Actions

Work Header

Give your heart a break

Summary:

Simon can’t believe it. Wilhelm Andersson,
Kristina Andersson’s (their economic minister) son will hold a speech in his next charity event without having any idea what he’s talking about?! As he told Marcus, his boyfriend, he’ll ignore this arrogant brat the whole evening.
But what happens when Wilhelm is nothing like Simon expected him to be?

OR

the (kinda) enemies to friends to lover-story where Wille is a mess due to his past and his family and Simon deserves better than settling for his friend Marcus.

Chapter Text

Wilhelm couldn‘t sleep. 

He turned to the other side under the warm duvet and sighed softly. He didn‘t really know what kept him up. He chewed his lip thoughtfully. 

In Wilhelm’s situation it was hard to trust people. Finding someone trustworthy when your mother was a famous politician wasn’t easy. So he hadn’t many friends. But there was someone he could always count on. 

Wilhelm stood up quickly and dialed his brother‘s number. 

“Wille? What‘s up?“ 

“Hey, Erik. I know it‘s late, but…“ 

“That‘s okay. What‘s wrong, little brother?“ 

“Life in general.“ Wilhelm sighed again. 

“Are we feeling dramatic tonight?“ Erik tried to joke to cheer Wilhelm up. 

“Maybe. I don’t want to give this speech. I was just out with some friends last weekend! But in the pictures I look like I’m completely wasted. This isn’t fair.“ Wilhelm complained. 

Erik nodded. “So you weren’t drunk?” 

”No. Not much. I was fine!”

”And your date was someone we know?” 

Silence. Wilhelm knew he had made out with someone on the dancefloor but the details were blurry now. 

”You don’t remember?” Erik asked with a grin. 

Wilhelm groaned. ”No. Okay, I don’t! But it’s still been exaggerated. Mom is…  Come on!  Why do I have to go to this boring charity event now and then speak in front of all them too? I just want to hide in the apartment, until everybody talks about something else.” 

Erik sighed. ”I‘m sorry, Wille. You know what? I‘m coming over in a few hours. We can have breakfast together.“ 

Wilhelm smiled and exhaled relieved. “That sounds nice.“ 

Erik continued with a comforting tone. “But you need to sleep now.“ 

”I know.” Wilhelm chuckled unamused.

 ”Otherwise I’ll look puffy for my speech and god forbid I have some eye circles !” He imitated his mother’s voice. 

Erik smiled. ”Can’t wait to hear your speech.” 

”Urgh. Screw you, Erik.” 

”I’m hanging up then, okay?”

”Yeah, yeah. See you tomorrow.” 

”Love you.” 

”Love you too, big annoying brother.” Wilhelm rolled his eyes. 

Erik was still laughing as Wilhelm hung up. 

~*~ 

“Ready for your speech, my dear?“ 

Wilhelm rolled his eyes and was happy his mother couldn‘t see him on the phone. 

“Mhm.“ He said shortly. 

”Please remember to speak loud and clearly and not too fast.” 

Wilhelm sighed. ”I’ll try.” 

”Wilhelm.” His mother sounded stern. 

”This is important. You have to take this seriously.” 

Another sigh from Wilhelm. ”I know.“ 

”I don’t think I need to remind you that you’re not allowed to make any more mistakes. The public has to see you’ve changed. No more parties.” 

Wilhelm’s shoulder tensed. ”I’m not… allowed to go to parties anymore?” He asked incredulously. ”Please, Mamma,” Wilhelm added with a small voice. “I just want to live my life… Why can’t I go out?” 

”You can’t just live your life without thinking about the consequences for my position. This is a privilege!” 

Wilhelm looked down. ”Okay.” 

Maybe it was a privilege to be part of an influential family but it came with complications too. Wilhelm hated the spotlight and now his Mother was forcing him to give a speech in front of everyone. Pressuring him like this wasn’t helping with his anxiety either. He felt almost shaky and his heart was beating much faster since the beginning of the call. 

”I have to go. I need a moment before the speech on my own. Talk to you later?”

”Okay. You’ll be fine, Wilhelm.” His mother said. 

”Bye.” 

Wilhelm hung up and took a deep breath. He opened a conversation on his phone.

Wilhelm: Mamma just called. 

Erik: Oh no. Wille, you’ll do amazing.

Wilhelm: I’m so so nervous. She sounded disappointed already and if I mess this up…  😕

Erik: You won’t. Deep breath. You can do this. 

Wilhelm: I’m not sure.

Erik: I AM sure. Where are you? 

Wilhelm: Somewhere backstage? 

Erik: I’ll come and find you. 

Wilhelm: Can I have a hug?  🥺

Erik: Of course. I’m almost there. 🤗

Wilhelm:  🤗

Wilhelm looked up minutes later and fell into his brother’s arms. He hated how much talking to his mother made him feel like a child. 

”Are you going to stay for the speech?” 

”I’m here for you. First Row. Proudest brother.” Erik stroked his back. 

”Cheesy.” Wilhelm held his brother tighter. “Thank you.” He mumbled into Erik’s chest. 

~*~ 

Oh and by the way… the son of our economic  minister is holding the speech tonight.

Simon’s eyes had widened. His boss, Elsa, had dropped this casually just before the charity event. Simon had worked hard to organise this. The plan was, that either Elsa or himself would say a few words. And now it would be some spoiled, rich, arrogant brat, who would’ve no idea what he was even talking about. 

Simon was sure Wilhelm Andersson didn’t grew up in an ugly, high rise building, stigmatized by society as a problematic teenager or child. 

Their organization had been created to support and help young people in difficult situations. And now  party prince  himself, as Simon called him secretly, when he got a flash of his life in some scandal magazine would appear and say something fake supportive and  oh so fucking generous.  

Simon couldn’t stand the hypocrisy. Yes, he had never meet him in person, but they were all the same. So he thought.

~*~ 

After Wilhelm’s speech, Simon was still pretty sure of his opinion. The expensive suit, his golden watch, his impeccable haircut all added up to one thing. 

There was just his occasional lip chewing when he paused in his speech. Simon wondered why he was nervous. This should’ve been no big deal for a child from a political family, right? It was enough to make Simon pause his critical thoughts. He couldn’t hate on him for showing some insecurity. He had frowned and continued to listen. 

When everybody was hitting the buffet, he did so too. It was time to socialize and be nice to their big donors. What he wasn’t expecting is almost bumping into the  party prince , because Wilhelm wasn’t looking where he was going. 

”Hey!” Simon exclaimed, a little annoyed. 

Wilhelm looked up. ”Hey?” He shot him a questioning look. 

Simon looked incredulous. ”No, not  hey  as in  hello hey  as in watch where you’re going!” 

~*~ 

Finally the speech was behind him and Wilhelm had managed it pretty well, he thought. At least he hadn’t panicked in front of everyone or begun to stutter. Right after that he wanted to join Erik, but he didn’t see him. So he walked around, looking for him and that was when he bumped into the stranger. 

The moment the stranger said hey, Wilhelm looked up and couldn’t help but notice how handsome the stranger was. His curly hair and his beautiful skin were just the first hints. Sadly the handsome young man didn’t want to greet him, but wanted to complain about Wilhelm’s clumsyness. His smile disappeared. 

”Sorry.” Wilhelm muttered and looked down. 

”You people are unbelieveable! Do you really think everybody just wants to greet the perfect politician boy?! Some of us aren’t interested or impressed!” The stranger snapped at him. 

Wilhelm frowned. ”What?! I-No! I don’t think that…It-It was just a misunderstanding.” He stuttered, not realising that he was biting on one thumbnail.  Why is he so mean to me?  He thought confused and a little hurt. 

The other man sighed. 

”Okay, sure,” he said finally. 

~*~ 

Simon watched the son of their economy minister and frowned. He wasn’t looking very confident or superior right now. He looked like Simon’s words had really affected him. 

Fuck. Maybe you shouldn’t judge people so fast.  He shook his head and took a step towards him. ”Look, I’m sorry… I shouldn’t have said that. I just-” He smiled apologetically. ”Sorry, I’m not trying to be a dick. It was a good speech,” he added.  I still don’t think it was your place to talk, but you did well. “I’m Simon, by the way. I work for the charity.”

Wilhelm’s face still looked a bit like he’d been slapped, but he slowly lit up with a shy smile. ”Hi. I’m-I’m glad you liked it. It wasn’t exactly my decision to do this… Not-not because I think that your organization isn’t important!” He said hastily. 

Simon chuckled softly. ”Okay, so why wasn’t it your decision, Wilhelm?” 

~*~ 

Wilhelm exhaled, relieved. The handsome man was friendly now. He knew his name, but Wilhelm could get used to him saying it. His voice sounded warm now and had lost all anger in it. But how could he answer his question, without looking like a fool. 

He took a deep breath and decided to be honest. ”Because… okay, it was set up to make us look good, I guess you know that, but I’m really not good at talking in public. Or at all really.” His cheeks heated and he stroke his hair out of his face. 

Simon smiled softly. ”Oops. Then you chose the wrong family.“  

Wilhelm laughed softly. ”Yeah. Oops. Can’t really choose your parents I guess.”  

”Yeah…” Simon looked lost in thoughts for a moment, looking across the room, then he looked at Wilhelm again. ”I have to go back to work but… It was nice to meet you, Wilhelm.” 

”Nice to meet you. Simon.” Wilhelm said politely, enjoying the feel of Simon’s name on his tongue, then berating himself for being so silly, especially about someone he’d just met.

”I can’t believe I’m saying this,” Simon said, considering him, “but I think I spoke too soon.”

Wilhelm smiled, despite himself. ”I thought I sensed some animosity against people like me in the beginning of our conversation?” 

”Yeah, well, unfortunately people like you - in your social circle, I mean - usually prove me right. But you might just be an exception.”

And Wilhelm wanted to be an exception.

Simon turned to go then. “I might see you around, Wilhelm Andersson.”

“Wille,” Wilhelm managed, to Simon’s back, making him turn back. “You can… um. Wille.”

Simon nodded, and a slow smile spread over his face.

“See you around then, Wille.”

And then he was gone.