Actions

Work Header

Baker's Boy

Summary:

Wilhelm is unextraordinary, at least in his own mind. All he cares for is his older brother Erik, baking, and the owner of the bakery, Flora. He's a romantic, and not in the way most people defined themselves. Rather he finds himself inventing the stories of the people who come through the bakery. He likes seeing the happiness in each and every person. He is obsessed with love, and he has a love for each of the people in his life (which aren't many).

Simon is the opposite, a quiet person who seems to dislike everyone. He's disconnected from every person he interacts with, even his friends. He is chasing a connection he's unsure exists. He doesn't believe a person could ever know him fully, he's changing too often and too closed off. He keeps secrets from each person he was close to. There is always a small part of him that he keeps just for himself with each of them.

The two work opposite of each other, Wille in Flora's, a bakery he adored. Simon in a bookstore where the owner rarely shows up let alone knows what happens in the store, just across the street. When Flora decides to bring some bread to Simon at the end of his last shift before the holidays, it makes the two come together for the first time.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Wille the Baker

Summary:

"But his love wasn't so black and white, it was grey. He loved her because she was the bakery and the bakery was her. She was as warm as it was in the cold seasons and as fiery as it was in the heat. It was impossible not to love the person he spent many of his hours with."

Chapter Text

Wilhelm was not an outstanding person, at least in his own eyes. He kept to himself and he hated people his age more than he liked them. What he liked was baking. He understood how weird that made him. He was weird and he understood that, and everyone around him hadn’t told him otherwise. But he wasn’t outstanding. Not even in baking, especially not in baking. He was average at best. He wasn’t ever going to be an outstanding baker that won awards for his bread, or whatever a baker considered an accomplishment.

He just liked baking. It relaxed him. And it was quiet. Oh was the bakery so quiet, always nearly deserted beside himself and the stout older woman who owned the bakery. It was just far enough from his school that rarely any students would visit after school. He was safe there, It was warm in the winter and fall and way too fucking hot in the summer but he didn’t mind it. Flora, the woman who ran the bakery, had whipped him into shape when he had complained his first summer working at the bakery.

“Wille, do not start with me. I have more flesh on my right arm than you do on your entire body.” She scolded, but Wille couldn’t help but laugh.

“This body is hard to lug around and you find it funny?” She had continued but she was smiling.

“This body is beautiful Ms. Flora.” Wille teased affectionately and hugged her, “You got it from your love for baking. A great baker must taste their work!"

“Yes and the three children that came from it.” She had gently pushed him off, it had been too hot for a hug, “And somehow I have a fourth child here at work.”

“Ms. Flora, you were the one who hired me.” Wille smiled and wiped the sweat on his sleeve.

“Yes, well I thought you’d be better than those damn kids of mine,” Flora complained as she walked back toward the wall of freshly baked cookies.

“Awh, Ms. Flora, you’re breaking my heart!” Wille laughed as Flora waved him off and rolled her eyes.

Now that it was his second winter, Ms. Flora had learned to love Wille for his hard work. He had learned to love her for her intolerance for complaints as she complained every moment he spent with her in the bakery. Wille liked the winter the most, the Earth was covered in white and everyone seemed to be walking closer to each other. Maybe because the cold was an excuse for them to huddle closer to the people they loved, he didn’t care, he found it beautiful. Winter was also the best time for business.

The bakery that was simply named ‘Flora’s’ was found on a small walkable street. It brought people of all ages to it, the warm lights, the stout woman who always seemed to have a smile to offer, and the young student who seemed to be too handsome to be shy. Families with small children would come in for Ms. Flora’s freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. University students would come for last-minute birthday cakes that Wille was only trusted to carefully inscribe with a message.

Older mothers who had become grandmothers would come for the fresh bread. They would shower Wille with compliments since he had started working. If there hadn’t been a counter between them, Wille was convinced they’d pinch his cheeks too hard and try to get him set up with their grandchildren.

Wille loved the winter because he could feel the small bouts of human happiness in each person who entered and eventually left. How the university students would laugh and bicker about what flavor was their friend’s favorite. Or a child asking for one more cookie, and the way they would light up when Wille would give them one without ringing them up.

Of course that came with a cost, Flora would give him a sharp look and then take it out of his pay without warning. He had learned after the second time that it wasn’t something he’d get fired for so he continued. Two dollars from his paycheck was worth the bright smile.

Flora seemed to be at her kindest in the winter, maybe for the same reasons that Wille was. He had seen how she touched her wedding ring each time she saw an older couple walk in together. She would smile if they had any ounce of youth within them. She would send them off with an extra loaf of bread or maybe a pastry she had made just for the season.

Wille didn't dare to joke about her kindness coming out of her paycheck, she didn't even have one, to begin with. He would only smile and she would smile back. He liked winter because of how warm it made people, maybe staying warm had started out of survival but it had turned into something more, something richer than just physical survival.

Maybe he also liked winter because none of the kids from his school dared to walk home from school. He liked being the only student to leave on foot. He would change in the back every day and put on a sweater that fit the sky that day and his apron. Flora had noticed he'd matched himself with the sky his first winter working there. She found him beautiful for it. How did a sixteen-year-old boy learn to focus on such small details?

"You are something Wilhelm," She had told him.

Wilhelm hadn't known that she had noticed his harmless habit so he gave her a confused smile. She shook her head and the thought went with it. Wille had just shrugged it off that day.

"You are something too, Ms. Flora" Wille had said because she really was.

The two had built a bond that was unspoken respect and adoration. Wille loved Flora, the same way she loved him. He loved that she would scold him like he were her flesh and blood and he would be able to act like the child he still was with her even at seventeen.

She would tug the ties to his apron and undo them whenever she'd pass by him, laughing at him when he'd whine but end up laughing with her. He would smother her the way he knew the grandmother customers wanted him to with them.

"You are such a nuisance" Flora would attempt to push him off, but of course, she was very gentle. Her kids had all outgrown her home that was just upstairs and Wille reminded her of her youngest.

"You love me Ms. Flora" Would be all Wille would be able to manage before Ms. Flora would pull away and nod ever so slightly while telling him to get back to work.

Wille was happy there, at 'Flora's' with her. He would stay late just to make sure that the showing cases were pristine even when Flora had gone up to her home and left him to clean up after closing. He appreciated the trust she had put in him after just a bit over a year old working there.

It was his last day before his few days off for the holidays. He could hear Flora come down the stairs as he was putting his apron away. She had already changed into what he could only assume to be what she slept in. It was unlike her very put-together outfits he'd seen her in.

"Wille, honey, don't forget to take a few loaves of bread home to your family." She had been clearly worried he had left, she was wearing an expression of relief.

"Yes, Ma'am. What can I take?" Wille asked, moving toward the front of the store.

"Ah, just let me pack them for you. Get bundled up, it'll be cold at this time of the evening." Flora pushed him back toward the back room, causing him to smile.

"Yes, Ma'am." Wille smiles wider and put on his coat and scarf before meeting Flora at the front of the store.

She had packed a full bag of some bread she had baked that morning. The bag contained bread he knew to slice and use for toast, some dinner rolls for the holiday dinners they'd have, and some pastries to eat that evening. She tied the bag and pressed it into Wille's arms. It was all still warm.

"Thank you, Ms. Flora." Wille smiles at her, hugging the bag closer.

The young boy kissed the older woman on the cheek and they both smiled.

"Don't crush the bread, or the heat will escape." Flora scolded and Wille immediately loosened his hold.

"Happy Holidays Ms. Flora," Wille whispered and Flora nodded, tucking an envelope into his coat pocket.

"Go, your mama is expecting you." Flora says, "Happy Holidays Wilhelm."

Wille nodded and waved as he walked out of the bakery. He took a deep breath as he stepped outside but the cold breath made him cough. He laughed it off though the street was deserted at that time of the evening. He put on his headphones as he walked home.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Just as Flora had told him, Wille's family had been waiting for him. His older brother Erik was home from university and both his parents were home from work. He took off his coat and scarf before his mother heard him.

"Welcome home Wille" She smiled and helped him with the bag of bread.

"Hi mama, Ms. Flora sends her love." He says as he slipped off his shoes. "Or rather her bread."

"Tell her thank you" Wille's mama caressed his cheek and he leaned into her touch.

"Oh, you're freezing. Go ahead and sit with your brother, dinner will be ready." His mama turned and walked the narrow hallway toward the kitchen.

"Mama," Wille called, his mom turned, "There are some pastries in there that she expects us to eat after dinner tonight."

She smiled and nodded, "of course, I'll prepare them."

Wille nodded and went into the living room where his brother was reading. Erik looked up when Wille sat down on the couch with a soft thud.

"Welcome back Wille." Erik smiled handsomely.

Wille knew that if the older regulars of the bakery ever set their eyes on his brother, they'd forget all about him. They'd start to ask Wille about his brother, how he was doing in university. And his brother would enable it, he was a charmer, almost prince-like especially with grandmothers.

Wille smiled, "I should be saying that. How's school been?"

"Mm, not horrible nor amazing. Just busy." Erik had shut his book and set it down. "What about you?"

"Um, the same. Not horrible, nor amazing." Wille says.

"Any new friends?" Erik asked, resting his arm along the back of the couch as he leaned back.

"I would need old friends to have new ones," Wille mumbled and fidgeted, his thumbnail between his teeth.

"Wille, stop it with that." Wille and Erik's father had entered the living room.

"Hello to you too Papa" Wille sighed and pulled his thumbnail from his teeth.

"Wilhelm, that attitude isn't appreciated." His father said back.

"Mm," Wille hummed and leaned against his brother who ruffled his long blond hair a bit.

"Boys, dinner is ready." Their mother had come from the kitchen.

"Coming." The brothers said in unison and both got up, passing their father to go into the dining room.

They sat down, Erik calmly served everyone their dinners as Wille poured them all some water to have with it. Their parents softly thanked them for each act then they sat together in silence. The room was only filled with some scrapes of their forks and accidental taps of glass hitting a ceramic plate.

"Mm, how was work, Wille?" His mother asked as she wiped her lips on the cloth napkin she had.

"It was okay," Wille smiles, "There was a girl-"

"A girl from school?" His father cut him off.

"No, a little girl Papa," Wille glanced at his father, "She came in with her parents and she had her hair tied up with two red bows. She was quiet but sweet, and only wanted one cookie. Her little brother was asleep but she made sure he'd have something to eat later."

Wille knew that his parents wouldn't understand why he felt the need to share the story, but Erik smiled and nodded. The brothers seemed to have the same love for the little things that humans did. Maybe they had both somehow learned to romanticize human behavior and Wille was glad they had.

"Sounds lovely, and Flora? How is she?" Their mother asked as she cut the tender chicken she had baked.

"Mm she's good, apparently she's going to her oldest's for the holidays." Wille was glad he at least knew Flora wouldn't be alone during the cold days the bakery was closed.

"That's lovely." His mother smiled.

The rest of the dinner was quiet. Wille would look at his brother who had begun reading as he ate. He wondered what he was reading. He didn't bother to ask Erik, now that he was in university he might start a conversation that Wille didn't have the capacity to finish.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Once dinner was eaten Wille stood up, he was determined to be the one to prepare the dessert. Meanwhile, Erik took up the plates and started to wash them. Their parents stayed in the dining room.

"What are you reading?" Wille asked without looking at his brother, he was readying the oven.

"Mm, Shakespeare. Not sure why, but I guess this kind of literature is important." Erik shrugged.

"I guess if you want to be a snob. Do you like it?" Wille asked as he turned.

Erik just shrugged so Wille took up one of the plates Erik had just washed and began to dry it. Erik smiled a little and turned off the water, drying his hands.

"I do." He admitted. "Guess that makes me a snob."

Wille laughed a little and shook his head as he continued to dry the plates. Just as he finished, the oven went off and he went to put the pastries in to warm up. He made sure they didn't dry out then plated the now-warmed desserts.

Erik has been standing, leaning against the counter reading as Wille worked on the pastries. Wille walked the plate of dessert out to the dining room and Erik followed with small plates. The two served their parents and then sat down. Their parents had begun returning emails for work so they just ate, again, in silence.

Wille had been excused to his room, and Erik said he was willing to clean up. Wille laid down on his bed and sighed. He lay on his stomach and stared at the wall as the clothes he was wearing smelled like bread. He missed the bakery already. His home life wasn't awful but he'd take Flora's complaining over the silence of his family.

Wille had figured out his family, his father was nothing extraordinary, like him. He went to work, helped pay the bills with that work, and spoke very little but just enough to scold Wille or tell him what to do. His mama was similar, she spoke more, at least pretended to care. Maybe she truly did, even if she didn't, she put on a more convincing act than his father.

Erik was Wille's first muse. Maybe that's why Wille had grown up finding the beauty in each person he had never interacted with. Maybe it was because of Erik that Wille had given each regular a story and adjusted it each time they told him about themselves.

Erik was the reason for Wille's curiosity, he was his first love and Flora was his current love. Wille wondered if he'd ever have a next love or would be forced to only love Flora until the world took her from him. He didn't want to lose her, for fear he's never found another love. Or maybe it was because he was her love too.

He knew it was weird to consider an older woman who loved him as if he were her child as his current love. But his love wasn't so black and white, it was grey. He loved her because she was the bakery and the bakery was her. She was as warm as it was in the cold seasons and as fiery as it was in the heat. It was impossible not to love the person he spent many of his hours with.

Wille started to fall asleep to the thought of Flora. He curled into himself as he felt Erik pull his blankets over him. Wille figured he'd just sleep in his grey sweater that wafted warm bread into his nose, he didn't want to rid himself of the feeling the bakery gave him. It would be a couple of days too long before he'd be able to return and he was already missing it.

Chapter 2: Simon the Book Keeper

Summary:

Simon waved back and sat at the counter, leaning against it. He wondered if Lukas’ girlfriend knew everything about him and the other way around. He wondered if it was even possible for a person to truly know another person as well as they know themselves. To be fair, he didn’t believe anyone was ever done getting to know themselves, but maybe other people were capable of keeping up with their loved ones’ forever-changing selves.

Chapter Text

Simon was a complicated boy. Not in the way many would assume. He was lonely, not because he wasn’t completely surrounded by people but because he was lost within them. Now if anyone were to ask, he wasn’t one to have a sob story. He was privileged in his eyes but not in many others. His mother had a steady job that didn’t have any risk, he had food on the table, a roof over his head. Sure, he had a single mother and an older sister that felt that she belonged to a higher class but he believed he was privileged. He was someone in between the people at his private school and the people of his hometown. But he was loved, by his mother, his sister, and the handful of friends he had both at home and at school. But he always felt stuck, unable to find people who were raised similarly and lived the same. His friends from home didn’t fully understand what it was like to be amongst the rich kids at school. And of course, the rich kids didn’t know what it was like to walk in on their mama worrying about how to make ends meet with the two tuition payments hanging over her.

Simon tried his best to help in any way that he could. His mama refused to allow him to contribute to any of the bills.

“Bills, as your mother, are my responsibility.” She would say to him whenever he’d offered to help.

He had no choice but to accept that he wouldn’t win that argument. He knew that his buying the groceries sometimes or anything he may have wanted was enough for his mama, to relieve her of any added stress. He had found a job he adored. It was a commute, especially from school but he made sure to make it to the bookstore each day after school. From 4 pm to 9 pm, Simon was devout to the books in the compact store. He would breathe in the smell of the old and new literature. He would reorganize the shelves, check out customers, and sweep. The man who owned the place seemed to keep it for someone else. He rarely came by, just to make sure that everything was in order before leaving. It was just Simon most days. He had coworkers who were students from the nearby school, but they rarely worked. The university student named Lukas was really the only one Simon liked to work with. He was busy with school most days so he only worked when one of the other students had called in sick.

Simon, as someone freshly seventeen, found Lukas to be one of the most interesting people in the world. Lukas was a warm person, handsome too. He would always smile and greet each person that entered the bookstore yet each time their backs were turned, he’d look at Simon and roll his eyes. Simon couldn’t help but laugh. Simon might not believe he was easily understood by most people, but Lukas understood his dislike of people. Maybe it was because of how stuck he was between two worlds but Simon never clicked with people as well as he felt he should. There was not one person in Simon’s life that truly understood every part of him. It made him lonely, knowing that and knowing that no one would at least try to learn every part of him.

“Simme!” Lukas called for Simon, who was back behind the many stacks of books that needed organizing.

“Mm?” Simon asked, peeking out from behind the stack that he was attempting to tackle before his shift ended.

“Your friends are here.” Lukas pointed and made a joking face as Simon’s friends grinned and waved from the window.

“Oh…weird,” Simon says and dusted his hands off on his jeans before motioning for them to come in.

“Ayub, Rosh, what’s up?” Simon asked gently as they took off their coats and hung them up.

“Mm, not much.” Ayub smiled awkwardly.

“We haven’t seen you much lately, and we know you basically live here after school,” Rosh spoke up.

“Mhm, is there something you needed?” Simon rocked on his heels.

These two were the people Simon felt were the closest to understanding him the most. But they were from Bajärstad, they knew nothing about the private school Simon went to and all the expectations that came with it. It was his fault for that, but he knew that there was something he would never understand either, so he kept it to himself. Ayub wasn’t much of a talker, he was blunt when he did speak, and he was unexpectedly hilarious even when he wasn’t trying to be. Rosh was the hard ass out of the three of them. The two young boys would tease her about being their mother away from their own. She was firm in her beliefs and opinions. She was one who always voiced them. Simon appreciated them both for their habit of being straightforward and honest with him. Simon was very unlike them in that department. He tended to keep it all within himself, none of his issues were important enough to voice to others. Most of the time, all of his issues could be sort out within a few hours. And he could do it on his own.

“Just your company old friend!” Ayub clapped Simon on the shoulder.

“Mm I can’t” Simon sighed, in reality, he wasn’t very interested in hanging out that night.

“C’mon, just let Lukas here cover the close and we’ll go get some pizza, and play some video games.” Rosh nudged Simon, making his smile a bit.

“That sounds fun, but I can’t. Lukas is leaving soon.” Simon countered.

“I have a study date with my girlfriend!” Lukas called out, he was now behind the stack of books where Simon once was.

“Girlfriend?” Rosh asked in a hushed voice.

Simon nodded, confused as to why Rosh was asking.

“Why? Do you like him?” Simon teased and smiled.

“Don’t be an idiot Eriksson.” Rosh motioned to herself, “I am a woman-only kind of girl.”

The three laughed together and Ayub looked where Lukas had disappeared.

“Do you like him Simme?” He asked.

Simon made a face and shook his head, “Definitely not, he’s a bit of a weirdo and just my friend.”

“Mhm sure.” Rosh teased and smiled, “But that’s another topic, come hang out!”

“I told you I can’t” Simon smiled, “We’ll hang out soon, I promise.”

Ayub and Rosh finally accepted their defeat and left. Simon took a deep breath and walked back toward the big stack of books. Lukas smiled at him and checked the time, asking him silently if he could leave now. Simon just laughed and told him to leave. He liked being alone in the bookstore. Lukas nodded and went to the backroom where he grabbed his coat and hat. He waved goodbye to Simon and left quickly. Simon waved back and sat at the counter, leaning against it. He wondered if Lukas’ girlfriend knew everything about him and the other way around. He wondered if it was even possible for a person to truly know another person as well as they know themselves. To be fair, he didn’t believe anyone was ever done getting to know themselves, but maybe other people were capable of keeping up with their loved ones’ forever-changing selves.

Simon took in a deep breath, the sun had gone down just minutes after he had arrived for work. He stared at the dark street outside of the bookstore, his eyes sticking to the bakery just across the way. The lights were off of course but the lights above seemed to always be on, no matter the time of day. Simon had seen the older woman who seemed to never leave and noticed that there was only ever one worker that went to work at the same time he had arrived at the bookstore. He wasn’t the most observant person, but after six months of sitting in one place, people tended to slip into his consciousness. Simon hadn’t seen the worker up close, and never had the time or energy to go across the street and pick up anything. But he had seen how happy people seemed to be when they left the bakery.

“Hmm, maybe they sell edibles,” Simon mumbled to himself then laughed.

He stood and put on the radio which seemed to be older than he was. He tuned it to the only station that was on for the evening, classical music. It was run by a woman who had a voice that seemed to be firm and sweet at the same time. She would calmly announce the title of the song that had been playing then announce the song that will play next. It was a relaxed handoff between her and the soft classical music. Simon hummed softly to the melodies that played, he had listened to the radio each night that he worked alone, which was more often than not. He rapped his fingers on the cover of the book he was holding as he scanned for its place on the shelf.

He had finally put away all the stacked books when the small bell on the door rang. It was the owner. He was a nice man but didn’t seem to be much of a reader but he had hired Simon so Simon liked him enough.

“Hello, Simon.” The man didn’t take off his coat.

“Hello, Mr. Eklund,” Simon said, sitting down behind the counter. “Anything you need today?”

“Hm yes, my wife. She would like a book for Christmas.” The man glanced around the bookstore, it was small but still complicated.

“What genres does she tend to like?” Simon asked, having a feeling the man was asking for help.

“Uh, fiction.” The man offered, it wasn’t much, fiction was a broad genre.

“I can look for something,” Simon replied, the man just nodded and stood by the counter.

Simon stood, “Please, sit. It may take some time.”

The man nodded and took Simon’s place. Simon took a breath and walked toward the section on adult fiction. He figured a married woman with some children would want something she could relate to. He thought a bit, maybe a romance. Mr. Eklund seemed like a nice man, but he didn’t seem like such a good husband. Maybe it was just Simon’s predisposed image of the man, the story of his boss he had made up in his mind. He scanned the books on each shelf, he had been the one to put away all of these books. He tilted his head as he found a book that was white, had a simple title, and was thin. It was long enough for her to be committed to the story but short enough that it wouldn’t take her from her kids for too long. Simon read the summary, deciding that would be the book Mrs. Eklund would enjoy.

“Mr. Eklund?” Simon asked, the man had been glued to his phone.

“Yes? sorry.” The man tucked his phone into his coat pocket as he stood.

“I have found a book for her,” Simon said, not offering the synopsis since it didn’t seem that he’d care to know.

“Great, thank you, Simon.” The man moved around the counter and looked at Simon. “Could you gift wrap it?”

“Uh, we don’t gift wrap here. Would you like a bag?” Simon asked, moving behind the counter.

Mr. Eklund swallowed hard, his ears turning pink.

“No, no, I will- I’ll figure it out.” The man looked at the book and Simon slid it to him.

“Well then, I hope that she enjoys it.” Simon forced a polite smile.

“Yes, me too.” The man turned on his heels and left the bookstore.

Simon sat back down and sighed a little. He rested his face in his hands and looked out the windows of the bookstore yet again. It had begun snowing and a chill ran through his body. Simon checked the time. He had an hour and a half left until he could close the store. He knew that Mr. Eklund would be the last person beside Simon in the bookstore that day so he wandered the different shelves of the bookstore. Luckily it was small enough that he could hear and see any person who might come in. Simon dragged his fingers along the wood of the bookshelf that held the fantasy section. He wondered about the appeal of the genre. He didn’t feel like finding out so he returned to adult fiction. He sighed and looked for a book that maybe would let him escape. He let the yellowed pages of an old book waft the familiar scent toward him. It was a collection of Shakespeare’s plays. He combed through the first play and decided that that would entertain him enough during the holidays.

Simon checked the price of the book, only a couple of dollars. He took out the loose cash he had in his bag and checked himself out. He then opened the book and began reading. He struggled, Shakespeare was a struggle. It was hard to read, especially since it had been translated. But slowly he had gotten to understand, or rather learned to assume what Shakespeare had said, and he began to imagine the story in his mind. He mumbled the words to himself. He wished that the music that was playing on the radio suited the tone of the play more. He shut the book at the peak of the drama. Shakespeare was dramatic, which felt like an understatement. But Shakespeare had sped up time. It was time for closing.

Simon quickly got up, as if he were racing the ghost of the people who would visit right before close. He locked the door and turned the small sign from ‘Open’ to ‘Closed’. He then tucked his book away into his school bag and began sweeping. Now that the bookstore was closed, Simon played music from the speakers. He sang along as he lifted up the dust from the floor with the broom. He coughed gently as he pushed any rubbish that came from the limited foot traffic of the bookstore. He then tossed it away. He found any books that were out of place and returned them to their homes before dusting the shelves. He took it slow so he didn’t sweat.

Just then there was a knock at the door. It was the older woman from across the street, from ‘Flora’s’.

“We’re closed, I’m sorry Ma’am,” Simon called out from where he was.

Flora shook her head and held up the bag that was full of leftover bread. Simon tilted his head and set down the duster on the counter and approached the door. The older woman had her coat on but her legs were still exposed. Simon rushed when he had seen her in that state and unlocked the door. He pulled it open and looked at the woman.

“I saw that you were still here. It’s quite late.” The stout woman stepped into the bookstore.

“Yes, I am just closing up,” Simon said, shutting the door behind her.

“Yes well, I am not here to shop.” Flora smiled, “I am Flora, and I own the bakery across the street.”

“Yes Ma’am, I know.” Simon smiles forcefully.

“You know that I’m Flora?” She teased.

Simon’s eyes widened and he shook his head, causing the older woman to laugh. Her laughter was boisterous. Simon wasn’t sure that he liked it, but he didn’t hate it.

“N-no ma’am, I just recognize you from the bakery.” Simon corrected himself.

“Yes, I know. And I recognize you from this bookstore.” Flora smiled.

“Yes, well, what can I help you with?” Simon asked, wanting to get home already.

“Ah, I wanted to bring you some bread. You seem to close up here often. It’s quite late, especially for a student such as you.” Flora held out the bag of baked goods.

“Oh, well.” Simon started and took the bread, “I’m usually the only one able to close.”

“Well, I will let you finish up. There are some dinner rolls in there and some pastries that would be best tonight.” Flora explained, “And a loaf of bread, you can slice and toast that one.”

“Thank you, ma’am.” Simon smiled shyly and set the bag down on the counter so he wouldn’t forget it.

“Well then, Happy Holidays…uhm?” Flora asked.

“Oh, Simon, my name is Simon.” Simon smiled and tucked his hands into his sweatshirt pockets, he didn’t want the woman to shake his hand.

“Nice to meet you, Simon.” Flora hummed and turned.

“Happy Holidays to you too, Ms. Flora,” Simon said as he rushed to open the door for the stout woman.

She walked out and Simon shut the door behind her. His eyes followed her as she walked back across the street and went into the door beside the bakery. Then the lights upstairs went out and the street was officially asleep. Simon locked the door and took another breath. He turned and grabbed his things, getting his jacket and hat on then tucked the bread into his backpack before he left the bookstore as well.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Simon arrived home quite quickly even though he had taken the late-night bus which seemed to travel many miles slower than the usual buses. He said nothing as he walked into the home, he was worried that his family had already gone to sleep. His mama was asleep on the couch, only illuminated by the flickering tv. Simon walked over and kissed her forehead and adjusted the blanket she had splayed onto her small frame. He smiled a little when his mama didn’t even stir. He then retrieved the bread from his bag and went into the kitchen. He sliced the loaf of bread and put it away to preserve its freshness for future breakfasts ahead. He then warmed up the leftovers Sara must have packed for him. He watched the food as the soft sound of sizzling filled the small kitchen.

He decided, since he was eating pasta, that he would eat a slice of bread with it. He added some ketchup to his pasta before taking a piece of bread he had just sliced. He then shuffled into his room and began to eat at his desk. The silence of the house was killing him. He sucked in a breath and wiped his mouth before he put on some music from his phone. He made sure it wasn’t too loud as he just hummed and ate. He turned when he heard a knock on his bedroom door. It swung open before he even called for them to come in.

“Oh Sara, I thought you were asleep,” Simon said gently as Sara shut the door behind her and sat on his bed.

“I’m not,” Sara said back and hugged her legs.

“I know that now.” Simon exhaled through his nose as he continued to eat.

“Ayub and Rosh were looking for you earlier.” Sara leaned against the wall and watched Simon eat.

“I know, they found me. At work.” Simon said and bit into the slice of bread.

He sucked in a breath, it was delicious.

“Where did you get that bread? Mama only gets the whole wheat kind.” Sara asked, moving closer.

“The bakery, across from the bookstore. Here,” Simon fed Sara a piece of the bread.

“Aren’t bakeries expensive?” Sara chewed, not reacting to the bread at all.

“Sometimes, but the owner came by and gave it to me. She saw me working late.” Simon shrugged and ate some more pasta.

“Have you ever talked to her before?” Sara asked, this was a habit of hers.

“Mm, no.” Simon shook his head and looked at Sara again.

“Then why?” She asked him.

Simon laughed a little and shrugged, “i don’t know, maybe for the holidays. Not everything has an answer, Sara.”

Sara always hated that reminder and Simon knew that. Sara stood up and walked out of Simon’s room without another word. Simon took a deep breath and finished the bread, shutting his eyes as the day finally sank into his body. He stood and put away his dirty dishes then went to brush his teeth before he grew to be too tired to do it. He then changed and stretched, cracking his aching back before he crawled into bed. He quickly texted Ayub and Rosh that they’ll hang out during the break from work. Just as he fell asleep, he remembered the pastries that Flora had told him to eat that night, but he didn’t move, he just let himself sleep off the day.

Chapter 3: For the First Time

Summary:

Wille looked at the curly headed stranger. He was tan, had to be natural, the sun was scarce in the winter. He has long lashes, a perfect nose for his face and slightly cracked, plump lips. Oh fuck.

Notes:

Hi! There is some Spanish in this chapter so translations will be in the notes at the end! Enjoy! <33

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It was the day of Christmas, Simon’s family wasn’t much of celebrators of the holiday. They would stay up until midnight on Christmas Eve and open their gifts. When it was morning all they did was make themselves breakfast and watch Christmas movies. Most of the day was spend just watching movies and playing board games as the little family they were. It was only in the evening, for dinner where they ordered Chinese food, would Ayub and Rosh would come over and spend the night. The three friends would convince Linda and Sara to watch an action movie for a change as they all ate their plateful of food together. Simon was happy, especially during these days. He had his family home, and his friends to support him to turn the movie marathon from Christmas to something much less cliché.

“Sara, we’ve already watched Elf!” Simon was playfully bickering with her.

“I was asleep!” Sara countered.

“Not my fault! I sat through it, and every time Mama or I tried to change it you’d wake up and tell us to keep it on!” Simon laughed and his sister smiled widely back.

“Fine, no Elf then. What about It’s A Wonderful Life?” Sara asked and found it in their large collection of DVDs.

“Never got that movie.” Ayub’s cheeks were full of food.

“Yea, because it’s so ancient! It has no captions and only in English!” Rosh laughed.

Simon motioned toward his friends and Sara rolled her eyes.

“How about an action movie? Rosh and Ayub are here now.” Linda suggested.

“It IS tradition.” Simon sung a little and took the remote from Sara who dramatically gasped.

Simon scrolled through the different movies on the streaming site. “Let’s choose one that isn’t older than most grandparents.”

“What about Disney Plus huh?” Rosh asked, setting down her plate.

“We don’t have that.” Simon shrugged.

“Ah, my Papa got it for the family this Christmas.” Rosh smiled widely.

“Can we leave it on our tv?” Sara asked, she had a love for Disney movies.

“Stupid question, just use my profile.” Rosh shrugged and laughed when Sara got up and hugged her.

“Rosh, thank you, we can help with payments if that’ll be better for your family.” Linda offered.

“Oh, well I’ll talk to Papa, but ’m sure he won’t mind.” Rosh smiled at Linda.

“Oh my gosh! Tangled!” Simon shouted and clicked it. “I’m sorry but no one else has a say, we are watching this movie!”

Ayub and Sara share a look and laugh as Rosh ruffled Simon’s curls. He had taken Sara’s spot on the floor, directly in front of the TV. Sara sat down next to him and hugged his arm, resting her head on his shoulder. He smiled and rested his head on hers as the movie began.

This is what Simon loved the most about the holidays. He, his sister and his friends were off from school so they were always around. And his mama always made sure to have the special days off in order to be apart of all the fun. He was surrounded in love, and he made sure they knew he loved them. This is what he loved about the winter.

One thing that Wille didn’t like about the winter was the holidays, ironic, he knew. Winter was all about the holidays, all of the seasonal drinks and foods. Flora had even been the one to bring up the idea of attempting to make some pastries that were seasonal. They had succeeded in making some candy cane and chocolate chip cookies but had failed in making any type of seasonal bread. Wille had suggested a swirl bread but they had failed to do the one thing it needed, the swirl.

It had taken them three days to call it quits. The bread didn’t rise the way they wanted it, they finally admitted defeat. They shared the last of the bread, which was much too strong in a peppermint flavor and called it day. Flora figured that their peppermint cookies were enough, they were a hit for kids of course.

Wille actually loved the preparations of Christmas more than the day itself. Christmas was, for the lack of a better word, a bummer. His parents weren’t the kinds to take away time from work. They worked on Christmas Eve and only were home because their offices were closed. Most of the employees wanted to be with their families, that was the only reason they were home. That’s how it had been for the past sixteen years, his mother had been on maternity leave Wille’s first Christmas. It was Erik’s first Christmas since he had gone to school, he had taken a gap year and was away last Christmas. Wille hated Christmas for the gifts as well.

He knew if he had ever said it aloud, he would be considered ungrateful but he truly never wanted anything, especially from his parents. If it wasn’t obvious enough, his parents weren’t very present. It was laughable how out of touch they were. But the laughter had died down between him and Erik by the time Wille was twelve, and Erik was fifteen. Wille would get a mountain of clothes that did not suit him, socks that were too big and occasionally a gift basket that they had gotten for the holidays.

Christmas was actually more depressing after each year passed. The routine was the same, Wille would open his gifts in the morning with Erik, exchanging glances then they would tell their parents they could go back to their separate offices to work.

This year wasn’t any different. Just as Wille got up and started to go toward his room to wallow surrounded by his socks that he assumed were meant for his father and the plethora of business casual shirts that were once again, a few sized too big, Erik stopped him.

“You have one more gift, from me.” Erik said gently and held out a wrapped box to Wille.

Wille smiled a little and took the gift, “I didn’t get you a gift, I’m sorry.”

“There’s nothing to be sorry about, you’re just a kid.” Erik said as Wille sat down next to him.

Wille nodded, making a note to go shopping once he returned to work. He then looked down at the box that sat on his lap. He shakily picked it up and began to unwrap it. Erik ruffled his hair as Wille smiled widely. It was a burnt orange sweater. The color the sky was most nights of the fall. It was a sweater that Erik knew that Wille had wanted. His habit of matching the sky was his and Erik’s secret, though Flora had caught on. It was her own secret to have. Wille smiled widely at the sight of it.

“Oh, it is perfect.” Wille whispered and smiled at Erik.

“I’m glad you like it.” Erik smiled and Wille hugged him closely.

“It’ll match my too-big socks and my gift basket.” Wille laughed, leaning into Erik and hugged him again.

He was relieved, not by the gift but rather the sentiment. If Wille ever doubted himself, how important he was, Erik was always there to let him know that he was important to his big brother. That was how it was for the first sixteen years of his life, Wille had Erik to tell him that he was important, someone to be better for.

Now that he had Flora, that was one more person that cared for him. That made two. He didn’t know if Flora only cared because he was the only person she could trust with the bakery or because she had grown to love him the way he loves her. He hoped it was the latter.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

The holidays had come and gone, Wille was back at work on New Year's day. Flora wasn't much a drinker but she knew her bread healed any and all hangovers. Wille was a drinker but not when it came to being at home. Erik was straight edged (or at least pretended to be) and made sure Wille was too. That was until he went to school.

Erik was still home from school but Flora insisted on opening New Year's day so Wille was back. He had opened with Flora since he was hired, She had told him once he was of age (eighteen) she'd let him come in late on New Year's. Wille liked knowing that Flora had expected to keep him around for a long time.

Wille was tired though, staying up with Erik just to wish each other a happy new year has become a tradition. Flora had made him some caffeinated tea. He sipped it slowly as he didn't know if her kindness would extend to her making another for him. Flora was sipping on some coffee as she prepared the dough for the afternoon batch of bread.

"Ah, Wille!" She called from the kitchen.

"Yes Ms. Flora?" Wille called back and smiles apologetically at the young couple who sat at one of two small tables in the bakery.

They wore sunglasses and were dipping the bread they had bought into their coffees from the café next door.

"Just come here" Flora scolded and Wille laughed.

Wille walked back to the kitchen and watched as Flora kneaded the dough. He admired the way her muscles would flex and relax, like they were dancing.

"What's up?" Wille asked and leaned against the counter.

"I brought some bread to the young man at the bookstore before the holidays. Would you mind checking in with him to see if he enjoyed it?" Flora asked.

Wille tilted his head, "Ms. Flora, are you cheating on me?" He joked.

Ms. Flora sucks at her teeth and rolls her eyes, shaking her head.

"Just go." She scolded and smacked Wille's stomach, getting flour on his apron.

"Like this?" Wille asked and laughed at the handprint on his apron.

"No take it off, and bring some of the peppermint cookies." Flora then focused on the bread.

"Who will watch the front then?" Wille asked, taking off his apron and washing his hand quickly.

"I'm almost done here, it's slow now" Flora waves him away.

Wille nodded and went to the front, the couple had left so the store front was cleared. He shrugged and packed up the cookies like Flora asked him to.

He wondered about the 'young man from the bookstore'. He wondered how old he was. If he went to school. What he was like. Not because he had ever seen the boy, but because he hadn't. The mystery of people always fascinated Wille.

Wille shrugged and packed the small box of cookies into a paper bag that he had stamped the bakery's name on the side. He then looked around and took a cookie for himself. He then put on his coat and went toward the bookstore.

Wille figured it'd be a good time to find a book for Erik. He didn't know what kind of genre he actually liked but he seemed to always need classic books for his classes so he figured one would be a safe bet.

He waited at the light and walked across the street, accidentally bumping someone's shoulder with his.

"Oops sorry." Wille mumbled without even looking.

"All good." The guy mumbled back, Wille turned and only saw a bit of curls going into the bakery. 'Hopefully Flora is done'

Wille finished crossing the street and went into the bookstore. There stood a guy who was obviously a university student. That must be the guy Flora was talking about.

He paused as he saw the guy was preoccupied with a girl Wille could only assume was his girlfriend. She was leaning across the front counter, her dress riding up a bit too much.

Wille quickly looked away and stepped back, his elbow hitting the wall behind him. The girl jumped back and looked back at Wille, who smiled awkwardly and waved.

"Oh Lukas, someone is here." The girl spoke and turned to the worker.

"Ah, sorry. What can I help you with?" Lukas asked, smiling too widely for Wille to believe he was genuine.

"Oh um, well I work across the street at the bakery and my boss apparently gave you some bread before the holidays-" Wille started.

Lukas cut him off, "oh must have the wrong person, I wasn't here before then." He thought, "Must've been Simon."

"Simon?" Wille asked and turned back to the bakery, he was desperate to go back.

This Simon kid not being here was going to make this task harder to complete than Wille anticipated. He didn't want to have to wait with the couple making out.

"Yea, he actually just left to go get something, I dunno, I wasn't paying attention." Lukas shrugged.

"Clearly." Wille mumbled to himself, "Well thanks for the help, I'll just come back."

Lukas nodded and waved, returning to his girlfriend who was eager to get back to kissing. Wille made a face and walked back out of the bookstore and toward the bakery.

Wille pouted a little as he crossed, staring at the box of the cookies he had neatly organized. He crossed the street as he kept looking. Another bump to his shoulder.

"Oh shit!" The suddenly familiar voice made him look up.

Wille's eyes caught the fallen dinner rolls as they rolled into a puddle of dirty melted snow. Then a head of curls came into view, Wille tilted his head. The owner of the curls was picking up the dinner rolls and putting them back into the bag.

"You cannot be serious." He grumbled and finally looked up at Wille.

Wille looked at the curly headed stranger. He was tan, had to be natural, the sun was scarce in the winter. He has long lashes, a perfect nose for his face and slightly cracked, plump lips. Oh fuck.

"H-Hi. I'm Wilhelm." Wille managed. Really Wilhelm?

"Hi...?" The stranger's brows met as he looked at Wille. "Simon"

"Simon? You're the guy Ms. Flora wanted me to give these to." Wille held up the bag of cookies.

"Oh." Simon straightened, the bag he had been holding was dripping with gross puddle water.

"Oh shit, I'm sorry." Wille took the bag from Simon and threw it away for him then looked at his dirty hands.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

"The bathroom is right through there. You can wash up and I'll get you some fresh dinner rolls." Wille says and Simon nodded.

Wille had insisted on Simon to come in to wash in his hands and that he get his dinner rolls replaced. Simon had already said his goodbyes to the perfectly buttery rolls but Wille was a convincing boy.

Simon sighed and walked into the bathroom, it was small and smelled like lemons and the soap, of lavender. He hummed and scrubbed his hands, looking at himself in the mirror.

His eyes widened when he saw the state of his curls, he had worn a hat on his walk to work. He ran his wet fingers through his hair and tried his best to finger curl his curls to reshape them a bit.

He shook his head and scrunched his hair before drying his hands and walking back out to the front of the bakery. Wille had put his apron back on and was setting out a fresh pan of fresh bread rolls.

"I have great timing, Ms. Flora just finished a new batch of dinner rolls." Wille grinned.

He was overcompensating. He had knocked dinner rolls out of a cute boy's hands.

'Are people actually like this?' Simon thought to himself.

"Uhm how many dinner rolls did you originally get? I'll replace them." Wille offered.

"Oh um, twelve." Simon mumbled, suddenly insecure about how many he had bought. "They're for my family too, not just me."

"I figured." Wille smiles sweetly and turned.

He put thirteen rolls into the fresh bag then carefully taped the handles to the bag that contained the cookies.

"There you are" Wille says gently and smiles at Simon, who looked confused. "Oh the other bag is from Ms. Flora. She asked me to bring them to you."

"Oh right, thank you." Simon says and took the bags from the counter.

"Yea, I hope you like peppermint. They're our seasonal flavor." Wille chewed on the inside of his cheek.

His eyes searched Simon's expression. God did he have pretty lips and skin. Not many people looked like Simon, he seemed perfect in every way. Though Wille liked his messy curls more.

Simon could feel Wille's eyes and blushed a bit. He readjusted his sweatshirt and looked down at the bags in his hands. He shook his head to bring himself back to earth.

'What are you doing?' Simon thought and looked back at Wille, who smiled.

"Can I get you anything else?" Wille asked politely. 'Can I get your number?' Wille shook his head and laughed to himself, what a silly thing to even pretend to ask.

"Uh no, I think I'm okay for now." Simon nodded, he looked at the bookstore and tried to move but something kept him standing in front of the blonde boy in a flour covered apron and a goofy smile on his face.

"Well then, uhm see ya soon." Wille says gently. "Feel free to sit if you'd like"

Wille didn't want Simon to go, he was hoping he'd sit at one of the tables just so he could stare a bit. Maybe if Simon stayed long enough, he'd work up the courage to ask him out before he left to the bookstore.

Simon blinked and nodded, "Uh yea sure."

Simon shuffled over to the table and then tilted his head. The bags were taped together and he didn't want to mess it up to eat a cookie. He then went up back to the counter. Wille had turned around and started restocking the dinner rolls.

"Hey, could I actually get something else?" Simon asked.

Wille jumped a little and nodded, "Oh, yea sure."

He set down the big tray of bread down and wiped his hands on his apron. Simon scanned the wall of cookies then the pastries in the display case.

"Oh i'll just have that concha." Simon hadn't seen one in a Swedish bakery before.

"Hm?" Wille asked, smiling shyly, he didn't understand what Simon had said.

"A concha..." Simon pointed to the seashell shaped pastry that had a pink coating on it.

"Oh our seashell breakfast rolls!" Wille said and grabbed a small plate and put the concha on it.

Simon made a shocked face, making Wille blush in embarrassment. That was obviously not what everyone else in the world called them. He had just made up the name since rarely anyone bought them. Most of the times Flora would pack them up and bring them upstairs.

"It's a concha. A Mexican pastry, we eat it with coffee." Flora had appeared out of nowhere.

"Jesus, Ms. Flora." Wille gasped and put the plate down.

Simon laughed softly at Wille's reaction and his cluelessness. Wille turned to him, god his smile was pretty. Wille blushed a little and looked down.

"Sorry for the confusion, he's just a silly Swedish boy." Flora teased Wille.

"Esta bien, Doña*." Simon smiles, Wille was convinced he was a puddle on the floor just at the sight.

"Gracias**." Flora smiles back at Simon.

Wille looked between them, he didn't understand what they had said but he'd hoped it wasn't anything bad. He just smiled awkwardly at Simon.

"Oh, do you have coffee?" Simon asked as he took the plate with the concha on it.

"Mm we don't-" Wille started.

"Pero voy a hacerlo, solo para ti.***" Flora winked.

Simon smiles even brighter and nodded, thanking the woman in Spanish. Flora waved him off and laughed as she walked back into the kitchen to make coffee.

"So you speak Spanish?" Wille asked shyly when Simon looked at him again.

"Mhm, I'm Venezuelan." Simon asked and took some napkins, he was anticipating the concha and coffee.

"Ah cool." Wille nodded and laughs a little, "The only Spanish I know is 'malo' and 'ven' Which I assume mean 'annoying' and 'come here'."

Simon bit the inside of his cheek to stop himself from laughing. He nodded and ate a crumb of the concha. Wille smiled, he was proud to have made Simon smile.

"Am I right?" Wille asked, smiling.

"Right enough." Simon shrugged and laughed, unable to contain it.

Just then Flora reappeared with a fresh cup of coffee.

"¿Quieres lechita?****" She asked and Simon nodded.

"Un poquito, gracias Doña.*****" Simon pinched the air and smiled when Flora just got a small bottle of milk from the display case.

"I'll pay for the milk as well, since you can't sell it anymore." Simon has switched to Swedish, he wanted to talk to Wille.

Wille smiles, he didn't know that the ability to switch between two languages easily would be so attractive. He nodded and rang Simon up for the concha and the milk. Simon paid then went to sit down.

Wille continued to work, but glanced at the boy every so often. Simon has begun to listen to music and he ate and drank. He then checked the time and gasped.

"I've got to go, thank you for these!" Simon called to Wille.

Before Wille could turn to Simon, he was gone, leaving the empty plate and mug out on the table. Wille's shoulders dropped, he hadn't built the courage to ask him for his number. He just shuffled over and picked up the dishes, wiping down the small table and got back to work.

Hopefully they'd meet again.

Notes:

* = "It's okay, *Doña is an honorific for an older woman but there isn't a good translation* "

** = "Thank you"

*** = "But I'll do it, just for you!"

**** = "Do you want milk?"

***** = "Just a little, thank you Doña."

Chapter 4: Buy a Book, Get a Pizza

Summary:

Wille laughed at Simon's expression changing yet again. Wille's laughter confused Simon even more. Simon watched Wille laugh and felt laughter bubble in his chest too. Simon pressed his lips together but his smile still grew, until he was smiling with his teeth. He was grinning.

Chapter Text

"Oh has he gone yet?" Flora had emerged from the kitchen as Wille was sat behind the counter.

He had been pouting. He'd wished that he had gotten Simon's number. Flora had noticed his sour mood and tilted her head. Flora was a sharp woman but one thing she struggled with was reading people's expressions.

"Why are you pouting?" She nudged Wille.

"He's gone" Wille sighed and stared out the window of the bakery.

He had answered both her questions.

"Yes I can see that. But why are you pouting?" She looked at Wille then followed his eyes, it clicked. Oh.

Flora then went back into the kitchen. She was going to make those two boys meet again. She wanted them to. She gasps as a burning smell coming from one of the many ovens. She had burnt some of the cookies.

She slammed down the tray of burnt cookies behind Wille, making the young boy jolt and finally come out of his longing stare.

"You burnt the cookies." Wille said as he looked at the visibly darkened edges.

Flora gave him a look. And if they could kill, Wille would minutes from death. His eyes widened and nodded, Flora could be terrifying.

"Prepare your sweet tooth. You're taking them home." Flora said, "and eating them."

"Yes ma'am." Wille stood and started to pack the cookies into boxes and put them in a box.

"You're lucky you're the only person I know that likes burnt cookies." Flora sighed and took the stool Wille had been sitting on.

She sat as she watched Wille pack the cookies. She watched but she was tired and distracted, they had opened early and were opened later. She stretched and sighed. Wille glanced at her, he wanted to ask her about Simon.

"So, how did you become best friends with Simon in the ten minutes I was away?" Wille asked.

Flora frowned, tilting her head, "What?"

"Cus it took me like six months to get you to like me, like actually like me. It took him probably two minutes." Wille teased.

"He had gotten a call from his Mama, he spoke Spanish. A different language in this country can allow for an instant connection." Flora picked some dough from under her nails.

Wille nodded, he wondered what it'd be like to instantly click with someone. He wondered, because of the connection, that he'd see Simon more often. He wanted to hope he would.

"So, he's Venezuelan." Wille said, he hadn't gotten to know much about the curly headed boy but he wanted to keep talking about him.

"Mhm, born there, raised for a few years then moved here." Flora was clueless at Wille urge to learn more.

Wille gave up, he'd have to learn about Simon from Simon himself. Flora had taken her three minute break so she stood and slid the stool back to Wille and returned to the kitchen.

'fuck, i'll have to build some courage' Wille thought.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Simon had returned to the bookstore after running across the street. Luckily there were rarely any cars on the small street but it didn't prevent him from accidentally bumping into yet another person. He wasn't having the best luck when it came to keeping out of other people's way.

He sighed a bit as he went into the bookstore. He rolled his eyes at the sight of Lukas and his girlfriend Annika making out. The two pulled away and smiled, he'd hope that since he was back they'd ask him if they could leave.

He liked being left alone. The two just looked at him, he looked back.

"What?" Simon asked with more attitude than he intended.

"Nothing, no" Lukas shook his head. "Listen, I was thinking of taking Nika to a movie tonight…”

‘Nika?’ Simon thought to himself and tried to hide his expression. “If you’re asking me if you can leave early, go ahead.”

Both ‘Nika’ and Lukas smiled widely and thanked Simon. Annika tried to hug Simon to thank him but he just shook his head and held his hands out. Annika laughed shyly as Lukas gave her her coat and the couple left the bookstore. Simon took a breath of relief, he was finally alone again. He sat down on the stool that was behind the counter then stood, it was warm. He made a face and got a shiver through his body. ew. He opted out of sitting behind the counter and just walked around the bookstore. He scanned all of the shelves and made sure that everything was in order. Not many people came in and the people who did would return the books they had taken off of the shelf back in their proper place.

The demographic of the patrons of Raven Bookstore were older. Mr. Eklund was not the type of owner that would put in order for new books, the store mainly contained books that had published the year just before he had taken ownership of the store. Simon was the one to order the books, he had been given that job two months into his employment since Mr. Eklund had no desire to be around longer than he had to. So, selfishly, Simon would only mass order the books that seemed interesting to him. The occasional student from the high school in Bjärstad would come by at the start of each school year and ask if they had any of the textbooks that their classes required. Simon would say no, because again, he selfishly never ordered them so he could avoid people his age as much as possible.

It was close to closing for the bakery, he could tell. He could see Wille cleaning up and Flora packing away the leftover bread from the front window of the bookstore. Simon found the feather duster from behind the front counter and slowly dusted the low bookshelves that lined the front window. He watched as Wille swept and wiped down the three small tables even though Simon had been the only one to sit at one that day. Simon still had about two hours before he could close ‘the Raven’. He was silently hoping that Flora or Wille, maybe even them both would come and visit for a bit. He shook the thought, was a silly thing to wish for. He liked being alone, especially here, why was he wishing for a visitor?

Simon shook his head and sighed out, he hated this feeling. Anticipation. He hated admitting that he was ever anticipating anything. Anticipation always lead to disappointment and that was the worst feeling he’d ever felt in his entire life. He had only been disappointed a handful of times in his life. The first time, when his father finally admitted to have a drug and alcohol problem. Simon was too young, too young to understand that his father’s absence would be more beneficial than having stay. His father was his first disappointment. His sister was the root of the second. She had been the one that asked to attend boarding school. Simon didn’t want to go, but his mama had asked him to join Sara. Simon hadn’t wanted to change schools. Ayub and Rosh were at his school and he knew that all the kids at Hillerska were out of touch rich kids. He was right of course.

He found it ironic that he had been disappointed by two of the three people who he cared for more than himself. He had outgrown his love his father. He had seen him when he was sixteen, and to say that he was a piece of shit would be an understatement. Simon’s mama wasn’t a saint other, she was just easier to empathize with. She had to escape an abusive relationship with her children. The fact that he and Sara were never in immediate danger was enough for her. Of course it wasn’t enough for Simon. He felt disconnected with his mama the most. He feared making her worry. He never wanted to see his mother stressed, he had grown up staring at the crease between her brows and forced smiles. He didn’t want to be, no, couldn’t be the reason why those expressions ever returned. So, he hid a lot. He hid every bad mood he had, would keep any and all problems he had to himself. He had learned to solve them on his own at a young age.

Simon felt his cheeks wet as he came out from his mind. He blinked and his vision was blurred. He blinked more and looked down at his hands, his vision wasn’t clearing. Then he saw the droplets of tears on his palms. Shit. He pulled his sleeves over his hands and wiped his eyes, trying to rid them of the tears that seemed to be poured out. He frowned and wiped his cheeks again and again. He sniffled and turned away from the bookshelf. What the hell was happening? Simon walked back behind the counter and put the duster away. He sniffled again, taking his book out again. He wiped his eyes again and began reading again. He blinked through his misty eyes as he let himself get lost in the drama of Hamlet.

He got himself together quickly, Hamlet helped him more than he wanted to admit. Hamlet’s father had died and his mother married her husband’s brother instead of mourning him. Now that was a fucked up family. Simon laughed a little at the fact at the comparison. He shook his head and looked up at the bakery. The lights were shut off and instead only the lights of the apartment upstairs were on. He wondered if Wille had already left. He shook the thought. If he shook his head any more he’d have a headache. He turned back to his book. That was when he heard the door open and the small bell of the store ring.

He looked up and there stood Wille.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

“Hi.” Simon breathed out, he didn’t notice he was staring.

“Hey.” Wille ran his fingers through his hair and returned his hands to his coat pocket.

Simon's heart was racing, he lifted his hand and pressed it to his chest, he could feel his pulse in his ears. Wille just rocked on his heels and chewed on the inside of his cheek.

"Erm, I'm here for a book, you're still open right?" Wille looked around, he took note that Simon was alone.

"Yea, for another ten minutes..." Simon mumbled, had it been anyone else he'd be annoyed if they had come in at this time.

"Oh I won't take long then." Wille smiled awkwardly, adjusting his scarf.

"Okay." Simon had frozen up, his feet glued to the floor and his hands stuck to the counter.

"Okay." Wille stifled a laugh, Simon's face was very serious.

Wille turned and started to scan all the shelves, reading the labels that read what genre each section was. He chewed on the inside of his cheek as he struggled to find the type of books Erik needed.

He could feel Simon's eyes on him. And it wasn't just a feeling, now that his back was turned, Simon took the chance to watch Wille. He had noticed his chewing of his cheek, how he messed with his bottom lip as he browsed.

It was curiosity mainly, he didn't understand how his lips weren't torn up even from the habits or the weather. Simon tried to convince himself it was just curiosity that had him looking at the blond's lips. He blinked and scanned Wille's clothes.

He admired Wille's fashion. His pants were fitted to his hips and legs. They weren't baggy or too long. His shoes were quite worn but not completely so still wearable. His scarf was cool toned to match his charcoal grey coat.

Wille had turned around, Simon was still staring. Wille smiled a little, Simon's zoned out face was quite cute. Wille walked up to the counter and set down a new copy of 'Of Mice and Men'. Simon's eyes finally focused and flicked up to look at Wille.

"Just this." Wille smiled shyly, Simon's gaze was more intimidating than he had assumed was possible.

Wille looked away, instead browsing the small box of various different bookmarks that sat right in front of the register. He didn't know if he'd survive if he'd kept his eyes locked with Simon's.

"156 krona." Simon said and carefully slipped the book into a paper slip bag and folded the excess material over it.

Wille nodded silently and took out the cash for it, handing it to Simon directly. Simon counted the money then opened the register. Simon regretted not turning on the radio. When he looked up again, Wille was staring.

His gaze was far from harsh but still unreadable, he seemed to just be observing Simon. Simon's brows knitted together, his lips pursing in attempt to start speaking again. He felt his stomach turn and his lips relaxed. He didn't want Wille to look away.

Simon sucked in a breath and stared back. He wasn't trying to intimidate Wille and he didn't. The two stared at each other, Wille's eyes stayed locked onto Simon's, who were taking in Wille's features. His broken out cheeks, the uneven warmth in them and his forehead, and the small scar right on his left cheekbone.

He was pretty. Not in a conventional way, at least not as he stood in front of Simon, but he seemed older than he was. There was something unreadable about him. Simon hated people but he could usually see right through them. Wille was different, what was it?

Wille's flat expression slowly grew a smile as Simon's eyes had turned from confusion to curiosity in just a matter of seconds. Simon's eyes were pools of darkness, not just because of their color. He wanted to know what was behind the pretty face, what made him mad, what made him laugh.

Simon saw Wille's smile in just his eyes, his own flicked down to see Wille's crooked smile. Cute. Too cute. But it was real, it was a genuine smile and it was wide.

'How do people actually smile that much?' Simon squinted.

Wille laughed at Simon's expression changing yet again. Wille's laughter confused Simon even more. Simon watched Wille laugh and felt laughter bubble in his chest too. Simon pressed his lips together but his smile still grew, until he was smiling with his teeth. He was grinning.

"What?" Simon finally asked, the smile not fading.

"I dunno." Wille says.

"We didn't even say anything." Simon says back.

"Sometimes you don't need a reason to laugh, it just feels right." Wille shrugged, his eyes were sparkling.

Simon's eyes were softer than they had been when Wille first came in. His frown had gone away and he held a smile in his eyes, though only the very edges of his lips curled as he looked at Wille.

"Do you do that often?" Simon asked.

"What?" Wille countered and looked down at himself.

"Laugh without reason?" Simon leaned on the counter, the wrapped book and its receipt just under his clasps hands.

"Mm not really." Wille laughed. "But still doesn't discount my sentiment."

"I guess not." Simon's eyes shifted down at the book Wille has bought.

"It's been ten minutes." Wille whispered, he didn't want to leave yet.

Simon checked his phone and nodded, he was right. Simon didn't want Wille to leave either. He just slid the book across the counter and smiled.

"Hold on." Simon says gently and went to the back, grabbing his jacket and hat.

Wille nodded and looked back at the different bookmarks, his fingers pausing when it landed on one that was simply a blue sky with clouds. Simon walked back to the front as Wille's eyes were on the bookmark.

"Do you like that one?" Simon asked, Wille's eyes flicking back up to Simon.

Wille smiled as he still held the bookmark. He shyly nodded. Simon leaned across the counter and took the bookmark from Wille's hold and slipped it into the bag containing the book. Wille opened his mouth to speak but Simon shook his head.

"Consider it a thank you for the cookies." Simon smiles, he hadn't stopped.

Wille smiled and nodded, "Uhm well since you're closing up...wanna get some pizza?"

Simon's stomach growled at the mere mention of pizza. He hadn't eaten since lunch.

"Pizza would be perfect." Simon sighed out and turned to shut off the lights of the bookstore, leaving the back room light on.

Simon walked around the counter, putting on his jacket and hat as he did. He noticed then that Wille was taller, not by much, but enough. Wille watched Simon, his eyes seemed bigger when they were looking up at his. Wille smiled and motioned to the door.

Simon smiled a little and nodded, opening the door for Wille and holding it open with his foot as he locked it. Wille stepped out into the chilly night and lifted his shoulders so his scarf would cover his mouth.

Simon then stepped out and pulled the door shut. He then made sure it was locked before turning to Wille. It was late but the street light still had the string lights wrapped around them. Simon looked up at Wille, whose cheeks had already become more pink from the cold.

Simon then looked away and toward the one pizza place on the street. It just so happened to be his favorite. Wille then turned and looked at the pizza shop. He was anxious.

'How do you talk to people? Especially pretty people.' Wille thought as the two walked side by side.

Simon tucked his hands into his jacket pockets and watched his feet as there was definitely going to be some ice on the sidewalk with the temperature dropping at night. Wille walked just a step ahead of him and glanced back every few feet to make sure he was okay.

The two didn't say a word as they walked into the pizza place. They both offered a polite smile to the man who was at the front counter. He greeted them and they greeted back before looking at the menu.

Simon took in a breath, this is what he hated about new people. Not talking when you're with someone is painful. That's why he liked being alone, silence isn't painful when you're alone by choice. Wille shivered a little and blinked at the menu.

Simon's head was spinning, he was too overwhelmed to process any of the words on the board. He sighed and looked down at his shoes.

"You can choose the pizza, i'll get us drinks." Simon mumbled and shuffled over to the refrigerator filled with different sodas and iced teas.

Wille nodded and walked up to the counter, "Can we have a medium pizza, half cheese, half pepperoni? and an order of fries."

The man nodded and rang him up.

"Two drinks as well." Simon stood next to Wille and set down the drinks.

The two looked at each other. They hadn't discussed who'd be paying. Simon took out his card and handed it to the man. Wille seemed to have deflated, which made Simon smile. He had won a silent fight.

"What did you get us?" Simon asked as they sat down at a table.

"Half cheese, half pepperoni." Wille mumbled and fidgeted with his fingers.

Simon could tell he was nervous. It was cute. He usually found people that were too nervous to talk irritating but for some reason he hadn't this time around. It was confusing, his brows knitted together again.

"Do you do that a lot?" Wille asked, smiling at Simon.

Simon locked eyes with Wille again, "What?"

"Frown without reason." Wille countered.

"Frown, yes. Without reason? No. I always have a reason to." Simon stated and opened his drink.

"What's your reason right now?" Wille asked gently.

"Hm," Simon had dug himself into a hole, "You confuse me."

"Why?" Wille didn't miss a beat.

"Cause, you're just...new." Simon didn't have the right words.

"What does that mean?" Wille tilted his head and laughed a little.

"Like new to me. I don't usually...talk to new people. Unless I'm at work." Simon shrugged.

"So you only socialize when you're getting paid?" Wille asked.

"I guess." Simon smiled a little, "It's part of my job to be social, so why bother when i'm not working?"

"Fair point." Wille hummed, he wasn't one to socialize either. "But you spoke to Flora fine earlier."

"Well she's different." Simon countered.

"How?" Wille asked, though he understood what Simon meant, he had felt it too.

"There's just something about her, you can't help but feel comfortable around her." Simon mumbled and took a napkin from the dispenser on the table.

Wille smiled and nodded, he had gotten that same feeling when he first met Flora too. He had been convinced the woman was magic. He was never quick to warm up to people, his job as a bagger at the grocery store had only lasted four months because he rarely said a word to the customers.

"That woman has a way with people, I think." Wille says gently, "She's tough but there's not a single person who doesn't like her immediately."

There was that sparkle in Wille's eyes again. Flora was someone very special to him, Simon knew that. He wondered how, how did that woman get people to love her as deeply as Wille seemed to love her? He wondered if Flora knew everything about Wille or Wille her.

Wille looked at Simon, he had an uncontrollable grin. He tended to smile widely when he thought of Flora. Simon was amazed, confused and almost disturbed by this kid who seemed to be in love with a woman in her late fifties. Wille didn't care, he'd never deny his love for her.

"You're confusing me even more now." Simon stated and sipped his drink.

"Why?" Wille asked, his smile fading to a friendly one.

"I dunno, not everything has an answer." Simon wanted to stop talking.

"Yea, I guess you're right." Wille hummed and crossed his arms.

He hated silence but it was familiar. He could tell it wasn't for Simon, at least not with another person. He watched as Simon continuously adjusted in his seat, repositioned his arms. It was his eyes that were the most telling, how they would flicker up to see if Wille was looking and would immediately leave Wille's when he was.

Wille smiles a little, looking around the pizza shop. It was his favorite. He hoped that with some food in his stomach, Simon would be more open to talking. He hope it'd help him too. Wille chewed on his thumbnail and pulled off his jacket and scarf. Simon was staring at his own fingers as he played with them.

God was this painful. Simon could almost feel the pain in his gut. The pizza guy seemed to notice. He dropped the pizza off and just smiled awkwardly. He told them to enjoy and they can get a to-go box if needed. He then set down some plates for them.

Simon looked at him and smiled, "Thank you" The man nodded at him then Wille before disappearing into the back.

Wille straightened and cleared his throat, picking up a slice carefully with the serving spatula and set it on a plate. He then handed it to Simon who took it quietly. Simon bit into the pizza and immediately regretted it.

"Oh fuck it's hot." Simon breathed out, "Don't-"

He had been too late, Wille had bitten into his slice too. Wille exhaled too and his eyes smiled as they both huffed as they chewed. Simon burst into laughter and covered his mouth once the bite was finally a temperature he could eat. Wille joined him in the laughter.

"Jesus," Wille laughed and fanned the slice in front of him with his hand, "You'd think we'd know that the pizza that was just made would be hot."

Simon nodded, "We should know better." He smiled.

"Seems we were both too hungry to think that clearly." Wille shrugged and watched Simon lean down to blow on the pizza.

"I wonder if doing this actually helps." Wille mumbled, "Fanning and blowing on it."

"I'd like to think it does." Simon shrugged.

"Even if it doesn't, i'd still do it. It'll stop me from eating." Wille laughed.

"Yea, me too." Simon smiled and then picked up the pizza.

He took a bite and hummed, it was perfect. Simon nodded as he chewed, Wille lit up and took a bite from his slice as well. Simon had been right. It was perfect. Wille sighed out happily as he ate. Simon laughed through his nose at Wille's eyes rolling back.

"You're weird." Simon laughed with food in his cheeks.

"Is that a bad thing?" Wille asked, his mouth also filled with food.

"No." Simon shook his head, taking another bite.

"Okay." Wille smiled back, "Is that better than new?"

"Yea." Simon says gently.

"Then, you're weird too." Wille grinned.

That made Simon laugh. He nodded, agreeing with Wille. Maybe it was because of the pizza or because of Wille but Simon's smile stuck as they looked at each other and ate. That was all they did.

Maybe the two would find themselves getting to know each other silently. Maybe they'd just stare at each other and somehow learn the ins and outs of one another. Maybe they'd have to talk to learn. Maybe they'd have to learn to learn. Or maybe they'd learn to love the silence more than the words exchanged. Either way, this was enough for now.

Chapter 5: Closer

Summary:

Simon laughed softly and laid down. he rested his phone sideways and leaned it against his bedside table so he didn't have to hold it. Wille mirrored him. The two just stared at each other, they were in separate rooms but somehow felt closer than ever.

Chapter Text

Simon shut his bedroom and leaned against it. He sighed out and took off his shoes. He smiles widely and tried to bite it back as he sat down on his bed. He checked his phone, 'hey, it's Wille'. 'text me when you get home safe'.

Simon chewed on his lip and assigned Wille's number to a new contact. 'wille <3'. He reread the contact name and shook his head, deleting the heart and leaving it as just 'wille'. he then texted back. 'i'm home, you?' He then tossed his phone and smiled as he changed into what he'd wear to bed.

Wille had just gotten into his house when he felt his phone buzz. He took it out as he stepped out of his shoes. He smiles when he saw Simon's name. 'i'm home too' he texted back before taking off his coat and scarf and hung them up.

Wille's family was asleep, he was sure of it. None of them were night owls. He was the lone one. He went into his bedroom slowly and washed up before slipping into Erik's room. He silently pulled out the book from the paper slip and set it down on his bedside table, along with the bookmark.

Wille then quickly snuck back out of Erik's room and back into his own. Simon had liked his text, but hadn't replied. Wille shrugged and texted again, 'brushing my teeth now'.

Simon laughed at the text message, he thought that Wille would leave their conversation at the liked message.

s: 'oh are we going to be sending life updates like this now?'

w: 'if we want to'

s: 'mm i dunno'

w: 'we'll think abt it'

*liked by simon :)*

w: 'good night simon'

s: 'good night.'

*liked by wille*

Simon then locked his phone and plugged it in. He was smiling and he pinched his cheeks to stop himself. He stared up at the ceiling and sighed, the pinching wasn't working. He frowned but still the smile grew. He gave up and turned to his side. He yawned and fell asleep almost instantly.

Wille laughed softly, he was happy that Simon had even texted back. Was that flirting? He didn't know the answer but he didn't want to stress about it. He just finished washing up and laid down. He stared up at the ceiling and smiled, then shut his eyes and went to sleep.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Wille woke up from his brother shaking him. It was early in the morning, probably only a few hours since he had gotten home from going out with Simon.

"Wille, brother, I'm heading back to school." Erik whispered.

Wille hummed in response and sat up, his eyes still closed. "I thought you were here another day" he pouted.

Erik laughed at his sleepy baby brother and kissed his forehead "I was, but turns out I have an exam on the first day back. Gotta cram."

Wille nodded and rubbed his eyes, which finally opened. "I'm gonna miss you" Wille pouted even more as he looked at Erik.

"And I'll miss you." Erik said and ruffled Wille already messy hair. "Thank you for the book by the way."

"Yea." Wille mumbled.

Erik smiled and nodded, turning to walk out of Wille's room.

"Erik?" Wille stopped him.

"Hm?" Erik turned back around.

"I need to talk to you about something...if I call you tonight, will I be bothering you?" Wille asked.

Erik laughed and shook his head. "No, never. Is it something bad?"

"No, no, just something I can't talk to mama about." Wille looked down shyly.

"She wouldn't get it." Erik states and smiles.

"No, she wouldn't." Wille's shy smile grew, he felt lucky he had a brother who knew him so well.

Wille stood up and rushed to his brother, hugging him tightly and burying his face in his shoulder. His chest was already aching for his brother.

Erik hugged back and patting his back, "You'll be okay kid." He whispered.

"I know." Wille said and pulled away, "I love you."

"I love you too kid." Erik kissed his temple and ruffled his hair once more before leaving his room.

Wille shut the door behind him and let out a breath. He went back to his bed and sat down, looking around his room slowly and the way the early sun shone in. He blinked and he knew he wouldn't be able to get back to sleep.

He picked up his phone and texted Simon.

w: 'morning'

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Simon hadn't slept long. He'd had a dream he couldn't shake. He had been awake since. The morning light had been peering into his room as he was sat up on his bed, leaning against the wall.

He stared at his phone and wondered if he should text the subject of his dream. He had dreamt of Wille. Or rather himself and Wille. It hadn't been a bad dream, but it also wasn't a good one. It was just new. Maybe that would be a common word for Simon.

They had been hanging out, in Simon's dream, what was different was their closeness. They seemed closer. They touched, which they hadn't before. They were holding hands. When Simon had woken up, it was because Wille, dream Wille, had begun to lean into him.

Simon didn't know what it meant. Is that what he has wanted out of last night? Simon and Wille had walked together back home after they left the pizza place. It turned out that they lived only a few streets away from one another.

"So you live in this school district but you go to a boarding school a thirty minute bus ride away?" Wille asked, his hands deep in his coat pockets as the night had gotten even colder.

"Mhm." Simon hummed, "My sister wanted to go to Hillerska...so I have to go too."

"Younger or older?" Wille asked, having a feeling Simon didn't want to be question why Simon has to attend the same school.

"She's older, just by a year." Simon kicked a small rock off of the sidewalk. "Her name is Sara."

"Hmm, I have an older brother. His name is Erik. He's nearly three years older. In his first year of university." Wille sighed.

"So we're both the youngest of two." Simon replied, he didn't know what to say didn't want to get stuck in a moment of awkward silence.

"Yea, we are." Wille hummed, "I thought you'd be older than your sister. You give off big brother energy."

"Well Sara and I take care of each other in that way. More me than her. I just like to make sure she's alright." Simon says, he didn't know if sharing Sara's diagnoses to Wille was disrespectful toward her so he didn't mention it.

"That makes sense then." Wille paused for a moment, "You must really love your sister if you're willing to attend a different school just because she wanted to go."

Simon shrugged "I guess. Would you do the same?"

"Yea, because I love my brother so much." Wille admits. "I want to be with him all the time."

Simon smiles a little at that, he didn't know anyone, let alone a guy, ever admit to loving his brother to someone who could be considered a stranger.

He didn't understand how Wille had learned to love his brother like that. Maybe it was easy or maybe his ability to love so loudly was something Wille was born with. Simon wouldn't doubt it.

Wille was a lover, one wore his heart on his sleeve. He never shied from being honest about his feelings. He'd never fallen in love and had never had a crush but since the moment he could talk, the boy would always tell Erik he loved him.

Erik had to grow into it, especially when he had become a teenager. He has rejected the confessions for six months before Wille stopped speaking entirely. He had called Wille annoying. Since that day, Erik never complained and always said it back.

Wille smiled at Simon with tears in his eyes, he'd been thinking of his brother for too long. Simon's eyes widened and his lips separated so he could speak but Wille shook his head.

"If we address it, i'll just cry even more. Just ignore it." Wille blinked and tears ran down his face, he quickly swiped them away.

Simon was in awe of the boy. They had just been speaking of their siblings and suddenly Wille was crying. He frowned at the feeling in his chest, it was new. There was that word again, soon Simon would roll his eyes at the sound of it.

Simon wasn't much of an empath, only for Sara and his mama. His empathy for has been running thin for Sara lately but still it stuck with him. She hadn't always been the stuck up girl who lives at Hillerska, she used to be a kid who was beaten down by her bullies. He'd take stuck up over a crying Sara any day.

"I-I'm sorry but this is my street" Simon said softly as Wille wiped his eyes.

"It's okay, i'll see you later." Wille smiled and waved a little. "Get home safely"

Simon nodded and waved back "You too."

The two boys had then separated, leaving Simon with more question than before. Wille has cried and yet still smiled as if the tears were a nuisance rather than an expression his emotions. Maybe that's why Wille had stayed with Simon, even in his dream.

Simon thought of the night before, but was brought back from a text. It was from Wille. 'morning'. Simon hummed and checked the time.

s: 'morning back'

w: 'it's too early for you to be awake'

s: 'you're awake too.'

w: 'my brother had to leave for uni today'
'he woke me up to say bye, what's your excuse?'

s: 'you.'

w: 'oh shit, did i wake you up with my text?'

s: 'no.'

w: 'then how was i involved?'

s: 'im going back to bed'

w: 'mmkay, do you have work today'

s: 'tomorrow**. and no. why?'

w: 'fine. wanna hang out tomorrow then?'

s: 'sure.'

w: 'cool'

s: 'night.'

w: 'night, sleep well'

s: 'is it possible to sleep badly?'

w: 'I dunno, im just being polite."

s: 'ok.'

w: 'night'

s: 'i'll try to sleep well.'

w: 'good'

s: 'okay'

Wille couldn't help but laugh. He locked his phone and curled up. He smiles to himself as he replayed the conversation in his mind. Simon reread the conversation and blushes a little, is this what flirting was? His eyes didn't let his mind think for very long before they shut and he fell back asleep.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Wille hadn't remembered falling asleep but he was woken up by the sound of pots and pans in the kitchen. He frowned, it was a Friday, his parents never took a day off. He put on his hoodie and walked into the kitchen.

"Mama?" he asked, his mother was still her comfortable clothes and had an apron on.

"Oh my, Wille." She offered no explanation.

"Why are you home?" Wille sounded more bothered than he was.

"Is it such a crime to take the day off?" She asked, she was actually bothered.

"No, it's just unlike you." Wille mumbled and picked up some of the cookies he has brought home.

The crunch of the burnt cookies filled the silence as his mother began making some food. It seemed to be only a single portion so Wille assumed he'd had to fill up on cookies.

"Well if you're not going to leave me alone until I tell you, I am going into work after lunch. I had to bring your brother to the train station." His mother was tight lipped and well a tight ass too.

Wille's chest filled with annoyance and he just rolled his eyes as he took some more cookies and went into his room. He locked his door and stared at his phone as he crunched on the cookies. Then a message.

s: "i'm awake. did you sleep anymore?'

w: 'morning, i did actually. did you try sleeping well?'

s: 'tried and succeeded, it was easier than it sounds'

Wille laughed at that. Simon has been completely serious. He was too tired to even try to be funny on purpose. He yawned and went to his bathroom, brushing his teeth slowly.

Sara was in shower, he hadn't even noticed. She sucked her teeth and rolled his eyes at the sight of him.

"Do you mind?" She asked, getting Simon to look away from his phone.

"Mm, no. do you?" Simon shot back and finished brushing his teeth.

He then went back into his room and checked the weather.

s: 'it's freezing outside'

w: 'shit, you're right.'

s: 'what should we do then?'

w: 'do you like video games?'

s: 'that's a stupid question.'

w: 'is it?'

s: 'PC or console?'

w: 'both.'

s: 'what a brag. I play console, what's your tag?'

Wille texted Simon his tag then turned on his console. He saw the friend request from Simon instantly.

w: 'damn you're fast'

s: 'cus i like video games.'

w: 'what do you play?'

s: 'check my recently played'

Just then Simon got a video chat call Wille.

"You play GTA?" Wille asked with a smile.

"Hi to you too, I do." Simon smiled back.

"Hi, sorry. Ever play online." Wille asked.

"Mm mm, I forgot they made that." Simon shrugged.

"Then today will be your first day. I promise it's fun" Wille smiles at Simon's hesitant expression.

"Fine" Simon hummed and opened the game, adding Wille on it as soon as he could.

"If you don't like we'll figure something else out." Wille shrugged. "We like the same first person shooters"

"We do?" Simon asked and opened up Wille's list of recently played games. "Hm."

They had more games in common than they didn't. Simon smiled at that, but hid it when Wille looked back at the camera. They two boys began playing together, wreaking havoc in the city of Los Angeles.

Linda came into Simon's room and set down a sandwich next to Simon's bed. Wille caught just a glimpse of her and waved. Linda waved back, she smiled at the sight of Wille.

"Que lindo.*" Linda said and motioned to the phone.

"¿Quien mami?**" Simon's eyes were on his tv as he was evading the police with

"Tu amigo Simon," she laughed a little, "¿Quien es?***"

"Un amigo.****" Simon mumbled shyly.

"¿Solamente un amigo?*****" Linda teased.

"¡Si mami, yah!******" Simon whined.

"Okay, fine." Linda laughed and kissed his head before waving Wille again and walking out of his room.

"What was that all about?" Wille asked.

"Hmm that was my mama, she brought me a sandwich and asked me about you." Simon asked.

"Like what?" Wille was curious.

"Like who you were." Simon looked at Wille who had a curious look, "I said you were a friend."

"A friend?" Wille smiled, "Does that mean we're friends?"

"Not strangers but not friends..." Simon paused, "yet. We're still getting to know each other so we don't know if we even like each other."

"I like you now thought." Wille stated, "And I doubt that'll change."

Simon had no response to that. He was too shocked in reality to say anything back. What do you even say back to something like that so abrupt and frank. It was bizarre, guess that's what it meant to be Wille's friend. Simon didn't mind.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

By the time the two boys had gotten tired of playing games they had played three different kinds. GTA, a first person shooter game they were both obsessed with then a new game that Wille had to convince Simon to get. It was a calming city building multiplayer game.

They had begun talking, what else was there to do while you're harvesting fruit and vegetables.

"So, favorite color?" Wille asked.

"Hmm purple and yellow." Simon tilted his head.

"Nope, pick one." Wille laughed at Simon's offended face.

"Fine, purple." Simon sighed, "What about you?"

"Mm green, like the color of pine trees green." Wille stated and made his little character run around the pine trees.

Simon smiled and continued to harvest the wild berries while Wille ran around the trees.

"Favorite food?" Simon asked and laughed at Wille's thinking face, "I didn't know it was such a hard question!"

"Pasta! White sauce specifically, lots of cheese." Wille nodded. "But I hate angel hair."

Simon made a face and laughed, he never knew of anyone liking a particular pasta or rather disliking one. Wille was definitely weird. Simon hummed a little and smiled as he thought about his favorite food too.

"I think I like my mom's roasted chicken with rice and beans. Simple but delicious." Simon hummed.

"Sounds good." Wille sighed happily.

"It is good, you'll have to try it the next time she makes it." Simon says and picks up his phone when he realized it was about to die.

"oh I have to charge my phone. Hold on" Simon sat on his bed and adjusted his tv so he could see then plugged in his phone.

"Simon." Wille was grinning from ear to ear.

"What?" Simon looked at Wille who just grinned, "Wille what?"

"Did you just invite me to your house?" Wille asked.

Simon rolled his eyes and laughed a little "Sure I guess I did. But I didn't tell you when. Just that you'll be getting an invitation when she makes it."

"That is alright with me. Sounds perfect." Wille laughed and then looked at Simon. "I'm kinda tired of staring at a screen. Can we just talk?"

"You do realize that that requires you to look at a screen right?" Simon teases.

"Shut up you ass, this is different." Wille joked.

Simon laughed softly and laid down. he rested his phone sideways and leaned it against his bedside table so he didn't have to hold it. Wille mirrored him. The two just stared at each other, they were in separate rooms but somehow felt closer than ever.

"Are you tired?" Wille asked gently.

"A bit." Simon mumbled, he was blinking slowly.

"You should go to sleep then." Wille suggested.

"Mmkay" Simon shut his eyes and took a deep breath.

"Should I hang-" Wille started.

"No, just go to sleep when you're ready." Simon said gently.

Maybe it was because he was tired and tiredness would make anyone friendlier but Simon didn't want to stop talking with Wille. He didn't know what it meant and he didn't really feel the need to figure it out. He liked Wille and he didn't exhaust him so he opted to letting him stick around. Though he knew Wille would stick around no matter what.

As Simon sank into sleep, Wille watched him adjust in bed. His lashes touched his cheeks delicately and he hugged himself to sleep. Wille smiled and mirrored his position and found it to be very comfortable. He was glad that Simon hadn't wanted him to hang up, he was going to stay on the call either way. He didn't want to give up the comfortable silence quite yet.

Chapter 6: Hiccup

Summary:

Simon knew that was his worst lie to date. He glanced at Wille, who was smiling goofily. He hadn't fallen for it. Simon had really wished he'd had.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

"Agh what do I do?!" Simon whines and rested his head on Rosh's shoulder.

He had asked his two best friends over. It was the day after his day full of playing video games with Wille. He hadn't talked to them in a while, and they insisted on him telling them all the details.

"No wonder you don't like Lukas. You had your eyes set on that little bakery boy!" Ayub teased.

"Excuse me, I have not liked Lukas solely because he's a weirdo. Also I just met Wille, i've been working with Lukas for like half a year." Simon countered.

"Aw, lighten up. We're just joking around." Rosh patted by his head and then Simon sat up.

"You guys are mean." Simon mumbled but his friends just laughed, making him smile.

Simon leaned against the wall and fidgeted with his hoodie's strings.

"No, but seriously. What do I do? I've never felt this way before." Simon sighed.

He was nervous just telling his friends about Wille and how he felt about him. Because saying out loud made it true and he wasn't so sure he wanted to act on it. Rosh and Ayub both smiled and shook their heads.

"It'll be fine, just keep talking to him." Ayub offered.

"Maybe you'll find something about him that you don't like and then lose interest." Rosh added.

"Highly unlikely, he's like perfect." Simon frowned, "He's nice, he talks enough for the both of us but asks me questions so I can talk too."

"So he's really putting in an effort to know you." Rosh smiled.

Simon nodded. That's what scared him. Wille was trying his best to know Simon. He didn't know how deeply he was willing to show to Wille, he didn't want to scare him away but he also didn't know if he was ready to share himself with Wille, or anyone.

It was only surface level, Wille knew his favorite color and his favorite food but when will the questions turn into his deepest fears or biggest regret? Simon bit the inside of his cheek and rubbed his eyes, he didn't even have the answers.

"Oh Simon, don't worry too much!" Rosh laughed sympathetically at Simon's expressions.

"Yea, just go with the flow. As long you're having a good time there's no harm in getting to know him." Ayub said and patted his head.

Simon knew his friends were right but he didn't want to listen to them. He had known them for years, it was easy to be open and honest with them (to a certain extent) but a new person? He doesn't even remember how he got so close to Rosh and Ayub. It was as if they were just suddenly seventeen and telling each other everything.

Simon sighed out and looked at his friends. He didn't want to talk about the bakery boy anymore. They both smiled at him and stood, offering their hands to Simon.

"Let's go for a ride, then maybe chinese?" Rosh asked.

Simon smiled a little and took his friends' hands.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Wille stood anxiously behind the counter of Flora's as he looked out of the window to Raven Bookstore. He squinted and saw that the lights were off and the sign on the door read 'closed'. He sighed and leaned against the display case that was full of fresh pastries.

"What are you sighing about? Like you have bills to pay!" Flora teased but when she didn't hear or see the boy laugh, she paused.

"What wrong?" She frowned and slide the tray of fresh bread into the display case.

"Uh nothing, really." Wille mumbled.

How do you say you miss someone you just met without sounding creepy?

Flora pulled Wille's face gently to look at her, giving him a look. It was her 'you can tell me anything' look. Wille's shoulders dropped and he leaned into the hold she had on his face.

"I thought i'd be able to see Simon today." Wille plopped onto the small stool behind the counter.

"And? Why can't you?" Flora asked, sometimes she was flat out clueless.

"The Raven is closed, and I'm working until close." Wille pouted. "Which means I won't get out until it's too late to ask him to hang out."

"Why?" Flora asked, "You call your brother after work sometimes don't you?"

"That's different, he's my brother, he's up late and we don't hang out." Wille took a cookie from the back wall and bit into it, "I don't want Simon to think he's a booty call!"

Flora laughed softly and ruffled Wille's hair, accidentally pushing it into his eyes. He looked at her and ran his free hand through his hair to fix it. Flora smiled at him and kisses his cheek.

"I highly doubt he'd think that. He knows you work late, he works even later. Don't overthink it." Flora said sweetly as she walked into the kitchen.

Wille turned and faced the kitchen, his back leaning against the display case.

"Yea well I really like him, I don't want to risk him thinking less of me." Wille mumbled.

Flora looked at him from the many ovens, giving him a sympathy look. That was also her way of telling him that he wouldn't be hearing what he wanted to from her. Wille sighed and turned back around.

He needed to talk to Erik.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

"Absolutely not, never ask someone to hang out after nine Wille." Erik said through the phone.

Wille had propped up his phone on his lamp and was changing out of his work clothes into his pajamas.

"I know! That's what I said." Wille sighed and sat down on his bed. "So what should I do? I wanna see him."

"Well, you can ask him to hang out tomorrow." Erik offered.

"Mm, working again." Wille hummed and laid down on his bed.

"Is he working?" Erik asked from the bedside table.

"I dunno!" Wille snapped a bit, "Sorry."

"It's fine. Just text him and ask. If he's working, ask him to take your lunch together so you can see him." Erik said.

"Mm okay." Wille sat up and picked up his phone. "You have to go don't you?"

Erik smiled apologetically and nodded. "Yea, have this project to do, it's due soon."

"Sure like I don't see the person in your room with you." Wille laughed.

"Fine fine, you caught me. You'll meet them soon I promise." Erik laughed too.

"Sure. Bye Erik." Wille said and snapped his phone shut when Erik smiled back.

Wille tossed his phone beside him on the bed and looked at the clock on his bedside. It was 9:45. Was it too late to ask Simon to video call? He sighed and picked up his phone again.

w: 'hey'

Simon had been sat with his friends in his room. They were eating out of the take out containers of the chinese food they had picked up. Simon felt his phone buzz which confused him. All the people that messaged him were in his house. He frowned and then his eyes widened.

"Wille just texted me." Simon says, holding his phone out as if it would implode.

"Okay, and?" Rosh laughed and took his phone.

She read the text and smiled, "He just say 'hey'. Think he's trying to getting a lay from you?"

Simon scoffed and rolled his eyes, attempting to get his phone back but Rosh moved out of reach. She then texted back. Thus began a conversation between Wille and "Simon".

s: 'hi'

w: 'how was your day?'

"He's asking about your day! Oh he's whipped already!" Rosh laughed as Ayub stood to watch her talk to Wille.

s: 'Good, yours?'

Ayub scoffed, "you should've said that it would've been better if he had seen him."

"Ayub that is so cheesy!" Rosh scolded and laughed.

Simon groaned and laid down, maybe if he pretended he didn't care they were talking to the guy he kind of, sort of liked, they'd lay off. But the two seemed to have forgotten Simon was there.

w: 'It was fine. I saw that you weren't working today."

s: 'yea, Raven was closed.'

w: 'well I was hoping to see you today, after last night.'

Rosh gasped and her eyes shot up to look at Simon. Simon frowned and gave her a look.

"What?" Simon spat.

"What happened last night?" Ayub asked.

Simon's face warmed and his ears turned pink.

"N-nothing! We played games all day then talked, for a while," He paused, "Then we fell asleep on the video call."

Rosh's eyes widened and she looked at Ayub who was grinning.

"Holy shit that's like second base with hermit Simon." Ayub teased.

Simon sucked his teeth and stood up, snatching his phone from Rosh.

"You guys are assholes." Simon muttered and looked at his phone.

"Mhm, mhm, sure. Then we'll leave you to talk to Lover Boy." Rosh teased and smiled.

The two packed up their things and left the food for Simon to eat before patting his shoulder as a goodbye. He waved and sighed as he waited to hear the front door open and shut.

He then sat down and scrambled to text back, it had been three minutes since they'd opened Wille's text. He sighed and thought of what to say.

s: 'sorry'

w: 'for what?'

He didn't feel like explaining to Wille that his friends had been the ones texting him.

s: 'idk'

w: 'okay then.'

Simon chewed on his lip, his stomach was doing flips. He wanted to talk to Wille, he did, he just didn't know how to. He wanted to see him but how do you ask someone to video chat? Do you ask people to do that? Simon shook his head, he was ready to give up.

s: 'you gonna be up long?'

w: 'mm probably. why?'

s: 'wanna play a few rounds?'

Wille smiled widely at the text. Simon tugged at his ear as he waited for a reply. But it didn't come.

*'wille <3' hearted the message*

Just as Simon saw that he has liked the text, his contact name popped up. Wille was video calling him. I guess that was one way to ask him to video call. Simon contained his smile then picked up.

"Hi." Simon hummed and set up his phone on his desk then sat down.

Wille was smiling widely, Simon wondered if his cheeks ever hurt. Wille moved to his desk too and set up his phone.

"Hey." Wille says gently and turned on his console then opened the game they'd had agreed on night before.

Simon looked away to turn on his console and load up the game. He didn't notice that Wille was simply looking at him.

"You look nice." Wille said gently.

Simon whipped head around to look at his phone, at Wille. He wore a soft smile and there were his unreadable eyes again. They seemed to have just contained each pixel of the game, they shined. Simon smiled a little.

"That came out of nowhere." Simon laughed shyly.

"Well it's true." Wille laughed too.

"Is it?" Simon asked, shaking his head.

"It is." Wille affirmed.

Simon scoffed and looked away, shaking his head at Wille. It felt like an untuned tv in Simon's stomach. He rolled his eyes at the feeling and grabbed the food his friends had left behind. Maybe if he ate, the feeling would go away.

"So, what was your day like?" Wille asked as they joined a duo lobby and were waiting to be loaded into a game.

"Why do you ask?" Simon was grateful he had to look at his tv.

"I just want to know, is that a crime?" Wille could be sassy if he wanted to be.

"Hm it was good. I slept all morning then Rosh and Ayub came over." He paused, Wille didn't know who they were, "They're my best friends."

After adding the context, Simon stopped talking. They had spent two hours talking about Wille.

"We hung out for a while then went for a ride, they have mopeds, and picked up chinese food. Then we hung out more and you texted, so they left." Simon's breath hitched.

"So you kicked them out to talk to me?" Wille teased.

"No," Simon started, Wille was sharper than he seemed, "It was a coincidence."

Simon knew that was his worst lie to date. He glanced at Wille, who was smiling goofily. He hadn't fallen for it. Simon had really wished he'd had.

"Coincidence or not, I'm glad I get to have your undivided attention now." Wille smiled.

The game began, relieving Simon of the pressure that had built in his chest. The two slowly got into the swing of the game, mumbling orders about their strategy. There was barely any empty space between them.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

They had won, but Wille stood up and sat on his bed.

"Mm too tired to keep playing." Wille mumbled and rubbed his eyes, they had only played one round.

Simon turned off his tv and sat down on his bed too. He held his phone up and scanned what little he could see in Wille's walls. A poster of the game they had just played and a collection of pictures he couldn't make out.

"So, i'll let you sleep then." Simon mutters, it was only 11 pm.

"Not tired enough for that." Wille smiles.

Simon sighed and rolled his eyes, his annoyance was real this time. He'd always hated watching people beat around the bush. If Wille had sensed Simon's annoyance, he didn't show it.

"I'm too tired to game but not tired enough to sleep..." Wille tried to hint at Simon.

He hadn't sensed it.

"Then maybe get ready for bed. Night." Simon said flatly and hung up.

Simon huffed and got up to go take a shower. Wille sat staring at his phone, just looking at his home screen. He fucked up. How? He didn't know. But he had. He stood up and left his phone on his bed.

Simon took a shower, trying to wash away the feeling of guilt he had in his stomach. Wille drank of glass of water, he had the same feeling.

Simon got dressed and chewed on his lip as he stared at his and Wille's messages. His thumbs hovered over the keyboard. He shook his head and locked his phone. He then took up his book of Shakespeare plays and read instead.

Wille washed up, just as Simon had told him and laid down with a feeling a dread heavy on his chest. He stared up at the ceiling and replayed their conversation in his head. He fell asleep not knowing what went wrong.

Notes:

heh...sorry! <3

Chapter 7: Awkward

Summary:

“No. You were a pretty boy I knew nothing about-“

“Can you drop the whole pretty thing?”

“and I ruined your bread, so I gave you new ones then I went to buy a book. We had pizza, we talked, we spent an entire day and night playing video games.”

“I know, I was there.”

“It called becoming friends. Friends are comfortable with each other so they become more of themselves around each other.”

“I don’t think we’re friends.”

“Well we aren’t strangers.”

“Aren’t we? We don’t know anything about each other…”

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Simon fiddled with his fingers as his soles pressed into the bumpy sidewalk, he glanced into the bakery and didn't see the blonde boy anywhere. He took a deep breath and wondered if he had the day off. Wille had told him that if the bakery was open, he was there but he hadn't seen him. At least not from the bookstore window the past few days.

Now it was his day off, a rare day off. But he had found himself at the bookstore. He had pretended to need something, forgot something behind the counter. When it was sat upon by Lukas' girlfriend, he gave that strategy up. He only went to the back, stood for just a second then left without a word. Not that Lukas noticed. He's lucky people don't steal books.

Simon shook his head, breaking him from his gaze down at his shoes. The walk sign was lit so he checked either way and walked into the bakery. It was too late to turn around, unlike Lukas, Flora heard every single sound. Simon had picked up on that, she always came to the front. Or Wille.

This time it was Wille who came out. It was Flora. Simon smiled, the warm woman seemed to require it and his lips always seemed to turn up in compliance.

"Oh Simon, what a nice surprise! What would you like?" She smiled brightly, her hands already reaching to open the display case.

"I'm looking for Wille." Simon mumbled shyly, his cheeks warm, seemingly from saying it out loud.

"Oh Wille went to run an errand for me. We ran out of milk, and milk bread is our special today." Flora's smile turned a bit tense, Simon guessed she was embarrassed it.

"I see..." Simon looked down, "Then i'll just take another concha."

"Sure, but after you do something for me." Flora said and walked around the counter, holding out some reusable bags. "My errand boy will need these."

Simon took a step back, which only made Flora smile and hold out the bags further. Simon looked at the bags then Flora and took the bags. She was giving him an opportunity. Simon nodded, he didn't know if he should thank her.

"Thank you, mijo." She smiled, "Oh and I'll need twelve bars of chocolate as well."

Simon's eyes widened and Flora laughed.

"Wille has my card, he will pay for it once you find him." Flora caressed Simon's cheek.

Simon naturally leaned into it for just a moment before he straightened and cleared his throat.

"I'll be going now." He pressed his lips together.

Flora nodded and waved at him, moving back around the counter. She left Simon in the front of the shop as she went to check on her pastries. Simon waited until she disappeared there before turning and walking toward the grocery store.

Simon took a breath and decided to listen to music. He looked around at the little shop all lining the small street and wondered if everyone's life was as individual as his own. He shook the thought, it was too early to imagine other people like that.

He entered the grocery store and chewed on his lip, he had taken out his headphones. Milk. Flora needed milk so he must be in the dairy section. Simon licked his lips and gripped the bags tighter in his hands as he shuffled through the grocery store.

It was small and so the frame of the taller and much paler boy appeared. He was pushing a cart full of milk. Simon hadn't thought about how he'd have to help carry it all. He wanted to turn and walk away, maybe not because he'd have many things to carry. Maybe because he'd have to talk to Wille.

"Wille." Simon called out before he had turned and left.

"Simon?" Wille laughed shyly, "What're you doing here?"

He was more surprised that Simon had seen him and caught his attention.

"Um I went into the bakery," looking for you, "and Flora said you forgot these bags for the milk so she sent me to bring them to you. Oh and uh she needs twelve bars of chocolate" Simon said and set down the bags into Wille's cart.

"Oh, I see." Wille looked down at the bags. "Will you help me with carrying it all."

He didn't even have to ask, Simon has just assumed.

"Sure." Simon nodded, he didn't know if they were okay or not.

"Cool, thanks." Wille pushed the cart and Simon followed.

The two silently found the chocolate bars. Wille took up thirteen. Simon smiled.

"Is that a habit of yours? Getting or giving thirteen instead of twelve?" Simon broke the silence.

"No," Wille looked down at the chocolate bars then Simon, "Only with you."

Simon stiffened and he looked at Wille with his eyes wide. He didn't know what he meant by that.

"Thirteen dinner rolls since I knocked twelve out onto the street puddle and now thirteen so that we can share one on the way back." Wille shrugged as if it was a normal way of thinking.

Simon figured it made more sense in his blonde head. Simon was still stiff.

Wille laughed a little at Simon and pat his shoulder, "Let's go pay."

Simon nodded and relaxed his shoulders. He shook his head and followed Wille to the registers. He helped lift the gallons of milk onto the counter then added the bags. He moved to the end and carefully set two gallons into each bag.

"Does she really need eight gallons?" Simon was struggling to carry two of the four bags filled with milk as they walked down the street.

Wille laughed and nodded, "Yep, she drinks it like it's water"

Simon made a face, he knew that Wille was joking but just the thought of Flora drinking that much milk made his stomach turn.

"I'm joking!" Wille smiled.

'How is it so easy for him to carry all this milk?' Simon thought. Simon had been staring, Wille's relaxed face and his pink cheeks, he wondered if it was from the cold or something else. Simon took a breath and looked forward.

"I'm sorry." Simon mumbled as the sidewalk got a bit uneven.

"For what?" Wille asked.

“For being annoying, or rather annoyed at you the other night.” Simon tripped over his words.

“Oh,” WIlle paused and looked at Simon, “Well its okay…”

‘It’s just- I don’t know how to talk to you.” Simon stuttered.

“What do you mean? I think you do just fine talking to me.” Wille shrugged.

“No, like, when you flirt. I guess I dunno how to take it.” Simon bit his lip.

“Flirt?” Wille smiles a little, “I was flirting with you?”

“Weren’t you?”

“Yea, I guess I was.”

Simon’s eyes widened, he had misread the joking that Wille had started. Wille’s cheeks had become more pink, guess it wasn’t from the cold. Simon looked away and took a breath.

“So, you don’t know how to flirt?” Wille asked, they had returned to the bakery.

Simon shot a look to Wille who only smiled back. Wille knew that they’d talk about it soon. Flora came at the sound of the door and was smiling seeing the two boys stood next to each other. The bags surrounding their feet.

“Ah thank you.” Flora motioned for the kitchen, “Into the refrigerator please.”

“Yes Ma’am.” Wille sighed and picked up the bags again.

Simon followed after him and walked back into the pristine kitchen and set down the bags onto the counter. He looked around as Wille packed the milk into the huge fridge.

“You’ve never been back here before.” Wille seemed to have forgotten what he had said was meant to be a question.

“I haven’t. I’ve barely even been in the front.” Simon laughed a little, it was only his third time in the bakery.

“True.” Wille shrugged, “There isn’t much to see, prep tables are cleaned, by me, after each rush. So all that’s going on is the ovens.”

Simon nodded and slowly walked around the bakery, seeing that the tables were indeed cleaned thoroughly.

“I guess I don’t ever have to doubt that you clean well.” Simon made a face, ‘Who says that?’

Wille laughs softly and nods, “Guess not.”

Simon nodded and went back to the bags, taking out the chocolate bars then looked at Wille.

“We didn’t get to split one on the way back.” Simon mumbled and handed all thirteen to Wille.

Wille smiled and shook his head, handing Simon the thirteenth chocolate bar. Simon took it and opened it as Wille put away the other twelve.

“Guess we’ll have to split it now.” Simon said and held out a small square to Wille.

“Who’s flirting now?” Wille asked and took the square of chocolate with his teeth.

Simon pulled his hand away and looked at Wille, his cheeks has warmed while Wille’s had stayed his natural pale color. Wille laughed softly and stepped toward Simon, who took a step back. Wille took a step away from Simon and smiles, Simon tilted his head.

“What?” Simon asked.

“Hm?” Wille asked back.

Simon rolled his eyes and put the chocolate bar down on the counter.

“You’re annoying me.” Simon stated.

“Am I?” Wille asked, “Or am I making you nervous?”

Simon’s cheeks became even warmer and he looked down at the chocolate.

“Hm, there’s my answer.” Wille smiles, it wasn’t as mocking as Simon had thought it’d be.

“I guess so.” Simon said back and moved past Wille to the front of the store, to Flora.

Flora smiled and plated a concha onto a plate for Simon and Wille had appeared again, holding a mug filled with coffee and a bit of milk.

“Sit.” Flora motioned at Simon.

Simon nodded as he took the plate from Flora and thanked her. He then sat down and Wille sat across from him, setting the coffee down. Simon thanked him softly and sipped it. He hummed happily and took a bite of his concha, then sipped the coffee again. Wille watched quietly. His eyes weren’t judgmental or even observant, he just seemed to be watching blissfully. Simon looked back at him, searching his face and his eyes. He wondered what the taller boy was thinking in that moment.

In reality, Wille wasn’t thinking of anything. He was just looking at Simon, the way his jaw flexed and his relaxed as he chewed. The way his lips curled around the edge of the mug to sip his coffee, and how Simon licked his lips each time he took a sip. It was his first time looking at Simon this closely, at least for a long period of time. It was new, but he liked it.

“You’re very nice to look at.” He confessed.

“Thanks, I guess.” Simon looked away awkwardly.

“You’re really not used to this!” Wille laughed a little.

‘Why would I be?” Simon frowned.

“You don’t get hit on? At all?” Wille lifted his brows.

“No, never do and never have.” Simon shrugged and sipped his coffee.

“Really?” Wille smiled.

Simon lifted his shoulders and nodded, “Really.”

“Huh.” Wille laughs and leans back in his chair.

“What?” Simon frowned again.

“Nothing, I just figured since you’re so pretty-“

“I’m not pretty.”

“Yeah you are.”

“Shut up.”

Wille laughed a little and leaned forward, “No.”

Simon frowned and set down his mug, this kid was weirder than he thought. Wille smiled at Simon who shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest. He knew that he should get up and leave Wille to the bakery but he stayed in his chair and looked at Wille. Wille looked back, his smile seemed to have widened while Simon’s frown deepened. How does one smile at someone who’s frowning.

“You confuse me.” Simon says gently.

“As you’ve told me before.” Wille sat back again and mirrored Simon’s crossed arms.

“You are confident and talkative with me, but the first day I met you, you were quiet and anxious.” Simon paused, “What changed?”

“Uhm, well I am a three dimensional person, like an entire human that can change based on the level of friendship with someone.” Wille teased, causing Simon to roll his eyes.

“So? You were just pretending then? When we were first met?” Simon asked.

“No. You were a pretty boy I knew nothing about-“

“Can you drop the whole pretty thing?”

“and I ruined your bread, so I gave you new ones then I went to buy a book. We had pizza, we talked, we spent an entire day and night playing video games.”

“I know, I was there.”

“It called becoming friends. Friends are comfortable with each other so they become more of themselves around each other.”

“I don’t think we’re friends.”

“Well we aren’t strangers.”

“Aren’t we? We don’t know anything about each other…”

“I know-“

“…that isn’t our favorite things. We don’t know each other like fundamentally, our values, our morals, each other’s mannerisms.”

“Well that comes with time, and organically.”

“Does it?”

“Mm, if you’re willing to be vulnerable.”

“You’re saying I’m not?”

“No, just like the general ‘you’. Not specifically you, though I fear you may be the kind to be unwilling.”

“Whatever.” Simon scoffed and pushed his empty dishes toward the middle of the table.

“Well, we’re friends to some degree. Maybe not best friends but we’re friends enough for now.” Wille shrugged.

“Okay.” Simon shrugged.

“Mm.” Wille pushed his chair out and stood. “I gotta get back to work.”

Simon looked up at him and nodded.

“I’ll call you tonight.” Wille smiled.

“Don’t.” Simon said flatly.

“Okay, then just text you.” Wille shrugged.

“Fine.” Simon stood and handed his empty dishes to Wille.

“Bye Simon.” Wille took the dishes and his eyes flickered to Simon’s lips.

“Bye.” Simon stepped back.

He rushed toward the door then turned and called out a goodbye to Flora before reentering the cold winter air. He heaved in a breath before turning and walking back toward the bus stop. He panted and pulled away his hat and shoved into into his jacket pocket while his breath was visibly pumping out of his lips. His ears and nose were red from the cold but yet his body prickled with heat. He chewed on his lip as he anxiously waited for the right bus to come. He fumbled with his wallet when it did and almost forgot to swipe his bus pass. He then sat down and put on his music. He shut his eyes and listened. He tried to steady his breathing as the calming music took over his senses. ‘What the fuck is this feeling?’

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Simon waited, admittedly too anxiously, for Wille to text him. Not because he wanted to hear from him, he had convinced himself, but because he wanted to see if Wille would actually do it.

W: ‘hey’

S: ‘hi’

W: ‘get back okay?’

S: ‘yea.’

W: ‘how was the rest of your day?’

S: ‘fine’

Simon had played video games to pass the time. He had memorized when the bakery closed, which told him when Wille was home from work. Almost always exactly half an hour after closing the bakery, Wille would text Simon. It had only been a couple days, but it had been weird without the scheduled texts.

W: ‘you going to ask me how my day went?’

S: ‘no. I already know how it went.’

W: ‘No you don’t.’

S: ‘fine, how did your day go?’

Simon jumped when he saw that Wille was calling. He still picked up.

“Why are you calling?” Simon asked.

“You asked me about my day.” Wille stated.

“And we were texting, you could’ve told me over text.” Simon countered.

“Yea well, my day was long and its easier to talk than type.” Wille smiled.

“Fine.” Simon sighed.

“Okay well, after you left- well there was a little girl that came in with her brother and her parents just before the holidays.” Wille started. “Well it had been their first time, and her brother was asleep at the time. Her parents got a whole bunch of things then asked her what she wanted. She asked for just one cookie.”

“Okay, so she’s not a glutton.” Simon was confused why this mattered.

“So I gave her the one cookie to eat then. She shook her head and pointed to the bag then her sleeping brother.”

“She had gotten the cookie for her brother?”

“Mhm, and nothing for herself.” Wille smiled widely.

“So?” Simon asked.

“So, after her parents paid, I gave her her own cookie.”

“And?”

“She said thank you and ate the cookie. Fast forward to today, the family comes back in and the brother is awake now. His parents get them each a cookie and the little boy said it tasted exactly like the cookie his sister had gotten him.”

“I’m confused.”

“She had actually given him the cookie.”

“Yea, I know.”

“How did you know?”

“She said she wanted it for him, so why wouldn’t she give it to him?”

“Because sometimes older siblings suck.”

“Why didn’t you trust that she would do it?”

“Cus kids are mean sometimes. Anyway, the whole point is that she isn’t mean, she had actually given the cookie to her brother and had no expectation to eat it later.”

“Okay.” Simon sighed. “Is that all that happened?”

“Yea.” Wille pouted a little.

“What?” Simon had noticed the shift in Wille.

“You ruined my story.”

“Is that what you called a story?” Simon laughed a little.

Wille didn’t laugh, and Simon could tell he wasn’t smiling.

“Sorry.” Simon mumbled into the phone.

“Wanna play some games?” Wille mumbled back.

“I’m tired. My eyes hurt too much.”

“Can we just talk then?”

“Sure.”

Notes:

Hey! Sorry for the delay on this chapter, I've been getting ready to go back to school! Now I'm back and classes have started so I'm not sure how consistent I'll be uploading but I'll try my best, hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thanks for reading and more chapters coming soon! <3

Chapter 8: Winter Snow

Summary:

"We are friends Simon, you're going to have to learn to get used to it." Wille smiles, "If you keep blushing every time I say we're friend I may die from your cuteness."

Simon rolled his eyes and reached up and get his warmed cheeks.

"Shut up." Simon mumbled and took another bite of his food.

Simon then reached across the table and took a slice of bacon and took a bite. He hummed happily and cut a reasonable size of his waffle and held it out to Wille. Wille's brows rose in confusion.

"A bite of my waffle for some bacon, fair trade." Simon offered.

Notes:

A/N: Ahhh I was missing Wilmon so much I decided to write a chapter super late at night!! I hope there aren't too many typos!!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Wille woke up to Simon still quietly sleeping on his phone screen. He didn’t remember when their phone call had turned into a video call but he didn’t mind it in the slightest. He curled into himself and laid admiring Simon’s barely visible face. He smiled when Simon woke with a soft, deep breath.

“You didn’t hang up?” Wille smiled.

Simon sleepily rubbed his eyes, tensing just a bit at the sound of Wille’s voice so freshly in his wake up period.

“How long have you been awake?” He avoided answering Wille’s question.

“Like two minutes.” Wille sighed and turned on his lamp to illuminate himself just enough.

Simon groaned, the light had brightened his view and his phone became brighter. Wille laughed a little and stayed laid down as he watched Simon turn on his strip lights to be a brighter color. Simon yawned silently and rubbed his eyes then ran his fingers through his messy curls.

“How did you sleep?” Wille asked gently, not sure if Simon would want him to speak.

“Fine, you?” Simon asked and took up his phone and looked at Wille who had pulled his blankets over his shoulder.

“Hmm, fine, I don’t remember falling asleep.” Wille confessed.

“Me neither. You fell asleep first though.” Simon hummed.

“Why didn't you hang up?" Wille smiled a little.

Simon's cheeks warmed and he shook his head, he didn't have an answer. He just didn't want to, but he couldn't say that to Wille.

"I didn't want to." He said flatly then his breath hitched.

"Well, okay," Wille's smile widened.

God was he cute. Simon scoffed and rolled his eyes, allowing him to look away from Wille. Simon looked back at his phone and smiled a little at seeing his stupid grin still plastered on his face.

"Don't read into it too much, I just couldn't reach my phone and was too tired to sit up."

"No, no, you said you didn't want to. Not that you couldn't." Wille countered while laughing a bit.

"Shut up."

"C'mon, let me have this!"

"Fine."

Simon had no idea how the boy could smile wider and yet he did. Simon couldn't help but smile back.

"Are you working today?" Simon surprised himself.

"No." Wille hummed, "You?"

"No." Simon fidgeted with the blanket on his lap.

"Mm..." Wille was going to make Simon ask.

"Since neither of us are working..." Simon looked away from his phone, "why don't we hang out?"

"Mm sure, what should we do?"

"I dunno. Why don't we meet then decide?"

"Okay."

"Cool."

Wille smiled and waved, Simon nodded and they hung up the phone. Simon sucked in a breath and got up from his bed.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Sara was sat in Simon's bed as he pushed through his dresser drawers. Nothing seemed to be good enough to wear.

"Simon, anything is fine, please just choose something!" Sara laughed a little.

"Yea but- ugh my favorite pants are dirty" Simon groaned, holding up his pair of jeans from his laundry basket.

"Wear your other ones, you have more than one pair."

"Ugh fine."

Simon switched out his pajama pants for a pair of jeans that looked nearly identical to his favorite pair of jeans. He then put on his favorite purple sweatshirt.

"This okay?" Simon asked.

"Yea, you wear that all the time." Sara rolled her eyes.

"You're right." Simon went to his closet and replaced his purple sweatshirt with a grey one.

"Better" Sara shrugged and leaned back against the wall. "What are you doing anyway?"

"I dunno" Simon shrugged and turned to his mirror to fix his curls.

"Mm well okay, have fun." Sara stood and walked back to her room.

Simon chewed in his lip as he put his things into his jacket pockets and checked his phone.

S: 'ready.'

W: 'almost there'

S: 'okay'

Wille had washed his favorite jeans right when he and Simon made plans. He had them on with his dark blue sweater on. It matched the muggy weather perfectly. He had fixed his hair to be out of his eyes and made sure his lengthy hair was tucked behind his ears.

He wore his coat bud refused a hat, opting for his scarf instead. He walked the couple of blocks to Simon's house, knocking on the door then pulling off his sunglasses.

Simon opened the door and Wille immediately smiled.

"Hey" Wille greeted.

"Hi" Simon returned and stepped out, shutting his front door behind him.

"How are you?"

"It's been like twenty minutes since we hung up on the phone."

"Forty."

"Fine, forty."

"Ready?"

"Yea."

Wille turned on his heels with his hands in his coat pockets and nodded toward town.

"We have a whole day, what should we do?"

"Well, Im starving." Simon felt his stomach growl.

"Okay, breakfast first." Wille nodded and saw that the bud that would take then into town was pulling up.

He waved it down and paid for both their fares, Simon frowned out it.

"You'll for us both on the way back."

A compromise Simon was willing to agree to. The two sat down and Wille took out his phone.

"The bakery is closed but we can try the tiny American diner that's on the other edge of the town?" Wille offered and handed his phone to Simon.

"Hmm sure." Simon took his phone and scrolled through the pictures and reviews.

Just then Wille's phone vibrated. A text from Erik.

"Who's Erik?" A twang of jealousy ran through Simon's chest.

"Oh, my brother, did he text?" Wille asked and reached his phone.

"Mhm" Simon's cheeks warmed as he handed the phone back.

E: 'Going on a date?'

W: 'I hope so! gotta go, im with him now'

E: 'I raised a boy with manners'

W: 'shut up.'

Wille laughed a little at his messages then locked his phone and dropped it into his pocket. Simon had observed him silently. Does one person really smile widely at messages from his brother? Impossible, he knew Sara would never smile like that. I guess this would just be another weird thing about Wilhelm.

Simon walked alongside Wille, they had arrived into town and were headed for the diner. He rocked from his heels and toes and looked up at the sky as they waited to cross the street.

"Wille?" Simon asked, glancing at the taller boy's sweater.

"Mm?" Wille liked the sound of Simon saying his name.

"Do you purposefully match your sweater to the sky?"

"Mhm," Wille smiled.

"Why?"

"I dunno, I just like to." Wille shrugged and looked up at the sky. "I think the sky is pretty."

"So does matching makes you feel pretty?" Simon teased with a small smile tugging at his lips.

"Sure." Wille laughed and looked at Simon.

Simon nodded, so he's pretty and adorable. Wille would be a tough boy to resist. Wille scanned Simon's face and squinted, wondering what he was thinking about.

Simon blinked and looked at Wille, their eyes met and their cheeks warmed. Wille smiled a little, Simon smiled back. Maybe it was okay to be a bit of himself with Wille. For now it was.

Simon shook his head and looked away, Wille looked forward and pointed at the diner he had talked about. It really was tiny.

"Here we are."

"Hm, looks nice."

"Yea."

"Small, but nice." Simon added.

"Small can be good ya know." Wille flirted.

Simon rolled his eyes but he couldn't contain his smile. Stupid jokes like that were much more palatable from a cute boy. Simon just took Wille's sleeve and pulled him inside. He smelled the food and stomach grumbled.

Wille glanced at Simon and laughed softly, then asked for a table for two. They were taken to a booth and given menus. Simon immediately looked through it and decided coffee and a waffle with many different toppings.

Wille took his time and decided on the classic American breakfast, complemented with some coffee as well. The waitress then took their menus and they were looking at one another. Wille smiles and Simon blushed.

"It's cozy in here isn't it?" Wille asked as he shrugged off his coat and took off his scarf.

Simon nodded and pulled off his jacket by their sleeves then sipped his water.

"Oh shit." Simon mumbled and pulled off his hat and shoved it into his jacket pocket.

"Your hair's a bit messed up." Wille mentioned.

Simon reached up and attempted to fix his curls but it only made Wille laugh a bit and lean forward.

"Can I?" He asked before he reached out.

Simon's heard seemed to have been racing. His instinct was to pull away and say no.

"Sure." Simon leaned forward.

Wille nodded and adjusted Simon's curls a bit to make them sit nicely on his head. Wille then sat back and admired his work (or rather Simon) then nodded.

"Perfect." He jokingly puffed his chest.

Simon scoffed and shook his head. He looked around the small diner as Wille observed the different individual sized jams that sat in a generic looking bowl.

"What's Erik like?" Simon asked.

Wille dropped the grape jam he had been analyzing the ingredients of. Simon hadn't even looked at him, he was still observing the diner.

"Oh well, he's the standard three years older. He's in uni, studying literature and novel writing. He likes to read." Wille smiles, "He's always looked out for me, basically raised me when we were younger."

"Why?"

Was this the organic conversation Wille had been talking about.

"Mm, our parents work a lot. When they are home, they're usually still working, or wanting to work. Mama does enough, cooks dinner, checks in. Papa is always checked out."

"I see, i'm sorry." Simon looked down at his lap.

The waitress had come back to deliver their cups of coffee and a small pitcher of creamer then a box of sugar packets.

"Thank you," Wille smiled, waiting for the waitress to go. "No need to be sorry. It's just my reality."

"Still, it sucks." Simon mumbled and Wille shrugged.

The two prepared their coffee for a beat before Simon looked at Wille again.

"Your turn." Simon raised the mug to his lips and sipped, his eyes in Wille.

"Hm?" Wille asked, stirring in his packets of sugar then sipped the black coffee.

"I asked you question, so it's your turn to ask one."

"Oh, you have a sister don't you?"

Simon nodded.

"Tell me about her."

"Her name is Sara, she's a bit over a year older than me. She was held back a grade so we're in the same one. She's opinionated and stubborn and I kinda am her keeper."

"Are you? Isn't that tiring?"

"Sure but I don't have much of a choice. We look out for each other. More me than her."

"You're the Erik to her Wille." Wille joked.

Simon laughed softly and nodded, sipping the coffee.

"You could say that."

"Is she as cute as I am?"

Simon gave him a look and Wille laughed.

"I don't consider my sister to be cute. She can be sweet and thoughtful but she's not cute."

"So your answer is no?"

"Essentially."

Wille's brow quirked up and his smile turned into a small smirk.

"Don't get an ego Wille." Simon warned.

"Fine, fine," Wille laughed, "Your turn."

"Hm fine. How did you get to working with Flora?"

"Oh that's a good one." Wille thought for a moment. "I had applied to everywhere else. Didn't hear back or immediately got rejected for my available hours."

"She was my last chance. And she accepted me. The bakery opens a hour before I can get there but she can manage on her own and I'm always willing to close. Then I open and close on Saturdays. It's the perfect fit."

"How long again was that?"

"Uh, has to be last September cause I applied when I was in my first year of high school."

"Where do you go?"

"Oh the local Bjärstad high school" Wille shrugged. "You?"

"Hillerska Boarding School." Simon attempted to be casual.

"Really? Those stuffy uniforms don't seem to be your thing!"

"They're not. Sara wanted to go there, so I go there. And we only wear the uniforms the first and last days of our terms. Or when important people are visiting."

"Oh doesn't seem so bad,"

"It's not awful."

"You have many friends there?"

"Hm not really, just Felice. I have two best friends here Ayub and Rosh."

"Do they go to the local school?"

"Mhm."

"I think I may know them! Rosh plays soccer right? and Ayub is kinda always just with her?"

"Yep that's them. Are you guys friends?"

Wille couldn't help but laugh.

"No, Rosh is kind of a big deal at school. She's a strong player and Ayub is big deal by association."

"So do you have friends?" Simon asked.

"Nope" Wille grinned and sipped his coffee.

Their breakfast arrived quickly and they began eating.

"Really? No friends?" Simon asked as he spread some strawberry jam on his waffle and then poured syrup on it.

"If you don't count my brother and Flora, nope i. Just you." Wille smiles and bit into a crispy strip of bacon.

Simon's cheeks warmed as he filled them with his waffle. It was so sweet but he was a secret sweet tooth so he was enjoying it.

"We are friends Simon, you're going to have to learn to get used to it." Wille smiles, "If you keep blushing every time I say we're friend I may die from your cuteness."

Simon rolled his eyes and reached up and get his warmed cheeks.

"Shut up." Simon mumbled and took another bite of his food.

Simon then reached across the table and took a slice of bacon and took a bite. He hummed happily and cut a reasonable size of his waffle and held it out to Wille. Wille's brows rose in confusion.

"A bite of my waffle for some bacon, fair trade." Simon offered.

Wille laughed softly, Simon was naturally cute. Wille opened his mouth and Simon fed him the bite of waffle. Wille hummed happily and flashed a thumb up. Simon had good taste in jams and breakfast. The curly headed laughed and continued to eat.

"Hmm this was delicious." Wille sat back and patted his stomach as his plate was cleared.

Simon nodded and was eating the leftover bacon Wille had offered him at the meal after claiming that he couldn't get anything else down. In reality, Wille had left the bacon for Simon. His love for bacon was trumped by the cute smile Simon had when he chewed on the strips.

Simon pulled his jacket toward himself and pulled out his wallet. He set down enough bills for his breakfast then hesitated before putting down enough for them both. Wille had been fumbling to find his wallet.

"You paid for pizza and drinks last time, I got breakfast."

"I guess that's only fair. Thanks Simme."

Simon's eyes widened a bit, he hadn't ever been called that by anyone else by Ayub and Rosh. But the churn in his stomach was new. His ears were burning as he was stuck looking at Wille.

"Shall we go?" Wille asked, he had stood and put on his coat.

"Oh yea, yea. Let's go." Simon stood and put on his jacket, following Wille out.

Wille gasped and looked at the sky. It had begun snowing. Simon blinked quickly as the curls closest to his eyes were being covered in snowflakes. Wille laughed happily and reached for Simon's hand, who took his and then lead him toward the gazebo that stood in the center of the small park down the street.

Simon held onto Wille's hand tightly as they ran, the boy's hand was impossible warm in the cold air. How was he real? Simon shook his hair out once they were under the safety of the gazebo. Wille turned toward him and smiled.

"Are you cold?" Wille asked, he hadn't let go of Simon's hand.

Simon didn't let go either. His eyes just stuck go Wille's as he shook his head. His fingers slowly moved until they were intertwined with Wille's. His hand was freezing, Wille took Simon's other hand then tucked them into his coat pockets.

The act pulled Simon and Wille closer, forced to face one another. Wille looked away first, which was new. Simon frowned up at him but he softened when he saw the boy's wandering eyes. He was admiring the snow.

Simon grounded his heels on the boards of the gazebo as he took Wille's distraction as an opportunity to admire him. He saw the subtle edge of his jaw, the say his freckles trailed from his nose to the peak of his cheek bones.

He was pretty. The way his hair seemed to fall into place perfectly and rush back to keep his face in view for Simon. Simon had the urge to reach up and touch the blonde hair and press his lips to each freckle that seemed to be hand painted on his cheeks.

He looked away, Wille's jaw had tensed ever so slightly. He looked at Simon again and smiled.

"I love the snow." Wille admitted to him.

This kid really was a single thought person. Simon wondered what it was like to be able to focus on one thing, maybe one person. Simon looked at the snow and nodded.

"Yea me too" He whispered back.

"Then I'm glad we get to watch it together." Wille matched Simon's volume.

Simon nodded and suddenly, he was the one totally focused on the snow. He rocked forward ever so slightly and leaned into Wille. He watched as the snow fell and focused on each snowflake landing on the grass around the gazebo.

Wille smiled and embraced Simon coming closer, their jackets just barely touching. But still, this closeness was new. New means progress. He gently blew at Simon's curls that hid his eyes ever so slightly.

That brought Simon back to him. Simon couldn't help but giggle. God that had to be the cutest thing that had ever blessed Wille's ears.

"That tickled." Simon laughed then quickly stopped, he cleared his throat and looked down at where his hands disappeared in Wille's coat pockets.

"Sorry, my hands were a little preoccupied. And I wanted to see your face." Wille confessed and shrugged.

"O-oh." Simon stuttered and moved to pull his hands away but Wille only took their hands out of his pockets.

"Mm-mm, I'm fine with them being preoccupied." Wille smiled.

Simon's cheeks were burning and his heart was racing. His breathing was become irregular as he had no choice but to look at Wille. He blinked rapidly and the tears came suddenly.

Wille's eyes widened and his smile faded. He immediately let go of Simon's hands. But Simon didn't move away. He has begun to shake a bit as his eyes stayed locked to Wille.

"Simon" Wille whispered, careful not to touch Simon.

Simon nodded, he stuttered for words but they were failing him. Tears flowed as he stayed glued to where he was standing. He finally looked down at his shaking hands and felt his tear drops fall into his palms.

"Simon, how can I-"

"Snow." Simon managed.

"Snow?"

"Yes, snow"

Wille nodded and rushed to gather some snow. The cold stung his fingers but he rushed to Simon and he held his hands out. Simon took the snow then buried his face in it. Wille's eyes widened yet again and Simon gasped as he pulled his hands away.

"Holy shit." Wille mumbled and took up his sleeve to carefully wipe away the snow from Simon's face.

Simon shut his eyes and took deep breath, letting Wille wipe his face. Simon patted the rest of the snow that linger on his hands on his jacket. His hands were freezing again. He took deep breath then leaned forward, his forehead on Wille's shoulder.

Wille almost jolted at the sudden shift of weight but he managed to stay still enough for Simon. Simon buried his cold face in Wille's coat and his his hands from Wille's again and Wille returned him to his pockets.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

"I'm sorry." Wille mumbled after a few minutes.

"For what?" Simon had pulled his face away from Wille's shoulder his hands remained in Wille's.

"For making you panic like that." Wille mumbled and looked down.

"No, no it's not your fault. It's just, this-" he motioned to their hands with his chin, "is new to me."

"Yea me too" Wille whispered.

Simon laughed softly, his shoulder shaking as he was holding back a stronger laugh. Wille looked up and tilted his head.

"You looked so weirded out when I asked for snow!" Simon explained with his laughter.

"Oh," Wille laughed shyly, "I was just worried about you."

"And your face after, when I was shoved my face in it." Simon laughed more and leaned into Wille, "You were so cute!"

Wille laughed softly, Simon was laughing. Not crying, but laughing. Sure it was slightly at Wille's expense, but he didn't mind at all.

Wille watched Simon laugh and laughed with him. Their hands stayed intertwined as Simon laughed uncontrollably. He had been holding back all the bubbling feelings in his stomach, he couldn't contain it anymore.

Simon settled in his laughter and looked up at Wille, "My sides hurt." he admitted. He didn't know why he told Wille but it just felt necessary. Wille has settled into a warm smile and his eyes were pooling with affection.

Simon wasn't as afraid of that expression anymore. He looked back at Wille and hoped his eyes also held the same affection as that was what he was feeling in that moment.

He didn't know who or what took him, but Simon brought himself up when he felt Wille meaning down. And suddenly his pounding heart and his dizziness seemed to all make sense.

It hadn't been anxiety he was feeling, though it had turned into it. It was anticipation, anticipation for this.

Wille had leaned down and pressed his slightly cracked lips to Simon's.

Simon's lips separated from Wille's after just a few seconds. Wille's heart was racing and he felt warmth all throughout his body. Simon took a breath and released Wille's hands just to place his own on the taller boy's cheeks.

They kissed again, and again. Wille's hands found Simon's arms and he held him closely. They both panted and laughed between the clumsy kisses they were sharing. Their foreheads bumping into each other as they both attempted to lean in at the same time.

Nothing about it was neat or pretty. But it was okay. It would become neat and pretty, to match what coursed between the two boys. Winter was definitely their favorite season.

Notes:

Hope you liked this chapter! I'm very happy abt how it turned out so yea! Thanks for reading! <3

Chapter 9: Snowed In

Summary:

Should we go then?" Simon offered, "What if the buses can't be run soon?"

"No, no. It's too unsafe to go out there, and the buses probably aren't running now." Flora waved the boys off.

Wille looked at Flora, "What should we do then? We can't invade your space."

"Sweet boy," Flora smiled and patted his head, "You and Simon will stay here. And it isn't an invasion so don't you start."

Simon looked at her anxiously and she just let out a laugh. She found it so sweet that they both cared for her comfort.

"You will stay here, do not fight me on this." She grinned and went to the living room to turn on the news.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The snow had calmed and the two boys had become too giggly to kiss. They held hands and stood against the railing of the gazebo. Simon was disappointed that the snow had let up, he worried it would mean that Wille would take them away from the moment. Wille smiles at Simon and admires his expression.

"Are you upset?" Wille asked.

"What? No!" Simon quickly turned back to Wille.

“You sure? You stopped laughing.” Wille teased, “Though your pout is very cute.”

“Oh no, I just-“ Simon looked down, “I don’t want this moment to end.”

Wille was surprised by the confession and shook his head.

“It doesn’t have to, we can just continue it.”

“How?” Simon really wanted to know.

“Well the day is young, let’s hang out.”

Simon nodded and looked around, he wished he could see Flora. He wanted her to see that he had made up with Wille, better than made up. He was proud of it, and he knew Flora wanted the two boys together, more than anything. She really was a matchmaker.

“Could we visit Flora?”

Wille laughed and nodded, “Sure but she might put us to work.”

“I’m okay with that.” Simon shrugged.

The bakery wasn’t open that day but still, Wille called Flora.

“Hey, Ms. Flora, Simon and I are in the area…”

Simon smiled when he heard a deep sigh over the phone.

“The one day I have away from you and you want to infiltrate.” Flora paused, “C’mon up.”

Wille thanked her and the two boys laughed together as they walked to the bakery. Wille rang the doorbell to the door that lead up to Flora’s apartment above the bakery. He then opened the door and climbed the stairs with Simon.

Simon held his hand tightly and walked into the house, taking off his shoes with Wille before Wille called out for the stout woman.

"Miss Flora! We're here!"

"Yes, I know." She called back and walked out of the kitchen.

Her eyes immediately went to their intertwined hands and she smiled widely. She spared their embarrassment and continued on.

"Come in, I'm making lunch." Flora motioned for the two boys to follow her into the kitchen.

They did of course, it was hard not to listen to Flora. Wille sat down at the small table in the kitchen and sat back. It was obvious he had been here before. Simon took another approach, he always found it impolite not to offer help when a guest at one's home.

"Can I help with anything Doña?" Simon fiddled with his fingers, he didn't know they'd feel so empty without Wille's tangled with them.

Flora smiled and shook her head, "No, no. You two relax, I'm almost done so just hold on."

Simon nodded and sat across from Wille, who reached across the table and took his hands. Wille offered a reassuring smile that melted away Simon's frown of worry.

Flora was playing some music through a small speaker that seemed to have a home on the kitchen counter. She hummed and swayed her hips to the rhythm as she stirred the mid-sized pot of mysterious soup.

All the scents Simon could pick up were familiar but belong to different dishes. Aromas of tender meat, various spices, and grains filled Simon's senses as he shut his eyes and let himself sink into the warmth of the soup that would soon fill his stomach.

He opened his eyes at the soft clatter of dishes being set on the table.

"Pozole." He breathed out.

Wille hadn't ever seen such a bright smile, Simon's entire body seemed to be grinning at the sight of Flora's soup. Flora dropped sliced radishes and some cabbage into each of their bowls before squeezing a half of lime in her own.

She then mixed around the contents and gently blew on the meat that has fallen apart and found itself on her spoon. She hummed the moment the warmth broth reached her lips and she shut her eyes as she chewed the tender meat.

Simon squeezed his half of the lime into the soup and followed how Flora has mixed the contents together before taking a big bite.

"Oh my gosh." He breathed out and covered his mouth, "This is delicious!"

Flora laughed and caressed his cheek, "I'll send you home for your mamá y hermanita, Sara"

"Gracias Flora." Simon smiled and continued to eat.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Flora had finished eating and packed a container full of the stew then put it away for later. She looked out the window and frowned.

"The snow is getting heavy." She called over her shoulder.

Simon and Wille stopped eating, looking at Flora as she stared out the window. The two shared a look after seeing all of the snow. It had gotten even heavier than what they had been caught in.

"Should we go then?" Simon offered, "What if the buses can't be run soon?"

"No, no. It's too unsafe to go out there, and the buses probably aren't running now." Flora waved the boys off.

Wille looked at Flora, "What should we do then? We can't invade your space."

"Sweet boy," Flora smiled and patted his head, "You and Simon will stay here. And it isn't an invasion so don't you start."

Simon looked at her anxiously and she just let out a laugh. She found it so sweet that they both cared for her comfort.

"You will stay here, do not fight me on this." She grinned and went to the living room to turn on the news.

She watched the weather report and nodded, calling to the boys in the kitchen.

"Just as I expected, buses aren't running and we're to stay inside until at least tomorrow afternoon." She said over her shoulder.

If Flora had to be honest, she was quite excited to have Wille and Simon in her home. It would be like having her kids, her two sons and daughter, back home.

She muted the tv and shuffled into one of the spare bedrooms she had. They were still set up as if they were waiting for her kids to return. She carefully set out some clothes from her youngest son for each of them.

Wille and Simon, hearing her shuffle away, finished up and washed their dishes carefully then dried them. They shared glances and smiles as they put away their dishes and tidied what they could.

Flora was still moving between the bedrooms, humming to herself when Wille and Simon sought her out.

"Miss Flora, what are you doing?" Wille asked sweetly, he leaned on the door frame as Flora was fixing up one of the beds with fresh sheets and blankets.

"Oh, I'm preparing the bed." She paused, "Will you be sleeping together or should I prepare my other son's bed?"

Simon's eyes widened and Wille turned pink, "Separate!" They both exclaimed.

Flora smiled and nodded, "Well then why don't you help me by taking down those fresh sheets to the other bedroom and stripping the bed?"

Wille and Simon nodded, glancing at each other shyly before Wille went to the closet to take out the clean bedspread.

Simon found the other bedroom and began stripping the bed and neatly folding all of the components. He sat on the now bare mattress and blushed to himself at just the thought of laying in the same bed as Wille. He figured it would be even more stomach-churning than sleeping while on the phone. He knew he wouldn't be able to handle it. He was glad he and Wille were on the same page.

Wille took down the sheets and then rushed over to help Flora with the duvet which was the last part of fixing the bed up. She smiled at him and thanked him before patting the freshly made bed.

"Let's talk."

Wille sat down next to Flora and swallowed hard, suddenly his throat felt like it was closing up. She smiled and took his hand.

"So, Simon and you," Flora stated as if it was normal that two boys could fall for each other.

"Yea, we've gone on a date, and kissed," Wille confessed, giving her an anxious look.

"I see." She whispered affectionately. "Well, I'm glad I didn't have to interfere more."

"What?"

"Well, I wasn't going to let you grow old and alone while you work in my bakery." She teased.

"I wasn't going to!" Wille couldn't help but laugh, "And I met Simon all on my own. We bumped into each other after you sent me to drop off those cookies-"

"And you had to replace the dinner rolls yes, but I gave you that task."

"Sure, but nothing would've happened. I would've just dropped the cookies off and left. That's how I am."

"Hm sure. Well, whoever should be credited for this, Im glad that it's happening." Flora smiles. "I wish you both a happy and healthy relationship."

"Flora, we just kissed. I'm not even sure if he likes me enough to have a relationship." Wille mumbled.

Simon approached the bedroom, he heard their voices, and paused. He leaned against the door frame just as Wille spoke the last few words. He knocked on the wall softly and looked at Wille. The young boy's eyes widen a bit and he cleared his throat, which made Simon smile.

Flora laughed softly and took up the old sheets, walking past Simon to put them in the wash then returned to go and make the other bed. Simon walked over to Wille and sat down.

"Did you hear?" Wille asked, opening his hand, a way to ask permission to hold Simon's hand.

"Mhm..." Simon hummed and put his hand in Wille's.

"So, what are you thinking? Regarding us and a relationship?" Wille asked, he'd always rather transparency over avoiding it for the sake of feelings.

"Uhm well, I dunno yet." Simon sighed, "I just- I haven't done this before."

"Me neither."

"And I don't really have the best displays of love in my life and so I dunno how to maneuver...these feelings. They're good feelings and holding your hand, kissing you, it's nice and I want to keep doing it."

Wille nodded, Simon seemed to be thinking aloud. Wille appreciated it, Simon's raw and unfiltered thought process helped him understand where the boy stood in whatever they'd call their situation.

"So I don't want you to think that I don't...want a relationship. It's just that, I think it's good that we take it slow."

"Yea, okay. We're both so new to it so I guess we can figure it all out together."

"Figure it out together..."

"Yea."

"Okay."

"Good."

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Wille rubbed Simon's hand with his thumb and locked eyes with him. The two smiled at one another as they looked at each other, their mutual warmth bubbling in both their stomachs. Simon leaned forward and kissed Wille's cheek.

"Thank you for getting it, getting me, just a little bit," Simon whispered and pressed his lips to the shell of Wille's ear before sitting back,

Wille's ears turned red and he smiled shyly as he locked eyes with Simon again. This was all so new. Simon seemed to have changed how he held himself so quickly, yet Wille felt like he knew nothing about him.

He had figured out that no matter how much you kiss a person, it won't tell you what makes them the person that stands before you. All that can reveal that is learning it through building a safe relationship and talking with one another. He'd hoped that, at Simon's pace, he'd learn everything possible about Simon.

Simon looked down at their hands, how they held each other's so delicately yet firmly. Neither of them wanted to let go, he knew that much. But that was simply all he really knew about what he was feeling. He knew that this would be a challenge. A relationship, even just an inkling of one, requires vulnerability.

Simon wasn't sure if he'd be capable of allowing himself to melt away his walls and expose his vulnerability to Wille. Maybe if he did it slowly, it wouldn't seem as bad. He'd hoped that maybe if they went slowly, it would be so easy that he'd just wake up one day and realize that Wille truly did know him.

What if Wille gets tired? Tired of all his baggage, tired of waiting for Simon to be ready, tired of Simon not knowing what he was doing, tired of giving more than receiving. Simon worried that he'd disappoint the young bakery worker. He didn't want to hurt Wille, but it would hurt more to let him go.

Simon had been so into his head that he hadn't noticed his head was resting on Wille's shoulder, their fingers interlocked and Wille planting kisses in his hair. It was comfortable as if they had done it a million times. It felt like a default, to be this close to Wille. It felt easy.

Simon lifted his head carefully and looked up at Wille. Wille offered a small smile, something Simon would soon learn meant that Wille was silently asking if he was okay, with which Simon would learn a smile back yes and an unchanged expression was a no.

Until then, Simon only knew that Wille was being cute. Cuter than Simon believed was real. So he just laughed and grinned because he meant it, not because it was an answer to a silent question. It was just because he wanted to, he really really wanted to.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Flora had given them the space they needed, even after she had finished readying the bed in the other room. She had found herself in the kitchen, reading some muffin mix from scratch for the two boys to eat before bed or in the morning.

Either way, she was glad that she could provide their stomachs with food, especially during such cold weather. She smiled when the two boys reappeared in the kitchen.

"Not a single day off huh Ms. Flora?" Wille teased and took an apron from off the hooks and took over mixing the content of the bowl Flora had added together.

"Never, we need breakfast and I just so happen to know a very nice baker who loves to make muffins." She played.

"Hmm, well tell her thank you as I am sure that Simon and I will enjoy them thoroughly when they're eaten.” Wille played along.

Simon, the boy with no baking ability had sat down at the small table of Flora's kitchen and was propping his chin up on his palm. He watched Flora and Wille bake and play with one another as they exchanged laughs and smiles. They were beautiful, all that surrounded them was their love for one another.

Simon chewed on his lip as he watched the two people he couldn't title as anything but much too different and yet something fit between Flora and Wille, and Simon adored it. He felt the prickling of tears in his nose and eyes as he focused on Flora. She grinned and laughed with her eyes as well as her lips and teeth, he could see why Wille was so in love with her.

Simon laughed softly when Flora finally kicked out the playful Wille away from the oven and he sat down next to Simon. Simon leaned into him and Wille kissed his head, Simon could get used to that feeling. Simon lifted his head and pressed a kiss to Wille’s cheek then returned his head to Wille’s shoulder as they both watched Flora put the two trays of muffins into the oven. She then wiped her hands on the apron she was wearing before tidying up the mess she had made. In reality it had been Wille who had made most of the mess but she didn’t mind cleaning up. He was usually in charge of cleaning up the kitchen in the bakery so she figured he’d prefer to sit and chat with Simon.

Flora joined them at the table shortly after with cups of coffee and some cookies.

“Flora, why did you bake when you already had cookies?” Wille laughed and bit into a cookie.

“Because cookies aren’t breakfast, they’re dessert.” Flora crossed her arms in front of her chest.

“Yea and muffins are breakfast.” Simon teased Wille.

“Oh no, I can’t have two of you!” Wille jokingly whined and put his head in his hands.

Simon and Flora both laugh and pat Wille’s back as he pretends to cry into his hands. Wille looks at the both of them as they share a look. A look that contained their shared affection for the once quiet and shy blonde boy. Of course Flora’s was deeper and much longer winded but Simon was learning more about how Wille was and was destined to learn how to love him just as Flora did, maybe in a different way as well. Only time would tell. The three talked with the assistance of the coffee. Wille talked about his brother, which allowed Flora to talk about her two sons and how they are together. That lead to Simon asking what it was like to have a brother, he even brought up Sara and how different they were.

Flora talked about her kids more than Wille had ever heard of them. He wondered if it was because of Simon. Simon asked questions, about her, her late husband and their children and there was never a drop of judgement in his tone. Simon was asking questions many people would deem too personal but he seemed to make Flora comfortable and so she seemed to be an open book. Wille had learned that Flora’s husband had passed away when her youngest, the son that Wille reminded her of, was only eleven. He learned that night that Flora’s husband had been a good husband and an even better father.

He finally understood why Flora still wore her ring and why she touched it each time she saw an older couple come into the bakery. She hadn’t been able to grow old with her husband, she held onto him with her ring and saw herself and him in each couple that walked in. Wille was crying before he knew it, hugging Flora tightly. He had fallen even deeper in love with her. Flora’s eyes were glossy as she looked over Wille’s shoulder to look at Simon’s sympathetic smile. The three said good night shortly after, there was nothing else worth talking about, they had shared enough for now.

Simon and Wille got ready for bed together, they brushed their teeth shoulder to shoulder as they laughed at the old clothes that Flora had set out. The clothes were a bit too big for them both but they smelled like Flora and her home so they didn’t complain one bit. Flora checked in once more, telling them that they can go into the kitchen whenever they wanted even if she wasn’t awake. Wille and Simon both thanked her and hugged her once more before she disappeared into her room. They then looked at one another and waved shyly.

‘Goodnight Simon.” Wille whispered.

“Night,” Simon whispered back.

Wille took Simon’s hand and pulled him closer, kissing him softly. Simon was shocked but managed to kiss back before Wille pulled away. Simon cupped Wille’s face with both his hands and kissed Wille again.

“Night,” Simon repeated, another kiss.

“Night.” Wille stole another kiss, pulling Simon into a hug.

“Wille.” Simon attempted to seem like he was complaining but he failed.

He was smiling widely and hugging Wille back, their lips finding each other again and again in the dim hallway perfectly between the rooms they’d be staying in. Simon finally patted Wille’s back and they pulled away. Simon waved again, walking backwards into his bedroom for the night. Wille stayed planted where he was until Simon’s door shut. He then turned on his heels and went to lay down. He sighed happily and laughed when his phone vibrated.

s: we have to ask where Flora got her sheets

w: mm

s: are you falling asleep on me?

w: no

s: okay

w: something wrong?

s: no, just feels weird sleeping in a bed that isn’t mine.

w: yea, kinda weird.

s: yea.

w: well, goodnight.

s: night.

Wille plugged in his phone, putting it on do not disturb then set it on the bedside table. Just as he curled up into himself and shut his eyes, he opened them again, he had heard a soft knock on the door.

Notes:

Hi, so I changed my user name on here but hopefully it isn't too different! My twitter has changed to the same user so if you wanna find me, it's dazedilemma! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Chapter 10: A Request

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Yes?”

Wille had turned into the dark void that was the unfamiliar bedroom.

“It’s Simon.”

“Oh, come in.”

Simon opened the door and shuffled into the dark room, he shut the door behind him and reached out to try and find the bed.

“My eyes haven’t adjusted, I had a lamp on in my room…” Simon mumbled.

Wille nodded, smiling when he realized Simon wouldn’t be able to see him do so. He reached out and Simon’s fingertips find his palm and he clumsily intertwined their fingers. Wille laughed softly and gently pulled Simon closer, allowing him to find the bed and sink into the mattress. Wille sat up slowly and Simon squinted, leaning forward and past Wille to open the blinds of the window behind him just enough to make Wille backlit by the street light.

“Hi,” Wille whispered as Simon straightened and looked at him.

“Hey,” Simon whispered back, looking down at his hands in his lap.

“So what’s up?” Wille asked and took Simon’s hand, a way to take his attention too.

“Uhm, well, I just couldn’t sleep in there alone.” Simon cleared his throat, “Too unfamiliar.”

“And you came in here?” Wille asked and looked around the room.

“Hm, yep.” Simon hummed and looked at their locked hands.

“Can I ask why?” Wille asked gently.

Simon shook his head and laid down, his back turned toward Wille. Wille looked down at Simon and leaned down, combing his fingers through Simon’s hair and kissing his temple. Simon turned and shut his eyes slowly as he let Wille press kisses into the side of his face. Simon felt himself melt into Wille, taking a deep breath as Wille’s lips found him for a slow and gentle kiss. Simon turned on lay on his back just as Wille pulled away from their kiss. They stared at one another as they both readjusted on the bed. Simon is on his back and Wille sitting up but his hand is on Simon’s opposite side.

Simon could feel his stomach churning as he stared at Wille. He wondered if the feeling would ever fade, maybe it would worsen or maybe he’d just get used to it. He didn’t know. He didn’t want to worry if Wille would always make him feel this way. Wille offered Simon a soft smile, he knew that Simon wanted to say something to him. Wille just waited. Simon built up the courage.

“I just don’t like sleeping alone in a bed that isn’t mine,” Simon whispered.

he remembered being little before his father left him, Sara, and their Mama. Their father would always bring them when he was searching for one of his countless fixes and he’d send them off to sleep in the bedroom of whichever house he had dragged them to. Damn their Mama for working the night shifts just for their father to spend all the money on this. Simon would hold Sara closely as they lay in the bed. She would cry into his chest until she was too tired, eventually falling asleep. Simon would hold her and knew that he would at least wake up to Sara still asleep.

Simon felt as though he had been wearing that memory on his face as Wille’s hand caressed his cheek and his eyes were swirling with worry.

“Would you be okay…” Simon looked up at Wille, “if I slept in here with you?”

Wille nodded and Simon sat up, moving closer and hugging Wille tightly. Wille kissed Simon’s shoulder and rubbed his back, he could feel Simon shaking. He wanted to know why. Why did this boy who seemed indifferent about everything, feared simply sleeping in a bedroom that wasn’t his? But he didn’t push, he didn’t even speak, he didn’t want to say the wrong thing.

Simon refused to cry, he gripped the borrowed shirt that Wille wore. Wille pulled away slowly and looked at Simon, whose eyes were glossed over.

“Oh,” Wille laughed affectionately and held his face, “You’re so cute.”

Simon laughed shyly and looked down again, shaking his head as Wille kissed his nose. Simon leaned into Wille and hugged him close again. He tilted his head up and kissed him softly. The two both took in a breath as they slowly found their groove again. Their lips move together, their breaths mix, and teeth catch bottom lips. They laugh together and find themselves laid down, Wille’s lips capturing Simon’s slowly and surely tugging them a bit just to reconnect them. Simon pulled away and looked up at Wille, who was hovering over him. Simon was grinning.

“What?” Wille asked and pushed Simon’s curls away from his forehead.

“Hm?” Simon tilted his head.

“You’re smiling.”

“Am I not allowed to smile?”

“No, of course, you are, it’s just new.”

“I smile all the time.”

“Hm, you sure?”

“Well yes, mainly with my family and friends. Now with you too, I guess.”

“So this is something I’ll be able to get used to then?”

“Well yea, as long as you keep making me smile.”

Wille smiled and nodded, leaning down to kiss Simon a bit deeper than they had before. Simon brought his hand to Wille’s cheek and held it in place. Wille smiles and pulls away just enough to get a good look at Simon. Simon hooked his thumb under Wille’s chin. Wille giggles and leans down to kiss him but Simon playfully pulls away.

“Hey, keep me here and kiss me or I’ll pull away.” Wille playfully threatened.

“Your empty threats mean nothing to me.” Simon quirked his eyebrows up.

Wille laughs softly and drops his head onto Simon’s chest. Simon laughed softly and tangled his fingers in Wille’s hair, kissing the top of his head. He ruffled his hair and Wille lifts his head again. Simon pulled him closer, initiating a kiss this time. Wille pushed himself up and hovered over Simon as they began to get their rhythm with one another. Wille attempted to pull away but Simon’s hands in his hair kept him there. Wille wrapped his arms around Simon’s waist and hugged him closely as they kissed.

Simon finally pulled away, giggling with his cheek bright red. Wille laughs softly and rests on Simon’s chest. Simon hummed softly and kissed his head while playing with his hair.

“This is nice, isn’t it?” Wille mumbled.

“It is, kissing is nice,” Simon confessed.

“Just kissing or kissing me?”

“Uh, they’re one and the same, I guess. I don’t know what it’s like not to kiss you.”

“Wait, what?”

“What?”

“Was I-“

“My first kiss, yes.”

“Oh.”

“Is that a bad thing?” Simon sat up and Wille followed.

“No, no. Of course not.” Wille took Simon’s hand, leaning against the headboard with Simon.

“You’re surprised then?” Simon rested his head on Wille’s shoulder.

“Of course I am.” Wille played with Simon’s fingers with his, “I just- looking like you, I just assumed you’ve kissed people.”

“Looking like me?” Simon laughed.

“Yes! You’re gorgeous!”

“I am not.”

“You are.” Wille smiled.

“Shut up.” Simon buried his face in Wille’s shoulder.

“Fine,” Wille whispered and looked down at their hands.

Simon smiled a little and played with Wille’s fingers, causing Wille to smile too. Wille kissed Simon’s head and Simon yawned.

“Should we go to bed?” Wille asked, causing Simon to lift his head.

“Mhm, I’m tired,” Simon mumbled and let go of Wille’s hand to rub his eyes.

Wille nodded and scooted away, shutting the blinds that were next to the bed. Simon laid down facing Wille’s side of the bed, smiling when Wille laid down facing him. Wille reached up and pushed Simon’s curls away from his forehead and caressed his cheek. Simon shut his eyes and leaned into the touch. He thought that moments like this would overwhelm him, that Wille would overwhelm him yet he was at ease. He was getting used to the butterflies, and he wanted to be. He just hoped that Wille felt the same way. Wille moved closer and pulled Simon to his chest, kissed his forehead then shut his eyes.

“Good night Simon.”

“Night Wille.”

Notes:

Hi, this is a bit of a short chapter but I just wanted these two to be sappy and sweet for a bit!

Chapter 11: Morning

Summary:

Wille got up and Simon followed, grabbing his hand as they walked out into the hallway and toward the bathroom. When the bathroom door shut, Simon hugged Wille from behind and pressed his cheek against his back.

"It's cold outside of bed." Simon pouted and tried to cling to Wille's warmth as much as he could.

"Mhm." Wille had begun to brush his teeth and the foam in his mouth didn't allow him to do anything but hum.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Simon woke up on Wille's chest, he could tell by the way the sunlight was peering into the bedroom through the blinds that it was quite early in the morning.

He looked up at Wille and wondered when they had switched positions and he had become the one held instead of Wille. He didn't mind and just turned over to open the blinds a bit and look out at the snowy scene just outside of the window. The snow had stopped but it filled the streets.

Simon felt the warmth of Wille's arms wrapped around him and his lips pressing to the shell of his ear. Simon giggled as it tickled and lifted his shoulder up a bit, his fingers naturally intertwining with Wille's.

"Morning," Wille whispers.

"Oh god!" Simon teased and covered Wille's mouth.

"What?" His voice was muffled as he laughed.

"Your breath is literally awful!" Simon laughed.

"Rude, yours isn't so minty and fresh either!" Wille nudged Simon's hand away from his mouth.

Simon's hand stayed holding Wille's face as he turned onto his back to look up at Wille. Wille smiled and leaned down to kiss Simon for the first time that day.

"How did you sleep?" Simon asked and stole another kiss before Wille rested his chin on Simon's chest.

"Well, it was nice sleeping with you." Wille hummed and drew shapes on Simon's chest.

Simon nodded and played with Wille's hair.

"How did you sleep?" Wille asked, cautious to not step over a line.

"I slept well too," Simon hummed, "Better than when i'm alone."

Wille nodded, attempting to contain his proud smile but failing. That made Simon smile just as proudly and pull Wille up for another kiss.

"We should brush our teeth." Wille laughed and Simon nodded.

Wille got up and Simon followed, grabbing his hand as they walked out into the hallway and toward the bathroom. When the bathroom door shut, Simon hugged Wille from behind and pressed his cheek against his back.

"It's cold outside of bed." Simon pouted and tried to cling to Wille's warmth as much as he could.

"Mhm." Wille had begun to brush his teeth and the foam in his mouth didn't allow him to do anything but hum.

Simon peeked at Wille through the mirror and smiled at how Wille's eyes still looked tired and his face just a bit puffy. He found him cute with his bed head and just woke up expression.

Simon slid his hands up the front of Wille's shirt just to press his colder hands to Wille's warm abdomen. Wille immediately attempted to flex under his touch and Simon giggled, wiggling his fingers around, causing Wille to suck in his stomach and lean down to spat out the toothpaste.

"Don't!" Wille laughed and washed off his toothbrush with a struggle as Simon hadn't listened.

Simon giggled when Wille put away his toothbrush and began trying to pry his hands away from his stomach. Simon was stubborn and stronger than he looked so it was a true struggle for Wille. But, Wille won the playful wrestle, his hands held Simon's and he blew into his face.

Simon pulled a face and giggled when Wille feigned being offended. Simon pulled his hands away and replaced Wille in front of the sink and began to brush his teeth as he stared at Wille through the mirror.

Wille's eyes was holding an unreadable expression as he rested his hands on Simon's hips and stared right back at Simon through the mirror. Simon's eyes fluttered shut when Wille began to pepper kisses onto his neck. He naturally tilted his head and left the toothbrush to stay still in his mouth.

Simon felt Wille's hands up in his shirt and it was surely not to get them warm as they were bringing more warmth to Simon's body than taking. Simon stuttered a breath out and leaned away to spat out the toothpaste and rinse his toothbrush.

Wille's kisses didn't let up but rather traveled to Simon's shoulder and his hands still just ran over Simon's abdomen. Simon leaned into him and reached up to tug at Wille's hair a bit, pulling him back to kiss his neck.

Simon chewed on his lip shyly as he didn't know if Wille would make him admit to enjoying it as much as he did. But Wille said nothing, just turned Simon around and leaned him against the sink. Simon felt Wille's hands back on his hips and his thumbs padded against his most prominent bones on either side.

Simon looked at Wille whose dipped head restricted his view of his face. Simon's hand found Wille's hair once again and pulled him face up.

"Baby~" Simon whispered.

There it was, the first pet name, term of endearment. Whatever it was, it was uttered from Simon's lips, no, exhaled as if it'd be his last word. Wille's knees could buckle right there and then but he held his ground and locked eyes with Simon again.

"We can't- We should go and see Flora," Simon whispered, clearly disappointed too.

Wille nodded and was about to pull away but Simon wrapped his arms around Wille's neck and hugged him tightly, lifting himself up to press his lips to Wille's. Wille secured his arms around Simon and held him just as closely as they shared their last kiss before finding Flora.

God they'd have to find a way to be alone together.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

"Good morning boys, sleep well?" Flora was setting out a fresh pot of coffee when Wille and Simon entered the kitchen.

"Mhm, thank you Ms. Flora, for letting us stay here." Wille says gently and went to kiss Flora's cheek.

Flora smiles and reached up to fix the boy's bed head with her fingers. It was more of a product of his make out with Simon. Who would've known Simon was one to tangle his fingers in hair.

"Yes thank you, and it was very nice." Simon says and kisses Flora's cheek as well.

Wille and Simon sat down. Flora has set out some small pastries she must've just made. They were warm and rich with various berries. God was she an amazing baker. Simon took a bite and could've melted in the spot. And he did, he leaned into Wille and melted into his shoulder as he fed him the other half of the pastry.

"Flora, you have to make these for the bakery! They're amazing." Wille took another and bit half of it, feeding the other half to Simon.

"Oh no I couldn't, I haven't perfected a large batch yet. They'd have to extremely exclusive if we were to sell them."

Flora had sat down across from them and was holding her big cup of coffee with both her hands.

"Oh Flora, please? You can teach Wille and these deserve to be exclusive or one of those off menu things only loyal customers know!" Simon hummed as he popped another entire pastry into his mouth.

"Well if you both like them so much, I will consider it." Flora laughed as the boys had only eaten the berry tarts.

"Hmm i'll buy the first batch that's made, for my mama and sister." Simon smiled and sips his coffee.

Wille nodded, "I can find a way to ship some to Erik. Or I'll force him to visit."

"Hmm you're both too kind." Flora smiles and takes the now empty plate of berry tarts and pushes some of the muffins she had made toward them.

The two happily taste tested each one, by the end of breakfast they were full and both had their own rankings of each pastry. Flora had gotten up half way through all the pastries and begun to tidy the kitchen.

Soon Simon and Wille both stood and helped in the kitchen after having put on some music. The three of them sung along to the songs they knew and attempted to sing the next line of the songs they didn't know.

Flora was forced by the two young boys to take a seat and just relax as they cleaned the kitchen together. She was outside of their little bubble and she was okay with that. They reminded her of herself and her husband, even long into their years together.

Flora's husband had kept her young, he was playful and funny and when she lost him she felt that the young girl he had met and maintained within her, went with him. She mourned him and herself for many weeks.

She had to remind herself that though he wasn't there with her physically, he'd always be with her in spirit. She wasn't a very religious woman but the comfort of imagining her husband keeping his young Flora alive within her allowed her to live freely.

Flora watched as the two boys flirted and laughed together, dancing and singing, sharing kisses as if she weren't there. She was content, she had opened her home to them and they had planted roots. She's hoped that Wille and Simon could call her now empty home their home too.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Flora stood in the hallway of her home as Simon and Wille pulled on their coats. Wille hummed when he heard the crinkling of something in one of his inner pockets.

He frowned and took out the envelope that Flora had slipped inside of his coat the night before his winter break. He looked at it and smiles, he recognized Flora's handwriting of course and held up the envelope.

"What's this?"

"You're just finding it now?"

Wille laughed and shrugged but moved to open it. Flora reached out and gently pushed his hand away.

"No, since you were fine without it this far, why don't you save it for a rainy day?" Flora whispered sweetly and winked at Simon.

Simon blushed a little and Wille kissed Flora's cheek. His curiosity was piqued but he knew that Flora would scold him if he opened the letter at a time he didn't need it. Flora took the envelope and tucked it back into Wille's pocket then patted his chest.

"Stay warm you two." Flora's way of goodbye was always caring with some edge to it.

"We will." Simon smiled and kissed her cheek.

"We're going to mine, since there might be a part two of the storm."

"Hmm good, that's good to stay together. You shouldn't risk not being able to talk to each other, especially in the honeymoon phase."

Wille and Simon share a look then both blush, sharing a shy laugh from Flora's label of their relationship, or at least an aspect of it. Neither were upset of course, but they still weren't used to be associated to being one in the same.

Wille and Simon give Flora an extra hug goodbye before they ventured out in their coats and borrowed hats and gloves as they walked slowly toward the bus stop at the edge of town. Simon held onto Wille's coat arm as they did so.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Simon shivered a little as they settled under the slight overhand of the bus stop and less wind was hitting them directly. Wille readjusted Simon's scarf for him to cover his ears and most of his face, but of course he stole the few kisses Simon allowed in public.

"Wille."

"Simon."

"We're in public."

"It's not like we're going to be like, i dunno, remaking porn" Wille laughed and Simon smiled. "and the public seems to be nowhere to be seen."

"That's true but still," Simon whispered and looked around.

There really was no one around, which made him smile and wrap his arms around Wille's torso and kiss him again. Wille laughed into kiss and held Simon's face gently. Simon giggled and rested against Wille's chest when he heard the bus coming.

The two paid the fare and settled into two seats. Simon between the window and Wille and Wille next to the empty seat closest to the walkway. Simon looked over and motioned for Wille to scoot over but Wille just shook his head with a grin.

Simon feigned annoyance but when Wille held out his hand, Simon took it. Wille laughed and pulled their hands to his chest and kissed Simon's fingers while the curly headed boy smiled toward the window.

"You are so stupid." Simon laughed enough to fog up the window a bit.

"Mhm," Wille nodded and kissed Simon's cheek then settled for looking up toward the driver with a smile on his lips.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Simon shut his bedroom door and breathily laughed when Wille belly flopped onto his bed.

"Ugh I dunno why I'm so tired!" Wille groaned and laughed a little, rolling onto his back.

Simon shrugged and sat down closer to his pillows. Wille looked up at him and sat up, there was some space between them but Simon held out his hand and Wille's took it.

"I was asking for remote." Simon smiled.

Wille blushed deeply and laughs it off as he grabs Simon's remote and hands it to him. Simon thanked him then released his hand to lean up against the wall and turned on his tv.

"There's going to be another wave of the storm tonight." Simon repeats what the news had said.

Wille nodded, he had moved himself toward Simon and was laying his head on his lap. Simon had naturally began to play with his hair.

"What should we do?" Wille asked.

"What do you mean?" Simon tilted his head.

"Well it's going to snow, but not until later. Do you want to kick me out-" Wille laughed with Simon rolled his eyes.

"Or do you mind if I stay here?" Wille finished.

Simon wanted Wille to stay. Of course he did. Being with Wille...something just felt like it had clicked. He didn't know what, or how this boy managed to insert himself into the foregrounds of his mind but he dreaded the thought of him leaving.

Staying meant meeting Mama, and Sara. Simon wasn't sure he was ready for them to always ask about Wille when the room got quiet during dinner. Or shared knowing looks if the two boys were playfully flirting at the dinner table.

He didn't want this to somehow get back to Micke, his father. Anything his family knows, Micke manages to find out. He had this relentless way of trying to get Simon to talk to him. A flurry of texts, positive or negative. Simon blocked him most of the time, but sometimes he just silenced his phone, just to see how long his father would go for.

"Simme...if it's going to make you leave into your pretty little head then we can just scrap me staying over. Even forget I asked." Wille offered.

He had sat up and was sitting next to Simon, but looking at the wall across of them, a music poster. Simon looked at him and shook his head.

"No, please stay." Simon whispered.

He didn't want to let Wille go, more than he didn't want his stubborn father to be messaging him. A block button was a genius feature of a phone. Simon took a deep breath and stared at his music poster as well.

"Do you like music?" Wille asked.

"Mhm" Simon hummed.

When did Wille learn how to pull Simon out of his mind?

"What instruments do you play?"

"Piano, and I sing."

"You sing?"

"What? Are you surprised?"

Wille laughed and shook his head.

"Not at all, of course you'd sing."

"What does that mean?"

"You're this gorgeous, curly headed boy, who has dark brown pools of liquid gold when in the sun eyes...it just makes sense." Wille smiled, "Plus you have the best laugh, I should've known."

Simon looked at Wille with his eyes wide and his lips partly separated. He was shocked. Wille smiled, as if he didn't understand Simon's surprise. The blond just leaned forward and kissed Simon.

Simon shyly laughs and leans back into the wall. Blinking blankly at the wall as he was truly processing what Wille had said.

"You look cute when you're in shock." Wille teased.

"Shut up." Simon smiled a little, "I'm just not used to this."

"Mm, every time you say this, it's becoming more and more believable."

"Did you not believe me before?"

"No, I figured you were just playing humble. But now...I can tell you're telling the truth."

Simon looked down at his lap and chewed on his lip. All he had heard from his father when he spoke to Mama was berating and sometimes, when he was high enough, very obvious bigotry. He had never called her beautiful. This was all new.

Simon never let himself get close enough to a person where he'd risk hearing the same things. Wille had bumped into his life, and had instantly called him beautiful. Something he'd wanted for his mom until his father left, told to him by a stranger within minutes of meeting.

Wille could notice that Simon was back in his head. He just held his hand and rubbed his hand with his thumb, patiently waiting for Simon to return to him. Simon had moved closer and was hugging Wille's arm.

Simon's eyes shifted around his own room and took in his poster, his keyboard leaning against the wall since he didn't have a stand, his clothes on the floor that didn't bother him until now. He stood up and scooped up the clothes, burying them into his hamper, clean or not.

Wille looked over when Simon turned back to face him. Wille offered a smile but Simon didn't return it, so it faded but not with any hurt. Wille was listening but Simon didn't know if he was willing to speak. He looked at his feet.

"It's because of my dad. He's a shit father and an even shit person. I guess-" Simon swallowed the lump in his throat, "I guess i'm just not used to seeing this kind of...love...? from someone."

Wille looked at Simon and moved to join him where he stood, but Simon took a step back. Wille settle back onto the edge of the bed and looked down at his locked fingers. Simon let out a shaky breath.

He hadn't told anyone new about his dad before. It was because he didn't have anyone new in his life until now. Ayub and Rosh had been around while Micke was still around. But they never knew about the things that happened under the sole care of Micke. He'd hoped they never would.

Simon had said all he was willing, now Wille knew what Rosh and Ayub did. That's enough.

Simon had begun to cry. That's when Wille stood and held out his arms, which Simon fit himself into.

Simon had cried three times in the short weeks he had known Wille. He'd only cried that much with Rosh and Ayub after ten years of friendship.

What was this boy doing to Simon?

How did he do this?

Simon shook in Wille's hold. Wille was calmly rubbing his back and whispering reassurances into Simon's ear. Simon had rested his hands on Wille's chest, just in case he needed to push him away.

But Wille didn't trip over any words, didn't try to joke to ease the tension. He just stood in it, melting it away from the core of it, Simon. Simon cried harder, his arms now wrapped around Wille's neck, burying his face into the crook of his neck.

He was scared, not because of Wille. Not because Wille reminded him of his father, but because there couldn't be any way Wille would ever turn out like Micke. Wille was good, and Simon wasn't sure if he, himself was good.

He didn't want to hurt Wille and he didn't want to pile expectation onto him. But he wanted to keep feeling this way, the butterflies, the nerves, the laughter, the flirting, Wille's lips. He wanted it all, with Wille. Even if it cost him. He didn't know if there was a price to pay for this feeling, but he was to pay it.

Notes:

Surprise chapter at the start of the week lol! I am really so in love with writing these two that I uploaded chapter 10 and immediately started writing chapter 11! I'm itching to write chapter 12 now! I hope you're enjoying reading this story as much as I am enjoying writing! Thanks for reading <3

Chapter 12: A Night In With You

Notes:

Surprise! Another chapter! I just felt like writing these two some more and decided that I might as well just upload lol!

WARNING: Mature Content (fade to black scene)

Hope you enjoy!

Chapter Text

Wille laid beside Simon as he slept. His nose was still pink and his breathing shaky from being stuffed. His eyes were puffy and obviously tired. Wille played with his curls carefully, not wanting to wake him up.

He just stayed laying next to Simon. He took in his features, how his lips naturally pouted, how his jaw flexed ever so slightly at each breath he took.

The light of day time had faded and it was evening. Wille could hear movement outside of Simon's room and only figured that it was his Mama and his sister, Sara. He didn't move when they had called from Simon. Simon didn't wake.

That had been two hours ago. Sara had peeked in and Wille waved awkwardly. She has quickly shut the door then Wille heard hushed whispered between Simon's mother and sister. It made him smile, but he'd hoped Simon wouldn't be upset.

Wille moved forward and draped his arm on Simon when he saw him stir. Wille placed his head right next to Simon's. Simon opened his eyes to meet Wille's. Simon pulled away slightly as he recollected himself and remembered Wille was an invited guest.

"How long did I sleep for?" Simon asked.

"Mm about six hours." Wille whispered.

Simon pulled away and turned to grab his phone. The time read 4:21pm. His family was home. He stood up quickly and rushed to his mirror, fixing up his hair and rubbing the puffiness of his eyes.

"My mama and sister are home."

Wille sat up and nodded, a sheepish smile on his lips.

"They saw you didn't they?"

"No, no, not on purpose. Uh they called for you and Sara came in. You didn't wake up so I just waved and she left."

"Fuck." Simon breathed out. "I didn't, why did you let me sleep?"

Wille stood, "I thought you needed it."

"Thank you baby, but-" Simon sighed and kissed his cheek, "I'm sorry, I just don't want them to think- you're my first- this is the first time I've had a boy over that isn't Ayub."

"And you didn't want them to see me for the first time, in your bed..." Wille smiled.

Simon nodded and Wille laughed. Pulling him closer by his hips and kissing him sweetly. Simon reached up into Wille's hair and tugged a bit as they kissed. He really was a hair tugger.

"Does that mean you want them to like me?" Wille asked.

"Well of course, why wouldn't I want that?" Simon whispered and kissed Wille again.

"I dunno, just means this is, we are serious," Wille smiles.

"Is that a bad thing?" Simon asked, a pang panic rang through his chest.

"No, no," Wille cupped Simon's worried face and kisses him, "I like serious."

Simon kissed back, Wille's tone could've made him buckle right then and there. But, he needed to introduce him to his family. Simon gently pushed Wille's chest and laughed shyly when Wille kissed his cheek and neck instead.

"Wille," Simon whispered, not really resisting.

"Simon." Wille whispered back as he trailed kisses back to Simon's lips.

"Enough." Simon giggled and kissed back each time.

"Hmm I can't help it." Wille laughed with him, speaking between small pecks.

"Well you're gonna have to." Simon laughed and tugged Wille's face away with his hair.

"Ouch," Wille joked and Simon rolled his eyes.

Simon pecked him once more before fixing his hair for him. He then took his hand and lead him out of his room. He licked his lips and his stomach growled. His mama was cooking and he was starving.

"Oh Simon, Sara told me you were-" Simon's mama started, "oh hi!"

"Hi, I'm Wilhelm." Wille held out his hand and Simon's mama shook it.

"Linda, nice to meet you."

"Likewise," Wille smiles and moved back to hide behind Simon's smaller frame.

"Are you staying for dinner," Sara had appeared suddenly and looked Wille up and down, "Wilhelm?"

"Uhm, if you're willing to have me," Wille smiled, "And just Wille, Sara."

"Oh he knows my name," Sara was speaking to Simon.

Simon huffed and rolled his eyes.

"And you know mine," Wille smiles.

"Mm, don't think it means any more than it is." Sara carried three plates to the table. "You'll have to ask Mama if you can stay."

"Of course he can Sara." Linda says and smiles at Wille.

"Thank you, Ms. Eriksson." Wille smiled.

Simon looked up at Wille who was smiling widely. Damn what a fucking charmer. Simon laughed, all he wanted to do was kiss him. Wille deserved as many kisses as possible from how his Mama was smiling.

"Uhm, Mamá, we were actually uhm planning- I was wondering if Wille could stay here tonight? Since the storm and the roads..." Simon chewed on his lip.

"Of course, should I make up the couch after dinner?" Linda asked as she mixed what could only be pasta sauce.

"No, he'll just sleep in my bed..." Simon cleared his throat, "with me."

"Okay," Linda hadn't bat an eye.

Sara was watching them talk to her Mama as she set down all the utensils. Simon glanced at her and she squinted but then smiled. She was acting. Simon smiled back and she raised her brows.

"He's cute," she mouthed to Simon and Simon nodded.

Luckily Wille was too busy charming their mama to notice. Sara moved past him and took an extra plate and utensils for the table. Simon then grabbed four glasses.

"Bab-Wille, could you fill the pitcher with water?" Simon asked.

"Oh sure," Wille laughed a little and filled the pitcher with cold water before carrying it over to the table.

Linda put their dinner into a large bowl and joined them at the table. She sat down and smiled, Wille then served her, Sara, Simon then himself. He earned another million kisses.

The family and Wille all ate happily. Sara and Linda asked Wille about himself, he talked about his parents, his brother, his job and Flora. He made them laugh, he laughed plenty too. The two boys held hands under the table as they all talked way beyond the time they finished their dinner.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

It had been nearly three hours by the time Linda finally sat up and took in a breath.

"Well, it was lovely to meet you Wille. I hope to see more of you, you seem to be a great addition to my son's life." Linda smiles.

"Wow, thank you. I'll stick around as long as he let's me." Wille laughed a little.
Simon blushed and squeezes Wille's hand. His mama loved him. This really was serious. Linda leaned over the table and squeezed Wille's free hand. A silent goodnight before she stood up and walked to her room.

Sara stared at Wille a bit and Wille smiled. She slowly grew a smile and nodded, looking at Simon before standing.

"You guys have to do the dishes." She giggled and ran to her room.

Simon tried to argue but she was gone before he could even open his mouth. Wille just laughed and kissed Simon's cheek. Simon smiled and looked at Wille, lifting his hand up to guide his face to his. Simon pays him his kisses before pulling away and beginning to clean up.

Wille of course helps and follows Simon to the kitchen. He watched as Simon washed the dishes then dried them himself. He hummed softly at the quietness of dishes being washed. He looked out the window and saw the heavy snow fall.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Once the dishes were washed and dried, Simon looked at Wille, who was still watching the snow. He slotted himself in front of Wille and Wille's arms naturally wrapped around him. Simon rubbed Wille's hands and leaned into him.

"It's pretty," Simon whispered.

"Like-"

"Don't say it."

"I wasn't going to."

"Sure you weren't."

"Fine."

The boys laugh and Simon turns his head to look at Wille. Wille looked back and smiled, he was intoxicating. Simon reached up and rubbed at the nape of his neck. There were those butterflies. Simon leaned up and nudged Wille's cheek with his nose.

"You did really well," Simon whispered, "With Mama and Sara."

"They made it easy. They're nice." Wille whispered back.

Simon smiled and nodded, "Yea, yea they are."

Wille smiled and tried to kiss Simon but Simon pulled away just enough. He was teasing him, he knew he wouldn't want to stop if they started kissing. Wille leaned again and Simon giggled, turning out of Wille's arms and tugging him to his room.

Simon shut the door behind them and leaned against it. Wille hadn't stepped much further into the room. Simon turned him around and kissed him. Wille's fingers found Simon's hair this time as they both mindlessly grabbed at each other's bodies.

Simon inhaled through his nose as they separated for just long enough for Wille to pull him further into the room. Wille wrapped his arms around Simon's waist and Simon around his neck as they kissed. It wasn't quick or messy, they were deep and methodical (with a touch of desperation) as they kissed.

Wille backed toward Simon's bed and dropped down when he felt his legs hit the bed frame. Simon naturally sank into his lap and buried his fingers into Wille's hair. Wille's hands slid up Simon's back, into his shirt where he shallowly dragged his nails down from his shoulder blades.

Simon sucked in a breath when he felt Wille lift off his shirt. Wille's lips lost Simon's and instead found places all over his chest and stomach. Simon lifted his hips up and sighed out as Wille's breath tickled his stomach as he kissed it.

Simon's head dipped down as he held Wille's shoulders. He reached down and took off Wille's shirt in one go, tossing it aside and pulling the boy's face up to kiss him once again. Simon pushed Wille down and kissed his neck and his hands pressed along his naked torso.

It was Wille's turn to be breathless. He panted softly as Simon pressed kisses to his chest and stomach. Wille propped himself up on his forearms and watched Simon kiss him. He licked his lips just as Simon moved back up to kiss him.

This was serious.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Wille had fallen asleep. The sheets of Simon's bed strewn onto his back. His shoulder muscles were flexed as his arms were tucked under the pillow where his laid. Simon was tracing the shapes with his finger.

The blankets rested only up to Simon's hips as he was still warm from what they had just done. He was smiling, wider than he had expected as Wille's back rose and fell as he slept.

It was late but the long nap Simon had taken kept him awake. Or maybe it was had just happened with Wille, the immense elation coursing through him that kept him up. He didn't want the night to end, but he knew tomorrow would be just as amazing.

Simon leaned over to Wille and peppered his shoulder with kisses. He missed his smile and laugh, and the way his eyes looked when he looked at him. Simon Eriksson missed a boy that was right in front of him.

Wille stirred and his arm immediately found Simon's waist and pulled him closer. Simon laughed softly and his lips found Wille's, his hands on his cheeks. God is this what it's like? Simon pressed more and more kisses to Wille's tired face.

"Hmm you're obsessed," Wille teased.

Simon laughed, "And if I am?"

"Then you'd finally be at my level." Wille mumbled and nuzzled his face in Simon's chest and planted some tired kisses.

"Shut up." Simon laughed and kissed his forehead before burying his nose in Wille's hair. "You need a shower."

"So do you," Wille looked up at Simon, and Simon down, "We did some strenuous exercise just now."

"An hour ago and if you call it that again, we'll never do it again." Simon laughed.

"Hmm as if you could stay away."

"Shut up."

"Hmm no."

Wille shut his eyes and nuzzled into Simon's chest again. Simon shook his head and pushed Wille's hair out of his face.

"Mm-mm, no going back to sleep. You have to shower."

"Am I stinky?"

"Yes very."

"Ugh, fine. Just say you don't like my natural musk."

"I don't, I like your shampoo."

"Well I hope you like yours too."

"I do, that's why it's mine."

"Fair point."

Simon stood up and pulled on his underwear before walking over to his drawers of clothes. He opened each one, pulling out two sets of underwear, two shirts and two pajama pants.

Wille propped himself up and watched Simon, playfully biting his lip when Simon walked back to him. Wille reached for Simon's waistband but Simon pulled away.

"Stop," Simon laughed and nodded toward the bathroom. "Let's go."

"Together?" Wille asked.

"Mm, you've already seen me." Simon shrugged.

"Hmm." Wille stood up and Simon shut his eyes.

"Baby, you've already seen me," Wille laughed and pulled Simon toward him.

"It's different." Simon smiles and looked at Wille.

"How?"

"Don't ask me difficult questions when your dick's out"

"I thought you liked it."

"Wilhelm."

"Fine."

Simon laughed and Wille stole a kiss before Simon lead him to the bathroom and subsequently, into the shower.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Simon stood under the hot water and sighed happily, while Wille watched. Simon stepped out of the water and began washing his hair. He motioned for Wille to get his hair wet. Wille silently listened and hummed at the warmth too.

Simon's hands reached for Wille's to steady himself with his eyes shut but found his stomach instead, but they stayed there. Wille smiles and turned them so Simon could rinse out his hair. Wille washed his own hair as Simon washed his body carefully. Wille seemed to be all focused on Simon while Simon's eyes avoided Wille's.

"Something wrong?" Wille asked sweetly.

Simon shook his head but still didn't look at him. Wille gently pulled Simon's chin toward him. Simon locked eyes and they were pooling gold. Wille smiled and Simon smiled back.

"I cant look at you for too long." Simon whispered.

"Why not?" Wille asked gently.

"I like you too much."

"What?"

"I like you too much, and I get nervous if I look at you too long."

"Oh," Wille smiles widely.

Simon just looked at Wille for a moment and took a breath.

"We won't hurt each other, right?" Simon asked, worry filling his chest.

"We won't." Wille whispered.

Simon nodded and Wille hugged him. Simon hugged back and shut his eyes, the only sound being the pattering of water hitting Wille's back and the shower wall.

Simon's chest lightened as Wille held him. Wille kisses his shoulder before they separated and continued on with their shower in a comforting silence. Simon looked at Wille, and Wille him as they moved together to get clean.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Wille was sat on the bed, fully dressed again, while Simon dried his hair with his towel. Wille was holding his hips and kissing his clothed stomach as he did so. Simon would flinch at each kiss and laugh.

"You're such an idiot," Simon dropped the towel onto the bed next to Wille as Wille pulled him between his legs.

"Hmm" Wille shrugged and hugged Simon closely by his torso.

Simon hummed and adjusted Wille's wet locks on his forehead then leaned down to kiss him. Wille kissed back then nuzzled his face into Simon's stomach which caused him to shriek and laugh loudly. Simon pushed himself away by Wille's shoulder and went to hang up their towels.

"I really like you Simme." Wille leaned back on his hands and looked at Simon.

"Mm, and I like you Wille." Simon smiles.

"Not really like?" Wille asks and quirks a brow.

"Of course really like, i'm just not cheesy."

"mhm, mhm sure."

"Should we sleep?"

"Not yet."

Wille sat up straight and motioned for Simon to come back. Simon listens and sat down next to Wille. Wille kisses his cheek and and holds his head.

"What should we do then?"

"Kiss."

"Kiss?" Simon laughed, "We've been doing that all day."

"Hmm still not enough."

"Haven't gotten your fill?"

"Mm-mm,"

"Will you ever?"

"Highly doubt it."

Simon rolled his eyes and laughed, moving to lay down in bed, pulling the blankets over his shoulder and yawning. Wille joined him under the covers and pulled Simon to him.

Wille smiled a little and reached past Simon to turn off his light. As he laid in bed, he suddenly felt tired. He yawned and gave Simon one last kiss before they slept in each other's arms, their foreheads together, only a breath apart.

Chapter 13: Reality

Summary:

"He thought of what had happened the past few days, all that had occurred finally processing in his mind. He’d hoped that Simon, with some time apart, was as elated as he was about how things had panned out between them. He was anxious, antsy even, to see Simon again. Simon made him nervous in the best way possible. Wille liked the feeling of wondering how Simon was doing. If he had eaten, and what he had decided to wear. He even thought of if his curls had given him trouble in the morning."

Notes:

Hi! It's been a bit since I wasn't in the right head space to write the past week or so but hey! I'm back and I am giving you this short little chapter before...some tough stuff happens next chapter. That chapter is being uploaded tonight as well so worry not! I will also be writing and uploading chapter 15 (hopefully) this weekend so you won't have to wait too long!

Thanks for being patient and for reading! <3

Chapter Text

Simon woke up to a gentle kiss pressed to his forehead. He could feel that the rest of his narrow bed was empty. He opened his eyes and smiled shyly when he saw Wille leaning over him.

"I didn't mean to wake you, I have to go to work," Wille whispered and moved Simon's curls away from his forehead.

"No, no, I'm glad you did." Simon sat up and leaned into Wille's touch.

Wille smiled and Simon shut his eyes, the blonde's hand resting on Simon's cheek and rubbing it with his thumb. Simon sighed, it was bittersweet, waking up to having to say goodbye to Wille.

Wille leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to Simon's lips. It only made Simon pout. Wille laughed a little and held Simon's face, kissing him again and again. He made unnecessary noises as he kissed Simon's face causing the just-woken-up boy to laugh softly.

"I'll miss you," Wille admitted.

"Mm, me too," Simon whispered back.

"Good, so don't throw out my toothbrush just yet." Wille teased.

"I won't, it'll be there next time you need it." Simon smiles and leans up again, "I'll walk you out."

Wille nodded and reached over to the end of the bed, he had folded and set down the sweater he had been wearing before the snowstorm, the one he was wearing when he and Simon kissed for the first time. It matched the sky again.

Simon looked at Wille as he unfolded it and motioned for Simon to put on the sweater. Simon glanced outside of the blinds and took notice that the grey matched the sky almost perfectly. He put it on over his t-shirt before slipping on socks.

Wille smiles and adjusted the sweater a bit before giving a nod of approval. It was too early for the two boys to run into either Linda or Sara so they walked together quietly to the front door. Wille slipped on his shoes and then straightened.

Simon's eyes were on him, and Wille searched them. He offered a smile and Simon returned it, opening his arms to Wille. Wille happily pulled Simon into a tight hug and pressed a long kiss to Simon's forehead.

"Are you working today?" Wille asked, he had pulled away and was putting in his coat.

Simon nodded, his hands holding onto the edge of the sweater that he was wearing. Wille nodded, already deciding to visit Simon with a concha and a cup of coffee as soon as Flora would let him.

Simon wrings his fingers as he watched Wille dress for the cold weather. Wille smiles and puts on his scarf, just draping it over his shoulders. Simon shook his head and fixed it to cover his face then kissed him through the soft material.

"I really like you, Simon," Wille whispered.

"I really like you too Wille," Simon whispered back.

Simon chewed on his bottom lip as Wille's gaze seemed to warm his entire body. He felt his ears burning and his cheeks turning pink as if he'd just been standing in the winter storm.

Simon reached up and adjusted some of Wille's hair before sighing, satisfied that he knew Wille would be warm enough but upset he had to go now.

"Stay safe and warm okay?" Simon warned and fidgeted with Wille's coat a bit.

"Okay," Wille laughed a little, "I like feeling like a husband being seen off to work."

"Shut up," Simon rolled his eyes, huffing when Wille just grinned, "I'm not the wife."

"Nope, you're the other husband," Wille quirked a brow.

"Isn't it a bit soon to be talking about being husbands?" Simon laughed a little.

"Hmm never too soon when I know you're all I want," Wille stated as if it hadn't been just two days since their first kiss.

Simon's stomach churned yet again, a feeling of nerves and excitement. He did his best to hide it and just rolled his eyes with a smile. But it seemed that Wille was great at reading him as he had a smug smile on his face.

"Just go," Simon gently pushed Wille closer to the door and then opened it.

"I'm going, I'm going." Wille laughed and leaned toward Simon to steal another kiss.

Simon shook his head, pecking his lips once more before Wille stepped out of the house and turned on his heels. He walked straight by toward the bus stop. Simon watched him until he could see him anymore.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Simon decided to stay up. His mind was finally clear now that Wille was away. Not that he wanted him to be gone. But he did like remembering that his brain functions when it wasn't thinking of Wille.

He made himself breakfast to kill the time between when Wille left and when he was due to open the bookstore. By then, Wille would've been at the bakery for a couple of hours and probably an hour or two past the morning rush.

Simon went to his room and pulled his keyboard to his lap. He lowered the volume and mindlessly played some notes and hummed a random melody. He wasn't sure what he was playing or if it was even original but it helped clear his mind.

When 9 am rolled around, Simon traded his sleep shorts for some jeans. He hadn't taken off Wille's sweater and didn't plan on it, at least for today. He left his room with his bag full of things and was greeted by his mama.

She hugged him and he breathed in the familiar smell of coffee and her floral perfume that seemed to stick to her regardless of either's presence. Simon of course hugged back and kisses her cheek.

"Going to work?" She asked, she was dressed for work, and all that was missing was her lipstick as she sipped her coffee.

"Have to." Simon shrugged.

"Well make sure you stay warm then. And maybe take a taxi instead so you don't have to walk or wait in the cold."

"Esta bien mama, I'll be fine walking. Getting a taxi down our road is already a fuss, even without the snow."

"I'll give you the money for it."

"It's a waste of money mama, I won't die from a little snow."

"Por favor Simme," Linda set down her coffee, "Just for my peace of mind."

"Fine." Simon sighed then smiled at Linda's look of relief.

Simon took out his phone and called for the taxi then sat at the table. They were five minutes away, which meant ten for the inexperienced driver on their road. So he settled, leaning back as he checked the schedule for that day.

He'd be alone today. He smiled, no Lukas meant no watching straight people make out or running the risk of seeing a girl's ass when she leaned on the counter. He shook the thought from his mind and checked the map of the taxi, stifling a laugh as they seemed to have stopped driving.

Simon pulled on his shoes and coat before kissing his mama goodbye and rushing out down their narrow street. He found the car, seemingly about to abandon the ride as it was turned around. He knocked on the door and smiled.

"For Simon?"

"Yes"

Simon got into the taxi.

"Almost gave up there!" The man laughed.

"Yea I could see that," Simon forced a small smile and just looked out the window.

His Mama has been right, it was colder than it has seemed. Instead of internally complaining about the numbness of his fingers, he thought of Wille and hoped he'd made it to the bakery intact and was able to warm up.

The taxi was efficient and dropped Simon off right in front of the Raven. Simon had hoped he'd be too lazy to turn around so he'd have to get out in front of the bakery but the driver seemed to have gotten another ride from the same direction as they had come from.

Simon thanked the man before getting out and finding his keys. He opened up the bookstore and turned on the lights. He sucked in a breath, the store was as cold as it was outside. He shivered and shut the door and locked it. He shuffled to the back and saw that the heat had been turned off.

He rolled his eyes and checked the bathroom sink, the plumbing was completely frozen. Simon shook his head and made a quick sign to stick onto the bathroom door. 'Out of Order: Pipes Frozen', more of a reminder for himself that to the handful of people who came in, very rarely were they around enough to need the bathroom.

Simon settled into the stool behind the counter and watched the two small figures move within the bakery across the street. He smiled even though he couldn't really see the two, but knowing they were there was good enough for him.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Wille had made it to the bus stop and to the bakery on time. He could still feel all of his toes and fingers so he labeled his commute as a win. He greeted Flora, who seemed to only wake up now.

"Hi, Wilhelm." She hummed, sipping the coffee she has just brewed.

"Sleep okay?" Wille asked, pouring himself just a bit of coffee to get himself started.

"Mm, yes, my oldest. He just called me late last night, he and his fiancé just wanted to chat for a bit so I'm tired." Flora sighed.

Wille put on his apron and nodded, "Well I can run this place with my eyes closed alone so if you need to sleep some more, I'm more than happy."

"Are you sure?" Flora asked, clutching her mug, hope in her tired eyes.

"Yea of course," Wille smiles, "go and rest."

"Thank you mi amor, everything is prepped already so you just have to stick it into the oven."

"Yes I know Miss Flora, I have worked here for quite a bit"

Flora rolled her eyes and laughed a little. She took off her apron and went upstairs to rest. Wille then put on the radio and tuned it to the only station on that early in the morning.

He hummed along to the melody, not knowing where he knew the song from but just shuffled into the kitchen. He searched for the morning rolls and stuck them into the oven. He added in the various cookies and some loaves of bread.

Once they were baking and a timer was set, he settled into the stool behind the counter. He chewed on his lip as he rested his cheek on his palm. He took a deep breath and allowed his mind to wander. It was too early for anyone to show up.

His ears warmed when his eyes wandered to the bookstore across the street. His mind was set on Simon. He turned toward the storefront windows and eyes the gazebo where he and Simon shared their first kiss under. He smiled at the reminder and felt lucky that he was able to see it from where he sat nearly every day.

He thought of what had happened the past few days, all that had occurred finally processing in his mind. He’d hoped that Simon, with some time apart, was as elated as he was about how things had panned out between them. He was anxious, antsy even, to see Simon again. Simon made him nervous in the best way possible. Wille liked the feeling of wondering how Simon was doing. If he had eaten, and what he had decided to wear. He even thought of if his curls had given him trouble in the morning.

He shook the thought of Simon asleep in bed, he couldn’t contain his smile. He chewed on his lip to hide his grin from the empty bakery and rubbed his cheeks to try and rid them of the warmth the thought had created. He rubbed his eyes and yawned as he thought of Simon’s tanned skin and how the morning sunlight seemed to bounce off of it and make the winter air only warmer. He shuffled to make some coffee and checked the refrigerator to make sure that the bakery had enough milk.

Wille sat on the stool as the quiet piano played from the radio as he waited for his coffee to be finished. Once it had been brewed, he poured himself a mug and added just a bit of milk and some sugar. He sipped and sat back down. He looked around and checked the bakery, scanned the seats, his eyes wandering over the just barely blooming flowers that sat on the window that was above the small tables.

The familiar scent of bread began to fill the bakery and suddenly Wille felt warmer. He sipped his coffee and took a deep breath in. The sun was slowly rising and filling the bakery until it was perfectly lit. Wille checked on the bread, it still had time left. He was left just sitting in the bakery, thinking of Simon. He wondered if the bookstore was open and if Simon would be the one to be sitting behind the counter.

Flora came downstairs. Her curls were tight again and her eyes much more alert. She tapped on the back to let him know she was there and he nodded. Wille looked out the bakery windows again and saw the Raven had woken up. The lights were dim, as they always were. He smiled when he could just barely see a head of curls sitting at the counter.

Maybe he should get a book.

Chapter 14: Panic

Summary:

"The two just stared at each other. Wille had a faint smile on his face that just barely reached his eyes. Simon was just trying to catch his breath but Wille seemed to steal it just as Simon had caught it. Wille’s big brown eyes, Simon knew that they'd make him win any argument they'd get into.

Would they get into arguments? Would they fight about jealousy? Of substance abuse? About using rent money to pay for drugs? For the late nights spent abandoned even though they were meant to be asleep? Simon began to shake and he pulled away from Wille. He didn't want that, not even a little."

Notes:

Content Warning!!:

Panic Attack suggestion, crying, and overall just some teenage angst

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The bell that hung above the door rang, following the doorknob turning and the door creaking.

“Hello, welcome in,” Simon was trying to finish the page he was on.

“Hi,” Wille smiled at the sight of Simon fully enthralled by the book in front of him.

Simon looked up at the familiar voice and shut his book. He had forgotten to put his bookmark in his place. He stood up and moved around the counter to get to Wille. Wille waved shyly and Simon laughed, his heart skipping a beat at Wille’s awkward grin. Those perfectly crooked teeth would be the death of him.

“Hi,” Simon reached forward and began to play with Wille’s scarf.

“You’re wearing my sweater,” Wille whispered.

Simon nodded and leaned up to press a kiss to Wille’s lips. Wille exhaled a breath he didn’t know he was holding through his nose and kissed Simon back. He attempted to pull away but Simon tugged at his scarf, asking for another kiss. Wille was more than happy to give another kiss before pulling away.

“Thanks for visiting.” Simon hummed and wrapped his arms around Wille’s torso.

“My pleasure,” Wille held Simon’s arms in place and kissed his head before his eyes scanned the bookstore.

“Are you looking for a book?” Simon followed Wille’s eyes.

Wille shyly nodded, in complete confusion at the scene in front of him. Simon laughed and kissed his cheek before pulling him toward the young adult section. He scanned the shelves with Wille and tilted his head, glancing at the blonde boy he had his hand interlocked with. Wille’s expression was soft and curious as he rocked from his toes to his heels while he searched for a book spine that attracted him. Simon reached up and took up the first book of three, a book of magic and multiple dimensions. A thrilling story he had fallen in love with when he had just started working at the bookstore.

“Here,” Simon held it out to Wille.

Wille took the book and looked at the cover, turning it over slowly to read what the book was about. He sighed happily and shook his head. Simon frowned and raised his brows, a little smile growing on his lips. Wille laughs a little and kissed Simon softly. Simon looked at him confused when Wille pulled away.

“How do you know me so well?” Wille quirks his brow.

“Hm, well I work in a bookstore so, I can figure you out.”

Wille laughed softly and looked at the shelf.

“Is this the first one? Should I grab the others or do you think I won’t like them?”

“Oh, you’ll like them. You’ll just have to come and get the rest of them.”

Wille laughs softly as Simon wraps his arms around his neck. The two put their foreheads together and Wille takes in a breath. Simon kisses his nose then pulls Wille closer into a tight hug. He missed Wille, it had only been a couple of hours since he’d seen him after nearly three days together and yet he missed him. He chewed on his bottom lip and when they pulled away, Wille’s smile faded and Simon laughed through his tears.

“Baby…” Wille whispered but Simon just shook his head quickly.

“Don’t, it’s okay. I’m okay.” Simon whispered and sniffled.

Wille looked at Simon and reached up to hold his face, Simon leaned into his touch. Wille opened his mouth but Simon shook his head. He couldn’t risk Wille asking him why he was crying, and he didn’t want to risk having to tell him. He shook and buried his face in Wille’s chest. Wille shakily pats Simon’s head and holds him close as Simon tries to compose himself. He wiped his face and kisses Wille’s nose.

“I really like you, Simon,” Wille whispered to Simon.

“Yeah?” Simon asks and laughs, embarrassed.

Wille laughs softly and nods, “Yeah, yes, for sure,”

“Good ‘cause, I really like you too, Wille,” Simon whispered.

Wille nodded and kissed Simon again and again. Simon kissed back and leaned into Wille, just enjoying the boy in front of him. He just had to let himself enjoy Wille so he didn't lose him. He hugged Wille again and nuzzled his face in chest again.

Wille held onto Simon and just wondered what was making him cry. He was confused but he knew he'd never be mad at Simon. He had clearly gone through something and didn't want to share but he just wished that Simon would let him in just a little bit.

“It's hard, Wille,” Simon looked up at Wille, “I just don't have- I don't think I can tell you why right now. I don't have the right words for it.”

Wille nodded and wrapped up Simon in his arms, kissing his head. Wille didn't need an explanation, he didn't need to understand. At least not right now. Right now, he just needed to hold onto the boy that seemed to be crumbling in his hold.

“Don't worry, you don't have to tell me now, or ever, if it's too hard.” Wille whispered and wiped Simon’s tears.

Simon’s eyes filled with tears yet again and his lips turned into a pout as he looked up at Simon. How the hell did this kid know what to say? What loving family did he come from to make him so good? How can someone be like this? Simon’s head was spinning.

The two just stared at each other. Wille had a faint smile on his face that just barely reached his eyes. Simon was just trying to catch his breath but Wille seemed to steal it just as Simon had caught it. Wille’s big brown eyes, Simon knew that they'd make him win any argument they'd get into.

Would they get into arguments? Would they fight about jealousy? Of substance abuse? About using rent money to pay for drugs? For the late nights spent abandoned even though they were meant to be asleep? Simon began to shake and he pulled away from Wille. He didn't want that, not even a little.

“I don't- I’m in my head too much. Uhm, i'll check you out, then why don't we pay Flora a visit?” Simon said, looking down at his shoes.

“Oh, yeah, sure.” Wille cleared his throat and followed Simon to the counter.

Simon took the book and moved around the counter. It was safe. Safe from the hold of Wille which seems to contain a power that made Simon cry. Wille chewed on his lip and rocked on his heels as he watched Simon ringed him up.

“You can talk to me, ya know. Like really talk to me, not just about wanting to kiss or video games. But, like, about serious stuff, like what makes you Simon.” Wille offered.

Simon’s eyes were glued to the counter as he slid the book he had chosen for Wille into a bag. He cleared his throat and told Wille what he owed without looking at him. He bit the inside of his cheek when Wille held out the exact change and their hands touched a bit at the exchange, electricity rang through Simon’s hand. Fuck.

Wille looked at Simon and took his hand gently, carefully interlocking their fingers and started leading Simon around the counter. Simon looked at him as he followed Wille’s pull and moved around it. Wille pulled their hands to rest on his back so that Simon couldn't be more than an inch away from him. That forced his eyes up to Wille’s.

“Did you hear what I said Simon?” Wille suddenly had a serious tone.

He really was serious about Simon. Simon could see it in his eyes, the way his brows furrowed and how Wille was searching his face. Simon felt a panic in his stomach and suddenly he wanted to pull away. He sucked in a breath and nodded at Wille’s question.

“I did, yes, I did.” Simon’s eyes were pooling with panic.

Wille released Simon’s hand and took a step backward. Simon held out his hands and Wille looked down at them, taking another step back.

“No,” Simon whimpered.

“Simon, I don't want to make you panic.” Wille admitted. “You looked almost scared of me.”

“I'm not, I'm not, I just-. My dad sucks and my parents fought- a lot! Before my disgusting excuse of a father finally called it quits and I just-. I don't want any of that to happen, with us.” Simon frowned.

“He would take me and Sara along to get uhm, drugs or booze, whatever he thought he needed that night. Mama used to works nights so he had no other choice. We were too little to be left alone. When we finally came home, he'd be passed out and Mama would wake him up and they'd argue until it was- until the sun was rising.” He continued.

Wille listened, tears forming as Simon held himself. He admitted what his childhood was like as if he had been the one to abandon his kids. As if he'd be the abuser of drugs, or his horrible father. Wille swayed slightly as Simon crumbled even further and folded into himself.

“I can't- I know you aren’t- but what if I am? What if I am Wille? What then? What if I become- become like him and ruin everything good in my life including you?!” Simon’s voice was hoarse as his sobbed into the sleeves of Wille’s sweater.

“Simon, you'll never become like him? And you won't ruin things.” Wille says gently and saw that someone was walking up to the door of the bookstore.

He motioned that they weren't opened then rushed over to lock the door and turn the sign around. He apologized through the door and returned to Simon. Simon was crouched down on the floor and turning his sleeves into a dark gray. He cried and cried. Wille had no choice but to sit on the floor with him, holding his hands out just in view of Simon.

“You will never be like him. What you father did was a horrible thing, and you lived with the consequences of his actions when he didn't. Because of that, you'd never, ever, become like him. You-” Wille swallowed a sob, “You are too good. You couldn't be that awful even if you tried.”

“You don't know that Wille, you barely know me.” Simon sniffles.

There was that self-destruction. Something Simon always did. He had just admitted one of his most painful memories, something that was seared into his memories no matter how hard he wanted to scrub it away, and he was pushing Wille away. He was so close to knowing him, truly knowing him and Simon couldn't do it.

“I think I know more about you than you want me to.” Wille whispered.

Simon sucked in a shaky breath and he pushed his back into the front of the counter, looking up at Wille. The anxiety and fear in Simon’s eyes told Wille that what he had just said was true. He rubbed his sweaty palms on his pant legs before holding them out again.

“It's okay, I understand. I can give you space if that'd be better for you.” Wille offered, “But that doesn't mean I’m going away, you can't get rid of me that easily.”

Simon hugged his legs and shook his head. He didn't want Wille to give him space, he didn't want to spend a minute away from Wille. What he wanted was to be without these stupid feelings, these stupid memories that ruin every good thing in his life.

Why did it have to be his papa? Why did his Mama have to be the one to struggle? Why? Why? Why? Why did Wille have to become so infatuated with him? Why did he fall for Wille? Why did Wille come into his life and force him to want to get over all of these feelings? Why was he curled on the floor sobbing and why was Wille still here? Why does he care? He shouldn't care.

“I wanna go home- no. I don't want to,” Simon sniffles and rubs his eyes. “I just wanna leave. I can't be here.”

Wille nodded, “Uh can I help?”

“Uhm, uh, Lukas should get here soon. I'll text my boss.” Simon swallowed and tried to collect his thoughts.

He took out his phone and tried to text his boss but his hands were shaking too much. He shook his head and held out his phone to Wille. Wille nodded and texted the basics of what was necessary go Simon’s boss then handed his phone back. Wille then texted Flora. She offered her place and Wille said he'd ask.

“Want to go to Flora’s?” Wille asked.

“N-no, I don't want her to see me like this?” Simon mumbled, burying his face in his knees.

“What about m-mine?” Wille shyly offered.

“Okay.” Simon whispered.

Wille nodded and stood up, tucking away his phone then helped Simon stand. Simon leaned on the counter and Wille helped put on his jacket and hat. He scanned Simon’s tired eyes and pink nose and just wanted to wrap him into a tight hug. He resisted and just picked up Simon’s things.

“Let's go baby,” Wille whispered.

He moved to wrap an arm around Simon but paused. A silent ask of permission. Simon nodded and leaned into Wille. Wille nodded and wrapped his arm secured around Simon and led him outside. The cold air hit Simon’s warmed cheeks and caused his nose to run even more. Wille reached up and used his own sleeve to wipe Simon’s nose for him.

Simon shivered and Wille stopped him. Wille zipped up Simon's jacket then took off his own scarf and wrapped it around Simon’s neck, covering his nose and ears with it then led him toward the bus stop yet again. Simon sniffles and tried his best not to get any snot on the scarf but failed quickly.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Wille led Simon into his family’s apartment. Simon was still shaking when Wille sat him down on the bench at the front entrance. Wille took off his coat then Simon’s jacket, hat and the borrowed scarf. Wille kissed Simon’s forehead before kneeling and taking off his shoes for him. He stepped out of his own before leading Simon into the apartment.

“Uhm, my parents aren't home, Papa’s on a business trip which means Mama’s probably going to spend the night at work.” Wille mumbled and lead Simon into the bathroom.

“I was thinking you could shower, to clear up your nose and to warm you up.” Wille offered and set down a towel onto the covered toilet.

Simon hugged himself and nodded. Wille rushed to turn on the shower then went to his room quickly to bring Simon fresh clothes and thick socks. Simon took them and set them down on the counter before pausing to look at Wille.

Wille chewed on the inside of his cheek before he moved forward slowly, Simon didn't pull away. Wille rested his hands on Simon’s cheeks and kissed him, short but sweet. He kissed him once more and Simon’s eyes were shut when he pulled away. Simon was a difficult boy to read, but Wille was willing to learn to decipher him.

Simon turned toward the shower once Wille pulled away. Wille nodded and left the bathroom, allowing Simon to undress and stand underneath the hot water. Simon sighed out and let out a soft sob as he felt pathetic. He felt like a shell of a human being as he stood in Wille's shower.

He should be sharing the water with Wille and kissing him as they had done just days before. They should be flirting and laughing but he was alone, in an unfamiliar shower with just himself. He shook his head and refused to cry any more. He washed his hair and his body, then blew his nose.

Simon rubbed his eyes and got out quickly after washing up. He got dressed quickly and walked out of the bathroom as he dried his hair. He could smell eggs being cooked and wandered into what must've been the kitchen. Wille was stood at the stove with a pink apron on and was watching the frying eggs that covered the entire pan.

“Wille,” Simon whispered.

“Oh,” Wille jumped a little, “Hi, did the shower help?”

“Mhm,” Simon nodded and hugged himself as he leaned against the door frame.

“Good, uhm, I don't know if you ate but my brother's omelette always makes me feel better so I figured it'd help at least a little.” Wille chuckled softly.

“Thanks, I, uh, haven't eaten.” Simon admitted.

“Then it's a good thing I’m here to help.” Wille smiled at Simon.

Simon smiled and nodded. Wille plated the simply seasoned omelette that had been scrambled with cheese. Wille has set out just one placement at the small kitchen island and set down the plate. Simon sat down and looked at Wille.

“Oh, uh, water? Milk? Juice?” Wille went to his fridge, “Scratch the milk actually, we haven't gone grocery shopping lately.”

Simon couldn't help but laugh softly. Hearing him laugh made the knot in Wille’s stomach to unravel just a bit. Wille decided just to give Simon both, figuring he'd need both anyway. He set down the two glasses and Simon had already taken a bite of the omelet.

“It's good.” Simon chewed, seeing Wille’s curious eyes.

“Good, great. Erik will to make it next time so you can have the real deal because I'm an average baker and a less than average cook.” Wille smiled.

Simon smiled a little and continued to eat, slowly sipping his drinks, switching between the water and juice evenly so they were always at the same amount in each glass. He could feel Wille staring, but Simon just focused on eating.

Wille settled into the stool on the other side of the counter and was trying not to carefully watch Simon eat. He couldn't help it, he liked watching Simon eat. It was cute, like everything he did. Even his crying was beautiful and poetic. Simon was just perfection to Wille.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Simon finished his food with a hard swallow, then finished off both the water and juice before he looked at Wille again.

“Do your parents work a lot?” He asked Wille.

Wille's brows lifted and he nodded, “Uh, yes. They've worked a lot since the moment I popped out of the womb. My mom was back to work the day after we arrived home.”

“I see.” Simon whispered.

“Papa, he's gone most of the time, travels a lot for work.” Wille cleared his throat. “When he is home, he usually just scolds me for everything and then disappears to his office”

“Mm,” Simon hummed along.

“And Mama, she pretends to care. It was enough for a kid but uh not so much anymore. It’d be nice to have a mom as loving as yours.” Wille shrugged.

“Mama is pretty great isn’t she?” Simon mumbled.

Simon chewed on his lip, thinking about how he didn't know if he'd trade places with Wille. An absent father away and in the home and a mother who seems to choose her career over her family. Though it could be said that Wille’s father was doing the same thing. Simon would prefer his one loving parents over barely there ones.

“From what I've seen of her. And her, uh, work in raising you and Sara, has paid off. She's raised at least one good kid. I dunno you too well.” Wille teased.

“Oh my god,” Simon stifled a laugh and rolled his eyes.

Wille laughed softly and stood. He picked up Simon's dishes and packed them into the dishwasher before turning back toward Simon. Simon was hugging himself and rubbing his bare arms slowly as he just looked back at Wille.

“Are you cold? Why don't we go to my room so you can choose a sweater to wear.” Wille offered.

Simon accepted. The two walked into Wille’s room. It was quaint. Minimal wall decorations, a small tv that sat on his desk next to his console and the most neutral furniture, Simon couldn't judge his character from his room which only bothered him a little.

Wille opened up his wardrobe and a singular drawer within it to reveal hangers on sweatshirts and folded sweaters. Simon scanned all of them and chose out a sweatshirt that was a dark navy blue and pulled it over his head. He then rubbed his eyes and yawned.

Wille smiled and pulled the hood off of Simon’s head and held onto the hood strings, playing with them a bit. Simon looked up at him and there was no longer panic or fear in his eyes, he just looked tired. Wille understood and lead him to lay down on the bed. He adjusted the blankets to rest perfectly on Simon.

Simon took a deep breath, he was surrounded by the warm smell of Wille. He could drown in it and he'd be thankful for it. Wille smiled and watched Simon as he hugged and nuzzled his face into Wille’s pillow. He settled on his stomach before he patted the space next to him, inviting Wille to join him in the bed.

Wille hesitated a bit but with Simon’s big, sparkling eyes, he didn't hesitate for long. He pulled off his jeans and crawled into bed with Simon. Simon laughed a little and put a pillow between then when Wille joined in just his underwear and a t-shirt.

“Why don't you try to sleep baby?” Wille asked, holding his hand out over the pillow.

Simon nodded and took his hand, hugging it close to his chest which forced Wille closer to him. Wille kissed Simon’s forehead and Simon shut his eyes, pressing his nose against Wille’s fingers and pressed a kiss to his knuckles. Wille let out a breath and nodded, letting the curly-headed boy drift to sleep.

Hopefully, sleeping will relieve the pressure in his eyes and nose, and erase all the emotions he and felt so wary in the morning. Wille hoped that Simon would be happy to be there, with Wille there with him. Wille could only hope as Simon held his hand and slept his lips pressed to his fingers. Only hope that Simon would choose to stay with him.

Notes:

HI! Hope you enjoyed these two chapters in one night, to make up for the week away! I promise that I will write this next chapter very soon! I hate my baby Simon being upset so I try not to let myself dwell on his angst for longer than a chapter at a time! Also yay, some of Wille letting Simon in and dialing Simon into what his home life is like too.

Chapter 15: Stay

Summary:

"The two hadn't said I love you. Not explicitly. But they had learned what it meant when it was looking in each other's eyes. Simon was too afraid to tell Wille, scared that it'd scare him off. Wille was too afraid for the same reason, so they settled in just telling each other in every other way. Small acts of service, affection, (safe) sex, going on dates, giving each other small gifts like coffee, breakfast or a book."

Notes:

Hi, another chapter! There's a bit of a time jump since I felt a little stuck with these two boys in Winter so welcome in Spring! Let's wish for them to have a fun and safe end of the school year to go into Summer!

p.s. I was thinking of making Simon have a Spring birthday and set Wille to have an early Winter birthday! So please let me know if that's fitting for them! Just share opinions!

Chapter Text

It was finally Spring. February and March seemed to speed by as they always did. April trickled in but was suddenly gone. It was now mid-May, the school year was beginning to wrap up, and the first years at the high school had finally got the memo that The Raven didn't carry any of the books that were required for the Spring semester.

But, with the more frequent visits to the Raven with no avail, the kids wouldn't let their trip be without reward, which brought them to the bakery. Flora’s was packed, as it always was when the days became warmer. The people would fade out to only the regulars once the students’ Summer break began. The older women would complain of the heat but also the cold air that the air con provided in the bakery.

Wille was more than happy to service all of the kids from school, even the ones that recognized him. It helped that Simon had stayed. He had stayed with Wille after that night. He had stayed the night again too. Many nights. His Mama didn't approve much at first but as the days became longer and warmer, she settled into acceptance. Simon was going to stay with Wille any night he could, and he was only a few blocks away.

Simon had learned a lot about Wille since staying at his apartment with him. He hadn't met his parents yet because they weren't around. His father would come home for a single night at a time and his mother was usually fast asleep before Wille and Simon returned from work. Wille has told them about Simon and him staying there but neither put in an effort to try and meet him.

That's why they spent a lot of time at the Eriksson’s too. Simon would cook dinner with Wille, which caused a lot of clumsily put together meals but hearing their laughter was enough for Linda to enjoy the clearly novice meal. Linda watched as the two boys grew to adore each other and smiled at the love slowly building between them. It was beautiful.

As Linda spent more time with Wille, she realized that he was a good boy. He did well in school, spoke of his parents well, and absolutely adored his brother. He never seemed to miss a chance to bring him up. The boy had a lot of love to give and Simon was lucky to be one of the recipients.

The two boys, after nearly five months of dating, had gotten into a rhythm that worked for them. When they both worked, they'd only visit each other at lunch, alternating who went where so neither Flora or Lukas could claim that they leave or have their boyfriend visit too often.

When one of them was working, they'd let them work but would drop in. Simon was guilty of sticking around longer. There was a place to sit and yummy pastries to eat at the bakery, watching Wille work and seeing Flora was an added bonus. The Raven was always so quiet and so Wille would sit at the counter along the front window and do his homework.

The two were around each other, but not always together. They had found their footing, found the sweet spot in where they could not interact but keep an eye on each other. Just allowing themselves to be distracted for a moment, with just a glance before returning to work. It helped them after work too, they could seem to get their hands or lips off each other once they were clocked out.

They were still teenage boys. Countless hours of kissing, flirting, other things, it was part of it all. What was different was how the nights started to end. Wille would lay on Simon’s chest and Simon would play with his hair. Wille would be breathing in whatever scent had clung to Simon’s clothes that day, Flora’s or the Raven.

They would simply lay there, Simon’s eyes on the ceiling and Wille’s eyes at the wall. They would lay there and think. They would process their days together, yet they were silent. The one to break the silence was the one that was first to share. Then they'd spend a few hours talking about their day. Wille would turn onto his back with his head on Simon’s tummy.

They would rant or rather Simon did, while Wille would talk about the regulars or the sweet little
kids that came in. He'd tell Simon about the way he built the stories of each person that went into the bakery and after each detail he learned of the person, he'd build his story around it. When Simon had first heard of his habit, it confused him, but really he just found it lovely.

“What was your story about me?” Simon had asked the second time Wille began to share his stories.

“Oh, well. My mind kind of shut off when I first saw you. I just saw you, and that's all I needed to know. I was okay with not knowing you, or not pretending to know you. I just wanted to actually know you.” Wille confessed.

“I didn't want to build a story for you, I wanted you to tell me yours.” He added.

That had been the night Simon admitted to himself that Wille was the boy he loved. No, not just loved, adored. Simon loved Wille, for everything that he was and all that he'd become. He would become a good man, a nurturing man, he was always so patient and kind to Simon. He was gentle, funny, creative and seemed to have an endless supply of love to give.

Simon may not be in love with the world but each day he spent with Wille, he was beginning to understand. Maybe Wille would teach him to love the sky, or the little stories of the small kids in the bakery. Wille had already taught him to be better, to rid himself of the fear of becoming his father.

The fear still lingered most days but Simon never thought of the impossible, that he'd become a bad person. Simon refused to be a bad person. Wille wouldn't let him. Wille, Sara, his Mama, those were the people that didn't allow him to believe he could ever be anything like the monster he had seen his father become.

It had been a struggle most days, getting Simon to believe that he could never be bad. But Wille had learned how to remind Simon. It was always up to him to believe it, no matter how much Wille talked and reassured, it was up to Simon to believe it within himself. And Wille was okay with that. Simon wasn't suddenly healed from all the things he had gone through, but he was better and working to get to a place that felt healed.

With Simon's growing transparency, Wille’s had to grow too. Wille would tell Simon of each day he'd go through as a kid. How his parents would rely solely on Erik to care for Wille. How Erik only knew how to cook an omelet when Wille was six and he was nine so he spent one night throwing up after having eaten only eggs for a week.

Erik had been the one to ask the school for free lunches for both himself and Wille. How Erik somehow figured out how to use the computer in their father’s office to look up recipes but most of the time they'd eat grilled cheese sandwiches or cheese and crackers for dinner. Wille would grin with tears in his eyes as he told the stories of when his stomach never seemed to stop grumbling.

Simon understood then why Wille adored his brother so much. Erik had kept him alive. Wille was only a child when his parents began to no longer care for him. Once he started school, his parents saw that as a chance to get away again. Simon didn't understand why they had had children. Wille explained that Erik was the result of the consummation of their marriage and he was from their three year anniversary.

The Ghosts, that's what Simon and Wille decided to call them. They knew it was cheesy but Simon saw that it made Wille laugh rather than really think of the implications so he went along with the inside joke.

Simon had only seen one ghost, Wille’s Mama, once. She had fallen asleep on the couch instead of going to her bed. Wille hadn't expected to see her when they came in after work. He just quietly motioned for Simon to go into his room then helped his mom float into her bed. Wille could smell the wine on her breath but didn't mention it to Simon.

Simon knew that expression, the pure turn of a child's stomach when they see their parents so inebriated, so much so it was as if they were a child themself. Wille’s eyes were full of it. Wille had laughed it off, joking about how Simon’s father wasn't the only one to be a bit of a mess, and Simon had just hugged him. Simon hated knowing that Wille had experienced even a little of what he went through.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

The two hadn't said I love you. Not explicitly. But they had learned what it meant when it was looking in each other's eyes. Simon was too afraid to tell Wille, scared that it'd scare him off. Wille was too afraid for the same reason, so they settled in just telling each other in every other way. Small acts of service, affection, (safe) sex, going on dates, giving each other small gifts like coffee, breakfast or a book.

They had their little world and they were both happy to be sharing it. It contained Sara, Linda, Flora, Rosh and Ayub.

Ayub and Rosh had fit themselves into their little bubble when they had found Wille in school. They had introduced themselves and promised that if they hadn't approached him, Simon would have never had them meet. So they were doing him a service. Wille liked them, they were out there and a bit loud. But, they were funny and talkative which meant he didn't have to be.

Wille had figured out that Rosh and Ayub were gossips. They loved asking questions, within two days of knowing Wille, Rosh asked Wille about his sex life with Simon. But that was the one thing that was just theirs so he rejected each advance toward the subject. Rosh had given up by week three. When Wille told Simon that Rosh and Ayub had found him and hadn’t left him alone since, Simon couldn't help but laugh.

“I should've told you, they love being around. That's why I transferred to Hillerska.” Simon had joked.

“Baby!”

“I'm joking, Sara made me.”

“So now I’m their school friend.”

“Don't pretend to be upset about it.”

“They asked me if you're good in bed, Simme!” Wille pretended to be distraught.

“And did you tell them that I am?”

“No,”

“Is it because I’m not?”

Wille had given Simon a look, which only made him giggle and kiss him repeatedly.

“I didn't say anything,”

“Because…?”

“Because you are.”

“That's what I was looking for.”

Wille laughed and rolled his eyes, burying his face in Simon’s stomach which made him squirm and laugh loudly. Simon was happy that Wille liked his friends. He only had two and it'd be a problem if they didn't get along with his boyfriend. Now their group was four large. The occasional pretty girl joined their group for about a week but Rosh wasn't the best at relationships.

Everything seemed to be in place, settled. There weren't any surprises, just routine. A comfortable routine that worked for Wille and Simon. Simon’s family and friends approved and Wille had introduced Simon to his brother over a video call. Things were okay, normal. It was good. Simon was happy he had stayed, that he hadn't run.

Wille was a part of his world, which meant it'd be hard for him to ever leave it. Simon didn't want him to leave and Wille didn't want to leave either. They had told each other each and every day that they wanted to stay. ‘Wanna stay over?’ was no longer a question that needed to be asked, they would just stay. They would wake up and they would go to school, see each other at work then stay again.

Chapter 16: Surprise

Summary:

"Wille stifled a laugh and Simon’s eyes softened as he looked up at Wille. Simon giggled at Wille’s blushing cheeks. Wille shook his head and looked down at his lap, making Simon giggle even more, and kissed any and all flesh his lips could reach. That only made Wille laugh and blush even more. Wille turned and Simon caught his lips, kissing him many times.

Wille gladly kissed him back and laughed softly when Simon giggled. They both pressed their noses to the other’s cheek as they just settled into their small moment. Wille could only savor the moment. His mind always became a foggy mess when he was with Simon, and it was only emphasized when the two kissed. The feeling had been there the first time they had kissed but he thought it was only fleeting, but the feeling never went away nor did it fade. He was convinced it actually became stronger."

Notes:

So...I made Simon a Gemini and Wille a Sagittarius. I don't know much about star signs but I looked up descriptions and those seemed to be the best ones to describe these two in the time frames I had set up! If you'd like to start star sign discourse in the comments or yell at me about how wrong I am on Twitter, you are more than welcome to!

I hope you enjoy this chapter! >__< !

Chapter Text

Simon yawned softly. He had woken up to Wille’s empty bed. He knew that Wille had work. Simon had asked for the day off months again. It was May 23rd. It was his eighteenth birthday. He thought he’d be celebrating with his family and Rosh and Ayub months ago so he had asked for the day off. Now he had a boyfriend. He had Wille, and Wille was a celebrator. He didn’t know how to tell Wille. Wille hadn’t ever asked his name, so he had just assumed that it wasn’t something Wille knew. He figured that he’d tell Wille after the day. There was no point to burden him now with the knowledge, he had missed the due date to warn Wille about it.

Wille knew. Rosh and Ayub had tested him on all things Simon within a few days of knowing Wille, and knowing that they were dating (Simon hadn’t told them they had become official). They gave a near-castrating look at Wille not knowing Simon’s birthday. They had smacked Wille’s narrow shoulders and he sank into himself in shame.

“He never told me.” Wille tried to excuse himself.

“Did you tell him yours?” Ayub’s eyes were wide.

“No, it had just passed when we met, didn’t think it was relevant.” Wille shrugged.

It had been December 18th. Wille’s shoulder endured another blow before he pulled away and gave the two a look. They mumbled apologies but their verbal punishment still persisted for many more minutes before Wille finally had the chance to ask them what it was. They laughed at themselves, finding it hilarious that with their beratement, they had forgotten to even tell the hopeless boy of his boyfriend’s birthday.

“It’s May 23rd. He asked for the day off in September when he had to adjust his hours for the school year.” Rosh had somehow found some food from Wille’s bag and was chewing it as she spoke.

‘That was my lunch…” Wille pointed at the half-eaten granola bar.

Rosh paused and smiled with a half-bitten chocolate chip staining her teeth. Another apology. Wille couldn’t help laughing. He said goodbye to his friends, or rather Simon’s at that point, and immediately began thinking of what to get Simon for his birthday. Luckily he had snuck his phone number to Sara and he could as a much more reliable source about what sort of celebrations Simon would truly enjoy. Ayub and Rosh had told him that Simon would want a raging party with all the kids of their year in attendance. Wille quickly rejected the idea with a gritted smile.

Now it was the day. Flora had kept Wille’s gift to Simon in the safety of her apartment above the bakery. It was nothing large or extravagant, he knew that Simon wasn’t one to enjoy materialistic things but rathered things that had some intention and love in them. So, Wille had to think harder for this than anything that had entered his mind. Wille had said he had work, it was the perfect reason to go and retrieve the gift, then quickly return. He’d hoped that Simon would have just woken up when he came back. Simon has been sleeping beside him nearly every night for the past six months so he was thankfully right.

Wille treaded softly into his family’s apartment as he walked into the kitchen. He had convinced Flora to allow him to make bread from scratch, all on his own. It had gone well, surprisingly. It had only taken three tries to achieve a passable loaf of bread. He had sliced it at work and was able to make the perfect french toast. He knew the smell and the noise would attract a sleepy Simon but it was taking longer than he had assumed.

When he felt the shorter boy’s cheek pressed to the middle of his back and his arms around his torso, Wille couldn’t help but smile. Simon hummed, clearly confused but happy that Wille was back when he was meant to be at work. Wille freed his hand so that he could rub Simon’s arms and lift one of his hands to his lips. Simon moved around him and jumped up onto the counter. He swung his feet with his sleepy eyes set on Wille, who was avoiding eye contact. Simon tilted his head, Wille wasn’t one to avoid his gaze. He loved eye contact.

“Wille…” Simon whispered, gently kicking the blond’s leg.

“Yes, my love?” Wille asked, glancing at Simon, his eyes only reaching his chest.

“What’s wrong?” Simon asked and reached out to Wille.

“Nothing,” a look that could kill, “Really baby, nothing is wrong.”

“Then you know something.” Simon’s eyes were playfully narrowed (at least Wille hoped they were playful).

“Why- What would I possibly know that you don’t?” Wille scoffed nervously.

Simon couldn’t help but smile. He turned off the stove, causing Wille to give him a stern look but it quickly melted away. Simon pulled Wille to him and wrapped his arms around his neck. Wille cleared his throat and finally locked eyes with Simon. Simon raised his brows and Wille nearly melted and spilled his secrets to Simon. But he was determined. He may not be stubborn or strong-willed but he needed to be for this day.

“Are you really not going to tell?” Simon sang and pressed kisses to Wille’s face.

“Since there is nothing to tell, no, I am not.” Wille hummed and stole a few kisses that Simon was happy to deliver.

“Fine, I just better not be dumped tonight or something.” Simon shrugged and slid off the counter, becoming chest and chest with Wille.

“The last thing I’d do today, or any day, is dump you,” Wille stated and took a step toward the stove again.

“Hmm fine, fine.” Simon giggled and patted Wille’s shoulder and went to sit at the small table in the kitchen.

“Thank you,” Wille bowed his head and turned the stove back on.

He cleared his throat and finished cooking what was in the pan. The slices of french toast had been nearly done when Simon turned off the burner. Wille plated the short stack of french toast and set it down in front of Simon. He then surrounded the plate with different sliced fruit, butter, and syrup. It was the perfect amount of food for both of them. Wille sat down beside Simon and poured him some juice.

Simon kissed his cheek and felt his stomach growl. He was happy that, even though Wille didn’t know it was his birthday, he made him feel so special each and every day. Simon dressed his french toast with different fruits and with a large amount of syrup as Wille watched him. Wille licked his lips when Simon set down the syrup and only drizzled some to his pile of french toast.

Wille watched Simon cut and take a big bite of his stack. Simon melted and chewed slowly to savor the taste. That caused the blond to laugh, the french toast could only be so good. Simon was always a bit dramatic but Wille had always loved him for it. Simon rolled his eyes as he swallowed his large bite.

“You look adorable when you eat,” Wille whispered.

Simon laughed with his cheeks full of food while Wille admired him. Wow, Wille loved Simon so much. Wille couldn’t help but grin. Simon loved that stupidly big smile. Wille leans over and kisses his full cheek and laughed softly.

“Will you let me eat in peace Wilhelm?” Simon laughed and blushed deeply.

“Oh wow, the full first name! I see how it is!” Wille laughed and leaned back, starting to eat himself.

“Sorry, sorry my sweet lover boy.” Simon teased and kissed Wille’s cheek repeatedly.

“Oh ew, never again!” Wille laughed, nearly choking on his food.

“Suddenly you don’t like my kisses?” Simon laughed and patted Wille’s back.

“Simme!” Wille laughed and took Simon’s face, kissing his lips repeatedly.

“Hmm I know, I know, let’s just eat, or else your delicious food will get cold.”

Wille hummed and nodded. He turned his body and focused on his food as did Simon. Wille knew they were on a time crunch. The Erikssons had put together a bit of a party for Simon. Wille was supposed to be the person to get Simon dressed and back to his house without revealing the party. He, of all people, was in charge of getting the person that asks so many questions, to follow him anywhere blindly. He was up for the challenge but he was definitely not going to struggle a bit.

Simon and Wille finished up their food and Wille stood to clean up. Simon tried to clean up with Wille but Wille shook his head and motioned him to get changed. Simon raised his brows and kisses Wille’s cheek, walking into Wille’s bedroom and getting washed up and dressed. Wille washed the dishes carefully and then joined Simon in his room.

Simon was dressed in a nice sweater and his curls were somehow tamed atop his head, just a bit wet. Wille smiled at the scene of Simon messing with already perfect curls in the mirror and stood in the doorway. Simon looked about him through the mirror and smiled.

“What is it?” Simon asked gently and turned around to look at Wille.

“Hm, nothing baby, just admiring.” Wille laughs softly and walks to Simon, kissing him for just a few seconds.

“You should wash up, you taste like maple syrup,” Simon whispered and ran his fingers through Wille’s hair.

“Is there something wrong with maple syrup? You seemed to like it plenty when you were eating breakfast,” Wille laughed and kissed him again.

“Hmm I do,” Simon licked his lips, “but I should probably get home soon, it's been a while since I’ve been back. Since it’s my- my day off.”

“Yeah, you’re right. I’ll take a quick shower if that’s okay. Then I’ll have you home for…your day off.” Wille hummed.

Simon nodded and kissed his cheek once more before Wille broke away and went into the bathroom. Simon took a deep breath and checked the time before he sat down on Wille’s bed. He hummed and pulled his book out of his bag. He got himself comfortable and focused on reading. Wille came out of the bathroom. Simon glanced up and smiled a little when Wille entered. Wille shot him a little smile then turned to get dressed.

Wille combed his hair and work one of his sweaters, it was the color of the grey sky when he first met Simon. Simon had returned the sweater the month after he had stolen it from Wille. He insisted on taking a fresh one, wanting the scent of Wille (though he’d never admit that) with him every time he wore it. With the warm weather and consistent blue skies, Wille had rotated his brighter colors into the front of his drawers but he knew he wanted to wear the grey one just once more.

Simon took notice of course. He was always the observant type. Wille knew he had noticed but he said nothing, his goal was not to tell Simon what was happening but he knew he wouldn’t be able to have him be completely clueless about the plans that his family and friends had made. Simon had closed his book and joined Wille at the mirror. Wille was trying to get his hair out of the tangles in his hair.

“Are we almost ready to go, baby?” Simon asked and ran his fingers through Wille’s dampened hair.

Wille nodded and cleared his throat, kissing Simon’s cheek before turning and grabbing his things. Simon followed him out of the door and took out his bus card but there was a taxi sitting outside of the apartment. Wille’s eyes widened a bit and cleared his throat. Simon scanned his face and read that he was as surprised as he was to see the taxi.

“Uh, taxi for Wilhelm and Simon?” The taxi driver had stepped out of the car and was peering at the two clueless boys over the top of the car.

“That’s us, yes.” Wille cleared his throat and opened the back door for Simon.

Simon thanked Wille softly and got in. He slid across the seats and looked out the window. Wille sat down beside him and took Simon’s hand. He squeezed his hand and chewed on his lip. He felt lucky that Flora was going to be there, he had forgotten the present he had stashed at Flora’s. Flora had texted him to let him know and said that she’d be there at the party.
He’d hoped that Simon would be happy to have her there. He was anxious that he had gotten it all wrong, that this party was going to be something that Simon would despise it. He hoped that it would be alright and that Simon would at least appreciate it, even if it wasn’t his usual scene, he deserved to be celebrated. Simon was resting his head on his shoulder when Wille tuned back in.

“What’s on your mind bub?” Simon asked, having noticed that Wille was looking out of the window.

“Oh, just- you actually,” Wille laughed shyly and kissed his head.

“What about me?” Simon laughs back, leaning up and kissing his cheek.

“Oh, just how loved you are. And how you deserve to be.”

“Baby, what?” Simon looked at Wille.

“No, nothing baby, I’m just being a little emotional ‘'cause- I guess it’s the sweater.”

Wille stifled a laugh and Simon’s eyes softened as he looked up at Wille. Simon giggled at Wille’s blushing cheeks. Wille shook his head and looked down at his lap, making Simon giggle even more, and kissed any and all flesh his lips could reach. That only made Wille laugh and blush even more. Wille turned and Simon caught his lips, kissing him many times.

Wille gladly kissed him back and laughed softly when Simon giggled. They both pressed their noses to the other’s cheek as they just settled into their small moment. Wille could only savor the moment. His mind always became a foggy mess when he was with Simon, and it was only emphasized when the two kissed. The feeling had been there the first time they had kissed but he thought it was only fleeting, but the feeling never went away nor did it fade. He was convinced it actually became stronger.

The two took their moment as they pulled up in front of the Eriksson’s home. The taxi cleared his throat and looked at the two as they pulled away from each other. They both smiled shyly and nodded, thanking the guy for the ride, and walked hand and hand into the house. That was when everyone appeared in front of Simon, with Wille just a step behind him.

Simon felt an unexpected jolt when he saw that everyone was there. He had figured Sara and his mama to be home for his birthday but Rosh, Ayub, and even Flora were there. He was overwhelmed, he felt a thick lump in his throat as he tried to process it all. He felt tears threaten that he could only manage to sway back into Wille and relaxed when he felt the blond’s arms safely around him.

“Happy birthday baby,” Wille whispered and nuzzled his nose into Simon’s now-dried curls smiling softly.

Simon gasped gently and looks at Wille. Wille raised his brows and laughs softly. He knew. Wille knew his birthday and hadn’t given the surprise away. He was a part of it instead. Simon was overwhelmed, and he was surprised that it wasn’t coming from a source of fear but rather from pure elation. He turned around and pulled Wille into a tight hug.

“Thank you, baby, I’m so- how did you find out it was my birthday?” Simon asked and turned back around to hug everyone that was there.

“Oh, Ayub and Rosh.” Wille shrugged and laughed when Simon playfully glared at them both after hugging them both.

Simon laughed softly and hugged Flora since he had no expectation that she’d know his birthday, let alone close the bakery solely to celebrate with him. Finally, he hugged Sara and his mama. He thanked them in their native language before pulling away and taking in the scene behind them all. There was a cake, a small pile of gifts, his favorite foods, and a stack of his favorite board games. Wille went up to him and took his hand. Simon smiled brightly at the newest addition to his world and thanked him with another kiss.

“This is absolutely perfect, did you plan this all Wille?” Simon asked him, his eyes searching his boyfriend’s face.

“Mm not exactly, I told everyone that I wanted to have a party for your birthday. Flora made the cake, Sara made the decorations, your mama cooked dinner, Ayub and Rosh chose out your favorite games and uh I kinda just helped where I could.” Wille shrugged and smiled. “It was really everyone else that made this perfect.”

Simon laughed softly and looked at everyone, feeling lucky at that moment to have them all. He didn’t need any of the celebrations, if the table were to be empty he’d still be grinning. He loved that each and every person he loved was under the same roof, especially because of his birthday. Everyone seemed to be ready to do anything that Simon wanted and he couldn’t help but laugh.

He shuffled over and patted his stomach when he saw all of his favorite food laid out on the table.

“No wonder you didn’t feed me that much, I was about to complain!” Simon laughed.

Wille shrugged and laughed with him, picking up a plate and serving Simon a little bit of everything which let everyone else also grab as much as they wanted. They all sat down at the table and began talking to one another. Linda and Flora seemed to finish up a conversation that they had been having since before Simon and Wille arrived. Ayub and Rosh teased Sara but still made sure she had water or enough food. Wille was listening to the conversation with Flora and Linda and was smiling sheepishly. They must've been singing his praises since he was blushing deeply.

Simon watched everyone as he ate. He wasn’t much of a talker and since he was surrounded by people who knew at least that, they didn’t force him to talk. He just listened to bits and pieces of each conversation as he chewed his food, his hand never leaving Wille’s as Wille laughed and joked with Rosh and Ayub. He would look at Simon every once and a while or say something just in case Simon wanted to jump into the conversation then only smiled when Simon said nothing. He really wanted to kiss this silly boy beside him.

Wille usually hated being social. Sure he seemed like a social butterfly but it was only when he was in the situation. He’d usually avoid events like this, being talkative was the only way that he got drained quickly. He felt at ease though, the people around him didn’t seem to expect him to be anyone but himself. They talked to him, or about him in such a positive way that he couldn’t help but enjoy talking with them. He liked being able to make them laugh or have Flora smile at him. It wasn’t a rare occurrence but seeing Flora outside of the bakery was still new and he never knew if he’d see her like this more.

Everyone helped clean up the table, more than happy to playfully scold Simon if he tried to help. Linda put on some music as all the guests and she tidied up and washed the dishes together. Sara danced with Simon around the dining room table where only the cake sat. They laughed together as they held each other’s hands while they occasionally bumped into the chairs. Ayub and Rosh laughed as they set up a game they knew Simon liked and that everyone could play together. Wille stayed in the kitchen, slowly drying the dishes handed to him as he watched Simon hop around the dining room.

Linda took notice as she dried her hands, the dished had been tamed and all was left was to have cake and play some games. Wille was still just watching Simon and she leaned against the sink. It was no surprise to her that she was witnessing pure love pouring from his eyes. She could tell how much the two boys loved each other. Not only did they love each other but they respected one another. When Simon didn’t feel like talking, Wille would talk enough for the both of them without an ounce of frustration. When Wille didn’t understand something Linda said Simon would simply explain or repeat what she had said so Wille could.

Simon finally brought Wille out of the kitchen, out of his daze of staring and just watching. Linda hummed and put away the dishes that were now dried and watched Simon grin at Wille getting closer to him. Wille was stiff and a bit awkward as he hopped around with Simon but Simon didn’t seem to care. He only giggled and held onto his boyfriend’s hand. Wille seemed to be content just to be part of why Simon was smiling.

Once Sara had sat down with a pant, Simon wrapped his arms around Wille’s neck and they swayed to the upbeat music. Wille leaned down and pressed kisses to Simon’s cheeks and Simon couldn’t help but blush. Then Rosh threw a piece of the board game at Simon and succeeded in hitting him with it. Simon immediately turned and flipped off his friends. That only made the dining room erupt in laughter, as it had only a handful of times before. It was enchanting. Linda hadn’t seen her son smile so brightly in a long time.

She leaned against the counter yet again and then Flora appeared beside her. She had opened the bottle of wine she had brought and poured them each a glass. She handed Linda a glass and then clinked her own against it. They both took a sip and shared a smile before they both turned back to the five teens in the dining room, laughing and finally sitting down to play the game. Simon seemed to be pressed to Wille and Wille had his arm around him. That stopped him from being able to reach but he let Simon move his pawn for him.

Music poured out of the kitchen. Linda and Flora chatted in Spanish as Simon sang along, playfully serenading his friends who joked about wanting him to stop. Wille only quietly listened to Simon’s voice. Simon hadn’t ever sung in front of him in the five short months together. He wanted to savor each and every note that came out of Simon’s lips. Simon would turn to him and sing softly to him then press a kiss to his cheek just before it was his turn to roll.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Simon and his friends all turned toward the big window that exposed any people standing at the door. Linda was late to look and when she did, her face dropped. Her kids’ with hers.

No.

Chapter 17: Emancipation

Summary:

“You’re not welcome here.” Wille stepped forward again, driving Micke away from the doorway.

“Like hell I’m not, this is my house.” Micke’s voice was barely raised but Wille felt Simon flinch against his shoulder.

Notes:

hi hi, i've been so so busy lately so I haven't been updating consistently but I was celebrating my birthday last week and now this weekend! but I have some free time before more fun times ensue so I decided to finish and upload this chapter.

It's not too long but I think it does drive the story forward in an impactful way!!

TW: Mentions of alcohol and drug abuse, physical and verbal violence (pls just proceed with caution, there is not super in depth depictions but can't be too careful!)

Chapter Text

“Happy Birthday my son!” A slurred voice spoke from the doorway.

Simon was standing at the door with the handle in his hold, his knuckles were white and his face seemed to be paled. Wille looked at Ayub and Rosh who only looked down at the table and sipped their drinks. Sara had disappeared into her mother’s bedroom while Linda stood at the arch of the kitchen.

“What are you doing here?” Simon spat. Wille hadn’t ever heard him this angry.

“What? I can’t see my son and wish him a happy eighteenth birthday?” It had to be Micke.

Wille went pale and glanced at Linda who had her arms crossed over her chest defensively. She readjusted her posture against the doorframe and looked back at Wille. She gave him an unreadable look and he felt a pang of panic through his chest. He took a deep breath and walked up to the door, standing in protection beside Simon.

The man looked pathetic if Wille was being honest. He wouldn’t say it aloud but he knew that statement would be well received by everyone in the house save Flora who didn’t know the trauma Micke had given to Simon and Sara before he left them. Wille’s fist was clenched as he looked at the small man, he looked tired. He looked tired and drunk. He was still a drunk apparently. Wille could smell the alcohol so strongly he wouldn’t doubt that it was imprinted on his skin.

“How did you get here?” Simon asked again, not answering his father’s question.

“Drove, duh. Your father has a car.” Micke slurred and laughed drunkenly.

“You shouldn’t have come here.” Wille hissed and Simon rested a hand on his forearm.

“And who are you?” Micke redirected his drunken attention to Wille, Wille preferred that.

“I’m Wilhelm, Simon’s boyfriend,” Wille stated and gently pulled Simon behind him, Simon obliged.

Wille could feel Simon’s shaky hold on his forearm. Simon pressed his chest to Wille’s back and rested his forehead on the blade of his shoulder. Wille could feel the boy shake against him. Simon was resisting the urge to just melt into the blonde boy by wrapping his arms around his waist and pulling him away from the reality of who his family is.

“Well, nice to meet you, Wilhelm, are you making my son happy?”

“Mm, yes I am.” Wille reached back to remind himself that Simon was behind him and holding onto him.

“Well then, why don’t I come in and uh celebrate with everyone?”

Micke attempted to step into the house but Wille turned himself and Simon so he wouldn’t have access. The older man looked up at Wille and glared before again, trying to at least step in once. Wille stepped forward and straightened, glaring back at Micke. Micke scoffed and leaned into the house and saw that his daughter was gone and his ex-wife had disappeared into the kitchen.

“This was my house well before you were born, so get out of my way boy.” Micke’s teeth were grit, “I have a birthday to celebrate.”

“You’re not welcome here.” Wille stepped forward again, driving Micke away from the doorway.

“Like hell I’m not, this is my house.” Micke’s voice was barely raised but Wille felt Simon flinch against his shoulder.

“We don’t want you here.” Wille reached around to hold Simon’s hand, who took it and squeezed it.

“Well I want to see my son!” The drunk’s voice was now projecting through the house.

Simon bowed his head and screwed his eyes shut. He felt like he was seven again. Hearing his father’s raised voice that never seemed to lose the slow drawl of it no matter how many times he promised sobriety. He remembered clutching the smaller but older Sara, who never seemed to stop crying.

A sob shuttered through him as he was the one allowed to cry now, he was being held. He shook, each sob wracking through his body as Micke attempted to step into the house again. Micke’s hand appeared, wrapped around Wille’s upper arm. A hand that had striked Linda and Simon so many times.

“Get off of him!” Simon shouted, his vision was blurred with tears but none were forming anymore.

Wille’s eyes widened and he stepped aside. Simon’s teeth were gritted, his hands balled into fists as he finally looked his father in his eye.

“Don't you ever touch him again.” Simon’s voice was steady and firm. “This isn't your home and we are not your family! You gave up that right, you vile, disgusting excuse of a human.”

Micke’s eyes narrowed and he stumbled back, losing his footing but catching it at the last second. He moved as if Simon hadn't only yelled at him. Simon glanced at Wille and Wille looked back at him, shock pooled with pride was painted on his face. Simon just wanted to sink into his arms and sob, but his father was still there.

“Leave. I don't want to see you. That hasn't changed since we made you leave so LEAVE!!” Simon had stepped out of the house, slowly driving his father away from the front door and away from the house.

“You are a pathetic piece of shit. So PATHETIC that you couldn’t even TRY to be a good father. You preyed on your WIFE and CHILDREN just so that you could feel like a sliver of a man! Now I’m a man and I’m looking at nothing, YOU ARE NOTHING!! You were never once my father, you were and are a nightmare that I pray to God I can one day rid myself of! So leave me and MY FAMILY alone.”

Simon watched as his drunken father got into his car and drove away. His chest rose and fell as he sucked in as much air as he could. He coughed harshly and pressed his hand to his chest, his cough uncontrollable as he stood at the end of the walkway, where it met the gravel. His sobs replaced his cough.

Wille approached slowly, moving beside Simon but not saying anything. The two watched until the beat up car couldn't be seen anymore. Flora appeared second, holding a glass of water. Simon took it, allowing Flora to give his hand a squeeze, then drank it in one go. Simon handed it back then turned to Wille.

The curly headed boy, voice hoarse, could only whisper his love’s name before wrapping his arms around Wille's waist and hugging him. Wille hugged back, making sure he didn't pull away for even a second. He tightened the hug when Simon did and only pulled away when Sara and Linda appeared.

Simon began to cry again, sniffling softly as he melted into Sara’s arms. Linda’s protective arms wrapped around both her kids and kissed just where their hair met their foreheads. Wille chewed on his lip and went to Flora, burying his nose in her hair as he hugged her tightly. She smelled of the bakery and he wished he could stay in that scent forever.

Rosh and Ayub stood at the doorway and when Simon locked eyes with them, he rushed to them. He hugged them both, Rosh wiped his tears and grinned.

“You fucking legend!” She laughed.

“That was fucking awesome.” Rosh added.

Simon laughed tiredly and hugged them both once more. He hated that he had to have a father, a forever tie, to such a vile human being. But he knew that everyone that had stayed would soften the blow each time the reminder came. He sniffled and motioned for everyone to go inside, he didn't want his birthday to end with Micke.

 

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

The night ended after everyone had tried to make Simon feel better. And he had to admit that they did. Rosh and Ayub played games they always refused to play but knew Simon loved. Flora made some
bread with his mama that they eat with jam and butter.
Sara’s giggles made anything funny and she made sure to laugh a little harder just so Simon could smile. Wille held his hand and kissed any part of his face Simon offered.

But really having Wille fit into his family was what really made everything feel like it'd be okay. It always would be. Simon’s family was strong and compact but there was plenty of love between them all. That was enough, more than enough. It was all that Simon ever wanted. He hoped that Micke got the message, and would actually stay away. Even if he didn't, Simon knew now that he was strong enough to drive him away again.

Simon didn't want to think about Micke anymore but he knew he had to. He needed to talk to Wille about him, Wille had to know why he was the way he was. He just didn't know how to approach it. He wanted to do it so he couldn't risk losing Wille over it. Everyone else knew, it was Wille’s time to learn now.

Wille was coming out of the shower, fresh clothes on and his hair dripping onto the towel he had put over his shoulders. Simon was sitting against the wall and fiddled with Wille’s sweater that he was wearing, his hair drying. Wille looked at him and leaned down over the bed and pressed soft kisses to Simon’s lips.

Simon melted, his knees lifting so he could lean up and kiss Wille back. Oh how much he wanted to just kiss this stupidly pretty boy and forget about all his problems. Wille pulled away and he smiled softly. Simon appreciated that he never saw pity in Wille’s eyes. Simon cleared his throat, it was still stinging no matter how much tea had made him drink.

“Micke, uhm,” Simon looked up at Wille, who quickly moved to sit beside him.

“We don't, I don't have to know everything about what it was like…if you don't want me to.” Wille whispered.

Simon's brows unfurrowed as he looked at Wille. How did he know? Simon sighed and shook his head. He had to tell him. It was a surprise to Wille. None of it, the abuse of drugs, alcohol, the physical violence, the yelling, the crying. But he learned of Simon’s endurance of any and all anger that Micke had for Sara, taking all of her beating himself.

He told Wille of Sara once trying to stop their father from hurting their mother when they were only 6 and 5. How his father had struck her across the cheek. How Simon witnessed it and attempted to fight back. He wasn't very tall but that didn't stop Micke. Simon would endure the bruises just so Sara didn't get hit again.

Simon spoke shakily as he talked, just above a whisper. His back was still securely against the wall and his eyes at his floor. Wille listened silently, not offering any noise of pity or anger, just letting Simon speak. Simon didn't cry, he had used up his tears. All he could do was be angry. Angry that his father had made him fear falling in love, of becoming like him, of reminding Sara or their Mama of Micke.

Simon looked at Wille once he was finished and Wille’s eyes were at his lap. Tears stained his cheeks and shirt as he stared blankly, as if he wasn't aware of his own emotions. Simon watched Wille’s fists tighten and loosen shakily. He could tell Wille was angry. He blinked and slowly slid his hands to Wille’s.

“I'm glad you hadn't told me before, or else I would've killed him before he could’ve spoken.” Wille muttered, his jaw set as he looked at their intertwined hands.

Simon watched as Wille took a deep breath, his eyes full of anger rose to meet Simon’s and just as quickly as they moved up, they changed. They softened and all the anger seemed to be gone. Wille’s hands left Simon’s just to reappear at Simon’s waist, pulling him onto his lap.

Simon sank into him and hugged him tightly, shutting his eyes as Wille ran his hands up and down Simon’s back. Simon tipped back and rested his forehead against Wille’s. The two lifted their chins and kissed one another, a long pressed kiss before they laid down.

Simon watched Wille as he laid down facing him. Simon reached up and ran his fingers through his damp hair then smiled softly. Wille smiled back and took Simon’s hand from his hair and kissed each knuckle on his fingers. Simon watched and felt butterflies flutter in his stomach. He swallowed hard and bit his lip.

“I love you.” Simon whispered, his eyes locked with Wille’s.

“I love you.” He repeated, wanting to make sure Wille heard him. “so much.”

Chapter 18: Love

Summary:

"With it being nearly summer, Flora’s apartment was full of light and fresh spring air. The doors that lead to a small deck off of the kitchen were wide open and Simon and Wille decided to sit there. Simon flipped through a book that seemed older than Flora while Wille took in the day. It was a perfect day, warm but not humid, with just enough clouds, the smell of the bakery wafting up to the boys.

Simon shifted and leaned against Wille, who gladly wrapped his arm around his waist and rested it on Simon’s thigh as Simon stretched his legs out the length of the couch. Wille kissed Simon’s crown of curls and looked over his shoulder to read what he was reading. Simon turned his head and pecked Wille’s lips, flipping back to page one to start reading out loud to him."

Notes:

This is just a sappy kinda angsty filler chapter since I've been sitting on it trying to figure out what to do next! Enjoy!

Chapter Text

“You love me,” Wille wore a stupidly wide grin as he leaned over the counter of Flora’s bakery.

“Shut up, Wilhelm, or I’ll take it back.” Simon playfully glared at him.

“Hmm no you won’t,” Wille sang and plated another concha and made Simon a cup of coffee.

The two weren’t working that day, but they had decided that Flora’s was the perfect start to their day so they came to ransack the place of her delicious pastries and below-average but familiar coffee. Wille carried his small plate with Simon’s in one hand and Simon’s coffee in the other. It was a balancing act, and for a boy that was usually extremely clumsy, he didn’t drop a single crumb. Wille sat across from Simon and slid him his coffee and concha.

“Why wouldn’t I?” Simon tested, taking a sip of the scalding coffee.

“Hmm ‘cause, I love you too. And no takebacks, no matter how much I annoy you.” Wille bit into his concha (Simon had convinced him to try one by the third week they started dating, and Wille was hooked).

“Well, you didn’t say it back right away.” Simon quirked a brow as he took another sip.

“Oh, excuse me for taking a second to register what you said and then immediately saying it back.” Wille’s cheeks were full.

Simon snorts and wipes Wille’s mouth instead of saying anything. Wille laughed softly and kissed Simon’s thumb. They were stupidly in love. If anyone were around to see them, the bystanders’ teeth would be rotting. The two giggled without any words exchanged, their fingers never seemed to leave the others. They couldn't stop looking at each other, it was getting ridiculous.

Wille pulled Simon closer by his chair and Simon leaned into him. Their noses bumped softly and Simon took a slow breath in, Wille’s lips just barely brushing over his lips. Simon’s lips separate and just as Wille was going to capture them between his own, Flora walked in from the back. The boys pulled away just enough and Simon rested his head on Wille’s shoulder.

“You're allowed to kiss you know, my youngest had a boyfriend in senior high. They couldn't disconnect their lips. You two are tame in comparison.” Flora hadn’t even looked at them.

Simon and Wille needed no further permission, their lips connected and danced together in the perfect slow melody. Simon held Wille’s face and Wille his biceps. They only split when they heard Flora clear her throat. She waited until she saw their flushed cheeks and uncontrollable smiles to roll her eyes and go toward the back.

The two boys deemed that to be their cue and cleaned up their things. They both kissed Flora on the cheek and then headed up to her apartment. She had given Wille and Simon each a key, telling them to use the apartment whenever they wanted. They knew it meant that she wanted them around more so they tried to show up as much as possible.

With it being nearly summer, Flora’s apartment was full of light and fresh spring air. The doors that lead to a small deck off of the kitchen were wide open and Simon and Wille decided to sit there. Simon flipped through a book that seemed older than Flora while Wille took in the day. It was a perfect day, warm but not humid, with just enough clouds, the smell of the bakery wafting up to the boys.

Simon shifted and leaned against Wille, who gladly wrapped his arm around his waist and rested it on Simon’s thigh as Simon stretched his legs out the length of the couch. Wille kissed Simon’s crown of curls and looked over his shoulder to read what he was reading. Simon turned his head and pecked Wille’s lips, flipping back to page one to start reading out loud to him.

Reading didn't last very long. Wille’s tired but wandering hand had made contact with the flesh of Simon's stomach and suddenly their lips were locked again and there was nothing but warmth around them. It felt as though it was summer. They couldn't resist kissing, especially each other. But they chose to stop after only a few minutes, Simon still on Wille’s lap and his hands cupping his face.

Simon's eyes were staring into Wille's. For the first time since they start dating, Wille was nervous just having Simon look at him. He knew Simon was trying to figure him out without speaking and he knew he was trying to figure Simon out too. They were at a standstill. But Simon's eyes were subtly changing after every passing moment and suddenly the staring contest was just looking at one another.

Wille swallowed hard and blinked slowly, a confession bubbling in his chest as he witnessed Simon’s eyes soften even when he squinted. He wanted to tell Simon something but Simon knew everything about him. Wille was an open book once he got to know someone so he allowed Simon to read his story in every way as soon as they started dating. Simon knew how he worked, and what he looked back when he was holding back. Simon knew that what Wille was trying to say wasn’t anything bad but he did know how nervous he was about it. He tilted his head and allowed Wille to win the unspoken silent stare-off.

“Is something wrong bebé?” Simon asked gently, his fingers carefully combing through Wille’s hair.

“Mm, well, uhm, summer break starts soon.” Wille clears his throat.

“I know, what about it?” Simon licked his lips and looked up at Wille.

“Well, that means, uhm, my brother is coming home.” Wille was trying to contain a smile.

“Okay, is there something wrong with that?” Simon adjusts so he could fully look at Wille’s face.

“No, not really. I just wanted to tell you, since my brother has always wanted to meet you in person.” Wille smiles sadly, he was worried that Erik would be overwhelming to Simon.

“Hm, well luckily, I’ve wanted to meet him in person too. I wanna get to know the guy that kept my boyfriend alive all these years,” Simon kissed Wille’s cheek and settled back against his chest.

“Hmm okay,” Wille nodded and kissed Simon’s head, turning on the tv and letting Simon read to himself.

Wille’s eyes shifted and all the dialogue from the random show he landed on wasn’t processing in his mind. He was riddled with nerves and curiosity about what will happen when Simon and Erik finally meet. He had introduced them ages ago, over video call but he and Simon had just gotten together right after the holidays so Erik hadn’t had the chance to get home before his spring semester ended. He wondered if Erik will like Simon, and if he didn’t, would he pressure him to dump Simon? Would they hit it off a little too well and it would be like Wille didn’t exist? He shook his head, trying not to let his anxiety get the best of him.

Simon could feel his heart racing. Wille’s eyes were up and forward but they were bouncing around the room, stuck mainly on the ceiling as he seemed to be mouthing things to himself. Simon rarely saw Wille this way, Wille was usually the calm one between the two, always telling Simon not to overthink but he understood how highly Wille thought of his brother. He knew it was important to him that they get along or at least like each other enough that neither of them will complain to Wille about the other. Simon leaned up and kissed Wille’s jaw, slowly pulling him to look at him. Simon offered a smile and connected their lips for a soft and sweet kiss before returning to his book. Wille’s heart seemed to slow, and his eyes became more fixed on the tv.

Wille took a deep breath and felt thankful, at that moment, that Simon knew him so well and that he loved him enough to continue to want to know him. He loved Simon and Simon loved him. That was everything to him, Simon was everything to him. He didn’t want to risk feeling hurt by Erik’s opinion of Simon. Wille always thought that Erik would always be the most important person in his life because he was the one to bathe him, feed him, and was the first person to truly love him endlessly. Now that Simon had walked into his life, or rather he bumped into Simon’s, all he could fear was losing Simon.
Erik would always be his brother, no matter what happened to either of them, if they fell out, if they fought, or if one got hurt. They had a tie to each other that could not be broken no matter how hard they tried. But Simon, Simon was different, Wille had to make sure that Simon would want to stay with him. He didn’t have room to make mistakes, he couldn’t risk losing Simon by hurting him. He couldn’t conceive the feeling of what it would be like to have Simon as far away from him as Erik was. Wille needed Simon and that was terrifying. Simon needed him too, but Wille didn’t know if it was the same level of want and need. Simon had a loving mother and sister, and two friends that would wear themselves out to make him happy. For eight months out of the year, Wille was alone, he rarely saw his parents, and his brother was always too busy to speak on the phone for more than a couple minutes.

He was completely and utterly alone. Sure, he had Flora and the bakery but he was always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Waiting for the moment he no longer reminded Flora of her youngest son or when he burned too many loaves of bread. He was just waiting for her to no longer want him anymore. He had Simon, and he was determined to continue to love him and cherish him so as to not lose him. He didn’t want to lose Simon’s family which was small and broken but rich with love, he didn’t want to lose Rosh or Ayub no matter how pushy and invasive they could be. They were becoming a part of his humanity and that was terrifying. He was so used to being alone and isolated that he didn’t know how to build his own family instead of being invited into one.

Wille had to hope that things with Simon would last forever. He just had to. He didn’t have any chance of making friends of his own or gaining any more family that wasn’t Erik and Flora. He wanted to be a part of everyone’s life, he wanted to keep their love surrounding them. He knew that it was a bad thing, it was an awareness that didn’t seem to ever fade, let alone go away. He knew he should have other friends, that he should have people around him that weren’t because of his work or because he was dating Simon but he didn’t know how. He didn’t know if he wanted to put himself out there so much. It was all too much.

Simon felt Wille’s heart racing again, his eyes shifting here and there. Simon lifted his head and looked at Wille. Wille looked back at him, having felt the shift of Simon’s body from his.

“Are you sure you’re okay baby?” Simon said gently and kissed Wille’s nose.

“Mm, just overthinking,” Wille whispered.

“Hm, then why don’t we do something that won’t let you think?” Simon quirked a brow and kissed his cheek.

“Sure,” Wille smiles a little, it was a bit forced.

“Let’s get pizza then call Rosh and Ayub, a ride would be fun.” Simon offered.
Wille smiled a bit wider, no longer forcing it.

“That sounds fun,” Wille mumbled as he felt Simon crawl onto his lap.

“Okay then, let’s do it,” Simon whispered and wrapped his arms around Wille’s neck.

“Okay, then what are we doing?” Wille whispered, his arms wrapping around Simon’s waist.

“ ‘M giving you a hug,” Simon replied and squeezed Wille closer, allowing him to nuzzle his face in his neck.

“Why?” Wille’s breathed, causing a shiver down Simon’s spine.

“Because I want to. I kinda wanna hug you all the time.” Simon confessed and kissed Wille’s ear.

“You want to hug me all the time huh?” Wille pulled his face from Simon’s neck.

“Yep,” Simon moved off of Wille’s lap and stood, “Now let’s go.”

“Oh,” Wille stood too, surprised at the absence of Simon on his lap.

Simon smiled and gathered their things, handing Wille his then shouldering his own. Wille took Simon’s hand and allowed him to lead him out. Wille took a deep breath and focused on Simon’s hold on his hand and tried his best to calm himself.

Chapter 19: Brother

Summary:

Simon meets Erik for the first time, which comes with a whole new set of nerves and self-doubt.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Wille wiped his sweat as he finally finished cleaning the apartment. Erik was coming home. He was going to be Wille’s for the months of the summer. He hoped they would have the time to hang out a few times a week at least. Flora knew that Erik would be home, so she gave him the first week of his summer break to just relax and help his brother settle in. Wille had insisted on at least helping her prep in the morning, it didn’t make any sense for him to laze around when Erik was a late riser. Wille would be gone and back before Erik even stirred in the morning so he didn’t see why he couldn’t at least help out a bit. Flora appreciated it of course so that she would send him off early with a warm, fluffy loaf of freshly baked bread.

That loaf had been sliced precisely by Wille and placed at the center of the dining table where meals were missed or ignored. Erik loved Flora’s bread, from the first time that Wille brought home the loaf, his older brother was hooked. He’d ask every single day if Wille brought any home, and Wille would have to disappoint him by telling him no. When Flora caught wind of the older boy’s love for her bread, she made sure to send Wille home with a loaf whenever she knew they’d be home together. Before Wille had left for the day, Flora made him promise to come to her house so that she could feed them both, and Simon of course. Wille had thought that was the best chance for Erik to meet Simon. Simon was familiar with Flora and more familiar to her home than Wille’s so Wille figured it’d be a good time for them to meet.

Wille had asked to have dinner at Flora’s, she was used to her guests being there for lunch and then leaving before the sun went down but Simon was working and wouldn’t be able to make it. Flora made an exception. It was a good thing though, Wille knew that Erik would be tired when he came home. He didn’t go to school very far but the combination of his luggage and public transport was means to an exhausting day. Wille had spent the rest of his morning after work, cleaning the apartment. He knew their parents were away for work but he wanted Erik to come back to a place that smelled cleaner than it ever had. He had even picked up some cheeses and jams for them to eat with the bread. Simon had been the one to advise him. It had been a funny image, a lost boy in the grocery store talking to his boyfriend on a video call, who was playfully scolding him about the combinations he had suggested. Luckily, it had worked out as smoothly as it could have and Wille made it home in time.

Wille now needed to shower, get dressed and then meet his brother at the train station which was a twenty-minute bus ride away. He promised his older brother that they would take a taxi home together once they found each other. Erik was relieved that he wouldn’t have to take a bus on top of the train ride, but told Wille he didn’t have to worry about meeting him, he could manage the taxi on his own. Wille insisted, for his own selfish reasons. Of course, he’d never admit it but he was excited to see his brother and wanted to be there when he arrived back in their hometown. He knew it’d be worth it to at least share a car ride on the way home, knowing that Erik wanted to spend some time alone as he had complained about his homebody roommate constantly.

And so, Wille went to shower. Once he got out, he combed his fingers through his hair, seeing just how long it was getting, and started to think if he should cut it for the summer. He took another glance in the mirror, taking note that he should ask Simon before he did anything with his hair. Simon loved his hair, or rather playing with it, so it would be a decision that they both made. Wille dried his hair as much as he could with his towel then dressed in a simple outfit, jeans, a t-shirt, and a slightly oversized flannel. It was a cooler day, as they were still amongst the spring weather more than the summer. He made sure to put on his necessary cologne and found his sunglasses before he headed off to catch the bus.

W: On my way to get Erik…

S: Be safe :)

W: Okay.

W: Are you nervous to meet him?

S: Yes.

W: It’ll be okay, I promise.

W: He’ll love you.

S: Mhm, and if he doesn’t?

W: He will.

S: Fine.

W: We’ll see you after work.

S: Mm…

W: I love you, Simon.

S: Me too, Wilhelm.

Wille smiled at his phone, locking it and sliding it onto his pocket while he stepped on the bus. He scanned his card and found a seat. He was surprised there were any seats, to begin with, classes were all out for the schools in the surrounding area and the weather was nice. He figured that the students would be heading out toward the city so that they could spend their days shopping and eating overpriced foods. He was glad that he had just missed the rush or maybe got on just before. The ride to the train station was brief but it felt much longer, Wille was too anxious about missing the stop so he only stared out the window in anticipation. He got off at the train station and checked the time, he was early. He found where the train Erik was on would arrive and sat down.

Simon had calmed Wille’s nerves when it came to Erik meeting Simon but now that Simon wasn’t there, Wille was all in his head. He put on a brave face, of course, Simon had been slowly getting more and more nervous about the meeting so Wille knew that he had to be the one confident in their meeting. Simon had tried to play it off that he was just nervous to meet another handsome blonde guy but he was truly worried about what would happen if Erik disliked him. He wondered if his opinion would be enough to change Wille’s mind about his relationship with him. Wille had promised that Erik doesn’t have that much influence on his decisions, but Simon had his doubts though they weren’t quite as strong as he thought they’d be. He was still anxious, meeting new people was nerve-wracking already but meeting the person his boyfriend has loved his entire life, was a new level of terrifying.

Simon had gone into work an anxious mess. Lukas was scheduled to work with him, which meant that his girlfriend would be there too. Simon didn’t know if that would help or not. As his shift progressed, he was glad that Lukas was distracted by his girlfriend in the backroom rather than attempting to talk to Simon the entire shift. Luckily there were only two hours of overlap on their shifts, Lukas had opened and Simon was meant to close. The bookstore had shifted into summer hours which meant that it closed two hours earlier. It was detrimental to his paycheck, but Simon was happy to be out of work in time for dinner. Though most days, he’d have to cover Lukas’ shift for him which made up the difference each week. Talking to Wille on the phone, instructing him (and teasing him) about different jams and cheeses eased his nerves a lot. Though just seeing Wille helped with that. They had just missed each other that morning, Simon was scheduled to go in during the mid-morning so Wille was already back home and in a cleaning frenzy.

Simon was glad that he wouldn’t have to go so far in order to see Wille. Flora’s place had been opened to him and Wille for a while now and being invited to dinner was a common occurrence though it wasn’t usually so formal. Most nights, Wille and Simon would be resting in the bedroom they had claimed, reading together and Flora would call them for dinner. It was actually quite sweet, Flora seemed to be in a much better mood lately and Simon hoped it was because of his and Wille’s presence in her home. The familiar space would be to his benefit when it came to meeting Erik, Wille knew that and made sure to arrange the more formal feeling dinner there. A public place would have made Simon more anxious and knowing that Wille knew that, made him love him even more. Once the bookstore was tidied, there had only been three separate patrons of the store, Simon moved to lock up. He figured it’d be safe to lock up a bit early so that he had time to change.

Flora had suggested that bring a change of clothes so that he could shower and feel his best when he met Eirk. Simon could have kissed her when he heard the suggestion, he would have if they hadn’t been on the phone at the time. He settled in just calling her a genius and making an over-the-top kissing sound over the phone. Flora had only laughed in response and hung up. Simon had done what she suggested and so he grabbed his bag, locked the door of the bookstore, and rushed across the street to get prepared. When he arrived at the woman’s apartment, she was in the kitchen making the dinner that would be served. Simon rushed to her and kissed her cheek.

“Hi Flora,” He said sweetly and looked over her shoulder at the food. “That looks so good.”

“Thank you mi amor,” She hummed back and stirred the dark brown sauce, “it’s molé.”

“Oh, I’ve never had it. I can’t wait.” Simon started to salivate as he looked at the food.

“Hmm good, now go ahead and wash up, you smell like books.” Flora laughed and swatted the boy’s hand away from the food.

Simon nodded and moved toward to bathroom, he showered himself thoroughly and dried his hair with Flora’s outdated hairdryer. He finger-curled each of his drying locks and then added his products to them. Then he went to get dressed, he had picked out two outfits with Sara, a T-shirt and some shorts, or a sweater and his favorite pair of jeans. He didn’t know the dress code of the event but Flora was wearing one of her nice dresses and Wille was a naturally well-dressed person, it could be assumed he got his fashion sense from his brother. Simon opted for the t-shirt but chose to wear the jeans with them, which was the best of both his options, he then put on a cologne that Wille had bought him. He then went to the kitchen and asked Flora her opinion, asking her to smell the scent he had sprayed on his wrists.

When she approved, Simon sat at the kitchen table with a sigh. Flora turned off the stove, meaning she was done cooking, and turned to look at Simon. Simon looked back at her with an exaggerated look of fear and Flora only laughed and fixed some of his curls for him. Simon leaned into her affection and then motioned that she still had her cooking apron on. Flora thanked him and hung it up, moving to the hallway mirror and checking her own dyed brown curls. Simon checked his phone and chewed on his lip, he was tracking Wille and he was at his apartment. He wondered if Wille was there with his brother. Suddenly they were moving and Simon sucked in a breath, Wille was meant to text him when they were on their way. He had texted.

W: On the way
S: Okay

W: Still nervous?

S: Yea, but Flora is helping.

W: She has that kind of charm.

S: Oh I know…

S: How was it seeing your brother again?

W: It was good, I missed him a lot.

S: Did you tell him that?

W: Of course not.

Simon laughed at his phone and settled back into his chair. He promised himself not to look at his phone, he’d track Wille if he did. Instead, he stood and looked at the food that sat on the stove. Flora had put the chicken she cooked into the molé sauce she made and there was a big steaming pot of freshly made rice right next to the sauce. He figured that the least he could do, for Flora and to pass the time, was to set the table. He carefully found the perfect set of four plates and set them down at each of the placemats on the table. He set out forks and knives onto the perfectly folded cloth napkins Flora had. Flora had reentered and was helping him by handing him the right glasses for them to drink.

“Are they almost here?” Flora asked, prompting Simon to check Wille’s location.

“Oh, they are,” Simon caught himself smiling.

“Okay, then help me set out the drinks.” Flora motioned for Simon to fill a pitcher with ice and water.

Simon obliged and watched Flora as she set out a bottle of sparkling soda and some lemonade in its own pitcher. She then filled the glasses on the table with ice and arranged them all to sit in the center of the table. Simon floated around the doorway that lead to the main hallway, he was nervously waiting for Wille. They hadn’t seen each other in a few days, which made him more excited. He was hoping his excitement would trump his nerves. Flora joined him in the hallway and held his hand, hoping that it would be enough for him to be settled. Then a knock at the door, they both squeezed each other’s hand but for very different reasons.

Flora let go of Simon’s hand and went to open the door. Suddenly the room burst with light, Wille was leading with a bright smile and his brother carried the same grin. Oh wow. Simon swallowed hard, suddenly much more overwhelmed. Wille had always made him nervous, even after months of dating, his presence was an eye-catcher and it made Simon worry, he hated any attention and Wille seemed to be a magnet. Erik had that same ability, he was loveable but Simon could tell that he was much louder and brighter than Wille ever was, as if Wille could attempt to have that law of attraction his brother had naturally. Simon wrapped his arms around himself and watched Wille greet Flora, then Erik. They both planted a loud kiss on her cheek and made her laugh. Wille then looked at Simon, who seemed to be attempting to disappear into the kitchen. Erik was still talking to Flora and Flora was touching his face and shoulder, most likely commenting on how much he had grown or how little he seemed to have eaten while at school.

“Hi,” Wille whispered, “You okay?”

“Hi,” Simon hugged himself tighter, “I dunno…”

“Okay, want to take a break?” Wille offered.

Simon shook his head, taking in a slow breath when he felt Wille’s hands running up and down his arms. His eyes shut when the blonde rested his forehead on Simon’s. Wille pulled Simon’s hands to his chest and let him follow the pace of each of his breaths. Simon nodded softly and matched his breathing, tipping his chin up to peck Wille’s lips before pulling away. His breath hitched and he felt that if he looked at Wille for too long, he’d begin to cry. He couldn’t explain why but he knew he had to avoid crying. Flora’s voice came back into range for Simon and suddenly he turned toward where she stood with Erik.

“Erik, hi.” Simon sucked in a breath and grinned.

“Simon! The infamous Simon!” Erik exclaimed and opened his arms to hug Simon.

Simon’s jaw tightened a bit but he still reached toward Erik and accepted the brief embrace. Erik laughed at how quickly Simon pulled away and clapped his shoulder twice. Erik then walked past him, leading everyone into the kitchen. Simon chewed on his lip and followed behind him. He avoided Wille’s searching eyes, knowing he’d burst into tears if he locked eyes with Wille. Simon went to the stove and helped Flora serve dinner onto the plates that were set out, Wille poured everyone’s choices in drinks. Erik waited until everyone had settled at the table and were all eating to begin talking again, He started by sharing the stories of what he and his uni friends had been up to when they weren’t busy with classes. But it quickly became him asking Simon questions.

“How did you two meet?” “What made you like my little brother?” “How long have you been dating?” “Does he treat you well?” and what felt like a million more.

“Erik, please. You’re bombarding him.” Wille begged softly by the end of the questions.

“Uhm, we met when we accidentally bumped into each other twice. I had gone to Flora’s for some bread for our fall break from school, it was the second time that we actually looked at each other.” Simon looked down at his still nearly untouched plate.

“Was it love at first sight?” Erik smiled widely.

“You could say that.” Simon pressed his lips together and a smile pulled at them, “For Wille at least.”

“Oh?” Erik looked at his brother with a breathy laugh escaping.

“Awh, Simme,” Wille laughed.

“I won’t ever forget how he looked at me,” Simon felt all the butterflies he had had that first day all over again.

“He was in love from the moment he saw Simon,” Flora added, “He didn’t stop smiling after they spoke to each other.”

“How did he look at you?” Erik quirked a brow.

“Oh, his eyes were wide, as if he hadn’t ever seen another person before…”

“Well, no one as beautiful as you,” Wille interrupted and Simon rolled his eyes.

“And he tripped over his words a lot but he had…such a bright smile. Even when he had made me drop all of my bread, he still smiled so widely. I hadn’t ever seen anyone…like that.” Simon’s eyes were distant but he was smiling, as if he was speaking only to himself.

“Seemed like it was love at first sight for you too,” Erik teased and Simon laughed in acceptance.

“It was definitely curiosity. He could’ve been the most pretty boy I had ever seen but I needed to get to know him before I could know that I love him.” Simon sipped his drink, glancing at Wille, different tears threatening.

“So how long have you been dating?” Erik asked.
“Nearly seven months, in about a week or two,” Wille answered.

“And when did you say ‘I love you’ then?” Erik asked.

“Oh uh, in May, on my birthday,” Simon whispered, smiling at the memory.

“Five months? Not too bad.” Erik laughed and sipped his drink, he and Flora had switched to white wine.

“We weren’t in a rush,” Simon shrugged.

“We have all our lives to say it,” Wille smiled.

Simon nearly choked on his drink, coughing into a laugh. He found Wille so cheesy sometimes, but he had to admit it was one of his favorite things about Wille. Wille’s cheeks warmed and he laughed shyly as Erik teased him and ruffled his hair. Simon laughed and reached toward Wille and squeezed his hand. He knew that they had all their lives together, and he was glad to know that Wille felt the same way. Wille lifted his hand to his lips and kissed it, causing Simon’s cheeks to warm as well. He wanted to kiss him, desperately, but he didn’t want to be rude. Plus he didn’t know if Erik was supportive or just tolerant. Wille could tell, Simon knew that, so Simon let him be the one to kiss him first. It was brief of course, but it still sent electricity through Simon. Simon smiled and rested his head on his free hand.

“So that answered your last question, Erik,” Flora motioned toward the two boys, the stars in their eyes as they looked at each other.

“So it does,” Erik smiled and stood, “Why don’t we let those two relax together and I’ll help you clean up.”

“Oh, I am not lifting a finger unless it’s to eat my own desserts.” Flora laughed.

“Fair enough!” Erik went toward the sink with all their dishes.

“I’ll wash up, you all go ahead and rest up,” Wille spoke up, kissing Simon’s cheek before rushing to take the dishes from his brother.

“I’ll help,” Simon started.

Simon wanted to be alone with Wille for at least a bit of the night but Erik quickly grinned and went to hook an arm around his neck.

“No, no, I still have some questions. Wilhelm, may I steal him for a bit?” Erik waited for Wille to awkwardly nod before leading Simon to the living room.

Simon and Wille shared a look just as Simon turned the corner out of the kitchen with Erik. Luckily, Erik was more into a gossip session than interrogating Simon. He wanted to know about their first date, the first kiss, the moment Simon knew he loved Wille. He claimed that Wille didn’t tell him anything in detail, just the summary of what was going on in his life. So Erik asked about Simon’s family, which he only shared consisted of his sister and mom, Erik didn’t ask about his father. They talked about how Simon spoke Spanish and Erik told him about someone from Spain he had liked and attempted to learn Spanish for but had miserably failed.

Simon was much more at ease with Erik, he seemed to have no motive besides getting to know Simon as well as he was allowed to. The conversation was easy enough, Erik was a natural at filling the air. His talkative must not have bled into Wille. Wille always just spoke enough, never the kind to go into a story or tangents at any random time. He spoke the perfect amount for Simon’s liking. He was a natural flirt, but he wasn’t one to speak when it wasn’t necessary, Simon cherished that. It allowed them to have a certain sort of comfortable silence between them, neither of them feeling that it was important to always talk. Simon didn’t dislike that Erik talked so much, he was just aware that he didn’t have to speak as much, which he liked. Speaking less means less of a risk of saying something silly or embarrassing, which he needed to avoid until Wille returned.

Wille didn’t take long and when he was finished, he sank into the couch next to Simon. Simon felt his arm wrap around his waist and his hand rested at his hip. Simon cleared his throat and adjusted to lean into Wille more naturally, his hand on Wille’s knee. Wille smiled, naturally asking what they were talking about. When Erik jokingly huffed and told him that he was in the middle of a story, Wille only laughed and told him to start the story again. Now there was another person to listen to Erik’s stories, Flora had retired to her room quickly after the stories began; not that they were uninteresting, but Simon always struggled to pay attention to long-winded tales unless they were on paper. He was sure that Wille was used to how long his brother spoke, he seemed engaged the entire time, laughing when Erik did.

Once Simon yawned into Wille’s shoulder, Erik called it a night. Simon apologized, laughing shyly as he explained he had basically opened and closed the bookstore that day. Erik insisted he didn’t apologize, saying it was very late even for him. Wille and Simon stood, now it was time for Wille to figure out where he wanted to sleep, at Flora’s with Simon or at home with his brother. Simon insisted that it was okay if he wanted to head home with his brother, but Erik knew his brother and told him to stay there, that he could make it home on his own. Wille politely made sure that he actually would be which only earned him an eye roll and the ruffling of his hair from Erik. Wille just laughed it off and hugged his brother goodnight, telling him they’d make plans for the next day tomorrow morning.

With the shutting of the door, Simon slumped against the wall. He was exhausted, not just from the late night. Simon sighed and hung his head down, resting his hands on his thighs. Wille shuffled over and reached out for Simon, not knowing if he was too overstimulated to be touched. Simon took his hand and straightened, his eyes meeting Wille’s and begging him to just go to bed. Wille nodded and lead Simon into the bathroom, they both silently brushed their teeth and leaned against the counter. They then went into their bedroom, Wille pulled out some of Flora’s son’s clothes and stepped toward Simon who was blinking slowly. Wille slid his hands up Simon’s t-shirt, making him let out a breath and tip his head back. Wille planted a kiss on his newly exposed neck and pulled off his shirt, replacing it with a long-sleeved shirt that had a conserved smell of Flora.

Simon leaned into Wille and pressed his cheek to his. Wille nuzzled his nose against his cheek and helped him step out of his jeans. Wille’s hands found Simon’s bare skin again as Simon helped him take off his flannel and shirt too. Simon kissed Wille’s chest twice before getting a fresh shirt on Wille. Wille rocked away when Simon unbuttoned his jeans which made them both sleepily laugh. Simon, instead of attempting to help, laid down on their shared bed. Wille stepped out of his jeans and folded them into the drawer with the rest of their things then joined Simon in bed.

“Hmm, how are you feeling?” Wille whispered and kissed Simon’s nose.

“Fine, not bad, just tired,” Simon confessed.

“Yeah, Erik can be a lot.” Wille hummed and reached up to play a curl that sat on Simon’s forehead.

“He’s great, just way more extroverted than you.” Simon smiled, scooting closer.

“He loves talking and asking way too many questions. Were you okay when I was doing the dishes?”

“Mm, he did most of the talking which was good for me, or else I think I’d have to hibernate to really recuperate from all of this socializing.”

“Glad you don’t have to hibernate.” Wille paused, “Have I ever made you this overstimulated when we talk?”

“Uhm, yea,” Simon nodded, Wille pouted, “Don’t take it personally. It was only a few times, then I like fell in love with you or whatever so I can’t get enough of you now.”

“Oh looks who’s cheesy now.” Wille laughed.

Simon shook his head, wrapping his arms around Wille. Wille returned the affection and they looked at each other, as if only considering each other for the first time then they connected their lips. They locked them together repeatedly, at a slow and methodical pace. They pulled away after they were both desperate for breath again. Simon then reached up into Wille’s hair and guided his face to his neck. Wille nestled his face in the crook of his neck and Simon played with his hair. Simon stared at the wall as he thought about the day he had had and all the interactions between him and Erik. He mulled it over as he could tell Wille was slowly losing his fight against his sleepiness. He loved that Wille always tried and failed to stay up late with him.

“I understand now…” Simon whispered, kissing the shell of Wille’s ear.

“Hmm?” Wille was close to sleep.

“Why you love your brother so much,” Another kiss.

“You do?” Wille attempted to pull his face away from Simon’s neck but he was too comfortable.

“Yeah, and I can see how much of him you have in you.” Simon praised, “He raised you so well Wilhelm.”

“He did?” Simon laughed, knowing that that was the truth.

“Yeah, he did a good fucking job on you. And for that I’m grateful.” Simon confessed. “He shaped the perfect guy just for me.”

Wille laughed which tickled Simon and made him squirm a bit, “Oh, just for you?”

“Mhm, and all the other people in our life. You’re someone who loves endlessly, you’re kind and witty. It’s just an added bonus he wasn’t very good at helping you with your balance so you’re clumsy and kind of goofy sometimes.” Simon teased.

“Ohhhh, the flattery could only last so long.”

“That was still flattery, want me to talk about your bad breath, claim he didn’t teach you how to brush properly.”

Wille playfully gasps and pulled away from Simon, making Simon giggle loudly. Wille breathily laughed and his eyes sparkled at watching Simon hold his side from the pain that his uncontrollable laughing brought. Simon gently hit his chest and leaned up to kiss him once again. Wille’s joyous tears spilled on Simon’s cheek and he pulled away.

“What’s wrong?”
“Nothing, nothing at all.”

“Then why the tears?”

“I just love you so much.”

“You do?”

“As if it’s not obvious.”

“From the first moment you saw me.”

“Shut up.”

“I love you too.”

“I know.”

“From the first moment I saw you.”

“I know that too.”

“Good.”

Notes:

A/N:

Ahhhhhhhh!!! Guys!!! Baker's Boy is finally back and I could not be happier! I hope that you accept this super long chapter as an apology for not updating this fic in like two months!

I was having trouble with how to maneuver Simon and Wille's anxieties about Simon meeting such an integral part of Wille's life. It's something that they both feel could make or break their relationship, for very different reasons. So I tried to portray that as well as I could while also not getting too carried away because trust me, I could talk and talk for pages just about how either of them experience their anxieties because they're so different and it's so fun to make it that complex.

I am happy with this third draft of this chapter, and I hope that you are too! I also hope that this invigorates my drive to write Baker's Boy but if not, stay tuned for many (and I mean it) one-shots! So if you haven't checked my other works, I would love your support over there as well as some love on my t4t wilmon au one-shot series.

Okay, I will shut up now, thank you if you're still reading all of my ramblings! I hope you have had a good past few weeks and can't wait to write some more!

Notes:

A/N:

HI! Thanks for reading my AU! I hope that you will enjoy what I'm writing! I don't have a set schedule in place for uploads but I usually upload as often as I can (which is usually at the end of the week and at, like, 2 am EST)! I also have a collection of Wilmon one-shots titled "Moments of You & I"!

I have a Twitter where I update a thread of my uploads for this AU so if you'd like to be mentioned each time I upload follow me @dazedilemma and message me! If you just want to be mutuals, I always follow back!