Actions

Work Header

Baker's Boy

Summary:

Wilhelm is unextraordinary, at least in his own mind. All he cares for is his older brother Erik, baking, and the owner of the bakery, Flora. He's a romantic, and not in the way most people defined themselves. Rather he finds himself inventing the stories of the people who come through the bakery. He likes seeing the happiness in each and every person. He is obsessed with love, and he has a love for each of the people in his life (which aren't many).

Simon is the opposite, a quiet person who seems to dislike everyone. He's disconnected from every person he interacts with, even his friends. He is chasing a connection he's unsure exists. He doesn't believe a person could ever know him fully, he's changing too often and too closed off. He keeps secrets from each person he was close to. There is always a small part of him that he keeps just for himself with each of them.

The two work opposite of each other, Wille in Flora's, a bakery he adored. Simon in a bookstore where the owner rarely shows up let alone knows what happens in the store, just across the street. When Flora decides to bring some bread to Simon at the end of his last shift before the holidays, it makes the two come together for the first time.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Wille the Baker

Summary:

"But his love wasn't so black and white, it was grey. He loved her because she was the bakery and the bakery was her. She was as warm as it was in the cold seasons and as fiery as it was in the heat. It was impossible not to love the person he spent many of his hours with."

Chapter Text

Wilhelm was not an outstanding person, at least in his own eyes. He kept to himself and he hated people his age more than he liked them. What he liked was baking. He understood how weird that made him. He was weird and he understood that, and everyone around him hadn’t told him otherwise. But he wasn’t outstanding. Not even in baking, especially not in baking. He was average at best. He wasn’t ever going to be an outstanding baker that won awards for his bread, or whatever a baker considered an accomplishment.

He just liked baking. It relaxed him. And it was quiet. Oh was the bakery so quiet, always nearly deserted beside himself and the stout older woman who owned the bakery. It was just far enough from his school that rarely any students would visit after school. He was safe there, It was warm in the winter and fall and way too fucking hot in the summer but he didn’t mind it. Flora, the woman who ran the bakery, had whipped him into shape when he had complained his first summer working at the bakery.

“Wille, do not start with me. I have more flesh on my right arm than you do on your entire body.” She scolded, but Wille couldn’t help but laugh.

“This body is hard to lug around and you find it funny?” She had continued but she was smiling.

“This body is beautiful Ms. Flora.” Wille teased affectionately and hugged her, “You got it from your love for baking. A great baker must taste their work!"

“Yes and the three children that came from it.” She had gently pushed him off, it had been too hot for a hug, “And somehow I have a fourth child here at work.”

“Ms. Flora, you were the one who hired me.” Wille smiled and wiped the sweat on his sleeve.

“Yes, well I thought you’d be better than those damn kids of mine,” Flora complained as she walked back toward the wall of freshly baked cookies.

“Awh, Ms. Flora, you’re breaking my heart!” Wille laughed as Flora waved him off and rolled her eyes.

Now that it was his second winter, Ms. Flora had learned to love Wille for his hard work. He had learned to love her for her intolerance for complaints as she complained every moment he spent with her in the bakery. Wille liked the winter the most, the Earth was covered in white and everyone seemed to be walking closer to each other. Maybe because the cold was an excuse for them to huddle closer to the people they loved, he didn’t care, he found it beautiful. Winter was also the best time for business.

The bakery that was simply named ‘Flora’s’ was found on a small walkable street. It brought people of all ages to it, the warm lights, the stout woman who always seemed to have a smile to offer, and the young student who seemed to be too handsome to be shy. Families with small children would come in for Ms. Flora’s freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. University students would come for last-minute birthday cakes that Wille was only trusted to carefully inscribe with a message.

Older mothers who had become grandmothers would come for the fresh bread. They would shower Wille with compliments since he had started working. If there hadn’t been a counter between them, Wille was convinced they’d pinch his cheeks too hard and try to get him set up with their grandchildren.

Wille loved the winter because he could feel the small bouts of human happiness in each person who entered and eventually left. How the university students would laugh and bicker about what flavor was their friend’s favorite. Or a child asking for one more cookie, and the way they would light up when Wille would give them one without ringing them up.

Of course that came with a cost, Flora would give him a sharp look and then take it out of his pay without warning. He had learned after the second time that it wasn’t something he’d get fired for so he continued. Two dollars from his paycheck was worth the bright smile.

Flora seemed to be at her kindest in the winter, maybe for the same reasons that Wille was. He had seen how she touched her wedding ring each time she saw an older couple walk in together. She would smile if they had any ounce of youth within them. She would send them off with an extra loaf of bread or maybe a pastry she had made just for the season.

Wille didn't dare to joke about her kindness coming out of her paycheck, she didn't even have one, to begin with. He would only smile and she would smile back. He liked winter because of how warm it made people, maybe staying warm had started out of survival but it had turned into something more, something richer than just physical survival.

Maybe he also liked winter because none of the kids from his school dared to walk home from school. He liked being the only student to leave on foot. He would change in the back every day and put on a sweater that fit the sky that day and his apron. Flora had noticed he'd matched himself with the sky his first winter working there. She found him beautiful for it. How did a sixteen-year-old boy learn to focus on such small details?

"You are something Wilhelm," She had told him.

Wilhelm hadn't known that she had noticed his harmless habit so he gave her a confused smile. She shook her head and the thought went with it. Wille had just shrugged it off that day.

"You are something too, Ms. Flora" Wille had said because she really was.

The two had built a bond that was unspoken respect and adoration. Wille loved Flora, the same way she loved him. He loved that she would scold him like he were her flesh and blood and he would be able to act like the child he still was with her even at seventeen.

She would tug the ties to his apron and undo them whenever she'd pass by him, laughing at him when he'd whine but end up laughing with her. He would smother her the way he knew the grandmother customers wanted him to with them.

"You are such a nuisance" Flora would attempt to push him off, but of course, she was very gentle. Her kids had all outgrown her home that was just upstairs and Wille reminded her of her youngest.

"You love me Ms. Flora" Would be all Wille would be able to manage before Ms. Flora would pull away and nod ever so slightly while telling him to get back to work.

Wille was happy there, at 'Flora's' with her. He would stay late just to make sure that the showing cases were pristine even when Flora had gone up to her home and left him to clean up after closing. He appreciated the trust she had put in him after just a bit over a year old working there.

It was his last day before his few days off for the holidays. He could hear Flora come down the stairs as he was putting his apron away. She had already changed into what he could only assume to be what she slept in. It was unlike her very put-together outfits he'd seen her in.

"Wille, honey, don't forget to take a few loaves of bread home to your family." She had been clearly worried he had left, she was wearing an expression of relief.

"Yes, Ma'am. What can I take?" Wille asked, moving toward the front of the store.

"Ah, just let me pack them for you. Get bundled up, it'll be cold at this time of the evening." Flora pushed him back toward the back room, causing him to smile.

"Yes, Ma'am." Wille smiles wider and put on his coat and scarf before meeting Flora at the front of the store.

She had packed a full bag of some bread she had baked that morning. The bag contained bread he knew to slice and use for toast, some dinner rolls for the holiday dinners they'd have, and some pastries to eat that evening. She tied the bag and pressed it into Wille's arms. It was all still warm.

"Thank you, Ms. Flora." Wille smiles at her, hugging the bag closer.

The young boy kissed the older woman on the cheek and they both smiled.

"Don't crush the bread, or the heat will escape." Flora scolded and Wille immediately loosened his hold.

"Happy Holidays Ms. Flora," Wille whispered and Flora nodded, tucking an envelope into his coat pocket.

"Go, your mama is expecting you." Flora says, "Happy Holidays Wilhelm."

Wille nodded and waved as he walked out of the bakery. He took a deep breath as he stepped outside but the cold breath made him cough. He laughed it off though the street was deserted at that time of the evening. He put on his headphones as he walked home.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Just as Flora had told him, Wille's family had been waiting for him. His older brother Erik was home from university and both his parents were home from work. He took off his coat and scarf before his mother heard him.

"Welcome home Wille" She smiled and helped him with the bag of bread.

"Hi mama, Ms. Flora sends her love." He says as he slipped off his shoes. "Or rather her bread."

"Tell her thank you" Wille's mama caressed his cheek and he leaned into her touch.

"Oh, you're freezing. Go ahead and sit with your brother, dinner will be ready." His mama turned and walked the narrow hallway toward the kitchen.

"Mama," Wille called, his mom turned, "There are some pastries in there that she expects us to eat after dinner tonight."

She smiled and nodded, "of course, I'll prepare them."

Wille nodded and went into the living room where his brother was reading. Erik looked up when Wille sat down on the couch with a soft thud.

"Welcome back Wille." Erik smiled handsomely.

Wille knew that if the older regulars of the bakery ever set their eyes on his brother, they'd forget all about him. They'd start to ask Wille about his brother, how he was doing in university. And his brother would enable it, he was a charmer, almost prince-like especially with grandmothers.

Wille smiled, "I should be saying that. How's school been?"

"Mm, not horrible nor amazing. Just busy." Erik had shut his book and set it down. "What about you?"

"Um, the same. Not horrible, nor amazing." Wille says.

"Any new friends?" Erik asked, resting his arm along the back of the couch as he leaned back.

"I would need old friends to have new ones," Wille mumbled and fidgeted, his thumbnail between his teeth.

"Wille, stop it with that." Wille and Erik's father had entered the living room.

"Hello to you too Papa" Wille sighed and pulled his thumbnail from his teeth.

"Wilhelm, that attitude isn't appreciated." His father said back.

"Mm," Wille hummed and leaned against his brother who ruffled his long blond hair a bit.

"Boys, dinner is ready." Their mother had come from the kitchen.

"Coming." The brothers said in unison and both got up, passing their father to go into the dining room.

They sat down, Erik calmly served everyone their dinners as Wille poured them all some water to have with it. Their parents softly thanked them for each act then they sat together in silence. The room was only filled with some scrapes of their forks and accidental taps of glass hitting a ceramic plate.

"Mm, how was work, Wille?" His mother asked as she wiped her lips on the cloth napkin she had.

"It was okay," Wille smiles, "There was a girl-"

"A girl from school?" His father cut him off.

"No, a little girl Papa," Wille glanced at his father, "She came in with her parents and she had her hair tied up with two red bows. She was quiet but sweet, and only wanted one cookie. Her little brother was asleep but she made sure he'd have something to eat later."

Wille knew that his parents wouldn't understand why he felt the need to share the story, but Erik smiled and nodded. The brothers seemed to have the same love for the little things that humans did. Maybe they had both somehow learned to romanticize human behavior and Wille was glad they had.

"Sounds lovely, and Flora? How is she?" Their mother asked as she cut the tender chicken she had baked.

"Mm she's good, apparently she's going to her oldest's for the holidays." Wille was glad he at least knew Flora wouldn't be alone during the cold days the bakery was closed.

"That's lovely." His mother smiled.

The rest of the dinner was quiet. Wille would look at his brother who had begun reading as he ate. He wondered what he was reading. He didn't bother to ask Erik, now that he was in university he might start a conversation that Wille didn't have the capacity to finish.

*-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-* *-*

Once dinner was eaten Wille stood up, he was determined to be the one to prepare the dessert. Meanwhile, Erik took up the plates and started to wash them. Their parents stayed in the dining room.

"What are you reading?" Wille asked without looking at his brother, he was readying the oven.

"Mm, Shakespeare. Not sure why, but I guess this kind of literature is important." Erik shrugged.

"I guess if you want to be a snob. Do you like it?" Wille asked as he turned.

Erik just shrugged so Wille took up one of the plates Erik had just washed and began to dry it. Erik smiled a little and turned off the water, drying his hands.

"I do." He admitted. "Guess that makes me a snob."

Wille laughed a little and shook his head as he continued to dry the plates. Just as he finished, the oven went off and he went to put the pastries in to warm up. He made sure they didn't dry out then plated the now-warmed desserts.

Erik has been standing, leaning against the counter reading as Wille worked on the pastries. Wille walked the plate of dessert out to the dining room and Erik followed with small plates. The two served their parents and then sat down. Their parents had begun returning emails for work so they just ate, again, in silence.

Wille had been excused to his room, and Erik said he was willing to clean up. Wille laid down on his bed and sighed. He lay on his stomach and stared at the wall as the clothes he was wearing smelled like bread. He missed the bakery already. His home life wasn't awful but he'd take Flora's complaining over the silence of his family.

Wille had figured out his family, his father was nothing extraordinary, like him. He went to work, helped pay the bills with that work, and spoke very little but just enough to scold Wille or tell him what to do. His mama was similar, she spoke more, at least pretended to care. Maybe she truly did, even if she didn't, she put on a more convincing act than his father.

Erik was Wille's first muse. Maybe that's why Wille had grown up finding the beauty in each person he had never interacted with. Maybe it was because of Erik that Wille had given each regular a story and adjusted it each time they told him about themselves.

Erik was the reason for Wille's curiosity, he was his first love and Flora was his current love. Wille wondered if he'd ever have a next love or would be forced to only love Flora until the world took her from him. He didn't want to lose her, for fear he's never found another love. Or maybe it was because he was her love too.

He knew it was weird to consider an older woman who loved him as if he were her child as his current love. But his love wasn't so black and white, it was grey. He loved her because she was the bakery and the bakery was her. She was as warm as it was in the cold seasons and as fiery as it was in the heat. It was impossible not to love the person he spent many of his hours with.

Wille started to fall asleep to the thought of Flora. He curled into himself as he felt Erik pull his blankets over him. Wille figured he'd just sleep in his grey sweater that wafted warm bread into his nose, he didn't want to rid himself of the feeling the bakery gave him. It would be a couple of days too long before he'd be able to return and he was already missing it.