Actions

Work Header

i dont wanna feel how i did last night

Summary:

Simon finds himself at one of Stockholm's liveliest nightclubs when his friends drag him out of the house after his recent breakup. However, after some alcohol consumption, Simon stumbles into a drunken relationship with the crown prince of Sweden. Their secret love affair is then threatened to be revealed by someone in Simon's past, and the two have to manage that and the Queen of Sweden

or

Inebriated Simon scores himself a total hottie.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: drunken kisses

Chapter Text

The stuffy concoction of alcohol, cramped bodies, and strobe lights left a distinctly sharp burn in the back of Simon’s throat, much akin to that of hard liquor. Although not much of a drinker, he found himself at the bar of Stockholm’s largest nightclub far from small-town Bjärstad. Simon had recently been cheated on by his now ex-boyfriend, Marcus, and his friends decided it would be best for him to have a change of scene and perhaps, even ignite a new romance. Simon had vehemently forbidden himself from even considering the latter but ultimately, capitulated to the former as he did like the idea of dressing up, eyeliner and all. He wished to end the cycle of crying himself to sleep in crusty sweats. Though he knew he was decently attractive and thought himself to be a decent person, Marcus’s betrayal of their simplest form of trust had crushed him. Simon wasn’t enough; he was stripped of his security, and that acknowledgment made everything empty, made him empty.
As if sensing his increasingly depressive thoughts, Ayub tugged on his friend’s arm.

“Hey, that guy has been ogling at you all night!”

“Huh?”

“That guy in the suit over there.”

“Yeah right? Can’t we at least be a tad realistic?” Simon’s voice was laced with self-deprecation.

“Come on, Simon. He is staring at you right now!” Rosh cut in.

“I’m not here for this!”

“But you can be…” Ayub waggled his brows.

“I’m going to need a drink..” Simon groaned.


Except a drink turned into two which turned into four, six, eight… until the boy drank enough that he lost count.

“I am not!” Simon coughed, “I’m not…I’m not drunk!”

“Maybe it’s time to go home, dude…” Ayub could hear his friend’s obvious slurring.

“I want to dance!!”

Before his friends could stop him, Simon, now running like a toddler, stumbled onto the dance floor, falling into the arms of none other than the literal crown prince of Sweden. However, drunk Simon, who at this point could barely even remember his own name, ignored- or rather forgot- this fact.

Giggling, Simon shouted, “Aren’t you quite lavishly dressed for a nightclub, princey?”, his drunkenness clearly apparent.

Wilhelm visibly stiffened at the jab.

“Princey?”

“You look… I don’t know… posh?” He offered, “like… a prince I guess…”

He chuckled, mostly calm as he had confirmation that he had yet to be recognized.

“Are you alright?” Wilhelm flashed the boy a worried smile as even though he too indulged in alcohol, it was clear that the smaller boy was far more intoxicated.

“Never been better!”

Wilhelm cocked his head, but before he could respond, Simon continued.

“Can’t say I’ve ever been in the arms of such a hottie!”

He almost pitied the boy, recalling the familiar sting of the embarrassment of drunken words.

“Oh, really now?” His cheeks tinged pink.

“Yes, really!”

“Well, in that case, I can’t say that I’ve ever held- as you so eloquently put it- ‘such a hottie’”, he teased Simon.

“Could we dance, then?”

“I’m not really much of a dancer”

“Just follow my lead; I’ll protect you!” Simon chuckled, “Wouldn’t want princey to fall, now would we?”

If only he knew, Willie thought as he felt some unusual reassurance in the inebriated stranger’s words. They seemingly hit some chord because, at this moment, he felt he would follow this boy to the end of the world. Chalking his uncharacteristically deep thoughts to the maudlin effects of booze, Wilhelm emulated Simon’s movements.


The two danced for what felt like hours. The energetic music and unfixed lighting created a haze over the two of them. It was only them as their hands lingered, tracing each other's necks, searching chests, and gripping biceps. Simon flipped between dancing against the prince and pulling him as close as humanly possible. Currently, he favored the latter as his neck lay in the crook of Wilhelm’s neck.

“Hey?” Wilhelm’s voice beckoned Simon out of his new favorite hideaway.

“Hi,” Simon croaked.

“It kind of feels a little late for introductions, but I’d love to know your name?”

“Simon…and you?”

“Wilhelm” He puffed, a trace of a smile tickled his lips.

“Well, Wilhelm?” Simon said as if testing the way his mouth formed the name, “Would you kiss me?”

Wilhelm’s breath hitched, but slowly he nodded. Unlike their dance, the two took their time, enjoying their embrace. They pulled into one another, Simon’s hands holding Willie’s shoulders while one of Willie’s hands held his waist and the other cupped his neck. Their foreheads met, and their eyes bounced as they scanned one another’s faces. Wilhelm’s eyes clearly flickered between holding Simon’s gaze and staring at the smaller boy’s lips. Simon kissed the tip of Willie’s nose before the prince finally closed the small distance between the two of them. As their lips interlocked, Willie and Simon finally forgot the true reasons why each of them even entered the club. At the present, the only thing on either of their minds was the wave of electricity passing between the two as if a metal wire connected them-their bond serving as a conductor.

Eventually, their tongues engaged, and hands continued to roam, exploring the other boy’s bodies, but when Willie has Simon pressed against a wall, the two silently decide to leave the club.

Wilhelm called for his driver and led the two into the matte, black car as the two headed for his nearby apartment.

“I hope you’re alright with staying at mine?” Willie proposes, just now realizing he never explicitly asked Simon.

“Absolutely, you goof.”


The nightclub’s charged energy all but dissipated when the two stepped foot into Willie’s apartment.
Simon looked around in astonishment.

“I knew you were posh!!”

Willie blushed and chose to disregard that statement.

“Let’s get you into some more comfortable clothes?” Willie asks with a sweatshirt and shorts in hand.

Something about Simon wearing his clothes crushed him though. It felt domestic. It felt real. It was something he could never have, but before he could fall too deeply into his thoughts, Simon pulled him onto his couch. The two exchange a few more soft, lingering kisses prior to falling asleep in each other's arms.

Chapter 2: morning after

Notes:

I wanted to give you all a little bit of a late Christmas present! Merry Christmas to all that celebrate and happy holidays! Here are our favorite dorks:

Chapter Text

Simon woke up in an unfamiliar bed, swallowed by a silky, white comforter. In scanning his surroundings, it was clear that someone had shared the spot beside him, evident by the rumpled sheets. Simon groaned inwardly. What had he done last night?

The door creaked open, drawing Simon’s attention forward. 

“Hey,” Willie offered shyly.

This was new. Typically, one-night stands would usher him out quickly and silently, but this boy was carrying a tray of food.

“Hey…is this breakfast in bed?” Simon chuckled. 

“Yeah,” Willie’s hand found its place behind his neck, “I figured you’d be feeling pretty shitty this morning.”

“Damn was I that bad last night?”


“I don’t know…I do remember that you kept calling me ‘such a hottie’, though”

Simon’s face paled. He was absolutely mortified.

“I am so so so so sorry…”

“No worries, I don’t believe that I was much better. Things are still decently foggy though” Willie’s hand flitted to his forehead as if he were physically trying to bat away the haze over his memories. 

“Did we…um?”

“No!” Willie quickie interjected.

“Sorry, I mean no…we only kissed,” the prince’s face was flushed.

“Wait a minute,” Simon blinked, “You look vaguely familiar?”

“Hmm?”

“What’s your name, again?” Simon’s face looked apologetic. 

“Wilhelm…” he sighed, fearing the inevitable. He loved what he could remember of the fantastical nature of last night. For once he wasn’t Crown Prince Wilhelm. He was Willie. 

“Shit like…Prince Wilhelm?”

“Yes…”

“Holy shit. I’m dead…I’m dead, aren’t I? I bet the royal court already has a warrant out for my arrest, or maybe they already have assassins on speed dial.”

Wilhelm coughed out a laugh completely unabashed. 

“Forgive me for laughing, but I assure you, we’re fine!”

“Whatever you say, your highness.” Simon winked.

“Let’s eat, before it gets cold?”

The two indulged in the assortment of food. Wilhelm’s platter consisted of fresh fruit, muesli, and two bowls of yogurt, and Simon was famished. 

“I can’t believe you made us breakfast.”
“Why’s that,” Willie chuckled.

“You don't have personal chefs to do that for you?”

“Hey! I can do a thing or two on my own,” Willie picked up a spoonful of yogurt, “Now hush and eat.”

He took the spoon and shoved it into Simon’s mouth, effectively shutting the smaller boy up. 


After fueling up, the two exchanged any blips of information they could remember from the night before. However, due to Wilhelm feeding Simon, just minutes prior,  the touch barrier was practically nonexistent as the two bumped elbows and grazed fingers. 

“So what does this mean for you?” Simon asked.

“What do you mean?”

“Well from what we recounted, I just shared a drunken romance with the supposed straight crown prince of Sweden?”

“Shit.” Wilhelm’s face drained.

Simon rubbed his back, sensing Wilhelms growing anxiety.

“Well…I'm not- I’m not straight.” His chest tightened. 

“Well obviously”

Wilhelm choked on his coffee.

“Too soon?”

He could only respond with a nod. 

“Come here, Willie.”

He placed his arms under the taller boy’s armpits and dragged him to sit in between his legs in his lap. He tangled his fingers in the boy’s long hair and drew circles in the boy's arms.  Willie bathed in the touch and leaned into Simon humming. 

“How are you holding up, darling?” Simon asked in a syrupy voice.

“I’m better, I think. Nervous about what even…what this means. My mom-”

“Hey…hey breathe.”

This was odd, Simon thought. Although he was still unclear on what exactly transpired between them the previous night, he felt bonded to the fragile boy in his arms. Said boy, though, was currently rubbing circles above his chest, struggling to keep his breath even. 

Simon propped Wilhelm up, turning him so that they met face-to-face. 

“Wilhelm…match my breathing, okay? Breathe in for four, out for seven.”

He still clearly found trouble, but the exercises appeared to be helping. 

“You’re doing great!”

Eventually, his face returned to its color, and his chest stilled to a steady rhythm.

“I’m sorry,” he croaked. 

“For what, darling?”

“I shouldn’t be so weak, especially in front of you… I can’t believe …I don’t understand why I can’t just be normal. Everyone else manages their shit and I-”

“Hey, we all struggle with something, and I’m happy to be here for you.”
Wilhelm all but fell back into Simon’s arms. 

“How did drunk Willie manage to find you?”

Simon chuckled, “I really should be the one asking.”

“What does this mean for us?”

“Hm?”

“I mean, I’d like to get to know you more, but-”

“I’d like to as well, Willie”, Simon smiled.

“But I come with so much baggage…my mom, the crown…”

“Let’s focus on us, then? We can establish this. Then, we can focus on everything else?”

“I- that sounds awesome”

“Yeah?”

“I’d really like to kiss you right now…”

“Go ahead, princey” Simon stuck his tongue out at him.

Wilhelm’s face grew hot at the dig as it drew him back to the events at the club. He took advantage of his opportunity and tilted the shorter boy’s face up to his. His body took command, recalling what his mind had forgotten. Their lips met and a stable rhythm was established nearly instantaneously. Everything felt right between the two. Their lips acted as twin pieces that finished a puzzle, yet they wanted more. Their kisses grew hungrier, and their hands explored. Wilhelm countered the growing tension by peppering Simon’s neck with kisses. 


“Wilhelm?” Simon calls out.

He seemed far too busy to hear Simon and continued his handiwork. 

“Wilhelm!”

This time he answered with a hum against Simon's throat, nearing the conjecture between it and his collarbones. 

“Darling!” Simon breathed.

“Yes?” Wilhelm mumbled.

“I- this is so distracting…”

“That’s the point, love?”

“I-I just remembered that I have plans today…”
“Reschedule?”

“Darling, I’ve had to get my shit together for a while now, otherwise I wouldn’t be interrupting us now…”

“Raincheck?” Willie tried one last time. 

Simon just laughed, placing his forehead on the prince’s. 

They stared into one another’s eyes until Wilhelm spoke.

“Could we text?”

“You’re gonna miss me that much?” Simon teased.

He looked up to meet the taller boy’s eyes and was met with so much adoration, he couldn’t resist.

Simon placed a kiss against his forehead, then nose before finally saying, “Y’know I’m going to miss you too?”

“Let’s get you home, then. Just let me get my driver.”

“Oh my…”

“What?” Willie tilted his head.

“Just forgot that you were the crown prince for a second.”

Willie laughed, feeling relieved that for once someone saw him past his title.

“Do you have everything?”

“I’m not sure what exactly I brought with me to the nightclub, but uh any chance that you’ve seen my phone?”

“Yes! I saw it this morning when I was getting breakfast; I have it on the counter for you if you want to follow me?”

“Sure thanks!” he lifted the covers

 “These are most definitely not my clothes,” Simon laughed.

“Oh…your clothes are probably in the other bathroom.”

“Okay, I’ll go ahead and change before we leave then?”
“Oh… I must’ve read you wrong.”

“Huh?”

“You totally seem like the type to steal his boyfriend’s clothes.”

“Boyfriends? Is that what we are now?”

“Oh…sorry I-”

“Shh...I was just teasing you!!”

The two collected Simon’s clothes and phone while Wilhelm called for Malin.


Simon’s face was still red from Wille’s goodbye kiss, leaving remnants of his presence even after the car had pulled away. He entered the front door of his shared apartment fully ready to nap and tackle some of the schoolwork he had neglected for the past week. 

“So plan on filling me in on what happened last night?” Ayub questioned.

He sat on the couch folding his arms like a parent waiting for their child after they broke curfew.

“Not now, Ayub. I literally just walked in!”

“Well, I did try texting you!”

Simon pulled out his phone, checking it now that he remembered its existence. 

“Fifty texts! Wtf”

“I was worried, but by the look on your face and your change of wardrobe, I’m willing to bet that you fared well.”

“I-”

“I want details, Simme!!”
“I need a nap.”

He ran out of the living room to set his clothes in his room. He knew that his university work would just have to wait because he was far too antsy for school, but he was far too mortified to step foot out of his room. He could text Willie . He just remembered the two’s conversation, and all too suddenly the heat returned to his cheeks. It felt unreal. The only true evidence of their encounter was the sweatshirt of Willie’s he currently wore. Though, one fact snapped him back into reality relatively quickly. They forgot to exchange numbers. He groaned loudly. Too loudly as he could hear Ayub shouting from the other room.

“Trouble in paradise?”
Simon yawned and headed towards Ayub. 

“I forgot to give him my number…”

“Well isn’t that typical for one-night stands? Hence the word ‘ One’ “ Ayub sneered

“Now isn’t the time for this. We didn’t do anything!”
“No need to feign ignorance, Simon, we all know you aren’t a virgin.” Rosh interrupted.

Simon nearly screamed, “When did you get here?!”

“Deflecting,” Ayub sang.

“I’m not! All we did was kiss!”

“Oh really?” Rosh sounded unconvinced

“Yes. I swear, we were so intoxicated that we passed out at his.”

“You went to his place?!” Rosh asked incredulously.

“Yes, but I really need to solve my problem. What should I do?”

“Instagram?” Ayub asked.

“Oh my…I’m an idiot. Thank you!”

Simon ran into his room to search for the prince’s name on Instagram but was perplexed as he found that he had already gotten a message from Wilhelm.

Chapter 3: spontaneous sleepover

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Wilhelms' text was teasing in nature, joking about the two’s forgetfulness, but its sole existence brought butterflies to his stomach. He had not lost contact with this beautiful boy after all! After some playful back and forth, the two forewent their texted banter when Willie’s contact slid across Simon’s phone. He wasted no time answering and was quickly met with the prince’s singsong voice. 


“What do you mean that I’m the only idiot?” He pretended to be cross, but the shaking of imminent laughter in Willie’s voice failed him.


“In my defense, I do quite remember that you were the one that mentioned texting,” Simon’s voice trailed. 


Their conversation built itself- something new for the two of them. Wilhelm was so accustomed to navigating social situations on stilts, either party in the ordeal terrified of making a mistake whereas Simon with the exception of his childhood friends and family found company difficult to come by. Neither boy had anticipated finding comfort in each other; however, both readily welcomed each other's warmth, happy with the surprise.


“So älskling if you’re done making fun of me,” Simon’s eyebrows quirked, “I wanted to ask you on an official date…”


Simon was wholly grateful that this conversation was over the phone; otherwise, he wasn’t sure how he’d survive knowing that Wihelm got to see him kicking his legs like a teenage girl with a bright flush new on his cheeks. 


“I don’t know…”, he feigned apathy.


“Simon! I’m being serious”


“I know, and it's adorable. I’m just teasing,” Simon laughed, “Yes, I would!”


“Awesome,” a breath the prince had been unknowingly holding audibly released, “I’ll update you as far as details whenever I get my schedule!” 


Simon and Willie continued to stay in contact- well as much as they could when the prince’s publicists chose this random week to murder him with public outings and meetings. However, even on their busiest days, the two ensured that they at least left a good morning text and held their goodnight calls. Even if their timings didn’t always align, they would stay up late or wake up early for one another- a fact that Simon’s overbearing best friends had not ignored. 


“Simon, get off your phone,” Ayub groaned, “ we just started the match!”


 “Five minutes, Ayub! Please?”


“Gosh you’re so whipped for this man; when do we get to meet him?”


The question caught Simon off guard, eyes widening in response. 


“I- We haven’t even gotten to go on a date yet.”


“Yeah, yeah, well hurry up with your bf and get your ass back to the game!”


He felt a little guilty when people pointed out his new attachment to his phone but it was hard not to be when he and Wilhelm’s schedules had blocked the two of them from meeting for nearly two weeks now. The little five-minute blips in which the two were actually available at the same time made his day. 


“Don’t make that face, Simon…” Ayub caught on to his friend’s dampening mood


“Do you think I’m getting too attached?”


“Yes,” Simon’s whole body stiffened, but before he could respond Ayub continued,” But you have been seeing him for what? A little over a week, now? It’s only natural bro.” 
Simon sighed, finally putting his phone down to join Ayub in the game.


“Thanks”


Simon was waiting in bed waiting for his prince to finish getting ready for bed, so the two could call.


“Simon!” Willie's voice was so full of emotion that even if it wasn’t already a video call, Simon could hear his eyes squint as his smile met his cheek.


“Hi, darling!” Simon didn’t even have to try to match his energy. When Willie was happy, he couldn't help but catch his infectious joy, “What’s got you so excited today?”


“I think I finally have a day off!”


Anticipation tingled in Simon’s veins, “You’re kidding?!”


“Nope! They don’t have anything planned for next Friday. Are you free that day?”


 “Shit. I have an exam that afternoon, but I’ll be free the night after?” Simon offered, knowing fully well that he’d be completely and utterly exhausted. 


“You won’t be tired?”


How does this boy always manage to read his thoughts?”


“Honestly, yes, but I want to see you! I miss you!”


“Why do I remember a certain someone teasing me for that very same feeling?’ Willie jokingly chided.


“Hush, you! I didn’t expect that it would take this long for us to see each other again.”


“Me neither,” Willie sighed, “ One of the bonuses of dating me, I guess?” his voice faltered towards the end.


“Willie, I’ve been just as busy. Don’t blame yourself, you goof!”


He simply hummed, and Simon could see him eyeing something intensely.


“What’s up?”


“I…I’m just so tired, haha”


“Yeah…but I want cuddles,” Simon sleepily confesses, “I miss yours.”


“What if I came over?” Willie’s voice dropped an octave and was barely above a whisper.


“Like now?” Simon’s eyebrows shot up.


“Yes…”


“Is that even allowed?”


I’m the crown prince, älskling not a prisoner!”


Simon’s mind, drowned with sleep, locked on the term of endearment. He had called Simon it several times, yet it still hadn’t lost its novelty.


“Simon?”, his voice raised as if Simon had zoned out for longer than he thought.


“Sorry…What were you saying?” Simon yawns.


“Well, I was trying to ask if you were okay with me dropping by for a bit, but if that’s not entertaining enough-”


Simon quickly cut him off,” No! No, please do…”


Ayub was at Rosh’s place for the night, so the two wouldn't have to come up with some reason as to why the crown prince of Sweden was showing up at their house at eleven o’clock at night. Although he’d told his friends that he was seeing the guy from the club, they didn't know who that guy was. The strobe lights and alcohol managed to conceal his identity successfully. In the meantime, Simon and Wilie weren’t ready to tackle that can of worms quite yet, so this was the perfect opportunity.


“Okay, love, I’m getting my driver. Is Ayub home?”


“No! Please hurry, I need your hugs.”


“I’ll try!”


The call dropped, and Simon couldn’t stifle his squeal. He hadn't seen Willie since that fateful morning, and his heart lurched. He decided to quickly tidy his room a bit, suddenly feeling embarrassed about the piles of clothing that littered his floor. As he lifted the last pile of laundry, he heard a knock at his door, so he sprinted to the laundry room before running back to the front door, springing it open so fast it nearly slammed back against the wall.


“Simon!” Willie’s eyes crinkled in his signature way as he saw his boyfriend.


“Willie!!” He pulled the taller boy into a tight hug, grasping gently at the heir’s shoulder blades.


 He felt so emotional that he wanted to cry, only stopping because he noticed a familiar bodyguard behind them.


“Shall we go in, your highness,” Simon’s voice was full of false eloquence.


“I’d love to” he chuckled before biting his lip as he couldn’t wait to pull Simon into his arms.


They entered as Willie flagged for Malin to follow them. It was freezing and he didn’t want her to be stuck outside.


“Is it alright if Malin comes in?


“Of course, now let’s go in my room”


He all but pulled him into his room as he wanted nothing more than to throw him into his bed.


“Love…you need to rest!” Willie grasped at Simon’s hands as he rubbed his thumbs across the smaller boy’s knuckles. His eyes are nothing short of full of love.


“But I’ve missed you…” Simon’s voice lingered. His timbre is clearly lower and gruffer than usual.


“As have I, but you have important classes,” Willie tries to reason, before giving up on that to appeal to Simon in another way. “If you rest up tonight, then, perhaps we could make sleepovers a commonplace event?”


Simon exhaled and sighed, “You’re right…”


“Of course, I am” Willie jests.


Simon responded by bumping his shoulders with the other’s until Wilhelm picked him up- his ability to do so was most definitely not a major turn-on- and brought the two into Simon’s bed. He pulled him into his lap and held him with his arms underneath the smaller boy’s armpit. Wilhelm’s back was flush with the pillows as Simon rested comfortably on the front of his shoulder. The two simply fit together. It was easy, natural, and Simon couldn't help but feel himself falling deeper into Wilhelm’s web. 


“I can’t believe we met because my friends forced me to go that night…” Simon’s voice sounded wistful.


“And to them, I am eternally grateful.” Wilhelm’s voice was covered in a layer of sleep.


“Why was the prince at the club?”


“The same reason most people go to such a place…I guess I was just avoiding my responsibilities.”


“Yeah?”


“Yeah…”


“You sound sleepy, darling…why don’t we lay in a more comfortable position?” Simon offered because although he was fully content, he was sure this couldn’t be the case for Willie.


“Mmm’comfy” His words dragged together.


“Darling, I’m crushing you”


“No…”


Simon turns on top of him, gently pressing his lips on the other’s. He pushed a stray strand of hair out of Willie’s face and decided to scoot off of him; instead, he maneuvered the other to spoon him.


Simon woke up to the sound of his alarm, and much to his joy, Wilhelm still warmed the spot next to him. He turned to once again brush his fingers through the boy’s hair. Then, he brought his attention elsewhere. He grazed over the prince’s exposed skin on his forearms before he was sucked out of his picturesque morning when he remembered that they both had obligations for the day.


“Love?” Wilhelm croaks next to him. 


“Yes, darling?”


“You’re here?”


“Of course!” His voice tightened as he heard the true surprise in his partner’s words.


Wilhelm chooses to respond by pulling the smaller boy into a tighter hug, pressing his chest into Simon’s back as he hooks his head over his shoulder. 


“As much as I love this, we need to get up if we want to be able to eat breakfast.” Simon couldn’t help but admit that they were able to be defined as a joint unit in the pronoun “we”.

“Mmm…five more…” Willie didn’t even finish his sentence before the was pulled into the depths of sleep.


“Willie!”


“Simon…” his voice lingered.


“Come on…”


“Ugh…why can’t I just abdicate and you just drop out?”


“You know the answer to that, love.”


“Do I?”


“Darling, you don’t truly want to give up the throne do you?”


“No…”


“Then get your ass out of bed!!” Simon turns to tickle the taller boy. 


“Not fair!” Wilhelm’s voice morphed to form a pout.


Their laughing and bickering bounced off of the walls, echoing throughout the house. It felt cozy. It felt like home.
A boisterous voice broke into their fun as apparently, Ayub had returned.


“Shit.”


“What’s wrong?”


“I think Ayub came back earlier than I thought…”


“Wilhelm caught his breath, “you trust him?”


“I’ve known him since kindergarten, but if you’re not ready, then we can figure something out, darling.”


“I…” his voice trailed, and Simon could sense his increasing anxiety.


“Let me get us breakfast, you sit.”


Simon left the room quietly closing the door.


He walked down the hall, passed the laundry room into the kitchen, casually glancing at Ayub’s door as he passed.


“Yes, I’m home, Simon”


He’d been caught; “You’re rather early”, he pushed out a chuckle.


“Yeah, Rosh had a hot date which reminds me…I heard some giggling when I walked in”- Ayub’s eyebrows quirked as Simon attempted to keep a stonewall poker face- “that wouldn’t happen to have been loverboy?”


Simon groaned, “I’m getting breakfast.”


“For one or two?”


“I plead the fifth…”


He fumbled in the kitchen, choosing to simply make toast for himself and Willie as he couldn’t muster much energy. Until suddenly, he felt a pair of arms wrap around his waist.


“Willie?” Simon whispered sharply.


“It’s me”, the taller boy puffs, and Simon could feel his long hair tickling his shoulders. 


“You left the room?”


“It's cold” Willie responded simply, still very clearly full of sleep.


“Well, I’ve made us some toast; you want coffee?”


“Hmm”, he hums.


“Willie…what do you have planned today, love?”


 “S’not important.”


“While I do believe that is not the case, I have to catch the bus around eleven.”


“Too early! What if I drove you?”


“When do you need to leave?”


“I’ve got nothing until half-past one.”


“Really? I thought you said you had to be up early?”


“I’m skipping rowing. They’ll survive without me for one day.”


“What am I going to do with you?” Simon chuckled, turning around to bump foreheads with his prince; “Also, yes, you can bring me…”


“Yay!!”

 


“Ayub, I can feel you staring!”
Simon shouted at his nosey roommate, and Willie stiffened for a second before quickly calming down, but it was definitely noticed by his partner. He squeezed the heir’s hand in response, tightening his grip when Ayub walked into the kitchen. 


“Holy shit-”


“Ayub!”


“When you said-”


“Shh!” Simon all but lunged at him. 


Willie simply stood awkwardly, choosing to offer a small wave with his free hand. 


“Nice to meet you, your highness.”

 


 “Erm…Willie is fine!”
 Simon cut in, “ Willie this is Ayub, and Ayub”- he groaned halfway through-” this is Willie”
“Now please, let us have a moment alone before we have to leave!” Simon quipped.


“Oh come on now, I’m sure y’all had plenty of that last night!”


William's face erupted into flames, “We just slept!”


 “Don’t bother, darling, he’s not going to believe you,” Simon chided.

 

When Ayub left the kitchen, Simon released a breath he didn't even know he was holding. “I promise you he isn't going-”


“I trust you, love! I’m not concerned in the slightest,” Willie cocked his head, “now what is bothering me is that it appears that we have a good hour which I intend on utilizing fully.”


“Yes, sir,” Simon playfully saluted.


As Wilie’s driver pulled into Simon’s university, he couldn’t help but feel a sense of bittersweetness. The morning was magical, and he didn’t know if he could survive without every morning being so blissful, much less going another two-week stretch without seeing him in person.


“Thanks, darling!” Simon pressed a kiss on Willie’s nose, “But let’s meet again sooner rather than later.”


“Agreed,” Willie changed the trajectory of their lips so that they now met.

It was chaste as Simon did actually have to make it to class on time, but its freshness only further urged Simon’s curiosity. Willie was a seemingly bottomless lagoon, and he wanted nothing more than to dive in blindfolded- shit how was he already so whipped? 

Notes:

This has officially become my longest-running fan fic! I am so sorry that it took me so long to continue this series; I absolutely do intend on finishing it, but in writing this chapter in particular I found that my original plan was kind of overdone, and so I hit a block and was unable to write- not to mention I have a bizarre process where I have to write it on paper first, and then, type it which does happen to make it take forever. Thank you for sticking with me, and I promise I will have more for you to read in a much shorter turnaround time next week!

Chapter 4: the date!

Notes:

this chapter was brought to you by sleep deprivation and text-to-speech.

on a more serious note, I apologize that it took a little longer to get this out than I planned. I'm working to make these updates longer for all of you, but my teachers have been kicking my ass with course work :(

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The next few days were filled with excitement for their upcoming date. They could hardly stand the moments in between their numerous sleepovers, texts, and calls; Simon couldn't help but fall deeper for this man. He was simply awestruck – he managed to snag the literal prince of Sweden, but it was more than just that. He couldn't deny the definitive impossibility of everything, but what truly struck a chord in him was always beyond the crown. Willhelm was never Prince Wilhelm of Sweden- he was his Willie. He wasn't the calm, diplomatic heir that his PR team depicted; he was Simon’s awkward, bumbling boyfriend – a term that would never fail to consume Simon every day. He could only hope that Willie also felt strongly because he was too far gone now nothing could break him out of Willie’s intoxicating spell. Every message, every touch (be it a grazing of fingertips or interception of lips), every laugh, everything about Willie entranced him. Simon was so stuck in thought during one of his professor's long lectures that he didn't realize that his notes faltered. Instead of writing about music theory, he scribbled hearts and Willie's name. His face flushed, and he quickly turned to a new page, hyper-focusing on every word that left his professor's mouth as to make up for the lost time.


He left campus with an exasperated expression; his classes all lined up to where his exams were back to back, and with his attention stolen, he didn't know how he'd survive.

 

“ Simon!”,  a familiar voice drew his attention forward.

 

“ Willie?” Simon felt lost, “Why are you here?!”

 

His prince stepped out of the black car, which he'd just been sticking his head out the window of in order to open the door.

 

“I wanted to surprise you!” his voice lept with energy. “Plus, I figured you could use all the extra study time you could get, and me driving you is surely faster than public transportation.”

 

“Love…that's so sweet”, Willie had to be a mind reader. The boy managed to detect Simon's earlier anxiety, “ I would love that!”

 

He decided to quickly hug the prince before going in the car, thanking Malin as he entered and buckled his seatbelt. Willie followed in after, immediately clasping Simon’s hand in his own. 

 

“You are ever the gentleman, darling.”

 

“Hmm… I guess my etiquette classes prove useful?”

 

“Absolutely, though, your presence is rather distracting-  how ever shall I study?”

 

“Ah, that is true. Shall I just deposit you at home and retire, then?” Willie’s eyes twinkled as he put on his “ royal tone”. 

Simon’s eyes widened, and he swiftly interjected, “ that won't be necessary!”

 

Simon loved that they could joke like this. They're banter proved that they could just be them without concern over things bigger than them. He loved seeing Willie, so relaxed and unconcerned with his mom. He loved that he could bring Wilhelm the normalcy he so desperately craved.

 

“ Simon?”, Willie’s voice fell to a whisper, distinctly softer than before.

 

“ Yes, love?”

 

“ Do you ever… are you ever upset that I can't stand up to my mother yet? I just feel like I'm accepting our fate – not fighting for us because I'm… -”

 

“Don't even finish that sentence.” Simon was sharp, but not mad.

 

“You and I have spoken about this. I promise you I'll let you know when I have concerns, but right now I understand it’d be a lot to ask of you. You are far from weak, though.” 

 

“But-”

 

“You are strong, Willie.”

 

he fell into Simon's shoulder, snuggling the place where his neck met his collar bones.

 

“ I wish Erik was here… he would've loved you…”

Simon kissed his forehead as he slid his fingers through Willie’s, newly grown-out hair.

 

“I know, baby…”


The car approached Simon's apartment, and the smaller boy led the two in.

 

“Y’know I actually need to get some work done, darling!”

 

“I'm aware; that's why I'm asking in return for the ride is for two kisses”

 

“Only two?” Simon quirked a brow incredulously.

 

“Mhm! Any more than that, and someone won't get to study.”

 

“That's quite presumptuous, love”

 

“Is it?” Willie challenged.

 

Simon, choosing to not dignify his comment with a response, threw a pillow at him.

 

“Hey, I'll have you know that attacking the crown prince is treasonous!”

 

Simon crawled over to where he was face-to-face with Willie and kissed him softly. He pulled back just enough so that their lips barely touched, chuckling as Willie tried to fall back into him.

 

“How about this? Will this get me beheaded as well, my prince ?” he hissed.

 

“Simon…”

 

“Okay, study time!” Simon jumped back, pushing the other boy playfully.

 

“Not fair!” the taller of the two puffed 

 

“I beg to differ!”


Studying with Willie was actually surprisingly productive for Simon. He would occasionally feel the prince play with his hair, or kiss his cheeks, providing encouragement to keep studying as he annotated his textbook. Willie was productive as well. He had a big speech coming up, and although he has improved greatly since his Hillerska days, his anxiety still lingers, so in the meantime, he's decided to memorize it. However, their time together did have to end as Simon, unaware that Willy would drop by today, had already made plans with Rosh and Ayub- who would most definitely have his head if he made any attempt to get out of hanging out with them.

 

As Wilie asked Malin to prepare the car, he leaned into Simon, worry tinting his expression.

 

“What’s wrong, love? Are you nervous about your speech?”

 

Willie contemplated using that as a cover for his feelings, but he couldn't lie to Simon; instead, he sighed, shaking his head. 

 

“Not exactly. I kind of have a dinner with my mother tonight, and I'm nervous about what it's for. She doesn't summon me unless it's bad…”

 

Simon squeezed his shoulder in support, “I'm sure you'll be fine. You are strong and brave, darling; don't forget that.”

 

“Thank you” he sighed, pulling them in for a tight hug.

 

“Text me, okay?”

 

“I will.”


The dinner went surprisingly well, unlike Willie suspected. His mom complimented his work ethic recently and actually had been the one to get him the day off on Friday due to his efforts. Simon was shocked when Willie told him, and the two laughed that the queen was the reason the two would finally be able to have an official date. Not that their spontaneous rendezvouses had been unhappy, but it was much more exciting to wait in anticipation for something they had built up. In fact, that was probably the reason why Simon was currently pulling at his hair after trying on numerous outfits. His exams earlier in the week went well, but now he found himself forgetting the contents of the exam that morning, far too excited to see Willhelm all dressed up. Seeing as the prince planned, the first date, Simon knew he had to wear something that would kill Willie right where he stood. His darling prince charming chose to keep most of the details a secret but told him to dress nice, so inevitably Simon had to rake through his closet to find the few nice garments he happened to own from family and school functions- even a suit from when he was in his school choir- to find something appropriate.

 

“How many clothes are you going to try on?”

 

“You're not helping!”

 

“ Come on Simon you could show up in a trash bag and he'd still be giving you heart eyes!”

 

Simon groaned until his eyes landed on a red suit he purchased on a whim. It was one of the only tailored garments he owned, and boy was it tailored. He decided to finish the look with the lace undershirt he wore to the nightclub, and some eyeliner. He gelled back his hair, taming his curls more than he usually would.

 

“How's this?”

 

“Oh god… do not come back here tonight!” Ayub groaned.

 

“I'll take that as a positive response?” 

 

The doorbell rang, and Simon raced to it, but he was not ready for the image of the man before him. Wilhelm looked like the prince he was, styled back hair, makeup?!?!, and a sinfully fitted navy suit with a black waistcoat paired with an undershirt unbuttoned down to below his collarbones. 

 

“Holy shit…” Simon smacked his mouth in an attempt to make up for his apparent lack of a filter. 

 

“Hello to you too!” Willie grinned, clearly enjoying his partner’s reaction,” you look lovely, darling”

 

“I can't believe you!” Simon couldn't function, “you sure we can't just stay in?”

 

“Yes, I promise you it'll be well worth your while; I've spent all the time we've had planning it!”

 

“It'd better be or I'm afraid that we may never leave home again” 

 

Wilhelm rolled his eyes and pointed his attention to the man behind Simon, “ I'll have him home in the morning, Ayub!”

 

“Alright don't have too much fun now!”

 

Simon waved goodbye and accepted Willie’s extended arm, linking theirs together. He opened the door for the smaller boy as he usually did and gave his knuckles a kiss before dropping his hand to enter the other side of the car. 

 

“Thanks, Malin!” Simon waves 

 

“You'd think I’ve done this enough that you'd know I don't need your gratitude every time” she chuckled at the boy. 

 

“No ma'am, I'll be eternally grateful for your services”, Simon laughed. 

 

He finally turned to his date who was obviously caught eyeing him up and down. 

 

“I take it you like the suit?”

 

“Mhm…is that the same shirt?”

 

“I figured it'd be a nice reminder”

 

“God Simon, you're making this one whole actually going out to dinner thing rather difficult…”

 

“I told you!”

 

“Yes, and I was trying to make everlasting memories!”

 

“So you're saying that having me in bed isn't memorable”

 

Wilhelm choked,” Simon!”

 

“No then?”

 

“Obviously it would be. What would we tell our friends though?”

 

“Fair point. that does happen to remind me though, you know that Ayub and Rosh know about us, but do you have anyone to talk to?”

 

The two decided it would be best tk what to tell Simon’s mother and sister until a little later in their relationship as Simon didn't want to get his mother’s hopes up or to overly worry her. Not to mention the thought of his boyfriend and mother in the same room scared him. 

 

“Yes actually! I told my childhood friend Felice about you!”

 

“Hold on… Felice…?”

 

“Ehrencrona”

 

“My sister is actually friends with her!”

 

“No kidding?”

 

Simon chuckled.

 

“ I guess we were always destined to meet then,” Willie bumped their shoulders.

 

“Sap!” Simon’s eyes twinkled.

 

“You love it!”

 

“I do…”



The restaurant Willie picked was just as nice as Simon imagined it'd be. It had the modern minimalistic style architecture- very beige, yet it radiated opulence. Such a scene was starting to make Simon worry that he wasn't enough. He was but a commoner tossed in the realm of the rich because he somehow managed to lure in the prince. This was so utterly not him it didn't seem right for him to even be there. He felt so small and hated it, but this was their first date and he couldn't dampen the mood with his complaints. He swallowed his worries- they were just that after all, right? He had no true reason as to why he should be feeling this way…

 

“Simon, are you okay?”

 

“Yes, of course,” his voice betrayed him, ringing out just as frail and weak as he felt. 

 

“Love, you're perfect. you know that?” You're enough and you always will be.”

 

“How do you always know?”

 

His hand lept to Simon’s face, forcing the smaller boy to meet his eyes, “Because you are so so important to me…”

 

Simon's face flushed, and he chose to respond by snuggling closer into the boy, hugging his arm. Willie brought Simon's free hand to his lips, pressing gentle kisses into his knuckles.

 

“Shall we?” he winked. 



Dinner truly reminded Simon that willie was a prince; the boy had pulled out every single stop, matching beats in cheesy rom-coms as he pulled out Simon’s chair for him, wiped crumbs from his cheeks, and leaned in on his elbows as he listened to Simon intently. Not only has his date been perfect, but also the atmosphere. The servers floated around the two silently, never breaking their little world of just them as they refilled glasses or presented food. Simon just couldn't believe his luck as he giggled with quite possibly the love of his life. 

 

Willie helped Simon put back on his blazer when the two left the restaurant after the taller boy secretly footed the bill. His fingertips left small fires as they graded his skin sensationally. He then tucked Simon’s arm around his waist while he encircled the smaller boy's shoulders, effectively shielding him from the outside world. They simply couldn't get enough of each other, Willie snuggling in the crook of Simon’s neck.  

 

“You are going to stay there, love?” Simon leaned his chin on top of Willie's head, chuckling. 

 

Willie  lived for the vibrations caused by his laugh as he murmured, “ if you're offering…”

 

“Come on, let's get into the car!”, he laughed.

 

“So where to next?” Simon gently whispered to the boy who had yet to move away from him even after they went into the car.

 

“I was thinking my place?” 

 

“Mmm… any specific ideas for when we get there?”

 

Willie stiffened at the implications of Simon's words and his face flushed.

 

“i-if that's-”

 

“I'm teasing, darling! I'm down for anything you had planned!”

 

“Anything, you say?”

 

“I’m not liking that tone, Willie…”

 

Willie burst into laughter, his former nervousness forgotten as he remembered who the man in front of him was. Simon was so understanding with him and he could just be himself. it felt so liberating 

 

“Why are you looking at me like that? Simon snickered

 

“I’m just thinking…”

 

“That's your first mistake”

 

“Shut up!”

 

The car came to a halt at Wilhelm’s apartment complex, and the two barreled out of the vehicle. Willie yet again led Simon, fumbling with the keys as he couldn't help but kiss the boy in front of him which Simon giggled at. 

 

Willie eventually succeeded in unlocking the door and pinned the shorter boy against the nearest wall as their lips danced with one another. Hands began to explore one another as Simon began to fiddle with Willie's collar. He broke his lips free and began to trail down the side of the taller boy's face to his ear to his neck, but before he could reach his collarbones, the prince stopped them.

 

“Love, I erm actually made us some desert!”

 

“Immaculate timing dear”

 

“I didn't think you'd be so enthusiastic,” Willie teased.

 

The two shared a decadent dark chocolate cake that Willie had baked earlier in the morning. Baking was a talent he kept a secret from the public eye and hadn't really tapped into aside from baking for himself and his late brother, but Simon gave him a new reason. He'd be lying if he didn't confess that it was immensely therapeutic. Kisses filled with chocolate led the two boys into the bedroom, and the two couldn’t imagine anything that would bring them more joy.

Notes:

so happy, i wonder what i could do to ruin it *insert yawn*

Chapter 5: friends and drama

Notes:

an earlyish update? haha, i couldn't wait all week to get to work on this chapter now that we have the story finally rolling! AND we are a little over halfway through (chapter 10 is gonna be an epilogue)- I can't believe it, but thank you all so much for reading and commenting!!!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

For what felt like the hundredth time, Simon yet again woke up in the comfort of Willie’s embrace, all too routinely rolling over to check his phone on the bedside table, but not before he pushed back a tuft of Willie’s hair from his face, admiring his princely features. However, the familiarity of it all quickly dissipated when Simon checked his phone to find an ominous message and a missed call from a contact he was sure he had blocked.

 

Call back ASAP: I have some pretty valuable news about your prince

-Marcus

 

His eyes locked on the message, the hidden threat causing his heart rate to lurch. Simon gleaned to the boy at his right who currently slept so peacefully, the morning’s light casting a gorgeous luminosity across his features. While the smaller boy hadn’t a clue about what Marcus wanted, it was obviously something detrimental to his boyfriend, and he couldn’t stop his anxiety from overtaking him.

“Mmm, what’s wrong?” Willie’s voice was still filled with sleep.

 

“Nothing! Good morning, darling,” but Simon was unconvincing, visibly shaking.

 

Before long, Simon was captured in one of Willie’s infamous hugs.

 

“Love, I’m sorry, but you’re shaking. What’s wrong?” His words were soft as he matched them with gentle strokes on Simon’s arm.

 

“I-Can I take this call first? Maybe then I’ll be able to explain…”

 

“Of course”

 

Simon decided to call Marcus back in the living room, attempting at some privacy. 

 




The phone rang only once before his ex picked up:

 

“Simme! I thought you’d never respond!!”

 

“Could you get to the point?”

 

“Watch your tone. You really need to watch your back”

 

“Why Marcus? Last I checked you’re just a cheater.” Simon’s words were laced with venom.

 

“Listen, I have a video of you and Wilhelm from presumably last night-”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“The two of you aren’t very good at being secretive. How clumsy of the prince?”

 

“What’s your point in telling me this?” Simon swelled with anger at his words.

 

“I just wanted to know if you had any reason for me to not post it?”

 

“Perhaps basic human morals? Oh, wait you don’t have any. What do you want, Marcus?”

 

“Break up with the prince, Simon.”

 

What the fuck?”

 

“You heard me.”

 

Panic grew thick in Simon’s throat, “But why? You’re the reason we broke up- you didn’t even want me-”

 

“Cut the crap. You always act like the victim. In reality, I’m sure you’re just with him for the fame, and I don’t like seeing it.” There was clearly something else there, but Simon was too mad to think clearly. 

 

“How do you think he will react when he hears of this? He is the literal crown prince.”

 

“Tell him, and I release it. It’ll be anonymous, your word against mine.”

 

Simon was silent, unsure of how to respond. 

 

“So what will it be?”

 

“I need time…I can’t just do it now-”

 

“Well, I'm feeling generous. You have one week, and if you haven’t broken up, it will be released.”

 

The call dropped, and Simon felt everything hit him at once. He had finally felt worthy and happy, finally had his first date with Willie, and finally began to tackle his trauma, but now he was yet again lost. He couldn’t tell Willie. He couldn’t just break up with him, but he couldn’t let Marcus destroy his life. 

 

“Simon,” Willie called out, “ Everything okay?” 

 

Oh yeah… Simon couldn't imagine facing him right now. He felt so guilty and knew his boyfriend could read him like a book. Standing in the living room wasn't a much better option either, though. He took a deep breath and walked back into the bedroom. 

 

Lingering in the doorway, Simon put on his best act, “Everything’s fine, darling.”

 

Something in Willie’s face showed that he didn't quite believe him, but he reluctantly let it be, “Come here, love; our morning cuddles were stolen from us.”

 

Simon’s mind lingered on the word stolen- how much else would be stolen from them? 

 

“Y-Yeah I’m coming,” he sighed inwardly at his faltering words, but soon forgot all about  Marcus as he lay in Willie’s arms.

 

When he fully encompasses Simon, Willie finally admits, “I know something happened this morning…”

 

  Shit …Simon stiffened.

 

“But I want you to tell me when you’re ready. I just wanted to make it abundantly clear that I’m here for you okay?”

 

Simon nuzzled in the crook of Willie’s neck, “thank you…”

 


The two could lay with one another all day, and forgo any studying, royal duties, and coursework either would have, but were sadly interrupted by a buzzing of the prince’s phone.

 

“Fuck…”

 

“Just ignore it,” Simon yawned.

 

“It’s my PR manager; I’ll just take it here.” Willie sat up with Simon’s head still in his lap and picked up the phone, putting it on speaker.

 

“Prince Wilhelm, I was calling to ensure that you have selected a guest for the gala next Friday evening?”

 

Truthfully, he had forgotten all about the event, far too consumed with his boyfriend, “Um- yes, yes I have!”

 

“Wonderful, her majesty was concerned you may have forgotten about it. Could we get the name on file, so we can prepare security?”

“Yes, just allow me one moment, please?”

 

“Of course.”

 

Willie put his microphone on mute as he turned to face Simon, “So I may or may not have completely forgotten about that-”

 

Simon giggled, knowingly, “I figured as much; who are you bringing, then?”

 

“I was hoping, if you were free, of course, maybe you would accompany me?”

 

“You aren’t worried that someone will find out?”

 

“I…honestly, yes, but I was thinking that I could introduce you as one of my college friends? We could practically act the same, there won’t be much press inside the venue.”

 

“Okay, then I can come!”

 

“Wonderful!” Willie sunk back into Simon.

 

“Aren’t you forgetting something, darling?” He gestured to the phone.

 

“Fuck-”

 

He unmuted the call, “Thank you for your patience, I just needed to confirm that they were still available.”

 

“Not an issue at all, your highness.”

 

“Yes, so I invited one of my peers from college, his name is Simon Eriksson.”

 

“Oh…” She sounded less pleased than before, “Okay, then, I’ll take care of it from here, thank you.”

 

The call dropped abruptly and Simon could no longer contain his giggles.

 

“She was totally prepared for you to bring a girlfriend,” he laughed.

 

“Well she’s not far off; if only she knew” Willie faked a wistful expression.

 

“Come on, you goof, we need to get our day started, or I’ll be drowning in so much schoolwork, I won’t be able to attend.”

 

“Right away, sir” Willie saluted.


After some clingy goodbyes, Simon returned to his apartment though not in the morning as Wilhelm had promised- oops . Now, he was left alone to process all of the information from this morning. He, now, had until next Saturday to figure out what to do with his stupid ex, and it had to be done solo. Willie was a solidified part of his life, now, carefully comforting him through his issues, and the idea of losing that almost grew to be too much. Simon would also be attending a gala with the prince next Friday which meant that if he did yield to Marcus’s demands it would have to be after that. When had life gotten so complicated? Simon groaned, wholly unable to even fathom working on his homework. 

 

Suddenly, Ayub appeared in his doorway with a quirked brow,” What’s wrong, Simon?”

 

“Nothin-”

 

“Simon, I’m not blind. Did Wilhelm do something?”

“God no! I- it's just…” He couldn’t tell Ayub, could he? His words fell as he tried to remember the conversation between him and Marcus.

 

Ayub stood there, expectantly.

 

Fuck it Simon thought; his friend wouldn’t let him get away with keeping it a secret as easily as his boyfriend had.  “It’s Marcus.”

 

“What?”

 

“Marcus,” Simon hated the number of times his name has come out of his mouth today, “has a video of Willie and me.”

 

“And?”

 

“And Willie isn’t ready to come out yet. We…we’ve spoken about that, and he needs more time.”

 

“I get that, Simme. I mean who cares if Marcus has the video? He’s an ass but surely-”

 

Simon’s expression must have given it away because Ayub never finished his sentence.

 

“Couldn’t Willie just use his prince powers to fix this?”

 

“That’s what I thought, but if I tell Willie, Marcus said there’s no proof. He would just release it anonymously.”

 

“Wait- Willie doesn’t know?!”

 

“I-no-”

 

“Simon! Communication, my brother.”

 

“I don’t really have a choice in the matter, Ayub!”

 

“Wait, if he’s not going to release it as long as Willie doesn’t know, then what’s the big deal? I feel like I’m missing something here.”

 

Simon had failed to tell him the actual reason why his brain wouldn’t stop going a mile a minute. “He wants me to break up with the prince.”

 

“You can’t do that!”

 

“I know, Ayub.”

 

“What are you going to do?”

 

“I don’t know. That’s why I’m losing my mind here.”

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

Tears started to prickle in Simon’s eyes before he forcefully blinked them away, “I…I have a week.”

 

Ayub's eyes fell. 

 

“And to make matters even more difficult, I’m attending a gala with Willie as a “college friend” on Friday.” 

 

“This is so fucked.”

“I know…I hate Marcus so so much.”

 

“Why don’t we tell Rosh and she-”

 

“We can’t tell anyone else, Ayub. I don’t think I was even supposed to tell you.”


Willie knew something was wrong with his boyfriend, but he didn't get to know what. It drove him up a wall and wrecked him with worry. Now that they were apart, he felt he couldn’t even comfort him. He truly did try to ignore it, knowing that Simon deserved the opportunity to tell him when he was ready, but if he sat here how he currently was, he would lose it. In turn, he decided to text Felice. 

 

Wilhelm : BESTIE I desperately need your help

Felice : what did you get yourself into this time?

 

come over?

 

Wilhelm : Please! I’ll explain when I get there :( 


Wilhelm quickly prepared himself to face his best friend when he remembered that he didn’t even tell her that he had a boyfriend. To say he was nervous was an understatement. She knew he was queer, but he knew that she would feel a little betrayed that he overlooked telling her…Regardless, he hopped out of his car and knocked on his friend’s door. 

 

“Willie! It's been ages,” she pulled him into a tight hug which he was entirely grateful for. 

 

“I’ve been…busy” He looked to the side, avoiding her gaze. 

 

“Oh you are so explaining what that means, but first, come on in!”

 

He caught her up to speed - not without Felice losing her mind that Willie finally managed to pull- and paused before revealing the true reason why he was here.

 

“So you’re dating my friend’s brother, where’s the problem?”

 

“I…I’m not exactly sure about that one. It's been absolutely wonderful- you have no idea. He doesn’t care about my title and I feel like he truly likes me for me. AND he’s so hot. Not to mention-”

 

“You’re rambling, dear.”

 

“Right, um so…there’s something going on with him, and usually, he tells me everything, but this time he didn't, which is fine of course, I just think it's something serious.”

 

“Willie…”

 

“He was weird when we woke up this morning, and then, he had to take a call. After that…he was definitely shaken up. I just want to be there for him, Felice.”

 

“Come here,” she pulled him into a hug, “I can tell that you really like him, but if I know anything about him from Sara, it is that he is strong. If he needs you, you have to trust that he’ll tell you.”

 

“You’re right…”

 

“I usually am!” The two giggled, “Now it's time for some much-needed self-care! Can I call Mads?”

 

“Absolutely, I’ve missed y’all!”

 

“Crazy idea, but what if I also invited Sara?”

 

“Oh-”

 

“I can literally see you overthinking”

 

“We just haven’t told her about us yet…”

 

“That’s totally fine, Mads should be here in ten!”


When the third of the group finally joined, Willie took a moment to just feel at ease. He sent a text to Simon to let him know that he’d be with friends, but not before ensuring that Simon knew Willie would drop anything to be there for him.

 

“Who is this simp, and what has he done to our princey poo?” Madison laughed at Wilhelm’s messages. 

 

“Love does some crazy things I guess,” Willie responded with playful vigor.

 

“Shut the fuck up,” they all laughed. 

 

They all decided to wash their faces and put on some face masks before sitting in a circle with Felice’s crate of nail polish. 

 

“Want me to do your nails, Willie?” Felice gently offered.

 

“Yes! Are you going to the gala this weekend? Maybe we could do a color to match what I’m wearing?”

 

“Mhm! Your mother invited me,” she chuckled, “But you want to wear it to the event?”

 

“That's a pretty big step,” Madison added.

 

 “I’m really trying to get to be able to go public with Simon…” Willie offered his hands to Felice. “I don’t want to do anything crazy yet, but I think nail polish is subtle enough, anyone can wear it after all.”

 

“Hell yeah!”

 

“I’m still pretty offended you waited so long to tell us if he’s that serious!” Felice falsified a look of anger.

 

“I genuinely was so caught up between PR and meetings that my brain couldn’t process anything but Simon.” Willie looked at his friends, “But now, I think I finally have a healthy balance of everything.”

 

“Thank goodness for that, I can’t lose my best friend just yet.”

 

“Wait, you never did tell us, how’d y'all meet?” 

 

Madison’s question caused Willie’s face to erupt into flames.

 

“Oh, there is so a story there,” Felice chimes in. 

 

“I- I'm so embarrassed, why are y’all like this?”

 

“It was an honest question, Willie, go on and answer..”

 

“Yeah go on, Willie”

 

“Y’all are teaming up on me!!”

 

Felice smacked him with a couch cushion, careful so as to not mess up his nail polish. 

 

“Come on!!” Madison urged him.

 

“Fine. It was at a nightclub.”

 

“No way…”

 

“I- he…I can’t do this” Willie attempted to hide his face on the couch.

 

“He’s all grown up, Fe”

 

“I can’t believe it…”

 

“So did yall have se-”

 

“That’s quite enough! And I’m a gentleman, so I’m quite offended that you assume I would do it the first night!”

 

“So y’all have, just not that night? Madison tilted her head as if she were genuinely asking an important question.

 

“Ye- NO!”

 

“HE DID, FEEEEEE!!!!”

 

“Okay, Mads, let’s give him a break”

 

He glared fondly at his two friends, “ How are you two both the worst and best people in my life at the same time?”

Notes:

Lots of dialogue in this update! And Marcus returns? Tons of drama and sadness to come!

ALSO, it's said in the other note, but I did create a twitter- well more like fix my dead one. It's still pretty barren, but I want to be able to give you updates for this and future fics (I'm working on a friends/idiots to lovers atm)

Anyhoo, I think there may be more than one update next week?! I have so many ideas, so as long as I'm not drowning in schoolwork, you will most likely get both 6 and 7!

Can't wait to give y'all another update!

Chapter 6: decisions

Notes:

update only two days later- whaaaaaaaa?

my schedule is pretty busy for the rest of the week, so I wanted to make good on my statement about two updates this week early!

Hope y'all enjoy!!!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 To say Simon was crushed would be an understatement. 

 

Ayub left for work, Rosh was with her girlfriend, and he couldn’t even tell Willie what was going on. For the first time since they started dating, Simon was alone forced to contemplate options and conjure a solution by himself. It was infuriatingly stressful, though. He felt stuck in a constant loop with every deliberation resulting the same- if he told Willie, Marcus would release it; if he broke up with Willie, he’d have to break his and the prince’s hearts; if he ignored Marcus’s demands, it would be released. It was hopeless, and Simon couldn’t help but crumble into himself at the pressure. His arms hugged his knees as he set his forehead on them in defeat, tears rolling down the expanses of his cheeks. 

Just before he could fall, fully into his desperation, Simon’s phone chimed.

 

Willie <3:

Love! I miss you so much already :(( I just wanted to let you know that I’m thinking about you!! I’m with some friends, but if you need me, I’m always here <3

 

Fuck. Simon thought as he felt his heart tug at the message. This is why he couldn’t think clearly. His prince stole his heart and took his basic mental functionality with it. He couldn’t leave a man like this, but the idea of knowingly causing him pain left a much more sour taste in Simon’s throat. Willie wasn’t even out. If the press got only a  mere whiff of what Marcus potentially photographed, it would end him. He couldn’t be selfish. 

 

Simon knew what he would have to do after the gala.

 

Simon: 

aw! i hope ur having fun, darling-  but i'm okay! i appreciate u reaching out…i miss u so so much!

 

It didn’t feel right lying to Willie, but it was simply not his choice. His resolve would only have to harden if he was going to be able to protect his prince. 


Almost as if fate knew it would be their end, both of the boys had plenty of availability for some quality time this week, being that college was on break and princely duties were mostly comprised of preparation for the gala. In turn, Simon found himself in the lap of his beautiful boyfriend who to the death of him was not afraid of physicality. 

 

Willie tangled his fingers in Simon’s curls as his other arm encircled the smaller boy. Simon could feel the other’s heartbeat thrum against his back, and his ears detected his every breath. Willie was so present like this, filling Simon's senses with nothing but him. His brain falling into repetitions of just Wille Willie Willie… Simon only wished he would forget himself in it. Just last week, it wouldn’t be a question, but now Marcus’s threat and its ultimate imminent outcome robbed his attention. What was worse, though, is that Simon knows Willie knows there’s something up, but he respects Simon’s inability to tell him. 

 

He was so lost in his mind that he barely registered Willie leaning down to meet his lips, reaching up at the last minute to kiss him in the middle. Willie’s hands cradle his neck and waist, drawing ticklish circles just below the hem of his shirt. God did this just feel right …Simon knew their buzzing connection isn’t common. Their ability to fall into a seamless rhythm as soon as their mouths intercept was rare, and such a fact panged at Simon’s chest. 

 

Simon chastised himself. He knew he should’ve prepared for this. Secrecy was a promise between the two of them before they even started dating, but his mind couldn’t help but wonder. What if Willie knew? What would he choose? He shook at the thought, trying to bring back his earlier resolution. Simon felt moisture on his cheeks before even registering that he was crying. He didn’t cry in front of people, especially not Willie. He hopelessly tried to stop, but it all quickly became too much.

 

“Simon?!” Willie’s desperation conveyed that this wasn’t the first time he tried calling out. His softness was evident, in spite of his concern, his fingers stroking his face as he wiped away tears. 

 

“I’m-I’m fine,” Simon choked.

 

Willie’s embrace tightened, sensing Simon’s instinct to run, “You and I both know that’s not true! Something has been up since Saturday morning.”

 

“I-”

 

“You don’t have to tell me anything, darling,” Willie’s voice quieted this time, “Trust me, I understand, but please let me be here regardless.”

 

“But.. it's not right, Willie.”

 

“What isn’t?”

 

“I- I really want to tell you, but I can’t. It’s not fair to you…”

 

Willie took a breath and pulled Simon even closer, twisting the two so that Simon was sitting up. 

 

“I’m sorry for lying to you…”

 

“It’s okay…”

 

“It’s not. You deserve to know.” The look on Simon’s face was unconvincing.

 

“Then tell me on your terms,” Willie offered.

 

On their own terms wasn’t a luxury they could afford anymore,  though.

 

“I love you so much, I hope you know that,” Simon’s heart acted before his brain could stop words from tumbling out, reaching to turn Willie’s face to his. 

 

Willie’s eyes widened, but before long, he quickly responded, “ I know, I love you too”, his hands massaging Simon’s arms.


Tonight was it, Simon would have to solidify his decision. It was hard, but it had to be the right choice if there was one, right? Perhaps he should’ve consoled his friends instead of not so subtly locking himself in his room when he wasn’t put with Willie- oops .

 

“Simon. I know you must be getting ready, but if you don’t unlock this door, Rosh is coming in.” Ayub’s familiar joking tone was completely gone as he shouted to his friend.

 

Fearing the alternative, Simon had no choice but to let his two friends in.

 

“Simon! I can’t believe you really thought we’d let you lock yourself away before you did something stupid”, Rosh tutted. 

 

“You told her?!”

 

“I was getting desperate!!”

 

He groaned in response, before looking to the ground. “I…I’m breaking up with him.” 

 

“You can’t just do that, Simon?!” Ayub’s eyes widened in shock.

 

“I hate to say it, but I agree with Ayub on this. Don’t you like him?”

 

“I-I love him, Rosh. How could I not?”

 

“Then, I’m not following?”

“That’s why I have to do this. He’s not out.  We can’t- I can’t do this to him.”

 

“Why can’t we just get Rosh to beat Marcus up or something?”

 

Rosh elbowed him in response, “What Ayub means is that I’m sure there’s another way?”

 

“I have until tomorrow morning; there really isn’t anything we can do. I really appreciate y’all, but he’s the crown prince, and I don’t want to have any part in his outing.”

 

The two looked at him apologetically before Rosh added, “Then, can we at least give the prince something pleasant to remember your time together? 

 

“YEAH, you have to be sex on wheels tonight!!”

 

“AYUB-” Simon squeaked. 


Nonetheless, Simon was a sight to behold. After their first date, he learned of Willie’s obsession with his makeup, so he made sure to apply some tonight. He resorted to his typical “fancy event” hairstyle and filled his waterline in with black eyeshadow, accompanied with a smokey wing. He, then, turned to his closet to pull out the suit Willie sent for him to wear. At first, guilt tinged at the sight of it, but he was quickly distracted when he pulled it out from its protective bag. It was a pale dusty rose trouser/blazer set with rhinestone embellishments and a flesh-toned mesh long-sleeve undershirt that ended with gloves, fully embedded with even more stones. It so wasn’t fair that this was going to be his breakup look- but at least he was going out in style right?

 

“Holy shit. Knock 'em dead, Simon!” His friends whooped at him as he gave them a turn-around. 

 

“I can’t believe that this is gonna be it. It’s not fucking fair” Simon felt emotional after everything settled in. 

 

Rosh turned to him wiping his tears before they fell, “You’re going to make the right decision out there no matter what you choose. Don't ruin your makeup” She finished her statement with a wink. 

 

A knock interrupted the two as Simon ran to answer the door.

Notes:

next update= gala; sorry that this update is a little uneventful, I just needed one more chapter to set up for what's to come haha

do y'all think Simon's going to actually go through with it?

Chapter 7: dances and depression

Notes:

don't kill me! <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Willie’s hands quivered as he stood in front of his bathroom mirror. He’d insisted that he didn’t need makeup artists or hair stylists for this event, but he slowly began to long for the simplistic calmness of just sitting in the chair, letting someone else take care of it for him. Nonetheless, he watched his reflected expression harden. Although his hair was becoming a problem, something else captured his attention- Simon . The very boy who he would trade the monarchy for. He was determined that tonight, he was no longer willing to sneak around with his love. 

 

Ever since their first date, Willie could feel a stressful sadness in Simon, and the only reason he could imagine- for something that he didn’t want to tell Willie anyway- was that Simon wasn’t as comfortable with secrecy as he originally made it out to seem, and surprisingly neither was Willie. Never a fan of public displays, Willie still wanted to be able to just be them with nothing else preventing them from doing so. His commitment juxtaposed his evident anxiety; Willie knowing that Simon was worth it allowed the latter to take precedence. Yes, tonight would be a night to remember. 


Willie arrived at Simon’s place looking ever so much like the prince that he was. Dashing, he stood in a suit that accompanied Simon’s beautifully, although it was arguably more conservative. His suit matched in color, but featured a closed blazer with jeweled buttons and cufflinks, finishing the look with his signature cross necklace on full display. 

 

“Holy- You have to give me a heads up before you show up looking like this on my porch!” Simon squawked at him.

 

“I could say the same to you, love,” Willie accented his words with a gentle touch to Simon’s shoulders before reaching to caress his cheek.

 

And the two just stood there together. They rested their foreheads together as Simon utilized his time to commit everything to memory. He just wanted to consume everything the prince would give him before he would have to gut his heart to protect him. Almost as if hearing Simon’s thoughts, Willie moved to pull him into a deadly kiss. 

 

It was different from their normal, slow with a biting undertone of desire as the two longed to feel what was under the glamor of their suits, makeup, and hairspray.  They longed for the reality that brought them together- the connection which solidified their desperation. It was whelming, yet beautiful, Simon thought before Wilhelm could steal his ability to do so. 

 

Before things could get too heated, Simon pulled back, giggling at Willie’s attempt to recapture the other boy’s lips. Not going too far, Simon rested his head where it fits perfectly in the crook of the prince’s neck, gently kissing the same spot. 

 

“We have to go…can’t have the crown prince arriving late now can we?”

 

“Whatever would they say?” Willie feigned perplexity while he reached for the smaller boy’s hand.

 

Willie had always been tactile, always touching Simon, but did he have to tonight? How is Simon to pretend to not be completely in love with this dork without all too knowing eyes discovering him? How could he take the bullet at the end of the night? How could he br-

 

“You coming?” He quipped a brow, tilting his head downwards to get a better look at Simon’s expression.

 

“Uh yes of course!” Simon replied distractedly, far too consumed in the depths of Willie’s eyes as they bounced back and forth into his. His eyes conveyed everything to Simon- all of the love that his touches or words hadn’t already was there. 

 

“You’re feeling up to this and everything, right? If not it's totally okay if-” Willie was cut off as he opened the door for Simon to get into the car.

 

“Willie, I promise I’m fine; I’m actually excited for this- even if I have to be your pseudo college bro or whatever” 

 

Now that they were buckled in, Willie twisted, so he once again faced his boyfriend, “I actually wanted to talk to you about that”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Yes, I don’t want to hide us- I don’t mean like official courtship or k-kissing in front of everyone…but I want to be able to have you by my side, dance, hug…” Willie rambled.

 

“I…” guilt coated Simon’s throat, “that’s wonderful, baby!” Those words would be true if he hadn’t found himself with Marcus’s threat. He would be ecstatic if that were the case. 

 

Willie looked puzzled, “If you’re not ready for that, it's okay, Simon. I just kind of assumed that this-” he gestured at the air with his hand, “wasn’t doing it for you.”

 

“I-”

 

“I’d completely understand, love; even if we don’t say anything it's possible people will talk…”

 

“Willie, it's not that. Seriously, I assure you that I have no qualms with anyone knowing about us- well that's not entirely true because of the whole press-” Simon groans, “this is totally not the point.” He throws his head into Willie’s chest.

 

Willie caresses his hair, gently so as to not mess up its styling. “I’m trying to understand…” His voice was soft without any aggression.

 

“Not tonight?” Simon offers meekly.

 

“Whatever suits you” the edges of Willie’s mouth quirked in an awkward smile.

 

“So formal,” Simon laments. His head was now resting on Willie’s shoulder with his boyfriend’s arm around his waist, cuddling the best they could in the backseat of a car.


Cameras and flashes laid siege on Willie as the two made it out of the car, and Simon could feel Willie’s whole body tense at the ordeal. Simon decides, rather irresponsibly, to whisper soothing encouragement in his ear which surprisingly seems to work.

 

At the entrance, the two don’t hold hands, a silent agreement between the two of them that perhaps they should test out publicity inside of the venue, away from the paps. However, when they do enter, Willie immediately searches for the other’s fingertips. Simon shoots him a warning glance and is met with an accomplished expression. Simon couldn't help but fall victim to the bubbling giddiness that his boyfriend’s obvious affection brought him and responded with a lovingly exasperated gaze. 


Their moment is interrupted when Willie actually has to be a crown prince - since it’s apparently not just a dutiless title- and he makes his rounds (with Simon in toe). Sadly, it is quite boring listening to and pretending to be interested in narcissistic rich folk attempting to bow down and ass-kiss the monarchy, so Simon finds it troubling to stay awake. Not only is he met with a wave of exhaustion but also one of dread. He realizes all too quickly that tonight is it, and he is beginning to regret his decision. He probably should’ve listened to his friends, hearing Rosh’s all-knowing ‘ told ya so’ ring in his brain. Why didn’t he just tell Willie earlier? He has a whole team of people who work on this sort of thing, but Marcus said- shit he’s spiraling. Suddenly, the room becomes woozy and his grip on Wille’s fingers tightens. Much to his dismay, the perceptive heir notices it, cautiously sending a worried look toward Simon. He chooses to -as gracefully as he can muster- excuse himself for a second, waving his phone at Willie to signal that he would be in touch. 

 

Simon finds an empty room in the palace and sinks to the floor, everything coming to a peak when Marcus’s number flashes on his screen. What if he’s grown impatient and already released it? Wha- He answers the call before it could become too much.

 

“Why are you at an event with him ? You do realize that you have less than 24 hours to decide, and I’m starting to think you’re ignoring me?”

 

“I-I” He realizes that can’t breathe.

 

“I don’t have time for your theatrics, Simon- answer the question.”

 

He forces his body to speak, “I’m breaking up with him. Tonight after the gala; please, let me have just tonight.” 

 

Marcus chuckles, “seems that you do have some sense in you”

 

The call drops, and Simon falls into himself, sobbing on the floor of some random bedroom in the stupid palace because his stupid self fell for Marcus’s trap. 

 

Light fell into the room, hazing over the previous darkness that swallowed the crying boy.

 

“Simon?”

 

Fuck . He could recognize that voice anywhere. It was his boyfriend, worried about him because he was curled up on the floor sobbing hysterically.

 

“I-I’m sorry…”

 

Willie ran over to him, pulling him into his arms. “Hey? Don’t apologize.”

 

“But I’m- You’re supposed to be out there…”

 

“Shh…that’s not important now.”

 

“I’m sure I’ve ruined my makeup,” Simon forced a giggle.

 

“Well, you’re always gorgeous, but surprisingly that stuff must be waterproof because you don’t even look like you cried.”

 

“That’s good.”

 

“Do you want to talk about it?”

 

Simon shook his head, unable to come up with an excuse for the nth time this topic has come up this week, “Could we go back out?”

 

“Don’t force yourself, love; we could go home if you need…back to my place, cuddle, and watch movies- my mother be damned.”

 

“That sounds wonderful, but really I think I’m okay now…I want to enjoy tonight with you,” Simon sounded much more convincing.

 

“Alright, love!”


The two returned in time for Wilhelm’s family to give their toast, and sadly, Simon did have to detach their arms where they were previously linked to join the rest of the audience. He was slightly curious, he never got to see his boyfriend give a speech in person before. Though, the wonderment quickly phased when he remembered how much stress this put Willie under. 

 

Nonetheless, Willie does it. He effortlessly commands the attention of the room despite his stuttering and stumbling over a few words, and before Simon knows it, his goofy boyfriend returns, nearly running to capture him in his arms.

 

Willie twirls Simon, ending their circle with Simon’s back pressed into his chest and their arms intertwined. Giggling and smiling, the two were in their own world, free from the subject of the party attendees or the Queen or anything. When they were together, the pair felt complete.

Their romantic antics continued throughout the night, but Simon deems the annual slow dance event as the most incredible. 


The two joined each other in adjacent chairs, giggling as their chest heavied relentlessly as a result of their earlier game of tag. Panting, Willie reached over to place a hand on Simon’s knee as they linked ankles.

 

The lights dimmed around them, and Willie’s mother’s voice commanded the attention of the room. 

 

“I would just like to thank everyone in attendance prior to the commencement waltz. It means so much to our family…”

 

Her voice droned in the back of Simon's mind. His eyes lifted, meeting Willie’s in their ascent. There was an unspoken question, undertoning his expression, and Simon couldn’t decipher it until he noticed the Queen and Prince Consort’s dance come to a close, the announcer calling Willie to the center. He didn’t know how to respond. This was uncharted territory between the two- official, but not…

 

Ultimately, Simon let Willie make the decision. It was his reputation on the line after all, and the results of such were nothing short of magical. 

 

Willie unceremoniously scraped his chair as he pushed away from the table before gently tucking it back in, holding out a hand to Simon. The lights shone on the two, walking with their arms linked to the center of the room. Simon did a small, joking courtesy in response to Willie’s royal bow, and the prince began to take the lead.

 

Simon guessed he would have to admit that the professional ballroom dance classes forced upon Willie’s childhood serve him well, considering the smaller boy's lack of experience with this type of dancing. He’d sooner be in the center of a dance circle at the club than twirling in the center of a ballroom with the crown prince of his country, yet somehow this moment fulfilled hidden childhood desires, Simon wasn’t even cognizant of. Willie placed a hand on SImon’s waist, holding his hand in the other, and Simon draped his free arm around Willie’s neck unsure of how far they’d be taking their PDA tonight. 

 

The music whelmed around them, dissipating the harsh stares and audible gasps towards the pair. All that mattered right now was Simon’s closeness to the prince. They met foreheads as Willie swept him across the dancefloor, guiding their steps. Simon could feel each and every breath from Willie’s mouth like this, and he couldn’t help but feel the urge to kiss the dream of a man in front of him. Nonetheless, he managed to control himself, given the setting, and was quickly distracted as the heir spins him around for the nth time that night- why did this man have to be born so perfectly? Willie’s hand on Simon’s waist buried itself further, tightly grasping at the expensive fabric that adorned his boyfriend, only further conveying Willie’s equivalent neediness. Simon responded by placing a secret kiss on his neck, just next to where his hair currently rested.

All too quickly, the music’s tempo slowed and volume diminished, welcoming the rest of the guests onto the dancefloor, and Willie fell into Simon as a result. His hand that had just led the two through their waltz dropped Simon’s to fully wrap around the small boy’s waist while Simon utilized his free one to stroke the prince’s face, gently, so as to commit everything about tonight to memory.


After a few more songs, the pair grew tired of the attention their closeness garnered, so Willie dragged Simon off of the dancefloor, twisting him to cause Simon’s back to fall into his chest before whispering into his ear.

 

“Do you want to take a breather, love?” his voice dripping with care.

 

“Please!,” Simon gasped at Willie’s deliberate presence.

 

“Perfect, I know just the place”

 

Willie clasps his hand tighter as the pair weave through halls, passing what feels like hundreds of rooms. Simon wonders how it would feel to grow up in such an environment- cold, impersonal .

 

Willie cuts off his train of thought, now facing Simon, the prince’s back towards large double doors.

 

“This…this is where I go to escape it all for a bit, and I really wanted to share it with you.”

 

His voice was almost lighter than a whisper, but Simon was caught on every word. 

 

“I-I’d love to!”

 

Willie skillfully opened the door from behind him, walking backward to present it to Simon in his mannerly fashion, and what greeted Simon was a large private terrace, on-looking the clear bright stars that littered the sky above them. He turned to his date who returned his gaze with a sheepish expression.

 

“This…this is beautiful, Willie!”

 

“I’m glad you think so…” Willie’s sentence paused, and Simon looked at him encouragingly, sensing a hidden story in the silence.

 

“...it's actually a place Eric showed me when we were younger…I think he knew that I struggled with anxiety, and he would cover for me. I come here a lot more now. It just reminds me of him, and I feel like he’s here with me again…” Willie’s face flushed, “Sorry, I’m rambling…”

 

Simon grabbed Willie’s hands and called for his full attention, urging him to hear his words, “Never apologize for that! You are so so brave, darling, and I’m incredibly glad that you feel comfortable talking to me about your brother.” His heart warmed as he bathed in the intimacy of it all. 

 

Willie began to fall to the ground, beckoning for Simon to follow. They sat there for a while with Willie resting his head on Simon’s shoulder. They felt free in the presence of the night sky. Slowly, they lean in to kiss each other unabashedly. It was a gentle embrace, unhurried and not desperate. Willie’s hand cupped Simon’s cheek as the latter tangled his fingers in Willie’s hair at the nape of his neck. It felt like home. Willie was Simon’s home. 

 

Willie was the one to break the kiss. “You wanna go to my place?”, he pressed the question into the millimeters of space between their lips. 

 

“Y-yes,”  Simon could no longer meet his eyes, his secret pulling at his conscience. 

 

“Let me tell my mother, come with?”

 

“Sure, I guess it’d be weird if I didn’t after our dance?”


And soon enough the two were off, holding hands in the back of the car that Simon had grown too familiar with, rubbing his thumb across the knuckles he knew as well as his own. His next actions were going to hurt .

 

“Your mother seemed surprisingly cool with everything?” Simon offered as a direction to his earlier thoughts. 

 

“You don’t know what her eyes were saying,” Willie giggled,” We’ll definitely be speaking about this tomorrow.”

 

All too familiar guilt panged in his chest. Willie was going to have to confront his mom after the two break up. He’d taken all of these steps just for Simon to cut it off. And how exactly was he even meant to do that? How do you break up with someone you're irrevocably in love with? Though, Simon supposed that a normal person would not have to do that: it's not common that one dates a prince and is then blackmailed into seclusion by an overbearing ex. 

 

The car stops in front of Willie’s place, and the two quickly step inside. Willie, ever the gentleman, takes Simon’s blazer as the two remove their shoes by the front door.

 

“I’ll grab you something comfortable to change into!” Willie says as he carefully folds Simon’s blazer over his arm, walking towards his room. 

 

Willie returned, cocking his head at the weird expression that filled the smaller boy’s face. Instead of asking about it, the prince shuffled the folded clothes into one arm, pulling the other to cup his face and gaze into his eyes. Perhaps they stayed like this longer than expected because Willie coughs gesturing the sweats towards Simon of which included a hoodie Simon has grown far too comfortable wearing, and he choked back a sob, taking them from Willie’s hand with a thank you. 

 

Now changed, Simon sunk into the couch, mind racing as Willie bustled into the kitchen, making tea for the both of them. Shortly, the kettle whistles and the prince holds a pair of matching mugs, holding out one (which has unofficially become Simon’s) to his boyfriend. It all became too much at that moment. The domesticity, the intimacy, it was everything Simon wanted. However, fate wouldn’t take too kindly to that: Simon couldn’t have this man in front of him, and his inner dilemma suddenly became impossible to conceal.

 

“I-I think we should break up.”

Notes:

fjrfkedrkrge let me know your thoughts!! i've been dying to post this haha

Chapter 8: PR and phone calls

Notes:

i would just like to preface this chapter with oh my goodness I am so so sorry! I honestly struggled with this chapter, which is why finishing it took me so long. I think it's a little bit of a mess, but hopefully it isn't too bad :((((

without further ado: drama and chaos!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Pardon?” Willie’s voice cracked in shock. He leaned over to place the shaking mugs down on the ottoman in the middle of them before turning his full attention to his boyfriend.

Simon’s brain couldn’t properly function. This was in no way how he wanted to end their night. Willie’s earlier actions only proved to Simon that he should've just told Willie about Marcus’s threat rather than bottling them up. However, his revelation became far too late as now he was left with but a few hours to appease his ex-boyfriend. All Simon could do was repeat his last phrase, “I think we should break up, Willie”

 

The nickname burned on his lips, signifying the betrayal of Simon’s words. The name reflected their intimacy, representative of his closeness with the crown prince, yet he would now be relinquishing his right to such things- he had to stop thinking before he broke.

 

Willie’s face paled while he quickly moved to take a place on the couch next to him. He reached for Simon’s knee, gently rubbing his thumb across the familiar plane.

 

“I-I’m sorry? This is so sudden. I thought tonight went well-”

“This has nothing to do with the gala.” Simon cut off Willie before it became too unbearable for his attempted resolve.

 

“Then why?” Willie’s voice broke as his eyes became watery. It was clear the prince tried to remain calm, but Simon’s actions confused the boy, sending him into a mental flurry

 

“I-We…we’re just part of two different worlds. It’ll never work. I-I’m not cut out for this life, Willie.”

 

“I thought that didn’t matter to you.” His tone grew accusatory.

 

“It doesn’t. The issue is everything else. There will always be whispers, fights with your mom…”

 

“But I don’t care about any of that, Simon! We’re worth it- you’re worth it-”



“I don’t want to put you through that.” 

Willie’s quizzical eyes bore into Simon’s, searching his face as he attempted to respond.

 

“You can’t just make that choice for me. I’ve had everyone decide everything for me for my entire life, Simon!”

 

“I-”

 

“I’m choosing this. I’m willing to risk it for us…”

 

Simon’s eyes pulled from Wilhelm’s, unable to fight the intensity that lay in the deep brown hues.

 

“I want to go home.” His voice was hollow and his eyes suddenly found the wooden floor extremely interesting.

 

“Simon, don't leave like this…” 

 

The smaller boy tried to ignore his pleas. Quickly jumping from Willie’s couch, Simon scrambled towards the door. The whelming of emotions, depths of their previous conversation, and guilt of secrecy all began to build up, threatening tears to fall down Simon's cheeks. However, he knows that if he were to spare another glance towards the heir, he would break.

 

Willie, alternatively, was not keen on allowing Simon to rush out. Just as his hand met the knob, the prince lightly grabbed at his wrists.

 

“Please don't leave us like this.” 

 

The fragility in the prince’s voice forced Simon's gaze upwards. What met him, as a result, was his breaking point. Willie was crying and desperate, so Simon could only reflect the same. 

 

“Willie…” The smaller boy began to cry, sobbing into himself before the prince pulled him into a hug. 

 

Willie’s tight grasp gives Simon the freedom to release everything he's bottled up recently. The strength of the embrace exuded security. 

 

“I-I’m sorry…”

 

Willie’s hand moved to rub gentle circles onto Simon's back, “it's okay, älskling”

 

“I-” Simon put some space between the two so he would look the prince in the eye, “I don't actually want to break up…it's just-”

 

Simon was cut off by the sound of Willie’s phone ringing. The prince sheepishly pulled his phone out of his pocket and visibly paled when he read the contact that filled the screen. 

 

“It's my mom…shit shit shit” Willie started. 

 

His eyes looked pleadingly towards the shorter boy as he made a show of answering the phone and setting it on speaker. 

 

“Wilhelm-” no ‘hello’ or ‘it's nice to hear from you’, Willie’s mother wasn’t one for such formalities when speaking with her son “-what have you done?!” 

 

Willie shook as his mom’s voice grew increasingly accusatory, but he attempted to quickly recover as if to show Simon his resolve or rather dedication to their relationship. 

 

“Hello, mother. If you’ll give me a little more context…”

 

“Your relationship with that boy has been plastered everywhere!”

 

“ ‘ That boy ’ has a name. It’s Simon. And is this about the dance?”

 

“Open up your phone, son.”

 

The call drew silent as Wilhelm obeyed his mother’s command. As soon as he opened the front page of safari, news of not only his dance with Simon but also a slew of intimate, grainy photos of them, assaulted his screen. Willie beckoned the other boy with his finger to peer over his shoulder. Simon’s face blanched as he coughed to avoid cursing with the queen on the phone.  

“I see, mother…”

 

“You are to deny this. I’m contacting possible suitors as we speak and PR is developing a statement.”

 

“No, I’m not. This is ridiculous; I danced with him last night. No one is going to buy it.”

 

“We’ll spin it as a bromance of sorts.”

 

“Why are you so desperate for me to hide this?”

“You are the crown prince. Sweden’s future monarch can not be gay.” The queen spat out the last words as if it were sinful to even speak them. The tone caused Willie to flinch and Simon to grab the boy’s arm in comfort. 

 

This was so messy, the curly-haired boy stressed. His plan failed. Marcus must have grown tired of waiting and released it. Now he had to explain to Willie who now has to face his mother because of him.

 

“Sweden is one of the most progressive countries, and even if it wasn’t I’ve sacrificed everything for the public, for you mother and I draw the line at this. I’m queer, mother. No amount of arranged relations with aristocratic women will change that.”

 

“What has gotten into you? This crown is not a punishment, Eric would never-”

 

Willie closed his phone with an awarding snap and curled into the boy next to him.

 

“Simon…please don’t leave me” He choked out between sobs.

 

“I’m not- I won’t…I’m so sorry darling” Simon dragged his fingers through the prince’s hair. “Let’s go back to the couch?”, he offered gently, “sadly you’ve got yourself a stick for a boyfriend and I can’t just carry you there myself.”

 

Willie snorted, “You’re perfect as you are.”

 

“Come here, you sap. I owe you an explanation.”

 

The two made it back to the couch, Simon reaching over to hand Willie his albeit now cold tea. He placed the taller boy’s head in his lap, letting him lay almost entirely in his lap and surrounding him in his arms. Willie still shook intermittently while trying to recover from the whiplash of emotions this morning. 

“Willie, I never wanted to break up with you.”

 

“I’d understand if you wanted to run now, though…”

Simon tightened his embrace, “Hey! Stop that. I want this, love.”

 

“I…I have something that I was too scared to say anything about, though” Simon continued, carefully enunciating every syllable. 

 

Willie hummed in response, giving his boyfriend room to speak.

 

“Marcus texted me the morning after our first date…a week ago.” Simon felt Willie stiffen beneath him, “I think he took all of those photos, Willie…he…he told me that he would release them if I didn’t break up with you.” 

 

Willie sat up in confusion, “What the fuck? Why?”

 

“He thought that I was with you for publicity.”

 

“I’m going to kill him. You have the messages?”

“I-he did most of it through a phone call…”

 

“I’m calling my mother. “

 

“It's fine, love…I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you” he looked down, avoiding Willie’s gaze.

 

The prince grabbed his chin, bringing his face forward, “You didn’t do anything wrong. He scared you…I of course think that we need to make sure we’re communicating, but this…this is solely his fault.” 

 

“I love you…” He placed his head into Willie’s chest.

 

“I love you.” Willie smiled as he rested his head on top of Simon’s, “Here’s what we’re going to do: I’m going to call my mom, so we can go after Marcus, and you’re going to stay off of your phone for now. We should probably privatize your social media for now…”

 

“Goodness…”

 

Willie chuckled as placed a kiss on the mess of curls atop Simon’s head. 

 

“Mother?” The queen picked up quickly

 

“Did you come to your senses?”

“I know who’s behind the photos. It was Simon’s ex, Marcus-”

 

“I’m well informed. He was paid to do so…”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“I noticed you’ve been rather tentative and focused, so I wanted to make sure it wasn’t because of some alternative issue in your life. And good thing I did.”

 

“So you outed Simon and I’s relationship because I was doing a good job?!”

 

“Come on, now…”

 

“I can’t believe you. Schedule a meeting with PR. I’ll see to this issue myself, mother. I don’t want the statement to have anything to do with you.”

 

“Do you forget who you’re speaking with?”

 

“My apologies, your Majesty, but I must remind you that I am your only option at this point. I will abdicate if you have any further influence on my coming out. Thank you for your time and please don’t forget to notify me when my meeting is.”

 

“Holy shit, I just did that-”

 

“You did! Oh my goodness, Willie!” Simon leaned up to pepper his face with kisses, “You are so strong”

 

“I can’t believe…” He smiled at his boyfriend, feeling nothing but euphoria. 



The two spent the rest of the day recovering from the overwhelming emotions of the morning on the couch fully intertwined into one another’s embrace.

 

“So where do we go from here?”

 

Simon yawned, half-awake, “hmm?”

 

“I mean, I’m going to come out, and everyone is going to know about us…”

 

“Yes…”

 

“Do you want me to officially court you?” His cheeks burned.

 

Simon laughed in response.

“Simon, I’m being serious!! If it's too soon for all of that it's okay, but-”

 

“Darling,” Simon now sat up on his elbows, “I laughed because it sounds so archaic…I knew what I was getting into with you…and I think even if it wasn’t entirely of our own volition, we’ve overcome your mother, the press, and so now, you’re stuck with me whether you like it or not.”

 

“Damn. I was hoping I could use this as an excuse to leave you once and for all”

 

“Oh hush you. I guess I’ll just decline your offer then, your Highness.” Simon laughed, pushing against the prince’s shoulders, “In all seriousness, yes you can court me, Willie. We probably should speak to mom and Sara, first though.”

 

“I would love to finally meet them!”

 

Simon blushed at Willie’s unabashed happiness, pulling him in for a chaste kiss.

 

“What was that for?”

 

“You were being cute!”

 

Willie and Simon basked in the joy of the moment, hoping that after all the chaos they could simply juts be them, without Marcs, the queen, or cameras. 

Notes:

one more to go! and then, a super fluffy epilogue!

Chapter 9: revenge era ft hydrangeas

Notes:

FINALLY i had a really hard time getting back to this one, but here it is! stay on the lookout for the epilogue!

Chapter Text

 

“Willie, you really don’t have to do this, love,” Simon begged his boyfriend, reaching for the hand that currently held the cell phone.

 

“That asshole deserves more than this, but if my mother won't act then the least I could do is this.”

 

The phone rang twice before the recipient responded.

 

“...Hello? Who is this?”

 

“Hi, Marcus, was it?”

 

“Yeah but-”

 

“This is Crown Prince Wilhelm!”

 

“Oh, to what honor do I owe this call, your highness?”

 

“No need for such formalities when just a few days ago you so kindly threatened my boyfriend.”

 

“If that’s what this is about, I’m sorry I-”

 

“I want you to apologize to Simon, not me.”

 

“But I-”

 

“That was a direct order, Marcus.”

 

Simon snickered at his boyfriend’s tone. Who knew his royalness could be so…that?

 

“This is absurd.”

 

“Did I not just say that it was an order? I didn’t ask for your opinion.”

 

“Whatever. I’m sorry, Simon.”

 

“Hmm…I don’t think that was genuine enough. Again.”

 

“I’m sorry, Simon.”

 

“That’ll have to do, but don’t think that this is it. I’m going to use the most of my power to get your repentance for the damage you’ve done to Simon. Until then, you are never to contact him again. Is that clear?”

 

“Crystal…” Marcus whimpered.

 

“Perfect.”

 

The call dropped and when Simon made eye contact with the prince the two couldn’t help but erupt in uncontrollable laughter. 

 

“I can’t believe you did that!”

 

“Me neither”



Willie curled into Simon’s lap as the smaller boy ran his finger through his grown-out hair. Their stomachs hurt from giggles. The sun cast light across the planes of their faces, leaving the room with a glowing ambiance as if it agreed that the pair belonged with one another. This to them was a final moment of peace before they would face the public directly, tackle the royal court and the queen, and introduce Simon as a soon-to-be member of the royal family, yet it all seemed minute. Remnants of earlier moments in their relationship, the trials of their childhood, everything rang out, reminding the boys that they could face anything. Their love was worth it; it was just a matter of vaulting determination. 

 

Simon spent another night at Willie’s place curled into the boy as if it was completely second nature now. However, the next few days would be anything but. Willie lined up PR meetings for the two to announce their relationship, and Simon was in a different dimension. He hadn’t expected to get this far with anyone after the travesty that was his relationship with Marcus, much less a prince. He supposed that the idea of being permanently tied to Willie, and thus an institution that he made clear his hatred of, would be frightening, but in this moment, he could only find comfort in it. He struggled throughout the last week to come to terms with losing his love. He knew he would value Willie’s happiness over his own, and now he knew that living without the prince was impossible. Everything surrounding them was scary. Willie meeting his mother and Sara, Simon facing the Queen, PR, and the general public, and overall inevitable opposition- that was scary, but never Willie. Therefore, he would do everything for him.

 

In their physical touch, a language the two forged together, Simon could feel that Willie reciprocated, He knew just how much the prince sacrificed by being with a boy, by being with someone outside of aristocracy, someone not white, and while Simon was everything he shouldn’t pursue, Willie didn’t care. His boyfriend lacked the old-guard views his mother so desperately clung to. Simon had security even in something so turbulent. That's how he knew going public was the right thing to do. 

 

“Simon?” The heir rolled over, capturing the smaller boy in his iron grip embrace. 

 

“Good morning, love,” Simon ruffled the hair which now fell over his face while he leaned into the taller boy.

 

“Are you ready to do this?”

 

“Of course”

 

“And you’re completely sure…I’d understand-its a lot, and after this, you’d be an indisputable, permanent entanglement of mine.”

 

“I’m sure, Willie,” Simon pulled away to turn and face him directly, balancing on his elbows, “I’m in love with you. I feel…safe with you; you’re-you’re my home, darling, and if being able to be free with you requires public scrutiny, for you I’d do it a thousand times.”

 

“I-” The prince froze. The only response he could conjure was to pull the smaller boy into another tight embrace, digging his fingers into soft curls. He leaned down to place a kiss atop his head and whispered gently, “you must know that I- I love you…and I think- well I know that I won’t regret any part of this…”

 

“You dork…” 

 


Admittedly, Simon forgot that meetings require a lot of effort. He had to wear a suit- and not one of the scandalous variety that he so adored, just a stupid basic black one, wake up excruciatingly early, why must they be at the palace at six in the morning , and deal with faintly hidden, hateful comments thrown at him. If Willie hadn’t brought him to a coffee shop, he doesn’t know if he’d even be able to take it. 

 

“So your highness, we’ve determined a few favorable options and felt that we must remind you that we can still cover this up.” A woman in a dusty blazer who Simon has come to know as Minou spoke up.

 

“I thought I made it abundantly clear of how I wished to proceed.” Willie barely masked his anger.

 

“Of course, my apologies…” She visibly recoiled and continued clinically, “as you know, we will need Mr. Eriksson to sign an NDA before we continue on to the public statement the team has drawn up.”

 

Willie looked over to his boyfriend, letting him voice any objections.

 

“I would like to have a lawyer do that with me if that’s alright.”

 

Minou nodded curtly before Willie leaned over and offered to provide one for his boyfriend. 

 

“It wouldn’t be one of the royal court-appointed ones, I promise” Willie whispered into Simon’s ear.

 

“I’d appreciate that, love.”  

 

Willie slipped a kiss on the inside of Simon’s wrist, on the pulse point as he bathed in the feeling of simply being allowed to do that. 

 

Minou coughed, “Let’s get that matter settled immediately then.”

 

“Of course”

 


It’d taken Willie, Simon, and a lawyer nearly three hours to comb through the manuscript-sized legal document. It was so unlike the other paperwork Willie had seen with so many tedious clauses and agreements for no reason other than its recipient being Simon.

 

“You can’t sign this, Simon…”

 

“I- but don’t I have to” He stuttered. There were a bunch of ridiculous contingencies listed from keeping family secrets to not posting a picture in the vicinity of the palace, but in comparison to the whole Marcus endeavor, Simon saw it as minimal. 

 

“If you sign this, you literally can't post a picture where even any part of me is visible. You can’t talk about Marcus, the pictures…I trust you. There’s no reason this should be so extensive.”

 

Willie gestured for the staff to call back in Minou before turning back to his boyfriend, “No one has to sign anything this long. Therefore you are not.”

 

“You’re right…I just didn’t want to ruin anything…”

 

“I won’t let a stupid NDA come in our way. This is just a last-ditch effort made by my mother to either silence you or run you off.”

 

“Is something wrong, your highness?”

 

Willie retrieved the previously thrown booklet and began to rip it to shreds. 

 

“I’d like a revised NDA. I refuse to allow Simon to sign this.”

 

“You must understand that this is standard procedure-”

 

Willie cut her off. He was not having this. He stood up, propping his weight onto the table by the meat of his palm, giving the illusion of a lion after his prey, “Cut the crap, Minou. No one has ever had to sign something that long. I want the standard NDA for anyone dating the royal family. The same thing which Erik’s partner would have received.”

 

“I was under direct-”

 

“Make it happen or relay the issue to my mother. He’s not signing it. End of discussion.”

 

Willie grasped Simon's hand, rumbling circles into his knuckles. The day had only just begun and his loving boyfriend was already rubbing the stress lines on his forehead above his brows. Simon could do nothing but provide physical affection, hoping it would soothe some of his anxiety.

 

The two forged onward and Willie managed to pull them out of the shitty situation for the most part. However, the biggest beast still lies. Willie and Simon had to attend a lunch with the Queen so she could ‘meet’ him. Both of them were well aware that this would be her last attempt to scare the boy off but were well prepared. 


Simon and Willie stopped by the latter’s room to freshen up and recoup some of their lost energy. Kissing after what felt like months soothed most of their anxieties, yet Simon still shook. Willie ran a hand along his back before turning the smaller boy to face him. He steadied Simon by the shoulders as he squared them to meet him evenly. When he reached for his cheeks, Simon pressed his head against the prince's palm, and the two stood there, admiring the other. In the midst of their chaotic day, the two knew they had each other. They could rely on the depths of their eyes to find calm in the storm surrounding them, and something between them sang revolution. Sparks flew around them, and to both of them, it was enough for the boys to sacrifice it all. Even if it all meant Simon’s sanity.

 

“Darling…” Simon leaned onto Willie’s shoulder, “I don’t know if I can deal with any more of this shit.”

 

The prince’s hand drowned itself in the sea of curls on the other boy’s head, “I know…but after today you and I can cuddle all night. We just have to get through this meal with my mom.”

 

“You say that as if your mom isn’t the queen of Sweden. “

 

“And you say that as if you’re not dating the crown prince.”

 

“That’s different.”

 

Willie deadpanned. “How?” he squawked in indignation.

 

“You’re you…”

 

“Love…” Willie pulled the smaller boy from his shoulder, “that makes zero sense.”

 

“You know I don’t see you like that,” he grabbed the prince's hand into his own. 

 

“Whatever you say, let’s get you ready…”

 


 

“So Simon, what exactly are you trying to get out of this ‘arrangement’ with my son?”

Kristina picked up her fork to continue eating as if she hadn’t just accused him of gold-digging.

 

Lunch was going as well as Simon thought it would. The queen continued to berate him, but it was clear that she didn't understand their relationship in the slightest.

 

“Nothing,” he answered honestly, “I met Willie when I was in a bad place mentally, and he was there for me. Then, the rest is history.”

 

“Hmm..” she was clearly unimpressed with his answer. “Then, why go public?”

 

“Mother.” Willie cut in, “You’re the one who paid his ex to expose us. The press already knew; why deny the truth?”

 

“It's just so…unbecoming for a prince to date someone like this.”

 

“You mean a boy?” Willie’s eyebrow shot up as he challenged his mother.

 

“Excuse me. You will not speak to me that way or accuse me of such. You met this boy in a nightclub for god’s sake, sue me for being concerned.”

 

“How do you even know that?”

 

Simon sunk into himself as the two fought it out. It was the first time in their relationship that Simon could see how much Willie resembled his mother. In the way his tongue jutted out when he was concentrating or the way his face scrunched when he was mad, even the timbre of his raised voice, it was all so much like his mother, but he was still completely different. He saw the sparking tension between the two as their differences came to the forefront. It was clear that Willie was far more modern than his mother, and his ferocity showed how he would shine as a king. Simon felt proud of his boyfriend and knew that even if she had some terrible parenting methods, Kristina had to see Willie’s strength.

 

“Fine. I apologize, clearly, I’ve misread this situation. I’ll-I’d like to start over.”

 

Shocked overtook Willie’s face as he quickly attempted to close his gaped jaw before his mother could scold him.

 

Simon simply took place and offered his hand to the Queen. “It’s nice to meet you, your Majesty.” He plastered on a forced smile.

 

“Likewise Mr. Erikkson.”

 


 

After getting to know the Queen more closely the two boys were finally able to spend some time alone.

 

“I wanted to show you another place…”

 

“Sure! But after I want my promised cuddles because I’m exhausted.”

 

Willie chuckled at him, smiling while he grabbed his boyfriend’s hand. He started to run without any warning which pulled the smaller boy along, nearly causing him to lose his balance.

 

“Willie!”

 

“Come on slowpoke.” He dropped his hand and bolted.

 

Simon raced after him, but the taller boy had the clear advantage with longer legs and knowing the palace like the back of his hand. Eventually, Simon thought he lost his partner, and he whipped his head back and forth, sighing in desperation before he was abruptly tackled to the ground. Simon’s back met the grassy exterior of the palace as his boyfriend fell on top of him. Willie rolls next to him, and the two burst into laughter. 

 

“You are such a little shit!” Simon cried and he turned to hide his laughter on the side of Willie’s shoulder.

 

“But I’m yours!”

 

Simon’s “shut up” is muffled by the fabric of Willie’s dress shirt. 

 

“So this is my personal garden…” the prince gestured from the grass, “it used to be more of a hands-on project for me until I moved into my apartment, but I guess, it was an escape for me.”

 

“Aw mi amor, it's beautiful,” Simon sat up to inspect the rows of hydrangeas, summer flowers, and fruits. The plants around him showed Simon a new facet of Willie. The spectacle held another portion of Willie’s past, and he could help, but soak it in. 

 

Willie simply hugged Simon, pulling the smaller boy as close as possible.

 

“I really appreciate you dealing with my world today.”

 

“Our word”

 

“Huh?”

 

“This,” Simon gestured in the air, “is both of our problems now. I’m not going anywhere, love.”

 

Willie pressed a kiss into Simon’s neck, wrapping his arms tighter, “you’re perfect.”

 

There, surrounded by the beauty of nature, the boys decompressed from their strenuous day and fell into mutual daydreams about their future. They shared lingering touches, and chaste kisses, and bathed in the light of the sun. No longer did the two have to fear the click of a camera. No longer did they have to fear Willie’s reputation. They simply could enjoy the security and freedom of one another’s company. They began to win over the queen. Willie proved his progress, and Simon is officially 100% over Marcus; all that was left for the two to accomplish today was Willie making good on his promise of cuddles, and with that knowledge, the two slept soundly. 

Chapter 10: epilogue

Notes:

yes im finally back to finish this! I cannot wait to give this universe its proper end and to wish this fic goodbye

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Just outside his dressing room stood thousands of his subjects, foreign officials, distant relatives, and his team that supported him since he was a child, gathered in huddled masses to partake in this historical moment. It felt wrong to Willie in a way. He was far from the stringy teen that cowered under his mother’s pressure, but was he truly ready for this? The second he steps into the throne room he’d be fully stepping into his late brother’s place- the title that was never his to claim; the very one he’s disgraced over the years of scandals. It was overwhelming, yet his body, also, buzzed in strange anticipation. With his wealth and power, Willie could be a respectable ruler and make a difference. Willie was tired of being viewed as a useless figurehead, of dated traditions that perpetuated a stagnate, moderate political stance. He wanted to set new precedents. He wanted to start a revolution.

 

Willie finally pushed back from the counter, glancing one last time before fighting the urge to run his fingers through his recently clipped hair. He nodded to Malin and breathed his final breath as crown prince. 

 

Immediately, he’s embraced by a crowd of Swedes as he flanks his royal guard endowed in bright blue uniforms, gilded helmets, and rifles. They march to their place on the left of the throne, leaving Willie with mere steps from holding the proverbial weight of his country. He glanced behind him at his mother and father before meeting the gaze of none other than his fiance- the man who’s been with him through the entire painstakingly draining transition of power. His nerves even cooled when he saw the infectious smile radiating from his lover’s face as he turned toward his subjects.

 

There had been countless times before his coronation when Willie stood alone in the cold emptiness of the throne room. He has stared at the vacant throne. He’s questioned his worthiness, his right to even step foot in a place full of such important history. His eyes scaled the statues and admired the beauty of the regency evident in the architecture. How could he claim this artifact? However, with Simon beside him, he was ready to earn his birthright, honor Erik, and serve his people. He had to show his people acceptance. He wanted to stand tall as the first blatantly queer King. 

 

Wilhelm leaned towards the microphone, throwing his prepared speech to the side as he cleared his throat abruptly.

 

“I’d like to first thank everyone in attendance this evening and offer a promise to my people… From my youth to even now, it’s been fairly obvious that I didn’t fit the same princely mold, my dear brother, Erik, had- I wasn’t the man expected of me. At first, it was overwhelming… I feared making mistakes, and I thought… I thought I had to become a different person. With age and the help of my loved ones, though, I’ve learned how to find strength through being my true self. I wanted to offer the same for everyone. I wanted to encourage all to be themselves and enact a reign of acceptance and transparency…”

 

The soon-to-be king finished his speech before taking his seat on the silver throne. He placed three fingers on the bible and took the oath to his people. He is versed with a scepter in his right hand and they placed an orb in his left as a crown atop his head. The state official announced Willie’s new title and his tears threaten to fall. He looked at Simon, the love of his life and the only reason he could make it this far, and beamed with the choir’s song reverberating against the walls, their vibrations filling the room with a sense of whimsical legitimacy. Then is when Simon would have also been crowned alongside Wilhelm, but the two elected to get married after the coronation. Both were fully committed, but neither felt it had been their time. 

 

They filed out of the room, and Willie, as hidden as a king could be, stole Simon by the waist, spinning him gently as the two raced each other to the balcony to wave at their subjects. The two share an embrace, tightly interwoven as they peer at the profuse support. 

 

“Simon”

 

The king raised his eyes to meet his lover; “Thank you…” Willie nuzzled into Simon’s neck, peppering the back of his neck with soft kisses.

 

Simon quickly flipped to face Willie, leaning his back against the railing. He brought his head to Willie’s chest and let his tears stain the king’s exorbitant suit. 

 

“You..”

Simon peeled himself just mere inches away from his fiance to grab his face. His fingers rested on his jaw, forcing the two to maintain direct eye contact, but before he could finish his sentence, Simon’s face pulled into a ridiculously wide smile as his pride poured out from his body.

 

“You are incredibly strong… I couldn’t be any more proud of you right now.”

 

He enunciated each word with a kiss on Willie’s cheek, jaw, and neck. This broke the dam and Willie’s tears whelmed, shattering his stoic facade. 

 

“Who knew?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Who knew that a random night out would bring me to you?” Willie smiled.

 

Simon slapped his shoulder gently before half crying and half giggling a response.

 

“We shouldn’t be having such an emotional conversation on the balcony like this…”

 

“I couldn’t care less”

 

Simon proved his statement as the two melted into a kiss. His hand supported the king’s cheek while the other held his waist while Willie held around the small of the singer’s back. Simon stood on his tippy toes, fully lost in their proximity. The two knew how much ridicule they’d face for their blatant disregard of modesty, but neither could care. This moment was precious- golden. Their unorthodox meeting at a nightclub, late-night giggles, and less-than-pleasant outing hurled the two through so many trials while also bringing them impossibly close. Somehow, even while surrounded by hundreds of Swedes on a far from a private balcony the two found stillness. It was just the two of them.









Bonus:

 

The couple sat side-by-side at the celebratory dinner, hooking their ankles under the table and occasionally grazing elbows. Once again, the two fell in their own world before Willie’s mother coughed for their attention.

 

“So son? Tell me why the hell do we bother writing your speeches if you’re only going to go off script?!”

Notes:

i can not express enough gratitude to those who've made it this far! Thank you for reading and thank you to those who've commented on nearly every chapter- this has been a rough project and I'm hoping to continue to improve along the way.

I hope that y'all will continue to read my new content and that i've done it justice with this epilogue haha

KING WILMON AM I RIGHT? sorry abdication truthers but this epilogue is extremely self-indulgent *yawn*

Notes:

Thanks for reading!! I've already mapped out the plot line, so I'm going to try to make this series consist of ten weekly installments. I enjoy reading and replying to comments so please feel free to leave some!! I'm super obsessed with this series and relationship, so I would love to talk to some fellow fans. That's all for now! I look forward to returning with the next segment!

edit:// I've made a yr twitter fan account where if you all would like, I can post updates as I write!! (it's readingrudberry !)