Actions

Work Header

Football Dreams

Summary:

After years of playing second fiddle to his twin brother, "Superboy" Jordan Kent, Jonathan is looking for a change and starts teaching science at a high school. When Jon is offered the job of head football coach, he is ecstatic. But how will the coaches and community members react? How will his own parents feel?

Join Jonathan Kent as he sets out to carve a new path and tries to prove to his family, and friends that even though he doesn't have powers, he is still good enough to lead a team to victory one more time.

***Updates on the weekends***

Notes:

Hey all, so I've had this story in mind for a while, and I thought it was about time to post it and see what everyone thinks. It has been so fun reading all the stories that explore the different careers Jon could have one day. In this story, Jon is a teacher and football coach!

I know in the show he is probably going to lean away from that, which makes sense. But I felt that since it was a part of his life for so long, that it was possible Jon might be drawn back to it one day.

There will be plenty of fun original characters for Jon to interact with, as well as appearances and mentions of all your favorite Kent family members.

Hope you enjoy. Thanks for reading. Please leave a comment below because I would to hear your thoughts :)

-Rose

Chapter 1: The Meeting

Chapter Text

Jonathan Kent strolled down the empty halls of Richardson High School, wondering what he had done to get called to the principal’s office after only a week of school. 

 

Of course, he was 23 now, and working there as a teacher, so it wasn’t quite the same as being a student. But still, he was concerned.

 

In a few minutes Jon had a meeting with the principal, Mr. Kyle Sawyer, a man who was tall in stature but quick to smile. They had hit it off right away and Jon had liked him immediately. He was immensely grateful to the principal for giving him a chance, even though he was fresh out of college. But the appreciation went both ways. Kyle was excited to add such a motivated, but easygoing staff member to his school. 

 

As a plus, Jon happily stepped in as their new assistant football coach, which was a position they had been trying to fill.

 

Even though he was young, Jon felt that he had done a good job so far. The students seemed to respect and get along with him. His lesson plans were always complete and detailed. In short, Jon had a great case to be employee of the month.

 

Which is why it was alarming that he had gotten a text from the principal the previous night requesting a meeting with him before school that next Monday morning.

 

Instead of sleeping, he had spent several hours  worrying and wracking his brain, trying to come up with what he might have done wrong. His conclusion: nothing.

 

As he passed through the empty halls that sported posters for musical tryouts and homecoming committee, Jon couldn’t help but remember his own time in high school. As a kid, he had figured they would be some of the best years of his life. 

 

But finding out his dad was Superman and moving to Smallville changed all that. Plus, after the X-K mess, Jon never gained back the stellar reputation he once had in Metropolis. 

 

In fact, he worked tirelessly for the next few years trying to convince the closed minded citizens of Smallville that he wasn’t all bad; a feat he never quite achieved.

 

When he had left for college, Jon assumed he was done with football. But he needed to get a job and after three years of customer service he wanted a change. As luck would have it, Jon ended up working for a local football team, mostly assisting the head coach with menial tasks like checking out uniforms and equipment, paperwork, or filling water bottles. 

 

But it was a job that kept him involved with a game he had loved since he could walk. Plus, it gave him something else to think about besides his twin brother flying all over the world as Superboy.

 

Jon was invited back the next year and having some tenure by then, got the opportunity to watch film with the coaches and actually work with some players. The coach was especially pleased when Jon announced he had switched his major to education so he could coach football. He claimed that Jon was a natural and his future students would be lucky to have him.

 

And now, four years later, Jon was teaching full time, working as an assistant coach, and hoping he hadn’t done anything to screw up the job he had quickly fallen in love with.

 

Standing outside the principal’s door, Jon forced himself to relax. Kyle Sawyer was a cool guy, and whatever the problem was, it could be worked out. 

 

He hoped.

 

“Come on in,” Kyle said, after Jon hesitantly knocked on the door. The principal was sitting at his large, wooden desk. It was covered with a mix of family photos and sports trophies; Kyle was sentimental like that.

 

“Jon Kent,” he bellowed, standing up for a hand shake. “How are you this morning?”

 

“Just fine, sir,” Jon answered, trying to remind himself to be confident. After all, he hadn’t done anything wrong.

 

“Good, good. Sit down, son.” Jon took a seat, Kyle did the same. “Thanks so much for meeting me early like this.”

 

“It’s no problem sir,” Jon said, pasting a smile on his face, hoping it was convincing.

 

“I appreciate you being so flexible, especially during a difficult situation like this,” Kyle said, his smile faltering.

 

 Jon’s heart dropped. This could not be happening. “A situation like what, sir?”

 

“I’m sorry to have to tell you this…”

 

Jon’s pulse beat faster.

 

“Coach Mason had a stroke yesterday.”

 

Jon raised his eyebrows. Coach Mason was the head football coach. “Is he alright?”

 

“His wife told me it was a little touch and go for a while, but yes, he has a good chance to make a full recovery.”

 

Jonathan let out a deep sigh. “Well that’s good.”  Coach Mason was a perfect fit for the world of high school football. He was gruff, disciplined, had a booming voice, and above all, very passionate about the sport. In addition, he was fair to the players and welcomed Jon to his staff with open arms. Jon was sorry to see the man hurt. “What does his recovery process look like?”

 

“Once he gets out of the hospital, a lot of rehab, relearning to talk and use the left side of his body.”

 

“Oh wow,” Jon said, genuinely surprised that the stroke had done that much in such a short amount of time.

 

“Yeah, he’s got a long road ahead and everybody here at the school is going to do whatever they can to help.”

 

Jon nodded. “Yes, sir. Absolutely, of course.”

 

“Which brings me to why I called you in this morning,” Kyle leaned forward in his seat. “I need somebody to take over as head football coach. And I’d like to offer you the job.”

 

Jon’s jaw dropped. He was just 23. School had only been in session for a week. He didn’t have any experience.

 

“Me, sir?”

 

“Yes, you, Jon. You’ve done great work here and you know the sport backwards and forwards. It’s a big favor to ask, I know, but we really need someone to step in.”

 

Still baffled, Jon needed more information. “Well, wouldn’t one of the other assistant coaches be better? I mean they’re older and have been here way longer.”

 

Kyle nodded in agreement. “That’s true, but the others are only on the coaching staff. The school board passed a rule last year that all head coaches have to be full time teachers. There are a lot of reasons and the red tape makes my brain hurt.” Kyle rolled his eyes as if the school board was more of an inconvenience than helpful.

 

“The point is, if we tried to put in one of the assistants, the school board could halt the season, postpone it, or even cancel it if we don’t follow the rules. Considering the kids did nothing wrong I don’t think that’s fair to them. Which brings us back to you.”

 

Jon’s brain was running a million miles a minute. He thought the meeting would be to talk about some disciplinary action, and instead he was being offered the chance at being a head coach; to lead a group of talented young guys to victory and to be in the spotlight again.

 

He wasn’t vain about wanting to receive attention,  but it was a chance to show his parents he was doing something right here at Richardson, and that even though he didn’t have superpowers, he could make a difference in his own way.

 

When he first announced his career choice, his parents were both very much against it. Lois, of course, was worried about Jon moving away from the family and being alone, especially given that he would have to handle the family secret and responsibilities by himself. Jon had tried to convince her that he would be fine, that it was healthy to branch away from your parents. 

 

Lois still worried.

 

Meanwhile, Clark was disappointed because being a teacher was about as different from the “family business” as possible. Jon had worked with Lara and been a lot of help at the Fortress over the years, which his dad had tried to remind him of. He encouraged Jon to maybe go down the engineering or mechanical route and settle down in Smallville; that was the last thing Jon wanted.

 

The truth was, after playing second fiddle to Jordan throughout high school and college, Jon needed to feel good at something again, to be important, and not just what was left over. 

 

And not just to be a part of a team, but the head coach? Well, that was a dream, a dream bigger than he had allowed himself in years.

 

“Well, Jon, what do you think? Many of the other teachers are bogged down with different projects. Plus, I’m told you built a great rapport with the team and really know what you’re doing. So what do you say? Do you wanna be the new head football coach at Richardson High School?”

 

After years of trying to find his place again, being smothered under his dad’s shadow and being the powerless, screw-up twin, Jonathan Kent finally had a shot to accomplish something worthwhile again.

 

 Sure, it would be hard work, and probably more challenging than anything he had ever taken on. There might be flack from the parents and coaches who didn’t think he was qualified. And his own parents probably wouldn’t like it.

 

Basically, there were a thousand reasons to say no. But at that moment, only one answer came out of his mouth.

 

“It would be an honor sir.”

Chapter 2: Helpful Advice

Summary:

While Jon is stressing about his first practice as head coach, a special call from a certain super powered brother may save the day.

Notes:

Hey all, we are approaching the weekend, that means updates! I'm hoping to get a few chapters out over the next few days, but we will see what happens. This chapter is fun and allows us to see into Jon's mind before he heads into practice. There is also an appearance by a certain member of the Kent family that Jon is pretty close to...

Hope you all enjoy! Thanks for reading and leave a comment below :)

Chapter Text

For the fifth time in two minutes, Jon looked down at his watch. He didn’t have long before it was time for football practice and he was terrified.

 

The school wasn’t that big so somehow the news had gotten around that something had happened to Coach Mason. Jon had refused to answer any questions until practice, but his students had their suspicions.

 

Jon was in his office, taking the last few minutes of his afternoon free period to go over plays and make notes about what he wanted to do in practice that day. As head coach, he got to make all those decisions, so he wanted to be prepared.

 

After going over the offensive drills for the millionth time, he saw his phone was ringing. He glanced down at the name.

 

Jordan.

 

Jon furrowed his brow. If his twin was calling at a random time of the day it was usually for a couple reasons. 

Option 1: he was having problems with his anxiety or a panic attack, and was calling because Jon was good at calming him down. 

Option 2: he had just made it out of a dangerous rescue and wanted Jon to know he was okay. 

Option 3: the call was about something random, like what Jon wanted for his birthday or if he could make the pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving so Lois wouldn’t try and fail to make the dessert.

 

Jonathan tapped his phone to answer, then held it up to his ear. “Hey, Jor. What’s up?”

 

“Are you okay?” The question came immediately and with a sense of urgency.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Jon answered nonchalantly. “Why do you ask?”

 

“Oh. Um. No reason.” For a guy who lied professionally about his true identity, he was pretty transparent around his twin. “Listen man, are you sure everything is okay?”

 

Jonathan sighed. Now that his brother was Superboy, he was more aware of devious plots and sometimes forgot to clue Jon in on the stuff he should be concerned about. “Yes, is there something going on in the area I should know?”

 

“What? No, nothing like that. It’s just…well your heartbeat was racing really fast several times today, so I wanted to check in and see–”

 

“Jordan, I thought we talked about you listening in on my conversations.”

 

“I didn’t hear anything you talked about,” Jordan protested. “I know you like your privacy so I blocked it out.”

 

Jon leaned back against his leather office chair. “Yet you still heard my heartbeat.”

 

“Well, yeah, I can’t really help it. I’ve been listening to your heart since before we were born. So I’m more in tune with it than other sounds. Sue me.”

 

Jon chuckled. His brother had matured in a lot of ways, but he could still get quickly fired up if you knew what buttons to push. “Alright, alright, that’s fair. I see your point.”

 

Jordan let out a sigh. “Good, I appreciate it. Now you wanna tell me why your heart’s been beating so fast today?”

 

Jon rolled his eyes. No matter how far apart they were, or how long they had been separated, they were still twins. And when Jordan thought something was wrong with Jon, his twin radar went crazy and nothing could stand in his way until he found out what it was. It’s just the way their relationship had always worked. Jon didn’t usually mind, it was nice to know somebody had his back. But on days like today, when he was just trying to figure a few things out, it was mostly annoying.

 

“It’s nothing really, just school stuff,” Jon answered vaguely, hoping his brother would let it go.

 

Jordan didn’t buy it. “You’ve been in school for a week and your heartbeat hasn’t raced this much, not even on the first day.”

 

“You know, I get the whole twin closeness thing, but it’s kind of creepy that you know that.”

 

“Maybe, but you're still avoiding the question.”

 

Damn. Jordan could be so stubborn sometimes, just like Lois. He could also read Jon like a book. Whether it was in person, talking on the phone, or even over text, Jordan always knew when something was up with his brother. Jon was the same way of course, but Jordan’s powers allowed him to be more attuned to his twin so sometimes it seemed like he had a bit of an advantage.

 

“Dude, it’s nothing, just football stuff.”

 

Jordan paused for a moment, then asked, “What’s going on with football.”

 

Jon resisted the urge to roll his eyes again. Nobody admitted it, but Jon’s whole family was nervous when he got into football again, as if he hadn’t learned his lesson with the X-K almost eight years ago. Even though he wasn’t a player anymore, it seemed like they were worried that he would be tempted in some way and go down a dark path once again. They never shared their fears with Jon, but he was pretty intuitive as well, and put the pieces together.

 

“Nothing bad, man, I swear. I’m just nervous about how the kids will handle some changes at practice today,” Jon answered, telling a version of the truth.

 

“Really,” Jordan asked in disbelief. “That’s it?”

 

Jon got up from his desk chair and combed through his golden curls in frustration. This was why he didn’t like talking football with his family anymore. They didn’t see how important it was to him and Jon was tired of explaining it.

 

“Yes, Jordan, that’s what’s going on.” Jon began pacing back and forth in his tiny office. “I know it’s not as exciting as saving the president from a burning building, but it’s important to me. So, yes, that’s what I’m worried about.”

 

“Dude, I never said it wasn’t important, I’m just surprised that’s what has you so worried. The way your heart was racing, I thought something really scary or bad must have happened.” 

 

Once again, Jordan was right, even though he didn’t know it. Though he was honored to have the opportunity of head coach, Jon was terrified to go out and face the players that afternoon.

 

“Sorry to disappoint. Just football stuff.”

 

“But you have no reason to be worried about football stuff. When it comes to the sport you’re a freaking genius.”

 

Jon stopped pacing. “Wait, what?”

 

“Yeah, man. You’ve always had such a good mind for football. The way you can see the field and put together plays. When you first told us I had no doubt that you would be an amazing coach.” Jordan’s matter of fact tone showed he wasn’t specifically trying to be nice, but that it was honestly how he felt.

 

Taken aback, Jon tried to find the words. “You’ve…never said that to me before.”

 

His twin chuckled. “Never thought I had to, I just assumed you knew.”

 

Jon moved back to his seat, now annoyed with himself that he had overreacted. Jordan really did know him better than anyone else in the world. Maybe it was time to open up a little bit. “I’m just nervous about practice today. We’re trying some different things. I actually have to lead…some of the drills and I guess I’m worried how they will respond to me.”

 

“That’s the problem?” Jordan was happy to finally have a real answer from his brother. “Dude, you don’t need to worry about that. Just be yourself. Let the players see your drive and passion for the game. If you show them that, they have no reason to be disrespectful or unreceptive.”

 

“You think it will be that easy?”

 

“Maybe not, but it’s one hell of a start.”

 

Jon allowed himself a smile. “Thanks man, that helps a lot, I really appreciate it.”

 

“No problem. Is there anything else going on?”

 

Realistically, Jon knew his brother would want to hear that he had become head coach and would genuinely be happy for him. But until he got through the first practice, Jon didn’t think it would feel completely real. “Yeah, there’s some other stuff I wanna talk to you about, but maybe later. I have to get through this practice first.”

 

The concern was back in Jordan’s voice. “Are you okay?”

 

This time Jon did roll his eyes. “Dude. Yes, I’m fine. I already told you that. But I literally have practice in five minutes and don’t have to get into another conversation.”

 

He wasn’t kidding, there really only was about five minutes until Jon needed to be on the field. So he grabbed his whistle, playbook and hat, made sure his keys were in his pocket, then shut his office door.  Finally, Jon began the long trek out to the field.

 

“Oh, yeah that makes sense,” Jordan said, the relief obvious in his voice. “I guess I got a little worried for a second.”

 

Considering that the conversation was almost over, Jon decided it was time to liven up the mood a bit. “Yeah, geez, Mom . Overprotective much?”

 

“Oh God, don’t call me that,” Jordan whined.

 

“What if I call you Dad? You’re so much like him these days.” Jon countered, knowing that would rile his brother up even further. “Hey, what if I get you guys matching cardigans for Christmas. That could be fun.”

 

“I’m hanging up now.”

 

“Oh come on, father son cardigans, that’s like–”

 

“Goodbye, Jon.”

 

Jordan hung up the phone and Jon chuckled. His brother was super sensitive to how similar he was to their dad, but he couldn’t deny it either, which made the whole thing funnier.

 

The conversation with his twin had really helped Jonathan to relax. Jordan had given him some good advice, and apparently really believed in his skills as a coach, which meant more than Jon could say. As he felt the afternoon sun on his face, Jon knew everything would be okay, Jordan had seen to that. Even though he didn’t know the full situation, Jordan still made sure to help Jon. He always did.

 

“Thanks Jordan,” Jon whispered, knowing his brother could hear him. Sure enough, not two minutes later he got a text message from his brother. It said, 

“Any time bro.”  

 

Jon was just about to set his phone aside when he got one more text from Jordan. 

 

“But if you get me and Dad matching cardigans, I swear I will hang you from the barn rafters.

 

Jon smiled. Yep, things were going to be just fine.

Chapter 3: First Practice

Summary:

Jon tries to handle his first practice as head coach with a variety of results.

Chapter Text

Jon had called all the players in for a huddle on the field so he could tell them the big news. They were kneeling on the turf, looking up at Jon, waiting for the announcement.

 

Most of the upperclassmen had a pretty good idea of what was to come, due to how quickly gossip spread in a small school, but many of the freshmen and sophomores weren’t aware of the details. They looked up at their assistant coach, the curiosity evident on their faces.

 

Jon cleared his throat, tried to stand tall, and remembered how Jordan had encouraged him to be confident. Having his twin brother’s support was enough for Jon to get through this uncomfortable speech.

 

“Alright men, listen up, before we get started with practice today, I have some sad news to share with you all: Coach Mason had a stroke last night.”

 

Immediately there was murmuring, concern and questions from the players.

 

“The doctors are hopeful that he will make a full recovery, but it will take some time. In the meantime we still need to get through this season. Mr. Sawyer has asked me to step in as head coach, and I have accepted the position.”

 

This time, there was almost an uproar. “You can’t take Coach Mason’s job,” one player shouted. “Yeah, why do you get it, there’s other coaches,” insisted another.

 

The complaints continued:

 

“It’s not fair.”

 

“You don’t have any experience.”

 

“We don’t even know you.”

 

Then, one of the players on defense, Carson Dillin, a guy known for being loud, obnoxious and hitting hard, made one more comment. He yelled, “My dad should be the head coach, he’s been coaching longer than you’ve even been alive.”

 

That did it.

 

Jon blew the whistle until the shrieking noise forced the players to be quiet. “Alright that’s enough! Now listen, I asked Mr. Sawyer why he offered the position to me. He said there is a rule that head coaches must be full time staff members.”

 

The frustrated new head coach enunciated his words and made sure to look at each of the players so that they knew he meant business. Being the observant son of Superman, Jon had pretty much perfected his father’s intimidating thousand yard stare.

 

“And because there are so many activities in the school and limited staff members, most of the teachers are pretty booked. So it was either me, or Mr. Silas.”

 

Jon let the comment sink in as his players squirmed uncomfortably at the prospect.

 

Mr. Silas was an English teacher who was notorious for hating most modern things; the guy didn’t even have a computer. He spent all his time talking about the importance of Shakespeare and recounting his trip to the Globe Theater 30 years years ago.

 

Having him coach football would be a nightmare, mostly because he would spend most of his time reciting monologues from Macbeth or Othello instead of actually doing anything relating to football.

 

Some of the players exchanged glances, realizing maybe they shouldn’t have been so hard on Coach Kent considering who they could have had.

 

“Look, I know this is sudden, and not ideal, but let’s make the best of it,” Jon said, knowing it was time to get practice started. “Devin James, lead the team through warmups.”

 

“Yes, Coach.” Devin was their varsity running back and had seemed to get along with Jon from the beginning.

 

Devin encouraged all the players to get up and led them through their usual warm-ups. While Devin was calling out the different stretches, Jon made his way back to the sidelines to face the other coaches.

 

The whole situation was awkward because they were middle aged adults. Most of them had players on the team and had been coaching together for years. Even while Jon was an assistant coach, he still felt like an outsider. But now, having to be the head coach was going to be an uphill battle.

 

“Wow, rousing speech there, Coach ,” Steve Dillion remarked from under his breath. His son, Carson, was the one giving Jon a hard time earlier. Like father, like son, apparently.

 

“Thank you,” Jon said, ignoring the insult. “Aright guys, I wanted to work on some fundamentals today. Ted, I want you to take the offense and–”

 

“Wow, fundamentals is a big word for a kid like you, isn’t it,” Steve said, his condescending comments earned chuckles and smirks from the other coaches.

 

Channeling his dad and brother, Jon met Dave’s stare head on. “No, Steve, considering I am a college graduate, double majored in science education and mechanical engineering, I don’t think ‘fundamentals’ is a big, complicated word. A better example would be mitochondria or endoplasmic reticulum. Could you tell me what those words mean?”

 

Steve’s face reddened. He was never much of a student and had struggled to keep his grades up enough to be eligible to play football back when he had been in high school. Steve hadn’t gone to college; his parents couldn’t afford it and he wasn’t smart enough to pass his classes.

 

So being reminded of his failures by some hot shot kid who thought he knew everything mostly pissed Steve off. “No, can you tell me about being a state champion?” Steve asked, holding up his hands so his own championship rings were clearly visible.

 

It was a low blow, but Steve didn’t care, this kid needed to be taught a lesson. “Maybe you should focus less on your ego and more about listening to the people who actually know what they’re doing. Coach. ” He said the last part sarcastically, trying to take away Jon’s credibility. 

 

Steve stormed off toward the tackling dummies, angry at the turn practice had taken. Meanwhile Jon turned back to the other coaches and gave them their assignments for that practice. After seeing the way Jon efficiently handled Steve, none of the other coaches were in a rush to rock the boat. They eyed Jon cautiously and curiously. It was as if they weren’t sure if they respected him in the role necessarily, but rather, they wanted to see what he would do with it.

 

By the end of practice, when the players were running their laps, the coaches had congregated on the sidelines, away from Jon. It wouldn’t have bothered him if they weren’t looking over and pointing, or whispering in hushed voices. Jon had suspicions before, but now they were all but confirmed.

 

Couldn’t they give him a chance? It was his first day after all. Maybe they were mad the way he talked to Steve, even though the older man had started it.

 

Jon looked over at the players. They still had one lap to go but were tiring fast. Or maybe they just didn’t think their new head coach would push them.

 

They were wrong.

 

Jon was wearing sneakers, a blue polo and gym shorts, which meant that he was in the right attire to join his players on the last lap of their run.

 

So he did.

 

He tossed his whistle and clipboard on the ground and sprinted over to the players. “Come on guys, only one lap left. Let’s go!” He was yelling, his face was intense, and damn he knew how to move. The other players were surprised to see their coach not just running, but actually keeping up with them. But after the shock started wearing off, they began to run faster. If he could do it, so could they.

 

Simply, Jon’s plan worked.

 

He knew the players would be more motivated to run faster with him right next to them and encouraging them.

 

“Come on guys, we’re almost there! That’s it! Alright last few yards, let’s sprint.”

 

Jon took off, fast as a jet. He was pleased to see several of the players followed him and really pushed at the end like he had asked.

 

When they reached the end zone, the players were all breathing heavily from pushing themselves so hard. Jon walked around the group patting the guys on the backs. Then he made his way back to the front of the group.

 

“Alright men, well done. Great hustle. That’s it for today. See you all tomorrow.”

 

The players headed for the showers and Jon walked back over to the other coaches. A couple of them were surprised at Jon’s blatant display of athleticism, and Steve looked angrier than ever. Well he could suck it. Jon thought smugly. He needed to rally his team and that’s what he had done.

 

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow,” Jon said, barely acknowledging the other coaches as he jogged off the field. Sure, he needed to be able to work with them, but he had plenty of time for that. Besides, Jon had better things to do than listen to a bunch of middle aged men gossip about him.

 

“Coach, hey Coach!” Jon slowed, and turned noticing a guy waving at him from the side of the field. He made his way over to see what the newcomer wanted. “Hey man, I’m Marcus Reynolds,” he said, extending his hand to Jon, who shook it. “I’m not sure if you know me, but I teach history here.”

 

“Oh right, yeah, I’ve definitely seen you before. I’m Jon Kent.”

 

“Good to meet you. So, the rumor is true, huh? You’re taking over as head coach?”

 

“Yep, sure am.”

 

“Hey, listen, some buddies and I were going to grab some supper at one of the bars in town, Scotty’s. You wanna join us? I promise we will be better company than those grumpy old men.”

 

Jon paused to consider. He had been planning to go back to his apartment, grade papers and just make a pizza or something, maybe call Jordan if he wasn’t too busy. But honestly, Jordan was probably flying around saving the world and Jon spent too much time alone. Some socialization would do him some good.

 

“Sure, man. That sounds great.”

Chapter 4: New Faces

Summary:

After practice, Jon goes out to a bar and meets some new people.

Notes:

Some new characters in this chapter! Hope you enjoy :)

Chapter Text

After stopping quickly back in the school, to get the rest of his stuff, Jon was on the road, headed to Scotty’s Bar. He decided to throw his long sleeved shirt and dress pants back on, though he left off the tie. Jon didn’t really know what Marcus meant by ‘some buddies’ but Jon figured it would do him good to hang out with other people, presumably close to his own age, at least for a little while.

 

Even though he was setting himself up for a night of greasy bar food and overpriced beer, Jon figured it had to be better than the cold pizza or leftovers he usually ate. And having some social interaction was probably better than tinkering with the Kryptonian tech he kept at his apartment for when he was bored. More than that, going out meant he wouldn’t obsessively be checking the internet to see if there was any news, good or bad, about Superman or Superboy.

 

Jordan always tried his best to text Jon updates about their adventures, especially if there was a crazy rescue or if they had learned about some evil scheme. But if it was a busy night sometimes those texts didn’t come until later and Jon had a better chance of getting the story sooner if he just checked the internet.

 

Over the past few years, Jon had gotten more used to the fact that his once shy, awkward, anxious twin brother was now flying around the world on a regular basis, performing amazing rescues and going on world saving missions.

 

But even though he was used to all the amazing things his brother could do, it didn't mean he liked it.

 

Jon was proud of his brother, obviously. Being Superboy was without a doubt Jordan’s calling in life. And even though Jon had never admitted it, every time he saw a video of Jordan dashing into a burning building, or lifting up a train, a part of him was always a little nervous. Sure, he knew that Jordan could physically handle crazy things like that, but there was still a part of Jon that felt the need to protect his brother the way he had when they were little.

 

Which is probably why it was a good thing he was going out tonight.

 

Jon pulled into the small parking lot. He had driven by Scotty’s several times, but never had a reason to go in. His first impression of the place: traditional small town hangout. There was a line of locals occupying the bar, fully invested in the latest college football game with beers and half eaten burgers scattered around. A few couples were occupying the smaller tables enjoying a cheap date. There were also other groups of friends of various ages hanging around, enjoying the evening together.

 

In the corner, Jon finally saw Marcus. He and his buddies had pushed a few tables together and were right in the middle of ordering drinks when Jon walked up.

 

“Yeah, Carly, I’ll just have my usual and–hey Kent! Glad you finally made it. Take a seat.” Marcus gestured to the chair across from him.

 

Jon ordered a craft beer that was on tap, then the waitress finished walking around the table taking the other drink orders. He knew it wouldn’t make a difference what he ordered since alcohol didn’t really affect him, but he had appearances to keep up. When the perky young waitress left, Marcus spoke up immediately. “Hey everyone, so this is the guy I was telling you about, Jon Kent. Jon this is…well...everybody.” Marcus worked his way around the table introducing everyone in his friend group and a little about each of them. They all gave polite affirmations and their faces were definitely curious about the newcomer Marcus had brought.

 

After he was finished pointing out all his friends, Marcus reached across the table and gave Jon a mock punch in the arm, “Don’t worry if you don’t remember all the names. There isn’t going to be a quiz.”

 

“That’s good,” Jon replied, forcing what he hoped was a natural smile on his face. He couldn’t admit that due to his half Kryptonian heritage, he had a freakishly good memory, which meant he had no trouble recalling all the names Marcus just listed off. It was a quirk he had dealt with many times before. College had very much been the way, so Jon was used to the concept of not drawing too much attention to his above average memory.

 

“So Marcus was telling us that you’re the head football coach now, is that true,” asked a guy by the name of Ray who worked for a local construction company. He had his arms around Lisa, his very pregnant wife who taught third grade at the elementary school.

 

“That’s right,” Jon answered. “Just got the position today in fact.”

 

“Wow, I bet everyone was super pleased,” Ray said, a sarcastic note to his voice.

 

“Kind of the opposite actually. The coaches kept talking to me like I was five and didn’t know what I was talking about. Course, I probably made it worse though.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Oh yeah, you should have seen it,” Marcus piped up, remembering the scene well. “I was watching from the fence. The guys were running laps and Jon jumped in on the last sprint and started running with them. He was easily leading the pack and had no problem keeping up with the players. Man, the looks on the faces of the other coaches though…even that jerk Dillon had nothing to say for once.”

 

His face lighting up, Ray instantly leaned forward. “Wait, you made that asshole Dillon shut up? Damn, I didn’t even know that was possible. Respect man.”

 

Jon was surprised by the sudden change in attitude. “Wait, you know Steve Dillon?”

 

Ray scoffed, along with most of the other guys at the table. “Know him, more like forced to put up with him. He was coaching back when we were in high school and was just as obnoxious then.”

 

“Yeah, he was always talking about his hotshot son, saying how he was so much better than us,” added a guy named Ryan, rolling his eyes. He worked at the bank downtown and had happily loosened his tie.

 

“That would be Devin,” confirmed Jon, taking a sip of his beer. “He’s on the team now.”

 

“So is he as good as his old man always thought,” Ryan persisted.

 

Jon hesitated. It would be super unprofessional to talk badly about one of his players to a group of people he had just met. But also, they weren’t wrong, Steve Dillon was a jerk and his son was full of hot air more than talent.

 

“Let’s just say…he’s his father’s son,” Jon said, purposely giving a vague answer. Fortunately, the guys seemed to be able to see through him and could tell what he meant.

 

“I knew it,” Ray said, smacking the table. “I always knew it was all talk.”

 

“I didn’t say that,” Jon said, raising his hands in mock surrender, though he kept a playful expression on his face.

 

“You didn’t have to. We all know it’s true,” Ray said, drawing a round of laughter from the entire group. Shortly after that, the waitress walked up and took their orders. Jon ordered one of the specialty burgers. 

 

Finally, the ice was broken and Jon was able to relax with the group. He fielded a few more questions about the team. But they were all very respectful and seemed genuinely interested in his opinion. Maybe going out and socializing wouldn't be so bad.

 

After the waitress left, Marcus asked Jon about how the football team’s offense was shaping up.

 

But before he could answer, she walked in. 

 

Jonathan Kent’s life was altered forever, from the moment he saw her. It was like time stopped, and she was the only other person in the world. She had long, blonde hair that was wavy, and cascaded down her back. She was wearing black dress pants, and a colorful top under a blazer. The clothes were formal, sure, but they also fit her perfectly, accenting her in all the right places. Her eyes were a shining blue and the friendly smile showed pure happiness.

 

He didn’t know the girl’s name, but intended to find out. Because if Jon had his way, he was going to marry this girl.

 

Despite hearing stories over the years of how his parents met, Jon never fully believed in the idea of love at first sight. He had always thought the idea sounded kind of lame, and not altogether realistic.

 

But as the girl walked closer to the table, Jon could have explained all about love at first sight. And it wasn’t infatuation or anything, he just felt drawn to her and wanted to talk and spend time with her.

 

And she hadn’t even said one word to him yet.

 

Jon was just about to pull out the chair next to him so they could sit by each other, and begin their great love story, but she walked right past Jon and over to Marcus. She promptly gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek. The girl sat down next to him as if she had done it a million times and barely gave Jon a second glance.

 

So much for that great love story.

Chapter 5: Going for It

Summary:

Jonathan tries his best to talk with the new girl. His efforts are met with varied results.

Notes:

Wow! Thank you all so much for the huge response to the last chapter. I know it's Monday, but I was really appreciative and wanted to get this next chapter out for you guys to show my thanks :)

Happy reading!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Hey Marcus, thanks for saving me a seat,” the girl said, a pretty smile filling her face. She set her purse on the floor and tossed her hair back before sitting next to him.  

 

Clearly and unfortunately she was off limits.

 

But damn, a girl hadn’t made his heart race like this in years. He hadn’t even said a word to her, yet he was picturing a future with her.

 

Should he go for it anyway?

 

“Of course, you know I’d do anything for you,” Marcus said, putting his hand around her shoulder once again. The look on her face was one of pure love and adoration. As an afterthought Marcus glanced over at Jon. “Oh, right, Jon, this is Charlotte. Char, this is Jon Kent, the new football coach.”

 

For the first time, the girl, who apparently was named Charlotte, made eye contact with Jon. And although it seemed impossible, when their eyes connected, it was like the reuniting of old friends. Or like they had met in another life and had just found each other again.

 

Jon had to resist the urge to roll his eyes. If he continued that line of thinking too much longer he might as well throw on a pair of fake glasses and call himself Jordan. The brunette twin was so sappy these days, being totally in love with his girlfriend and all. Most of the time it was nauseating (which Jon pointed out regularly). But deep down, he was genuinely happy for his brother and secretly a little jealous.

 

But that did NOT mean he was allowing himself to follow in his emotional and dorky brother's footsteps.

 

Jonathan Kent was cool, calm, and collected.

 

“Hi I’m Jont.” Seriously? Jont? He was so lame. “I mean I’m Kon.” Jon had never wanted to disappear so badly in his entire life. “Sorry, I’m Jon Kent,” he said, finally getting the words correct after putting some distinct space between his first and last name.

 

Charlotte chuckled.

 

Once again, Jon wanted more than anything to disappear. His big chance to say something suave and cool and he had totally blown it. And now she was laughing at him.

 

“Yes, I know who you are. Marcus just introduced you, remember?”

 

“Right.” Jon knew his face must have been beet red with embarrassment.

 

“It is nice to meet you, though,” Charlotte said, offering a kind smile. When she extended her hand, Jon knew it was out of pity. He had made a fool of himself and she was just trying to be nice.

 

But when Jon took her hand for what he assumed would have been a casual handshake, the electricity between them was indescribable.

 

Charlotte quickly pulled her hand away, completely avoiding eye contact with Jon, meaning she too felt the connection between them.

 

It was time to think.

 

Marcus was clearly a good guy and could possibly even become a friend. But this girl, Charlotte, was the girl of his dreams. Was he a total jerk if he didn’t back down?

 

“So, um, Marcus did you guys order yet,” Charlotte asked, hastily trying to cover the awkward moment.

 

“We did. I ordered your favorite. I’m assuming that’s okay?”

 

She finally relaxed. “Yeah. Thanks, you’re the best.”

 

Alright. So Marcus knew her favorite food. As smaller conversations started up around the table, Jon knew it was time to step up his game.

 

“So Marcus said I’m the new football coach, but what he didn’t mention was that I’m actually the head football coach.”

 

“Oh that’s nice.”

 

“Actually, I’m probably the youngest head coach in the history of the school which means that I’m–” 

 

“No offense, but the fact that you are the head football coach really isn’t that impressive to me.”

 

“It’s not?” Jon deflated. That had been his whole goal. “Well then, what is interesting to you. What’s your job?”

 

“I work in a foster care office. You know, making sure kids are placed in good homes. Important work.”

 

“Well I–”

 

“So Marcus, how is teaching going? What are the new students like.”

 

Quickly and effectively Charlotte had cut Jon out of the conversation. Jon leaned back in his chair. If she wanted to talk about foster care, Jon could have held up his end of the conversation. His mom had done a major story on the problems with foster care in Metropolis a few years back and Jon had helped her with a lot of the research. But Charlotte had dismissed him and no longer assumed he would have anything of substance to say.

 

The rest of the night kind of went the same way. Jon would try to work his way into a conversation with her, but every time she shut him down rather quickly. But oddly, Jon wasn’t deterred. It only made her more interesting to him and he became determined to win her over. As the evening went on, she ignored all of Jon’s efforts until he had struck out so many times that he was surprised Marcus didn’t write FAIL across his forehead.

 

The night slowly wound down and various members of the group made excuses why they needed to leave. Ray didn’t want to keep his pregnant wife out too late and twenty minutes later Ryan had recorded a football game he wanted to watch. But as long as Charlotte was still there, Jon wasn’t going to go anywhere. Soon, it was just Marcus, Jon and Charlotte.

 

Jon had been trying to think of strategies on how to take advantage of the small group when Marcus stepped away to take a phone call. Perfect.

 

“You know, it was really nice to meet you tonight,” Jon began, hoping he could still give off some level of confidence or sophistication. Plus, he knew girls loved compliments.

 

“Yeah, you too,” she answered, not quite meeting his eyes. “Sorry I’m not more into football. You sound very excited though. I’m sure it will be a wonderful opportunity. It must be exciting,” she continued, reverting back to small talk. It was almost like she felt bad about shunning him all night. Jon would take it!

 

“Thanks,” he said with a smile. The comment may have been rhetorical, but it made Jon's heart beat faster just the same. “I am excited for sure, but I’m also worried about–”

 

“Hey guys, bad news. A friend from work is having car problems so I have to go help him out,” Marcus explained, putting on his coat.

 

“But Emmy dropped me off. I thought you were going to take me home,” Charlotte protested.

 

“Well I would, but it’s on the other side of town…Hey Jon, would it be too much trouble for you to take Char home?”

 

“Uh, sure, no problem,” he quickly answered, hoping he didn’t sound too eager.

 

“Great. Thanks. See you at school tomorrow Jon. Bye Char.” Marcus quickly planted a kiss on Charlotte’s head and rushed out the door.

 

Jon looked over at Charlotte, sensing how uncomfortable she was. He may have wanted to get to know her a little better, but getting thrown together like this was not really what he had in mind. But Jon had been raised a gentleman, which is how he would handle the situation.

 

“Well, should we go? I’m sure you want to get home.” 

 

Realizing she didn’t have much of a choice, Charlotte grabbed her purse and jacket and followed Jon outside.

 

Since it had gotten late, there weren’t too many cars in the parking lot and it was easy to see the few that were left. Charlotte hoped Jon would walk towards the nice, dependable looking sedan and was sadly disappointed when his goal seemed to be a vehicle that was the opposite.

 

“This is what you drive? Seriously?” Charlotte usually tried to be a kind person, but she couldn’t hold back judgment when she noticed Jon’s vehicle. It was a large, gaudy, black truck. The cab was so high off the ground that she would need to use the step to get into it.

 

“Yeah, I guess so,” Jon commented. The truck had been his for years and so he didn’t usually think about what it looked like from other people’s perspectives. “I didn’t pick it out or anything, it was a gift.”

 

“You got a truck this expensive as a gift ?” The disbelief in Charlotte’s voice was obvious. “How am I even supposed to get in this thing?”

 

Jon couldn’t help but sigh. Once again, things were not going the way he planned. He reached over and opened the passenger door. Charlotte tried using the handle and step, but she didn’t quite have the height needed. Jon stepped closer to her and on instinct put his hand on her waist.

 

“I’ve got it,” she snapped, clearly not wanting Jon to be any closer than necessary.

 

Afterwards, neither could say exactly what happened. Either Charlotte slipped, or just didn’t have a good grip on the handle, it was hard to say, it just happened so fast. Before either could blink Charlotte had fallen off and Jon had caught her. He was carrying her bridal style and she had one hand wrapped around his neck, the other on his chest. It was a full moon so Jon could see her face perfectly. Instantly he noticed the fine, gentle contour of her face and her delicate cheekbones. Her hair was windswept and framed her face so she looked like an angel. And her eyes were the purest blue, like an ocean. The electricity between them was just as charged as before. So without even thinking Jon leaned closer, desperate for a kiss.

 

“What are you doing,” Charlotte asked in a horrified whisper before he got too close. “Put me down.”

 

“Sorry,” Jon answered, his voice husky. He set her up by the truck and this time did help her inside despite her protests because they did not need a repeat of what just happened. Jon shut the passenger door and walked around to the driver’s side, his mind racing.

 

Was he crazy, or was there actually something between them? And if he pursued it, despite her relationship with Marcus, how much of a jerk did that make him?

 

Jon got into the driver’s seat, much more agile than Charlotte had been. To his credit, he was also more used to the movement required. When he shut the door, he immediately pulled out his phone to set it off to the side. First, he checked his notifications. Basically everything could wait until later, except he wanted to check the text messages from Jordan, as there were several.

 

6:05 PM  How was practice?

 

6:45 I can come over. Do you want to grab some food and tell me how it went?

 

6:47 Never mind. Forest fire. Details later.

 

8:15 Sorry, that took a while. Then there was the tsunami in Japan... All good though. I’m guessing that’s a no on supper. I can still come over though. I want to hear about practice.

 

8:40 Dude . Did I piss you off or something?

 

Jon glanced at the time: 9:10. Crap. No wonder Jordan was upset. Jon had completely ignored him all night. It wasn’t intentional but his mind had been focused on… other things. He quickly texted back: Glad everything’s okay. Thanks for the info. Sorry for the radio silence, I went out for dinner with some people and my phone was on silent. Catch up later in the week?

 

“Um, do you mind? I’d like to get home before midnight,” Charlotte said, pulling Jon out of the conversation.

 

“Sorry, I was just answering a text, since I’m not going to respond while I’m driving,” Jon clarified, before setting his phone aside and turning on the car.

 

“Oh. Well that’s good. Sorry,” she answered, clearly feeling bad for making a hasty judgment. Wanting to cover the awkward moment (how many had that been between them? Fifty?) Charlotte gave Jon the address to her apartment, which wasn’t hard to find and would only be a short drive.

 

Needing to fill the silence, Charlotte decided to try small talk one more time. “Before Marcus left, you were saying that you were worried about something?” The question was sure to get him talking and was something she was genuinely curious about, even though she didn’t want to be.

 

“Oh, Right. I was just going to say I’m worried how the other coaches will respond to me as we go forward with the season. They were pretty hostile today.”

 

“And you want them to like you?”

 

“I mean, that would be nice, but more so, I’m just worried about the players.”

 

“The players?” That had been the last thing Charlotte had expected he would say.

 

“Yeah, if the coaching staff isn’t unified that could have a negative impact on their season. And they don’t deserve that, you know? They’re really great kids and my goal is to help them in any way I can. So if the other coaches can’t get on board I’m just worried that the kids are the ones who will suffer. Sorry, I rambled a bit there.” 

 

“No, it’s okay,” Charlotte said, absently waving her hand. She barely registered that Jon had turned onto her street. “So you’re saying that it’s not really even about football? You’re more worried about the players than yourself or your reputation?”

 

“Well yeah, of course. I’ve always loved football, but getting to coach and actually make a difference in kids’ lives has been incredibly rewarding.” He parked in front of Charlotte’s apartment complex. She unbuckled the seatbelt, but couldn’t take her eyes off Jon.

 

“I didn’t think…I mean I didn’t know that you cared that much.”

 

“Well sure, helping the players is the best part of the job. Whether it’s specifically football related, or just building their confidence my goal is do everything I can to–”

 

She kissed him. There were no other words for it. Charlotte cut off Jon’s explanation by crushing her lips to his. At first he was taken aback, but a moment later it didn’t matter. The power and intensity of the kiss had completely overtaken him. Jon ran a hand through her blonde hair, it was even softer than he had imagined. She put her hands around his neck, drawing him even closer.

 

Eventually Jon registered what was happening and gently pushed her back. “What are you doing,” Jon asked, echoing her earlier sentiment.

 

Charlotte looked away shyly. “Well, I’m not usually so forward, but honestly, I was drawn to you immediately and then after you tried to kiss me, I realized you were attracted to me too. And just now when you were being so sensitive and concerned about your players, I just couldn’t help myself,” she answered, reaching over to take Jon’s hand. He pulled it back. 

 

“But aren’t you forgetting Marcus?”

 

“What about Marcus?”

 

“I mean, if you two are together I don’t want to come between you. I mean I thought about it, sure, but I don’t think I could actually go through with it.”

 

“Hold up, you stopped kissing me because you thought I was dating Marcus?”

 

“Well yeah, he saved you a seat, knew your order, he hugged you.”

 

Charlotte chuckled. She was falling for this boy more and more every second. Realizing what was going on, Charlotte wrapped her hands around Jon’s neck and interlocked her fingers so he couldn’t pull away. “Marcus is my brother.”

 

Jon’s eyes widened as he took in the new information. How had he so completely misread the situation?

 

“Hot damn,” he whispered. This time, Jon pulled her in for the kiss.

Notes:

Yes...some of you were right. Charlotte was always Marcus' sister :)

Thanks again for reading!!

Chapter 6: The Visitor

Summary:

While getting ready for a date with Charlotte, Jon has an unexpected visitor.

Notes:

Thanks so much for the incredible response to this story, I am really glad you are all enjoying it. For those of you who asked for more Jordan and Jon moments, this chapter is for you!

Thanks so much for reading!!!

Chapter Text

Jon turned the metal knob, effectively shutting off the water and ending his warm, steamy shower. 

 

His life had been so busy and chaotic the past few years with the dramatic and dangerous situations that his family usually got caught up in. When things started to get especially crazy, Jon found that one of the quickest ways to relax and decompress: a hot shower.

 

When he lived with his parents he didn’t always have time for a long shower necessarily, but having a place to escape and be alone with his thoughts had done wonders for him over the years.

 

And this late Friday afternoon was no exception.

 

Jon reached over and grabbed one of the fluffy red towels his mom had insisted on buying him the minute she found out he was getting his own place. He wrapped the towel around his waist and stepped out of the shower.

 

Of course, his life hadn’t been quite as physically demanding lately, having taken a step back from being directly involved in “the family business.” But he was still kept in the loop and invited to family dinners on weekends.

 

Back before Jon had stepped away to focus on teaching and coaching, things used to look a bit different. His life used to include elf isolation at the Fortress for days at a time working on a Kryptonian tech project he couldn’t tear himself away from, helping Nat or John Henry with their suits and weapons, and researching heinous criminals for Clark and Jordan, sometimes even Lois. What Jon missed the least was having to find ways out of dangerous situations. Luckily, Lois had taught him how to escape from being tied up when he was seventeen. It was a skill he hated to use, but had come in handy more times than he cared to admit.

 

These days, though there were still problems, his life was a lot simpler: lesson planning, dealing with petty middle aged football coaches, and taking away cell phones in class when the kids weren’t listening. Of course, the best part of his life these days was texting Charlotte.

 

Although they weren’t able to hang out every day during the past week, due to their work schedules, they were constantly communicating, talking about their days and getting to know each other. Plus, they had already agreed to go on a date that Friday night. Which is why after football practice, Jon had quickly driven home for a shower.

 

Jon had picked out what he thought was a good look for his date: dark blue jeans and a white V neck sweater. The clothes fit well and were casual, but still formal enough for a date. He hoped Charlotte would appreciate the nice cologne he was wearing too. After getting the stuff in college, Jon hadn’t had many occasions to wear it, but the date seemed like a good time to try it out. To finish off his look, Jon took a little gel and artfully tousled his blonde curls.

 

He was just about to throw on his shoes when the doorbell rang. Damn! Hadn’t they agreed to meet at the restaurant since Char had to work late? Did she want to skip dinner altogether and just stay in? He could get behind that idea.

 

Anxious, Jon opened the door to find not Charlotte, but his brother standing before him. Black hoodie, ripped jeans, glasses askew, and windblown hair; the look that said ‘I just flew threw the air at super sonic speeds'. Ta-da!’

 

After thinking about all the possibilities with Charlotte, then seeing his brother standing at the door, all Jon could feel was disappointment.

 

“Oh, it’s you.”

 

“Wow. Thanks, bro. I feel the love,” Jordan said sarcastically, as he strolled into Jon’s apartment.

 

“I didn’t mean it like that,” Jon muttered, shutting the door behind his brother. “Sorry to be a jerk, man, I thought you were someone else.”

 

“Someone else,” Jordan questioned, before flopping on Jon’s couch, making himself right at home. “Who did you think it was?”

 

“It doesn’t matter,” Jon said awkwardly, waving his hand, brushing away the comment. “So what’s up? Why did you fly over?”

 

“Oh, what?” Jordan asked, throwing his hands up. “I need a reason to come visit my twin brother? Harsh, bro.”

 

Jon ran a hand through his honey curls and glanced at his phone, trying to figure out how long he could entertain his brother before he had to meet Charlotte. “No, no of course not. You’re welcome here any time. It’s good to see you. So, if there’s no specific reason you’re here, did you just want to hang out then?”

 

“Basically,” Jordan said with a shrug. “Hang out, catch up, the usual.”

 

“Sure man, sounds good. What’s new with you,” Jon asked, checking the time once again.

 

“Oh a few things,” said Jordan with a shrug. “But I’m much more interested in why you keep looking at your phone."

 

“What? No, I’m not,” Jon insisted, sticking his phone in his pocket. “Anyway, I thought you wanted to talk.” Jon sat down on the couch next to his brother.

 

“Yeah, I want to talk about what has you so distracted.”

 

Jon rolled his eyes. “Dude, it’s nothing.”

 

“Yes it is,” Jordan persisted.

 

“No, it’s not.”

 

“Is it a girl?”

 

“Jordan!”

 

“What’s her name?”

 

“Dude, let it go.”

 

“After you tell me her name.”

 

“Charlotte,” Jon said, exploding with frustration. “Her name is Charlotte. Happy?”

 

“Hell yeah,” Jordan remarked, breaking into a smile. “I love being right.”

 

Catching a glimpse of his brother’s dorky grin, the tension left Jon’s face and he burst into a big smile as well. “Yeah you do.”

 

“So, her name is Charlotte, huh? How long has Charlotte been in the picture,” Jordan asked in a teasing tone, elbowing his brother in the same joking manner.

 

“Not that long,” Jon insisted, squirming away. He had always been ticklish, which Jordan knew, and was of course, exploiting.

 

“Oh really? Are you sure it’s not some secret, year-long scandal you’ve been hiding from me?”

 

“Dude, no. No,” Jon said, pushing Jordan away. “We’ve only been talking for like a week, I swear.”

 

“And you didn’t tell me because…”

 

“Because it’s new. We’ve just been talking…mostly.”

 

“Mostly, huh? So when was the first time you kissed her,” Jordan asked, with a knowing smile.

 

“The night we met,” Jon confessed, knowing that if he didn’t tell the truth Jordan wouldn’t let it go.

 

“Classic,” Jordan said, gently punching his brother’s shoulder. “Nice one, man.”

 

“No, it’s not like that.”

 

“I think I’m gonna need some more details.”

 

Jon thought he had been very patient with Jordan’s pestering and incessant questions. He checked his phone once again. He was supposed to meet Charlotte in ten minutes. It was time for Jon’s well meaning, but overbearing brother to take a hike.

 

“Well, I think you need to leave.” Jon stood up and gestured to the door. But Jordan stayed where he was.

 

“Dude, you’ve given me like, no details. I can’t leave now.”

 

“Uh, yes, you can. I’m going on a date with Charlotte.”

 

“What, like right now?”

 

“Yes, like right now,” Jon answered, pulling Jordan off the couch. “Which means you need to go.”

 

“Don’t I get to meet her?”

 

“Definitely not.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because it’s only our first date and we’re still getting to know each other,” Jon said, continuing to push Jordan towards the door. Of course, Jordan was strong enough to stop him if he wanted, but was nice enough to act normal instead.

 

“But we didn’t even get to talk about how football’s going,” Jordan protested. He only made the comment as a joke, enjoying their banter, but when Jon’s eyes darkened and his face tensed up, the super-powered brother’s demeanor instantly changed as he realized something was wrong.

 

The change in Jon’s eyes was subtle, but Jordan knew him well enough not to ignore it. The look was one that Jordan had seen countless times over the years because it usually meant things were bad, but Jon was keeping his problems inside.

 

As they had gotten older, Jon had felt he had to keep his emotions to himself because he assumed everything going on was more important than his feelings. Ever since he caught on to Jon’s habit to keep in his problems, Jordan had been on a one man crusade to make sure Jon got the time and attention he deserved.

 

“What happened at football?”

 

“Dude, nothing. I’m fine.” Jon opened the door to let his brother out. But Jordan knew better. When Jon quickly changed the subject it meant that something serious was going on with him. Every time.

 

“Do you think I’m an idiot, Jon? I know you better than anyone else in the world. Obviously I can tell when something’s wrong with you.”

 

Jon sighed and looked away. “It’s not that big of a deal, Jordan, just let it go.”

 

Jordan reached over and slammed the door. “If you’re acting like this, then it is a big deal and I'm not going to let it go.”

 

Jon tried to remain calm. Jordan could be damn stubborn, especially when he thought he was protecting Jon. Sometimes he majorly overreacted. Although Jon hated to admit it, Jordan was right this time.

 

He wasn’t okay.

 

But as usual, Jon was much more comfortable pushing the problem down, and not worrying about himself.

 

“Look, Jordan, it’s not an ‘end of the world’ crisis. Don’t worry about it.”

 

“Jon–”

 

“We can talk about it later. I don’t want to be late.” Almost as if on cue, Jon’s phone started to ring; it was Charlotte. “Hey, babe, I was just about to head out the door–oh, okay,” Jon muttered, turning away. Jordan knew he could easily listen in on the conversation, but breaking Jon’s trust would not be a good way to convince him to reveal what was happening with football; so Jordan resisted.

 

After a short conversation Jon uttered a quick, “Sounds good. See you then.” He hung up the phone and looked back at his brother. “She has to stay later at work then she thought. We’re going to eat in about an hour instead of now.”

 

“Great, that means you have time to talk to me about football,” Jordan said, planning to make the most of the opportunity.

 

“Jor, I really don’t want to.”

 

“I know, which is exactly why you should,” Jordan insisted. He led his brother back to the couch and gently pushed him onto the cushions. Jordan took a seat next to his brother and prepared to be open minded and a good listener. “So what’s going on?”

 

Jon glanced over at his twin. He could hear the sensitivity in his voice and see the concern in his eyes. Although he wasn’t excited to talk about football with any member of his family, he knew Jordan would be the most understanding and compassionate. Sometimes Jon felt like he didn’t have a right to complain about his own issues. The other members of his family dealt with major life ending problems every day, which often made Jon feel insignificant. But Jordan had done a great job over the years of validating Jon’s problems and feelings.

 

Hopefully this would be one more case where Jordan knew just what to say, because quite frankly, Jon was at a total loss.

 

Jon took a deep breath. “Okay, I guess I should start at the beginning…”

Chapter 7: Bro Time

Summary:

The brothers enjoy some time catching up before Jon's date with Charlotte. Also, Jon needs Jordan's advice about a big decision.

Chapter Text

“I guess I should start by telling you that…I am now the head football coach at Richardson.”

 

“What?” Jordan’s face transformed from one of worry to pure excitement. “The head football coach, dude, that’s awesome. Congratulations.” He affectionately grabbed his brother's shoulder.

 

“Thanks,” said Jon, blushing a bit. He wasn’t used to such strong praises.

 

“You must be so excited, but it’s also a big job so, wait–” Jordan paused for a second, changing his line of thought as he considered something. “When I called you on Monday because your heart was beating crazy fast, and I got worried, it was because of this, wasn’t it? You were nervous?”

 

Jon shook his head slightly. Sometimes it was amazing just how well Jordan knew him. “Yeah, I was offered the position on Monday and my first time leading practice was later that day, so yeah, I was a bit nervous.”

 

“That’s so cool man, how did it happen? Tell me everything.”

 

Jon spent the next few minutes explaining how the previous head coach had a stroke and was currently in rehab gaining his strength back. Considering there was a school board rule that all head coaches had to be a faculty member, Jon was the obvious choice as a replacement.

 

As Jon talked about what it was like running practices and working with the players, he was pleased to see how invested Jordan was in his story.

 

Jordan had never been the biggest football fan, but as he got older, he realized it didn’t matter. Jon was his brother, his twin brother, and considering how busy they both were these days, it didn’t matter what they talked about, any time they got to spend together was special.

 

Also, given how hard Jonathan had worked to find the person he wanted to be and get to a healthy place after a troubling high school experience, Jordan was pleased to see how happy and animated his brother was; he deserved it.

 

“This is so awesome, man, I can tell you’re having a great time.”

 

Jon looked down. Mostly he was having a great time.

 

“What is it,” Jordan asked immediately. He was always incredibly observant and noticed even the smallest change in Jon’s demeanor.

 

“Most of the kids are great, you know, responsive, hard working…”

 

“But…” Jordan prompted, knowing they were probably getting to the part of the conversation that wouldn’t be as pleasant.

 

“But the other coaches,” Jon continued softly, “have done their best to undermine everything I do and make me miserable.”

 

Jordan’s eyes darkened instantly. “Are you serious?”

 

Jon nodded. “They act like I’m a kid or that I have no experience–”

 

“But for three years of college you basically worked as an assistant coach,” Jordan retorted, immediately coming to his brother’s defense.

 

“I know. I’ve said that. But there’s this one guy, Steve Dillon, he’s kind of like the ringleader for the other coaches. He’s always holding up his state championship rings and saying that because I don’t have one, he knows more than me.”

 

“That’s bull,” Jordan shouted as he jumped off the chair. Thoroughly agitated now, he began to pace back and forth. “What the hell is he talking about that you have no football experience? You’ve been playing the damn sport since you could freaking walk and you worked with some of the best coaches in Metropolis over the years, but yeah, sure, let’s just ignore that,” Jordan said sarcastically, really getting steamed up. “And like I already said, you spent three and a half years working at a high school. I know for a fact that the head coach let you call plays and work with the quarterback. So I’m still trying to understand how he thinks you have no experience or aren’t qualified.”

 

Even though the conversation was serious, Jon had to work to hold back a smile. His brother was normally so calm and collected (since that’s what people expected of superheroes) so to see this fiery version of his twin come out, especially over something like football, was rather entertaining. “Yeah, I’m not sure why he keeps saying that.”

 

“And it’s not like you asked for the position, it was offered to you, which isn’t a crime. So they should keep their–”

 

“Jordan, relax! Look man, I appreciate the support, but I can handle the verbal attacks from the coaches.”

 

“But you shouldn’t have to,” Jordan protested. The pain in his voice surprised Jon. Not only was Jordan fired up, he also felt bad for his brother. Jon hadn’t expected that.

 

“Bro, it’s okay, really. I can handle that part. There’s some other stuff I’m more worried about.”

 

“Like what?” Instantly, Jordan was back on the couch with a hand on his brother’s shoulder.

 

Jon took a deep breath. “Like the fact that we have our first game next week and I’ve been thinking about changing the starting line up, which I know I’m gonna get some heat for.”

 

“What do you mean,” Jordan asked, staring intently at his brother. He was always such a good listener and made Jon feel like whatever he had to say was the most important thing in the world; Jordan was just that tuned in.

 

“I’m thinking of switching out three seniors on varsity with two juniors and a sophomore for the opening game next week.”

 

“Okay, why are you thinking of doing that?”

 

“Because the seniors aren’t putting in the work. They think just because they are the oldest that they earned the right to do whatever they want, like show up late, goof on in practice and not listen. Meanwhile some of the underclassmen, especially the ones I want to be the replacements, have been busting their asses every single day, showing up to practice early, doing everything I ask and more.”

 

“But those seniors aren’t?”

 

“No,” exclaimed Jon, getting frustrated now. “It doesn’t matter what I say or do, those three just act like I have no authority and do whatever they want. It doesn’t help that one of the guys’ dad is Steve Dillon, the assistant coach who keeps harassing me.”

 

“Wait, seriously, the dad and the kid,” Jordan asked in disbelief.

 

“Yep. So even though I know replacing the lazy seniors is the right call, I’m worried about the reaction, if it’s even worth it.”

 

Jordan studied his brother and the weight he was carrying. Some people would probably say that it was just football, who cares? 

 

But for Jon, it was more than that. He obviously cared very deeply about his players and about doing the right thing. With Jon, it was always about doing the right thing, and if he was so worried about the ramifications of changing his starting lineup, he would have considered every possibility before even bringing it up to his brother.

 

Maybe it wasn't the same as running into a burning building, but for Jon, this team was important, meaning Jordan needed to give his brother the respect and time he deserved.

 

“Jon, I know you, better than anyone else,” Jordan began. “And I know you wouldn’t have even told me your idea unless you really thought it was for the best. You are always focused on what’s right. So don’t let some small-town hicks who have know idea what your life is really like talk you out of what you know is right.”

 

“So you think I should make the switch?”

 

“Hell yeah,” Jordan said confidently, completely in support of his brother. “Like I said, you know what's right.”

 

Jon finally allowed himself a smile. He had been nervous to bring up his football problems with Jordan because he didn’t know if his brother would care, let alone have a real opinion.

 

But he should have known better.

 

Jordan always came through, especially when he didn’t have anywhere else to turn, and today was no exception. Jon could see the confidence on his brother’s face. The support meant more than Jon would ever be able to say.

 

“Thanks Jordan,” the blonde twin said quietly, placing a hand on his brother’s shoulder.

 

“Any time bro.”

 

Afterwards, it wasn’t clear which one leaned in first for the hug, but it didn't matter. Chances are they got the idea at the same time, considering their brains were often on the same wavelengths.

 

The brothers spent the next few minutes continuing their conversation. At first Jordan helped Jon brainstorm ideas for how best to handle his situation of switching out players. Then the conversation moved to Jordan's girlfriend and that Jon promised to come home and have dinner with them soon. Jordan also regaled his brother with some stories of his more spectacular saves in recent weeks.

 

There was no jealousy for Jon anymore as he listened to his brother’s stories. Jordan had the superpowers, and Jon was happy working in the high school. They had their differences, and that was okay, because in the ways that mattered, they were still so very similar.

 

Too quickly, their hour together passed and it was time for Jon to go meet Charlotte at the restaurant. Jon walked his brother to the door.

 

“Listen man, thanks for stopping by, I didn’t realize just how much I needed bro time.” Jon said, as he good naturedly slapped his brother on the back.

 

“Dude you always need bro time, you’re just too stubborn to admit it,” Jordan pointed out, correctly analyzing his brother once again. “Luckily, I’m always here for you.”

 

“You’re so corny.”

 

“Well what do you expect, I hang out with Dad all day,” Jordan retorted, enjoying their lighthearted banter.

 

“Fair point. You know, I still think those father son cardigans are a good idea,” Jon suggested, with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

 

“You’re such an idiot,” Jordan said, rolling his eyes. “Come here.” Just for good measure, he pulled his brother in for one more quick hug, knowing that Jon probably needed it. A few seconds later, when Jordan had stepped toward the door, he turned back to his brother. “You’re doing the right thing with the football team, and I support you one hundred percent. Just let me know if there’s anything I can do.”

 

Jordan may be sporting glasses and was wearing his hair a little shorter these days. He spent much of his time flying around the globe, rescuing people and making the world a safer place. In addition, he was more in control of his anxiety and was more confident than ever. But despite all the ways he had changed, he was still Jon’s dorky brother, the one who had been by his side his entire life; the brother who he would do anything for.

 

Jon glanced over at his twin one more time and spared a small smile. “Thanks bro.”

 

Chapter 8: First Date

Summary:

Charlotte and Jon finally go on their first real date!

Chapter Text

Jon had gotten a text from Charlotte saying that she was on her way and for him to get a table at the restaurant they had picked out for their date. Actually, it was one of the only places in town that wasn’t a bar or fast food, so it wasn’t that hard of a choice to make.

 

In the restaurant, Jon picked a booth in the corner that was out of the way and would give them privacy. The candles and soft music really added to the romance that Jon was hoping for that evening. Charlotte had talked with him a fair amount over the past week, but Jon was looking forward to some one on one time for sure. Plus, after all the football drama the past week, it would be a nice change of pace to forget all that and focus instead on the woman who he hoped to make his girlfriend sooner rather than later.

 

The buzz from Jon’s phone signaled that he had received a text message. He looked down and saw that it was from Jordan.

 

Enjoy your date, bro. I’ll be by around 3 to pick you up for family dinner tomorrow.

 

The second text came a few seconds later.

 

Is the restaurant any good? I was thinking of stopping by…

 

Jon rolled his eyes. Jordan clearly thought he was funny by suggesting he intrude on the date, but he definitely was not. Two could play this game. He quickly messaged back:

 

Don’t you dare! Also, btw the father-son matching cardigans are in my Amazon cart.

 

And did you know they have matching plaid lumberjack hats?? Added!

 

It was clear that Jon won the round when he read his brother’s last message.

 

Well played…I guess I’m eating at home tonight.

 

Jon bit back a sigh. Their brotherly banter was always entertaining, especially after the good talk they had an hour ago. It was nice to talk to Jordan about the football stuff and get his opinion. Naturally, his brother had been supportive and encouraging. But the problem was, as comforting as his twin could be, he didn’t know the realities of working in a high school and dealing with the parents.

 

Oh good grief the parents…

 

The collection of dads watching practices had grown with each passing day, each one intent on telling Jon how great their sons were and what positions each should play. It was as if because they thought Jon was young, he would easily be swayed and see things their way.

 

At first, Jon entertained the parents, politely listening to their suggestions saying that he would consider them, knowing that he had his own plan for what the team would look like. But after a couple days, Jon realized it was just causing more trouble.

 

Now he avoided the parents like the plague. Obviously that strategy wouldn’t work very long, but Jon would take what he could get. Would Charlotte want to talk about football? It was their first real date, so maybe he should spend more time talking about her. That was the gentlemanly thing to do, right?

 

But maybe she would be more honest than Jordan. His twin had been entirely supportive, which was great at the time, but not entirely helpful in physically dealing with the situation.

 

But maybe–

 

“Penny for your thoughts?” Charlotte’s smooth voice pulled Jon out of his internal struggle.

 

“Oh hey,” Jon quickly stood up. “I...uhh…”

 

“What? Is something wrong?”

 

“No I…just…wow.” For a guy who had a pretty good history of being charming around girls, once again, Charlotte had made him completely tongue tied.

 

She was wearing a navy blue dress, though simple, was very flattering on her and perfect for the setting of their date. The color contrasted tastefully with her blonde hair. And her hair! Charlotte’s hair always looked good, but at that moment, the way that it was curled and styled around her face made her look like an angel. Her makeup was subtle but complementary, and in the dim light of the restaurant made her look exotic.

 

Yep, Jon was toast. He knew there was no denying that now.

 

“I’m sorry, wow? What does that mean exactly?”

 

“It means…” You’re beautiful! He wanted to shout. You’re gorgeous. You’re so pretty right now that I’m gonna forget my own name! On and on in his head Jon thought of countless descriptions to let Charlotte know how incredible she looked. But all that came out was, “Wow.”

 

Thankfully, she chuckled as Jon awkwardly sat back in the booth. “I guess I’ll take that as a compliment then,” Charlotte took a seat across from Jon and set her sweater and purse on the floor. “You know, you don’t look too bad yourself.”

 

Charlotte didn’t want to embarrass him, so she stuck with a simple compliment. But the truth was, Charlotte had just as strong of a reaction when she saw Jon. He may have said ‘wow when she walked in, but when Charlotte saw Jon, all she could think was hot damn!

 

Now this was a boy who could clean up nice! He wore a musky cologne that said he cared, but wasn’t trying too hard to impress her. His clothes were just perfect in the way the white sweater clung to his body, specifically accenting his chest and bicep muscles. And the dark jeans and shiny brown shoes tied the whole look together. He had shaved, which was a nice touch, since Charlotte appreciated a nice clean face. And did he do something with his hair? Most of the days they had met up in the past week had been right after practice, so the hat hair left much to be desired. But tonight? Well…she was back to hot damn.

 

 In the past Charlotte had appreciated guys with a more classic, clean cut look. But from the minute she had seen Jon she had instantly fallen for his gorgeous hair and was sad that he kept it hidden under his ball cap so much of the time. But tonight those blonde curls were tousled just right and Charlotte wanted nothing more than to run her fingers through them.

 

Maybe they should get through dinner first.

 

“So, how was work,” Jon asked, needing a safe topic to get the conversation started. Hopefully once they started talking Jon would be able to function as a normal human being again and stop staring at her like an idiot. He could only hope.

 

“It was good. I’m so sorry that I had to push back the date, by the way. There were some things that happened this afternoon with a couple of the cases I was working on and we needed to finish up the paperwork.”

 

“No problem. That makes sense. I get it.” And boy did he understand, coming from a family where there always seemed to be a work problem made him much more sensitive to abrupt changes in plans. Whether it was an avalanche or a breaking story, Jon had been dealing with work commitments delegating his life for several years now. It always sucked, but it was a viable excuse and he was used to it.

 

“Really? Are you sure?”

 

“Of course. Your work is important.”

 

Charlotte smiled. He sounded so genuine and understanding, as if he had dealt with that sort of thing before. And there appeared to be no animosity or hidden meaning behind the words. Sometimes…people had issues in sudden changes of plans, but it was a part of her work that couldn’t be avoided. So if Jon was really understanding of that part of her life, that was a really good sign.

 

Though, it would be interesting to see if he was just as understanding about changing plans on their sixth date as he was for the first one.

 

Ooohh their sixth date. Just thinking about it made Charlotte giddy and she could hardly wait.

 

“I appreciate that you said that. But your work is important too. You haven’t talked about football lately. How has practice been going?”

 

Crap. As much as he wanted her feedback and was curious of her honest opinion of the situation, he hadn’t wanted to start off the date by talking about himself. Thankfully, he was saved by the waiter coming up and asking for their orders. Jon had been scanning the menu earlier and Charlotte already knew her favorite item, so the ordering didn’t take that long.

 

After the waiter walked away, Charlotte turned back to Jon. “So, you got cut off a little bit ago and didn’t get to answer the question. How was football practice this week?”

 

Jon felt torn. On one hand he would love to get Charlotte’s opinion on his football problems. But on the other hand, there was no way she really wanted to talk about football, did she?

 

“Oh, I mean, it was fine. I’d rather hear about your week and how your job is going,” Jon said, avoiding the question. He grabbed one of the complimentary breadsticks the waiter had provided and took a bite.

 

“I’ve told you all about my work I want to hear about your job,” Charlotte insisted, genuinely curious why Jon was avoiding such a simple question.

 

“Okay, but didn’t you say the day that we met that you didn’t really care for football,” Jon countered, taking another bite of the delicious breadstick.

 

Charlotte giggled. “Mostly I said that because I thought you were conceited and I didn’t want you to talk about yourself anymore.”

 

“What? Me conceited?” Jon gestured to himself and acted as if he was offended. His actions were a bit over the top and resulted in another laugh from Charlotte. “I can’t believe you thought someone like me only cared about himself. Someone who is charming, witty, oh and very handsome,” Jon added with a wink.

 

“Oh yes, how silly of me to think even for a second that you were full of yourself,” Charlotte retorted, enjoying their little game.

 

“Exactly. And since I am so completely not full of myself, I think we should always talk about me, just me.”

 

Charlotte knew he was once again going for the joke, but at that moment he was just so darn cute that she couldn’t resist. She leaned closer. “Babe, we can talk about anything you want,” Charlotte said, then went for the kiss, which Jon happily returned.

 

“Ahem,” the waiter spoke a few minutes later, causing Jon and Char to quickly break apart. “I have your food,” he said awkwardly, his face turning beet red. The young teenager managed to set down the plates before quickly skittering away. Jon and Charlotte managed to hold it together until the boy left, then they burst out laughing.

 

“I think we scarred the poor kid for life,” Charlotte said between laughs.

 

“Yeah, I should probably leave him a big tip,” Jon said, still chuckling as well. “At least the food looks good.”

 

“Very true,” Charlotte agreed, before sampling her food. They made small talk about their meal selections for a few minutes before Charlotte brought up her question from before.

 

“So, how many times are you going to avoid talking about football practice,” Charlotte asked, cutting up the grilled chicken she had ordered.

 

“I’m not avoiding it,” Jon insisted.

 

“Really? Because this is like the third time I brought it up and you tried to change the subject,” Charlotte said, totally calling him out.

 

“Honestly, I just didn’t think you would want to talk about it.”

 

“Well, admittedly, it isn’t my favorite topic in most cases, but clearly something about the practices is bothering you. So I’d like to hear about it.”

 

Her smile was genuine, that much was obvious. But it was more than that, like she was actually concerned about him, even though they had only known each other a week.

 

Jon spent the next few minutes detailing the same situation he had explained to Jordan earlier about wanting to replace some of the lazy seniors with harder working underclassmen. Much like his brother, Charlotte listened intently and asked the right questions at the appropriate times. But unlike Jordan, she didn’t immediately sing his praises. Instead, she took a much more realistic approach. 

 

“So have you thought about how you will handle the backlash from the parents if you change the starting lineup?”

 

“I know it will be a problem, but I don’t have any idea what to do about it. I’ve been trying to brainstorm some options but I keep coming up blank.”

 

“Well, from what you told me, you have good reasons for switching out the seniors. Maybe write down your exact reasons for making the changes. Then you could take the information to the principal so that way he’s in the loop. If you have the administration on your side that could really be a point in your favor if there are parent complaints.”

 

Jon took a bite of his salad. “Wow, that’s a really good idea.”

 

“And before you even announce the changes you could give a talk to the whole team reminding them that no spot is set in stone and that everyone has to work for their positions. It would give the upperclassmen something to think about. And if they act the same way then you have your answer about whether or not it is the right call.”

 

Jon wanted to enjoy his steak and potatoes now that he had finished his salad, but he could only stare at Charlotte in wonder and amazement. “You are really smart. Those are such good ideas. How did you know exactly what I needed to hear? Did you read my mind,” he asked, giving her one of his boyish, trademark grins.

 

“No,” she said, deciding not to go down the joking path like they had before. “I can tell this is something that was really bothering you and that you really care about those kids and about doing the right thing. So I thought you deserved decent advice.” 

 

Jon shook his head. “I can’t believe I was worried you wouldn’t want to talk about this.”

 

“Yeah, where’d that come from anyway?” Charlotte took a sip of her water, genuinely curious about the answer.

 

“I don’t know. I’m not used to really talking about my problems. And I guess maybe I was worried you wouldn't think it was important. Compared to what you do, being a football coach is nothing.”

 

“Hey, uh-uh, you can just stop that negativity right now, okay. We may have different jobs, but your work is just as important. Kids need good coaches to keep them on the straight and narrow. Plus there’s all the good work you do inside the classroom as well.”

 

Charlotte reached across the table and took Jon’s hand. "Besides, it doesn’t matter how important you think something is or isn’t. If it has something to do with you, I’m automatically interested.”

 

“And why is that?”

 

Char noted the teasing look in his eyes. “Well, if I have to spell it out for you, because I’m interested in you, Jon Kent. Actually, I’m very interested,” she amended, leaning closer.

 

“But what if that waiter comes back? Does he really need to see this again,” John whispered against her lips.

 

“I brought cash too. We can leave him a bigger tip.”

 

And she kissed him until they were both breathless and oblivious to the world around them.

Chapter 9: Before Dinner

Summary:

Jordan picks Jon up for family dinner and the boys have an important discussion.

Chapter Text

The next afternoon Jon was sitting at his tiny kitchen table, engrossed in the playbook and a print out roster of his players. Both Jordan and Charlotte had convinced him that his idea of switching out the lazy seniors with the ambitious underclassmen was a good idea. So Jon had been working hard, rearranging who would play which positions and what they needed to accomplish in practice if the changes were going to be effective in the first game.

 

Truthfully, he should have been grading papers, as the work had piled up throughout the week. But after making the decision, he couldn’t think about anything else but preparing for the practices in the next week. Charlotte had given Jon some great ideas about how to present the line up change to the principal and ways to handle nosy parents.

 

But most importantly, he was looking forward to giving the few stellar underclassmen a fair chance. Jon knew all about how high school sports worked, usually the younger kids didn’t even get a second glance and the coaches focused on the seniors. But Jon was determined to give some of his underclassmen a real chance to prove themselves, understanding that most kids needed just that, a chance. 

 

And if anyone knew what it was like to fight for a second chance it was Jon Kent. After having royally messed up in high school, Jon had spent the next several years trying to prove to his family, the town of Smallville and himself that he was worth giving a second chance to.

 

It took a while, but most of the people in Smallville eventually tolerated him, though he never played football there again. His parents were more hesitant, keeping a closer eye on him than when he was younger. Things were pretty good between them now, though there had been some tension when Jon announced he was going into teaching, especially with his father, Clark. 

 

It was obvious after the X-K stuff Clark wanted to keep Jon closer to home. He encouraged his son to pick a career that would keep him in Smallville, or even Metropolis. But after a lot of consideration, Jon had gone to college four hours away and was currently teaching in a town that was six hours from Smallville.

 

At first his parents had been hurt by the obvious distance Jon had been trying to put between him and his family. But Jon wasn’t trying to hurt them, he just needed some space to discover who he was without being defined by his family. 

 

Jordan also took it hard, as he always did when they were separated. Jon explained to his brother that it wasn’t personal, he just needed to be his own person for once. Of course, it helped a lot that Jordan could fly to Jon within seconds if he wanted to hang out, and being Superboy kept him pretty busy as well.

 

Personally, Jon thought the distance from his family had helped him immensely. He wasn’t constantly feeling like Superman’s failure of a son or the lame twin with no powers. Besides, Lois made sure to invite Jon over for family dinner at least twice a month to give him time to reconnect with them.

 

“Hey bro, you ready to go?”

 

Jon jumped back in surprise. Almost like he had been summoned, Jordan had whooshed into the room and was now standing casually in front of his brother.

 

“Dude don’t do that,” Jon said with a shake of his head, trying to catch his breath. You would think after several years of witnessing his brother’s speedy entrances and exits, they wouldn’t surprise him anymore.

 

But sometimes, when he was really focused on something else, the sudden appearance of his twin could still make him jump, like today.

 

“What,” Jordan asked nonchalantly, as if speeding into an apartment uninvited was an everyday occurrence. “I’m supposed to pick you up for family dinner.”

 

“Right, but see there’s this new invention called knocking. It seems like an insane idea, I know, but I think it might catch on,” Jon retorted.

 

Jordan rolled his eyes at his brother’s sarcastic comment. “There’s also this new idea where twin brothers are actually happy to see each other.”

 

“Hmm I haven’t heard that one,” Jon said, taking a few steps into the kitchen. He took two water bottles from the fridge, one for him and one for Jordan. “Besides, you were literally here yesterday.”

 

“Yeah, but you were really focused on your date. How did that go by the way?” Jordan pulled out a chair and sat at the table with Jon. Both brothers opened the bottles and took a drink at the same time, proving that no matter how much time passed, they were often in sync.

 

“It was good,” Jon said with a shrug, trying to play it cool. “She had some really good advice about the football stuff, which I appreciated.” 

 

Jordan furrowed his brows. “I gave you good advice too.”

 

“I mean…kind of,” Jon said, slowly, trying to decide if he wanted to be honest with his brother. When Jordan looked like he was going to protest, Jon hurriedly finished his thoughts. “Well, you were really encouraging, which was good, obviously. But you’re my brother, you were always going to be on my side. Charlotte was able to help me see the other side, like how the parents might react.”

 

“So she wasn’t on your side,” Jordan asked, immediately jumping to conclusions.

 

“Dude. No, it’s not like that. I said she did side with me and was just trying to help me see the big picture, which I also needed.”

 

“If she really cared about you she would have been supportive,” the brunette twin grumbled, taking another sip of his water.

 

“Jordan, are you even listening? Seriously, what’s your problem?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“Jordan.”

 

“Nothing!”

 

“Wait, are you jealous?”

 

“No,” he immediately claimed, though his eyes gave him away.

 

Jon smirked. “You totally are.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

“Dude, why are you jealous of Charlotte?”

 

“I’m not jealous…exactly.”

 

“Then what are you…exactly,” Jon persisted. Over the past few years Jordan had become much more observant, sure, but Jon had been looking out for his brother their whole lives and this situation was nothing different.

 

“It’s more concern than jealousy.” Jordan took a long drink from his water bottle, as if he was trying to get the courage to answer the question. “It’s just…you always get his way when you date a girl.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You get totally focused on the girl and forget about everyone else. I was just trying to remind you that she may have agreed with you in this one instance, but I’ve always been on your side,” he finished quietly, not meeting his brother’s eyes.

 

Jon softened. They spent so much time bantering with each other and joking around that he often forgot just how much Jordan relied on him and their relationship. “Of course I know you’re on my side. You’re always there for me and I would never take that for granted.”

 

Jordan finally met his brother’s eyes and appreciated that he was taking his concerns seriously. “I know, I just hate that she's going to come between us.”

 

“She isn’t going to come between us,” Jon insisted.

 

“Okay, yeah, except she already has. We barely talked this week because you were too busy with her. You haven’t even known her for seven days and you already put her before me.”

 

“Dude, you have a girlfriend too. There have been plenty of weekends where you’ve gone out with her instead of hanging out with me. What’s the difference?”

 

“The difference is when I can’t hang out I still make sure to call or text. But you always get super wrapped up in the girl you’re with and I don’t hear from you.”

 

“Yeah, that’s called having a girlfriend!”

 

“Yeah, but how am I supposed to make sure you’re okay if you don’t talk to me?”

 

“Jordan…”

 

“You hate it when I use my super hearing to listen in on you, which I get, obviously. But when you don’t tell me stuff I start to freak out and worry that something bad happened.”

 

“Bro, you don’t need to worry so much. I tell you stuff.”

 

“Oh really, what about yesterday? If the girl hadn’t worked late, you wouldn’t have even told me about the football issues. And, if I hadn’t shown up here, you probably wouldn’t have even told me you were going out with someone in the first place.” Jordan had gotten up and was pacing across the small space and Jon could see how worked up his brother was getting.

 

“And I get it man, you moved here to have your own life, you made that really clear. But how am I supposed to protect you if I don’t know what’s going on? This girl. Charlotte, or whatever, can’t protect you like I can, that's all I’m saying.”

 

“Wait, you think you have to protect me too?”

 

“Obviously. With my powers, I have to look out for you, especially because you’re so far away. But when I’m not supposed to listen in and you don’t answer your phone it’s really difficult not to worry or stay away.”

 

Jon finally realized what was going on, why Jordan was acting so weird. This wasn’t just about Charlotte, or football, it went much deeper. It was time to do some damage control. “Let’s go sit on the couch.” At first Jordan resisted, but Jon convinced his brother to join him.

 

“Okay, look, powers or not, it’s not your job to protect me.”

 

“But–”

 

“Let me finish. You should be focusing on your own life, not worrying about me and hovering all the time.”

 

Jordan looked down. He hadn’t wanted to make his brother angry.

 

“That’s what you should be doing. But I understand if you can’t.”

 

Jordan looked up in surprise. “Wait, what?”

 

“Dude, I know I joke about this all the time, but you are exactly like Dad. He does the same thing. I know Mom has told him a million times he doesn’t need to worry about her, but it doesn’t do any good. So I’m not going to tell you don’t worry, I’m just saying you don’t have to. You’re not my bodyguard, you’re my brother.”

 

Slowly, a shy smile worked its way across Jordan’s face. “Thanks for saying that. I wish I could turn it off, but I just can’t.”

 

“And I get it, I do.” Jon reached over and placed a hand on Jordan’s shoulder. “But if I’m not texting you back, it’s not because I’m picking Charlotte or football over you, I’m just busy. That’s the way my life is now, I have other things going on.”

 

Jordan nodded, his brother's words making a lot of sense. They were both growing up and their lives had changed a lot.

 

“But, you're also right. I do tend to get tunnel vision and only focus on one thing. So yes, I could be better about responding to texts and keeping you updated on things. That’s my bad.”

 

“And I need to keep my protective tendencies under control,” Jordan grudgingly admitted. “Sorry for freaking out.”

 

“No worries man.” Jon said, pulling his brother in for a quick hug. Between the two of them, Jordan had always struggled more with separation anxiety when they couldn’t be together.

 

“Hey, Jor, I’m not sure if I want to tell Mom and Dad about Charlotte. It’s still pretty new and there isn’t a lot to tell. I haven’t even asked her to be my girlfriend yet.”

 

“Yeah, they’re more likely to make a big deal about it whether anything happened or not. Speaking of Mom and Dad, they’re expecting us for family dinner.”

 

“Crap. You’re right. Let me throw a few things into a bag, then we can go.”

 

“What kinds of things,” Jordan asked as Jon ran off. “I’m bringing you back tonight.”

 

“Mostly papers I have to grade,” Jon said. He tossed some groups of papers in different folders into a backpack. In addition, he threw in a couple of pens, his gradebook, and also the football stuff that was on the kitchen table.

 

“You’ve been home all day. Couldn’t you have gotten the grading done earlier?” 

 

Jon guiltily looked at the playbook in his hands. “Ummm, I mean, probably…but–”

 

“But you were more focused on your football team,” Jordan said, finishing his brother’s thought.

 

“Yes, okay?” Jon said, putting the playbook in the bookbag and zipping it up. “I meant to get the grading done first, obviously, but then I had some ideas–”

 

“And you couldn’t let them go.” Once again, Jordan finished his brother’s sentence. “I’m not surprised. Anyway, should we go?”

 

Instead of answering, Jon grabbed his bag and jumped on Jordan’s back. The superpowered twin had been giving his brother piggyback rides when they went flying for a few years now and the whole process had become routine. These days, Jon didn’t think anything of it.

 

What he was wondering about, however, was how much he should tell his parents about the things that had been happening in his life lately? Or how could he convince Jordan to be less protective over him? And what were the chances he could convince Charlotte to go on another date Monday after work?

 

These questions and more plagued Jon as his brother took off, taking them both speeding through the air.

Chapter 10: Coming Home

Summary:

Jordan brings Jon home for family dinner and we get a look at Jon's parents and the Kent home.

Chapter Text

Over the years, flying with Jordan had been an interesting experience. The first few times it had been terrifying and secretly Jon was worried they were going to plummet to their deaths. But Jordan had quickly proved to be an adept flier, erasing his brother’s fears.

 

Then it became exhilarating. Speeding through the air without a care in the world. Zooming over and through the clouds like a bird. Several times Jon had tried to put the feeling into words, but he just couldn’t. There was nothing like it.

 

But these days, flying with Jordan was almost commonplace. He had done it so many times that he had forgotten how much it used to impress him. Flying with his brother was still fun, sure, but the novelty had worn off.

 

As usual, Jon buried his face into his brother’s shoulder. If they were going for a slower ride he would enjoy the sky and the scenery, but when the objective was speed, as it was that Sunday afternoon, Jon knew the best thing was to keep his face down.

 

Within minutes, Jordan had flown both of them from Jon’s apartment to their family home located in the countryside, on the outskirts of Smallville, Kansas.

 

Jordan landed near the porch in front of the house. Jon slid off his brother’s back and took a look at the old place. Sometimes it amazed him how the house never changed.

 

It was still the same faded color it had always been. But truthfully, a new coat of paint would probably make it feel different and not like home. August was technically a summer month, so there was still evidence of the flowers his mom tried to grow every summer, with varying results. This year she had done pretty well, based on the multiple colors and different kinds of flowers.

 

There was a simplicity and peacefulness Jon felt from coming home. It didn’t matter how much time passed, or what was going on in the world, there was just something about coming home.

 

The screen door opened, and there she was, wearing jeans and a long cardigan over her favorite purple T- shirt. A gold necklace that Clark had gotten her for an anniversary a few years back was adorned at her neck. There were a few more wrinkles around her eyes these days and she had to dye her hair occasionally to keep it the warm, dark color she preferred. But still, the brunette hair framed her face in the same, soft waves they always had. Her features could be sharp and shrewd, which Jon knew very well, though today there was no hardness in her eyes.

 

There, in all of her glory, was Lois Lane.

 

Mom.

 

“Oh, Jonathan,” she exclaimed, rushing down the porch steps and throwing herself into her son’s arms. He graciously returned the hug. She was his mom after all, and he missed her more than he would willingly admit. Lois had a way of completely enveloping her boys when she hugged them, despite the fact that they had been taller than her since the age of seventeen.

 

After getting a satisfactory hug from her son, she kissed his cheek, then pulled back to get a good look at him. Jon’s style hadn’t changed much since he was a teenager. He was sporting a T-shirt and jeans that afternoon, though she knew he had to wear dress shirts and ties for work. But at home, he could just be Jonathan, casual, laid back, and also fairly sarcastic. 

 

His hair was windblown, clear evidence of his flying trip with Jordan. Lois couldn’t help it, she ran her fingers through his blonde curls, the same way she had since he was a young boy. His blue eyes were shining and his mouth had a hint of a smirk as if he was amused by his mom’s over the top reaction to their arrival.

 

But she didn’t care, her baby boy, her Jonathan, was home, if only for a little while.

 

Everything was perfect.

 

“Hey, Mom.”

 

 Lois knew her son well, because he was amused by her reaction. Even though he came home fairly often, she still made a big deal every time. Jon knew he was expected to play it cool, but secretly, he loved how special his mom made him feel.

 

“Hi, Jonathan. How are you sweetie?”

 

“I’m good. How are you?”

 

“Better now that you’re home,” Lois answered, staring adoringly at her son.

 

“So am I just one of the chickens, now, or what,” Jordan asked, throwing his hands up in mock annoyance. He saw his parents almost every day, so he wasn’t actually bothered by the attention that Jon was getting.

 

“I mean…”

 

“No, honey, of course not,” Lois said, cutting in before the brotherly banter escalated as it often did. “I’m always happy to see you too.” She then pulled Jordan in for a hug and kiss.

 

“Where’s Dad?”

 

“I’m not exactly sure,” Lois said, leading the boys inside. They followed her into the comfy living room. Out of habit, the boys sat next to each other on the couch while Lois took the oversized armchair. Lois couldn’t help but grin seeing the boys pick the spot where they could sit next to each other.

 

They were so different; they always had been. But sometimes, in the simplest moments, their twin instincts reminded Lois of when they were infants snuggled up in the same crib because they couldn’t fall asleep if they were apart. And now, twenty plus years later they still gravitated toward each other.

 

“Mom, why do you look like you’re going to cry,” Jon asked, pulling Lois out of the flashback she had allowed herself to remember.

 

“What? Huh,” Lois asked in a startled voice. “No, I don’t.”

 

“Yeah, you do,” agreed Jordan, forming a tag team with his brother, as they often did.

 

“You were staring at us and then…wait, were you thinking about when we were babies,” Jon asked, proving Lois’ sons knew her just as well as she knew them.

 

“Okay, guys–”

 

“That’s totally what you were thinking. Come on Mom, admit it,” Jordan insisted, obviously in agreement with Jon.

 

“Maybe I was,” Lois said in a small voice.

 

“See, I knew it!”

 

“Okay, but I couldn’t help it, the way you two sat together just now reminded me of when you were little and how you couldn’t sleep unless you were together in the same crib. Then you guys would snuggle really close and it was just so cute.”

 

“Aw man,” Jordan said, wincing at his mom’s story; Jon did the same. “Can you stop with the stories about when we were babies?”

 

“Yeah, seriously, Mom, it’s really embarrassing,” Jon said, visibly cringing.

 

“Guys, the three of us are the only ones in the house, how can I possibly be embarrassing you?”

 

“It doesn’t matter who’s around, it’s still a story from when we were babies,” Jordan clarified. “Which means we don’t want to hear it.”

 

“You know, if we’re talking baby stories, I have plenty more–”

 

“No,” exclaimed Jordan and Jon at the same time. Lois smiled. It really didn’t get much better than this.

 

“Let’s talk about something else. You never said where Dad was,” Jon said, anxious to change the subject. Once you got Lois started on baby stories she could go on for hours.

 

“I’m not exactly sure. Thailand? Indonesia? He wasn’t clear, but somewhere in Asia.”

 

Jordan tilted his head, a clear sign he was using his super hearing. A few seconds later he gave an update. “Yeah, Dad’s in Indonesia, there’s a bad tsunami there.”

 

“Does he need help?”

 

“Yeah, probably, but he hasn’t called for me.”

 

“Why don’t you go help him, sweetie,” Lois suggested. “You guys can get home faster and we can all have more time together.” Jordan glanced over at his brother for approval, not wanting to leave unless Jon was okay. His twin nodded and a second later Jordan had zoomed off.

 

“Catch me up on your life,” Lois said, moving over to the couch so she was sitting by Jon. “What’s new with you?”

 

Jon froze. He should have known his famous investigative reporter mom would go straight for the probing questions. “Oh you know, more of the same, school and football mostly.”

 

“I see,” Lois said shortly, not impressed with the vague answer. “What’s going on at the school? How are you liking it?”

 

Jon relaxed a tiny bit, knowing his work was something he could comfortably talk about. “I like it a lot actually. They gave me five science classes and a computer class to teach this first semester. So it’s nice to have a few hours of the day free for lesson planning and grading. Plus, with that free time, sometimes they call me to help out with the PE classes, which I’ve done a few times now. Let me tell you, trying to convince thirty freshmen that they don’t need to throw dodgeballs at each other’s heads is harder than it sounds.”

 

A smile crept across Lois’ face. “It sounds like you're having a good time.”

 

Jon returned the smile. “I am. There are challenges of course, like explaining to the kids that they can make it 45 minutes without their cell phones. But overall it’s nice to finally be working in a school.”

 

“I can see how you’d be a good teacher. You’re very patient and logical, wildly intelligent of course, as well as having a good understanding of the people around you.”

 

Jon blushed from his mom’s praises and shifted uncomfortably on the couch. “Thanks. I’m trying to be. Actually, since Dad and Jordan aren’t here, do you mind if I grade some papers until supper as ready, and we can hang out more after,” Jon asked, in what he considered to be a smooth shift in topic.

 

“Yeah, that would be okay. But I have a few more questions first.”

 

“Aww, Mom.”

 

“You haven’t told me anything about football.”

 

“What’s to tell? It’s a game and I coach it.”

 

“Mm-hmm, and how is that going,” Lois persisted, following the gut feeling that there was something more going on.

 

“Fine. It has its challenges, just like in the classroom, but I’m managing it.”

 

“Jonathan–”

 

“Seriously, Mom, it’s fine. Nothing I can’t handle.”

 

“If you’re sure…”

 

“Yes, I’m sure. You can ask more questions later, but I really need to get this grading done.”

 

“Alright, fine,” Lois said with a sigh, feigning disappointment. “You can go up to your old room if you want a quiet place to work.”

 

“Thanks, Mom,” Jon said, grabbing the bookbag and heading toward the stairs.

 

But just as Jon thought he was home free, Lois asked one more question. “So what’s her name?”

 

“What?”

 

“What’s her name? The girl you’re thinking about.” Such a simple comment, yet it stopped Jon in his tracks.

 

Damn. Lois was good. Jon thought he hadn’t given any indication that there was a girl in the picture and still his mom called him out. He tried one more time to throw her off.

 

“There’s not a girl.”

 

Lois smiled. Jon saying that there wasn’t a girl, basically confirmed her suspicions that there was.

 

“Jonathan…”

 

“Okay, so there’s a girl.”

 

“Obviously,” Lois said in that knowing tone of hers. “So tell me about her.”

 

Jon turned around to face his persistent mother. “There’s nothing to tell. We’ve been talking and only went out on one date so far.”

 

“But you’re going to see her again.”

 

“Well, yeah, I mean that’s the plan,” Jon said, running his fingers through his hair. He always felt awkward when talking about girls with his parents, especially his mom, which is why he had hoped to avoid bringing up Charlotte today. That plan totally backfired.

 

“How many times have you kissed her?”

 

“Mom!” Scandalized that his mother would suggest that, and be right, was enough to send Jon scurrying for the stairs. “We are not having this conversation.”

 

Lois watched Jon run up the steps and laughed to herself. The way he was acting showed he had a major crush on this girl. And, considering the fact that he didn’t answer the question, had probably kissed her several times. Lois was okay with it. Jon was an adult, and deserved to have somebody special in his life.

 

Meanwhile, Jon finally made it up to his old room and was in total disbelief that his mom managed to call him out on several of the the things that he had intended to keep private. She didn’t know all the details about football, but at this rate, Jon will have confessed everything before Jordan took him back later that night. Jon grudgingly sat down and began to grade the stack of papers he had brought. 

 

Even though it was a little annoying how well his mom managed to see through him, Jon eventually settled into his grading. He really should have done it more throughout the week but he had been busy talking to Charlotte, working on football stuff, hanging out with his new friends a few nights…and talking to Charlotte. Jon got into a rhythm and had barely noticed that two hours had passed. So when Jordan knocked on his door, he jumped in surprise.

 

“Yeah. Come in.”

 

“How’s the grading going?”

 

“Fine. I got a lot done. You guys handled the tsunami I’m assuming.” Jon said, subtly looking over his brother for any obvious injuries. Jordan had all the same powers their dad did, but he wasn’t completely invincible and sometimes got hurt.

 

“Yeah, we took care of it,” Jordan answered, stepping into the room. “Afterwards, they still needed a lot of help picking up debris and stuff like that, so we stuck around for a while. I think they appreciated it.”

 

“Nice one.”

 

Thanks. Anyway, Mom wanted me to tell you that supper’s almost ready.”

 

“She did the cooking,” Jon asked in an apprehensive voice. It was a well known fact in their house that when Lois Lane did the cooking, it was anyone’s guess if it would actually be edible.

 

“Not really, she only boiled the water for the pasta and got out the ingredients. Dad did most of the work.”

 

“Well that’s a relief. Let me finish up here and then I’ll be right down.” Jordan nodded in affirmation then zoomed off. Why walk when you could use superspeed? 

 

Jon recorded a couple more grades from the class he was working on then tidied up his papers. He probably wasn’t going to have time to work anymore after they ate, so there was no point in leaving a mess. A few minutes later, he was headed down the stairs, thankful that their dad was doing the cooking. He loved his mom, but she had no business anywhere near a kitchen.

 

Jon walked into the kitchen to find his family setting the table, in the same, familiar way they had for years. Suddenly, the man carrying the pot of noodles turned around and made eye contact with Jon. He had changed out of his Superman costume, as it wasn’t necessary for family dinner. Instead, he was wearing jeans and one of his classic gray cardigans over a long sleeved cotton T- shirt. He seemed just as in control in the family kitchen as he did rescuing people from burning buildings. His usual pair of oversized glasses was perched on his nose; another hint that he was truly at home. His dark hair was more tame than Jordan’s after the rescue since he had more practice not letting himself get too mussed when they made super saves. This was the man that Jonathan worked so hard to impress on the football field when he was growing up. It was the same man that had been so disappointed at the mistakes Jon made in high school. Jon had been working for years to get that relationship back, but he knew in his heart, no matter how good things were now, it was nothing compared to what they had or even his relationship with Jordan.

 

Clark Kent.

Chapter 11: Family Dinner

Summary:

Jon enjoys dinner with his family and get's some unexpected advice.

Chapter Text

 

The moment Clark noticed his son’s presence, a huge smile spread across his face. “Jonathan! You’re home!”

 

He set the pan of noodles down on the in the center of the table and walked over to pull his son in for a large bear hug. Lois and Clark had always been fairly affectionate with their boys and that hadn’t changed over the years, especially after Jon moved away.

 

Jon happily returned the hug, knowing that moments like this with his dad were few and far between.

 

He had trouble being honest with his dad about his emotions these days, especially about his place in the family. But there, in his father’s arms, he felt like a young boy again who didn’t have a care in the world. And if he did have problems, his dad could probably solve them.

 

They pulled back and Clark left his hands on his son’s shoulders, allowing for a moment just to look at Jon and be thankful that he was actually home. Clark had tried his best to give Jonathan his space over the past few years. Life in a “super family” had definitely taken its toll on Jon and Clark dealt with that guilt every day.

 

Jon was always fairly in control, playing it cool, rolling with the punches and doing whatever needed to be done, but Clark recognized the pain that was often in his son’s eyes.

 

He wished more than anything that Jon would come to him and talk about the things that were bothering him. But as Jon had gotten older, he had kept his feelings a lot more private. He was still cordial and friendly when he was around the family so it wasn’t completely obvious. 

 

But Clark noticed.

 

He also knew enough about Jon that if he pushed too hard, or tried to convince Jon to talk before he was ready, he would just pull further into his shell.

 

So when Jon asked to go to school four hours away, Lois had been against it, but Clark knew it was what their son needed. Obviously he tried to get Jon to stay closer, but he was determined to move away.

 

These days Clark didn’t hear from his son as often as he would like. But still, he made sure to stay positive and keep an open ear, just in case Jon ever decided to open up.

 

“Hey Dad, how’s it going?”

 

“Good, good. The food is all ready,” he said, gesturing to the table. Clark was feeling a bit awkward. He was glad Jon was home, obviously, but sometimes it was hard to know how to talk to him after they had been apart for a while.

 

“Yeah, I can see that. And I hear Mom didn’t help at all, so that must mean it’s edible.”

 

Lois turned around and waved a large spoon at Jon. “Watch it mister, or you can eat yours in the barn. Is that what you want?”

 

“No ma’am.”

 

“And Jonathan, don’t be rude to your mother like that. You know she is a fine cook.”

 

Lois grinned at her husband, knowing that he would always be on her side. But the minute Lois turned back toward the stove, Clark looked at Jon and whispered. “No she isn’t.”

 

Jon had to repress a laugh. Around Lois, Clark always portrayed the dutiful husband who supported her no matter what. But behind her back, he and the boys had often reflected on how truly awful Lois’ cooking was.

 

The Kent’s all sat down at the dinner table, exchanging pleasantries as they dished the food onto their plates. For a moment it could have been any given meal as a family. Jonathan took extra breadsticks, Jordan gagged at the sight of green beans, Clark insisted on an inhuman amount of parmesan cheese and Lois had to remind all three of her boys more than once not to put their spoons into the bowls of food after they had already eaten off of them. 

 

It was nice to enjoy some normalcy for once. Jordan and Jon were kicking each other under the table when they thought their parents weren’t looking. Lois and Clark saw and ignored the boys, instead, choosing to focus on lovingly staring into each other’s eyes, not their of legal aged sons who were arguing over which of them had started the fight.

 

Yep, just a normal night.

 

But normal for the Kent’s looked a little different than most families. So in an effort to get the boys to stop messing around and hopefully not throw pasta at each other–which had in fact happened at the Fourth of July supper less than two months prior–Lois decided to get a conversation started.

 

“So how was the tsunami?” Mm-hmm. Just a normal night in the Kent household.

 

“I haven’t been to Indonesia in a few weeks, so that part was kind of fun,” Jordan said, scooting away the green beans Lois had put on his plate despite his protests.

 

“People lost their homes, Jordan,” Lois chided gently.

 

“Well yeah, but I was talking about flying over Indonesia before we got to the tsunami. The country’s really scenic; a lot different from Kansas, I can tell you that much.”

 

“Hey, Kansas has nice scenery too,” Jon insisted, already halfway through his second breadstick.

 

“Yeah right.”

 

“I’m serious. There’s some really nice…cornfields, you know, and barns.”

 

“What kind of person thinks that cornfields and barns make for nice scenery,” Jordan asked, thoroughly enjoying the brotherly banter.

 

“New Yorkers.”

 

“To answer your mom’s question,” Clark said, cutting the boys off before the argument could escalate any more. “We handled the tsunami and then helped out as much as we could afterwards.”

 

“That’s great guys. And while you were gone, I had a great conversation with Jonathan,” Lois said, enjoying her green beans, unlike Jordan.

 

“Oh yeah, what did you talk about,” asked Clark. If Jonathan was volunteering information about his life, Clark was definitely interested.

 

“Oh you know, the usual, work, football, and the new girl he’s going out with.”

 

Clark looked up in surprise. “There’s a girl? That’s great, bud.”

 

Jon rolled his eyes. This is exactly why he didn’t want to say anything. Both his parents were making way too big of a deal about this. He and Charlotte had only been talking for a week and they had literally been on one date. Did Jon see a future with her…yes, definitely. But his parents didn’t need to know that part.

 

“It’s really not that big of a deal,” Jon said, trying to play it cool.

 

Jordan snorted. “If you say so.”

 

Lois considered the situation. “We’ve been looking at this all wrong. We shouldn’t be pestering Jon for information. He’s a closed book.” She looked over at her other son. “Jordan, what’s her name?”

 

“Charlotte.”

 

“Dude,” Jon exclaimed, smacking his brother.

 

“What,” asked Jordan, unfazed by Jon’s reaction. “You weren’t going to tell them.”

 

“That didn’t mean you had to.”

 

“Yeah, well, it’s Mom. She wasn’t going to let up until I told her, so I’m just saving some time.”

 

“And how serious are they,” Lois asked. Jordan was right, she was determined to get answers.

 

“Well, he wasn’t lying, they have only been on one date, but he got dressed up and wore that fancy cologne.”

 

“Really,” Clark asked with a note of surprise in his voice.

 

“Yep, I could smell it before I got in the apartment.”

 

“Dude, I don’t think you should be lecturing me about wearing too much cologne, given your history.”

 

Jordan ignored his brother. “I also found out they kissed the night they met.”

 

“Damn it, Jordan,” said Jon, dropping his head in his hands.

 

“Hey, language,” Clark chided gently, as if Jon was still a kid. “Also, kissing on the first date? Please tell me you’re treating this girl with respect.”

 

“Of course I am. And besides, I didn’t even initiate the first kiss. She kissed me,” Jon explained, getting annoyed that he had to defend his actions.

 

“That part I didn’t know,” Jordan said with a slight chuckle.

 

Clark raised his eyebrows. “She kissed you?”

 

 “I mean I kissed her back, obviously, but yeah, she kissed me first.”

 

“Okay, now I really want to meet her.”

 

“Keep dreaming Jordan,” Jon muttered. “Dude, besides, we talked about this. I didn’t want to bring up Charlotte today.”

 

“Why didn’t you want to talk about her,” Lois asked, her tone slightly accusing.

 

“Because I knew you guys would make a big deal about it and like I’ve already said we’re just getting to know each other. I thought I was coming home for family dinner, not an interrogation.”

 

“That’s not what this is,” Lois said.

 

“Well, that’s what it feels like,” Jon said, crossing his arms. “First you were pressuring me to talk about football and now Charlotte. Can’t you guys just let up?”

 

“What’s going on with football,” Clark asked, immediately concerned. Jon’s relationship with football was complicated. It had been his life as a child and young teen, but was taken away for most of high school. The fact that it had become such a prominent part of his life again worried Clark.

 

Jon angrily stood up. “Why don’t you guys just ask Jordan, I’m sure he’d love to tell you. I thought I could come home for a nice dinner for once, but everything is just the same as always; you guys butting into my life because you think I’m making bad decisions.” Jon stormed out of the kitchen, knowing he needed to get away from the situation before he said something he regretted.

 

“What was that all about,” Clark asked Jordan, as soon as Jon had left the room. “Is he okay?”

 

“Earlier this week he became the head football coach,” Jordan said quietly. “He’s really excited about it, but you knew you guys would be worried, which is why he didn’t say anything.”

 

Lois and Clark exchanged glances as they took in the surprising information. “Jordan, I think you better tell us everything you know.”

 

~~~~~

 

Jon was leaning against the porch railing, looking out across their family farmland, and trying to figure out what in the hell he was going to say to his parents after blowing up at them.

 

They hadn’t really been pushing that hard, he was just defensive because wasn’t comfortable being that honest with his family. Plus, he had seen the concerned look on his dad’s face as soon as he mentioned football. After all this time, his dad was still worried that getting too involved with football would encourage him to go down the wrong path again.

 

That’s why he wanted to have a better handle on this whole coaching thing before he told his parents. Jon had been thinking if he could show his parents how he could be successful at football again, maybe they wouldn’t worry so much. He had been hoping to have won a few games at least before they found out; obviously, that didn’t happen. 

 

Jon heard the front door open. Apparently his time of processing in solace was over. His whole family worried about him constantly, so there’s no telling who it would be coming to talk to him.

 

“So head coach, huh? Does that mean you’ve earned an extra slice of pie for dessert?”

 

“There’s pie?”

 

“Sure. That is, if Jordan didn’t eat it all,” Clark said, coming to stand by his son near the porch railing.

 

“That’s highly possible,” Jon said, thinking of his brother’s love of sweets.

 

“Very true,” Clark said with a slight chuckle. “So you wanna tell me what’s going on?”

 

Jonathan had a choice here: he could lie and say that everything was fine or tell the whole truth and worry his parents more. He decided to settle for the middle ground and found himself opening up to his father more than he had in a long time. So for the next few minutes, Jon talked about how he became head coach and how he was considering changing the starting lineup. He didn’t say anything about the other coaches or the pressures of the local parents yet; he wasn’t ready to be quite that honest.

 

Clark was a good listener, nodding and reacting at the appropriate times. He knew Jon needed to get the whole story out before he said anything substantial. As much as he worried about his son getting into football again, he couldn’t deny the way Jon’s eyes lit up when he talked about the practices and the players he was working with. When Jon started to explain his dilemma about whether he should swap out the lazy seniors for the motivated upperclassmen, Clark felt an immense wave of pride for his son. Undoubtedly, Jon had been thrown into a difficult situation and was making the best of it. He was handling the situation with sensitivity and maturity, which not everyone could do.

 

“So, yeah, Charlotte and Jordan both think I should switch them, but I have my doubts.”

 

 Clark took a deep breath. He was honored that Jon had decided to confide in him and was determined to give his best advice. “What’s the worst thing that could happen if you don’t switch out that group of seniors? Would you lose the opening game if you kept the lineup the same?”

 

“Honestly, I think so. The way those guys showboat in practice, I think at a game they would be even worse. Plus, they barely know the drills and hardly try. I feel like we would get to the game and they would get completely overwhelmed.”

 

“So you think it would be worse for the team overall if you kept the line up the way it is.”

 

“Yes,” Jon answered confidently. “I really don’t think that group of seniors is ready to lead.”

 

“It sounds to me like you know what you want to do.”

 

“Yeah, I want to put in the players that deserve it.” Jon ran a hand through his hair. “But if I bench three seniors, there could be a lot of backlash.” 

 

“There could be, yes,” Clark agreed. He briefly put his hand on Jon’s shoulder. “That’s the difficult thing about doing what is right, often times, it isn’t the most popular decision.”

 

Jon looked over at his dad. “Yeah, I guess you’d know that better than most people.”

 

Clark nodded. “I do. But, Jonathan, you clearly have good instincts here. Trust yourself.” Clark put both hands on his son’s shoulders. “There may be challenges along the way, but if this is something you really believe in, give it everything you’ve got and do what you think is right. And no matter what happens, we’ll be on your side.”

 

Jon wanted to thank his dad, but it just didn’t seem good enough. So he pulled his father in for a hug instead. Things still weren’t perfect between them and Jon wasn’t comfortable enough to be completely honest about everything that was going on. But the fact that they had actually had a positive conversation about football was beyond anything Jon had dreamed.

 

When they pulled back, Jon wanted to tell his dad how much the support meant and how much he appreciated the good advice. Actually, what he wanted more than anything was to ask his dad if he would come to the first game. But he resisted, assuming neither one was quite comfortable with that yet. So instead, Jon simply said, “Should we go get some pie, or do you think Jordan ate it all?”

 

Clark threw back his head and laughed. Jonathan had really shown some maturity tonight, thinking as a coach and a leader. But in spite of everything that had changed, he was still just Jon, the same, fun loving, easy going kid he always had been. Clark casually tossed his arm around Jon’s shoulder and pulled him in for a quick side hug.

 

“I’d like to hope there’s some pie left, but I also know your brother.”

 

“Which means there’s probably no pie left and a lot of green beans,” Jon said jokingly, since he also knew his brother.

 

As he walked back into the house he was finally a little more relaxed. Jonathan still had a long week ahead, but a lot of things had gone well. He had an enjoyable dinner with his family, had the support of an amazing girl, and also had a good conversation about football with his father. There was no telling what would happen next, but Jon was ready for it.

Chapter 12: Announcements

Summary:

Jon finally announces his changes to the starting lineup and is met with varied results.

Chapter Text

For the most part, Jon’s Monday had been pretty normal. He had gotten his grading done after Jordan flew him back to his apartment Sunday night so he was able to return several papers to his students the next day. Many of them had done well and were pleased to see the high grades. But a few students had barely tried and their poor grades reflected that.

 

He knew he should spend that Monday evening working on his lesson plans for the week, since he hated to get behind. But Marcus caught up with him at lunch and mentioned that the group of guys Jon had eaten with last week was visiting the pizza place in town that night and asked if Jon wanted to come along.

 

Lesson planning verses eating pizza. There was really only one option.

 

He had wanted to hang out with Charlotte again, but she had texted him earlier and said that she would most likely be working late on a case, leaving him free to make other plans for supper. However, they did discuss that she might come over later on to Jon’s apartment to ‘watch a movie’.

 

Jon smiled to himself as he thought about Charlotte’s suggestion. The last time she suggested watching a movie, they ended up making out in his truck for a while instead. So if they actually got inside his apartment this time…

 

Focus Kent.

 

It was 3:00 PM on Monday, meaning most of the kids were in their last class of the day. Jon should have been using his planning period to be productive so he could go out with his new friends without feeling guilty. But instead, he was walking down the long tile hallway to meet with the principal. Even though the circumstances were a little different, Jon still felt the same nerves as the last time he had gone to talk with Mr. Sawyer.

 

This time around, Jon knew what he wanted to say, he just didn’t know how Mr.Sawyer would react. Would he be on Jon’s side or the players? Would he not pick sides? There was no way to know. 

 

Jon knocked on the large office door. Mr. Sawyer gave a terse reply to come in. Nervously, Jon pushed open the door. There was no turning back now.

 

“Kent! Right on time as usual. Come on in.” Kyle gestured for Jon to enter the room, which he did. He then shut the door and tried to remind himself that he hadn’t done anything wrong, that he was handling the situation with maturity. “Have a seat, what’s on your mind, son?”

 

“I wanted to talk to you about the football team.”

 

Kyle smiled. “Of course, I’m always happy to talk about football. You boys have your first game this weekend, right?”

 

“Yes, sir. Actually it’s the first game that I want to talk to you about.”

 

“Alright, what’s going on,” Kyle asked, realizing for the first time this might not be a pleasant, casual conversation about football.

 

“So for the past week I have been running practices based on the starting lineup that Coach Mason left. But as the week went on I started thinking that I want to change up the players on the starting lineup just a bit.”

 

“That’s understandable, you are the head coach after all.” Jon appeared really nervous, so Kyle made sure to keep his voice calm and reassuring.

 

“Even if I want to replace three seniors with underclassmen for the season opener?”

 

Kyle raised his eyebrows in surprise. “Oh. Well, that’s…I’m not sure that’s been done before,” he stammered. “I’m assuming you have a reason.”

 

“Yes, sir,” Jon said, wringing his hands. “The three seniors that I want to remove have been giving really lackluster performances–”

 

“Is that enough of a reason to remove them from the starting lineup?”

 

“No sir, there’s more. These same three have also been slacking off in drills and conditioning, not listening in practice and bullying younger players no matter what I say.” Thankfully, Mr. Sawyer wasn’t so quick to dismiss Jon’s concerns this time around. 

 

“Plus, I have three underclassmen who could easily take their spots. Unlike the seniors, these underclassmen have been working their butts off every single day in practice, they do everything they are asked and are leaders on the field, even though they are younger. I know it’s unorthodox, but I’m telling you these young kids can do anything the seniors can, possibly better. They just need a chance.”

 

Kyle let out a deep breath. “Well that’s a different story. Who are the three players you are considering taking off?”

 

“Jay Smith, Ryan Gleeson and Carson Dillon.”

 

Mr. Sawyer furrowed his brow. “Well that’s interesting. I’ve got messages from teachers over the past few days with concerns about all three of those guys regarding behavioral issues or not turning in homework. No matter what they are doing on the field, problems in the classroom are absolutely grounds for not having them start the first game.”

 

Jon relaxed a tiny bit. He knew Kyle Sawyer was a big advocate for sports and had been worried that the principal wouldn’t take his concerns seriously.

 

“Well, you’re the head coach, if you want to remove those players from starting you have my full support.”

 

“Thank you, sir,” Jon answered with a tiny smile. “That’s what I was hoping for. I think when I make the announcement there will be some backlash from the parents. And I’m worried that…I don’t know how to…”

 

“Handle it,” Kyle filled in helpfully.

 

“Yes sir. I thought if you knew the full story you could maybe…support me on this,” Jon looked up, hopefully.

 

“Absolutely. As I said, you have my full support. If there are any parents that reach out I will say that I’m informed of the situation and I agreed you were making the best decision for the team.”

 

Jon grinned. “Thank you sir. Believe me, I didn’t want it to come to this, but I didn’t think it was fair to drag the rest of the team down.”

 

“You’re right. That wouldn’t be fair. You have to think of the needs of the whole team. So tell me about these stellar underclassmen.”

 

Jon’s grin widened.

 

~~~~~

 

What he was proposing was surprising and not at all traditional. Jon knew that, so it was nice to have the principal’s support. The more he explained the situation and about the underclassmen he wanted to move to the starting positions, the more Kyle seemed on board. He promised he would back Jon up and even offered a bit of advice on ways he might handle the players.

 

The meeting could not have gone better. Kyle was completely supportive, which was encouraging to Jon that he had made the right decision.

 

However, as he walked to the field, he knew things wouldn’t be so simple. Jon hadn’t told anybody else in the school what he was planning so the announcement would be like a bomb dropping for the players and the other coaches.

 

He printed out a roster of the team the way he wanted it, with the underclassmen starting and was planning to reveal the list after practice. The lazy seniors would have one more chance to prove themselves, but Jon didn’t think it would actually matter because no matter what he said, they wouldn’t take him seriously.

 

Twenty minutes later, when he made the announcement that all the spots were up for grabs, Jay, Ryan, and Carson all rolled their eyes.

 

Typical.

 

They assumed their positions weren’t actually in jeopardy and that they didn’t have to listen to the new head coach.

 

Thankfully though, most of the other players took Jon very seriously and were determined to put in the work to prove to their coach that they should keep their spots. Several of the underclassmen also appeared excited and anxious to get on the field to show their what they could do.

 

The tone of that meeting accurately set the stage for what would happen throughout the practice. A majority of the players put in the work as Jon expected they would. But even after several instructions to hustle and focus during the drill, Jay Smith, Ryan Gleeson and their ringleader Carson Dillin were not making any efforts to listen to their head coach.

 

Jon had thought maybe with the threat of all the starting positions on the line the boys would finally decide to take him seriously. But nothing changed.

 

After the players ran their final laps, Jon called them in for a huddle to announce the starting positions for the game that Friday. The first few names Jon called out didn’t raise too many eyebrows, since he decided to start with the most consistent players; the ones everyone knew would have a spot.

 

Then he named a couple of positions where the starters weren’t as obvious. Out of the corner of his eye he saw some of the players exchange looks. Finally, they were realizing the new coach meant business.

 

Jon knew he needed to convey a look of confidence and authority. So without missing a beat, he named the two juniors and sophomore that would be starting in Friday's game: Ricky DeSantos, Adam Brentwood and Devin Lassiter.

 

With the last big announcement, practice was over. Jon made it clear that he would handle any comments or questions the next day. His plan was to give people time to process the news.

 

Unfortunately, the plan didn’t go well.

 

The moment Jon started walking away Jon could hear Steve Dillon yelling about how the situation was BS and that Jon didn’t know what the hell he was doing. He started coming after Jon, but luckily the other coaches held him back.

 

To make matters worse, as soon as Jon got off the field, Marcus confronted him.

 

“Are you dating my sister?”

 

“What? No, man–”

 

“Because Ray told me the other night he was out with his wife and he saw you kissing my sister in the restaurant.” Marcus was normally a calm guy, but after hearing about Jon’s actions he was clearly pissed.

 

“Okay, maybe that part’s true–”

 

“So you’ll make out with her, but you won’t actually date her?”

 

Jon just couldn’t win. If he could just get Marcus to calm down and listen for two seconds, Jon knew they could straighten this whole thing out.

 

Unfortunately, luck was still not on his side.

 

Because of Marcus’ distraction, Jon didn’t see the angered form of Steve Dillon  had broken away from the other coaches and was trampling towards him.

 

“Hey, Kent,” Steve yelled. Jon looked up just in time to see the man’s meaty fist swinging towards him, then it was lights out.

Chapter 13: Aftermath

Summary:

After being knocked out, Jon wakes up and must deal with the situation.

Chapter Text

Everything was dark, and Jon’s brain felt a little fuzzy. He wasn’t sure exactly what happened. But as the seconds wore on, he became more aware and eventually his eyes fluttered open.

 

“Whaa–”

 

“Relax, Jon. Everything’s fine.”

 

Still a little out of it, Jon sluggishly turned toward the sound of the voice. It took him a moment to match the name with the slightly blurry face he was seeing.

 

“Mar…cus?”

 

“Yeah, Jon, it’s Marcus. Just don’t move, okay?”

 

“Whaa…happ…nd,” Jon said, his words still slurring a bit.

 

Marcus’ eyes widened. “Um, let’s not worry about that right now. Do you know where you are?”

 

Jon blinked a few times. “Football field.”

 

“Good, that’s good Jon.” It was at that moment Jon noticed Marcus was kneeling next to him and had a hand on his shoulder. Realizing he needed to keep figuring out what had happened, Jon looked around a little more.

 

“Where…the players,” he asked, noticing the field was empty.

 

“They went to the locker room. Practice is over.”

 

Okay. That made sense. “Can I…sit up,” Jon inquired hopefully. 

 

A look of worry crossed Marcus’ face. “Actually, let’s keep you laying down. Help is on the way.”

 

“Help? Like…a doctor?”

 

“Well, I had one of the players go get the trainer.”

 

Jon’s brain was still a little jumbled. Even though Marcus had only said trainer, in Jon’s mind, that was close enough to a doctor. Even a little confused, Jon knew he needed to stay away from doctors. “I gotta go,” he said, trying to sit up.

 

“No, no, no man,” Marcus said, placing a hand over Jon’s chest to keep him from moving. “You gotta stay put. You might have a concussion or something.”

 

“I’m fine,” Jon insisted. Things were becoming clearer and he knew he needed to move before some doctor got involved.

 

“Well, let the trainer be the judge of that,” Marcus said, anxiously trying to keep his friend still.

 

“I said, I’m–”

 

“Alright, what do we have here,” asked the trainer, jogging up to the scene. Running alongside him was Devin James, one of the varsity players who Jon had always gotten along with.

 

“He was knocked out by one of the other coaches, a guy much bigger than him.”

 

“How long was he unconscious?” The trainer’s pattern of speech was short and clipped as he knelt down next to Jon.

 

“Only about ten or fifteen seconds, but he was on the track when he fell, which is a pretty hard landing.”

 

“Can you tell me your name?”

 

“Jon Kent.”

 

“Where are we right now?”

 

“Richardson High School. On the football field.”

 

Jon answered a couple more basic memory questions. He only had a little trouble remembering the date, but did okay with the others.

 

He also told the trainer that he wasn’t experiencing any dizziness or nausea, which was true. After he regained consciousness and became more aware of his surroundings, Jon felt relatively okay, which no one seemed to believe.

 

“You wanna try sitting up?”

 

“Yes.” Even though Jon knew he could do it himself, both the trainer, who had said his name was Luke, and Marcus, each grabbed one of his shoulders and slowly helped him up.

 

“How do you feel now? Any dizziness? Nausea?”

 

“Nope. Nothing. I wanna go home.”

 

“Woah, woah, hold up there, Coach. You may be feeling better but we don’t want to take any chances. Let’s sit here for a couple of minutes and then go back to the training room where I can do some more tests.”

 

“No really, I’m fine–”

 

“You were unconscious and you might have a concussion, okay? This is serious. Plus, it happened on school property, which means there are certain protocols that need to be followed.”

 

Realizing he didn’t have a choice, Jon nodded. Even though the idea of some random guy doing tests on him was nerve wracking, Jon forced himself to remain calm. The trainer wasn’t going to run scans or draw blood or anything, he would probably just do a couple of memory or balance tests to see if Jon had a concussion.

 

Regardless of what he found, Jon knew the trainer would still suggest he go to his personal physician for a more in depth evaluation. And when that discussion came, Jon would play the dutiful patient even though he had no intention of going to see a doctor.

 

Not that he would tell anybody that.

 

Being half Kryptonian made Jon very nervous around doctors. He knew for a fact that his cellular makeup was different enough that any physician would be alarmed and probably demand more tests. And there was no way that Jon was going to end up being a science experiment in a government lab.

 

He wasn’t bullet proof though, so several years back Lois and Clark had found someone that they could trust with their unique sons. Having to put that kind of trust in a doctor had been very worrisome for the whole family. But the physician quickly proved that he was trustworthy and had treated both Jon and Jordan several times over the years after they had been in situations that couldn’t quite be explained to a regular doctor.

 

Jon trusted the guy with his life (especially considering he had saved it a few times) and he had become a family friend. Both Jon and Jordan knew he would always take care of them. That wasn’t the problem. More than anything, Jon just hated doctors.

 

The idea of being weak and needing help, especially compared to the way Jordan had grown in the past several years, had been tough for Jon. Plus, because he was physically much weaker, his family had a tendency to hover over him constantly when he was hurt, which could be a lot to handle.

 

The trainer addressed Marcus. “If you could sit with him for a few minutes, I’m going to call Mr. Sawyer and inform him of the situation. Then we’ll see if we can get over to my office.” After giving the simple instructions, Luke stepped away to make a call to the principal.

 

Feeling a little better, Jon addressed Devin James, the player who had run to get help. “Thanks Devin. You can head home.”

 

The junior running back was apprehensive. “Are you sure, Coach? I can stay a little while longer.”

 

“That’s okay, Devin. You’ve done more than enough. I’ll see you at practice tomorrow.”

 

Devin clearly wasn’t pleased about leaving his weakened coach, but still did as he instructed, leaving Jon alone with Marcus. A thought crossed Jon’s mind. 

 

“Hey, weren’t you mad at me? You know, about Charlotte?”

 

“Oh…that. Listen man, we don’t have to talk about it right now.”

 

“Actually, I want to straighten this out. Marcus, I do have feelings for your sister. I haven’t asked her to be my girlfriend yet because we’ve only been on one official date.” Jon paused and made direct eye contact with his friend. “But I like her a lot. And I’m sorry you found out this way, I should have told you sooner and it wasn’t cool.”

 

“Naw, I’m sorry man. I overreacted and didn’t give you a chance to explain.”

 

“Call it even?”

 

“Okay sure,” Marcus said, allowing himself to smile for the first time that Jon had been knocked out.

 

When he had first confronted Jon, he had been pissed and had gone into full protective older brother mode. But after Jon had gotten punched it was like all Marcus’ anger faded away because he had to be there for his friend in a crazy situation.

 

And how selfless was it of Jon to remember Marcus’ feelings after he had been hurt? Clearly Charlotte had picked a great guy.

 

“Alright, how are you feeling, Jon,” the trainer asked, hanging up the phone and walking back over to the two men.

 

“Pretty good actually. I’d like to try standing up.” Jon was pleased that he could see much clearer and his words were no longer slurring as he said them.

 

“Okay, let’s go slow.” Marcus grabbed his hands and Luke held onto his shoulders and back, working together to get Jon to a standing position. Slowly, with the two men on either side of him, Jon made it to the trainer’s room.

 

~~~~~

 

The trainer, Luke, gave Jon an ice pack to hold on his face where he had been punched, and as promised, did a few more memory tests to check for a concussion.

 

Surprisingly, Jon passed them all and was appearing to be just fine. 

 

The principal, Kyle Sawyer, came rushing in at one point, to check in on Jon and to get his statement about what happened. As Marcus was there too, he also filled in the blanks that Jon couldn’t.

 

Jon didn’t want to press charges because he was fine and thought it would make the whole thing worse. The others in the room understood that, but it was also kind of a big deal. So Mr. Sawyer insisted that Steve would have to be suspended from coaching while they did a bit more investigating to determine if it would most likely be an isolated incident or if the man had violent tendencies.

 

After Jon and Marcus explained what happened and Jon passed all the memory tests, there really was no reason for him to stay, but the trainer was struggling to let him leave anyway.

 

“Are you sure there’s no headache, or dizziness or anything like that?”

 

Jon was sitting on the trainer’s table with Marcus and the principal hovering nearby. “Nope. Nothing. Really I’m fine.”

 

“How’s your face where you got hit,” Luke asked, moving the ice pack to get a better look.

 

“A little tender, but really not bad.”

 

“Yeah, you’re right about that, I would have expected there to be a bigger bruise.”

 

Jon shifted uncomfortably on the table. He had never had powers per se, but there were a few Kryptonian quirks that he had noticed over the years. One of which was that he was a quick healer and didn’t seem to get injured as frequently. His family was used to it, but he knew Marcus and the others had to be a bit confused.

 

“Just lucky I guess,” Jon said, trying to play the whole thing off as no big deal. “Anyway. I really think I want to go home now.”

 

Jon slid off the table and tried not to be annoyed how closely the others in the room were watching him.

 

“Hey, man, why don’t I drive you home,” Marcus spoke up suddenly. “I know you’re fine and all that, but I think I’d feel a lot better if you weren’t driving today.” Both the trainer and principal nodded in agreement.

 

Everything in Jon wanted to protest and insist that he really was fine, but he could also see how determined they all were. He had a better chance of getting home quickly and away from the prying eyes if he just agreed.

 

For being pissed at him an hour ago, Marcus had done a total 180 and was proving to be a good friend. He even sat there patiently, driving the car as Jon called Charlotte to explain what happened. She had been worried, naturally, but since she hadn’t been there, Jon could kind of alter what had happened a bit so it didn’t seem so bad.

 

The truth was, despite the severity of the incident, Jon really was fine; he expected he had his Kryptonian genes to thank for that one. So now, what he wanted more than anything was to move on, and forget the whole thing ever happened.

 

But it turned out Marcus was much more of a keen observer than Jon had originally noticed. “If you like my sister so much why did you lie to her,” he asked, after Jon had hung up the phone.

 

“I didn’t lie,” Jon protested.

 

“Dude, you basically lied.”

 

“I just didn’t want her to worry, okay. I’ll be fine and it wasn’t a big deal.”

 

“Well, actually you got knocked unconscious and it was a big deal,” Marcus said, not willing to back down.

 

Luckily, Jon had plenty of experience dealing with stubborn people trying to protect him. “Okay, so maybe it was kind of a big deal,” Jon conceded. “But I really will be fine. I’ve been an athlete my whole life, I know what I can handle.”

 

“You promise you’ll tell somebody if things start to feel off?”

 

“Absolutely,” answered Jon, pleased he had finally managed to reassure his friend.

 

Marcus pulled up in front of Jon’s apartment building and put the car in park. “Do you want me to come in, hang out for a bit?”

 

“Naw, man, that’s okay.” Jon waved his hand brushing off the invitation. “I have some lesson planning I want to catch up on, you go out and have fun with the guys.”

 

“Okay, just don’t overdo it.”

 

“I won’t,” Jon promised, pushing open the car door.

 

“I’ll pick you up around 7:30 tomorrow, since you don’t have your truck.”

 

“Sounds good, thanks man.” Jon stepped out of the car. “Oh, and thanks for being so cool about Charlotte. I know I should have told you earlier, but I just…”

 

“Relax, Jon, I’m really not mad, mostly surprised. Just treat her right.”

 

“Of course. See you tomorrow.”

 

Jon had barely gotten in his apartment when he got a call from Jordan. “Yeah?”

 

“Are you home?”

 

“Yep, just walked in," Jon answered.

 

“Are you alone?”

 

“Uh, yeah. My friends are busy and Charlotte is working late.”

 

“Oh good.” The phone immediately disconnected and before Jon could really wonder what was going on, he heard Jordan zip inside. Jon was facing the kitchen so he couldn’t see his brother, but he knew who it was anyway.

 

“Seriously?”

 

“What? I made sure you didn’t have company.” Jon turned to see his brother’s classic ‘know it all’ smirk. “Besides, I thought we could grab a pizza and…”

 

“And what?”

 

“Jonathan. Why is there a bruise on your face?” Jordan’s voice was deadly calm as if he was trying to restrain himself. As annoying as everyone had been in the trainer's room, there was no one on the entire planet that worried more or was more protective over Jon than his twin brother. 

 

“Oh, shit.”

Chapter 14: Jordan's Reaction

Summary:

Jordan noticed the bruise on Jon's face and demands answers

Chapter Text

“Jonathan. I asked you a question. Why is there a bruise on your face?”

 

Jordan was one of the most fiery, passionate people in Jon’s life, and that particular side of his brother had come out many times over the years. But now, the calm, perfectly enunciated way that Jordan was speaking was almost eerie. Jon could tell his brother was working very hard to keep it together. But there was this look in Jordan’s eyes, one that said he could become unhinged at any moment.

 

Jon took a deep breath. He needed to handle this situation very carefully. “Okay, look, first of all, it wasn’t a big deal. I’m fine.”

 

Apparently that was the wrong thing to say.

 

Jordan instantly used his superspeed to close the gap between the two brothers. Then he gingerly took Jon’s face, turning it from side to side to get a better look at the bruise. For a couple of seconds he was purely full of concern and focused on making sure Jon was alright. But the more he looked at the bruise, trying to figure out what happened, Jordan could feel his concern turning into anger.

 

Someone had hurt his brother.

 

“How did this happen?”

 

Jon gently pushed his twin’s hand away. “It doesn’t matter.”

 

“Yeah right. Have you met me?”

 

Jordan had a point. He had become fiercely overprotective of his brother over the past few years, especially when something bad happened.

 

“Look it’s really no big deal, things just got a little out of hand at practice today,” Jon said, trying to brush off the incident.

 

“Some snot nosed kid did this?” Jordan’s eyes flashed red.

 

“No! Just relax, okay, it was one of the coaches.”

 

“One of the coaches?” Now Jordan’s eyes were burning red. Crap. “Who was it? Where is he? I’m gonna knock his lights out.”

 

“He kinda already did that,” Jon muttered under his breath. But he should have known better.

 

“Excuse me,” Jordan asked, his voice deadly calm again.

 

“Oh shit.” He had messed up again. Jon had decided earlier that he wasn’t going to tell Jordan about being knocked unconscious because he knew his twin would completely freak out.

 

And clearly, the freak out he was trying to avoid was about to happen.

 

“You got knocked out and didn’t tell me? What the hell Jon? You could have called me, I would have been there in a second. What were you thinking, trying to handle this by yourself?” Jordan threw his hands up and began pacing back and forth.

 

“Well I just–”

 

“You were knocked unconscious. That’s a big freaking deal. I just can’t believe this, I mean are you even okay? Do we need to go see Dr–”

 

“No! I told you, I’m fine. The trainer at the school did some tests and basically triple checked that everything was fine before he let me leave. I don’t even have a concussion.”

 

“Some random guy did tests on you and I wasn’t there?”

 

Oh crap. Not again.

 

“Look, it all happened really fast, okay–”

 

“But you were alone while some–”

 

“No, Jordan. I wasn’t alone. My buddy Marcus was there the whole time. And he did a really good job watching over me, okay? He didn’t let me sit up too fast, he helped me stand, get to the trainer’s, and he never left the room. Plus, he was so concerned that he even drove me home.”

 

Finally, Jon’s words seemed to be providing some reassurance. Jordan had stopped pacing and his heat vision was under control so his eyes were no longer burning red.

 

“The principal was there too and the trainer definitely knew what he was doing. They took really good care of me,” Jon explained.

 

“But that’s my job,” Jordan quietly insisted.

 

At that moment, Jon’s defenses came down. As crazy protective as Jordan could be, it was only because he cared so much and he felt guilty when he couldn’t be there for Jon.

 

Jordan took a couple of deep breaths and sat down at the small kitchen table. “Could you maybe just tell me the whole story? I’d really like to know what happened.

 

Jon could see that his brother had calmed down. The worry was still written across his face, of course, but there was a big part of Jordan that was almost desperate to know all the details; as if he couldn’t move on until he heard the truth.

 

Because he knew his brother well, Jon understood his twin’s need to hear the full story.

 

So, Jon sat down at the table next to his brother and explained exactly what had happened after practice and the blanks Marcus had filled in. 

 

Jordan clenched his fists a few times when Jon got to certain points of the story. It was obviously hard to hear, but Jordan was also right, he deserved to know what happened.

 

When Jon finally finished the story, he glanced back over, anxious to see his brother’s response.

 

Instead of words, Jordan just looked at his brother, devastated by the way Jon had been treated. He gently reached over and took Jon’s face, examining the bruise once again.

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” The fight had left Jordan’s face and now he just looked sad. No longer was he speaking out of anger or passion, it just hurt to comprehend what had really happened.

 

“Yes, I’m really okay,” Jon said, making sure to be respectful with his answer. “Honestly, the situation still sucked, but I think I have my Kryptonian genes to thank for why I don’t feel worse right now.”

 

“Yeah, it seems like it,” Jordan agreed. “What do you think is going to happen with the coach?”

 

Jon shrugged. “I don’t know. But he was really pissed that I took a starting position away from his son.”

 

“Did you end up talking to the principal to get his advice on switching out the players?”

 

“Yeah, I did, before practice. And once I explained the situation he was totally on my side. He completely understood that I was trying to do what’s best for the team. It will just be interesting what happens going forward.”

 

Now that Jordan had calmed down, they had gotten to the point of the discussion where they could analyze the situation instead of just reacting emotionally.

 

“Have you thought about what your next step is,” Jordan asked, looking thoughtfully at his brother.

 

“I think I want to call a meeting with the other coaches, explaining my decision and how much thought I put into it. I also think I need to make it clear that I’m not taking away the starting positions forever, just this weekend because I don’t think those three players have earned them. But if they put in the work, it’s an entirely different discussion.”

 

“Yeah I think that’s smart.” Jordan nodded in agreement. “Maybe remind the kids at practice tomorrow that your decisions were based on what you’ve seen on the field, and that’s the way it will continue to be going forward, so they know where you stand.”

 

“That’s a good idea.” Jon let out a deep sigh.

 

“What,” Jordan asked, instantly noticing his brother’s mood shift.

 

“It’s just…I knew there was going to be a big reaction about what I did, you know, but I don’t think I ever expected something to happen immediately after practice. And from another coach…it just kind of blindsided me. Literally I guess.”

 

“So, what, you’re second guessing yourself now,” Jordan asked, kind of shifting into protective brother mode again.

 

“I’m trying really hard not to, but I guess I’m kind of worried this is just the beginning, you know,” admitted Jon.

 

“It definitely could be, but I also think you’re strong enough to handle anything that comes your way,” Jordan said, trying to build up his brother.

 

“I appreciate that, man. Time will tell, I guess.”

 

“Yeah that’s true. Have you thought about how you’re going to tell Mom and Dad?”

 

Jon dropped his head in his hands. “Nope. Honestly I wasn’t even thinking about that.”

 

“They’re going to want to know, and the sooner you tell them the better.”

 

“Yeah, but no matter what I tell them they’re still going to freak out.” Jon lifted his head, and looked over at his brother.

 

“Maybe,” Jordan agreed. “But they still deserve to know, especially after everything you told them about football yesterday and how big of a deal it was that you were changing the lineup. For crying out loud, they are both reporters. If you become cagey and don’t want to talk about it, they are going to know something’s up.”

 

“Have I ever told you how much I hate when you are right?”

 

“Frequently.”

 

Jon chuckled a bit at his brother’s snippy remark. Jordan could get a little protective and over the top sometimes, but he never failed to make his twin laugh. It was like the brothers always knew what the other needed, whether it was obvious or not.

 

“Alright, fine,” Jon conceded, pulling out his phone. “But when this goes south, I expect you to back me up when I’m trying to convince them that I’m fine.”

 

“Deal. But what if they ask my opinion on whether you should go see Doc or not?”

 

“Well, what is your opinion?”

 

“That you should go see him,” Jordan answered, without missing a beat.

 

“Interesting,” Jon said, enjoying the friendly banter with his brother. “Because I have the opposite opinion.”

 

Jordan rolled his eyes. “You never want to go see him. Even that time that you dislocated your shoulder and had glass in your arm after that crazy accident with the drones. You still claimed you were fine.”

 

“And I was,” Jon insisted. “I had the whole situation entirely under control.”

 

Jordan nodded thoughtfully. “Right, right, and if I remember correctly you passed out at that time as well.”

 

That comment shut Jon up real quick.

 

“Okay…so maybe that time I wasn’t as fine as I am this time.”

 

“Yeah, yeah whatever you say. The point is, if they ask me for my opinion, I’m going to tell the truth.”

 

“I see. Well, if that’s how you feel, let me show you something.” Jon tapped his phone a couple of times until he brought up his Amazon account. He found his cart and passed the phone over to Jordan. “What do you think about that?”

 

Jordan’s face paled. “You wouldn’t…would you?”

 

The brunette twin was staring at the fact that Jon’s Amazon cart currently contained two dark maroon cardigans, presumably one for Jordan and one for Clark. They were the same cardigans that Jon had been threatening his brother with.

 

“Actually, I really would,” Jon said, probably enjoying the terror on his twin’s face just a bit too much.

 

“Dude, please, no. I already look like him way too much.”

 

“The best part is that you can get them in several different colors. There’s navy, white, black, gold and my personal favorite, Superboy Red.”

 

“Bullshit. It does not say that.”

 

Once again Jon slid his phone over to his brother. Jordan read the name on the screen. His jaw dropped in shock.

 

It really did say Superboy Red.

 

“Damn. I literally cannot believe that’s a thing.”

 

“I know, isn’t it great?” Jon asked, grinning from ear to ear.

 

“You’re never going to let me live this down are you.”

 

“Definitely not.” Jon insisted. Jordan sighed and at that moment, Jon knew he had won.

 

“Fine. If Mom and Dad ask, I’ll say that you seem okay, mostly because you’re blackmailing me and I do not want anyone else to know about it. But just so you know, I’ll be keeping an especially close eye on you and checking in more than usual and if things seem off even for a second, I will fly you to Doc’s house myself.”

 

Jon nodded in agreement. “That seems fair.” He took his phone and pulled up his mom’s number.

 

Of course he knew the Superboy cardigan would embarrass his brother, which made it great blackmailing material. But more than anything, Jon did know that he was okay and that his family would worry for nothing.

 

But a deal was a deal.

 

He tapped the name ‘Mom’ on his phone and put it on speaker. She answered, and Jon took a deep breath.

 

“Hey Mom, is Dad there too? I have something to tell you guys…”

Chapter 15: The Next Day

Summary:

After the incident the day before, Jon is back in school ready to stand by his choices and face whatever comes next.

Chapter Text

Despite the intensity of the incident the day before, Jon refused to hide or be intimidated. It wasn’t in his nature to back down and it wasn’t what anyone else in his family would do. Despite not having powers like his dad and brother, Jon prided himself on having courage in tough situations just like them.

 

So the next day, on that bright, sunny Tuesday morning, Jon walked right into the school with a confident smile on his face. He had no reason to hide and had just been doing his job. If people wanted to gossip and stare because of that, he couldn’t stop them.

 

Besides, the bruise wasn’t as defined as it had been the day before, which Jon was thankful for. But no matter how good his Kryptonian healing genes were, the bruise was definitely still there.

 

And considering the punch had happened in front of all his players, Jon knew that news had probably spread throughout the school, and quickly.

 

Jon’s prediction was right, he definitely got some strange looks when he walked into the building from both the students and other teachers.

 

 But Jon didn’t let it get to him, after all he was a pro at being the center of small town chatter; it wasn’t anything new. He had been involved in his fair share of town gossip over his years in Smallville and had developed many tricks for dealing with it; like relying on his family. 

 

Luckily, he always had plenty of unwavering support in those crazy situations. As great as they were, thinking about his family, Jon had to resist the urge to roll his eyes. They were wonderful, obviously, but so predictable. 

 

Even though Jon told an edited version of what had happened, and blatantly explained that he was completely fine, Clark had grabbed Lois and zipped over to Jon’s apartment anyway.

 

No knocking, no asking to be invited in, just zooming in through the front door.

 

Like father like son apparently.

 

Thankfully, Jon had started the phone conversation by telling his parents that he was in his apartment with just Jordan, so there was no danger of spilling the secret.

 

But still. Apparently privacy and boundaries didn’t include his immediate family.

 

To be honest…it never really had, and Jon was used to it.

 

Naturally as soon as Clark set Lois down, she rushed over and immediately began examining the bruise on Jon’s face, and asking a million questions, just like Jordan had earlier.

 

Claims that he was fine were completely ignored, as each family member needed to see for themselves that Jon really was okay.

 

No one really believed him when he insisted getting knocked out was no big deal. Instead, Lois spent the next twenty minutes fussing and hovering over him, while Clark asked no less than 15 times if Jon was really okay. Jordan stood close by, ready to jump in front of any other threats that might come his twin’s way.

 

Of course, they were in his apartment, and it was just the Kent’s, so the probability of life threatening forces intruding on them was slim to none. But when Jordan got worried, there was really no stopping him.

 

His parents were especially concerned that the incident had been related to football and still seemed convinced that the sport would somehow lead to his downfall. They never said it outright, but between the pensive looks they exchanged and certain words they used, Jon figured out their line of thinking pretty quick.

 

Luckily, despite his protective stance Jordan had been pretty supportive and made it clear that the whole incident had a lot more to do with the other coach, Steve Dillon, than with Jon.

 

Eventually, Lois and Clark backed off a little, but the concern was still obvious in their eyes. Clark flew off and got some food so the Kent’s could share a meal as a family.

 

Of course, the topic of Jon going to see the family doctor got brought up rather quickly. Jon did his best to be patient, but was very insistent that he didn’t need a checkup. He didn’t have any concerning symptoms like a headache or experiencing dizziness, which he brought up more than once to defend his side of the argument.

 

As he had explained to Jordan, it wasn’t like he had a problem with their family doctor or anything, it just wasn’t necessary in this instance. There was a little bit of pushback from his parents, naturally, but considering they could see for themselves that he was acting fairly normal, they listened to Jon and let it go.

 

After a delicious sushi meal, and checking one last time that Jon was really okay, both parents gave him a big hug and headed back to the farm. Though, predictably, they promised to check in on him often throughout the next day.

 

Jon made his way over to his science classroom and chuckled softly as he thought back to the events of the night before. It was about 7:45 in the morning and between his three immediate family members, he had already gotten fifteen text messages, checking in about how he was feeling.

 

They probably sent so many because he didn’t start responding until the eighth message. But in Jon’s defense, he had to get ready for work and unlike certain members of the Kent family, he didn’t have superspeed to make the process go faster.

 

When Marcus picked Jon up earlier that morning he also asked how Jon was doing. By that point, Jon had developed a lot of patience after dealing with his family’s persistent messages all morning.

 

The only person that didn’t really bother him was Charlotte when she called on the phone the night before. She had to work later than she expected and wanted to give Jon some time to rest. Even better, Charlotte didn’t spend too much time focusing on the incident, and instead asked about practice, and what his goals were for the week.

 

Liking a girl who was interested in sports was a really cool experience for Jon, and once again, she did not disappoint. Plus, although she was worried about what had happened, she didn’t have any reason to make a big deal about it or hover him like his family did, which was refreshing.

 

Jon always began his school day with writing notes on the white board, or setting up materials for any experiments they might be doing in class that day.

 

As he was taking out his lesson plans, his phone vibrated, signaling he had a text message.

 

“You make it to school okay?”

 

Jon sighed. As annoying as it had been to have his parents being super protective over him, nobody was worse than Jordan.

 

“Yep. Sure did. You wanna teach my classes for me?”

 

Jon found that if he kept a positive outlook and kept the tone light, it put Jordan at ease. But it also reminded Jon to relax, and not get worked up about his hovering twin brother. They had been through some crazy times, so it was only natural that Jordan be worried.

 

“Yeah right. Enjoy molding the minds of tomorrow.”

 

“Will do. You enjoy looking at corn stocks all day.”

 

Jon sent the text to Jordan and smirked. It had been a surprise to everyone when Jordan just went to a community college and returned to Smallville a few years later to help his dad on their farm.

 

Even though it wasn’t what everyone expected of him, the role actually suited Jordan well. He could have his own schedule, not have to be around a lot of people, and his “boss” was very understanding when he had to leave at random times to go make supersaves.

 

Lois and Clark still owned the farm, but they worked full time at the Smallville Gazette, leaving Jordan to run the farm.

 

Even though Jon made a lot of jokes about it, he knew Jordan was suited for a small town. The slow, easy, friendly pace helped him to balance the more crazy side of his life.

 

When the boys turned twenty-one, Jordan had announced his intentions to purchase part of the land from their parents so he could have a portion to call his own. 

 

They had come to an agreement with the bank and Jordan made his loan payments every month.

 

When Jordan announced his plan to design and build a house on his new land, no one was surprised. It wasn’t a secret that he wanted to marry his long time girlfriend sooner rather than later. Which meant they would need a place to live.

 

Jordan and Clark were really enjoying working on the project themselves. The powers helped move things along and they used the internet to look up how to do anything they had questions on. After about a year, they were making decent progress.

 

Jon had gone over to help a few times and he was really impressed with the steps Jordan was taking to establish himself.

 

But despite having a steady girlfriend, running the farm AND being Superboy, he still managed to find time to worry about his twin.

 

Typical.

 

Jon’s freshmen science class was the first one he taught every day. There was a focus on physical science in the curriculum, so he always began the day by putting problems or vocabulary words on the white board for the students. He found it was a good way to review, and get the students involved right from the beginning.

 

He was writing a couple of problems on the board where the students would be calculating force and potential energy when there was a hesitant knock at the door. Jon turned to find an apprehensive Devin Lassiter standing there. 

 

Devin Lassiter was the sophomore that Jon had picked for the starting wide receiver position for Friday’s game. He was a bit quieter than some of the other players, but very respectful and one of the hardest workers on the field.

 

“Umm, could I talk to you for a minute, Coach,” Devin said, wringing his hands a bit.

 

“Of course, Devin, come on in,” Jon said, a smile instantly filling his face. As a coach, he had the goal to be tough and firm on the field, knowing that the players needed to see him as a force of leadership and strength. But off the field, he wanted to be approachable so his players would feel comfortable coming to him, much as Devin had.

 

Having a pretty good idea about what the sophomore wanted to talk about, Jon sat on the edge of his desk. “So what’s on your mind Devin,” Jon asked.

 

“Well, um, mostly I was wondering…you know, why did you put me in as the starter for Friday’s game?”

 

“It’s simple. I need a wide receiver that I can depend on. The performance in an opening game says a lot about what can be expected on the team for that season.”

 

Noticing the concern on Devin’s face, Jon took a deep breath and continued. “I’ve been paying a lot of attention in practice, trying to figure out how to build the best team, not just focus on the oldest kids, but who is really playing the best. And based on everything I have seen this past week, it’s no contest. You are the best wide receiver on the team and should be the one starting in the game on Friday.”

 

“But I’m too young,” Devin protested. “People hate it when you’re too young in football. They're going to think I can’t handle the pressure or I’m not qualified.”

 

Jon nodded, considering what Devin had said. But having Lois Lane as a mother made situations like these very helpful. Because of her, Jon had learned how to ask the tough questions and get right to the point.

 

“So if we go by that logic, let’s look at another situation. I’m only twenty- three years old and this is my first job out of college. I’ve obviously never been a head coach before. Does that mean that I’m unqualified?”

 

The reaction was instant. “No way, Coach! I’m not saying that!” Devin insisted. “You’re definitely qualified. It shouldn’t matter what people say.”

 

Jon looked down. He had been using himself as an example as a way to prove a point to his player, but he couldn’t deny that the immediate support felt good. “Well, that’s very generous of you, thanks. But if that stereotype doesn’t apply to me, then it shouldn’t apply to you either.”

 

Devin opened his mouth to protest, but he quickly shut it, knowing that his coach had a point.

 

“I’m not saying it’s going to be easy, but the work you have been putting in shows me that you deserve to be the one in the game.”

 

“You really think I can do it,” Devin asked. For the first time, the look in his eyes turned from fear to hope.

 

“I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that you are ready for this,” Jon said, hoping his confidence would motivate the boy.

 

“Okay, thanks Coach,” Devin said, a smile finally filling his face. “I’ll give it my best.”

 

As Devin left to go to his first class, Jon was pleased with how the conversation had gone. Unfortunately, he knew it would be far from the last discussion he had about the football team that day and was a little worried that the other conversations wouldn’t go as smoothly.

Chapter 16: Laying Down the Law

Summary:

After being punched out by one of the coaches, Jon returns to school to set the record straight about what happened and how he intends to handle the situation.

Notes:

Hey all, just wanted to take a quick moment to thank you all for your support in this story. I love a lot of fun stuff coming up, some might be expected, some, not so much :)

Would love to hear what you think in the comments below, and thanks again for reading!

Chapter Text

After he had some time to get used to the idea that his dad was Superman, Jon had to admit that the whole alter ego thing was pretty cool. After all, what kid didn’t want to say they personally knew a superhero? But as he got more used to the drama surrounding Superman and how it affected their daily lives, Jon was forced to admit knowing a superhero wasn’t always as great as he would have assumed at the age of ten.

 

That said, he was still ridiculously proud of his father and brother for all the good they did in the world. Jon would never ask Clark or Jordan to give up something they were so incredibly good at. Besides, the world needed them.

 

But along with all the really cool stuff,admittedly, there were some downsides, like Jordan or Clark leaving suddenly in the middle of big events or the Kent family constantly being thrown into life threatening situations.

 

Jon had learned how to manage all the craziness over the years and not a lot phased him anymore. One of the first things he had learned: how to talk your way out of awkward or suspicious situations.

 

It was a skill that had come in handy many times over the years and it had helped him many times that Tuesday at school. It seemed like everyone wanted to talk about what happened, get his side, and find out how he was going to retaliate.

 

Nobody seemed to be fond of the answer that Jon planned to let the administration handle the situation while he just focused on coaching. It was like everyone wanted there to be soap opera level drama or some big brawl between Jon and Steve Dillin.

 

But Jon had no plans to give anyone at the school what they thought they wanted. He had a job to do and intended to do it. That was his only goal.

 

Jon realized one of the best ways to quiet the gossip was to call a meeting with the other coaches and set the record straight. 

 

Since he had the last period off, it was the perfect time to meet with them before practice and get the situation taken care of once and for all. Luckily, the other coaches were all able to leave their jobs early to come in for the meeting. Secretly, Jon thought they had agreed to attend out of curiosity about Jon’s response to the incident, rather than loyalty to him.

 

But their reasons didn’t matter to Jonathan. What was important was that they actually listened to what he had to say so they could all move on and focus on the season ahead.

 

Unfortunately, Jon figured the chances of that actually happening were about fifty percent.

 

He was waiting in the locker room, clipboard in hand, ready for whatever came next.

 

Slowly, the coaches filed in, one by one, except Steve Dillon of course, since he had been suspended. There was a mix of curiosity and hesitancy on the faces of the other men in the room, as if they were wondering if Jon would really pull this off.

 

Eventually, the small group of coaches had gathered, and looked expectantly at Jon. He put on his best Superman expression (since it always helped him to be confident when he was nervous) and began talking.

 

“You all know why you’re here, so let’s just cut to the chase. I made a coaching decision about three of our players and one of the members of our staff did not agree with that choice and took matters into his own hands.”

 

Jon made sure to look each coach directly in the eyes so they would know that he meant business.

 

“I have no intention of trying to get back at Steve, or punish Carson Dillon for his dad’s actions. That would be childish and downright ridiculous. The administration will handle Steve and I will do my job, being head coach for this team.”

 

Even though Jon had to be twenty years younger than the men he was talking to, they still shifted uncomfortably under his sharp gaze. For the first time, some of the other men were realizing that Jon just wasn’t some kid who got a lucky break, he was taking his job seriously. But more than that, he was smart, and wasn’t going to react rashly to the situation as they originally expected. 

 

Of course, they also didn’t know that Jon’s dad was Superman and had spent years instilling the values of patience and responsibility in his son.

 

“Now ignoring your own opinions for just a second, ignoring their last names or the fact that they are seniors, can any of you honestly tell me that you believe Carson, Jay, and Ryan deserve to be starting this Friday? Have they really been putting in the work?”

 

Most of the coaches looked down or avoided eye contact with Jon. He was right, of course, but no one just randomly took away the starting positions of three seniors, regardless of what they deserved. It was one of the unwritten rules of small town football: if a guy was a senior, he got a starting spot. That’s just the way it worked.

 

But now this young kid was coming in and changing all of the standard rules of Richardson High Football.

 

“Seriously, can anyone defend their actions in practice this past week? Are they acting like starters?”

 

“They’re seniors,” one of the coaches finally said.

 

“Why does that matter,” Jon asked, getting fired up. “Why does that give them the right to be treated differently than the other players?”

 

“It’s just the way it is,” the same coach replied.

 

“Well that’s a stupid rule. Your successes in life should be about what you do to earn them, not how you’re born, or who you are.”

 

Jon had to remind himself to pull back his accusations just a little. It was important for him not to confuse his own issues of measuring successes and failures with the teens he was coaching.

 

Things had changed for him at the age of fourteen when Jordan first got powers, and they changed again after he had taken the X-K. Actually, the drug had altered his whole life, and not for the better. Jon had spent years afterwards trying to prove his worth to his family and to himself.

 

He had learned a lot from that time in his life and many of the lessons he still carried with him. One thing that had become abundantly clear: cheating and taking the easy way out was no way to go through life.

 

And Jon had no desire to let history repeat itself.

 

“I don’t intend for the starting positions to be permanently taken away,” Jon said, taking a deep breath. “The only reason I removed them is because they weren’t putting in the effort that I feel is needed to prepare for an opening game. If Carson, Ryan and Jay step up and actually act like seniors, then that’s a different discussion.”

 

“But isn’t switching the starters in and out between games kind of a bad idea,” the same coach asked. His name was Bob Ames and he was good buddies with Steve Dillon, the coach who got suspended. “Don’t we want to build up a group of players that are used to working together. Wouldn’t that be in the better interest of the team?” The other coaches nodded and gave affirmations, since Bob made a good point. “And I thought you said you wanted to act in the best interest of the team,” Bob continued, giving Jon a little smirk, believing he had outsmarted the new coach.

 

Ahh, there it was, a challenger. Jon wondered how long that would take.

 

Not that Jon wanted one of the coaches to heckle him during the meeting, but it gave him a chance to have some fun.

 

Because when you’ve been watching Lois Lane all your life, you learn some tricks.

 

“I see. So what you’re saying is that we should work with the same group of kids over and over again so they know each other really well on the field. Is that right?”

 

“Yes, exactly.”

 

Jon gave Bob a smile.

 

Poor, stupid Bob. He really had no idea what he had just walked into. Jon almost felt sorry for him.

 

Almost.

 

“In what universe is it a good idea to have the players only work with the same guys over and over again. What happens if someone gets sick or injured and they aren’t used to working with the second string players, what then?”

 

“Well–”

 

“They would probably lose the game because of poor communication. What about if they have to execute a play they haven’t practiced very much? How would that go?”

 

“I think–”

 

“It wouldn’t go well. As much as football is about repetition, it’s also about taking advantage of different situations and adjusting on the fly because anything can happen in a game. Anything. So yes, we run drills, and we practice, but we also try different things. That’s the smart thing to do.”

 

“But–”

 

“Do I sound like I’m done? Here’s the thing. I’m not trying to rock the boat and I’m not trying to cause trouble. I’m just trying to win games and do right by those kids because they deserve it. And having players that are not performing well be the starters is not fair for anyone. So we are going to go onto that field and present a unified front. We have a game to prepare for.”

 

Jon hadn’t meant to yell, and he hadn’t meant to act like he knew more than the other coaches. But they needed to understand the kind of coach that he was going to be. And as a football coach, Jonathan Kent was going to be firm but fair, strict but passionate, and dedicated beyond all measure. But more than anything, Jon wanted to give his players a reason to hope, because as he had learned from his dad, everyone deserves to see a symbol of hope.

Chapter 17: Second Chances

Summary:

After the meeting with the coaches Jon faces practice and a couple of visitors who have different opinions about his choices for starting varsity.

Chapter Text

All in all, practice wasn’t as bad as it could have been. Even though the other coaches kept glaring at him, they still listened and followed Jon’s lead in practice, which he was grateful for.

 

They also gave him a few funny looks when they thought he wasn’t looking. It was as if the other coaches finally realized that Jon meant business and that he wouldn’t be pushed around by anyone. By standing up to Bob Ames and making his intentions as a coach quite clear, Jon had made a definite statement. The other coaches probably didn’t know what to think of his actions, and were still trying to process.

 

And how they reacted going forward…time would tell.

 

Carson, Jay and Ryan were a little more disrespectful than usual, which Jon figured had to be expected. It was especially annoying when Carson kept complaining that he wished his dad was there, which was obviously a direct dig at Jon. Carson’s dad, Steve, had been suspended after punching Jon at practice. And it was clear that Carson was not happy with his dad’s punishment and seemed intent to take out his anger on Jon and the younger players. Of course, none of the kids had done anything and it wasn’t Jon’s choice to suspend Steve.

 

But Carson obviously had very strong feelings about the whole thing and there wasn’t much Jon could do about it.

 

Jon knew the seniors that had their starting positions taken away would be a little surly, which they definitely were, and had prepared himself for that. But the one thing he didn’t expect: all the extra people in the stands.

 

It was pretty commonplace for some of the dads to stand in the bleachers and watch practices. Usually they did a good job of staying in the stands and letting the coaches do their jobs. But on that Tuesday afternoon practice, the number of dad’s and spectators had almost tripled. That meant that word about the incident the day before hadn’t just spread throughout the school, but also through the rest of the town as well.

 

If Jon had to guess, most of the people were there to see if anything else interesting or dramatic would happen. But regardless of the incident that had happened the day before, Jon had also removed three seniors from their starting positions from the opening game. That decision alone was sure to bring in some more spectators than usual. People were probably beginning to wonder who exactly this new coach was and why he was making such drastic changes.

 

During the practice, Jon tried his best to ignore all the invested bystanders and focus on making sure the practice ran smoothly. But occasionally, if Jon had a second to spare, he would glance back towards the stands to see what the reaction from the crowd was about the various drills and plays he was having the boys run.

 

Most of the time, it was hard to tell, but the response definitely didn’t seem overly positive. If anything, there seemed to be a lot of glaring and whispering. Jon tried not to let it get to him. He had made a plan based off of hard facts and the effort he had seen on the practice field in the past week.

 

Maybe some of the other parents or people around town didn’t understand that yet, but Jon knew it was only a matter of time. Sure, he was still the new guy, but Jonathan Kent had spent years being the guy that had to prove everyone wrong.

 

They made it through the rest of practice without too much drama, luckily, and the boys headed back to the locker rooms to shower. As the guys started heading off the field, Marcus came over to see Jon, as was becoming a habit.

 

“Hey, man, how’s it going?”

 

“Good,” Jon answered, taking off his whistle and slipping it into his pocket.

 

“How are you feeling?” Jon looked up to see concern written all over his friend’s face.

 

“I’m fine. You asked me that like four times already today,” Jon reminded his friend.

 

“Well, yeah, I know, but I’m just checking in,” Marcus said, defending his actions.

 

“Relax man, I’m kidding. I know you were worried but I’m fine and–”

 

“Hey!” Jon looked up to see three angry football players storming towards him. It was Jay, Ryan, and Carson. Jon wasn’t particularly surprised by the encounter, but still had been hoping to avoid it. “Hey Coach ,” Carson said with a sneer. “We want to talk to you.”

 

“Yes, gentlemen, can I help you?” Jon asked, maintaining an air of authority and control.

 

“We want our starting positions back,” Carson said without hesitation.

 

“I’m sorry, but the starting lineup has been decided for this weekend.”

 

“We don’t care what decisions you have made, we want our positions back,” Carson insisted.

 

“I made the changes based on performances on the field. And the lackluster job the three of you were doing is not how I want to represent my starting varsity.”

 

Carson’s face quickened at Jon’s dismissive and insulting analysis. “You piece of–”

 

“Okay, I think that’s enough,” Marcus said, stepping in. He placed his hands up to keep Carson or his lackeys from getting any closer. “Guys head to the shower. Your coach has spoken and there’s no changing anything now.”

 

Carson, Jay and Ryan were obviously disgruntled, but stepped away anyway. Before they could get too far out of earshot, Carson made one more threat, “You’ll be sorry,” before heading back to the locker room.

 

“Thanks for the assist, Marcus. Those guys were not in the mood to listen.”

 

“Yeah, I can tell. You had your reasons though, and they made a lot of sense.”

 

“Thanks, I wish everyone felt that way,” Jon said, glancing toward the stands, where many of the guys still had their arms crossed.

 

“Hey, listen, I talked to the trainer a little while ago and he was willing to–”

 

“Coach! Can I talk to you for a minute,” this time, the voice of the person interrupting was excited and enthusiastic instead of angry. Jon looked up to see Devon rushing toward him with a tired looking man in a factory uniform trailing behind him.

 

“Sure, Devon, what’s up?”

 

“This is my Dad, Roy Lassiter. He wanted to talk with you.”

 

“Of course. I’m Coach Kent. It’s a pleasure to meet you, sir.” The men exchanged a quick handshake.

 

“Devon said that you’re putting him in as a starter on Friday. Is that true?” Roy Lassiter was gruff, had a firm handshake, and motor oil was smeared across the side of his face. But the minute he brought up Devon, the concern was immediately obvious.

 

“Yes sir, that is completely true,” Jon answered.

 

“But why? He’s only in the tenth grade.”

 

“That is also true,” Jon agreed, nodding his head. “But I believe that the starting players should be the best, not necessarily the oldest.”

 

“Well, yeah, but most coaches don’t think that way.”

 

“I’m not most coaches.”

 

Roy Lassiter nodded slowly, as if he wasn’t sure what to think about the new coach’s attitude. “Okay, but this isn’t, like some sort of joke or anything is it?”

 

Jon furrowed his brows. “No of course not, Devon is a great player.”

 

“Are you gonna take him out two minutes into the game?”

 

“No sir, that’s really not my intention. Devon got the starting position because he’s a dependable wide receiver and I need players I can trust.”

 

“See Dad, I told you the coach was a good guy, now can you stop the third degree,” Devon asked, clearly getting embarrassed by his dad.

 

“I’m just having a little trouble understanding what kind of a coach removes three varsity players and gives their positions to underclassmen with limited experience.”

 

“Well, Mr. Lassiter, I can tell you that I don’t just make my decisions based on who is playing the best, but also is working well as a team and not playing selfishly. And I can honestly tell you that Devon has done all of those things in practice and more.”

 

Roy Lassiter gave Jon a strange look, as if he was trying to figure if Jon really meant what he said. Roy looked towards Marcus and Devon. “Give me a couple minutes with the coach.”

 

“But Dad–”

 

“Now, Devon.”

 

Marcus looked over at Jon, who gave a short nod. It was nice of Marcus to be concerned, but unlike his other parental confrontation, Jon didn’t get a sense of violence with Mr. Lassiter.

 

“Will you be honest with me and just cut the BS,” Roy said, the moment he was alone with Jon.

 

“Of course sir,” Jon said, a bit confused about what the man was getting at.

 

“You aren’t pulling some cruel joke on my son, are you? Because my family has been the joke of this town for a long time. And I am not going to let my son be humiliated in front of all those people on Friday night, I just won’t.”

 

“Mr. Lassiter, that’s not what this is, I can assure you. I genuinely believe in Devon’s abilities. If I didn’t I wouldn’t have given him a starting position.”

 

Roy shook his head in disbelief. “And you really think it’s a good idea to be taking such big chances for your first game.”

 

“Everyone deserves a chance,” Jon said quietly. “The three seniors had three years full of chances. And now…I want to try something different.”

 

“Sorry for the million questions. It’s just…no one’s ever really taken a chance on anyone in my family before. It’s kind of hard for me to believe that somebody is really taking that kind of risk with my boy.”

 

“Mr. Lassiter, I promise you, nobody understands the value of a second chance more than me. And I believe in your son.”

 

Jon completely understood the man’s hesitancy. He spent years thinking he had screwed up his life and that he would never get another chance to prove himself, which is why he was taking this head coaching opportunity so seriously.

Chapter 18: Interruptions

Summary:

After a fairly successful practice, Jon keeps getting interrupted by one thing or another, until finally, he gets some news that rocks his world.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After finishing his conversation with Mr. Lassiter, Jon walked back over to Marcus.

 

“How did it go,” his friend asked.

 

“Actually, not bad,” Jon replied. “He mostly just wanted to make sure I was serious about having Devin be a starter in the opening game; which I totally am.”

 

“Yeah, it’s a good call. He did great in practice today,” Marcus agreed. “Also, I wanted to tell you before, but we got interrupted. I talked to the trainer and he was willing to do a couple of concussion tests to check–”

 

“Dude, I’m gonna stop you right there.” Jon held up a hand. “I don’t need to see the trainer.”

 

“I know you probably think that, but it couldn’t hurt.”

 

Jon took a deep breath and tried to remind himself to be calm. Marcus was just trying to be a good friend and he didn’t know Jon’s personal reasons for staying away from physicians; that if anyone got too close, they might start asking questions about his half- alien DNA.

 

“I’m fine, I told you. Before you start coaching you have to take several courses, one of them is a concussion safety class. I’m not showing any of the symptoms, I swear.”

 

Marcus didn’t look convinced, but he could see that Jon was going to be stubborn. “Alright, if you say so.”

 

“I do. Anyways, there’s–”

 

“Hey guys!”

 

You would think after all the interruptions, Jon would have gotten angry. But this last visitor, was without a doubt, the best. Still dressed up in her formal work attire, with her blonde hair swinging down her back, Charlotte was walking across the track, headed toward Jon and Marcus. The moment she caught sight of Jon, an enormous smile filled her face.

 

She practically jumped into his arms and kissed him full on the lips. “I missed you,” she whispered, her forehead leaning against his.

 

“I missed you too.” He leaned in to kiss her again when they both heard an annoyed, “ahem.”

 

“Oh, sorry dude, my bad,” Jon said, hastily stepping away from Charlotte. “I forgot that you were…I mean.”

 

“Relax man,” Marcus said with an embarrassed chuckle. “You told me that you were…involved with my sister, I guess it was only a matter of time before I saw it for myself.”

 

“You told him,” Charlotte asked, glancing over at Jon. “I thought we were keeping this just between us for a little while.”

 

“Yeah, that was my plan, but one of Marcus’ friends caught us making out in the restaurant the other day and told him,” Jon answered sheepishly. He also chose not to mention that his entire immediate family knew about her as well.

 

“Oh, that.”

 

“Yeah, that,” Marcus said, looking back and forth between the embarrassed couple. “Maybe it’s time to go over some ground rules. No making out in public, no making out in front of me, and no making out on school property because that’s where I work. And if we’re going by those rules, you just violated all three, which means you need to take a step back from each other,” Marcus said, separating the couple even further.

 

“Okay, well in my defense, the minute I saw Jon, I forgot you were there,” Charlotte said, giving Jon a side glance that said how she really felt about him.

 

“Well sure, that makes it okay,” Marcus said sarcastically.

 

Before Jon could weigh in, his phone began buzzing in his pocket. He picked it up and glanced at that screen: Mom.

 

She didn’t usually call him at this time of the day, but in the Kent family, sometimes unusual things happened.

 

“Hey guys, give me just a second, I gotta take this,” Jon said to Marcus and Charlotte before walking towards the now empty bleachers so he could talk to his mom in private.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hi sweetie, how are you feeling today?”

 

For what felt like the millionth time that day, Jon had to resist the urge to roll his eyes. “I’m fine, Mom. How are you?”

 

“I’m great, mostly worried about you,” she replied without missing a beat.

 

“Well, there’s nothing to worry about.”

 

“How was practice today,” Lois asked, clearly not done with her questions.

 

“It was fine. Steve, the guy who punched me, was suspended so he wasn’t here. But overall, it wasn’t too bad.”

 

Lois let out a sigh of relief. “Well that’s good. I wasn’t sure what to expect.”

 

“To be honest, I wasn’t sure either. But it seems like things will be okay.”

 

“Tell me more. What kind of drills do you have them run?”

 

This time, Jon did roll his eyes, the Lanes sure loved their football. And Lois in particular always enjoyed using the sport as an excuse to talk with her son.

 

~~~~~

 

The minute Jon walked away to answer his phone call, Charlotte turned to her brother. “Look, I’m sorry you found out the way you did.”

 

“You mean because you were trying to keep it a secret.” Marcus asked, giving his sister a knowing smile.

 

“Well…yeah. I was going to tell you, I swear.”

 

“Char, no offense, but this is how it started last time, with the lies and the secrets.” Jon seemed to be a good guy, but Marcus was a big brother first, which is one of the reasons he had such a big reaction when he heard about Jon and Charlotte kissing in the restaurant.

 

“Yes, I know Marcus, but you don’t have to be so protective.”

 

“Actually I do. We’re not going down this road again,” Marcus said, standing up to his full height. “I may have been joking about setting up some ground rules before, but I think it’s a good idea.”

 

“Seriously?”

 

“Yes, absolutely. At the very least I need to have a talk with Jon, explain what happened before–”

 

“No Marcus, absolutely not. You are not going to say anything. It’s my decision if I want to tell Jon about my past and we are definitely not anywhere close to that yet. I like him, okay, just let us have this easy time together for just a little while longer.”

 

Marcus crossed his arms and looked at his sister disapprovingly. “It’s not going to make it any easier to tell him if you wait longer.”

 

“I know.”

 

~~~~~

 

“Okay, now if we’re talking defense–”

 

“Mom! As great as this conversation is, I actually have to go,” Jon said, trying to be gentle when cutting his mom off.

 

“Really? I thought practice was over.”

 

“Well it is…”

 

“Are you going to hang out with Charlotte?” Just by listening to the changes in Jon’s voice Lois was able to guess what was going on with her son. Clark may have been Superman, but Lois was Super-Mom.

 

There was silence on the other end of the phone.

 

“Jonathan?”

 

“Seriously, how do you do that,” he finally asked in disbelief.

 

Lois chuckled. “Because I’m your mom. I just know things. So what are you and Charlotte going to do with your evening?”

 

“Actually, Mom, I don’t think that’s any of your business,” Jon answered with a smile.

 

Lois Lane was nothing if not persistent. “Maybe not, but you could tell me anyway.”

 

“I could, but I think I’ll pass. Talk to you later.”

 

“Bye, Jonathan. I love you.”

 

“Bye Mom, love you too,” Jon said with a smile, as he ended the phone call.

 

Jon started walking back towards Marcus and Charlotte, though his smile faltered when he noticed they seemed to be arguing. As Jon got closer they stopped, and acted like nothing was amiss.

 

“Hey guys, what’s going on?”

 

“Oh just a little brother and sister spat,” Charlotte answered with a smile that didn’t quite meet her eyes. “Everything okay with you?”

 

“Definitely,” Jon answered, not wanting to say any more about the phone call. “Looking forward to spending the evening with you, that’s for sure,” Jon said, addressing his girlfriend.

 

“Spare me,” Marcus said sarcastically. “I’ll leave you guys to your fun and catch you later.” Both Jon and Charlotte waved at Marcus as he was walking away. As soon as he was out of earshot, Charlotte turned to Jon. 

 

“So did you want to get some dinner?”

 

“Sure, but before we do that, I was wondering if we could talk here for just a second.”

 

“Okay,” answered Charlotte, surprised at Jon’s request.

 

Jon extended his hand and Charlotte happily took it, weaving their fingers together. Leading the way, Jon took Charlotte out across the fifty yard line until they were in the middle of the field. To some, it might have seemed like a strange place to talk. Even though she had only known him for a short time, Charlotte could tell that whatever Jon was doing, it was something special.

 

“You know, most of my life was defined by what I did on fields just like this one,” Jon began, looking out across the green turf. “Even when I was a little kid I thought my worth depended on how many touchdowns I made or how many passes I caught. As I got older I realized it wasn’t true, but it was really hard to change that way of thinking. And now, all these years later, the things that will happen on this field in the coming weeks will shape my life again.”

 

Jon turned back to Charlotte and stared into her loving, impossibly blue eyes. He gently placed a hand on her soft cheek. “But this time,” he whispered huskily, “this time I’m not gonna let it be my whole life. So I was wondering–”

 

“Jon! You gotta get over here,” yelled Marcus, sprinting towards them.

 

“Can you just give me like a couple of minutes man,” Jon asked through gritted teeth. His friend's timing was truly incredible.

 

“I don’t think so,” Marcus said solemnly. “You’re gonna wanna see this.”

 

“What happened,” asked Charlotte.

 

“Jon…somebody totally vandalized your truck.”

Notes:

I told you things were getting exciting! Would love to hear your thoughts in the comments :)

Thanks so much for reading everyone!

Chapter 19: Jon's Truck

Summary:

Charlotte and Jon follow Marcus out to the parking lot to find that, indeed, someone has vandalized Jon's truck. Heartbroken, who can Jon call for backup?

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“I’m sorry, what?”

 

“Somebody vandalized your truck. I don’t know who it was, but you gotta see this.”

 

Marcus may have been joking around before, but the tone in his voice now was much different and he was obviously not kidding.

 

Jon and Charlotte, with their hands still linked, followed Marcus. Before leaving the field, Jon grabbed the rest of his stuff so he wouldn’t have to come back out that way, since the field was quite a distance from the parking lot. Then the group of three exited the field and headed toward the lot with Jon’s truck. Even from a distance Jon could see that the damage to his truck had been severe.

 

As they got closer, Jon learned just how nasty the vandalizers had been. All the windows and headlights were smashed in. Even though the tires were pretty heavy duty, they had somehow been slashed. The paint job was completely ruined. Whoever had done the job had taken a set of keys and completely carved up the sides of the truck. They had also taken cans of spray paint and written obscene threats and messages targeted directly at ‘Coach Kent.’ And if that wasn’t bad enough, they had also taken a crowbar and beat in the passenger doors and anywhere else they could find.

 

In short, the vehicle was totaled. At that moment, Jon was completely devastated. The truck had been a gift from Uncle Tal at a time when Jon had desperately needed a win in his life. And ever since he had received it he had done his best to maintain the truck and keep it in good condition. Then just like that, someone had completely destroyed years of hard work and upkeep.

 

But it was more than that, the truck had been a companion for Jon when he was figuring his life out and it was something that was dependable and that he could always take care of when he didn’t know what else to do. And now…somebody had totally wrecked it.

 

The attack felt ridiculously personal of course, and Jon was having a hard time moving past the violence.

 

Charlotte didn’t know much about vehicles, but she knew the damage that had been done was horrific and that Jon must be devastated. It was a little early in their relationship to deal with something so tragic, and Char didn’t really know her role, or what was expected of her, but she knew she had to do something.

 

They were still holding hands, but Jon’s had gone limp. So she squeezed it affectionately. “Are you okay, babe?”

 

“Yeah…I’m fine,” Jon whispered.

 

Charlotte silently berated herself. What a stupid question. He obviously was not fine. She tried again. “Marcus and I will stay right here.”

 

“Yeah, definitely, whatever you need, man.”

 

“I gotta call the insurance company…and a tow truck,” he said, still in a bit of a daze. “Can one of you call the police and maybe the principal, since this happened on school property.”

 

“Of course, but don’t we wanna take some photo evidence first before calling a tow truck?”

 

“The person I’m calling lives a little ways away. They also own a body shop so it can be fixed right there.”

 

“Wait, you know somebody that can do that,” Marcus asked, a little surprised.

 

Jon allowed a hint of a smile to cross his face. “Yeah, I know a guy.”

 

While Jon walked a little ways away to make his phone calls, actually, far enough so they couldn’t hear his side of the conversation, Charlotte called the police and Marcus called the principal. After they had each finished their phone calls, Jon still hadn’t returned so they took a moment together, trying to process what happened.

 

“I can’t believe this,” Charlotte began. “I mean this is awful. Poor Jon. I can’t imagine how he must be feeling.”

 

“I know,” Marcus agreed with a shake of his head. “I’ve heard of vandalizing a vehicle, but this is almost a new level.

 

“He’s just so shaken up. I’ve never seen him like this.” Charlotte glanced over to the other side of the parking lot where Jon was still on the phone. He was pacing slowly back and forth, his head hanging down, looking utterly defeated. “Is this how he acted after the fight yesterday?”

 

“No,” Marcus answered. “As soon as he realized what was going on, he immediately tried to convince me that everything was fine and that he was okay. I kind of get the feeling that he’s had to do that a lot in his life.”

 

“I’ve been wondering the same thing,” Charlotte said softly. “Oh God, Marcus, how are we going to help him? He has the opening game in a few days, people are already doubting him, and now this?”

 

Marcus glanced over and saw that Jon had hung up the phone and was walking back towards them. “I don’t know, but we’re not leaving him alone in this,” Marcus said quickly, before Jon got too close.

 

“Hey, buddy, did you get a hold of the people you need to,” Marcus asked, as Jon approached.

 

“Yep. The tow truck is coming and I talked to the insurance company. We’ll have more of a conversation tomorrow, but basically I just need to get some pictures today.”

 

“I got it, man,” Marcus said. Using his phone to take the pictures that he knew the police and insurance company would require, Marcus quickly stepped up to help his friend. Jon wanted to protest that he could handle the simple action, but the truth was, he was just so overwhelmed, it would take all his strength and focus to get through the next few hours.

 

Just then, the principal, Kyle Sawyer, pulled up in his modest Sedan. He threw the door open when his vehicle had barely been put in park. “Kent, are you alright,” Kyle asked as he rushed toward his flustered employee.

 

“Yeah, I’m…I wasn’t anywhere close when…this happened,” Jon whispered, barely able to get the words out.

 

“Did someone call the police?”

 

“They’re driving over now,” Marcus said, making sure to get pictures of the truck from every angle.

 

“Alright, well if you guys are okay out here for a minute, I’m going to go inside and see if the security footage caught anything that can tell us who did this.” It was immediately clear that the principal was furious that this heinous act had been committed on school property, and to one of his most promising young educators.

 

Marcus finished taking the pictures just as the police showed up.

 

“We received a call about an act of vandalism,” the senior officer said, as he got out of his squad car. He fit the standard stereotype of a small town cop, but seemed competent enough. The young deputy that accompanied the senior officer was skinny, enthusiastic, and really needed to work on his poker face. 

 

“Holy shit,” he said, not even bothering to disguise his reaction to the act of vandalism.

 

“Carl,” the senior officer said, the annoyance obvious on his face. We talked about this, maintaining professionalism when we go out into the field.”

 

“Right, got it sir,” Carl answered, his squeaky voice matching the rest of him.

 

“Now who’s vehicle is this?”

 

“That would be mine, sir,” Jon said, taking a few steps closer to the officer.

 

“And your name?”

 

“Jon Kent.”

 

“Kent? know that name. You’re the new football coach, right?”

 

“Yes, sir. That’s correct.”

 

“Well, shit. I’m Officer Milo Brentwood. You coach my grandson, Adam Brentwood.”

 

“Yes, sir. He’s a great player.”

 

“And you’re putting him in the game on Friday,” Officer Brentwood asked, the excitement obvious on his face, even though he had just lectured his deputy about maintaining professionalism, not two minutes earlier.

 

Jon allowed himself a smile. “Yes, sir.”

 

“Well that’s just great,” said Officer Brentwood. “I am definitely looking forward to that game. Looks like we got a little situation to sort out here, first though.”

 

As excited as the officer was about seeing his grandson play in the game, he quickly recognized that wasn’t the time to talk game strategy. This time, professionalism did take over as he and the deputy took down accounts of what had happened. Officer Brentwood also had the deputy take pictures for the official report.

 

The process was tedious, but thorough. Eventually, Kyle came back from his office. “Evening gentlemen, I am Kyle Sawyer, the principal. I was just in my office reviewing the security footage.”

 

“What have you got?”

 

Kyle let out a frustrated sigh. “Unfortunately, not much. Their backs are turned most of the time and they’re all wearing big black hoodies. I can send you the footage to see if anyone from the department can make any more sense of it.”

 

“Sure, go ahead and send it over. Do you have any preliminary suspects?”

 

“Well, the people seemed to be angry at Jon as a coach, so maybe somebody who has a problem with his decisions on the field…”

 

Jon tuned out most of the discussion. He answered questions when he was asked, of course, since the authorities needed his cooperation, but for the most part he was in a daze.

 

Since he had first considered switching out the players, Jon worried about the repercussions, knowing it might be an unpopular decision. When he imagined all the different ways the situation might play out, Jon imagined some pushback, but never something of this magnitude.

 

He was numb. There were really no other words for it. He was aware that Charlotte was still holding his hand and was thankful for the gentle squeezes she gave him every few minutes which served as a good reminder that it wasn’t some crazy nightmare, that this had all happened.

 

Eventually the principal and the police officers left, having collected all the information they needed for the time being. Kyle would have loved to talk more in depth with Jon, but it was clear the young coach was not in the right headspace for that. So Kyle left Jon in the capable hands of the fellow teacher and presumably Jon’s girlfriend to stay with him until the tow truck arrived.

 

“How are you holding up, babe,” Charlotte asked, as the authorities drove away. She was sitting with Jon on a bench near the parking lot while Marcus paced nearby, trying to give the young couple a little bit of privacy.

 

“I mean, I’m still here so that’s…a fact I guess,” he said with a lifeless chuckle. This is really not how I thought we would spend the evening.”

 

She gently rubbed his arm, hoping to help him focus on anything other than the current situation. “How were you hoping to spend the evening?”

 

“I thought we would go to that nice restaurant in town, have a quiet meal, then maybe go for a walk so I could ask you to be my girlfriend. But now that plan’s gone to hell so I have to come up with something else and–”

 

“Wait, you were going to ask me to be your girlfriend tonight?” Charlotte had been assuming and hoping that was coming, but to actually hear the words come out of his mouth took her by surprise.

 

“Well…no…not exactly, I was…well, yeah,” Jon admitted, running his fingers through his hair nervously. He used to be good with girls, right?

 

“Wow.”

 

“Is that a good wow or a bad wow,” Jon couldn’t resist asking, since he couldn’t tell by the expression on her face.

 

Charlotte chuckled and wove her hand with his. “It’s a good wow.”

 

“Alright,” Jon said with a grin, “That’s good. You know, even though I meant to do this way smoother, now seems as good of a time as any.” He turned toward Charlotte and stared into her clear blue eyes. “Charlotte Reynolds, I may have only known you a couple of weeks, but in that time you have made me happier than I have been in years. You’re smart, funny, incredibly beautiful, and I would spend every second of the day with you if I could. So I was wondering will you–”

 

Just then, as if on cue. A big silver tow truck came rolling into the parking lot. And much to Marcus and Charlotte’s surprise, a girl who looked to be about their age hopped out. She was wearing faded jeans and a leather bomber jacket over a white tank top. Her combat boots tied the outfit together.

 

Even though the girl seemed too young to be manning such a big tow truck, the hard expression on her face seemed to suggest that she could handle it.

 

But the minute she spotted Jon, the girl’s face lit up like she had won the lottery. “Jon,” she screeched and raced toward him.

 

Jon stood up. It was her. It was really her. The girl he never would have pictured being a part of his life, but now he couldn’t imagine living without. They had been through so much together, good times and bad, laughs and tears, along with everything in between.

 

“Nat,” he whispered. When she jumped into his arms, Jon held on with everything he had. Everything in his life was falling apart, but this, this moment was perfect.

 

Because it was Natalie.

Notes:

I've had these next few chapters in mind for a while and I'm excited to finally present them to you!! Thanks so much for reading and for your comments :)

Chapter 20: Introducing Natalie

Summary:

Natalie has come to help Jon out with his truck, but what will Charlotte and Marcus think of her sudden appearance?

Notes:

Introducing Natalie has been so fun! I love her dynamic with the boys and and I think it adds a cool layer.

Enjoy!

Thanks to everyone for reading and commenting as always :)

Chapter Text

Needing the comfort after such a crappy day, Jon held on to Nat like a life preserver. His face was buried into her shoulder, as if he was worried she would disappear if he let go (in their family, it wasn’t a big stretch). 

 

She had jumped into his arms and wrapped her legs around his waist, holding on to him just as tightly. Nat and Jon had become insanely close over the years, but due to their vastly different schedules and lifestyles these days, they didn’t get to hang out nearly as much as they would have liked.

 

For Nat, Jon had become a confidant, and a partner in crime. Okay not actual crime, since they came from superhero families, but regardless, they had still managed to get into a fair amount of trouble over the years. She had a similar relationship with Jordan as well, but there was a special connection between her and Jon specifically. They shared a love and aptitude for technology and working with metal, an interest in football, and knew how it felt to sit on the sidelines and be forced to stay out of the action if something was too dangerous. As sucky as the whole situation with Jon's truck was, it was also a blessing in disguise because it gave Nat a chance to catch up with her brother, who was, in her opinion, one of the best people in the world.

 

Realizing that they had an audience, Natalie gingerly eased her way out of Jon’s arms and hopped back onto the ground. “How are you holding up?”

 

“Better now that you’re here, honestly.” Jon was so focused on the new arrival that he didn’t notice the way Charlotte’s face paled or how Marcus’ arm went protectively around his sister’s shoulders.

 

“You think you’ll be able to get my truck even close to what it was,” Jon asked, turning to his battered vehicle.

 

“Have I ever let you down before?”

 

Jon answered without hesitation. “Never.”

 

Natalie burst into a big smile. “That’s what I like to hear. Come on, let’s get it loaded up onto the trailer.” Then, working in unison, as if they had done it thousands of times before, Jon and Natalie got the truck onto the trailer so it could be towed back to the Irons Body Shop for some major reconstruction. Jon seemed perfectly at ease working with the chains suggesting he had done that kind of work before. While he was conversing with Natalie, he found himself genuinely smiling for the first time since he had seen his truck.

 

Marcus and Charlotte were also watching the scene play out and they couldn’t help but notice just how comfortable Jon seemed to be with this girl. At the very least they were old friends, but the way Jon looked at her sometimes, or let his hand rest on her shoulder, Marcus couldn’t help but wonder if they had been more than that.

 

If Jon cheated on Charlotte, the damage to the truck would look tame compared to what Marcus would do to get revenge on his sister. Charlotte was clearly having the same thoughts. “Do you think…they were together at one point, or maybe wanted to be,” she asked wistfully. “They seem awfully comfortable together. Jon’s never mentioned her before.”

 

“I’m not sure who she is,” Marcus answered, sending a death glare to an oblivious Jon. “But we will find out before this goes any further.”

 

“Before she showed up…Jon was going to ask me to…be his girlfriend,” Charlotte whispered. Unable to tear herself away from Jon and the girl he was laughing with. “But now…I just don’t know what to think.”

 

“You don’t owe him anything Char, if anything, he owes you an explanation,” Marcus said, getting annoyed at his friend for the treatment of his sister. She didn’t deserve this.

 

Still completely unaware of how his behavior was affecting Charlotte, Jon leaned over, pulled Natalie in for a hug, and affectionately planted a kiss on her forehead. Finally, Charlotte turned away from the situation, having seen enough. “I can’t. I’m sorry, I have to go.” 

 

Marcus tried to give Charlotte a comforting hug, but she pushed him away, desperate to get out of the situation. When she was rushing towards her car, Jon finally noticed Charlotte again.

 

“Woah, babe, where are you going,” Jon asked, cutting her off before she got too far.

 

“I’m leaving,” she replied softly, unable to meet his eyes.

 

“Leaving? What. Why?”

 

“You would obviously rather spend time with her, so I’ll just get out of here.”

 

“Woah, woah, woah, her? You mean…” He gestured toward Natalie. “You think that we…babe, no! It’s not like that, I swear,” Jon insisted, hoping to immediately correct Charlotte’s inaccurate assumptions.

 

“Well it’s clearly something, I’m not blind, Jon.”

 

“Hey, what’s going on over here,” Natalie said, jogging over to the bickering couple.

 

Charlotte could have cried. The girl was even more beautiful up close, no wonder why Jon had a thing for her. Her dark eyes showed mystery but also intelligence. Her dark skin was perfectly smooth and her long braids hung regally down her back. She seemed to have this tough, badass air about her, like when handling the chains of the tow truck. But when she had been talking with Jon, Charlotte had also seen a playfulness and easygoing quality about her.

 

This girl clearly had beauty brains and brawn. No wonder Jon had fallen for her. “I’m stepping aside,” Charlotte said tearfully, still avoiding Natalie’s eyes. “I won’t be the other woman.”

 

“The other– Charlotte, no, I’m telling you, there’s nothing like that going on between us.”

 

“Well you’re obviously close,” Marcus said, coming up behind his sister. He put a hand on her shoulder, knowing she could use the support.

 

“Yeah, we’re close. We’re like family.”

 

“Definitely,” Natalie agreed, not wanting to stir up trouble. “Jon is like family for me too.”

 

“You know, a lot of people can say that, but it doesn’t mean it’s exactly true,” Marcus pointed out.

 

“But in this case, it is the truth.”

 

“You guys seem awfully close,” Charlotte pointed out, not quite believing Jon just yet.

 

“Well of course we’re close, we have a long history together,” added Natalie, not seeing how the comment proved the other girl’s point. “We’ve been through a lot and Jon's always been there for me. That’s what family does.”

 

Jon took a step closer to Charlotte. “You’re the one I want to be with.”

 

“Then how come when she got here, she jumped into your arms and held on for dear life.”

 

Jon and Natalie exchanged looks. Their family relationship was complicated. They loved and cared about each other, sure, but so much of their dynamic over the years had been dealing with world ending problems and constantly being afraid they wouldn’t see one another again. So when they did meet up, they were usually pretty affectionate because they weren’t taking anything for granted.

 

It was the same way when Jordan got thrown into the mix as well. They all had their fun together, of course. But after all the near world ending situations that they had been thrown into, they knew enough to live every moment to the fullest.

 

“I haven’t seen her in a long time,” Jon began softly. “She’s one of the people I’m closest to in the whole world. And after everything that’s been happening with the team, and now the truck…I don’t know as soon as I saw her it was just instinct. She’s always been there.” Jon didn’t expect to get so vulnerable, but he needed Charlotte to understand the situation.

 

“I’m so thankful that you’re here,” Jon continued, taking Charlotte’s hand. “You’ve been so amazing. Nat’s like family, but I want you to be my girlfriend.”

 

Charlotte’s resolve melted and she leaned in for a kiss.

 

“Nope, no way,” Marcus said, pulling Charlotte away. “I’m not gonna let you fall for that charmer act. The facts are right there. Were you listening? They have a history, she’s always gonna be there for him? You know what that means–”

 

“She’s my sister,” Jon exploded.

 

“What,” Charlotte whispered in disbelief.

 

Jon took a deep breath and exchanged a look with Nat. Obviously he hadn’t meant for things to be revealed that way, but he couldn’t stand the misinformation and accusations that were being thrown around.

 

“Charlotte, Marcus, this is…my sister, Natalie Irons.”

 

They looked back and forth between Nat a Jon, immediately noticing the physical differences between the two, but also the difference in last name.

 

“But how–”

 

“It’s complicated,” Natalie spoke up. “And we don’t usually tell anyone outside our family. So if it's okay, I’d rather not go into any more details. Though I can promise you, Jon is my brother.”

 

Marcus was looking between the two still in disbelief, though Charlotte gave them a small smile. “So if you’re Jon’s sister…I bet you know some pretty embarrassing secrets about him.”

 

Natalie broke into a large smile. “Definitely.”

 

“Share with the class,” Charlotte said, with a mischievous grin, pleased that Natalie had taken the invitation. Everyone knew it was a classic sister move to say embarrassing things about your brother.

 

“Oh, for sure,” Natalie said. “Us girls have to stick together.”

 

“Now wait a minute,” Jon said, before the conversation got much further. “I’m not sure that I like the idea of my sister and girlfriend exchanging stories about me.”

 

“You mean your sister and the girl you’ve been trying to ask to be your girlfriend, but haven’t managed to yet, because you’re lame,” Natalie pointed out, very matter of fact.

 

“Wow, I think I’m starting to like you,” Charlotte said, visibly relaxing around the other girl. “You just tell it like it is, huh?”

 

“All the damn time,” Jon said, rolling his eyes. But when he looked at Natalie, there was an obvious fondness in his eyes.

 

“So, are we going to gossip about Jon or not,” Natalie asked, looking intently at Charlotte. “Because I have got some high quality Jon stories. I promise you, this guy is not as smooth as he acts. There was this one time when we were seventeen and Jon had this date–”

 

“Okay,” Jon said loudly, stepping in much like Marcus had earlier. “I don’t think anyone wants to hear that story.”

 

“No offense, bro, but I think we do,” Marcus said. The whole Natalie being Jon’s sister thing had completely thrown Marcus for a loop. A big part of him was super curious about this ‘complicated family situation’ that was going on. But more importantly, now that he had seen them interact up close, Marcus could see that the relationship between Jon and Natalie was certainly more familial than romantic, as he had first assumed. The way they teased each other totally reminded him of the way he acted around Charlotte.

 

“Great. So now everyone’s against me,” Jon suggested, throwing his hands in the air, glad that the conversation had turned more casual and joking.

 

“Aww, Jon, we’re not against you, we’re just stating facts about how lame you are. There’s a difference,” Natalie said, mocking her brother once again, all in good fun of course.

 

“Okay, well obviously I’m not gonna win this argument,” Jon said, throwing his hands up in surrender. “Now I need to go with Natalie back to her body shop, so I can pick up one of the extra cars there while she works on my truck for the next few weeks. But before we leave, there is one thing, I absolutely have to say. And I’m saying it in front of my sister, and your brother,” he said, gesturing to Marcus.

 

“Charlotte Reynolds, will you please be my girlfriend?”

 

“Yes,” she said simply, before kissing him full on the lips. “I thought you would never ask.”

 

“I’m gonna get in my truck and you give you two lovebirds a minute. Nice to meet you guys,” Nat said, expertly breaking up the moment.

 

“You too,” answered Charlotte. “We should hang out soon and get to know each other better.”

 

“Absolutely,” Natalie said, with a genuine smile, before waving and hopping in the truck. Marcus also took a few steps back to give Jon and Char some privacy.

 

“I wish we could go on a date and celebrate, but I really need to go with Nat to get a vehicle, and it could be a long night, so tomorrow, maybe?”

 

“Sure,” Charlotte answered with a nod.

 

“Okay great. Hey listen, I know this day has been crazy and you weren’t expecting Natalie, but she’s a really great sister. She’s always had my back and having her here today was really important to me. But despite all that, she’s my sister. You’re the one I want to be with.”

 

Charlotte blushed under Jon’s directness. She had been pretty sure before that he liked her, and saw things moving forward with the two of them, but to hear him say it now, meant the world.

 

“I want to be with you too and your sister seems great. I can’t wait to get to know her better.”

 

“As nervous as that makes me,” Jon began with a joking tone to his voice, “I think you guys would get along really well.”

 

After exchanging a few more romantic sentiments and a last kiss goodbye, Charlotte headed back to her car, while Jon turned to hop in the tow truck with Natalie.

 

“Hey, Jon,” Marcus called. "Can I talk to you for a second?”

 

“Yeah, sure.”

 

“Listen, I wanted to say I’m sorry for freaking out about Natalie earlier. She just showed up and the way you guys were acting…I just didn’t know what to think.”

 

“No worries man, I know how it is.”

 

“I appreciate that. I can get a little hot headed sometimes, especially when I think something is going on with Charlotte. The truth is…I’m always going to protect my sister.”

 

His words were an explanation, yes, also a reminder, and maybe even a little bit of a warning for Jon.

 

“Me too,” Jon answered simply.

 

A few minutes later when Jon had gotten into the truck, Natalie looked at him. “You know, I’m not sure what the biggest bombshell was. The fact that your truck got destroyed, that I’m the first family member to meet Charlotte, or the fact that you haven’t told Jordan about any of this.”

 

“Oh, shit.”

Chapter 21: The Truth

Summary:

Jon and Natalie talk about the day's events...the same events that Jordan may find out about sooner, rather than later.

Chapter Text

“He’s gonna kill me,” Jon murmured, shaking his head. “He’s totally gonna kill me because I left him out of everything that happened today.”

 

“Can I be there for the literal, inevitable, explosion?”

 

“Come on Nat, this is serious,” Jon scolded. “You know how annoyingly Jordan reacts when I don’t tell him stuff. And something this big? He’s gonna be super pissed.”

 

“You’re right. So here’s a thought: don’t tell him.”

 

“What kind of suggestion is that? You have met Jordan, right,” Jon asked sarcastically. “He’s gonna find out anyway, he always does, and if it doesn’t come from me, and soon, he’s gonna explode.”

 

“Okay, well, let’s just think about this logically,” Natalie said, tapping the steering wheel. “It all happened really fast, right. You could just say that it was overwhelming and you were just trying to get through. Say that you weren’t avoiding him, there were just a lot of time sensitive details to figure out.”

 

“Yeah, that could work,” Jon considered thoughtfully, staring out the dark window. “But I should probably have a backup plan.”

 

“I’ll make you a deal. I will help you brainstorm ways to handle the inevitable wrath of Hurricane Jordan, if you tell me everything about football and your new girlfriend. I was the one that met her first, so I feel like I have a right to hear all the juicy details.”

 

Jon chuckled. Natalie was something else. She was smart, funny, and so obviously a Lane, meaning she had a way with words and knew how to get exactly what she wanted. “Damn, I’ve really missed you, sis. Alright, deal. What do you wanna know?”

 

~~~~~

 

Natalie parked the tow truck outside the small house she rented. She and Jon had decided to make a quick pizza at her house before they took care of the truck. During the trip back to Nat’s place, they had also talked about Jon being head football coach, the jerk kids that Jon had to switch out, and how he liked being a teacher. Natalie had also gotten a big kick out of the way Jon and Charlotte had met and that Char wasn’t impressed with Jon at the time.

 

Natalie made it very clear that the story had been filed away as blackmail to use later, which Jon wasn’t necessarily amused about, but also wasn’t surprised by. After all, he knew Nat very well. She had some great advice about football, and, like everyone else in his life, agreed that he had made the right choice with switching the players. It was so great to converse with someone who really understood his plight as a coach, instead of just sympathizing.

 

Nat had made fun of him a little bit when they started talking about Charlotte because he had gotten all awkward, and embarrassed. But truly, his sister thought the whole thing was cute and was glad he had someone special in his life.Their conversations were going well and both were looking forward to chatting even more over a pizza and a couple beers.

 

But sometimes, life doesn’t go according to plan.

 

When they arrived at Natalie’s little house, she was surprised to see the living room light on and furrowed her brow. Nat was usually pretty good about remembering little things like turning lights off when she left the house.

 

Curious, she went to unlock the front door and grew concerned when she found she didn’t need the key. She didn’t have a gun, but was fairly practiced in hand to hand combat if it came to that. She pushed open the door, ready to face whatever danger might be lurking, only to find that it was just Jordan, lounging on the couch, scrolling through his phone.

 

“Oh Nat, there you are. I didn’t do anything for food because I didn’t know where you were, but I thought when you got here we could grab–oh, Jon, hey.” Jordan was obviously surprised to see his brother with Natalie. “I didn’t know you were coming over.”

 

“Yeah, well, I didn’t know that you were either,”

 

Given the fact that Jon wasn’t looking him in the eyes, Jordan was immediately suspicious about the reason his brother had followed Natalie into the house. Jordan stood up and confronted his brother. “So what’s going on?”

 

“What makes you think something is going on,” Jon asked, totally evading the question. “Natalie is my sister, I’m allowed to hang out with her. Maybe I should be asking you why you’re here?”

 

Jordan wasn’t bothered by the accusation because he had a decent answer. “Nat’s my sister too, which is why we meet once a month to eat and catch up.”

 

“Crap, I totally forgot that it was today. Jordan I’m so sorry,” Natalie said, looking genuinely apologetic.

 

“It’s no problem. You weren’t answering your phone, so I’m just glad to see you’re okay. What’s going on Jon,” Jordan asked, looking pointedly at his brother. It was very obvious that Jordan was not going to be distracted until he got some answers.

 

“Natalie and I ran into each other and–”

 

“Bullshit.”

 

“What? But I–

 

“Do I look like an idiot Jon? I can see the look on your face. Something happened and I wanna know what it is. Now.”

 

Damn. Jordan really had the superhero voice of authority thing down perfectly. Fortunately for Jon, he had known Jordan long before being Superboy was a question, or even a possible thought.

 

“Dude, will you just relax. There isn’t always a problem. I haven’t hung out with Nat for a while either. Did you ever think that maybe I’m just being a good brother and wanted to check out the new body shop?”

 

Jordan nodded slowly. “You’re good, really good. But you forget, I know you better than anyone. I know that you’re lying and that it’s something big.” He turned to his sister. “Natalie please, I know something’s up. Just tell me.”

 

Natalie let out a deep breath before answering. “I drove down to pick up Jon’s truck.”

 

“Nat,” Jon protested.

 

“Bro, he’s gonna find out anyway,” Natalie softly reminded Jon. She put her hand on his arm, trying to let him know that it was okay before she continued. “There was…an incident with Jon’s truck so I went to pick it up and he’s with me because he’s going to drive one of the extra vehicles I have.”

 

“What’s wrong with Jonathan’s truck,” Jordan asked, not missing a beat. His voice was deadly calm.

 

Jon closed his eyes. He was so screwed.

 

“Maybe you just better go out and take a look at it,” Natalie suggested.

 

No one needed to tell Jordan twice. He pushed through Jon and Natalie, desperate to learn the truth about what his siblings were hiding from him.

 

When he finally saw the truck, Jordan was at a complete loss for words. Due to his good eyesight he could see all the damage, despite how dark it was outside.

 

The attack had been personal, and deliberate, designed to hurt Jon to his core. Jordan was devastated for his brother and for the pain it must have caused him.

 

“Are you okay,” Jordan asked, hoping to get at least one question answered.

 

“I’m fine,” Jon answered in a casual voice that his brother immediately distrusted.

 

“Jon–”

 

“No really, I wasn’t anywhere close when this happened. My truck was in the parking lot and I was still on the football field.”

 

Jordan nodded, satisfied with that answer for the time being. “Then you called Nat.”

 

“Yeah, she wasn’t that far away, and I trusted her to be able to handle the work. Plus, I needed a vehicle to drive while my truck was getting fixed up.”

 

“Okay, that’s fair.” Jordan breathed evenly, trying his best to remain calm, and be grateful that he was finally getting answers about the horrible situation.

 

“You sure you’re okay,”Jordan turned back to his brother so he could get a better gauge on how he was doing.

 

“I mean it sucks,” Jon answered honestly, “But I’m fine. I know Nat can fix my truck and I wasn’t anywhere close when it happened.”

 

“Did you call the police?”

 

“I did, the principal had some security footage, which he gave them, but there weren’t any good angles, so we don’t know much.”

 

“What do you mean they don’t know much, somebody’s gotta pay for this.”

 

“Jordan–”

 

“This is destruction of property. It was a violent act of crime. How the hell are you being so calm about it,” Jordan asked, his attitude completely the opposite of his laid-back brother.

 

“I don’t know,” Jon said, shrugging his shoulders, but also avoiding eye contact with Jordan. “It happened, I’m taking steps to handle what’s next. There’s not much else I can do.”

 

“I don’t buy it.”

 

“What do you want me to say Jordan? That I’m pissed? Okay, yeah, I’m pissed. And I’m angry, obviously. I’ve had the damn truck since I was fifteen years old.” Jon took a deep breath and tried to refocus his energy. “But like I said, I trust Nat, she’s literally a genius with a wrench.”

 

“No one’s denying that. I’m just saying, you have to be desperate to find out who did this,” Jordan insisted.

 

“I have my suspicions,” Jon muttered quietly.

 

“You do? What the hell man, then let’s do something about it.”

 

“Jordan, I already told you, they need proof, and the video didn’t give a good view. There’s nothing else they can do right now.”

 

Both men were working hard to keep their tempers under control, which was proving to be difficult when the other was being just as stubborn.

 

“Okay fine.” Jordan waved his hand, dismissing the conversation. “Let’s forget about that for a second. Why didn’t you call me?”

 

“Because it happened really fast and I didn’t feel like coming up with another lie.”

 

“Why would you have had to lie? I could have just shown up.”

 

“Yes, but Marcus and Charlotte were there,” exploded Jon. “And there was already so much going on that I didn’t feel like explaining your sudden appearance.” 

 

Once again, Jordan went deadly quiet, his eyes fixed firmly on Jon. “So when you needed help, you picked them over me?”

 

“No, Jordan, damn it! That’s not what happened. They were already at the school. Charlotte and I were just talking and Marcus was the one that found the truck.”

 

“Okay, well, you could have called me, I could have been there in like two seconds.”

 

“And how the hell would I have explained your sudden appearance,” Jon asked, getting in his brother’s face. “Marcus and Charlotte know all the people their age that live around town, and they’ve never seen you. So it makes no sense that you would have been there.”

 

“But we could have come up with something, some excuse–”

 

“Before I found the truck I had plans with Charlotte.”

 

Jordan took a step closer to his brother. “We could have come up with something. You needed me there.”

 

“NO I DIDN’T,” Jon was only inches away from Jordan’s face when he started screaming, but the brunette twin didn’t even flinch. He was just as angry about the whole situation, and just as stubborn too. Natalie knew things were about to get a lot worse. “I didn’t need your help, I had the situation handled and I didn’t need you to rush in and save the day.”

 

“I wasn’t gonna save the day, I was just going to be there to support you.”

 

“No, you wouldn’t! You are always taking over because you think I’m weak and helpless and can’t do anything on my own. Well newsflash, Jordan-El , I may not have Kryptonian powers like you. But I’m a human being. And human beings don’t need freaky aliens to come in and save them.”

 

Jordan’s eyes flashed red. “So you’re saying you don’t need me?”

 

He should have stopped. He should have just stopped the angry words before they came out of his mouth, but he was totally powerless and just kept going. “No, I don’t need you. Don’t you get it? That’s why I moved far away, I was trying to prove that I can do things on my own without you being overprotective and smothering me all the time.”

 

“That’s really how you feel?”

 

No! Jon wanted to scream, that’s not how I feel. Of course I need you, it’s just been a crappy day.

 

But unfortunately, what came out was, “Yep. I really don’t need you.”

 

“Whatever you say.”

 

Before Jon could blink, his brother had sped off. He wanted to scream and yell that he didn’t mean those words. He definitely needed Jordan in his life. But there was some truth behind it. Jon really didn’t appreciate Jordan being protective all the time, which is why he hadn’t told Charlotte about his brother yet.

 

Damn! It was all so complicated.

 

Yes, he had issues with his brother’s overprotectiveness, but it wasn’t really Jordan's fault. More than anything, the issue was with Jon himself and needing to feel capable of doing something on his own. The way he had felt since being a teenager. Of course, he had never told Jordan about his biggest insecurity.

 

Jonathan ran his fingers through his messy blonde curls and turned to Natalie. “I really messed up, didn't I?”

 

Natalie looked at her brother with compassion. “Yeah, I think you did.”

Chapter 22: Dealing

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Natalie had given Jon a 2012 Impala to drive in the coming weeks while she worked on his truck. It was weird to be driving such a different vehicle. But it would do the job and he trusted Natalie with his truck.

 

That wasn’t the main problem. The main problem was that Jon hurt his brother, and hurt him badly.

 

They had fought before, obviously; they were brothers, it just happened sometimes. But something about this fight was different, more personal, in many ways. Of course, the minute Jordan flew away, Jon felt horrible and wished he could take his words back, but it was too late. Out of anyone in the world, Jon had the potential to hurt his brother the most, which in this case, he clearly did.

 

Natalie and Jon didn’t have the fun, chill evening that they had planned; Jordan’s sudden departure had kind of ruined the mood. Jon got the car from Nat, they talked a little about his truck, then Jon was ready to leave.

 

Before Jon hopped in the impala Natalie was loaning him, she pulled him aside. “Jon, are you okay?”

 

“Yeah, fine,” he answered casually, totally brushing off the sentiment.

 

“Bro, you don’t have to put on an act, not with me,” Natalie said, placing her hand affectionately on his shoulder.

 

“It’s not an act. I have to get home,” Jon answered, his tone clipped and short. He was claiming to be fine, but it was so incredibly obvious that he was about the furthest thing from being okay.

 

“Jonathan,” said Natalie, her tone a bit more firm. Jon turned away from the driver’s side door and towards his sister. Then she spoke softly. “He’s gonna forgive you.”

 

Jon tried so hard to keep it together, but nothing could send him into a downward spiral faster than fighting with his brother.

 

“What if he doesn’t,” Jon whispered.

 

“Oh, Jonathan,” Nat said, compassion filling her voice. Without hesitation, she pulled Jon in for a hug. Natalie wrapped her arms around her brother as tightly as she could, knowing at that moment he needed the comfort more than he would ever admit out loud. 

 

“He will Jon, I know it.”

 

~~~~~

 

The next few days passed in a blur as Jon stayed busy with school, football practice, hanging out with his new friends, and his girlfriend, Charlotte. Jon had always functioned better when he was busy because it meant that he didn’t have time to think.

 

And in this case, there was a lot to think about.

 

He thought about reaching out to Jordan like a thousand times, but didn’t. What was he going to say? ‘I’m sorry that I told the truth about how I feel.’ Maybe Jordan would have reacted better if he would have said, ‘Actually bro, I don’t need you looking over my shoulder all the time. Please back off.’

 

Yeah right.

 

It didn’t matter what he said. If the words had anything to do with Jon wanting more space from his brother, Jordan would have still reacted the same way. Jon wasn’t an idiot. He understood how protective Jordan was over him, especially after some of the crazy situations they had been in once they learned the family secret.

 

But even though he understood his brother’s actions, Jordan was still very confining and over the top most of the time. So Jon decided to make the best of their little feud and focus on himself and not answering to Jordan for the first time in several years.

 

He made sure to get to school early and use his free period for grading and lesson planning. That way, he was more focused and aware during football practice. Plus, working ahead allowed Jon to spend more time with Charlotte.

 

They went out to eat one night and grabbed dinner and a movie the second night. Wednesday was fun because they went back to the bar where they had met with the same group of friends from that night.

 

It was enjoyable to catch up with everyone and super easy to act like a couple. There were a few jokes about the new pairing, naturally, but they all approved of Jon and were pleased to see Charlotte so happy.

 

And Jon was just grateful to have something to do so he wasn’t thinking about his fight with Jordan the whole time, which he totally had NOT been doing for the past few days.

 

Charlotte and Jon were leaving the bar and headed back to the Impala he was borrowing from Natalie when Charlotte stopped him.

 

“Hey, Jon, do you have to take me home, or do you think maybe we could walk downtown for a little bit?”

 

“Sure we can walk around.” Jon guided her away from the bar and onto the sidewalk. He took Charlotte’s hand, curious what this was all about. “So what’s on your mind babe?”

 

“I…wanted to talk to you about something,” she began, her voice quiet, not at all the confident woman she usually was around him.

 

“Of course, you can tell me anything,” Jon replied, gently squeezing her hand. Internally, he was trying not to freak out.

 

“Okay, well, this is kind of a sensitive topic and I don’t mean to overstep, but are you okay?”

 

They passed under a streetlight and Jon could see the genuine concern on his girlfriend’s face. This wasn’t a casual question, she seemed really worried. Jon plastered a fake smile on his face; the same one he always used when things got bad in his family. “Yeah, I’m fine, why do you ask?”

 

“Well, I know I’ve only known you a couple weeks, so no offense, but I really don’t think you are.”

 

“What makes you think that,” Jon asked, his confident smile faltering a bit.

 

“It’s the little things mostly, like when the focus is somewhere else and you get this distant, sad expression on your face, or when things get too quiet you seem almost desperate to fill the conversation or act busy.” Jon was completely surprised with her assessment so far. Clearly she noticed more than Jon had assumed. Then she kept talking. 

 

“There’s other things too, like the way you check your phone, with this hopeful look on your face. Then when the answer isn’t what you want, you look so disappointed. And, it just seems like you’ve been putting on an act the past few days, like you want everyone to think you are okay but you really aren’t.”

 

Jon was quiet as he took in Charlotte’s words. Had that really been what he was doing? Probably. When he and Jordan fought, it usually shifted to the center of their lives until they made up.

 

Jon was trying not to think about the fight, but it was as if the more he tried to avoid it, the more he actually thought about it.

 

And clearly, Charlotte had noticed.

 

“You’re pretty observant,” Jon finally said.

 

“I think it comes from my job,” she answered, squeezing his hand again. “I hope I didn’t overstep.”

 

“No, not at all. If anything you were absolutely correct.”

 

“Do you wanna talk about it,” Charlotte asked, her voice impossibly soft, almost innocent, floating through the evening air.

 

Jon took a deep breath. Where to even begin? “I…had a fight with someone close to me. And I guess, I’m not handling it very well. I didn’t realize it was so obvious.”

 

Charlotte stopped him. “No, it wasn’t, not at all. You were doing great. I’m just trained to notice the little things. Also, I care about you a lot, so I’m just worried. Here.” She led him to a park bench in front of the local flower shop and they sat down. “Tell me about it.”

 

“It’s complicated,” Jon said, shaking his head, “I don’t know how much I can say.”

 

Charlotte turned so she was completely facing Jon, and took both of his hands. “I’m not fishing for information here, I just want to help. Whatever you are comfortable saying is fine with me.”

 

Obviously he couldn’t tell her everything, but maybe it would feel good to talk about it a little, considering he hadn’t, so far. His parents had both called a couple of times, but it was mostly to encourage him that the boys needed to make up. They didn’t take sides, just wanted the problem fixed. But it wasn’t that simple.

 

Anything regarding Jordan and Jonathan’s relationship rarely was.

 

“Okay, well, it’s like I said, I had a fight with…someone close to me.” Brother! He wanted to shout. I had a fight with my brother. But he couldn’t form the words.

 

“And we haven’t talked at all about what happened, which kind of makes it worse, you know.”

 

“So then maybe you should talk about it, maybe reach out? If it’s someone close to you they would be willing to forgive, right?”

 

“I’d like to think so. And I mean I wanna reach out…but I just don’t know what I would say.”

 

“Okay, well who needs to do the apologizing?”

 

“Me. Definitely me,” Jon answered without hesitation. “I was the one who crossed the line.”

 

“Jon,” his girlfriend said softly, moving one of her hands up to his shoulder. “You say you’re the one who needs to apologize, but you’re really upset about this. I don’t think it’s that simple.”

 

Of course it’s not that simple, Jon thought to himself. I essentially told my twin brother that I didn’t want to be around him as much and not come to my rescue every time I needed something.

 

But he wasn’t quite ready to reveal that.

 

He settled on, “No, it isn’t. But I should still be the one to apologize.”

 

“What are you apologizing for,” Char asked, rubbing his shoulder.

 

Jon shook his head. “It was stupid and I wasn’t thinking clearly,” he said, not quite answering the question.

 

“But,” she prodded gently.

 

“But even though I crossed the line, some of the things I said weren’t entirely wrong, which makes it more complicated.”

 

“Do you regret telling the truth,” Charlotte asked, moving her hand up to his cheek.

 

“I regret the way that it happened,” Jon said, leaning into her touch. “And now I can’t really take it back and I’m not sure where to go from here.”

 

“And this person…the one you’ve been fighting with. You said you’re close, it’s somebody you still want in your life?”

 

“Without question,” he replied, his answer prompt and certain.

 

“Then maybe it’s not about apologizing or who was right,” she advised, her voice still impossibly soft. “Maybe it’s about just reaching out, opening the lines of communication.”

 

“I’d like to–”

 

“Baby, this whole thing is clearly tearing you apart,” Charlotte said, taking her other hand to cradle Jon’s face. “You have to do something, I hate to see you like this.”

 

“It’s complicated–”

 

“I know, you said that, but Jon, you have to do something.”

 

Jon looked away, but Charlotte wasn’t ready to give up on him. She ran a hand through his untidy blonde curls, hoping to give him some sense of comfort despite all the stress he was putting himself under. “Look, I understand if it’s a personal matter that you can’t talk to me about, and that’s fine. But babe, you don’t deserve to be feeling this way. Whatever happened between the two of you, you have to do something. I care about you too much to let this go on any more.”

 

“Char–”

 

But she didn’t let him finish and instead pressed her lips against his, stopping any protest Jon tried to give. At first she had just intended to cut him off, but the kiss grew deeper, more passionate. Probably more passionate than was appropriate for a park bench at 7:30 PM on a Wednesday.

 

But neither of them cared.

 

Jon was desperate to feel anything other than guilt about his fight with Jordan and Charlotte was glad to be the one to help. He had been right earlier, they hadn’t known each other long, but somehow over the past few weeks, Jon had crept his way into her life.

 

Every morning when she woke up he was the first thought on her mind and every night when she went to bed she longed for the day when he would lie next to her.

 

She was falling for him, and falling fast.

 

Jon hadn’t told her everything about himself, that much was clear, but Charlotte hadn’t been honest about everything either. Trust like that took time, so she didn’t think Jon would mind that she had a few secrets of her own. But watching how much he had struggled that week was tough, and when he finally admitted what was going on, that damn near broke her heart.

 

It was so incredible to be with a man who was capable of feeling so deeply, and so intensely. Most of the guys Charlotte knew before seemed to be pretty one dimensional and quickly lost her interest.

 

But Jon…Jon was different. He was mysterious and closed off at times. But he could also be incredibly sweet and romantic. Jon had always treated her like a lady and with respect, something she hadn’t always gotten in the past. It didn’t hurt that he was super hot and an amazing kisser, but it was the other stuff that was keeping her invested beyond the physical attraction.

 

It was simple. She loved him. Which is why she was going to do whatever it took to help him through this complicated situation.

 

But at that moment, Jon clearly needed to think about something else other than his own problems. So she continued their kiss, for Jon and for herself, letting the passion take over.

Notes:

This chapter was pretty personal for me at parts and it was really good to just get some of these words on the page. Hope you are all enjoying Jon's journey, I know I am! Lots more fun stuff coming up! Thank you all for reading and commenting :)

Chapter 23: Encouragement

Summary:

As Jon as getting ready for the opening game, he can't help thinking about the fact that he still hasn't made up with Jordan yet.

Chapter Text

Even though Jon agreed with Charlotte that he needed to reach out and try to solve his personal conflict, it was Friday afternoon and he still hadn’t contacted his brother. Jon was sitting at the desk in his office, going over plays and mentally preparing for the game in a few hours.

 

But even though he was supposed to be focusing on football, his mind kept drifting back to the continued silence from his twin brother, Jordan. Jon had every intention of calling or texting his brother, but every time he was going to, something else came up and it was really easy to brush aside the thought of talking to Jordan.

 

Charlotte didn’t push, thankfully, but it was easy to see just how concerned she was about Jon. She looked at him differently and was more attentive, as if she thought he needed more support than normal. 

 

Which he kind of did. Especially after the phone call from his mom the day before… 

 

Jon’s phone had rang about twenty minutes before he had to head out to football practice. He looked down at the notification and wasn’t entirely surprised to see the word ‘Mom’ on the screen.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hi sweetie, how are you?”

 

“I’m fine. What’s going on?”

 

“Just checking in, seeing how things are going,” Lois replied, attempting to sound nonchalant.

 

“Is that code for asking if I’ve made up with Jordan yet,” Jon asked, totally calling out his mom.

 

Lois was silent a moment before answering. “Okay, fine. Yes, I want to know how things are going between the two of you.”

 

“The same way as before because we haven’t talked at all,” Jon answered, flipping through the playbook. 

 

“Why haven’t you guys talked,” Lois asked, slipping into her reporter voice.

 

“I don’t know, we just…haven’t,” Jon said, fumbling around for an answer that would be good enough for his mom.

 

“Try again,”  she retorted, not impressed with his attempt.

 

“Have you talked to Jordan,” Jon asked, deflecting the question once again.

 

“Actually yes, I have, and he’s being just as evasive as you are right now.”

 

“Wait, so he didn’t tell you what we are fighting about?”

 

“No. Every time I ask he avoids the question and says it’s not a big deal.”

 

“So you don’t know anything?” Jon leaned back in his desk chair, the dark leather cool on his neck. “Man, that’s gotta be killing you.”

 

“You’re fighting with your twin brother, okay, Jonathan. I don’t think this is really the time to be making jokes, do you?”

 

“No ma’am,” he replied automatically, with respect that had been drilled into brain since he was a little kid.

 

“I didn’t think so. Now tell me what’s going on.”

 

“Mom…there’s nothing really to say, it’s between Jordan and I. We’re going to talk soon, I think we just both needed some time to cool down a little.”

 

“Cool down from what,” Lois persisted, unwilling to give up.

 

“We’re adults, okay Mom? Just let us figure it out.”

 

Lois sighed dramatically on the other end of the phone and Jon imagined her running her fingers through her long brown hair as she often did when she was frustrated. “Fine. But you have to promise me that you will talk to your brother, and soon,” she insisted.

 

“Alright, I promise,” Jon agreed, knowing they had very different definitions of what ‘soon’ actually meant.

 

“Jonathan, I’m not trying to be intrusive, really, I’m not,” Lois said, finally softening her tone. “But I’m your mom, and I just get worried about you guys sometimes, especially if it doesn’t look like there is anything I can do to fix the situation. So for me, could you just try to work things out?”

 

“Sure, Mom, I promise…”

 

Jon blinked a few times, pulling himself out of the memory from the day before. He appreciated Lois checking up on him, but he also hadn’t been wrong by not telling her what had happened. The boys needed to figure out a way to solve this problem by themselves.

 

Plus, there was a bigger part of Jon that was really worried that if he told the truth, that Lois would side with Jordan, as she had often done over the years. It wasn’t malicious or intentional, but Lois had always had a soft spot for Jordan. It didn’t really bother Jon anymore, but he knew it wouldn’t do him any favors in that particular situation.

 

Jon had made the decision that if he was feeling good after the game, he would give his brother a call. It seemed like a good choice to make and one that Jon had been pleased with.

 

The only problem was, Jon had this nagging feeling that he should call Jordan before the game, that it was important. But that was ridiculous, they were already fighting, it’s not like a few hours would make that much of a difference.

 

He needed to focus on the coming game. That’s what was important.

 

Jon had just begun flipping through the playbook once again when there was a knock at the door. Could it be?

 

“Come in,” Jon said, trying to keep his erratic heartbeat under control.

 

His guest was definitely not Jordan. But based on who it was, he couldn’t actually be disappointed.

 

“Hey babe, this is a nice surprise,” Jon said, a big smile filling his face. He may have been worried about Jordan and football, but seeing Charlotte would always make him smile.

 

“Yeah, I wanted to come check on you before the game, see how you are doing,” she said.

 

At that moment, all Jon could do was stare at the gorgeous woman in front of him. Most days he saw Charlotte all dressed up, due to her job, but today, she looked like a completely different person.

 

Char was dressed in dark skinny jeans that highlighted her figure and tall boots. She also was wearing a plaid shirt that happened to match the school colors for Jon’s team. Her hair was pulled into a casual braid and she had just slipped off a pair of oversized sunglasses. The whole look was completely perfect for the girlfriend of the head football coach.

 

If Jon wasn’t head over heels for her before, he certainly was now.

 

“I’d be a lot better if you sat on my lap,” Jon said, wagging his eyebrows just a bit.

 

Charlotte chuckled at Jon’s forward suggestion and made her way over to the desk. She sat down, on his lap, naturally, and cradled his face. Char pulled him in for a kiss and didn’t complain when it turned into a little more than a friendly peck.

 

As usual, she pulled back first. “How are you doing now,” she said, keeping one hand on his cheek while the other was thrown carelessly around his shoulder.

 

“A lot better actually. Maybe you should kiss me again?”

 

“Nice try, mister,” Char said, patting his cheek. “If we do much more of that I’m afraid we’ll miss the game.”

 

“I’m not sure I see the problem,” Jon said with a wink.

 

“Oh yeah, I’m sure,” Charlotte said, rolling her eyes in a friendly manner. “Seriously, though, how are you feeling about the game?”

 

“Good, I think. I mean, okay, a little nervous. But I know that the guys are ready for this and that they’ve been working hard.”

 

“And the players you switched out?”

 

“The new kids are looking good, definitely proving they can handle the pressure. Carson and his buddies have been making trouble wherever they can, but luckily the other coaches are starting to get tired of it too and have stopped cutting them so much slack.”

 

“That’s great,” she replied, genuinely happy for her boyfriend. “I’m really looking forward to this game.”

 

“Yeah, me too,” Jon said, leaning into his girlfriend’s touch as he often did.

 

“So did you, um, talk to the person you were fighting with?” 

 

Jon stiffened, and tried to keep his answer casual. “No, not yet, I was thinking after the game.”

 

“Or, you could call now,” Char suggested shyly, not wanting to overstep.

 

Jon didn’t take the comment too personally. “Why would I do that when I could just sit here with you,” Jon pointed out, leaning in for a kiss.

 

This time Char put a finger to his lips to stop the advances. “Because you know that it’s going to bother you until you do.”

 

“True, but there’s no reason I can’t wait until after the game.”

 

“Actually you probably won’t have a lot of time, the afterparty usually goes on for a while.”

 

Jon furrowed his brows. “The what?”

 

“Oh! I keep forgetting you’re new around here. After every home game the senior moms all work together to put a small party to celebrate the event. Win or lose, it’s a big tradition around here.”

 

“What exactly happens at these parties?”

 

“Don’t worry, they don’t get too crazy. Sometimes a couple of the captains give a short speech about the game. The head coach usually talks as well,” Charlotte informed him, with an affectionate pat on the shoulder.

 

“Oh, great,” Jon said, rolling his eyes. “Just what I need, more people staring at me.”

 

“You’ll be fine, babe. Actually, it might be a good way for some of the parents and other people from town to get to know you better.”

 

“Or if we lose it will give them a chance to humiliate me in person,” Jon muttered.

 

“Nobody’s going to do that,” Charlotte said, amused by Jon’s overdramatic comments. “It will be fun and I promise I’ll stand by you the whole time.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Really,” Charlotte promised, absently running her fingers through the tousled, blonde curls she had grown to love. “Once everybody gets a chance to talk to you, they’ll love you. I just know it.”

 

“How do you always know exactly what to say?”  

 

“I don’t know, I guess I’m–”

 

“Perfect,” Jon finished, cutting her off. “Absolutely perfect.”

 

Without waiting for an invitation Jon kissed her again. He moved his hands up and down her back, inviting her closer. Charlotte weaved her fingers through those messy curls, leaning closer to him as well.

 

“Woah, woah, woah,” Charlotte said, pulling away too soon, breathless. “I thought we said we weren’t going to do that anymore today.”

 

“No, you said that,” Jon reminded her. “I seem to have conveniently forgotten.”

 

“Well, I’m here to remind you that there is a game to play in a few hours, and you have a phone call to make.”

 

“That part I forgot about on purpose,” Jon said with a scowl.

 

“I figured. But babe, I wouldn’t be suggesting it if I didn’t think it was for the best. I just want you to be okay, and it’s really obvious to me that you aren’t.”

 

“I was feeling pretty good about ten seconds ago,” Jon muttered, still scowling, which Charlotte found absolutely adorable.

 

“Yes, I know, but I really think you should at least try to call the person you’re fighting with, see if you can make amends. For me?”

 

Jon stared into her gorgeous, captivating blue eyes, and knew that there was really no way he was going to talk himself out of this one. “Okay, I will,” he finally agreed.

 

“Great,” she leaned over and gave him a chaste peck on the cheek, which was a far cry from the heated make-out sessions from earlier. Charlotte hopped off Jon's lap and moved toward the door. “I’ll see you after the game.”

 

“Where are you going,” Jon asked, already missing being close to her.

 

“Marcus is going to pick up my parents and we’re going to grab drinks and appetizers before the game.”

 

“Oh, okay. Gotcha.”

 

“And…they said they are excited to meet you at the afterparty.”

 

“You told your parents about us?”

 

“No, Marcus did. I tend to forget how bad he is at keeping secrets. Anyway, I just thought I’d give you a heads up.”

 

“Great, one more thing to worry about,” Jon said under his breath. He got up out of his chair and looked out the window of his office, wishing desperately he had the ability to superspeed away from everything that was going on that day.

 

“Jon, don’t worry, it’s not an inquisition or anything, they just want to meet you,” Charlotte assured him, once she saw the look of concern on his face.

 

“Yeah, you’re right, sorry.”

 

“Jon? Baby, are you okay?”

 

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

 

“Don’t lie to me,” Charlotte said, crossing the room over to her boyfriend. She reached up and grabbed his face and tilted it downward so he was looking at her. “Jon, just talk to me.”

 

But he didn’t have the words. The truth was, after everything she had told him, plus the game, and his truck AND his fight with Jordan, Jon was feeling pretty overwhelmed. He didn’t know how to express that without telling Charlotte absolutely everything, so instead, he just pulled her in for a hug.

 

Char seemed to sense that was what he needed, so she returned the gesture, and didn’t try to say anything. One of the things that she learned about Jon, he didn’t always show it, but he could actually be really sensitive. And clearly, whatever was going on with this fight, was actually really affecting him.

 

When Jon finally felt comfortable he backed out of the hug, keeping his hands on her waist. “I think you’re right, making a phone call and reaching out to the person I’m fighting with will help me a lot.”

 

“Okay, babe, that sounds good. I’m going to go meet Marcus and my parents, but call or text if you need anything.” Charlotte placed her right hand gently on his cheek, hoping that he understood she would still be there for him, even if he couldn’t talk about what was bothering him just yet.

 

“I will, thanks,” Jon said, leaning down for one more quick kiss. After that, Charlotte grabbed her purse and headed out of the office, closing the door behind her.

 

Jon’s head was racing, there were just so many things going on, and there was no sign of slowing down. But the one thing he did know, Charlotte was right. He wouldn’t feel okay until he made things right with Jordan.

 

So he walked to his desk, grabbed his phone, and went to speed dial, where Jordan was listed. Only hesitating for a second, Jon pressed the call button and held the phone to his ear.

 

After what seemed like an unbearably long time, Jordan answered with a simple, “hello?”

 

“Hey, Jordan…it’s me…it’s Jon.”

Chapter 24: Let's Talk

Summary:

After much encouragement, from his girlfriend and mother, Jon finally reaches out to Jordan. The conversation that follows has some surprising results.

Chapter Text

“Hey, Jordan…it’s me…it’s Jon.”

 

“Of course I know it’s you, dumbass, I have caller ID.”

 

“Oh, right…obviously,” Jon muttered. Clearly this conversation was off to a great start.

 

“So what did you need,” Jordan asked, sounding impatient.

 

“I wanted to talk about the fight we had a few days ago, and apologize for what I said.”

 

“Apologize?” Jordan sounded skeptical. “So are you saying that you didn’t mean anything you said? You know, the part about not needing me, and not wanting me around? You didn’t mean that?”

 

Jon was silent on the other line. Of course he was sorry for everything that happened, and how much it had hurt Jordan, but it didn’t mean that his words were necessarily inaccurate.

 

“That’s what I figured. Nice try. Goodbye Jon.”

 

“Wait,” exclaimed Jon. “Don’t go.”

 

“Why? You’ve made it pretty clear how you felt.”

 

“It’s not like that,” Jon insisted, wishing his brother wasn’t always so stubborn.

 

“Then explain it to me,” Jordan yelled. “Because the way I see it, I’ve tried to do everything I can to be there for you and now that you’ve got the good job and the new girlfriend, you think you can just push me aside.”

 

“Jordan, I’m not pushing you aside!” Now Jon was yelling back. “I’ve felt terrible all week because we’ve been fighting.”

 

“Yeah, right.”

 

“I’m serious! I’ve been completely miserable. You’re my twin brother, dumbass,” Jon stood up from his desk and slammed the playbook shut. “Obviously, I don’t want to fight with you. But that was a really long day and I was super pissed about my truck, and I was on edge because Charlotte had just met Natalie and I didn’t know how to explain that whole situation. And on top of all of that I’m worried about the game and hoping I don’t let everyone down and my temper got the better of me and I’m just really sorry!”

 

Jon hadn’t meant to let all of his emotions out at once, but he had been pretty stressed, so it wasn’t altogether surprising. Jordan, however, did not realize how much his brother had been dealing with, and instantly felt like a jerk for being so harsh.

 

“Woah, dude, relax okay,” Jordan said, his voice switched to a much calmer tone as he realized this whole thing went a lot deeper for Jon. “If you say there’s something to explain, then I’d like to listen.”

 

Jon began pacing around his small office. “Okay, look,” he said, still pretty worked up. “I meant what I said, but I told you, I didn’t mean it in the way that I said it. Obviously, I want you in my life. You know me better than anyone else in the whole world. You’re my twin brother, man, I can’t imagine my life without you.”

 

Jordan couldn’t deny that it felt really good to hear those sentiments come out of Jon’s mouth. After the way things ended between them, Jordan’s imagination had run wild and he convinced himself that maybe Jon wanted to put some real distance between the two of them. But listening to Jon over the phone proved that was not the case.

 

“I appreciate that, man, really,” Jordan said, knowing he needed to make himself clear. “But I want to go back to something else you mentioned, the fact that you did mean what you said?”

 

“Yeah,” Jon said, notably quieter than before. “What about it?”

 

“You keep saying that I misunderstood you. I guess I’m a little confused exactly what I misunderstood about it,” Jordan said, trying to keep his tone even.

 

He didn’t want to fight with Jon anymore, truly, he didn’t. But if they were ever going to move on, Jordan needed to understand what Jon was trying to say.

 

“I…I just…ugghh, it’s just really hard to explain, okay,” Jon said, frustration seeping into his voice. Jordan knew his brother well enough to predict that Jon was running his fingers through his hair. The brunette twin was right of course; he was well aware of his brother’s habits.

 

“Just be honest with me,” Jordan said, almost pleading now, wanting to end the separation between the two of them. “I really do want to understand.”

 

“Okay, look, this isn’t a jealousy thing, I swear it’s not. I’m super happy for you and all the great things you have going on in your life right now.”

 

“But,” prompted Jordan. He had a sinking feeling he knew where this conversation was going.

 

“But I need to have something for myself,” Jon finally blurted out. “My whole life, I just feel like I’ve been defined by someone in this family. Growing up I was one of the Kent twins, or Lois Lane’s son. Then as I got older I became Superman’s son and Superboy’s brother. I wanted to get away and just…find out who Jon Kent was, I guess. I still love all of you guys, obviously. But I didn’t want to just be defined by the amazing things you guys do.”

 

“You wanted to define yourself,” Jordan said quietly, finishing his brother’s thought. 

 

“Exactly,” Jon agreed. “Everyone in the family does all these great things…I guess I wanted to prove I could be great for once.”

 

“But Jon, you are great,” Jordan said, quickly jumping to his brother’s defense. “You’ve always been great, like literally our whole lives.”

 

“No, man, that’s not true at all. I was decent at football as a kid, but all through high school and most of college, I had no idea who I was. But now, I kind of think I’m starting to find my purpose, working with these kids, and it’s a really good feeling.”

 

“Bro, I didn’t realize you were doubting yourself so much.”

 

“Well, you know how much I love talking about my feelings,” Jon answered sarcastically.

 

“Yeah, like negative three percent,” Jordan answered in the same snarky tone.

 

“Exactly,” Jon agreed, unable to hold back a laugh.

 

“Okay then,” Jordan said somberly, getting the discussion back on track. “What do you need from me, how can I help?”

 

“Jordan…”

 

“I know you said you wanna do this alone, but I just can’t let you do that. So I have to know what you need. Do you want me to only text you three times when you don’t answer instead of the usual five times, because I can do that. Or if you say you don’t want to talk about your day, does that mean you actually don’t want me to pester you about your day? And of course, the most important one, does this mean I need to stop following you on your dates with Charlotte?”

 

It was so obvious that Jordan was joking around, but at the same time, it felt really good to just laugh with his brother again. “No way, dude, you have not been following me on my dates.”

 

“How do you know?”

 

“Because I’ve checked.”

 

“Wait really?”

 

“Yes! I’m course I’ve been checking over my shoulder. I know you, and I know who you were raised by, so I think I have every reason to think you might be following me on my dates.”

 

“Okay, that’s a fair point,” Jordan said, keeping up the joking tone. “But what about the other stuff, am I still allowed to keep pestering you until you text me back? Come on, man, I need answers.”

 

“Man, you are such a dork,” Jon said, shaking his head.

 

“Maybe. Are you gonna answer my questions?”

 

“Dude, all I really need is for you to be a little less OCD and overprotective if I don’t respond right away or don’t tell you everything.”

 

 Secretly, Jordan was pleased that Jon hadn’t given him any crazy restrictions or anything. Hopefully that meant their relationship wouldn’t change too much. But after not talking to Jon in more than a week, Jordan felt that some more teasing was in order before he let his brother off the hook. “Come on man, I need details. Like literally, spell out every little thing. You have the time for that, right? It’s not like you have a big game to get ready for or anything.”

 

“Oh yeah, not at all,” Jon replied, casually rolling his eyes. He sat down in his office chair, much more relaxed now. “I should probably reach out to Mom though, let her know that everything’s okay between us now.”

 

“Wait, she called you,” Jordan asked, the surprise evident in his voice.

 

“Yep, I got busted by SuperMom,” Jon said, spinning slowly back and forth in his chair.

 

“Really? Consider yourself lucky, I got busted by SuperMom AND Superman.”

 

“What? No way.”

 

“Yep, when Dad and I were dealing with this bank robbery in New York yesterday, we handled the situation and then we went flying. But as soon as we got away from the other civilians the lecture started.”

 

“Damn, that sucks. What did he say?”

 

“Oh, you know, the usual lecture about family comes first, resolving our fights, oh yeah and that we can always come to him and Mom if we need anything.” Given the sarcastic tone to his brother’s voice, Jon knew there had to have been an eye roll as well.

 

“Sounds about right. When Mom called me she got super mad that I wouldn’t tell her what we were fighting about. I didn’t really think it was any of her business, you know.”

 

“It wasn’t Dad’s either, and yet they still wormed their way into the situation.”

 

“They always will,” Jon said with a dry chuckle. “Listen man, regardless of their interference, I’ve honestly been wanting to call you all week, and I’m really sorry about the fight.”

 

“Me too. I’ve been wanting to call, I just didn’t know what to say,” Jordan said quietly. “It’s always weird when we fight.”

 

“Definitely,” Jon agreed. “So where do we go from here?”

 

“Well, you said that I needed to be better about giving you space and not hovering so much, and I think that makes sense. So, you do your football thing, and maybe in a couple weeks you can come by for family dinner,” Jordan suggested.

 

“Or, maybe, I do my football thing today, I can hang out with Charlotte on Sunday, and tomorrow we can have bros night.”

 

“Wait, you’re putting me before Charlotte?”

 

“I am,” Jon answered confidently. “I’d say we can hang out tonight but I don’t really have any control over when the game is. Plus, it’s the first one, I should probably be there.”

 

“Jon, you don’t have to do this, I can give you space like you wanted. We really don’t have to hang out this weekend–”

 

“Yes, we do,” Jon insisted. “Charlotte knew immediately that something was off after we started fighting, that’s how transparent I was. And even though Mom insisted that I call you, Charlotte was the one that said it should be today, that I wouldn’t be as focused on the game if I didn’t sort this out beforehand.”

 

“So she wanted you focused on football?”

 

“No, Jordan, she could see that I was hurting and she knew there was nothing in her power to fix it; except encouraging me to call you. Trust me, she’s on my side, and if I say that things are better but I need to spend some time with the person I was fighting with, she’d support it.”

 

“I didn’t want to be selfish, but I gotta say, hanging out tomorrow sounds great. It’s hard to explain to other people, but after we fight, it’s like there’s this wall surrounding me and nothing’s okay again until we can meet up and get back in sync,” Jordan said sheepishly.

 

Jon totally understood. It was weird being 23 and feeling incomplete without your brother, but that’s just how they were.

 

They didn’t even have to have a meaningful conversation, or do something particularly memorable.

 

It was more like…a reset. And it was something they both needed.

 

“Yeah, I think it will be good,” Jon said, making a mental note to tell Charlotte of his updated weekend plans. “That is, if I can get through this game.”

 

“You worried,” Jordan asked, noting that Jon had mentioned being concerned about being the games a couple times in their conversation.

 

“Trying not to be,” Jon admitted. “It’s just another game, you know. But I also feel like it’s different. Like it’s the first day of the rest of my life. Damn that sounds stupid,” Jon said, dropping his head into his hands.

 

“No it doesn’t,” Jordan said, immediately coming to his brother’s defense. “It’s a new chapter for you, no one can argue with that. So yeah, it is a big deal.”

 

Jon was silent for a moment as he considered his brother’s words. The game was a big deal. It would set the tone for his future going forward as a coach. But more than that, it was Jon’s chance to have something for himself, which after their previous conversation, Jordan finally realized. 

 

Another thing Jordan had learned over the years, Jon often acted confident, as if he had his life together. And when he appeared to most put together, usually, he was just covering for how insecure and hurt he was.

 

But for Jon to not even be putting on a front, to admit how worried he was, meant that he definitely was more concerned than he was trying to let on. Fortunately, Jordan knew his brother pretty damn well, and knew exactly what he needed.

 

“Jon, yes this is a big deal. But you can do this. You can do anything. Don’t let some overprotective parents or crazy kids attacking your truck make you doubt who you are. You’re about to make history at this school and it all starts with this game. So get out there, and do it.”

Chapter 25: First Game

Summary:

It's finally time for the opening game of the season! But are Jon and his players ready?

Notes:

Well, we're on chapter 25, so I thought it was finally time to get to the first game. I only have a basic football knowledge, so please excuse any inconsistencies with this part.

Thanks so much as always for reading and commenting!

Chapter Text

Jon strolled into the locker room, doing his best to portray the cool, confident coach that the players expected. But in reality, his heart was beating like crazy. Thank goodness no one in the room had super hearing.

 

The first time coach took stock of the room, his eyes immediately rested on the young players. All at once, a flood of memories rushed through Jon’s mind. Looking at those young kids reminded him of all the years where he had been in that same position. Sitting on the faded locker room benches, wearing the freshly washed jersey, stomach in knots, feeling all the nerves and excitement for the game ahead. He had started countless games like that over the years, the memories all one long colorful whirlwind. 

 

Jon had spent years that way, going to camps, practices, and games. For years his life had been all about football. But suddenly, that future he had been working so hard for, came to a grinding stop when they moved to Smallville. Then, Jon’s football career stopped again when he got caught with X- Kryptonite. In fact, after that, Jon didn’t have anything to do with football for a while.

 

Helping out with the college team had been fun, but Jon had always stayed out of the locker room. Jon knew the experience would remind him a little too much of being a player like when he was younger.

 

He had been able to avoid it before when he was just an assistant, but now that he was a head coach, there wasn’t really any way around it. So after all those years away, there he was, standing at the front of the locker room, all eyes on him.

 

The other coaches appeared interested in what he would say, not necessarily on his side, but curious. Most of the players just seemed nervous, it was the first game after all.

 

Which meant that whatever Jon said next would set the tone for the whole game. Just as he opened his mouth to speak, his phone vibrated in the front pocket of his jeans. On instinct, he pulled it out and read the message.

 

The others in the room were really surprised to see Jon chuckling. They needed to prepare for their big opening game and the head coach was standing there, reading a funny text message?

 

Jon registered all the upset faces and the room and used the message as an opportunity to begin his speech.

 

“I just got a text message,” he began, holding up his phone. “It was from my mom.” A few of the kids snickered at that part. “I’d like to read to you what she said to me. ‘Just wishing you luck on your game tonight. I know you’ll do awesome. Oh, and by the way, you mentioned that you’ve been eating takeout all week. You did get a salad one of those times, right? Because it’s good for you. So if you didn’t, eat a salad tonight. Also, buy laundry soap.

 

Given the context of the message and the funny tone Jon was reading it in, many of the players were openly laughing, even the other coaches were smirking a little.

 

“Yeah, I agree with you, it’s funny, right? I’m standing up here, ready to give this important speech before our first game and my mom texts me to remind me to eat salads and buy laundry soap. Awesome. Go team.” He rolled his eyes, eliciting another chuckle out of the players. Now that the opportunity had presented itself, Jon intended to make the best of the situation.

 

“Actually, it’s a good reminder for us all,” Jon said, taking on a slightly more serious tone. “This is a big game, we all know that. But it’s also just one game. There will be lots of games. Don’t let the pressure get to you. As long as you do your best, your parents, families, and friends will all be proud of you. When the game is over and then adrenaline wears off, your families will still be there for you. And if we’re being honest, whether we win or lose, my mom will probably still text me later tonight asking if I got laundry soap and ate a salad today.”

 

After laughing along with his players once again, Jon finished his speech. “Listen guys, there’s no reason to be worried. You all have been working hard in practice and you know the plays. So there’s nothing else to talk or think about, let’s just do it.”

 

One of the captains called the players in for a huddle where they said their team cheer. The guys were totally pumped, jumping up and down, and doing chest bumps: they were ready. The players ran out the locker room door and headed toward the field, the coaches following behind.

 

One of the coaches, Ted Kramer, stayed back and walked up to Jon. “Hey, Kent.” Jon turned back. “I wasn’t sure what you were going to say in your speech, but I think it actually worked.”

 

Jon smiled. “Thanks. I wish I could take all the credit, but my mom really did text me.” Jon held up his phone as evidence.

 

Ted laughed and gave Jon a friendly slap on the back. “You better tell your mom thanks then.”

 

“Believe me, I will.”

 

“So, is she gonna come to any games?”

 

Jon’s smile faltered a little. “No, probably not. My parents live several hours away and I don’t think they can make the trip.” No need to add that Clark could fly the two of them there in a matter of seconds if he really wanted to.

 

“Oh, I see,” Ted said, trying to hide his surprise. He had always figured a guy like Jon would have a huge support system at home. “Well, I’ll see you out there.”

 

"Yep, I’ll be out in just a couple of seconds.”

 

Ted Kramer disappeared through the side locker room door, leaving Jon alone.

 

He sat down on one of the locker room benches and dropped his head into his hands.

 

Was he really about to do this? Did he really think he could be a successful high school football coach?

 

Jon’s phone buzzed again. He looked at it, and couldn’t hold back a smile. 

 

Jordan had texted him.

 

‘Hey bro, not sure what time your game starts but I’m heading out on patrol and I just thought I would check in before we both get super busy.

 

You guys are going to do awesome tonight! Don’t let any of those idiots get to you, they don’t know what they’re talking about.

 

You can do this.’

 

Even though they had a great conversation earlier, Jordan didn’t have to reach out again; but he did. Friday nights were usually pretty busy for Superboy and his mind would probably be elsewhere most of the time. Nevertheless, Jordan had still taken the time to text Jon, because he remembered how nervous his brother had been.

 

Grateful as always for Jordan’s sensitivity,  Jon poised his fingers over the buttons to respond, when he received another message.

 

‘And that’s the Superboy guarantee.’

 

Jon laughed. He needed that. 

 

He also needed to get out on the field, but damn, he needed that.

 

In lieu of sending a text in response, Jon just spoke his message out loud, knowing Jordan could hear him. “Thanks bro, I really appreciate it. Have a safe patrol tonight.”

 

Sometimes it felt a little weird just talking into thin air, but Jon had gotten used to it over the years. Plus, it was kind of like a secret way of communicating that felt special and personal for the two of them.

 

Well, there was no use avoiding it any longer, the game was going to start soon, which meant the Richardson Lions needed their head coach.

 

Jon grabbed his ball cap, a standard for coaches, and finally left the locker room. The minute he got outside and headed toward the field, his senses became overwhelmed with the whole experience of Friday night football.

 

There was the initial view that he got as he walked onto the field. The stands were packed full of enthusiastic supporters. Immediately, Jon was drawn to the fans donned in the royal blue attire; Richardson High School colors. Nearby were the fans of the other team, the Sutton Bulldogs, adorned in a startling green. The Bulldogs were known to be a good team, but they had a lot of seniors graduate the year before, so their future was unpredictable as well.

 

Parents and family friends made up a large portion of the fan section, but there was plenty of support from the student body as well. Students of all ages had painted their faces, made signs, and were cheering wildly.

 

There were more noises too, like the brassy sounds of the pep band, the coordinating chants of the cheer team, and even the screams of little kids running around; since small town football games were a family affair.

 

As he finally stepped on the field, Jon couldn’t help but be completely enveloped in every aspect of the evening.

 

Even though it was about twenty minutes later, for Jon it felt like only a few seconds had passed, and suddenly, his players were taking the field. Everything up until that moment had been preparation for what was about to happen.

 

While the players had been doing warmups, Jon had glanced back in the stands. Most of the moms were cheering wildly for their sons and chatting amiably. But many of the dads had been staring him down, as if they were doubting him, waiting for the inevitable failure of the new coach.

 

Jon was determined to prove them wrong.

 

The Bulldogs were starting with the ball. All the players lined up in their starting positions. The quarterback threw the ball, which was no surprise considering they were  known to be a passing team, but the player misjudged the distance and the ball was caught by the Lions!

 

Working in unison, the Lions kept the Bulldogs away from the player who had caught the ball, Chase Summers. 

 

And boy could the kid run!

 

Within seconds Chase had run all the way into the end zone scoring a touchdown for the Richardson Lions in the first play of the game.

 

The stands erupted in cheers from fans, coaches, players, and everyone in between. As the crowd was going insane about the major play that had just happened, Jon knew he should feel elated, but a weird feeling washed over him.

 

He almost felt incomplete, or like something bad was about to happen. Suddenly, Jon felt an overwhelming urge to call Jordan.

 

But that was ridiculous, he had talked to his brother for a while that afternoon AND Jordan had texted him before the game. Surely, he was fine.

 

Maybe he could still check in with him anyway, just to be safe.

 

Jon reached into his pocket to pull out his phone, but before he could text his brother, Ted Kramer rushed over to him.

 

“Jon, can you believe it? What a way to start the game?”

 

“You can’t have a much better opening play than that,” Jon agreed, sliding his phone back in his pocket. “Let’s call the guys in for a huddle and keep the momentum going.”

 

“You got it coach,” Ted said, giving Jon a look of respect. It was a look Jon hadn’t gotten before from any of the other coaches. Jon didn’t even do anything. Chase and the other players had done all the work. But somehow, having a great opening play seemed to show the coaches and the fans that good things on the field could happen under Coach Kent, leaving everyone more excited than ever.

 

The first quarter carried on that way, with the Lions dominating the field. They easily scored three touchdowns, made all their field goals and kept the Bulldogs from scoring any points.

 

As they went into the second quarter, the Lions struggled a bit. They made a couple of mistakes and the opposing team scored two touchdowns. The Bulldogs made their field goals as well. It was turning into a real game and the Lions were getting nervous. After the third mistake, Jon called a timeout and gestured for the players to come in for a huddle.

 

He took in the worried, concerned looks of the players. “Alright men, what's going on?”

 

“We can’t get past ‘em,” said Chase Summers, their quarterback, and one of the leading scorers in the game. “Everywhere I try to run they are ready for me and I can’t get through.” Chase was also a senior and had been in tough spots like that before. 

 

Initially, he wasn’t sure what to think of Coach Kent, but over the last few practices and in the first two quarters of the game, Chase had really grown to respect the new coach. The guy knew what he was talking about and really cared about the players. Chase really didn’t want to let him down.

 

Jon nodded and looked at his players. He wasn’t giving up just because they’d hit a few bumps in the road.

 

The obvious choice was to pass the ball instead of running it, which meant utilizing Devin Lassiter, the wide receiver. The problem was that Devin had taken a hard hit early in the game. Jon had pulled him out to give him a few minutes to recover, knowing there was no point in running Devin ragged in the first few minutes of the game.

 

They needed to play smart.

 

With Devin resting on the sidelines, he had no choice but to put in one of Carson’s buddies, troublemaker Jay Smith, as the replacement. If Jon learned anything from that switch it was that he had made the right call by taking Jay out of the starting position in the first place. The kid missed several passes and was unsure of the plays most of the time. 

 

Temporarily without a wide receiver, they had been forced to try and run the ball, which as Chase had said was not going well. They were running low on options and Jon knew what he needed to do.

 

“Then we pass.” He turned back to Devin. “Hey Lassiter, you holding up alright?”

 

“Yes, Coach. Definitely.” Devin stood up and joined the huddle.

 

“Good man,” said Jon, patting Devin on the back. “Alright, Smith is out, Lassiter is in. We need to make a pass.”

 

“Wait, Coach, if we need to pass just get me the ball,” Jay Smith said, immediately protesting the new plan.

 

“You haven’t caught one pass in this entire game. We’re going with Lassiter.”

 

“But Coach, that’s not fair–”

 

“Smith! On the sidelines, now,” Jon stated, letting the players know he wasn’t messing around. Jay stepped away, but he definitely wasn’t happy about it. Jon couldn’t be bothered to deal with the teen’s tantrum.

 

He turned back to the players who would be going into the game and explained what play he wanted them to do.

 

Seconds later, the Lions were back out on the field, ready to try something different. Chase got the ball. A rejuvenated Devin Lassiter took off running. Chase threw the ball. It soared through the air…right into Devin’s hands!

 

He was tackled shortly after, but the Lion’s still got the first down. Mission accomplished. Now that they were much closer to the endzone, it gave Chase the perfect opportunity to score a touchdown, which he did.

 

The Lions ended the second quarter much stronger than he began it, showing everyone that the young team could fight through challenges.

 

As they were walking toward the locker room for half time, all the players were in good spirits. They still had half of the game left to play, but things were looking good. Devin came up to Jon, excitement filling his face. “Did you see it, Coach? Did you see the pass I caught?”

 

“I saw it, Devin. I told you that you could do this,” Jon said, patting Devin on the back. “But let’s not get too comfortable, alright, we still have a whole other half to play.”

 

“Yes, Coach,” Devin answered, before running off to join his friends.

 

The pep talk in the locker room during halftime was easy. The boys were motivated, no longer nervous, and ready to finish the game; and they did.

 

There were a few stumbles along the way, which was natural because it was only the first game of the season. Nevertheless, there were some great plays in the second half with the Lions scoring more points and keeping the Bulldogs away from their endzone.

 

So when the timer ran down at the end of the fourth quarter, the final score was 42-21. The Lions had won their opening game, proving that despite switching out some seniors and having a young coach, the Richardson Lions were in for a memorable season.

Chapter 26: Afterwards

Summary:

Celebrating the Lions first win is a new experience for Jon, considering that he is the head coach and all. But while he is basking in the glory of his big win, there are some unexpected surprises along the way.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

When Charlotte had said that the football parents threw an afterparty, Jon should have realized that in a small town, there was a real emphasis on party.

 

Jon walked in the large hall. He had been told earlier that the building had a variety of uses: school dances, 4-H, exhibits for the county fair, the occasional wedding, and of course, football after parties.

 

The moms of the players had filled the space with so many decorations that it was almost hard to know where to look first. There were streamers and balloons hanging across the ceiling, really giving the room a festive feel. They had also set up several rows of tables covered in royal blue tablecloths with gold confetti sprinkled on top; royal blue and gold were the school colors for Richardson High School. In addition, there were two tables full of hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, salads, cookies and several types of soda pop.

 

Many of the players and family members were already enjoying themselves when Jon had walked in, including Charlotte and her family. She noticed him immediately. Her eyes lit up and she rushed over to him. “Jon! Congratulations babe.” Oblivious to the stares they were getting from the curious community members, Charlotte threw her arms around Jon and kissed him on the cheek. Jon wasn’t normally one for PDA, but it had been a big night for him and he was happy to share it with Charlotte.

 

She pulled back and Jon couldn’t help but be enamored with the pure joy on her face. She wasn’t just acting like she cared about the game, she genuinely did, which meant the world to Jon. “Thanks, Char. I knew the guys could do it, but part of me is still a little bit in shock, I guess.”

 

“They did great! I mean the touchdown in the opening play and the way you guys managed to keep the Bulldogs from scoring in the whole first quarter, there were so many great moments.”

 

It was so easy to get sucked into Charlotte’s excitement when she got like this, so Jon let himself be pulled along for the ride. “Well, we have plenty of work to do in the coming weeks at the practices, but yes, this was a big win for us. And I can’t tell you how happy I am that you are here to celebrate with me.” Jon took Charlotte’s hand and gave it the softest kiss.

 

Even though they were in public, Charlotte knew Jon well enough to know where his brain was going. But she also understood the standard expectations of small town football afterparties. So Charlotte did the only thing that would work. Distraction. “I wanted to ask you, did you ever make that phone call, you know, to the person you were fighting with?”

 

Jon knew the distraction was intentional, but that was okay, because the conversation had gone well he was more than happy to talk about it, especially with Charlotte.

 

“Actually, yeah I did. The talk went really well. We were both sorry for the argument and that we had waited so long to make contact.”

 

“Aw, that’s great babe,” Charlotte said, squeezing Jon’s hand. “I’m really happy for you. I know that’s what you needed.”

 

“I really did,” Jon agreed, appreciating that Charlotte wasn't pressuring him for more details about who he had been fighting with or why. “Hey if you don’t mind, really quick, could I–”

 

Revisiting his conversation with Jordan reminded Jon that he needed to call his brother. He had meant to call or text during half time, then after the game, and again as he was walking up to the building, but when you are the head football coach that just led his team to victory in the opening game, it turns out a lot of people want to talk to you. So, Jon hadn’t had a chance to reach out to Jordan yet.

 

Charlotte probably would have let him, but then a big, lumbering man walked over and interrupted them. “Well, what do we have here?”

 

“Hi, Daddy,” Charlotte said, turning to her father and mother, who were moving towards them. She subtly put a little space between Jon and herself, not wanting her parents to think too badly of him before they even had a chance to get to know him. “This is Jon Kent, my boyfriend. Jon, these are my parents, Nathan and Sarah Reynolds.”

 

“Pleasure to meet you, sir. Pleasure to meet you ma’am,” Jon said, addressing Charlotte’s parents respectfully, then shaking both of their hands.

 

Nathan and Sarah seemed a bit surprised that a young high school football coach would be so formal and instantly assumed that it was just an act to try to win them over.

 

It wasn’t of course, since Jon had been raised to be respectful, but they didn’t know that.

 

At the same time, Jon was trying to develop an opinion of Charlotte’s parents. Nathan was a large, imposing figure, and it was clear that he was purposefully trying to use his size as an intimidation factor. It didn’t work on Jon of course, given the various imposing members of his own family. Not only that, over the years, Jon had been in many terrifying situations because of his family.

 

Jon respected Nathan Reynolds and had no desire to be on opposing sides as the man, but he wouldn’t be intimidated or pressured by someone who didn’t know him or anything about the facts of his life.

 

Sarah seemed nice enough, but she was looking at Jon suspiciously, and possibly making judgements. Regardless, Jon could see where Charlotte got her good looks. She strongly resembled her mother, who was a bit older than Lois, if Jon were to guess.

 

“First game out of the way,” Nathan said, starting with a more neutral topic. “How do you feel about that?”

 

“Relieved, honestly,” Jon answered, knowing for a fact that Charlotte’s parents would be listening very closely to everything he said. “There was so much pressure because it was the first game. Now that it’s over I’m hoping we can just relax and settle in.”

 

"What's the matter, can't handle the pressure," Nathan asked, not going easy on the young coach.

 

“I can handle the pressure,” Jon insisted. “But there’s a difference between pressure and small-town gossip, which we’ve been facing a lot of.”

 

"Doesn’t matter, both are good for you, they give you a thick skin.”

 

“Daddy, be nice,” Charlotte lectured gently. “Jon is a great coach and is doing a great job with those boys.”

 

“Well, if he’s so great, then he wouldn’t mind telling us a little more about himself,” Sarah asked, proving she was just as inquisitive as her husband.

 

Jon pasted a fake smile on his face, but had no intention of answering the question. Because of who his family was, Jon had become a very private person and would not spill all his secrets just to satisfy the curiosity of Nathan and Sarah Reynolds.

 

Luckily, he was saved once again by Kyle Sawyer, the principal. The man was walking toward Jon, guiding a couple of men in suits. Kyle was also gesturing towards Jon to come over, which he thought was a perfect excuse to get out of talking about himself. “Actually, it looks like I’m being summoned. It was nice to meet you both, we can catch up later.” Jon gave them his trademark boyish grin and smoothly walked towards the principal and his guests.

 

“Jon Kent,” Kyle said jovially as the young coach approached. “I’d like you to meet some members of the school board…”

 

For the next few minutes Jon was in a daze as he met several different members of the school board, the county treasurer and even the mayor. It seemed like anyone with any level of status wanted to meet the young coach who had just led the Lions to victory and get his opinion on the rest of the season and also local politics. 

 

Jon did his best to address all their questions, even though he didn’t have a lot of answers for most of the things they asked. He was a pro at lying after all. So he pasted a smile on his face and acted like everything they were saying really mattered to him.

 

It wasn’t the most fun hour of his life, but Jon knew it was an important small town ritual. He was the newcomer in the town of Richardson, and as a football coach, meaning that everyone was anxious for a chance to talk to him.

 

Even though Jon felt a bit like a zoo animal on display during the whole process, the one thing that made it tolerable was that Charlotte was right by his side. The moment he was introduced to the first board members, Char had walked up and affectionately placed her arm around his waist. Ironically, most of the people seemed to approve or were almost happier that Charlotte was there with him, as if being with her improved him somehow.

 

Small towns were weird.

 

But at the same time, Charlotte was very helpful and made the process easier. After all, she had lived in Richardson most of her life and was easily able to smooth over any rough patches when Jon wasn’t sure what was going on. But she never made him feel bad or made him look dumb if he didn’t have a good answer to a question.

 

Instead she said things like, “Well, Jon hasn’t been here very long and hasn’t had a chance to meet Mr. Jenkins, but we hope to have dinner with him and his lovely wife soon,” or “No, we hadn’t heard that Sylvia had her baby. Congratulations, we will definitely send over a gift,” and the ever popular, “Yes, the weather has been nice this fall so far, unlike last year.”

 

On and on it went, meeting people in the community, parents of players, many of whom all seemed to know Charlotte. It was almost like he was in politics and Charlotte was the first lady by his side, which was a little weird to think about, considering that they had only been dating for a few weeks.

 

But at the same time, he was beyond grateful that Charlotte was by his side. Meeting so many new people was a little overwhelming, especially when those same people asked for his opinion on local matters that he knew nothing about. 

 

And it wasn’t just the way she knew how to answer the questions, it was the way she acted with Jon that was especially memorable. Charlotte constantly kept her arm around his waist or linked through his arm. No matter what, she was always touching him, affectionately rubbing his arm, squeezing his hand, or giving him a quick peck on the cheek when she thought no one was looking. It was as if she was subtly letting him know that she knew how crazy the situation was, but that she intended to be right there the whole time. 

 

Jon didn’t have the words to say how grateful he was for her presence and how well she seemed to understand him. Whenever he could catch a spare moment, he made sure to look into her eyes and allow himself to get lost for a moment. He would also brush back her hair or kiss her forehead if he could.

 

The afterparty may have been a traditional small town ritual, one that he would have to get used to. But Jon knew for a fact that there was no way he would have made it through that night without Charlotte by his side. She had become his rock.

 

As the party went on, Jon kept having this nagging feeling that he should text Jordan. It was stupid, because if anything had happened someone would have called him, and he hadn’t heard from anyone in his family. Jon tried to remind himself that he was probably just being paranoid because of the weird situation he was in.

 

Finally, he and Charlotte got a moment alone and managed to snag a couple of cupcakes from the dessert table.

 

“Ooh, Mrs. Ramirez made these cupcakes. I can tell,” Charlotte said, explaining between bites. “She has the bakery downtown and she makes the best cupcakes. She doesn’t even have a kid on the team but is always willing to donate to the afterparties because she is a big football fan.”

 

“Wow, these are really good cupcakes,” Jon said, making quick work of the one he had snagged.

 

“Yeah, I can tell by the way you practically ate that one whole,” Charlotte said, cheekily.

 

“Oh yeah,” Jon asked, a knowing smirk crossing his face. “Well, I don’t think you’re one to talk, because you have some frosting on your face.”

 

“What? No I don’t.”

 

Jon placed his hand over hers and gently smushed the blue frosting of the cupcake onto her face. “Babe! Oh my gosh, I can’t believe you did that… now give me a kiss.”

 

“What? No way,” Jon said, scooting around the table.

 

“Come on Jon, you know you want to,” she said, continuing to tease him.

 

“No, I really don’t,” Jon said, running out into the hall.

 

Charlotte giggled and chased after him. But the hall had run into was pretty dim and she couldn’t see where he had gone. “Jon…where are you? I’m gonna find you and then I’m gonna get you back for this…Jon…where–Ahh!”

 

Jon had snuck up behind her and planted a big kiss on her cheek, the one not covered in blue frosting, then quickly danced out of the way. “Okay, I gave you a kiss.”

 

“That’s totally not fair, you cheated.”

 

“Maybe,” Jon agreed with a shrug, “but I don’t think any rules were decided. I’ll make it up to you. Stay right there.” Jon rushed off and was back a few seconds later with some paper towels.

 

“Thanks,” said Charlotte, extending her hand. But instead of giving her the paper towels, Jon took a few steps closer and began cleaning her face himself. The moment was intimate and especially sweet after the fun they just had, so Charlotte let herself enjoy it.

 

He didn’t speak or make any funny faces. Instead, with gentle precision, Jon wiped off all the blue frosting on her face, first with a damp paper towel, then a dry one. After he had finished, Jon tossed them into the large trash can in the corner and turned back to his girlfriend.

 

“Am I forgiven now?”

 

Instead of answering, Charlotte crushed her lips to his. Jon responded immediately, as he always did, kissing her back with as much passion as she gave him. After a few moments Jon stepped back, breathing heavily.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“I don’t think much more of that would be appropriate for a community function like this,” Jon answered, trying to regain his balance.

 

“That’s fair,” Charlotte said, smoothing down her hair. She hated that he was right.

 

“So can I assume that I am in fact forgiven,” Jon asked when his heartbeat had slowed down.

 

“Yes, of course you are,” Char answered, giving him a chaste peck on the cheek. “We should probably go back out there before people start talking.

 

“Yeah. Hey, before we do, I need to tell you something,” said Jon, taking her hand.

 

“Sure, babe. What is it?”

 

“Thanks for tonight. The way you’ve stood by me, helped when I didn’t have a clue and even just kept me calm…I can’t thank you enough.”

 

“Aw, Jon.” Charlotte squeezed his hand then moved her arms around his waist. “There’s nowhere else I would rather be. Besides, it’s not like I was going to leave you to the wolves.”

 

Jon chuckled softly. “I appreciate that. Seriously, Char, I don’t know that I could do this without you.” He softly rubbed her cheek and let his forehead fall against hers. “I don’t wanna do any of this without you. Charlotte…I love you.”

 

She gasped and pulled away, her eyes wide, mouth open in surprise.

 

“I’m sorry, should I not have said that. I can–”

 

“No, Jon. It’s okay. I’m just surprised because…I love you too. I just never expected that you would say it back to me so soon,” Charlotte answered shyly, moving closer to him again.

 

“Really? You love me?” His heart was full, so full at the thought of being in love with this incredible woman.

 

“I do, Jon. I love you.”

 

At that moment it didn’t matter if they were in a dim hallway at a community center or that there were two hundred people in the next room, Jon and Charlotte had just exchanged their first I love you’s, of course he was going to kiss her.

 

A few minutes later when they made their way back to the main room, Char noticed a familiar face. “Hey, is that Natalie,” she asked, pointing across the room near the entrance. Jon looked up and noticed that his sister had indeed showed up to the afterparty. He started to smile, appreciative that she would make the trip and support him like this, but then Jon noticed the look on her face, almost as if she had been crying.

 

And if Natalie was crying, that meant Jon needed to go to her immediately. But Nat was tough as nails. If she had been crying, there was a pretty good chance that whatever the reason was, Jon wouldn’t want anyone in the room, especially Charlotte, knowing what was going on. Despite the special moment they had just shared, she wasn’t ready to know all the realities of his life just yet.

 

But being the observant person she was, Charlotte also noted that something appeared to be wrong with Natalie. “Babe, look, has she been crying?”

 

“I’m not sure,” Jon answered, he fumbled for words, trying to figure a way to keep her out of it. But as usual, Charlotte was already two steps ahead.

 

“I should go talk to her and see–”

 

“Actually, wait,” Jon said, gently taking Charlotte’s hands. “I’m not sure what this is about. Just let me check on her first. That might be better.”

 

“But we’ve been getting to know each other. Several times this week when she called to talk to you about your truck, you put the phone on speaker and I talked with her.”

 

That was true, Jon considered thoughtfully. Even though he wasn’t comfortable letting Charlotte know too much about his personal life, he had needed to give her some shred of information to show that he trusted her.

 

So talking with Natalie a few times over the past few days seemed like a nice compromise, especially after they had carefully gone over a list of topics that were safe to talk about, like football, the body shop, and the work she was doing on Jon’s truck. He had also allowed her to bring up some of his funny habits, knowing that it would prove how well she actually knew Jon.

 

But things like their family, the way they grew up, how exactly they were related, anything like that had been completely off limits. Natalie didn’t like lying to the other girl, but knew that it was important to Jon, so he had agreed.

 

Jon made it very clear that he was just being cautious. His life was pretty complicated after all and it would be a lot to dump on a person all at once, which is why having a few, innocent, guided conversations with Natalie seemed like a good place to start.

 

“Yeah, that’s true, you have gotten to know her, and I’m happy about that, really. But can you give me just like thirty seconds to see what’s going on?”

 

“Alright,” Charlotte agreed. She could see that Jon had been immediately concerned about Nat and that it was important for him to handle the situation.

 

Jon thanked her and gave Charlotte a quick peck on the cheek before going to talk with Natalie. As he approached her, Jon could see that there were in fact tear stains running down her face. But more alarming, she seemed beat up, as if she was in a fight.

 

“Nat? Hey are you okay? What happened,” Jon asked, immediately worried what the circumstances were that would have caused Natalie to be so beat up.

 

“Me? I’m fine. This is nothing,” she answered, immediately brushing off Jon’s concerns.

 

Jon doubted that, but decided to let it go for the time being, until he figured out what had happened. “Alright, well what’s been going on? You look like you’ve been crying? Did something happen?”

 

For the first time, Natalie met Jon’s eyes and he could see the raw pain and almost anguish that she had been experiencing. Immediately, he knew that something serious had happened.

 

“Nat, what is it, you can tell me,” Jon said, doing his best to exude compassion and confidence.

 

But all his bravado went out the window as soon as Natalie answered the question. “It’s Jordan. He got hurt…and it’s bad, about as bad as it gets.”

Notes:

Yes, some of you have been suspecting for a little while now that Jordan may be hurt, don't worry, we will jump right into that in the next chapter.

Question for you all: Jordan's girlfriend is going to make an appearance in the next chapter, do we want it to be Sarah, or another original character??

Update coming soon! Thank you all so much for reading, commenting, and following along with this story.

Chapter 27: The Truth About Jordan

Summary:

Natalie must explain what has happened to Jordan and when Jon finally learns the truth, he has a lot of trouble accepting it.

Notes:

Sorry, no Jordan in this one! I thought it was more important to give some more background to the situation first. So you will learn what happened to him, and in the next chapter we will check in to see how he's doing.

Thanks so much for all your wonderful comments!

Chapter Text

“It’s Jordan. He got hurt…and it’s bad, about as bad as it gets…”

 

Natalie’s words rang through Jon’s mind like an echo that he couldn’t quite process. His heartbeat had begun to speed up and he knew all the color left his cheeks.

 

“What do you mean…hurt,” Jon asked in a ragged whisper, unable to talk any louder.

 

As Natalie answered his question, it only took one word for Jon’s world to completely collapse around him.

 

“Kryptonite.”

 

Jon’s knees buckled. Luckily Nat was there to help steady him, because at that moment, Jon had gone numb and couldn’t do much of anything.

 

Not Kryptonite…

 

They had been so lucky over the past several years to avoid the dangerous mineral. Thanks to efforts from their grandfather and his years at the DOD, they had nearly eradicated the substance and made it almost impossible to obtain.

 

If Jordan or their dad got banged up anymore it was usually from explosions or being in a bad fight. And if that was the case, they could always bounce back quickly once they spent some time in the sun.

 

But Kryptonite…that stuff was nasty, especially considering that Clark and Jordan hadn’t been around it as much so they weren’t as immune to it as they used to be. And depending on the form of attack, Kryptonite was something that could kill, and kill quickly.

 

Jon was struggling to breathe. 

 

He knew it. He had definitely had a feeling that something was wrong earlier, but he hadn’t done anything. It would be his fault if Jordan…if Jordan…

 

Jordan…oh God…if Jordan…

 

“Hey, babe, what happened, are you okay,” Charlotte asked. She couldn’t hear what Jon and Natalie had talked about, but whatever it was, it must have been bad because Jon’s face had gone incredibly pale and he was swaying as if he was about to lose his balance.

 

Natalie was there, thankfully, but there was no way Charlotte was just going to stand by. “Here Jon, why don’t you sit down,” Char said, guiding Jon to a folding chair at one of the tables.

 

Still in a daze, Jon let the girls help him. His brain was moving a thousand miles an hour as he tried to process what Natalie had just told him. He could barely form sentences, but there was only thought on his mind. “We can’t stay here…gotta help…gotta go…needs my help.”

 

At that moment the only thing he could think about was a phrase that kept repeating in his head, as if on a loop: Jordan…I need to get to Jordan…

 

“No, babe,” Charlotte said. She knelt down in front of him and gently took his hand. “I’m not sure what’s going on, but I think you need to sit for a moment.”

 

“Gotta help…”

 

“Hey, Charlotte, I’ll stay with him, can you please go grab some water?” Natalie was kneeling on the other side of Jon, one hand around his back, the other placed firmly on his shoulders.

 

“Of course, I’ll be right back,” Charlotte said, before she rushed off.

 

Natalie turned to her brother and lightly tapped his cheek, trying to get his attention. “Jon, focus. Can you hear me?”

 

He turned toward his sister’s voice but couldn’t form words.

 

Jordan…need to get to Jordan….

 

“Jon, listen to me. Jordan’s hurt, okay, we have to go see him, and we need to go now.” Natalie spared a quick glance around the room and saw that some of the other people had taken notice of Jon’s strange behavior. She needed to get Jon out of there before he did something she couldn’t fix, like mention his brother and kryptonite in the same sentence.

 

Natalie needed to act fast.

 

“Alright, I found a bottle of water– wait, what are you doing, shouldn’t he be sitting down,” questioned Charlotte when she saw Natalie helping Jon stand up.

 

“Actually, I don’t think Jon’s feeling well, I need to take him home,” Nat said, trying to find a good excuse to get Jon out of there.

 

“Then let me come with you, I can help.” 

 

“No! I mean, no thanks,” Natalie said, hastily trying to cover up her awkward outburst. “I think Jon would prefer it if I took him home.”

 

“But he was feeling just fine before, and besides I’m his girlfriend, I can take care of him too,” Charlotte insisted.

 

“I really don’t think Jon would want you to see him sick,” Natalie countered. She was trying to be nice, but Charlotte was very persistent.

 

“Actually I think–”

 

“Charlotte! Please can you just trust me on this. I’ll have Jon call you as soon as he can, or I’ll get your number from his phone and call you. Either way, I’ll reach out as soon as I know something. I promise.”

 

“What’s going on over here, guys? Kent, are you okay? We were just going to have you make a speech about the game,” said Kyle, the school principal.

 

“Gotta go…gotta help Jo-,” Jon mumbled, shaking his head

 

“I’m sorry, he’s not feeling well,” Nat said, quickly cutting Jon off. “I’m going to take him home. Sorry,” Natalie said, a little more forceful than she probably should have. Then, before anyone else could try and interrupt them again, Natalie slung one of Jon’s arms over her shoulders and quickly escorted him out of the room.

 

Watching them leave, Sarah, Charlotte’s mother, walked up to her daughter. “What was that all about?”

 

“I’m not sure. That was Jon’s sister. She says he’s sick and is taking him home.”

 

“That's his sister,” Sarah Reynolds questioned, obviously in disbelief, noticing the distinct physical differences between the two.

 

“I know they don’t look anything alike, but Jon swears up and down that they are siblings; I assume it’s complicated.”

 

“They seem pretty close,” Sarah observed, a slightly judgmental tone in her voice.

 

“Oh they are,” Charlotte agreed. “I’ve gotten to talk to her a few times and I can definitely tell that they have a strong relationship. But they always act like brother and sister. She says she’ll call me when she knows something.”

 

“The whole thing still seems a little weird if you ask me,” Sarah Reynolds said.

 

“Yeah, it does,” Charlotte agreed. “Honestly, I’m just worried about Jon, he didn’t look too good.” She ran a shaky hand through her hair. “I just hope he’s okay and that I hear something soon,” Charlotte said, wistfully looking towards the door that Jon and Natalie had left from.

 

Sarah looked at her daughter in a new light. “You really care about him don’t you?”

 

Charlotte turned back to her mom, almost defiantly, “Yeah, I do. More than you know. He’s a good guy, Mom. I promise.”

 

Sarah wasn’t too sure about Jon Kent yet. He seemed a little too smooth and too comfortable with Charlotte for only knowing her a couple weeks.

 

In addition, Sarah was a pro at reading people, and the one thing she could see for sure about Jon Kent, was that he was a very guarded young man. The guy had secrets, which was a bit of a red flag for any parent, and time would tell just how big those secrets were.

 

Bur, Sarah grudgingly admitted to herself, there was nothing fake about the way Jon looked at Charlotte. The adoration in his eyes was obvious and a point in his favor. It wasn’t clear yet if Jon was a good fit for Charlotte. There was nothing to do but wait and watch. In the meantime, Sarah was going to support her daughter and be there in the coming weeks ahead.

 

Sarah Reynolds put a comforting arm around her daughter’s shoulders. “I believe you, Char. And don’t worry, I’m sure Jon will be fine.”

 

“I hope so,” Charlotte said, still unable to tear her eyes away from the door.

 

~~~~~

 

As soon as Natalie got Jon out of the building, she pulled him into a dark corner where she pushed a button that quickly covered her in her famous iron suit. Jon was still in a bit of a daze, so she held onto him tightly and flew away, knowing they had to get out of there and somewhere with less witnesses.

 

Wanting to take her brother to a safe place, Natalie headed directly for the Kent farmhouse. No one was there of course, but Natalie hoped the familiarity would be beneficial as she tried to help him through the rough time ahead. She flew right up to the house, then pushed the same button as before that would quickly remove her suit, knowing Jon needed to see his sister in that moment and not a hero.

 

“Hey, Jon, how are you holding up?”

 

“Nat?” The look of confusion was evident on his face, but thankfully, the shock seemed to be wearing off. “What are we doing at home?”

 

“I brought you here, I thought this would be a good place to talk.”

 

“But Charlotte, the party, I’m…I’m supposed to be there, we have to go back!”

 

“Jon, Jon, you have to relax, okay,” Natalie said, gently taking his hands. “I told them you were sick and that you had to leave. There’s more important things to worry about.”

 

“But I have to–”

 

“Jonathan! Don’t you remember what I said about Jordan?”

 

“Yeah, you said that he…oh God,” Jon dropped his head into his hands as the awful news that Nat had told him earlier came flooding back.

 

“Come on bro, let’s sit for a minute.” Natalie guided Jon until he was sitting on the porch steps. The shock had been replaced with pain as Jon remembered what Natalie had told him.

 

“No, we can’t sit, I have to go to him, I have to–”

 

“I’ll take you to him, okay, I will. But let’s sit for a minute. Just breathe. He’s safe now. He’s at the doc’s house.”

 

“Doc is taking care of him?”

 

“Yes, he’s giving Jordan the best care possible. He would never do anything less, you know that.” She was rubbing Jon’s arm, hoping to lessen the blow of the news she had to deliver next. “But before we go see Jordan, there’s some things you need to know.” Natalie had softened her voice as well. The tone in Nat’s voice let him know that there was no way he actually wanted to learn what she had to say, since presumably it wasn’t good, but she was also right, Jon needed to understand what they were walking into.

 

He let out a deep sigh. “Okay, what happened?”

 

“It seemed to be an ordinary bank robbery, so Jordan went in alone, figuring that he could easily handle it, but the whole thing was actually a set up.”

 

“A set up? What do you mean,” Jon asked, the alarm evident in his voice.

 

“The guys weren’t there to rob a bank. They wanted information.”

 

“What kind of information?”

 

“Classified DOD secrets. They figured that Superboy would be easier to break than Superman.”

 

“What does that mean,” Jon said, his heart beginning to beat faster, his voice barely above a whisper.

 

“A group of specially trained terrorists trapped and surrounded Jordan and demanded he give up some intel they were after. Apparently, he refused and was going to handle them, but they had kryptonite, a lot of it.”

 

“Well then…why didn’t he call for help?”

 

“They put duct tape over his mouth and placed so much kryptonite around him that he wasn’t strong enough to move it,” Natalie answered softly, understanding the severity of the story she was recounting.

 

“Did they…did they torture him,” Jon asked, already knowing the answer.

 

Natalie took her brother’s hand and squeezed it gently. “They did, using kryptonite. When Jordan hadn’t returned from the bank robbery Clark came to investigate and of course was blindsided by the kryptonite as well. Luckily, he was able to reach the ELT Jordan kept in his boot and sent a signal to the DOD. Then grandad sent my dad and I to rescue them.”

 

“And you got them out of there,” Jon asked, practically numb by that point.

 

“We did. Clark should recover pretty quickly but Jordan…was in pretty bad shape the last time I saw him.”

 

“I just can’t believe this. I’ve been ignoring him all week. If I had known what would have happened…”

 

“But you couldn't have known, Jonathan.” Natalie moved her hand to his upper back and began making small circles. “No one could have predicted this. All that matters is what we do now.”

 

“Yeah,” Jon agreed, even though he wasn’t quite convinced. “You said Jordan’s at Doc’s house?”

 

“He is. They’ve got him under solar lamps and have tended to his wounds.”

 

Jon’s heart dropped again. “Jordan’s skin is nearly invincible. How could he have wounds?”

 

“Using the kryptonite…they cut him up pretty good.”

 

Jon had been doing his best to hold it all in, but that last comment was enough to put him over the edge. Seeing that Jon had finally reached his limit, Natalie pulled him in for a hug and let him cry on her shoulders. “It’s okay, Jon. I’m here. I’m right here.”

 

Jon didn’t have any words; his emotions had completely overtaken him. Not only was he completely terrified about the severity of his brother’s condition, but he was also feeling insanely guilty for fighting with Jordan all week.

 

And what made matters worse, in retrospect, the fight they had been having, was totally ridiculous. Sure, they had made up since then, but it was only over the phone, which was nothing compared to meeting up in person.

 

Suddenly, Jon pushed back from Natalie’s grasp, desperately needing to know one vital piece of information. “You said he…he was really hurt?” Natalie nodded. “But he will recover, right? He’s gonna be okay?”

 

Natalie paused, before whispering, "Doc isn’t sure.”

 

“No...don’t say that. Don’t you say that, not to me. He’s my brother damn it!”

 

“I know, Jon. Believe me, I know. He’s my brother too. Which is why your parents wanted me to explain everything to you, make sure you understood the reality of this situation before we headed over there.”

 

Jon stood up. “Alright, fine. You told me what’s going on. Take me to him.”

 

Natalie stood up too, a little slower though. “Jon, are you sure? It doesn’t seem like you’re okay.”

 

“Of course I’m not okay, but if things are really as bad as you say, and my brother might be…might be dying, then I’m not going to stay here. I’m going to be with him.” When he finally said the words he feared so much, a fresh wave of tears poured out of Jon’s eyes.

 

On instinct, Natalie once again pulled him in for a big hug. The gesture was as much for herself as she was for Jon. Yes, Natalie had explained what was going on, but once Jon actually saw the shape that Jordan was in…he would realize just how bad the whole situation really was.

 

There was really no way to prepare Jonathan for what he was about to see, but Nat had no intention of keeping him from Jordan any longer. Natalie pulled back from the hug. “I love you, Jonathan. No matter what happens, I love you and we will get through this.”

 

“I love you too, Natalie. Please take me to my brother.”

 

Tears were shining in the eyes of both of the siblings as Natalie transformed into her steel suit. She grabbed hold of Jon and took off flying.

Chapter 28: At Doc's House

Summary:

In her iron suit, Natalie flies Jon to Doc's house, so he can see Jordan. When he finally sees Jordan...the result is nothing like he could have imagined.

Notes:

Sorry about the brief hiatus! I've been super busy and trying to catch up on some other stories. But never fear! Here is the update on Jordan you all have been waiting for.

Thanks again for reading!

Chapter Text

While it wasn’t quite the same as flying with Clark or Jordan, the steel suit allowed Natalie to move pretty efficiently.

 

When they landed outside the doctor’s house, Natalie pushed a button and a moment later her suit had retracted and she turned to her brother. “You ready Jon?”

 

“No,” he answered honestly. “But my brother needs me. Let’s go.”

 

Natalie extended her hand and Jon took it; both siblings needing the familial support. They walked toward the house, but before getting all the way up the porch, the door opened and he was there.

 

The man who had patched Jordan and Jon up more times than either one cared to admit. He had loyally kept the family secret for years and was basically an honorary Kent at this point: Dr. Dave Miller.

 

“Hey Doc,” Jon whispered, taking in the presence of the other man. He hadn’t changed much over the years, still sporting the same salt and pepper hair, and laugh lines, though he had a few more wrinkles at the corners of his eyes these days.

 

“Jonathan. Natalie. Glad you could make it.”

 

“We wouldn’t be anywhere else,” Jon said, crossing over to the other man.

 

Even though it had been a while since Jon had seen Dave, in that moment, it was like no time had passed as the two came together in a warm embrace.

 

Since they had met, Dave had become like a cool uncle/mentor/friend. Oh yeah, and he was also the only physician that Jon had tended to Jon and Jordan since they were fifteen years old.

 

The relationship was complicated to say the least.

 

The old friends pulled away from the hug and Dave took a moment just to look at Jon, since it had, after all, been a while since he had seen the young man.

 

Jon appeared to be doing physically well, though maybe a bit tired, which was understandable of course, given the current situation. He was good at hiding his emotions, but even in the dim light, Dave could see the worry and stress written all over Jon’s face.

 

“It’s been a while,” Dave said, opting to start with a vague comment and see how Jon wanted to handle the conversation.

 

“Yeah it has, sorry about that.” Despite the severity of the situation they were in, Jon couldn’t help feeling a bit sheepish about staying away from his old friend for so long. “I should have come around a little more.”

 

“You definitely could have…like maybe for the annual physical that you’ve skipped for two years in a row,” Dave said, a slightly lecturing tone to his voice.

 

“Two years,” Natalie asked, the surprise obvious in her voice.

 

“Hey, I got busy, it’s not like I meant to.”

 

That was a lie. He had totally avoided Dr. Miller and his annual checkups for the last few years.

 

It was nothing against the physician, he was great and had always made Jon feel completely at ease in his care.

 

But as Jon had gone to college, and integrated more into a normal life, one without crazy villains or accidents on a daily basis, it had become easier to avoid the more complicated ‘super’ aspects of his life.

 

And going to a special physician because he had alien DNA but no real powers, was definitely something Jon had complicated feelings toward.

 

“Well, nevertheless, once we get Jordan a little more stable, how about I give you a quick checkup just to make sure everything is alright?”

 

Jon’s pulse quickened, “Naw, that’s okay. I’m fine.”

 

Dave frowned. “Jon, your parents told me how you got knocked unconscious recently.”

 

Natalie grabbed her brother’s arm. “You got knocked unconscious? Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

“Because it was no big deal. I’m fine.”

 

“It sounds like it was a big deal.”

 

And that’s the other reason Jon hadn’t wanted to tell his family about the incident. He hated being fussed over, especially when there were more important problems.

 

“Well, it wasn’t. You know what is a big deal, what’s going on with Jordan,” snapped Jon, annoyed that Nat and Dave were worried about him when Jordan had literally been through hell.

 

“Of course Jordan’s situation is important and I’ll take you to him,” Dave said, placing a hand on Jon’s shoulder. “But once we know Jordan is okay, I do want to revisit this conversation.”

 

“Fine whatever,” Jon agreed, brushing off the comment, figuring he would just avoid the situation later. Dave had known Jon for years, and knew exactly what the boy was doing, but let it go for the time being because he knew how concerned Jon was for his brother.

 

“Alright, good. Now before we go in, how much did Natalie tell you about the situation?”

 

“That there was…kryptonite involved,” Jon recalled, shuddering at even the mention of the word, especially knowing how much damage it had caused. “And that they…they…they tortured him with it,” Jon said, switching to a whisper.

 

Jordan was like, the most kind hearted person that Jon had ever met. So even the suggestion that someone had intentionally tortured his sweet, caring, and incredibly dorky twin brother was enough to make Jon visibly cringe.

 

“That’s the short version, yes,” Dr. Miller agreed, keeping his hand on Jon’s back, knowing the boy could use the support. “He’s pretty banged up, with several cuts and abrasions. We have him under solar lamps right now, which seem to be helping, or keeping him stable at least, but he still has a lot of healing left to go.”

 

“Okay, but why can’t Nat or my Dad take him somewhere sunny so he can heal faster?”

 

Natalie and Dave exchanged glances. “Jon…we don’t want to move him yet. He’s in a coma.”

 

“A…a coma? How is that even possible, he’s Kryptonian,” Jon said, not quite believing the new information he had been told.

 

“It was a shock to all of us as well, but unfortunately after so much Kryptonite exposure his body just wasn’t able to keep up the fight. So yes, he’s in a coma right now, but with the specialized IV I’m giving him and the solar lamps, hopefully we can get him stronger.”

 

As he learned more about the situation, Jon felt like his heart was breaking into pieces. He was such an idiot! What was he doing fighting with Jordan about being too overprotective? That was practically ideal compared to the situation they were in now.

 

“Take me to him,” Jon whispered.

 

Natalie and Dave exchanged glances, both understanding that Jon wanted to see his brother, but also how challenging it would be for him when he finally did.

 

Dave kept his arm around Jon and led him inside with Natalie following close behind. Of course, she was worried about Jordan as well, but she had already seen the damage and knew what to expect. Jon however, would be surprised. 

 

Keeping a protective arm around Jon, Dave guided him through the house and over to the makeshift medical wing that had been created for such purposes. Jon was all too familiar with that portion of the house.

 

At first when they walked into the room and Jon spotted his brother he thought there was some mistake, that couldn’t actually be Jordan.

 

But upon closer inspection, Jon realized the mutilated form in front of him was in fact his brother.

 

The bottom half of his body was covered with a thin blanket, but he wasn’t wearing a shirt, presumably to soak up more light from the solar lamps. It was a logical reason, but Jon kind of wished that his brother was wearing a shirt because it would cover up some of the horrific damage that had been done.

 

There were cuts, bruises and abrasions all over his torso, arms and face. Dave had patched Jordan up as best as he could, but there was just a lot of damage. In addition, there was a nasal cannula resting on his face, providing supplemental oxygen, an IV attached to his arm, and a few other wires connected to various machines behind him. Jon thought he saw a heart monitor, but there were a few others he didn’t recognize.

 

As strange as it was to see Jordan so injured, the worst part was the pale, grayish undertone to his skin. The color gave him a deathly look that immediately sent Jon’s heartbeat racing.

 

Then there was the fact that Jordan was so still. Normally, Jordan was always fidgeting and moving around; he hated being still. So this silent, unmoving person in front of Jon was about the furthest thing from Jordan Kent.

 

“Hey, sweetie.” Jon looked over to see both his parents huddled next to Jordan on the right side of the bed. Jon hadn’t noticed them at first because he had been so drawn to Jordan.

 

Lois got up and immediately moved to Jon to pull him in for a hug. She held on a little longer than usual, largely in part to the severity of the stressful and emotion filled situation in front of them. Jon didn’t mind. He was worried too and the extra comfort was nice.

 

She pulled back from the hug, but kept her hands on Jon’s arms, needing the physical contact from at least one of her sons. “So how was the football game?”

 

“Mom, Jordan is literally lying in a coma and you want to talk about football? Don’t you think your priorities are a little messed up?”

 

“It’s been a very long night. So just humor me for a minute, okay? How was the game?”

 

“We won,” Jon said, allowing himself a small smile, as he thought back for a moment to the incredible game. Had it only been just a few hours ago? It seemed like a different lifetime.

 

“Congratulations sweetie,” Lois said, pulling him in for another hug. Though there was sadness and worry in her eyes, her voice was genuine.

 

“You said you won the game,” Clark asked, reluctantly leaving his spot next to Jordan to greet his other son.

 

“Yeah, we did. The guys played great. I’m really proud of them.”

 

“Just like we are proud of you,” Clark said, pulling Jon in for the same jumbo hug that Lois had given him. For just one moment, Jon reveled in the comfort of his father’s arms. They had had a complicated relationship for years. Things had been better as of late and Jon was pleased that their interactions could be positive for Jordan’s sake. “So, tell us about the game? How did those underclassmen work out, the ones that you moved to starters?”

 

Jon was pleasantly surprised to hear that Clark had remembered the situation with his football players, but at the same time, everything going on with Jordan was so much more important, that it was hard to really enjoy the moment.

 

“As much as it would be great to talk football with you guys. I just can’t right now. Jordan is…” Jon spared a look at his brother.

 

Jonathan had been through several different stages of life despite his young age. He had gone from football star to small town pariah. There were also a few years when he had been a budding Kryptonian engineer and the worried brother who assisted during dangerous missions. And most recently, Jon had delved into the world of teaching and coaching. But through all those dramatic and various changes, Jordan had been through his side though all of them. Never wavering. Never hesitating.

 

And now…he was fighting for his life, while Jon had been playing a stupid football game.

 

Jon turned back to his parents. “Mom, Dad, tell me he’s going to wake up. Just please, please tell me that my twin brother is going to wake up.”

Chapter 29: Moving Forward

Summary:

Even though Jon is surrounded by family, he is very worried about Jordan and what they can do to help him.

Notes:

Hopefully you all enjoy some of the answers and new information in this chapter :)

Chapter Text

Lois and Clark exchanged a look. Of course they wanted to be able to tell Jon that his twin would wake up, but after seeing how weak he was, they couldn’t know for sure.

 

Sensing their hesitancy, Dr. Miller took the lead. “Jonathan, I can tell you that I am doing everything I possibly can to help Jordan come back to us,” he said, placing a comforting hand on Jon’s shoulder. “Nobody’s giving up here, I think we just need to give it some time.”

 

“But you don’t actually know for sure, though? We could lose him?” Jon needed to hear the truth. He was tired of being coddled.

 

Dave nodded slowly, tightening his grip on Jon’s shoulder. “We could.”

 

The tears that had been gathering at the corners of Jon’s eyes, threatened to fall at that gut wrenching piece of news. “But don’t worry, okay, we’re going to get him back,” the doctor continued, trying to reassure Jon.

 

“Just…take care of him, alright. That’s my twin brother, right there. Make sure he gets the best.”

 

“I swear on my life, Jonathan, I will give him the best care possible and will make sure to do everything I can to make sure that Jordan comes back to us.”

 

“Thanks, Doc,” Jonathan whispered, pulling his old friend in for a hug.

 

“Jonathan,” came the excited cry, just out of his eyeline. “Thank goodness you’re here!”

 

Jon stepped back to see who had called his name. He had a pretty good guess, but he wanted to see her. “Hi, Melissa.”

 

“Jonathan,” she said again, rushing over to pull him in for a hug. “I was so worried you weren’t going to get here.”

 

“There’s nowhere else I’d rather be. It’s good to see you Mel, it’s been a while,” Jon said, taking a look at the girl in front of him.

 

She looked pretty much the same, with her curly hair piled in a messy bun on top of her head and the standard look of T shirt, ripped jeans and a flannel shirt hastily tied around her waist. The glasses she had protested so hard against wearing their freshman year of college were now perched dutifully on her face.

 

Jon had made fun of her a lot about the glasses when she first got them, in a brotherly way of course. She particularly despised the jokes about now that she and Jordan both had glasses, it meant they totally matched and really were made for each other. But as much as Jon enjoyed messing with them, he couldn’t deny that the sentiment was true.

 

Jordan Kent and Melissa Ross were literally the perfect couple.

 

Although they had been in the same grade at Smallville High, their paths had never really crossed until their senior year. 

 

Melissa had been in a really bad car accident after some drunk driver ran her off the road. Jordan had heard her cries for help and had managed to save her before the car started on fire (since she had run into an electrical pole).

 

Jordan had been convinced that he kept his face covered and out of sight like he always did, but Melissa managed to catch a glimpse of Jordan’s face anyway. She had been a little unsure of exactly what had happened, or how she had gotten out of the car, but the face of her rescuer stayed firmly in her mind.

 

A week later when she was well enough to return to school, she saw Jordan and confronted him, demanding to know what happened. He denied any involvement, of course, but Mel would not be deterred.

 

Eventually, sensing that she refused to give up, Jordan confessed that he was the one who rescued her and that he was able to get her out of harm’s way so quickly because he had powers. Admitting that fact probably wasn’t smart, but Jordan could tell that she was intelligent and wouldn’t fall for just any excuse. As he told her, he assumed that she would hear the truth, be weirded out, and run the other direction.

 

When in reality, the opposite had happened.

 

Melissa was immediately grateful for Jordan’s bravery and kindness in such a terrible situation that she insisted on buying him supper after school one day to repay him. She knew it couldn’t actually compare to what he did for her, but Melissa wanted to do something.

 

And the rest, as they say, was history.

 

On the date they learned that they actually had a lot in common, both like video games, were introverted and had outgoing siblings. Melissa wasn’t a twin, but she did have younger sisters that were twins, and her grandfather and uncle were also in the military.

 

They bonded over their similarities, yes, but Jordan never had to worry about being anything but himself around Melissa, since she had already seen what he could do and wasn’t at all intimidated.

 

When Lois and Clark eventually found out just how much Melissa knew about their family situation, they were less than pleased to say the least, and were wary of her. But it didn’t take long for Melissa to completely win over everyone in the Kent family.

 

She could be shy at times, and maybe a little quirky, but her connection and love for Jordan was undeniable. Even though they weren’t officially engaged yet, everyone knew it was coming and couldn’t have been more pleased.

 

“Yeah, it has been a while,” Melissa said, giving Jon a sad smile. “I’m sorry that we couldn’t have met under better circumstances.”

 

“Me too. I’ve just been crazy busy, you know with football and everything.”

 

“I heard about that. Head coach is a big deal. How’s that going for you?”

 

“Good. We actually won our first game tonight.”

 

“Wow, congratulations! I had hoped you would. Jordan said…” Melissa’s voice trailed off. Just the mention of her injured boyfriend was enough to halt the conversation. Instantly, tears formed at the corners of her eyes and her lips started quivering. “I’m sorry, I don’t mean to get like this,” she said, brushing away the tears.

 

“Shh, Mel, it’s okay,” Jon said, pulling her in for a side hug. “You don’t have to apologize. This is tough for everyone who loves Jordan. And you’re one of those people. So however you need to cope, no one’s going to judge you for it. We’re all here for you.” Jon planted a brotherly kiss on her forehead and softly rubbed her back. 

 

This had hardly been the first time that Melissa had seen Jordan injured, but it was the first time that she had seen him completely unresponsive like this. The situation had obviously taken a toll on the young woman.

 

Jon and Melissa had developed an interesting relationship over the years. They weren’t the best of friends and didn’t have a lot in common, but often found themselves in the same boat: being worried about Jordan. And when Jordan was in a dangerous situation, Melissa clung desperately to the people who loved him best. Since they were the same age and each had a special connection with Jordan, Melissa and Jon tended to band together in situations such as these.

 

So Jon had no problem being a supportive figure for his overwhelmed future sister in law. “Do you want to sit with him for a while?”

 

Melissa pulled back from the hug. “Are you sure? You just got here,” she asked, immediately acknowledging that Jon had just as much right to sit with his brother as anyone.

 

“Yeah, I’m sure. You should take a shift. This whole thing is kind of a lot for me to wrap my brain around, so I think I want to take a walk,” said Jon, holding back tears of his own.

 

Melissa nodded and slowly moved her way over to the still form of her boyfriend.

 

“You want one of us to come with you,” Lois asked, sensing that the situation was tougher for Jon than he was letting on.

 

“No… that’s alright. I…I just need to walk for a bit. I’ll be back.” Without another word, Jon turned and left, hoping that his family didn’t notice the tears silently streaming down his face.

 

They all saw, but thought maybe Jon needed some time to himself process what was going on with Jordan, and let him go anyway. Even though they were giving him space, they were all incredibly worried about Jon, who gad a tendency to go downhill real quick when something was wrong with Jordan.

 

~~~~~

 

Jon couldn’t think.

 

He just knew he had to get out of that room and fast before he broke down in front of everyone. They would understand of course, but Jon hated anyone thinking he was weak.

 

“Jonathan, sweetie, are you okay,” asked a soft voice in front of him. Jon looked up and took in the sight of another person he had been missing for too long.

 

Even though it was late at night, her brown hair was still styled nicely, framing her face. She was wearing a wooly cardigan in her favorite color, deep rose, over a white button down shirt and gray slacks, which was a standard look for her. Even after all these years and everything they had been through, her voice was still impossibly kind. And when Jon met her blue eyes, he saw that they were just as pure and wholesome as they always were.

 

“Beth,” he whispered, before collapsing into her arms. Dr. Elizabeth Miller, or Beth as they called her, was Dave’s wife. Jon had grown very close with her over the years. She was kind, funny, made a killer apple pie, and also happened to run a very successful counseling center focusing on teens and young adults. 

 

Plus, she had been helping Jon with his mental health for years and had basically become like a second aunt.

 

“Hi Jon, how are you holding up,” she asked, rubbing his back in the comforting manner she was so good at.

 

“Not…not well,” he admitted softly.

 

Beth gently pulled away and looked at the young man she had grown so fond of. Jon was right, he did not seem well. But given the circumstances, she couldn’t really blame him.

 

“No, I’m sure you aren’t. Would you like to go to my office and talk or do you want to go back and sit with Jordan?”

 

Jon immediately shook his head. “No, I can’t go back in there. Not yet. It’s…it’s just too hard.”

 

“Don’t worry about it. Let’s go into my office and talk,” Beth said, keeping a comforting hand on Jon's shoulder.

 

“Actually, could we go into the kitchen? I’d like a glass of water if that’s not too much trouble.”

 

“Of course not sweetie, anything you need.”

 

A few minutes later, Jon and Beth were sitting at the circular, oak table that was the centerpiece of the Miller’s kitchen. Beth had given Jon a glass of water that he was dutifully sipping on. She could tell the boy needed a few minutes and wouldn’t rush him.

 

Finally, when Jon seemed to be a little bit more in control, Beth began with her first question. “So you wanna tell me what’s going on?”

 

“Jordan, I guess,” Jon answered with a slight shrug of his shoulders, not quite meeting her eyes.

 

“I’m sure,” agreed Beth. “He’s your twin brother. It’s only natural that you’re worried about him.”

 

Jon took another sip of water and shook his head. “That’s not what I mean. It’s part of it, sure. But more than that, I just feel like…if he doesn’t wake up soon…the guilt is going to crush me.”

 

Beth furrowed her brows. “Guilt? What would you have to feel guilty about?”

 

Jon was ashamed to admit it, but he needed Beth to understand. “Jordan and I had a fight this week. It was stupid and I shouldn’t have made such a big deal about it. We made up earlier in the day and we were going to hang out this weekend to make up for the distance.”

 

“But if you made up, that’s good.”

 

“Yeah, but we shouldn’t have been fighting in the first place.”

 

“Well, what was the fight about,” Beth asked, remaining patient and kind.

 

“It was so stupid,” Jon muttered. “My truck was vandalized and I didn’t tell Jordan about it right away and he got mad. Then I got mad at him for being too overprotective and it just kind of spiraled from there.”

 

“Back up for a second. Your truck was vandalized?”

 

“Oh, yeah,” admitted Jon. “It’s pretty bad, but Nat’s gonna fix it up for me. Not a big deal.”

 

“It sounds like a pretty big deal,” contradicted Beth. “I’m sure that was pretty rough on you.”

 

Jon bit his lip. It had totally been a big deal. He had been working very hard to be a good coach and give the kids his best…yet someone had still vandalized his truck.

 

“I mean, kind of, but there’s nothing we can do about it now except fix it and move on.”

 

Beth furrowed her brows. “Jon, it may have been a little while since we last talked, but I know you. This is affecting you a lot more than you’re letting on.”

 

“Okay, maybe,” Jon conceded. He could never lie to Beth. “But the stuff going on with Jordan is a much bigger deal. The guilt I feel…it’s all consuming and I know I won’t be okay again until he wakes up.”

 

“Jonathan, you have nothing to feel guilty about.”

 

“Yes I do! Maybe if we hadn’t been fighting, Jordan would have been more focused and seen that those guys were trying to trick him and then we wouldn’t be in this mess and maybe–”

 

“Jon, no, you can’t think that way,” Beth said, taking his hand. “Jordan knows how to do his job just fine. Those guys were really sneaky and evil. None of this is your fault. If anything, you made Jordan fight harder.”

 

“I just…I don’t know what to do. Maybe it’s my fault, maybe it’s not. But I still feel guilty as hell, and there’s nothing I can do about it.”

 

“Maybe there is,” came the quiet voice from the doorway. It was Dave and he had a pensive look on his face, as if he was contemplating something important.

 

“What do you mean?” Jon kept his hand in Beth’s, needing her comfort.

 

“I was talking to your parents,” began Dave, taking a few steps into the kitchen. “About Jordan, and about what needs to happen next.”

 

“Okay, so what needs to happen next,” Jon asked, sitting up, instantly more alert.

 

“Well, he’s stable, which is good,” Dave said, quickly reassuring Jon when he saw the look of concern. “But the problem is, there still seems to be lingering effects of the Kryptonite on his body, which is probably why he hasn’t woken up yet.”

 

“How do you know?”

 

“Because I was able to get a blood sample that confirmed my theory.”

 

“A blood sample?” Jon’s heart dropped at the thought. His brother’s skin had been invulnerable for years and the only times that Dr. Miller had ever been able to get any sort of blood sample was when Kryptonite had been involved. “He’s really that bad?”

 

“Yes, Jon, I’m afraid so.” Dave joined Jon and Beth at the table and placed a hand on the young man’s shoulder. “The needle went right through Jordan’s skin and I had no trouble getting a sample. That’s how weak he is, which is why I told your parents that I think we need to act now.”

 

“Okay…” Jon said slowly, trying to grasp just how weak Jordan was at that moment. “So, what do we need to do?”

 

“The main issue that we have is that the extended presence of kryptonite seems to be keeping his body from healing itself.”

 

“Well, we’ve got to do something,” Jon protested. “We can’t just let him feel the effects of that poison. You can’t just leave him like that!”

 

“Relax Jon, I know. I told your parents the same thing. I also told them the idea that I had because I wanted to run it by them first, and now I’m telling you.”

 

“An idea to help? Great, let’s hear it.”

 

“Even though he’s not around the Kryptonite anymore, he was in the presence of it for so long that his body is unable to fight and rejuvenate itself, meaning we need to give him a boost.”

 

“Well, he’s already under solar lamps,” Jon noted, “what else can we do?”

 

“Jordan’s physiology is very unique, meaning that for anything to work, we would need the assistance of someone with the same unique genetic makeup.”

 

Jon paused for a moment as he took in Dave’s words. “Someone…like me?”

 

He nodded. “Yes, Jonathan, I think at this point you are the only one who can save your brother.”

Chapter 30: The Transfusion

Summary:

Dave believes that the only way to help Jordan is to give him a transfusion of Jon's blood, but the process brings up some old insecurities for Jon, making his entire family worry about his well being.

Notes:

Reminder, I am not a doctor, just a writer using Google. Also, we are dealing with fictional half-kryptonians here, so I made up a few of my own rules :)

Thanks so much for reading! Leave a comment below!

Chapter Text

“Me? It’s up to me to save Jordan?”

 

 Jon worked to control his utter shock at the simple suggestion. He wanted to yell something like, ‘Are you freaking serious? Jordan’s a damn superhero and I’m barely a football coach. He has powers, fights bad guys and has helped save the world dozens of times. What could I possibly do to help someone like that?’

 

But Jon couldn’t say that. If there was a way to save Jordan, he had to try.

 

So instead, he said. “Alright, what do you need me to do?”

 

“I want to try to remove some of the tainted blood from Jordan's body and then give him a transfusion. The goal is that the healthy blood will give his cells the boost they need to begin his natural healing process,” Dave explained.

 

“So you want to use my blood?”

 

“It’s really the only option. I’m sorry to have to ask this of you but–”

 

“Save it.” Jon stood up. “I’ll do it.”

 

“Are you sure? I know it’s asking a lot,” Dave noted, standing up as well.

 

“Yeah, it is. But if I have even a chance to save Jordan, then I have to try. He’s my brother. It’s not even a question.”

 

Dave could see that Jon had made up his mind and knew that there was no point in trying to convince him otherwise. “Alright, Beth, you stay in here with Jon and get him something sugary to eat. I’m going to get started with Jordan and I’ll come get Jon in a little while,” Dave instructed before leaving the room to tend to Jordan.

 

“Okay, Jon, I don’t have a lot of sugary foods in the house, but Dave does like to keep a stash of cookies, if that’s okay?”

 

“Yeah, that’s fine,” Jon said, sitting back down. Beth brought him a small plate of chocolate chip cookies and he began nibbling on them. It was close to eleven at night by that point so he wasn’t really hungry, but he didn’t have much of a choice.

 

“Hey guys, how’s it going in here,” said Lois, briskly walking into the kitchen.

 

“Oh, I think we’re all holding up about as well as can be expected,” Beth answered.

 

A moment later Clark, Natalie and Melissa filed in as well. “What are you guys all doing here,” questioned Jon, surprised to see everyone.

 

“Dave thought it would be easier if we stepped out for a minute,” Natalie said. She had her arms around Melissa, providing comfort to her ‘basically’ sister in law.

 

“Jon, are you sure you want to do this,” Melissa said, the moment she saw Jon. “I know it’s asking a lot of you.”

 

“She’s right, Jon,” added Clark. “You don’t have to–”

 

“Guys, it’s really not that big of a deal. People donate blood all the time. If I have even a small chance of saving Jordan then I have to try.” There was an awkward silence. No one believed Jon’s attempt at bravado. Not even for a second.

 

He was right of course, people donated blood all the time and usually it wasn’t a big deal, but Jon was different from most people. Ever since he had learned about his unique heritage, Jon had developed this irrational fear of something finding out who he was and being taken away to be experimented on in some government lab.

 

Technically, if someone was going to be experimented on, it would probably be Jordan, since he was the one with the powers. But Jon always felt that he was still alien enough that someone might take interest.

 

It was the main reason he tended to stay away from medical care whenever possible, like when he had been knocked out after football practice. Was anybody actually going to notice anything weird about him after something like that?

 

No, probably not. But in Jon’s mind, one could never be too careful.

 

As comfortable as he was with Dr. Miller, they all knew that Jon would still be nervous the whole time and didn’t want him to feel forced into it. But in addition, they all knew that when it came to Jordan, there was nothing Jon wouldn’t do.

 

“Also, I have no problem doing this, but how do we even know it’s going to work,” Jon asked, picking up another cookie.

 

“That's what we asked Dave when he came to talk to us,” said Lois, taking the spot next to Jon at the table. “Despite the difference in the way your Kryptonian sides have developed over the years, you and Jordan still share the same half-human half Kryptonian DNA, meaning that it should be compatible if he gets a transfusion.”

 

“Should be,” noted Jon, “meaning we don’t actually know for sure?”

 

“No, we won’t know right away, but based on the tests Dave ran a few years ago, he thinks it’s our best option,” said Clark. “You remember when he did that testing, right?”

 

Jon scoffed. “Yeah, how could I forget.”

 

Their freshman year of college, after Dave had become a little more familiar with their family, he had asked about the potential of running some tests on the boys to get a clearer understanding of their genetic makeup, so he could better tend to them.

 

At first they were a little hesitant, especially Jon, considering that it was literally his worst nightmare. But when Dave had explained his intentions a little more and how he planned to work with Lara, the boys had eventually agreed. Initially, it was kind of weird and creepy, exactly as Jon had feared, but Dave couldn’t have been nicer during the process and did his best to make sure the boys were as comfortable as possible despite the situation.

 

And it was a good thing too, because less than a few weeks later, Jon tried helping Jordan with a bank heist and got into trouble. The injuries he sustained would have been hard to explain to a regular doctor, especially when some time under a solar lamp did more for him then any traditional medicine could.

 

Ever since, the testing that Dr. Miller had done came in quite handy in terms of understanding the physiology of Jordan and Jon. On the rare occasion that they did get hurt or sick Dave was now much more equipped to take care of them then any other doctor would have been. The doc had been right, the results of those tests had been important and beneficial many times, but Jon couldn’t deny that the process still made him feel out of place and well…alien.

 

“And also, before you got here, Dave had me run up to the Fortress and run his theory by Lara. She pulled up the testing modules they completed together and was able to confirm that his theory made sense.”

 

“So we know it has the potential to help, but could it make things worse,” Jon asked, finishing up his third cookie.

 

“Dave and Lara don’t think so.”

 

“Alright, well let’s hope it works then,” Jon mumbled. So their best bet was a transfusion from Jon and they didn’t even know if it would work. But no pressure though.

 

“Hey guys,” Dave said, walking back into the room.

 

“How’s Jordan,” asked Jon the moment he saw Dave.

 

“About the same. But I think we’re ready to try that transfusion if you’re willing–”

 

“Let’s go,” Jon said, standing up from the table. His response was instant, as if nothing could deter him from getting to his brother.

 

The others also moved to follow them back into the room, but Dave caught the instant fear in Jon’s eyes and stepped in. “Actually guys, it might be better if I take Jon back alone and maybe a couple of you can come back when we’re a little more settled.”

 

“Is that what you want, Jon,” asked Clark, knowing how sensitive his son could be to all this medical stuff.

 

“Yeah, it’s fine,” answered Jon, avoiding looking at anyone in his family. He appreciated their concern, but the last thing he wanted to do was appear weak in front of any of them. But before he could leave the room, Clark blocked his path.

 

“Are you sure you want to do this, Jonathan? No one is making you. We all know how you get around needles.”

 

“I appreciate the concern, but if I’m the only one that can do this, than there really isn’t any choice. We need to get Jordan back.”

 

Clark pulled Jon in for a warm embrace. “I’m really proud of you son,” he whispered. “This is a really brave thing you’re doing. And we’re all right here, just a few rooms away if you need anything.”

 

“Thanks, Dad,” said Jon, getting choked up.  Even though they all said Jon had a choice, he knew he really didn’t, considering he was the best option to save Jordan. But still, the family support was nice.

 

Jon pulled away from the hug and followed Dave towards the small medical wing, hoping to get away before his family could see the tears that had gathered in the corners of his eyes.

 

At first when they returned to the room, Jon didn’t notice anything different. But as he looked around, he saw that a few things had slightly changed. The solar lamps had been moved to one side of the bed and were directed more towards Jordan’s face, leaving an open space on the right side. On the left, there was another bed set up. Jon took a deep breath and tried not to let the panic show on his face when he realized that one was for him.

 

“Okay, Jon, why don’t you have a seat on the empty bed, there, and we’ll get started,” Dave said with a simple gesture. Jon did as he was asked and tried to force himself to relax. This really was no big deal. He trusted Dave. Everything would be fine.

 

He hoped.

 

Jon needed to think about something else. Anything else. The bed he was in was slightly different than the one Jordan was laying on. Jon’s bed was propped up, as was the norm for someone donating blood. It was comfortable too, he noted, unlike most hospital beds. That was another great thing about Dave, he always took any measure necessary to make the boys feel at ease when they were a patient.

 

“Alright, Jonathan, I’m going to tie a tourniquet on your arm if that’s okay?”

 

“Yeah, sure,” Jon agreed, extending his arm.

 

“And hey, you know the drill, just let me know if you need to stop. It’s not a problem,” said Dave, placing a hand on Jon’s shoulder. 

 

“Okay.” Another great thing about Dave was that he never forced either of the boys into anything they didn’t want to do or were uncomfortable with. And sometimes, with Jon especially, that meant that he needed to take a couple of breaks if he got too overwhelmed. Just like always, even today, when the stakes were the highest they had been in years, Dave still made sure that Jon’s needs were front and center.

 

He tied the thin, plastic tourniquet around Jon’s arm, right above his elbow. “It’s okay to look away if you need to, Jon,” said Dave.

 

Jon felt like a big baby, but Dave was right, it would be easier. He felt a quick pinch and knew that Dave must have inserted the needle. It wasn’t the pain that bothered him, rather it was the idea that being stuck with needles made him feel like an alien being experimented on.

 

He knew that technically, he was just donating blood to his brother, and there should have been nothing weird about it. But the fact that he was the only one who could give blood in this situation was alien enough for Jon to be uncomfortable.

 

Still, Jordan was his brother, and he would do anything for him.

 

“Alright, Jon, I’ve got the needle inserted and I’m attaching the tube now. Still doing okay?”

 

“Yep,” the young Kent answered, gritting through his teeth. The sooner they got this over with, the better Jon would be.

 

“Now, I’m connecting the bag and I’ll begin drawing the blood.” Jon nodded and looked up at the ceiling. It was no big deal, he silently told himself. People donated blood all the time.

 

Of course, most of the time, people who donated blood weren’t half aliens giving blood to their half alien brothers who had been poisoned by radioactive material from a planet that had exploded years ago…

 

Stop it! Jon berated himself. Thinking like that wasn’t going to make the situation any better… even if it was the truth.

 

He just needed to think about something else…which was practically impossible with the constant beeping noises coming from the machines attached to Jordan.

 

Apart from his twin, who wasn’t really able to help much at this point, there was really only one person Jon wanted to talk to. Maybe it was a mistake bringing her into this side of his life so soon into their relationship. Maybe it would totally backfire.

 

But at that moment, Jon also knew that if he didn’t hear her voice, and soon, he would go crazy. “Hey, Dave, is it okay if I make a phone call real quick.”

 

“Of course, Jon, that’s no problem. I’ll step out for a minute and give you some privacy,” Dave said, subtly exiting the room after checking on Jordan one more time. He assumed that Jon wanted to call his new girlfriend, the ones the Kent’s had told him about. And given the slightly panicked look on Jon’s face, hopefully she could help him relax.

 

Jon pulled his phone from his pocket, careful not to jostle the needle attached to his arm and called Charlotte. The phone rang a few times before a sleepy voice answered, “Mmm hello?”

 

“Char? Man, I’m sorry, I forgot how late it is. You can go back to sleep,” Jon said, instantly feeling bad for waking his girlfriend up.

 

“Wait, Jon, is that you,” Charlotte asked, already sounding more alert. “Are you okay? Natalie said you weren’t feeling well and that’s why you guys had to leave. Is everything alright?”

 

“Don’t worry, babe, I’ll be fine,” Jon said, already feeling himself relaxing. “Sorry, about ditching. How was the rest of the afterparty?”

 

“It was great. Jon, how are you,” Charlotte asked again, not falling for his distraction tactics.

 

“I told you. I’m fine,” Jon said, hoping his voice sounded calm and reassuring.

 

“What’s going on, Jon, talk to me,” Charlotte said, her voice practically pleading. “I was so worried. You saw Natalie and then you just left so fast.”

 

“Yeah…it was pretty strange. I saw her and then…suddenly I felt terrible. We think maybe it was food poisoning or something,” Jon said, coming up with the least threatening illness he could think of.

 

“Okay, but then why did she look so upset when she walked in.” Charlotte asked, still a little confused that the story didn’t quite add up.

 

“She was coming to tell me about my truck,” Jon added. “Apparently the work isn’t going quite as fast as she was hoping and wanted to tell me in person.”

 

“Oh. Okay. And then suddenly, you just didn’t feel well,” Charlotte asked again.

 

“Yeah, it was weird. Actually, I’m still not feeling too hot to be honest.”

 

“Well, then maybe I’ll let you go so you can get some rest.”

 

“Wait, no,” exclaimed Jon. “Not yet. I’m sorry, I know it’s late, but is there any way we can talk for a few more minutes?”

 

“Sure, I just thought you could use the sleep. Jon, you’re scaring me, are you sure everything’s alright,” asked Charlotte yet again. She wasn’t even sure she believed the story, but one thing was for sure, the strange, scared tone in Jon’s voice proved that something was wrong.

 

“I just…” Jon looked down at the needle in his arm and his comatose brother across from him. “I just needed to hear your voice,” Jon whispered.

 

“That’s it, I’m coming over there.”

 

“I’m not at my house. Nat took me to her place. Sisterly instinct I guess,” Jon said, once again keeping the truth from Charlotte. “I promise she’s taking really good care of me, though.” Suddenly, Jon was desperate to tell Char some portion of the truth. “I just don’t do real well with being sick and I guess I got in my own head a little bit. Sorry.”

 

“Baby, you have nothing to apologize for. I’m here, whatever you need, okay? I love you, and I’m right here,” Charlotte said, unable to hold back her tears. She wasn’t sure exactly what happened, why Natalie and Jon had left so fast and why she couldn’t come and see him, but she knew Jon well enough to understand that whatever was going on with him, he had reached out because he needed her. Charlotte meant what she said. If Jon needed her, she wasn’t going anywhere.

 

“I love you too, Char,” Jon whispered, tears of his own, silently streaming down his cheeks. He would have given anything to hold her in that moment. But he couldn’t. His half alien brother needed his blood to hopefully recover from Kryptonite poisoning. There was just no way to bring Charlotte into this side of his life. Not yet. So instead, he settled for what he could get. “Could you just…keep talking?”

 

“Anything for you, Jon.”

Chapter 31: Wait and See

Summary:

As Jon finishes donating blood for his brother, he anxiously awaits to see if the transfusion works and if his brother will wake up.

Chapter Text

After talking to Charlotte for a few more minutes, Jon decided to let her go back to bed. Yes, talking with her had been relaxing, but it was also late at night, and he didn’t want her to get too tired, because that wasn’t fair to her.

 

Shortly after Jon ended the call, Dave walked in. “Hope I’m not interrupting.”

 

“Naw, it’s fine,” said Jon, setting his phone aside.

 

“So was that the girl your parents were telling me about,” Dave asked, hoping to keep Jon distracted for just a little while longer.

 

“Yeah,” Jon answered with a smile, making sure to avoid looking at the needle in his arm. “Charlotte. We’ve been going out for a couple of weeks now.”

 

“She must be special if she can make you smile like that with what’s going on,” Dave said, checking to make sure that everything was running smoothly.

 

“Yeah, she is,” answered Jon, his smile now filling his face despite the intense situation. “I just needed to hear her voice. Sorry if that sounds lame.”

 

“Not at all Jonathan,” Dave said, returning the smile. 

 

“Hey, Doc,” Jon said, looking nervous for a second. “Just because I haven’t been around much…It didn’t mean that…I don’t…I’m trying to say that it’s nothing personal, okay? I still care about you and Beth…I just…”

 

“Jon, it’s okay, I understand,” Dave said, taking a seat on the bed next to his patient. “We’ve talked about it before.”

 

“Yeah, I know, but it’s stupid. You and Beth have never been anything but nice to me and still every time you ask to check me over I feel like some sort of alien.”

 

“Jonathan, you don’t have anything to apologize for,” Dave said earnestly, placing a supportive hand on Jon’s back. “I know it must be challenging to have genetics that you battle to understand.”

 

“It’s not like I want to have issues with it. I guess…I just feel like a fraud sometimes, you know? Like here I am trying to be this football coach and have a normal girlfriend, but then today I’m donating blood to my half alien brother because he got poisoned with kryptonite and can’t go to a regular hospital.”

 

“So what are you saying,” Dave asked. He and Jon had shared talks like this before and Dave had always handled the discussions with the utmost respect and sensitivity.

 

“I guess that I’m feeling pulled between two words, especially recently and I’ve been trying to just…deal with that.”

 

“Well, Jon, I can tell you that you don’t have to feel bad for being conflicted about this. Your situation would be a lot to handle for anybody and the emotions you are having make sense. Maybe once this thing with Jordan gets resolved, you can set up a time with Beth and maybe talk about it a little more.”

 

Jon gave his friend a small smile. That was almost always Dave's suggestion when something was bothering him. Luckily, Beth was the best, and if anyone could help Jon through his weird situation, it would be her. “Yeah, I think I’d like that.”

 

“Good. We both care about you Jon and are always going to do anything we can to help. Whether you come see us once a week or once every five years, Beth and I would still drop everything at the drop of a hat if you needed us.”

 

“Thanks, Dave. That means a lot.”

 

“Anytime, son,” Dave said, pulling Jon in for a quick hug. After a moment he looked over at the bag that was now filled. “Good news, it looks like we’re done here.” He removed the needle and bag of blood, then quickly covered the injection site with a cotton ball and a Band-Aid. “I’ll have Beth bring you some orange juice and after a few minutes you can get some sleep in one of the spare bedrooms.”

 

Jon propped his head up. “No way. I’m not leaving Jordan.”

 

Dave sighed. He had forgotten how stubborn Jon could get when his brother was hurt. Time to see if logic would do anything. “Jonathan, it’s no good for anyone if you wear yourself out–”

 

Jon sat up completely and looked Dave in the eyes. “I’m not leaving my brother.” His voice was firm and absolute, meaning that Dave’s attempt at logic was useless.

 

“Okay, can we try a compromise then?” They may have just had a decent conversation, but when it came to Jordan, it’s like all the rules were different. “I’ll let you stay in here with Jordan, if you promise me you’ll get some sleep. I can adjust the bed so it’s lying flat and get some pillows and blankets so you’ll be more comfortable.”

 

“How can I sleep not knowing if the transfusion worked or not?”

 

“To be honest, Jonathan, you need your rest because we might need more blood.” Jon’s face paled at the suggestion so Dave was quick to explain. “I only took half a pint this time around because I didn’t know what the result would be.”

 

“I thought you said a transfusion was his best option.”

 

“It is, but I still want to take it slow.”

 

Jon sighed, knowing that Dave always had his reasons. “I guess that makes sense.”

 

 Dave set up the blood transfusion for Jordan before turning back to Jon. “Alright, son, if you’re okay, I’m going to let everyone back in?” Jon nodded, understanding that everyone was worried and would want to check in on them. Before leaving, Dave adjusted the bed so Jon was laying flat and at the young Kent’s request, moved the bed closer to Jordan.

 

They only had a few minutes to be alone before everyone came back to the room, so Jon wanted to make the most of it. He turned to Jordan and spoke softly. “Hey bro, you need to hurry up and get better, okay? I’m not going anywhere, but you need to wake up.”

 

Jordan didn’t move at all and gave no indication that he had heard Jon. So, the concerned brother reached over and took his twin’s hand, needing some form of contact from his basically absent brother. As scary as the situation was, the moment Jon had taken Jordan’s hand, they both were able to breathe much easier.

 

~~~~~

 

As soon as Dave walked back into the kitchen, everyone stood to greet him. Lois spoke first. “How are they doing?” Clark moved to stand by his wife and took her hand.

 

“So far so good. I started the transfusion a few minutes ago. Hopefully we can start to see some improvements soon.”

 

“How’s Jon,” Lois asked, knowing how nervous her son got about this kind of stuff.

 

“He was fine when I left. He was uneasy when I took the blood, but willing. I think it helped that he was talking to a girl for a while. I think he said her name was Charlotte.”

 

“Yeah, that’s his girlfriend,” Lois said with a smile, leaning into Clark’s shoulder.

 

“He had been pretty tense so I’m glad she was able to calm him down a little.”

 

“So, he’s doing okay then,” Clark asked, needing official confirmation.

 

“Yes. The only thing is that he refuses to leave Jordan. Even though I pointed out he would probably sleep better in one of the other rooms, he made it very clear that he wasn’t going anywhere tonight.”

 

Lois and Clark exchanged a fond look. “That sounds just like Jon,” Lois murmured.

 

“Can we see them,” Melissa asked, with Nat following close behind.

 

“Of course. You can all follow me.” As the group approached the room, Dave turned back to his wife. “Oh, Beth, could you grab some orange juice for Jon? He might…need it…” Dave said, his voice trailing off a bit as he took in the sight in the room. As everyone filed in, they had to work to hold back the collective sigh that they all wanted to release.

 

Predictably, the boys were laying on parallel beds, as Dave had explained. Jordan was still unconscious, and Jon had fallen asleep, which he probably needed. But the part that was adorable, really too sweet for words, was that Jon had reached across the bed and was holding Jordan’s hand. More than that, both the boys’ heads were leaning toward the other, as if despite the separation of the beds, they were still doing whatever they could to be as close to each other as possible.

 

It was also a big deal in Jordan’s case, because up until that point, he hadn’t moved since he had fallen unconscious. The new picture could mean a couple of things: first, that the transfusion was already helping or second, that somehow, Jordan knew his brother was there and had gravitated toward him.

 

Wordlessly, Dave and Clark scooted the two separate beds even closer together, until it was basically one big bed and so Jon wouldn’t have to reach as far, sensing it was what they each needed. Then as if on instinct, when the beds were practically touching, both boys moved even closer together until Jon’s head was resting on Jordan’s shoulder and Jordan had softly laid his head against Jon’s.

 

At the sight of the instinctual movement, this time, the women weren’t able to hold back a sigh, the image was just too adorable. Unable to help herself, Lois pulled her phone out of her pocket and snapped a quick picture. When everybody looked at her she whispered the best defense she had. “I’m their Mom, I’m allowed.”

 

Obviously, they were all super worried about Jordan, but at that moment, it was like they had just entered some sort of time machine, especially for Lois and Clark. When the boys were babies, they had to be in the same crib or they wouldn’t be able to sleep. The Kent’s had tried separating them on different occasions and their venture had failed every time. Even as they got older and graduated to actual beds, it was still a battle every night to keep them in their separate beds. More often than not, when Lois and Clark went to wake the boys up for daycare or school when they got older, they would find the boys sharing a bed, cuddled up next to each other.

 

It wasn’t until Jordan started experiencing bad night terrors and temper tantrums that they really took a firm stance on separating the boys. It was hard at first, but they got used to it. And up until they were in 6th grade, if one of them had experienced a nightmare or had a rough day at school, they could always be seen crawling into the same bed, seeking comfort from the one person who had always been there.

 

And even though they were full grown men now, with jobs and girlfriends, seeing them lay together like that instantly took Lois back to those days long ago when the twins were little and had done the same thing.

 

Dave placed a blanket over Jon so he would be more comfortable. He left the pillow on the floor by the bed; apparently Jon didn’t need it anymore. Then, the trusted physician checked everything over to see if things were good –they were– and gestured for everyone to go back into the hallway.

 

When they had left the room, the concerned family members looked over at Dave, waiting for some kind of action plan. He simply replied with a soft, “Well, I guess Jon was tired.”

 

They all chuckled softly and Clark pointed out, “And at least we know that they’ll be getting a good night’s sleep.”

 

“So where do we go from here,” questioned Lois, taking hold of Clark’s hand.

 

“I guess the main thing is we take a hint from Jon and get some sleep. We will definitely have a long day ahead of us tomorrow. There’s plenty of places to sleep in the spare bedroom.”

 

“Yes, and I have lots of pillows and blankets as well,” added Beth.

 

“I’ll keep an alarm on my phone to keep checking in on them and the machines will alert us if something happens. Otherwise, I think this is a wait and see situation. We should have a better idea tomorrow.”

 

After a few parting words, they all went to bed, anxious and nervous for what the next day would bring.

 

~~~~~

 

When Dave’s alarm went off at 4:30 A.M., he assumed it would just be another routine check on the boys. But when he walked into the room, using the light from the solar lamps, he noticed that Jon’s eyes had fluttered open.

 

Dave walked around to the side of the bed so Jon could see him. “Hi, son. Are you feeling okay?”

 

Jon nodded slightly, but appeared to have no intention of moving away from his brother. “How’s Jordan?”

 

“I’m checking on him now,” Dave said, quick to reassure Jon. “Hmm, that’s interesting.”

 

“What is it,” Jon said, alarm filling his face.

 

“It’s okay, I think we finally have some good news.”

 

“Really,” Jon asked, the hope evident in his voice.

 

“Really,” Dave agreed. “Some of Jordan’s numbers are better and his heartbeat is a lot stronger.”

 

“So…so it worked?”

 

“It did. But the next question is for you. Since I only took half a pint, would you be willing to donate that same amount again?”

 

Instantly a look of fear crossed Jon’s face as he processed the information. Did he want to? No, not at all. But would he…there was only one real answer to that question.

 

“Will it help Jordan?” When Dave nodded, Jon knew his answer. “Then I’ll do it.”

 

“Good man.” Dave began preparing the equipment once again, keeping Jon distracted with some casual conversation. “Now don’t worry son, this is perfectly safe, people donate a full pint all the time. Also, if you want I can draw from your other arm and you don’t even have to move away from Jordan.”

 

“Okay.”

 

The second time around was a little more stressful for Jon, but he knew he had to push through. It wasn’t about feeling like an alien, or a lab rat, this was about helping Jordan because no one else could.

 

So when the needle pierced Jon’s skin again, he gripped Jordan’s hand tightly, knowing the contact with his brother would provide comfort.

 

Knowing that he was doing something significant to help Jordan was enough to get him through. After the second donation was done, Jon peacefully drifted back to sleep.

 

It was about 7:15 when it happened. Jon was in that weird half asleep, half awake place, but was content to stay where he was. But then, he heard a mumbling sound. The voice was unclear at first so he didn’t think much of it. But then he heard the voice again, clear as day…saying his name.

 

At that moment, Jon realized what was going on. He shot up and looked over at his twin, who was now staring up at him, green eyes wide open.

 

In shock, Jon could only whisper. “Jordan?”

Chapter 32: Forgive Yourself

Summary:

When Jordan wakes up, Jon wants to feel elated, but he just feels so guilty about fighting with his brother that instead, his emotions are jumbled and complicated.

Notes:

Yes! Jordan is awake. But unsurprisingly, I decided to take another chapter to focus on emotions and limited plot...because it's me, and that's what I like to do, plus there was a certain interaction I wanted to see :)

Enjoy!

Chapter Text

“Jordan?”

 

“Jonathan,” he answered, his voice already a little stronger than the mumble it had been the first time he had spoken.

 

“Hey bro. How are you feeling,” Jon asked, taking his brother’s hand again.

 

“Like…crap,” he answered, still slurring his words a bit.

 

“Yeah, I bet. What do you remember?”

 

“Bank robbery…and kryptonite.”

 

Jon’s face tensed at the reminder of what his brother had been through. “Yep, that’s about it.”

 

“When’d you get here,” Jordan asked, changing subjects as his eyes fluttered again.

 

“Last night.”

 

Jordan’s eyebrows furrowed as he realized what that meant. “But…your game?”

 

Jon smiled and shook his head in disbelief. “After everything that happened you’re still asking about my game?”

 

Jordan shrugged slightly, and rolled his eyes which Jon interpreted as, “Well, duh.”

 

“The game was fine. We won and the kids played great,” Jon said, firmly believing that he did not deserve such a caring brother.

 

“Good,” Jordan answered, his eyes drifting closed. Giving his brother a moment to rest, Jon pulled out his phone and texted Dave that Jordan had woken up. “Why’d you let go of my hand,” came the mumbling voice.

 

“Sorry,” Jon said, setting his phone aside and grasping Jordan’s hand once again. “I was just texting Doc. He’s been taking good care of you and…wait, what are you staring at?”

 

“What happened to your arms,” Jordan asked. He had opened his eyes and appeared to be hyper focused on the deliberately placed band aids on Jon’s arms.

 

“Oh, it’s really no big deal.”

 

“Jon.” His twin still sounded tired, but at the moment his tone conveyed that he didn’t have any patience for whatever lie Jon was planning to say.

 

Apparently, even after being unconscious for several hours, the moment he woke up, Jordan still felt protective over his brother, which of course reminded Jon of the stupid fight they had and how guilty he still felt. “I gave blood so Dave could give you a transfusion. You were really weak and he didn’t know what else to try.”

 

“He stuck you with a needle… in both arms,” asked Jordan, his protective instincts immediately rising. “And took blood from you?”

 

“Yeah, but it’s fine.”

 

“It is not fine.”

 

“Jordan, that’s what needed to happen and I’d do it again.”

 

“I’m not stupid. I know all this medical stuff has to be freaking you out. You shouldn’t have to–”

 

“Jordan, it’s so good to see you awake,” Dave said, strolling into the room. Jon immediately pulled his hand away, for reasons he couldn’t quite identify. “How are you feeling?”

 

“Okay. A little tired I guess…”

 

Dave had taken out his stethoscope and was preparing to listen to Jordan’s heart. That was the moment Jon knew he needed to get out of there. He couldn’t explain it. But needed to be anywhere else.

 

“Hey, where are you going?”

 

“I’ll be back in a minute. I just want to…grab a drink.” Jon glanced back and saw the deep concern on Jordan’s face, and bolted. 

 

Jordan watched his twin walk out of the room and tried not to be hurt. Luckily, Dave knew Jordan very well, and tried to reassure him. “It’s nothing personal, Jordan. He’s just had a long night and was really worried about you. I think he just needs a minute to process."

 

“No, it’s more than that,” Jordan said, shaking his head. “Something’s wrong. He’s not okay.”

 

~~~~~

 

Jon only knew that he needed to get as far away from that room as possible, and fast. He didn’t have a destination or a purpose in mind, he just ran. Jon eventually found his way out the front door and onto the front porch.

 

If anyone in his family had been there, he would have held it together. But since he was alone, there was no reason to keep up the mask. Jonathan barely made it to the front steps when he just dropped. The tears came fast and seemed to have no source. Within moments, Jon’s head was in hands and the silent tears had turned to sobs.

 

The worst part was that Jon didn’t even know exactly what happened. One moment he had been enjoying being his brother and the next he felt like a caged rabbit. The news was good, Jordan had finally woken up, the one thing they had been waiting for and Jon…panicked.

 

He should have been elated, smiling, and glued to his brother’s side. And what did he do? He ran and was sobbing on the front steps. What kind of brother did that make him?

 

“Jon?”

 

He turned to find Melissa standing at the doorway, a horrified expression on her face.

 

“Mel!” Jon quickly wiped away the tears, trying to regain his composure. “Hey, sorry I didn’t see you there. What’s going on?”

 

“Jon…you don’t have to do that,” she said, giving him a sad smile, taking a few steps closer.

 

“Do what,” he asked, trying to act casual.

 

“Act all brave and tough. I can see you’re hurting.” She moved until she was sitting right next to him on the front porch steps.

 

“What are you talking about, I’m fine,” he said, errantly waving his hand.

 

“Jonathan,” she said, softly. “Talk to me.”

 

All at once, the mask dropped. He felt scared and vulnerable and lost. Jon also knew that he could be honest with Melissa. He didn’t quite know what to say to Jordan…but here, in this moment, he could be honest.

 

“He’s awake.” New tears gathered at the corners of Jon’s eyes as he said the simple words. “He’s still weak and tired, but he’s still Jordan, you know? It’s everything we were hoping for.”

 

“That’s great news,” Melissa said, giving him a said smile. Hearing that Jordan was awake was wonderful, and she would certainly spend most of the day with her boyfriend. But after just waking up, Melissa knew that Jordan would need to spend some time with Dave. She would check in within him soon.

 

At that moment, Jon was the one who needed her attention more. Without hesitation, Melissa took Jon’s hand. “How are you?”

 

“Seriously? You too? Jordan’s the one that was basically in a coma, why is everybody asking about me?”

 

“Because we love you, Jon. We’re worried about you.”

 

“Well, Jordan’s the one that’s sick. You should be worrying about him right now, not me.”

 

“Jonathan, I’m very gifted, I can worry about more than one Kent man at a time,” she said, nudging him slightly. “I went to college, you know.”

 

Jon cracked a smile. “That does sound familiar.”

 

“So, you wanna talk about what happened?”

 

Jonathan was silent for a moment, trying to figure out exactly what to say. “Ever since I learned that Jordan was hurt, all I wanted was to have a conversation with him and apologize to his face about the stupid fight that we had. But when he actually started talking…all he could do was ask how I was doing.” Melissa squeezed Jon’s hand, showing support. “And I immediately felt so insanely guilty. I was the jerk, Jordan got hurt, is attached to a million tubes and wires and he’s still asking about me.”

 

“Jon, you have nothing to feel guilty for,” Melissa said, moving her hand to Jon’s shoulder. “You guys are brothers, you fight, it’s natural. What happened to him was not your fault.”

 

“That’s what Beth said yesterday, and I get that, I do. But I just feel…man, this is so stupid,” Jon said, dropping his head into his hand once again.

 

“It’s not stupid, Jon, I promise. It’s a confusing situation for all of us and being his twin brother means it’s only natural that it’s complicated for you too.”

 

“You know, I think some part of me felt that giving blood to Jordan would make me feel better. Even though it made me uncomfortable if I could do this one good thing for him, maybe it would even out the playing field a little, you know, make me half the person he is. But then I also thought what if my blood isn’t good enough, what if it doesn’t help or makes things worse and all that guilt and worry was so consuming that I had to get out of there. Sorry, I know this probably doesn’t make any sense” 

 

Jon wiped away the tears again and took a few deep breaths, trying to regain his composure. Melissa rubbed his back a few times before speaking again.

 

“Jonathan, let me tell you what I know. Jordan Kent is a lot of things: superhero, video game fanatic…a great kisser.” Jon rolled his eyes at that one. “But I also know how Jordan feels about you. Jon, he loves you. He would do anything for you. The only reason he’s so protective is because you’ve always been there for him and he can’t imagine his life without you.”

 

“Okay, yeah, that’s a nice sentiment.”

 

“Now, let me tell you what else I know. You, Jonathan Kent, despite all of your differences, are very similar to Jordan. You’re selfless, kind, hardworking, family oriented.” Melissa paused for a moment and gave Jon a sly smirk. “And I bet if I talk to this Charlotte girl, she’d say you’re a pretty good kisser too.”

 

Jon couldn’t hold back a laugh. “Gosh I hope so.” The friends enjoyed the lighthearted moment, knowing they both needed it. When the laughter finally died down, Melissa finished what she was saying.

 

“Another thing I know about you is that you love Jordan just as much as he loves you. But as similar as you are, you are also different. You guys don’t have the same paths, and that’s okay. Jordan’s is being a superhero/small town farmer. Yours is teaching and being a football coach. Yes, sometimes those different paths will separate you a little. It’s okay to want your space,” Melissa made sure to emphasize that part. “Not wanting Jordan hovering over your shoulder all the time doesn’t make you a bad brother. It’s a natural reaction.”

 

One of the best things about Melissa was that she was damn smart. She didn’t have to be the center of attention and she didn’t like going out in big crowds. But when she cared about you, she knew just what to say. Jon let out another deep breath. “So what do I do now?”

 

Melissa laid her head on Jon’s shoulder. “Now, you forgive yourself for wanting to have your own life and go back in there and tell that brother of yours how much you love him.”

 

Jon nodded tearfully and pulled Melissa in for a hug, knowing that she was right, and that he was grateful for her presence. After their talk, Jon was finally letting himself off the hook a little. The combination of the guilt and seeing Jordan hooked up to so many machines had really taken a toll on Jon, but he would deal with it.

 

Talking with Melissa had been a good reminder of what was really important. Jon still had some complicated feelings about the whole thing, and was definitely a little nervous to talk to Jordan, but he also needed it; they both did.

 

Jon offered her a hand and helped her stand up. But before they went back inside, Jon had one more thing he needed to say. “Hey, Mel, you’re going to make a great sister one day.” A large smile filled her face. And because the moment seemed to call for it, Jon hugged her again, thankful she was there.

Chapter 33: Letting Go

Summary:

Jon has talked to several people about his emotions, but he finally gets to talk to the one person he's been avoiding, but also needs the most...Jordan.

Chapter Text

Melissa and Jon walked back toward the medical wing. When they arrived, Lois, Clark, Natalie, Beth and Dave were all present, surrounding Jordan’s bed. 

 

Melissa may have been there for Jon when he needed her, but the moment they entered the room, she only had eyes for one person. “Jordan! Oh my gosh, are you okay,” she exclaimed, rushing up to his bedside.

 

He gave Melissa a tired smile and grasped her hand. “I’ll be fine.”

 

“I was so worried. You weren’t moving and you were really pale…it was awful.”

 

“I’m sorry you had to see that. But I’ll be back to normal in no time.” Not caring about the audience they had, Melissa leaned forward and softly kissed Jordan. Then, in typical Jordan fashion, he had the perfect response. “Wow, suddenly I’m feeling a lot better.” The comment prompted a round of laughter from everyone in the room.

 

“How’s he looking, Doc,” Melissa asked, turning to Dave who had Jordan’s chart in his hand.

 

“Much better,” Dave answered with a warm smile. “His numbers are up, heartbeat is stronger… lots of good things.”

 

“Your color has improved too,” Melissa said, turning back to Jordan, running a hand through his messy curls.

 

“True, but we’re not out of the woods yet, there’s still a little ways to go,” Dave said, placing the chart on the end table, wanting to be realistic. But knowing how much the Kent’s had been through in the past 24 hours, he also knew positivity was important for them as well. “However, we’ve made some significant progress that I am quite pleased with.”

 

“Looks like Jon really saved the day,” said Lois, giving her son a fond grin from across the room.

 

Jon blushed, hating all the attention and grateful looks from his family. “It’s really no big deal. Actually,” Jon said, making sure to speak up before anyone else tried to throw him back in the spotlight. “Guys, I was wondering if I could talk to my brother for just a minute?”

 

No one really knew what to say, since it was obvious Jon wasn’t just looking for a friendly, brotherly chat. But Dave spoke up, hoping to save them all from too much awkwardness. “Of course, Jon. I think you both have earned it.”

 

Following Dave’s cue, the rest of Jordan’s visitors filed out, anxious to give the brothers the time together they so desperately needed. But as soon as they were alone, neither one quite knew what to say, so Jon just stood there awkwardly for a moment, shifting from one foot to the other.

 

“You can come a little closer,” Jordan said, breaking the silence. Jon took about two steps and then stopped. “Wow. This is a good talk we're having,” Jordan said, rolling his eyes.

 

Jon chuckled and realized how ridiculous he was being. This was Jordan for crying out loud. His literal twin who he had been through everything with. “How are you feeling,” asked Jon, moving a little closer.

 

“Been better,” he answered with a shrug. “But according to Doc I was a lot worse last night.”

 

“Yeah. Last night was…an experience I don’t care to repeat any time soon.”

 

“So, I guess that means I owe you the world’s biggest thank you,” Jordan said, hoping he could goad his brother into telling him what the real problem was.

 

“Dude, no. You don’t owe me anything–”

 

“Yes, Jon, I do. Doc said that if you hadn’t given me that blood last night that I…might not be here. So the least you can do is let me say thank you.”

 

“I don’t want your thanks.”

 

“Then what the hell do you want?”

 

“I don’t know,” exclaimed Jon. “I just don’t know,” he said, sitting on the edge of the bed.

 

Jordan couldn’t get too close because of the wires he was still attached to, but he sat up as far as he could, trying to get near his brother. “Jon. Something’s wrong with you,” the brunette twin said quietly, and very matter of fact.

 

“What makes you say that,” Jon said, wiping away a few errant tears that threatened to escape.

 

“Because I know you, better than anyone else in the whole world. And something’s wrong…something you’re not talking about.” When Jon didn’t answer, Jordan tried guessing. “Is it because I was hurt? Bro, I’m sure it was scary, but I promise you, I’ll be fine.”

 

Jon shrugged, trying to find the words.

 

“Was it having to donate blood, all this medical stuff,” Jordan asked, trying to figure out what was causing the strange behavior in his brother.

 

“I mean it wasn’t great,” Jon replied, not really answering the question.

 

“Then what? Come on man…I’m getting worried about you,” Jordan said, wondering what else he could say to get Jon to open up.

 

After a few agonizing moments of silence, Jon started talking, softly and slowly. “Do you realize that less than 24 hours ago I was coaching a football game?”

 

“Well…yeah, I knew you had a game yesterday.” Jordan furrowed his brows, unsure where the conversation was going.

 

“And earlier in the day I was teaching students, talking with community members and spending time with…Charlotte.” Jordan got the feeling that they were approaching the sensitive topic. “Then I come here and donate blood to my half alien brother. And I’m the only one that can because I’m…also a half alien,” Jon said, falling to a whisper in the last few words.

 

“What’s your point, Jon,” Jordan asked, wishing desperately that he wasn’t attached to all the tubes and wires so he could be closer to Jon.

 

“It’s like I have these two separate lives. One that’s normal which everyone sees and another that’s more secretive and…alien. It hasn’t bothered me in a while. But with the way my life has been going lately…and then having to come here…”

 

“What are you getting at?”

 

“Do you think I’m good enough for Charlotte,” Jon finally asked in a haggard whisper, turning to his brother.

 

“How can you say that,” Jordan asked instantly. “Of course you are.”

 

“But how can I even think of dragging her into all this craziness.  It’s not fair to put these responsibilities on her and I can’t very well lie to her for the rest of our lives,” he explained with a shake of his head. “She deserves somebody normal who doesn’t have to leave in the middle of a party because of some crisis. And as much as I try to have a regular life…I won’t ever be able to make that promise.”

 

“Jon, come here.” His brother gave a strange look. “I can’t reach you because of all these damn wires, so get over here.” Jon moved a little closer and immediately, Jordan wrapped an arm around his brother’s shoulder, ignoring the tension from the different tubes and wires. “So all this came about because you had to leave in the middle of a party last night,” asked Jordan, trying to understand.

 

“It reminded me of everything I would be putting Charlotte through if I keep going out with her,” Jon explained, the sadness evident in his voice. “When Nat came and got me she lied to Charlotte and said that I wasn’t feeling well, which is why we had to leave.”

 

“Well, that’s good right? Natalie was there and she had your back?”

 

“But it was still a lie, Jordan. And I was so messed up by what Nat told me about you that I wasn’t able to explain…you know what I told Charlotte less than ten minutes before Nat walked in? I told Charlotte that I loved her.”

 

“Wait, you did, that’s awesome man,” Jordan said, breaking into a smile, giving his brother’s shoulder an affectionate squeeze.

 

Jon blushed and gave a casual shrug. “Well, I meant it.”

 

“I’m happy for you, Jon. You deserve it.”

 

“But is it even worth continuing the relationship if I can’t promise her a normal–”

 

“No, dude, no. You can’t think that way.”

 

“Jordan, I literally told her that I loved her and then ran off because of family problems.”

 

“In your defense,” Jordan said, holding up a hand, “you had just found out that your twin brother was majorly hurt, so no one can really blame you for that reaction.”

 

“But that’s the problem,” Jon said, throwing his hands up in frustration. “No matter how crazy the situation, I’m always going to pick our family first. Every time. How can I even think of bringing Charlotte into this world,” he asked, tears gathering at the corners of his eyes. The agony and desperation was evident on his face.

 

“Here’s the thing,” Jordan said, taking the time to pass on some wisdom to his brother. “When it’s the right person, they become as important as the rest of the family. Is it a lot to handle? Yes, of course, but that’s the risk you take for someone you love.”

 

Jordan kept his voice calm and smooth, hoping to get through to his brother. “It’s still early in your relationship to be thinking about taking that leap, and I get that it’s scary to think about opening up to someone like that. But you obviously really care about this girl, don’t throw away everything just because you’re worried about what might happen.”

 

“She’s nice, kind, funny with a heart of gold,” Jon said, a faint smile crossing his lips. “I don’t want to hurt her.”

 

“But if you end the relationship before you really give it a chance, that’s not fair to either one of you,” said Jordan, trying to help Jon see logic.

 

Jonathan was silent for a moment as he contemplated his brother’s words. Jordan was making a lot of sense, as he usually did. But this whole kryptonite incident had been a big wakeup call that had really freaked Jon out. The idea of losing his brother had been terrifying which made Jon a little crazy, and overthinking things. “Have I ever mentioned I hate it when you’re right,” Jon mumbled, giving his brother a sly glance.

 

“Quite often,” Jordan said, nudging his brother’s shoulder. “You gonna be okay?”

 

“Yeah, I will,” Jon said, brushing away the last of his tears. “I’m sorry I got so worked up.”

 

“It’s okay, man.” Jordan gave his brother a side hug, letting him know he was still there. “You really care about her and this whole situation has probably been pretty overwhelming for you. It makes sense that you were a little emotional.”

 

“You could say that. Thanks for talking me off the edge, man. Seriously, I kind of lost it there for a minute.”

 

Jordan studied his brother once again. Jon had just claimed that everything was okay, and yet, he was doing that thing where he pasted a fake smile on face and avoided eye contact. Jonathan wasn’t alright yet, not by a long shot. “I’m always here. So you gonna tell me what else is bothering you,” Jordan asked, without hesitation.

 

As nervous as Jon was to bring up what else he was feeling, he knew they didn’t have a lot of time alone, so he took the plunge. “You…were really sick, man, and that scared me a lot. And thinking about if something would’ve happened…if you would have…” Jon looked down, struggling to continue. “Then I just kept thinking about that stupid fight we had and what it would feel like if I never got to apologize in person.”

 

Jordan’s heart broke for his brother and how much he had been going through. “Jon, another apology is really not necessary, but if it would make you feel better. I’m right here.”

 

Ignoring the latest tears that had formed, Jon turned back to his brother. “Jordan, I’m sorry that we fought and that I said I don’t want you around as much. That’s obviously not true and I don’t know what I was thinking.”

 

“Thanks for apologizing, man, I appreciate it,” said Jordan. “But you’re also right.  You have your own life and that’s okay. I shouldn’t expect that we’re going to be attached at the hip anymore.”

 

“You mean like we used to be,” Jon said with a smirk. “Does the first day of preschool ring a bell?”

 

“Dude, I would have been fine if we were in separate classes but I just thought Mrs. Moorefield was too mean.”

 

“Mm-hmm. Sure,” Jon said, rolling his eyes.

 

“Actually, if we’re going to go down that road, who was it that insisted that we be desk partners in second grade, even though it messed up the whole seating arrangement,” Jordan asked with a knowing smile.

 

“I…don’t recall,” said Jon evasively, even though the story was quite familiar.

 

“Oh, really?”

 

Within seconds the boys were laughing and telling stories, trying to embarrass one another, which didn’t really go very well because they each knew the stories and weren’t affected.

 

“Well, now this is a pleasant sight,” Dave said, sporting a big grin. He had heard the laughter from the hall and figured things were going well enough that he could come back in. “Sounds like you boys had a good talk.”

 

“We did,” they said in unison, resulting in another smile from Dave.

 

“Well, I’m glad to hear it,” Dave said, grabbing Jordan’s chart. “Now that you guys have had your talk, I think I know of a certain Kent boy who could use a checkup.”

 

Jordan and Jon exchanged a pensive look before talking in sync once again. “Which one?”

 

This time Dave had to really work to hold back the smile, which is usually what happened when the boys slipped back into their ‘twin habits’.

 

“How about both of you,” he said, catching them by surprise. And being the close twins they were, started whining at the same time.

 

“Yeah, yeah, keep talking,” Dave said, putting aside the chart and grabbing his stethoscope. “Alright Jordan, why don’t you lie back so I can hear you breathe. And Jonathan, don’t go too far, because I meant what I said, you’re next.”

 

“Looks like we’re doing this together,” Jordan said, giving Jon a small grin.

 

“Yep. The way it should be,” Jon said, pulling his twin in for a hug. Even though they had been lying near each other for most of the night, it was nothing compared to this moment. Their synchronicity, their connection and their unbreakable love was still very much intact. No matter how high Jordan soared or how much independence Jonathan craved, they always seemed to find their way back into each other’s arms.

Chapter 34: Back to Work

Summary:

After a long weekend of watching over Jordan, Jonathan is glad to finally be heading back to work. Unfortunately, things may not be going as well as Jon is implying...

Chapter Text

After a weekend of being surrounded by medical equipment and the concerned faces of his family, for Jonathan Kent, there was something so wonderfully normal about walking into school that Monday morning.

 

The building hadn’t changed or anything, students were still lining the hallways, flirting with their crushes or getting homework assignments done that were most likely due that morning. But for Jon, it was like he had a whole new lease on life and he wasn’t taking any of it for granted.

 

Jon never thought he would be so glad to be back in a school building, but he was. As he made the walk down to his classroom, Jon couldn’t help but be flooded with memories from that weekend.

 

Once Jordan had woken up Saturday morning, morale improved overall. Things still weren’t perfect, but seeing Jordan’s eyes open definitely helped everyone to relax a little more. 

 

The situation they were dealing with was largely unprecedented, since Jordan had never been hurt so badly before, but Dave was handling it well and not taking any chances.

 

All the tests he had done a few years ago had really come in handy. The results helped Dave to determine what they needed to do to get Jordan back on track. Clark had taken Dave to see Lara a few times and with the scans she was able to do on Jordan’s blood, they had even more answers. Long story short, the blood that Jon had donated saved Jordan’s life. Without it, the effects of the kryptonite would have been too much and he would have died within a few days.

 

But because of Jon’s sacrifice, Jordan’s body was able to rejuvenate itself and grow stronger. Granted, several hours in the sun each day also helped, once he was feeling a little better. But Jordan wouldn’t have had the energy to even go outside without Jon’s gift.

 

Throughout the weekend, everyone took turns sitting by Jordan’s bedside and talking with him. But knowing that he wouldn’t want to be overcrowded they all made sure to give him his space as well. Most of the time Jordan had no problem talking with his parents, or Natalie. He just made them promise to talk about things other than him sometimes, which they were happy to do if it meant getting to spend time with him.

 

After a few hours in the sun, Clark had completely recovered from his bout with Kryptonite. But even though he was feeling better, it was still incredibly hard to be around Jordan, knowing how much his son had been through.

 

It was a good thing Lois was there. Clark leaned on her for emotional support when he felt guilty that Jordan was even in that situation in the first place. Plus, being able to hold her hand and give her hugs was a reminder that things would be alright and no one was alone in this situation.

 

But without a doubt, Jordan’s most frequent visitors were Melissa and Jonathan. Jordan meant so much to both of them that neither was jealous of the other having their time with him. As long as somebody was watching to make sure Jordan was okay, then things were good all around.

 

Very quickly they settled into a routine that would last the next few days. When Jordan was in his bed in the medical wing, Melissa would stay on one side and Jon on the other. Anyone else that wanted to visit stayed at the foot of his bed a majority of the time. If Jordan wanted to get up and walk around a little, Jon or Clark were always there if he needed an extra hand or was feeling a little unsteady. 

 

When Dave had to run any sort of test or do a quick checkup on Jordan, Melissa always stepped out, willing to give her boyfriend some privacy. Plus, it was still a little hard for her to see him so vulnerable.

 

She had no problem waiting patiently with the other members of the Kent family for whatever the latest update was. Everyone knew that it was important to let Dave be thorough and were perfectly happy to follow his lead when deciding what Jordan needed.

 

The exception to that ‘waiting in the hall’ rule, however, was Jonathan. No matter what was going on or what Dave was doing, Jon was almost consistently around his brother. He didn’t always have to be right next to Jordan, sometimes just being in the same room was enough. But whether it was morning, noon or night, once Jordan woke up, Jon made it his personal mission to continuously keep a close eye on his twin.

 

Especially during the medical stuff.

 

Not that it was easy. In fact, it was rather difficult for Jonathan to watch Dave tend to Jordan.

 

For years, Jordan had been the strong, nearly invincible one and it was always tough for Jon to see his brother during those rare moments when he was in pain or feeling weak.

 

But it was more than that.

 

 Jon had always struggled when things were going wrong with his twin. Even though Jordan was a few minutes older, Jon still felt like it was his job to be the protector. It had been his personal mission ever since they were little kids. Back then, Jon had always been ready to jump in if Jordan was getting made fun of or bullied at school.

 

But as they got older and Jordan discovered his powers, the roles shifted a little bit. Jordan was no longer the weak one, or needed Jon to fight his battles anymore; he could finally take care of himself.

 

These days, there wasn’t a lot Jon could do to physically protect his twin from danger; since Jordan was basically invincible. So Jon did what he could to be there for his brother mentally and emotionally. It wasn’t quite the same thing as protecting him from a bully like when they were kids, but Jordan and Jon had learned to roll with the punches.

 

Spending the weekend at Dave and Beth’s house was kind of eye opening for both twins. Jordan realized exactly what it felt like to be hovered over and why it had bothered his brother so much. And Jon realized that no matter how much he tried to live a normal life, when it came to his family, especially Jordan. There was nothing he wouldn’t do.

 

Even supervising when Dave was checking over Jordan.

 

They all trusted Dave, of course. The man had never done anything to take advantage of the situation or mistreat either of the boys in any way. If anything, he was always willing to go above and beyond to make sure they were safe and well taken care of.

 

When he had wanted to run the tests on the boys a few years ago, he was met with some resistance, especially from Jon. But when Dave explained a little more behind his intentions, they quickly realized he just wanted to provide the boys with the best care possible. And it was lucky they had allowed it, his findings about the nutrients the boys needed, what the white and red blood cell count levels needed to be at and other things had been instrumental the past weekend in taking the steps to get Jordan back to normal.

 

It was hard for Jon to watch Dave draw blood from his brother and change the bandages on his wounds; but he wasn’t leaving either.

 

Even though everyone said Jon had no reason to feel guilty about the fight and that the situation was not his fault, Jon had his doubts. Spending time with Jordan had been helpful, but Jon still felt like he had a way to go in making things up to his brother, even though Jordan didn’t feel that way and had already forgiven Jon.

 

Plus, the talk they had on Saturday morning proved to be very beneficial to the both of them. The boys were finally on the same team and back in sync. It was like sliding back to the sense of normal they had known their whole lives.

 

But for the women in the house, their interactions were simply adorable.

 

Every time Jordan moved, or needed even the smallest thing, Jon was there, ready to assist his brother in any way that was necessary. When Jordan cleared his throat, Jon was offering him a bottle of water. Another time, Jordan’s eyelashes fluttered a couple of times and Jon told everyone they needed to clear out so he could get some rest.

 

On and on it went with Jon being supportive and aware of his brother’s needs, sometimes before Jordan even knew what he needed.

 

Without a doubt, the new favorite story about the boys to come out of that weekend (apart from them falling asleep next to each other of course) was what happened when Dave talked to Jordan about trying some food for the first time.

 

It had been Saturday night and Dave wanted Jordan to try eating a decent meal. He hadn’t wanted to push it any earlier so as not to overwhelm Jordan’s system. But by evening, he figured it would be good to give some real food a try. Dave had asked Jordan what he wanted Beth to make and told him to aim for his favorite comfort food.

 

Jordan had opened his mouth to address Dave’s question, but before he could, Jon answered instead. Without even blinking or hesitating Jon had said, “He wants spaghetti and meatballs with extra parmesan cheese, two garlic breadsticks, corn with three shakes of pepper and a tall glass of milk.”

 

Everyone had looked at Jon with their mouths agape. He quickly apologized for overstepping and speaking for Jordan. But the situation got really interesting when Jordan had shaken his head in disbelief and said, “It’s fine, that’s exactly what I was going to say.”

 

The whole room erupted with laughter as Beth left to begin preparing the meal that Jonathan had requested for his brother.

 

There were jokes of course, with Natalie and Melissa asking Jon if he could read anyone’s mind or if the trick only applied with food. Jon took the jokes in stride. After all, the situation had been pretty funny.

 

Plus, everyone knew the answer anyway: it wasn’t some party trick, or unseen superpower, Jon just knew his brother that well.

 

By Sunday morning things appeared to be going much better, so Natalie left, but requested that Jordan come visit her soon. Jordan still had a little ways to go before he was back to normal and Natalie understood that. But she was still looking forward to seeing Jordan again soon.

 

After the long weekend, Jordan appeared to be making some major improvements and everyone was finally in good spirits, which is why it was a real blow when Dave delivered some bad news. He had asked to see Jon on the front porch so they could talk in private. Knowing Jon would immediately be suspicious, Dave didn’t hold back or try to sugar coat the situation.

 

“Earlier this morning when I took a blood sample from Jordan, the initial tests showed some concerning information. So I asked your dad to take me to the Fortress so Lara could run some more in depth scans, which confirmed my suspicions.”

 

“What did she say?”

 

“The science behind it is confusing, but basically the sun isn’t healing Jordan internally the way we would have hoped.”

 

“So…he needs more blood.”

 

“He needs more blood.”

 

As much as Jon had hated the entire process of donating blood, there was no way he was going to deny Jordan what he needed, especially when Jon was the only one who could do it. When they filled everyone else in, Jordan of course, tried to say that it wasn’t necessary, that he would be fine. 

 

But the scans didn’t lie and Jon knew what he needed to do.

 

~~~~~

 

Jon turned his key and opened his classroom door, once again, thrilled to have the sense of normalcy after the crazy weekend. But the truth was, Jon wouldn’t have changed his actions for the world. Jordan had been majorly injured and there’s no way the twins were going to be separated with something like that.

 

Jonathan was always going to be there for Jordan and do anything he could to help him, whether it was getting his brother a glass of water, making him laugh or knowing when he wasn’t feeling good. All of Jonathan’s life, putting Jordan first was always number one even if it meant that Jon’s own health was put in jeopardy…

 

Jon flexed his arm where the bandaid was still resting at the crook of his elbow. Only Dave knew the full details of what Jon had done for his brother, but it didn’t matter. Jon was looking for accolades or attention or anything like that, he just did what had to be done.

 

Of course, if his parents or Jordan found out they would probably be mad and worried. Actually, they probably would have been so concerned that they would have insisted that Jon stay home from work that Monday.

 

But as Jon had told Dave, he was fine and his family, especially Jordan, didn’t need to know all the details of what Jon did. What mattered was that Jordan was getting better. Everything else they could deal with later

 

Jon walked towards his desk and a weird feeling came over him. Suddenly, he felt clammy, in a daze, and a little dizzy. Jon shook his head slightly, maybe he wasn’t doing as well as he had claimed…but it didn’t matter, because Jordan was okay.

Chapter 35: Pushing Through

Summary:

Back at school after his long weekend, Jon tries to convince himself that he is fine. But is that really just another lie?

Notes:

Hey all,

Thanks so much for reading this story. It has been so much fun to write and been quite the journey. You might have noticed, I officially put up what the actual number of chapters will be for this story. I have it all pretty mapped out and hoping to stick to it.

Thanks again everyone for reading and commenting as always :)

Chapter Text

Jonathan Kent was fine.

 

At least that’s what he kept telling himself all morning and to anyone who asked if everything was okay after he left the party Friday night. Just that morning alone he had several students and football players ask him that very question.

 

The result was always the same: Jon pasted a fake smile on his face and said that everything was fine. He had just been feeling a little under the weather and his friend had gotten overprotective. Nobody needed to know that Natalie was actually his sister, which would lead to more questions Jon didn’t want to answer.

 

After the initial confirmation that things were fine, most people moved on. But a few, like Devin Lassiter, who always seemed to be concerned about Jon, were not convinced of the story. Devin approached Jon after the 10: 00 AM science class. “Hey, Coach, do you have a minute?”

 

“Sure, Devin, but don’t you have another class,” asked Jon as he walked over to the whiteboard.

 

“Yeah, but it’s just P.E. I can be a little late.” Devin was obviously in no hurry to leave.

 

“If you say so,” said Jon with an absent shrug. He picked up the eraser and began clearing off the notes from his previous class. “So, what did you want to talk about?”

 

“Okay…well…um…I don’t mean to overstep or anything, Coach, but are you okay?”

 

Jon stiffened. The way Devin asked the question was much different than anyone else. He wasn’t being polite as most of the teachers had been, or even curious like the other students. There was genuine concern in the young man’s voice, meaning he would be a harder sell than the other people who had asked.

 

“I’m fine,” Jon answered as he finished erasing the board. As he suspected, Devin wasn’t satisfied with the simple answer.

 

“Are you sure? Because after the way you left at the party on Friday and then based on how you seem today…”

 

“How do I seem today?” Jon walked back to his desk and sat in the comfy office chair.

 

“You just seem a little different, more tired and pale I guess. I really don’t mean to overstep, Coach. I’m sorry if I–”

 

“You can relax, Devin. You’re not overstepping.” Clearly Jon was going to have to give this young man some sort of substantial answer before he actually believed Jon’s claims. “To be honest, I wasn’t feeling real great on Friday, but I took it easy this weekend and am doing a lot better. Maybe I should have stayed home, but I was feeling good enough to come into school today, so I did.”

 

The plan worked. After hearing Jon give an honest answer, Devin was finally able to relax a little. “Good, I’m glad you’re okay.”

 

“Is there something else on your mind,” Jon asked, noticing the pensive look on Devin’s face.

 

“Not really, it’s just…” Devin paused trying to find the right words. “I’m not used to having a teacher or a coach take interest in me the way you have. So when you left the party on Friday…I don’t know, I guess I just got worried. You said that I could introduce you to my mom. But when you left I thought you didn’t care. Then I found out what happened and I felt bad for worrying about myself…never mind, this is stupid.” Devin turned to leave the classroom.

 

“Hold on, Lassiter, come back. This conversation isn’t over.” Unable to defy his coach, Devin walked back into the room. “First, of all, I think you’re a great student and amazing football player. But I’m not turning my back on you. I have a lot of great football players that I coach, so sometimes different people need my attention. But I will always be there if you need anything. All you have to do is ask.”

 

Devin nodded, appreciating that his coach really was taking the time to make sure things were okay. As he had said, no teacher had ever really done that for him before.

 

“Second of all, I’m sorry that I had to leave the party early a few days ago. I would love to meet your mom so I can tell her what a wonderful son she has.” Devin blushed a little at that one, but let Jon continue. “Finally, you don’t have to worry about me. I’m feeling much better. Actually, I’m feeling good enough that I have a great big workout for you guys planned during practice today.”

 

“Aww, Coach,” Devin whined. “But we won the game on Friday. Shouldn’t that mean we get, like, a really easy day?”

 

“Nope, not in my book. There’s plenty of room for improvement.”

 

“Alright, fair enough,” Devin conceded. “Well, I better get to class before I get in trouble. Thanks for talking, Coach.”

 

“Anytime, Devin.”

 

~~~~~

 

A few hours later, Jon had settled into his usual spot in the teacher’s lounge for his lunch break. The rest of his morning had been fairly average, apart from the random check-ins from students who had seen him leave the after party early. After talking with Devin, Jon realized he was okay with the questions. It was nice to have people being concerned about him and was something that normal people did. And after the weekend he had, Jonathan Kent was ready for normal.

 

But, he was also logical. Jon knew that everything that happened that weekend had wreaked havoc on his emotions and if he was going to be in any condition to effectively teach his students, lead his football team to victory, or be a good boyfriend to Charlotte, he needed to make sure he had a good handle on his mental state.

 

The situation certainly wasn’t as bad as it could have been, but it had still brought a lot of emotions to the surface that needed to be dealt with; there was only one thing to do. Jon pulled out his phone and scrolled down for a while until he found the number he hadn’t used nearly enough in the past few years.

 

‘Hey, Beth, it’s Jon. Thanks so much for taking care of Jordan this past weekend. I was wondering if we could find some time to talk next week?’

 

Jon sent the text and let out a deep breath. He always felt a little weird reaching out to Beth and actually asking for help, especially when there were so many bigger problems in the world. But one of the things that Jon had learned from Beth: no matter how big or small the issue was, it was always okay to ask for help.

 

“Hey, Kent, I heard you came in today, how’s it going?”

 

Jon turned to find his friend, Marcus strolling towards the table. He was also Charlotte’s sister and could be fiercely protective over her.

 

“Hey man, I’m doing good. How about you?”

 

“Oh, I’m fine,” Marcus said, taking a seat next to his friend. He had brought a sack lunch and pulled out a cold sandwich and a bag of carrots. One thing Jon had learned from Charlotte, the Reynolds family had been raised predominantly on healthy food. So Jon wasn’t surprised to see what Marcus had brought for lunch. “Seriously though, is everything okay, you left pretty quick on Friday,” noted Marcus, immediately making it clear that like many of the other people at the school, he was also concerned about Jon.

 

Sticking to the story that he had been using all day, Jon confidently answered the question. “Oh yeah, I’m fine. I wasn’t feeling super great, but Natalie kind of overreacted. She can be an unmovable force when she wants something.” That part at least was true. “Then she insisted that I spend the whole weekend with her. We played Madden and talked about my truck. And I didn’t have to do any cooking.”

 

“Sisters, man,” Marcus said with a fond laugh. “There’s nothing like em’.” 

 

“For sure. Hey, did I ever tell you about the time when Natalie and I almost missed prom because we were working in the garage together?”

 

“What? No. Tell me.”

 

“Okay, so we were seventeen and Nat had this vintage…”

 

Jon easily allowed himself to get sucked into the classic story of how he and Natalie had been so into fixing up this classic car her dad had got her that they almost missed prom. It was a funny story that easily distracted Marcus from worrying about Jon. Plus, it was nice for Jon to think back on that simpler time.

 

The rest of the lunch period passed quickly as Jon and Marcus took turns entertaining one another with sibling stories. Before long, lunch was over and the guys were slapping each other on the back, heading off to their separate classrooms. But the moment Jon turned away from his friend, his smile dropped. He hated lying to Marcus, but Jon felt like he didn't really have another choice. There was no way he could say what really happened, so best bet was to make the situation appear normal, brush it off like no big deal, and hope everyone moved on quickly.

 

But as Jon entered his classroom, once again, that same, weird, dizzy feeling came over him. He placed a hand on a desk for extra support and took some deep breaths, hoping the weird feeling would go away.

 

It took longer than last time, but eventually the strange feeling subsided. He only had a few minutes before his next group of students came in. But he still needed a moment. So Jon took a seat at the desk, folded his arms, and dropped his head into them.

 

To the average person, it would have looked like he was napping. But really, Jon was taking deep breaths and hoped that his hands would stop shaking. 

 

This wasn’t supposed to be happening. He was supposed to come back to school for a normal day. But considering this was the second time he had felt dizzy in a few hours, Jon was forced to admit that maybe things weren’t as normal as he tried to pretend.

 

Jon was no idiot. He knew what had happened. But as crappy as he felt now, he wouldn’t have changed his choice for anything. 

 

Before Jon had left that weekend, he had taken a peak at Jordan’s chart when no one was looking. It wasn’t that he didn’t trust Dave, quite the opposite in fact; Dave was one of the people Jon trusted most in the world. But Jon wanted to see for himself exactly what they were dealing with.

 

Dave had done a good job of answering all their questions and giving out as many details as they wanted about Jordan’s condition. Thankfully, he seemed to be constantly improving. But despite all this good news, Jon couldn’t shake the feeling that things weren’t quite as they seemed.

 

And he was right.

 

Based on Jordan’s bloodwork, he was improving, yes, but the kryptonite had weakened Jordan’s body so much, getting healthy would be a long process for him.  One of the first things Dave had discovered when he had done his in depth testing on the boys a few years ago, there was a direct correlation with the length of kryptonite exposure and the how long it took to recover. And since Jordan had been exposed for a long time, this would be his most strenuous recovery ever.

 

Another thing they had learned, at least in this particular situation, the best thing to help Jordan: transfusions of Jon’s blood. The sun helped a little, of course, but nothing like the impact of Jon’s blood. And as much as he didn't want to, Jon knew exactly what that meant for him.

 

So when everyone had been out for dinner on Sunday, Jon had stayed back with his brother and Dave, claiming he just wanted to spend more time with Jordan. But after another long day, Jordan had quickly fallen asleep.

 

Jon used the opportunity to discuss his idea with Dave. Basically, he wanted to donate more blood to Jordan. Jon knew this idea would be met with resistance (it was) because the average person could only donate two pints at most. Then they had to wait several weeks before donating again, which Dave reminded Jon of. Then, Jonathan pointed out that he wasn’t the average person and that the rules were probably different for him. Dave quickly realized what Jon was suggesting and again, was immediately against it.

 

Jon knew it was going to be a bit of a fight to get Dave to see things his way, so he was prepared. Jon made sure to bring up the results from the tests Dave had done on them. One of the first things he had learned: as half Kryptonian’s, they weren’t as dependent on blood as regular humans.

 

They still needed it of course, but it explained why Jordan could get hurt in a fight and keep going. In this particular situation, Jon theorized that he would be able to donate more blood to Jordan than the average person.

 

Dave didn’t like it, that much was clear. However, he couldn’t deny that the evidence showed it might work. Plus, when Jon reminded him that so far, the transfusions had been the best thing for Jordan, Dave’s hands were basically tied. It was still risky, of course, because Jon had never officially tried donating twice the normal amount. But Dave wouldn’t have allowed the extra donation if he didn’t think it was safe. By the end of the conversation, Jon had convinced Dave to take two more pints.

 

Which was a grand total of four pints in two days.

 

Going to work that day, Jon had acted like everything was normal…that he was normal. But regular humans couldn’t donate that much blood and live through it. That fact alone was a painful reminder that as much as he might try to deny it, Jonathan Kent was not normal.

 

Jonathan had struggled with the idea of normalcy since he had first learned his father’s big secret when he and Jordan had been fourteen. It had been a journey of ups and downs but he had made a lot of progress, especially after the sessions with Beth. And everything that happened with Jordan, this was one instance where Jon was happy he wasn’t normal so he could save his brother.

 

That was the good news.

 

The bad news: something was wrong with Jonathan.

 

Even though Dave and Jon had done the calculations and double checked the science… something had still gone wrong. Jon sluggishly got up from the desk. Apparently, he had donated too much blood and was now feeling the effects. But what could he do? Go to Kyle the principal and say that he wasn’t feeling well because he had donated four pints of blood to his half kryptonian brother.

 

Obviously not.

 

There was only one option, Just suck it up, get through the rest of the day and call Dave when he got home.

 

~~~~~

 

By the time football practice rolled around, Jon was determined. No, he was beyond determined to prove to everyone on the field, in the stands, and to himself that he was fine. Jon had tried drinking extra water and eaten a few more snacks, which had helped, but he still felt a little shaky.

 

The stands were fuller than usual. After their big win on Friday it seemed as if the whole town was anxious to see how Coach Kent ran his practices and prepare for the game the coming Friday night.

 

As he ran the practice, Jon was very aware of his audience and the expectations on him and players. For the most part, things went well. The guys completed drills efficiently and with a high level of skill. After getting through the first game together, the coaching staff was fairly in sync as well, bonded from the experience.

 

The only downside, really, apart from the shakiness that Jon was still feeling, was the fact that Carson Dilin and his two buddies, Ryan Gleeson and Jay Smith, seemed determined to make Jon’s life hell. They gave him attitude, were unnecessarily rough on the younger players and barely gave any effort on the drills.

 

In the first week, Jon was alone in his choices to discipline those three, but after their actions at that particular practice, none of the coaches were on the boys side; they simply had been too distracting and disrespectful. But as difficult as the three delinquent players were, it was a relief for Jon to have the other coaches on his side; their loyalty was important to him.

 

As practice was wrapping up, the players were tired, the spectators in the stands restless, Jon’s hands were still shaky, and everyone knew that the only thing left was a couple of sprints to end the practice. Jon knew that everyone was anxious to get on with their day and thought of an idea that might boost team morale and get them through the dreaded sprints.

 

“Alright men, let’s head to the end zone,” Jon took off at a slow jog. Eventually the players followed, several of them exchanging looks. The last time their coach had done this it was pretty cool. The idea of having a coach that ran the sprints with you instead of just yelling from the sides was a new and interesting experience. “We’re gonna run five sprints, men. Let’s give it everything we got. Ready? Go!”

 

Like a bullet, Jon and his players took off toward the opposite endzone. At first, the moment was blissful–players and coach, running as one. But after about fifty yards, the dizziness Jon had been fighting all day finally caught up with him. He fell back, unable to keep up with the players and then he collapsed, the world around him fading to black.

Chapter 36: Convincing

Summary:

When Jon wakes up, he is trying his best to convince his friends and the principal that he is fine...something easier said than done.

Chapter Text

The world was dark around Jon. He couldn’t see anything, but heard voices calling his name.

 

After a moment he realized his eyes were closed. It took a lot of effort, but he opened them and took stock of the scene around him.

 

He was laying down on the football field, that much was obvious. He could feel the turf on his back and soon found himself squinting from the bright rays of the sun.

 

There was a group of people surrounding him. His friend Marcus was right next to him, along with the principal, Kyle, who was close by. A couple of players, Devin Lassiter and Chase Summers were hovering over him as well.

 

“Guys, he’s awake, let’s give him some space,” Kyle said, taking the lead. “Jon, it’s Kyle. Can you hear me?”

 

Jon nodded.

 

“That’s good," Kyle said, the feeling of relief obvious on his face. “You had us all scared there for a second, Jon. You passed out. Do you remember anything about that?”

 

Jon blinked a couple times, and thought back. His brain was still a little fuzzy, but he definitely remembered experiencing some weird feelings when they started the sprints.

 

“Started running…felt…strange,” Jon answered, his sentence a bit choppy as he worked to form each word.

 

“Sounds like you might have gotten a bit dehydrated and overheated,” Kyle said. He had been a basketball coach in his younger days and had taken a few classes on common sports related injuries. “Someone get me a bottle of water, one of those portable cooling fans and some way to put his feet up.”

 

“Got it,” Devin said without hesitation. Chase followed as well, both players eager to help the coach they had grown to respect so much.

 

“I’m…fine,” Jon insisted.

 

“Just, relax Jon,” Kyle said, keeping the situation under control.

 

Very quickly, Chase and Devin had rushed back over with the supplies their principal had asked for. “Good job guys,” Kyle said, appreciating the boys' quickness. 

 

Devin handed over a bottle of water and a bunch of towels. Chase had brought the portable fan.

 

Marcus gently helped Jon into a sitting position, so when Kyle offered Jon the water, he was able to drink it easier. Jon couldn’t deny that when he drank the cool water he did feel a little better.

 

“Thanks,” he said, taking the bottle from Kyle and drinking a few more sips.

 

Kyle placed Jon’s feet on the towels so that his legs were elevated, which was one of the first things to do for someone with heat exhaustion.

 

Chase had turned on the portable fan and had aimed the spray at the top of his coach's head, that way, it would cool him down, but not get too annoying.

 

“You’re color’s looking a little better,” Kyle said after a couple minutes. There was a thin sheen of cool water on Jon's face from the fan and he had been drinking a few more sips of water. The whole field had been silent, waiting anxiously to get an update on the young coach. “Hopefully soon we can get you moved to the trainer’s room.”

 

“What? No…no I’m fine,” Jon protested weakly.

 

“Jon, you are obviously not fine,” Marcus said. Jon was still leaning up against him, not quite sitting up on his own. “Can’t you just let us help you?”

 

“Really, I’m fi–”

 

“Jon, I’m sorry, I have to pull rank in this situation,” said Kyle. His normally lively eyes were more serious than Jon had ever seen. “This happened on school property so we have to follow the correct protocol. As soon as you are feeling up to it, we’re going to get you to the trainer, then go from there. This is non negotiable.”

 

Even though Jon thought everyone was overreacting just a bit, he knew better than to argue with his boss at a time like this. “Okay.” Jon glanced around until he found the faces of the two players that were hovering over him. “Did you guys finish your sprints?”

 

The players looked at each other nervously, but once again, Kyle stepped in. “Actually, Jon, I was thinking we should just call it a day and send the players home so we can get you taken care of.”

 

Jon sighed. Personally, he thought the players should finish their sprints. But he was quickly realizing that everyone was taking the situation pretty seriously and that he wasn’t going to win many arguments. “Alright fine, send em’ home.”

 

“Coach, are you sure you’re okay,” Devin asked, concern written all over his face. “You said everything was fine earlier, then you passed out. Do you need more water or anything?”

 

“It’s alright, Devin. I think I just got a little overheated and pushed myself too hard.” Jon turned and saw that his coaching buddy, Ted Kramer, was also there. “Hey Ted, why don’t you send everyone home and make sure the field gets cleaned up.”

 

“You got it, Jon,” Ted said, with a terse nod. Ted had really grown to respect Jon in the last week and was willing to do whatever the man wanted given his current situation.

 

Over the next few minutes, Kyle and Ted were consummate professionals as they cleared the field and the stands, telling everyone the same thing: Jon just got a bit overheated, but he would be fine.

 

Some of the players and parents wanted more information, but Kyle and Ted really didn’t have any. All they knew was the water seemed to be helping and thankfully, that Jon became more aware with each passing minute.

 

When everyone had cleared out, Ted and Kyle went back to the spot on the field where Jon was sitting with Marcus. Jon was sitting on his own now, and holding the fan, but his friend was hovering close by.

 

Jon had continued to sip the water, knowing that would help keep up the appearance of getting overheated, but he also turned his face up towards the sun a few times, knowing that in this particular situation, it would help him as well.

 

Did Jon have distinct powers like his brother? No. But being in the sun always made him feel good and in the past, had made him heal faster, which Jon hoped would happen in this situation as well. More than anything, he wanted to get home before people asked too many questions.

 

“So, how are we doing over here,” Kyle asked, as he reached Jon after clearing out all the other people.

 

“Good. Feeling better for sure. The water is helping.”

 

And the sun too, most likely, but Jon couldn’t say that.

 

“That’s good to hear,” Kyle said, a look of genuine relief on his face. “If you’re feeling up for it, we can try to get you back to the training room now.”

 

“Let’s do it,” Jon said, his face determined. He knew it was probably going to be a little while before they let him go, but the more he acted as if he was okay, the sooner those around him would be convinced. 

 

It’s not that Jon didn’t appreciate their assistance, he did, but the truth was none of his friends could really help him at that moment.

 

Sure, they could get him inside where it was cool, give him water and make him rest for a while, but none of them could actually give Jon what he needed most.

 

And what Jon needed…was Dave.

 

Jonathan had guessed for a while that they had made a miscalculation somewhere when deciding how much blood he could donate, and his body was reacting to its absence.

 

But being half Kryptonian, Jon just couldn't tell the average person what he was going through. Dave Miller had spent a lot of time studying the makeup of Jordan and Jonathan's blood. He had also spent several hours learning from Lara and her Kryptonian archives as well.

 

So if anyone was prepared to help Jon…it was Dave.

 

Which meant that Jon needed to humor his friends and boss, then get the hell out of there and get to Dave.

 

Marcus and Jon’s coach friend, Ted, offered assistance in getting Jon into the trainer’s room. When they walked in, Jon was feeling strong enough to hop onto the table by himself, though his friends hovered close by.

 

“Luke’s working with a couple of the girls on the volleyball team but he should be here in a few minutes,” Kyle said, checking a message from his phone. “Also, I grabbed a couple protein bars for you. I thought maybe something to eat might help.”

 

“Sure, thanks,” Jon said, taking the bars. He opened the first one and took a few small bites, knowing that it would appease those that were concerned about him.

 

“So you’re feeling a little better then,” Ted asked.

 

“Definitely, you can get out of here man, I’m sure you have other places to be,” Jon said, with what he hoped was a reassuring smile.

 

“Alright, take it easy, I’ll see you tomorrow,” Ted said, offering Jon a quick handshake before he left the room. There was definitely a look of apprehension on Ted’s face before he left, but he really did have a bunch of errands to run and he knew that there wasn’t much else he could do for his fellow coach.

 

Kyle and Marcus didn’t really say much, since they didn’t want to be too overwhelming, but it was as if they had a silent agreement to watch over Jon until Luke, the trainer, got there. A few minutes later when Jon had finished both of his protein bars, he broke the silence. “You know guys, I’m not going to explode.”

 

“Maybe not, but you did pass out earlier, so we’re just being cautious,” Kyle said. In addition to the protein bars, he had also grabbed a paper form to record the incident. Not that Jon had done anything wrong by any means, but there was still protocol to follow.

 

“Okay guys, yes, but I’m feeling better now,” Jon said, doing his best to appear composed, even though he was still a little shaky.

 

“That’s great to hear, Jon, but I still want Luke to take a look at you. He’s had a lot of experience with this kind of stuff.”

 

“I understand that but–”

 

“Well, Jon, we meet again,” Luke said, walking into the room. He sported a professional, calming smile, but there was worry in his eyes. “Kyle told me you passed out on the field.”

 

“Yeah, but only for a couple seconds,” Jon said, trying to brush the whole thing off like it was no big deal.

 

“It was longer than a couple of seconds,” Marcus said, crossing his arms. He understood that Jon didn’t want everyone to fuss over him, but what had happened was a big deal and they all wanted to make sure that Jon was actually okay.

 

“Well, you should probably lie down,” Luke said, taking a few steps toward Jon.

 

“I was lying down, outside, for a long time,” Jon said. He didn’t mean to be terse with the trainer, the guy was just doing his job. The problem was, Jon knew for a fact that he wasn’t experiencing heat exhaustion. But couldn’t say the real problem either (which was that he had donated more than the humanly possible amount of blood to his half-alien twin brother).

 

Luke wasn’t happy about it, but if Jon really had been lying down for a while then maybe he was okay to sit up. “Have you been drinking anything?”

 

“I’ve been drinking water and Kyle gave me a couple protein bars.”

 

“Okay, that’s good then. Marcus can you go grab a sports drink from the vending machine, something with lots of electrolytes, please?”

 

Marcus glanced down at his phone, and then looked up at the trainer. “Yeah, of course.” 

 

As his friend was leaving the room, Jon had to resist the urge to roll his eyes. He didn’t need a freaking sports drink, he needed Dave.

 

"Alright, while he's gone, let's get a cold cloth to put around your neck to make sure you stay cooled down.

 

Jon wanted to protest, but knew it wouldn't do much to sway the determined trainer. And, Jon was forced to admit to himself a few minutes later, the cold cloth did feel relaxing.

 

And when Marcus returned with the sports drink, he slipped his phone into his pocket. Marcus met his eyes again, and Jon figured he must be imagining the guilty look on his friend's face.

 

After being an athlete his whole life, Jon could appreciate a good sports drink, and this situation was no different, that is…until Luke started talking again.

 

"I want to look over a few things, but I gotta be honest Jon, I wanna get you to a doctor as soon as possible."

 

Jon paled. "What? Why?"

 

"Well, with passing out a few weeks ago–"

 

"That wasn't my fault, I got knocked out."

 

"I know, but still, that being unconscious twice in a couple weeks and I would just feel better if you went to a real physician."

 

"No way, this isn't that big of a deal."

 

"Actually, Jon," Kyle said with a sigh, "I'm inclined to agree with Luke. We need to get you to a doctor and get completely checked out."

 

Jon's heart dropped; he really didn't think they would push so hard. It didn't seem possible that things would get worse, but they did.

 

Before Jon could protest that he was fine and that he didn't need to see a doctor…Charlotte walked in.

 

"Oh, shit."





Chapter 37: Partial Truths

Summary:

Once Charlotte arrives, Jon hopes that he can get her on his side and get away from his concerned but uniformed friends.

Chapter Text

“Jon, are you okay?”

 

“Charlotte…” Jon said, his voice trailing off, as he took in the sight of his precious girlfriend. She was wearing a dress that day, a dark purple one, with a blazer over it. Her blonde hair was pulled up into a sophisticated looking twist; meaning her job at the foster care office had probably required her to appear in court that day.

 

She was gorgeous.

 

 As usual, Charlotte Reynolds appeared classy, sophisticated, and breathtakingly beautiful. And after the long weekend he had been through, Jon couldn’t be anything but grateful for her presence, even though it was a bit of a surprise.

 

“Babe… what are you doing here?”

 

“Marcus called me. I got here as fast as I could.”

 

Jon glanced over at his friend, who guiltily looked away before explaining his actions. “I know I probably should have told you before I called her, but come on man, she’s your girlfriend. She should be here.”

 

Marcus was right of course, but unfortunately Charlotte was just one more person who would make a fuss over him when he didn’t need it.

 

“I wasn’t trying to keep it from you, Char. I just didn’t want you to worry.”

 

“Jon…I love you. Of course I was going to worry.”

 

“Maybe…but you shouldn’t have to see me like this,” he said, gesturing to his damp and dirty polo shirt. There was a thin sheen of sweat covering his face and neck.

 

“Babe…I don’t care what you look like. I came to make sure you were okay.” Charlotte walked over to the padded table Jon was sitting on and took his hand. “And if you’re not okay, then I want to be here for you.”

 

Jon wanted to tell Charlotte it wasn’t necessary, that he would be fine, as was his usual routine when people got overly protective over him. But at that moment, the words didn’t come.

 

Instead, he just looked at her. Took in her presence and, for a brief moment, allowed himself to be so very grateful that he had someone in his life that really cared about him.

 

And because she knew him so well and what he needed, Charlotte leaned over and gave him the softest kiss. Then, she whispered. “It’s going to be alright.”

 

It was true. When Charlotte was around, she had a way of making everything better.

 

Knowing it was probably time to lighten the moment, Jon glanced over at Marcus. “Okay, man, so maybe I’m not totally angry with you for calling your sister.”

 

“Glad to hear it.” Everyone chuckled softly, the tension in the room fading slightly. 

 

Charlotte knew her role in the situation: she was supposed to play the dutiful, supportive girlfriend. She needed to be there for Jon, but not ask too many questions or get in the way. It was a job that she could do, and do well.

 

But there was another side of Charlotte that she was doing her best to keep hidden. The side that was utterly and completely terrified for Jon.

 

Sure, he had claimed to be fine and that Charlotte didn’t need to worry, but she didn’t buy it–not for a second.

 

A major part of her job was being observant in challenging or tricky situations. Oftentimes, her decisions were based on the things that she could sense in addition to the facts. And in this particular case, Charlotte’s senses were telling her that Jon was not nearly as okay as he was claiming to be.

 

He was more pale than she had ever seen and he just seemed a bit shaky. Jon also kept glancing around, as if he was an animal, trapped in a cage, which seemed strange. And in terms of her instincts, Charlotte felt that Jon just seemed off…guarded in a way.

 

The changes to his demeanor were subtle, but Charlotte knew her boyfriend well enough to understand that something was really, really wrong.

 

“Well, Jon,” said Kyle, breaking the comfortable silence. “If you’re feeling up to it, I think we should get you in to see one of the local doctors.”

 

The panic on Jon’s face was immediate. “No, really I–”

 

“Jon, please stop. You’re obviously not fine,” his boss said, holding up his hands in protest. “We talked about this. Losing consciousness twice in two weeks definitely warrants a check-up.”

 

Although he hadn’t known Kyle very long, Jon could tell that the principal was definitely not kidding around this time, which meant it would be tough for Jon to talk himself out of the situation.

 

And at this point, getting out of the situation was crucial for Jonathan.

 

He needed to get to Dave and figure out what had gone wrong with the blood donation the previous day and figure out why he was so dizzy. Only the family friend, Dr. Dave Miller, who had studied Jon and Jordan’s unique half Kryptonian blood for years could help him.

 

But it was clear that Kyle and Marcus would not be listening to reason, meaning that he had one chance. Just one chance to get out of there and get to Dave.

 

“Guys, can you give me a minute alone with Charlotte.”

 

The trainer, Luke, frowned at Jon’s request. “That’s not going to change our minds, Jon.”

 

“Please. Can I just have a few minutes with my girlfriend?”

 

Luke and Kyle exchanged a glance, like they knew that Jon was making a strategic move, trying to get Charlotte on his side. Marcus knew his sister well enough to understand that she was a big softy, especially with people she cared about. So if Jon made a good enough case, Charlotte would give him whatever he wanted.

 

“Char, maybe I should stay too–”

 

“Thanks big bro, but I can handle myself,” Charlotte said, casually dismissing her protective brother. “Jon’s my boyfriend and if he wants to talk for a few minutes I don’t see anything wrong with it.”

 

~~~~~

 

A short while later, when Luke, Kyle, and Marcus had all grudgingly left the room, Charlotte turned to her boyfriend, curious about why he wanted to see her alone.

 

“You okay, babe,” Charlotte said, hoping since they were alone, Jon would finally give her a real answer. She took his hand once again, showing her support.

 

“Char, I’m fine.”

 

“Jon–”

 

“Babe, I’m serious. I’m okay. I’ll admit, I should probably go home and take it easy for the rest of the evening. But I don’t need you guys to take me to a doctor.”

 

“Jon, you don’t need to be a tough guy in front of me. I just want the best for you and I want you to be okay. If you could just go to a doctor that would confirm everything is okay, I would feel a lot better about this whole situation.”

 

“I’m fine–”

 

“Babe, you don’t have to pretend, not with me, okay? I’m worried about you. From the moment I got here you’ve seemed really tense and shaky. You won’t look me in the eyes and I just…this whole thing is scaring me, Jon. And unless you can explain your behavior, I’m going to have to agree with everyone else.”

 

Okay, Jon had a couple of choices: keep protesting that he didn’t need to go to the doctor and hope somebody caved, or reveal a little of himself that he preferred to keep hidden, and hopefully get someone on his side. He decided to choose the latter.

 

“Listen Char…I gotta tell you something.” Jon ran his fingers through his hair. “This is really embarrassing…but…”

 

Charlotte squeezed Jon’s hand. “It’s okay, you can tell me anything. What’s going on?”

 

Jon let out a deep breath. “I have this… irrational fear…of doctors.” He registered the surprise on her face and hurriedly finished what he was saying. “I told you it’s embarrassing and stupid and I…I just really don’t like to talk about it. You probably think I’m an idiot right?”

 

“No, of course not,” Charlotte said, gently rubbing Jon’s hand. “I can see it’s hard for you to talk about…but is there anything else you can tell me? Maybe I can help.”

 

Jon shook his head. “No, there’s nothing you can do. I’ve been this way for a while. It’s my own thing. I’m pretty good at staying healthy so it isn’t usually a problem.”

 

“How long…have you felt this way,” Charlotte asked hesitantly.

 

“A while,” Jon admitted. “Early high school I guess. I know that it’s irrational, but there’s just something about an impersonal guy in a white lab coat, asking you questions, poking and prodding at you like you’re some kind of–”

 

Jon bit his lip. He hadn’t meant to be so honest with Charlotte, but some of Jon’s true feelings had slipped out. Was Jon actually scared of doctors? No. He was scared of being captured by some government scientist that was interested in doing experiments on a half alien.

 

But he couldn’t tell Charlotte any of that…not yet anyway.

 

So, he decided to tell her that he was scared of doctors in the hope that she would feel pity and help him get home.

 

“Jon…you do know that not all doctors are like that.” If Charlotte was surprised, she didn’t show it. “There are plenty of good ones out there. You just have to find the right one.”

 

“That’s the thing, I actually did find the right one, but he lives like six hours away, close to where I grew up.”

 

“Okay, well, that’s good, it you found one you like then maybe you can find another–”

 

“No!” Jon hadn’t meant to freak out. “I mean…uh…no that’s okay. I like the one that I have.”

 

“But babe, if he’s six hours away, then he can’t really help you from here,” Charlotte said, trying to be logical and sympathetic.

 

“I know he can’t, but Char…I can’t go to another doctor…I just can’t. It took me a long time to trust him and even now I still don’t like going to see him if I can help it.”

 

Charlotte was certainly surprised by Jon’s admission, but the fear in his eyes was real enough to convince her that he wasn’t joking around.

 

“I hear you babe, I do. But if you’re sick–”

 

“That’s the thing. I know exactly what happened.  I just didn’t eat enough today and let myself get too dehydrated. Then being in the sun…well it was probably just a little too much. I played football for years, believe me, I know all the signs. I guess I just wasn’t paying attention today.”

 

“So…you’re telling me that you don’t need to go to a doctor today.”

 

“Yes, exactly.”

 

“And you wanted to talk to me in private because you thought I could help you convince everyone else.”

 

Jon looked down sheepishly. She knew him so well. “Yeah, pretty much.”

 

Charlotte took in Jon’s appearance again. His color had improved and his hands weren’t as shaky. Plus, he seemed very aware of his surroundings and his eyes weren’t as hazy as when she had first arrived. Maybe he really was telling the truth?

 

As Charlotte was contemplating what Jon had said, she bit her lip, thinking, considering what course of action she should take.

 

“But it’s more than that,” Jon added. “I also didn’t want to have to tell everyone about this fear of mine. They would probably think it’s stupid and wouldn’t understand. But I knew that you would at least listen to me.”

 

“I hear you Jon, but you can’t use your fear as an excuse not to get help.”

 

“I know, which is why Natalie made me go see the very same doctor this weekend,” Jon said, adding a little more truth to his story. “Even though I said that I was fine, she ignored me and insisted on getting a clean bill of health from a professional and was willing to drive several hours to go see the doctor.”

 

“So, you’re saying you saw your doctor this past weekend.”

 

“Yep. And he said everything was fine, there was no lasting damage from being knocked out the other day. Meaning, that everything that is going on here today is just a fluke. So I need you, to help me convince the other guys to let me go home. Because like I told you...I just can't go see another doctor.”

 

“Let’s say I was inclined to help you,” Charlotte said, leaning closer to Jon. “Would you be willing to make a compromise?”

 

“What did you have in mind?”

 

~~~~~

 

“Sis, no way, you can’t be serious,” Marcus said, throwing his hands into the air.

 

“Yes, Marcus, I’m very serious,” Charlotte said, calmly resting her hands on Jon’s shoulder, as if she was protecting him in her own way. Which she was, now that she knew the truth.

 

“Charlotte, I understand that Jon is your boyfriend, but you have to understand–”

 

“No, you have to understand that more than any of you, I want the best for Jon. So what he needs now is not some long, drawn out doctor visit, he needs attention and care, which is why he’s going home. And…” Charlotte said, holding up her hand to stop any of the protests she knew would be coming. “That’s why I’m going to go with Jon and take care of him.”

 

The other men were silent for a moment and exchanged glances. They certainly hadn’t expected this. Sure, they were all coworkers and friends of Jon’s, but Charlotte was right. As his girlfriend, she was concerned about Jon in an entirely different way.

 

Kyle let out a deep breath and turned to the trainer. “Luke, what do you think?”

 

“Well, I still think Jon should be seen by an actual doctor, but if she is willing to stay with him and monitor his symptoms for a while, that would be alright.” Clearly it pained Luke to give in to the vibrant young woman standing at Jon’s shoulders. But he wasn’t in immediate danger so they couldn’t force him to see a medical professional. Besides, if Charlotte was as stubborn as she appeared, maybe she really was the best one to care for Jon.

 

Charlotte smiled and squeezed Jon’s shoulder. “Glad you all see things my way.”

Chapter 38: Favorite Nurse

Summary:

Keeping up his end of the compromise, Jon allows Charlotte to take care of him, though he still needs to find a way to call Dave for help as well.

Chapter Text

It had taken a little while for Jon to convince Charlotte that he was okay to drive back to his apartment, but she eventually relented. She had insisted on closely following him in her own car, that way she would be right there if anything went wrong.

 

Thankfully, it didn’t.

 

Jon and Charlotte parked side by side in the small lot in front of the apartment complex. Char quickly texted Marcus to let him know that they had made it to Jon’s place with no mishaps. But before she could exit her vehicle, Jon had opened the door and extended a hand.

 

“What are you doing,” Charlotte said, struggling to hold back a smirk.

 

“I’m a gentleman offering to help my lady out of her car,” he said, wagging his eyebrows suggestively. Charlotte giggled, preferring this version of Jon much more than the pale shaky one she had first seen in the trainer’s room.

 

Charlotte threw her purse over her shoulder and took his hand. She shut the door, locked it, then sighed with happiness as Jon lazily put an arm around her waist. “I thought I was supposed to be taking care of you,” she said, returning the gesture.

 

“Sorry, to disappoint, babe, but I’m always going to open the door for you,” Jon said, giving her one of his thousand watt smiles. He put his building key in the door, unlocking it. Charlotte had never spent much time in his apartment until now, though she had wanted to.

 

Excited to spend some time in the home of the man she loved, Charlotte was happy to follow Jon inside. Her excitement wavered when he stumbled walking into the house. “Jon? Are you okay,” she asked, the concern evident in her voice.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just got…got a little dizzy for a second,” Jon said, trying to regain his balance.

 

“Okay, that settles it,” Charlotte said, taking control of the situation. She shut the front door then slowly guided Jon over to the couch in his living room. “Can I get you some water?”

 

Jon nodded, trying to breathe evenly. If only the room would stop spinning…

 

Charlotte returned with a bottle of water from the kitchen and handed it to her boyfriend. Jon opened it and took a few sips. He took his time, not rushing things. Charlotte didn’t pressure him either, he needed to go at his own pace. “How’s it going,” she asked after a few minutes. 

 

“Better, I think. I was fine for a while, but out of nowhere I just got really dizzy again.”

 

“I shouldn’t have let you push yourself so hard,” Charlotte said, shaking her head, disappointed in herself. “This is all my fault.”

 

“Babe…no,” Jon insisted, taking her hand. “I can promise you, without a doubt, that none of this is your fault. All you’re doing is making things better.”

 

“I’m trying.  I’m trying so hard to be strong for you…but it’s really tough to see you like this.”

 

“Char, I’m so sorry for dragging you into this baby,” he said, pulling her in for a hug. You shouldn’t have to deal with all this.

 

While she may have been still dressed up from her work appearance in court that day, at that moment, Charlotte was just like any other young, emotional woman worried about her boyfriend.

 

“That’s the thing, Jon,” Charlotte said, drawing back from the hug. “As hard as it is to see you like this. I don’t want to be anywhere else.” She placed both hands on the sides of his face. “I don’t think I could stand it if you were alone right now.”

 

Jon gently wiped away the tears that had gathered at the corners of her eyes. “I love you Charlotte. I wish I could show you how much,” he said huskily, pulling her in for a long, deep, kiss. He hadn’t meant to get so emotional. But sometimes it still surprised Jon how deeply Charlotte cared for him. The fact that she was willing to stand by his side in this stressful situation gave Jon hope that one day, she would still stand by his side when they had to have another difficult conversation.

 

“You wanna show me how much I matter to you,” Char asked, reaching up to stroke Jon’s blonde, mattered curls. “Then let me take care of you for a little while. I know how you feel about doctors, babe. And I’m not being insensitive to that, I swear. But you need to let me help.”

 

“Char–”

 

“Jon. I’m not some stranger in a white lab coat, okay? This is me, the girl who loves you and just wants to see that you’re okay. Please let me take care of you,” Charlotte said, letting her forehead drop until it touched Jon’s.

 

In lieu of answering, Jon simply kissed Charlotte again.

 

~~~~~

 

Jon had decided that the first order of business was to take a quick shower, not too hot of course, since he had claimed to have passed out from the sun earlier. He may have had to give in and let Charlotte take care of him, but if he was going to spend the next few hours with her, then at least Jon could be clean.

 

When he returned from the bathroom, Charlotte was sitting on the couch. Two freshly poured bowls of soup were sitting on the nearby coffee table. When she heard Jon walk into the room, she turned, and tried not to drop her jaw.

 

She had never seen him shirtless before, and…damn. Jon Kent was lean and muscular in all the right places. Unfortunately, she didn’t have long to stare because he quickly put a shirt on and strolled over to the couch. “Why aren’t we eating at the table,” he asked casually.

 

“Because…umm…because I thought this would be more comfortable for you,” Charlotte answered, trying and failing not to stumble over her words.

 

“You thought it would be more comfortable for me to spill soup all over myself,” Jon said, joking with her now. He had caught her looking and knew she was flustered. And now he was having a little fun of his own, after all, she flustered him most of the time.

 

“Well, no, of course I don’t want you to drip soup. I guess I didn’t think this through very well. Okay, maybe we should–”

 

“Babe,” Jon said, gently cutting her off. “I’m just messing with you. We can eat here.” Then, as if to prove his point, Jon picked up one of the bowls, handed it to her, then picked up the other and began to eat.

 

He noticed through the first few bites that Charlotte was watching him like a hawk, making sure he was actually eating, as if she believed if there was no supervision, maybe he wouldn’t. 

 

She was smart.

 

It’s not that Jon didn’t want to eat, actually, he was pretty hungry, but he knew that food wasn’t going to help him at that moment. Unfortunately, he hadn’t had a free moment alone to text Dave and tell him what was going on.

 

Was he feeling a little better, yes. Absolutely.

 

Did he still need Dave’s help to get back to normal? Without question.

 

Jon and Charlotte had a nice time enjoying the simple meal, making small talk. They discussed how Charlotte’s work appearance in court had gone that day–Jon had made sure to tell her once again how beautiful she looked–and they also talked about the football game he would hopefully be coaching that Friday night.

 

About halfway through his bowl of soup, Jon felt himself start to slow down. Even though he shouldn’t be full yet, he didn’t want to eat anymore. Worse, his hands started shaking again. The movement was slight, but still enough that Jon could tell.

 

Knowing he didn’t have long before the dizziness fully set in, Jon set his bowl back on the table so they way he didn’t spill the leftover soup.

 

Considering that Charlotte had been watching him very closely through the whole meal, she noticed immediately when things began to change. Right away the shaky hands and pale face were obvious. Knowing that he probably needed some sense of pride and control, Charlotte didn’t reach over and help Jon set the soup on the table…but she almost did.

 

“Babe? Do you want to lay down?”

 

“Yeah, just…give me…give me a second.”

 

“Dizzy again?”

 

“Unfortunately.”

 

Once again, Charlotte didn’t rush or pressure him in any way, staying dutifully by his side, rubbing circles on his back while Jon took several deep breaths. After a few moments, Jon slowly laid down on the couch, his eyes closed.

 

“Jon, are you okay?”

 

“I’m fine,” he whispered, though his eyes were still closed. “Just…layin’ down for a second.”

 

Charlotte got up from the couch and gently moved Jon’s legs so they were lying on the couch as well. Then she grabbed a thin blanket from behind the couch and softly covered Jon. She didn’t want him to be hot, but it was important that he be relaxed and comfortable. Jon’s eyes were still closed, but his face was tense; he wasn’t sleeping.

 

Not wanting Jon to get overheated again, Char went into the kitchen, to the sink and soaked a washcloth in cool water. She squeezed out the excess water and came back into the living room. Kneeling beside the couch, Charlotte gently placed the cloth on his neck. Jon winced and shook his head a few times, almost in protest.

 

“Babe, are you okay?”

 

“Fine. It’s just a little cold.”

 

Charlotte placed a hand on Jon’s forehead. It wasn’t too warm, but enough to cause concern. Making her way back into the kitchen again Charlotte looked for some painkillers this time. But she didn’t see any. Weird.

 

So instead, she moved back to her purse and pulled out a couple of ibuprofen tablets. Jon didn’t need too much help sitting up to take the pills, but it was nice to have her support nonetheless. After that, Jon leaned back on the couch and closed his eyes again. Char took her place once again kneeling by the couch. She took one of Jon’s hands, weaving her fingers through his. With the other hand, she combed through Jon’s damp curls, over and over until she settled into a calming rhythm.

 

When she was sure Jon was asleep, Charlotte took the bowls into the kitchen and cleaned up the simple supper she had made for the two of them. Then she dimmed all the lights in the house except for a few lamps at opposite corners of the living room. And since there was nowhere else she’d rather be, Charlotte resumed her vigil, sitting by the couch, next to Jon.

 

She texted Marcus and Natalie to let them know that everything was okay. But right as she was in the middle of sending another message to Marcus, Natalie called her. “Hello?”

 

“Hey, Char, it’s Nat. How’s Jon?” Her words were direct and to the point; the concern she had for her brother was obvious.

 

“I think he’s doing okay,” Charlotte said, making her way back to the kitchen so as not to disturb Jon. “I made him some soup and he’s sleeping now, which is good, I think.”

 

“How was he acting before?”

 

“Well, he claimed he got a little dehydrated and overheated at practice, which is probably why he’s been feeling dizzy off and on.”

 

“Dizzy?”

 

“Yeah, sometimes he’s fine and then other times he was getting really shaky and unstable.”

 

“Okay, well it’s a good thing I was planning ahead. I was worried about Jon so I actually came up to Richardson and am here now.”

 

“You drove up here?”

 

‘Um, yeah,” Natalie said after a moment’s hesitation. No need to tell Jon’s girlfriend that she had used her steel suit to fly to Richardson. “I just figured I’d come in and check on things. I’m not too far away, actually.”

 

“Jon said that he was feeling a lot better on Sunday, yet you still decided to drive up to see him, why is that,” Charlotte asked, hoping her tone wasn’t too suspicious.

 

“Because it’s Jon,” Natalie said, hoping her excuse was believable. “You know how he is, he never wants anyone to worry about him, even when something’s wrong.”

 

Charlotte scoffed. “Yeah, that’s a pretty accurate description. He’s been trying to claim that to be fine from the moment he passed out to right before I gave him soup.”

 

“Typical. Hey, I’m outside the door. Can you let me in?”

 

Char thought it was strange that she hadn’t heard a car pull up, but she let Natalie in anyway. “Hey Nat, good to see you. I’m sure Jon will be happy too.”

 

“Yeah, I hope so, hey listen, before we go to Jon, I need to talk to you for a second,” Natalie said, pausing by the door. “I want to apologize to you for dragging Jon away from the party last weekend without giving you much of an explanation.”

 

“Oh.” Charlotte was quite surprised by Natalie’s apology. “That’s okay. You said that Jon wasn’t feeling well so I assumed you were just acting in his best interest.”

 

“Yeah, that’s what I thought too. It’s normal for me, you know, thinking about what’s best for Jon when he isn’t. It brings out this…protective side of me, I guess. And even though we’re getting to know each other, I think I’m still getting used to the idea that there’s another girl who feels similarly. I hope you can forgive me.”

 

“Of course. Without question. I was never angry with you, just worried about Jon.”

 

“And now here we are again, worried about Jon,” noted the other girl, peeking around Charlotte’s shoulder to get a better look at her brother. “Do you mind?”

 

“Go ahead,” Char said, gesturing to the still form of Jon Kent.

 

Much like Charlotte and done earlier, Nat knelt by the couch and took Jon’s hand in hers. He seemed a little pale, she noted and his forehead was warm when she touched it. Jon shifted a little then opened his eyes, obviously surprised to find Natalie there.

 

“Nat...when’d you get here,” he mumbled, trying to clear his foggy brain.

 

“A few minutes ago. Char called me.” At the mention of his girlfriend’s name, Jon searched until he found her. She sat on the very edge of the couch, near Natalie.

 

“Hey, babe, I’m right here.”

 

“Could…you get…get me some water,” he asked, looking at Charlotte.

 

“Of course babe.”

 

As soon as she left the room, Jon turned to his sister, the desperation obvious on his face. “You need to call Dave. Something’s wrong. I told Char it was just dehydration or something, but there’s something else going on here. You need to convince Char to leave and call Dave, he’s the only one that can help me.”

 

Initially, Natalie was surprised that Jon was so much more alert than he had pretended to be even a few moments ago. But as she listened to what Jon had to say, her eyes turned to steel. It was nothing against Charlotte of course, she had done nothing wrong.

 

But if Jon was admitting that he needed Dave’s help, then the situation was bad, probably much worse than Charlotte was imagining, meaning Natalie had to act fast. For a moment, Natalie hated herself for what she was about to do. She had literally just finished apologizing to Charlotte for stepping into a situation with Jon without being honest.

 

And here she was, about to do the same thing. Again.

 

“Here babe, I got you a fresh bottle of water.” Charlotte knelt down, and helped Jon take a few small sips of water before setting the bottle on the table.

 

“Charlotte…” began Natalie hesitantly. “I can’t thank you enough for taking care of my brother tonight. But would you hate me forever if I asked to take over?”

 

It was immediately clear that Charlotte did mind, but that she was going to try and keep things civil for Jon’s sake. “Umm, what about the talk we had a few minutes ago?”

 

“I said I’m trying to be less protective over Jon, but I’m still working on it.”

 

“Okay, well, why don’t we both stay here,” Char said, trying to compromise.

 

“That would be reasonable, I know, but I can’t really describe it, I just need to spend some time alone with my brother,” Natalie said, hoping to appear sympathetic.

 

“Even though you spent all weekend with him,” Charlotte asked, standing up, facing Nat full on.

 

“Babe, I know it sounds crazy, but Nat just gets this way sometimes,” Jon added.

 

“Okay, I understand that, but I’m still your girlfriend, shouldn’t I be here too?” Bzzzzz. Charlotte looked down at her phone. “Excuse me.” She stepped to the side and talked quietly to the person who had called her. After a moment, she hung up. “Well, Natalie, looks like you’re going to get your wish. I just got called into the foster care office. Looks like it could be a late night so I’ll probably just head home after. Bye.”

 

“Char, wait, don’t go,” Jon said, trying to sit up.

 

She turned back. “I have to. Besides your sister’s here, now.”

 

“Can you at least tell me goodbye properly?” Charlotte walked over to Jon, knowing what he was after, so she leaned down for a quick kiss. But apparently, Jon was determined to prove to Charlotte just how much he appreciated her, so he deepened the kiss. When he finally pulled back, Char was a bit dazed. “I love you. Thanks for taking care of me. You’re the best nurse I ever had…the prettiest one too.”

 

Finally, a smile crossed Charlotte’s face before she kissed Jon one more time. “Get some rest okay, I love you too.”

 

A few moments later Charlotte had left, though she was a little frosty on her way out. As soon as she had shut the door, Natalie turned to Jon. “Bro, I’m so sorry about that. I hope she’s not too mad at me for intruding.”

 

“Later…Nat…you gotta call Dave…now.” Then, ever so slowly, Jon’s eyelids fluttered close once again, though Natalie couldn’t be sure if he had just fallen asleep or lost consciousness.

Chapter 39: Dave's Visit

Summary:

Luckily, Dave is able to determine exactly what's wrong with Jon and what he needs to feel better.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Within seconds, Natalie had called Dave, and explained the direness of the situation. And a few minutes later there was a knock on the door. Nat ran over, and opened it to find Clark, Lois and Dave waiting on the front step.

 

“Come in, come in,” Nat said, gesturing for the new arrivals to come inside.

 

“Talk to me, Natalie, what do we have here?” Dave grabbed a chair from the kitchen on his way over to Jon and took a seat by the silent, still form of Jonathan Kent.

 

“Charlotte called me earlier, and said that Jon passed out at the end of football practice today. He was treated for dehydration and heat exhaustion for a while before Char got him back here. But when I talked to Jon, he wanted me to call you, which leads me to believe that there’s something more going on here.”

 

Dave reached into his medical bag and pulled out a thermometer and a stethoscope. “Why did they think it was dehydration and heat exhaustion?”

 

“While, I guess that’s what Jon told them. Also, Charlotte said that he had been dizzy, shaky, and had been wanting to lie down.”

 

Working efficiently, Dave took Jon’s temperature and listened to his heartbeat. Based on the physician’s disappointed reaction, he wasn’t pleased with the results.

 

Dave reached into his bag and pulled out a tiny metal machine. It had the shape of a small box, but had an opening on the end and a screen across the front.

 

“What’s that,” Lois asked, leaning closer. She and Clark were behind the couch, close enough so they could see what was going on, but not so close that they were crowding Dave.

 

“It’s a scanner that Natalie and Lara helped me develop. It allows me to take a blood sample and get almost immediate results about blood composition, hemoglobin levels, nutrients, things like that. In this situation I thought it could be very helpful.”

 

Dave moved the opening of the machine to the end of one of Jon’s fingers. The needle inside gave a prick and within seconds the machine began analyzing the blood sample. When the results popped up on the screen, Dave dragged a hand through his hair and began muttering to himself. “Damn it. I told him this would happen. I told him.”

 

“Told him what,” asked Lois, gripping Clark’s hand. Her eyes were glued to the machine in Dave’s hands, desperate to know what it had revealed.

 

“Jon didn’t want anyone to know, but he donated an extra two pints of blood before he left yesterday,” Dave said with a tired sigh.

 

“Two more? But wouldn’t that mean he donated four pints in four days,” Clark asked, the alarm evident in his voice and on his face. “But that’s…”

 

“Not humanly possible, I know,” Dave said, anticipating Clark’s next words. “But I’ve had discussions with Jon. Because of his unique half-kryptonian heritage there are certain biological differences. Things like not needing as much sleep, being energized by the sun, and having more endurance are all things that we have discovered.”

 

“That’s old news, Dave,” Lois said, getting impatient. She ran a hand through her brown hair. “What does all that have to do with the current situation?”

 

“One of the things Jon and I learned was that he isn’t as dependent on red blood cells as a normal human. We’ve known that for a while but it was never relevant before now. When Jon saw how much Jordan was struggling this past weekend, he pulled me aside and asked if he could donate more blood, knowing it would help Jordan.”

 

Lois and Clark exchanged a look. That was so Jonathan– putting his own health and safety on the line. He had always been so incredibly selfless, especially when it came to his twin. Over the years, as Jordan had become more powerful there weren’t as many opportunities for Jon’s protective side to come out. But apparently this weekend, it had.

 

Dave continued his explanation.

 

“Initially, I wasn’t sure about Jon donating more blood. The tests confirmed that it should be okay, but it still felt a bit risky to me, especially because we had never tried it before. But you know how Jon can be. So I let him donate two more pints. He was supposed to tell me if anything felt strange, but I guess he didn’t get around to it.”

 

“So what does this all mean, what’s going on,” Lois asked again, determined to get an answer.

 

“Jonathan’s anemic.” Dave said, facing the boys parents, knowing they deserved to hear the truth plainly. “It’s unclear exactly at what point the donation became too much, but the calculations were certainly off, there’s no doubt about that now.”

 

“Anemic,” said Clark in a strange tone, almost as if the word confused him. “I’ve heard the term before, but what exactly does it mean?”

 

Dave reached into his bag and began pulling out materials to set up a portable IV as he explained the situation they were dealing with. “Anemia happens when there isn’t enough hemoglobin in the blood,” said Dave. He had been a friend of the Kent’s for so long that sometimes they forgot exactly how much schooling he had endured in order to become a doctor. “Hemoglobin carries oxygen from the lungs to other tissues throughout the body. So basically, what this all means is that Jon is lacking red blood cells right now which is probably why he’s been experiencing shortness of breath, because the missing protein is making it hard for the oxygen to move to his lungs.”

 

“So what do we do about it,” Clark asked, rubbing Lois’ shoulder, knowing that she needed the support. She might be standing strong and straight backed. But the sad truth was Lois had seen both of her sons unconscious in a matter of a couple days, which was taking a toll on her.

 

“I’ve set up an IV to get some fluids back into his system,” Dave said, adjusting the stand which he had placed to the side of the couch. “That will be a good start.”

 

“Okay, well what else do you need to do to get Jon back to normal,” Lois asked, her voice shaking slightly. Once again, Clark’s strong comforting hand moved to her shoulder.

 

But before Dave could answer, Jon began to stir. He moved his head back and forth a few times and let out a soft moan as well. Dave’s reaction was instant. “Jonathan, it’s Dave, can you hear me? Can you hear me, son?”

 

Jon’s eyes fluttered open and although it took him a few moments, he was able to focus on Dave’s face. “You…made it,” Jon whispered, offering the physician a faint smile.

 

“Of course I did, son,” Dave said, reaching over to place a hand on Jon’s shoulder. “And I brought a couple of guests with me, if you don’t mind.” Dave gestured for Lois and Clark to come closer and they peeked over the side of the couch so Jon could see their faces.

 

“Hi sweetie,” Lois said, fighting with everything in her to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall.

 

“Mom…Dad,” Jon said in that same whispery tone. He reached a hand up and his mom clasped it. Then, Clark placed his own hand on Jon’s shoulder, also wanting contact with his son.

 

“Hey, buddy,” Clark said, his own voice coming out in a whisper as well. The concerned father didn’t expect to get so choked up, but seeing his son lie there, especially after everything they had just experienced with Jordan, made Clark pretty emotional as well.

 

“You guys didn’t have to come,” Jon insisted, though he couldn’t seem to tear his eyes away from his parents. “It means a lot.”

 

“Of course we were going to come, sweetie,” Lois said, giving Jon’s hand a quick squeeze.

 

“How are you feeling, Jon,” Dave said, getting the young man’s attention once again.

 

“Umm…a little tired, I guess.”

 

“Dizzy?”

 

“Right now…not really, but earlier, yeah.”

 

“Alright, here’s the situation. After that last blood donation, you’re anemic, Jon. That’s why you haven’t been feeling well today.”

 

Lois squeezed Jon’s hand, silently offering support. “What does that mean,” Jon asked the physician who had been taking care of him since he was a teenager.

 

“In your case,” Dave said, directly addressing Jon, “there shouldn’t be any long term effects, once we can replenish your red blood cells.”

 

“But…how…can we do that. I’m…different. And you can’t ask Jordan, he's still sick!”

 

“Relax, Jon, relax,” said Dave, placing a hand on Jon’s chest to hold him down. The sick young man had tried to get up at the mere thought of Dave using his brother when he was still injured. “I have no intention of going to Jordan with this.”

 

“Good,” Jon said, visibly relaxing. “So what, then? This isn’t a normal situation.”

 

“Well, I started an IV line to get some fluids in you and I’ll have it run the rest of the night. I have another to replace it once it finishes.”

 

“That’s it, just fluids,” Lois asked, the disbelief obvious on her face.

 

“I’m also going to start a second line of medication that I created specifically for Jon,” Dave answered, addressing Jon’s parents. “After he left yesterday I was still worried that he wasn’t quite as fine as he was claiming and so I wanted to be prepared. To be honest, even if he hadn’t called, after 48 hours I was planning on asking Natalie to fly me over to check in.”

 

“Sounds like Jon shouldn’t have left so soon,” Lois said. Though her voice was stern, she squeezed Jon’s hand again, showing that her concern was stronger than her anger.

 

“Probably not,” Dave agreed, pulling out the second clear bag. “But the point is, I’m here now, and we’re going to get this taken care of.”

 

“What exactly are you giving me,” Jon asked, eyeing the new bag warily.

 

“Just some supplements, Jon,” Dave said, preparing the needle. “To make up for the nutrients that you are missing after that last donation, things like iron, vitamin C.”

 

“How do you know this will work,” Clark asked, he had pulled his hand back and crossed his arms, the worry for his son evident on his face.

 

“I spent a significant amount of time working with Lara, making a plan in case we got into a situation like this. Using the Kryptonian technology at the fortress we were able to compile a very detailed report of the levels of nutrients that the boys need to function normally. Using that information, I am confident that I can get you the correct amount of supplements to replenish the ones you lost.”

 

Jon nodded. “Alright, just do it,” he said, extending his arm so Dave could insert the line.

 

“Just so you guys know, these supplements would be recommended for anyone who was anemic, I just altered them to fit Jon’s unique physiology.”

 

Jon flinched when the needle penetrated his skin. He bit his lip and turned away. Logically, Jon just knew that Dave was just doing his job and that he needed the medication. But the more juvenile part of his brain was thinking…damn that hurt.

 

“Alright, that should do it.”

 

Lois still hadn’t let go of Jon’s hand. Were things as bad as they originally suspected, no, it appeared not. But still, she hated to see her baby boy in pain. And being Lois Lane, she still had some questions.

 

“Okay, so what happens now?”

 

“Now, we let the medications do the work. I’m going to test Jon’s blood periodically throughout the night, but by the time morning comes, he should be a lot stronger.”

 

“So, I can go back to work tomorrow?”

 

“How can you even be thinking about work at a time like this,” Lois said. She let go of Jon’s hand and took a few steps back, shock written all over her face.

 

“Because it’s my job, Mom,” Jon said, moving slightly so he was sitting up on the couch. “We’ve got a football game this weekend, which means I need to be at practice.”

 

“But Jon, a football game isn’t more important than your health,” Clark added, and as usual, sided with Lois.

 

Jon took a deep breath. When it came to his parents, he was never going to win a conversation about prioritizing anything above his health. It was time to strategize. “Okay, what if Dave tests my blood in the morning, does a full checkup and finds out everything is fine. Then there’s no reason I can’t go back to work.”

 

“I find it highly unlikely that you would bounce back that quick,” Lois said, crossing her arms.

 

“Well, I have some supplement pills that I’m going to want Jon to take for the next week, but as long as he stays hydrated and doesn’t work himself too hard, it actually could be that simple.”

 

“Meaning as usual, everyone was worried for nothing,” Jon muttered.

 

“Actually, they had every right to be worried, I was just prepared,” Dave said with a smile. He patted Jon’s shoulder, picked up his bag and moved off to the side, understanding that Lois was probably anxious to be close to her son.

 

Sure enough, as soon as Dave moved out of the way, Lois sat down in the chair and took Jon’s hand again. Jon huffed slightly and rolled his eyes at his mom's overprotectiveness. “I’m fine, okay, you don’t have to freak out.”

 

“Maybe she won’t freak out, but I will, what the hell were you thinking?”

 

Jon turned, surprised at the voice he heard. Clark was holding up his phone and had called Jordan on FaceTime. Apparently his twin had heard everything and was looking rather annoyed. 

 

“Seriously Jon, what were you thinking donating all that extra blood?” Although the phone screen was small, the look of fury on Jordan’s face was quite noticeable.

 

“I was thinking the blood would help you get better and it obviously did. So it was worth it.”

 

“No it wasn’t, I would have recovered eventually, you passed out today,” countered Jordan.

 

“You were passed out most of the weekend,” Jon screamed. “You’re freaking Superboy. You can do anything. And you’re my twin brother. So seeing you lie there, helpless and sick…I couldn’t handle it. So yeah, I did everything I could to help you…because…” Jon paused for a moment before addressing his brother. “Because for once I actually got to save you.”

 

The room was quiet and everyone was anxious to see how Jordan would respond. As worried as everyone was for the twins, they all knew that they were more worried about each other. Finally, Jordan let out a breath and said, “Well, you’re an idiot for putting yourself in danger, but I love you anyway.”

 

The room filled with laughter and the ice was broken. Jordan was undoubtedly worried about his brother, but he couldn’t lecture him too much…because they all knew Jordan had done the same thing, many times. The boys carried on a civilized conversation until Jon got tired, drawing their exciting night to a close.

Notes:

Hey all, I tried to research the medical stuff so it was as accurate as possible, but I also altered it so it fits my version of half-kryptonian biology, hopefully it all made sense. We're moving away from those scenes for the most part in the coming chapters.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting as always!

Chapter 40: Moving On

Summary:

As Jon begins to feel better, he looks toward the future.

Chapter Text

Even though Dave cleared Jon to go back to work on Tuesday, the principal disagreed. Kyle reached out to Jon on Tuesday morning and encouraged him to stay home that day, get some rest, and maybe see a doctor. Though Jon tried to insist that he was fine, Kyle wasn’t merely suggesting Jon stay home, he was telling him.

 

Initially, he felt like it would be a waste of a day, but the short vacation ended up working out pretty well. Dave was able to help Jon formulate a well balanced diet which would help him get back to normal, Natalie brought over a small project from her shop for them to tinker with and Jon FaceTimed with his brother most of the day.

 

A majority of the conversation was just stupid brother stuff, but considering they were both laid up for the day, the company was nice; even if it was just virtual.

 

Beth and Marcus came over after work to check in on Jon and were very pleased to see that he was taking it easy. Nat had decided to give Jon and Charlotte some time together and had left before Jon’s girlfriend got there.

 

Luckily, Charlotte was so pleased to see how much Jon had improved that she didn’t even mention her awkward exit from the night before. Instead, she focused on being near Jon and feeling grateful about how much better he was looking.

 

At one point Marcus suggested Jon go to a doctor just to make sure everything was alright, but Charlotte quickly shut that idea down, remembering what Jon had admitted to the day before.

 

When Marcus left to give them some privacy, the couple took full advantage of their time together. For a while, they just cuddled on the couch, holding hands and sharing the occasional kiss. Jon knew that the whole situation must have really freaked Charlotte out and that she had been very worried. But after everything she was still there for him.

 

“Hey babe,” Jon said after a little while.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“It might not seem like a big deal…but I want to thank you for taking my side earlier when Marcus tried to get me to go to the doctor.”

 

“Of course, Jon, no problem. I remembered what you told me…about being scared of doctors. And you seem a lot better today, so I don’t think there's any reason that you should have to be subjected to that,” Charlotte answered, rubbing his hand softly.

 

“And you really don’t think…you know…that I’m a wimp or anything?”

 

Charlotte leaned back in shock. “Babe…no, of course I don’t think that. You’re human. You’re allowed to have natural human reactions to things.”

 

Jon bit his lip and looked down, unsure of what to say next. As much as he liked to pretend, he wasn’t completely human…which he would have to tell her someday.

 

“I don’t…want to be afraid. It’s kind of annoying, actually. But it’s how I feel. Anyway, I just really appreciate you backing me up.”

 

“Babe, of course. You know I want to be there for you. I just ask one thing…”

 

“Anything.”

 

“I’ll be on your side about this as much as I can, but if something serious happens and you do need to see a doctor, promise me that you’ll go. I couldn’t stand it if something bad happened to you,” Charlotte said, running a hand through his messy curls.

 

“Okay, I promise,” Jon said, wondering how he would be able to keep it. “Seriously though, thanks for being by my side these past few days. I know how crazy it’s been.”

 

Charlotte chuckled fondly. “Jon, I love you. It doesn’t matter how crazy things are. I don’t care if I have to tell you a million times, I’m still gonna be there for you.”

 

Jon smiled, thinking back to his conversation a few days ago with Jordan’s girlfriend, Melissa. When Jon had been worried that his life would be too much for her, Melissa had said that if Charlotte loved him that it wouldn’t matter, which she had basically just confirmed. Jon made a mental note to reach out to Melissa later to thank her for her advice.

 

~~~~~

 

When he had returned to school the next day, it had kind of been a big deal. A lot of the students and staff had been worried. Most of his players found time throughout the day to stop in and see how he was doing. 

 

After spending the day before with Natalie and Jordan (via phone) and Charlotte in the evening, Jon was a lot more patient with the millions of questions that he was asked. He was beginning to realize the impact he was making in Richardson and that people were starting to care about him–which was a good feeling.

 

Jon was also feeling confident that day because he had several good discussions with Dave about getting his health back in order so he didn’t pass out anymore. Dave had suggested a balanced diet with plenty of protein was a good place to start. He also gave Jon a multivitamin to take to help increase his iron levels.

 

Dave was confident that if Jon took care of himself, that he would be back to normal in no time. And Jon intended to do whatever it took to keep things normal. So he answered the questions, took his vitamins, got plenty of rest and took it easy.

 

Unfortunately, not everyone shared his same level of confidence. Marcus and Kyle both checked on him several times over the next few days. While they were relieved that he seemed to be okay, it was kind of like they were waiting for him to pass out again.

 

The good news was that his parents were still worried about Jordan’s recovery, so they weren’t as overprotective towards Jon. He had talked to his brother several times that week, before school and in the evenings. Lois and Clark finally decided that he should be allowed to use his powers again, but it was pretty slow going.

 

Jordan complained countless times that he wasn’t a teenager anymore and they couldn’t tell him what to do–but they both knew that without some guidance he was going to overdo it. So Jon happily listened to his brother’s complaints. Usually it was pretty annoying, but after seeing his twin almost die, anything that made Jordan seem normal, he was happy about.

 

And for Jordan…complaining had always been one of his most consistent qualities.

 

Through the rest of the week Charlotte had been amazing. There was no pressure from her and she didn’t ask a thousand questions about how he was feeling. She did send him the occasional text and was very attentive every time they hung out. It was just one more amazing quality that Jon loved about Charlotte.

 

Before long, it was Friday and the Lions were ready for the next game,well, once they made it through the school day. Jonathan was definitely looking forward to the game and was ready to prove to his players, the school and the whole town that he was ready to lead his team to victory. 

 

But before that happened…Jon had one very important thing to do.

 

His Friday was starting a little different than normal–it was eight A.M. and Jon was still at his apartment. When the knock sounded at the door, he went to open it, where the guests that he was expecting were waiting for him.

 

“Hey, Dad, hey Beth.”

 

“Hi Jonathan, I’ll be back to pick Beth up in an hour or so,” said Clark.

 

“Sure, sounds good,” Jon agreed, inviting Beth into his home.

 

“You’re looking a lot better, son.”

 

“Thanks, I feel a lot better. All the things that Dave told me to do have really been helping. The plan is to go see him Monday for a checkup.”

 

Clark smiled. “That’s great son.” Because he really was looking so much better, Clark couldn’t resist pulling his son in for a big hug. Clark had been staying strong the past week, knowing it was what Lois needed and that it was expected of him, but truthfully, Clark had taken seeing both of his boys injured just as hard as Lois had, and it was a relief to see them doing so much better. Jonathan might be twenty three years old, but after a scare like that, Clark was going to hug him just like when he was little.

 

After Clark had left, Beth took a seat on the couch and Jon joined her. Even though the visit seemed informal, they both took it very seriously.

 

As great as his family was, Jon knew how important it was to schedule regular sessions with Beth to help him deal with all the things going on in his life. Getting started at a new job had kept him pretty busy, so Jon was long overdue for a meeting with Beth. And after everything that had happened that weekend, it seemed like the perfect time.

 

“Okay, so I promise, I’ll only ask this once…how are you feeling?”

 

Jon smiled. He trusted her implicitly. She was always kind and professional. But at the same time…she had been like a second mom to him for years.

 

“A lot better actually,” Jon answered, comfortable enough with Beth that he could be completely honest. “Maybe not quite a hundred percent yet, but the shakiness is gone, for sure, which is a relief. I think the meal plan and vitamins are helping as well.”

 

“I heard you tell Clark that you are planning to stop in and see Dave for a checkup next week?”

 

“My plan is Monday after football practice. I think everything’s fine now, but I know how worried everyone has been and I think the confirmation from Dave will put everyone’s mind at ease.”

 

“That’s great to hear. I mean that literally. It’s so great to hear you talk about the situation this way, so calm and comfortable. That shows a lot of growth for you, Jon.”

 

He shifted slightly. “I guess. I haven’t really thought about it.”

 

“Well, what’s been this different this time around,” asked Beth, even though she already knew the answer. Sometimes, with a little guidance, Jon managed to figure things out for himself.

 

“Charlotte?”

 

“I’d say so,” Beth agreed with a smile. “You’ve never been so positive and agreeable when talking about anything related to your health before. You wanna tell me why she prompted this change in attitude?”

 

“I guess it all started when…”

 

Feeling at ease the way he always did around Beth, Jon told her the full story of being in the trainer’s room and confessing to Charlotte about his fear of doctors so she would help him get home. He also told Beth how his girlfriend had stayed by his side most of that evening and took care of him with no hesitation.

 

“I guess that’s where the change in my attitude came from,” Jon said, finishing up his story. As always, Beth had listened diligently. “Being around Charlotte and seeing that she wouldn’t treat me any differently. It kind of…changed my perspective I guess.”

 

“She sounds wonderful. And I’m not just saying that, I swear. I can tell by the way your face lights up when you talk about her. There’s something really special happening between the two of you,” Beth said, taking Jon’s hand and squeezing it gently.

 

“Thanks, I think so too. Hey, if I tell you something, can you promise to keep it a secret from the rest of my family,” Jon asked, an apprehensive look crossing his face.

 

“Of course, Jon, you know that everything discussed in our sessions remains private unless you wish for it to be otherwise.”

 

Jon took a deep breath. “Okay...well…it’s just…after everything that happened, and how well Charlotte handled the situation…I can’t help wondering what it would be like to share the truth about my family with her.” Jon caught the look of alarm on Beth’s face and amended the statement. “Someday, I mean. Not any time soon.”

 

“Wow, I hadn’t realized things were that serious.”

 

Jon shrugged. “I don’t think my family has any idea. But I don’t know, the way everything has been between us, how she’s handled everything…it makes me think about having a real future with her.” Jon paused for a moment, but Beth could see he was trying to find the right words.

 

“I’ve dated girls off and on through high school and college. And it was enjoyable, you know…but I’ve never felt anything close to what my parents have, or you and Dave, or…what Jordan and Melissa have.”

 

Jon paused again, thinking about how it was a blessing and burden to be around so many strong, healthy relationships. It was good because he knew what the standard should be, what to strive for. But…it could also be tough sometimes because he was worried that he would never find a relationship like that.

 

It wasn’t jealousy…exactly. Jordan and Melissa were perfect for each other; that much had always been quite clear to anyone who was around the two of them together. And being his twin brother, what Jon wanted more than anything was for his brother to be happy.

 

He just always hoped that someday he would get the chance to have the same happiness.

 

“Being with Charlotte…it’s the first time I actually saw myself in a serious, long lasting relationship. And with the way my family is…well, there’s a lot to consider when getting into a serious relationship with me. Like I said, I don’t plan to tell her any time soon, but it just got me thinking about what it would be like to tell her.”

 

“Wow, sounds like you’ve been thinking about this a lot.”

 

“I have. Do you think I’m crazy?”

 

“Definitely not. It’s a big decision.”

 

“Exactly. And I know that anybody in my family would freak out at the thought of me even considering telling Charlotte the truth after only knowing her a month. But I just can’t help but think…maybe she would actually handle the news well. Maybe she is the one for me.”

 

Beth squeezed his hand again. “Jon, I think you are handling this whole situation with a lot of maturity. Personally, I think you have a ways to go before actually telling Charlotte the truth about your family, but it’s okay to think about.”

 

“Yeah, but is it selfish to even think about it? If she becomes a part of our family she will have so many crazy, possibly dangerous situations to deal with, probably on a weekly basis. How can I ask that of her,” Jon said, finally getting to the part of the conversation that he was really worried about. Beth noticed his shift in demeanor and moved her hand to his shoulder.

 

“If she’s the right one, you won’t be asking. She will want to be a part of it.”

 

Jon thought back to earlier in the week. He had thanked Charlotte for being there for him, despite all the craziness of being sick. Her reply–that she wanted to be there.

 

Smiling, Jon pulled Beth in for a hug; she always knew just what to say.

 

Was it okay to think about a future with Charlotte? Yes. Did he have to have all the answers now? Certainly not. But what Jon did have was a group of people in his life that cared about him and wanted to be by his side through the challenging times ahead. 

 

And for the time being, that was enough.

Chapter 41: Fraternals

Summary:

After a crazy couple of weeks, Jordan and Jon finally get to take some time to reconnect and hang out with just each other.

Chapter Text

Friday night proved to be another rousing success for the Richardson football team. And with an impressive score of 56-7, as head coach, Jon proved that no matter how his week had begun, he was more than capable of leading his team to victory in spite of any challenges he faced.

 

This time around the afterparty was a lot more enjoyable for Jon. Once again various parents and community members talked with Jon, congratulating him about the win. And just like the previous party, Charlotte was there, by Jon’s side the whole time. The difference was that there was no family crisis to pull Jon away from the party.

 

By the end of the night one thing was obvious, Jon had proved himself to be a valuable member of the community and it was clear that he was making Richardson his home.

 

It was Saturday now, around 10 AM and Jon was expecting a special guest.

 

Knock-Knock.

 

Jon smiled–his visitor always had been prompt. He opened the door but before he could say any words of welcome, as usual, his guest had a snarky comment: “Took you long enough.”

 

Typical…so typical, Jon thought, widening his smile. “Well, I’m sorry, not all of us have super speed. I can leave you out there a little longer if you want?”

 

At his brother’s sarcastic remark Jordan smiled as well. “Dumbass.”

 

“Idiot,” Jon replied automatically before pulling his twin in for a big bear hug.

 

After learning that Jordan was doing so much better, Jon had asked his brother if he would want to hang out that weekend and the answer was an immediate yes.

 

Even though they had just seen each other the week before, neither could deny that they needed some time together that wasn’t clouded by kryptonite or injuries.

 

As Jon stood there, hugging his brother, he couldn’t help but be excited about the day ahead that they would be spending some time together.

 

No matter how old they got, there was just something about being in his brother’s presence. They just had this connection that was indescribable. It came from being twins, he supposed, and the fact that nobody understood Jonathan quite like Jordan did.

 

Jon drew back from the hug and took a good look at his twin. It was safe to say that Jordan was looking a thousand times better, which was a big relief. His color was good, his injuries had healed and overall he just seemed healthy again.

 

However, brotherly affection demanded that he razz Jordan a little more, especially after giving him a hug. “It’s nice to see you standing on two legs. I wasn’t sure if you remembered how or if you were planning to stay in bed for the rest of your life.”

 

Jordan shut the door and walked into the living room. “You’re hilarious. Actually, I wasn’t sure if you remembered how to stand either, you know, without passing out.”

 

Jon rolled his eyes and pulled his brother into a headlock. The boys jabbed at each other for a few minutes until Jordan slid away and over to the couch. “Seems like you’re feeling a lot better.”

 

“Right back at you.” Jon strolled into the kitchen and grabbed a couple bottles of water; one for each of them. “I bet you’re glad to finally be able to use your powers again,” Jon said, handing one of the bottles to his twin.

 

“Definitely. Especially with how protective Mom and Dad have been about this whole thing.” Jordan opened his water and took a few sips. “They’ve been hovering like, nonstop. So annoying.”

 

“So you haven’t had any problems?”

 

“Nope. None at all. Everything is completely back to normal and they’re still acting like I’m some little kid.”

 

“Well, if anyone knows how protective they can be, it’s me, so I get what you’re saying. But Jor…it was really bad. We almost lost you.”

 

“Yeah, if you hadn’t donated, like, all of your blood to me.”

 

“I didn’t donate all of my blood.”

 

“Yeah, just enough to pass out a couple of times.”

 

“Once Jordan,” Jon said, poking his brother’s chest. “I only passed out once.”

 

“Yeah, yeah, whatever,” said Jordan, waving his brother’s hand away. “You still didn’t have to.”

 

“Uhh are you crazy, obviously I did. And clearly it worked because you’re back to your normal, annoying self.”

 

“I think you mean my spectacular, amazing self,” Jordan said with a smirk.

 

“Nope. That’s definitely not what I meant,” Jon said with a laugh. He was happy to be feeling so much better, but his personal health was nothing compared to how good it felt to be laughing and joking around with his brother again.

 

“Seriously though, you’re actually feeling better, right? You aren’t just saying that to get people off your back, are you?” 

 

Leave it to Jordan to cut through the BS and know just what to say to Jon.

 

Even though they had been joking around before, Jon could see that Jordan wasn’t kidding around anymore. “I am a lot better, yes,” Jon answered confidently, looking into his brother’s eyes so Jordan would know he was taking the question seriously. “Maybe not quite one hundred percent, but pretty darn close. With Dave’s help and being a naturally fast healer, I bounced back pretty quick.”

 

“Good.” Though Jordan didn’t say anything else, Jon could see the relief on his brother’s face. Even though he was told Jon was probably fine, he wasn’t actually going to accept it until he saw for himself.

 

“Hey Jor, you know how you were saying that Mom and Dad have been super overprotective about not letting you use your powers in the last week?”

 

“Yeah.” Annoyed with the reminder, Jordan offered up one of his classic eye rolls.

 

“Okay, so since you are a little out of practice, what do you say we go to the Fortress and I can set up some simulations for you to practice with, that is…if you’re feeling up to flying us there.”

 

Jordan stood up, a wide grin filling his face. “Hell yeah.”

 

~~~~~

 

“Oh come on! I totally had that one,” Jordan insisted after being thrown to the ground by one of Jon’s more creative simulations. “You changed the coding at the last minute. That’s not fair.”

 

“What does Dad always say? In a real fight you have to be prepared for anything.” Jon raised his hands in mock surrender. “I’m just trying to do what Dad would want.”

 

“Since when have you ever done that,” questioned Jordan, rubbing the snow off of his pants.

 

“Since now. You wanna go again?”

 

“Maybe in a minute.”

 

“Wait, you okay,” Jon asked, immediately noticing the change in his brother’s demeanor.

 

“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine,” Jordan said absently, waving his hand.

 

“Then what’s up?”

 

“I was just thinking…you know, about how long it’s been since we’ve done this–hang out at the Fortress, spend the whole day together.”

 

Jon glanced down. “Yeah, I guess you’re right.” He took a few steps toward his brother. “I’m sorry about that man, I feel like it’s my fault.”

 

“No, it’s both of us. We have separate lives and we’re busy. I’m not blaming you, I was just making an observation. How’s football going anyway? I feel bad I haven’t made it to a game yet.”

 

“Good. Really good. Hey don’t worry about it, I know you’re busy saving the world. There’s not much to tell. We won the game yesterday. And then of course there was the big afterparty,” Jon said, shaking his head a little, remembering the chaos of the evening.

 

“Oh yeah, what was that like,” Jordan asked with a smile. Unconsciously, both boys moved to the main opening of the Fortress as they had some many times before. It was a nice place to sit and think. The view was incredible and the boys had spent many hours talking there over the years about the craziness in their lives.

 

“Kind of like being a celebrity, honestly,” Jon answered, sliding down against the wall.

 

“What do you mean,” Jordan asked, taking a seat on the frozen ground next to his brother.

 

“Well, it’s a community event, right, so like ninety percent of the town is there at some point. And since I’m the head coach, everybody wants to talk to me or give advice about plays and upcoming games.”

 

“Sounds exhausting.”

 

“Yeah, it is a little bit,” Jon agreed, looking out at the gorgeous frozen landscape. “But I kind of feel like that’s all part of the job. Plus, Charlotte stays with me, so that makes it more tolerable.”

 

“Yeah, I bet. So when do I get to meet her?”

 

Jon glanced back at his brother. “How about you let me survive dinner with her parents and then I’ll get back to you.”

 

“Dinner with her parents,” echoed Jordan. “That’s kind of a big deal,” he said, nudging his twin.

 

“Yeah, that’s how it feels to me too. But at the party last night they cornered me and invited me over. Char left it up to me but I kind of got the feeling there was only one acceptable answer.”

 

Realizing the conversation had once again shifted into more serious territory, Jordan made sure to treat it as such. “So, how do you feel about dinner with her parents?”

 

“Well, I’ve met them a couple of times and in both cases I kind of got the feeling that they didn’t really care for me. So I’m not really sure how to feel about the dinner. Should I try to impress them, act all suave and sophisticated?”

 

Jordan snorted and shook his head. “Dude, you are neither suave or sophisticated.”

 

“Thanks bro, that helps a lot,” Jon said sarcastically.

 

“No, that’s not how I meant it. I’m saying don’t worry about impressing them, just be yourself.”

 

“Gee, thanks, Mom,” Jon retorted, flinging a small handful of snow at his brother.

 

Jordan easily dodged the snow. “Dude, I’m serious. You shouldn’t have to worry about changing, not for Charlotte’s family, not for anybody. I know it’s corny, but just be yourself. Obviously being just you was good enough to win Charlotte over, right?”

 

Jon shrugged. “Yeah, that’s a good point I guess.”

 

“Plus, it was enough to get you the job at the school, prove that you’re a good coach and connect with your players.” Jordan let Jon mull over his words before he continued. “Meeting your girlfriend’s parents is scary, believe me, I absolutely get it. But you’re a great guy, don’t sell yourself short.”

 

Jonathan and Jordan had always had a great relationship and these days many of their conversations were pretty lighthearted. Since they were both so busy the boys knew it was important to make the most of the time they had together.

 

But on the other hand, there was nothing quite like having a heart to heart with his twin brother. Jonathan really appreciated that Jordan was taking his concerns seriously, even though he had bigger problems to worry about; it was one of the things that made Jordan so great.

 

Sure, he had super powers and had saved the world countless times. But his biggest attribute, in Jon’s mind, was and always had been an amazing brother.

 

Jon good naturedly slapped his brother on the back. “Thanks Jor, that means a lot.” The boys took in the breathtaking scenery for another few minutes, the silence comfortable between them. “So what do you think, you wanna run some more simulations.”

 

“Not really, I actually had a better idea…if you’re interested.”

 

“What’s the idea,” Jon asked, registering the look of excitement and adventure in Jordan’s eyes.

 

“The Fortress is great and all…but wouldn’t it be more fun to go somewhere warmer…”

 

“Maybe, but why does it matter, you can’t feel temperature differences.”

 

“Okay, but wouldn’t you enjoy going somewhere with a little less snow and a little more sun?”

 

“Actually, I can’t really feel the differences in temperature either, come to to think of is,” Jon pointed out, really enjoying egging his brother on.

 

“I’m asking if you want to go to Hawaii you idiot.”

 

“Ohhh, is that what you meant,” Jon said, managing to keep a straight face.

 

“Yes that’s obviously what I meant,” Jordan said, standing up. He crossed his arms and glared down at his brother. “So are you going to stop being a dumbass and come to Hawaii with me?”

 

“Since you asked so nicely,” Jon muttered, standing up as well. “Hey before we go, I know you probably don’t want me to get all sappy on you, but I’m really thankful that we get to spend the day together. Things are so crazy, especially lately and I just…I don’t know, I guess I’m just trying to say that for most of my life the only thing that ever really made sense was you and me. Even though we’ve grown up and our lives look a lot different...I’m glad we didn’t lose that.”

 

Jordan put out his fist and simply said, “Fraternals?”

 

Jon returned the fist bump. “Fraternals.” He pulled Jordan in for a big hug and just like that, everything was right with the world again.

 

And when Jordan grabbed ahold of his brother and flew off to Hawaii, things were still perfect. Later on when they had pastries in Paris and margaritas in Mexico, their thoughts were the same: after illness and injuries, everything was finally back on track.

 

No amount of distance, differences in jobs or expectations would ever change that. They were Jordan and Jonathan…brothers…twins…

 

Fraternals.

Chapter 42: Dinner Guest

Summary:

When Jon is invited to have dinner with Charlotte's parents, things don't go quite as smoothly as he had hoped.

Notes:

Hey guys! Sorry about the hiatus with this story, it definitely was NOT intentional. Thank you all for your patience and I hope you enjoy the coming chapters :)

Chapter Text

Jon Kent was sitting in his truck trying to remind himself to take deep, even breaths. He was stressing himself out for no reason; he just needed to relax. After all, he had met these people before, and he knew Marcus. There was absolutely no reason to be concerned.

 

Except that this time…he wouldn’t be treated as a head football coach/ hometown hero. He was at the Reynolds house, as Charlotte’s boyfriend, officially getting to know her family.

 

Jon was very aware that Charlotte’s parents didn’t think too much of him. In his defense, they hadn’t actually spent much time with Jon and the football afterparties hadn’t allowed them a chance to really talk and get to know each other.

 

Which was probably the point of the meal that afternoon.

 

Jon sighed again. He should go inside, nothing was going to be gained by staying in the truck, after all. But after he unbuckled his seat belt, he decided to check his phone quickly; most adults disapproved when they saw young people on their phones during important functions. The last thing Jon needed was to give Nathan and Sarah Reynolds another reason to dislike him.

 

He had a few notifications that he quickly cleared, and one message from Jordan.

 

Hey bro, have fun at dinner with Charlotte’s parents. Remember, if it ends badly, we can be sipping Mai Tai’s in Hawaii in like two seconds flat.

 

Jon smiled. While he hoped he wouldn’t have to take his brother up on the offer, knowing that option was there was nice.

 

Sliding his phone into his pocket, Jon turned off his truck and stepped out.

 

You can do this. Everything’s going to be fine. Besides, Charlotte’s in there…you want to see her, right?

 

While the internal pep talk had good intentions, it didn’t really do much to calm Jon down. A short time later, Jon found himself knocking politely at the front door of the Reynolds house. Almost immediately, Sarah opened the door. She had a smile in place, though it didn’t feel genuine. “Hello, Jon, welcome.”

 

“Thank you, ma’am,” Jon said, making sure his tone was respectful and composed. Sarah Reynolds wrinkled her nose, as if Jon calling her ‘ma’am’ was offensive in some way. Weird. In his house, it was a term of respect for a woman.

 

She opened the door and Jon stepped inside the roomy entryway. One side led right into the living room and the other led towards the kitchen. And there were a few doors near the end of the hall that led to different rooms that Jon couldn’t quite see.

 

The design for their home was definitely a little more upscale than the Kent farmhouse. From what he could see, all the appliances and furniture were pretty new, less than two years old if he had to guess. It was very clean and orderly, with practically no clutter. The place was very welcoming with family pictures and pleasant decorations on the walls.

 

It wasn’t Jon’s home, but he could see why Charlotte’s family liked it. And being the new boyfriend, of course he had an obligation to say kind words. “Your home is beautiful,” Jon told Mrs. Reynolds, keeping up that practiced smile.

 

“Oh thanks, that’s very nice of you,” she answered, once again, not sure if the compliment was genuine. “I’ve often said that the beauty of a home reflects the people who lived there.”

 

Jon’s lips twitched. His mom often said ‘possessions come and go, but home is wherever your loved ones are.

 

“Well, you definitely have an eye for decorating, that’s for sure.”

 

“Oh, heavens no, most of this isn’t me. I have a friend who is an interior decorator and she keeps me up to date with the most recent household trends.”

 

“That’s…great.”

 

The lull in the conversation didn’t last long, as Charlotte’s dad, Nathan Reynolds came lumbering down the stairs. “Is the boy here, yet?”

 

“Yes, dear,” Sarah said, gesturing to their guest. “We’ve just been getting reacquainted.”

 

“So, you decided to actually show up, huh boy,” Nathan said, moving until he was standing next to his wife. He had crossed his arms and was glaring at Jon as if the young man had committed some horrible crime. Jon knew that Nathan Reynolds assumed that his behavior was intimidating, but for Jonathan…it really wasn’t.

 

When he had faced psychopathic villains head on, a protective father who was obviously more bark than his bite didn’t do much to scare Jon. He respected the other man of course, his own parents had raised him to respect his elders–but that didn’t mean Jon had to be intimidated.

 

So, playing his part, Jon widened his smile and addressed Nathan Reynolds as politely as he could. “Yes sir, Charlotte invited me. So of course I was going to be here.”

 

“I was watching you two after the football game the other day,” Nathan said, looking accusingly at Jon. “You seem pretty serious about Charlotte.”

 

“Yes sir, I am.”

 

“And what exactly are your intentions toward my daughter?”

 

“Uhh, well sir–”

 

“Jonathan, you’re here!” Before Jon had to answer the protective fatherly question from Nathan, Charlotte–thankfully– interrupted them. She appeared at the top of the steps then came rushing down. From the moment he saw her, Jon couldn’t pull his eyes away.

 

Charlotte looked like a vision in a pale pink flowered dress. Her hair was pinned on the sides and hung down her back in soft waves. Since they were just having an afternoon meal, her face only had the slightest hints of makeup. There were gold hoops adorned at her ears and a matching necklace draped around her pale neck.

 

It was simple, the girl took Jon’s breath away–she always had.

 

Since her parents were right there, Jon wasn’t sure what the appropriate way to greet his girlfriend was. Luckily, she made the decision for him. Charlotte threw her arms around Jon’s neck and pulled him in for a kiss.

 

For one moment, everything was total bliss, the way it always was when their lips met. But then, Nathan began to voice his displeasure so Charlotte pulled back. “Come on, Jon, let me show you the house.” She wove her fingers through his and began the tour.

 

Jon was listening, obviously, but as usual, he seemed unable to pull his eyes away from Charlotte. He knew he was probably smiling like an idiot, but he didn’t really care. Jon realized that whenever Jordan finally met Charlotte he would have to make sure he didn’t do anything stupid, otherwise Jordan would never let it go; he was persistent like that.

 

As Charlotte was leading Jon up the stairs, he had the sudden realization that eventually he would need to explain not just that Jordan was his brother, but that they were twins, which often complicated things. Sometimes they were totally fine and acted like normal brothers, and other times they needed each other in an indescribable way–like the day before.

 

With everything that had happened between the two of them health wise in the past few weeks, meeting up and getting back in sync had been absolutely essential. They didn’t need to be around each other 24/7 like when they were kids, their relationship had evolved more than that. At this point in their lives, they checked in when it was necessary and hung out when time allowed for it. And most of the time…things were completely fine.

 

But when one of them was hurt, or if they were fighting about something, it was like nothing was right in their universe and nothing was okay again until the brothers had reunited and were back on the same page. That’s how it had been when they had their big fight a month ago and that’s how it had been when Jordan had been through that crazy incident with the kryptonite. Jon had always wondered if that was just part of being twins or if it was just because their family situation was so complicated. Either way, it was reality and someday, he would have to face it.

 

Turning his attention back to Charlotte, Jon realized they were in the entrance of her room, or at least the one that she had lived in while growing up. She had her own place now so the room was mostly for guests, but a few of her personal touches were still on the wall.

 

Unsure if it was just missing Charlotte, pressure from her parents or just general nervousness, Jon pulled her close and onto her bed. Wordlessly, they came together. The kiss started slow, but quickly became more intense. Jon threaded his fingers through her silky blonde hair.

 

“Ahem.”

 

Jon and Char jumped back in surprise. Marcus was at the door, a smirk on his face. “I was supposed to come find you guys and tell you that lunch is ready.”

 

“Oh, um, thanks, Marcus,” Charlotte said, smoothing down her hair and trying to act casual. Marcus gave the couple a quick wink and headed downstairs. “Uhhhgg that was so embarrassing.”

 

“It could have been worse,” reasoned Jon.

 

“How?”

 

“Your dad could have been the one to catch us,” Jon said, wagging his eyebrows.

 

Charlotte threw back her head and laughed. “Good point.”

 

~~~~~

 

Things went smoothly for a little while when Charlotte and Jon got back downstairs. Sarah Reynolds had fixed grilled chicken with a few different vegetables. The meal was in fact ready, so everyone fixed their plates and took a seat at the table. Jon had barely begun cutting his chicken when Nathan started asking questions.

 

“So Jon, tell us about yourself.”

 

Jon froze. What was he supposed to say? Hi, my name is Jonathan Kent, my twin brother Jordan and I are half Kryptonians because we are the sons of Lois Lane and Superman. Oh yeah, and our sister Natalie, she is from another world and flies around in a steel suit with her dad. In my spare time I travel around with my siblings to different countries or talk to the AI of my Kryptonian grandmother in an arctic Fortress. Oh, and sometimes, I use my skills to build machines with Kryptonian technology to assist Superman and Superboy. Oh yeah, and did I mention that Jordan, my twin brother, is Superboy.

 

Yeah. Right.

 

There was no way Jon could ever say anything like that, so he settled on something vague and simple. “There’s not much to tell, really. I’m a guy who grew up liking football so coaching was a good fit for me.”

 

Nathan furrowed his brows, clearly not pleased with that answer. “What about hobbies?”

 

Jon cut up a piece of chicken. As he chewed, he pretended to consider his answer. “Well, anything football related, obviously. And I like maintaining my truck, so I’ll be happy to have that back from the shop. I'm also a bit of an outdoorsy person I guess.”

 

There was no lying in that answer, Jon just didn’t admit to some of his major hobbies, like working in the Fortress, trying new foods around the world, and helping his mom research articles.

 

“What about family,” Sarah asked, studying Jon closely. It was as if she was trying to figure out how honest he was being with his answers.

 

“Yeah, I have a family. But they live far away, so I don’t get to see them a lot.”

 

“That must be difficult.”

 

“It can be. We talk on the phone a lot, catch up on holidays if we can.” And every week for Sunday dinner, Jon thought to himself.

 

“Are you close to your family?”

 

“Yeah, I’d say so. I mean the distance is hard and we have very different lives, but it’s always great when we can come together.”

 

“And you said that girl who was at the first afterparty…she’s your sister.” Sarah seemed very focused on family oriented questions.

 

Jon started in on his green beans. “Yep. She’s my sister.”

 

“But she…looks so different from you.”

 

“She does,” Jon agreed. “And we don’t really talk about the past because it’s complicated but she is my sister, that’s for sure.”

 

“What about parents or other siblings?”

 

“Yes, I have a mom and a dad, they’ve been married for over twenty years. And I…I do have a brother.”

 

Jon’s mind seemed to be shouting with the information he wished he could say. He’s my twin brother actually! And he’s Superboy and a badass. Oh yeah, and he’s like my best friend in the world. I’d put my life on the line for him…and I kind of did the other day when I donated blood to him... probably more than I should have…but everything’s fine now! We even went to the Fortress yesterday.

 

“I didn’t know you had a brother,” Charlotte said pleasantly, smiling over at Jon.

 

“Yeah, I don’t talk about him much.”

 

“Why, are there problems between the two of you,” Sarah asked, snapping her head up. She always had a sixth sense for detecting drama.

 

“No, not at all. We’re fine. I’m just kind of private when it comes to my family, so if you don’t mind, could we talk about something else?”

 

Sarah and Nathan exchanged a look, as if Jon not wanting to talk about his family was a red flag. But he didn’t care. His family situation was complicated and the last thing he wanted was to give any more information than he necessary to Charlotte’s nosy parents.

 

“So, how are you feeling after that game on Friday,” Marcus asked, trying to cut Jon a break.

 

“Actually, I was thinking we could talk about college,” Nathan said, thwarting his son’s attempts to give Jon something easier to talk about. The inquisition continued and Charlotte’s parents definitely seemed annoyed when Jon chose not to answer all of their questions, though it was completely intentional on his part.

 

The other challenging part of the meal was the fact that Jon’s phone was practically exploding with texts from his family. He had turned the sound off, but kept checking it periodically anyway. It was hard to tell what the exact problem was, but the point was that something was definitely wrong; especially when he got several texts saying to call immediately.

 

Jon checked his phone again. This time the text was from his mom. “Jon! Call me or JH immediately!” The young Kent considered for a moment. If he was supposed to call his mom or John Henry, then they probably needed help with their warsuits or something technology related. And based on the nature of his mom’s text, whatever was going on was pretty urgent. Had somebody been hurt again? Did they–

 

“You know, Jon, if you would quit looking at that phone then maybe you would actually answer me when I’m asking you questions,” Nathan said, glaring at his guest once again.

 

“Huh? What? Sorry, if you guys could excuse me for a moment?” Even though Jon had technically asked, he didn’t wait for a response. He walked as far away from everyone else as he could before calling his mom.

 

She answered immediately. “Jonathan, thank goodness. Is everything okay?”

 

“Yeah, I’m fine, just at Charlotte’s house. What’s going on,” Jon asked quietly, hoping no one could hear him.

 

“You need to get away. Call John Henry. He will pick you up and take you to the Fortress. Natalie needs to be patched up and help fixing her suit.”

 

“Is the situation bad?”

 

“Bad enough,” Lois said softly. “Let me know when you’re safe.”

 

“Of course. Be safe, Mom. I love you.”

 

“I love you too, Jonathan.”

 

He hung up the phone and let out a deep breath. The coming conversation would not be a fun one, but Jon didn’t really have a choice.

 

~~~~~

 

When everything was all said and done, Jon’s departure from the Reynolds’ house could not have gone worse. Even though he explained that he was sorry and that there was an emergency, Nathan and Sarah were extremely displeased. They wanted answers that Jon couldn’t give, which didn’t go over very well. Marcus didn’t have much to say, though he seemed to look at Jon in a new light.

 

The worst part was leaving Charlotte. She looked so disappointed that Jon was going and that he didn’t have any answers for her. As Jon walked out the front door, he felt awful.

 

He really had no choice in the matter. There was an emergency and if John Henry needed to return to battle, then only Jon could help Natalie with her suit.

 

Jon got in his car. This was exactly the situation that he worried would happen as he continued to get close to Charlotte. And only time would tell if she could actually handle this part of his life.

Chapter 43: Everything

Summary:

After a tense week apart, Charlotte must come to an understanding about her relationship with Jon.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Lois was right, the situation wasn’t life or death…but it had been bad enough. John Henry was able to whisk Jon to the Fortress where Natalie was and then rush back to help Jordan and Clark. He was confident that Jon would be able to help Nat–and he did.

 

Natalie wasn’t hurt too badly, but none of them really assumed they were isolated attacks and the guys knew they could use Natalie’s help again, meaning she would need help getting her suit fixed, especially after engaging in an intense fight.

 

Jon was happy to help that afternoon…and a few evenings throughout the next week when there were additional attacks and time sensitive repairs to be done. He had a good mind and a strong understanding of the technology used in the steel suits. Besides, he had spent years working with Natalie to develop and perfect the tech on her suit, so it made sense that he would offer assistance when the situation was serious.

 

Due to his other commitments with school and football lately, Jon hadn’t been as involved in superhero business for a while. But in this case, the attackers had gotten their hands on some supersonic destructive weapons that had proved to be quite problematic. Plus, they staged attacks in different areas, forcing the whole group to split up. And when they were apart, it made the kryptonite a lot more dangerous for Clark and Jordan, since Nat and John Henry couldn’t really help them.

 

It was a pretty trying week overall and with Jon and Lara creating a special kryptonite resistant material that they could add to the front of Clark and Jordan’s costumes, the team was eventually able to overpower the assassins and end the threat.

 

The solution wasn’t perfect or long term, but it was enough to help them make it through and get the attackers in jail. It was a good thing that Jon didn’t need much sleep because he spent several late nights at the fortress or with John Henry and Natalie at one of their garages.

 

Logically, Jon knew that he wasn’t required to help out. The Kent’s had come to an agreement when Jon had first gone to college. His family had chosen the superhero lifestyle, but he had not. And because of that decision, he had every right to decline to be involved in intense situations, which he often did.

 

It’s not that Jon didn’t want to offer his assistance, but if he got involved too much then he wouldn’t be able to have the normal life that he had been working so hard for. At times the separation could be challenging for both Jon and his parents. Sometimes he felt left out of things, sometimes they tried to involve Jon in things that weren’t his concern, and sometimes there was just miscommunication that brought up complicated emotions.

 

Overall though, the Kent’s did a good job respecting the life that Jon had for himself and kept him away from the everyday superhero business. But sometimes…the situation just felt too serious and he was dragged back in–like with the attacks in the past week.

 

The difference in this particular situation was that the attacks were so widespread that any hit on Natalie or John Henry’s suits became detrimental to the fights and they couldn’t take their time with repairs. Plus, Jon was able to work with Nat and Lara to update some Kryptonian weapons that eventually became very helpful.

 

In the end, Jon was happy that his mom had called him. They hadn’t dealt with such serious attacks in a while and Jon knew that if he had stayed out of it he would have felt guilty, especially if something bad had happened.

 

The problem was, his involvement with his family that week kept Jon away from spending any real time with Charlotte. And because of what he was doing, he couldn’t really give her any specific details–which had created some tension between the two. A problem for which Jon had no answers.

 

~~~~~

 

Just as Jon was thinking about all the challenges in the last week, Charlotte was as well. She had believed him when he said that he was dealing with some family business. Every time they met up, even if it was only a short time, Charlotte could tell that Jon was telling the truth. His eyes were too weary, too filled with concern to be doing anything enjoyable.

 

It wasn’t a matter of trust on her end…the issue was that Charlotte wished Jon would trust her. Despite the deep, meaningful relationship they shared, for some reason, Jon was unwilling to be honest with her about what was going on with his family and why it affected him so much.

 

If it wasn’t for her parents pestering him during the meal they had shared, Charlotte wouldn’t have known that his parents were married or that he had a brother.

 

Charlotte’s mom had accused Jon of having problems with his brother, which he quickly refuted. And once again, Char believed him. Even though Jon’s voice was in control, Charlotte could see that his eyes told a different story. He didn’t have problems with his brother, in fact it was the opposite–Jon loved him. 

 

Most people wouldn’t have caught onto that fact, but Charlotte was a trained observer, and in her opinion, Jon’s feelings about his brother were obvious. Based on the way his eyes softened, Charlotte guessed that the brothers were close and had been through a lot together.

 

Clearly, Jon didn’t want to talk about him for some reason. And although Charlotte was insanely curious, she respected and loved Jon enough to know that he would talk about his brother when he was ready.

 

Even though Charlotte was willing to be patient, she still wondered just who this other guy was that meant so much to Jon. 

 

What was he like? Were they similar or had common interests? How close were they in age? Did they play together a lot as kids or have separate friends? 

 

The questions had been running through her mind a lot lately, especially because she and Jon hadn’t been able to spend much time together. 

 

It was Tuesday evening now, a little over a week since Jon’s sudden disappearance at the family dinner and Charlotte was once again eating alone. Jon was with the JV kids at an away football game and Char had opted to stay home.

 

She was just about to warm up some food when there was a knock at the door. Charlotte opened it and was surprised to see…Natalie.

 

“Hi. Can I come in?”

 

“Sure,” said Charlotte after a moment of deliberation. She gestured for Natalie to come inside and shut the door behind her “What’s up?”

 

“I wasn’t sure I was actually going to find you here,” Nat said, wringing her hands a bit. “I assumed you would be with Jon.”

 

“He’s traveling for a JV game today. What did you want Natalie,” asked Char, not really in the mood for small talk.

 

“I feel like things are weird between us and I wanted to clear the air.”

 

“Everything’s fine.”

 

Natalie crossed her arms. “Jon told me it’s not.”

 

“Well, what do you want me to say? Jon left in the middle of dinner with my family and has been practically AWOL all week with very little explanation.”

 

“That’s because I needed his help on a project.”

 

“He was with you?”

 

“Yes. It was a time sensitive thing, a project that was a lot more involved then I expected and I knew I could use Jon’s help. I’m so used to him being around when I need it that I didn’t even think to ask if he had other plans. Then, of course when Jon saw that I needed help he was too polite to say anything.”

 

Charlotte could see there was more going on here than she originally assumed. She took a seat on the small couch and gestured for Natalie to do the same. “And the other days this week?”

 

“He was with me some of the time,” Natalie said, opting not to tell a total lie. “But there was just a lot of family stuff going on this week, which is probably why he was so distracted.”

 

“And I bet no one is going to take the time to tell me what any of that family stuff is,”

 

“It’s complicated,” Natalie said softly, wishing more than anything that she had a better answer. Maybe a different approach would be better. “Charlotte…you have to understand something. Jon is a very private person. The way he grew up…let’s just say he wasn’t in a position to be open with a lot of people. So the fact that he hasn’t been completely honest, has nothing to do with his feelings for you. He just has a habit of protecting himself, that’s all.”

 

“I guess I just thought…that maybe he would actually be honest with me, that he cared about me enough to trust whatever he’s carrying around.”

 

“Oh Char, he does,” Natalie said, reaching across the couch to place her hand on Charlotte’s before she could even think to question if it was a good idea. “I know for a fact that he loves and adores you. His hesitation has nothing to do with that. He’s just used to thinking about the needs of other people and probably doesn’t want you to worry.”

 

Charlotte furrowed her brow. “Do I have a reason to be worried?”

 

“No it’s just…”

 

“Complicated,” Charlotte said, finishing her friend’s thought.

 

Nat gave her a small smile. “Exactly.”

 

Charlotte gave Nat’s hand a quick squeeze before pulling her hand back. “So what do you think I should do?”

 

“Just be there for him.” Natalie said simply. “Let him know that you still love him, even if he can’t tell you everything right now. And I promise, if you just be patient, he’ll come around. I just know it.”

 

~~~~~

 

Charlotte decided to take Natalie’s advice. With how tense things had been between her and Jon lately, she was willing to try anything. So she waited at the school for the bus to come back from the JV game. Once all the kids had gone home she sent a text to Jon to meet her in the middle of the football field, that it was important. She knew that Jon was probably thoroughly confused, but knowing him he was going to come anyway.

 

When Jon walked towards the field, he wasn’t quite sure what to expect. He wasn’t in the mood for any games or fighting. Truthfully, he really just wanted to go home and get some sleep. But after everything he had put Charlotte through lately, he owed it to her to at least see what she wanted to talk about. The text just said that it was urgent.

 

As the football field came into view, Jon stopped in his tracks. Charlotte appeared to be sitting in the middle of the field with lights all around her. What the heck?

 

Jon moved closer to get a better look. And when he did, Jon couldn’t believe his eyes. Charlotte was in fact sitting on a blanket, wearing a deep blue dress– one of Jon’s favorite outfits to see her in. She had scattered small, battery operated candles around the blanket, the dim lights giving her an ethereal glow. Her long blonde hair was draped elegantly across her shoulder and the slightest hints of makeup brushed across her face. There was a picnic basket in the corner, but Jon barely registered it, he was too focused on his girlfriend.

 

“Char…what…what’s all this?”

 

“It’s a late night picnic. Sit with me, please?”

 

Jon obliged, taking a spot right across from Charlotte. She began pulling things out of the picnic basket: a wine bottle, glasses, a loaf of Italian bread and chocolate covered strawberries.

 

“Babe, I’m not complaining or anything…but where is all of this coming from?”

 

“Natalie came over to my place this evening.” Charlotte poured wine into each of the glasses. She handed one to Jon. “She felt like things were weird between us and wanted to talk.”

 

“And did you,” Jon asked, taking a sip of the dark wine.

 

“We did. She explained some things and it was nice to clear the air. Then we talked about how I’ve been feeling about you.”

 

Jon lowered the glass. “And…how have you been feeling about me?”

 

“Confused,” Charlotte admitted, taking a drink from her own glass. “I felt like we were in this really good place and then you start pulling away, saying that you were busy and that there was family stuff going on, which would have been fine, except you didn’t actually tell me anything about what’s going on with you.”

 

“Char–”

 

“Let me finish, please? I told Natalie that this whole thing made me feel like…you just didn’t trust me, and that’s been really hard, especially because I’ve been so proud of our relationship. But then Natalie explained some things.”

 

Jon took another drink of wine, deeper this time. “What kinds of things?”

 

“Like how you’ve always been a really private person, and that it’s hard for you to open up to people because you’re so used to keeping your emotions inside.”

 

“Wow, sometimes it amazes me how well Nat knows me,” Jon exhaled. He placed his wine glass on the corner of the blanket and met Charlotte’s eyes. “So where does that leave us?”

 

“Well, I realized something.” Charlotte set down her wine glass as well and pulled one of the chocolate covered strawberries from the bowl. “As curious as I am about everything that’s been going on with you…I’m more worried about losing you. So I made a decision.” She offered the strawberry to Jon and he took the piece of fruit from her and began nibbling on it. Then Charlotte grabbed another one for herself.

 

“I’m not going to ask you any more questions that you can’t answer. I’m going to trust that there’s a reason that you can’t tell me everything.” She took a bite of her own strawberry before speaking again. “I definitely have some questions, but I can be patient. Because I love you too much to demand answers that you can’t give me. So I’m going to be here, supporting you, and loving you with everything that I am…because you have my heart Jon Kent. My heart totally and completely belongs to you.”

 

Jon set the half eaten strawberry aside and gently took Charlotte’s face in his hands before slowly, gently pulling her in for a kiss. He caressed her smooth cheekbones and ran his fingers through her wavy hair. Charlotte dropped her strawberry as well, the normally delicious fruit completely forgotten. 

 

Because at that moment, the only thing she knew…was Jon.

 

Charlotte didn’t care that he couldn’t answer all her questions, or that he had been insanely busy the past week. Jon Kent was her everything, and she wasn’t going anywhere. The kiss continued, growing deeper and more intense, as it often did with the two of them. But when Charlotte placed her hand on Jon’s cheek and felt something wet, she paused. Jon was…crying?

 

She pulled back and even with the dim light of the candles she could see the tears streaming down Jon’s face. “Babe, what’s wrong? I thought you would be happy?”

 

“I am,” he whispered, struggling for words. “I’m just so…relieved. I thought I was losing you but I felt guilty for trying to make you stay, so I gave you space. Even though it was killing me I was giving you space because I thought it was best for you.”

 

“Baby don’t you see,” Charlotte softly pleaded, brushing away his tears. “ You are what’s best for me. I was never going to leave you, I just had to figure out how to come to terms with everything that had been going on. But now that I have, we can just be us again.”

 

“I don’t deserve you.”

 

“Jon, how can you say that,” Char asked, gripping his hands tightly.

 

“You’re sitting here, pouring your heart out, saying how much you love me, and I still can’t be honest with you. I’ve treated you so badly this past week. You deserve someone so much better, someone who can give you everything.”

 

Charlotte took one hand and threaded her fingers through the messy curls she adored so much. “Jon, you are my everything.”

 

That simple statement was all it took for Jon’s tears to start again, coming faster and harder. Charlotte pulled him in for a hug, holding on as tightly as she could. Jon buried his face in her long, golden locks, wishing he never had to let her go.

 

When his tears finally abated, he pulled back and gently took her hands. “Char, you’re my everything. I love you more than I ever thought was possible and I promise you that I’m going to treat you right and do my best to be the kind of man you deserve.”

 

When they came together again, it was different. The kiss was sweet, almost innocent, and held the promise of a dozen tomorrows. 

 

Charlotte and Jon finished their picnic, sharing the bread and strawberries, along with soulful looks that said they both wished they weren’t in the middle of a football field.

 

They talked a little, but mostly they held hands, stole kisses and gazed into each other’s eyes.

 

Were there still questions about the future? Of course. Was there a part of himself that Jon hadn’t shared with Charlotte? Definitely. At that moment, did any of that matter? Not in the slightest. Because Char’s faith and love for Jon was enough to get her through the challenges ahead. And Jon’s trust and devotion to Charlotte was slowly weakening his resolve.

 

One day soon he would introduce her to his family, and shortly after that he would talk to his parents about telling her the family secret.


Because even though Charlotte had done most of the talking that night, the truth was simple: Charlotte may have given Jon her heart, but Charlotte owned Jon’s mind, soul, body and heart. Charlotte Reynolds was Jonathan’s everything.

Notes:

I actually had a very different idea in mind for this chapter, but once I started writing, it felt like Jon and Charlotte were practically begging for this time together. Hope you enjoy :)

Chapter 44: Surprises

Summary:

Time marches on for Jon Kent as he handles football, hanging with his girlfriend, and a few other surprises along the way.

Chapter Text

After the event that Charlotte and Jon began referring to as the Football Picnic, things got a lot better between them. 

 

Charlotte stopped worrying so much about whatever Jon couldn’t tell her and Jon stopped feeling guilty for not being entirely honest with Charlotte. They both agreed that they loved each other and were happy the way things were.

 

And that was enough for now.

 

The main snag in the situation was the fact that Charlotte’s parents weren’t so keen to accept that Jon wasn’t ready to be completely honest about himself or his family. Every time he avoided answering a question they felt Jon’s behavior was suspicious and that he shouldn’t be trusted (which they brought up to Charlotte often, sometimes in front of Jon).

 

 But when that happened, Charlotte tried to explain to her parents about the agreement she had made with Jon and that she was okay if he couldn’t be totally honest with her just yet–but Nathan and Sarah Reynolds just wanted answers.

 

And although Jon didn’t tell Charlotte, his parents hadn’t reacted much better. Jon had gone home for family dinner one Sunday in September and told his parents that he wanted them to meet Charlotte sometime soon so they could tell her the big secret.

 

Lois and Clark were willing to meet her, but they drew the line at Jon telling her the truth about their family. Simply, Jon’s parents felt that it was way too soon to be revealing such a big secret. 

 

They were certainly glad that Jon had finally found someone he could see sharing his life with, but after barely dating a month, Clark and Lois wanted him to wait a little longer before bringing her into the fold.

 

Bringing up the idea of time never went over well because Jon just brought up how Melissa had known the secret immediately (since Jordan had used his powers in front of her). Lois and Clark explained how that was a different situation because it was an emergency. But in Jon’s case there was no pressure to tell Char the big secret, so it would be better to wait.

 

Jordan agreed with his parents that it was a little too soon to be revealing everything. But after spending time with Jon and listening to him talk about Charlotte and watching his eyes light up, Jordan also saw his brother’s side of the situation. He hadn’t even met her yet, but Jordan could tell that his brother shared something special with Charlotte. More than anyone, Jordan knew what it was like to want to share the secret and the guilt that came with knowing you couldn’t.

 

So it was safe to say that all family members involved had reached a bit of an impasse when it came to secrets.

 

Since his parents were making such a big deal about it, Marcus decided to talk to Jon and develop his own opinion on the matter. One day, during Jon’s planning period at school, Marcus walked to his friend’s office, after knocking first of course. Jon invited him in and Marcus didn’t mince words. “Hey, can we talk about your relationship with my sister?”

 

Jon had figured this conversation was coming and wasn’t too surprised. So he gestured for Marcus to take a seat and let his friend say what was on his mind.

 

“I’ve seen you and Charlotte together, and I know you care about her, anyone could see that, but is there a reason you haven’t been honest with her about what’s been going on with you lately?”

 

Jon took a deep breath. Even though he knew the conversation had been coming, he hadn’t yet figured out what he was going to say, which meant he would be making it up as he went along. “It’s complicated.”

 

“Look, I know that line may work on Char, but I’m not buying it. So try again.”

 

“It’s the truth, man. There’s just some stuff about my family that can be a lot to handle which is why I don't talk about it much.”

 

“But if you see a future with her, shouldn’t you be honest?”

 

“When the time is right, I hope to be,” Jon agreed with a nod. “But if it makes you feel any better, my parents think I should wait as well.”

 

Marcus furrowed his brows. “Really?”

 

“Yep. We actually got into a bit of a fight about it because I wanted to be more honest than they were comfortable with. Look man, it’s nothing bad, I swear, the situation can be a lot to handle and I’m just trying to protect Charlotte.”

 

~~~~~

 

Marcus didn’t love that answer, but he was definitely starting to understand why Jon was keeping his secrets.

 

Plus, it was hard to argue when Charlotte just seemed so happy all the time. 

 

The weeks continued on with Jon and Charlotte acting as basically a celebrity couple , especially at the games and afterparties. It’s not that they thought they were better than everyone else, it's that the community just loved them that much. All the attention was a little surprising at first, but as long as they were together, they could usually handle anything.

 

Jon and Char were invited to various events, given boatloads of attention at the afterparties and seemed to do no wrong in the eyes of the community. It was a bit of a heavy load at times, but Jon and Char were just having so much fun together, that it was hard to complain.

 

For the most part the team did great for the next few weeks, notching several wins under their belt at both the JV and varsity levels, which elicited quite the fan and community support at games. Even with one loss under their belt the town of Richardson believed wholeheartedly in Jon as the head coach.

 

In terms of football, the only real trouble was that the challenging seniors that Jon had taken the starting positions from, continued to cause trouble in any way that they could. They seemed to figure out that there was no way they were getting their starting positions back so they were determined to cause as much trouble as possible.

 

Eventually, their ringleader, Carson Dillon, got kicked off the team, a decision the principal supported one hundred percent. Carson was failing three classes, had started fights among multiple players, and even been caught defacing school property. And it was no surprise when his dad was asked to quietly resign from coaching as well.

 

It was a bit of a dramatic time but the team was better once Carson was gone and his lackeys didn’t cause as much trouble without their leader. But every time Carson saw Jon in the hallway, he stared his former coach down, with looks of revenge in his eyes. It was a little concerning for Jon, but he tried not to let it get to him.

 

Overall, things were going well, and Jon was looking forward to the first Friday night game in October.

 

~~~~~

 

Jordan Kent was jamming out to the rock music coming from the speakers of the car he had borrowed from Natalie. Driving wasn’t his favorite thing in the world, but it was a prop and would help him with his mission that evening.

 

The mission was simple: finally catch a Richardson High football game.

 

Jon hadn’t demanded that his brother come to a game, but Jordan always got the feeling that his brother would appreciate it, but the timing had never worked out–Friday nights were a busy time for superheroes.

 

But finally, Jordan had buckled down, told his dad to handle any problems that came up because he was going to one of Jon’s games. Clark hadn’t really understood Jordan’s insistence, but was supportive all the same.

 

So Jordan flew to Nat’s house, where she gave him a car that he could use to drive the rest of the way–because he would need a car in order to remain inconspicuous.

 

As much as Jordan wanted to be at the game, he was also determined to remain anonymous. He was very aware that Jon hadn’t been super open to his new friends and colleagues about his family and Jordan had no intention of ruining that for him.

 

So the plan was, go to the game, stay in the background, wait until afterwards, and when Jon was alone, let him know that his twin had finally come to a game. That way, there was no pressure on Jon to have to introduce Jordan to people or figure out how to answer all their questions.

 

Jordan smiled to himself. The plan was great and he couldn’t wait to see Jon’s surprised face.

 

~~~~~~

 

When Jordan got to the field, his first thought was how much he hated big crowds. He may have spent half of his time as Superboy, but that didn’t mean that a big part of him still wasn’t a young anxious kid who hated being around a lot of people.

 

So he settled into a corner where there weren’t as many people so it would give him a good chance to just watch; Jordan had always been an observer after all.

 

He began by scanning the field searching for the person he had come to see…and there he was, playbook in hand, talking to one of the players. Jordan smiled to himself. His brother looked so comfortable on the field, leading those guys, like he was born for it.

 

Jordan glanced around again, wondering if he would be able to spot the only other person he knew by name. And after a quick moment of searching, he spotted  her. She was holding an ‘I love Coach Kent’ sign and had exchanged a few waves with Jon when he had glanced her way.

 

So this was the famous Charlotte that had completely captured his twin’s heart, Jordan thought to himself. She was pretty, that was for sure, and Jon had always fallen for the pretty ones, but there was more to it than that. She seemed to be filled with this positive, radiating energy that had obviously attracted Jon. 

 

In addition, despite the fact that there was an exciting football game going on, Jordan noticed that she always seemed to have her eyes on Jon as the game got started. If there was a bad play, she glanced over to see how Jon reacted and if there was a good play she still looked at him with the kind of love and adoration that should be impossible at a football game.

 

As the night wore on, Jordan was pretty entertained. The Richardson high football team was actually really good and it was evident that Jon was a great coach. It was really fun to watch his brother in his element, one that had been absent from Jon’s life for far too long.

 

Plus, it gave Jordan a chance to observe Charlotte and get to know her a little better. Even though they hadn’t officially met, Jordan was happy to say that he completely approved of the smiling, blonde haired girl that had won his brother’s heart.

 

It was no surprise to anyone when the Lions won the game 27-7. The spectators stormed the field and the cheers seemed endless. Using his super hearing, Jordan listened to his brother give a rousing congratulatory speech to his players. He said he had to stop home quickly then would be joining everyone for the afterparty.

 

Just as it seemed he would finally get away, Charlotte stepped in and gave him a big kiss, eliciting many hoots and cheers from the crowd. Based on the response, Jordan got the feeling that sort of thing happened a lot.

 

Finally, Jon started to head back to his car. Jordan stayed back, waiting for the perfect time to surprise his brother. Jon was just opening the door to his car when a couple of the guys walked up…well stumbled up is more like it.

 

“Heeeyyyy Coach,” the big one slurred. “When…you gonna put meeee back on the…on the team.”

 

Jordan froze. Should he get involved? The guy was obviously drunk.

 

Jon turned around. “Not gonna happen. Go home Carson.”

 

“Come onnnnnn Coach,” Carson said, stumbling again. “It’s my seennior year.”

 

“I’m sorry Carson. But you made your choices.” Jon caught sight of Carson’s buddies, Jay Smith and Ryan Gleeson, standing awkwardly behind their friend. “Gleeson, Smith, get him home. I’m not dealing with this now.”

 

“Well maybe if you hadn’t taken away our starting spots,” Jay threw out, “then maybe Carson wouldn’t be acting like this.”

 

“I’m going to say this one more time. You all made your choices, now go home!” Jon got in the car he was borrowing from Natalie and drove off.

 

Jon was already gone, so he didn’t hear, but the moment he had left, Carson, Jay, and Ryan kept saying how the coach would be sorry.

 

Sorry?

 

What did that mean?

 

Jordan got in the car that he was borrowing from Natalie and headed towards Jon’s apartment.

 

~~~~~

 

One of the great things about having superspeed was that Jordan was able to see things in slow motion. Most of the time it was great, but on that particular night, it was about the worst thing possible for the young superhero.

 

He had a pretty good idea of where Jon’s apartment was, but in the dark, driving around, it was a little hard to remember exactly which street to turn on. Jordan was paused at a stop sign, trying to decide a course of action to take when it happened.

 

Jon was driving through the intersection and for a moment Jordan was happy. Finally! He had spotted his brother and could just follow Jon to his apartment, surprise him and–CRASH!

 

Out of nowhere a large truck barreled through and T- boned Jon’s car. The vehicles made a terrifying crunch from the impact.

 

And Jordan had been helpless to stop it.

Chapter 45: Aftermath

Summary:

After Jordan witnesses Jon's horrific accident, he must figure out what is the best course of action to take to help his injured brother.

Chapter Text

Jordan Kent was a hero. He was freaking Superboy for crying out loud and had handled countless disasters with professionalism and skill.

 

But at that moment he was completely and utterly frozen.

 

Just a few seconds earlier Jordan had been thinking about how much fun it would be to surprise his twin and now Jon was…Jon was…

 

Jordan shook his head a few times. He needed to focus and find a way to help Jon.

 

Apparently the truck that crashed into Jon’s vehicle was big and strong enough that it managed to drive away. There was some damage to the front end, but nothing compared to the destruction to the little car Jon had been driving.

 

A big part of Jordan wanted to go after those goons, but he could always do that later. The more pressing matter was Jon– that’s what he needed to focus on. However, Jordan did spend a couple of seconds listening to the guys, recognized their voices, and filed the information away. 

 

Jordan parked his vehicle on a side street and sped over to Jon’s car to survey the damage. His first instinct was to get his brother the hell out of the car.

 

But after all that impact, did Jordan really want to risk getting involved if his brother had some sort of spine or neck injury?

 

There was only one thing to do.

 

Jordan pulled out his rarely used ELT and pressed the button. “Dad…Jon’s hurt. It’s bad.”

 

About two seconds later Clark had zoomed over, dressed in full Superman regalia. “What happened?”

 

“Some assholes rammed into Jon’s car, but I didn’t know if he broke his neck or anything so I didn’t want to move him.” Jordan tried to keep his voice steady, but internally he was totally and completely freaking out.

 

Clark used his X-Ray vision to see the extent of Jon’s injuries. It wasn’t pretty, but they could safely move him. Clark yanked the door off the gently removed his limp son from the car. “I’m going to take Jon to Dave’s, you get rid of this car before somebody sees what happened.” 

 

Jordan did as his dad asked and took the car back to Natalie’s. When he explained to his sister what happened, Nat was horrified. Together, the two siblings zoomed off to Dave’s house, desperate to find out how their brother was doing.

 

Dave was just getting Jon settled when they arrived, having set up a nasal cannula and an IV. Beth was also in the room gathering some bandages and gauze pads. “How’s he doing,” Jordan asked immediately, completely focused on his brother.

 

“Not so good,” Dave answered honestly, as he was attaching a heart monitor.

 

“What can we do,” Nat asked, repulsed by Jon’s appearance.

 

“Actually, if you guys could leave and just give me some space,” Dave said, the stress of the situation already obvious on his face.

 

Jordan and Nat did as he asked, moving to the living room to wait. They hated being away from Jon when he was in such a bad state, but they both understood that Dave didn’t need an audience during the perilous time.

 

Clark flew back to the farm to get Lois and inform her of the situation. When they got back, Lois and Clark nervously waited in the Miller’s living room with Jordan and Natalie. 

 

Nobody really knew what to say.

 

Sitting there together, waiting for an update on Jon was all too similar to the situations they had faced with the boys’ health issues less than a few months ago. Things had gone so well since then. Both Jordan and Jon had gotten a clean bill of health from Dave and everything had been fine.

 

But now…all that stability and peace was completely up in the air.

 

After about twenty minutes, Beth came in and gave the disheartening update: Jon was stable…for now, but he would have a long road ahead. Jon was in a medically induced coma, which would give his body a chance to recover. Dave was convinced that Jon might need surgery eventually, though he had no idea what that would look like. And at this point it wasn’t worth talking about because Jon was just so weak.

 

Beth invited the Kent’s to go see Jon, when Jordan had a realization. “Wait guys, shouldn’t we tell his girlfriend?”

 

“Well, I don’t know if we should tell her now, we really don’t know anything. It would be better to wait until we have some more concrete answers,” reasoned Lois.

 

“But she’s at the football afterparty waiting for Jon. And I heard him, he told her he would be right back. What’s she going to think when he doesn’t show up?”

 

“I guess I could send her a text and say Jon’s with me,” said Natalie, seeing Jordan’s point, “but she’s going to hate that.”

 

“Guys, I’m telling you, just let me fly back and tell her what’s going on. She deserves to know,” Jordan insisted, remembering the loving looks that Charlotte had been giving his brother less than a few hours ago.

 

“But they haven’t been together very long, couldn’t we just tell her something came up and give her details later,” said Clark, anxious to get to Jon.

 

Jordan shook his head. No one was listening to him. “You guys just don’t get it.”

 

And before anyone could try and stop him, Jordan flew off.

 

~~~~~

 

The party was in full swing and Charlotte was trying not to worry. Jon had said that he would be back soon, that he was just grabbing something from his apartment.

 

Charlotte glanced down at her phone. That had been over a half an hour ago. She even texted Jon a flirty message saying how much she already missed him, but hadn’t gotten a reply.

 

Weird.

 

She tried to let herself get distracted by the mindless chatter of her friends…but couldn’t.

 

Why wasn’t Jon back yet? What else did he have to do? Friday night afterparties were staples in Richardson. Jon wouldn’t just bail…

 

The whole situation was very strange, and only got worse when the weird guy walked in.

 

He had been sitting in the bleachers and had stared at her for a majority of the football game. At first Charlotte had been wracking her brain, trying to figure out if she knew him from somewhere…but she didn’t.

 

The guy kind of looked familiar…maybe…but Charlotte had no idea where she would have seen him before.

 

But he just kept staring.

 

It was almost like…he was judging her…or trying to figure out what to make of her. Yet Charlotte still had absolutely no idea who the guy was.

 

He looked a little nerdy, with big, dark glasses and he seemed a little awkward whenever anyone tried to interact with him. He had messy, dark curls, that had almost a windblown look. In addition, he was sporting a dark hoodie and jeans.

 

And then, as if things couldn’t get any worse, after looking around for a minute, the curly haired guy spotted Charlotte and started walking towards her. Charlotte was sure they had never met before, yet there was something familiar about him. On top of that, the way he was staring, showed that at the very least, he knew her.

 

Charlotte turned away, hoping that the guy would just go somewhere else, but he didn’t. Eventually he was right in front of her and Charlotte was forced to turn to him. “Hi, can I help you?”

 

“You’re Charlotte?”

 

“Yes. I don’t think we’ve met before.”

 

“No we haven’t. I need to talk to for a minute, privately,” he said, looking pointedly at her friends.

 

“I’m sorry, but I’m not going to go somewhere with strange guy I’ve never met and–”

 

“It’s about Jon.”

 

Charlotte’s eyebrows shot up. “Jon? What do you know about Jon?”

 

“Look, lets just talk over there, okay?”

 

Charlotte nodded and wordlessly followed this strange guy who seemed to know Jon. True to his word, they went off to the side where there were no people, but they were very much still out in the open, which Charlotte appreciated. “So what do you want to tell me about Jon,” she asked, once they had walked far enough away, still not completely trusting this dude.

 

The dark haired guy looked at her, an expression of indescribable sadness crossing his face. He was quiet a moment longer, struggling to find the words before he finally met her eyes and said, “Jon was in a car accident.”

 

Charlotte’s heart dropped, she had known something was wrong. Then she brushed the feeling aside. Why should she trust this guy? How would he know if anything had happened with Jon? “Seriously? I don’t know who you are, but that’s not funny.”

 

“It’s not a joke. The situation is pretty bad and I know Jon means a lot so I needed to tell you.”

 

Charlotte’s instinct was to insist once again that this guy was crazy, that there was no way she was going to believe that Jon had gotten in a car accident. She had just seen him after the game. They had kissed. This guy was insane. There was no way Jon was in a…but the guy…whoever he was, didn’t appear to be kidding around. He just kept looking at her with the saddest expression on his face.

 

So did that mean that Jon had actually…oh God…

 

“What happened,” whispered Charlotte, her heart beginning to beat faster.

 

“He wasn’t too far from his house when he got T-boned on the driver’s side.”

 

Charlotte gasped and brought her hand up to her mouth. Just the thought that another car had rammed into Jon’s was enough to send her reeling.

 

No….no…not her Jon…

 

“The car was totaled and he was taken by…helicopter back home.” Jordan only paused for a second when describing how Jon had been flown safely away. Superman…helicopter…it was basically the same thing, and Charlotte didn’t seem to notice.

 

“So…he’s at the hospital,” Charlotte asked, shaking a little, barely daring to believe exactly what this stranger was saying.

 

“There’s a doctor waiting to take care of him as soon as he arrives.”

 

Suddenly, a switch flipped in Charlotte’s brain. “No! He can’t be there by himself. You don’t understand, he’s scared of doctors. We can’t let him wake up in a strange place all alone. He will be terrified and–”

 

“Charlotte, please relax, okay,” the man said, gently placing his hands on her arms. “Jon’s not going to wake up for a while.”

 

She deflated. “He’s not?”

 

“No,” Jordan answered, pulling his arms back, not wanting to make his brother’s girlfriend too uncomfortable. “He’s going to be unconscious for a while and possibly need surgery.”

 

“Unconscious…surgery…oh God…I can’t…”

 

Jordan saw the way Charlotte was swaying and rushed over to a nearby table to get a chair. Because there were so many witnesses he couldn’t move quite as fast as he would have preferred, but it was enough. Charlotte sat down in the chair and dropped her head in her hands, still shaking.

 

“Surgery,” she whispered. “It’s really that bad?”

 

“Probably. It’s too soon to tell,” Jordan squatted down and awkwardly placed a hand on her back. This was a hell of a way to start their relationship. And even though they had just met, Jordan still wanted to be there for her. If anyone knew what it was like to be worried about Jon, it was Jordan Kent.

 

Unfortunately, he wasn’t the only one who noticed how badly Charlotte was taking the news. Her parents had seen what was going on but had kept their distance. But when Charlotte got emotional…they decided to get involved.

 

“Who the hell are you and what are you doing to my daughter,” thundered Nathan rushing over, with his wife following closely behind.

 

“I’m…I didn’t…I mean…” Jordan stood up and raised his hands in the air.

 

“No Daddy, he didn’t do anything,” Charlotte said, finally looked up. She still didn’t know who he was, but this stranger had taken the time to tell her about Jon. Not only that, he was clearly sensitive to the fact that she was taking the news pretty tough. Charlotte addressed her dad. “He was just telling me about Jon…he was in a car accident.”

 

“A car accident,” Sarah asked, surprise written all over her face. Out of all the things that she thought might be going on, that was the last thing she expected. She may not entirely trust Jon yet, but she had grown used to his presence and the fact that somehting might have happened to him was simply shocking. Sarah placed a gentle hand on Charlotte’s shoulder. “Is he okay?”

 

“No, I don't think so. It’s a little overwhelming to hear and I’m worried.”

 

“I’m sorry to make her upset, really I am,” Jordan said, “but I just thought she should know. I can leave now if you want.”

 

Jordan hadn’t even taken a step back when Charlotte reached out and grabbed his wrist. “Wait! Are you going to see Jon?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Take me with you.”

 

“Huh?”

 

In that moment, the answer seemed so simple. “Let me go with you so you can take me to Jon,” Charlotte said. She had stood up and was clinging to Jordan’s wrist, desperate not to lose to the one link she had to her boyfriend.

 

Jordan stiffened. He just wanted to tell Charlotte what was going on…he hadn’t expected this sort of reaction. “But he was taken back to where he grew up…it’s like six hours away.”

 

Charlotte could not be deterred. “I don’t care. If Jon is as badly hurt as you say he is, then I have to see him. Take me with you. Please.

 

Jordan pondered the situation for a moment. Surely, Jon wouldn’t want his girlfriend around when he was in such bad shape. Their whole family dynamic was insanely complicated and bringing her into the fold was bound to get dicey. Besides, Lois and Clark had made it clear that they didn’t want Charlotte to know the truth about their family, and if Jordan brought her to Dave’s house, it would be hard to keep such a big secret.

 

However…Jordan couldn’t deny the feelings that Charlotte seemed to have for his brother. It really wasn’t fair to leave her behind and completely in the dark when Jon was in so much trouble…

 

Oh hell. There would probably be consequences for this, but anybody who would yell at him didn’t have to face this crying girl who was so obviously in love with Jon.

 

“Alright. I’ll take you.”

 

“Oh thank yo–”

 

“No way,” Nathan said, interrupting his daughter. “You’re not driving six hours with some guy we don’t know.”

 

“But Daddy, if Jon’s hurt then–”

 

“Then you can get a number and call someone to find out how Jon’s doing,” Nathan insisted. “There’s no reason to do anything crazy.”

 

“Besides,” added Sarah. How do you even know you can trust this guy? We don’t even know who he is.”

 

As much as she wanted to see Jon, Charlotte realized her parents were right, She had been so worried about her boyfriend that she had forgotten to ask that very important question. “They’re right. I never even asked your name.”

 

Jordan stiffened. With steel in his eyes he faced the Reynolds family. “My name is Jordan Kent. Jon’s my brother.”

Chapter 46: The Trip

Summary:

Jordan and Charlotte make the six hour journey back to Dave's house and get to know each other a little more in the process.

Chapter Text

 

For some reason, when the stranger claimed that Jon had been in a car accident, Charlotte didn’t even imagine that the person delivering the news was Jon’s brother. She always assumed that it would be months before she met the guy, based on the way her boyfriend always seemed so tight lipped about his family. 

 

And now here he was…in the flesh.

 

Charlotte’s first thought was that this…this… Jordan was not how she pictured Jon’s brother. Because if she was being honest, Char had totally thought about what he would look and act like, simply because she was so damn curious.

 

And this guy was about the furthest thing from what she had pictured.

 

He didn’t seem to share Jon’s athleticism, confidence, or even style. But the more Charlotte looked at Jordan, she couldn’t deny that the two brother’s shared a physical resemblance. Wow…he really was…

 

“You’re…Jon’s brother,” Charlotte asked, a slightly questioning tone to her voice.

 

“I am. I came to the game to surprise Jon. When I saw that he was going to his apartment I decided to follow him, surprise him there…then I saw the accident,” Jordan softened, making it obvious just how tough the situation was for him. “Once he got taken care of I just knew I had to tell you what had happened. You deserved to know.”

 

“Wait, you knew who Charlotte was,” Sarah Reynolds asked.

 

“Sure,” Jordan answered with a shrug. “Jon talks about you all the time. That’s how I knew I had to come find you and tell you what’s going on; he would have wanted me to.”

 

Charlotte blushed and glanced down. She may not have known much about Jordan, but it was clear he knew about her. As concerned as she was about Jon, Char couldn’t deny how good it felt to know that Jon’s brother understood just how important she was to him.

 

“I still don’t like it,” Nathan said, crossing his arms, “but I guess if you’re going with Jon’s brother…that makes it a little different. But I want regular updates and…”

 

Suddenly, Charlotte didn’t care about anything else. Her parents had given her the okay to go with Jordan to see Jon, and that was the only thing that mattered.

 

~~~~~

 

After a brief discussion, Charlotte informed Jon’s boss, principal Kyle Sawyer about what had happened. Kyle was shocked, to say the least, and promised to handle all of Jon’s classes.

 

Charlotte agreed to keep in touch and have Jon call as soon as he was able; though Kyle understood that it might not be for a few days.

 

Before leaving, they talked to Marcus, who was also quite shocked to learn about Jon’s accident. He wanted to go along to see his friend, but Charlotte insisted that Marcus stay home and that she would call with any information.

 

After they left the fairgrounds–before someone else tried to talk to them–Jordan agreed to stop at Charlotte’s apartment so she could grab a few things for the trip (since they didn’t know how long she would be staying). While she ran inside, Jordan stayed in the car and called his parents to give them a heads up about the guest he was bringing.

 

Lois answered on the first ring. “Hello?”

 

“Mom, how’s Jon?”

 

She hesitated for a moment before answering. “He’s still stable, thankfully, but he’s in pretty bad shape. When are you going to be back?”

 

Jordan let out a deep sigh. “Not for a while unfortunately. I’m bringing Charlotte so we have to drive back.”

 

“What? Jordan, why would you do that?”

 

“Because she’s really worried about Jon. She was crying and could barely stand because the news was so shocking. I couldn’t just leave her like that.”

 

Okay, Lois admitted to herself. She did feel bad for the other girl, it would be pretty awful to find out your boyfriend was in a car accident, especially somebody as dynamic and full of life as Jon normally was.

 

“Okay, I guess I can understand that,” Lois said softly. “But do you think she can really handle all this?”

 

“I don’t know,” Jordan answered honestly. “But she insisted that I take her to Jon, so we’re going to use the car I borrowed from Nat. Charlotte’s in her apartment grabbing a few things since she will probably want to stay for at least a few days, which is why I thought I should use this time to reach out to you guys.”

 

“Yeah, that was a good call. I guess I should wish you luck.”

 

“Thanks. I think I’ll need it.”

 

“What’s she like,” Lois couldn’t resist asking.

 

Jordan considered for a moment. “She seems nice, I haven’t spent a lot of time with her yet, but I can tell you that she really does care about Jon.”

 

“Well, that’s good. I have to be honest, I’m anxious to meet her myself.”

 

“And you’ll get that chance in the morning when we get there,” Jordan said, knowing that it would be close to midnight by the time they left Richardson. “Hey, she’s coming back. I gotta go, Mom. Call me if there’s any big news, otherwise I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

“Sounds good. Love you sweetie.”

 

“Love you too, Mom,” Jordan answered softly. He hung up the phone right before Charlotte opened the door to the back seat to toss a couple of bags in. Then she shut it and moved to the front to sit by Jordan.

 

“I think you have enough clothes in there for three months,” Jordan murmured sarcastically.

 

“You can never be too prepared,” Char answered smoothly. Marcus had accused her for years of overpacking, so the fact that Jordan had made a comment similar to one her own brother would have made was immediately comforting.

 

“Alright then, if you say so,” Jordan said, with a hint of a smile before putting the car in drive and heading down the road.

 

“So when are you going to want to switch?”

 

“I’m sorry, what?”

 

“When are you going to want me to take over driving? Six hours is a long time. I assumed you wanted to split the distance.”

 

Well this was awkward. “Um…actually no, it’s fine. I can drive the whole way,” Jordan said, surprised that less than a minute into the drive he already managed to be uncomfortable. Because he didn’t need much sleep, Jordan figured he would have no problem driving the whole way. Of course, he couldn’t tell Charlotte that.”

 

“Oh. Well then are we stopping somewhere for the night?”

 

“No, I just figured I would drive straight there.”

 

“You were planning to drive all night?” Even though Jordan couldn’t see her face, her tone of disbelief was evident.

 

“Um. Yeah.”

 

“I know we just met and everything, so I probably shouldn’t be telling you what to do, but that seems like a really bad idea. No offense.”

 

“Look–”

 

“I mean you can get tired and swerve the car and–”

 

“Charlotte! That’s not gonna happen okay? I promise, I have everything under control.”

 

“But how–”

 

“Because I want to get to Jon,” Jordan answered, cutting her off. “I’m really worried about him so trust me, I’m pretty motivated to get there safely.” He turned onto the highway; the long empty stretch of road looked endless.

 

“Oh. I guess I didn’t think about that. I’m sorry.”

 

“Damn it. No. I’m the one who should be sorry for yelling. You didn’t do anything. I just get a little crazy sometimes when I’m worried about Jon.”

 

“I can understand that.” Charlotte settled into the seat. They may have had a bit of a bumpy start, but Jordan was clearly a good driver and proved to be totally in control of the vehicle despite his emotions. “You worry about Jon a lot?”

 

“Every day of my life,” Jordan answered softly, not missing a beat. He noticed Charlotte’s silence and rushed to clarify himself. “Not because he’s always doing stupid stuff or anything like that. Well not usually. Although lately…never mind. What I mean is–”

 

“That you care about him,” Charlotte said, finishing Jordan’s thought.

 

He exhaled. “Yeah…exactly.”

 

“I bet it’s hard living so far away from him,” Charlotte said, continuing to read Jordan’s mind.

 

“It can be,” Jordan admitted. “I mean, I’m happy for him and everything he’s doing in Richardson, but sometimes I miss the way things were when we were younger, when we could hang out all the time.”

 

“Well, I don’t want to speak for Jon, but I’m sure he misses hanging out with you, and I know that you’re important to him as well.”

 

“You’re pretty perceptive.”

 

Charlotte shrugged. “I work with social services, I kind of have to be observant. A big part of my job is analyzing people and situations, picking up clues and details that aren’t explicitly stated.”

 

“Okay Ms. Social Services worker, what are your instincts saying about me?”

 

Charlotte considered everything she had seen and heard from Jordan before answering. “Well, you’re very different from Jon, that much was immediately obvious to me.”

 

“What do you mean by different,” Jordan asked, trying not to get defensive. He and Jon had worked hard to develop unique personalities and interests over the years, which was a healthy thing for twins to do. But at the same time, their unique bond had permanently connected them as well.

 

“Well, Jon’s a lot more forward and confident, but you seem to kind of prefer the background. Jon likes being social and is a real people person, whereas you seem more comfortable in a small group setting, like with just the two of us. And, if we’re being honest, I don’t think Jon would ever be caught driving a car like this.”

 

Jordan broke into a smile. “Okay, most of that is pretty accurate, but just for the record, I don’t have bad taste in vehicles, this one is just on loan from Nat. I know it’s ugly. That’s why she gave it to me, she thought it would be funny.”

 

“Wow, that’s so nice of her,” Char said sarcastically.

 

“I know right? This one time Jon and I…” Jordan trailed off, just the mention of his brother was enough to bring the whole mood down. “I’m sorry. Usually I have no problem telling dumb stories about my brother. But after seeing him in that accident…I don’t think I’m gonna be able to do that tonight.”

 

“Was it bad?”

 

Jordan didn’t have the words to describe how bad the accident had been. All that broken glass, twisted metal…and the blood.

 

So much blood. All of it belonging to Jon.

 

“It was pretty bad, yeah,” said Jordan, settling on a vague answer, knowing he wouldn’t be able to say any of the gory details. It was just too soon.

 

“But he’s tough. He’ll be fine," Jordan said, attempting to convince himself more than Charlotte. “He has to be.”

 

Before Char could answer, she gave a big yawn.

 

“Sounds like somebody’s getting tired,” Jordan said, glancing sideways at his traveling companion.

 

“Maybe a little,” Charlotte admitted, “But I’m also enjoying talking to you.”

 

“Same here. Jon talks about you all the time, it’s nice to be able to see the person he’s always going on about.”

 

Although she totally wasn’t going to fall asleep yet, Char grabbed her pillow from the back seat, leaned it against the window and laid back. Just to get more comfortable of course.

 

“So I told you what I think about you, what do you think when you see me,” Charlotte asked, curious of how he would answer.

 

“Well, you’re obviously gorgeous, no surprise there. But you also just radiate this energy and positivity that would have attracted Jon immediately. And after getting to talk to you I’d say that you’re also a pretty deep, observant person, which Jon would also have appreciated. How did I do?”

 

“Pretty spot on, actually,” Char said, thoroughly impressed.

 

Jordan shrugged. “Yeah well, I’ve always kind of been on the outside as well, so I tend to be a pretty observant person as well.”

 

“Maybe with the two of us working together we can keep Jon out of trouble,” Char wondered, struggling to keep her eyes open.

 

“Who knows,” Jon answered. He had heard Charlotte’s voice kind of slow down, so he glanced over and saw that, sure enough, she was close to falling asleep, but fighting it.

 

So Jordan turned on the radio to a station with soothing music, which totally worked like a charm. He may have had his brother’s girlfriend sleeping next to him, but for the moment, Jordan could finally be alone with his thoughts.

 

The good news: he was finally meeting Charlotte, the girl Jon couldn’t stop talking about. The bad news: Jon had been in a terrible accident and they would all have to work really hard to keep the family secret from Charlotte.

 

But as difficult as that would be, Jordan knew they were making the right decision. The girl obviously loved Jon and was willing to ride in the car with a virtual stranger to get to him. Time would tell exactly how she handled seeing him in such bad shape.

 

Not at all tired, Jordan pressed down on the gas pedal, and raced toward his brother.

 

~~~~~

 

The first thing Charlotte became aware of was that there was a crick in her neck. That was weird. She usually slept pretty comfortably. And there wasn’t usually this much light shining in her window…

 

Wait, she was moving? What the…

 

Then suddenly it all came rushing back. She was riding with Jordan because they were off to see Jon, who had been…in a car accident.

 

She forced her eyes open and turned to Jordan, who was still comfortably at the wheel. “How’s Jon?”

 

“Wow, morning, I see where your priorities lie,” Jordan said with a knowing smirk.

 

“Yeah, yeah, good morning. Did you hear anything else about Jon?”

 

Jordan widened his smile. This girl really did have a one track mind. “I got a few updates throughout the night. It’s pretty ugly, they’re kind of waiting for his body to recover from some of the trauma before they make any big decisions.”

 

“You mean like…surgery,” Char asked, running a hand through her hair.

 

“Yep, I was told there’s a pretty good chance he’s going to need some kind of reconstructive surgery on his leg.”

 

“Oh God,” Char said, dropping her face into her hands. “I need to see him. How far away are we? And what time is it?”

 

“We’ll see Jon soon enough. We’re maybe twenty minutes outside of Bristol and it’s about 6:30 AM. But we’re going to stop for breakfast first. There’s this little diner that's really good.”

 

Charlotte snapped her head toward Jordan. “What? Why? I need to get to Jon.”

 

“Because we have a long couple days ahead, and you need some breakfast.”

 

“But–”

 

“Nothing is happening right now. He’s resting. If something changes, I’ll get a call. And Jon would never forgive me if I let you starve.”

 

Char settled back in her seat. “Okay fine. Sorry, I’m just a little anxious.”

 

“Same here. Did you sleep okay?”

 

“I did. Thanks for driving all night,” she said, patting down her hair, knowing it must probably look like a haystack.

 

“No problem. Like I said, I’m motivated too.”

 

~~~~~

 

Jordan and Charlotte settled into an easy conversation. Char mostly talked about her job, with Jordan asking questions at appropriate times–both of them subconsciously agreeing that it was a good, safe topic to discuss for the time being.

 

The diner was nice, just like Jordan had said, and despite being close to seven in the morning, actually had great service. Neither ate too much, since they were still so anxious about Jon, but Jordan had been right, the food was a good idea.

 

They got back on the road and Charlotte enjoyed looking around the small town that was actually very similar to Richardson, where she and Jon lived. But as they were driving along, she noticed a sign for the hospital…but then Jordan kept driving…

 

“Hey, I think you missed your turn.”

 

“No I didn’t,” Jordan said pleasantly. Things had been pretty good between the two of them on the trip so far. But Jordan had a feeling their friendly relationship was about to come to a screening halt.

 

“But that was the sign for the hospital.”

 

“I know. We’re not going there.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

In lieu of answering, Jordan pulled into the driveway of a house on the outside of town. “Here’s where we will find Jon.”

 

“You mean to tell me that my boyfriend, who has apparently been in a really bad car accident, is getting treatment at a regular house.”

 

“Yes.”

Chapter 47: At the Miller's House

Summary:

Jordan brings Charlotte inside the Miller's house, and she is quite skeptical of the whole thing, especially when there are some unexpected surprises.

Notes:

Gotta be honest...I had some fun with this one :)

Chapter Text

“Are you serious right now, Jordan,” asked Charlotte. The look on her face was one of utter disbelief as Jordan continued to explain why they were at the average looking suburban house.

 

“Yes. I’m serious.”

 

“But how…what–”

 

“If you give me a chance, I can explain.”

 

“This better be one hell of an explanation,” Charlotte murmured.

 

On the drive up, she realized something: she liked Jordan, she genuinely, actually liked Jon's brother. He seemed kind, and generous, with a sense of humor that you had to drag out of him, but was definitely there. Plus, he never once asked for her to take over driving and had paid for her meal at the diner. 

 

Jordan was obviously very different from Jon and if there hadn’t been a physical similarity, Char probably never even would have guessed they were brothers. But given the way that Jordan was so open about his concern for Jon. It was obvious they were.

 

That had been her opinion. Now Charlotte wasn’t sure what to think. Jon was being treated at a normal house…which was pretty strange and Jordan didn’t seem at all bothered by it.

 

Char began to get a funny feeling in her stomach that things weren’t quite right.

 

Jordan took a deep breath. He could see the wheels turning in Charlotte’s brain and really hoped he didn’t screw this up. “If Jon or I need a doctor, this is where we go.”

 

“You don’t…go to a doctor's office?”

 

“No, we haven’t for a while. I know it sounds weird, but we had kind of…a bad experience a while back and it really freaked us out, especially Jon.”

 

Charlotte glanced down. She remembered Jon mentioning that fact several weeks ago and assumed that’s where his fear of doctors came from. It was understandable and she knew how sensitive Jon was about it, but that didn’t mean he should stop getting treatment from real doctors.

 

“Anyway, the guy that lives here, Dr. Miller, he and his wife have been taking care of us for years. We’re a lot more comfortable in his care and with the homey atmosphere he can provide.”

 

Charlotte glanced up at the house apprehensively. “He wasn’t like…banned from practicing medicine or something was he?”

 

Jordan chuckled. “No, of course not. He works as a family doctor downtown. We passed the building on the drive over.”

 

“Then how…”

 

“He still has a normal job at the clinic, but we have an arrangement that when we need his help or a checkup or something we just stop by his house and he takes care of us.”

 

“But–”

 

“Look, I know it’s a little strange, and I can answer more questions later, but I’d really like to get inside and see Jon. Just trust me, this is a really great place.”

 

Charlotte nodded, and followed Jordan out of the car, but she no longer trusted him, not for a second. Who were these people that thought it was okay to just come to a doctor’s house for treatment? If they liked the guy, they would have been better off just making an appointment with him at the clinic.

 

 No part of this was reasonable. 

 

Even though the situation was very strange, Charlotte knew she was better off watching, observing, and getting all the facts before she took any actions. And based on the limited information she had gotten so far, Char realized there was still a lot about this situation she didn’t understand.

 

Jordan pushed open the door, completely at home there; Charlotte was a lot more cautious. The whole thing seemed certainly strange and this was definitely a family with secrets.

 

As suspicious as she was about this whole thing, she couldn’t deny that the inside of the house looked nice, friendly, and well kept, which was good.

 

But appearances could be deceiving.

 

And considering she hadn’t seen Jon yet, his parents, or his supposed doctor, Char wasn’t letting her guard down.

 

Speaking of his parents, Charlotte thought to herself, what kind of parents  didn’t take their kids to a real hospital when they were sick? Were they some crazy, controlling, overprotective parents? Or extremists of some kind? Maybe–

 

“Oh, sweetie, thank goodness you’re here.”

 

“Hey, Mom.”

 

Or… Lois Lane?!

 

What the hell? Jordan and Jon’s mom was freaking Lois Lane? Pulitzer prize winner, world’s best investigative reporter, author, an inspiration for women everywhere and just an all around badass. That Lois Lane? She was their mom?

 

Charlotte recognized the woman the moment she walked in the room. Her interviews and articles were legendary; Char had grown up watching and practically idolizing this woman.

 

As concerned as she was about Jon, Char couldn’t deny the fact that Lois Lane being Jordan and Jon’s mom added a new twist to the already complicated situation that Charlotte was trying so desperately to wrap her mind around.

 

Lois immediately walked up to Jordan and pulled him in for a big hug, even though he towered over her.

 

Huh. That was one thing Charlotte never would have expected from Lois Lane–being motherly and affectionate. Actually, Char hadn’t even known that Lois Lane had kids.

 

She pulled from the hug and gazed up at Jordan with loving eyes. Then she placed a hand on one of his cheeks before gently running her fingers through his dark curls, a gesture that seemed familiar, as if she had done it a million times.

 

“How was the drive up?”

 

“It was fine,” Jordan said, completely comfortable with his mom’s affection. “I’ve just been worried about Jon.”

 

“Yeah…honey, we need to talk about Jon.”

 

“What’s going on with Jon,” Charlotte blurted without thinking. Instantly, as if just noticing that Charlotte was there, Lois slid her eyes over to the other girl, scanning her up and down. Charlotte got the feeling that the judgment being passed on her was the most important of her life.

 

Lois took a few steps away from Jordan and towards Charlotte, her eyes never leaving the young girl. As Lois walked, her heels cracked against the hardwood floors, echoing through the otherwise silent room.

 

Char began to feel self conscious about her appearance. Her hair was thrown into a messy bun and she was still wearing her clothes from the day before that were now rumpled.

 

And yet, Lois, even though it was barely 7:30 in the morning on a Saturday, looked like a freaking goddess. The clothes were perfectly suited for Lois Lane–a purple shirt with dark gray skinny jeans, paired with a leather jacket and those flawless heels. Her brown hair was laying in gorgeous waves, perfectly framing her face. And though the makeup wasn’t much, it was enough to say this woman didn’t want to be messed with.

 

Her appearance was classy and sophisticated, but Charlotte got the feeling that Lois could hold her own if things got ugly.

 

Charlotte felt herself beginning to panic. How was she supposed to impress the mighty Lois Lane?

 

“So you must be Charlotte…the girlfriend.”

 

“Ye-yes, ma’am.” Char tried to exude confidence.

 

“Jordan said you talked him into giving you a ride up here.”

 

“Y-yes ma’am. That’s right.”

 

“And did he tell you we only wanted family around for the first couple of days,” threatened Lois.

 

“N-no, ma’am.” Confidence…dropping.

 

“That’s what was supposed to happen. Now you’re here.”

 

Charlotte deflated as her confidence sank into an endless abyss.

 

“So what makes you think that you, a girl Jon has known for barely two months, has any right to be here?”

 

“Well, umm–”

 

“Oh hey guys! Glad you made it,” interrupted a dark haired man with glasses. “You must be Charlotte,” he said, briskly walking over to Char for a handshake. “We’ve all been really looking forward to meeting you. But I’m sure you're tired after the long trip. Can I make you a cup of tea?”

 

“Ummm…” What the hell was this?

 

“Clark! You totally interrupted my interrogation.” Lois crossed her arms and glared at the man.

 

“Interrogation? With who? You mean her?” Clark gestured to Charlotte, his eyebrows raised in surprise.

 

“Obviously.”

 

“Babe, remember we talked about this,” he said with a tired sigh. “We were going to be welcoming to Jon’s girlfriend, get to know her in a natural, friendly way, and NOT give her the third degree.”

 

“I don’t remember that.” Wait, was Lois Lane…pouting?

 

“Well, we did talk about it, and you agreed to the plan.” He walked over to Lois and slid his arm around Lois’ waist. “So we’re going to try this again. I’m Clark Kent and this is my wife, Lois. We’re Jon’s parents. It’s nice to meet you.”

 

“Nice…to meet you too.”

 

“Now, can I make you a cup of tea?”

 

“No,” Lois exclaimed before Charlotte could reply. She stiffened. Oh no, here we go again…she thought. “You are not making the tea. I will make it. You burn it every time.”

 

“What? I do not.”

 

“You totally burn the tea every time, Dad,” Jordan added with a knowing smirk.

 

“Busted,” Lois said, slipping out of Clark's grasp. “The man can make a delicious apple pie from scratch but when it comes to making a decent cup of tea, he’s totally useless.”

 

“Or coffee for that matter,” muttered Jordan.

 

“Now wait a minute…”

 

“Can’t argue with the facts, babe.” Lois draped her arm around Charlotte’s shoulders and guided her into the kitchen, leaving Jordan and Clark behind, arguing.

 

Charlotte’s mind was spinning. First, she had been totally blindsided by the fact that Jon’s mom was Lois Lane, then the famous reporter had begun interrogating her, like she was some hardened criminal. Enter Jon’s dad, who was apparently a super dorky and kind guy that seemed to have no problem handling Lois. And now the world famous reporter was making Charlotte tea?

 

 How did this even happen?

 

When Charlotte was seated at the kitchen table, Jordan and Clark strolled in, with Jordan taking a seat next to Charlotte and Clark moving in close to his wife. This scene of domestic bliss was about as far away as Charlotte would have expected when she first met Lois Lane. When Jordan saw her look of discomfort, he gave her a kind smile, as if letting her know that things would be okay and he was there for her.

 

Considering Charlotte’s mind was still spinning, she was grateful for the gesture.

 

After the tea was done, Clark helped Lois bring the cups of tea to the table along with some sugar, honey, and spoons to stir in the sweeteners.

 

Then Lois and Clark joined the young adults at the table. Immediately, Lois turned to Charlotte. “Before this goes any further, Charlotte, I would like to apologize to you for attacking you with questions earlier. I get a little protective when it comes to my boys, especially around people I don’t know. But that’s no excuse and you didn’t deserve that. So I’m sorry.”

 

“A little protective,” Jordan asked in disbelief.

 

“It’s okay,” Charlotte answered Lois, as she glared at her son. The woman was still absolutely terrifying, but Charlotte was kind of in awe of her as well.

 

“Jordan, you asked me earlier how Jon was doing. So we wanted to sit down and answer that question.” Lois reached across the table and gently took Clark’s hand. 

 

When Charlotte had first realized that Lois and Clark were Jon’s parents, she was a bit confused by the match. Clark seemed so positive and friendly while Lois was obviously a force to be reckoned with. Separately, the pair didn’t seem to fit, but together…well, even after knowing them a short while, Charlotte couldn’t deny there was something special there.

 

It was in the little things mostly, like the way Clark would absently run his fingers across Lois’ shoulders or through her hair. Then there was the way that Lois looked at Clark like he was the only other person in the world. Charlotte got the feeling that despite her tough, cavalier attitude, she would do anything for Clark.

 

“Jon is still stable, but he has a long road ahead,” said Lois. “His night was okay, and the IV helped a lot, which is the good news.”

 

“What’s the bad news,” asked Jordan, catching onto what his mom wasn’t saying.

 

“The bad news is that when he was hit by the car, it caused a lot of damage to his left side, damage that can only be fixed with some sort of surgery.”

 

“But how–”

 

“We don’t know, Jordan. That still has to be discussed. Dave thinks we still have a few days to talk about options and that we’ll know a lot more by the end of the day. Unfortunately that’s all we can tell you now.”

 

Charlotte’s tea sat forgotten in front of her. After the rollercoaster of meeting Jon’s family, there was only one thing she wanted. “Ms. Lane…uhh…I mean ma’am…please, can I see Jon now?”

Chapter 48: Finally

Summary:

Charlotte finally sees Jon and even though he is in bad shape, she is determined not to leave him.

Chapter Text

Lois glanced at Charlotte, the worry obvious on the young girl’s face. Admittedly, she had been a little hard on Charlotte when she first arrived. And while she still didn’t know the girl that well yet, Lois could tell that she really cared about Jonathan. And as his mother that was really the only thing that Lois cared about.

 

“Of course Charlotte, we will take you to him.” Lois and Clark put the glasses they had been drinking tea from in the sink and guided Charlotte to the back area where the medical equipment was always set up. 

 

Jordan followed behind and as they reached the door, Lois paused for a moment. “Charlotte just so you know he looks pretty rough–”

 

“I don’t care. I wanna see him.”

 

Lois recognized the determination and passion in the young girl’s face “All right, come on in.  Hey Dave,” Lois said, as she pushed open the door. “I have somebody here that wants to say hi to Jon.” 

 

A middle aged man with dark hair that was graying at the temples and a tall stature turned towards them. When she saw him, Charlotte tensed up. This was obviously the doctor that was taking care of Jon…but Jon was scared of doctors and probably had no say so about anything this guy was doing.

 

Charlotte reminded herself to breathe. There was a room full of people who also cared about Jon and wouldn’t let anything bad happen to him. She spared a moment to look around the room. Surprisingly, it looked a lot like a hospital with medical equipment, hospital beds, and some cabinets off to the side. The whole place looked clean and well organized, thankfully, which did a little to calm Charlotte’s nerves.

 

She just hoped this Miller guy knew what he was doing and was taking good care of Jon… otherwise there would be hell to pay. 

 

“This must be Charlotte,” he said, taking a few steps towards the group. “We’ve heard lot’s of wonderful things about you so it’s nice to finally meet you.”

 

“Yeah, you too,” she said softly, not quite sure what to make of this man or the strange situation that they were in.

 

“I’m Dr. Dave Miller, by the way.”

 

“You’re the one taking care of Jon?”

 

“Yep, I have been for several years now.”

 

“Okay, great,” she answered in a slightly patronizing tone, “then maybe you can tell me why exactly Jon isn’t in a hospital right now?” Charlotte crossed her arms, and fixed her bright blue eyes directly on the doctor’s face, making it clear she was demanding answers.

 

His kind smile faltered. “Um…didn’t the Kent's explain to you what’s going on here?”

 

“Not really, all Jordan said was that when he and Jon are sick they come here instead of going to a real doctor.” 

 

“Actually I am a real doctor.”

 

“Then why aren’t you treating him in a hospital?”

 

Dr. Miller exchanged a look with Lois and Clark. He wasn’t sure exactly what Charlotte knew and how he was supposed to answer the question.

 

“I’m afraid that’s a conversation for another day,” a woman said from behind her spot at the cabinets. “Hi I’m Elizabeth Miller, Dave’s wife. Nice to meet you.”

 

“Nice to meet you too,” Charlotte said, realizing the entrance of the new woman was effectively cutting off any answer Char would get to her question.

 

“I know this whole thing probably seems a little bit strange and scary. But I promise you we all care about Jon very much.  And we want him to be okay.”

 

Charlotte still looked a bit apprehensive, so Beth did what she was best at, offering comfort and giving people what they needed. “I’m sure you would like to see Jon…if you’re up for it, that is,” suggested Beth.

 

 Charlotte nodded and took a few steps forward. Dave had been blocking the bed and Char couldn't really see a good view of Jon. But as the doctor stepped aside, Charlotte got her first full glimpse of the boy she loved more than anything in the world.

 

Lois hadn’t been kidding when she said that Jon was bruised and battered. His face was a mix of bruises and gauze covered cuts. Stark white bandages were wrapped around his ribs. And there were gauze patches covering more of his body than not.

 

 Unfortunately, that was good news.

 

The left side of his body was completely covered in plaster and bandages, presumably since that was the side that the other vehicle had hit Jon. There were other small abrasions as well on various parts of this body, but it was clear that his injured left side was the real problem. 

 

In addition, he was using a nasal cannula to help him breathe, a heart monitor, an IV and a few more tubes connected to machines that Charlotte had no name for.

 

At that moment he looked repulsive, damaged, and beaten down. And while some people probably would have ran the other way after seeing their boyfriend like that, Charlotte was the opposite–she rushed towards him.

 

She took the seat by his bed and gently clasped his right hand, which was relatively unharmed except for a few tubes connected to it.

 

As physically unattractive as Jon’s face was at that moment, Charlotte couldn’t tear her eyes from him. Because no matter what he looked like, if she was holding his hand, that meant they were together.

 

And that’s all that mattered.

 

Charlotte softly rubbed his hand, wishing desperately for some sort of reaction from Jon, but of course she didn’t get one. “Hi baby it’s Charlotte. I’m here. I’m sorry I wasn’t here sooner, but I’m here now and I’m not leaving.” She had been trying to be strong, especially since Jon’s family was there…but looking at Jon now…she was so damn scared. “You hear me, baby? I’m gonna take good care of you.”

 

Charlotte was still so focused on Jon that she didn’t notice the conversation going on with the Kents and the Miller’s on the other side of the room. “What did the tests reveal?” Lois whispered, not wanting to worry Charlotte.

 

“The IV’s and antibiotics are definitely helping. There’s even a chance he might wake up today, but when that happens we have to make some tough decisions.  His left side won’t heal right by itself and we can’t take him to a normal hospital,” Dave said, his eyes gravely meeting each of the Kent’s.

 

“So then what are we gonna do,” Jordan asked softly. He also hadn’t been able to tear his eyes from his brother’s battered face.  

 

Clark looked at Jordan. “John Henry and I have been experimenting at…. the Fortress.

 

Jordan raised his eyebrows in surprise at Clark’s admission. “You think Lara can help?” 

 

Clark shrugged and gave his son a sad glance. “I’m not sure, but I think it’s our best chance. The problem is we don’t want to make that kind of decision for Jon, and he’s still unconscious.” Clark took Lois’ hand.” The other problem is that the longer we wait, the worse it will be for him.”

 

The Kent's stepped out into the hallway with the Miller's to discuss more about how they were going to handle the difficult situation with Jon.

 

Jordan decided to stay in the room and walked over to the still form of his brother. He grabbed another chair and sat next to Charlotte. "How are you holding up," Jordan asked, addressing Charlotte, even though he still hadn't been able to look away from his brother. 

 

"I'm okay I think," she answered, gently rubbing her thumb back and forth across Jon's hand. "You weren't kidding when you said it was really bad, huh?"

 

"No, I wish I was, but my parents kept me in the loop and I knew it was gonna be pretty ugly when we arrived."

 

Charlotte turned to Jordan. "Please tell me he's gonna be okay. I mean, I know he doesn't look good now but tell me he can come back from this, because if he doesn't I can't…I don't know what I would do."

 

Jordan gently place a comforting hand on Charlotte's shoulder. "Honestly. I don't know what's gonna happen. But I promise you every person here is going to do everything they can to make sure that Jon's okay and then he comes back to us." Then he whispered. "I don't know what I would do without my brother either.

 

Even though she was still holding Jon's hand, Charlotte laid her head on Jordan's shoulder. She didn't know what was going on around here, but Jordan had become an immeasurable ally in the past several hours.  And somehow Charlotte knew if she was gonna make it through this, she was going to need him as well.

 

~~~~~

 

As the day wore on a few things changed. Eventually Lois convinced Charlotte to change into some new clothes and take a shower, claiming that she would feel better, which she did.

 

About halfway through the morning Natalie had shown up with another girl who Charlotte hadn't known. She later found out the girl's name was Melissa and that she was Jordan's girlfriend. The moment the girl walked in, Jordan only had eyes for her. 

 

Charlotte found Melissa to be very quiet, a little awkward, but very, very nice. Her and Jordan seemed like two halves of a whole and were nearly inseparable after she arrived. Plus, Char thought it was absolutely adorable to see Jordan in the role of the doting boyfriend. 

 

Natalie also had a hard time seeing Jon in his present state and actually gave Charlotte a hug, knowing how difficult it was for the other girl to see Jon so frail and injured.

 

Beth did a good job tending to Jon over throughout the morning. There weren't really any noticeable changes, but as she cooled off his face and changed his bandages, it was clear she knew what she was doing. 

 

Charlotte wanted to make another comment about why he wasn't in an actual hospital.  But it never seemed to do any good and admittedly, they were taking good care of Jon. 

 

She did feel a little guilty when she called Jon's boss and her brother to update them on Jon's condition. Under Jordan's watchful eye. She explained that Jon was being well taken care of, that he was resting, and that they would no more soon. 

 

It was clear that whatever was going on there was some big secret that other people couldn't know.

 

Charlotte wasn't sure how she felt about that.

 

~~~~~

 

It was about one PM when things changed.

 

Beth had made some sandwiches for everyone to enjoy, which as good as they were couldn't erase the tension of the situation. It wasn't a big change, but it was noticeable.

 

Jon squeezed Charlotte's hand. At first she thought she had been imagining the movement because she had wanted it so badly to happen. But a few minutes later, when it happened again, and Jordan and Melissa and Natalie all saw the movement, they realized that something significant was happening. 

 

"Dave," Jordan called, "get in here!"

 

"What's going on," he asked, rushing into the room.

 

"Jon moved," his brother explained, practically breathless from excitement.

 

"Are you sure?"

 

"Positive," Charlotte insisted, her heart rate getting faster from all the excitement. "He moved at least twice."

 

Dave walked over to a couple of the machines to check the readings, then moved back to Jon. He stood close to the boy's head and spoke very clearly. "Jon, it's Dave Miller."

 

And then, miraculously, Jon shifted his head toward Dave.

 

There was an audible gasp from everyone in the room and they all turned to Dave, wondering what that might mean.

 

"He's waking up," Dave said quietly, lost for words. Jon was like a son to him and it was hell seeing him in such bad shape.

 

"Mom, Dad, Beth, get in here, Jon's waking up," Jordan said. The weird thing was that Jordan didn't say the words loudly, yet a few seconds later, they all came rushing in.

 

Charlotte made a mental note to ask Jordan about it later, but at the moment, she was too excited about Jon waking up to give the strange situation any further thought.

 

Dave talked to Jon for a few more minutes, eliciting movements almost every time.

 

"Okay," Dave said, after Jon had moved his head again, "Although he is responding to me, I think someone he is closer to needs to try talking to him."

 

Everyone in the room looked at Charlotte and Jordan, knowing the answer was there. Char wanted more than anything to be the one to wake up Jon, but at this point, she owed him everything–for bringing her there, sticking by her, and for being a friend in the most difficult time.

 

"You do it," she told Jordan.

 

He looked like he wanted to protest, but after some gentle encouraging from Charlotte, Jordan was willing to give it a try.

 

Char even moved back so Jordan could take his brother's hand–which he did.

 

"Hey, Jon, it's Jordan," he began softly. "I know you're really hurting right now, man, but you gotta wake up, okay? You have a whole room full of people who need you and love you…I need you…and I love you."

 

A single tear slipped down Jordan's cheek, but he continued, stronger than before.

 

"You've done so many things for me over the years and I can never thank you enough for all the ways you've helped me. But I just need you to do this one more thing for me."

 

He gripped his brother's hand a little tighter.

 

"Please Jon, wake up, for me."

 

It took a few seconds, but considering he was never one to deny his brother when he asked for something, slowly, but surely Jonathan finally opened his eyes.

Chapter 49: Open Eyes and New Truths

Summary:

When Jon finally opens his eyes, how will he react to Charlotte's presence?

Chapter Text

"Jon? Can you hear me," Jordan asked. He was still clenching his brother's hand, desperate to learn if he was actually okay.

 

"Jor…dan?"

 

"Yes, it's me, Jon." He few tears slipped down Jordan's cheeks and he was helpless to stop them. "Are you okay? How are you feeling?"

 

"Sore…what happ…nd?" His words were a little sluggish and he seemed to have a little trouble focusing…but the moral of the story…Jonathan was back!

 

"Do you remember anything?"

 

"Mmm…pain?"

 

Everyone else had given Jordan some space because they didn't want to crowd him. However, Jordan wasn't sure exactly how to answer Jon's questions, so he looked to Dave for guidance.

 

"Hello, son," Dave said, taking a few steps closer. "Do you know who I am?"

 

"Um…Dave?"

 

"That's right."

 

"Something…happ…nd…didn't it?"

 

Jon seemed to be having some memory issues, but it wasn't surprising considering the traumatic accident he had endured.

 

Dave sat on the edge of the bed, near Jordan. "You were in a car accident, son. So I'm gonna help you get better and take care of you."

 

"When can I…go home?"

 

"Why don't we worry about that later, " Dave said with a pleasant smile, totally avoiding Jon's question. "Tell me, how are you feeling right now."

 

"Hurts."

 

"What hurts?"

 

"Everything."

 

Dave chuckled. "I'm sure it does. Maybe seeing some friendly faces might help."

 

"Hi sweetie," Lois said, moving into view with Clark at her side.

 

"Mom…Dad."

 

"Hi bud," Clark said, grasping Lois' hand as tight as he was able. It was clear Jon didn't quite understand how bad things were for him, and they didn't want to worry their already fragile son. 

 

Natalie, Melissa and Beth also came into view, each greeting Jon, doing their best to be strong for him.

 

Finally, it was time for one last surprise for Jon. It was Beth who gave him the news. "Well, Jon, we have one more visitor for you if you're up for it." Then she moved aside so Charlotte could come into view.

 

Immediately, Jon's eyes widened, as he took in his girlfriend's presence.

 

"Char…what are you doing here," he whispered.

 

"Jordan brought me," she answered just as softly.

 

Jon glanced back at his brother, the emotion obvious in his eyes, even though he didn't have the words.

 

"It's true, Jon. After the accident, I felt that Charlotte should know what was going on, so I told her and she wanted to be with you. Then we drove down, and she's been waiting here with us. Actually, Charlotte, why don't you come say hi?"

 

Moving slowly, Char took Jordan's spot and he placed Jon's hand in Charlotte's. It was hard for him to give his brother space when he had just woken up, but Jordan understood that Charlotte deserved some time with Jon too–she had been just as worried.

 

Jon looked down at their joined hands, relished in the feeling of their hands together and really looked at his girlfriend.

 

She was gorgeous, of course, with her long blonde hair pulled back into a braid with a few wispy pieces framing her face. She was wearing these tiny hoop earrings that were simple and pretty. Her outfit was dark skinny jeans, with a simple, pretty blouse for a top. 

 

How could she be dressed so simply and completely take Jon's breath away?

 

"Char…you're…here?"

 

"Yes, baby, I'm here. There's nowhere else I'd rather be," she answered, softly rubbing Jon's hand, much like she had done before. Only this time, Charlotte could actually look into her boyfriend's captivating blue eyes.

 

There were so many things that Jon wanted to say in that moment: to thank her for being there, to tell her she looked pretty and to ask if she was okay. But with a single tear streaming down his face, the only words that came out were: love…you."

 

Jon's family was right there, Dave and Beth Miller were right there…but she didn't care. After being through hell in the past few hours, there was only one thing Charlotte wanted to do and she damn well wasn't going to apologize for it: she kissed Jon.

 

When their lips met, it was like everything was right with the world.

For one moment she didn't worry about missing work, getting to know Jon's family, what was really going on with the Miller's or even how Jon was going to recover from the damn car accident.

 

At that moment, everything was perfect.

 

When she pulled away a few seconds later, she didn't want to make everyone else too uncomfortable after all, Charlotte could only feel relief.

 

"Love…you," Jon said again.

 

Charlotte chuckled. "I love you too, baby."

 

Unfortunately, the blissful moment was not meant to last.

 

Jon wanted to reach over to Charlotte, but he quickly realized that was impossible, based on the way his arm was held stationary.

 

"What the…why…why can't I move," the look of panic had quickly taken over face and Charlotte could feel the tension in his hands. "Am I trapped here?"

 

"No, of course not, Jon," Charlotte said, hoping to erase his concerns. "It's just to keep you from hurting your arm any worse."

 

But Jon didn't seem to hear her.

 

"They're keeping me hostage! Char, you can't let them take me away. I don't want to be experimented on. Please Char, don't let them hurt me."

 

Charlotte had never seen so much pure panic in Jon's face before…completely unjustified panic in Charlotte's opinion. The Miller's and Kent's had been very kind and welcoming–well, Char was still a little scared of Lois, but figured Jon was probably used to her.

 

"Babe, no one's experimenting on you–

 

"Don't let them take me away," Jon exclaimed, pulling against the casts and restraints, tears streaming down his face.

 

"Jon stop, you're going to hurt yourself!"

 

"I got it, Charlotte, step back please," Dave said. She did as he asked, mostly because she knew she couldn't handle Jon when he was like this.

 

Dave smoothly took over, proving once again that he was a consummate professional. "Jonathan, listen to me, no one is going to hurt you." He placed a hand on the boy's shoulder and squeezed gently.

He was so focused on calming Jonathan down that he didn't notice Charlotte's look of surprise.

"But…but I'm paralyzed," Jon said, completely focused on Dave.

 

"No you aren't. I numbed your left side so you wouldn't move it and injure it worse. Would I lie to you?"

 

"No, sir," Jon said, relaxing a little. The outburst had taken a lot out of him so he was slightly out of breath. "What happens now?"

 

"Well, since you're awake, I wanted to give you a more thorough examination, especially on that left side. It may be a little uncomfortable, to be honest, but I just need to get a better understanding of the injuries."

 

"Now," Jon asked, a heartbroken look crossing his face.

 

"Yes son, sooner is better." He could sympathize with Jon's worries and how scared the boy was. Dave felt no joy in anything he had to do to the young boy, Jon was like a son to him. But he also knew at the moment, he was the only one who could help Jon.

 

The young Kent sighed. "Fine, but I don't anybody in here watching this."

 

Dave knew it would be tough for everyone to leave, but he also knew it was important to help Jon to be as comfortable as possible during the difficult examination. 

 

"Guys, please," Dave said, turning to the crowd of Jon's family.

 

Most everyone listened right away, since they were worried about Jon and wanted to do whatever they could to help. Then it was just Jordan and Charlotte left.

 

"Please, I'll keep out of the way. Can I stay?"

 

"I want you to go," Jon said, turning away from Charlotte, his tone harsh and terse, the complete opposite of how he had been before.

 

"But babe–"

 

"Just go. I don't want you here for this."

 

Charlotte's heart was breaking. All she wanted was to take care of Jon and to be there for him. After sitting next to him on and off for several hours, she wasn't bothered by the medical equipment anymore, she just wanted to be with him.

 

Yet he was sending her away like she didn't matter.

 

"You coming Jordan?"

 

"No, Jon wants me to stay."

 

"What? How do you know that, he didn't say anything about–"

 

"I want him to stay," Jon said.

 

Without another word, Charlotte ran from the room. She found herself on the couch in the living room.

 

The others had seen how upset she was, and it was pretty easy to figure out why. There was a bit of a debate over who should try to comfort Charlotte, in the end, the voted on Melissa since she could most closely understand what Charlotte was going through.

 

"Mind if I join you," she asked, stepping into the room.

 

"Sure. I guess I should be happy that someone wants to be around me." She didn't mean to be petulant, but the fact that Jon didn't want to be around her during such an important time was really hurtful.

 

"Oh don't worry, Jon still wants to be around you, I think the medical stuff just got to him and he didn't want you to see him so vulnerable," Melissa reasoned, joining Charlotte on the couch.

 

"But I love him, I don't care about that."

 

"Yeah, but he's the guy, he probably thinks he's protecting you by keeping you away."

 

"But that's bullshit," Charlotte exclaimed, before she could stop herself.

 

"I know," Melissa agreed seriously, "but welcome to dating a Kent."

 

After a moment of silence, the two girls fell into a fit of laughter that was incredibly necessary given the serious situation.

 

"You mean Jordan can be the same way?"

 

"Definitely. I have countless examples."

 

"Okay, I gotta be honest, that does make me feel better," Charlotte said, giving her new friend a smile. "Hey, question…is his full name really Jonathan?"

 

"Yeah, didn't you know that?"

 

"No," Charlotte admitted. "I'm beginning to feel like I don't know anything about Jon."

 

"Don't think that way," Melissa reassured her new friend, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "I can tell you exactly why Jon didn't tell you his full name and it has nothing to do with you."

 

"Really? Why?"

 

"Because he associates 'Jonathan' with the kid he was growing up that he had been trying to get away from. Jon left home to try to be his own person. But if people call him his full name then he's worried he will still feel like that same kid who's been trying to figure out what to do with his life."

 

"Wow, I never would have thought of that. You seem to know him pretty well," Charlotte said, trying her best not to be jealous.

 

"That's only because he's been a brother to me for years now and he's comfortable around me. I promise you, Jon is a very private person and is a champion of keeping his feelings to himself. The fact that you two are so close is just a testament to how much he really loves and trusts you."

 

Charlotte wanted to believe that...

 

"Yeah, but he told me to go away and Jordan to stay."

 

"Well, I could have told you that was going to happen."

 

"But why wouldn't he want me there? Why did he pick Jordan?"

 

"Because he was feeling vulnerable, scared, and probably a little confused. In situations like that, he's always going to pick Jordan. They are better than they used to be about being clingy, but when situations get tough, they're always going to turn to each other."

 

"Wait, really," Charlotte asked, completely surprised by the new information. Jon always seemed so independent and put together.

 

"Yeah, for sure. A few months back, it was Jordan who was really hurt and Jon was always faithfully by his side. He even donated blood to him."

 

Charlotte listened to the story with wide eyes. "But Jon hates stuff like that."

 

"I know, but when he found out it would help Jordan he put his fears aside and donated the blood without question."

 

"He never told me that," Charlotte said softly.

 

"That's not surprising, like I said, he likes to keep stuff like that private. Although they did fall asleep next to each other one of the nights Jordan was sick." Melissa's eyes lit up as she recounted the now favorite family story. "An d when we found them they were holding hands, so we pushed the two beds together. Then Jon laid his head on Jordan's shoulder and Jordan laid his on top of Jon's and it was just the cutest thing ever."

 

"That doesn't…bother you?"

 

"No way, it's just part of who they are, and to be honest, I think stuff like that is adorable."

 

Charlotte's jaw dropped. "But…they're grown men. It doesn't weird you out that they are so close?"

 

"Definitely not. I knew what I was signing up for when I started dating a twin."

 

"Wait, Jon and Jordan are twins?"

Chapter 50: Honesty

Summary:

As Charlotte learns a little more about Jon, her boyfriend may have to begin to accept some truths of his own.

Notes:

It's a long one again. Sorry not sorry.

:)

Chapter Text

“Jon, you shouldn’t have sent her away,” Jordan gently lectured. Having spent so much time with Charlotte in the past several hours, Jordan could just about imagine how poorly the kind hearted girl was taking the news.

 

“I didn’t… want her to see me like this. You already know I’m a freak…so it doesn’t matter.” 

 

“Jonathan, how can you say that? You’re not a freak.”

 

“Alright, Jon, what do you say, let’s get this over with, huh,” Dave said, walking back towards the boys. He was carrying Jon’s chart, and pushing a small cart with some medical tools and equipment on it.

 

Jon had been acting cool and aloof around his brother (because he didn’t have to work to impress him) but when Dave pushed the cart over, Jon stared at it apprehensively. “Yeah…I guess so.”

 

“That’s good to hear. Let’s get started.”

 

~~~~~

 

“Tw-twins,” Charlotte asked, completely in disbelief.

 

“Well yeah, of course they are. Wait, Jon didn’t tell you,” Melissa asked, realizing her mistake a moment too late.

 

“No,” Char whispered. “I had no idea.”

 

“Oh. Well I’m sure Jon was going to tell you soon,” Melissa said, desperately wishing there was something she could do to take back the words she obviously wasn’t supposed to say.

 

“He’s really a twin,” Charlotte asked, an almost desperate tone to her voice now. How could Jon not have told her something so important about himself? They talked all the time, about all kinds of things. He claimed he loved her for crying out loud and yet he couldn’t be bothered to tell her that he had a freaking twin?!

 

“I know what you’re thinking,” Melissa said, placing a comforting hand on Charlotte’s shoulder. “That Jon should have told you sooner, and you would be right, he should have. But I’m sure the reason he didn’t is the same one I told you before, that he was trying to distance himself, be his own person.”

 

“And yet when things got bad he still turned to his brother, the one he was supposedly trying to distance himself from,” Charlotte questioned, brushing away an errant tear. There was so much about this situation that just didn’t make sense.

 

“That’s just always–”

 

“How they’re going to be,” Charlotte said, bluntly finishing Melissa’s sentence. “I know, you said that.”

 

“I’m really screwing this up,” Melissa said, absently running her fingers through her hair. “I wish I was better with words and that I could explain it better.”

 

Charlotte softened. “No really, you’re doing fine, I promise. I’m just trying to process. It’s a lot and I just really don’t know this side of Jon.”

 

“Well, if you give me a chance, maybe I can try to explain it to you?”

 

~~~~~

 

“Your heartbeat’s okay,” Dave said, pulling back the stethoscope. “I’m not quite as satisfied with what I’m hearing in your lungs, so I might try a breathing treatment later. Now let’s take a look at that blood pressure.”

 

Jon nodded, trying to force himself to relax. Dave was only trying to help. He wasn’t experimenting on Jonathan. Everything would be fine.

 

Now if only Jon could get himself to believe it…

 

As Dave recorded all of Jon’s other vitals, Jordan stayed dutifully by his brother’s side, with his hand resting comfortably on Jon’s arm. He was desperate for physical contact with his brother, knowing it would put both of them at ease.

 

Jon was a little more tense when Dave drew a blood sample and undid some of the bandages on his left side, but as always, the doctor was a consummate professional, understanding just how uncomfortable the situation made Jon. Dave was brilliant at doing anything he could to reassure his nervous patient and never diminished Jon’s concerns, but helped him through it.

 

Thanks to the numbing medication that Dave had given him, Jon couldn’t feel it when Dave was inspecting his severely injured left side. Jon could see the doctor moving his arm and leg, but he couldn’t feel anything, which was strange.

 

Over the course of the examination, Jon had remembered just how bad the accident was. Truthfully, he was probably lucky to be alive. And now the question was, how did he move forward?

 

~~~~~

 

“Jordan and Jon have always been very different,” began Melissa. “Jon was more active and social while Jordan was the quieter, more introverted one. If you didn’t know them well, you would just think that they were total opposites that just annoyed each other a lot of the time.”

 

Melissa paused for a second, thinking of the boys and their relationship. She smiled fondly.

 

“But despite all of their differences, when it really matters, Jordan and Jon can be more unified than any two people I’ve ever seen in my life. They would do absolutely anything for the other and they just have this indescribable connection that ties them together.”

 

“That’s actually pretty common with…with twins,” Charlotte said. “I see it all the time at work. We hate separating siblings, but sometimes we have to. But any time we’ve been forced to separate twins…it never goes well. They just can’t be without each other.”

 

“You literally just described Jordan and Jon,” Melissa said, giving her friend another smile. “Obviously they aren’t quite as joined at the hip as they used to be, since they live in different places. But when they are together, you can pretty much expect them to be inseparable.”

 

“How do you deal with that, being second place in Jordan’s life?”

 

“It’s not really like that. Most of the time Jordan is the most wonderful, devoted boyfriend.” Melissa’s cheeks got red for a moment, then she continued. “But sometimes, Jordan and Jon just need each other. It’s not that he loves Jon more than me, there’s just times that only his brother can give Jordan what he needs.”

 

“So, it’s not that Jordan always chooses Jon over you?”

 

“Oh no, definitely not,” Melissa reassured the other girl. “Most of the time I have to encourage Jordan that it’s okay with me that he spend time with his brother.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Definitely. They can both be fiercely independent and have this stupid thing where they try to insist they don’t need each other.” Melissa rolled her eyes. “But it’s not true and no one in the family believes it.”

 

Charlotte settled back against the couch and smiled. “Tell me more.”

 

~~~~~

 

“What’s the verdict, doc,” Jon asked, trying to remain calm.

 

“Overall, you’re healing well. You are still going to be sore and tired for a little while, which is to be expected after such a major accident.”

 

“But,” prompted Jon, sensing there was something the doctor wasn’t saying.

 

“But many of the bones and muscles on your left side are not going to heal correctly without surgery.”

 

Jon’s heart dropped. “Surgery?”

 

~~~~~

 

“Well, you know most of the standard twin things, Jordan and Jon do all of them.”

 

“Wait really,” Charlotte asked, unable to hold back a giggle. “Do they talk at the same time?”

 

“Oh for sure. The boys have always talked and moved in sync quite a bit. They can also communicate without talking and basically read each other’s minds sometimes.”

 

“How do they do that?”

 

“Okay, well, maybe it’s not actual mind reading, they just know each other so well that they can usually tell what the other is thinking. Like when Jordan was sick, Dave told him to list his favorite meal so Beth could make it for him. Without even the slightest hesitation, Jon listed it off perfectly, getting every detail right, like it was just instinct.”

 

“Okay, that’s pretty cute,” Charlotte admitted. The idea that Jon knew his brother so well that he could perfectly recall Jordan's favorite meal was adorable.

 

“Right? And the more you see them the cuter they are together.”

 

“I gotta be honest, that sounds kind of great...I just wish Jon had been the one that told me.”

 

“Char, you gotta believe me, Jon would have told you, he’s just really sensitive about Jordan.”

 

“Sensitive?”

 

“Yeah, because–” Melissa stopped herself and realized there was a better way to handle the situation. “Actually, no, I’m not going to tell you.”

 

“What, why? I wanna know why they are so sensitive about each other. And I have other questions and you seem to be, like, the Jordan and Jon expert.”

 

“It feels that way sometimes,” agreed Melissa with a smile, “but I think you need to go talk to the boys.”

 

“Talk to them?”

 

“Yep. I’ve already said too much and I think it would be good for you to see the two of them interact together.”

 

“But…Jon didn’t want me there.”

 

“He does want you with him,” countered Melissa. “He just wanted to protect you. And I guarantee, the first thing Jordan told him after everyone left was that you should have been allowed to stay.”

 

“How do you know?”

 

“Because I know my boys,” Melissa said confidently, giving her new friend one more smile. “And I think it's time you get to know them as well.”

 

~~~~~

 

“Yes, Jon, I’m afraid surgery is the only option here,” Dave said, taking a seat next to Jordan, so he was closer to the boys.

 

“But how do we…I mean how can I…” A defeated look crossed Jon’s face. “I can’t just go to a normal hospital.”

 

“We are aware of that, son. John Henry and Lara have been working on some technology at the Fortress that might be able to help us out.”

 

Jon paled. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

“Lara was able to find some schematics of surgical tools they used on Krypton and John Henry has been updating them so we can use them. I’ll do most of the operating, but one of the scanners John Henry is working on will be able to provide visual imagery and tell us exactly where the problems are, which should be nice and efficient.”

 

“And you’re going to do this at the Fortress,” Jordan asked, looking nervous, but not freaking out as much as his brother.

 

“Yep, the table is already set up and I know John Henry is getting the last of the equipment and–”

 

“No! No way, I’m not doing it. You’re not going to treat me like some alien science experiment!”

 

“I’m sorry Jon, but we really don’t have a choice,” Dave said, standing up and moving away from the bed. “I need to go talk to Lois and Clark about all this, and I’ll give you some time to talk with Jordan, we’re hoping to do the operations later today, Jon, the sooner the better,” Dave said, giving the boy a sad look before leaving.

 

It’s not like he wanted to do all this to Jon, but there was really no choice.

 

The moment Dave was gone, Jordan turned back to his brother. “I know you’re scared, bro, but you should talk to Charlotte. It will make you feel better.”

 

“No way, I'm keeping her out of this.”

 

“Jon, she loves you, I know she does. But you have to stop keeping her at an arm’s length away with all the important things that are going on with you.”

 

“But I want to–”

 

"Protect her, I know. Believe me, I get it. But Jon, if you’re serious about this girl, then you have to be honest with her about who you are.”

 

Jon shook his head. “She doesn’t deserve to deal with all this craziness.”

 

“She’s already dealing with it,” Jordan yelled. He hated being so forceful with his brother when he was so weak, but he needed Jon to get the reality of the situation. “Charlotte rode in a car, overnight, with a virtual stranger because she wanted to get to you. She left behind her family and friends in a split second… for you. And she’s taking who knows how much time off work without a second thought about how it will impact her career for you. Plus, she’s in a house with a bunch of people she doesn’t know, trying to make sense of an impossible situation FOR YOU.”

 

Jon looked down, ashamed by the way he had reacted. But as usual, Jordan knew exactly what to say to his brother.

 

He continued, but this time in a much softer tone. “And from the moment she walked into this room, her eyes have only been on you.” Jon looked up. “Charlotte has wanted to stay right by your side, faithfully, without hesitation…for you. She loves you Jonathan.”

 

“He’s right,” came the small voice from the doorway.

 

“Char…”

 

“I didn’t mean to interrupt, but I really do love you Jon. And I wanna be here for you through all of this. You can’t scare me away.”

 

“Yeah, you say that now,” Jon mumbled.

 

“Jonathan, please don’t shut me out.” His eyes widened, so she clarified. “Yes, I know that’s your full name, and I know that you and Jordan are twins and that you are ridiculously close.”

 

“How…”

 

“Melissa told me.”

 

Jon hung his head. “You must hate me now.”

 

“Of course not.” Charlotte took the empty seat closest to his bed and clutched his hand. “Jon, I love you.”

 

Sensing the couple needed some time to talk, Jordan slowly backed out of the room.

 

“Come on Char, I didn’t tell you some of the most basic things about myself, like my full name or that I had a twin…and that's not even the biggest stuff I haven’t told you.”

 

Charlotte stiffened at that admission, but quickly recovered. “I’m sure you have your reasons for keeping things to yourself. But baby, that’s not going to stop me from loving you.”

 

“It should,” Jon whispered, his lips quivering. “I don’t deserve you. There’s gotta be someone better for you–”

 

At even the merest suggestion that Charlotte should be dating someone else she immediately kissed him, horrified by the thought.

 

The purpose was just to cut Jon off from talking, but after a minute, the kiss turned into something more.

 

Earlier Charlotte had just given him a quick peck, nothing special. But now…with no one around…there wasn’t any reason to hold back.

 

Clearly, Jon needed to be convinced about how important he was to her; Charlotte was willing to take one for the team.

 

She gave everything she had to that kiss and was pleased when Jon returned the gesture just as heartily. Char ran her fingers through Jon’s hair, pulling him closer and closer.

 

Things probably would have went even further if Jon hadn’t jostled his left arm and winced in pain.

 

“Babe, are you okay, I’m so sorry.”

 

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Jon said. “I guess I’m just not used to having to hold back from kissing you the way I want to.”

 

“Does that mean you’re going to stop saying stupid things like I should be dating someone else?”

 

“Yeah, I guess,” Jon said, still a little breathless from the kiss.

 

“Good. Because I don’t even want to think about being with anyone else,” Char said, threading her fingers through Jon’s.

 

He was silent for a moment before looking at her, tears gathering at the corners of his eyes. “Dave said I’m going to need surgery.”

 

Charlotte softly rubbed her thumb back and forth across Jon’s hand. “I had heard that was a big possibility. How are you feeling about it?”

 

“Terrified,” Jon admitted, “absolutely scared out of my mind.”

 

“I know, Jon. But if it’s going to help you…then isn’t it a good thing?”

 

“Yeah, but…I just don’t know if I can go through with it.” Jon hated being so vulnerable and admitting just how scared he was, especially to Charlotte.

 

“I know you can do it,” Char encouraged gently. She dropped her head and Jon's and whispered. “And I’ll be right here waiting for you when you’re done.”

Chapter 51: What's He Needs

Summary:

As Jon takes some time to get reacquainted with Charlotte, his family and friends talk about next steps regarding surgeries.

Notes:

Hey all, sorry it's been so long. Life has gotten really crazy and I haven't had the time to write. I've been wanting to post the next chapter for a while, but I also wanted it to be good, so I've been slowly chipping away at it.

Thanks to all those who have asked about the next update and encouraged me to continue, it's because of you guys that I've been working so hard to get it done.

Warning, it's a bit of a long one :)

Hope you enjoy!!!

-Rose

Chapter Text

“I’ll be waiting right here when you’re done…”

 

A single tear slipped down Jon’s cheek and he relished in the sensation of his forehead resting against Charlotte’s.

 

“Babe, are you crying,” Charlotte asked, leaning back, a look of alarm crossing her face.

 

“Sorry,” he whispered.

 

“Oh, love,” she said, reaching over to wipe away Jon’s tears. “You don’t have to apologize.”

 

"But I'm–"

 

"I have an idea. Let's see if instead of crying if I can get you to smile."

 

"Babe…"

 

"Look, Jon, I'm not trying to trivialize your suffering. I'm not, okay." Char reached her hand up and cupped Jon's chin for a moment. "But it sounds like you have a long couple days ahead of you and I don't want you to get too worked up." She moved her hand away, wishing she could do more. "So maybe we just put all the heavy stuff aside for a minute so you can relax for a little bit." 

 

When she paused, Jon considered her suggestion for a moment. Maybe it would be nice to think about something else for a little while, especially with the upcoming surgery that Dave had mentioned…

 

"I promise, Jon, I have no problem talking about anything you want. Actually, I'm glad you want to have those important conversations with me." She began rubbing her thumb across his hand again."But babe, we gotta take care of your mind too. And I think maybe it would put you at ease to think about something else for a while."

 

Jon allowed himself a small smile. She knew him so well. "What did you have in mind?"

 

"Why don't you tell me about being twins with Jordan?"

 

"What do you want to know?"

 

Charlotte leaned close again. "Everything."

 

~~~~~

 

"Alright, what's all this about," Lois asked, glancing at the men who had asked her to come into the kitchen.

 

Lois took a seat at the table next to Clark. Beth, Natalie, Melissa and Jordan were sitting at the table as well. While Dave and John Henry were standing nearby.

 

"We have some information and we thought everyone should be here so we're all on the same page," John Henry said, answering Lois' question.

 

"Yeah, but Jon and Charlotte aren't here," Jordan said, pointing out the obvious.

 

"We know," Dave said. He had been positive Jordan would be the first to make that comment. "Jon knows a little bit of what I want to talk about, and I promise you, son, we will tell Jon everything else when the time is right."

 

"And Charlotte," asked Melissa. "When will we tell her?" After talking with the other girl, Melissa had developed a connection with her. After all, even though Char may not know it yet, they were the only two women in the world who knew what it was like to date a son of Superman.

 

Melissa had grown to love the Kent's over the years and gotten used to the tight knit, protective way they operated during a crisis. But for poor Charlotte…this was her first rodeo, so Melissa was going to do whatever it took to make sure Charlotte was taken care of and kept in the loop when things got crazy.

 

"That's one of the things we need to talk about," Dave answered solemnly.

 

Unfortunately, that had been exactly the answer Melissa had been worried about.

 

~~~~~

 

"I was about five years old the first time I heard someone use the word twins to describe Jordan and I. According to my parents it was at preschool visitation and one of the teachers quickly realized that we were twins and thought it was like, the coolest thing ever," he explained, the glimmer in his eyes, making it clear he had told the humorous story before. 

 

Char squeezed his hand, encouraging him to continue.

 

"And Jordan has always been really sensitive when people are talking about him, especially as a kid. So when that teacher called us twins, apparently, Jordan thought she was making fun of us or something and started throwing the biggest temper tantrum and making a big scene. What was worse, my parents had no idea why because they didn't think anything weird had happened."

 

Charlotte was completely caught up in the story and the animated way Jon was telling it. "So what did you guys do?"

 

"We went home because Jordan was so distraught. And like usual, it took him a while to calm down. When my parents eventually got Jordan to admit what had gotten him so upset, they almost started laughing. They had always known we were twins, obviously, so they didn't think much of it when the teacher said it, but they never really used that word around us, which upset Jordan; actually, they still don't use the word twins that often."

 

"What do they say?"

 

"Our names, maybe boys or brothers, sometimes," Jon answered with a shrug. "I think they wanted us to always feel like we had separate identities and didn't like lumping us together. Jordan and I use the word a decent amount though."

 

~~~~~

 

"So here's the situation," Dave said, looking directly at Lois and Clark. "Jon needs a couple of operations, you are both aware of that." They nodded. "And you guys know that I would like nothing more than to just take him to a hospital and get this thing taken care of. But unfortunately due to his unique biology, that's just not possible. Some things would be perfectly normal, but other aspects would be completely foreign, like his blood composition and how quickly he can heal, especially in sunlight. Which brings us to the Fortress."

 

Dave paused and glanced over at John Henry, who stepped in. "Like I said earlier, I've been working with Lara and the technology at the Fortress to find the best way to help Jon. Because Kryptonians were so advanced, they actually had machines you could program and they would mechanically fix injuries for you."

 

"Is that what you're going to do to Jon," Jordan asked in a horrified whisper.

 

"Yes," John Henry answered gravely. "Basically, the machine scans the injured area, you program how you want it fixed, and the machine then does it with a variety of lasers and tools." John Henry noticed all the shocked looks. "It seems strange, I know, but we've done tests and it works." John Henry scanned the distraught faces in the room. "I know it sounds crazy, but I think this is our best chance."

 

"Are you going to put Jon under sedation," Lois couldn't resist asking.

 

"No," Dave answered. "I'm not an anesthesiologist, so I wouldn't even know where to begin preparing the right dosage and I would never put Jon in danger like that. However, Lara has a special chamber we can place Jon in. Basically she can activate a force field that will numb his body and keep him from feeling anything."

 

"This is really our best play," questioned Jordan in total disbelief. "Alien surgery? Jon's going to hate that."

 

~~~~~

 

When we were seven, Jordan and I had this idea that being twins made us superheroes.

 

"Wait really, that's adorable."

 

"Yep," Jon chuckled to himself. "Technically it was Jordan's idea, but I definitely went along with it," he recalled, trying not to think of the irony of the childhood game they had once played. They had been so carefree then and the idea of superpowers had been such a fun concept. But as adults, they had such different perceptions now. "We even came up with special twin superpowers."

 

"Oh yeah, like what?"

 

"Like pretending that we could read each other's minds."

 

"Aww, that's cute," Char said, giving him a quick peck on the cheek. "Do you still wish you could read Jordan's mind?"

 

"Definitely not," Jon said, rolling his eyes. "Although sometimes it feels like I can."

 

"Really, I thought that was a myth."

 

"Nope, it's kinda freaky, to be honest."

 

"Well, I think it's adorable," Char said, kissing Jon again.

 

~~~~~

 

"Jordan, you don't have to be negative," Lois admonished gently.

 

"Well, I was just saying what everyone was thinking," he muttered.

 

Melissa recognized that Jordan was quickly getting agitated and worked up by Dave and John Henry's suggestions, so she took his hand, hoping to bring him some level of comfort. And it's not that he was trying to be difficult, he was just worried.

 

Actually, terrified was more like it, if Melissa had to guess.

 

"Yes, it's a little out of the ordinary, but we don't have a lot of choices," Clark said. He was trying his best to remain composed and not let the guilt consume him. Dave had said it best: they would all like Jon to be in a hospital, but he couldn't, because of his unique biology. And the reason it was unique…was because of Clark.

 

It was practically impossible not to feel guilty, but he was still the patriarch of the family and had to keep his act together for everyone else's sake.

 

"Have you told any of this to Jonathan yet," Clark asked, turning his attention back to Dave.

 

"I talked to him a little bit after the checkup I gave him earlier. He knows he will need surgery and that it will be at the Fortress. But he thinks I will be doing it. I didn't have the heart to tell him how much we will be relying on Kryptonian technology until I talked to all of you."

 

"So you lied," Jordan realized.

 

"Well, not technically, I will be involved, I just didn't tell him all the details, mostly because I wanted to talk about some of the logistics with all of you first."

 

~~~~~

 

"I bet it was great growing up with a brother you were so close with," Charlotte said. One hand was still linked with Jon's while the other had moved to the messy curls she had grown to love. As she began slowly and methodically running her fingers through his hair, Char wasn't sure which one of them was taking more comfort from the action.

 

"Actually, as we got older, there were a lot of differences between us," Jon clarified, leaning into Charlotte's touch.

 

"But you guys seem so close."

 

"Yeah, we are, but we are still pretty different. Especially when we were young teenagers it seemed like we were always going completely separate directions."

 

"I would have never guessed that after watching you guys interact a little while ago."

 

"Oh, don't worry," Jon insisted. "We still go at each other sometimes. I swear there's nobody else in the world that can make me mad as fast as Jordan can."

 

"But there's also nobody you love more than him."

 

~~~~~

 

"So are you doing the operations today," Lois asked, knowing she would feel better if she had a few concrete answers.

 

"Today or tomorrow," said Dave. "Sooner is better, but I also want to make sure he's totally on board."

 

"Which isn't going to be easy," added Jordan."Dave, you heard Jon before, he hates the idea, probably because it will make him feel like an alien experiment, which is literally his worst nightmare."

 

"We're all aware of your brother's sensitivity to the issue," said John Henry. "Unfortunately, we don't have another option."

 

"He's right," agreed Dave, "the best thing we can do is be there to support Jon and encourage him that he needs this to get better."

 

"I think Charlotte's going to be a big part of that," Natalie said, speaking up for the first time. "I've seen the two of them together more than any of you. And I know for a fact that if we want Jon to be on board with this crazy idea, then Charlotte needs to be involved. Jon's going to need her support."

 

"So does that mean we have to let her in on the family secret?"

 

~~~~~

 

"It's not that I love Jordan more than everyone else," clarified Jon. "It's more like…we're two halves of the same whole. And no matter what happens, we're always drawn back together, especially during challenging times."

 

"That's kind of what Melissa said." Charlotte stopped moving for a second as she considered what Jon was saying.

 

"Babe, listen, I'm sorry I told you to go and let Jordan stay. I wasn't thinking how it would look to you. All I knew was that I didn't want you to see Dave check me over."

 

"Why," she asked softly.

 

"Because I didn't want you to think of me differently," he answered, his voice quiet as well. "I guess I was worried if you saw me getting blood drawn and bandages changed that you would think of me as weaker. So I just sent you away instead of dealing with it, and I'm sorry."

 

"Babe, no. I'm the one who's sorry. I got jealous when you picked Jordan over me, so much that I almost didn't listen to Melissa when she tried to explain about the relationship you shared with your brother. I guess there was some part of me that figured since I came all this way that you should only want to spend time with me."

 

Charlotte glanced down, ashamed at her behavior. "Obviously that was a stupid overreaction so I'm the one who's sorry."

 

"Char, you didn't even know Jordan and I were twins at the time."

 

"Yeah, but I knew you were brothers and that you were close. I should have accepted that you were going through a lot and spending time with Jordan would be helpful."

 

~~~~~

 

"That's one of the reasons I wanted to call all of you here," Dave said, addressing Jordan, the one who had asked the question about Charlotte. "Something will need to be decided because the procedure will be at the Fortress, it could take a while, and I just think she's going to have questions."

 

"What if we just said that we are taking Jon to a specialist for the procedure," John Henry asked.

 

"I'm not sure that would work," Melissa said. "She's going to wonder why the rest of us can go and she can't." Melissa rarely spoke up in these kinds of meetings, but she knew someone had to be on Charlotte's side.

 

"But has she really been around long enough to be trusted with this kind of information?" John Henry hated playing the opposite side, but someone had to be logical.

 

"I think what matters is that she's important to Jonathan and he's going to need her support if he is going to be able to handle the intense operations you have all been discussing."

 

"Clark, what do you think," John Henry asked, looking to the man he had fought beside many times. They could all have their own opinions of course, but in the end, they all knew Clark had the final say.

 

"As much as I want to say it's too soon, I think we have to tell her something. I know Jon, and his absolute biggest fear is feeling like an alien science experiment. But unfortunately, using technology from the Fortress seems to be our only option at this point." He took a deep breath and gave the answer that just a few days ago would have surprised even him. "So if Jon needs Charlotte there, then I'm not going to deny him that."

 

"Well then I guess the question is how much do we tell her and when, because the sooner we can take Jon to the Fortress, the better," Dave concluded.

 

~~~~~

 

"Yeah, Jordan's great, but spending time with you too is also helping."

 

Charlotte glanced up. "Really?"

 

"Of course! You distracted me and helped me calm down when I didn't think it was possible. You've been so loyal from the moment you got here. And despite the fact that I must look like an ogre right now, you've still kissed me several times. So if that's not going to make me feel good I don't know what will," he said, giving her a boyish grin.

 

Charlotte laughed openly and threw her head back before answering. "Sorry to disappoint, Jon, but as hot as you are, I'm not with you just for your good looks, there's a lot more to you than that. You are an incredible football coach and you genuinely care about the players. In addition, you are smart and selfless, you are always worried about everyone else. I honestly think if the world was ending you would take the time to make sure everyone else was safe before taking care of yourself."

 

Jon chuckled to himself and glanced away, bashful at the outright compliments.

 

But Charlotte wasn't done.

 

"Jon, you treat me better than any man I could have ever dreamed up. You are Prince Charming, my hero, and a role model rolled all in one. I love you more than anything in this world."

 

That was going to be tough to follow, but Jon was so grateful to Char that he had to try and express just how grateful he was to her.

 

Jon pulled his hand away from Charlotte and pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "Char, you're the sweetest, kindest, most beautiful woman in the world." Jon was getting a little choked up, but kept going. "You help me see the reality of a situation and always know exactly what I need, even when I don't know myself." He took a deep breath. "Things with this surgery are going to get a little crazy and there's some things, major things," he amended, "that I'm going to have to explain to you as we go forward."

 

Char took Jon's hand again, gave it a quick kiss and threaded her fingers through his. "Jonathan Kent, I know we haven't been dating long, but when I think of my future I see you in it. So if you want to tell me some things, then bring it on, because you're not sending me away. I will however try to be a little more understanding when you need time with Jordan," she said, giving him a shy smile. "But I'm always going to be by your side, no matter how crazy things get. When I found out you were hurt…it was like a part of me died, Jon," she whispered. "I was so worried. And now, getting to hold your hand and tell you I love you feels like the best gift in the world. I thought I lost you once, and I'm not doing that again." Tears escaped toward the end of her words.

 

"Aw, baby, it's going to be okay, come here."

 

"But Jon, your injuries, I don't want to–"

 

"Screw that," he said fiercely, determined not to let his frail body keep him from the woman he loved. "We've been apart long enough, I want to hold you."

 

Charlotte looked hesitant, and it was quite clear she didn't want to hurt him, but she also wanted to lay next to him. So, carefully, and more gently than she had ever moved around him, Charlotte climbed onto the right side of the bed. She had to be mindful of his fragile left side and didn't want to make anything worse.

 

When she was finally in the bed, Char was barely touching him, but Jon pulled her close. He didn't want to feel like strangers any longer.

 

Jon wrapped his good arm around her waist to bring her in tighter then began rubbing her back. It was clear Charlotte had missed Jon just as much because she buried her face on his chest, so thankful to be near him again.

 

The situation wasn't ideal, but Charlotte had been right, there was a long road ahead and they needed each other.

 

Jon wanted to tell her the truth about his family right then and how terrified he was to having some kind surgery using alien technology.

 

But there would be time for all that later.

 

For the time being, all Jon needed was to hold Charlotte and have her be there, because he couldn't do it alone. He needed his family too, the doctors who had become friends, and Jordan, of course he needed Jordan.

 

But for the first time in a long while, someone else had been added to that least. Because Jon also needed Charlotte, he needed her as much as his next breath.

 

So when it came to making it through the surgery and getting back to normal, Jon needed all of them.

Chapter 52: What happened?

Summary:

Jonathan begins talking with his dad and Dave, trying to prepare mentally and physically for his operations. In addition, he faces the reality that Charlotte may learn the family secret soon.

Chapter Text

Although they hadn’t reached a decision on exactly what, or how to tell Charlotte the big family secret, the Kent’s and their close friends did come up with a way to get a little more time to figure out a good plan.

 

Dave, Lois and Clark made their way to the back room while the others stayed in the kitchen for the time being. When they first walked into the hospital grade room and Lois saw Charlotte cuddled on the bed with Jordan, her first thought was to rush in and put a stop to it, but Clark held her back, shaking his head slightly.

 

“Hey guys,” Jon said, pulling Charlotte closer, as if to say that he was perfectly happy laying next to Charlotte, almost daring his parents to comment. “How’s it going?”

 

“Fine, Jon, just fine,” Clark answered, taking Lois’ hand, knowing that even though she had decided to stay quiet, she still worried about Charlotte laying so close to Jon when he was still incredibly fragile. But apparently Jon wasn’t concerned because every time the other girl tried to move or sit up, Jon pulled her back down, making a statement without saying any words. “We were just talking to Dave a little bit about the surgery coming up.”

 

Predictably, Jon stiffened as soon as Clark mentioned the impending surgeries. “Oh yeah,” he asked, trying to keep his voice from quivering.

 

“Yep,” Dave confirmed. “And I’m still thinking that sooner is better.”

 

Jon absently glanced out the window–probably wishing he was anywhere but there or trying not to cry– Clark was unsure.

 

“However,” Dave said, and his tone caused Jon to turn back. “I also think before we do anything else we need to take a few X-Rays to make sure we can fully identify and understand the damage to that left side.” Dave looked pointedly at Clark, wordlessly conveying that when he said X-Rays, he meant that Clark would use his powers to help them get that information.

 

“I guess, if that’s what you think is best,” Jon answered, though obviously not thrilled with the idea.

 

“That’s what Dave decided, sweetie,” Lois said, taking a few steps closer. “How are you doing, in any pain?”

 

“No, I’m fine. My left side is pretty much useless though,” Jon muttered, obviously still annoyed by that fact.

 

“That’s why we want Dave to figure out exactly what needs to happen to get you patched up. None of us like seeing you like this, Jon.”

 

He shrugged, not really sure what his mom expected him to say.

 

“What do you think, babe,” Char asked, lifting her head slightly so she was looking at him. "Don't you think it would be a good idea to get some X-Rays?"

 

She could tell Jon wasn't super into the idea and thought that since he seemed to be more responsive to her, maybe it was up to her to help encourage him.

 

"I'd rather stay here with you," Jon said, giving the wrong answer on purpose. He also made a big show of pulling Char closer, as if to say that she didn't have to go anywhere if she didn't want to.

 

"I would like to stay with you too," Charlotte agreed, understanding his game, though not falling for it. "But it would be better if you could hug me with both arms, don't you think?"

 

"Yeah, I guess. But does that mean you have to leave," Jon asked. After sending her away earlier, he didn't want to be the one to do it again, even though it was logical.

 

"It might be better if I stepped out for just a minute. I wouldn't want to be in the way." Charlotte understood that Jon was giving her the choice, which she appreciated. And as much as she wanted to be there, if Dave needed to take X-Rays, he probably needed some space.

 

"It shouldn't take long," Dave added helpfully.

 

"Do you want me to get Jordan," Charlotte asked. After talking with both Melissa and Jon she realized there was nothing to be jealous of. Yes, there were times that Jon would need his brother. But there were plenty of times where he would need her too.

 

"Actually, Jordan's in the kitchen with the others. You're more than welcome to join them. I'm going to stay here with Jon this time if that's okay," Clark said, giving her a kind smile.

 

"Oh, okay," Charlotte couldn't shake the feeling that she was missing something. "Maybe I'll just go say hi to Jordan and Melissa then." She hadn't seen Clark interact with Jon too much yet and it was a little hard to understand their relationship, but as long as he would help make Jon comfortable, that's all Char really wanted.

 

"I'll come with you," Lois offered helpfully, giving a kind smile. "We'll be back soon, sweetie, okay?"

 

"Sure, Mom."

 

Charlotte turned back to Jon. "I guess I'll see you in a little bit."

 

"You know, I'm really not sure if I'm okay with this," Jon said, pouting a bit.

 

"What do you mean," Charlotte asked, giving Jon's hand a quick squeeze.

 

"Well, what kind of guy in his right mind is okay with his mom and girlfriend leaving a room together. I mean let's be real, no good can come from this."

 

Charlotte's face burst into a smile as she realized Jon was joking.

 

"Don't scare me like that," she lectured giving him a playful slap on the hand.

 

"Who's playing," Jon asked seriously, though he couldn't quite hide the glimmer in his eyes. "I'm genuinely worried about what you guys might talk abo–"

 

Charlotte had rolled her eyes and completely ended Jon's line of BS by kissing him fully on the mouth.

 

After a couple of seconds she pulled away and simply said, "Be good," before leaving the room with Lois.

 

Jon chuckled softly at his girlfriend's predictable behavior. But when she was gone, his expression turned more solemn and he glanced over at his dad and Dave. "I bet I can't get you guys to leave as well, huh?"

 

"Not a chance," Clark answered good naturedly. He turned to Dave for a second. "You wanna tell Jon the plan, here?"

 

"Sure, Clark. So obviously, we don't want to go in and start any sort of operation without being fully prepared first, so I thought your dad could X-Ray the left side and explain to us exactly where the breaks are to give us a better idea of the extent of the operations needed. Is that okay?"

 

A big part of Jon wanted to say no, he wasn't okay with any of this, but surprisingly, talking to Charlotte had helped. He did want to get back to normal so he could return to work and to his life with the girl he loved.

 

But none of that would happen if he didn't get the surgeries Dave was insisting on.

 

So instead, Jon simply said, "Yeah, that's okay."

 

~~~~~

 

Even though it was easy for Clark to see the breaks using his X-Ray vision, it took a little time for him to explain to Dave the precise location of each break and how extensive it was.

 

Jon stayed pretty quiet through the whole process.

 

After all, Clark was the one doing a lot of the work and explaining all the injuries to Dave, who was the one taking notes and laying out what needed to be done.

 

At first, Jon tried to follow along, but he soon learned things were easier if he just tuned everything out.

 

Eventually, they were done with their assessment and were ready to explain things to Jonathan.

 

"Okay, so we're looking at four breaks, all on your left side of course; two in your arm and two in your leg. Based on Clark's observation they look to pretty clean breaks, which is good. However, many of the fragments are just a little but too far out of alignment, which is why surgery is required to fix them."

 

"How will you do that?"

 

"Well, the common practice us to use small metal rods or pins to hold the bones in place while they are healing."

 

"And that's what you're going to do to me," Jon asked incredulously. "You know how to do that?"

 

"Well, no, not exactly," admitted Dave, running his fingers through his short, dark hair. "That's why we are going to the Fortress."

 

Jon paled. "Exactly what is the purpose of going to the Fortress," he asked, realizing there was something big he wasn't being told about.

 

"Well, Jon, you know that technically I'm only a general practitioner, so a lot of this is completely out of my wheelhouse."

 

"Okay, yeah, but you've been taking care of Jordan and I for years. And I'm pretty sure most of that doesn't fall under the normal criteria for a general practitioner," Jon snapped back.

 

"Yes, but for anything remotely Kryptonian I always consulted your dad or Lara before administering any kind of treatment, and this situation is no different. The minute your dad brought you here, I gave him a whole list of questions for Lara. Because I wanted to handle things right. I still do."

 

Dave took a few steps closer to Jon and laid a hand on his good shoulder. "I understand the basics of what needs to happen here, and I'm sorry we can't take you to a real doctor, but it's just too risky. I know it's scary, but Lara has the technology at the Fortress to take care of you and get this done. And we'll be right by your side the whole time, I promise, Jon. We're all here for you."

 

Jon had been listening intently to the doctor's speech, soaking in all of the words. When he finished speaking, Jon finally looked up. He could see how genuine the other man was. After taking care of them and getting them through so many difficult situations, Dave was much more than their family doctor.

 

And as scared as Jon still felt, it was enough to make Jon ask his next question. "Okay, so when we go to the Fortress…what happens exactly?"

 

~~~~~ 

 

"Ms. Lane, could I ask you something," Charlotte said, as the two women began the walk down the hallway.

 

"Sure," Lois said, curious of what Jon's girlfriend would want to ask of her at a time like this.

 

"Everything that's going on, it's pretty serious, right?"

 

"Yeah, I would say so."

 

"Okay, so because it's such a big deal, Jon obviously needs a lot of support, from his family and from everyone here, right?"

 

"Yes, I would say that's a fair statement," Lois agreed, still wondering where the young woman was going with this.

 

"And do you think I'll…I'll be able to be there for him too?"

 

"Well, yes, I don't think we're going to kick you out at this point," Lois said with a chuckle. The ironic thing was that they had just talking about how much they should tell her. And while they didn't have a real answer yet, the more Lois watched them together, the more it was obvious that there was something between the two.

 

"I appreciate that, but I guess I was wondering if you think I'll be able to handle everything that comes next, if I'm strong enough?" When she saw Lois' surprised face, Char quickly tried to backtrack. "I'm sorry, you don't know me that well, that was probably a dumb question. Never mind."

 

Lois put out a hand to stop Charlotte from getting away. "It wasn't a dumb question. You're right, I don't know you that well, but I can tell you what I do know, what I have seen so far today."

 

Charlotte looked up at the strong woman, nervous about what her assessment would be.

 

"In order to get here, you rode six hours with Jordan, even though didn't know him, you obviously hate leaving Jon's side, and even though he's really beat up that hasn't phased you one bit. What's coming ahead is going to be difficult, yes, but based on everything I have seen, I think you are the perfect person to stand by Jon through all of this."

 

Charlotte gave a smile of relief.Having the approval of Jon's mom was so important to Charlotte. "Thank you Ms. Lane."

 

She returned the smile. "Call me Lois."

 

~~~~~

 

After much deliberation, Dave, Clark, and Jonathan decided to head to the Fortress early the next morning.

 

The plan was to spend the evening with his family, try to keep his strength up, and take some time to process everything that was coming next. Later that night, Jon would request some time alone with Charlotte and he would gently and carefully explain the truth about his family.

 

He had an idea of how he was going to explain everything, but he was hoping to run those ideas by parents, just to get their expert opinions.

 

Until then, he was perfectly content to have everyone in the back room, just hanging out. It was nice to laugh and just be together. Plus, despite how crazy things were going to get the next day, Jon enjoyed the down time and getting to show Charlotte just how great his family could be.

 

The atmosphere had been pretty enjoyable…that was until Lois started bringing up stories from when they were babies; that had been embarrassing.

 

Afterwards no one could say exactly what happened.

 

One moment they were laughing and joking around, then the next, for some reason Jon had tried to gesture with his left arm.

 

Dave had tried to secure the left arm so Jon wouldn't move it, but it wasn't entirely immobile.

 

It was silent for a half a second as everyone realized what Jon had just done, then the room burst into chaos.

 

Jon screamed in agony. Clark zipped over to the bed and quickly used his X-Ray vision to scan Jon's arm. He turned to Dave.

 

"It's completely out of place. I'm surprised that it didn't go through the skin."

 

Dave paled. "Then we can't wait until tomorrow. You have to take him to the Fortress." Dave unhooked Jon's IV and any other tubes that he was connected to. He turned back to Clark. "I'll be there soon. Take him now!"

 

Then, in a flash, both Clark and Jonathan were gone.

 

Charlotte was about to ask exactly what had just happened, but then things got stranger.

 

Dave began yelling for John Henry and Natalie to grab things around the room and said they also had to go away too, again to some place he called the Fortress.

 

Then, things got even weirder.

 

Dave opened the big window by the bed. Then this strange armor instantly covered Nat and John Henry, they picked up the objects that Dave had instructed them to carry, and they flew out the open window.

 

They flew?!

 

"Okay what–"

 

Dave rushed over to Beth. "I'll be back when I can and we'll send updates as we have them." He gave her a quick kiss then walked over to Lois and Jordan.

 

"You take care of my son," Lois said. Her voice was strong, despite the fear in her eyes.

 

"I promise, Lois."

 

"And you bring him back to me."

 

"I'll give him everything I have," Dave whispered, before pulling her in for a quick but fierce hug. Then he turned to Jordan. “Let’s go, son.”

 

Jordan nodded, put his arm around Dave’s waist and flew out the window.

 

Charlotte’s mouth dropped open. How was any of this even real? What had actually happened?

 

Now that the chaos had died down, Charlotte noticed that the only people left were herself, Lois, Beth and Jordan’s girlfriend, Melissa.

 

At that point, there was really only one thing to ask. “What the hell just happened?”

Chapter 53: Having Hope

Summary:

While Dave and Clark get Jon settled into the Fortress, Lois must figure out how to explain the strange events to Charlotte.

Notes:

I think we've all been waiting for this one :)

Enjoy!

Chapter Text

Being Superman had always been challenging.

Doing the right thing in domestic, international and even intergalactic affairs had certainly been taxing over the years, but Clark had never questioned his role as a superhero.

 

But nothing, nothing , could compare to the gut wrenching feeling of hearing his son scream in agony.

 

They arrived at the Fortress and Jon was still writhing in pain and Clark was left helpless.

 

"It's okay, Jonathan, we're gonna get you fixed up really soon, okay? I promise buddy, we're gonna make you better."

 

"Dad it hurts," he yelled, burying his face in Clark's shoulder.

 

"I know son, Dave will be here soon," he answered, gripping Jon's shoulder and rubbing his back.

 

He was trying to keep his son close to provide comfort, but he also didn't want to injure Jon any further and could only hope that Dave would arrive soon.

 

~~~~~

 

"Seriously, somebody better tell me what the hell is going on," Charlotte said, trying to ignore the way her frantic heartbeat was racing. She was looking back and forth between the three women in the room, wondering who would best be able to answer her question.

 

Finally, Charlotte stopped looking around and focused on Lois. She must know why her son…why her husband…

 

Charlotte wasn't even sure she could think the words.

 

"Lois, what is going on?"

 

She took a deep breath and decided to start by answering the simplest question first. "Somehow, Jon has injured himself worse and had to be taken to another place more equipped to deal with severe injuries."

 

"Okay, but one second he was here, and next second Clark went to pick him up and they…they were gone," Char remembered, barely getting the words out. "How does that even happen?"

 

"Let's take a seat on the bed. Beth and Melissa, could you guys give us a minute? I'll call you if I need anything."

 

The other two women nodded and stepped out of the room. When they were alone, Lois turned back to Charlotte, looked directly into her eyes and placed a comforting hand on the other woman's shoulder.

 

And being Lois Lane, she saw no reason to mince words.

 

"Clark is Superman."

 

~~~~~

 

"Alright, I'm here," Dave called, before Jordan had even set him down.

 

"Thank goodness," Clark called, the worry he felt for Jonathan completely consuming his voice.

 

Dave rushed over to Jonathan while Jordan inserted Lara's crystal. At the same time, Nat and John Iron appeared in the entryway with the supplies Dave had asked them to bring.

 

When Lara's AI came into view, she scanned the scene and said. "Hello, everyone, what seems to be going on here?"

 

"Mother, Jonathan is hurt. I know you talked about an operation and unfortunately we can't wait."

 

She noticed the writhing presence of her young grandson. "Then let's get to work."

 

~~~~~

 

"Superman? No way, you're joking," Charlotte answered with a nervous laugh.

 

"Unfortunately, Charlotte, I am not joking. Clark is Superman."

 

"But that's crazy, Clark seems so normal and average and Superman is…well…super," Charlotte said for lack of a better word.

 

"I know," Lois replied, squeezing Char's shoulder. She remembered when she first learned Clark's secret and could sympathize with how shocking it could be. "That's all part of keeping the secret. He acts as normal as possible so people won't suspect the truth."

 

"But…but…he can't possibly be…"

 

"I know it's a lot to take in, but I can prove it."

 

Wordlessly, Lois took out her phone and showed Charlotte a family picture, then zoomed in on Clark's face. Then she pulled up a picture of Superman, and once again zoomed in on his face. Then back to the family picture…and back to Superman.

 

It only took a couple of times for Charlotte to see just how close the facial resemblance was, despite the vastly different attire. 

 

Her jaw dropped as she finally accepted the reality of the situation. "He's really…really.." she whispered, unable to finish the sentence.

 

"Superman," Lois answered helpfully. "Yes, he is."

 

"But Superman's…an alien," Charlotte said, recalling one of the most basic facts everyone knew about the superhero.

 

The comment didn't phase Lois. "Yes, he comes from a planet called Krypton. So technically you're right, he is an alien."

 

"So then…Jon was adopted by an alien?"

 

"Not exactly."

 

~~~~~

 

"Does the physician have all the necessary tools," Lara asked, turning to Dave.

 

"Yes ma'am," he replied. Even though Lara was only an AI, Dave was always very respectful towards her. Over time he had learned just how valued Lara had been on Krypton and just how skilled of a scientist she had been.

 

In addition, Dave was very aware of the fact that he had been exposed to a whole new world of technology and culture; a world that wasn't intended for humans.

 

So as much as Dave prided himself on being a good doctor, he also put a lot of stock in Lara's Kryptonian technology and knowledge; especially when it came to taking care of the boys.

 

"Excellent. You can begin setting up the medical equipment, just like we discussed."

 

"Yes ma'am," Dave answered dutifully, before getting right to work.

 

Lara turned to her son. "Place Jonathan on the examination table Kal," she said, her silvery presence looming at the front of the chamber. 

 

"Yes, mother." Clark said, rushing Jon over to table. He gently set Jon down and ran his fingers through the boy's hair. "Everything's gonna be okay, Jon." He leaned in to kiss his son's forehead. "I promise."

 

~~~~~

 

"What do you mean not exactly? If Clark's actually an…an alien," Charlotte said, clearly troubled by the words, "then Jonathan has to be…"

 

Lois squeezed the other girl's shoulder once again. "Jordan and Jonathan are the biological sons of myself and Clark."

 

"No," Charlotte replied, shaking her head. "That's impossible." She stood up and began pacing back and forth. "First you tell me that Clark is Superman and that the stories are true– he really is from another planet. And now you expect me to believe that you and Clark are Jon's biological parents."

 

"Yes," Lois answered calmly.

 

"Okay, but then that would mean…Jon is…Jon is..."

 

Not at all deterred by the girl pacing back and forth in front of her, Lois gave the answers she new Charlotte was looking for. "Because Jordan and Jonathan were conceived naturally, that means that they are half human, like me, and half Kryptonian, like Clark. It's the way they were born."

 

In shock once again, Charlotte stopped pacing and took a few steps back. She whispered, "Jon is half… hu-human and half…"

 

"Kryptonian," Lois said, finishing the girl's sentence again.

 

"What does that even mean?"

 

"Why don't you come and sit by me and I'll tell you anything you want to know?"

 

~~~~~

 

Once they activated a small forcefield around Jon, it was able to numb the pain and he was finally able to relax. However, the forcefield didn't put him to sleep and Jon was very aware of the situation going on around him.

 

And he was terrified.

 

The whole thing literally felt like his worst fears of being experimented on, were coming true.

 

Watching Dave and John Henry rush around, setting up the various instruments and machines, most of which were rather intimidating, was not the best for Jon's mental state.

 

Thankfully, Clark and Jordan were right there.

 

They couldn't touch him, because they were Kryptonian too and the forcefield would have numbed their bodies as well. But they were right there, never taking their eyes from Jon, doing their best to encourage him.

 

"It's gonna be so great to have you back to a hundred percent man, this whole talking to you in a hospital bed thing is getting kind of old," Jordan commented, trying to keep the mood light even though he was fighting back tears.

 

"And you've always been strong, Jon. If anyone can handle this, it's you. I just know it," Clark was saying. He still felt so guilty that it was because of him that Jon couldn't go to a real hospital in the first place. But it wasn't the time to talk about his own insecurities, he needed to focus on Jon.

 

"I appreciate the vote of confidence, guys, but I need to tell you something."

 

"Of course, Jonathan."

 

"Anything."

 

"You guys know that I think the world of you both, right?"

"Of course," Clark said. Jordan nodded emphatically.

 

"If things go south today…I need you to tell everyone here how much I care about them."

 

Identical looks of alarm crossed Jordan and Clark's faces as they realized what Jon was saying.

 

"And tell Nat that she's been the best sister in the world and Mom…that I love her,"Jon said, a few tears slipping down his face."

 

"Jonathan–"

 

"Can one of you please tell Charlotte…that she's my everything and that I love her so much, more than I ever thought I could love someone."

 

"You can tell her yourself," Jordan said fiercely, refusing to even entertain the idea that Jon may not make it through the operations.

 

"Alright," Dave said, approaching the Kent's. "We're ready."

 

~~~~~

 

Once Charlotte was sitting back down by Lois, she was able to give the other girl a little more information. "When Clark and I got married we didn't even know it was possible for us to have kids. But I was okay with it because I loved Clark. I still do, more than I ever thought I could love someone, actually." Lois said with a smile, thinking of the strong relationship she shared with her wonderful husband.

 

"But when I found out I was pregnant, it was the biggest miracle in the world for us and for Clark. For the first time in his life he had a real relationship with somebody he was connected to by blood."

 

Charlotte furrowed her brows. "But…what about where he was…you know, from?"

 

"Krypton was becoming a war torn and dangerous place so his parents sent him to earth where he would be safe. He was only a baby so he doesn't remember them." Lois thought that was the safest answer for the time being, there would be time later to explain about the Fortress and Lara.

 

"But when we had Jordan and Jonathan…it meant everything to Clark to finally have that familial connection to someone else."

 

Charlotte softened for a moment. Working in social services she knew all about the desire for family connection and wanting to be surrounded by people who were your blood.

 

She saw it every day.

 

When Lois had first explained what was going on, Char was simply in disbelief, but the more she listened to Lois, the more she realized that the situation was a lot more complicated than she originally assumed.

 

"So…the boys…"

 

"Found out about Clark when they were fourteen. It took a little bit of adjusting, but they know everything now. And, since I'm sure you're curious, I can tell you that despite being only half Kryptonian Jordan has all the same powers as his dad."

 

"And Jon?"

 

"Does not have powers, but he has a few traits that make him unique."

 

"Like what?"

 

"Well, he can heal a little faster than most people. He's a little stronger and doesn't need as much sleep. I would say the biggest thing with him is a few biological differences, things with his blood and a couple of his organs are different than normal humans."

 

"That's why he couldn't go to a regular hospital," Charlotte said, the realization washing over her.

 

Lois smiled. The girl was clearly completely overwhelmed by the situation, but she had brains…that much was obvious.

 

There was a distinct sense of pride for Lois knowing that her son had fallen for someone who who more going for her than just looks. 

 

"Exactly. Some things would be okay, but once they started in on some bloodwork, it would be a disaster and raise all kinds of questions, which is why we're here."

 

"And Dave?"

 

"Knows everything. That's why he is able to take care of the boys and all their needs, despite the way they're different than his usual patients."

 

"But how…did that even happen?"

 

"That's a story for another day. A calmer day, I think. But if you want to know, I'll tell you. Any other questions?"

 

"Where did they take Jon?"

 

Lois had been expecting this one. "There's a place that has Kryptonian technology to help with the operations." Lois noticed Charlotte's face had slipped into a mixed look of confusion and concern. She quickly reassured, "But don't worry, Dave knows what he's doing. And Clark's going to be there with Jon the whole time, and Jordan probably too."

 

Everything that Lois had said was probably the furthest thing Charlotte ever expected to hear about the boy she loved and his family. And even though was still processing new concepts like Krypton and biological differences, she realized at that moment, there was only one question she really needed the answer to.

 

"Will he be safe?"

 

"Safe?"

 

"You know, can they take care of him? Is this place that they took him dangerous?"

 

Lois was touched that despite everything that she had learned, the girl was still so concerned about Jon; but Lois didn't want to lie to her either.

 

"The situation we're in is a bit unprecedented. Jon's never been through anything quite like this. But the technology there is top notch and they know what they are doing and are going to take really good care of him. But there's something else."

 

"What's that," Charlotte asked, a few tears slipping down her cheeks.

 

"Everyone there: Dave, Clark, Jordan, John Henry and Natalie, they all love Jonathan. This isn't just some job for them. They want him back whole, and safe and healthy. They're going to give him everything they have."

 

"I just want him to be okay."

 

"Oh, honey, come here." Without hesitation Charlotte leaned into Lois' arms, and the motherly instincts took over. "He's going to be okay."

 

"How do you know?"

 

"Because I have hope."

Chapter 54: Changes

Summary:

As Jonathan's surgery begins, Charlotte contemplates everything she has just learned and finds a surprising confidant in Beth.

Notes:

So sorry about the wait, definitely not my intention! I lost track of the days.

Enjoy!

Chapter Text

Charlotte Reynolds had always been an organized person. She liked planning out each hour of her day, color coding her calendar and had an impressively detailed day planner. In addition, Charlotte also liked to follow procedure and solve issues in a logical manner.

 

But what exactly was the correct protocol when you find out your boyfriend is a half alien?

 

Char still couldn’t believe she was considering such crazy questions, but it was the new reality she was still trying to accept.

 

After talking to Lois a few more minutes, Charlotte asked to just be alone to think about everything she had just learned. Despite their rocky start, Lois seemed to have warmed up to Jon's girlfriend and had no problem giving her some space.

 

Realizing she needed a place to really just think things through, Charlotte made her way onto the front porch. The warmth of the sun felt nice on her cheeks and the normalcy was a good reminder that not everything had changed.

 

Even though it felt like nothing was ever going to be the same again.

 

No matter how she felt about the whole thing, Charlotte recognized the fact that she had been given some very private information that not many people had. She still had a lot to figure out, that was for sure, but there was no way that Char was going to betray the Kent’s trust and tell anyone else what she had learned.

 

She could never do that to Jon.

 

~~~~~

 

Meanwhile, at the Fortress, Jon was wishing he could be anywhere else. 

 

“Alright, we’re ready,” Dave said, approaching the Kent’s. John Henry was positioned a few feet away at another table, ready to do his part. “Hi, Jonathan. Are you feeling any pain?”

 

“No, not anymore.”

 

“Well, that’s good. Your arm was hurting quite a bit before, huh?”

 

“Yeah, you could say that. When you guys told me that you would put me in this forcefield and that I wouldn't feel anything, I didn’t quite believe you,” he admitted.

 

“And now you’re saying it works pretty good,” Dave asked, allowing himself a small smile. With everything that was about to happen, it was important to double check.

 

“Yeah,” Jon agreed. “At least we know one thing works,” he murmured.

 

“Now listen, the forcefield is not the only thing that’s going to work here.” Dave reached through and placed a hand on Jon’s shoulder. Because he wasn’t Kryptonian he had no problem touching Jon through the forcefield. “We have some of the best Kryptonian technology here, Lara is watching over us, and John Henry and I are leading this whole thing.”

 

Dave gave Jon’s shoulder a quick squeeze. The surgery was going to happen anyway, there was no doubt about that, but Dave believed very strongly that Jon needed to be as calm as possible before they began. So he reassured Jon one more time. “I promise you son, we care about you too much to let anything bad happen.”

 

“Thanks, Doc,” Jon whispered, overcome with emotion. “Let’s get this over with.”

 

“Sounds good to me,” Dave said, pulling his hand back through the forcefield.

 

~~~~~

 

Charlotte wasn’t exactly sure how to even begin processing all of her emotions. But one thing was for sure, she had to find a way to keep herself together or the Kent’s would assume she couldn’t handle it and wouldn’t tell her anything else.

 

And she had to know what was going on with Jon, she would go crazy if they didn’t.

 

He hadn’t even been gone that long and already Charlotte had a million questions running through her mind.

 

How were things going? Had the surgery even started yet? Was Jon scared? What if–

 

“Would you like some company,” asked a kind voice. It was Beth, someone Charlotte hadn’t talked to much, yet.

 

“Well, I’m okay, but it’s whatever you want,” Char answered, trying to be polite.

 

“Maybe I’ll sit with you for just a few minutes,” Beth answered, joining Charlotte on the front porch steps. “It looks like your brain is running a million miles a minute. What are you thinking about?”

 

“Jon, I guess, wondering how the surgery is going,” Charlotte said, opting for a safe answer. She was unsure of how much to tell this other woman and decided it was better to be cautious. Besides, it wasn’t exactly a lie.

 

“I think we're all wondering about that,” Beth agreed. “I know I am. But I also happen to know you had a big talk with Lois. How are you feeling after all that? I’m guessing she told you a lot of new information and I know that can be overwhelming.”

 

“Me? Oh, I’m fine,” Charlotte said, brushing off the other woman’s worries. “Jon’s the one we should be concerned about right now.”

 

“Well, yes, Jon may be in more physical danger, but you’re going through a lot too.”

 

“Yes, but I’m fine,” Charlotte insisted. “I’m just focused on Jon.”

 

Beth shook her head and chuckled softly. “You know, that’s who you sound like right now…Jonathan.”

 

“I do?”

 

“Absolutely,” Beth said, thinking fondly of the selfless young man who had gone through hell lately. “A few months back, Jordan was really hurt but I could tell Jon was going through a lot too, both mentally and emotionally, so I wanted to be there for him. And it was a real fight to get him to talk about himself because in that moment, he thought nothing was as important as Jordan, especially not his own emotions.”

 

“That does sound like Jon,” Charlotte admitted. She also couldn’t deny that she had gotten caught up in Beth’s story and was more than curious about what happened next. “So what did you do?”

 

“Well, it took some work, but I reminded Jon that his mental state really was just as important as what was going on with his brother. I also reminded him that in order to be the best brother possible to Jordan, he needed to have his own emotions in control.”

 

“Did that work?”

 

“Eventually it did, but any time the situation involves Jordan, things are always a little more complicated.”

 

“Yeah, I’m starting to get that,” Charlotte said with a smile. She couldn’t wait to see the brothers interact more…well, once Jon was better anyway. “So let me guess, you told me that story to convince me to talk about how I’m feeling.”

 

“You’re pretty smart,” Beth said, giving the girl a warm smile.

 

~~~~~

 

“Alright Jon, the first thing we want to do is make sure everything is all set up correctly so we can monitor everything that’s going on.”

 

Jon nodded, so Dave continued.

 

“I’m going to attach a few different wires and tubes to you right now, but it’s nothing to be concerned about. Just an IV, heart monitor things like that.”

 

The nervous patient nodded again, and Clark stepped closer to his son. He couldn’t do much, given the specialized Krypytonian forcefield that was surrounding Jon, but at the very least, Clark could talk to his son and remind him he wasn’t alone.

 

“You know, I’m thinking when we get back I should get you a special meal. I’ll go anywhere in the world, get you anything you want, just name it.”

 

“Anything at all?”

 

“Yep, anything.”

 

“The apple pie you make sounds good.”

 

Clark softened. “You mean the one I make using my mom’s recipe?”

 

“Yep.”

 

“But I said I would get you anything in the world.”

 

Jon shrugged, despite the wires he was now sporting. “If I could be anywhere in the world I would be home and Grandma’s apple pie would be on the table.”

 

Clark felt tears gather at the corner of his eyes. “Jonathan…that is–”

 

“The lamest thing you could have possibly said,” exclaimed Jordan with a comment that was not what his dad was going to say.

 

“Jordan!” Clark turned to glare at his other son, obviously not impressed with his attitude.

 

“I’m sorry, but come on, Grandma’s apple pie? You could have anything in the world. I think you could be a little more creative than that.”

 

“Guess I’m pretty boring then,” Jon said, smiling at his brother, not at all offended by the comment.

 

“Yep, totally lame.”

 

Clark rolled his eyes. “You could be a little kinder to your brother,” he chided gently.

 

“Now why would I do that,” Jordan said, obviously still joking. 

 

Clark gave up. The twins had always been that way– making each other laugh even when it didn’t make sense to anyone else. Jordan had always been able to read his brother like a book, so if he thought Jon needed to laugh, he probably did.

 

“Alright, I think we’re ready to go,” Dave said, hating to break up the lighthearted moment between the boys. “Clark and Jordan, I’ll have you wait in one of the back chambers.”

 

“Wait, why,” Jordan asked immediately, his joking attitude from before already forgotten.

 

“Jordan, your brother is about to have surgery,” Dave reminded him kindly. “You don’t want to see that.”

 

“But I don’t…I don’t want him to be alone,” Jordan admitted quietly. It was all so much easier when they were joking around. But now that the moment for the surgery had actually arrived, Jordan was having a hard time.

 

“He’s not going to be alone,” Dave said, placing a comforting hand on Jordan’s shoulder. “John Henry and I will be here the whole time. Besides, you guys will be close by, too.”

 

“It’s okay, Jor,” Jonathan said, turning to his brother. “You can wait in a different room. I don’t mind.” Truthfully, Jon was still a little nervous, but there was no way he wanted his dad or brother to watch. Just knowing they were at the Fortress was enough for Jon.

 

Jordan took a few steps closer. “I love you bro,” he whispered. “I’ll see you soon.”

 

~~~~~

 

“To be honest, Beth, I don’t even know where to begin,” Char said, giving a shrug.

 

“Let’s start with something simple. After everything that Lois told you, does it change how you feel about Jon?” Charlotte looked over at Beth with widened eyes. “It’s okay, you can tell the truth, anything you say will stay between us.”

 

Charlotte bit her lip. “Well, if I’m being honest…yes and no,” she admitted.

 

“Okay, let’s start with the easy one, why doesn’t it change anything between the two of you?”

 

“Because he’s still Jon,” Charlotte answered matter of factly. “I’ve known for a while now that he wasn’t sharing everything about himself with me, and it didn’t matter. And after hearing the truth…I know it would be logical to freak out, but honestly, all I can think about is when I can see him again, and making sure he’s okay.”

 

“Good, good,” Beth said, pleased that Jon’s girlfriend was willing to open up. “And now that you know the truth, what has changed for you?”

 

“What if I'm not good enough for him?”

 

Beth tilted her head in confusion. “What do you mean?”

 

“Jon comes from this amazing family. His mom is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, his dad and twin brother are literal superheroes with direct connections to another planet. I’m pretty sure that’s just the surface with the Kent family, but still, it’s all so amazing.” Charlotte looked up at Beth with tears in her eyes. “How could I possibly expect to fit in with a family so…super?”

 

~~~~~

 

After Jordan winced for the fifth time in two minutes, Clark realized it was time to step in. “Jordan, maybe you should stop listening in, it’s not going to do you any good.”

 

“Yes, it’s hard to listen to, but I have to know what’s going on in there,” replied Jordan, focusing his super hearing yet again.

 

Clark and Jon were hanging out in one of the other chambers, like Dave had suggested. Ironically, it was Jon who had suggested getting the couch they were now sitting on. Natalie had gone back to the Miller’s house, knowing she would be more comfortable waiting there. “You know that listening to a Kryptonian robot restructure your brother's muscles and bones is not actually going to help anything. You’re really just hurting yourself.”

 

Jordan glared at his father. “I don’t care. Jon doesn’t deserve any of this and I hate that he’s going through it.”

 

“Me too,” Clark agreed. “That’s my son in there. I’d take it on for him in a second if I could.”

 

“Same,” Jordan admitted softly. 

 

Knowing he wasn’t going to talk Jordan out of listening in on the surgery, Clark just pulled Jordan in for a side hug, wishing he could offer more support.

 

~~~~~

 

“Charlotte–”

 

“I’m not going to hold him back, Beth, I won’t,” Char insisted. “He has this amazing life, and I’m going to do my best to fit into it, but I’m just so worried they’re going to start talking about something Kryptonian and I’m going to be so lost. What if I don’t understand all the technology–”

 

“Hey, hey, hey,” Beth said, placing an arm around Charlotte’s shoulder. “That’s what has changed for you, that you don’t think you’ll fit in around here or understand the Kryptonian side of things?”

 

Char brushed away a few tears and nodded. 

 

“Oh, Charlotte, let me assure you, when it comes to the Kryptonian stuff, there is nothing to worry about. Clark is really good at explaining things and he loves answering questions about his home planet?”

 

“But what if I…what if I offend him? He is Superman.”

 

“Based on everything I’ve heard from you so far, I don’t think you could offend Clark if you tried. Besides, I think he will be more worried about you.”

 

“Worried about me,” Charlotte asked, gesturing to herself.

 

“Yep, he’s going to be worried all of this is too much for you or that you will be scared by his powers. Most likely, he’s going to ask you if there’s anything he can do to reassure you so that you’ll be comfortable around the family.”

 

“Why would he do that? I’m the outsider. It’s not his job to make me feel welcome.”

 

Beth squeezed the girl’s shoulder again. “Maybe not, but that’s the way Clark is. He will want to show you that besides the spaceships and the powers, really, the Kent’s are just a loving family. And given how much you love Jon, I think you’ll fit in just fine around here.”

 

“Really? You think so?”

 

Beth smiled again. “I know so.”

 

~~~~~

 

The hours passed by slowly and the text updates from Clark were far too infrequent for Charlotte’s liking. Eventually, the day shifted into evening and Beth made sandwiches for the women, knowing they all needed to eat. They were just finishing up when Lois announced that she had gotten a text from Clark. “He says he’ll be right over with some news.” Lois had barely finished her sentence when Clark whooshed into the kitchen. “Hey babe, how’s everything going?”

 

Clark took a few hesitant steps toward his wife and took her hand. “There’s been some complications.”

Chapter 55: After the Surgery

Summary:

Clark explains to Lois what happened after the surgery and what is going on with Jon.

Chapter Text

Lois’ eyes widened. “Complications? What do you mean?”

 

“Yeah, is he okay,” Charlotte asked, taking a few steps closer to their newest visitor. 

 

Even though Beth said that Clark usually acted relatively normal, he was still Superman, and Charlotte had spent a good chunk of the afternoon trying to figure out what she would say the next time she saw him. After all, it wasn’t every day a girl realized that her boyfriend’s father was the world’s most famous superhero.

 

But now that the moment had actually arrived…Beth was right. It was easy to put Clark’s alter ego aside because Jon was her number one concern.

 

“Well, first of all, I know the experimental technology worried everyone, but Dave and John Henry did a great job programming the robots. Jon's arm was a big concern when we left here. I can confirm that both breaks in his arm have been reset and should heal nicely.”

 

“Okay, so what was the complication,” Lois asked. As nice as it was to hear the good news, she was more worried about whatever bad news Clark had to tell them.

 

She hadn’t let go of Clark’s hand so he gave it a quick squeeze before answering. “It’s his leg.”

 

“His leg,” Lois and Charlotte asked at the same time.

 

“Yep,” Clark confirmed. “Dave will be able to explain better about what exactly happened, but basically, his leg was a lot more messed up than we thought. And it’s going to affect his ability to walk.”

 

“What does that mean, Clark?”

 

“Basically, it was more than just bones in his leg being broken, there was a lot of muscle damage too, more than we assumed. Dave thinks he should be able to walk again eventually, but we’re looking at a very long road in front of us, possibly even another surgery or two.”

 

“How’s Jon handling things? Does he know what’s going on,” Natalie asked from her spot next to Melissa. She had been very worried about her brother and Clark’s update wasn’t exactly good news.

 

“He’s okay. Dave was honest with him so he knows everything." Clark shrugged. "As usual, Jon's been kind of a closed book about how he's really feeling, but I think he’s still trying to process everything. Jordan’s with him now.”

 

“Take me to him,” Lois said, grabbing the front of Clark’s shirt, desperate to get to her son. Even though it was logical at the time, it had been hell staying behind at the house while Jon was in surgery. “I have to be there.”

 

“Of course, babe,” Clark said, running his hand comfortingly through her dark hair.

 

Clark turned to the other women in the room. “As for everyone else, John Henry is working on creating a stretcher we can use to bring Jon back, which will hopefully keep us from jostling the casts too much. He should be done within the hour and once Dave thinks Jon is in good enough shape, we’ll bring him back here so you can all see him.”

 

“Thanks for the update, Clark. I’ll have some food ready when you guys get back. I’m sure everyone is hungry.”

 

Clark smiled. “Thanks, Beth, that would be great.” It had been a very, very long day, but he was so thankful to have such good friends.

 

Realizing Jon’s girlfriend hadn’t said anything for a while, Clark decided it might be good to check in with her before he took off again.

 

Lois had admitted in a text to Clark that she told Charlotte the family secret, since given the way they all flew off, she didn’t have much choice. Clark then passed that information onto the boys, who were a little nervous to come back and face Charlotte.

 

But Clark knew that a big part of moving forward was including Charlotte in the discussions and addressing any questions she had. “Anything I can do for you before I leave, Charlotte,” Clark asked, giving the young woman a kind smile.

 

“Umm, I guess, if it’s not too much trouble, I have a few questions.”

 

“Of course, I’ll tell you anything you want to know.” He had been expecting this.

 

“Is Jon in any pain?”

 

Clark’s eyes widened; that was not what he expected Charlotte’s first question to be. But considering the imploring look she gave him, Clark knew it was important to give her a real answer.  “Right now Dave’s got him on some good pain medication, so he’s a little drowsy, but not in any pain.”

 

“Good,” Char said, visibly relaxing. “And you said that Jordan’s with him?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“So does that mean…that he’s comfortable, you know, not scared or anything. ‘Cause I know all the medical stuff freaks him out and I just wanted to make sure that he’s…you know, that he’s okay.”

 

Clark softened. Lois was right when she said the girl had taken the news well. 

 

Charlotte could have had tons of questions about Superman or Krypton, which would have been completely understandable. But apparently, all she wanted to know was if Jon was okay.

 

“He’s doing just fine,” Clark reassured her. “Having Jordan there helps, but I know his biggest worry was the surgeries themselves, and because that part is over, he’s definitely a lot calmer.”

 

She nodded. “Okay, thank you. That’s it. You guys can go see him now.” Charlotte turned away, knowing they wanted to get back to Jon. She couldn’t blame them.

 

“Would you…like to come with us?”

 

Charlotte’s head snapped up. “Wait, are you serious, come…with you…to see Jon. You know, at the Kryptonian place?”

 

Clark winced a little at hearing Jon’s girlfriend, who they had recently met, say the word ‘Kryptonian’, but clearly, Clark reminded himself, she wasn’t just some girl to Jonathan and he would have to get used to someone else being aware of the big family secret.

 

“If you’re comfortable with it,” Clark replied. “I can see how worried you are about Jon and I don’t think it’s fair to make you stay behind.”

 

“Is it okay, Lois,” Charlotte asked, not wanting to step on anyone’s toes. “Can I go with you?”

 

Lois had realized earlier in the day just how special this girl was. So she smiled, and gave the only answer that made sense.

 

“Of course you can.”

 

~~~~~

 

Dave was working on his computer several feet away and John Henry was fashioning the stretcher they could use to safely bring Jon back to the Miller’s, leaving Jordan practically alone with his twin.

 

And after being insanely worried about Jon for the past several hours and having to be away from him during the surgery, there was nothing that Jordan wanted more than to be close to his brother.

 

Which he was.

 

Now that the operation was done, John Henry removed the forcefield, so Jordan was able to hold his brother’s hand and sit on a chair pulled right up to the table Jon was still laying on.

 

A big part of Jordan wanted to remind Jon just how much he loved him and how thankful he was to see his twin out of surgery.

 

But knowing his brother as well as he did, Jordan knew that wasn’t what Jon needed most. 

 

Holding Jon’s hand was enough to show how much he meant to Jordan. Apart from that, what Jon needed, more than anything, was to be distracted.

 

“Okay, Jon, I need your advice about something.”

 

“Shoot,” Jon answered sleepily.

 

“I think I want to lose the cape on my Suberboy suit, but I gotta find a way to tell Dad without him freaking out or getting offended,” Jordan said. 

 

Obviously, debating having a cape on his suit was one of the least important things going on in their lives, but it would be a good way to distract Jon from the surgeries he had been through and his uncertain future.

 

“Why don’t you want the cape,” Jon asked, doing his best to stay awake. Dave had said it was okay if he rested for a little while, but Jon wasn’t quite ready to be away from Jordan just yet.

 

“I don't know,” Jordan answered with a shrug. “I guess maybe I’m tired of looking exactly like Dad. And if I didn’t have the cape maybe it would help me have my own identity. Besides, I always thought it looked stupid.”

 

Jon smiled. “Me too.”

 

“So what do you think, should I go for it? You think Dad would be pissed?”

 

“Naw, I think…I think he’d be understanding,” Jon said, fluttering his eyelashes a bit. He really wanted to stay awake, but the pain medication was making him pretty groggy.

 

“I hope so,” Jordan said, sighing dramatically. He wasn’t actually as worried about the cape as he was pretending. Mostly, it was just an excuse to talk to Jon about something trivial.

 

He cocked his head, hearing a familiar sound. “Speaking of Dad, it sounds like he’s on his way back right now.”

 

“Then you can ask him about the cape,” Jon suggested. He understood what Jordan had been trying to do and was appreciative of his brother’s efforts.

 

“Or I’ll chicken out and ask him a different day,” said Jordan, a mischievous smile on his face.

 

Before Jon could think of a retort, Clark landed at the front entryway. But, it was Lois who they heard first.

 

Jon knew he shouldn’t have been surprised that Clark had brought Lois; she tended to be kind of a worry wart. But as family oriented as they tried to make the Fortress, it was always a little surprising when Lois showed up.

 

“Jonathan,” she exclaimed, rushing towards her son. Lois didn’t have any intention of pushing Jordan out of the way, but instead squeezed between the two boys. “How are you doing, sweetie,” she asked, running her hands through Jon's messy curls.

 

“I’m okay. You didn’t have to come,” he murmured, still drowsy from the medication.

 

“Of course I did. You are my son and I love you. Are you sure you’re okay?”

 

“I’m fine, Mom. You can stop worrying.”

 

Lois planted a soft kiss on Jonathan’s forehead. “Honey, I’m going to worry about you for the rest of your life and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

 

“That’s fine I guess,” Jon answered, giving her a sleepy smile. Being a guy he naturally felt like he had to act like he didn’t need Lois to be there, but the truth was that he was actually really happy to have his mom around, which is why he didn’t fight her too hard.

 

Lois smiled. “Yeah, that’s what I thought, tough guy. Hey listen, I know you’re tired, but your dad brought another person who really wanted to come see you.”

 

Jon furrowed his brows. Dave had said they would be returning to the house within an hour, so Jon just expected that he would see everyone else then.

 

Out of the corner of his eye, Jon saw his dad walking towards the table. Clark was in front so Jon couldn’t quite see who has dad had brought with him until they were practically right next to the table.

 

Really, Jon should have expected it. But everything happened so fast that Jon didn’t think that this particular person would be so anxious to see him at the Fortress.

 

He turned to her with wide eyes and simply said, “Charlotte?”

Chapter 56: I'll Be Here

Summary:

After Jon's surgery, he realizes there is a world where he can be honest with Charlotte and they can move forward together.

Chapter Text

“Hey Jon,” Charlotte answered softly. There wasn’t much room by Jordan and Lois so she went around the table and gently placed a hand on Jon’s arm. Yes, it was in a cast, but she knew how to be careful.  Besides, she wasn’t going to let anything stop her from getting to Jon.

 

“What…what are you doing here?” Seeing Charlotte at the Fortress had definitely surprised him, but he still had to fight hard against the pain meds to stay awake.

 

“Your dad asked if I wanted to come and see you and of course I said yes.”

 

“But…all this…doesn’t freak you out?”

 

“The only thing that matters to me is seeing that you are alright.” She moved her hand until her fingers were interlocked with his. “That’s all I care about.”

 

Her words were too good to be true. So Jon had to be sure.

 

“Even though we’re in an ice palace and I just had robots operate on me?”

 

Without hesitation Charlotte answered, “As long as the robots bring you back to me safe and sound, I don’t have any issues.”

 

Jon was still a little out of it, but the passion in Charlotte’s tone proved that she was genuine. A sleepy smile filled Jon’s face. He had been so worried that she wouldn’t accept him or that she would be freaked out by his family.

 

But Charlotte was at the Fortress and she didn’t look at all worried about any of the machines or any of the alien technology that was there: it was better than anything he could have hoped for.

 

“Babe…you’re the best,” said Jon, fluttering his eyes.

 

Charlotte blushed. Even at his worst, her boyfriend still knew just how to get right to her heart.  

She squeezed his hand. “Jon, why don’t you get some sleep. You’ve been through a lot today and you’re obviously tired.”

 

“But…I wanna stay with you.”

 

Charlotte gazed down lovingly at the brave man in front of her. “I’m not going anywhere, babe.” She kissed him again. “Sleep.”

 

Jon nodded and let his eyes close.

 

Charlotte leaned over and planted one more soft kiss on Jon’s forehead. She had meant what she said, she honestly wasn’t bothered by everything she had learned, she just wanted Jon to be okay.

 

As she looked down at her now sleeping boyfriend, Charlotte could only hope that things would finally turn around for him.

 

~~~~~

 

Pain.

 

It was the first word that clearly formed in Jon’s mind.

 

He wasn’t quite sure where he was, what time it was, or where his family was at…but he was in pain. That much was clear.

 

When he managed to open his eyes, it quickly became obvious that he was at the Fortress. Jon wracked his brain trying to remember what had happened. He was at the Fortress because…he had gone through surgery. That was it!

 

After the football game, there was a car accident…and he had to have surgery. Yes, that’s what had happened. And he was at the Fortress…because he couldn’t go to a regular hospital, which meant that Dave was probably around somewhere. Chances were most of his family was there as well.

 

And Charlotte…had been at the Fortress too, Jon remembered. And despite the crazy situation…she hadn't been freaked out.

 

Jon smiled. He was so lucky to have her in his life. Maybe it was time to tell her that before–

 

Where was she?

 

Jon turned his head back and forth. No Charlotte. She had been there, right? It hadn’t been a dream…

 

“Char,” he called out, desperately hoping that she hadn’t changed her mind. Getting no response, Jon knew he would have to do some investigating himself.

 

He awkwardly pushed up to a sitting position, so he could get a better look at the room.

 

No Charlotte.

 

Maybe if he looked around he would be able to–

 

“Jon! You’re awake.”

 

He turned to see Dave rushing towards him. “Don’t move just yet, son, let me help you.”

 

“Charlotte,” Jon said simply, making his intentions perfectly clear.

 

“Yes, that’s right, Charlotte was here,” Dave said, surprised to see that Jon had managed to pull himself to a sitting position. “Are you disoriented at all?”

 

“Not really,” Jon said, barely considering the question. “Where’s Charlotte?”

 

“She’s fine. Why don’t I help you lay back down and I can check to see how your vitals are doing.”

 

Jon put his hand up. “No, not until I see Charlotte.”

 

Dave recognized the terror in Jon’s face, which meant that there was something a little deeper going on.

 

“Hey, bud, talk to me. I told you Charlotte is fine, why are you panicking?”

 

“I just need to see her, okay?”

 

“Because…”

 

“Because if I see her then I’ll know for sure that…that she didn’t get freaked out by all this.”

 

“That’s what you were worried about,” Dave asked incredulously. “Jonathan, I promise, you can relax. Charlotte is at my house right now with the others.”

 

Jon brightened. “Really? She is?”

 

“Yep. She wanted to stay here but…”

 

“But what,” prompted Jon.

 

“I’m not supposed to tell you.”

 

“You know, keeping secrets is not a good way to get me to calm down.”

 

Dave sighed. Jon was really smitten with this girl. “The only reason I’m not supposed to tell you what’s going on is because she has a surprise for you.”

 

“A surprise? For me, really?”

 

“Yep. And don’t make me tell you what it is, because I promised her I wouldn’t. But I know you’ll love it,” Dave explained, doing his best to reassure the boy.

 

“Great, let’s go there now!”

 

“Easy tiger, first I want to make sure you can handle traveling, and  given your condition that’s not something I want to rush.”

 

Jon’s shoulders slumped. He should have known that Dave would be protective. “Okay, well then what do we have to do so we can leave?”

 

Dave smiled. Jon may have been nervous about the surgery, but now that it was over, clearly, the only thing he cared about now was being with his girlfriend.

 

After everything the boy had been through, there was no way Dave was going to deny him the one thing that would actually motivate Jon.

 

~~~~~

 

It took a little while for Dave to feel comfortable letting Jon leave the Fortress. He obviously trusted the stretcher that John Henry had created but after such a major operation, there was no need to rush things.

 

Jon, of course, was beyond anxious to get home and was willing to do whatever Dave asked. He was pretty sure that Jon was lying about how he actually felt, but he would still be able to keep an eye on him, so he wasn’t too worried about that.

 

The big concern was Clark flying Jon home. The Fortress was quite a distance from Dave’s house and he didn’t want Clark to fly as fast as he usually did because he didn’t want any of Jon’s injuries to get jostled.

 

Thankfully, Clark was just as concerned about Jon and wanted to keep him safe as well.

 

Though it ended up being a little challenging, and rather time consuming, they got Jon, and everyone else home safely.

 

Clark had just carried him into the infirmary style room at Dave’s house when Jon got his second surprise of the day.

 

“Welcome home!”

 

Dave helped Jon sit up on the stetcher so he could see the festivities waiting for him. The whole room had been decked out with streamers and balloons, conveniently in the colors of the football team that Jon coached for. He assumed that Charlotte’s knowledge was especially helpful with that particular piece.

 

There was also a big banner that said ‘Get Well Soon Jonathan.’ All around the edges of the banner were handwritten personal messages from the friends and family gathered in the room. In addition there were big bunches of his favorite candy and treats. Jon suspected his brother had stepped in there, considering Jordan had long believed that a snickers bar could solve most problems.

 

As Jon looked around the room, appreciative of the kind gesture of those closest to him, there was one thing that stood out. Right next to his hospital bed, another bed had been set up. But this particular bed had a large pink pillow and a matching fluffy blanket. At the base of the bed: Charlotte’s duffle bag.

 

Jon turned to her. He had a guess about what those objects meant, but he needed confirmation. With a big smile on her face, Charlotte walked toward Jon. “I hope you don’t mind, but I thought you could use a roommate while you recover.”

 

He returned the smile. “That might be the best news I’ve heard all day.”

 

~~~~~

 

They all took it pretty easy the rest of the day. Clark and Dave made sure Jon was settled back into his bed. Beth prepared a nice supper for them all, and a basic, but savory soup for Jon.

 

He was pretty tired out, but just having his family around him was meaningful enough.

 

 Charlotte of course, didn’t leave his side the rest of the evening, which meant more to Jon than he could say. 

 

Since he was no longer in critical condition, everyone else would be staying either at the homes or in the living room, with the goal of spending most of Sunday at the Miller’s house to be with Jon. Even Jordan had agreed to stay in the living room, which surprised many people.

 

When Jon asked him if he was really okay with it, Jordan had simply replied, “I can be there in two seconds if there is something wrong and I know Charlotte will watch out for him.”

 

It was a big step for the normally anxious twin and Lois and Clark were pleased to see Jordan handling the situation so well.

 

Before long, it was later evening, and everyone had either left, or was camped out in the living room, leaving Jon and Charlotte to finally have some time to themselves.

 

Natalie was the last one out of the room, giving Jon a quick peck on the cheek before she left. When they were alone, Charlotte turned toward Jonathan. “So I know I’ve been with you most of the day…but I kind of feel like I haven’t seen you at all. Is that stupid?”

 

“Not at all. I kind of feel the same way. Today has been so crazy…much more than I would have expected,” he said, his voice trailing off a little as he realized just how taxing the day has been.

 

“You know, Jon,” Charlotte began, almost shyly, as she took her boyfriend’s hand. “Since we haven’t been alone until now…we haven’t really talked about the elephant in the room. You know, everything your mom told me.” She had taken his hand because she wanted him to know that she really was okay with everything, but that they definitely needed to talk about it.

 

Jon sighed. “Yeah, I was thinking about that too. What do you want to know?”

 

“I guess…what was it like finding out your dad was Superman and what’s it like now as an adult,” Charlotte asked, starting with what was hopefully an easier question.

 

“Wow, you’re just going for it, huh?” Jon said with a small chuckle. “I guess as a teenager I was completely shocked. I always saw my dad as kind of nerdy and lame, so the idea that he was Superman kind of came out of left field. But once I got over the initial surprise it made a lot of sense considering how much he had been gone when we were growing up and the way he never liked to talk about himself.”

 

“And now?”

 

“Now it’s normal, if you can believe that. He’s just…my dad. And everything that comes along with his heritage is just…part of our family.”

 

Charlotte considered for a moment. “I bet it can be a lot to deal with sometimes, though.”

 

Jon shrugged. “It can be. You know, it made me grow up a little faster I think, and I’m more aware of world problems and some of the bad people out there. But as crazy as it is, honestly I’ve just gotten used to it.”

 

Char nodded. She expected Jon to take the high road and not complain, even though she was sure there were plenty of things he could have complained about if he wanted to.

 

“Another thing I was wondering…your mom didn’t really touch on this too much…how your dad’s…genetics, I guess, affect you.”

 

Jon sighed. He had known this one was coming. “Near as we can tell, mine and Jordan’s DNA works the same way as regular humans. I got my dad’s green eyes, Jordan got my mom’s stature. And her temper if we’re being honest,” he added as an afterthought. “But in terms of my dad’s powers, Jordan is exactly like him, and I don’t have any of his powers.”

 

Charlotte nodded. “Your mom mentioned something. She said you had a few different…quirks?”

 

“It’s mostly in my biology, like some differences with the makeup of my blood and organs, stuff like that. It’s kind of boring and complicated, actually, but it’s enough that if I went to a regular hospital it would definitely raise some flags. Then there’s also the enhanced physicality, that would probably freak out any health care worker.”

 

“Enhanced physicality? I thought you said you didn’t have any powers?”

 

“Well, they’re not powers exactly,” Jon said, stroking his girlfriend’s hand. It was amazing how much the simple gesture relaxed him. “I heal a little faster than most people, especially in direct sunlight, that’s a big one. Other than that, my brain functions a little higher than most people and I’m a tiny bit stronger and faster than a lot of people without really trying. So they’re not powers exactly, more like…enhancements.”

 

“Wow, I feel dumb saying this, but I guess I’ve never really noticed that,” Charlotte said, enjoying the feel of Jon’s hand in hers.

 

“You’re okay,” Jon said, giving her hand a quick squeeze. I don’t usually play up that stuff, gotta blend in and all of that.”

 

“And you’re okay with…being different,” Charlotte asked, though there was no judgment in her voice.

 

“Most of the time, yes,” he admitted. “But on days like this, it’s pretty hard. It would have been nice to have been able to have just gone to the hospital and get everything taken care of there. But obviously I couldn’t do that so we had to…improvise,” he said with a shrug.

 

“Thank you so much for sharing all this with me,” Charlotte said, moving her other hand up to Jon’s messy curls. She began running her fingers through his hair, an action that was comforting to both of them.

 

“I always wanted you to be a part of this,” Jon said, his eyelashes fluttering slightly. “I just didn’t know how you would react.”

 

“I’ll tell you before and I’ll say it again. I’m not going anywhere.” She kissed him softly on the cheek. “Sleep, my love. Everything will be alright.”

 

And because for the first time, Jon actually believed it, he closed his eyes, nestled into Charlotte’s shoulder. He drifted off to sleep, safe in her arms, dreaming of a better tomorrow.

Chapter 57: Struggles and Concerns

Summary:

When Charlotte senses Jon is struggling with rehab, she asks for help from the best person for the job.

Notes:

Hey all, sorry about the long wait! I started a new job and it's been challenging balancing that with writing, but I think I'm starting to get it figured out, so hopefully updates can come a little more often :)

Thanks to everyone for being so patient with me and for being fans of this story. It means the world and I still have so much left to tell.

So as a consolation for it being a while since my last update, I made this chapter nice and long :)

Enjoy!

Chapter Text

“Come on, Jon, you gotta give it some effort,” John Henry instructed.

 

Jon huffed. “I have been giving it some effort,” he retorted, glaring at the family friend. “We’ve been at this for like three hours now.”

 

“It’s been twenty five minutes,” John Henry countered, rolling his eyes. He had only been helping Jon with his physical therapy for a few days, but every session had proved to be a challenge so far.

 

Jon had never struggled with anything physical in his life. Sports, running, and everything in between always came easy to him. Part of it had to do with good genetics from his dad, and a bigger part was just Jonathan himself and his natural athletic abilities.

 

At least, that's the way it had been.

 

Now, after the accident, things were a little different. Every movement required immense effort and the use of his whole body, since he was basically retraining himself even on the most basic movements.

 

Thanks to his half Kryptonian biology, Jon was making progress–well, John Henry insisted he was. But for Jonathan, it felt slow, tedious, and it was hard to notice any major improvements.

 

Which didn’t help his motivation.

 

“Come on, Jon, just like we’ve been practicing, nice and easy.”

 

Jon glared once again at the family friend and tried raising his leg one more time. But just like before, he didn’t get very far, only a couple of inches in the air. He was sitting on the edge of the bed, with a simple task in front of him: to raise his leg.

 

The point, obviously, was to gain some strength back in that injured leg, with the eventual goal of walking again.

 

But even though Dave and John Henry were very confident that it wouldn’t take Jon long to be able to walk again, for the young Kent, walking and getting back to normal felt like years away.

 

Normal … Jon thought absently. What even was normal these days?

 

He had taken the job at Richardson High School to get away from all the craziness of his family. All he wanted was to teach and coach football like a normal person. But so much of the season had been plagued by family stuff that it was hard to even remember what it was like just a month ago when he had taken over as head coach.

 

How was that only a month ago? It felt like a lifetime.

 

“Good, Jon, that’s good,” his friend said, pulling him out of his mental self pity. “Now bring it down nice and easy…good. Okay up one more time.”

 

Jon gritted his teeth. This should not be so difficult. He used to play quarterback for crying out loud. Hell, when he first took over as head coach he could run across the field as fast as any of his players and now…now he was basically useless.

 

He had called the principal, Kyle Sawyer, on Sunday to briefly explain his injuries and that he had been through surgery. Kyle, of course, was beyond understanding, encouraging Jon to take all the time he needed, and that one of the assistants would take over until he was well enough to return to school.

 

Jon had assumed that’s what Kyle would say, and it made sense, but it still stung. 

 

That was his team. And he should be the one leading them through practices this week, not one of the other coaches. But Kyle had insisted that Jon not worry about anything football related while he was recovering–it would all be taken care of. 

 

Meanwhile, Jon was stuck at Dave’s house doing pointless exercises with no end in sight.

 

He completed a few more leg raises, then they moved onto an arm workout.

 

More torture.

 

Jon never would have guessed that out of the million things John Henry was good at, that he also had a physical therapy license. What kind of a person was a soldier, an electrical engineer genius, a superhero, and a physical therapist?

 

Apparently John Henry Irons, total badass.

 

At least that’s what everyone else was saying. Jon preferred John Henry Irons: drill sergeant and total pain in the butt.

 

Okay, if he was being honest, he knew John Henry wasn’t trying to be a jerk. They needed to get Jon healthy and gain his strength back. The only way to do that: exercises to build back the repaired muscles.

 

Since he had broken his wrist freshmen year of high school, Jon knew just how grueling the physical therapy could be. But what he had gone through then was nothing compared to the intense rehab he was doing now.

 

Logically, he knew there was no reason to hate John Henry. If anything, he should be thankful that his friend actually had the skills that he did. Even though Jon had a long road ahead, Dave had assured him that he would heal faster than a normal person with his injuries, which meant that a regular physical therapist was bound to grow suspicious of his quick healing.

 

Although at this point, it didn’t feel like there was anything quick about the progress he was making.

 

Fifteen minutes later, John Henry helped Jon lie back on the bed and gave the young Kent his space. He understood that Jon was struggling with the slow recovery, even though he was actually doing really well. But his injuries were severe, and getting better would take time.

 

“Do you need anything else, Jonathan,” Mr. Irons asked as soon as Jon was settled.

 

“I don’t need anything from you,” Jon snarled, glancing the other way.

 

Did he need anything else? Was the guy serious? Jon needed to get out of the damn bed and back to his real life. A life that consisted of football, teaching and his gorgeous girlfriend that went home two days ago.

 

“Well, alright…I’ll leave you be then. I will see you tonight for the evening workout.”

 

“Don’t remind me.”

 

John Henry looked as if he had been slapped, as if the young Kent’s harsh words affected him more than he wanted to let on. The moment John Henry left the room, Jon realized how much of an idiot he had been. It wasn’t the other man’s fault–in fact, he had done more than most friends would and Jon had treated him like crap.

 

He couldn’t move a whole lot, so Jon smacked his head on the pillow a few times. It felt good for some odd reason, probably because he couldn’t do anything else. 

 

At first when John Henry had started working with him, Jon had been optimistic. After all, doing a few exercises was easy enough. But then things started changing.

 

The first problem was that people had started going home, first Nat, then Jordan and Melissa, then his parents, and finally, Charlotte had also left. Jon didn’t begrudge them, he knew they all had lives to get back to, it just made the days a little more lonely.

 

Then he had gotten the call from Kyle asking how he was doing. And even though Jon tried to act tough in front of his boss and insist that he would be fine in no time, the minute he said the words ‘I had surgery’ it was like the principal didn’t hear anything else. After that all he wanted was for Jon to get better and not worry about school or football.

 

He even promised to have one of the other science teachers create Jon’s lesson plans for the substitute teacher taking his class for the next few weeks, rendering Jon completely and totally useless.

 

And then, to make matters worse, when they thought Jon was asleep and not listening, he overheard Dave and John Henry talk about the possibility of another surgery.

 

So when he had heard that, Jon felt utterly, and completely defeated. Would he ever get back to normal life?

 

Though everyone around him seemed to have a positive outlook, Jon was having a hard time with it. So should he have been rude to John Henry? No, definitely not. But he just couldn’t be as optimistic as the rest of his family and friends.

 

~~~~~

 

The rest of the week continued in much of the same manner: John Henry guiding physical therapy sessions three times a day, checkups from Dave at least once a day, sometimes twice, a few X- Ray scans at the Fortress to see how his bones were healing, calls from work and Charlotte, and hours and hours of crappy daytime TV.

 

Everyone around him thought that it was important for him to rest and get healthy, but every day he felt himself growing more and more irritated and just fed up with the whole situation.

 

Things took a turn for the worst again when Jon found out Charlotte wouldn’t be able to come up and visit that weekend. Jon had been looking forward to her visit all week. In fact, it was one of the only things that really kept him going.

 

But she phoned on Friday night, saying that she had a few big cases from the foster care service where she worked and that she wouldn’t be able to get away. 

 

Jon wasn’t angry at her–he couldn’t be. If anything, he was proud of his girlfriend for working so hard and for being so devoted to such an important job. She still made time to call or facetime him every day and those interactions were always a treat for Jon.

 

He couldn’t wait to hear about how the cases were going, if they had been able to help the kids, things like that. Char got so passionate about her work that listening to her talk about it often put Jon in a better mood.

 

But as understanding as he was, Jonathan still missed his girlfriend. He missed holding her and kissing her. He missed the sweet smell of her hair and the feel of her hand in his. But above all, he just missed being with Charlotte.

 

As much as he missed her, there was no way Jon was going to keep her from her job or make her feel guilty for being away from him when she had so many important cases to deal with. Instead, Jon had assured her that he was fine and that she should focus on work.

 

But internally, it was just one more defeat that Jon did not need.

 

~~~~~

 

Charlotte was sitting at her desk, trying to get some paperwork finished up for one of the new foster placements they were trying to get in order. The problem was, she was unable to focus on the work or get anything done.

 

Which was rare.

 

Usually she was very efficient, especially when the foster care service was busy. But most of the week, and especially on that Friday, she couldn’t seem to get anything done.

 

Charlotte knew what the problem was, of course: she was worried about Jon, which was clouding her mind and keeping her from being able to focus on anything else.

 

They had talked every day, and Jon had always insisted that he was fine…but Charlotte couldn’t shake the feeling that something was off with him. And when she had to tell him that she couldn’t come this weekend, Charlotte definitely seen the reaction, since they were on a facetime.

 

He tried to mask how upset he was, but after the accident, Char was more tuned into her boyfriend than ever. And her gut was telling her that Jon was much more disappointed than he was letting on…which of course worried her.

 

And when Charlotte was worried about Jon…that was the only thing she worried about. After sitting at her desk for fifteen minutes straight without typing a single word, Charlotte knew what she had to do. She grabbed her phone and dialed a number that she had been given, but hadn’t anticipated using.

 

A few seconds later the kind voice answered. “Dr. Beth Miller.”

 

“Hi Beth, it’s Charlotte. How are you today?”

 

“Oh, I’m fine, happy that it’s a Friday. How about yourself?”

 

“I’m good. Listen, Beth, I’m sorry to bother you but I just had a quick question if that was alright,” Charlotte asked, feeling bad for bothering the other woman at work.

 

“Of course, anything you need.”

 

Charlotte grabbed a pen and began fiddling with it. “Well, I know you’ve been working all week, but when you’ve gotten home in the evening…I guess I just wondered if you spent much time with Jon,” she asked, starting with a pretty vague question.

 

Beth realized immediately that they were about to get into something a little bit deeper. But first, she answered the question she was asked. “Well, I try to eat with him and Dave, sometimes John Henry joins us if he’s around. After that they usually have one more rehab session and by then Jon is pretty tired. I see him in the morning a little before I go to work as well, but to be honest, I haven’t spent a significant amount of time with him in the past week.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Is there a particular reason for your question?”

 

“Well, not really…”

 

“Charlotte, I know we don’t know each other well, but if you have any concerns, especially if it’s about Jon, you can always talk to me about it. I’m happy to do anything I can to help.”

 

The girl’s jaw dropped, even over the phone, Beth had basically figured out the question that she really wanted to ask. Of course, it wasn’t surprising, considering Char had asked about Jon to begin with, but still, Beth could apparently tell that it wasn’t a social call.

 

“Okay, well, this might sound weird, but I guess I’m just worried about Jon.”

 

“That doesn’t sound weird at all,” Beth said, immediately taking Charlotte’s concerns seriously. “What are you worried about?”

 

“It’s hard to explain, but every time we’ve talked this week he’s just seemed…I don’t know, sad I guess? And when I try to talk with him about being sad he immediately perks up and tells me not to worry. Then, he spends whatever time we have left on the call or facetime acting extra happy or interested in what I’m talking about.”

 

“Like he’s overcompensating?”

 

“Yeah, exactly.”

 

Beth nodded to herself. “Yeah, that sounds like Jon,” she murmured. “He wouldn’t want you worrying about him.”

 

“Do you think I’m just making a big deal out of nothing?”

 

“No,” Beth said instantly. “Jon is kind of a pro at hiding his feelings and I’ve learned that if he seems to be trying really hard or acting perfect, usually there is something much deeper going on.” Beth thought of all the times when Jon had been in college that he had stopped by for a quick visit, or a checkup from Dave and after spending only a couple of minutes with Jon she could always tell when he was covering for something.

 

Jon had this habit of putting everyone and everything above his own needs and happiness and it often took several sessions to convince Jon that he needed to fight for himself. Then things would be good again, and he would visit, and Beth could tell he was genuinely happy. But then his parents asked something of him that was too big, or Jordan needed something, and Jon had to put his own needs aside.

 

On and on the cycle went.

 

And his family wasn’t callous about it, they were very aware of Jon’s selfless tendencies and did their best not to ask too much from him. But Jon was a master of masking his own feelings and it was often hard to get a read on how he was actually feeling about any given situation.

 

It was that particular quality that had Beth so concerned when Jon had kept his distance the past few years.

 

She would call or text him occasionally, making sure that he was okay, which, of course, Jon always said that he was. And apart from that, Beth couldn’t do anything about it–she couldn’t make Jon talk to her or come to a counseling session. All she could do was remind him that she was there for him and that he could always talk to her if something was wrong.

 

Which of course he always claimed that there wasn’t.

 

That’s why Beth was so glad to hear about Charlotte and that Jon was serious about her. So serious in fact that he wanted to tell her the big family secret. It was a big step in his life and Beth was glad that Jon was finally confiding in her.

 

But then the horrible accident had happened and  now Jon was facing some major setbacks. Apparently more than she had even realized.

 

“You think something deeper is going on,” Charlotte asked, pulling Beth from her memories. The concern in the young woman’s voice was obvious and Beth found herself grateful once again that Jon was dating someone so caring.

 

“I definitely do. Is there anything else you can tell me, anything you’ve noticed, even if it seems insignificant?”

 

“Not much, just that he seems to really enjoy talking to me whenever I call, and sometimes it’s like he’s trying to make the conversation last longer. That probably sounds dumb.”

 

“No, not at all.” Internally, Beth began to put the pieces of the puzzle together. Charlotte thought Jon seemed sad, but when she voiced concern, he acted happy, as if he didn’t want her to notice. And apparently Jon was also trying to extend their phone calls.

 

Beth understood why Char would think that particular piece wasn’t a big deal, but the difference was that Beth knew Jon’s history. And if history told her anything, there was a good chance that Jon was trying to talk to Charlotte longer because he didn’t want to face the rest of the day without her.

 

And if Jon was having trouble being without Charlotte, a couple things were happening. First, Jon and Charlotte were very close and he trusted her, which was good. Second, Jon was most likely going through something pretty major if he was struggling to be away from his girlfriend.

 

And given everything that happened with the accident and his surgery, it wasn’t surprising.

 

“Is there anything else you can tell me?”

 

Charlotte was silent for a moment. “There’s one more thing. I called Jon this morning to tell him that I wouldn’t be able to visit this weekend because I was really slammed at work. We were on facetime, so I could actually see his reaction when I told him.”

 

“And what was his reaction,” Beth asked, sensing that it was important.

 

“Well, he recovered quickly, but for a second it was like his whole world fell apart and he was super disappointed, like it was a really big deal that I wasn’t coming up to see him. Sorry, that sounds super egotistical.”

 

“No, it really doesn’t,” Beth said, quick to assure the other woman. “I can tell Jon really loves you, so I’m sure it was important to you to come see him.”

 

“That’s what I thought,” Char murmured.

 

“Let me clarify. I’m sure as much as Jon wants to see you, he knows that your work is important and would want you to focus on that. So don’t feel guilty, okay, it’s good for you to be committed to your job.”

 

“But Jon…”

 

“Is going to be fine,” reassured Beth. “I’ll see to it myself.”

 

“You will?”

 

“Definitely, as soon as I get home, I’ll talk to him and find out what’s going on.”

 

Charlotte paused again. “No offense, but if there’s really a problem, he’s probably not going to talk to you about it.” Char knew that Beth was a family friend and a counselor. And it was clear that she knew the Kent’s and Jon pretty well.

 

But Char also knew how closed off Jon could be about his emotions. So there was no way that Jon would actually want to talk to her.

 

“I’m sure you mean well,” Charlotte added. “I’m just not sure how open he’s going to be.

 

Beth reflected for a moment.

 

It was clear that Charlotte had no idea that Beth was not just a family friend, but Jon’s therapist as well. The situation got a little sticky sometimes, with their families being so close. But the bottom line was that Jon had been through a lot over the years. Hell, if the last week was any indication, he was still going through a lot. And he couldn’t just tell a random therapist that he got anxiety every time his twin brother left the planet on a superhero mission (which was a conversation he and Beth shared about four years ago).

 

Beth understood the family situation and was an excellent secret keeper. But in addition, she also had a promise to Jon as a therapist to keep everything they talked about confidential, unless he was okay with her mentioning it, of course. There was also an agreement that if Jon was ever in any real trouble that she would tell Lois and Clark, but on the couple times that had happened, Beth warned Jon first.

 

But other than a few extremely dire situations, Beth had kept her word and remained confidential about everything they talked about over the years. Of course, being the caring person that she was, Beth often encouraged Jon to talk to his family when he was struggling, something that he only did occasionally.

 

And because of that dedication, Jon had opened up to Beth about quite a bit over the years, some things that even Dave wouldn’t have guessed; after all, Beth was a professional and their sessions were confidential, even from her husband.

 

So Beth knew that when she went to talk to Jon, there was a pretty good chance that he would tell her what was going on. Sure, it would probably take him a few minutes to actually get to the problem, since he didn’t really enjoy opening up. But once he did, they had some really good conversations and Beth had been able to help him through a lot.

 

However, Beth took her job seriously, and as understanding as Charlotte might be, Beth was not going to reveal that she had been professionally counseling Jon for years. That was not her place and she would never breach Jon’s trust like that.

 

But since had been open with his girlfriend about so many other things, maybe it was time to clue her in about this particular secret as well.

 

If the opportunity arose, Beth would mention it to Jon. 

 

Unfortunately, it was clear that she had more pressing matters to attend to. “You’re right, he may not want to talk to me. But I can try. Plus, I could see if he would talk to Dave. They are pretty close, maybe Jon would talk to him.”

 

“Maybe,” Charlotte said, though it was obvious that she wasn’t convinced and was still really worried about her boyfriend. “But if you don’t get anything out of him, or he really seems upset, could you let me know, please, and I’ll see if I can come up this weekend.”

 

“But your job, he would want you to–”

 

“My job is important, yes. But Jon is more important. If he needs me, I’m going to be there. That’s the bottom line.”

 

“Alright,” Beth finally said. “I’ll talk to Jon and I’ll let you know if I think you should come up.”

 

“I would really appreciate it. And maybe if you think there is anything I could do to make things easier…”

 

“I will definitely tell you,” Beth reassured the concerned girlfriend. “I’ve been fond of Jon for a long time so if I can help him out, I absolutely will.”

 

The two women exchanged pleasantries for a few more minutes before ending the phone call. It was clear that Charlotte just wanted the best for Jon, which is why she had called in the first place. In addition, Beth also wanted what was best for Jon and knew just how to talk to him when things got tough.

 

Beth sent a few emails, rearranged a few appointments and let the secretary know that she would be leaving the office early. She trusted Charlotte’s instincts and there was no way Beth was waiting until after work that particular Friday.

 

If there was even a chance that Jon was struggling, Beth was going to be there. As Charlotte had said, that was the bottom line.

Chapter 58: Opening Up

Summary:

Jon finally opens up to Beth and makes some changes.

Chapter Text

Beth walked into the back room to find Jon sprawled out on his bed, mindlessly flipping through the channels on the small TV they had brought in for him.

 

He didn’t look particularly upset…but he didn’t necessarily look happy either.

 

“Want some company,” Beth asked, taking a few steps into the room. Jon glanced over to see who his visitor was. He registered that it was Beth and lifted the corner of his mouth into a tiny smile.

 

“I could probably handle that.”

 

Beth grabbed one of the chairs by the bed and pulled it up so she was right next to Jon. “We haven’t talked much lately. How’s the rehab going?” She kept her tone conversational, knowing that if she was going to get any information out of Jon, he had to be comfortable.

 

He shrugged. “Slow…unproductive…annoying.” Jon rolled his eyes and shook his head slightly. Beth noted that once again, his actions gave away more about how Jon was actually feeling than his words did.

 

“Okay, that’s a start. You mind giving me a few more details?”

 

“I’m sure Dave has told you how bad it has been going, why do I need to say it again.”

 

“Actually, no,” Beth contradicted. “Dave hasn’t really told me much at all. I’ve been so busy with work lately that he hasn’t given me many updates. I probably should have told you before now how sorry I am for being away so much. That was pretty rude of me, now that I think about it.”

 

Jon’s eyebrows shot up. “Rude of you? What are you talking about? Beth, you have to work. That’s important.” He waved absently. “This stuff that’s going on with me, it doesn’t really matter. You shouldn’t be so hard on yourself.”

 

Beth reached over and gently squeezed Jon’s hand. “And neither should you.”

 

Jon let his head drop. She was good. She was really good. “I see what you did there. Getting me not to feel sorry for myself and worry about someone else. It definitely worked.”

 

She pulled her hand back. “It wasn’t a trick, Jon.” He looked over at her and raised an eyebrow–challenging the statement. Beth chuckled. “Okay, maybe it was kind of a trick, but I didn’t lie, Jon. I do wish I could have been around here a little more the past few days, I’m sure it’s been tough for you.”

 

Jon shrugged and glanced toward the bed. He began playing with a stray string on the blanket, trying to come up with how he could explain his emotions.

 

Beth didn’t push him.

 

“I know I’m making progress. There are exercises John Henry asked me to do today that I couldn’t do on Monday. So logically, there have to be improvements. But it just doesn’t feel like I’m getting anywhere, which is frustrating.”

 

“Why is that?”

 

“Well, I think mostly because I’ve never really struggled with something physical before. Even when I was a kid, trying to learn to play football, every day there were noticeable improvements and with this,” he gestured hopelessly to his leg. “I don’t notice any changes so it’s hard to get motivated.”

 

Beth had some thoughts about how they could encourage Jon. But she needed a little more information first.

 

“Okay, that’s fair. Let’s come back to that. How is your mental state?”

 

“Shitty.”

 

Jon raised her eyebrows at Jon’s blunt answer. Well, she wanted the truth. “Okay, why do you think that is?”

 

“Same deal as my leg, I guess. It’s hard to get motivated about anything and it’s putting me in a bad mood all the time.” Jon bit his lip, realizing just how true that was. “I can’t do a lot physically, so everything’s just been building up inside.”

 

“Because normally physical exertion is a form of escape for you,” remembered Beth.

 

“Exactly.” Jon nodded, the conflict showing on his face. “So mostly it’s been coming out in angry spurts, sometimes at Dave, or my family, but mostly at John Henry. None of this is his fault, but he’s just right there, an easy target.” Jon dropped his head against the pillow. “Man, that’s such a lame excuse.”

 

“Maybe,” Beth agreed. “But it’s also not a surprise. He’s the one helping you with most of the physical therapy, and if you aren’t seeing a lot of progress, it’s natural that you would want to take it out on him. I’m not saying it’s okay, but I see where you’re coming from.”

 

“So what do I do?”

 

“Well, I definitely think you should apologize to John Henry.” The young Kent grimaced, but knew that Beth was right. “You could also explain to him a little of what you have been feeling, that might help.”

 

Jon nodded. Her words made a lot of sense, as they usually did.

 

“Second, I think we should talk to John Henry and Dave and see if we can find some ways for you to have some tangible goals, even if they are small ones.”

 

“Why?”

 

Beth smiled. “Because I know you, Jon, and you’ve always been a competitive person, even if it’s with yourself. So if we can find a way for you to have daily, and weekly goals, I think it will be a lot easier for you to stay motivated and positive.”

 

“Knowing what I’m working towards would be nice,” admitted Jon.

 

“I’ll talk to Dave about it tonight. Also, don’t be afraid to let yourself have some fun. You can’t do a lot physically, but you can still hang out with your brother or sister, maybe even your parents. They love you, Jon, let them take some of the burden for you.”

 

Jon felt tears gather at the corner of his eyes. His family had definitely asked to be involved with his healing, but not wanting them to see him so weak and helpless, Jon had kept them at arm’s length. 

 

That had probably been the wrong decision.

 

“Okay, I’ll try.”

 

“One more thing, Jon. You don’t have to be so brave in front of Charlotte.” 

 

Jon stiffened. That was the last thing he expected Beth to say. “What do you mean?”

 

“She called me today, saying how worried she was about you. She’s so concerned that she isn’t sure if she should work this weekend and is thinking she should come up here instead.”

 

Jon sat up. “But that’s crazy, she told me how busy she is, how many kids they are trying to find placements for. She can’t actually be thinking about taking those days off.”

 

“Actually she is.”

 

“But her job–”

 

“Is not as important to her as you,” Beth said, taking his hand again. “I know you’ve been putting up a brave front for her, but she knows you better than that, and she knows how much you are struggling.”

 

“But I was hoping that if I acted like everything was fine then she wouldn’t worry about me.”

 

“And that’s admirable, really Jon it is. But Charlotte is feeling really guilty right now because she’s so far away and she knows things aren’t okay for you.”

 

Jon shook his head. “That’s not fair to her. What she’s doing is so important.”

 

“I agree with you. So do you think there’s a way to put her mind at ease?”

 

Jon pondered for a moment. “I guess tell her the truth…but I want her to be able to focus on her job as well.”

 

Beth gave Jon’s hand a squeeze. “I’m sure if we put our heads together we can figure out something.”

 

~~~~

 

As usual, Beth was one hundred percent right. They were able to come up with a good plan, one that Jon was very pleased with.

 

It was about 6:00 that night that Jon got a call from Charlotte–a call that he had been expecting.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Babe, these flowers are gorgeous! Where did you find a flower shop that can make such a varied bouquet?”

 

Jon chuckled to himself, he had been hoping that Char would enjoy the personally crafted bunch of flowers. “Um, it’s called the flower shop of Jordan… and he gets flowers from all over the world…literally.”

 

“Wait, but how…oh yeah,” Charlotte said, realizing what Jon meant. His brother, Jordan, could literally fly all over the world to get flowers. So far, her knowledge of Jon’s Kryptonian side had been so serious that she had forgotten that there must be some pretty fun perks as well. “So should I thank Jordan or you?”

 

“Me, definitely me.”

 

Charlotte giggled and leaned back in her chair. “Really, he doesn’t get any credit?”

 

“Nope, flying all over the world is obviously no big deal. It was my idea and that’s what’s important.”

 

“Mmm-hmm,” Charlotte murmured to herself, smiling good naturedly. She didn’t know what had changed Jon’s mood so drastically, but she was thrilled. “You’re such a good brother, it’s impressive, really.”

 

Jon recognized the sarcasm in his girlfriend’s tone, and played along. “I know right? Jordan and Natalie are so lucky.”

 

“So what is so important that you had to send me a bouquet made of flowers from all over the world?”

 

“Didn’t you read the card?”

 

“Well, yeah, it just says because I love you.”

 

“There you go,” Jon answered, sounding very proud of himself. “That’s the reason.”

 

“Oh Jon…” Charlotte glanced down at the flowers again. The bouquet really was gorgeous, and Jordan had obviously visited multiple tropical islands to get such an array of flowers.

 

She was touched.

 

“You didn’t have to do this.”

 

“You’re right. But babe, I wanted to. I know I haven’t made the past week easy for you. So I guess I thought this would be a good way to say sorry and be a reminder of just how much I love you.”

 

“I love you too, Jon, and you haven’t made this week difficult. I’ve just been worried about you.”

 

“That’s what Beth said.”

 

Surprised, Charlotte leaned forward in her chair. “Wait, you actually talked to Beth.”

 

“Yeah,” Jon admitted. “Whatever you said must have convinced her to come right home and check on me. We talked for a while, and I realized I’ve been kind of a jerk.”

 

“Jon, you’ve been going through a lot, I really don’t blame you, I’ve just been worried.”

 

“Well you don’t have to be. “I’m going to have Jordan and Nat over for a movie night and my parents are going to come visit on Sunday. That way you can focus on work without worrying if I’m okay. I mean I’d rather be with you, but they will do I suppose.”

 

“I have to say, I’m really glad to see this new attitude from you.”

 

Jon chuckled. “Me too. It’s a lot better than sulking all the time, that’s for sure. And I know things won’t magically get better. But I’m ready to give this whole rehab thing some real effort.”

 

They talked for a few more minutes, and Charlotte couldn’t deny how great it was to see Jon in a better mood. When she hung up and turned back to the paperwork in front of her, Charlotte felt as if a weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

 

Charlotte couldn’t help but wonder just what had Jon and Beth talked about that had put him in such a good mood, especially when Jon had been so hesitant to open up about his feelings about the operation.

 

Whatever the reason, Charlotte was thankful.

 

~~~~~

 

By Sunday evening, Jon felt like an entirely new person.

 

The movie night with Jordan and Natalie had been somewhat successful. He was glad to have them there, but in typical fashion, they didn’t spend a lot of time watching the movie and spent most of it talking, laughing, and throwing popcorn.

 

Jon may have only had one good arm, but he didn’t let that stop him.

 

The afternoons with his parents were nice as well. Beth gave up her kitchen so Clark could make them all some good meals, while Lois stayed far, far away, since it was probably safer for all of them.

 

They even managed to play a couple of board games as well, which was not nearly as lame as Jon thought it would be. But most importantly, he found time to have some good conversations and let the various members of his family know just how he had been feeling.

 

Things weren’t magically fixed, but it did help to let his family in a little, and kept Jonathan from feeling so alone.

 

He still had a long road ahead, but for the first time in a while, he had real hope.

Chapter 59: Threats

Summary:

Charlotte is feeling good about her job, her boyfriend, and everything in between...until something happens that threatens to rock both her life...and Jonathan's.

Notes:

Hey guys, so sorry about the long wait. It seems crazy that so much time has passed, I really don't know where this month has gone. But I am so excited to share this update with you and the exciting places this story is going.

Enjoy!

Chapter Text

By the time Monday evening rolled around, Charlotte was feeling good. Most of the cases that had been thrown in her lap were moving in a positive direction including setting up temporary placements, talking with potential foster parents and receiving some good indications that a set of siblings would be able to stay together.

 

Char stepped out of her office and began the leisurely walk to her car, basking in the crisp, evening air. It was just starting to get dark and her car was one of three left in the small parking lot. 

 

She had been pretty busy all day, so she hadn’t had time to reach out to Jon much, but the two had planned a long conversation over video chat to catch up that evening.

 

She could hardly wait.

 

In addition, Charlotte also planned to ask Natalie or Jordan if they could fly her up to see him one evening that week. Char thought it might be a fun surprise, especially considering there was a good chance that she would be busy again over the weekend.

 

Charlotte smiled. After everything that had been going on the last few weeks, she figured Jon could use the visit.

 

But that was later in the week, the question at the moment was simply what was she going to make for supper and whether or not she had time to freshen up before her video call with Jon.

 

She had barely placed her fingers on the door handle when someone twisted and pulled her arm behind her back. “What the–”

 

“Don’t scream,” a deep voice snarled in her ear.

 

Charlotte was quiet.

 

“I know your boyfriend’s secret,” the voice continued, pinning Charlotte against her car. He was holding her arms tightly and had leaned against her legs, leaving her unable to move.

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” stammered Charlotte, her heart racing.

 

“Yes, you do,” insisted the stranger behind her. “Kent’s dirty little secret, the one that could ruin his life.”

 

Charlotte couldn’t breathe. How did this guy, whoever he was, know that Jon’s dad was Superman? Of course, he hadn’t outright said those words, but what else could he be talking about?

 

“Please, no–”

 

“Relax,” the stranger whispered in her ear, giving Charlotte chills that ran up and down her body. “I haven’t said anything yet. And I won’t if you do what I say.”

 

“What’s…what’s that?”

 

“You tell Kent to resign as head football coach, to quit his job, and never come back here again.”

 

“I can’t do that–”

 

“Yes you can,” the stranger yelled, slamming her roughly into the car. “Or I’m going to make sure everybody knows the truth.”

 

“But I–” 

 

“That’s the deal. He resigns or I tell the whole world his secret. I’ll be watching,” he snarled again before throwing Charlotte to the ground.

 

The movement caught her off guard so by the time she looked up to try and catch a glimpse of her attacker’s face, he was gone.

 

Heart still racing and palms sweating, Charlotte was trying to simply breathe and process what had happened.

 

She sat up and leaned against the side of her car, her mind spinning.

 

Had that really just happened? Had someone actually threatened her, and threatened to reveal Jon’s big secret?

 

Yes, she was forced to admit to herself. Yes, that’s exactly what had happened.

 

Using willpower she didn’t know she had, Charlotte got up, stepped into her car, and drove back to her apartment.

 

When she arrived, Charlotte walked inside, and still feeling like a robot, completed a few tasks to try and calm herself down. She set her bag on the table, plugged her phone into the charger, and started a bag of popcorn in the microwave–she didn’t have the energy to make anything more complicated than that.

 

Not having anything else to do, and not at all relaxed by the simple tasks, Charlotte moved sluggishly over to her couch, and sank into it.

 

Then the tears came.

 

She hadn’t been forcibly treated like that since…since him. A man that she vowed would never cause her any pain ever again. A part of her past that she was ashamed of, so ashamed that she hadn’t even told Jonathan–didn’t even know how to tell Jonathan.

 

But those were her issues, Charlotte reminded herself, and they didn’t have anything to do with the current situation. He wasn’t here, and he wasn’t coming back. Not ever again.

 

And though she had always known that she should be honest with Jon, about her past, it wasn’t the time. That could have that conversation later. Besides, it was a part of her history that was long buried. No need to dredge it up. Instead, she needed to focus on helping Jonathan.

 

But how?

 

She had no clue who her attacker was or how he even knew Jon’s secret in the first place. In addition, how was she supposed to convince Jon to quit the job that he had worked so hard for, the one that was literally his dream?

 

Though she didn’t really have any answers, one thing was for sure, Charlotte had to proceed very, very, carefully. Because it wasn’t just Jon’s wellbeing on the line, but his entire family’s.

 

~~~~~

 

By Wednesday evening, Jon was starting to get worried. He hadn’t had an actual video or phone conversation with Charlotte since Sunday, which was pretty weird. In addition, she had barely made any contact with him at all, only texting after he had messaged her first, and sometimes not replying until hours later.

 

Jon didn’t consider himself a clingy boyfriend. He was happy that Charlotte was busy and had her own life–it was healthy. But Jon just couldn’t shake the feeling that something was wrong, really wrong.

 

He had tried to put the worries out of his head, telling himself that she probably was just busy with her caseloads from work, and that she didn’t owe him a two hour phone conversation every night. 

 

But Jon just couldn’t shake the strange feelings.

 

In addition, he had also gotten a weird phone call from his principal, Kyle Sawyer, encouraging Jon to take as much time as he needed with his rehab and to not hurry back. He had said that the team would be fine, that a long, lengthy recovery was the most important thing.

 

Again, there was no indication that there was actually anything wrong at school, but the whole conversation was just…weird.

 

Jon couldn’t be sure if the two situations were connected. But considering they were two very odd instances, he figured there was a chance. Though, exactly how they were connected, Jon couldn’t be sure.

 

In the meantime, Jon was doing his best to focus on something, anything else, though he hadn’t had much luck.

 

“Hey Jon, I brought you some supper,” Beth said with a smile as she entered the room. “I made your favorite: spaghetti and my famous homemade breadsticks.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

Though she couldn’t be sure why, Jon seemed to be having a tough time the last couple of days. It wasn’t quite the same hopeless, careless attitude that he had the week before, this was something different, something Beth couldn’t quite identify.

 

She had tried asking Jon about it, but for the first time in a while, Jon had been pretty tight-lipped about his emotions. No matter what strategies Beth tried, Jon wasn’t willing to talk. Being the professional that she was, Beth understood that maybe part of his problem was that she wasn’t the one he really needed to talk to.

 

It didn’t bother her. Beth’s number one concern was Jon and his wellbeing. And in this instance, she had a pretty good idea of what he needed.

 

“I hope you enjoy the food,” she said, placing the tray on the table by his bed.

 

“I’m sure I will,” he replied, in the distracted voice that had become the new norm.

 

“I have a surprise for you.” No point in beating around the bush, figured Beth. 

 

At her announcement, the special guest she had called upon, walked into the room: Jordan Kent.

 

“Dude, what are you doing here,” Jon asked, the surprise evident on his face.

 

“Beth called me,” he answered, taking the seat next to Jon’s bed. “She thought you could use some bro time.”

 

Jon chuckled. His brother might be a freaking superhero, but he could still still be so uncool sometimes. “If you promise not to say that ever again, you can stay.” For the first time. Jon noted that there were two plates of pasta and extra breadsticks on the tray that Beth had brought.

 

She subtly left the room, giving the boys some privacy, hoping that Jordan could get to the bottom of whatever was eating at Jon.

 

They spent the first few minutes just catching up–with Jon asking about Melissa and the latest superhero antics and Jordan questioning how his brother’s recovery was going.

 

When the smalltalk reached it’s natural conclusion, Jon glanced down, trying to decide if he should voice his concerns to his brother. Jordan, knowing his brother well enough to understand not to push, waited patiently for Jon to continue.

 

They had finished their pasta pretty quickly (since Jon had gotten decent at eating one handed). Jordan set the tray aside and Jon figured it was as good of a time as any to express his concerns.“Do you ever think there’s something going on, like there’s some kind of problem, but you can’t quite determine what’s actually wrong?”

 

Jordan pondered for a moment. Had he ever felt like that? Well, of course he did. Being a twin, he was constantly aware of potential issues that Jon may or may not have. Sometimes he followed those impulses and checked on his brother, and sometimes he had to learn to let things go.

 

But since he knew Jon probably wasn’t in the mood for a lesson on twin protectiveness applying to other areas of life, Jordan opted for the safe answer. “Sure, I’ve felt like that before. It can be kind of tough trying to figure out what to do in a situation like that,” Jordan said, giving his brother the affirmation he probably needed at that moment.

 

“Yeah, that’s kind of where I’m at,” Jon agreed with a soft laugh. Over the next few minutes he gave Jordan more details about the changes in Charlotte’s behavior over the last few days and the weird phone call he had gotten from his boss. But in his mind, the more concerning problem was his girlfriend.

 

Over the years, Jordan had gotten a lot better with relationships and had really turned into someone that Jon could talk to in these situations. It was why even then, that he trusted Jordan with his suspicions.

 

“And it’s not like there’s anything wrong with being busy, or missing a phone call,you know, but–”

 

“Given how protective she was last week it’s kind of a drastic change,” Jordan said, finishing his brother’s sentence the way he was known to do.

 

“Yeah, exactly,” Jon said, grateful that his twin knew him so well and that everything didn’t have to be spelled out. “Do you think I’m overreacting?”

 

“No dude, definitely not,” Jordan insisted, not giving it another moment’s thought. “I know I haven’t known Charlotte long, but in the days that I have, the behavior that you just described sounds pretty far from anything I’ve seen from her.”

 

“Yeah, that’s how I feel,” Jon murmured, slumping down into his bed. “What should I do?”

 

“Well,” Jordan said, letting out a deep breath. “I have a suggestion, but you’re probably not going to like it.”

 

“What is it,” asked Jon, knowing that his brother’s plans usually made a lot of sense.

 

“Maybe I should fly down to Richardson and check on Char, you know, just to make sure everything is okay.”

 

“Jordan–”

 

“Hear me out,” the brunette twin exclaimed, holding his hands up in defense. “Your instincts are rarely wrong about stuff like this, so if you think something weird is going on, there’s a good chance it probably is. So just let me go down there and see what’s what so you can sleep easy. Because let's be honest, bro, I know you, and you're not going to let this go until you know for sure.”

 

Jon paused. It would be nice to actually know if something was going on instead of just speculating. And Jordan knew Charlotte well enough not to do anything weird…

 

“Okay, fine,” conceded Jon. “But just make sure everything is okay and then come back.”

 

Jordan stood up. “Well…how do I know if she’s alright if I don’t talk to her and–”

 

“Dude, just go. I trust you,” Jon said, shooing his brother away. Jordan gave him an impish smirk and a shrug of his shoulders before superspeeding out of the room.

 

Jon just rolled his eyes. No matter what seemed to happen in their lives, Jordan would always be Jordan, and for that, Jon was grateful.

 

He just hoped that his twin was able to get some answers.

 

~~~~~~

 

Charlotte glanced over her shoulder one more time as she unlocked the door to her apartment. Nothing suspicious had happened over the last few days after the incident in the parking lot, but she just couldn’t shake the feeling that whoever was behind the attack might do something if she let her guard down again.

 

So in the days since, Charlotte had bought a can of pepper spray and done her best to make sure she left work at the same time as someone else or left before it got dark–even if that meant she had to take her work home with her a couple of times. It wasn’t much, but it made her feel safer for the time being.

 

She still hadn’t quite worked out how to handle the situation or what to tell Jon, so she had basically avoided him. It wasn’t the most mature answer, obviously, but Charlotte didn’t know what else to do.

 

How could she tell Jon that he had to give up his dream job? The simple truth was, she couldn’t. But she couldn’t let his family’s secret be revealed either. The only thing Charlotte had come up with so far was making a call to the school. She talked to Jon’s boss and claimed that Jon was trying really hard to recover and get back to work, though she was worried that he was moving too fast and not letting himself heal properly.

 

It wasn’t hard to play the concerned girlfriend–because that’s what she was. The principal, Kyle Sawyer, had definitely taken note of Charlotte’s worries and promised to reach out to Jon and encourage him that there was no need to rush back. It wasn’t much, but she didn’t have any other ideas. And if it could stall her attacker from revealing the truth about his family, then it was worth it.

 

Charlotte turned on the light to her apartment and couldn’t hold back a scream when she saw the dark figure on her couch. She picked up the nearest object she could find to try and fight back–a small antique lamp–when she realized she didn’t have any reason to be concerned.

 

“Jordan? What the hell are you doing here?”

 

Letting out a deep, relieved breath, Charlotte set the lamp back on the small table by the entryway. Given how worried she had been about another attack coming, it was only natural that she had such a big reaction to Jordan’s surprising arrival.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you,” Jordan said, looking genuinely apologetic. “I just had to come and talk to you.”

 

“Okay fine, but haven’t you ever heard of a doorbell? What were you thinking just zipping in here like this. Someone could have seen you, someone could have found out the truth.”

 

Jordan shook his head. “You can relax Char, I’m really good at this sort of thing. No one saw me, I promise.”

 

Charlotte dropped her bag and looked around cautiously. She didn’t believe Jordan’s words for a second and was convinced that the person who had attacked her had somehow seen Jordan and would now have even more proof of his secret identity.

 

Jordan noticed her strange behavior. “Look, I’m sorry I scared you, but I promise you have nothing to worry about.” He realized for the first time that Charlotte was shaking. What was that about? “Charlotte, relax okay, everything is going to be fine. You don’t need to worry–”

 

“Yes I do! Jordan, you have to get out of here, it’s not safe for you.”

 

Alarmed, he rushed over and grabbed Charlotte’s arms. “What are you talking about?”

 

With a look of panic filling her eyes, Charlotte simply said, “Someone knows your secret and is threatening to tell the whole world.”

Chapter 60

Summary:

Charlotte must decide if she is going to tell Jordan the truth about what happened or not.

Chapter Text

Jordan paled, his voice deadly calm. “What did you say?”

 

Close to tears, Charlotte said again, “Someone knows your secret and is threatening to tell the whole world.”

 

“Why would you think that?”

 

“Because he told me,” exclaimed Charlotte, getting worried that Jordan didn't seem to be taking her words seriously. She couldn’t believe she had been so careful only for Jordan to casually fly in and ruin everything.

 

“Wait, he who?”

 

“I don't know his name, okay, he attacked me the other day and said–”

 

Jordan's eyes flashed red. “You were attacked?”

 

“Well, yes, but–”

 

Jordan grabbed her arms. “My God, are you okay?” He held up her arms and turned her side to side as if searching for injuries.

 

“I’m fine,” Charlotte insisted, a little surprised by his protectiveness.

 

“I’ll be the judge of that,” Jordan muttered. He turned over her hands and saw how scratched up they were. He raised his eyebrows. “You call this fine?”

 

“It doesn’t hurt that badly.”

 

Determined now, Jordan realized he had an important job. “If it’s okay with you, I’m going to use my X-Ray vision to scan for other injuries.”

 

“What? No that’s not okay, are you crazy,” Charlotte exclaimed, mortified by how weird that sounded. Even the thought of Jordan looking at her like that was concerning.

 

“No, it’s not what you think. I won’t see…anything,” Jordan clarified, his face turning red as he imagined what Charlotte was probably thinking. “It’s just, you know, an X- Ray scan. Every person looks the same unless there’s some sort of abnormality.” 

 

“Really,” Charlotte asked, not quite convinced.

 

“I promise, you have nothing to worry about. You’re Jon’s girlfriend for crying out loud. You think he would let me live if I crossed a line?”

 

“That’s a good point,” murmured Charlotte. She took a deep breath. “Okay, if it will make you feel better, then you can.”

 

Jordan didn’t point out that he wasn’t using his X- Ray vision for his benefit, but for hers. He took a step back, scanning her quickly and efficiently since she was a little uncomfortable with the whole thing.

 

Unfortunately, the situation got a little worse when he realized exactly what kind of shape Charlotte was in. “My God, you really were attacked.”

 

“I told you, it was nothing,” Charlotte insisted again, turning away and feeling even more exposed.

 

Jordan placed his hand gently on her shoulders. “Char, you have bruises all over and I think your wrist might be sprained or broken.”

 

Charlotte bit her lip nervously. She had guessed that, but had done nothing to confirm it. Since she lived in a small town, if she went to the doctor for something like a broken wrist, she would probably get a cast, which people, including her parents, would see. Then, they would want to know what happened. And since they were pretty good at noticing when she was lying, they would probably ask more questions if she fed them a made up story, since there was no way she was telling them the truth.

 

And the absolute last thing she wanted was her parents getting suspicious about anything, especially when someone knew Jon’s family secret.

 

So she had iced and wrapped her wrist at home, hoping that it would be enough–it wasn’t. She was constantly taking pain medication and was barely using her wrist at all. In addition, she had taken to wearing long sleeved shirts at work so no one could see her wrist. She knew how it looked, if anyone saw it they would immediately jump to suspicions…which she was trying to avoid at all costs.

 

It probably wasn’t a smart way to handle things, but she just couldn’t risk what might happen afterwards.

 

She just couldn’t. Jon was too important.

 

“Well thanks for checking,” Charlotte said, turning away again, hoping they could  just move on. “But I’ll be fine.”

 

“Yeah, in time you will, but Char, please let me take you to Dave so he can check you out properly,” Jordan said, knowing that it was up to him to be calm in the situation. It was obvious that Charlotte hadn’t told anybody about this, which meant she was hiding it for some reason and that Jordan needed to proceed carefully.

 

“No,” Charlotte exclaimed, alarmed at even the prospect of someone else knowing what was going on. “You don’t need to make a big deal out of this.”

 

“Charlotte, you were attacked and now you’re in pain. You need to let someone help you.”

 

“I said I’ll be fine,” Charlotte insisted, pulling further away, wishing Jordan hadn’t come at all. “If I go to Dave’s then Jon will probably see me, and I can’t let him see me like this. Hell, I need to stay away from Jon, period.”

 

Jordan raised his eyebrows in alarm. When he promised his brother that he would check on Charlotte, he never would have dreamed this is the situation he would find. He needed to get some more information.

 

“Charlotte, why would you think you need to stay away from Jon,” Jordan asked quietly.

 

“I told you, because someone knows your secret. I love him, Jordan,” she explained, practically pleading now. “I have to protect him.”

 

Jordan softened. “Charlotte, we’ve dealt with threats like this before, okay? I know it seems scary, and I’m sorry that you got brought into this, but staying away isn’t going to solve anything. Trust me when I say the absolute best thing that we can do is go to Dave’s house so he can check you out. Then we can talk to my dad about this threat.” 

 

Charlotte looked hesitant, so Jordan tried again. “I know it seems scary and it’s hard to know what to do, but keeping this all inside isn’t going to help anything.”

 

At this point, she honestly didn’t know what was right and what was wrong. But Charlotte did know she hated to be away from Jonathan and that she did not enjoy keeping the secret of what had happened. She didn’t know Jordan well, but if he thought that it was best to come forward, maybe it was time to trust someone.

 

“Alright,” Charlotte finally agreed, “let’s go see Dave.”

 

~~~~~

 

Jordan figured there was a good chance Charlotte would be talked into staying at Dave’s for a while. So with that in mind, he gave Charlotte some time to change into some more comfortable clothes and grab an overnight bag, just in case.

 

When she was ready, Jordan carried Charlotte and her bag and flew off towards Dave’s house. Charlotte had been able to function, so she probably wasn’t too injured, but Jordan made sure to be careful anyway, since she was still a little banged up.

 

They arrived at Dave’s house and Jordan set her gently on the ground, though he kept her bag.

 

“I can take it,” Charlotte said, reaching her hand out.

 

“That’s okay,” Jordan countered. “I got it.” Charlotte tried to argue, but Jordan quickly cut her off. “Let’s just get you inside, okay?”

 

Charlotte relented and followed Jordan inside. He bent his head, obviously using his super hearing, then turned back to Charlotte. “They’re in Jon’s room. We’ll head there.”

 

She stopped for a moment, unsure if she was really ready to confess everything to Jon. Jordan noticed her hesitation. “It’s okay, Char,” he said, placing his hand on her shoulder once again. “This is the right thing to do.”

 

Charlotte hated the idea of putting Jon in any sort of danger. But Jordan was right, keeping everything to herself wasn’t helping anything either. Still a bit nervous, she followed Jordan to the back room where Jon had been staying.

 

He knocked on the door and peeked his head in. Charlotte heard a chorus of voices greeting Jordan; everyone was obviously happy to see him. 

 

“What brings you here,” she heard Dave ask. In lieu of answering, Jordan simply opened the door wider to reveal Charlotte.

 

Jon, of course, had the biggest reaction. “Babe! You’re here!” Immediately, Jon was pushing on the arm of the recliner, trying to get himself up, an action which Dave quickly put a stop to since Jon simply wasn’t strong enough. “It’s so great to see you Char, I’ve missed you.”

 

“I missed you too,” she whispered, unable to stop the tears from rolling down her face. After being so determined to stay away from Jon for his safety, actually being in the same room with him was a little overwhelming.

 

Someone out there knew his secret and had the potential to expose the dangerous information. It was probably safer for everyone involved if she kept her distance. But at the moment…Charlotte didn’t give a damn.

 

She rushed over to the recliner where Jon was sitting and enveloped him in a hug. A small part of her brain reminded her to be careful since he was still early in his recovery process, but a much bigger part of her mind was simply focused on getting as close to Jon as she possibly could.

 

Charlotte wrapped her arm around his shoulders, not at all bothered by the casts, and buried her face in his shoulder. She ran her fingers through his tousled blonde hair, then framed his face gingerly before pulling him in for a passionate kiss.

 

It didn’t matter that Jordan, Dave, and Beth were all in the room. In her mind, she and Jon were the only two people in the world with their reunion being the only thing that mattered. Because of the cast on his left arm he couldn’t completely hug her the way he wanted to, but it was enough.

 

Considering that Jon hadn’t known the next time he would see her it was more than enough.

 

Surprisingly, he pulled back first. “It’s so great to see you, Char. This is a surprise. I’ve barely heard from you all week.”

 

Even though she was thrilled to be back with Jon, just that simple reminder was enough to bring the illusion that everything was okay crashing down around her. She tried to hold back the tears, but was unsuccessful.

 

“Babe, what’s wrong,” Jon asked once he heard her sniffling and noticed her watery eyes.

 

She picked her head up, wishing she could just allow herself to get lost in Jon’s gorgeous blue eyes…but she knew she couldn’t.

 

Charlotte was having trouble finding the words so Jon made an assumption. “I know this looks bad,” he said, but I promise I’m getting better every day and I’m gonna be fine.”

 

“I shouldn’t even be here,” Charlotte murmured, feeling guilty for the danger she could be putting him and his entire family in.

 

“What are you talking about? You're my girlfriend, of course you should be here,” Jon insisted. He was alarmed that Charlotte would even say something like that.

 

“You need to tell him,” Jordan spoke up. “Because if you don’t, I will.”

 

Jon glanced back and forth between Jordan and Charlotte, noticing immediately that he was missing something important. “Wait, what’s going on here?”

 

Jordan gave Charlotte one more chance to come clean about what had happened…but she didn’t. Instead, she just wrapped her arms around Jon again, held him close, and cried harder.

 

She had been so worried about what would happen to Jon, so finally being in his arms again was simply overwhelming.

 

“Okay, someone better tell me what’s going on right now,” Jon exclaimed, getting more worried by the second. He had never seen Charlotte act like this, almost hysterical and irrational. But Jon also knew Charlotte and everything she did had a purpose, so if she was acting like this, then there was a reason...there was a damn good reason.

 

“We’re going to need Dave’s help on this one, and I’m going to call Dad too,” Jordan said, moving closer to his brother. It wasn’t going to be easy for Jon to hear, but it needed to be said.

 

“I think you better tell us what all this is about, Jordan,” Dave said. He had been concerned about Charlotte’s behavior since she had walked in. And if Jordan said that Dave’s assistance was needed, then maybe the situation was more serious than he had originally thought.

 

“Hey Dad,” Jordan muttered, knowing that Clark could hear him. “I’m at Dave and Beth’s house. You and Mom better get over here quickly.”

 

Within a few seconds, Clark had sped into the room with Lois clutching him tightly the way she usually did when Clark superspeeded anywhere. “What’s going on,” he asked immediately, knowing that Jordan wouldn’t have asked them to come over if there wasn’t a real emergency.

 

Lois however, a gifted observer, noticed Charlotte right away. Based on the way the girl was sitting on the edge of the recliner yet was completely wrapped on Jon, it seemed as if she was scared to let him go.

 

“Thanks for coming guys,” Jordan said, addressing his parents. “Sorry about the short notice.”

 

“It’s no problem,” Clark said. He also noticed Charlotte’s strange behavior, which was unlike anything they had ever seen from the girl. Even when Jon had been taken to the Fortress unexpectedly, she was still much more composed than she was at that moment. “Whatever we can do to help,” he added, also convinced that whatever the issue was it had something to do with Charlotte.

 

“We’ll need it,” Jordan confirmed with a nod. “There’s something you all need to know, and it’s pretty big.”

 

“What is it,” Lois asked, ready to jump in any way that they could.

 

Jordan glanced over at Charlotte one more time, not wanting to cross any boundaries, but she nodded, so he figured it was okay for him to tell the truth, since she seemed unable to. He took a deep breath and simply said, “Charlotte was attacked.”

Chapter 61: Learning the Truth

Summary:

Although Charlotte is nervous to come clean about the attack, she decides to open up, which prompts some surprising revelations for everyone.

Notes:

Hey guys, I took a little break over the holidays, but am definitely back which lots of fun chapters to share, hopefully a little more frequently!

Thanks so much for sticking with me and reading this story :)

Chapter Text

“What,” Jon exclaimed, not sure if he heard Jordan correctly. Immediately, he tightened his good arm around Charlotte protectively.

 

“She was attacked,” Jordan said again, hating the words as he said them. “As soon as I learned about it I insisted she let me bring her here. I knew you would want to see her and I knew that Dave needed to see her.”

 

“Babe, are you hurt,” Jon asked, trying to get a better look at his girlfriend.

 

“I’ll be fine,” Charlotte insisted, pulling away from Jon a little. She realized that she was making a bit of a spectacle of herself.

 

“Don’t believe her Dave,” Jordan said, crossing his arms. “She’s pretty banged up and I think her wrist is broken. At the very least it’s sprained.”

 

Immediately, Dave stood taller, his professionalism taking over. “You should probably let me take a look, Charlotte.”

 

“No, I’m fine. Why won’t anybody listen to me?” Charlotte got up and took a few steps away from Jon. She didn’t need anyone to make a fuss over her. She had been through worse.

 

Besides, there were bigger issues here.

 

“Char, can you just let Dave check you over. For me,” Jon asked, giving her his best puppy dog eyes. He wasn’t sure why she was so freaked out, but if anyone could sympathize, it was him. Dave was the best and Jon still hated when he had to be examined by the other man. There was just something about feeling weak and out of control that could be hard to process.

 

Besides, if he could get Dave’s official diagnosis that everything was okay, Jon would feel much better about the whole situation. As it was, he was having a little trouble processing the fact that Charlotte had been attacked and was trying to remain calm for her sake.

 

But inside…Jon was furious. He was mad that he hadn’t been there to protect her and mad someone had even hurt her in the first place.

 

Someone had hurt Charlotte…

 

“Jon, I’m fine. You don’t have to worry.”

 

“I’m always going to worry about you,” Jon said, giving her that cute little smirk that just made her melt. “Please babe, just to give me some peace of mind. And Dave’s the best, I promise.”

 

Charlotte was still questioning the whole thing and whether or not it was the right move since she didn’t really know Dave, but she knew one thing–she didn’t want to upset Jon.

 

It was easier to pretend like everything was fine when she had been away from Jon. But standing right next to him…things weren’t quite so simple.

 

She hated being fussed over and people thinking she couldn’t handle herself. It brought back…memories…that she didn’t often let herself revisit.

 

“Alright Jon, if it will make you feel better.”

 

“Yes, it really will.” Understatement, Jon thought to himself, but since Charlotte was already a little on edge for some reason, he thought it best not to make a bigger deal about the situation.

 

Plus, there was the simple fact that Charlotte still hadn’t said anything else about the attack, which in Jon’s opinion, probably meant that there was a lot more to the story.

 

But he knew enough not to push her just yet.

 

For the next ten minutes or so, Dave gave Charlotte a quick checkup. He made sure to ask her lots of important questions like how she had been feeling, if she had any dizzy spells, difficulty breathing and a few other things.

 

Not only was Dave a skilled physician, he also had excellent bedside manner. For example, when he was examining Charlotte’s wrist, he was very cognisant of the fact that it was tender, and was very gentle with her.

 

In addition, his voice was calm and soothing. While she had been a little nervous at first, it became clear that as the impromptu exam went on, Charlotte was able to relax. 

 

Dave just had that effect on people.

 

When it looked like Dave might be finishing up, Jon couldn’t resist asking, “Well, Doc, what’s the verdict?” Jon worked to keep his voice steady, but his heartbeat was racing. He had been right by Charlotte’s side the whole time, but given Dave's professionalism, it was hard to tell exactly how serious the situation was.

 

“All in all I think she was very lucky,” Dave answered honestly. “That wrist is sprained so I’d like to put a brace on for you just to keep it from being jostled around anymore while it heals. And it doesn’t seem like you have a concussion, which is good news, but I’ll check in after a few days just to make sure there are no other symptoms. Obviously she has a few bumps and bruises, but nothing that I think will require extra attention.”

 

“You’re sure she’s okay,” Jon asked. After the heart wrenching news that his girlfriend had been attacked, Jon needed a little more confirmation before he felt totally at ease.

 

“I’m positive,” Dave said, walking towards a line of cabinets along the wall. “She might feel a little sore for a few more days and it will take some time for her wrist to be back to one hundred percent, but I don’t see any major physical concerns.” He had grabbed a basic black brace from one of the cupboards and brought it back over to Charlotte.

 

She held out her hand while Dave fastened it for her, explaining a few basic caretaking elements that she needed to know about her wrist and the brace.

 

Afterwards, Jon took Charlotte's good hand and gave it a quick squeeze. “Are you sure you’re okay,” he asked again.

 

“Positive,” she answered, leaning over to give him a peck on the cheek.

 

“Good.” Jon finally allowed himself to exhale. “Now, I think it’s time you tell more about what actually happened.”

 

Charlotte took a deep breath. She had known this was coming. She still wasn’t comfortable being honest about everything that had happened. But while Dave had been examining her, Charlotte had come to a realization: Jon and his family had been open and honest with her about their secrets, which meant that when the time was right, she had to be honest too.

 

“Okay,” she said, turning to her boyfriend. “But you have to promise not to freak out.”

 

“Babe, I can’t make that promise,” Jon answered simply. “I care about you a lot.”

 

She bit her lip; this was going to be difficult. “I know, but I had to try. It’s just…you’re not gonna like what I have to say.” A look of alarm crossed Jon’s face and Charlotte knew she just needed to hurry up and say the words or she would chicken out. “Okay, so a couple of days ago, I was leaving work and somebody came up behind me and pinned me to my car. I couldn’t get away.”

 

Jon clenched his jaw but nodded for her to continue.

 

“The guy told me that he knew my boyfriend’s secret and if…if Jon didn’t resign as head football coach and leave Richardson, he would tell everyone the secret and ruin Jon’s life.”

 

“What,” Jon exclaimed, instantly horrified that Charlotte had been put in such a terrible situation. “Wait, what did he say exactly?”

 

And then, even though it was difficult, Charlotte recounted exactly what her attacker had said.

 

“So he didn’t say anything specifically about Superman or being Kryptonian or anything like that,” Clark asked, now understanding exactly why Jordan had wanted him and Lois there.

 

“No, nothing like that. He just mentioned that he supposedly knew Jon’s dirty little secret and that it would ruin his life. And I know I haven’t known the truth about your family long,” Charlotte said, glancing at the other Kents, “but I could tell right away how big of a deal it was.”

 

She glanced back at Jonathan. “And that’s why I kept my distance so much this week.”

 

“Because you were trying to protect me,” realized Jon.

 

Charlotte nodded. “I didn’t know what else to do. I couldn’t let anything happen to you, Jon…or to any of you. I mean I know I recently met most of you guys, but you’ve been so warm and accepting…that I just…”

 

Overcome with emotion, Charlotte turned away.

 

Sensing it was time to clarify some things, Clark stepped forward, taking the lead for a moment. “First of all, we appreciate you willing to take such extreme measures to protect our family secret. It’s a lot to ask and we are immensely grateful.”

 

“And just so you know,” Lois added, “We are thrilled that Jon has found someone so wonderful to share his life with. Things are a little rough right now, but we wish the two of you nothing but happiness.”

 

Charlotte nodded again, appreciating Lois’ approval. As scary as the whole encounter had been, she couldn’t even imagine betraying her, or any of the other Kent’s.

 

She loved Jon and after getting to know his family, she could honestly say she was growing to love them too.

 

“We should have probably talked about all this a little more,” Clark continued, “but when it comes to threats, keeping them to yourself is not the best option.”

 

“Oh,” Charlotte murmured, deflating a little.

 

“Please don’t feel bad,” Clark insisted, taking a step closer. “Really, like I said, it’s our fault for not mentioning it sooner. But better late than never, right,” he said, offering her a smile similar to Jon’s.

 

“Yeah, I guess,” Charlotte said, still feeling like she had screwed up.

 

“The important thing is that you didn’t say anything to the attacker and that you are alright. Everything else we can deal with.”

 

“And when someone makes a threat like that, the main thing is that we stick together,” Lois said, sympathizing with Charlotte.

 

When she had first learned Clark’s secret, there were a lot of unwritten rules that she had to get accustomed to. Things she could and couldn’t say, how to handle intense situations, and learning about an alien culture that was completely new to her were all things that Lois had to get used to.

 

She could imagine how Charlotte felt–learning your boyfriend was not who you thought could be a bit overwhelming. And if she was going to be a part of their family, at least for the near future anyway, then they needed to make sure she was properly prepared.

 

“And no matter how serious the threat is or how much someone may try to convince you not to be honest with us, telling the truth is always the most important thing. Because then we can deal with it, make sure everyone’s safe and move on.”

 

“Hopefully, this won’t happen again for a long time,” Jon said, once again feeling the weight of what Charlotte had been through, “but you still need all the information.”

 

Char nodded, understanding what they meant. “So you’re saying that instead of going back to my apartment and not saying anything, I should have called one of you right away.”

 

“Exactly,” Clark said. “In this particular situation it’s difficult because we don’t know a lot about the attacker, but still any information will help piece it together.”

 

“Got it…sorry.”

 

“You don’t have anything to be sorry for,” Clark said, taking a few steps closer until he was right in front of Charlotte. He crouched down so he was at eye level with her. “The most important thing here is that you are okay. Nothing else even comes close to that.”

 

“But the secret–”

 

“Doesn’t even compare to the fact that someone set out to hurt you and we weren’t there to protect you.” Clark knew Charlotte still wasn’t entirely convinced. “Look, people have tried to expose my secret for years. Sometimes they are close, sometimes not. But we can always do damage control. The one thing we can’t do is go back in time if something happens to you.”

 

Charlotte’s eyes began to water so Clark put his hand on her shoulder, almost the same way a father would. “If you ever need anything at all, you can always call me or Jordan at any time of the day, rain or shine, whether you think it’s something big or small. You can always call and we’ll be there in seconds. We care about you Charlotte and we will do absolutely anything for you–please believe that.”

 

After the last comment Charlotte could no longer control her tears. She had spent a lot of time that week feeling like she couldn’t be honest with anyone, that she was a burden.

 

And now Superman, and more importantly, Jon’s father, was saying that well being came first in this situation–which meant more than Charlotte could express.

 

“Thanks Mr. Kent,” Char said, wiping away her tears.

 

“Please, call me Clark,” he insisted, giving her a warm smile.

 

“Thanks…Clark,” she said, returning the smile. “So, what happens now,” she asked, looking at the other adults in the room.

 

“Well, I think we should–”

 

“Hey guys, I hate to be the one to say it,” Jordan spoke up, “but I have a thought. The attacker didn’t say anything about Superman, he just mentioned a big secret.” He turned to Jonathan with a pained expression on his face. “What if he was referring to a different secret?”

Chapter 62: The Secret

Summary:

After realizing what secret the mysterious attacker might have been referring to, Jon is forced to be honest with Charlotte about his past with X-K.

Chapter Text

“A different secret,” Charlotte asked, glancing back at Jon. “What do you mean?”

 

Jonathan was silent, though his face had gone startlingly pale…as if he knew exactly what Jordan was referring to and didn’t like what it meant. Charlotte looked at everyone else in the room, noticing they all had similar expressions.

 

No one made eye contact with her, opting instead to look at each other or at the wall. It appeared that everyone knew what secret Jordan was talking about, but no one wanted to tell Charlotte what was going on.

 

“Do you think it’s possible,” Jon finally asked through clenched teeth. He looked up at Clark. “Am I going to have to deal with all of that again?”

 

Clark looked back at his son with a pained expression. Jonathan had come so far since those high school days. And though it had been a difficult time for all of them, no one had suffered as much as Jon.

 

At one time it didn’t even seem possible that Jonathan would be able to get back to any sort of a normal life. And while Lois and Clark had initially been worried about whether coaching football at Richardson would be good for Jon, it quickly became clear that the job was perfect for Jon.

 

But now…if someone was going to dredge up those painful memories again…how would Jon be able to face that?

 

Especially considering that he was still recovering from his car accident.

 

“Jordan…makes a good point,” Clark finally said. “Although we should explore every option, it does make sense that someone could get access to that…information.”

 

“Shit.”

 

“Wait, access to what information,” Charlotte asked, trying not to panic. Jon had already told her all about his family’s alien heritage. What could be a bigger secret than that? “Can somebody please tell me what’s going on?”

 

Jon sighed. “Guys, can you give us a minute, please?” This is not the way he wanted to tell Charlotte one of the darker moments of his past, but he wasn’t going to lie to her, not again.

 

The moment everyone had left, Char turned to her boyfriend. “Babe, what is going on, you’re scaring me.”

 

“You have nothing to worry about,” he said, pulling her hand up to his lips for a kiss. “I’m fine–physically anyway. Jordan just pointed out that the secret the attacker could have been referring to might not be about my dad, but about something that happened when…when I was in high school.”

 

“Okay.” Charlotte strengthened her resolve. She loved Jon more than anything in the world and vowed to stand by his side no matter what he told her.

 

“See, when I was younger, football was a really big deal to me–it was basically my whole life. But when we moved to Smallville, football kind of took a backseat. Jordan’s powers started developing, my dad was dealing with a lot as Superman, and it was a bit of a crazy time for our whole family.”

 

Jon took a deep breath and continued. “I had been feeling like I wasn’t… good enough, I guess. That I wasn’t worthy of being a member of my ‘super’ family.”

 

“What? Jon, How could you think that,” Charlotte exclaimed, running a hand along the side of his face. “You have so many amazing skills and besides, even though I haven’t known them long I can tell you’re family adores you.”

 

Jon gave her a small smile. “Thanks babe. It’s a lot easier to tell myself that now, but back then…things were different for me.”

 

“So what happened,” Charlotte asked, wondering where the story could possibly go.

 

“During my freshman year I broke my wrist twice, so I had to take several months off from football. The recovery and rehab was long and painful, but by the time I was a sophomore, I thought I was ready to get back in the game.”

 

Charlotte nodded, sensing things were about to take a turn.

 

“I had been feeling pretty inferior for a while, but I figured that if I could just play football again that things would be back to normal. But the problem was, I wasn’t really getting any playing time because another player had gotten a lot stronger and faster over the summer so he stepped up into the position of quarterback. The real issue came in when I discovered he hadn’t come by his abilities naturally.”

 

“He was taking steroids?”

 

“Not quite, but it had basically the same results as steroids.”

 

“So what was he taking,” Charlotte asked. Of all the ways she expected this conversation to go, hearing about old teammates cheating in football was definitely not it.

 

“It was called X-Kryptonite, X-K for short,” Jon answered. Even mentioning the word put a bad taste in his mouth.

 

Charlotte furrowed her brows. “Kryptonite…but that’s…I mean your dad…”

 

“So, there’s actually several different types of Kryptonite, and each does something different. The kind that you’re probably thinking of, that would weaken my dad or Jordan, is green. X-K is kind of a gold color. Somehow people figured out how to get into a gas, basically, and people would huff it.”

 

“And that’s…how your teammate was getting really strong?”

 

Jon nodded. “Yep. Before a game or practice they would take some which allowed them to perform amazingly. And it wasn’t just a good performance, in addition, they would temporarily have powers similar to Superman.”

 

“Wow, sounds pretty crazy.”

 

“It was,” Jon agreed, hating what he would have to say next. “And like I said, I was feeling pretty inferior to my brother and learning a bunch of my teammates basically had powers as well didn’t help. So eventually…I took some.”

 

Charlotte raised her eyebrows in surprise. “You took this…this X-K stuff?”

 

Jon nodded, still so ashamed after all these years. “I did. I was desperate, willing to do anything to get back in the game. Unfortunately, it didn’t go the way I hoped. Once I started taking it I felt super guilty. My parents had raised Jordan and I well, so that was the first problem–I knew it was wrong but did it anyway. Also, when I was on it, yes, I got super strong and fast, which was great for a time, but it also made me really angry.”

 

“It did?”

 

“Oh yeah, total rage monster, which I hated, because that’s not who I am at all. I even went after Jordan a few times, and that’s when I decided enough was enough. Success on the football field wasn’t worth it.”

 

“Well that’s good then,” Charlotte said, still determined to stay loyal to Jon.

 

“That’s what I thought. But there’s more. My girlfriend at the time was selling the X-K canisters. I wasn’t right, I know, but she was trying to earn money for her family. Her dad was a loser and they were poor so she was desperate.”

 

Jon hadn’t talked to Candice in years. He probably should have resented her for getting him into so much trouble, but he really didn’t. She had been in a difficult situation as well and her dad made everything worse. It had been the right thing for her to move in with her aunt.

 

They had tried to make things work for a while, but eventually the distance and life changes came between them.

 

After parting as friends, Jon and Candice agreed the separation was for the best and were each ready to move on to what was next.

 

Although a split second decision had permanently changed his life, Jon honestly didn’t regret it.

 

Candice had needed help and with Jon’s genetics, he was basically programmed to jump in and save the day.

 

Jon continued on with his story.

 

“Somebody had alerted the authorities about what was going on because they brought drug dogs into school. Unfortunately it was the same day my old girlfriend had brought a bunch of X-K inhalers. I didn’t want her to get in trouble since her family had enough problems, so I said they were mine. It wasn’t my brightest move but I had figured that since I was known as a good kid I wouldn’t get into much trouble.”

 

“I’m guessing things weren’t that simple,” Charlotte said, sympathizing the difficult choice Jon had been faced with in his younger days.

 

“Not by a long shot. I got in huge trouble which included getting kicked off the football team, getting the rest of the season canceled, forced to take school online for a few months after the threat of being expelled, as well as the obvious distrust and disappointment of my parents.”

 

Charlotte was shocked. Poor Jonathan. “But…but they weren’t even yours.”

 

He shrugged. “I know, but since I wasn’t willing to say where the X-K came from, I had to take all the punishment.”

 

“So, what happened then,” Charlotte asked, totally engrossed in the story.

 

“Eventually I said where I got the canisters, but only because my parents promised to protect my ex, which they did. The authorities caught a bunch of the people that were producing and selling the X-K and it wasn’t long before the stuff was basically eradicated. After a while I got to come back to school and my relationship with my parents got better. It definitely took some time for people in town to get over it, but time heals all wounds apparently.”

 

“Okay, but if I understand this correctly, you weren’t the only one using and you definitely weren’t selling, yet you got in the most trouble. Is that right?”

 

“Yep, pretty much.”

 

“Well that’s not fair.”

 

Jon smiled. He appreciated the way Charlotte still came to his defense, despite everything he had admitted to. “No, it wasn’t, but I also made some choices that caused me to end up in that situation, so I was still wrong by association.”

 

Over the years, Jon had come to terms with what he did and what happened. He could blame Candice, or the X-K, or peer pressure from his teammates, but what it came down to was the fact that Jon had made choices, which had led to some pretty major consequences for him.

 

The whole thing had been a tough learning experience and ever since then, Jon had been determined not to let himself be defined by the mistakes of his past.

 

Getting back into football had initially been a little nerve wracking, but after a few years of being an assistant coach in college, Jon couldn’t deny how great it had felt to be involved with football again. 

 

And Jon would be heartbroken if the game was taken away yet again by the threat of X-K.

 

“So there you have it,” Jon said, “my dirty little secret. And I won’t be mad if you think the worst of me because of it.”

 

“Oh, babe,” Charlotte said, pulling him in for a kiss. “Of course I’m not going to be mad about something that happened in the past. I love you, no matter what.”

 

“But, if somebody actually knows that secret…it could really mess up the perception of me from people at Richardson school and probably the whole town. And by dating me you might be treated differently as well. So if you want out–

 

Without even thinking, Charlotte leaned over to kiss Jon again. And it wasn’t a quick peck this time–it was a full on, passionate kiss that left no doubt of her feelings toward Jon. When she finally pulled away, Charlotte leaned her head against Jon’s.

 

“I don’t care what anybody says or what happens. I love you Jonathan Kent, and I’m never leaving you.”

Chapter 63: More to the Story

Summary:

As the Kent's try to discuss how to handle Jon's past potentially being exposed, things get a little tense between he and Charlotte, bringing some secrets to light.

Notes:

Thank you all for your patience! Hope you enjoy!

Chapter Text

“Well, I think that pretty much covers everything,” Clark said, looking around the group that had gathered together. “Does anyone have anything to add?”

 

Jonathan, his family, Charlotte, along with Beth and Dave had been discussing how best to handle the looming threat of Jon’s past with X-K. There were a lot of options, but it was difficult to figure out which one would be the best for all of them, especially Jon and Charlotte, since they were the most directly affected.

 

They had all gone back and forth for a while, but in the end, Jon made his feelings clear: he wasn’t going to lie about anything that happened, and he wasn’t going to hide from it either. It was a part of his past, something he definitely wasn’t proud of, but nonetheless, it had still happened so there was no point lying about it. And if telling the truth cost him his reputation or his job, Jonathan was going to find a way to live with that.

 

Besides, he’d already been doing it for years.

 

After the incident with the X-K had occurred, Jon had been forced to live with the seemingly never-ending feelings of guilt, disappointment, and failure.

 

Though the whole situation had been hard for his family as well, no one took the heat more than Jon. And while he understood why his family wanted to stay in town–Clark had grown up in Smallville after all– Jon needed to get out.

 

Moving to Richardson and meeting Charlotte had been such a gift. For the first time in a while, Jon had finally felt normal, like he belonged somewhere again. He hadn’t had feelings like that in so long and had been wondering if he would be an outcast forever or if he could ever find his place in the world.

 

And now, just as he was settling in, everything blew up again–the way it always seemed to.

 

First, there were conflicts with some of the football players, then Jon had gotten in that terrible car accident which really wasn’t an accident and now someone was threatening to expose his past with X-K.

 

He just couldn’t catch a break.

 

“I think we made a good plan,” Jon said, answering his dad’s question. “But there is one thing we didn’t discuss.”

 

“What’s that?”

 

“Protecting Charlotte until the person who attacked her is caught.”

 

“Wait, what are you talking about,” Char asked, turning to Jon. Dave had helped him move back to the bed so he was once again settled comfortably against the pillows. Jon was making progress every day, but the trusted physician still didn’t want him to overdo it, especially given all the tensions the evening had brought. Which is why, despite many protests from Jon, he still spent a decent amount of time in the hospital bed.

 

Charlotte was sitting on a chair next to Jon’s bed, perched dutifully at his side. It had been difficult to keep her distance from him the last few days, especially knowing how much he had been struggling with everything.

 

But now, realizing how much more complicated the situation actually was made Charlotte glad to have the support of the Kent family and to be back with Jon. Because although neither of them knew what was coming next, it was clearer to Charlotte than ever that they needed to stick together if they were going to make it through whatever was coming next.

 

Was she surprised by what Jon had admitted about his high school days…yes. But his past didn’t define who he was–Charlotte knew that better than anyone. More than anything, she just wanted to be there for him.

 

“Given the fact that someone forcibly attacked you, I think we need to figure out some sort of rotation between Dad, Jordan and Nat to make sure that someone is always watching over you so something like this doesn't happen again,” Jon insisted.

 

“That’s ridiculous,” Charlotte exclaimed, “I don’t need protection.”

 

“Actually babe, you do.” Jon couldn’t do a whole lot right now, and even though he couldn’t be there physically, he planned to do everything he could to make sure that Charlotte was well looked after. “Obviously, it wasn’t your fault that you got attacked. If anything, it’s my fault. And I’m sorry about that, I really am. But this is the way it has to be.”

 

Charlotte sighed. “Look, I understand that you’re worried, but I can take care of myself. Now that I know I have to be on guard, I won’t get blindsided again.”

 

“Well, I’m not taking that chance.”

 

Lois and Clark exchanged a look. Clearly, there was something deeper going on for both Jonathan and Charlotte, otherwise they wouldn’t be getting so defensive, though neither one seemed interested in talking about what was actually bothering them. 

 

“You can’t tell me what to do,” Charlotte said, jumping up from the chair and glaring down at Jonathan. “You’re not my keeper.”

 

“Of course I’m not,” Jon agreed, mortified by the thought. “Don’t be ridiculous, I just want you to be safe.”

 

“And I just want–”

 

“Hey guys, why don’t we take a break,” Clark suggested. “It might be good to have some time apart and really think about what’s really going on here.” Before one of you says something you will regret, thought Clark.

 

“Yeah, nobody’s picking sides or deciding anything, let’s just take a moment and all calm down,” Lois said, joining sides with her husband.

 

“I think that’s a great idea,” Beth said, jumping on board as well. “Charlotte, you wanna come with me?”

 

“Yeah, sure,” she said, without hesitation. Jon’s parents were right, it was probably good that she stepped away before she said something she would regret. Didn’t Jon understand how difficult it was for her to be honest about what had happened? He was usually much more reasonable than this, so why on earth was he being so stubborn?

 

One of the first things that Charlotte had liked about Jon was that as attentive as he could be, he never forced her into anything. That was important for her. Maybe she should explain why that was so important…

 

Actually, what she needed first was to get out of the room.

 

When Beth and Charlotte were gone, it was Jordan who spoke up first. “What do you need, bro,” he asked Jonathan, getting straight to the point. Jordan was pretty sure that he knew the answer, but after everything his twin had been through, he wasn’t going to make decisions for Jon, he was going to give his brother whatever he needed.

 

Jon slid his gaze over to his brother and simply said, “You.”

 

No one in the room was particularly surprised by that sentiment or had a problem with it. The simple truth was that when things got bad, Jordan and Jon gravitated towards each other–they always had.

 

“We’ll give you some time then,” Clark said, a note of finality to his voice.

 

When the room was clear and the door shut for privacy, Jordan zipped over to take the chair that Charlotte had occupied earlier. “Talk to me bro,” he said simply, determined to be there for Jon with whatever he needed.

 

~~~~~

 

Beth led Charlotte to her personal office, knowing the girl would probably prefer the privacy.

 

She did.

 

Though they hadn’t known each other long, Charlotte was completely at ease with Beth. There was just a sense of trust with her. It was kind of hard to describe but Charlotte didn’t care. She needed to get this out.

 

“Why is he being like this? I’m an adult, I don’t need to be controlled. And why is he not even trying to have a discussion. He’s just telling me the way it’s going to be. How is that fair?”

 

“You’re right,” Beth said. “You shouldn’t have to be controlled by anyone else.”

 

“Thank you,” Char said, relieved she picked the right person to talk to. “Jon just cannot seem to see reason with this whole thing. I just don’t see why he’s freaking out over this.”

 

Beth had joined Charlotte on the couch in the office and was looking intently at the other woman. “Do you think there’s a chance that this isn’t about controlling you, that there’s something else going on here?”

 

Charlotte shrugged. “What else could it be? You heard the way Jon was talking back there.”

 

“Yes, but I’ve also known Jon a long time, and he’s one of the most calm, levelheaded young men that I’ve ever met. So, if he’s acting out of character, there must be a reason.”

 

Charlotte paused for a moment. She had never considered why Jon was being so demanding, he just focused on what Jon had been saying.

 

“I guess, I never really thought about it that way,” she admitted.

 

Beth smiled. “I kind of assumed that,” she said, patting Charlotte comfortingly on the shoulder. “And if I were to guess, Jon is going through the same thing he’s not thinking about why you don’t want extra protection, he just hears that you don’t.”

 

“And that upset him,” Charlotte realized.

 

“Yes, it appears so,” Beth agreed. “But let’s not talk about Jon. Let’s talk about you.”

 

“Me? What would we need to talk about me for? Jon’s the one with the problem,” Charlotte insisted.

 

“Actually, I think you both have a problem that you aren’t talking about.”

 

Charlotte scoffed. “What kind of problem would I have?”

 

Beth gave the young woman an imploring look. “You tell me. You’re the one who seems to be focusing on the idea of Jon controlling you. All Jon has said is that he wants you protected, that alone doesn’t sound like he’s being controlling to me.”

 

“Well yeah…but…it just…”

 

“Charlotte, why don’t you tell me what’s really going on here.”

 

“I don’t know what you mean, “Charlotte whispered, looking away from Beth’s intense gaze.

 

“I’ve been a therapist long enough to know that there’s something more going on here. And if I had to guess, something that you don’t talk about much.”

 

Charlotte’s jaw dropped and she was shocked into silence. How could Beth possibly know that?

 

Luckily, she wasn’t intimidated by Charlotte’s lack of a response. “I’d like to remind you that I am a professional therapist and anything you say to me in this office is entirely confidential.”

 

Charlotte bit her lip, clearly considering the proposition.

 

“I don’t have to tell Lois, Clark, or even my husband. And honestly, if you prefer, I don’t have to tell Jonathan either.”

 

Char looked at the other woman in surprise. “You would really keep a secret from Jonathan if I asked you to?”

 

“Of course. If you need to talk about something with me that you aren’t comfortable sharing with other people, that’s a line I won’t cross, even if you are keeping the secret from your significant other. As long as you are not being harmed in any way right now, I see no reason why this conversation would have to go beyond this room.”

 

Boy, she had hit the nail on the head. Charlotte could one hundred percent confirm that she was totally fine at the moment…but in the past…was she really about to go there? Yes, she thought to herself, it was time.

 

“Could you shut the door please? I don’t want anyone else to know.”

 

~~~~~

 

“I just don’t understand why she has a problem with the extra protection,” said Jon, still completely baffled by the situation. “I mean why would she even want to take the risk of getting attacked again?”

 

“Not sure bro. It does seem a little strange to me,” Jordan admitted.

 

“Right?” Jon had been going off for a few minutes now and Jordan could tell that as upset as he was, he was running out of steam as well. After all, his anger wasn’t the primary issue here. “It just doesn’t make any sense to me. And I need…I need to know that she’s going to be okay when I’m not around,” Jon said, his voice dropping a little bit.

 

And now they were getting somewhere, Jordan thought.

 

“So that’s why you want to insist on constant protection, because you know that you can’t be there for her right now?”

 

“I mean look at me,” Jon said, gesturing to the bed with his good arm. “I’m useless.”

 

“That’s not true. John Henry says your making a lot of progress every day. Dave said the same thing when I asked him.”

 

“You checking up on me now?”

 

“Obviously. You got a point?”

 

Jon chuckled. “No, I guess not. And maybe I’m not entirely useless, but it sure feels like that sometimes, especially after the whole thing with Charlotte. And I know I don’t have superpowers, but I’m the man, you know? I should be able to protect my girl. That probably sounds archaic, but it’s how I feel.”

 

Jordan shook his head. “I don’t think there’s a problem with that. Mom and Dad raised us to be gentlemen and that includes looking out for the women in our lives. And if you physically can’t do that, it’s no wonder that you would be extra concerned about her protection.” Jordan let out a deep breath. The twins didn’t often give each other advice, but at times like this, it was warranted. “Maybe you should tell Charlotte that, you know, just explain your side a little more and why you feel the way that you do instead of just ordering her around.”

 

Jon glanced back up at his brother. “You really think that would work?”

 

Jordan shrugged. “It couldn’t hurt. Besides, if you still don’t agree, then, at the very least she understands where you are coming from, and you can have a real discussion about it.”

 

“When did you get to be so smart,” Jon asked, giving his brother a fond smile.

 

“What are you talking about, I was always this smart,” Jordan retorted, nudging his brother’s shoulder. They still didn’t have all the answers, but when the twins worked together, things got a lot more manageable.

Chapter 64: Compromise

Summary:

After a bit of a disagreement, Charlotte and Jon reunite and try to get on the same page.

Notes:

Thank you all for your patience! Hope you enjoy!

Chapter Text

Charlotte was standing outside on the Miller’s porch. Her tears were mostly dried up now, but she had still told Beth that she needed a few minutes before she went back inside and tried to talk to Jonathan.

 

She had never actually expected that would tell her story to someone, let alone to Beth, someone she hadn’t known long at all…but that’s what had happened.

 

And now…Charlotte wasn’t really sure how she felt. Did she regret it? No. Actually it had been surprisingly cathartic for her. But did she want to tell anyone else just yet…no, definitely not.

 

Even when it came to Jonathan.

 

Yes, he had kept some pretty big secrets, so if anyone would understand the burden of having a shameful past, it was him. But since Charlotte herself wasn’t sure how she felt about everything that happened, she knew she wasn’t ready to talk to Jon yet.

 

Charlotte just hoped that when she was finally ready to be honest that Jon was able to listen to the whole story without being judgemental.

 

But that was a problem for another day.

 

Right now, she had to focus on what she was going to tell her over protective boyfriend. Charlotte knew that Jon thought he was just acting in her best interest, but for Charlotte, being told what to do was one of the worst things because it brought back…memories.

 

As Beth had pointed out, that wasn’t necessarily Jon’s fault. If she wasn’t honest with him, then Jon didn’t know what things not to say.

 

Charlotte took a deep breath. She may not be ready to come forward to Jon about her past, but he had been a great boyfriend. And at the very least he deserved to be treated with respect.

 

~~~~~

 

Jordan was always great to talk to. In fact, most of the time, he was the only one that Jon wanted to talk to about the really serious stuff going on in his life. But the recent argument was between Jon and Charlotte, so when it came down to it, they were the ones that really needed to talk it out.

 

Beth had come in a few minutes ago saying that Charlotte would be in to talk to him shortly, which prompted Jordan to step out to give his brother and girlfriend some privacy.

 

Unfortunately, the moment he was alone, Jon’s mind began racing.

 

When Jordan was in there, Jon had managed to stay in control and focus on the positives. But without his twin, Jon could only imagine what Charlotte would have to say.

 

He definitely hadn’t meant to offend her in any way and was concerned by how upset that she was. But like he had told Jordan, her safety was nonnegotiable, especially when Jon was still laid up in bed.

 

In addition, he was a little more sensitive than usual because of the whole threat of his past with X-K being exposed. Yes, he had never formally been charged and it wasn’t on his record since X-K was not a traditional drug, but the whole situation was complicated enough that it could definitely raise some red flags if the wrong person found out.

 

Jonathan liked his job. Actually, it was more than that. Being head football coach at Richardson was a dream position and even the thought that something as ridiculous as a mistake he made in high school could threaten everything he’d worked so hard for was enough to send him over the edge.

 

He was trying to keep it together since panicking wouldn’t do him much good, but if Jon was being honest with himself, it was difficult. He was worried about his job being on the line, yes, but there were also the mental issues that X-K still brought up after all these years.

 

Jon had learned to live with the feelings of guilt and failure as time had gone on and had grown used to the mental toll that period of his life still took on him occasionally. Most of the time he was able to keep those feelings under control, securely in the back of his mind. He kept those thoughts so hidden that no one in his family knew that he was still plagued by that time period… not even Jordan. 

 

The only one who had the slightest clue was Beth, who had been his therapist since his high school days. And even with her, Jon still hadn’t talked about the X-K stuff in a while, since he was determined to bury it down and not let it get to him anymore.

 

But considering someone was threatening to expose his past…Jon knew that he was going to have to get used to talking about it a lot more and that it was important to be ready for all those feelings to be dredged up again.

 

So if he was going to make it through whatever was coming next, Jon knew that he would need to have a thick skin. He would need to be prepared for dirty looks, gossip, false stories, and the fact that some people who had once been so kind to him might start to treat him differently. Because in a small town, it didn’t really matter what the truth was, people’s perceptions are what mattered.

 

The truth was that Jon had only taken X-K a few times. He never sold it or used it for long periods of time like some people did. But because he had defended his high school girlfriend and had refused to rat out her or any of the other players, Jonathan Kent was blamed for getting the football season canceled, selling space drugs, and bringing a dark cloud on his family and the whole town.

 

It still drove him crazy that the truth was so far from what most people believed, but unfortunately there wasn’t really anything he could do about it. And the way things were going, it seemed like they might be headed towards a very similar situation.

 

Jon tried to remind himself that there was no need to borrow trouble before anything was confirmed, but it was important to be ready for anything–there was a lot on the line.

 

But as worried as he was about whatever might be waiting for him over the next few weeks, he was more worried about his girlfriend–especially considering that the person who had attacked Charlotte was still out there.

 

He didn’t want to take anything away from her, and knew that in most cases she could probably handle herself, but after being in a super family as long as he had, Jonathan knew to take threats seriously. Even when it seemed like an empty threat, Jon had learned not to dismiss those kinds of accusations.

 

Sometimes threats could be dealt with pretty easily and sometimes things could be a little more complicated. But no matter what it was, when it came to his family, any threat was serious. And if he could just convince Charlotte of that, things would be a lot easier.

 

Jon saw the door swing open to reveal his girlfriend standing there. “Hey Char,” Jon said, hoping that he had a peaceful tone to his voice. He didn’t want to fight, he really didn’t, but they were definitely at an impasse, and someone was going to have to give in if the argument was going to be resolved.

 

“Hey Jon,” she said, taking a few steps into the room. “I think we should talk.”

 

“Yeah, that’s probably a good idea. Sit with me,” he asked, glancing over to the chair next to the bed. The discussion they needed to have might be intense, but in Jon’s mind, it was only because he cared about her.

 

Charlotte did in fact sit in the chair that Jon wanted, but she angled her body away from him to put a little more space between them. Jon tried not to take it personally.

 

“I’d like to go first. And I’d like to start by saying I’m sorry,” he said, knowing that a genuine apology could go a long way. “I came in, just insisting the way things were going to be and we didn’t have any sort of a conversation about it. So for that I’m sorry.”

 

Charlotte raised a single eyebrow. “Are you really?”

 

“Yes. I just told you I was.”

 

“So you admit that you were wrong then?”

 

“About just taking over the conversation, yes I was wrong about that,” Jon said, not really sure what Charlotte was getting at.

 

“Okay, so are you saying that I don’t actually need around the clock protection?”

 

“What? No, that’s not what I’m saying,” Jon insisted. This is soooo not where he thought the conversation was going.

 

“So then you aren’t really sorry,” she insisted.

 

“Charlotte, why are you acting this way?”

 

“This feeling that you’re experiencing,” Charlotte said, avoiding his question once again, “would you say it’s…a loss of control?”

 

“Yeah,” Jon exclaimed in a huff. “You’re just telling me how I feel and you’re not even listening.”

 

“And would you say that’s frustrating,” Charlotte asked, her voice still perfectly calm.

 

“Yes of course it’s frustrating because you’re telling me exactly what to…oh,” Jon said,dropping his head. It had taken him a minute but he finally realized what Charlotte was doing. “Instead of just telling me what it’s like to feel out of control you showed me so I could experience it for myself.”

 

Charlotte smiled. It was a risky venture but she needed Jon to understand where she was coming from. She could see his point too, and appreciated that he wanted to protect her, but to be able to reach some sort of compromise, he needed to understand her side.

 

“I was hoping you would figure it out. So now what do you think?”

 

“I think you’re really smart," Jon said, pleased that Charlotte was no longer upset. "And I feel bad for anyone where you work who thinks they can out maneuver you.”

 

Charlotte giggled. “Flattery will get you a lot of things, but not out of this conversation.”

 

Jon smirked. “What if I tell you how beautiful you are? What does that get me?”

 

Charlotte leaned over and gave Jon a chaste kiss on the cheek.

 

Jon closed his eyes and leaned back dramatically against the pillow. “That…was the greatest moment of my life. Nothing that happens next will ever compare to that one kiss.”

 

Charlotte rolled her eyes. “Come on, Jon, I’m trying to be serious. This charming act of yours won’t work.”

 

Jon opened his eyes. “You wanna bet?”

 

“No, not really,” Charlotte said, knowing that she couldn’t resist him when he was being so adorable. “What I want is to finish this conversation.”

 

“Okay," Jon said taking a deep breath, getting back on track. "Then do you mind if I explain where I was coming from. I’m not going to tell you what’s going to happen, I just want to say that I was thinking.”

 

Charlotte nodded. “That would be fine.” She could probably guess what he was thinking, but wanted him to say it. She was willing to have a conversation about anything, but she wouldn’t be told what to do…not again.

 

“When I said I wanted someone in my family watching over you constantly, it’s not because I didn’t think you could handle yourself. It’s just that my family’s dealt with threats before and they need to be taken seriously. I just don’t want you to get hurt, especially when…” Jon glanced down at his leg in the cast. “Especially since I can’t do anything to protect you when I’m still injured. I’m lying here useless while the guy who attacked you is still out there.”

 

Charlotte softened. She knew Jon was probably worried about her, but she didn’t know he was blaming himself. “You’re not useless Jon, you’re healing. There’s a difference.”

 

“Well none of that matters if me being stuck here results in you getting hurt again.”

 

“It’s not your fault, babe. It’s the fault of those jerks that ran into you and caused your accident. But we can discuss that later. The point is, you’re not in Richardson right now but because I’m associated with you, I might be a target. You said your piece, and now I want to say mine. And because fair is fair, I’m not going to tell you how it’s going to be, I’m going to explain my side and then we can compromise. How does that sound?”

 

“That sounds good. I really don’t want to fight. So if we can come up with a solution we can both get behind, then that would be ideal.”

 

Charlotte smiled. She appreciated that Jon was open to compromise. That alone distinguished him from…Charlotte shook her head. It didn’t matter. That was the past. She needed to focus on Jon and resolving their issues.

 

“Okay, so it’s not that I have an aversion to your family checking in on me, it’s the idea of being controlled and constantly supervised that I have a problem with especially…by a man.”

 

Immediately, Jon sat up and reached for Charlotte’s hand. “Why? What happened? Are you okay?” Based on her change of tone, it wasn’t hard to catch on to what she was implying.

 

“I’m fine,” she answered, giving his hand a quick squeeze. “It was a long time ago.”

 

“Okay, well clearly something happened or you wouldn’t still be affected by it.”

 

“I had this boyfriend,” began Charlotte, hoping that she would be able to make it through the abridged version of the story that she planned to tell Jon. “And as you might have guessed, he was pretty controlling. I didn’t think too much of it at first because I believed he had my best interest in mind. But as time went on…I finally realized that his behavior wasn’t normal. Eventually I ended things and vowed never to let myself be controlled by a man again.”

 

Jon stared at her intently. “Why do I get the feeling that you left out some big pieces of that story?”

 

Because I did, thought Charlotte silently to herself. But no matter what Jon said, there was no way she was ready to be honest with him about all of those details. Someday, maybe, but right now, telling him the basics was all she could handle.

 

“There’s a little more to the story, yes, but that’s really all I’m comfortable sharing right now. What’s important is that I’m okay, he’s out of my life forever and that I’m with you.”

 

“So when I tried to tell you how things were going to be…that reminded you of him, didn’t it?”

 

“Yes, it did,” Charlotte admitted. “But I know that you are not him. You’re not anything like he was. And I knew that if I just explained my side we could come to some sort of an agreement that we can both live with.”

 

“First of all, Char, I’m so sorry that I did anything to remind you of that creep. Second, thank you for being honest with me, I’m sure that couldn’t have been easy and I’m happy to do whatever I can for you.”

 

“I have an idea for a compromise. You want to hear it?”

 

“Sure,” Jon said, knowing it was probably better that they start focusing on how Charlotte was going to be safe. “What did you have in mind?”

 

“Well, you already know what I don’t want, so let me tell you some things that I would be willing to do. I have a can of pepper spray at my house that I could start carrying around, and I could make sure it’s right at the top of my purse any time I go outside. Also, we have a security guard where I work. I could have him walk me to my car sometimes. Plus, if it’s late, I could reach out to him when I’m leaving so he could watch the security cameras. How does that sound?”

 

“Those are some good ideas. Could I make a few of my own?”

 

“Of course,” Charlotte said. “I’m open to any suggestions you have as long as we can discuss them.” She gave him an encouraging smile.

 

“Okay, well I’m sure you don’t want my dad or Jordan checking in on you constantly. But what about if they happen to be in the area or are flying over Richardson, do you think they could listen in and make sure everything’s alright?”

 

Charlotte thought for a moment. “I think as long as they left as soon as they saw that everything was fine I would be okay with that. I just don’t want them hovering.”

 

“They won’t I promise,” Jon insisted, grateful that Charlotte had actually taken one of his ideas. “And what about…I mean… do you think that you could maybe check in with me…a couple times a day. Like I’m not demanding a set schedule or anything…but just maybe to give me some peace of mind. It doesn’t even have to be any information on what you’re doing or where you’re at,” Jon said, making a conscious effort not to be controlling, given Charlotte’s past. “But maybe you just send me a funny gif or something random every once in a while…just something to let me know you’re okay.”

 

“I think I could probably do that. I can’t commit to any sort of a schedule, you know how crazy my workday is, but yes, I think that’s a fair compromise.”

 

“Really? That doesn’t feel…controlling in any way,” Jon asked, hating even the idea that someone had treated his girlfriend so terrible.

 

“Definitely not. I appreciate that you want to look out for me and I do get that this threat needs to be taken seriously. But I just need to take care of things on my terms. Someday maybe I’ll be able to tell you more, but for now that’s the best I can do.”

 

“That’s more than enough, Charlotte. I’ll try to keep this in mind going forward. But you gotta be honest with me. If I do something that’s not okay with you or triggers you in any way, you just have to tell me so I know. Because the last thing I want to do is hurt you and I’m really sorry that we got into a big fight.”

 

“I’m sorry too,” Charlotte said, climbing onto the bed so she was close to Jon. “I should have told you sooner and you had no way of knowing any of this since I wasn’t honest about it.”

 

“So now what,” Jon asked, wrapping his good arm around Charlotte’s waist, pulling her closer.

 

“Now, we get to share the best part of fighting…making up,” she answered, softly stroking his cheek.

 

“Oh yeah” Jon said, a slow smile filling his face. “I’m not really sure I know what you mean,” he murmured with mock innocence. “I think I might need some more guidance on what exactly that looks like.”

 

Charlotte leaned closer, her lips barely brushing his. “Kiss me,” she whispered, her breath caressing his mouth.

 

“Yes, ma’am,” he said, his voice quiet and husky.

 

Jon pulled her close, and kissed her passionately, without hesitation. Charlotte was a willing partner, one, because she loved Jon, and two because she knew he wasn’t trying to take advantage of her in any way. Anything that happened between them would be totally consenting from both partners.

 

And though she wasn’t quite ready to be honest about everything with her ex-boyfriend, Charlotte was thankful for Jonathan’s response to what she had told him so far. 

 

Jon wasn’t him, Charlotte reminded herself. She would never had to go back to that ever again, thought Charlotte, pulling Jonathan closer.