Actions

Work Header

Jonathan’s X-K Storyline: Alternate Version

Summary:

A different take on Jon’s X-K arc in which it’s handled differently than in canon & starting with how Clark first addresses the matter. And not just for Jon but for Candice as well. Followed by the two of them being prepared for threats which spell doom for humanity.

{Emergence Of Champions: Volume VIII}

Notes:

Hi everyone how’s it going?

I personally think Jon was provided with a well written arc in terms of character development in regards to his doping in sports storyline. And plus it was also a good one for any youths watching the series to take note of in regards to the consequences of doping in sports while not being preachy despite it being an SJW storyline in my opinion.

Clark however could’ve handled it a lot better than he did and while at first I’d had no problem with his actions someone else pointed out to me how it could’ve all been better handled. That while Jon definitely deserved to be punished he also needed to be comforted. And there were the extenuating circumstances of him possibly feeling left out by his father and brother power wise. As such I’ll be writing an alternative version of Jon’s arc starting after Clark found out which will hopefully present a better handled one. And I’ll also be giving the former’s girlfriend Candice her own development as well.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Setting: Smallville

Location: Lane-Kent Family Home

 

Clark was shocked when he was informed by his clearly distraught wife of Jon’s most recent activities, neither of them ever having expected him to take this path in his life despite all they’d done to direct his path and especially considering the strong moral principles they thought he’d always held close to him.

Initially Clark had at first felt tremendous anger towards their son but quickly managed to reign in his emotions knowing he needed to handle this with a clear head. And that also inclined hearing him out like Lois had. And so steeling himself, no pun intended, he’d made his way to his sons room and entered.

Jonathan was currently seated at the edge of his bed, head down, reflecting upon his earlier conversation with his mother, not being able to bear the clear heartache and disappointment within her eyes but knowing he deserved every aspect of it. He then lifted his head upwards and saw his father standing before him.

“Dad?! Oh my gosh you’re back are you alright? I heard what happened and was really worried about you and so was mom and Jordan and I was really scared you weren’t going to come home,” he exclaimed with tremendous relief coursing through him before laying his emotions bare regarding his dad having been taken into custody.

Clark smiled softly.

“Yes I’m back and yes I’m alright. I’m sorry I scared all of you with what happened but I’m here now,” he answered and moved to reassure him.

Jon nodded and smiled.

“I was really scared we were going to lose you forever and I didn’t know how you were going to extract yourself from that situation,” he emotionally stated to his father. “I didn’t even know if you’d be able to and grandpa was making calls but there was no word and I was frightened I’d never see you again.”

Clark sighed and pursed his lips before kneeling before him and clasping ahold of his shoulder.

“Again, I’m truly sorry you had to experience that and no one should ever have to face the possibility of potentially losing their parent. But throughout my time in custody neither you, your brother, nor your mother left my thoughts and heart and it was the 3 of you who kept me going and provided me with the strength I needed to endure what was happening and inspired me to figure out a way to get out of there,” Clark apologized once more while looking directly into his son’s eyes as he continued.

“But know that wherever I am and regardless of what situation I’m impeded by I will always do my best to return home to you guys and no one and nothing can ever separate me from you guys. For all of you are my home and no matter what I will always fight to return home to you all. Okay?” he further reassured Jon and just as emotionally while the young man in turn nodded.

Clark smiled after which his face morphed into a grave expression.

“With that settled, we need to have a serious discussion about your recent activities,” he stated seriously to which Jon gulped then nodded. Pleased he had his son’s attention, Clark continued.

“Your mom informed me of what you’ve been up to and I just cannot believe you would do something like this. This is not how your mother and I raised you and this is more than disappointing towards us both and we both thought you knew better. You know as well as anyone else that doping in sports is more than highly serious plus an unfair disadvantage and I’m sorry but you really crossed a major line here and should be ashamed of yourself,” he said to him with a firm tone and Jon nodded.

“You’re right dad and I am ashamed of myself. Very much so and you’re right. This is not how you and mom raised me and I royally screwed up and in one of the worst ways possible,” he completely agreed with his dad while holding himself back from crying. “I want you to know however that I was actually going to quit doing it this afternoon since like you said I was completely out of line. Very recently but some sense was knocked into me which thankfully opened my eyes towards my wrongdoing and as such but when I was offered more of the X-K today I refused, not wanting anything more to do with any of it and stood my ground. But it was at that moment the principal and school security caught me with the stuff and you know the rest. I foolishly thought they were going to go easy on me due to my solid academic record and that it was my first truly serious offense. I had to learn the hard way however that it wasn’t the case.”

Clark nodded upon hearing that while pleased to hear Jon had come to his senses.

“I see, and I’m happy to hear you acknowledge the wrongness of your actions. I’m also glad you decided to quit and no longer engage in that activity for it’s never too late to do the right thing and I’m proud of you. Nevertheless the fact that you were doping still needs to be answered for and since actions have consequences. But I need to ask what caused you to go in that direction in the first place and violate all of the standards your mother and I raised you by?”

Jon looked down.

“Like I told mom earlier, I felt like everyone in this family was great at something and therefore wanted to be the same. Plus I didn’t mention this to her but I’ve also been feeling a bit jealous towards you and Jordan having powers and was craving that experience and the X-K gave me a short cut to it. Plus I really wanted to start the football season in order to move forward front the mess Uncle Tal put us through,” he explained before continuing.

“I also heard how Timmy was taking the substance and his attitude about it annoyed me and so I foolishly decided to stoop to his level to keep up with him even though I knew that two wrongs never make a right.

“What I did was wrong however, I should’ve never taken X-K to begin with, I’ve brought dishonor to our family, and I want you and mom both to know that I’m really sorry for all of it and I promise I’ll make it up to you both,”

Clark listened to all his son had to say and pursed his lips, considering the young man’s words. After a moment he responded.

“First of all I’d like to say that it was never my intention to make you feel inferior to myself or to Jordan and if you were feeling left out then I’m truly sorry. And I promise that in the future I’ll make it up to you. But you should’ve come to me about your emotions instead of burying it inside of yourself. And I understand where you’re coming from and am also glad you acknowledged that two wrongs don’t make a right.

“Right now I need for you to tell me who was selling the X-K to you. That’s something you need to do for your own sake. Trust me but it’s not worth it to retain this info. So again, who was your supplier?”

In response towards his father’s question Jon looked away nervously, swallowing. A part of him knew what the right thing to do was and what not only his parents but also morality expected him to do. Despite knowing all of that he instead refused to budge.

“I’m sorry dad. But I can’t tell you that. I’ll accept and endure whatever the consequences for my behavior are and as you, mom, and the school see fit and I deserve them all. But I’m not going to bring up the other person since I don’t want to ruin their lives and especially considering the extenuating circumstances of their own lives. I’m sorry dad.”

Clark shook his head, disappointed.

“So am I son. And there will be consequences and once more I’m proud of you for understanding and accepting that. Though let me be clear in that you’re not doing any favors for yourself or the other person you’re covering for, whoever they are. With that said the first thing that’s going to happen is that tomorrow you’re going to apologize to the high school football team. As for said consequences you’re of course going to be expelled from school though to be clear I have no intention of allowing you to fall back on your academics and as such we’re going to find an alternative source for your education whether it’s online or out of town or somewhere else.

“Finally we’ll be having a long and hard talk about your behavior and reapplying the lessons your mother and I thought you knew in regards to representing this family. Am I clear?!”

Jonathan nodded to his father’s words and firm tone.

“Yes sir. And I really am sorry for everything,” he responded to which Clark nodded in return.

“Good. I want you to know that despite everything you’re still my son and I love you and this won’t change that. But as long as you remain obstinate about revealing who your dealer was and in addition but as a consequence of your own actions you’ll remain expelled from school and also be partially grounded in that in regards to your having a job which will be discussed later this week you’ll only be allowed to go to that job and you’ll only get to hang out with your friends and girlfriend at your job. And I’ll let you continue walking Candice home at night since there is safety in numbers and I know how much you care about her. But being anywhere else other than to your upcoming job, walking her home, or here at home you’ll need mine or your mother’s permission.”

“I understand dad,” Jon agreed, not like he had any other choice but to cooperate though he was showing he would comply with his father’s declarations. He did feel relief however that he did not hate him for his actions and would still love him despite everything. And while he was disappointed he wouldn’t get to hang out with Candice and his friends outside of the current parameters his father had set for him he knew and accepted that he was in no position to argue.

“Now you go ahead and get some sleep alright?” Clark then added, satisfied.

“Okay dad,” his son replied after which they both bid each other good night before Clark exited the room and Jon began getting himself ready for bed.

 

 

 

To Be Continued

Notes:

I hope you all enjoyed this first chapter and this alternative to their father and son talk.

I’ve also decided to stop here since this chapter is long enough in my opinion and I want to have something available for next week.

The next chapter will bring in Lucy Lane and she’ll play a significant role in regards to Jon and Candice’s decisions moving forward. Speaking of which but this version of Lucy will be different than the one we saw within the series.

Have a blessed day.

Chapter 2

Notes:

Hello everyone how are you doing?

I admit that I had not posted anything last week and I apologize for that. I was going to but things did not quite work out with my writing in that I accidentally deleted some of the data within one of my fic documents and then failed on Saturday to finish up another document of mine if I remember correctly in regards to the latter. And so due to all of that I decided to wait until this week to resume posting.

With that said, here’s the second chapter and with Lucy hearing about this.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Setting: Smallville

Location: Lane-Kent Family Home

 

Two days following their father and son discussion and Clark laying down how things were going to be moving forward, he and Lois arranged a family meeting with both of their sons and questioned Jonathan as to where he received the X-K substances. He still refused to answer however which further disappointed his parents who both informed him that their town’s football season had been cancelled while Clark sternly called out Jonathan regarding his current lack of integrity.

Though he was careful not to place the entire blame on him regarding the football season being cancelled since Jonathan had not been the only one using, vocally acknowledging to him that it was as just much the currently unknown dealer’s fault plus the other high school football athletes faults as it was Jonathan’s fault, perhaps more so in regards to the former individuals since they had been making their own bad decisions regarding this long before Jonathan got involved.

At that moment his father in law summoned him and therefore he had to go in case it involved info regarding the corrupt and former lieutenant Anderson’s whereabouts. After bidding his family goodbye he then sped away after which Lois informed Jon on where he’d be working and that she’d convinced the school principal to allow him to continue his studies with the school but online as long as he did the work and turned it in at the proper time which he readily agreed to.

Following that she dropped him off at work and Jordan at school before returning home and busying herself around the house until noon arrived after which she plopped onto the living room couch and sighed. She desperately wished Jon would just come clean instead of worsening his situation but as long as he remained stubborn there was nothing to be done. She could only hope that he’d see reason and the sooner the better.

Lost in her thoughts it took a while before she finally ascertained the buzzing noise emanating from her cell. Pulling it out and checking the caller I.D. she saw that it was her beloved sister Lucy and with a smile she answered it.

“Hey Luc. How are things?” she greeted her, pleased to hear her sister’s voice.

“Things are good thanks for asking. Listen but my current shift at the D.O.D. has ended and so would you be willing to spend the afternoon out with your baby sis?”

“I’d love that and that’s something I definitely need right now,” Lois answered while feeling relieved by the much needed distraction.

“Great. Let’s meet at the diner then. I don’t know about you but I could use a double cheeseburger with fried onion rings right now,” she replied, also pleased, then suggested.

“Sounds good. See you then,” Lois affirmed before ending the call and then putting her beige coat back on and heading out the door to meet with her sister.

 

~~~~~~~


Location: Victoria May’s Diner

 

After she entered the diner Lois turned and approached the booth where Lucy was seated who upon seeing her lifted herself from her seat and approached her big sister before they pulled each other into an embrace until parting after which Lucy returned to her seat and Lois took hers across from the former’s. They then ordered their lunch and the waitress jotted it down then left their table.

As the two sisters chatted about their day, the young major noticed that something about Lois’s current demeanor was off and that there seemed to be a hint of melancholy written upon her face. And she didn’t even need her military training to see it since despite the latter’s best to try and hide it Lois was clearly radiating a lot of anxiety.

“You okay Lois? You seem distracted. Almost vacant even,” she questioned gently while frowning in concern.

Lois sighed.

“Actually I haven’t been doing that great. There’s just been some stuff going on at home that Clark and I are just trying to deal with. Some stuff involving the boys. Well Jon actually. It’s a huge mess and we just don’t know what to do,” she explained and bemoaned causing her sister’s concern to further deepen at her words and the clear distress written upon her face.

In response Lucy reached over and clasped her hand.

“I’m so sorry to hear that but whatever it is you can tell me. I deeply care about both of my nephews and you and Clark should not have to shoulder whatever this burden is alone. If you don’t want to tell me or wish to keep this matter between the 4 of you then I’ll respect that. But please know that I’ll always support you no matter what and if you’re willing to open up about the current situation or anything else I promise I’ll do whatever I can to assist if you’ll allow it or even if you need to unwind,” she softly said to her while staring directly into the latter’s eyes, her own eyes shining with love and support for her sister, and squeezing her hand.

Hearing her gentle words of reassurance plus seeing the compassion flowing from her caused Lois to feel emotionally overwhelmed and returning her squeeze she found herself pouring out everything involving Jon, the X-K, his anonymous dealer, and his refusal to reveal their identity. Once she’d concluded sharing everything Lucy’s mouth had dropped open in shock while she stared at Lois in disbelief.

“Wow. I honestly don’t know what to say and I just can’t believe he would allow himself to be involved in stuff like this. This is not the Jonathan I know,” she expressed in disbelief while trying to wrap her head around it. Not her Jonathan.

Lois shook her own head.

“Well this is not the Jonathan his father and I know either and I just wish he’d understand the gravity of keeping silent about what he knows and how it could ruin his life and especially since it’s causing everyone here to think he was the dealer and I just don’t want his future to be jeopardized,” she emotionally responded and lifted up her hands into the air in an expression of frustration, clearly more than concerned on what impact all of this would have upon his life moving forward. “At least he’s repented of his actions and admitted he was wrong and neither Clark nor I believe he was the one selling which is a small blessing at least. But still.”

The sisters food then arrived at that moment, consisting of two double cheeseburgers, a serving of fried onion rings for two, a large bucket of fries, and two soft drinks. They politely thanked the waitress with warm smile before digging into their food. As they consumed it an idea came to Lucy’s mind.

“If it’s alright with you, do you think that maybe I could have a conversation with my wayward nephew and perhaps get him to see reason? Hopefully a heart to heart talk between us can persuade him to not allow his own life to be ruined. But only if it’s okay with you,” Lucy suggested.

Lois titled her head in thought as she considered her sister’s offer before nodding.

“Sure if you want and if you think it will help. At this point Clark and I are out of options and frankly any assistance in opening up our son’s eyes would be more than welcome. Heck you could even try tonight after Jon returns home from work,” she agreed with a sigh, hoping Lucy would have better success, then suggested as to when Jon could speak with his aunt.

“Alright then, and I’ll see what I can do. Just leave it to your baby sister try and sort things out,” Lucy smiled reassuringly and gave her older sister’s hand another squeeze.

Lois in turn gave her a tearful smile.

“Thanks so much Luc and I really appreciate this. I just hope you’ll succeed in where we’ve clearly been failing,” she responded gratefully.

“So do I, and let’s hope for the best shall we?” Lucy agreed and suggested to which Lois nodded once more as they continued eating their lunch until they’d consumed it entirely. Following this they left the diner and visited a few shops and other locations throughout the town and enjoyed themselves while it all provided a welcome distraction for Lois from current matters at home. Eventually the sun began to recede as the light of the afternoon transitioned to evening upon which the Lane sisters finally decided to head back to the Kent Farm.

 

~~~~~~

 

Location: Lane-Kent Family Home

 

Clark had also returned home that evening and he was currently reclining on the couch with his wife and sister in law discussing with them the day’s happenings when Jonathan had finally returned home. Jordan on his part had already arrived home and was currently upstairs. When Jonathan had entered through the door he was surprised to see his aunt seated with his parents.

“Oh hey Aunt Lucy. I didn’t know you were here,” he greeted her in surprise who in response graced him with a warm and loving smile.

“Yeah well your mom and I decided to spend the afternoon together after which I headed back here with her and we continued hanging out until your father returned home. For the record I’ll be spending the night here since it’s gotten late and all,” she kindly explained to him to which he nodded.

“Okay, um that’s cool. And I hope the two of you had fun,” he said to them both in understanding.

“We did thanks. And how about you Jon? How was your first day?” Lois acknowledged him and then kindly questioned her son regarding his time at work.

“It was good. Um it was good Mr. Alloway was happy so,” he answered to which his parents and aunt nodded, pleased with the positive report.

“What took you so long to get home?” his father then questioned him kindly. “Shall I assume you were walking Candice home?”

“Yeah, I was. Until we were attacked by this dude though we’re both alright now,” Jon explained to which his parents and aunt gasped in response.

“Wait what?!” Lois demanded in shock.

“Why what happened?” Lucy also questioned with mouth open and eyes wide in tremendous worry towards her nephew.

“Yes son what exactly happened?” Clark questioned as well with concern and a hint of firmness wanting to get to the bottom of this for his son’s safety. Jon on his part explained to them all how they’d been ambushed and that the guy had tried to kidnap Candice but then his brother had arrived and had used his powers to rescue them and taken down the guy. He however refrained from sharing with them as to why the guy accosted them and Candice in particular.

Lucy however could tell from his body language that he was withholding something and suspected it involved the reason why the guy had come after them. She also suspected that the answer might include the underlying reveal as to where her nephew had received the X-K.

“Well I’m pleased to hear that you both are safe though we’ll need to have a word with Jordan on this. In fact why don’t you go ahead and have some fun hanging out with your aunt in you and your brother’s room and send your brother down please,” Lois requested of her son while giving Lucy a subtle nod.

Her younger sister in response took the hint and invitation to what they’d discussed earlier regarding getting to the bottom of whatever Jon was hiding.

“Yeah that’s actually a great idea and I’d love to spend some quality time with one of my favorite nephews,” Lucy agreed with a wide smile.

Jon on his part nodded again in response.

“Okay then, um, let’s go I suppose,” he replied with a small smile after which his aunt removed herself from the couch and together the aunt and nephew went upstairs to his room while the former girded herself for the conversation she was about to have with him.

 

 

 

To Be Continued  

 

Notes:

And now we’ve reached the moment in which Lucy will try to get through to her nephew. However the question is will she succeed? We’ll of course have to wait until the following chapter to find out.

Regarding Lucy, but this version’s history is the same as her pre Crisis Earth-1 doppelganger in regards to her time with the military though she has a better relationship with her father like the series version of Lois does. And so she never joined Allie’s cult. She also knows about her family’s Super secret and that Jordan has abilities.

Thanks so much everyone for reading and for the kudos.

Until next time have a great day.

Chapter 3

Notes:

Hi everyone how are you all doing?

Here’s the third chapter & with it the aunt and nephew talk.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Setting: Smallville

Location: Lane-Kent Family Home

 

Jonathan and Lucy were currently seated within the former’s bedroom while Jordan had already been sent down beforehand to converse with his parents regarding his using his abilities to rescue his brother. As they sat and comfortably chatted about different fun stuff their conversation eventually shifted to the subject Jon would’ve rather avoided but that Lucy knew needed to be brought up.

“I want you to know that I love you, am more than proud to have you as a nephew, and none of that will ever change,” she began gently while smiling at him before her face morphed into a sad and disappointed frown. “However I won’t lie and say I’m not currently disappointed in you over the X-K mess you got yourself into and I know your parents taught you better than that,” she then expressed to which Jon looked down in shame.

“You allowed yourself to get caught up in an unofficial drug substance and in turn gave yourself an unfair advantage and I’m sure you know that doping in sports is a highly serious issue regardless of age and as a high school athlete can significantly ruin your chances of ever participating in professional sports if it hasn’t already,” she further stated before her face then transitioned into a reassuring smile. “However and while I am disappointed in you, I’m also deeply proud of you for deciding not to continue participating in this and instead finally realized the error of your ways and I also believe along with your parents that you yourself are not the drug dealer which is a tremendous boom for all of us.

“I’m also proud of you for taking responsibility for actions and not making excuses.

“None of that’s enough however and what you need to do is come clean as to who your dealer is. Please Jon. It would break my heart if your life were ruined and especially if you allow everyone to believe you were the dealer.”

Jon sighed.

“I hear you Aunt Luc. Believe me I do and I know all of this is serious and what you and mom and dad want. And I swear I’m not trying to sabotage my own life. But I can’t. I know I should and that it’s the right thing to do but I just, um, I just, can’t. It’s just that this person, the one doing the, you know. Their life would be entirely ruined and I can’t do that to them, it’s just that I…….”

“You care for this person very deeply. Someone that means more than anything to you. Don’t you?” she softly finished for him in understanding to which he responded with a silent nod. Lucy nodded back and with her own lips pursed before questioning him as to what she was starting to suspect.

“Would this person in any way have a connection to you and your girlfriend being attacked tonight and the reason why or even a connection to this whole X-K mess?” she probed further to which her nephew didn’t answer though the expression upon his face affirmed her suspicions.

Moving her hand she gently rested it underneath his chin and used it to turn his head over to face her while staring into his eyes.

“Between your girlfriend and that young man who violently came after the two of you, I can’t see you throwing your life away over the latter and so shall I assume it’s the former you’re covering for?” she questioned him further while continuing to hold his gaze. He squirmed a bit wishing he was anywhere but there but she continued to hold his attention.

“It’s Candice isn’t it?” she questioned him yet again, her voice gentle though insistent and with a clear hint of firmness while her eyes glowed with a particularly intense expression that only someone trained within the military could give. Jon was left cowed by it and he swallowed in response before finding himself nodding in confirmation. And then before he could stop himself he found himself emotionally pouring out everything to his aunt.

He shared with her regarding Candice’s current predicament and the near severity of it, how she was trying to make ends meet for her ailing father and those pertaining circumstances she was forced to endure, that she’d become a dealer to bring income into their home and pay for her father’s medical bills, and plus the fact they’d been forced to relocate from place to place. Lucy on her part listened silently, absorbing the info while finding her heart breaking for the young woman.

It did not mean she condoned what Candice was doing. Not at all and especially since it had played a major role in getting her nephew in trouble though not to excuse Jon’s own choices. But Lucy felt empathy for her and found it terrible that the latter was in that sort of situation. Something which no teen should ever be in and especially since parents should be the ones taking care of and providing for their teens and not vice versa.

“I see. That is truly an awful situation Candice is going through and I completely understand the extenuating circumstances. No youth should have to go through that and she shouldn’t need to be the one who has to take care of her father. And I now understand why you feel the need to protect her,” she voiced in sympathy and Jon nodded.

“Her dad doesn’t have anyone else and if I told on her then not only would she be going through what I’m currently going through, which I completely deserve, but she’d also lose the source of income she needs to pay for her dad’s bills. Plus they might even have to move again and it’s not an experience I want either of them to repeat. I just don’t want to see that happen to her. To either of them. Or for her dad’s health to decline if he doesn’t continue receiving the treatment he needs,” he explained to his aunt who sighed before enfolding him into her arms and holding him close while shaking her head sadly over this entire messy situation.

“Again, I am so sorry to hear all of that and what your girlfriend is going through. This is definitely a complicated situation,” she voiced while continuing to hold her nephew before releasing him. “However what you’re currently doing isn’t the way to help her but instead you’re only making her situation worse and not just yours,” she continued. “In fact her situation could significantly worsen the longer you remain silent.”

Jon looked up at her with a puzzled expression.

“What, um, what do you mean?” he questioned her with confusion evident within his tone.

Lucy sighed then wrapped her arm around his shoulders before explaining.

“What I mean is that while her intentions and yours are noble and I completely understand the extenuating circumstances, there’s a saying that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. You see but if you allow Candice to get away with this she might be encouraged to do something else wrong later down the road but for the right reasons and if that continues then her future actions could transition into something darker and far worse until her moral compass is skewed and her originally noble intentions fade away should she take pleasure in those actions leading them to worsen further until she ends up in prison or worse. Is that really, as a loving boyfriend, something you want for her future?”

Jon in response looked down nervously while absorbing his aunt’s words and their implication, not having considered the situation from that angle. But he couldn’t deny she was making perfect sense while beginning to feel apprehensive over their future ramifications.

“Frankly but the two of you are not being a good boyfriend or girlfriend to each other. You because of what I just explained and her because by not coming forward she’s allowing your own situation to deteriorate and for you to be in deeper trouble than you already are,” Lucy continued further. “And neither scenario is good. I’m sorry Jon but if this continues then none of this will end well for either one of you.

“As for Candice’s situation I know she can’t officially be employed since she’s not yet 16 even though she probably will be very soon. But I’m certain there are still a number of alternative options for her to explore to aid in her current predicament. Plus from what I’ve seen this town consists of a close knit community and I’m certain they would all rally together to provide aid for her and her father or do something to help their situation. Besides and since your parents were able to provide you with a job to pass the time while you’re grounded and even though you’re still 15 then maybe something similar could be afforded to her so that she can receive income the right way.

“Nevertheless but if the two of you insist upon continuing down this path then I can guarantee you both will lose and have no one to blame but yourselves. And I don’t want that to happen to either of you and especially you Jon since I love you so much.”

Jon was silent as the entirety of his aunt’s words washed over him and the further he mulled over them the more they began to impact him. A sense of dread then overtook him as he could not deny the veracity of everything she’d just explained to him and his eyes were finally opened to the undeniable truth. The truth being that his current actions, which he’d originally seen as noble and were indeed noble in regards to his intent, were actually and nonetheless detrimental towards both him and Candice in the long run.

“What am I doing? Heck what have I done?” he thought to himself with apprehension, shaking his head regarding the lack of wisdom of his current decision making.

Lucy meanwhile patiently observed her nephew’s internal musings, desperately hoping that she was finally getting through to him.

After some time Jon finally looked up towards his aunt, guilt and embarrassment coloring his face.

“You’re right Aunt Luc. Everything you said is true and I can’t believe I thought I was in the right by protecting Candice,” he said to her with remorse. “And you’re also correct that my actions were not protecting her but hurting her. Hurting both of us and not to mention further increasing mom’s and especially dad’s disappointment in me and I honestly can’t blame them. Gosh I totally screwed up.”

“Yeah Jon you did. You most certainly did but thankfully you’re finally awakening to that and therefore I couldn’t be more proud of you,” Lucy affirmed then smiled, pleased her efforts were successful and that he’d finally seen reason. “But the question now remains as to what you’re going to do moving forward.”

That was definitely a good question and Jon already knew the answer in his heart of hearts. And so making his decision he then spoke up once more.

“I need to turn her in. Tell my parents and the principal the truth,” he said to his aunt before adding, “But could you please not say anything to them for now? I’d like to speak to Candice first,” and with a pleading expression upon his face.

Lucy nodded in understanding.

“Of course Jon. I’ll keep silent for now though there will be a limit and that’s because I love you. But I only hope you’ll both do the right thing,” she agreed but gently warned him and meaning it to which he nodded.

“Fair enough,” he agreed after which they embraced each other tightly once more followed by a quick kiss from his aunt upon the side of his forehead. They then bid each other goodnight and Lucy exited his room and climbed back down the stairs as Jordan was climbing upwards and towards her after his conversation with his parents. Them having told him that they were proud of him for rescuing his brother but warning him to be careful and not to be reckless with his abilities. Stressing how paramount it was to protect their family secret which he understood. As Jordan passed his aunt they also shared a quick embrace with Lucy bidding him goodnight before he continued the trek upstairs to his and his brother’s room.

As Lucy continued down the stairs she decided then and there that she needed to ensure that Candice would do the right thing and therefore she decided a second conversation was in order but this time with the young woman herself. And before Jon spoke with her. She wasn’t going back on the agreement she’d made with her nephew since she was still giving him the chance to speak with her first before he told his parents.

But she wanted to make certain that both youths would be on the same page in making the correct decisions moving forward. And so tomorrow morning she would do exactly that and for their own good.

 

 

 

To Be Continued

 

Notes:

I hope you all enjoyed their heart to heart conversation and that it was hopefully satisfactory for you.

And now that Jon has let go of his stubbornness and is willing to make the correct decision, the next chapter will feature our second conversation but this time between Lucy and Candice. Though we’ll see if the former gets through to the younger woman just like she got through to her own nephew.

Have a great day.

Chapter 4

Notes:

Hi everyone how’s it going?

Yep it’s been a significantly long while but I‘be finally returned for now and with this next chapter. And now let’s see if Lucy will also manage to convince Candice of the latter’s own error.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Setting: Smallville

Location: Pergande Residence

 

The sun ascended over the horizon the following morning, rousing Candice from her slumber. Signaling to her that it was time to prepare for her day. Therefore she stretched herself before removing herself from her bed and making her way to the bathroom. Which was adjacent to her bedroom.

After showering she then exited it and returned to her bedroom where she put on her chosen attire for the day and packed into her backpack the necessary school essentials she required. She then headed into the kitchen where she prepared a ham and cheese sandwich for her father to consume whenever he finally emerged from his drunken slumber. Having consumed a significant amount of beer following whatever secretive business he’d been conducting the previous evening. Business Candice had suspected was probably shady but hadn’t pressed.

Regrettably but this was not the first instance her father had overdone it with his alcohol consumption. As a matter of fact but his routine primarily consisted of regular drinking, causing trouble at different locations such as bar fighting and disturbing the peace, gambling, and whatever unknown business he’d conducted behind her back.

Not that she had any authority to judge considering her activities with the X-K and that was something she was more than aware of. But Candice was nonetheless deeply concerned for her father’s safety and especially since however he was receiving their money might’ve been far worse and more dangerous compared to her actions. And especially with his penchant for trouble which she’d had to repeatedly bail him out of.

He’d also been unappreciative of her actions to maintain the smooth running of their household. Taking her for granted and at times responding to her in ways that somewhat resembled emotional abuse. Though she’d excused it by reasoning to herself that he was under a significant amount of stress. They both were. It’s also what prevented Candice from succumbing to the emotional pain resulting from it. And in turn further doubling her efforts to be the perfect daughter.

Once her father’s sandwich was prepared she’d headed out the door and headed off to school. Unaware that someone within their vehicle was observing her from a distance. Once she began her walk the aforementioned individual then drove up until they were beside her before rolling down their window.

“Hello Candice. Headed to school I presume?” the woman inside greeted the other younger female.

Candice jumped. startled. Before quickly recovering then turning her head to face the woman who’d just addressed her. Seeing it was an older brunette who for some reason slightly resembled Mrs. Lane-Kent. At least to her.

“Uh, yeah. I’m sorry but who might you be exactly?” the 16 year old woman answered in the affirmative before countering with her own question. Curious as to who the other woman’s identity.

The latter smiled warmly.

“Forgive me. I’m Lucy Lane. Your boyfriend’s aunt and his mother’s sister,” Lucy introduced herself before extending her hand out for Candice to take. To which the younger woman did. The 2 of them shaking hands.

“His aunt? I mean I didn’t know Jon had an aunt,” she responded. Her eyes widened in surprise.

“It’s not exactly common knowledge so I don’t blame you,” Lucy chuckled good naturedly.

Candice smiled back.

“Thanks. And it was very nice to meet you Miss Lane. I guess I’d better be going now,” she replied amicably before preparing to head off once more before Lucy addressed her once more.

“You know, it’s only 30 minutes before school starts and I’d be pleased to become further  acquainted  with the young woman whose stolen my nephew’s heart. And so how about I take you out for breakfast? My treat.”

Candice eyebrows raised at the unexpected offer. Though she could not deny it wasn’t appealing and especially with her stomach rumbling in agreement. Though she was hesitant.

“Are you sure? I don’t want to impose and I can get something at lunch later,” she politely questioned. Uncertain if the other woman was only being polite and not wanting to be a bother.

“It’s no imposition I promise,” Lucy reassured her. “Besides we need to ensure a growing young woman such as yourself is properly nourished. Come on. My treat.”

Candice shrugged in response. Not having anything to counter. Followed by walking around to the passenger side of the vehicle before her and then entering it. Closing its pertaining door afterwards. Lucy then began the drive to the local diner where they would purchase their breakfast.

 

~~~~~~

 

Location: Victoria May’s Diner


Upon their arrival and after they’d claimed their chosen booth Lucy ordered them one pancake each plus some scrambled eggs and half a cup of blueberries. Along with beverages consisting of a cup of coffee, decaf, for herself and a small glass of chocolate milk for Candice.

After the waitress had received their orders and left to call it in the 2 of them began conversing. Sharing info about themselves such as how Candice and her father came to reside in Smallville and her impression of that town. Candice admitting she’d really enjoyed living there and the friendships she’d formed. But adding that out of everything else her relationship with Jon was the absolute best thing she’d received. Finding him to be a huge improvement compared to the previous young men she’d dated and someone who truly respected her as a person. And nor did he try to pressure her into anything.

Lucy smiled. Pleased with the glowing report surrounding her nephew. Agreeing that her current companion had chosen well.

She also shared some of her own life with Candice such as a bit of what her life was like growing up with Lois and being raised inside of a military family. Also regaling her with a few tales of Jon’s funniest moments as a child which made his current girlfriend laugh in amusement.

Their breakfast then arrived and after they’d thanked the waitress they’d immediately dug in. As they consumed their pancakes and sipped their respective beverages Lucy decided it was time to broach the main subject in regards to why she’d approached Candice.

“For the record, and while my intentions in further making your acquaintance were genuine, I’ll admit there was another primary motive in inviting you for breakfast,” she carefully began. Keeping her tone warm.

Candice paused mid bite in response. Not having expected that and it leaving her curious and suddenly worried.

“Ooookay. And what might that be?” she slowly replied then questioned with hesitance. Wondering as to what Lucy wanted to speak with her about.

Lucy took a deep breath before continued.

“Frankly but it has to do with you, my nephew, and your shared involvement with the X-K,” she answered her. Deciding to just be straightforward instead of beating around the bush.

The young woman before her paled in response. Her lips opening and closing while her chin quivered in fear. Eyes darting around while her own heart pounded rapidly.

“I, um, it’s, not, um, it’s just that, umm,” she stuttered while attempting to formulate a response. “Listen Miss Lane please don’t blame Jon for this. This is entirely my fault and he’s only been trying to protect me and if it hadn’t been for me he wouldn’t have gotten suspended and oh my gosh now he’s in huge trouble and I’m such an awful girlfriend but please Miss Lane please don’t hate him and please ask his parents not to hate him for this is all on me it’s entirely my ….,” Candice finally blurted out and then began rambling before she felt a soft hand resting comfortingly upon her own. Causing her to cease her emotional ramblings and impassioned pleas.

“It’s alright Candice and I understand completely,” Lucy softly assured her. Leaving the young woman surprised once more.

“You do?” she questioned the younger Lane sister. Some of the tension evaporating from her body.

Lucy nodded sympathetically while rubbing soothing circles upon her hand.

“Jon told me everything. After I’d convinced him to. It wasn’t hard to deduce who he was trying to protect with his silence and especially with certain obvious clues. He also informed me of your situation and how he’d gotten involved in it,” she explained and with a sad tone. “And I can only say that my heart breaks for you and especially since this is not a responsibility someone your age should have to endure. Though I completely support teens assisting in maintaining the smooth operation of their household. Yet it still should not have been a burden hoisted upon your shoulders.

“I also understand the entirety of why Jon and yourself made the decisions you made and how they were noble on a surface level. Decisions conceived from selfless love. Love towards your father and Jon’s love towards you.”

Lucy’s facial expression then transitioned into a more serious one.

“Nevertheless and while your respective actions are noble on a surface level that does not make them acceptable. You’re literally involved in drug selling and while the X-K you’re selling is not officially illegal it is theft since it’s currently been relegated as military property. Something that could result in severe trouble for you and especially if you were not a minor. And I know this since I’m a major within the army and serve directly underneath my father as a D.O.D. member.”

Candice’s eyes immediately shot up upon hearing Lucy’s profession and she found herself starting to panic.

“Don’t worry. I’m not here to arrest you. Both because you’re a minor and especially since I completely understand the position you’re in,” the young major quickly moved to reassure her. “I just wanted to magnify the severity of your actions and it appears you’re properly absorbing it,” she added with satisfaction before continuing.

“Beyond that but by providing not only Jon but other members of your school’s football team with the X-K version of performance enhancing drugs you’re not only potentially ruining their lives since doping in sports is extremely serious regardless of age, though it doesn’t excuse their actions in purchasing it from you, but you’re also giving the team an unfair advantage against their competitors. Which is extremely unethical and I’m certain you know better than that.”

Candice dropped her head downwards in shame and remorse. Unable to counter the words the other woman had just spoken. Instead she agreed with her entirely and had not set out to become a drug dealer. But at the time she could not think of any other way to support herself and her father. Especially considering how expensive her father’s hospital bills were.

However and after what Lucy had kindly though firmly reinforced, she was currently starting to wonder if she should’ve further explored other possible solutions.

Lucy meanwhile quietly observed as her words penetrated the mind of the woman seated across from her. She then continued.

“There’s something else and it’s something I’d pointed out to Jon. But neither of you are being a good boyfriend or girlfriend towards each other. The reason being that by his going along with your actions he’s allowing the potential for your morals to become increasingly skewed and I can assure you that’s a significantly real danger regardless of your current intentions. Because while those intentions may have started out as pure, your getting away with this could result in you exploring other immoral or unethical opportunities. And before you know it your intentions will have transitioned from selfless to selfish.

“All of that in turn can direct you towards an extremely dark path. And in turn an ending that’s untenable and with no way to extricate yourself from it.

“On your end but you can easily come forward anytime you wish and confess your own actions instead of permitting my nephew to take the entirety of the blame for himself. It’s not fair to him whatsoever and while he’s rightfully being disciplined for his own actions it’s significantly worse than it should be since the 3 of us are aware that he’s not the dealer. And it could potentially deteriorate to the point that his future prospects besides a football career are ruined. Especially since he’s currently the town pariah due to being the supposed dealer.

“All of that is something you should consider. And you need to ask yourself if the current path you’re traversing on is the correct one for either of you.”

Candice listened quietly to everything that her boyfriend’s aunt was informing her of. Swallowing hard while her body trembled slightly as she absorbed the pertaining ramifications.

“What have I done? What the heck am I even doing? You’re absolutely right Miss Lane I’ve totally screwed up. Worse than that even,” she emotionally acknowledged. “And Jon. Oh my gosh poor Jon. Some girlfriend I am,” she added while her eyes glistened with tears before continuing. “I certainly don’t want him to suffer because of me and you’re totally correct in that this is entirely unfair to him. When I got into this X-K mess with Mikey, the guy who’d hooked me up with this venture,” she’d quickly explained when Lucy raised her eyebrows questioningly at the name before filing it away for future use, “I only did it with the intent to assist my dad and to maintain our household so that we wouldn’t have to continuously moving around. But I’ve completely crossed the line.”

“I’ve made an enormous mess of things and there’s no one else to blame except for myself. Gosh I messed up and in one of the worst ways possible,” she stated while her tears finally began pouring down her cheeks. Shaking her head in disappointment and anger towards herself.

“You’re absolutely correct in everything you’ve just said. And I’m extremely pleased to hear you take responsibility and acknowledge all of that,” Lucy nodded and commended her. “But you must also understand that it’s never too late to repent and make the correct choices. Therefore the question I have for you is this. What are you going to do going forward?”

Candice took a deep breath, mulling over the question. In the end however she knew what the answer was deep within herself.

“I need to confess. Reveal that I’m the dealer. Not Jon. And accept whatever the consequences are. He does not need to suffer more than he already has because of me,” she admitted. Her tone resolute. “I also need to put an end to my current actions. Remove myself from that operation and everything having to do with it and the X-K. Followed by figuring out how I’m going to support my father in the meantime until I can properly apply for employment in a few months. But first I’m going to inform Jon of what I intend to do.”

Lucy smiled brightly in response.

“Glad to hear it. And I’m so proud of you,” she warmly praised her. “And I agree on you guys needing to discuss things to ensure the 2 of you are in agreement. But this time with the correct decision making.”

Candace nodded in agreement. Her face then transitioned to an expression of contrition.

“I really am sorry for getting your nephew into such trouble Miss Lane. I swear it wasn’t my intention and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me,” she apologized and then implored the older woman.

“I believe you though please don’t place the entirety of the blame onto yourself Candice. Jon’s responsible for his own actions just as much as you are,” Lucy responded in assurance while pointing out that fact. “What’s important is the 2 of you owning up to your respective and shared mistakes and wrongs and practicing better decision making in your futures.”

Lucy then paused for a moment. Pursing her lips in thought. Before speaking once more.

“As for your current predicament with your father’s medical bills, I’m going to take it upon myself to figure out a way to assist you with that. But I promise you won’t have to worry about it anymore.”

“Oh no Miss Lane. You really don’t need to do that. I’m certain I’ll figure out a way for us on my own,” Candice quickly yet respectfully objected. Having no desire for herself or her father to become a burden for the former.

“It’s no trouble I promise. You clearly require the assistance and I’m going to provide it for you. No one should have to endure through what your currently going through and if I can ascertain a way to relinquish you from this burden I will do so.”

The younger woman found herself weeping once more.

“I honestly don’t know what to say. Thank you so much. For everything. And not just the offer but the talk and the for breakfast,” she emotionally replied and expressed her gratitude.

“Of course. And I personally think you’re a solid individual deep inside of yourself. You only need to listen to that side of yourself regularly and I guarantee you’ll experience a more fulfilling life. It won’t be without trouble or difficulty and you’ll probably screw up once more at different points. But it will still allow you to experience more positives than negatives,” Lucy stated and then encouraged her. “Now let’s hurry up and finish this so we can ensure you arrive at school at the appropriate time,” she then added while gesturing towards their food.

Candice in response checked her watch and saw it was 15 minutes before she needed to be there. She then quickly dug into her food once more. Consuming her food in record time together with Lucy.

Once they’d finished, the latter drove her straight to Smallville High and let her out. Candice bidding Lucy farewell and the 2 women promising to remain in touch.

Candice then headed into the school building and as she headed towards her first period of the day she resolved to speak with Jon about her current decision when she saw him at the store later that afternoon following school.

 

 

 

To Be Continued

Notes:

What did you guys think?

As we can see, Candice’s redemption arc is transpiring earlier than in canon. And the following chapter will show her’s and Jon’s aforementioned discussion regarding everything.

Good thing Lucy was present to set these young adults onto the straight path.

Have a great day.

Chapter 5

Notes:

Hi everyone how are you all doing?

And now chapter 5 in which Jon and Candice will discuss the realization that Lucy had opened their eyes to. Followed by their immediate plans regarding the trouble they’d allowed themselves to fall into.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Setting: Smallville

Location: Brit & Dunn’s Quick Mart

 

Jon was currently behind the counter for his second shift that week. Today was an extremely slow day however and so he’d utilized his free time to work on the homework his school had provided for him. His laptop perched upon the counter. Though he always placed it aside to assist the few patrons who’d entered the convenience store that afternoon.

It had been a few hours since school had concluded for the day and he was currently in the middle of completing his latest school assignment while taking his final notes on the subject matter.

The bell attached to the front door then rang at that moment. Alerting him to the presence of another patron and causing him to lift up his head to see what they required. A wide grin then emerged upon his face due to seeing who it was.

“Hey Candice. How was school?” he happily greeted his girlfriend while reaching his head over the counter to kiss her.

“Pretty good thank you. I’m really missing you at school though,” she replied while smiling and moving her own head towards his. The 2 youths kissing briefly before parting.

“Same here. And more than anything. At least we still get to hang out here for a bit while mom and dad have been kind enough to allow me to walk you home in the evenings,” Jon fully agreed and returned her smile while thankfully acknowledging his parents.

“I’m grateful for that as well. And also to your parents,” she replied and just as thankful.

The 2 of them conversed some more afterwards during which Candice shared with her boyfriend how much the guys at school were missing him. Jon on his part showing her the historical assignment he was almost finished with for the day. It pertaining to Julius Caesar’s journey towards becoming emperor. A story which Jon was finding to be fascinating and so was Candice as he informed her of what he’d learned. Including the courage Julius displayed by crossing the Rubicon.

Speaking of courage, Jon decided that it was time to bring up the subject pertaining to his current decision about the X-K. Hoping his girlfriend would understand.

Therefore inhaling a deep breath before steeling himself, he began.

“Listen um, Candice. There’s something I need to say and, well, but it has to do with the trouble I’m currently in with the X-K. Along with the mess we’ve created. Both at school and for our town as a whole,” he began then continued. “But as you know I’ve been taking the rap for you due to your current situation and because I love you.

“Yesterday evening however I received a wake-up call that’s resulted in myself reconsidering everything. Including what’s best for myself and ultimately for both of us. And I don’t know how to say this. But I can’t cover for you anymore. I’m truly sorry and I implore you to please not hate me. It’s just that well, I…..,” he hesitantly continued before trailing off. Apprehensive she would respond by ending their relationship or worse, hating him.

Candice however was able to ascertain where he was going with this and she immediately responded by reaching her hands forward and grasping his. Her heart breaking for him.

“It’s alright Jon and I understand what you’re trying to say. In fact but that’s the primary reason I came here today. And that’s due to receiving my own wake-up call this morning. Therefore but I want to inform you that you don’t need to continue covering for me anymore. It was so wrong of me to put you within that position and I was an awful girlfriend for it,” she sorrowfully stated while staring deeply into his eyes.

“You shouldn’t have had to suffer for my actions and from the bottom of my heart I’m so, so sorry. This is entirely my fault and if you decide you never want to be with me again please tell me now and I’ll walk away and you’ll never see me again. But I am deeply and truly sorry for everything and first thing tomorrow I’m going to confess everything to the principal. And also to the authorities if needed. But I promise I will fix all of this alright?” she added further and with earnestly. A remorseful expression upon her face.

Jon patiently listened to his girlfriend’s impassioned words before removing one of his hands from underneath hers and gently resting it atop of her own hand.

“It’s okay and please don’t beat yourself up so much. You might’ve given me those drugs but it was my choice to take them. And not just my choice but my idea,” he softly responded and emotionally affirmed. “You didn’t approach me but I approached you. I’m responsible for my own choices and should’ve never allowed myself to become mixed up with the X-K. I’m just as responsible as you are and while it was certainly worse for myself due to covering for you I cannot deny I brought it upon myself or that I did not deserve any consequences whatsoever.

“I misrepresented my family and especially by letting everyone in town believe I was the dealer. And I was wrong. But I’m going to also try and make things right and starting with telling my parents everything tonight. I can’t say I’m looking forward to it but it needs to be done.

“And you don’t have to worry about my breaking up with you for that’s not going to happen. I love you Candice and I’m in this for the long haul. And nothing’s going to change that do you understand?”

Candice emotionally nodded to his words and did her best to refrain from crying. Her heart touched by his last few words.

“The 2 of us make one heck of a pair don’t we?” she chuckled while shaking her head in disappointment towards her own actions.

“That we do,” Jon readily agreed and laughed softly. Shaking his own head at their shared stupidity.

The 2 of them then conversed further while Jon finally concluded his homework for the day. At that point the sun was receding as the afternoon transitioned to evening time. And interestingly enough a few extra customers began entering. Causing Candice to position herself to the side while Jon paid attention to them.

Pretty soon though his work at the store was also completed for the day. His employer greatly pleased with it just as he was yesterday.

Jon then bid him farewell before exiting the store with Candice as he prepared to escort her home once more.

Candice however had a different idea in mind.

“Listen Jon. But would it be alright with you if I accompanied you to your home so that I can confess my own involvement to your parents?” she requested.

The young Kent’s eyes widened in surprise.

“Are you sure? You honestly don’t need to do that if you don’t want to,” he questioned her. Just to be certain she was entirely aware of what she was requesting.

“Yes I’m sure. And I really want to. You should not have to go through this alone and we’ve already established that we’re both to blame,” she confirmed and pointed out once more. “And so let’s go see your parents and face the music together.”

Jon nodded.

“As you wish,” he replied before they took ahold of each other’s hands and began heading to the Kent Farm to do exactly that.

 

 

 

To Be Continued

Notes:

How was it? And did you guys enjoy the conversation between Jon and Candice?

Originally I was going to have their following discussion with Clark and Lois within this chapter. But I changed my mind and instead it will be within the next chapter.

Have a great day.

Chapter 6

Notes:

Hi you guys how are you today?

Now we’ll get to witness our formerly wayward and now repentant youths confession to the older Kents first.

And now on with the show.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Setting: Smallville

Location: Kent Farm

 

Upon their arrival, Jon requested to Candice that she wait outside for a moment while he prepared his parents. To which she’d acquiesced followed by him entering his home and stepping into the living room where the latter 2 were seated.

“Welcome back son. And how was work today?” his father greeted then questioned him kindly.

“Pretty good. And just like yesterday. No issues,” he answered him to which Clark nodded and smiled. Pleased.

“I’m delighted to hear that Jon. And it appears we made the correct decision in having you work there,” Lois responded with her own smile.

“Shall I assume you’ve just returned from walking Candice home?” Clark then questioned him further to which Jon inhaled nervously while shuffling his feet.

Lois noticed the odd shift in her son’s mood. Resulting in her expression transitioning to a concerned frown.

“Is everything alright Jon?” she questioned him. Wondering why he suddenly seemed hesitant.

In response he took another deep breath before answering.

“Actually you guys, and about that, but Candice is currently here,” he hesitantly answered then gestured behind him.

“I’m sorry what?” “Woah wait what?” were heard from Clark and Lois respectively. Their eyes wide and their respective eyebrows shooting up in surprise.

“What exactly is Candice doing here?” Clark calmly yet seriously questioned his son. Both of the young man’s parents expectantly awaiting his explanation.

“The reason is because I’m ready to finally confess everything regarding the X-K. Particularly the question the 2 of you really wanted to know. And Candice is actually a huge part of that,” Jon calmly answered them. “I was intending to explain on my own but Candice insisted on accompanying me here since she feels responsible for getting me involved in it. Even though my choices are nonetheless my own.”

Clark frowned in response while Lois pursed her lips. The latter now possessing more than an inkling of where this was leading to.

“Alright then and in that case but please send her in,” Lois allowed and then kindly directed. To which Jon gestured behind him after which Candice entered through the door and quickly transported herself into the living room.

“Hello Mr. and Mrs. Lane-Kent,” she cautiously greeted the older couple.

“Hi Candice. How are you? Please feel free to take a seat,” Clark politely greeted and then invited her to do which she did. Seating herself across from the Kents and Jon seating himself towards her right.

“Okay Candice. What is it that you know about the X-K and our son?” Lois began and questioned her. Her tone level.

Candice swallowed nervously then responded.

“The truth is that I’m the dealer. The one who’s been distributing the X-K to our high school football team. Not Jon. And I’m deeply, truly sorry for getting him into further trouble than he was already. I swear that wasn’t my intention but I still did nevertheless and I was wrong,” she bravely confessed and then apologized.

“It’s true you guys. Candice was the one I was purchasing the drugs from. Along with other members of the football team,” Jon then spoke up and continued where she’d left off. “But when the principal was about to bust her I quickly took the X-K to dispose of it. And it was shortly preceding that moment I’d decided to stop utilizing it. But the principal caught me with the stuff and so I took the rap for Candice. I was also wrong to do that and I’m truly sorry to you guys as well. And I’m also sorry for not coming forward earlier.”

Clark and Lois listened patiently after which Lois sighed while Clark shook his head in disappointment.

“What in the world possessed you to allow yourself to become involved in something like this Candice? And why would you Jon allow yourself to cover for her instead of just revealing to me who it was? Don’t either of you realize the seriousness of all of this?” Clark questioned them. His tone disappointed and mildly exasperated.

Both 15 year olds bowed their heads downwards in shame while Lois gently rested her hand upon her husband’s arm. Rubbing it softly in an attempt to calm him which he was grateful for.

Candice then spoke up once more.

“My dad’s got a heart condition and we’re totally broke. We’ve moved 7 times in the past 9 years. And not into perfect farm houses like this. He can’t keep doing that. And I can’t either.

“Therefore but I’ve been selling the X-K for about 4 months to provide us with an income. Myself our primary breadwinner. And my supplier is a guy from our trailer park. He goes by the name Jeroh.”

“That’s the guy who attacked us last night,” Jon revealed.

Clark and Lois shared a look upon hearing the name. Their expressions grim and especially after hearing that bit of info from Jon.

“Mikey Jeroh. I’ve heard of that guy and while I’ve only lived here for a year even I know he’s bad news,” Lois spoke up and shared with her husband. None too pleased regarding the info she’d learned about the aforementioned and teenaged young man.

“That’s definitely true. And I’ve also heard about him since returning here and with you and the boys. He’s primarily been a major troublemaker and leading our town’s youths astray. Though it sounds like he’s upgraded himself further. And for the worst,” Clark affirmed and shared. “That’s not someone you’ve should’ve allowed yourself to hang out with Candice,” he then very seriously addressed the aforementioned young woman. His tone kind though firm.

“That’s true. I thought I didn’t have a choice but I’ve currently realized I did have one but made the wrong choice,” she agreed entirely. Then continued.

“As for where Mikey supplies himself with the X-K, all I know is that he used to make pickups at this place on old McClellan Road. One thing I’m certain of however is that if his employers, and while I don’t know who they are exactly except that they’re extremely dangerous, but if they should learn I’ve spoken to you guys they’ll probably harm me and my father. That’s something I’m extremely frightened of. But I don’t regret coming forward. And it’s because my love for your son is stronger than my fear of them.”

Clark and Lois nodded. Absorbing her words. They also found themselves greatly admiring her current bravery and especially her final sentence.

“We’re going to work with the information you’ve just provided for us. And considering what you’ve just shared with us I’m going to pass it along to my dad and sister. They’ll know what to do with it,” Lois informed her with a smile.

“My grandpa’s the head of the D.O.D.,” Jon explained to Candice due to her questioning expression pertaining to his grandfather’s role.

“Thank you for also coming forward and sharing this with all of us. And also to you as well Jon for finally doing what’s right by informing us of the truth,” Clark added with an approving smile. “It’s never too late to make the correct decision and earlier events notwithstanding I can always count on you to do that son.”

He then turned his head directly towards Candice.

“I’m truly sorry to hear about your current situation. It’s certainly not a position you should be in but you should instead be enjoying life like a normal teenager,” he softly said to her. His voice flowing with compassion. “It doesn’t mean of course that any member of a household should not contribute to their utmost ability and regardless of age. Or even to not have a paying job as long as it’s legally and morally acceptable. But that entire burden should’ve not have been placed onto your shoulders. And it also pains me that you thought what you were doing was the only solution available to you.

“I understand you felt you were involved in an impossible situation and in some ways I can understand that. Especially since your living conditions in regards to moving around that many times are not something you should be enduring and especially at your age. Plus I also understand you can’t properly attempt to find employment since you’re not yet 16.

“Nevertheless but if you’d considered informing someone of your current predicament then provision would’ve probably been provided for you. Especially since we’re all like family within this town. But you won’t have to worry about that anymore since Lois and I are going to try and figure out a way to assist you and your father.”

Candice nodded in response. Tears glistening in her eyes and especially since Lucy had promised her the same. The young woman deeply emotional over how kind and generous the Lane-Kent family were and to someone such as herself. Yet simultaneously calling her out when it was required and making it clear to her why she was in the wrong.

“You should also inform your father regarding what you’ve been up to,” Lois then added. “He has a right to know and especially considering your reasons,” she also pointed out.

Candice pursed her lips in response.

“I understand what you mean and I admit you’re correct. But, and I mean this with respect, I personally don’t think he’d really care,” she replied to them. Resulting in Lois and Clark’s expressions morphing into puzzled ones.

“Why do you say that?” Lois questioned her with a frown. Not understanding.

She took a deep breath in response and swallowed nervously.

“It’s because I believe my dad might also be involved in some shady business,” she explained. “I’m uncertain as to what it is but he’s constantly been returning home late at night and while he has a bit of a drinking problem I know for a fact he’s not always at the bar. Plus I’ve sometimes witnessed him hanging out with some rough looking guys. And they really give off dangerous vibes to me.

“He’s also brought home a bit of his own cash but never shares with me as to its source. And while I don’t know what he’s up to it can’t be anything good. And I promise I’m not trying to be a hypocrite with that last sentence or behave as though I’m morally superior. I’m only stating as to what I think are the facts.”

Once she’d concluded her explanation the Kents turned towards each other in shared concern while shaking their heads. Clark rubbing his hand across his face. The 2 of them further understanding how complicated Candice’s current life was. They also knew they couldn’t ignore this but added it as part of another matter which would require investigation.

“Do you have any idea if your father will be home tonight Candice?” Clark questioned her.

The young woman shrugged.

“It’s hard to say. It varies every evening,” she answered truthfully.

In response to her answer, he turned towards his wife and they shared a silent conversation before arriving at the same conclusion.

“How about you spend the night here? You shouldn’t have to be alone in case your father doesn’t return tonight and you’ll get to enjoy some delicious home cooked breakfast,” Lois invited her.

Candice found herself greatly surprised by her second offer of breakfast for the day.

“It’s alright Mrs. Kent I really don’t want to be an imposition to you guys,” she quickly responded and attempted to politely dismiss. Having no desire to take advantage of their family’s kindness.

“Nonsense. You’re not an imposition and I won’t hear of it. You can spend the night in our guest room and we’ll wake you when breakfast is ready,” Lois insisted then informed her of the sleeping arrangements.

Seeing she wouldn’t win this argument Candice finally acquiesced. Settling the matter.

She and Jon also informed the latter’s parents that they wanted to go to their high school the following day and confess everything to the principal as well. Something the older couple entirely agreed with them on and with Clark promising to make the necessary arrangements.

Jon and Candice then transported themselves upstairs and following a shared and brief kiss goodnight that was between chaste and deep, but closer to chaste, they made their way to their designated bedrooms. Jon greeting his brother who was already present and informing him about Candice and all that had just transpired. Jordan asking him if she was alright to which Jon answered in the affirmative. Saying the 2 of them were relieved everything was now in the open. Jordan on his part nodding in understanding.

Back downstairs Clark and Lois were discussing the happenings of the preceding few days.

“So it was Candice this entire time. The person our son was covering for,” Clark stated in thought. “I should’ve realized that.”

“Same here,” his wife agreed. “I don’t understand how we could not have though. Are we really terrible parents for not realizing what was clearly in front of us? That Jon wouldn’t have jeopardized his entire future over someone unless he cared a tremendous deal for them?” she then questioned sorrowfully.

Clark sighed.

“I wouldn’t call us terrible. But that was definitely a major oversight. And while I hope something like this never transpired within our family but should it happen then we only need to broaden our mind towards all possibilities. In turn uncovering the truth sooner rather than later. For now but let’s take this as something to learn from for the future,” he replied before imparting words of wisdom which applied to them both.

The 2 of them then snuggled onto the sofa together. Their hearts finally feeling peaceful following the messy situation Jon had allowed himself to fall into. Relieved it seemed to be reaching its conclusion.

 

 

 

To Be Continued

Notes:

Originally Jon and Candice’s confession to the school was also going to happen within this chapter. But for me personally this chapter ended up being very long. Therefore it brought me to the decision to split this chapter into 2 parts.

And if all goes well we’ll hopefully see the school meeting within the next chapter.

I hope all of you enjoyed this chapter.

Until next time, have a great day.

Chapter 7

Notes:

Hi everyone how’s it going?

Following their confessions to Clark and Lois, we’ll now get to see Jonathan and Candice’s confessions to their principal and the resolution of their X-K situation.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Setting: Smallville

Location: Smallville High

 

Jon and Candice were currently seated inside of Principal Balcomb’s office the following afternoon. Clark having arranged everything as promised and by making a phone call to the school the day after Candice had agreed to retire for the evening at his home. To which Balcomb had agreed to an appointment with the youths at 2:00 p.m. following school’s conclusion for the day.

Clark himself along with Lois had also accompanied their son and the latter’s girlfriend. The 2 of them in the office with the younger couple.

Lucy was present as well. Her purpose being to provide moral support for the teenaged young adults.

Very soon Balcomb had finally arrived. The head of school security following behind her. After which she sat upon her seat behind her desk while the security chief positioned himself behind her and towards her left.

“Now that we’re all present,” she began seriously before moving right to the point. “I here there’s something of significant importance you’d like to reveal to me?”

Jon nodded in response.

“Yes ma’am, there is. But first I’d like to apologize once more. I’m truly sorry to you, the school, and its football team for my actions with the X-K. I was wrong to have allowed myself to be involved in something like that,” he apologized to her for the second time while bowing his head in shame. “It’s not how my parents raised me, I was behaving foolishly and crossed a line. It in turn resulting in the team’s upcoming game being cancelled. Which is entirely my fault.”

He then lifted up his head and faced her once more.

“However there’s something I would like to clarify. Which I should’ve done the moment you caught me with that stuff. You see, and while I’m responsible for my actions in consuming it, I was actually not the one distributing it,” he further stated and respectfully insisted. “Despite what everyone thought in regards to that and my allowing you guys to do so, I swear I wasn’t the actual dealer. That’s one line I did not cross. I did know who it was and have been covering for them the entire time.

“I believed I was doing the right thing for them the entire time and due to a major situation they’ve been going through. But thankfully someone very recently managed to open my eyes as to why my actions were actually wrong. And not just myself but also the dealer. Thankfully knocking some sense into us. And that’s why I’m ready to own up to my actions and do the right thing.”

Lucy then spoke up.

“Hi there. I’m Lucy Lane. Jon’s aunt and Lois’s sister. And it would be me who, as my nephew put it, knocked some sense into him and the individual he was covering for,” she addressed the principal with a friendly smile then revealed. “I’d also like to share that I believe he’s truly sorry and repentant for his actions and involvement in this situation. And not just him but the actual dealer. And while we will all respect your final decision regarding them, I do request please that you take what I’ve just said into account. If you also believe their remorse is genuine that is,” she stated then implored the other woman who nodded in response. Her lips pursed.

“Thank you Miss Lane. And I promise I will take that into account,” she assured the younger Lane. After which she returned her attention to Jon.

“First I’d like to say how much I greatly appreciate you for finally deciding to come forward and in order to do what you know is right. You’re one of my top academical performers and a model student. Not just in regards to your grades and your previous performance on the football field but your overall behavior and conduct. All of which was a tremendous asset to this school,” she commended him then revealed. “Therefore but catching you with that stuff and to hear you’d been using wasn’t something I’d expect from you. And it left me extremely upset and disappointed. Not to mention more so when you claimed you were the dealer.”

“To hear however that you were not the dealer is a tremendous relief to me. And while it doesn’t completely remove you from the hook it’s nevertheless no small comfort that your actions were not worse than what they already were.

“Having said all of that, you say you wish to inform me as to the actual dealer’s identity?” she then questioned him before waiting patiently though expectantly.

Jon nodded once more. And turning towards his parents, aunt, and girlfriend and after receiving encouraging nods from them all, swallowed then continued.

“That’s correct ma’am. It was someone I care for very deeply. Someone who means a whole lot to me. Someone I actually love,” he confirmed then emotionally explained. Followed by turning his head towards Candice while the principal in turn followed his line of sight. Her eyes slightly widening while the 15 year old young woman responded by sitting up and nodding. The latter’s heart fluttering upon hearing her boyfriend reaffirm his feelings for her.

“It’s true. I’m the dealer and have been this entire time,” she also confirmed then continued. Feeling just as emotional as Jon was. “I’d also like to apologize to you and to our entire school for my actions. What I did was unacceptable and especially since it gave our team an unfair advantage on the field. I could’ve chosen a different way to earn money but instead I chose a really bad one. I’ll accept whatever punishment you see fit to impose upon me and once more I’m really sorry. Plus I’m deeply sorry for getting Jon in trouble as well. I also love him and would’ve never wanted his life to be ruined because of me.”

Balcomb took a deep breath in response then released a sigh.

“I honestly cannot believe what I’m hearing,” she responded in wonderment. “While I won’t deny I’ve noticed you stepping out with the wrong crowd and it was something I’d been meaning to address with you, you were still a fine student and with solid grades. And almost as well behaved as Jon. I have to say I’m greatly disappointed in you.”

Candice listened to her principal’s words while staring downwards in shame. Especially following the last sentence.

Balcomb wasn’t finished however. And following a few moments of silence she continued.

“Nevertheless I’m tremendously proud of you for also coming forward and accepting responsibility for your actions,” she smiled gently at Candice. “And just like Jon but I can also clearly see your sincerity and can tell you’re just as remorseful and repentant.”

Her expression then transitioned into a more serious one.

“However I’d really like to know what possessed the 2 of you to allow yourselves to get involved in this situation. Especially you Jon. What were you guys even thinking?” she questioned them and with a hint of frustration within her tone. Shaking her head in perplexity.

Jon and Candice exchanged guilty expressions while nervously shifting their bodies. But then at that moment they each felt a gentle hand resting upon their respective shoulders and looking upwards saw that it was Lucy. The former’s aunt warmly smiling at them.

“It’s alright you guys. Just tell the truth and everything will be fine okay?” she assured then encouraged them. The 2 of them nodding in response and feeling comforted by her words and gesture.

Afterwards they returned their attention towards their principal and Candice began first.

“The truth is that my dad has been suffering from some health problems. Primarily related to his heart. But we’ve been unable to afford the pertaining bills in addition to being practically broke. Plus we’ve been moving from place to place a lot and we need stability,” she sorrowfully explained. “We desperately needed some form of income and I’d been greatly worried about my father’s health. Not wanting his health to deteriorate if we ran out of funds to provide the appropriate care. Plus I’m not 16 yet and therefore cannot secure proper employment for myself.

“One day, about 4 months ago, I was approached by a young neighbor of ours named Mikey Jeroh. Him offering me the opportunity to make some quick cash. Followed by him recruiting me to be involved in the X-K operations. Having me sell it to whoever would be interested, that being this school’s football team as you know, while he’d receive a portion of my earnings and I’m allowed to keep the rest.

“It isn’t just the 2 of us. And while I don’t know the full extent of the operation I am aware that he works for some very dangerous criminals. Maybe some sort of network or something. I don’t know. But Mikey received the drugs from them and then I received them from him and distributed it to the football team.”

The poor principal shook her head in disbelief. Candice’s confession and information definitely changing things. She could not have imagined the full gravity of the X-K situation. That it was beyond simple doping in sports and possibly connected to a major criminal network. I mean things like this did not even transpire in their pleasant and quiet little town.

A grave expression had also emerged upon her face at the mention of Mikey Jeroh. A young man whose reputation she was regrettably more than aware of.

After she’d taken a few moments to properly absorb what she’d just been informed of, Jon spoke up next and shared his story.

“As for my own involvement and participation, I’d shared this with my parents but my reason was that following the mess Unc, I mean Mr. Edge brought upon our town I just wanted to begin the football season on a high note. My way of attempting to put the chaos he’d unleashed behind me,” he explained and quickly stopping himself from revealing his connection to the rogue Kryptonian. Being careful not to jeopardize any family secrets. “Plus Timmy Ryan, the guy who was caught taking the X-K before me, was rubbing his use of it in my face and it angered me. Then when he told me about Candice being the dealer I’d confronted her and she’d confirmed it while explaining her situation to me.”

“As a result and due to my wrongfully believing that I would achieve greatness with power, foolishly believing I should follow Timmy’s lead so I wouldn’t feel one upped by him, and also wanting to assist in my girlfriend’s predicament because of how much she means to me, I decided to also start using the X-K.

“My brother however knocked some sense into me sometime later when he learned about it. Causing me to realize that I was on the wrong path. And I was going to quit I swear I was. But when you caught me with the bag of X-K I’d decided to cover for Candice by claiming that I was the dealer. Due to her situation and all and because of the love I have for her. I mistakenly believed I was doing something noble by jeopardizing my education and sacrificing my reputation and possibly my whole life so that hers wouldn’t be ruined.”

Jon paused for a moment, shaking his head in self depreciation. Then continued.

“Aunt Lucy would however open my eyes as we’d previously mentioned and thankfully managed to convince me that my actions were not beneficial and would instead ruin us both in the long term. That our actions were actually bringing harm towards each other. Even if we didn’t realize it yet. Her words enabling me to see reason and after a discussion with Candice we mutually agreed to come clean regarding everything. First with my parents and then with you ma’am.

“Once more I truly am sorry for the X-K, for mine and hers involvement with it, and for the trouble I brought to our school by causing its football season to be cancelled. And whatever you decide to do with me I promise I’ll abide by it.”

“It was also my own conversation with Miss Lane that enabled me to fully realize the wrongness of my actions in dealing the X-K to the team and the downward path it was taking me on. Like she’d said earlier,” Candice spoke up and added immediately afterwards. “It in turn motivating me to come forward as well. And once more I’m so very sorry. For everything.”

Balcomb calmly and patiently listened to the explanations of the emotional and apologetic teens before her. Once they’d concluded she’d then taken a moment to absorb everything they’d shared with her. After which she addressed them both once more.

“I’d like to thank you both for your honesty and candor. And I completely understand why the two of you made the decisions you did and especially in regards to you Candice. For it’s clear to me that you felt you were in an impossible and desperate situation. Thereby going down the path you chose and because you wanted to be a good daughter,” she said to them then directly spoke to her female student. Sympathy and compassion written upon her face. “And all I can is that I’m very sorry about those circumstances you’d found yourself in while believing it was your only solution. Not to mention it wasn’t a situation you should’ve burdened yourself with and especially at your age.”

“Nevertheless but if you’d only informed someone regarding your predicament I’m certain steps would’ve been taken to rectify it. You could’ve even come to me and I would’ve helped you Candice. And I’m still willing to do just that if you’ll let me. Being a dealer was not your only option and I hope you now realize that.”

Candice nodded.

“I do. And you’re absolutely right. That’s also something Mr. and Mrs. Kent pointed out. Not only that but they and Miss Lane have also promised to assist in resolving my situation,” she acknowledged and agreed. Then informed her principal of the offers from her boyfriend’s parents and aunt. “In addition but if there’s any way I can also make things up to you and the school for my actions I will do so,” she then readily offered while meaning it.

“That’s good to hear on both your desire to atone for your actions and the kindness your boyfriend’s family are extending to you. And I hope you realize how blessed you are in regards to the latter,” the principal responded with an approving smile then pointed out to which Candice nodded once more. After which she turned towards Jon.

“As for you, we both agree that what you did was wrong. And I’m proud of you for acknowledging that. But I also want you to know I understand you’re human just like anyone else and therefore susceptible to making bad judgments and poor decisions. Some more severe than others and regardless of the reasons. And I definitely understand you wanting to help your girlfriend and especially considering what she’s currently going through. And why you’d think covering for her was noble in some way. It of course doesn’t make your actions morally acceptable. But they do make you human like anyone else.

“On the subject of the football season, the blame for its cancellation doesn’t entirely fall upon you. Considering the other students who were using X-K and especially since it’s obvious this was transpiring within our school long before you allowed yourself to get involved. And at the end of the day but there’s clearly a lot of blame to go around pertaining to this mess so please don’t feel as though it’s entirely your fault. Only hold yourself accountable for your own personal wrongs and don’t shoulder the blame for the wrongs of others.”

Jon nodded in acquiescence towards his principal’s words. In addition to feeling relief that she did not rest the entire weight of the football season’s cancellation upon him.

She then continued and directed her next words towards both himself and Candice.

“Having said that, there may be a way for the cancellation to be reversed and that lies in the hands of the 2 of you. Especially you Candice and it can serve as your first and primary step towards rectifying your actions. And that’s by providing me with the names of all of the young men who were using X-K besides yourself Jon and of course Timmy. Are you guys willing to do that?”

The young couple turned their heads towards each other in response and after sharing a nod turned back towards their principal and readily agreed. Followed up by Candice providing the names of all those she’d sold X-K to. Along with Jon confirming everything based upon what he’d observed of its usage amongst his former teammates.

Balcomb meanwhile listened carefully while using a pad and pen to write down the offenders names.

Lucy also spoke up and revealed herself as a D.O.D. member. Informing the principal that she, Lois, and their father would be investigating the criminal network behind the X-K distribution. To which the latter woman expressed her gratitude. She then once more addressed her 2 formerly wayward and now repentant students.

“With this info you’ve given to me, you both may have just managed to save the football season after all. And that’s something I’m incredibly grateful for. And the others who were using will be dealt with appropriately by both myself and Coach Gaines. In addition to my informing their parents of their activities,” she stated and expressed her gratitude and immediate plans for the other offenders. After which she laid down how things would unfold for Jon and Candice moving forward. Starting with Jon.

“Since you have come forward and revealed who the X-K dealer was, have displayed genuine repentance towards your part in this matter, and potentially helped preserve this season’s football games, I will lift your expulsion and permit you to return to school alongside the rest of your peers. Welcome back Jon,” she said to him and smiled with the last sentence.

The young man in response nodded gratefully.

“However,” she added. Her face becoming serious once more. “Due to your actions with the X-K I’m sorry to say that you won’t be permitted to rejoin the team. And the same will go for the other members who were using. Though I still believe you’re a well rounded young man at heart and therefore but I can only hope you will use the lessons and consequences learned here to guide your future choices. And in turn prevent yourself from doing anything like this ever again. Can you promise me that?”

“I promise. And I will never again participate in anything similar or any other kind of cheating,” he replied and promised with conviction. Though naturally disappointed by his removal from the team yet also understanding it. Aware it was the result of his own poor decisions. “I’ve learned my lesson and none of that is something I will ever get myself involved in. You don’t have to worry,” he further assured her.

Balcomb nodded in satisfaction. Then rendered her judgement upon Candice.

“Since you’ve joined Jon here in coming forward, held yourself accountable and also showed true remorse, and along with Jon have saved our football season, and not to mention the circumstances behind your actions, I won’t be expelling you. But you will be suspended for 2 and a half weeks and will be removed from your position as captain of the cheerleading squad. Along with your removal from the squad altogether.

“However I also believe you should be allowed to continue your education. Therefore I’m going to provide you with the same option I gave to Jon. That you can also take online classes with our school and which will continue until the conclusion of your suspension. Provided you complete your given assignments and turn them in on time. Do we have a deal?”

Candice nodded quickly.

“Yes ma’am we do,” she readily accepted the former’s terms. Disappointed she was no longer in the cheer squad yet relieved she was not being expelled or receiving an extended suspension. “And thank you so much for not kicking me out. And while I’ll greatly miss cheerleading I’m still thankful and I promise I won’t let you or myself down ever again.”

“Happy to hear it,” the principal smiled in approval.

The room’s occupants then discussed a few other pertaining matters. During which the subject of Candice’s father possibly being a criminal came up. Along with the older adults within the Lane-Kent family’s plans to investigate that as well which Balcomb had also appreciated. The latter feeling even more sorry for Candice if it turned out to be the case while everyone were in agreement that she was not residing in a positive home environment.

Pretty soon afterwards the meeting with her drew to a conclusion and they all shook hands. Principal Balcomb also expressing her gratitude towards Lucy for reasoning with the latter’s nephew and his girlfriend. The Lane-Kent family with Candice then exited the former’s office before exiting the school building.

“I am so proud of you both,” Lucy warmly expressed to Jon and Candice while wrapping her arms around their shoulders. Smiling proudly towards them both.

“Thanks Aunt Lucy,” and “Thank you Miss Lane,” were respectively heard from them as they acknowledged her while returning her smile.

“We’re also deeply proud of the 2 of you,” Clark also expressed to the teens while Lois nodded in agreement. The 2 of them also smiling with approval. “And you must always remember that no matter what you do, whatever wrongs you commit, or mistakes you make, that it’s never too late to do the right thing.”

“Don’t worry we will,” Candice promised after which was heard a “definitely,” from Jon. Followed by the 3 older adults responding with nods of satisfaction.

The teens along with Jon’s parents then entered their vehicle while Lucy entered her own vehicle and followed behind them as they returned to the Kent Farm where Jordan, who’d opted to return home after school had concluded for the day and with his parents permission, was waiting for all of them. Questioning them as to what had transpired once his family and Candice had returned and disembarked from their respective vehicles. To which they answered by sharing what went down along with the principal’s final ruling.

Jordan in response provided his sympathies towards his brother and the latter’s girlfriend over the loss of their sports positions in school. But they however waved it off and assured him that while they were disappointed it wasn’t the end of the world.

Everyone then headed to the house while continuing to converse with one another. Jon and Candice on their parts glad to finally be putting this X-Kryptonite mess behind them.

 

 

 

End Of Arc I

Notes:

I hope you all enjoyed. And now that the X-K arc of this fic has concluded, the next chapter will serve as a transition to the following arc. Said arc exploring Candice and Jon’s journeys towards their ultimate destinies as champions.

Until next time, have a very good day.

Chapter 8: Interlude

Notes:

Hi everyone. How are things going for you?

As previously mentioned, we now get to see the transition between the previous events involving the X-K and the next stage of Jon and Candice’s journey together. Starting with how the X-K matter is finally put to rest along with resolving the situation pertaining to Candice’s father.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Setting: Smallville


Following the meeting with the principal that afternoon, Clark and Lois with Lucy and Sam had begun planning out how they were going to dismantle the X-K operations. The plan being to track down the criminal network behind said operation followed by them conducting recon at the pertaining location. However, an unforeseen circumstance would delay their current endeavors. That being Clark’s mysterious disappearance.

For sometime that evening and after Lucy and Sam had exited the Kent Farm and everyone had gone to bed, Clark would find himself awakening due to his super-hearing being activated. Listening closely, he would ascertain that the dangerous and influential cult leader in his town, known as Ally Alston, was conducting a second attempt to utilize the portal that connected their own Earth to an alternate universe known as the Inverse World. Doubtless to merge with her just as villainous doppelgänger of the same name and whose own intentions for their respective worlds aligned with Ally’s.

By the time he’d arrived at the site as Superman and which was currently under the D.O.D’s jurisdiction, it had been too late. For Ally had already entered the portal and had made her way to the Inverse World.

Therefore Clark had decided to fly in after her. In hopes he could finally halt the 2 Allys ultimate endgame.

That would be the last any of his loved ones had heard regarding him while the world would react to the fallout of Superman’s disappearance. And in turn his protection.

Lois and her sons would find themselves distressed over their respective husband and father having vanished. Always awaiting the day he’d finally return to them. Though Lois trusted that Clark wouldn’t just disappear and abandon his family without a solid reason.

Candice on her part was provided with the same narrative given to everyone else outside of the family and who was not in the know. Including Lana and her family. That Clark was on a journalistic assignment in Metropolis. A narrative which she’d bought while Lois had claimed he’d risen out of bed very early in order to do so.

In the meantime the Lane-Kent family’s good friend and ally John Henry Irons, who was himself from another Earth along with his 15 year old daughter Natalie, had volunteered to fill in for Superman. Acting as the world’s latest protector and conducting the same missions Clark had conducted.

A week following Clark’s disappearance, Lois, Lucy, and Sam had reached a unilateral decision in that they should still continue their endeavor to dismantle the X-K network. And so after ascertaining its location, they’d decided to drive over there for the planned recon.

Jordan on his part had volunteered to accompany them in case his family needed super backup. To which his mother had strongly objected to. Citing the potential danger and still seeing him as her baby boy. Not to mention becoming highly annoyed with both him and her father when it was revealed at that moment that his grandfather had been training him during the preceding 3 weeks. Calling them out for it.

Both her father and sister however were able to calm her down and enable her to realize why Jordan being trained was something positive. That he needed to be able to properly control his abilities and to learn some discipline. Both with his powers and how he carried himself. Not to mention the need to prevent him from accidentally harming someone else. All of which were arguments Lois was unable to counter. In addition to realizing their merits and actually agreeing.

Jordan himself also backed up his grandfather and aunt while pointing out that the training had provided him with further confidence. Not to mention aiding his previous therapy in further and significantly reducing his social anxiety disorder. Which was something his mother had desired for him.

Lois afterwards had then humbly apologized to the 3 of them. Realizing she’d overreacted and that Jordan’s training was actually something highly beneficial for him. After which she’d permitted him to accompany them on the recon. Provided he followed hers, his aunt’s, and his grandfather’s instructions. A condition Jordan had readily agreed to.

That evening they’d all arrived at the location and Lois, Lucy, and Sam had exited their vehicle and began conducting the planned recon. Except they’d then been caught and captured by one of the thugs involved in the network. After which they’d been brought inside of the warehouse where the X-K operations were being conducted. Followed by the 3 of them being retrained to chairs and left there.

During which Lois further realized it had been a prudent idea to have Jordan accompany them since he was their only hope towards being liberated from their current situation. And so she, her father, and her sister had quietly called out to Jordan for his assistance. Hoping he’d catch their voices with his super-hearing while Sam also informed him of the number of guards and their positions.

Thankfully he had and upon entering utilized his speed and strength to quickly neutralize one of the guards. Having also arrived in time since said guard had just been about to murder his grandfather. Jordan neutralizing him by encasing him in ice per the former’s freeze breath before using an uppercut strike to send him onto his back.

He’d then moved to release his family from their bindings when the thug who’d captured them was marching towards him. Using the abilities the latter had received from the X-K to activate his own heat vision against Jordan.

Thankfully Lucy had noticed and warned him to which he’d dodged it before speeding toward him and also knocking the super powered thug onto his back.

Then once his family had been freed, his grandfather had phoned his people at the D.O.D. who upon arrival had rounded up everyone present including the majority of those who’d been attempting to flee the scene. Though some of them had regrettably managed to escape.

The soldiers had also seized enormous quantities of X-K along with documents containing invaluable intel. Intel which could hopefully be utilized to discover who’d been bankrolling the network.

Lois and her family had then returned home and had informed Jon and Candice of the X-K network’s dismantling. Excluding Jordan’s role in it due to Candice’s presence. Jordan claiming he’d been hanging out with Sarah and after which he’d been on his way home when he’d been picked up by his mother, aunt, and grandfather.

His brother and the aforementioned young woman had rejoiced at the news. Candice especially relieved she wouldn’t have to live in fear because of the network. That chapter in her life finally and completely concluded.

With the X-K business finally dealt with, the following issue to be addressed came in the form of Lucy investigating Candice’s father. During which she’d discovered he was involved with a car theft ring. That he and certain buddies of his had not only been stealing a number of vehicles but had also been involved in violent carjackings. Using intimidation with a gun alongside physical force against the innocent car owners.

After discovering all of this she’d informed Candice while making clear to her that he needed to be taken into custody in order to answer for his crimes.

The younger woman had found herself stunned. Not realizing that her father’s activities were this bad. Finding herself heartbroken and especially after all she’d been doing, both positive and negative, to maintain their household and ensure his health.

Nevertheless she understood where Lucy was coming from and therefore agreed. Not desiring anymore individuals to suffer due to the actions of her father and his friends.

Afterwards Lucy would report him to the appropriate authorities and he along with the other car theft ring would be apprehended as part of an undercover sting operation. Then following his arrest Lucy would visit him, the latter now behind bars until his upcoming trial, berating him for being a terrible excuse of a father while informing him of all his daughter had been doing for him.

The man however would regrettably not display any gratitude towards his daughter or even concern over the trouble she’d gotten herself into. Instead he’d become argumentative and try to justify himself while behaving in an aggressive manner towards Lucy. In addition to displaying some very suggestive and a bit lewd behavior towards her with his words and actions.

The latter aspect would however result in her grabbing ahold of his arm and twisting it behind his back. Telling him off and let’s just say he received the message very loud and crystal clear.

Following this she would still however make arrangements for him to continue receiving medical care from the local hospital while ensuring all of his pertaining bills were paid for. She’d later go on to inform him of that while telling him in no uncertain terms that she was doing this for Candice.

Afterwards Candice had expressed her gratitude towards Lucy for her father’s healthcare. Emotionally enfolding the older woman in an embrace and thanking her profusely. During which Lucy comforted and assured her that everything would be alright now.

With her father in custody, the teen did not have anywhere to go and nor was she able to live on her own since she was still a minor. She did have an aunt though said aunt was located within another state. And when the appropriate authorities reached out to her she’d refused to bring Candice to live with her. Saying that she had no desire to be a parent and that if someone else wanted her niece they had her blessing.

Her aunt’s rejection had stung during which both Lois and Lucy had comforted her. Also feeling anger towards both her father and her aunt.

In light of this development and not seeing another alternative, Lois decided to permit Candice to officially move in with her and her family for the time being. Not wanting her to be sent to the system.

Candice was uncertain about this, having no desire to take advantage of the Lane-Kents hospitality towards her. But once more Lois had insisted until she’d finally accepted. More than appreciative of the older Lane sister’s kindness.

Once Candice had settled in and had moved all of her possessions into the guest bedroom, Lois had informed her that since she’d be living with them she’d be obligated to assist in maintaining the farm and also conducting household chores. Same as Jon and Jordan were. To which Candice had entirely agreed to.

Pertaining to her relationship with Jon though, Lois knew that was something which needed to be addressed since they’d now be sharing the same roof. Primarily in regards to their physical relationship. And while she was willing to accept that she might’ve slightly overreacted when catching the youths together for the first time she’d still wanted to ensure that they made responsible decisions instead of jumping into something they might not necessarily be ready for. Even if they believed they were.

Therefore she’d sat them down and had a serious discussion with them. First acknowledging that previous events notwithstanding, Jon had proven himself to be highly mature for his age and greatly responsible. Not to mention very hard working in regards to how he assisted in maintaining their farm and household. That he was a son she and Clark could not be more than proud of.

Lois also acknowledged, outside of his occasional moments of teenage rebellion and especially the X-K fiasco, how he usually carried himself as an adult in regards to his emotions and mannerisms. Not to mention receiving solid and at times excellent grades. In addition to agreeing with his principal’s assessment of him.

She’d then addressed Candice and informed her that her own actions in doing everything possible to care for her father and maintain their own household was also a sign of true adult behavior. And that while the manner in which she did it was wrong in regards to the X-K aspect, the fact that she still stepped up at her age to perform the same responsibilities a mom or mother figure probably would’ve done along with being the breadwinner was a display of significant responsibility.

Lois also pointed out that Candice’s repentance of the X-K and doing what she could to rectify it was also a sign of adulthood in regards to accountability and morality. It showing her maturity was significantly greater that her father’s, a fully grown man, who did not repent of his crimes when called to the carpet.

Afterwards she gave the youths her own version of the Talk. Agreeing with her husband in entirely understanding hormones, urges, and arousal. And especially for growing teens their age along with the desire to explore and experiment. Herself being an example of that during her own teen years.

That there was nothing wrong with having those desires and especially since that’s how humans were created. Sexual arousal being both natural and a fundamental aspect that made one human.

She also admitted that displaying adult behavior and responsibilities should go hand in hand with adult privileges and rights. Up to a point that is. Adding that while she still saw her sons as her baby boys and would prefer they remained that way, it was an unrealistic desire and they were growing up. Therefore they and any other teen should be given the freedom to explore their sexuality. Whereas not acknowledging or hampering that and even responding by punishing them for it such as removing tv privileges or any other form of grounding in response, due to a teen’s age and birth dates in and of those two things alone or the parents personal comfort, was actually a disservice. Not to mention counterproductive.

Nevertheless there was still a time and a place for everything. As she pointed out to them. And while Jon and Candice had been seeing each other for quite some time it had still been for only a few months. And she’d rather they waited until their relationship further developed before submerging too deep into their relationship’s physical development. Especially in case they did not last as a couple. That they needed to mature further, experience more in life, and continue to develop as individuals before taking the step towards ultimate physical pleasure. Or the full home run as some teenaged young adults referred to it.

Lois also implored them to realize how special and a treasure one’s virginity was. That it was not overrated and should never be treaded upon nor taken lightly. That it should only be given to the person you were more than certain you had a future with. Preferably if they were without a doubt your future husband or wife. For just as a beautiful and sweet smelling pink rose could not be repaired when crushed, one’s virginity could never be returned when given away. Instead but it would be gone forever while the time for regrets, if there were any, would be too late.

Ultimately, but the only thing Lois truly desired was what was best and most productive in the long term for her son and Candice.

Therefore she’d informed them that while they were allowed to explore and experiment, it’d had to be within certain parameters. And by means of certain rules which were non negotiable.

Yet she did her absolute best to explain that she was not trying to prejudice them over their ages or control them to make herself comfortable. And especially to prevent Jon from growing up. That it had nothing to do with any form of adult supremacy or both adult and parental privilege. Particularly the “I am the adult and that makes it alright for me to do whatever I want due to my age alone as long as it’s legal and nobody gets hurt” mentality. Especially since there were plenty of teens who behaved maturely and morally while there were older adults who behaved immaturely and immorally.

Candice and her father being a prime example of that for instance and in regards to when they were called out for their own respective and improper actions.

She then specified the rules as follows:

No sex,

No sex acts including using their hands to touch each other’s groins even over their clothes,

Keep clothes on at all times including shirts and blouse,

No sharing a bed when retiring to sleep at night. Candice having to remain in the guest bedroom,

When lying on a bed together during other moments they’d have to remain outside of its sheets and not underneath,

Keep the doors open when hanging out together inside of each other’s bedrooms. And finally and this rule was of utmost importance,

Keep their PDA to a minimum when in her presence. For while Lois was willing to accept her sons were growing up there were still certain things she’d rather not witness. Thank you very much.

Lois also, like Clark with their sons, admonished Jon and Candice to respect each other and the other’s bodies. That it was just as imperative for a female to respect a male as it was vice versa. Neither gender pressuring nor emotionally manipulating each other into doing something either party was not ready for nor comfortable doing.

The young couple before her had fully agreed to the rules. Finding them fair and particularly in regards to where she was coming from. And they especially agreed with the PDA in front of her aspect. All 3 of them shuddering at the thought of it and in agreement that it was something they’d prefer to avoid.

Having settled everything, things remained pretty much the same within their household except for Candice’s presence and Clark still missing. And the young woman fulfilled all of her obligations as one of its members while she and Jon respected and followed the above rules Lois had laid out for them.

There were a few moments however in which certain awkward situations would transpired regarding that.

For example, Lois would go to the guest bedroom to inform Candice that dinner was ready. During which she would end up walking in on Jon pinning her against the wall and holding her arms upwards. Her hands over her head and clasped together by one of his hands. Her leg hooked upwards and over his waist while the 2 of them were deeply making out.

The poor woman was mortified but quickly maintained control of herself and cleared her throat. Alerting the teens to her presence and resulting in them jumping back from each other.

She’d then lifted up her hand to stave off any stuttering explanations then informed them about dinner. Before promptly turning on her heel and hurrying away. Leaving the teens to stand and stare at each other in mild embarrassment. Though simultaneously smiling at each other.

On another occasion and during the afternoon Lois had just returned home from the local store. Carrying a brown paper bag of groceries. Her sister currently present with her due to having accompanied her.

When they’d entered the home and were passing the living room they’d come across their respective son and nephew sitting on the sofa and holding onto his girlfriend’s butt cheeks as she straddled him. Her hands cupping his face as the couple slightly dry humped each other while kissing.

Lois in response had nearly dropped her bag accidentally though Lucy quickly prevented that from transpiring.

The commotion resulting from that however had alerted Jon and Candice once more to her presence. The latter in response quickly leaping off of Jon’s lap while they smoothed out their clothes.

Lois meanwhile only sighed and shook her head then hurried towards the kitchen. Yet silently beyond grateful they were within the rules in that this time Jon had kept his shirt on. Lucy on her part smiled and chuckled as she observed the entire scene play out before her. Fondly reminiscing when a similar scenario had happened to her when she was 17 and was dating an 18 year old young man named Jimmy. A ginger haired lad who’d always preferred dressing with a bow tie. And last she’d heard, still did.

She could see it as though it had been yesterday. When her dad had entered her bedroom and had caught him lying on top of her. Both her and Jimmy shirtless and Lucy only wearing her bra.

The next thing they’d known, Sam had been chasing the poor young man all around and outside of their house with a rifle while Lucy was putting her shirt back on and simultaneously running after them both.

“At least big sis reacted better just now than our dad did,” she’d thought to herself as she broke pulled herself away from the memory. Followed by her going to the kitchen and helping her sister put away the groceries.

On a side note but Candice also continued to honor the agreement she’d made with the principal. Completing her given school assignments and sending them to school on time. Just like Jon had done during his expulsion.

She’d also continued to receive solid grades which both Lane sisters were very proud of her for.

While everything was currently going wonderfully for her and her hosts, outside of the void of Clark’s absence which was beginning to take an emotional toll upon his family, a certain event would transpire that would launch the next chapter in hers and Jon’s lives. And it was one that was very brutal.

For during the third week of Clark’s disappearance, Jon and Candice were enjoying a stroll together. Taking pleasure in each other’s company.

“I love you Jon. You know that right?” Candice smiled at him adoringly.

“Of course I do. And I love you just as much. You’re one of the best things to have happened to me and for that I’ll always be grateful,” he replied and returned his own smile. Gently cupping the side of her face and pressing his lips to hers in a soft kiss which she reciprocated. The 2 of them relishing in it before pulling apart.

“Look who we have here. The 2 lovebirds. I mean wow what an adorable site,” a haughty male voice was suddenly heard. Startling them before they both turned their heads to see the speaker. Said individual being one of Jon’s former high school football team members. In addition to having been a fellow X-K user who’d also been removed from their former team.

Accompanying him were 3 other former team members who were in the same boat. Staring at the couple with grins upon their faces.

Said couple found themselves beginning to feel apprehension at that moment. Sensing that the 4 young men were doubtless feeling resentment towards them for exposing their involvement with the X-K scandal.

“Listen guys. We don’t want any trouble alright?” Jon calmly responded to them while lifting up his hands placatingly. Attempting to pacify them.

Candice meanwhile had a nervous expression upon her face. Hoping her boyfriend could figure out a way to extract them both from the current situation they’d found themselves in.

Jon his part then took ahold of her hand and attempted to move them around their potential assailants. Her following him willingly. But their attempt was thwarted as the young man who’d initially addressed them quickly moved forward in response and blocked their path. Preventing their opportunity to escape.

“Leaving so soon?” he said to them with a sneer before his face transitioned to a furious expression.

“Yeah, what he said,” another guy among their group also addressed them. His and the 2 other young men’s expressions just as furious.

“Did you really think either of you could squeal on us and then avoid trouble?” one of the 2 latter males added as he moved closer to the now frightened couple.

“Exactly. Not to mention we get kicked off of the team because neither of you were smart enough to keep your mouths shut? And especially since you’re the one who provided us with the X-K Candice? In case you forgot,” the other one also added and pointed out. He and the others following the first one as they menacingly approached her and Jon until they surrounded them.

“You had to have known that actions have consequences and in case you didn’t we’re here to remind you of that,” the male who’d originally addressed them stated matter of fact.

Jon once more attempted to move himself and Candice around them to which the guy who’d just spoken once more roughly pushed him back before lifting up his fist and striking Jon’s face.

The latter grasped his face in pain before quickly recovering. Followed by lifting up his own fist and retaliating by striking his assailant’s face. After which he charged at him but before he could reach him 2 more of his former teammates seized ahold of his arms, one on either side. Afterwards the young man who’d just assaulted him began raining a series of blows upon Jon’s face, chest, and stomach.

“Guys!! Stop this!! Please stop this!! Leave him alone!!” Candice continuously cried out in anguish and implored the guy repeatedly striking her boyfriend. Tears streaming down her face. She attempted to move towards him but was then grabbed from behind. Her own assailant tightly wrapping his arms around her midsection and holding her against his front. Preventing her from coming to her boyfriend’s aid.

“Don’t even try it,” he growled at her. “And now you’re going to observe as my buddies mess up your boyfriend before we mess up your pretty face,” he added with a menacing voice. His threat causing her to whimper in fear.

Finding herself incapacitated and unable to do anything, the poor young woman could only witness in horror and despair as Jon was severely pummeled. Then shortly afterwards he was dropped onto the ground and the other 3 who were focusing on him began punching and kicking him. Battering his body with brutal strikes and kicks.

At that moment, a strong and furious female voice was heard calling out to them.

“Let go of my nephew immediately!!” the voice demanded and Candice, turning her head to see its source, saw that it was Lucy. The older woman leaping from her vehicle and hurrying towards them. Her expression a mixture of panic and anger.

In response the 4 young men who’d accosted Jon and Candice immediately ceased their assault. Scrambling away just as Lucy reached her nephew and his girlfriend. She then crouched downwards and began inspecting the bruises and bleeding cuts upon his face while briefly lifting up his shirt and ascertaining the dark bruises and marks upon his torso.

Jon on his part was a mess. His body throbbing in severe pain and thin streams of crimson blood flowing from the wounds inflicted upon him. The young man groaning in agony from the pain.

“Th..the..they hurt him so bad Miss Lane. They ju..just kep..kept beating him up and woul..wouldn’t stop. I thought they were going to ki..kill him,” Candice tearfully stuttered as she sobbed over him. Tenderly cradling his face as she knelt beside him and across from his aunt. “I tried to stop them but one of them forcefully held me back and I.. I..sob. I’m so sorry Miss Lane.”

“Please don’t blame yourself for this Candice. This is not on you and there was nothing you could’ve have done when they attacked the 2 of you,” Lucy gently and firmly countered. Resting a comforting hand upon her shoulder while shedding her own tears over her nephew’s injuries. “For now, will you please assist me in transporting him to my vehicle?”

Candice nodded in response followed by the 2 women gently grasping ahold of Jon’s arms on either side and lifting him up from the ground until he was sandwiched between them. The 3 of them slowly made their way to Lucy’s vehicle and upon arrival they helped load him onto the back seat followed by Candice climbing in after him.

Lucy closed the door behind him then walked to the driver’s side and getting back inside she waited until after Candice had assisted Jon in getting his seatbelt on before putting on her own. Lucy then restarted the engine and hurriedly yet carefully drove towards the Kent Farm. Candice meanwhile did her best to comfort her boyfriend during the drive.

Very soon they’d arrived after which Lucy parked her vehicle, disembarked from it, then with Candice she once more assisted her nephew in climbing out before the 3 of them entered the house.

Lois was currently situated in the living room when her front door opened and her eyes widened in shock while her mouth dropped open upon witnessing her son’s current state while his girlfriend and Lucy did their best to support him.

“Jon!! Oh my gosh!! What the heck happened here?!!!” she exclaimed in horror while immediately rushing towards them. Assisting the other women in situating him onto the sofa.

“It was his former teammates from the high school football team. They corned then accosted him and Candice while the latter 2 were taking a stroll together,” an emotional Lucy explained angrily. “Those young men were doubtless blaming them for getting themselves kicked off of the team. As if they also don’t share responsibility over the X-K situation,” she added while shaking her head in disappointment.

Lois in response tightly pursed her lips together. Feeling a wave of anger wash over her upon hearing the reason behind what had happened to Jon.

She then turned her attention towards him once more and she felt as though her heart was shattering into pieces on seeing her son like this. Tears streaming from her own eyes.

She attempted to regain control over her emotions however and turned her attention towards Candice.

“Please go to the kitchen and bring back the ice packs from the freezer,” Lois instructed the younger woman who in response quickly obeyed then returned with 3 ice packs.

“Will this be enough Mrs. Kent?” she questioned her to which Lois nodded. The 3 females then carefully removed Jon’s shirt and placed it to the side and with each of them holding a pack they softly pressed them against the wounds upon his face and torso. The cold from the packs causing Jon to stiffen briefly upon making impact with his body before he relaxed as they soothed him.

Lucy later stopped for a moment and per Lois’s request went to the bathroom and retrieved the antiseptic and some fresh cloths. After which she, Lois, and Candice used the antiseptic to cleanse and disinfect the wounds which were bleeding.

They also gave him some fresh apple cider to drink afterwards which he gratefully accepted.

The Lane sisters then moved to the kitchen while leaving the teens alone together.

“I don’t care what I have to do or what it takes. We’re going to make certain the young men who assaulted my son are severely punished for it,” Lois stated firmly to which Lucy nodded in complete agreement. Determined to ensure that Jon received justice.

Eventually the afternoon transitioned to evening and Lucy stated for supper. Lois was not in the mood to cook however and so they ordered some pizza and with Jordan consumed it in the living room.

Sam was also present and enjoying some pizza slices with his family, Lucy having phoned him and informing him of what had happened to his grandson. He’d ensured Jon was recovering before vowing to him that the perpetrators would answer for what they’d done. Which Jon nodded and accepted.

Once they’d finished their pizza and had some warmed apple pie slices for dessert, along with some vanilla ice cream, Sam embraced and bid everyone farewell and requested they keep him informed of Jon’s recovery. Which they agreed. He then exited the home after which Jordan decided to retire for the evening. Telling his family goodnight and encouraging his brother to remain strong. Jon in response promising he would and that he’d also be upstairs in a bit.

After Jordan had gone, Jon and Candice and Lois and Lucy were the only ones still present in the living room.

Jon then looked directly at his aunt. A determined expression upon his face.

“You know how grandpa is currently training Jordan? Teaching him to defend himself in case anyone attacks him?” he questioned her to which she nodded. Him also being careful not to mention his brother’s abilities due to Candice’s presence.

“I’d like for you train me as well. To be able to fight and defend myself,” he then stated firmly and looking directly into his aunt’s eyes. “I promise I only want to use it to defend myself when absolutely necessary but I refuse to be a victim ever again. And with all of the chaos that our town has experienced lately I believe I should be prepared.”

“I’d also like for you to train me Miss Lane,” Candice also spoke up and added. Her tone just as strong, though respectful, and insistent. “I do not want to feel helpless or weak like I did when Jon was being hurt. When he was being beaten I was unable to do anything about it and I have no desire to once more be in a helpless position like that. Please Miss Lane. Train us both.

Lucy exchanged looks with her sister. The 2 of them absorbing the couple’s request. Lois’s initial reaction was to immediately object and say that she had no intention of seeing her son become some sort of fighter.

Nevertheless she managed to get ahold of herself and after considering it started to see the merits of what Jon and Candice were requesting. That not only was it more than understandable but it might also be necessary considering what they’d been forced to endure that afternoon. Something she definitely did not wish for her son or even Candice to go through. Having come to care for the younger woman like her own daughter.

And as Jon just pointed out but with what the town had already gone through it would actually be prudent for them to be prepared in case anything else were to transpire.

Lois furthermore realized that she’d be a hypocrite if she objected to him and Candice being trained after she’d give her blessing towards Jordan training with her father.

Having processed all of that in her mind, Lois spoke up and addressed them.

“I fully understand where both of you are coming from. And neither of you should have found yourselves within such a vulnerable position. Plus you guys being able to protect yourselves might actually be a good thing. Therefore I have no objections towards either of you being trained. Especially since I do not wish to see any form of hurt or pain inflicted upon either of you when it can be avoided. But if my sister agrees to this then you must follow all of her directions and do whatever she instructs you to do. Alright?”

“Yes mom,” and “Yes Mrs. Kent” were readily heard from Jon and Candice respectively. Lois on her part nodded in satisfaction then turned towards Lucy and waited for her response. The other woman having already made of her mind regarding their request yet remaining quiet and allowing Lois to address the teens first. Once the latter had concluded and with her sister’s support settled, she’d taken a deep breath then spoke next.

“We’ll discuss this tomorrow. For now but it’s been a long day and so how about the 2 of you go to bed and get some rest? Especially you Jon?” she said to them kindly then recommended. Which Lois also agreed on. Certain a good night’s sleep would assist in accelerating her son’s recovery.

Jon and Candice acquiesced and lifted themselves off of the sofa. The former a bit slower since he needed to be more careful with his body. As they headed up the stairs Candice stopped for a moment and turned towards Lois.

“Would it be alright if I slept beside Jon please? Just for tonight?” she requested and implored her. “I just want to continue making certain that he’s alright. I promise we won’t do anything we’re not allowed to and Jordan will be present with us anyway.”

Lois considered the teen’s request briefly. Then nodded.

“Of course and I understand. But just for tonight. And remember to keep the bedroom door open,” she agreed then added. And further reminded them. Deciding to trust them and especially since Jordan would be present with them like Candace said.

Jon and Candace thanked her in response and agreed to her terms. Then headed up to Jon and Jordan’s bedroom. Candice supporting her boyfriend.

Once they were gone Lucy turned towards her sister.

“Could you please excuse me for a moment? I’d going outside to make an important phone call,” she politely requested to which Lois nodded. After which Lucy stepped outside and onto the porch before pulling out her cell and dialing a number. One belonging to a close and trusted friend of hers. Following a few brief rings, a female voice answered.

“Lucy?”, the woman responded in a warm tone.

“It’s me. And I’m glad you responded. It’s about Jon and Candice,” Lucy happily confirmed then began before continuing. “Earlier today they were attacked and Jon was severely hurt. I managed to get to them before those responsible inflicted further damage upon my nephew or harmed his girlfriend. She, my sister, and myself nursing him in regards to his injuries after I brought him back home.

“Tonight and after dinner they requested I train them. To protect them from any future threats against them.”

Lucy then paused for a moment. Then spoke once more and said the words that she knew the other woman would understand.

“It’s time Nichols,” she declared. “Please inform your husband.”

The woman known as Nichols nodded on her end.

“I understand. And we’ll be there tomorrow,” she confirmed then informed her. “See you soon.”

 “You to,” Lucy responded readily after which both women hung up their phones.

Nichols meanwhile, who was currently in Los Angeles, California, turned towards her aforementioned husband.

“That was Lucy,” she said to him. “It’s about Jon and Candice.”

The man’s eyes widened in response.

“It’s time then?” he questioned his wife and love to which she nodded.

“Yes Rob. It’s time,” she affirmed and to which he nodded.

“I’ll start packing then. Smallville here we come,” he said then added with a smile which she returned before he went to their bedroom closet to do exactly that.

Back in Smallville, Lucy continued standing on the porch attached to her family’s home, thinking about everything when she sensed a presence standing nearby.

“You know what you have to do right?” he questioned her. The man beside her wearing a white suit and necktie. In addition to sporting a salt and pepper goatee.

He also held a pair of aviator sunglasses within his hands.

“I do. And don’t worry. We will train the 2 of them as hard as we can and ensure they’re prepared for the call,” she responded and assured him.

The man nodded in satisfaction.

“Good to hear,” he stated. Satisfied. “My colleagues and I are counting on you. Just we’re counting on Nichols, her husband, and the other instructors we’ve selected to train our chosen champions,” he then added and reminded her.

“I know. And we’re all aware of the stakes. They’ll be ready once we’re done”, Lucy replied to him and with certainty. “And please send your colleagues within the Protectorate my regards.”

“I will. And you take care of yourself now you hear?”

“Of course Tony. And see you next time,” she promised with a bright smile.

The man, now known as Tony, smiled back and lifting up his sunglasses attached them to his eyes before turning away from her and departing. Walking away until vanishing into thin air.

Afterwards Lucy went back inside her sister and brother in law’s home. Knowing that the upcoming weeks were going to be a very interesting time for herself, her nephew, and his girlfriend.

 

 

 

To Be Continued

Notes:

As you can see, this interlude sets the stage for the following arc of Jon’s and Candice’s journey. And to be fully clear once more, their X-K arc has come to a definitive end and won’t be referenced except in passing and if called for.

As for Nichols and Rob, they’re from another franchise and they’ll be properly introduced within the following chapter. During which this fic will become a crossover.

Thank you all very much for reading and for all of the kudos and bookmarks.

Notes:

I hope you all enjoyed this first chapter and this alternative to their father and son talk.

I’ve also decided to stop here since this chapter is long enough in my opinion and I want to have something available for next week.

The next chapter will bring in Lucy Lane and she’ll play a significant role in regards to Jon and Candice’s decisions moving forward. Speaking of which but this version of Lucy will be different than the one we saw within the series.

Have a blessed day.

Series this work belongs to: