Actions

Work Header

Jonathan’s X-K Storyline: Alternate Version

Summary:

A different take on Jon’s X-K arc in which it’s handled differently than in canon & starting with how Clark first addresses the matter. And not just for Jon but for Candice as well. Followed by the two of them being prepared for threats which spell doom for humanity.

{Emergence Of Champions: Volume VIII}

Notes:

Hi everyone how’s it going?

I personally think Jon was provided with a well written arc in terms of character development in regards to his doping in sports storyline. And plus it was also a good one for any youths watching the series to take note of in regards to the consequences of doping in sports while not being preachy despite it being an SJW storyline in my opinion.

Clark however could’ve handled it a lot better than he did and while at first I’d had no problem with his actions someone else pointed out to me how it could’ve all been better handled. That while Jon definitely deserved to be punished he also needed to be comforted. And there were the extenuating circumstances of him possibly feeling left out by his father and brother power wise. As such I’ll be writing an alternative version of Jon’s arc starting after Clark found out which will hopefully present a better handled one. And I’ll also be giving the former’s girlfriend Candice her own development as well.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Setting: Smallville

Location: Lane-Kent Family Home

 

Clark was shocked when he was informed by his clearly distraught wife of Jon’s most recent activities, neither of them ever having expected him to take this path in his life despite all they’d done to direct his path and especially considering the strong moral principles they thought he’d always held close to him.

Initially Clark had at first felt tremendous anger towards their son but quickly managed to reign in his emotions knowing he needed to handle this with a clear head. And that also inclined hearing him out like Lois had. And so steeling himself, no pun intended, he’d made his way to his sons room and entered.

Jonathan was currently seated at the edge of his bed, head down, reflecting upon his earlier conversation with his mother, not being able to bear the clear heartache and disappointment within her eyes but knowing he deserved every aspect of it. He then lifted his head upwards and saw his father standing before him.

“Dad?! Oh my gosh you’re back are you alright? I heard what happened and was really worried about you and so was mom and Jordan and I was really scared you weren’t going to come home,” he exclaimed with tremendous relief coursing through him before laying his emotions bare regarding his dad having been taken into custody.

Clark smiled softly.

“Yes I’m back and yes I’m alright. I’m sorry I scared all of you with what happened but I’m here now,” he answered and moved to reassure him.

Jon nodded and smiled.

“I was really scared we were going to lose you forever and I didn’t know how you were going to extract yourself from that situation,” he emotionally stated to his father. “I didn’t even know if you’d be able to and grandpa was making calls but there was no word and I was frightened I’d never see you again.”

Clark sighed and pursed his lips before kneeling before him and clasping ahold of his shoulder.

“Again, I’m truly sorry you had to experience that and no one should ever have to face the possibility of potentially losing their parent. But throughout my time in custody neither you, your brother, nor your mother left my thoughts and heart and it was the 3 of you who kept me going and provided me with the strength I needed to endure what was happening and inspired me to figure out a way to get out of there,” Clark apologized once more while looking directly into his son’s eyes as he continued.

“But know that wherever I am and regardless of what situation I’m impeded by I will always do my best to return home to you guys and no one and nothing can ever separate me from you guys. For all of you are my home and no matter what I will always fight to return home to you all. Okay?” he further reassured Jon and just as emotionally while the young man in turn nodded.

Clark smiled after which his face morphed into a grave expression.

“With that settled, we need to have a serious discussion about your recent activities,” he stated seriously to which Jon gulped then nodded. Pleased he had his son’s attention, Clark continued.

“Your mom informed me of what you’ve been up to and I just cannot believe you would do something like this. This is not how your mother and I raised you and this is more than disappointing towards us both and we both thought you knew better. You know as well as anyone else that doping in sports is more than highly serious plus an unfair disadvantage and I’m sorry but you really crossed a major line here and should be ashamed of yourself,” he said to him with a firm tone and Jon nodded.

“You’re right dad and I am ashamed of myself. Very much so and you’re right. This is not how you and mom raised me and I royally screwed up and in one of the worst ways possible,” he completely agreed with his dad while holding himself back from crying. “I want you to know however that I was actually going to quit doing it this afternoon since like you said I was completely out of line. Very recently but some sense was knocked into me which thankfully opened my eyes towards my wrongdoing and as such but when I was offered more of the X-K today I refused, not wanting anything more to do with any of it and stood my ground. But it was at that moment the principal and school security caught me with the stuff and you know the rest. I foolishly thought they were going to go easy on me due to my solid academic record and that it was my first truly serious offense. I had to learn the hard way however that it wasn’t the case.”

Clark nodded upon hearing that while pleased to hear Jon had come to his senses.

“I see, and I’m happy to hear you acknowledge the wrongness of your actions. I’m also glad you decided to quit and no longer engage in that activity for it’s never too late to do the right thing and I’m proud of you. Nevertheless the fact that you were doping still needs to be answered for and since actions have consequences. But I need to ask what caused you to go in that direction in the first place and violate all of the standards your mother and I raised you by?”

Jon looked down.

“Like I told mom earlier, I felt like everyone in this family was great at something and therefore wanted to be the same. Plus I didn’t mention this to her but I’ve also been feeling a bit jealous towards you and Jordan having powers and was craving that experience and the X-K gave me a short cut to it. Plus I really wanted to start the football season in order to move forward front the mess Uncle Tal put us through,” he explained before continuing.

“I also heard how Timmy was taking the substance and his attitude about it annoyed me and so I foolishly decided to stoop to his level to keep up with him even though I knew that two wrongs never make a right.

“What I did was wrong however, I should’ve never taken X-K to begin with, I’ve brought dishonor to our family, and I want you and mom both to know that I’m really sorry for all of it and I promise I’ll make it up to you both,”

Clark listened to all his son had to say and pursed his lips, considering the young man’s words. After a moment he responded.

“First of all I’d like to say that it was never my intention to make you feel inferior to myself or to Jordan and if you were feeling left out then I’m truly sorry. And I promise that in the future I’ll make it up to you. But you should’ve come to me about your emotions instead of burying it inside of yourself. And I understand where you’re coming from and am also glad you acknowledged that two wrongs don’t make a right.

“Right now I need for you to tell me who was selling the X-K to you. That’s something you need to do for your own sake. Trust me but it’s not worth it to retain this info. So again, who was your supplier?”

In response towards his father’s question Jon looked away nervously, swallowing. A part of him knew what the right thing to do was and what not only his parents but also morality expected him to do. Despite knowing all of that he instead refused to budge.

“I’m sorry dad. But I can’t tell you that. I’ll accept and endure whatever the consequences for my behavior are and as you, mom, and the school see fit and I deserve them all. But I’m not going to bring up the other person since I don’t want to ruin their lives and especially considering the extenuating circumstances of their own lives. I’m sorry dad.”

Clark shook his head, disappointed.

“So am I son. And there will be consequences and once more I’m proud of you for understanding and accepting that. Though let me be clear in that you’re not doing any favors for yourself or the other person you’re covering for, whoever they are. With that said the first thing that’s going to happen is that tomorrow you’re going to apologize to the high school football team. As for said consequences you’re of course going to be expelled from school though to be clear I have no intention of allowing you to fall back on your academics and as such we’re going to find an alternative source for your education whether it’s online or out of town or somewhere else.

“Finally we’ll be having a long and hard talk about your behavior and reapplying the lessons your mother and I thought you knew in regards to representing this family. Am I clear?!”

Jonathan nodded to his father’s words and firm tone.

“Yes sir. And I really am sorry for everything,” he responded to which Clark nodded in return.

“Good. I want you to know that despite everything you’re still my son and I love you and this won’t change that. But as long as you remain obstinate about revealing who your dealer was and in addition but as a consequence of your own actions you’ll remain expelled from school and also be partially grounded in that in regards to your having a job which will be discussed later this week you’ll only be allowed to go to that job and you’ll only get to hang out with your friends and girlfriend at your job. And I’ll let you continue walking Candice home at night since there is safety in numbers and I know how much you care about her. But being anywhere else other than to your upcoming job, walking her home, or here at home you’ll need mine or your mother’s permission.”

“I understand dad,” Jon agreed, not like he had any other choice but to cooperate though he was showing he would comply with his father’s declarations. He did feel relief however that he did not hate him for his actions and would still love him despite everything. And while he was disappointed he wouldn’t get to hang out with Candice and his friends outside of the current parameters his father had set for him he knew and accepted that he was in no position to argue.

“Now you go ahead and get some sleep alright?” Clark then added, satisfied.

“Okay dad,” his son replied after which they both bid each other good night before Clark exited the room and Jon began getting himself ready for bed.

 

 

 

To Be Continued

Notes:

I hope you all enjoyed this first chapter and this alternative to their father and son talk.

I’ve also decided to stop here since this chapter is long enough in my opinion and I want to have something available for next week.

The next chapter will bring in Lucy Lane and she’ll play a significant role in regards to Jon and Candice’s decisions moving forward. Speaking of which but this version of Lucy will be different than the one we saw within the series.

Have a blessed day.