Actions

Work Header

Supergirl-in Waiting

Summary:

For Lara Kent, having her dad be Superman was amazing. For Clark Kent and Lois Lane she was the sunshine after their daughter Natalie died. Sadly none of them knew that where she came from would complicate the family 14 years later when Morgan Edge comes on the scene and something they never figured would happen, happens.

Chapter 1: Adoption

Chapter Text

Tina Edge lay in the bed feeling as if the labor was going to rip her apart. Morgan hadn't told her that giving birth to a hybrid from his home was going to feel like this. Of course after getting pregnant he, for the most part, ignored her and the child she carried. He didn't even have the courtesy to be here for the birth. The only thing he seemed to do was name their daughter. After finding out it was a girl she carried, he insisted she be named Lara after his mother. Tina felt another painful contraction and bore down hard.

The infant's screams filled the cubicle and the nurse cleaned her before bringing her to Tina. "Lara. Her name is Lara," Tina said as they laid the soft pink bundle in her arms.

"Should we notify Mr. Edge that the child is here?" The doctor asked in his precise British voice.

"No. If he cared, he would have been here. No. He doesn't deserve to be a father. I wish for her to be put in an orphanage," Tina said, her heart nearly breaking as she caressed her daughter's face gently with her fingers.

"Mr. Edge is going to wonder about the baby, Mum," the doctor said doubtfully.

"I'm sure he is, but he is never to know. Tell him me and the baby died. She deserves a better father than him and I can't stand another minute with him," Tina said. With tears streaming down her cheeks, she kissed Lara's head softly and let her go.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Clark Kent and his wife Lois had entered the orphanage in Metropolis five months later. When Lois had lost their baby, adoption had never entered their thinking, but after finding out that she would never have another baby after their twins, Jordan and Jonathan, Lois was willing to consider it. Of course, the baby would be a girl, but Lois and Clark agreed that they wouldn't name it Natalie as that was the name of the daughter they had lost. Clark said he was thinking of his mom Martha's name or his mother Lara from Krypton. Lois had wisely said that Martha isn't too common of a name and she might get teased unless they called her Marty. But she did say she liked Lara just fine. They had already named the boys after Jonathan Kent and Jor-el. Clark had agreed that Lara would be perfect and Martha had said she had never wanted a granddaughter with her name. Jor-el at the fortress had backed it, saying Lara would be pleased to have her granddaughter named after her as well.

Mrs. Cavendish, who ran the orphanage came out to meet them. "Mr. Kent, Mrs. Kent, it's a pleasure to meet you. Now is there any particular orphan you have in mind? We have recently brought in British orphans of all ages," the woman said.

"We are wanting a girl and an infant is preferable," Clark said.

"We have five infant girls. There is Jane, Guinevere, Miranda, Louisa, and Lara. Lara is the youngest at five months old," Mrs. Cavendish said, not noticing the surprise in Clark's and Lois's eyes.

"Lara is the one we would want We said if we adopt that we would adopt a girl and name her Lara after Clark's birth mother," Lois said.

"Very well, come with me to the nursery," Mrs. Cavendish said and they followed her down the hall to a room full of crying infants. They stopped in front of a crib with the name Lara Edge on it. Clark then noticed that she wasn't crying.

Lois then spied the nameplate on the crib. "Edge?" Lois asked.

"Yes. Her father is the millionaire, Morgan Edge. From what I heard from the doctors in England, his wife says that he isn't fit to be a father and she wanted their child to have the best chance at being loved," Mrs. Cavendish said as Lois picked the little girl up. The little girl made soft baby noises and curled into Lois's chest.

"She's perfect," Clark said, laying his hand on her head gently.

"So, she's the one you want?" Mrs. Cavendish asked.

"Yes. She should be able to fit into our family and she has two brothers at home," Lois said.

"Well, we need to run a background check and she needs to go to the doctor. After that she should be able to go home with you as all that is just formality," Mrs. Cavendish said as Lois handed the baby to the nurse and they went to the office.