Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 2 of Realmwalker
Stats:
Published:
2022-09-05
Updated:
2023-06-18
Words:
142,658
Chapters:
43/44
Comments:
488
Kudos:
982
Bookmarks:
215
Hits:
49,671

Happier Than Ever

Summary:

Thanos is coming, which means all hands on deck. Steve and the others are coming back to the compound. But things aren't the same. Tony doesn't need them, not anymore. Not with his kids, not with his love Stephen Strange, and not with the preparations for Thanos. Sadly Steve doesn't seem to get the memo, and tries to push for 'team bonding' and 'unification'. Unfortunately for Tony and Steve, not everyone is wanting to play nice. Something darker is under the surface, and after Thanos is dealt with, it begins to rear its ugly head. Tony and Stephen aren't sure their family will be able to all make it out in one piece.

Chapter 1: "When I'm Away From You..."

Notes:

So for some reason the note I put in when I posted this disappeared. So, to start all over--

Hello again everyone! Thank you for checking out the second story of my Cursed series 'Happier Than Ever'! Now I know a lot of people do not like Steve Rogers, I ask you bear with his POV for the first two chapters. After that it's back to Tony and the kids.

Speaking of, if you have not read the first one "Transparent Soul" you will be so confused by everything. I highly recommend it.

Chapters are posted Monday Wednesday and Friday, unless something happens in which I will always warn you guys

Trigger warnings will always be in the notes, and the tags will be updated as we go through the story

Titles are based on songs, which if you listen to great if not it's not gonna change the experience, I promise.

And without further ado, enjoy!

Title from - Happier Than Ever by Billie Eilish

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It was nearly 10 months before Steve saw Tony on TV. Sam had called him out to the main room, where everyone except Bucky was gathered. They currently had their own apartments in Wakanda, within the palace walls. T’Challa didn’t want them roaming around due to the unrest the world had for them. Sam had the tv on, saying there was a press conference that Tony was in. The last one they’d seen was informing the public of the new co-leaders, Major Carol Danvers and Colonel James Rhodes. Sam always looked heartbroken at seeing Rhodey in his wheelchair. This time Danvers and Rhodey were joined with a woman they didn’t recognize, a man in a red cloak that Steve thought looked ridiculous, and there was Tony. Sitting next to said cloaked man.

“Is it just me or did Stark have some work done?” Scott asked from his spot.

“What do you mean?” Steve asked, looking at him.

“He looks…younger.” Steve looked back to the TV, and he was right. Tony did look younger. Gone were the hard lines and grey hairs. He looked really healthy too, which made Steve feel relief.

“What’s this about?” He asked, looking around.

“Apparently there was some cultist group going around killing homeless people. Stark, Spider-Man and this new guy stopped it.” Nat said from the couch, watching the press conference with annoyance.

“Wait new guy? That weirdo with the cloak is now an Avenger?”

“A consultant. But he signed the accords.” Clint snorted next to Nat. Steve frowned, but stayed quiet as Danvers informed the press of what had occurred, before motioning for Tony to take the podium.

“Turn it up Sam.” Steve said, listening.

“I’m sure you have plenty of questions, but before we get to that there is something we need to discuss. During the investigation into the cultists that have caused this damage, Spider-Man and myself came across a teenage girl, who in turn helped us find the leader of said cult. She, and her two siblings are the only survivors of this tragedy. Because of this, they have no where to go. As I’m sure many of you know thanks to a leak, I am now their legal guardian.”

“Leak?” Sam looked confused.

“Apparently someone leaked pictures of the kids.” Nat said, already on her phone. “I’m trying to find them now.” Steve continued to watch the screen.

The reporters roared to life again, asking questions and yelling. Tony let them for a moment, before again, putting a hand up to calm them down. “I know you all have plenty of questions, but I need to get through this guys.” He chuckled, causing a few to chuckle as they all calmed down. “We have already looked for any living relatives, and found none. These kids…have been through hell. They were tortured, physically and emotionally.” He swallowed painfully. “Locked in freezers and pet crates…stones thrown at them…bruised and beaten….” Tony let out a shaky breath. “I couldn’t let them get hurt anymore. The state not only agreed but has graciously allowed me to foster them. I know many of you want to know about adoption but right now, my main focus is making sure they get the help they need.” He sighed, before nodding. “Now…let’s do this in an orderly manor.”

“Jesus Christ.” Clint swore. “That’s…fucking horrible.”

“Mr. Stark, so with you confirming that you have the children, are you concerned with your duties as part of the Avengers?”

“No. The Avengers are still growing, with plenty of room for more to join. I’m not going to be needed as often. But if we have another ‘world ending event’ you know Iron Man will be there.” He smiled at her. He pointed to another woman with dark hair.

“Mr Stark are they going to reside with you in the compound, since you sold off Stark Tower?”
“Yes, they will be here with me. Before any of you think they’re running the place, thanks to our advanced protocols they cannot enter any of the doors of the lower floors, only the living quarters.”

“Wait he sold Stark Tower?” Steve asked, confused.

“A few months ago yeah.”

“Are the rest of the Avengers alright with this?” Tony looked to Danvers and Rhodey, both smirking. Rhodey stood before going to the podium and quickly answering.

“We’re all fine with the kids being here.”

“See? Even my platypus loves them.” Tony chuckled. Rhodey sat back down, shaking his head.

“Will we get any interviews with them?!” Someone had yelled, and Tony had to quickly stop that.

“No, no interviews. They’ve been traumatized enough.” He laughed, before pointing to someone in the back.

“Is there any word on if Captain America and the others will come back, especially considering you won’t be on the field as often.” Steve sucked in a breath hoping to hear some good news finally.

“As of now the Accords Council has had no word of integrating the previous Avengers that have gone rogue. I do not have any more information on that subject.” Wanda scoffed, annoyed.

“Mr. Stark, the reports we got was that you have three girls, is that correct?” As soon as the man said that Steve saw Tony’s face grow dark, eyes sharp.

“That is false. There are two girls and one boy.”

“But the information we received is that there are three girls, one fifteen, one twelve and one three.”

“Two girls. One boy. Am I clear? Speaking of the report…” He smiled at the reporter, and it made the man step back a bit. It was the smile Tony Stark saved for his enemies. “We found out that the gentlemen who leaked the information also shared pictures. Any outlet that puts those up will be hearing from me, seeing as those are pictures of minors without their consent and without their guardians consent.” There was a lot of shuffling from the reporters. “Anything else?”

“Actually yes. The names that were given were Ana Michelle and Mia. How do you explain one of them being male? Are you trying to push one into a male role? Maybe trying to push your agenda on them? I worry you’re trying to corrupt her.” Tony paused, smile fading as he calmly spoke.

“What news outlet do you work for?”

“Uh…New York Post sir.”

“The New York Post…hm…so you have medical records of minors now?”

“Uh…no sir I don’t think…”

“Because unless you had the medical records you wouldn’t know my son’s deadname. You wouldn’t even know he was transgender. So tell me. How do you know this?”

“It was in the file with the pictures.”

“I see. Well Mr…”

“Johnson.”

“Mr. Johnson. You can tell your boss that thanks to you The New York Post will be banned from future Avengers press conferences, and they should expect a lawsuit.” The man looked like his knees were going to buckle. “For the rest you, let this be a lesson. You do not talk negatively about my kids. You do not misgender my kids. You do not…mess with my kids.” He turned and walked off stage. The woman they didn’t recognize came to the podium after Danvers calmed them down. Steve stopped listening at that.

“Jesus the hell is wrong with that guy.” Sam said, disgusted.

“Who?”

“That reporter guy…Johnson! He just outed the kid.” Steve blinked at him. “Wait…Steve do you not know what transgender is?”

“I mean…no? Is that why he said Tony was pushing his agenda on the poor girl?” Scott sucked in a breath, looking at Sam a little panicked.

“Steve…” Sam sighed. “We need to talk about this.” He then explained about transgender, and a bit more about the LGBT. Steve knew being gay was ok, and he had no problem with it. He didn’t know about the gender stuff, and when Sam explained what exactly that reporter did he felt gross. Especially seeing as he just called the little boy a…girl.

“I found the pictures and medical files they mentioned.” Nat said after Sam finished, showing Steve. There was the three kids, and he couldn’t tell one from the other. Ana was the name of the oldest, Michelle the middle, and Ana the youngest. Michelle’s back was damaged, Mia had malnutrition and the only thing as far as Ana was ‘scars’. The blurry photos of the three made Steve feel uneasy, not because of Tony having the kids but what they went through. “I can’t get any other information about this cult. I don’t want to try to pull anything from Stark’s servers because I don’t want him able to track it. I’ll have to hope they give us a bit fancier tech before I can do that.” Steve nodded.

“So Stark’s adopting huh? That’s…weird to think.” Scott said offhandedly.

“What do you mean adopt?” Steve said after reading through what was given.

“The social worker just said Stark’s starting the adoption process.”

“He shouldn’t. Those kids deserve someone other than him.” Wanda hissed, glaring at the screen.

“I dunno, he’d be able to give them everything they ever wanted.” Scott shrugged.

“Meaning we’d have three spoiled little brats. Great.” Clint sighed. “Pisses me off. I can’t see my kids but he gets to just pluck some off the street.”

“Guys if social services is involved they’re gonna keep a close eye on Stark. He’s not just gonna throw money at them and make it happen.” Sam said, annoyed. Steve couldn’t tell if it was with Clint or with Tony.

“He might.” Nat said shrugging. “We’ll have to see. I’m more annoyed he’s not giving anything about us.” Steve nodded. He knew he was angry still but…Tony couldn’t stay mad forever.

Right?

——

After that press conference anything Steve looked up as far as Tony was him and the kids. He saw pictures and videos of the kids at the zoo, at the aquarium, and Tony wasn’t alone. He had that cloaked man with him. Doctor Stephen Strange. Seeing Tony with the man made his stomach twist. He didn’t care that Tony was bi…or was it pan? He remembered reading up more on lgbt and transgender teens after seeing more and more news about the boy (Michael, not Michelle) but he couldn’t remember which was which. Either way Tony liked to swing both ways. That wasn’t the problem. The problem was that he was starting a relationship with someone while trying to get these kids settled. From what Nat said it was still going through with the adoption process. There was talks about a quiet funeral for their mother, and no word on their father or if he was alive. There was also no word on them coming back.

“It’s been almost a year why haven’t they called us back?” Clint complained one afternoon. “Stark is really prolonging this bullshit.”

“Dude I hate to break it to you but I don’t think it’s Stark that’s doing anything.” Sam said, looking up from his book.

“Yeah, he’s not doing anything about us not being home!”

“No I mean it wouldn’t be his call. Rhodes and Danvers are the new leaders yeah? Have you even seen Iron Man in the news besides his private life?” Everyone got quiet as they thought on it. They saw War Machine and Captain Marvel around for a few things, hell even Wasp which Scott identified as Hope Van Dyne was seen. No word on Iron Man or Vision, which upset Wanda. She wanted to reach out to the android, to explain why she couldn’t stay at the compound.

“From what I could tell the council has been talking about it.” Nat still had some connections, but she had to be careful. “But Stark Danvers and Rhodes have pushed back.”

“Maybe T’Challa can assist?” Scott asked. “I mean I know he goes to meetings with them.”

“Scott you’re brilliant.” Steve smiled. “I’ll talk to him next time I see him with Shuri.” It would be a few weeks before he was able to speak with T’Challa, seeing as he was busy with Wakandan politics and then the council. During that time Steve saw that there was an incident at some science museum where a woman tried to take the youngest, Mia.

“Jesus that’s terrifying.” Scott said as they watched the news on it. “I can’t imagine if anyone tried to take Cassie.”

“Yeah…luckily the woman was stopped.” Sam agreed. Things went on, and the next time they saw anything about Tony was when they got sharks trending on social media.

“Dude look at this! I couldn’t even afford a party like this!” Scott was telling Sam. Steve looked at his phone where there were pictures from an aquarium, and he saw the little girl smiling brightly. She truly looked happy.

“Figures he’d spoil her with an expensive birthday.” Clint snorts.

“How expensive could that be?” Steve said, frowning.

“Dude it’s like almost 200 bucks a kid for a birthday like this. Meaning Stark probably paid for it.”

“You don’t think he paid off these parents to bring their kids do you?”

“I wouldn’t be surprised.” Clint shrugged.

——

 

The next time he checked on Bucky in Shuri’s lab T’Challa was there. “Your Majesty. Can I speak to you for a moment?” He asked, waiting for T’Challa to be done talking to his sister.

“What can I do for you Captain?” T’Challa smiled.

“I was wondering if there’d been any word about us going back home.” T’Challa frowned at that.

“Not yet no. I have mentioned that it might be time to have you come back but…there has been pushback. I do not want to make it obvious that I know where you are.” Steve nodded, understanding. At least T’Challa was trying. 


“How’s Buck?”

“Our doctors are having issues with the trigger words. We’re trying our best but until we can know for sure that they’re gone…” Steve nodded, understanding. “If only we had a way to view how the words were put in. Sadly all documentation on the Winter Solider was destroyed.” Steve nodded, thinking before remembering something Nat had mentioned recently.

“Tony.” Steve said suddenly. “Tony was working on something…he did some presentation before we had to meet for the Accords for the first time. I think he did it at MIT?” T’Challa hummed, pulling up what Steve was talking about. Dr. Tony Stark gave a presentation on B.A.R.F. Tony really needed to work on the name.

“I will have to look into this. By the way…what happened between you and Dr. Stark?” Steve felt his stomach drop at that question. T’Challa hadn’t asked about anything in Siberia since they got to Wakanda.

“Just a big misunderstanding.” T’Challa hummed again, nodding before motioning Shuri over. Steve sat with Bucky’s chamber as he watched Shuri get excited over the new tech Tony was sharing during that presentation.

Everything would work out.

——

Its nearly another month before T’Challa and Shuri get back to him. T’Challa was firm about the device not being used yet for the public. When Steve tries to argue T’Challa pinned him with a glare. Something must have happened during the council meeting, so Steve dropped it. But that’s not the only thing that changes. Shuri is no longer friendly to him when he goes to the lab to visit Bucky. She’s very cold and curt with him, which was weird since he’d always been kind to the young princess. Again it must be something else that caused it.

——

The bombing in Queens had Steve on edge. He wanted to be there, to help the people that were hurt but they couldn’t. The bombing was from Chitauri tech, which just set him more on edge.

“We need to be there to help.” He said pacing.

“Dude we can’t. Plus it looks like they caught the guy.” Scott said, looking upset at the damage. Steve sighed, sitting down.

“I wonder why he targeted that building…” Nat questioned, watching. It was obvious why a month or so later later when news came out that Tony Stark’s intern, Peter Parker was one of the victims in the bombing. His Aunt didn’t make it. The reason he even hit the news was because Tony was now the legal guardian for Mr. Parker.

“So another kid that he doesn’t deserve.” Wanda growled. Steve knew she hated Tony but it couldn’t be that bad for him to take care of the boy.

“I mean it’s kinda his fault right?” Clint asked offhandedly.

“What!?” Steve looked to him horrified.

“They bombed his apartment. He’s Tony Stark’s intern. Seems like the reason they did it.” Nat looked to Steve, thinking it as well. Steve swallowed painfully, hoping that wasn’t the case.

——

As the months went by it was starting to get more annoying that Tony hadn’t called them back. They kept seeing more and more with Tony and the kids, and with this Doctor Strange. While Scott and Sam said the pictures of the kids in their Halloween costumes were cute everyone was getting upset that Tony was out there free while they were stuck in Wakanda. It didn’t help that the king and the princess have made it clear they were not as welcome as they once was. Steve had no idea what caused that.

And then the Asgardians came.

They saw the news about Thor being back, looking more rough with short hair and missing an eye, along with Bruce who looked…good? Not as nervous…which made Steve smile. Nat looked happy to see the scientist. But with them came all of Asgard. Apparently their home was destroyed. They watched the news that New Asgard as they so called it was going to be in Norway. There was footage of Tony, Doctor Strange, Danvers and Rhodey along with so many others pitching in to help get Thor’s people settled. Steve ached to be there to help, but T’Challa had told them absolutely not. He and the Wakandans were helping but if they tried to come to help it would be a big problem for not only Steve’s team but T’Challa.

——

A week after T’Challa coldly told them they couldn’t help Thor, Steve got great news. Bucky was awake. Somehow Shuri had managed to get rid of the trigger words. When he got to the lab he saw Bucky standing, listening to one of the doctors.

“Bucky!” Bucky flinched, looking over. He looked dead on his feet.

“Hey Punk.” He said softly, giving a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes.

“How’re you feeling?”

“Exhausted. I was just talking to the doctor about where I’ll be staying.” Steve’s smile faltered.

“You’ll be with us…won’t you Buck?” Bucky shook his head.

“No…I’m still not…quite right.”

“But the triggers are gone!”

“Yeah…the nightmares aren’t.” Steve looked heartbroken. “I’ve had to relive the memories of the triggers, the torture…the doctors think it’ll help being away from everything.”

“So where are you going to go?”

“T’Challa has a hut set aside for me. That way if my PTSD gets bad I won’t…hurt anyone.”

“W-Well can I see you?”

“Sure…but not too much…I still need to heal.” Steve nodded, trying not to show how upset that made him. Buckey needed to heal, he knew that but…he wanted his friend to come with him! It felt wrong that he had to ask permission to go see his friend which most of the time Bucky declined, saying it was a bad day. Christmas came and went, with the team feeling down. Clint missed his family, Scott his daughter, Sam his sister…Steve wanted to see Bucky but Bucky wasn’t feel well enough for visitors.

It was miserable.

 

——

What really caused everyone to freak out was the next press conference, a little while later.

Where Loki was standing next to Thor.

“What the fuck?! I thought he was dead!” Clint jumped up from his spot on the couch. They were going on about how Loki was just as much a victim as those he controlled, that he was actually exonerated for his crimes. Clint just threw more of a fit, while Nat and Sam tried to calm him down. Steve had to step away, grabbing the cell phone he had. He hoped Tony would answer him on what was going on. It rang and rang and rang before disconnecting with no answer. He sighed, before trying again. It finally clicked with an answer.

“Tony?” There was shuffling in the background of the phone but nothing else. “Tony what have you done?! Loki’s—”

“Tony’s not here right now.” Steve stopped, blinking. That wasn’t a voice he recognized. “I’m afraid you’re speaking to the wrong person in regards to Loki.” Steve paused, confused.

“I’m sorry who is this?”

“That’s really not your concern.” He heard something in the background afterwards, but couldn’t decipher what it was.

“You don’t sound like Pepper.”

“I’m not.” The girl huffed. “Why are you calling? If you have a concern with Loki you need to speak to the Accords Council. Or to War Machine and Captain Marvel.”

“Wha-What?” He was taken back by her attitude.

“They’re the leaders of the Avengers. Tony Stark had nothing to do with it.”

“But he—”

“No!” The girl on the phone barked out, shutting Steve up. “Now I’m going to hang up this phone. If you call back I will destroy said phone. Got it?” Now he was angry.

“How dare you—” Again he was cut off.

“No how dare you call acting like Tony Stark is somehow the villain of this story. He’s not. Now leave him be. If you don’t…” There was a pause. “I will make Siberia look like a fucking cakewalk.” The phone crackled before disconnecting. Steve stared at it, dread filling him. That deep voiced sounded...downright demonic.

When he spoke to T’Challa that evening, he made it clear that it was urgent to get in touch with Tony about what happened. It wasn’t until that morning that T’Challa had told him everything was ok with Tony, and Steve had spoken to his daughter. When trying to let T’Challa know about the deep voice T’Challa shook his head and brushed off Steve’s concerns.

A week later Steve received a package of a broken flip phone, that looked like it had been crushed.

Something was definitely wrong.

——

“Steve.” Nat called for him in the living room. When he came in he saw on the TV a tragedy had happened, an earthquake in Papua New Guinea. An all Avengers on deck tragedy.

“Have they said anything about us?” He asked, watching the reports coming in from the island itself.

“No. They called everyone else.” Scott said disappointed. As the news continued they saw video and photos of Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, War Machine, Spiderman, Thor and Loki of all people help.

“Who’s the grey one?” Wanda asked, as video of a person in a grey tight suit showed them using something that looked like bandages to pull rubble away from village homes and help get people out. Her outfit was different shades of grey, looking like almost wraps around her body, covering almost all of her. She had a mask on, and a rigid hood that shielded the back of her head. Her back was exposed but there wasn’t a clear picture of it.

“Said her name is Verocity. She's brand new.” Nat said, crossing her arms.

“Oh my god guys.” Scott said looking at his phone. “Look.” There on social media was a video of Loki using magic to stop a landslide, before he helped a mother and her two kids to safety. The fact people were cheering and thanking him made Steve sick.

It was a few days later that a press conference came up with the new superhero. She sat next to Tony, before being called up. She pulled down the hood, pulled the mask off and spoke with such a Stark smirk.

“My name is Ana Marie Stark. And I am Verocity.” Clint choked on his drink, coughing as he saw her standing proudly in front of the reporters.

“What the fuck?! Stark has his kid out there!?”

“She’s enhanced?” Sam asked.

“I don’t know…” Steve sat down, confused. Why would Tony let kid out there? Let alone his daughter?

“I’ll see what I can find.” Nat stood. Steve wasn’t sure how she was gonna find anything but he would have to see what she found.

It wasn’t until later that evening that the Dora Milaje suddenly barged in with Okoye and another in the lead, heading straight for where Nat’s room was. Several others stopped the group from moving more. Steve motioned for Wanda to stand down as the girl’s hands glowed red. It took a few minutes for Okoye to come out holding Nat’s arm and pulling her along while the other woman had a more high end tablet in her hand.

“What’s going on?!” Steve demanded, looking alarmed. None of the women spoke, all on guard with his team. It wasn’t until T’Challa came in that they got an answer. He looked angry, and took the tablet from the woman.

“Where did you get this?” He asked Nat. Okoye had yet to release her grip.

“Swiped it from the labs…when we went to see Barnes for his checkup.” That was a week ago.

“Do you realize what you have done?!” T’Challa was livid.

“I wanted to know why Stark was having a child as an Avenger.” Her eyes narrowed.

“You tried to hack Dr. Stark…and access files about his children. Not just Miss Stark but his other children!”

“I wanted to see if they were also enhanced.” Nat said bluntly.

“If they were it is not your place to know!” T’Challa pinches the bridge of his nose. “I should have you locked up and waiting for the Accords Council to deal with.” Wanda’s hands glowed again.

“Don’t you dare!” She hissed, but before she could do anything several metal spears were in her face and at her neck.

“One wrong move toward our King and you will be taken out.” One hissed.

“Wanda stand down!” Steve snapped. “T’Challa—”

“Your Majesty.” Okoye growled at him.

“Y-Your Majesty I’m sure this is a misunderstanding!”

“I got a call from Dr. Stark when he found there was someone trying to access his children's files. Please tell me how this is a misunderstanding? Is it a misunderstanding like Siberia?” Steve flinched, shutting his mouth with an audible click. He didn’t want the others to know so he didn’t try to say anything. T’Challa snorted.

“You are all confined to your rooms. Any threat against my people…” T’Challa glared at Wanda. “Will have you at the Councils mercy before you can even leave the country.” He left, with the Dora Milaje following.

“What the fuck Natasha?!” Sam cried.

“I wanted to know more about Ana. How she got her abilities, why she’s like this…if Stark is behind this.”

“So you hacked Stark and tried to find out about all of his kids?!”

“He may be using them! All of them like he’s using this one!”

“I’m sorry using her?” Scott’s jaw dropped.

“You can’t honestly believe she wanted to join! They’re so short staffed that they have to pull minors in.” Clint said, sighing. “Come on guys think about it. Why else would he have a minor, let alone his own kid?”

“It’s still fucking wrong! Those are minors Natasha. Minors.” Sam shook his head before walking out of the living room.

“Sam wait—” Steve started.

“No! Dude my sister has kids. And while they may be younger than this Ana is, trying to get their information is just…no man.” He left. Scott got up and followed, eyeing them all wearily.

“They just don’t know you guys are right.” Wanda said, huffing. “Stark probably doesn’t care about those kids. Probably paid the system off to keep them for keeping up an image.”

“Right. You couldn’t find anything could you Nat?” Clint asked.

“No. The kids information was tightly locked away so I couldn’t find anything at all.” Steve tuned them out after a bit.

The feeling of uneasiness returned.

——

“We’re going home?” Steve said. It was a few weeks later that T’Challa called everyone to his throne room. All the Dora Milaje were on high alert.

“Correct. There is a bigger problem coming for Earth, and so the Accords Council has decided you will be necessary.” T’Challa said calmly. Since Nat’s hacking they have not seen T’Challa or anyone else, barred from leaving.

“A bigger problem?” Clint asked.

“Correct. The real culprit of the Invasion.” Okoye hands over a tablet, which Steve starts going through. The Chitari weren’t the main enemy. Thanos. Thanos was the one who wanted to take Earth. For the Tesseract. For the Space Stone. Steve passed the tablet to Nat, swallowing painfully.

“And so Tony’s having us come back?” T’Challa tilts his head, regarding Steve. He feels like he’s being scolded by a teacher, or a commanding officer.

“The Accords Council wishes to have you back. They will be in contact soon with paperwork.”

“Paperwork?” Scott asked.

“Yes. Before you can come back there will be paperwork. Not just the Accords.”

“Wait why can’t we go to the compound for this paperwork?” Wanda whined.

“Because it’s not the same as it was before. There are new systems implemented that you need to follow. You, Captain Rogers.” T’Challa’s eyes narrowed. “Are no longer the leader of the Avengers. And to make sure you will follow command and the processes you will need to go through the same thing that any new members would.”

“What like Stark’s brat did?” Clint scoffed.

“Miss Stark went through the same thing yes. And because she is a minor she is only involved in training and doing evacuations on the field. The only reason she was there at the earthquake was because it was not a hostile situation.” Again that calm commanding voice. “But that is besides the point. You will remain here in my watch until all the necessary paperwork and contracts are signed.”

“Seriously why can’t we do them at the compound?” Steve asked.

“Because those who live at the compound do not trust you to behave. And considering how you acted previously…” He glared at Nat. “I’m inclined to agree.”

“Wait you think we’d hurt Starks kids?!” Sam paled.

“After what happened do you think I should trust you not to? That Dr. Stark would trust you not to?” Silence was his answer. “We will begin the paperwork in a few days, an accords liaison will be coming to Wakanda to go over everything with you.” They were dismissed. While the others complained about the paperwork and the hassle they were going through Steve couldn’t let that get his spirits down.

They were going home.

Notes:

God that was painful. Just one more of this chaos and then we get to our sweet family.

Chapter 2: What you gon' do when there's blood in the water?

Notes:

Ooooh my god you guys! Such a warm welcome with my first chapter! Thank you all for the comments and kudos, it really makes me feel a little serotonin. Now, this chapter is EXTRA long, because again...I didn't want you all to be tortured with more than two chapters in Steve POV.

Shoutout to AnonEhouse for the idea on Carol and Rhodey's bracelets. They suggested the tiger and platypus as well as a few others for other characters.

Title of this chapter is from Blood//Water by Grandson.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Scratch that. They were stuck in Wakanda for longer than expected. Steve expected once the liaison from the council came, it’d be really quick to get to the compound. No. No not even close. They had to go through and read not only the accords paperwork but paperwork in regards to how the compound worked. And it was whenever they were available to come to Wakanda, not really having a set timeframe to get them home. They were in a separate conference room in the palace for the meetings. Sarah, the liaison did not fool around, so they should be home sooner rather than later. Although at this rate…

“Wait, this isn’t a pardon?” Steve asked weakly.

“No. This isn’t a pardon. You will be held accountable for the crimes you committed, although instead of a prison and being deported…” Sarah glanced to Wanda briefly. “You’ll be doing community service by working with the Avengers and the Accords Council in regards to the threat of Thanos. If you’re on good behavior the time doing such service may be lessened.” That had been a whole day of going back in forth, trying to argue their case but getting nowhere. The next snag was a few days later.

“What do you mean the south part of the living quarters isn’t available?!” Clint growled, going over what they had for the day.

“I mean it’s not available. I know it’s been over a year but they’re still repairing the floors.” Sarah looked at Wanda sharply. The girl scowled at the blonde woman, not even apologetic on what she did to Vision.

“So where will we go?” Nat asked.

“You’ll be given your own floor, where the other wings will be available to you.”

“Wait, where’s Tony and the others staying?” Steve asked.

“On the top floor.” He frowned.

“So we wouldn’t be able to see them?”

“Not unless they gave you permission no.” Steve didn’t like that, but Sarah continued about the usage of the jets and equipment…which caused another round of questions.

“So we can’t use the jet without permission?” Sam asked. He had been quiet for the most part. He and Scott had started to pull away from the others, still upset with Nat on her hacking.

“Correct. You will also no longer be allowed on missions without the sanction of not only the Council but your leaders.”

“What if we’re needed?” Nat asked.

“If you’re needed then you’ll be allowed.” Sarah said in a clipped tone. “Now, about your equipment. The Council will be giving you your proper equipment and upgrades. You will need to fill out the form you see on page 43 in order to get in contact with an engineer to start the process.”

“Wait you mean Stark isn’t making our tech?! Our weapons?!” Clint said, frustrated.

“I’m not sure you knew this or not but Mr. Stark isn’t in the weapons making business. While he may make gear for some of the team he is not required to make yours as well.”

“So what we gotta kiss ass and hope he’ll give us the good stuff?!”

“Mr. Barton I have told you before, Mr. Stark doesn’t have to do anything. He has no obligation to be of service to you, whether it’s for equipment or for for your finances.”

“Finances?” Scott spoke up.

“Correct. You get a salary from the Council in regards to pay.”

“But Stark has always paid for us.” Nat said, confused.

“And now he doesn’t. And the Council isn’t going to just force him to pay anything extra for you. If he wishes to get you anything that’s on him but otherwise you have your pay, and that’s that.”

“That’s not fair!” Wanda said, crossing her arms.

“Life’s not fair Miss Maximoff. But I digress.” Sarah said offhandedly before continuing. By the end of the day they all were frustrated as they made their way back to the rooms.

“I can’t believe Stark is punishing us for his mistakes!” Wanda hissed as they entered the living room.

“What mistakes? We’re lucky they want us back at all!” Sam said, grabbing a drink from the kitchen.

“It’s his fault we’re here!”

“Do you even listen to yourself? It’s our fault we’re here. We didn’t sign the Accords, we didn’t listen to the law, and we’re now getting a chance to go back home. I dunno about you but I’m taking whatever they can give me.” Sam shook his head and left. Scott followed, not really wanting to talk to them. Steve sighed, sitting down. This whole thing was such a mess. What was worse is Bucky was getting his paperwork and speaking with a separate liaison because his terms were different. Steve was worried Tony had slipped something in his contract, but couldn’t go see him to see how it was going. Bucky was worn out with each meeting and didn’t want to see anyone.

“Wanda it’s fine. We’ll go through this and get home. Sooner this is over sooner we’re at the compound.” Steve said, leaning back. Clint turned on the TV, flipping through the channels before groaning.

“Guys look.” There was an interview with Ana Stark.

“Turn it up.” Steve said, wanting to see more on her. Clint did so, and they listened.

“So Ana, your birthday was just last week was it not?” The female reporter asked, smiling at the girl.

“Correct. Sweet 16.” Ana chuckled. She was wearing a grey slacks with a white button up, her hair with a shorter pixie cut, underside shaved.

“What did you and your family do for it?”

“It was just a small gathering. My dad got me several books for my collection.”

“Books?”

“Yeah. First editions or originals of some classic novels. I've got several now thanks to him.”

“So you like to read?” The reporter asked.

“Yeah. I’ve spent years without reading and learning, and now I can.”

“You’re talking about when you were in the cult.” Ana’s smile now looks sharper, more fake.

“Yes. Not happy memories.”

“Can I ask—”

“If it’s about the cult no. No. I’m trying to move past such things. I want to focus on what’s ahead of me. My family. My friends. Not on what happened, or the trauma that still keeps me up at night.” The blonde swallowed loudly, before nodding.

“Understandable.” She clears her throat. “Now about you being a superhero! Trying to follow in your father’s footsteps?”

“Something like that.” Ana smirked.

“Did Mr. Stark ask you to join?” Ana blinked, before throwing her head back laughing. The blonde woman looked baffled.

“Sorry sorry! It’s just…he refused at first. We had our first big fight over the fact I wanted to join.”

“So he didn’t push you to join?”

“Oh gods no. He downright shot the idea down. Took a lot of negotiating to get him, and my Aunt Carol and Uncle Rhodey to agree to it.”

“We’ll circle round back to the Aunt and Uncle but, you had to negotiate? Why would you do that?”

“Because…I have the ability to help people. To keep people safe. And I want to do that. The reason for my…gifts…were from a traumatic event. But if I can use that to save people? I’ll do it.”

“Very noble.” And the way the reporter smiles, it wasn’t fake. “Now about the Aunt and Uncle…you call Captain Marvel and War Machine Aunt and Uncle?”

“Yeah.” Ana snickers. “Dad had teased them with the titles and my little sister latched on. So we all call them Aunt and Uncle. We have quite a few now.”

“It must be nice to come from…such horrible roots to having a large and loving family.”

“Yeah…yeah I didn’t think I’d ever be here. I honestly thought I would’ve died before my 16th birthday…but here I am. With parents who loves me, my siblings are safe and happy, and more friends and family that I ever thought I’d have.” When Ana looked to the woman, her eyes shined a bit. “I’m probably the luckiest girl after all that.” She let out a wet chuckle. The interview went to commercial, which Clint muted.

“So she got her abilities from the cult?” Steve thought out loud, looking to the others.

“By the sounds of it yeah. I wonder how though.” Nat hummed.

“Maybe we’ll be able to find out when we get home. I call bullshit on Stark not pushing her. No 16 year old in their right mind would wanna do what we do.” Clint shrugged.

Steve hoped he was wrong.

——

Even after going through everything as far as the paperwork the Council wanted, it still took a few months before they could go back to the states. What was annoying was they couldn’t go back to the compound yet.

“Why is it we can’t go back yet?” Steve asked for what felt like the hundredth time. They were on a plane heading back. Bucky had sat away from everyone, looking a bit better but no where near how he use to, before the fall.

“Because the floor you’d be staying in is not yet ready. Plus Major Danvers and Colonel Rhodes want you to start your evaluation away from the compound.” Sarah said as she flipped through paperwork.

“I still think it’s stupid we have to be evaluated.” Clint grumbled.

“I’m sorry you feel that way, but this is how the Avengers do things now. If you’d like to voice your complaint to the two co-leaders be my guest. But fair warning.” She paused in her reading to look up at them, eyes sharp. “One little slip up and the terms of your release will be null and void and you will be arrested. Am I clear?” At the confirmations she got she looked back down to her paperwork. Steve went over to Bucky.

“Hey Buck. How was your paperwork? Was it as long as ours?” Bucky looked up at him, before shrugging.

“Kinda. Most of it was about me being pardoned of all crimes.” Steve stared, shocked.

“Wait really? That’s great!”

“Yeah. They have me labeled as a POW, so any and all crimes I committed under Hydra are gone.” He sighed a bit, almost in relief. “Now we gotta see what happens.”

“Well don’t worry. I’m sure Tony won’t do anything.” Bucky looked at his friend like he’d grown a second head.

“Why would I worry about Stark?”

“Cause…well cause of what happened…”

“Steve…” Bucky sighed as he shook his head.

“What?”


“Nothing punk…just…I’m gonna close my eyes. ‘M tired.” Steve patted his shoulder, before going back to his seat. He talked with Nat and Clint, before they finally landed. On the tarmac was three people. Steve recognized Danvers and Rhodey, but not the third, a woman who as soon as Scott sees her mutters a quiet ‘oh shit.’ Sarah lead them to the three, where she gave the paperwork to Danvers. Danvers nodded to her, before her sharp eyes go back to them.

“Welcome back to the states. I’ve been told by his Majesty you all know why you’re back.” At the few nods she continues. “We have a facility for you to stay in until we feel more comfortable with you being in the compound. Colonel Rhodes and myself will be having meetings and trainings with you, along with some of the Council members. That way you’re more familiar with how things are now done. Any questions?”

“Where’s Tony?” Steve instantly asks. Rhodey raises an eyebrow at him.

“Tony is not one of the leaders of the Avengers, therefore he does not need to be here.”

“Then who’s she?” Clint asked, jutting his chin at the woman.

“My name is Hope Van Dyne. I’m here for Scott Lang.”

“What? Why?” Sam asks.

“Because Mr. Lang—” Scott flinches “took something that was not his.”

“What?”

“The suit.” Scott looked down, ashamed. “We will be discussing his terms separately.”

“But Scotts one of us!” Steve protested.

“Yes…that’s what got him into this mess.” Hope says curtly. Scott nods, still not looking up.

“Alright, let’s head to the facility.” Danvers motions to the cars waiting for them. Its when they head out that Steve notices something.

Rhodey isn’t wearing his braces. And he’s not in the wheelchair.

——

“Alright, for now you will be staying here. You will not be allowed to leave, if you do it will cause your terms to be null and void and you will be detained. We expect you to be at the Accords building at 9am sharp, ready to go through not only paperwork but training.” Danvers said as they lead them to a facility that was not too far from the Council building. It felt like he was back in boot camp the way it was laid out.

“Why do we have to stay here?” Wanda whined. “And where’s Vision?”

“You have to stay here because you have yet to show you can listen in regards to rules. Until you prove you can you will not be allowed back into the compound. And Vision isn’t here right now.”

“Where is he?” Rhodey shrugged.

“Not here. Now. Any other questions?”

“Will we see Tony anytime soon?” Steve asked. Rhodey just stared, unmoving.

“No. Tonys got his own things to do, and he’s not apart of the leadership. So why would he be here?”

“To apologize?” Clint said. At the stares he got from the two leaders he grumbled. “For locking us up?”

“That was your own fault Mr. Barton.” Danvers said. “You followed Captain Rogers to break several laws, and cause an inexcusable amount of damage. Tony Stark has no reason to apologize to you.” She sighed. “Now, if there are no further questions, we will see you all tomorrow.”

——

The ‘paperwork’ that Danvers had mentioned was nothing more than tests to make sure they were ‘mentally fit’ to be apart of the team. It took forever for everyone to get through it, especially Wanda. Luckily if they failed they were able to go over what was the proper way, mainly because they were in fact needed. If it wasn’t for Thanos coming Steve was pretty sure she would’ve been deported back to Sokovia.

As is she was on thin ice because she tried to get into Danvers mind only to be pushed out and left with a migraine. Somehow Danvers knew, but warned her that if she did it again she’d be gone. She didn’t look hurt in regards to the magic, only touching a bracelet she had on her as she spoke. Steve noticed both her and Rhodey had bracelets, and when he asked as a way to make conversation Danvers smiled the first real smile as she looked to it.

“We got these when we went to the zoo with Tony and the kids.”

“You guys have matching ones then?” Sam asked. He and Scott had been standoffish with the others, but careful in talking to the two leaders.

“Yeah, each got their own animal.” She showed hers more to him. Hers looked like a tiger, while Rhodey’s was a platypus.

“That’s cool. So the kids got their own too?”

“Yeah. They’re the ones who started the little trend.” Steve perked up on hearing about Tony’s children.

“How have they been?” He asked, causing Danvers to look at him. “The kids I mean…”

“They’re good.” Is all she said before turning their attention to the next set of tests.

——

In June, almost a month since they got back to the States, they were finally cleared for the now physical tests. Steve had hoped that meant they could come back but it sadly did not mean that at all. Instead they were put through what really was basic training all over again. Wanda complained the whole time, hell even Scott was out of breath after a day of going through courses. By then they started hearing more about Tony and the others, although only in passing. Mia’s birthday had come, and on social media they saw she had a zoo birthday, all kinds of pictures and video out there.

July came, and with it came seeing Thor and Bruce for the first time since they came back. Steve and Nat were at the Council building to talk about being fully integrated back, and when they can expect to go back to the compound. Nat spotted them first.

“Bruce!” She called, causing the scientist to flinch. He looked back to them, face shuttering to a neutral expression.

“Romanoff. Rogers.” Steve was taken back by his cold tone. What threw him off more was Thor’s hand on Bruce’s lower back.

“I’ve missed you…” Nat said, almost unsure. “How have you been?”

“Good.” He said in a clipped tone. Nat’s eyes darted from Bruce, to Thor’s hand, to Thor.

“Hey Thor.” Thor just downright glared at her, before giving a nod. That upset Nat more. “What, not going to greet us?”

“Should I?” The thunder god said calmly.

“What?”

“Should I greet you? From what I have seen you have no reason to ask for a greeting from me.”

“What?” Steve repeated Nat’s statement.

“What do you want?” Bruce asked, sighing. “We’re on a bit of a tight schedule.”

“Oh…wanted to say hello to some old friends.” Nat narrowed her eyes.

“Well you’ve said your hellos. Now if you’re excuse us—”

“Bruce can we…can we talk?” Nat asked, looking hurt.

“About?”

“About…us?” Bruce stared at her before shaking her head.

“There’s no us. Not anymore.”

“So what, you’re gone a few years and you jump right into Thor’s arms?!”

“Natasha.” Bruce’s tone changed, causing her to step back. “There was no us. You made that clear before I left. So this whole acting like some angry ex? Stop. I’m not in the mood for playing your stupid mind games.”

“Bruce my love…” Thor spoke softly into his ear, in such a loving tone Steve couldn’t believe it came from him. “We need to go if we’re to be home in time.” Bruce nodded, sighing.

“Goodbye Romanoff. Rogers.” And they left, leaving Steve and Nat to watch as they walked away.

——

It was mid July when they got the all clear to go back to the Compound. Steve was speaking with the councilman who was going over everything.

“Now your floor is almost done, as soon as it is you’ll be taken back to the compound.” Councilman Brooks said, looking over the paperwork.

“Wait our own floor?” Steve asked.

“Well yes. There’s multiple floors with separate wings, all with their own set of rooms.”

“And Tony is on a separate floor?”

“Yes Mr. Stark and his family are on the floor above yours.”

“And what if we wanted to go up to that floor?” Brooks paused, looking to him.

“Well if you have permission you can. But if not you’ll not be allowed.” Steve felt himself panic a bit. If he didn’t have permission he wouldn’t be able to talk to Tony…to clear the air.

“If I may…I’m worried about our teammates.” He said, clearing his throat.

“Oh? How so?”

“Well with the split that has happened, I’m worried that some members may hide away, which may cause problems out in the field.”

“I’m listening…” Brooks said after a pause.

“I’m worried Tony won’t want to try and work properly with us. That he’ll hide away on his floor. We need to work together in order to fight against this new threat.”

“And what do you propose?” Steve swallowed, before continuing.

“That we are able to stay on the same floor as Tony and the others. So we can work past our differences, and create a unified front to go against Thanos.” Brooks was quiet, thinking.

“I don’t know if I can get you to stay permanently. But I may be able to work on something for maybe a few months. Think you can work things out with Stark by then?” Steve smiled brightly.

“Of course sir. Anything we can get would be great.” Brooks returned the smile, shaking his hand as he stood.

“I’ll be honest Captain…I’m happy you’re back.” Steve knew he’d found the right person to talk to.

——

It was another few weeks before they were finally confirmed to go to the compound. Steve had three months. Three months to be able to get Tony to set aside everything and for them to work together. After that they’d be back down to the floor below them but Steve was confident he could talk them into staying up there, so that they’d be one big family like they were again. When Rhodey and Danvers heard about what Steve did they got extremely cold with the former leader. But Steve didn’t mind. He knew things would work out.

“Your wing is the west one. Do not under any circumstances go to anyone else’s wings unless you have permission. If you do you will be put to another floor immediately.” Rhodey said, glaring at Steve especially. The others were looking around, looking at the living room that had several pictures on the mantle below the tv, and a large fish tank on the side closest to the east wing.

“Where’s everyone else at?” He asked Rhodey.

“Thor and Bruce don’t live here, they’re in New Asgard, Vision is out traveling to see the world, and Loki is probably in New Asgard as well.” Hearing Loki’s name causes Clint to turn to him.

“What do you mean Loki?”

“Loki lives here.”

“Wait…what!?” Danvers sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose.

“Loki lives here Barton. Has been living here since the beginning. There won’t be a problem will there?” Before Clint could open his mouth Nat responded.

“No problem.” Steve went to the mantle to look at the pictures. There were so many of Tony and the kids, with Doctor Strange. There was a few from birthday parties, one from Christmas, and so many other times. Some with Danvers and Rhodey, a few with Loki and Thor, and one with Hulk in the snow.

“Wow…” He said softly, picking up one with Tony and Doctor Strange curled up on the couch with Mia, Ana, Michael and Peter. They looked so happy. “Where’s Tony?”

“Vacation.” Steve turned quickly, staring at Rhodey. The man looked smug.

“Vacation?”

“Correct. He and Stephen had alerted the council months ago that they planned on being away for vacation.”

“For how long?!”

“Beginning of September.” Meaning the three months Steve got was really two. He’d have to talk to Brooks about this.

“Who’s fish tank?” Sam asked, leaning down to look at all the different colorful saltwater fishes.

“Mia’s. Meaning do not mess with it please.” Danvers said, sighing. “You all can pick your rooms.” She and Rhodey left to go to the north wing.

——

It was a few days before they saw Loki. One evening after their training they came back upstairs and saw Loki next to the fish tank.

“You!” Clint hissed.

“Me?” Loki turned to look at them, eyebrow raised. “Ah, the little hawk. And the rest of the traitors.” Steve bristled at the tone he used.

“Traitors?!”

“Yes that is what I said is it not?”

“We’re not the ones who tried to invade the world!” Wanda snapped at him. Loki looked her up and down with an unimpressed expression on his face.

“Neither did I. Or did you all not hear the news?” Clint growled, having to have Nat pull him back before he tried to attack Loki. “And really you have no room to talk witch.”

“What do you know of me?!”

“I know a lot about you actually. I know you have no training in magic, making you dangerous. I know you like to seep into the minds of others. I know you’ve been having headaches since being here, because you keep trying to use said magic.” Wanda flinched.

“What did you do?!”

“It wasn’t just me. Stephen had a large hand on it. Besides it was in your contract. You cannot use your magic anywhere but the training grounds. Didn’t want another incident like in Novi Grad…or Johannesburg.” Loki smiled sharply at her. “Now. Is there something you lot need?”

“What are you doing over there?” Nat asked, noticing he never went away from the tank.

“I’m feeding the fish.” At the confused looks, he rolled his eyes. “I promised Mia I would keep an eye on her fish…seeing as I’m the best Uncle.”

“You take that back!” They jumped at hearing Rhodey, who had come out of the north wing. “I was the first Uncle meaning I’m the best!”

“If you say so. But who’s the one the children trusted to feed their pets?”

“Only because they knew I’d be so busy.” Rhodey crossed his arms.

“Of course James.” Loki teased, continuing to feed the saltwater fish.

“See if I help you get up to speed on tv shows.” He grumbled, going to the kitchen. It all seemed weirdly domestic. Steve watched as Loki finished with the fish before heading to the east wing.

“What are you doing going there?” Loki turned and looked at Steve weirdly.

“I live over here.”

“But that’s Tony’s wing isn’t it?”

“Yes…I also live in this wing. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a tortoise to feed.” And with that he walked away, leaving Steve feeling dumbstruck.

——

In a few weeks Tony should be back. Steve was anxious in wanting to talk to him, especially since their time was short. When he tried to find Councilman Brooks he found the man had been transferred away from the Accords Council. Councilman Ross was now in charge of their needs, and he refused to hear Steve on allowing more time.

“Frankly you shouldn’t have had the three months to begin with. If Mr. Stark doesn’t want you there he shouldn’t have to put up with you.” Ross said in a clipped tone.

“But for the team—”

“Yes yes I heard all about it from Brooks.” Ross sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. “Look. You’ll only get the 2 months left. That’s it. That’s if you don’t mess up and upset any of the Starks! Especially the oldest daughter.”

“What about Ana?” Ross looked to him weirdly.

“Haven’t you heard? She’s extremely protective of her family. Like, insanely so. If it wasn’t for Mr. Stark she’d probably be a threat. Hell the last guy—” He cut himself off. “It doesn’t matter. What does is you’re only getting this time. Afterwards you’re going down a floor. End of discussion.” Steve couldn’t help but wonder what he meant about the ‘last guy’. He knew he could’t ask Rhodey or Danvers, and that if Nat tried and got caught digging they’d be in trouble. He’d let it drop for now.

When he got back to the compound he found Rhodey and Danvers looking at something together on their tablet.

“I told you! I told you he’d do it today.” Danvers said gleefully.

“Yeah but I told you where he’d do it.” Rhodey said smugly.

“I think you both forget that I win in this situation. I help procure the materials for the ring.” Loki said, walking past Steve as he sat down in one of the chairs. It was the one they always saw Loki in. “I even took Stephen to Nidavellir to have it forged properly.”

“What’s going on?” Steve asked, confused. Danvers looked to him, before handing over her tablet. There on a news article was pictures of Tony and Strange at Disneyworld. The headline read ‘Tony Stark, Engaged!’ With Strange on one knee. Proposing. In the background he saw the kids, with Ana holding Mia and Michael and the Parker boy cheering. Another picture of Strange holding Tony tightly, with a caption at the bottom saying ‘he said yes!’. There was another picture of the whole family, all hugging close with Tony red faced and misty eyed. “Oh…” He handed the tablet back to Danvers. “Wow…I didn’t…know it was that serious.” Rhodey choked a bit, looking at Steve weirdly. He was getting a lot of weird looks lately.

“Seriously? They’ve been together since he first got the kids.”

“Isn’t that still a little soon? For them I mean?” Danvers looked over, tilting her head a bit.

“For some people it isn’t.”

“What about the kids?”

“What about the children?” Loki asked, and Steve hated he was there. “If you’re concerned about their opinion in Stephen you shouldn’t be. They call him ‘Pops’ or for Mia ‘Papa’.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. Those kids have been Stephen’s as much as they are Tony’s. So this is only natural.” Rhodey shrugged. Steve nodded, before heading to his room. It was…a lot to process.

——

The first Monday of September was like any normal Monday since being back. Steve, Sam and Bucky went on their normal morning run. It was nice to have that stability, especially with Bucky. He was still having a hard time with everything. More than once Steve found him in the living room watching something, with tea on the coffee table. There was sometimes more than one cup, but he never questioned it, thinking one of the others left their cup out there. When they got back from the run, Steve noticed the kitchen light was on, and the coffee maker was going. He figured it was Rhodey or Danvers, since he’d never see Loki drink it. When he came back after a shower, he was completely wrong.

He could smell what was cooking first. Something with cinnamon, although he couldn’t place it. He heard a soft voice singing along with music, and he carefully stepped to the doorway to watch.

”Trust in my self-righteous suicide. I cry, when angels deserve to die.” At the stove making breakfast was Ana. She was wearing what looked like lounge pants and a black tank top that had her back mostly bare. Steve noticed that she had four large scars on her back, in the shape of eyes. It looked like someone carved them into her skin. Before he could move to get closer, her head snapped up and for a brief second he could have sworn her eyes were black. But as soon as he flinched at her quick movement all he saw was blue grey eyes. He must be more tired than he thought. He cleared his throat as the music cut.

“Hi.” She just stared, which made him uneasy. “You must be Ana. I’m Steve. Steve Rogers.” He went to shake her hand but noticed she didn’t move to take his. He decided to just go sit at one of the kitchen tables instead. “When did you guys get back?”

“Last night.” She said, watching his movements before going back to cooking.

“Smells good. Whatcha making?”

“Breakfast.” Steve took a breath, trying not to scold her for being so rude. It wasn’t his place but he’d have to talk to Tony about her manners.

“Steve did you decide to cook sudd—oh.” Sam had come out, blinking when he realized it wasn’t Steve at the stove. “Uh. Hi.” Ana looked to him, giving him a once over before going back to the stove. She had started to plate what looked like French toast. “You’re Ana right?” She just hummed noncommittally. “I’m Sam. I heard you guys were on vacation, was it fun?” Ana paused, looking to him again.

“Yeah. Yeah it was.”

“Good. Glad to hear it.” Sam went and grabbed some juice from the fridge. “Do you need help?”

“I’ve got it. But leave the juice out please.” Steve figured Sam would be better at this than him.

“Does Tony make you cook?” He asked, and just like that Ana regarded him coldly.

“No. I like to cook.”

“Oh.” He blinked, feeling dumb. Sam gave him a look, before taking a sip of his juice.

“Hopefully you cook better than I do. I'm horrible.” Sam joked.

“So far no complaints.” She began to cut up one of the plates of French toast, before setting it where a booster chair was. “I started cooking because it was something to focus on. Plus I like taking care of my family.”

“I hear that a lot, especially with those who have PTSD.” Sam said, which caused Ana to look at him. After a moment, she nodded. “It’s a good thing. Glad you found something that helps.” Before Steve could ask anything, they heard someone shuffle into the kitchen. Ana’s entire posture relaxed as she smiled at the little girl who came in, rubbing at her eyes.

“Ana…” She mumbled, reaching out for her sister.

“Morning Mia…you hungry?” The little girl was still trying to wake up, but nodded into Ana’s leg as she hugged her. “I made French Toast.” she blinked up at the older girl, before smiling.

“Really?”

“Yeah. Figured I’d make something special since its your guys first day.” Ana picked her up and put her in the chair, where her cut up toast was.

“First day huh? Must be exciting.” At Sam’s voice Mia looked up and seemed to notice them. The way she stared at them made Steve feel uneasy. “I’m Sam, and that big lug is Steve.”

“Cannon fodder.” Mia whispered, which caused Ana to choke. “I’m Mia.” She said louder.

“Hi Mia. How old are you?” Sam said smiling. She held up a hand.

“Five!”

“Oh wow that means you’re staring Kindergarten huh?” She nodded as she began to eat her food. Ana got the juice Sam left out into a kids cup and put it on the table. “Bet you’re excited.”

“Who’s excited?” Nat said as she came in, only to pause at seeing Ana and Mia. Mia tensed at seeing her, while Ana stared like she had with Steve. “Oh…hello.” Mia took a bite out of her French toast instead of greeting, while Ana fixed up another plate. “So you all are back from your vacation?” Mia didn’t answer, while Ana just hummed. It was tense for a few minutes before someone else came in.

“Did you seriously make us French Toast for breakfast? For our first day?” One of the boys came in.

“Of course I did Michael. Especially since it’s your first day going to school instead of homeschooled.”

“You’re spoiling us.” The boy grumbled but hugged his sister either way before taking a plate. Steve remembered he had a back injury but…he was walking just fine.

“Who’s spoiling us?” Another boy…Peter…Steve had to remind himself, came in yawning.

“Ana. She made French Toast.”

“Dude don’t complain I love her French Toast!” Peter took a plate and sat down. As they sat the kids started talking, seeming to ignore the others there. As they did Ana started working on what looked to be lunches for the three, before looking at her watch.

“If you guys don’t hurry you’re not gonna be ready by the time Happy comes.” The kids quickly finished before giving Ana their plates, all dashing out of the kitchen. As soon as they left Clint came in.

“Well if it isn’t one of the Stark brats. You guys finally back from your little ‘vacation’?” Ana paused, setting the dishes down.

“Friday?” She asked.

“…You have four minutes.” The A.I said, causing Ana to nod. If Steve didn’t have the serum he was sure he wouldn’t have been able to catch the exact moment her back shifted. He watched in horror as the skin on the scars pulled and tore before those weird ribbons she used during the earthquake ripped out, all attacking those in the kitchen. Even as Steve tried to move it was quick, wrapping around his neck and tightening to the point he was barely able to breathe. Even with his strength he couldn't seem to break the hold. Clint and Nat were the same, while Sam had one around pointed at him, almost threatening to choke him. He had his hands up in surrender, staring wide eyed at the insanity that was happening in the kitchen.

“Let’s see….” Ana turned, the ribbons on her back moving so they never really shifted where they were around the teams neck. “Ah yes.” She threw her hand to the side and Steve watched as another ribbon tore itself from her palm and darted around the doorway. He heard a yell, before Wanda was dragged in by her neck. She tried to use her magic, but they watched as it flickered but did nothing. “Yeah that’s not going to work. Neat little trick I learned I had early on. Can block most magic users if I have them like this.”

“Uh…care to tell us what this is about?” Sam said, still very stiff in case that ribbon decided to choke him out.

“Gladly.” Ana smiled, but it wasn’t a normal smile. It reminded Steve of that cat from Alice in Wonderland. A Cheshire smile. “I don’t know why but the government seems to think you all will be useful. I dunno how useful an archer, a shitty spy, and a guy who can throw a metal frisbee is. Let alone a pilot and a bratty woman who can’t control her powers. But I digress.” She shifted a bit, and the wraps around their necks loosened only a bit to make it easier to breathe. “Somehow, you guys managed to worm your way into staying on this floor. I don’t know how nor do I care. What I do care about is that means you’ll be around my family. So.” She tilted her head to the side. “This is a warning. If you try to hurt my family. If you try to corner my father for anything. If you make my siblings cry…” The ribbon around their throats tightened, and Steve felt a familiar burn in his lungs he hadn’t felt since before the serum as he tried to breathe. “I. Will. Break. You.” A shuffle near the doorway caught her attention and her eyes darted to it. “Do you hear me, Soldat?” Steve struggled more at hearing her speak Russian, because he knew who she was talking to. Bucky came into view, his hair still damp from the shower he took. He took in everyone being held, before looking to her.

”Da.” Ana then spoke again in Russian, which made Steve panic. The only word he knew from her was Siberia. Bucky sucked in a breath before speaking softly. ”Nyet.” She smiled at him, and he carefully came into the kitchen. She made no move to strike, still holding everyone else.

Tesoro what did I say about maiming?” Steve heard a familiar voice. In walked Tony, looking like he himself was fresh out of the shower, dressed for the day.

“Pretty sure the rule was ‘no blood on the carpet’. As you can see we’re in the kitchen.” Tony sighed.

“Ana…” After a pause, the ribbons released and shuttered as they dissolved away. “Thank you. Now.” He reached over and pulled the girl into a hug, kissing her head twice. “Where’s my coffee?” He said in a teasing tone. Steve and the others were tense, unsure if they should move or not.

“Here.” She motioned to a cup Steve hadn’t seen there before. He sipped it, humming at the taste. “Pops said he’d be home a little later tonight. Uncle Wong’s pissy cause he’s been gone this last month.” Tony grumbled. “He also may be hiding from Aunt Pepper.”

“What? Why?!”

“He didn’t give her fair warning before this.” She reached over and touched his left hand. Steve saw that on Tony’s ring finger was a silver band with what looked like little blue stones. He couldn’t tell if the light was hitting them the right way or not but they looked like they were glowing. Almost like little arc reactors.

“Ah yeah she wasn’t happy. Which is why I’m going to a meeting after dropping Mia and Michael at school. Speaking of, I better get them going. Happy should be here soon.” Tony didn’t even spare them a glance as he left.

Notes:

I think that went well. Really. And yeah it wasn't gonna be a pardon. More of a "Come back so we can have you help and we won't throw you in jail" kinda situation. Also Bucky's was always going to be a pardon due to his situation.

Side note, what Ana asked Bucky was: "Are we going to have a problem like Siberia?" which of course he answered no. Next chapter will finally be Tony's POV.

See you all Friday!

Chapter 3: What’s it gonna take to make it crystal clear to you we are through?

Notes:

Aaaaahhh you guys! We're only two chapters in and already over 100 kudos! And 30 bookmarks! You guys are amazing and I love you all!

Title is from Lent by Autoheart.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tony’s glad his coffee isn’t filled to the brim because it’d probably be spilling over with how much he’s shaking. He knew they’d be back, but when he got word Rogers had managed to push to be on the same floor he had one of the worst panic attacks he’s had in a long time. Stephen and Ana had to coax him out of it, and they spent the evening cuddling before their vacation. The vacation was what he needed. Hell what they all needed. Taking them out to the beach, to Universal Studios, to Disney was amazing. The fact Stephen hadn’t been either was a treat.

“I never had the time.” Is what he told Tony, which meant they had to go all out. And then Stephen proposed. With a ring from space. A ring from space! It explained why Loki and Stephen were getting along so much better, let alone the fact Stephen went with Loki on one of their trips to Nidavellir. The stones in his ring actually glowed, and the fact they were the same shade of blue as the arc reactor just made it even more special. He was pulled out of his thoughts by Michael coming out, looking nervous.

“Hey Bambino…you ok?” He knew Michael was a little scared at going to an actual school, and the Midtown middle school meant he’d go right to Peter’s high school after this year.

“Just nervous. Worried about my first day.” Tony smiled, before pulling the boy over for a hug.

“It’ll be fine. And if you need me you can call me on my cell, have Friday call if need be. Ok?” Michael nodded, clinging to Tony.

“Are we doing hugs?” Mia asked as she came in. Peter had helped her with her clothes, although she was getting better on her own. She had made sure her first day outfit had plenty of sharks.

“Of course princess we’re doing hugs! First day hugs!” Michael pulled away so Mia could be hoisted up and hugged tightly. “You excited?”

“Yeah! But a little scared.”

“Why sweetheart?”

“Cause I might get…over…over…” She was trying to use the bigger words Ana and Tony used.

“Overwhelmed?” She nodded. “Well you shouldn’t have an issue. Keep your necklace on, and your bracelet yeah?” She nodded again. He heard shuffling from behind him and looked to see Barnes carefully going to their wing. Mia watched, and Tony knew she was getting a sense of him. Barton, Maximoff and Romanoff came out, glaring at Tony. Mia went from curious to scared real quick, hiding in his arms. Michael glared right back, which made Tony feel a little proud. He was always hiding away from confrontation, so the fact he could stare them down made him feel a little less worried about today. Barton and Maximoff went to the wing but Romanoff stayed on the other side of the room.

“Aww am I missing the hugs?” Peter came out with his backpack. “Michael you got your bag?”

“Oh shoot.” Michael rushed to get it. “Let me grab mine and and Mia’s.”

“Can I bring Bruce?” Mia asked as Tony put her down.

“No sweetheart. Maybe your first day of show and tell.” Mia pouted, but nodded.

“She wants to bring Bruce?” Romanoff asked.

“She means her shark.” Peter said, in a calm tone. Tony could tell he was trying not to be rude.

“Shark?”

“Ever see Jaws?” Romanoff looked confused, looking to Mia. “It’s her favorite.”

“That’s a weird movie for a kid to be her favorite.” Mia frowned, looking down.

“Yeah well we didn’t have much to choose from when the only source of entertainment is anything in the dumpster.” Michael said coming back in from their wing. He had their bags. “It was either random VHS movies or old waterlogged reader’s digests. You can tell which we picked.” Romanoff swallowed, her lips pressed in a thin line. Before she could say anything else Ana came out of the kitchen, holding all their lunches.

“Alright, Mia…” Ana handed her a shark themed lunch box. “Michael.” Michael’s was a TMNT one. “Peter…” Peter’s was a red and black one that Tony teased looked like a Spider-Man lunch box. “And Dads. All have spells to keep them warm.” She handed him a slim lunchbox that he easily put in his briefcase.

“So she can use magic but Wanda can’t?” Romanoff scoffed.

“Last I checked me keeping food warm doesn’t endanger anyone.” Ana said, looking to the red head.

“And the…wraps?” She motioned to her back.

“That’s not magic.” Ana smirked. “That is a side effect of several horrific rituals.” Rogers and Wilson came out as she spoke, Wilson looking nervous while Rogers looked upset.

“A…side effect?” Wilson asks, still looking nervous that she might strike out again.

“Yep.” Ana popped her ‘p’ before looking at the time. “You guys might wanna head to the garage. Happy should be here soon.”

“Crap, let’s get going.” Tony gave Ana two kisses on the head, one for her and one for Riven. Peter and Michael did the same, and Mia gave two loud smacks of kisses before giggling as she left. Tony was anxious about having Ana stay behind. As soon as he got to the garage he pulled out his phone and had Friday pull up the feed. He saw that Ana didn’t bother to speak to the others as she went to get ready for her lessons with Loki, which made him relax.

“Dad?”

“Hm?” He looked to Michael.

“Can we kick them out already?”

“I wish. But that stupid councilman messed everything up.” He sighed. “Just gotta deal with it for a few months. You three will tell me or Ana if they say anything that upsets you ok? Friday will be monitoring them as well but…if she somehow doesn’t pick something up or it’s out of view of her cameras I want to know. Ok?” They nodded. “Good.”

——

His meeting with Pepper was less painful than he expected. While she was happy for him, a little heads up would've been nice.

“Seriously, how did he find the jewels?” Pepper was now examining his hand with the ring on it.

“Apparently while trying to set up negotiations with Nidavellir and Alfheim Thor mentioned this type of stone that when imbued with magic will glow. Loki secured the stone with Alfheim and then had some of the blacksmiths in Nidavellir make it. Steph went with them once to give the designs. He told me he had this idea in his head since New Years.” Pepper melted at that, smiling at her long time friend.

"What magic is in it?"

"Several protection spells." Pepper cooed at that, before pulling Tony into a hug.

“I’m so happy for you. You know the press is going to want an interview.” Tony groaned at that.

“I’ll have to see what we can do in regards to that. I know some have been wanting to see Michael and Mia still…I just don’t want them in the spotlight like I was.”

“Speaking of Michael and Mia, were they excited about today?”

“Yes and no. Luckily Mia’s friends from daycare are in her kindergarten class, so she’s not alone, but Michael’s starting brand new. I think he’s worried someone’s gonna pick on him.”

“For being trans?” At the nod, Pepper frowned. “Does the school know?”

“Yeah, and I made it clear any bullying would not be tolerated. So only thing I can do is have my fingers crossed.” The rest of the meeting went by smoothly, which made his nerves calm. It wasn’t until he was requested at the Council building that his anxiety built up again. He had a feeling about what it was about.

——

As soon as he came into the conference room and saw Councilman Ross with Rogers and Romanoff he sighed.

“Mr. Stark thank you for coming.”

“Of course. Luckily I just finished up at S.I and I have a bit of time before I have to pick up the kids.”

“Ah…first day right?” Ross smiled.

“Yeah. Can’t wait to hear how it went.” Tony chuckled. “So. Let’s get this started hm?" Ross cleared his throat.

“Right, this is about an altercation that happened this morning.”

“I know.”

“So you know your daughter Ana choked Captain Rogers and his team?”

“I walked in on it yes.”

“And you put a stop to it?”

“Yes.”

“You took your time doing so.” Romanoff said, crossing her arms. “Almost like you enjoyed seeing us like that.”

“I mean I was kind of impressed. She’s gotten better in her control.”

“That’s her in control?” Rogers said, looking concerned.

“She didn’t snap anyone’s necks so…yeah that’s pretty good.” Ross makes a noise that sounds like a cough covering a snort.

“Well Captain Rogers and Miss Romanoff are concerned, stating that you didn’t seem to phased with the violence your daughter has shown.” Tony tilts his head to the side, regarding both of them as he listens to Ross. “Now I know that teens can be a little hard to control—”

“Hard to control?! She choked us! She attacked us and then spoke Russian to Bucky—”

“Last I checked speaking another language wasn’t a sign of uncontrollable behavior.” Tony interrupts.

“How does she know Russian?” Romanoff questions, leaning more to a demand than anything.

“She learned it. She’s actually doing pretty well in learning a few languages. Already really fluent in Italian.” At the blinks he got he shrugs. “She has an eidetic memory.”

“I forget she has that.” Ross mutters.

“She has what?”

“Photographic memory. Pretty accurate one too. Once she learns something it sticks.” Their quiet for a moment before Rogers asks.

“Was that from the cult?” Tony tenses, and even Ross looks annoyed.

“No. Now what’s the real reason for this meeting?”

“We want you to reign her in! She can’t just…choke people out she doesn’t like! She can’t just make threats!”

“So you asked for this meeting to…tell me how to handle my kid…”

“Well yes! She needs to be disciplined!” Rogers said annoyed.

“…I’ll talk to her about it.” Ross interrupted whatever Rogers was going to respond with saying

“That’s all we can ask Mr. Stark.”

“So what, that’s it? Just have him talk to her? There needs to be repercussions for her actions.” Romanoff spoke, annoyed.

“Miss Romanoff I cannot tell Mr. Stark on how to discipline his child.”

“Well what about her using magic but Wanda can’t?” Rogers said, huffing. Ross turned to Tony, concerned.

“What magic did she use?”

“Her…ribbon thingys…”

“That’s not magic. We’ve already confirmed that with Doctor Strange and Prince Loki.” Romanoff rolled her eyes at Ross.

“She also used magic to keep Tony and his kids lunches warm.” Ross stared confused at Rogers.

“So you want to file a complaint because she…kept lunches warm?”

“Well no, but Wanda can’t use her magic! It’s not fair and obvious favortism!”

“Ah. Well Miss Maximoff has used her magic to harm members of her team several different times.”

“She’s just a—”

“Do not say she’s just a kid.” Tony interrupts. “Ana’s a kid. Michael’s a kid. Wanda is a full grown woman.”

“Mr. Stark is correct. And as I was saying, she’s hurt her teammates before. Several members who live in the compound did not feel comfortable with Miss Maximoff having her full powers outside of the training grounds.”

“Well we don’t feel comfortable with Ana having hers!”

“You’re uncomfortable…because Miss Stark…used her magic to keep food warm.” Ross said slowly, trying to wrap his head around what he was hearing.

“Yes! No! I mean—” Rogers was getting flustered.

“What Steve’s trying to say…” Romanoff spoke up. “Is it seems unfair she gets to use her magic while Wanda’s restricted.”

“Again. Miss Maximoff has used her magic to harm her teammates.” Ross sighed, rubbing his face in annoyance. “Look I’m not sure what you want from this meeting. You brought Mr. Stark here to say you want him to, what, reprimand his daughter for being protective? I warned you Mr. Rogers that you did not want to cross her.”

“I didn’t think she’d try to choke us out.”

“And that is something that has brought to her father’s attention, meaning he will discuss it with her. Is there anything else?” At the quiet Ross sighed. “Thank you Mr. Stark for coming in.”

“Not at all Councilman. I’ll see you at the next meeting.” He shook Ross’s hand before starting to head out.

“Tony wait!” Rogers came out, trying to catch up.

“I’m already running behind on picking up the kids Rogers make it quick.” Tony didn’t slow down as he walked to the front of the building.

“Tony I wanted to talk! About the team.”

“That sounds like something for the leaders, not for me.”

“I’m talking about this rift between us, come on Tony—” Rogers grabbed his arm painfully, which caused him to yank it back, panic setting in.

“Do. Not. Touch. Me.” He seethed, glaring at the blonde who didn’t seem to understand he wanted nothing to do with him. “Do not ever. Touch me.”

“Tony please—”

“No Rogers. You need to get that through your thick skull.” Tony stalked out, quickly getting into the car that Happy had pulled up.

“You ok boss?” Happy looked worried as he pulled away.

“Yeah…” Picking up Michael and Mia took his mind off what happened at the Council building, as he listened to their first days. Peter was going to go on patrol, so they'd see him a little later in the afternoon. By the time they left the elevator and got into the living room the altercation at the Council was completely forgotten. Especially since sitting on the couch was the one man who soothed any anxiety he had.

“Stephen…” Stephen looked up from his book, giving Tony a soft smile before standing and going over for a hug.

“Hello love.” He murmured as he kissed Tony’s temple. “How was Pep? She mad still?”

“Oh yeah. She wants us to do an interview.” Stephen groaned, hiding his face in Tony’s neck.

“Papa Papa!” Mia bounced on her heels as she made grabby hands to be picked up. Stephen chuckled and picked her up, holding her close.

“How was kindergarten? And 8th grade?” He asked Mia and Michael as Michael came over for a hug.

“Good. I made a friend!” Tony let them tell Stephen everything while he got changed. When he came back out Ana was with Stephen hearing Mia and Michael talk about their day and their teachers. Ana zeroed in on his arm, and when he looked it was a little red. It would’ve been a bruise if it wasn’t for Extremis.

“What’s that?” She asked calmly.

“Would you believe me if I said I don’t know?” Stephen’s eyes narrowed, seeing the mark as well.

“No.”

“Well damn.”

“Language!” Mia chirped from the couch. Tony sighed, going to pull out some change.

“Who did it?”

“Hm?”

“Who. Did. It?” Ana said, but Tony knew it was Riven. They had a spell that made Riven look and sound like Ana, but Tony knew his son well enough to know it was him who was speaking. He was still trying to figure out which one was in control this morning.

“If I tell you will you not kill him?” Riven’s eyes narrowed, a growl coming out. Yeah that was definitely Riven.

“Why do I hear my nephew being angry?” Loki asked as he walked in from the elevator.

“Rogers.”

“Ah. What’d he do?” Loki looked to Tony, before seeing the marks. “Anthony…” Again with the warning tone.

“Guys we talked about this, no killing no maiming no blood.”

“On the carpet.” Riven hummed. Unfortunately they heard the elevator again, and Romanoff and Rogers came in. Tony barely had time to yell before Riven struck, ribbon grabbing Rogers and pulling him over by his arm and and twisting him so that said arm was out to the side and he was on his knees. Romanoff went to strike before was knocked away by another ribbon. “I don’t think I made myself clear this morning. You. Do. Not.” He twisted Rogers arm causing the man to yell. “Touch…my family.”

“Stark call off your kid!” Romanoff yelled, causing others to come out from the west wing.

“He hurt my father.” Riven hissed at her, and Tony could see a flicker of black. Stephen sucked in a sharp breath, noticing it too.

“It was an accident! I wasn’t trying to I swear!” Rogers exclaimed, trying to pull away. Riven leaned in close, making sure they were turned away from the rest of his team.

“Like you weren’t trying to crush my dad’s chest in with your shield?” He whispered, watching as the super solider tensed up. Tony noticed Barnes tensed as well, along with Stephen and Loki since they were closer. No one else noticed what was said. “Yeah I know all about that…watched the feed from the suit and the bunker. Watched as he waited hours for help to come. While you left. Abandoned him.” Tony watched as Rogers Adams apple bobbed, the man stock still. “Final warning. Leave him be.” And as quick as he had Rogers pinned did he pull away and unravel the man, ribbons disappearing. Rogers looked to Tony, seeing the mark.

“I..I’m sorry I grabbed you so rough.”

“Steve you don’t have to—” Barton started to say but Barnes of all people interrupted him.

“He grabbed Stark hard enough to mark. He needs to apologize.” Tony looked to Stephen and Loki, confused. He knew Barnes wasn’t really up for much with the others, only coming around at night unless it was trainings and meetings. He only knew that because Loki had told him on more then one occasion he and Barnes shared tea while watching documentaries.

“Buck’s right. I’m sorry Tony.” Tony blinked, staring at him.

“Ok.”

“Ok?” Rogers looked confused.

“Yeah Ok.”

“He doesn’t have to accept your apology or forgive you.” Riven said, crossing his arms. “Now. Will you behave?” Rogers nodded, standing and moving away from Riven. The elevator then opened and Peter came in, home earlier than expected.

“Hey guys man you would not believe the first day I had it was-" He noticed everyone was standing tense in the living room. "-what’d I miss?”

Notes:

Did we get a hint of a new pairing? Maybe we did. Also the reason Riven isn't in bold is because he sounds just like Ana. If that is too confusing for you guys let me know and I'll change it in future chapters.

 

See you all Monday!

Chapter 4: "We don't have to take this back against the wall, we don't have to take this, we can end it all"

Notes:

The love I get for this is amazing, you guys really blow my mind. Thank you for the comments, kudos and bookmarks. It really makes me happy.

TW: Clint and Wanda being assholes. Some bullying.

Title from Bully by Shinedown

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

After that little confrontation Rogers team treaded carefully when it came to Tony and the others. The only one the kids seemed to be indifferent with was Wilson, mainly because he was respectful to them. Lang had just come back from San Francisco since Hank wanted a piece of him for the trouble the man caused, so he missed the chaos that was the first week. When he came in with Hope, Mia instantly jumped down from the couch. Michael and Peter were playing on their switches while Ana was stretched out reading.

“Auntie Hope!” Hope set her bag down and picked up the girl, spinning her around.

“Bumble Bee!! Oh I missed you!”

“What no love for us?” Tony asked from the couch where he was cuddled up to Stephen.

“For Michael and Ana and Peter. You have enough love with your fiancé.” She sniffed, tickling Mia’s side causing the 5 year old to giggle.

“Keep that up and you won’t be invited to the wedding.”

“You wouldn’t dare!” Hope gasped.

“She’s right you wouldn’t dare.” Stephen said chuckling.

“Who’re you?” Mia noticed Land standing nearby. He looked nervous.

“Oh uh I’m Scott. I’m…a friend of Hope’s.” Hope rolled her eyes as she came into the room further.

“Scott…” Mia tilted her head. Tony noticed Ana had gotten up from where she was reading, watching him as well.

“Yeah…I’m uh…here to help.”

“Cannon fodder.” Tony bit his lip to stop from laughing, but Stephen snickered.

“What?” Lang looked confused.

“Nothin.” Mia looked to Hope. “Did you see my fish?”

“I did! Did you name them already?”

“Yeah!” Mia was set down and she took Hope’s hand to pull her to the tank.

“Uh…Mr. Stark…sir?” Tony looked to Lang, who looked really unsure of himself. “I wanted to apologize.” Ana looked back to her father, confused. “For getting involved and fighting against you during the whole…’Civil War’ that happened. I should’ve stopped and looked into things before jumping in. I mean I got asked by Captain America to come help!” He gave a weak chuckle. “But that’s no excuse. I don’t expect you to forgive me or anything I just wanted to let you know that…I’m really sorry.” There was silence as everyone had paused what they were doing to listen to him. He squirmed a bit with all eyes on him, scratching the back of his head.

“Thank you for your apology Mr. Lang.”

“O-Oh please…call me Scott.” Mia let go of Hope’s hand, going back over to Scott. Tony held his breath as he watched his youngest tilt her head again, before smiling.

“Do you want to see my fish?” Scott looked down at her, before his eyes shot up to Tony. After a curt nod he looked back down, nodding a bit.

“Sure.” Mia held out her hand which Scott carefully took to be lead to the tank. “You really like sea stuff huh?”

“My favorite is sharks.” Mia turned back to him. “Do you like Jaws?”

“The movie? Oh yeah it’s really good!”

“I’m surprised you didn’t lash out already.” Tony said to Ana in Italian. Ana shrugged.

”Aunt Hope may have given me a heads up about the apology. Apparently pulling him away from Rogers was good for him. Less hero worship and more critical thinking.” Ana watched as Mia told him all the different fish and their names, a lot being from Finding Nemo and of course, Jaws. ”Plus he’s Mia approved.”

“Hey Scott, finally back?” Wilson greeted him as he came back from the gym. Rogers and Barnes were behind him.

“Hey! Yeah I had to apologize to Hank… and I wanted to apologize to Maggie, Jim and Cassie…”

“Who’s Maggie, Jim and Cassie?” Rogers asked. Scott looked a little heartbroken.

“My ex, her husband and my daughter…” Rogers nodded, looking a little embarrassed.

“Well there’s plenty of rooms in the west wing.” Scott winced, before clearing his throat.

“Actually I’m gonna stay in the north wing where Hope is.”

“Oh…” Wilson actually looked sad about him going, while Rogers looked annoyed.

“Why can’t you be with us in the west wing?”

“Cause I don’t want to?” Before Rogers could say anymore. “I got the ok from the Colonel and the Major to be in the north wing. I’ll still be around for the meetings and trainings but…” He shrugged.

“As long as you’re still around here Tic Tac.” Wilson said, smiling. Rogers frowned, but looked to Ana who’s staring at him, face blank. He nodded along, before heading to their wing. Barnes watched as Mia watched Wilson, before she turned to him. Tony’s not sure what she’s thinking, but she just tilts her head, Barnes doing the same, before turning and leaving as well.

——

The following morning was Sunday, which meant Ana made pancakes. She usually made enough for Carol, Rhodey, Thor, Bruce and Loki. That morning she had coffee already brewing and tea kettle going. When Tony and Stephen entered the kitchen they noticed Wilson and Scott talking quietly, while Loki was already making his cup of tea.

“Morning Dad, morning Pops.” Ana smiled at them.

“Morning Tesoro. Sleep ok?” Ana nodded, already getting the first set of pancakes done.

“Good morning Anthony. Stephen.”

“Lokes.”

“Loki.” Stephen went to grab his own tea, while Tony took his normal cup that Ana always sat out for him, filled already. “Wong wanted me to ask if you’d be able to stop by the Kamar-Taj this week?”

“Oh? Something wrong?”

“Not wrong per se, just wanting to see if some of the spells you know could help with the wards we have in place. If so we were hoping to see those implemented at the different sanctums.” Loki paused, thinking for a moment.

“Shouldn’t be an issue. I’ll double check with Thor to make sure I’m not needed.”

“Where is Point Break and my Science Bro?” Tony asked.

“Haven’t come in yet.”

“Wait Thor and Bruce Banner are coming?” Scott interrupted. Loki looked over to him, and was surprised to find he wasn’t glaring or flinching away.

“It’s Sunday. Sunday is family breakfast.”

“Oh cool. Do you need help then Ana?” Wilson asked. Ana paused, looking over.

“No, but thank you.” Mia came in not too long afterwards, holding her Bruce plush.

“Morning little one.” Loki spoke softly, putting his tea down. Mia made grabby hands to him, which he instantly picked her up. Bruce fell, which caused her to whine.

“Bruce!” The shark plush didn’t hit the floor, instead floating up to her, which she grabbed and snuggled with.

“Did you name your shark after the shark from Jaws?” Scott asked. Mia nodded, smiling sleepily.

“Wait you’ve seen Jaws?” Wilson asked.

“Favorite movie.”

“Oh cool. I haven’t seen it in forever. You named your toy after the shark from that?” A nod. “That’s awesome.” Mia smiled as she snuggled up to Loki. Sadly the calm of the kitchen was ruined when Barton came in.

“What the fuck. Stark you let him hold your kid?!”

“Language.” Mia, Ana, Loki, Stephen and Tony said.

“Jesus Clint what’s wrong with you?” Wilson exclaimed.

“What’s wrong with me what’s wrong with you?!” Clint motioned to Loki who was still holding Mia. “Why is he holding your kid?!” He glared at Tony.

“Because I trust him?” Clint stared at him with his jaw slack. “Because the kids trust him? And love him? Because he’s their Uncle?” Tony just sipped his coffee afterwards.

“How?! How can you all trust him!? He tried to take over New York, he killed thousands and he brainwashed a bunch of people! Myself included!”

“And I was exonerated.” Loki said, eyes narrowing. “I was just as much a victim as you were.”

“That is such bullsh—” He stopped when one of Ana’s ribbons came out from her back, curled around his throat, almost caressing it. Scott jumped up, not seeing this up close before.

“While I appreciate your enthusiasm in the morning…can we not?” Ana never looked away from making pancakes. “You’re being loud, obnoxious and rude. You knew Uncle Loki—” One of Clint’s eyes twitched. “—was exonerated. You knew he now lives in the compound. You knew he lived in our wing. Why is him being a part of our family that strange?”

“Because I didn’t think you’d just welcome him with open arms!”

“He got the same treatment as you did. He and Uncle Thor did.”

“What treatment?”

“I choked both of them.”

“Why?” Wilson had pulled Scott back down, looking confused

“Because Loki threatened to hurt Pops. And Thor choked Dad before…”

“…Your kid’s a fucking psycho.” The ribbon tightened, but it wasn’t like before. It was a warning.

“I spent years watching those I love get hurt. So what if I’m a little protective…” Ana finally looked to Barton. “I’ve done worse.”

“Ana.” Tony warned, which caused the ribbon to dissolve. “No bloodshed in the kitchen before breakfast yeah?”

“Alright.” Barton sat next to Scott and Wilson, but both scooted away from him. Tony watched, amused. Michael came in after that, grumbling something before going to hug Stephen who was closest. Stephen wrapped his arm around him and held him close.

“Not a morning person?” Scott asked. Michael shook his head.

“Had a rough night.” He mumbled. Tony put his mug down and went to Michael’s side.

“What happened?”

“Nightmares…”

“You could’ve woken us up.” Stephen said softly. Michael shook his head.

“Thought I could handle it…” Ana watches, before grabbing something from the cabinet. Chocolate chips.

“Oh Bambino…” Stephen sat down and pulled Michael to sit close to him, so he could keep snuggling him. Loki sat Mia down and began to work on making hot chocolate, their usual remedy for bad nights. “Do you want to talk about it?” Michael wrapped his arms around Stephen again, thinking.

“It was Johnathan.” Tony felt the temperature drop as those a part of their family tensed. “It was…the night you and Pops got us…” Stephen began to run his fingers through Michael’s hair to soothe the teen.

“I think today we should eat in the living room.” Loki said as he continued to work side by side with Ana.

“”M sorry.” Michael said, blinking a bit. His eyes shined with unshed tears

“Don’t be sorry because of the nightmares Bambino. It’s ok. Wake us up though ok? Me, your Pops, your sister or Uncle Loki. We have no problem waking up and staying with you ok? So you don’t have to deal with it alone…”

“It’s stupid…I shouldn’t have these nightmares still…”

“It’s not stupid.” Tony pulled Michael up and held him close. “I still have nightmares…about Afghanistan.”

“I have nightmares about the accident.” Stephen admitted as well.

“Really?”

“Really. Now…why don’t you go get your brother, and you guys start a cuddle pile yeah? I’ll let Uncle Thor and Uncle Bruce know what’s up. Do you still want them here?” At the nod Tony smiled, cupping the 14 year olds cheek. “Alright. Now go drag Pete outta bed. Mia go help him.” Mia reached out to take Michael’s hand and they went to wake up Peter. Stephen got up to go get trays ready for the living room, and Tony sighed deeply, worried. Romanoff and Rogers came in, eyeing Loki and Ana but not saying anything.

“So…who’s Johnathan?” Scott asked. “Sorry if you don’t want to tell me I just…kid looked freaked out.” Tony looked to Ana, letting her take the reins on this.

“Johnathan was the cult leader for the cult we were born in. He tortured me and my siblings. The night Dad and Pops came to his and Mia’s rescue that…bastard…” She hissed that out quietly so Mia couldn’t hear. “Killed our mother in front of him. When he didn’t get what he wanted from me, he broke Michael. Physically.” Ana took a deep breath. “And so he still haunts my brothers dreams.”

“He’s gone isn’t he?” Wilson said softly.

“Yeah. Yeah he’s gone.” Ana started plating more pancakes.

“There was reports he died during the rescue.” Romanoff spoke up after listening.

“He did.” Rogers looked to Tony, eyes narrowed. “Don’t look at him like that.” Ana turned sharply to Rogers.

“But he died during the rescue. Wasn’t it Tony, or Strange?”

“Oh no.” Ana turned back to the stove. “It wasn’t them.”

“Drop it Rogers.” Tony saw he was about to ask. “It’s not for you to know.”

“No I think it’s fine if they know. Puts things in perspective.” Ana finished up the last of the pancakes, before turning to face them fully.

“Johnathan didn’t die by their hand. It wasn’t an accident. He was killed.” There was a moment of silence before Romanoff spoke up.

“You did it.”

“Yeah. Yeah I did. He went to attack Mia and Spider-Man, who was there to help. Would’ve killed them if it wasn’t for Dad’s blast. So I took his head off.” Scott and Wilson paled, while Barton’s jaw dropped. Even Romanoff’s eyes widened. “And I’d do it again if it was to protect my family.” Rogers just stared, shocked.

“Ana love…” Loki spoke up quietly. Ana blinked, looking down where her hands were slightly shaking.

“Even in death the asshole hurts us.” Ana chuckled sadly. “Let’s get this all out there. Friday let Uncle Rhodey and Aunt Carol what’s up?”

“Of course.” By the time they all left the kitchen, the kids had the blankets and pillows set up, with several trays ready for everyone. The elevator opened moments later with Thor and Bruce coming in.

“Morning everyone.” Thor instantly went over and picked Michael up for a bear hug. Michael laughed and clinged to Thor for a moment, before being set down. “Are you alright?” He asked the boy softly. Michael nodded, smiling a bit. “Good. How about after breakfast you show me how big Raph has gotten hm? I haven’t seen him lately.”

“I’d like that Uncle Thor.” Bruce and Thor took their seats and they ate breakfast, keeping everything light and fun. Tony could tell Michael was tired but was content with everyone around. Stephen and Ana took the dishes out to the kitchen, while Michael and Thor went to see his pet tortoise. Tony hadn’t noticed that Rogers was nearby.

“Tony…” Tony had to bite back a sigh, before looking over. “I was hoping we could talk.”

“Why?”

“To maybe sit down and finally put everything behind us.”

“You just heard my son talk about a nightmare, and my daughter mention the torture she and her siblings went through. And you want to talk?”

“So you don’t have to worry about what happened between us. And can focus on your kids!”

“…Rogers I don’t worry about what happened between us.” And the confused stare he continued. “There’s nothing to worry about. You all betrayed me, you all screwed me, and you all left. It’s not something for me to worry about.”

“I didn’t betray you—”

“So you didn’t use my resources for two years to find your old war buddy? You didn’t keep the fact said war buddy killed my—”

“It wasn’t him!” Tony noticed he was looking around to make sure none of his team was nearby.

“Oh my god.” Bruce spoke up. “You don’t want the others to know.” Rogers winced. “Jesus Christ Steve.”

“Wait you—”

“Yeah. Tony told me. Told all of us. Everyone knows.” Rogers looked to Peter and Mia, who were watching. “Even them.”

“Wanted to know what Dad’s nightmares were about.” Peter said, glaring a bit.

“I…Look I’m sorry I didn’t tell you but—”

“There shouldn’t be a but.” Peter interrupted.

“But it wasn’t him!” Rogers continued, glaring at Peter. Before Tony could tell him to fuck off, Barnes came out of their wing.

“Steve…Wanda needs help.”

“What? What’s wrong?”

“Her bathroom door’s stuck. She’s been in there for a bit.” Rogers blinked before going past Barnes, not even bothering with Tony anymore.

“Friday is something wrong with their rooms?”

“No boss. Nothing electrical.”

“Cause I did it.” Barnes said softly, almost as if he was afraid of being loud. Everyone stared. “Sorry…”

“You locked Maximoff in her bathroom…on purpose…”

“Figured it’d keep Steve busy so you can be left alone.” Tony looked confused to Bruce and Loki, who looked just as lost.

“Thank you James.” Loki said, giving the man a smile Tony wasn’t use to seeing. Barnes nodded, looking almost shy.

“There’s extra pancakes in there if you wish.” Ana spoke up from the kitchen doorway. “I just gave some to Scott and Sam.”

“He’s Sam now?” Tony asked.

“He just asked if Michael was ok, and if he wanted to talk to a councilor he knew some people. When I told him we had therapists he said that was the best thing, especially for something so traumatic. He offered an ear if we wanted someone else to speak with.” Tony nodded. Barnes looked to Ana, before giving a small nod.

After that any time Rogers would want to talk, Barnes needed him for something. Hell Scott and Sam (he really was Sam now) would also run interference. It was nice, until it was time for the memorial for the Queens bombing. Then shit hit the fan.

——

Tony was getting ready, while Ana got Mia ready. Stephen was speaking with Wong about something at the Sanctum before he met them at the memorial the city made for those lost during that horrible day. Afterwards they were going to go to visit May’s grave.

“Boss we have a situation in the living room.” Friday cut off Tony’s thoughts.

“What’s wrong?”

“Maximoff is confronting Peter.” Tony tensed, before heading out of the room. As he made his way to the living room he heard Maximoff before he saw her and Peter.

“I’m just saying. It must be hard to be near Stark, especially today.” The mock sympathy made Tony growl.

“…What are you talking about?” Peter spoke softly, as if he couldn’t believe what she said.

“Isn’t that why the bombing happened? Because you were Tony Stark’s intern? They went after you, and your aunt died.” Tony stopped right in the doorway, breath knocked out of him at her accusation. Peter’s back was to him, so he couldn’t see his face. Maximoff on the other hand tried to look sympathetic, which just made Tony angrier.

“What the fuck is wrong with you?” Peter asked, causing Maximoff’s look of sympathy to fall.

“Wha—”

“No seriously, what the fuck?! How could you seriously think that!”

“The news had said—”

“I don’t give a fuck about what the news said. It wasn’t dads fault. How could you even talk about that?!”

“I don’t like the tone you’re using.” Maximoff growled, glaring at Peter. Tony rushed forward, glaring at the woman. Peter continued.

“I don’t care! You come to me, acting like you sympathize with me when you just want to hurt me! You want to hurt my dad!”

“He’s not your dad!” Maximoff yelled, glaring at Tony.

“Fuck you!” Tony had to grab Peter’s shoulders to hold the boy back from lashing out at her.

“How dare you—” She raised her hand as if to attack Peter. Tony barely caught sight of Barnes, who came up from behind Maximoff and yanked her back, hard. “Let go of me!” Rogers came out from behind Barnes, most likely heard Maximoff yelling.

“Bucky let her go!”

“No.” Barnes glared down at her, growling. “She’s bullying Stark’s kid.”

“Wanda what—”

“I was just saying—” Barnes cut her off.

“No you weren’t. You were bullying him. On a traumatic day. Stevie…” Barnes looked to Rogers. “Are you going to allow her to bully a kid on his worst day?” Rogers looked between Peter and Maximoff before giving Maximoff a look.

“Wanda how could you?”

“I wasn’t—”

“Bullshit.” Barnes growled again. “I watched you.”

“You’re lying!”

“I’m afraid he’s not.” Friday spoke up. “Everything in the living room is recorded.” Maximoff’s face paled. “If required I can pull up the feed to show what Miss Maximoff did.” 


“No! No…I-I’m sorry.”

“Not the person you should be apologizing to.” Barnes shook her slightly, causing her to wince. Maximoff looked to Peter, before swallowing.

“I’m sorry.”

“No you’re not. You’re sorry you got caught.” Peter sniffled, before turning to be held in Tony’s arms. Tony held him close, glaring at Maximoff.

“Take her out of here before I force her out.” He said quietly. Before Rogers could take her Barnes dragged her to their wing. Ana stepped into the room with Mia just as they left.

“…What did she do?” Ana asked, seeing Peter upset.

“She was being a real bitch.” Peter muttered. “Sorry Mia.”

“It’s ok. Today’s ok.” Mia reached out, wanting to comfort Peter. He carefully picked her up, snuggling into his youngest sibling.

“Should I—”

“No. She’s not worth it.” Peter took a shuddering breath. “I just want to get through tonight…ok?” Tony nodded, but already planned on talking to the Council on this.

——

Funny enough he didn’t have a chance to talk to Ross before justice had been served. The next day while Tony was in a different meeting he was alerted that Maximoff was sent to the medical bay.

“What the hell happened?” He asked Friday as he left with Happy to go pick up Michael and Mia. Peter was doing patrols again.

“Apparently when she used her magic in training it set off Barnes. He broke her arm in three places.”

“Anyone else hurt?”

“Rogers is. He tried to stop Barnes and got choked out. He’s already recovering.”

“How’s Barnes?”

“His arm was damaged in the magical attack.”

“Damn. Contact the Princess and have her send me the schematics.”

“You plan on fixing it?” Friday sounded surprised.

“He stood up for my kid and broke the witches arm. I think I can help him out in regards to the arm.”

“Did you want to still speak with Councilman Ross?”

“Let’s see what’s going on at the compound beforehand.” Peter had been subdued since last night, which had Tony worried. Once he, Michael and Mia were home, he ushered them to their rooms while he went to talk to Carol and Rhodey. “What happened?”

“Maximoff used her magic to try and raise herself off the ground, and Barnes just…lunged. Snapped her arm in three places. Rogers tried to stop him and got attacked but he’s already recovering.” Carol handed him the tablet to show the video. As he watched he realized something.

Barnes broke the arm that Wanda raised against Peter.

Notes:

I couldn't bring myself to make Scott a bad person, just misguided. And Sam's always a good guy in my book. :) Also, Barnes breaking someone cause they bully a kid? Of course. Now if only Steve would figure out he's being a bully...

See you all Wednesday!

Chapter 5: "Sing to me, I am not, doin' well"

Notes:

Thank you guys again for the love, your comments and kudos make my day! This one is gonna be very Bucky centric, which means a little of Rogers but don't worry nothing too major. Otherwise there's talks of nightmares and being touch-starved. Oh and I have Riven's speech while they have the spell up in underline so it's easier to notice. Enjoy!

Title is from Sing to Me by Missio.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Thanks to Barnes Maximoff was out of commission for a while. She had to have surgery to fix two of the three breaks, meaning Rogers and Barton were constantly at her side in the medical bay. It helped to get Barnes down to the lab so Tony could fix his arm. Granted he wasn’t alone waiting.

“You guys act like he’s gonna attack me.” Tony grumbled, eyeing Stephen, Loki, Riven, Peter Michael and Mia.

“I don’t think he’ll attack you but I’d rather be here in case you have an anxiety attack.” Stephen said, flipping through a book.

“I am not gonna have an anxiety attack.”

“Dad you’re already anxious. We can see that.” Michael said from where he and Peter were building a new lego’s set.

“How so?”

“You’ve already dropped three tools, you’ve tripped on Dum-E, and you haven’t touched your coffee.” Loki said, not looking up from his own book.

“Ok so I’m a little nervous about having him here. But you all don’t have to be here.”

“We’re not letting you alone with him. Even if he’s shown he can be behaved I’d rather us be nearby.” Peter said, flipping through the instructions for their newest creation. Tony sighed realizing he wasn’t going to get anywhere. He turned to Mia who was sitting on his couch with her tablet, going through one of her educational programs.

“So why are you down here hm?” He said to her, smiling as he watched her. Mia looked up, blinking.

“‘Motional Support.” She nodded seriously. Tony snorted, shaking his head.

“You guys are ridiculous.” He noticed Riven going through old security feeds, alongside the training the rogues had been doing recently. “Whatcha looking at?”

”Something feels off.” 

“Off how?” Stephen and Loki both looked up.

”I don’t know yet…can’t put my claw on it…” he hummed, watching over one of the trainings with Maximoff. ”Once I know something I’ll let you know but until then…”

“Boss Sargent Barnes is almost here.” Riven blinked, and Ana came forward, waving the holograms of the trainings away. When Barnes did come in, Tony had to stop himself from swearing. The arm looked painful with how it just hung, completely limp and heavy. Barnes looked around, eyes darting around at everything and everyone before landing on Tony. He nodded to him, almost unsure where to go.

“Barnes. Why don’t you come over here so I can see the damage, yeah?” Barnes nodded again, before carefully coming over. “I’m not gonna hurt you.” Tony said softly.

“I..I don’t think you would. Even if I deserve it.” Barnes swallowed. “I didn’t want to come over and stress you out.” Tony could see Ana’s from the corner of his vision, titling her head. “You did’t have to do this…”

“No I didn’t. But here I am. Go ahead, sit.” Barnes sat, still very rigid even as he sat down. “Is it painful?” At the confused look, Tony motioned to his arm.

“Yeah…but it’s nothing I can’t handle.” Maximoff's attack must have rendered the switch for the sensors to be fried, meaning he felt it all instead of it turning off and being numb.

“I didn’t ask if you could handle it. I asked if it was painful.” Barnes swallowed, before nodding. “Alright. You ok with me touching it?” He blinked, almost lost at what Tony said.

“Y-Yeah…”

“You ok?”

“Yeah…just…not many actually ask before touching me.” Tony took a sharp breath, before pulling up the schematics Shuri sent over.

“We don’t work that way. Always ask, always tell if someone oversteps your boundaries, ok?” Barnes nodded, seeming to relax a bit. “Do you mind if I talk while I work? I hate working in silence.”

“Yeah…it’s better if you talk.” He seemed to relax more. Tony opened up the arm, going through the plates to see what caused its immobile state. As he did he talked, to Michael and Peter, to Ana and Stephen, even Mia asking which worksheet she was working on for her class. As he worked and spoke Barnes seemed to finally relax fully, listening to everyone.

“So MJ and Ned both want to play in your campaign Michael. Did you ask Robin and your friend from science class yet?” Peter asked as they worked. Tony noticed Barnes was watching them, focusing on the the legos they were putting together.

“Robin yes, Maggie no. She’s…having a hard time with her parents right now.”

“Why’s that Bambino?” Tony asked, replacing a few wires that had been messed up thanks to Maximoff.

“Cause her parents don’t accept her.” Tony paused, looking to his son.

“Is this the little girl you mentioned your first day?” At the nod Tony sighed. Michael’s first friend in school was a trans girl named Maggie. Michael saw how she was struggling because everyone around them wouldn’t use her name or pronouns, and quickly offered his support for her. Since then they’d be in constant communication, especially since Maggie’s family wasn’t supportive of her identity. “Do you want me to talk to her parents? See if I can convince them to let her come over?” Michael thought about it, before nodding.

“I’ll ask her.” Tony nodded, twisting a wire.

“Try to move it now.” He told Barnes, watching as he tried to move his fingers. “Any pain?”

“No…just feels like a pull.” Tony hummed, going to grab a few more wires. “Is your lab always like this?” Barnes asked quietly.

“What?”

“Comforting.” Tony paused, looking at him. Barnes was watching as Michael and Peter continued on talking, with a fond look on his face.

“It wasn’t before. But since the kids came into my life…yeah.” They were silent for a moment, before Barnes spoke up.

“I’m sorry.” As soon as he said that there was a lull in noise, causing everyone to hear him. “I’m so…so sorry.” Barnes looked down. “I don’t know how you can stand to have me here…near your kids…after what I did to you.” After a moment of tense silence, Tony spoke up.

“I don’t blame you.” Barnes jerked, looking up to Tony with wide, haunted eyes. “I stopped blaming you months ago.”

“Why?”

“Because it wasn’t you. You didn’t kill my parents. Hydra did.” Barnes breath hitched, as he stared at Tony.

“H-How can you—”

“Barnes. Breathe.” Barnes tried to breathe, starting to panic. “Hey hey hey it’s ok…” Tony stopped working on his arm, going and kneeling in front of him. “Look at me Barnes…Bucky…?” Barnes hiccuped a breath in finally, looking at Tony with tears forming in his eyes. “It’s ok. I promise you it’s ok. I was angry, yes. I’m still angry, but not at you. You had no control in what you did. I saw the files.” Barnes blinked at him. “I saw how they….made you into their weapon. You. Were not. At fault.” He stared into Tony’s eyes, searching for something before nodding.

“C-Can I hug you?” He asked him, and as soon as Tony nods Barnes pulls him into a one armed hug, muttering apologies still in the crook of his neck. Tony looked to Stephen, who gave him a small smile. After a few minutes, Barnes pulled back, sniffling.

“‘M Sorry.”

“Stop apologizing, you’re fine.” Tony chuckled. Barnes chuckled wetly, before looking to Tony’s side. Mia had come up, looking worried. “Hey babygirl, wanted to check on him with me?” Mia nodded, getting closer. She reached out, waiting for Barnes to give the ok before she touched his arm.

“You’re really sad…like Uncle Loki was.” Barnes looked to Loki, who was smiling fondly at them. “Can I hug you too? I give the best hugs…” Barnes swallowed, before nodding. He carefully put his arm around the little girl, pulling her up so she could sit on his lap while she hugged him tightly.

“See? Everything’s fine Barnes.”

“James.” Tony paused, looking at the ex-assasin. “Call me James. Please.”

“Alright James. You ok with nicknames?” After getting a nod, he chuckled. “Good cause I give them out like you wouldn’t believe.”

“Trust me James, you should not have given him permission. He’ll be relentless in annoying you.” Loki sniffed, going back to his book.

“You’re just angry I call you Rudolph.”

“That’s not even the worst of it!” He groaned. Tony laughed as he went back to get Jame’s arm working. Mia seemed content being held by James, while the man calmed down. Tony watched the way he seemed to lean into the gentle touch of Mia being there, knowing that look. He was probably as touch-starved as the kids and Loki were in the past.

“So I have a question, Mr Barnes-er…James sir.” Peter spoke up. “Does your arm have sensors? So like when you touch something you can actually process the feeling of it?” James stared, before his eyes widened.

“Holy shit you’re Spider-Man.”

“Language.” Mia hummed, before giggling.

“Sorry I just…you caught my punch. Oh my god I fought against a child and lost.” James blinked.

“I’m not a child!” Peter grumbled.

“Yeah you are.” Ana said laughing.

“Quiet, I’m older than you!”

“By a year.”

“Wait…no one else knows you’re Spider-Man.” Peter sighed, nodding.

“Yeah. I didn’t want anyone one to know. I was worried that anyone I made an enemy of would come after my loved ones. Sadly…that happened.” Peter looked down. James seemed to put two and two together.

“The bombing.”

“Yeah. Someone I put away managed to find out who I was and…tried to kill me and my Aunt. I survived.”

“And the guy who did it?”

“Was taken care of.” Ana spoke up, looking to James. After a moment he nods to her, before realizing something.

“That witch. She ran her mouth and…should’ve broken more than her arm.”

“Her magic didn’t actually trigger you, did it?” Stephen asked. At the shake of his head he just sighed, relieved. “I was worried for nothing. If her magic or any of ours does bother you, please tell us. We don’t want to make you uncomfortable.”

“I know. Loki’s said so.”

“Yes and what else did I say hm?” Loki smiled at James.

“You said Stark—”

“Nope, you call me Tony.”

“…Tony. You said that Tony wouldn’t hold what happened against me.”

“You two talking bout me? I’m wounded.” James just snorted, giving a small smile.

“You’re feeling better.” Mia said, smiling at him. At the confused look Loki spoke up again.

“Mia is an empath. She can feel others emotions.”

“So when she said I was sad…”

“I felt it! And now you don’t feel so sad…” James gave her a small smile, nodding.

“Boss, Rogers is requesting access to the lab.”

“What why?”

“Because he knows Ba—James is suppose to be down here.”

“Access denied.” Ana said growling a bit.

“I've already told him, he’s being rather rude.” Tony sighed.

“Miss Friday can you connect me to him, audio only?” James asked.

“Of course.” There was a pause before.

“Bucky?”

“‘M here punk.”

“Oh thank god Bucky are you ok, nothing’s happened right Stark isn’t—”

“Steve!” James said loudly, before muttering apologizes to Mia who jumped at him being louder. “For god sake calm down! I’m fine. Tony’s fixing my arm, I’m here talking with Peter and Mia. He doesn’t have me in some deep dark lair, just…calm down ok?”

“But he won’t let me in!”

“As he shouldn’t. Steve he doesn’t have to let you in here, this is his lab. So please stop making a scene and I’ll talk to you when I come back up.”

“But—”

“I’ll talk to you when I come back up.” James said with a colder tone.

“Alright Buck…I’ll wait.” James rolled his eyes.

“He’s waiting near the elevator.” Friday said after disconnecting him.

“Joy.” Tony grumbled, while putting another wire in. “Try now.” James was able to finally move his fingers, before moving the arm. “How’s that feel?”

“Much better.” He sighed. “Thank you Tony.”

“Anytime. And thanks for defending Peter.” James nodded.

“He’s a good kid. I don’t know why she’s so horrible…ever since we’ve come back she and Barton have been insufferable. And Steve just…lets it happen. He’s changed. He wasn’t like this the last time I was awake.” Ana turned, looking to him.

“Changed how?”

“He just…isn’t thinking right. He wasn’t like this when I spoke to him before going back under in Wakanda.” Ana’s eyes narrowed.

“Really…” Tony raised an eyebrow, but she shook her head. They were thinking about something but Tony trusted the twins to let him know if it was a big deal.

“If you want to stay down here for a bit, or hell even come down while we’re here that’s fine. A little place to get away.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I mean usually the kids are doing homework, Steph and Lokes read down here with Ana, and sometimes Mia will play fetch with the bots.”

“The bots?” Tony’s eyes lit up at realizing James hadn’t seen his bots.

“Oh you’re in for a treat.”

——

“Bucky!” James held back a groan as they left the elevator. Rogers looked relieved as if seeing James meant he knew he was safe. His relief was short lived when he realized who all came out of the elevator. “Why are the Stark kids with you?”

“Cause we were in the lab?” Michael said, rolling his eyes.

“Wait…Stark you let your kids in your lab?! That’s dangerous.”


“I don’t see how it’s dangerous.” Stephen said cooly, eyes narrowing at Rogers. “You act like he’s doing something dangerous down there.”

“Well he doesn’t let anyone down there so…we’re not sure what he’s doing.” Romanoff said as she crossed her arms. She was standing a bit further away, looking annoyed.

“Really…he let’s us down there.” Ana tilts her head. “He lets Pops down there, Uncle Loki, Uncle Bruce…Aunt Pepper, Aunt Carol, Uncle Rhodey…sounds like he lets anyone but you lot in there.” Romanoff glared at Ana, but backs off when she notices James giving her a dirty look.

“Why can’t we go down there then?” Rogers huffed.

“Because you lost those privileges long ago.” Stephen answered, before turning his back on the super soldier. “Mia, are you ready to feed your fish?”

“Yeah! Can James help me?” James blinked, looking down at her.

“Sure.”

“His name is Bucky.” Rogers said, trying to give Mia a smile, but it looked condescending. Mia tilted her head, looking at him.

“He said his name is James.”

“But he hates James.”

“No, he hates Bucky.” Rogers frowned. “He doesn’t like the name Bucky.”

“How would you know?”

“Because I told her.” James said, eyes darting to Tony. He wasn’t sure if they wanted the others to know about Mia. “And I’ve told you before Steve. I don’t feel like Bucky.”

“Buck…” Mia shook her head at Rogers, who glared at her. That angered James, who quickly turned to face Rogers, in the process shielding.

“Don’t.” He warned. Rogers blinked, before…looking confused. He blinked a few more times, before shaking his head.

“Sorry…I’m uh…not feeling good. Glad your arm’s fixed Buck.” Rogers spoke in a daze as he turned and left. Tony looked to everyone, confused. Romanoff glared before stalking off to see to Rogers.

”Something’s off…” Riven spoke, voice covered by the spell.

“Yeah…yeah that was weird.”

——

It was a few days later that Tony was woken up by Friday calm and quietly letting him know Peter had a nightmare and was out in the living room with Riven. He blinked trying to clear the sleep from his eyes, before getting out of bed. Stephen grumbled as he turned, looking to Tony.

“Nightmares?”

“Yeah. I’m gonna check on them.” Tony leaned down an gave Stephen a chaste kiss, knowing any deeper and he wouldn’t leave the bed. He pulled on a shirt as he went to the living room, checking on Mia and Michael. Mia was sleeping soundly but Michael looked like he was tossing a bit. He knew if the boy woke up Friday would have him go to the living room. He entered the living room, listening as Peter and Riven talked quietly.

“I just…keep seeing her you know? In the hospital.” Peter said quietly from his spot on the couch. “And then there’s…him…and he’s got MJ or Ned or Mia or…or you…sometimes it’s you and everyone else is at his feet…dead…”

”That would never happen little spider…we’ve made sure of that.” Peter gave a snort.

“What did you guys do anyway? I know he’s still in prison but he’s not…all there.”

”I may have pulled his knowledge out a little too roughly.” Riven shrugs, pulling more blankets out from where they had them in the long ottoman next to where Loki’s chair was. ”I promised no killing.”

“You did.” Peter hummed. “Want me to make hot chocolate?”

“Only if I get to pick out the documentary.” Tony finally spoke up, having both his children look to him.

“What’re you doing up?” Peter frowned as his dad came over and pulled him into a big hug, almost as if he’s trying shield him from the world.

“After Michael’s bad night alone I had put in a new protocol for you guys. No one’s dealing with nightmares alone anymore.” Peter huffed, but nodded into his chest.

”Why don’t I make the hot chocolate instead?” Riven chuckled.

“You sure you can handle that?” Tony teased.

”Of course I can handle that, I’ve watched Ana do it hundreds of times.” Riven sniffed, before tensing and turning quickly to the west wing. James was standing there, silent as ever.

“You’re not Ana.” James spoke after a moment.

“No…no that’s not Ana…” Tony watched, weary of what he’d do. James tilted his head, before stepping closer. He could now see Rivens black eyes and claws, and seemed to be taking them all in.

“Is it some sort of possession?” Riven paused, eyes flitting to the west wing. “No one else is awake. If they were I would’ve made myself known so you would get more of a warning. I heard a voice I didn’t recognize and was worried.”

”Not quite a possession but it’s the closest way to explain me. I’m my own person.”

“So there’s Ana, and then there’s you.” At the nod James hummed. “I wondered. Sometimes Ana would act off but…it wasn’t my place to point it out.”

“And we’d like you to keep it that way.” Stephen had entered, most likely thanks to Friday alerting him of Riven being revealed. “The others cannot know about him.”

“I won’t tell. I swear it. I don’t think the others would get it.”

”Why are you awake, James?” Riven watched him carefully.

“Same reason I assume you guys are…nightmares.”

“You get them too?” Peter asked quietly.

“Yeah…every night. Sometimes when I’m here I’ll find Loki out here and we’ll sit and talk. He makes me tea and listens to me.” Tony couldn’t be positive in the dim light but it looked like James was blushing slightly.

”Do you want tea or hot chocolate? That’s usually what we have.”

“You’re ok with me being out here?” At the multiple nods he smiles. “Hot chocolate sounds nice.” Riven goes to the kitchen, while Tony pulls out an extra blanket and holds it up for James. He takes it and sits, while Stephen pulls Peter to his side to snuggle. Tony goes and helps Riven bring in the multiple mugs of chocolate. Peter picks a history documentary, and they all curl up to watch. A few hours later Loki enters, looking a little worn from his own nightmares.

“Having a sleepover without me? I’m wounded.” He teased, but goes to the kitchen to grab his tea.

“Figured you’d get your beauty sleep finally.” James muttered, sipping his drink. Loki comes back moments later with tea, Riven already knowing someone would want tea afterwards. Slowly as the hours give way to Saturday morning, Michael and Mia found their way to the living room, and the cuddling covered the sectionals. James sat closer to Loki’s chair as they switched from history documentaries to animal. There’s few words as they all seek comfort in each others presence, and Tony realizes he’s more relaxed with James being out there than any of the others. Just before what would normally be their time for their morning jog, James looks to the doorway. “They’re awake.” Riven nods, before sighing as Ana wakes up. She yawns, before looking over to him.

“…Welcome to the nightmare club.”

Notes:

Aww James is part of the nightmare club now! And as far as James figuring out just now who Peter is, he hasn't paid attention to the kids except to give them their space (Something Rogers needs to learn). And of course he'd been talking to Loki. Who else understands what he's been through?

See you all Friday!

Chapter 6: "Don't you know, don't you know True friends stab you in the front?"

Notes:

Holy shit guys we're already at 210 kudos?! My jaw is on the floor I cannot believe it. Thank you all, so so much!

Title from - True Friends by Bring me the horizon

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Things change after that night. More often than not James is now a part of nightmare comforts. He and Loki have it down perfectly when one of the kids have a bad night, and the one time Tony had a nightmare while Stephen was at the Kamar-Taj. That night they all curled up while sharing stories from their past. Of Loki’s pranks, of James time in the war that he could fully remember, and of Tony’s recklessness when he first became Iron Man. Somehow they all got closer after that.

Another thing that changed was Scott and Sam seemed more confident to talk to the kids. Always making sure it’s ok with Tony or Stephen before asking Michael about what comic he was reading, or what novel Ana had in her hand. Always asking before talking to Mia about the newest SpongeBob episode or Peter about his latest decathlon meeting. Barton, Romanoff and Rogers were still stonewalled when it came to any questions they asked, and Maximoff didn’t even look their way. James always glared any time she came into the room. Of course during this time was when Rogers team finally got the clearance to be apart of the team meetings and trainings. Meaning they could find out about Peter.

“Are you sure about this?” Carol had asked Peter the night before the first meeting. They were talking in the kitchen as Ana made dinner and Tony went through paperwork for Pepper.

“They’re gonna realize it either way. I’m just worried they’re gonna lash out at Dad when it was my decision.” Peter said, bouncing his knee nervously.

“True…I’ll shut that down quickly though.”

“Thank you Aunt Carol.” Carol smiled before ruffling the teens hair. “Is any from Xavier coming?”

“Not for the first meeting. But the following weekend for training we have Logan, Scott, Jubilee, and Remy. Matt and Jessica are stopping by as well from the defenders. Oh and sometime in the following week the Guardians will be coming back for a bit.” Meeting Peter Quill and his little rag tag bunch was an interesting experience. Especially since it was another stand off when Riven appeared. After that tense moment everyone calmed down enough to get to the main problem. Thanos.

“Really?” Ana asked from the stove. “I’ll have to make sure Michael has the comics he wants to give Groot ready.” Thanks to Riven Ana understood Groot, which was…odd. A few weeks of them being at the compound found Groot Peter and Michael all playing video games and reading comics, with Ana or Rocket being translators for the Flora Colossus.

“I’m sure he’ll like that. Should also probably get together with Rocket on your guys little ‘project’.” When they explained to the Guardians their concern about Thanos, they had told Tony and the others that they knew here two of the stones were. Since then Quill and his team have been checking on the two, one with someone called ‘The Collector’ and another on a planet called ‘Xandar’.

“Probably a good idea. All we need is the metal we mentioned so as long as Rocket has that we’ll be good.”

“Should probably make sure their floor is stocked full. You know how Drax gets.” Tony groaned.

“At least Thor and Val will have a few more drinking buddies.” Carol chuckled. Friday chimed softly, warning them that someone was coming into the kitchen. Luckily it was just Scott, who looked a little nervous.

“Hey uh…Major?” Carol turned, waiting for him to continue. “I know we gotta ask permission before we can go outside of the compound and uh…my daughter Cassie is gonna visit this weekend, and I wanted to know if it’d be ok to take her out.” Carol thought about it, before nodding.

“Shouldn’t be an issue. Where were you planning on going?”

“Oh! Uh…the Zoo? I don’t know where to really take her.” Ana looked to Tony, eyebrow raised. Tony rolled his eyes, but nodded. He knew what his daughter was asking.

“Hey Scott…” Ana paused in her cooking. “We normally go to the zoo and aquarium at least once a month. This Sunday how about we all go? That way the Council won’t have any issue you being out with your daughter, seeing as Dad and Pops will be out with you.”

“Oh wow really? I’m not gonna intrude am I?”

“Na, but don’t be surprised if you have a little guide for the aquarium.” Tony chuckled.

“Guide?”

“Mia knows that place front and back.” Scott nodded, chuckling.

“She really likes the ocean huh. I gotta call Maggie and let her know! Thanks again Mr. Stark!”

“Told you to call me Tony!” He called as Scott left the kitchen.

——

That afternoon they headed to the meeting and Tony was just as anxious as Peter was.

“Not too late to back out.” He told him in the elevator, flanked by Stephen and Ana.

“No it’s fine. They can’t tell anyone, and since they have to be here it’s easier. Plus it feels nice not having to hide at home.”

“Pretty sure Aunt Carol’s gonna put the fear of god in them by the time this meeting’s done.” Ana chuckled.

“That should be entertaining to see.” Stephen smiled, taking Tony’s hand and pulling it up to kiss it. “Peter will be fine. We’ll make sure of that.” Tony nodded, before the elevator opened. They made their way to the conference room, and saw that the rogues were already there. While Rogers Romanoff Barton and Maximoff sat on one side, Scott and Sam sat on the end so they were closer to the other side. James sat next to Rogers, but was close to the front of the table where Carol and Rhodey were. Both leaders were going through a few things on their tablet quietly talking.

“What’s he doing here?” Barton glared at Peter. “This is suppose to be Avengers only.”

“We’ll get to that.” Ana said, leaning back in her seat. Rogers frowned.

“You shouldn’t be here either. Even if Tony made you an Avenger—”

“Dad didn’t make me anything. I went through the team leaders and the Accords Council in order to be a part time Avenger. And when I turn 18 I’ll go through them again to get my full time status.”

“Seriously Stark can’t you control her?” Romanoff said annoyed, giving Tony a look.

“I can do one of two things. I can be Iron Man, or I can control Ana. I cannot possibly do both.” Everyone was silent as they stared at him confused, before Ana groaned.

“Did you seriously just Teddy Roosevelt her?! Really?!” Stephen laughed loudly, causing Peter’s to try and hide his face as he snickered. Carol shook her head while Rhodey just pinched the bridge of his nose.

“What just happened?” Scott asked, lost.

“Dad just quoted Teddy Roosevelt. Which I am much less trouble than Alice Roosevelt was!”

“And he had to be president, not the point! Point is I can only do so much.” He shrugged grinning.

“You could actually try and discipline her.” Romanoff scoffed. Tony’s smile faded, and he leaned forward. There was a tense moment of silence, before he spoke up.

“Do not. Try to tell me. How to take care of my kid.” Romanoff stared him down, before looking away, knowing she lost this round. A moment later Hope came into the room.

“Sorry I’m late I had to file something for my dad.” If she noticed the tension in the room she didn’t act like it.

“That’s all right. Let’s go ahead and get this started. First off, to what Barton has brought up.” Carol looked to Peter, giving a nod.

“Reason I’m in here is because…I’m Spider-Man.” It took a moment for his words to sink in before all hell broke loose.

“Are you serious Stark?!”

“You brought a kid to Germany?!”

“Tony…”

“How could you do something so reckless!” Carol slammed her fist into the table, shutting up Romanoff, Barton, Rogers and Maximoff.

“ENOUGH.” Everyone was silent as they stared at Carol. “In regards to Peter’s involvement with the fiasco in Germany, the Council as well as myself and James have already taken action against Tony. His actions had consequences and he’s already paid his dues.”

“But you still have him as an Avenger, Jesus Stark—” Barton started, but Carol again shut that down.

“Tony had nothing to do with Peter’s involvement. Just like Ana, Peter came to the two of us in regards to being a part time Avenger. We set rules, rules that the Accords Council knows as well, in regards to any minors that wish to join.”

“What about his family? Did they ok this?” Romanoff asked.

“My Aunt did yes.” Peter spoke up, glaring at her. “She knew who I was, and what I did. Dad made sure I told her.” He glanced to Rogers, eyes narrowing. “We don’t keep secrets.” Rogers swallowed, looking away from the teen.

“Wait…hold up.” Sam said suddenly. “James did you know we got beat by a kid?!” Everyone turned to him to see he was smirking.

“Yeah. Found out when I went and got my arm fixed.” James snorted. “We got our asses handed to us by a child.”

“I cannot believe this.” Sam groaned. Scott thought for a moment, before speaking up.

“That whole ‘rope around the legs’ thing…was that your idea?” Peter grinned as he nodded. “You get that from Star Wars?” Another nod. “Nice!”

“Now that that’s settled, let’s continue with the meeting.” Rhodey said, directing their attention to the front of the table. Since Rogers and his team were finally involved they went over what was known about Thanos, the infinity stones, and what the initial plan is.

“The Guardians of the Galaxy will be here in the next week to help install some tech in the compound so we can keep communications going while they or myself are in space. So far the only way we can communicate with the Guardians is through the ship Thor and his people came in on.” Carol stated, pulling up the information in regards to the plan. “While they’re here Rocket, Stephen and Loki will be working together on a device to dampen the energy the stones give off. Once they’re finished the plan is to have the Guardians take one to the collector while I take the other to Xandar.”

“Wait there’s six stones…where’s the other ones?” Romanoff asked.

“Vision has the mind stone, the space stone from the tesseract is secured, and time stone is around Pater’s neck. We still do not know anything about the soul stone.” Tony noticed Maximoff’s eyes suddenly dart to Riven, watching to see what she does.

“How do you know so much?” She asked finally.

“I found the information about the stones from the library of Kamar-Taj.” which wasn’t a complete lie. They found plenty of information about the fact there were six stones, and more importantly about the Eye of Agamotto, also known as the time stone. But they didn't know that.

“And you just…remember all that?” Scott asked, amazed.

“I have a photographic memory. A very good one at that.”

“Oh wow…that’s pretty cool.” Ana smiled, looking down.

“Never heard it be called that but…thanks.”

“What other information could we use in this library?” Maximoff asked. Stephen glared, sitting straighter.

“There is no ‘we’ in this situation Miss Maximoff. The library is only for students and masters of the mystic arts.”

“Then why does she get to go there?” Barton asked, crossing his arms.

“Because I’m a student.”

“You’re a student…at a magic school?” Sam asked.

“Yup.”

“But what about…you know actual school?” Rogers asked.

“Rude. But I got my GED.” Ana shrugged. “I wanted to learn magic. I have the ability, thanks to…well thanks to things that were out of my control.” Peter reached over and gently squeezed her hand.

“But—”

“Not a topic she needs to discuss Stevie. Let’s move on.” James interrupted. Rogers frowned, but nodded. The rest of the meeting went decently, before Carol and Rhodey let them go.

——

After that meeting Tony had decided he and Stephen needed to step away for a bit. Peter and Ana had plans to go hang out with MJ and Ned, Michael was going to go to Xaviers to hang out with Robin, which meant Tony, Stephen and Mia went to the park.

“God they drive me nuts.” Tony grumbled, watching as Mia walked a head of them a bit. The late September air was refreshing.

“I know. One more month. By the way why didn’t you report what happened with Maximoff and Peter?” Stephen had his arm around Tony’s waist as they walked.

“One, cause James kinda took care of her for us. And two, Riven sense something. Won’t let me know what it is…”

“Yeah I noticed that too. Loki and I have checked the wards and spells, and Maximoff can’t use any of her magic so I’m not sure what’s going on.” Tony hummed, watching as Mia stopped, staring a man on a nearby bench before going quickly to her fathers. “What’s wrong little one?”

“Bad man.” She said as she made grabby hands for Stephen. Stephen quickly picked her up and Tony moved so he was on the outside of Stephen, gauntlet tucked between their bodies. The man had been watching Mia with almost a hungry expression but once she got back to the two men he tried to look like he wasn’t interested.

“Friday alert the authorities about this guy. Something’s off.”

“Already on it boss.” Mia tucked her face into Stephen’s neck, already relaxing. A few minutes after they left Friday alerted Tony that the man had been arrested. He was a known sex offender.

“You know we can’t always protect her.” Stephen said softly.

“I know. I know Ana and Peter can protect themselves pretty well but….Mia and Michael? I’m scared.”

“Best we can do is prepare them.”

“How so?”

“How about enrolling them in self defense classes?” Tony paused, thinking.

“Do they even teach 5 year olds?”

“They do actually. There’s a class that's between Mia’s and Michael’s schools, meaning Happy or myself could get them there.” Tony stopped, staring at Stephen.

“You’ve been thinking about this for a while…” Stephen gave him a sheepish smile.

“Blame Wong. He mentioned how the trainings have been helping Peter and Ana, but Michael and Mia were defenseless. And it may…have caused some anxiety.”

“Oh sweetheart…” Tony reached out and pulled Stephen into a hug, holding him and Mia close. “Why didn’t you say anything?”

“Because I wanted to look into something that would help…and bring it up to you. I was planning on asking you about it tonight but then Mia felt that man…” Stephen sighed, nuzzling the top of Tony’s head. Mia reached out and grabbed Tony’s shirt as well.

“Let’s talk to Michael. Mia is that something you want too?”

“What?”

“To learn how to protect yourself?” Mia thought about it, before nodding. “Sounds like a good plan.” Tony leaned up and kissed Stephen. “Thank you for thinking about it.” Stephen just kissed him again, before taking Tony’s hand and leading him home.

——

“Tony.” Tony rolled his eyes when he heard the ex spy as he waited for his coffee. It was the following day, and everyone was getting ready to go to the zoo and aquarium. Mia had asked if Sam and James could come too, which meant Loki wanted to come, and Hope had already planned to join so now it was now one big field trip. Tony needed more caffeine for this, so he was grabbing another cup of coffee. Standing near the door was Romanoff.

“Romanoff.”

“When are you going to move past this?”

“Move pass what?”

“Being upset with us. We've come back, and we've forgiven you.” Romanoff spoke softly, and Tony looked to her. The way she angled her body, tilted her head, it was obvious she was trying to make herself look more soft and kind. But Tony could see in her eyes the cold calculated stare she always had, which made him roll his eyes again.

“Really? You think I'm just gonna move on from what happened cause you 'forgave' me?”

“You’re hurting Steve…you’re hurting me…”

“No I’m not. Well maybe Steve but…” He shrugged. “Not my problem.”

“Really? All these years of friendship going down the drain just because we didn’t agree with you?”

“Is that what you think happened?” He finally turns to her. “That because of some ‘disagreement’ we stopped being close? We stopped being ‘friends’ long before the Accords, hell I’m not sure we were really friends to begin with.”

“Of course we were friends we—”

“Really? Maybe there was a glimmer of it but after Ultron…”

“You created Ultron how could we trust you?”

“No I didn’t. I actually got acquitted for that, but you didn’t bother to check did you? No because Maximoff came into the compound and I could not be near her. Meaning we drifted even further apart.”

“Considering you killed her parents we—” Tony interrupted her with a laugh.

“Killed her parents? Romanoff I didn’t make that bomb! Tell me. In all the time you’ve known me, gotten to known me for Fury hell even when you were my PA…do my bombs ever fail?” Romanoff’s eyes widened. “Yeah. That’s what I thought. But you all made me feel horrible cause somehow it was my fault. Some friends huh?” Romanoff huffed.

“How were we suppose to know that!”

“By thinking! Jesus woman you’re suppose to be a spy how did you—” Tony stops himself before he gets worked up. “Not the point. Point is, I’m not going to cater to you guys. I’m done. No ‘forving' or anything. Just me being done.” That wasn’t what Romanoff was expecting, or wanting.

“So what, you abandon your team for your new one? For your broken neurosurgeon and your freaky kids? Let’s face it without us you are alone.” Tony noticed someone behind her and didn’t say anything about it. “Your ego knows no bounds.”

“Really? Gonna go for the old ‘Iron Man yes Tony Stark not approved? You’re starting to run out of tricks ‘Rushman’. And there are others who are by my side.”

“Oh yeah? Who?”

“Me.” Romanoff's eyes widened as she felt hot breath fan over her neck as a deep almost guttural voice whispered right into her ear. She twisted around quickly, hand coming up to touch the back of her neck. All she saw in the doorway was Ana, leaning up against it with her arms crossed. She was nowhere near the spy. Tony noticed the woman shuddered, looking almost afraid at what she heard and felt.

“Good talk.” Is all Tony said as he walked past her.

Notes:

I have never liked Black Widow. I've been indifferent about her in the MCU, but Civil War just...ugh.

And we've got some world building! Next week we'll start off with that awesome zoo and aquarium trip, so be ready for some fluff and sweetness!

See you all Monday!

Chapter 7: "Sometime's you gotta bleed to know, that you're alive and have a soul. But it takes someone to come around to show you how"

Notes:

Thank you thank you thank you guys! So much love and support, I don't know what to do with all of it! I know we ended last chapter with Romanoff being a pain, but luckily this chapter we have some fluff! No real trigger warnings, so I hope you'll enjoy!

Title from - Tear in my heart by Twenty One Pilots.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“You ok?” James instantly noticed Tony was on edge when he came downstairs where everyone was waiting. Stephen was going to use a portal since there was so many of them this time.

“Yeah….yeah I’m ok.” He gave a soft smile, trying to shake what Romanoff said. While he knew it wasn’t true, it still stung. “Although Romanoff might not be by the time the twins are done with them.” James eyes narrowed.

“What did she do?” He growled, a bit of his Russian accent coming out.

“Tried to corner me and guilt me into ‘forgiving’ the rest of your team.”

“They ain’t my team.” He said bluntly, the Brooklyn twang coming in to play. Tony thought it was funny how he could switch between the two. He paused when he saw Ana come out. “I dunno what they are but pests.”

“Hey now one of them is your best friend.”

“Was. Now? I don’t know. I don’t know what’s going on with him.” Tony gave a gentle squeeze of his shoulder. They’d managed to work him up to being able to be touched carefully, as long as he could see you. Anyone from behind who tried to touch him still got thrown, or worse. “What’d you two do?” He asked when Ana came over. She gave a ‘who? Me?’ Expression.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Uh huh.” A portal opened nearby, with Stephen and Loki coming out. Loki had been helping the Kamar-Taj with some of the wards recently, and Stephen wanted to make sure there would be no troubles interrupting their trip out.

“Wow!” Cassie, who Scott had introduced before Tony left the compound stared. “That’s so cool Daddy! Does Mr. Strange do all kinds of tricks like that.”

“Papa’s name is Doctor Strange, and he can do all kinds of magic!” Mia told her before she ran to Stephen’s arms. “Right Papa?”

“Right sweetheart.” Stephen chuckled, picking her up and going to Scott and Cassie. “But you can call me Stephen.”

“Hi Stephen!” Cassie smiled shyly. Tony watched fondly as Stephen used his magic to conjure Mia’s wagon they now use during their trips not only for her but for any extra bags they may have. “So cool.” Cassie whispered loudly.

“Not as cool as me right?” Scott asked. When Cassie didn’t reply at first he whined a bit. “Right?”

“Scott man, you cannot beat magic these days.” Sam laughed.

“Alright, we ready?” Tony asked, and after getting confirmations Tony and Ana opened portals to the aquarium. “We usually do this first, then the zoo.” He explained to Scott and Sam. James stuck close to Loki, which Tony noticed. Interesting.

“That’s fine. We haven’t taken Cassie to an aquarium in forever…” Scott said with a bit of sadness in his voice.

“Luckily you have the best aquarium guide here, right Miss Mia?” Tony watched as his youngest gasped before grinning like mad.

“Yes yes yes!” Stephen put her down and she led the group around, pointing out everything. Mia and Cassie went from display to display, Michael holding both their hands to make sure they didn’t go too far. Tony smiled as he watched watched everyone, from Scott and Hope talking with the kids, to Sam teasing Scott and getting them all to laugh. He looked over and saw James and Loki talking quietly, being still really close together.

“Look.” He nudged Stephen. Stephen looked over, and chuckled as he turned to speak softly into his fiancé’s ear.

“Loki was asking today how to properly court someone in Midgard.” Tony’s eyes widened.

“You’re fucking with me.” He whispered, glancing to make sure the kids were occupied.

“Nope. I think he’s scared of being rejected, hence why he wanted advice.”

“Rejected?! Steph you’ve seen the way James looks at him.” Tony hissed, eyeing the two they were talking about. Luckily James was too busy listening to what Loki was saying to really hear them.

“Oh I know. But Loki doesn’t.”

“Oh man we’re gonna have to play matchmaker aren’t we?”

“God I hope not.” Stephen laughed, before kissing Tony’s temple.

——

“No offense Tony but I’m surprised you didn’t buy everything in that gift shop for Mia.” Sam said as they gathered at the entrance of the zoo. They had just left the aquarium, with Tony picking up a few new things for Mia and Michael. Michael wanted to get something for Maggie, seeing as the girl was still having issues at her home.

“You should’ve seen him the first visit. We’re lucky Pops was with us or Happy would’ve had to figure out how to bring us and so many shark things home.” Michael laughed. Peter had paused and flipped through a few pictures from his phone before showing Sam and Scott the large shark plush that was now laying in Mia’s bed. It was the size of the little girl’s bed.

“Oh my god.”

“And then I had to convince him to not buy every animal here for Michael.” Stephen said, rolling his eyes.

“Hey I listened! I just decided to get him a tortoise later.”

“Wait you wanted to buy me animals from the zoo?” Michael looked confused.

“Yeah…I may have mentioned wanting to buy you one of the tortoises here, and a giraffe…and a sea lion…” Michael laughed hugging Tony, smiling.

“Glad you’re managing to reel him in Stephen.” Sam chuckled.

“It’s a full time job.”

“Hey!” The rest of the zoo visit went extremely well, although Tony started to notice more between Loki and James. While they were in the reptile house, Tony had to nudge Stephen to look.

Loki was explaining something about a large green tree python they were in front of, and James smiled as he listened intently. Tony watched as James carefully brushed his hand against Loki’s, which caused the mage to respond by holding it. Loki kept talking, explaining some prank he did to Thor and how he wished he could’ve been able to be as big as said snake when he did it as a child. It wasn’t until Mia called for them to ‘hurry up’ that they both looked to their hands. Loki looked back up to James, nervous, but before he could pull away James intwined their fingers, and pulled Loki’s hand up to kiss his knuckles, never breaking eye contact. Tony had to bite his lip to stop from making any noise as Loki flushed, before nodding to Mia. They headed towards the group still holding hands.

“I did not know James was that smooth.” Stephen said, staring in just as much shock.

“Yeah me neither.” The rest of the trip was the usual fun chaos. If anyone noticed James and Loki holding hands, they didn’t say anything. While they were at the petting zoo Tony saw James eyes light up at seeing the goats. Loki seemed to notice too, but before he could ask Mia came over.

“Do you want to help feed the goats James?” James nodded, reluctantly pulling his hand away from Loki. Tony took that moment to go over and speak with him while James was preoccupied with his little girl.

“Did you know he was tending to goats when he was in Wakanda?” Tony asked after standing next to Loki, watching them. Loki watched as well, before he spoke up.

“Should I get him goats? Have them in New Asgard for him to come and tend to? He can’t have them at the compound…”

“Slow down Rudolph, why don’t you guys go on a date before you decide on having kids?” Loki blinked at him, before it clicked with him about what baby goats were called.

“Very amusing Anthony…I don’t know…how to ‘date’. I can’t exactly ask Thor, I know he was with Jane for some time. But I’m afraid the overprotective oof will scare James away.” Tony chuckling nodding.

“Yeah he would. Why don’t you see if he wants to go out to dinner? I can find some nice places in Brooklyn for you guys to go to?”

“Why Brooklyn?”

“It’s where he’s from.” Loki blinked, before nodding.

“I would like that very much.” He watched as Sam came over, talking with James as he pet the goats. Mia ran over to Cassie and Michael who were feeding the pigs. “How did you know about him being from Brooklyn?”

“Ah…well it’s common knowledge in regards to Captain America’s best friend, but there’s also a Smithsonian exhibit about him and Rogers.” Loki hummed, seeming to think.

“I’ll have to look into that.” Tony watched as Sam glanced at the two of them, before throwing them a knowing smirk. “Do you think they’ll hate me more? Or worse, hate him?”

“If they were truly his friends, they’d be happy for him. For you.” Loki nodded, before smiling as James turned to him, and motioned for him to come over.

Before they left they made their usual stop at the gift shop, and Mia had pulled James over to the bracelet display they frequented.

“You should get one too!” She told him, before looking to Sam and Scott pointedly.

“Stark I think your kid is bullying us into bracelets.” Sam joked.

“Should listen to her Wilson. She is the daughter of a genius.” Tony joked back. “Also please call me Tony. Already told Scotty there the same thing.”

“What’s with the bracelets by the way?” Scott asked, watching as Cassie came closer to look at the different bracelets.

“It was Peter’s idea. He wanted on for him and May, and then we all got ones. Each with their own animals.” Stephen explained.

“I noticed even Rhodes and Danvers has them…and doesn’t Hope have one too?” He looked over to where Hope was helping Michael pick out something else for Maggie.

“Well…yes. We actually have them warded.” Stephen explained. “We originally did it for the kids, but once we knew you all were coming…we warned each bracelet against any magic. Specifically Maximoff’s magic.” Scott and Sam shared a loot, before Sam spoke up.

“Think we can get on that?” Stephen blinked, before frowning.

“Do you not trust her?”

“Nope.”

“Not even a little.” Stephen shared a look with Tony, before nodding.

“Why don’t you see if Cassie wants a matching charm for you and her mom?” Scott’s eyes lit up before he went over to explain to Cassie the plan. Sam watched as Mia got excited at seeing the two come over, showing them a new section they had on insects.

“Hey St—Tony?” Sam waited till the inventor looked to him. “I wanted to talk to you…about James and Loki.” Tony’s eyes narrowed, but motioned him to step further away from everyone. “So, James wants to ask Loki out on a date.” Tony blinked, before having to stifle a laugh.

“Loki came to me about how to ask James on a date.” He responded to Sam’s slight glare.

“Oh man…they’re gonna try to ask each other out.”

“Yup.”

“Reason I brought this up is I know we have to ask permission before going out—”

“I’ll talk to my honey bear and his honey.” Tony winked. “We’ll make sure it goes smoothly.” Tony’s smile faded, before he looked to the man seriously. “I need your help making sure Rogers and Romanoff don’t lash out at him or Loki.”

“Not twisting my arm about that. I don’t know what happened but Jesus they’ve all become unbearable. I’ve been thinking about asking Rhodes to move wings, or to go ahead and go to the floor we were suppose to be in.”

“I’ll talk to him.” Tony shrugged. “I’d rather not have you or Scott uncomfortable.”

“And James?”

“James is a part of the nightmare club, of course I want him comfortable.”

“Daddy! Sam! Come find your bracelet!” Mia called.

“Go on, pick one out. It’s on us, and once you guys have them Steph and Ana will ward them.” Sam nodded, before going over. “Alright princess you help the others pick out charms?”

“Yup! James is getting a wolf, and Scott is getting a little ant, along with Cassie! Cassie got a flower for her and her mama and now we’re waiting on you.” She gave a look to Sam.

“Oh my god Tony she’s got Stephen’s look down.”

“What look?” When Mia gave him the same look he cracked up. “Oh my god she does!” In the end Sam got a falcon, and Stephen and Ana took the bracelets and began their spell work. By the time they went home to the compound all bracelets were charmed.

——

The next week was busy. That weekend was their training, and Tony knew there would be trouble. However before that mess he had gotten Mia and Michael signed up for martial arts. Stephen and Happy split who picked up who so they could get both kids from school and out to the classes. When filling out the paperwork Tony paused at putting down Stephen’s relationship to the kids. He realized that while they called him Pops or Papa, and Tony’s always said they were his, legally they weren’t.

“What’re you looking over love?” Stephen brought him out of his thoughts. He didn’t even notice he came into the living room.

“Paperwork for you to pick the kids up.” Stephen hummed, sitting close and pulling Tony to him, before leaning over and looking over the same paperwork. His eyes stopped at relationship, and he was silent for a moment, before asking in a soft tone.

“I was going to ask…how do you feel about me asking if they would like to be adopted by me…” Tony turned, searching Stephen’s eyes. He saw the uncertainty the sorcerer felt, and gave him an encouraging smile.

“I told you before Stephen. They’re our kids. So of course you can. I just didn’t know how to bring it up.” He reached up and cupped Stephen’s cheek. Stephen took said hand and slid it so he could kiss Tony’s palm, and he could feel his fiancé smiling.

“I love you.” Tony chuckled before leaning in, letting his hand fall as he kissed Stephen.

“I love you too.” He hummed, kissing him more.

“Ugh. Can you two not?” Stephen growled into his mouth as his gaze turned sharply to the archer in front of them. “Seriously that’s disgusting.”

“Didn’t take you for a homophobe Barton.” Tony said coldly, glaring at the man. Barton’s blanched, before back tracking.

“Shit I’m not! No! I just don’t want to see you two making out like horny teenagers!”

“What we do in the living room is not your concern.” Stephen growled, pulling Tony closer.

“Ugh whatever. Have you guys seen Barnes? Steve can’t find him.” Tony and Stephen shared a quick glance.

“Honestly haven’t seen him.” Barton’s eyes narrowed, before he snorted.

“Whatever. Tell him Steve’s looking for him if you do see him.”

“Sure.”

“Yup.” They waited until Barton left before sighing.

“Where is he anyways?” Stephen asked Tony softly, kissing his temple.

“New Asgard. He was going stir crazy so Loki offered him to go visit and see how construction’s doing.” Stephen chuckled.

“Sounds like a good escape.” Michael came out of his room, bouncing a bit on his heels.

“I got ahold of Maggie, her parents are ok with her coming this weekend!”

“Awesome, do you want Happy to go pick her up?” Tony knew his son was worried about her coming for his first Dnd campaign.

“If that’s ok…can we make sure Uncle Happy knows not to call Maggie by that name? Her parents…”

“I’ll let him know to not say her name, not until they’re in the car yeah?” Michael nodded, smiling.

“I gotta go finish my notes, thanks Dad!” Tony hummed, before snuggling closer to Stephen.

“So. Shall we talk during dinner?”

“I think that’s a wonderful idea.” Stephen agreed.

That evening when they talked to Ana Michael Mia and Peter about the adoption, Mia was the first to speak up.

“Does that mean we’ll be Stark-Strange? Or Strange-Stark?” Tony blinked, before looking over to Stephen. Stephen looked just as lost as how to go about this.

“I figured since Dad adopted us first we could be Stark-Strange. But does that make Pete Parker-Stark-Strange?” Michael questioned. Ana looked like she was trying to hold in her laughter.

“That is a mouthful. I’ll stick with Peter Parker-Stark. No offense Pops.”

“Uh…none taken. We weren’t…” Stephen is at a loss for words. Tony clears his throat.

“We already talked, and we’re going to keep our last names as is. But that means that no matter what happens, Steph is your other dad. Your pops.”

“I mean he already is.” Michael pointed out.

“Right. But this means that it’s official.”

“You five…” Stephen reached out and held Ana’s hand, smiling at her. “Have been mine from the start, just like with Tony. But this way there’s no one who could question it.”

“Alright.” Ana said after a moment. Michael nodded, and Peter grinned at Stephen. Mia seemed to pout, looking to her food.

“Sweetheart? What’s wrong?” Stephen looked concerned.

“How long is it gonna take?” After the confused looks she continued. “Cause Daddy adopting up took forever.” Tony snickered at that.

“I’ll call Victoria first thing tomorrow ok? We’ll see if we can’t line them up with when Steph and I have our wedding.” That seemed to satisfy Mia, and the conversation went to their wedding planning.

——

“Hey Carol got a minute?” Tony caught Carol before they made their way to the gym where the training was going to take place today. Carol looked up from where she was getting her gloves situated.

“Sure what’s on your mind?”

“Loki and or James will be coming to you to request James to go out for a night.” At the confusion, he continued. “One of them is gonna ask the other for a date.” Carol laughed.

“Really? I was wondering when one of them would make a move. I’ll alert the council so they know that James will be out and about with Loki. Any idea on where they’re gonna go?”

“No, I told Loki about him being from Brooklyn. Hell I advised him to see the exhibit they have on him and Rogers to learn more about Jame’s past. So we’ll have to see what he plans. Or if James asks him out first.”

“I’m a little worried about Rogers.” Carol hummed as they headed to the gym.

“Yeah I am too. Might wanna get the transfer papers ready.” Carol snorted, but didn’t say anything further as they entered. Rogers team was already there, with Maximoff needing to watch since she couldn’t actually participate. Peter and Ana were there, along with Stephen and Loki. Sam and Scott seemed to be further away from Rogers, Barton and Romanoff, while James was actually talking to Stephen and Loki about something, further away from the others. Rogers looked upset, but hadn’t made a fool of himself. Yet.

“We’re still waiting on Xavier’s group, and Thor and Bruce.” Carol told the others, looking over her tablet. “Defenders should be here shortly.”

“Wait Daredevil and Jess are gonna be here?” Peter asked, and Tony could tell even with his mask he was grinning. “I’m kinda hoping they could show me a move Daredevil did last time they helped me with patrol.”

“You mean that wall flip thing?” Ana asked, her voice altered thanks to her modulator.

“Yeah I mean I tried to copy it and ended up in a dumpster.” Peter grumbled. Tony shook his head, before noticing Maximoff going over to Stephen, Loki and James. He went over to make sure everything was ok.

“Strange.” Maximoff said as soon as she stood before him. Stephen raised an eyebrow at her, before finishing his conversation with Loki.

“Maximoff. What can I do for you?”

“I want you to teach me.” Stephen paused, tilting his head as he regarded her.

“No.” Maximoff glared, not happy about that.

“Why not?! You’re training that Stark brat—”

“That right there is why. You seem to think you’re entitled to my time. If you were maybe a little less condescending and a little more open minded I might be considering it. And as for Ana…” Stephen leaned over, getting into Maximoffs face. “She’s my brat as well. So be careful how you word things.”

“B-but you could…teach me to control my powers!” Stephen leaned back, eyes narrowing. Maximoff seemed desperate for some reason.

“I could.” Stephen hummed. “And when you first came back you had that option. But you refused.”

“I didn’t realize how you could help me…the resources you had.” Again Stephen’s eyes narrowed, before he calmly spoke again.

“And now that ship has sailed. So no. No we will not teach you.” Maximoff got red in the face, ready to lash out.

“I’d be careful there witch.” Loki said amused. “You seem…desperate for something. What is it you really seek?” Maximoff glared at Loki, before huffing and leaving, going back to Rogers and his team.

“What the hell was that?” Tony asked, watching the woman. She pouted as Rogers and Barton talked to her, before they both glared at Stephen.

“I don’t know. I don’t like how she demanded to be taught. Just like I didn’t like how she wanted to know about the libraries of the Kamar-Taj.”

“I wasn’t lying when I said she seemed desperate.” Loki scoffed, crossing his arms.

“Did you mean it when you said you gave her the option of training?” James asked.

“Yes. It was offered while you all were in Wakanda. I got notified that she rejected it instantly, so that door was closed.” Stephen shrugged. The doors to the gym opened, with Matt and Jessica entering first, followed by Jubilee, Scott, Remy, and —

“Holy shit.” Everyone turned to Rogers, who paled considerably. He looked like he had seen a ghost. “Logan?”

Notes:

oooh how does Rogers know Logan? :D We'll have to see huh?

And as far as Stephen adopting the kids, a friend of mine mentioned her stepdad had adopted her when he married her mom, and I thought that was sweet.

See you all Wednesday!

Chapter 8: I'm a motherfucking monster who’s searching for redemption

Notes:

Hello everyone! I'm so glad people were excited about seeing Logan and Cap interact. Now, real quick! The back story I'm using is from Wolverine Origins 16-20. While in that Logan did know Nat, in this he does not. He only knows Bucky and Steve. We're not gonna go into the hand being there or anything *flaps hand* it's not needed haha. Also in that comic Cap is...you know...dead. So definitely straying from that.

Trigger warnings - not quite transphobia but Maggie's home situation isn't the healthiest for the young teen.

Title from - I WANNA BE YOUR SLAVE by Måneskin

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Logan stared at Rogers, expression unreadable. Tony noticed James tense up, glaring a bit at the man. Rogers came over to Logan, still staring at him like he wasn’t sure he was really there, before holding out hand for a shake. Logan smirked, before taking it. After a moment Rogers pulled him into a hug, albeit the other was stiff.

“How…how have you not aged?” Rogers asked, laughing as he pulled back. “I mean last I saw you…”

“Last you saw me I was dying after Buck over there shot me.” Tony looked to James again, raising an eyebrow. James just gave a short shake of the head, meaning he didn’t want to talk about it.

“I didn’t know you knew the Captain.” Carol said, still a little confused.

“I didn’t. At least I didn’t remember him much until recently.”

“What do you mean you didn’t remember?” Rogers asked.

“That’s…a long story. But thankfully I’ve had some help getting some memories back.” Tony looked to Scott who came up to greet him and the others.

“Jean?” He asked Scott, knowing she and Logan were having ‘sessions’ which usually left him with a migraine for a few days.

“Jean.” Remy and Jubilee came over, Jubilee hugging Ana before high-fiving Peter. The first meeting of Jubilee and his two oldest was chaotic, in the best way. Remy had only been to one other training, and he was the one who gave Ana the idea of her weapon that Tony had made her.

“So how old does this make you now old man?” Remy asked, teasing Logan.

“Shut it Cajun.” He growled back.

“He’s right. How old does this make you?” Rogers asked. Logan sighed, before looking to Carol.

“This may take a minute, mind if we talk in private?” Carol nodded, still just as lost.

“Sure, we’re still waiting on the defenders and Thor and Bruce.” Logan nodded, before motioned Rogers and James to a side door so they could speak. Loki looked nervous, worried for James.

“I’m sure they’re gonna be fine. Logans a good guy.”

“I hope you are right Anthony.” By the time the rest of those who were suppose there showed up, Rogers and James came out. James looked angry still, while Rogers looked…upset? Logan entered a moment later, sporting a bruise on his face.

“Jesus Christ, what happened?!” Tony’s jaw dropped.

“Nothing happened.” Logan said at the same time as James said

“I punched him.” The two men looked to each other, before smirking.

“I deserved it.”

“Yeah you did.”

“Don’t worry it’ll heal before I see Robin off for his sleepover.”

“Meaning Mia doesn’t have to know.” Tony nodded. At the look James gave him, Tony explained. “Logan saved Mia from abduction while we were at the science museum. Since then Logan’s been one of Mia’s favorite people to check on." James hummed, knowing that the little girl helped figuring out a persons character.

“I guess…if even Mia likes you now…I can move past what happened.” Logan gave him a self deprecated smile.

“Trust me, learning more and more about what I've done is hard to move past.” James eyes narrowed, but he nods.

“Welcome to the ‘we did shitty things in the past’ club. We’ll make shirts one day.” Tony said, grinning at the two of them. That seems to drain what little tension they had left. “Alright, let’s get this show on the road?”

Training went well, as well as it could be honestly. No more issues with Rogers group, and Matt helped Peter learn a few tricks next time he patrolled. Jessica gave one unimpressed look at Rogers when he tried to introduce himself and said

“Nope.” Before she walked away. Tony had to bite his lip to stop himself from laughing. Jessica Jones was not one to fuck around. He watched as Remy showed Ana a few tricks with her now freshly made bo-staff. Tony had his help in making it balanced, and used a bit of the nano bites he had to make it so it could shift and open for their ribbons to go through to create blades or other anything else the twins mind could think of. He watched as Remy used his own bo-staff to go against her, pointing out spots where her stance could be improved. At one point Ana’s staff got knocked out of her hand, but instead of it clattering to the ground the ribbon from said hand had already been wrapped in the inner part of the staff, making it easy to pull right back into her hand. Remy whistled low, pausing in his stance.

“Damn Cher, wish I had something like that.”

“Your card tricks are useful enough…now…show me how you did that.” Ana tapped his staff with the end of hers. He just shook his head before showing her again. Tony knows his kids are in good hands. The rest goes smoothly, before Carol calls for everyone to wrap up and hit the showers.

“You ready to say hi to Mia before you guys leave?” Tony asked Logan.

“Of course. She was napping when we dropped Robin off upstairs.” Michael’s friend was spending the night, and tomorrow the rest of their group would be over for his first campaign. “Lemme just get cleaned up and we’ll be up.” Scott was talking with Carol and Rhodey about the training, and what the X-Men had been doing with their own training. Jessica and Matt headed off first, with Thor and Bruce following since they had a date they were going to. Loki watched them leave with a look of want.

“You gonna ask him?” Tony asked him when he came over. James was talking to Ana and Peter, a small smile on his face.

“Soon…I think. Tonight I’m going to that museum you mentioned.” Loki sighed. “I hope he says yes.”

“Pretty sure he will.” Tony teased. “Steph I’m gonna get cleaned up ok?” Stephen smiled as he waved him off, talking with Remy. After getting cleaned up in the locker room showers, Tony went to head out but paused. He heard a set of voices out near the lockers, right where he'd have to go in order to leave.

“Listen Cap, as much as I like see you ok I’m a little pissed at you.” Logan was saying.

“What? Why?” Rogers asked, and Tony could imagine the lost puppy dog look he usually had.

“‘Cause of this whole mess you made with the government.”

“You don’t agree with the accords, do you Logan?” Tony heard him scoff.

“No, not at all. But you pulling the shit you did didn’t help your case in going against it.”

“What do you mean?”

“Jesus Steve.” He could hear Logan’s eye roll. “They say you’re dangerous and need to be kept in check and you what? Destroy a bridge in Romania? Trash a German airport? Yeah that’s really helping your case.”

“But Buc—”

“Bucky could’ve handled himself.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Yes I do. Or did you forget the mission we had before he shot me? You act like your buddy there is made of glass; hate to break it to you but he’s not. I know he’s not. ’Specially after that hit.”

“How did you manage to take the punch with his arm? And it now looks like there’s barely a mark?”

“Same way I managed to survive him shooting me. And how I’ve managed to stay alive this whole time.”

“You gotta tell me about it sometime.” Rogers chuckled.

“Sometime. Right now though Cap? Right now you gotta pull your head outta your ass.” Tony heard him leave. Rogers sighed before following, which gave Tony a moment before he also left the locker room. As he left he saw all that were left were starting to head out. Logan had walked past Maximoff before he paused. His nostrils flared before he eyed the woman, who was talking to Barton as they made their way out of the gym. He watched them leave before going over to Carol and Scott.

“Hey Danvers. Question.” Carol looked up from her tablet. “Who all have been here from the school?” She looked confused, before going back to the tablet, pulling something up.

“Let’s see…the four from today….Jean, Ororo, Rogue…Quinton and Gabrielle.” Logan nodded, humming as he thought.

“Something wrong?” Tony asked, watched as the man thought.

“No…just something caught my attention but…I think it’s nothing.” Logan looked over to him. “Now, let’s go see the munchkin.” As soon as they entered the living quarters, Mia jumped up from her seat next to Michael and Robin. She looked excited to see Logan.

“Logan! Michael said you were here but I was napping.”

“Yeah, I wanted to make sure to say hi before heading out.” Logan smiled at her fondly, ruffling her hair.

“How’d it go?” Robin asked from their seat, smiling as Jubilee and Remy came over to see what the kids had been doing.

“Good. Logan here managed to throw Thor.” Jubilee said, laughing.

“Wait. You threw Uncle Thor?” Michael blinked, which Logan just shrugged.

“We were sparing.”

“No I get that just…you threw him…Jesus you gotta be strong.”

“You have no idea.” Remy chuckled. Mia went to the coffee table where she was coloring, and grabbed two drawings.

“Mr. Remy?” Mia asked, causing the Cajun to look over to her.

“Yeah Cher?” She handed him one picture, before going and handing another to Jubilee. She had drawn the two of them, with Remy having pink and purple cards around him and Jubilee’s had her shooting out little fireworks. Jubilee squealed before kneeling down so she could hug Mia. Mia giggled at the hug, happy the older girl liked it.

“This is so cool! Logan you weren’t kidding about the drawings oh my god I’m framing this when we get back to school.”

“This real good hun. Thank you.” Remy smiled down, ruffling Mia’s hair.

——

The next day when Tony met Maggie for the first time he understood why Michael was so protective over her. She reminded him of the boy when they first met. Her hair was cut short, almost shorter than they'd cut you for boot camp, and her clothes were a bit baggy, like she was trying to hide herself away. She looked terrified of Tony and Stephen, almost afraid she’d say the wrong thing and get thrown out. Michael took her hand gently and pulled her to the two of them.

“Dad, Pops…this is Maggie.” Michael said, giving her hand a comforting squeeze.

“Hey Maggie, I’ve heard a lot about you from Michael. Your trip here ok? Happy didn’t make you feel weird? He’s a weird guy.” Michael rolled his eyes.

“Uncle Happy isn’t weird.”

“You haven’t heard him try to talk about Downtown Abby.” Maggie giggled, before clamping a hand over her mouth. She looked fearful over the fact she giggled. Tony frowned, not liking that.

“S-Sorry…uh…no Mr. Happy was…was fine. And thank you M-Mr. Stark for letting me come here.” Tony shoots a glance to Stephen, who gave him a side eye as well.

“It’s not a problem Maggie. And you can call me Tony. No Mr. Stark here, just Michael’s dad.” He gave her a small smile, which she returned. “You kids tell us if you need anything ok? MJ and Ned should be here soon.” Michael nodded, giving him a thankful smile.

“Let me introduce you to the others!” Maggie followed him along like a little lost duckling.

“I don’t like that.” Stephen said softly.

“Yeah me neither.”

“We can’t meddle in everyone’s affairs…” Stephen said, but he didn’t stop as Tony took his tablet and had Friday do a search on Maggie and her family. Father and a Step-mother. It looked like they were a cookie cutter family, except any pictures Tony found of said family, Maggie looked miserable.

“It’s not meddling. It’s making sure our son’s friends are ok.” Tony justified. Stephen snorted but pulled Tony closer. Ned and MJ came over, and the kids all got set up. Mia had come to the living room to watch some movies with her parents, snuggled in between them. A few hours later as the kids took a little break and chatted in the living room with snacks, Loki came in. Maggie who was talking with Robin suddenly stopped, staring. Because Loki was female.

“I forgot you all were having your little game today.” She said, reaching out and brushing a bit of Michael's bangs out of his eyes.

“Wh..who is that?” Tony heard Maggie whisper to Ana. Ana smirked.

“That’s Loki.”

“What?! No she isn’t!” She looked panicked as she said that louder. Loki looked over, before smiling kindly at the girl.

“Yes I am.” She chuckled. “And you are?”

“I’m An—Maggie.” She blushed. Loki smiled, clasping Maggie’s hand in a way Tony saw many of the women of Asgard did with each other.

“Hello Maggie. I believe Michael was talking about you coming for his game, right?” At the nod she continued. “Excellent. Hopefully we’ll see you around more. Now if you’ll excuse me.” She turned to head to their wing. “I’m going to go change before running another quick errand.” She winked and left. After a moment Maggie squeaked.

“I-I didn’t know Loki could…do that.”

“Yeah she’s usually is male, but sometimes she’s female.” Maggie nodded as she listened to Michael, and looked longingly to where the Goddess left. “You ok?”

“Y-Yeah. Yeah I’m ok.”

——

“Ana, can I ask a favor?” James asked that evening. Peter and Michael were finishing up whatever homework they hadn’t done earlier for the following day of school, leaving Stephen, Tony, Mia and Ana in the kitchen as she cooked.

“Sure. What’s up?” Ana looked to him.

“Can…you help me make something?” Ana paused in her cooking, turning full to him.

“Make what exactly?”

“I…” James looked out of the doorway, making sure no one was nearby. “I want help making something sweet…” He said in a quiet tone. Ana stared, before it clicked with her.

“You want to make something sweet…for Uncle Loki?” At his nod a bright smile broke out. Loki’s sweet tooth was no secret. “Alright, I’ll teach you how to bake.” She hummed. “I know what he really likes too. He’s been impatient about my pumpkin bread.”

“You’ll help me make it?”

“Of course. How about we start after dinner?”

“That would be perfect, thank you.” Of course they didn’t expect that after dinner Rogers wanted James to hang out with him.

“C’mon Buck, we were gonna watch a movie with Nat and Wanda. I haven’t seen it, pretty sure you haven’t either.”

“Look Stevie as nice as that sounds I…have plans.” Rogers frowned, crossing his arms.

“What plans?”

“I…”

“I was gonna teach him some recipes for baking.” Ana spoke up. Rogers looked to the girl, annoyed. Tony felt himself bristle any time they looked at his kids the wrong way.

“Why would he learn how to bake with you?”

“Cause I’m an excellent baker? Cause we were talking about what I cook and bake for the fall? Cause it’s really not your business?” Ana looked bored. “The list goes on…” Luckily Sam spoke up from where he was sitting at.

“Baking huh? That’s actually a really good idea.” Rogers looked to Sam, a look of betrayal on his face. He wasn’t happy that Sam now resided in the north wing.

“How is that a good idea?”

“Baking has been proven to very therapeutic, especially for those who have PTSD.” Sam shrugged. “Several vets at the VA did it. It’s why I never had to bring anything in for snacks, everyone would bring stuff they made.” Sam smiled, missing going there for counseling.

“Oh…I never thought about that. But then why does Ana have to teach you?”

“Because again…I’m an excellent baker.” She crossed her arms, before giving Rogers a look. “As someone who uses baking and cooking as a way to work through their PTSD, pretty sure I’m the best choice as a teacher.” Rogers looked a little annoyed, but seemed to understand.

“Alright. Maybe next time then?” James nodded, waving his friend off. Once he was gone, James relaxed a bit.

“So…baking huh?” Sam teased. “Anything sweet?”

“Shut it.”

The lessons went for a few days, with James always making an excuse of learning to have Rogers and the others back off him. Sam and Scott helped, which meant the ex-assassin got a chance to breathe. After tasting one of the two loaves they had finally made, Ana declared it was ready for Loki. She helped him carefully wrap it all up after cutting it, and wished him luck.

It was later that day that James came into the living room and grabbed Ana, lifting her into a huge spinning hug. After he put her down he had whispered something to her so softly in Russian that Tony couldn’t tell what it was before going off to the west wing. Everyone else in the living room looked lost, before Stephen spoke up.

“What was that about?” Ana huffed out a laugh, seeming to be a little shocked at the hug she just received.

“Loki asked him out before James could even give him the bread. He beat James." Tony stared, stunned.

“You're joking?"

“Nope. And he said yes.”

Notes:

I kinda can't wait to see who all figures out who Carol mentioned. Also let's be real if we'd let him Tony would adopt all the kids.

And Loki asked James!!! Also I had to put the whole 'James bakes to help with ptsd' cause man I love a man who can bake sweets. Luckily Loki is a man with a sweet-tooth. ;D I hope you all enjoyed it.

See you all Friday!

Chapter 9: "I like that you're broken, broken like me, maybe that makes me a fool."

Notes:

Oh man you guys...I love you. Really. You make my day each time I see the amount of love you have for this story. Thank you thank you thank you. So the guardians are mentioned but I had a super hard time trying to write them, so they're gonna be talked about in passing. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy this chapter!

Title from - Broken by lovelytheband

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Tony?”

“Hm?”

“Why was there a talking raccoon asking me for the price of my arm?” Tony looked up from where he was working in his lab, screwdriver in his mouth and arms deep into the new tech Rocket had brought. James had come in looking troubled, and that would be why. Tony took the screwdriver out of his mouth before snickering.

“Ah. That’s Rocket. Ignore him, he’s a pain in the ass. A genius, but a pain in the ass.” He pulled himself out of the tech and stretched. “How’d you run into him? I figured he’d either be in the ship or at the new ‘command center’ with Carol.”

“I was looking for Ana for some help, she and Stephen were with him and a…tree?” James sat on the couch, looking lost.

“Ah. Groot.”

“Yeah he said that.”

“It’s all he can say. Ana and Rocket can translate…technically Ana Riven and Rocket can translate but still. You won’t get anything else out of him.” James still looked lost, nodding. Dum-E came over at hearing a new person, beeping in excitement.

“Hey you leave him be, he doesn’t have to play fetch with you if he doesn’t want to.” Tony scolded the bot, causing him to whine.

“It’s ok, I don’t mind.” At that Dum-E beeped excitedly as he got his ball.

“I swear between you and Mia he’s spoiled.” As he turned back to the components he was working on, he heard James talk softly to Dum-E, almost like he would a small child. It was rare anyone treated his bots like that. While he may yell and threaten to scrap them he cared for those three menaces. “What were you looking for Ana for, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“…I wanted fashion help.” Tony stopped, before turning to James.

“And you went to my oldest daughter?”

“I…I don’t know what to wear for our date.” James mumbled. “And I don’t know who else to ask! I sure as shit ain’t gonna ask Romanoff or Maximoff, Danvers scares me and Van Dyne is in San Fransisco.” Tony paused, before laughing. “Don’t make fun of me.”

“I’m not it’s just…shit I realized you have very little options.”

“I don’t even know where he’s taking me! He won’t tell me. Just to ‘dress nicely’.”

“Sounds like him. When is it?”

“It’s this weekend. He’s been busy with trade negations so…I haven’t seen him.”

“You know I feel the same way when Stephen goes off doing ‘Sorcerer Supreme’ business. It kills me each time he goes off. I know he’ll be safe but…” He sighed. “There’s been some close calls.” There had been a few times Stephen would stay at the Kamar-Taj because he couldn’t face the kids after being hurt. Nothing major but he didn’t want them to see the bandages or the bruises. Ana always knew, and Mia always sensed something was off. Those were definitely cuddle pile days.

“When I first had a nightmare here…he was already out in the kitchen. I almost backed out but all he said was ‘how do you take your tea?’ Afterwards he had me sit down on the couch and he put on a documentary. Never tried to push me to talk about it, never made small talk…just made tea and put something on. It was after the first few nights I felt comfortable talking. And then we started talking about what caused each others pain.”

“It’s been our nightmare remedy for a while as you can tell. Ana was a bit of an insomniac from nightmares, so she’d make hot cocoa and we’d talk. Then while Michael was in medical for his back, Mia had a nightmare about her mother. We started watching documentaries to keep her mind off of the trauma she just experienced. Now it’s all just folded into one big nightly tradition.”

“It’s nice. Makes me feel less alone.”

“You’re not alone anymore Terminator. Trust me.” Tony smirked at him. “You’re now stuck with us.”

“Boss.” Friday interrupted. “Vision wanted to let you know he’ll be home tomorrow.” Tony paused before looking up to the ceiling.

“He knows they’re back?”

“Yes Boss. He’s aware of everything that has happened. He asked if his room is still available.”

“Of course it is. Besides the kids will be happy to see him. Just have him give us a heads up before he arrives.”

“Will do Boss.”

“So….Vision?” James asked.

“Yeah…he hasn’t felt comfortable being around with Maximoff being here.”

“I’m not surprised. The way she demanded for him every other week was driving me and Sam nuts. What…happened if you don’t mind me asking?” Tony tells him about what happened. About finding Vision in a hole that took up almost all of the south wings in the several floors they had. About the confusion the android had as to why someone who claimed to care for him, did such a thing.

“I’ll break more than her arm if she pulls something.” James grumbled.

“Aw you say the sweetest things Frosty.” He had been trying to be careful about nicknames, even if James said it was ok. Each time he slipped one out James either smiled shyly or grinned brighter. “But no more maiming.”

“Pretty sure you said no blood on the carpets.”

“Pretty sure thanks to you and the twins I had to up that to no maiming.”

“I make no promises.”

That evening when Michael and Mia came home, Mia had a paper for Tony. They were having a ‘bring your family to school’ day, although the letter asked for a max of 2 people. It was suppose to be that Friday.

“Can you and Papa come?” Mia asked, knowing both of them were busy during the day. Tony knew he could free up his day, but looked to Stephen who had picked her up and put her on his hip.

“I’ll make sure Uncle Wong knows I’m unavailable.” Mia cheered at that.

“Who’s unavailable?” Ana asked as she came in from the elevator. Rocket and Riven had just finished the final touches in the containers for the stones, and Riven had to bring out the space stone to make sure the readings were correct.

“Papa’s gonna be un’vail’ble Friday.”

“Unavailable.” Tony said gently, repeating it slower so Mia could listen.

“Unavailable.” Mia nodded.

“Good job Mia.” Ana took the paper Tony held out for her, reading it. “Ah, I see why you said you’ll be unavailable. If need be I’m sure I can help out at the Kamar-Taj. I’m no sorcerer supreme but…” Ana shrugged.

“They have been wanting your help in teaching some of the newer students.” Stephen hummed.

“Oh, Ana have you talked to James yet?” Tony remembered.

“No, why?”

“He needs help with planning his outfit for his date.” Tony switched to Italian in case Rogers or the others walked in.

“Ah. Don’t know how well I’ll help.”

“Do you have any idea where Rudolph’s taking him?”

“I can find out to make sure he’s dressed accordingly. I know he and Uncle Thor are busy, where’s Uncle Bruce?”

“Visiting a cousin of his.”

——

“Boss Vision will be arriving at the compound shortly.” Friday said as he worked on the circuit board for Rocket.

“Does he want to come down here or…?”

“He need to talk to the Major and Honey Bear before he’ll be able to come up to the living quarters.” He checked the time, realizing that everyone else should be coming home soon. He told the kids Viz would be home today so Peter was planning on coming home right after school.

“Alright might as well make our way upstairs.” Just as he made his way into the living room he saw the usual golden portal open with Stephen and Ana stepping out. “Viz should be here soon.”

“Friday alerted us. Happy is almost here too.” Tony went over and kissed Stephen soundly, needing some sort of comfort. He knew this would end badly, but he still hoped he was wrong. Not a few minutes later did the elevator open with his other three children, all talking about different things before going over and hugging Tony, Stephen and Ana. As they went and dropped off their bags, the elevator opened up again, and in walked Vision. He was in his human form, and had several bags with him.

“Hey Viz.” Tony smiled, seeing the android look relieved it was only them in the living room.

“Tony. Stephen. Ana.” He smiled back. “I’ve brought gifts, where—”

“Uncle Viz!!” Peter came out first, and immediately came over. Vision hugged him, before getting bombarded by Michael and Mia.

“You sure you wanna stick around?” Tony teased.

“Of course. I have missed this. I think…I think I’m find with finally coming home.” Tony smiled, clapping Vision on the shoulder. “I have gifts for all of you.” Vision brought over the bags he had, bringing out different trinkets he got while traveling. Ana and Michael put a few on the mantle while Mia sat listening intently as Vision told them where he had gotten the different items. Of course as they were talking, the elevator opened and in came Rogers, Barton, Maximoff and Romanoff.

“Viz?” Maximoff looked hopeful as she instantly recognized him.

“Wait that’s Vision?” Rogers and the others hadn’t seen his human form, so it didn’t click with them first. Vision paused, before looking to them.

“Miss Maximoff. Captain.” He nodded to them, and Tony felt a little bad at the broken hearted look Maximoff had.

“Viz? W-Why are you calling me that?” Maximoff got closer, and reached out to touch him. He pulled back, which caused her to pull back as well, almost afraid she’d hurt him. “What’s going on?”

“Nothing is going on Miss Maximoff. I’m simply calling you by your name.”

“You…you’ve always called me Wanda…why are you treating me like a stranger?!”

“Because I’m not sure I know who you are.” Maximoff’s eyes widened, before tears started to form.

“Of course you know who I am. Who else would I be?”

“I thought I knew who you were yes…but…” Vision eyed Barton, who flinched under his gaze. “That was before.”

“You knew I couldn’t be locked up…you knew I hated to be treated like a threat like that.”

“And yet you are locked up…being treated as a threat.” Wanda let out a whimper, before turning and running to the west wing. Romanoff and Barton went after her to console her.

“Vision…how could you say that? She’s been asking for you since we got back to the states.” Rogers asked, looking hurt.

“That’s exactly why I haven’t been here, Captain Rogers. To distance myself from her.”

“Why? You’re hurting her!”

“And she hurt me.” Rogers flinched, his lips now a thin tight line. “She hurt me…and I no longer trust her. I’m sorry if you feel this is unfair but those are my feelings.” Rogers watched as Vision turned and walked to the east wing, before looking to Tony.

“Tony…”

“I don’t know why you’re going to me.”

“Can’t you talk to him?”

“I did. I talked to him while waiting for Rhodey to get out of surgery. I talked to him when we came back here and the south wing was so damaged that we’re still going through and repairing them. I talked to him after he felt lost and confused because a woman he thought cared about him, hurt him. So yeah I talked to him.”

“That’s not how it happened.”

“How did it happen hm? Because I’d love to hear what you seem to think happened. She should’ve stayed put, she would’ve been fine here, and Vision wouldn’t be conflicted being around her. But no. I’m the bad guy.”

“You were trying to lock her up! Hell you did!”

“No. I was trying to keep her safe. And you all being locked up? Ross was the one to put you in the Raft. After you broke the law.” Rogers opened his mouth to say more, but stopped when he saw Ana come up to stand by Tony. He shook his head and left, which let Tony relax. Stephen pulled him close, kissing the crown of his head. Tony sighed and snuggled closer to his fiancé.

“You ok?” Tony hummed, before pulling back to look up to Stephen.

“Yeah…yeah I’m ok.” He turned and noticed Ana—no Riven staring at the west wing. “Tesoro?”

“Just…getting a feel.”

“She’s not using magic is she?”

“Not that I can tell no…the wards aren’t going off. But…something’s just…I can’t shake this feeling. I’ll need to look into it more. Wish Uncle Loki was here.”

“Yeah I know…for now everyone steer clear yeah?”

——

That Friday of Mia’s ‘Parent Day’ was interesting. Parents weren’t suppose to be there till the afternoon, and when signing in Tony and Stephen got some stares. Stephen was dressed in jeans and a nice button up, with his usual red scarf that was the cloak. Tony dressed more relaxed, with some nice slacks, button up and his usual sunglasses. They were given name tags, that stated ‘Hi! I’m ___’s ___’.

“Whatever your child calls you at home is what we ask.” The receptionist explained, giving out markers. Tony smiled at seeing Stephen wear his tag that said ‘Hi! I’m Mia’s Papa’ and looked down to his, feeling warmth spread from his chest.

“Excuse me, ma’am?” He overheard the receptionist.

“Not a ma’am.” He heard a neutral voice speak, which caused him to turn. Standing not too far from them was a person who looked more like they came from a rock concert than any office job, signing in. They had short green hair, a leather jacket and when they turned he could see a nose piercing. They had next to them a large white dog, with a service vest on. It almost looked like a German Shepard but he couldn't be sure.

“O-Oh I’m sorry…uh…”

“Mx. is fine.”

“Mix?”

“Mx. M-X. What seems to be the problem?”

“W-well we don’t allow animals.”

“Not even service animals? I have his papers if you’d like.” The receptionist paused, biting her lip.

“Give me a moment, I’m more worried the children will try to bother you.”

“Ah. Understandable.” They wrote down their name, and Tony had tried to peak at their name but quickly turned before they turned sharply to him.

“What are you doing?” Stephen whispered to him.

“What? I’m curious!” He whispered back. Stephen just chuckled before pulling him over to the door to make their way to Mia’s classroom. There was a commotion when they entered, since everyone knew Tony Stark and now Doctor Stephen Strange. Luckily the teacher Mr. Schwartz was able to quickly have everyone’s attention so Tony and Stephen could go sit next to Mia. Mia was practically vibrating in her seat next to her desk-mate.

“Hi Daddy! Hi Papa!” She whispered loudly.

“Hi pumpkin.” Tony whispered back, kissing the top of her head before sitting in the chairs they had set up for the adults. He watched as the receptionist from before came in, talked quietly to the teacher, before leaving.

“Alright class now I know we’re excited about all parents and family members coming, but we need to talk about being respectful, ok?” All the kids quieted down, listening to the instructor. “One of the parents has a service dog, specifically an emotional support dog. That means that the dog is doing a special job for that parent, ok? Remember we talked about being respectful last week?” At the nods he continued. “As much as I’m sure everyone wants to see and pet the dog, we need to be respectful and let the dog do its job.”

“What’s its job?” One kid asked, before realizing he needed to raise his hand, and quickly did so. Mr. Schwartz chuckled, but before he could answer the little girl sitting next to Mia raised her hand.

“I know I know!” She said eagerly, but not super loud. That caused Mr. Schwartz to laugh more before nodding to her.

“Go ahead Sarah.”

His job is to be there for the person in case they have a panic attack or anxiety attack. If they start having attacks he has to calm them down.” A lot of ooohs and aaahs went around the room, before Mr. Schwartz clapped his hand.

“Alright, now that we know what his job is we’re going to be respectful alright?” At the chorus of yes’s he went to the door and spoke quietly to someone, before letting in the same green haired person, dog right by their side. There were a lot of whispers and quiet talking but no one jumped up to try and pet the dog. They pulled up a chair next to Sarah, while the dog sat right at their owners feet.

“Hi Rem.” Tony heard Sarah say.

“Hi Sarah.” Rem looked to Mia, then to Tony and Stephen, giving them a small nod. Tony could now see their name tag, which said ‘Hi, I’m Sarah’s Rem’ which was…odd, but he wasn’t going to question it. The rest of the afternoon was having class introduce their parents and tell them what they did. And one question per parent, which Tony was thankful. With each introduction by the kids came polite clapping, and after the parents answered any questions, more polite clapping. When it came to their desk, Mia led Stephen and Tony up to the front, before clearing her throat.

“Hi. I’m Mia Rose Stark. This is my Daddy, Tony Stark. And this is my Papa, Doctor Stephen Strange.” A few parents chuckled, finding Mia’s antics adorable. “My Daddy is Iron Man, and my Papa is the Sorcerer Supreme.” She had to sound out ‘Sorcerer’ but still managed through it. “They adopted me and my siblings, and I love them very much.” Several hands went out to ask questions. Mia picked one little girl, who asked instantly

“What’s it like being Iron Man?!” Tony laughed, knowing that’d be one of them.

“It’s…fun. But it’s very dangerous. And it can be scary. But…knowing I can help people…I can save people…I wouldn’t change it for the world.” Another round of hands went up for Stephen. Mia picked a girl in the back.

“Can anyone learn magic?” Stephen paused, thinking about this.

“I’d like to think so. I wasn’t always a follower of such things…I was a man of science. Still am to some degree but…I would really like to think anyone can.” The little girl looked so happy at that, and Tony saw Stephen look fondly at her, knowing he made her day. After they sat down with the polite clapping, Sarah and Rem came up to the front, Rem’s dog following.

“Hi. I’m Sarah Thomas. And this is Remington Thomas, but I call them Rem. They adopted me and my big brother last year. And this is Azir.” She pointed to the dog. “It’s not his full name, but I have a hard time saying it, so I call him Azir. Rem stays at home and does work on a computer.” Rem chuckled at that.

“I’m an editor for a publishing firm. I work with all kinds of authors.” They said. One boy blurted out,

“Why does Sarah say you’re a ‘them’?”

“Alex!” Mr. Schwartz spoke softly. “Remember to raise your hand for questions.”

“Rem’s not a girl. Or a boy. They’re non-biny.” Sarah stood taller, as if ready for a fight.

“Non-Binary sweetheart.” Rem chuckled again, putting their hand on her back, rubbing it a bit. “What she said is true. I’m non-binary, meaning I do not identify as a boy or a girl. So I ask people to use they and them.”

“Oh. Ok.” Tony blinked, looking to Stephen. He wasn’t sure how it was that simple for the kids, but they just seemed to understand that.

“I’m sure that wasn’t the one question…” Rem looked to Mr. Schwartz and he nodded.

“Go ahead and raise your hands, so Sarah can call on someone.” Several hands shot up, and Sarah picked a boy in the front.

“Why do you have Azir?” Said dog was sitting next to Rem, leaning on them a bit like he was grounding them. Tony noticed Rem’s hand twitched slightly, before going to Az’s hand and feeling the fur.

“I have Azir because I have PTSD. It stands for post traumatic stress disorder. I suffer anxiety and panic attacks, and Azir helps me calm down, and even stops really bad attacks that make it hard for me to even move. He’s been with me for a few years now, and I don’t think I could handle going out without him.” There was a pause, before the polite clapping. Rem and Sarah sat back down, and Mia leaned in to talk to Sarah.

“Can you give Azir a pet for me when he’s allowed to have them?”

“Yeah! I’ll give him extra cuddles for you.” The rest of the time went by rather quickly, and before long the bell rang and everyone was getting ready to head home. Rem stood, and actually went to Tony and Stephen.

“When Sarah said one of her best friends was Mia Stark I honestly didn’t think it was Tony Stark’s kid. She talks about her all the time.” Tony held out his hand to shake theirs, smiling a bit.

“Rem, right? Mia talks about Sarah a lot as well.”

“She’s been asking me about having sleepovers. I told her we’d have to wait a bit, but…don’t be surprised if she asks.”

“Oh…not sure sleepovers will be good…idea…” Tony instantly thought of the nightmares she has.

“If she wanted to go I can easily put a small spell so she didn’t have nightmares for a night.” Stephen murmured into his ear. Rem watched, before taking his reluctance as something else.

“I understand if you’re worried about her safety. I have a security system, and a guard dog. Actually his brother.” They looked to Azir who was still leaning on them.

“No it’s not…she has nightmares.” Tony blurted out.

“Ah. So do I. Sometimes Toby and Sarah do as well. Like I said, it’s something in the future.” Rem shrugged. “Although next month is Sarah’s birthday so she’ll probably ask Mia to come over. You can see our house then.”

“I think we can definitely do that.”

Notes:

Mia out here making friends and Tony making parent friends. Always a nice thing :) I had to look up how parent or family days are, but decided to make it a little different. I'm just winging it when it comes to children haha. And as far as them understanding Rem's gender kids can really surprise you in understanding such things you know?

See you all Monday!

Chapter 10: "What do you believe? When nobody is watching what do you believe?

Notes:

Oh my gods you guys we got past 300 kudos and we're just hitting chapter 10! Aaaaaaahhh you all are amazing, thank you for the love.

TW - some talks of bullying happening

Title from - Bloodmoney by Poppy

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tony came into the lab where Stephen, Ana, James and Vision were at. James and Ana were looking at a tablet, with James’s eyebrows knitted in concern while Ana gave him a smug grin.

“I’m sure he’s gonna love this.” Ana was saying.

“How do you know?”

“Trust me. You wanted my help didn’t you?”

“What are you two doing?” Tony interrupted.

“Picking out James outfit for his date tonight.”

“Ah. Still no idea where he’s taking you?”

“No.” James groaned out. Ana gave Tony a look that meant she knew exactly where they were going.

“Better go get ready then.” Tony teased.

“Alright.” James sighed. “Wish me luck?”

“You’ll be fine. Go.” Ana pushed. James grumbled before heading out.

“I’m glad to see Sargent Barnes looking so well.” Vision said where he sat on the couch.

“Should probably call him James.” Tony pointed out.

“Of course.” Ana then moved to pull up different trainings of Maximoff, Rogers, Barton and Romanoff. “What are you doing Ana?
"

“Trying to solve a puzzle…” She hummed, before Riven spoke up.

“Something’s off with their team and we can’t figure it out.”

“Perhaps I could be of assistance.” Vision stood, putting his book down before coming up behind him. “What is it that you’re looking for?”

“Anything out of the ordinary, with either their fight styles or attitude…” Tony watched them for a moment before going over to Stephen.

“And what are you doing Dumbledore?” He draped himself over Stephen’s back, resting his head on the man’s shoulder.

“Working on a new spell for the newest class.” Stephen turned and kissed Tony’s cheek. “How’s the wedding planner hunting going?” Tony groaned. “You should’ve had Pepper do it.”

“Yeah but she’s been busy being, you know, my CEO so I wasn’t gonna ask her to interview and vet our wedding planner.”

“You know she’d love to help.” 


“I know, but…I feel bad. She’s got enough on her plate with the company and our new releases coming out next month.” Stephen just chuckled, nuzzling Tony’s cheek with his own.

“You’re such a sweetheart.”

“Boss, Happy wanted to warn you while he’s on his way with Michael and Mia, Mia is upset.”

“What why?! What happened?”

“He said it wasn’t anything serious, but…he asks if you have nail polish?” Tony blinked, looking to everyone else.

“What?”

“I’ll text Aunt Pepper.”

——

Apparently the reason Happy asked if they had nail polish was because one of the little girls in Mia’s class decided to brag about ‘getting her nails done with mommy’, specifically in front of Mia and Sarah. When they came home Mia went to Tony and just clinged to him. Tony picked her up, holding her close.

“What happened sweetheart?”

“Becky’s mean…” Is all she mumbled into his neck. Tony rubbed her back soothingly, and looked to Stephen.

“Mia…” Mia looked to her Papa and reached out, getting handed to him and cuddling close. “Let’s get you in some more comfy clothes ok?” Mia nodded, and Stephen took her to her room. Tony pulled out his phone and made a quick call.

“This is Rem.” After that parent day he and Rem swapped numbers.

“Hey Rem, it’s Tony. Did Sarah come home upset?”

“Yeah…yeah she did. She wouldn’t tell me why though.” Tony quickly explained what Happy found out. “I see…looks like I gotta pull out some nail polish.”

“Yeah we’re doing the same. I’ll talk to the school about the teasing.”

“Let me know when and I’ll bring up my concerns as well.”

“Awesome, I’ll let you know when I schedule that meeting. Thanks Rem.”

“Anytime Tony. Tell Mia we say hi.” By the time he hung up the phone Stephen and Mia had come back out, with Mia holding Bruce close.

“How about while we wait for dinner we watch Jaws?” Tony asked, which Mia instantly agreed to. Ana had contacted Pepper about bringing over some nail polish and having a ‘girls night’. She arrived just before dinner, with a makeup box full of different things for manicures. Mia had started to cheer up with Pepper and Happy over, but when she saw what was in the box afterwards she got ecstatic.

“Are we gonna paint our nails?!” She asked, bouncing a bit.

“Yes we are Miss Mia. Let’s pick out a color.”

“Are you gonna paint your nails too Ana?” Mia looked over to her older sister.

“Sure.” Michael watched, before coming over and looking through the different colors.

“Michael?” Mia looked to her brother.

“Hm?”

“Will you paint your nails too?”

“I…” The boy looked torn.

“What’s wrong Bambino?” Tony saw his hesitation.

“It wouldn’t be…too girly for me…to do that…” He mumbled. “Right?” Tony looked to Stephen, who raised an eyebrow.

“Not at all.” They heard Peter come in, he had stayed out for a date with MJ. “Hey Pete! Come here.”

“What’s up Dad—Oh are you guys painting your nails?” He saw Pepper setting everything up in the living room.

“Yeah, I’ll explain why later.” He motioned for the teen to get closer. “Mia was wondering if Michael was going to paint his nails.” Peter blinked, before looking to his little brother.

“Are you?”

“It’s…it feels like it’d be too girly.” Michael bit his lip as he looked to a particular green he found.

“I don’t see how it’s girly. Can I get my nails painted too?” Michael looked up to him.

“You’d paint your nails too?”

“Yeah. Heck I bet dad would look good with this one.” Peter held out a hot rod red. Tony blinked, before grinning.

“He’s right. I would look great with that one.” Which is how they all ended up getting their nails painted with Vision watching. As Ana helped get Michael’s done, Barton and Rogers came out.

“Have you guys seen Bucky?” Rogers asked. “I haven’t been able to find him.”

“Nope.”

“Nu uh.”

“No.” 


“I’m afraid I have not.” Barton noticed what they were doing, giving them a weird look.

“Really? Your kids are getting their nails painted Stark?” Tony ignored him watching Pepper paint Mia’s nails a nice shade of blue. “Isn’t that kinda ga—” Barton quickly shut up as several heads snapped to him glaring. He partially noticed Ana glaring with her ribbons creeping out from her back slowly. “Nevermind. Sorry.” He muttered before he left. Rogers went to the elevator to see if he could find James anywhere else.

“I see what you mean Ana.” Vision spoke up. “Something is wrong. They were never this…cruel before.”

——

“Boss! Boss you’re needed in the living room!” Tony jerked awake, causing Stephen who was holding him to sit up as well.

“Fri? Wha—”

“Rogers saw Loki and James come back from their date.” Tony looked to Stephen, before they both bolted. As soon as Tony opened the bedroom door they could hear the yelling. When they got closer they could make out what was being said.

“Bucky you need to get away from him! Loki what the hell did you do?!”

“Steve Loki hasn’t done anything to me, stop it!”

“But he kissed you!”

“Actually I think James kissed me first.” Loki hummed.

“Now’s not the time Doll.”

“What the hell…you actually want him to kiss you?!” When Tony and Stephen entered the living room they saw James was in between Loki and Rogers who looked like he wanted to strangle the mage.

“Of course I do, I like him!” James said, frustrated. Rogers looked even more heartbroken.

“He’s got to be using you Buck! He…he’s not your type…”


“The fuck does that mean?!” James growled, getting angrier. Their yelling caused others to come to the living room, which made Tony wish Carol and Rhodey were here instead of in New Asgard with Quill’s group to make a second command center.

“It means how could you be interested in a psychotic killer! He’s killed thousands, he tried take over the world!”

“You mean how he was tortured? And how he was forced to kill?”

“You can’t seriously believe that.”

“Of course I can! Because I’ve been through the same thing, hell I've done the same thing!” Romanoff and Barton came up, both glaring at Loki.

“James, you need to calm down love…” Loki said softly, touching Jame’s shoulder.

“Don’t touch him like that! Like you care!” Loki’s eyes narrowed at the captain, before moving past James.

“I could say the same to you. All you ever say is ‘Bucky Bucky Bucky’, you have not listened to your friend when he says he wants to be called James, you keep pushing for ‘the good ol’ days’ when he wants to move forward you act like he’s done nothing wrong when he’s been haunted by nightmares since he woke up in Wakanda!” He sneered at the captain before James took his hand and pulled him back.

“Alright enough.” Before Rogers can say anything else, Tony moved between the two, pushing James and Loki closer to the east wing. Sam and Scott who had walked in, moved to push Rogers closer to the west wing. “Rogers go cool off, please. You’ve ruined what was probably a wonderful date.”

“Thank you.” James said softly.

“Bucky please—”

“No. No you don’t get to say please after you yell at me and my ‘fella.”

“But Buck—”

“JAMES. My name is James. Christ why can’t you listen to me!? I haven’t felt like Bucky since…since the helicarrier.”

“How can you say that you are Bucky!”

“I’m not. Not the Bucky you remember. Just like you’re not the Steve I remember.”

“Of course I am.” James scoffed.

“No. No you are not. You can’t tell me that the Steve from before would’ve done what you did…”

“But I did it for you—”

“I didn’t ask you to! So you even hear yourself?! I didn’t ask you to break the laws, I didn’t ask you to go off on your own to hunt me down…I didn’t ask you to lie. You did that all on your own.”

“What does he mean?” Sam asked. “When he said you lied?” Rogers looked panicked.

“Nothing!”

“Oh no. Not nothing. You don’t get to run from this.” James said.

“James…” Tony warned.

“They need to know the truth.” James told him, but waited for the inventor to nod. “One of the Winter Soldiers missions. December 16th, 1991.” Tony noticed Barton flinch but it didn’t sound familiar to Sam or Scott. “The mission was to extract a briefcase that held a recreated variant of the super solider serum. Any potential witnesses were to be eliminated.” James shuddered, and Tony swallowed hard. Sam started to pick up that something else was wrong. “The briefcase was being transported by Howard Stark, along with his wife Maria Stark.” Tony saw Barton pale, stepping back. “Mission was successful.” He said softly, looking down.

“It wasn’t you Bucky!”

“You knew.” Scott said, stopping James from saying anything. “Oh my god you…”

“You knew…and you didn’t tell Tony?” Sam asked.

“He didn’t know until he went to the bunker to help us with the other Winter Soldiers. Zemo had it all set up. There was…security footage.” Sam stumbled back, looking like he was going to be sick.

“I told him to go alone…as a friend…oh fuck.”

“You knew as well…” Barton said to Romanoff. At the nod Barton swallowed, voice cracking. “When did you find out?”

“During Project Insight.” Barton cursed, before leaving.

“You knew for two…whole years? And you never told Tony?!” Sam yelled.

“He would’ve killed Bucky if he knew!”

“Killed him? Jesus Steve Tony’s forgiven him!” Steve looked to Tony, eyes wide.

“What?”

“I forgave James. Long ago.” Tony said softly. Something seemed to shift in Rogers emotions which Tony has to squash quickly. “He didn’t lie to me for two years.” He looked to James who was shaking a bit, with Loki holding him slightly. “I think you should stay in our wing. I’ll let Carol and Rhodey know.”

“What? No! No he can’t stay with you!” Rogers reached out, but before he could touch Tony James pulled back from Loki and tugged the inventor out of reach.

“Don’t touch him.” James growled, shielding both Loki and Tony from Rogers. “And you don’t get a say in what I do.”

“I suggest you go back to your wing Rogers.” Stephen said, coming up to stand next to James.

“But…”

“Steve.” Sam said quietly. “Go. You’ve done enough damage.” Rogers looked between all of them, before pulling back. Romanoff put a hand on his shoulder as they left for their wing. Once they were gone everyone in the living room seemed to sag with relief. “I’m so sorry Tony.”

“If you’re trying to apologize for having me go after them it’s not your fault. No one but him and Romanoff knew.” Tony looked to James, who was trying to control his breathing. Loki came up and took his hand, bringing it up to his lips. James turned and pulled the trickster close, seeming to need that stability he brought right at that moment. “Not how I wanted your date to end.”

“Tell me about it.” James said weakly. As he pulled back they heard something clink. Stephen, who was closer looked before eyes narrowing.

“What are those?” James gave him a sheepish grin before showing what was around his neck.

“I’m sorry are those…are those dog tags? Are they your dog tags?!” Tony looked to Loki who was trying to look innocent and failing. “I told you to go to the museum to look.”

“And I did. And wouldn’t you know it I found they had something that wasn’t theirs, and realized what better gift to court James with than his dog tags that he lost?” There was a pause, before Scott and Sam started to laugh, and Stephen pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Carol’s gonna kill us.”

——

“I’m going to kill you.” It was a few days later and while Carol and Rhodey knew of what happened, they weren’t too upset about the dog tags. What Loki said was true, and he left fake tags on display instead so they wouldn’t know that anything was amiss. So it couldn’t be from that.

“What did I do?” Tony had just come into her office with some updates on some new armor he was working on for her.

“It’s not you. It’s your children. And Loki.” Tony blinked.

“I’m sorry what?”

“Friday can you pull up the video feed from yesterday?” After a pause. “You know which one.” The screen flickered on and showed one of the halls that was usually used to go from one conference room to another. Maximoff was walking alone from one end of the hall to the other when the lights flickered. She paused, looking around, before hearing a child’s voice echo through the hall as they sang. It made a shiver run up Tony's spin.

“Run rabbit, run rabbit, run, run run.

Run rabbit, run rabbit, run, run run.

Bang, bang, bang bang, goes the farmer’s gun.

So run rabbit, run rabbit, run, run run run.

The child’s voice was Mia’s while the deep voice was obviously Riven. Maximoff started to freak out, pulling open doors and screaming for whoever it was to come out.

“Ok…and Loki’s in the mix because…?”

“He’s hiding them from Maximoff. They’ve done this to Maximoff, Rogers and Romanoff. Barton just gets Mia’s giggles echoing through the corridor.” Tony tried to keep a straight face, but was failing to do so.

“I…I’m sorry?”

“They have been complaining non stop since this started.”

“I’ll talk to Riven and Ana…cause you know Mia didn’t get the brilliant idea of tormenting them like this.”

“I’ll talk to Loki.” Carol sighed. “One more meeting I’ll have to have.”

“Oh?”

“Barton hasn’t gotten back to Laura about the separation paperwork. Each time I bring them to him he gets upset but then never returns them. It’s infuriating.”

“Good luck with that then.”

That weekend was another one of Michael’s Dnd campaigns, which meant Robin came over to send the night before. Logan arrived with them right before dinner, which Tony offered the man to stay over for.

“Na, appreciate it Bub but I’ve got my own plans.” Logan turned him down. He went over to Mia who was sitting watching a movie. “Hiya squirt.”

“Hi Logan!” Mia went over for a hug, which Logan in turn picked her up for.

“Oof, you’re getting big. Soon I won’t be able to pick you up.”

“That is a lie Logan can lift Piotr!” Robin called from where they were heading to Michael’s room. Mia just giggled. Logan smiled softly, before he turned sharply to see Barton walking by to get to his wing. Ever since that night Barton had been distant from everyone, causing the west wing to feel tense. He paused to look at the TV, his features unreadable.

“Whatcha watching?” He asked quietly. Mia frowned, leaning closer to Logan.

“Robin Hood.” She answered. Tony walked over closer to Logan and Mia, watching the archer. He could see Ana come out of the kitchen and watch as well, head tilting. Something familiar crossed his face as he watched the movie.

“Oh man…I haven’t seen this in forever…use to always watch it with….with….” He blinked slowly, swallowing.

“Clint?” Tony jerked, seeing Maximoff at the doorway of their wing. “Aren’t you coming?”

“Ah…I forgot, you wanted to watch a movie. Sorry Wanda.” Barton seemed to shake off whatever just happened and left with the woman. Logan’s nostrils flared, and he growled.

“Knew that smelled familiar.”

“What smelled familiar?” Tony asked, feeling uneasy.

“Last training I thought I smelled something when walking past the witch. Smelled familiar cause one of ours, Kurt, has this neat teleportation trick he does. When he does though it leaves a distinct smell of rotten eggs. Rotten eggs smells just like—”

“Sulfur.” They all turned to Riven, who was staring at the rogues wing with wide eyes and fangs bared. “It’s sulfur. Shit.” He looked to Tony. “Call Pater. We have a serious problem.”

Notes:

....surprise?

Real quick, for those worried about what this means for the rogues and how they've been behaving you gotta trust me. Please. All will be revealed very soon, I promise.

James and Loki's date! He took him to a nice diner in Brooklyn and they walked the parks nearby. And James wore dark green, cause Loki likes a man in his colors haha. I had to look up if James actually did grab his tags or not and I couldn't find anything so...Loki got them back ;)

I can see Pepper having a bunch of nail polish and such for when she doesn't want to deal with people at the salon so she does her own nails, and she's fantastic at it haha.

The whole 'kids tormenting the rogues' was an idea I had for a little while lol. Song is called 'Run Rabbit Run' and it actually came out just before Steve and James went to war.

See you all Wednesday!

Chapter 11: "Can't you see that you're lost? Can't you see the you're lost without me?"

Notes:

Hello all! Thank you again for the love and support for this story, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Now we're gonna finally find out what the sulfur is about! And what's really going on with the rogues.

Trigger warning - bit violence and a little gory, but that's at the end of the chapter.

Title from - Circe by Ghost

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Riven wouldn’t say more about what they were talking about until Stephen and Wong came over. They had Friday on high alert and had the kids stay in the east wing where the wards were the strongest. Logan wasn’t sure about leaving Robin there however Riven pointed out,

“If it knows we’re aware it could lash out, and we’re not ready for that. For now we act like nothing is wrong and make sure there are additional wards and bindings around everyone.”

“I’ll come back after my prior engagement. Might have someone else come with to keep an eye if that’s ok.”

“That should be fine. Just…have to act natural.” Logan just snorted.

“Natural. Right.” Once he left Riven went to his room to grab some things from his ‘closet’. Said closet was actually a door to a pocket dimension he had set up. Inside was several inter-dimensional tomes and books, and different types of trinkets and items he somehow acquired including Mordo’s jar full of his knowledge. When Wong and Stephen came through a portal moments later they headed to the lab.

“Are we sure the children will be ok?” Stephen asked, worried.

“They’ll be coming down after we finish discussing what we’re dealing with. I don’t want to scare them any further.”

“And what are we dealing with Riven?” Wong asked, eyeing the tombs he had.

“A demon.” He grabbed one of the tombs and flipped through it. “Specifically one that’s possessing Maximoff, and influencing at the very least Barton.”

“And how do we know that?”

“Logan. He smelled sulfur. Before he did Barton acted off. Friday if you please?” Wong and Stephen both watched the interaction in the living room, both stock still.

“How could we have missed this?”

“No one in the compound has been in contact with them for over a year, little things can easily be forgotten. My concern is how long has it been there? And what type?”

“There are types?” Tony asked, sitting down.

“Sadly yes. Unless we know what type it is it’ll be harder to remove without any damage.”

“Sure we can’t call an exorcist?” Wong and Riven snorted, while Stephen gave a soft chuckle.

“Not quite no. If the priest is not well versed in what type all it’ll do is gain another soul to torture.”

“Joy. So how’s the quickest way we deal with this?”

“Quickest way to remove the demon would honestly kill her. And anyone who’s been influenced.” Riven said calmly, looking to Tony. Tony looked up to him, and he realized what his son was asking. If Tony wanted Riven would take care of this here and now without any remorse. He was just waiting for Tony to say so.

“No.” Stephen and Wong seemed to relax slightly. They were waiting on his response. “No killing. Not unless it’s absolutely necessary.” Riven watched, before setting down the book he had and going over to Tony. He cupped his father’s face and leaned down, resting his forehead against his.

“You are so kind…kinder than most in your position.” He spoke softly.

“I wouldn’t say that…”

“You’re right. You wouldn’t. Which is why I’m saying it for you.” He pulled back and sighed. “We need to figure out what we’re dealing with and how to move forward. Friday can you let Vision know I need to speak with him? As well as Sam?”

“Of course Riven.”

“We gonna let Sam and Scott in on our little secret?”

“Possibly. I know they’re not influenced or else they would have had a bad reaction to their bracelets.” While they waited Wong Stephen and Riven went through the different books, with Wong occasionally pulling some from the library at the Kamar-Taj. Tony got to work looking through old mission reports. “It could’ve been something she got while on a mission…best to know where they had all gone to.” Friday began pulling up the different missions they had gone to, both sanctioned and unsanctioned at the time. “Should probably let Uncle Loki and James know what’s going on.”

“Both are at New Asgard, I’ll let them know immediately.” Friday chimed in. “No movement from the west wing, although Rogers and Romanoff did just come back from a meeting with the Major and Honey-Bear.”

“Should probably alert them too…” Tony sighed. “What a mess.” They decided to wait until everyone but Sam and Scott was told what they found. Wong and Stephen continued to pour over books as Riven explained.

“Do you think that might explain how they’ve been? Going against the government, going against Tones?” Rhodey asked.

“It depends on how deep their influence is but…I don’t know. We’d have to see what exactly it is.” He sighed. “For now we need to look into any and all missions they were at to see if there was a possibility they came across anything that would’ve housed such a thing. Which means we need not only you Vision, but Sam.” Vision nodded, being quiet as he thought on everything he had just learned.

“Alright, let’s bring him and Scott down.” When the two enter the lab, they both start looking around in awe before seeing everyone else.

“Ok you guys are acting like someone died…what happened?” Scott asked.

“Not quite dying but…we do have a situation.” Riven turned from where he had his back to them, and Tony watched as both flinched away, with Scott’s jaw dropping.

“Holy shit, what’s wrong with Ana?!”

“Nothing’s wrong, just that ain’t Ana.” James said.

“What do you mean that’s not Ana that…that’s Ana!” Sam exclaimed motioning to the Realmwalker.

“Sadly you’re wrong. My name is Riven. And I am not Ana.”

“Why is your voice so deep?!” Scott whispered loudly in shock. Riven just chuckled.

“Let me explain.” After explaining what he is, Sam noticed James wasn’t surprised.

“Again? You knew something before us again?”

“I overheard Riven comforting Pete after a nightmare.”

“Ok I understand you not wanting us to know about him but why are you now bringing him to our attention?” Sam asked.

“Because something’s wrong with the others.” Carol said.

“Yeah we noticed.”

“But now there may be a reason behind it.” After hearing what Riven found, Sam thought about it. After a moment he spoke up.

“I think I know when things changed. Can you pull up the missions from before?” Screens came up with several different missions, all around the world. “This one.” It showed an old war bunker in Germany that they were looking for James at.

“I remember this one. Miss Maximoff went off on her own to search for any additional files for us to find.” Vision spoke up.

“Went off where?”

“The basement.”

“That place was creepy man. All kinds of weird runes and shit.” Sam shuddered. Riven looked to Stephen and Wong. "But after that mission any talks of Tony were met with such hate I hadn't seen before. Like I knew she didn't like you but it was just...obsessive almost."

“Right. Be back in a bit!” Stephen opened a portal and the three entered. Tony groaned. How was this his life?

“Alright, for now we act normal. Luckily you guys aren’t around them anymore so you should be safe but stay away until we know what we’re dealing with.”

It was late in the evening by the time the two sorcerer’s and the Realmwalker came back. Loki and James were in the lab with Tony, all still on edge. Loki had tripled the wards in not only their wing but the north wing where everyone else resided.

“We have good news and bad news.” Stephen said after they came in, pulling Tony into a hug. Tony instantly melted into it.

“Good news?” James asked.

“We know what type of demon it is. Apparently Hydra was trying to summon demons for their army.”

“Bad news?” Loki growled.

“It probably infected all 4 of them.” Riven pulled one of the tomes over and flipped through before handing it to Loki. He wrinkled his nose in disguest.

“What is it?” Tony peered over the tricksters shoulder but couldn’t understand the language.

“A rage demon. Specifically a parasitic rage demon.”

“What’s it do?”

“It heightens certain emotions, specifically rage and hate to the point the host self destructs, usually after destroying those around them. If it can find another who has the same level of negative emotions around its host it will begin to infest it as well, creating almost a worker demon, who's only task is to continue to feed the main demon. ”

“Ew. Wait does that mean it like lays eggs in them?”

“Almost. Think of it as a cell splitting, only it’s being housed in a body.” Tony shuddered.

“So they all could be infected.”

“Correct, although we don't know if we're dealing with only one or the others have been infected to the point of having their own demons. Problem is if the demon knows we’re on to it it can go ahead and cause severe destruction. Right now Maximoff is kept at bay from using her powers thanks to the pain it causes when she uses said magic. If the demon has nothing left to lose…”

“It’ll go ahead and unleash everything, consequences be damned.” James stated, crossing his arms. “So how do we do this?”

“We’ll need to discuss things with the masters, and try to set it up so that we can get the demon pulled out.”

“Is that possible?” Tony asked.

“Yes. But it won’t be pretty.”

——

Once they got everything figured out a week had passed. They had told Maximoff that the Masters of the Mystic Arts had reconsidered her training at the Kamar-Taj. However because of the council she could not go to the temple for the test. Instead they would set up in the training room for her to be tested.

“But how can I test with my arm broken?” She had whined to Stephen. Tony tried not to look anxious at her talking to his fiancé but it was hard. They’d pretty much avoided everyone since that night.

“We’re going to take that into consideration as the test goes on. And you will not be tested by one of us, but rather one of our top students.”

“Who?”

“Ana.” And the glare Stephen continued. “That shouldn’t be a problem right?”

“She isn’t going to judge fairly.”

“We’ll be there to watch.” Wanda seemed to think on that.

“Will the wards be lifted?”

“Yes.” Stephen could see the gleam in her eye but said nothing as she nodded.

“Ok. Let’s do it.”

The day of the training Wong, Stephen, and two newly appointed masters prepared a barrier so that any spells wouldn’t find themself flying out of control. Loki had help weaving a few extra ones that Maximoff wouldn’t know were there that would seal Maximoff and Ana inside so the demon could not try and escape. Of course she came with her entourage, all behind her.

“This is suppose to be a test for Miss Maximoff only.” Barton glared at Stephen before sneering.

“Why so you can hurt her under the pretense of ‘testing’ her? No we’ll be here to watch.”

“It’s fine Strange.” Wong said. “Stark is here to keep an eye on his daughter, so it doesn’t matter if they’re here or not.”

“Very well. We’re waiting on Ana now.” James came in with Vision, both standing near Tony. He didn’t like this. He didn’t want to risk the twins in this but in order for the plan to work it had to be them. Finally Ana came in, wearing training robes that she normally had on when at the Kamar-Taj.

“Finally. Are you ready?” Maximoff growled. Ana just tilted her head, before motioning for the square they had set up. Once inside the four sorcerers stood at each corner for the barrier.

“Remember, this is to see how strong your magic is. Nothing fatal.” Wong said, glancing at Ana. Ana just nodded, before getting into stance.

“I’ll try to go easy on you.” She said smugly. Tony cursed softly in Italian, knowing she was egging her on on purpose.

“I won’t.” Maximoff sneered.

“Ready?” Before Wong could give the go ahead Wanda lashed out, red mist instantly trying to attach itself to Ana. Ana twisted away, before using magic she had learned from Kamar-Taj.

“What? No ribbons?” Rogers asked, looking to the others.

“No, they wanted Ana to test her fairly.” Tony stated, trying to sound neutral. They continued to go back and forth, each dodging the others attack before trying to counter attack. Tony had to admit, Maximoff had gotten better in her abilities, although he wasn’t sure if it was her or the demon.

“Gotta admit, you’re doing better than I expected with the broken arm. I figured this would be a quick one and done you know?” Ana laughed. Maximoff yelled frustrated, trying again. “Come on you gotta do better than that.” Ana twisted away again, pushing herself onto the wall of the barrier before launching herself at Maximoff. That apparently was what she had been waiting for because something in her snapped and her magic rose and grabbed Ana. Ana yelled before being lifted into the air, the red magic twisting around her. It began to seep into her head.

“Now…let’s see what’s in that head of yours.” Ana started to scream, trying to escape as she looked to be in pain.

“Maximoff this is not part of the test! Drop her!” Stephen barked.

“Ana!” Tony went to go to the barrier, but was actually grabbed by Romanoff. “Let go of me she’s got my kid!” He wrenched his shoulder away from her.

“This is what she wanted wasn’t it?” Romanoff sneered. Maximoff began to walk towards Ana like a cat stalking it’s prey, smirking as she continued to twist her hand so the magic continued.

“Let’s see…” She hummed, before stopping. Her eyes widened and she paled, before jumping away. Ana stopped screaming and thrashing, only to snap her head to the witch.

“Surprise.” With a twist of his hand the magic holding Riven dispersed and he landed gracefully.

“What the fuck?” Barton’s jaw dropped.

“You…what are you?” Maximoff asked, starting to look cagey.

“Really? You can’t tell?” Riven shrugged, before turning his neck this way and that to crack it. “That’s ok. It doesn’t matter, does it?” They watched as Maximoff tensed before grabbing the cast on her arm and crushing it in her hand, pulling the plaster away. “Oooh neat. Lemme guess, wasn’t all that hurt once you started feeding?” She got into a battle stance, red magic pooling in both hands.

“You dare—” Before she could continue Riven was right there, in her personal space. Tony would have to have Friday play back what happened for Riven to get from one end of the barrier to the other. Two of Riven’s ribbons from his back grabbed her arms and twisted them behind her, before he grabbed the back of her head, pulling it back hard. The magic Maximoff had started to use shuttered before vanishing. With his other hand he pulled back and everyone watched as the black on the tips of his claws spread all the way down to his elbow before he plunged the claw into Maximoff’s chest. Instantly Rogers, Barton and Romanoff screamed, twitching slightly before launching themselves at the barrier. James grabbed Rogers by the back of the neck and threw him away from the barrier, blocking him. Romanoff and Barton were suddenly webbed by Peter, who had been on the ceiling, cloaked by Loki's magic.

“Whoa this is insane! you ok there James?” Peter asked. James had grabbed Rogers and pinned him when he tried to get past to get to the barrier. Tony noticed black veins seemed to form from their neck down as they thrashed, trying to get to Maximoff.

“Peachy. How’s Riven?!” With each struggle the veins seemed to pulse.

“Still elbow deep in Maximoff…” Tony stated, watching his son. The claw didn’t actually go through her, rather it disappeared, similar to when Riven would take knowledge from others. The skin sunk in like it was being pierced but no blood or anything. From the way Riven’s arm was moving he was digging around Maximoff’s chest, looking for something as he was elbow deep in her. Maxmioff’s mouth was slack, eyes rolled back as the Realmwalker continued to search for what he was looking for.

“Any luck Riven?” Wong asked, the masters and Loki still holding the barrier strong.

“It’s trying to hide…wait a minute.” They all watched in horror as Maximoff’s neck bulged as if something was trying to come up. “No you don’t.” Another ribbon came out and wrapped around her mouth, essentially gagging her. She began to twitch as whatever it was that was trying to leave started to get violent. Riven took the hand that held her head in place and put it around her neck, gripping it tightly, slowly pushing said bulge back down. “Almost…” He grinned. “Gotcha.” He yanked back hard and out came not only his claw but some sort of black oozing lump. The ribbons shifted the woman in their grasp so she could be turned as she started to gag.

“Oh that’s gross.” Loki said, wrinkling his nose. She began to vomit more black ooze, and even Tony felt a little sick as the thick tar like material kept coming up from her. He had to cover his nose as he was hit with a strong smell of sulfur, before his attention was on the other three Maximoff surrounded herself with. Romanoff and Rogers began to vomit as well, although no where near as much as Maximoff. Barton on the other hand…

“Shit. He was far deeper than the others.” Riven growled, seeing the archer start to convulse on the floor. “Get him to me! Vision easily lifted Barton and brought him over. He noticed something was caught in his throat, only because of the bulge. It was starting to choke him. Riven gripped the bottom of his neck before pushing up. “Turn him over so he can expel it.” Vision did as asked, and Barton vomited up a large mass of black, before vomiting more ooze like the other had. “It hasn't fully formed. Wong, Pater…I’ll need those jars now.” As soon as Riven said that the mass in his claws sprung to life, thrashing and hissing as it took an actual form.

“What the fuck.” Form wasn’t exactly the best word for what it. The mass had twisted and shuddered into what could only be described as a maggot with several long mouths that had suckers at the end, all flailing around to catch onto something. Wong and Stephen came up, pulling out the jars that Riven had used before. Riven deposited the demon in one, before grabbing the other blob of ooze and depositing in another.

“It’s over.” The rogues had passed out after expelling everything that the they had been infested them with. “We should get them to the med bay.”

“Are they gonna be ok?” James asked, hauling up Rogers. Stephen took Romanoff and Barton using his magic so he didn’t actually have to touch them. Vision picked Maximoff up, looking down at the woman who looked frail…frailer than she had before.

“Physically yes. Mentally…I don’t know. We’ll have to see.”

Notes:

Who had demons on their BINGO card? Anyone?

Again gotta reiterate you gotta trust me! I know a lot of you do not want the rogues to be just forgiven and brought back in like nothing happened at this is not what's happening I promise. Actions have consequences people, even if a demon was heightening your negative emotions and causing you to lash out more than you would have normally.

Seriously thank you all, this was hard to write cause while I had the scene in my head getting it down on paper was difficult to say the least.

See you all Friday!

Chapter 12: "In the middle of the night did you think I'd be alone, waiting patiently for you to come home?"

Notes:

Thank you guys again for so much love I truly appreciate it. Now time for the aftermaths of the demon which shout out to those who guessed it! Enjoy!

TW - dealing with the aftermaths of trauma

Title from - My Hallelujah by Autoheart

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“How’s everyone’s vitals?” Carol asked Tony as she walked over to him. They were in then hall outside of Rogers room, with Maximoff’s next door. Barton was currently being admitted while Romanoff had yet to wake from the chaos that felt like days but was only a few hours ago.

“So far so good.” He held out the tablet he had in his hand. “Rogers been given the all clear physically, Romanoff too. Maximoff and Barton…”

“They were the worse of it weren’t they?”

“Yeah. Yeah when Riven began to pull out the demon it went kicking and screaming, meaning there were some internal damage. Barton’s the same, although not as bad. He’s got a bruise forming around his neck where it wouldn’t come out.” He shuddered.

“I saw the video feed. How could we not have known something was wrong?”

“Considering how deep it was in Maximoff and then Barton it would be hard. Hell from what I heard Stephen and Wong talk about normally it would’ve given off a faint sulfur smell, but we couldn’t pick on up on that. If it wasn’t for Logan…” Carol nodded.

“Glad he was here. How’s Ana and Riven?”

“Riven’s checking on Maximoff with one of the Kamar-Taj healers now.”

“She didn’t get to Ana did she? I saw she started to use her magic on her.”

“Nope. Riven shielded her when Maximoff tried to creep into their mind.”

“Good.”

“Boss, Maximoff is awake.” Tony looked to Carol before they both entered. Her hospital bed had her sitting up, as she listened to the healer. The Sokovian looked pale and exhausted, with dark circles under her eyes he didn’t notice before. She glanced to Tony, and instantly looked down, almost…ashamed?

“Riven here would like to make sure you’re clear of any lasting effects, if that’s ok?” The healer was saying. Maximoff looked up to Riven, as if just now noticing him.

“You’re not Stark’s kid…” Her voice was rough from being abused by the demon trying to get out.

“Actually I am. But I’m not Ana.” Riven came closer, and Tony watched as Maximoff’s eyes roamed over his face.

“You’re not human.”

“No.”

“You’re not a demon are you?” For all the times Rogers talked about her being a kid, this was the one time she sounded like one. Small, and scared.

“No.” Riven huffed, before coming closer. “Can I check to make sure nothing is left?” Maximoff eyed him, before nodding. Tony watched as Riven carefully reached out, letting Maximoff see what he was doing before he touched the side of her head. Tony could see the black of his claws spread as he gently caressed her temples, digging carefully in. Maximoff didn’t really move, but didn’t show any signs of pain.

“I’ve never seen him be this careful.” Tony said softly to Carol.

“That’s surprising.” Riven pulled back looking to the healer.

“I found nothing left. She’s in the clear.” He told her, moving away from the woman in the bed.

“I’ll let Master Wong and Master Strange know.” She bowed to him. “I shall meet you in Mister Bartons room.”

“Clint? Is…is he ok?” Maximoff looked panicked.

“How much do you remember over the last 3 years?”

“I…there are some….missing parts…what did I do to Clint?” She asked, looking lost and scared.

“The demon that possessed you was starting to create a new one in Barton. While Rogers and Romanoff’s infections were minor, his was close to completion. Meaning he would’ve also been fully possessed.”

“Is he going to be ok?”

“I’m going to see that he is.” He gave her a small smile. “Get some rest.” Riven looked to Tony, tilting his head slightly before speaking in Italian.

“She said for the first time in 3 years it was quiet in her head.”

“They’re going to need therapy aren’t they?”

“Oh yes. But that’s not for you to deal with. For now I’ll see to Barton.” Carol followed Riven out. Tony turned to follow, but Maximoff spoke up.

“Stark.” He paused, before turning back to her.

“Maximoff.” She stared, eyes roaming over him like she was seeing him for the first time.

“I’m sorry.” Tony stared back, slowly blinking. “I’m sorry for what I did back in Sokovia. And for not listening to you when you were just trying to help me during the Accords. I’m…sorry for hurting you.”

“…Ok.” Maximoff nodded, before laying back further in the bed and closing her eyes. Tony waited a moment before leaving. He saw Loki come out from Rogers room, and raised an eyebrow at him.

“James is talking to him now.” Loki spoke softly. “He…he actually called him James.” Loki began to worry his lower lip between his teeth.

“What’s wrong?”

“What if…what if he convinces James to stop being with me? He’s no longer under the demon’s control…”

“If he leaves you just cause Rogers bats his baby blues I’m gonna blow his arm off. Again.” Loki snorted, but gave Tony a small smile. “This won’t change you two.”

“I hope you are right.” Tony rolled his eyes.

“Do I need to go get him?”

“No! No need I—” Loki was interrupted by James coming out of the room. “James…is everything alright?” James sighed deeply, before taking Loki into his arms.

“Told you.” Tony teased.

“Told you what?” James pulled back, looking back and forth between the two. When it suddenly clicked he cupped Loki’s face gently. “Oh Doll…I ain’t going anywhere unless you want me to. Steve ain’t gonna change that.” Loki made a soft noise before he was pulled closer again, James kissing the top of his head. Tony smiled at them, before hearing someone come up.

“Hey sweetheart.” Stephen said as he pulled Tony for his own hug, sighing. “Just got finished with the bunker.” They wanted to get everything out of that old bunker that could possibly be used for anymore demonic chaos, and the Masters wanted to actually study it to make sure no other demons crossed over to their realm.

“Good. Wong’s not gonna make you do extra work is he?”

“No. One of our Masters from the London Sanctum is an expert and knows more about demonic energies and runes so he’s going to take a look at what was found.”

“Good. I think we need to take some time off after all this.” He groaned.

“I’m not against that.”

“Friday can you let Riven and Carol know we’re heading back up? I want to check on the rest of our kids.”

“Of course boss.”

“Come on, let’s go get some cuddles.” When they made it back upstairs Peter was telling Michael what happened in the kitchen.

“It was so gross Mickey it was like exorcism level vomit, maybe even more! And the smell ugh it really did smell like something rotten I was lucky my mask had a filter that kicked on cause I think I would’ve even barfed.”

“Please no barfing in your mask.” Tony called out. He noticed Scott and Sam were there listening in as well. “But he’s not wrong it was super gross.”

“Are they ok?” Sam asked.

“…That’s a hard question to answer. Physically is a maybe, mentally probably not. You should be able to visit later if you wish.”

“So what exactly did this demon do? Was that like not Steve and the others for like last couple years?”

“Not quite.” Stephen answered, watching as Tony went over to the couch where Mia fell asleep watching a movie. “It was still them, but they had a backseat driver telling them where to go and what to do.”

“Oh…so are they like…not in trouble anymore?” Scott asked.

“That’s something the council and the leaders of the Avengers will have to discuss, along with Rivens testimony. Granted they’ll think it’s Ana giving it.”

——

Later that evening Tony was working in the lab, having made sure Mia was down for the night and checking on Michael and Peter who were playing games. Stephen was at the Kamar-Taj for a few hours, so he had time for himself. Riven was checking on the rogues once more before he’d come up. They weren’t going to be released for at least another day or two.

“Boss…you may want to check the feed from Rogers hospital room.” Friday interrupted him working on some new tech for Peters suit.

“Why?” He asked concerned.

“Because he’s talking to Riven.” Tony quickly swiped so one of his screens showed the feed from the hospital room. Rogers was sitting back albeit with the bed raised so it didn’t strain him. “Unmute.” Riven was sitting at the end of the bed, watching the former leader intently.

“You…you’re not Ana.”

“No. I’m not. My name is Riven, and you Steven Grant Rogers is someone I’ve been wanting to talk to since I heard about you from Il Babbo.”

“Il Babbo?”

“Tony.” Rogers blinked, before looking concerned.

“You’re not—”

“I’m not a demon. Maximoff already asked that. No I’m something much different. And depending on who you ask, I’m much worse.”

“What are you doing in Ana’s body then?”

“She was forced into soul-binding with me.”

“From the cult?”

“Yes.” Tony wasn’t sure why Riven was revealing himself like this.

“Oh my god.” Rogers took a breath. “Wait you mentioned you heard about me?” Riven tilted his head.

“Did you know he still has nightmares about Siberia?” Rogers flinched, jaw dropping.

“What?”

“That’s how I knew of you. He spoke of nightmares involving you and James. Mainly you. Crushing his chest in really meant you left a rather horrible impression on him.” Rogers looked down, shame clear on his face. “Did you know I don’t sleep? So while Ana does I normally take over and…let’s just say I like to learn new things. I’ve read all the mission reports Il Babbo were involved in. Including several with you and your team. Even before the demon you did not treat him kindly.” Rogers looked up and went to open his mouth, but stopped. He seemed to be thinking before shutting it. “Now. I’m willing to give you some leniency because of the infection—”

“No.” Riven raised an eyebrow. “I don’t know about the others but…you’re right. We didn’t treat Tony fairly…I…I didn’t treat Tony fairly…even in the beginning.” He sighed. “So no. No leniency.” Riven watched, and Tony knew his son’s expressions. He was intrigued.

“I’m surprised.” He hummed. “The council will be reviewing everything since you all were infected during the ‘Civil War’.”

“Danvers told me yeah.”

“No issues then?”

“No.” Riven hummed again.

“You’re not what I expected.” He stood, and began to leave. “Keep surprising me.” Tony watched as Rogers leaned back taking a deep breath.

“Plan on it.”

“Friday tell Riven to come find me.”

“Of course.” It didn’t take long before Riven entered.

“So you visited Rogers.” Riven paused, before giving him a sheepish grin.

“Wanted to see how he was doing. And to make myself known.”

“Everyone else is doing ok yeah?”

“Yeah. Laura Barton has been notified along with the council. She and her children will be here within the week.”

“That’ll be interesting. We’ll have to see what happens with that.”

“I agree. Now…” Riven got serious. “We need to talk about something very important.”

“What?”

“Halloween costumes.”

——

The rogues didn’t get out for another day, and even then Maximoff and Barton were weaker than before. The healer from the Kamar-Taj actually healed what was left of Maximoff’s broken arm since the demon had accelerated the healing then messed it up when trying to escape. It was a few days before anyone really saw them, and even then they seemed to avoid everyone else. No more snide remarks from Barton or Maximoff, no more sad looks from Rogers. Hell he actually apologized to both James and Loki.

“I’m telling you Anthony it was odd. He actually wanted to know how our date went! And then clapped James on the shoulder and left. Are we sure he’s not possessed still?” Loki was telling him as he braided Mia’s hair. The little girl was watching halloween movies, holding onto her newest plush Loki had gotten her. It was a large green snake, and she loved it almost as much as her Bruce. Bruce and her spider plush were sitting on each side of her, set up as if they were watching the movie as well. Tony took a quick photo of them before he had sat down.

“Pretty sure. I mean we can ask Riven or Wong’s friend from London.”

“May need to.” They heard movement behind them and looked to find Maximoff watching them, but not getting any closer. “Is something wrong?” He asked her.

“Oh..no. Just…never really noticed how…domestic this was with you Stark.” Tony tensed, but before he could say anything she gave him a shy almost sad smile. “It’s nice. It’s…something you deserve.” Mia turned carefully so not to mess Loki up and tilted her head. Wanda gave a small wave, before heading back to their wing.

“Ok maybe need them to be rechecked.”

“She doesn’t feel yucky anymore.” They looked to Mia. “They always felt yucky but now it’s gone. It was like thick smoke!”

“Why didn’t you say anything before?”

“Cause some people feel yucky. So I thought it was normal.” Mia shrugged. Loki and Tony looked to each other before shrugging. Not too long after they heard others come in.

“Lucy we’re home!” Rhodey called. Carol Rhodey and Ana had to testify along with Stephen and Wong in regards to what happened.

“How’d it go?”

“Everyone but Romanoff stated they did not want to use the demon as an excuse for their actions.” Tony rolled his eyes, but nodded. “And they requested to be moved to the floor they were suppose to be at in the first place.” Carol explained as she sat on the couch.

“Really?”

“Yeah. Should be by the time Laura comes in. And Barton put in his retirement request again. He’s going to be going between the compound and the farm, just like Scott does. Ankle bracelet any everything.”

“Wow…this is weird right? Is this weird? I feel like it’s weird.” Tony looked between Carol and Rhodey.

“Man it was weird for me too.” Rhodey shook his head. “Either way they’re not your problem anymore. We’re gonna move some people around here though.”

“Oh really?”

“Spread us out a bit more. Of course the east wing is still yours. But if Loki and James want to move to the west wing, or Vision they can.”

“Noooo.” Mia whined. “I want Uncle Loki and James to stay.”

"Mia." Tony said gently. "If they want to move they can. They’ll still be up here so they’re not far.” Mia pouted, but nodded.

“I’ll have to talk to James but I’d like to stay in your wing.” Loki said as he finished her hair.

“Talk to me about what?” James and Ana came in from the elevator, James instantly going to give Loki a kiss. Ana plopped down next to Tony and leaned into his side. Carol explained about the other rogues requesting their original floor.

“Carol was giving us the option to move to the west wing. Personally I like being in the east wing with Anthony and the others.”

“I’m absolutely fine with that Angel.” Mia cheered, getting up and going for a huge.

“I’m glad Uncle Loki and Uncle James can stay!” Everyone paused and looked over, James sucked in a breath looking down at the little girl.

“‘M Uncle?” He asked softly. Mia tilted her head.

“Well yeah. You’re with Uncle Loki, you’re also super nice and you feel like home…like my family.” James blinked back a few tears that formed and he picked her up, holding her close.

“Thank you Doll…I’m…I’m honored to be your Uncle.” He sniffled, smiling at her. Mia smiled back before blinking.

“Does that mean you’d like me and Uncle Loki do your hair?” James paused before laughing.

“Sure thing sweetheart.”

——

Sadly even with everything going well, there would still be bad nights. This was one such bad night. Mia had a nightmare so bad she wanted both Tony and Stephen.

“Why don’t you stay in here with Papa while I make some hot chocolate hm? Once you calm down you can come to the living room for some shark videos yeah?” Mia nodded as she clinged to Stephen, sniffling wetly into his neck. Stephen just kissed her temple as he held her close.

“I’ll probably have her change before we come out.” Stephen said softly. The poor girl was soaked in cold sweat and tears. Tony nodded before giving a kiss and heading to the kitchen. Friday alerted him that someone was in there with a soft charm, but in his sleep addled brain it didn’t register the tone to be a warning for —

“Rogers?” Tony blinked. The super solider was sitting at the kitchen table, holding a cup of something warm as he could see some steam coming from the mug. Tomorrow they’d be in their new floor so it was odd to see him out.

“Oh…hey Tony.” The man looked exhausted. Dark circles hadn’t fully gone away since he was released almost a week ago. “Sorry I’ll get out of your hair.”

“You’re fine…just making some hot cocoa.” Tony started to get everything together.

“Nightmare?” He nodded. “Was…was it Siberia?” He said it softly. Tony paused, before shaking his head.

“Not mine. Mia had a bad one.” Steve nodded.

“…Can I talk to you? This might be the last time I get a real good chance. We don’t…have to have an actual conversation I just…want you to hear me out.” Tony looked to Steve, taking in how worn he looked.

“Sure.” He gave the mechanic a grateful smile.

“I wanted to apologize.” He wasn’t expecting that. “I’m sorry I never told you about Howard. That was horrible of me. I should have told you as soon as I found out.”

“Oh.”

“And I wanted to apologize for not listening to you about the accords…and about Wanda…and about Fury on the Hellicarier and—”

“Rogers.” Tony interrupted. “I get it you’re sorry—”

“I fucked up.” Tony’s head snapped to him. “I fucked up so badly and I am so sorry. Nothing I can say will ever make up for what I did.” Tony…didn’t know what to say to that. Not many people actually apologized to him for screwing him over.

“I mean you were possessed—” He tried to play it off but Rogers interrupted again.

“I was a horrible friend even before the demon.” And wasn’t that the truth?

“Why are you apologizing now?” Rogers sighed, looking up to the ceiling as if that would have the answers.

“Because I was made aware of how horrible I had been to you.”

“Riven?”

“Yeah…and Rhodey. And James.” Tony blinked at him. He had heard that Rodgers was now actually listening to James's request but to hear it is weird. “I don’t expect you to forgive me, or to welcome me back in with open arms but…if there was a way to salvage this relationship I would…like that.” Tony turned back to the hot cocoa he was making, thinking. Did he want to have Rogers around again? He’ll admit, he missed the blonde but…he didn’t want to get hurt again.

“I…I think I’ll have to think on it.”

“That’s more than I hoped for Tony.” They both paused at hearing shuffling nearly the doorway.

“Daddy?” Mia was rubbing one of her eyes, which was still red and puffy from crying.

“Hey princess, I’m sorry I was taking too long. I had to talk to Mr. Rogers.” Mia padded over and Tony picked her up, adjusting her to be on his hip while he continued to make the hot cocoa. Mia shifted and dropped Bruce who she was holding, and whined. Rogers came over and picked him up, holding him out to her. Mia took the shark, and reached out to touch Rogers hand. Other than James she was still careful about touching anyone else. She tilted her head and hummed.

“You’re really sad.” Rogers blinked, looking to Tony.

“She’s an empath.” Rogers nodded.

“Yeah. Yeah I’m really sad.” He spoke softly to her.

“Why?”

“I hurt someone who I considered a friend.” Mia hummed.

“One time I said something to Sarah that hurt her feelings, and I said sorry. Did you say sorry?”

“I did.”

"Then you did good.” She nodded. “As long as you mean it.”

“I do…mean it.”

“Good.” She yawned before snuggling closer. "I hope your friend forgives you." Rogers gave another sad smile.

“I’ll get out of your hair…night Mia, I hope you don’t have anymore nightmares.”

“Night Mr. Rogers. I hope you don’t as well.” At the look curious Tony gave him, Rogers seemed to blush.

“Yeah…I’ve been having them more recently. Anyways, night guys.” Once he left Mia looked to Tony.

“He feels lonely.” Tony took a sharp breath.

“He really hurt his friend, and in doing so isolated himself.” At the confused look Tony explained. “He made it so no one would trust him, meaning he’d be alone.”

“Oooh. Hopefully his friend understands and accepts his apology.”

“Trust is hard to get back.” Mia just nodded.

"I think it'll be ok."

"Yeah munchkin...I agree."

Notes:

We actually got an apology. Holy shit. And respect on boundaries? Yes I did do that. Now with that again, doesn't mean they're gonna be welcome back with open arms. Trust that's been broken is hard to get back, like Tony said.

And of course James is now an Uncle he's always with Loki! Welcome to the family. :)

Also all Mia could feel was that they felt yucky. Which given how they acted she assumed they just were yucky people. She wouldn't have known about demons.

See you all Monday!

Chapter 13: "I was just an only child of the universe, and then I found you. And then I found you."

Notes:

ooooooooomg you guys! So awesome with your love! Thank you. Now, let's get some fluff on! Figured you guys would deserved some domesticity.

 

Title - Last of the real ones by Fall Out Boy

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It was getting closer to Halloween, and Tony felt this year might be even better than the last. When Ana and Peter came up with the idea on their ‘theme’ Tony just kept laughing. He would’t tell Stephen who was dressing as who because he thought it’d be amazing to see his expression. He at least told Stephen he wanted to dress up as a surgeon, which made the man laugh and ask,

“Does that means I gotta borrow a pair of sunglasses and a gauntlet?”

“I mean you could. Get you one of my favorite suits, red sunglasses and make a small gauntlet that wouldn’t hurt your hands.” Tony took his fiancé’s hand, gently caressing the scars causing the sorcerer to shiver.

“What about the kids?”

“Hm?”

“Their costumes?”

“That’s a surprise.” Tony leaned in and gave him a chaste kiss.

“Ew.” Tony turned to give a mock glare at his son over the couch where they were cuddled up.

“'Scuse me, we’re having a moment here. What’s up bambino?” Michael rolled his eyes.

“Can Maggie come over?” The girl had been over more and more thanks to tensions in her house. Anytime Tony tried to pry anything from Michael his son just sighed sadly. “She won’t tell me anything. But I can tell when it gets to be too much for her. All I can do is be there for her when she’s ready to tell me what’s up.” He was proud of the boy who was once shy and timid, now ready to stand up for not only himself but his friends.

“Sure. You guys gonna talk about your own costumes?” Michael blushed but nodded. Interesting. “Is Robin going for the same theme?”

“Oh! No they wanted to do something different. I guess a few others from the school are gonna join them.” He seemed disappointed. Also interesting.

“But they’ll be joining us still?” They were going to have a big halloween party at the compound, where the kids could invite their friends from school, along with some of Xaviers kids were coming, Cassie was coming to visit and even Barton’s kids would be there. He hadn’t seen much of the archer, mainly because he kept his head down near Tony. When Ana met Laura the first time the woman thanked her and hugged her tightly. Barton had broken down and apologized to Laura for leaving and swore once this threat was over he’d be done. Had Carol verify he could no longer be a part of the Avengers after everything. And as much as Laura wanted to stay mad she saw the footage from the ‘exorcism’ as Tony called it, and the bruise still on Barton’s throat.

“Yup!” Michael hugged Tony before hugging Stephen. “I’m gonna go with Happy to pick up Maggie!” Tony waved him off before getting comfortable against Stephen again.

“Speaking of our kids friends, when is Mia suppose to go to her friends birthday party?”

“This next weekend. You’re still gonna do the spell right?”

“Of course.” When they told her they could do a small spell to make it so no bad dreams came through Mia was ecstatic. Stephen didn’t like using such mental magic, and after being found out last year he didn’t do it to himself either. Wong had also warned of prolonging effects of using such magic. But once in a while so she could enjoy a birthday sleepover like any normal kid was fine. “Did you want me to come drop her off to?”

“You can. You haven’t talked to Rem much have you?” Besides their first meeting at the kindergarten Stephen really didn’t interact with them.

“No…I’m…not good with small talk.” Stephen groaned. “You know this.”

“I know I know.” Tony chuckled. “I find it cute.”

“Most would find it rude.” Stephen huffed.

“Good thing I’m not most.” He chuckled. “Also Rem isn’t good at it either from what I can tell. And if anything goes wrong where she needs us there quickly you’ll know where to portal in at.” Stephen hummed, nodding.

“Sounds like a plan.” Not too long after that Michael comes back up with Maggie, both talking about one of the classes they shared.

“Hi Maggie!” Tony waved to her.

“H-Hi Tony.” Maggie smiled shyly at him. Tony noticed her hair was shorter than the last time he saw her. She had started to have what would’ve been a normal length but…looked like someone chopped it all off. Stephen looked to see what got Tony’s attention before his eyes zeroed in on something.

“Maggie…what’s that on your arm?” Tony noticed it too. Bruises. Not in any shape really but still.

“Oh! This is from tae kwon do class.” Tony’s eyes dart to Michael, who’s looking at it as well, before he looks to his friend.

“When?” Michael and Maggie were in the same class for tae kwon do. It’s how they got even closer as friends.

“O-oh this is was from Maser Dewitt, when he was coaching me.” Michaels eyes narrowed, but didn’t say anything else. The two left for Michael’s room, and Tony looked to Stephen.

“Sure I can’t hack her parents and find out what’s going on?”

“No…we can only do what Michael does. Keep an eye on her.” Stephen didn’t look happy either but knew their hands were tied. If they tried to report anything without evidence it could cause trouble, so for now they had to wait and see.

——

“Ok you’ve got Bruce, your pjs, your sleeping bag, your shark pillow, and your special blanket. Anything we’re missing?” Tony was going over the checklist.

“Sarah’s present!” Mia exclaimed, going back to her room. They got her a black cat plush. Mia told Tony and Stephen her favorite animal is a black cat because of her favorite book, and while she probably had a bunch of cat plushies Mia picked that one because it had big blue eyes. They had it put in a party bag with different halloween colored paper on the top. “Sarah loves Halloween cause it’s only a week after her birthday.” Is what Mia told them.

“Alright got it munchkin?” Mia nodded to Tony. “Shall we?” He asked Stephen, who nodded. Tony had been slowly getting him use to being in a car again. He trusted Happy enough to let himself be driven, although longer trips are still off the table. For now. Tony and Mia kept Stephen’s mind off being in the car by talking with him, Mia specifically holding his hand. He was wearing his gloves Tony got him for his birthday last year so the toddler gripping his hand didn’t hurt him at all. They arrived at Rem’s house and Tony whistled lowly. It was a big colonial styled house, with a big backyard, all gated. Already he could see camera’s around the property, and when they got out he could see even more around the house.

“Wooooow.” Mia exhaled as she looked at the house.

“She did say she had security.” After they entered the gate the front door opened and Sarah came running out.

“Mia Mia Mia!” The little blonde girl bounced around. “Hi Mr. Stark and Doctor Strange!” She waved at them.

“Hi Sarah, happy birthday. And you can call us Tony and Stephen.” Sarah smiled shyly before taking Mia’s hand and leading them into the house.

“First you gotta say hi to Crowley.” Sarah said seriously. Before Tony could ask who that was he froze as a big black dog came into view. It looked like a German Shepard, and had the same eyes that Azir had. It stood and came over slowly, head lowered as it seemed to stalk over to them. “Crowley!” Sarah called. The dog continued to come closer, before sniffing Sarah and butting his head against her hip. “You gotta let Crowley smell you so he knows your guests.” Mia held out her hand, and Tony tensed, unsure as to how friendly this dog was. Crowley sniffed Mia’s hand, before giving it a lick. He then turned to Tony and Stephen.

“You know normally I’m not scared of dogs but…he’s kinda terrifying.” As he gave out a weak laugh Rem came into the front hall where they were at.

“Hey, sorry I wasn’t out here to warn you. Was getting one of Sarah’s guest set up with her stuff.” Rem said apologetically. “I see you’ve met Crowley.” Even relaxing in their home Rem still had a punk look to them. Worn out band shirt, black ripped jeans and a chain with a padlock around their neck. Only thing different is instead of their boots they had house slippers. 


“Yeah…he doesn’t bite right?” Tony did was Mia had done, letting the big black dog sniff him. Once he did so he licked his hand before going to Stephen. Crowley actually sneezed when smelling Stephen, and looked like he was giving Stephen a bit of a glare before licking him.

“Not unless I tell him to.” Rem said in all seriousness. “It's also why we have anyone who comes in get scented. So he knows who’s friend and who’s…not.”

“Jesus you weren’t kidding about security huh.” Tony laughed.

“Nope. Got Crowley and Azir the same time. One’s my service dog and one’s my guard dog.”

“Are you sure they’re from the same litter?” Stephen asked, watching as Crowley walked over to sit next to Sarah, licking her face before yawning big. The canines on him were worrisome.

“Yeah.” Rem chuckled. “But Crowley’s a big softie. Sarah why don’t you show Mia where she can put your birthday gift?”

“Okay!” Sarah took Mia’s hand and pulled her along to where they could hear other girls talking and giggling.

“I’ll show you where she can put her bag.” Rem motioned for them to come into the living room. “Does Mia have any type of allergies or anything?”

“No, no allergies. Although we do want to warn you about her jewelry.” Rem paused, and looked to him raising an eyebrow.

“Ok…?”

“Mia’s an empath. She can feel peoples emotions. Her necklace dampens that effect so she’s not overwhelmed. We just ask you make sure that doesn’t come off, along with her bracelet. It’s got several spells on it as well.” Stephen spoke up, crossing his arms. “Also, if anything happens would it be ok if I portal onto your property? With Crowley I understand not doing it in the house…” Rem blinked, before laughing.

“Let’s not have my dog bite you cause you magicked yourself into my house, yeah?” Stephen chuckled, nodding. “You guys staying for cake? Some parents are still here but there are those that just drop and bail.” Tony chuckled at their phrasing.

“Yeah we’ll stay, if that’s ok?”

“Course.” The rest of the party was actually pretty fun, with Tony taking a few pictures along with Rem, who promised to get some to Tony later on. When Sarah got to Mia’s gift she gasped and cuddled it close.

“Rem! It’s a cat!” She whispered loudly. “Like the one I want…” The look she gave Rem meant this was an ongoing discussion. Rem raised an eyebrow.

“It is. Did you say thank you to Mia?” Rem apparently wasn’t going to budge on whatever silent conversation they were having. Sarah pouted, but quickly turned around and hugged Mia.

“Thank you Mia!”

“What’re you going to name him?” One little girl asked.

“Cat.” Rem snorted, and tried to cover it with a cough.

“Cat?”

“Cat.” Sarah said seriously.

“Maybe later Cat and Bruce can play!” Mia said brightly. Other girls started to offer their own stuffed animals for a playdate. Tony leaned over to Rem and said quietly.

“I take it there’s a story to that?”

“Her favorite book.” Tony nodded, completely understanding. “Can I ask why she has a shark named Bruce?”

“Jaws.” Is all Stephen said. Rem chuckled. “I’m curious, Sarah mentioned an older brother?”

“Ah. Toby. He’s at a friend of his house. It’s too much for him with this many people.”

“Understandable.” Once cake and presents were done parents started to make their way out. Stephen pulled Mia close, whispering the spell for her to have a dreamless sleep before Tony hugged her close.

“Rem said they’d call if you need anything, so make sure to tell them if you need us ok?”

“Ok Daddy. I’ll tell them. I love you! I love you Papa!” It wasn’t until they got home that Tony felt uneasy about Mia being gone.

“Are we sure she’ll be ok? Maybe we should—”

“Love.” Stephen interrupted. “She’ll be fine. We now know how Rem will protect her, I’ve got all the different tracking spells and wards on the bracelet and necklace, she’ll be ok. Promise.” Tony pouted, but Stephen just kissed the pout away. “Come on, let’s try to relax and enjoy tonight. Michael’s over at Robin’s, Peter with Ned and Ana went with Loki and James to New Asgard to look as some of their ‘attractions’ the Asgardians are working on. We’ve got the wing to ourselves.” He gave him a sultry grin. “Let’s enjoy it.” Tony just hummed, allowing his fiancé to drag him to their bedroom.

——

“I know we joked about me wearing one of your suits but you did not need to spend the money on getting me a custom one.” Stephen complained, and Tony would take him seriously if it wasn’t for the silly grin he had as he ran his hands down the arms of his jacket.

“Why not? You look amazing baby. I need to dress you up more often.” Tony teased, coming out of their walk in closet in green scrubs. Stephen looked to him and started to laugh, having not seen him before they started getting ready.

“Oh I’m so glad you weren’t in the hospital when I was.”

“Why?”

“Cause I wouldn’t have gotten anything done.” Stephen reached out and pulled the inventor closer, kissing him deeply. “I would’ve been too busy ogling you.”

“Did you seriously say ogle?”

“Did you seriously complain about me saying ogle?” They stared at each other a moment more before cracking up.

“You guys done in there?” Ana called from the hall. “Maggie just arrived so we’re all ready.” Stephen shook his head before taking Tony’s hand and heading out to the living room. When they arrived Stephen stared, before starting to laugh.

Everyone was dressed as different Avengers.

Notes:

*hides* I know I keep fading to black on the smut but any time I try to write it it doesn't come out right! I was thinking about having a side story with all the sexy times I cut out though.

Also can't wait for you to see what everyone's dressed up as!

See you on Wednesday!

Chapter 14: "I got this feeling, yeah, you know. Where I'm losing all control. 'Cause there's magic in my bones."

Notes:

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to share their love of this story whether it be from kudos bookmarks or comments. You make my day each time. Also I'm really glad people like Rem and their kids, they're actually from a story I'm going to be writing during NANOWRIMO that's coming up. Which means that I will be cutting down the amount of chapters I write a week in November, but we'll get to that next month.

Title - Bones by Imagine Dragons

Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

To see his kids dressed as different Avengers honestly was the best thing. Mia was holding her spider plush as she was dressed as Spider-Man, while Peter was dressed in an Iron Man costume. Ana was dressed as Carol in her ‘Captain Marvel’ outfit, and MJ to Stephen’s delight was dressed as the sorcerer himself. She had painted on a goatee and her cloak actually fluttered, which Tony knew was from Ana’s spell. Ned was dressed as the Hulk, and he had to hope that green would come off. What really made Tony smile was Michael and Maggie. Michael was dressed as James in his 'Winter Solider’ gear, while Maggie was dressed as Loki.

“You guys…look amazing!” Stephen picked Mia up when she came over, laughing a bit at how cute she was.

“You’re not bad yourself Doctor.” MJ smirked, but before Stephen could respond she continued. “I meant him.” She nodded to Tony, who just snickered.

“One more thing for you guys though.” Ana said, before touching Tony’s face. He could feel the spell slide onto his face, having already given permission for his daughter to do it. After nodding to him she went over to Stephen and did the same, and Tony grinned at seeing his signature goatee now on his lovers face. Stephen looked to him and blinked slowly.

“You can never shave.” He pulled a mirror out of nowhere and showed Tony who looked completely naked without a single hair on his lower face.

“Yeah….yeah this is weird. But you didn’t have any hair back then sooooo.”

“So you had us dress up as each other? Stephen teased.

“It was Ana and Peter’s idea. They saw some costumes of ‘The Avengers’ and thought why not have them all dress as one?” Stephen chuckled at that.

“Wait they don’t have costumes of me do they?” He looked to MJ bewildered.

“Nope, got some robes from the Kamar-Taj, and had Aunt Hope help with the cloak.” Ana laughed. “She and Aunt Carol helped with Michaels, and Uncle Thor helped with Maggie’s.” Maggie smiled, a little more confident. She looked good, especially since she had green eyes like the mage. Speaking of said mage he and James came in from the elevator and stopped, staring. Apparently they weren’t in on the costumes either, because Loki zeroed in on Maggie.

“My dear…you look amazing.” He went over, touching her shoulders. “Where did you get this?”

“M-Mr. Thor. Do you like it?” She sounded so hopeful, for what Tony wasn’t sure.

“I love it. Although, you’re wearing a wig aren’t you?” At the nod Loki hummed. “May I?” Again she nodded, and he carefully took said wig off, before carding his hand through her short hair. She gasped as while he did so her hair grew to the appropriate length and turned black, like his. “Now if you feel uncomfortable with this—” He was cut off by her hugging him tightly.

“Thank you! Oh my god thank you!” Michael smiled brightly as his friend pulled back, eyes shining with happy tears.

“My pleasure. James what do you think of our little Loki?” He turned to his boyfriend, who was grinning like mad.

“She looks amazing. Michael you look good too, how’d you find all this?”

“Aunt Carol and Aunt Hope.” Michael laughed. “Basically looked at your gear and got things close to it, but Dad made a mock up of your arm. I used your new one though.” James looked proud.

“Are you guys coming to the party?” Peter asked.

“We are not, James and I are going to be introduced to some horror cinema, per Ana’s recommendation.”

“But you guys have fun, and share some candy with us!” James said, laughing. Loki looked to Maggie.

“My magic will disperse before you have to go home, so you won’t have to worry about it, alright?” Maggie nodded, super happy.

“Thank you again Mr. Loki!”

——

“I gotta say, this surprise was amazing.” Stephen told Tony as they watched their kids as they enjoyed themselves at the party.

“I thought you’d get a kick out of it. It’s why I didn’t say anything about it.” He took a drink of his cider. Some of the staff from the compound were there with their kids, and it looked like the different party games they had set up were a hit. A lot of people loved their costumes, meaning a ton of pictures were taken. Mia stuck with Peter as always, until she saw Sarah and Rem come in. She ran over and hugged her friend, before dragging her to where Peter and MJ were waiting to help carve pumpkins. Rem waved to Tony, making their way over with Azir. Next to them was a boy around Michael’s age dressed in what looked like dark clothes that reminded Tony of goths he saw back in the 80s. Tony noticed Rem was wearing a black tank with a silver necklace, their normal black jeans and boots and both looked pale thanks to their makeup.

“Tony, Stephen.” They nodded to the two. “Nice Halloween Party. Sarah has been talking about it since Mia invited her.” They chuckled. The boy next to them seemed to stick closer to Rem now that they were in front of the two Avengers. “This is Toby. Toby, this is—”

“Tony Stark. And Stephen Strange.” He mumbled it, almost hiding behind Rem. Rem pulled him to stand in front, both hands on his shoulders as if to keep him stable. He seemed to relax in their hold. “Hi.”

“Hiya Toby. Glad to finally match a face to a name.” Tony smiled at the boy. He blinked up at him with the same brown doe eyes Sarah had, before looking to Rem.

“You talked to him about me?”

“I talked to him about you and Sarah. And you know how your sister is when it comes to you. She always talks about you to her friends.” Toby flushed but nodded. “Do you want to stay with me or do you want to go talk to some of the other kids?” Toby bit his lip before leaning back into Rem. “With me, got it.”

“What are you dressed as Toby?” Stephen asked, and Toby swallowed before speaking up.

“Dream. And Rem’s Death.”

“From a comic we love.” Rem chuckled. “Sarah’s dressed as Coraline. Have you started reading that to Mia?” During the sleepover the girls watched the movie Coraline, and Sarah let Mia borrow her copy of the book so Tony and Stephen could read it.

“Yes, she adores it. And I now know why she named her stuff cat Cat.” Tony chuckled, watching as Mia and Sarah got help from Peter and MJ with their pumpkins. Sarah had come in holding said plush close to her yellow raincoat.

“Yeah. She’s been begging for a kitten since we moved here.”

“Michael has a pet tortoise, and we have a fish tank for Mia.” Stephen said, smiling as he watched Michael and Maggie both talk to some of the other kids around them.

“Oh yeah?”

“Mhm. Raphael and most of Mia’s fish are either Jaws or Finding Nemo named.”

“Raphael? Like TMNT?” Toby spoke up.

“Yeah. Michael’s a huge fan.” Stephen pointed out his son. Toby bit his lip again, looking up to Rem.

“Why don’t you take Aziraphale over there? I’ll be ok here, promise.” Toby seemed to think on it before nodding. He took Aziraphale’s leash and went over to to the other teens. Tony then noticed the service vest the dog was wearing had little angel wings sticking out on the back.

“Good Omens right?” Stephen asked.

“Yeah. Yeah Good Omens.”

“Should’ve known with a dog named Crowley.” Tony looked lost.

“My dogs are named after my favorite book. It’s by the same author as Coraline. I’m a bit of fan and may have corrupted my kids.” Rem smiled with such fondness that Tony wondered if he looked like that with his kids. They watched as Toby went over to say hi, and Michael instantly smiled and talked with him about something that made the other boy start to come out of his shell. Tony scanned the crowd before noticing Logan, Jean, and a few of the other X-men coming in with students. He snickered before leaning over to Stephen.

“Found out what Robin’s secret costume was.” Stephen looked over and barked out a laugh. Robin along with three other kids Tony knows Michael’s talked to before were all dressed as the turtles, with Robin dressed as Mickey. What made Stephen laugh was that they somehow got Logan to dress as Shredder. Michael saw Robin and Tony watched as he blushed a bit, a big goofy grin on his face as he waved them over. Toby looked nervous as he saw the new kids but once he saw the costumes he seemed to relax. Aziraphale leaned heavily against the boy and he seemed to relax even more with his weight against him.

“I’m gonna go grab some juice.” Rem waved as they left, just as Logan came up.

“So who bribed you?” Tony teased. Logan just growled, crossing his arms.

“They managed to get Jean to be April.” He looked to the woman who was helping some of the younger children over to some of the different party games. Scott was standing next to her as Casey Jones. “And don’t get me started on the begging they did for Scott.”

“Please tell me you took plenty of pictures.”

“Oh yeah. A ton of them.” He chuckled. “Love your costumes by the way. Who’s idea?”

“Ana and Peters.”

“I didn’t even know.” Stephen snorted. “Best surprise ever.”

“Yeah when Mickey asked Robin they felt bad they couldn’t do it cause they had this planned. Pretty sure our little bird has a crush.”

“Pretty sure Michael does too. But I also think he might have a crush on Maggie. Which…that can be messy.”

“It can be.” Logan hummed. “Also can’t be. Just gotta make sure everyone’s on the same page if you’re gonna do that.”

“Do what?”

"Polyamory.” Tony raised an eyebrow. “You act like that’s not a thing.”

“No I know it’s a thing I just…I don’t want anyone hurt.”

“If they keep their lines of commutation open there shouldn’t be any hurt. But for all we know we’re speculating.” They all watched as Michael laughed at something Robin said, and Maggie watched the two of them fondly. “I’d talk to him first.” Tony nodded, thinking a bit. “Well I’ll be damned.” Logan said, causing Tony to look to the entrance. Maximoff had just entered, with Vision following her. While they weren’t as close as they were before everything, they were taking their friendship one day at a time. Trust had to be built back, but they were trying.

“I didn’t expect them to come down.” Stephen said softly. Maximoff was dressed as a witch, with Vision dressed as an old fashioned robot.

“How’s everyone been since that?” Logan asked.

“Good. Barton’s over there.” Tony motioned to where the Barton’s were bobbing for apples, with Barton dressed as Robin Hood. “He’s getting better. Slowly. I haven’t seen Romanoff recently.” He shrugged.

“I spoke with Cap the other day. He’s started seeing a therapist.” Stephen looked to Tony with an impressed look. “I know what she—it—did to them really messed with them all.”

“Yeah. And we wouldn’t have known if it wasn’t for you. Thank you.” Stephen smiled at the shorter man.

“Anytime bub. Now, if you’ll excuse me…” Logan threw them a smirk. “I gotta go beat Scotty in pumpkin carving."

——

“Did you guys have fun?” Stephen was asking as the kids all got ready for bed. Mia was worn out, spending all her time going back and forth between her siblings and her friends, already in her PJ’s and dozing on his shoulder.

“Yeah…we should have Halloween more often.” Mia mumbled into his neck. Stephen huffed a laugh before kissing her forehead.

“Say goodnight love bug.” Mia called out goodnight to the other as Stephen went to put her down for bed. Tony looked over to watch as Ana and Peter got blankets and pillows out, while Ned, MJ and Robin went to change. Michael was getting popcorn and drinks, having already changed. Maggie still wasn’t allowed to spend the night but they saw her off with her hair back to normal. Tony went into the kitchen to have a little chat.

“Hey Bambino?”

“Hm?” Michael looked up from where he was grabbing some candy for everyone.

“I wanted to talk to you real quick. And I want you to know that whatever you say I’m not going to judge you, ok?” Michael have him an weird look. “Are…you interested in someone?” Michael flushed.

“Y-Yeah…well…kinda?” He sighed as he leaned against the counter. “Promise you’re not gonna be weirded out?”

“Not at all sweetheart.”

“I like Maggie. But not like…like? Like I like her a lot. But I don’t know if I want her to be my girlfriend. I like her being my friend. But I also really like Robin. And I don’t know if I want them to by my partner either. I just….like them both so much you know?” Tony leaned against the counter next to his son, putting his arm around him. Michael leaned against him.

“You know how I always tease your Uncle Rhodey?”

“Yeah?”

“When we met in college I really liked him. I’ve always known I liked more than just girls, and Rhodey was just so easy to be around. I knew he was straight, but I still cared so deeply for him, to the point many on campus thought we were dating. But we weren’t. We’re just really close. Soulmates even. Granted platonic but not the point.” Michael snickered. “Point is if you really care about both of them you need to let them know. Make sure everyone’s on the same page.” Michael nodded.

“I don’t think I could pick between them.” Tony hummed.

“Pretty sure you’re too young for a partner either way.”

“What?!” He squawked. “Peter has a girlfriend!”

“Peter’s older than you.”

“Not fair!” Tony laughed, and Michael laughed after realizing Tony was just messing with him.

“You’re mean.”

“No I’m amazing. Now, go get your popcorn ready.” He kissed the side of Michael’s head before heading out to the living room.

——

The next few weeks seem to go by quicker than Tony expected. While he was working on Stephen’s birthday present, they were all getting ready for Carol to leave. She was going to go to Xandar as originally planned, meeting up with the guardians afterwards to make sure everything was in check for the stones to be blocked. Rhodey wasn’t taking it well, not wanting his girlfriend to be gone for so long on such a dangerous mission.

“When she gets back I’m proposing.” He admitted the night before she left.

“I’ll help you pick out a ring.” Tony hugged his best friend.

“Speaking of rings how’s Stephen’s gift?” Tony pulled said gift out of his locked desk that they were at down in the lab. In a small box was a golden bracelet, with different intricate runes on them. It was thanks to Riven that said runes were available for Tony to etch into the metal, which was made of nanites so it would shift in size so it wouldn’t hurt Stephen’s wrist.

“Just finished the holotech on it.” Tony put it on and showed Rhodey how a ring appeared on his ring finger. “How’s it look?” It wasn’t until Rhodey actually touched the ring that they could tell it wasn’t there.

“Amazing. He’s gonna love it.”

“I hope so. We’ve got reservations at this really nice seafood restaurant that Stephen had been eyeing recently and I’m gonna give it to him there. Did you see the gems?” If Stephen could get space stones for Tony, Tony could get magical stones for Stephen. Riven and Loki had forged the green stones that were around the bracelet, giving them the same glow as the time stone Stephen always had around his neck. Rhodey whistled low.

“Very nice. I’m really happy for you man.”

“Thanks…I am honestly really happy. Happy with Steph, happy with the kids…just wish we didn’t have this impending threat in the horizon.”

“Me neither. But we’ve got a plan, we’ve got alliances…we’re gonna make it through this.”

“I hope you’re right.” That night while Tony and Stephen were in the living room, Michael came in frustrated. He had been in his room talking with Maggie.

“Everything ok?” Stephen asked, noticing his son first.

“No? Maggie’s been acting off. I don’t know what’s up but she had to talk really quiet while talking to me.”

“Her parents still giving her a hard time?” When the pictures of the kids from Halloween came out Maggie’s dad and step mom were upset. She wasn’t able to come over anymore, usually with some weird excuse. When Tony tried to talk to them they made it clear it wasn’t because of Michael or his family, just that Maggie was grounded for one reason or another.

“Yeah. She was really tired in class today so I wanted to make sure everything was fine.”

“No more bruises?”

“No more than what we get from practice.” He sighed. “I just…wish I could help her you know?”

“I know sweetheart.” Tony got up from where he was sitting and pulled Michael into a hug. “Like I said, we gotta make sure she knows she’s not alone ok?” Michael nodded. “Wanna watch a movie with us?” Michael nodded again, and Tony cuddled his youngest son with Stephen on the other side of the boy. Stephen gave him a look, which Tony nodded at. He pulled out his phone and shot a quick text to Victoria, to see if there was anything they could do since they suspected something was up.

——

“You really went all out this year sweetheart.” Stephen chuckled as they were seated at their table. It was Stephen’s birthday dinner, with the family having celebrated the night before.

“Of course. It’s your special day.” Tony winked at him. Stephen chuckled, reaching over and taking Tony’s hand.

“It’s only special cause I spend it with you.”

“Sap.” Tony teased, but watched as Stephen kissed said hand. “I love you.”

“And I love you.” They spent most of the dinner talking about what they were planning on doing for Thanksgiving, and Christmas, about the different training they’d have to do now that Carol was gone, and Stephen’s newest student. Maximoff.

“I’m surprised they wanted to have her come.” Tony said as he took a sip of his wine.

“Well it’s better to have her powers under control now that she’s no longer possessed. Plus we want to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

“Is she going to stay at the Kamar-Taj?”

“She’ll have her own room there yes. But she’s required to be monitored by either Wong or myself while she’s there per the council’s request. Otherwise she's still at the compound.”

“Joy. Wait does that mean you’ll be away more?”

“No. No more than I already am.” Tony relaxed. He hated when Stephen wasn’t home. It felt off not having his fiancé there. Speaking of fiancé…

“I got you something.” Stephen put down his glass of wine that he was just sipping, raising an eyebrow.

“You didn’t have to.”

“I know. But I wanted to give this to you now instead of later…” Tony pulled out the box, sliding it over. Stephen blinked, before opening it. “Now we talked about how to get around you having a ring, and so I made this. With help mind you.” Stephen carefully took out the bracelet, examining the different runes and the stones. “Put it on.” Stephen slipped in on and gasped softly as it shifted to fit his wrist perfectly. “Now tap the top gem.” When he did so the holotech activated at Stephen stared down at the matching ring on his finger.

“Anthony…” He whispered in awe, looking up to the inventor. He loved seeing that look on Stephen. That pure adoration he had on his face made him feel like he could do anything. “You keep one upping yourself each year.” Stephen chuckled weakly, blinking back the few tears that formed.

“I take it you like it?”

“Like it? I love it thank you love.” Stephen ran a shaky finger along the bracelet.

“I’m glad. What’s say you and I get some dessert hm?” As he began to wave the waiter over his phone rang. Friday wouldn’t have anything other than an emergency come through, so he was worried when he saw Michael’s name on the call.

“Michael? What’s wrong?”

‘I’m so sorry Dad, I didn’t want to interrupt your dinner but it’s Maggie! I think…I think her dad just hurt her while I was on the phone with her.” He heard his son hiccup a sob. “I need your help, please.” Michael had been distraught that his friend wasn't at school the last few days citing a stomach bug so he knew his youngest son was trying to get a hold of her..

“We’re on our way home. Friday, did you get the audio?” He asked as he watched Stephen ask for the check. He had heard Michael’s upset tone and knew something was wrong.

“I did boss. Michael’s right, Maggie was attacked while they were talking.”

“Alright, call the cops with CPS, specifically Victoria.” Stephen opened a portal and they saw Michael in the living room, upset. Once Michael noticed his parents coming through the portal he hung up and rushed over.

“I don’t know what happened, one minute we were talking and the next I heard her dad screaming and I heard…I heard him hit her. I don’t think they realized the phone was still on cause I heard it all and I heard things breaking and—”

“Michael, bambino calm down! Deep breaths ok?” Tony rubbed up and down his arms, trying to calm the teen down from having a panic attack. Peter came over and rubbed Michael’s back to help calm him down. Ana was holding Mia, eyes narrowed in anger.

“What are we going to do?” Michael asked.

“You, are going to stay here.”

“But—”

“I don’t know what this man is capable of doing so I want you here, safe. Once we know what’s going on with Maggie Steph will portal you guys in ok?” At the nod Tony pulled him into a tight hug. “I’m gonna make sure she’s ok, alright?” Again he got a nod.

“Cops are on the way boss, with Victoria receiving your message. She’s on her way as well.”

“Alright. Let’s go.” Stephen nodded, opening a portal.

Notes:

Ok so the polyamorous talk is something I had in the back of my mind, but still not sure if I'll go through with it or not, hence Michael not sure but loving both his friends so much. Logan talking to Tony about it was because in the newer series it's heavily implied that Logan Jean and Scott are together. Their rooms have connected doors for fucks sake. :/ So it's implied here haha.

The whole 'Wanda and Vision' thing I still like them as a couple but like stated trust was broken and needs to be earned back carefully.

And I always love the troupe of Stephen getting a bracelet instead of a ring because of his hands, I always find it cute!

Annnnd you guys guessed it, something's up with Maggie. Meaning Stephen and Tony to the rescue!

See you all Friday!

Chapter 15: "Do you feel like you're irrelevant? Do you feel like you're just scared as fuck?"

Notes:

You guys seem to manage to sucker punch me in the gut with the amount of love for this story. Seriously I'm almost overwhelmed when I get the notifications for comments and kudos. I love you all.

Now this one has some heavy trigger warnings. Please please PLEASE be advised of:

Transphobia, child abuse, homophobia, deadnaming, misgendering, and all around horrible parents. It is in the first part of the story, you will see I put a special break of -*- so you'll know when the worst of it is over.

Also, while I don't push for you to listen to the title song this one was what inspired me to make Maggie and what helped flourish Rem and their kids. So I highly recommend listening to it. It's even better if you see the official music video.

Title - Mars by Yungblud

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“ETA on the police Fri?” Tony looked up at the house Stephen portaled them in front of.

“ETA is two minutes, Victoria is has already contacted the police with her information once they know of the situation.”

“Should we wait?” Stephen asked worried, but instead of answering they heard a loud crash and yelling from the second floor.

“Nope.” Tony ran up the porch and started to bang on the door. While he wanted to break it down he knew that’d cause more trouble than anything. His pounding was answered by a woman who he recognized as Maggie’s step mom.

“M-Mr Stark?” She looked flustered, like she had ran down the steps to answer the door. “Is something wrong?”

“Yeah, Michael’s been worried cause he can’t get a hold of your kid, wanted to check up on them.” Angelica, that was her name according to the information he found, frowned.

“Andrew isn’t feeling well, perhaps you can—” They heard yelling come from upstairs, along with a cry of pain. Tony’s eyes hardened and he pushed his way past her. “Mr. Stark you can’t go in there!” She yelled, but he was already taking the steps two at a time up to where he heard the commotion. As he made his way to what he assumed was Maggie’s room he heard her father.

“Fucking fag, stealing women’s jewelry now? Christ it’s already bad enough you think you’re a girl but now I’ve got a thief?!”

“I-It’s my ring! Mom gave it to—” The sound of something being thrown into the wall had Tony’s blood boiling as he burst open the door. Standing over Maggie was her father, Chris Henderson. The room looked like someone had thrown things around with broken pieces of decor and even the chair that would be at her desk broken like it had been thrown across the room. Tony didn’t pay any attention to him, no he focused on the teen on the ground. Maggie stared at him with wide slightly glazed eyes, tears still running down her face. Her face that was already bruised. It looked like she was already forming a black eye, with the other cheek having a darker bruise that Tony had to guess was a few days old. Her lip was split with blood dripping down her chin.

“Wha—” was all Chris got out before Tony shoved the man away and kneeled next to Maggie.

“Oh hun…” He said softly, and she blinked up at him slightly dazed.

“What the fuck are you doing in my house?!” Her father snapped. Tony glared at him as he carefully pulled Maggie to him, shielding her.

“From the looks of it I’m rescuing your kid from you.”

“What I do with that fucking faggot is of my own—” Whatever he was going to say was cut off by him suddenly going mute. He kept talking and it took him a second to realize what happened, hand going up to his throat.

“That’s much better.” Stephen said darkly from the doorway. “Police are here.” He side stepped so two officers could come in. As soon as they took in the teen in Tony’s arms and the room destroyed around them one of the officers started to go towards Chris. He started to struggle but was quickly pushed against the wall and cuffed. Tony heard the other officer talking on the walkie while Stephen stepped in completely and kneeled next to Tony. “It looks like she may have a head injury…” He was careful as he touched Maggie’s face, looking at her pupils. They heard some scuffling as Chris was dragged out of the room but paid it no mind.

“Doctor Strange, could you please remove the spell on Mr. Hendersons voice?” The one officer who was talking on his walkie asked.

“If I must. Have you heard from CPS?”

“Yes, we have an ambulance on the way to check over Mr. Henderson here.” Maggie whimpered, curling into Tony’s hold.

“Can you not call her that?” At the confused look Tony explained. “She's trans…he was hurting her because she’s trans.” Realization flashed on the man’s face, before nodding.

“Understood, I’ll notify the others downstairs.” They could hear Chris yelling now that Stephen dropped the spell. “And we were told there was audio evidence? I can easily see the physical but…”

“But any and all evidence is good. Yeah I can get it to you guys.” Tony helped Maggie stand on shaking legs.

“My ring…” She mumbled, blinking as she looked around.

“Hm?”

“My ring…he didn’t take it…” She saw what she was looking for and went to bend down but Tony stopped her. She was close to falling over.

“I’ll get it for you sweetheart.” Stephen said, picking up what looked to be a simple gold band with a small diamond on it. Maggie made grabby hands for it, and once she had it she clutched it close to her chest. “Let’s get you downstairs, hm?” When she started to move unsteadily Tony scooped her up and carried her with no protest what so ever. By the time they got downstairs an ambulance and another cruiser arrived.

“Mr. Stark?” An EMT called for him to bring Maggie over. He carefully set her down on a stretcher, but when he pulled away Maggie’s hand shot out and grabbed his.

“D-Don’t go…please…” She whined. Tony nodded, staying close while she got looked over. Stephen went to talk to the officers, and Tony watched as another officer cuffed and put Angelica in the other car.

“It looks like he—”

“She.”

“I’m sorry, she—” The EMT looked ashamed she misgendered Maggie. “She has a small gash in the back of her head.” When she tried to shine a light into Maggies eyes the girl blinked and whined again, trying to look away. “I’m sorry sweetheart I know it’s bright but I gotta check.” She soothed, and once she was able to check both eyes she quickly looked to Tony. “She’s definitely showing signs of a concussion.” She then went and checked her face, causing Maggie to grumble a bit. “Any idea on which hospital you want her to go to?”

“Metro-General.” Stephen answered coming up next to Tony. “I already texted Christine, she’s working tonight.”

“Maggie love?” Maggie hummed looking to Tony, blinking slowly. “I need to talk to the officers, can Stephen keep you company?” She hummed again, reaching for Stephen’s hand. As soon as she touched his scars she looked down confused, before just gently putting her hand on top of his instead of holding it. “Good girl.” She smiled a bit at that, wincing as her lip bled a bit.

“I’ve got her.” Stephen nodded to him, before talking to the EMT about the suspected concussion. Tony rushed to the officer who was talking to Chris, albeit with the man in the back of the cruiser.

“You should be arresting him he barged into my house!” He was yelling, glaring at Tony.

“I knocked first.” Tony said calmly. “They think she has a concussion.” He told the officer.

“That fucking brat isn’t a girl!” The man in the car hissed, but was ignored by both Tony and the officer.

“I’m not surprised with how messed up she looked. Your fiancé gave us the audio already compiled from your secretary. A CPS worker will be meeting you at the hospital.” Tony nodded, looking to the other car.

“Are you arresting her as well?”

“For assaulting an officer yeah. She tried to shove and hit us to get us out of the house before Doctor Strange stopped her.” Tony shook his head.

“And this one?” Tony finally looked to Maggie’s father, eyes cold.

“Considering we came in to find a minor beaten and bleeding, he’s going to be booked. Once we hear from CPS on the extent of the abuse we’ll go from there but for now he’s not your problem.” Tony nodded. “Can I ask how you know her?” The officer looked to the ambulance.

“She’s best friends with my son. We had an idea something was wrong but…not like this.”

“She’s lucky to have you and your family.”

“Doesn’t feel lucky.”

—*—

Tony had sent a quick text to Ana to let her know that they had Maggie but it didn’t look good. He wanted to wait till she was stable before having Michael come visit. During the ride to the hospital they treated the gash on the back of her head easily, with it only needing a few butterfly stitches to seal it up. When they arrived at the hospital Stephen talked to the doctors who came to meet them, while Tony took Maggie’s hand again. She seemed to be in and out of it which worried him, but both Stephen and the EMT they rode with said she was going to be ok.

“Stephen!” Tony turned and saw Christine running over to them.

“Christine, this is Maggie, who I texted you about.” Christine checked Maggie over a bit, before ushering them into a room.

“I’ve got a few colleagues to come and help out with her. We've got to take pictures of the injuries real quick before we get radiology here to take her for an MRI. CPS should be here soon.”

“Any idea on who it is?” Tony hoped it was Victoria.

“Our normal hospital social worker is coming, but I know Stephen mentioned your worker should be coming.”

“Friday any news on that?” He asked as he pulled out his phone.

“Victoria is on her way to the hospital now.” Christine was pulling up Maggie’s medical information, but paused.

“Tony…” She motioned him over. Maggie was leaning against Stephen on the hospital bed, still blinking slowly. “What’s Maggie’s name in the system?”

“Andrew Henderson.” After a moment Christine pulled up her files and started to worry her bottom lip. “What’s wrong?”

“She’s been in the hospital multiple times now. But it’s all been for accidents from martial arts class or sports…” Tony raised an eyebrow.

“Maggie’s not in any sports that I know of.” Christine’s eyes turned sharply to the inventor. “She’s in martial arts with my son but I’ve never seen anyone get hurt at them to the point of going to the hospital...the teachers are always so good to not push to injury.” That caused a deeper frown.

“Let’s get her undressed and into a hospital gown.”

“Maggie?” The teen hummed looking over to where Tony was. “We’re gonna get you changed so you can go get some scans done for your head ok?” She nodded still out of it. “Do you want me and Stephen to leave?” That caused a reaction. She jerked and looked fully at him with wide eyes.

“N-No please…please stay with me.” Stephen wrapped an arm around her, rubbing her arm soothingly.

“We’ll be right here sweetheart, ok?” Maggie nodded. “We need to take pictures of all the injuries you have, alright?” Again with a nod. Christine called a few doctors in, one of which had a digital camera.

First was her face. They carefully turned her head this way and that to record all the cuts and bruises she had. Next was her upper torso. As they peeled her out of the hoodie she was wearing Tony took a sharp breath. She had multiple bruises on her upper arms and shoulders. Some on her back as well. All looked like fingers or the shape of a closed fist. When questioned about it all she said was,

“Dad was trying to toughen me up…to be a better man.” The dazed look she had started to fade a bit, meaning she was starting to come back around. Stephen looked to Tony, lips pressed in a tight line. They continued by taking quick pictures of the bruises before helping her out of her jeans and into a hospital gown. It didn’t look like she had any bruises on her upper thighs or anywhere that Tony felt his stomach drop at even considering, but she had some scraps on her knees and legs from being tossed around earlier. “Can you come with me?” She said in a quiet voice when it was time for her to get her MRI.

“Is it ok if it’s just me? Tony’s going to talk with CPS.” Stephen asked. At hearing ‘CPS’ Maggie flinched.

“Am I going into a home?”

“We don’t know yet honey. Right now we need to see what’s going on with your concussion ok?” Maggie paused before nodding and laying back in the bed. Stephen left with her and Christine to go down to radiology. Tony ran a shaky hand through his hands, finally getting a moment to sit. He heard a knock at the door of Maggies room and looked up to find Victoria, looking out of breath.

“Tony…” She reached out and actually hugged him. He blinked, confused, but took the hug. “Friday told me everything, I’ve already got Jake to transfer the case to me. How is she?”

“She’s…she’s fucked Vickie.” He croaked out. “She’s in MRI now cause the asshole threw her into a wall…” Victoria took a sharp breath, gripping Tony tighter. “Who’s Jake?”

“Oh! Jake’s this hospitals social worker.” She pulled back, eyes wet with unshed tears. “I just got done talking to him about her. So she’s my case now.”

“What’s gonna happen to her?” Tony asked as he let go and sat back down.

“Well with what the police report says and with the documented abuse, she should be going into a foster home. Normally it wouldn’t be that quick but…” Victoria bit her lip. “Mr. Henderson already waved his rights. He gave her up to the state just before I got here.”

“He’s not getting away with what he did is he?!”

“No! No he’s still being charged with child abuse and endangerment, but even after everything he can’t have her back. He…doesn’t want her back.”

“So now what?”

“Now I find her a foster home.” Victoria sighed. At the look Tony gave her she gave him a bittersweet smile. “Tony as much as I’d love for you to take her you’re not officially registered as a foster. Ana Michael and Mia were a special circumstance because of their situation. We would need Maggie go to a proper foster home.”

“And you can find one? One that won’t hurt her, won’t dead name her or—” The look Victoria give him makes him shut his mouth so quick his jaw snapped audibly. “Shit I’m sorry. Of course you’d find someone I just…” He sighed deeply. Victoria’s steely gaze softened.

“I know Tony. I know because I see how much you love and care for all you kids, especially with Michael and his gender. So I’ll forgive you, this time.” She sniffed, but gave him a smile to show she was teasing.

“How soon will you be able to find her a place?” Victoria hummed pulling out her phone and tapping away.

“I have someone in mind, but I need to go over paperwork to make sure everything is in order before we put Maggie in the home. Once she’s back I’ll talk to her a bit, but…” she paused, thinking. “I’m going to see about letting her stay with you for a day or so, so I can lock in this foster home specifically, if that’s ok?”

“Of course that’s ok. She’s always welcome at ours.” Tony gave her a weak smile. “And I’m sorry about what I said earlier. I know you’ll always have the kids best interests…”

“It’s just hard because you saw first hand what some kids go through. And you’re protective of Michael’s friend, I completely get that. No harm no foul.”

“Thanks Vic, I appreciate it.” There was a quick knock before the curtain was pulled back. Nurses wheeled Maggie back in with Stephen and Christine going over her chart in the hall next to the room. Stephen glanced over and saw Victoria.

“Ah, Victoria.” She and Tony stepped out to talk to the two doctors.

“Stephen.” She looked over to Maggie, who had her eyes closed. “I wish we were meeting back up on better circumstances. How is she?”

“We were right, concussion. MRI scans are otherwise clean but she’s going to need to be monitored for a few days.”

“Monitored here?” Tony asked.

“No she can go—” Stephen stopped himself. “Where will she go?”

“I’ll let Tony explain while I talk with Maggie ok?” Victoria walked back into the room. Christine left to take care of another patient, leaving Stephen and Tony to talk.

“Her bastard father gave up his rights.” Stephen jerked a bit, looking over at his fiancé.

“He’s not getting away with—”

“No, I thought the same thing but he’s still being charged. But she’s now in the hands of the state.”

“Can’t she come with us?”

“Technically she will be, for a few days. But she has to go to an actual foster home. Our three were a special case.”

“She’ll find a good foster home for her.” They watched as Victoria introduced herself before talking about how she knew Tony and Stephen. At hearing she was their social worker and that she herself was trans Maggie relaxed immensely.

“Oh good you actually thought before talking. I just ran my mouth and may have insulted her.”

“Tony…” Stephen chastised but pulled him over for a hug. “Don’t worry I was thinking it. I know Vickie’s got her best interest but it’s still scary…especially after seeing Maggie hurt like that.”

“You know what kills me the most?” Tony mumbled into the sorcerer’s dress jacket.

“Hm?”

“She won’t be the last.” Tony choked a bit. “I can fly a nuke into a wormhole but I can’t save one kid from being abused…and there’s more of them out there.”

“Oh love…”

“I don’t know how to help them. I want to help them, so much because kids like her and Michael shouldn’t be hurt like that…for who they are.”

“Why don’t you talk to Pepper? Maybe make a new non-profit to help kids like Michael and Maggie hm?” Tony blinked up at him.

“I didn’t even think of that. Christ I love you.” Stephen chuckled. “Marry me?”


“I asked you first.” He hummed, pulling the shorter man close. “Have you let Michael know yet?”

“Not yet. I wanted her to be more stable before having them come in.” Victoria came back out at that moment, giving Maggie a small wave.

“Ok so, I’ll have to make some calls and once I’m done with that and the hospital gives the go ahead she can go home with you. Once I get the all clear on the foster I’ll call and we’ll set up for her to head over.”

“Alright, thanks Vic. And again I’m so sorry.” Tony was waved off.

“It’s understandable Tony, I promise I’m not mad. Now I’ve got phone calls to make.”

“We should probably let the kids know what’s up.” Tony sighed. They stepped back into Maggie’s room where she was once again dozing. “How’re you feeling hun?”


“‘M tired Mr. Stark.”

“Tony kiddo.”

“O-oh yeah…Tony.” Maggie blinked a bit. “Miss Victoria was nice.”

“She was. Did she tell you what was going to happen?”

“She’s got a foster in mind but…I get to come home with you right now…right?” Tony nodded.

“That’s right. Michael’s been worried, is it ok if he comes by? I know they’re gonna want to monitor you for a couple more hours.” Maggie looked down to her hands, where the ring she was so adamant about getting was on one of her fingers.

“I wanna see him…’m sorry I didn’t say anything before.”

“Don’t blame yourself, ok? I can’t imagine how hard it was to go through that before but we’re here now, and you’re not alone anymore. Got it?”

“Got it.” She sniffled. When Michael and Ana came a bit later Michael pulled Maggie into a hug, practically in his lap as he clings, sniffling. Maggie clings right back, but no tears are shed. Instead she’s speaking softly, almost sounds like she’s comforting him about what happened. Tony tells Ana the full details as they sit outside of the room.

“And where is her father again?” Ana spoke quietly.

“No. No we are not doing that. He’s going to be charged for the abuse and he’s already given up his rights so she’s going to be taken care of.” Ana grumbled, eyes closing.

“You sure?”

“Yes I’m sure. Trust me we’re gonna make sure he never goes near her again.”

“Good. Can we keep her?” Riven spoke up, eyes sliding open to look at his father.

“She’s going to stay for a least a night or two before going to a foster home. Victoria’s sworn that who she has in mind will be a perfect fit so we’ll have to see.”

“You’re going to vet them?” Ana asked.

“Who do you think you’re talking to?” His only answer is a chuckle.

——

It’s almost 4 in the morning by the time they can leave and go to the compound. Stephen for the sake of getting them back home sooner opens a portal, and has in his hand medication for Maggie. She’s a lot more coherent now that she’s gotten the all clear and is out of the hospital and she steps through jaw slack in awe at one minute being in the hospital and the next in the compound living quarters.

“Wow…” She whispered, looking around. “That’s so cool.”

“Makes traffic a lot less of a hassle.” Tony chuckled. “Alright let’s get you settled in hm?”

“Anthony?” Tony turned to see Loki coming out of their quarters. “Peter told us what happened but—” As soon as he sees Maggie’s face several emotions flash through his eyes, one being unbridled rage that he has to blink away before he comes closer, frowning. Maggie didn’t notice, instead looking up at the trickster.

“H-Hi Mr. Loki.” He carefully touched her face, frown deepening. When he sees her flinch from pain he twists the hand that isn’t touching her face and a jar of salve appears.

“Oh my child…come let’s get this fixed up hm?” He leads her to the couch for her to sit.

“Michael why don’t you go get ready for bed. I know tomorrow you’re not going to class but you should get some rest ok?” Stephen nudges his son toward the east wing. Michael watched Loki and Maggie a moment before nodding and heading to his room. He slips past James who is watching, jaw clenched.

“Is the bastard still alive?” He asks Tony in Russian.

”Unfortunately.” Ana answers him as she goes to her room. ”I’m going to find her some sleep clothes.”

“Where is he?” James growled.

“No, we’re not doing this I just told the twins it’s not happening, so no.” James just grumbled, watching as Loki carefully put whatever salve he had on her bruises and her lip. “Trust me I’d love to let all of you go after him but it’s not worth it. Right now she’s needs friends.” James just hummed, continuing to watch. A few minutes later Ana came back into the room, going over to the teen.

“Here, this should fit you. I’m gonna get you set up in my room ok?” Maggie looked up at Ana, confused.

“Your room?”

“Yeah. We always have girls sleep in my room boys in Michael’s. So you’re in my room.” Maggie stared, before her eyes started to water and she choked back a sob. Ana looked panicked, while Loki just pulled Maggie close to comfort her.

“‘M sorry…’M sorry…” She sobbed as she clung to Loki.

“W-what…” Ana started to ask but Maggie interrupted.

“Y-you see me…you all see me” She sniffled. Ana’s face softened, before she touched the girls shoulder.

“Of course we see you. We’ll always see you.”

——

“Are we sure about this?” Michael asked the third time since they got into the car. It took two days before Victoria called back to let them know she got everything in order. She had given Happy the address which when they got in he gave them a funny look but didn’t say anything more.

“Yes we’re sure about this Bambino. We trust Victoria don’t we?” Tony knew his son was being extra protective of Maggie. They had gone yesterday to gather all the things she wanted from her room, and when Michael saw everything he got even more protective of her. They hadn’t cleaned anything up, so it was still as messy as it was when Tony came in.

“I know we trust Victoria but…” Michael looked over to Maggie who was staring out the window. She had been quiet all morning, obviously nervous about going to a foster home. Loki had refused her going at first, but Tony and James had to explain why she had to go. Still the mage was not happy and wanted to know exactly where she’d be once they knew.

“But nothing, we know she’s got this. Remember how she asked Maggie all those questions to make sure she’d be comfortable?” At the nod he continued, “We just gotta…” Tony blinked as he took in where they were as they drove. This street looked very familiar. “Hap?”

“Yeah boss?” Happy lowered the divider window.

“Where are we?”

“Almost to the address Ms Victoria gave me.” Tony raised an eyebrow, looking out as they turned down another familiar street.

“What’s wrong dad?”

“I’ll tell you in a second…” He looked even more confused when Happy pulled up to a very familiar house. Victoria was standing out in the yard talking to the owner of said house…with their large white dog next to them. “Holy shit.”

“What?” Maggie looked scared. Tony opened the car door and started to stalk towards Victoria and—

“Rem?!”

Notes:

Aaaahh I'm so sorry Maggie! I promise things are looking up from here on out for our little girl!

And I know there's a lot of blinking and non verbalness from Maggie but she just got a concussion guys give her some slack.

While I know it wasn't completely accurate as far as CPS and child abuse cases it was hard to find proper information without it being weird. (I already get enough questions thanks to my google search history thank you very much) In this case I went with the idea of "You gave up your rights now there's no way you can somehow get them back to abuse them more" Because that is something I have seen happen (Not often but the system is flawed) And while yes we would love Tony and Stephen to take Maggie in I felt that who she's going with is going to be perfect for her.

And you guys wanting Loki and James to adopt her are just so sweet. Don't worry she's gonna get the happily ever after she deserves.

See you all Monday!

Chapter 16: "What if I run away to Mars? Would you find me in the stars? Would you miss me in the end if I run out of oxygen? When I run away to Mars"

Notes:

Guys! We're over 410 kudos! Oh my god!!! Seriously thank you all for the love, it just leaves me in awe. Now this chapter has a lot of original character in it but a lot of you wanted to know what was up with Rem. I hope you all enjoy it!

Trigger warning - talking about past child abuse.

Title - Run Away to Mars by TALK

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Tony?” Rem looked confused as seeing the billionaire stalking up to the gate.

“Victoria why did Happy bring us to Rem’s home?” Victoria looked back and forth between the two.

“Because this is the foster I had in mind…wait you know Rem?”

“Sarah’s best friends with Mia. How do you know him?” Rem asked, crossing their arms and glaring at Victoria.

“I was their social worker.” Rem just shook their head.

“And you forgot to mention that Tony would be dropping off Maggie?”

“Oops?”

“Unbelievable. You’re just as bad as you were back in college.”

“Hey!”

“Wait you two know each other outside of fostering?” Tony asked, hearing Michael and Maggie get out of the car behind him.

“Yeah we went to college together. And she’s the one that convinced me to take up fostering years ago.”

“So when you said you had to look into someone…”

‘I meant Rem. I needed to make sure their paperwork was all in order for this state. I knew they mentioned trying to foster again after their two kids but I wasn’t sure if everything was ready.”

“Dad?” Michael questioned behind him. Tony looked back to see Michael holding Maggie’s hand, both looking confused, albeit Maggie looking more fearful than confused.

“Ah, sorry I scared you kiddo.” He motioned them over and they entered the gate. Rem’s annoyance quickly dissolved as they took in Michael and Maggie.

“Hi Miss Maggie.” Victoria smiled at the shy girl.

“H-Hi Miss Victoria.”

“I know things are a little overwhelming but I have someone I want to introduce you to.” Rem stepped closer, before kneeling down so they weren’t towering over her.

“Hi there.” Rem’s grey eyes flitted across Maggie’s face taking in all the bruises that were fading a bit quicker than normal thanks to Loki’s salve.

“H-Hi.”

“I’m Remington Thomas. But you can call me Rem or Remy, ok?” Maggie nodded. “Is Maggie short for something?”

“Margaret.” Rem smiled.

“That’s a very pretty name.” Maggie gave a shy smile.

“Thank you.”

“How much did Victoria tell you about me?”

“N-Nothing.” Rem shot Victoria a look before looking back to the teen.

“That’s ok. I’m non-binary, meaning I use they/them ok?” Maggie’s eyes widened, before she nodded in shock. Rem smiled more. “Good. And Victoria told me you were ok with dogs right?” Another nod. “Excellent.” They turned to look at their service dog. “Aziraphale.” The large white German Shepard came over, leaning on Rem again. “This is my service dog. He’s more of the house’s emotional support dog than just mine. So don’t be surprised if when you need it he comes around for cuddles.” Rem snapped their fingers and Aziraphale instantly went to Maggie, sniffing her. As soon as Maggie ran her fingers through his fur he leaned on her instead of Rem. “Feels nice doesn’t it?” Another nod. “Good. Now you need to meet Crowley.”

“Crowley?”

“My guard dog.” Maggie stared, before something clicked.

“You named your dogs from Good Omens?” Rem’s eyes brightened.

“I did. You a fan?”

“Of Neil Gaiman?! Yes!” Rem chuckled.

“I think you’ll do just fine here.” Rem stood, stretching. “Why don’t we go inside?” Maggie nodded, but stopped and looked to Michael and Tony. “They’re more than welcome to come in while Victoria and I go over paperwork and I show you to your room.” The teen relaxed, before tugging Michael along. Tony took Maggie’s few bags from Happy before entering Rem’s house a second time. Rem was introducing Maggie and Michael to Crowley who sniffed them before he went to Tony and started to sniff at Maggie’s bags.

“Rem?” Rem turned to the stairs at the end of the hall and sighed.

“Toby, Sarah. I told you to wait—”

“Why’s Tony here? Is Mia here too?” Sarah interrupted.

“No love bug, Tony’s helping Maggie get set up. She’s friends with Michael, Mia’s brother?” Toby just watched from the stairwell, keeping quiet. “Now can we show Maggie her room before you guys bombard her?”

“Fiiiine.” Sarah sighed, before tugging Toby back up the stairs.

“Are they foster children too?” Maggie asked. “Victoria just asked if I’d be ok with a few kids in the house…” Rem groaned before glaring at Victoria.

“We’re discussing this later V.” Victoria just gave an overly sweet smile to Rem. “And to answer your question no. Those two heathens are my adopted kids. I actually fostered them first before adopting them, and when I moved back here I got everything set up so I could foster again. You’re my first. And I probably won’t take anyone else in while I have you.”

“I thought fosters normally have a bunch of kids…” Maggie mumbled. Rem looked to Tony who shrugged, not sure where she heard that.

“Some can sure. But I don’t think I could do that. I want to make sure you have as much of my attention as my kids do.” Maggie smiled a bit, relaxing more. “Wanna see your room first?” The teen nodded before following them upstairs, Michael still gripping her hand. Victoria came over to Tony, a sheepish grin on her face.

“I didn’t know you knew Rem or else I would’ve told you.”

“Yeah small world. Sorry if I seemed angry, it was more of a shock when we pulled up and we were here. I knew they mentioned Toby and Sarah were adopted I just didn’t know they fostered.”

“They fostered Toby and Sarah first.”

“So why did you need to make sure their paperwork for fostering was in order?”

“Cause they were originally in another state when fostering and adopting Toby and Sarah.” Tony looked to up the stairs where he could hear Michael and Maggie talk, along with Rem. “They recently came back here they had to update their licensing to be up to state regulations.”

“Where were they before?”

“Finding themselves.” Victoria spoke softly. Tony raised an eyebrow at her. “Not my place to tell. Why don’y you wait in the living room, I’ve got to grab some more paperwork from my car.” Tony saw the living room once during the sleepover but now he was able to snoop a bit more. He looked at the different framed prints and trinkets all along the walls. He never noticed the different taxidermy around the living room, from pinned insects in frames to a few strange skulls. He saw different framed photos, mainly of the kids with a few of Rem. Something on the mantle caught his eye. There was a picture and an urn, with a chain necklace around it. Attached to the chain was a padlock, and Tony remembered Rem usually had a similar chain necklace with a padlock, but this one looked much older. Stepping closer he saw that the padlock had been cut…whoever had it probably didn’t have the key. He eyes drifted to the picture next to the urn.

It was of two people, one he could only tell was Rem from the grey eyes, while the other was a dark skinned man with longer dreads. The man was kissing Rem’s cheek, mushing it while Rem was laughing. He reached out and picked it up, trying to figure out how long ago it had been taken.

“That’s Marcus.” Tony jumped at hearing Toby behind him.

“Jeez kid you’re quiet.” Tony chuckled, clutching his chest. “Careful I have a heart condition.” At seeing the kid panic he quickly put the frame back. “I’m joking, I’m fine it’s ok.” Toby frowned, but nodded. “You said that was Marcus?”

“Yeah. Rem’s partner. But he passed away.” Tony looked back to the photo.

“Really?” Toby came closer, nodding. “I’m sorry to hear he's gone, that must've been hard on you.” Tony looked to the boy. He tilted his head.

“Why?” At the slow blink he got Toby shrugged. “I never met him. He died before Rem came to Mars.”

“Mars?”

“Yeah. Mars, it's a small village in the middle of nowhere. It’s where Sarah and I are from. Rem moved there after he died.” Tony tucked that bit of information away for now, looking again to the picture. “Can I ask you something?”

“Shoot kiddo.”


“Maggie’s face.” Tony’s eyes darted to the boy next to him. “Did her parents do that?”

“Yeah…her dad did.” Toby’s quiet, seeming to fidget with something around his neck. It was a small chain with a key on it.

“My Pa nearly killed me. He beat me so badly they had to have a helicopter fly in to take me to the hospital.” Tony’s glad he isn’t holding the picture or else he’d drop it. “If it wasn’t for Rem he probably would’ve.”

“Can I ask what happened?”

“I don’t remember what set him off that time. But he wanted Sarah. I would always make sure he wouldn’t get his hands on Sarah but this time he really…really wanted to hurt my sister. We lived next to Rem’s farmhouse, and we’d always sneak over when he got too bad…but this time we had to run for our lives.” Toby’s eyes were distant as he remembered what happened. “Well…Sarah ran. I limped. And he followed us. He got us right as we got past her fence and he just started to hit me and hit me and hit me. He didn’t stop until Crowley tackled him.” Tony took a sharp breath. “And then he hit Crowley. Took a rock and his his muzzle where he latched on to him…” Toby finally looked to Tony. “Rem stopped him. Shot him. Had the police come to take him away and then made sure I was ok. They stayed with me the entire time I was in the hospital.” He took a deep breath. “I know Maggie’s scared. And I know you and Michael are worried about her.”

“Yeah. We are…” Tony spoke softly.

“But Rem will protect her. Will fight for her. Because they does that for us every day.” Tony looked at the blonde haired boy for a moment, really taking him in before he nods.

“I’m glad they’ll be there for Maggie. And I’m glad they were there for you and your sister.” Toby nodded before turning as they heard Rem and Maggie talking.

“Are you sure I can have such a big room?” Maggie sounded more sure of herself as she asked.

“It’s the same size as Sarah’s and Toby’s, it’s fine Maggie.”

“Plus you’ve got a really nice view of their big backyard Mags, it’s really peaceful.” He heard Michael say as they turned and entered the living room.

“And you can see our tree house, which is super fun. You could come to the tree house too!” He heard Sarah say.

“You guys checking out her room?” Tony asked as he stepped away from the mantle.

“Yeah it’s super big! And Rem said she can paint it once I'm ready to do so.” Maggie’s smile was much easier now, which made Tony feel at ease about her being here.

“Nice. So black?”

“No cause if they let Maggie paint her room black when I couldn’t I’m gonna go on strike.” Toby said as he crossed his arms.

“On strike from what? I still do most of the chores here.” Rem gave Toby a look.

“I dunno but I’ll do it!” They snorted, before looking to Tony.

“He been bugging you?”

“Na, just talking.” Tony ruffled Toby’s hair which caused him to grumble. “Glad your room is really nice.”

“It is!” Maggie smiled at him. Victoria came back at that moment with the rest of the paperwork. While she Rem and Maggie went over some of the final things for Maggie, Tony looked up Marcus Thomas. What he found made his stomach clench. His name was in a few articles about a civil lawsuit against not only a hospital but several doctors in unlawful death and medical negligence, as well as forging documents. His attention was pulled from the article by Maggie’s worried tone.

“My dad was paying for my tuition, will I still be able to go to Midtown?” Before Victoria could say anything Rem spoke up.

“It’s fine. I’ll cover the costs.”

“Are you sure Rem?” Victoria asked.

“I still have plenty from the suit. That’s not including what the old man left me.”


“He left you more than this house?”

“Oh yeah. We’re fine. Speaking of school…” Rem leaned back on the couch were they were talking. “Are you interested in any sports or after school activities? I know Victoria told me you take martial arts classes but…if you don’t want to continue those that’s fine. Not saying you can’t continue it’s not an issue but I want to give you that option.” Maggie bit her lip, looking down to her hands. Michael who had been quiet reached over and placed his hand over hers.

“If you don’t want to do classes with me anymore I’m not gonna be mad.” Maggie looked to her best friend.

“You sure?”

“Of course I’m sure. You have to do what makes you happy.” Maggie took a deep breath before looking up to Rem.

“I don’t want to do martial arts class anymore. I wanna do theater…but Dad wouldn’t let me.”

“Can we move her classes around?” Rem asked Victoria.

“I’ll ask when I notify the school of the change.” Rem hummed, hand reaching up and fiddling with the large chain with a padlock around her neck. Tony looked at it, before looking to Toby. Toby was playing with his necklace as well. He looked to Sarah who was sitting next to Rem, kicking her feet slightly as she leaned against them. He noticed she also had a necklace, but couldn’t see what was on the end of it. Interesting. “Speaking of, Maggie do you want Rem or myself to notify the school of you being trans? That way they stop misgendering and deadnaming you?” Maggie looked between Victoria and Rem, before speaking softly.

“You can do that?”

“I did that for Michael, I’m sure they’ll have no issues for you.” Tony spoke up. Maggie’s smile was worth it. They finished everything up, and it was time for Tony and Michael to leave. “Hey Rem…” Tony called for them as Michael and Maggie said their goodbyes.

“Hm?”

“What are you guys doing to Thanksgiving?” Rem paused, thinking.

“I was going to ask if you wanted Maggie to spend Thanksgiving with you guys since Michael and her are so close…”

“Wait really? I can? I mean—” Maggie overhead and spoke up. “Can I Mr. Tony?”

“It’s why I was asking.” He chuckled. “But seriously you guys can join too.” Rem hummed, thinking.

“I don’t want us to impose…” Sarah who was next to Rem looked up to them.

“Where else would we go? To Uncle Lucas’s?”

“Ew gross.”

“Absolutely not.” Both Toby and Rem said, before looking to each other. “…I guess we’ll come over for Thanksgiving.”

“What’s wrong with Uncle Lucas?” Michael asked.

“Nothing—”

“He’s a dick.”

“Tobias.” Rem warned…before sighing “He’s not wrong, he is a dick.”

“How so?” Maggie asked.

“He’s always been a dick. But you don’t have to worry about him, he rarely comes by unannounced.”

“Cause last time he did Crowley nearly bit him.” Sarah said giggling.

——

That evening when Stephen Ana and Loki portaled into the lab Tony went into a deeper dive into Rem's past than before when Mia was spending the night at Sarah's. Peter and Michael were playing games in the living room while Mia reading with James on the couch in the lab.

“So? Where is she? Is she safe?” Tony turned and looked to Loki as he rushed over.

“Well good evening to you too Rudolph.” Loki scowled at him. “And to answer your question yes she’s safe and funny enough we know her foster.”

“We do?” Stephen asked. Tony waved at the screens and Rem’s information pulled up. “Oh! Rem.”

“Rem?”

“Yeah they’re Sarah’s parent.” Mia perked up at hearing Sarah’s name.

“Rem! They're really nice.” Mia said excitedly. James chuckled before looking up at the screens.

“So we trust this Rem?” He asked.

“Yeah. We definitely trust this Rem. I also looked deeper into them, and I think they'll take care of Maggie just fine.” Stephen stepped looking over the articles that were pulled up.

“I remember this incident.” He pointed to one that talked about the lawsuit. “Our office staff went insane after this, trying to make sure nothing like that was happening in our hospital.” Loki read through what Tony found, including an article about Toby when he was airlifted to a nearby hospital after his father nearly beat him to death. That was almost two years ago.

“If you trust them…” Loki sighed, still not happy about it.

“I did also invite them all to Thanksgiving.” That caused Loki to perk up.

“Means I got more cooking to do.” Ana laughed.

“Actually I wanted to talk to you about Thanksgiving.” James spoke up.

“Hm?”

“Can Stevie come?” James had spent the day with Rogers. Tony paused looking to Stephen. Stephen titled his head, leaving it up to Tony. "If you're not comfortable I understand, I just know he's gonna be alone. Barton has Romanoff and Maximoff coming with him, and Scott and Sam are going to their families that day." Tony thought a bit longer on it, before speaking up.

“Sure."

Notes:

Maggie's settled in! Yay! She'll definitely be taken care of, I promise. And as far as what happened to Rem, Toby, and Sarah that'll be in detail with my NANOWRIMO project that I'll be starting on in November. Next chapter will have plenty of family fluff, so be ready for that!

See you all Wednesday!

Chapter 17: "Don't you know I'm still standing better than I ever did?"

Notes:

Hello everyone! Sorry this wasn't up as early as I usually post, I've had internet issues all day so now that it's kinda working I'm hoping this posts with no issues. Thank you again for the love and support you all have shown this story, it's insane to me that many like what I write. No trigger warnings, just some fluff and plot.

Title - I'm still standing by Elton John

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

By the time Rem Maggie Toby and Sarah came over for Thanksgiving the living room was already full of people. Although they were going to New Asgard for their feast later, Thor and Bruce were there, with Bruce and Tony talking excitedly about something Bruce had been researching. Peter and Michael were playing games with Rhodey, who had been once again kicked out of the kitchen. Loki was watching as Mia and Vision sat coloring, with Mia focusing intently on her drawing. What was weird was Rogers. As soon as James brought him up Ana grabbed both of them for help in the kitchen.

“You can peel potatoes can’t you?” Is all she asked with a raised eyebrow. Rogers nodded, before being dragged into the kitchen.

“Rem!” Tony smiled as they entered.

“Hey.” They smiled, watching both Maggie and Toby go over to where Peter and Michael were playing. Tony introduced them as Sarah rushed over to where Mia was coloring.

“Hi Mr. Loki!” Loki stood, going over and hugging Maggie. Maggie returned the hug, smiling brightly. In the few days she’d been with Rem she had flourished, especially since Rem took her out shopping. She was wearing a green and purple top, and Tony noticed her nails were painted. Loki smiled down at her, before ushering her to go play with the other teens. His head snapped to Rem, and Tony couldn’t stop a groan from escaping. Rem watched as Loki stepped up, crossing his arms.

“And you’re Rem.”

“I am. And you’re Loki.” Before Loki could say anything further Rem continued. “You know Maggie talks about you all the time.” Loki blinked, all anger dissipating.

“She does?”

“Oh yes. We’re going to paint her room soon. Wanna guess at what color?” After Loki stared confused, Rem leaned in. “Green.” Their eyes darted down to his green shirt.

“R-Really?”

“Really.” Tony sighed in relief as he watched the two start to talk. Stephen pulled him close, smiling as he watched everyone.

“Doesn’t get much better than this.” He hummed, kissing the side of his fiancé’s neck.

“I mean I could go with Carol being here and no impending doom.” Stephen huffed a laugh into his neck.

“True. But we’ll take what we can get.” By the time dinner was done Loki and Rem were on much friendlier terms, Thor and Bruce had left and Tony watched as James and Rogers talked, easily falling back into their old ways of being friends. Rogers noticed Tony looking and gave a small smile. Tony felt the corner of his lip twitch before he looked away and took a sip of his drink. It wasn’t until after everyone was gone and they were in bed that he brought something up to Stephen.

“Is it wrong for me to wish things go back the way they were?” Stephen blinked slowly, seeming to register the question. "I mean not the whole 'they treat me like shit and use me' but like...the friendliness?" He groaned. "That sounds wrong. It's...hard to explain."

“I think I understand what you're asking...and I don’t think so no…but if you do you have to be careful, you know?”

“I know but…fuck I miss him.” Stephen pulled him closer, running shaky fingers through his brown locks.

“And that’s ok. But I don’t want to see you hurt again…and if he does so I’m afraid I’ll kill him.”

“No you won’t, you’ll have to fight the twins first.” Stephen snorted, before getting serious.

“Did Rhodey tell you about the bases?”

“You mean the recent activity in the Hydra bases?” He felt Stephen nod. “Yeah I asked if he needed me but he said he needed you and Loki.”

“They’ve found some of the same markings from the base Maximoff got her demon at in several of them.”

“Great, just what we need. Demonic Hydra.” The sorcerer chuckled.

“We’re going to try and prevent that.”

“Just be careful alright? I can’t imagine you getting hurt just because some dickbag Nazi wants to play hocus pocus.”

“I’ll be careful.” He kissed the top of Tony’s head. “Now, get some rest.” Tony grumbled but snuggled closer.

——

“What time are you going to your parents grave?” James asked a few weeks later. Tony blinked as he looked up from his current project. They were the only ones in the lab as Stephen Loki and Riven were at the Kamar-Taj and the kids were in school.

“Probably in the morning, why?”

"No reason…” James looked down. It took Tony a moment to understand why.

“You and Rogers want to visit.” He spoke quietly. At the small nod he sighed.

“I’d say go after 3. By then we should be back home.” Again another small nod. “Thank you for asking.”

“Of course. We don’t want to make you uncomfortable.” And wasn’t that something? When they first came Rogers and the others didn’t care if they made him uncomfortable they just tried to take and take and take. Now? Now they leave him alone. It wasn’t until later that evening he realized how soon it was to the anniversary. He looked over to see Stephen and Ana working over the runes and documents they found in the most recent bunker, having just recently come home.

“So James asked when we’d go visit my folks graves.” That got their attention.

“Really?” Ana questioned

“Yeah…it feels weird still that they’re being so considerate. I mean the others, not James he’s always been considerate of us.” Ana hummed, looking to Stephen.

“I think they realized their mistakes. What time did you tell them we’d be there?” Stephen asked.

“In the morning. Cause I know we’re doing what we did last year with everyone being around.”

“We are. Did you want James there?”

“I…I don’t know.”

“And it’s ok not to know. Just like it’s ok to not want to see him that day.” Stephen walked over and took Tony’s hands, running his thumb along the inventors knuckles. “Just let us know and we’ll make it happen.” Tony looked up to the man he loved, smiling softly.

“What did I do to deserve you?”

“Still trying to figure that out.”

The second time they went to see Tony’s parents on the anniversary of their death was strangely calming compared to the first. They had gone to visit as they did last year, and while it still hurt it wasn’t as horrible as last year. When they got home everyone was already setting up for dinner to be Tony’s favorite, Pepper and Happy grabbed his favorite desserts, and of course the cuddle pile. When Tony told Loki James could come up, he hadn’t expected to see the man red eyed and face blotchy. As soon as James locked eyes with him the man’s features crumbled. Tony got up from the couch, walked over and pulled him into a hug. James leaned in, hands gripping the back of Tony’s shirt as his breath shuddered. No one batted an eye at the two men, both crying and apologizing. No one said a word when they sat back on the couch, James being held by Loki and Tony being held by Stephen, both men looking drained from the onslaught of emotions.

“I wanna make you your favorite dessert.” James muttered later, when most had left and only ones around was the four men and the kids. Mia had demanded James’s lap, grabbing extra plushies to sit next to him.

“You bribing me with sweets Barnes?” Tony teased, leaning into Stephens touch as the surgeon had a hand on the back of Tony’s neck, thumb lazily rubbing back and forth.

“No. Yes? I dunno I just…” James sighed. “I still feel crappy about everything.”

“Same here.”

“And I know you said you forgave me—” Tony made a buzzing noise.

“Nope we’re not doing this.”

“But Tony—”

“Hey Reindeer Games, keep your boyfriend quiet. I’m not hearing this again.” Loki chuckled, pulling James closer.

“You heard him love. He forgave you already. Now? Now you heal. Both of you.” James chuckled, albeit weakly.

“Alright. We’ll heal.”

 

——

“Any word from Carol?” Stephen asked Rhodey as they got headed to the conference room for the meeting. It was the first one since everything happened with Maximoff, seeing as Rogers and the others had just been cleared for missions. The sporadic sightings of Hydra and Hydra bases being used was starting to be a problem, so the Accords Council had requested a team to start to investigate what was going on.

“No, only thing I got was that she was on Xandar. The Guardians should be meeting her there shortly, so once they’re there we’ll hear more.” Rhodey sighed. Once he heard when she’d be back he was planning on having Tony go with him ring shopping.

“We should hear something soon…unless Quill got them lost.” Tony snorted, before entering the meeting room. Rogers, Barton Maximoff and Romanoff were already sitting, with James talking to Sam about something. Scott was listening to whatever it was he was saying, with Vision next to Maximoff speaking to her quietly. Ana and Peter was right behind Tony and Stephen, so once they sat down everyone got quiet as Rhodey started the meeting.

“Alright, the Council has asked for our help in regards to recent suspected Hydra activity. While they can’t completely confirm it is Hydra we can confirm someone is using their abandoned bases and bunkers.” Rhodey started, pulling up a screen with several different bases around the world that had been flagged. “The bigger problem is what’s been found in said bases.” Pictures were pulled up, and Tony saw Maximoff flinch, almost jumping away from the table. Different runes and markings all along the different rooms, along with tomes, scrolls and papers scattered around.

“Now myself along with Loki and the Masters of the Mystic Arts have been looking into what has been found. As of now we’re not sure what Hydra, or at least whoever’s using Hydras bases, are up to. The most we can figure is they’re trying to communicate with something.” Stephen spoke up.

“Have you asked…” Rogers started to ask, looking to Ana. Ana tilted her head, before Riven crept through. The only people who really saw Riven before this besides family was Rogers, Maximoff, Sam and Scott. Barton and Romanoff tensed at hearing the Realmwalker speak.

“They have. I’m the one who deciphered that the runes were for communicating.”

“So we know they’re not trying to summon so far.”

“So far.” Riven hummed. “But we need to make sure we’re on top of this so they don’t get the bright idea of summoning something, let alone attempting such a thing. It could end up bad if so.”

“How?” Romanoff asked.

“They could try to summon something and instead open a gateway that can’t be closed, consuming everything around it as it expands. They could try to use a ritual and instead of whatever they wanted to summon they summon something much, much worse.”

“Like what happened with you?” Maximoff asked in a quiet voice.

“Exactly. Although if it wasn’t for Il Babbo I probably would’ve destroyed everything.” He said thoughtfully. Tony coughed, before clearing his throat.

“Yeah let’s not think what would’ve happened if I hadn’t stopped you.”

“If it—”

“He.” Tony, Stephen, Rhodey, James, Scott and Sam corrected Romanoff. Romanoff swallowed, before continuing.

“If he is so powerful why don’t we have him face Thanos?” Before Tony could snap at her Riven explained.

“Several reasons. One. While I’m in this body I cannot use my full power. If I do it will kill Ana. Two. Even if there was a way to separate us without killing Ana I no longer have my body available. Meaning if I try to unleash my power it could cause irreversible damage not only to myself but to this realm. Three. I would have to travel to him. See reason One as to why that’s a bad idea.”

“You said if you could be separated. Meaning you can’t do what you did to us?” Barton questioned. Unlike Romanoff’s question, his came as actual curiosity.

“No. Yours was possession. Mine is soulbinding. We cannot be separated. If we are Ana will die…and I will not let my soulmate die.”

“Wait so soulmates are real?” Scott asked.

“Yes, just not in this realm. Ana is mine…” Tony noticed Riven hold his wrist, his thumb gently stroking the pulse point. “But there are plenty I have seen be close…” He smirked at Tony and Stephen.

“Sap.” Tony teased.

“I prefer romantic at heart.”

“Anyway.” Rhodey cleared his throat. “I will need recon for these bases, as well as preparation for combat if it comes. Now I know Maximoff you’re still training so you do not have to join in this. Same with Barton I know you were affected once so I understand if you do not want to join.”

“Will you be ok James?” Rogers asked him. James looked over, thinking on it before nodding.

“Yeah. Yeah I’ll be ok. The triggers are gone so there’s no risk on that end.” Tony waited to see if Rogers would argue, but instead he nodded.

“I’m in.”

“Same here.” James said, giving a smirk to his friend.

“Do you need me?” Tony asked. Rhodey paused, thinking.

“As of now no. I’d like you Peter and the twins to be backup. I know whatever is found Loki and Stephen bring to Riven so we don’t really need him on site.” Riven nodded.

“I’m sorry the twins?” Sam asked.

“It’s what are call Ana and Riven.”

“That makes sense.” Maximoff said, having calmed down knowing she didn’t have to go to the bunkers.

“Alright, if that’s all.”

——

Christmas came and went with no issues, albeit they were a little on edge with not only the Hydra issue but the fact that the last message they got from Quill’s team is they were almost to Xandar. That was a week ago. Tony was about to strap Rhodey to a chair with how jittery he was.

“Kinda glad he didn’t go on that mission with the others.” Stephen muttered to Tony as they watched Rhodey sit on the couch, leg bouncing.

“At this rate we may have to sic the twins on him.” Stephen hummed in agreement, before they were interrupted.

“Incoming call from The Benatar.” Rhodey shot up.

“Can we take the call here?”

“Of course Colonel.” From the TV came a hologram screen, flickering to Quill and Carol. Both looked like hell.

“What happened?! Are you guys ok?” Tony jumped up, fearful of what happened. It looked like Carol went through the ringer while Quill was a bit battered and bruised.

“Kinda. I mean we’re alive.” Quill laughed, before hissing in pain as laughing caused his ribs to hurt. “Your girl has some news for you.” Carol rolled her eyes, before turning to them seriously.

“It’s about Thanos.”

“Is he—”

“He’s dead.”

Notes:

Would you look at that. Hm.

 

See you all Friday!

Chapter 18: "Kingslayer, forevermore the apple of my eye"

Notes:

Hello everyone! Thank you again for the love and support, seriously reading your guys reactions made my day! Now, this chapter is short, because yesterday we got some really bad news about a family members health. So I wasn't able to give you my full attention, but I did want to make sure what I wrote already was readable and it will answer some questions people asked.

No real trigger warnings except violence.

Title - Kingslayer by Bring me the horizon w/ Babymetal

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“What the fuck do you mean he’s dead?” Rhodey spoke first, shocked.

“I’ll explain fully soon, I wanted to let you know I’m ok. It’ll take us a bit to get me home cause both my ship and the Benatar are messed up from the fight. Where are the others?”

“Missions.”

“Everything ok?” Carol asked concerned.

“Kinda. Hydra may be making a comeback. Kinda like acid washed jeans, or boy bands.” Tony said offhandedly.

“Seriously?”

“I know its ridiculous anyone thinks those jeans—”

“I was talking about Hydra.” Carol rolled her eyes fondly.

“Yeah. Looks like they’re trying to do their own hocus pocus and commune with something. Or someone. Probably a something.” Carol sighed at hearing Tony ramble.

“You’ll have to fill me in but…let’s set up for a meeting so we can tell you all what happened. For now I need to lay back…” She winced as she moved.

“Get some rest sweetheart, we’ll talk to you soon ok?” Rhodey smiled fondly. Carol gave him a two finger salute before the feed was cut. Tony had to rush to his friends side as he nearly collapsed.

“Hey hey hey she’s ok, she’s fine you just saw she’s ok.” Tony soothed as Rhodey took a shuddered breath.

“Soon as my legs stop being jelly….ring shopping.” Tony barked out a laugh, rubbing his best friends back.

“Ring shopping.”

——

It took a little bit to get everyone back to the compound from the missions they were on for the debrief from Carol. They were in the conference room, waiting for the transmission to come through. While Peter was in school with the others, Ana sat next to Tony, wanting to know what happened as well.

“You alright?” Stephen murmured to Tony, taking his hand under the table.

“I don’t know…like we’ve been getting ready for this guy, hell he’s been haunting my nightmares for years.” He could’ve sworn he saw Maximoff flinch, but he continued. “And now he’s dead? Kinda wanna know who did it.” 


“Transmission incoming.” Friday alerted them, and up on the screen came Quill, Carol, and Rocket.

“Hey guys.” Carol looked a little better but Tony could see her sides were wrapped as she was laid up in bed. It looked like they were in some sort of hospital. “Glad to see everyone in one piece.”


“Glad to see you looking better.” Tony spoke up. “Now, someone wanna tell me how the big scary genocidal maniac is gone?”

“Dude it was insane.” Quill spoke up. “Carol got him down hard before Gamora and Nebula came in and just—” he made slicing motions. “Off with his head!” There was silence before Rocket groaned.

“Seriously Quill? That’s how you’re gonna explain it? Good thing I had the Benatar record while we were in Sanctuary II to rescue Nebula.”

“Ok I remember Gamora mentioning her sister Nebula…what do you mean rescue?” Rhodey asked.

“Thanos had her. Had her strung up in pieces…” Carol said softly.

“Jesus.”

“Yeah it was not pretty, but Gamora was able to get her together and they helped.”

“Helped take down this intergalactic pain in the ass?”

“Lemme just show you.” Rocket grinned, before another video pulled up on the screen. What Tony saw was what looked like a large battlefield, with different buildings in the distance destroyed. Tony didn’t bother paying attention to any of the other fighting, just focusing on Carol who was fist fighting someone…someone large, purple and downright terrifying to see.

That’s Thanos?!” Barton spoke up, jaw slack as he watched Carol and Thanos going at each other, not caring about anyone else. Both looked like they had been run through, whether by each other or the others fighting it wasn’t clear.

“Apparently…” Rogers breathed, watching as Carol caught one of Thanos’s fists. They watched as he then tried to headbutt their leader, only for her not to budge. She then returned the headbutt causing him to stagger back.

“That’s my girl.” Rhodey said, watching as she continued to pummel him. He managed to grab her and throw her, struggling to keep standing. Carol managed to skid to a stop, holding her side.

“You will not stop me!” He yelled, grabbing what looked to be a large double edged sword that had been abandoned to the side. “I will take the power stone and I will—” He was cut off by someone rushing him from behind. Gamora. Her retractable sword that Tony itched to play with (Godslayer, she called it Godslayer) was now embedded in the mad titans chest. He dropped his sword as he twisted to face her, with a look of betrayal on his face. “Daughter…”

“I. Am not. Your. Daughter!” She yelled, and as he faced her Carol lunged punching him hard. He twisted and grabbed Carol by the leg and slammed her down into Gamora just as hard. As he did so Stephen gripped Tony’s hand, the first to notice someone launching themselves from behind Thanos.

“Holy shit.” Tony breathed as he watched a blue skinned person who looked more machine than anything had grabbed Thanos’s sword and swung it down and—

Off went Thanos’s head.

“Holy shit.” Stephen repeated as they watched Gamora help Carol sit up. The whole thing lasted only a few minutes. The feed cut off leaving Carol Quill and Rocket back on the screen.

“So yeah. Thanos is dead.” Rocket shrugged.

“That’s it then? He’s gone and we’re good?” Tony asked, knowing it wasn’t that easy.

“Sadly no.” And there it was. “While he called Gamora and Nebula his daughters, there are others.”

“And I take it they’re not like Gamora and Nebula?” Rogers asked. “Against Thanos and his ways?”

“Yeah that’d make it so much easier wouldn’t it? But no. The Black Order, also known as the Children of Thanos are his most loyal generals. There were four.” Quill explained.

“Were?”

“Yeah Gamora may have gut one of them.”

“May have?” Romanoff asked.

“She did.” Carol spoke up. “She told me she made sure that he was dead.”

“So we have to possibly worry about three others?” Rhodey asked.

“Possibly. We don’t know what’s going to happen to Thanos’s forces now that he’s dead, but for now…we don’t have to worry about him.” The tension that was in the room drained away. Hell Tony felt like tension he had built up for years was slowly seeping away. He felt another hand slip into his, and looked to Ana. She gave him a small smile, knowing he was starting to relax.

“As I said to Rhodey before, it will take me a bit to come back home. Both the Benatar and my ship were damaged during the fight.”

“I’ll let the council know immediately that while Thanos is no more we still have other things to be weary about.”

“So what happens to us?” Romanoff asked. Everyone else paused and looked to her. “We were brought back to go against Thanos. So now what?” Rhodey looked to Carol on the screen, and they seemed to be having a silent conversation. Finally Rhodey looked back to her.

“Seeing as we still have the Black Order to possibly worry about, and now Hydra possibly resurfacing, you’re going to be needed. However that’s something we can discuss with the council later. For now…now we can relax.”

——

When James told Loki Thanos was gone, the mage visibly sagged with relief. Tony watched as he wrapped his arms around his boyfriend, needing the contact. Ana cooked a huge meal which she invited even Rogers and the others up for, and for the first time since the Civil War everyone was at ease with each other. Once everyone was either in bed or in their respected rooms, Stephen drew up a bath and the two men relaxed in the scented hot water.

“So tomorrow I’ll be going to help Rhodey find a ring.” Tony said as Stephen carefully washed his hair. “Doubt he’ll find anything as nice as mine.” He looked to the counter where his ring laid.

“Pretty sure it’s hard to find anything as nice as yours. Had to bribe Loki so much for that stone.”

“And I appreciate that bribing, I really do.” Stephen kissed his shoulder, before carefully rinsing the inventors hair. “Hey Steph?”

“Hm?”

“…You ever think about retiring?” The hands in his hair paused. “I mean not you, you just got your thing but…maybe Avenging?”

“Pretty sure I haven’t been an Avenger long enough to get my 401K.” Stephen teased as he continued to wash.

“Pretty sure you’re actually just a consultant so that may be off the table any way.” The sorcerer chuckled. “…I’ve been thinking about it.”

“Retiring?”

“Yeah. Like I’m no longer a front runner if things go down but…what if I just….retired?”

“Do you want to retire?”

“Maybe?” Tony let Stephen finishing rinsing before leaning back against his chest. “I’ve been thinking about moving out of the compound.”

“Ok…that doesn’t necessarily mean retiring.”

“But I wouldn’t be right there if they need me.”

“Sweetheart like you just said you’re already not called on unless something big happens. Being here isn’t going to change that.”

“So…should we move?”

“If you want to I’m all for it.”

“Yeah?” Stephen tilted his head so he could give him a deep kiss. “Ok…ok yeah. Should start looking around huh.”

“Maybe find a place big enough for you to have a lab…have a library…”

“Are you trying to find a mansion for us?”

“Absolutely. A lab for you, library for the twins and I, a gaming room, huge aquarium for Mia…” Tony thought about it for a moment, before speaking quietly.

“Or we could just build a house.”

“…I like that. I like that a lot.”

“Really?” Stephen chuckled at Tony’s surprised tone.

“Really. Means I can also ward it as it’s being built. So it’ll be perfectly protected.” Tony smiled up at Stephen, kissing him again. It wasn’t until they were toweled off and laying in bed that Tony spoke up quietly.

“So what about me retiring?” Stephen shifted, looking down at his fiancé.

“Do you seriously want to retire? I mean you do have two magic users in the house who could portal you if it was that much of an emergency.”

“…I don’t want to retire.”

“Then don’t.”

“Ok…Stephen?”

“Hm?”

“I love you.”

“I love you too. Get some rest.” That night Tony didn’t dream of portals and alien armies. He dreamed of a large house near a lake and his kids happily laughing as they played in the front yard.

Notes:

I know a lot of people were wondering what was going to happen to the rogues, and they're still not going to just get away with no repercussions, but we now know Thanos is gone! Also the whole idea of Carol being the one to kill him (Or in this case severely wound him) was as we were rewatching End Game my husband pointed out that if Thanos hadn't pulled out the power stone and used it Carol would've won against him. But I wanted Gamora and Nebula to be the ones to finally kill the asshole.

Anyways I should have a bigger update for you Monday, I just couldn't get my head in the game with the terrible news bouncing off my head. I'll see you then!

Chapter 19: "All I am is a man, I want there world in my hands"

Notes:

Thank you all for being so understanding in regards to me having a short chapter. Right now things are stable, fingers crossed it stays that way. This one is all sweetness, I feel like with me cutting it short last time I'd give you some fluff.

Title - Sweater Weather by The Neighbourhood

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tony had told Rhodey about building a new house during one of their outings to find a ring, seeing as Rhodey hadn’t found ‘the one’.

“I think it’ll be good for you. Good for the kids, hell good for Stephen.” Rhodey said as he looked through the different engagement rings the jeweler they were at had. Tony lost count on how many places they had been to but as his best friend he knew he had to come to each one.

“Yeah? I wanna make sure we’re still close to the kids schools…”

“Well I mean you have Stephen and Ana to help teleport. Plus Happy as always.”

“True. I dunno I never expected to settle down with kids you know? Especially after…well everything. So I keep second guessing myself.”

“Well stop it. You’re gonna be fine, hell you’ve been a dad for almost two years now.”

“Wait why almost two?”

“Please, you’ve been a dad since you met Peter, and then Ana.”

“I wasn’t…no…dammit yeah I was.” Rhodey snorted, before Tony continued. “I still need to finalize a wedding planner. Might just go ahead and ask Pep to…Honey Bear?” Tony turned when he finally realized his best friend wasn’t next to him. Rhodey was staring at a display case close to where engagement rings were. Tony came over, and saw what got Rhodey’s attention. They had rings that the signs claimed ‘have the galaxy in them!’ And they really looked like they did. Tony waved the sales rep over. “Scuse me, what are these?” The dark haired woman came over, looking before smiling brightly.

“It’s a new trend, having a ‘galaxy’ on your finger. The gem is actually blue sandstone with clusters of diamonds in them. You can get them in any cut like you would our diamonds, and you can get different colored diamonds as accents.” She pulled a few out to show. The one Rhodey seemed to be focused on was a rose gold band with black diamonds around the blue gemstone.

“It’s perfect.” Rhodey already knew her ring size, and so he had it set up so he would pick it up once he knew when Carol would be back.

“She’s gonna love it.”

——

It was almost New Years eve when Tony finally broke down and asked Pepper for help finding a wedding planner. He also asked if she could find someone to help design the house he wanted, as well as a realtor for a plot of land. For some reason the dream of the house by the lake really stuck with him.

“Of course I’ll help you. I actually already had three different wedding planners lined up, I was just waiting for you to ask.”

“Rude. But thank you.” He waited till she put the files onto his tablet before scrolling. “All LGBTQ friendly right? I will not have some asshole near my kids.”

“Who do you think I am?” Pepper sniffed. “I vetted them myself.” Tony let out a low whistle.

“Perfect as always.”

“Flattery will get you everywhere. Now, where are you thinking as far as this house of yours hm?” After telling her about the dream he had, Pepper already had Friday do a search for plots of lands near lakes. “Do you want to buy the lake as well?”

“Absolutely.” Pepper hummed, looking through what Friday found.

“I’ll have the results of our search shortly. Will that be all Mr. Stark?”

“That’ll be all Mrs. Potts.” When he got back to the compound, he was surprised to find Rogers talking to Riven outside of the elevators up to the living quarters.

“So let me make sure I understand this correctly. You want a sort of protection put on you and the others going into the Hydra bases?”

“Y-Yes…I don’t want what happened with Wanda to happen again.”

“And you thought to ask me?”

“Yes?” At the stare he got Rogers sighed. “Look I understand you don’t have any reason to help but…I don’t want to put anyone at risk like we did before.”

“Why don’t you ask Pater?”

“Pater? Like your brother?”

“No. Pater. Latin for father. Stephen.” Realization hit Rogers.

“Oh! Oh no I…uh…would you want to help us if you were him? I mean after everything I did?”

“And you thought you might have better luck with me?”

“Yeah thinking about it now you have even less reasons to help me.” Rogers chuckled bitterly. “Sorry for wasting your time.”

“Wait.” Riven stopped the super solider from leaving. “I will help you. Only because you have admitted what you did was wrong. And because you’re right I do not want another possession incident.”

“Thank you Riven…really.” Rogers turned to leave, noticing Tony. “Oh, h-hey Tony. Sorry I’ll get out of your way.” Tony watched him move past, before he called out.

“Rogers.” The blonde looked back to him. “Be careful. And if Riven says he’ll help, you’ll be in good hands.”

“I know that Tony. He’s your kid after all.” He gave a small smile before leaving. Tony looked to Riven, a little confused.

“He’s learning.” Riven shrugged. “How was Aunt Pepper?”

“Good, she’s got a few wedding planners lined up for me to look at.” Riven reached out and took Tony’s hand as they entered the elevator.

“Meaning you actually have to figure things out as far as the wedding.”

“Hey I have figured things out!” At the look he got he groaned, leaning against his son. “Ok I’ve done absolutely nothing but…we got planners!” Riven chuckled, and Tony could feel the vibration just leaning against him. “I’m surprised Rogers came to you.”

“I was having a meeting with Uncle Rhodey about the Black Order, and he saw me.”

“Everything ok?”

“Yes, I had gathered information from Uncle Loki and from the Guardians, just so we are prepared if any of them show up. I doubt they will because according to Nebula they don’t know where any of the other stones are. But I’d rather be safe than sorry.”

“I would be too after seeing that giant grape throw Carol around.”

“Speaking of Aunt Carol…did Uncle Rhodey find the ring yet?”

“He did! He’s not picking it up till we know Carol’s coming home, but here…” He pulled out his phone and swiped to show him the ring.

“That is pretty. Granted I like yours more.”

“Of course you like mine more. Your Pater bribed your Uncle Loki for it.”

“I know, I was there.”

“Wait you heard said bribary!? Tell me everything!” By the time they made their way into the living room Tony was laughing at Riven’s rendition of Stephen trying to find something that Loki would want.

“What are you two laughing about?” Stephen asked from the couch.

“Nothing sweetheart nothing at all!” Tony snickered, before going to drop a kiss on Michael and Mia’s forehead. Michael was playing video games while Mia was on her tablet working on some educational games. He then pecked Stephen on the lips, before going to go get changed. By the time he was in something more comfortable Peter was back from patrol which mean he got the same kiss on the head, before he curled up with Stephen on the couch.

“What’re our plans for New Years?” Peter asked as he plopped down, leaning over to see how Michael was doing.

“I was thinking we could stay here if you want. Maybe have a few friends over.” Tony watched as his kids got excited.

“Can I invite Maggie and Robin?!” Michael perked up.

“Oh I could invite MJ and Ned!”

“Sure.” Both rushed to get their phones to text their friends. “What about you Miss Mia?”

“Sarah doesn’t like the fireworks.” Mia said, looking over to her father. “She said she Toby and Rem usually go out of town so they don't hear them.”

“Really?” Mia nodded. “Huh. Did not know that.” Tony wondered if it had to do with her PTSD or if it was for the kids. Michael came back in the living room at that moment.

“Maggie’s checking with Rem but she said it should be fine, and Robin’s all for coming over!” Peter came out, a big grin on his face.

“MJ and Ned are both down.”

“Cool, you guys could play games while we watch the ball drop.”

“Hey Dad?” Michael spoke up. “Can I talk to you?” He glanced at the others. “Alone?”

“Sure…” Tony lead Michael to the boys room before closing the door. “What’s up?”

“Remember when I said I just wanted to be Robin and Maggie’s friend and I love them both?” At the nod he continued. “That’s still true! I don’t love them less but…I think I love them more…both…of them more. Seeing Maggie in the hospital scared me of losing her, and thinking that if something like that happened to Robin scared me too…”

“So what you’re saying is you care for both of them deeply…and you may want to be with them?”

“I can’t choose between the two.”

“And maybe you don’t have to. I’d say talk to them. They both deeply care about you.” He remembered the conversation with Logan. “Why don’t we ask Robin to come over with Logan when the time comes? Maybe a little earlier than Maggie?” Tony remembered Logan bringing up polyamory so he wondered if the man knew more about it than he did.

“Ok. It’s not weird is it?”

“To love more than one person? No. Not at all.” Tony pulled him into a hug. “But you guys need to talk it out. Make sure everyone’s on the same page so no one gets hurt. Maybe do some digging into poly relationships, yeah?” Michael nodded.

“Thanks Dad. I love you.”

“Love you too kiddo.”

 

——

New Years eve finally came, and Tony wasn't surprised at how nervous Michael was. Peter and Ned were trying to get him to play games but he want to wait for Robin and Logan. When Tony texted the man about what Michael wanted to talk about he said he’d bring backup, which he had no idea what that meant.

“Boss Robin, Logan, Jean and Scott are coming up.” That must be his backup.

“Cool, ETA on Maggie?”

“Happy and Miss Potts will be here with her shortly.” When Tony asked Rem about her coming they were absolutely fine with it.

“Sarah and Toby hate loud booms like fireworks. Having a gun go off near you will do that.” Is what Rem told him. When he thought back to the article about Toby being airlifted to the hospital it was mentioned that the bastard who hurt him was shot, by Rem in self defense. So he understood not having loud noises around them.

“Hey Tin Man.” Logan greeted as they left the elevator. “Where’s Michael?”

“Here…” Michael jumped up. Robin smiled at their friend, a faint blush on their cheeks. Oh the kid had it bad.

“Come on, let’s go talk…mind if we take one of the other wings?” Logan asked.

“Sure, west wing is pretty empty right now with Scott and Sam with their families.” Logan lead Michael away with Jean and Scott following. Jean gave Tony a reassuring smile as they left.

“Is Michael ok?” Robin asked.

“He’s ok, he’s just getting some advice.” Robin looked to the west wing, biting their lip.

“Hey Mr. Tony?” Tony looked to the teen. “Ms. Jean and Mr. Scott talked to me earlier…is that what they’re talking to Michael about?”

“I dunno, what did they talk to you about?” He took a sip of his drink.

“About how Mr. Scott and Ms. Jean are with Mr. Logan.” Tony sucked in a breath which caused him to choke on his drink. As he coughed Stephen rushed in from the kitchen and started to pat his back.

“You ok?” He asked his fiancé.

“Peachy.” Tony croaked. “Wait so the three of them?”

“Yeah. Ms. Jean’s room has two doors in her room. One goes into Mr. Scotts room and the other into Mr. Logans room.” Robin blinked.

“Oh…that explains why Logan said he could talk to him.” Robin flushed.

“So…Michael likes me?” Robin asked shyly.

“Gotta talk to him kiddo. But you may wanna wait till someone else comes.”

“I-Is it Maggie?” At seeing the blue haired teen blush further, Tony knew they’d figure it all out.

“Yeah. Yeah it’s Maggie.” At that moment Michael came out red faced with Logan Jean and Scott coming out. Now that Tony knew what to look for he could very easily see how the three of them were together. “All good?” Michael smiled up at his dad, nodding as he went to Robin.

“We’re good.” Michael took Robins hand, before leading them to where Peter and Ned were waiting with games.

“Kid should be good to go.” Logan nodded to them.

“Thank you, all of you.” Stephen smiled, watching as his son leaned closer to Robin.

“Now they need to talk to Maggie.” Jean smiled.

“Hopefully it’ll be a good talk.”

“From what Michael and Robin have said, they’ll be fine.” Scott watched them. “They’ll do better than we did.”

“Really?” Logan just snorted.

“Let’s just say we gave advice we had to learn from, so they don’t make the same mistakes we did.” The elevator opened, and Maggie came out along with Happy and Pepper. “You guys have fun, have Robin text when they’re ready to come home.” The three X-Men left, and Michael motioned for Maggie to come over and play with his siblings. When Stephen asked about what had Tony choked up, he explained their living situation. Stephen just blinked, before snickering.

“Yeah that’d really make anyone choke.” They went to the kitchen were Ana was making dinner for everyone, with MJ helping and complaining about the debate team, specifically Flash.

“Seriously if I have to hear him try to kiss ass any more I’m gonna vomit. On him.” MJ groaned.

“I’m sorry who’s kissing ass?” Stephen asked.

“Flash. I dunno if I can call it kissing ass but he’s like…super ‘nice’ to Pete and Ned, anytime Ana or you guys are mentioned he asks how you guys are, but in that ‘please don’t tell on me’ tone, its just annoying.”

“Wonder why Peter hasn’t said anything.”

“Probably because Flash isn’t really hurting anyone. If anything this is the nicest I’ve ever seen him! It’s creepy.” MJ shuddered.

“As long as he keeps his mouth shut I don’t think it’s an issue.”

“I dunno, maybe you guys can scare him.” MJ teased Ana.

“Don’t tempt us.” She snorted. The rest of the night was nothing but fun and laughs. Michael and Robin had gone off to talk at one point while Ana and MJ spoke with Maggie about a new salon Pepper was talking about taking the girls to, and then the two of them dragged Maggie away to talk.

“Hopefully it’s going well.” Stephen said, noticing they weren’t coming out after a few minutes.

“Friday, everything good?” Tony wanted to eavesdrop but he didn’t want to ever break his kids trust.

“Everything is going great boss.” She sounded pleased. A few minutes later they came back out, Michael holding both their hands. At the small nod Tony broke out into a huge grin.

“Looks like it did go well.” He said softly to Stephen who paused his conversation with Happy to look over.

“Good. He deserves to be happy.” Tony noticed out of the corner of his eye that Ana was watching her brother. The look on her face was unreadable as she held her wrist, thumb brushing along the pulse point. He pulled away from Stephen and went over to his oldest daughter. Ana blinked at realizing Tony was coming over.

“Hey Dad.”

“Hey Tesoro. You ok?” Ana hummed noncommittally, watching Michael. “Are you…” Ana looked to him confused, before it clicked with her.

“Jealous? Not quite. I think I wish I could have what he has…I just…I wish I could feel him sometimes…” She looked down to her wrist. “We’re together, all the time but I’ve never felt him…never touched him…” Tony pulled Ana into a hug, and she relaxed into it.

“I’m sorry hun. I wish I could find a way for you to be together, separately.”

“I know. Riven had been looking before. But everything we find would cause so much damage that he doesn’t want to risk it.”

“You talk to your Pops about it? Or Uncle Loki?”

“Pops yes…Uncle Loki…not yet. I think I’ve given up on finding something.”

“I think you’ll be surprised what you guys can find. Talk to him, ok?” Ana nodded. As the countdown began, everyone got ready, with Stephen and Tony sharing a kiss, MJ and Peter sharing one, and Michael getting two gentle kisses on each cheek from Robin and Maggie.

“So are you guys…partners?” Peter asked. The three looked to each other, seeming to ask permission before they all nodded. “Sweet. Does that mean we can do double dates?”

“Yes! Oh I’ve never been on a date before.” Maggie said, looking to Michael and Robin.

“Neither have I.” Both said at the same time, before laughing.

——

It took almost a week before the council decided anything in regards to the rogues. While they didn’t have to stay in the compound any longer, they had to be monitored wherever they did go. Only ones who took advantage of that were Scott and Barton, while Maximoff spent more time at the Kamar-Taj. She and Vision were spending more time together, and Tony could see the android was happier than he had been before when he was with her.

“I’m glad you're happy Viz.” Tony told him one day.

“Thank you. I didn’t think I could be this happy…she still feels guilt for what happened. And she always checks on me for my boundaries, which…feels nice.” Tony nodded, happy to hear. “I heard you were looking at properties.”

“Ah…you heard that huh?” Tony had talked to the kids recently about moving to their own house, and all of them sounded excited.

“Yes…do you think…do you think we’ll be ok…to the point of finding out own little plot of land?” Tony paused, looking to Vision. He looked so hopeful.

“I think so. I think as long as you both still communicate and check in with one another as far as boundaries, you guys will do fine.”

“She asks about you and the kids.” Tony blinked at him. “I think she wants kids of her own…which I don’t know if I can give to her.”

“You can always adopt.”

“I know. I think that’s why she asks about the kids…and about you. She wants to know how to do it.” Tony hummed, looking back to his tablet.

“Do you trust her?” 


“Of course.”

“Then next time she’s at the compound have her come talk to me. I’ll give her all the resources I have.”

“You’d do that for her?” Tony thought about the conversation he had with Stephen about letting them get close again…and nodded.

“Yeah….yeah I would.”

Notes:

Tony of course being cautious, which who can blame him?

And Michael now has two special someones! The whole 'Jean has doors leading to Scott and Logan's rooms' are actually in the new comics so I knew I had to bring that in.

Also the ring I described is one I found on Etsy it's so pretty and I knew I wanted Carol to have something special. (She feel like a diamond kinda girl) Again I hope you all enjoyed it

I'll see you all Wednesday!

Chapter 20: "With a thousand lies and a good disguise, hit em right between the eyes hit em right between the eyes"

Notes:

Thank you guys again for the love, really appreciate it! Things are still a little shaky at home, but we're getting there.

For now, enjoy!

Trigger warning - some bullying by teachers, misgendering, and mentions of deadnaming

Title - You're gonna go far kid by The Offspring

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Tony and Stephen figured that after the fiasco that happened with Peter’s school they should never be called back into an administration office again. Sadly, halfway through January proved wrong.

“What do you mean Michael’s got detention?” Tony asked the woman on the phone.

“He and Mr. Henderson—” Tony twitched. “Are both going to have detention from Mr. Meade, and he wishes to speak to you when you get the chance.”

“First off. Miss. Henderson.” He growled. “Second. I’ll be there in 20.”

“O-oh you can be here today?”

“Of course I can be there today. Both my fiancé and myself will be there shortly.” He said in a sweet voice. “I’ll see you soon!” He hung up and groaned. “Friday can you text Michael? See what happened?” He went to text Stephen to let him know what was going on.

“I cannot. It seems that someone took Michael’s phone.” That caused him to stop.

“Like stolen?”

“No, if what I’m seeing is right his teacher took his phone.” A pause. “He keeps trying to get into it.”

“What?! Why!?”

“This might be why.” A video popped up. “Michael took this before his phone was confiscated.” It was a video of a short unpleasant bald man in an empty classroom ridiculing Maggie, pointing at her shirt and sneering...while calling her the wrong name. She responded by standing up for herself, telling him that her name is Maggie and that he needs to respect her. It isn’t until he notices Michael recording that he stops and yells at him to hand over his phone. The video cuts but for a moment it looked like the man lunged at him.

“Get Stephen on the phone no—” He was cut off by the telltale sound of a portal opening.

“Friday just alerted me that Michael’s in detention?”

“Oh it’s much worse than that.” He showed Stephen the video before the sorcerer portaled them to be in front of Micheal’s school. When they entered the office the receptionist dropped her pen and her jaw, not expecting both men to appear.

“M-Mr. Stark!”

“Sorry I told you 20…looks like it was only 5. Now. Where’s my kid? Better yet where’s my kids phone?” At the confused look he continued. “My sons phone is top of the line…and shows when someone who isn’t him has it. Apparently a teacher has it?”

“W-well he was using during—”

“No he wasn’t. Get me the teacher, and my kid. Here. Now.” The woman swallowed before making a phone call. “While you’re at it I wanna talk to the principal.” She nodded, making another call. Soon said short man came into the office with Michael and Maggie following behind. Stephen stalked over, ignoring the man for his son. His son who was holding his wrist.

“What happened?” He asked, taking it. It looked like a bruise was forming but otherwise as he moved it it didn’t look sprained or broken. Before Michael could explain Mr. Meade spoke up.

“He tripped on the way here, it’s nothing, really.” Stephen glared at the man who tried to make an excuse.

“I didn’t ask you did I?”

“Mr. Meade hurt me when he roughly grabbed me.” Michael spoke up, loudly. Everyone else in the office stopped and stared. “He took my phone and grabbed my wrist in doing so. Nearly broke my phone too.” Stephen straightened, looming over the man.

“Phone. Now.” He held out his hand.

“I-It’s been confiscated—”

“And I’m unconfiscating it.” Mr. Meade seemed to think on this before pulling out the phone from his coat pocket and handing it to Stephen. One of the rooms across the office opened and a tall woman stepped out.

“Mr. Stark. Doctor Strange. Mr. Meades.” The way she said the teacher’s voice showed she’s not in the mood for whatever this is. “And Mr. Stark and Miss Henderson.” Mr. Meades wrinkled his nose at hearing Maggie be called that. “My office please. I’ve already contacted your guardian Miss Henderson.” Once they enter and are seated, Tony starts.

“Someone wanna tell me why Michael and Maggie are in detention? Or that his phone was taken? Hell you wanna tell me why you hurt my kid?” He glared at the teacher. The principal, Mrs. Balor, looked at him sharply. He flinched back before trying to make excuses.

“Your son was being disrespectful and was using his phone during class! He wouldn’t put it away so I took it from him!” Tony blinked slowly at the audacity, before leaning back.

“Funny thing. My kids cellphones are connected to my personal AI. Meaning if someone tries to access their phone that’s not them I know. And I also have access to their phone in general…say….if they recorded something.” The man paled, and he could already see sweat starting to form on that bald head.

“Care to share with the rest of us Mr. Meades?” Mrs. Balor raised an eyebrow.

“I was just scolding Mr.—”

“Gonna stop you right there. The video shows you blatantly misgendering and dead naming a trans teenager, alone in an empty classroom. Then when you realized my son was recording you got angry and it looked like you lunged at him. Now he has a hurt wrist.” Tony watched as the man swallowed audibly. Before he could open his mouth to explain anything a knock interrupted him. Rem came in with Aziraphale, who instantly went to Maggie. Before Rem could sit Mr. Meades spoke.

“You’re not Chris.” Stephen, Tony and Rem froze, before Rem grabbed the chair they were suppose to sit in and pulled it to the other side of Maggie, getting between the teacher and the teen. “This meeting is for the guardians not—”

“And how do you know Chris?” Stephen asked, raising an eyebrow. Mr. Meades blinked owlishly before clearing his throat.

“W-We go to church together.”

“Have you noticed him missing from church?” Rem questioned, crossing their legs and leaned to the side, blocking the teacher from seeing Maggie further.

“I have…”

“Do you know why?” At the shake of the head Rem looked to Maggie, waiting for permission. At the nod they turned back to the teacher. “He’s currently in jail for child abuse. Can you take a guess as to why I’m here now?” Mr. Meade managed to keep him mouth shut before Mrs. Balor cleared her throat and spoke up.

“Thank you for taking the time to come Mx. Thomas.”

“Of course. Now…someone want to tell me what’s going on?” They said in a clipped, dangerous tone.

“Of course. Mr. Meades had stated that Miss Henderson and Mr. Stark were to be in detention, and that their guardians were to be called for behavior issues, however I’m starting to see that this may not be the case.” Mrs. Balor gave a sharp glare to the man. “May I see this video Mr. Stark recorded?” Tony pulled out his phone placed it down on the desk, tapping it so the video could be projected in front of everyone. As they watched Mrs. Balor’s displeasure was becoming more and more obvious for the bald man.

“I-I didn’t know he-she had a new name!” Mr. Meades exclaimed as it ended. “Just like I didn’t know about this…person being here!” He waved to Rem who face was unreadable.

“Mr. Meades. Everyone was informed that Miss Henderson had a new guardian, along with her proper pronouns and name.” Mrs. Balor said calmly. “I apologize Mr. Stark, Doctor Strange and Mx. Thomas. It appears that this meeting should not have happened, instead I will be having a meeting with Mr. Meades.”

“But what about their detention?!”

“There will be no detention, Mr. Meades. And even if there were I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable with you being in charge of it, as it is I need to investigate as to why you had Miss Henderson in that classroom alone.”

“He was scolding me for my outfit. Said it was too 'girly'.” If the room was tense before, it got much worse.

“Miss Henderson, Mr. Stark. You may return to your classes, have Mrs. Jackson write you a note to return.” Mrs. Balor said, smiling at the two. She ignored the sputtering man next to her.

“Even if I was critiquing his-her outfit they were still rude! Disrespectful! He shouldn’t get away with it!” Mr. Meades slammed his fist onto the desk, causing both Michael and Maggie to jump, both in fear.

“Sit. Down.” Rem said, their voice lowering even deeper as they stood. “You do not talk those kids like that. You do not bully or belittle them and you sure as hell do not misgender them!”

“Mx. Thomas. I understand your frustration, please rest assure I will handle this.” Mrs. Balor stood to get in between the two, although she looked like she would let Rem easily take the shorter man. “Tim, please. Stop talking. You’re already in enough trouble.”

“Oh I don’t think so.” Tony said calmly. “We still haven’t talked about the fact Mr. Meades there hurt my kid. By grabbing him. Roughly.” At seeing Michael’s wrist Mrs. Balor breathed through her nose before turning fully to the other teacher.

“I need you to get your things, and turn in your keys.”

“Y-You’re firing me?!”

“You injured a student and harassed another, did you expect me to just look the other way?"

“And we will be pressing charges.” Stephen stated calmly, almost nonchalantly.

“And they will be pressing charges. Now out. Before I press charges.” Mrs. Meades stared, shocked before he numbly walked out. “I must apologize for my teacher’s behavior. Please understand I do not ever wish our students to feel uncomfortable, let alone be attacked.”

“I didn’t think you would’ve allowed such a thing.” Tony sighed. “But seriously we will be pressing charges against him, not the school. I want you to understand that since you handled everything today.”

“Of course, and I thank you for not doing so.” Mrs. Balor shook everyone’e hands before they left. Michael hugged his parents and Maggie hugged Rem.

“Sorry you guys had to come.” Michael spoke up.

“Nonsense, I was just with Allen.” Tony had no qualms about escaping his wedding planner.

“I was at the Kamar-Taj but you know I’d drop anything for you.” Stephen said, smiling.

“Hopefully I wasn’t pulling you away from something big.”

“Absolutely not. Also Wong and Ana are in charge.”

“I fear for your students.”

——

“Hey Steph?” Tony called from his chair.

“Yes love?”

“Remember a few weeks ago when we had to go to Michael’s school?”

“Yes?”

“Can we go back to that? Cause that shit was easier than this.” They were currently in one of the conference rooms that Rhodey and the others were using for their ‘office’ with all the different information they had found from the Hydra bases. They had asked if Tony could decipher some encrypted files they found. Stephen and Riven were in the corner looking over the latest glyphs and runes carved in one of the rooms.

“Is it really giving you trouble?”

“Kinda. I’m not letting Friday go too deep…I’m afraid they have traps waiting for us in the encryptions.”

“Which means you’re stuck watching everything.” Riven said, looking at the lines of codes flittering around the screen Tony was at.

“Yup.” He said popping the ‘p’.

“What have you found so far?”

“Looks like the communication is phase one. Still working on getting the other phases.”

“That’s what we’ve been finding as well. Sadly if they actually made contact we have no way of telling.”

“Great.” At that moment Rogers and Maximoff came in.

“Hey guys, any update from the newest find?” Rogers greeted.

“Nothing yet.” Maximoff came over, looking through the pictures that were taken from the most recent base. “How was the most recent run in?” They had just had another Hydra attack in Italy of all places. They couldn’t figure out what the goal was, with Hydra causing some damage, some ruckus and then retreating. This was the 4th attack like this.

“Nothing we couldn’t handle. Still don’t know who’s pulling the strings in regards to all this.”

“Yeah pretty sure we got all the head honchos. Any who’re in jail taking credit?”

“None. Any we’ve talked to say there’s no new orders.”

“They could be lying. I could get it out of them.”

“Riven no.” Tony groaned.

“Riven maybe.”

“How…can you do that?” Maximoff asked.

“I have a way to pull knowledge from others…it’s not pretty.” He flexed his claws, and saw Maximoff flinch. "Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you."

"I just hope you never have to use it on us."

"Me neither."

“If it’s something Tony doesn’t recommend I’d rather you not do it.” Rogers said, before Rhodey knocked on the door, interrupting.

“Rogers we’re going to need you. Another attack.”

“Where?!”

“This time in California.”

“Do you need me?” Tony asked.

“Na, not yet, but be ready if we need back up.”

“What about me?” Maximoff asked.

“Yeah let’s have you just in case.” She nodded and left with the others. After a bit Tony spoke up.

“Did I tell you guys she and I talked recently?”

“No, what about?”

“About her adopting. I guess she and Viz have talked about having kids. I gave her Victoria’s information.”

“She has mentioned something about that before at the Kamar-Taj. She was watching one of the younger students there and mentioned how she wished she had her own kids.”

“Yeah. I guess she’s going to be looking for twins, which I can definitely see.”

“Is she and Vision going to move out?”

“Dunno. Viz was asking about us moving and finding our own plot of land.”

“I’m glad they’re doing better.” Stephen said, stretching. “I think they also deserve happiness.”

“Have you forgiven her?”

“No, not quite. But she is taking the steps towards that in my book.” Tony smiled, knowing exactly what he meant. He had been starting to be around the others more, but still very cautious. Something clicked in his mind.

“Did you guys ask her not to use magic around me?” Tony asked. Riven and Stephen looked at each other before looking back to the inventor.

“No…why?”

“I noticed the other day she had used it in the hall, just to open the door while she had her hands full, but as soon as she came into the room she didn’t even twitch her nose to use magic.”

“Wow. She knows you’re traumatized by her magic…we discussed that previously during a training at the temple…maybe she’s being careful since you get triggered by it?”

“Maybe.” The computer beeped next to him. “Alright Fri, let’s see what you got.” He typed away looking at all the files. “Hey guys…” Stephen and Riven stopped what they were doing and came over. “What is all this?” There were scriptures that hadn’t been found in the bases yet. Stephen and Riven scanned over them.

“It looks like they’re going for extreme now. Possible human sacrifice.” Stephen let out a shaky breath.

“Shit, Friday warn Rhodey and the others. Make sure everyone’e evacuated and accounted for. Last thing we need is people being sacrificed for these assholes.”

“What’s that?” Riven pointed at a signature. Any and all documents that were in there were signed off with some scribble of a signature, only an A and a Z being clear.

“I dunno. Friday can we run that through, see if that’s a signature that’s known?”

“On it.”

“It might be whoever’s running the show.” It didn’t take long for Friday to pull up who’s signature that is.

“Friday…I need you to check again. Please.” Tony tensed up.

“Sweetheart?”

“It can’t be his. He’s….shit he’s gone.” He remembered Romanoff and Rogers talk about what they found...in that bunker.

“Who?”

“I just double checked boss, it’s his signature.”

“Call Rhodey, tell him I know who’s behind this.”

“You’re starting to scare us…” Stephen reached out and touched Tony’s shoulder.

“I know…but I need to tell them as well.”

“Tony?” Rhodey’s voice came on, the sounds around him obvious he’s in the middle of the fight.

“Hey Gumdrop, I wish I had better news but sadly I don’t.”

“What’s going on?” He sounded worried.

“Fri open coms for everyone.”

“They’re open.”

“Guys according to the files you all found I know who’s behind this new Hydra.”

“Who?” Rogers asked.

“Arnim Zola.”

Notes:

Oh would you look at that...trouble. Also I can see Tony being extra careful when it came to hacking anything dangerous like Hydra cause he doesn't want Friday to be destroyed like Jarvis did.

See you all Friday!

Chapter 21: "Every day I wake up, then I start to break up, Lonely is a man without love."

Notes:

Thank you all to those who stuck through this story so far, and for those who still give it love and appreciation. I think you guys are gonna like this chapter!

No trigger warnings except Hydra cause...it's Hydra

Title - A Man Without love by Engelbert Humperdinck

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“So this Arnim Zola…he’s one of the ones from the war you encountered…and then you encountered him again in 2014…” Ana reads the information that was pulled up on the Hydra scientist. Rogers nodded, leg bouncing in nervousness. Next to him Romanoff stared down at the tablet reading what Tony found. “And he’s also the one who tested on Uncle James?” Another nod, and they heard Riven growl through her.

“Are you sure this is Zola?” Romanoff asked.

“Either it’s him or someone acting as him. Which considering how his mainframe was blown up…But everything there shows he’s the one in charge this time.” Tony motioned to the tablets. James was next to Ana, with Loki holding his hand. He looked pale and like he could jump out of his skin at any moment.

“So wait, what do you mean a mainframe?” Peter asked.

“He transferred his mind into computers after receiving a terminal diagnosis in 1972. Spangles and the Spy who still annoys me—” He received a glare from the red head. “Found his mainframe in a bunker in New Jersey.”

“Why would this Zola want to use the dark arts if he was able to put his entire mind in a computer?” Maximoff asked.

“Well from what these two said the computers took up a majority of that bunker. Maybe he wants his own body? Maybe he wants to finally destroy the world for Hydra? I don’t know but we can’t let this happen. Even if it isn’t Zola this needs to be stopped.”

“You mentioned before that the rituals are showing they need sacrifices.” Vision spoke up. “Do we know if anyone is unaccounted during the last 5 attacks?”

“We’re working with all law enforcement to see if anyone has gone missing during those times.” Rhodey spoke up. “As of now we have injured but no missing.”

“Friday’s still pulling more encrypted files, but it’s taking a bit.”

“Really? You can’t have her do it faster?” Romanoff scoffed.

“I don’t want another Jarvis situation.” Tony said calmly. She looked down, ashamed. Out of everyone she was the one he still wasn’t letting get close, especially with how she’s been acting out.

“Once you find anything you’ll let us know, right?” Rhodey said, clearing his throat.

“Of course.” After that the rest of the meeting went by quickly. It wasn’t until that evening that Jarvis was brought up again.

“Hey Dad?” Peter asked during dinner.

“Hm?”

“Who was Jarvis?” Tony looked up from his plate, noticing the kids were staring. Ana and Riven knew about him, and he and Stephen talked about him, but Peter and the others didn’t know at all who he was…and who the AI was.

“The human Jarvis, was our butler. He was…he was more of a father to me than my old man.” Tony cleared his throat. “But the Jarvis I was talking about…Just A Rather Very Intelligent System…he was a natural language user interface computer program at first. And then he was upgraded into a full AI system…my first big one. Friday’s big brother.” He chuckled. “He sounded just like him too.”

“Like the human Jarvis?” Michael asked.

“Yeah. Even his dry humor.” He snorted.

“What happened?” Peter asked. Tony told them, albeit skipping some details for his younger kids, about Ultron and how Jarvis went into making Vision.

“So Uncle Vision sounds like Jarvis?”

“Yeah…he does.” He smiled fondly.

“But Uncle Vision isn't Jarvis?”

“No…” Tony sighed. “He’s his own being.” Michael nodded, thinking.

“Do you think you could rebuild him?”

“Hm?”

“Jarvis.” Tony had thought about it, spent countless nights going through the possibility of bringing him back but…it wasn’t something he tried recently.

“Dunno.” He answered. “Tried in the beginning but…it’s something I’ll think about.”

——

“How many ways can I say I want red in my wedding before you understand that’s the color I want?” Tony groaned. Allen was great. Really. But he was meticulous to the point of annoyance.

“There are different shades of red Mr. Stark.” The blonde man smiled brightly at him, pushing his glasses up as he flipped through the catalog.

“Steph baby. Come here.” He called as soon as he heard the portal. Stephen just entered from the Kamar-Taj and walked over, leaning down to see what Tony was looking out.

“What’s wrong?”

“There are different shades of red Stephy. Different. Shades. Help me.” Stephen chuckled and looked through, flipping through it before finding one.

“How’s this?” It looked like a mix of Tony’s Iron Man armor and Levi, who pulled up a corner to touch the sample. It looked close to it, but then when Tony put his hand out and let a gauntlet come through it looked close to the armor as well.

“Perfect. This one Allen.” Allen nodded, notating the one he wanted.

“And the second color?” Tony groaned again, leaning back on the couch.

“Can we do green like your Eye of Agamotto?”

“And make it look like Christmas?!” Both Stephen and Allen exclaimed, before both men look to each other. Both cracked up after a moment.

“Ok, no green. So what instead?” As soon as he asked he blinked, remembering something. “Stephen…your butterflies.” Allen tilted his head as he watched the sorcerer make the same realization before a soft blue butterfly appeared on the catalog in front of him.

“Oh…” He breathed. “I think I can defiantly work with this…” He pulled out another catalog and flipped before holding out a sample that was the exact shade as Stephen’s butterflies. “Does that mean we want to incorporate butterflies into the wedding?”

“I hadn’t thought of that…” Stephen hummed, sitting next to Tony. Levi pulled away and went to their wing, which no one really batted an eye at.

“If so I can make it work perfectly. Do we want just the two colors then?”

“I mean…unless you can think of anything that would work with that?”

“Black?”

“Let me see those three together.” By the time the kids came home they had a better idea of the color schemes, possible themes and more done the last few hours than Tony had done on his own these last few months. “Now we need to figure out wedding parties.”

“What about wedding parties?” Peter asked as he came over, looking through all the stuff Allen left behind.

“Our wedding parties. You know who’s on who’s side?”

“Oooh.”

“I want Rhodey as my best man. Happy. You.” He booped Peters nose. “Ana.”

“I’d have Wong. Christine. Michael if he’s ok with being on my side.”

“I doubt he’s gonna mind at all Pops. What about Mia?” Tony leaned over the coffee table and pulled out a new catalog…one with children’s outfits.

“Flower girl.”

“She’s gonna love that.” Peter laughed. “What else do you guys gotta figure out?”

“Well we gotta figure out a venue, which apparently Pepper has been getting calls with different venues practically begging to host us. Then we have guest list, which as much as people want me to make this a ‘celebrity wedding’ I just want my close friends and family.”

“Loki was already talking about a cloaking spell for wherever we have it so no pesky paparazzi can get through.”

“Remind me to have him come taste test cake.” Stephen chuckled.

“Oooh I wanna come!” Peter exclaimed from where he was looking through the tuxedo catalog. “Also what colors are you guys wearing?”

“Red.”

“Black.” Tony and Stephen looked to each other, before Stephen shook his head. “Blue then.”

“Have it match your robes.” Tony plucked said clothing, causing Stephen to huff a laugh.

“Want me to wear Levi as well?”

“Yes!” Both Tony and Peter said, both laughing.

“He can be your train!”

“Train?” Stephen was lost at first, but then it clicked with him. “Seriously?! No!” Both his fiancé and his son cracked up.

Later that evening when everyone else was in bed Tony and Stephen laid snuggled up in bed, Stephen spoke up.

“How about we take the kids to a new museum?”

“A new one?” They had been to just about every one in New York State.

“Yeah. “I was also thinking….last year we were so busy trying to make sure the kids were safe, and then the Asgardians came, and then the threat of Thanos…we haven’t had a chance to take the kids out to experience the world. One of the students were talking about going to the National Art Gallery in London, and Ana looked interested.”

“Oooh we should definitely take the kids!” Tony sat up a bit, leaning over Stephen slightly. “We really haven’t used that portal of yours to our advantage.”

“Says the guy who asks me to go get him sushi from his favorite restaurant from Japan.”

“It’s good sushi!” Tony leaned down and kissed Stephen, humming. “I think we should do it. Start with the National Art Gallery and then go world hopping.”

“Sounds good.” Tony snuggled back into the sorcerer’s chest, sighing as Stephen began to card his hand through his hair.

“Friday start a list. Best places the kids would want to visit. World wide.”

“On it boss.”

——

“Hey guys, what’s everyone’e plans for the weekend?” Tony asked during breakfast the next morning.

“We’ve got a double date.” Peter motioned to Michael. “On Saturday.”

“I’m gonna sleep over at Sarah’s!” Mia exclaimed, which Tony remembered he had gotten together with Rem on that.

“Riven and I are going over the runes from the latest bunker, otherwise nothing.”

“So nothing planned Sunday?” At the shakes of the heads, Tony looked to Stephen.

“Keep it that way. We’re going on a family outing.” That got everyone’s attention.

“Where to?” Ana asked.

“It’s a surprise!” Groans and grumbles echoed through the kitchen as Tony laughed. He let Rhodey know they’d be unavailable unless an emergency happens, while letting Pepper know that if on social media they suddenly see the Stark-Strange’s pop up in different places of the world. She just shook her head with a smile.

“Those kids won’t know what hit them.” She chuckled.

——

“Dad?”

“Yes Tesoro?”

“Why are we going via portal to this ‘secret outing’?”

“It’s a surprise! Everyone got everything?” Peter had Mia on his hip while Michael had their wagon ready to be pulled. Stephen opened the portal while Ana peered in concerned.

“All set Dad.” Peter said, smiling. They entered and looking around the busy area. “Where are we?”

“London.”

“London?!” Michael asked bewildered.

“Yes London. Look.” Stephen pointed out a building. “That’s—”

“The National Art Museum.” Ana interrupted. “Oh man I wanted to check it out after Laura mentioned it!”

“It has art?” Mia asked.

“Plus other exhibits. They have a really cool Egyptian exhibit.”

“Gyptan?” Mia tilted her head.

“Egyptian.” Peter said slowly. “Mummys.”

“Like a mom?”

“Let’s go show you.” Michael laughed. While Tony and Stephen went to the front to see if there was a map or even a tour, Mia went to look at a display of the pyramid of Giza. Ana kept an eye on her while Peter and Michael peaked into the gift shop. Tony turned and saw Mia talking to a man who looked like he worked there, but seeing that Ana was keeping a sharp gaze on him he didn’t worry too much.

“Alright, got the map.” Stephen said, looking to where he was watching. “Is she making a new friend?”

“Apparently.” Tony huffs. “Alright kiddos let’s go!” He called to Ana and Mia. Mia looked to her father, smiling brightly before running towards him.

The rest of the trip went by smoothly, with Ana being the most excited at seeing everything new. Mia thought the Egyptian exhibit was really cool, with the mummy’s being weird. As always they went to the gift shop, and Tony noticed that the same man Mia spoke with was being scolded by some large woman. Mia lead Tony closer so she could get to where there were these strange hippo looking plushies, and he overheard said woman.

“Don’t know how many time I have to tell you this, you’re not the bloody tour guide are you Stevie?” Mia looked over blinking. She loudly spoke up.

“Steven.” The woman startled looked down to Mia. “His name is Steven. Not Stevie.” The woman glared before noticing Tony right behind her. She cleared his throat before putting on a fake smile.

“Steven….right…did you enjoy the museum?” She asked in a fake happy tone. Mia ignored her looking to the man at the register.

“Steven you were right the mummy’s were cool!”

“Yeah? I’m glad you liked them. Just like I can see you like Taweret.” He pointed to the hippo plush.

“Taweret?” Tony asked.

“Y-Yeah Taweret. She is the goddess of women and children.” Steven blushed. Tony nodded, before adding that to the other gifts everyone picked out.

“Thanks Steven.” Tony smiled.

“T-Thank you for stopping by!” As they left Mia stopped before she turned to the man and waived.

“Bye Steven, bye Marc!” The man Steven (or was it Marc?) waved, confused.

“Who was that hun?” Tony asked as he picked her up.

“Steven. He’s a gift shop worker.”

“I noticed…how did you know his name?”

“He told me.”

“Ok…which one was he?”

“Which one was who?”

“You called him Steven and Marc.” Tony blinked, confused.

“Yeah. Cause that’s Steven. And Marc. Marc isn’t in charge right now, but it’s rude not to say goodbye.” Tony looked to Ana, who just shrugged. Tony had learned long ago not to question when Mia got cryptic.

“Ok then.”

——

It was almost March when Hydra decided to stop playing around and go big. They had only caused a few more attacks before they decided to try going full scale and attack New York City. What was worse is they had some sort of new bots with them, not exactly like the Ultron bots, but they were annoying either way. It was all hands on deck, with Peter and Ana doing evacuations while others tried to take out not only bots but the grunts of the Nazi organization.

“Whoever built these I’m gonna find them, and I’m gonna break their fingers.” Tony said as he flew overhead.

“Are you upset that they’re not as great as yours or are you upset because they aren’t as great as yours so there’s more of them?” Rhodey asked.

“Yes!” He shot down a few more bots, grumbling as he did so. At least they crumbled quickly, but as they did more seemed to replace them.

“Guys we’ve got a wave coming towards us.” James said through the coms. He was sniping up above where Ana was helping people escape so that those around them could get away quicker.

“I’m on my way!” Sam yelled, flying past Tony.

“Iron Man we need you over here!” Rhodey yelled, where a new swarm of bots crawled their way towards where Peter was helping a family who had been in an overturned vehicle.

“On it!” He wished Stephen and Loki were here, but Stephen was in the middle of some sort of emergency, and Loki was in New Asgard with a new delegation coming in.

“Shit shit shit!” He heard Sam yell.

“What’s going on Falcon?!” Rogers asked from where he was fighting several bots.

“They’re grabbing Winter and Voracity—” Tony watched in horror as every single bot froze, twitching slightly…before they all exploded. The two Tony had been fighting only caused minimal damage, but it was enough of a distraction for everyone.

“Everyone ok? Falcon where’s Winter Solider and Voracity?!” Rhodey called. He got no answer. “Falcon!” Tony knew something was wrong, something was off. He quickly flew to where James and Ana had been, only to find a knocked out Falcon. One of his wings was torn to shreds.

“Shit he’s been knocked out. No sign of Winter or Voracity.” Tony scanned the area, finding nothing. “Sam come on man wake up.” He shook him. Sam groaned, before sitting up.

“Fuck…that hur—” He jerked up, looking around. “Ana and James!?”

“They’re not here. What the fuck happened?!”

“The civilians weren’t civilians.” Sam groaned. “Once the bots got close enough they shocked Ana and James with these batons…” Sam looked around and found one, handing it over. “By the time I realized what was going on two bots grabbed me and exploded.”

“Yeah they all exploded. Fuck they were after those two.” He heard Rhodey land, and what had to be Rogers, Romanoff, Peter, Maximoff and Vision. Maximoff’s eyes glowed as she reached out to where Sam had been found.

“Magic…magic had been used here.” She said, looking to Tony worried. “I don’t know how far they’ll be if they used magic to transport them.”

“Friday call Loki and Stephen. We need to hurry if we’re gonna find out where they’ve taken them.” Tony swallowed. “And tell them what happened.” He had to keep calm, keep level headed so he could help the both of them.

“Already on it boss.” Is the only warning they got before a portal opened up with Stephen rushing out. Loki appeared next to him, full battle armor.

“Where are they?!” The mage exclaimed, looking around.

“Gone. Need you guys to help because—”

“Someone used magic.” Loki finished, growing. “I’ll break them.”

“Yeah? Get in line. They got my kid.”

Notes:

*Sips coffee* :D

See you all Monday!

Chapter 22: "She really didn't wanna make it messy She really, really didn't, but the girl gone cray"

Notes:

Hellloooo! Thank you guys again for the love and support for this story!

This week will be the last week of full updates, seeing as November I am doing NANOWRIMO and I'll be only updating once a week for November.

Now. Left you all on a cliffy last time, so let's get this show on the road!

Trigger Warnings - mentions of torture and violence

Title - Hayloft II by Mother Mother

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Can you track them?” Rhodey asked as Stephen and Loki both began to weave spells.

“Trying.” Loki grumbled. “Something is dampening it.”

“Any of the spells we got on Ana working?”

“No, and she wasn’t wearing her jewelry…we’re so weaving stronger spells into her suit when we get her back.” Stephen swore.

“Almost…” Loki twisted and wove his hands in the air before pulling them taunt, and they watched as a little green flame appeared. “Got it.”

“Hopefully they haven’t separated them.” Sam said, which caused Tony a new waive of anxiety.

“Alright, Loki, Stephen and Tony go get them back, the rest of us need to help with evac and clean up thanks to the damage these new bots caused.”

“Tony, please let me come with you.” Rogers stepped up. “I know I’m not magical like Loki and Strange but I know how to fight Hydra.” Tony sucked in a breath, before nodding.

“What about me?!” Peter exclaimed, rushing forward. “Dad—” He whispered it in case anyone nearby heard. “I need to help too.”

“I can’t risk you getting hurt, not with them already having the twins. Please, please stay here ok? I’ll bring her back. I’ll bring them both back.” Tony clasped Peter’s shoulders.

“Promise?” And he could hear the wobbling in his voice, the boy was trying so hard not to cry.

“Promise. Listen to War Machine.” He said in a stern voice, before looking to Stephen and Loki. “Let’s go.” Stephen and Loki both twisted a portal to open to what looked to be a cold snowy area. Tony felt nauseous as they stepped in.

“Where are we?” Rogers asked. Tony opened his palm and Friday pulled up a map via hologram.

“We’re here…not too far from Romania…” Tony looked around “Where are they?” Loki curled his fingers through the green flame.

“This is the last area the spell gave any signal from.” He cursed.

“Fri any known bases or bunkers nearby? Not even Hydra just...military?”

“There’s an abandoned bunker northwest of here, just west of where you are.”Stephen cast a spell to have Roger’s follow them in the sky so that they didn’t lose him as they flew towards the bunker.

“We won’t be breaking any international laws going there?”

“Colonel Rhodes is already speaking to the council in regards to us being here due to a rescue mission.”

“Good.” It took almost an hour before they got to the bunker Friday mentioned, only because each time they got closer a barrier appeared that either Loki or Stephen would have to undo. Whoever took them knew they’d be coming. Finally they approached the bunker. “Fri go ahead and let Rhodey and the others we found a bunker, alert them as soon as we confirm James and Ana are here.”

“Got it, do we want them to come for evacuation once they’re confirmed?”

“Yeah. We may need backup…” He hoped they didn’t.

It looked like the facility had been built into the side of the landscape. They landed not too far from the entrance, and found there were a few soldiers stationed outside, which with one quick throw of Roger’s shield they were knocked out. Loki made quick work of the door and the four men made their way in. They only ran in to a few soldiers, otherwise it was practically empty. Each room they went in Stephen pointed out a few runes that were carved into the walls.

“Those aren’t magical booby traps are they?” Tony asked.

“No…no they are to contain something.” Loki spoke, tone laced with concern.

“Contain what?” Rogers asked.

“I don’t know if I want to find out.” Stephen said as they made a turn down a hall. Loki’s spell activated again so they followed him as they went through deeper and deeper into the bunker. As they turned down another long hall they heard a huge commotion from the room at the end of it.

“He’s behind that door.” With a twist of his wrist the spell was gone and instead one of Loki’s daggers was in his hand. Rogers kicked the door in and quickly threw his shield towards the few soldiers on the right side of the room. Stephen did a quick spell and the few on the left were slammed into the walls, before they went melted into the walls halfway. Only their chest and heads were visible. In the middle was James, chained up like meat, with a thick gag around his mouth.

“James!” Loki rushed to his side and dissolved the chains holding him up with a flash of green. Loki caught him before he collapsed, his arm was deadweight, as he started to try to get the gag off himself. The gag dissolved, and James looked to them frantic.

“Guys, go.” He panted pointing to a door to the right. “They have Ana down the hall. They have a chair ready for her!”

“Oh no.” Tony remembered the ‘chair’ James talked about and was terrified because they had a chair for her and he bolted, Stephen hot on his boosters. The hall felt longer than it probably was, but it didn’t matter. He needed to get there, get his kid back before Hydra did—

He heard screaming. It wasn’t just one person though. He heard several voices screaming and yelling and crashes…all coming from the room at the end of the hall. Stephen grabbed Tony and pulled him back before he touched the door.

“Stephen what—” The door he almost grabbed suddenly had something go through it. It was one of Ana’s ribbons…and it was red with blood. It pulled itself out of the door and they heard a few more bangs before the screaming died down.

“Hold on.” He opened the door with a spell, and inside was…carnage. Tony had wondered where everyone in the bunker was at…he now knew they were here. The room was in chaos, with bodies and blood and what looked like destroyed control panels and other equipment. Standing in the center was Ana…no Riven? He could see claws from their ripped gear, but the way he twitched scared Tony more than ever. His mask and hood were gone, and from the way he was standing Tony could see burns on his exposed back, most likely from electroshock batons. His ribbons were stained red, and shuddered and twisted around the room as if they had a mind of their own.

Someone came in from the door on the other side of the room with a gun and Stephen and Tony watched as they were grabbed by a ribbon and their neck was snapped before they were thrown into another panel. Tony carefully stepped in, and when the boy’s head snapped to him he could see Riven’s black eyes but something shuttered in them, like Ana was right there with him.

“Riven…” Tony felt his stomach twist painfully at seeing the bite guard around his son’s mouth. Riven twitched again, his body rigid as he tried not to move…to lash out. He was panting, and with the screaming gone they could hear a faint chittering sound…and it was coming from Riven.

“Riven…” Stephen called out, carefully walking towards him with Tony. Tony let the armor pull back so Riven could see him fully. Riven twitched again, his eyes not quite focusing on them. As they got closer Tony heard Stephen take a sharp breath, and looked behind their son. There was a chair…albeit broken…but the same type that Tony had seen in the Winter Solider’s files.

“Fuck.” Tony hissed. “Riven, sweetheart?” He tried to sound calm but he was scared. Scared of what they did to his kid. Riven’s body shuddered as he turned, finally looking at Tony and actually seeing him. He whined, his body still twitching a bit. He tried to reach up to the guard but couldn’t get complete control of his arms. “I know, Tesoro, I know…can me and Pater touch you?” Riven’s eyes flitted over to Stephen, and another low whine escaped his mouth. He gave a jerky nod, and as soon as he did Stephen reached out and touched the guard, causing it to snap loose and drop to the ground. That seemed to cause whatever had him so tense to snap, because he was tipping over…he was falling. Tony grabbed him, and helped lower him to the ground with Stephen on his other side. Riven began to gasp and gag, almost dry heaving.

“We got you, we got you.” Tony heard Stephen say as they both held onto him.” After a moment they realized he was starting to cry, black tears falling. Levi pulled from Stephen and wrapped around Riven giving the Realmwalker another source of comfort. Tony heard someone walking towards them from the hall they came from, and Riven tensed. Stephen leaned to the side to see, and sighed in relief.

“Who—” Tony started to ask but Stephen quickly spoke up.

“Its ok sweetheart, it’s just Uncle Loki and Uncle James, ok?” Riven swallowed, starting to calm down and nodded. “I’m going to go let them know we got you, and we’re gonna get you out of here alright?” Again, another shaky nod. Stephen pulled away and left the room. He heard hushed talking before Loki and James came in, with Rogers staying back. Loki kneeled down and reached out, before stopping.

“Riven…can I touch you? I want to see what they did to you…” Riven looked up, frantic as his breath quickened, before nodding. Loki touched the sides of his head, eyes closing. Riven finally seemed to calm down, eyes closing. “By the Norns…” He whispered.

“What?” Tony asked.

“They…tried to separate them.”

“Meaning they know about Riven…” Stephen said quietly.

“Exactly. Their mind is in shambles…we need to get them home, and to some of our healers. They helped with my—” Loki swallowed. “Madness.”

“Riven isn’t mad!” Stephen hissed at him.

“I know that!” Loki hissed back. “But when I was still dealing with the effects from being under The Others wrath they helped fix my own broken mind. They just called it madness because no one really knew what to call it, and I would not let them know what was really happening. But Lady Eir….Lady Eir knew. She knew what happened and she helped heal me. So we must get her help.” Rogers put his ear to his com he still had, before turning and talking quietly. Rhodey and the others must be here.

“Alright Tesoro we’re gonna get you out here ok?” Riven peeled his eyes open, nodding again before leaning against Tony.

“Rhodey has the jet, ETA 1 minute.” Loki helped James seeing as he was still a little weak, while Tony went to pick Riven up. “Tony…” Rogers came closer. “I can carry him.”

“I’ve got him just fine Ro—”

“Tony you’re shaking. Badly. And I know Strange wouldn’t be able to handle the weight with his hands…I can carry him while your cloak wraps itself around him for warmth.” Tony looked down and saw his hands were indeed shaking badly.

“Riven, are you ok with Rogers carrying you out?” At the soft whine he continued. “Pater and I will be right here with you ok?” A pause, before another nod. Levi wrapped around Riven carefully, before Rogers picked him up. “Let’s go.”

When they left the bunker they found Rhodey, Sam, Maximoff, Vision and Peter waiting.

“Oh my god.” Peter breathed, staring at Riven. “Wha—”

“We’ll explain everything once we get him stable at the compound.”

 

——

“Christ.” Rhodey exhaled once everyone was updated on what had transpired. Riven was in the compound med bay, with Lady Eir by his side helping. Tony hated leaving the twins alone but he needed to let everyone know what happened. Wong had gone to the bunker to find if there were any other symbols or runes that Loki and Stephen hadn’t noticed. “And Lady Eir thinks she can help?”

“Yeah, Loki already talked to her about what he found.”

“How did they know about Riven?” Maximoff spoke up.

“I don’t know. Besides close friends and family no one knows about him…unless it was someone from the Kamar-Taj?” Tony looked to Stephen.

“The other masters are questioning the students now.”

“What about council members?” Vision questioned.

“Only a few know, but we’ll look into that too.” Tony sighed, leaning back in his chair. Peter had let Michael know what was up, and only told Mia that Ana and Riven were hurt. Once they got the ok from Lady Eir would the kids then come down to visit. Until then it was only Tony or Stephen who were allowed. “Most of the panels in the room were destroyed, so I don’t know if we can get anything from them about what the true goal was. Any news on those bots?”

“Actually we were able to find some were working, albeit not on the room they kept Rivin in, so we’re working on that. Once we know anything we’ll let you know.”

“I’ve requested the masters help on finding out what additional magic was used during that attack.” Stephen spoke up. “They’ve agreed to help in any way they can.”

“Alright. Not much we can do now.” Rhodey said, standing. “Tones. Stephen. Go see your kid, yeah?”

“I’m going to go check in on Michael Mia and Peter.” Stephen said, standing as well. “See if Lady Eir has any news, and if so I’ll bring them down.”

“Sounds good.” When Tony got to the med bay, he peeked in before entering the room where Riven and Lady Eir were.

“Anthony.” Lady Eir spoke softly, hand never leaving Riven’s forehead.

“Lady Eir.” He sat down, looking at his son’s body. He looked pale, and Tony reached out to touch his hand but paused, looking up to the Goddess. At the nod he took it, and hated how cold he felt. “How is he?”

“He’s…not fighting me. So there’s that.” She chuckled. “He’ll be ok. It is not like Prince Loki was before…we’ll have to do healing sessions for a while before he’ll be back to 100%.”

“Loki said they were trying to pull them apart.”

“Yes…the damage in his mind shows that as well. I do not know how they thought that’d be wise.”

“I don’t either.” After about an hour Lady Eir bowed before taking her leave.

“Fri? Let Steph know the kids can come down.”

“Of course.” A knock startled him, and he turned to see Rhodey standing there.

“Hey…”

“Hey. How are they?”

“Still sleeping. Lady Eir’s got some work to do…” Tony sighed. “You got news?”

“Yeah, they found shipping transcripts for the bots” He held out a tablet to Tony. He took it and looked at what was found.

“Where the fuck is Latveria?”

Notes:

Oh look...another cliffy.

whoops!

See you all Wednesday!

Chapter 23: "But I won't let this build up inside of me"

Notes:

Helloooo everyone! Again thank you for the love, it makes my day. Now I know a lot of you were questioning about Doom, and hopefully I do him justice. (I had to drag my husband over to double check my work haha)

Trigger warnings - some descriptions of violence.

Title - Vermission Pt. 2 by Slipknot

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“You weren’t too far from it when you found James and the twins.” Rhodey pulled up a map, and yeah they weren’t too far from it.

“So what, they just shipped Hydra fucking bots?”

“We’ve already contacted the UN about this, however Latveria isn’t a part of the UN. So we’ve had to reach out to their Monarch.”

“Monarch?”

“Doctor Victor von Doom.” Tony snorted.

“Sounds like a cheesy villain from a 60s cartoon.” Rhodey rolled his eyes. “When are we going?”

“Going?”

“To go talk to his Doomship?”

“Oh no there’s no we.” Rhodey glared.

“Why? I just want to talk.” Tony grinned viciously. Before Rhodey could speak they heard a groan from the bed. Tony turned and saw it was Ana who was waking up. “Ana? Sweetheart?” Her eyes fluttered and as she looked over to Tony blinking he saw that faint shuttering again…as if Riven was right there instead.

“Dad?” She tried to sit up but hissed in pain.

“Easy kiddo…what all do you remember?” She laid back, thinking. Tony took her hand again, his thumb gently stroking her knuckles.

“I remember a sharp pain in my back—”

“—We’re sealing that up real quick.”

“And I remember being dragged away…and then we appeared in a room? They took Uncle James awa—Uncle James!”

“He’s ok, he’s fine, promise.” Tony soothed. “What happened afterwards?”

“They…dragged me to a room….there was a chair…and I couldn’t’t…dad I couldn’t use my magic…couldn’t use my ribbons…something was blocking it.” Tony looked to Rhodey, who was already on the tablet getting this information down so they could consult their magic users. “They got the bite guard on me…I may have bitten one of them.” She gave him a small smirk.

“That’s my girl.”

“Then Riven took over, but when he did it…hurt? It’s never hurt. Not since the first time…in the church.”

“What else?”

“That’s it…I…Riven shoved me back so far I couldn’t feel or see anything…and then…I woke up here.” Ana blinked. “Riven’s quiet…abnormally quiet…what happened?”

“Loki and Lady Eir both confirmed…they were trying to pull you both apart.” Ana’s eyes widened and she touched the center of her chest, right where Tony had seen Riven touch when talking about her.

“But he’s still here…”

“He’s still there yeah. He managed to get out and he took out everyone.” Ana closed her eyes, pausing as if trying to talk to Riven.

“He…sounds so scared…what the hell did they do?”

“Do you remember the chair? From the Winter Solider program?” Tony watched as his older daughter paled.

“Oh shit.”

“Yeah…you might’ve noticed the sides of your head sting a bit…” He reached up and touched where there was very faint burn marks on her temples. She hissed at the touch before sighing.

“And they’re dead?”

“The ones who did this? Yes. We have a few still that the others didn’t kill.” Rhodey speaks up.

“What happens now?”

“Now Tesoro? You’re gonna get bombarded with your siblings, and coddled by me and your Pops, and you’re so not going out on any patrols or anything until we clear this up, got it?”

“Normally I’d try to fight you on going out but…I don’t think I could handle it right now.”

“I’ll let the council know you’re out for a while due to this.” Rhodey speaks up. “I’m glad you’re ok Ana. And tell Riven I’m glad he’s ok too.”

“Thanks Uncle Rhodey.” As soon as he left they heard the telltale steps of Ana’s siblings. As soon as Peter enters and sees her awake he reaches out hugs her, careful of her back. Michael is next, looking relieved she’s ok but still so scared of what happened. Stephen has to bring Mia in, she’s crying at knowing her older siblings were hurt.

“Ana…” Mia whined, reaching out to be held. Peter and Tony help her sit up with the hospital bed before she takes her little sister in her arms. “Hurts…”

“I’m ok…Riven’ll be ok…”

“Can we see him?” Peter asked. Ana bit her lip, before closing her eyes. The shift isn’t as smooth as it normally is, their body twitched slightly before Riven’s eyes open.

“oh…” he breathed, blinking as he took in everyone’s worried faces in. “Hi.” Instantly he’s bombarded with bodies crashing into him, albeit trying to be careful of his back and his head, all talking about how he was and how worried they were. He looked over to Tony and Stephen, both looking just as worried. He gave them a watery smile as he relaxed in the comfort of his family. After everyone calmed down, Stephen spoke up.

“Loki and Lady Eir said they tried to pull you apart…how?” Riven looked up to him, before curling closer to Mia. The little girl clinged like a koala to the Realmwalker, occasionally sniffling. “If it’s too much—”

“Not too much just…still can’t believe they tried.” He let out a shaky breath. “They thought if they used the chair to break down Ana they could use the runes and the spell they had to pull me out of her.”

“Runes?”

“There should be runes around the chair.” Tony looked to Stephen who looked surprised.

“I’ll have to let Wong know to look…you may have covered them with…” Riven grinned, fangs bared.

“Good. I don’t remember much once I was out of the chair.”

“How were you able to use your ribbons? Ana said they were blocked.”

“There’s runes in the room…when I broke out of the chair I took a piece of the metal and threw it into the one of the runes, breaking the spell.”

“The ones along the wall?”

“The very same…after that things…get a little hazy.”

“Dunno if it was blood lust or not all things considering.”

“Either way…what they were able to do, I’m not…I’m not ok…” Riven ran a clawed hand through his hair, pulling a bit. “Everything feels wrong…I haven’t felt like this since the bond was fresh 14 years ago.”

“You’re gonna have sessions with Lady Eir for a while, to help heal what they did.” Tony reached out, taking Riven’s claw that was tugging on his hair and holding it.

“Alright.”

“Do you remember the spell they were using?” Stephen asked. Riven paused, before shaking his head.

“I can’t…it’s not…it’s not there.” The fact he couldn't remember caused him alarm.

“We’ll figure it out.” Stephen soothes, knowing he was starting to panic. “For now, you’re going to rest, ok?” At the nod, Stephen put an arm around Tony and watched as their son started to relax and doze off, surrounded by his family.

——

“What do you mean I can’t go?” Tony growled at his best friend. It was a few weeks later, and they were arguing outside of Rhodey’s office.

“I mean you can’t go.” Rhodey crossed his arms. “We do not need an international incident with you going in repulsor happy.”

“I’m not going to go in ‘repulsor happy’.” Tony calmly states. “I just wanna talk to him.”

“No. It’s bad enough Loki’s coming.”

“Oh come on why’s Loki going but I’m not?”

“Because Anthony—” Loki speaks up behind him. “I’m not going to skin him alive, even if I wish to.”

“Also because you’re going to be our little lie detector.” Loki rolled his eyes at Rhodey’s comment.

“That as well.”

“How are you gonna be a damn lie detector?” Tony asked.

“God of lies.”

“Okay fair point.” Tony sighed. “I just want to go see if what this asshole said was true!” When Latveria finally got back to them, they were informed that the bots were shipped out without permission and were not to be used by anyone outside of Latveria, let alone Hydra. Doctor Doom had assured the UN that those who did this had been taken care of. When questioned what was done they were told those involved had died. When questioned further if they had been sentenced to death, Doom simply said,

“No…they all died in prison. Tragic really.” Which Tony didn’t believe. No one really did. But Doom was allowing a few members of the accords council along with Rhodey and apparently Loki to discuss this slip up of Latveria security.

“How do we know he’ll behave?” Tony jerked a thumb in Loki’s direction.

“Because James asked me to…” Loki sighed dramatically. “As much as I’d like to burn the whole damn country to the ground, he pointed out that it wouldn’t be right…and that I should behave.” He pouted slightly.

“Oh he’s got you whipped.” Tony teased.

“Shut up, like you wouldn’t do the same for Stephen.” He had a point.

“You’ll keep us in the loop?”

“Of course.” Tony hated not going, but finally relented and headed upstairs, sadly to an empty bed. Since the bunker rescue Stephen had been busy with Wong looking into the runes that were used to try and pull Riven out. When they told Wong about the chain of runes being broken he had actually pointed that in the corner of the wall there was a piece of metal sticking out of the wall, cutting a rune in half.

When he walked into the living quarters he saw Ana was sleeping on the couch, with her head in Michael’s lap while her legs were thrown over Peter’s. Mia was curled up on her stomach like the koala she was, also napping.

“Hey dad.” Michael said softly.

“Hey Bambino. How is she?” Both Riven and Ana found they had less energy now, meaning more naps for them.

“Tired. She only got halfway through her book.” He held up said book next to him. “When’s Pops coming home?”

“Soon. He said he was going to be in New Orleans for a few days at least.” Apparently someone there might know more about these runes than the Masters of the Mystic Arts.

“Good. We should go out soon. Especially since we couldn’t last week for their birthday.”

“Dunno if that’s safe…” Tony sighed.

“If we do a full family outing?” Peter raised an eyebrow. “You think they’d try anything with Doctor Strange, Iron Man, Winter Solider, Loki of New Asgard, War Machine, Falcon and even Antman and Wasp around?”

“They did this to them during a mission! Others were around!” Tony argued.

“Yeah, that was during a mission Dad. A. Mission. Chaos everywhere. We’re talking about going to a museum or the zoo or hell even down to the park! They need that right now.” Tony knew he was right. Since the bunker everyone had been on edge and normally they’d go out at least once a week as a family, they now were on lockdown. He hated having to do that during their birthday as well.

“Once Pops gets back and your Uncles get back from Doomville we’ll figure it out. May not be everyone but we can try to get everyone ok?” Peter nodded, satisfied. He sat next to the boy, pulling Ana’s feet onto his lap and wrapping an arm around his shoulders. “Now. What are we watching?”

“Pacific Rim. Then Pacific Rim: Uprising if these two are still asleep.” Michael started to card his hand through his sister’s hair, causing her to sigh and relax even more.

“Sounds like a good night. Chinese for dinner?”

“Chinese for dinner.”

——

Cuddle piles had been a more frequent thing since Riven was released from the med bay. As such Tony felt something move around him where he laid on the pile of blankets and pillows with the kids, and it jerked him awake. He looked down to see Levi wrapping around them all. He blinked the sleep out of his eyes and he tilted his head to see Stephen looking down at him, exhaustion clear in his eyes.

“Hey.” He whispered.

“Hey yourself. Get down here.” Tony carefully pulled his arms from around Ana and Michael up to make grabby hands at his fiancé. He chuckled and leaned down, taking one hand and kissing the palm of it. “That’s not getting down here mister.” He grumbled. His grumbling woke up Mia, who scrubbed her eye with her fist before seeing Stephen.

“Papa!” She whispered loudly, trying to untangle herself, which of course meant everyone else woke up.

“So much for letting you all sleep.” The sorcerer huffed a laugh. Levi pulled away and wrapped Mia up and levitated her to Stephen while she giggled the whole way.

“How was New Orleans?” Ana asked, yawning.

“Good. Managed to meet someone who is going to look into a few sources on those runes they used. See if we can’t figure out specifically what they’re trying to do. Loki and Rhodey back yet?”

“They’re due in tomorrow.” Tony stood now that he was free of children, and kissed Stephen. “Missed you.”

“Missed you too.” He then kissed Mia’s forehead. “Missed all of you.” He looked to Ana, seeing the bags under her eyes. “Still having nightmares?”

“Yeah…even Riven can’t help with them…Lady Eir has tea for me to drink but…it’s gross.” She wrinkled her nose at the thought of it.

“I’m sure it’s not that bad.” Tony moved behind her and mouthed to him ‘It’s that bad’ with a gagging face. “Ok maybe it is? Let me try.”

“I’m gonna make hot cocoa in the meantime.” Everyone agreed to having cocoa, and they all made their way to the kitchen. As Stephen told the kids of the sights he and Wong saw in Louisiana, Ana got to work making the cocoa. Tony pulled out the jar of herbs Lady Eir gave Ana and let Stephen smell it.

“By the Vishantii that’s horrid!” He barely had it under his nose before he was gagging.

“Try drinking it.” Ana said bluntly.

“Drinking what?” They turned to see James coming in, looking just as exhausted.

“That tea…if you can call it that.” James scrunched his face in disgust. No one wanted that tea.

“I hope Lokes can find a way to make it…better….when he gets back.”

“Nightmares bothering you too?” Stephen asked.

“Oh yeah…ever since the bunker I have nightmares that I’m…there and what’s worse is I’m not alone…” He glances to Ana, who continued to make cocoa. She had enough mugs for everyone including James.

“I feel like everyone’s gonna nap once we have those two home.” James nodded, and once the cocoa was completed he helped Levi of all things to carry them out to the living room. While everyone else curled up in the cuddle pile he started to go to Loki’s chair but Tony stopped him.

“You’re more than welcome to come lay with us Frosty.” James blinked, looking to everyone else.

“You sure?”

“Nightmare club remember?” Ana said, scooting so he could curl up next to her.

“Nightmare club.”

The next morning when Loki and Rhodey came up from the jet, they found Tony and Stephen surrounded by the kids with James somehow now in between Ana and Mia.

“Miss Friday please tell me you have a picture of this.” Loki said softly.

“Of course. Shall I have it set to be framed and sent to your room?”

“Absolutely.”

——

“Ok, what did we find out with your little field trip?” Tony asked as he sipped his coffee. Everyone was in the conference room for a meeting with Rhodey and Loki. While Peter was at school Ana was there, ready to find out if they figured out what was going on.

“Well for one thing, Doom’s kinda weird.” Rhodey started.

“Kind of?” Loki snorted. “The man had a metal mask on!”

“…a metal mask?” Rogers asked, confused.

“Apparently he was scarred during an accident. That isn’t why I think he’s kinda weird. Everything around them was all about Doom. Hell they were getting ready for ‘Doom Day’.”

“The fuck is a Doom Day?!” Tony exclaimed.

“A national holiday according to its civilians.” Loki said bluntly. “But no one was unhappy. Hell if it wasn’t for the creepy Doom bots—”

“Doom bots?”

“Shush Anthony, yes Doom bots. They have the same masks as Doom. And they were everywhere. The bots used in New York weren’t even fully finished.” Loki sighed. “But I digress, there wasn’t anything out of place in regards to its civilians. They truly seemed happy.”

“That sounds insane.” James said.

“Hence the kinda weird.” Rhodey shrugged. “But otherwise the country was fine…besides this hiccup Latveria has been a neutral and peaceful country.”

“And the prisoners?”

“Their deaths were odd.” Loki spoke up. “They showed us where they had been kept and there were…burn marks.”

“Like they were set on fire?” Maximoff asked.

“No, like human combustion.” Rhodey explained. “I saw the footage…they literally self combusted.”

“I’d say Doom set it up but he wasn’t even near the prison when they died, and it was done via magic.” Loki spoke up. “Which brings me to my next concern about Doom.”

“What’s that?” Stephen asked.

“He’s a magic user.”

"Are we sure he didn't do it then?"

"No, this wasn't even at his skill level, he even admitted to that."

“Do we think he did help Hydra? Magic was used during that last mission.” Romanoff asked.

“No. No I don’t think so. He had such hatred for the damn organization he was disgusted that his precious bots were sent to them. And he wasn’t lying.”

“Hell I’m not a God of Lies and I could tell he wasn’t lying.” Rhodey said. “He cursed Hydra in several different languages when we brought it up.”

“So now we just need to keep an eye on him?”

“Correct. For now there’s nothing more the UN or the Accords Council can do.”

“Joy. So now we’re back to square one.”

“Not quite. Friday finished pulling the security feed from the bunker. I wanted to wait till everyone was together before we looked at it.” Rhodey said, turning so the screen behind him activated. It showed the room that they had dragged Ana into. Several people in lab coats and robes were waiting as the two guards dragged her in, before she bit one of them, going straight for the neck. That explained some of the blood on her. She got backhanded hard, before they put the bite guard on her. Tony felt Ana tense next to him, and he looked over.

“You don’t have to watch this.”

“I know…but I need to know what they did.” She said calmly, watching as they strapped her in. Another person came into the room, and they heard Rogers take a sharp breath, while James tensed.

“Holy shit.” Rogers breathed.

“What? You guys know him?” Tony looked at the balding short man who came in with a lab coat.

“That’s Zola.”

“Wait like Zola Zola?! Nazi Zola?!” Tony startled.

“Yeah. He doesn’t look any different then he did back—”

“Back in the 45.” James croaked, staring. “He looks exactly like he did back in 1945.”

Notes:

So yes. Someone stole from Doom, and one thing I always found when looking into Doom was his love for his country and making sure his people were happy and prosperous. Just seems weird to anyone outside of Latveria...especially when there's a 'Doom Day' (And yes, it is real I had to double check. The date is whenever Doom feels like it so...)

This Friday will be the last Friday until November is over, remember I'm posting only once a week starting next week. I decided on Wednesday being the day so that you guys can enjoy a new chapter in the middle of your week. :D

See you all Friday!

Chapter 24: "Do you have enough love in your heart, to go and get your hands dirty?"

Notes:

Aaaah thank you all again for the love and support!

Now, DO NOT FORGET. Today's the last upload before Wednesday, and I will only be updating Wednesdays since I am doing NANWRIMO this year (hopefully)

I know technically there's a Monday still in October, but my husband has been sick meaning I've been working and taking care of him, my mom (who we take care of) and the house. I am. Exhausted. Also pretty sure I'm starting to get sick -_-;

I'll try to make sure the chapters are a bit bigger so you guys get more during each week but either way, November's gonna be slow.

Title - Dirty by Grandson

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“So Zola is alive? Like alive alive and not just a computer program?” Rogers asked, watching the video further. On the screen they watched as the man walked over to Ana, but never stepping over the obvious runes around the chair. Others were going in and out of the circle to prep everything.

“That’s impossible right? Also he died much older than what he looks there.” Rhodey questioned as he looked through his tablet. “He died in 1972.”

“Supposedly yes.”

“He never got too close.” Ana spoke up, watching. “Almost like he was afraid of going near the runes…or near me.”

“I’ll have to double check those runes and speak with my associate in New Orleans.” Stephen spoke up. “He specializes in necromancy, so he might be able to tell us what we’re looking at.”

“You think he’s been raised from the dead?” Romanoff asked.

“You don’t?” They watched the video further to see him leave; the others working around the chair and finally began to use electroshock on the teen. Her eyes instantly went black with Riven taking over, taking the pain. He snarled as they stood around the circled and began to chant, but the feed didn’t have audio. Riven tugged on the metal straps before tearing one off, and using it to slash the neck of one of the Hydra members chanting right in front of him. He then threw it towards the corner, and as soon as it was embedded all hell broke loose. He didn’t have mercy on anyone in that room, and on anyone who came in afterwards. The video ended, and Rhodey cleared his throat.

“Alright, we’ll have Stephen look into this, meanwhile Ana has been taken off the team until we get this resolved, seeing as they want her.”

“Can we help with any of the patrols she was doing?” Rogers spoke up. “I know she would normally do them with Peter but…” He looked to Tony and Ana for permission. Ana turned to Tony, eyebrow raised. He gave a small nod to Rhodey.

“Sure. I”ll also let the Defenders and the X-Men know so we can still have plenty of help.” After that the meeting was adjourned, and Tony remembered what Peter had said the day before. He waited till Ana and Stephen left, saying he needed to speak to Rhodey and the others.

“Hey Cap.” It felt weird to call him that after everything, but not in a bad way. Rogers paused, turning and smiling shyly at Tony.

“Yeah?”

“Mind if I get a favor from you? From both of you actually.” He glanced to Romanoff. She crossed her arms, but tilted her head to listen. “It’s about Ana, and missing her birthday.”

“Missed her birthday?” Rogers asked worried.

“We couldn’t go out and do anything last week for her birthday and Peter pointed out we should try to do something now that Stephen’s back…”

“But you’re worried since Hydra’s active and trying to go for her.” At the nod, Rogers smiled softly. “Tell me what you need.”

——

 

“Whatcha up to Tesoro?” Tony asked Ana a few days later. She looked up from the book she had.

“Looking at one of the books Rintrah had gotten me.” While they couldn’t go out for her birthday, she still got plenty of books and novels from not only her family but her friends from the Kamar-Taj.

“Which one is that?”

“The complete paintings of Van Gogh.” Perfect. They originally were going to go out for her birthday and the book would’ve made much more sense, but it was still good.

“I like some of his works. Think you can get ready to go out in about twenty?”

“Out where?” She asked skeptically.

“It’s a surprise.” Her eyes narrowed, but she got up anyway to get changed. Everyone else was waiting downstairs, ready. Once she was ready and they headed down Tony had Friday alert the others. Downstairs they found only Stephen and Loki, both ready to cover Ana in different spells and wards. She raised an eyebrow to Tony.

“Isn’t this a little much?”

“No.” All three men said. She snorted.

“Ok then. Where’s everyone else?”

“You’ll see.” Loki said gleefully. “Alright, that should do it.” Stephen opened a portal, and when they stepped through they found themselves outside a circular white building. Peter, Michael with Mia in his arms, James, Rhodey, Vision in his human disguise and even Maximoff standing there.

“What—”

“Surprise.” Tony said as he leaned over and kissed her now healed temple. “Welcome to the Van Gogh Museum.” Ana blinked, before looking up to him.

“Van Gogh Museum?”

“Yes, in Amsterdam.” Ana’s eyes widened.

“Seriously?”

“Seriously.” Stephen took her hand, and they all headed in. It wasn’t until a few minutes after they had started to look around the gallery that Ana started to catch on. James and Rhodey were standing further away, keeping an eye on those around, while Vision and Maximoff looked like they were gazing at a painting, but was actually keeping an eye as well. She noticed that most had earpieces on and were talking quietly in them.

“What’s going on?” She asked Tony.

“Well since we still don’t know where Living Dead Nazi is and I hate we couldn’t bring you out like we planned last week, I had some help in keeping an eye on things.”

“Help?” Tony tilted his head carefully, and Ana gazed up. She noticed that a few floors up on the stairway was Sam, and as she continued to follow his gaze she saw Romanoff on the floor above them, looking like she was observing a painting but was really watching them. She turned to Stephen who was behind her and caught Rogers near the exit, with a baseball cap of all things. “Does he really think he’s not obvious?”

“I mean, it worked last time Hydra was after him.” Tony snickered. He had said the same thing when he saw Rogers and the others before they were portaled to the museum earlier.

“Ok that’s a story I want to hear.”

“I’ll let him tell it.” Tony watched as through the day Ana got more and more relaxed. He hadn’t noticed how she had been so tense since everything had happened, but seeing her as she pointed out ‘The Starry Night’ to Mia made him realize how this was also hurting her. “When I get my hands on that little rat bastard…” He grumbled.

“Which rat bastard are we talking about?” Rhodey asked through the coms.

“The one that should be dead.”

“Ah, that rat bastard. I think you jumped in front of the line on those who gets to sucker punch him first.” Rogers chuckled.

“I’m sorry did you just cuss? I mean I knew you did yesterday but…my word Cap such foul language.” He said in a southern belle drawl.

“What am I missing here?” James asked.

“Oh he never told you? He scolded us once for our ‘language’ during a mission.”

“Seriously? He had a worse mouth than I did back in the day.”

“Oh Tasty Freeze you have tales you need to tell.”

“James no.” Rogers groaned.

“James yes.” He chuckled.

“Children.” Rhodey warned.

“Geez and I thought you were bad Cap.” Tony heard Barton. He paused, looking to Rhodey. Rhodey shrugged, before Rogers spoke up.

“I asked Clint if he wouldn’t mind being our lookout outside. Just in case.”

“Course I wouldn’t mind. Your kids helped me.” He looked over to Ana, smiling as she paused at another painting. Riven and her helped several people now on the team…so naturally they came to help her. He went over, standing next to her.

“I think this one is my favorite.” She said, leaning against him.

“‘Sunflowers’…have you ever been near Sunflowers?”

“No…I like the way they look. Is it true that they actually face the sun as they bloom?” Tony hummed.

“No idea…wanna find out?” Ana turned to him.

“How?”

“Well wherever we build our house at…I can make sure it’ll have a big enough area for a garden.” He watched as her eyes flickered, and Riven stared at him in awe.

”Really?”

“Yeah…is that something you’re both interested in?” Riven nodded. “Then I’ll let Pep inform the realtor.” The smile he got was worth it.

——

As the weeks passed, they were able to go to other places without any incident. Each time everyone stepped up to be on guard so Ana and the kids could enjoy their time out of the compound. It was near the end of Spring when Stephen and the masters came back finally with some news on the runes.

“They’re trying to separate Riven and bind him.” Stephen explained, with Wong beside him while they stood in Rhodey’s office. “The plan with the chair was to weaken the soul bond between Ana and Riven so that they could bind Riven to…something. Or someone. We’re still not sure as to what.”

“Any news on Zola?” Rhodey asked.

“As of now no. We would have to be near him for us to confirm if it was in fact necromancy or not. Jericho couldn’t tell from the footage we had, so until we have him in our custody we won’t know.”

“Jericho?” Tony asked.

“My associate in New Orleans.”

“Ah. Continue.”

“For the time being we need to keep Ana and Riven safe. If this happens again they may succeed.” Currently Ana was at the Kamar-Taj with Maximoff, which Tony was glad for due to the fact he didn’t want her freaking out.

“We’ve gone through our students, and no one has mentioned Riven. Any news on your end?” Wong asked.

“Everyone’s been vetted by Loki just to check for lies. No one talked, so we’re not sure how Hydra knew of him.”

“What’s concerning is they’re not trying to pull him out as if he was a demon.” he said concerned.

“Oh?”

“It’s like they know he’s a otherworldly...like a Realmwalker.”

“…Fuck.”

“Indeed.” Wong took his leave afterwards, leaving Rhodey, Tony and Stephen. Rhodey sighed, leaning back on his desk.

“This is a mess.”

“Yeah. I figured right now I’d be worried about what flowers we want for the venue, not that someone’s trying to tear my twins soul apart.”

“How is that going by the way?” Rhodey looked to his best friend.

“Found a nice venue that Allen is going crazy over. Got the guest list figured out. Still working on the wedding party.”

“Sounds like more fun than what I’m dealing with.”

“What’s going on?”

“Vision and Wanda got approval to move out of the compound.”

“Ok?”

“And the agency Victoria is with called me.”

“Uh oh.”

“They wanted to know about Maximoff’s history. And her Visa here in the states.”

“Oh no.”

“Yeah. I don’t think she’s gonna get the same results you did.” Tony sighed. He knew it would be difficult for her but this might be worse than he thought. “I think Vision might know it’s not possible. He said he was working on a surprise for her.”

“Oh?” Rhodey grabbed paperwork and handed it to Stephen, knowing Tony wouldn’t take it. “Westview?”

“He purchased a plot of land. Apparently your idea of building your dream home inspired him.”

“I’m so proud.” They flipped through the information. “Looks like a nice little town.”

“Yeah. Perfect place for raising kids.” Stephen looked to his fiancé sadly. While he didn’t agree with Maximoff before, she had been working on being a better person, and she knew how to listen to those who were more knowledgeable than her. He wouldn't admit it out loud but she wasn't that bad of a person as she was before.

“Not much we can do.”

——

“I think you’re going to like this, Mr. Stark.” Ben, the realtor Pepper found said as he put a folder down in front of Tony. “It has everything Mrs. Potts had requested on your behalf.” He opened it and found dozens of pictures of a plot of land farther away in upstate New York. It had a beautiful lake with a forest around it, and as he went through the pictures he pointed out an area with a few larger trees nearby.

“There…I like that right there.”

“That would be were you want the house?”

“I’m starting to think of a rather big cabin…” He hummed. “I’ll have to talk to Stephen and the kids. No one else is wanting this?”

“No it just recently went on the market. The acreage amount is here.” He pointed to the paperwork and Tony whistled. He’d have the whole lake and most of the surrounding area. “If this is what you want I can get you in contact with a residential architect that I’ve worked with before. I can even send you some of his previous work so you can see if he’d be a fit beforehand.”

“I’d like that very much, thank you Ben.”

“Anytime Mr. Stark.”

“And I’ll give you a call once I know if we’re taking it, ok?” Normally he’d jump the gun and go for it but…he wanted this to be perfect for his family. After saying goodbye he jogged to the elevator, giddy to let the others know. Once he was in the living quarters he saw Ana braiding Mia’s hair, with Michael and Peter both focusing on the TV as they watched something. “Hey guys, where’s your Pops?”

“He and Uncle Loki stepped out real quick. Should be back soon.” Peter looked over. “What’s up dad?”

“Got something you wanna see…but I want to wait till Stephen gets back.”

“Is it good news?”

“Hopefully. Whatcha all watching?”

“Jumanji.”

“Robin Williams or the Rock?”

“Robin Williams first!” Peter sounded scandalized. Tony laughed.

“Alright scoot. I wanna watch.” True to what Peter said Stephen arrived a little under half an hour. “Steeeeeph!” He called.

“Toooones.” Stephen chuckled, going over and kissing him. “What’s with the folder?”

“Dad wanted to wait till you got home to show us.” Tony pulled the pictures out and handed Stephen the estimate that Ben had in the paperwork.

“Where’s this at?” Michael asked, looking at one of the pictures.

“Upstate New York. What do you think?”

“It’s pretty…” Mia said as she peered at one of them. “Where’s the house at?”

“It has to be built.”

“We gotta build it?” She looked up to Tony. He chuckled and pulled her up onto his lap.

“No we’re going to have someone build it for us. But what do you think? It’s it a nice place for a house?”

“What about school?” Peter asked.

“We have two magic users.”

“He’s got a point.” Stephen laughed. “I like it. We’d have plenty of space, the view looks amazing…is this it?”

“I think it is. I’ll let Ben know.” Tony smiled. Things were starting to move in the right direction.

Notes:

I know I had some concerns about Wanda getting kids really quick, and let's be honest, I would never. I have plans :D And we've got the start of the Stark lakeside cabin! Excitement!

See you all Wednesday!

Chapter 25: "So how do I apologize, and put the tears back in your eyes? When every canvas that I paint, is a masterpiece made of my mistakes?"

Notes:

Thank you all for the love and support! And thank you guys for understanding that I really want to do NANO which means I'll be cutting back on this story. Luckily, like I said I made this chapter bigger.

Now. Timelines. Since the blip/snap didn't happen, timelines are a little funny here. I'll explain more in the end notes, but just remember, thanks to Thanos being dealt with and that 5 year gap not happening things will flow differently.

Title - Masterpiece by Motionless In White

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“This is it. Right here.” Tony called to the contractor Ben and the architect Finn recommended. Daniella walked over from the lakeside they were standing it, walking around the spot Tony was standing in.

“May have to cut a few of the trees down so we can get their roots out of the way. Is that ok?” She asked, looking over her clipboard.

“Yeah, if there’s one we miss having we’ll just replant." She nodded.

“And you wanted a basement? How big?”

“Well since I’m planning on making it my lab…”

“Pretty big, got it.” She chuckled. “This spot will be easy to use then Mr. Stark.” Tony smiled, before looking to where Ana and Stephen are looking at a clearing that could easily be for flowers. “If you’d like I can get that area ready for farming as well? Maybe make a path from the cabin over there?” He turned to her, seeing that she caught him staring over there.

“Can you?”

“Absolutely. Nothing major, maybe put fencing in around that area. Do you know what they’re planning on planting?”

“Sunflowers.”

“That’s a perfect spot then. Looks like the tree’s don’t cover that area with their shade at all. I’ll send over samples of pathways we can put in.”

“Thank you again.”

“My pleasure.” She watched as he left to see his fiancé and eldest daughter.

“Whatcha guys doing?” He asked as he came closer.

“I was telling Pops this would be a perfect spot for Sunflowers.” Ana said, smiling brightly at him.

“Yeah that’s what Daniella was saying. She said they could fence this area off and put a path from the cabin to here…think this is it? For your sunflower garden?” Ana nodded happily, before hugging Tony close. “What do you think Dumbledore? Is this perfect?”

“It is. I’ll have to talk to Finn about making sure the cabin has doorways.”

“Doorways?”

“Doorways so I can put continuous portals there.”

“Like how the Sanctum has?” Ana asked.

“Ok I’m lost.” Tony looked between the two.

“Basically it’d be a doorway to say the compound, or the kamar-taj, or hell even the sanctum. So instead of always needing to portal there—”

“We can just open a door and BAM be there.” Tony finished Stephen’s statement. “That’s pretty badass.”

“Glad you think so.” Stephen chuckled. “We’ll have to bring Peter Michael and Mia here soon. Let them see this place as well."

“Absolutely. We also need to figure out what we’re doing this summer break since it’s around the corner.”

“California?” Ana questioned.

“Why California?”

“Aunt Hope and Scott talk about San Francisco all the time.” She shrugged. “It’d be nice to see the West Coast.”

“I’m all for it. Let’s talk to your siblings about it first yeah?” She nodded.

“Ready to go?” Stephen asked.

“Yeah, let me make sure Daniella doesn’t need anything and we’ll be off.” It had been a week since Ben closed on the property, so now they were working on starting the foundation of the house. Later in the week they’d have to meet up with Finn, so they could look at the designs he has for them for the cabin itself.

They kept saying cabin but honestly it was going to be much larger than that, with the kids bedrooms, the library, the gaming room, a nice kitchen for Ana and of course a big dining room and living room. That wasn’t including the basement lab, which would be larger than the house. When they arrived back into the compound, Mia Michael and Peter were in the living room doing their homework.

“Hey guys!” Peter smiled. “How was it?”

“Great, this weekend we’ll have everyone come and see it. I think you’re gonna love it.” Tony said, kissing the top of his head before going to Michael and Mia. “You guys have snacks yet?”

“Not yet. Uncle James and Uncle Loki are have a serious talk in there.” Michael spoke up. Tony and Stephen glanced at each other concerned. He nodded to the kitchen and Stephen nodded, before going to sit and see what Michael and Peter were working on for school. When Tony peeked in, Loki and James were talking quietly in the kitchen, looking worried.

“Everything ok?” He asked after watching them for a moment. They looked to him, before looking back at each other, having a silent conversation. Loki sighed, before turning back to the inventor.

“We have a question, Anthony.” At the raised eyebrow he continued. “Who…was it you spoke to before…for your children?” Tony blinked, thinking before it clicked with him.

“You mean to adopt them?” At the nod, Tony blinked again. “You guys want to adopt?”

“We actually want to adopt a specific kid.” James spoke up.

“You’re talking about Maggie.”

“Yes…” Loki was worrying his bottom lip nervously.

“I’ll give you the number for Victoria, she’s her case worker. She’ll be able to tell you what you all need.” Loki’s whole face lit up as he looked to James, who was also grinning.

“Really?”

“Yeah. Are you guys going to stay here? Or in New Asgard?” They glanced at each other worried.

“We do split our time in between…do you think that will be a problem?” Loki asked.

“Talk to Victoria. She’ll answer any and all questions.” Loki nodded.

“Of course. Thank you Anthony.”

“Anytime Lokes.”

——

By the end of the week they had their first of many meetings with the architect. “These designs look amazing Finn…and adding the weird doorways is fine?” Tony asked as he and Stephen looked over the 3D rendition of what Finn had so far with what they wanted. It was nowhere near complete but Finn was one who wanted to keep checking in with the client as he went.

“None what so ever. Trust me yours is not the weirdest add on I’ve had.”

“I feel like there’s stories there.” Stephen chuckled.

“So many. But I digress, so far looks good?”

“So far yeah. I’m curious to see what you do for the library.” When they explained the fact that Stephen and Ana were book readers, with Ana being a book collector, Finn wanted to design it perfectly.

“That’s still a work in progress. I’m thinking here…” He tapped where there was a large part of the layout missing. “Having it take up the first and second floor, so it’ll be on one end of the house.”

“Perfect.” Stephen smiled. He was excited about the idea of having his and Ana’s own little part of the house, while Tony Peter and Michael had theirs in the lab. Mia of course would be in either section, because she was happy wherever her family was at.

“Oh, got a question. Do you guys go out to even New Jersey?”

“We design homes throughout the East Coast. Why?”

“Have someone who just bought a plot of land in Westview New Jersey. Wanted to see if you wanted to give them a hand.” Finn looked at his tablet, before blinking.

“Where did you say it was?”

“Westview?”

“You sure you’re not thinking of Eastview?” Tony and Stephen gave each other a quick glance before looking to the architect. “I’m not finding a Westview on the map.”

“Friday can you pull up Westview?” Tony asked as he pulled out his phone. He watched as she came up with nothing. “The hell?”

“I think we may have gotten the town mixed up. Once we ask our friend for the exact town we’ll give you a call?” Stephen said, a slightly fake smile slipping in place. Finn nodded, before gathering his things and leaving. Once he was gone Tony looked to Stephen.

“Rhodey said Westview right?”

“That’s what I heard.”

“Fri where’s my honey bear?”

“He’s just finished up a meeting boss. Shall I let him know you’re on your way?”

“Please.” They stood and headed to his best friend’s office. When he saw them enter he let out a sigh of relief.

“I was about to call you guys.”

“Why?” Stephen asked suspiciously.

“I just got notified of a mission that Sword just did—”

“Who?” Tony interrupted.

“Sword?”

“Yeah. That.” Tony frowned. “The hell is that?”

“Sentient Weapon Observation and Response Division?”

“…Is this like Shield? Is this seriously another acronym organization?!”

“Kind of. They work with us, who did you think the extra agents were from?”

“I dunno, the agents formally known as Shield!” Tony threw up his hands. “This is why I don’t pay attention to these kinds of things.”

“Yeah no I knew that.” Rhodey shook his head. “And normally they’re not our concern, however they came to us with an issue. Westview is gone.”

“Same Westview that Vision and Wanda are in?”

“Yeah. It’s…here…” Rhodey gave Stephen a tablet, which Tony read over his shoulder. “That’s everything we know right now in regards to the ‘Westview Anomaly’.” As they read on what they had so far, Stephen looked up to Rhodey.

“It’s possible it’s magical. Why haven’t we been informed about this earlier?”

“Because the acting director didn’t bring it to our attention. I just got done talking with an FBI agent that was involved.”

“Acting director?” Stephen asked, eyes narrowed.

“FBI?” Tony looked up to Rhodey.

“Long story. Either way I don’t like it.” He sighed. “I’ve already notified the council. Who did not know that this was happening.”

“Uh oh…” Tony said in a singsong tone. “Someone’s in trouble.”

“Very much so. Once I get the all clear I was going to ask Stephen and the twins to go to Westview.”

“Do we think it’s Hydra?” Tony worried.

“Not at this time no. But they’re not off the list of possibilities.”

“Colonel.” Friday spoke up. “I have Agent Jimmy Woo on the line.”

“Patch him through.” He paused, hearing the telltale sound of the line coming on. “Agent Woo.” Tony arched an eyebrow at Stephen, who listened in.

“Colonel Rhodes. It looks like we won’t be needing your help after all in regards to the anomaly.”

“Oh?”

“However we will be bringing a prisoner to you.”

“Prisoner?!” Rhodey stood up.

“Yessir. We're in the process of arresting Wanda Maximoff.”

“What for?!”

“She’s the cause of the anomaly.” Stephen looked to Tony, before looking to Rhodey.

“We need to go there.” He spoke up.

“Agreed. Grab the twins.” Rhodey told him.

“I’m sorry sir who was that?” Agent Woo asked.

“The Sorcerer Supreme.” 


“The who what now?” The man asked startled.

“We’ll be there shortly Agent Woo. Please do not do anything in regards to Wanda Maximoff.” Rhodey sighed, cutting off the call. “Where—” A portal opened just outside of his office.

“Friday alerted us you might need us.” Ana peeked her head in. “What’s going on?”

“Maximoff may have caused problems.” She frowned at that. “Give me a few so I can get the portal exactly where we need to be…” Stephen said, twisting and turning his hands with a spell before opening a portal to Westview.

“Which one was that?” Ana asked as they entered.

“A tracing magic spell that Wong recently found it in one of the books at the London Sanctum.”

“Oooh.” Tony looked to Rhodey and shrugged, both of them following the sorcerers. They found themselves in the middle of a small town, with people standing away from where Maximoff was sitting on the ground. Vision was crouched next to her, and Tony could see a few agents with someone in a suit who was in cuffs.

“Someone wanna explain to me what’s going on?” Rhodey asked, crossing his arms.

“Colonel Rhodes.” A man with an FBI vest came up.

“And you must be Agent Woo.” At the nod. “What’s Hayward doing in cuffs?”

“He’s…in a lot of trouble. I’ll explain in a moment but…” He looked to Maximoff. “What do we do with her?” He asked quietly. Rhodey motioned for the man to go back towards his agents so they could talk. Stephen walked up and looked down at the woman before him.

“What did you do, Maximoff?” He asked softly.

“I…I couldn’t handle…I’m sorry.” She sniffled, looking up to him. “We tried…to find anyone who would allow us to adopt. But no one would let us…I just wanted a family so badly. But I can’t…because of what’ve done…” She looked down. “So I created a Hex.” She heard him take a sharp breath. “I wasn’t even trying to but I did and…and I had my happy little family. But it wasn’t real…they…weren’t real…and in the end I hurt others. Again.” Tony looked to his daughter, only to find his son instead. Riven walked over to the woman, before kneeling down in front of her.

“Why didn’t you bring this up to us? I would’ve have thought we talk enough at the Kamar-Taj…”

“What good would it have done?”

“I’ve talked before about the spells and elixirs I know of from my time before as a Realmwalker. Some that could have helped you.” Maximoff gasped, before shaking her head.

“Why would you help me? I’ve hurt your family…I’ve hurt so many…”

“Oh Wanda…” Riven sighed, reaching out and gently cupping the witches face and tilting it up to look at him. “Of course I would help you. And I will, help you.”

“Really?” Tony’s heart hurt at how hopeful she sounded.

“Yes really…” He looked to Vision. “And it would be both of yours.” Vision’s eyes lit up at that. “But I need two things from you.” He pulled away, watching her.

“Anything.” Riven hummed, before holding up one claw.

“One. I need the Darkhold.” Maximoff tensed. Tony noticed Stephen also tensed.

“What’s a Darkhold?” He asked, unsure if he wanted to really know.

“It’s the Book of the Damned, and it corrupts everything and everyone that it touches.” Stephen said, stepping back. “How does she—” Tony interrupted Stephen’s question.

“And you want that?!” He looked to Riven.

“I want to seal it away.” Riven waited, watching Maximoff. When she paused, Vision put a hand to her shoulder.

“Wanda please…” He said softly to her. She nodded, before her normal appearance changed into…what looked like a red outfit. It was close to what he’d seen her dress as she was out on missions but this felt more…magical, if that made sense. A black book appeared and she went to give it to Riven. When Riven touched it Maximoff gripped the book tighter, but reluctantly gave it up. As soon as Riven had it he created a small portal and dropped the book wherever that was.

“Where’d you put it?” Stephen asked.

“I’ll tell you later. Now. Two.” He held out a second claw. “And this may be the hardest one.” Tony watched as Maximoff swallowed painfully, nodding as her clothes went back to normal. “When…if the time comes…I need you to swear that you will come to my aid when needed. I want to know I can count on you if something ever goes wrong. No matter what it is.” The witch glanced at Tony and Stephen confused, before nodding. “Good. Then I will help you.” He looked up to where the Agent had returned after talking with Rhodey.

“Gonna be hard to help since she’s under arrest.” Agent Woo spoke up.

“What’s she under arrest for?” Tony asked.

“Seriously? She put the whole town under a mind control spell. She broke her part of the accords agreement for her to come back to the states. They want her imprisoned until they decide what to do with her.” Maximoff looked scared. Riven leaned in and whispered something softly to her, close to where Vision was next to. Both listened, before nodding. She didn’t resist when Woo put the cuffs on her, nor did she resist while she was escorted away.

“Now what?” Tony asked.

“Now…we need to speak to the accords council.” Riven said as he stood.

“You’d want to do that? For her?” Stephen asked. He knew they had been getting friendlier, but not to the point of him going to the council.

“Yes. Because…if she can’t be forgiven…can I?” He looked to Tony. "I've done so much worse than she has...she's been trying to make things right...does her not getting her happy ending mean I never will too?"

“Riven…” Tony knew he didn’t talk about when he was still going around destroying entire Realms, but the guilt was still there. “Alright. If that’s what you want.”

——

“Why am I not surprised you decided to ‘Stark’ it up?” Rhodey asked Riven as they got ready for the council meeting. Tony chuckled as he looked over to find Riven in a nice grey suit that matched his own.

“What? He looks damn good.” Tony smiled, helping Riven fix his tie.

“Thank you Il Babbo.”

“You sure about the council knowing about you?” He asked, worried.

“Yes. With Hydra already knowing of my existence, it was only a matter of time.”

“We still don’t have to do this for Maximoff.” Rhodey spoke up.

“I know. But…I think she’ll be needed in the long run.” He looked to Tony. “Do you hate that I’m helping her?” Tony paused, thinking about it. If you had asked him a year ago, yes. He would’ve hated it. But since the whole ‘exorcism’ Maximoff had tried to do better. He could see she was trying so hard to make up for her past sins and mistakes. She was careful when dealing with not only Tony but his kids. And Mia…Mia had actually said hi to her on more than one occasions. Hell she actually went up to her and Vision when saying hi, instead of shying away like she would if she was uncomfortable. Mia never went near those who were dangerous. He sighed.

“No. No I don’t hate you. And I think…I think I don’t hate her either. Not anymore.” Riven smiled at him.

“Alright, they’re ready.” Rhodey called back to them. When they entered the council room, Tony watched as a few noticed Riven, but stayed quiet until they sat down. Riven had put the spell in place that hid his eyes at first, waiting for the right moment.

“Mr. Stark…can you tell me why your daughter is here in regards to Mrs. Maximoff’s situation?” One of the councilmen spoke up.

“Technically…” He turned to see Riven let the spell down, and he grinned as he heard a few of the council members seats squeak as they pulled back or jumped up. “That’s my son.”

“What—“

“Good afternoon ladies…gentlemen…” if they eyes didn’t startle them, the deep voice did. “Some of you know of my existence, while others have no idea what I am. My name is Riven. I came about thanks to the cult massacre two years ago. I’ve been with Ana for the last 14 years. The reason I’m here in front of you today is in regards to Wanda Maximoff.” Tony watched as the council members eyed each other before resuming their seats and clearing their throats.

“And why is that?” One woman spoke up.

“Why is what?”

“Why is it you should have any say in regards to Mrs Maximoff’s case?”

“Because I may have a solution that would make everyone happy. Be honest…do you really want the Scarlett Witch out of your grasp? She’s signed up to be a full time Avenger…unlike Doctor Strange, who’s a consultant only.”

“But she broke her agreement.” Another spoke up.

“She did.” Riven hummed in agreement. “And she should be punished. But not locked up or sent away.”

“And what do you propose we do?” Riven paused, looking at the man who spoke up. His eyes narrowed at him as he tilted his head in a way that had Tony look closer to the man. He was a short balding official that Tony hadn’t had the pleasure of knowing. After a tense pause, Riven spoke up.

“Doctor Strange is currently retrieving bracers that will bind the Scarlett Witch’s power. She will not be allowed to use her powers unless he allows it, which would only be on missions and training at the Kamar-Taj.” Riven said smoothly, his clawed hands coming up to tap on the table. “It would be something that she’d have to have from now on. Depending on good behavior and training she may have them off sooner. As such she and Vision will still want to move out of the compound, but I leave that decision up to you.” Murmurs ran through the meeting room as the different council members spoke quietly to each other.

“Why wasn’t this brought up before?”

“It was.” Rhodey spoke up from where he was sitting next to Tony. “But it was voted against because it was ‘too inhumane’.” The councilman who brought that up coughed and cleared his throat, looking away at being called out.

“And who would vouch for her good behavior hm? Or how well her training has gone?” A different councilwoman spoke up.

“Myself or the Sorcerer Supreme..”

“And why should we trust you?” The same man that Riven had stared at previously asked.

“You shouldn’t.” Riven snorted. “But I am Tony Stark’s son. I’m well versed in magic. I’m something that would have normally torn your world apart, but instead have made it my home. That alone should be enough for you to take my word.”

“Are there…others like you?” Someone had asked. Everyone quieted down.

“…None that can get here no. Because I’m here no one else can enter this realm.” That caused more quiet talks. Tony eyed the one councilman, trying to rack his brain again as to who he was. He just continued to stare down at Riven, his beady eyes narrowed. Riven on the other hand acted like nothing was wrong, watching as everyone talked. Finally whatever conversations they had amongst each other stopped and they turned to Riven and Tony.

“I think we can accept these terms, so long as you or Doctor Strange check in with us on her progress. It will be some time before we will also Wanda Maximoff to leave the compound, but in the meantime she is to be monitored either at the compound or the Kamar-Taj.” After finalizing the smaller details they started to leave, but Riven stopped as he noticed the councilman before walking up to him.

“Something wrong Councilman?” Tony asked, eyeing him up and down. He seriously could not remember his damn name.

“I just wanted to speak to your son here for a moment.” He put on a fake smile. Riven stared, before turning full to him.

“No.” The councilman frowned.

“What do you mean no?”

“I mean no. Tell me…” he tilted his head. “How is Zola these days?” There was only a tense moment before the councilman pulled out a small handgun and aimed it at Riven. Tony yelled, gauntlet instantly forming to grab at the gun. Riven’s lashed out with his claws, hitting the man in the arm and having the gun tilt enough that Tony could snatch it out of his hand. “There you are.” Chaos erupted around them as security rushed forward, guns drawn on the councilman. The man just smirked, arms raised in surrender.

“You underestimate him Realmwalker.” He sneered. “He will get what he wants, he always gets—” Whatever he was going to say next was cut off by his entire body erupting into flames. Riven pulled back, grabbing Tony’s arm to pull him away further.

“Get back!” He yelled to the others, as they watched the man scream and burn.

“Someone get an extinguisher!” Tony heard someone yell, but by the time they tried to put the man out there was nothing left, no body at all. It was like he burnt away.

“What the fuck was that?” Tony asked, looking to Riven. The way the Realmwalker looked at the burn marks made him nervous. Finally he spoke quietly, looking to his father concerned.

“I don’t know.”

Notes:

So. Wandvision still happened. Vision knew it was fake, but went along with it because he had a chance of a family with Wanda. And yes, Riven took the Darkhold away. We do not need that kind of corruption happening...again.

Also Riven has a soft spot since she's trying to atone for her sins...because it's true, if she can't get her happy ending, what does that mean for him?

And we have another self combusting person! Yay! What does this mean though?

I'll see you all next Wednesday!

Chapter 26: "Everybody's full of sugar, honey, ice, and tea"

Notes:

Hello everyone! Thank you again for the love and support this story is getting even with me slowing down this month! I truly appreciate it!

Now there's no real warnings this chapter, no sudden combustion of people.

Title - Sugar, Honey, Ice and Tea by Bring Me the Horizon

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“What do we know about Councilman Francis Ranke?” Rhodey asked as they gathered a few back into the meeting room, while the others were asked to stay away in case of any other emergencies. They had taped off where the once councilman stood, and Stephen and Loki were on their way with Wong in tow.

“He had just recently transferred to the council, per recommendations.” Councilman Ross said, pulling up his file. “He hadn’t been here long at all.”

“Was he around when Hydra had attacked?” Ana asked, looking through everything. She and Riven kept switching between to look between the information the council had and the spell book they pulled out of a portal.

“No, he actually came a little over a week ago.”

“Weird. What was he doing before this?” Tony asked, pacing. This whole thing stunk, but he wasn’t sure if it was Hydra or not.

“Trying to find that now…that’s weird.” Ross said.

“What?”

“I can’t seem to find where he specifically worked. Just that he was transferred.” Tony and Rhodey shared a glance, before he looked to Ana. “I can’t seem to find anything else on him.”

“Friday start running a scan. Go deep if you have to babygirl.” Tony said as he pulled out his phone.

“Working on it now boss.”

“The markings on the floor…I’ll need to speak with Uncle Loki, I know he said the people in Latveria burst into flame…I wonder if they match.”

“And if they do?”

“Then I’m thinking Hydra’s tampering with something much much worse than we thought previously.”

“That’s still so weird to hear.” Ross mumbled.

“What is?” Tony glanced at the councilman.

“The whole…deep voice….it’s weird having it come out of such a young girl.”

“She just turned 17 councilman.”

“And how old are you?”

“Older than this realm itself. But that’s not the issue we have at hand.” At that moment a portal opened up and Stephen, Wong and Loki came out. Stephen instantly went to Riven and Tony, checking them over. “We’re fine Pater. Uncle Loki I need you and Uncle Wong to check the markings left from the burns. See if they match the ones from Latveria.” Both nodded and left, while Stephen hugged Tony tight.

“I’m fine Steph.” He grumbled.

“I can see that now but when Friday alerted me that there was a magical issue involving fire I was scared that something else had happened.”

“Yeah not sure how to explain someone ‘magically blew up’.”

“Just like that.” Stephen said dryly.

“Shush you.” Tony kissed him quickly.

“Doctor Strange.” Ross cleared his throat. “Do you have the braces for Mrs. Maximoff?”

“I do, where is she?”

“Currently she’s awaiting our decision in another room with Vision. I’ll lead you to her.” As they left Wong and Loki came back in from the hall.

“It matches, albeit bigger than the last ones.”

“That’s concerning. It means Hydra is sacrificing them somehow.”

“You think this is human sacrifice?”

“The way the air is charged, you don’t?” Riven looked to Wong. Wong thought for a moment, before nodding.

“When you put it that way…”

“I wish I knew what they were planning…whatever it is it has to do with me.”

“That’s a very big concern.” Tony said, crossing his arms. “I’m not letting you pull a me, just so we’re clear.”

“So I can’t give them my home address and taunt them?”

“Absolutely not.”

“Well you’re not fun.”

“I’m sorry, you gave your enemy your home address and taunted them?!” Wong asked Tony, eyebrow raised.

“Not my best idea but it worked out in the end.”

“Yeah after I had to come and save your ass.” Rhodey snorted.

“No, I saved my own ass, you were along for the ride.”

“No you did—”

“Children you’re both good at saving each other now knock it off.” Loki rolled his eyes. “Either way, we need to be careful. Whatever this is, is big. They’ve now had 7 sacrifices we know of.”

“How do they have that many?” Wong asked. Loki informed him of the Latveria ‘traitors’ who also went up in flames. “This is serious. If this was bigger than the last ones, it means they may be getting close to whatever they wish to summon.”

“What about that book you got from Wanda?” Tony snapped his fingers. “Think that’ll have something?”

“Possibly. But the less time I spend near the Darkhold the better.” Wong’s head snapped to the Realmwalker.

“Tell me you don’t have the Darkhold.”

“I do not not have the Darkhold.” “I plan on sealing it away, probably on Mount Wundagore.”

“How do you know about Mount Wundagore?” Riven gave Wong a look. “Right, knowledge.”

“Either way knowing that Hydra hasn’t had the Darkhold previously means nothing in that book will be of any use to us. Plus pretty sure it isn’t Chthon that’s pulling the strings on this.”

“What’s a Chthon?” Tony asked.

“A demonic entity who was rumored to be the first demon.”

“And we’re sure it’s not it?”

“85% sure.” Riven waved his claw and the book dropped into a portal. “If need be I’ll have you help me look carefully in it. Make sure it doesn’t corrupt me…granted that will be hard to do.”

“The damn book corrupts?!” Tony sounded terrified.

“Normally yes. But since I’m a bit different…I’ll also need to ask Wanda where she got it from.”

“You don’t think she had it before?” Wong asked.

“Absolutely not. I would’ve sensed it before. It’s why I knew she had it when we went to Westview…I sensed it, heavily.” At that moment Stephen and Wanda came in. Tony saw what looked like normal bracelets on both wrists, but he knew they were meant to hold her power so she couldn’t use it unless granted permission.

“We’re all set here.” Stephen said, going to Tony and putting an arm around his shoulders.

“Wanda…where did you get the Darkhold?”

“From another witch…Agatha Harkness.”

“And where is she?”

“….She’s….” Wanda bit her lip. “She’s still in Westview…under my spell.” Stephen raised an eyebrow. “I didn’t want her going out and causing more trouble!” Riven hummed, thinking.

“That’s probably a good idea.”

“Really? You think having a woman under a spell like that is a good idea?”

“She had the Darkhold originally correct?” At the nod Riven continued. “Do you really think she’ll sit quietly and let us seal it away?”

“You’re going to seal it?” Wanda asked.

“Yes. That was my original plan when I felt it.” Wanda nodded.

“Good. I don’t…I don’t want it anymore…” Tony couldn’t tell who she was trying to convince, them or herself.

“That feeling of longing for it will fade…I promise you that.”

“Boss.” Friday interrupted from Tony’s glasses. “You may want to go back to the compound.”

“What? More trouble?” Tony groaned.

“No not trouble. Peter Ned and MJ are on their way over. Their letters arrived.” Tony and Stephen looked to each other before he opened a portal.

“Alright all aboard the portal express next stop home!” Tony called.

“What letters?” Wong asked, lost.

“M.I.T letters. Ned, Peter and MJ all applied this spring.” Ana said as Riven pulled back. “They wanted to open them all together. You coming?”

“I need to report this to the others. I expect Riven or yourself to have me help with the Darkhold.”

"I'll come with you, given the details of the last marks." Loki said, before looking to the others. "Tell us how it goes!"

“Of course. Wanda?” Wanda flinched at hearing Ana call her first name and not her surname. “Are you coming?” Wanda nodded, before following her into the portal. Vision was sitting with Michael and Mia, with Mia coloring while Michael worked on homework.

“Everything ok?” He asked, raising to greet Wanda. They hugged, and he took her hands so he could see her wrists. “This is…”

“The bracers. They’ll keep her magic in check, and until Pops says so they’ll stay on.” Ana responded.

“They don’t hurt do they?” He asked.

“No…more like having an itchy sweater on at all times. A little uncomfortable, but I can live with it.” Wanda smiled. “Did you get everything situated in our old floor?”

“Of course.” Vision gave her a soft smile. Tony could tell he really loved her. Good, he deserved happiness too. Mia came over with a picture, and waited until Wanda noticed her.

“Hi Miss Wanda. I’m glad you’re ok. I made this for you.” She handed the woman a picture, which made Wanda tear up.

“What’d you draw princess?” Tony stepped closer, curious. It was of Wanda and Vision, along with two boys. One had little lines to look like he was running and the other had blue markings that matched Wandas. Magic.

“How did you know?” She asked.

“I dunno. I just do.” Mia shrugged. “You’ll see them again soon. And then we’ll play together.” She smiled brightly before going back to the table to start putting her crayons away. Wanda looked lost as she looked up to Tony.

“Mia has a bit of a gift. She knew some of the X-Men’s gifts without ever seeing them in action. If she says you’ll see them, you will.” Wanda nodded.

“Thank you Stark.”

“Might wanna call me Tony, seeing as my kid is helping you out.” He shrugged. He knew they weren’t going to be sipping wine and gossiping any time soon, but he’d rather be on a more friendlier level now that she was trying to be better.

“Tony…thank you.” Peter choose that moment to rush in with Ned and MJ hot on his tail. Wanda and Vision took that moment to go ahead and leave for their old floor.

“You got em?” Tony asked excitedly.

“We haven’t opened them yet, but we have ours here.” Peter grinned, holding up the envelope.

“Well what are you waiting for? Open them!” Tony said excitedly.

“Just remember that if this doesn’t work out there’s always Columbia.” Stephen said, albeit teasing.

“Quiet you, our brilliant kids got in.” Tony scolded. “Go on, open!”

“Did your dad just call us his kids?” MJ asked.

“Are you really questioning that right now?” Ned answered. Both he and Peter opened theirs and read through the letters quickly. They nodded to each other, smiling brightly.

“We got in—” Peter started to say, but noticed MJ hadn’t opened hers. She looked scared. “MJ?”


“I probably didn’t get in…” She said quietly.

“What makes you say that?” Stephen asked softly, concerned.

“If you expect disappointment, then you can never really get disappointed.” She said, before going to Ana. She shoved the letter into her hands. “You open it.” Ana raised an eyebrow, before doing as she was told. As her eyes flit across the page, she sighed deeply, frowning. “See!?” MJ exclaimed, upset.

“I see you three are gonna be trouble in M.I.T.” Ana responded, turning the letter over so she could read. She got in as well.

“Oh holy shit…we did it.” Peter laughed. Tony swept him up into a big hug, with Stephen right behind him. Ana pulled MJ into a hug laughing as well. Michael came over to hug his brother, while Mia tilted her head.

“Why are we laughing?”

“Because Peter Ned and MJ got into that school they wanted to go to.”

“Does that mean they will be leaving?” Mia frowned. “Thomas’s older sister went to college far away and she had to leave…does that mean Peter will leave?” Tears formed in her eyes. Before Tony could comfort her Peter pulled away from his dads and picked Mia up.

“I’m gonna be living closer to school, but I’ll be over a lot. Probably a lot more than Thomas’s older sister, cause we got Ana and Pops to get us portaled in. And you guys can come visit me. I won’t be too far, promise.” Mia nodded sniffling before clinging to Peter.

“‘M miss you.”

“I’m not even gone yet.” Peter chuckled. “It won’t be until this fall…”

“Good. We have time to go adventuring.” Mia pulled back to look at the teen seriously. “We gotta go to all the aquariums in the world.”

“All of them?” MJ asked.

“Yup. You and Ned gotta come too.” She was very serious about her aquariums.

“I gotta look into M.I.T’s dorms.” Ned sighed. “Not looking forward to that.”

“….What if you didn’t have to?” Tony piped up. They all looked to him. “I mean hypothetically…what if you had an apartment close to campus?”

“Tony…” Stephen warned.

“Dad….” Peter said at the same time with the same warning tone.

“I knew you guys were gonna get in!” Tony whined. “So I may have looked into apartments…”

“Please tell me you didn’t already sign a lease for us.” Peter groaned.

“No! I was going to see if you wanted to look at them…the three of you.” MJ and Ned looked surprised. Tony rolled his eyes “Please, you three are always together. You and Ned—” he pointed to Peter and his best friend “Have been best friends for forever and you two—” He then pointed to MJ and Peter “Have been in love for forever.” Both blushed and started to stammer excuses, which caused Tony to sigh. “Seriously?” Both looked to each other before laughing.

“How would we pay for it?” Ned asked in a small voice.

“You’re not.” Tony smiled.

“Tony no.”

“Dad no.”

“Tony yes, dad yes.” Tony said in a singsong tone. “So…this weekend?”

——

“I like this one.” MJ said as they walked around the living room. They were in a large three bedroom apartment that was in walking distance to the campus. Tony told them not to even bother looking at the prices, and they took his suggestion considering apartments this close can be extremely pricy. The floor plan was open, with the kitchen being a bit smaller in size but with a washer dryer hookup so they didn’t have to worry about going to a laundromat they didn't mind. The three bedrooms were about the same size, meaning no one had to fight for the larger of the three. Tony had a feeling one of them would just be used as a study room, but he didn’t say anything.

“It’s really nice…” Ned peeked out the windows. “The view is nice too.”

“Lemme see!” Mia came over, and Ned carefully picked her up. “Ooooh this is nice.” Michael was looking at the bathrooms.

“You guys each get your own full bathrooms which is nice.” He called out.

“I like that better than us trying to squeeze into one like the last one.” Peter rolled his eyes. It was nice but only had one full bath, which made no sense, especially if the price was what he assumed it was.

“Means no worries on you all getting ready in the morning.” Ana said as she ran her hand across the kitchen counter.

“Does that mean this is it?” Stephen asked. Peter looked to Ned and MJ both nodding.

“I think this is it.”

“Good. I’ll take care of the rest.” Tony said grinning.

“Define taking care of the rest?” Peter asked, eyes narrowed.

“Well…I was going to take care of the rent and this place needs to be furnished plus new washer and dryer—”

“That’s too much!”

“Consider it your graduation present. All three of you.” Tony waved his hand. Peter sighed, knowing he was losing this battle.

“Can we pick our furniture?”

“Of course! I’m not a monster.” By the end of that weekend they had the keys to their new apartment, and plans to go furniture shopping. Tony smiled, watching as Ned and Peter argued with MJ about what type of couch they were gonna get. This was perfect.

Notes:

Our babies are going to M.I.T! And we're getting closer to hopefully what's going on with this Hydra chaos :D

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter, I will see you next Wednesday!

Chapter 27: "I'm out of my head, Of my heart, and my mind, 'Cause you can run but you can't hide, I'm gonna make you mine"

Notes:

Hello everyone! Sorry this one was later in the day but I had to do some serious research and editing before I posted it. Thank you all for your patience this month and for the love and support I still get for this story. Makes my day :)

Now warnings: Some violence, some talks of suicide and some blood...at the end.

Also I'm sorry.

Title - The Wolf by Siames

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“I swear you’re going to create a groove in the floor with your pacing.” Stephen commented as he watched Loki pace back and forth. They were in the lab, with Tony and Michael working on his final project in robotics before the last day of school. Stephen and Ana were in their little corner looking through books trying to full understand the last few incidents that had human combustion. There had been 7 more cases where they found more burn marks in warehouses and bunkers that they had heard whispers of Hydra being at.

“I can’t help it! This is our first monitored visit with Victoria and Maggie.” Loki was dressed casually, instead of his Asgaridan robes he wore black slacks with a simple dark green button up. They were going to the zoo, and then afterwards dinner.

“And you know it will be fine.” Tony soothed, not looking up from Michael’s work.

“Will it? This is very serious Anthony. I do not want this to fail.”

“It won’t.” Michael finally looked up from his little mouser that he’s turning in as his final. “Did you know when Victoria told her you wanted her she called me crying?” Loki turned to the teen, distraught before Michael continued “Happily. She was crying happily. You will be fine Uncle Loki. Promise.” Tony noticed something and looked up to the mage as well.

“You actually call Maggie 'Maggie'. You don’t call her by the full name she’s using.”

“Because it is what she wishes to be called.”

“I wish to be called Tony.”

“Yes but you are not an unsure little girl who’s had their heart broken by being deadnamed. If she wants to use Maggie instead of Margaret I’m not going to deny her as such.” Tony had to admit, giving Loki and James the 101 of ‘how to handle a transgender teen’ was probably the best thing he’d done.

“Fair point.” The doors to the lab opened, and they all looked to see James entering, with Rogers staying close to the elevator outside of the lab.

“You ready?” James asked, looking just as nervous. Even with the warming weather he had a button up as well and a glove on his metal hand, covering his arm completely.

“You don’t have to hide you know.” Tony pointed out.

“I know…I just don’t want to make her uncomfortable while we’re out today.” James said rubbing the back of his neck. “I want her to be comfortable being out with us.”

“She will be.” Michael said. “I’m gonna tell on you.” He taunted, laughing at the annoyed looks he got.

“Seriously?” James grumbled.

“She’s my girlfriend. If Robin was here they’d be giving you crap too. Granted we’ll be talking all about your guys day after she gets home.” Michael teased.

“Michael quit teasing them you know they’re nervous.” Tony chuckled.

“I know, but they shouldn’t be. You guys will have a great time. Oh and by the way…Maggie loves otters.” Michael grinned, watching as Loki and James gave him a knowing smile. James chuckled while Loki shook his head smiling. They left, with Rogers waving at Tony and Stephen before heading up with them. “She’s gonna have a great time.”

“Yeah she will.” Tony noticed Ana was quiet, which was a bit strange. “You ok Tesoro?”

“Hm?” She looked up from her book, blinking. “Oh. Yeah. Sorry ‘m tired. That sealing spell drained me.” She and Wong had sealed the Darkhold in some mountain in the middle of nowhere, and since then she’d been quieter…more subdued.

“You sure?”

“Yeah. Promise.” She smiled softly at her father.

“Wong was drained as well. Why he wouldn’t let me go with you two I’m not sure.” Stephen frowned.

“Because the less people know where the Darkhold has been sealed the better. And if someone wants it they’d go for you, not a ‘librarian’ as he likes to remind us.”

“That’s a good point.” Stephen sighed. “We should go ahead and wrap this up. I know you wanted to stop early so you could prepare that roast you found a recipe for.” Ana’s eyes lit up.

“Yes. Give me a sec, I wanted to ask Wanda a question.”

“How’s the prep for the whole…” Tony waved a hand. “Babies.” Ana chuckled.

“The elixir will be ready in 6 days. She has to take a dose every night for 6 weeks.”

“Why 6?”

“6 is a lucky number for children. Hopefully Mia’s correct….that she’ll get Billy and Tommy back.”

“Was that their names? Her boys?” Tony asked.

“Yes. Twins.”

“Runs in the family.”

“Apparently. But once she starts drinking the elixir she cannot be on the field or doing trainings at the Kamar-Taj, however I wanted to go over her meditation.” Since the Westview Anomaly Ana and Wong had been helping Wanda meditate to get better control over her abilities. Even Vision would meditate with her, saying it helped calm his mind.

“Alright, you’ll be back afterwards?” Stephen asked.

“Of course.” Tony went over and kissed the top of her head.

“Be safe.”

That evening when Loki and James came back they were giddy with how well it went. Michael had gotten a few updates via text and Maggie was ecstatic with the day they spent.

“When’s your guys next visit?” Tony asked as they waited for Ana’s dessert to finish baking.

“After I return from Vanaheim, which will be around a week. Victoria was very understanding that I will be busy with the new treaty. Granted I’m just there to watch Thor and make sure he does well.” When Loki told Thor and Bruce that he and James had planned on adopting, Thor wanted to learn how to negotiate without his brother so that he may spend more time with his newly forming family.

“You’ll have stories to tell if he makes a mess?”

“Of course. Who do you take me for?”

——

It was a few days later that Tony and Stephen followed Ana to a small photography store for Ana to find Peter a graduation gift. While he had a darkroom at the compound, the new apartment didn’t have such a space, so Ana talked to MJ and Ned and they agreed the third bedroom’s walk in closet would be turned in to such a place for Peter’s hobby. “I’m glad we were able to find this place before graduation.” Ana told Tony and Stephen as they looked around.

“I am too. I can’t believe it’s just right around the corner…Mia’s gonna be in first grade, Pete’s off to college…hell Harley took a year off so he could start with the rest of them.”

“I’m surprised you didn’t get him an apartment.” Stephen teased, before noticing the look on his fiancé’s face. “You didn’t.”

“Yeah…his reaction is what made me talk to you guys about it first. He was pissed I didn’t ask for his input.” Tony winced at the yelling he got. Harley didn’t want special treatment, but they managed to compromise to a better apartment than what he was getting, and that him paying rent was his graduation gift…even if he already got one when he graduated high school.

“Is he far from Peter’s apartment?” Ana asked, looking to him as they were finishing up.

“A few blocks. All still walking distance to campus, and he’s in a nice studio. Granted I wanted to give him more but…” Tony grumbled. “I kinda hate I can’t spoil you with this type of stuff Tesoro. You got your GED and then started training.”

“Oh…well…it’s still a little ways a way but Wong and Pops are talking with the other masters about me starting my own master training. It would be a while but—” She was cut off with Tony hugging her.

“Seriously?! Why didn’t you say anything?!”

“I was gonna wait till after Peter’s graduation party, and plus it has to be agreed upon by all the masters.”

“Still! That’s big news! Oh I’m so proud of you!” Tony squished her further. “I should buy you a house.”

“No Dad, I’m fine. I like staying at home…as long as you want me to be.” Ana chuckled.

“Yeah we’re not letting you get away that easily.” Stephen chuckled, helping them bag up the items they got for Peter’s gift.

“Oh good so when even Mia’s gone off to college—”

“No we won’t talk about that! She’s just about to start 1st grade, let alone Michael starting High School.” Tony groaned. They left the shop, walking a bit down the street before Stephen would make a portal like normal. There were’t many people around but still it would be less conspicuous to turn to an alley to do so.

“I can’t believe it either.” Ana said, smiling wistfully. “If you told me a few years ago I’d be here with you guys and my siblings…with this big family? I would’ve thought you were delusional.” She sighed.

“Trust me if you told me after that shit year I had with the ‘Civil War’ I’d have a fiancé and a family, I would’ve thought you were on something.” Tony snorted. “But now we’re here—Ana?” They hadn’t noticed at first that Ana stopped, and looked to see her watching someone. When they followed her gaze they saw someone that made Tony’s veins run cold. “Is that—”

“Zola?” Stephen asked, before they both sprang into action. Tony’s armor formed around him, Stephen tugging on the red scarf he had around his neck to form Levi while his more traditional robes appeared. Both took a stance, shielding Ana from the man. There weren’t many other people on the street, but those who were around stopped what they were doing and turned to face the three. For a moment no one moved before Zola smiled. And the smile continued to stretch and stretch and stretch, to the point it looked cartoonish…and horrifying.

“That’s not Zola.” Ana tensed, before Riven took over. “That’s not human.”

“What is it?” As soon as Tony asked Zola’s body erupted in flames, along with several others on the street. “The fuck?!” Those who didn’t combust dropped, and the closest one Friday pulled up that they had no vitals…they had been dead...for a while now. The flames dissolved to show demonic beings in their stead, snarling and sneering at the three. The flame that had engulfed Zola finally died down, and standing there instead of a large red…man?

“By the Vishanti.” Stephen cursed, tensing more.

“Steph? Who is that?”

“You need to grab the twins and run.” He whispered, his Tao Mandalas forming.

“Oh I don’t think so.” The man called, sauntering towards them. “I need them…him specifically.” He motioned to Riven. It took only a second for the two men to glance at each other before they sprang into action, Stephen with his magic and Tony with his repulsors. Riven quickly formed his ribbons, lashing out as the demonic creatures lunged towards them. The man simply laughed, and after watching them fight a bit twisted his hands. Tony who had started to take off felt the nanotech he had dissolve, causing him to land painfully to the ground.

“Il Babbo!” Riven cried out, cutting another creature down before rushing towards him. Stephen turned and started to fly towards the two, only to be grabbed and pinned by glowing red chains that ripped out from the ground. “Pater!” Riven twisted to him, only be to caught in more chains that tore from the ground. They wrapped around his arms, pulling back so they were behind his back. Tony watched in horror as they glowed with different runes, and the ribbons that were once coming from Rivens back suddenly burned up, causing him to scream.

“Riven!” Tony went to get up, only to be slammed down by a chain of his own. “Let go of him!” He snarled.

“After I finally found him? Absolutely not.” The man laughed. “It isn’t every day you find a Realmwalker and I knew once I found him I just had to have him.”

“Who are you?!” Before he could open his introduce himself, Riven sneered at the demon.

“Mephisto.” He growled. “Prince of Darkness, Devils and Lies. Known ruler of Hell.”

“So you do know of me? Good. That’ll make things easier.” The chuckle Tony heard made his stomach twist in knots.

“You were behind this…tell me, was Hydra ever really in control?”

“Absolutely not. I gave them the little hints they needed to help summon me. Zola was just a cover…a pretty decent one too. But no Hydra was just another pawn in this little game of mine.”

“What do you want?”

“Why isn’t it obvious? You.” Mephisto laughed as he booped his nose. Riven growled and snapped at him. “I want to use you to tear realms apart so that I may take the souls in them.”

“Not happening.”

“Not with that attitude.” He said in a condescending tone. “It’s simple really. You come with me to Hell, and I don’t kill your ‘parents’.”

“Don’t you dare!” Riven struggled. “Even if I wanted to go with you I won’t! I’m soulbound. Going there would kill her and I refuse to have her in harms way.”

“I’ve noticed. I can just pull you from her—” Mephisto had to pull back from where he stood close to Riven as the Realmwalker lashed out, pulling the chains taut.

“You hurt her or my family and I’ll break this realm apart and follow you to yours!” He snarled at the demon.

“I know, I know. Terrible idea.” Mephisto cooed, which made Tony seethe.

“Get away from my kid! Find your own Realmwalker asshole!” He knew taunting the demon was a bad idea but he was trying to keep him talking. Stephen was trying to twist in the chains so that Levi could get free. Mephisto paused, looking to the inventor.

“What did you say?”

“Get your own Realmwalker!” Mephisto blinked slowly, before turning to Riven.

“He doesn’t know?”

“Know what?” At the silence, Mephisto started to laugh. “I’m asking you a damn question, ‘know what’?”

“Oh this is precious. He has no idea?” Riven was silent, head bowed. “Tell him. Tell your foolish mortal father and your foolish mortal sorcerer why I can’t get another one.” At the silence Mephisto’s patience snapped. “Tell them or I will!” He bellowed, voice echoing around them.

“Because they’re dead!” Riven yelled, twisting further in the chains. “He can’t find another because I’m the last damn one!”

“…How?” Tony croaked, staring at him. They never really talked about Realmwalkers but he always made it clear that they just couldn’t enter the realm…not that they were dead. When he didn’t get an answer Mephisto grabbed Rivens hair and yanked his head back so that Tony could see his face.

“Tell him.” Riven swallowed, only to have the demon lord shake his head violently. “Do it!” He hissed.

“Because I killed them all!” Mephisto let go of Riven’s head, causing it to hang.

“Riven…” Riven looked up to Tony, before explaining.

“There weren’t a lot of Realmwalkers when we were first created. When we began to bump into each other as we consumed, there would be…territorial battles. Not only did it destroy the realm but usually one, if not both Reamwalkers would die. By the time I was done with it all there was only a handful. I had found a small realm, where I made a life for myself. I wasn’t a Realmwalker destroying a realm for knowledge. I had a library. Those in the tribe close to me. Stability. And then…one of them showed up.” Tony swallowed, listening intently. He hadn’t looked to see if Stephen was listening or not.

“What happened?”

“I was away. I wanted to find a new book for…someone.” A sad, fond smile formed on his face. “It was to be a birthday surprise. But when I got back…” The smile dropped. “When I got back it was gone…all of it. He started with my little tribe and worked his way out.” The emotions that normally would fill Rivens eyes slowly started to fade. “He had left the realm by the time I caught up with him. So…I followed after him. And I hunted. And I killed…all of them…I had just finished the final kill when I was pulled out of my form and into Ana’s. When I realized what happened, I was so angry. Because I had plans…plans to end everything…so there’d be no more Realmwalkers. At all.” Tony heard Stephen gasp, and saw he had stopped trying break free, staring at his son.

“Riven, Riven look at me please.” Riven lowered his head. “Riven!”

“Riven please…” Stephen pleaded, but he never looked back up.

“And there you have it. That’s why I can’t get another. Now…the problem, and the reason I can’t just…pull them both to hell…is because of your magical contracts.” Mephisto walked around Riven, watching him like he was a simple little plaything. “So I’m willing to make a deal.”

“Deal?”

“It’s a simple one. You break your contracts and you come willingly with me. You create a new contract with me…and I’ll separate you and this mortal.”

“That’ll kill her!”

“I’ll make sure she survives…if you don’t agree to these terms…” Mephisto tilted his head, and Tony tried to argue with him but found he couldn’t breathe properly. His chest was on fire, with limited lung capacity…it felt like the first time he had an arc reactor put in…back in Afghanistan. He heard Stephen scream, and tilted his head to see he his hands were rigid, almost as if they had pins in them…he was in excruciating pain. “I can have them relive their worst pains for as long as it takes.”

“R-Riven…don’t…” Stephen gasped, gritting his teeth through the pain.

“I want their safety guaranteed…no matter what happens they cannot be hurt by you.”

“No!” Tony struggled to speak.

“Of course. I’ll have it as part of the contract.” Mephisto looked giddy. “Now…your contracts?” The chains around him dissolved, and Riven looked to Tony.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered, before his eyes rolled back. His mouth moved but no words came out, and Tony felt a pull deep within his soul. It made him feel hollow. He heard Stephen take a gasping breath as well, and wondered if there was another contract with him. “It’s done. Remember…she has to survive this.” Riven warned. “If not I will break free and destroy everything including your little makeshift hell.” Mephisto just grinned, before reaching out and touching the center of his chest. Tony watched in horror as his claws sunk into the flesh, causing Riven to cry out in pain.

“No no no no no.” Tony’s vision blurred a bit with tears as Mephisto pulled something out of Riven…now Ana’s chest. It looked like a bundle of their ribbons, shifting and uncurling. A canary cage appeared next to the demon, and he shoved the ball in before closing it. It unfurled more to form the three headed raven that Tony met a few years ago when they first met Ana. The cage disappeared with Riven in it, and the chains and demons dissolved into flames.

“Pleasure doing business with you.” Mephisto patted Ana’s cheek, before disappearing, his laughter echoing around them. Tony groaned and stumbled to stand, nearly crawling towards Ana who just stood there, staring off where Mephisto once stood.

“Ana, Ana look at me sweetheart.” Tony finally reached her, standing in front of her and looking her over for any visible wounds. Stephen was struggling still thanks to the pain Mephisto caused to his hands, but was calling to Ana as well. Ana looked up to Tony, eyes blank and unfocused.

“D-Daddy?” She whimpered, before she choked as blood spilled from her lips and her eyes rolled back.

Tony barely caught her before she went down.

Notes:

Alright who had Mephisto was behind it all on your bingo cards?

Seriously though I am so SORRY! Aaaaah I can't just leave them alone! And what's worse? You have to wait till next Wednesday for the update!

I'm sorry, I love you all

See you all Wednesday!

Chapter 28: "It's too early for surrender too late for a prayer, We can't go to hell if we're already there"

Notes:

Helllooooo all! I'm so sorry I left you all on that horrible cliffhanger, I'll make it up to you in due time! In the meantime thank you all again for the love and support for this story, it really makes my day.

Now. I know I said originally that I wanted to only do one chapter a week for November, but as my husband and my job reminded me, the end of the year is hectic at best. So for my mental and physical health in mind, I'm gonna still do one chapter a week until the new year. I'm sorry!

Warnings - Medical stuff.

Title - Can't go to Hell by Sin Shake Sin

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The next 48 hours is the worst chaotic mess that Anthony Edward Stark could imagine. He’d take being in the caves of Afghanistan again if it meant he didn’t have to watch as not only doctors but sorcerers try to save Ana’s life. She hadn’t woken up after being rushed to the compound, in fact she got paler and colder as time went on. It was close to the 72 hour mark that they finally got her stable enough that no one was rushing in and out of the room.

“Mr. Stark.” Tony blinked out of his thoughts, looking over to the doctor who came in. “Currently she’s as stable as we can make her.” He nodded to him, looking back to the body in the bed. Machines were hooked up, with wires coming out from her chest, her arms, hell even her head. The steady beeping and hissing of the oxygen was the only noise coming from her. Above the bed was a green orb that was emanating green energy that floated around the bed. He was told it was to help keep what was left of her soul in tact. He paid no mind to the doctor shuffling out, and barely noticed another person come in.

“Stark.” Tony looked to Wong, who looked exhausted.

“Wong. Where’s Stephen?”

“I made him sit for a moment. He’ll be in shortly.” Again he nodded, looking back to his daughter. “He told me that Mephisto said he’d make sure she’d survive the separation…and honestly he did. She would’ve dropped dead right on the spot.” He snorted. “He did us no real favor.”

“How am I going to fix this?” Tony asked. “My daughter is lying on life support and my son is in…what? Hell?”

“Yes, Hell.” Wong nodded. “I don’t know if you can fix this.”

“So you’re saying I’m going to lose both of them?”

“No, I’m saying you yourself may not be able to help. I already reached out to a few of my contacts in regards to how to get to Hell.”

“You have contacts that can get to Hell?”

“Yes?” Wong looked confused at the question.

“That’s not normal Wong.”

“Neither is my job.” He shrugged. “I’m waiting to hear back.”

“Keep us posted.” They heard a commotion out in the hall and looked to see Loki standing in the doorway. He was pale, and looked from Tony, to Wong and finally to Ana.

“I couldn’t believe it…” He said softly. “I felt the contract break…” Tony sat straighter.

“You could feel that?”

“It felt like something was pulled from me…deep inside my own soul.”

“Shit, I felt that too.” Tony swallowed. “Stephen update you?”

“Yes. That damn demon.” He growled.

“You know him?”

“A bit.” He waved off Tony's curiosity. “What do you plan to do?”

“We’re getting Riven back…I don’t know how but…” Loki went over, reaching out and brushing some of Ana’s bangs back.

“I might have an idea.”

“What kind of idea?” Wong asked.

“One where we’ll need backup.”

“Backup for what?” They looked to see Stephen step in. He looked as exhausted as Tony felt, with stubble on his chin and disheveled hair.

“Getting our kid back.” Tony reached out and Stephen easily went over and wrapped him up in a hug.

“Do you have a plan?” Stephen asked as he held his fiancé close.

“I might. You said Mephisto made a contract with Riven?”

“He said he was going to. You know he destroyed the contracts he had meaning he has no connection here in this realm anymore.”

“Connection?” Tony asked.

“When Mephisto demanded Riven remove the contracts it's because any of those who he has that contract with can pull him back to this realm. With that gone Riven has nothing tethering him here.” Wong explained.

“Which brings me to my idea.” Loki said. “I know how to cancel out the contract.”

“How?!” Tony pulled away from Stephen. “How can we cancel it?”

“By using his real name.” Loki spoke softly.

“His real—you know it?”

“Yes. He made a contract with me using his real name. Mephisto doesn’t know…I know this cause I can still feel it.” Loki touched his chest.

“He told me it once in a dream.” Tony spoke quietly. “He didn’t make a contract as such since he no longer used it. So if you use that contract and that name—”

“It will break him out of the contract Mephisto has.”

“Great. When do we leave?”

“We?” Stephen looked to Tony concerned.

“Yes we. We need to go get him so—”

“There is no we, Tony.” Tony growled, glaring at the sorcerer in front of him.

“The hell there isn’t! I need to help! I need to go and save our son!”

“And how will you do that? You have no magical ability!” Stephen ran a frustrated hand through his hair.

“I have my armor!”

“And he tore through that with barely a flicker of his hands! Tony I can’t—” Stephen reached out and cupped his face. “I can’t lose you too. Please…please stay here. Keep an eye on our children…where I know you’ll be safe.” Stephen choked out, tears filling his eyes. “Please.” Tony swallowed painfully, before nodding. Stephen pulled him close again, kissing the top of his head. “Thank you…” After a beat of silence there was a knock at the doorway. The four men turned and found Rhodey standing there, looking grim.

“We have a bit of a problem.” He held out a tablet. Wong took it seeing as he was the closest, and looked.

“By the Vishanti.” He swore, before handing it to Tony and Stephen. Multiple videos showed what could only be described as hell opening up in various cities and countries, with demons pouring out and creating chaos and destruction. “How bad is it?”

“Bad enough that we’re asking for help.” Loki took the tablet next, viewing the different videos.

“They’re distractions.” He spoke up.

“What do you mean?” Loki tapped on one video to enlarge it and show it to the others. They watched as demons grabbed at people on the streets who were running away, and threw things around like cars and tables off a nearby restaurant but they weren’t deliberately attacking people.

“Shit. Why would they need to distract us?”

“To buy Mephisto more time.” Wong spoke up. “What exactly did he say in regards to Riven?” He asked Stephen and Tony.

“He said he wanted Riven to come willingly, so that he can be used to destroy realms.”

“But he never said he’d have to stay willingly?” 


“No? He said he’d create a new contract for the two of them.”

“Which means the contract is still being written up. My guess is that this—” Loki motioned to the tablet as he talked. “Is a distraction. He’s trying to buy time because Riven is not letting up so easily.”

“That could be it…so what do we do?” Stephen asked.

“I’ll have the students and the masters help in regards to all of these breakouts. Since we now know Loki has his true name, we can go to Hell and retrieve him.” Wong said, leaving the room.

“Any idea on who we can have as backup like we mentioned before?” Loki asked him, following.

“Let me try again with my contact. Stephen didn’t you recently have someone help with the sigils and runes?” Wong raised an eyebrow at him.

“I did. Let me see if he can help as well.” Stephen followed as Rhodey also stepped out. Tony looked to Ana, but stepped to the doorframe. He didn’t want to go too far, just in case. “I’ll reach out once we have the portals—“

“Reach out now. We’ll deal with the portals.” Wong waved, looking to Loki. “Think any of your mage’s can help?”

“If not our mages our warriors. I’ll notify Thor, although I have a feeling he knows since I had to rush out of Vanaheim.”

“Wait you were still in Vanaheim when you felt the contract break?”

“Yes.” Loki closed his eyes. “I knew something was wrong. Riven would never break it unless something serious happened.” He opened them, looking to Tony and Stephen. “What of the witch?”

“Wanda?”

“Yes. Can she help?” Tony looked to Stephen.

“I can remove her bracers. We’ll need all the help we can get.” As Rhodey went with Wong to get the portals closed, Tony went back into Ana’s room. “I’ll be back hopefully with news.” Stephen kissed Tony’s forehead as he left.

“I’m going to make sure Thor knows what’s happening, and see if we can get Lady Eir to come keep an eye on Ana.”

“We didn’t think of her…kinda just panicked with how Ana dropped.”

“I understand. Anthony.” Tony looked up to the mage. “We will get him back. And we will heal Ana.”

“I know…” Tony gave him a sad smile. “I wish I could go with you but…Steph’s right. He managed to not only dissolve my tech but made me feel like—” He choked a bit at remembering the feeling. “It felt like when I first got the arc reactor put in.”

“You mean when you were kidnapped?” Loki’s eyebrows raised in surprise.

“Yeah. The pain, the lung capacity…only thing it was missing was the dirt and grime from the cave.” He watched as the mage’s eyes narrowed in anger.

“How dare he.”

“Pretty sure he made Stephen feel the pain in his hands when he had his surgeries.”

“I noticed he was holding them differently while we were speaking…I’ll bring some of my salve from New Asgard for his hands.”

“Thanks Lokes.” He watched as he left, before looking back to Ana’s body. He finally sat down next to it, and took her hand gently. “We’re gonna be get him back Tesoro…promise.”

“Boss?” Friday spoke up a little while later.

“What’s up babygirl?”

“Michael and Peter were wondering if they could come down.” Michael Peter and Mia hadn’t visited just yet, but knew what happened. At least, they knew Ana was hurt and Riven was gone.

“Yeah…we need to watch for Mia’s reactions. If she feels Riven’s gone…” Tony sighed.

“I’ve warned them. They’re on their way now.” Not a few minutes went by before the two boys came in, with Peter holding Mia.

“Oh.” Peter breathed out, eyes widening at looking at Ana. Michael’s hands went to his mouth, stifling the noise he made. Mia zeroed in on Ana, staring with a blank expression before her face crumbled.

“R-Riven—” Tony quickly stood and took Mia from Peter.

“We know baby. We know.” He rubbed her back soothingly as she cried. Peter wrapped an arm around Michael’s shaking shoulders as they came closer to the bed. “But your Papa and I are working on getting him back.”

“H-How?” Michael sniffled.

“Plan is in the works. It’s more your Pops since the bastard that did this made my armor dissolve.”

“Wait, will Pops be ok?”

“Well…so far Wong and Loki are going with, they’re trying to get others to help. Pretty sure they’re getting Wanda too.”

“So what do we do?”

“Not much we can do…but stay by her side.” Tony sat down, holding the still crying little girl. It took her a while to finally calm down.

“I can’t feel her…” Mia whispered, voice raw.

“She’s there. She’s just…” Tony paused, looking to the body in the bed. “She’s hurt. Badly.” Mia whimpered, but said nothing else.

——

It was a few hours later after Tony got the three kids upstairs and in bed that he found himself back down in Ana’s room. Stephen Wong and Loki hadn’t come back, but Rhodey told him that all types of sorcerers came and helped seal up the portals that Mephisto had caused around the world. New portals kept popping up but they were on top of it enough that it was mildly contained.

“Tony?” Tony blinked and looked to the door.

“Rogers?” Rogers kept his eyes on Ana.

“Any update on her?”

“No…our Hogwarts professors ran off to get help in regards to the demon that took Riven.” Rogers gave a soft snort.

“I know that reference now.” He came in, and sat not too far from him. “I’m sorry.”

“For?”

“For the fact this happened? I know you don’t want to hear that from me but…I would never, ever want this for you. For your kids.” He sighed. “I know Ana and I got off on the wrong foot, mainly because I’m a stubborn ass—”

“Cap! Langauge!” Tony gasped.

“But…she’s a good kid. RIven’s a good…person? Entity?” Rogers looked to him for help.

“Realmwalker. He’s a Realmwalker.”

“How…sorry it's not my business.”

“No…no I want to tell you.” And he did. He wanted to talk about the kind and gentle creature that became his son. The overprotective entity that fit so well into their family. So he told Rogers about the cult, the soulbond, everything. After he finished telling their story Rogers leaned back in his seat.

“Damn. So you had not 3 kids but 4…and then Peter happened.”

“Pete’s been my kid since I found him on Youtube using sweats and a ski mask as a suit.”

“You’re joking. Sweats and a ski mask?”

“Nope.”

“Even if I didn’t like him being pulled into our fight, I’m glad he had you. Has…you. You’re a good dad Tony.” Tony blinked, watching the super solider in front of him.

“Thanks Steve.” He thought calling him by his first name would cause him to feel..something negative, but that wasn’t the case. In fact the million watt smile he got made him feel better. They were interrupted by a knock at the door, and Wanda peeked in. “Hey Wanda.”

“Tony.” She nodded, before coming in. She looked to Ana and looked hurt seeing the girl in the state she was in. “I wanted to talk to you about what you plan to do about Riven.”

“So far Loki has a plan and Stephen Wong and him are going to find others to help.”

“I want to help as well.” He blinked, staring at the woman.

“Really?”

“Of course. Riven gave me a chance to fix myself…he’s giving me the chance to have my boys back…” She looked down to her stomach, hand pressing against it as if she could already feel her children. “I would do anything I could for him.”

“Thank you.” Tony felt relief knowing they’d have more help.

“Anytime. I also have someone else who might be able to help…if I bribe her.”

“Who?”

“Remember how in Westview I mentioned there was another witch?”

“Yeah you left her there.”

“She’s strong…she can help.”

“Yeah but will she?”

“I’ll give her an ultimatum. Help or be stuck back in Westview.”

“Good ultimatum.” Wanda nodded.

“Strange—Stephen?” She wasn’t sure what to call him but Tony nodded. “Took my bracers off before he left. I’m going to head out now, and I’ll let you know what she says.”

“Alright, I’ll let Rhodey know Stephen allowed them off. Keep us posted.”

“I will…and Tony?” Tony hummed a response. “Please get some rest. I can’t imagine how it is to see her like this but…you need to rest. For your children’s sake.” At first Tony wanted to snap at her, but he remembered what Riven had said about her children…her boys. They were little kids when she lost them, she had spent ‘years’ as their mother…so she knew what she was talking about.

“I will. Thanks.” She nodded before leaving. Steve stood, and looked to him as if waiting. “What?”

“You’re going to rest Tony. Friday will keep an eye on Ana, won’t you Friday?”

“Of course Captain Rogers.” Before she had called him Mr. Rogers or just ‘Rogers’, so obviously him pushing for Tony to rest meant he was good in her books.

“Alright. I need to check on the kids…Mia just stopped crying, and I know Peter and Michael are camping out in one of their rooms.”

“Can…Can I help? I know James is up there too.”

“Yeah…I’d like that.”

——

The feeling of shaky hands brushing through his hair is what woke Tony up the next morning. He jerked up, groaning at the crick in his neck he got sleeping awkwardly on the couch.

“Hey love.” Stephen spoke softly.

“Stephen? What time is it?”

“Little after 8. James and Steve took care of the kids this morning. They’re doing half days since everything is well..hectic. Loki Wong and Jericho are downstairs.”

“Jericho?”

“My associate from New Orleans.”

“Ah.” Tony stretched, groaning. “He a wizard too?”

“Kinda of. He goes by Doctor Voodoo, and—”

“Wait. He goes by Doctor Voodoo?”

“Well yes—”

“Is he an actual doctor? Like he doesn’t just use the title?” At the silence Tony raised an eyebrow at his fiancé. Stephen sighed.

“Yes he’s an actual doctor. He’s got his PhD.”

“Oh my god what is it with doctors going into magic?!”

“Tony.” Stephen chuckled, shaking his head but happy to see some sass from his lover.

“Sorry, I’ll behave.”

“No you won’t.”

“No I won’t.” An hour or so later Tony found himself entering one of the conference rooms where Wong and Loki were talking to a tall dark skinned man with a streak of white in his hair and a strange mark on his forehead. They all turned to Tony, and the newcomer came over to introduce himself.

“Mr. Stark. My name is Jericho Drumm…your fiancé told me what happened to your daughter. I’m hoping I can be of help.”

“Thank you. I’m hoping you can help with my son too.” At the confused look he continued. “Riven? The one that’s in Hell?”

“You consider the Realmwalker your son?”

“Of course I do! Did you not know that?” Tony bristled.

“I did not. But that does not change things. Yes I am here to also help with your son. If I may, may I see the girl?” Tony looked to Stephen, who nodded.

“Follow me.” When Jericho went to Ana’s side, he raised a hand over her forehead and concentrated. Tony watched nervously, before feeling Stephen’s hand on his shoulder. He leaned back into the touch, needing as much comfort as possible.

“It is as you said Stephen. Half of her soul is gone. Do you happen to have the rituals or spells that was used to bind her to the Realmwalker?”

“We do. Loki went to get them while we came down here.”

“Good. I’ll need to see how it was done. I’m worried…even if we get Riven’s soul back, we may not be able to bring him home.”

“What? Why?”

“Because he doesn’t have a body. What Stephen described to me was his soul, his essence so to speak. Without a body he won’t be able to properly exist.”

“I didn’t think of that.” Stephen sighed.

“It wasn’t on the top of your priorities. Let’s see what we can do with what we have.” When they went back to the conference room they found Loki with the different books from the Cult that they had gotten originally, along with Wong and Wanda. Another newcomer was looking through what was on the table, not looking happy in the slightest.

“Who’s this?” Tony asked. Wanda looked to him a gave him a forced smile.

“Tony. This is Agatha Harkness. She’s the one I left in Westview.” Agatha growled at the reminder. “And she’s lucky I wanted her help.” Wanda hissed at her, glaring.

“The only reason I agreed was to get out of your damn spell. And because I want the Darkhold.”

“I don’t have it.” Wanda stated simply.

“Y-You don’t what?!” Tony looked to Wong and Loki, who just rolled their eyes.

“I don’t have it.”

“Who does?!”

“Riven was the last one to have it.” Wong answered her, handing Jericho another book to look at. “Meaning he knows.” Stephen raised an eyebrow at Wong. They all knew Wong helped seal it away but if wanted to push for ignorance he wasn’t going to speak up.

“And this Riven is the one we’re getting out of Hell?” Agatha crossed her arms.

“Yes. Although we may have bumped into another problem.” Jericho answered. “The spell this…Johnathan did? It was a fluke. It took a ton of sacrifices to even get the energy to do it.”

“So we can’t bring him back?” Tony asked, starting to lose hope.

“We can. But we will need a body as I had feared.” Jericho looked to Agatha. “Think you can help?”

“Of course I can.” She snorted. “Between you me and Wanda we can create a body easily.”

“Me?” Wanda blinked.

“Seriously? You created your children out of pure magic.”

“But I couldn’t keep them.”

“That’s what we’ll help with then.” Jericho said, closing the book he had. “We’ll stabilize it so his soul can successfully enter it.”

“Alright. So we have Stephen, Harkness, Drumm, Maximoff and Wong coming.” Loki clapped his hands together. “Now we need a way in.”

“I have that covered.” Wong said, pulling out his slingring. “I tried to get my contact Blaze to help but he’s ‘busy’.” Wong snorted.

“Blaze?” Stephen asked.

“Johnny Blaze.”

“Why does that sound familiar?” It took a moment before it clicked for Tony.

“The stuntman?!” Tony’s jaw dropped.

“Stuntman?” Wanda asked.

“Yes same Blaze but he’s ‘unavailable’ so…” Wong opened a portal and out stepped a young man with a white streak in his hair and mismatched colored eyes. “I had to have someone else step in.” The mans eyes darted around to everyone.

“Uh…hi?”

“Who’s this?” Loki tilted his head.

“My name’s Robbie. Robbie Reyes. And I’m pretty sure I’m your chauffeur to hell.”

Notes:

Did I just throw Doctor Voodoo and Robbie Reyes aka Ghost Rider in my story? Yes I did. Will Mephisto be in trouble? Maybe. Probably. We'll have to see.

See you all Wednesday!

Chapter 29: "I am the righteous hand of God. And I am the Devil that you forgot"

Notes:

Hello everyone! I'm so sorry I didn't upload yesterday, Thanksgiving threw my whole week through a loop so I wasn't finished with the chapter and then I wasn't happy with some stuff so there was a ton of editing and uuuugh I'm sorry.

Also as far as Robbie, I'm basing him more towards the comics, because that's how I got introduced him, so I hope I do him justice. The POV will be changing to Stephen but you'll know when that happens :D

Thank you all for the love and support, I hope I did well for this chapter!

Title - Hell's Coming With Me by Poor Man's Poison

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Someone wanna tell me how this kid is gonna be your chauffeur to hell?” Tony said after a moment of silence. Wong motioned them to follow as he led them out of the conference room and out to the front of the compound.

“Reyes here has a…particular set of skills that can help us.”

“Did you really just quote ‘Taken’?” Stephen rolled his eyes.

“Maybe.”

“I mean Mr. Wong—”

“Just Wong.”

“Ok…’Just Wong’.” Robbie then rolled his eyes. “Isn’t wrong. I have a way to get to hell, and I have no problems helping.” Tony snorted a laugh which he quickly covered as a cough at the look Wong gave the young man while they got outside and a bit a way from the building. Once there Robbie turned to them and flames erupted from his mouth before it consumed the rest of his head. Stephen quickly shielded Tony, while Loki, Jericho, Wanda and Agatha all took stances for whatever was about to happen.

“What the—”

“Hell?” Tony and Stephen watched as the fire died down and revealed a bleached white skull with flames coming from the sides of his mouth and on top of his head. “Jesus kid is that still you?”

“Not a kid Mr. Stark.” Robbie growled out.

“Yeah I can see that.” Robbie turned, and they watched as from behind him a wall of flame appeared before dying down to reveal a car. “Holy shit…that’s a 1969 Dodge Charger…” Tony stepped up a bit, only for Stephen to put his hand on his shoulder. “Please let me get a closer look.” Robbie nodded, stepping back. As Tony went over to look closer and geek out, Wong turned to Robbie.

“We’re going to use your Hell Charger to get into hell. From there the plan is to get Loki—” Loki gave a little wave. “—over to where Mephisto has his soul. Once he releases Riven we need to find a way to get the hell out of…well hell.”

“How’re we getting there with this car?” Agatha asked, raising an eyebrow. Robbie turned to her, pinning her with a look.

“No she’s right…this portal you’re creating, we can travel through it while being in the car?” Jericho asked.

“Yes. Although we can fit 5 of you.”

“Including us? What about you?” Stephen asked.

“Don’t worry about me.” After he spoke the flames flared to create smoke before standing before them was Robbie, flesh and blood. “I can handle getting you guys there without being in the car.”

“Alright then, shall we finish preparations?” It didn’t take long for the others to get ready, but Stephen wanted to say goodbye to Tony and the kids. While the others waited outside Tony and Stephen met them in Ana’s room. “I’m going to get Riven back.” He told them as he held Mia. The little girl had her arms around Stephens neck, mumbling something.

“That sounds dangerous.” Peter said quietly, looking fearful.

“It is. But I’ll have backup. I need you to take care of each other.” Stephen reached out and pulled Peter to his side. “Take care of your dad too.” He said softly in his eldest’s ear. Tony took Mia who whined but reluctantly let go, while Stephen pulled Michael over and held onto him too. “I’ll be back as soon as possible.”

“Be careful Pops.” Michael said, clinging to the back of his robes.

“Always.” He pulled away from them, and Michael took Mia now so Stephen could wrap himself around his fiancé.

“You better come back in one piece.” Tony sniffled. “I mean it. I’ll find a way to hell…maybe call up Blaze to piggy back down there.”

“Don’t you dare.” Stephen chuckled. “I’ll be back. And I’m bringing our son back as well.” Tony gave him a weak smile, before it faltered.

“I’m scared Stephen.”

“I am too.”

“I hate not know if you’ll be ok.” Stephen thought for a moment, before reaching down and whispering into the inventor’s ear.

“I’ll send a sign once we’ve got him…once we’re safe.”

“Promise?”

“Always.” Tony hugged the sorcerer one more time, before watching him leave. He knew if he went out there with the others he’d try to find a way to go with them.

—*—

“We ready?” Stephen asked after he took a breath to calm down. He watched as Wong and Jericho went through runes to put on the others for protection. Loki seemed to be taking his own calming breath. He knew if he went back into the compound James would march back out with him, guns blazing to go with.

“Ready as we’ll ever be.” Wanda said, looking nervous.

“How’re we doing this?” He asked Robbie.

“Like I said, I can fit 5 of you in the car. That leaves me and one other on the outside. So long as whoever it is is strong enough to stay as close as possible to my car I can bring them along.”

“I’ll do it.” Both Stephen and Wong said at the same time. Stephen raised an eyebrow while Wong pinned him with his usual unamused stare. After a moment Robbie coughed, trying to interrupt their little standoff.

“I’m worried your little cape mig—” Robbie barely got the word ‘cape’ out before Levi flared up and away from Stephen as if to attack him. “The hell?!”

“Levi, be nice. He didn’t know you’re a cloak.” Stephen chastised without breaking eye contact from Wong. Levi wrapped back around Stephen, the lapels flaring angrily.

“Stephen.”

“Wong.”

“I know my way around portals to hell. Just because I can’t open them doesn’t mean I don’t understand how dangerous this is. Please stay in the car.” 

“Fine. But if ‘Uncle Wong’ is hurt you’re explaining that to Mia.” Wong swallowed, but nodded. Whenever Stephen was at the Sanctum with her she’d be on her best behavior, always trailing behind Wong and sitting with him as he studied. She would then imitate Wong while he read using her own books. He knew if the little girl saw so much as a burn mark on him she’d freak.

“Who’s Mia?” Agatha asked.

“My daughter. My youngest actually.” Agatha hummed, finishing up the last of the runes. “Ready?”

“As we’ll ever be, Stephen.” Jericho said, before climbing into the car. The others followed suit, with Wong creating a spell to anchor him to the back of the car.

“Loki…will you be ok with the heat?” Stephen looked to the Jotunn. Loki pulled out from under his shirt a large amulet he hadn’t noticed before.

“I have my ways of protecting myself. Just make sure you’ll be ok.” Stephen nodded as he watched Robbie’s head become that creepy bleached skull before he jumped on the hood of the car. Stephen jolted when he saw the air intake scoop on the top of car burst into flame. He peeked out of the window and saw the tires were also on fire, before watching as the car started to move even though he was behind the wheel.

“The car is moving…on it’s own…” Wanda said in awe as they started to pick up speed.

“Yup.” Stephen watched as Robbie swung two chains that seemed to come out of nowhere before cracking them like whips and having the hooked ends dig into the road in front of them. The hooks seemed to tear the asphalt open to a pit of flames and smoke that they were driving right into. “Is that—”

“A portal to hell.” Jericho interrupted him. “Hang on!” They drove right into the pit and Stephen gripped the wheel in front of him as they drove deeper into hell itself. Robbie seemed right at home on top of the hood of the car, almost like it was a surf board instead of the Dodge Charger.

“You ok Wong?!” Stephen yelled, looking behind them. He could see from the rear view window Wong holding on for dear life with his own chains hooked into the back.

“Oh just fantastic.” He yelled dryly.

“Good to see he has his sense of humor.” Loki chuckled.

“That’s him with a sense of humor?” Agatha asked.

“Yep.” Stephen Wanda and Loki said. Jericho laughed.

“Almost there!” Robbie yelled, before they suddenly launched out of nowhere, heading straight for the ground of the hellish landscape. The car skidded to a stop, before Robbie jumped down. “Hell sweet hell.” As Stephen exited the car he saw demons around them all cautiously watching, but not attacking. He looked and saw in the distance a large throne like structure made from the same red stone around them. Sitting on said throne was Mephisto, and next to him was the cage that held Riven’s soul.

“Riven.” Stephen's heart ached at seeing the cage. Mephisto was watching them, before he stood. The demons around them growled and snarled around them, watching as their master levitated towards the car.

“Well well well. What do we have here?” Mephisto raised an eyebrow. “What are you doing in my realm?”

“Getting my son back.” Stephen said, instantly getting into battle stance. From the corner of his eye he could see Wanda and Agatha begin to weave their spells for attack, while he could hear Wong’s own Tao Mandalas forming. He could also hear Robbie’s chain swinging as he stepped up beside Stephen.

“You really think you can get him from me?” Mephisto scoffed. “We have a deal.”

“Maybe so but I’m not leaving without him…even if it means taking his contract from you in the process.” Mephisto frowned, arm raised to hit Stephen with a spell before his eyes narrowed. The spell fizzled, and he growled.

“I can’t even hit you right now because of our agreement. But that doesn’t stop my minions.” Mephisto chuckled, before waiving a hand towards them. “Deal with these insects for me, will you?” That’s all it took before the demons attacked while Mephisto watched from above them, smirking. Spells, blades and chains went flying as they all took to the wave of hellspawn thrown at them.

“How many damn hordes are there?!” Agatha yelled over the sounds of demons. It had been a bit and each group they seem to get through were replaced with multiple more.

“Well we are in hell so…endless?” Wanda answered, causing several demons in front of her to explode in a haze of red.

“How did you not expect endless demons?” Loki asked as his knives cut through the few demons in front of him.

“I did just…not this much I guess?” Agatha groaned as she crushed some in her own spells. “It feels endless, and we’ve been at this for what feels like hours!”

“Less complaining more killing!” Wong said as he shot down some of the demons that were in the air above them.

“Fine Dad.” Loki rolled his eyes.

“Do not ever call me that.” Stephen snorted, but noticed that they were getting pushed further and further away from the cage, it barely in view now. Stephen looked behind them and saw they were close the bottom of a cliffside.

“We need to get me closer.” Loki looked to Stephen and Wong.

“Really? You think!” Wong grunted as he fought off two larger demons who wanted to take his head off. “Any idea on how to do that?” Before he could get a response he heard Jericho yell for them to duck. A chain swung through the air cutting through the swarm, cutting them all down. That caught Mephisto’s attention.

“You.” Mephisto sneered at Robbie.

“Me.” Mephisto launched himself towards him, flinging spells and dodging chains. Stephen realized what Robbie was doing…he was distracting Mephisto.

“Cover us!” He called to Wanda and Jericho. While they swept to clear the area, Wong and Stephen began to pull portals open. Loki quickly dashed towards them as they opened in a chain towards the cage. Mephisto paused to watch them move.

“Oh no you—” He went to attack them but was literally yanked back by Robbie grabbing him with his chains. “Unhand me!”

“You’re mine Cabrón!” Robbie roared as he pulled the demon further away from the others.

“Go Loki!” Agatha reached out touching the side of his neck as he ran through the portal. One after the other opened and closed, helping Loki dodge some of the bigger demons that were closer to the throne.

“Stop him!” Mephisto yelled grabbing onto Robbie’s chains that were wrapped around him and throwing him. Robbie grunted painfully as he crashed into one of the nearby cliffside. Stephen watched as one of the larger ones swiped at Loki only to have him split into multiple versions of himself. They all darted around, with one mainly heading towards the cage. Since Mephisto was free of Robbie’s chains he teleported right in front of that Loki and grabbed him by the throat. “You’re not getting any closer.” Loki grinned, before dissolving away. “What?” Jericho just laughed. He and Agatha had created a physical duplicate of Loki so if Mephisto go too close he’d grab the wrong one. He noticed another one that was close and blasted him with a spell. It went right through him and the copy disappeared. “Where are you?!” He bellowed. It wasn’t until he turned back to Stephen and the others he realized Loki had been right there the whole time, up on the cliff overseeing the battle below.

“Riven Stark!” His voice echoed through the hellscape thanks to Agatha’s spell she put on his throat. Stephen was sure everyone in this realm could hear him. “I invoke my contract on your true name—” Mephisto teleported closer, only to be grabbed by not only Robbie’s chains but Stephen’s Crimson Bands spell. He was thankful he looked into the actual spell after his run in with it thanks to Mordo.

“Don’t you dare Jotunn!” Mephisto struggled, but more spells joined to tether him the chains and bands. Stephen glanced over to see Wanda and Agatha helping, while Jericho and Wong fended off the horde of demons that were on them.

“—And destroy any contracts you have until your given. Be released—” Mephisto roared, as if to block Loki’s voice out.

“Riv’athoch”

For a moment there was nothing. It felt the the entire realm stood still, and Stephen's stomach dropped. But then there was a pulse that they could feel in the ground, and they heard a strange loud chittering like sound. He had heard that once before...back in a Hydra base.

"What is that?" Jericho asked, as the demons around them paused, listening to the sound.

"That..is a-"

"Realmwalker." Stephen interrupted Wong.

Notes:

Look at that. Riven's real name. And now. The fun begins.

See you all Wednesday!

Chapter 30: "Down...Let it all burn down, burn it to the ground, you'll be safe and sound, let it all burn down."

Notes:

Helloooo beautiful people! Thank you again for the love and support you've given me with this story, it really helps especially with how crappy the end of the year gets for me. I appreciate all of you <3

Warning: Lots of chaos. I really hope I was able to describe everything properly, I had to have my spouse help double check how I worded things so it made sense.

Title - I Disagree by Poppy

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

As the chittering got louder, the terrain around them seemed to shake. At first, no one knew what to do, demons weren’t attacking and Stephen and the others stopped, looking in the direction of where the cage was. Mephisto only took a moment to recover from his shock before he turned and lunged at Loki. Loki jumped back into a waiting portal that swallowed him up. He arrived at the bottom with the others, Wong closing the portal before Mephisto got there.

“You absolute fool!” Mephisto roared as he grew larger. “Do you have any idea what you’ve done?!”

“Couple things.” Loki taunted. “Broke your contract, awakened a Realmwalker, now has said Realmwalker loose in your realm…” He ticked off the items. The ground around them shook harder, causing those around to stumble a bit before they heard cries and screams in the distance. The hordes of demons that were once swarming to attack them were now running…ignoring them as they did so. “And apparently having your little minions running scared.”

“No! No no no no no!” Mephisto cried as he watched them all run, ignoring him and the others completely.

“Think your Realmwalker is friendly?” Jericho asked.

“What? Of course, why would you ask that?!” Stephen asked bewildered.

“Because that doesn’t look friendly.” He turned and saw several demons being speared by very familiar ribbons, that lead up into the sky. What happened next wasn’t very familiar…in fact it terrified Stephen. The demons that were speared began to twitch and convulse before seeming to turn inward, crumpling up as if—

“Why does that look like a capri sun pouch?” Wanda asked weakly. It really did, it looked like they were being crumpled and sucked into the ribbons, leaving nothing there. Another shudder came across the terrain before the chittering stopped.

“Now what?” Wong asked. A sound echo’d through the area. It sounded like large, beating wings. They watched as what could only be described as a giant white bird land nearby, wings flaring up. Three heads turned, looking at Stephen as the others. It was Riven, no—It was Riv’athoch. The middle head tilted it’s head, before looking up to where Mephisto was floating in shock and terror. His eyes narrowed before his throat began to work, bobbing to create that chittering sound again. His wings curled and wrapped around him, before it began to break apart to reveal his wings were just ribbons. As they began to split and pull away, they saw that he had changed. He looked…human. He was pure white in skin and hair, while from the elbows and knees where black, like when he used his claws on others. Speaking of knees, Stephen blinked at seeing talons instead of feet, as if he was half changed. Some of the ribbons around him wrapped his lower body to cover him, while the rest fluttered about.

“By the Vishanti.” He heard Wong gasp as the remaining ribbons pulled away, showing that his head—or really heads—were slowly merging into one main one. His eyes were closed as he transformed, and after it was completed they watched as Riv’athoch’s eyes opened. All three pairs of them. Above his brow was one, while the other rested under, on the cheek bone. “He looks just like Ana.”

“He does.” Loki agreed, swallowing. And it was true. His facial features were a lot like Ana’s, the same arch of her eyebrow, the same nose…the jawline was more…masculine. The ribbons around him seemed to be coming from his back, but they fluttered around, almost like they were of their own mind. Once done they realized he was still rather large, large enough to deal with Mephisto in his current size.

“Again, is he friendly?!” Jericho stepped back.

“…I don’t know.” Riv’athoch looked up to Mephisto, and that Cheshire grin spread even further. It wasn’t until he began to grin that they realized he had a glasgow smile, causing his mouth to stretch further than what a normal humans mouth could, and that it was full of razor sharp teeth.

“Ok now he doesn’t look like her.” Loki mumbled.

”Mephisssstooooooooo.” His voice was…off. Stephen could barely hear it but it sounded like Ana’s voice was mixed into his deep guttural tone.

“No! You can’t—We had a deal!” Mephisto seemed to break from his stupor to begin to sling spells at him. Each one was cut down by a ribbon that in turn tried to strike him. Mephisto put shields up, dodging them as he continued to try and strike him. “This can’t be happen—” Whatever he was about to say, was cut off by Riv’athoch suddenly appearing in front him. He barely had time to put a barrier up before the Realmwalker was on it. He began to claw and bang on it, grinning madly. The tips of said claws managed to stick to it, allowing him leverage to cling to the red shield.

”What’s wrong Mephisto!? Isn’t this what you wanted?! You wanted a Realmwalker didn’t you?!” He taunted, claws starting to break through the demon lords barrier. Each hit and scratch caused both Mephisto and Riv’athoch to be pushed further back.

“You were suppose to be under MY contract!” Mephisto hissed. “All other contracts were broken!”

”You’re right. All the other contracts were broken. Riven’s contract. Didn’t you hear him?!” Riv’athoch had a crazed look in all six black eyes. “I. Am. Riv’athoch.” He punctuated each word with another fist hitting the barrier, causing more cracks to shift and splinter it. “And you, Mephisto…are mine One more hit and the barrier crumbled, allowing Riv’athoch to claw at Mephisto. Mephisto twisted away and teleported even further, before he raised his hands and most of the demons who were running away, turned and began to attack the Realmwalker.

“We need to keep them busy, so he can deal to Mephisto.” Wong called out, flagging the others to strike. Riv’athoch himself was cutting down as many as he could while still making his way towards the demon he wanted to maim.

“Now now now…let’s talk about this! I’m sure we can come to a new agreement!” Mephisto continued to throw spells at Riv’athoch, the charismatic smile he had for a moment was slowly falling from his red face. “I’m sure there’s something you want I can get you!”

“Something I want….” Riv’athoch paused in his slaughtering, head tilting to the side. “I…I had everything…” He voice got deeper as he growled. ”I had everything I ever wanted! I had a home…family…” One of his claws came up to touch hold the side of his head as he looked to the sky, a whine escaping him. ”I had Ana…and now…I can barely feel her…” His head then snapped to Mephisto, eyes wide and emotionless. “And it’s all your fault.” Mephisto’s face went blank before he threw two large spells at him, taking that moment to try to fly away. Before he could get too far Robbie’s chains were thrown and latched onto his ankle, dragging him back to the fray.

“Where do you think you’re going, hm? This is your mess!” Mephisto growled, before something caught his eye. Stephen. Stephen, who was trying to blast a few demons who were grabbing at Riv’athoch down. He was farther from where the others were, and had his back turned. A malicious grin appeared on his face as he twisted out of Robbie’s chains, before he formed a magical spike, throwing it at the Sorcerer Supreme. No one else had noticed until it was too late.

“Stephen!”

“Strange!”

“No!” Stephen turned and saw the spike, eyes widening. He panicked, flinching instead of putting up a shield. He shut his eyes tightly and tensed, waiting for the pain but instead he felt something shift around him and something warm and wet hit his cheek.

”Pater…” Stephen’s eyes shot open as he looked up to Riv’athoch, who was leaning down and shielding him from the large red magical spike. It was currently sticking out of his chest, but still far away from hurting Stephen. His ribbons were around them, cocooning them away from the chaos outside.

“Riven? Oh Riven!” Stephen panicked, reaching up and placing a hand on his cheek. “Y-You—”

”I’m fine…” He hissed a bit as he shifted, still wrapped around Stephen. He could hear the fighting around them had shifted, but couldn’t really bother to think of what that meant. ”The wound is superficial.” He saw that his body was dripping black thick…blood? Maybe blood? Was now staining his chest. He reached up and touched where he had felt something wet land on his check. It as the same black ooze, and it felt thick like sludge. “I promise…I’m ok…” It was then Stephen could see that Riv’athoch’s body was actually made of the ribbons. He hadn’t created an actual body. His large head leaned down, and he nuzzled his father’s neck...more so his shoulder. He could hear and feel him inhaling and purring, causing a wet chuckle to bubble up.

“What are you—”

“Ana’s senses are dull…I can actually scent you properly…” He pulled back, smiling softly before pressing his forehead against Stephen’s. “How’d you get Il Babbo to not come?”

“Tears mainly. Plus we needed someone to stay with…” Stephen swallowed painfully. “She’s alive. We’ve got her on life support but she’s…she’s alive.” A soft whine escaped Riv’athoch. “She’ll be ok…one we get you home she’ll be ok…” He couldn’t tell who he was trying to comfort, himself or the large Realmwalker in front of him.

“I can’t wait…I missed you…and Il Babbo….Little Spider, Little one, Brave boy…and my beloved…” He shuddered and whined again, titling his head up and looking towards the red sky. He didn’t quite sound like he was all there.

“Riv…?” He watched as the spike began to shift and be sucked into his body, leaving nothing but the black stains.

“I’m sorry…my mind is…” He let out a shuddered sigh. “With Ana…I can’t feel it but now…” He looked back to the sorcerer, his claw coming up to cup his cheek…granted he was so big that it more or less cradled the side of Stephen’s head. “I’m so hungry Pater…I want to take…to destroy and consume…but I have to keep reminding myself why I need to stop Mephisto…to put him in his place so he can never come after us again.” Stephen nodded, understanding. “I love you.”

“I love you too son…now let’s get back out there and show that little shit who’s boss.” The cocky grin he got made Stephen’s stomach flutter with happiness…it was the same he got whenever Riven was smug about something.

“Gladly.” He straighten up, with the ribbons now shuddered and pulled away to reveal the world around them. It looked like they were still going against the demons Mephisto summoned, along with the creature himself trying to pick apart the group that had come down to hell to get Riv’athoch back. Mephisto caught sight of him, and a smug grin formed on his face.

“What the matter Realmwalker? I thought you were strong enough to fight me…apparently not.” Riv’athoch’s head tilted, before the ribbons that floated around him suddenly went taut; a moment later striking out and spearing dozens of demons around them. Mephisto’s smugness dropped as he watched said demons curl in on themselves, being consumed through the ribbons until nothing was left. He then slammed his claws down into the red dirt, and Stephen watched as the color seemed to drain around them, the ground now an ashy dead grey. Riv’athoch shifted, and this close Stephen could see the barely there lines of the ribbons forming his body merge together, creating a more solid form.

“Now I am.” Was the only warning he got before Mephisto had a very angry Realmwalker on him, claws digging into his flesh. They began to fight up above the others, allowing Stephen to close the gap between him and the others, cutting a few demons down along the way.

“You ok?” Wong asked, dodging one imp before smacking it with spell.

“Yeah. Riven’s going to try to ‘put Mephisto in his place’ whatever that means.”

“It means I think your boy is now winning.” Agatha called, motioning to where Mephisto was having to back down from Riv’athoch. Every time it looked like he got the upper hand the Realmwalker knocked him down, causing more and more damage around them. If Riv’athoch didn’t consume the realm he was going to destroy it just by fighting Mephisto. Finally it looked like the ruler of hell had enough.

“Please! Whatever you want I can give it to you just…spare me—spare my domain!” That caused whatever attack Riv’athoch was getting ready to do stop.

“Anything?”

“Yes! Anything!” He gasped, pulling further away. “I believe I said that before!”

“You did. But I didn’t think you really meant it.”

“And now?”

“You’re desperation is showing.” Riv’athoch chuckled, but it sounded more like a coo from a bird. “I want…you to leave us alone. I want you to pull up a contract where you can no longer enter our realm. And if…by some strange way you have access to it, I don’t want you anywhere near me and mine. That includes anyone I’ve ever been around. Anyone. If I so much as get a hint of sulfur or demonic energy the contract will be null and void and I will…” He took a step closer. “…Be back to finish the job. And Mephisto?” he hummed. “I no longer have Ana tethered to me. Meaning I can easily come here and break you.” There was a pause, where it looked like Mephisto was thinking it over. Riv’athoch stomped one of his talons, digging it into the ground; where it started to drain the color away.

“Alright! Alright I’ll pull up a contract! Just—please!” Riv’athoch shifted, shrinking to a normal height with Mephisto following. The demons that were attacking began to back away, steering clear of them all. “Here…” A scroll appeared, unraveling to show its contents to the Realmwalker. Riv’athoch peered at it, before humming in agreement.

“This contract will be with me. Riv’athoch. Meaning even if you tried to pull a fast one while I use Riven I will still be simmering underneath, able to tear everything apart!”

“O-Of course!” Riv’athoch touched the scroll with his claw, while Mephisto did the same. “It’s done…”

“Good. Now. Leave us. You and your little hellions scamper away, so that we may leave in peace.” With one final glare, Mephisto nodded before disappearing in a puff of flame. The demons continued to scamper away, until there was only the rescue party and the Realmwalker. “Loki.” The mage turned to listen to him. “Can you put u an illusion please? That we’re getting into the car?” He spoke softly. Loki nodded, before begin to weave the illusion around them. Once he nodded to him, Riv’athoch sank to his knees in exhaustion.

“Riven!” Stephen rushed over, holding him up.

“Used up too much energy…didn’t feed enough…I’ll be ok.”

“We need to stabilize him.” Jericho spoke as they came around to help. “Maximoff, Harkness, if you please.” Stephen held Riv’athoch’s hand as the witches began to feed magic into him. Jericho’s own calming sorcery helped stabilize the spell as they created a body for him. Gone were the black from his arms and legs, and his talons shifted into feet. His complexion was no longer sheet white, but an unhealthy grey. His eyes fluttered closed, and the extra pairs vanished. Stephen could see the little lines of ribbons were completely gone and instead he had smooth, albeit cold skin.

“There…he’s as good as…well close enough as new.” Agatha said, sighing in exhaustion.

“Riven?” Stephen questioned. “Are you back to Riven now?” Riven’s eyes opened, still the same black as before.

“Yes Pater” His voice was back to the same deep tone it had been when they first met. “…I’m back.”

Notes:

Riven's back!

Next chapter will be Tony's POV of what's happening during all this up on earth. Can't wait for you all to read it.

See you all Wednesday!

Chapter 31: "We need a lotta love to combat the evil, Lying in a bathtub hoping for a miracle"

Notes:

Hellooooo everyone! Thank you again for the comments and kudos, I love that people are really enjoying this story. Now, we saw what Stephen and the others were doing in hell...time to see how Tony's doing.

Warning - Medical. We all hate medical stuff.

Title - Oxford Blood by Autoheart

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Even knowing that time worked differently in hell, the wait for any news was starting to drive Tony mad. He had tried to function like normal, making sure Peter Michael and Mia were taken care of while waiting to hear anything. The one time he tried to stay upstairs to rest Ana’s blood pressure dropped to the point it was extremely touch and go for a few hours. Since then he barely left her side.

“Tony?” Tony blinked, looking to the doorway. He saw his oldest friend looking worried as he came in.

“Hey gumdrop. Any news on Carol?”

“She’ll be home in the next few days. I heard what happened last night.” He looked over to Ana.

“Yeah…it was—” something that took years off his life “—Terrifying.”

“I can’t imagine. Do the kids know?” Rhodey pulled up one of the chairs to sit next to his best friend.

“Peter knows. So does James. Christ Rhodey if I didn’t have him around right now I think I’d be completely lost.” James had stepped up in the last 48 hours making sure the three Stark kids were ok. They had called in that the kids would be away from school during all this, seeing as none of the adults could even think of forcing them to go and act like their siblings weren’t in life ending danger.

“I know. I know he’s having a hard time too. Vision has been floating around…I think he feels as lost as we all feel about this.” Tony sighed, leaning back in his chair. Lost was a good way to describe it. They had to wait for Stephen and the others to come back, hopefully with Riven’s soul…or body. He wasn’t sure how that’d work, but they all swore they’d bring him back. Rhodey stayed for a little while longer before he got up and headed out. Tony was left alone with Ana for a bit longer before a knock at the door had him look over.

“Hey dad.”

“Hey Pete.” Peter came over and hugged Tony tightly, before taking a seat on the other side of Ana’s bed. “Where’s Michael and Mia?”

“They’ll be down soon. I told Michael what happened but I couldn’t…” Peter sighed deeply. “I couldn’t tell Mia. She’s already taking this so hard…”

“It’s cause she can’t feel Riven. And she can feel that somethings wrong with Ana.” Peter nodded.

“I know. I hate it. I hate all of this…” Peter looked over to his father, exhaustion obvious on his features. “I wish we could help somehow…but Pops and the others are gone fighting what? Satan?”

“Apparently he’s called Mephisto.”

“Mephisto. They’re off fighting Mephisto while we’re here…and I feel helpless.” Tony motioned for his oldest to come around the bed, and once he was close enough Tony pulled him down into a tight hug.

“I know what you mean kiddo. But this isn’t our fight. We’re the tech guys, not the wand waiving guys.” Peter snorted, but Tony could feel his shoulder getting damp from Peter’s tears. “For now all we can do is sit tight and make sure Ana’s stable.” Peter nodded, sniffling a bit.

“Did we miss the group hug?” Tony looked to see Michael and Mia in the doorway, followed by James. Tony opened his arm and found himself with Mia in his lap and Michael pressed on his other side, Peter putting one of his arms around his little brother. Tony noticed movement from the corner of his eye and saw James pulling more seats for the kids to sit close to him while he took the other side of Ana’s bed where Peter once sat.

“Sorry I wasn’t up there this morning.” Tony murmured as he kissed the side of Michael’s head before doing the same to Mia and Peter.

“It's ok.” Michael pulled back, and Tony knew by the look in his eye he knew exactly why Tony wasn’t there.

“Ana needed you.” Mia spoke up, and at the glances his boys gave him he also knew they didn’t say anything to her…but as always she somehow knew what was going on.

“She did.”

“She’s gonna be ok.” Mia said sternly.

“Yeah?” Tony brushed her hair out of her eyes.

“Yeah.” The rest of the afternoon was spent with Michael and Peter setting up shop in the room to do schoolwork while Mia alternated between sitting in each of their laps. Vision at one point entered, and Mia sat with him so he could read to her. He looked like he needed the distraction.

“I’m gonna go get dinner started.” James spoke up, standing.

“Why don’t you guys go ahead and go upstairs?” Tony looked to Peter and Michael. They had spent the entire day there.

“What about you?”

“I…”

“He can’t leave her.” Peter answered Michael’s question. “Not after last night.” Michael looked concerned, but nodded.

“We’ll be back after dinner.”

“We’ll bring you whatever Uncle James makes.” Tony gave a weak smile, and watched as his family left. Once they were gone Tony was left with the soft beeping from Ana’s machines.

“They miss you Tesoro.” He spoke softly, reaching out and taking Ana’s hand. She had gotten colder and paler. “Fuck, I miss you. I hope your Pops can come home with Riven…and we can bring you back…I…” He choked a bit as he spoke, tears burning the corners of his eyes. “I miss you…we miss you…please….stay strong for all of us.”

——

“Tony?” Tony jerked awake, looking around at his name being called. It was hours after James ushered the kids out for their bedtimes, and he must’ve passed out sitting next to the bed. He groaned as he sat up straighter, his back protesting before looking to the doorway.

“Cap?”

“Hey…thought you might want a midnight buddy…if that’s ok?” Steve looked a little sheepish being there, but didn’t step into the room fully.

“Depends…do you have coffee?” Steve came into full view, and he had two steaming cups. “They both better be for me.”

“Of course.” The super solider chuckled, handing one to him before putting the other on the table nearby. “I heard what happened last night…she’s stable now?”

“As stable as she can get…” He took a sip, and felt a pang of sadness as he drank. It tasted off…

It wasn’t Ana’s coffee.

“I’m sorry…we tried the best we could.” Steve nodded to the coffee.

“Was it that obvious?”

“That you didn’t quite like it? Yeah…you also…looked sad.” Tony motioned for Steve to sit in one of the chairs.

“Ana managed to get my coffee right asking Friday just once.”

“Wait just the one time?”

“Photographic memory.”

“Ah that makes sense. And she’s been making breakfast since huh?”

“Oh yeah. I think she did it at first as a ‘thank you’ for helping find her mom and her siblings and then…she just liked taking care of us.”

“Someone had to. I bet thanks to her you actually had three square meals and were hydrated.” Steve teased.

“Hey coffee is hydration!”

“No it’s not.” Tony chuckled.

“Yeah…she and Stephen really pushed for me to take better care of myself, and once we got the rest of the kids I knew I had to do better…for their sakes as well.”

“Good. I—” Whatever Steve was about to say was cut off by a portal opening in the corner. “What the—”

“Mr. Stark?” Tony recognized the man stepping out as one of the healers the Kamar-Taj had brought in during everything chaotic.

“Yeah?”

“I’m just here to strengthen the magical shield.” He walked over, before being to twist and turn his fingers towards the green orb still floating above Ana’s bed.

“We had a scare last night.” Tony watched him.

“A scare how?” 


“Blood pressure dropped. Dangerously so.” The sorcerer stopped, blue eyes looking to the mechanic.

“I see. While this is keeping what’s left of her soul in tact, it’s not helping her physical body.”

“Meaning we could have a repeat of last night.”

“I will speak to some of the other Masters and see if we can do something more in regards to her physical body…or possibly speak with the Asgardian healers.”

“I think Lady Eir is suppose to visit sometime tomorrow..er…wait what time is it?”

“Little after 1AM.” Steve spoke up.

“…Later today then. I’ll talk to her.” The sorcerer nodded, finishing up.

“You know…” He spoke up after a moment. “I know some of the other Masters aren’t as friendly with her and Riven but…she’s probably the nicest mentor we have. She’s always there to help any of the students who’re falling behind. And I liked what she did to Mordo and the traitors.” That got a chuckle out of him. “I hope Master Strange and Master Wong can bring Riven back.” He finished, looking to Tony. “Just know you’re not alone. We’re all scrambling to find a way to help in any way we can.” Tony swallowed the lump in his throat.

“Thank you.” They watched the sorcerer leave just as he came, and for a moment there was quiet before Steve spoke up.

“What happened with ‘Mordo and the traitors’?” Tony blinked, looking back to the blonde.

“Ah, right you weren’t around for that. So you know how Stephen is the Sorcerer Supreme?” At the nod he continued. “There were some who weren’t happy with that. He hadn’t at the Kamar-Taj for long and he somehow he was the one to have the title. One of those who weren’t happy was a man named Baron Mordo. He was Stephen’s teacher, and he thought was his friend.”

“But that wasn’t the case?”

“Not quite. See Mordo didn’t like how Stephen handled a dimension/world ending situation, so he stepped away. He was even more upset when he found out that he was the next leader.” Tony sighed, remembering how upset his fiancé was when talking about it. “It hurt him…but things got better. And then Ana came along…and with that Riven.”

“Did they not like Riven? I mean I know he’s a little…rough around the edges…” Steve looked sheepish to say that. Tony snickered a bit.

“That's putting it lightly. They weren’t thrilled with him...couldn’t fathom how a human and at the time they thought ‘demon’ were soulbound. And because Stephen didn’t take care of the ‘threat’ like they wanted well…more weren’t happy with him.”

“I imagine not.” Steve chuckled.

“To make matters worse Riven came in well…’Tony Stark’ style.” He pulled out his phone and had Friday pull up the feed from the living room from that day. Steve looked and laughed, seeing the two in their matching grey suits.

“If Stephen is the Sorcerer Supreme why didn’t they just listen to him when it came to Riven? I’m sure he told them he was fine.”

“Because they didn’t trust him. The bastards undermined him in everything.” Tony grumbled, remembering the stress Stephen was in during that time. “Anyway...we had an agreement. They left Riven and us alone, and he would give them knowledge. He also wanted Ana to be trained.”

“So Ana wasn’t a sorcerer at the time?”

“No, she was just a scared kid who almost lost everything…” Tony looked to the girl in the bed, before closing his eyes. “So Riven wanted her trained. And for a while it looked like things were good.”

“But…”

“But some of the ‘Masters’ didn’t agree with Riven being there still. And so they contacted Mordo.”

“Same Mordo who left them?”

“Same one.”

“Well that’s just grand.” Steve groaned, rubbing his face. “Then what?”

“They decided to use Stephen as bait to get Riven alone. We had just had our first date…and he didn’t come back to the sanctum afterwards.”

“They kidnapped him?!”

“Drugged him, then kidnapped yeah. We got him back but…Stephen’s hands were hurt, which enraged Riven. It didn’t help that they went against the agreement.”

“By hurting Stephen?”

“Stephen was precious to Riven, even then." Tony chuckled. “You should’ve seen him…I thought he was going to tear Kamar-Taj apart.” He shook his head.

“He didn’t…kill them did he?” Steve looked worried, glancing to Ana.

“No…but he might as well have.” He sighed. “He took their knowledge of the mystic arts from them. All they knew, everything trained and studied. Gone. They can never get it back too.” Steve paled, but kept silent. “After that things changed. The others at the Kamar-Taj actually listened to Stephen and Ana and Riven were able to learn without any issues.”

“From what you just told me…” Steve sighed. “…I feel like we got off lucky when we first came back.”

“Yeah that was them playing real nice.” Tony snorted. “Hell before she was even my kid Ana was threatening you.” Tony then had Friday pull up the feed from one of their first late night chats. Steve laughed, nodding.

“I deserved it.” Tony hummed, agreeing with him. He looked and saw that time had flown since Steve first came with coffee.

“Hey Steve?”

“Yeah?”


“Thanks.” Steve blinked, before smiling at him, knowing exactly what he was thanking him for.

“Of cour—” He was cut off by a large commotion in the hallway. “What the?!” Both he and Tony jumped up and went to the door. They found Romanoff pinning a doctor with his arm behind his back, a phone laying face down on the ground near them.

“Romanoff?”

“Nat?!” Romanoff looked to them, before nodding to the phone.

“Found him standing outside the door.” The doctor, someone Tony hadn’t seen before struggled further.

“I’m one of Miss Stark’s doctors of course I was—” He cried out in pain as Romanoff twisted his arm further.

"No, you weren't. You were using that!" She growled. Tony went to the phone, picking it up and flipping it over for him to see.

It was recording.

Tony felt his stomach twist painfully as he stopped it, and went to check the video. It showed Steve and Tony talking, before turning to Ana’s body laying in the bed. The way it was angled was off, and Tony walked calmly over to the doctor and Romanoff. She pulled him off the wall but still held tight. Tony pulled at his lab coat and saw that the front pocked had a hole, the perfect size of his camera. It looked like he had a few other things pushed in there to stop the phone from moving around.

“What were you planning on doing with this, hm?” He asked, still very calm. He checked the photos and found several pictures of Ana up close while, while a few others looked to be snaps of her medical records when she had been admitted.

“N-Nothing I-I-I’m sorry Mr—” Romanoff twisted something to stop the man from babbling. Tony hummed noncommittally, before going through his tabs. His email was wide open, with several correspondences to a couple different news outlets.

“I see.” He looked up to the doctor’s panicked face. “So not only were you filming my daughter, who is on life support by the way…” The doctor’s Adam’s apple bobbed as he swallowed painfully. “…You were sharing her medical records and up close photos to news outlets? Seriously?” He snorted. “Tell me…was it worth it?” The man shook his head, but didn’t say anything. “Friday, please alert Pepper of the security breach, along with Rhodey. Nat.” Natasha blinked, looking to him surprised. They hadn’t spoken much since everything went down with Wanda. “Can you hold him until the authorities arrive?”

“A-authorities?! Surely you—”

“You not only leaked personal information you did so to a minor. In the Avengers Compound no less. I will be pressing charges, and then…” Tony looked to him, eyeing him up and down like he was nothing. “I’m going to let Miss Potts get a hold of you. Pretty sure you’re looking at several lawsuits as well, that’s not including what the Accords council will do to you.” As he spoke the doctor paled and stopped struggling, looking like he was going into shock. “Steve can you help Nat, just in case?”

“Of course Tony. Come on.” Steve grabbed one shoulder while Natasha shifted and grabbed the other. “Friday let me know when he’s gone.”

“Of course boss. I’ve set a message for Miss Potts for when she wakes up. I’ve also started to monitor any of the outlets he sent the information to.”

“Good girl. Try to make sure nothing comes out.”

“Always boss.” Tony went and sat again in the room, taking Ana’s hand. He felt himself start to doze, and he leaned down to rest his head next to her hand. He figured he could rest until the next set of doctors came in. The next time he woke up it was to something tickling his fingers. Tony blinked the sleep away, eyes widening when he took in what was causing his fingers to twitch. A light blue butterfly was on his fingertips. When he sat up more he saw a few more around Ana’s body.

It was Stephen's sign.

“Friday—”

“Boss—” Tony was quickly interrupted. “They’re back!”

“What?”

“They just arrived in front of the compound and are heading your way.”

“And everyone’s fine? Safe?”

“Yes, everyone is accounted for…and there’s someone new.” New? Who would they have brought—

“Tony!” Steve rushed in along with a few doctors. “Stephen's back, and they want the breathing tube and wires out of the way.” They began to work to move the monitors and wires off Ana’s body.

“But that’s keeping her alive!”

“I think he’s got a plan.”

“You think!?”

“I didn’t really ask!” Tony opened his mouth to snap at him but stopped when Stephen entered, holding a pale body next to him. He breath caught in his throat as he stared at the boy leaning against his fiancé. He was pale, paler than Ana was at the moment, with hair white and shaggy. It reminded him of when Ana when they first met. His face was close to Ana’s, but more masculine, sharper. His eyes were black, the same black he met back at that run down church.

“Riven…” Riven’s eyes searched his for a moment, before he looked to Ana. He reached out, and Tony noticed his nails were still sharp, not as long as his normal claws but still there. Stephen helped him to the bed where he crawled on top of Ana, straddling her. “What—”

“Everybody else out!” Stephen snapped, glaring at the awestruck doctors. Steve helped push them out, before closing the door behind him. It just left Stephen, Tony and Riven. Tony looked back to the bed, watching as Riven cupped Ana’s face in his claws, leaning down and resting his forehead to hers. He heard him muttering softly, still that deep growly voice.

“Stephen…” At hearing his name Stephen looked to Tony, before rushing to him and wrapping him up tightly. “What happened?”

“We did it. We got him back.” Stephen muttered into the side of his neck. Tony closed his eyes, swallowing back the tears. “He’s gonna try to bind to Ana again.” Tony pulled back to look at Stephen first, before looking to Riven who was still muttering. His thumbs were gently stroking her cheekbones, and he could tell the Realmwalker was shaking. Riven finally opened his eyes, all three sets which made Tony pull back a bit, as he slotted his mouth to Ana’s. “Look.” Tony looked to where Stephen was nodding to, and saw that Riven’s throat was moving…as was Ana’s.

“Is he…feeding her?”

“I don’t know….” After a few tense minutes, Riven pulled back, all sets of eyes closing. At first there wasn’t any noticeable change, but then—

“Her color’s coming back…” Stephen pointed out. “And so’s his.” Tony watched as color began to sink into Ana’s body, along with Riven’s. Riven was still pale, but no longer close to being a zombie gray. His hair began to darken, now matching Ana’s.

“Is she—” Tony started to speak but was cut off as Ana’s eyes snapped open and she took a deep, almost painful sounding breath. She jerked in the bed, only stopping because Riven held her. Her eyes darted around before landing on Tony and Stephen. She relaxed, still taking deep breaths as she looked above her where Riven was hovering.

“R-Riven?” She rasped, her throat obviously sore from the breathing tube.

“Hello Beloved.”

Notes:

Reunited at last!!! Now comes the bigger question.

How's Riven gonna handle his own body?

See you all Wednesday!

Chapter 32: "Bet you thought that I'm not dead, but I'm not dead."

Notes:

*Rises from the ground* I LIIIIIIIIIIVE.

I'm so sorry it took me a while to get back. Things went from bad to worse.

Christmas Day my dad went to the hospital and had to have surgery on his ankle, because of a diabetic ulcer. Since then he's had an additional surgery, and is currently in a skilled nursing facility with a big old contraption on his leg for the next 4-6 weeks. He's ok, but it was an absolute mess of a January because of that.

My posting should still be Wednesdays, I may have a delay depending on how things are going with the week...but otherwise I am back.

Now let's get back to our wonderful family huh?

Title from - Stronger by The Score

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“You’re really here?” Ana spoke quietly, reaching up and touching Riven’s cheek.

“I’m really here.” Riven reached up and grasped the hand touching him. After a moment Ana’s eyes watered, before she began to hit him “Ouch—Hey!”

“You fucking moron!” Her voice cracked, from both her sore throat and the fact she started to cry. “Last thing I heard from you was ‘I’m sorry’ and you just—you were gone! I couldn’t feel you! Do you know how terrifying that was?! Don’t you ever do that shit again!” Riven caught her fists, before leaning down and resting his head onto her chest.

“I know, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” Ana pulled her hands out of his grip to wrap her arms around him, burying her head into his hair as she cried. Tony watched, swallowing down his own tears as the tension he held for days slowly began to fade.

“How does he have his own body?” He looked to his fiancé, who was dead on his feet next to him. Stephen wrapped an arm around his shoulders.

“Magic.”

“That’s a bullshit answer and you know it.”

“That’s the only answer I have.” Stephen chuckled, looking to him. “You look like you haven’t slept in days.”

“You’re not exactly bright eyed and busy tailed yourself.” Tony snorted, before leaning against the sorcerer. “So he has his own body? It’s permanent?”

“As far as I can tell yes. Wanda and the others stabilized him so he could exist outside of Ana.”

“But their souls are back to being bound?”

“I think so. Honestly I need to check over Ana, and then Riven. I wasn’t sure what he was planning but as soon as we arrived he demanded to be rushed to her…did anything happen while we were gone?”

“We had one hell of a scare last night…her blood pressure dropped, and honestly…” Tony curled in Stephen’s hold, clinging to him. “We almost lost her.” He felt the taller man tense, before holding him closer. After a few Ana grumbled and pushed Riven up.

“You’re squishing me.” She huffed, pushing him off her lap.

“Sorry.” Riven tried to move off but began to fall sideways, still unstable.

“Easy!” Tony pulled away and grabbed Riven’s shoulders, steadying him. “Let’s get you sitting ok?” Riven looked to him, before smiling.

“Thank you, Il Babbo.” Tony gave a weak chuckle.

“Wasn’t sure I was ever gonna hear you say that…” Riven looked away, guilt apparent on his face. “Hey…” He reached down and tilted the Realmwalker’s face back so he could look him in the eye. “Don’t feel guilty. You did what you thought was best. Just…don’t do it again, yeah?”

“Yeah…I don’t want any of us to go through that again.”

“Agreed. Now, why don’t you have Tony help you change into something more comfortable while I check over Ana, hm?” Stephen spoke up, going over to the tablet next to the bed to review Ana’s vitals from when they were away. Tony looked down and found that Riven was only covered by torn ribbons.

“Yeah let’s get you some pants. And Friday wanna alert the others? I’m sure they want to see Ana awake and Riven…here in the flesh.”

“Of course boss.”

“Go change in the bathroom, I teleported some clothes in there.” Stephen motioned to the door on the side. Tony helped Riven steady himself as he stood, before walking with him to the bathroom. Once Riven plopped onto the toilet he sighed, obviously worn.

“You don’t have a lot of energy do you?”

“Currently no. My magic is trying to settle in this new vessel, which will take time…already everything is just… a lot.”

“A lot how?” Tony began to help him step into some sleep pants, with the ribbons falling away.

“Before while being with Ana my senses were dulled…now…”

“Now you have full access it feels like too much?”

“It’ll get better, but it’ll take time.” Tony put the baggy shirt over him, before running his hand through Riven’s hair.

“You look almost identical to Ana.”

“We’ve been fused for 14 years. I would be surprised if I didn’t look just like her.”

“The makes sense…hell I think that’s the one thing that makes sense in all this.”

“I didn’t think this was possible.” Riven leaned into Tony’s touch. “Feels nice…” he murmured. Tony watched his face, looking for the other eyes that were there previously. “You’re staring.”

“Sorry. I just….I could’ve sworn I saw…” Riven pulled away, before two other sets of eyes opened. Tony jumped a bit, but stared with curiosity. “Huh. How bout that.” He reached up and gently touched underneath the bottom pair, watching as it fluttered close. “So…six eyes?” The two sets closed, and it was like they were never there to begin with.

“Six eyes. Just like before.” Tony chuckled, leaning down and kissing his forehead.

“Let’s get you back to bed with Ana. Thankfully our hospital beds are huge.”

“Thankfully. I’m going to probably be extra clingy to her for a time.”

“So no separate bedrooms yet?” Tony helped him stand before making their way back out of the bathroom.

“No…the thought makes me feel uneasy…”

“What makes you feel uneasy?” Stephen asked, finishing up with Ana. He now had her bed sitting up so she could lean back and relax while in an upright position.

“Being in a separate bedroom.”

“Let’s not have that please…” Ana said, voice getting a bit better, but still raspy. She reached out towards the Realmwalker, grabbing his arm when he was close enough to lay back in the bed with her.

“I asked Friday to alert Wong about getting her some tea for her throat.”

“Speaking of, where are Wong and the others?”

“Currently they’re in the same conference room we had been using to plan our attack on Mephisto. Robbie had to leave as soon as he dropped us off.”

“That quickly?”

“He had to get back home.”

“He have a hot date or something?”

“I think he had someone to get back to but don't think it was a partner.” Tony made a mental note to find out more about the man, so he could give him something as thanks. Once Riven was settled, Tony went to Ana’s side and pulled her into a hug.

“You scared us there for a bit Tesoro.”

“Blame Riven.” She grumbled, but wrapped her arms around his neck to bury herself into his chest. “I was afraid I’d never see any of you again…”

“Pretty sure we thought the same thing.” Tony pulled back so that Stephen could hold her next. The door opened as he pulled back, Peter and Michael coming in with Michael holding Mia.

“Friday said Ana woke—wha—” Peter stopped short at seeing Riven, with Michael setting Mia down.

“Who’s tha—” Michael’s question got cut off by Mia bolting towards the bed.

“RIVEN!” Riven caught the little girl easily as she launched herself at him, holding her close.

“My little one….”

“That’s Riven?!” Peter looked to Ana, then Stephen.

“What’s going on?” Michael stepped closer. “How—”

“Magic.” Both Tony and Stephen responded, giving each other a knowing look.

“Ana…” Peter rushed to his sister’s side, checking her over before hugging her. Michael went to Riven, watching him warily.

“You’re Riven?” Riven looked up to him, giving a small nod. “And you’re…you’re here…” He reached out and touched the side of Riven’s face. “Holy shit.”

“Language.” Came the muffled response from Mia as she had her fact buried in Riven’s neck. Michael laughed before hugging Riven, causing Mia to let out a squeak as she was squished between them.

“That’s amazing…so you guys are both ok? You’re not gonna, fade away or anything?” Peter looked between the Riven and Ana.

“No, we’re not going to fade away. This is permanent.” Peter smiled, tearing up a bit before pulling Riven towards him and Ana. Tony smiled as he watched his kids cling to Ana and Riven, ecstatic that they were ok. Stephen motioned for Tony to come closer, holding up the tablet the doctors were using.

“What’s wrong?” Tony leaned into Stephen, still needing that contact to know he was there.

“Ana’s vitals from when we were gone. It’s probably best she stays in the hospital wing for a few days while her body readjusts from the trauma she suffered.”

“But she’ll be ok?”

“She’ll be ok. I think they both will be.” Stephen hugged Tony to his side, kissing the side of his head.

“I wouldn’t do that. I’m probably gross.” Tony tried to move away but Stephen held him firmly in place.

“I smell like dead demons and sulfur. You not bathing for a few days is not gonna stop me from kissing you.”

“Oh well when you put it that way…” Tony relished in the kiss he shared with his fiancé, more of the tension he had felt since all of this happened melting away.

“Gross.” They pulled away to see Wong in the doorway, holding a cup of what Tony could assume was hot tea. “And in front of the children?”

“Pretty sure they weren’t paying attention.” Stephen huffed, looking to the bed. They had all pulled apart, with Peter sitting at Ana’s side while Michael was on Riven’s. Mia was not letting go of the newly formed Realmwalker, so she was sitting on his lap. “See? Not paying attention.”

“Only because we wanted to hold Ana and Riven.” Tony noticed Peter was holding one of Ana’s hands while Riven held the other. Michael had a hand on Riven’s leg since Riven’s other arm wrapped around Mia’s body. “Were they doing something gross Uncle Wong?” Peter asked.

“Kissing.”

“Gross.”

“That’s what I said.” Wong went to Ana’s side, handing her the cup of tea. “This will help with your throat.” Tony noticed that while Riven couldn’t hold her hand anymore, he put a hand on her leg like Michael did, keeping some sort of contact.

“I feel like cuddle piles are going to be a big thing for a while.” He mused.

“Absolutely. I think Riven will definitely need it…he’s gonna need skin-to-skin contact, since his body is brand new.” Stephen agreed.

“He told me his senses are overwhelming right now…apparently while he was in Ana everything was dulled?”

“He mentioned something about that while we were in Hell. Said he could properly scent me now.” Tony raised an eyebrow at the sorcerer.

“Scent you?” Stephen shrugged.

“I wasn’t going to question it. I was just happy he was alright.”

“What exactly happened down there?”

“That’s a long story.” Wong spoke up. “The others wanted to check on Riven now that he and Ana are stable.”

“Considering they helped create his body, that’s fine.” Stephen nodded. He pulled Tony with him to sit, pulling the smaller man onto his lap and holding him.

“Is this gonna be a thing?” Tony shifted a bit to get comfortable.

“Probably. Is that a problem?”

“Not even a little bit.” He leaned into the hold as he looked to the hospital bed. A few hours ago his daughter was lying there, barely hanging on and now not only was she awake but his son came back…and with a new body. Minutes later Wanda, Loki, Agatha and Jericho came in. Wanda and Jericho went over to Riven, wanting to check over him while Agatha stayed back, staring at Mia. “What’s up with her?” Tony asked quietly. Stephen looked over, confused.

“I don’t know…” Stephen caught Loki’s eye, and glanced to Agatha. Loki raised an eyebrow before giving a short nod, staying back with the witch to keep an eye on her.

“So anyone wanna tell us how the whole rescue mission went? I mean obviously Riven’s back, but what about Mephisto?” Tony asked while Jericho and Wanda checked Riven over.

“He can’t harm us ever again.” They then told Tony and the kids how everything happened down there, including the threat and contract.

“Wow…I didn’t realize you were that powerful in your true form.” Peter said in awe. Riven made a noise that sounded like a snort, which caused Loki’s head to snap towards him. After studying him for a moment he glared.

“Are you fucking kidding me?!” He swore.

“What?” Tony looked alarmed. He hadn’t heard Loki use that kind of language before.

“You-You little liar!” Loki accused, pointing at Riven. They watched as Riven tried to keep a straight face, before he started to laugh. Around him everyone looked lost.

“What are we missing?” Stephen asked.

“Riven lied! You lied to that bastard didn’t you?”

“What did you lie about?” Wong questioned with worry.

“I didn’t lie per se…I just exaggerated how strong I was after breaking free.” Riven shrugged. “He didn’t focus on my actual strength, he was too busy being afraid of the ‘Realmwalker’ so I played into that.”

“…You bluffed. You bluffed with some crazy demon lord and you got away with it!” Michael stared, jaw slacked.

“…I can’t believe you…” Loki said shaking his head, pausing before continuing. “I have never been more proud of you.” Riven laughed again.

“That isn’t going to be a problem with the contract you placed?” Wanda asked.

“No. It will always be in tact, even with me lying to him.”

“Good.”

“It looks like your body has completely stabilized.” Jericho spoke up. “However…your magic…seems to be weaker than when you were in Hell…even with your bluff.”

“Probably because I’m now sharing with Ana.” Riven looked to the girl next to him.

“Does that mean we’re not as strong as we were before? What about our ribbons?” Ana looked to her hand where the scar was. It hadn’t changed at all in the time since Riven was torn out.

“I’m not sure about the ribbons yet…but yes, we are weaker.” Riven sighed. “We should not try to do any magic for a few weeks just to be safe…”

“That’s not a bad idea.” Wong nodded, looking to Stephen. “And we should alert the masters of this.”

“I had planned on it…wait what about the contracts that you had before?” Stephen asked.

“Gone. So are my different spells and wards I had in place…I’m going to need help putting those back.”

“Of course.”

“Oh and Wong…I’m going to need you to monitor Wanda’s meditation when we start her elixir since I cannot.”

“You’re still going to do that?” Wanda asked, confused. It was obvious she hadn’t even considered it still happening with Riven being out of commission.

“You act like I have to do anything… It’s all ready, just need someone to monitor you.”

“Thank you…” Wanda smiled.

“No thank you, for keeping your part of the deal. And thank you, Agatha and Jericho, for stepping up when you did not need to.”

“It was no trouble, Riven.” Jericho nodded to him. Agatha on the other hand, looked annoyed.

“Wanda said you took the Darkhold. Where is it?” She demanded.

“Where it needs to be.” Riven said bluntly, evenly staring at the witch.

“It needs to be back in my hands!”

“No it does not. It corrupts, and you’re better without it.”

“How dare you!”

“This isn’t up for debate.”

“This is how you repay me? After I helped you?”

“Pretty sure you helped was because I removed that spell off of you.” Wanda crossed her arms, glaring.

“Yes, and you told me that you didn’t have the Darkhold, that Riven knew where it was!”

“And I do.”

“And that is?”

“Not here.” At the frustrated groan she gave Riven sighed, glaring. “You’re not getting the damn book. Drop it.” Agatha glared, before looking to Mia who was still in his arms. She tilted her head, which Mia copied. Tony got up from Stephen’s lap, going to stand next to Riven.

“What’s with the girl?” She asked, causing Riven to tighten his hold on Mia.

“I’m Mia. And you’re Agatha Harkness…” She blinked. “You’re really old.” Riven snorted, while Wanda had to turn to cover her smile from Agatha’s view. Agatha’s eyes narrowed, before she looked to Stephen.

“Tell me you’re training her.”

“I beg your pardon!?” Stephen stood up, glaring at Agatha. She looked to him, then to Wong.

“You can’t feel it? Seriously? I thought you were masters of the mystic arts.”

“What the hell do you mean?” Wong glared at her, while Riven let out a low growl.

“Feel what?” Tony growled as he stood closer to Riven and Mia.

“Your little girl here has magic.”

Notes:

Thank you all again for sticking with this story after I was gone for so long, I hope you all enjoyed it and I'll see you all next Wednesday!

Chapter 33: "I don't need the world to see that I've been the best I can be, But I don't think I could stand to be where you don't see me"

Notes:

Aaaah I'm sorry I'm a little late! I'm thinking Wed/Thurs updates since things are still chaotic. That being said, thank you all for the kudos comments and general love! I'm so happy you all were excited to see this story update. It really makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Please enjoy!

Title from - Francis Forever by Mitski

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Magic? Seriously? You don’t think—” Tony began to say before realizing that Wong, Stephen, Wanda and even Loki were all staring at Mia. Riven was watching her as well, which caused the little girl to look up at him, blinking. “Guys? Wanna share with the class?”

“She does have some magic…how could we not have seen this before?” Wong asked, looking to Stephen.

“I should’ve been able to feel that from before…” Stephen stood, going to Riven’s side. He reached out and touched Mia’s shoulder, closing his eyes. “She does have magic. But how did we miss this?”

“Her necklace.” Riven tugged the cord around her neck. “I helped put the wards and spells on it…”

“And now they have been broken…meaning we can actually sense it.” Wong finished, looking at Mia thoughtfully.

“Correct.” Riven turned to Tony and Stephen. “If it wasn’t for that we would have never known.”

“So you don't have any plan on training her?” Agatha raised an eyebrow. Riven narrowed his eyes at her.

“It’s up to her in regards to if she wants to learn or not.”

“If she does we can teach her at the Kamar-Taj.” Stephen said, thinking. “Although she’s still a little younger than I’d like to go…”

“Please, we have students who’re close to her age.”

“She’s about to turn 6.” Stephen rolled his eyes at his friend.

“I don’t think your training would help.” Jericho spoke up. “Her magic feels…different than yours.”

“I agree.” Loki hummed. “It’s closer to these two.” He nodded to Agatha and Wanda.

“Which means she needs guidance.” At Agatha’s statement all the magic users began talking at once, arguing with each other in regards of what to do with Mia. While they argued, she had been watching everyone talk, turning her head to each person when they spoke up. Finally she looked to Tony, tilting her head. Tony watched the chaos ensue, before looking to Mia. He had hoped she would be able to choose her own path, and continue down the road of being a marine biologist like she’d always said. After a moment, Mia smiled at her father.

“I don’t wanna learn magic.” All heads turned to her as she raised her voice to be heard. “I wanna be a marine biologist.” She sounded out the word, smiling proudly at being able to say it without fumbling.

“…You want to be a marine biologist?” Agatha questioned, unimpressed.

“Yup! So I don’t wanna learn magic.” She shrugged. “Maybe later. Like later later. But not right now.” Riven chuckled, hugging the little girl closer. Tony smiled, glad she was standing up for herself in regards to her wants.

“Well that settles that.” Agatha huffed, looking to Stephen and Tony.

“Strange…you know I could hel—”

“Nope. She said no which means this conversation is over. Loki, Wanda, do you want to help walk Mrs. Harkness out?” Tony didn’t want to hear another word since Mia had given her opinion. Loki gave Agatha a wild grin, while Wanda crossed her arms, glaring at the woman.

“Gladly. Come along.” Loki motioned for her to lead the way out of the room. Agatha looked like she wanted to say more, but relented and walked out, Wanda and Loki following.

“Well that’s one problem solved.” Wong sighed. “I need to contact the other Masters about all of this.”

“And I should go ahead and take my leave.” Jericho spoke up. He nodded to the others as he left with Wong.

“You know they’re gonna want to talk to you again.” Stephen looked to Riven.

“I know. I’m no longer ‘restricted’ so to say.”

“But you’re not as strong as you were before.” Tony pointed out.

“No, but I can get stronger again. May take a bit of time but…we’ll get there.” He looked to Ana, who leaned against him.

“Yeah we will.” She yawned.

“Let’s go ahead and leave you guys to get some rest. How about we order dinner and bring it down?” Tony suggested, helping Mia down from the bed. “Wait…do you eat now Riven?” Riven blinked a bit, thinking.

“I think so. I mean this body will need sustenance.”

“Right, double order of what Ana normally gets?” At the nod Tony smiled. “Friday go ahead and put that in for dinner time. I’m thinking Italian.”

“Got it boss. And Miss Potts is on her way to deal with our ‘doctor problem’.”

“Doctor problem? What doctor problem?” Stephen turned to Tony.

“Ah shit…forgot about that.”

“Language!”

“I’ll put money in the jar when we get upstairs.” Tony grumbled halfheartedly. “But no we had a doctor who was recording Ana while she was in a coma. He was selling her medical information along with pictures to the press.”

“You have got to be shi—kidding me.” Stephen started to seethe before catching himself. Mia just gave him a knowing smile. “Where is he?”

“Natasha caught him. She and Steve are holding him while we wait for the authorities. Which reminds me, Fri did anything get out?”

“We were able to stop any photos and video, and any that has popped up has been deleted. But the press has been alerted that Ana is in the hospital.” Tony groaned.

“Great. Why do I feel like this means more press conferences?”

“Or at the very least an interview.”

“Not helping Fri.”

“Sorry boss.” The AI did not sound the less bit sorry.

“Alright, let’s leave these two to rest.” Ana waved as they both laid back, eyes already drooping. Riven pulled her closer and sighed contently, already relaxing. “Let’s get upstairs for a bit, I need to shower.”

“You and me both.” Stephen chuckled.

“Friday let me know once Pep’s done reading him the riot act.”

“Of course boss.” While the kids went to grab their phones and relax, Tony lead Stephen to the bedroom. When they got to the bathroom, he prepped the shower before turning and helping Stephen strip out of his robes.

“I swear you and these damn belts.” He grumbled, only to give Stephen a look when they all suddenly unbuckled on their own. “I was getting to it!”

“I know love.” Stephen chuckled, watching as with each bit that fell off, Tony began to kiss the skin that was revealed, hands starting to shake. “Sweetheart, you don’t have to—” He paused when he saw tears in his fiancé’s eyes. “Tony what’s wrong?!” Stephen cupped his face and tilted it so he could focus on him.

“I thought I was going to lose you….that I already lost Ana and Riven, and that you weren’t going to make it I—I was so scared Stephen.” He tried to stay composed, but tears began to fall as his bottom lip quivered. “I was so scared I was going to lose you before I even got to spend the rest of my life with you.”

“Oh honey…” Stephen pulled him close, holding him as the inventor broke down in his arms. “I’m here, Ana and Riven are here…we’re ok…” He soothed, brushing shaky fingers through oily hair. “We’re not going anywhere…I’m not going anywhere…” It took a few for Tony to calm down, and when he did he pulled back, before huffing a laugh.

“Good thing these are already dirty…” He had cried into his robes, leaving a bit of a mess.

“I wouldn’t have cared even if they’re clean.” Stephen chuckled, before leaning down and kissing him gently. “Let’s get cleaned up” They finished undressing before going to soak in the spray of warm water. Tony began to wash Stephen, being gentle with the bruises he had littered on him.

“What the hell did this?” He questioned, touching a large one on his side.

“A demon? I don’t know there were so many…”

“Oh yeah?”

“Let’s just say they made the Chitauri army look small.”

“Christ. You’re lucky to be only banged up.”

“Can’t argue with that.” Stephen hummed as Tony continued to wash him. As he got down lower, Tony huffed out a laugh.

“I’d off to do more but…I think we’re both dead on our feet.” Stephen chuckled at Tony’s suggestion.

“Pretty sure I’d fall asleep in the middle of it.”

“And we don’t want that…you’d hurt my feelings!” Once Tony was done Stephen then took his turn to wash the inventor, taking extra care not to get any water in his eyes. By the time they were done and drying off, Friday alerted them that Pepper was done with the doctor who had filmed Ana.

“Also dinner has arrived, would you like me to have it sent to Ana and Riven’s room?”

“Are they awake?” Stephen asked as he dried Tony’s hair.

“They are, albeit tired and hungry.”

“Then let’s go ahead and head down there. Tell Pep to meet us there.” When they got to the living room they found Peter and Michale on their phones, while Mia had a few stuffed animals, including Bruce. “Whatcha got there munchkin?”

“Plushies for Riven. He’s never really held plushies before.” Peter blinked, looking to her.

“Yeah he has…” Mia shook her head.

“Not in his new body. He’s only felt them while in Ana’s body!” Tony paused, thinking back to what Riven said in regard to his senses.

“I think she has a point. Riven said it was all brand new to him.” Mia nodded happily, bouncing a bit.

“Exactly! Let’s go!”

“Once they’re home home, Ned and Mj want to visit.” Peter said as they took the elevator down.

“Same with Maggie and Robin. Everyone’s been worried.” Tony expected his kids friends to know what was going on to an extent, so it was no surprise everyone wanted to check on them.

“I think they’ll like that. We’ll probably have Thor and Bruce come visit too.”

“Everyone’e gonna want to see that they’re ok.” Michael nodded. When they arrived to Ana and Riven’s hospital room, Pepper and Happy were in the hall, Pepper finishing up what sounded like an angry phone call.

“What’s going on Hap?” Tony watched as Pepper began to pace, livid.

“She’s trying to get the articles taken down, but they’re pushing back…they say people have the right to know what’s going on with Ana.” Tony growled. “Exactly. We haven’t been in yet…is what Friday said true? That Ana and Riven are in separate bodies?”

“Yeah. He looks exactly like Ana which is a little jarring but…they’re ok.”

“Can we see them?” Pepper asked as she walked over, done with her conversation.

“I think they’d be up for that. Who was it that you were yelling at?”

“Daily Bugle. They’re the only ones who’re hemming and hawing about dropping the story.” She grumbled. “We will need to put a statement out, possibly a conference or interview.”

“Can’t we just buy the bugle and fire everyone?” Tony suggested.

“Tony no.”

“Tony maybe.” He looked down the hall to see a staff member heading towards them with boxes and bags. “Looks like dinner’s here. Let’s head in.” He took the assortment of containers from the gentleman before heading in with the others. Ana and Riven were indeed awake, still looking tired but not as exhausted as they were before.

“Oh, Ana…Riven…” Pepper teared up a bit before going over and hugging Ana, then hugging Riven. Riven looked slightly alarmed at first, before sinking into the feeling of being hugged.

“We’re ok…”

“Just a bit tired.” Ana smiled up at her aunt. “Promise.” Pepper sniffed, giving a weak smile to her before looking over Riven more closely.

“So this is permanent?”

“Yes.” Pepper nodded, thinking.

“I think an interview is going to happen Tony.” She looked over to her former boss as he began to get everyone set up with their food.

“What? Why?”

“Because you’re going to have to explain how there’s now a 'male version of Ana' walking around.” Ana and Riven glanced at each other for a moment, before Ana spoke up.

“She’s right. I don’t want to hide Riven…I’ve honestly never wanted to in the first place but I knew it’d be hard to explain.”

“But now that we’re separate, we don’t have to hide.” Tony thought about it, looking to Stephen for his opinion.

“They have a point. If Riven and Ana don’t want to hide him, then we don’t hide him.”

“Alright. May want to get Riven put down as our kid too. Social security, last name, the works. Wait…would you have the same birthday as Ana?”

“Since that was the day I bonded to her…I’d like that.” He looked to Ana fondly, smiling.

“Agreed.” Ana took her food from Stephen who had cut it up into smaller pieces. Luckily her favorite from their normal Italian restaurant was soft, but they were still worried since she had been in a coma for several days. Riven leaned in, sniffing the food a bit.

“Interesting.”

“What?” Ana looked to her soulmate confused.

“It smells different from when I was bounded to you.”

“Good different or bad different?”

“I’m not sure…” Tony handed Riven his share, and watched as the Realmwalker began to eat, humming with delight. “Good different.” He stated, before continuing to eat.

“So now that Riven can eat…what about consuming knowledge?” Pepper asked. Riven paused, thinking about her question.

“I still need to consume knowledge. I can feel the ache of hunger that food cannot sate.”

“So grab you some books, got it.” Tony chuckled. He watched as the twins ate, still amazed that they both were going to be ok. Stephen sat next to Riven, listening as Pepper began to check off all they needed for Riven to become a ‘person’ in the eyes of society. Riven sniffed the air a bit, pausing before looking to Stephen’s food. Stephen noticed, smiling a bit.

“Do you want to try it?” He held up his pasta dish.

“What is it?” Stephen took a bit and held it out to him on his fork for the boy to eat.

“Bucatini.”

“Bucatini?” He sniffed it before taking the bite. His eyes lit up, humming in pleasure at the taste.

“Bucantini all’Amatriciana. It’s a bit spicer than what you and Ana normally eat.”

“I normally can’t deal with a lot of spice.” Ana mused, watching as Riven waited for more from Stephen. Stephen laughed and fed him another forkful, still humming at the taste.

“I like it. It’s really good.” Stephen swapped their plates, causing him to look at Stephen guiltily. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to take—” Stephen waved off his apology.

“Don’t worry about it. I’m just glad you’re enjoying it.”

“It’s different…but good different. I can’t explain it really…” “Spicy’s good.” They laughed as Riven continued to enjoy his meal.

Notes:

Riven liking spicy foods was something that my husband suggested, since he's now got his own taste buds. :) And yes he still needs knowledge, so that hasn't changed, just that he also needs to actually eat. Now they have to worry about paperwork for Riven to be an actual person, which is just all kinds of fun! (sarcasm) Either way, twins are on their way to recovery!

See you all next week!

Chapter 34: "Isn't it lovely, all alone? Heart made of glass, my mind of stone"

Notes:

AAAAAAHHH I'm sorry this is late! I had to scrap 75% of the original because I didn't like the flow....and I wanted to NOT torture our family further. Thank you all again for the love and support I really really appreciate it. Now the title for this is a cover, but it fits this so well.

 

Title from - Lovely by Lauren Basic & Seraphim

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“This feels awfully familiar. Does it feel familiar to you?” Tony asked Stephen as they looked over the filed Pepper managed to get them to get Riven’s papers started.

“Considering we did this last time with Ana Michael and Mia…yes is very familiar.” Stephen chuckled. They were upstairs in the living room, with the kids already in bed. Tony kept checking in with Friday as far as the twins, and each time was told ‘They are sound asleep’. “I’m surprised Riven can sleep….then again this is a different type of body.”

“I know. He didn’t look to happy about the idea of sleeping either.” Riven was trying to keep his eyes open by the time they decided to let them rest. If it wasn’t for Ana pulling him down to hold him he would probably be fighting off sleep still.

“Well if you think about it he’s never had to. He was always awake while Ana rested. Now, he’s got to get the same type of rest.” Tony leaned against his fiancé, nodding.

“Which is gonna be a bit of a shock to him. Not to mention everything being relatively new to him. Did you see the look he had when Mia handed him her plush shark?” She hadn’t given up Bruce, but one of her smaller softer ones went right into Riven’s arms. He kept running his claws against the minky fabric.

“Yeah. Means we’re gonna have a lot of deja vu happening around here.”

“How so?” Tony pulled back a bit to get a clear look of Stephen’s face. Stephen just smiled at him, chuckling.

“We’re going to have to have plenty of family outings so he can experience them for himself in his own body.”

“Oh I like that idea very much.” He leaned in and kissed the sorcerer. “Know what else is an idea I like very much?”

“Hm?”

“Going to bed. I feel like I could sleep for days.” Stephen laughed, helping the inventor up from the couch.

“I feel the same. Hell wasn’t exactly kind to me.”

“Do we need to get some of the oils out?”

“Not tonight…I feel like as soon as my head hits the pillow I’ll be out.” He followed that up with a big yawn. Tony ushered into the bed, and took his place resting his head on Stephen’s chest. He hummed in content as he felt Stephen run his shaky fingers through his hair, slowly fading to sleep listening to his heartbeat.

~*~*~

“Well this is new…” Tony found himself in a park, sitting in shaded grass next to a large tree. He was sitting on a picnic blanket, and he heard from the distance chatter and giggles, which as he turned he saw Mia being chased around by Peter, Michael and Stephen. He smiled, watching his family play in the park. He knew Ana was next to him...at least it looked like Ana at first glance. But then he noticed the green eyes, and how she looked much older. Her hair was longer, and she wore what looked like a white sundress. She turned and smiled kindly at him.

“Hello Mr. Stark.” Tony stared, taking in her features before it clicked on who she was.

“Rose. Hello. And please, call me Tony.” Rose chuckled, and turned to watch Stephen and the kids. As Tony watched he realized this was too detailed to be a regular dream. “How are you here?”

“I’ve always been here…just never made myself known. I’ve watched you, Tony Stark, as you protected and raised my children.”

“Wait, watched me?”

“Technically I was watching them.” She nodded to the kids as Stephen caught Mia, picking her up and spinning her around causing her to shriek and giggle. “For two years I watched as them, and you. I watched as you help Michael grow into this beautiful young man I see before me. I watched as you protected and nurtured Mia’s curiosity and innocence. And I watched as you help my daughter, and my son…Ana and Riven…heal from their trauma, and grow to be more than just a ‘sacrifice’ and ‘Realmwalker'.”

“Speaking of where are Ana and Riven?” Tony looked back to his family.

“Look down.” Tony blinked, and looked to his lap to find Riven resting his head on his thigh. Ana was right next to him, with her head on Riven’s chest as she curled closer to him. Tony reached out and brushed Riven’s bangs away from his eyes, causing him to stir a bit before pulling Ana closer. “I never imagined seeing them separate, yet here they are. And they’re safe.”

“That’s more thanks to Stephen and his merry band of wizards.” Tony looked back to Rose, who laughed.

“That may be, but you were the first to accept them. Both of them.” Tony smiled fondly, remembering the first few weeks of having Ana and Riven, along with Michael and Mia. “You were able to do something I couldn’t.” He heard her voice break, as she started to tear up. “I couldn’t protect them…I wasn’t strong enough.” Tony reached out and took Rose’s hand in his. It felt really warm, like he was actually holding her hand.

“Hey, you did the best you could in your situation.” Rose nodded, but tears still fell. “Those kids love you, and are so happy with the time they had with you.” Rose smiled at him, before they both watched their family. When she finally calmed down, she pulled her hand away clearing her throat.

“I wanted to express my thanks to you, before I go.” Tony’s head snapped back to Rose, who was standing up. She brushed some grass off her dress, turning to face him fully.

“Go? Go where?”

“I can’t stay here forever. I do have to move on.” She smiled sadly. “But I wanted to watch them one more time…”

“I’m sure they want to see you too.”

“I know.” She stood closer to Tony, before leaning down and cupping his face in her hands. “I’ll say this one final time. Thank you Anthony Edward Stark. For protecting and loving my children.” She leaned down, resting her forehead against his. “Thank you.” Tony felt warmth spread throughout his body, pulling him awake.

 

~*~*~

When Tony woke up, he made no motion to show he’d work up. Instead he listened to Stephen’s heartbeat only realizing Stephen was already awake and speaking, albeit quietly.

“”No change through the night?”

“None Doctor. Both Ana and Riven are resting peacefully. Shall I put in an order for breakfast for all of you?” Friday was just as quiet.

“Yes please. We’ll probably take breakfast down there.”

“Of course.”

“Are the others awake?”

“Peter is, he’s getting dressed now. Michael’s starting to wake up while Mia is sound asleep.”

“Let them sleep for now.” Stephen shifted, running a hand up and down Tony’s arm. “I know you’re awake.” Tony grumbled, before cracking an eye open and looking up to his fiancé.

“Well good morning to you too.” Stephen huffed a laugh, before leaning down and kissing him. “That’s better. How’d you sleep?”

“Well actually. Had the weirdest dream.” Tony got up, stretching.

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah. We were in a park…and you were playing with the kids, and I was sitting on the side. And there was—” Tony stopped, turning to stare at Stephen as he spoke.

“Rose.” Stephen’s head snapped up to him.

“Yeah. How did you—”

“Because I had the same dream. You were playing with the kids and I was on a picnic blanket. Riven was resting his head on my lap—”

“With Ana curled against him. And she said she’d been watching—”

“This entire time.” They said at the same instant before staring at each other, both trying to figure out what that meant.

“Ok this, has to be in the top 5 weirdest things in my life.” Tony finally spoke up.

“What are the other 4?”

“Can’t really name them off the top of my head at the moment. I’m in need for some caffeine.” Tony yawned. Stephen laughed, pulling Tony close to kiss him.

“Let’s get you caffeinated and go visit our twins.”

——

“Morning Trouble One and Trouble Two!” Tony said as he entered Riven and Ana’s room. Both were awake, with Ana looking much better. Riven on the other hand still looked exhausted. “What happened, did you not sleep ok?” Tony asked as soon as he saw the bags under his eyes.

“I slept fine…I think. I’ve never had to sleep before. I still feel sluggish and like I could go back to sleep at any moment.” Stephen went over and began to check him over.

“What about you Tesoro?” Ana watched Stephen and Riven, before looking up to her father.

“I actually slept really good. It’s weird, because I don’t feel Riven but I know he’s still here, you know? But otherwise I was fine.”

“We may need to speak with Lady Eir, or some of the healers from the Kamar-Taj.” Stephen noted. “Riven’s vitals are fine, so I’m wondering if it's something else.”

“That’s a possibility.” Riven hummed, leaning back in the bed.

“Let’s get you guys food while we make some calls yeah?” Tony smiled.

——

By that afternoon Lady Eir had arrived, with Thor and Bruce in tow.

“By the Norns…there’s two of you.” Was the first thing out of Thor’s mouth.

“Hello Uncle Thor.” Riven chuckled. His color was better after he ate and dozed on and off all morning. Lady Eir stepped closer, reaching out and placing a hand on Riven’s shoulder. “Hello Lady Eir.”

“Hello Riven. This form...is quite weak…” She hummed, eyes scanning over his form.

“That’s what’s concerning us. Ana’s complexion is getting better but his…” Stephen watched the goddess as she continued to exam him.

“He’s going to be weak for a while. This is a brand new body, with brand new magic and energy. There are elixir's that can help…” She paused thinking, “I’ll have to get assistance from Prince Loki and you, Doctor Strange.”

“Anything we can do to help.”

“I’ll speak with the prince as far as materials that are not of this realm, while I’m sure you and Master Wong can get others. As long as he takes the elixir and gets plenty of rest there should have a much quicker recovery.”

“How quick?”

“The difference between weeks vs months…even years.” Riven’s eyes widened. “Your body is very new Riven…it’s as if you’ve been newly born.” Ana took Riven’s hand.

“…Then I’ll be in your care.”

——

“Tell me you have some good news Pep.” Tony walked into his office a few days later where Pepper was waiting. Riven and Ana finally got the all clear to go back up to the living quarters. While Ana was able to get right back in the groove of things Riven was having issues. He kept having to rest, which made him grumpy…granted as long as he had a cuddle buddy it wasn’t so bad. Right now he was curled up in the middle of a cuddle pile, sans himself and Ana, who was making dinner.

“Good news Tony.” Pepper chuckled. “The Daily Bugle removed the article in regards to Ana being in a coma. The editor-in-chief who approved of the article no longer works for the company.”

“That is good news!”

“Now some bad news.” She held out the tablet she held for him to review. He looked and saw that the new ‘editor-in-chief’ was now J. Jonah Jameson. Tony paused, thinking.

“Jameson. Why does that sound familiar?”

“He owns the Bugle.”

“Ah. Wait isn’t the head reporter for their channel? The one where he focuses on heroes and all the things they've done wrong?”

“The very same.”

“Wow. Multitalented. We sure we can’t buy it off him?”

“I doubt he would sell.” Pepper chuckled.

“Shame.” Tony sighed. “Well, that’s one thing out of the way. Now. Is the press statement ready in regards to Ana?”

“Of course.” With a few taps the tablet showed the what was going to go out to the press. It was a simple statement explaining due to a magical attack Ana was in a coma for almost a week, that she was awake and in great condition. “What are we going to do about explaining Riven?” Tony chuckled.

“We have an idea.”

“Oh?” When Tony explained the plan, Pepper groaned. “Tony no.”

“Tony yes.”

Notes:

I wonder what they plan :D Also my husband pointed out in the comics JJ owns the Bugle, which worked out perfectly for this haha.

Thank you all again and I will see you next week!

Chapter 35: "You gotta see the artistry In tearing' the place apart with me, baby"

Notes:

Heeeeey I managed to get this out on Wednesday! Thank you all so much for the comments and the love, really really appreciate it. I know people were wondering about the plan, don't worry we get into that, and why it's such a big deal as to why Tony had to have a plan. Also update on Ana and Riven's look, hopefully the description is good enough. (Trying to explain it out loud vs typing always messed me up)

Enjoy!

Title - Wrecking Ball by Mother Mother

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Everyone ready? We need to leave soon!” Tony called from the living room where he was putting on his suit jacket. A week later and it was finally Peter’s graduation day. Happy had already taken not only him but Ned and his grandmother to the school where they’d meet MJ and her family. Pepper went along to make sure their seats were saved, seeing as just about everyone was coming to see the 17 year old walk. Mia was the first to come out of the hall, dressed up in one of her favorite blue dress with yellow ribbons in her hair to match Peter’s school colors.

“Daddy how do I look?” She gave Tony a little twirl.

“Absolutely beautiful Princess! Where’s your brothers and sister?”

“I’m here!” Michael came out wearing dark blue slacks, still struggling with his blue tie. “How do you do this thing?” He grumbled. Before he could ask Tony to help the tie jerked out of his hands and tied itself perfectly.

“Well I was going to show you, but your Pops decided to do it for you.” Tony chuckled. Stephen was right behind Michael, giving the boy a knowing smile as he fixed his own collar.

“Let’s be honest Aunt Pepper’s the one who use to do your Dad’s ties.”

“Hey!”

“Am I wrong?”

“…No…” He took the kiss Stephen gave him, before helping Michael smooth his black dress shirt a bit more. “The twins?”

“Coming.”

“Think Riven’ll be ok?” Right after they were released from the hospital wing Wong, Lady Eir and Loki helped create a nasty looking green drink Riven had to consume twice a day. Said drink was helping him gain his strength and magic back, but he still got tired easily.

“I think so. If he needs to he’ll rest for a bit before dinner.” Since both Peter and Michael graduated this weekend they were doing out for dinner with Ned, Ned’s Loka, MJ and MJ’s parents tonight. Tomorrow after Michael’s graduation they were planning on a get together for everyone.

In the back of the compound Tony had built a nice in ground pool and patio for such events. They even had a smaller pool for Mia and any of her friends for when they come over. It was set up that they were going to grill some food, have some music and just relax after the last few weeks. Stephen hummed in agreement, before going over to Mia and making sure the ribbons holding her hair up were secure. Mia had a tendency to bounce around when excited after all.

“Sorry, had a bit of an issue with the shirts!” Ana said coming into the living room, fixing her hair a bit. They had gotten the kids new haircuts just before today, and Ana decided to try something new. Her hair was now cut into an asymmetrical pixie with an undercut, having it styled to the right.

“What issue with the shirts?” Tony went over to check her over. She was wearing a white shirt with a blue tie and blue slacks.

“We got our shirts mixed up.” Riven said as he fiddled with one of the cuffs on his shirt. He was wearing a black dress shirt, but both tie and slacks matched Ana. His hair had been cut as well, matching Ana’s except for his being styled to the left. If you stood them side by side they looked like mirror image of each other. Tony knew they did it on purpose.

“How’d you do that?”

“I thought I was going to wear the black, but noticed the shoulders didn’t fit right.”

“And the white shirt was a little snug for me.”

“Are we going to have to label your guys clothes?” Stephen questioned as he ushered them to the elevator.

“No.”

“Maybe.” Ana and Riven glanced at each other, before sharing identical grins. That was another thing they found as Riven healed. Ana and Riven still had a mental connection, meaning there were plenty of glances, grins or even frowns as they talked to each other mentally.

“Alright let’s get this show on the road! Happy is already waiting for us.”

“Why aren’t we portaling there again?” Michael questioned.

“Because for Dad’s plan to work, they need to see all of us showing up.” Ana said, reaching out and taking Riven’s hand.

“Speaking of how’d Pepper take your idea?” Stephen asked as they got settled in the limo.

“After her initial shock she thought it was a rather big power play. Hell she’s already got our interview set up, albeit they’re not allowed to say anything until we show up online.”

“Good.”

“You know the Masters at Kamar-Taj will want a meeting soon.”

“Wong and I have expressed under no circumstances will you be seen at the Kamar-Taj until you are stronger.” Stephen growled. “I will not have a repeat of the first time you appeared, especially in your weakened state.” Riven reached over and took Stephen’s hand gently.

“I know. But they’ll still be pains in the asses.”

“That they will be.” Stephen chuckled. He watched as Riven carefully ran a claw up and down the scars on his hand. “But if everything goes right, there shouldn’t be an issue.”

“Everything will be fine.” Tony spoke up. “This will work, trust me.” They finally arrived at Midtown, where Happy let them out in front of the building. There were whispers and soft murmuring as Tony stepped out, followed by Stephen. Michael held Mia’s hand as they got out and Ana stepped out, causing a pause in the chatter before it ramped up. Tony could hear many talking about how Ana had just recovered from being in a coma, knowing they saw the press release.

It grew unusually quiet when Riven stepped out, linking his arm with Ana. Tony glanced around and saw that all eyes were on the twins. There was a pause before cell phones came out, trying to be discreet but failing miserably as they took what he could only assume as photos and video. He just grinned as he pulled out his smart glasses and put them on.

“Where’s Aunt Pepper?” Mia asked, looking around.

“She should be in the auditorium already. Let’s get going.” Ana said, following Tony and Stephen. Even in the halls there were pauses in conversations before they picked back up, albeit quietly as if to not be heard by the Stark-Strange children. When they entered the auditorium Tony saw Pepper with Rhodey, Wong and Vision in his human disguise. All were dressed nicely, with Rhodey wearing his dress blues and even Wong wearing a different set of robes on that were much nicer than his normal attire.

“Is that Wong all dressed up?” Tony asked, surprised.

“It is. He’s wearing ceremonial robes.”

“Do you have a set?” Tony grinned at the sorcerer.

“Mine look a little different. Sorcerer supreme and all that.” Stephen winked at his fiancé as they made their way over. Pepper smiled brightly at seeing them, waving them closer.

“Mr. Stark.” She smiled knowingly.

“Miss Potts. Anyone else show yet?” Tony looked around as they made their way up to their seats. MJ’s parents were a few rows back along with Ned’s Lola, leaving plenty of room for the rest of their family to come in.

“Not yet. By the way you’re already trending.” She said quietly as she motioned to her phone.

“Perfect. Any news from the council?” Tony asked Friday through his glasses.

“They’re currently blowing up both yours and the Colonel’s lines. I’ve let them know both of you are out of office until Monday and sent them to voicemail.”

“Good girl.” As they got seated Tony noticed Loki, James, Thor and Bruce entering the auditorium, causing more chatter and commotion. While James and Bruce dressed in suits, Loki and Thor were wearing what Tony could only describe as ‘Asgaridan Royalty’.

“Why are Loki and Thor dressed like that?” Pepper leaned over to Tony and asked.

“Because we told them to dress their best for today.” It was all part of the plan, mainly to draw more attention to themselves.

“Pretty sure that’s as nice as you can get. I'm surprised Uncle Bruce has a nice suit like that.”

“Loki took him and James shopping. Actually I’m pretty sure that was just an excuse for Loki to go shopping for James, and Bruce got dragged along.”

“Probably for the best. Can you imagine Uncle Thor trying to find outfits for Uncle Bruce?”

“There’s a reason why your Uncle Loki is the more fashionable of the two.” Michael snickered at Tony’s bluntness, waving as the four men got closer.

“Anthony.” Loki greeted. “James and Bruce were just telling us the importance of this coronation is for Peter.”

“Not a coronation, graduation Doll.” James chuckled.

“Graduation.” Loki corrected. “He told us when Peter walks across the stage we must cheer loudly.”

“Yup. We’re also gonna cheer when Ned and MJ’s names are called.”

“Ah yes, Peter’s friends!” Thor boomed.

“Easy Love, you’re indoors.” Bruce patted his arm, chuckling.

“Ah, apologies.” Thor rubbed the back of his neck embarrassed.

“It’s fine. That’s why we have everyone here.” Tony grinned. “He can be as loud as he likes.”

“I’m not sure I follow…” Bruce raised an eyebrow.

“Notice everyone paying attention to us?” Tony leaned back in his seat. Bruce glanced around, seeing that all eyes were on them.

“Isn’t that normal for you?”

“Well yeah, but considering the news with Ana…” Bruce blinked, looking over to where Ana and Riven were. He then looked around and realized that yes, most were staring at the twins, even sneaking pictures or video of them. It clicked with Bruce what Tony was doing. “There it is.” He chuckled as realization showed on Bruce’s face.

“But why?” Tony glanced to Stephen, who gave a short nod. He knew no one would overhear their conversation.

“Simple. Officially the council knows of Riven, not that Riven has his own body. Unofficially…”

“They already know they’ve split.”

“Right. Still working out on how they found out but that's not the main problem. The main problem is that they want to blame everything that happened with the portals from hell and ‘Hydra’ on Riven. Some of them…” Tony’s eyes narrowed. “…Want to punish Riven. They want to use that as an excuse to imprison him before trying to find out what makes him tick.” Tony’s sneered at the thought of it. “Think about it. Suddenly he has his own body? That type of magic would be dangerous in the wrong hands, let alone if they find a way to scientifically replicate it. And they would not stop until they succeed...no matter what happens to him.” Bruce knew all too well what that was like.

“Seriously?! What the hell are they thinking?!” He hissed angrily. "Who would even do something like that?!"

“Some of Ross’s buddies.” Bruce flinched. “Yeah. Even in jail he’s messing things up. Apparently a couple of the new council members are friends and even agree with Ol’ Bolt of Lightning that Riven and Ana should be held accountable...not only for this but for the cult murders a few years back. They can’t punish Ana because she’s my kid, and her ‘disappearance’ would cause a ton of alarm, but Riven—”

“Could easily be taken away.” Bruce finished. “So you make him known before you go in front of the council—”

“So they can’t do anything underhanded. Of course we can’t also call them out on this because it’s all off the record. Only reason I became aware is because some of them were talking about it after meeting with Rhodey in the compound last week.”

“Meaning Friday heard it.”

“Yup. And she brought it to my attention.”

“Which means you bring Riven to everyone’s attention.”

“Meaning they can’t do anything to him legally.”

“But illegally…” Bruce worried.

“Would be a very big mistake on their part.” Stephen spoke up. He had been listening to their conversation. “The same goes for the Masters of the Kamar-Taj. While they want to make sure Riven is still no threat some of them I still don’t trust that they fully to have his best interests. So we make him well known. Wave him in front of everyone so if there was an incident everyone would know.”

“And he's ok with this?” Bruce looked to Riven who was talking with James and Vision.

“Part of it was his idea.” Tony followed Bruce’s line of sight. “He wants to enjoy this life he has now thanks to what happened. And I don’t blame him.”

“Neither do I.” People were finally filling the auditorium, which left Tony and the others to get properly situated. The principal came out, signaling the start of the ceremony. Mia found the chairs uncomfortable so she opted to sit in Stephen’s lap next to Tony while student filed in to be seated. As Principal Morita droned on and on, Mia looked up to Stephen and asked a question quietly.

“This is cause Peter’s graduating right?”

“That’s right.” Stephen smiled down at her.

“And Michael’s graduating tomorrow?” Luckily the two boys graduations lined up to be that Friday and Saturday, making things much easier for the family.

“Yes, because this fall he’s starting high school.”

“And I’m having a graduation too?” Next week was also Mia’s ‘graduation’ from kindergarten to 1st grade. Tony didn’t remember having something like that, but then again his childhood was abnormal. He couldn’t wait to see Mia in her little cap and gown that her school had for them.

“Yes, because it’s very important that you’re going to 1st grade.”

“What about Ana and Riven?” Stephen paused, looking over to Tony. Both knew that the Kamar-Taj didn’t have a graduation like the others.

“They don’t exactly have the same type of education.”

“Because they go to magic school with you?” Tony coughed to cover up his snickering.

“Temple…” Stephen chuckled. Mia thought about it for a moment, before she spoke up. “But yes that’s right.”

“That’s not really fair is it?”

“No I suppose it’s not, but that’s how the Kamar-Taj works.”

“And there’s no other schools?”

“No, sadly there isn’t.” Mia hummed, thinking again.

“Well why not?”

“Because the Kamar-Taj is all we have…” Stephen said, but seemed to be thinking as well.

“That seems silly.”

“Why does that seem silly love bug?” Tony interrupted, leaning closer to talk to his fiancé and his youngest.

“Cause there should be more options! There’s more than one magic right? Uncle Loki’s magic is different from Papas, and Miss Wanda’s even more different! So why is there only one school? Temple.” She corrected herself. “Only one temple.” Before Stephen could respond, they finally began to call students one by one up to get their certificate. Around them polite clapping and the occasional cheers for the students could be heard.

“She’s got a point Steph.” Tony chuckled. As they watched kids coming and going off stage, Tony noticed people were still watching Ana and Riven as they tried to focus on the graduating class.

“Michelle Jones-Watson.” Everyone stood up cheering as she walked on stage and took her certificate, shaking the principals hand.

“Friday—”

“Already taking both photos and videos boss.” Friday piped up.

“Good girl.” He knew while MJ’s parents were not too far from them taking their own pictures, Friday’s camera’s were far better than what they had. There were a few more students before Ned’s name was called. Once again they cheered clapped and whistled. He planned on having the pictures for Ned’s Lola by tonight.

“Peter’s soon!” Mia said excitedly. They watched as finally Peter’s name was called, and before the Principal could finish saying ‘Parker’ Tony and the others cheered and clapped louder than ever. Even from their seats they could see Peter’s face flush with embarrassment, but he still grinned up at them as he shook Morita’s hand. The rest of the ceremony seemed to fly by and before long Tony and his extended family were outside with Peter, Ned and MJ. More pictures were taken and hugs were given.

“I didn’t expect you guys to be that loud…” Peter grumbled, still beat red.

“It wasn’t that bad was it?” Michael teased, laughing a bit.

“See how you like it tomorrow.” Michael pouted, knowing they’d do this all over again tomorrow afternoon. Peter turned to Tony. “So, think it was a success Dad?” He looked around seeing that while people were congratulating their teens on graduating, Riven and Ana kept getting glances and stares.

“I think phase one was a success. Now, phase two.”

Notes:

Of course Tony's gonna throw a wrench into council members plans, that's what he does! And our baby Peter has graduated!

Thank you all again for checking out my story, I'll see you all next week!

Chapter 36: "And give me just one more chance, one more glance and I will make of you, yeah, I'm gonna make of you another believer"

Notes:

I am so so so SO sorry I'm late on this chapter everyone! I think I've mentioned before I have a chronic illness, and last week I had a bad flare up. Finally feeling well enough to post, which is good since this one is a BIG chapter.

I hope you all enjoy it!

Title - Another Believer by Rufus Wainwright

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Let me make sure I have all of this correct…your oldest daughter was part of a ritual that bound her soul to another entity…”

“Mm hm.”

“And said entity has been there for 15 years…”

“Right.”

“And due to some ‘hocus hocus’ they’re now split.”

“Stephen’s gonna hate that you put it that way but yes.” Tony snickered.

“Huh. Ok then.” Rem took a drink of their soda.

“You’re taking this rather well.” Tony hummed, looking out at the sight before him. It was after Michael and Maggie’s graduation, and their party was in full swing. Happy and Rhodey were near the grill, while Peter, MJ, and Ned swam in the pool. Maggie and Michael were on the side with their feet in the cool water, chatting away while Mia and Sarah were at the small pool that Tony had built, both splashing and giggling about. Toby was sitting in one of the lounge chairs near them with Crowley next to him while Azir was right with Rem.

Ana and Riven were sharing an extra large lounge chair across the pool, with an umbrella shielding them from the sun. Ana was reading while Riven was dozing off, having been exhausted after the graduation ceremony. Stephen was sitting next to them, talking to Pepper who had finalized everything for the next big step in their plan.

“My daughter’s best friend is the youngest Stark, while my foster daughter is dating not only another Stark but a mutant.” Rem hummed, amused. “Plus a Norse God of mischief and a 102 year old super solider is trying to adopt said foster daughter.” Speaking of, James and Loki were helping out by setting out food on the tables, with Loki easily putting a spell so the food stayed fresh and bug free. Tony smiled at seeing James comfortable being shirtless, his arm in full view. Thanks to Loki’s own personal salve the scars around the shoulder were barely visible.

“Well when you put it that way…” Tony’s attention was turned Mia and Sarah who came over, walking after being scolded by Stephen not to run.

“Daddy can we swim in the big pool now?”

“Sure, grab your floaties from Aunt Pepper.” Tony went to pull his shirt off but was stopped by Rem.

“I don’t mind doing it…” Before Tony could answer Sarah got excited.

“Does that mean you’ll play with us in the pool Rem!?” Sarah asked.

“If it’s ok with Tony.”

“I don’t see why not.” They put their soda down.

“Toby do you want to join us?” Toby looked over, thinking a minute.

“Sure.”

“Alright.” Rem pulled their tank off, leaving them with only swim trunks. Tony’s eyes skimmed the array of tattoos on their arms and chest, before landing on scars under their pecks. They noticed and gave a wry grin.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean—” Rem interrupted Tony’s stammering with a laugh.

“You’re good. I’m use to the stares.” Rem glanced to the pool and noticed Michael staring in what could almost look like awe. “I get the feeling I’m gonna be questioned about it.” They looked back to Tony. “Which is fine, and if you have questions as well in regards to the surgery, always ask. I have no problem answering any and all questions.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Rem followed Mia and Sarah over to Pepper to help get the girls ready, with Azir following. Just as Tony went to get another soda, Friday alerted him that Logan and the others had arrived. “Great, send them our way.” He told his AI.

“Logan’s here?” Stephen overheard Friday as he had come over, pulling Tony close. He kissed his neck gently, before giving it a little nip.

“Stop that!” Tony hissed, but obviously didn’t mind it.

“Keep it PG!” Pepper scolded, but smiled at the two.

“Blame the magic man! I’m the one getting assaulted here.” He playfully pushed the sorcerer. “And yes, Logan and the others are here.” Just as he spoke Logan, Robin, and a few other student Tony knew Michael was friends with walked out of the compound. “See?”

“Michael! Maggie!” Robin waved at their partners, going to set their stuff in one of the lounge chairs. Logan watched as the kids rushed towards the pool, before he headed over where Tony and the others were.

“Stark. Strange.” He nodded to them.

“Logan.” Both men said, before chuckling. Logan chucked as well, taking the offered beer Tony handed him.

“Thanks.” Logan scanned the area, eyes finally settling on Riven. “Saw you guys trending.” He nodded to the twins.

“I didn’t take you for a social media kinda guy.” Stephen raised an eyebrow.

“I’m not.” Logan snorted. “So you know you made on hell of an impression if I hear about it.”

“That’s what we want.” Tony chuckled.

“Why?” Logan gave him a puzzled look. Tony then explained the plan, and what was to come in the next few days. Logan just growled softly at hearing what some of the council were thinking. “Why am I not surprised…”

“Yeah, just didn’t think they’d have the balls to try something so quickly.”

“But you’ve got it handled?”

“Yup. As of tomorrow Riven will legally be my son, and I will introduce him to the world.”

“What channel? I want to watch.” Tony barked out a laugh at that.

“Mr. Logan!” Mia had finally realized Logan had arrived, and walked quickly over. She glanced at Stephen, remembering what he had said about no running.

“Hey Munchkin.” Logan chuckled. She giggled before going over to Tony and cupping her hands around her mouth.

“Daddy did you invite Mr. Logan yet?” Mia whispered loudly to Tony.

“Not yet sweetheart.” He whispered back.

“Can you do it soon so I know?”

“I will. Why don’t you go to Uncle Loki and get some juice? I don’t want you to get dehydrated playing.” He spoke normally, brushing some of her wet bangs away from her eyes.

“Ok! Bye Mr. Logan!” She walked over to Loki, getting a juice box and waving Sarah to come join her.

“Let me guess. Graduation?” Logan looked to Tony.

“Yup. Next week.”

“Tell me the time and place.”

“She’ll love that.” Stephen chuckled.

“How has she been doing?” They caught Logan up on what had transpired with Ana and Riven, even telling him about what Agatha said in regards to Mia’s abilities. Rhodey called that burgers and hot dogs were done, so everyone in the pool began clamoring out to eat.

“So she probably has magic and is a mutant.” Logan hummed, watching as the little girl sat with Sarah at the tables with Loki and James waiting on the food.

“Wait…you think she’s still a mutant?” Stephen questioned.

“Didn’t Chuck say she was?” Logan raised an eyebrow. Tony looked at Stephen mouthed the name ‘Chuck’, to which his fiancé raised an eyebrow. Tony shrugged, knowing he shouldn’t judge nicknames.

“That’s true…” He stepped back into the conversation. “But we thought it could be due to her magic, not that it was she was a mutant.”

“Her necklace had originally dampened her abilities, which is why we couldn’t tell she was using magic. So which is it?” Stephen said, thinking.

“She could be both.” Logan shrugged. Tony and Stephen glanced at each other, confused. “She wouldn’t be the first mutant who also wielded magic.”

“You have mutants who’re also magic users?” Stephen asked curiously.

“You know Piotr right?”

“Tall, shiny and friendly? Yeah we know him.” Tony found the Russian amusing each time they visited.

“His sister, Illyana is a mutant as well.” Logan grinned at them. “And one hell of a sorceress.”

“Tones if you guys want your food you should get over here!” Rhodey called, as he helped the other adults divvy out food.

“May have to meet her. Is she as friendly as Piotr?” They headed over to the tables.

“Oh hell no.” Logan laughed. “She’s very standoffish. But good kid.” Tony thought of visiting Xavier Institute later on to talk with this Illyana and Charles in regards to Mia.

“Dad!” Michael motioned him over where he was talking with Rem, Maggie, Loki and James.

“What’s up bambino?”

“Rem was telling us about their surgery.” Loki looked intrigued as he glanced to their chest.

“When did you get it done?” Michael asked.

“Probably…” Rem had to think. “Maybe 5 years ago?”

“Wait, 5?” Tony blinked. Rem raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah. I’m 30 Tony, how old did you think I was?”

“In your 20s at least!” Stephen laughed at Tony’s surprise. Rem just laughed along with him.

“Oh gods no. I started transitioning when I was 21, got top surgery when I was 25, have been on T ever since.”

“Wait you take T?” Michael asked excitingly.

“T?” James asked.

“Testosterone. And yes, I take a small dosage. Enough to help with my androgyny, not enough to go full masc.”

“I have to wait another year to be able to get started.”

“But you are on puberty blockers, yeah?” Michael nodded. “It’ll be easier then. I didn’t have that when I started.”

“How was recovery?” Stephen questioned, going into 'doctor mode' as Tony liked to call it.

“Annoying.” Rem sighed. “My partner teased me because I couldn’t reach very far so I had T-Rex arms.”

“T-Rex?” Loki looked confused. Rem demonstrated what that was, and Loki laughed. “There was such a creature?!”

“Looks like I know where our next date is.” James shook his head. “Oh…maybe we can bring Maggie…”

“Where?”

“Museum of Natural History.”

“You know I’ll never turn down a museum trip.” Loki smiled, giving James a quick kiss.

“So you couldn’t move your arms for a while?” Michael wanted to get back to the topic.

“For at few weeks, but I get the feeling yours will be quicker.” Rem raised an eyebrow with a small smile. Tony realized they meant thanks to Lady Eir or Loki’s salve that Maggie had used before.

“Ah. Yeah probably.” Stephen chuckled.

——

“Thank you again for taking the time to do this interview Miss Stark, Mr. Stark.” Pam Robinson was the same interviewer that Ana had a year ago, and she was obviously excited to interview both daughter and father. She smiled at the two of them as she sat across from them, getting her blonde hair ready. Tony had requested they had a couch while Pam perched comfortably in her chair. While he was dressed in usual interview attire with his red suit, Ana had decided on simple dress slacks with a button up shirt. She had the sleeves rolled up neatly and had just finished having her own hair fixed up.

“Thank you for meeting our requests to do said interview.” Tony chuckled. They were at Stark Tower, with a room full of producers, camera crew and even lawyers. Pepper was finalizing a few things with the head producer before they began filming. Every single person had to sign not only an NDA but a contract if they spoke of anything that happened in this interview they would be subjected to a hefty fine. Pepper also had final say on the final cut that would be shown that evening.

“I feel like this will be well worth it.” The blonde paused as she got her makeup retouched up. “Should we wait for our other guest?”

“No, he’ll be arriving midway. Figure we’ll give your audience a little suspense in the beginning.” Tony smiled. It was Ana’s idea to have the interview be just those two first, to talk about Ana’s health before going into Riven.

“Brilliant! Then let’s get started.” Once they got their cue, Pam began going into the interview, talking to both Tony and Ana equally. After going into what had caused the coma as a ‘magical attack’ on against her, Pam asked how she has been doing since then.

“I had to stay in the hospital wing for a few days, but I’m out and back home.” Ana gave a tired smile. "I do tire easily, so it’s gonna take some time before I’m back to complete normalcy.

“Unfortunately your records, along with some photos leaked.” Tony narrowed his eyes at her. “It was horrifying to see…and for you, Mr. Stark to have to deal with that as well.” He cleared his throat before he spoke.

“It was.”

“No parent ever wants to see their child in any danger, I can’t imagine what it must have felt like.”

“I have dealt with terrorists…palladium poisoning…an alien invasion…” Tony sighed. “More terrorists…Hydra…rogue AI…a super hero civil war….” He chuckled. “And all of that…I would’ve rather dealt with than sitting by Ana’s side as she laid dying.” He felt Ana take his hand, and it wasn’t until she did so that he noticed it was shaking. He let out a shaky breath, before looking back to the reporter. She stared, mouth slightly open in surprise before she clears her throat.

“I-I’m sorry you had to go through that…” There was an awkward pause before she continued. “R-recently…” She took a breath to stabilize herself. “Recently two of your children have graduated.”

“Yes, and we’ve never been prouder.” Tony smiled, happy to push through the tension that he caused. “Peter’s getting ready for college while Michael’s getting ready to head into high school.”

“Which is very exciting!” Pam smiled. “That being said we saw that both boys had a ton of support at their graduations.”

“Well everyone wanted to see both Peter and Michael walk.” Ana chuckled.

“Everyone indeed. Thanks to social media we saw not only your fiancé and children, but King Thor and Prince Loki, along with Dr. Banner and Sergeant Barnes as well.”

“Like she said. Everyone.” Tony huffed a laugh.

“Well thanks to ‘everyone’ you have been trending for 3 days since Friday afternoon!” Tony heard the tell tale sound of a portal opening in the background, meaning the real show was about to begin. “But there was something everyone has been really focused on.”

“Something…”

“Or someone?” Tony started to say with Ana finishing. Pam giggled.

“I’m sorry, it’s just…” She motioned toward the two of them. “Like father like daughter.” Said father and daughter looked at each other, before laughing. “We can cut that if you wish.”

“It’s fine.” Tony chuckled. “But as you were saying.”

“Yes!” She cleared her throat again. “Someone has been on everyone’s mind. So I have to ask…” She paused for dramatic effect. “Who was that young man who looks just like Ana?”

“That’s a very good question. But before we get to him we need to explain how he got here.” Tony looked over to Ana. He knew if she couldn’t tell it he would, but he wanted to give her the chance. Ana seemed to pause, before asking Pam her own question.

“What do you know of the cult murders two years back?” Pam seemed to be thrown for a loop at that, thinking before she spoke up.

“That you, your brother and little sister were a part of a cult, who’s leader sacrificed all of the members—your mother included— for some demonic ritual.” It was the information that was given to the public. “But it failed.”

“It didn’t. Not exactly.” Ana paused again, seeming to gather her thoughts. “Johnathan—that’d be the leader— tried to summon a demon to ‘cleanse the earth’ and rebuild in his image.” She scoffed, rolling her eyes. “When I was 3 he started a rather long and intricate ritual to make me the vessel of said demon. Every 3 years I would have another ritual, and…” She looked down, rubbing the scars on the palms of her hands. “Another mark. Until I was 15 and he manage to actually finish the summoning. But it wasn’t a demon.”

“T-Then what was it?” The interviewer looked pale.

“Something else. Something that…actually could be quite terrifying.” Ana chuckled. “But he’s not. He’s been there with me, for 15 years.”

“With you?”

“Our souls were bound together. So we were two souls, two different beings, in one body.”

“But where was he?” Ana taped the side of her head.

“Here. And before you ask, yes he would come out at varying times. And yes, everyone in our family knew about him from day one.”

“Why hasn’t this been public before this?” Pam looked to Tony.

“Think about it. Two years ago would you have believed that? Like seriously believed that? No. No you wouldn’t and that would’ve put Ana in danger.”

“So how-how did this being gain his own body?”

“Well we can’t go into do many details, but that ‘magical attack’ we mentioned earlier? That separated us.”

“So now you’re two people.”

“Yes.”

“And is he…friendly?” She wasn’t sure if she could ask that, which cause Tony to laugh.

“I think the best person to answer that would be him.” Tony looked behind the blonde reporter, to where Riven was waiting after having his mic set up. “Let me introduce my son. Riven Edwin Stark.”

——

“Ok on a scale from 1 to 10 how pissed are they?” Tony asked Rhodey as he walked toward the conference room where the Accords Council waited. Rhodey had gone earlier to finalize the report of what had happened with Mephisto’s portals and Ana and Riven’s situation. He was flanked by the twins, once again matching him in style.

“Oh after seeing that interview? Try 20.” Rhodey groaned. “I thought a few of them were going to pop a blood vessel.” He looked over to Riven. “By the way, nice job charming that reporter.” Riven grinned, remembering how flustered she got when he had sat down after taking her hand and kissing it in greeting.

“I had to make sure they showed me in a positive light.” Riven’s black eyes, clawed hands and fangs were a little unsettling but by the end of the interview Pam was obviously comfortable chatting with the Realmwalker. They kept the fact of what he truly was a secret, but it didn’t seem to matter.

“Pretty sure you already have a fan club online.” Ana snorted. After Riven had sat down she had taken his hand in hers, keeping it through the rest of the interview.

“Are you jealous?” Riven teased. He got a glare as an answer. “Beloved, you know I would never leave you. Ever.” He took her hand in his, giving it a gentle squeeze.

“Honestly? It’s impressive.” They arrived outside of the room, pausing to get themselves ready. “Let’s get this over with.” Tony entered first, with Ana and Riven following. All three were to sit in front of the council members, most who looked upset, a few enraged. There were few still who looked intrigued.

“Councilmen. Councilwomen.” Tony greeted, before looking to Ross. “Ross.”

“How come I get my own greeting?” Ross blinked.

“Because you’re my favorite council member.” Tony flashed a grin at him. “I hear you have been trying to get ahold of me all weekend.”

“Yes, care to explain why you couldn’t be bothered to return our calls?” One councilman said before Ross could even begin to speak.

“I’m sure Friday alerted you I was out of office until today.” Tony picked at an invisible piece of lint on his suit sleeve. “Had a few graduations, a few celebratory dinners and pool parties…”

“And apparently an interview, which was not authorized by us!” Tony recognized that voice as one of the three who spoke about taking Riven. He looked to the older woman, glancing at her tag to see her name was Watts.

“Councilwoman Watts. I didn’t realize I needed to authorize an interview with me and my children.” He tilted his head in confusion. “Pretty sure that’s not in the accords.”

“You leaked unauthorized information!”

“Where?” She seemed to stop at the question, blinking in confusion. “Tell me where that information wasn’t already public? The only thing that we said that wasn’t public information was Ana’s torture in the cult. But that was always by her choice, it was never anything that was labeled as confidential by the council.”

“He has a point, Councilwoman.” Ross spoke up, before clearing his throat. “But there is another issue we need to discuss.” He glanced over at Riven, who was sitting calmly in between Ana and Tony. “While Colonel Rhodes did alert us of what happened to Ana earlier today, it seems the world knew of what happened as of Friday afternoon.” Tony smiled, chuckling.

“I wasn’t going to have Riven stay at home while his siblings graduated.”

“You talk as if it is one of your own.” Another councilman sneered, which Tony knew was another of those who wanted Riven.

“Councilman Steele. You talk as if he’s not right here.” Tony raised an eyebrow.

“Which is why we called you here! That—thing needs to be removed from your care.”

“How are you going to do that?” Tony leaned back in his chair. “He’s already legally my son.”

“I-I’m sorry…your son?” Ross looked to Riven, who was calmly watching the council members. “How—“

“Same program that we used to get my children’s birth certificates and social security numbers. And as of this yesterday, he is legally Riven Edwin Stark, my second oldest son.” Steele looked absolutely livid. He was the one who was talking about dissecting him, and having him in the same room made Tony a little on edge. He watched as Steele, Watts, and their third accomplice Councilwoman Davis all shared glances and looks of annoyance.

“I would like to see the paperwork after this meeting, if that’s alright with you.” Ross said, having already known about Riven before all of this.

“Not a problem, I’ll send it your way, along with a few other tidbits you’ll find interesting.”

“Thank you Mr. Stark.” Ross said, slightly confused. “Now, we do need to be brought up to speed on Riven and his abilities and what this…split…means for Ana and her magic.”

“As of right now we do not know how it affects my magic. Until further notice I’m not allowed to use magic.” Ana spoke up. “We’ll be reviewing it in about a month.”

“So until further notice Voracity is benched, is that correct?” One councilman spoke up, writing something down.

“Correct.”

“And…what of you, Riven?” Ross wasn’t sure how to talk to the Realmwalker.

“What of me?” Ross cleared his throat.

“Your magic?”

“I’m not sure yet. Seeing as this is a new body I have to be careful.”

“So no word if you are going to join with the Avengers like your father?” Another councilwoman asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I probably won’t. I see no point in it.” That caused a few murmurs around the room before someone asked

“What do you mean you see no point?” Riven hummed, thinking of how to approach this.

“The Avengers are a team of heroes. I am no hero.”

“Should we be worried that you will try something that will endanger the Earth? Someone we need to lock down?” Councilwoman Davis voiced, glaring at him.

“Kinda jumping the gun aren't we Councilwoman Davis?" Tony glared right back, sitting straighter.

"What you expect with this-thing here!"

"Excuse me-" Tony was cut off by Riven touching his shoulder.

“To answer your question...no.” Riven chuckled. “If I was going to do something would I have sat here listening to you all talk as if I’m not here?” That caused the woman to pause. “No, I wouldn’t have. I’m here on the behalf of my Il Babbo and my beloved. Otherwise I wouldn’t give any of you the time of day.”

“Then how can we be sure you don’t do something in the future?” Watts questioned.

“You don’t. But your paranoia is not my problem.” He shrugged

“Then this thing is an issue, one of which I say we take care of!” Steele complained. “Even if it’s under Stark’s ‘care’ if it’s dangerous we need to deal with it.” The council started talking amongst themselves, some agreeing some not.

“Councilman Steele!” Ross yelled, causing everyone to calm down. “This ‘thing’ you seem to have an issue with is an actual person!”

“Is it? It wasn’t born, it was created, and by something we have no idea about!”

“It’s not our place to know.” Ross huffed. “As per the agreement with Dr. Strange.”

“This is dangerous Councilman Ross! I suggest we take it from Mr. Stark’s care until we can confirm it’s not dangerou—” Steele was cut off as dozens of ribbons suddenly apparate out of thin air, criss crossing throughout the room until every single council member had a ribbon to their throat. Tony glanced at Riven, who looked annoyed.

“Shhhh…” Riven put a claw to his lips, before standing up. No one moved. “There we go. Now. Your concern is that I’m dangerous. As you can see…I am very dangerous. But I have yet to hurt anyone. Do you know why?” He started to walk toward the different council members. “Because I don’t want to. I don’t want to because until now, I have been left alone.” He started to make his way towards Coucilman Steele. “But then, someone or should I say someone’s…decided to talk about how to take me away from my family. To dissect me….see how I ‘tick’ " He stopped, before looking at Steele. All six eyes were on him now, and Tony watched as a few members who were close enough to see it recoiled in shock. “Meaning I now want…to hurt someone. I want to be dangerous. Tell me, do you want me to be dangerous, Councilman?” Riven waited until the older man shook his head. “Then why did you speak about opening me up and seeing what’s inside so arrogantly?” He sneered, fangs bared. The man paled even further.

“W-What’s he talking about?” Ross was the only one who didn’t have a ribbon on him, but he didn’t want to move.

“Watts, Steele and Davis all spoke about taking Riven away from me. Watts pointed out that legally he wasn’t my kid, so they could take him, and Steele there wanted to see if they can replicate what caused Riven to have his own body. Davis talking about how to make sure I couldn’t see him again, bringing up charges against the recent Hellish portals and the murders two years ago.” Tony said, watching them all. Ross’s eyes widened.

“The tidbits…”

“Are audio recordings from the Avengers compound where the three talked about doing so.”

“That’s why he’s—”

“Very angry? Yeah.”

“Any chance he’s going to stop?” Ross looked back to Riven.

“…Maybe not.” Tony shrugged. He looked to Ana for some help.

“Riven.” Ana called. “I think they got the point.” Riven closed his eyes, before the ribbons dissolved away. When he opened them it was his main pair, glaring at any and all council members as he walked back to his seat. After a pause, Tony clapped his hands once, putting a fake smile on for everyone.

“Meeting adjourned!”

Notes:

That's one way to get your point across.

I should be back on track to post wednesday/thursday, so look forward to it! Again thank you all for the love!

Chapter 37: "Spare the sympathy, Everybody want to be my enemy"

Notes:

Hello everyone! Thank you all for the kudos and comments, I really appreciate it all! I hope you enjoy this chapter

Title - Enemy by Imagine Dragons

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“What the hell did you do?!” Tony whispered to Riven, who to anyone else looked like he was leaning against Ana as if he was bored, when in reality he was leaning against Ana to stay upright. They were watching as security escorted Watts Davis and Steele out, while Ross explained the situation to some of the higher ups.

“I made sure they heard me loud and clear.” Riven closed his eyes, resting his head on Ana’s shoulder. He looked a little paler than before, which concerned Tony.

“We could’ve done that without your theatrics.” Ana sighed as she put an arm around him, pulling him closer.

“Maybe. But it was more fun this way.” “I can’t talk you out of telling him?”

“He’s already been alerted.” Friday spoke up from Tony’s phone. “He put in a protocol to be alerted if either you or Ana used any magic.”

“When was that put in?”

“After they got out of the hospital. You gave him authorization.”

“Ah, that explains it.” Tony chuckled. Riven just groaned.

“Mr. Stark.” Ross walked over. “You and the twins are free to go, if we need anything else we’ll be in touch.”

“I take it those three are in serious trouble?”

“Conspiracy to kidnapping, human trafficking and illegal experimentation? Oh yes.”

“Would it be considered human trafficking if I’m not human?” Riven opened his eyes to look up at Ross. Ross stared for a moment before putting a hand on Riven’s shoulder.

“We’ll keep it labeled as human. Realmwalker kidnapping doesn’t quite roll of the tongue.” Riven just chuckled at that. “Go get some rest.” He could tell he wasn’t quite well. Luckily no one bothered them as they left, and it wasn’t long until they made it outside where instead of Happy waiting for them it was—

“Pater.” Riven tried to give him a smile, but he knew he was in trouble. Stephen stood there, hands on his hips.

“What happened?” They explained what caused Riven to use magic, which by the end of it Tony couldn’t tell who Stephen was mad at more, Riven or the council members. He opened the portal up to home and once they stepped into the living Stephen began checking Riven’s vitals. “You realize how dangerous that was?” Less mad and more worried.

“Yes. I’m sorry.” Riven sighed. “I knew if it kept up they’d find an excuse to butt into our lives further…”

“So you decided to threaten them?” Stephen raised an eyebrow as he crossed his arms.

“More of a warning really. Don’t fuck with me I won’t fuck with you?” Riven shrugged, before looking to the side at a newly opened portal. “Did you call Uncle Wong as well?!”

“He didn’t have to. I was with him when Friday alerted him.” Wong crossed his arms as well. They looked identical, which was just comical.

“Wow that’s just creepy.” Tony laughed.

“What is?”

“You both give the exact disapproving stares, hell even your stance is the same!” Wong and Stephen looked at each other before both responding-

“It is not the same.” Ana had to cover her mouth to stop from outright laughing, while Riven bit his lip trying to school his face and not smile. “Stop it.” Again, both said before sighing heavily.

“Oh my god.” Tony laughed. “Thank you for this you two, made the day much better.” Stephen chuckled, shaking his head. Wong cleared his throat before looking to Riven.

“What exactly did you do?”

“Actually I can show you what he did.” Tony said, taping his frames. “Do we wanna take the elevator or—” Wong was already opening a portal to the lab. “Alright. Fri let Michael and Peter know we’re down in the lab if they come home before we’re done.” Both of his sons were out on a ‘group date’ which meant Peter, MJ, Michael, Maggie, Robin, Ned and Ned’s new girlfriend Betty were out at the movies.

“Of course Boss.” Once everyone was in the lab, Tony had a screen come up showing the whole meeting. Riven sat back, with Ana holding his hand. When the ribbons appeared both Wong and Stephen leaned in closer. Stephen, having been around Tony’s tech more so than Wong, easily manipulated the video so they could zoom in where the ribbons were coming from, with it auto focusing so it wasn’t fuzzy or hard to see.

“Interesting…” Wong looked to Riven. “Where did they come from?”

“Technically…they’re still from me…” Riven held up a claw, and they watched as a ribbon came into existence nearby. Stephen and Wong both went over, with Tony motioning for Friday to start recording. “I shift them from a different plane of existence.” On further inspection it looked just like Ana’s scars, with the ribbon seeming to be pulled and tear out of thin air instead of flesh. “It’s where the rest of me is.” At the confused looks, he continued “You took a non-corporeal being and shoved it into a humanoid body. And said body can only hold so much. The rest of me didn’t just go away, it was put into a different plane of existence…kind of like the little room I have that has my tomes and the jars from Mordo.” Tony remembered seeing that portal open before…it didn’t look like the portals he learned from Stephen and Wong, but at the time he didn't too much of it.

“So even with you having access to that…” Stephen questioned.

“I am still very weak, and cannot access all of my abilities. Just my ribbons. Anything else may take years of training this body to recover. That being said what I did today was all I’m able to really do with said ribbons. And even then it was draining.”

“What about you, Ana?” Wong looked to the teen who was still next to Riven. “Have you tried using your ribbons?” Ana held out her hand, and after a moment the ribbon pulled from her palm. She winced and hissed in pain. At the concerned looks she explained.

“It stings. Like when I first started to use them.” As the ribbons dissolved Stephen noticed some bleeding from the scar, and went over to carefully examine it. With a twist of his hand a first aid kit appeared on the table next to them, and he got to work. “I’m probably going to wait on using my back ones until I get stronger.”

“We’ll start very slow in regards to your magic.” Wong agreed. “For now, you both need to rest. And no more showing off Riven!”

“Yes Uncle Wong.” Riven sighed.

“Like father like son.” Wong huffed, opening a portal to head out. Before Tony could ask which one he called back “Both fathers!” Before the portal closed.

“…He’s not wrong.” Ana laughed.

——

After dinner that night Tony and Stephen began to plan their summer vacation further. It had been put off with everything that happened with the twins, but now they could truly focus on making this one better than the last.

“What if we went globe hopping? Take the kids to all kinds of locations.”

“What do you have in mind?” Stephen leaned over from where he was sitting to glance at Tony’s tablet. He had different museums, amusement parks, hell even libraries all open, all around the world.

“Well Italy for one, thinking Japan for another. Spain?”

“Spain might be fun.” Stephen hummed. “Egypt? Mia really liked the exhibits in that one museum.”

“True. Only thing I worry about it crowds, and fans. Paparazzi.” Tony groaned. While the US was one thing, international could be another.

“You really think we wouldn’t have spells on us to hide who we were even outside of the US?” He could tell Stephen was already mentally checking which spells to put up for their visits.

“Well when you put it like that…” Tony kissed Stephen, humming as the sorcerer tilted his head to deepen it.

“Really guys? Soon as I come home?” They pulled away from each other and looked to see Carol, with Rhodey behind her.

“Carol! Oh man I didn’t know you’d be back today.” Before Tony could even get up his herd of children came rushing from the east wing, having heard from Friday that she was home.

“AUNT CAROL!” Mia screamed excitedly, running and jumping into the blondes arms. She laughed as she spun the little girl around.

“Oh my goodness Mia! You’ve grown so much since I saw you!” She hugged her tightly, before accepting hugs from Peter and Michael. “I’m sorry I missed your guys graduations.”

“It’s fine!”

“We’re just glad you’re safe. How was space, was it actually cold? And how was Xandar? Is it different, I mean is has to since it’s a different planet but—” Peter was cut off when Carol hugged him again.

‘I’ll tell you everything in due time. Right now I wanna sit. Also, where’s your sister?” As she set Mia down she turned and her eyes widened at seeing both Ana and Riven. “Oh…wow. Jim warned me but…” She walked over, looking between the two before pulling both into a big hug. “I’m glad you’re both ok.” Tony could see Riven was a little tense, before he melted into the hug. “And it’s nice to see both of you at the same time.” Carol chuckled. As she lead them to the couches to sit, Tony noticed her ring.

“Please tell me he proposed in the compound.” Carol blinked, looking down at the ring.

“He did—”

“Yes! Friday pull that video and save if for their wedding!” Tony fist pumped.

“Don’t you dare!” Rhodey sputtered, obviously not happy with whatever plan Tony had. “I dunno what you plan to do but—”

“Aw Honey-Bear I’m just doing my part as your best man!”

“How do you know I’m having you as my best man?” They stared at each other for a moment before both laughed. “I can’t even keep a straight face.”

“I know!” Tony laughed. “Carol, I’m so glad you’re back home.”

“Me too Tones.” Carol sighed sinking into the couch a bit. “Now, catch me up on what I missed.”

——

“Tony.”

“Rem.” He looked over to Toby. “Tobias.”

“Mr. Stark.”

“Pretty sure I told you to call me Tony.” The boy rolled his eyes.

“Then don’t call me Tobias. Only Rem can, and only if I’m in trouble.” Rem chuckled, pulling him to their side.

“I see you don’t have your entire entourage here with you.” Rem hummed. Tony had saved Toby and Rem’s seats as they waited for Mia’s ‘graduation’.

“Yeah I got a call from the principal begging me to not have so many people. Told him it’s immediate family and one family friend.” He motioned to Logan who was talking with Riven.

“Just the one?” Rem sat down.

“Yeah…Mia had him promise he’d come.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah she adores him. It’s a funny story how they met.”

“We’ve got time.” Tony explained how Logan saved Mia from kidnapping. “Damn. I knew with you being famous it may come with the territory…”

“Well thanks to our merry band of wizards it’s very hard to pull that off again.”

“You did not just call me and the other magic users a ‘merry band of wizards’ did you?” Stephen questioned, overhearing his fiancée.

“What, no never!” Tony just smiled brightly at Rem, causing them to chuckle. “By the way I noticed you have both with you.” He nodded to Crowley sitting with Toby, while Aziraphale sat next to Rem.

“I asked the school if it was alright. Crowley has his own vest and tags, and I gave them proper documentation.” Tony looked and Crowley did indeed have his own vest that had patches saying ‘working animal’ and ‘do not pet’.

“Nice. I notice Toby really clings to him.” Tony spoke softer.

“Ah. Cause Crowley saved him.” Before he could ask more, the principal and the teachers came onto the stage. While they didn’t make as big of a scene as they did with his eldest graduations, Mia still got a big cheer when her name was called, followed by Sarah. Once it was over Mia rushed over, bouncing in place in excitement. Her graduation cap came off so she was holding it along with her certificate in her hands.

“Hi Mr. Logan!!” Logan gave the little girl a soft smile, before ruffling her hair.

“Heya munchkin. Congratulations.”

“Thank you!” Tony chuckled, using his frames to snap some pictures of the two of them. “Wanna meet my best friend?” Mia then dragged him over to Sarah, and Tony had to laugh as Logan then said hello to Sarah and Rem.

“Please tell me you’re getting video.” Stephen wrapped an arm around his waist, watching as Logan leaned down as if to make himself seem smaller to the little girls.

“Oh I am so getting video.”

——

“Boss?” Friday interrupted Tony as he was finalizing the last bit of their summer trips. The first week of July, which was only a few days away started their vacation time. They had agreed to visiting several different places worldwide, while only staying in Italy and Japan for multiple weeks. Portals were an amazing thing.

“Hm?”

“A Senator Murphy is requesting a meeting.” He paused, racking his brain as to who that was. Friday helpfully pulled up a tab on the tablet he was working on with an elderly man named Roger Murphy. At scanning his information he noticed he had close ties with Councilman—or should he say former Councilman— Steele.

“Does he state what it’s in regards to?”

“He says it a personal matter, and he’d like to touch base before your vacation starts.” They had already alerted the council and the Kamar-Taj about their vacation, so he knew they’d gone soon if he didn’t meet with him now.

“Where is he?” Tony sighed.

“He’s down near Colonel Rhodes office. Would you like me to direct him to your office down there?” Tony technically had an office, but he never used it. It was used more often in the beginning but now…he was barely there.

“Sure, let him know I’ll be there shortly.” He shot Stephen a text to make sure everything was finalized on his end, before heading to the office.

“Mr. Stark.” Senator Murphy shook Tony’s hand, before following him into his office.

“What can I do for you Senator?”

“I heard about the recent council meeting.” The senator sat down in one of the chairs in front of the desk, while Tony sat at the desk. He noticed that despite not being here recently it was clean, and updated pictures were on his desk as if he was down here regularly. Something Friday must have done.

“Which one?” At the look he got, Tony sighed. “Ah that one. Yes, what about it?”

“All three are being charged and even if they do not see any prison time they will never be able to work in the government again.” Tony nodded. “Although I have to say, I am curious.”

“Curious?”

“About Riven.” Tony’s eyes narrowed. “I mean you are a man of science. The fact that his body was built from 'magic' …you understand why anyone would be curious, right?”

“Even if they’re curious that doesn’t give them the right to try and take my kid away from me.”

“You’re very right. However…” Tony was getting annoyed. “What if Riven allowed us to look at him to understand his body? I’m not suggesting anything like what Steele and the others wanted. Just see if we can figure out how it happened. Scientifically.”

“That’s not going to be possible. Cause as you said….it’s magic.” Murphy rolled his eyes.

“Come now Stark. You’re a man of science. You don’t seriously believe it’s just that, right?” A few years ago, he wouldn’t have but now…

“What is it you’re here for, Senator?”

“What Steele planned to do was wrong. But. What if he was onto something. Think about the scientific—no the medical advances his power could have! Someone loses their arm, or was in a horrible accident? No issues. What about cancer, he could be the cure for it!” The man was just grasping at straws, using any excuse to try and get Riven under a microscope. Tony stood before walking around the desk and leaned back against it, right in front of the man before him. He crossed his arms and stared down at the senator.

“So let me make sure I hear this right. You’re here to convince me to let the government poke and prod at my kid? Is that what I’m hearing?”

“Well not exactly—”

“Don’t bullshit me.” Tony cut him off. “I figured after what happened with the council members you guys would back off but apparently I have to make it a little clearer for you. You keep coming for Riven, for what every bullshit lie you can think of, and I will resign from the Avengers.” Murphy’s eyes widened.

“If you do that you will never be able to use your Iron Man suit again! You’d be going against the Accords if so!” Tony just shrugged.

“That’s fine.” Murphy flinched at how quickly he responded. “But think about what you’d really lose. Because if I go, then Stephen goes. If we both go so does Spider-man, Loki too…which means you no longer have access to Thor or Dr. Banner. And if Loki’s gone Barnes leaves…which means you lose good ol’ Captain America. Which if he’s gone, so’s Wilson, and Romanoff…Barton’s already retired.” Tony leaned in a bit, raising an eyebrow. “So let me ask… you trying to get Riven…is it worth it?”

Notes:

Whoops. Government may have pushed a little too hard.

See you all next week!

Chapter 38: "Fight so dirty, but you love so sweet, Talk so pretty, but your heart got teeth"

Notes:

Hello everyone! Sorry this one was late, this year has not been a good year for my families health. My dad had to go to the hospital on Wednesday so everything's been off. He'll be ok, just a long road to recovery.

Trigger warning: This chapter does talk about the adoption system and how messed up it is.

Title - Teeth by 5 seconds of summer

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

For a tense moment, no one said anything. Senator Murphy just stared at Tony, before his face broke out into a grin.

“Well looks like I can’t convince you. Shame really.” He didn’t sound a least bit upset as he sighed. Tony blinked, taken aback by that.

“Huh?”

“Miss Friday, is it possible to have the recording of our conversation? We only need up to when Mr. Stark threatened to pull out of the Avengers.”

“Yes Senator.” Friday sounded amused.

“Great. I’ll need that.”

“I’m sorry, what?” Tony stared at the older gentlemen, completely baffled. “What’s going on?”

“Well Mr. Stark, I came here to convince you to let Riven become a government test subject, and you have vehemently rejected me.”

“No I get that but you are backing down real quick. Like suspiciously quick.” Tony thought for a moment. “You…don’t want Riven…do you?”

“Me? No. I see no point in having your son subjected to all kinds of various tests with the excuse of ‘advancing our species’. Their words, not mine.”

“And by they you mean—”

“My fellow Senators, and even a few on the accords council.”

“Then why send you?” Tony asked, annoyed.

“They didn’t ‘send’ me. I volunteered.” At the confused look Murphy continued. “Anyone else would push, take a step back after your ultimatum and then come back later thinking you’ve calmed down. Me? I don’t want that. At all.” Tony processed what the Senator was saying, humming an acknowledgment.

“So what do you want?” Tony watched the man before him. “No offense but you’re a politician. You don’t do things for free. So you have to have had a reason to come bug me under the pretense of convincing me to give up my son.”

“None taken.” Murphy chuckled. “You’re right. There is something I want from you.”

“Knew it.”

“But I don’t think you’ll mind doing what I ask.” The inventor raised an eyebrow. “But first, a little background if you don’t mind.” Murphy then pulled out his wallet, and pulled out a photograph, which he gave to Tony to look at. It was of Murphy, holding a little girl, possibly at a park given the background. The little girl was much dark than the man that held her, dressed adorably in a pink and purple dress, her curly hair pulled into two pigtails. She gave the camera a big smile, her gold eyes shining with excitement. With said smile he could see she had fangs, and glancing at the hands that clutched Murphy’s shirt it was possible she had claws.

“That’s my daughter. Evelyn.” Murphy smiled fondly, taking the picture when Tony handed it back. “She’ll be 4 this year. We adopted her roughly 3 years ago.”

“She’s—”

“A mutant.” Murphy hummed. “When we got her from the adoption agency she didn’t have claws, fangs or even gold eyes. They were brown.” He looked down at the photograph. “Then about a year later, her eyes changed…then her teeth…finally her nails. I called the agency, to see if they had record of her birth parents. See if they were mutants as well, maybe get an idea on what to expect.” Murphy’s expression darkened. “Do you know what they asked?”

“I get the feeling I’m not going to like the answer.”

“No, you won’t. They asked if I could bring my baby girl back, to switch her with a human child.” Tony’s flinched at how cold the Senator sounded, repeating the words spoken to him years ago. “I refused. They kept pestering us about switching her, saying they’d find a nice mutant family so we could have a normal child. I still refused. My wife on the other hand…” Tony glanced down at the man’s hands and noticed there was no ring. “She wasn’t having it. She, like you gave me an ultimatum when I didn’t return Eve. You can tell which I picked.”

“It takes a special kind of person, to keep a child they know will be different. Many would’ve taken the agency’s offer.”

“Many would. My wife included.” He sighed. “Once the divorce was finalized I started looking into that agency. Really looking. Did you know they had a 99% rate of adopting out human children? Nearly every child that showed signs of being a mutant were returned.” Tony didn’t like where this seemed to be going.

“And the children who were returned?” Murphy pressed his lips tightly, before shaking his head. “What happened, Senator?”

“We’re still trying to find them. Officially they were adopted, but every single family they were adopted to…doesn’t exist.” Tony swallowed painfully, gripping the desk behind him tightly.

“This agency…is it still active?” Murphy shook his head, an amused grin on his face.

“That’s the funny thing…2 years ago they suddenly went under. Their director and several staff members were arrested for child abuse…and any mutants in their care were transferred to fosters who specialized in mutant children. I didn’t know there were such fosters….found out they were very recent…like a few months before the agency was taken down recent.” This all sounded familiar to Tony. “Some of the older children were able to gain scholarships to a privatized institute.” That was why it sounded familiar.

“I’m glad they were taken care of. Still, don’t like there are missing children…” Murphy just hummed in agreement, as if he already knew that once he left that office Tony would begin a search. “So what does this all have to do with me?”

“I’m getting to that. Around that time there was a bill that was getting ready to go to the floor. A mutant registration bill.” Tony was well aware of this. “The same week that agency went down the registration bill was gone…no longer available to be pushed through.”

“Ok…again this—”

“I know it was you Mr. Stark.” Murphy interrupted Tony’s denial. “And because it was you I’m asking for your help.”

“Help with what?”

“There are three new bills waiting to pass. Said bills make the first one look tame.” Tony tensed.

“Excuse me?”

“They’ve been pushing these bills along quietly. If it wasn’t for Councilman Steele I wouldn’t have known about them.”

“What’s he got to do with the bills?”

“He was bragging about them to me, saying it was the first step of many to ‘rid our country of freaks’.”

“Does he not know you have a mutant daughter?”

“I don’t think he cared. While he was great as a solider he's…a moron.”

“I did see you two were military buddies.”

“Barely.” Murphy snorted. “But thanks to his ignorance I found out about these bills.”

“Ok.” Tony sighed, thinking. “Send me the information, I’ll see if I can’t pull a few strings like before…can you also find out who proposed these bills first?”

“I can give you a list.”

“Good. I’m going to need that. Should have this all resolved before we’re on our way to Italy.”

“Oh.” Murphy blinked. “I was expecting you to start on it after your vacation.”

“Na Friday and I can get most of this done before we even step through a portal.”

“Are you sure? I didn’t come here to rush you, I mainly came before your time off so you knew what was going on.” Tony waved Murphy’s concern away.

“It’s fine. I’d rather take care of this now so we have no problems when we come back.”

“Well…thank you, Mr. Stark.” Tony shook the Senators hand.

“Just keep them off our back in regards to Riven?”

“Plan on it.”

“Then we’re good.”

——

“I can’t believe you already crushed their arguments for the bill.” Stephen chuckled as he read over Tony’s shoulder. “Also I thought you said no work during the vacation?” They were curled on a lounge chair up by the pool of their newly owned villa. Peter, Michael and Mia were in a pool that overshadowed the one at home, while Ana and Riven were in the kitchen. Ana outright squealed at seeing the expansive kitchen, and already had Friday pulling up recipes for their dinner that night. Tony was glad he remembered to have the fridge and pantry fully stocked.

“I’m not working. I’m just…watching the destruction of everything they hold dear.” The senators who pushed for this bill were suddenly very quiet in regards to mutants. “Right now they’re busy trying to do damage control.” He didn’t tell Friday to do it, but his baby girl seemed to take great pleasure in airing out their dirty little laundry. “Meaning it should be a while before they try this bullshit again.”

“Should we be concerned with how quickly you were able to bring those ba—d people out?” Peter called from the pool, side eyeing Mia to make sure she didn’t realize his slip up.

“You guys shouldn’t. But others….maybe.” The inventor shrugged.

“Don’t ever get involved in politics.” Stephen laughed.

“Don’t plan on it. Although at one point Pep did joke but being president…”

“No!”

“Don’t!”

“Absolutely not!” Peter, Michael and Stephen all exclaimed. Tony just pouted. Stephen just kissed his shoulder. “And what about the missing kids?” Stephen changed the subject, running a hand through Tony’s hair.

“Friday is still running the search on them. Even with the facility gone, their data trail is easy to track. Once she has something she’s going to update me. She’s going to also alert Charles so he and his team and help retrieve any kids that need help.”

“I’m sure Charles is grateful for that.”

“Yeah I got a message from him earlier, thanking him for the help.” Tony sat the tablet down, turning to fully face Stephen. “Now, as you said, no work. Vacation only.” He kissed his fiancé, humming happily as Stephen deepened the kiss.

“Gross!”

“Ew Dad!”

“Awwww!!!” Michael, Peter and Mia commented on seeing their fathers kissing.

“Hey, I don’t want to hear anything from the peanut gallery!” Tony mock glared.

“Why are we not hearing from the peanut gallery?” Riven came out, holding a tray of drinks. His complexion looked much better in the days leading to this getaway.

“Daddy and Papa were kissing!” Mia giggled, carefully getting out of the pool. Riven set the drinks on the nearby table before picking up a nearby towel and helping Mia dry off.

“Yeah that is pretty gross.”

“Hey!”

“What? Did you think I’d want to see my parents lip locked?”

“We were not lip locked.” Stephen’s comment got overshadowed by the teens loudly disagreeing. “OK we get it, no kissing.” He huffed. Tony just laughed, getting up to get a drink as well.

“You’re are all horrible.” He took the offered drink from Riven. “You guys excited for tomorrow?”

“Where are we all going again?” Michael asked as he got out of the pool.

“I figured tomorrow we’d check out the Colosseum, the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore…I know Peter specifically wanted to get pictures at the Grand Canal in Venice…the Uffizi Gallery will have to be an entire day in and of itself…”

“What’s that?” Mia questioned as she sat in the chair, drinking her juice that Riven handed to her previously. He had the same strong urge to take care of his siblings like Ana did, which amused Tony to no end.

“It’s one of the worlds more foremost art museums.”

“Ooh I like museums.”

“Me too.”

“This is your first time to a museum, right Riven?”

“Well..technically I’ve been to all the same ones you have.” His little sister gave him a look.

“But this is your first time in your own body. So it’s the first museum!” Riven blinked, before chuckling.

“You’re right…this will be my first museum.”

 

Later after dinner Tony and Stephen walked along the nearby beach on the property, holding hands carefully.

“When I said we should find a nice place to stay I didn’t mean actually buying a villa, you do know that right?”

“Well I figure if we ever want to come back for spring, or next summer, or just to get away from annoying politicians…you know the normal reasons people own separate estates.” Tony shrugged. “Also I figured the more vacation homes we have the more we can go and make amazing memories with our kids.”

“Does that mean we have a house in Japan waiting for us?”

“Maybe. Haven’t finalized it yet because I want to see which part the kids really like.”

“I’m surprised you just don’t have multiple in Japan.” Stephen rolled his eyes.

“Oooh that’s a great idea.”

“Tony, no.”

“Tony ye—” He was cut off by Stephen pulling him closer and kissing him deeply, “Ok Tony maybe.” He muttered once they broke apart. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” Stephen kissed him again, humming as Tony’s hands began to wander. “How private is this beach?”

“Very. Do you really want to get sand in all your crevices?” He raised an eyebrow.

“Sweetheart…” Again Stephen kissed him, slow and sensual.

“Hm?”

“Magic.” Tony blinked, his mind slowly processing what Stephen meant.

“Oh.” Stephen chuckled.

“Yeah, oh.”

“Fuck I love magic.”

Notes:

Look, I know this is a work of fiction but let's pretend there are more politicians like Murphy. And hey beginning of the vacation!

Thank you all again for the love and support, and for sticking with the weird upload times.

See you all next week!

Chapter 39: "No more counting dollars, we'll be, we'll be counting stars"

Notes:

So. I thought I had updated this last week. But because of the 'hiatus' chapter I didn't realize I hadn't (It's also been a very chaotic week for me.) That being said! After I post this I will be removing that chapter so the numbers are correct. And I'm going to have to push updates to being weekends instead of Wednesday, just cause the weekdays are super busy here lately.

Now this chapter is pretty much bits of their vacation! Some fluff and family time ahead.

 

Title - Counting Stars by One Republic

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Tones.”

“Honey Drop."

“You do know it’s 6am right?” Tony grinned at the tablet that showed his best friend.

“Not here, its only midnight. And you were up, don’t act like you weren’t. It’s all those years in the military, has you programed to get up at the crack of dawn.”

“…Yeah that’s fair.” He sighed. “How’s the vacation so far? And where’s everyone else?” Tony glanced around the massive living room where he was.

“Stephen took Ana and Riven to the theater, Peter and Michael are planning our trip out to Japan, and Mia’s in bed.”

“That’s right that’s tomorrow isn’t it?” Rhodey checked his watched. “Well…technically today.” Tony waved his reasoning away

“Details details. But yeah it’s tomorrow. Already confirmed our place in Tokyo is ready.”

“Weren’t you going to get another one?”

“Stephen talked me out of it.” Tony pouted. “By the way, did you get a chance to see the pictures I had Friday send over?”

“Yes! Carol’s already got a few printed and framed.” Peter had a field day these last few weeks taking shots of not only the scenery but of his family. Tony’s personal favorite is one they took at the Santa Maria del Fiore Cathedral. During the tour Mia got grumpy, and Riven decided to pick her up and hold her as she fell asleep. Peter caught the exact moment that they were standing in the choir dome, with Riven looking up at the Last Judgement, with Mia tucked under his chin. In the background you can see Stephen pointing out different things to Ana and Michael. That was one of many outings they shared, between Italy, Egypt, hell they went to London a few times as well. Now they were heading to Japan.

“Awesome, how’s everything else going on over there?”

“I thought you said you weren’t going to work.” Rhodey raised an eyebrow.

“I’m not working! I’m asking my best friend how things are. Not the same thing.” Rhodey huffed out a laugh.

“Alright fair. It’s been quiet. Carol and I have had a ton of meetings since she’s been back, Hope and Scott have been in San Fransisco…Wanda and Vision are in and out of here. She’s positively glowing.”

“So it’s been confirmed?”

“Yeah. Ana’s elixir worked.” Tony nodded. “It’s kinda weird she’s gonna have to the Kamar-Taj and not a doctor.”

“Well it is a magical pregnancy so…” He shrugged. “How’s Lokes and James been?”

“Busy. They’ve been having more outings with Maggie. Oh you’ll find this funny. The adoption agency wanted me and Carol for interviews.”

“Why?” Tony asked concerned.

“Because of who James and Loki are, what with one being a Prince of New Asgard and the other being a 102 war vet. Of course Thor and Bruce were interviewed on Loki’s behalf, and Rogers actually asked if he could also speak to the agency for James.”

“And what did James say?”

“He was fine with it. While James isn’t the same person he was in the 40s, he can still give them insight.”

“Wait, has he met Maggie?” Tony wracked his brain on if the super solider ever met the teenage girl.

“Once.”

“When was this? How did I miss it?”

“It was last week.” Rhodey laughed. “Rogers has been going out to visit different places in Brooklyn, and he was coming back as Rem was dropping Maggie off.”

“And? Details Honey Bunches details!”

“Not much to tell. He was nice, respectful and even teased James with tales of when they were kids.”

“Bet James loved that.”

“He started muttering something in Russian.” Tony laughed. “They’re looking at houses not too far from where Maggie’s foster lives.” That area would be nice and quiet.

“I figured he’d go back to Brooklyn.”

“Yeah me and Rogers thought so too. But when he was told otherwise Rogers just told him to let him know if he needs help picking one out.” Rhodey shrugged. “Of course they have Loki’s home in New Asgard. Apparently he’s working on getting Maggie a room set up.”

“They should be getting to the placement phase.” Tony hummed, thinking. He hadn’t need to do that with his kids due to their circumstance, but Maggie was a normal teen. This is a big step towards adopting Maggie.

“Hence the looking for a house.”

“Yeah. I’m honestly happy for them both.” Tony hear someone behind him and looked to see Michael coming down the stairs. “Hey Bambino. You all ready?” Michael nodded as he sat next to his dad, resting against his arm to see the tablet.

“Yeah, I think so. Hi Uncle Rhodey!” Rhodey smiled at seeing his nephew.

“Hey Mickey. How’s Italy?”

“Really fun! How’s Raph?” Rhodey and Carol were on turtle and fish tank duty.

“He’s good, he misses you. Keeps trying to bite me.” Michael laughed. “Wait why aren’t you at the theater with Stephen? I thought you liked the theater.” Michael shrugged, hiding his face into Tony's shoulder before responding.

“I don’t know Italian. And it’s an opera, which I’m not a big fan of.”

“Ah. Yeah I’m not either.” Rhodey chuckled. Tony got a notification from Friday that the opera Stephen and the twins were at was over.

“Looks like Steph and the twins are done.” Tony informed them.

“Then I’ll let you go. Have fun guys, we’ll talk later!” Rhodey waved.

“Bye Uncle Rhodey!”

“Bye Gumdrop.” Just as the video cut out they heard the tell tale sound of a portal. “Hey you three! Enjoy the show?”

“We did. Everything ready for tomorrow?” Stephen asked, unbuttoning his suit jacket. They had dressed nicely to the show.

"You mean today?” Stephen threw him an unamused look. “Yes everything is ready. I made sure Mia’s things are packed, I already alerted both the staff who’ll look after this place and the staff for our new place in Japan that we’re leaving and coming…Michael you and Pete ready?”

“Yup. We’re all set!” Michael grinned. “What about you two?” He looked to his older siblings.

“We got ready before heading to the theater.”

“Was it fun?” He said he didn’t want to go but Tony had a feeling he wanted to, but wasn’t sure if he’d like it, hence staying home.

“Honestly? It was good. But you really wouldn’t have liked it.” Ana sighed.

“Even if you knew Italian it was very…sad.”

“Yeah I’m not really a fan of depressing stories.”

“Then you really wouldn't have liked it.” Stephen reached out and ruffled Michael’s hair. “We should all get to bed. Big day tomorrow.”

“You guys act like we can’t just portal back and forth.” Michael huffed.

“Well yeah but, less time sightseeing.” Tony pointed out.

“Yeah that’s true. Did you ask Uncle Viz where the fox village was?!” Vision’s tales of his trip to Japan is one reason for their vacation there.

“Of course I did.”

“Awesome. Tomorrow’s gonna be amazing.” The teen looked excited.

“Don’t you mean—”

“Don’t you dare Anthony.”

“No.”

“Stop that.”

“You guys are no fun.”

——

 

“You got us a luxury apartment.”

“Technically it’s the penthouse.” Tony laughed at Peter’s awed expression as the boy looked around at their furnishings. “I figured this would be nice while we’re in the city, and we have a reservation for a ryokan at Mt. Fuji next week.”

“Ryokan?” Mia parroted, looking confused. Michael and Peter also looked lost.

“It’s a type of inn here in Japan. Wait you said it’s at Mt. Fuji??” Ana asked, pulling out her phone.

“Yeah, it’s call La Vista Fuji Kawaguchiko.” After Ana looked it up, she smiled.

“It has private Onsens.”

“Onsens?”

“It’s a hot spring. They normally have one that all the guests can use, usually split between men and women.”

“But this one is private?” Michael questioned.

“Yep.” Tony could tell his son was relieved. It was why he made sure the one they got was completely private. “Now, who wants to go exploring?”

——

“Alright, I gotta admit.” Stephen murmured into Tony’s ear as they gazed out the window, Mt. Fuji in the distance. “This is a nice morning view.” They both had their own hot drinks as they watched the scenery in front of them. The kids were still asleep, meaning the two got a little peace and quiet.

“It is isn’t it. I did good?”

“You always do good.” Stephen kissed him. “What’s the plan for today?”

“I was thinking we go see some of the bigger sights. The fox village, some of the temples…and then the aquarium.” He spoke quieter, just in case a certain someone was awake.

“She has no idea?”

“She has no idea.” Stephen chuckled. “Speaking of, we should probably get them up.”

——

“There’s so many foxes…” Mia looked around, seeing dozens upon dozens of foxes around them. None of them seemed to mind them as they walked, a few even seemed to creep forward in curiosity.

“There are. Don’t touch them baby.” Tony held her hand as they walked.

“We can’t pet them?”

“Not these ones no, but we can go over there to pet and hold some. Do you want to?” Stephen pointed to where there were cages and a small wooden building.

“Yes!” 5 different voices exclaimed, with not only the kids but Tony answering. Riven just nodded, watching a large fluffy black fox that was nearby. They seemed to be having a stare down.

“Let’s go!” Peter managed to get some great shots of Ana and Riven holding a fox, Michael having one rest against him and another one following Mia around as they walked to the feeding area. Tony was pretty sure he snuck some shots of him and Stephen but he wasn’t going to say. Occasionally Ana would take the camera so she could get shots with him in it as well, all and all a fantastic start of the day.

 

“Alright, who’s ready for some shrines?”

——

Several house later and Tony watched as his youngest bounced up and down absolutely giddy at the sight of the giant shark outside of the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium.

“I thought all her energy was gone after we left the village.” Michael laughed.

“Apparently her resting on Ana at the temples rejuvenated her.” Stephen smiled.

“Let’s be honest she would have this type of energy even if she was dead asleep.” Riven chuckled.

“Daddy, Papa come on!” Mia grabbed their hands. “We gotta go in!”

“I dunno Love, I don’t think Mia wants to go in.” Stephen hummed, looking to his fiancé.

“You’re right, we should just go ahead and go back to the inn.” Tony teased.

“Daaaaddyyyy Paaaaapaaaaa.” Mia whined, pouting a bit. “Can we please go in?? Please?”

“Well since you asked so nicely Love Bug…” To say they had an amazing time was an understatement. Once again Peter snapped pictures, and Ana once again took the camera so he could be in some of the shots. By the time they were done both Mia and Riven were exhausted.

“Let’s go back and get some rest. It’s about dinner time anyways.” Tony checked his phone.

“I think that’s a good idea…” Peter said, stifling a yawn.

“Let’s go then.” Stephen portaled them back to their room, and he and Tony both put Mia down for a small nap before dinner arrived.

“Think she liked it?” Tony grinned at the sorcerer.

“I think so.”

——

“I can’t believe our vacation is almost over.” Peter sighed. It was their last week in Japan. They had been back at the penthouse in Tokyo after a week at Mt. Fuji, and since then they had been going just about everywhere they could imagine in Japan. If it wasn’t for Stephen’s portals they’d be full of different toys and figures the kids found in Akihabara, and they went to so many different animal cafe’s that they had the ‘we can’t take one of them home’ conversation with Mia memorized word for word.

“I know. You’ll have a week before school starts.” Tony hummed.

“I’m so happy Friday was able to order everything I needed. Poor Ned had to go shopping with his Lola. She almost fainted seeing the prices of some books. Luckily his scholarship covered it but still.”

“I bet. Prices went up since I was in college.”

“Imagine medical books.” Stephen spoke up as he came into the living room where they were sitting. “If it wasn’t for scholarships I would’ve been in so much debt.”

“And how long did you have to go to school for your doctorate?” Peter questioned.

“Years.” Stephen groaned. “I’d rather not do that again. Ever.” He glanced around, checking to see where the others were. “Tickets ready?” He asked quietly.

“Yup.” Tony spoke just as quiet. “We’ll be heading out shortly. You got your camera all set up Pete?”

“Of course! When are we going?”

“In about an hour. Why don’t you go get your brother, Steph go get Mia and I’ll grab the twins.” They all agreed, and Tony made his way to their shared bedroom. He knocked first, before peeking in. “Tesoro’s?” Riven was asleep on the bed, while Ana was on her tablet next to him.

“Hey Dad. Everything ok?” Ana asked quietly, setting it down.

“We’re gonna be heading out in about an hour. He still worn out?”

“Well we did decide to go to three more cafe’s today.” She chuckled.

“I know. I almost agreed to the hedgehog.” For once Riven was fascinated by one of the animals at the cafe, which meant both Stephen and Tony had to give him and Mia the ‘we can’t take one home’ speech.

“Did you now?” Riven hummed as he stretched. Apparently he wasn't that asleep.

“Shh you didn’t hear that.” Tony said quickly.

“You sure?”

“Positive. Now get up and ready.”

“Where are we going?” Riven sat up, yawning.

“It’s a surprise.”

——

“What is this?” Riven blinked as he stared the the building before them.

“It’s the Nagoya City Science Museum Planetarium.” At the confused look Tony continued. “It’s the largest planetarium in the world.” Riven’s eyes lit up with immense interest, meaning Ana was right. Riven was fascinated with space.

“He’s been consuming more about the stars and planets lately. When I asked he said he never noticed how the night sky looked in my eyes. Now…he sees it, and wants to know more.” Was what Ana had told him about a month ago.

“Ready to go in?” Stephen asked, watching as Riven looked…eager for once.

“Yes!” Tony had timed it that by the time they were done exploring the museum a show would be ready to attend. They took their seats with Stephen was on one end with Tony on the other, Riven sitting closest to the inventor.

“This is so cool…” Michael said quietly, looking around.

“It is. I know we haven’t been to many planetariums but with this being the biggest…” Tony shrugged. “Figured we’d hit it while we’re in town.”

“You mean country.” Michael raised an eyebrow.

“I said what I said.” They quieted when the lights dimmed, and the show began. Tony barely paid attention to the scene above them. Instead he watched as his son, who watched in awe as the stars and galaxies moved around them. He reached over and took his claw, and felt him give him a gentle squeeze.

“Thank you…” Riven barely took his eyes off the lights above them.

“Of course Tesoro.”

Notes:

A while back I was looking up largest aquariums and Japan came up as one of them. Then I had looked up different science museums and planetariums and found the largest also being in Japan. SO...Japanese vacation it is!

Thank you guys again for the love and support, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I'll see you all next week!

Chapter 40: "Haven't I given enough?"

Notes:

AAAAAHH I'm sorry I'm late! I was going to post it this morning but family medical emergency happened, so I'm just now getting home to post. Thank you all for the love and support, I really appreciate it. Now...there are trigger warnings. (I know it's been nice and quiet...but we need a little bit more before we wrap up!)

Trigger warnings for:

Torture
Threats of unsafe medical procedures

Title - Gilded Lily by Cults

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“I’m sorry…I must be going deaf in my old age—”

“You said it not me.” Rhodey interrupted Tony.

“Shush Gumdrop I’m serious.”

“So am I.”

“Gentlemen.” Carol sighed, leaning back in her desk chair. The three of them where in her office. She looked to the genius. “You’re not going deaf. I did in fact say that Steve Rogers put in his resignation.”

“So he’s like…resigning from Shield? From the accords?”

“No. He’s resigning from Captain America.” Tony looked to Rhodey who stood next to him. He wasn’t smiling or laughing. They were serious.

“You’re serious.”

“Yes Tony, I’m serious. And the council approved it.”

“What?! So what happens now? I mean he’s not going to be locked up is he?”

“No. He’s going to be monitored, but he’s free to go as long as he checks in with us, and does not try to go vigilante on us.”

“So like a parole?”

“Sort of yeah.”

“So we just lost one heavy hitter.”

“Not necessarily. He named his successor.” Tony blinked, thinking.

“Not James. He already put in to resign the beginning of this year…”

“No it’s not James.” Rhodey sighed.

“Then who?”

“Sam.”

“Wilson?”

“Do you know another Sam?” Carol raised an eyebrow.

“I dunno, maybe. So he’s…gonna be the new Cap?”

“He’s still thinking about it. But I think he will be yes.”

“We’re not pumping him full of super solider serum right? Please tell me we’re not going to do that.”

“No! Absolutely not.” Carol quickly stated. “If he were to take up the mantle he’d be fully human.”

“…Why Sam?” Tony questioned. “I mean I have no problems with the guy, at all. But why did you pick him?”

“We didn’t.” Rhodey shrugged.

“Rogers did.”

——

“So Rogers wants Sam to be the new Captain America?” Stephen asked as they had dinner that night.

“Yeah. I thought he’d ask James but…”

“Uncle James doesn’t want to continue to fight.” Ana finished Tony’s train of thought, thinking about it. “He’s not going to get the same serum as Rogers is he?”

“No, no he did not want that at all.”

“So it’ll be through training.” Riven hummed, also thinking.

“Right. But Sam hasn’t said he’s gonna do it yet.”

“Think he will?” Michael asked, looking to his father.

“…I dunno. Maybe.”

“I think he should.” Mia commented, kicking her feet in her chair. “He’d be good at it.”

“Well if Mia says so…” Stephen chuckled. Tony paused, almost waiting for Peter to say something, but Peter wasn’t there. He was at college. It’d been a week since they dropped him off at his apartment, with Mia crying the whole time. She had calmed down once Peter promised to Face Time them every night, Mia especially. It had worked, but still Tony felt sad not having all his kids there.

“Yup!” The little girl giggled, causing Tony to focus back on dinner.

Later that evening once everyone in bed, Stephen and Tony were relaxing in the bath, candles and oils already out. It had become one of their favorite things to do at least once a week. More of course if needed. Stephen was carefully washing Tony’s hair, but his mind seemed to be elsewhere.

“Steph? You ok?”

“Hm?” Stephen blinked. “Oh, shit I’m sorry love. I’ve had a lot on my mind.” He sighed.

“Talk to me.”

“Remember how Ana and Riven went to the Kamar-Taj earlier this week?”

“Yeah…you said there were no issues…” Tony’s eyes narrowed. “Are they issues?”

“No, no one had an issue with them continuing their training…although I overheard some of the students upset that they wouldn’t be teaching for a while.”

“I remember they had been teaching before all this bs with Mephisto happened.”

“Yeah…and the way they taught helped so many.”

“The way they taught?” Tony turned in Stephen’s lap to look at him.

“Yes. They wouldn’t stick to the exact lesson plan. If someone was having issues, they’d pause and took time to make sure they understood the process, but they didn’t make the others feel like they were slowing down. Makes me wish I had them when I first learned the mystic arts.” He sighed. “While I’m thankful for Mordo, his methods were…annoying.”

“I’ve met Mordo so…that checks out.” Stephen chuckled as he rinsed Tony’s hair, the water never touching his face. “So what’s got you thinking in regards to all that?”

“Remember what Agatha said?”

“About different magic?” Stephen nodded. “I do…”

“Well the difference in teachings made me think of the difference in magic…and how there’s only really the Kamar-Taj. That I know of.”

“That you know of.” Tony agreed, getting out of the tub and grabbing his towel. He helped Stephen stand and began to dry him off.

“I was thinking of looking into if there are others…not even schools per se but places where magic can be taught.”

“Do you need help?” Tony carefully dried Stephen’s hair. “Friday and I can do some searches, get a map made up…”

“I’d like that. Thank you love.” He kissed his fiancé.

“What are you going to do if you can’t find any place else?” Stephen paused at the question.

“I dunno yet…once I do I’ll let you know.”

“You better.”

——

“Hey guys! Come on in!” Peter grinned as he opened the door to the apartment for his family. It had been a month since Peter started M.I.T and they tried to do family dinner every other weekend. “Where’s Pops?”

“Petey! He’s running behind on a meeting, but he’ll pop in soon. So…how’s school, how’s MJ tell me everything!” Tony hugged his oldest. The rest of Peter’s siblings came in, with Ana and Riven having bags of ingredients to make dinner.

“Dad you saw us last week. And I talked to you earlier today.” Peter laughed as Tony ruffled his hair. “MJ’s at her parents this weekend, Neds with his grandmother, both are good. Like they were earlier.”

“You know how he gets.” Michael snickered.

“I know.” Peter groaned playfully, grinning up at his dad. “You wanna see my new project?”

“Of course I want to see your new project who do you think you’re asking.”

“Hey is Harley coming?” Ana called out.

“He’s suppose to be here soon with dessert!” Peter called back.

“We’ll make more then!”

“So any new friends? I know you have of course Ned and MJ…”

“Actually yeah! Met this new girl in my physics class, Gwen. She’s pretty nice. And I have a new lab partner, Harry.”

“What about Ned?”

“Teacher split us up. He’s with this girl named Felicia. Funny enough all 4 of us are actually working together, course not letting the teacher know.”

“Of course.” Tony chuckled. It didn’t take long before Tony and Peter got lost talking science and things going on around M.I.T, before they heard someone else come into the apartment.

“Harley!” They heard Mia yell. When they entered the living room Harley was hanging Mia upside down, causing the little girl to screech with giggles.

“Hey old man! Hey Pete!” Harley put Mia down, going in for a hug.

“Hey Harley…where’s dessert?” Harley paused, before groaning.

“Dammit I forgot to pick it up!”

“Where is it?” Tony asked.

“Angelina Bakery. It’s only a few blocks from here, I’ll go get it.” Harley made to leave but Tony stopped him.

“I’ll grab it, you go visit the other heathens.”

“You sure?”

“Course. Not a big deal, what name is it under?”

“Mine. Should be two boxes.”

“Got it, be back in a few!” He texted Stephen to let him know he went out and to meet everyone at Peter’s apartment still. It didn’t take him long to find the dessert shop and go in to grab the take out. He shot a text to Harley letting him know he grabbed it, before making his way out onto the busy sidewalk.

“Excuse me? Mr. Stark?” Tony turned at hearing a woman’s voice, before his vision whitened out, pain shooting up his body as he blacked out.

——

First thing he noticed when waking up was that he was laying on a very cold metal surface. Second thing he noticed was that he no longer had his shirt and jacket, which made the metal even more obnoxiously chilling on his bare back. Third was there was something around his neck, and things stuck into his arms. He could also feel cuffs on his wrists, painfully keeping him in place. It took a few to finally have the energy to open his eyes, and even then his vision was blurred. He realized as he did so he was in what looked like an empty room, that was very run down…possibly in a warehouse which…typical.

“Ah, he’s awake.” A female voice spoke to the side of him. “Please stay still Mr. Stark, I’d hate for you to be in even more pain.” He looked to where the voice came from and saw a woman he did not recognize, typing on an ancient looking computer. He glanced down and saw that the things stuck in him were indeed IVs, both empty...for now.

“What the hell are you doing?” The woman ignored him, still typing. “Why am I here?” Still nothing. “You know if you don’t answer I’ll just continue to talk.”

“I’m aware.” She sighed, pulling off her large glasses so she could pinch the bridge of her nose. “What I’m doing, is taking something I want.”

“Yeah you’re gonna have to be more specific.” She glared at him, before putting her glasses back on.

“You have Extremis.” Tony paused, before narrowing his eyes. “And I want it.”

“That’s not something you should be messing with.”

“Says the man who has it in his body.”

“Not exactly by choice seeing as my chest was caved in.” He scoffed. “Why do you want it?”

“Because I feel that with that, and your nanite technology, I could bring even A.I.M back, and with it bring the world new bio elemental possibilities! But you, are selfishly keeping it.”

“…Wait you want this for A.I.M? You do know even with Extremis A.I.M is done for. Killian made sure of that after the human experiments came to light…not to mention the whole breathing fire, becoming a human bomb….you get the idea.”

“I can still run A.I.M without him. I have all of Maya’s notes and—”

“Wait you have her notes? Who the hell are you?”

“My name, is Rachel.” The curly haired woman glared once again at him. “I was her assistant. Before things got too…hectic and I was there when she and Killian started A.I.M. So….I can bring it back. I just need to use your body to do so.” Tony swallowed, feeling the metal collar on him press slightly on his neck in doing so. He closed his eyes and tried to focus on Extremis to activate, for his nanites to come out, only to find nothing happening. “That collar blocks it. Something Maya was working on once Killian began to test people and they started to…explode…I was worried it wouldn’t work but…apparently it does.” She let out a small high pitch giggle, making her sound out of her mind. Which Tony believed she was

“Yay.” Tony said sarcastically. He shift his wrist, and realized he didn’t feel his bracelet. At seeing him realize it was missing she let out another little giggle.

“I had your bracelet taken care of. Should keep your little witches and wizards preoccupied.”

“Oh yeah? How’d you do that?” He heard a door open nearby and turned towards the noise. There was a robbed figure who entered, before they pulled the hood down. Again it wasn’t someone he recognized, the bald man receiving a blank look from the inventor.

“Thanks to him.”

“…And you are?”

“Someone who wants revenge for what that damn Realmwalker did to my master!”

“You need to be specific he’s fucked up a lot of people…can you narrow it down?”

“Mordo! Mordo you damn fool!” The man seethed, before taking a calming breath.

“I’ve also set up traps in case they come.”

“Good. Now we can get to the good part.” The man left, giving him a malicious sneer.

“There’s a good part?!” The woman went back to typing on the computer, before she hooked up a what looked like a dialysis machine to the IVs. “Come on can’t we just talk about—” He was cut off as she turned on the machine and he felt something be pumped into him from the IV, causing him searing pain. It felt like lava was traveling through his veins and spreading to his muscles as it made it’s way through his body.

Again the woman went back to her computer, focusing on whatever code she was looking at. Whenever she typed up a new code new pain pushed into him, causing him to black out once or twice, not knowing how long he’d be out. At one point he woke up he found Rachel staring down at him, eyeing his arc reactor.

“The hell are you doing?” He croaked out.

“Debating on just cutting that out to get the main source of your nanites out.” As she tapped the reactor, Tony felt a sickening rush of panic so quick it made his vision blur for a second.

“D-Don’t…don’t you dare…”

“I’m hoping I don’t have to, I’m not exactly the best when it comes to operation. Never did well with that game.” She muttered before giggling, going back to the computer. Another few clicks and the pain started up again, seeming to get more and more intense as she typed.

“Almost…” Again she muttered to herself. Tony grit his teeth, trying not to pass out again as the pain continued to surge through him. Suddenly the building shuddered. Rachel tsked, before grabbing a walkie talkie. “What was that?”

“They’re here!” A familiar voice said, giddy. It was the robbed man that was in there before.

“Let the others know to be ready.”

“Of course!” She put the walkie talkie down, before looking to her watch.

“I’m surprised they found you so quickly. It’s close to the 24 hour mark.” Tony knew how. He could still feel his engagement ring, which Stephen had warded. Only Loki, Stephen and Tony knew. He wasn’t even sure if Ana and Riven knew, so of course this wacko who followed Mordo didn’t bother even giving it a second glance. Another shudder went through the building, before a loud screech was heard. “What was…what was that?” Rachel grabbed the walkie talkie again. “What was that?” She got nothing but static at first, before what crackled on was screams, some gunfire and the tell tale sound of Stephen’s magic.

“S-Should’ve just left me alone…” Tony ground out, groaning in pain.

“N-No…no…they’ll be stopped. He had traps and—” More static came through. “Hello? Status! Someone give me a status update dammit!”

“Y-you need to run.” It was the man again, and he sounded terrified. “Just leave Stark and run if you know what’s good for y—” He was cut off, and after a tense moment another voice came out.

“I’ll give you to the count of three.”

“No…I-I can’t give up…I can still get it…just have to speed up the process!” She turned for her computer and began typing quickly. The pain intensified again, causing Tony to scream.

“Two.” At seeing the program wasn’t working fast enough, Rachel let out a frustrated scream before grabbing nearby tools and looking to Tony, eyes wild.

“I’ll cut it out of you before they get here!”

“Three.” Just then the door burst off its hinges, causing Rachel to knock back into the dialysis machine. The pain became too much for Tony, and he started to black out again…but not before hearing Stephen’s magic and seeing his twins ribbons.

——

When Tony began to come to, he knew Extremis was working. He could feel how it was healing the internal damage that damn woman caused by pumping him with whatever toxin that was. He could also tell he was not in his soft warm bed, which meant he was probably in the hospital wing. The beeping from the heart monitor was also a tell tale sign. As he blinked awake, he found he was right. He was in the hospital wing, the lights dimmed thankfully. He felt someone holding his hand, and glanced over to see that Stephen was slumped down in the chair next to his bed, gripping his hand like a lifeline. Cloak was wrapped around him as a blanket, and he could see bags under his eyes. He gave Stephen’s hand a gentle squeeze, which was enough to startle Stephen awake.

“Anthony…” Stephen reached up and cupped Tony’s face, and he could see tears shining in his eyes.

“Hey Doc.” Tony cleared his throat after that weak attempt of speaking. Before he could try again, Stephen placed a finger on his lips to hush him.

“Your vocal cords are slightly damaged. Friday can you let Rhodey and Loki know he’s awake?”

“Already did. Loki is bringing tea now.” Friday spoke softly. Tony looked to Stephen taking the hand that was at his lips and pressing a kiss on the palm.

“You gave us one hell of a scare…” Stephen pressed a kiss to Tony’s forehead as the door opened, with Rhodey and Loki entering.

“Here, Anthony…” Loki handed a mug over. It smelled like mint with a touch of menthol, which made Tony scrunch his nose. “I added plenty of honey to sweeten it.” At that he took a tentative sip, humming at the taste, before drinking more.

“That’s actually good.” His voice was much better. “What happened?”

“Do you mean during your abduction or after?” Rhodey asked. At the annoyed look he got he continued, holding out the tablet he had in his hands. On it was the woman who had him strapped in, albeit looking less manic. “Rachel Martinez. She was a minor assistant to Maya Hansen back in 2001. Was fired in 2010, although it doesn’t say why.”

“Cause she’s nuts.” Tony hummed as he sipped the tea.

“Probably. She somehow got in contact with…” Friday switched the picture, to a bald man that looked very familiar.

“Lucas Thatcher. He was a student of Mordo’s, but left after the Ancient One passed.” Stephen continued. “I don’t know how they found each other, but they did. And they wanted to take you out.” He sighed. “He altered the bracelet, making it hard to pinpoint you, while the ring was still on you the barriers he put up didn’t exactly make it easier.” Stephen looked down. “I’m sorry we weren’t able to get to you sooner.”

“Hey don’t blame yourself…” Tony reached out and cupped Stephen’s cheek, making him look into his eyes. “You came for me. That’s all that matters to me.” The sorcerer nodded, giving him a weak smile. “So what happened to the two?” Stephen and Rhodey shared uneasy glances, while Loki shrugged.

“The sorcerer was beheaded.”

“…Ana?”

“Nope. Riven.”

“Ah…that's normally her MO. And the quack with the machine?”

“That was both of them. She’s alive…” Loki hummed.

“If you can call it that.” Rhodey scoffed. “Ana cut her hands off…and when the machine she had you hooked up to wouldn’t stop Riven…took her knowledge…” He shuddered.

“More like tore it out of her.” Stephen muttered. “She’s not…ok after that. I dunno if it’s from the sudden lose of her hands or the claws going through her mind but she’s currently being treated in another facility…heavily sedated.” Tony hummed in acknowledgment before finishing the tea.

“Where’re the kids? Hell where’s Ana and Riven?”

“Wong has Ana and Riven…since Riven killed a sorcerer.”

“They're not in trouble are they?!”

“No, nothing like that…although Riven did throw Lucas’s head across the yard towards one of the masters…but no they’re just reviewing what happened. They should be here soon, especially since they used magic. And the kids are upstairs…we wanted to wait till you woke up before you were bombarded.”

“Well I’m awake…so bring em on.” When the door opened a little bit later, Tony was truly bombarded with Michael, Peter, Harley, and Mia. It took them a few minutes to calm Mia down the most, but soon she was content curled up in his lap, sucking her thumb, and old tell of her anxiety. It had been a while since he’d seen that.

“You really scared us there old man…” Harley said, giving Tony a weak grin.

“Scared me too.” He sighed. “I’m starting to get too old for this…”

“Uncle Rhodey wouldn’t give us all the details…what happened?”

“Just the usual…someone wanting something from me…” Tony brushed it off but…he really was getting tired of this. A few minutes later the doors opened again and Ana and Riven rushed in, instantly going to Tony’s side. “Hey, I hear I have you two to thank—oof!” He was practically squished in between the twins, each checking him over and hugging him at the same time. “Easy, easy…I’m injured.” He teased.

“You have no idea how bad you were…” Riven pulled back, looking anxious. “If I hadn’t taken that…woman's…” He spat out the word. “Knowledge, you would have died…Extremis wasn’t working, she had tried to damage the arc reactor…I had to reboot it so it could start to work to heal you…” Tony swallowed painfully, as his words sank in. He really was lucky.

“You’re not allowed to go out for desserts.” Ana said after a tense moment, causing most in the room to chuckle. Tony watched as his kids argued about what ways they could keep Tony safe, so it wouldn’t happen again. He started to doze off, the sounds of his family lulling him to sleep.

When he woke up again, he noticed that almost everyone had gone back upstairs. Tony looked down and saw that on each side of him was the twins, Riven holding his left hand, Ana holding his right.

“Friday, time.” He spoke quietly.

“It’s currently 8PM…you’ve been asleep for 10 hours.” A pause. “The others are upstairs. Do you want me to let them know you’re awake?”

“Na…but can you have Carol and Rhodey come down?”

“Of course Boss.” It didn’t take long for them to come, meanwhile Riven and Ana were still out cold. He noticed they were a bit paler when they entered earlier, which meant they probably used more magic than they should have. Carol spoke up first.

“Friday said you were up. How’re you feeling?”

“Drained. Really drained. And…tired of this.”

“Of what?” Rhodey asked, but by the look on his face he knew where this conversation was going. “You know this wasn’t something you could have predicted…”

“Couldn’t I? This time they wanted Extremis…what about the next time? Hell look at the times before this. What about when I’m out on a mission? I’ve been known to be put in far more dangerous situations than I should be…and kidnapped a few times.”

“It wasn’t ever a concern before.” Carol said. She wasn’t judging him, just stating a fact that yes, it never bothered him before. But it was different now.

“This…made me realize I can’t keep doing this.” He looked down to the twins.

“Oh Tones…” Rhodey sighed.

“I thought I’d always be Iron Man. Always be ‘Tony Stark: Genius, Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist’. But…that was before Ana. And Peter…and Stephen and Michael and Mia…and Riven…” He looked to his best friend before looking to his leader. “I’m tired…of putting myself on the line. I can’t keep doing this…knowing if something happens to me it’ll break their hearts. I think…” He took a deep breath before continuing “…I think its time for me to resign.”

Notes:

I always wanted Sam to continue as Cap...because I know he'll be amazing. And now Tony wants to retire?! Wonder who he's gonna tag in for him ;)

Thank you all again, I will see you next week (Hopefully the weekend!)

Chapter 41: "Teenagers scare the living shit out of me"

Notes:

Hey everyone! I'm so sorry I went radio silent for a bit, I had some health issues that made it impossible to write under, and then family health issues...it's been a mess. But I'm ok, everything is stable, and as such I wanted to give you guys a bigger chapter to make up for not having one last week.

Now. A character is being introduced in this chapter, and while I don't mind her MCU introduction I feel that moving with the comic books was better (Considering you know...Tony's alive.) I had to search and reread her introduction and her comics to hopefully be as accurate as I can be.

That being said, enjoy!

Title - Teenagers by My Chemical Romance

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“So you’re done? Packing up the armor?” Pepper asked, sitting across from Tony. He had just got done with the council, and he was exhausted.

“Yeah, I’m done.” He sighed. They were meeting in Pepper’s office, seeing as he wanted to talk to her after the council.

“How’d Stephen and the kids take it?” Tony closed his eyes, remembering the concerned looks everyone gave him when they talked.

“They were surprised. While Stephen is happy I’ll be out of harms way he knows I love doing this…but…seeing Mia’s panicked face…Riven scared and even Harley looked like he was gonna cry…I can’t keep doing this.” There was a pause, before Pepper spoke up again.

“How’d the council take it?”

“Not well. We’re already losing Cap—”

“Wait Rogers is gone?”

“Retiring, so to speak.” Tony shrugged. “Sam’s taking his spot.”

“They’e not going to—”

“No! No more super soliders!” He found it funny that everyone first thought they would do such a thing. “Just a shit ton of training. I almost feel sorry for him.”

“Almost?” Pepper asked, amused.

“Hey he wanted to do it, didn’t have to say yes.”

“And what about you?”

“Hm?”

“Do you have a replacement?” Tony groaned, letting his head fall back on the chair.

“I told the council I’d find someone…but so far I only have Harley, and I want him to finish school before we even get him suited.”

“Would he use one of your suits?”

“Not exactly, I mad a special one for him.” He pulled out his phone and let Friday pull up the schematics for Mark LXXXV. “I’ve actually had this for him for a while…always upgrading it as time went on.”

“Rescue?” Pepper saw the name of the file as she looked through everything.

“Well he did rescue me all those years ago…” Tony said fondly, remembering how Harley helped him while he was dealing with not only his PTSD but Killian’s exploding soliders.

“It’s not as advanced as yours.” Pepper pointed out.

“Yeah…Harley’s a bright kid, but it’d be impossible for him to handle the data my armors go through. It’s higher than Rhodey’s suit though.” She smiled at hearing that, before settling back into her own chair.

“So this is what makes you finally leave the suit.” Tony flinched, looking into the eyes of one of his closest friends…who was once lover. His heart twisted, remembering how he always chose Iron Man over her. He swallowed hard before speaking.

“Pep…” She held up a hand, giving him a reassuring smile.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said it like that…” She took a breath. “Tony. I’m glad. If you had stopped for me, you wouldn’t have met Stephen. Or your wonderful children. And honestly? Happy makes me happy.”

“Really?” She nodded. “I’m glad. I still feel guilty you know—“

“You shouldn’t. I was selfish expecting you to drop being Iron Man…saving people…but like I said, and I’ll reiterate till you have it in your thick skull….I’m glad we broke up.” Tony smiled, nodding.

“I love you Pep.”

“I love you too Tony.” There was a slightly awkward pause, before Tony cleared his throat.

“Ok, mushy stuff over—”

“And there it is.” Pepper sighed teasingly.

“—Now I gotta find another replacement.”

“Yes because you need someone on at least Harley’s level of genius to help. I’m sure there are countless genius’s to choose from.” The CEO said sarcastically.

“Hey you never know!”

——

“You know, when I told you all I’d be available until I found a replacement I didn’t think you’d somehow find different ways to need me.” Tony grumbled, flying next to Rhodey. It was a few weeks later and while Tony started searching for someone who he may trust to pilot their own suit, there seemed to be all kinds of situations where Tony was needed, either with his suit or his genius.

“Yeah we weren’t expecting delegations to New Asgard to cause such a ruckus.” They were currently chasing a ship that had strayed from the representatives that had landed at New Asgard. “According to Loki the young prince wanted to ‘see the spinning mud ball in all it’s glory.’ ”

“Why does every alien act like Earth is their little plaything and then insult us?”

“I mean…technically he’s not wrong. We are a spinning mud ball in space.”

“The fact that you agree shows how little faith you have for Earth.”

“Gentlemen, can we focus?” Carol came onto the coms. “Lead him to me.”

“Where exactly—” Friday pulled up where Carol was waiting near water, away from buildings and civilians. It looks like they had evacuated the area just for this. “Alright, let’s go hunny bunches.” With Rhodey still behind the craft, Tony sped up to try and get to the ships side, causing said prince to turn away from him, herding him to Carol. Once he was in range Carol stopped the ship easily with…just a hand. The ship’s front was crunched, but it finally stopped.

“Is Loki around?” Rhodey asked.

“He’s over on the sidewalk with the leader of the delegation.” Carol dragged the ship to land in the water.

“Oooh someone looks pissed.”

“Who, Loki or the green guy?” Rhodey looked over.

“The green guy.” He didn’t even know what species that was but he was pretty sure they shouldn’t have their face scrunched up, flushed dark with anger.

“That’d be his father.”

“Oooh daddy’s maaaaad.” Tony singsonged.

“Tony can you be a little professional?” Carol asked, but he could see her trying to stop the smile forming on her face.

“Do you even know me?”

“He’s got a point love.” Rhodey chuckled. “I think we got it from here. Go ahead and head home.”

“Absolutely. By Carol. By gumdrop!” Tony took the chance to leave as quickly as possible. “Friday call Stephen.” He waited until he was connected. “Hey sweetheart.”

“Hey love. How’d it go? You ok?” Each time he got suited Stephen looked nervous. Thanks to him and Wong Tony’s ring was triple protected, and they got him a new bracelet that if someone else tried to take off that wasn’t family it’d send them a nasty shock. Still, he knew his sorcerer worried.

“I’m fine, Carol and Rhodey are dealing with the runaway prince now. Said I can head home. How’re things on your end?”

“I’m checking over the sanctums seals. Currently at Hong Kong sanctum, but I should be done soon.”

“Is Ana and Riven with you?”

“Ana is, Riven’s helping Wong in London. While I know they were concerned about the two of them splitting I think they are now really happy.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah, they can be in two different places. Means things get done quicker.”

“And they’re not showing any fatigue? Riven’s ok?” While he still had to drink that horrid elixir made by Wong and Lady Eir, his energy and magic improved greatly. They both were able to do most of their spells, but anything big or using it for a longer period of time still wore them both out. This was the first time they were separate and helping with wards.

“Wong’s updating me frequently, and Ana’s fine over here.”

“Ok good.” Tony sighed in relief. He finally arrived back at the compound. “You know to help her if she—”

“If she or he tires out. I know love.” He could hear the eye roll as he made his way to the lab, suit retracting. Friday easily switched the call to his bluetooth so there was no loss of connection.

“You know I worry.”

“I know. Just like we worry about you.” He smiled. “See you at home?”

“Yup, I’m thinking of doing takeout since Ana’s been out in the field today.”

“I think she’ll like that. Any update on finding someone?”

“No not yet.” Tony waved a hand and multiple screens appeared, all running different searches and scans to see if they could find someone even remotely possible. “I may have to wait on retiring until Harley graduates.”

“Yes, but I know you don’t want that. Pretty sure you told me that once the house is finished and the honey moon is over you want to be ‘done’.”

“And I do, but sometimes it doesn’t work that way…” Friday beeped, alerting him that Peter was calling him. “I’ll talk to you when I get home, Pete’s calling.”

“Alright, love you.”

“Love you too.” He heard the click of the line switching. “Pete what’s—”

“Have you seen the footage?!” Tony blinked.

“What footage?”

“I figured you already saw it, Dad a suit just flew out of the campus.” The inventor paused.

“I’m sorry…a suit?”

“Yes! I didn’t see it personally but Harley sent me video, and it’s trending right now on twitter! It looks like a bulkier version of one of yours.” Friday instantly pulled up what Peter was talking about. He watches as a large grey suit that looked somewhat like his own took off from the campus, albeit not as steady as his own first flight.

“Friday track it, Peter what do you know?”

“Hold on Harley’s here—” He heard the phone being shuffled before the Tennessee teen spoke up.

“It came from the dorms! From what I’ve been hearing there was some girl who they kept having noise complaints with, and they found she was stealing shit.”

“What shit?” Tony asked as started to follow the suits path.

“Shit from the robotics lab.” Tony whistled low. “Her name is—”

“Riri Williams.” Friday interrupted. She had been pulling data as soon as Harley described what happened. “She’s 15—”

“She's 15?!” All three of them yelled.

“She’s 15.” Friday confirmed. “Her scores are impressive…when she goes to class.” It sounded very familiar.

“Where is she?” Tony left the lab to head out with his suit.

“Currently she’s in New Mexico.” Friday said amused.

"She managed to get to New Mexico in-" Tony looked at the time. "An hour?"

“Wait why is she in New Mexico?!” Harley asked on the phone.

“Stopping a prison break.”

“…Look at that, already acting like a hero.”

——

“Boss you may want to turn around.” Friday spoke up as he flew to New Mexico. He had long gotten off the phone with his boys, wanting them to focus on their school day.

“Why? What happened?”

“Riri Williams haș left New Mexico. Albeit in less armor than she appeared.” Tony slowed down in his suit, concerned.

“She ok? She stable?”

“From what I can see from various street cameras as she flew past, she looks fine. Looks like a few bits had fallen off, so she’s not as high of altitude as she was getting to New Mexico.”

“Any idea on where she’s heading?”

“Tracking now, for now turn back towards New York.”

“But I just got to Oklahoma…” Tony sighed, turning around. A few minutes later Friday pulled up directions for Chicago. “She’s headed to Chicago?”

“It looks like she’s heading home.” Friday pulled up details about Riri’s family.

“Let’s see…mom…dad passed away…shit.” Tony winced at reading that her father had died soon after she was born, while her stepfather passed more recently. Both were shot. “Looks like she has—had—a best friend.” Social media showed all kinds of shots of the two girls, before an article showed the same incident that cost her her stepfathers life cost her her best friend. “Christ. That’s…”

“It looks like since then she’s been researching.”

“Researching?”

“Your armors.”

“Well how bout that…” He chuckled. Friday finally got them to a quiet suburb, and he landed a little ways from the house Friday marked as the Williams residence. He let his suit retract as he pulled out his glasses, slipping them on as he walked up to the open garage. He could hear two women talk.

“Explain it to me.” He knew that tone. That was a mom tone.

“There’s nothing to explain mom.” And there was the teenager tone.

“Riri.”

“There’s nothing—”

“You are a genius.”

“I don’t like labels Ma.”

“You were tested. You are a genius. And M.I.T. gave you a free ticket.”

“I know—”

“And I just got off the phone with the dean of said free ticket demanding to know where their missing property is.”

“…M.I.T called?”

“Oh yes. And then there’s the footage—”

“Wait there’s footage?!” She sounded excited. Tony smiled to himself at hearing that as he got closer to the garage.

“That’s what your excited about? Riri they’re talking about pressing charges. Just what—”

“Don’t look!” As Tony peered into the open garage he found what had to be the 15 year old genius Riri Williams and Mrs. Williams standing in front of something bulky being shielded by a red tarp.

“Show me.”

“Show her.” He felt bad making the two jump, but he wanted to see what was underneath it too. “Show both of us.”

“Holy shit.” Riri breathed, eyes wide at seeing the genius inventor in front of her.

“Excuse me, who are you—” Riri’s mother shifted to shield her daughter from him.

“Mom shush!”

“You can’t just—”

“Mom!” He could see the teenager was embarrassed by her protective mother, but he understood. He understood that way too well nowadays.

“Hi, I’m Tony Stark.” He held out his hand to shake.

“Oh. My god.”

“Oh my god.” Both mother and daughter stared in shock, her mother finally taking his hand to shake.

“Let me see it.” Tony grinned at the girl.

“It—It’s not ready.”

“Considering you flew from Massachusetts to New Mexico then to Chicago…it’s ready enough for me.” Riri visibly swallowed. “Show me.” She stepped back and pulled the tarp back. “Well look at that.” He whistled.

“I reverse engineered your mark 41 design.” Tony thought back for a moment on which one that was.

“You put your own spin on it.” Friday was already scanning the suit in front of him.

“Tried to.”

“…Are you sure you’re 15?” Riri looked over to him.

“How do you know that?”

“Cause I looked you up after getting a call from my son.” He could see from the corner of his eye mother and daughter gave each other a look.

“You’re son?” Mrs. Williams spoke up.

“Yeah. Peter. Peter Parker. Actually he heard from my not legally adopted but practically adopted son Harley cause he saw the suit leave the dorm.”

“From the dorm?!” Riri’s mother glared at her daughter.

“They weren’t going to let me use the robotics lab like I needed!”

“No, they would’t. They learned after my shenanigans.”

“What did you do?” Mrs. Williams asked questioned.

“Created my first A.I. At 4 in the morning.” He decided not to tell them of the drugs and alcohol that was in his system at the time, but from the look Riri gave him he knew she heard the stories. “So!” He cleared this throat. “Shall we talk inside?”

“Talk?” The older woman crossed her arms.

“I was thinking sitting down and discussing what’s next and depending how that goes…maybe having dinner.”

“Dinner?”

“Why not?” It was once they sat down at the dining room table that Riri spoke up.

“I’m not going to stop doing this.” She blurted out.

“Riri!” Her mother scolded.

“What? Now that I know I can make a suit and fly I’m gonna keep going! I need to keep going.” She sounded determined.

“But what about college?” Her mother asked worried.

“I don’t think it’s working out for me.” She looked down.

“But—”

“If I may…” Tony spoke up, causing both to look to him. “I think your mother’s concerns are valid. And I think you should give M.I.T a shot again. Graduate.”

“See? Even Mr. Stark thinks going back to school is important!” Mrs. Williams looked happy to have backup. Before the teen could say anything Tony spoke up again.

“But. With all due respect I also agree with Riri.” He winced at the glare he received. “She’s created something amazing, and I think she has the potential to use it.”

“So what, you want her to join the Avengers? Give up on going to college?”

"Ma he just said he thinks I should graduate.” Riri sighed.

“As far as joining the Avengers.” Tony cleared his throat. “That’s up to her. What does she want to do?”

“Really? You’re asking her?” He knew that tone and look very well. It was the tone and look he used when trying to protect his own kids. He looked to his hands clasped in front of him on the table.

“No offense but I’m pretty sure if you and I both try to stop her it will be in vain. She’s going to keep going, keep building keep trying to be a hero, even if you don’t want her to.” He spoke wistfully, remembering having a conversation with not only Peter but Ana and Riven. He blinked, looking up at the two sitting at the table.

“You speak from experience.” Mrs. Williams realized.

“Yeah. I do.”

“…It doesn’t get easier, does it?”

“No. But what we can do is make it safe. Make her…safe.” He looked to Riri. “I’ll be honest, I’m here on less then selfless reasons.” He took a breath before continuing. “I’m going to be retiring soon.”

“You can’t!” Riri jumped up. “The world needs Iron Man!” She slammed her hands on the table.

“Riri!” Her mother hissed, shocked at her daughters outburst.

“You’re right. The world needs an Iron Man. But they don’t need Tony Stark.” At the confused looks, Tony went on. “I already have one other who will be taking my place when I step down, but I worry about him…he’s filling pretty big shoes.” He chuckled, before looking to the young girl across from him. “But then I saw you. I saw what you created, by yourself. No AI, no special lab…just blood sweat and tears. And I realized, if I had you…I’d feel so much better about stepping down.”

“She’s just a kid…” Mrs. Williams spoke up after a moment.

“She is. Meaning if you both agreed, she’d be treated like any of the other minors of the Avengers.”

“You have other minors?” The mom did not look impressed.

“I’m sure you’ve seen my daughter. And now my son.”

“Yeah, Ana! What was she called?” Riri snapped her fingers.

“Voracity. She underwent training, and if there was any situation where she was needed she was evac only. She was never meant to go near the danger. The same would apply for Riri.” He turned his full attention to the single mother. “She’d not only get top of the line tech to make a safer suit, but training. Proper training." He let that sink in for a moment. "Now. I know you’re worried about her education.” At the short nod he continued. “She’d have to continue her education. Get good grades, stop stealing from the robotics lab—” He got a huff of laughter from her. He’d consider it a good sign. “—and still take care of herself. Us geniuses have a hard time taking care of ourselves.”

“Oh I know.” Mrs. Williams sighed. “…And she’d be safe?”

“Safer than if she kept trying to build it herself.”

“He’s got a point Mom.” Riri shrugged after a beat. They watched the older woman think, before she sighed.

“I want to see everything. No leaving me out, whether it’s training or building. And you better keep your grades up! Nothing under a B!”

“Have I ever gotten under an A?” Mrs. Willaims expressed softened.

“Yes. You did.” Riri seemed to understand what she was implying.

“‘M not gonna get anything lower than a B. I promise.” She muttered. That seemed to satisfy her mom.

“Ok.”

“Ok?” Riri turned to her mom, hopeful.

“Ok.” She was hugged tightly by her daughter, laughing.

“Great! You can come this weekend to visit the compound.” Tony smiled. “Now…how about dinner? My treat.”

“That sounds nice.”

“Mind if my family joins us?”

“No! I want to meet Ana—and her twin? How is that possible?” Riri questioned, excited.

“Magic.”

“That’s bullshit.”

“Riri!”

“What? I believe in science, not magic.” Tony just laughed.

“Oh man, Stephen and the twins will have a blast with you.”

——

“So how did you make the suit? Was it hard?”

“How did you sneak all of that out to your dorm?”

“How were you able to reverse engineer one of the suits? Like that isn’t easy tech to find.” Michael, Harley and Peter were rapid firing questions at Riri, all three excited at talking to another science nerd.

“Guys, chill, you’re gonna scare her away!” Tony laughed. He had reserved the back of an asian restaurant so they had privacy, with two tables put together for their large group.

“I doubt that.” Riven chuckled. “But I’m also curious how you obtained that knowledge.”

“I found it online.” Riri said, shrugging. Tony zeroed in on her.

“Online?” He asked.

“…Promise you won’t get mad?” At the nod Riri sighed. “I found it on a forum. Someone managed to snag one of the bots from Sokovia.” Tony tensed. “I dunno if they still have it but they had close ups and more detailed shots of the suit so I was able to work from that.” There was an uneasy silence before Riven spoke up.

“Think anyone else grabbed the bots?”

“I don’t know, whoever it was had the pictures and video up for a bit before it was gone. They haven't posted since then.” Riri shrugged. “I can give you the site.” Once she gave it, Tony pulled out his phone.

“Friday.” Tony spoke quietly.

“Already searching boss.” He heard from his phone. Stephen reached out and touched Tony’s shoulder.

“Good girl.”

“So, when will we expect Riri in the lab?” Riven asked as he helped Mia with her rice.

“Possibly this weekend, after I talk to M.I.T.” Tony answered. “We'll be giving Riri and Mrs. Williams a bit of a tour, maybe get her started in building if that's ok.”

“I told you to call me Ronnie Mr. Stark.”

“Then you can call me Tony.” He got a sigh from her before she nodded.

“Tony. That shouldn’t be a problem. Honestly I’m curious to see how you’re going to help her make a suit.”

“Oh it’s gonna be amazing.” He grinned, looking to Riri. “You’ll barely need my help though, right kid?” Riri smiled at him, her eyes bright with excitement.

“Right!”

Notes:

I wish we could have Riri from the MCU meet Tony, but sadly that is not the case.

And I felt like both Harley and Riri filling Tony's role would be so much better, of course giving Harley the Rescue armor. :D

We're getting there, I should be able to post regularly again, but if I'm a day or so late don't panic.

See you all soon!

Chapter 42: "All of your flaws and all of my flaws, are laid out one by one. Look at the wonderful mess that we made, we pick ourselves undone"

Notes:

I'm starting to sense any time I go "Hey I should start writing or editing" the universe goes "Na bitch have some more chaos!" -_- I'm sorry it's being posted later than expected, luckily we are super close to the end. As always thank you so much for reading, I appreciate all the love and the support I get from this crazy story.

Also the dialogue with Riri in this was word for word from the comics when she first became Ironheart.

 

Title - Flaws by Bastille

Also, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a Spotify playlist with all the songs from the chapters? >_> If not that's fine but if so...I'll make it.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Riri I swear to Tesla if you don’t pull back on the thrusters I’m gonna rat you out to your mother!” Tony warned, watching as Riri flew around the large training gym. She was in a newer model of the armor she had made before, looking much sleeker and advanced than the one she previously created.

“Don’t you dare! We only just got her to back off!” Riri said on the coms. It took some time between talking with Tony and talking to Carol and Rhodey that Ronnie felt comfortable with Riri being there. Now she came occasionally to oversee anything involved in the suit. They had actually put a separate lab for her and Harley to work on their suits, so that when Ronnie or someone else was around they wouldn’t be privy to his personal lab.

“For now. You should hope you got that A you were pushing for in History.” Riven was on standby if anything technical went wrong so that he could help. They already had one slip up with one of Harley’s thrusters to shortening out nearly causing him to crash into the wall. Luckily Riven’s ribbons caught him before it was a disaster. Since then they’ve been triple checking over the thrusters and making sure everything was synched properly.

“With your help I should have it in the bag.” Riri was not the best when it came to History, but it was a credit that needed to be knocked out before she could fill her schedule with the classes she truly desired. Riven chuckled, watching her fly, changing altitude occasionally to make sure it was functioning.

“How’re her readings?” The Realmwaker leaned over to read over his father’s shoulder. The Starkpad was synched to the suit to monitor everything.

“Good. She’s getting better. At this rate by the new year I’ll feel comfortable having her patrol like Pete does.”

“Wait really?!” Riri said excited at the idea. Once they were confident that Ronnie and Riri both wouldn’t say anything, Peter told them who he was. Ronnie then understood why Tony was so adamant about safety when it came to her daughter…because he had his own stubborn son to keep an eye on.

“Maybe. Still waiting on a name ‘Iron Maiden’.”

“I am not calling myself that!” At first she thought it sounded amazing, until she found out it was also a band. “I am not gonna be named after some crusty old metal band.”

“Hey!”

“Watch it!” Both Riven and Tony objected.

“Sorry not sorry!” Riri teased.

“Well you can’t call yourself Iron Man. Hell even Harley’s using Rescue. So…what about you?”

“Ugh. Can I get back to you on that?” Tony chuckled.

“May wanna hurry, especially if we want to introduce you before my wedding.” Now that everything had finally, finally settled down, Tony gave Allen and Pepper the go ahead to get everything in motion for a spring wedding.

“That’s still a few months away!” Riri said, kicking up her speed.

“Don’t remind me! Christ there’s so much to do.” Next week they had to review and finalize the venue, then afterwards they had cake testing appointment. Wong Loki and Stephen wanted to check said venue out so they can make sure that any unwanted guests could not crash it, and Pepper was still vetting photographers.

“Have you double checked the guest list yet?” And there was that too.

“Nooo.” Tony groaned. His attention snapped back to the tablet in his hand as he heard it beep, alerting him that something was off. “Kid you need to slow down!” He watched as Riri continued to speed up.

“I-I can’t! It’s not letting me!” She panicked.

“Friday shut the suit down! Riven, can you catch her?!” The thrusters shut off, but Riri was still flying forward thanks to the speed she had been traveling. Riven stepped forward, stretching his arms out and twisting his hands as if he was gripping something before pulling his arms closer, and Tony watched as ribbons appeared and shifted together to create a large net that stopped Riri from slamming head first into the wall. “You ok kid?!” Tony rushed towards where the net slowly let Riri down. He started to check her over, making sure she took off the helmet and making sure she wasn’t hurt.

“I’m fine Tony. Little lightheaded but fine.” She gave a weak chuckle. “Is this what Peter and you guys deal with?” Riri joked at Riven.

“Yes. And it doesn’t get better.”

“Hey! Don’t pick on me I worry.”

“You’re going to get gray hairs again.”

“Again? Don’t tell me you rogain?” Riri teased as they made their way out of the gym and to the lab.

“Uh no, I have something much better. And much riskier.”

“Wouldn’t recommend it.” Riven agreed.

“What is it?”

“Something that will never be on the market kid. Now, go ahead and get the suit on the table so we can see what happened while you change.” He had their lab set up with a shower and changing room so they didn’t have to go far. While he waited for the teenage genius he looked over the readings from when the glitch occurred.

“We should have never mentioned Iron Maiden was band.” Riven said as he watched over different readings.

“Why so she could be stuck with the name?” He heard the doors of the lab open, and looked to see Michael and Mia.

“Who’d be stuck with what name?” Michael questioned, pulling up a stool. Riven picked Mia up easily and had her in his lap as he continued reviewing.

“Riri. She was gonna go with Iron Maiden but then it was pointed out it’s a metal band so…”

“Oh yeah it’s one of your oldie bands.”

“Oldie?!” Tony squawked.

“Hey, don’t judge our music taste.” Riven grumbled.

“I like Iron Maiden! But it’s not right for Riri.” Mia giggled, looking at the armor.

“No you’re right. She’s just having a hard time figuring it out.” Tony sighed. “Where’s your sister?”

“She’s with Pops. They’re visiting another ‘school’.” Stephen and Ana had been trying to find a legit school that taught anything magical, and so far the results weren’t the best.

“Wonder if they’ll finally have a break.” He sighed. Riri came out shortly after, and they began to look over what happened. Michael managed to keep up with most of their conversation, while Mia sat on Riven’s lap with her own tablet.

“I’ve been meaning to ask…why did you want to do this Riri?” Michael spoke up suddenly. “I mean I know why dad started but…what about you?” Riri paused, before looking down at the armor on the table. For the few weeks she had started to come around she hadn’t really said anything about it, and always changed the subject but now…it looked like she wanted to talk.

“I want…I want to be able to make a difference. I want to be able to help people.”

“Many people would try to be a doctor, or police officer…but you wanted to be Iron Man?” Riven titled his head.

“Doctors and police officers…can’t do as much as someone like Iron Man.” Tony listened before speaking up.

“Is this about Natalie?” Riri’s head shot up to stare at the inventor. “About your stepfather? And the drive by?” Riri bit her lip before speaking quietly.

“It shouldn’t have been them.”

“It was a random—”

“DON’T!” Riri snapped, causing Michael to jump, Riven to stop, and Mia put her tablet down. “Don’t say it was random. I hate that it was called that.”

“Called what?”

“Random gun violence. It wasn’t.”

“Wasn’t it? The report said—”

“The phrase is sickening. It’s not random. A guy pointed a gun and shot a bullet. The only possible result of that action. It’s the opposite of random.” There was a pause, before Tony spoke softly.

“I think the phrase refers to the randomness of the result.” He watched the look of anger and hurt on the girls face, before it hit him. “You think it should have been you?” Riri tensed, before speaking harshly.

“It should’ve been anybody!” She took a sharp breath, tears starting to form. “We were at a picnic! And my stepdad…Nat…I mean we were at a picnic! And both of them get shot right in the heart! Right in the heart!” She tapped on her chest to emphasize her frustration.

“…And so you built armor.” Riven said after a few tense moments. Riri nodded, sniffling a bit. Mia climbed down from Riven’s lap and made her way over to the genius. Riri looked down to the little girl, and blinked when Mia held her arms out for a hug. After a moment she knelt down, and hugged her. Tony tensed, worried her emotions would overwhelm his youngest but instead he watched as Riri seem to sag with relief as she held Mia tightly. After a few minutes with the only sound being Riri’s sniffles, she pulled back, giving Mia a weak smile.

“Do you feel better?” She asked. Riri nodded.

“Yeah…strangely…as soon as I hugged you I felt calm…” Tony glanced at Riven who looked intrigued.

“Oh good! It worked!” Mia smiled.

“What worked?” Tony asked.

“I calmed her down.”

“How?” Mia seemed to think on this.

“I felt how upset and hurt and angry she was…so I…put a blanket around her.”

“Blanket?”

“A calming blanket.” Mia shrugged. “I dunno how to explain it but it’s a blanket.”

“…Did I just become a test subject for her?” Riri looked to Tony.

“I think so.”

“Let’s go ahead and wrap this up for next weekend…” Riven said, knowing that while Mia helped calm her down, such rush a of emotions can exhaust anyone, let alone a 15 year old.

“I think that’s a good idea.” Riri nodded, standing. Mia took her hand as they started to head out before she stopped, causing Riri to stop as well. “Mia?” Mia looked to the armor waiting on the table before looking to Riri. Tony knew that look in her eyes.

“Ironheart.” Everyone else paused, looking back and forth between Mia and the armor.

“Ironheart?” Riri repeated.

“Your name. Cause you’re doing this so no one else’s heart gets hurt…so Ironheart.” Riri seemed to think on her words, before smiling.

“She has you there.” Riven hummed.

“Yeah…she does…Ironheart.” Riri tested the name. “I like that.”

——

“So she’s now Ironheart?” Stephen asked as he and Tony soaked in the tub.

“I think so. You know the look Mia gets when she knows something we don’t?”

“She had that didn’t she?” Tony nodded. “And what about this whole ‘blanket’ thing?”

“That was new. I had Friday send a message to Charles and Jean.”

“Good idea.” Stephen leaned back. “Are you going to tell her mother about her guilt?”

“No. I recommended her see someone, and told her if she’s interested, I can recommended a few personally. She was surprised to hear that I go to therapy…told her we all do really.”

“Good. I hope she reaches out.”

“How’d you trip go by the way?” At the groan he got Tony shifted so he could look at his fiancé. “What happened?”

“I’m staring to think that the Kamar-Taj needs better records on who they taught…or kicked out.” A few of the different ‘teachers’ they found were those who either stepped away from the temple, or were kicked out. Mainly they were kicked out. The rest were con artists which just upset the sorcerers further.

“That bad?”

“This is the 6th one. We’re lucky none of them has been as bad as Johnathan.”

“Yet.” Stephen groaned again. “Are the masters doing anything?”

“Not yet. Wong and I are going to speak to them tomorrow. May need to bring Riven to strong arm them.”

“Ooh please take video. I wanna see that.” Stephen pressed a kiss to the side of his head. Don’t forget next week we have cake tasting.”

“I haven’t forgotten. Loki has been begging to know where we’re going.” They had made the joke about having him come along thanks to his cloaking spell, but now they were serious about it.

“Have you asked him yet?” Stephen just leaned forward, grumbling into the side of the inventor's neck. “You haven’t asked him!?”

“I haven’t had time!”

“Bullshit!”

“What if he says no…”

“You’re telling me, that Stephen Strange, the Sorcerer Supreme is afraid of rejection?”

“This is a big deal!”

“You’re asking him to be a groomsman, not to marry him.” At the disgusted noise Tony laughed. “Ask him tomorrow. If not at the cake testing.”

“Do I have to?”

“Yes. Harley already said yes to me.”

“Well yeah you’re like the dad he never had. Loki is…”

“A pain in the ass, but still very reliable?” Tony pulled away to get out of the tub. “Ask him.”

“Ugh, fine.”

——

 

“Mrs. Potts informed me that we’ve finalized on the venue gentleman.” Allen smiled brightly at the two men standing before him in front of a bakery. “Once we’re done here I’ll be contacting The Plaza to coordinate everything in regards to the vendors.”

“Thank you Allen. I don't know what we’d do without you.” Stephen sighed. “I don’t even want to think about it.”

“Yeah it would’ve been a disaster. I’m not one for planning.”

“So I’ve heard.” Allen laughed. He paused when he saw someone behind the two of them. “I take it this is Mr. Laufeyson we’ve been waiting on.” Loki had appeared not too far from them, dressed classy as always with a dark suit pants and a dark green dress shirt.

“I hope I didn’t leave you all waiting too long.” Loki shook Allens hand. “Now…where’s the desserts?” Allen laughed as he lead them into to bakery.

 

It took them 4 different bakeries before they finally found the perfect cake, not only in taste but the ability to create said cake with the vision board that Allen had.

“Loki…” Stephen cleared his throat as Allen spoke with the head baker.

“Hm?” The god of mischief looked to the sorcerer, fork still in his mouth from the sample he was enjoying. Tony snorted, clearing his throat to cover it up.

“I wanted to ask you something…” Stephen seemed to fiddle with his gloves instead of looking at Loki. Loki, sensing Stephen’s anxiety set the fork down before reaching over and touching the sorcerer’s arm.

“What’s wrong?” Stephen took a breath before blurting out-

“Will you do me the honor of being one of my groomsmen?” Loki blinked, before looking to Tony, who was trying to keep a straight face and then back at Stephen.

“You want me as a groomsman?” Stephen looked up at hearing the awe in Loki’s voice.

“Yes. I want you as a groomsman.” The Norse God swallowed, before nodding. “Really?”

“I honestly didn’t expect you to ask me.”

“Please, you two may bicker but you’re both friends…have been for a while Lokes.” Tony laughed. At his laugh the tension Stephen had bled away while Loki chuckled, reaching for his dessert again. “Since you said yes that means you get to have the joy of going suit shopping with the rest of us.”

“Do I get to pick out a color?”

“For the shirt and tie yes. But the suits will be black.” Loki nodded.

“This is…exciting. And this is how marriages are done here, correct?” He had started to ask questions whenever Tony or Stephen talked about their wedding.

“Yeah…course you need to propose first.” Loki just hummed, before going to grab some sweets to take home. There were going to have dinner with Maggie at Rem’s. The house they bought was in the process of getting furnished, just in time for the teen to spend her first Christmas with them.

“Am I going to have to clear my schedule for his wedding too?” Allen asked after Loki left.

“We’re taking bets on who will ask who.”

“Really?” The blonde looked to the inventor. “How come?”

“Because we were taking bets on who would ask who to go out.”

“Who won?”

“Loki. But James—his partner—had been practicing baking to surprise him with sweets. He beat James just before he was able to hand over the pumpkin bread.”

“Awww. That’s so cute. Oh their wedding will be amazing…please tell them I want to plan it.” Tony laughed at the excitement the planner had. “I’ve never planned for royalty…”

“Once they finally get engaged I’ll push them towards you.”

“Excellent. Well then, Mr. Stark. Mr. Strange. I’ll see you in a few weeks for suit fittings for both you and your groomsmen. And Mrs. Potts said she’d accompany your bridesmaids and flower girl.”

“Sounds good. Have a good holiday Allen!” As they walked down the sidewalk hand in hand, Tony hummed in thought.

“Have we heard back from the breeder yet?” He asked the sorcerer.

“We have. We just need to go over next week before Christmas Day to pick them up.”

“Good. Friday’s got everything ordered already, just needs to be set up in his room.”

“I can’t believe it’s already the end of the year…” Stephen sighed. “It has been…”

“Insane.”

“Extremely.”

“I mean we last year we had the rogues come back….only to find out a demon was possessing one of them. Then there was Thanos—”

“We didn’t technically deal with Thanos sweetheart.” Stephen pointed out.

“No but we were planning dammit, which was stressful enough as it is.” Stephen laughed.

“Then we had Hydra…who wasn’t actually Hydra, but some freaky ruler of Hell.”

“Then we had Ana and Riven splitting.”

“And my small kidnapping.”

“It did not feel small.” Stephen gave Tony a look.

“Compared to the last few, it was minor. But now…”

“Now?”

“Now, I’m looking forward to retirement.” Tony leaned against Stephen. “I thought I’d be anxious but…with Riri and Harley’s training going so well, I think things will finally look up.”

“Don’t jinx it!” Stephen laughed before looking up at the sky. “I think it’s gonna snow later…you know that means Mia will want to make snowmen right?”

“Right. Might need a heat spell for Riven though.” They found out rather quickly that the Realmwalker did not enjoy the cold. He grumbled and growled any time he was outside.

“Or we can bundle him up like Randy from A Christmas Story.”

——

Christmas morning that year was a bit different than the last few. Ana was already making breakfast when when Tony and Stephen made their way out to the living room, with Michael following behind them. Mia was curled up in Riven’s lap, who was still trying to wake up…or go back to sleep, Tony couldn’t tell.

“Is Peter not up yet?” Stephen questioned, before seeing that Ana had Peter in the kitchen helping her. “Nevermind.”

“When can we do presents?” Michael yawned.

“Let some of us get coffee and tea then we’ll begin.” It wasn’t long before they went to town on the different presents. Seeing Riven open his own gifts next to Ana was not something Tony ever thought he’d see, but there he sat looking over Ana’s shoulder at a rare edition of Poems by Emily Dickinson, his own rare set of fairy tale books in his lap. He looked over to see Michael showing Mia how to set up her new switch, with Peter already opening his new camera, lens already out and ready to be attached.

Stephen nudged Tony, glancing towards their wing. He nodded, knowing exactly what he was going to go get. The others were in on what was happening, and they began to shift everything away so they could watch a certain Realmwalker’s reaction. The sorcerer came back in a short while later, with a medium sized lidded box.

“What’s this?” Riven set down the manuscripts he received from Stephen that he was going through. It was an in an ancient language that the Realmwalker was eager to translate. Stephen gently set the box on his lap, and watched as Riven carefully held it. He could tell something was moving in it. “What—”

“Open it Tesoro.” Riven stared at his father before removing the lid, taking a sharp breath at seeing what was inside.

“What is it?” Mia asked, peeking over Riven’s shoulder. She already knew but no one had seen it yet. Inside was a little white hedgehog with red eyes. “Oooh….he’s so cute!” Riven just stared before looking back up to Tony and Stephen.

“He’s mine?”

“Yeah, he’s yours. We’ve got everything for his cage and while I know you’re still sleeping in Ana’s room we were gonna set him up next door in your study.” Riven reached down into the box, carefully stroking his spikes, letting the little creature sniff him and didn’t flinch when he bit him, instead just smiling more. “Do you like him?”

“I love him.” Tony grinned, looking to his fiancé. Stephen kissed Tony, before smiling at his kids.

“What’re you gonna name him?” Michael asked, as they all crowded around to see the little creature who seemed to realize Riven didn’t mind the bitting and just went back to sniffing. Riven looked towards the books he got, before smiling.

“Hans.”

Notes:

Riven has a pet!! Fun fact Hedgehogs are technically illegal in New York but..it's my story so they're fine. Also, with Harley and Loki, I was going over the planned wedding party I had written down and realized I forgot our boy! Hence Loki being asked.

Also, props for anyone who gets where the name Hans is from.

We're getting close to the wedding! So exciting!

See you all soon!

Chapter 43: "But Darling you, are, the only exception."

Notes:

Hi. I'm not dead

First off I want to apologize. I never meant to be gone for so long, and without any explanation but...things took a turn for the worst when it came to my fathers health. It hit us hard and fast and things just kept spiraling. As of now he's no longer in the red. He did have to have a massive surgery, and he's recovering. During all of this I didn't even think of the story and when I did...I couldn't write anything I was working on because

How can I write a happyily ever after if my worlds falling apart?

But when I did finally have a chance to sit down, I decided that instead of having you wait for the next few chapters I'd give you one big finale. This chapter is over 6K, and it really is the end.

Now you may be wondering "Hey Ash, it says this is 43 out of 44?" What do you mean this is the end? I mean this is the end, but I'm working on an epilogue. One that'll take place 5 years from now. I can't wait for you guys to read it, but for now, please enjoy this.

Trigger Warnings:

Transphobia in the beginning

Title from - You are the only exception by Paramore

Side note, I mentioned before the wedding is at The Plaza, it's a luxury hotel near Central Park. You can actually go to their website and see the different rooms used for weddings, it's beautiful.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“So your hedgehog is not named after the beloved fairy tale author that gave us the brilliant Disney film The Little Mermaid?” Allen questioned Riven as they watched Michael get measured at a local suit shop.

”First off, the Disney version is a very watered down version of what Hans Christian Anderson wrote. If they animated the actual story I’m pretty sure it would’ve traumatized many children.”

“Myself included.” Allen shuddered.

“Second off, no. I named him after another fairy tale.” Riven caught his fathers gaze from where he was standing next to the wedding planner and grinned. Tony just huffed a laugh from the lounge he was sitting on next to Stephen and Rhodey.

“What other fairytale?”

”Hans my hedgehog.” At the blank look Riven chuckled. Stephen leaned in to murmur into Tony’s ear.

“Allen’s getting better. When we first introduced them every time Riven spoke or laughed he twitched.”

“I know.” Tony was trying to stifle a laugh. “Now he just shivers a bit when he chuckles. And it only took a few weeks of them being in contact.” It was close to the end of January, with only a few months left till the wedding.

“I didn’t know that was a Grimm fairy tale.” They focused back into the conversation they were having.

“It was translated Jack My Hedgehog, but the original was Hans. I liked Hans better than Jack.”

“Huh. Learned something new today.” Allen blinked. “When Mr. Stark mentioned Hans I swore I found another Little Mermaid fan.”

“Don’t mention The Little Mermaid around Mia.” Rhodey spoke up. Allen turned to the others.

“Why?”

“Because you’ll get an in depth explanation as to how the depiction of the underwater ecosystem is not scientifically correct.” Rhodey said bluntly. Allen gave a nervous chuckle, but at seeing Tony, Stephen and even Happy give the same look, he realized they were serious.

“Really?”

“Oh yeah. You should’ve seen Uncle Rhodey and Aunt Carol. They had no idea what to do.” Michael piped in, holding still for the attendant as he wrapped the tape around his chest.

“When was this?” Loki questioned. He had a catalog in his hands as he sat in Jame’s lap, with James looking over his shoulder at said catalog.

“When we went on our first date.” Stephen smiled, remembering how he heard about it after they got him back from Mordo.

“Ah so when you first got the children.”

“Yeah. The very beginning.” Tony hummed. He watched as the attendant seemed distracted but went off to get what he assumed was some suits.

“And Mr. Hogan and Mr…..Wong?” Allen raised an eyebrow but shrugged when he got a nod. “Will be getting fit separately?”

“Happy is, Wong has special robes he will wear.” At the worried look Allen gave him Tony pulled out his phone and showed it to him.

“Ah…that’ll work.”

“Wait he can wear his robes but I can’t wear my royal Asgardian attire?” Loki protested.

“Yes he can cause his is very plain and simple.”

“I have plain and simple—” Loki was interrupted by several voices disagreeing. At the pout James kissed his neck and murmured something into his ear which made him calm down. “Fine. I’ll wear the suit.” Tony could see the tips of his ears were red, and was curious to hear what was said.

“Since that’s been figured out…Mrs. Potts has the ladies?” Allen changed the subject.

“Yeah, her and Carol are there. I think they’re finishing up with Mia now…” Tony checked his phone to check.

“Excellent, then you have your separate fittings in a week…” Allen was interrupted by the attendant coming up and saying something to him quietly. “…I’ll be right back gentlemen.” The tone he gave was not a pleasant one. Michael looked to his fathers, uncomfortable.

“What’s wrong Tesoro?” Tony stood.

“I think he felt my binder.” That caused everyone to focus on him, before they turned to where Allen was across the store arguing with someone. Tony walked over, listening as he got closer.

“I’m sorry Mr. Baker but we do have the right to refuse service.” He heard the older grey haired gentleman say, crossing his arms.

“You’re seriously going to cancel our fitting!? Right in the middle of said fitting?!”

“We can go ahead and refund the guest—”

“No we’re past that I want the damn reason as to why you’re suddenly demanding my clients—who’re trying to be your customers—out.” The man scowled, stroking his beard a bit before giving an almost sadistic grin. It was obvious he didn’t see Tony coming up behind him, but Allen must have cause he didn’t even glance at him to give him away.

“We don’t dress women.” Allen reeled back as if the man slapped him, while Tony felt himself go numb with anger.

"Do you know who this fitting is for?!” Allen seethed.

“It doesn’t matter who this fitting is for, I want you and her out of here along with whoever else is part of that wedding party.”

“You do realize you’re reputation as one of the finest tailors will be tarnished.” Allen grabbed his phone.

“You really think I care what a simple little wedding planner says? I doubt you or your client will do much damage to us.” He scoffed.

“Really?” Tony spoke up, causing the two to jump. He watched the gentlemen—Samuel according to his silver name plate—spin around and pale instantly. “I’m pretty a lot of people would love to know what you just said about my son.” He growled.

“M-M-Mr. Stark?!?”

“Did you seriously just misgender my kid?”

“W-Well I—”

“Because the term ‘we don’t dress women’— ” he spat “—seems to point towards misgendering, and showing off your bigotry.”

“We’re an old fashioned shop sir—”

“So that gives you a free pass?”

“N-No sir I just—”

“Samuel, is it?” The grey man nodded, swallowing painfully. “Are you the owner?” At another nod Tony pulled out his phone. “Allen would you be so kind to let the rest of our group know we will be leaving, and…be careful on how you tell them.” He quickly dialed who he wanted and put it on speaker.

“Ok…” Allen looked lost.

“Riven’s protective.” Green eyes widened, before he nodded and rushed away. After two rings it clicked, and Pepper spoke up.

“Tony? Everything ok?” He could hear the others at the shop talking in shop behind her.

“Sadly not.” Tony maintained eye contact as he spoke. “The tailor we went to apparently has a very strange rule.”

“Oh?” Pepper’s quizzical tone turned to a serious one.

“Apparently they don’t dress women.” There was a pause.

“You are joking.”

“Afraid not Pep. The owner Samuel here said so himself.” Samuel opened his mouth to say something but Tony put a finger up to stop him, causing him to shut his mouth with an audible click.

“I see. How shall we deal with this Mr. Stark?” Tony smiled, causing the man to flinch.

“How an angered Aunt would Mrs. Potts.” Another pause.

“It’ll be done within the hour. Will that be all Mr. Stark?”

“That’ll be all Mrs. Potts.” He hung up the phone, putting it in his pocket and turning to look where his family was. He could see Allen talking quietly while Stephen held Michael with Peter close to him. “I think we’re going to go ahead and leave. I expect a full refund to go to Mr. Baker as soon as possible, seeing as we will no longer do business with you. Pretty sure he’s gonna let all of his clients and colleagues know too, especially since a majority are part of the LGBTQ, so they’ll want to know to steer clear.” He chuckled darkly. “Guess we can do damage to you.” He heard the tell tale sound of a portal opening and turned to see Ana storming out of it, looking around before spotting him and the owner.

“YOU!” She snarled as she started to stalk her way towards them.

“Ah shit, you might not live to see the damage.” Tony muttered. “Ana, sweetheart.” He tried to placate. “I’ve got this handled.”

“Bullshit, he—HEY!” Luckily Riven rushed over as soon as he heard her and grabbed her around her waist before picking her up and throwing her over his shoulder. “Riven!!”

“I’ve got her Il Babbo. Let’s go, before I change my mind.” Riven growled as his soulmate struggled before she finally groaned and let herself be carried out.

“…You are so lucky.”

——

 

“Wow Pep. You were’t kidding about having it done in an hour.” Tony whistled low, staring at the several news articles in front of him. They were back at the compound, with Allen in the dining room on the phone to not only inform the others in his office of the situation, but to see if they can find someone to take them last minute. Already the shop was trying to backtrack, saying it was a misunderstanding but the Stark Industries CEO didn’t do ‘misunderstandings’ so no one was really believing the owner.

“He hurt my nephew.” Pepper sniffed. “I’m not going to let him get away with that. How is he by the way?” Michael had gone to his room after getting home, stating he wanted to be alone. Peter and Ana followed but didn’t intrude, just stayed in their room in case Michael wanted or needed them. Riven was in the living room with Mia, who could tell her big brother was upset but knew he needed time alone at the moment.

“Upset of course. I’m just glad he didn’t hear the things that asshole said.” Stephen said next to Tony, still flipping through articles. Tony had given them both the full rundown with Allen’s help, so they knew exactly what that man said. Speaking of, Allen stepped into the living room, looking relived.

“Well I do have some good news at least.” Allen said, running a hand through his blonde hair.

“Oh?”

“We’ve already got three different shops wanting to have the honor of having you, all stating they’re LGBTQ friendly. We can have this rescheduled for next week in fact, if everyone’s still available.

“I’ll check with Rhodey and Loki, but I doubt we’ll have an issues. I’ll trust you to pick the best one.”

“Of course Mr. Stark.” At that moment Michael came out with Ana following. “Are you alright Michael?” Michael nodded, before looking to his dads.

“I’m not gonna lie and say hearing that he rejected us because of me didn’t hurt. But I’m not gonna let some bigot hurt me and ruin this experience of being one of your groomsmen. So yeah, I’m alright.” Tony pulled him into a tight hug, smiling.

“So proud of you Bambino.” He kissed the top of his head. “Love you.”

“Love you too Dad.”

 

——

 

“We’re almost there gentlemen!” Allen smiled at the grooms to be. They were just finishing up the fittings for their suits, with Riven currently being measured.

“Thank god.” Tony groaned. “Pepper’s already got everything for the girls. She wouldn’t let me see Mia’s flower girl dress though.” He pouted. Allen just chuckled.

“You’ll love it, trust me.” Allen was keeping very tight lipped about how their youngest would look come wedding day. “Question.”

“Answer.”

“Are you having bachelor parties?”

“Nope.”

“No.” Both Tony and Stephen answered. Rhodey who was sitting next to the two looked surprised.

“Really?”

“I’ve never been one for that sort of thing.” Stephen shrugged.

“As much fun as it may have been in the past, now it’d be a waste. I’ve been sober for years, I’m not one for strippers anymore, and honestly? That’s a high risk situation where any cell phone could be a tabloid article that could be twisted and suddenly CPS is at our door.” They all stared at Tony after his little tangent, most shocked. However Rhodey seemed to know what happened.

“Pepper lectured you didn’t she?”

“I plead the 5th.”

——

“Are you sure this a good idea Tony?” Rhodey asked for what seemed like the thousandth time.

“Yes, this is a good idea.” He huffed. They were at one of the larger conference rooms in the compound, with decorations being put up as they spoke.

“How do we know this is a good idea?” Rhodey sighed.

“Because two weeks ago while watching a move with Mia, Riven and Ana both seemed to focus solely on the surprise party.”

“And that made you think they wanted a surprise party?”

“Well they’ve never had one now have they?” Rhodey couldn’t really argue with that logic. “Now help with the streamers.”

“Why are we doing it here?” Carol questioned.

“Because they said they wanted to have their birthday at home, and let’s be honest we need the extra room.”

“Wait, why do we need the extra room?” The reason for the extra room came through the double doors.

“Friends!” Thor boomed, smiling brightly. He carried a few presents in his arms.

“Hey there your highness.”

“Please Anthony, do not use such politeness.” Thor looked perturbed.

“He’s not really being polite love, he’s being Tony.” Bruce chuckled. He looked more relaxed than Tony's ever really seen.

“Ah, I see.” Thor chuckled, before going over and hugging the inventor. “How have you been? How has the preparations being for the big day?” Tony returned the hug before hugging Bruce.

“Exhausting. Luckily the wedding is now only a few weeks away and thanks to Allen we’re way ahead of schedule.”

“Allen is your wedding planner?” Bruce questioned.

“Yeah, he’s been a godsend.”

“Loki was talking about him.” Tony and Bruce shared a look.

“Yeah Allen mentioned he would love to plan a royal wedding.”

“Did he now?” Thor seemed to zero in on that part of the conversation. Bruce coughed, flushing.

“Yes…why?”

“N-No reason!” Thor cleared his throat, blushing as well. Tony just chuckled, before he noticed James coming in.

“Hey Winter Wonder, where’s your partner?” James rolled his eyes at the name, smiling.

“He's talking to Maximoff.”

“Oh?”

“Since her due date is coming up she’s going to be staying in New Asgard.”

“Ah.” He hadn’t seen Wanda or Vision much since coming back from their holiday last summer. He then noticed Maggie coming in. “How’s she been?” He asked James quietly, watching as she looked for her boyfriends before smiling and rushing over to Michael and Robin who were helping Carol with balloons.

“Good. We’ve uh…integrated night time traditions when it comes to nightmares.”

“Tea/hot cocoa and documentaries?”

“Yup.”

“Best thing for nightmares.” James hummed in agreement, finally seeing his partner enter.

“James, Anthony. Did Maggie come—there she is. Nevermind.” Loki sighed. “Hello brother, Bruce.”

“Hello brother! May I go and say hello to my soon to be niece?” When Thor found out they were able to bring Maggie not only to their new home but to New Asgard he was ecstatic, but Loki warned not to startle the girl, especially with how big he was.

“You may.” Thor dropped off the gifts he still held before he went over to greet Michael and Maggie, being very softy spoken with her. She still had issues with people talking loudly, so he knew to try and tone himself down. “Who else is missing?” Loki looked around.

“Pep and Happy are on their way with the cake, and Wong is grabbing a few students from the Kamar-Taj.”

“And how are they not aware of this happening?”

“Steph’s got them on a run.” Loki nodded.

“Still trying to find something akin to a school?”

“Yeah. I think after Charles confirmed Mia is a mutant with magic he wanted to find a place for someone like her to learn.” Loki hummed, thinking.

“For Asgardians we have scholars who specialize in seidr to teach our young ones, but…after the destruction of our home there’s not as many as we’d like.” He knew they were still gathering those who were off world during the destruction. “Plus we haven’t really had the chance to expand on studies seeing as we’ve been building a brand new colony.”

“That’s understandable.” They paused as Wong came with a few students, having portaled just outside the double doors. “Now all we’re waiting on is—“ He was cut off by Pepper and Happy coming in. “Nevermind.” After they set the cake down, Pepper came up to where Tony and Loki were talking.

“Hello Loki, James. Tony.” She smiled at her former boss.

“Hey Pep. No issues with the cake?”

“None at all.” She sighed happily. “You guys excited?”

“For Riven and Ana’s surprise party?”

“That and in a few weeks you’ll be married.” Tony felt a rush of excitement at Pepper’s statement. Married. He never really thought about it before, but then again he didn’t think he’d have children. He looked over to where Peter and MJ were talking to Michael, Robin and Maggie, then looked to where Thor was helping Mia tape up the ‘Happy Birthday’ banner.

“Yeah…I’m very excited.” He smiled. They watched everyone finish up before he turned to her. “Did I tell you about my most recent dream?”

“Last time you told me about your dream we were sure Rose said goodbye.” Pepper side eyed him.

“No it’s not like that one.”

“Ok…”

“It’s at the new house, fully built. Everyone’s there, it’s a huge cookout. Kids are there, you, Hap…Rhodey and Carol. Loki, James and their daughter…and Stephen is holding a little girl I don’t recognize.”

“A little girl?” Before Tony could say anything Friday beeped, alerting them that Stephen and the twins were on their way.

“Alright, places everyone!” The lights dimmed, and everyone hid out of view from the doors. They heard Stephen, Ana and even Rivens deep voice get closer.

“I’m just saying that if we continue to fail at finding a school we should just—” The doors opened for them, and before Ana could finish her sentence the lights flicked on with everyone yelling

“SUPRISE!” Ana jumped, Riven yelped and one hand started to go up but luckily Stephen caught it. Tony was pretty sure he was about to use magic to defend himself, which meant this may be the first and last surprise party.

“What…”

“It’s a surprise party.” Ana blinked, before looking to Riven.

“…I’m not sure I like them.” A few chuckled would be heard as Tony came up to hug his kids.

“Duly noted. Happy Birthday Ana. Happy Birthday Riven.”

——

“I hate this tradition.” Tony complained. It was the day of their wedding, and he hadn’t seen his fiancé (Soon to be husband) since last night during the rehearsal dinner. They were in one of the large rooms used for wedding parties to prepare for their big day. He was adjusting his shirt, looking at the full length mirror.

“It was just one night.” Rhodey pointed out, helping Peter adjust his tie.

“One night too many.” Tony whined, but couldn’t help have a goofy grin on his face.

“You’re so gross.” His best friend teased.

“Don’t forget I’m your best man for your wedding!” He was grateful for Rhodey’s humor to keep him steady. He didn’t sleep a wink, and not because Stephen was at the Sanctum but because he was so anxious over this day.

“Don’t remind me.” He groaned, but paused when they heard a knock at the door. Ana peeked in, followed by Pepper.

“Wow…” Ana smiled.

“That good?”

“He’s gonna love seeing you.”

“Should hope so. He is marrying me after all.” Ana rolled her eyes and took the red jacket from the hanger, helping her father put it on. “Has Riven seen you?”

“Nope. Uncle Wong and Uncle Loki are helping keep him preoccupied.” Tony can barely remember in the few years they were together where Ana wore a dress. She looked beautiful in the sleeveless black chiffon, with red jewelry to match her father’s suit.

“You look beautiful Tesoro.”

“And you look handsome.” Tony cleared his throat to stop the rush of emotions he was feeling. It would look so bad to cry before even seeing his fiancé (husband).

“Ana can you let Wong know we’re almost ready?” Pepper smiled at the girl.

“Of course.” Ana came over and gave Tony a kiss on the cheek before leaving, followed by Rhodey and Peter. That left Tony and Pepper alone.

“Mr. Stark.”

“Miss Potts.” She took his tie from the table and began to put it on him. “You always did these better than me.”

“You have Stephen to help you now.”

“True. Course he uses magic while you do it the old fashion way.” She just chuckled, smoothing the finished tie.

“Do you remember mentioning that dream a few weeks ago?” Tony paused, thinking as he grabbed his cufflinks.

“The one at our house?”

“That’s the one. You mentioned the little girl.”

“Ah. Yeah, I remember.”

“You never finished telling me about her.” The inventor smiled, remembering it clearly.

“She had Stephen’s eyes. My hair…pretty sure my amazing bone structure.” Pepper laughed. “She was 5.” He paused. “I told Stephen about it.”

“Did you?”

“Yeah, it happened again the other day.”

“What did he say?” She stepped back, admiring her best friend.

“…He said why don’t we try for another?” Pepper blinked, searching Tony’s face.

“Pretty sure neither of you can conceive…unless you’ve been hiding one hell of a secret from me.” Tony threw his head back and laugh, not expecting that answer.

“No! Christ, could you imagine? Bet I’d be a monster with those pregnancy cravings.” Pepper smacked his arm, waiting for him to continue. “We talked about having a surrogate. I was gonna ask you when we got back from our honeymoon—”

“To be your surrogate?!” Pepper said startled.

“No Pep.” Tony laughed, but felt a pang of something he wasn’t sure of at her rejection. “Help finding someone to be our surrogate. It’s gonna be hard since well…I am Tony Stark.” Pepper seemed to calm a bit after that, before thinking.

“We’ll work on that when you get back.”

“Boss, it’s time.” Friday chimed from the table.

“Are we ready, Mr. Stark?”

“Lead the way Miss Potts.” She took his arm as they left, heading towards the terrance room, where the actual ceremony would take place. “Thank you.”

“Hm?”

“For being here…for me.” When he had asked if she could walk him down the aisle he was sure she was going to ruin her makeup for the day from crying.

“Of course Tony…I expect you to do the same when it comes time for my wedding.” She teased.

“Deal.”

“Wait here.” Pepper stopped him, before going to where Allen was standing by. He really wanted to disobey his best friend and go and take a peek at the rest of the wedding party but decided against it. Once Pepper got the go ahead she came back to Tony’s side, and they paused at the doorway. “You ready?”

“No? Maybe?” Tony swallowed his anxiety before nodding. “Yes. Definitely Yes.” The doors opened, and he walked arm in arm with Pepper down the aisle. He glanced at the groomsmen and women on his side and on Stephens, before his gaze reached the sorcerer. He actually had to grip Pepper a bit tighter so he wouldn’t trip at seeing the man. His fiancé (Only a few minutes before being husband) smiled at him, eyes filled with emotion. The dark blue suit fit him wonderfully, and while they joked about Levi being his train, he could see the bit of red fabric sticking out of his breast pocket. He finally made it to where Stephen and the officiant stood, before turning to his soon to be and taking carefully taking his hands. He knew Pepper went to sit with Mia next to her, but he couldn’t focus on anything but the man in front of him.

If you asked Tony what was said as far as the ceremony, he would not be able to tell you. He was thankful they had agreed to have it filmed and hire professionals for it, so that after he could look back on it and wonder how he didn’t just pass out from nerves. It wasn’t until the ‘I do’s’ and the kiss that everything came crashing down on him. As their guests cheered, Tony blinked up at his now husband.

“We’re married.” Stephen laughed, cupping his face.

“Yes love, we’re married.” The genius let those words wash over him before pulling his husband down for a deeper kiss than the first, getting more cheers and some wolf whistles. Afterwards was a whirlwind of congratulations, herding the guests to the main ballroom while the wedding party stepped out for pictures. Tony finally saw his little flower girl, picking her up and twirling her around before setting her back down.

“Oh my goodness princess you look adorable!” Mia giggled, wrapping her arms around her fathers neck as she spun. She wore a white tulle dress that had red petals all along the bottoms, her hair pulled up with little blue butterflies carefully put in her curls.

“And you look handsome!” She was all smiles as she was set down, before she went to Stephen to get a hug.

“Alright, let’s get these pictures taken care of!” Allen clapped his hands to get everyone’s attention. “I’m heading into the main ballroom to make sure everything is ready.” Although the photos didn’t take too long, Tony felt like it had been hours since they started.

“Alright everyone, to the reception!” Allen ushered everyone to the main ballroom, before lining them up for their introductions.

“Stephen.”

“Yes love?”

“Why we didn’t just elope?” Tony murmured to his husband.

“Because your PR team would’ve lost it, and I think Pepper’s already upped their pay emensley since being with you.”

“True.”

“Plus, let’s be honest if you didn’t get a big wedding like the diva you are you’d regret it.”

“Hey! I am not that much of a diva!”

“Yes you are.” Both Stephen and Allen answered, and Tony realized they were the last to be called in.

“You both are so mean.” Allen just chuckled before hearing—

“Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing Mr. And Mr. Stark-Strange!” As the doors opened the two newlyweds heard their friends and families applaud and cheer, making the moment even more magical as they made their way up to center of the dance floor to take their first dance. As the music started, Tony glanced around to see that all eyes were on the two.

“Gotta admit, your choice for the dance is pretty good.” Tony spoke up after a bit as they danced, smiling up at the sorcerer he fell in love with.

“Peter Gabriel is already a good choice. This thought…” He paused so they could hear the lyrics from ‘The Book of Love’ wash over them. “I feel this is perfect.” He pulled Tony closer, humming softly along. Tony just chuckled softly, humming along with the man he just married. When the song ended they heard those around them applaud, but they didn’t notice, instead pulling away just enough to share a sweet kiss.

“Should’ve gone with comfier shoes.” Tony grumbled once they were siting at the wedding party table.

“You’re the one who wanted to wear Versace without breaking them in.” Stephen teased, taking his husbands hand and kissing the knuckles.

“Remind me to listen to you from now on.”

“Pretty sure that’s part of being married.”

“Oh yeah.” He chuckled. It wasn’t long before dinner was served and the best man speeches were made, with everyone laughing at Rhodey’s stories and even Wong’s about their time with the couple. Then the music was turned up and couples danced while others came around and mingled, Tony and Stephen going around to talk to their friends and loved ones.

“Look.” Stephen nudged Tony while they were talking with Charles and Jean for him to see Ana and Riven dancing together. When he first met Ana and Riven, the thought of them being separated was nowhere near possible. Now the two were quietly talking as they slow danced, each in their own bodies. Not too far from them was Michael with Maggie and Robin in a sort of weird yet made sense circle for the three to dance, and MJ and Peter also in view from where they were standing. He could see Harley and Riri chatting not too far from the dance area, Riri laughing at something Harley was saying.

“Looks like everyone’e dancing…” Tony hummed, watching his family as they slow danced.

“We should get out there to dance again.” Stephen kissed the side of his head. As they finished their conversation with the two telepaths Tony noticed Vision coming their way.

“Heya Vis.” Tony smiled at seeing him.

“Hello Tony, Stephen. Congratulations on your marriage.”

“Thank you Vision.” Stephen smiled as well. “Are you going to head out?” Wanda had just given birth a week prior, and while she wished she could be there for the wedding, her being away from the boys caused her severe stress and anxiety. Vision nodded, looking a bit ashamed.

“I wish I could stay for longer but—”

“It’s fine Vis. We completely understand. Say hi to Wanda for us will you?” Vision smiled with relief that his friends understood his wanting to leave early.

“Of course.” They watched their friend leave before turning to find Mia coming up.

“Daddy Papa! Come dance!” She grabbed both of their hands, being careful of Stephens as she pulled them to the dance floor.

“Looks like we are getting that dance in.” Tony laughed.
——

“Alright, you guys gonna behave for Uncle Rhodey and Aunt Carol?” The reception was dying down and Tony and Stephen were getting ready to leave for their honeymoon right from the venue.

“Of course, and you know two of us are adults.” Ana raised an eyebrow.

“Technically three.” Riven was holding a sleepy Mia while he watched Allen start ordering for the cleanup of the reception hall.

“Technically yes but just in case we still have your Aunt and Uncle with you.” Stephen agreed, but being away from everyone for a week stressed the two of them out, soothes wanted extra precautions.

“Of course.” Peter yawned. “I’d say get going so you won’t miss your flight but I’m pretty sure you guys are leaving via portal.”

“You’d be right.” Tony chuckled. “We’ll be back in a week, text or call if you need anything, we’ll still have Friday with us.”

“We’ll be ok Dad.” Ana laughed before accepting the hug and kiss she got. Rhodey came over while they were saying goodbye.

“Honestly Tones we’re taking bets.” Rhodey chuckled.

“Bets?” Tony asked, confused.

“How long it’ll be before you have us come with you to Hawaii.” Peter grinned. They knew their parents well.

“We’ll see you in a week.” Stephen said with a determined tone in his voice. Once all goodbyes were said, Tony and Stephen stepped into a newly opened portal to a beautiful beachside villa that was going to be theirs for the week.

 

They lasted three days before the kids were brought there to enjoy Hawaii with them.

——

“Hey Tony?” Tony blinked, looking up from his desk. It was a few weeks after their honeymoon and he was finishing up paperwork in his office at the compound. Steve stood at the doorway, leather jacket on. He hadn’t seen him since before the wedding, and was surprised to see him now “Wanted to say goodbye.”

“Goodbye?”

“Yeah. Everything’s been finalized with Sam, and the council gave me the go ahead.”

“I mean I knew that but…” Tony was still confused.

“I’m leaving the compound.”

“Oh…where are you going to go?”

“Traveling. I’ve seen a lot of this country from the missions we went on…figured it’d be nice to see it for myself, without the shield and the danger.” It made sense honestly.

“So you’re all packed?” The inventor stood.

“Yup. Not much to pack, and I have a cellphone that I’ll be using to check in with the council…and with James.”

“You already said your goodbyes with him?”

“Yeah, him, Nat, Wanda…got to see the twins.” Tony began to walk Steve out towards the front of the compound where he knew his bike was waiting for him.

“Aren’t they so cute? I can’t believe it, Vision and Wanda…parents.”

“You know it’s thanks to your kids right?” Tony smiled proudly at hearing that. “Hell it’s thanks to Ana and Riven that we were ok…she—they pulled that demon out of Wanda, and helped us recover. And even after that she still helped Wanda.”

“Yeah…they’re great kids.”

“They really are.” They were outside, next to Steve’s bike.

“Stay out of trouble Cap.”

“Not really Cap anymore am I?” Tony huffed a laugh.

“No I guess not.” Tony held his hand out for a shake. It’s the first time he initiated any touch since they came back. Steve took it, giving him a firm shake. “Take care of yourself Steve.”

“Of course.” He got on his bike, and was about to put his helmet on before Tony stopped him.

“Mind if I’m one of the ones you check in with occasionally?” Steve blinked, before smiling.

“Of course. My number—”

“Friday’s probably got it already.” That just made the super solider chuckle.

“Right. I’ll talk to you later Tony.”

“See ya Steve.” He watched as the once leader of the Avengers drive away from the compound, and stayed there until he couldn’t see his bike anymore.

——

“Alright, everyone ready to see the house?” It was already summer, and the Stark-Strange cabin was finally ready for them to move in. Stephen, Ana and Riven moved everything from the compound to their rightful places so that when they came home they wouldn’t have to worry about unpacking anything. Better than any move in company in Tony’s opinion. The last thing to move was the bots to the new lab under the cabin/garage. Again, Stephen’s portal made it easy for the three to move in and they began to instantly look around and poke at everything.

“Yes!” Mia jumped up and down.

“And our pets made it safely?” Michael asked. Stephen and Wong actually moved the pets, making sure nothing happened to Raph, Mia’s fish and even Riven’s hedgehog.

“Already there waiting for you.” Stephen chuckled.

“Then what are we waiting for?” Peter bounced on his heels. He of course had a room still at the cabin, and since summer vacation just started he planned on spending it half at home and the other half with MJ and Ned.

“Alright, then let’s go.” Riven opened the portal and they all stepped through to find themselves in front of the large cabin. The wrap around porch had seating along with a patio swing, waiting be used. Tony opened the front door and let the kids look around, each making comments on how awesome the house was, from the large kitchen to the huge living room. Mia and Michael rushed upstairs to see their rooms, while Ana and Riven went down the hall to see the library. Peter went out the back where the path split from the house to lead to Ana’s large sunflower garden and the garage, where they had a few older cars Tony planned on working on with his kids.

“The lab entrance is there?” Peter called as he pointed to the garage. Tony headed over and grinned.

“Yup.” He put his arm around the boy—man’s—shoulder and pulled him to his side.

“Awesome.” Peter looked out to their property. “Think after dinner we could go for a swim?”

“I think we can manage that.”

 

It was a couple hours later after Ana had made them a huge meal thanks to the kitchen of her dreams that found Tony and Stephen sitting on the patio swing watching as their kids jumped and splashed in the lake.

“We should get a fire pit.” Tony suddenly said, causing his husband to pause and look to him.

“I’m sorry?”

“A fire pit. You know, so after we’re done at the lake we can sit around the fire, make smores…especially when the kids have their friends over.”

“Not a bad idea actually. We’ll get started on that this weekend.” He pulled Tony closer as they watched Riven and Ana go against Peter and Michael in a game of chicken while Mia cheered them on from the dock. “Tony?”

“Hm?” The genius looked to his sorcerer.

“Did you ever imagine a life like this?” Tony paused to think on his question, looking back out to his family. He thought about his now extended family, Rhodey and Carol getting ready for their wedding, James proposing to Loki, even Thor announcing Bruce as ‘the King’s consort’ which was amazing to watch Bruce flush so much. He thought of a few years ago, before Ana suddenly came into his life. He had just been broken, betrayed and left alone. Now? He had Stephen, he had his kids, and he had found true happiness.

“No. I never even dreamed of this.” He finally responded. “But now? I think I’m happier than ever.”

Notes:

He said the thing! He said the thing!

All jokes aside thank you all for sticking with me through this insane sequel. I honestly appreciate every comment, kudos and bookmark. I don't know when I'll be back with the epilogue, but once it's posted this series will be officially done.

Series this work belongs to: