Actions

Work Header

I need you like water

Summary:

Alfred had called Uhtred to Wintanceaster to spend the last few moments of his life with him.

*A rewrite of Alfreds death*

Title is from a song by Leann Rimes

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

“I do not know what you were thinking Uhtred. It was a foolish thing to do.” It took Alfred all of his strength to speak. But he didn’t want to die not saying what he needed too.

“I’m sorry my king. I did not mean to kill him. But I do not regret it.”

“I know Uhtred and I do not understand why. Nor do I understand you. You killed yet another holy man, in my holy council chambers. In front of my family nonetheless. But he was insulting your wife. The woman who gave you children and many years of happiness. So you are forgiven but I can only give you so many chances Uhtred. You did throw me on the ground and kick me. I shouldn’t forgive you, but here I am.”

Alfred was silently crying as Uhtred held him, their arms tightly wrapped around each other.

They were standing in the Kings bedchamber, a few weeks after Uhtred had killed Father Benedict, and had pushed the King to the floor, fleeing Wintanceaster for fear of retribution.

Of course Alfred had forgiven him but it had taken weeks of hurt to get to that point.

When Uhtred had fled, Alfred hadn’t had a chance to talk to him face to face.

It had stung to have had the younger man so far away from him, out of reach, without anyway to know that Uhtred would ever be returning to the palace.

Alfred had thought that he would die before seeing Uhtred again. He had spent many a night in his bed crying, both at the fact that he was dying with no way to prevent his death, and the fact that he missed Uhtred when he knew he simply had no right too.

Men couldn’t be with men in his religion.

Christianity forbade it.

Uhtred would never be with him regardless. He was too bullheaded and stubborn. Too caught up in his own desires and wants to stop and think about what Alfred wanted or needed.

But the King constantly told himself that it was fine as he had his own affairs to finish before his death. He had spent so long ignoring how he felt about the Dane that he could almost convince himself that he didn’t care about Uhtred romantically. He was busy anyways, trying to spend more time with his family and his closest friends as well, so that they would have fond memories to think back on after he was laid to rest.

Skade had told him that he wouldn’t live to see another summer. Of course before asking Skade of his fate he had already known. He didn’t need a Saxon healer or a pagan witch to tell him what he already knew. He had started to feel it in his bones before it had spread to his lungs and heart.

A sickness that struck him so fast that he had hardly had time to process it.

But now it was too late and even the best of their healers and holy men hadn’t been able to procure a cure that actually worked.

Alfred had spent many a night as well, cursing god, asking Him why he had chosen to give Alfred such a fate when England was yet to be conquered, and because Alfred still had so many other ambitions and things he wanted to do. He wasn’t even as old as some other kings who had lived well into their 70s. He thought it wasn’t fair.

So he cursed God and he cursed himself. He cursed Uhtred of Bebbanburg as well. He hated the pagan Dane more than he knew he should. He knew he shouldn’t hate anyone simply because hatred never got him anywhere.

But he still wished to see Uhtred dead, even if he also knew at the same time that hearing of Uhtreds death would have crushed him.

Perhaps even sent him to the grave even earlier than previously thought.

Despite his fragility Alfred had still fought to live as long as he had, only to learn that the God he had spent so many years faithfully devoting his life too, had chosen to take him when he was not ready to die in the slightest.

“You’re lost in thought Lord.” Uhtred stroked Alfreds cheek with his hand, trying to offer the King even just a small amount of comfort.

“Yes I was. I’m sorry. You came here to talk to me but here I am, wasting what little time we have.” Alfred sighed. He tried to pull away from Uhtreds warm embrace but now the Dane was much stronger than him. Though it did seem as if Uhtred was purposely keeping him close.

Alfred was close to collapsing at the same time.

He let Uhtred guide him to a nearby chair. He silently cursed the fact that the chairs in the bedroom were only big enough for one person although he guessed that they could go to his bed. They had an hour or two, maybe three if God allowed it, until he would need to lay down indefinitely.

Alfred had demanded his family not be in the room when he passed but they didn’t know that he had snuck Uhtred in, so that he could spend his last moments with the man he had secretly loved for nearly half his life.

He had been surprised that Uhtred had agreed, but here the Dane was, gently leading him over to his bed.

Alfred stumbled then, his legs giving out from underneath him, but he felt Uhtred pull him into his arms, lifting the King up onto the bed.

“Are you sure you don’t need your family here Alfred? Are you sure?” Uhtred was looking down on him, concern evident in his dark colored eyes.

“Yes I just need you Uhtred. Come lay with me. I want you near me when I go.”

“Are you sure my King? What if someone comes in and sees us?”

“It won’t matter. I’ll be gone and they won’t be able to say anything about me or you. Nor us.” Alfred said softly. He was loosing his ability to speak he realized. He was even loosing his ability to draw air into his lungs.

Uhtred settled down on the bed. He seemed to be hesitant of laying close to the King.

But then Uhtred was pulling Alfred to him, settling the king against Uhtreds chest, not even a second later which Alfred felt eternally grateful for. They had no time to spare. No time to be anxious or scared. There was only time to revel in each other.

“Uhtred I…”

“Shhh. Just rest now Alfred. Do not worry about anything else.”

Uhtred heard Alfreds breath hitch before the Kings eyes slipped shut, Alfreds soul leaving his body as he breathed his last breath.

He felt tears start to rise in his throat as he pressed one last kiss to Alfreds forehead.

Notes:

I literally can’t get this ship out of my head after rewatching the last kingdom