Actions

Work Header

cheap shot

Summary:

"The whistle blew, the puck dropped, and all conversation disappeared as the two competitors battled around each other to reach for the piece of black plastic that determined the fate of the rest of the night- a night that didn’t end at the rink for Evan Buckley and Eddie Diaz. "

OR

A smutty Buddie Hockey!AU

Notes:

ohhhhh hsb spinoff 911 server friends my beloved

y'all are the real ones (and by real i mean incredibly filthy and i love u to bits)

here is a GIFT from me to also me

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter Text

                                                                                       


 

“Hey, 27. You hold all your sticks that loose or are you just bein’ easy for me?”

 

Number 27 on the LA Legionaries looked directly past his opponent, Number 72 on the Austin Ashers, standing cross-shoulder to him as they waited for the puck to drop. He gritted his teeth and breathed out quickly, trying to block out the voice drawling right next to his ear. 

 

“Aw come on, what, you aren’t gonna react? You can try all you want, but I’ll have you begging for mercy soon enough, and everyone’s gonna watch.”

 

A shudder shook through 27, and out of the corner of his eyes he glowered at 72- but the gaze was filled with something far stronger than athletic rivalry. 72 smirked in victory, rolling his mouthguard across his teeth in a move that shouldn’t at all be as attractive as it was, and 27 huffed out another bothered breath.

 

The whistle blew, the puck dropped, and all conversation disappeared as the two competitors battled around each other to reach for the piece of black plastic that determined the fate of the rest of the night- a night that didn’t end at the rink for Evan Buckley and Eddie Diaz. 



-

 

Buck stood panting as the game came to a momentary pause- two players were getting into it. As much as Buck wanted to jump in and cover his teammate's back, his coach would kill him if he got anywhere close to the real action. Instead, he, and the rest of his team, froze in their positions, hands closed tightly around their sticks as they waited for the referee to pull the brawlers apart. 

 

A strong pair of arms wrapped around Buck, and he jerked for a second before he registered the number written on the sleeves around him. The red and white ‘72’ led up to Eddie’s grinning face, and Buck held back his own smile as he let himself sink slightly into the hold.

 

“I’m not doing anything, yanno?” Buck said, cocking his head to where Ravi was being pulled off Lena. 

 

“I know that,” Eddie hummed, “I just wanted to check something though-” he cut himself off to tighten his grip on Buck, applying enough pressure that Buck felt the sparks of pain even under all the layers of padding. It wasn’t the arms around him that hurt though- it was the bruises and rope burn beneath his layers, the ones that had been pressed into his skin the night before, in just the right places so that every single strap of his gear would irritate the marks over the course of the sixty minutes he would wear it.

 

A choked groan forced its way through his lips, and Buck shot his head up to see if anyone had heard him. 

 

They hadn’t, everyone’s attention glued to the insults that Ravi and Lena hurled at each other even as they skated to their boxes, but Buck’s face flushed in the hypothetical.

 

“No one else needs to buddy up Eddie-” It was true; the hold that Eddie had trapped him in was a tactic used to make sure that the teams kept themselves accountable and out of the fight if things got too heated, but none of the other members of their teams had grabbed onto one another, only him and Eddie.

 

“Well, everyone knows your history , Buck. They won’t blame me for being cautious. Not with the way you used to make an absolute mess of yourself at the slightest inclination. You threw yourself into every single fight: no hesitation, no holding back. There wasn’t a game you would walk off the ice without a messed up face and a dirty sweater.” Eddie said with a completely straight face, arms still in a vice around Buck. 

 

“Enough to drive a guy wild. Can’t blame me if I wanna make sure that the only person that gets you messed up and dirty now is me, huh?”

 

Buck shot Eddie a look, one full of hatred and promise and desire all wrapped up into one, as the refs called them back into position before he could respond.





As the Ashers and the Legionaries lined up across one another to shake hands, Eddie stood at the end of his line, while Buck headed his. 

 

The outcome of the game, however, a victory for the Ashers, meant a lot more for two of the players than the rest of them could ever imagine. 

 

The line of athletes shaking hands and smacking gloves together slowly wound across the ice, Captain Evan congratulating every player with a firm grip and wide smile. When the second to last Asher shook Buck’s hand and moved on, he reached for the outstretched hand of the last player.

 

Eddie pulled into the handshake, forcing Buck to step into his chest, or else risk being pulled completely off-balance. 

 

“That was an excellent game, Captain.”

 

“Thank you, Diaz. You as well, of course.”

 

“No, thank you , Buckley. You’ve just won me a very valuable bet.” Eddie purred, stepping away from Buck, who had to swallow past the sudden swirling of lust that had arisen in the pit of his stomach. 

 

He moved away from the position he had frozen in as Eddie had captured his attention but nearly fell face-first onto the ice as Eddie’s gloves smacked hard across his ass, lighting the marks that had been painstakingly placed there on fire. The arena erupted into laughter and cheering, and Buck had to force himself upright, face blooming with heat as his so-far elegant skating turned into a limping shuffle off the ice. 

 

As he stepped onto the carpet, clicking on his skate guards, Buck smiled to himself. He may have lost the bet tonight, but he knew that whatever Eddie had planned to smile at him like that, Buck was bound to be a winner at the end of it all. 

 

After all, Eddie had bought new knee pads last week, and Buck was excited to help him break them in.