Actions

Work Header

World’s Dictator

Chapter 3: Disappearance

Notes:

Hi~ I sincerely apologize for the short chapter this time. There’s less exposition here compared to the last one, but I hope you enjoy reading it regardless.

As usual, I want to thank Tortle for beta reading this chapter. Thanks so much! I also want to thank you supportive readers for the kudos and comments you gave this story. I really appreciate it. 🎶💚

Chapter Text

In the New York Sanctum, Stephen Strange held a small teacup with his trembling and scarred hands. He sipped on the chamomile tea as his eyes focused on the book levitating in front of him. Multiple books he already finished reading stacked themselves on a small table. His ever-loyal companion, the Cloak of Levitation, browsed the many shelves behind him and chose random books for him to read. A familiar shout interrupted the peaceful and quiet atmosphere of the library.

“Strange! Where are you? There is an emergency at Kamar-Taj.” Wong, one of Stephen’s trusted friends and strict librarian, burst through the library doors. Stephen’s relaxed demeanor switched to alert and battle-ready mode after hearing the urgency in Wong’s voice. The Cloak of Levitation attached itself to his shoulders and his casual clothes changed to blue robes.

“What happened, Wong? Did Sharma-Gora return? I need more time to do more research.”

“No. Not yet. It’s about a different issue. One of our apprentices disappeared during his lunch break. His last known location was a nearby deli buying himself and me a sandwich for lunch. Lunchtime already passed and I couldn’t get my Tuna Melt.” Wong muttered under his breath, more concerned about missing his lunch than their apprentice.

Stephen rolled his eyes hearing Wong complaining about not getting his favorite sandwich. He knew the librarian was taking the situation seriously, but sometimes Wong considered food a top priority. “Focus, Wong. Did you use the tracking spell on the kid?”

“No. I don’t have anything that belongs to him. I thought you would have an idea where to find one of his possessions.”

Stephen answered his question by conjuring a piece of the boy’s hair and presenting it to him. “Before you ask, I have everyone’s hair on hand in case they go missing and I can easily locate them.”

Wong looked at him like he was a crazy pervert. 

“Don’t look at me like that. Levi was the one who collected their hair lying around in the bedrooms and training rooms.”

Levi smacked Stephen’s cheek in rebuttal to his comment. It was only following his orders and he’s blaming it for being a creep.

“Don’t tell me you also have my hair too?” Wong reluctantly asked. 

“Don’t ask questions you don’t want the answer to. It’s better to be prepared for anything.” Stephen said, shrugging his shoulders.

Wong’s face briefly displayed disgust and disbelief before returning to his stoic expression. He returned his focus to the tracking spell, choosing to ignore what Stephen said for his own sanity.

Golden sparks formed between Wong’s hands and a mirror showing the kid’s last known location appeared in front of them. With slight modifications to the original spell, the mirror reenacted the scene that happened at the specified locations.

A teenage boy wearing red robes walked towards an alleyway with takeout bags from the local deli. He formed a small portal before being captured with electric nets. A shadow of Iron Man’s armor appeared before the image dispersed in a burst of light. 

A sense of dread emanated from the two sorcerers. The sorcerer society hid its existence from the rest of the world and it remained a secret for millennia. Until now. The infamous dictator discovered the existence of magic and captured their apprentice.

“Prepare for the worst, Wong. Tony Stark is a formidable enemy and shouldn’t be underestimated. I’ll personally meet with Stark first and negotiate the release of the boy. I’ll leave the Eye of Agamotto and Time Stone under your care in case I don’t return.”

Wong received the precious relic from his friend without argument. He knew Stephen’s silent request in stepping up as the Sorcerer Supreme if he became unable to fulfill his duties as their leader. He accepted the responsibility with a heavy heart.

“Be careful, Strange. You’re venturing into unknown territory.” Wong cautioned his friend.

“I know. Regardless of what happens to me, don’t try to rescue me. I’ll figure out a way to escape by myself.” Wong nodded his head in acknowledgment. Stephen waved farewell to the librarian as he opened a portal to Stark tower.