Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 17 of Merry Whump Of May
Stats:
Published:
2022-05-16
Updated:
2022-08-12
Words:
39,262
Chapters:
15/?
Comments:
406
Kudos:
548
Bookmarks:
110
Hits:
13,175

Dark Waters

Summary:

There is nothing Izzy wouldn't do for his captain. Even if it means debasing himself and submitting to torture in Ed's place.

Notes:

Again, technically posting this early but whatever

Chapter 1

Summary:

The crew is captured.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The ship had been following them for half a day, Izzy’s heart pounding in his chest so fast he thought it might burst. Everytime he looked back she was closer, so Izzy stopped looking. He left Buttons at the helm, he was a little weird but one of the few competent people on the ship, and Izzy focused on barking orders at the rest of the crew. The ship chasing them was a brigantine, much smaller than The Revenge but still a very real threat. Her deck teemed with sailors and Izzy knew, outnumbered as they were, they didn’t stand a chance. Not in a fair fight. 

 

Ed had snapped out of his delusion long enough to notice that they were in real, actual trouble and he’d sequestered himself, along with Bonnet, in the captain’s cabin to think. It was Izzy’s job to grant Ed the time to do it. The brigantine was faster by virtue of its design, but The Revenge could still give her a fair chase. She was flying full sail and Izzy kept an eye on the clouds, praying for a storm or some sort of heavy fog that they could get lost in. Stede’s crew were, for once in their useless lives, doing their damn jobs. It would appear that the gravity of the situation had finally gotten into their thick skulls.

 

The worst part was the waiting. There were only so many things that could be done and eventually he found himself standing helplessly at The Revenge’s railing, watching the brigantine gain on them. She’d catch them, it was inevitable. Her presence was like the hot breath of a beast on his neck and Izzy had to take a shot of rum to calm his nerves. He’d rarely felt like this in the last several years. He hadn’t needed to; Blackbeard’s reputation preceded them and many lay down their arms rather than fight. The ones that did fight were easily cut down by Blackbeard’s crew, who were always the best of the best pirates that could be found.

 

None of that mattered here. Himself, Ed, Fang, and Ivan were the only ones he trusted to be good in a fight. On Stede’s crew, only Jim would be of any use. They’d been helping each other brush up on their skills, them on their swordsmanship, him on his knifework, and Izzy was gaining a grudging respect for them. Still, no matter how good the five of them were, they had no chance against the size of the crew chasing them. Maybe if they got a good enough angle, they could bring her down with The Revenge’s cannons. The brigantine had speed on her side but the galleon had sheer firepower. Izzy considered the idea for a moment before putting it aside. To try the idea, they’d have to swivel to face her broadside. It would practically guarantee their capture and it was too much of a risk.

 

The brigantine had gotten close enough that Izzy no longer needed his spyglass to pick out the individual faces of the men on board. He spotted their captain and his heart skipped a beat. Torres had been a merchant once upon a time, before Blackbeard had single-handedly ruined him. Shipments stolen, his fleet sunk to the bottom of the ocean. Torres had vowed revenge on Blackbeard, a laughable statement when he'd been on his own ship, surrounded by a crew more fearsome and bloodthirsty then the sharks that prowled the water after a raid. It wasn't so funny anymore now that Ed had let himself be weakened so much by this useless ponce.

 

“Spriggs.” Izzy barked.

 

Lucius came up to the railing. He was visibly nervous and he couldn’t keep his eyes off the ship that chased them. He was scared. Good. He should be. “What?”

 

“Go tell Ed that it’s Torres that’s chasing us.”

 

“Who? What? Who’s Torres?”

 

Fucking twat. Terrified out of his mind and he still couldn’t take an order without backtalk. 

 

Izzy grabbed him by the stupid little scarf around his neck and dragged him down to his level. “Go.” He snarled.

 

He let Lucius go and the scribe hurried off, hopefully to do as he’d been told. Izzy turned around to address the rest of the crew. They’d run out of time.

 

“Prepare to fight.” He told them, and ascended to the helm without bothering to see if they’d listen. They were losing this fight no matter what they did, the only question was how long they could draw their deaths out.

 

“They’re gainin’ on us.” Buttons said. “I’m tryin’ but there’s only so far I can push her afore she breaks.”

 

Izzy didn’t reply. He watched the brigantine bob on the waves behind them, so close and only getting closer. He gripped the railing, taking solace in the way the wood stung his rope-burned palms. The pain was grounding, helping him to stay in the moment. He closed his eyes. There was a very real chance that today was the day he died. Him and Ed and every last fucker on this ship.

 

“Brace!” Buttons shouted and Izzy barely had the chance to understand what he’d said before something heavy crashed into the ship.

 

The Revenge’s deck rolled underfoot as the brigantine's bowsprit crashed into her hull. Shouts came up to his ears as Stede’s crew was knocked off balance by the impact. Izzy had been saved by his tight hold on the railing. Now he let go, drawing his sword and returning to the main deck where he’d likely die defending Ed. The brigantine glided up beside them, her hull so close to theirs that Izzy could hear boards scraping against each other.

 

Ed had come up on deck and Izzy glanced back at him to check and see if he had some secret plan. His jaw was set in a way that told Izzy he didn’t, so he turned back to the enemy ship beside them. He had enough time to wonder why they hadn’t turned the cannons on them yet, before all hell broke loose.

 

They were pirates, that much was clear. They clambered up onto The Revenge’s deck like rats and the crew did their utmost to hold them off but there were simply too many. Izzy found himself being pushed back from the railing as after every man he slew, two men jumped up to take his place. In the chaos he heard Ed shout and Izzy instinctively jerked his head up to look for him in the melee. There were too many people on the deck, too much movement, and Izzy couldn’t find him. Not that he could have helped if he had. There were four of them swarming him, attacking him with wild cuts and slashes. He parried as many as he could but he was vastly outnumbered and they were pushing him back, back, back until there was no more room for him to retreat. His shoulders hit the mainmast and Izzy knew he was pinned, but he wouldn’t go down without a fight.

 

A knife went flying through the air to sink into one of his attacker’s throats and the surprise they got from one of their allies dying beside them was enough for Izzy to dispatch another of them. He looked up to see that Jim was fighting alongside him, sword in hand. He gave them a quick nod in thanks for coming to his rescue before turning back to the sea of enemies. His fourth opponent had slipped back into the fray and Izzy followed suit, slipping through knots of fighting men as he searched for his captain.

 

They were losing. Badly. People were being cornered all around him, forced to drop their weapons or die. He could see someone being shoved to the ground, their arms jerked behind their back. Izzy caught sight of the scarf around his neck and he realized it was Lucius. Buttons was still on his feet, biting at his attacker’s throat like a rabid animal. Izzy spotted Roach and Ivan as well, but they were both badly surrounded and it was only a matter of time. He couldn’t see Ed anywhere.

 

Izzy was grabbed by the collar of his shirt and yanked harshly backwards. He managed to pull away before he was fully knocked to the ground but someone else kicked him and, still off balance, Izzy fell to his hands and knees. His sword slipped from his hand and went skittering across the deck. He reached back for his knife but a hand caught his wrist before he could make it anywhere close. Izzy’s arms were yanked back, pinned firmly at the small of his back and tied together even as he struggled to escape. The rope was rough against his flesh, tied too tight and biting into his wrists. 

 

They hauled him to his feet and pushed him towards the brigantine, where he was forced onto her deck and shoved to his knees alongside the other captives. Captives ? Why were they still alive? Izzy took stock of his fellow prisoners and discovered that not a single one of the crew was absent. They wanted them alive, but for what? He didn’t think Torres would be the type to take hostages.

 

At last, Ed and Stede were brought onto the brigantine’s deck, the fucking ponce trying to make a good showing of being brave but Izzy could tell he was fucking terrified. Stede was brought to kneel with them and Ed was left standing in the middle of the deck.

 

“Hello, Blackbeard.” Torres said flatly.

 

Ed didn’t respond, his face carefully blank and his jaw lifted in defiance.

 

“Do you remember me, I wonder? Or have you stolen from so many people that they’ve all blurred together in your mind?”

 

“Don’t know who you are, mate.” Ed replied.

 

He did know who Torres was, Izzy knew that he did, he was just refusing to give Torres so much as the time of day. There was a spark of the old Ed, his Ed, and Izzy’s heart swelled with pride.

 

“Well then,” Torres said. “Let me remind you.”

 

He punched Ed in the stomach, hard, a blow the pirate captain couldn’t dodge with his hands bound the way they were. He doubled over, hissing in pain, and Torres used the opportunity to push him to the ground. He crouched beside him, a hand buried deep in Ed’s mane as he whispered something in his ear, inaudible to the audience gathered around him. Eventually, Torres let go and stood up.

 

“Take his shirt off and tie him to the mast.” He said to his crew.

 

Lucius stiffened beside him, so close to Izzy that their thighs were practically touching. Izzy ground his jaw as he was forced to watch his captain be stripped and manhandled into the position that pleased them best, his hands untied only to be retied around the mast instead. Someone handed Torres a whip and the ex-merchant held it deftly, the cat’s knotted tails swishing menacingly against the boards. Izzy's self control broke at the sight of it.

 

“Don’t you dare lay a fucking finger on him!” He snarled, surging to his feet and making it a few steps forward, before he was recaptured by a tight hold on his upper arms.

 

“Ah, Iggy, I didn’t know Blackbeard was still keeping you around. I figured you’d be old news by now.” Torres said.

 

“It’s Izzy. ” He growled.

 

“Whatever. I intend on ruining Blackbeard just as he ruined me, so if someone would kindly keep him under control, that’d be lovely.”

 

He turned back to Ed and Izzy’s captors were dragging him backwards, trying to force him back to his knees in the line-up.

 

“Leave him alone! Don’t hurt him!” His cries were falling on deaf ears and Izzy was growing desperate. “Please! Have mercy!”

 

Torres raised the lash and Izzy tried his final card.

 

“I’ll- I’ll take his place!”

 

Torres stilled. “Will you, now?”

 

“Stand down, Izzy.” Ed growled.

 

Izzy didn’t listen. He was loyal to his captain above all else and sometimes that loyalty meant he had to disobey. “I will.”

 

Torres strode across the deck towards him, a new kind of hunger in his eyes. “And what would you let me do if I promise not to hurt him, hmm?”

 

Izzy swallowed thickly before answering. “Anything.”

 

And he would. He’d do anything for Ed. He’d jump into certain death, follow him to the ends of the earth, he was certain he’d even mutilate himself if Ed ordered him to.

 

“Then beg.” Torres replied.

 

Izzy bit the inside of his cheek. He could debase himself for Ed’s sake, he’d done it before.

 

“Please.” He said. “Please, let me take his place.”

 

Torres laughed. “That’s not begging-”

 

“Torres! Enough! Your fight’s with me, leave him alone!” Ed snarled, yanking at the ropes that still held him to the mast.

 

“But it would be cruel to deny your first mate here. After all, he asked so nicely.”

 

“And I’m saying no!” Ed growled. “As captain, I overrule him.”

 

“I think I’ve heard enough out of you for a while.” Torres turned to his crew. “Gag him.”

 

A cloth was shoved into Ed’s mouth and Izzy didn’t protest. He could do this, he would do this for Ed but it would be a lot easier if he didn’t have to hear him yelling at him not to. He’d leave after this, he’d have to, Ed wouldn’t want him around anymore after he’d debased himself like this. Izzy didn’t want his last memory of their time together to be him disobeying Ed’s orders.

 

“Where were we? Ah, yes, showing you how to beg properly.”

 

Torres grabbed Izzy, turning him around and slicing the rope between his wrists. For just a heartbeat, Izzy caught the eyes of Stede’s crew, fear and disgust and pity showing on their faces, before he forced himself to look away.

 

“Get on your knees.” Torres told him, after he’d cut him free.

 

Izzy balled his hands into fists but did as he was told, slowly sinking to his knees on the deck. His cheeks burned with humiliation, but it was a small price to pay to ensure Ed’s safety. He could hear Ed still, shouting at him behind the gag, but Izzy could easily tune him out, pretend it was anyone rather than his captain.

 

“That’s better.” Torres said. “Now try again. And call me sir.”

 

Izzy’s fingernails dug into his thighs. His face twitched as his dignity warred with his loyalty to Ed. But Ed would always win out in the end, no matter what was stacked against him. Izzy swallowed his pride and spoke.

 

“Please let me take his place, sir.” His voice was soft, hoping his voice would carry to Torres’ ears only. But the ship was silent enough to hear a pin drop, and Izzy knew he was entirely out of luck. Everyone had heard.

 

Torres looped his fingers in the tie at Izzy’s throat, using it to force the shorter man to look up at him. “Good boy. Take your shirt off and let’s start then.”

 

Of course this twat was going to make him strip himself. Izzy ground his teeth, trying to claw together enough self-control to go for the buttons on his shirt. Evidently, he took too long because Torres spoke again.

 

“Of course, if at any point you change your mind, you can say ‘stop’ and I’ll move on to Blackbeard.”

 

“No.”

 

“What was that, Izzy? I believe you’ve forgotten to address me properly.”

 

“No, sir.” Izzy spat out the words like they were acid on his tongue. He wasn’t bothering to keep the hatred and disgust off his face. Izzy had offered Torres his compliance, not his submission.

 

He worked to undo his tie, subtly slipping the ring from the knot with a practiced sleight of hand and tucking it into his pants pocket. The piece of jewelry was small, perhaps insignificant at a glance, but it was special to him and he wanted to keep it with him as long as possible. His waistcoat came next, and then his shirt, and finally Izzy was kneeling before Torres, stripped to the waist. He heard someone’s breath catch in their throat as the mangled ruins of his back was bared to the world. He’d been flogged several times before and his back was made up of tangled knots of scar tissue.

 

While he’d been stripping, Ed had been untied from the mast and brought over to kneel with the rest of the prisoners. Torres grabbed Izzy by the upper arm and hauled him over to the mast. The first mate had expected to be tied to it, but no one came forth bearing rope. Perhaps this was just another part of Torres’ game, where he pretended Izzy had a choice.

 

“Ready?” He asked.

 

“Do your worst.” Izzy snarled.

 

The first blow came down without further warning. Izzy cried out as the cat’s tails bit into his skin, the knots tied in them cutting all the deeper. Again and again they came down. Izzy buried his face in the mast and bit his lip, trying his best to remain silent and salvage what little dignity he had left. But it wasn’t long before he was hurting so bad that he couldn’t stop himself from whimpering and moaning. He was crying from the sheer pain of it, a fact Izzy was only aware of when he noticed the wood of the mast had grown damp under his cheek. It hurt so bad and his legs trembled as he struggled to keep standing. Another blow came down, biting so painfully that Izzy could swear it had hit bone. His legs buckled and Izzy fell to his knees, still clutching the mast.

 

“You want me to stop?” Torres asked, kindly.

 

Izzy shook his head desperately, not trusting himself to speak without his voice quavering. No. Don’t stop. If he stopped, he’d move onto Ed and Izzy couldn’t let his captain come to harm.

 

“Then get back on your feet.”

 

His legs wouldn’t cooperate with him the first two times and he only ended falling to his knees again. The third time he managed to stay up and it was only by virtue of his fingernails digging hard into the splintering mast that Izzy was able to stay standing.

 

The flogging continued and it was only when someone interrupted did Torres stop again.

 

“Enough! You’re going to kill him!” Jim shouted.

 

Torres didn’t immediately reply and Izzy chanced a look backwards. Jim was on their feet looking fierce, even as a man struggled to force them back down to their knees. Torres considered them for a moment.

 

“Yes.” He finally said. “Yes, I suppose I am. And wouldn’t that be a shame? Shall we find something else for him to do, then? Or something for you to do, perhaps?”

 

Torres had stepped very closely into Jim’s space and the pirate responded by spitting at him. Disgusted, Torres wiped their saliva off his cheek. “Oh, relax, doll, you’re not my type.”

 

He turned and again crossed the deck, stroking a hand through Izzy’s hair. “Neither are you, but I don’t imagine my boys are very picky.”

 

Torres grabbed him by the upper arm, tight enough to bruise, pulled him off the mast and flung him to his hands and knees on the deck. Izzy cried out as he hit the ground, the muscles in his back pulling and widening the lashes he’d received. He was facing the crew again and Izzy didn’t look up, not daring to meet their eyes to see the disgust he was sure he’d find there. He deserved it. He was weak. A good pirate would have taken the flogging with nary a whimper. Ed would already be on his feet again.

 

“He’s all yours. Do as you like with him.” Torres said.

 

Slowly, one of the crew came towards him, his footsteps tentative on the deck as if he wasn’t sure he’d really been granted permission. He picked up Izzy’s right hand, the one on which he still wore his glove.

 

“You didn’t remove this.” He said.

 

“Don’t touch it.” Izzy tried to snarl but his voice would only come out as a whisper and it sounded more like a plea than an order.

 

Of course, the pirate ignored it regardless and took off Izzy’s glove, seizing his wrist when the first mate tried to pull his hand away. The majority of the skin on his hand was an angry red, burn marks marring his flesh. The nails on that hand were brittle and blackened. It had been set on fire once and Izzy had almost lost it. And wouldn’t that be ironic, he’d thought. Izzy Hands, the man with only one hand.

 

The pirate gawked at it, grinning. “That’s fucking gross, man. No wonder you cover that up.”

 

It wasn’t shame that had made him cover it, it was sheer practicality. Forever after he’d been burned, the skin had been incredibly sensitive and wearing the glove was the only thing that let him maintain the utility of it.

 

A second pirate had come over to study it, staring at him like he was some sort of zoo animal. It really didn’t warrant that kind of attention. Hadn’t they ever seen burn scars before?

 

“Hey,” Said the second pirate. “Hold his hand still. I’ve got an idea.”

 

Izzy’s stomach turned. He didn’t like the sound of that.

 

The pirate stood up and brought the heel of his boot down hard onto Izzy’s already damaged hand. The sounds of breaking bone were lost under Izzy’s scream as pain exploded up his arm. They let him go and Izzy swiftly pulled his broken hand to his chest, cradling it as he whimpered.

 

“That’s nothing.” Scoffed a third pirate. “Let me show you something actually fun.”

 

Izzy had curled up onto his side after his hand had been stomped on, but a boot to his ribs rolled him back over onto his stomach. They kicked his legs apart and someone tugged his pants down to his ankles and Izzy’s blood ran cold as he realized what they were about to do. Jim yelled at them to stop and he was pretty sure he could hear Lucius’ and Stede’s voices joining the mix. Izzy could recognize Ed’s voice, even muffled behind his gag and it was hearing him that halted the ‘stop’ on his lips. He couldn’t say that, couldn’t say no. Not unless he wanted to watch this be done to his captain. Izzy’s job was to keep Ed safe. He wouldn’t let that happen to him.

 

There were sharp yelps as the protesters were kicked into silence and Izzy lay mute as the first one thrust into him. It hurt, like being sliced in two from the inside out and Izzy clawed desperately at the boards beneath him, trying to get away. The thrusts were harsh, animal-like and uncaring for his comfort. Izzy bit down on the flesh of his own arm, not trusting himself with the ability to speak, for he knew if he did he’d start begging them to stop.

 

The first one finished and then another one took his place and another and another until Izzy was sure that it would never end. Eventually they did stop and Izzy was left to lie face down on the deck, ruined, covered in dried blood, a viscous goo leaking from his ass. He could feel it sticky on his thighs and he didn’t know how much of it was cum and how much was blood. Even if he’d had the strength to lift his head, he wouldn’t have.

 

“I suppose that’s enough for the evening. You can return those people to their ship and cut them loose. They’re of no further use to me. Take Blackbeard and Izzy to the brig. There’s quite a reward on their heads, after all.”

 

Izzy didn’t have the energy left to yell at Torres for breaking his promise. But then he really should’ve seen that coming, shouldn’t he? Ed had driven Torres to piracy, and Izzy should know better than anyone that pirates were never honest.

Notes:

I do not apologize for the cruel cliffhanger <3

Also I know you canonically see Izzy's hand without his glove and it's fine but consider ✨angst✨