Actions

Work Header

Marked Me Like a Bloodstain

Summary:

Manon Corvin is many things; a survivor, a fighter and a problem to anyone who stands in her way. She will not give up until she has everything she asked for.

She moves to Duskwood to save Hannah, her friends and the man she’s falling for, Jake. Together they will face their demons, the human kind and the ones that haunt them in the middle of the night. There are many battles to fight before they can win the war. The worst is yet to come and Manon does not plan to lose. She lost in the past and still wears the scars.

Desire burns bright and hot amidst the blood and threat of death. It’s delicate and will change both of their lives. Manon can only hope she can stop Jakes past from catching up to them and pray that hers stays where it belongs, if this dark town doesn’t tear them apart first.

A shameless love story with a side of mystery solving and suspense. Not a retelling of the game, the bones remain the same but a complete retelling would be boring. An alternate ending to the game and a different villain.

Notes:

A warning before you read this Fic.

This is romance focused with plot on the side, it is not a slow burn romance, it’s not quite insta love but they have been falling for each other online so when they meet they already have feelings for each other. I’m not going to slow them down.

My characters aren’t teenagers, they’re adults so they will face adult situations and there will be bad language, explicit scenes and violence. All future sexual scenes will be consensual and very much wanted though.

The MC is Manon Corvin, pronounced Muh-Non and this is from her point of view. Expect lots of inner musings and dialogue, dirty thoughts and overthinking.

One last thing, this is not a full length chapter, it’s an introduction into the mind of Manon Corvin.

With that out of the way, please enjoy and leave a comment if you wish!

Chapter 1: No one likes a mad woman, you made her like that

Chapter Text

 


”What did you think I’d say to that?

Does a scorpion sting when fighting back?

They strike to kill and you know I will

What do you sing on your drive home?

Do you see my face in the neighbours lawn?

Does she smile? Or does she mouth,

Fuck You Forever.”

*******

Mad Woman - Taylor Swift 

 

 

 

*********

 

It had been a wet, listless day in Duskwood, the cool hands of spring not quite loosening their grip as summer tried to make its debut. Creeping mists settled over the forest like a blanket, shielding it from her suspicious eyes and making the town feel cut off from the rest of the world. The sky was a livid bruise over head, shades of black and purple, veins of red and pink making it all the more dramatic.

 

Manon Corvin stood on the outskirts, staring into the tangle of tree limbs, stupidly expecting the one she hunted to appear before her but she was completely alone. Still she watched and waited. It was as if she were at the site of an accident, knowing she shouldn’t but unable to look away and offer dignity in that moment. The scent of the forest was intense here, rich earth, pine needles and decaying foliage creating a heavy perfume that made her nose twitch. She sighed deeply, her breath clouding in the cold evening air as she turned her back on the menacing sight and faced the town proper.

 

Duskwood was a beautiful place, a kaleidoscope of colour amongst all the green, a tiny town hiding a dark history under a pretty veneer. The quaint store fronts and perfect flower displays doing their best to cover it up but she saw traces of that darkness everywhere she looked. She had seen so many terrible things happen here she didn't allow herself to trust the warm, welcoming feel of the town. No, she knew all too well it hid its sharpened claws and teeth underneath the petals and purple-pink skies, knew if she wasn’t careful it would swallow her whole.

 

Strolling back down the street she passed a few locals, all of them eyeing her as if she was an apparition, an alien transplanted here from another world and knew that in their eyes she was. She stuck out here where everyone knew everyone else by sight. No doubt the whole town would know a stranger was in their midst by morning. Thanks to the maniac hunting in this place everyone here was too aware, especially  of random people stalking the streets at night. It wasn’t a bad thing to be watchful, she just wished she could use it to her advantage. Pulling her hood over her head to cover her distinctive white hair, she made her way back to the motel. Thankfully she hadn’t strayed too far.

 

Manon had reached the parking lot when she felt curious eyes on her, the hair on the back of her neck lifting in warning. She stopped, suddenly uneasy as she turned in a slow circle, eyes scanning her surroundings, taking in details and dismissing them, finding nothing but her own paranoia. She was completely alone as the last dregs of dusk left the sky, even the locals had scattered taking any sense of safety she’d felt with them. Refusing to let her over anxious mind take over, she chided herself and steeled her spine, striding confidently across the lot to the motel door and let herself into her room.

 

Jake would lose his mind if he knew she was out alone in Duskwood at night, especially because she’d promised to stay far from here. Locking the door behind her and closing the blinds, ensuring the window was locked as well. Safe but feeling caged in she threw herself onto the bed and grabbed her phone off the nightstand. Pulling her hair out of its ponytail, sighing in relief as the weight of it was released and she massaged her scalp. 

 

The motel wasn’t the best she’d stayed in but it was clean and cheap, though she needn’t worry about money it did help to ensure it was booked full enough for her to hide here unseen for a few days. She planned to meet her friends soon but had wanted a few days on her own to set things in motion. Manon wanted to observe them from the sidelines before inserting herself into their lives in a tangible way and see if there was room for her in their real life. Plus she didn’t want Jake to get wind of her being here yet, knew her friends couldn’t keep a secret this big with him watching their chats.

 

As was usual these days, her mind circled back to him and she opened the messenger app, checking for new texts and found a few. Jessy asking if she had any news as she’d been quiet that day. She fired off a quick reply and opened the ones from Jake, finding three waiting for her.

 

Jake: How are things going on your end, Manon? How are you feeling? :)

 

Jake: I have made preparations for the next part of our investigation, are you available to discuss them?

 

And then, a worried tone coating every typed word.

 

Jake: Manon, please let me know if you’re okay. I can’t focus on anything when I’m worried about you. 

 

Manon smiled softly, his worry for her was touching but she was terrified he’d try to track her location if she left him hanging much longer. Her mouth twisting at the lies she had to tell him until she was ready to show her hand. Thumbs flying across the screen as anxiety won, her lie coming easier than it should’ve and watched as he instantly came online. 

 

Manon: Hey, Jake! I’m absolutely fine. I’m so sorry, I fell asleep and just woke up. I didn’t mean to worry you.

 

He started typing immediately and she held her breath, stupidly waiting for him not to believe her, sighing in relief and regret when he did.

 

Jake: :). You don’t have to apologise. 

 

Jake: How was your day?

 

She grinned at his attempt at small talk, he hadn’t gotten any better but she still loved it and couldn’t wait to speak to him in person, to see if he spoke that way in real life.

 

Manon: My day was good, long and boring but good all the same, how was yours?

 

It was true, the flight here had felt long and dull, the day she’d spent here even more so. Tiredness addled her mind as she toed off her boots and crawled under the covers, not bothering to change out of her clothes her body was so heavy with fatigue. 

 

Jake: Apart from worrying about you mine was similar, my days are always endless when you’re not around, Manon.

 

She hummed in pleasure at his reply. He had an almost Shakespearean air to him, he was both romantic and awkward but she found it endearing since it took her so long to get him to open up.

 

Manon: I’m here now, do you have time to chat?

 

Jake: I don’t but I’ve made time for you.

 

Manon: Aw you’re sweet. Okay tell me one good thing and one bad thing that happened to you today? 

 

It was a thing they had started, at the end of each day they traded their bad and good as an excuse to keep talking and to find something bright even on the hardest of days.

 

Jake: Hmm, the bad thing would have to be the Chinese place forgetting to include my fortune cookie. My good thing is knowing that you’re safe at home.

 

Her stomach gave a sickening lurch, guilt festering and twisting her up in knots. Her thumbs were hesitant as they typed a reply.

 

Manon: How do I compete with that?

 

Jake: it’s not a competition ;). Tell me, Manon.

 

Manon: Okay, the worst thing was putting my house on the market, I’ll be sad to see it go. Positive? I’m in bed at last and talking to you  

 

Truth mixed with lies. She wasn’t sad about selling her home, she was glad to see the back of it and start fresh. Start over in a place where no one knew her face and the people didn’t watch her with pity in their gaze as she passed by. 

 

Jake: Why are you selling your house if you’ll be sad?

 

Manon: Because I need a change of scenery, a lot of bad things happened here too and I no longer wish to be reminded of them.

 

Jake: Would you like to talk about it? I’d be happy to listen.

 

She chewed on her lip, wishing she could tell him of the things that kept her awake, haunting her in the middle of the night but she didn’t want to have that hard conversation over texts.

 

Manon: I will, one day but not right now. I don’t want to spoil my happiness.

 

Jake: I understand :). What are you doing now?

 

Manon: I’m wishing I’d thought to order Chinese food. Now you’ve mentioned it, I’m starving!

 

Jake: Would you like me to send you some?

 

Her breath caught, shit, did he know where she lived? It wouldn’t be surprising given his skill set, he seemed to care enough for her to do that and she hadn’t had that in a long time. 

 

Manon: Nah it’s fine, I’m too cozy to get up and answer my door but thank you! Did you look me up, Jake?

 

Jake: No need to thank me, I just want to make sure you’re looking after yourself, you’re dealing with a lot. Yes, only your home address, in case I ever needed it but that’s all, I promise. 

 

Manon: I know and I’m grateful for you, nobody else cares the way you do.

 

Jake: That’s not true, you have your friends in Duskwood too.

 

Manon: Yeah but I don’t trust them the way I trust you, at least not yet. You’re the only one who cares enough to ask how I’m doing.

 

Jake: Manon…

 

Manon: Are you blushing again? I can feel it from here. 

 

She chuckled, making him uncomfortable was a pleasurable past time of hers, he rarely reacted but when she poked and prodded enough he opened up to her and always said such pretty things.

 

Jake: I don’t deserve the faith you have in me but I’ll be selfish and let you keep it.

 

Manon: I never cared for religion, I find faith in people I care about and myself. What about you? You mentioned Chinese food but have you been sleeping? I worry about you too

 

Jake: I caught two hours earlier and that’s all I need to keep going.

 

She frowned, wishing he could read her emotions through the screen. 

 

Manon: Jake, that’s not enough. Get to sleep! I won’t be responsible for keeping you awake.

 

Jake: I’d rather talk to you than waste time with something as boring as sleeping.

 

She wished she could stay up all night talking to him but her long day had caught up-to her, exhaustion weighing her down in the bed and making her eyes burn in their sockets.

 

Manon: Just promise me you’ll try to sleep some more? Exhaustion makes us sloppy, trust me. I may fall asleep again, don’t worry if I do. 

 

Jake: Sleep, Manon. I’ll be here when you wake.

 
She stopped fighting against the weight of her eyelids and fell into an exhausted sleep, a soft smile still playing on her mouth after his promise. When he’d been on the run she’d been terrified, thought she’d never talk to him again and it had felt like he’d dropped off the face of the earth. Manon had despised it so deeply she’d asked him to promise he’d always find a way to let her know he was safe, it had translated into him promising her he’d be there the moment she woke every night. It eased her into sleep far quicker than any of the pills her therapist had prescribed her. 

 

************



The peace didn’t last, her dreams becoming a torment.

 

She found herself in the middle of the forest with no idea how she’d got there. Darkness pressing in around her as she raced through it on bare, bloody feet frantically trying to find her way back out. Branches snagged on her clothes and whipped at her face, snarling in her long hair as she fought her way through the pines. Her head swivelling side to side trying to catch a glimpse of whatever it was she was running from.



She didn’t see the tree root, so focused on what was behind her she forgot to check in front of her.

 

Manon tripped, a surprised yell lodged in her throat as she went flying. Her body curling in on itself to absorb the blow as she hit the ground and rolled and rolled. She came to a stop on her back, blinking dumbly at the sky as she mentally scanned herself for any injuries and finding none she pushed herself to her feet. Her breath sawing in and out of her chest as she took in her surroundings, heart in her throat as she strained to hear the one who chased her.

 

She’d fallen into a small clearing, finally able to see the sky above her instead of trees and it was then she spotted the memorial, the large boulder sitting prominently in the centre. The gold plaque gleamed under the light of the crescent moon, she crept closer to it on careful feet, bending over so it was at eye level, squinting as she tried to make out the writing but the moon hid behind a cloud. She was blind now. Her hearing sharpening when a twig snapped behind her.

 

Silence followed briefly, so quiet she swore it was deafening. She whirled as a dark laugh wound its way through the trees, she stood straight preparing to fight though she was weaponless. As he stepped into the clearing she finally saw the mask, the jute bag crudely sewn together to hide his identity.

 

Ice doused her insides, helplessness a bitter taste in her mouth she watched as he stepped into the clearing, his hand hidden behind his back. He said her name but that’s all she heard, fight or flight battling within her and neither winning as music cut through the night, startling her and drowning out whatever he was saying. Stupidly, she looked around for the source of it but found none, her eyes snapping back to the masked nightmare as he raised his arm. Her eyes had adjusted to the darkness now and she could see the gun clearly, fear froze her where she stood. 

 

Manon’s keen eyes saw his finger wrap around the trigger a second before the shot rang out, saw the bullet speeding towards her as though on a time lapse and knew it was inevitable. There was no time to move or avoid it, there never was. The bullet ripped through her shoulder, blood and bone both giving way to lead and the force of it knocking her down, an anguished scream tearing her throat. 

 

Sprawled in the mud, her life’s blood spreading macabre wings beneath her, warming her even as everything inside turned cold. Her eyes trained on the sky as the masked man stood above her, the barrel of the gun aimed at her chest and she didn’t feel it hit her when he pulled the trigger one last time. She only felt something vital wink out and she was thankfully numb. He simply stood there watching as she choked on her own blood, that damn music still echoing in her ears before everything went blessedly black.

Chapter 2: I keep a record of the wreckage in my mind

Summary:

Manon heads into town, rattled from her macabre dreams and sets the ball rolling for the case to progress. Working towards keeping her friends safe too. Chats with a jealous Jake, Jessy kicks off and Manon is stuck between what she knows should be done and what others want her to do. It was never going to be easy, the war wounds are just beginning to show and cracks between our gang appear to widen beyond repair.

Notes:

I’ve had to split this up into two parts as it was getting way too long, the next one will be up very soon, the fourth chapter is partially written as well. From here the timeline is skewed and changed to fit my plot. Before we met Manon many things have already happened, Richy being marked, Jessy's attack, Lilly and MC solved Jakes puzzle and Cleo receives the warning letter. The plot lines from the game are used but they’re twisted around and changed somewhat, some stay the same but some won’t. A complete retelling of everything would be incredibly boring.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

“I've tasted blood and it is sweet

I've had the rug pulled beneath my feet

I've trusted lies and trusted men

Broke down and put myself back together again

Stared in the mirror and punched it to shatters,

collected the pieces and picked out a dagger.

 

I'm no sweet dream but I'm a hell of a night.”

 

Nightmare (Reprise) – Halsey x NiN

 

********

 

 

 

 

 

Manon surfaced from sleep gulping for breath. Her body bolting upright, sweat soaked sheets mirroring the feel of blood on her skin and panic clawing at her chest as she fought free of them, the music echoing still like a death knell. Weak sunlight filtered through a crack in the blinds, dazzling her as she struggled to find the source of the racket. Realizing it was her phone alarm only when someone thumped on the wall behind her, a muffled shout, “Shut the fuck up!” Coming through the thin plaster. Hands trembling as she fumbled with the phone and silenced it. The sudden quiet interrupted only by her harsh panting as she tried to get a grip of herself.

 

“Sorry!” She croaked, shame making her cheeks heat, her throat ragged and raw, she needed water. Had to calm her racing heart and check she was fine.


All but throwing herself out of bed as she ran to the bathroom and filled a glass with water, drank it down and then refilled it. Sipping at that one slowly as she finally felt brave enough to look in the mirror. Startled by the ghost looking back her. 

 

Her green eyes had gone dull, honey tinted skin ashen and coated in a sheen of cold sweat. Long white hair a tangled mess as if she actually had been running through the forest. Her shaking hand went to her left shoulder, fingers pressing and prodding expecting them to come away blood stained but they were clean. Nothing but a phantom echo of the pain she’d felt in the dream.

 

It had all felt so real. The pain and shock and fear of it all so similar to what she remembered feeling the day her life was forever altered. So much alike she’d been apprehensive to check it in the mirror. Her fingers dropped to her right hip, searching under her shirt until she felt the ragged skin there, knew the worst of it was on her back where the exit wounds had been and shuddered as her mind tried to drag her back to that night. Hand dropping back to her side as she pieced her frazzled mind back together.

 


She was rattled though. It didn’t seem to matter who or what the monster was in her nightmares, she always got shot at the end. Whenever she was stressed or over tired she relived it in new settings, her executioner always changing but the blood tasted the same. 

 

Manon had been twenty-four the day she learned the true monsters lurked unseen amongst us, wearing the skin of humanity but feeling no empathy under it. All the supernatural beings and monsters of horror were never truly able to capture the terror humans could unleash upon each other.

 

Six years had passed since that day, the memories never losing their clarity, though the emotion attached had dulled somewhat. No longer breaking her down for weeks at a time whenever something triggered her. Manon gave herself a mental shake and refused to dwell any longer on it today. So she set down her glass and turned on the shower. She’d feel better once she was clean and warm.

 

Stood under the flow of blessedly hot water, she went over her plans for the day, knowing any mistakes she made could be lethal. It was a heavy burden and enough to make her want to crawl back into bed. The last traces of fear seeping down the drain as her mind focused on things she could control.

 

Feeling human once again she turned the water off and wrapped herself in a towel before padding back into the bedroom. Eyeing her rumpled case of clothes disdainfully, she’d left it lying open on the floor at the end of the bed yesterday, too tired to sort it. She knelt to sift through the mess for something to wear, deciding on her comfiest black jeans and a white raglan shirt with red sleeves. Manon knew the day would be a long one, hours spent sitting in hard chairs and stuffy offices. After rough drying her hair she began tying it back in two Dutch braids, feeling stronger once it was done and even more so once she threw on some light makeup. The routine of it all soothing, something familiar in this strange place. 

 

Manon laced her boots and threw on her leather jacket, her heavy satchel thumping against her hip as she left the motel. Hanging a “Do not clean” sign on the door after she locked it, not wanting anyone entering whilst she was gone. She smiled slightly as she crossed the parking lot, studiously ignoring the forest at her back, pleased to be outside and able to stretch her legs. Deciding to walk instead of calling a taxi since the weather was pleasant, a slight chill left over from the night before. The sun having hidden for now. Sticking her earbuds in and hitting shuffle on her newest playlist, she headed up the road to meet with one of the men her plans relied on. The map Jake had uploaded for her clutched in her hand, checking the screen every now and again so she wouldn’t get lost. 

 

 

***

 

 

Manon wanted to grab the pin tacks off of this man’s desk and push them into her eyes, slowly. She had been locked in this tiny office feeling trapped and irritated for more than two hours. The town’s real estate office had turned out to be a room in the back of a family home and where she found herself currently. She was signing paperwork, page one hundred thousand it felt to her. The realtor, a Mr. Andrew Kyle, sat across from her smiling condescendingly at her as he unnecessarily explained the parts she was signing for the thirteenth time. The next time he did it, she glared at him, daring him to continue, her grip on the pen bleaching her knuckles white. He made his smartest decision yet and left her alone. Murmuring about getting her a coffee, she only grunted her agreement to that idea and relaxed slightly as he left the room.

 

Huffing out a breath she quickly went through the last of the papers, if all went smoothly everything would be ready and set up for when she pulled the trigger. Eyeing the list of amenities she realized some would have to share, but it was the best she could pull off in a town this size on such short notice. It would have to be enough.


The girls could share together, so could the boys she mused, though Jake would be a problem. Knowing he barely slept, she doubted he’d want to share with anyone else, if he’d even show up. No, he would, she refused to believe otherwise. They just couldn’t solve this case the way they’d been going, it had to be personal now. Really personal, she hoped with a grin. Her overactive imagination creating a sensual slideshow of long sleepless nights, hands caught up in her hair and sharp teeth scraping against her neck. 

 

Tugging on the leash of her wandering mind, she inked her signature on the last page and placed the pen down. Her stiff knuckles cracking as she flexed them and turned when the realtor came back into his office. Handing her a steaming mug of coffee which she accepted with a genuine thanks. She immediately took a sip and roasted her tongue, but the coffee was good. Watching the man that held the keys to her success take his seat, she shoved the papers towards him and waited. And waited. 

 

Andrew Kyle was an older man, at least twenty years her senior and had a smarmy look about him. She felt weird around him, he eyed her as though she was a stupid little girl and it made her hackles rise. His watery grey eyes would look her up and down, completely unimpressed by her and she’d have to practically clamp her mouth shut to keep from shouting obscenities at him. 

“Is everything in order?” She asked, tone sharp and cutting when he held his silence. Distrustful of the curious gleam in his eye. 

 

“Yes, Ms Corvin,” A pregnant pause and a muscle in her jaw began to tick, “forgive me, but I do wonder if there is something nefarious going on here. This is all highly unusual.” He glanced at his hands laced on top of the desk then studied her. Searching for the answers on her face but she gave nothing away and he went on.  

 

“I simply mean the urgency of it, you’re paying more than the original cost to ensure it’s done by your extremely tight deadline.” 

 

Manon crossed her legs, face hardening as she leaned forward and stared daggers at the man. Shutting him down swift and hard. “I’d think the sum you received would satisfy that curiosity. I’d appreciate your continued discretion on this matter, especially since you've already signed the agreement to keep this to yourself, would I have involved my attorney if I was up to anything shady?” Her curt tone turning low and seductive as she smiled a sickly sweet smile at the man. 

 

“Unless you’d like to speak with her again? I can have her call you later today to remind you of the consequences if you break the agreement, Andrew.”

 

He visibly gulped, head shaking wildly as he swore he’d keep it quiet.

 

“That won’t be necessary, I gave my word, Ms Corvin. I apologize for overstepping.” He was sweating but managed to keep his voice steady, impressing her, “ I’ll call you the moment the keys are returned, shouldn’t be more than a few days.”

 

He looked positively terrified at the prospect of seeing her again and she smirked, nodding her acceptance as she strode to the door. Throwing a goodbye over her shoulder before walking out and into the streets of Duskwood, satisfaction warming her as she headed down to the bank.

 

 

***

 

Manon practically ran out of the bank, sick of being shut inside. More precious time spent going over her accounts, withdrawing enough to keep everything going if her access was cut off. She’d have to make a few more withdrawals to be sure. The manager had been pleasant enough, her tolerance for this aspect of her life was supremely low however and her mood had soured further the longer she sat there. 

 

The day had gotten gloriously warm while she’d been locked in his office. This one much nicer than the last but still on the small side. The golden warmth of sunlight ghosting over her cheekbones as she tilted her face towards it, closing her eyes as she breathed deeply and shook off the long morning. It was just past noon and the chill left over from last night had burned off while she’d been stuck inside and she now felt too warm under her leather jacket. 

 

Moving to sit on a bench near the water fountain, she sank down and sighed through her nose. Manon knew she should keep going, wanted to tick more items off her list, but more than that she wanted to see who had messaged her. Her phone had vibrated in her pocket while she’d been in the bank unable to open it.


Her fevered imagination hoping it was Jake, though he hadn’t messaged her yet today despite his promise last night. She knew he was busy though, and tried not to dwell, though it was hard when her traitorous thoughts always came back to him.

 

Manon wanted to know what his days looked like, to see him in his element and just lay her eyes on him. Would he be tall and thin? Short and built? Would he take milk in his coffee or sugar in his tea? She could add black hair to her imaginary Jake, that’ was all he’d let slip when she’d pried. Most of all she wanted to hear his true voice, it was one of the only things she couldn’t fill in the blanks for. The distortion he used to speak to her always drowned out whatever she tried to imagine. Her palms were itching at the need to check if it were him. 

She didn’t dare do it though, not while sitting here. She had taken to smiling back at the many eyes watching her as they went past her, locals rubbernecking to get a good look at the strange slip of a woman haunting the town square. She was drawing far too much attention and settled on visiting the famous Rainbow Café, hoping to see Cleo.

 

Luckily the café was only three doors down from the bank and was busy enough that she wouldn't stand out too much, but not so busy that she couldn't get her own table. She ordered before settling in the back corner and unlocked her phone to see if Jake was online, butterflies swarming in her stomach when he was. She sent him a quick hello before hurriedly dropping it to her lap it when she spied the waitress bringing her caramel latte, thanking her with a genuine smile as she inhaled the scent of fresh coffee and sipped this one cautiously and had to bite back a moan it was that good. No wonder Cleo came here so often! Sadly, Miss Forest Excursion was nowhere to be seen. 

 

She almost jumped out of her skin when her phone buzzed, trying not to cringe when she noticed a lively woman watching her, she was holding court with a group of ladies and Manon got the sense this was the town gossip circle. An invaluable resource in small towns, they knew everyone and everything, she decided to visit again in the hopes of overhearing something that would help her set this town to rights. Glancing back at her phone, she smiled at his reply.

 

Jake:  Good morning, Manon :). How are you feeling today?

 

Manon: I'm okay, how are you getting on? Are you still safe?

 

Jake: I am, thanks to you I have more freedom than I've had in years. I can actually leave my room and walk around at night.

 

Manon: :) I'm so glad! Just at night?

 

Jake: It would be foolish of me to go out during the day too often. What are your plans for the remainder of today?

 

She chuckled, gods he was so formal it was like texting with the Queen at times.

 

Manon: I haven’t decided yet. I'm having coffee right now though after a very long and dull morning. Realtors and bank managers are not my type of people! 

 

Jake: Poor you. I hope the rest of your day is more pleasurable :).

 

Manon: Mmm me too. I’m sick of scowling at everyone. If you were with me it definitely would be…

 

She bit her lip to keep from giggling as he kept deleting whatever he was typing, had known he would react this way and the reason she'd said it. Anything to fluster him, he was always so chill and unbothered, she couldn’t help the surge of pride whenever she got a reaction. It was her turn to be caught off balance, hiding her flushed face in her coffee mug.

 

Jake: I'd do just about anything to make you smile, Manon. I'm envious of the people who get to see you every day.

 

Manon: You're dangerously charming when you want to be! You only have to message me to make me smile. Seriously, I look like an idiot right now.

 

Jake: That pleases me :). 

 

Manon felt as though he'd crawled inside her head and set a fire, burning away all her insecurities and infusing her with nothing but certainty. How he’d managed it so quickly, she’d never know but he had. She was writing back when the conversation across from her broke through her Jake induced haze. Her eyes stayed locked on her phone as she eavesdropped, knew she’d been right in her assessment when she’d first spotted them. 

 

"... cant believe it, Mary, she was a lovely young woman." 

 

"Was she the one that rode around on her bike? Blonde hair?"

 

"Yes! Amy Bell Lewis, Eileen told me, she works at the station."

 

"Goodness me, that's the second body found in those damn woods in the last 10 years!"

 

Manon went very still. Amy Bell Lewis, they finally had a name and she couldn’t tell them yet. Her heart kicked into a gallop as she typed the name into her notes app and a quick google search told her the information hadn't been made public yet, a press conference was planned for later today with the Duskwood Police Chief. Manon shoved her phone in her bag and left the cafe, rushing back to the motel as quickly as her feet would carry her.

 

 

***

 


Manon had stupidly thought the threatening letter and creepy photos sent to Cleo’s mother would be the worst thing she’d have to deal with this week but a new development changed everything. A missed call from Phil and no answer when she rang back. The group chat suddenly blowing up as she got comfortable in bed, settling in for a long conversation when faced with an inconsolable Jessy. She was utterly astounded. It was beginning to feel as if she had been assigned to lead the worst group project ever conceived and she was the only one bothering to follow the rules. 

 

Jessy: Guys! Phil's been arrested! The police just stormed the Aurora like he was some gangster and took him away in handcuffs! 

 

Dan: What. The. Fuck.

 

Richy: . . . What?

 

Manon: You have got to be kidding me, Jessy! What the hell? 

 

Jessy: I wish I was joking, Manon. I have no idea what’s happened. 

 

Manon felt remorse creep into her heart as she thought back on the chat with Richy, Cleo and Thomas and their shared suspicions about Phil. The timing of his arrest seemed a little too convenient.

 

Cleo: That’s awful Jessy, I’m so sorry. 

 

Richy: Did they say why they arrested him, Jessy? 

 

Lilly: Because of Hannah? 

 

Manon: I’d like to know that too, actually, did he ever act suspicious about Hannah or anything?

 

Jessy: No! Never! The police refused to tell me anything on the phone. 

 

Jessy: I thought my sister would come to help but she's too busy with work, she's trying to find him a lawyer. I’m sorry I have to go down there! I have to find out why they did this. 

 

Jessy went offline 

 

Richy: I was not expecting that development.

 

Cleo: I can’t say I’m surprised, remember how he acted at the Aurora? 

 

Thomas: Well to be fair we did break in...

 

Manon: Let’s just wait for her to get back, I don’t feel right discussing this without her. 

 

Cleo: There is no way for her to see this neutrally now, it’s too personal for her. 

 

Manon: Yeah but still, she’s always in the middle. 

 

Richy: That’s true…. Adios for now, I guess.

 

 Manon closed their chat, opened Jakes and asked him if he’d followed along. 

 

Jake: Indeed. This complicates matters.

 

Manon: Yeah, I don’t know where to go from here, I did not see this coming, we should have though. That's what scares me. 

 

Jake: True, it seems the police were holding back. They know more than we assumed and that is our mistake. 

 

Manon: No. That's not it, this reeks of desperation.

 

Jake: Hmm. What makes you think that?

 

Manon: I’ve seen it so many times, Jake. They're covering their asses. Trying to ease the fear this masked idiot is spreading through the people that live there. Tourists don't like to be reminded of murder when they spend their cash. They went far too long with nothing, they have to be seen doing something.

 

Jake: It does seem hasty. Unfortunately I'm unable to see what they have on him just now. I trust your judgement though.

 

Manon: Let me think on it. There has to be something we’re missing. 

 

Manon: Oh, Phil tried to call me just before it, I didn't get to the phone on time sadly. I just remembered.

 

Jake: Why would he call you? You aren’t his lawyer.

 

Manon couldn't help the grin that took up residence in the light of his jealousy. He truly hated when she spoke to or about Phil.

 

Manon: Well he knows I'm investigating the case, maybe he thinks I can help? You don’t have to worry about him.

 

Jake: I don't like him, I wont deny it. There isn't much you can do from where you are, he'll have to find someone else.

 

She had walked into that one. Sinking further into her cocoon of blankets and wishing she could do away with this subterfuge but knew she shouldn't.

 

Manon: Helping him could also help us though, Jake and it would be better for me to be there. I’m useless directing everything through a screen. I can get a flight and be there in a matter of hours, I checked.

 

Jake: No. I need to keep you safe, you would be in danger here, Manon. You don't have to put yourself in the line of fire.

 

Frustration stilled her thumbs but sudden realization froze the rest of her as it sunk in, here, here, here.

 


The word echoed in her mind like a bell as she read and reread that message, putting it together with his comments from earlier and the weird moment when she was outside last night. Not Duskwood, not there but here...

 

It would be foolish of me to go out during the day too often.

 

Manon sent him a weak excuse and told him she had to go. She was barely aware of what she'd said, her heart a raging tempest in her chest, a roar of blood in her ears as it kicked up and raced along with her mind. Never had she been so glad he couldn't read emotion in text, was sure she’d sounded unhinged in her hurry to end the conversation. Manon set the phone down on the night-stand, hand trembling with adrenaline as all the pieces fell into place. Fury quickly overriding the stillness shock had thrown her into.

 

Manon rolled over onto her back, staring holes in the ceiling and groaned, annoyed at herself, she was thirty not a teenager. Why the hell was she playing along with this instead of asserting herself? She cared too much. Somewhere along the way emotion and want had entered the frame, a silly crush she thought would have passed but instead had sunk it’s claws deeper. Carving out a space for him and leaving her trying to fit his needs and wants alongside her own. If only he could see it, if only Jake would do the same instead of deciding for her. She knew it would be a big issue between them if he couldn't see it her way, they'd never move forward. 

 

***



It was now Midnight and she was busy preparing. After eating a quick dinner and stewing on Jakes unintentional confession all night, Manon had made up her mind, deciding to act now before it was too late. She had just finished getting dressed when she heard the incessant buzzing of her phone, Jessy back from the police blowing up the group conversation again. 



Jessy: I'm back, guess what the police told me?

 

Jessy: They know everything, about us investigating, Lilly's video about you even, Manon!

 

Manon: Fuck me gently, this is bad.

 

Jessy: Yep! They even know a wanted hacker is among us.

 

Her heart almost stopped, oh shit, this was the worst that could happen. She didn't care about the target on her back, just his. 


Jessy: And one of you gave evidence against Phil, I'd like to know why.


Manon could only watch as everything fell apart, friendships fracturing before her desperate eyes as Jessy accused those she felt were guilty. Nothing she said made any difference. Jessy and Richy, the two she thought would always stand shoulder to shoulder to face the wall of fire heading for them all, collapsing under the heat instead. She could only watch through Jakes spy mode as Jessy drew her line in the sand, quitting her job, ignoring Richy's pleas and went offline. Despair hit her like a truck, this was exactly what the police wanted by telling her it was one of them. She had no clue how to draw them all back together, her frenzied thoughts giving her no options. She couldn't fix it tonight, didn't have the time to.

 

Instead, she checked Jakes status, he was now offline. Perfect. It was past one in the morning now and she had to get out in the streets of Duskwood if her plan was to succeed. Manon opened her duffel bag, hand cautiously diving inside to pull out the few fighting knives she had bought in Colville. Her favourite set was on its way, her dad had gifted them to her for her 18th birthday. Choosing herself a thin dagger and strapped the sheath to her left forearm, ensuring she could access it if she attracted more than she bargained for. She shoved a slimline flashlight up her other sleeve and wrapped a black scarf across her mouth and nose. Pulling her hood over her head to hide her further. She looked like a cliché, classic cat burglar or ninja chic but she needed to blend into the dark night, nothing but a shadow.

 

Because tonight, she was going hunting.







 

 

Notes:

Thank you for reading, I hope it was enjoyable! Next chapter Manon shows off, some secrets are revealed and more drama with the gang. Things start to pick up next chapter, I’m bringing them all together as quickly as I can because I can’t be arsed coming up with new chats for much longer and I can attempt to write more than the scenery.

Chapter 3: I just follow your scent, you can just follow my smile

Summary:

Manon is on the hunt, showing off and being her best dramatic self. A conversation is had and Manon tries her best to provoke a reaction, instead, she finds she may have met her match. Part two of the previous chapter.

Notes:

Sorry this took so long! This chapter kicked my ass, it did not want to tell me how to end it and they just kept talking. I'm not 100% happy with it but I can’t look at it any longer. There is a lot of dialogue here, along with the inner musings of Manon's overactive brain and emotions. I'm essentially writing all my favorite tropes from my most loved books into one story because I can. If it's cringe I make no apologies because it makes me smile. I'd like to once again remind you this isn’t a slow-burn romance!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

You're secondhand smoke

I breathe you in, but honey, I don't know

what you're doing to me, Mon Cheri

But the truth catches up to us eventually

Try to say live, live and let live

But I'm no good, good at lip service

Except when they're yours,

Mi Amour,

 

I'm coming for you and I'm making war.”

 

*********

 

Irresistible – Fall Out Boy 

 

 

 

 

 

Duskwood revealed its true colors in the dead of night, painted in shades of black and grey and caged in by the menacing shadows cast by the forest. The cloud cloaked sky only added to the claustrophobic feel pressing down on Manon's shoulders. The few street lights scattered along the path incapable of penetrating the gloom, Manon kept away from them anyway. She was completely hidden in the trees alongside the road, blending into the shadows as she carefully picked her way among them and kept the route she'd memorized clear in her mind. It wouldn't do to get lost, she had no intention of becoming just another twisted legend of this Godforsaken place.

 

Manon made it to the natural ledge where the trees ended and stopped, her stomach a nest of snakes as she eyed the way the ground sloped down into what looked like a black pit. During the day this place was pretty, with lush green grass and nothing but forest for miles, night had rendered it into an abyss, her mind conjuring images of a gaping maw waiting to swallow her if she dared to step down. She looked over to her left and spotted the single street light that Jake's puzzle had led her and Lilly to and inwardly groaned as she looked back down into that black hole. She really didn't want to go down there, even her sharp eyes couldn't see what was waiting for her at the bottom, but she had to get down and fast. Gritting her teeth and steeling her spine, Manon made her way down, crouching slightly to keep her balance since it was steeper than it appeared, a hand held out for balance and promising herself that next time she'd choose the normal idea, not the most dramatic one. She knew she was lying to herself but it helped her climb deeper into the darkness. 

 

The air felt odd here like it was holding its breath to lure her in and her thoughts tried desperately to convince her something was waiting for her there. She had read enough horror books to know nothing good ever came of the blond girl who ran headfirst into danger, at least she wasn't running up the stairs instead of out the front door, silver linings. Manon shook her head, muttering insults at her ridiculous propensity to conjure monsters everywhere she looked, and stood straight when her feet hit flat ground, the grass muffling the sound of her steps. Manon made her way farther into the dark, ensuring that the street light with Jake's sticker on it was directly ahead of her before she knelt on her knees and settled in to set her trap.

 

“Fuck sake Manon, this is over the top, even for you,” she whispered, needing to hear something other than the oppressive silence permeating this place, her tense fingers brushing against the hilt of the dagger in reassurance. Her watchful eyes trailed along the path ahead of her as she fought to keep still, body urging her to act and an irrational impatience at his not following her secret plan. 

 

Manon chanced a look at her phone, the screen dulled until she had to squint and checked the time, then quickly strangled the thought that told her it was almost the witching hour. She examined the code she'd typed in, ensuring she had it right in her mind, and shoved her phone in her pocket just as the silence was broken and someone's shoe scuffed against the path at the top of the hill, whoever it was not bothering to keep quiet. A sly grin lit her covered face as she tracked the lone hooded figure saunter along the path, the way he moved seeming almost careless, it was a man, she was certain and a tall one at that, knew even from down here that he'd tower over her. He had a large backpack slung across his back and it looked heavy given the way his shoulders slumped. Manon had no time to dwell on it as she tugged the flashlight out of her sleeve and palmed it, body tense as she centered her breathing when the man stopped at the streetlight, his back to her. This wasn't in the plan, she narrowed her eyes as she realized what he was doing, he was pulling the Nymos sticker off and she ground her teeth in impatience. 

 

“Turn around, come on, just turn around”

 

Her words were nothing more than a puff of air but he followed her order. He turned to look in her direction as though he sensed he was being watched. Manon took a deep breath, holding it and praying to gods she didn’t believe in that he’d understand, that she wasn't a nutcase who read too many mystery novels. She raised the light, hand steady as she pointed it directly at him and sent her message. Such a simple thing Morse Code, typically done with sound but she had chosen light, nothing more than a series of short flashes mixed with longer beams of the flashlight but it never failed to amaze her, again and again, she repeated it so he knew it was intentional.

 

..-. --- .-.. .-.. --- .-- / -- . / .--- .- -.- .

Follow me, Jake


Manon silently thanked her old friend for the idea when the figure took a tentative step toward her, he'd told her a few months ago that hackers had utilized Morse code and luckily she'd been taught it before she'd started school, her father had taken her safety as a challenge. Some kids got the stranger danger lecture, Manon was taught to send secret messages and how to escape being tied up, then later how to fight her way out. She was an excellent person to have around in an emergency, not so much at sleepovers. Instead of waiting on him though, Manon turned, aiming for the path that led into the forest, breaking into a fast walk, and glanced over her shoulder to make sure he was on his way. Every so often she stopped and shone the light in an arc over her head to ensure he still followed, muted footsteps the only sign he did.

 

Once she was under the cover of the trees Manon loosed a breath, her body tense as a bowstring, eyes trained on the ground as she followed the worn dirt trail that led to the Dare House. Oh, gods, it was horrible in here, Manon's blood seemed to still each time she saw a shadow out the corner of her eye or heard a bird take flight above her. The darkness was smothering, her little light practically useless and Manon relied more on touch and hearing to guide her. Cursing blackly under her breath in an attempt to drown out the terror in her mind, she refused to let her eyes stray from the path ahead of her, the scene reminding her far too much of her nightmare, though she was more sensibly dressed and prepared now. The trees eventually began to thin, the heavy sky breaking through the canopy of leaves and she turned off the flashlight, putting it back up her sleeve, her hand now free to reach over to her other arm and slide the dagger out when she sensed him nearing. Every twig that crunched under his feet made her heart skip, anticipation haunting her down the path until she saw it at last.

 

It was far more sinister than Richy's video had shown, a chill like a many-legged insect ran down her spine and Manon had to force her feet to take her closer. It was a hulking monstrosity and looked as if someone had dropped it here randomly, for a reason no one remembered now. It truly was a place that held the power to terrify and enthrall generations of kids, childhood trauma soaked every inch of the space around it. Many feet before her own had worn a wide path around it and up to the door, evidence of the children of the town making each other do the dare and Manon followed it to the door. Luckily there were no kids here tonight as she slipped inside the house, brows rising in wonder when the old hinges didn't make a complaint, someone must've oiled them, the thought made her grip the dagger tighter. Ultimately she left the door open slightly. It was his choice to come in, she wouldn't force him and had only meant to lead him here.  


Manon backed up until her back met a wall, ripped the scarf off her sweat-slicked face, and held her breath to hear over the beat of her heart. Her eyes glued to the door as footsteps shuffled closer, not nearly as quiet as hers had been and she heard him exhale roughly. The door swung open but she was cloaked in shadow, invisible and he hesitantly stepped in. She could see he was about a foot taller than her 5"1 and well built but that was all Manon saw before the door swung closed and what little sight she had was extinguished. He didn’t make a move or speak as she let out a silent breath and advanced on him, a tantalizing idea taking root that sent a thrill through her chest. 

 

Manon was too fast for him to react as speed and strength flooded her, muscle memory kicking in and she gripped the front of his jacket in a clenched fist. Surprise gave her the advantage despite his size as she pushed him back against the door, the hand on his chest twisting up to use her forearm as a bar, holding him there, his shocked groan cutting off when she raised the hand holding the dagger. Manon held it at his neck with her knee lodged between his thighs, pressing firm to keep him pinned but not enough to hurt him and she knew he could push her away if he really wanted to. She wasn’t actually trying to hurt him, only show off a little and could feel the strength of him tensed against her body, muscles coiled as if ready to spring but he waited her out instead. The sharp blade grazed the delicate skin of his throat as his breathing hitched and Manon grinned, excitement coursed through her veins. 

 

”Hello Jake, fancy meeting you here, I'm considering making this my holiday home, do you like it?” She whispered seriously, a secret smirk in the dark as she heard him swallow then spit her name like a curse.


“Manon...”


”If you value that pretty neck, Jake, I’d stand very still and drop your hands.” 

 

There was a muffled thump and his breath hit her face as he followed her order with a huff, hands having risen to throttle her and she hummed her approval, pointedly ignoring the heat of him against every inch of her.

 

”Good,” she purred, “Let’s have a little chat, shall we?”

Manon didn't allow him to reply, she simply pulled him by his jacket and he stumbled after her as she walked them deeper into the house. Once she was sure they wouldn't be overheard if anyone happened to be outside Manon let him go and put some space between them, taking her phone out of her pocket, she turned the flash-light on and set it on the floor face down so they wouldn't end up talking the walls.

 

Finally able to see him, Manon ran her eyes over him brazenly, shamelessly ogling him, and what a pretty sight it was. In all her imaginings she’d never come close, for one she hadn't thought to picture him with a neatly trimmed beard but found she very much liked it. He seemed to loom over her despite the distance between them, her eyes tracing over his broad shoulders and a hard jawline she wanted to scratch at, feel the rough of his beard against her fingers. He hadn’t lied to her about his hair being black, it was lush and intentionally tousled, her fingertips burned with an irrational urge to sink into the thick strands, dark brows framed his shadowed eyes. Manon was utterly entranced as the mental image she'd had of him proved woefully inadequate now she was faced with reality. When her eyes met his, she thought they might be blue but wasn't entirely sure, she almost preened as he finished his slow perusal of her.

 

“You’re not what I expected.” Jake finally said, voice like silk over gravel as his heavy gaze lingered on her platinum hair and she grinned at him.

 

”Good, that would have been boring. You aren’t what I expected either.” 

 

Reluctant curiosity filled his harsh face.

 

”And what did you expect, Manon?”

 

A swarm of butterflies had rudely taken up residence low in her stomach when he said her name, his voice lowering almost to a whisper and the gruffness of it made her want to shift on her feet, she refused to show it though. Manon clasped her hands together to dampen her ridiculous urge to see if his hair was as soft as it looked and fixed an impassive mask on her face.

 

“Knowing my luck, I thought you’d turn out to be some lonely teenager, bored of his suburban life and living out your best Mr. Robot fantasy. I'm very pleased that's not the case.”

 

Jake’s lips thinned but amusement flickered in those lovely eyes, yes they were blue and intensely focused on her, the butterflies took flight again. 

 

“ I expected someone… taller.” 

 

His tone was dry and it delighted her that he was playing along so she took a step closer, head tilting back to look him in the eye. 

 

“Ah yes, the sheer size of my ego and personality can be deceiving.”

 

Manon nodded as though serious before she gave him a feral grin.

 

”We’re all the same size lying down though.”

 

She winked at him and Jake raised a brow, a ghost of a smile drawing her eye and it was harder to look away than she had anticipated. She couldn't help but think he was beautiful, in a harsh, unyielding sort of way. Manon cleared her throat, met his guarded eyes and took a deep breath, bracing herself and trying to ignore her reaction to him. Focusing instead on the unpleasantness she had to unleash.

 

“All right, I can’t wait any more, let’s hear the lecture, Jake. I'm all ears .” 

 

Her tone was deliberately provoking, poking at him to rip the band-aid off so they could confront it and move past it, she'd much rather play than fight.

 

“You’re an adult, Manon. I don’t think you need a lecture from me.”


His face said otherwise but his vocal response hadn’t been the one she’d expected.


”Oh, this is easier than I thought, huh, I had a whole speech prepared.” 

 

Shock colored her tone, her mouth turning down at the corners . Manon nodded to herself, she’d been prepared for a blow-up, how disappointing. Jake watched in disbelief as she pouted and sighed.

 

“Did you actually want one?” his voice incredulous and she chuckled, eyes twinkling with mischief as she struggled to keep them away from him. Terrified he was a hallucination and if she blinked he’d disappear. 

 

“Well, a good shouting match relieves the tension you know? Makes things less awkward if we’re at each other’s throats.” 

 

“I think you were at my throat quite effectively 5 minutes ago. Was that really necessary?” 


Jake glared at her, the effect dulled somewhat by the respect on his face, Manons smile grew wicked as she appraised him again, impressed and far more intrigued than she should be considering where they were.

 

“Oh calm down, I didn’t even break the skin. And yes, it was. For personal reasons I won’t get into right now.” 

 

Jake shook his head, though the corners of his mouth curled, eyes flashing as they traced over her face. It only made her more determined.

 

”Shall we talk about the elephant in the room then?”

 

Manon waited and watched as Jake scrubbed at his beard with his hands. She idly wondered why he hadn’t worn a mask, she hadn’t encountered anyone on her creep through Duskwood so she supposed he wouldn’t really need one this late. Jake held his silence and she sighed, frustration biting at her as he proved to be just as quiet as he was online. She felt edgy with him just standing there staring at her.

 

“Speak your mind, Jake. I promise, I wont hold it against you.”

 

Jake huffed a laugh, he didn't seem to know what to make of her as she crept closer to him, leaving a foot of space between them. Manon sat cross legged on the floor and gestured for him to sit in front of her. She thought he was going to ignore her but after a long, awkward moment he gave a long suffering sigh and folded his long legs under him, their knees were almost touching. The space between their bodies felt incredibly intimate and she had to hold still to stop herself from leaning closer into him. Manon decided to start things off before she did something stupid like climb into his lap and ask him to tell her stories in that sexy voice of his. Jake was used to silence so her usual trick wouldn't work, she'd have to direct things just as she did online and draw it out of him. Frustrating man.

 

“Let’s just get over with, we’ll start with the fact I’m here, I’m sure you have plenty to say about it.” 

 

Jakes furious gaze flew to her, he'd been staring at the floor and she shuddered but not in fear. A bolt of warmth spearing her at the predatory glint in his iced out eyes. Her mouth went dry, hands twitching to reach for him so she flattened them under her thighs and held herself very still.

 

”Oh that,” he said almost carelessly, belied by the rage pouring off him and making her feel defensive.

 

“I am absolutely stunned someone as clever as you would risk your life so stupidly by coming here.”

 

Manon barely resisted the urge to roll her eyes, infuriated at his inability to see beyond his own fears. Jake abruptly released her from his stare, breaking away to glare off to the side, Manon suddenly felt untethered and on shaky, uneven ground. It triggered the rage she kept hidden beneath her skin. 

 

“Oh yes, I should just stay home watching through a damn phone screen as my friends are picked off one by fucking one.” her voice was dangerously soft, the bitter taste of anger like ash in her mouth. “I would have, Jake. I would have done it to make things easier for you but you lost the right to ask that of me the moment your promise was broken. You don’t get to decide for me.”

 

Her chest was heaving, surprised she couldn’t smell smoke as hot fury took her over and Jake was utterly unimpressed in the face of it. It rankled her pride how much that affected her and she sneered, managing to look down her nose at him. Pleased to see it pissed him off.

 

“It wasn’t me that broke any promises though, was it? That was all you.” 


His voice was little more than a growl, a delicious sound Manon hadn't realized she would find appealing before now. Oh but he knew how to get under her skin, she was seething, a war of words she hadn't thought to say tearing from her mouth.

 

“Yes I did but Jake, you also promised me none of my friends would get hurt, that there were lines the kidnapper wouldn’t cross! But he danced right over them and one of my friends was attacked while I watched. Another threatened and one marked as the next damn target. So tell me, who broke it worse? Because it sure as hell wasn’t me.”

 

Jake flinched, rearing back as if she’d slapped him and guilt thickened in her throat. She truly hadn’t meant to throw that in his face, swallowing it down Manon searched deep for calm. Her mind was a mess of snarled thoughts and searing emotion she refused to look at too closely. Her eyes flicked between him and her hands, fingers curling and uncurling in her lap giving away her anxiety. Manon looked through her lashes at him, those electric eyes watched her warily and she felt a flash of apprehension at the anger flaring under their cool surface, something else she couldn’t name hidden beneath it. Her own predictable temper ignited in defiance, she had to choke it down and hunt for words to keep this from descending into a war neither would win.


“Its done, Jake. There’s no point in tearing into each other over it. I'm staying. He was coming for me in the end anyway, this way I can get to him first. I can keep us all safe.” 

 

The man had the nerve to snort in disbelief, completely underestimating her in a way Manon thought he never would and she swallowed down the hurtful words that crawled like a demon up her throat. Knew she could never take them back. 

 

“I admit I misjudged him, I truly believed he wouldn’t cross that line. Your presence made him do it though, Manon. What do you think he’ll do once he realizes you’re here?” 

 

Manon’s determined eyes met his stare head-on, giving no quarter as she poured all her fiery will and self-confidence into her next words.

 

”Oh I’m hoping it makes him so furious he leaves his nest and comes to find me. It’ll save me the job of tracking him down.” 


Jakes face was murderous, he thought her mad and she was, there was simply a method to it he wasn’t aware of yet. 

 

“You’re just going to hope he comes to you?” He demanded, wild fear in his anguished eyes, “or do you plan to walk right into whatever trap he sets for you?” 

 

Manon shrugged nonchalantly and picked at her nails.

 

”Perhaps, or I’ll set one for him. I’ll burn that bridge when I get to it.”

 

She wasn’t worried, not yet. She knew all too well how people like this man without a face worked, understood how to handle them and defuse them. Jake didn’t know that yet, he'd have to trust her like she had trusted him from the beginning, knew the bitter taste of one’s own medicine never went down smoothly. Jake was shaking his head, his breath catching in his chest as his mouth worked but he couldn’t get the words out. 

 

“Relax, Jake. I don’t plan on dying, I plan on getting us all out of this alive and whole, I promise.”

 

She leaned forward seeking his hand, placed hers on top of his, drawing his eye to her and squeezed it gently in reassurance. Jake twisted his hand under hers, not quite holding her own but his thumb began to draw slow circles on the inside of her wrist, Manon almost lost her focus with that small touch, goosebumps scattering in the wake of it and she smiled slowly when she saw the reluctant hope on his face.

 

“I’d prefer you to be on my side. I’ll do it alone if I have to but I think we’ve proven that we are better together, Jake.”

 

Manon reluctantly released him and moved away slightly, her wrist tingling in an echo of his touch. He was gritting his teeth, jaw jutted sharp as granite and she knew this would be difficult for him. He who was so used to working alone, she’d have to adapt too but he was different. He was alone out of necessity and threat of danger, she was alone because she chose to be. Finding the sympathetic eyes of those in her home town too heavy to bear. It was a release to be here where no one knew her and she could be anyone.

 

“I can’t watch you get hurt, Manon.” Her heart leapt when his voice cracked on her name, now sure he did in fact care for her like he'd said.

 

“Good, I don’t plan on it but even if I do,” she paused, weighing the risks of revealing a sliver of truth, deciding to give this piece of herself to him,

 

”I’ve been through things this amateur could only dream of, I’ve survived before, this won’t kill me.” 

 

“I’m sure you can, it’s me that wouldn’t handle it. I dragged you into this in the first place.” 

 

She pursed her lips, disapproval clear on her face

 

“Jake, you can’t take the blame for it all, it’s my decision and if I get hurt it’ll be because of my actions, not yours. I do what I have to, not what is easy.” 

 

His shoulders slumped, head dropping as the fight left him and she relaxed an inch, sure they’d have many similar discussions in the future but willing to move past it for now. 

 

“I get it, it’s just hard seeing you here, you look like a good strong wind would knock you over.” 

 

She threw her head back and laughed, the sound startling in the quiet of the room and drawing his gaze to her. A smile finally broke across his face, a dimple appeared and she had to bite back the urge to lick at it. That would be weird, normal people didn’t lick other people's dimples, at least not the first time they met.  

 

“I think I’ve proven my ability to take on men much bigger than me.”

 

Her gaze was pointed. His eyes darkened in either exasperation or lust, a mix of both if he was anything like her. This thing between them, whatever it had been online was now changed and real. It was no longer a secret she could tuck into her pocket and keep safe, now the world could creep in and either destroy it, or it would bloom brighter than she'd dared to hope. Manon wasn't too sure which one scared her the most, letting people in, caring for someone other than yourself could be used against you. She would have to find a way to wield it for their success instead.

 

“True, where did you learn that?” 

 

“My dad, the famous detective! I’ve already told you this.” 

 

Truth disguised as a joke, he hadn’t believed her the last time and didn’t now. 

 

“Hmm, why do I get the feeling you have more secrets than I do?” He jested, sly grin aimed at her. Guilt settled low in her stomach, a ball of lead weighing her down and she had to battle her way past it to match his energy.

 

“Because I do! I have to keep the mystery alive, got to make sure I keep you interested.”

 

She winked at him, wanting to laugh as his cheeks turned pink and the tension between them ramped up to new levels. Especially when his husky reply made her toes curl in her boots. 

 

“You only have to exist to keep me interested, Manon.”

 

The air between them became heavy, so thick she swore she could taste it on the back of her tongue, like smoke curling in her mouth. Knew he was on the same train of thought as her when his body swayed closer, drawn to her much as she was him. His gaze locked on her mouth. She’d had flings and relationships before but never had she felt so electrified just sitting near one of them. Like she’d crawl out of her skin if he didn’t touch her. His hand twitched, as though he too wanted to reach for her and her pulse fluttered in her neck. 

 

Manon had worried on her way here, that the things they felt for each other online wouldn’t translate to real life. Was now thrilled to discover that wasn’t true. Every nerve on her body came alive, nervous energy making her feel reckless and brave. What would he do if she kissed him? Would he take what she gave and give her back the same? Or would it be too forward and he’d push her away? She was paralyzed by indecision and didn’t want to ruin the moment to find out. 

 

Her eyes gave her away, dipping to his mouth, again and again, the urge to bite that plush bottom lip almost painful. Every time she met his heated stare, the blue almost violet now, she had to look away. Unsure of how to play it, her usual confidence replaced with nerves, she slapped her hands to her thighs and shot to her feet to try and rid herself of the restless energy. Trying and failing to focus on the boring, important things. Manon began pacing and bit her lip as she fought to keep her hands to herself, her mutinous thoughts were highly disappointed in her.  

 

“Right, so - the plan…”

 

Manon fought for the words, heat creeping up her neck as she struggled. Jake watched her, amusement clear on his pretty face, he knew what he was doing to her and she had the wild urge to slap him. She had the idiotic notion he could see inside her mind and started singing an old Billy Ocean song in her head to block him out, just in case. Manon paused her pacing and decided it was time to move them to safer lodgings.

 

”Okay, we have to get back to the motel. We can’t spend the night here.”

 

Jake slowly got to his feet, he was unfairly graceful considering his size, he stepped up to her and Manon held her breath as she tilted her head back to look at him. Startled at the calm acceptance in his eyes, again he hadn’t done as she had expected and turned her down, she wasn’t sure why she kept betting against him. 

“I’m hoping the motel is only temporary. It won't be a safe place once your friends know where you are, Manon.”

 

She really wished he'd stop saying her name like that, drawing it out like a promise and a caress all at once, liquid heat pooling low in her belly every time he used it. 

 

”Yeah it's just for two more days, we leave Friday when I get the keys to the safehouse. The plan is to have us all under one roof, including you so don't bother arguing, you're coming with me.” 

 

 Jake looked utterly stunned and Manon didn’t blame him, she wasn’t known for doing things halfway, pride filled her chest at the admiration in his eyes. She was all in and hoped he would be too, knew he could read all of it on her face when he inclined his head. Jake pulled himself together quickly as he came closer to her and lifted his hand slowly as though scared to spook her. Manon stood perfectly still and held her breath as he gently tugged at the end of her braid before lightly brushing his knuckles across her cheekbone, her eyes wanted to close at the contact and she shivered when he pulled away. Jake cleared his throat and gave her a cheeky grin.

 

”Sorry, just had to make sure this was real," he shrugged, Manon only stared at him, "How the hell did you pull that off? I’ve heard nothing around town about this and I’ve been looking for anything unusual.” 

 

He was truly offended that she’d gotten under his net of awareness and couldn’t help her proud smile as she explained.

 

”Oh the usual, money, lawyers and NDAs. Maybe even a little bit of blackmail too if I’m completely honest.”

 

She spoke as if she were merely talking about the weather and he choked on a laugh.

 

“Who the fuck are you?”

 

Jakes voice was urgent and awed. Manon saw as his thoughts crossed over his face that he believed her capable of pulling this off, that she would save them all. She dearly hoped his faith in her stayed strong through the storm heading for them and mentally crossed her fingers. She knew things could change in a heartbeat, damning them and she'd have to be prepared for that too.

 

“Someone that can solve this case and set us all free, should you want it but you have to trust me even when you think I'm insane.”

 

Her voice was a fragile thing, her dearest wish set free and no longer belonging solely to her. It wasn’t as scary as she’d thought it would be but she didn’t expand on it, wary of tempting the fickle bitch that was Fate. She allowed him to see the vulnerability in her eyes instead and watched as it clicked in his head. 

 

“You mean ….”

 

He trailed off, eyes untrusting as she fought to keep the confident mask on her face. Nodding because she knew he’d get it, hope flared in her chest as she watched it dawn on him. 

 

“How?” He breathed.

 

”Not yet, one day soon I’ll tell you but not here. It’s too early and I don’t want to jinx it.”

 

Jake only looked at her, as though she were the answer to some question he’d long given up hope of finding.

 

“Don’t look at me like that.” She chided, no heat behind her words, suddenly unsure of herself.

 

”Like what, Manon?” 

 

Was it her fevered imagination or had his voice dropped even lower? It had, she noted with a thrill at the affection in his eyes.  

 

“Like I’m a goddess sent to save you because I’m not. You haven't seen how far I'll go to get what I want, what I’ll do to win this, and when you do...”

 

Manon averted her eyes, scared of what she’d find in his but Jake only laid a heavy hand on her shoulder, the warmth of it anchoring her as her chest grew too tight. The heat coming from him was scalding but she leaned farther into it to ease the cold that settled over her bones. Jake gently kneaded her shoulder, drawing her gaze back to him and she felt it then. The understanding was clear on his face like he could see the truth of her and wasn't afraid because the same darkness was in him too. That impulse to fight tooth and nail to keep yourself and those you cared for safe, he knew it too. 

 

“When I do, I'll be right there beside you, you don't have to fight the world alone, Manon.” 

 

She smiled up at him, emboldened by his faith in her and some of the shackles from her old life slipped from her wrists, freeing her enough to live her new one. 

 

“Okay,” she murmured tentatively but he heard, “If you’re sure …” 

 

He leaned back, eyes tilting to the sky as he blew out a harsh breath and Manon was anxious that he’d do just that, leave and never look back.

 

“I’m sure. I go where you go, that was decided the moment I followed your summons back there. Long before that if I’m honest, how did you know I’d see that, by the way?”

 

Manon had the urge to cackle, he looked so annoyed that she’d found him so easily. She had simply studied every word he wrote and read between the lines, knew his quirks online very well by now.

 

”Well, I had a feeling you were here when Lilly and I solved that puzzle of yours.”


She pinched his arm, his sharp hiss of pain made her giggle as he looked at her, affronted. His hand fell from her shoulder to rub at his arm.

 

“What was that for?!” 


“For sending us on that chase! But anyway, Lilly told me you’d probably paid someone to do it for you, I didn’t really believe that but had no proof. Not until earlier tonight when you slipped up.”

 

Jake looked completely perplexed, he was usually so careful not to let anything slip but he typically only panicked when it came to her so Manon had seen it when he dropped the ball. 

 

“What? I didn’t say anything to give me away.”

 

Manon raised a brow, cocky now she knew she had him. 

 

“Oh, but you did! You said, “it’s not safe for you HERE”.” She emphasized heavily, eyes boring into his to watch the realization settle in. 

 

It was almost funny, the outrage at how little she had needed to figure him out. She saw the next question clearly and replied without him asking it.

 

”I knew you’d be out tonight because I know how it feels having to hide in the dark where people can’t see me and so I can feel free for a little while. You also mentioned going on walks, I hoped I was right in where you’d go and I was.” 

Jake blew out a harsh breath, hands braced on the back of his head as he learned just how well Manon could read him, she wondered if he liked that she could or if he'd grow to hate it. Supposed she'd also have to get used to him being in her space and having to consider him before she made any big decisions. Manon was hopeful though as they left the Dare House and followed the trail back to the motel, they didn't speak until they stood across from it.

"Where were you staying before?" Manon asked him, again noting the heavy bag on his back.

 

"Gates Motel, just outside of Duskwood. I left tonight and was planning to book in here tomorrow."

 

Manon frowned, the thought of him wandering this place alone all night not sitting right in her. How often had he done exactly that before she’d arrived? 

 

"Well save your money and room with me. There's no point in you booking another room for two more nights."

 

Manon said it as carelessly as she could manage as she led them across the parking lot, knowing very well they’d have to get to know each other very quickly in that room. 

 

"Are you sure? I'm basically a stranger to you."

 

Manon scoffed, opting for playfulness to ease the tension in his handsome face.

 

"I know you well enough I think, or was it sheer dumb luck that found you tonight?"

 

Jake chuckled and she sauntered ahead of him as they neared her door, swaying her hips more than usual, aware he was watching her. His gaze was like a brand on her back, she'd never been so aware of another person before and wondered if he felt it too. Manon unlocked the door and held it open with a flourish, ushering him in first as she stopped for a moment to scan the lot and forest they'd just come from, nothing caught her eye so she went inside and locked the door. Manon turned, not paying attention, and walked into a brick wall, the wall swore and turned to grab her a second before she landed on her ass, she threw a glare at the sheepish look on his face.

 

"Fucking hell, if you wanted me on my back you only had to ask nicely, Jake!"

 

Jake shook his head at her, his grip on her slackening when he was sure she was okay but not letting her go, whatever he'd expected her to say it wasn't that. Join the club, she hadn't expected it either, wondered now if it was possible to suddenly turn back into a horny teenager when you hadn't had anyone in your bed for a long time. Manon really hoped not and made a mental note to Google it, it was bad enough the first time around.

 

"There's only one bed." Jake deadpanned.

 

Manon had to bite back the giggle that tried to escape, his eyes narrowed playfully and she could only nod. Jake sighed but he smiled as he spoke.

 

"I guess I should have expected that, are you sure you’re okay with me being in here? I'll sleep on the floor, not that I get much of it."

 

"Don't be ridiculous, I offered to let you stay here knowing we'd have to share. We're both adults and I promise I won't do anything you don't want me to."

 

She was going for levity but it sounded more like a dare, Jake's azure eyes darkened as they swept boldly down her body, lingering on the curve of her hips and felt his gaze like a phantom touch. She was in trouble, she'd assumed he'd be shy and awkward but instead found he had a quiet confidence around her. Already Manon was sure he’d surprise her in many other ways, her earlier hastily compiled profile of him obliterated now he wasn’t acting the way she’d assumed he would.

 

"Likewise," he whispered sensually once he met her eyes again, "I'll set up so we can work on the case tomorrow, is over there okay?"

 

Jake pointed at the corner by the window, the floor was clear there and had an outlet in the wall to charge his laptop. Manon blinked, clearing her mind of the moment before, the sudden switch in his attitude short-circuiting her brain and she pulled random words from thin air.

 

"Sure, go ahead, no problem you can do your thing and I'll uh, go get changed. In the bathroom, alone. While you do that, I’ll be in there getting ready for bed and yeah, I’ll just go now.” 

 

She spun away from him, avoiding the knowing amused look in his eye at her nervous babbling and blindly grabbed the first item of clothing she touched before tossing her phone on the bed and locking herself in the bathroom. Manon leaned back against the door, eyes closed and let out a sigh, what the hell was that? She had no answer as she opened her eyes and looked in the mirror ahead of her, flushed cheeks and over bright eyes looking back at her, a far cry from her reflection this morning. A stupid grin split her face, her hand covered her mouth to trap the laugh that bubbled up her throat, giddiness at him being here and the fact he was real finally settling in. 

 

Manon felt lighter than she had in months as she went through her nighttime routine, washing her face and brushing her teeth, slathering moisturizer on her face and neck before stripping out of her clothes. A sigh of relief as she took off her bra and tossed it along with her clothes into the hamper beside the sink, pulling on the oversized t-shirt she often slept in. It was an old one of her dad's that she hadn't been able to part with and it fell to mid-thigh, leaving her legs on show. The worn cotton brushed softly against her skin as she opened the door, walked through to the bed and picked up her phone. 

 

Manon sat up against the headboard and unlocked it, checking her messages as she crossed her bare legs, aware that Jake was watching her. The group chat had found out about Amy Bell Lewis while she'd been out, the blow-up between Richy and Jessy had postponed them finding out but she didn't feel like replying tonight. She only had about four hours left to sleep if she wanted to make her morning appointment. Manon set four alarms to make sure she woke up, she slept like the dead and one was never enough. After she plugged the phone in to charge on the nightstand Manon closed her eyes and gave a tired sigh, Jake's typing was the only other sound in the room and she found it oddly soothing. She was debating whether she should get under the covers or just pass out sitting up when Jake spoke.

 

"How are you feeling? You look exhausted." 

 

Manon didn't open her eyes as she told him another truth, finding it easy to do so "I am, I haven't slept well for weeks and to be honest, I'm a bit afraid after the nightmare I had last night."

 

Jake hummed low in his throat and she cracked her lids open to watch him as he spoke.

 

"I know what you mean, I feel like I’m running on fumes. I'm here if you want to talk about it though."

 

His eyes met hers and warmth bloomed in her chest at the sincerity in them, she actually wanted to talk to him about it one day but not tonight out of fear it would trigger another dream. 

 

"Thank you. You can talk to me too though, you know that right?" Manon had said it to him before but it felt important that she say it aloud.

 

"I do, I'm not used to it yet." He admitted and her heart ached for the life he'd lived for the past four years, never knowing comfort or safety. Something inside her recognized another lost soul and she was glad they'd found one another, hoped they'd get to keep it.

 

"Me neither, not for a long time. What are you doing over there, simple terms please?" 

 

Jake chuckled at the teasing note in her voice, he had a tendency to assume everyone knew what he did, she knew more than most but still felt lost when he got going in their chats. 

 

"I'm just ensuring I can't be traced while using the motel Wi-Fi and running through a few things before I try to sleep." 

 

Manon nodded lazily and decided to get into bed, her neck would kill her tomorrow if she passed out like this. Too tired now to ask another question though she was full of them, not trusting he'd be here in the morning.

 

"Can you turn the light off before you get in bed? I just can't be bothered."

 

Jake chuckled and murmured his agreement, his eyes on her bare legs as she slid them under the covers and settled down on her side, leaving the left side free for him. Manon closed her eyes and focused on deepening her breathing, evening it out to lull her to sleep and the rhythmic tapping coming from Jake's direction helped to settle her mind.

 

Manon was floating in that half-aware state between sleep and consciousness when the light through her eyelids went dark. She felt the bed behind her dip, the covers thrown back and then a warm body pressed against her back. She smiled into the darkness as his arm snaked around her waist and he pressed a delicate kiss to the top of her head. Manon was surprised he’d actually got into her bed, had assumed he’d sleep on the floor and his boldness made her feel safe somehow. He shifted behind her and whispered so low she could hardly hear it.

 

"I'm happy you’re here, Manon and I'll stay as long as you'll let me."

 

Manon could only hum in acknowledgment, reassured she burrowed deeper into the warmth of him and fell into a dreamless sleep. Hopeful now she was no longer alone.

 

 

 

 

jake

 

My inspiration for Jake, Tyler Hoechlin. Feel free to picture who you like!

 

 

 

Manon

Inspiration for Manon, Sasha Luss. Just shorter and with green eyes.

Notes:

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it! The next chapter is half done and now I’ve completed the game I’ll be focused solely on finishing it. Why did I have her hold a knife to his throat? Because I like that trope as a way of flirting and I wanted Jake to see she wasn’t helpless before they spoke. He was quite happy to go along with it. Oh and the Morse Code said, “Follow me Jake”.

Chapter 4: And there's a storm you're starting now ...

Summary:

Manon and Jake adjust to sharing a room, shit happens and tempers flare. I won't give anything away though I will say that I'll probably cringe about the end of this chapter for a while, I haven't written anything like this in an age so I'm unsure of it but it's just a bit of fun at the end of the day!

Notes:

I had a blast writing this one, I'm excited about it and I hope it works for anyone reading. I laughed while writing parts of this, I hope it makes you crack a smile at least!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Jake and Manon

 

He says

"Oh, baby, begging you to save me
Well lately, I like 'em crazy

Ooh, maybe, you could devastate me
Little lady, come and fade me"

I'm a wanderess
I'm a one night stand

Don't belong to no city
Don't belong to no man

I'm the violence in the pouring rain,

I'm a hurricane”



Hurricane - Halsey

 

******

 

 



 

The next morning was as awkward as Manon had expected. Jake had gotten up before her and she’d woke sprawled across the bed, the sheets tangled around her legs and was clutching his pillow as though it had tried to run away from her. She almost threw her phone at the wall when the alarms wouldn’t go off on the first try but managed to restrain herself. She lay there for long minutes, her head thudding, listening to the incessant tapping coming from the corner of the room and talking herself out of getting up to slap the laptop out of his hands. 

 

Manon wasn’t a morning person, she was positively murderous first thing and it didn’t help that she’d had very little sleep. The typing noise changed to the soft crackle of loose paper being shuffled, Jake yawned quietly and she wondered just how long he’d slept, had she dreamt him pulling her against him last night? Her dreams were so lifelike it wouldn’t surprise her. It didn’t seem like him but then again she didn’t really know him that way yet. Jake cracked his knuckles and she fought the urge to yell at him. 

 

Just get up and go straight to the bathroom, don’t stop to chat and you won’t have to kill him. 

 

Manon raised herself onto her hands and pushed up to her knees, still hopelessly tangled up. Her head hung as the heavy ache of too little sleep seemed to increase with every move she made. She kicked her legs free of the sheets and stood, wobbling a little on her feet as she padded to the bathroom. She side-eyed Jake, he was wearing glasses and Manon pointedly ignored how handsome he looked in them, the combination of the black frames, dark hair and scruffy beard really worked for her. 

 

Manon turned on the bathroom light and locked the door, biting back a groan at the state of her hair in the mirror, the braids hadn’t survived her tossing and turning. She decided to forgo a shower and instead washed up in the sink, brushed her teeth and wrangled her hair into a messy bun on the top of her head. Swallowing a few ibuprofen pills with water from the sink. Her brain was still a few steps behind, always sluggish first thing and Manon decided coffee was vital before she killed someone for looking at her wrong. She spritzed her perfume on, breathing in the familiar scent and her headache thankfully cleared a little. 

 

Back in the room, Jake was still working and Manon pulled on blue jeans and a loose sweater, not bothering to hide from him. Her first smile that morning came at the clearing off his throat as she pulled the sweater over her head, having put on a black lacy bra under her T-shirt before taking it off. Jake's tired voice was gruff as he wished her good morning. 

 

Please don’t let him be a morning person

 

“I’m going to get coffee, do you want anything?” 

 

She didn’t return his greeting, it was too early to tell if the day would be good or not. If Jake noticed her sour mood he didn’t say anything. 

 

“A black coffee, the biggest one they’ve got.”

 

Manon snorted as she pulled on her jacket and grabbed her credit card, the motel offered coffee and pastries for breakfast so she wouldn’t have to search far. 

 

“Do you want anything to eat?”

 

“No, I’m fine.”

 

She glanced at him, whatever he was doing had caused frustration to bleed into his voice but she didn’t have the energy yet to question him. Caffeine, she needed caffeine. 

 

Once Manon secured her fix and grabbed two chocolate croissants for her and Jake she made her way back to the room, freezing mid-step as she saw someone she knew at the front desk. Lilly. Manon was torn, should she confront her here or wait till later? Later, she couldn't exactly invite her into the room with Jake hiding out in there and selfishly didn't want to share him yet. What was she doing here anyway, Manon thought she’d quit. Lilly glanced back at her and Manon quickly schooled her features to blank boredom, Lilly’s eyes narrowed and her heart raced as she all but ran by her and down the hallway and crashed into her room sending Jake into a flurry of movement. He stood surprised and annoyed, his laptop shoved carelessly aside as he eyed her warily and she dimly noticed how dark the circles under his eyes were behind the glasses.

 

“What the fuck is going on? You almost gave me a heart attack, Manon!” 

 

She hushed him, a finger to her lips as she pressed her face to the peephole and watched the hall, Lilly walked past their door but turned to look at it, Manon took a step back and felt a hard chest at her back, she hadn't heard him move. Jake's hands cupped her upper arms to steady her, even in her panic she was too aware of the fact he was touching her. 

 

“Lilly,” she breathed, “I saw Lilly and I don’t know how but I think she knew it was me.”

 

Jake turned her around to face him, his hands settled on her shoulders, and his shadowed eyes searched her face as she calmed herself down and shakily handed him his coffee. Relishing in the heat of his hand against her tense shoulder.

 

“How could she know it was you? She’s never seen you before.”

 

Manon shrugged, still whispering. 

 

“Jessy and I talked about her hair once and she asked what color mine was so I told her. She might’ve told Lilly.”

 

Jake frowned, his eyes focused on the door as though he could see through it and she could’ve moved away from him but didn’t, liked that he was still touching her. Jake sighed and she willed calm into her bones, hoping Lilly thought she was just some strange tourist terrified of strangers. Manon cringed at the thought of when she actually met Lilly, the woman would definitely remember this.

 

“Relax, Manon. She won’t hunt you down and make you confess.”

 

Manon chuckled weakly, “You have no idea how nosy that girl is, I’ll have to get ahead of her somehow.”

 

Jake finally released her with a long look and she swayed, missing the contact but hid it with a sip of her coffee and almost spat it out. 

 

“Gods, what the in the ever-loving fuck is this?” 

 

Jake smirked, mirth dancing in his eyes. 

 

“I take it you haven’t experienced the beauty of motel coffee before?”

 

Manon grimaced. 

 

“Beauty? It tastes like someone scraped dirt off a pig's foot and boiled it with sugar.”

 

Jake laughed and warmth bloomed in her chest at the sight, the last dregs of her black mood evaporated along with the rich sound. He’d said before she was the only one who could make him laugh and was proud to see it held true here. She looked at her coffee distrustfully and sighed before tipping it back and swallowing as much as she could, it was rank but she needed the boost. Jake sipped at his as though it was the finest drink he’d ever had and Manon decided to rectify that later by bringing him coffee from the Rainbow Café. 

 

“You get used to it.” He said at her disgusted look. 

 

“Nope. Not happening. I’d rather die than do that again.” 

 

Manon stuffed one of the croissants into her mouth, not bothering to be graceful as she tried to get the taste out of her mouth. Jake sat down on the bed and watched her tear the pastry apart to get the chocolate out first, she liked to eat the best part first. Manon handed the other one to him but he didn’t eat it, balancing it on his knee instead as she checked her phone. 

 

She found a message from her friend Steve, canceling their call later that day as he'd been called into work on a new high-risk case but assured her he’d check in by Sunday. Manon groaned, she’d really hoped he’d have some good news for her and was antsy at having to wait longer. His tip about the Morse Code had been successful though so she couldn’t complain. 

 

“Something wrong?” Jake asked and she shook her head. 

 

“No, my friend was supposed to call me today but he’s been called away.”

 

Jake's eyes narrowed when she said he, she knew his jealousy should bother her but instead it only pleased her. Steve was basically her family, the only family she had left so he had nothing to worry about there, plus he was happily married with a kid on the way. Jake didn't have to know that yet though, he was adorable when he tried to pretend he was unbothered and she was a tiny bit evil.

 

Jessy had also messaged, complaining her sister couldn’t pay Phil's bail. Manon fired an email off to her lawyer after replying to Jessy and checked the time, she jolted in shock. 

 

“Shit, I’ve got to go.”

 

Jake looked annoyed, she knew he wanted them to go over the case today but all her important files were being set up in the new house. All she had here was her iPad and phone, she preferred to be able to touch and see everything. She had to leave now if she wanted to make it on time.

 

“Where are you going? We’ve got loads to get through, Manon.”

 

Manon waved him off and shoved her things into her bag, ensuring she had her taser in there too, it didn’t hurt to be prepared.  

 

“We can do that later, I’m going to get my hair done!” She said airily even as his face darkened to a scowl. 

 

“You’re going to get your hair done … is this a joke?” 

 

Manon smiled brightly, his jaw clenched as he ground his teeth and a giggle bubbled up her throat at the outrage pouring off him. 

 

“Nope! Have to do the roots every four weeks, I’ll be back in a few hours.” She paused, her hand on the outside door. 

 

“Oh, and can you start tracking the group's phones for me? That would be great! See you later, darling.” 

 

“Manon! This is absurd. Don’t you think -“

 

She didn’t hear the rest as she ran out the door and slammed it behind her, locking him in. This time she did giggle as she glanced back to see him pulling the blinds aside to glare at her back as she walked into town.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

The salon was across from the library, a quaint little building painted pastel blue with wide windows letting in plenty of natural light and a welcoming mat on the doorstep, an apartment sat conveniently above it. It looked empty, Manon had managed to arrive early and the sign on the door told her it was closed. She had 15 minutes until her appointment so she sat on the steps of the library and sent Lilly a message, after their almost meeting earlier she wanted to see if Lilly would mention anything. Since their strange friendship had blossomed the woman was always checking in and asking after Jake but she had been quiet lately. In truth Manon had been avoiding her now she was in town and Jake was living in her motel room, Lilly it seemed was avoiding them all. 

 

Her phone rang in her hand and she rolled her eyes at the contact ID, should've known he wouldn't let it lie.

 

“Yes, Jake? What’s up?”

 

There was a pause, a crackling sound in her ear and she was sure he was pacing like a caged animal right now. 

 

“What’s up? You just left, who gets their hair done when they’re supposed to be solving a kidnapping?” 

 

Manon grinned, he sounded beautiful when he was pissed off at her and decided to push him further.

 

“Relax, I’ll only be a few hours. We can talk shop once I get back, I’ll grab us lunch on the way, what do you want?”

 

Jake spluttered, she heard a thud that she assumed was his head hitting a wall.

 

“A few hours? Goddamn it, Manon. What are you playing at? I can see you're at the library.“

 

His voice was a silken growl, so low and deep it made the hair on the back of her neck stand to attention, a pleasant shiver rolled down her back. Oh, she liked this side of him. 

 

“Yes, a few hours and I’ll bring you food, do you eat meat? I don’t fancy searching for a vegan spot in this town.” Manon realized what he'd said and whisper yelled down the phone, "What do you mean you can see where I am?"

 

She looked around warily, and spotted a few security cameras that could definitely see her, she stuck her tongue out and flipped them off for good measure.

 

"You told me to track the phones, I took the liberty of doing yours first, darling." His voice was smug and she hissed.

 

"You know, I typically don't react kindly when someone stalks me, Jake. You could have asked first!"

 

Jake chuckled darkly, " You didn't give me a chance to, we don't have time for you to play pampered princess."

 

Manon stiffened but crooned, "I prefer to be called a Queen but your majesty will suffice."

 

Manon picked at her nails as she listened to him gather his thoughts, swore she could hear the grind of his teeth and it was all she could do to keep from laughing. Movement across the street caught her eye and she interrupted his indignant rant on how irresponsible she was being. 

 

“Listen, I’ve gotta go now, I’ll see you later.” 

 

She hung up without another word and knew he’d blow up her phone the entire time she sat in the chair, she turned it off and headed into the salon, the woman behind the desk looked as though she’d seen a ghost and Manon smiled at her, knew she’d been right to come here. 

 

 

***

 

Manon walked out of the salon just after noon, a bounce in her step thanks to her pretty hair, and turned her phone back on. She was right, Jake had sent more than 10 messages, each one dripping with impatience and annoyance before he went offline. Manon didn’t worry, knew he’d calm down at some point so she went to the Rainbow Café and picked up some sandwiches and coffees to go. An iced latte for her and a mega cup of black coffee with an extra shot of espresso for Jake, hoping it would sweeten him up a bit. 

 

Manon got back to the motel and let herself in, Jake hadn’t opened the blinds and she was relieved, people could look right into the window if they stood across from it. She shouldered the door open and spotted him sitting on the bed, he stood in a storm of fury as she locked the door and plopped down on the bed, handing him his food and drink. He took it from her robotically, every muscle seemed tensed in his ire and he didn't make a move to try any of it.

 

“Hello Jake! How are you?”, she kept her voice light but inside she was preparing for war.

 

He only glared at her, venom in his eyes as she took off her jacket and fluffed the pillow at her back, if he wanted to argue she was going to be comfortable while he did it. Manon unwrapped her bacon, egg and cheese and tore into it, she didn’t have to wait long for Jake to break the silence. 

 

“Some maniac has my sister and he’s also threatening you but you think it’s fine to spend 3 hours getting your hair done?”

 

Manon only smirked and told him to calm down, deciding to provoke him a little too. 

 

“Do you like it? I have to find out what she used! It’s so white and shiny.”

 

Jake clenched his jaw so hard she was surprised it didn’t snap, the look in his eye could freeze hell. She gave an indolent shrug, the portrait of calm though her blood was beginning to heat. 

 

“Aren’t you going to eat your lunch, Jake?” Manon asked casually, fighting to keep her face neutral. 

 

“No, do you think you could explain why you would do something so incredibly selfish? Because right now I have no idea what you’re thinking, I didn’t take you as someone so superficial.”

 

That pissed her off, Manon took a bite of her sandwich, chewing slowly to keep from biting his head off. She swallowed and took a long sip of her coffee, a vein in Jake's temple throbbed. He balled his fists at his side and turned his back to her, Manon let out a sigh. 

 

"I'm trying to figure you out, you act like you care about Hannah but," He shook his head, "I'm afraid I've misjudged you, Manon."

 

“Are you done?” She demanded, disappointed. He leaned over, hands braced on the tv unit as he struggled for words and she watched his broad shoulders tense.

 

“Am I done? What do you expect, there are lives on the line here and you’re acting as if you're here on vacation!”

 

“Did you know that Amy was a regular at that salon, Jake?” She asked softly, picking the crusts off her sandwich to keep from throwing it at him, Jake tensed and huffed out an exasperated breath but didn’t reply. 

 

“No, I guess you didn’t. You see it turns out Amy had hair similar to mine, it requires major upkeep and takes a lot of time to get it right.”

 

Jake spun to face her, the hard planes of his face utterly frozen, she saw nothing kind there. 

 

“I don’t particularly care about the maintenance of anyone's hair, Manon.”

 

His voice was colder than ice and she straightened, letting him see the fire in her eyes as she glowered at him. 

 

“That’s not what I’m getting at,” she snapped, holding tight to the leash of her brittle temper, “You have your methods and I have mine, or does the trust between us only work one way?”

 

Reluctant curiosity flashed in his eyes before he quickly shuttered them. Where he was cold in his rage, she was a wildfire. 

 

“Explain.”

 

Manon raised a brow at the challenge and let him see how pissed off she was before setting down her sandwich and wiping her hands. 

 

“People talk to their stylists, Jake, it’s basically free therapy. Amy, like myself, spent many hours in that chair talking to the woman taking care of her hair,” she tilted her head, a smirk playing on her lips when she saw she had him on a hook.

 

“To cut a long story short, The woman that did my hair knew her very well, their families knew each other before Amy’s parent’s moved away and Amy didn’t keep many other friends." She paused, her tendency to be dramatic demanded she drag this out, and having all of Jake's attention was intoxicating.

 

"Amy actually mentioned Hannah a handful of times over the years. Did you know they used to be friends?”

 

Jake's jaw dropped, utter disbelief on his handsome face and Manon felt the thrill of triumph in her chest, a smug smile when he looked away from her. 

 

“Not only that, Amy mentioned Hannah very recently, 3 weeks before she went missing to be exact. That was the last time the stylist saw her and Amy disappeared not long after.” Jake had regret written all over him but she looked away, dismissing him.

 

“Thanks to my "superficial" actions, we now have proof they are connected. You're welcome.”

 

Jake opened and closed his mouth, struggling to speak and it would have been funny if she wasn’t so pissed off with his assumptions of her. Superficial, really? He must’ve won the battle raging behind his eyes and Manon turned her attention back to her food. 

 

“And this woman just told you all this?”

 

Manon nodded, swallowing before replying. 

 

“I have a way with people, it’s my job." She inclined her head, " And professions like hers trade in gossip and rumor. It keeps people coming back, that need to know more than everyone else. It’s a powerful thing, one I think you’re well aware of considering.” 

 

She nodded towards his laptop as she said it, color crept up his neck as he realized he’d completely fucked up and misjudged her. Manon didn’t want an apology though.

 

“Next time trust that I know what I’m doing and that I don’t do things just for the sake of it. Keep your apologies and just promise me that.”

 

Jake cringed, his head dropped as he took a deep breath before he bravely met her eye again.

 

“I am sorry though." His heartfelt words shattered the last of her anger, endearing her to him further.

 

"I was wrong to say you didn't care and to think so little of you when you’ve shown me the opposite at every turn. I'm not used to having someone on my side. I trust you, Manon I always have, I’m sorry I haven’t shown you that today.”

 

It was the most she'd heard him say but Manon simply inclined her head and gestured for him to sit beside her and eat which he did thankfully, she hadn’t seen him consume anything but coffee. No wonder he barely slept.

 

They ate in companionable silence for a bit, when she finished and balled up the wrapper he turned to her again. Manon was stunned by the admiration directed at her in his beautiful eyes.

 

"You're brilliant, do you know that?" He leaned over and tucked her loose hair behind her ear, goosebumps scattered down her neck and she couldn't have looked away from him, even if the MWAF walked in right then and performed an Irish Jig to Kanye West's Gold Digger. 

 

"I don't tell you that enough but you are. I need you to know that, Manon."

 

There hadn't been many times in Manon's life where she'd been lost for words but she found herself without any snappy comebacks now. His hand dropped but before she could feel disappointed he pressed his lips to her cheek and all her focus went to the feel of his lips against her skin. The desire to twist her head to properly kiss him when he pulled away slightly was almost unbearable but she'd chased him enough, it was his turn. Before he could close the distance between them her phone rang and she inwardly screamed at her bad luck, she wanted to ignore it but Jake sat back and gestured for her to answer it.

 

"What?" she snarled, not bothering to check who was calling and Jake hid his smile behind his sandwich. 

 

Nervous silence met her ear then an unsure Jessy said her name. 

 

"Uhm, Manon, it’s Jessy. Sorry to bother you but I'm sitting in Hannah's car and I've just left the last person she visited before she disappeared."

 

Manon froze and Jake reacted as she did, she put the call on speaker and silently told him to keep quiet.

 

"Sorry Jessy, I thought you were someone else. How the hell are you in Hannah's car and who told you where she went?"

 

Manon was perplexed, Jessy had told her she was busy figuring out how to help her brother and she couldn't fathom how they had gotten here. She really had to start parenting them all better, they were useless at keeping themselves safe.

 

"I know where she kept the spare key and I checked her satnav, I just went to the last address she'd saved there. Richy said his dad told him Hannah didn't have one in her car but Lilly knew better."

 

Manon shook her head dumbly and Jake got up to grab a notepad and pen.

 

"So, where did it take you?" 

 

Manon had an idea and so did Jake but she needed the confirmation.

 

"To a woman called Iris Hanson." Jessy replied,  Manon looked at Jake, and saw her excitement reflected back in his eyes.

 

"Her daughter, Jennifer disappeared in Duskwood almost 10 years ago, she was found buried deep in the forest. It was huge news at the time but I completely forgot about it, I remember the whole town searched for her."

 

Manon mouthed to Jake, "Hanson, not Manson." and Jake wrote it down before writing down a question and held the pad up so she could read it.

 

"Jessy, did she tell you how she died?"

 

"Yes,  they thought it was murder at first but after they did the autopsy they realized she'd been in an accident, she was hit by a car, Iris thinks they didn't see her in the dark and then buried her in the forest in the hopes that she'd never be found, they never found her killer."

 

Jake was scribbling furiously and Manon was trying not to freak out, this was more than she'd expected and she wanted to kiss Jessy for doing it. 

 

"Gods, how awful. Did you find out why Hannah went there that day?"

 

Jessy made a sound low in her throat, sounding confused now.

 

"Yeah I did, Iris said that Hannah told her she was being followed by the same person who killed Jennifer." a loaded pause, "But Manon, if it was an accident  and not a murder, why would the same killer be after Hannah too?" 

 

Jake watched her intently as she took a breath and thought it over, he didn't try to direct her answer so she went with honesty.

 

"Because Hannah was involved in the accident back then. Somehow."

 

Jessy gasped, a short pause as she gathered herself, “You've thought this for a while haven't you, Manon? Richy told me you asked about Jennifer not too long ago."

 

Manon nodded then realized Jessy wouldn't see her.

 

"I have and now I'm almost certain."

 

There were a few things that didn't make sense though. Who else was with Hannah that night, she couldn't have hidden the body or destroyed all of the evidence alone and who visited Iris with her? She had a suspicion but didn't dare voice it yet, not even to Jake.

 

"Okay, I'll message you once I'm home, it's a bit of a drive so I better get going, bye Manon."

 

Manon hung up the phone and turned to a stunned Jake, he was tense and his forehead was creased in concern.

 

"Manon, this web is getting more tangled the deeper we look. What the hell did Hannah get herself into? I feel as if I don't know her."

 

Manon hated seeing him so unsure of himself, he was always a steady presence, whenever she had doubts or raged he could always talk her down. She grabbed his hand and laced her fingers through his, squeezing three times in silent declaration and forcing his eyes back to hers.

 

"I can't tell you it's going to be okay or that it'll all make sense in the end because I don't know if it will. But I promise you we will figure it out and we will find Hannah. Together"

 

Jake tightened his fingers in hers, "Together."

 

 

***

 

Manon was sitting on the floor beside Jake, he was working on tracking Jessy and Dan's phones, he'd deemed them both a nonpriority since Jessy told her everything anyway and Dan was stuck in the hospital. Manon was painting her nails a shade of red not dissimilar to blood, pretending to ignore him and hiding a smile every time Jake slid his eyes to her when he thought she wasn't looking. Jake had shown her earlier that Cleo and Thomas had spent time at the Rainbow Café, then they'd both watched as they went their separate ways. Lilly had been to Hannah's apartment but was now safe in her own home and Richy hadn't moved from the Junkyard all day, Manon hadn't expected any less of him but couldn't help wondering what he filled his days with.

 

Manon had spent hours watching Jake in his element and was fascinated by him, he quickly demurred when she complimented him and would turn her attention back to the screen, she couldn't stop herself from studying his face when he wasn't looking. The way his eyes crinkled when he was met with a challenge, how his lips turned down whenever something went wrong, or Manon's personal favorite, the lazy, confident smirk whenever he easily got past someone's security measures. It made her feel warm all over, his elegant fingers flew across the keyboard effortlessly and he'd caught her staring at them more than once, imagining better ways to put them to use. He was finishing up when her phone buzzed and she screwed the lid on the polish and waved her hands.

 

"Can you get that? I can't use my hands yet." She blew on her nails in emphasis, the paint not drying fast enough for her liking.

 

"Uhm what's the passcode?" 

 

He looked positively livid that he couldn't get in himself, she laughed cheekily, choosing to vex him further.

 

"Just hold it up to my face, it's faster." she winked when he sighed but he did as she asked before looking at it again and her heart stopped when he froze, his eyes moving across the screen rapidly.

 

"Jake, what's wrong? You're scaring me." Manon's voice wavered, she'd had such a lovely day too.

 

Jake shook himself and his face was grave as he showed the screen to her, Manon took in Jessy's message and the accompanying photo and wanted to scream. Fury rode her hard as she thought of all the ways she wanted to tear this bastard apart. She took the phone from him, nails be damned, and quickly typed out her reply, Jake following along on his own phone now. Once Jessy had sent it to the main chat at her direction, the whole gang was quick to comfort her but Jessy wasn't appeased and Manon could only agree with her. 

 

Jessy: I want to leave Duskwood! It's not safe for us anymore, we have to leave before we end up dead too.

 

Richy: Let's not be too hasty...

 

Thomas: I'm going nowhere, I can't leave Hannah alone

 

Manon: Me and Jake will keep looking for her, don't worry

 

Thomas: But you're not actually here, are you Manon?

 

Manon scowled at her screen, fucking Thomas. He’d done nothing but fuck up their progress and hide things from her, she wanted to strangle him. Jake set his hand on her thigh, making her twitch when his thumb idly stroked the sensitive skin there to calm her, the effect doing everything but. She peeked at him through the curtain of her hair but he was reading the chat attentively and she made herself concentrate again in spite of the fire trailing behind his touch.

 

Dan: I have to say, leaving this place is the best idea any of you have ever had

 

Manon: I have to agree with Dan. But where will you go?

 

Cleo: Yeah, do you expect us to board the next plane and escape the country?

 

Jessy: If it's up to me yes!

 

Cleo: I can't leave with a clear conscience right now, Jessy.

 

Jessy: Cleo, we are sitting ducks here. The only thing waiting for us is certain death.

 

Richy: It doesn't have to be as drastic as leaving the country and hiding on some island. I have an idea!

 

Richy: I have friends who own a cabin just outside of Duskwood, it's well hidden in the woods, nobody knows it's there but us. I'm sure if I explain our situation they'll let us rent it straight away.

 

After some convincing everyone agreed to let Richy try to set it up, Manon was practically buzzing in anticipation and Jake wasn’t helping matters, his hand crept farther up her thigh every so often and she had to stop herself from jerking every time. The air around them seemed charged and she struggled to think past it. 

"I can't wait for him to find out his friends no longer own it,” Manon said.

 

Jake snorted and nudged her with his shoulder, making her laugh.

 

"You're diabolical."

 

Manon could only agree, enjoying the moment of levity in the middle of this latest shitstorm. 

 

Richy: I’ve sent them a message. Shouldn’t be too long guys  

 

Manon turned to grin at Jake but found he was already looking at her, his hand still on her thigh like it had every right to be there and she would be damned before she told him to move it. They'd somehow gotten even closer, she was pressed against him from her shoulder all the way to her knee, their mouths only inches apart. Manon licked at her lips, they'd suddenly gone dry and Jake followed the movement, his eyes glinting when they again met hers and her blood began roaring in her ears as the pull between them became intolerable. It was inevitable.

 

Manon wasn't sure who closed the distance first, maybe it was both of them but she forgot to care as his lips brushed against hers, the tickle of his beard was strange but pleasant. The featherlight touch a question and she answered him in kind, surging toward him and increasing the pressure, tracing the shape of his mouth with her own. Jake made an enticing sound in the back of his throat, and his other hand wrapped around the back of her neck, fingers tangling in the hair at her nape.

 

Manon arched into him, cupping his face with both hands and opened her mouth when he nipped at her bottom lip, his tongue sweeping boldly inside to brush against hers, the taste of him causing her to moan into his mouth. The hand on her neck tightened, holding her to him and she bit at his bottom lip, delighting in his deep groan and the hand on her thigh inched closer to where she was beginning to ache for him. Her hands went to his hair, digging them in and tugging it lightly, she smiled against him when he growled then broke away to mouth at her neck. His teeth grazed over her pulse and she threw her head back, baring her throat and he took what she offered, biting that sensitive spot between her neck and shoulder. The lick of pain pulled another low moan out of her and he soothed the hurt with a sweep of his tongue before claiming her mouth again, the rough scratch of his beard a sensation she’d never realised she needed. 

 

She was on fire, her mind scattered to the wind and she couldn't think of a reason to stop this. She'd never felt so thoroughly undone by a kiss before and the slickness between her thighs only egged her on. The hand between her legs brushed teasingly over the seam of her and Manon cursed the fact she was wearing leggings, her hips grinding down as he did it again. She was happy to find he was just as affected as she, the hard length of him under her spurring her on. His fingers feinted over her clit, driving her insane and every part of her brain still capable of thought screamed at him to stop playing. She moved to grab his hand and guide him to where she needed him when Jake stopped moving, so suddenly that she whined. He removed his hand and pressed a gentle kiss to her puffed lips. She looked at him, confused and he leaned his head against the wall and groaned.

 

"Your phone is vibrating like mad and I really don't want to fuck you for the first time on the motel floor." 

 

"How about on the motel bed?" she suggested, only half joking.

 

Jake gave a fond snort and smoothed his hands over her hair, she leaned into it like a cat begging for pets and he laughed.  

 

Manon, heaved a sigh, highly frustrated. "Duty calls. Fuck my life. "

 

Manon picked up her phone, her plan to observe her friends before meeting them now off the table. She was glad though, too tired of pretending she wasn't here and was dying to interrogate them in person and actually interact with them. Jake shifted under her to reach for his own phone and she decided to get off of him, he was far too distracting and she had to make sure her friends didn't somehow find another house to rent before she could tell them. She settled back down beside him and was pleased when he laced his fingers through hers, holding her hand and it reassured her that he didn't regret what they'd almost done.

 

Richy: Guys, I can't rent the house.

 

Jessy: What, why? 

 

Richy: They sold it, I had no idea. They said it happened really fast and they couldn't say no.

 

Dan: Well, fuck. What now?

 

Cleo: What Dan said.

 

Thomas: I didn't want to go anyway

 

Richy: I don't know, it's the only place big enough for us all. 

 

Manon: I have room at my place for all of us, you can come stay with me.

 

Cleo: That's kind of you but how far away do you live, we cant travel out of the country, Manon.

 

Manon: You don't have to leave the country...

 

Manon: The person who bought that house, it was me.

 

Manon: I'm in Duskwood.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

 

 

Notes:

Chapter 5 is already written, I need to edit it and then I’ll post it. Things are heating up ;)

Chapter 5: And I’ll do anything you say, if you say it with your hands

Summary:

Manon and Jake move out of the motel, a call from a certain someone triggers Jake's jealousy and Manon makes dinner. Domestic bliss with plenty of dessert for them both before it all hits the fan. This is looooong!

Notes:

This chapter was written to Nine Inch Nails - Closer, Taylor Swift - Dress and Beyoncé - Partition. Make of that what you will...

 

p.s.
please don't read this at work or around family. It's not safe. If you want to skip the smut you can, it's the latter end of this chapter and starts when Jake tells her to wait for him.
Well, I did warn you it would be explicit.
Also I don't have to worry about budgets or anything so the cabin isn't identical to the one in the game!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

skin

 

 

And all we are is skin and bone,

Trained to get along

Forever going with the flow,

But you're friction

 

Two headlights shine through the sleepless night

And I will get you a, get you alone

Your name has echoed through my mind

And I just think you should know

 

That nothing safe is worth the drive

And I will follow you,  follow you home

 

This slope is treacherous

and I -I like it”

 

Treacherous – Taylor Swift

*******

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was well after midday, Manon had spent her morning at the bank and scoping out the Junkyard after a quick run to clear her head. Jake had stayed in the motel working on something he refused to discuss when she’d asked and didn't care to force it out of him now all her energy was focused on making sure everything went smoothly. She'd spent hours last night fielding the barrage of questions her friends sent in the wake of her confession and had been ready to pull her hair out by the end, Jake had been a soothing presence at her side so it wasn't all bad. In the end, all her friends except Dan had eventually agreed to move into the cabin on Saturday and Manon was grateful that her phone had been quiet since.

 

When she got back from spying on Richy's place, she spent another soul-destroying hour on the phone to the car rental place, convincing them to send her a car by dinner time that day, Jake smirking behind his screen whenever her tone turned vaguely threatening. She had to pay an extortionate fee but it would be worth it.

 

Jake had been slyly throwing questions at her all day, trying to figure out what she was up to and he would’ve been annoying if it hadn’t been for the long, sultry looks he’d send her way whenever she teased him. Manon deflected as best she could while giving enough to appease him, the look in his eye told her he knew she was being deliberately evasive but Manon pretended not to notice. 

 

The realtor had emailed her as they’d eaten a paltry lunch to tell her she could pick up the keys to the cabin that evening, the movers had finished early. They’d packed their things within an hour and were killing time now. Manon was trying incredibly hard not to think about the kiss last night, every time she did, her body would flush hot and her eyes would glaze over. Jake hadn’t made any moves in bed last night, only wrapped his arm around her waist and wished her goodnight. She’d woken to find herself draped across his chest, legs tangled up in his and her face was buried in the crook of his neck. Thankfully she hadn’t drooled on him but it was close. He slept through her carefully moving out of his embrace but was wide awake when she got out of the shower. He’d slept the whole night, probably because she’d pinned him there the entire time but was grateful all the same, the dark circles were a little lighter today. 

 

He was now updating their evidence before packing the laptop away and Manon was listening to music through her AirPods. She needed something to drown out the constant mayhem going on in her head and Jake kept glancing at her with a fond smile whenever she began humming along. She was moving around the room to the beat of the song, unable to stay still as she triple-checked every corner to ensure she hadn't left any trace behind. Manon was trying not to panic at the thought of living with so many people after living alone for years, she’d probably end up locking herself inside her closet just to get some alone time.  She was absolutely overjoyed at having two nights alone with Jake before they all descended on her and fully intended to drive him insane. 

 

Manon was pacing a trail into the carpet when the music cut off and a call came through. She didn’t recognize the number but answered anyway. An automated voice told her it was from Maydol penitentiary, her heart kicked up as she waited for it to connect. Jake immediately lifted his head to watch her when she spoke  

 

“Hello?”

 

“Manon, it’s Phil, Jessy's brother.”

 

His voice was smooth and confident despite his new lodgings.

 

“Oh! Hi Phil.” Confusion was clear in her voice, cringing as Jake closed the lid on the laptop and she heard him rustle in his bag.

 

Oh, here we go...

 

Manon felt Jake's attention on her and slid her gaze to him, his comely face was carefully blank but those pretty eyes of his were irritated. She looked away when Phil spoke again. 

 

“I didn’t know who else to call," a pause as he gave a rough chuckle, " I guess you made an impression on me. Listen, you have to help me.”

 

Manon sat on the end of the bed so she could see Jake and spotted the phone he held to his ear and knew he was listening in. Fucking hackers. 

 

“And how exactly can I help you, Phil?”

 

Phil sighed and the confident tone dropped, panic took its place and she felt a pang of sorrow for him. He’d been pulled into this thanks to them. 

 

“Look, you’re the only one that seems to know what they’re doing in this place, Manon. You have to help me.”

 

“Again, how can I help you, I don’t even know why they arrested you!”

 

Phil gave up trying to keep his voice calm. 

 

“They arrested me because of my connections to Michael Hanson! You have to prove it wasn’t me, you’re my only hope.”

 

Jake was scowling, shaking his head but her frazzled mind grasped onto the name Phil had given and was trying to fit it together with everything she knew. 

 

“Michael Hanson? You don’t mean -“

 

Manon groaned as she was cut off before she could finish, the automated voice told her his credit was running out and she lifted a hand to her hair to rake through it as a helpless feeling seeped into her mind. Manon hated that feeling, it smothered and weighed her down. 

 

“I don’t have much time, please Manon. You have to help me.”

 

Manon could only sit there as the call cut off and music blasted far too loudly in her ear. 

 

“Jesus H Christ, why does it always do that!”

 

She ripped the earbuds out and flung them over her shoulder, avoiding looking at Jake whose black mood she could almost feel, like an icy fog creeping over her. 

 

“How exactly does he expect you to prove his innocence?” he asked too calmly.

 

Manon sighed heavily, a weight not unlike an iron cape settled over her shoulders and she slowly turned to face him and shrugged her tight shoulders. 

 

“Because he knows I'm looking for Hannah and might have information that could exonerate him, I don't know.”

 

“Why would he call you and not his lawyer?” 

 

Manon bit down on the sarcastic retort she wanted to give, the jealousy in his eyes stopping her short. 

 

“I don’t know Jake, Jessy hasn’t said if he’s even spoken to one yet. Only that her sister had gotten him one and if they're anything like the police force here, he's fucked.”

 

She watched him struggle, those eyes never leaving her face as though searching for answers there but she had none. He looked away, a tick in his jaw and when he spoke, he directed the words to the wall. 

 

“I told you, I don’t like him, Manon.” He admitted through gritted teeth. 

 

Manon smothered her smile, rocking back on her hands as he fought with himself before turning back to her, the raw honesty in his eyes almost knocking the wind out of her. She chose violence though. 

 

“And why is that Jake? Why does he get under your skin so easily?” Jake glared at her, she wouldn’t beat around the bush. Not with him. “How many times are we going to have this argument before it sinks into that big brain of yours, hmm? ”

 

She knew but wanted to hear him say it, leaning back on her elbows Manon waited him out. He looked at her so openly, she saw the thoughts run like water across his face and almost felt bad for pushing him but he had to see past his jealousy with Phil. She couldn't have this same argument again and again, they had too many other battles to wage.

 

“I just …” a hard swallow, he fiddled with the phone in his hands as he filtered through the words and she’d have bet her life if they’d been talking over the chat he’d have deleted 6 answers before finally settling on one that revealed too little. 

 

“He likes you, Manon.”

 

It was the cold hard truth as he saw it and Manon relaxed, rising from the bed and went to him. She beside him hugging her knees and leaning into his side, some of the tension left him at the connection. Manon chose to look straight ahead before answering, hoping if he wasn’t being watched he’d be able to speak plainly.  

 

“Many people do, I’m a likable person.” He huffed in frustration, her attempt at a joke not helping matters so she changed tactics.

 

“Why does that matter, Jake when you know I don't feel the same?” 

 

She said it gently, imploring him to see between the lines. He shifted beside her and she stifled the urge to grab his hand. 

 

“It shouldn’t.” He admitted, and Manon nodded.

 

“You don’t have to worry about Phil, Jake.” She whispered when he didn't speak for what seemed like an age, unable to stand the loaded silence any longer. 

 

“Don’t I? You did agree to go for a drink with him.”

 

She groaned, annoyed now and desperate to make him see. 

 

“And as I told you then, I said that to be polite and nothing more.”

 

“I know. I’m sorry Manon, I don't know how to explain it. When it comes to you all my rules go out the window and I don't know how to navigate this.”

 

Manon bit her lip, he'd said more than she thought he would, he’d shown her how he felt in his odd, formal way. She hoped one day he’d have the words to tell her properly. 

 

“Okay, let me say it in a way you’ll understand.” She had to get him to move past this and see her heart. 

 

“I only want to help Phil because I think he will be more useful to us if he's set loose in Duskwood. He’s tied so tightly to our case and him being stuck in jail isn’t helping us.” Jake rolled his eyes and her voice turned seductive. She leaned in close, a slow smile when he swayed toward her subconsciously and breathed in the smell of him. That spicy, smoky scent he wore kindling her attraction to dangerous levels.

 

“Whenever you start to worry about him, can I ask you to do me a favor?”

 

Jake seemed suspicious of her sudden change of mood but nodded, eyes dipping to her mouth and staying there. Manon grinned and leaned in further to whisper in his ear. 

 

“Just remember that I sleep in your bed every night. It’s you that I really came here for, no one else.” She pulled back with a cheeky wink, patted his cheek and stood to put space between them, watching his face as her words sunk in. 

 

She would’ve laughed if the desire in his eyes hadn’t caused her stomach to dip and her mouth to go dry. Jake didn't reply but he didn’t need to, his face said it all and her mind skipped ahead of time when she could make good on all the things she’d promised herself they’d do together. Not long now. 



 

***

 

 


Manon was bouncing on the balls of her feet, car keys in hand and waiting for Jake to finish loading their bags into their hire car. A very talkative man called David had dropped it off half an hour ago and Manon was itching to get going, excitement and impatience warring within her to create a chaotic energy she had no release for. Not yet anyway. She ogled Jake as he bent over to shove her heavy case to the back of the trunk, he had a lovely ass and she had half a mind to start dropping things on the floor so he'd pick them up for her. The bend and snap trick would definitely work for him.

 

He had a surgical face mask on today since they had to leave the safety of the motel, it was black of course. All she could see of his face were his electric eyes and shiny black hair in need of a cut, he still managed to look amazing, it was highly unfair. He'd walked out of the Motel after Dave left and Manon had been struck dumb, his usual black jeans and hoodie with a worn leather jacket over the top and his heavy combat boots, it all served to drive her mad. If he'd had his glasses on she would have simply expired on the spot. Manon had worn ripped jeans and a cropped jumper. With her own leather jacket slung across her shoulders and a pair of comfy ankle boots, she had left her long hair loose and it fell down her back in waves. Jake had told her she looked nice, which equated to beautiful in his language considering how awkwardly he said it, he could make her whimper in his arms with his tongue alone but he couldn't seem to make it work in conversation. Manon jumped when he slammed the lid of the trunk down, snapping her back to the present and her patience finally snapped.

 

“Come on! Get your magnificent butt in the car, I’m dying to drive.”

 

Manon ran around the front of the car and dropped into the driver's seat. She had to adjust it so she could actually see over the dash before buckling her seatbelt and lovingly stroking her hands over the wheel. Jake settled into his seat, watching her fondle the car and fighting a smile at her visible excitement. Manon turned it on and connected her phone to the sound system, clicking onto her driving playlist and hitting shuffle. Jake snorted when NIN - Closer began playing and she smiled mischievously over at him.

 

“I can’t wait to get away from this place, let's go!” she couldn't keep the joy out of her voice, too delighted they were moving forward at last. " I'm taking you down the backroads to have my way with you once we've got the keys.”

 

Jake sat back in his seat and rolled his eyes playfully. Manon eased them out of the motel parking lot and turned into town, her heart soaring at being able to drive again. Despite her annoyance at having to stick to the stupid town limit. She effortlessly wound them through the tight streets, irritation tried to spoil her mood whenever someone drove too slowly or came close enough to her bumper that she could see the whites of their eyes in the rearview. Jake kept his eyes on the road, tensing whenever she shouted at them to hurry up or back off, her low tolerance for slow drivers exacerbated her famous lack of patience. 

 

“Get off your fucking phone and drive, asshole!” Manon growled at the car ahead of her, it kept swerving, blocking her from overtaking it. She absolutely despised people that used their phones while driving and it never failed to ignite her temper.

 

“Manon, they can't hear you.” Jake's dry voice cut across the music and drew her attention away from the idiot in front of her.

 

Manon smirked and didn’t reply, singing along to the song as she turned into Andrew Kyles street and searched for a parking spot, finding one not far from his house. She turned off the car and turned to Jake.

 

”I won’t be long, try not to miss me too badly.” 


Manon impulsively kissed his cheek, shocking him which amused her greatly and quickly got out of the car to get this over with. The car doors locked behind her as she crossed the quiet road and climbed the steps to knock on the door. As though he’d been waiting for her, the door immediately swung open to reveal Andrew Kyle, a smile plastered on his face though his eyes gave away his relief at being done with her after this. Manon smiled brightly anyway. 

 

“Good day, Ms. Corvin. Please come in, it won’t take a moment.”

 

Manon followed him inside, glancing back at the car to find Jake watching her curiously and winked at him before closing the door. 

 

She eyed Andrew's back as they made their way to his office, she could hear a TV playing loudly upstairs, his wife she assumed. In his office, she closed the door and waited behind his desk as he gathered the documents before handing them and the keys to her. She closed her fist around the shiny brass key and bit back a laugh when he looked over her shoulder instead of at her face.

 

“Everything is exactly as you requested, Ms. Corvin. I checked myself and had the groceries stocked today. The new security system is ready to be activated. The number to call is in that file and if you have any problems please don’t hesitate to call my office.”

 

Manon could sense he wished to never see her again but still smiled politely and inclined her head. 

 

“Thank you for everything, Mr. Kyle. I appreciate all you’ve done for me.”

 

He nodded tersely and she felt a little bad, but the knowledge he’d be too terrified to ever speak of this beat the guilt back.

 

“I hope you enjoy living here, it’s a beautiful place.”

 

“I'm sure I will, goodbye Andrew.”

 

Manon walked out of the office and back into the street. Jake sat tensely in his seat until he spotted her, his shoulders falling and features softening when she crossed the road. Back in the car she handed him the file and keys which he took without glancing at them. His eyes never left her face. 

 

“He looked absolutely terrified of you, Manon. What did you do?”

 

Manon smirked, “He got a bit too curious and I reminded him of what would happen if he broke our agreement.”

 

Jake's brows lifted as he appraised her, respect in those vivid eyes and she could only smirk cheekily.

 

“Remind me to never get on your bad side.”

 

“You already have and you seemed to enjoy it.” She threw him a teasing grin before turning the car on, executing a sharp U-turn, and heading towards the outskirts. 

 

Once they were cloaked on either side by the towering walls of the forest and Manon could see the empty road ahead, she turned the music up and pressed her foot down on the accelerator. Her heart jolted forward as the car did, the engine snarling beautifully as they gained speed, and a familiar buzz spread through her limbs, making her feel weightless. Manon felt a little freer as she raced down the road, the trees nothing more than a green blur flashing by as she took every turn without slowing, she glanced at Jake and burst out laughing. He was grabbing the oh-shit handle so hard his knuckles were white and when he saw her looking at him, his gorgeous face went white in alarm. 

 

“Keep your eyes on the road, Manon!”

 

Manon cackled, “Relax Jake, I won’t hurt a single hair on your pretty head!” 

 

They drove for a while, Jake finally relaxing when she didn't steer them into any ditches and his hand found its way to her thigh, squeezing gently before going loose. The heavy, warm feel of it now familiar to her, he seemed to find it easier to touch her than talk and said more with each careless bit of contact, thrilling her every time. Manon pushed the car harder as the road evened out again, the satnav told her their turn was coming up soon, excitement swirled with nerves inside her. Manon spied the turning just ahead, slowing the car enough to swing them right into it, Jake flexed his hand against her thigh as she checked her speed. The drive to the house was longer than she’d thought but when they finally came to the end of it she pulled them into one of the 4 spaces, silence filled the car as she cut the power. They sat there gaping up at the stunning house. 

 

It had been described as a cabin but it wasn’t really, a grandiose combination of stone and wood, two stories tall and very spacious. There was decking leading around the back and balconies on the upper floors. If this was a cabin she’d love to know what their idea of a mansion was. Jake was quiet beside her, the air between them loaded with unheard questions but she shook herself, holding her hand out for the keys, and got out of the car. The slamming of the passenger door told her Jake had pulled himself together and followed. She popped the trunk and reached in to pull their bags out but Jake stopped her with a hand at the base of her spine, Manon suppressed the urge to arch into it when he leaned over her.

 

“I’ll get these, go see your new home, Manon.”

 

Manon straightened, better ideas taking center stage in her mind at the solid feel of him behind her but reluctantly did as he said, the hand at her back curving over her hip as she turned to walk away. She was dying to see it and ran up the stairs to unlock the front door and pushed it open to reveal a beautiful open space. It was decked out in warm wood and rich toned tile. A wood stove took centerstage and she could see her dining table and chairs behind it. Another door led out the back and to the decking on the other side. She slowly walked in, her head swinging wildly from side to side as she took it all in.

 

She made her way to the kitchen and sighed happily. The kitchen island was again made of wood with deep blue tiles on the floor and copper accents on the cabinets. Her glass door fridge was stocked to the brim and she ran her hand along the island as she peeked into the cupboards. She had to hand it to Andrew, he’d done exactly as she’d asked and more. There was a wine rack that he’d stocked with all kinds of wine, the liquor cabinet filled to the brim as well. All her favorite equipment sat gleaming on the counters. Everything had arrived safe and sound, the sight of them loosened a knot in her chest, she hadn’t realized how worried she was to lose any of it. She lifted herself up to sit on the island and take it all in, kicking her feet as she heard Jake shut the front door. Manon listened as he came into the kitchen and dropped the bags to the floor. 

 

“Okay, explain. I expected a little hut, not a forest palace.”

 

Manon looked back at him and smiled.

 

“I didn’t know exactly what it would be like. I only saw photos and they weren’t great. I’m just as surprised as you.”

 

Jake looked around, eyes wide and disbelief clear on his pretty face. 

 

“I don’t know what to say to that.” 

 

Manon chuckled and hopped down from the island and skipped to his side, grabbed his hand and tugged him along, aware he allowed her to do it. 

 

“Come on, let’s look around!” 

 

Her excitement was clear and he seemed to catch it, his fingers tightening in hers and he kept pace with her easily. They climbed the stairs and stood on the landing surveying the doors that led into the bedrooms. She aimed for the first one and pushed it open, two beds greeted her, the room cozy and warm. 

 

“This is definitely not our room.” She said with a frown at the two beds. Jake wisely didn’t say anything. 

 

The next room was better, a double bed took up most of the space, but it was too close to everyone else for her purposes. The next door led to the bathroom, it was spacious and very tastefully decorated. Red accents everywhere and a big white tub with balcony doors behind it. A walk-in shower to the left that she decided to test out another time, hopefully not alone. Andrew had mentioned a steam room too but she didn’t bother checking it yet.

 

Manon was practically bouncing from door to door, growing more hyper by the minute as it finally sunk in that she was here at last. Jake was a quiet presence at her side, watching her take it all in and probably wondering why she was acting like a cracked-out squirrel. The last room was the biggest, it had three double beds which she immediately assigned to the girls before walking out and turning to face the attic steps. This was the one, she already knew but had wanted to drag it out and give Jake time to think through the list of questions she knew he was compiling. The attic ran the length of the house, a huge open space and fully kitted out for living in. Manon slowed as they ascended, the stairs were tight and they bumped shoulders as they climbed, both of them refusing to let go of the other. Every brush of their clasped hands against her side made her anticipation ramp-up to new levels. They cleared the stairs and her mouth fell open. It was more than she’d dreamed. 

 

The king bed she’d asked for took pride of place beneath the open windows, the red sheets against the black leather frame looked made for long sinful nights. A large sheepskin rug covered the hardwood floors and she wanted to sink her toes into it. She slipped her hand free of Jake and headed farther in, turning to see a black leather couch against one wall and there on the opposite side was her office space, with plenty of room for Jake's kit and a desk for him. Manon realized with a small smile that she’d be able to watch him as he worked thanks to how they’d set the desks out, hers was behind his. A large bookcase filled with her favorite books stood alone behind both desks, Manon walked to her desk and set her hands flat on top. Her computer and all her files had been set out, the cabinets clearly labeled in her tight script. Manon looked around for the safe they promised would be installed and her eyes landed on a door to her right, in the view from her desk. She walked over to it and tried the handle but it wouldn’t budge. 

 

Manon knocked on it and found it didn’t sound like wood, it was steel with a thin board covering it to disguise it. Her smile grew devious as she spotted the dial, cunningly hidden under the door knob so it looked like an ordinary lock. She remembered the combination and knew the movers had no idea what was inside. Manon heard Jake come up behind her so didn’t open it yet, wanted to save that part of her life for another time. 

 

“Well, I have to admit that they’ve done everything I asked and I can’t quite believe it was so easy.”

 

Jake cocked a brow, so many questions swam in his bright eyes but she ignored them and ran for the bed, throwing herself on top of it. 

 

“Finally, no more harsh white sheets, questionable duvets and lumpy mattresses.”

 

Jake snorted and she couldn’t help but lift her head to grin at him. 

 

“What? I like to be comfortable!” 

 

“I have no doubt. I’m just surprised you don’t have your own personal butler.”

 

“Who says I don’t?” She wiggled her brows at him and he laughed. 

 

Manon sat up and looked out the window, forest as far as the eye can see, though it did look pretty under the clear blue sky and dazzling sunshine. She felt Jake's eyes on her as she closed her eyes and breathed in deep, the scent of the wood and clean sheets calming her. She knew they had an en-suite here too, could spy the door beside the couch and got up to check it out. Jake stayed by the bed until she squealed. 

 

“Oh my gods! I am moving in here and you will all have to fend for yourselves.”

 

Manon climbed into the empty claw foot tub. The thing was big enough for four of her and she was insanely pleased by it. Another shower stood behind it, not as large as the one downstairs but big enough for two if they wanted. This is where she wanted to be soon, upto her neck in hot water and bubbles, sipping wine and eating cheese while Jake told her stories. A double vanity sink took up one side and a frosted glass window let in plenty of warm sunlight without destroying their privacy. Oh yes, she could live a long happy life in here. 

 

Just as the thought crossed her mind her stomach grumbled, they hadn’t eaten since their pitiful lunch and it was now after dinner time. Jake laughed at her pouting and held out a hand to help her climb out which she took gratefully. There was no way to climb out gracefully but she managed not to fall on her face and he led her back through the room and down into the kitchen. 



***

 

 


They were sitting shoulder to shoulder at the kitchen island, Manon had made them a quick dinner and they were eating quietly to a soundtrack of Taylor Swift. Manon barely tasted her food, alternating bites of pasta with mouthfuls of wine as she replayed the moment between them earlier again and again. Wanting to commit it to memory.

 

 

 

 Manon couldn’t help but feel a sense of urgency, like everything between them would change tonight and could tell Jake felt it too by the way he kept fidgeting in his chair, his heavy gaze following her around the room. She cleared her throat as she opened the cabinet and attempted to reach up to the top shelf, cursing her modest height and whoever put the chili oil up there. Manon was about to climb up onto the counter to get it when she felt a heat at her back, a muscular arm stretched over her head to grab it for her and Manon could only stand there enveloped in Jake. Her every sense fired as his warmth and scent wrapped around her. Manon breathed him in and didn’t dare break the spell as he lowered his arm and set the oil down in front of her, not moving from behind her once he closed the door. 

 

 “Thank you.” Her voice no more than a breathless whisper. Almost jumping out of her skin when he nosed her hair away from her ear and spoke into it, the wash of his hot breath down her neck making her shiver.

 

You’re welcome, Manon.”

 

His lips grazed her ear and then he was gone taking the warmth with him and she tried to wrap her mind around what had just happened. Fuck, she was fucked.





Manon came back to the present, blinking the memory away for now.

 

“What are you thinking about right now?” She dared to ask, tired of the silence and Taylor Swift singing about Illicit Affairs in the background wasn’t helping her overactive imagination to calm the fuck down. 

 

Jake swallowed and turned to her, snaring her in his piercing gaze and Manon wished she hadn’t asked, could see her own ardour reflected back at her.

 

“Wondering how the hell you pulled everything off but I know you won’t tell me.”

 

Manon relaxed, glad he didn’t give voice to any of the thoughts swimming across his face, she couldn’t be held responsible for what she’d have done if he had. Manon looked back at her food and pushed it around while she thought over her answer but there was only one he deserved.

 

“I will, when the right time comes.” She said cheekily and he grumbled good naturedly. 

 

“You’re never going to forget that are you?”

 

She shook her head, a crooked smile playing on her mouth, “Memory of an elephant me.” 

 

“Yeah, I’m learning all about that.” He took another bite, eyeing her curiously before throwing her question back to her.

 

“What are you thinking, Manon?” 

 

She looked away and lifted her glass to her mouth, clearing her mouth to buy herself time and decided to be wicked. 

 

“You don’t want to know, you’ll get me arrested for sexual deviance.”

 

Jake choked on his own wine and she threw her head back and cackled wildly. She thumped a hand on his back, the look on his face was glorious and it took all her strength to stop laughing.

 

“You never say what I think you’re going to say. I can’t keep up with you.”

 

 Manon bit down on her lip and calmed herself, the retort she had ready would only scandalise him further. 

 

“Hmm, we’ll see about that.” She winked and let him breathe, focusing on eating her food again and holding back the giggle creeping up her throat. She thought he’d let it lie but should’ve known better.

 

“Now you have to tell me.”

 

Manon set her fork down and pretended to think it over. She brought her glass to her lips  and chugged the rest of her wine, the heat of his gaze a brand on her face as watched her.

 

“Wouldn't you rather I showed you? It would be far more effective I think.”

 

He audibly swallowed and she risked a glance at him, the harsh planes of his face visibly heated at her being so forward, the predatory glint in those eyes aimed right at her. It was enough to have her cross her legs to dampen the heat sparking to life between them. It was his turn to down the wine, he reached past her for the bottle and filled his glass to brim, pouring the rest into hers and it was all she could do not to dissolve into a puddle of laughter at his feet. 

 

He reacted so beautifully was it a wonder she always had to poke and prod at him? His next words were thick with a familiar smoky haze she could feel creeping through her own mind. 



 “I think I'd like that, a demonstration would be enlightening.”

 

Manons startled gaze flew to his when he spun her to toward him, his hands gripped her thighs, making her jolt and he smiled slowly at her reaction before kissing her lips and clearing away their plates. She was left blinking at the space he’d just vacated and very unsettled, arousal a heady thing in her blood as she dimly noted the sound of him loading the dishwasher and then he was back. He grabbed her hand and pulled her up, leading her through the house and up the stairs, her heart pounding with their footsteps in the quickly darkening house. Night was falling and Manon had no idea if she’d survive the fire between the two of them but was willing to try if he did the burning. 

 

 

He surprised her though, stopping on the first floor and turning her to face him. 

 

“I'm going to secure the house, will you wait for me upstairs?” 

 

She frowned, confused and his hand tilted her chin back so she could see his eyes and he smiled at her. 

 

“Trust me. I won’t take long, Manon.”

 

His words were full of dark promise and she turned in a daze and walked toward the staircase as though someone else was operating her body. The beat of her heart threatened to deafen her but somehow Manon made it into the bedroom and turned on the light. She wanted this, had wanted it from the moment they’d met and she knew he could take whatever she threw at him and throw it right back. Manon didn’t care about the people after him or that they were living a nightmare, she’d long since learned you had to take your joy whenever and wherever you could, life didn’t offer many chances at it. Usually, before she began a new relationship there were many doubts and fears, with Jake she only felt a sense of safety even as this town threatened to destroy them and those they held dear. It was oddly liberating, having nothing but desire and hope coursing through her mind as she ran to the windows, hauling them closed and pulling the curtains shut. Her eyes skittered around the room, not settling on anything until she saw into the bathroom and decided to strip out of her tight jeans.

 

Manon didn’t bother to close the bathroom door before she was unbuttoning her jeans and pulling them off. She pulled her sweater over her head and saw her silk robe laid over the lip of the bath. Jake had brought their bags up while she’d made dinner and must’ve set it out for her, the thought was oddly endearing. Manon dithered for a moment before she took off her underwear and grabbed it and threw it on. She loosely tied it at the waist as she heard Jake enter the room and felt him stop in the doorway behind her.

 

“You were supposed to wait for me, Manon.” The low sound of his voice seemed too loud in the quiet house. She slowly turned to face him.

 

“You took too long.” She returned and he gave her a playful glare. 

 

Her eyes trailed over his chest and up the column of his throat to the strong jaw she’d long wanted to scratch her nails against and finally met the lust dark eyes that had held her captive since they’d met. They were almost violet now. He took in her scantily class form, the robe barely covered her and left her legs bare to his slow appraisal. It seemed to Manon that he’d finally decided what he wanted, the sudden confidence he exuded a turn on she hadn’t expected and she fought the urge to shift on her bare feet. He took a step toward her and held out a hand, she took it and waited when he opened his mouth to speak. 


“I have to make sure Manon, is this truly what you want?”

 

Manon knew he meant more than sex, the undercurrent of his words asking if she wanted all that came with being with him. There was no doubt in her mind or her body, she’d decided a while ago and wouldn’t second guess herself. So she nodded, Jake sighed in relief, muttering “thank fuck” and then he moved.

 

Jake pulled her hand and dragged her against him, wrapping his arms around her. Manon held his shirt in two tight fists as she looked up at him, her mouth parting as he ran a hand down her silk-covered spine, the other settled low on her hip and tightened, pulling her flush against his front. He had that soft look in his eye again, the one she saw whenever she did something that amused or impressed him. Her fingers flexed and she felt the muscle under his shirt jump and tilted her head back, making it clear what she wanted. 

 

Jake lowered his head so slowly she thought she’d go mad, every second seemed longer than the last. Then something in him snapped and he was on her. She let go of his shirt and flung her arms around his neck, pulling him down to her and increasing the pressure, their teeth clashing as they hurriedly tried to get inside the other. It wasn’t a pretty or gentle thing, it was messy and hungry. Both of them fought for control, learning the other's needs and Jake won, his hands slipped under her ass and heaved her up, her legs wrapped around his narrow waist as she gave herself over to him and let him direct the pace. The knot at her waist was pulled and it slipped free, the robe slipped from her shoulders, falling around her hips, baring her chest. Her nipples hardened as lust thick and hot shot down to her center and pooled between her legs he growled when she pressed herself against him. 

 

He turned them and pressed her back against the wall, the cold tile against her overheated skin making her arch against him, lining her hips up with the thick hardness she could feel growing against her folds, liquid heat pooled between her thighs and Manon could hardly breathe. The hand at her waist trailed up her side teasingly slow and she moaned into his mouth when he finally palmed her breast. Lightly tugging and rolling her nipple between finger and thumb and she whimpered, the sound only spurring him on and his other hand worked its way into her hair, twisting it as she clawed at his shoulders and hung on for dear life. She became nothing but the lust and need coursing through her veins.

 

He deepened their kiss, tongue sweeping inside her mouth, completely obliterating all thought and she met him stroke for stroke, doing her best to keep up. The bristle of his beard scraping at her skin only heightened everything else he was doing and she dimly wondered how many women he’d had to be able to do this to her so quickly, an ache starting to build in her core. She was panting, pulling air from his lungs and biting at that plush bottom lip with her teeth, he snarled and thrust his hips against hers, the friction making her gasp and realize he was still fully clothed while she was practically undone, that had to change. She broke away from his mouth, teeth snapping at his jaw before she leaned back and grabbed his T-shirt, giving it a tug now she was beyond words and he thankfully understood. He untangled her legs from around his waist to set her on her feet, where she stood impatient and twitchy as he shucked the shirt over his head and she finally saw what he looked like under it. He was beautiful, she let her robe slither down her arms to the floor and hoped he thought the same of her. 

 

Manon had felt the strength of him under her hands and against her back but it was nothing compared to how he looked now. Her fingers danced across his chest, stroking softly and he let her look her fill, his chest rising and falling with every breath. He was all lean hard muscle and silken skin, he clearly kept fit to be able to run at a moment's notice. A sprinkling of dark hair trailed from his chest and she followed it down, down, down until it disappeared under the waistband of his jeans and she grinned wickedly before reaching for the button and flicking it open. He raised an amused brow at her impatience before picking her up again, not giving her time to enjoy the view before his mouth was back on hers and she felt the hard wall at her back again. Her thighs tightened around his waist and she arched against the hard length of him nestled between her legs, a slow slide of her slick folds to make him feel as unhinged as she did.

 

The need was almost painful in its intensity and she whined and writhed, chasing any friction she could as he roughly fondled her chest and nipped his way up her throat. The hard length of him between her legs He stole her breath and drank from her mouth for an age before pulling back and gripping her chin. 

 

“What do you want, Manon? I need to hear you say it.”

 

She was so wet already but his words made her even more so, a trickle of flame flowing down to the core of her as she looked at him and buried her hands in his hair. Drawing his mouth back to hers for a moment before the words came to her. 

 

“Fuck me, Jake. Now.”

 

Jake closed his eyes and groaned. Her heart melted when he checked in with her again. 

 

“Are you sure?”

 

She only slid her hand between their bodies, wrapping it around his hard cock, stroking him root to tip. The weight and heat of him in her hand very exciting. Manon watched his reactions as she handled the lovely length of him, swiping the drop of moisture that beaded under her thumb, his handsome face set hard as he restrained himself and she felt strangely powerful when his eyes opened, the blue swallowed by black. She didn’t want him to hold back with her, would never want him to hide who he was and told him so. 

 

“I want all of you, is that enough? Don’t be gentle, I can take it.”

 

His eyes seemed to grow even darker and she smiled as his control broke, and he rubbed his length along her folds, causing her to shudder before he lined up to enter her, his mouth fixed to hers and with a harsh snap of his hips he was abruptly inside her. Manon's mouth opened in a silent scream, eyes screwed shut as she adjusted,  the lick of pain helping her along and Jake took full advantage. The flick of his tongue in her mouth an echo of him in her cunt and if he hadn’t been holding her to him she’d have fallen to the ground.

 

Jake went still, breathing hard against her open mouth and she dared to look at him. Eyes staring blindly at each other, him searching to see if she was okay and her making sure he was as affected as she was. The feel of him so deep inside her, she felt every hard inch of him and it threatened to snap her in two if he didn’t move but she couldn’t find the words to tell him, rolled her hips instead. He moved her as though she weighed nothing, mouthing at her jaw, taking tiny bites of her skin and hissing as he pulled almost all the way out of her, the rough drag of his cock against her resisting walls drawing a long, low moan from her throat and he watched her face intently before thrusting back in. Noting her every reaction and anticipating what she’d want next.

 

Manon was surprised he wasn’t bleeding, the way her nails dug into his back it had to be painful but he didn’t seem to notice as he set a punishing pace, each snap of his hips forcing her further up the wall. Her eyes fluttered closed, unable to watch him as he ruined her for anyone else. She felt his mouth close around her breast and pull, she almost sobbed, jerking against him as her walls tightened around him, pulling a low growl from him. His strokes inside her grew erratic as she writhed, grinding her hips down to meet him thrust for thrust and he gripped her chin roughly, dragging her mouth back to his. Seeming unable to stay away from her and the taste of him on her tongue made her want to devour him, the itch of his beard turning the skin around her mouth red.

 

She gave herself over to the rising tide of desire, let it swallow her whole as he drove her higher and higher, each deep slide of him within her sending tingles through her limbs. The promise of release was just out of reach, a cord that twisted and tugged with every dart of his hips and featherlight touch as his fingers ghosted over her skin. She was an eager participant, her hands mapping the skin of his back and dipping down to squeeze his ass, pulling him even closer and trying to take him down with her. She broke away from his lips and left a trail of open-mouthed kisses down the column of his neck, biting the delicate skin there and sucking it into her mouth, his hips faltered and she smiled. Soothing the hurt with a sweep of her tongue before finally scratching her nails through the scruff of his beard, Jake leaned into it and smirked at her.

 

Manon claimed his mouth again, needing to wipe that smug look off his face even as she panted and moaned for him. Manon was crazed when his hand slid from her chin to cup her throat. She leaned into it, encouraging him to press harder and moaning shamelessly when he did, the pressure making her flutter around his cock, his answering groan music to her ears. It wasn’t enough though, the position only serving to wind the cord tighter and tighter, unable to snap and send her soaring. She opened her eyes and met his, grabbing hold of his face in both hands.

 

“Bedroom, now.”

 

He chuckled, calling her a demanding little thing, and carried her, slipping out of her as he walked them to the bed and lay her down. Manon forgot to be annoyed at that as he crawled over her and arranged her legs, throwing one over his shoulder and she wrapped the other around his hips. He wasted no time sinking back into her cunt and both of them groaned in relief, she was so wet now he had no trouble moving within her. The way he’d positioned her meant he ground against her clit with every thrust, the angle so deep she turned molten and too soon she felt the warning pulse of release, her head thrashed wildly against the sheets. Jake murmured encouragement and praise as he fucked her harder, she lifted her hips to meet him and deliberately tightened her walls around him, making him growl deep in his throat and lose his rhythm. She lifted her head to capture his lips and raked her nails down his back. She was so close now, balanced on a knife's edge, cutting her in two and he felt it, the fluttering of her walls around his cock giving her away. He broke away from her mouth, she gasped for air and cried out his name at a particularly vicious thrust. 

 

“Touch yourself, Manon, come for me.”

 

Manon shuddered at the dominance in his tone and let her hand fall from his back to slide between their sweat-slicked bodies, delving into the mess he’d made of her, soaking her fingers and feeling where they were joined. The cord within in her wound so tight she could hardly breathe, so close to cresting that peak and Jake somehow knew how to push her over.

 

“Good girl, you can do it.”


oh, she definitely had a praise kink

 

Manon held his eye as her fingers swirled lightly around her clit, Jake watching her face all the while as he plunged into her, his soft grunts of pleasure mixing with her throaty moans. She was aware of him whispering but didn’t understand any of the words, could only give in to the need ready to erupt inside her. She made quick practiced sweeps across the bundle of nerves as Jake slid an arm under her waist and her body bowed, tensing as her orgasm hit her fast and swift. Her mouth opened in a scream and he swallowed it down, his other hand in her hair, petting and calming her as she shook around him, her mind scattered in a haze of color and darkness. He slammed into her, riding her through it before the dam broke and he growled her name into her neck, biting her hard and she jerked under him, cunt trapping him like a vice as he came inside her. 

 

Jake collapsed on top of her, his weight welcome to keep her tethered to the here and now as she pieced the shatters of herself back together and calmed her breathing, aftershocks jumping under her skin. The sticky feeling of sweaty skin against skin a balm to her firing nerves and. Her mouth was dry, she had to swallow a few times to clear it as he raised himself off her and untangled them. She made an indignant noise but he smiled down at her, pressing a kiss to her forehead before he gently pulled out of her and got up to go to the bathroom. She took full advantage of him walking away, eyes roving over his broad shoulders and down to that fantastic ass, the strong thighs bunching as he knelt to pick up a towel and he disappeared from view. 

 

Manon closed her eyes and slapped a hand over her mouth. An irrational urge to laugh hit her as she heard him turn on the tap, feeling hyper instead of tired though she was too boneless to do more than gently stretch her sore muscles, the heavy ache between her legs only pleased her. Her eyes snapped open when she heard Jake groan, his hot gaze watching her every movement. She forgot to care about her scars, knew he could see them but his eyes didn’t even glance at them, only at her. He walked to her and she kept her eyes above his waist in an illusion of privacy which seemed insane considering what they’d just done but this was still new for them. He still had the towel and she raised a brow in question when he stood over her and gestured for her to part her thighs. Her mind clicked on too late as he used the damp fabric to clean her up, wiping the mess of them off her thighs and if she hadn’t been in love with him before, she was now. 

 

The word clanged around in Manon's head like a hammer against steel. Love. When the fuck had that happened? If Jake noticed her sudden realization he never said, focused on cleaning her up and making her comfortable. He finished his careful tending and leaned down to kiss her, a sensuous slide of his tongue in her mouth before he stood and threw the towel in the corner. 

 

Manon slid under the covers and held them open for him and grinned when he pulled her into a spooning position, nuzzling at her neck and running his hand along her hip. They lay there for long minutes, just quietly enjoying the other before Jake cleared his throat and broke it.

 

"Was that what you were thinking downstairs?"

 

Manon chuckled, her voice husky and teasing as she replied, "A little, the rest you'll get in, oh, about an hour."

 

Jake laughed against her neck, "Greedy little thing, aren't you?"

 

"I prefer "determined", thank you"

 

"An hour is fine, I'll go get us something to drink." he asked, a smile clear in his voice and it was her doing.

 

"That's the second best idea you've had today!" Manon agreed and turned to grin at him, he kissed the corner of her mouth before getting up to do as he'd said.

 

Manon watched him until he disappeared from view, feeling slightly intoxicated without any alcohol, and thanked her lucky stars for bringing her here, bringing him to her. Soon they'd know what they were up against and Manon could only trust her faith in herself and in them, that it would hold strong. She refused to accept anything less.

Notes:

I really hope this works, I haven't written smut in years and haven't posted it before so I'm very nervous but I really wanted to write a filthy romance lol Chapter 6 will be a continuation of this night and into the next one! Please leave a comment if you enjoy the story or the characters! It truly makes my week when people do.

Chapter 6: You did a number on me but honestly baby who's counting?

Summary:

We continue where we left off, a few secrets are shared and Friday speeds by in a blur. Manon gets stuck in her head when something annoys her but Jake takes care of her. Nothing plot-wise really happens here, except learning a tiny bit of Manon’s past, its an indulgent escape for them both to forget the world for a while and a break before the chaos starts.

Notes:

Music heavily inspires this story, Manon especially. I listen to Halsey’s If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power album when writing her, the lyrics and instrumentals in that album just scream Manon to me. For Jake I typically listen to rap music, NF and the Seige mostly with a little Fall Out Boy too! Taylor Swift influences them both when it comes to their romance, she has a song for everything and I find myself listening to her when writing the emotional stuff.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

so it goes

 

 

 

'Cause we breakdown a little
But when I get you alone, it's so simple
'Cause baby, I know what you know
We can feel it

And all the pieces fall
Right into place
Getting caught up in a moment
Lipstick on your face
So it goes
I'm yours to keep
And I'm yours to lose
You know I'm not a bad girl
But I do bad things with you
So it goes

Come here, dressed in black now
So, so, so it goes
Scratches down your back now
So, so, so it goes”

 

So it Goes... - Taylor Swift

******

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was strange, almost effortless how easy it was to fall back into their usual amicable chatter. Peppering each other with random questions, making light of the things they’d done and absolutely no awkwardness between them. Manon had worried while he’d been downstairs gathering wine and snacks that it would be uncomfortable when he finally came back up to the bedroom. The sound of his footsteps echoing up the stairs a matching beat to her racing heart. She needn’t have worried, he came with that dimpled half-smile, hands full of goodies and simply slotted himself in beside her as though he'd always been there.

 

It soothed her harsh edges and after a glass of wine she felt completely serene, her nervous tongue loosened by the alcohol. They were lying down facing each other, just two lovers in the dark getting to know each other, his hand drawing stars against the sensitive skin of her waist. She had done most of the talking, as was usual but he listened so intently and watched her every move as though desperate to learn everything about her. It was past midnight now, the questions that had earlier been light hearted now significant in their probing. Manon had to carefully pick out her every answer, revealing much but not enough at the same time. 

 

“What did you do before you came here?” His voice was husky and deep but somehow delicate in its hesitation. 

 

Manon drew in a breath and held it, weighing the pros and cons of telling him a bit of who she was without revealing the whole picture, scared of his reaction to what led to her being what she was. His eyes were clear, no judgement or artifice so she decided to tell him her most recent title. 

 

“I have my own business,” her voice was a quiet thing, too busy watching his face as he smiled imploringly at her. 

 

“Corvin Investigations, at your service.” Manon gave a mock salute and sat up to gulp down wine, suddenly anxious. 

 

Jakes intense gaze followed the sway of her breasts as she moved but she could see the crease in his brow as he sorted through her words. She settled back down, suddenly not sure of what to do with her hands and settled on tucking them under her head as she waited for him to speak, avoiding his eye. The hushed silence between seemed to hold its breath with her. 

 

“Fucking hell.” He muttered, slapping a hand to his forehead. 

 

Manons eyes flew to his face, confusion taking over the nervy energy radiating through her mind and body. 

 

“What?” She demanded softly when he didn’t elaborate and only shook his head, eyes wide. 

 

Jake chuckled, confusing her further but he did answer. 

 

“What are the odds Hannah sends the number of a damn Private Investigator? They must be astronomical.”

 

Manon relaxed slightly now she knew he wasn’t reacting negatively to her. 

 

“Well, I don’t think it was an accident.” Manon supplied.

 

Jake nodded, “I highly doubt it is. Corvin, that’s your last name then?”

 

Manon inclined her head yes and Jake looked to the sky. 

 

“Do you happen to know what Corvin means, Manon?” 

 

“… Raven.” Manon whispered, scared if she spoke louder that it would summon something neither of them wanted to face. 

 

Jake smiled grimly, “The odds just flew even higher. You’ll have a website then?”

 

Manon nodded, “Yes, but there is no personal information except the business name, PO Box address and …” she paused, realisation stilling her tongue. 

 

“Your phone number.” Jake finished for her and all she could do was nod. 

 

“I knew you were the key. I knew there was a reason but fuck me gently.” Jake laughed, the sound rich and strong, warming her to her marrow. Manon smiled fondly as he calmed down and met her eye. 

 

“So Hannah couldn’t get help from the police so she went looking for someone that could help her but in a way that wouldn’t alert the person after her?” Manon supposed, her voice contemplative and Jake shrugged a broad shoulder. 

 

“Possibly. How did she find you though? I’m guessing there are many Private Investigators for hire online.” 

 

Manon smiled brightly, cocky now, “Oh but there are none as good as me. There isn’t anything about me on my site but there are many client reviews and recommendations. I believe I am in the top 5 search results.” It also helped that her name was known by most of the people that sought her out.

 

“And if Hannah googled the name Corvin, what would she find, Manon?” Jakes voice was rough and low, sending a bolt of trepidation through her even while it aroused her. 

 

“She would see what it meant, maybe take it as a sign that I was the right choice.” Her words were guarded, she knew if he were to Google her full name, a wealth of news articles would pop up and he’d learn of everything she wasn’t ready to tell him. It shocked her he hadn’t already done so or if he had, he had an incredible poker face.

 

Jakes eyes were relentless in their watch of her, seeing too much. 

 

“Not only that though.” He stated plainly and Manon stiffened slightly. 

 

“No, there are other things too.” Her tone was flat, despondent and a spark caught in Jake’s eyes as he saw her hesitation. 

 

“You’re not going to explain that are you?” 

 

Manon shook her head. 

 

“Not yet. I will when I’m ready to open that particular vault of horrors but please don’t go looking yourself. I will tell you, just not tonight.” She was pleading and desperate to end this strand of conversation, Jakes face softened in the face of her worry. 

 

“I would never do that to you, Manon. Please tell me you know that?” Now he was the one pleading with her and she felt the tension drain from her body when his hand searched for hers, pulling it to his mouth to kiss the back of it. Manon let out a shaky breath. 

 

“I do but I also know how much you enjoy finding the things people want to keep hidden. It would be so easy for you to learn everything about me with one search while I still know next to nothing about you.” 

“What do you want to know?” He asked too quietly and Manon froze in shock, not expecting him to offer anything up to her beyond the barest details. There was one question she had to know though, one that could upend every plan she’d set in place for him.

 

”Who is really after you?” His eyes shuttered and she bit back a sigh before defiantly pushing on, “The people that tried to hack my phone did not look like any government agency I’ve ever seen, who are they?” 

He looked away, his face devoid of any emotion and her heart sank, feared he wouldn’t reply. When he looked at her again his eyes were clear, resignation settling over his handsome face and she almost felt bad for pushing him. 

“I thought they were the government, I’ve made many enemies though.” He admitted and searched her face, finding nothing but support there.

 

”My lifestyle is highly competitive, every one of us is striving to be the best and once you make a name for yourself you become a target for those that want your spot. I believe the people you saw were part of a small group that I took down. Hackers like them get rich through cloning credit cards, selling them on and stealing money from people who leave the door wide open for them. I try to stop that when I can, take the money and give it back. Sometimes they fight back, this looks like one of those times.”


Manon relaxed, smiling at the idea of him jumping in to help people and delighted by how much he’d told her. She knew a little of the darker side of it all, Steve would go on rants about this type of thing back when life was normal and she made a mental note to ask him more about it when he finally called her.

 

“So you’re like a modern day Robin Hood then?” She joked and he huffed a laugh, clearly unsure of why she was taking it so lightly.

 

”Not quite. I just don’t like seeing people taking advantage of others like that. If the person they steal from is a bad person I’ll leave them be but they were going after the most vulnerable people and I couldn’t let it continue. It took them months to rebuild and clearly they’ve learnt a few things in that time. You’re not upset?”

 

He was shocked and she kept smiling, making him frown as though concerned. 

“No, it’s quite sweet actually. So what about the government?” 

He took a steadying breath and shrugged.

 

”I don’t know. I can’t see them giving up but they have been quiet, except for a random few alerts at the beginning of all this.”

 

Manon somehow managed to keep her face blank and her body loose, she couldn't tell him what she'd done yet. Not until she spoke to Steve, dreaded the moment she had to tell him it was her fault. It made her a hypocrite but she still didn't know anything yet, and couldn't reveal her plan until she was certain. He thankfully didn't notice anything was off but she felt the sharp sting of remorse in her gut. She forced her mouth to work and luckily her voice was steady.

 

"Nothing since then, I take it?" She couldn’t help tensing while waiting for his reply.

 

"No, I don't think there will be for a while, they won't get through without an incredible amount of effort."

 

Manon loosed a breath and felt the tension drain out of her, Jakes fingers tightened around hers, pulling her toward him to embrace her. She let herself be comforted, his strong arms winding around her bare back and drawing their bodies flush. Every edge of him fitting perfectly with her curves and hollows, her softness melting against his hardness. He rubbed her back, his fingers trailing the rough edges of the scars there and stilling when he realized what they were. Manon sighed, knew what was coming next and though she thought he’d seen them earlier it seemed she’d been wrong. 

 

“What happened to you, Manon?” He spoke into her hair and she couldn’t look at him, speaking into his chest as she replied. 

 

“I was shot. Twice, those are the exit wounds.” 

 

Manon tightly locked down the memories that threatened to swamp her at her confession. Jake went so still she thought he’d stopped breathing. The hands around her back now gripping her tightly and it felt like an eternity passed before he found the words, though they weren’t the ones she expected. 

 

“Please tell me whoever did this to you is now dead?”

 

Manon pulled her face off his chest to look him in the face, a startled laugh bubbled up her throat at the promise of retribution on his face. She lifted her hand to cup his face, stroking her thumb over his strong cheekbone and kissing him tenderly for understanding without her telling him that she didn’t want pity. He kissed her back just as gently, her toes curling against his shin and she regretfully pulled back before it could turn into anything more. 

 

“Yes. I shot him at the same time be shot me, he didn’t walk away from it.” She admitted, only slightly fearful of his reaction but he kept showing her that he understood her. 

 

“Good.” That was all he said before he stole the breath from her in a searing kiss she felt in her toes. Grasping hands at her ass tugging her against his rapidly stiffening cock and she had to slow it down. Had something she had to ask first. 

 

“Wait, you can only continue if you answer me one more thing.” She was already gasping, moisture pooling between her legs, her body so responsive to him already it should’ve been annoying but was only exciting. Jake groaned and palmed at her ass before letting her go. 

 

Manon knew if she looked at him he would hide from her, so she put her back to him and dragged his arm over her waist so they were spooning. She couldn’t resist wriggling against the hard length she could feel pressed against her ass, a frustrated sound leaked from him. Jake sighed but tightened his hold, leaving no space between them as his other arm slid under her neck. Manon smiled and danced her fingers across the arm banded around her.. 

 

“Why did you fight so hard against this,” she gestured at them both, “before we met, but now you seem to have no problem?” 

 

He hadn’t expected her to ask that knew by the way his whole body seemed to subtly unwind and there was no hesitation before he replied. 

 

“It’s not that I have no problem …” Manon waited with bated breath, knowing he considered each word before speaking. 

 

“It’s that it became harder to fight against it than it was to give in and take it. You didn’t listen anyway, you knew what you were getting into and who am I to question it if you wanted me anyway?” 

 

Manon smirked, satisfied but couldn’t resist teasing him.

 

“Are you implying I forced you into it?” 

 

Jake chuckled, his fingers splayed across her stomach, her muscles tensed under his hand, embers sparking to life in her core and she shifted against his erection again, drawing a harsh breath from him. 

 

“Not at all. You were just … very convincing and I’d be a fool to think I knew what you wanted better than you.” Manon hummed her agreement, very pleased with herself and fell silent again, Jakes hand began moving over her skin.

 

They lay for long minutes, not speaking and his hand never ceased moving and she was all too aware they wouldn't sleep anytime soon. He scratched his blunt nails down her side and she fought not to buck in his arms. He wasn’t helping her calm down any, only riling her up and she wasn’t sure if it was on purpose until the hand at her hip moved down to cup her possessively in his palm, a finger dipping lazily into her folds, finding her wet already and she whined. He smiled against her neck and sucked the skin there into his mouth, marking her, and the thought of people seeing it made her wriggle impatiently against the cradle of his hips. 

 

“Greedy, aren’t you?”

 

She turned to glare at him, “You can’t expect me not to react when you do that.”

 

He smirked, bending to pull her bottom lip into his mouth, intent on making her writhe for him. He released it and she opened her mouth to reprimand him when he slid that finger inside her, his thumb making lazy movements against her clit as he moved it deep within her clasp and steadily watched her face. His easy confidence with her body made it all the more arousing like he'd known her for years not days. 

 

“You’re so wet, I hardly had to touch you.”

 

“It’s not the touch that does it, it’s the thought of what you might do.”

 

Her voice was strangled as he added another finger and deliberately crooked them, hitting that spot so deep she’d long forgotten it existed. His eyes never left her face and she didn’t know if she wanted him to keep talking or shut up and put that mouth to better use. It was as though he’d read her mind. 

 

“I want to taste you soon, would you like that, Manon?” Another teasing, feather-light brush over her clit and she gripped his arm, the thought of him eating her out sending a flood of liquid want over his probing fingers.

 

 His dark triumphant chuckle made her want to slap him, “Or do you want to tell me about those things you were thinking of at dinner?” 

 

His hand stilled when she didn't reply and she tried to steal what she wanted, hips circling uselessly. She closed her eyes, giving up with a sigh when he gruffly reprimanded her and tried to ignore how much that aroused her. She made a note to google the praise thing later along with the sudden fetish she had for his hands. 

 

“Why don’t you try a few things and I’ll tell you if you’re on the right track.” She said through her teeth when he still didn't move that damn hand, frustration making her snappish

 

Manon was desperate to regain some control and still hadn't lost the urge to rile him. He left a trail of open-mouthed kisses down her neck, settling over her pulse and she held her breath, the hand between her thighs finally moved, just enough to tease her and drive her wild. 

 

“No, I don’t think so. I think you want me to drag this out,” he said against her neck, voice so low and guttural she felt it vibrate through the delicate skin. 

 

“I think you want to be at my mercy, like I’ve been at yours since the day we met. Do you feel as insane as I did then? As I do every time you're near me?” 

 

He curled his fingers again and pulled, her eyes rolled back, a warbling moan when he did it again and he laughed, the sound so sexy she wanted to die. She wasn’t sure if it was his words or what he was doing that turned her on to dangerous levels, her inner walls clamping around his hand to keep him from escaping.

 

“I’ll take that as a yes.” 


She was very close to madness as he edged her closer, the rising tide of pleasure creeping over her in waves and almost dragging her down before it stopped, the sweet promise of release stolen away by the stilling of his hand. She snarled when he slipped it free of her and threw back the covers, legs shaking as she straddled him. Rising onto her knees she leaned forward to snap her teeth at his lips, the smug smirk on his mouth only heightened her desire. The feel of him beneath her, hot and hard drove all rationality away, mindless except for the need to banish the ache deep in her core left behind by her stolen orgasm.

 

His hands pinched at her waist, grip hard enough she’d be wearing bruises of his fingerprints tomorrow, the idea made her grind down onto the rigid cock trapped between her legs. She kissed him hard, forcing his mouth open and he was still fucking smiling. She’d fallen into his trap she realized, he'd wanted her like this and she couldn't find it in herself to be pissed. She sampled his lips for a while, pretending it was all she was going to do until he dug his nails into her hips, pushing her back down against him and she knew he needed her as much as she did him.

 

Manon settled on her haunches, hovering over him and it was her turn to smirk as she reached behind her to line him up at her entrance before sinking down, down, down. She took every solid inch of him, breath hitching as he filled her, inner walls resisting the invasion and adding a lick of pain to counter the heady arousal. When he was seated to the hilt she fell forward, hands flat on his chest and head hanging as she struggled to adjust to the fullness of him so deep inside her, completely overwhelmed by him. Already wound so tightly by his filthy mouth and clever fingers Manon knew she wouldn’t last long. The hands at her waist twitched and tried to lift her, silently urging her to move and she relished being in control, the muscles in her thighs straining as she began to move over him. Once she found a rhythm that hit that sweet spot she was spiraling as she swirled her hips over him, purposefully tightening herself around him, drawing a savage groan from him. He thrust his hips to meet her every grind down, the noises tearing from throat sounding as though she were possessed.

 

It was too much, he was in too deep, every time she took him fully her inner walls clamped around him, the grunts of pleasure he was making sending her higher and she lost all sense of rhythm as she bounced over him. She unstuck her hands from his chest, bringing them up to play with her breasts and arching her back, his attention focused solely on where they were joined, watching himself disappear inside her cunt. Release was coiling low and tight within her, scorching her as his hips snapped up to meet her movements and she couldn’t keep going, had to beg him to take over.

 

Jake flipped them so he was above her, her legs wrapped around him and his punishing thrusts mixed with their moans and shared breath all served to undo her. He sat back on his haunches, pulling her with him, she clung to his shoulders, burying her face in his neck and bit down, the growl in her ear sending a prickle of fiery tingles straight down to her cunt. He slid his hand around her neck and pulled her head back, the pressure causing her to cry out and shiver, he forced her to look at him. 

 

“You can do better than that, Manon. Tell me what you want.” 

 

“Pull my hair and tell me how good I feel.”

 

She had no idea where that answer came from but knew it was the truth, the animalistic sound he made only urging her on. He did as she asked her head falling back to bare her throat to his insisitent mouth. The sting of her hair tugging enough to make her spasm against him and roll her hips, adding to the storm of sensation inside her, smiling when he moaned her name. 

 

“You feel like you were made just for me, what do you feel?"

 

When she was slow to reply he tightened his hand in her hair further, her eyes snapped to his, the cord in her core winding tighter and tighter, her thighs burning from exertion and he nodded to let her know he felt it too. 

 

“I feel like I'm losing my mind”

 

He loosened his fist slightly to drag her closer, drinking from her mouth as she tensed around him, the pleasure so intense she felt she would break if it didn’t boil over soon. She was mewling and moaning, sounded completely insane and he loved it, egged her on biting at her jaw and telling her how tight she was, how good she felt wrapped around him. 

 

“Jake I need you to touch me, I need to -“

 

“I know.”

 

By gods he did, he let go of her neck and his hand fell to where they were joined, she tensed in anticipation, the cord fraying and she tasted smoke as it burned. He circled her clit once, her hips bucking in reaction, it didn't take more than a few strokes before she snapped, her vision turning white and body going rigid, held up by him as she trembled against him. Her orgasm fluttered around his thick cock and he groaned as she screamed his name, two more snaps of his hips and he fell with her. Burying his face in her neck and rasped her name into her hair. 

 

Manon came back slowly, body uselessly limp and still wrapped around him, she blinked the haze from her eyes and looked at his face, he was breathing as hard as she and staring at her with wide eyes. She knew she looked the same way, thoroughly fucked and utterly ruined. She lifted a shaky hand and stroked it down his face, smiling proudly at him and he chuckled weakly, throat ravaged and breath hard. 

 

“Where the fuck did that come from?” She asked when she could talk. 

 

He lay her down and slid free from her, she bit back a hiss at the ache she felt, not wanting him to think he hurt her any more than she’d wanted him to. He seemed to sense her discomfort though and eyed her worriedly. She shook her head and patted the bed beside her. Thankfully he lay down and she crawled into his arms, her head settling over his heart and a leg swung over his thigh. She listened to him breathe for a minute until he managed to find the words. 

 

“I’ve had a lot of time to wonder what it would be like when I finally met you. I never came close though.”

 

She lifted her head and met his eye.

 

“If I knew that’s what you were thinking about all those times you told me your thoughts kept drifting back to me, I’d have come straight to you.”

 

He laughed, the sound vibrating against her hand and she smiled widely as he ran a hand through her damp tangled hair. It would be horrendous tomorrow. Decided it was worth it. She settled back down as he pulled the covers over them, too drained and tired now to go to the bathroom and clean up. 

 

They lay there so long, his breathing deepening to the point she assumed he’d fallen asleep when his scratchy voice rumbled into her ear. 

 

“You still haven’t told me what you were thinking downstairs.”

 

She smiled against his chest and closed her eyes. 

 

“I didn't have to, you figured it out.”

 

His soft chuckle and the tightening of his arm around her waist was the last thing she was aware of before she fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.

 

 

 

 

 Friday

 

 




They spent an ungodly amount of time when they finally surfaced from sleep slowly learning more about each other’s bodies and Jake took it very seriously, cataloguing her every reaction. Her hair was so tangled she couldn’t get a brush through it, her skin marked with bruises, beard burns and teeth marks. There was a heavy ache between her legs that she only reveled in, the muscles in her thighs sore from so much use. 


Eventually, they had to get up, much to her sorrow when another hunger made itself known and they couldn’t put it off any longer. She’d barely thought about what she cooked them, barely tasted it as her mind kept replaying the night before, a highlight real of her favorite moments that kept the fire in her core at a low simmer. Jake sat shirtless beside her and her gaze kept sticking to his bare chest and the claw marks she'd left on his back, she wasn’t any better dressed. She had stolen his T-shirt and wore nothing else which he seemed to appreciate. His hand rested possessively on her thigh, as though scared she’d slip away from him if he dared let her go. Manon sipped her coffee and ignored the ticking of the clock in her mind, knowing they only had a small amount of time left to themselves. 

Jake cleared his throat and Manon turned to look at him, met his lovely eyes that still had a slight mist of desire clouding the blue and smiled softly. 

“What’s happening today?” He ventured, voice roughened from tiredness and overuse, Manon fought a shiver. 

“Hmm, I have to make sure we are ready for them coming tomorrow and come up with a plan before they arrive.” Manon supplied in between quick bites of her food.

 

”Why do you need a plan?” 

Manon put down her fork and faced him, “Well, do you want them to know you’re here right away, or do you want me to keep that quiet? Do you want to wait a bit before meeting them all?” 

He pursed his lips and tilted his head to the sky as he thought it over, Manon examined his handsome face as the thoughts crossed over it. He was all rumpled from her attentions and grasping fingers, she’d left her mark on his throat and felt ridiculously proud of herself. He caught her staring when he turned back to her and she only winked at him, he shook his head at her.

 

”I think it would be best for you to let them settle in and Lilly should know first. Then I’ll meet the rest of them.” 

He sounded positively horrified at the thought of any of it but Manon's heart leaped anyway, she’d assumed he’d hide away until he absolutely had to reveal he was here. The fact he was willing to show himself at all made her feel incredibly happy. She set a reassuring hand on his arm and squeezed, grinning freely up at him.

 

”Okay, sounds good. I’m guessing you want me to tell Lilly for you?” She asked and he nodded.

 

”Yes, that would be for the best, she trusts you and I would only fuck it up.”

 

He chuckled and ducked his head in a self-deprecatingly way and Manon felt a twist of sympathy for him, he had come on leaps and bounds with her but she knew he’d really struggle to be around so many people. She entwined her fingers through his and rested their hands on her lap, stroking the back of his with her thumb. 

“You’ll be fine. I’ll be with you, if it gets too much I’ll make up some excuse for you to escape,” she paused, smiling impishly, “or we could have a safe word!”

 

Jake gave her an indulgent look


“And what would that be?”

 

Manon thought it over, “It has to be something ridiculous, something that wouldn’t come up in casual conversation.”

 

He eyed her warily, his face telling her he wasn’t going to offer any suggestions. 

“I’ll think of something, if not just say my name the way you do when you’re inside me and I’ll drag you out faster than anyone can see.” 

Her mouth was going to get her in trouble one day but she found it difficult to care when it came to him, loved seeing his reactions and he never let her down, she cackled as he rolled his eyes in feigned exasperation. He really should be used to her by now but still she hoped he never would be.

“I dread to think what you'll come up with.” He sounded a bit nervous and Manon could only smile deviously in return.

 

Manon was tidying the kitchen after a late dinner, the day had flew by despite her best efforts to make time stand still. They'd spent a couple hours watching trashy reality TV and debating which Kardashian was the funniest, she thought Khloe and he said Kourtney. It felt completely bizarre to be watching the Kardashians with him but it was that or true crime shows, she wanted a break from those since they were living in one and he was surprisingly entertained by them so she considered it a win. It was late in the evening now and Jake had gone upstairs after eating to take a shower and get himself set up in the attic, she was planning on a long hot bath and trying to convince herself to check her work emails. She hadn't looked at them in almost a month, having been enjoying some time off when she was pulled into all this and once it became clear she was needed here, hadn't bothered to update her status. The thought of how many would be waiting for her made her want to crawl under a rock and hide until everything was back to normal and so she decided to put if off for a while longer.

 

When she was putting things away, she discovered that one of the small cupboards was filled entirely with candles and matches, perplexed she ran through everything she remembered Andrew saying to her but came up blank. It had to be in the file he gave her, she hadn't requested them and wasn't one to even buy them. She stood and glanced around the room, checking to see where Jake had left it last night and had a blurry memory of seeing it in the living area so headed there.

 

She found it on the couch near the window and snatched it up, rifling through it and skimming through the jargon until she got to a handwritten note in Andrew's looping scrawl. Manon cursed under her breath, fucking power-cuts? There was an estimate for it to be fixed and it wasn't small, the whole place would have to be rewired and Manon heaved a sigh, it would have to wait. They had no time, they’d simply have to deal with it and hope they wouldn't be too prevalent. She threw the file back down with a soft snarl and headed upstairs, cursing herself for not checking the file yesterday but the thought of steaming water and clean, shiny hair was too strong to ignore.

 

In their bedroom, Jake was already working, hair damp and messy and terribly appealing. She couldn't make sense of what was on his screen, it looked nothing like what she'd observed in the past but he was completely absorbed in it. He didn't even turn as she stormed through the room and gathered what she needed for her bath, grabbing her phone. In the bathroom she set everything down on the vanity, chuckling slightly at the state of her reflection, he'd really done a number on her and it lifted some of the annoyance off her thoughts. She closed the door but didn't lock it and turned on the hot tap to fill the bath, pouring a generous amount of scented bath soap. Soon the room was filled with steam, her shirt sticking to her skin and she stripped off, tossing at the wall.

 

Manon checked her messages, finding none and scrolled through her music until she found the album she wanted, she simply couldn't abide by silence. She turned it down so it was background noise and climbed into the bath, hissing at the heat as she lowered herself until she was up to her neck in bubbles. Leaning back, her head resting on the lip of the bath and closed her eyes, soaking the lingering aches away. Focusing on the music to smother the chaos in her mind, it never quietened and she had to work to think past it most of the time. The pleasurable memories of last night and this morning battling against her dread for tomorrow, it wasn't that she didn't want to meet them, it was purely her selfishness at wanting to keep Jake to herself.

 

Once everyone arrived and found out, it left them open to poisonous whispers and unwanted opinions. When people started talking things tended to go south and Manon was terrified of how Jake would react, she knew they were living on borrowed time. So much was stacked against them, things she could and couldn't control and she didn’t want to deal with it from her friends too. Manon didn't mind a fight, quite enjoyed them actually but wanted more time to just be with him and not worry about everyone else, simply wanted to revel in this thing growing rapidly between them. Everything had changed in such a short span of time, she didn’t regret a single second of it and never would, it was so simple when it was just the two of them. How that would change when they could no longer hide she didn’t know and that was the problem, she hated not knowing.

 

Then there was the bastard stalking Duskwood, chasing them out of town and making their lives dangerous. He had been too quiet since she'd arrived here, it set her on edge and it didn't make sense. He had no problem threatening and hurting her friends, it drove her mad that she couldn't figure out why he went silent so suddenly. She almost wished he'd call her just to stop the constant worry that he was going to. He'd marked Jessy even though she had already been attacked, he wasn't following her assessment of him and it pissed her off. 

 

Her mood now well and truly spoiled, Manon sunk beneath bubbles until all of her was underwater in an attempt to block it all out. Relishing the burn of the water against her sensitive skin and tossed her head to soak her hair. Water always calmed her, deafened her to the world around her and doused her fiery mind so that all she could think about was the need to draw breath. Her lungs had just began to protest  when she felt a hand on her shoulder struggling to grab hold and she bolted upright so fast water sloshed over the side of the bath. She swiped her sopping hair out of her eyes and her startled gaze landed on a worried Jake. Pressing a hand to her chest and gasping in air, she reprimanded him.

 

"Don't do that! Fuck, I almost died of fright."

 

Jake raised a testy brow, "That wouldn't have anything to do with the fact you were under there for a good minute now would it?"

 

His tone was threaded with alarm, she realized then what it must've looked like to him when he walked in like she'd fallen asleep and slipped under.

 

"Sorry, I was trying to drown out the shit in my head and my hair needs washed, I didn't hear you come in." She tried to keep the defensiveness she was feeling out of her voice but wasn't sure she succeeded when he knelt beside the bath to meet her eye.

 

"What has you so worked up you had to give me a heart attack? I thought you'd passed out and drowned." He said lightly, suppressing whatever panic he'd felt to tease her and she appreciated it.

 

Manon sighed and shrugged, unsure how to explain her worries without sounding completely insane and self serving. Jake stood and turned, heading for the door and she frowned, confusion stilling her thoughts when he turned back before leaving.

 

"I'm going to get a chair, I won't be a minute, then you're going to tell me what has you looking like someone kicked your puppy."

 

She snorted, a small smile taking over her face and she felt the weight lift a little. She didn't give him enough credit, he saw more than he let on and seemed to know some of her tells already, it was strangely exhilarating. True to his word he was back before a minute had passed and set the chair down behind her, he took his seat, gesturing for her to face forward. Manon did so and heard him opening a bottle, bewildered until gentle hands landed on her wet hair and she smelled the familiar scent of her shampoo. She was frozen in shock for a moment having no idea why he was doing it, her body relaxed slightly as he worked his fingers through the mass of hair, massaging her scalp and tilting her head back to make sure he didn't get it in her eyes. Butterflies swarmed low in her stomach at the care he showed her but still, she felt as though she stood on shaky uneven ground. She didn't want to ruin the peaceful quiet that had fallen both in the room and over her mind, only when he nudged her shoulders to get her to dunk her head did she find her voice.

 

"What are you doing?" she asked stupidly once she'd rinsed as much out as she could.

 

"Well, I can't be certain but I think I'm washing your hair." There was a smirk on his mouth, she could hear it and she frowned in annoyance.

 

"Yes, I got that. But why are you doing it?" Manon hated how uncertain she sounded, an unreasonable rush of irritation fed into it, resenting that she couldn't find an ulterior motive behind his actions and wondered why she was looking for one.

 

Jake sighed and gently pulled her head back, running conditioner through her hair now. "Because you looked like you needed someone to look after you for a change, or am I wrong?"

 

Her irrational annoyance swiftly departed at his obvious sincerity, her shoulders slumped and she allowed herself to enjoy it instead of questioning it.

 

"No, you're not wrong." She whispered when she finished rinsing her hair and closed her eyes when his hands settled on her shoulders, kneading the tense muscle there. Her body was torn between her overactive desire and innocent enjoyment of his clever fingers loosening the many knots she'd accrued lately. Something delicate was glowing in her chest, that devastating emotion she had recognized last night and she couldn't deny it, here in this room she understood why.

 

Manon felt safe with him, he felt like coming home after years on the road, drifting and avoiding her old home, never putting down roots or permitting anything to grow. She killed everything before it could sink deep enough that cutting it out would be painful. Here she wanted to stop running and let things grow out of control until she was covered in it, wanted to taste the bitter and the sweet. It didn't have to be one or the other and life never allowed too much of the good without throwing a heavy dose of the bad, she could only trust it would be worth it. For once she wanted to let herself feel all of it and more, she simply wanted. So she would. 

 

"Feeling better?" Jake asked, her silent decision releasing tightness in her muscles which she knew he felt under his warm hands.

 

"Yeah, thank you." She murmured, a true smile lighting her face.

 

"Do you want to tell me about it?" He asked but didn't pry, leaving it up to her.

 

"You'll think I'm horribly selfish but I'm dreading tomorrow." She admitted, his hands stilled, resting on her shoulders.

 

"Why would that make you selfish?" 

 

"Because I don't want them to ruin this, I want to keep you all to myself and I know things will change when everybody finds out." Her voice was so fragile, barely above a whisper and his fingers began stroking along her collarbones in reaction, she almost jumped when he kissed the side of her face.

 

"Hmm, does change have to be bad though? I won't lie, I'm not looking forward to it but knowing you're here too helps and when it does get hard we can talk it out.” His voice lowered, “I don't want to share you either, Manon but I have to. For now."

 

There was no artifice or hesitation in his voice and Manon relaxed further, leaning her head back to see his face. Saw only understanding there, eyes open and trusting, the shadow of doubt she'd glimpsed before they'd come here was completely gone now. A familiar buzz was spreading through her veins as she looked at him, a prickle of awareness as his hands slipped lower and drew lazy patterns over the swell of her chest, her breath hitched at the heat in his eyes but she managed to reply.

 

"You're quite eloquent when you want to be," she playfully narrowed her eyes making him smirk, "You're a dangerous man, too charming by far, you'll get me in trouble."

 

Jake laughed and leaned down to nip her neck, drawing a gasp when his hands cupped her breasts, weighing and lightly kneading them before taking her mouth in a languid kiss and she slid a wet hand into his hair to pull him closer, deepening it. The angle was awkward but he didn't seem to care, lips soft and warm against hers parted enough for her tongue to slip inside and taste his sweet breath. He hummed low in his throat and pressed in harder, making her smile and turn her body in a ripple of splashing water, a chuckle from him as his hands wrapped around her slippery waist. The rough drag of his fingers against her overheated skin sent a lance of fiery lust straight to her cunt, she rubbed her thighs together to counter the ache building between them and felt herself growing wet, had to get them out of this damn bathroom.

 

Manon broke away from his sinful mouth and stood up, water cascading down her body and didn't hide her smirk as Jake took her in, eyes roaming over her curves growing darker the lower he got and she felt it like a brand on her skin. He stood slowly, gaze never leaving her body, and held out a steady hand which she took to step out of the bath, once she was out he scooped her up, her arms flying around his neck as she yelped in surprise which made him chuckle. He carried her through to the bedroom and spread her out on the bed, the sheets sticking to her damp skin but she didn't care, raised her knees so her toes curled into the sheets and her hips lifted slightly, exposing her to him. Her heart rate spiked now she knew what he was going to do, so excited her legs started trembling, every pore on her skin seeming to prickle as he stripped off and crawled between her legs, rough hands held her thighs wide. She sat up on her elbows, not wanting to miss anything and he gave her a wicked smile, the heat burning low in her abdomen now a raging wildfire. Wetness dripped from her and all he'd done was look at her, anticipation making her light head as he lowered his head to breathe in the scent of her arousal.

 

Licking at her dry lips Manon held her breath as he pressed a kiss to the inside of her thighs, so close to where she was desperate for him and she whimpered, fisting her hands in the sheets as her stomach tensed. He was hovering above her, could feel his hot breath ghosting over her tender flesh, the need for friction now an exquisite agony. She was close to begging when his hands slid down her thighs and his thumbs parted her folds, tongue flicking along her slit lightly to sample her arousal before pushing inside. Her hands flew to his dark head, falling back and she cried out, the scratch of his beard against her folds adding another layer of sensation that only amplified the pleasure twisting in her core. Her thighs clamped around his head, he dragged the flat of his tongue over her clit mercilessly and all she could do was thrash her head violently against the bed while he devoured her. He groaned deeply, the vibration of it making her hips stutter as she sought more, the word a chant in her head and falling from her mouth. She felt his teeth graze delicately over her clit and the sounds she made in return were crazed, he swallowed, as though savoring the taste and Manon was close to madness, pleasure snaring her so tightly her body twitched, out of her control. The coiling tension in her abdomen was ready to snap, his fingers digging into her ass to keep her close and focused his relentless assault on her clit. He met her eye and she slammed her eyes shut. She came so hard she was sobbing his name, body convulsing as she slumped back on the bed.

 

Once she'd recovered he sat up, licking his lips and wiping his hand over his chin slick with her essence, the sight so erotic she quivered while he slid up her body. Stopping to press wet open-mouthed kisses between her breasts and on her throat, then he was inside her mouth and she tasted the salt of herself on his tongue. He hitched her leg over his hip and filled her in one brutal movement, hands scrabbling at his shoulders at the sudden invasion and he smiled against her open mouth, her cry choked off in her throat. The rough drag of his cock as he stretched her and fucked her hard, her hips pushing against each thrust, bringing him deeper until she was mewling into his neck. Her hands turned to claws and she raked them down his back drawing a hiss from him. His hips snapped erratically and she wrapped her other leg around his waist, heels digging into his ass to urge him along. She wanted to draw it out, to hold her release off until she was begging him to end it but he felt too good and she was too soon after her last orgasm to hold it back, her walls fluttered around him making him rasp her name. Each thrust of his thick cock in her cunt drove her higher and higher, wetness dripping from her making it easy for him to use her hard. Electricity thrummed over her skin, stomach tightening as she soared to the precipice and hovered there, her hand snaking between them to touch herself, a few quick swipes and her body tensed. Jake groaned deep as she flew off the edge and shattered, her mind going wonderfully black, barely hearing him telling her how beautiful she looked, how incredible she felt. He fucked her through it, chasing his own end and she could only hold on, her inner walls still contracting as he pounded into her, each stroke more frantic than the last. The sound of flesh on flesh mixing with their shared moans so lewd in the quiet of the room and she dug her nails into his shoulders, leaning up to kiss him and writhed against him. She felt his hips stutter a moment before he broke away from her mouth, her name all he said before he slammed into her and spilled himself inside of her, biting down on her neck to muffle the sounds he made. His body relaxed and he collapsed on top of her, only for a moment to her dismay then he pulled out of her and flopped onto his back, pulling her with him to lay across his chest.

 

Manon listened as his heartbeat calmed to a normal rhythm, their sweat soaked skin sticking and he ran a lazy hand down her spine, her mind was blissfully empty for a change. She felt boneless and content, the feeling was almost foreign. She smiled and raised her head when Jake kissed the top of it, a flash of his eye and the curve of his cheek all she could make out in the dark room but she sensed he was smiling too. The hand at her back began circling her scars and she felt nothing but comfort from it.

 

 "What is your positive and negative from today, Manon?" he asked softly and she grinned, remembering their tradition online.

 

"Having my wicked way with you," she teased, voice nothing more than a rasp, "The negative is, it's our last night just us two."

 

"Hmm, it is but we can still be alone, you'll just have to be quieter." 

 

Manon snorted and settled down against his chest, choosing to ignore his teasing.

 

"What's yours?" She prodded, wanting to hear his gravelly voice.

 

"You singing at the top of your lungs earlier when you thought I wasn't listening, I heard you when I came out of the shower." Manon groaned and stifled her giggle, remembering just how hard she went when Halsey's Honey came on while she cleaned the kitchen. 

 

"You weren't bad, I just didn't expect it." He paused when she weakly slapped his shoulder to get him to shut up, "My negative is the same as yours, if I could stop time I'd do it but I'm not that good."

 

Manon appreciated him keeping things light, it helped keep her mind free of her earlier worries. Though she knew things had to change so they could grow, it was always terrifying when it actually did but this time she wouldn't be fighting alone. How hard they'd have to fight would be up to whoever controlled this batshit simulation they called life. She refused to worry about it tonight, not as he pulled the covers over them and wrapped his arms around her, her eyes falling shut with a happy sigh. Jake whispered goodnight and quickly fell into a very male sleep.

 

Manon followed him not long after, her dreams filled with the sound of ravens while she tried to find the source of it, Jake calling her name from far away and her father's voice telling her to run. Then it all dissolved and she dreamed no more.

Notes:

Thank you for the wonderful reception to the last chapter! I was so nervous about it but it seemed to go down well. I hope this one lives up to that. The next chapter will get us back in to the plot and introduce some new tension and difficulties for them to navigate. It’s always calm before the storm.

Chapter 7: Don’t you see what you’re finding? This is heaven in hiding

Summary:

Jake makes breakfast and Manon teases him. The gang finally arrives, personalities clash and Manon spends some time with people other than Jake, not for long though ;)

Notes:

This took forever, it's long. I was super excited to post it though so I haven't edited it as much as usual, I'll fix any mistakes tomorrow! The plot will start moving forward from now, they are getting to know each other here. I hope you enjoy it. If you do please leave a comment, I absolutely adore them and they make me so happy to keep writing, they truly do make a difference.

Also posted on WattPad under the username @DanyStormborn333

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

strange love

 

“Can you hear my heartbeat fucking kickin'?

Your eyes light up 'cause you best believe

That I got something up my sleeve

I walk my talk no time for wishful thinking



I push up on my toes

You call me “sweet thing”

I'm breathing down your neck

Your body's screaming



You thought that you were the boss tonight

But I can put up one good fight

I flip the script like I can take a beating



You surrender to the touch, you'll know

I can put on show”

 

Heaven in Hiding - Halsey

******

 

 

 

Manon surfaced from sleep to the sound of rain battering off the windows, the morning so bleak and grey the room was cloaked in shadows. Sighing, she rolled over, hand snaking through the sheets to find Jake and discovering he'd already gotten up, the bed cold on his side. She stretched her legs, a pleasant burn spreading through her muscles that only made her smile. She sat up and rubbed her eyes before looking for her phone, snatching it off the night-stand. A litany of texts appeared and she groaned when she noticed the time, 10 am and every message said they'd arrive by 1 pm. She had three hours, nervous energy fueled her body as she dragged herself out of bed.

 

Manon grabbed her clothes and headed into the bathroom, jumping in the shower and hurriedly cleaning herself, doing her best to keep her hair out of the spray of water. Once she had toweled off and gotten dressed, she carefully applied her makeup. Choosing her favourite red liquid lipstick to boost her confidence and finished off with a slash of black liner. Dressed head to toe in black, her white hair braided in a single cable down her back. She’d gotten over the melancholy that had crept over her every thought the past 24 hours and now just wanted them to get here. A trickle of excitement finally hit her when it sank in that they were actually coming.

 

She sprayed on perfume before leaving the bathroom, not bothering to pick up after herself and halted when she caught sight of Jake propped up on the bed wearing nothing but a pair of loose grey tracksuit bottoms. He was reading something on his phone, looking more beautiful than he had any right to and only glanced up when she managed to get her legs to carry her towards the bed. He looked her up and down, eyes trailing over her tight jeans and sticking to her painted mouth, he couldn't seem to look away from it. Manon smirked and sat down beside him, noticing the mug of coffee he'd placed on her nightstand.

 

“Well aren't you considerate?” She murmured before taking a sip, he watched her every move, eyes dropping to her throat as she swallowed.

 

“How does it compare to the motels?” He said when he finally met her gaze, the blue piercing in the grey light of the morning.

 

Manon turned to him, “Much better, thank you. Why didn't you wake me?”

 

He locked his phone and set it down before replying, giving her his full attention.

 

“I did try, you sleep like the dead.” He said seriously and Manon snorted.

 

“Shame, I had this wonderful idea I wanted to try out but I guess you'll never know.”

 

That ever present heat between them seemed to burn hotter as she watched him, her laughter dying in her throat when tension so thick she could almost reach out and touch it filled the air. Jake's eyes narrowed a second before he wrapped a hand around her wrist, dragging it to his mouth and breathing her in, pressing a kiss against her pounding pulse before he released her. Manon released a breath and tried to ignore his smug smirk.

 

“You can always show me later, Manon.” He turned away to drink his own coffee, the promise in his low voice sending a thrill through her and wishing it was later, now.

 

“Perhaps.” She agreed, forcing her mind away from the gutter and back onto what was happening that day.

 

“What are you planning to do while I play hostess?” She asked quietly.

 

“I'll keep working, there are a few trails I want to follow and see if they bear fruit.”

 

“Can I ask what those are or do you want to wait until you know for sure?”

 

“I'll wait, they could be nothing but it doesn't hurt to try.” She smiled, nodding.

 

“Okay, sure you don't want to help? You could keep the attention off me.”  She was joking but a part of her wanted to witness the scene if he was there to greet them, the drama would feed her for weeks.

 

He cut his eyes to her, amusement clear in the set of his mouth “I'm sure. You'll enjoy it, you don't seem to mind being the center of attention around me.”

 

Manon gave him a wicked grin and leaned closer, his gaze trained on her red lips.

 

“Oh, but I can't do to them what I do with you, Jake.” She practically purred and Jake groaned, eyes darkening and pinning her in place.

 

“No you definitely can't.” He agreed, voice guttural, “Do you delight in tormenting me, Manon?”

 

A spark caught, quick and hot in her core, the heat of it warming her through.

 

“I do, you seem to like the end results though.” She shrugged, feigning nonchalance and he edged closer, their faces so close they shared breath.

 

He drew in a long breath, nudging her nose with his and his hand gripped her chin tight. Manon held her breath, his eyes kept flicking to her mouth and she felt as though she'd crawl out of her skin if he didn't kiss her.

 

“I don't want to mess it up, this colour on you is striking.” He whispered and she had the urge to laugh but reigned it in, anticipation fizzing through her veins. The compliment so unusual she made a note to wear lipstick more often.

 

“It'll be fine.” She whispered and closed the distance between them.

 

It wasn’t their usual frantic, desperate kiss. He kissed her slowly and sensually, as if he had all the time in the world to map her mouth. Pliant lips gentle against hers, making them tingle in reaction and when he licked at the seam of her mouth she let him in, a lazy slide against her tongue. The hand at her chin tilted her head, giving him better access and she wound her own through his hair, scratching lightly at his scalp. The hum of pleasure he made making her smile, he shifted and she felt his other arm wrap around her waist, fingers splaying against the small of her back. The warmth of them soaking through her thin shirt and sending goosebumps across her skin. 

 

His lips slowly became more insistent, pressing harder against hers and his tongue flicked at the roof of her mouth, drawing a low moan that she felt him smile at. She tugged at his hair when his hand slipped from her chin and slid down her neck, the pads of his fingers tapped lightly over her rapid pulse. She untangled her fingers and wrapped her hand around the back of his neck, to feel his own blood pounding as hard as hers. Her other hand inched up his thigh, corded muscle jumping under her palm whenever she stroked the length of it. The hand at her back slipped down, fingers digging into the curve of her ass and she arched into it, encouraging him. 

 

He pulled back, nipping at her bottom lip and groaning in regret. 

 

“We don’t have time do we?” 

 

“Not really but we could be selfish and do it anyway.” She said, only half joking. 

 

Jake stared at her through half lidded eyes, battling internally and she sighed, pulling him back to her for one last taste before they had to get up. He really did suit her, it was unfair how easily he could play her. The hard cock she teasingly ran a hand over before breaking away again telling her she did the same to him. 

 

“You’re evil.” He moaned and she laughed.

 

“You know that song, Darling I’m a nightmare dressed like a daydream? That was about me.” She crooned and he chuckled, nodding in agreement. 

 

“Right, we have to go or I’ll never leave you leave this bed.” 

 

That sounded mighty appealing to her and she was about to say so when he stood and walked to the door, beckoning her to follow. Manon sighed, the damp heat of her inconvenient lust between her thighs mocking her as she followed him downstairs. 

 

In the kitchen, Jake told her to take a seat while he made them breakfast. She raised a brow and opened her big mouth. 

 

“Can you actually cook? I can’t picture it.” 

 

Jake threw his head back and laughed, she propped her hand up on her chin, leaning on the counter to watch him. When he laughed, all the hard lines of his face softened, those dimples flashed and she couldn’t stop staring. He looked free, she realised and it was her doing. The silent man who’d worn secrecy and loneliness like armour, completely transformed around her. 

 

“I can but nothing fancy. Do you want pancakes or eggs?” He asked and she suddenly wanted to lick syrup off of his bare chest. 

 

“Pancakes, please.” Knowing she had syrup in the cupboard and trying to figure out how she could make him agree to lay down on the island so she could pour it over him. 

 

“Do you want bacon too?” He asked over his shoulder. 

 

“Is the pope a catholic?” She deadpanned and he snorted. 

 

He got busy mixing the ingredients and in an effort to keep her mind away from how good he looked she scrolled through her playlists until she found her favourite and let it play as he cooked. She was singing along quietly while emailing her lawyer, she’d finally replied to her query about Phils bail when Jake interrupted her. 

 

“What is it with you and music? I’ve noticed you can’t do anything without it.” Her eyes flew to him, expecting ridicule but finding nothing but genuine longing to know her better. 

 

“Uhm, it’s just …” she looked around, eyes not landing on anything as she tried to find the words and failed. 

 

“I didn’t mean to pry.” He said softly and she met his genuine gaze, how to explain something she never had before. 

 

“You aren’t. It’s simply that no one has ever asked that before. Usually I’m told to shut up or asked to turn it off and not in a kind way.” She shrugged, tried to laugh it off but the enraged look in his eyes at whoever had told her that stopped her. 

 

“Those people are assholes.” 

 

A startled laugh escaped her at the vehemence in his tone.

 

“Or they don’t like my taste in music.” 

 

He shook his head fiercely. “No. Anyone who puts you down for what you love doesn’t deserve to know you, Manon.” 

 

Manon froze, not expecting so much raw honesty from him over such a simple question. She realised as she watched him simmer that no one had ever really cared about her answer when they’d asked. Sure Steve did but he hated her constant singing of the same songs and her excited tangents about new albums by her favourite artists. Jake actually wanted to know, not to humiliate or hurt her, just to know her better and she wanted to let him. 

 

“You’re right. I guess music has always been there for me. No matter what was happening in my life, good or bad and everything in between. Music was there and I need it to remind me of all those times. I need it to quieten the constant worrying in my head. I don’t even notice I do it anymore.”

 

Jake smiled at her, a flash of that life altering love she felt for him crossed his eyes, it was gone too fast but she knew what she’d seen. She felt oddly breathless as he focused on pouring the batter into the skillet before facing her again. 

 

“What is your favourite song?”

 

She groaned and he raised a questioning brow. 

 

“You can’t ask me that! I have way too many.” 

 

He chuckled, “No, everyone has the one song they’d chose over all others. What is yours?”

 

She kicked her feet, thinking hard but decided to challenge him. 

 

“Tell me yours and I’ll tell you mine?” 

 

“Fine.” He sighed, “ Indian Summer by Stereophonics.”

 

Manon smiled brightly, “Oh that’s a good one!” She sang her favourite line to his shock, “Cigarettes over coffee, her halo slipped to a noose.”

 

“I didn’t think you’d know it.” He sounded pleased though and she only lifted a shoulder in reply. 

 

“Your turn.” He said, turning back to flip the pancakes, giving her privacy she realised. Why did she feel nervous? Why were her palms sweating? He only chuckled and told her to get on with it, as though desperate to know. 

 

“Red Light Spells Danger by Billy Ocean.” Jake laughed and shook his head. 

 

“What’s so funny?” She demanded, smiling. 

 

“It’s just not what I expected you to say, I thought you’d pick Taylor Swift. Why that song?” He leaned his elbows on the counter to look her in the face.

 

”My dad played it all the time when I was growing up, it was kind of our song. No matter how shit a day you have, put that song on and you will be smiling in no time. It’s impossible to feel bad when it’s playing.” She said, tone wistful. 

Jake smiled softly, “I see what you mean, it’s the memories more than the song.”

 

She nodded and he looked like he wanted to ask her more but the pancakes were done. He plated them before pulling the tray of bacon out of the oven and splitting it between both plates. Giving her the prettiest looking pancakes which made her melt inside. 

 

“Where is the syrup?” He asked and Manon had to stop herself from laughing, her earlier thoughts now back with a vengeance, he caught the amusement in her eyes and looked puzzled but she ignored it. 

 

“Behind you, cupboard on the left, middle shelf.”

 

He was shaking his head as he grabbed it but didn’t make her elaborate. 

 

Manon was pleasantly surprised, the pancakes were perfect. Jake doused his in an ungodly amount of syrup and she doubted he could taste anything else. She was lost in thoughts of later that day when he spoke again.

 

“Are you nervous to meet your friends?”


“Not really, I just want to get it over with so we can focus on what really matters.”

 

It was the truth, she simply wanted to fast forward through the the awkward parts and get to the good bits, she'd much rather spend the day tangled up with him. She glanced at him from the corner of her eye, catching him staring at her mouth as she licked syrup off her fingers. He realised he’d been caught and cleared his throat, shifting in his seat as he looked away. She couldn’t stop the smile that took over at the blush creeping up his neck, it amused her greatly. He quickly recovered and left her blinking stupidly at his question.

 

”What are you going to tell them about us?” 

Oh no, he was not putting it on her. Manon gave an irreverent shrug.

 

”I don’t know, Jake. What can I tell them? What are we?”  She leaned into his personal space, refusing to let him hide from her. To her surprise he met her fire with some of his own, his heavy hand gripping her thigh so suddenly she jumped. 


“We’re together, that’s all they have to know.”

 

He said it so succinctly, like it was simply a fact he could prove through his work and she found nothing to refute it. She couldn’t look away from the intensity of his eyes, the spicy smokey scent of him enveloped her senses and she felt like he was everywhere.
  

“Hmm, as simple as that is it?” She picked at her nails, pressing her lips together to keep from giggling like a giddy schoolgirl and waited. 

“To me it is, it isn’t to you?” She met his eye and gave him a sly grin.

 

”I suppose it’ll do, for now.” She winked and slid from her stool, leaving him to gape after her and she might’ve swayed her hips more than usual, just to keep his eyes on her. Ignoring the way her heart tried to beat out of her chest at the confirmation to the question she’d had swimming in her mind for the last two days. Truth was, she didn’t have to tell them a damn thing about her relationship, it was hers and it was his, that’s all that mattered to her. She left him in the kitchen and headed upstairs to get her shit together, she had less than an hour now. 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Jake was shut away upstairs working, where he’d stay until he was ready to face them. First she had to tell Lilly and explain why Jake wasn’t ready to talk to her, Jake scared he’d mess things up. She didn’t truly mind being the one to do it, knowing him he’d simply sit across from Lilly and text her instead of speaking, the mental image highly amusing but not the way to go. 

 

 

Jessy kept sending her voice notes, updating her on their progress in between her bursts of excited yelling and Manon couldn’t help but laugh every time she listened to one. Dan had been messaging her constantly, complaining he wasn’t able to come, he wanted to be here for Jessy but Manon was not getting involved in that one. Cleo and Thomas had only let her know they were leaving but Lilly had called her earlier, explaining she’d found something Hannah’s letterbox that she really needed to show her. Richy hadn’t been in touch though and no one else mentioned him. 

 

She had taken up food and drink for Jake, having no idea how long he’d be stuck up there, the soft smile he’d given her tested her resolve but she walked away. She was staring out the kitchen window, the view eclipsed by the trees when she heard car doors slamming outside. Manon headed to the front door, steeling her spine and pasting a pleasant smile on her face, forcing her mind to shut up for now. She unlocked it and leaned against it to hold it open, watching as they all lugged cases out of their cars. 

 

Jessy noticed her first, whirling around at the sound of the door opening and dropping her bags to the floor, running full pelt at Manon. She braced herself for impact and Jessy leapt up the stairs to throw her arms around her, Manon froze and barely managed to wrap an awkward arm around her back before Jessy pulled back, a huge smile splitting her face. 

 

“You are nothing like how I imagined you’d be!” 

 

Manon chuckled, “I get that a lot.”

 

Jessy beamed at her, only a little bit taller than her thankfully and Manon was grateful she wasn’t the only short ass in the group. Cleo was statuesque, all lean lines and long dark hair. Thomas was slightly shorter than Jake and similarly dark haired, though she didn’t want to throttle Jake when she looked at him. Lilly stood behind them all, a shy grin aimed at Manon and Manon smiled back. 

 

“Let’s get you all settled in, we can chat later!”  Manon clapped her hands together and headed for the stairs, beckoning them over her shoulder as she climbed up to their floor. 

 

“Okay, you girls will have to share I’m afraid! But don’t worry it’s a big room.” She opened the door to the last room, the one with three double beds and showed them inside. All three of them looking around, impressed and shocked. 

 

“I totally thought this would be the creepiest, tiniest little hut you could ever imagine!” Jessy exclaimed and Manon snorted, Cleo nodded but Lilly didn’t join in. 

 

“Sorry to disappoint.” Manon said seriously, fighting a smile when Jessy laughed. 

 

“Oh it’ll do, I suppose.” She replied. 

 

“Where is Richy?” Manon asked them, Jessy winced and Manon focused all her attention on her. 

 

“He told Thomas to tell you that he’ll be coming later, in a few days. He wants to make sure his parents are safe before he leaves them.” She said tentatively and Manon felt her blood begin to heat, she’d known he didn’t live alone but he knew how important it was that they stuck together. She sighed heavily and shook the tension out of her arms. 

 

“Okay, I’ll call him later to see how he’s doing.” She said flatly and tamped down her annoyance, focusing instead on the ones that were here. 

 

“This is crazy, how did you manage to pay for all this?” Cleo asked, eyes never wavering from Manons face and Manon felt her shoulders stiffen in reaction. 

 

“Don’t worry about it, it’s done.” Manon dismissed her and moved to leave them to unpack, Lilly pulled her aside before she could leave. 

 

“I saw you the other day, at the motel. Why didn’t you say anything?” She whispered and Manon groaned inwardly. 

 

“I wasn’t ready yet, I’m sorry about that though.” She apologised and Lilly thankfully accepted it, reminding her she had something to show her and Manon nodded. 

 

Back in the hall she led a silent Thomas to his room, since it was just him he’d have it to himself until Richy came. She was keeping a room aside just in case anyone else turned up or needed it. Thomas thanked her quietly and turned his back to her, she raised a brow but ultimately didn’t say anything. That fight would come later. 



Manon couldn’t shake the feeling that something was wrong, Richy hadn’t let her know he wouldn’t be coming and had asked Thomas to tell her instead. He was the one that tried to get them a place to stay, why wasn’t he here? She knew he had a family but something told her that wasn’t the full reason. Knowing her brain wouldn’t let her rest she came to a decision. She turned and went back downstairs to the kitchen counter, picked up her phone and dialled Richy’s number. It rang and rang and rang. His voicemail picking up, Richy’s ever cheery voice telling her he was busy and to leave a message, so she did. Trying to keep the irritation out of her voice she told him to call her asap and hung up, it wasn’t enough though so she headed out of the kitchen. 


Manon bolted up the two flights of stairs to her room, closing the door silently and locking it behind her before walking over to Jake. He looked over his shoulder as she approached, the corners of his lips tilting up and she felt herself relax slightly at the quiet joy in his eyes when he spotted her. 

 

“They’re here then.” He said simply and she nodded, sitting on her desk as he turned to face her. 

 

“How do you feel about it?” He asked and she shrugged. 

 

“I’m not sure yet, I still want to strangle Thomas but I’m sure I’ll get over that.” She paused, thinking, “or maybe I’ll upgrade to wanting to stab him. It could go either way.” 

 

Jake chuckled, scratching at his jaw and she tilted her head, trying to sound casual.

 

“Can I ask you a favour?” 

 

“Anything, Manon.” He said immediately.

 

She smiled, brows rising, “Oh in that case I need more time to think about what I want! I have a list you see.”

 

He shook his head, amusement flashing in those lovely eyes “I’m sure you do, what is it?” 

 

Manon clasped her hands in her lap and explained what she wanted. 

 

“Somethings bothering me about Richy. I know you’re tracking him but is there a way we can listen in or even watch through his phone? He isn’t here and didn’t answer when I called him.”

 

Jake chewed on his lip as he thought it over, drawing her eye to his mouth until he spoke. 

 

“I could, it would take some time though. Are you sure it’s necessary?” 

 

Manon turned her head to stare at the wall, uncertainty battling with her intuition and nosiness.  

 

“I don’t know but I need to know we’ve done everything just in case. There’s something off, I just haven’t figured it out yet.”

 

Jake leaned back in his chair, tapping his fingers on the armrests and she tried not to stare at them but she was only human, one with a new obsession with his hands. It was highly inconvenient and she was certain he did it on purpose. 

 

“Okay. I’ll try, I can’t really promise anything though due to the distance but I should be able to get something. I’ll text you when I know more.” 

 

Manon gave him a real smile and stood, heading for her wardrobe. 

 

“Thank you, Darling! I’m going to suggest we get drunk because I can’t face this day sober.”

 

Jake chuckled, the sound never failed to rouse her and even from across the room she felt his eyes on her as she bent over to get her favourite jacket off the floor. There was a fire pit outside and Manon really wanted to burn things while toasting the beginning of the end of their masked horror. 

 

“Should I be concerned that you just pocketed a box of matches and a can of lighter fluid?” Jake quipped and she turned to wink at him. 

 

“Just going to sacrifice a few virgins to ensure our success. You’re safe though, don’t worry, I checked.” She threw over her shoulder as she aimed for the door, smiling when he choked on a laugh, having no reply as she walked out. 

 

 

*******

 

 

Manon was waiting for them all to come downstairs, she’d found half a dozen frozen pizzas in her freezer and made them all, having no idea what they all liked. She planned to get Lilly alone somehow and explain the situation to her. She’d just cut up the last pizza and plated it when Lilly walked in alone nixing her need for a plan. Manon smiled and pulled her into the living area. 

 

“I have something to tell you.” Her voice was barely above a whisper, terrified the others would come down and overhear. Lilly frowned.

 

“What is it? Is it about Hannah?” Worry coated her words and Manon cringed, forgetting she’d go straight to Hannah. 

 

“No. It’s not Hannah.” She paused, wishing she could keep him to herself but knowing she couldn’t. “It’s Jake. He’s here.” 

 

Lily reared back in shock, eyes lighting up as she looked around the room and came up empty. 

 

“Where is he? Can I see him? I have to apologise, I have to - “

 

“No, none of that. He’s not quite up-to meeting anyone yet, he’s only just gotten used to being around me. He does want to talk to you though, he’s just not very-“ Manon paused, he was very good with words when he was buried inside her but she couldn’t exactly tell Lilly that. 

 

“He isn’t good with people, he doesn’t want to fuck anything up so he’s asking for a little time. Is that okay?” Manon asked, unsure but willing to fight her on it. 

 

Lilly only nodded in understanding, her exposure to Jake had already shown her how difficult he found communicating. 

 

“Okay, I understand. Can you tell him when he’s ready I’ll be there though? There’s so much I want to ask him.” She admitted and Manon couldn’t help but smile, delighted for them both even though it would be incredibly awkward at first. Maybe she should film it, for future use when they found Hannah. 

 

“I’ll do that, don’t worry, he’ll find the words eventually.” Manon squeezed her arm and carried the last pizza through to the dining table just as the rest of their rag-tag group traipsed in. She’d already deposited too much wine and beer on the table, determined to liquor them up and get through the questioning. 

 

She was 3 glasses of merlot down and feeling very warm, the chatter around the table never stopped and luckily they seemed to not need her input right now. They only got louder the more they drank and Manon was trying to tune most of it out, her eyes flicking to the ceiling as if she could see through it to Jake. Jessys red hair flashed every time she turned to look at someone, chatting animatedly with Cleo and Thomas, Lilly was quieter but would jump in whenever she had something to add. Manon knew Lilly was younger than the others and wasn’t sure if they were always her friends or if they’d just adopted her after Hannah went missing. They seemed to care for each other and Manon was glad of it, Thomas was quite reserved though and she couldn’t suss him out. It didn’t escape her notice that he avoided looking her way, sending her thoughts into overdrive, wondering what else he was hiding. Manon had just finished her last slice of pizza when Jessy called her name. The girl had an infectious smile and Manon couldn’t help but return it. 

 

“Yes, Jessy?”

 

“Where are you from?” Jessy asked curiously and Manon refilled her wine glass, the interrogation was beginning. 

 

“A small town two states over, Pinella Pass.”

 

Jessy nodded, “I think I’ve heard of that but I don’t know how” She tapped her chin in thought and Manon hoped she wouldn’t remember tonight. 

 

“So you just up and left? Won’t you miss your family?” Cleo prodded and Manon clasped her hands on the table as she sat straight to look her in the face. 

 

“It’s hard to miss what you don’t have. My family are all dead.” She didn’t soften her words, no point and it would hopefully end Cleo’s train of thought. Jessy immediately rushed to comfort her. 

 

“Oh that’s awful! I’m so sorry Manon.” 

 

Manon waved her off, “It’s been a long time, I left my hometown because I had nothing to keep me there. It was easier to come here than to stay actually.”

 

Jessy nodded but Manon saw she didn’t quite understand, Cleo looked appropriately chastised and had gone quiet just as she’d thought. It was Thomas who asked the next question, shocking Manon. 

 

“Are you here for good then? I mean you bought this place, that doesn’t seem temporary.”

 

“I’m here for the foreseeable future, I have no plans to leave yet. I knew we’d need somewhere to hideout and this was the perfect place.” Manon spoke quietly but they all heard, her impulsive decision to come here and go all in hadn’t seemed crazy to her. 

 

“What about your job though?” Cleo said, now she’d removed her foot from her mouth. 

 

Manon didn’t like her tone but bit her tongue, sensing it would take a while for Cleo to trust her fully.

 

“I’m not attached to any one place for work, I work for myself. I’ll tell you more about that another day though.” Manon left no room for arguments in her tone and let some of the fire show in her eyes when Cleo held her gaze, she backed down after a moment. Manon gulped at her wine and wished she was elsewhere, preferable lost in Jake and the incredible heat that flared between them whenever they so much as glanced at each other. Her nerves were on edge, a chaotic energy she couldn’t shake had settled in her this morning and she felt twitchy in her chair.

 

“What made you come here, Manon?” Lilly ventured and Manon gave her a closed lip smile, grateful she’d broken the awkward silence that had fallen. 

 

“It was stupid trying to do everything through a phone, it just made sense. It would have taken too long to solve if I hadn’t, now I can get out there and put an end to it.” 

 

Both Cleo and Thomas raised a brow, expressions incredulous as they looked her over, Manon tugged on the leash of her temper and reigned it in. She despised being underestimated and they were doing too much of it. 

 

“I might not look like I can handle this but trust me when I tell you that I can. I will.” 

 

“Oh, I absolutely believe that! You’re quite scary sometimes actually.” Jessy laughed and Manon shot her a grateful smile. 

 

“I guess we’ll see.” Cleo had to get in. 

“You will.” Manon said quietly but not weakly. 

The awkward silence quickly burned off as they finished eating and drank more, the conversation turning light once more. Debating their favourite movies and shows, Jessy loved anything supernatural which Manon immediately agreed with.

 

”I love Ghost Adventures. I’ve always had this weird crush on the lead, Zak.” She admitted and Jessy laughed.

 

”I know exactly what you mean! I also like the guy with the beard, Aaron. He’s hilarious.” Jessy said and Manon agreed. 


“They’re all so dramatic I just love it.” Manon giggled, now feeling the effects of the wine she’d drank.

 

”It’s the emo style too though!” Jessy agreed, “The black hair, black clothes and the attitude to match.” 


“And Zak is Quite mysterious, makes you want to figure him out.” Manon added.

 

Her thoughts immediately going to Jake, she’d never liked the clean cut, shiny guys. It was always the ones with the rough edges, deep secrets and dark sides. She liked to discover what was under their skin, what they wanted to keep hidden from everyone else and show them she was the same. Jake was awkward, closed off and pretty damn rude at times to everyone else but with her he was different. He softened around her but could also match the hardness in her and throw it right back, he could keep up with her. Cleo noticed Manon wasn’t paying attention, her question sending a bolt of cold fury through her.

 

”Is that why you like that hacker so much?”

 

”No. I’m not that superficial. There are many reasons why I like him.”  Her voice was clipped, Lilly’s eyes on her face keeping her in check. 

“The man is a walking red flag and yet you trust him completely. You barely know him.”  Cleo shook her head derisively and Manon gripped the edge of the table to keep from launching herself at her.

 

”I know him enough to know he has nothing to do with Hannah’s disappearance. He is here to help us.” 


Manon caught her slip the same time Cleo did and wanted to punch herself. Stupid, stupid, stupid! 

 

”So he’s here then? I knew it. Will we get to meet him or is that too much to ask?”

 

Manon wanted to snarl but she pasted on a mocking smile instead.

 

”You will. When he’s ready.” She would not argue with her, Not about this. 

Cleo scoffed, “Sure. I think we deserve to know everything you two have been doing. I’m sick of only knowing half the story. It’s not fair.” 

Manon was prepared for this, knew she’d have to divulge everything at some point so she inclined her head.

 

”I agree. Once everyone is here Jake and I will share what we know with you. It’s important that we all work together instead of against each other. Can you put your feelings about Jake aside if we do that, Cleo?” 


Manon kept her tone light but she felt like she weighed a thousand pounds right then, the heavy load of all she had to carry settling like a millstone around her neck. Cleo thankfully backed down, her eyes softening and a tiny smile flirting with her hard mouth.

 

”If he’s willing to do that I’ll happily give him a chance, he has to earn our trust though. We don’t know him like you do, Manon.” Cleo said with a slight shrug, no heat behind her words now and Manon gave her a genuine smile. 


“I understand, I’m sorry we’ve kept you all in the dark,” she addressed the group as a whole now, “Now then, shall we have some fun for a change?” 

Jessy raised her glass and whooped, Thomas actually chuckled and Lilly looked so relieved Manon wanted to give her a hug. Cleo was placated for now and Manon respected her for standing her ground, saw a little of herself in her. Manon led them out the patio doors to the fire pit, they all sat around it while Manon set to lighting the fire. She soon got it going and sat down between Jessy and Lilly.

 

”Sorry about Cleo, she’s always been nosy but she means well.” Jessy whispered, eyeing Cleo and Thomas through the flames.

 

”Oh it’s fine, I expected it. I quite like her actually, she’s tough.” 

Jessy snorted, cheeks stained red from the alcohol and Lilly seemed more at ease. 

“She comes off cold but she isn’t. Just takes her a while to warm up.” Lilly added and Manon sipped her wine, silently agreeing. 


“Anyway,” Jessy leaned over to fill Manons glass, “I’m so fucking glad we’re here, I actually feel safe for a change.”

 

Lilly hummed in agreement, “It’s a shame Dan can’t be here though, he’s really mad about that.” 


“Yeah he’s been blowing up my phone all day, I’m half tempted to go get him just to shut him up.” Manon chuckled.

 

”He hates being left out, It’s Richy I’m worried about. We haven’t really spoken since I blamed him for getting Phil arrested.” Jessys voice was despondent, regret hanging like a veil over her small form. 


“He knew you didn’t mean it, you’ll get to talk with him soon.” Manon assured her though she was still worried that he hadn’t contacted her yet and Jake hadn’t messaged to say he’d found anything.

 

Jessy heaved a sigh, lowering her eyes to her feet before she replied.

 

”I know. I just hate that he’s not here.”

 

Lilly seemed to be biting her tongue but Manon was not that considerate, she typically refused to acknowledge awkward situations so she chose chaos.

 

”When are you two going to wake up and realise you belong together?” 



Lilly choked on her wine and Jessy gaped at Manon, mouth opening and closing as her head shook in denial.

 

”What? That’s - no we - he’s my friend. He’s my boss. It’s not like that.” 



Her face and neck were scarlet though, her voice rising so high it was almost a squeal and Lilly clapped a hand to her mouth to keep from laughing. Manon simply raised an unconvinced brow.

 

”Hmm, sure Jess. And Jake and I are just  roommates.” 



Jessy buried her face in her hands while Lilly chuckled. 



“Okay, I didn’t realise I liked him until you mentioned he seemed to have a crush on me. Since then I can’t stop thinking about it but he has never mentioned anything.” 



Manon laid a soothing hand on her arm and whispered, “He doesn’t want to risk ruining your friendship. He won’t make a move unless he’s absolutely certain you feel the same.”

 

Lilly agreed, “Exactly. We’ve all known for years to be honest.”

 

”Why the fuck did no one tell me?!” Jessy demanded and she was answered by Thomas, Cleo and Lilly.

 

”We thought you knew!”

 

Manon cackled, very pleased with herself and glad that was out of the way. Jessys gaze narrowed on her though and she knew what was coming next.

 

”Yeah, yeah, very funny! Why don’t you tell us about Jake, Manon.” She teased and Manon winked.

 

”Oh, there’s absolutely nothing to tell. I am as pure as the driven snow.” She said seriously, adopting a posh accent and biting her lip to suppress a smile.

 

“Oh fuck off! There is no way you haven’t slept with him.” Cleo shouted with a laugh and Lilly grimaced, Manon had the wild urge to giggle. Jessy actually did and poor Thomas looked like he’d rather be anywhere else, he was surrounded by tipsy women. Manon hadn’t engaged in any form of girl talk since she was a teenager, she wanted to keep her relationship safe and free from outside influence but that wasn’t realistic. Plus she really just wanted to share it with someone.



“To be honest I deserve a Goddamn medal! I slept in the same bed as him for two nights and nothing happened.” Manon felt buzzed, not quite drunk but enough to lose any inhibitions she might have had while sober. 



“I take it that means he isn’t a bald old man then? Because that’s all I could picture whenever you mentioned him.” Jessy admitted and Manon gave her a feral grin. 



“Definitely not, he’s…” Manon trailed off, not wanting to give them too much. 


“He has many talents, that’s all I’m saying.” She put down her glass, it was half full but she didn’t want to get drunk, her mind and body already on their way to Jake. The alcohol only adding to the need slowly waking low in her abdomen. Jessy eyed her knowingly, Lilly was pretending to be engrossed in her phone and Cleo had turned back to Thomas. 


“Well, he seemed to really like you, the way he fought for you and defended you. If he was willing to do that then, what would he do now?” Jessy mused, expression bright and curious, Manon only laughed. 


“Let’s hope we don’t have to find out!” Manon stood and slapped her hands to her thighs, the nervy energy that had hounded her all day finally demanding an outlet. 



“I’m off to bed, lock the door and mind your business.” She crooned, not bothering to look at them as they all wished her goodnight and quickly began chatting again. 



Manon walked into the kitchen and walked through the house to lock the front door. Making sure the deadbolt was on since she still hadn’t called the security company to activate the system they’d installed. She made sure the windows were all locked and  took off her jacket, shoes and socks before padding up the stairs. Her heart thudding louder with every step she took, wine and lust mixing in her blood to create a heady bouquet of anticipation. When she finally made it to her door she took a deep breath, her body demanding action and release, wanting to make him feel as unhinged as she did every time he touched her. 

 

She walked in on steady feet, wine still on her tongue and she had a sudden craving to taste him instead. She felt him come up behind her as she locked the door, a strong arm snaking around her waist, settling just above her waistband and the other moved over her shoulder to slide up her neck, holding her jaw firmly. His thumb stroked along her cheek, her pulse thrumming wildly as arousal licked down to her core and began to burn.



“How drunk are you, Manon?” He whispered into her ear, she fought the shiver that threatened as he kissed the spot behind it.



“I'm not drunk.” She said, breath hitching as the fingers on her stomach snuck under her waistband, pausing when he discovered she hadn’t worn underwear. Manon smiled when the hand on her chin tightened, tilting her jaw so he could look her in the eye and she noted his hair was damp, he must've showered while waiting for her. 


“Did you forget something?” He murmured, voice so husky she could hardly make him out and she could smell whisky on his breath. 

“No, just thought I’d save us some time.” 

The room was so silent it seemed like a crime to speak above a whisper, their hushed breaths and the pounding of her heart the only sounds. He must’ve closed the curtains and turned off most of the lights, the room was so dim. He seemed to approve of her remark, his only reply was to kiss her, his lips bruising in their intensity, the angle made them clumsy and she loved it.

 

She suddenly felt unspeakably hot, the press of him at her back and the hand in her jeans moving lazily, too slowly, making her twitch. Need hitting her swift and hard, growing slick between her thighs when she felt how hard he was behind her already, leaning back to grind against it. She tasted the whisky on his tongue, he gave a pleased groan that she swallowed down when his fingers traced the seam of her and found her wet for him. He delicately pulled her apart, teasing feints around her entrance to make her jerk in his arms and have her beg but she wanted the same from him. 

Manon deliberately rolled her hips to wiggle against him and chase the friction that was becoming an intolerable need. Still he kissed her, stealing her breath and keeping it for his own, her chest heaving as she tried to resist the intoxicating pleasure of his touch. Fire burned low in her abdomen as he circled her clit with devastating slowness, she had to stop this soon or she’d never do what she came here to do. Her knees nearly buckled when he abruptly slid two fingers inside her, all thoughts scattered from her mind as a strangled moan escaped her. Greedy cunt trapping him inside, he laughed against her mouth and she knew he’d have her reduced to a shaking mess within moments, the ache he’d caused not satisfied yet. She could feel her own essence dripping down her thighs, knew his hand was soaked and the flash of energy through her limbs told her she couldn’t hold it back. 

He let go of her chin, letting her breathe as he bit and sucked his way down the column of her neck, his thumb grazing her clit as he moved his fingers inside her. She felt molten and undone, inner walls already fluttering before he expertly curled his fingers. She opened her mouth to scream and he clapped his hand over it, tutting in her ear as he ramped up the strokes on that bundle of nerves. 

“You have to be quiet, Manon. Can you do that for me?” He rasped into her ear, the tempo of his hand changing as she struggled to hold off her orgasm, both hating and loving that he could take her apart so easily. She could only nod and he dropped his hand to her hip, pulling her against him, rocking his hips into her ass so she could feel how much he wanted her. She wanted to touch him, she wanted to feel him come apart but she was spiralling, he knew her too well by now and flung her to the edge, stilling when he felt the throb of it around his fingers. She didn’t know whether to scream or feel grateful, her body mourning the loss of its release but her mind demanded she turn the tables.

He pulled free of her and she turned to watch him as he lifted the hand soaked in her essence to his mouth and sucked them clean, his eyes fluttering shut as he groaned deeply before swallowing her down. She rubbed her thighs together to ease herself, the sight so erotic she could hardly stand it and when his eyes opened they were so dark it was a wonder he could even see. He was smirking and it was her breaking point. She grabbed his shirt, used all her strength to turn and push him against the door, his head knocking back with the force of it. He gave a dark chuckle and she felt utterly wild, her hands tugged at his trousers pulling them and his underwear down until his cock sprang free, he stepped out of them at her direction.


She weighed him in her palm, the skin impossibly smooth and she held his eye as she lowered down to her knees, Jake swallowed thickly once her head was level with his crotch. 

 

“You have to be quiet, Jake.” She stroked her hand down the length of him as she repeated his words to her, smirking now “Can you do that for me?” 

She swirled her thumb over the head of him, making him jump in her hand and all at once she felt powerful, in control. Jake nodded once, eyes blown black with lust and she smiled slowly when he balled his hands into fists at his side. 


“You better hold on, Jake.”

 

She licked a stripe down the length of his shaft, her other hand lightly cupped his balls, the musky scent of him making her mouth water. She alternated between gentle twists of her wrist and teasing the crown of him with flicks of her tongue before closing her lips around him, his hands quickly found their way to her hair when she spat into her palm to work him over better. She looked up to meet his eye as she closed her lips around the head, watching as his mouth parted and he hissed in reaction. She hollowed her cheeks, swirling her tongue over him before sucking him deeper into her mouth, never letting her hand lose its rhythm and setting a languid pace to drive him mad. His hips bucked, trying to get her to take more but she pulled back instead, flattening her tongue and tapping it softly against the head, the hands in her hair tightened enough that she felt a slight burn in her scalp. Oh, she liked this, being in control. She very much liked seeing him this way, thighs tensed and breathing hard, found it very arousing and had to squeeze her thighs together to counter the ache that was quickly becoming an irritant.

 

He was murmuring praise to encourage her, the rough edge in his voice causing a flood of wet heat between her thighs, she swallowed him down until he hit the back of her throat and a strangled moan left him when she hummed, the sound going straight to her cunt. She stopped massaging his balls, her hand sliding into her jeans to touch herself, needing to counter the emptiness inside her and ease the ache, her fingers slipped over her clit she was so wet. She heard the thud of his head hitting the door, Jake groaned and she looked up as she bobbed over him, moaning around his cock as she teased herself. Her fingers were no match for Jakes but she made do, circling her clit as she stroked him in time with her mouth, his hips rocked into her face and she slid two fingers inside herself, Jake watching her every move with rapt attention.

 

He growled her name in warning, telling her he was too close but she increased her efforts instead, bringing herself to the edge with him. His hands pulled her head toward him to take more of him, her eyes watered but she swallowed when he hit the back of her throat again and felt a surge of primal pride when he sobbed her name. His thighs quivered and she knew he was almost there, her hand between her legs working faster and she felt the warning pulse of her release low in her gut when he snarled viciously, pulling her off him so quickly she yelped in shock. 

 

She'd barely gotten her bearings when he pulled her hand away from her cunt and held both wrists behind her back, marching her to the bed. She stumbled and feigned resistance to get him to hold her tighter, his teeth snapping at her ear in retaliation. He was going to devastate her tonight, she knew it by the tension in every line of his body, handsome face harsh as he let her go and turned her to face him, he dropped down on his haunches and pulled at her jeans. He tugged them down her heated skin, telling her to sit on the edge of the bed so he could pull them over her feet. He quickly stripped out of his shirt and knelt between her parted legs. Her breathing was labored as he finally met her eye, his hands trailing up her thighs to settle on her hips and she'd have done anything he asked just to get him to touch her.

 

"I want you on your hands and knees, Manon." His voice so guttural it was more of a growl.

 

She melted at the question in his tone, it wasn't a demand and he wouldn't ever put his pleasure over hers, she took off her own shirt but he stopped her before she could take her lacy red bra off. It matched the lipstick she was sure had smeared by now. Manon leaned forward to capture his mouth, needing his hands on her and he obliged, palming at her breasts as she teased his tongue with hers. She whimpered as he dropped a hand to tease her aching center and smiled against her mouth, she broke away needing him to fill the emptiness in her core before she went insane. She put her back to him and crawled to the middle of the bed, knew he could see the mess he'd made of her by his pained groan. She spread her knees wide before arching her back, lowering her head to the mattress and holding both hands behind her back, encouraging him to trap them. He said her name like a prayer, the bed dipping as he he settled behind her, thick cock glancing off her ass as he gripped both wrists in one hand, the delicate bones bending as he twisted them. She turned her head to watch him when he stroked his other hand down her ass and finally lined himself up with her.

 

A warbling moan left her as he slowly stretched and filled her, her thighs trembling when he bottomed out and she was overwhelmed by how deep he was. Her eyes screwed tight against the exquisite burn of her inner muscles as she tensed around him. She felt him lean over her and press a kiss between her shoulder blades but he didn't do anything else, his free hand held onto her hip desperately as if to keep him tethered to her. She rocked back ever so slightly, the ache in her now demanding relief and that tiny movement sent a pulse of fire licking up her stomach, arousal dripping down her thighs. She whined now, feeling too close to insanity when he refused to move, tugging on her wrists to move her back instead and she couldn't take it anymore, felt as though she'd combust if he kept it up.

 

"Jake. You need to move." She spoke through gritted teeth, her voice desperate, "Fuck me, please. I can't take this..."

 

He took a deep breath, straightening and she realized then he was trying to hold himself back to make sure she came first, she would have found it very sweet if she didn't feel like she was about to crack in two. She almost howled when he pulled out, a brutal thrust of his hips slamming back into her and she buried her face in the sheets to muffle the sounds she was making. The hold on her wrists bruising and only sent her higher, he set a punishing pace and she sobbed when he tugged her back in time with his thrusts. It was too much, he was buried too deep, each grunt he made echoing in her mind and the slide of him in her cunt making her  clench as her thighs trembled. She was nothing but the lust in her veins, he let go of her hip and her stomach tightened as he ghosted his fingers over her clit, whimpering when he did it again.

 

"You're close, I can feel it. Can you come with me? I won't last much longer."

 

Manon could only tighten her fists in response, the touch on her clit became urgent, her hips bucked wildly and his thrusts turned erratic, it hit her so strongly she couldn't make a sound. Her body went rigid as the tension snapped so violently her eyes rolled back and she actually saw stars, Jakes harsh shout as he gave one last powerful thrust seemed far away to her. Her entire body was shaking, boneless and useless. Jake slumped over her and she let him push her down into the mattress, shockwaves still holding her in their grip. He was still inside her when he finally shifted them into a spooning position and she made no moves to make him leave, barely able to string words together as her body slowly came back down. They were explosive together, it felt better every time and she had no idea it could be like this, she'd always enjoyed sex but had never felt this bone-deep need before. Even as they lay there calming down he didn't stop touching her, hands mapping her curves in soothing strokes and she wanted him again already. She hummed low in her throat when he kissed her neck and smiled at the gentleness in the gesture so at odds with the side he showed her just minutes before.

 

"How did it go? With your friends I mean." He finally asked.

 

"Okay, I think. Me and Cleo butted heads but I think she'll warm up soon." 

 

"She always seemed the most distrustful, except Lilly of course." Jake said carefully and Manon nodded.

 

"It'll be fine, Lilly can't wait to meet you by the way. I thought I'd have to handcuff her to the banister to keep her from hunting you down." Manon giggled and felt Jake chuckling against her skin.

 

"You keep a pair handy for that sort of thing?" He jested.

 

"Oh, I have a pair for every occasion, Jake. Play your cards right and I might let you try them." She purred when he pulled her flush against him.

 

"I'll keep that in mind, so what happens now?" His tone turned more serious, things were changing now and all they had was hope, it seemed dangerous to hang everything on that.

 

She sighed, "I think we just have to hope we can solve this soon and that none of us get hurt. We just have to... hope."

 

He kissed her neck again before replying, "So we live for the hope of it all then? It's better than living in fear I suppose."

 

She smiled. "For the hope of it all? I like that."

 

 

 

 

Notes:

Thank you for reading! The response so far is amazing. If you like my story please share it with others you think will like it! I can’t believe how lovely this fandom is. Chapter 8 will contain more bonding time for the gang and some plans are put in motion.

Chapter 8: And live with me forever now, pull the blackout curtains down

Summary:

We start off with a bang ;) Manon meddles, a message from a friend sets her on edge and Jake opens up a little. A lot happens actually, I started writing this the day I posted the last chapter and couldn’t stop until I finished. It might be my favourite yet! If you want to skip the smut it’s right at the beginning, look for the stars to find the end!

Notes:

Two chapters in a week, who am I? But don’t get used to it. I just couldn’t wait to post this one. I accidentally posted this earlier today instead of saving it as a draft. So if you got a notification about an update and found none, that’s why!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

 

 

 

immortals

 


“Sometimes the only payoff of having any faith

Is when it’s tested again and again every day

I’m still comparing your past to my future

 

It might be your wound

But they’re my sutures

 

I am the sand in the bottom half of the hourglass

I try to picture me without you but I can’t

 

Cause we could be immortals

Just not for long,

for long”

 

Immortals - Fall Out Boy

******

 

 

 

 

 

 

She was in that half-awake state when she felt him move, sleep trying to drag her back down but aware enough to understand what was happening. Rough hands pulled impatiently at her thighs, parting them and rolling her onto her back, wide awake now but feigning sleep. She kept her body limp even as she felt the brush of his beard against the sensitive skin of her inner thighs and tried to keep her breathing even, lust stirred instantly when he blew a hard breath over her. Her heartbeat thudded too loudly, lazy licks of flame trickled down her stomach to burn in her core and dampen her folds. He slung her leg over his shoulder and she cracked an eye open, sunlight snuck through a crack in the curtain but he was hidden under the covers.

 

He seemed to stay still for an age, just breathing her in, then he pinned her other thigh against the bed and spread her wide, nipping at her skin with sharp teeth making her jolt. She got a grip on herself a second before his hot tongue ran along the seam of her, desire pooling fast and she grabbed handfuls of the sheets, giving up on the pretence of sleep. He had the nerve to wish her good morning, feeling the words against her slick flesh more than she heard them. He ran a hand down her flank, the one keeping her pinned moved to surround her entrance, parting her folds and teasingly light flicks of his tongue on her clit making her shiver. She bit down on her lip to keep quiet, the soft sounds of him lapping at her cunt and enjoying the taste so thrilling she was in torment already.

 

He was taking his time, each languid stroke of his tongue out of time with the blood racing to her core, and she couldn't stop the small sound of impatience that left her mouth, his midnight laugh muffled under the covers. He was in a teasing mood and she knew he would not let her come until he was satisfied she'd reached the point of desperation. Her thighs tensed when his hot mouth surrounded her clit and sucked her into his mouth whole, her hips jerking as he relentlessly worked her clit with his tongue. She cried out, hands diving under the covers to clutch at his hair to keep him against her and better withstand the onslaught, his fingers dabbling at her entrance to drive her mad. Pleasure caught  in its trap, her fingers pulling at his hair before he relented and eased off on her clit, throwing back the covers so she could see his face.

 

 

Intense eyes snared hers, the mess of her glistening on his chin and he smirked at her, licking at his lips before he finally pushed a finger inside her. She flung her head back, unable to look at him any longer as he delved deep and searched for her sweet spot, adding two more fingers without warning. She moaned at the slight burn the invasion caused, the sting of pain countering the intensity of what he was doing to her. He was still watching her, felt his eyes like a brand on her face and she was so turned on it was agonising, clever fingers knowing exactly how to pick her apart. Her body convulsed, hips rocking to take more to satisfy the craving deep inside her, she wanted his cock so badly it was painful and he knew it, could see it on her face as she tried to fill the emptiness by riding his hand.

 

“Good girl,” he murmured as her cunt clamped around his fingers. He was playing with her, seeing how far he could push her before she snapped and she was close, nerves firing every time he crooked his fingers. He refused to touch her where she needed him, impatience fraying her fragile hold on herself and no matter how she moved her body, she couldn’t get the friction she needed. She sobbed in frustration, eyes snapping to his face to find him smug and completely in control, arousal dripped from her at the predatory glint in his eyes. She decided to push him, releasing her hold on his head and let her hand fall between her legs to push herself over the edge. She managed all of two pathetic swipes over her clit before he snatched her hand away and pinned it to the bed.

 

“No, I decide when you come, Manon. Understand?”

 

His voice was sinful, silk over barbed wire and she whimpered in distress, nodding weakly as he watched her. It was unbearable, she felt like she was on fire, sweat beaded on her skin and she couldn't draw a deep enough breath with him observing her so keenly. The show of dominance shocking her and her enjoyment of it pushing her higher still. Her stomach tightened when his hand sped up, inner walls tightening their hold and she was close to begging when she felt his warm mouth on her. He was devouring her, groaning deep as he swallowed her down. Quick darts of his tongue against her clit as he pulled his fingers against that spot, she clamped her hand over her mouth to silence the noises she was making, feeling completely unhinged as he drove her to the edge. It was so exquisite she had to close her eyes, the visual of his dark head between her thighs as he fucked her with tongue and fingers too much to handle, the knot in her core pulling so tight her muscles went rigid.

 

“You taste sweet.” She twitched, so close she could taste it like smoke in the back of her throat and his ragged words not helping, “I haven't been able to get you out of my mind or mouth, it's very distracting.”

 

“Somehow, I don't feel guilty about that.” She choked out and he chuckled, the vibration of it on her clit dragging a moan from her.

 

“I didn't think you would,” a broad stroke of his tongue, savouring her as his fingers twisted making her cry his name. “How badly do you want to come, Manon?” he taunted and she snarled, the pleasure an acute agony now he kept her dangling at the cliffs edge. He ghosted his tongue over that bundle of nerves and she jerked violently.

 

Please...” Manon begged, distress clear in her tone and he chuckled again, the sound sliding over her skin, pricking at her nerves.

 

She lifted her head, feeling out of control and senseless, he met her gaze and smiled wickedly. Every pore on her body seemed to splay wide, so oversensitive she couldnt withstand it. She needed him inside her, the ache so deep and demanding she couldn't think around it, the too soft strokes of his tongue not enough.

 

“Jake...” She breathed, felt him still and she fluttered around his fingers.

 

“What do you want, sweetheart?”

 

“You. Inside me. Now.” She bit out and he swore, pulling his hand from her.

 

He sat back on his knees, pulling her with him and arranging her leg over his forearm, she wrapped the other around his waist and he bent her back slightly to expose her to him. He lined up with her, balancing on one arm at her side and grabbing hold of her hip with the other, she felt twisted up inside when he finally slammed into her. His thick cock hard as steel as he pushed past her resisting muscles, tensing deliberately to feel every lovely inch of him and they both moaned in relief as he filled her completely. The empty feeling changed to a fullness so complete she struggled to breathe.

 

She could feel her arousal drip down onto his thighs as he drove into her, his face harsh with restraint and need, she was crawling out her skin. The snap of his hips was lewd in the quiet room, she had nothing to hold onto except the sheets, her teeth rattling with every mean thrust. His hand slipped from her hip to land on her other side, he leaned forward to contort her further, the angle changing so he hit that spot deep inside her that drove her wild. She moaned and pushed back against him, grabbing hold of his arms to help meet every lunge of his cock inside her. His eyes locked to where they were joined, transfixed by the sight of her cunt swallowing him whole and she didn't recognise the voice coming from her, sounding crazed to her own ears. Sweat coated both of them, she contracted around him and the growl that tore from him sent a bolt of electricity straight to her clit. She needed more and told him so, baring her neck to make it abundantly clear what she wanted.

 

His hips stuttered as he lifted a shaking hand, stopping to fondle her breasts before making his way to her neck and wrapping his fist around her throat. Fire swirled low in her abdomen as he found his rhythm again, flexing and un-flexing his fingers as she tossed her head, eyes unseeing as release shimmered just out of reach. Her pulse hammered wildly under his hand, she was so close it was painful and he was working her so hard his whole body was rigid. She needed to fly, balanced on the precipice as her legs spasmed and shook, it was all too much but not enough. He saw it, felt it in the way her cunt fluttered around his length and the hand at her throat shook her, making her meet his eye.

 

“You can come now.” He spoke through gritted teeth, authority clear in his tone and she obeyed.

 

She let go of his arm, arching her back as she felt blindly between her thighs, he gasped when her fingers brushed against his shaft as he slid out and pushed back in, pace slowing slightly now. She smiled at his reaction, fingers slipping through her folds to swirl over her clit, body going tense as pleasure shot like sparks through her. It was overwhelming, the position he'd contorted her into making sure he hit so deep she felt it in her bones. Bubbling warmth spread from her centre and through her limbs as she flew to the edge, slowing to keep herself in that blissful space for a moment longer.

 

“Now. Manon.” Jake demanded and she whined but listened.

 

A low buzz in her ears as she circled her fingers over her clit, his hand tightened around her throat and he gained momentum, fucking her harder as her cunt clasped him tightly in warning. Cobalt eyes stared into hers and she saw how close he was to losing control, the need in them matching her own. She gave into it then, her whole body tensed as she shattered around him and curled toward him, his hand wrapping around the back of her neck to drag her mouth to his and quieten her down. She trembled violently as wave after wave of release rushed through her, so intense she was almost weeping with it and he fucked her through it, prolonging it until she felt like she'd pass out.

 

It didn't want to stop and he wouldn't let her, he was still driving into her as he let her breathe and bit down on her neck. She whined and clawed at his back, writhing as he moved within her, wetness rushing from her as she felt the warning pulse deep in her core again. He laughed into her neck as she tried to fight it, the sound so smug she wanted to slap him and settled on biting him back as her orgasm bled into another.

 

Jake still smiled against her neck as she struggled to keep hold of him. The strength of it striking her dumb and blind, leaving her stunned. He held onto her and coaxed her through it, moving erratically now as he chased his own end. She was ruined, mind blown to the winds as her inner walls grasped and pulled at his cock, aftershocks rolling through her with every harsh thrust. She felt him pulse inside her, the low snarl of her name in her ear telling her he was nearly there, she carded her fingers through his hair and gave a warbling moan when he gave one last vicious thrust, spilling inside her with a deep moan.

 

They collapsed in a tangle of legs and arms on the ruined sheets, both panting for air. Her mouth was dry, body so loose she couldn't have moved even if she'd wanted to and she didn't want to try. Jake's arm lay like an iron band around her back, the pound of his heart against her breast in tempo with her own. She heard him swallow thickly, her face was buried in the crook of his neck, arms still looped around his neck. He kissed the top of her head, holding her tighter and sighing contentedly into her hair, she smiled against his skin scratching her nails against his scalp. Her mind was blissfully quiet for once and it was oddly freeing.

 

“Jake?” her voice was hoarse and she had to clear her throat twice before she could speak.

 

“Hmmm?” His sleepy hum made her smile.

 

“Where the fuck did you learn that?” She teased, having enjoyed every second of it and hoping he'd do it again.

 

He huffed a laugh, stirring to brush her nest of hair away from her face.

 

“Why? I got the idea you liked it.”

 

She grinned. “Oh, I did. Very much, but tell me anyway.” He examined her face before answering.

 

“I noticed you seemed to like me taking charge, usually that's your job but for some reason you seem to need me to take control and I want to make sure you need me.” 

 

She felt a thrill at his honesty, understanding him completely.

 

“Don’t stop doing it, I’d hate to have to kill you.” She said lightly to ensure he knew she was fine with it.

 

He chuckled and agreed, taking her mouth in a rousing kiss. He could be so heartbreakingly gentle, like he was afraid of breaking her but when lost in her body he became something else entirely. She loved both sides of him, the emotion swelling to take over her hollow chest and fill it with sound. She tried to pour all she was feeling into her kiss, telling him with lips and tongue what she couldn’t yet with words. She thought he understood by the way he pulled her closer and returned her efforts with equal fervour, smiling against her mouth. She broke away first watching as he opened his eyes and looked back at her with all his guards down, yes he knew. He was right there with her. 



****




Manon was in the kitchen making them coffee and toast, they’d showered together and she’d left him dozing on the bed, he’d woken her far too early but she was glad he had. It was not long after 9am. The other occupants of the house were still sleeping off their hangovers so she needn’t worry about having to entertain anyone yet. She was just about to carry everything upstairs when she heard her phone ringing, she set the plate and mugs down on the stairs with a sigh and headed to pick it up. Her heart jolted when she saw the caller ID. 

“Hi, Richy. So happy you finally found time to call.” She said dryly. 

Richy gave a nervous chuckle. “Hi Manon, sorry about yesterday. I just couldn’t leave until I was sure they’d be okay.”

 

Manon sighed but understood. 

“I know. When are you coming then?” She paused, deciding to help Jessy out, 

 

“Jessy can’t wait to see you by the way.”

 

Richy was silent for moment before clearing his throat. 


“She really said that?”

 

Manon smiled at the tone of his voice, it seemed she wasn’t the only one living for the hope of it all. 

“She did, I think you two should make time to talk things out when you arrive… when will that be again?” She pushed and waited. 

She heard him close a door before replying. 

“This afternoon, I haven’t told my parents where I’m going because I didn’t think you’d like that,” Manon made a noise of agreement and he continued, 

 

“I have a favour to ask though.”

 

Anxiety crawled through her mind like mist.

 

“What is it?” 

Richy took a breath and chuckled nervously. 


“I need to be able to check on my family. I can’t just leave them alone the whole time. Would that be all right?” 


Manon bit back a groan, rubbing at her temple but gave in.

 

”I suppose that’s reasonable, but we will sort out the details when you get here okay? Text me when you leave so I know when to expect you.”

 

Richys voice was filled with relief, the smile clear, “Thank you, Manon. I should get there around 12ish but I’ll let you know. Tell Jessy I can’t wait to talk to her, will you?” 

Manon chuckled, “You could tell her yourself, but fine. I’ll do that. See you later Richy.”

 

She hung up when he said goodbye, excitement trickling into her veins at the thought of Jessys face when he arrived. Oh, she hoped they’d figure it out, they were perfect for each other and they both deserved some happiness. Manon carefully picked up the plate and mugs and trudged back upstairs, the heavy ache between her thighs making her smile all the way.

 

Jake opened the door as she cleared the landing, taking the mugs from her and leaning down to kiss her cheek. She stepped around him to enter the room, ignoring the pull she always felt whenever she was near him to head to the bed and sat down. She’d have to change the sheets later, they’d made a mess of them last night and this morning. He sat beside her and lifted his arm, inviting her to settle against him so she did, handing him the plate after she took her share. She curled her knees to her chest, leaning against him as she ate and thought over the phone call with Richy. Jake didn’t speak, too busy stuffing toast in his mouth between mouthfuls of coffee and she felt completely safe for once. The idea that anything bad could happen seemed very far away to her right then. She finished her toast and sipped at her coffee before she decided to tell him. 

“Richy called just now, he’s coming today.”

 

Jake turned to her, a half smile on his lips.

 

”That’s good, does it make you feel better?”

 

”Yeah, he wants to be able to visit his parents now and then though and I agreed. He can’t go alone though.”

 

Jake considered, “I think if any of us need to leave the house we should always go in a group.”

 

Manon nodded, she’d thought the same. 

“At the very least we go in pairs, it’s less conspicuous. We can’t stay here all the time or we’ll never get anything done.”

 

Jake cracked his neck, she noticed she’d left a mark there and smirked slightly, secretly proud of herself. 

“Exactly. We’ll make it work. What about Daniel?” He asked and Manon sighed. 

“Im beginning to think we should go get him, I don’t like that he’s stuck there alone. But I’ll wait until I can talk to him before deciding.”

 

Jake hummed, “I was thinking the same, it would be too easy to get to him there.”

 

Manon only inclined her head, she’d message him at some point and get a feel for what he wanted, wanted Richy to see Jessy before he could arrive.

 

“What’s on the agenda today?” Jake ventured and Manon shrugged.

 

“It’s Sunday, there’s not much we can do really. What are you doing?” 

He rubbed his hand down her arm as he thought over her question, turning to face her before replying.

 

”I can continue with what you asked of me yesterday and I wanted to see Lilly today.”

 

Manon sat straighter, shock lighting her up.

 

“Really? Look at you, that was fast.” 

He smirked and snapped his teeth near her ear, making her giggle.

 

”I feel useless stuck up here, I think it would help everyone if I spoke to them.”

 

Manon raised a brow, she really did wonder if he could read her mind at times. 

“It’s funny you should mention that…”

 

She paused and chewed her lip, uncertainty settling in her when he turned sharp eyes to her.

 

”Cleo asked us to share what we have so far, she doesn’t trust us and that’s what it’ll take for her to do so. It won’t be today, don’t worry,” she laid a hand over his heart when he looked anxious, “I told her we  would once everyone is here, including Dan. So we have time to sort out what we can tell them. Because I don’t want to share it all.”

 

The tension bled out of him and he relaxed into her, nodding once.

 

”I suppose I should have expected that. I don’t like it but I agree it has to happen, we need to work together not against each other.”

 

She smiled, remembering her own words last night, ”Exactly. But I’m not willing to lay everything out, we should work out what we want to keep to ourselves.”

 

”Okay, I trust you. We can do that.” 


Manon practically glowed, that had gone easier than she’d expected. She blew out a breath and realised she wanted to spend more time just being with him so she decided to get him involved in one of her favourite past times.

 

”Hey Jake?” 

He chuckled, “What do you want, Manon?”

 

She sat up, scooting to the edge of the bed and stood. She walked over to her desk and picked up her MacBook, giddiness making her feel weightless. He eyed her curiously, throwing a disdainful look at the laptop as she settled back down and set it on her knees. 

“I’m not watching anymore Kardashians, Manon.” He said dryly and Manon laughed, noting the way his eyes lit up as she did.

 

”The next episode isn’t out till Thursday! You’re safe till then.”

 

He snorted fondly, shaking his head but gestured for her to explain.

 

”Have you ever watched Ghost Adventures?” She said slyly and his eyes narrowed in suspicion, sure this was a trick.

 

”I can’t say I have, what is it? A cartoon?” 


“Oh bless your heart!” Manon said and shook her head, astounded by his lack of reality TV knowledge. She decided to fix that, she was a connoisseur of all things trashy and he would learn today. 

“You are in for a treat. Though I must warn you, Zak Bagans is my one true love and you have a lot to live up to.” She said cheekily and wanted to cackle at the affronted look on his face.

 

“With a name like that I’m not worried. What is it about?”

 

Manon chuckled, “They investigate haunted locations and try to capture evidence. They’re very dramatic and you’ll enjoy their style. They all subscribe to Hot Topics newsletter too!”

 

He pinched her side and she edged away, pressing her lips together to keep from laughing as she searched through the episodes to find her favorites and queued them up. 

“You are about to witness the best thing to ever air on TV.”

 

She hit play and settled down beside him, laying her head on his chest as his arm slid around her waist to stroke down her side and when the dull tones of Zak’s voiceover filtered through the speakers, she couldn’t remember the last time she’d felt so happy. 

 

 

 

****

 

 

 

Manon was in the kitchen again, she'd gotten ready for the day and was now eagerly awaiting Richy's arrival. She'd cornered Jessy alone, the others had gone on a walk to clear their headaches but she'd convinced Jessy to stay by telling her she wanted to talk about Phil. Jessy had just finished telling her all she'd managed to find out so far, which amounted to absolutely nothing of substance but Manon was barely listening, Richy had messaged to say he'd be there by half-past 12 and it was now 12.25. She kept glancing at her phone, it didn't go unnoticed and Jessy finally asked what she was waiting for.

 

"Nothing, just keeping an eye on how long the others have been gone." She deflected and Jessy raised a brow.

 

"No, you're not, they’ve been gone 15 minutes. Is it Jake?" Her voice was tentative as if she wasn't sure she could bring him up.

 

"No, he's busy doing something, I'm just anxious about them being out of the house." Manon didn't believe herself but Jessy gave up and moved on, hazel eyes looking her over. 

 

"What is that on your neck?" She asked too innocently.

 

Manon glared at her, no heat behind it and Jessy laughed. "You know exactly what it is, what did I tell you last night?"

 

Jessy snorted, "Uhm, lock the door? I remember that part." Manon only stared at her.

 

"Oh! Yes, "mind your business", sorry, must've slipped my mind." She teased and Manon couldn't help but smile.

 

"It still stands." Manon said but she didn't really mean it and knew Jessy would only tease her, she wasn't cruel.

 

"Sooo..." Jessy tilted her head, examining Manon from across the island, "He's a biter? You know you can train them not to do that?"

 

Her tone was deadly serious, drawing a real laugh from Manon and Jessy grinned back, no judgment in her eyes.

 

"I'd prefer not to, thank you. I bite back." Manon winked and Jessy giggled, nodding her agreement.

 

"Oh, I like you, you get it." Jessy said, smiling widely and Manon returned it, glad that the easy friendship they'd had online seemed to translate to real life.

 

Manon heard a car door slam, her heart leaping as her phone lit up and she read Richy's message. Manon tried to act casual as Jessy turned back to her with a questioning look when he knocked on the door.

 

"Could you get that? I have to speak to Jake about something real quick." 

 

"It's your house." Jessy shot at her back as Manon walked away and ran up the stairs., telling her it was fine. Jessy heaved a sigh and walked to the door.

 

Manon stopped on the second floor to listen as the door opened and heard Jessy’s  shocked gasp.

 

"Richy! what - wait a second please - Manon! You knew it was him!"  She roared up the stairs and Manon cackled.

 

"Have fun you two!" She yelled back and ran up the stairs to her room.

 

She was out of breath with excitement , not paying attention as she bolted in the door and ran right into a startled Jake who'd been coming to see what the racket was. His hand wrapped around her arm a second before she hit the ground, hauling her up and at seeing she was laughing, the worry in his eyes faded to exasperation. 

 

"What the hell are you up-to now?" He asked, amusement clear in the set of his mouth and she shook her head, pulling out of his grip to throw herself down on the bed. He stood over her, arms crossed and waited for an explanation. 

 

"Richy's here. I didn’t tell Jessy he was coming and made her answer the door. It was a whole thing." She felt like a kid on Christmas morning. 

 

Jake gave her that half smile and cocked his head. "Why was that necessary?" 

 

"Oh, it wasn't. I just really wanted to do it. They would’ve circled each other for days if I hadn't. Richy wouldn't want to push her but Jessy told me she was dying to talk to him, so I solved the problem."

 

Jake snorted, "You have no shame... do you want to listen in?" He smirked and she playfully narrowed her eyes at him, wanting to poke at him.

 

"You finally did it? Wow, I'd say well done but you took too long, he's already here." She somehow kept her face blank as he glared at her, the soft look in his eye ruined the effect of it.

 

"You're impossible to please." He said and she smiled slowly, rising in a sinuous motion to step into his space.

 

"Liar." She hissed and pushed up on her toes, sliding her hands up his chest to rest on his shoulders as her voice turned low and seductive, "You know exactly how to please me, don't sell yourself short, Jake."

 

He seemed to hold his breath, eyes glazing over as she breathed down his neck and was rewarded with a hand on the back of her head, tugging her nose to nose with him.

 

"You're playing a dangerous game, Manon." He ground out and she smiled.

 

"They're the best kind." She threw back and he chuckled darkly, brushing his lips across hers once. 



Manon tried to mentally calculate how much time they had before everyone came back, her sensible side shouting too loudly for once and telling her to save it for later. She sighed, tightening her grip on his shoulders and kissed him soundly, pulling away before it could turn into anything. Jake reluctantly let her go and she put some space between them, going over to her desk. She'd just sat down when her phone buzzed in her pocket, Jake took his own seat ahead of her and began typing. She unlocked the phone and saw it was Steve, disappointment that he hadn't called creeping under her skin but not for long.



Steve: Mani, what is the point of you having that phone if it's never on?

 

Manon cringed at the old nickname, only two people had called her that and it still made her feel like a child.



Manon: I forgot to charge it! You can call this number you know...



Steve: It doesn't matter. We can't discuss this over the phone anyway. I'm coming to your town, Duskwood, right?



She froze, thumbs hovering over the screen and her mind whirring too quickly to keep up with it. Jake stopped typing as though sensing something was wrong, she saw he was watching a bunch of lights moving over a map but didn't have time to think on it. She pulled herself together and sent her flustered reply.



Manon: What. The. Fuck. Why? Is something wrong?



Steve: No, the opposite but it's sensitive, the Director himself told me to meet with you instead.



A menacing sound slipped from Manon and Jake gave up on all pretense of working, she ignored him. The slimy feeling of being blind-sided making her furious and snappish.



Manon: I can't fucking believe him, did he tell you why?



Steve: Yes, but I cant tell you that until I see you. Sorry Mani, I know you wanted time to settle in but he's insistent on this.



Manon: Oh, I bet he is. Fine, when will you get here?



Steve: Tuesday, I'm going home first and flying out tomorrow night. I can't stay long though, I'll be gone by Thursday.



Manon: Why?



Steve: That case I'm on, it's a bad one and they need me back as soon as possible.



Manon drew in a breath and held it, pushing aside her anger and trying to focus on the fact she was going to see her best friend again. Steve was typing and she held back a groan when she read it.



Stephen: And the Director wants your answer as soon as you give it.



Manon: And he knows if he sends anyone else I'll send them back with a broken nose.



Steve: Exactly ;) It's good news I think. I have to go, they're announcing my flight now. I'll call you when I land in Colville.

 

Manon set the phone on her desk, a slight tremor in her hand as she did and tried to ignore the headache throbbing at her temples, the silence in the room seemed deafening.



“Are you okay? Is something wrong?” Jake's low voice was urgent and she fought the urge to hide from him.



She shook her head “No, my friend is coming. I'm fine, just a bit shocked.” She tried to laugh it off but it was strained and when she glanced at him, he was frowning in concern.



“You look like you've seen a ghost, Manon.” There was an edge to his voice, she felt defensive at the sound of it.



“I'm fine.”



Jake scoffed and she avoided his disbelieving eyes, opening her laptop instead. She'd barely typed in her password when he appeared beside her and crouched to see her face, she hadn't seen him move. She went still and bravely met his eye.



“You're not fine, seeing a friend doesn't usually upset people.”



He reached for her hand and she let him, threading her fingers through his to warm hers. She suddenly felt very tired, truth was she hadn't seen Steve in a very long time and the last time she had, she'd been a mess. She'd been at her lowest then, living in a house full of ghosts, barely able to exist or breathe. They'd kept in touch obviously, he refused to let her fall away but they'd forged new lives and she had needed to do it alone, she didn't know if he would fit in her new one. Or if what he had to tell her would shatter her fragile hold and force her to begin anew, Jake only watched her with kind eyes. She sighed heavily, shoulders slumping and let all of that drain out of her.

 

“I haven't seen him in a while and I spent a long time piecing myself back together. He’s just... a living reminder of everything and I can't plan for how I'll feel when I see him.” 


Jake squeezed her hand three times and she looked at him quizzically but he didn’t explain, only looked at her with understanding eyes. She watched as he came to some decision before standing, pulling her with him and she stumbled after him, confusion keeping her quiet until he opened the door.

 

"Where are you going? They'll see you!"

 

"I don't care."

 

He kept walking, broad shoulders blocking her view as they went downstairs, and he didn't stop until they made it to the bottom, only then did he turn to her.

 

 

"The others have gone that way," he pointed to the left, "We will go the other way, get your jacket, I'll wait on the porch." 

 

Manon gawked up at him, not sure where he was going with this but willing to go along with it for now. She went into the living room and grabbed her jacket, throwing it on along with her shoes, she hadn't even realised Jake had his on. She couldn't hear Jessy or Richy so she assumed they'd found somewhere private to talk. Manon hurried to the front door and walked outside, searching for Jake and found him leaning casually against the railing, immediately coming to her once she closed the door. 

 

"Let's go." She raised a brow but took the hand he offered.

 

"Where? It's too late to get rid of me, they will notice if I disappear too." She joked and he chuckled, pulling her closer.

 

"I needed out of that room and so do you." He said simply and she stopped worrying about the end goal, choosing to enjoy the strange normality of walking hand in hand with him.

 

They walked for a while, the ground sloping gently upward and the forest actually looked pretty under the light of the afternoon sun. Jake seemed to relax as they walked, the sunlight ghosting over his face turning his skin to honey and she smiled, feeling calm again. The ground eventually levelled out and she looked around in wonder, the view quite spectacular from above. She felt a tug on her hand and saw Jake watching her with a soft smile, he jerked his head and silently asked her to follow him. Manon didn't know what to make of the bench he led her to, it seemed so out of place to her but she sat down anyway and Jake settled down against her, letting go of her hand to wrap his arm around her shoulder. She felt his eyes on her but kept staring at the never-ending sea of forest spread out below them, pulling the clean, pine scented air into her lungs and let it ease the lingering tension in her. They didn't speak for a while, her mind blessedly blank as she enjoyed both the suns and Jake's attention but she could never keep quiet for long.

 

"It's beautiful here, how did you know about it?" She finally looked at him, the sun turning his eyes the color of pure water.

 

"It was mentioned in the reviews guests left on the previous owner's Facebook page." 

 

She shook her head, "I should've known, I was told they would take that down."

 

Jake chuckled, "They did but not before I found it."

 

Manon kicked her feet and smiled at him, "So that's what you've been up to! Here I thought you were plotting world domination."

 

"No, just yours." He returned provocatively and she laughed loudly, not expecting it.

 

"Well then, consider yourself halfway there." 

 

"Only halfway?" He lowered his head and the satisfied smirk he wore did funny things to her insides.

 

"Don't get cocky, I can't let you win that easily." She loved when he played along but felt weirdly like she'd issued a challenge he was only too happy to solve.

 

"I see, I'll have to work harder then." His words were full of dark promise and her body reacted to it, the desire that never truly went away opening an eye.

 

He kissed her lightly on the cheek before pulling away again, eyes turning serious before he faced the view she'd been entranced by moments ago.

 

"Four years ago I lost everything. Almost overnight everything good in my life was taken from me and it took me a long time to recover." His words were quiet but strong and she went still, stunned he was offering a part of himself to her without her dragging it out of him.

 

"I'm still not where I was but it's gotten easier to exist with it and think past it. Ever since I met you..." he turned to look at her and her breath got stuck in her chest at the depth of emotion she found there.

 

He smiled affectionately as he gazed at her, "I don't want to just exist anymore. I'm tired of running and just surviving. I want to live, no matter how hard it'll be."

 

She wasn't sure how to reply to that without it sounding wholly inadequate but she didn't need to, he seemed to have no problem with words now.

 

"What I'm trying to say is, you make me want to do that with you and that means we have to work through the shit that got us here, I'm not pushing you. I just wanted you to know I understand and I'll be here when you're ready."

 

Her heart had grown wings as he'd spoken, every word dropping into her chest and resonating deep within her, her throat felt thick as she replied.

 

"How far are you willing to go to make that happen?"

 

Resolute eyes swung to hers, "As far as I have to." He swore and she felt the truth of it wash over her. 

 

She nodded, "Good because we might have to sign a deal with the devil."

 

"Is that why your friend is coming?" He didn't sound upset, only determined.

 

"Yeah, but I can't tell you until I know exactly what they're asking of me. I made a lot of demands, I'm expecting a few in return."

 

Jake gave a sly smile, "I'm not surprised. You're a demanding little thing." 

 

She laughed and agreed, "Only when it matters and this is too important." 

 

His smile never faded, "Come to me once you know and we can discuss it. Don't shut me out, Manon."

 

"I won't."

 

And she meant it, some of the weight she'd been carrying floated away, her spirits buoyed and reassured he wasn't going to run when it got too hard. Jake didn't reply as he tightened his hold on her, his hand found its way under her chin and tilted her head to kiss her. She would never get used to the taste of his lips, or how he felt under her hands. She could have done all of this without him, it would've been easier but she was tired of choosing the easy way and for once she wanted something for herself. His hand slid into her loose hair and she tilted her head to deepen the kiss, her fingers lacing around his neck at the slow glide of his tongue in her mouth. He made a small sound of frustration when they parted, the sun beginning to set reminding them where they were and they wanted to get back before darkness fell. 

 

They got up and together, they began the long walk back home.

 

 

 

****

 

 

The house had just come into view, twilight having fallen as they made their way back down when Jake jerked her to a stop, she turned questioning eyes to him and he smiled, reaching out to tuck her hair behind her ear.

 

"Can you do me a favor, Manon?" He asked, sounding unsure and she nodded, finding it endearing.

 

"Can you get Lilly for me? Distract the others for me when she comes back in? I don't think I'll feel up to meeting them after seeing her."

 

Manon grinned, wishing she could be there to witness it but knowing he would clam up if she was there.

 

"Consider it done, I'm excellent at distractions!" She joked to take away the nervous look in his eyes, it worked a bit.

 

"You don't have to blow anything up to do it." He threw back and she sighed, feigning disappointment.

 

"Fine. But next time you don't get a say!" 

 

He laughed, head shaking as she walked away. She felt him watch her all the way until the door closed behind her, following the voices until she found them all in the kitchen making dinner, they all shouted hello when they noticed her.  She smiled and eyed the state of her kitchen, Cleo was taking something out of the oven while Jessy and Richy both threw secret smiles at each other, their talk must've gone well. She searched for Lilly, found her perched on the counter sipping a bottle of water and watching her. Manon jerked her head for her to follow and walked back out, leading her to the door. Lilly came up beside her and she turned to face her.

 

"Jake wants to see you, he's outside." 

 

Lilly's face lit up and she grabbed for the door, Manon got out of her way and silently wished them luck. She headed back into the kitchen and tried to stop worrying about them, her mind too busy going over every possible scenario to truly enjoy herself. She only got away with it because the others had paired up, Thomas with Cleo and Richy with Jessy. They barely paid her attention and she was glad of it, she barely noticed what she was eating but it tasted good. She’d forgone wine in case it made her anxiety worse, they’d been out there a while now and she was dying to know what was being said. 

 

She checked her email, her lawyer never replied on weekends so she wasn’t surprised to find it empty. She still hadn’t checked her work email and it niggled at her, she’d have to make time tomorrow before it got out of hand. Depending on what Steve brought her, she might have to clear it out and close it down. The thought didn’t annoy her as much as she’d thought it would. 



Her friends were chatting amongst themselves, just enjoying being able to chill and not worry about anything other than what to watch later, when Manons phone buzzed. She read Jakes message and smirked. 

Jake: She’s coming back in. You good?

 

Manon: Very good ;)

 

Manon connected her phone to the myriad of speakers around the ground floor, turning the volume up to ear splitting levels and found the song she needed and hit play. She ignored the urge to stick her fingers in her ears as Taylor Swifts … ready for it thudded through the house. The bass of it shaking the walls and making her laugh as everyone else shouted in shock, she was unable to hear what was said. They all looked to her and she shrugged, acting like she had no clue until Lilly walked in and gave her a nod, the bright look in her eyes telling her it must have gone well. She fumbled for her phone, acting like she was clumsy and switched it off.

 

”I’m so sorry, I forgot they were still on!” 


She choked down a laugh as they all shook their heads at her, Lilly ducking her head to hide her smile as she settled down. Nobody thought to question her absence, they were too busy complaining about Manon’s terrible choice of dinner music. She chuckled and got up to grab another plate of food, grabbing bottles of water too. Manon left them to their evening and headed upstairs, exhausted at the long day and she just wanted to be alone, thankfully they never said anything. They deserved some time to just be together, she didn’t know how much longer they’d have before things got out of hand. 


Manon walked into the bedroom and found it empty, frowning until she heard the sound of the shower running. She set his dinner and water on his nightstand, deciding to change the sheets while he was busy. Cursing under her breath as she worked, stripping and changing a King bed should be considered an extreme sport when the one doing it was under 5”3. She was almost out breath as she finished, on her knees in the middle of it as she fluffed the pillows and set them down, not seeing Jake until he came into her peripheral vision.

 

“Jesus Christ, Jake! I’m buying you a bell!” 

He smirked down at her, a towel slung dangerously low on his hips and she followed the drop of water that slid down his bare chest until it disappeared under it. Smiling slowly as she met his eye, wishing she’d joined him instead of making the damn bed. He looked okay, not upset at least and she was dying to know how it went but he sat down on the edge to rub at his hair with another towel. She watched the delicious play of muscle under the smooth skin of his back as he worked, every inch of him too pretty by far. He turned and caught her staring but she was shameless, winking at him when he chuckled.

 

”Soooo… how did go?” She couldn’t wait any longer, leashing her out of control libido for now.

 

”You lasted longer than I thought you would.” He replied, she heard the smile in his voice and relaxed.

 

”Yeah, yeah I’m impatient, you already know and enjoy this. Get on with it or I’ll thump you.” 

The threat was empty and he knew it, laughing as he faced her. 

“It went fine. A bit weird but fine.” His eyes twinkled with mirth, he knew that answer would drive her crazy but she wouldn’t give him the satisfaction.


“Oh, I see.” She nodded seriously, pretending she wasn’t bothered. There was suspicion in his eyes when he spoke.

 

”What do you see?” 

She gave him a feral grin, crawling closer until she was in his face. 


“Can you only speak to me when you’re fucking me? Do you have to be buried inside me for that mouth to work?” She all but purred, his eyes darkened at her bold words. She dropped his gaze to glance at his lap, he covered himself with a hand and she couldn't help the laugh that spilled from her. She knew what she’d said wasn’t really true but her words had the desired effect. He reached out and gripped her chin.

 

“Of course not, Manon. You’re just so beautifully responsive when I’m “buried inside you” it’s hard not to talk to you.” He reacted so beautifully she fought hard not to giggle, ignoring the heat flaring low in her stomach at the tenor of his voice. 

“Hmm, you can do better than that, Jake.” She taunted and watched his eyes flare, oh she loved to provoke him. She always enjoyed the results. 

He let her go but didn’t back off. 

“If you must know, it was awkward at first but she did most of the talking. I answered what I could and she seemed happy. I don’t have all the answers for her though so I couldn’t help with many of her questions.”

 

”I bet that pissed you off, you so enjoy knowing it all.” She teased and he playfully rolled his eyes. 

“I do. But so do you.” He countered and she laughed.

 

”We’re well matched then.” 

He was staring at her mouth, she licked her bottom lip and held back a grin when he followed the movement. She loved many things but mostly she loved how simple things were when they were alone, just two people with the same hunger. He finally met her eye.

 

”We are, are you happy now?”

 

”Oh, incredibly so!” She sat back to keep from attacking him and pointed to the plate on his nightstand.

 

”You better eat, I’m sure you’re hungry.” There was an undertone to her words that he caught onto right away, delighting her when he played along.

 

”I am.” He looked her over, the feel of his stare like a caress and she wanted to give into it but he hadn’t eaten anything since this morning.

 

”After, eat first. You’ll need your strength.” 

 

Manon got up and tried to edge past him, aiming for the bathroom so she could wash up and change out of her clothes, he caught her belt loop and dragged her back. She landed in his lap and didn’t have a chance to do anything before his mouth was on hers. 

 

She forgot why she wanted to wait when he demanded entry into her mouth, moaning as he swept inside and the hand on her hip gripped her mean. His other hand buried in her hair and tugged it lightly, she arched her back, ass pressing against his hard length in reaction. He tasted like mint and something uniquely him, it was addictive. She looped her hands around his neck and waist, fingers sifting through his damp hair, the silken softness of it so as odds with the harsh rub of his beard on her face. His hand flexed on her hip before trailing over her stomach, anticipation holding her in its thrall, his mouth pressed harder like he was trying to possess her. She fought fire with fire, sinking her teeth into his bottom lip when he withdrew and smiling when he groaned, the hand in her hair dragged her away from his lips so he could mouth at her neck. His hand slipped lower and cupped her possessively over her leggings, his opal eyes on her face observing her every reaction. He drew her back to his lips and removed his hand from her, his kiss changing to something sweeter before he pulled back. 

 

There was a mischievous look in his eye and she should've seen it coming when he lifted her off him and set her on her feet. He let go of her with a smirk and she turned to leave, he gave her a sharp tap on her ass as she walked away. She chuckled and cursed him under her breath, she'd deserved that for riling him up but now she was frustrated. She locked herself in the bathroom, deciding to take a very long time shaving and apply a hair treatment, knowing he'd be waiting for her to finish what he started.

 

Two can play at this game, Jake.

Notes:

Thank you for reading! Please let me know if you enjoyed it. Chapter 9 might take a little longer because I have a lot planned for it.

Chapter 9: I am an architect I’m drawing up the plans, he’s so obsessed with me and boy I understand!

Summary:

Jake comes to a decision and it makes Manon anxious. Cleo is on top form, new tensions arise and tempers flare. A trip to the grocery store provides some normalcy and a missed call annoys Jake.

Notes:

Sorry this is late! I started watching Stranger Things this week and couldn’t stop until I finished it, so good! I hope it’s worth the wait and I really enjoyed writing the dialogue between two characters, hopefully the humour translates.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

He knows

 

 

 

 

Wanna see what's under that attitude

Like, I want you

Bless my soul!

And I ain't gotta tell him

I think he knows

 

Lyrical smile

Indigo eyes

Hand on my thigh

We can follow the sparks

I'll drive

 

So where we gonna go?”

I whisper in the dark

Where we gonna go?”

 

I think he knows

 

 

I Think He Knows – Taylor Swift

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Manon was a ball of nerves. Every nerve and vein in her seemed twisted up and tied, her eyes kept darting to the door every two seconds. She was in the kitchen, with Jake. That in itself wasn’t the issue, it was the fact Jake had decided to just be there when everyone came down. He’d said to her when she’d got out of the shower that it was time and she hadn’t been able to focus on anything but their possible reactions since. He was behind her making French toast and she was supposed to be slicing strawberry’s. Only luck kept her from adding some extra protein in the form of her fingertips.

 

 

Jake was whistling along to whatever song was playing, honestly she hadn’t even thought about it this time, just hit play and hoped for the best. He kept turning to kiss her neck, her cheek or tap her on the ass but she barely felt it. Anxiety crawled up her throat and kept her from enjoying him and she was pissed about that. She wasn’t sure why it mattered so much, he didn’t seem that bothered but then he could wear that impassive mask too easily. He seemed able to simply come to a decision and just stop worrying about it. It was bizarre. Meanwhile she had planned three monologues, five different scenarios and over 13 comebacks for any taunt thrown his way. She felt like a rabid guard dog pulling at its chain, desperately protecting its territory. She might as well piss on his leg and call it a day. 

 

 

She reached for another strawberry and her fingertips only felt air, she glanced down to see she’d cut them all up. She clutched the knife, now her hands weren’t occupied she felt even worse, why was she so anxious? They wouldn’t attack him and she knew that, but still she wanted to hide him. She hadn’t realised how long she’d stood there, staring at her hands and palming the knife as though she aimed to use it on someone until Jake came up behind her. He slid his arms around her waist and spoke into her ear.

 

 

“What’s wrong, Manon?”

 

 

His hand moved to her wrist, then over the fist clutching the blade and gently pried it out of her fingers. 

 

 

“Let’s put the weapons away, Hmm” he murmured and kissed her temple. 

 

 

She loosed a breath and screamed at her body to relax into the heat of him behind her. 

 

 

“Sorry, I got caught up there.” She cleared her throat and shook her head, forcing a smile to her lips. 

 

 

“No kidding.” He chuckled and she leaned her head back on his chest, closing her eyes at the sound of his steady heartbeat and let it calm her own. 

 

 

“I just - I don’t - ugh!” She actually stomped her foot and Jake snorted, clearly amused by her inability to speak. 

 

He nosed her hair away from her face and planted his lips on her cheek, pulling back to whisper. 

 

 

“I’ll be fine, Manon. If it comes to a fight, I can hold my own…”

 

 

His tone was teasing and Manon turned to smack his chest but he gave a throaty laugh, the sound making her own lips tug up in answer. 

 

 

“I'm not completely helpless you know.”

 

 

There was a an undercurrent to his words, like he’d had to prove he could fight in the past and she was so curious she felt like she’d burst. He noticed the gleam in her eye and chuckled. 

 

 

“Let’s just say there have been a few close calls where I had no choice but to fight my way out. I’m here. They’re not.”

 

 

She cocked a brow, smiling for real this time. Pressing against him and pushing up on her toes to brush her lips over his. 

 

 

“Now I’m picturing you with your knuckles bloodied and men lying unconscious at your feet, it’s glorious.”

 

 

“You’re twisted.” He laughed and she nodded.

 

 

“Obviously. If you tell me you can kill a man with nothing but a pencil I might simply expire.” She said with a dramatic swooning sigh.

 

 

He smirked and rolled his eyes. 

 

“Sadly not, but I’m willing to learn.”

 

 

“Best not. You’d never get anything done.” She winked and tugged at his bottom lip with her teeth before stepping back. Trying to ignore the electricity that flared bright whenever they were near each other, it reminded her of how it felt before a storm. That charged, heavy air that seemed to press down on you, stealing your breath and lifting the hair on the back of your neck. That sense of urgency and knowing that something big was coming. It was hard to push it away, intoxicating and addictive. It seemed to strengthen day by day instead of fade and it left her restless, he felt it too she could tell by the way he mirrored her movements. He’d lean in when she leaned back and she’d do the same. Thankfully his distraction had worked because when Jessy walked in Manon only noticed her when she let out a surprised “Oh!”.

 

 

“Morning Jess, how are you?” Manon smiled.

 

Jessys eyes were stuck to Jake who’d turned back to the stove, when her hazel eyes met Manons she mouthed “well done” and a wild giggle bubbled up her throat. She pushed it down and shook her head.

 

 

“I’m good, you? I’m guessing this is the elusive Jake I’ve heard sooo much about?”

 

 

Manon narrowed her eyes, she’d put too much emphasis on that last part and by the way she avoided Manon’s eyes she knew it. She didn’t dare look at Jake when he replied. 

 

 

“That would be me. What exactly has she said about me?“

 

 

Manon screamed at Jessy with her eyes, trying to telepathically ask her what the hell she thought she was doing. She’d barely spoken about Jake to her. Jessy gave her a sickly sweet smile and ignored her. 

 

 

“Oh, nothing too scandalous. Yet.” Her words held the promise to torture the details out of Manon later and Manon inwardly groaned. Jessy winked at Manon and took a seat across from her. Jake chuckled quietly and went back to what he was doing. 

 

 

“So! Whatcha making?” Jessy said far too cheerily and Manon knew she was enjoying making her squirm. 

 

 

“French toast. You good with that, Jessica?” Jake asked and Manon cringed when Jessy glared at his back. 

 

 

“Let’s get one thing straight. It’s Jessy! Only my mother calls me Jessica and we don’t talk anymore. Understand?” She didn’t say it nastily, just exasperated and Manon tensed, unsure whether to laugh or reprimand her.

 

 

“I apologise, Jessy. I didn’t think I knew you well enough to use a nickname, I meant no harm.”

 

 

Manon hid a smile, looking at the cutting board before glancing back at Jessy who looked appeased and quite impressed. Again she mouthed “Well done” and Manon said under her breath “why do you keep saying that?” 

 

 

“Just - well done. Great catch. Good fishing.”

 

 

Manon couldn’t stop the stupid giggle that escaped, Jessy joining in and Jake ignored them, having sensed he wouldn’t get an answer from either of them right now. Thomas, Lilly and Richy walked in then effectively spoiling their girlish moment and Manon pretended not to notice the way Richy’s eyes lit up when he spotted Jessy. He noticed her a moment later and his brows went up in shock. 

 

 

“Hi Richy, not what you imagined?” She beat him to it and he laughed. 

 

 

“I pictured you as a redhead or a brunette to be honest.” He admitted with a chuckle.

 

 

“If you’d met me 10 years ago I would have been a brunette.” She felt jakes attention then and wondered why he was shocked, he’d argued with her about getting her hair done. 

 

 

Richys gaze kept bouncing between her, Jessy and Jakes back, he’d gone tense when they’d walked in she noticed. She moved to lean against the counter beside the stove, facing the group but she could watch Jake from the corner of her eye. His face was carefully blank and he took his time plating the last of the toast. Thankfully they quickly began talking amongst themselves, Jessy probably filling them in on who he was, so she could gently question him.

 

 

“You okay?” 

 

 

Bright blue eyes shot to hers and she went still at the worry in them. 

 

 

“Yeah, just realising this is more people than I’ve been around in 4 years. I just - I’ll be fine.”

 

 

She felt her own anxiety drain out of her in the face of his, somehow someone else being worse than her made her able to push it away. 

 

 

“Okay, remember that safe word we talked about?” She smirked and he looked at her with amused eyes. 

 

 

“Do I even want to know what you came up with?” He whispered and she winked. 

 

 

“You have such little faith in me. It’s nothing awful, well, not that bad.”

 

 

He gave that low chuckle, the one that was more like a growl it was so deep and she couldn’t stop the warm flush that spread over her skin at the sound of it. 

 

 

“Tell me.” He gave in and she eyed the group as they grabbed their plates and left to go into the dining area.

 

 

“Beetlejuice” She said with a grin and he frowned in confusion. 

 

 

“Why Beetlejuice?” 

 

 

“I always had this weird thing for him,” she laughed at the look on his face and continued, “Plus I highly doubt we’ll be talking about him. You can only say it twice though, so use it wisely!” He looked confused for a moment before it hit him and the laugh she got for her stupid joke made her feel weightless. 

 

 

She patted his ass and grabbed her plate, dancing around him when he grabbed for her and followed her friends. Cleo had come down at some point and Jessy had brought her a plate. All at once they looked to her then their eyes rose above her head and stuck there and she knew Jake was behind her. She took her seat at the head of the table and he sat to her right beside Jessy. Manon ignored the sudden tension and poured syrup over her French toast, stuffing a huge bite into her mouth to keep from laughing. She had the worst tendency to laugh in tense situations and it wouldn’t help them here. Jake seemed able to ignore it and followed her lead, it was Cleo that broke. 

 

 

 “I’ll do the talking then, is this Jake?” 

 

 

Manon gave a single nod, taking her time swallowing and set down her fork. 

 

 

“Yes, Jake, meet Cleo, Jessy, Thomas, Lilly and Richy! All of you, meet Jake!” False cheerfulness radiated in her tone and she hoped nobody noticed it, Jake did but she ignored his questioning eyes.

 

 

She’d only named Lilly because she knew the group wasn’t aware they’d already met, it seemed the best way to keep that quiet though she felt ridiculous doing it. There were a few mumbled hellos and Jake looked around them all with a slight smile, nerves making his shoulders tight. 

 

 

“And why is he here now? I thought you were keeping him hidden until the big reveal? Or did you decide to do that now?” Cleo poked, eyes alight with excitement and Manon shook her head, clasping her hands as she looked longingly at her breakfast. 

 

 

“No. Not until Dan gets here. Jake wanted to meet you all before that though.” 

 

 

She kicked him under the table, he had to speak or she’d end up looking like a twat. He jolted and threw her a glare, she smiled sweetly at him, ignoring everyone watching her. 

 

 

“I’m not used to being around so many people, I thought it would be better to meet you beforehand so I could get used to it.”



He gave a self deprecating shrug and Manon reached under the table to lay her hand on his thigh, he immediately grabbed hold of it and squeezed. She counted each one, three again. What did that mean? She didn’t get a chance to ponder it because Cleo was on top form. 

 

 

“Oh yeah, you’ve been in “hiding” haven’t you?” Manons free hand reached for her knife, needing something to hold that wasn’t attached to Jake and feeling strangely like she needed a weapon. 

 

 

“I have.” Jake said simply, no explanation and Cleo narrowed her eyes at him.

 

 

“Will you tell us why? Or do you want to keep making yourself the most likely culprit? Because right now you’re the only one that makes no sense, well, Manon too but I trust her more than I do you.”

 

 

Manon bit back a snarl and looked at Lilly, she looked furious. Jake surprised her though, stilling any response she might’ve made. 

 

 

“I found something that the government never wanted anyone to know. So I released it. Since then I’ve been on the run.”

 

 

Cleo’s brows had risen almost into her hairline but it was Thomas who spoke next. 

 

 

“How do you know Hannah? How could you know she was in trouble so quickly if you weren’t with her?” 

 

 

“Nope. Not happening. This is not an interrogation, save it for later!” Manon slammed her hand on the table, the knife held tightly in her palm and they all stared at it nervously. 

 

 

“You can ask those questions another time.” She crooned, a note of violence in her voice.

 

 

Thomas sat back and grudgingly nodded, the others followed suit. Jake surprised her though, her attention going straight to him as he spoke.

 

 

“It’s okay, Manon. I understand their distrust.” He sighed, looking into her eyes as though addressing only her as he continued, “I knew Hannah because we were close years ago. I never met her, we spoke through emails mostly. A few weeks ago I got an email from her asking for my help, I didn’t see it right away because I haven’t used that email in a long time. When I did, I called her and she seemed relieved to see me. But before she could tell me what was wrong, she was attacked and I immediately got you lot together. When she sent Manons number, I contacted her too and set this whole thing in motion.”

 

 

Manon kept her face blank, she’d figured it had been something like that but she was annoyed he hadn’t told her sooner. It seeped under her skin, the irrational need to know before everyone else considering who she thought he was to her. But she knew it was irrational, after all she still hadn’t told him anything other than the barest details. The annoyance was directed not just at Jake, but herself too. She felt his eyes on her and forced a smile to her lips, it felt brittle though. She tuned back into the conversation and resumed eating, struggling one handed but determined. 

 

 

“So let me get this straight. You saw it? Did you see who did it?” Thomas asked urgently. 

 

 

“Sadly not. Whoever it was managed to stay out of view of her camera.” 

 

 

“Do you think they could’ve seen you?” Lilly spoke quietly, as though unsure whether to draw attention to herself and Manon felt awful for the secret she had to hide. 

 

 

“Definitely not. I was… masked up.”

 

 

Manon raised a brow, he was just as dramatic as she and the thought pushed some of her irritation away. 

 

 

“Masked up? What the fuck does that mean?” Jessy blurted and Manon snorted. 

 

 

Jake cleared his throat, “Whenever I have to  video call someone I wear a mask to hide my identity and use a voice changer. It’s to keep myself safe.”

 

 

Manon nodded, remembering those early calls and videos where he used the distortion.

 

 

“Doesn’t the kidnapper do the same thing?” Cleo pointed out and Manon felt something inside her snap, Jake squeezed her hand again trying to keep her calm but she was done. 

 

 

“For the last Goddamn time! He’s not the kidnapper. If anyone suggests he is again I will lose my fucking mind.” 

 

 

Her blood was up, the heat of it was warming her through and she glared at Cleo. The dark haired woman stared back for a long moment before sighing and nodding. 

 

 

“Fine.”  

 

 

Manon set down the knife, her hand trembled slightly and she clenched it tight enough her nails dug into her palm. Jakes thumb was stroking the back of her hand and she counted each one to calm her racing heart.

 

 

“He’s too tall to be the kidnapper.” Jessy said brightly and all eyes turned to her. 

 

 

“What do you mean?“ Richy asked, leaning closer to her and Jessy smiled slightly. 

 

 

“I mean, the guy that attacked me was strong, yes. But he wasn’t as tall as Jake. I’d take a guess that he’s around 5”10 and Jakes over 6 feet from what I can tell.”

 

 

Silence. Such complete silence that Manon swore she’d hear it if someone dropped a hairpin a mile away. 

 

 

“Are you sure Jessy?” She asked and Jessy nodded. 

 

 

“Yeah. I don’t remember much but… I’m sure.”

 

 

Thomas and Cleo seemed to deflate a little, the tension in Jakes body loosened in response. Manons mind was wheeling. She looked around them all, the open animosity seemed to have dissipated in the wake of Jessys words. Though she wasn’t naive enough to believe it wouldn’t appear again when Dan finally got here. 

 

 

“Well, that’s something at least. Do you remember anything else Jessy?” Manon had already asked her this but did again, sometimes time revealed the things you wanted to keep buried. 

 

 

Jessy shook her head, “No, sorry Manon.”

 

 

Manon smiled gently, “Don’t apologise.”

 

 

Jessy grinned, turning back to her food.

 

 

“So, Manon.” Richy began and Manon turned to him, that easy smile of his easing her tight muscles. 

 

 

“Yeah?”

 

 

“You know that thing we talked about?”

 

 

Manon nodded and he went on. 

 

 

“Is Thursday good? Any longer than that and I’d start to freak out.” He scratched the back of his neck self consciously as he chuckled. 

 

 

“Yeah, you’ll take someone with you though. Actually.” She shot a glance at Jake and he stared back as she mouthed “bracelet”, nodding his agreement. 

 

 

“Cleo would you go with him? Then afterwards you could both go to the pawnshop and find out who sold Jennifer’s bracelet? I’m sure you can flirt your way to that information.” She joked and Cleo’s eyes lit up.  

 

 

“I actually know the owner! He’s friends with my parents. I’m sure he’ll tell me.” She gave a slight smile and Manon was pleased, Thomas jumped in then. 

 

 

“I could go too, I’ve got the bracelet with me, maybe if we show it to him he’ll remember it better.” 

 

 

Manon inclined her head. “Three is better than two so have at it! Thank you.”

 

 

They all went back to eating and Manon finished as quickly as she could, she had to get out of this house for a bit. She stood when she was done and excused herself, heading to her room. 

 

 

Once inside she changed into leggings and a sports bra, was just pulling her sneakers on when Jake walked in. 

 

 

“You doing okay?” He crouched at her knees and started tying her laces, her hands fluttered uselessly for a moment before she reached up to tie her hair back.

 

 

“Yeah I just need to get out and run for a bit. How do you feel after… that?” She winced but he shrugged nonchalantly.

 

He set his hands over her knees when he was done, the heat of them seeping through the thin Lycra and she suddenly had a better idea to get her blood flowing. No, she cut the thought off, she had to get outside and shake off this energy. Those cobalt eyes pierced hers and held her in place. 

 

 

“It went better than I expected, I knew they’d be hostile. You didn’t stab anyone at least, you sure you’re okay?” 

 

 

Manon nodded, she was but her annoyance at Cleo was biting at her and making her feel a bit unhinged.

 

 

“Yeah, I have to get moving or I might actually end up stabbing someone.” 

 

 

“Do you want me to come with you? We did agree to not go out alone.” He offered and she couldn't help but smile at him, he was giving her a choice. She knew he wanted to demand he came with her but he was learning fast. Manon thought it over and nodded.

 

“Yeah, but don't expect me to talk. I'll be rage running to my rap playlist and that takes all my concentration.” She joked and he chuckled, Standing to get changed into sweats and T-shirt.

 

They were just getting ready to leave when her phone rang, Dan. Manon groaned and cursed his name under her breath, she was going to burn this damn thing if people wouldn't stop interrupting her. She put it on speaker-phone and Jake followed her when she sat on the bed.

 

“Yes, Jack Daniels?”

 

He choked on a laugh, his voice deeper than she'd imagined it would be.

 

“Well if it isn't Nancy Drew! Is your mother home? You sound like you’re about 14, Nonbon.”

 

“Nonbon?” she glared at the phone, Jake tried and failed to hide an amused smirk.

 

“Yes, like the sweet.” He said as if that explained everything.

 

“Okay then… What's up?”

 

“I need someone to come pick me up. I'm ready to join your little detectives club and crack this case.” He said breezily, Jake only frowned at her.

 

That was the last thing she’d expected him to say. “Oh really? Have they taken away your TV again?” 

 

“No, I broke it.” Manon sighed but he went on, “They're letting me out early for good behaviour.” He jested and Manon knew he was lying.

 

“That's odd, you've done nothing but complain about the lack of shaven nurses and bad food.”

 

“Well, its only the truth! Honestly, they're letting me go, I need to be picked up though.”

 

Manon decided to just go with it, it played into her plans anyway and saved them coming up with a way of getting him out.

 

“Fine, I'll come get you. Be waiting at the entrance, I'm not coming into the hospital.” She fought a shiver and tried not to imagine the clinically white corridors and bright lights. The smell that permeated every inch of every hospital was permanently branded into her nose, she never wanted to smell it for real again. 

 

Dan cleared his throat, sounding nervous and it made her intuition waken up. “Actually, I'm not there. I'll text you the street address.”

 

He hung up before she could demand answers and Jake made a noise of complaint.

 

“He's very odd, I don't believe they've actually discharged him.”

 

 

“Me neither. Let's go get the fool.”



She grabbed her jacket and they headed downstairs. 



 

***

 

 

 

 

Manon flew round a corner, engine snarling as she turned them onto the road that led to the street Dan had texted her. She was cackling wildly as Jake clung to the oh-shit handle, it was seeing more action than it ever had. Her one hand grip on the steering wheel definitely hadn't helped his anxiety when she swung them around a tight bend and finally screeched to a halt when she spotted Dan. Throwing him back in his seat with a thump. 

 

She put her window down, leaning out to yell at him.

 

“Get in bitch, we’re going to fuck shit up!”

 

Jake snorted behind her and she turned to wink at him, delighting in the roll of his eyes. Dan just threw her the middle finger and demanded she get out and help.

 

“I can’t get this in by myself.”

 

Confused, she frowned and looked around him, noticing the folded up wheelchair he’d tried to hide behind him. She saw then that he was leaning heavily against a lamppost and he looked like he was in pain. Her brows rose in shock as she sighed but she got out to help him. Jake stayed hidden in the safety of tinted windows since he had no mask to wear. 

 

“What the fuck is this Jack? Why didn’t you tell us?”

 

She kept her tone light and teasing but her mind was working furiously. First he wanted picked up away from the hospital, then he wanted to join their “club” and now he’s in a wheelchair. She didn’t know what to make of it.

 

“I can still fuck that mad man up, don’t you worry sweetheart! It’s just for looks.”

 

Rolling her eyes she decided to think on it later. She watched him walk painfully slowly to the car before she stowed the wheelchair in the trunk and made sure he was settled in the backseat before retaking her own. Jake eyed her warily as she belted herself in. The engine roared to life and she grinned when Jake grabbed the handle again before the car had even moved, Dan looked at him disdainfully until she put her foot down and shot down the road. Executing a mental u-turn to head back to town, the smell of burnt rubber coming through her open window. 

 

“Fuck sake! Slow down Sherlock, my mother likes me to make it home alive!” Dan groaned from behind her, making her giggle and wiggle her brows at him in the rear view mirror. 

 

 

“Get a grip, Daniels, you have lost the right to comment on other peoples driving. Anyway, I’m an excellent driver!” 

 

“If you were a crash test dummy you would be.” 

 

That came from Jake, he had such a dry sense of humour when he let himself out of his head. Manon feigned an obnoxiously loud gasp, turning to look at him as she fixed an offended look on her face. 

 

“How dare you! Are you alive? Do you have all your limbs? Yes you do, so shut the fuck up.” 

 

The man threw his head back and roared a laugh, head shaking and his hand tightened it's hold as she swerved for a cyclist. They were making good time, they’d be back within the hour at this rate, she noted happily and ignored the dark looks Dan was throwing at Jake behind her.

 

They’d turned onto the road into Duskwood when they got stuck behind a car going at a snails pace, making her grit her teeth since she couldn't get past them. They were the only two cars on this road and it was just her luck to get stuck behind some idiot determined to slow her down. They kept swerving and blocking her from overtaking, the third time it happened she lost it. She was yelling and pounding on the horn as she did. 

 

“Get out of the way! Learn to fucking drive! I have people to save and shit to do!” 

 

“Jesus, Mary and the little donkey. I’ve just survived one car crash Bonny, I don’t need another!” Dan shouted from behind her, she ignored him when the car ahead swung out again. 

 

“Fucking idiots, screw this.” 

 

She hit the brakes, everyone but her tossed like rag dolls as she changed tactics. Revving the engine she counted down from three under her breath, she saw Jake tense and grab the oh-shit handle with both hands from the corner of her eye. Dan groaned and took a deep inhale as though bracing himself. 

 

Manon stomped on the gas and they shot forward, quickly coming up on the slow car. Dan was muttering under his breath and she thought Jake had his eyes closed though she didn’t risk more than a glance. Pansies. She swerved to the left and the one in-front followed. At the last second she threw her weight to the right and pushed the pedal to the floor, streaking past the car in a storm of speed and her shouting obscenities at the couple trying to read a massive paper map. Who knew they still made those? 

 

She slowed somewhat as the forest swallowed them, the winding road was tighter here but she still drove like she was being chased. Her two passengers pale and sweating but she was having a great time, beaming every time they wheeled round corners. She decided to stop in at the grocery store while they were in town, shutting off the car when she pulled into a space near the door.

 

“Okay, I need to grab a few things. Do you have any requests, Jack?”

 

Dan had loosened his hold on the seat and only said, “So long as it isn't beige or mushy I don't care.”

  

 “I'll come with you, Manon.” Jake said quietly and she turned to him.

 

“What about -” She pointed to her face, looking at him meaningfully and he chuckled.

 

“Its fine.” Was all he said before he tugged his hood over his head and got out, she sat there stupidly for long enough that he made it to her side and opened the door for her, taking her hand once she was out. Dan shouted, “Don't mind me, I'll be fine!”making Manon laugh.

 

”Don’t worry, I’ve left the window down and there’s a bottle of water in the back seat!” She called over her shoulder, ignoring his indignant hollering as she walked away

 

Manon grabbed a cart and wheeled it through the automatic doors, eyeing Jake who was hidden quite well under that hood. His face was in shadow so she doubted anyone would be able to see him. It felt weird going shopping with him, like it was against some rule and she didn’t understand why. Her life, and his she supposed, had been strange for so long it felt absolutely bizarre to do normal everyday things. She hadn’t been in a store like this in almost two years, she couldn’t avoid people she knew in her small town so she got everything delivered instead. Here though, nobody knew her and she could just exist without worrying if anyone would mention her dad, giving her that smile people have when they pitied you. The thought of being unknown here put a skip in her step, Jakes hand settled on her lower back to guide her.



She wasn't paying much attention to what she was throwing in her cart, just making sure she had enough for everyone and plenty of choices. Jake was silent as he watched her flit from shelf to shelf like some demented fairy, stepping in when she couldn't reach the top shelf and they'd have another of those thrilling moments where he pressed up against her back, her mind racing ahead of time to when they could be alone again. The store was pretty empty, most people would be at work at this time on a Monday and it helped her pretend this was a normal day, a normal life in which nobody was out to kill everyone she cared about. A Taylor Swift song came over the radio and she was singing along as she tossed handfuls of chocolate bars and cookies into the cart, not realising she was doing it until Jake asked her what it was.

 

 “Invisible String, another Taylor song. One of my favorites actually.” She admitted and she glanced up to see him smiling softly.



“It's quite... lovely.” He said quietly and she grinned.



“I'll make a swiftie of you soon, just you wait!”



He laughed, his next words practically a whisper. “I wouldn't go that far but I like it when you sing them.”

 

 She blushed. Actually blushed and turned away to hide her pleased smile, he kept surprising her with his pretty words. They headed towards the drinks aisle and Manon wished she'd gotten two carts. By the time they got to the register Jake was hauling cases of beer and soda, looking too gorgeous while doing so. After they loaded it all onto the conveyor belt Jake broke the silence.



“Do you have enough to cover all this?” He was pulling out a grey leather wallet and she spied a few different credit cards, she idly wondered how many aliases he used.



“I'm good, don't worry about it.” She said simply, slipping her own credit card out of her phone case, his eyes widened when he saw the black card.



“Still, I'd like to help out. I'm not exactly struggling myself.” He had bent down to murmur in her ear so the person ahead of them wouldn't hear and the feel of his hot breath down her neck was delightful, she nodded in agreement.



“I figured as much, you can pay next time I go to the bookstore, you’ll have nothing left by the time we leave!” She said cheekily and he tugged on the end of her ponytail.



It took a while for the cashier to ring them up and the woman serving them kept up a steady stream of conversation about the goings on in town, asking if they were here on holiday and other random things Manon cheerfully answered with half truths or lies. They got back to the car and loaded everything in, Dan was pouting but she handed him a Coke and a bag of Cheetos which shut him up. Manon drove them home and tried to ignore the longing she felt for the days when grocery shopping together would be their real lives.







***









It was late in the evening now. Dan had received a warm welcome with many lectures about his drinking and driving, they'd had a sort of celebratory dinner for him getting out of hospital. He’d devoured everything put in front of him and loudly complimented Cleo on her cooking. He’d spent a good half hour dramatising the drive home and how he was certain Manon was trying to kill him, she only laughed at him while remembering how white his face had been. She was in the kitchen cleaning up when Cleo walked in and asked if she could have a word, Manons defenses went up like an iron shell around her skin.



“It's about Dan,” She said and Manon waited as she gathered her thoughts, she was wringing her hands which made Manon nervous.



“He didn't tell any of us he had to use a wheelchair, don't you think that's odd?”



Manon shrugged, “Well, its Dan. He is a bit weird.”



Cleo shook her head, “No it's not that, did he come out of the hospital in it?”

 

“Uhm, no.” Manon paused but decided to be open with her, “We didn't pick him up at the hospital, he was quite a bit away from it actually. I got the feeling he left without telling anyone.”



Cleo rolled her eyes, exasperated. “I knew it, he was being really evasive earlier when I asked him about it. Why hide it though?”



“I can't say for sure but I think he's very proud and hates to admit when he needs help.”



Cleo cocked her head, appraising her. “Why do you think that?”



“Because I'm the same way. But I think he also feels the need to be here and “protect” us” Manon chuckled and Cleo smiled.



“Silly fool, I'll keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't hurt himself. He's already asking for a drink.” She huffed a laugh and Manon joined in, the iron around her melting as Cleo looked at her with clear eyes.



“And I'll hide the car keys, but seriously I'll speak to him about it in a few days. Let him think we’ve just accepted his story for now.” Manon said slyly.



“Excellent, I'm glad we're all here now though. It feels… better here.” She sighed.



“Yeah, tomorrow we'll all sit down and have that talk. Jake is upstairs preparing  everything now.”



“Thank you, I know I was harsh with both of you but I had to be. Hannah is my best friend.”



“I get it, I would probably do the same thing. I hope after tomorrow we can put it all behind us.”



Cleo nodded and Manon tossed the last of the empty bottles into the recycling bin.



“Thank you for doing all of this Manon, its good to actually be able to sleep at night again.”



Before Manon could reply she left, going back to the others and leaving Manon alone in her clean kitchen. She yawned and glanced at the time on her phone, she'd barely looked at it since she got home and realised it was late enough to head upstairs. She checked her notifications as she walked into her bedroom and stopped dead at what she found.



Three missed calls and a text message from Alan Bloomgate, Duskwoods police chief. He wanted to speak with her and she had known this would happen eventually, she had planned to be the one to make first contact though. She found Jake at his desk still carefully organising everything they had so far and wordlessly showed him her screen, his eyes narrowed as he read the message.



“What the fuck? I didn't see this come through.” He muttered furiously and Manon felt apprehensive, this was new.



“How is that possible? You see everything.”



He grunted his agreement and turned to his computer, she was staring at the message wondering if she should just reply when he spoke.



“I've done a quick scan and it seems he's hiding himself from me, whatever encryption he's using is keeping me from seeing what he's sending you. Not bad, I must admit.”

 

Manon frowned, panic swirling low in her gut. “He knows about you, Jessy told us when Phil first got arrested.” 


Jake nodded solemnly. “Yes. We have to assume he knows I’m watching everything and has planned for that.”

 

She looked to the sky and groaned. 

“Fuck me gently, this isn’t good. What do you want to do?”

 

Jakes handsome face turned serious. 

“I think we should ignore it. Talking to him now will only put you in his line of suspects. We should continue as we were and act like this didn’t happen.”

 

Manon sighed, “Shouldn’t I just see what he wants? I think I can clear things up.”

 

Jakes reply was instant, “No. it’s bad enough he knows you’re involved, Manon. Just let me see if I can break through whatever he’s using to block me. We can figure it out from there.”

 

She wasn’t fully happy with that but she also wasn’t ready to speak to Alan, she wanted it to be on her terms not his and she couldn’t do that until Steve got here. She loosed a breath and nodded. 

“Fine. But I will have to speak to him soon, you know that right?”

 

He looked pained but inclined his head.

 

”I know. Give me some time first. I need to make sure it’ll be safe for you.”

 

Manon smiled, touched by his concern and willing to let it go for now. When she did talk to Alan she wanted to have all her cards up her sleeve and make sure he knew just how serious she was about it all.

“Okay. I’m going to have a shower and get into bed. It’s been a long day.” 

Jake chuckled and agreed. She kissed his cheek and strode for the bathroom, ignoring the weight of his eyes on her back until she closed the door. 



 

***

 




Manon had crawled into bed after braiding her damp hair, too lazy to dry it properly and had attempted to read a few pages of her book but had passed out quickly. Jake had been zoned out while he worked and she had wanted to wait for him but tiredness hit her so fast she barely managed to put her book down. She didn’t know how long she’d slept when she woke later as Jake slid in behind her, the heat of his body pressed against her and his arm settled over her waist. She hummed quietly and smiled when he pressed a kiss to her hair. 

“I didn’t mean to wake you.” He murmured lowly and she blinked her eyes clear, he’d switched off the lights at some point. Moonlight illuminated the room slightly through a gap in the curtain, turning everything to shades of silver and black. 

 

”I don’t mind.” 

 

He chuckled and the hand at her waist moved, fingers drawing gentle stars around her scars. She was instantly alert, had forgone any clothing before getting into bed, and was grateful for it now. Especially when she wriggled closer into the cradle of his hips and realized he too had nothing on. 

“I haven’t gotten through his security yet but I will.” There was no doubt in his tone and she felt none either, didn’t really want to talk about it right now when her mind was conjuring all the ways they could better spend their time. 

 

”Maybe you just need the right incentive.”

 

She grinned when his hand flattened over her hip and tugged her tighter against him, the rapidly hardening length at her ass sending a thrill through her. She closed her eyes when he kissed his way down her neck, his hips lightly grinding into her and his hand crawled up her body to cup her breast, sending a trail of sparks straight to her core. 

 

“My incentive is you, it’s always for you.” He whispered.

 

Gods, what could she say to that? Heat licked at her skin as he weighed her breast in his hand. His other arm found its way under her neck, palm facing up and she threaded her fingers through his. He handled her gently, fingers teasing over her hard nipple and ever so slightly pulling, just enough to excite her. Making her feel feverish and impatient, his thigh pushed between hers. He kept kissing her neck, the effect maddening and too arousing. She knew she was wet before his hand let go of her breast and travelled down, down, down. 

 

He didn’t tease her this time, fingers lazily dipping into her slick folds, his own need hot and heavy behind her, she shivered when he softly grazed her clit. She tried to let go of his hand to reach back and touch him but he held tighter, the thigh between her legs pressing harder. She lifted her leg and hooked it back over his to give him better access and he rewarded her with a sharp nip at her throat, her breath hitching in reaction. She felt him smile as she grew even slicker under his talented fingers, an ache quickly building low in her abdomen. Every touch felt too intense, the careless way he moved such a turn on she was already burning up. 

 

“I like seeing you like this.” He confessed, teeth tugging on her ear lobe. 


“You’re so beautiful when you fall apart.”

 

She wanted to tell him how beautiful he was too but her words were choked off when he sunk his finger into her. She moaned, tightening her grip on his hand, he squeezed back and made a pleased sound when he found her ready for him. He withdrew his hand but she bit back her complaint, moving her hips so she was positioned to feel the head of his cock against her folds as he lined himself up with her. In this position he could hold her while driving her to the edge of insanity, drag it out until she was a writhing mess in his arms. 

 

His hand returned to her abdomen, pushing her back on to him and he abruptly slid inside her, mouthing roughly at her neck to counter the exquisite pleasure of him so deep in her cunt. She mewled as he moved within her, every grind of his hips coiling tension low in her stomach and making her tremble in his arms. When he found a lazy rhythm his hand moved to grasp her hip and she rolled her hips to take him even deeper, making him whimper in her ear. She smiled when his hand found it’s way back to her breasts, fondling them and twisting her nipple until she cried out. Ecstasy consumed her until she could only focus on him expertly playing her body, the languid drag of his cock against her inner walls as he filled her stealing her breath. 

 

Usually they went hard and fast, brutal thrusts and harsh hands but this was somehow just as devastating. She felt like she’d shatter as his hand dropped to her cunt, her skin pricking with nerves as his fingers swirled over her clit. Pleasure built swiftly within her, the tension pulling taught and she sobbed into his arm when he surrounded her clit with his thumb and forefinger and pinched lightly. Her walls clenching tightly around his cock in reaction, he groaned into her neck, biting at her thrumming pulse as she jerked against him.

 

Her stomach tensed as release swam towards her all too soon. She couldn’t hold it back as his fingers picked up their pace on her clit and she whined desperately, Jake soothing her with sweet words rasped in her ear. She felt the warning throb of her orgasm seconds before he told her he wouldn’t last much longer, determined fingers pushing her to the edge. Her back arched as her muscles tensed and somehow forced him even deeper, he let out a breathless moan. She threw her head back and keened, body going still as she balanced on that knifes edge, his slow, relentless thrusts and quick fingers tying her up in knots before the coil finally snapped and release shot through her. She felt as if she would dissolve from the intensity of it, electricity flashed through her veins as he fucked her through it. Each new pulse of it fierce and consuming, her body jolted as he found his own end, her name a growl in her ear. She was shaking in his hold and his fingers still teased her over sensitive flesh, only letting her breathe when her cunt stopped fluttering around him. 

 

For once she felt no need to speak and fill the silence, content to just lay with him while they calmed down, a heavy blanket of peace settling over them both. She slowly turned her head to look at him and found him gazing back at her, he lowered his lips to hers in a leisurely kiss. She had no breath left to steal but he gave her some of his own, she found he tasted like sex and felt like home. Her body was boneless as aftershocks jumped under her skin, she felt him twitch inside her before he broke the kiss and gently pulled out of her body. He kissed the tip of her nose before she opened her eyes, his face half lit by the moonlight slicing through the curtains and when he smiled at her, she saw every emotion he was feeling as clearly as if he’d said them. Her own heart swelled in answer and she turned in his arms to face him, finally letting go of his hand. 


He drew her over him to rest on his chest, pressing a tender kiss to the top of her head and breathing her in deeply. It was easy to give him her body, it was simple to be with him but to tell him what was in her heart? That was the hardest part. It had been so long since she’d said those three words. Three little words that had sparked wars and made even the most intelligent people lose their minds, they shouldn’t hold the power that they did but somehow she couldn’t say them. She tried to tell him in other ways and thought that he understood, she saw it echoed back at her in those singular eyes of his often enough to believe that he did. He squeezed her tighter as though in agreement and she smiled against his chest, his heartbeat a melody in her ear. Soon, she promised herself. One day soon she’d find it within herself to give voice to those three words and set her heart free from its golden cage. 

 

 

Notes:

Thank you for reading! Everyone is together now, I can’t wait to write more of Dan with Manon. They’re very similar and I think they’ll be a fantastic team, they’ll be chaotic goodness at least.

Chapter 10: Don’t call me by name, all of this is temporary

Summary:

Some banter and girly bonding, someone finally makes contact and Manon decides to tease Jake. This was supposed to be one long chapter but it got to over 15k words and was just ridiculously long, so I’ve split it into two and part two will be up on Saturday!

Notes:

I had a lot to cover for Tuesday, this is primarily a romance story, it’s the main focus but I do have a plot. It’s kicking up here.

The songs Manon is listening to at the start are Run For Your Life by The Seige, No Response and Ashes both by Tom Macdonald. Read the end notes for a hint on what happens next!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

10

 

 

“Jesus needed a three day weekend

To sort out all his bullshit

Figure out the treason

I’ve been searching for a fortified defense 

Four to Five reasons

 

But Jesus

You’ve got better lips than Judas

I could keep your bed warm

Otherwise I’m useless

I don’t really mean it

’Cause who the fuck would choose this?


Leaving through the door without a word

You won’t even notice little bird

Better off dead 

So I reckon 

I’m headed to hell instead”

 

Bells in Santa Fe by Halsey

******

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sweat dripped down her face and her legs had turned to jelly what felt like hours ago, her breath was sawing out of her chest so hard her throat was raw. Every time her feet hit the ground the impact ricocheted up her bones, reminding her she shouldn’t leave it so long next time. The beat of the rap songs blasting into her ears helped her keep going, the pounding drums and cocky lyrics hyping her up even though her body begged for relief. She’d barely slept last night, tossing and turning until she was tangled up in the sheets, the soothing presence of Jake not enough to stop her overactive thoughts. She lay there until he woke and tried to lose herself in the feel of him, it had helped a little she still felt a bit crazed. She’d suggested they go for a run and that’s where she found herself now. 

 

All she could focus on was the ache in her thighs and calves, the burning pain of pushing herself too hard not far off but her mind was blessedly quiet. Jake kept pace with her but she barely noticed him, all her attention went to the music and not running face first into a tree. They were getting close to the house and she almost sobbed in relief, she hated the after effects of running but it helped while she was doing it. She wished she could go to a gym and release all her fury into a punching bag or better yet, a willing sparring partner. But she wasn’t desperate enough to ask Jake if she could punch the shit out of him to calm her down, that seemed a bit risky. 

 

She eyed him and saw he was struggling as much as she was, they’d been lazy since getting here. The only exercise they’d really had was when they were lost in the incredible pleasure they could give each other and while very fulfilling, it didn’t help them run or fight. The trees began to thin and she spied her house through the foliage, the sight like an oasis in the desert. She wanted to slow but if she did Jake would have to carry her back. So she summoned one last burst of speed and threw him a sly smile, he might have snorted but she couldn’t hear it and she bolted down the worn path, Jake following close behind her all the way.

 

Manon skidded to a stop a foot from the stairs up to the porch and dropped her hands to her knees, bending over to haul air into her screaming lungs. Jake stopped behind her and stroked a hand down her spine, she had to be a sweaty mess but he still wanted to touch her. Annoyingly he looked as good as he had when they’d started, while some of her hair had whipped free of its braids as she crashed through low hanging branches. She surely looked insane but she didn’t care as she fished her phone out of her pocket and turned off the music. She didn’t notice Jessy was on the porch until she spoke.

 

“You two are fucking unhinged. It’s 7am.”

 

Manon straightened to look up at her, her damp red hair was a birds nest around her head and she clutched a steaming mug as though it was her lifeline. The rich scent of coffee reached Manon a moment later and she instantly needed some. She gathered her wits and her breathing though still harsh wasn’t as bad as it was. She shook her head at Jessy, smiling as she did. 

 

“What’s wrong with that?” Manon finally asked and Jessy took a long sip of her coffee, hazel eyes flicking between Manon and Jake behind her.

 

“There are only two things I get up that early for.” She said slyly and Manon raised a brow, Jake chuckled lightly behind her. 

 

“And what are those?” She dared ask.

 

Jessy's smile was salacious.

 

“Fucking and someone dying. Nothing else.”

 

Manon barked a shocked laugh, Jake seemed a bit taken aback when she looked over her shoulder at him. 

 

“Well we did the first one and I’m not quite ready to murder anyone yet.” Manon returned and Jessy smirked. 

 

“Oh I know, I heard you.” She whisper yelled and Manon made a face. 

 

“It’s my house.” She shot back, Jessy only laughed but Manon wasn’t done. 

 

“And anyway, since I’m guessing nobody died, who were you fucking that you're awake so early today, Jessica?”

 

Jessy's face went as red as her hair when she realized she’d given herself away. Jake muttered, “you miss nothing” in her ear as she faced down Jessy. Her mouth opened and shut a few times before she glared.

 

“As if you don’t already know.” She grudgingly added but she was fighting a smile. Manon's grin grew wicked. 

 

“Oh, I do! I just want to hear you say it.” 

 

Jake slid an arm around her shoulders, she leaned against him since her legs were wobbling like a newborn fawn. Jessy gave up the fight against her smile and beamed at Manon.

 

“Richy!” She bellowed and Manon jerked back, confused at the volume but then Richy crashed through the door looking flustered and Manon noted a dark mark on his neck. 

 

“What!? What’s wrong?” He demanded and Manon bit back a laugh, too pleased her plan had worked and feeling proud of herself. Jake noticed and bent to whisper in her ear.

 

“You’re a menace but it worked, you’ll have to be quieter though.” 

 

He lightly tugged on her earlobe and she shivered, turning taunting eyes onto him. 

 

“You’ll have to gag me I’m afraid. Ooh! Handcuffs and blindfolds too. Now I have ideas. Get back to me later.” 

 

She patted his chest and slowly climbed the stairs to stand before Richy and Jessy, she put on her creepiest smile as she watched them too closely and aimed to freak them out. Both of them turned to her, noticing she’d barely blinked and she struggled not to laugh. 

 

“What the fuck are you doing?” Jessy asked, sounding disturbed. 

 

“Soooo, how did it happen? Both of you share a room with others.”

 

Jessy smirked and Richy flushed red, his head whipped to Jessy.

 

“She knows?”  Jessy nodded and shrugged.

 

“In the shower, it’s big enough for an orgy.”  Jessy said innocently and Manon cackled. 

 

“I know, I have plans for that shower myself.” She turned heated eyes to Jake and found a hunger so intense in his that her stomach flipped. Oh he’d get her back later for her teasing. She couldn’t wait. 

 

Richy said something about keeping nothing sacred anymore and Manon retorted,

 

“It’s 2022 grandpa. We talk about our sex lives now!” 

 

“Exactly! We like to rate your performance over wine and cheese.” Jessy said cheekily and the two men frowned, she held up her hand for Jessy to high-five which she did with glee.

 

“Ooh! We should do that at some point, haven’t had a good wine and cheese night in years.” 

 

Oh, this is what she loved about having a group of girlfriends. The sharing of everything and anything, she had missed it. 

 

“I absolutely agree. Girls' night soon?” Jessy asked. 

 

“Sounds like a plan. Not tonight though, I have big ideas for tonight.” She winked at Jake and those eyes turned black. 

 

Manon decided to save Jake and Richy anymore teasing and headed inside. Determined to shower off the sweat and ache in her muscles. She was aware of Jake behind her the whole way, the hair on the back of her neck standing on end, her skin prickling in awareness of him and she swore she could taste the heady tension between them. She’d never been so aware of another persons presence before. She knew even in a crowd of thousands she’d be able to find him by that electric tingle in her veins every time he was near. Overexertion hit her hard as she climbed the last of the stairs, a pained groan slipping from her mouth as she shouldered the door open. Jake chuckling behind her.  

 

“The next time I suggest we go running, tie me down and talk some sense into me.”

 

She turned to face him, those indigo eyes flashing with amusement. 

 

“You only have yourself to blame.” 

 

His eyes roved over her scantily clad frame, the tight Lycra leggings and sports bra essentially a second skin. The sticky feel of dried sweat coated her skin and she felt disgusting, it was like a film of grime she couldn’t see but was well aware of it. She resisted sniffing herself and headed for the shower. Jake made to follow when the shrill sound of her phones ringtone stopped them short. Seriously, she was going to blow this damn thing up and then burn the ashes. It was an unknown number and her blood turned to shards of ice in her veins, Jake sensing her distress immediately moved to take her hand. She met his eye and answered the call, she didn’t speak, heaving breathing hit her ear and it felt like some weird face off as neither wanted to speak first. The sex pest breather broke before she did, that distorted voice sending a chill like a many legged insect down her spine. 

 

“I warned you to stay out of this.”

 

Manon rolled her eyes and built a mental ice wall around herself that rivalled the one in Game of Thrones. 

 

“And I told you I didn’t care what you wanted.” Her voice was steady and calm, Jake seemed to be holding his breath.  

 

“You will.”

 

Manon forced a cocky laugh. 

 

“You’ll have to do better than that I’m afraid. What do you want?”

 

There was a loaded pause, she fought back the fear that threatened to enter her mind.

 

“I want you gone. I know you’re here.”

 

She went still, it had been too good to be true that he’d stayed quiet so long and she’d almost forgotten what he sounded like. 

 

“Excellent. So you know I’m coming for you then?”

 

Jake sidled closer, gripping her hand tight as she forced confidence and fire into her tone. The freak chuckled, the sound grating over her skin like diamond-encrusted sandpaper. 

 

“You have it backward, I’m afraid. You have two days.”

 

Manon frowned, anger lighting her up and making her reckless. 

 

“Two days to catch you?”

 

“Two days to leave this place. You don’t want to know what will happen if you decide to play the hero and stay.”

 

Manon snorted, taunting now, “Do all you bad guys have a manual? You all say the same thing. Maybe update it a little, be original you know?” 

 

Jake was hissing in her ear, telling her to hang up and be done with it but she refused. She heard the caller growl, the sound eerie with the distortion. 

 

“You are testing my patience. Leave or I'll take everything you love. One by one, I’ll kill them and you’ll watch. Two days, Manon.”

 

A click as he hung up and Manon jolted. She met Jake's panicked gaze and tried to smother her own anxiety. He knew her name, how the fuck did he know her name? Jake echoed her thoughts. 

 

“How does he know who you are?” 

 

She was shaking she realized, her voice coming out a bit strained. 

 

“I have no fucking idea. Unless…” her eyes flew to the bedroom door, her frantic thoughts telling her a truth she didn’t want to accept. Jake didn’t have the same problem. 

 

“Unless one of them is involved.” He said gravely and she gave a weak nod. 

 

“Or let it slip to this asshole without realizing. Which might be worse, if it’s someone one of them knows it’ll be tricky to figure it out.”

 

Jake scrubbed at his jaw, he’d clenched it so hard she feared it might snap. 

 

“This is bad, Manon. Should we tell them?”

 

She didn’t even think about it. 

 

“No. If it is one of them it’ll give them a head start. We proceed as normal and pay attention. They’ll slip sooner or later.”

 

She sounded braver than she felt but the idea any of them could be involved was so abhorrent she felt sick. The thought of any of them being hurt was just as awful, there was no winning. She slung her phone on the bed and stalked for the shower while Jake stormed over to his laptop.

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

Two hours later she was dressed in her favorite red silk dress, the heat of the day had hiked up while she'd been getting ready, summer finally gracing them with its golden warmth. She'd put on her warpaint, red lips and black liner, her hair in loose waves down her back. She had needed to face everyone with her armor intact. Jake had been trying unsuccessfully to find the location that masked idiot had called from, he hadn't spared her a glance he was so absorbed. He had texted her to say he'd be down for breakfast so she was busy preparing a the last of the food while everyone else sat on the decking out back, basking in the sun. She was pulling out a tray of bacon to set out with the bagels and cheese when she sensed him walk in.

 

Manon turned to him and took great delight in his reaction to her. His eyes looked almost violet as they appraised her, starting with her painted mouth that she curled into a smirk, down over her silk covered chest, the neckline showing a hint of what he knew was under it. Her nipples hardened under his lusty gaze and she fought the urge to press her thighs together to smother the sudden burn in her core, the drape of the dress hugged her hips and fell to flutter at mid thigh in loose leaves of silk. He looked almost angry when he met her eye again, she set down the bacon and pretended not to notice as she plated it. He crept up to her and snaked a hand over her hip, breathing down her neck and kissing along her jaw.

 

”This dress is criminal, Manon.” His low voice was like velvet-covered gravel, it slid over her skin like dark magic, compelling and seductive.

 

”Don’t you like it?” She asked innocently and he hummed, hands skimming over her hips, the silk like warm water against her skin as it shifted under his fingertips. 

 

“No, I love it. How do you expect me to get anything done when I know you’re walking around looking like that?” He all but groaned and she smiled wickedly.

 

”Oh, that’s the whole idea. You’ll just have to control yourself.”

 

She moved out of his embrace and grabbed the plate of food, strutting through the open doors feeling his burning eyes on her bare back. 

 

They were all chatting quite happily, the years of friendship obvious in the casual way they teased and laughed at each other. She still felt like an outsider at times but that was to be expected. She set down the plate amongst the others and saw they’d left two seats for her and Jake. Her plan was to tease and taunt him all day until he lost all control when they were finally alone. It was going to be a long day and she wanted to end it with something amazing.  She fixed herself a plate and poured a glass of juice, taking a long sip as Jake finally came out and sat down. The chatter quietened slightly at his appearance but they seemed content to hold their tongues for now. She almost jumped when his large hand wrapped around her bare thigh, long fingers curling dangerously close to her lace-covered sex. Still, she ignored him and bit into her bagel, her eyes skipping over every face she thought she knew. 

Which one of them could it be? She couldn’t picture any of them doing it but she had to keep her mind clear and free of any emotional influence. She didn’t trust Thomas but he didn’t seem brave or clever enough to pull something like this off. Dan would’ve been her first guess back at the start but she felt a familiarity in him, he was abrasive and harsh at times but he cared too much beneath it, like her. She had no doubts about Lilly, she’d never do this and her way of attack was to go nuclear right away, not slowly and methodically plan it out. Cleo though… she was a contender, she was Hannah’s best friend but jealousy could be a powerful motivator and she couldn’t completely discount her. Jessy was too impulsive, too lost in her own world most of the time to manage without slipping up and her fear was genuine, she wouldn’t have gotten herself attacked just to sell it.

 

Richy... He was very hard to pin down, he let very little show and reminded her of a Stepford wife, everything was beautiful on the surface but below that was a roiling sea of secrets and emotion he refused to show. She couldn’t imagine him hurting Jessy but people did crazy things when they saw no other way, it made them dangerous. She spoke to him a lot over text but she barely knew a thing about him, she’d have to change that. It was painful considering them as suspects, more than she’d thought it would be and she knew it showed when Jake stroked her thigh, drawing her eye back to him. 

 

“We’ll figure it out.” He promised under his breath and it boosted her morale a little. 

“Nonbon!” Dan yelled, he was at the other end of the table to her and had to shout over the others to be heard.

 

”It’s Manon.” She gave him a playful glare and he grinned.

 

”Sorry, Manonbon!

 

She bit back a smile and shook her head, no point in arguing with him.

 

”What do you want, Jack?” She’d finished her bagel and looked longingly at the grapes on Jake's plate. 

Dan's deep voice cut through the others  

 

“A little birdie told me you and hackerman are putting on a show for us today. Is that true?” His brow had fallen as he looked at Jake, the dark look in his eyes not unnoticed by her. 

“We are. I was thinking either High School Musical or Dirty Dancing. We’re still working on it.” She said dryly and Jake chuckled beside her. 

Dan smirked, “I’d go with High School Musical, I want to see Hackerman do the Wildcats dance.” 

She laughed, Jake muttered, “Give me strength there’s two of them.” And she almost choked on her own tongue, he wasn’t wrong though. 

“Deal, any other requests?” 

Dan nodded, “Yeah, can we do it later, I’m still fucked from the drive home yesterday. You’re a maniac and I still think you were trying to kill me.” 

Manon snorted but it was Jessy that spoke.

 

”What did you expect!? She drives a Honda Civic. Only insane people drive those.”

 

Manon swiped grapes off Jake's plate, ignoring his indignant look as she popped them into her mouth one by one. It wasn’t even her car but they weren’t far off. She loved to drive and had to drive fast, speed and adrenaline were a drug to her. Dan nodded his agreement.

 

”After dinner would be good so I can have a nap! And a drink, I’ll need one of those to get through it.” He said it so seriously she wasn’t sure if he was still joking until he laughed.

 

”Fine. We’ll keep it simple for you, I know how hard it is for you to follow instructions.” Manon replied and Dan narrowed his eyes at her. 

“What do you mean?” 

She smirked, “I gave you one instruction that night at the Black Swan. Don’t drive home. You didn’t listen.” 

Dan chuckled, “You got me there.”

 

”You’re an absolute idiot, Dan.” Cleo reprimanded and Manon hid a smile.

 

”Hey! You can’t talk to an injured man that way.” He retorted.

 

”I can when the injury was self-inflicted.” Cleo fired back and Manon laughed.

 

Dan turned his attention to Richy. 


“Did you take a look at my car?” 


Richy seemed a bit taken aback, looking to his plate as he spoke. 


“I didn’t have time, my dads doing it this week.” 


Dan scowled but accepted it.

 

”Fine. Tell him to be thorough.” 

 

Richy nodded though his shoulders were tense and Manon sensed there was some bad blood between him and his father. An ailing business could cause tension in even the strongest bonds, money caused the most issues whether you had it or not. Money had enabled her to start over with no care and funded this whole endeavor but she still knew it was a tricky beast. People either loved you or hated you when they knew you had it, when you didn’t it brought a whole new set of problems. She settled back in her chair and let the sun heat her face, Jake's hand moving idly along her thigh. It was going to be a very long day.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

She had cleaned the kitchen, a soundtrack of Halsey keeping her company and taking her mind off the countdown in her head, her nerves were still bothering her with all she had to face today. The talk with them all was looming like a monstrous shadow, her need to keep everything safe and locked away making her tense. She tried to focus on the music and ignore it, it worked until her phone buzzed on the counter. She sighed and picked it up. 

 

Steve: I won’t get in until around 1 am Mani, maybe later. The flight was delayed.

 

Manon: That's fine, I’ll leave a key for you. You’ll have to sleep on the couch though, I’ve got a full house now. 

 

Steve: I don’t care as long as I can sleep. I’m exhausted.

 

 

She frowned, she knew how hard he worked and to have to come here must be pushing his limits. 

 

Manon: I’ll tell everyone to be quiet in the morning. Any news?

 

Steve: Not really, everything’s been quiet since we last spoke. I’ll explain when I see you. 

 

Manon felt bad at how relieved she felt, she didn’t have to face whatever news he had until tomorrow. It helped her breathe easier. 

 

Manon: Okay, I’ve emailed you the house address. Did you get it?

 

Steve: Yep! I’ll see you soon, Mani.

 

 

She put her phone down and smiled, that was one thing off her mind for another day. She wouldn’t be there to see him in but knew that he’d settle in fine. She was singing along to Colors when Lilly came in. 

 

“Manon, can we talk now?” She sounded really eager and it took Manon a moment to remember she’d had something to tell her when she first arrived. 


“Oh! Is this that thing you found at Hannah’s?” 

 

Lilly nodded, “Yeah, do you think Jake would help with it?”

 

“Uhm, I suppose. Why? What is it?” Confusion coated her words but Lilly’s smile was genuine at her agreement. She saw the sheet of paper held in her hand then. 

“I found an application. To visit a prisoner. I think we should send him a letter.”

 

”Hannah wanted to visit a prisoner?” Manon stared at her blankly. 

 

“Yeah, I didn’t think she knew anyone in jail but I found it in her letterbox.”

 

”Okay.” Manon dragged the word out as she struggled to understand but led her out of the kitchen and climbed the stairs, her mind spinning now.

 

They walked into her room and Lilly hovered awkwardly in the doorway as Manon went to Jake, he immediately looked up and smiled at her. 


“You’re a sight for sore eyes.” He murmured and she grinned. 


“I’d say something incredibly inappropriate but your sister is with me.” 


Jake looked behind her but Lilly was pretending not to notice them. 


“What’s wrong?” He sounded weary and she felt bad that all she had to offer was more questions. 


“She found something at Hannah’s, turns out Hannah wanted to visit a prisoner and Lilly thought it would be a good idea to send him a letter. She asked if you would join us.”

 

Jake hesitated a moment, she saw the anxiety in his face and knew things between him and Lilly were still awkward. She checked to see if the girl was still turned away and bent to whisper in his ear.

 

”Do it for me and I’ll do something you’ll love later.” 


He slid lusty eyes to her and knew she had him, smirking as she pulled away. He nodded and Manon called Lilly over, pointing for her to take her chair and Manon perched on the edge of her desk. She watched them greet each other shyly, the tension in the room so awkward she had to stifle a nervous giggle. She rolled her eyes when both of them looked to her to start things off.


“It’s your idea.” She reminded Lilly and pointed at the paper clutched in her hand. 

“Oh. Right.” She cleared her throat, “Hannah wanted to visit a - Ted Madruga. Have either of you heard of him?”

 

Manon shook her head and Jake did the same.

 

 “Me neither. But Hannah wanted to visit him, it doesn’t say why but I think we should just ask him.” 


She handed the paper to Manon and she quickly scanned it, Hannah’s signature clear at the bottom. Ted Madruga. She’d never heard of the name, she handed it to Jake who reacted the same as her. 


“Sorry, nothing we’ve found mentions him.”

 

”Do you want to send him a letter or are you angling for visitation with him?” Manon asked and Lilly sighed.

 

”A bit of both. There has to be a reason why she wanted to meet with him. It wasn’t long before she was taken.”

 

Manon had noticed that the date had been days before her kidnapping. 


“Okay, I’ve done this a few times before so it’ll be easy.”

 

Lilly turned curious eyes to her and Jake lifted a brow, he knew she was a private investigator but he didn’t truly know what that meant and what had led to it.

 

”You’ve filled these in? So you know how it all works?” Lilly prodded and Manon inclined her head. 


“I do. We have to be clear, direct and nothing sentimental. Think of it as filling in a job application but more difficult. There are many reasons they can deny someone a visit with an inmate.”

 

Both of them watched her too closely and she did her best to ignore it, when none of them made a move to start she got up. 


“Let me get my pen and notepad.”

 

She opened the filing cabinet labeled supplies and searched through it for a new pad and pen, messing up the neatly ordered stacks of binders to get them. Gods, this was awkward, it was like they didn’t know how to talk to each other. They watched as she sat cross-legged on the floor and set the pad down in front of her, unscrewing the pen lid to begin.

 

”Hand me that application?” She said to Jake and he thrust it at her with too much force, giving away his nerves. She wished she could sit beside him and hold his hand but she couldn’t do that through every conversation with Lilly. He had to find his feet. 

They both observed her as she copied out the sections in the application onto the blank page, having no way to get their own she had to make do. Once done she sat back and waited. And waited. 


“Fucking hell, what is wrong with you two?”  She was exasperated. How had they managed the other night? Had they actually texted each other as she’d imagined? Jake grimaced and Lilly went pink. 


“Sorry it’s just, you seem to know what you’re doing and I didn’t know what to add,” Lilly admitted.

 

”Honestly I don’t know if this is the greatest idea but we have nothing else.” Jake said and Manon scowled.

 

”Why wouldn’t it be a good idea?” She demanded. 


“Well, if the police find out you’re visiting criminals they’ll come for you harder,” Jake stated simply and Manon groaned when Lilly jumped in.

 

”Wait! The police are after you, Manon?” She actually sounded concerned and Manon felt warmed by it.

 

”Yes but I’ll sort that out in a few days and anyway I’m not the one that’ll be visiting!” She exclaimed to confused faces. 

“Who will be then?” Jake asked.

 

”Lilly.” She said, her tone making it obvious she thought they were idiots. She hated the idea of Lilly going anywhere, especially into a prison. The idea of risking any of them left a sour taste in the back of her mouth. 

“I don’t think I’d ask the right questions, and neither would anyone else, you’d have to come with me.” Lilly pointed out and Manon relaxed a little. 

“Fuck you’re right.” She admitted and Jake looked triumphant but she wouldn’t let him win. 


“Well, the shit with Bloomgate will be sorted long before we’ll even get a date confirmed. Don’t worry about it, I’m not.”

 

Jake scoffed, “It won’t be that simple, Manon.” 

She glared up at him and that stupid handsome face of his. 


“Yes it will. Let’s get on with it and stop worrying about potential problems.”

 


“Fine.” He said, sounding pissed and she gave him a sickly sweet smile.

 

She wrote both her name and Lilly’s in the part that asked for the visitor's name, filling in her details but leaving the occupation blank for now. Jake didn’t miss that.

 

”Why are you leaving that blank?” 

 

“Because. It might change tomorrow and I don’t want to rewrite this.” She avoided his eye and focused on Lilly.

 

”What do I put for your address and job?”

 

Lilly gave her home address and thought it over. 

“I quit the motel when Hannah went missing but Mrs. Walter is keeping my job open for me, just put that down?”

 

Manon nodded and did exactly that. They were at the part where they had to explain why they wanted to visit. 


“Okay, we can’t outright tell them that we want to visit because the person that originally wanted to go was kidnapped before she could. That would get flagged and rejected straight away.”

 

”I agree.” Jake said heavily, scratching at his jaw and she was distracted by his hands, the hold they had on her was bordering on insane. She shook her head and turned to Lilly. 

“What do you think?” 
 

 

“We should just say that my sister wanted to visit him and we’d like to know why? That skirts around the kidnapping part but is still a reason.” She sounded uncertain but Manon agreed.

 

”Good, how should we start off? It’s not exactly a love letter.” 


“Have you written many of those?” Jake joked and she smiled widely. 


“Only in my head.” She crooned and he chuckled, eyes flashing with delight. 

 

“Hmmm.” Was all he said and he looked away. 

“To Mr. Madruga?” Lilly suggested.

 

Manon snorted. “It’s a bit… Cold. He will ultimately decide if he wants to see us. We should be friendly but not overly so.” 

 

They argued back and forth for a while before realizing no matter what they put down it would sound ridiculous. He wasn’t a relative or someone they even knew so everything was either too much or not enough. They settled on “Dear Ted” much to Manon's amusement and she wished she could be there when he read it. When Lilly asked if they should ask if he was enjoying his stay she lost it, cackling wildly until both of them joined in. 


“Definitely not. That’s a bit much.” Manon finally said once they’d quietened down, the awkward air had disappeared during their fit though so it wasn’t for nothing. 


“I’ll ask him how he’s doing and I think we should try to find out why he’s in there.” 

 

“Won’t that be… hitting a nerve? Obviously he’s done something awful enough to be in there.” Lilly offered and Manon shook her head. 

“No, it shows we’re interested in him and will hopefully entice him to trust us.” She explained and both of them nodded. Manon wrote it all out and added in their reason for visiting.

 

”Okay, what else? Or should we just end it and ask him to get back to us as soon as possible?”

 

”Yeah, I think that’s all we can do really.” Jake said and Manon could only agree. It wasn’t much but it was all they had when they knew nothing about this man. She handed the pad and pen to Lilly to sign it, Lilly did and handed it back but Manon didn’t sign it yet.

 

”I'll do it later, I can’t send it off until Thursday.” It wasn’t a reason and Jake's eyes narrowed, she knew she had to use her full name and if she did that now she’d have to explain. She avoided his gaze and got up, shoving the pad into her desk drawer and dusting her hands off. 

 

“That’s it then. It won’t win any awards but it should do the job.” She said cheerfully and Lilly smiled at her. 


“Thank you, both of you.” She glanced at Jake and he smiled gently. 

 

“It was a good idea. Going to Hannah’s, I mean.” Jake replied and Lilly positively glowed. 


“I just got tired of waiting around and wanted to double check Hannah’s apartment. It must’ve arrived after the police searched it because they would have taken it.”

 

Manon had already thought of that and nodded.

 

”I’m glad we found it, I have absolutely no confidence in that lot anymore.” She said bitterly, she’d honestly never seen such a lax police force and she’d been around a good amount. Alan seemed to be scrambling for any bit of information while they were finding it all for him.

 

“I just don’t understand them. It doesn't make any sense for them to arrest Phil and come for you. Phil is a prick but he’s not a killer.” Lilly’s voice was dripping with anger, the quiet kind that settled under the skin and into your bones, leaving its oily residue behind forever. 

 

“They’re desperate. The town is panicking and they have nothing, they’ll grasp onto anything to make it seem as if they’re doing something. It’ll only hinder them in the end.” Manon muttered but they all heard, the curiosity in Lilly’s eyes too bright. 


“What makes you think that?” She asked.

 

”Intuition and I’ve seen it before. They need to keep everyone calm and stop the chatter.” She put her back to them and walked back to the filing cabinet, pulling out the files she’d painstakingly compiled before arriving here. Picking up the ball of red yarn and tub of thumbtacks too. She couldn’t answer their questions yet and definitely not before she spilled all to Jake first. Instead, she put on her careless mask.

 

”I’m going to get everything ready for later.”

 

With that she stalked out of the room, arms full and steps heavy.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

She took a step back and surveyed her efforts, Lilly had followed her down not long after she'd left the bedroom and offered to help her. Together they'd worked to pin everything she'd printed out to the wall, all the research and illegal hacking had resulted in a murder wall of crazy, she felt like one of those conspiracy theorists just looking at it. Lilly looked a bit taken aback and Manon was struck by how much they'd achieved so far, they still had a long way to go though.

 

"You really were the right person to help us, I wish I'd seen that at the start," Lilly said quietly and Manon shrugged.

 

"It doesn't matter now. I probably would've reacted the same way if it was my sister."

 

"Still, I was a prize bitch to you," Lilly admitted with a soft chuckle and Manon smiled.

 

"It's good to be a bitch every once in a while, honestly I don't even think about it anymore. We're friends now."

 

Lilly nodded, grey eyes bright as she spoke, voice barely above a whisper. "Possibly more if things with you and Jake go well..."

 

Manon looked away to hide her stupid grin, "I suppose we'll see how long he can put up with me."

 

Lilly laughed and shook her head. "You don't have to worry about that, the way he looks at you..."

 

Manon tried not to give in to her 16-year-old self screaming at her to ask what she meant by that and squeeze every last detail out of her but she was only human.

 

"How does he look at me?" 

 

Lilly faced her with a smirk,  "Like he doesn't want to miss anything you might do. He rarely takes his eyes off you."

 

Manon didn't know how to answer that, she felt his eyes on her often but she hadn't thought anyone else noticed or that he was quite so attentive. Luckily she didn't have to because Jessy shouted at them from the kitchen. Manon walked with Lilly to go see what she wanted, the smile Lilly's words had put on her face felt permanent. Jessy was attempting to help Cleo with dinner, Cleo looked flustered at the mess Jessy had created and Manon stifled a laugh at the expression on her face. Jessy noticed them and looked relieved.

 

"Oh thank the gods! Cleo asked for help and I warned her I was useless but she didn't listen."

 

Manon eyed her poor kitchen, the island was splattered with tomato juice and it looked like the entirety of her spice rack had been emptied over it. She heaved a sigh and shooed Jessy away to sit down, if she tried to help clean up Manon would only have to redo it.

 

"What do you need Cleo? I'll help." 

 

Cleo looked like she wanted to hug her but refrained. "Thank you! I only asked her to crush the tomatoes and the next thing I knew it was pandemonium in here.”

 

Jessy made a face and defended herself.

 

"I didn't like how it felt! It was like squishing really big eyeballs." 

 

Manon grimaced and wondered when she had learned how that felt. Cleo rolled her eyes and turned back to the stove. Manon washed her hands and grabbed another can of tomatoes, once it was open she dumped it into a large bowl, using her hands to carefully crush them. She and Cleo worked easily once Jessy was relegated to commentary and fetching them drinks, Manon was currently drinking a glass of rosé. Lilly had perched on the stool beside Jessy and it felt completely natural being around these women, the awkwardness she'd expected before they'd arrived nowhere to be seen. The kitchen smelled amazing, Cleo's Ragu was slowly cooking now and they had tidied up most of the mess. Jessy had tried to help but both of them yelled at her to sit her ass back down, both of them fighting a laugh as she giggled at them.

 

"Did I see you in Richy's room earlier, Jessy?" Cleo asked once Jessy had drunk a glass of wine, Manon knew she'd been holding it back since she'd seen it happen.

 

Jessy didn't even try to deny it. "You did, why?"

 

Cleo huffed, "Well, what's going on there?"

 

Jessy smirked and Manon felt like making popcorn.

 

"What do you mean by that?" She asked too sweetly and Cleo's shoulders went stiff.

 

"Have you two slept together?" She asked bluntly and Manon choked on a laugh, Jessy valiantly kept her face blank.

 

"No, we didn't sleep." She winked and Cleo sighed, "We did have a go at naked twister if that's what you're getting at!"

 

Manon ducked her head and laughed. Cleo was smiling even as she shook her head.

 

"That was quick, I thought it would take another 5 years for you to even hold hands," Lilly admitted.

 

Jessy hummed, "Fuck that! I just asked him what he wanted and said if it was me then he'd better step up, and he did. I didn't see any point in waiting around when we've already wasted so much time."

 

"Good for you, I can't imagine Richy's face when you said that," Manon said and Jessy giggled, rolling her eyes.

 

"He wasn't expecting it but I think he was glad I did it, he didn't want to ruin what we had by trying but I told him to stop fucking worrying about the what-ifs and focus on the what now. He's doing well!"

 

Manon grinned, her words resonated with her and she thought of Jake and how easy it had been to accept him into her life. Jessy appeared to be happy and she could only hope it continued.

 

"Where are the boys anyway?" Manon wondered aloud, they'd been suspiciously absent.

 

"They were all in Dan's room watching some stupid horror movie, I saw someone's hand get crushed and left them to it." Jessy shuddered.

 

"You'd think starring in our own personal horror movie would be enough for them," Lilly muttered to Cleo's amusement.

 

"Men are weird." She said simply.

 

"Speaking of weird men..." Jessy said slyly, eyes on Manon. "What's he like? 

 

Manon chuckled and avoided looking at Lilly.

 

"You'll have to be more specific."

 

Jessy chuckled and Manon regretted her words.

 

"I mean, what's he like when you Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo?"

 

Manon couldn't help the childish giggle that bubbled up her throat and Jessy looked far too proud of herself, Lilly was studiously avoiding making eye contact while Cleo looked completely fed up with Jessy's antics. 

 

"I'm not giving you the details now!" Manon evaded; she would have given her something if they'd been alone, but she wasn't comfortable discussing it with Cleo here. And she very much wanted Lilly as far away as possible so she didn't scar the girl. Jessy scowled at her and refused to take the hint.

 

"Come on, just tell us one thing!" She pleaded and Manon smirked.

 

"One question and nothing too explicit."

 

Jessy rolled her eyes but accepted the offer.

 

"Fine, is he as shy as he acts around us all?" 

 

Manon sighed happily at the memories scrolling through her head, Jake bossing her around and dragging her to him. The effortless way he'd pick her up and carry her like she weighed nothing, his growling voice telling her to come for him. She loved many things about him but his complete confidence while they fucked was her favorite thing and the easy familiarity he'd had with her body from the start had been thrilling. Jessy was grinning wildly when she met her eye and Manon could only return it.

 

"No, he's not shy. He's rather bossy actually." It was all she was willing to say in front of Lilly, she'd turned her attention to a YouTube video of some sort.

 

"Oooh, you're definitely telling me soon! Now I have to know." Jessy said and Manon murmured her agreement. Cleo turned to them then.

 

"Okay, this is almost ready. Jessy, will you set the table? Lilly, could you make sure she doesn't break anything?" Jessy made an indignant noise but then agreed she'd probably drop something and Lilly jumped to help her.

 

When they'd disappeared into the dining room, loaded up with what they needed Manon helped Cleo plate the food and carried the bowls through with her. Cleo asked her to grab the wine and went through to eat as the boys came down the stairs. Thomas helped Dan while Richy followed behind with the wheelchair. Once she was sure they'd all sat down she walked to the bottom of the stairs and called Jake's name, waiting for the click of the door closing before running back to the kitchen and trying to smother the butterflies in her stomach, she wondered when she'd get used to him. Hoped it would always be like this for them.

 

She heard his footsteps approaching and turned to smile at him, the sight of him never failed to set her pulse racing. Dressed all in black, sapphire eyes immediately seeking hers and the tousled midnight hair making them seem unbelievably bright, he was beautiful. And he was hers.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

manons dress

 

Inspiration for Manon's dress.

 

 

 

 

Notes:

Part two is finished, I will do a final edit tonight and post it on Saturday! No smut here, it feels weird not to have any but it will be back next time. I had the urge to write in Jake's POV in the second part, I won’t do it often but wanted to show some of his thoughts and feelings. Especially how he sees Manon. Hopefully you'll like that! Thank you for reading!

Chapter 11: As always, the one trick pony’s here so quit your sulking

Summary:

As promised, part two! We kick things off in Jakes POV, a discussion is had and we end with a bang. The lyrics in this chapter are the ones I relate with Jake, that and the song No Name by the same artist!

Notes:

Again, I don’t plan on making Jakes POV a regular thing, it just felt right for this part and we’ve only seen from Manons eyes. I wanted to show how Jake feels too.
I hope it worked and feels like him, in my head he’s very internal and feels a lot.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

jake

 

Who are you kidding?

How could you doubt me?

I've always delivered

 

Ripping the teeth out of the back of my mouth's

The closest you'll get to my wisdom

 

See my initial thought was to wait

But what can I say?

I had to come visit

 

Deer in the headlights looks every time

I step my foot on the ground

I get mistook for a lame

With no weight to his name

Ground just shook

Let's not beat around the bush”

 

CLOUDS - NF

*******

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jake

 

 

 

 

 

Jake glared at the screen when it refused to do what he wanted again, his mind a reel of code he couldn’t fix and he’d been trying for hours. He wanted to turn Nymos into something bigger, something that would protect Manon and give it a bigger role, if the worst happened he had to know she’d be safe. His attempts weren’t working, he typed in line after line and watched as it failed, cursing when it kept doing it. He wanted it to be able to listen in and let her communicate with him when she visited that fucking prison, he knew he couldn’t talk her out of it and she would rather risk herself than anyone else. It was enough she was taking Lilly.

 

 

Gods, that had been a clusterfuck of awkwardness. The knowledge her father had hid him from them all ate him up inside, keeping him from being able to relax around her, he’d met his father only once when was very young. A fuzzy memory of an arrogant, good looking guy that treated his mother like spare parts all he had of him. After that he never saw him again. He didn’t want to know anything about him, he’d done absolutely nothing to help his mother and they’d managed without him. He could keep doing that now. He did want to know his sisters though, when they found Hannah it would be incredibly weird to go through this again. At least he knew her somewhat even if it had been strange at the end. 

 

 

 

He shook his head, shoving the thoughts away and tried to focus on the screen currently mocking him, it was impossible. He gave a long suffering sigh and closed his tired eyes, his stomach grumbling. He hadn’t eaten since breakfast and Manon was helping Cleo make dinner, she’d told him in a message earlier with a dozen emoji innuendos. Manon. Her smiling face flashed across his minds eye and he felt his own mouth tilt up in answer, he hadn’t seen her coming. Didn’t think he’d have done anything differently if he had.

 

 

He’d always loved the wild things, the things that burned bright and free, unrestrained from the worlds expectations. She was a puzzle he had no intention of rushing through to put together. She knew how to get him out of his head and didn’t seem scared of what chased after him, she was a tiny slip of a thing but she showed no fear. Nothing in him could resist her when she’d decided he was what she wanted and he hadn’t wanted to, for once he’d just… wanted. He wanted her with an intensity that should’ve have frightened him but only excited him. As though he’d summoned it, her ethereal voice cut through the house and called him downstairs, the sound a sirens song he couldn’t help but follow.

 

 

He found her in the kitchen, Manon noticed him immediately, twisting to face him and smiled.

 

“There you are, I was worried you’d fallen asleep after your exhausting afternoon.” She teased and he lifted a brow.

 

“Exhausting?”

 

She smirked at him, mischievous and playful.

 

“I was hinting at your complete inability to form full sentences around Lilly.”

 

He chuckled, scratching at the back of his neck, those feline eyes assessed everything including him.

 

“You look tired.” She tilted her head, hair like liquid moonlight fell across her bare shoulder. The dress she wore was more like lingerie, nothing was really on show but the silk lay over her like a second skin.

 

“I’m not actually. I’ve been staring at a screen for hours.” He said a bit too annoyed, she caught onto it immediately.

 

“Is something not going your way Hackerman? You should be wearing your glasses.” She pointed out, coming closer to him and he watched the silk glide over her lovely thighs as though hypnotised. She stopped inches from his chest and tipped her head back to meet his eye. He smirked and lifted a hand to tuck her hair behind her ear, his smirk growing when her eyes tried to flutter closed at the contact but she fought it.

 

“I know, I’m done for today. If I keep going I might smash it.” He let his hand fall to her shoulder, the warmth of her skin something he couldn’t get used to. She gave him that grin, the one that never failed to rouse him and it didn’t now.

 

“Oh, violent! I like it.” She pressed herself against him and he bit back a groan, her full lips parted in invitation. He chuckled and trailed his fingers up her neck to cup her jaw, adding the pressure he knew she liked before kissing her.

 

 

He could spend an age just tasting her mouth. She’d been drinking wine, the tang of it not covering the taste of her, she was sweet somehow and when he was between her thighs she dripped down the back of his throat like honey. Her fingers dug into his chest but he didn’t give her what she wanted, he kept it soft and gentle, if he gave in they’d never leave this room. She made a small sound of impatience that got him smiling, pulling back to nip at her bottom lip with his teeth. The little moan she made was it’s own reward. Whatever lipstick she wore never smeared, he’d worried the first time he’d be covered in it but like some magic it hadn’t budged. He released his hold on her and bent to whisper in her ear.

 

“Later Manon, your words, not mine.” He reminded her and she glared, knew she was cursing his name inside that head of hers. She smiled at him, the evil glint in her eyes sending a bolt of pure lust straight to his groin.

 

 

”Just so you know,” she leaned up on her toes, her voice seductive, “I’m not wearing any underwear.”

 

He froze, fingers itching to slip under the hem of her short dress and check for himself, sure he looked possessed as she grinned at him. She whirled away, picking up the bottle of wine she’d left on the counter and jerked her chin at him, he took a shaky breath and followed. To another awkward meal with people that didn’t trust him. Her small hand in his under the table kept him grounded whenever anyone looked at him funny.

 

He spoke sparingly, preferring to watch as Manon handled them all expertly as an artist would a mound of clay. That damn red dress kept shifting with her every movement, she never sat still and he struggled to keep his eyes off her.  Those wicked green eyes would flash to his, the colour startlingly bright against the white of her hair and she’d smile at him as if he were worthy of it, he wouldn’t try to tell her otherwise.

 


He’d never met anyone like her. That unchecked joy whenever she encountered something that made her smile, despite the scars decorating her body she hadn’t lost her love of life and all it offered. He had thought he had, had made peace with it until she walked into his life and held a blade to his throat. Now he burned to have more, more, more. She awoke something in him he hadn’t realised was within him, the constant need he felt for her incomparable to anything he’d had before and he feared it might consume him.

 

Her full red mouth was made for the bedroom as he watched it turn up into a sly smile and shifted in his chair, his jeans suddenly too tight. She was taunting Dan, it was like watching a tennis match as they chucked sarcastic retorts back and forth. He hadn’t failed to notice the way Dan looked at him, like he didn’t belong here.

 

Manon met his gaze with an irreverence he thought she might’ve been born with.


“Who do you think would win in a fight, Sloth from the Goonies or Miss Piggy? I say Miss Piggy but Jack here thinks Sloth.” She threw Dan a look that would’ve sent a lesser man running, Dan only grinned. 

 

She never said what he thought she was going to say, he hadn’t been paying attention and he couldn’t stop the startled laugh that left him.  


“You can’t ask him!” Dan complained.

 

”Why the fuck not?” Manon demanded and though she was barely over 5 feet tall, she managed to look down her nose at him.

 

”He’ll agree with you because he’s sleeping with you!” Dan shot back and the table went silent. Jake straightened, glowering down at Dan as cold anger shot through his chest. He opened his mouth but Manon giggled and flipped Dan the middle finger, stopping his defence of her. 


“No he won’t. We’ll explain why we think our pick will win. I won’t hold it against him if he sides with you!” She turned and winked at Jake, he forced his body to relax knowing she saw everything. 

 

“I’ll still hold everything else against him even if he picks Sloth!” She promised, Jake didn’t miss the way she looked at him, Dan guffawed and called her shameless, Manon only nodded. 

 

“Fine. Dan, explain why you picked Sloth.” Jake commanded, voice colder than usual because he knew it’d rile him up and it worked, he stared daggers at Jake before he explained. 

 

“Sloth threw his own mother overboard and managed to move a huge boulder to save the other Goonies. He has the strength! Miss Piggy is a damn puppet!” 

 

Jake couldn’t actually believe he was considering this and wondered how his life had changed so drastically. It seemed to happen overnight but the delight in Manon’s sea green eyes was worth it. 

 


“Well, Miss Piggy has the rage of every short person! We lack height but make up for it with fury. Have you seen her in the Muppet Movie? That woman can bust ass, I’d rather have her fight by my side than Sloth!” She snatched her phone off the table and searched for something, 


“And I have video proof.” 

 


She thrust her phone at Jake, he saw she’d found a compilation of Miss Piggy’s best fight scenes and wondered how many crazy people like her were out there if this was so easily available. He watched in complete shock as this pink pig in a wig kicked the absolute shit out of everyone she encountered, she seemed to really hate the little frog. She also appeared to need little more than the vague notion of being offended or annoyed to kick off. Manon was practically buzzing beside him as she watched with him, shouting,  “See! She’d  fuck sloth right up!” 

 


“Sloth would crush her!” Dan shouted and Manon matched his volume. 

 

“He’d have to catch her first!” 


“She has you there Dan, Miss Piggy is a queen.” Jessy laughed, the only one brave enough to get involved in this newest exercise of insanity.

Jake cleared his throat. “I hate to say it but that pig could take me, I don’t think Sloth stands a chance in the face of that.” 

 

Manon crowed her triumph, standing to do a victory dance, Dan pouted at the other end of the table but conceded when Manon kept singing “You just can’t join my club” over him. Jake chuckled as she settled back down flushed with excitement. She was a terrible winner and he suspected she’d be even worse when she lost. She threw him a dazzling smile and clasped her hands in her lap, spine going straight as her pretty face turned serious.

 

“Okay the funs over, let’s get this done so I can fuck off to bed.” She had directed the last part at him, he fought not to shift again and tried to ignore the strange need he felt to be inside her at all times. 

 

“We said we’d share everything and I want to get it done as quickly as possible so please hold all your questions until we finish explaining things. Understand?” She waited as they all agreed.

 

”Good. Shall we begin?” She had the easy grace of someone absolutely sure of herself, it was the sexiest thing about her, apart from that mind of hers.

 

Wait a goddamn minute.” Dan blurted and Jake tensed, felt Manon doing the same.

 

“Before we get into this I have a few questions I want answered. If he refuses, why should we believe a word he says?” He looked to Cleo who murmured her agreement and Jake saw Manon move to defend him, his own icy voice stilling her response.

 

“I don’t have to answer to you. I’m here for one thing, apart from that I owe you nothing.”

 

Dan smiled menacingly but Jake lay a hand on Manons thigh, squeezing lightly to tell her he had this.

 

“Oh I think you do Hackerman, you owe us an explanation.”

 

“I am beholden to no one, Daniel.” Jake said too quietly, Manons eyes cut to him and he inclined his head, conceding.

 

“The only opinion I care about is Manons, I’m not here to be liked.”

 

Manon didn’t look at him but her hand covered his and he wound his fingers through hers. He smothered a sigh, realising he had to give them something if they were to move past their suspicion. 

 

“But it’s because of her, you get two questions, take it or leave it.” He let every ounce of dominance he possessed enter his voice, letting Dan know he wouldn’t take his shit lying down. Dan rolled his eyes but tilted his head in agreement. 


“It’ll do I suppose.” Jake heard Manon snarl slightly at that and reined in the smile that threatened to break his face. 

 

“Why did Hannah contact you when she was in trouble and not us? You weren’t here, it makes absolutely no sense.”



Jake wished he knew, she hadn’t explained but he could only give his thoughts. 

“I assume she felt safer telling someone outside of her social circle, she didn’t want to risk any of you getting hurt too.” He shrugged, it was the best he could do.

 

”Well that turned out great didn’t it?” Dan pointed out and Manon slapped her hand on the table.

 

”Fuck sake Dan, it’s not his fault. You can ask Hannah when we find her.” She spat and he grew painfully hard, gods he loved when she got like this. Now wasn’t the time but he couldn’t control his reaction to the fire in her voice. 

 

“Just sayin’, Nonbon. Her plan failed spectacularly if that’s the truth.” 

 

Jake cut in, eager to get this done now.

 

”Your second question?” 

 

Dan thought for a long moment and Manons hand twitched impatiently in his. 

 

“Why risk it for her? Why come and help someone you hardly know when you were so intent in keeping yourself hidden?” 



“That’s two questions.” Jake pointed out.

 

”Humor me.” Dan said with a condescending smile, it rubbed Jake the wrong way. 



Manon had gone rigid, Dan had hit too close to home and to fully answer him he’d have to reveal the one thing he never would, he avoided looking at Lilly. There was only one true answer in the end.


“Manon.” He said simply, it was the truth. It hadn’t been his sister that made him come here, as awful as that sounded it had always been her. If she hadn’t come for him he would have stayed hidden unless he absolutely couldn’t. He felt her eyes on him and squeezed her hand, three times like his mother used to do to tell him she loved him when they couldn’t say it aloud. He’d begun doing it almost without realising and he was glad she seemed oblivious. She always watched him too keenly when he did it but it was confusion, not knowing in the depths of her eyes. He felt her attention now but didn’t acknowledge it. 

 

“I came because of her, she was brave enough to come here in spite of the threats levelled at her by the kidnapper. It seemed insane to just watch that happen to keep myself safe, it was time to stop running.”

 

 

It was all Dan would get from him, Manon’s soft smile was all he cared about. Thankfully Dan seemed to accept it for now, distrust still clear in his eyes but it wasn’t as strong anymore. 

 

“Right, if Dan has finished his pissing contest I’d like to get started. No more interruptions or I swear I will gut the person that does it!” Manon said it so sweetly that it took the others a moment to realise it was a threat, lust swift and hot trickled down his spine.

 

Manon gestured over to the wall opposite the windows. She’d pinned everything from their case to it, he was impressed with her attention to detail. 

 


“It’s like an episode of BuzzFeed Unsolved!” Jessy blurted and Manon nodded. 

 

Jake sat back and watched her lead as she ran through everything. From the first hint of the MWAF legend, she took great delight in Jake not believing it at first and he couldn’t help but smile. Jessy and Richy then jumped in, explaining Manon had gotten them together to investigate it. Jessy teased Richy because he hadn’t wanted to encourage it. Jake saw Manon take a note of that and realised she was using this as an opportunity to smoke out the traitor. The subject of Manons number came up and Jake decided to jump in. 

 


“We have to assume Hannah sent it. There isn’t a way to confirm until we find her.”

 

He and Manon had agreed not to share their theory that Hannah knew exactly what she was doing by sending her number, it wasn’t provable and would only distract them. 

 

“I knew however, that she’d play a key part. So I contacted her and encouraged her to help me. Thankfully she did or I’d never have gotten this far.”

 

”I’m still surprised I agreed, the way you spoke to me those first few times! I wanted to reach through my screen and slap you.” She chuckled and he propped his chin on his hand as he smiled back. 


“I was too used to protecting myself then, it came before all else. You soon wore that down.” He joked and she winked at him.

 

”You talked like some weird Victorian ghost though. It was like texting with the queen and he did not get my sarcasm, I think I offended him more than anything.”

 

They all seemed to get a kick out of that and he turned to face her. They’d gotten closer to each other somehow, he could smell that warm, enticing scent of hers.

 

”There was a reason for that though.” She looked at him, confused so he continued.

 

”It’s a way to keep people from guessing where I am. If I use local slang or spoke the way I do in person, it’s easy for those after me to pinpoint my general location by studying the dialect. Texting the way I did kept me under the radar if anyone happened to access the chats. It was another way I kept myself safe.” 

Manon seemed impressed, she hadn’t thought of that and he felt stupidly proud of that. 


“That makes sense actually, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed you didn’t speak that way in person.” She laughed and he rolled his eyes playfully, close enough he could kiss her now.

 

”Of course you were.”  

 

“Can you two stop turning this into a flirt fest please? I’m starting to feel sick.” Dan moaned and Manon stuck her tongue out at him. Jake reluctantly moved away from her and focused on the group. 


“Moving on, Manon found this prescription in Hannah’s cloud.” Manon pointed it out on the wall, “Did any of you know Hannah dealt with depression?” He tried to be gentle but there was no way to drop that in without ruffling feathers. Thomas reacted immediately.

 

”There is no way, I would have known.” 


“I’m her sister and I didn’t know.” Lilly dismissed him. 


“Neither did I.” Cleo said a bit weakly.

 

Manon was staring out the window with haunted eyes, not meeting anyone's gaze.

 

”How sure are you of this?” Lilly asked and Jake answered, Manon seemed miles away. 



“Pretty sure. The next thing will explain why.”

 

”Poor Hannah.” Jessy said quietly and Jake nodded.

 

”Why wouldn’t she tell me? I’m her boyfriend and knew nothing.” Thomas had a tendency to take everything personally Jake had noticed, he seemed to have something to prove. 


”I’d take a guess that she didn’t want to worry you or was embarrassed, it’s a tricky illness. People tend to keep it quiet.” Manon said firmly, eyes on Thomas now. 

 

Jakes focus went to her, noting the slight slump in her shoulders and knew she spoke from experience, his heart bled for her. Whatever she’d faced in her past had altered her and she’d been alone to put herself back together, just like him. Thomas took the hint and shut up, Manon’s hand tightened in his.

 

Jake connected his phone to the Bluetooth speaker in the middle of the table and pressed play on the therapist recording. Both him and Manon carefully analysed their reactions, he didn’t find anything concerning in any of them. It would be difficult to figure out who betrayed them. The recording ended and the silence around the table was painful. 

“Hannah was being followed before her disappearance. She’d sought help in her therapist.”

 

”But he didn’t believe her!” Lilly yelled and Manon agreed, Jake smiled at how well they worked together. He’d known when he’d set them up to follow his trail of puzzles that they’d get far more done together than when they fought. It pleased him to see them like this. 


“You’re right! He totally didn’t.” Jessy scowled.

 

”What kind of therapist doesn’t believe a woman when she says she’s being stalked?” Cleo looked and sounded disgusted by the Drs disbelief and Jake didn’t blame her. 

 

“A shit one. Its because she brought up the man Without a Face. He thought she was imagining it.” Manon explained.

 

”Of course! She mentioned something supernatural and was instantly treated like she was insane. I know the feeling.” Jessy elbowed Richy as she spoke, Jake wondered about Richy and how little he knew about him. He was quietly taking everything in but not adding anything, Manon had noticed too. She’d written his name and circled it twice on her pad. 

“Okay, there’s not much else to say about that.” Jake said and sent the notes they’d found in Hannah’s cloud to each of them.

 

“If you check your messages you’ll see two notes Hannah made before her disappearance. The first one confirms her mental struggle and the second details a visit with a family she felt guilty seeing.”

 

Manon flipped her hair over her shoulder, the heady scent of her washing over him, he knew nothing about womens perfumes but whatever she wore suited her. It was strong and powerful but still feminine, she wasn’t one for sweet or floral scents, he didn’t know if she liked flowers and made a note to ask her at some point. 

“Okay! Done.” Jessy chirped and the others soon followed. 

“What do you think?” Manon asked, crossing her legs and reminding him of her sly confession in the kitchen.

 

“She was going through some shit.” Jessy said. 

“Manon thought the first one was helping her process a traumatic event, I think she’s right.” Jake supplied and everyone nodded, murmuring their agreements.

 

”The second one.” Lilly ventured, “Who was she visiting? Emerald green eyes?” Her attention went to Manon who chuckled.

 

”It wasn’t me, we actually know who it was thanks to Jessy.”

 

All eyes flew to Jessy who frowned before she remembered.”

 

”Oh! Iris Hanson, Jennifer’s mother.”

 

“Correct. Richy, do you remember I asked you about an accident 10 years ago? You told me her name was Jennifer Manson? You were almost right, it was Jennifer Hanson.” 

Richy’s brows rose. “Gods, yeah. I remember now, so Hannah visited Jennifer’s mother?” 


“She did. Jessy found out Hannah had gone there by checking her Sat Nav, she drove right there and spoke to Iris. Iris confirmed Hannah had asked about that night 10 years ago.” Manons voice commanded their attention, including his as she dropped the bomb. 

 

“Hannah also told Iris that the man who killed Jennifer that night was following her.”

 

”What. The. Fuck.” Dan exclaimed.

 

”Seriously?!” Cleo asked and Manon nodded.

 

They all took a moment to let that sink in, Manon was taking notes he couldn’t read from where he sat. Thomas sat up suddenly, alarm clear in his voice.

 

”Wait! Jessy, where was Hannnahs car when you checked the sat nav?” There was an odd tenor to his question, Jake felt suddenly like the floor was going to drop out from under him. 

Jessy looked confused but answered.

 

”In front of her apartment where it usually is.”

Thomas’ head was shaking wildly. 

“No, it couldn’t have been.”

 

Jessy was annoyed now. “It was! Where else would it have been?!” 

 

Thomas clutched at his hair with both hands, clearly distressed. 

 

“Jessy, when Jake told us Hannah was in trouble I ran straight to her house. Richy was already there because he’d been closer. But what I’m trying to get at is her car wasn’t there! I checked because if it was she had to be home and this all would’ve been a bad joke. I’m telling you, her car wasn’t there!”

 

Jessy gasped, Richy lay a comforting hand on her shoulder. 

“You’re sure you didn’t just miss it because you were worked up, Thomas?” Manon’s voice was calm somehow though he felt the tension in her hand. 

 

“I’d stake my life on it. There was nowhere else for it to be except her space and it wasn’t there.”

 

”Someone brought it back later.” Manon stated, voice steady. 

 

“Jesus fucking Christ.” Jessy shivered.

 

”Well, that changes things.” Cleo said and Dan nodded. 

 

“It would have to be the kidnapper. He brought it back later and none of us noticed.” Richy sounded pained, like he couldn’t believe he hadn’t.

 

”Shit.” Manon sighed and everyone turned to her, Jake stroked his thumb along the back of her hand. 


“What is it?” Jessy asked and Manon looked to the sky. 

 

“If the kidnapper did bring it back, there might have been evidence left behind, finger prints, hair, skin or even saliva. But because you drove it after him, that will be tainted now. I’m glad you did because it helped us, I don’t blame you. It’s just annoying.” 

Silence settled over them as they all realised the truth of her words.

 

”Now that I think about it, the seat was really far back from the wheel. Hannah’s not much taller than me and she wouldn’t have had it so far back.” Jessy muttered but they all heard.

 

”Right. I think I’ve had enough tonight.” Dan cut in and Jake frowned at him.

 

”You wanted to know everything. We can’t stop now.” Manon said, Dan ignored her.

 

”Look, if we keep going I’ll never manage to keep everything straight. This is a lot of information to get in one night.” 

Jake heard Manon sighing but Dan was already wheeling himself away, heading for the drinks cart. 

 

“He’s right. It would be a waste of time to keep going if people can’t concentrate.” Jake said and squeezed Manons hand. 

“For once I agree with you Hackerman!” Dan gave him a mock salute before downing a glass of whisky. 

Manon picked up her wine glass and threw back the contents, he bit back a chuckle and leaned in.

 

”It’s not so bad, we can regroup later. It’s late anyway.” 

“Fine. I still want to slap him though.” She grumbled and he laughed, kissing her cheek. 

“Is everyone good with that? We can pick it back up another day?” She said after a long moment.

 

They all wearily nodded and slumped down in their chairs, it had gone better than Jake had expected but he couldn’t wait to get out of this room. Manons leg was bouncing impatiently as if she were thinking the same. 

“You want to head up?” He murmured and her eyes cut to his, mischief dancing in them. 

“Honey, I’ve been ready to go since we sat down.” She practically sang and he chuckled. He stood, tugging her along with him. 

 

“Let’s go then.” He said.

 

They said good night to everyone, Manon telling them her friend would be arriving late and not to panic if they heard him come in. They both ignored the knowing looks sent their way and went upstairs.

 

 

 

 

 

***Manon***




 

 

They didn’t even make it in the door. She’d almost reached the top of the stairs when he spun her and pushed her against the wall, arms caging her in on either side of her head as he stared down at her. A cocky smirk playing around his mouth before he crushed it to hers, his hips pressed against her and she felt how hard he was, knew she’d pushed him all day. This was no gentle kiss, it was a man pushed to his limit and she couldn’t wait for him to take it out on her.

 

Lifting her hands to bury them in his hair she pulled him in, his tongue stroked hers in deep, erotic moves she felt between her legs somehow. Her entire body tingled when he dropped a hand to her hip, trailing it along her thigh until he met bare skin and curled his fingers behind her knee. He hiked it up to his hip and she hooked her foot behind his strong thigh, heat pooling quick and wet between her thighs. He flicked the roof of her mouth and slid a hand to her ass, palming it roughly as he stole her breath.

 

She moaned at the grind of his hips, an ache building in her core with the friction and she felt a little drunk when he suddenly pulled back, chasing his lips but he didn’t let her catch him. He grabbed hold of her leg, sinking down to his knees and threw it over his shoulder, she had to hold onto his other shoulder to keep her balance when she realised his destination. He looked up at her, grinning like a devil and licking his lips, her heart a stuttering beat in her chest.

 

 

“Stay quiet.” He ordered and she wanted to whimper, the dominance in his tone too exciting. He didn’t give her a warning before he lifted her dress and pressed his mouth to her folds, hot tongue lapping at her essence. She dug her nails into his shoulder, legs already shaking as he dialled up the pressure and she felt his fingers teasing at her entrance, choking down the moan that crawled up her throat. She bit down hard on her lip when he pushed two fingers inside her, stretching her while his tongue worked her clit.

 

He was relentless, pleasure hitting her like a blow when he curled his fingers against her sweet spot and she couldn’t stop the noise that left her mouth. If anyone was walking to their room below them they’d have heard her but she didn’t care, not as fire gathered low in her abdomen and he resumed feasting on her. It was too good, too devastatingly good for her to hold back for long and release glittered so close she almost sobbed, her inner walls already beginning to clench around his fingers. He made a pleased sound and devoured her with renewed vigour, her breathing harsh as she clung to him for balance. Oh fuck, the pulse began to spread and grow, need dripping down her thighs as they tensed. 

 

She flung her head back, teeth grit against the onslaught as she gave herself over to it and slammed her eyes shut. He sucked her clit into his mouth, beard grazing her oversensitive flesh adding another layer of sensation and she shattered, slapping her hand over her mouth to smother the noise she was making. Her tense body going loose when the last waves of it receded and he backed off, gently removing her leg from his shoulder to set it on the floor. Her knees were weak as he wiped his mouth on the back of his hand rose from his crouch, hands wrapping around her waist to kiss her again. The taste of herself on his tongue only heightening her desire. He pulled back with a low groan and pulled her up the stairs and opened the door, letting her go first.

 

The door closed with a resounding click. The sound echoed through her, she turned and the hunger in Jakes eyes sucked the breath clean out of her. But she decided to push him further. Pressing her thighs together to counter the empty ache that was almost enough to have her beg, she reached behind her to slide the zipper of her dress down. Slipping the straps down her shoulders to shimmy out of it in a slither of silk and stepped out of it, she was completely nude before him. Blue eyes blown black with lust stared her down, her nipples peaking as he ran them over her and swallowed hard, so wet her thighs were slippery with it.

 

“This is yours. Are you going to come take it or just stand there staring?” She taunted and skimmed her hands down her body, voice breathless.

 

He didn’t reply, she watched as whatever leash he held on himself snapped and he lunged for her, a hand wrapping around the back of her neck to drag her to him. She held back her smile, annoyed he was still wearing clothing while she was naked and desperate for him. His hand slid into her hair and pulled, tugging her head back to bare her throat to him. His other hand fell to her ass, fingers digging in mean while he ravaged her neck with his mouth.

 

Her own hands worked frantically to open the fly of his jeans, desperate to touch the hard cock she could feel under the denim. He snarled in her ear when she managed to work her hand into his boxers and wrap it around him, the heat and hardness of him so enticing she couldn’t stand it. She needed him inside her now, the emptiness in her cunt an agony she could no longer bear. She stroked the length of his shaft, thumb swiping over the drop of wetness at the tip and he seemed to lose it all together. His hand lifted and came down on her ass, the pain sharp and startling. She cried out but the swift pleasure and low moan that tore from her made him chuckle darkly, a new flood of wetness dripped from her. She pulled her hand away from him and pushed at his chest, wordlessly telling him to strip. He followed her silent order and she watched, mouth watering as he bared himself to her.

 

He stood there for a moment, gloriously naked and a little intimidating, he didn’t waste time and she thanked whatever god was listening. Hands reached for her, wrapping around her waist and grabbing her chin, taking her mouth in a brutal kiss she felt in her toes. He was edging her backwards toward the bed but she had a better idea, the rug under her feet soft enough to do what she wanted. She dragged herself away from his demanding mouth, panting and smiled at his confused look.

 

”On the floor, I want you to fuck me on my knees and don’t go easy on me.”

He groaned in black delight and let her go, she put her back to him and sank to her knees. Crawling to give him a show and braced herself on her forearms, chest lowered to the floor. He was breathing hard behind her as she spread her knees, showing him what he was doing to her and smiling when he growled deeply, a thud as he hit the floor too. Rough hands pulled at her hips, she looked over her shoulder to see his handsome face stark with need. He ran a hand down her flank and she twitched when she felt his cock press against her soaked folds, her hands fisting in the rug in anticipation. 

 

“I should deny you what you want, you’ve been a menace all day.”

 

She knew he was bluffing, saw no point wasting her breath arguing when she knew he was trying to tease her, a secret smile when he proved her right. He entered her in one deep thrust, both of them moaning in relief. The emptiness banished as he filled her so completely she struggled to breathe. He didn’t pause to let her adjust this time, immediately pulling almost all the way of out before slamming back into her. She had turned to watch but had to look away, the animalistic spark in his eyes too much for her to withstand. She buried her face in the rug, throwing her weight back to meet his brutal pace and take it all.  His free hand found its way to the ends of her hair, twisting the length of it into a rope and pulling it hard enough she felt the burn along her scalp, adding fuel to the fire simmering inside her.

 

He was hitting something so deep inside her she couldn’t think, flame swirled in her core and spread through her veins, making her feel unhinged. The grunts coming from him only feeding it and she was shameless, back arching further as his fingers left bruises on her hip. He shifted behind her, the angle changing as he did and it felt so good she opened her mouth and howled, his smug laugh sending goosebumps scattering across her skin. He let go of her hair, a whine of disappointment tried to escape but was cut off when he repeated his earlier move and brought his hand down on her ass, the surprise of it as thrilling as the pain making her clench around him

 

“I’ve been dying to do that since the day I met you.” His voice so guttural she could barely make him out.

 

”Why did you wait so long?” She managed to ask when he did it again and pounded into her, her stomach tightening as he pushed her closer to that edge. She was almost delirious now, her entire body a live-wire. 

 

“You had to earn it first.” 

 

She all but growled, wondering what had set him off, the dress or no underwear comment at dinner? 

 

“Tell me what I did so I can make sure I do it again.” She ended on a moan, his hand gliding around her hip to touch her swollen clit. He was going to kill her and she couldn’t have been happier about it. He chuckled and circled his fingers, tension coiling in her core as pleasure threatened to swallow her whole. He didn’t answer her,  took to praising her taking his cock instead and telling her how good she felt, so tight and wet around him. Every word like a dark magic that spun the coil so tight she sobbed, almost in distress now and he felt it, her walls fluttering violently around him. 


“Good girl, have you had enough yet?” He asked and she didn’t know what the answer was, her head shook anyway which he took as a challenge. 

 

He pulled her back in time with his next thrust, pace picking up and going impossibly deeper, teasing fingers at her clit backing off whenever she got close to coming. It was a sweet torture she wasn’t sure she’d survive, sweat ran down her face, her thighs burning as the muscles tensed. She gave a high pitched whine as he did it again, release taunting her as it backed away again and she finally broke, feeling she’d shatter like glass if he kept it up.  

“Please!” She begged, very far from sanity now. “Please, let me come.” 

 

He chuckled, the sound so wicked she tightened around him. 

 

“That’s all you had to say.” He murmured.

 

It was at relief when he snapped his hips and worked her clit with quick fingers, not circling her anymore. She felt him throb inside her and knew he wasn’t far off either, she tensed her walls around him to drag him down with her. The coil in her core twisting so tight she couldn’t breathe, his clever fingers knowing exactly how to push her and draw a ragged moan out of her. He cursed her name, feeling the beginning flutters as warmth bloomed quick and hot in her core, electric energy flashing through her veins. He gave her no mercy as he thrust into her, the lewd sound of flesh on flesh loud in the quiet room. 

 

“Look at me.” He commanded and she couldn’t resist the dominance in his tone, turning her head to see him using her body hard, eyes black with desire. She whimpered and felt something inside her go taught a second before snapping, he smiled slowly as her vision went white. Her orgasm hitting her so hard it stole her voice, her body went rigid as her back arched, Jake fucking her impossibly harder as she fluttered around him. The groan he made barely reached her she was so lost in the current, her mind washed away in the wake of it. His fingers and cock didn’t let up, dragging it out, his hips frantic now and she felt him swell inside her, knew he was close but she couldn’t think past how good it all felt. She moaned long and loud, feeling like he was everywhere and it was utterly ruining her.

 

He circled his hips, fingers slipping over her soaked cunt and digging into her waist, she  managed to tighten her inner muscles to help him along. His hips stuttered, hand falling from her waist to the floor and he bit down on her shoulder, making her gasp as he came hard. His body shuddered around hers and his broken call of her name making her smile, exhausted but satisfied. He slumped over her and dragged her with him to lay down, curling her into an awkward spooning position while they caught their breath. 

 

Her heart pounded fiercely as he stroked over her skin, dipping between her thighs to tease her over sensitive clit. She laughed and grabbed his hand, threading her fingers through his and shaking her head. She felt his answering smile against her neck. She wanted to get up and go wash up, then crawl into bed and sleep for a week. But she wanted to lay there with him more, soaking in the feel of his skin and heartbeat against hers, too content to actually move. She wasn’t thinking about tomorrow or what it might bring, she was only thinking of the man behind her who would be there to see it through with her. It almost slipped from her then, those three words and she would have said them if he hadn’t spoken first. 

 

“I think you’re what I’ve been looking for.” He whispered against her skin, her heart skipping a beat. 

 

“All this time I thought I was searching for safety, a new life or a way out but I think I was really looking for you the entire time.” 

 

Her eyes stung, tears threatening to spill at the unexpected tender words. She fought them off, refusing to surrender to them and ruin the moment. He pressed a kiss below her ear and she knew for sure this was it for her, certainty devoured any insecurity she might’ve had about him. 

 

“I was looking for you too.”

 

 

 

Notes:

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed it. The next chapter will take a bit longer because it’s another one that has a lot of ground to cover. I won’t be updating twice a week very often lol. The perfume Manon wears is Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone.

Chapter 12: We burned and we bled, we try to forget but the memories left are still haunting

Summary:

Sexy times and secrets are had, Steve brings news and wise words. The gang have a movie night and we end sweetly! This is long, I figured you guys deserved it after waiting so long lol this chapter is dialogue heavy, sorry, they wouldn’t shut up.

Notes:

I am so sorry this is so late! Real life got a bit blah and I struggled to write this. I have however written a shit load of scenes for the future of this fic but this chapter was hard! I actually had a whole different start for this chapter, in Manons POV but it didn’t feel right and I wanted to write it from Jakes POV instead! Now I am not a man, I have no penis so I had to Google things that made the FBI agent watching my phone blush so if it doesn’t work, blame Google lol It’s done now, i haven’t edited it yet, I wanted to get it up as soon as I finished so I’ll edit tomorrow! I hope you enjoy it and let me know what you think!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

12

 

Started a stranger, a lover in danger

The edge of a knife


The face of an angel, the heart of a ghost

Was it a dream?


I, I am a man on fire

You, a violent desire


What a dangerous night to fall in love

Don't know why we still hide what we've become


Do you wanna cross the line?

We're runnin' out of time

A dangerous night to fall in love


I, I am a man on fire

You, a violent desire”

 

Dangerous Night – Thirty Seconds to Mars

******

 



JAKE

 

She was sprawled across his chest when he woke, a mouthful of her hair stuck in between his teeth. He still jolted a little inside whenever he woke to her beside him or draped over him. Not used to it and not quite trusting it yet either, it seemed too good to be true. She was quite handsy when they were alone, he was worse. His fingers were always seeking her skin, any bit of contact to reassure himself it was real. And that he could, to be honest with you. He liked to pick her apart, to feel her body tremble under his hands and see the dazed look in her eyes when they finally opened again, knowing he put it there.



He took a deep inhale through his nose, breathing her in, she always smelt slightly fiery, peppery and something darkly rich. He could never pin it down but it haunted him constantly, he could pick it out in any room and know it was her. He skimmed a hand down her spine, the skin as soft as silk and watched as goosebumps followed the path of his hand. She shifted a little, eyes moving under her lids but not opening and a sleepy murmur he couldn’t quite make out.

 

Like this she seemed fragile, delicate and… young. So very young with sleep smoothing out the hard set of her wicked eyes, softening the corners of her mouth and her hair loose and unrestrained. She looked so young it made panic rise in his chest at the thought of her handling any of what he’d placed on her small shoulders. If he voiced any of this to her she would kill him, but he would worry anyway and he’d do it silently so she never felt a moments doubt from him. Her leg hiked up his thigh in a slow slide and he watched her face as she slowly woke, his hand tangling in her hair to play with it. Sleep glazed green eyes fluttered open and immediately sought his, the soft smile on her lips just for him. 

 

“Morning handsome.” She rasped, voice low and rough from sleep. 

 

He chuckled, “Morning, Manon.” 

 

He kissed her forehead and tried not to preen when she hummed and closed her eyes as he did. Just a week ago he was completely alone, seeking comfort in her through a message service and now he had her here, somehow she wanted him here too. 

 

“No nickname yet?” She joked and he playfully rolled his eyes.

 

“I like your real name.” I like how it tastes on my tongue, is what he really meant to say but close enough. 

 

She giggled and stretched her legs before replying. 

 

“I hated it until I was 18. Both my parents had odd names too though so it grew on me eventually.” 

 

Jake raised a brow, she never brought her parents up and he wasn’t sure it was right to question her just yet, felt it would be taking advantage while she was still half asleep. 

 

“It’s French isn’t it?” He asked instead.

 

“Yeah but that’s not why they picked it.” She yawned, her nose scrunching up adorably with the action and he fought the urge to kiss it. 

 

“Why did they then?” 

 

“I’m not from Wales so I could be wrong on this but apparently in Welsh, it means Little Queen. That’s why they picked it, I was always their little queen, never a princess.” 

 

She laughed then and he felt something inside him go still at the sound. She had a throaty laugh that made you want to join in, a really dirty laugh that made no sense coming from her mouth but it somehow suited her. He was so far gone over this woman and had no idea how he’d went so long with nothing, he couldn’t imagine not being with her anymore. Before she was simply an idea, a dream of what he might have had if his life hadn’t turned into a shitshow. He’d never expected to actually have her and now he did he wasn’t sure how to keep her, maybe the trick was to just let her keep him and it would balance out. 

 

“You think really loud, Hackerman.” She murmured and he realized he’d been brooding away while she watched him with an understanding smile. He met her gaze and relaxed, the look in her eyes told him he had fuck all to worry about. 

 

“I’m not sure that’s a thing, Manon.”

 

She grinned, wide and beautiful, his own mouth curling in answer. 

 

“Oh it is! I can hear the cogs turning and I was starting to smell smoke but - hey! No! Stop!” She dissolved into giggles as he discovered Manon was ticklish, his fingers digging into her sides enough to make her laugh. He let up and waited for her to catch her breath before tilting her chin so he could kiss her, the electric shock of their lips meeting as strong as ever. 

 

He took his time, slowly but not gently opening her up and when she gasped he licked into her mouth, groaning when she boldly brushed her tongue along his. She kissed like she did everything else, full of fire and fight, battling him for control but conceding eventually when his hand slid around to cup her ass. He loved it, the unleashing and the undoing, it dragged him deeper into the mire of all he felt for her. Lust, quick and dirty flashed down his spine and into his groin, already hard enough he felt a bit dazed. 

 

His hands got greedy, sliding around her and shifting them so lay on their sides and he could slide a thigh in between hers, the heat of her almost scalding. Grabbing at her ass and the nape of her neck to pull her ever closer, the moan she made swallowed down by him. She liked him to take charge and let loose, handle her roughly and leave his mark. It made him want her in a way that was nearly painful, her own hands were around his neck and clinging to his hip, sharp nails biting his skin only adding another layer to the haze that befell them whenever they were alone. 

 

He pressed in closer, upping the pressure and speed until she was panting and rocking against his thigh, her hand slipping off his hip to wrap around his cock. He felt her smirk when he hissed into her mouth, biting at her lips in retaliation but she took it as a reward. 

 

He was mindless as she stroked over him, the kiss turning frenzied and desperate as they both became too wound up to think clearly. She was moaning softly with every rock of her hips, the slick heat of her against his thigh driving him insane as his fingers left bruises on her skin.  He had to feel her or taste her or take her. All three if possible. 

 

He moved his leg away, chuckling when she made a disgruntled sound in her throat but it was quickly replaced by a needy whine when his hand took its place. He’d noticed over the past few days she seemed to have somewhat of a fixation on his hands, found her watching them at odd moments or whenever he did anything with them. He’d taken to giving her more opportunities to do so. She was soaked as she always was when he touched her, it made him feel like a possessive freak knowing it was all for him. He slid two fingers inside her, smiling into the kiss when she clamped down on them, a high pitched whine leaving her throat as he let her breath so he could watch her face as she fucked his hand. 

 

Her hand around him faltered but he didn’t care, not as he crooked his fingers and circled her clit with his thumb and she cursed his name, eyes shut tight like she couldn’t watch him as he did this. White fire trickled down his spine at the sight of her flushed face and the flood of liquid heat that coated his hand when he did it again, her body tensing already. He knew she was close, could feel her cunt fluttering around his fingers and felt it in the way she clung to him as if she needed an anchor to keep her here. He all but growled when her eyes opened, the green almost swallowed by black and burning him alive in the best way, he knew he probably looked similarly unhinged as her hand resumed working on him. 

 

He had never actually decided but he made it his mission to have her boneless and breathless before he fucked her, he wanted her on the edge of begging for it. He pressed his thumb down and added another finger, she flung her head back and gave a guttural moan that had him leaking precum into her hand. He mouthed at her neck, taking mouthfuls of skin and grazing his teeth over her pulse, her body jerked when he bit down hard. He felt her tensing, her breath coming harsh and fast as her hips chased his hand, so close now she was muttering nonsense he couldn’t make sense of. The skin around her mouth was slightly red from the scrape of his beard and the rest of her was flushed beautifully  pink thanks to him, he was ridiculously proud of himself. 

 

“That’s it. Let it go, Manon.” He didn’t recognise his voice, the raw edge of it so deep he wondered if she heard it but knew she did when she whimpered and met his eye. She liked him to talk to her while they fucked, she rarely replied and he didn’t need her to, only wanted to be the cause of her falling apart. As if she were waiting for his permission she took a shuddering breath and he took her mouth again to smother the noise she was making. Every shiver and flutter only made him desperate for her, he wanted to feel her come around his cock, to savour every drop of her and take him down with her. As she eased back down from it he removed his hand, grasping her knee to hook it over his hip and slid his thigh back between hers. 

 

Manon caught on quick and canted her hips so he could slide inside her, in a moment he was seated to the hilt and just took a minute to rein himself in. He’d never felt this bone deep need for another person before, how utterly crazed he felt every time she pulled him inside and made him forget every name he’d ever hidden behind. She wasn’t one to wait though and made it known when she grasped at his ass to try and make him move. He ran a hand down her flank and grabbed at her hip, pulling her into him as he pulled back.

 

“Fuck.” She cursed when he ground into her, the position he’d put her in wasn’t conducive to the harsh thrusts they tended to fall into but he was deeper than he’d ever been. She clung to his back as he circled his hips and moved deep within her, the wet heat wrapped around his cock had him dangerously close to the edge already. It was always like this, so incredibly good he was in a constant battle not to cum the second he got inside her and when she tensed her inner walls deliberately he felt crazed.

 

Almost snarling he buried his face in her neck, hands grasping at her hip and neck, her nails dragging down his back making him shiver. Desire flared bright and white when she rolled her hips to meet his grind, a smug smile on her face when he moaned. He couldn’t have that so he dropped his hand between them, her breath catching as he brushed over her clit in teasing strokes. He wanted to play with her, take her to the edge of madness before letting her fly off it. He licked and sucked his way up her throat, catching her lips in his and drinking her down, tormenting her with lazy strokes of cock and fingers. 

 

She was writhing now. Sweat slick skin sliding against his and her kiss felt more like an argument as he refused to give her what she wanted, smirking against her mouth when she whimpered impatiently.  He broke away, delighting in the harsh breaths and warbling moans coming from her with every grind of his cock into her. 

 

 

“I love the sounds you make when I’m inside you.” He growled and smiled when she shuddered, eyes rolling and nails biting into his back. 

 

He nipped at her earlobe, tugging it and listened to her gasp of pleasure when he circled her clit more purposefully. Her body was singing to him, muscles trembling and inner walls tensing and untensing with every glide of his cock inside her. He knew how to get her to the edge, battling his own need to let go the entire time and make sure she came first, he needed to see that look she got when she finally let it go to send him over the edge. He felt the warning burn of his own release and furiously fought it back, fingers slipping over that bundle of nerves. She was moving into his thrusts erratically, chasing her orgasm now and he watched her face as he brought her to the edge. 

 

She was always beautiful to him but when he was buried in her and had her like this, she was stunning. Some primal part of him screamed at him to mark her as his, claim her and ensure everyone knew she was with him. He was biting and sucking at the pulse in her neck, his body acting on the impulse without him actually giving it the go ahead. She didn’t mind though, no she went a little wild then, bucking against him and whining in his ear as she clawed his back to ribbons. The sting of it grounding him enough to hold off long enough to send her off.

 

“I want you to come for me, Manon. I need to feel you come all over my cock, can you do that?.” She nodded and he smiled against her skin, her movements completely unhinged now. 

 

“Good girl. Spread your legs for me.” He breathed and turned his head to claim her mouth. 

 

 

He pushed her over onto her back and she automatically split her thighs for him and wrapped her legs around his hips. He braced his forearms on either side of her head and slammed into her, the force of it shoving her up the bed. She arched her back into the next thrust and moaned into his mouth, the kiss a messy clash of tongue and teeth now. With every thrust he ground against her clit, felt her begin to flutter around him and knew it wouldn’t take more than a few words from him to send her over. He let her breath as he thought over his next words carefully, he felt himself pulse inside her and was glad she was almost there, he wouldn’t last much longer. Not when she felt like heaven and sin wrapped around him. He snapped his hips, circling to rub against her clit and chuckled when she threw her head back and mewled. 

 

“You like that, don’t you? You’re doing so good, you feel incredible.” He rasped and saw her eyes flash with a hunger so deep it almost ripped the breath from his lungs knowing it was for him. Her moaning turned more desperate, the flutters around his cock  so intense they threatened to drag him over and when she pulled at his hair he lost it, his control slipping at the lick of pain that only pushed the pleasure to an exquisite agony. He drove into her hard, punishing strokes that had her almost sobbing as she thrashed her head wildly. 

 

“Jake… I can’t -“ 

 

“Shh. You’re doing fine, keep being good for me.” 

 

He had no idea how he found the right words to say but he did, she tensed, her entire body going rigid with the next point of his hips. Her eyes flared bright with desire, the hands at his back scrabbled for purchase when he nodded and she went still before exploding around him, the sounds tearing from her throat sounded so wrecked he felt a surge of male pride. He was relieved as she shattered, her cunt milking him for all he was worth as he chased his own end, the leash he had on himself burned away now. He fucked her through her own release to find his, waves of pleasure built in the base of his spine and moved up his body, his groin tensing as it washed over him. Manons writhing and breathless encouragement sending him over the edge, as overwhelming as it always was with her. His vision whited out and he couldn’t think or feel past the bright, intense pleasure as he came inside her, Manon boneless under him as he came back to himself. 

 

He all but collapsed on her, shaking with the force of it and breathing hard and fast against her neck. She was stroking gentle hands over his shoulders and head, humming low in her throat as he wrangled himself back down to earth, he recognized the song as one she’d played a few times now. He didn’t think she realised she did the humming and the singing most of the time and hoped she never would because then she’d stop, he liked to hear her sing. The words of the song came to him then and he smiled softly, mentally telling her he felt the same way too and it was a never ending refrain in his brain. 



“I get undertones of sadness when I think about the moments that I never got to spend with you, I can’t decide, if I love you more in morning or I love you more at night.”

-Ya’aburnee - Halsey

 

 

 

 

 

***

MANON

 

 

 

 

 

Steve: I got in okay, see you in the morning. - Received 1.33am

 

Manon was standing at the top of the stairs, biting her nails and intermittently sighing, she’d been there for at least 10 minutes now and showed no signs of going down them soon. She sighed again, sick of herself, and reread Steve’s message even though it was imprinted on her brain. She was trying to psyche herself up to go down and face him, but nerves kept her rooted to the spot. Once she walked down these stairs the life she’d known these past few days would change and she wasn’t sure if she was ready for it, in spite of her planning every last detail. She huffed an annoyed breath, her inner voice screaming at her to steel her spine, straighten her crown and get down there, the other voice whispered she’d be better staying with Jake. She had stolen his hoodie, it was massive on her but she’d needed something when she couldn’t have him there and she kept sniffing it, that smoky spicy scent of his still lingered. She had to find out what he wore because she was sick of smelling his belongings to figure it out, it was prime stalker behavior and she’d never live it down if he caught her. Her phone buzzed in her hand, jolting her out of her silly musings and she glanced at the screen.

 

Steve: I’m awake, come down any time, Mani.

 

Fuck. She had nothing left to talk her out of it, her childish hope that he was still asleep now blown apart. She smoothed a hand over her hair, she’d brushed it but it still looked like she’d been well fucked recently, she'd gathered it in a messy bun on top of her head but the mark Jake had left on her neck would give her away. Sending a prayer to whatever gamer was running her life today and asking them to go easy on her, she walked down the stairs and into the living room.

 

There he was. Her oldest, dearest friend. Steven Hartley, he looked the same as he did when they were kids but different, older, taller and more… sure of himself. The insecurity that had hung around him like a mist was no longer there, he smiled at her like they’d never spent a day apart and stood with his arms open wide, a smile on his freckled face. She didn’t even think, just ran and jumped into them, arms flying around his neck. He smelled exactly the same, it was like a punch to the gut and she shut her eyes at the flood of memories it brought forward. The two of them 14 and fearless, causing mayhem together and winding up her dad, the indulgent way he'd smile at them when rescuing them from their latest scheme. It was overwhelming but she wasn't drowning under the weight of them now, she just felt... nostalgic and grateful. Griefs rusty blade didn't sink into her heart and twist when she thought back on their lives anymore, it rested on her skin only hard enough to remind her it could cut her again. 

 

“You look good, Mani.” He said into her hair, relief clear in his deep voice.

 

She let him go and stepped back, assessing him for signs of the exhaustion he’d mentioned.

 

“So do you. Gods, has it really been that long?”

 

“Someone made it clear that if I “stuck my nose into Manon's business” she would cut it off.” He chuckled and she laughed, had forgotten she’d said that.

 

“And you decided to do what I tell you for the first and only time when I said that? Typical!”

 

“Well, you were wearing a lot of steel that night and I didn’t want to risk it, I like my nose.”

 

She shook her head, smiling and immediately dove into hostess mode.

 

“Do you want coffee? Food? You must be knackered!” She grabbed his wrist and dragged him through to the kitchen.

 

He sat at the island and watched as she flitted around, grabbing cups and setting up the coffee maker. Once she had two cups of fresh hot coffee she slid one to him and faced him again, leaning on her elbows on the counter.

 

“How’s the wife? Everything still good with the baby?” She asked, sipping at her coffee.

 

His entire face lit up and she couldn’t help but smile at his happiness.

 

“She’s great, they’re both great. She’s enjoying spending all our money on pretty things for when the baby comes .”

 

Manon laughed, she knew Natalia very well and got along with her brilliantly, she’d been shopping with her and knew how crazy she could get with it. Manon tended to encourage her because she was the same way, loved to spend money, and just enjoy it.

 

”I’ll have to set up a date to go with her! I haven’t been on a proper shopping trip in ages.”

 

Steve rolled his eyes, “The two of you are terrible together, if you went with her I’d bet my bonus that you’d talk her into buying a solid gold pacifier.”

 

“They sell those! I’m sure Kim Kardashian has one.”

 

“You and those fucking Kardashians.” He shook his head but he was laughing so she smiled. 

“They’re basically America's royal family and I for one want to know what they’re up to!” 

 

“You’re just a nosy bitch, Mani.” He retorted and she couldn’t disagree.

 

“Mani… you’re the only one left to call me that, I still don’t like it.” She was smiling though.

 

“Tough. I’m not changing it now.”

 

“Nah, I’d probably miss it if you did.”

 

He watched her knowingly, her heart rate spiked at the understanding in his warm brown eyes. His sandy blonde hair was cut close to his head, he always did that when he had a heavy case. She directed his thoughts to that to avoid discussing the past.

 

“So, what’s this big case you’re needed on?”

 

He wrapped his hands around his coffee mug, instantly seeming tired.

 

“There is a group trying to bring down all the energy grids, they’re upping their attacks and almost managed to shut one down last week. We sorted it before it made the news but they’re getting bolder. They drafted me in and I’m getting paid a fortune.”

 

Manon frowned, “Why the energy grids?”

 

“To bring the country to a standstill. No power? No anything. It would cause mayhem. It’s impossible for them to take them down all at once but if enough of them are shut down the rest will follow. I’ve been working nonstop to stop it. They’re regrouping for now which is why I could come here.”

 

“Ah, I’m guessing they’d ransom the government to turn them back on?”

 

Steve nodded, “Yep, cloning credit cards and siphoning money isn’t enough anymore. Everyone wants to be a hacker billionaire.”

 

She snorted, “It’s a shame you’re only a hacker millionaire.”

 

Steve shook his head, smirking.

 

“Says the Private Investigator with more money than she could spend in several lifetimes.”

 

She picked at her nails, Steve was well aware of where her money had come from so she felt no judgement from him. He’d received a good chunk of it from her father too.

 

“Well, gotta keep myself busy! Or I’d just spend my time shopping and reading smutty books.”

 

“We couldn’t have that…” Steve murmured and she grinned, the easy familiarity of being around him had banished her worried for now.

 

“Speaking of, on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is this news you have for me?” She asked.

 

“It’s - about a 5? A 7 if you really hate it.”

 

She rolled her eyes, hearing someone coming down the stairs she whispered,

 

“We’ll go out later, you can tell me then. Don’t bring up dad or the reason you're here, I haven’t told anyone yet.”

 

He frowned but nodded, she heard his reply as she turned to watch Jessy and Lilly walk down the hall.

 

“You’ll have to tell them, this makes sure of it.”

 

She ignored him and greeted her friends, introducing them to Steve who could get along with a lamp post he was so easygoing. It hit her then as she watched her friends congregate around him that Steve wasn’t her only friend anymore.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

They were all in the living room, everyone except Jake who’d texted to say he’d be down soon an hour ago. They were munching on toast and downing coffee, Steve holding court and telling a story from their teenage years, the time she convinced him to buy a ouija board and dragged him to hold a séance in the old asylum, the town myth said it was haunted and she had wanted to find out for herself if it was true. She remembered moving the planchette to freak him out, but it started moving without her trying. She still wasn’t sure if it had been him that had done it, his brown eyes had had that glint in them, the one that always convinced her teenage self to do something reckless. Jessy wanted all the details and even asked if Manon still had the board, pouting when Manon said no so she went online and bought one for the girl. 

 

She felt him before she saw him, the air seemed to change and thicken, a thread of electricity that connected them both. She turned her head and found him already looking at her, unsure of where he fit in she realized with a pang of sadness. She didn’t notice she was smiling until Steve leaned over to whisper.

 

“I’m guessing that’s your hacker?”

 

Her hacker. She supposed he was in a way, she jerked her head to tell Jake to come sit with her and turned back to Steve, whispering furiously so Jake wouldn’t hear.

 

“It is. Behave. Don’t interrogate him.”

 

Steve only smiled, curious eyes on Jake as he slid in beside her. He slung an arm over the back of the sofa, his hand resting on her shoulder and he looked the portrait of easy calm but she felt the tension in him. She held her breath when Steve spoke.

 

“Who wants to hear about the time Manon lost a game of monopoly and from then on all board games were banned?”

 

Jake chuckled beside her and she elbowed him in the side, fighting a smile herself as she thought back to that night. 


“What did she do?” Jessy asked with a laugh. 

“She flipped the board and the table it was sitting on, then she stuck a knife through it and was in the middle of trying to burn it when her dad walked in and decided for the safety of the town, he’d stop us playing games.” 

 

Manon laughed, her dad's face had been hilarious that night and it was one of her favorite memories, how innocent and free they had felt then. Yet they’d spent their days dreaming and wishing they could grow up and have different lives.

 

“Well, I don’t like to lose.” She picked at her nails, hiding her smile as Jake's arm slid off the sofa and settled over her shoulders. 

 

“You still beat me at everything else so I was due a win, Mani.” Steve laughed and she shook her head. 

 

“True. I’ll take that.” She said and turned to Jake as the others begged Steve to tell them more. 


“You okay?” She asked, noting the shadows under his eyes and the hard set of his jaw. 

 

“Yeah, just tired.” He said softly and she smirked, knowing she was the reason for that.

 

“Come with me.” She replied and stood, heading to the kitchen. 

 

He followed close behind her, sitting at the island as she went to the coffee maker and picked up the pot, filling a large mug to the brim before sliding it to him. She poured some for herself, adding her favorite creamer and sat beside him, the room silent save for the occasional voice floating in from the living room. She let him drink half the coffee before she spoke again, some of the tightness left his shoulders once the caffeine hit him. 

 

“Do you want to talk about whatever has you down?” She curled her hands around her mug, eyes on him as he faced her and sighed. 

 

"Can I ask you something?" He asked sounding nervous, setting off a swarm of butterflies in her stomach.

 

"You can." She said and wanted to cringe at how worried she sounded but he only smiled softly at her.

 

"I want to know you, Manon. I don't need your whole life story but I want to know the little things." He said in a rush and she melted a little, she loosed a breath and nodded her permission.

 

"Only if I can do the same with you." She offered and he thankfully agreed.

 

He thought for a moment, a chuckle falling from his lips before he spoke.

 

"Tell me, what's your favorite movie?" 

 

She snorted a laugh, expecting something completely different but still pleased.

 

"Uhm, it's a tie between Dirty Dancing and How to Marry a Millionaire." She grinned at his surprised look.

 

"Did you have a thing for Swayze then?" he asked cheekily.

 

"Oh, yes, he was an angel." she breathed, sounding way too dreamy for someone that carried daggers the way normal people wore jewelry.

 

He only laughed and playfully rolled his eyes, she asked him the same question and waited impatiently for his answer.

 

"The Equalizer. Anything with Denzel is automatically my favorite." He said and she smirked, she liked that one too but preferred Flight.

 

“My turn now.” She wiggled her brows at him, biting back a smile when he looked nervous.

 

”So, how old are you Jake?” She asked brightly and his brow furrowed, confusion clear on his pretty face. 

 

“I was expecting the hard questions.” He admitted and she shrugged.

 

”That’s predictable. I want to know if I’m right in my guess that you’re older than me, that’s all.”

 

He cocked a brow, clearly unsure of her age now she’d asked for his. 


“I’m 35, 36 in December.” His hushed voice made her feel like he was imparting some great secret or gossip, both things she loved.

 

”When in December?” 

 

He chuckled, “December 13th, how old are you?” 

 

She smiled, satisfied she had been right. He didn’t look his age but it was in the way he held himself and the confidence he had with her. She clicked her tongue, wagging a finger at him as though she was reprimanding him before replying. 

 

“Never ask a lady her age, Jake. Gods, how uncouth!” She teased and he rolled his pretty eyes at her.

 

”You love it, now tell me.” He grabbed her hand, threading their fingers together before resting their joined hands on his lap. 

 

“I’m 30. My birthday is on the 29th of March.” 

 

“I’ll try to remember that.” He jested and she scoffed.

 

”If you forget it you won’t live to remember it again. I like presents so don’t be mean.” She laughed and he smiled indulgently at her, eyes flashing with delight. 

 

“Anything else you want to know? How about my favorite color?” He was joking and playful again, the heaviness lifted once more. 

 

“Actually, yes! What is your favorite color, Jake? I simply must know or I won’t sleep tonight.” 

 

He snorted, eyes boring into hers for a long moment as he thought, the answer pleasing her.

 

”Emerald green.” 

 

She smiled, “Funny before I met you my favorite color was red.” She was toying with her hair, playing coy and trying not to melt every time he looked at her. 

 

“And now?” He murmured, swaying closer to her until she could smell his addicting scent and feel the heat coming from his body. 

 

“Now, I’d have to say blue.” She rested her chin on her hand, a soft smile on her lips as he watched her steadily. 

 

“Good answer.” He replied, voice low and enticing, making her skin prickle and burn, she usually only heard this tone when he was buried inside her telling her what to do. 

 

“Favorite book?" She ventured, stupidly excited for his answer and hoped it was one she had read too.

 

Jake cocked his head and sipped at his coffee, taking his time to think and she had to strangle the need she felt to tell him to hurry up.

 

"The Travelling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon. You?" He finally confessed and she felt victorious.

 

"Oh, he's very good! Loved him. Mine is 11.22.63 by Stephen King." She loved that book, so much so she reread it every summer. 

 

"I haven't read that one, I do like King though." he said sounding a bit sheepish.

 

"You can read it whenever, my copy is upstairs. You'll love it, I think." 

 

Jake nodded and they drank their coffees quietly for a minute, both of them trying to come up with something else to ask the other when Steve walked in and refilled his mug, standing across from them when he was done. He eyed Jake and Manon steeled her spine, squeezing Jake's hand to reassure him and herself.

 

"They get sick of you and kick you out?" Manon asked him and Steve chuckled.

 

"Nah, they're talking about a movie marathon later and I escaped when they started arguing between The Notebook and John Wick." He said dryly and Manon laughed.

 

"Make sure they choose John Wick, I love a bit of Keanu slaughtering his enemies." She sighed happily.

 

Both men shook their heads at her, Jake muttering, violent little thing, to which she wholeheartedly agreed.

 

"So, I'm Steve, Manon's best friend and honorary sibling. You're Jake?" Steve said, holding his hand out for Jake to shake and Manon held her breath until he did, pleased Steve was being kind. 

 

"I am, good to meet you," Jake spoke quietly but not weakly, Steve smiled at him and Manon was holding her breath, her nerves from earlier back with a vengeance.

 

"We should talk later when Mani is busy drooling over Keanu." Steve jested and Manon chuckled, Jake only nodded and squeezed her hand three times. She was too worried about them talking to ponder what it meant again.

 

"No embarrassing stories please or I will have Jake release the photos I took on your 21st birthday." She threatened Steve, knew he wanted those photos destroyed but she kept them for exactly these moments.

 

Steve held his hands up in a placating manner before replying. 

 

"Cross my heart, I'll be good, Mani." He teased and she huffed but was fighting a smile of her own. Jake watched them in his silent way but she felt no tension in him and was sure he'd get along great with Steve.

 

"Good. Okay, I'm going to get ready and then we can talk, Steve-Oh." She said and hopped off her stool, pressing a kiss to Jake's cheek before skipping off and running up the stairs, Jake soon followed behind her as Steve left to get ready too.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

Manon had driven Steve into town and they'd bought sandwiches and iced coffees from the Café to eat at Blackwater Lake. If her life was to be turned upside down she wanted a pretty view and good food in her belly first, thank you. They'd quickly devoured their breakfast sandwiches and were laying on their backs in the grass, the sun beating down on them and lulling her into a false sense of security which was shattered when Steve silently handed the file he'd been carrying over to her. With her heart raging in her chest and blood pounding in her ears she quickly skimmed through it, muttering darkly under her breath the whole time and ignoring Steve's chuckle every time she cursed. When she finished she slapped it shut and threw it down on the grass, her mind reeling.

 

"Why did they send it so fast? I was expecting him to make me wait." She finally gritted out, pleased that her demands had been met, but the rest...

 

“They want Magnus Adair's daughter back, losing you and your dad has haunted the Director.”

 

Manon sighed, “I’m Manon Corvin. Not Adair.”

 

Steve threw her a no-nonsense look and she rolled her eyes, “Legally you’re Manon Corvin-Adair.” He pulled something out his back pocket and Manon froze, her vision narrowing on the rectangle of black leather he now held in his palm.

 

“He wants you to have this and to tell you he’s given the go-ahead to use whatever you need here and they’ll provide it.”

 

Manon gingerly picked it up and flipped it open, the badge glinted in the sunlight, and her 23-year-old self looked back at her with brilliant, unscarred eyes. Her full name was signed in her messy script and she felt like she was back in that room when they’d first given it to her. Manon groaned and stood up, beginning to pace, her mind whirring as Steve sat up and watched her warily. She whirled to face him, coming to terms with everything quicker than she thought she would. Special Agent Adair. A title she had never expected to enjoy again, it fit her better than she remembered. 

 

“And they agreed to all my conditions?”

 

Steve gave a resolute nod.

 

“Why? They don’t give anything for nothing. What’s the catch?”

 

“The catch..” Steve looked away, Manon's gut flipped and she braced herself, “You finish the cases your dad left behind and continue with some of his work in the media.”

 

“Gods fucking dammit! No way. Tell Christopher he can go fuck himself.”

 

Steve snorted, “You want me to tell the Director of the FBI to go fuck himself? The man will have me killed before I can finish that sentence, Mani.”

 

Manon growled, the nickname cutting into her like a dull blade and reminding her too much of the past. She had been tired of living in her dad's shadow, this meant fully cloaking herself in it. She’d worked hard to prove herself and wasn’t going to let them steal it from her.

 

“He has no right to ask that of me and he knows it. I almost gave my life for him. My dad did. I have given enough and I still promised more but this is too much, Steve.”

 

Steve got to his feet and walked over to her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders before replying.

 

“It’s not an all-the-time thing. I know you and your dad had multiple books in the works that you could finish. Christopher is only asking you to do that and hold a few interviews every so often, nothing on the scale your dad did. Your name still carries weight, Manon and it'll help you too. I know you've missed it, you can't tell me you aren't just a little excited about this.”

 

Manon hated this, she’d left Manon Adair back in Pinella, the name too heavy to bear and she’d promised herself she’d never wear it again, even though it felt like a betrayal to her father. He would hate that she’d given it all up, all she’d ever wanted was to be like her father but when she lost him it all stopped meaning anything. She’d solved the case that almost killed her, jailed the people responsible, and killed two of them. It should’ve been enough but still, Steve was right, there was an emptiness that haunted her, the thrill of the chase and catch. She missed it. But she wasn’t alone anymore, didn’t want to fuck everything up and that was what she was really upset about. The spark of excitement was growing hotter though, she wanted everything she asked for and could only hope she wouldn't crash and burn.

 

“I want to talk this over with Christopher. I won’t just blindly do what they want, they have to work with me not the other way around. I won’t let them rule my life again.” She finally replied, the heavy weight of everything seemed to ease a little now she had the might of the FBI behind her again. She smiled wide and true, looking up at Steve's kind face. 

 

Steve smiled back, “There she is. I’ve missed you, Mani.” He said sounding so genuine and she couldn’t help laughing, his arms tightened around her and she sank into it, the familiarity of it feeling odd in this strange town.

 

“I’ve missed you too.” She sighed against his chest, relishing the comfort for a moment before stepping back, “ Can you set it up? A video call will do, I don’t want him to come here yet.” She asked urgently.

 

“I’ll call him, you hold all the cards here, he’ll give anything to have you back.”

 

“Good. Because it’s going to take everything and then some.”

 

Manon picked up the file and cradled it to her chest, certain she was doing the right thing even if it meant she had to visit the memories that still woke her screaming in the middle of the night. Looking out over the lake, the water glittered under the sun, the breeze ruffling the surface and upsetting the serene calm of the place. Manon breathed in deeply, savoring the fresh air and the heat of the day, no wonder this was Jessy's favorite place, it was beautiful here. Deceptively so, she mused, it was difficult to remember someone was out there causing havoc when faced with this postcard-perfect spot. The dress she was wearing left a lot of her skin bare and she relished in the heat of the sun, knew it would bring out the freckles she loved and associated with summer, Steve's face already had more than he had this morning. She closed her eyes and enjoyed it for a long moment, Steve doing the same until she threw back her shoulders and nudged him with her foot.

 

“Right we better get back before they come looking for us. We can talk more, later on, Jake will give us space if we need it. But don’t say a word about any of this or my dad to them, I still haven’t told them.”

 

Steve frowned, “Not even to the guy you’re clearly in love with?”

 

Manon reared back, shock stilling her tongue. Steve gave her a feral grin and crossed his arms, speaking before she could open her mouth. 

 

“I have eyes, Manon. He feels the same way, by the way, you know how to pick them don’t you?” He poked her side and she giggled, her heart soaring at his words.

 

“Fuck off. If I hadn’t found you, you’d be in a cell somewhere. You’re welcome.”

 

Steve laughed, his warm brown eyes delighted and seeing way too much, his face quickly turned serious.

 

“You can’t save everyone, you know that right?” He said gently and Manon stiffened.

 

“Of course I do. But I can still try..”

 

“You do know they want him too? He managed to break through encryptions even we can’t. The two of you would be the biggest boon for them, you’ll have to tread carefully… and you’ll have to tell him.” Steve’s tone was soft but she heard the steel in his words. She knew that and planned to but her stomach became a nest of snakes whenever she thought about it, she wasn't sure how to actually say the words. She hadn't ever done it out loud before but for him, she'd try and hope he didn't bolt when he found out he was sleeping with one of the people he was running from.

 

“I know. I just don’t know how to even begin that conversation.” She eventually said and Steve nodded, understanding her at once and knowing she didn't need a solution, just to talk.

 

“I’ve never known you to shy away from a fight before Manon, sure you haven’t gotten soft?” He nudged her with his shoulder as they walked and she threw a sharp elbow into his side.

 

“You want to try me and find out? It didn’t work out well for you the last time.” She reminded him and he laughed.

 

“No one trained me to fight so you had the advantage.”

 

She agreed and they chatted about how drastically his life was about to change. Happiness shone clear in his warm eyes as he spoke, she was delighted for him and couldn't wait to spoil this baby rotten, she was determined to be the cool aunt.

 

“You’ll be a great dad, I can’t wait to see you with a baby.” She smiled as they walked back to the car, Manon scanned their surroundings every now and again just in case they were being followed or watched but there was nothing but them and the myriad of insects dive bombing for them.

 

Steve laughed nervously, “I’m fucking terrified, Mani. But I can’t wait either. What about you? Any plans to settle down and trade in the daggers for nappies?”

 

Manon paled, “Not a chance.”

 

Steve cocked a brow, “Does he know that?”

 

“It’s my fucking uterus. He doesn’t get an opinion.” She said defensively, not really meaning it but he’d hit a sore point and didn’t know it.

 

“You haven’t talked about it have you?” He always knew and she wanted to run.

 

“Of course, we haven’t. We’ve only been together a week. It’s a bit early for the babies and marriage talk.”

 

“Accidents happen.” He prodded and Manon wanted to shoot him in the foot so he couldn’t follow her back.

 

“Not with me they don’t, trust me.” She said with a wicked smile, unlocking the car and getting in.

 

“You are being careful though?” He asked once he'd buckled his seatbelt and she huffed as she started the car, pulling out onto the main road, back to the house.

 

“You know, just because dad asked you to look out for me it doesn’t mean you get to act like him!” She exclaimed, a bit angry now.

 

Steve laughed in the face of her bad mood, which only irked her more.

 

“I’m not, I’m just being sensible and that’s why you don’t like it.”

 

“Well, being sensible never got me anywhere. And yes I’m being careful, the doctor gives me a shot in the ass every 3 months, and thanks to the bullets that pierced my organs I have basically zero chance of getting pregnant.”

 

Steve smiled and she caught the pity in it but for once it didn't upset her, she didn't want kids and had realized that long before the choice was taken from her. She told him that and he relaxed back into his seat.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to pry. You need someone to look out for you though, whatever you have with him seems different Manon. You never cared before or stayed with them long enough to worry what their reaction would be. You love him, don’t deny it, I can tell.” She’d opened her mouth to do exactly that but snapped it shut, eyes darting away from him.

 

“I forgot how annoyingly observant you are.” She hissed and he chuckled.

 

“I learned from the best.”

 

“Yes, I regret the day I offered to teach you some tricks.” Manon sighed but smiled.

 

"Anyway, I'm sure he'll take it well and you won't have to worry about it hanging over your head anymore." Steve said and Manon hoped like fuck it was true.

 

The rest of the drive was filled with safe topics, catching up after so long apart and making plans for when their lives calmed down, if they ever did. When they walked back into the house Steve followed her up to her room, claiming he'd have a chat with Jake while she watched John WIck with everyone, they'd thankfully vetoed Jessy's demand for a Rom-Com. Manon shook of the urge to spy on them as they chatted and only kissed Jake soundly, his surprised grunt making her grin against his mouth. She pulled back before it could get interesting and gave Steve a pat on the back, hissing, Be nice or I'll stab you, as she walked past him. Manon headed downstairs and settled on the couch with Jessy and Lilly, both of them smiling openly at her and she found herself looking forward to a movie night, even as she worried about the conversation going on above them.

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

Jake

 

 

Jake was apprehensive as Steve grabbed Manon's desk chair and dragged it over to sit facing him, his heart thumped heavily in his chest and he couldn't help but feel he was meeting the parents in a way. He could still taste Manon and hoped it would be enough to keep him calm enough to discuss everything in a friendly manner. It was clear in the way she'd panicked over his arrival that Manon loved and cared about Steve very deeply, he wanted to come across well. Steve seemed carefree and smiled at him easily, Jake opened his mouth to ask him what this was about when Steve clasped his hands, a habit he'd come to love in Manon and it calmed him, the familiarity of it easing the strangeness of it all as he began talking.

 

"I've known Manon since we were too young to know better. She saved me from something that could have ruined my life and since then we've had each other's backs. She's my sister in everything but blood and I will always be there when she needs me. I am not arrogant enough to believe she needs me to do this but her father would haunt me if I didn't. So, let's get it done, and then we can go join them for their movie marathon, how does that sound?"

 

Jake quirked a brow, this definitely felt like a meet the parents conversation and he wanted to pass whatever test was being laid on for him so he nodded, forcing his shoulders to relax as Steve spoke.

 

“The thing about Manon is she’s fiercely loyal. Once she’s committed to something only an act of God or as she likes to say, the gamer running her simulation could make her change her mind. And she’s decided you’re what she wants, is she what you want?” Steve’s voice wasn’t threatening or angry, he was coming from a place of concern and Jake was so fucking glad Manon had someone like that in her corner. Jake felt no hesitation or doubt as he replied.



“She is. I tried to keep things platonic in the beginning but she…” he trailed off, not sure how to say it but Steve grinned and did it for him.



“She wouldn’t let you. I know her better than I do myself, you were fucked the second she caught a sniff of the mystery behind you. She lives for that shit.” He chuckled and Jake inclined his head, it was true from what he’d seen so far.



“Shes… unlike anyone I’ve ever met. She held a knife to my throat the first time I met her.”



Steve laughed, a full-on belly laugh, and Jake couldn’t help but chuckle too.



“That just means she likes you, it’s when she holds the gun to your head that you need to worry.” Steve joked and Jake raised a brow.



“That happened to you?” He asked and Steve smiled, it seemed Manon wasn’t the only one with a thing for violence. What was in the water in Pinella Pass?



“It didn’t but it was close. She’s one hell of a shot too. She’s good with the knives but those are usually the last resort. Has she told you of her training?”



Jake shook his head. “We haven’t actually discussed her life before now, she asked for time and I’m giving it to her.”

 

Steve sighed, “She will now, she’s been through hell and back again, she’s tough. But she also feels more than most people, she struggles with it. With her you'll never know peace but you'll never be bored." Steve snickered and Jake laughed, he was well aware already and looked forward to more of her specific brand of chaos. He found it charming and exciting, he never knew what was coming next and it was so new for him he hoped he never stopped being surprised by her.

 

"Peace is overrated," Jake said and Steve graced him with a genuine smile, appraising him for something and only answering when he seemingly found it. Jake had no idea but he must’ve passed some test.

 

"It is, you haven't known peace for a while, have you?" He prodded and Jake snorted derisively.

 

"I can't remember the last time I felt at peace but when it's just her and me here, that's the closest I've been since I was a teenager." He met Steve's eye and let out the breath he was holding when he saw the acceptance clear in his eyes.

 

"Good, cling to that. When everything goes to shit, cling to it and you'll be fine." Steve said simply and Jake found himself agreeing, he'd already planned to do just that if it all burned down around them.

 

”I love her. I haven’t told her yet, but I do.” Jake said, his voice thankfully coming out strong. Steve smiled knowingly and leaned forward, lowering his voice.

 

”I know. You should tell her though, you’ll feel better once you do.” 

Jake chuckled, looking at his hands for a moment and he did feel like a weight had been lifted saying the words to someone. It had been a constant battle to keep them behind his teeth, every time she made a joke or smiled at him or had that wicked gleam in her eyes, they tried to crawl out his mouth. He hadn’t wanted to spook her by saying it too quickly but it was getting harder to keep them locked away. Steve nodded as if Jake had said all of that out loud and he saw Manon in the mannerism, the years he’d known her obvious. 

 

“Has she told you anything about me?” Jake asked and Steve’s face didn’t change, he’d be a hell of a poker player. 


“A bit. Enough for me to have this conversation with you.” He hedged and Jake understood, he knew what he was and still encouraged him with Manon. He had to know why. 

“Why didn’t you tell her to run the other way? I was sure you’d come here and tell me to leave her alone.” He admitted and Steve laughed. 

“Because when we were young and stupid, she saved me from a situation very similar to yours. Her father did really, but she was the catalyst and he wouldn’t have done it if she hadn’t thrown a fit. It’s thanks to them I have a career doing the very thing that almost cost me everything.” He looked at Jake meaningfully until it clicked and Jake swore, mind blown now.

 

”Fucking hell. You’re joking? Does she have a thing for hackers?” He joked and Steve cringed.

 

”Thankfully not, we were always just friends and then basically siblings when I moved in with them. She just likes to help people and will do anything to do it. Including throwing a tantrum the likes Pinella Pass had never seen to get her dad to agree.” He chuckled and scratched at his neck, Jake could imagine it vividly. She was a force when she wanted something. 

“It explains a lot actually. Why she jumped into all this so easily, I never got it but now I do. I feel guilty everyday for dragging her into this mess and the more time I spend with her the worse it gets. I can’t watch her get hurt.”

 

Steve heaved a sigh, his voice gentle and reassuring when he spoke.

 

”Look, she can handle it. You’ll understand when she tells you about her Dad. Just for the love of the gods don’t let on you’re worried about her safety, she’ll do something twice as dangerous just to prove to you she can do it.” 

Jake barked a laugh, completely understanding Steve because he’d already realized that himself. She didn’t like to be boxed in or worried over.

 

”I’m sure she would. Shall we go down and watch people get killed then?” Jake offered and Steve stood, slapping his hands to his knees as he nodded. 

Jake led the way downstairs and into the living room, finding Manon wedged between Lilly and Jessy, all of them glued to the screen as Keanu hunted the man who killed his dog. Manon was critiquing the fight scenes and explaining what was realistic and not to the others. She smiled as soon as she saw him and he felt that bloom of warmth in his chest again, sure his heart was in his eyes as he smiled back and she shoved Jessy down the couch so he could sit beside her. He laughed and apologised to Jessy but she was practically in Richy’s lap so she wasn’t too fussed.

 

”Hey, Jake. He didn’t try the ‘if you harm my daughter I know all the good places to bury you’ talk did he?” She narrowed her eyes at Steve who’d sat beside Thomas, Thomas actually spoke to him to Jakes surprise but then Steve was oddly easy to talk to.  

“He didn’t, we’re good don’t worry.” He whispered to her and tried not to smile too hard when she swung her legs over his thighs and pulled his arm around her shoulders, shifting until she was comfortable, head resting on his shoulder. He idly stroked his fingers along her bare legs, another dress today though not as scandalous as the red one had been. It was a deep blue, the colour striking against her skin, two bows tied it on at the shoulders and he had to stifle the sudden need he had to untie them. It had a vintage look to it which she paired with the red lipstick he was quick becoming obsessed with. She looked like a dream and he wanted nothing more than to crawl under the skirt and feast on her, the smirk on her lips when he met her eye again telling him she knew where his mind had gone. 


“Do you have a kink for dresses, Jake?” She breathed into his ear, the wash of hot air making him shiver. He gave her his cockiest smile and pressed his lips to her ear so nobody else would hear him. 

“Like you have one for my hands, and other things, Manon?”He dragged his hand along her leg again in emphasis and grinned when she made a tiny sound of distress, the others too busy watching the movie to notice them. 

“You’re a cruel man, Jake.” She hissed and he choked Down a laugh. 

“You started it, sweetheart.” He taunted and she lit up at the nickname, eyes luminous and full of fire as she looked at him.

 

”I guess I did, sweetheart?” She settled against his chest again, her fingers picking at his shirt over his heart. 

“I don’t know, it just slipped out.” He said truthfully and she chuckled, his heart beating out of time when she met his eye.

 

”Hmm, it’ll do, I suppose.” She said and nodded once, Jake chuckled. 

“Would you prefer babe or baby?” 

Her entire body seemed to cringe at that and he bit down on the inside of his cheek to keep from laughing too loudly. 

“Definitely not, sweetheart is fine.” 

Jake hummed, “Good choice.” 

Manon pinched his nipple and chuckled when he jolted and snapped his teeth at her ear. Both of them beyond noticing that everyone was watching them, especially Steve. Jake wanted to kiss her, those red lips like a rag to a bull and he wanted to taste them. Manon lifted a brow, the challenge clear in her vivid eyes and he accepted it. She opened to him the moment he licked at the seam of her lips and brushed his tongue along hers, she tasted like white wine and something sweet like honey. He chased that taste and lifted his free hand to cup her face, pressing her harder to him and drinking her in. He almost forgot where they were when she wriggled against his cock, already half hard and she’d barely touched him. It always felt like coming home after a long, hard day, she made him feel wild and safe all at the same time, it was intoxicating. He flicked at the roof of her mouth, savoring the way she melted against him when he did and her hand slid up his chest to tangle in the hair at the nape of his neck. She slanted her mouth to give him better access and the kiss turned messy, both of them forgetting where they were. 

“Uhm guys, can you keep it PG-13? There are children here.” Dans voice cut through the haze swirling around Jake and Manon, she didn’t let him go until he tugged on her bottom lip with his teeth. Manon gave Dan the middle finger and rolled her eyes.

 

”What the hell are you talking about? There are no kids here.” Manon shouted to Dan and Dan smirked, pointing at Thomas who was oblivious thanks to Steve and his ability to make friends with anyone. 

 

“I don’t want to see that.” He waved his hand at them both and Manons retort was instant. 

“It’s my fucking house, Jack. Don’t like it? Go to your room.” She laughed and Dan roared a laugh. 

“Just sayin’, Nancy Drew. You love me really.” He joked and Jake shook his head even as he fought a smirk. Dan still hadn’t warmed up to him and he had a feeling he wouldn’t for a long while. 


“I don’t know about love, tolerate you, definitely.” 

 

Dan reared back with an obnoxiously loud gasp, hand pressed over his heart as he affected a hurt look.

 

”You wound me, Nonbon!” He exclaimed and Manon giggled, he couldn’t help smiling at her. 

 

“You’ll get over it.” She sniffed and relaxed again, Jake resumed casually stroking the silken skin of her legs. 

 

When everyone was suitably absorbed by the TV Manon turned to him. 

“Shall we go make some food for these ungrateful people?”

 

She spoke so quietly that only he heard it and he was glad of it so that Dan wouldn’t jump in again. He nodded his agreement and got up once she had untangled herself from his lap. The others paid them no mind as they left the room and headed into the kitchen, Jake appreciating how Manon looked in that dress as he followed her. The words were at the edge of his mouth again and he wasn’t sure if he could keep them behind his teeth for much longer. Instead he fished around his brain for something else to say, anything else and settled on something he’d wondered just the other day. Manon was busy pulling things out of the freezer and turning on the ovens.

 

”What’s your favourite flower, Manon?” 

She finished loading trays into the oven, deciding on a buffet style dinner so everyone could grab what they wanted and sit back down to finish the movie, only answering once she set the timer. 

“My favourite flower? Uhm, pink peonies. Gardenias too. Oh and sunflowers. Why?” She looked confused but also quite pleased. 

“I just wondered.” He tried to sidestep the question but he should’ve known better. 

“Are you planning to buy me flowers, Jake?” 

She sidled up to him, a sly smirk on her lips and he sighed through his nose even as he smiled at her. 

“Can’t you wait and be surprised?” He joked and she grinned wickedly at him.

 

”Nope. I like to know. If you do buy me flowers don’t buy lilies. Can’t stand the fuckers.” She scrunched her nose but her eyes were dancing with mischief. 

“Why not?” He asked and was surprised when she seemed to shrink a little. 

“When my dad died people sent lilies, so many of them I was falling over them for months. I can’t stand the smell or sight of them now.” She admitted quietly and he pulled her in for a hug, pleased when she immediately fell into it and let him comfort her. 

“No lilies, I promise.” He whispered and kissed the top of her head, letting her pull away and focus on making a salad to go along with everything else. They worked together, chatting and playing the entire time, it was so easy to simply exist with her. 

 

Later once they were in bed, exhausted and sated, he listened to her breathing deepening and watched her face relax into sleep. When she began murmuring in her sleep and the light of the moon gilded her silver, he finally felt brave enough to let it out. The words tripping over themselves as he finally voiced them. 

“I love you, I love you so much it terrifies me.” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Notes:

Thank you for reading! If you fancy leaving a comment, please do, it’ll make my day! The next chapter shouldn’t take so long, it’s already in my head I just have to get it out lol I shouldn’t have said I wouldn’t do Jakes POV often because I’m one of those people that if you tell me not to do something I’ll do it twice just to prove I can lol

Chapter 13: If I could break the spell I'd shake the gates of Hell, I wanna change, believe me

Summary:

It’s Thursday, a very busy day for the gang and that’s all I’m saying because I’m terrible at summaries. This was probably the hardest chapter to write ever, it took a while to get everything to flow because I’d written it all in multiple notes over the past year and had to write around them 😂

Notes:

This is fiction, what I know about law enforcement comes from the many true crime shows and books I’ve read and fictional cops on tv and in books. So suspend your disbelief, I’ve spent way too much time googling things FBI agents do and how long they train for and all that shit. I’m probably on a watchlist now thanks to my constant weird google questions. It is what it is, in my mind Duskwood isn’t in this world anyway, it’s an alternate version of this world with slightly different rules. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!
DO NOT READ THE END NOTES UNTIL YOU'VE FINISHED THE CHAPTER!!!

 

If you ignore that warning don’t come bitching to me haha!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

13

 

I built these walls so tall pretending I am strong

But really I'm just fragile

I wanna keep you close enough

But far enough away for me to handle

Just when I think that the monster is tamed

I hear it whisper

"You haven't changed"

At the end of the day

There is no one to blame but me

Self sabotage

 

Shot of friendly fire on my way down


Self sabotage

 

Guess I'm always gonna be

My own worst enemy


There's nothing in the water

I'm just known to make it harder

When it should be easy

 

The deeper we go, the farther I run

Don't wanna be who I've become”

 

Self Sabotage – Ruelle

*******

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MANON

 

 

 

 

 




Manon stumbled downstairs far too early on Thursday, catching a glimpse of Steve snoring away on the sofa in the living room as she aimed for the kitchen for some much needed caffeine. She didn't think Jake had slept last night, he'd been up and working long before her. As she walked into the kitchen Manon realized she wasn’t the only one up and soon discovered Richy was as cheery first thing as he was all day long. But he had made coffee, so he got points for that. She managed to smile back before turning her back on him and filling her cup with coffee and creamer. She took a mouthful and bit back a moan at how good it was, Richy would be in charge of the coffee machine from now on. She turned to tell him exactly that. 

 

“I have no clue how you did it but clearly this machine likes you more than me! Can you set an alarm to make coffee every day please?” 


Richy chuckled quietly, shaking his head as he looked away from her, she realized then that they’d barely interacted in the time he’d been here. 

 

“I can do that. I add a pinch of salt and cinnamon, that’s all it is.” 

 

Manon raised a brow, “Interesting.” She had nothing more to add to that so switched topics, “What time are you planning to visit your parents?” 


Richy scratched at the back of his neck and made a slightly pained face, something she was coming to see as a sign of his anxiety. 

 

“Around noon, I think, that way we can get back long before it gets dark.” 

 

Manon leaned on her elbows on the island across from him and nodded, pleased he’d thought it through.

 

”Good idea, you all have to go to the Pawn shop after too, keep that in mind while you’re with your parents. I don’t want to have to hunt you all down.” 

 

“Yeah, don’t worry. I won’t be long with them, I just need to check in or I’ll go insane worrying here.”

 

Manon chuckled, it only sounded slightly bitter. “I get it. Look after them while you have them, one day you won’t be able to.” 

 

It was Richy’s turn to lift a brow in question and she waved it off.

 

”Both my parents are gone. I barely remember my mom I was so young when she passed.” She didn't elaborate, not when Jake deserved to hear that story first, she planned to tell him that night.

 

Richy nodded in understanding, his expressive face unusually calm. 

 

“Yeah, my mom has an illness and it’s deteriorating day by day. It’s hard watching her fade away but I’m glad I can help her, once all this is over it’ll be easier.”

 

Manon hid her surprise at his admission, he was always so careful not to let anything negative slip and she felt strangely touched he’d offered it to her. He seemed a bit embarrassed though so she covered for him. 

 

“Gods, can you imagine how weird it’ll feel to not have to worry about any of this? I won’t know what to do with myself.” Manon joked, and Richy laughed and agreed with her.

 

”I know. It’ll be back to work and normality. Well not completely.” He added with a soft smile she realized was directed at Jessy, the other woman was shuffling into the room on slippered feet. She was rubbing at her eyes and Manon had to choke back a laugh at the state of her hair, it truly looked as if some tiny woodland creature had made its nest there and she couldn’t help but wonder what they got up to. She knew Dan had swapped rooms with Richy and that allowed them to have a room to themselves. So the gods only knew what they were doing in there. 

 

“Morning Jessy,” Manon said far too brightly, the dirty look she received could’ve frozen hell.

 

”Can’t. Coffee. Then speak.” Jessy mumbled.

 

Manon snorted and Richy watched her with a fond smile as she put an ungodly amount of sugar and milk into her coffee and downed the mug in one. Manon had the sudden urge to take her bar hopping, she’d be an excellent drinking partner. She refilled her mug and Manon could already see her warming up to life again. She turned to face them and eyed them suspiciously. 

 

“What are you two doing up so fucking early? Has someone died?” She grimaced and buried her face in her mug, Manon knew she’d just remembered that that could very well be true one day but she still laughed at her. 

 

”No. No fucking either.” She winked at Jessy and got a cheeky smile in return, “I have no idea why Richy is awake but I’m awake because a certain hacker has been up for hours already and was making a racket.” 

 

Jessy giggled and rolled her eyes.

 

”Men. Can’t live with them but can’t live without the D.” She nodded seriously and Richy went red, clearing his throat awkwardly as he looked around for someone to save him. Manon couldn’t help but grin at his discomfort. 

 

“Anyway, why are you awake?” She asked Jessy and got a look that, paired with her hair, reminded Manon of those cats that always looked furious at the world.

 

“I fell out of the bed and decided that was as good as it was gonna get, so I just got up. Didn’t want to risk breaking my neck the next time I woke up.” 

 

Manon chuckled and shook her head, she hadn’t heard a thing. Richy at least looked concerned but Manon found it hilarious and Jessy did too despite the glare she was throwing Manon's way. 

 

”How did you manage to fall out?” Richy asked.

 

Jessy shrugged, “I was asleep at the time so I can’t really tell you.”

 

They fell into an amicable silence as they drank their coffees and waited for the caffeine to work it’s magic. Cleo arrived just as Manon perked up and finally shook of the lingering haze of tiredness. Cleo had tea in the mornings she noticed and wondered if she was fully human, there wasn’t nearly enough caffeine in a cup of tea. She still had her back to them as she spoke.

 

“Why are you all hanging about in here? There is a perfectly good couch through there.” She pointed in the direction of the living room.

 

”Because Steve is still asleep, he leaves tonight and I want him to get as much sleep as possible before he goes back to work.” Manon explained.. 


“So.” Jessy began, eyes on Manon, “Steve. Did you ever…?” She asked with a smirk.

 

Manon cringed and shook her head so fiercely she feared her neck would snap.

 

“No! Gods no. He’s like my brother.” 

 

Jessy chuckled and shrugged, eyes twinkling. Steve chose that moment to walk in, his kind face fighting a smile.

 

“Thanks, Mani, love you too.” He winked and she huffed a laugh, giving him the middle finger before replying.

 

”As if you don’t say the exact same thing when people ask you that question.”

 

“True. How is everyone this fine morning?” Steve asked the room at large.

 

”Fine? I’d rather be asleep and dreaming about Henry Cavill but here we are.” Jessy said, voice dryer than dust, and Manon nodded, Henry was a beautiful man. Richy rolled his eyes and Jessy sent him a sly wink that made his cheeks go pink. 


“Henry Cavill?” Cleo asked and both Manon and Jessy stood straighter, prepared to defend his honor.

 

”Yes. Be careful what you say next Cleo, I won’t accept anyone slandering Henry.” Jessy warned, and Steve and Richy watched them like they were all insane.

 

“Calm down woman! What I was going to say was, I personally prefer him with the silver hair in the Witcher.” Cleo laughed and Jessy joined in, dropping her mental sword now she was sure she didn’t have to fight for Henry’s honor.

 

”I agree. There’s something about that silver hair. I blame Lord of the Rings. That started my obsession with it.” Manon joked, pointing to her own head and Cleo’s face brightened as she agreed. 

 

“It’s actually all that tight leather. I think I wore out the pause button every time it showed him from behind.” Jessy giggled.

 


“The bath scene, I re-watched that episode about a hundred times.” Manon sighed dreamily, Jessy squealed a little and nodded excitedly.

 

”Oh, even his feet are sexy. It’s not fair.” Jessy moaned and a wild giggle bubbled up Manon's throat, Cleo didn’t share Jessy's enthusiasm for Henry’s feet.

 

”That’s - whatever. Just keep the feet stuff away from me, please. Do what you want in your own time.” Cleo laughed and headed through to the living room, the rest of them followed her through. Manon decided to take a coffee up to Jake and get ready for the day, it was going to drag in she already knew.







***







It was just before noon and Manon was seeing them off, Jessy deciding at the last moment to go with Richy to check the files at Rogers Garage for the car Iris Hansen had told her had killed Jennifer, and it was that change that was causing her the most anxiety. She knew realistically that it was safer with a fourth person but her intuition was firing alerts at her constantly these days and she never knew what was a real problem and what was her anxiety. It was most annoying and she had to bite her tongue to keep from saying she'd take them instead. They were taking two cars at her insistence and Cleo had decided to stop off at home to collect some things she'd forgotten.

 

“We’ll be fine, Manon! We’ll be back in a few hours.” Jessy smiled at her, ever cheery.

 

“Yeah, we won’t stay too long," Richy added and steered Jessy toward his car, Manon gave them a tight smile.

 

“Just be careful. Stay together and don’t investigate any strange noises or attempt any break-ins.” Manon told the four of them, directing the last part to Cleo specifically who gave her a grin that did not settle her nerves.

 

“I’ll call you once we leave the Pawnshop,” Cleo promised and Manon felt some of the tension bleed out of her.

 

“Thank you. Be safe and if anything happens get back here right away, don’t wait for anything.”

 

After they all agreed she wished them luck and waved as they drove away from the house. She closed and locked the door, heading back upstairs to speak to Jake. Dan and Lilly had decided to spend their day watching cheesy 80's action movies in the living room and she didn't fancy intruding, there was something between them that she couldn't put a name to yet. She could hear Steve in the kitchen, he was on the phone to Natalia and the happiness in his voice had her grinning as she climbed the stairs.



She walked into the bedroom and snorted at the sight of Jake sprawled face down on the bed, fully clothed. She walked over on silent feet, pinching his very nice ass as she did, making him jump and grouse a little. She reached out and scratched her nails against his scalp, smiling at the sleepy contented rumble that came from his chest.



“You alright there Hackerman?” She teased.



He didn’t bother opening his eyes or lifting his head when he muttered his reply, only twisted to the side so she could hear him.



“I'm alive. That's about it.”



Manon clicked her tongue and carded her fingers through his silken hair, trying not to laugh when he leaned into her touch like a puppy demanding ear scratches.



“How much sleep did you get last night?”



He groaned, one sapphire eye cracked open just to roll at her. She stuck her tongue out at him and got an amused huff in return.



“I didn't. I've been up all night.” He grumbled and she frowned as she sat down beside him.



“Hmm, do you want me to leave you to sleep? What were you doing all night?” He rolled over onto his side, his arm snaking around her waist to drag her down onto the bed and she went willingly, someone had told her spooning always led to forking so she wasnt about to turn him down. He only replied once he was happy she was close enough.



“Don't leave, I'm not going to sleep. I was doing some digging into Amy Bell Lewis.”



Manon realised with a wince that she had almost forgotten about Amy, the murder seemed so removed from the opaque bubble they'd been living in here.



“Did you find anything?”



“I did, she was an artist and went by a pseudonym, Avali. I found a forum that she was active in.”



Manon practically growled with impatience as he dragged it out unbearably, the vibration of his chuckle at her back telling her he was doing it on purpose.



“Jake, stop being a tease!”



He kissed a spot behind her ear that made her shiver, the arm around her waist tightening as she did.



“Patience, sweetheart,” He murmured in her ear and her stupid heart lit up at the endearment. “She posted asking for information on the Man Without a Face.”



Manon's muscles locked up she was so stunned and for once she didn't have a clue what to say, Jake laughed when she stayed silent.



“Speechless? I was too but unfortunately the person that offered to help her did it privately. His profile blocks all requests and I don't think he'd tell me anything if I could send him a message.”



Manon grinned, relaxing into the heat of him again, “I think I know where you're going with this, you need my charm and fantastic personality to make him talk?”



He gave a fond snort and nipped at her ear, scattering goosebumps over her skin.



“Something like that. I've made an account and added the app to your phone, we can try it later.”



She was long past bothering to ask how he did these things and simply nodded.



“Okay, shall I put the new episode of the Kardashians on then?” She asked and he moaned in what she chose to believe was deeply suppressed excitement to see what Kim was up to this week.



“If you must, I'll just rest my eyes.” He murmured and she smiled to herself, he'd definitely fall asleep.



She reached for her phone on the nightstand and opened up the app, too comfortable to get up and find her laptop. Soon she was doing her best internal impression of a TV critic as she watched the latest carefully manufactured drama and expertly airbrushed relatable moments, Jake snoring softly behind her after a while. She had to keep the mental commentary going or she’d do nothing but worry about her friends.








***







She was startled awake by her phones ringtone, having dozed off as well. Jake trying to keep hold of her as she answered but when Richy spoke all traces of fatigue left both of them. 



“Manon, I can't find my dad. We've searched everywhere and all we've found are ravens feathers, someone scattered them over his tool bench.”



Manon bolted upright, shoving at Jake's arm to let her go and he moved instantly, springing up and striding to his computer with far more grace than was fair given his size. She followed and fired off a reel of breathless questions.



“Is there nothing else around? Is your mom okay? Where are Jessy, Cleo and Thomas?”



She could hear him breathing heavily, panic clearly taking root but he answered her.



“Nothing else, yeah Jessy is with her, we got the files first.”



“Cleo and Thomas?”



She knew what he was going to say before he did and had to clamp her lips together to trap the furious scream that crawled up her throat when he reluctantly confirmed it.



“We split up. Cleo thought since there were four of us it would be fine and we could get back quicker.” He spoke so hesitantly she knew he was afraid of her reaction.



“For fuck sake, what did I tell you all? STICK TOGETHER!” She ended on a shout and Jake glanced at her, she shook her head and he turned back to his screens, fingers flying over the keys.



“I know. We can't change it now. Manon, what do I do? He's always here and he wouldn't leave my mom alone.”




He sounded desperate so Manon let go of her anger for now, she'd wring their necks when they got back. She was thinking over her reply when there was a loud bang from Richy's end and then the sound of him running, her heart was stuck somewhere in her throat. She could feel it pounding in her neck and was struggling to speak around it.



“Richy? Tell me what's happening!” She was beginning to feel like she was outside of her body, the room going out of focus as she directed all her attention to her phone and the friend who sounded as if he were running for his life.



“I can hear him! My dad, he's screaming my name. He's in the forest.” He was panting hard and her stomach sank to the floor at the knowledge he was going into the forest, alone and unarmed.



“Richy, it's a trap. Get out now! Go back to the Junkyard and call the fucking police, you can't face him alone.” The last thing she wanted was to involve the police but she’d happily face them if it meant he went back. 



Richy didn't answer and Manon repeated herself over and over, dread rising so swiftly she couldn't beat it back. Her fingers were numb and she couldn't hear anything other than Richy's frantic yelling for his dad, anxiety's sadistic chuckle creeping through her head as her mind flashed between now and six years ago. Every breath she took was tighter than the last, vision swimming in and out of focus when Richy cursed, the profanity so shocking from him that it snapped her out of the memory of herself draped over her father's dead body. She could almost feel his blood congealing in her hair and on her skin and pooling under them, the iron-rich scent of it turning her stomach. Jake was watching her too closely and she only got a grip on herself when the running stopped, Richy was whispering now, she could almost taste the fear that laced his words it was so potent.



“Fuck, he's here. He has my dad. He hasn't seen me yet but I'm sure he heard me, he has a gun, Manon.”



Manon's heart stopped dead and she swore she felt her blood pause in her veins before everything restarted, a roar in her ears as she spat the next words.



“Richy, RUN!” But she knew it was futile, she hadn't run away either.



“I can't, I can't just leave him. It looks like he’s been beaten and tied up.” She could hear the complete devastation in his voice and his next words chilled her to her marrow.

 

“Manon, please tell Jessy -” His voice broke on Jessy's name and he took a moment to collect himself, “Tell Jessy that I'm sorry, I wish we'd had more time. I thought we'd have more time.”



Manon closed her eyes and prayed to every God she knew the name of, begging anyone listening to help him survive until she could save him. Jessy would be inconsolable and she never wanted to see that girl anything but happy, it was a cruel twist to take Richy now they'd only just managed to find happiness together. She heard the rustling of leaves and branches and realized he was leaving his hiding place, she couldn't take it, she should've gone with them. It should have been her. She wanted to hang up and run away, far enough that all this would seem like a bad dream but she was all he had right now and she would not let him face it alone. 



“I will, I promise. I'll find you, Richy. Tell Hannah I'm coming for you both.” She whispered and Richy thanked her, the last thing he said to her as he walked into the lion's den. 



Jake called her over and she went to him, and saw he was utilizing the connection he'd forged with Richy's phone. He looked to be recording everything happening and on the second screen were two dots representing Cleo and Thomas, they were moving towards the town center, they must’ve gone to Cleo’s first. Manon was weak-kneed with relief that they would be nowhere near Richy’s place. Jake pulled her into his lap and soothingly stroked his hand down her back, trying to comfort her and it helped a little but there was a riot inside her chest threatening to explode. Richy finally spoke again but not to her.



“Please, take me and let him go.” He begged, Manon could only just hear a muffled shout in reply to that and assumed it was his dad trying to talk around his gag.

 

 

There was no reply, only the muted thud of footsteps hitting the ground and the terrible sound of Richy’s harsh panting, Manon knew she’d hear it echoing in her ears for weeks to come. Richy begged for his dad's life again and something inside Manon broke, a scream crawled up her throat, begging her to open her mouth. It took everything inside her to keep it trapped inside, not daring to breathe too loudly now.  

 

“Don’t hurt him, he didn’t know, take me instead, take me please!” Richy was crying, Manon wanted to but her eyes refused to cooperate. Jake pressed a kiss to her cheek, concentrating on the computer in front of him but still trying to comfort her.  

 

There was a hideously long silence, Manon’s non-existent patience thinned further and then a rough male voice filtered into the air, it sounded as though he'd gone years without speaking. He only said one word now but it was all that was needed to seal Richy's fate.

 

“Deal”

 

They heard a sickening thud as something heavy hit flesh and bone, Manon and Jake flinching as both the phone and Richy dropped to the ground. More of that awful silence, only broken up by the attacker as he picked up the phone and Manon held her breath while he spoke.

 

“I warned you. You only have yourself to blame.”

 

She could hear the smile in his voice, red hot rage smacked into her, she’d never felt it's like and it obliterated the panic and fear, she wanted to burn the town to the ash. Her vision sharpened as she clenched her teeth and embraced it, Jake watching her warily when she began hissing venomously into the phone.

 

“You said I had two days. My time isn't up until tomorrow."

 

The bastard laughed, the sound so appalling it lifted the hair on the back of her neck, Jake was all but snarling beside her, telling her to keep him talking. He looked absolutely murderous, eyes burning with cold fury, and despite everything going on, she was glad he was here, that she wasn’t dealing with this on her own. 

 

“Oh, I know. The mechanic was too good an opportunity to pass up, so I moved the deadline up.” He chuckled, sounding so pleased with himself that Manon wanted to take her favorite dagger and separate his head from his body very, very slowly. One thought rang clear in her head though, how the hell had he known Richy would be there today? 

 

“For your sake, you better pack up and leave. If not... Well, you already know, don’t you, Manon? Your move.”

 

She opened her mouth to tell him exactly where he could shove his demands but he didn’t give her the chance and ended the call. The room was too quiet now, it seemed deafening and oppressive, the air too thick to breathe. Jake was still now, he barely seemed to be breathing and she could do nothing but stare at the phone in her hand, it didn't feel real. Just hours ago she'd joked around with him, he'd made them coffee and now, now he was gone. Her eyes burned with the need to cry but no tears fell, her heart was hammering against its cage and she could barely get enough air into her lungs, anger was consuming her.

 

Manon managed to call the police, frantically giving them the few details she knew, and hung up when they confirmed they were on the way, thankfully they were near the area thanks to Amy Bell Lewis. They were in the real game now, their time playing house and feeling safe was now over, she felt like her world had been turned upside down. This wasn’t supposed to happen, she’d been too cocky and selfish, desperately clinging to the hope she’d get everything she wanted. Maybe she still could. It wouldn’t be easy but she had to end this before anyone else got hurt, he had to be stopped before he could make good on his promise to take them all from her. If anything happened to Lilly or Jessy… she bolted out of Jake's lap, startling him and almost falling on her ass her legs were so wobbly.

 

“Manon, what's wrong?” Jake demanded, panicked and tense.

 

“Jessy! She’s still there!”  Jake's eyes widened and he turned back to the computer, she watched as he checked the location of Richy's phone to make sure it wasn't near Jessy's, it wasn't and seemed to be moving deeper into the forest before it suddenly went dark, Jake groaning that the phone was now switched off. Manon dialed Jessy's number and paced the floor while it rang, begging her to pick it up. It rang for what felt like an eternity before a panicked Jessy answered.

 

“Manon? What’s going on? The police just arrived and went into the forest, I can’t find Richy! I've looked everywhere!” She was on the edge of hysterical and it helped Manon steel her spine, mental shields of solid iron wrapping around her like a second skin and she felt nothing but the fiery heat of her fury, it would keep her focused.

 

“Jessy, you have to leave now, get back here as quickly as you can. Don’t wait for Richy, something happened. I’ll explain when you get here.” She tried to be vague, not wanting her to fall apart at the scene of the crime and risk her getting hurt too, now they couldn't track the phone he could come back.

 

Jessy was indignant, “What?! No! I’m not leaving without him! I’ll go look for him, he can’t have gone far.”

 

Manon sighed and knew she had to be cold and blunt, gentleness would only drag this out, even if it did kill her inside to say the words to her friend.

 

“Richy isn’t coming back, Jessy. He walked into a trap. You have to leave while the police are in the forest. You can’t be there. Richy wouldn’t want you to get hurt too.”

 

Jessy was sobbing now, chanting denials until Manon snapped, her mental shields felt too flimsy now and she had to make it through this call with them intact, she had too much to do.

 

“Stop it Jessy! You can’t help him like this. I’m going to call Cleo and tell them to meet you at the motel okay? Leave Richy’s car at the Junkyard and run to the motel. If you’re not back here within an hour I’ll hunt you down myself, understand?” 

 

 

Jake was watching her far too observantly and she knew he could see how brittle her hold on herself was. But she’d manage, she’d been here before and could play this game. Jessy finally spoke after long minutes of crying, Manon's heart fractured with every sob and she silently swore an oath to make this bastard's life a living nightmare when she caught him. Jessy finally stifled her sobbing, breathing hard and voice broken. 

 

“Okay. I’ll leave. Promise me you’ll find him, promise me you will make that cunt pay, promise me that and I’ll go right now.”

 

Manon held Jake's gaze, he seemed worried for her but she only let him see the fire in her eyes and the determination in her heart. 

 

“I promise.” She said, voice ringing with sincerity.

 

Jessy thanked her breathlessly and hung up. Manon called Cleo and quickly updated her, refusing to give a full explanation until they got back and gave her the same time limit she’d given Jessy. Thankfully Cleo understood the gravity of the situation and accepted what Manon said. She felt 90 years old when she hung up. The heavy weight of emotional exhaustion settled over her like a concrete coat, Jake made his way over to her and tried to comfort her but she was too livid to appreciate it, her body felt like a livewire and she was done. She broke out of his hold and stormed over to the safe, it was time.

 

Manon unlocked it and the heavy door swung open to reveal a small armory, she didn't spare a glance for the personal items she knew were on the lower shelves, just grabbed what she needed before locking the safe again. She lay her protective vest on the bed and went to her desk, checking both guns before tearing open the box of 9mm cartridges and loading them. She strapped one to her hip and another to her thigh, Jake watching her steadily and he didn't seem surprised, hadn't said a word to suggest otherwise. She strapped a dagger to her forearm and picked her vest up off the bed and put it on, she'd forgotten how much she hated these things. Jake turned his back on her as he walked over to where he'd left his boots and she took the opportunity to secretly slide her badge and handcuffs out of her bag, shoving them into her vest pocket. She was merely delaying the inevitable but it made her feel better.

 

Armed and furious, she grabbed a hair tie off her nightstand and tied her hair up in a bun, shoving her feet into her boots before storming downstairs. Jake followed her and not silently.

 

“Manon, you can’t just rush in there like this. The police will be there, let them handle it.”  The worry in his voice tested her resolve but they both knew they couldn’t delay this.

 

“No Jake, I’m done playing. He wants a martyr? I’m going to be his biggest fucking problem.”

 

She jumped the last two stairs, landing with a loud thump and went into the living room where Dan and Steve were talking about comics, Lilly glanced up from her book, eyes going wide when they took her in. They all stared at her, Steve with a slight smile that changed into a frown of concern when he saw the rage on her face and Dan with complete and utter shock as he appraised her, uncharacteristically quiet until he wasn’t.

 

“Why the fuck is she carrying so many guns?” He blurted, eyes darting between Jake and Manon, Steve snorted.

 

Manon didn't answer him, she spoke to Steve.

 

"Steve, make sure Cleo, Jessy and Thomas are here within the next 45 minutes, if they're not, call me. I'm going into town, Richy's been kidnapped."

 

She ignored the explosion of panic and the flurry of questions from Dan and Lilly, waiting for Steve's nod of agreement. He looked a bit shell-shocked but he did agree and she left, storming out the front door after grabbing her keys out of the lock. Jake followed, still trying to convince her to stay even as she opened her car door and the leash she had on her temper frayed, causing her to snap at him.

 

“You can either get in this car and come with me Jake or so help me, I will cuff you to that fence over there and go myself. Your choice.”

 

She waved her cuffs at him to show she was serious, despair and uncertainty clear on his face now and she hated that she'd spoken to him like that, it wasn't his fault. He looked to the sky, loosing a resigned breath, and got in the passenger side, Manon slid in behind the wheel and started the car, throwing it in reverse. Once she was on the road into town she hit the gas hard, pushing the car to the limit and breaking more than one law to get there as quickly as she could, eventually passing Cleo and the others on their way back home. Manon didn't say a word to Jake the entire drive there and he held his silence as well, she was too lost in her head, busy planning what she was going to do. And worrying over his reaction but she pushed that to the side, she'd taken too long to tell him and now she had to pay the cost. She saw the sign for Rogers and slowed the car when they drove onto the lot, she stopped and glanced at Jake just as he finally spoke again. 

 

"What the hell are you doing, Manon?" He demanded a note of distrust in his tone that threatened to steal the strength from her body.

 

Manon gave him a bitter smile.

 

“What I have to, I’m sorry. I wanted you to be the first to know, I needed you to be the first to know but I should know by now that my life will always fuck me over right when I find a little bit of happiness.”

 

She didn’t wait for his reply and got out of the car, taking the coward's way out and putting off the inevitable until she could break down in private. She infused as much confidence into her battle weary body as she could and swaggered straight for the small group of cops standing around chatting, there were six of them she counted. They all rushed to stop her.

 

“Miss, this is an active crime scene. You cannot be here.”

 

Manon smirked and slid out her badge, Jake going wholly still beside her as she flipped it open and made a show of displaying it to every officer there.

 

“FBI. Special Agent Corvin-Adair.” 

 

Every one of them froze, recognition flashing in some of their faces though a few remained unimpressed, the ones that knew stepped back from her, she only gave them a feral grin as Jake stepped closer to her, his hand settling low on her back. She trampled the hope that tried to take root from that small gesture of protectiveness because she knew how their story would end once he knew the depths of her omissions.

 

“One of you better take me to the goddamn crime scene, now.” She pulled out her phone when no one moved. 

 

“The hard way then. Just what I wanted.” 

 

Manon hit the call icon on the contact she’d long tried to forget but had always known she’d come back to, the line ringing until Chris answered, his voice so familiar but strange too. 

 

“Good afternoon, Manon. I’m so glad you accepted my offer. They giving you trouble?”

 

Manon didn’t even blink.

 

“Not quite, Christopher. We have some things to discuss, you and I, but right now, I need you to let Duskwood's police force know that I’m now working this case and have authority to do so. Do that and we’ll talk.” 

 

She chanced a look at Jake as Christopher chuckled and waxed on about how she hadn’t changed, Jake was looking at her like he didn’t know her. And though she knew she deserved it, it was still a jagged blade in her heart. He still stood by her, he still held his hand to her back and tried to angle his body in front of hers but he felt so distant she feared she’d never find him again. She shoved it down, down, down. Forcing herself back into what her dad had called the killing calm was easier than she’d thought it would be, there she felt nothing and was nothing but an instrument of justice or death, pick your poison. Either way, it wasn’t pretty. She looked away when Christopher said her name.

 

“Manon, is Alan Bloomgate there?” 

 

Of course he knew everything about everyone, she resisted rolling her eyes and said, “Hold on, I’ll check.” 

 

She put the Director of the FBI on hold and smiled while doing it, it was a snakelike thing but a smile all the same. 

 

“Chief Alan Bloomgate? Where is he?” She demanded loudly, the officers standing around began whispering nervously now, eyes darting over her diminutive frame and wondering what kind of power she held. 

 

“Here. May I ask why the hell you think you can come here and claim you are working MY case.” Came a really nice voice behind her, not as deep as Jake's but not far off. She turned, eyes glinting with predatory intent and an irreverent smile on her lips, he was rather handsome for an older man she noted stupidly, stress made her notice weird shit.

 

“Oh, there is no thinking. Wait a moment.” She didn’t wait for his reply, the death glare she was getting from him would have frightened anyone but her. She took Christopher off hold.

 

“Okay, I have Chief Alan Bloomgate here.”

 

Christopher hummed before replying, sounding delighted that she had come over to his side. 

 

“Excellent. Pass him the phone, Manon.”

 

She didn’t miss a stride at his familiarity because once upon a time, before he’d ever become director, he’d been a very good friend of her dads and she’d known him well, that friendship only deepened when he took over at the FBI. She handed Alan the phone, he took it gingerly as if afraid it was a trap and she’d rigged it to blow up the moment he took it from her, she gave him a saccharine smile. She couldn’t hear what Christopher was saying but by the way Alan was spluttering and couldn’t get a word in edgeways she knew Christopher was reading him the riot act. Bloomgate’s eyes widened on her with recognition clear in their pale blue depths, oh, yeah, she’d forgotten she was basically his number one suspect. He couldn’t arrest her now.

 

“ You have no right to do this!” Alan roared after a long while of being silent, he was getting twitchier the longer Chris spoke and Jake seemed to barely be breathing beside her as he realized the lengths she’d gone to for him and his sister, for them. Manon had to jump in at Alan’s latest comment though.

 

“That’s where you’re wrong, Alan. Two people have now been kidnapped on your watch and taken to another location against their will. That is the literal definition of a federal crime. Not forgetting that other small detail, of course, murder.” 

 

Alan visibly paled and swallowed hard, resignation clear in his steady gaze now. He looked utterly exhausted and Manon almost felt bad for him, almost. A few moments later Alan nodded and then agreed verbally, passing the phone back to Manon. 

 

“Is it done?” She clipped, too impatient now and body urging her to get going, to move and act. Christopher laughed indulgently.

 

“I have missed you, Corvin. Welcome back, Duskwood is yours.” The prick hung up and she shoved the phone into her vest pocket and looked meaningfully at Alan.

 

He heaved a sigh and fisted his hands on his hips as he looked down on her.

 

“You're wasting your time, there's nothing there except footprints and a few drops of blood, forensics are on their way. But you can explain why you didn’t answer my messages to come down for questioning later.”

 

Manon rolled her eyes. “That can wait for another day, I have two kidnappings and a murder to solve. Take me to the scene, Now.” She let every bit of irreverence and fire flowing in her blood show in her voice, the tightening of his shoulders told her she’d hit her mark. 

 

She refused to give him any slack. It was his fault that this had been allowed to go on as long as it had, if they’d been more proactive, this wouldn’t have happened. Jake was a ghost beside her, watching everything in that silent way of his but when he met her eye, it was like he’d thrown ice water over her every time.

 

"Follow Me." Alan spat and turned to lead them into the forest, Jake was safe now and Alan didn't know his face anyway.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

Alan had been right, there was nothing to see at the scene and that scared her, although Alan had left out the fact they'd found Richy's baseball cap and more raven feathers. She wanted to be sick when she saw the drops of blood on the bill of the cap and she couldn't look at it for too long. They'd stayed for over an hour to figure out how she was going to work the case alongside their investigation. She'd also given Alan a day and time to come to her house to discuss what they both had in way of evidence. He hadn't warmed up to her much but he did willingly agree to give her their files to read through, he'd promised to bring them with him when he visited her.

 

Jake was a statue of silence all the way home and she couldn't find the words to explain, everything she thought sounded too defensive. She pulled up to her house, the sun beginning to set now, and parked the car, both of them sat there, her staring blindly out the windshield trying to ignore the horrible tension between them. One wrong move and they'd break and burn, one wrong word and she'd never forgive herself. She looked over at him and found him watching her.

 

She saw it then, the blue of his eyes went dull, all traces of affection wiped away and it horrified her. Fuck, don't leave... But his face was wiped blank, he'd totally shut down and it was too late, bile rose up her throat, choking her and she didn't know how to fix it. She'd dove in headfirst with him, falling straight down from the rafters and now she was going to crash back to earth. Falling in love was the purest form of magic this cruel world offered, it often felt like being granted the power to fly and then plunging to the ground when they took the power back, leaving you crushed and forever changed. How he could ever forgive her she didn't know and when he opened his mouth to ask her one terrible question, she thought he never would.

 

"Did you plan to tell me before or after they arrested me? Because if this hadn't happened today, I still wouldn't have a clue."

 

Manon tried to tell him that she had wanted to tell him everything tonight but he unbuckled his belt and opened his door, not looking at her but he did say enough to destroy most of her control over herself.

 

"It doesn't matter, I need some air and time to think.”

 

His voice was glacial, nothing kind in it and she felt the cold sting of it long after he closed the door and walked away from her, disappearing amongst the trees. A light inside her flickered then went out, her mind going silent and she felt nothing, numb to her marrow. She slowly got out of the car and walked back into the house, knowing she couldn’t hide away until she had spoken to her friends. Before she walked into the living room, she frantically rebuilt her mental armour, the pieces not fitting like they used to but it would have to do. 

 

In the living room she mercifully managed to keep her face blank as she eyed her friends. Lilly and Cleo were consoling a sobbing Jessy, Dan looked murderous and she wished she had her temper to warm her but it had abandoned her too. Thomas was pacing and the look on his face caused Manon to flinch, the pain and distress there too raw. They noticed her then and by the way they looked at her she knew they knew. She looked to Steve and lifted a brow, his usual care for her clear in his warm eyes, he nodded before replying. 

 

“I filled them in on a few things, not the whole story.” 

 

She swallowed hard and gave him a weak close lipped smile that caused him to look concerned but she shook her head. Facing her friends instead, wanting this over with.

 

”Okay, explain to me why you thought it was a good idea to split up when I explicitly told you not to?” She said flatly, exhaustion trying to drag her down but she couldn’t give in until she got this out of the way.

 

Cleo and Thomas looked terribly guilty, Thomas clearly struggling and Jessy closed her eyes, a pitiful whimper when she opened her mouth to breathe. Manon wanted to go to her but if she tried to comfort someone right now she might never climb out of the hole she was in.

 

“It’s my fault.” Cleo said and Manon wordlessly told her to explain,  “it seemed silly to drag it out when there were four of us, so I suggested Jessy and Richy go to the garage and Thomas and I would go to the pawn shop. That way we could cut our time in town down. I thought it would be fine, he wasn’t alone and he’s been marked for ages, I didn’t think it would matter.” 

 

Manon sighed through her nose and rubbed at her temples, a monster headache was brewing and she needed to swallow a handful of ibuprofen then sleep for a week. 

 

“This isn’t a game. You all understand that right? I know it seems fun playing detective, it’s exciting and a break from this hell realm we live in. But it’s not about fun, lives are on the line. Your lives are all at risk, my life is on the damn line and I can’t have you disregarding your safety like this, I can’t protect you from your own stupidity.”

 

She was being too harsh but she couldn’t bring herself to care, to her surprise Cleo agreed. 

 

“I know. I’m so sorry, I thought it would be okay, I’ll never forgive myself.” Cleo was hiding her face in her hands and Thomas slumped into a chair, looking at Manon with sad eyes. 

 

“It’s not your fault, Cleo.” She tried to reassure her, this would’ve happened eventually, she looked to a despondent Thomas, “You okay?” Manon asked.

 

“No. Richy, he’s… he’s my best friend. When Cleo told me what happened I wanted to go into the forest myself but she convinced me not to. I shouldn’t have listened. I can’t believe we just left him there.”

 

Manon looked out the window to the setting sun and lied to herself that she wasn’t looking for Jake, trying not to worry about him being out there alone. She turned back to Thomas, feeling as if she’d crawl out of her skin if she didn’t escape this room soon. 

 

“That would’ve been the rankest form of stupidity. You can’t help him if you get taken too. The police are still at the scene, there was nothing there except Richy’s cap and a whole lot of Raven feathers.” She said quietly, the others took that in, Jessy groaning in despair.

 

“His cap? That’s all?” Dan finally spoke up, looking smaller somehow and his usual asshole façade was nowhere to be seen. 

 

“Yes. His dad is okay though. He was untied and ran into the police when he was making his way back home to call them.”

 

“Fucking hell. So he has 2 victims to hide now? How is he doing it?” Dan demanded and Manon shrugged, though she had long privately theorized the MWAF had an accomplice she didn’t want to voice it just yet. Not until she spoke with Jake, if he ever came back. 

 

“This has been planned for a long time, he isn’t an amateur. He knows how to cover his tracks and that makes him dangerous, Alan Bloomgate will be here on Saturday to speak to us all.” 

 

It was like she’d dropped a bomb, the reaction was so explosive. 

 

“What the fuck?!” Dan. 

 

“I don’t want to talk to them! This is their fault, they haven’t done their damn jobs!” Jessy.

 

“I’m usually the one begging you all to call the police but I agree, they don’t know their ass from their elbows.” Lilly.

 

“Oh brilliant, can I expect an interrogation?” Thomas asked and Manon shook her head, he slumped in relief. 

 

“What do we tell them?” Cleo asked. 

 

“The truth. Some of it. I’ll prepare you don’t worry, I’ll be working alongside the police at times but mostly I’ll be running my own investigation from here. We have a direct link to the kidnapper, I’m not giving them access to that and I am not letting them fumble this, so we plan and we wait. There is nothing else we can do.”

 

Jessy piped up then. 

 

“I managed to grab the old files from the garage and brought them back with me, I'll start looking through them tomorrow.” Her voice was tremulous but Manon was impressed with her dedication.

 

“Excellent Jessy, thank you. Okay, Cleo, did you at least find out who sold the bracelet?” She was so done now and ready to bolt. 

 

 

“I did…” she looked uncomfortable, eyes darting to Jessy then back to Manon and Manon knew what she was going to say next. 

 

“It was Phil. He sold the bracelet and Hannah bought it.”

 

Manon let out a cold laugh, Jessy wasn’t surprised only uncertain and Manon assumed Cleo had already told her. 

 

“And now we know why Hannah wanted to meet up with him. Thank you. Okay I have to go before I pass out, don’t leave this house for any reason, and don’t leave Jessy alone.” 

 

Manon didn’t wait for a reply and went to the kitchen, she grabbed a bottle of wine and turned to head upstairs but Steve was in her way.

 

“You okay? I saw him leaving. He looked upset.”  He said gently and Manon stiffened, clutching the wine like a lifeline. 

 

“I’m fine. I’ve only got myself to blame so I can’t get too upset. ” She didn’t sound convincing even to herself and Steve watched her knowingly, seeing the cracks in her hastily composed defenses.  

 

“You’re not fine, Mani. You-“

 

She cut him off, she couldn’t talk about this, not until she'd processed it herself. 

 

“Steve, I just want to go have a bath and wash this day off me, hopefully drink this entire bottle of wine and pass out. I’m okay.”  

 

He sighed, disbelieving but he didn’t push her, he knew she was immovable when her mind was made up. 

 

“Okay, Christopher called me. I’ve been given leave to stay here for 2 more days.” He smiled gently and she tried to return it, she wasn’t successful if him tugging her into a hug was any measure. 

 

“It’ll all work out, you’ll see.” He whispered and she couldn’t breathe around the lump in her throat, she pulled back and frantically swallowed it down.

 

“Maybe. Can you make sure he gets back okay? Lock the house up when he does?” 

 

Steve agreed, “I’ll do that, Mani.” 

 

“Thank you.” 

 

 

With that settled, Manon walked away, not daring to drop her defenses until she was behind her bedroom door. In the bathroom, she sat on the lip of the bath while it filled and swigged at the bottle of wine, the alcohol melting some of the ice inside her. She just had to feel something other than complete numbness and desolation, she felt she’d shatter into a million pieces if she didn’t.

 

When the tub was filled she undressed and sank into it, relishing the heat that almost scalded her. She had to hand it to herself as she lay there, slowly working her way to being tipsy and easing the ache in her bones, she’d managed to fuck everything up far more than if she’d just told him the truth from the start. She snorted derisively and shook her head, swishing wine around her mouth to get rid of the tart taste of Jake's impending goodbye. But there was an insidious voice whispering in her ear and it spoke the truth, though it wouldn’t solve anything.

 

 

He can’t keep his secrets if you can’t keep yours too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JAKE

 

 

 

 

 

He hadn't walked away because he hated what she did, he didn’t like that she’d kept it from him but he understood it even if he was pissed off. He couldn't help but think she didn't trust him enough to tell him and he'd kept just as many secrets himself, so he couldn't blame her if she didn't trust him. He hadn’t even told her his last name or anything other than surface-level crap. He didn't know how to open up and he had needed to get away from the situation because he didn’t want to make it worse by clamming up and making her feel like he didn’t care.

 

He was terrified she was doing everything purely for him and to save him, he didn't want that. He hated the idea of her coming to resent him if things got too hard. He'd do the same thing for her but he'd never had anyone in his corner, not since his mom had died. He wasn't sure how to deal with it so he'd gone to the place he'd brought Manon and had watched the sunset while he tore himself apart, he was so lost in thought that he didn't notice Steve until he sat down beside him.


"I tracked your phone, figured I should help you two idiots out before you fuck it all up."

 

He said lightly and Jake looked over at him, annoyance shooting through him at the fact he'd managed to track him but then he wasn't being nearly as careful with his phone as he used to be. He’d have to step it up. Steve waited for him to speak and Jake only had one question he wanted to ask him.



“Is Manon okay?” Regret swirled sickeningly in his stomach, making him feel too heavy, Steve smiled tightly.



“You two need your heads bashed together,” Jake sighed but didn’t speak, Steve went on, “This cloak and dagger shit you’ve both been doing, it’ll only result in more of this. You need to talk it out.”



Jake knew that but he didn’t know how to say what was in his head and heart.



“I don’t know how.” He admitted through clenched teeth and Steve chuckled.



“Nobody does, you just have to try. Look, Manon loves a mystery, she likes to put the pieces together but you’ve given her almost nothing to work with. I get that you have been on the run and secrecy has kept you alive, but there’s no need now. She's done the same thing, I know that, but with her, it's more complicated. She's hiding from the past. You can’t fix it if you don’t try though.” Steve said, sounding far wiser than his easy-going manner would suggest.


“Did she send you here?” He asked, feeling sick at the thought of her worrying about him.

Steve shook his head. “No she’s just as bad as you, she put on a good show for her friends but she can’t fool me. She asked me to make sure you got back okay but I took the liberty of tracking you down.”



Jake smiled softly even as his heart sank into his stomach, guilt thick and rancid rose up his throat at the idea of her trying to put on a brave face and deal with the aftermath of Richy’s attack alone. He shouldn’t have left, he was worst kind of person for abandoning her.


“I don’t deserve her, I shouldn’t have left her to deal with that alone.” He sighed.

 

“No, you shouldn’t have. But it’s done now and the best thing you can do is go back and fix it.” Steve got up and began to head back the way he came.


“Oh, and Jake?” He said and Jake turned to him, Steve smiled.

 

“Let her decide if you deserve her, you’ll get nowhere thinking like that.”



Jake had nothing to say to that and could only nod as Steve gave him a smile and walked away. Jake turned back to the view of the forest that had made Manon light up like a goddamn firework and the memory of her bright smile when he’d brought her here set his heart racing. Darkness was falling swiftly now and he knew he should leave but couldn't seem to make himself move.

 

He sat there for a little while longer, going through his favorite memories with her, and with each flash of her wicked smile in his mind's eye, he felt certainty replacing his fear. He hadn’t been sure of much in the last decade but he was sure of one thing right now. She was it for him and he’d be a a fucking fool to let his issues fuck it up, he had to make sure she knew he was in this just as much as she was. He stood up and gave the forest one last look before following Steve’s steps back home.




Jake was done running and hiding in the dark, he wanted to live in the daylight.

Notes:

I’d say sorry but I’m not, I’ve been looking forward to this part and have had the main scene written for a year now, it was the first thing I wrote for this fic. Tune in next time to see how Manon and Jake deal with the events of this chapter and finally drop their cloaks and daggers. Chapter fourteen will be dual POV, Jake and Manon, it takes place on the same night! The loving needs the bleeding, so no smut in this chapter. I did have a scene in the middle but it didn’t flow well in amongst the chaos. Chapter fourteen is in the works, however, I will update my new Game of Thrones fanfic before releasing that!

Side note; I know fuck all about guns, I googled a lot but I chose to be vague instead. Too much to do wrong!

Chapter 14: 'Cause the moon don't pick sides and the sun won't resign until you're by my side

Summary:

After the fall, comes the crash and then the healing. So I left them in a pretty bad spot, huh? This takes place the same night as chapter 13. Manon and Jake have ALOT to talk about but not everything can be solved in a night. Manon finally drops her armor and lets Jake in. It got way fluffier than I intended.

This is a romance story with a guaranteed happy ending for Jake and Manon, they just have a few flaws and issues to work out before they get there. It’s long, seriously, each one gets bigger and I can’t stop myself, I’m a wordy bitch and I’m not sorry.

Notes:

I was going to make you guys wait for this and focus on my other fic but I couldn’t concentrate on it knowing things were up in the air here! So you get this early! I hope you enjoy it and thank you for all the love you’ve shown my little (it’s a lengthy monster now) story, every comment I get makes my day!

I finally got a new laptop, it’s a speedy bitch and I can finally stop writing on my phone! Do you know how hard it is to write and edit 10k words on an iPhone screen? Horrible. So I’m buzzing with excitement to write now! I got it last night and haven’t stopped writing since.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 


blood

 

 

 

“I'll never know

If there's danger in confession

Or its memory that presses

Like a blade against my throat

Another word and I could choke

 

But what's worse?

 

Telling you my feelings

Or to die without revealing

That you crawled inside my head

And set a fire there instead

Letting all my insecurity

Devour me with certainty

 

That love is just a currency

So take my pockets, take me whole

Take my life and take my soul

Wrap me in a wedding ring

 

You know, I swear I'd give you anything

 

Ya'aburnee - Halsey

*******

 

 

 

 

 

MANON

 

 

 

 

Manon stayed in the bath until her fingers were wrinkled and the water had gone tepid, she'd given up on the wine when she remembered she hadn't eaten anything but toast that day. She felt slightly light-headed but markedly more human after rinsing the day down the drain. She brushed her teeth and threw on her robe, trying not to remember that first night here when Jake had – no, not going there. She picked up her phone and checked her email, her lawyer still hadn't gotten back to her, unusual for Camille but she didn't have the mental strength to deal with it tonight.

 

When she looked back on her life, she could divide it up into blocks of complete contentedness and then soul-destroying despair and rage. All of them fractured and ripped at the edges, some hastily patched up but they came together to create a tapestry of who she was now, each thread intertwined to create something beautiful but still damaged. Manon tried not to look back, it wasn't where she wanted to go but the weight of the past hung around her neck like a millstone, dragging her down and directing her every decision no matter if she pretended otherwise. She often felt as if there was a bomb inside her head and she wasn't able to disarm it, only listen as it ticked down to her destruction. She knew it only had seconds left on the clock before it detonated and she was frantically cutting wires to prevent it but all she was doing was making it worse, she needed help and that wasn't a weakness. It was a strength and it had taken her too long to realize that.

 

Manon heaved a sigh and set her phone down, trying to dredge up the courage she needed to leave the bathroom and face her empty bedroom. Gods, what if he just left without telling anyone? She'd never know if he'd left on his own or if something had forced his hand, it didn't sit right with her. Her dad had often told her that not everyone would like her and they didn't have to so long as she liked herself, right now she didn't think she could stand another second in her own body. She wished she could turn into a drop of rain, a lick of flame, or a clap of thunder, anything other than Manon but she couldn't. She wasn't built to run away and it was time to act like it, she mentally gave herself a shake before unlocking the door and opening it.

 

She took all of one step before coming to a halt, the breath she took catching in her chest when she saw Jake waiting for her, perched on the edge of the bed, his head in his hands. He slowly looked up at her and she saw how scared he was, nervous hands now fidgeting with the cuffs of his black hoody but determination shone brightly in those opal eyes. The idea she could make a man his size nervous was almost funny but she understood it, she found him intimidating too. She hovered in the doorway unsure of what to do with herself, she had no idea what to say or how to make it better but she didn't have to. Jake pushed up from the bed and walked to her, each step filled with purpose. She froze as he pulled her into his arms and breathed her in, his heart was pounding under her cheek and it broke her from her shocked trance. She returned the hug and let herself soak in some of his strength to ease her own ailing reserves.

 

Manon had expected him to come in, sword raised and battle cries falling from his lips but he always managed to surprise her, she didn't understand why she kept betting against him. He sighed into her hair before pulling back enough to look her in the eye, his words cracking her wide open and spilling her heart for all to see.

 

“I'm so fucking sorry. I shouldn't have left you to deal with everything alone. You didn't deserve that.” His voice was ragged with barely suppressed emotion she felt echoed within herself. She had expected to do the apologizing and hadn't planned for his, she had a hundred speeches she'd thrown out because none had seemed enough.

 

“Why are you sorry? I fucked up.” She said, perplexed and Jake shook his head.

 

“No, we've both been hiding things but I should never have walked away. I don't want to run anymore.”

 

Manon stared up at him, a dangerous hope beginning to bloom at the sincerity in his eyes but she didn't trust it yet and looked away from his piercing gaze, hunting for the words to explain herself. She felt as though she was standing in the eye of the storm but she wasn't afraid, only nervous and uncertain.

 

“What if you don't like what you hear? Will you run then?” She had to know before she flayed her skin from her bones and exposed her deepest hurts to him, she couldn't show him all her darkness if he would bolt the second she did. She wasn't a masochist. Jake shocked her again, smiling so wide she was stunned by the beauty of it, both dimples flashing making her heart race.

 

“There is nothing you could possibly say that would make me walk away from you, I didn't leave earlier because I was mad at you,” he sucked in a breath and she held hers as he forged on, “I was mad at myself and annoyed that my keeping secrets caused you to keep things from me.”

 

Manon could only stand there as his hands caressed her back, the silk slipping over her bare skin, and some of the tension leeched out of her at the casual touch. She nervously licked at her dry lips and watched as his eyes dipped to her mouth, the pull to lose herself in his body almost too strong to ignore but she couldn't put things off any longer.

 

“I want to tell you, no, I need to tell you. I just don't know how, I've never told anyone. Not even my therapist.” Her weak attempt at a joke didn't land but he seemed to understand.

 

Jake pulled away, taking hold of her hand and leading her to the bed where he let her go and sat up against the headboard, inviting her to settle between his legs. She clumsily did so and leaned back against his chest, his arms coming around her to hold her and still her anxious hands that had begun picking at her nails. She felt a flare of warmth in her chest at how easily he understood her, somehow knowing she couldn't look at him while she revisited the past she'd tried so hard to leave back home. Slowly, she relaxed by inches, counting each steady inhale he took to calm her heart. He didn't speak until he was sure she had settled down.

 

“You don't have to tell me anything, I don't want to hurt you. But I'm not going anywhere, I can wait.” He sounded so genuine it steeled her resolve.

 

“No, I want to. Can you promise me one thing though?”

 

His reply was instant. “Anything, Manon.”

 

She smiled softly and closed her eyes, standing on the edge of the cliff for a second before taking the leap and trusting him to catch her.

 

“Don't pity me, I don't need it. I just need you to understand, can you do that?”

 

Jake kissed the crown of her head and lifted a hand to play with her hair, the gentleness of it lighting her up inside.

 

“I'd never pity you, admire you, definitely, but never that.”

 

She nodded once and steadied herself, staring off to the side as her demons begged her to open her mouth, she was tired of fighting them. She unclenched her teeth and let them loose, trusting him to never use them against her and keep them safe. 

 

“6 years ago, I'd not long finished my training at the FBI. I had interned during college but it was nothing close to what I faced as an agent. Of course, my dad had been training me since I could safely hold a gun and throw a punch... All my life all I wanted was to be like him and make him proud, when I got my badge I finally felt like I had.”

 

She paused, needing a moment before she soldiered on.

 

“He was so fucking proud when I got my first case and solved it, telling everyone that asked and those that didn't, how amazing his daughter was. I felt invincible and believed I was as well, that would be my downfall.”

 

Jake tightened his arms around her, reassuring her he wasn't going anywhere.

 

“Tell me about your dad.” He asked gently and she smiled, allowing the memories of him to flood her mind.

 

“He was everything I wanted to be and I couldn't have asked for a better dad, he was tough when he needed to be but he was gentle too. He was huge, so tall it hurt my neck to look up at him but he was so soft under the facade he wore for the world. Those he worked with and put away saw him as lethal and dangerous, which he was but to me he was a big teddy bear and the safest place I knew. He worked in the media and wrote books on the cases he solved, I'd help with those when I was old enough and he made sure I was prepared for everything I could face when I followed in his footsteps. He never pushed me into it though, he actually tried to talk me out of it when I told him what I wanted to be, I was 7 and it was the first time I saw true fear on his face, I was too young to remember the terror he'd worn when my mom died.”

 

She stopped as emotion clogged her throat and was grateful when Jake redirected her thoughts.

 

“What happened to her?”

 

Manon had no memories of her mom, only photos and keepsakes, the jewelry she'd been left after her dad passed. But her mind conjured the image anyway, a frail but beautiful woman with laughter in her eyes and a deep love for her dad that was clear in every photo of them together. Her long raven hair and ever-present mischievous smile showed her exactly why her dad had fallen for her.

 

“She died when I was 2, cancer. She was sick a lot before that though and she couldn't fight it, 3 months after her diagnosis she passed and my dad had to pick himself up and somehow raise a toddler that couldn't understand why her mom had disappeared. I remember bits and pieces of the years after, how every year on their wedding anniversary he'd take me on vacation because he'd promised her he'd make sure I did everything she couldn't. He never remarried or even looked at another woman, she was his other half and that didn't stop being true just because she was gone.”

 

Jake hummed behind her, fingers gently trailing over her silk-clad thigh.

 

“What was her name?” He whispered and she smiled, pleased he cared enough to ask.

 

“Ember. Ember Corvin. They took each other's names when they married but he used his own name for work. When I came along she insisted I be an Adair and my dad reluctantly agreed once she reminded him how many stitches she had to get after giving birth.” She chuckled, from what she'd been told, despite her illnesses her mom was a spitfire and even Magnus Adair was terrified of that tiny woman when she got started.

 

“She sounds like you, I could see you saying something like that.”

 

Manon grinned, nudging him with her elbow and getting a low laugh for it.

 

“You have both names now though.” He prodded and the smile slid off her face, the moment of lightness over now.

 

“After he died, I didn't feel like I deserved to have his name and I had nothing of my mom so I added her name to it and went by that instead. I thought I could become something she could be proud of that way.”

 

She had never admitted any of this to anyone, not even Steve and she felt as if she'd taken a razor to her skin and made thousands of tiny cuts, she felt so very exposed but she wasn't as scared of it as she'd thought she'd be. Jake was a soothing presence behind her, the heat of him easing her stiff muscles and the silent, unwavering support he was offering helped her give voice to the words she'd long used to torture herself.

 

“It was my fault. I may as well have shot him myself.” She spoke so quietly she wondered if Jake would even hear her but his arms pulled her closer and he tried to reassure her she was blameless but she cut him off.

 

“No, don't, I don't want you to tell me it wasn't, I know it was. I was too confident, impatient, and desperate to make a name for myself that I didn't listen to him. He told me to wait but I ignored him.”

 

She didn't have to look at him to know he was biting his tongue hard, she was glad she didn't have to watch when she destroyed his idea of her. Every memory of that time came flying at her, a sick reel of her failures that she usually kept locked in a box deep in the recesses of her mind and she didn't know if she'd withstand the assault, each one tearing at her until her chest felt impossibly tight. She struggled to verbalize it and Jake sensed it, hands grasping at hers to tame her edgy fidgeting and that small gesture halted the attack long enough for her to speak.

 

“I was working a case, a really bad one and it was taking its toll. We couldn't get anything to nail them and it was driving me insane. Every day more women were taken, the most vulnerable of society and I had to sit there and wait until a body was found, we knew we'd never find them until then. Not that we didn't try, I didn't sleep for weeks trying to find them before they could kill them. I was always too late, I hated it and had to stop it, I thought I had a way.”

 

She laughed bitterly, throat thick and eyes stinging with unshed tears but she wouldn't let them fall, not yet. Jake squeezed her hand three times and she did it back, certain it meant something but still not sure what, it felt important somehow.

 

“I got a call one night, it was after midnight and the first real break we'd had. I had an informant who knew a few of the members of the gang responsible. He told me there was a meeting planned within the hour between the inner circle, he gave me an address and it led to a warehouse in the middle of nowhere. We could never figure out where they were keeping the victims until they could be sold or killed, they had places all over the city and moved every time we got close. I woke my dad and explained the situation, he was just as excited as me and agreed to come with me to check it out. I never planned to actually face them, only watch and learn.”

 

She chanced a glance at Jake and found him watching her with nothing but encouragement and that unspoken love in his eyes, she turned away and loosed a breath before forcing herself to face it.

 

“We didn't have time to waste and left with nothing but our guns and badges, nothing to protect us if anything should happen but I was with my dad. Nothing could ever hurt me if I was with him, he wasn't working the case but he wouldn't let me go alone and I wanted him to see me in action, he'd helped forge me into a weapon and I wanted him to see it, really see it. We hid the car and walked the last stretch to the warehouse, finding a spot to hide and watch as they arrived.”

 

Jake was barely breathing behind her as memory took over and she was dragged under the current, torn away from the here and now.

 

 

Six years ago...

 

Manon looked at her dad, his tense face still showed that pride she so cherished and she was glad it was him here with her, he gave her a small, strained smile that instantly fell when the cars arrived. There were two of them and Manon watched as the leader exited his and his bodyguard got out the passenger side, walking behind him as he entered the dark warehouse. Strange he only had the one with him tonight but she knew this meeting wasn't the normal type, something had gone wrong. A smaller man got out of the other car, yelling at his guard to stand at the door to the warehouse, and swaggered inside too, she hardly dared to breathe and her dad was still as stone beside her.

 

Then the door opened again and the other guard came back out, heading to the trunk of the car and Manon's stomach sank into her boots, her volatile temper simmering like a lidded pot on the stove when he opened it and reached inside. Her dad cursed under his breath, so quiet she wouldn't have heard it if they weren't practically standing on top of each other and he gripped her upper arm painfully when the guard dragged a struggling woman out of the trunk, she was bound at the wrists and ankles with rope and tape over her mouth. Manon struggled against her dad's hold but he only dragged her closer, hissing into her ear.

 

You can't save them if you run in there alone, you know better than that, Manon.”

 

His hazel eyes were hard and she knew he was right but everything in her screamed at her to save this woman, to stop these bastards before they ruined more lives. Her dad gave her no quarter, staring her down, and didn't let her go until she nodded, silently promising she'd stay put. He smiled approvingly but it was tinged with his own rage and she knew this was just as difficult for him, he wanted to run in too. Instead, they watched the man drag the woman into the warehouse, Manon refused to look away from her tear-stained face until the door slammed shut, someone had to witness her last moments.

 

It was so quiet now, her heartbeat and her dad's steady breathing the only sounds and she looked on in disbelief as the guard at the door took out his phone and called who she could only assume was his girlfriend if the innuendos were anything to go by. She ground her teeth and clenched her fists, itching to hit someone and trying to avoid reaching for her gun and ending him. Her dad sighed drawing her attention and when she looked at him he inclined his head and silently crept away, she followed him, looking back at the guard to make sure he hadn't noticed. She followed her dad around the side of the building and almost ran into him, he'd stopped as soon as he'd turned the corner.

 

What's wrong?” she breathed and she saw every case he'd ever worked weighing heavy on him tonight, she felt terrible for bringing him here.

 

I'm going to call for backup, something isn't right.”

 

Her heart skipped a beat and she watched in a trance as he called his friend, demanding backup and an ambulance for the victim. She watched as his face went from cold determination to red hot fury when Chris told him they were half an hour away, they didn't have that kind of time. Her dad agreed to wait and she felt something inside her snap, she couldn't allow someone to die when she was right here. He hung up and she saw the apologies in his eyes but they meant nothing to her then.

 

No. No way.” She spat, still whispering.

 

Manon, I know it's hard but you have to be patient.” His jaw was ticking he was gritting it so hard and she knew he wanted to kill the men too, her very blood felt like fire in her veins she was so furious. She felt useless, she’d sworn to protect and serve yet here she was waiting around while someone suffered.

 

And that's when the screaming started.

 

They both jolted, the sound so full of pain and anguish she could hardly stand to listen, her dad reached for his gun and she slid hers out of the holster. The woman was begging now and Manon couldn't wait any longer, she gave her dad a look and saw realization dawn on his face a second too late, she was already gone.


She carefully inched around the side of the building and looked for the guard, he had his back to her and she took advantage of the fact he was still too busy sweet talking his girlfriend to check behind him. She was on him before her dad could get a hold of her, slamming the butt of the gun into his temple with a sickening crunch and smiling in twisted satisfaction when he dropped like a sack of stones. She bent down and hung up the call, the woman on the other end shouting his name. She turned it off and pocketed it, it could help later. Her dad was beside her then, pushing her behind him and giving her an order.

 

Stay behind me, no matter what you stay behind me. Promise me, Manon.”

 

She silently agreed and relief filled his eyes, he squared his broad shoulders and walked in the front door, she kept close to him until the door closed behind her and she looked around the small room. There was nothing there but another door straight ahead, not even a window and she began to feel trapped, the horrible scent of blood and fear hanging heavy in the air. She shivered and watched as her dad stalked over to the door and went through it, no hesitation in him now. She made to follow and halted just outside the doorway when a slippery voice called out.

 

Nice of you to finally join us, Magnus.”

 

Everything inside Manon froze as those words ricocheted through her and she cursed herself vilely, they'd been lured here and it was her doing. She was panicking, unable to think clearly until her dad spoke, cocky to the last and it calmed her down a bit.

 

Took a wrong turn, I hope you didn't start without me. I'd hate to miss the fun.”

 

She steeled her spine and crossed the threshold, gun raised and eyes darting around as she took in the scene, darting behind a palette of what looked to be building supplies. Her dad faced the two men, the leaders' guard and lower ranking member both looking smug, Magnus held his gun carelessly at his side and she knew it would take a miracle to get them out of this. The men glanced at each other before facing her dad again, neither had noticed her yet and she prayed her luck would hold, she saw no sign of the leader.

 

Where is that runt of yours? Shame she followed your example, I could've made a fortune off of her.”

 

Manon went still and watched as her dad's hand twitched, the only sign that they'd got to him, and again she cursed herself, wishing she could turn back time and tell herself to wait. Her vision sharpened on the scene in front of her, both men looking triumphant at their victory, she watched a drop of water slide down the wall behind them, the woman lying on the ground whimpered, broken and bruised but mercifully still alive. Her dad said something but she couldn't hear him over the rush of blood in her ears and could only watch as he raised his gun, trying to take one of them out before they noticed her.

 

It happened too fast after that, the guard lifted his own weapon and aimed it at her dad, she didn't think, just moved, yelling at him to duck and when he didn’t, she ran at him wanting to use her own body as a shield but she was too late. She managed to take down the guard, her shot going through his neck, blood misting the air before he fell and her dad managed to wound the other man but not enough to stop him, his usual perfect aim had failed him. Everything moved in both hyper speed and slow motion, it was dizzying.

 

She reached him seconds after the first bullet did, the second and third shots hitting their mark as well but the fourth hit her. It went straight through her shoulder. She grit her teeth and snarled, firing at the other man but not watching as he fell, trying to support her dad's weight as his legs gave out and she collapsed to the floor with him. She frantically patted and pulled at his shirt, nauseating blooms of dark red staining the white too fast, she felt every last beat of his heart as his life’s blood flooded the floor around him, her own mingling with it. His last gasping breath the ghost that would haunt her for the next six years. His last words were both prayer and desperate demand. 

 

Don’t you dare die. You have to go, Manon. Live.” 

 

She felt the blood under her hands, the warmth of it turning clammy then cold as it thickened between her fingers, the slip and slide of it as she tried desperately to hold onto the shattered fragments of herself, hoping to find a piece to fashion into a dagger to end this torment.

 

She was sobbing and blind and deaf to the world as she clung to her dad's lifeless body, his blood staining her skin, an indelible mark she knew would linger forever like a tattoo. The shot she’d taken in the shoulder felt as if someone had poured acid into her veins, she didn’t care and wished it had hit something vital so she didn’t have to live through this. She didn’t hear the door opening, she didn’t hear the calm footsteps coming closer but she did hear the words the leader said as he finally revealed himself.

 

Magnus Adair is dead? I’ll have to give John a raise.” 

 

Manon slowly lifted her tear and blood-stained face, devastation warring with the rage in her veins at the name of her informant, she stared up at him and saw nothing but red, her vision tinted by the blaze inside her. He clutched his gun as he looked around carelessly, circling them and eyeing his prize, just another enemy of her dads but this time they'd lost and wouldn't walk away. She didn’t dare take her eyes off him, even when he went behind her and knew she didn’t have long left on this earth, she was grateful. She didn’t want to live through this night or any other. But she would take him with her, she had her own gun in hand, hidden between her thighs. 

 

I will kill you. I will bring you down with my fucking teeth if I have to. You will die.” She swore, spitting blood through her teeth as her body trembled with adrenaline and righteous fury.

 

He laughed, sounding so condescending she had to force her mouth shut before she lost her advantage. She wasn’t wearing a vest so she knew when they fired, they’d both die. She welcomed it. 

 

 “That’s not how this goes, bitch. Get up.” He barked at her, patience wearing thin now they could hear distant sirens coming towards the warehouse, the cavalry arriving far too late.

 

He waved the gun at her, looking behind him to the open door and she slowly rose, hiding her own weapon behind her back. He turned back to her and smirked, sure he was about to earn himself lifelong infamy amongst his peers for taking down the Adairs. She forced every scrap of swagger and irreverence she possessed into her body, grinning wickedly at him, and was pleased to see he looked apprehensive now.

 

Any last words?” He was such a cliche and she couldn’t keep the laugh behind her teeth, his male ego clearly wounded that she wouldn’t beg and plead. 

 

Only two” She crooned and he frowned, finger resting on the trigger, but he waited. 

 

Fuck you.” She snarled and aimed for his head, pulling the trigger at the same time he did, his eyes going wide. 

  

There was no time to move out of the way or to try and minimize where she got hit. She did not miss, blood, bone, and brain matter gave way to her bullet, the shock on his face as he toppled over amusing her. But he didn't miss either, his shot hit low but she felt something vital wink out and a wet heat spread too quickly over her front and back. The pain didn’t hit her until she fell over her dad, their blood mixing and she hoped she saw him again if only long enough to apologize. 

 

She didn’t remember the hours after they’d been found, there were flashes of Christopher and Steve hovering above her looking petrified, flashing lights, and a hospital theatre. She woke days later, drugged up and heavily bandaged under the scratchy hospital sheets, the smell of disinfectant laying heavy in her lungs. The tube down her throat had scraped it raw, her mouth dryer than ash and she could still taste iron. She blinked the fog away from her eyes, her head pounding, and looked around her room, she had a private one and there were flowers everywhere, the cloying scent of the lilly’s turning her tender stomach. Steve was sleeping in an awkward position in the chair beside her bed, he looked terrible like he’d been there for days. She later found out he had been and hadn’t dared to leave her since they’d brought her in. He’d even tried to attack Chris when he came in hoping she was awake to question her. 

 

She made a noise, trying to speak around the thing down her throat and Steve sat up, instantly alert. Concern and grief were clear on his face and her heart sped up, the machine beeping as it kept climbing, her mind supplying information she'd hoped wasn't true. Steve tried to calm her down but she couldn't get enough air, she was trying to scream and beg for death, she didn't want to live with herself and didn't deserve to. She clawed at the wires attached to her body and attempted to get up, Steve holding her down with strength as she thrashed. A nurse came rushing in at the racket and told Steve to hold her still while she injected something into her IV, Manon trying to fight it until she was dragged under the blissful blackness of unconsciousness.

 

 

The familiar sight of her room came back into focus as she climbed back into herself, Jake still holding her and trying to gently wipe away her tears, she hadn't cried in years. She took in a shuddering breath and cleared her throat, feeling raw and broken but somehow lighter. Saying it to someone other than herself felt cleansing like sucking the poison from an aging wound and she hadn't expected that.

 

 

 

Jake

 

 

He could only hold her and offer comfort as she cried and bared her soul to him. The sound of her voice breaking as she got to the end of her sorry tale threatened to tear his heart from his chest. He'd imagined a thousand scenarios and hurts but had never come close, how she'd managed to survive it and keep going was beyond him. She felt so small in his arms and he knew she was waiting for him to leave, she thought herself damned and it broke him. She sniffled and shook a hand free to swipe at her face, the tears slowing now she'd finished.

 

“So, now you know. Now you know how badly things can go wrong and why I was so determined to come here.” Her voice was quiet but not weak and he felt helpless, unsure how to make it better, he knew he wouldn't have been able to live on if he'd watched his mom die like that. It had been bad enough that she'd died the way she had.

 

“I can't believe you're sitting here right now, most people wouldn't have walked away from it.” He said the idea of not having her in his life so abhorrent he refused to consider it.

 

“I think I survived out of pure spite, I wanted to die but at the same time I didn't want to give him the satisfaction.”

 

He made a pained sound at that, she'd wanted to die and had done for a long time after if he put all the pieces she'd let slip together.

 

“Whatever it was I'm grateful. You didn't deserve to die.”

 

She turned to face him and the emotion in her eyes almost knocked the air from his lungs.

 

“Thank you.” She said simply and he frowned.

 

“What for?”

 

She smiled softly, “For understanding and not telling me that I'm strong, I hate when people say that. I was strong without that happening and it makes it seem like he had to die for me to be considered so.”

 

He sighed and leaned down to kiss her, trying to reassure himself she was okay. She tasted like salt and mint, returning the kiss as eagerly as him. He stopped it before it could lead to anything, needing to share something with her too and show her he trusted her as much as she did him. First, though she had to know she wasn't at fault.

 

“Manon, it wasn't your fault. You were led there unknowingly and your dad made the decision to go inside. You don't have to shoulder the blame, he wouldn't want you to carry that with you.”

 

She closed her eyes and breathed deeply, he could see her struggling to accept the words but he wouldn't hear it.

 

“Don't, you said you wouldn't be the kidnapper's martyr, don't become one for this. He told you to live, you can't do that if you don't let go.”

 

She was watching him closely, those emerald eyes clear and bright as she nodded and let it go, for now, he knew he'd have this conversation again. He took a breath and dove in headfirst.

 

“My real name is Jacob Donfort Allwood.”

 

He wanted to laugh at the expression on her face but held it in, shock warring with happiness that he'd actually revealed something to her. She smiled before replying.

 

“Allwood comes from your mom, I'm guessing?”

 

“Yeah, she added the Donfort out of respect for him but I rarely use it. I want nothing from him.”

 

She inclined her head in understanding and he felt like she just might get it, it made him feel warm inside.

 

“What happened to your mom?” She asked tentatively and he exhaled through his nose, looking to the ceiling as he remembered his mother.

 

She had been a force of nature, take no prisoners type of woman and she had to be with him as a son, he was always getting into trouble. But she was also quiet in how she dealt with the world, preferring to defend rather than attack and keep her cards close to the vest. Her dark hair was the only thing he got from her, though his wasn't curly like hers had been. She had worked too much but loved her job and she loved him with a fierceness that meant he never felt like he was missing a dad.



“She was out on a rare night out with her friends, she didn't get out much because she worked 14-hour days at the hospital but she managed to get her shift changed. She was walking home, we lived in the city so she only had a few blocks to walk. A drunk driver mounted the pavement and hit her, she didn't have a chance.”



Manon turned in his arms and buried her face in his neck, whispering apologies but he'd long since made peace with it. The fact the driver had gone to prison helped, he'd had an active warrant for drug charges and it helped make sure he was sent down. He'd been out of town at the time or he'd have picked her up, he still felt guilty about that but knew she'd kick his ass six ways from Sunday if he tried to take the blame. Manon sat up again and asked the question he'd long been expecting.



“Did this happen around the time you decided to hack and release sensitive information?” There was a weak teasing tone to the question and he was so fucking thankful for it.



“It did. I, Uhm, I was lost and I just wanted to feel something other than guilt and shame for not being there, for choosing money over her. I had my own security company and it was high paying, companies would hire me to break through their defenses and show them how easily I did it, then I'd help them patch up the weaknesses. It made me a rich man but when she died, it all felt meaningless.”



Manon clicked her tongue and settled against his chest again, her free hand drawing circles on his thigh in an attempt to comfort him.



“Gods, we really are a pair, aren't we? Tragic back story, misplaced blame, and walls of secrecy, it's the beginnings of an amazing novel.” She jested and he chuckled, kissing her crown.



“Everyone has a tragic story, some more brutal than others but we're all battling our own demons.” He murmured.



She hummed, “I sometimes feel like I'm battling the Devil himself, I intend to win.”



He smiled and knew she'd do it, she already looked stronger than she had when she'd come out of the bathroom. She'd looked so exhausted and dazed he hadn't been able to stop himself from comforting her. She'd expected him to bolt and he could only accept that, all he ever did was run. Until now, until her.



“What did you find that resulted in the last four years?” She asked, no judgment in her voice, only curiosity.



He thought about keeping it from her but she'd given him everything, he could only offer the same.



“It's actually sort of connected to my mom. The Governor in our state was known for taking bribes but nobody could ever find evidence. So I went looking and discovered his son was heavily involved in drug trafficking and had been the source the drunk driver used. Whenever anyone got too close to the truth his father would silence them and pay them off, I found concrete evidence. Photos, videos, and emails. I released them and within hours they were on me.”



Manon heaved a frustrated sigh and asked, “What happened to the son?”



A wave of old familiar anger filtered into him, the coldness of it biting but it didn't sting as much as it once had.



“His father sent him away, he's not in the country. All trace of the hack was hidden and denied, the Governor kept his office until another quietly took his place. He lives in my home city still and every so often sends people looking for me. Last I heard he was sick and I'm hoping when he dies I can stop looking over my shoulder.”



Manon went rigid and Jake mentally prepared himself, whatever she was going to say had made her lock up and he was nervous. 



“You don't have to worry about it anymore.” She said with a tone of finality and he could detect no fallacy.



“Why not?” He sounded a bit stunned to his own ears, his heart seeming to still.



“I offered Chris a deal, me for your freedom. I didn't do it just for you though, so don't start!” She warned when he tried to object, “I wanted to, I needed to get back a part of me I thought was dead. I needed their resources to solve this case and I took advantage of the fact they wanted me back. I haven't accepted the deal officially yet, they made a few demands and I have to hash them out with Chris first.”



He heard no doubt in her tone and his head was deadly quiet, this fucking woman. He'd planned to offer himself up for her if it ever came to it and she'd beat him to it, he should've seen it coming. He was silent for so long that she began picking at her nails again, an anxious habit and he blew out a hard breath, shaking himself, she had more tricks up her sleeve than daggers.



“Manon, I don't want you to sign your life away for me. I can't watch you start to hate me.”



She groaned, “I didn't and I won't, this was long overdue. Anyway, I haven't signed anything yet and won't until I know exactly what they expect.”



“Why didn't you tell me? Why do all this for people you've only just met?” He breathed, head still deafeningly quiet and he felt a bit uneasy when she shrugged him off and got up, beginning to pace as she wrung her hands.



She seemed to be fighting herself and he stood too, needing to be on even footing when she showed her hand. He watched her, torn between deeming her an angel sent from above to set Duskwood to rights or a demon hell-bent on shattering everything into a million pieces. Whichever side she landed on, he knew he'd never be the same.









MANON



 

 

 



Her very soul felt tattered and frayed at the way he was looking at her like he didn’t know whether to stay and fight or bolt and hide. She knew that feeling, had been hiding but she was done now, she took a step closer and drew in a breath, she was so caught up in her emotions that she felt untethered from the world. She was terrified but done being a coward. 

 

“Because I like to make things harder than they need to be.”

 

Her voice was a tremulous thing. He didn’t move but she saw the edges of his mouth soften slightly, she gave a low nervous chuckle. Hand clawing at her neck, trying to get air in to say the damn words, and her eyes refused to settle on him, looking over his shoulder. Her heart was raging tempest in her chest and she couldn't seem to get it to calm down, it wanted out of the cage she'd locked it in and she was too tired of fighting against it.

 

“And because I- fuck it, I can’t do this anymore-“ she shook her head, Jake stepped back, eyes shuttering and she cursed, he thought she was ending it. She bravely met his eye and practically shouted at him, the cage now wide open and she couldn't keep the words behind her teeth any longer. Feared she'd go mad if she tried.

 

“I love you! That’s probably not what you want to hear considering what I’ve done and it's far too soon, but I fucking love you and I don’t want to keep secrets anymore. I just want to keep you… Is that alright?” 

 

She ended her nervy rambling on a delicate whisper, Jake's eyes flaring brightly for a moment before going dark as he grinned wildly at her and reached out, grabbing hold of her shaking hands and drawing her into him. She closed her eyes, relief, and happiness almost knocking her knees out from under her when he whispered into her hair.

 

“You are the most infuriating woman I’ve ever met,” but when she looked up he was still smiling, eyes twinkling with affection, even as his voice shook with thinly veiled emotion.

 

 “I love you, too. I have from the moment you lured me into that fucking forest and held a knife to my throat. Don’t doubt it for a second. You're a menace and downright scary at times but gods help me, I do, I love you, Manon.”



She couldn't stop the deranged laugh that left her mouth and he smirked knowingly at her, seeing everything she was and accepting it. She didn't need anyone to save her but she wanted someone to help her patch herself up and build a life with, she wanted what her mom and dad had had. Someone in her corner even when she didn't believe in herself and she wanted to do the same for him. It was stupid and terrible timing and likely to end in disaster if they didn't solve this case soon but she wanted to try, she owed it to herself to try. Even if it all went wrong she knew she'd never regret this, not for a second.



Jake squeezed her hand three times, looking at her meaningfully, a challenge in his eyes, and all at once it came to her, he'd been telling her for days and she wanted to giggle when he nodded in answer to whatever he saw on her face and repeated the action. Squeeze, I. Squeeze, love. Squeeze, you.



“Took you long enough, Taylor Swift even has it in a song. I thought you'd figure it out.” He husked, her stomach dropping at the hunger in his pretty eyes.



She frowned, trying to remember, and gave in to the need to laugh when it clicked.



“I never listened to that one much, how the fuck did you know that?” She demanded, lust and joy igniting quick and hot.



He grinned devilishly at her and she wanted to whimper when his hand wrapped around the back of her neck.



“I paid attention. You play music all the time and I listened.” He said simply, an undercurrent of heat lacing each word as she fisted his hoody and gazed up at him, a familiar glow settling low in her stomach.



His eyes were elemental, overflowing with the same stinging emotions she felt so keenly and she had to have him, had to erase this awful day and replace it with something wholly good and them. She surged up at the same time he lowered his head, the possession of her mouth dizzying, she could taste her desperation mixing with his, the clash of teeth and tongue turning her molten, dampness pooling between her thighs as she tugged and pulled at his clothing, trying to find bare skin. She rubbed herself against him, the thin silk of her robe offering no protection against the friction when he parted her thighs with a knee, pulling her flush, taught muscle under his clothes teasing her hardened nipples.



She released the hold she had on his hoody and grabbed the hem, reluctantly pulling away from his sinful mouth to help him remove it, his shirt soon following it to the floor and he was bare to her, her greedy fingers trailing over his chest and shoulders, his heart beating furiously under her palms, making her smile. He took her mouth again, unable to stay away and she reveled in it, bold strokes of his tongue against hers, reminding her of when he buried his head between her thighs and she whined in distress at the thought.



She was lifted clean off her feet, a growl muffled against her lips, writhing and panting as her back met the wall, the cold seeping through her thin robe and countering the heat simmering low in her belly. Legs locking around his hips to grind against the hardness she could feel but not see, so wet now her robe stuck to her folds, she buried her hands in his hair, fingers slipping through the strands as he took the kiss deeper, the scratch of his beard making her skin prickle and burn. She moaned low in her throat when he pressed in closer, lazy jerks of his hips catching her clit and sending sparks shooting through her, a tidal wave of sensation and wanting swamping her until she was drowning.



He was no better off, trembling hands clutched at her waist and tugged on her hair, roughly pulling the hair tie out, the slight pain mingling with arousal so sharp it threatened to cut her in two. She didn't want to wait for it, she needed him inside her, she didn't want to think about anything but his thick length filling her, using her hard and banishing the bad memories. He broke away from her, scraping sharp teeth down the column of her neck while she caught her breath, each word guttural as he spoke into her wildly fluttering pulse.



“I can't wait, I need to feel you. I've been hard since you cut down Duskwood's finest.” A pause as he nipped at her throat, soothing the hurt with strokes of his hot tongue, “I wanted to drag you into that forest and fuck you senseless.”

 

She shuddered violently, inner muscles contracting at the animalistic need in his voice, she felt as if she were under a spell and never wanted to be free of it, she licked at her lips and smirked at him when he lifted his head.



“Do it. I don't want you to be gentle, make me scream, make me ache.”



His eyes went impossibly darker a second before he crushed his mouth to hers, the hand at her waist toying with the knot holding her robe together, impatient fingers sliding under the edges to tease her, nipples caught between his fingertips as he plucked and pulled, the weight of her need low in her abdomen making her legs weak. She dropped a hand between them, frantically undoing his jeans and diving inside to find her prize, Jake jolting as she wrapped her fist around him, enjoying the weight and velvet soft feel of him in her hand, he didn’t let her play for long, exhilaration was a heady thing in her blood.

 

A snap of teeth and a hand closing around her wrist to help her line them up, wetness slipping down her inner thighs in anticipation as he stared her down with predatory intent. He gave her no warning, no preliminaries but she didn’t want them, the blunt head of his cock pressed against her entrance before he sheathed himself inside her in one quick move. She gaped and writhed, struggling to take the invasion but welcoming the burn of being taken so abruptly to fill the overwhelming emptiness, Jake watching her face with male satisfaction as she clawed and whined, a smug smile on his lips. She had the wild urge to slap him, both loving and hating how easily he could undo her, deliberately tightening herself around him to make him as feral as she felt. 

 

Then he moved. Everything felt heightened as if opening the floodgates to her heart had exposed every nerve in her body to his onslaught. Each heavy drag of his hard cock against her resisting walls shunting her higher up the wall, desire almost a physical thing between them and he was wild, teeth gritted and jaw hard as he snapped his hips, swirling them every other thrust to rub against her clit. Her eyes rolled shut when he kissed her again, swallowing every moan he pulled from her, the robe slipping down her shoulders with each vicious movement, kindling the fire in her core to dangerous levels.

 

The sounds they were making were vulgar and lewd, spinning her higher until she was a quaking mess in his arms, the flick of his tongue in her mouth obliterating all thought. The tension built swiftly, making her delirious and a little unhinged, shameless when his hand settled around her throat and flexed, breaking away from her mouth to watch as she choked out a warbling moan, chuckling when she fluttered around his cock. He was ruining her and damn it all, she wanted it, needed it, craved it. 

 

She closed her eyes to get away, couldn’t bear to look at him but the hand at her throat shook her, growling a brutal command to look at him and she couldn’t ignore it, bravely meeting his eye and convulsing at the ravenous, black want in his eyes. That newly freed love clear as day to her behind the darkness and she whimpered, feeling it in her bones, marking her permanently so she’d never get him out. She was ready to snap, to break in two when he crouched slightly, her back scraping against the hard wall as the angle changed just enough he rubbed against that spot deep inside her, sending a rush of liquid heat over him, soaking them both. 


She made a noise of pure outrage when the hand at her throat fell away, quickly changing into a mewl of approval as his fingers glided through the mess of her to surround that bundle of nerves. The torment a sweet agony now, fingers expertly swirled over her clit, the tension almost painful as he brought her to the edge so quickly she felt a bit pissed off, tugging at his hair and clinging to him with legs and hands to keep him where she needed him, the next lunge of his hips making her twitch and shout. 

 

She wanted to resist, to draw it out and make it last but he knew her body too well by now, his fingers circling slow then fast as she gasped and rolled her hips to take it all. It was an exquisite type of anguish balancing on that knifes edge, cunt sucking him down and holding him deep within her, his eyes flashing when she sobbed his name, begging him to end it. He didn’t praise her or say any of his usual filthy words, the ones that had her soaked and ready for him within seconds, no, it was those three words that had gotten them here, her name whispered harshly, reverently.

 

“I love you, Manon. Come for me.” 

 

She threw her head back, not feeling the pain as it hit the wall, her entire being focused on the hand between her legs and the slide of his cock inside her dripping cunt. The tension snapped so violently she couldn’t make a sound, body stiffening, and vision going white, mouth hanging open as it rippled through her, washing her sanity away until she couldn’t recall her own names. Jake bit at her neck and pulse as he fucked her through it, giving her no respite as she broke apart at the seams, unable to do anything but take it. 

 

The roar of blood in her ears muffled the world around her, aware of Jake murmuring things into her overheated skin but not understanding them, her mind scattered to the winds as he moved inside her, so close he lost all sense of rhythm. There was a keening sound, so desperate and needy she didn’t recognize it as her until her ears cleared enough to hear over the pounding of her heart. Jake lifted his head, penetrating gaze pinning her as he snapped his hips, once, twice, again, and pressed his mouth to hers. She took him whole and tensed around him as he came, the tortured groan she pulled from his chest making her spasm and cry into his mouth.

 

He kissed her hard, wet and messy and she clung to his neck to keep herself upright, Jake sinking slowly to his knees as they gave out, awkwardly straddling his lap as he broke away to nuzzle his face against her neck. She stroked soothing hands over his head and scratched at his scalp with her nails, a sated smile on her lips when he grumbled contentedly and splayed his hands on her back. She closed her eyes and whispered into his ear.

 

”I love you too.” 

 

 

Later, after coming back to themselves, pawing and petting at each other, they washed up, helping each other teasingly and laughing at the state they were in, before finally falling into bed in a tangle of loose limbs. His head was on her chest this time, a hand cupping her breast possessively even in his slumber while she lazily stroked the hair at his nape as her overtaxed mind worked through everything they'd revealed.

 

She wished someone had told her, told her love wasn’t supposed to be a slow, painful death that haunted you long after its bloody end. She’d always believed love was meant to break and burn and end, leaving behind scarred hearts and hollow souls. She thought love was a war, a fire in the dark, the fight of her life, blood and sweat and tears. Love wasn't a weakness like she'd long believed, it was a strength to show someone the parts you kept hidden and trust them to keep them safe, and not try to fix you. No one had ever told her real love was supposed to give you wings instead of chains, it wasn’t a blaze that consumed more than it warmed, it was light, incandescent, and golden, like daylight.

 

Love wasn’t a battle, love was home, love was blue eyes and dark hair, it was peace and safety, arms to shield you as the world burned around you, not cage you in and lock the door. Love meant throwing out the cloaks and daggers, facing the dawn hand in hand, heart to heart, and letting the past go. She hadn’t known real love until now, and wouldn’t have recognized it even if she had. But she knew it now, It filled her up and filled the cracks of her broken parts with golden light, warming her and terrifying her in equal measure. Because she wanted to keep it and hell mend anyone who tried to take it from her, if someone tried, they wouldn’t be long for this world. She would fight tooth and nail to make sure they walked out of here alive and whole, she would get all that she asked for and would not apologize for it. 

Notes:

Whew! I wrote the smut scene and stumbled around the house giggling to myself afterward so I hope it works as well for you! I’ve had Manon's past written for months now and am so pleased I finally got to it! I wanted it to be super dramatic and feel like I managed that, again I'm vague with the guns because I can only go by google and I'm a practical learner, reading about them only goes so far.

Jake's past is murkier, I didn’t want to get too technical or detailed so I mixed together a few things I found online and made it personal for him.

The part before the smut is tooth-rotting fluff but they deserved it, I have no regrets.

Chapter 15 will take a little while, I’m writing my, I Am Not a Woman, I’m a God chapter and I want that done before I begin the next chapter. Half of it's written in my notes app I just have to write around them!

Thank you for reading.

Chapter 15: Ooh, so you wanna talk about power? Let me show you power

Summary:

Things are moving quickly now, the day after the disaster of Richy’s kidnap! Manon gets an important call and finds some things out but I can’t say more without spoiling! Jake is up to something but she doesn’t have the time to figure it out. It’s quite fluffy at times but after their hard night, they deserve some cuteness! All from Manon's POV this time but don't worry, Jake will be back at some point!

Notes:

I am sorry this took so long! I have been dealing with an awful flare up of my fibromyalgia thanks to the weather starting to change, my body is not having a good time and I couldn’t focus on this story. I always want to give my best and I knew I couldn’t until now. I still feel awful but the creative gods let me live last night and I finished this! Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

fifteen

 

 

 

I'm sick

Yeah, I'm sick

And honestly I'm getting high off it

Do you wanna see a magic trick?

'Cause you don't know what you don't know

 

But I know

 

Ooh, so you wanna talk about power?

Ooh, let me show you power

I eat boys like you for breakfast

One by one hung on my necklace

and they'll always be mine

It makes me feel alive

 

I eat boys like you for breakfast

And I know that you tried your bestest

I never said it's right

 

But I'm gonna keep doing it”

 

 

Breakfast – Dove Cameron

*******

 

 

 

 

 

 

MANON

 

 

 

 

Her phone was ringing, she glared at it on the nightstand, Jake's arm tightened around her waist to keep her there and she considered ignoring it, her conscience kicked in though so she snatched it up and answered.



“Hello?”



Her lawyer's familiar voice filled her ear and her heart kicked up.



“Manon, it’s Camille. Can you talk?” She sounded calm but that meant nothing, she was a shark and cold as ice, it’s why Manon kept her on retainer.  She shrugged out of Jake's hold and sat up against the headboard, he looked up at her with sad eyes making her smile. He rested his head in her lap, eyes closed as she replied.



“I can talk. Is everything okay? I was waiting on your email.”



“It’s moving too quickly for me to discuss over email. The bail has been set at $20k, are you certain you want to do this?”



Camille had her stern voice on, the one she used whenever Manon was doing something she found reckless, which was too often but usually it all turned out okay.



“I’m certain. That’s not that high, are you sure that's it?” She was confused, she’d expected a lot more.



Camille gave a wry chuckle.



“They have him for tampering with evidence. His lawyer is an imbecile, by the way, I have never spoken to a more incompetent lawyer in my life and I did five years in the DAs office.”



Manon laughed, absentmindedly scratching Jake's scalp with her nails, whenever she stopped he’d nudge her hand like a puppy to get her to start again.


“I thought as much. So, can you do it?”



She held her breath as Camille replied.



“I can. I’m in Colville right now. They want us there in person. I’ve taken over his case. You can speak with him while I work to get him out, can you get here today?”


Manon's heart was in her throat. She hadn’t expected this so quickly but it was better than waiting for weeks.



“I can. Have you secured a visit for me?”



Jake's head lifted to frown at her but she avoided his eyes.



“I have. You will have to present yourself as Special Agent Adair though, that’s the name I put on the form.”



Manon heaved a sigh, she’d expected this but still, she’d thought she could pretend a while longer that she was simply Manon.



“I understand. I have everything here anyway.”



Jake was still as stone now, he knew everything now but he hadn’t truly seen it yet and she was worried he’d try to stop her but he held his silence.



“Okay, you have free reign to question him for your case, Alan Bloomgate backed you up. It’ll take me a bit to get through the paperwork and get to the bondsman. Does 4 pm sound good? I’ll meet you outside Maydol prison.”




“That’s great, Camille thank you. Do you want cash or a check?” She had both but she wasn’t entirely sure what was preferred here.



“A check. That way there’s a record of it. Okay, I’ve got to go and deal with another client but I’ll see you soon. Be careful, Manon. There’s something big here and I don’t know how it’s going to play out.”



Camille hung up before she could reply and a cold chill swept down her spine at her parting words. She too had begun feeling as though they were all merely chess pieces in a great game, a game that had begun long before any of them arrived. She set the phone down and prepared for a blow-up with Jake but he was looking at her with resignation in his eyes.



“You’re going to see Phil.” It wasn’t a question. She nodded, hands carding through his hair.



“I am, my lawyer has taken over his case and I need to talk to him.” She kept her voice soft and smoothed her thumb over the crease between his brows when he frowned.



He sighed, nostrils flaring.



“I suppose there’s no way I can talk you out of it?” He sounded pained and she felt for him, it wasn’t jealousy that dripped from his voice. It was a pure form of worry for her because he couldn’t go with her.



“No, you can’t. I’ll keep in touch though. You don’t have to worry.”



He snorted, eyes clear now.



“I don’t have to but I will, have you checked the Nymos app on your phone yet?”


She was taken aback by the sudden change in topic, in truth she’d forgotten all about Nymos.


“No… should I have?”


He smirked, cocky and proud of himself, butterflies took flight in her stomach at the display of confidence.



“You definitely should have. I upgraded it.”



She lifted his head from her lap, he moaned at her but it turned into a pleased hum when she shimmied down to lie facing him. His eyes were on her throat and she fought the impulse to swallow.


“Upgraded it, how?” She ventured and he grinned.



“It can now listen in and you can talk near your phone, or with your AirPods in, and I’ll hear it and reply.”



She raised her brows, unsure whether to be annoyed or touched.



“And will I be able to hear you?”



He nodded, his arm snaked around her waist, dragging her flush against him and her thoughts immediately wanted to go elsewhere, preferably into the gutter. The hardening length she could feel trapped between them wasn’t helping. Neither was the hand kneading her ass and turning her molten as he dug his fingers in mean. 



“You will, it’ll be like a phone call but you don’t actually need to have the phone near your face to have it work.”



She smiled slowly, sliding her leg in between his when he ground his hips into hers. 



“I see, so I guess you want to test it out today? So you can hear if Phil makes a move?”



She worked her hand between them and wrapped it around him, he jolted and she smirked at the rough groan he made as she teasingly stroked the length of him. The hand at her ass dipped lower, teasing feints at her other entrance before finding her slit and spreading her essence around, she’d been wet since he’d grabbed her ass. He couldn’t reach her clit from this angle though and he knew it would drive her mad, the knowing smile he wore turning the lustful haze into a fog that clouded her mind and made her a creature of nothing but desire.




“I think it’ll test its capabilities of it if you use it today.” He said through gritted teeth as she kept up her strokes, twisting her wrist gently when she reached the tip and power flashed over her skin like lightning as his eyes screwed shut and his breathing hiked up.



“Hmmm.” Was all she said, dark excitement taking over as his other hand slid between them and deftly circled her clit, both of them tormenting the other to see who would break first. It would be her, it always was but this was one game she didn’t mind losing since she won in the end anyway. He kissed her when she opened it to continue the conversation and she melted into it, he was trembling under her hands and she wasn’t any better as he slid two fingers inside her, the angle odd and not enough to satisfy only good for making her beg for more. A stuttering moan when he pinched her ass that he swallowed down and he did it again to make her even wetter, she was still pleasantly sore from last night and it only added to how good everything felt.

 

She could barely think as he stole her breath and fucked her with his fingers, her hand around him trying to keep up but he knew how to make her a mindless mess and she was faltering. She chased his hand with her hips, he was driving her mad with slow strokes of her clit and light taps that made her snarl in frustration. Last night he hadn’t bothered with any foreplay and she’d loved it, but she knew he wanted her ready for him today, biting into her bottom lip to make her whimper for him. 


She focused back on her own task, the velvet soft feel of his cock in her hand a delicious contrast to his hardness, growing impossibly harder still with every clench of her inner muscles around his clever fingers. She couldn't take the aching emptiness inside her begging to be filled any longer and let him go, pushing at his shoulder with impatient hands to get him to roll onto his back. He reluctantly did so and she mourned the loss of his hand between her legs but kissed him hard and messy, snapping her teeth at his lips before she sat up and straddled him, facing his feet so she could only feel him as she tapped his knees to get him to lift them.

 

His hands were on her waist as she rose onto her knees and grabbed hold of his cock to line him up with her, taking him inside her gradually, inch by glorious inch until she bottomed out. He waited as she let herself adjust to how deep he was at this angle, the sensation of being so full making her skin prickle and burn, his fingers flexing around her waist as she dragged air into her lungs. She began slowly, rocking her hips and arching her back to test out how much she could take and then using his knees as leverage to rise, Jake groaning as she slid back down. 

 

His hands tightened, gripping her hips now to help her movements, and words of praise fell from his lips, he really liked the view. She smiled and alternated each rise up with a grind or swirl of her hips, the head of him brushed against that sweet spot and it took all her energy to remember to keep moving when he did. She found a rhythm that seemed to work for both of them, he was breathing as hard as her and she could feel her stomach tightening each time she pulled him inside her, keeping herself tight around him to make him growl her name in warning. She tipped her head back and moaned when he pinched her ass, circling her hips and he began rocking up into her to help her out as sweat slid down her skin, her thighs trembling with the effort. Heat spread over her skin, embers sparking deep in her core as she edged closer to release, and then he brought his hand down on her ass, the sharp pain igniting her and making her cry out, cunt fluttering around him and she was on fire. 

 

He liked her response and repeated the action on the other cheek, the shock and pleasure of it pushing her to the edge, she might have begged for more or for help, maybe both but she couldn't be sure, he reacted as if she had to her delight. She felt a tug on her hair before the next smack of his hand, his hips snapping up as she lifted off and keened loudly, so turned on it felt like a wildfire inside her ready to consume her. She dropped a shaking hand between her parted thighs, fingers gliding over the mess of her and Jake groaned rough and harsh as her fingers danced over where they were joined before giving in to the intense need to touch her clit.

 

Pleasure swiftly built as she stroked over herself and he cursed when her inner muscles clamped down on him, breathy whines crawling out of her throat as she felt the tension coil so tight it was almost painful and she lost all sense of what she was doing as it finally snapped. Her body went rigid, back arching as her orgasm shattered through her, busy fingers slipping and sliding as she rode the waves of it hard and called his name, he whimpered as she fluttered and spasmed around him, dragging him down with her.

 

Her skin felt electrified as she slowly came back down, nerves jumping and body going boneless as she slumped over his knees, feeling him release inside her dragged a wanton mewl from her but she had no strength left to do anything more. He held her down until he'd spent himself and then gently helped pull her up and off him, drawing her down beside him so he could spoon her, their sweat-slicked skin sticking and she smiled when he lazily kissed her neck. Her heart was slowly coming back to its normal beat and she could feel his doing the same, soothing hands smoothed over her hip to tug her closer, and then his fingers tangled up with hers. 

 

Ideally, she'd never have to leave this room and they could do this all day, every day but she couldn't. A world of horrors awaited them outside her bedroom door and they'd have to face them soon, it didn't stop her from staying with him a little while longer and pretending they could do as they wished. They didn't speak, they'd said everything the night before and she felt closer to him than she ever had before, not just physically but emotionally and in other little ways she hadn't realized were missing. In this room they were safe and they could love each other freely, without fear and she was more than a little reluctant to leave the little oasis their bed had become. They had some time left and she wasn't going to waste it worrying.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

They were all gathered around the dining room table, none of them had the heart to eat or even suggest it, dejected faces and a tinge of resentment hung heavy in the air, Manon had nothing to say to make things better. The resentment was directed at their situation and thankfully none of them blamed her, though she'd have taken the fall if they'd asked, she felt entirely responsible. The opaque bubble she and Jake had been living in had well and truly popped when they'd arrived downstairs, Jessy still teary-eyed and looking so beaten down that it was painful to look at her. Dan had skipped past all forms of sadness and gone straight to anger, he practically vibrated with poorly restrained fury and Manon related to that more than the depression soaking the others.

 

 

It hadn't helped that Phil had managed to call Jessy earlier that morning, chewing her out for not visiting or posting his bail and Manon was fucking burning under her skin with rage, Jessy excused his behavior far too much for her liking. Cleo still shouldered the heavy weight of condemnation even though Manon had told her again that it wasn't her fault and it would have happened anyway, Lilly had closed off from everyone. The stakes for her sister had just skyrocketed and the reminder of how much danger Hannah was truly in had been a bucket of ice water over all of them. They'd felt untouchable here and that was their mistake, Manon wouldn't make it again. It was Steve, bless him, that tried to break the loaded silence.

 

“What are your next steps, Manon?”

 

Manon sighed and wrapped her cold hands around her coffee mug, staring into it before replying.

 

“I'll be visiting Phil later today.”

 

Jessy jolted, shock clear on her puffy face.

 

“Phil? Did he call you too?” she sounded confused and Manon didn't blame her.

 

“No, my lawyer is taking over his case and I have to speak to him about his undeniable connections to this whole shit show.”

 

Jessy was gaping at her and Manon felt a little bad for keeping things from her, but still, she could not lay all her cards on the table.

 

“Can you tell him that I'm sorry I couldn't pay his bail? He hung up on me before I could.”

 

Jessy sounded so dejected Manon wanted to kill Phil, she couldn't hide her ire when she spoke.

 

“No, I won't Jessy. He doesn't need an apology because you've done nothing wrong.”

 

Jessy shrank back in her chair and Cleo nodded in agreement with Manon, putting an arm around her slumped shoulders.

 

“Phil's a dick,” Dan said bluntly, he'd become more protective over Jessy since everything had gone to shit.

 

“He is but he did get the short end of the stick,” Jake said to Manon's complete surprise, if she'd known all she had to do was tell him that she loved him to make him see Phil was no threat, she'd have done it days ago.

 

“He did, but he's still a dick,” Lilly added and Manon snorted, hiding her smile in her coffee and trying to avoid Steve's eye. He was watching her and Jake very closely and she would have sworn on her life he somehow knew all that had gone down last night.

 

“Is Camille already in town?” He asked and Manon nodded.

 

“She's in Colville ripping his old lawyer a new one, she said he's useless.”

 

Steve smiled, he knew Camille through their many dealings after her dad died, “When are you going?”

 

“This afternoon, do you want to come?” She hadn't spent much time with him and he wouldn't be here for much longer.

 

“Yeah, I want to grab a gift for Natalia and the baby.”

 

Jake's hand found its way to her thigh, she prided herself on not jumping and covered it with her own.

 

“We'll head out around 1 pm to leave time for any traffic issues,” Manon said.

 

“The way you drive, we'll be far too early.” He joked and managed to pull a few weak laughs from everyone gathered, Thomas had been totally quiet all morning and seemed a million miles away.

 

“Shut up, you're no better.”

 

The moment of levity was soon spoiled with the dark cloud hanging over them all, they returned to the strained silence and muttered comments that held very little meaning. Manon eventually spoke, the quietness around her only amplified the noise in her head and she couldn't take it.

 

“I want all of you to stay inside today, no exceptions. I'll stop and get groceries on the way home so write a list of anything you need and I'll get it. If the police come sniffing around, call me immediately, they shouldn't but if they do, don't answer the door.”

 

She waited until they all agreed, she was worried about Thomas, he was there in body but not in any other way. She hadn't realized just how closely bonded he and Richy were, she looked to Dan and wordlessly drew his attention to Thomas, Dan understood immediately and inclined his head. She knew there was some animosity between the two but Thomas needed a friend. Soon they began to disperse one by one to get ready for the day, the other girls had taken Jessy back into their room and made sure she wasn't left alone, Manon was grateful for that since she had never been good at comforting others. She got up and headed back upstairs to get ready, Jake didn't follow, hanging back to speak with Steve. She pulled out the black suit she had purchased before coming here, part of her known she'd need it, and lay it on the bed, a white shirt followed along with a pair of black heeled pumps.

 

 

Manon surveyed the outfit for a long moment, torn between complete contentedness and sorrow that her dad wasn't around to see all of this, that he'd never meet Jake or see any of the few milestones she still had left. She picked up her phone and chose her work playlist, needing music to hype her up and boost her confidence before she walked into that goddamn prison. As the familiar songs filled the room, she began to dress and prepare herself for the day ahead, Phil was in for a shock and she couldn't wait to tell him a few home truths.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

Time had passed in a blur as if whoever was in charge of this fucked up world had finally removed the brakes and was determined to send them hurtling headfirst into the unknown, whatever it was she was already sick of it. Earlier, she'd seen Jessy talking with Jake, both of them whispering and when she'd walked in they'd sat up, both looking guilty but she hadn't the energy to waste on questioning them so left them to it. She was happy they were getting along and hoped it meant that the others would be more welcoming too. Jessy at least had been wearing a small smile, it made Manon feel less guilty for hiding things from her.

 

 

She met Steve in the kitchen, he'd been face timing with Natalia most of the morning, and Manon had spoken with her a little though the constant baby talk had her gritting her teeth and crossing her legs. She very much enjoyed the part where you made the baby but she did not envy her for when the baby had to make its gory entrance into the world. She'd rather face a thousand masked weirdos with a gun than do that even once. Steve laughed maniacally when she cringed at Natalia's vivid retelling of the births she'd witnessed at the hospital she worked at, a dreamy smile on her face the entire time and Manon decided the woman was batshit insane if that alone hadn't convinced her not to do it. Steve seemed far too eager himself but then he didn't have to do the pushing.

 

She shook her head and smiled at her best friend.

 

“You good to go?”

 

Steve patted his jeans pockets, making sure he had his wallet and phone before replying.

 

“Yep, you sure you'll be okay going in there?” He asked gently.

 

“I will be, just memories, you know?” She shrugged and Steve made a face to show he understood.

 

They said their goodbyes, Jake kissing her soundly until she was breathless and everyone averted their eyes, she knew he was doing it to take her mind off of where she was going and she appreciated it, even if it made her want to drag him back to bed.

 

 

The drive there flew by, Steve kept up a steady stream of conversation that she barely had to think about as she replied, which was good because her mind was busy piecing together her mental shields but she found they didn't fit quite so well now. It was as if opening herself up to Jake had changed something within her, the shackles she'd never quite managed to shake off were now gone and she felt light. Steve noticed and gently questioned her.

 

“So, I take it everything went well last night?”

 

She slid her eyes to him, he sounded a bit too happy with himself.

 

“It did, why?” She hedged, he had that glint in his eye that usually meant he was digging for secrets.

 

“Just wondered, I hoped my talk with him would work.” He teased and she huffed a laugh, she should've known.

 

“What talk? You didn't threaten him, did you?” She didn't believe he would but Steve was protective and she'd been a wreck yesterday, he held his palms up and grinned.

 

“No! I just had a little chat with him, it worked so, you're welcome.” He jested and she threw him a glare though there was no heat behind it.

 

“You men, you don't have much but you certainly have the damn audacity. You've got the cheek to call me nosy!” She knew he wouldn't explain and was too satisfied with the outcome that she didn't care to scare it out of him.

 

“He's a good guy, he hasn't got a clue what he's let himself in for but I figure that's why he loves you.” He laughed and she felt weightless, knowing for sure now that Jake did love her.

 

“Shut up, I'm a gift to the world and you know it.” She said cheekily and they quickly began to bicker and sing along to her music far too loudly.

 

She dropped Steve off in the city proper and told him she'd call when she was on her way back for him, she was outside the prison sooner than she'd thought. Camille met her as she was walking up the steps to the entrance and Manon smiled warmly as they shook hands, Camille was pleased to see her back where she belonged instead of traipsing around the country alone. Manon handed her the check she’d signed before leaving the house. 

 

“Everything in order?” Manon asked as they were buzzed into the building.

 

“Almost, I won't be long though. You ready?” Camille's throaty voice was both rough and smooth somehow, feminine and strong. It suited her, she was tall and curvy, chin length inky black hair, softly curled and tousled just so, eyes so dark brown they were almost black were fanned with thick lashes that made Manon jealous. She was younger than most of the lawyers she'd worked with but she was fierce and understood Manon, that was invaluable and  she would always be grateful for her help.

 

“I am, I'll call you once he agrees.” Manon was calm somehow, no nerves weighed her down and any doubts she might have had were nowhere to be seen, her spine was steel as they signed in and went through the tedious process of entering the jail. She handed in the application to visit Ted Madruga before leaving the front desk, no point in waiting for the mailman to deliver it when she was coming here. They parted ways once they were through and Camille headed left while Manon was led down the right hallway by a stout male guard who looked like he'd seen some things while working here. Their footsteps echoed hollowly down the corridor, fluorescent lights buzzing annoyingly above her only added to the dreary atmosphere. They stopped outside a reinforced door, the guard opening it with a keycard and holding it open for her, she stepped inside the room and glanced around the sterile space before settling on the man seated behind a steel table.

 

 

Manon eyed Phil critically, they’d handcuffed him to the table, she walked over to it and sat down in the only other chair there, Phil hadn't said a word but he was watching her intently and his eyes kept darting to the badge around her neck. She let her gaze roam over him, he was handsome if you liked that tattooed fuck boy thing, he wore a cocky smirk as he ran his eyes over her like he was undressing her. Manon bit back her grimace and focused instead on how tired he looked.

 

“You look like shit, Hawkins.”

 

He lifted a brow, his smirk grew bigger, 

 

“And you look absolutely divine, I'm afraid I don't know your name?”

 

 

She rolled her eyes and clasped her hands together on the tabletop, the cold steel bit into her hands. 

 

 

“I suppose we've only spoken over the phone, I'm Manon, Jessy's friend.”

 

 

His stormy eyes widened and she gave him a close-lipped smile, he didn't say anything else so she pushed on.

 

 

“Let me get right to it then, how would you like to get out of here?” She had no desire to spend any longer than she had to in this vile place, she could almost smell the fear and sweat of all those who’d been in here long before they’d set foot inside.

 

Phil’s eyes narrowed, he didn’t trust her that much was clear and she wondered how they’d treated him since being put in this hell hole, he looked as if he was terrified to show how badly he wanted out. She wondered if Jake was listening in, he'd said he'd be able to but to be honest she hadn't really paid attention, had only wished to fuck him until both of them were beyond words. She tugged on the leash of her wandering mind, that damn kiss earlier had left her hot and bothered, she turned her attention back to the bar owner instead.

 

“And how exactly can you do that Manon? My own lawyer couldn’t get me released.”

 

Manon mirrored his earlier smirk and winked,

 

“Your lawyer is piss poor and your sisters couldn’t pay your bail, that's why you're still here.” She paused, let him marinate in that for a long moment then continued.

 

“I can though. My lawyer is currently awaiting my call and provided I have your full co-operation, she will post your bail.”

 

Phil's eyes lit up, he slumped back in his chair as far the cuffs would allow and affected a disinterested air but Manon could see he was dying to say yes, a tang of desperation clung to the air around him. 

 

“It depends on what you want to know, a man has to have some secrets.”

 

Manon strangled her impatience, it was fraying now and she wanted out of here, hated the memories it forced to the surface of her mind. 

 

“How about you tell me what is in that basement of yours? We both know that whatever is behind that steel door isn’t simply stock and extra furniture.”

 

Phil froze, the indifference replaced by pure arrogance. 

 

“Like I’d tell you in here, they'll be watching and recording. I can kiss goodbye to my beloved bar and be locked up even longer.”

 

Manon smiled grimly, leaning forward to whisper as though they were simply two friends swapping secrets.

 

“Oh, you have nothing to worry about, you haven’t consented and you have no lawyer present, I'm simply a visitor. Anything you say can’t and won’t be used against you in a court of law. Bloomgate owed me, he knows you’re of more use to us outside than in here. So, tell me and I’ll call my lawyer right now.”

 

Phil was impressed, she saw it as he reassessed her and his arrogant mask slipped, a frightened young man now sat before her and she felt sorry for him, it was partly their fault he was here. He heaved a great sigh and fiddled with his handcuffs, his wrists were rubbed raw they’d tightened them so much. 

 

“Fine. I’ll tell you but you’d be better seeing it for yourself.”

 

It was Manon's turn to lift a brow, though she hid her curiosity well enough.

 

“Hmm, that can be arranged. How can I trust you won’t go back on your word the second you walk out the front door?”

 

Phil gave her a true smile this time and if she had been any other woman it would’ve worked, she’d have fallen all over him but all she could think about was Jake, how his smile made her chest bloom with light and warmth. Phil's smile made her feel empty. 

 

“If you pay my bail, I’d owe you a small fortune, I’m many things Manon, but I won’t betray someone who’d help me like that. How on earth can you afford it?”

 

“I am a rich woman, Phil. That’s all you need to know.”

 

Phil snorted, “Beautiful and you’re loaded? You’re the whole package, shortcake.”

 

“Unfortunately for you Hawkins, you can’t afford me and I’m spoken for.”

 

She knew she looked cold and bitchy, she would not play with him and he would learn he had no chance, she already had everything she needed. He gave her a wicked grin though she thought it might be more of a defense mechanism and an insecure boy lay under the swagger and womaniser image.

 

“I’m sure I can change your mind if you give me a chance, I’m very talented you know.”

 

The salacious tone in his voice made her want to snarl, he was trying to rile her and keep her from questioning him so she went for his throat, cutting him off and ensuring he knew where he stood.

 

“I have no interest in you Phil and I already have all that I need, I don't want you to try, understand?”

 

Phil didn’t react how she expected, instead of ignoring her, he nodded.

 

“I understand. It’s a shame though, we could cause chaos together and you’d have fun.”

 

“Drop the act Phil, what’s in your goddamn basement?” Her voice snapped at the end, patience burning out with his irreverent attitude, this room made her skin crawl. 

 

Phill rubbed at his stubble-covered jaw, usually, he was clean-shaven but he hadn’t bothered while locked up or he wasn't allowed to. 

 

“I only found out myself four weeks ago. It’s why I wanted to meet with Hannah when she asked, I wanted to show her but I swear, I still don’t know why she wanted to meet with me.”

 

Manon waited with bated breath, she knew why Hannah wanted to meet but didn’t want him to know yet, wanted to see how much he’d tell her. She motioned for him to continue 

 

“I was in there, I do actually use it for storage but there was a tiny room hidden behind a wall of shelves. I hadn’t noticed it before then and only did that time because a shelf had collapsed and I saw the keyhole. I spent hours removing the shelves and even longer learning to pick the fucking lock to get inside.”

 

He shook his head, eyes never leaving hers and she saw frustration there, he was telling the truth. He took a deep breath before continuing and Manon's heart began to race with each word that fell from his mouth.

 

“But all I found was an old dusty laptop and a stack of papers about the girl, Jennifer who was killed years ago. She was the former owner's daughter you see. I knew Michael very well, he hired me not long after Jennifer was killed, and soon after he signed the bar over to me and disappeared.”

 

Manon interrupted. 

 

“Why did he suddenly sign over such a lucrative business to someone as young as yourself, no offense Phil but it seems a bit unbelievable.”

 

“I know like I said he hired me and by the end of my first year there he invited me to his house for a drink, odd considering he had a bar to drink in but I was young and looked up to him. I went and he explained that he had to leave Duskwood, the Aurora was the reason he hadn’t noticed his daughter was missing and he couldn’t stand the memories of this place any longer. He signed the deed there and then despite my protests and told me to take care of it. That was the last time I saw him.”

 

“Do you know where he went?”

 

Phil shrugged, “Not a clue, he just … vanished. There were rumors by some of the more fanciful patrons, that he’d walked into the forest and never come out. That he killed himself in his grief. I never believed them though. Michael was a broken man, yes, but he was determined to find his daughter's killer and I don’t believe he’d leave this earth without doing that first.”

 

Manon's stomach became a nest of snakes, he was leaving out the most important thing though and she wouldn't let that slide, no matter how anxious she was becoming with every word he said.

 

“Why are you leaving out the bracelet you sold to the pawnshop, the one with Jennifer Hanson's initials on it?”

 

Phil looked dumbstruck and she grinned.

 

“Oh yes, I know much more than you realize Phil, so cut the bullshit and tell me.”

 

He scratched his jaw and huffed a breath, his eyes hardening. 

 

“I know how it looks, that I was getting rid of evidence but I wasn’t. I was doing as I was told and that was all. When I got into that room there was another item, an emerald bracelet. Underneath it was a note, it said to sell it to the pawnshop and use the cash on the bar. I recognized the writing though, do you know who it was Manon? Has that big brain of yours figured it out?”

 

“Michael Hansons.” Her voice was calm but she was reeling inside, her mind frantically putting the pieces together.

 

Phil inclined his head in agreement and Manon understood why Hanson had done it. He knew Hannah would see it, he knew the pawnshop would put it front and center in their window so that it would catch the eye of anyone wandering by. It was a beautiful piece of jewelry after all and it had worked. Hannah saw it and bought it. Hanson had somehow found out who had bought it and put two and two together. Only someone involved in Jennifer's death would recognize that bracelet. Manon felt a chill creep down her spine, Hanson had planned this out to the last detail and she felt like she was constantly catching up but always 5 steps behind him. Setting Phil up to take eyes off of him just as she was getting closer to unveiling him was incredibly clever and she had to hand it to him, he was no amateur. She focused back on Phil. 

 

“Got it in one. So I did as he asked, it was just a stupid bracelet. I didn’t realize it would be used against me until I got arrested. So that’s it, Manon, that’s all I know.”

 

Manon nodded, she was fizzing with anticipation now and was dying to talk to Jake and the others about all of this.

 

“Thank you for your cooperation, Phil. Give me a moment.”

 

Manon pulled her phone out of her jacket pocket and called her lawyer. 

 

“Camille? You’re good to go, I'm almost done here and I'd like him out of here as fast as possible before anything else happens.”

 

Phil was staring at her wide-eyed and she shrugged, hanging up when Camille affirmed she'd carry it out. 

 

“You should be out soon. My lawyer will meet you in the lobby and will take you home, tomorrow she’ll bring you to where we’re all staying.”

 

Phil blinked after her as she stood and shouldered her bag, she had reached the door when he finally gathered himself and could speak. 

 

“Thank you, Manon. It’s not enough but - thank you. I won’t forget this.”

 

“Don’t thank me yet, it’s worse out there than it is in here.”

 

Manon opened the door but turned to face him again. 

 

“Oh and Phil?” He met her eye and she let all the fiery rage she kept hidden ignite in her eyes as she gave him a stern warning, her voice deadly soft.

 

“You will treat your sister far better from now on, if you don’t I can have you back in here faster than you can even think of disrespecting her. She loves you and I won’t have you treating her like shit any longer, got it?”

 

Phil blanched but nodded. 

 

“Good, see you soon Hawkins.” She purred and left the jail. 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Manon picked up Steve and they headed back to Duskwood, he'd bought Natalia a beautiful bracelet and something else he wouldn't show her but she knew he had good taste when it came to gifts so she didn't demand to see it. They stopped in at a large grocery store and they filled two carts with all the others had needed and whatever they might want. She planned for them to order in from now on to cut down any time spent in town, Jake had already ordered a bunch of clothing since he'd traveled light and was sick of washing and wearing the same things, though she'd far prefer if he wore nothing at all but that would make the group dinners awkward.

 

They spent their time joking and laughing as they walked the aisles, him teasing her every time she replied to a text from Jake with a stupid smile on her face. He’d messaged her as she’d left the prison but she hadn’t noticed until they got to the store and he seemed relieved she was in good spirits. She’d flung in a few items she thought he might like before they finally dragged their haul to the registers and checked out. Soon they were back on the road, an easy silence falling between them, the kind that only fell when two people knew each other well and felt no need to fill it with inane chatter. She was a little sad he’d be leaving soon but she was so happy he’d come down and knew she’d be visiting him soon, she wouldn’t let years pass them by without visiting again. 

 

 

They were late getting back, darkness had already fallen and it appeared every light in the house was on as they unloaded everything, Jake soon came out to help them. She was in the kitchen waiting for them to bring the last of it as they'd hung back after she'd grabbed her own bag of goodies and hidden them upstairs. Those fuckers ate her out of house and home and she was sick of Dan eating her damn cinnamon rolls and chips. 

 

 

She kicked off her heels, her toes were killing her and the feel of cool tile floors soothing the pain had her biting back a relieved moan when they walked back in. Cleo and Lilly appeared and helped them put everything away. She knew both women were dying to hear about Phil, Cleo was practically clamping her lips shut and she held her silence just to annoy her because she was a bit evil and it was funny watching her eye twitch. Cleo offered to make dinner and Manon agreed happily, she really couldn't be bothered, Jake and Lilly sat with her at the island, both of them nursing a glass of wine while Jake sipped at a beer when Cleo couldn't hold it in anymore.

 

"Okay, I'm going out of my mind here. What did he say about the bracelet?" 

 

Manon snorted a laugh and tried to ignore Jake's intense gaze on her but he sat so closely it was an impossible task.

 

"Remember your little break-in attempt?" She asked cheekily and Cleo groaned but nodded.

 

"Well we were right, there was a reason there is a steel door and it wasn't just for stock. There is a secret room hidden inside and Phil discovered it when a shelf randomly collapsed. Inside it was the bracelet and a note telling him to pawn it, guess who left the note."

 

Cleo's brows had almost disappeared into her hairline and Lilly was frozen in place, her knuckles white as she clutched the wine glass.

 

"Who?" They both asked at the same time but Jake was quiet beside her, he must've been listening then.

 

"Michael Hanson, Jennifer's father. My theory is, that he wanted to find out who was involved in the death of his daughter and had someone watching the pawn shop for anyone who recognized it, Hannah did and bought it, she found out Phil had sold it too and wanted to meet with him. She was taken before she could though. Either Hanson himself was watching or he had someone else do it for him because even if the owner has no fear of data protection laws, he wouldn't want anyone seeing him there."

 

Steve was shaking his head but Lilly and Cleo were utterly still as it sunk in that this had been planned out to the last details and they'd been playing with the wrong set of rules. Manon knew she was right, felt in her bones and she just had to see what else was in that damn room but she'd have to wait for Phil to get out and see if the police had emptied it. Cleo finally broke out of her shock and lowered her voice.

 

"What the fuck? Phil might never have found it though, if that shelf hadn't broken then the plan would be fucked and he'd never have known it was Hannah." 

 

Manon arched a brow, that was a very good point and she opened her mouth to reply but Lilly beat her to it.

 

"Your break-in was a failure but what if Hanson got in? He'd know the place and didn't Phil always complain that the cameras would go down at odd times? He might've broken the shelf on purpose when Phil took too long to find it."

 

They all went quiet at that and Manon gave Lilly an impressed look.

 

"That's plausible. I want to see the room for myself and we can ask Phil more very soon." 

 

"What do you mean?" Jessy's voice came from behind her and Manon steeled herself as she faced her friend, she looked a little better and there was a slight sparkle back in her hazel eyes again though it was duller than usual. She nodded to Jake and Manon wanted to ask what that was about but she owed Jessy an explanation.

 

"I paid Phil's bail, they only had him on tampering with evidence and my lawyer is going through the motions for his release."

 

Silence. It was as if the world had stopped and when she met Jake's eye she was prepared for anger or disappointment but all she found was understanding and a little exasperation if she was honest but he smiled softly and grabbed hold of her hand. Jessy was speechless for all of two seconds then Manon had her hanging from her neck, almost toppling off of her stool with the force of it and everyone was laughing, the nervous tension broken.

 

"Thank you, thank you, thank you. You've no idea how much this means to me, Manon. That was a lot of money though, I can't pay that back." She spoke into Manon's shoulder and Manon smoothed a hand over her back, trying to show how deeply she cared but she just felt awkward. Jessy didn't seem to mind and only pulled away to smile brightly at her, tears in her eyes but they were no longer the ones of complete despair.

 

"You don't have to, he does, and don't even try to give me money, I don't want it." She said softly and Jessy hugged her again, Manon met Jake's eye, and he was trying not to laugh at whatever expression was on her face. 

 

"When will he get out?" Jessy asked when she'd finally let Manon go.

 

"Shouldn't be longer than a few more hours. My lawyer will take him home for the night and then bring him here tomorrow."

 

"How was he? I feel terrible he's been in there and it was all my fault." Jessy looked scared to see him and that pissed Manon off, Phil had a lot to make up for when he got here and she'd hold him at gunpoint if she had to ensure he did so.

 

"No, don't you dare take the blame. He followed Hanson's instructions and that's why he was arrested. You had nothing to do with it. He’s fine, tired but fine." Her tone was hard but Jessy had enough to deal with without misplaced guilt hanging from her shoulders.

 

"Don't forget though, Manon, one of us apparently gave testimony too. That didn't help." Cleo added and Manon shook her head.

 

"They did but it's word of mouth and they couldn't take him in for that alone, it probably kickstarted things so that they found out he knew Hanson. We won't know the full details until he arrives." Manon needed to find out who'd given the testimony, she was torn between Thomas and Dan but she would have to be smart in how she went about getting the truth.

 

"Is he going to be staying here too?" Lilly asked, a frown on her pretty face.

 

"Definitely not, there isn't really room and he'll want to open the bar again I think," Manon said decisively and Jake squeezed her hand, he was taking everything well and it felt quite surreal when she thought back to his jealous dislike of Phil in the motel. She knew he still had no love for the man but he knew now that she'd always choose him.

 

"Fuck me, I need a drink. This has been a mental week." Jessy muttered and headed for the freezer where Manon saw someone had hidden a bottle of tequila. She was not participating in that, she made very bad decisions after a few shots of that stuff and wanted to face Alan with a clear head tomorrow.

 

She helped Jake set the table while the others drank and cooked, Jake kept finding excuses to touch her and she shivered every time, her body seemed more attuned to him than ever so she was a livewire before long. She hoped she never lost this feeling, of wanting someone so much he barely had to touch or speak to her to make her think about silk sheets and his hands pulling on her hair. His lovely eyes were alight and filled with love for her, it stole her breath every time and when they finally sat down to eat dinner, his hand found its way between her thighs.

 

She struggled not to show the fact she was being touched under the table on her face, holding herself tense and still so she wouldn't jump whenever his hand moved closer to where she wanted him. He knew what he was doing, dark, sultry eyes slid to hers whenever he did it and she wanted to scream in frustration when everyone suggested a movie night, unable to say no after all that had happened. She could wait though and it would be worth it, it always was.



When Cleo and Lilly filled Dan and Thomas in on what Phil had said, Manon watched both of them carefully for any sign they were guilty and came to no concrete conclusion. Dan's shoulders tightened at the mention of the testimony but Thomas barely reacted, just slightly nodded as if unaware he was doing it, usually she’d out her money on him but Dan seemed just as likely. She decided to get each of them alone at some point and either cajole or threaten it out of them, she had to know who it was in the chance Alan wouldn’t tell her. He would most likely withhold that information so he had something she didn’t, he wasn’t pleased with her joining the case so she wouldn’t risk leaving it to him. Even Jessy promising not to get mad at who did it didn’t entice anyone to come forward, both of them were very good actors and that worried her. 

 

Camille texted her as they were heading into the living room to watch the movie, letting her know Phil was settled and she’d taken a room at the motel. Manon couldn’t help but giggle at the image of her in that shabby motel, Camille was used to five-star hotels with a concierge and room service at all hours. Manon sadistically told her to try the coffee and wished she could be there when she did. Camille wasn’t a friend in the traditional sense but they had a lot in common and she’d dealt with enough of her shit for Manon to respect her heavily. Those months after her dad died had been brutal, Camille had to deal with her during that time to settle his will and estate, then she began checking in to make sure Manon hadn’t overdosed or hurt herself and made sure she ate and looked after herself. She had gone far beyond her paid duties and Manon counted her as a friend even if she’d never spend nights watching old movies with her. 


All her friends had slowly dropped away after everything had happened, Manon hadn’t wanted to be around anyone and they soon grew tired of her canceling plans and moping around looking like she hadn’t brushed her hair in weeks. She didn’t blame them but it still stung when the texts stopped coming but she never replied to any of them, she couldn’t blame them for giving up and now she’d left it all behind. She felt good now, the past was unchanging no matter how viciously she threatened it and she had to look forward or risk losing everything. She was very much looking forward to dragging Jake upstairs after the movie, he was still teasing her, light fingers dancing along her inner thighs that she’d flung over him when they’d sat down. She’d been drinking red wine and was feeling warm to her bones, laziness settling in now she could relax. 


What she hadn't counted on was the fatigue and weight of the last two days catching up to her as they watched Jessy's pick, Dirty Dancing, which Manon loved but couldn't keep her eyes open, not even for a young Patrick Swayze. She was very content wrapped in Jake's arms and she dozed off long before Baby nailed the lift, didn't even wake when Jake carried her up to bed. She only woke long enough to help him strip her out of her clothes and to hear him tell her he loved her. She wasn't sure if she returned the words in decipherable English but he understood anyway. She had one thought before falling back into sleep's welcoming embrace, if this was what the rest of her life looked like with him, she'd have all that she needed and could ever want. Once this was all over, they had nothing but time to spend learning each other and she couldn't wait for those days. She didn’t have to pick between helping others and him, she could have both. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Notes:

Thank you so much for reading and for the lovely comments on the last chapter! I mean it when I say I appreciate you guys that do leave them, comments help me write and know that what I’m doing is working, plus I don’t feel like I’m talking to myself here lol. So thank you, and please never stop even if you don’t like something!

 

I still have no idea how many chapters this will eventually be but I’m getting to where I want to go, I’m just a wordy bitch and it’s a romance so it takes longer. I hope you enjoyed it and stick around to find out what’s next! Also I have no idea if Maydol is in Colville but for the purposes of this story, that’s where it’s located haha!

Chapter 16: Beware the beauty with the lonely face who whispers every word you want to hear, evil is eager underneath her grace and poison are the flowers in her hair

Summary:

It's the weekend but there will be no rest for the wicked! Phil visits, as does Alan Bloomgate, Steve leaves and Manon shows Jake just how pointless his jealousy is! I had such a good time writing this and hope its worth the wait!

Notes:

Thank you for the lovely comments on the last chapter, I adored them and get so happy when I read them. This one took a while to be written but I actually wrote it all today. I finally got over my fibro flare only to wake up with a swollen face the next day, a dental abscess that was so painful I barely looked at my laptop. It's better now after antibiotics and treatment but now I have caught a cold from my brother. I only saw him one time this past week but my body despises me apparently.

The gods are trying to kill me so I wrote this today before the worst of the symptoms kick in and I didn't have to leave it another week!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

ssss

 

 

 

 

I ain't kissin' no ass

But I'm makin' out like a bandit

I'm brutally honest when I'm mouthin' off

Here's a bandage

They say I'm savvy for my age

and savage as any devil

But at least I'm no imposter strapped in Jesus sandals

 

I take what I want

Take what I need

And do it all with dignity

Say what I want

Say what I mean

And I don't need you to agree

 

I don't spit before I fuck it

Got a hand on the pistol in my pocket

I don't play nice

I'm not a shit talker

I'm a straight shooter

Now just give me the money, honey

 

Straight Shooter – Skylar Grey

*******

 

 

 

 

 

 

MANON

 

 

 

 

"You all packed?" Manon asked Steve as she shuffled into the kitchen on Saturday morning. 

 

Steve was his usual chipper self, smiling at her moody, tired face, and she knew her hair was a twisted mass on the back of her head. She didn't care and just grabbed the mug of coffee he'd poured for her. 

 

"I am. I didn't bring much, so it didn't take long." He said quietly, and she nodded. 

 

"When do you leave?" 

 

 

"Around 4. Flights at 9 pm, but I want to get there early so I can return the car and stuff my face before boarding." Steve chuckled. 

 

"Yum. Airport food." Manon shuddered, but Steve had a weird love for the stuff; considering how many flights he took a year, she supposed he'd gotten used to it. 

 

"I can always call and see if they'll let me work from here? If you need an extra hand." He offered, but she could see he was dying to return home before going back to work. 

 

"I'd love that, but I've got it covered. Go see your wife and get back to work. I have too much to do now."

 

Steve grinned, "No rest for the wicked." 

 

"It's more fun being evil anyway. The clothes are far superior." She jested, and Steve laughed. 

 

"If you need anything, call me, Manon. Don't hesitate." He said firmly, and she met his warm gaze; he knew her too well. 

 

"I will, I promise. Thank you for… everything." She said lamely, but he pulled her in for a hug, and she relaxed into it, the familiarity of it easing her nerves.

 

"You're welcome, don't let years pass by again, though. Don't forget to invite me to your wedding." He said cheekily when they pulled apart, and Manon snorted. 

 

"Fuck me gently. You are getting ahead of yourself there, Steve." She tried to be dismissive even though her heart was battering against her ribs at the thought of it. 

 

"I don't think I am. Since you were my best woman, I expect to be your best man." 

 

She laughed, "You'll be walking me down the damn aisle, Steve." 

 

Steve froze, and she wondered why he was surprised by that. Then again, she had never seen herself getting married, but the thought kept pushing its way inside her mind, and she was finding it difficult to ignore. 

 

"Wow. You've actually thought about this." He teased, and she felt her face flush. She fucking hated blushing.

 

"Only a little, shut up!" She griped when he poked her in the side and wiggled his brows at her. 

 

"Okay, okay! I'll leave it… for now." He was a sly bastard, and she regretted the day she ever met him. 

 

"Fuck you. Moving on, did you set up a day for my call with Chris?" She swerved into safer topics and settled down on the stool beside him.

 

"I did. Tomorrow at 2 pm. I installed the software into your laptop yesterday." 

 

"You hackers have no sense of boundaries." She moaned but was pleased all the same. 

 

"You weren't here! I didn't snoop."

 

Manon could hear multiple footsteps coming down the stairs, so she ignored that for now. 

 

"I'm going to get ready before Alan and Phil show up." 

 

Steve murmured his agreement and turned to speak with Jessy, Cleo, and Lilly, who'd stomped in looking tired and annoyed at the early hour. 

 

"Morning! I'll be back when I look human again." Manon said and left the kitchen, bolting up the stairs and into her room.

 

Jake was up and working. She made a beeline for him and kissed his stubbled cheek, making him jump. She grinned when his eyes softened at seeing her. 

 

"What are you working on?" She asked and glanced at the screen, it looked like some sort of editing thing. 

 

"I'm cleaning up the audio from Richy's kidnap. Trying to see if there is anything we missed while it was happening." He murmured as she lightly scratched at his jaw. His hand had settled on her hip and seared through her thin robe. 

 

"Hmm, clever thinking Hackerman!" She teased, and he chuckled low and deep, gods that shouldn't be as sexy as it was. 

 

"It'll take a while, but I'm hoping there'll be something. What are you doing?" 

 

She shrugged and began carding her fingers through his hair. Why did men always have the softest hair? 

 

"I'm going to get ready to face the Chief and Phil. Both will be here today." She said carefully, watching his pretty face for any sign of discontent. His eyes tightened on Phil's name, making her want to giggle. 

 

"Lucky you." He muttered darkly and she laughed. 

 

"Hush, love. I made it very clear that I wanted nothing to do with him." She whispered and cupped his face with both hands, bringing him closer so he was almost out of focus, but she saw the spark catch quick and hot in his eyes. 

 

"I know. I was listening." He admitted and she wanted to crow her victory. She'd known he'd been eavesdropping and had said what she had for him.

 

"I know you were. He wasn't what I was expecting, actually." She explained and he gestured for her to continue. 

 

"I think it's all an act. I think he's very insecure and hides behind the womanizer thing to avoid anyone noticing."

 

"I see. I still don't like him." His hands now framed her waist, and she stroked her thumbs across his cheekbones, the tension in the air thickening until she could almost reach out and touch it. Lust flashed through her, spearing straight to her core, quick and dirty. 

 

"Oh I know, Jake. How can we overcome this?" She ghosted her lips over his, smiling at his sharp inhale as she traced the shape of his mouth with hers. 

 

"I have no idea." His voice was guttural now, sliding over her skin like dark magic and she fought the need to shiver as his fingers dug into her waist to tug her closer. 

 

"Shall I remind you who I love?" Another kiss, using her teeth to lightly tug on his bottom lip. 

 

"Will I tell you all the things I think about whenever I'm around you?" Her voice sultry and low, she ran the tip of her tongue along the seam of his mouth, Jake groaned and the hands at her waist flexed, making her smile. Heat pooled between her thighs, slick and hot and heavy, she hadn't intended any of this when she'd come up here, but now it was all she could think about. She grabbed one of his hands before whispering her next words, guiding it under her robe. 

 

"Or you can just  feel  how much I want and need you. The choice is yours." 

 

 

Her voice was breathless now. Jake's eyes were at half mast, pupils blown wide, and she knew he could feel the heat of her through her flimsy underwear. She held her breath as his fingers moved, sliding under the lace and growling possessively when he found her wet and hot. She smiled wickedly and spread her legs, bracing her hand on his shoulder and crushing her mouth to his as he spread her essence around. 

 

 

Kissing him felt like coming home, and it never seemed to lose its intensity. He licked into her mouth, demanding and in complete control. She gave into it willingly, a hand sliding into his hair to pull him closer, tilting her head, so the kiss turned dirty and messy, his fingers pushing her underwear to the side, teasing her clit until her legs shook. Idly, she wondered if this was normal, she'd never been so obsessed with another person's body before or been ready to combust with just a kiss, she didn't really care about the answer when he pushed a finger inside her. She felt him smile against her mouth when her nails dug into his shoulder in reaction, hips canting to chase his hand as it moved within her. He nipped at her lips. Letting her breathe to scrape sharp teeth along her jaw, biting his way down her neck and settling over her frantic pulse, mouthing and sucking at it as he effortlessly pulled her apart. 

 

She moaned his name when he added another finger, the heel of his hand rubbing her clit, sending shocks through her, and she was sure her knees would give out soon. Jake seemed to sense this and wrapped an arm around her to hold her up. Watching her face now he was pleased he'd marked her enough for everyone to see. The thought should've annoyed her, the jealousy behind it but it only excited her more and her whimper of complete distress gave her away.

 

"Do you want to know what I think about whenever you're near me?" He murmured, voice laced with dark promise, and she shivered, unable to do anything but nod. 

 

"All I can think about is how you taste on my tongue." He licked his lips in emphasis, and she whined as he crooked his fingers and made her jerk, a flood of wetness coating his hand.

 

"How you feel wrapped around my cock, so tight and hot as you fall apart." 

 

She could barely breathe, couldn't think or speak, the filthy words turning her on to dangerous levels, and she felt like a wildfire under his gaze. 

 

"And when you call out  my  name when I make you come, I can barely control myself, and I want to keep you up here so I can hear you say it again and again and  again." 

 

Another finger as he growled the last word at her, thumb deliberately circling her clit as she shook and struggled to think past all he was doing to her. She was so close, his words and fingers hitting all the right spots, but he stopped. The hand inside her pulled away, she opened her mouth to complain but he kissed her again, standing to edge her back towards her desk. She felt the cold, hard edge of it hit her ass before he lifted her up, sitting her on the edge and spreading her thighs until he could stand between them. She heard him move her laptop before encouraging her to lay back. 

 

 

She did as she was told, reluctantly breaking the kiss as her heart pounded, blood rushing in her ears to deafen her. Jake smirked as he stared down at her, fingers glistening with her essence untied the knot of her robe and pulled it apart, finding her nude except for her lace underwear. She hadn't put on a bra yet so the pleased look he gave her made her arch her back to offer up her breasts and Jake obliged.

 

He bent down, and that mouth, gods, that mouth, sealed around her nipple, teeth grazing and nipping gently to make her buck and moan. He worked her over until she was panting, nipple red and hard, sheened with his attentions before he did the same to the other. She could feel her need drip down onto the desk, so turned on that she knew she wouldn't last long when he stopped teasing. 

 

"Jake, touch me. Please, just… fuck!" 

 

She didn't get to finish. He grunted, and she felt a sharp tug before hearing the sound of something ripping, realizing he'd torn her underwear off only when he flung it behind him. She laughed wildly, delighted and outraged but desperately needing him to banish the cramping ache in her core. Jake only smiled and crouched. She cursed and began muttering nonsense as his hands slid up her thighs to pin her open for him. 

 

She lifted her head to watch as he hovered over her, so sensitive his breath felt like a caress. She was prepared to beg and offer him anything if he'd just put that mouth on her, but she didn't need to. He was as desperate to taste her as she was to be tasted. The flat of his tongue dragged up the seam of her, and they both moaned. She twitched when he swallowed her down and flicked the tip of his hot tongue over her clit. He was like a man starved and she was the only thing he wanted to eat. She could only lie there and take it. 

 

He moved between quick darts of his tongue and broad strokes. Fire licked down her abdomen and turned her molten as his tongue pushed inside. She clutched his hair, curling in on herself as he brought her to the edge, too fast and too much. Every muscle tensed and trembled as he sucked her clit into his mouth and tapped his tongue against it. She could feel him watching her as she mewled and spasmed under him. The ache kept building until she was sobbing under the intensity of it. She had to get rid of it, her orgasm shimmered so near, but she wanted to feel him when she came. 

 

"I need you to fuck me. I can't wait." 

 

Jake didn't give in to her demand, using fingers and tongue to fill her instead. It wasn't enough, but it countered the emptiness long enough for him to latch onto her clit and push her over the edge. It wasn't his fingers or tongue that had her coming, though. It was what she'd seen when she dared to open her eyelids. He'd unbuckled his jeans at some point and had his hand wrapped around his cock, stroking himself as he pleasured her, so turned on by what he was doing to her he had to touch himself.

 

Her orgasm rippled out in gentle waves, satisfying but not taking away her arousal or that nagging ache. She whined as he stopped but didn't open her eyes yet. She felt the head of him brush against her before he pushed inside so slowly she wanted to whimper, her orgasm still fluttering through her. Hands pulled her hips to slide her down his length. A curse from him and a pleased moan from her when he was seated to the hilt. She forgot about the hardness of the desk under her and how uncomfortable it was when he began to move.

 

He was watching himself disappear inside her cunt. Mesmerized as she swallowed him down and tightened her muscles to hear him make that sound he only ever made whenever he was inside her. Her legs wrapped around his hips once they'd stopped shaking, and she held onto the edges of the desk with a white-knuckled grip as he picked up speed, hips snapping brutally. He was still fully dressed while she was basically naked, it should've annoyed her, but she only felt proud of herself. He was so desperate to fuck her he didn't want to waste time undressing, and she was shamelessly arching her back, rolling her hips to meet his thrusts as that coil tightened within her once more. 

 

It wasn't fair; she still felt the effects of her first release, and he was pushing her into another so fast she would've been embarrassed if he didn't look so fucking wrecked himself. Dark eyes met hers, and she wanted to kiss him, had to occupy her mouth so the whole house didn't hear her screaming his name. He understood and slid a hand under her, sweaty skin sticking to the desk as he pulled her up, and she wrapped her arms around his neck. 

 

He took her mouth and lifted her off his cock, smothering her frustrated grunt and walked them over to the bed, stealing her breath all the while. She was lowered onto her back, only breaking the kiss as he shucked off his jeans. Crawling over her and threw her legs over his shoulder and sheathed himself inside her in one quick motion as he bent her body until she was trapped under him. Rough hands gripped her hips as he rose onto his knees and fucked her hard. She thrashed her head against the bed, the pressure and fullness of this new angle robbing her of her ability to do much else. He banded his arm over her legs to lock her in place as he twisted her further, using her the way she liked now and giving her no mercy as those singular eyes bore into her. 

 

She was mindless and utterly wrecked watching his face, jaw gritted hard as he moved within her tight clasp, the sounds she made were too loud but she was past caring. Her stomach tensed, inner walls beginning to flutter as he hit that spot deep inside her again and again, heat and smoke twined in her veins. The delicious drag of his hard cock teased her flesh exquisitely. He was holding onto her hip so hard she'd have bruises later but didn't care, wanted more, more, more. She worked her hand between her legs, finding her swollen clit to counter the intensity and circling it as he watched her closely, feeling how close to shattering she was. There was something predatory in his gaze that held a note of such dominance she whimpered and clenched around him, drawing a groan from his chest. 

 

It was all too much, too good and devastating, hanging from a cliff edge while he pounded into her and she knew he could see exactly what he did to her when he smiled so sinfully she spasmed. Needy whines crawled out of her throat as she felt the beginning pulse of release. The rush of wetness that came with it easing his movements so he could fuck her impossibly harder. Her busy fingers kept circling her clit, body jerking and jumping as shocks went through her, and Jake only had to growl two words to end her torment.

 

"You're mine." 

 

Her body reacted instantly, locking up and curling in on herself as it finally broke, tearing her away from sanity. Static filled her vision. Great waves of liquid heat rolled through her as her cunt fluttered around his length and clamped down on him to keep him there, a strangled sound coming from him that she barely heard over the roar of blood in her ears. Her mouth was open but no sound came out. She barely felt him snap and bury himself inside her as he came, was only dimly aware of him releasing her jumpy legs as he spilled inside her. The sinful feel of his release as it slipped from her when he pulled out making her moan his name at last.

 

She came back to herself slowly, then all at once, blinking lust-hazed eyes to look at him. Her head was on his chest, his fingers drawing shapes into the skin of her hip as his heart still pounded under her ear. His eyes were closed, face flushed and sheened with sweat, and her chest tightened with affection. She still couldn't wrap her mind around how she ended up here but would never regret a second of it.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

She was back downstairs, chugging coffee and hoping her shower and makeup hid all evidence of what she'd been up to. However, she felt immensely pleased with herself and felt no remorse at stealing some happiness after so much bitterness. She had dressed in what she called her battle attire; skin-tight black leggings and long-sleeved top and felt ready to face the day. Her hair had been a lost cause, so she'd twisted it into a bun on the top of her head and hoped for the best, lips painted red so Jake would stare at her mouth all day.

 

She was listening to Dan and Thomas argue over who played the best Batman, and neither of them seemed willing to come to a compromise. She found it entertaining enough to keep her mind off Alan's visit. She had no idea when he would come, but Camille had texted her to say she was on her way with Phil. Manon had relayed that to Jake, who smirked and eyed her neck, a little too pleased with himself. Part of her was sadistically excited for the two men to face off and the other part wanted to lay down puppy pads for the inevitable pissing contest. She did not wish to waste time cleaning.

 

Jessy and the other girls had retreated upstairs to get dressed. Jessy had come down with a glint in her eye, proclaiming she was ready to make Hanson's life miserable, and Manon admired her strength. She was munching on a croissant when Jake came down and eyed her appreciatively. She smirked and winked just to see the pink flush creep up his neck. He busied himself making coffee and finding something to eat. At the same time, she scrolled through her music playlists, trying to find something she was in the mood for and eventually just hit shuffle and let it play quietly. He'd worn the tight shirt she so loved, black of course but it hugged every hard, muscled inch of him beautifully and she'd known he'd done it so she would struggle to keep her eyes off him.

 

They sat in comfortable silence at the island, and Jake pretended he hadn't just been inside her. A heavy ache between her legs made her smile whenever she moved. Steve had gone for a run when he grew bored of discussing superheroes with Dan and Thomas. She was going to miss him once he left and was already planning on visiting him once her life had stopped resembling a hurricane. A knock at the door had her heart pounding. She stood slowly, dusting her hands off before heading for the door and pulling it open. She found an irritated Camille with Phil lingering behind her, looking a tad shocked as he looked around him. Manon welcomed them in and led them to the kitchen, Jake appeared nonchalant and he wore that impassive mask she hadn't seen for so long.

 

She made the usual introductions, choking down a laugh when Jake shook Phil's hand and appeared to be trying to crush it. Phil looked to her and back at Jake, putting the pieces together. He wasn't stupid, but the smug look on his face had her worried. Camille was all brisk and businesslike as she explained what happened after Manon left the prison. It had been a smooth process, thankfully, but Phil still had battles to fight before he was in the clear if Manon didn't solve the case. It was yet another heavy burden that lightened when she heard a delighted squeal. Jessy ran past her in a blur of red hair and flung herself at Phil, who caught her, a look of exasperation on his freshly shaved face. When he met Manon's eye, she looked at him meaningfully, reminding him of her warning as she left yesterday, and he nodded once. She would not allow him to hurt her again.

 

"How are you? You look good. Did anyone hurt you? Have you spoken with Angela yet? Can you reopen the bar?" Jessy asked in a rush and Phil laughed as he disentangled himself from his sister.

 

"Calm down, Jessy. I'm fine, no, definitely not, and yes. Angela called but I didn't answer." He muttered and Manon lifted a brow, glancing at Jake, who shrugged.

 

It appeared Phil didn't get on with either of his siblings despite their apparent love for him. She knew he would reopen the bar and planned to visit once he did. She hoped Jake would go with her, she quite enjoyed the idea of drunk and messy sex in a public place.

 

"Good, that's so good. I'm so sorry, Phil. You should never have been in there." Jessy said earnestly and Manon stiffened. Only Jake's hand on her lower back kept her from saying something.

 

"It's fine, it's..." He looked to Manon and she shrugged, he could dig his own grave or build a damn bridge, but she would not help him do it.

 

"It wasn't your fault. They found one of my matchbooks with that girl's body and that kickstarted everything. Once they discovered Hanson left me the bar, I was fucked."

 

Manon smiled and looked away, pleased he was trying and hoped it would continue.

 

Cleo and Lilly came down then and Manon didn't miss the scathing look Cleo threw at Phil or the taunting smile he gave back. There was a definite tension between those two, so much so that even Camille was looking between them,

 

"Camille, do you want coffee?" Manon asked her, remembering her manners.

 

"It's the least you owe me after telling me the Motel coffee was great. I almost choked, Manon." Her voice was laced with annoyance and Manon couldn't help but laugh. If she had to suffer it, so did Camille.

 

Once she'd fixed them both a cup and given it to them, they all went through to the dining room, but Dan and Thomas seemed to have decided to stay out of it. It was for the best after everything Phil had said about Hannah and Manon was sure Dan still blamed him for his car crash. Jake sat close beside her, a possessive hand on her thigh that felt like a hot brand because Phil had chosen to sit directly across from her and kept  accidentally  nudging her leg with his foot. Now he was outside of that interview room, all his usual confidence had returned and he had forgotten her turning him down. She ignored him and laced her fingers through Jakes, squeezing three times as she listened to Phil's rundown of events. It remained the same as he'd told it yesterday and she knew he wouldn't reveal anything new to all of them. She would have to visit the bar and shake it out of him.

 

Eventually, she was tired of it all and changed the subject.

 

"How long are you staying, Camille?"

 

Camille sighed, "That depends entirely on you, Manon. I'll leave for Colville on Monday and take a hotel there. I can work from there until Phil is clear. I've put all my clients on hold and only kept the few I can work remotely."

 

"Wow, no pressure then," Manon said sarcastically and snorted a laugh.

 

"Just don't add to my workload. You have a knack for getting tangled in the most bizarre situations." Camille warned, but Manon could see the smile in her eyes even if her mouth didn't so much as twitch.

 

Manon crossed herself and gave a solemn nod.

 

"I solemnly swear I won't fuck things up... too much." She winked and Jake chuckled low and deep beside her drawing her attention. He had that indulgent look again, the one he wore whenever he found her impossible or entertaining. Camille only rolled her eyes and sipped her coffee. She'd given Manon that warning many times before and it was now their weird catchphrase. Steve chose that moment to come in, sweaty and out of breath as his eyes danced over the group. He smiled brightly when he noticed Camille.

 

"Its' good to see you, Ms. Vasquez. It's been a while!" Steve chirped and Manon smothered a laugh. He'd never been able to call her by her first name after she'd chewed him out and then saved his ass that time he got a little too cocky after joining the cybercrime division.

 

"Mr. Hartley," Camille returned with a tiny curl of her mouth, "I hope you no longer spend your time hacking airports in order to upgrade your girlfriend to first class?" Camille asked dryly and Manon cackled. Steve turned a dull shade of red and grimaced sheepishly.

 

"No, Ma'am, I pay for those seats now. I learned my lesson." He scratched the back of his neck and glared at Manon because she was still laughing. Even Camille cracked a smile.

 

"Good, I hear you're married now and have a baby on the way?" Camille asked once Steve had returned to his normal color and Manon had managed to shut up.

 

Manon tuned them out and leaned over to whisper in Jake's ear.

 

"Would you do that for me?"

 

Jake smirked, "I could, but I could also just pay for it."

 

"You're no fun." She teased and delighted in the roll of his eyes, catching Phil watching them from the corner of her eye.

 

Jake leaned in so close that his breath ghosted down her neck and she shivered.

 

"I'll break the law for you if you wish, Manon, but you weren't complaining earlier. No, you were  moaning  my name. "

 

Oh, she was in trouble, that fucking mouth of his was dangerous and she could only twitch in response, the hand on her thigh tightening in emphasis as heat spread under her skin. She turned away from him and ignored his smug face, she'd met her match in him, and it thrilled her, even if she was now trying to strangle her inconvenient lust as Phil glanced between them. She chose to ignore him too and focus on the conversation between her friends and Camille. Her lawyer seemed a bit out of place but managed to answer any question Jessy had and ease her mind. Manon was so thankful she'd come just for that and the sparkle was back in Jessys eyes. Her friend deserved good things.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

She had seen Camille and Phil off, setting up a date to visit the Aurora and warning him not to go near the secret room until she could see it. He agreed on the threat of losing his favorite body part and Manon had received a call from Alan Bloomgate to tell her he'd be there soon. It was mid-afternoon and her friends were scattered throughout the house. Jake was upstairs, still working on the recording and she was in the dining room taking down her murder board. She had no intention of sharing more than she needed to, though she understood this was more of a get-to-know-you meeting. She would have to visit the station for the good stuff and looked forward to doing so.

 

She had her AirPods in as she quietly sang along to the song playing and didn't hear Dan. She swung around when he tapped her arm, instinct taking over at the unexpected touch, fist flying at his face. She saw his startled face and panicked, but he managed to raise a hand to block it. She tore out the earbuds and apologized.

 

"Shit, sorry. I didn't hear you. It was reflex."

 

Dan was wide-eyed but laughed, "Damn Nonbon! That would've broken my nose. I like my nose."

 

She chuckled, "It's safe, don't worry. What's up?"

 

Dan sighed, "Phil. What do you think?"

 

She pulled out a chair and slumped into it.

 

"He's... a bit of a prick, but I don't think he's actually involved. I don't believe he tampered with your car."

 

"Nah, I don't either, not anymore," Dan admitted. Manon was surprised, had fully expected him to explain why he thought it was Phil again.

 

"Are you sure it wasn't just because you were drunk, Dan?"

 

"Maybe, I just can't shake the feeling that nothing is a coincidence. Not in this shithole of a town."

 

Manon chuckled and appraised him. He looked better, the bruises were fading, and he moved around easier now. She'd seen him walking on crutches a few times too. She knew he was sick of being stuck inside, unable to help.

 

"I get it, everything seems connected here, but we will work on the theory it was just an accident until evidence proves otherwise." She said decisively, and Dan nodded, she'd never seen him so serious and it weirded her out.

 

"I agree, Nonbon! When's the big chief coming for tea?" He joked and she smiled.

 

"Soon. He won't be here long. He's technically off duty."

 

"Isn't he always?" He drawled, and she chuckled, nodding.

 

"It seems that way. You good though?" She was worried and liked Dan, finding him easy to get along with despite his abrasive nature.

 

"I will be. I'm more worried about Jessy." He admitted.

 

Manon winced, "I see, do you still...?" She had to know but honestly didn't want to get involved. Just wished to protect Jessy in case she turned to him for comfort.

 

He shook his head. "Nah, I realized when I came here that we are better as friends. I'm just looking out for her."

 

Manon let go of the breath she was holding and relaxed.

 

"Thank you, she needs her friends right now."

 

Dan raised a brow, voice free of his usual humor once again, "You are one of them too, Manon."

 

Something inside her sparked with joy at that. At times, she felt like an outsider due to the way she dropped into their lives and often worried they resented her.

 

"I know." She said simply but smiled warmly at him. Dan grinned and gently punched her shoulder.

 

"Good, that's enough of the sappy shit for now. I'm off to annoy Tommy boy, I haven't made him cry in a while."

 

She laughed and watched him go. Something pleasant was glowing in her chest, and she was grateful for his words, confident Dan would deny them if she told anyone, though. She got back to work and soon had everything packed away, running it upstairs to hide it and waste time before Alan arrived.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

JAKE

 

 

 

 

They were all in the living room. Alan had arrived just before 3 pm and was sitting with a mug of coffee, eyeing them disdainfully. Manon was sprawled in an armchair, feet propped up on the coffee table. A feline smile on her scarlet lips and a look of complete and utter irreverence on her face that made him wonder whether she'd been born with it or had earned it through blood and skill and sacrifice. The silence was so complete he could hear the leaves on the trees outside shift in the wind and the slow, steady drip of a tap in the kitchen that someone hadn't fully closed.

 

 

Everyone looked between Manon and the chief, both in a standoff to see who would speak first, and Jake's money was on Alan. Jessy was fighting a grin as her eyes bounced between the two. Cleo looked ready to burst, Lilly kept glancing at him, but all he could do was incline his head as the other three men sat back to watch the show. Jake wished he were a betting man when Alan set down his untouched coffee and cleared his throat.

 

 

"I thought the purpose of this meeting was to talk." He said in a flat affect, and Manon laced her hands behind her head, smirking slightly at the police chief.

 

 

"It is, lovely weather we're having, isn't it?" She quipped, and Jake bit down on the inside of his cheek to keep from laughing, he heard Jessy snort, but Manon didn't even blink at the scowl Alan directed at her.

 

 

"That's not what I meant. Is your goal to completely screw this investigation and let a killer run free?”

 

 

Manon went deathly still. A shadow flickered in those sea-green eyes, sending a chill snaking down Jake's spine. He watched as she dropped her feet from the table and ran her hands over the arms of the chair, eyes near glowing with predatory focus.

 

 

"I believe you're doing that well enough on your own." She said too quietly, and Jake couldn't help the desire that licked down his spine at seeing her in action. He'd heard it yesterday when she was at the prison with Phil and had wanted to drag her upstairs the second she got home, but actually  seeing  it would test his self-control.

 

 

Alan froze and narrowed his eyes, voice seething with venom as he spat the words at her.

 

 

"You have some nerve, little girl."

 

 

Manon's smile became lethal.

 

 

"Oh, Alan, let's not play this game. I promise you won't come out the victor."

 

 

Alan blinked, just once and sighed, lifting a hand to scrub at his stubbled jaw, and Jake could have sworn he saw the fight leave him like a demon being exorcised under the heat of Manon's steady gaze. She snorted and picked at her nails, leaning back in her chair.

 

 

Manon said to the police chief, "I have a few questions for you. Questions you'd do well to answer."

 

 

He stiffened, hand twitching towards the gun holstered on his hip.

 

 

"You do understand I'm the chief in this town. After getting you in to see the only suspect we had, I don't owe you anything."

 

 

Manon's lovely eyes flashed with delight at Alan's slip, and Jake guessed he'd answered one of her questions.

 

 

"That's one." She crooned, and heat flashed through him, going straight to his groin. Alan went pink as he realized he'd revealed something without meaning to.

 

 

Alan drew in a tight breath, shoulders slumping as he blew it back out.

 

 

"Fine. Ask your questions. Then you can answer mine." He ground out reluctantly.

 

 

Manon gave a satisfied little nod and propped her chin on her fist.

 

 

"Leading on from your comment just now, have you looked into anyone besides Thomas and Phil?"

 

Thomas jolted at his name but settled back down when Dan tugged on his elbow. Dan looked like he wished he had popcorn while everyone else watched Manon, stunned. Steve had been quietly observing everything but looked on at Manon like a proud father.

 

 

"No," Alan admitted through a tightly clenched jaw.

 

 

"Why not?" Manon asked.

 

 

"There is nothing to point at anyone other than those two." Each word was tighter than the last, it killed him to admit how lacking his force had been, and he looked as if he wanted to throttle Manon. Jake hoped the man would be stupid enough to try it so he could watch her put him on his ass, would cheer her on as she did.

 

 

"Thank you for not lying to me. I'd have hated to call in the big guns to force it out of you. One more question." She leaned forward to pick up her glass of juice and sipped it slowly. Alan grew more impatient by the second. Manon spoke only once she put the glass down and leaned back in her chair. He realized it was all a power play, and she held all the cards.

 

 

"What do you plan to do now that he attacked again and Phil and Thomas were nowhere near the scene?" Her voice was midnight soft, it slid across his skin and filled him with want. Gods, she was stunning, and somehow she'd chosen him.

 

 

Alan resembled a worn-out man now, deflating before their eyes and his next words seemed to cost him.

 

 

"I don't know. That's why I'm here."

 

 

"Good. Let's push the animosity and pettiness aside, then. I want to catch this bastard and save my friends. I'll need your support to do so, and you'll need mine. Do you agree?"

 

 

Alan clasped his hands together and nodded.

 

 

"What do you need?" he asked.

 

 

Manon smiled, a true one this time, and he couldn't take his eyes off her.

 

 

"I want full access to all you have on this case."

 

 

"And what will you give me in return?" Alan prodded, and Manon arched an imperious brow, tilting her head as she considered.

 

 

"Michael Hanson." She stated simply. Alan's eyes shuttered and Jake didn't miss it. Neither did Manon though she hid her excitement better.

 

 

"What about him?" Alan tried to dance around it, and Manon slid her eyes to Jake, vindication flashing in her wicked eyes.

 

 

"I believe he is behind it, and you have already dealt with him. You should try to find out what he's been up to since he left town." She shrugged, the action lazy and dismissive when he shook his head.

 

 

"I believe Michael to be dead. His ex wife had him pronounced as such after he disappeared," His voice was empty of any inflection or emotion, Manon only smirked.

 

 

"I have reason to believe otherwise. You asked for my help. There it is. You have nothing else to go on so what do you have to lose by checking into him, Alan?"

 

 

Alan watched her closely, seeing her differently now. Jake was completely besotted with her, impressed, and turned on as she played the chief like a fucking violin.

 

"Okay. I'll see what I can do. What makes you think it's him? No one has seen him in years."

 

 

Manon's voice was light and gave nothing away as she replied.

 

 

"A few things I'm not ready to share with you until you've had your team check into him. I won't risk it falling into the wrong hands."

 

 

Alan snarled, his earlier petulance rearing its head, "It's the least you could do after I answered all of your questions and granted permission you don't deserve."

 

 

Manon sat up, dropping her serene mask and revealing the rage he knew slithered under her skin, only needing a tiny spark to ignite it. And Alan had just dropped a wildfire on it.

 

 

"Enough of that. If you had done your damn job 10 years ago, none of this would be happening. I suggest you leave and rectify that by looking into Hanson. I will drop into town during the week for an update, and if you fail  again , I'll get my own people on it, and you won't like it if I do."

 

 

Alan stared at her, trembling with thinly veiled anger.

 

 

"Is that a threat or a promise?" 

 

 

"Both." She purred, and Jake choked back a shocked laugh. In theory, Alan could arrest her for all she'd done while working this case before arriving here. But he didn't, he stood and looked her up and down, but Manon somehow looked down her nose at him even from her seated position.

 

 

"You're just like your father. Arrogant and think you know it all, it'll get you killed." He said too quietly as he walked to the door. Manon followed but not before getting the last word.

 

 

"Thank you, Alan, that's my favorite compliment. Off you fuck now!" And slammed the door shut on his outraged face.

 

 

Silence reigned for all of a second before Jessy broke it.

 

 

"Fucking hell. That was the best thing I've ever seen, and I include Dirty Dancing in that... I love that movie more than my mother."

 

 

Manon threw her head back and laughed, but Jake could see her hands were shaking as the anger and adrenaline raced through her veins. The others joined in with Manon as they heard Alan's car skidding away from the house.

 

 

"I can't believe you spoke to him like that," Cleo muttered once she'd stopped laughing.

 

 

"I thought he was going to shoot her at one point." Dan chuckled, and Manon shrugged.

 

 

"Nah, he needs our help and hates that he does. Anger is easier to focus on than his own shortcomings." She explained and flicked her eyes to Jake, something like uncertainty shining there as if she were afraid of his reaction. He couldn't have that, so he gave her a wicked grin, letting her see all the lust and love and longing he felt for her in his eyes and watching her own growing dark as her pupils dilated.

 

 

"So, what happens now? Will he still let you see the files he has?" Lilly piped up and Manon's gaze flew to her.

 

 

"Yeah, don't worry, that was needed so that he could accept my help and not hinder me when I see him. I had to provoke him and get it out of the way, or we'd be running in circles."

 

 

Pride filled his chest as he saw just how well she could read people and lead them to do what she wanted. He had never stood a chance and understood Steve's words to him;  You were fucked the second she caught a sniff of the mystery behind you.  Steve himself smiled and inclined his head when Jake met his eye as if he'd read the words on his face. He didn't look shocked by Manon's performance, and the same pride Jake felt was reflected in his face. Manon truly was born to do this, and he thanked any God listening for bringing her to them. Suddenly sure they would save Hannah and Richy very soon.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

MANON

 

 

 

 

 

 

She walked Steve to his car. The excitement earlier had ebbed away, and she felt a bit empty once the adrenaline bled out of her, hunger snarling in her stomach alongside the sadness at his leaving. She had enjoyed letting Alan know how much she blamed him and despaired at his lack of progress. It had been effortless to slide back into the skin of the weapon her father had helped forge her into. Steve finished loading his bags and closed the trunk, turning to gather into a hug. She relaxed and smiled, he was a tactile person and always knew when she needed one of his bear hugs. He pulled back and settled his hands on her shoulders.

 

 

"Magnus would be so proud, Manon. So am I." He said sincerely, and tears stung her eyes. She blinked them away and gave him a watery grin.

 

 

"Thank you. Now go, get back to your wife and text me when you land. I'll be down to visit once she has the baby." She promised, and he grinned, squeezing her shoulders before letting go and moving to open his car door.

 

 

"Don't be a stranger, Manon. Anything you need, remember that. I'll see you soon. Love you." 

 

 

"Love you too." 

 

 

She stood in the drive and waved, watching until he was out of sight and loosed a breath once she lost sight of him. She felt light and heavy all at once and only turned when she heard footsteps crunching on the gravel behind her. Finding Jake coming to her with a gentle smile and understanding in his sapphire eyes.

 

 

"You okay?" He asked once close enough, wrapping his arm around her and pulling her against him.

 

 

"Yeah, just starving, and... I'll miss him." She admitted in a whisper, feeling exposed and vulnerable.

 

 

Jake nodded and pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

 

 

"I know. We'll visit." He swore, and her heart skipped a beat, a bright smile crawling across her face as she looked up at him.

 

 

"Oh,  we  will, will we?" She teased to make him laugh that lovely laugh of his.

 

 

"Yes, now come on, let's get something to eat." 

 

 

He dragged her back inside and into the kitchen where Cleo and Lilly were throwing together a mish-mash of food for everyone to eat, and both of them jumped in to help. It didn't take long and soon, they were all sitting around the living room eating and chatting and ignoring the action movie Thomas had put on for background noise. They felt like a family, Manon thought then, all of them with their baggage and ghosts, somehow coming together and finding a place they could be themselves. Including her, she hadn't balked at showing them her true self and only worried she'd frighten Jake. But the dark hunger in his eyes every time she'd caught him staring at her told her nothing she did would scare him. It was freeing and terrifying having him see all the things she worked so hard to keep hidden. She felt the same way towards him, knew there was nothing he could do or say that would run her off now. They'd face whatever came next together, hand in hand.

 

 

They would need each other, and she needed her friends just as badly. The knowledge settled within her, glowing softly, warming her to her marrow as she looked around at them all, smiling at each of them in turn. Even Dan, with his hard exterior, couldn't resist grinning back. She looked to Jake and whispered in his ear, "I think we'll be just fine."

 

 

Jake replied just as quietly, "I know we will."

 

 

She chuckled and held out her pinky, "For the hope of it all, then?" 

 

 

Jake linked his pinky in hers, "For the hope of it all, Manon." They shook on it, a sacred prayer and promise she'd go down swinging to keep.

 

 

 

 

Notes:

Thank you so much for reading! Tell me your thoughts in the comments so I can read them when I can't breathe and am begging for death to take me! I shall have them engraved on my tombstone.

It's raining here too and I'm so excited because I have the new Stephen King book to read whilst sick, I've been looking forward to it but kept putting it off to write. I had the BEST time with the confrontation with the chief. Manon takes no prisoners.

I hope I won't be sick for too long because I have the next chapter planned and partially written, there is a very cute thing I have written that I can't wait to share. Ill shut up now and let you continue with your day!

Chapter 17: Now what the fuck does all this mean? You know I’m still somebody’s daughter, see

Summary:

This is mainly a tooth-rotting fluff piece with a tiny bit of plot in the middle! It’s Sunday in Duskwood and not much else to do except revel in their joy.

Notes:

I'm sorry this took so long. It was 90% written since the day after I posted the previous chapter but I felt so awful I couldn’t finish it. I still have the fucking cold but I finally finished! I hope it’s worth the wait and thank you to the lovely people who take the time to comment their fave bits in each chapter. It helps me feel less like I'm posting this into the void lol

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

asked

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Well, go on and be a big girl

You asked for this now

Go on and be a big girl

Or everybody’s gonna drown you out

Go on and be a big girl

You asked for this now

You better show ’em why you talk so loud

 

I want my cake on a silver platter 

I want a fistful in my hands

I want a beautiful boys despondent laughter

I wanna ruin all my plans

I want a fist around my throat

I wanna cry so hard, I choke

 

But I want everything I asked for”

 

You Asked For This - Halsey 

*******

 

 

 

 

MANON

 

 

 

 

Sundays were always her least favorite day of the week. It was always a day she wasted dreading the following one, Monday and even here, in her safe bubble with Jake she found herself wishing the day would end. The weather outside did not reflect her mood. It was another hot day, the sun splitting the sky and not even a wisp of a cloud dared to invade the endless sea of blue. The forest was a stunning blend of green and brown, all the different shades blending and mixing under the light of the sun. She thought it pretty, but it did not help her feel any better knowing what was coming soon.

 

Manon had spent the morning cleaning and doing laundry, music blaring to drown the screaming hurricane of thoughts racing around her head. She’d dressed all in red once done. She chose a pretty sundress that swished around her calves whenever she moved, the thin straps baring her shoulders to the heat as she settled on the patio with a cup of coffee. She’d taken the time to curl her hair, braiding the sides back to keep it off her face while the rest of it flowed down her back in waves, shining like brushed silver. Yesterday she’d worn her battle outfit and today she’d chosen another type of power. After all, she was signing a deal with the devil and wanted to look the part.

 

Time ticked down too swiftly and she grew more agitated by the second, barely noticing when Jake came out to sit with her, immediately grabbing her hand and squeezing. She’d turned to him and smiled, but it was a delicate thing, her nerves on high alert. Still, he seemed to understand without her explaining and remained a quiet, supportive presence. They’d decided this morning that he would be in the room during the call, out of sight of course. Still, she did not want to agree on his behalf, signing his life away too, not without seeing that he fully understood. Though she knew he was prepared to do so if it meant he was free and could put down roots here. That had broken through her brooding, a tingle of excitement and longing for the days they could just exist and not worry anymore. How their life would look, she wasn’t sure. But she was willing to see and try and do anything if it meant she could keep him and he could keep her.

 

Her friends were out on a walk, sticking to a well-worn trail since Dan had demanded he be included. They’d lugged his wheelchair along with them but he’d insisted on using his crutches. After seeing the stubborn determination on his face, Manon hadn’t the heart to talk him out of it. They’d all noticed she was edgy and quiet and had given her space to work some of it off, not commenting on the volume of the music she’d played. She really didn’t deserve them, but she couldn’t help it. Whenever she was worried or afraid, she turned in on herself and leaned on silence. Steve would say it was her only child syndrome, but she sometimes thought she was just a moody bitch.

 

 

She had finished her coffee by the time Jake finally spoke, the concern and affection in his tone cutting through the noise in her head.

 

 

“Do you want to talk about it? You don’t have to do anything for me, Manon. Not if it makes you feel like this.”

 

 

She met his eye, the color startling under the midday sun, and smiled softly.

 

 

“It’s not that. It’s…” she sighed and shook her head, looking away as she hunted for the words.

 

 

“I get stuck in my head when I’m scared or worried. The thoughts get so loud that I use all my energy to block them out. It doesn’t leave much for anything else.”

 

 

Jake hummed, drawing her eye and she found only love there.

 

 

“Why are you scared? “

 

 

She chuckled and ducked her head.

 

 

“This makes it official. Don’t get me wrong, I want to do it, and I’m actually relieved, but at the same time, it means I’m no longer independent. I work for someone else now. It’s silly, but I liked the freedom I had. It was everything else that came with it that I didn’t enjoy very much.”

 

 

“I get it. I feel the same way, actually.” He admitted softly, sounding nervous and Manon smiled for real this time, turning her body to face him.

 

 

“Yeah?”

 

 

Jake nodded, “I’ve been alone so long it’s difficult to imagine that not being the case, but I want to be able to live and grow, not run and hide.”

 

 

“I know. Are you sure this is what you really want though? Because we can find another way, Jake. You don’t have to do it for me.” She repeated his own words, not wishing him to resent her down the line and giving him one last chance to turn tail and return to his nomadic life.

 

 

“I’m not doing it for you. I’m doing it for us and for me, my mom. I’m tired of waiting for the luck to run out.” His voice was sincere, and it eased her mind more than any drug or drink ever could.

 

 

“Okay.” She said simply and gave a little nod. She inhaled deeply through her nose and held it, imagining it cleansing her mind and body as it filled her lungs. Blowing it out slowly once her head quietened and looked at her man.

 

 

“Shall we go up then?”

 

 

Jake gave her a crooked grin, dimple flashing, and nodded, pulling her up as he stood.

 

 

“Let’s go, sweetheart.” He winked and she giggled, shaking her head.

 

 

Her friends knew not to disturb them, but she hadn’t told them why. Steve had told her he had let them know she was in the FBI before and was in the process of rejoining. They still didn’t know who her father was or what she’d been through that would come later, and the thought didn’t terrify her like it used to. Actually, she looked forward to it. She knew they wouldn’t judge or pity her, only understand and offer comfort. She only hoped they didn’t hate her for hiding it for so long.

 

 

By the time they made it upstairs, they only had a handful of minutes before the call would come through, and she didn’t want to spend it pacing, wringing her hands. So she tugged Jake’s hand to make him turn and gave him a cheeky grin.

 

 

“Kiss for good luck?” She grinned, and he chuckled.

 

 

“You don’t need an excuse, Manon.” He murmured before capturing her lips in his. It was a tender, fleeting thing, the smallest taste of him that she knew would stay with her long enough to see her through the call. His mouth lingered over hers, almost reverently. It was a new type of intensity she hadn’t experienced until now, pressing in close one last time before pulling back. She smiled at him, but he was looking over her head towards her desk, he was nervous, and her heart began to pound, suddenly sure something was going to happen. She held her breath when he finally met her eye, joy and anxiety all fighting on his face.

 

“What is it?” She whispered, not sure why she was doing so.

 

“Turn around.”

 

 

She frowned, tilting her head to appraise him and considering forcing it out of him but making herself do as told instead. She looked around the room, seeing everything as she’d left it this morning and frowning in confusion until she finally saw it. Excitement shot through her as her feet began moving without her direction and she went straight for it. She stopped before her desk and stared at it, her heart fluttering and she hadn’t even seen what was inside yet. On her desk was a box about the size of her palm; she definitely hadn’t seen it there earlier. She’d been over here many times this morning and would have noticed it.

 

It was wrapped in matte black paper with a burgundy bow. After a long moment, she recognized it as the second gift Steve had refused to show her. Because it had been for her all along. Her heart raced furiously at the sight of it and she glanced back at Jake, who nodded, chuckling when she snatched it off the desk with a feral grin. She  loved  presents! She tugged on the end of the ribbon, letting the bow unravel and fall to her feet. Impatient fingers tore through the paper until she found her prize. She shook her head. Of all the things she’d expected when she’d got out of bed today, it wasn’t this, and Jake was sneakier than she thought. She drew in a breath before flipping the box open, a startled gasp at what she found. 

 

A necklace lay inside, a dainty locket with diamond accents hanging from the delicate silver chain, and she found herself speechless. Her heart seemed to bloom and grow as she gently trailed her finger over the pendant. She turned it over and saw he’d had it engraved, their initials in a fancy script. A tremor went through her as she traced a finger over the J. She gave a strangled chuckle and shook her head, wondering how he’d found something she’d like without her knowing.

 

 

“Is it okay?” He asked, voice tentative as she stared and stared at the locket

 

 

 She’d almost forgotten he was there. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply to calm the tempest of emotion raging in her chest as she twisted to face him. Her smile felt like it would split her face it was so wide his shy, unsure posture only endeared her further. 

 

 

“It's perfect. How did - I mean - why?” 

 

 

He pushed off the wall and came towards her, a soft look in his eyes and an air of determination around him as he reached her. He gently took the box from her shaking hands and carefully took out the necklace. His strong fingers were steady as he undid the clasp. He motioned for her to turn around, so she did, putting her back to him and lifting her hair off her neck. The air around them was electric, and she felt like this was more than a necklace. The cool metal settled just under her throat and quickly warmed, the length perfect so it wouldn’t swing around when she moved.

 

 

It was yet another thing he’d taken on board when he’d asked why she rarely wore jewelry despite owning plenty. She shivered as he did the clasp, his fingers grazing her neck and lingering for a moment. She lifted a hand to toy with the pendant and licked at her lips, scared to break the silence that felt sacred somehow. His hands settled on her shoulders, and he pressed a kiss to the side of her neck before finally replying to her stuttered question.

 

 

“Because I wanted to see your smile when you opened it.” He finally answered and she swallowed hard, valiantly fighting back the tears.

 

 

“Thank you, it’s… just - thank you.” 

 

 

He chuckled, turning her around to face him. 

 

 

“You’re welcome. It’s weird seeing you so unsure of what to say.” 

 

 

She laughed, her mind too fried to even come up with a snappy retort. Why did he have to go and do something so sweet? She felt as if she’d turned his life upside down with no warning, the selfish part of her claiming him no matter what he said, but she knew he could have walked at any point. If Jake didn’t want to be here, he wouldn’t be. They were two fragile people just trying to survive in a world that offered them only cruelty, flying through a storm that kept trying to tear them asunder. Somehow they’d found each other in amongst the smoke and blood. She believed in many things but sometimes struggled to believe in herself and that she deserved every bit of this love she’d wrapped herself up in. Jake watched her but didn’t speak, kissing her forehead as if to say, I see all of you, and I love you.

 

 

She finally cleared her throat and chose to ask the most straightforward question she had.

 

 

“How?”

 

 

His smile was a dangerous thing, so charming and sexy she felt a trickle of flame settle in her core. 

 

 

“I have my ways. Steve helped.” He whispered, voice so deep and raspy she felt it in her bones. 

 

 

She wanted him so badly it was almost a need, but she had to settle for a searing kiss, knowing they had very little time left until they had to face the music. Jake groaned when she breached his mouth and clung to her waist as she tasted and teased him, smiling into it when he gave back as good as he got. They parted before either of them could take it further, catching their breath and she smoothed her hands down her dress, making sure she was presentable as the chime began to ring from her laptop. Jake wished her luck and went to sit at his own desk, turning the chair to face her so they could communicate.

 

 Manon took her seat and quickly accepted the call, hands shaking, but she had no more doubts and composed her face into blank indifference. The screen went black for a second, and then she was face to face with the Director of the FBI, Christopher Wray. He wasted no time, and she had expected nothing less from him.

 

“Special Agent Adair. It’s been too long. You look well.” 

 

 

His smooth, well-polished voice raked over her nerves but she forced a smirk to her face. Refusing to show anything but cool confidence.

 

 

“Christopher.” She tilted her head, appraising, “You look… older.”

 

 

He didn’t miss a stride as he laughed at her remark. 

 

 

“Well, it has been a while. Mr. Hartley has informed you of our wishes, I take it?” 

 

 

Manon inclined her head, eyes flicking to Jake, who was tense but wore a small smile of reassurance that settled her.

 

 

“Yes. I asked him to set this up so I could inform you of my own. It seems I wasn’t clear enough.”

 

 

Chris straightened, his face a mask of arrogance, but she knew how to read him.

 

 

“I think I was very generous. What is it that troubles you?” 

 

 

Manon gave him a no-nonsense look. 

 

“Oh, you were. In what you want from me.” He smirked, and she knew he’d hoped it would come to this, “I said I didn’t want my life to revolve around you or to live in my father’s shadow. But that’s what you’re asking. See my problem?” 

 

 

His eye twitched, but she respected the impassive mask he’d kept in place. 

 

 

“And what makes you believe I’d agree to that when you’ve asked for so much?” 

 

 

A thread of impatience rang clear, and Manon bit back a smile. She could show him a thing or two about impatience. Jake’s steady gaze kept her calm and sure, the heat banking in his lovely eyes, promising her he’d make her forget all of this later.

 

She cleared her throat before laying it out for Chris, “I offered you my services, I promised to take on whatever case you choose for me, and I’m still happy to do so. I’m willing to work for you again, but it has to be on my terms, Christopher.” She let it sink in before continuing. 

 

 

 “However, I will  not  become my father. I will not be your performing monkey. I want to keep doing my own work. I want to have a  life .”

 

 

 Her tone was severe, she would not back down, and if it made her a bitch she didn’t care. She steeled her spine, knew she was going toe to toe with one of the most powerful men in America and intended to win, it was a game of poker, and she held the royal flush. Respect shone brightly in his grey eyes, and the corners of his lips lifted slightly. 

 

 

“You truly are Magnus’ daughter.” Manon cocked her head and smiled, 

 

 

“I am. He taught me well.”

 

 

“He did. There is one thing I cannot bend on, I’m afraid.” He looked down at his desk. She heard papers rustling and knew what was coming. He wanted Jake too. She chanced a look at him and saw nothing but determination on his handsome face, a fragile hope alongside it that eased her nerves somewhat.

 

 “The hacker you want to keep safe, I’ve been given the go-ahead to wipe all trace of him from the system. However…” he paused for dramatic effect, and Manon wanted to snarl. 

 

 

“I will only do so if he will work alongside you on the cases we give you. A talent like his… it’s a shame to waste it, and we can’t have him running around out there unchecked. You understand that, don’t you, Manon?” 

 

 

Manon’s hackles lifted, a shiver slithered down her spine and Jake silently told her to agree, but she wanted to test the boundaries a little. Somehow she kept everything she was feeling off her face and out of her voice. 

 

 

“I’m afraid I can’t speak for him. I’d prefer to tell you to go fuck yourself, but it’s really up to him.”

 

 

She gave him a saccharine smile and thought she’d gone too far for a moment, but he threw his head back and laughed, confusing her. 

 

 

“Oh, you sounded just like your father just now.” He shook his head, and she tried to calm her raging heart. 

 

 

“Why don’t you ask him, Adair? If he agrees, I’ll happily give you what you want. Things are a bit strained here. They have been for a while.”

 

Manon was gobsmacked he’d speak so plainly, but he respected people that pushed back and stood their ground. She checked in with Jake, who smirked and mouthed,  tell him I’ll do it,  she didn’t risk a nod as she replied to Chris.

 

“Is this why you want me to continue with the media aspect my father started?”

 

 

Christopher nodded. 

 

 

“Losing your father was a blow we hadn’t expected, then you left. It’s been… difficult, to say the least.” He sounded reluctant, and Manon saw that it cost him to admit that. 

 

 

“I see. I don’t really understand why I had such an effect. I’m only one woman.”

 

 

“Symbols have power, Agent Adair. The public no longer cares what we do because Magnus isn’t telling them to.”

 

 

Manon knew that all too well. Her father was beloved by those that followed him. True crime fans were no joke, and they’d practically worshipped him. Since he’d died, the online message boards had been quiet. She still checked them when she missed him. She had known, of course, that she’d eventually have to stop running and step up. She had wanted it up until the day he’d died. Then she didn’t care about anything. She just wanted to sink into the mire of her despair and never wake up. It had taken years of therapy and medication to get to where she was now. She still had her problems, though. She would never be fixed, it still haunted her and she lived in fear it would happen again, played her cards close to her bulletproof vest to ensure it wouldn’t. 

 

“So let me get this straight.” Manon clasped her hands together and drew herself to her full height.

 

“You not only want me to take over the cases still unsolved but also to deal with the public and media? While finishing the books my father left undone? Where will I find time to have that life I’m so desperately trying to win?” 

 

 

Christopher sighed. The mask slipped and exhaustion aged him even further.

 

 

“It sounds like a lot, Manon. I know that. But there is no time limit. The books can take as long as you wish. The media stuff won’t happen until you work your first case with us. It’s not as full on as it seems.”

 

Manon snorted derisively, and he held up a hand, impatience clear in his demeanor.

 

“I’m saying that for every case you solve for me, you can do four of your own or take a vacation. Whatever you wish. I have agreed to everything you’ve asked for, Manon. Can you agree to mine?”

 

Manon huffed out a breath and stared at the screen, his face blurred as she considered and finally nodded her consent and it felt  right . She had missed this part of herself. She missed the triumph of finally solving a case and seeing them all the way through. She didn’t need the money but the sum they’d offered her was more than generous and Jake’s was equally so. But most importantly, she’d feel like she was worth something, that she was making a difference and making her dad proud. She still remembered the huge smile on his face the day she finished her training and could assist him on equal footing. It had just taken a ragtag group of friends, and a wanted hacker to show her she hadn’t lost it, only misplaced it for a while.

 

“If you truly understand that I get the final say, I will have a life outside of the agency and media. Then yes. I agree. As does Jake.”

 

Her decision settled like a cloak around her shoulders, the weight of it light but noticeable. Jake’s smile when she looked over at him as a free man was so beautiful she could barely stand to look. Christopher smiled, true joy lighting up those storm cloud eyes, and she swore he seemed relieved. 

 

 

“Excellent. Welcome back, Special Agent Adair.”

 

“It’s Special Agent Corvin. I’d like to continue with my new name.”

 

He considered her before nodding. 

 

“Ah, that was your mother’s name, if I’m not mistaken? Ember Corvin.”

 

 

“Yes. Everyone knows who my father was, but I’d still like to stand on my own, even if it’s a small gesture.”

 

 

“I understand. Well, I’ll send the contracts to your lawyer. You’re still using Camille?”

 

Manon nodded, and he went on. 

 

 

“I’ll send her the contract for the hacker, Jacob Allwood as well.”

 

Manon rolled her eyes, nosy bastard of a man, but she grinned, and Chris laughed, giving her a look that said,  did you really expect me not to know?  She didn’t bother replying, and Christopher was too busy crowing his delight to want one. She waited until he looked back at her to speak.

 

 

“Is that everything, then? Are you sure you don’t want a kidney too? Maybe a lung?” She jested, itching to end the call.

 

 

Chris gave her a look and shook his head, “That’s all. I look forward to having you visit us.”

 

 

She didn’t bother telling him he’d be waiting a long time for that, she wanted to end the call now.

 

“I’ll let you get back to your solitaire game and await the contracts then. I’ll call you if I need anything.”

 

She moved to turn her screen off, but he spoke again, stopping her. 

 

 

“Remember, Manon, we’ll be there when you need us. Don’t hesitate to use the resources we have made available to you. I’ll check in with you soon. Good luck.”

 

 

Manon thanked him and closed the laptop lid once her screen returned to normal. She looked to Jake, who seemed far too casual about the whole thing, but she supposed he was free now, and that had to feel incredible after so long in chains.

 

 

“I quite enjoy watching talk down to men much bigger than you.” He murmured with a dark smile, making her stomach flare with familiar heat.

 

 

“Good, I enjoy doing it.” She winked and he laughed. Butterflies took flight in her stomach when he came to her and held out a hand, helping her stand.

 

 

“We’re really doing this, then?” He said, and she nodded.

 

 

“We are. How do you feel about it?”

 

 

“It hasn’t sunk in yet, but good, I think.” He smirked, and she stuck out her tongue, fed up with serious matters for the day and wanting to enjoy what was left of the weekend.

 

 

“Come on, let’s go find something to eat before the kids come home.” She joked, and he snorted fondly, allowing her to lead him out of the room.

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

 Hours had passed since that call, and she couldn’t find Jake. He’d disappeared when her friends returned, claiming he had to go outside to wait for a delivery. Jessy had monopolized her time to chat about the files she’d managed to bring from Rogers. She was still going through them but wanted to give Manon an update but had essentially found nothing yet and soon moved on to discussing Phil's visit the day before. Jessy was over the moon he'd absolved her of any fault in his arrest but she still felt guilty and Manon wanted to shake it out of her but chose to allow Phil the chance to mend his bridges with his sisters. She’d spent some time with Cleo and Lilly, too, both of them moaning about Dan’s constant whinging about how slow he was on their walk and it made Manon laugh to imagine it. She had run upstairs when she realized she hadn't seen Jake come back and soon discovered he wasn’t in their room. The bathroom was empty too. She tried to call him, but he didn’t answer, and she stuffed the phone in her pocket with a frustrated huff.

 

She hunted the room for a note or a clue to his whereabouts but found nothing. She was just starting to panic when Jessy called her name from the floor below. She took the stairs two at a time and found her waiting for her on the landing. Jessy handed her a folded piece of paper, a sly look in her hazel eyes and then walked away. Manon frowned at her retreating back for a long moment before opening the note. Her anxiety quickly turned into excited curiosity.

 

 

  Manon, go outside and look for something out of place. Love, Jake.  

 

 

She bolted down the rest of the stairs. She almost knocked Thomas down on her way to the door, muttering an apology before rushing outside. She lifted a hand to shield her eyes and looked for what Jake had meant. All she saw were trees, the gravel driveway, and a bouquet of pink peonies resting at the base of a tree. They definitely didn't belong there. She grinned and walked over to it, bending to snatch them up and breathe in their fragrant scent, slightly peppery to her nose. She spied the little notecard hidden amongst the blooms and gently took it, shifting the flowers to the crook of her arm to free her hands. The note was short again, but her heart kicked up as happiness flooded her veins.

 

 

  Meet me where our walls came down, and we fell too.

 

 

The flowers had been placed at the head of the trail to the bench they’d sat on what seemed like forever ago, and she had to force herself not to run, desperate to see what was waiting for her. She was breathing hard by the time she was climbing the last of the incline, barely remembering most of her walk through the forest, and she could now hear music playing softly. She didn’t know what to make of it. She crested the hill and stopped dead, breath catching in her throat as she surveyed the area. 

 

On the grassy space ahead of her was a large blanket, pillows from the house scattered over the top, and containers of what she could only assume were food rested in the middle. A basket she remembered seeing in one of the cupboards sat off to the side. There was even a bucket filled with ice and wine, candles waiting to be lit when it got dark and another blanket neatly folded for if they got cold. She was gaping, completely awestruck and a bit confused, not hearing Jake sneaking up behind her until he wrapped his arms around her. He whispered low, sounding so nervous and unsure she wanted to cry. It was the most beautiful, thoughtful thing anyone had ever done for her.

 

“Do you like it?”

 

 

Manon had to swallow a few times, emotion clogging her throat, her voice so delicate and full of joy.

 

“No… I love it. What made you do it?” She turned in his arms, his steady gaze never left her face, and she melted at the relief and love in his pretty eyes. He gave her that new smile of his, the one he only used when he was with her.

 

 

“We did everything backward, I wouldn’t change it, but if we’d had normal lives and met each other a normal way, I’d have taken you out. Shown you off and slowly learned everything about you. I wanted to give you some of that. Jessy helped. She was very invested.”

 

He sounded a little puzzled at the end of his heartfelt speech, but Manon knew Jessy was desperate to take her mind off of Richy, and helping Jake had done that. She loved him even more for that. Manon felt as if she were floating on air as he took her hand and gently tugged her over to the blanket, helping her sit before folding his long legs under him, and he blew out a nervous breath. She smiled reassuringly at him and let him woo her. She was transfixed as he opened the myriad of containers. The familiar sight and smell of Chinese food made her gasp in shock and giggle like a schoolgirl on her first real date. Jake caught her eye and smirked. She remembered that long-ago conversation she’d once thought couldn’t ever come to fruition. A feast of Chinese food was soon spread out before her.

 

“You’re not the only one with an elephant’s memory.” He joked, and she lowered her eyes. He must’ve ordered half the menu to ensure he got something she liked and somehow, that was the sweetest thing she’d ever experienced.

 

 

“How on earth did you pull all of this off?” She asked once she’d stopped swooning long enough to speak. 

 

 

“I had them meet me out of view of the house, had to give the guy a hefty tip but it was worth it in the end. That was the delivery I left to get.”

 

He was sneaky and she’d quite forgotten that, smiling as she shook her head and watched him, drinking him in. It felt like a dream, with the setting sun and the view of the forest all around them. It almost didn’t feel real. She busied herself making a plate, and Jake poured them glasses of wine once they’d both taken what they wanted, handing her a fork to eat with after she turned down the chopsticks. She had never managed to master them. She had her legs crossed, sitting as close as she could in front of him as they chatted inanely, flirting back and forth, taking turns feeding the other and it was the most mundane thing but felt like so much more to her.

 

By the time they were finished eating dinner, the sun had vanished behind the trees and she was leaning against his side, her head on his shoulder. She felt lazy, content, and slightly overheated as his fingers edged along the sensitive skin of her inner thigh. He told her in low tones how he’d planned everything. Reserving the necklace online and having Steve pick it up and have it engraved. Then the plans with Jessy to hide the flowers that arrived while she was visiting Phil and sort all of this out. Turned out her friends hadn’t just gone on a little nature walk that day. No, they’d brought everything except the food and wine, so Jake could put it all together once he got the rest. She was extremely pleased they’d helped and just a little annoyed that she hadn’t been paying enough attention to spot their plotting. Those whispered conversations Jake had had with Jessy finally made sense. He was very proud of himself, and she couldn’t blame him, utterly blown away he’d gone to such lengths.

 

They were flirting shamelessly when he revealed her favorite dessert, chocolate-covered strawberries. Taking turns feeding each other, getting closer with every taunting touch against her lips. She took great satisfaction in teasing him, sucking his thumb into her mouth when he wiped away an errant smudge of chocolate. Jake’s eyes went dark with another type of hunger, one she knew was insatiable because she felt it so keenly too. She didn’t want to wait any longer for it, raising a challenging brow that he happily accepted. 

 

Jake pulled her into his lap, she wrapped her legs around his waist and hands around his neck, and he kissed her soundly. Taking control of her mouth and tasting her, he growls when she scratches her nails against his scalp, tilting her head to get closer. There’s a frantic, wild edge to it, both of them grasping and grinding into each other before long and Manon only encouraged him. She wanted to wear bruises of his fingerprints on her skin and carry his scent. She wanted to feel him everywhere. His hands were caught up in her hair, and her lips felt bruised and swollen.

 

She was panting, sweat trickling between her breasts as Jake’s hands roamed her back and dug his fingers into her hips, grinding her against his erection. The slide of his tongue in her mouth drew a moan from her, and she forgot where they were, the setting sun tinting everything red behind her closed eyes. She could smell his skin’s clean, musky scent and the rich earthiness of the forest around them. It tickled her nose and made her smile against his mouth. The wine she’d drunk only heightened every touch of his hands and shift of his hips, heating her blood until it was molten and she couldn’t think past the heat building in her core. 

 

Jake was no better off. Soft groans and gentle scratches of his blunt nails dragged down her sides, her fingers tangled in the hair at his nape that was quickly turning damp as they gave themselves over to that incredible lust. It had never been a want when they got like this. It was a need. One that made her ache inside, a nagging emptiness that was impossible to ignore. She didn’t care that they were outside in the middle of a forest. She didn’t care that one of her friends could walk in on them or they could be found by something more sinister. No, she only wanted to feed the hunger until she couldn’t tell where she began and he ended. Giving herself away with a distressed whine, he soothed her with a sharp nip of his teeth at her lips and a whispered oath that he had her. He always had her.

 

He somehow eased her down on the blanket, a clatter of plates and cutlery shoved hastily to the side she didn’t bother opening her eyes for. The light pressure of his hand curling around her throat before squeezing to make her look at him sent embers sparking down her torso. His hand soon found its way under her dress to test how ready she was, a possessive growl when he discovered her bare and soaked. She smirked and sat up to undo his trousers, not wanting to waste time with the usual preliminaries. She’d found him similarly naked once she slid her hand inside. Lifting a bold brow and getting a rough chuckle in return as his fingers wound into her hair and tugged her head back. He mouthed at her neck, stinging bites that he soothed with a sweep of his tongue to make her forget what she was trying to do. She was going to combust, and he hadn’t touched her yet, liquid heat pooling so fast she was almost shocked. And that was when her fucking phone rang.

 

 

She groaned and muttered a few curses at the star-speckled sky as Jake pulled back, eyes on her flushed face.

 

 

“Ignore it. It can wait.” She breathed and tugged him back in, swallowing down any reply he might have made.

 

 

The phone went silent after a few more rings, but it wasn’t to be. Another call came straight away, and she was enough of a selfish bitch to deeply resent the interruption and wish a lifetime of pain on whoever it was. Jake laughed at the fury in her eyes as she glanced reluctantly at her phone and saw it was Jessy. Panic moved sluggishly through the haze in her mind and banked her arousal enough that she could accept that she had to be sensible for now. Jessy knew what was happening here, so it had to be important. She released a sigh and flopped onto her back, answering the phone in a flat tone to hide her irrational annoyance.

 

 

“Is everything okay? “

 

 

She could hear a clamor of voices in the background, Dan laughing and Cleo asking someone to find something. She couldn’t make it out over someone shouting.

 

 

“I’m really sorry, I didn’t want to call, but I had no choice. The powers went out, and we have no idea what to do or how to fix it.” Jessy’s voice dripped with genuine apology, and Manon released the frustration she felt, having wholly forgotten this might happen.

 

 

“It’s okay. There are candles in the kitchen cupboards. Light those and we’ll be back soon. It won’t take much to reset the fuse box.”

 

 

“Okay! Again, we’re sorry we ruined your date, but it’s dark, and... well, I’ll explain once you get here.”

 

 

Jessy hung up and Manon felt a tiny bit of dread settle in her stomach at her parting words. What the fuck had they been doing down there?

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

They made it home as quickly as they could, darkness cloaking them as they gathered everything and began the trek home. Even she was a little creeped out by how complete the blackness was as they walked the trail. The forest was eerily quiet and she had to strangle her fanciful imagination more than once on the way back. Seeing and hearing monsters that weren’t there, thanks to all the creepy stories she’d read as a teenager.

 

 

Jake was dumping everything in the kitchen as she walked into the living room. Around 20 candles had been placed around the room and she soon noticed why. In the middle of the coffee table lay the damn Ouija board she’d ordered for Jessy as a joke and the reason for Jessy's earlier panic became very clear. The woman had the grace to look sheepish as Dan chuckled silently. The others looked a bit annoyed but seemed happy enough but that probably had more to do with the fact they'd been taking shots and drinking their way through the liquor cabinet. She didn’t know whether to laugh or cry that this was why she’d had to come home.

 

 

“I’m guessing one of you thought it was a good idea to move the planchette to freak Jessy out. Then the power went out, and you all realized that was the worst thing to do while living in a literal cabin in the woods?” Manon teased and bit back her smile as Dan gave up trying to be quiet and belly laughed, slapping his hands on his knees as Jessy nodded seriously.

 

 

Thomas covered his mouth with a hand and avoided her eye, shoulders shaking with silent laughter, and Cleo looked thoroughly entertained by the whole show. Lilly was texting someone and looked up to reply.

 

 

“Got it in one. It was funny, though.”

 

 

Manon chuckled and sensed Jake walk up behind her, hand settling down low on her back.

 

 

“She’s usually the one scaring us with her ghost stories. It was only right we got her back.” Dan defended once he’d managed to calm down, and Manon rolled her eyes, smiling as she did.

 

Jessy looked embarrassed by the whole ordeal, and Manon decided to let it lie. No harm was done, and it was just a toy. She should have expected something like this, really. She quickly ran through her memory, remembering what the file had said to do to restore the power and went to find the fuse box. She opened the door and turned her phone flashlight on as she crouched in the small cupboard. It was a mess in there, wires so tangled she could barely make out where they went, and it would cost a fortune when she got it fixed. Her eyes skipped over it until she found the switch she was looking for and quickly flipped it to the on position. She heard a chorus of exultant shouts and a meek “thank the gods” from Jessy as everything came back on.

 

She climbed out of the cupboard and stumbled as she stood straight, rolling her eyes at Jake, who’d come with her rather than entertain everyone until she’d fixed it.

 

 

“You’ll finish what you started once I burn that damn board.” She muttered as she passed by him, delighting in his deep chuckle. He muttered something about her being bossy and tapped her ass as she walked ahead of him, sending a thrill through her.

 

Jessy’s eyes immediately went to Manon’s necklace and she smiled so brightly that Manon couldn’t hang onto her annoyance. Manon mouthed a quick thank you to her before grabbing the board and handing it to Jake, telling him to hide it until she felt like setting fires again. The mischievous sparkle in his eye made her grin.

 

He returned a few minutes later with bottles of beer for them both since the others were already half drunk. They sat together as everyone began to discuss whatever random shit they could think of. She was dying to get Jake into bed, but it felt wrong to leave them so soon, and was quickly drawn into their banter, firing retorts back at Dan when he teased Jessy for being so scared. No harm was done, though; honestly, she was a bit irked she hadn’t been the one to instigate the fake seance. Wishing she’d been there to see Jessy scream bloody murder when the house suddenly went dark. It was good, she thought, being with them and feeling like she was one of them. Jake looked more comfortable than he had and joined in on a few discussions with Cleo and Lilly. Watching the dynamic between secret brother and sister was interesting, walking a fine line between awkward and endearing.

 

She was soon loose-limbed and slightly buzzed, enveloped in Jake, sinking into their usual heated glances and secret touches when the others weren’t looking. Each stroke and kiss pressed into her temple keeping the heat simmering between her thighs, but not enough to drag her away yet. Jake seemed similarly reluctant to leave, and she let herself enjoy it, the peace and belonging. She wasn’t sure how much longer they’d be able to have it and hadn’t the heart to put an end to it. So she didn’t. She looked around at the faces of the people she’d come to care for and seared them into her mind, taking strength from their solid bonds and using it to bolster her own reserves. It wouldn’t be long before all they knew was fear and panic. They all deserved to have something to keep them warm at night once fear began its brutal reign.

 

Notes:

Again, thank you for reading and for any comments you might leave! I hope you enjoyed it and can forgive my tendency to be over the top! Next chapter the plot is back in action. I had to give them some normalcy and a chance for Jake to romance Manon, woo her, and have a Hallmark romance movie moment. I'm all about the cheese and fluff and warm fuzzies haha!

 

I’m very excited for the new week, mad to think that such little time has passed in this story actually lol but yeah, I have so much planned and can’t wait to get into it all!

Chapter 18: For years they've said that I was guilty as sin and sleep in a liars bed but the sleep comes fast and I'll meet no ghosts

Summary:

Monday. A new week dawns, it's all systems go as Jessy discovers something important. A trip to follow up on a lead and some other things that would spoil everything if I were to mention them!

It’s all plot for a change with a tiny bit of romance but it’s a blip.

Notes:

I am floating in a cloud of new Taylor Swift music bliss. This chapter was written to Vigilante Shit, Anti-Hero, Karma and Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Carolina stains on the dress she left

Indelible scars, pivotal marks

Blue as the life she fled

Carolina pines, won't you cover me?

Hide me like robes, down the back road

Muddy these webs we weave

 

And you didn't see me here

Oh, they never did see me here

And she's in my dreams

 

Into the mist, into the clouds

Don't leave

I make a fist, I make it count

And there are places I will never, ever go

And things that only Carolina will ever know

 

And you didn't see me here

They never did see me here

No, you didn't see me here

They never saw me”

 

Carolina – Taylor Swift

********

 

carolina

 

 

 

 

Manon

 

 

 

 

The day had started out normally enough. She'd slept until her alarm rudely interrupted the dream she'd been having, a pleasant one for a change. She had realized upon waking that no nightmares had plagued her since meeting Jake. Maybe tiring herself out every night with him had made her mind too exhausted to terrorize her. He'd still been asleep as she'd taken her shower and gotten ready, too lazy to bother drying her hair, so she'd braided it back in two Dutch braids and left it at that. Black jeans and a long-sleeved top finished her look, and she padded out of the bathroom to find Jake stretching. She took a moment to enjoy the view, the delicious play of muscle under the skin she knew felt like velvet beneath her fingertips. Every inch of him was beautiful, and she appreciated the show, smirking when he caught her.

 

"Don't look at me like that, or we'll never leave this room." He teased, and she smiled.

 

"That's my plan, Jake. You'd do well to follow it." She danced over to him as he pulled on a pair of jogging pants and kissed his cheek when he looked at her, an indulgent look in his eyes.

 

"Is that how this works?" He chuckled and pulled her against him. As always, the tension between them was so high it felt like static in the air, and she was surprised it didn't shock her. She was just about to act on it when a tentative knock on the bedroom door shattered the hold it had on them.

 

Jake swiftly pulled on a shirt and she called for whoever it was to enter, smiling at a frazzled looking Jessy. She looked exhausted, dark smudges decorated her under eyes and the telltale shine of too much caffeine loitered in their hazel depths. Her hair was piled atop her head in a floppy bun and it moved with her as she bounced on her heels.

 

"Everything okay?" Manon asked, suddenly nervous.

 

Jessy grinned, "Better than that! I found Michael Hanson."

 

Manon's breath caught, and she lifted a brow, "Really?"

 

"Mmhmm. I have his address. I already tried to call the number on his file, but it's out of service. I figured we could go knock on his door."

 

Manon was impressed by her initiative, but a slimy thing was making its way into her gut. It made her feel queasy and panicked at the thought of Jessy going anywhere near that man's house. She was aware Michael had vanished years ago, but anything could happen. She wasn't sure she could stand to risk any of her friends. Jessy crossed her arms as she observed Manon with a keen eye, seeing the reluctance and immediately going on the defense.

 

"I'm going. I can't fight, but I can run. He won't be there anyway, but maybe we could speak with a neighbor. You can't go alone, Manon. Pairs, remember?" She arched a haughty brow as she threw Manon's rule back at her and Manon could only sigh, shoulders slumping in defeat. She had found the information, it was only fair she came along, and she simply had to ensure she could protect her.

 

 

"Fine. But when I tell you to run. You fucking run. Understand?" 

 

 

Her voice was firm, and she forced her face into a mask of severity, waiting for Jessy's nod of agreement. She turned to Jake then. There was something akin to fear on his face and she didn't like it, she could see he was dying to tell her she couldn't go, but his eyes kept flicking to her necklace. She lifted a hand to it and gave him a questioning look when he met her eye. A guilty look fell over his features before he quickly wiped it away. 

 

 

"I can keep an eye on you from here and send Bloomgate your location." He said, ignoring her silent question and she frowned as he walked away to begin working, choosing to let it go for now and worry about it later. 

 

 

She turned to Jessy, who was smiling softly.

 

" Okay. Go get ready. Black clothes, and gloves if you have them. If not, I'll give you some."

 

" I don't have any, so…" Jessy grimaced and looked like she'd forgotten to do her homework.

 

"It's fine. We'll leave in an hour. Keep your hair tied back too." Manon breathed and followed her downstairs, Jessy splitting off to go to her room while Manon went to the kitchen.

 

She met Dan, who was in the midst of attempting to make coffee one-handed and open the milk at the same time. He'd balanced it on the edge of the counter and Manon only just managed to catch it before it clattered and spilled over the floor to as his elbow slipped off his other crutch.

 

" Jesus Christ Dan. Why didn't you ask someone to help?" She asked once she'd opened and handed him the milk.

 

Dan threw her a glare and huffed a petulant breath. 

 

 

"Because I'm sick of feeling like an invalid. Cleo tried. I told her to piss off." He grumbled, and Manon chuckled. Stupid man.

 

" Well, you'll only make yourself worse if you end up hurting yourself again. Go sit down, and I'll bring your damn coffee through." She put her hands on her hips when he tried to argue but gave in when she blocked his attempt at grabbing the plate.

 

" Fine! You women are bossy fuckers." He muttered and limped through to the living room.

 

She busied herself making her coffee and snarfed down a croissant before taking Dan's coffee to him. Cleo and Thomas were eating and chatting quietly as Dan tapped away at his phone, brows furrowed so tightly they almost sat at a 45-degree angle. She snorted when he swiped the cup from her and grunted a thank you, a tiny smile sent her way when she ruffled his messy hair. She left them to their morning and headed back upstairs, swigging coffee and trying not to spill it on herself. 

 

 

She entered the bedroom and closed the door, heading to the vault as the quiet clacking of Jake's typing matched her steps. He didn't turn, and his shoulders were tense; she wanted to sigh but held it in, knowing he would speak only once he'd filtered through the words enough to be able to give them a voice. Instead, she opened the vault, took out a gun and her favorite dagger, throwing her ballistic vest on for good measure before shutting the door and standing at her desk. 

 

 

She checked the gun over and made sure her badge was stashed in her jacket pocket before throwing it on too, she might need it to make the neighbors talk. She strapped the dagger to her left forearm and the gun to her hip. She went to the wardrobe and reached for the black hold-all stuffed on the top shelf and pulled it down, crouching on the floor to rifle through it for the leather gloves she knew were there. She tucked them into her waistband and stuffed a few pairs of latex gloves into her other jacket pocket for Jessy before shoving it back into the closet. She was reaching for her AirPods, planning to let Jake come with her in a way to ease his mind when he finally found his voice.

 

" I don't want you and Jessy to go to that house. I know you can handle yourself, Manon, but I don't like it. If that makes you angry, I don't care, I love you, and I don't want you to get hurt." He was pleading, and she leashed the instinct to lash out at the concern, reminding herself it came from a place of love and not him thinking she was in need of saving.

 

She turned to face him, his anguish was evident on his face and it almost made her stumble, and she knew it cost him to admit what he had, to not give into the urge to demand he went in her place instead.

 

" I know. You can come with us if it makes you feel better?" She offered but knew he wouldn't take it.

 

" No, you'll need to focus if anything happens, and I'll just distract you. Promise me something, though? Only fight if there's no other option. Just come home to me." 

 

 

He tried to smile, but it didn't stick, so she went to him, infusing as much confidence into her body as possible so he would see she was okay. His eyes went to her hip and then her arm, reassuring himself she was prepared. She reached for his hands and crouched until she was at eye level, keeping her expression open and imploring him to relax. She rubbed his hands between hers, soothing the tension out of them before clasping their hands together. She pulled him into her space so their foreheads touched.

 

"I'll be fine. You'll be laughing when we come back empty-handed. Now, tell me. What's the deal with the necklace? I know it's not just a necklace." She smirked when he winced, and his hands twitched as if to scratch at his neck, but she held them firmly, refusing to let him hide from her. He sighed, and the tension bled from him.

 

" It's not. It's… when you press it 3 times, it'll send a message to Alan Bloomgate and to me, Jessy and Steve too." 

 

 

She sighed through her nose and kissed her teeth.

 

" A tracking device? And Steve knew?" She asked, and Jake nodded, he looked resolute and ready to defend himself, but he didn't have to. She understood and was rather touched by it, even if it suddenly felt like a collar, but she shook it off.

 

" I see. Were you going to tell me before or after I accidentally set it off?" She allowed a smile to break free and watched as his eyes lit up with humor.

 

"Definitely after. I wanted to see if it worked." He teased, and she laughed.

 

" Hmmm, you are a menace, but I love you. You get away with it this time. You can make it up to me later, though." She smirked and kissed him, a chaste brush of lips before she stood from her crouch and let go of his hands. He still looked pained, but he didn't protest as she gathered her things and shoved them into her bag, strapping it across her body to hang at her free hip. She toed on her boots, lacing them quickly before squaring her shoulders and leaving the room, giving Jake one last smile before heading back downstairs.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"Thomas, I can't watch your back as well as Jessy's." Manon sighed, eyes darting between Jessy and Thomas.

 

 

Thomas had overheard Jessy telling Lilly where she was going and had demanded he come. Manon was failing to talk him out of it.

 

 

"I'll be fine. It'll be safer having me along anyway. 3 is better than two." He said, sounding wholly immovable and Manon felt backed into a corner. It was bad enough she was taking Jessy.

 

 

"And if something happens? What do you plan to do then?" She demanded, and Thomas shrugged.

 

 

"Whatever you tell me to."

 

 

She didn't entirely trust that he would, but she could see he wouldn't back down and just wanted to get it over with.

 

 

"Fine. Remember that. If anything happens, you run. Let's go."

 

 

On the drive there, they planned. If the place is empty, they'll speak with the neighbors and see if anyone had seen any sign of Hanson recently. They wouldn't stick around and tempt fate by hanging around. They only realized there would be no neighbors to talk to when they were winding through the trees following the GPS to the house. The houses were spaced too far apart and separated by great swaths of forest that kept them well hidden from prying eyes. It would be impossible for anyone to see or hear anything. The knowledge didn't ease her nerves, and she couldn't help but feel paranoid.

 

 

Rain lashed down, blurring her view and the rhythmic swiping of the windshield wipers struggling to keep it clear was the only sound in the car. Everyone seemed to be holding their breath. She slowed almost to a crawl as she found the overgrown turning that led to Hanson's house. They were silent as the house came into view. It looked... derelict and totally abandoned. A shiver ran down her spine at the sight of it. It was creepy, and she noted most of the windows were boarded up, but a few had been sealed more carefully. Those parts looked newer too. She stopped the car beside the barn and eyed it warily. She hadn't expected to see one here and wondered why he'd needed one. Jessy was in the passenger seat, looking a bit put out that her lead had brought them to a dead end. Thomas hadn't said anything, so she took out the gloves and handed them each a pair, pulling her own leather ones on. She put in an earbud and opened the app so Jake could listen and talk to her. There was a slight crackle as it connected and then his melodic voice asked if they had arrived.

 

 

"We're here. It looks deserted." She muttered, feeling a bit like she was talking to herself, but he heard her if his sigh of relief was anything to go by.

 

 

She put the phone in her pocket and turned to her friends.

 

 

"Okay, we'll have a look around, but we won't stay long. We stick together, okay?"

 

 

They both nodded and followed her as she got out of the car. Manon strode for the front door and checked the name on the broken doorbell. It was his house but the peeling paint and many cracks in the door told her nobody had lived here in a long time. She didn't bother knocking, the place felt empty somehow, so she led Jessy and Thomas around the side. Jessy was taking photos at Manon's behest. Around back, it was the same story, boarded up windows with two being more carefully sealed. The backdoor was locked and looked as if it hadn't been touched since Hanson left. Thomas spoke then.

 

 

"Is that a bunker?"

 

 

Manon turned and looked to where he was pointing and dark excitement ran through her at the sight of it.

 

 

"It is."

 

 

She headed straight for it, Jake was muttering for her to be careful, and she could hear him typing, he'd been keeping an eye on Richy's phone, but it hadn't been turned on since the day he'd been taken. The bunker was as run down as the rest of the place and the door had long since been destroyed. Shards of it lay scattered amongst the rest of the debris inside it. She took out her phone and turned on the flashlight as she ducked inside, eyeing the mess carefully and snapping some photos. It was empty and didn't look like anyone had recently been kept there. Rotting leaves and stones made up the majority of the floor, along with smashed glass, and she felt her hopes drain away. Naively she'd hoped they'd find something here.

 

 

She eased back outside and shook her head at her friends, Thomas looked close to devastated, and she knew he was hoping to rescue Hannah in some dramatic way today. The rain slid down her face as she aimed for the barn, the dilapidated structure sagged under its own weight, and the walls were so damaged they could see right through them to the inside. It was massive inside and completely empty. She was perplexed and couldn't understand why a bar owner needed a barn this size. When she voiced that to Jessy she agreed. Jessy was keeping the others updated in the group chat. Jake told her everyone had converged around him in their room to listen in to their connection. Jessy jumped, giving a sharp gasp that made Manon flinch and demand an explanation.

 

 

"Something just moved inside." She whispered and Manon's senses sharpened as she narrowed her eyes and stared through a gap in the wall to see what had frightened Jessy. She saw nothing but shadows.

 

 

"Are you sure it wasn't just a rat?" Manon said, sounding skeptical, and Jessy shook her head.

 

 

"No it was bigger than that."

 

 

Dan's voice came through her earbud then, "Might be a hobo. You probably disturbed his beauty sleep."

 

 

"Dan! That's offensive." Cleo sniped, and Manon heard the dull smack as Cleo hit Dan.

 

 

Manon smothered a laugh and turned to her friends.

 

 

"I think we better go. There's nothing here and I don't like how exposed we are."

 

 

It was true. There was a lot of open space surrounded by trees that would give someone watching a place to hide. Her hand itched toward her gun, and she chastised herself for letting paranoia get to her. Thomas looked fuming and she knew what he would say before the words came.

 

 

"No, it's too risky." She crossed her arms and planted her feet. Jessy looked between them, confused but soon caught on.

 

 

"The place is locked up, Thomas. We can't get in." She laid a hand on his arm, but he shook it off, and Manon frowned as he spoke.

 

 

"We can find a way in through the barn. The door is falling apart. It'll be easy." He insisted, and Manon sighed. She wanted to look inside too but not with them here. It was too risky.

 

 

"Manon, please. We can't just leave without checking. What if Hannah is in there and we could save her?" He begged, and she was torn, the investigator in her wanted to search the place from top to bottom, but the sentimental part of her wanted to keep her friends safe. One look at them both told her they'd fight her on this. Even Jessy seemed determined to get inside. Cleo tried to break the tension.

 

 

"What's one more break-in attempt?"

 

 

Manon snorted, "It won't be an attempt. Yours might always fail, but mine never do." She teased to try and keep the anxiety out of her voice. Cleo's amused chuckle soothed some of it away.

 

 

She looked at her friends and laid down the rules.

 

 

"Once we get inside, you two will stick together while I check the upstairs. You can cover the bottom floor. If you hear anyone but me, you run. If someone comes in, you run. Don't wait for me, and be quiet."

 

 

She ignored Jake's request that she didn't go anywhere alone and walked to the barn door. She chose the one on the side instead of the main one since it was closer. The door was held together by prayers and hopes, she thought. A few good shoves got it open, the rusted hinges gave way like paper tearing as she pushed through, and once her friends were inside, she slid the door back in place to try to hide the fact someone had been there. If Hanson did come here, she didn't want him to know they'd found him.

 

 

They crept through the barn in single file, Manon at the head and Jessy in the middle so Thomas could guard her back. The rain hit the corrugated roof and rumbled like thunder through the ample space, setting the scene terribly. She felt like she was in a horror movie and was the idiot that ran up the stairs instead of out the front door. She shook it off and checked over her shoulder to ensure her friends were sticking close. There was nothing to see inside and nowhere for anyone to hide either. It offered no clues as to what Hanson had used it for.

 

 

They made their way to the door she thought would take them into the house and reached for the handle, going still when it opened with no complaints. She held her breath and slid her eyes to her friends, who looked as apprehensive as she felt. The door didn't make a sound as she slowly pushed it open and that nagged at her, a memory she couldn't quite grab hold of now, so she filed it away for inspection later and led the way inside.

 

 

The house was in no better condition inside, and she thought Dan might be right. It was the perfect place for someone to use as a shelter if they had nowhere else to go. Sticky spider webs dangled from the ceiling, and Manon gave them a wide berth while keeping an eye out for their many-legged weavers. Graffiti had been sprayed on the walls, childish words and images splattered over the filthy walls. Broken bottles were everywhere, some remained whole, but most had been shattered against the walls at some point. The scent of old alcohol, rotten wood, and mildew permeated the air. The draught coming through the cracks in the walls didn't ease its rank perfume any, and she wrinkled her nose. The place had definitely been used as a party spot, given the number of alcohol containers lying around. She assumed the town's teenagers would sneak here to get drunk but it must've stopped a while ago. Everything looked old now.

 

 

She carefully picked her way through the mess, glass crunching under her boots and realized it would be impossible to keep their steps quiet. The skittering of tiny claws on the floorboards had them all searching for the source. Jessy grabbed Manon's hand when a mouse streaked away from them and escaped through a hole in the wall. The house had long since learned to sing with the wind and the rhythm of the rain accompanied the whistling draught like a marching drumbeat. There was nothing silent about it in spite of it being devoid of anyone but them. It was eerie, and she had to beat back thoughts of ghosts and other horrors. She slipped her phone out of her pocket and opened the camera, deciding to film as they made their way through the hallway. They stopped, and she spoke under her breath, but both heard.

 

 

"Okay, you take this floor, and I'll head upstairs. If you need me, text me."

 

 

She waited for their agreement and nodded once they did, watching as they walked away to look into the first room. She looked toward the front door and saw the stairs but noticed a door under them. She headed over to it and opened it. Inky black darkness greeted her, and a gust of cold, stale air rushed toward her. She loosed a breath and turned the flash on her phone, finding a set of stairs that would take her to the basement. She could hear her friends and Jake discussing what they were seeing and chuckled slightly at knowing Jake had gotten into her phone so they could watch what she was doing. Overprotective fool.

 

 

She slowly descended the stairs, every step echoed too loudly in the tightly enclosed space. She kept her hand on her gun and ensured she could swiftly slide it out if someone was waiting for her out of reach of her phones light. She reached the bottom and shivered, it was freezing, and many different smells immediately assaulted her. The air tasted musky on her tongue, and she quickly shut her mouth as the worst of it hit her. The ammonia-rich scent of urine and a chemical she couldn't name clung to the air, she fought the urge to hold her breath. Her heart was racing as she edged further into the room, the scent of human waste grew stronger the closer she got to the middle of it, and her mind was working overtime as it filled in the blanks.

 

 

"Someone was kept here." She breathed, almost silently, but Jake heard.

 

 

"Get out of there. Now." He growled, and even her friends were quiet in the background as she snarled back.

 

 

"No. This is my job, Jake."

 

 

She ignored his pleas to leave, no one was here now and she got the feeling they'd left in a rush. She was proven right when her phone torch illuminated a discomfiting sight. Loops of rope had been tossed haphazardly on the ground, and sheets of cardboard had been spread over the floor. Filthy blankets lay in heaps, and there were dozens of empty food cans and water bottles surrounding the edges of the cardboard. The source of the awful stench stood against the wall. Rage lit her up inside at the sight of the metal bucket and the indignity of it all pissed her off. The floor around it was stained, and she couldn't help but picture someone trying to find the bucket in the dark while weak and tied up. She shut off the video and quickly took photos of everything, taking a couple of the water bottles and putting them in a sandwich bag she'd brought with her before shoving them in her purse.

 

 

There were two blankets, four frayed strands of rope, and enough empty food cans to indicate that Richy had been brought here too. Why had they moved? The fact he'd just left all this laying around suggested he wanted her to find it or had to move them in a hurry. She ground her teeth and decided to check the upstairs now. Her skin was crawling at the knowledge Hannah had been kept here.

 

She saw Jessy and Thomas cross the hall into one of the many rooms as she reached the entrance again and let herself feel some relief that they were okay. She closed the door behind her and breathed in the cleaner air, grateful she was away from Hannah and Richy's prison, taking the stairs two at a time to check upstairs. The warped floorboards creaked and bent under her weight as she explored. It didn't take long to see that there was nothing to be found. She took photos anyway, but there wasn't anything that stood out. The rooms were in varying states of disrepair, and looked like someone had destroyed them in a fit of blind rage. Broken pieces of furniture decorated the space and all the windows were boarded up. She gave it one last look before deciding to head back down and bit back a startled squeal when the silence was abruptly shattered. 

 

"Manon!" Thomas bellowed. The noise rattled through the house, making her cringe and curse his name. 

 

"You have to see this!" He yelled again. 

 

Manon wanted to thump him but shot down the stairs to find them instead and resolved to strangle him later. She walked into the room, the dank space was illuminated by candles burning on every surface. Thomas and Jessy stood still as death before the back wall. She noticed that this rooms windows were the ones that had been sealed better than the others and soon realized why. Manon saw it as if in a dream and heard Jake's panicked voice begging her to explain, but she couldn't. She didn't have the words to describe the insanity around her and was utterly speechless.

 

The walls were covered entirely in the work of a madman. She saw photos of them all - except her and Jake, she was grateful for that, but a bone-deep dread was settling in her and weighing her down, keeping her rooted to the spot. Thomas held up a sheet of paper and her breath caught. Her name had been typed in bold letters alongside a photo of a raven. It sent a chill crawling down her spine. Red string connected all the images and scrawled notes, and a drawing of a raven made of code caught her eye, it reminded her of the Matrix. She took a photo of it to show Jake. Hanson had meticulously researched every one of them.

 

Guilty, Guilty, Guilty. Had been scrawled in harsh black strokes all over the place. REVENGE, painted on a board hanging above it all and raven feathers had been flung on every surface. Bits and pieces jumped out at her, things and places she recognized from around town. The quiet in the room felt almost reverent as the three of them stared at the walls, none wanting to voice what they all knew. They were meant to find this and he wanted them to know he was watching, he had been for years, and none of them had noticed. Only Hannah had, and no one had believed her.

 

"Manon, say something so I know you're okay," Jake whispered in her ear and she managed to reassure him despite the fear trying to invade her mind. 

 

"I'm fine." 

 

Dimly she was aware of it looking similar to the murder wall she'd put together at home. An oily feeling sat heavy in her stomach as she trailed gloved fingers over everything. Gods, this was insane. She'd stepped into this town thinking it was a small-time crime and instead found something much bigger than herself. She wasn't entirely sure she was up to the task of saving everyone anymore. This wasn't just some quick, burn-out murder spree, it was a slow-burning revenge fantasy, and he was so close to his goal. The only reason he hadn't reached it was because of her. He'd added her to his plans and it had stayed his hand. The thought calmed her enough to start seeing it through an emotionless lens and cataloging it all in her mind.

 

Shaking free of her morbid thoughts, she focused on the practical, tuning emotion and Jake out completely to document it all. Jessy followed suit and snapped photos too, in case Manon missed anything. She got to the spot where the candles were thickest, and her heart stopped dead in her chest, her breath cutting off as though choked by an invisible hand, and her hands started shaking. Adrenaline raced through her veins like lightning as she turned to her friends.

 

"Guys?"

 

Her voice was more a croak than anything, both turned to her in concern and she swallowed dryly, her throat sticking as she fought for control.

 

"What is it? You're freaking me out, Manon." Jessy whispered shakily, Thomas nodding his agreement.

 

"Manon, what the fuck is going on over there?"

 

She jumped when Jake spoke too loudly in her ear, her silence and panicked breaths alerting him to her distress.

 

"Were the candles lit when you came in here?"

 

Her voice didn't waver, but inside she was struggling to hold back the panic that would steal the air from her lungs and make her feel helpless. Jake cursed, vile and shocking, and Jessy gasped, Thomas the last to catch on.

 

"Y-yes." Jessys eyes glinted in the candlelight as they bounced around the room. 

 

That stuttered word shouldn't have held the power it did. All at once, they exploded into movement. Manon hissed orders at them.

 

"Get out of here, don't fucking touch anything and don't take anything. He could be back at any time. You two go to the car, and I'll follow in a minute." They looked reluctant, so she gave her best drill sergeant stare and growled at them both, shoving the car keys into Jessy’s trembling hands. 

 

"Don't play the fucking hero. I need to check this. Get out now and I'll be right there."

 

Jake was demanding she bolt too, begging her to go, but she ignored him. She had one area left to check and document then she'd go. She went over to the corner she hadn't studied. It was an old writing desk covered in news clippings and more feathers. She swiped through it after taking more photos, trying not to disturb it too much when she knocked something off the desk. It made a solid thump when it hit the ground, and she cringed, muttering under her breath as she bent to retrieve it. Her overworked heart jumped when she realized it was a cell phone. It could be Hansons. It could be the thing they needed to trap the bastard, and she couldn't bring herself to put it back. So she broke her rule, pocketed the phone, and then crept out of the room.

 

She made it halfway down the hallway before she heard the scrape of a key in a door and had to dive into a doorway. There was no time to do anything else. She took tiny breaths to stay quiet, and even Jake had gone silent as if afraid he’d give her away. The front door closed with a soft clunk. He'd oiled the hinges there too and the knowledge triggered that memory again, it was clearer now, but she had to push it aside and hope she made it out to think on it later. Manon peeked out the doorway and flung herself back. He was there, on the stairs and had that damn mask on. He'd been halfway up the stairs, each of his footsteps echoing like gunshots when she spotted a glass bottle on the floor behind her. She quickly weighed her options and knew Jessy and Thomas were safe so long as he was in here with her so she picked the bottle up and threw it against the back wall.

 

The impact of the shattering glass sounded like a bomb going off as it echoed through the house. She didn't wait around to see the damage. She sprinted out of the room before the last shards had hit the floor and ran through the corridor until she reached the entrance to the barn. Hanson's thundering steps haunted her as she made it and flung it open. An enraged roar came from behind, and she flew through the barn. Every breath felt like fire in her throat as adrenaline warred with fear. Her hand automatically went to her forearm to unsheathe the dagger. She palmed it as she threw open the barn doors and halted, not going outside. Jessy and Thomas must've gone out the side entrance, but she'd chosen the main one in desperate hope of giving them time to lock themselves in the car. She turned to face the monster chasing her and swallowed down all of her fear, forcing her body to go loose and allowing him to get a good look at her.

 

She saw no weapon on him, which struck her as odd, but he was bigger. He appeared well-built under the dark clothes and moved faster than she'd have thought at his age. She had skill and steel on her side, though, and had to trust it would work. This was her only chance because he'd surely hole away somewhere she'd never get to him after this. Jake guessed what she planned, and his anguished voice ripped her heart from her chest. She tore the earbud out and dropped it to the ground.

 

Hanson had stopped a few feet from her, head inclined as he studied her, and she smiled wickedly at him as she relaxed her stance. Standing straight with her weight on her right foot, she held the blade with the handle pointing to the sky and cocked her arm, letting it fly end over end just as he turned and ran. Her aim was off now he'd moved, but she watched as the wickedly sharp knife sank into his calf. He shouted out in pain before crumpling to the ground, and his knees took the brunt of his fall, she cringed at how hard he’d hit the stone floor. She moved forward to contain or finish him. She hadn't yet decided, but Jessy screamed.

 

Manon was caught between helping her friend and finally stopping this asshole, the two halves of her warring, and she almost gave into the dark side. She wanted to break him for the way he'd hurt her friends. Hanson was scrambling back on his feet and fury rode her hard as he slowly began to limp away, a bloodied hand reached for the dagger but he didn’t pull it out. She lurched forward to stop him and wanted to cry as Jessy screamed her name again, the ragged sound breaking her out of her thoughts of vengeance. Her better self won out, and she let him go. That was her favorite knife too.

 

She ran outside and rounded the building; what she saw made her blood still in her veins. Thomas had been fighting and she watched as he was pushed to the ground, Jessy yelled her relief when she spotted Manon. Another masked person turned and ran the second he saw her reach for her gun. A man by his size and how easily he managed to knock Thomas down. She'd known there had to be two of them all along but hadn't expected to face both of them today. She wanted to give chase but 2 against 1 didn’t seem like a clever idea and she couldn’t risk Jessy or Thomas getting involved. It killed her to let them go and she wished she’d come alone. A sense of failure was dragging her down and threatened to drag her back to the past, she shoved it back as best she could but knew it would come back. Jessy was tugging on Thomas's jacket and trying to pull him up. Manon went to them and helped him stand.

 

 

"What the hell happened?" She asked once they'd all gotten into the car and locked the doors.

 

 

"We ran to the car like you said, but he was already there. Thomas fought him, and I tried to help, but he kicked me, and I fell. He got Thomas in a headlock and was choking him so I screamed for you. That seemed to shock him enough for Thomas to get free." Jessy said in a breathless rush.

 

 

"Did he say anything?" Manon asked, and they both shook their heads. She realized that he hadn't expected her to survive her encounter with his partner.

 

Thomas was panting and shaking in the back seat. Jessy was beside him and looked like she'd fought in a war. Jessy handed her the keys, and she quickly started the car and tore away from the house. Gravel and dirt sprayed behind them as she drove away. Her heart pounded so hard she feared it might leap from her chest and splatter across the car windshield. She tore her gloves off, her palms were sweaty, and slid over the steering wheel. She had to focus very hard to control the tremor that tried to rattle through her fingers. Jessy and Thomas' heavy breathing behind her only reminded her she had to stay calm. They needed her to keep her head and get them home. She reached for her phone and clicked on Alan's number, hitting the loudspeaker icon before letting the phone lie in her lap. He picked up within two rings.

 

"To what do I owe the pleasure, Miss Corvin?" He drawled, and she managed a smirk.

 

"A tip. Get yourself and your team to the old Hanson house. We were just chased from there by the kidnapper." She did not mention the second attacker or the fact she'd stabbed one of them.

 

"Why were you there?" He sighed, sounding utterly exhausted and annoyed.

 

"Following a lead. Get up there and make sure forensics do their damn job. I'll meet with you to discuss it in a couple of days."

 

She hung up and ignored the sudden tension in the car. Jessy was quick to find the words, though.

 

"Do you think they'll catch him?"

 

Manon couldn't meet her eye as she shook her head.

 

"No. He's smarter than that, and he has help. They'll be too late, but I need them to see what we did."

 

She didn't add that if Hanson was smart, he'd get rid of it all before they arrived. She didn't want to take more hope away. Thomas was quiet in the back. When she met his eye in the rearview mirror, he looked shell-shocked, and she knew the shadows in his eyes would linger for hours. A dark bruise was forming on his jaw and was already swelling, she felt awful. She shouldn't have let them come. She could've lost them today. She mentally went through her dad's barked commands whenever they found themselves in a tough spot to push back her self-loathing thoughts. Get home safe. Lock the doors. Don't let anyone but me in and keep your gun in your damn hand. She could protect them if the worst came to worst, but she didn't think it would. So far they'd evaded being found in the cabin and she prayed their luck would hold.

 

 

The drive back felt endless, and none of them spoke. What could be said when they knew their friends had been kept in such conditions? She dreaded telling Jake and Lilly everything, she knew the knowledge would weigh heavy in their minds, and she didn't have the ability to lessen the load. One thing was for sure, their peace was long gone, and the war had begun. The next battle might not end so well for them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A tortured soul…

 

 

Paper curled and turned black. Smoke, acrid and thick, clogged their lungs and choked the air, the grey sky invaded by ribbons of black. They had laid the trail room by room, fractured rainbows caught in the light as gasoline poured on the floor and splattered over the results of years of clandestine investigation. The scent was cloying and sharp and left their mouths dry. Gloved hands fumbled with heavy canisters when one ran out and they continued laying their trail of destruction. It pissed his partner off to destroy all those years of work, the low mutters of the white-haired girl's name, and his deathly quiet promise of retribution. He didn't want to be around when his "partner" finally got his revenge and he hoped that girl got away before it was too late.

 

 He was slow-moving thanks to her knife. Pain radiated up his leg in shocking waves that left him sweating. He’d hastily patched himself up, the dagger he had hidden in his pocket so his master couldn't have it and cut him loose. He should hate her for the injury, but he only felt pity, worried for her chances, and doubted that he'd ever get out of this alive. He was a loose end, and his master did not allow those. He knew he wasn't equal to this man. He had no choice but to do as he said. He could feel the rage rolling off him because he'd let her get away, he'd been told to kill her, but when faced with her, he couldn't.

 

It seemed like an age had passed before he'd been ushered outside, the last of the gasoline pooling on the front doorstep. He watched as the other man took out a lighter, the scratched silver glinting dully under the rain heavy sky before he ignited it. The tiny flame would ignite an inferno. He couldn't see his face but knew he was smiling. Beating that girl was his newest obsession in a long line of them and he could almost sense the sick pleasure it gave the man to imagine all the ways he could take her apart. He watched in slow motion as the tiny flame tumbled to the ground and landed in that shimmering pool. The resulting whooshing sound and the wash of heat he felt even under his mask as it caught and spread quicker than he could keep track made them bolt to the trees across the clearing.

 

By the time they were hidden amongst the foliage, it was out of control. Water dripped down onto his masked face as they disturbed the branches, and the earthy smell of the forest finally banished the taint of gasoline. The house had gone up like kindling. A dull roaring reached their ears as the fire snaked from room to room and consumed all in its path. It was beautiful in a terrifying way, hypnotic in how it was perpetually in motion. He couldn't look away as it cleansed all their wrongdoings. It licked up the sides of the house before long as great gusts of smoke were released from the collapsing roof like lungs expelling air. The fire destroyed all traces of them and eliminated any consequences they might've faced. He wished he felt relieved by that, but he only felt sick. He warily eyed the other man who stood frozen and still, never glancing away from his monstrous masterpiece.

 

The house burned, and his hopes along with it. The end was near and he would not survive it. He could only pray that he remained living long enough to exact his plan. His master would see him coming, desperation rarely made for well-kept secrets, but he had to try. It wasn't just him trapped in the spider's web anymore. It was never meant to go this far and he knew he wouldn't be able to live with himself if he didn't at least try. Sirens cut through the air, muffled under his mask and he looked away from the blaze as his master turned his back on the scene and waded deeper into the forest. He followed, as he always did, and knew the walk back would be exhausting, silent, and nerve-wracking, but he'd do it.

 

Not for him. For his family. For justice and truth. Somehow he'd find a way to help that girl, and he hoped she'd end this before anyone else had to die. He didn't care about his own life. He'd made peace with death long ago and welcomed the bliss of not knowing what was happening in this cursed town. He hadn't slept in weeks, months. Death's dark embrace and eternal rest called to him and lured him in, he found it hard to resist after enduring this nightmare in his waking hours. He would stop trying soon and he would do whatever vile thing he needed to take Michael Hanson down with him.

Notes:

Holy fucking shit balls! I have been waiting and waiting for this chapter. The part in Hanson's house was written last year lol so pleased it’s finally here.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it! If you feel like commenting something encouraging, I’ll love you forever! It might even hurry me along 😉

Updates will slow down on this now because I have a lot to do for my Game of Thrones fic and want to get some chapters out for that! I want to at least get that to 10 chapters before coming back here, that would be three chapters to get there. I am not abandoning this, I have it mapped out and am looking forward to finishing it! I just don't want to lose momentum on my other fic.

Chapter 19: You’re not safe here anymore, this is the sound of war

Summary:

The aftermath of Hanson's house and then Tuesday! It’s a short chapter to bridge the gap between the next ones. Those will be plot heavy with smut in some because it didn’t fit here again much to my dismay! There are a few cute moments between Manon and Jake that were fun to write.

I also had some artwork done for this fic, a book cover for Wattpad since my old one was shit lol I love it, and I'm so pleased with how the artist captured Manon. I have posted it instead of my usual collage! That's another reason this took so long. I had to wait for it to be done to update! It’s by Crown.Cupcake on instagram and Reddit and every other social media lol

Notes:

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding while I worked on my other fic! I’m so pleased I finally got one of my main plot things done there so I can focus on this again.

It’s been over a month since the last chapter! Here is a quick recap;

Manon, Jessy, and Thomas went to Michael Hanson's house, and they found the stuff of nightmares there. As they were getting ready to leave, the kidnapper returned to his nest, and they ran. Manon manages to draw him to her and injures him, but Jessy screams for help. Manon rushes to her and discovers a second attacker beating up Thomas. Then they left, and Manon told Alan Bloomgate to get to the house. Then we had a little pov from one of the attackers, and they’ve burnt the house down!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Just when you think you're saved

Just when you've locked your door

It comes like a lightning flash

And the sky is torn

 

At your back like a loaded gun 

But the fight has just begun

Steady now 

Breathe, breathe

 

Just when you think there's a settled score

The battle has been reborn 

Comes swift like an avalanche

Come to steal what you just got back  

 

Like a loaded gun

And the night has just begun 

Steady now, breathe breathe  

 

You can't run

You can't hide

Hold your breath

Close your eyes 

Turn your ear to the sky

You're not safe here anymore

This is the sound of war"

 

The Sound of War - Tommee Profitt feat. Fleurie

***********

 

 

 

 

cover

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jake

 

 

 

"Manon, get the fuck out of there!"

 

He could hear her taking a series of deep breaths, a rustling sound, a loud bang! The earbud hit the floor, and he clutched at his hair as someone ran and then a cry of pain, definitely not Manon, the voice was too deep, but his heart nearly stopped in his chest when he heard Jessy scream. He knew it was fruitless and stupid, and he had an audience, but still, he begged.

 

"Run, please just run. Get out of there!"

 

He felt a hand settle on his shoulder and squeeze, and a quick glance found Lilly looking heartbroken but resigned. They'd all heard and seen what Manon had found in the basement. He felt heavy and slow. Guilt, rancid and thick, trickled down his throat to settle low in his stomach. He wanted to vomit, scream or hit something. He'd forgotten somehow, his sister had been kidnapped, and here he was playing house and falling in love. He was treating this like a fucking vacation, and all the while, his sister had been kept tied up and terrified. And even while finding that out, Hannah hadn't been his primary concern. It had been Manon. He couldn't lose her, and it sickened him how easy it had been to pick her when the time came to run.

 

The others remained deadly silent. No one dared to breathe too loudly as they waited and waited and waited. The earbud had cut out once Manon had been far enough away to lose connection. She was safe. She was safe. She had to be safe. But Hannah wasn't. Neither was Richy though he had no horses in that race, he didn't entirely trust the man, but he didn't deserve to be kidnapped.

 

He stared at the screens before him and had no idea what to say or how to comfort these people he'd not long met. Manon, for all her awkwardness while she was doing it, she always knew what to say and how to make someone feel better. But he was adrift in his own misery and had nothing but curses in his head. In the end, it was Dan who broke the tense silence, sounding completely dejected and unlike himself.

 

"I kinda forgot how serious all this was. It's - we - I don't know. I never thought something like this would happen to someone I know."

 

Jake didn't turn but heard someone clap him on the shoulder, Lilly still had her hand on his, but he didn't know how to reciprocate that comfort.

 

"I know. Out here, it's like it's all a game sometimes. I can't believe he kept her there." Cleo breathed, voice cracking and strangling at the end.

 

"How did he know to move her?" Dan asked.

 

Lilly sighed, "He must've known someone would figure it out and go looking. The question is, where is she - they now?"

 

That was the million-dollar question. Nobody had an answer, just more questions.

 

"Do you think he's keeping them together?" Cleo ventured.

 

"There were enough scraps of rope and stuff in the basement to show that he had kept them together. We can assume he still is in the new place." Jake muttered when everyone stayed quiet.

 

"Jesus. How are we ever going to find them?" Lilly said, and he could hear how close she was to giving up. This felt too big for them now.

 

"We'll find them. Then we'll kill him." Dan swore, and everyone turned to stare at him.

 

"What? He thinks he's some sort of vigilante, but a murder and two kidnappings don't make justice. Prison would be too good for the bastard." Dan said with absolutely no remorse.

 

Jake silently agreed and checked his phone, desperately hoping Manon had texted or called, but she hadn't. He had to get out. Out of this room. Out of this house. The walls were closing in, and the air seemed to be sucked out. He could hardly stand to think, never mind talk. He abruptly stood, shoving away from his desk and ignoring the concerned looks he was getting, storming out of the room and out of the house.

 

He paced down the driveway, hands fisting and unfisting at his sides as he went over all he wanted to say to Manon when she arrived home. First, he'd tell her he loved her. Next, he'd tell her how stupid it was to face the attacker. Then he'd tell her he loved her again and make sure she knew he was going next time. He couldn't take this again. He felt trapped and useless, only able to shout and plead with her from miles away. He couldn't handle it. It would drive him mad.

 

By the time Manon raced up the gravel drive, he was all in a lather. His feet moved without his input, and she'd barely stopped the car as he was pulling open her door. she fumbled with the seatbelt and let him tug her out, wrapping her up in his arms as he breathed in her spicy scent. She immediately melted into him, hands clutching at his shirt and a deep sigh that told him she was furious but tired of being a step behind this prick. Jessy and Thomas gave him a small smile and headed inside. Neither looked too put out that he hadn't even asked if they were okay.

 

He tightened his hold and whispered in her ear.

 

"If you ever scare me like that again, I'll tell Dan where you hide the cinnamon rolls."

 

She chuckled weakly, shaking her head.

 

"I'm sorry. I never thought…" she trailed off and snuggled closer to get out of the rain.

 

He was reluctant to let her go, but they couldn't stand out here all night. He pulled back and searched her face for any injuries. She was her usual self, beautiful with an edge to it, but her vivid eyes were dull, the light sucked out for now. He didn't like it.

 

"I'm fine. Just fed up with always playing catch up. Are you okay? It couldn't have been easy seeing how she'd been treated." She examined his face and didn't let him hide. He knew he looked weary too.

 

"I'm better now. At least we know she's still alive. He wouldn't move her if he planned to kill her quickly." He said.

 

She nodded, "I agree. Let's get inside before we have to swim there." She tried for levity, but it didn't land. He was too grateful she was okay to let it.

 

He led her inside and heard everyone in the kitchen. He glanced back and raised a brow.

 

"I should talk to them before I head up. You can go if you want, though." She said, and he could see she wanted him to stay but wouldn't force him if he felt uncomfortable.

 

"No, I'll stay." He murmured and kissed her, a quick, tender thing just to reassure himself she was okay and his.

 

She smiled softly and headed into the kitchen, taking his hand to lead him in. They were all gathered around the island. Everyone had something alcoholic to drink and when Manon walked in, Jessy handed her a bottle of beer. Lilly gave him a smile and a glass of bourbon, telling him she'd seen him drinking it and thought he'd prefer something strong. He wished he could be affectionate or show how much he cared about her, their secret relation was beginning to chafe at him. He wondered if it wouldn't be better to just tell them all. It would stop Dan from looking at him whenever they questioned why they'd all been dragged into this.

 

"Okay, I don't really want to give you a play-by-play. You saw and heard most of it, so ask, and I'll answer." Manon said after chugging half her bottle of beer, plopping down in his lap after he'd nabbed a stool to sit on. Her gun dug into his hip, but he liked having her close too much to mention it.

 

"What happened when Jessy screamed? After you took the earbud out." Cleo asked.

 

"A second attacker had come to hurt them while I was busy with the other," Manon replied, and they all exploded.

 

"What!" Cleo shouted.

 

"Second attacker?" Lilly asked.

 

"Fucking hell. Is it buy one, get one free for homicidal maniacs or something?" Dan demanded.

 

"There were no fucking hints at a second attacker," Jessy added, and everyone but Manon agreed. He was the only one who noticed.

 

"I had thought about there being another. The logistics of it all, the planning, it's too cleanly done for one person. Someone has to be with Hannah and Richy most of the time, and the other has to terrorize us." Manon explained.

 

"We're all fucked." Dan deadpanned, and Manon snorted, taking a deep pull of her beer before setting it down on the counter and picking at the label.

 

" Maybe, but probably not. If there are two, that means there is a way to cause friction between them. The one I hurt was very reluctant to come at me. He ran. I think we have some room to play there." Manon said.

 

"How can we do that if we have no idea who it is?" Jessy asked, and Jake understood what Manon was getting at and didn't think twice about replying.

 

" Manon injured him. He might go to a hospital or a doctor. We'll find him that way."

 

Manon gave him a wide grin and added to his comment.

 

" I stabbed him in the leg but I doubt he'd go to the hospital, but we should keep our eyes on it just in case." 

 

The conversation devolved into plans for the future and talks about when the evidence could be looked over. Jake watched without saying much. Manon only spoke when spoken to and felt her sagging against him as the adrenaline left her weak and tired. He rubbed his hand down her back and silently let her know he saw her and understood. He sipped at his own drink, enjoying how it warmed as it went down his throat. Some of the tension burned away with it. He'd hardly eaten anything that day, too anxious about Manon's field trip to even think about it. Still, Cleo heard his stomach rumble and immediately announced she was making dinner. He smiled at her. She'd warmed up to him more now. He settled in for the long haul and let the conversation wash over him, cleansing away the horror and sorrow of the day.

 

It wasn't until after they'd all crashed in the living room, a random show playing on the Tv for background noise, that Manon dropped a bomb on them.

 

"I found something just before we had to run." She said casually and reached into her pocket, an awkward thing to do considering she'd sprawled across him. They all watched in stunned silence as she pulled out a battered-looking phone and held it up to the group.

 

"I couldn't leave it. It could be Hanson's," She explained, and Jake felt a new ray of hope as he eyed the phone in her hand.

 

"It's not. It's Hannahs." Thomas said in a dull tone and looked to be holding himself back from snatching it from Manon.

 

It was as if a jolt of electricity went through them all at his words, and they all moved to get a closer look. He watched Manon try to turn it on, but it was dead and possibly broken, going by the crack running down the back.

 

"Are you sure?" Manon asked Thomas, who nodded, eyes never leaving the phone.

 

"I'm sure. I recognize the crack on it."

 

Manon looked at Jake, and he could see the excitement come back in her green eyes.

 

"We don't have to hack her shit anymore." She chuckled, and Jake smiled, shaking his head fondly.

 

"We might have to. If she has a password, we'll have no choice." He said, and she rolled her eyes playfully, smirking a bit as she turned back to the group.

 

"Do any of you happen to know her code?" 

 

Everyone shook their heads and told her no. Lilly said she might be able to guess it but wasn't certain.

 

"Well, we can figure that out later." Manon brushed it off and tucked the phone back in her pocket. Jake noticed Thomas watching until the phone disappeared.

 

"I can't believe you found that. I don't remember seeing it in there." Jessy said.

 

"It was buried under stacks of news reports. I only noticed because I knocked it off the desk."

 

"Thank fuck for that, then." Jessy laughed, and the mood lifted again.

 

The night quickly closed in, but he made no move to leave and settled in for a long night. The day had felt neverending, but now everyone was home, he felt the tension bleed out, and he could enjoy the time he spent with them all. They all made an effort to include him, except Dan, who kept close to Lilly and was chatting to her too quietly for him to hear. They seemed close, and he wasn't sure what to make of it, it was something more than friends, but he didn't think it was romantic. Then again, he wasn't the best judge of that and didn't know them well enough to categorize their relationship. Manon kept whispering in his ear whenever she noticed he'd gone quiet. He appreciated it because his mind kept showing him all the ways she could've been hurt. She was tipsy and warm. The feel of her in his lap kept him grounded in the present and helped him block out the dark thoughts. He didn't want to go through another day like this, but he had no idea how to stop it and knew it was naive to try. Whatever came next, he'd face it with her.

 

He was woken at 3 am to the sound of her whimpering and fighting with the bed sheets. Her eyes were moving quickly under her eyelids, breathing shallow and fast, and she was sheened with sweat. He didn't want to frighten her more by shaking her awake, and she was dead asleep. Instead, he pulled the covers off them both and untangled her legs, dodging a kick to the face that would've been sore if it had connected. She sighed once he got her free, and she said his name, so clearly he thought he'd woken her, but she remained sleeping as she settled down, and her breathing returned to that of someone deeply asleep. He stroked her cheek and waited for his heart to stop racing. He had no good memories of being woken in the middle of the night, and his first instinct was that they were being attacked. She was, he supposed, dreams could feel as real as waking life, and he knew better than most how long the bad ones lingered. He sighed and rubbed a hand across his eyes, watching her carefully as she twitched and murmured before curling toward him. He watched her face for a while to be sure she was okay and smiled when she reached out her hand as if searching for him. He gently rested his arm around her waist and kissed the top of her head before closing his eyes. He knew he wouldn't fall back asleep and preferred to keep an eye on her anyway. When the sun began to rise, he finally fell into a restless doze.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Manon

 

 

 

 

She'd forgotten how harrowing the aftermath was. She'd focused so long on the actual work and scary shit. The part where she came home and had to explain what had gone down to everyone else was more challenging than any case she'd ever taken. In a case like this one, where she lived with the victims and the victim's family, it was tremendously draining to run down all that had happened. She knew they wanted to go over the evidence immediately, but she'd convinced them to let her and Jake sort through it and weed out the crap. Jessy had given Jake her phone last night, and he'd uploaded all her pics and Manon's before they'd fallen into bed. She'd just gotten off the phone with Alan Bloomgate, who berated her for sending him to a burnt-out house. She'd wanted to scream but wasn't surprised. Alan had been furious that she'd wasted his time, and she'd almost bit his head off but had managed to tell him she'd visit on Wednesday to show him what they'd seen. She had stashed the water bottles she'd collected on-site in her safe and would give them to him then.

 

Today, she had to hold everyone together and ensure they all understood how serious things were. Thomas had been quiet since their return, but Jessy clung to her anger and seemed even more set on destroying all trace of the man without a face. She was burrowed under a pile of blankets, a cup of tea in one hand and files from Rogers Garage in the other. Manon admired her determination and knew they'd track it down together if she found something else. All morning she'd been trying to sort through all she'd seen and hadn't even tried to get into Hannah's phone. Jake wanted to wait until it was fully charged and he could begin working to get inside if she failed to get it open herself. She'd plugged it in and tried to forget about it, fielding questions from her friends and trying to ignore the voices in her head telling her she was going to fail.

 

Dan had been hovering all day, as best he could, in a wheelchair, and she was this close to rolling him outside and locking the door. He meant well, but she didn't like someone constantly hanging around and asking if she was okay. It made her not feel okay. He took the hint when she handed him the last of her secret stash of snacks.

 

"Cheers, Nonbon!" He chirped and went off to the living room to annoy Jessy.

 

She was stress cleaning. Everything was spotless, but she kept scrubbing at a nonexistent stain on the counter while going over the events of yesterday. Instead of singing along to whatever music was playing like she usually would, she was muttering under her breath and cursing whatever God or reality shift had landed her in this mess. She didn't sense Jake's arrival until his hand landed on her shoulder and made her flinch. Immediately relaxing when she whirled and saw it was him. He held his hands up in a placating gesture, and his lovely eyes were filled with concern.

 

"Please don't ask if I'm okay, or I will thump you." She joked, dropping the cloth she was holding.

 

"I won't. But, can we talk?" He said, and she frowned, immediately concerned herself now.

 

"Nothing good ever follows those three words, but sure." She said and took his offered hand, and followed him back upstairs.

 

Her mind was full of questions and theories about what he wanted to talk about. She hated that he'd not given a hint and quietly led her away, but she knew if it were anything about them, he wouldn't have approached her that way. He took her to his computer and sat down. She perched on the arm of his chair and waited with no small amount of impatience.

 

"I was going through all the photos from yesterday. Who do you think this is?" He asked and pointed to a picture of a man wearing a cap and a backpack. He was looking off to the side so she couldn't make out his face, and he had hunched his shoulders as if trying to disguise his height to make him seem less notable. She squinted at the screen, tilting her head and chewing her lip before coming to a decision.

 

"On first glance, I'd say, Richy, purely by the hat." She paused, meeting Jake's eye before continuing, "but I don't think it's him. It's not mixed in with the images the attackers had of Richy. Richy's hair isn't so dark, and the way he's trying to make himself smaller leads me to believe it's you."

 

Jake smiled, "It is."

 

She sighed, "How did he know to take that photo, though? You could've been anyone."

 

"I thought it strange at first, but this town is so tight-knit and small that everyone knows everyone. I would visit from Colville every day and look around, I was noticed, but they don't seem to have a clue who I am." He replied.

 

She shook her head and unlocked her phone, scrolling through the photos to find the one with the raven made of code in Hanson's house.

 

She showed him her screen and said, "He doesn't know who you are, but he does know what you are."

 

Jake blinked, and his jaw clenched as he ground his teeth.

 

"How?" He gritted out, and she shrugged.

 

"Hannah, probably. Or they've figured out how we are getting our information."

 

"Fuck. Okay, that's -that's… there's nothing I can do about that. At least he doesn't have my name." He muttered, and she hummed in agreement, running her fingers through his soft hair and scratching at his scalp.

 

"True, we can be grateful for that, I suppose. They were meticulous in their investigation, and it's odd that none of them, except Hannah, noticed they were being followed." She said and frowned at the screen as Jake scrolled through the many images she and Jessy had taken.

 

 

"Not necessarily. He was well hidden and seemed to stay a safe distance away."

 

 

"Hmm, Dan was a newer addition, though. The photos are from his Instagram. They weren't taken stalker-style." She murmured and grabbed his hand as he went to click away from an image of two policemen in a patrol car.

 

 

"Wait, why was he watching the police?" She asked, and Jake shrugged.

 

 

"It's possible he happened to see them while out and recognized them from back when Jennifer died."

 

 

"Maybe. Can you make that clearer and blow it up so I can see their faces better?" She glanced at him and saw him nod. His stubble was longer than usual, and the shadows were back under his eyes. She wanted to order him back to bed, but the glint in his eye told her he'd had too much caffeine to sleep any time soon.

 

 

"I can, but it won't be a great resolution. The lighting and angle are too awkward to show us much." He explained. She smiled and kissed his cheek.

 

 

"Thank you, I want to take it to Alan and see if he can tell me why Hanson would bother taking their photo."

 

 

"I'll get started. It shouldn't take long." He promised, and she wished him luck before heading back downstairs.

 

 

Lilly was waiting for her in the kitchen, wringing her hands and twitching in her stool as Manon entered the room.

 

 

"Manon, I need you to tell me what he did to my sister." She said the moment Manon sat beside her.

 

 

Manon sighed and nodded, knowing she had no choice but to upset her friend.

 

 

"Okay, I can't tell you what he's done to her, but she had been kept there. Richy too."

 

 

Lilly frowned, "How bad was it? Was there blood or anything? I can't believe she was there the whole time. My grandpa used to take me walks up there, and I saw that house so many times as a kid."

 

 

Manon arched a brow and filed that information away for later.

 

 

"It wasn't a holiday camp, that's for sure. I don't think he's hurt her in a physical way that would leave its mark on the house. He kept her in the basement. She had food and water, blankets too, but not much else." She said and reached out to squeeze Lilly's shoulder when she closed her eyes and let out a ragged breath.

 

 

"Jesus. This will sound terrible, but I am so glad she isn't alone with them anymore. We have to find her and Richy soon. He won't keep them alive forever." Lilly's voice wobbled, and Manon knew Jake shared the same thoughts.

 

 

"You should speak with Jake. He's struggling too." She suggested with a soft smile.

 

 

Lilly nodded, "I think I will. He was a wreck yesterday when you were there. I've been worried about him."

 

 

Manon smiled and watched as Lilly left to find Jake, deciding to make dinner and then have a long, hot bath. She'd only just put the pasta on to boil when her phone buzzed on the counter, and she saw Phil's name on the screen. She wiped her hands on the hand towel and picked it up, snorting at the message.

 

 

Phil: That free drink still stands, and you still owe me an autograph, Miss Marple.

 

 

Manon: I charge $20 for an autograph, payment upfront. 

 

 

She put the phone down on the counter and stirred the sauce. His reply was almost instant.

 

 

Phil: Touche, shortcake. Just the drink then, you can bring whoever you like, and I promise I'll be good ;-)

 

 

Manon: I'll think about it.

 

 

She locked the phone and shook her head, ignoring his reply and focusing instead on dinner. Once all was done, she called her friends and Jake down to the dining room and let herself relax into the flow of everyday conversation. Her friends were making a great effort to not mention any of what went down the day before, and she pushed it aside as best she could as Jake kept a hand on her thigh the entire time. She wanted a vacation once this was all over but would settle for a day of absolutely nothing happening.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

"Manon?" Jake called from the bedroom.

 

She turned off the tap and sighed. She didn't like the tone of his voice.

 

"What is it?" She asked, reluctant to give up on the bath so soon.

 

"You need to see this." He said in that same overly flat tone that told her he was trying not to frighten or panic her, but he was freaked out himself.

 

"Shit," she cursed and gave the half-filled bath one last longing look before heading through to see what was wrong.

 

He was where he usually was, glued to his laptop, and she fought the urge to pick at her nails as her heart sped up and the first ribbons of panic fluttered through her. The screen was dark, but he didn't explain, only hit play, and she watched in stunned silence.

 

Richy appeared on the screen. Her heart leaped in its cage when she saw the bruised eye and swollen, cut lip. He looked filthy and utterly exhausted. He stared into the camera with dull, hollow eyes and spoke as if reading from a script. His face creased in pain whenever he moved.

 

"I'm guilty. The night Jennifer Hanson died, there weren't just two people there that night. There were three."

 

Manon glanced at Jake, whose jaw was clenched so tight it could cut glass, and he was tapping his fingers in a staccato rhythm on his desk as Richy took a deep breath to continue on.

 

"I was there too. Hannah, she came to me that night. She was with Amy. She wanted me to drive them to Grimrock because Amy had lost her keys or something. I can't really remember. I told them no because I'd been at the festival all day and I was drunk. I couldn't risk driving them. I wish I had now. Maybe then, none of this would have happened."

 

Richy was crying, taking great sobbing breaths that made him clutch at his ribs with each inhale. They'd beaten him. Rage was a song in her blood as he fought for air to tell his sorry tale, and she wanted to comfort him, even if he'd lied to her all this time. He stared into the camera, words stuttered and shaky, clearly exorcising a demon he'd long been chained to.

 

"Hannah had driven my car around the Junkyard a lot, so I gave her the keys to an old AMC Gremlin we had planned to scrap the next day. I thought that was the end of it. Later, they turned up at my bedroom window when I was getting ready to sleep. They were crying and shaken up. They wouldn't explain why and told me to come outside. So I did."

 

Another sob wracked his tired frame, and she ground her teeth, hands fisting on the desk as she felt Jake's eyes on her. She ignored him. She had to know.

 

"The car was fucked up. A huge dent in the bumper, and blood splattered over the hood and windshield. I thought they'd hit a deer or something. The damage was similar. But they told me they'd hit someone and had been too scared to stop. They wanted me to go with them to check. So I did. And there she was, Jennifer. She looked like a broken doll, lifeless and cold. She was dead."

 

 

Manon bit down on the inside of her cheek to keep from screaming and hung her head. Jake stopped tapping to run a hand down her back, rubbing soothing circles into her spine, but she was beyond it. She was mad. She was tired. And she was a step away from grabbing Jake's hand and asking him to run away with her. Instead, she listened to Richy as he cleansed himself of his sins and began to plan her next steps in her mind.

 

"I wanted to call the police. It was an accident. They were kids. They would be fine if we reported it. But then they begged me to help them cover it up, using the fact that my dad could lose his business when they found out I loaned them the keys to a car we were trusted with. That my family would suffer most if the truth came out. So I helped them. We buried her in the forest and never spoke of it again."

 

 

The video ended abruptly. There was a ringing in her ears, and she thought she could smell smoke. A coppery tang on her tongue told her she'd bitten too hard on her cheek. Jake was eyeing her warily like she was a bomb with seconds left on the clock, but she shook her head. A dark, bitter chuckle slipped free of her teeth, and she walked away, hands shaking at her sides as they formed claws. She wished she could rake them down Hanson's face.

 

"Are you okay?" Jake's voice was muffled as if underwater, and she shrugged, hands lifting before slapping her thighs.

 

"Okay? No. Definitely not." She said and began to pace, her thoughts going a mile a minute as she slotted this in with all she knew.

 

"Do you want to talk about it?" Jake asked gently. He moved to stand, and she held up a hand, head shaking as she warred with herself.

 

"No, I'm not okay, Jake. I'm fucking furious, and I'm sick of these surprises. Just once, I'd like people to tell me the goddamn truth when I'm trying to help. But no! Everyone has their own agenda, and I'm very close to leaving them all to deal with it themselves."

 

Jake nodded, despondent eyes seeing right through her.

 

"You won't do that, though. I know you. It's personal for you now." He murmured, and she snorted derisively.

 

"Yes, it has been for a while, but I'm only one person, and if my "friends" can't tell me the truth, who the fuck can I trust?" She snarled and immediately regretted it when his face fell. She shook herself and tried to wrangle her emotions back in their box before hurting the one she trusted with her life.

 

"Please don't give me the puppy eyes. I can't stand it. I don't mean you, but them. Richy was always so friendly and happy, but he was hiding this. What might the others be hiding?" She directed her question to the ceiling before sinking down onto the bed. She lay on her back, hands clasped behind her head, and shut her eyes as she worked to get her breathing even. She barely heard Jake walking over but felt the bed jostle and shake as he lowered himself beside her. He stroked her cheek and turned her head to face his. She reluctantly opened her eyes. The sad eyes were gone and replaced with his usual care for her, which she wasn't entirely sure she deserved.

 

"I know. I haven't trusted anyone in a very long time. Only you. I'm suspicious of all of them, but I highly doubt any of the others have a literal skeleton in their closets." He jested, and she gave a weak smile, grateful for his attempt at levity so she wouldn't sink into the mire of despair.

 

"If they are, I'll bury them with it." She whispered to see his dimple when he smiled.

 

"I don't doubt it, but let's push it to the side, and we can deal with it in the morning. You're exhausted, and I need you to look after yourself. I can't stand the idea of you getting hurt because you were too busy to sleep."

 

He pressed a kiss to her forehead, lingering for a long moment before pulling back to search her face. He seemed to relax at whatever he found there, and she smiled. She still had this, even if they all went down in a blazing fury.

 

"I love you." She breathed and let the tension drain out of her with the words.

 

Jake grinned, hand cupping her jaw and lips hovering over hers, so she tasted his sweet reply.

 

"I love you, too. You're not alone, not anymore."

 

Then his lips were on hers, and she gave herself over to it, hands pulling him closer in. He stole the breath from her lungs and chased away the last remnants of bitterness at her friend's lies. If everything came to an end tomorrow, at least they had this. If she somehow failed and got them all killed, she was grateful for this small slice of happiness before the end. If they managed to come out of this alive and whole, she'd make damn sure they had some time alone together to replace the bad memories with some good ones. She clung to it, the hope and the longing. Deep down, she knew it would keep her warm when things got too dark, and the monsters finally stepped out from the trees.

Notes:

Thank you for reading and for any comments you might leave! I appreciate you so much and you fuel this story!

I’m aiming for this to be wrapped up within 5-10 chapters! Not entirely sure, but yeah. Hopefully, that’s where it’ll end up! Usually, when I say things like this, I have way underestimated myself, but we'll see.

I plan to update both my fics on an alternate schedule, so you don't have to wait so long for the next chapter! I'll update my Game of Thrones fic next and come back here. This story is my baby, and it's a monster now. I can't believe how many words I've actually written lol

Chapter 20: There is an indentation in the shape of you, made your mark on me, a golden tattoo

Summary:

Wednesday! Manon and Lilly head into town to see Alan Bloomgate. It’s a short visit, and then they visit Lilly’s parents. Lots of romantic/sexual tension between Manon and Jake that is resolved at the end. It’s got a good amount of plot with some fun times too!

It's a monster of a chapter, even for me, haha!

Notes:

Thank you for continuing to support this story, I honestly couldn’t ask for better people to interact with here. Truly, I love ya!

I thought you deserved a nice long chapter since you were so patient with me and let me work on my other fic without worrying you’d think I’d abandoned this. And it’s a biiiig chapter, grab snacks and get comfy!

No collage because I’ve had no internet all week and had to go to my mums to edit and post this, I didn’t have time to make one.

Seriously it’s around 12,000 words and I should’ve split it up but it felt weird and I wanted this to sit at 20 chapters because the 19 was bugging me haha

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Inescapable

Not even gonna try

And if I get burned

At least we were electrified

I'm spillin' wine in the bathtub

You kiss my face and we're both drunk

Everyone thinks that they know us

But they know nothing about

 

All of this silence and patience

Pining and anticipation

My hands are shaking from holding back from you

All of this silence and patience

Pining and desperately waiting

My hands are shaking from all this

 

Say my name and everything just stops

I don't want you like a best friend

Only bought this dress so you could take it off

Take it off

Carve your name into my bedpost

'Cause I don't want you like a best friend

Only bought this dress so you could take it off

 

And I woke up just in time

Now I wake up by your side

My one and only

My lifeline

I woke up just in time

Now I wake up by your side

My hands shake

I can't explain this...”

 

Dress – Taylor Swift

*******

 

 

 

 

Manon

 

 

She finally got to have her hot bath and felt like a new woman when she emerged from the bathroom the next morning. She'd taken the time to do her makeup and hair even though she only planned to go to Alan today. She was wrapped in a towel, secured under her arms, as she picked out what she wanted to wear that day and settled on simple black trousers with a white shirt. Wanting to look professional but casual.

 

She laid them out on the bed and grabbed her body lotion off the nightstand before dropping her towel and slathering it on her legs. She could feel Jake watching her, and it might've taken longer than needed to finish smoothing it into her skin. She glanced at him and smirked when he looked away. They'd been too busy and worried to give in to the lust that simmered whenever they were alone. They shared a bed every night and teased each other with fingers and tongues, but she craved him deeply now, an empty ache inside her core that nagged at her. She knew he felt the same, and her heart skipped as she imagined them tangled up and sweaty. Tonight, she promised herself. She wouldn't wait any longer for it.

 

She got dressed, inconvenient lust banked for now, and Jake smirked when she winked at him as she buttoned her trousers. She wore nothing underneath and let him see it so he'd think about it all day. She had to go into town and meet Alan soon, she knew she had to take someone with her, and she was going to ask Jake. But he'd been busy all morning trying to organize their evidence so she could take it to Alan. They'd agreed to keep Richy's video to themselves so they could observe their friends a bit closer before dropping it on them. If any of them had been aware... She didn't know what she might do. She shook the thought away and went over to Jake and bent at the waist to kiss his cheek. He surprised her and turned his head, catching her lips in his.

 

Oh, she'd missed this too. His hand buried itself in her loose hair, and he increased the pressure to bruising levels that had her tilting her head to give him better access. The kiss was scalding, fingers pulling on her hair, and hers clung to his neck as he slid his tongue against hers. He tasted of mint toothpaste and home. She wanted him so badly she was already panting and trying to think of excuses so she could stay home all day. He nipped at her lip, pulling back to let her breathe before crushing their mouths together again, seeming unable to stay away. She thought she could kiss him all day and never get tired of it. Alas, she never got to find out.

 

A knock on the bedroom door brought an end to their heavy petting, and they broke apart with a frustrated groan. Jake breathed in deeply and cursed whoever had interrupted them, making her smile.

 

"Duty calls." She whispered and gave him one last kiss, tugging on his bottom lip with her teeth. Jake's hand wrapped around the back of her neck and tightened, she whimpered, and he smirked.

 

"Later then, Manon." He murmured and let her go, giving her a sharp tap on the ass as she turned to walk away and answer the door. She shivered and forced her desire down.

 

She crossed to the door and pulled it open, finding Lilly on the other side looking wholly exhausted and edgy. She frowned and invited her in, closing the door behind her.

 

"Is everything okay?" Manon asked, and Lilly nodded.

 

"Yeah, physically, I'm fine, but I'd really like to visit my parents today. I know you're going into town, and I thought I'd tag along. You can talk to my parents about Hannah too. Would that be okay?" Lilly said.

 

"I'd like to meet your parents, so it works for me. You can't tell them where we are or what we're doing, though. You know that, right?" Manon replied, and Jake made his way over to them.

 

"Hi, Jake," Lilly said, and Jake returned her greeting. Things seemed a bit easier between the siblings now, Manon noted, "I just have to see them so I know they're fine and haven't been caught up in this. I won't take long."

 

Manon nodded and smiled, eyeing Jake, who seemed torn between staying here or coming with them to meet the father he never had. She wondered if Jake's dad would recognize him, probably not since he'd only met him as a young child.

 

"I understand. Go get ready, and we can leave. I won't be spending long with Alan, so you'll have plenty of time with your parents." Manon said.

 

"Thank you, Manon. I know it's risky, but after seeing where Hannah has been living, I have to make sure they're okay."

 

"You should ask them if they've had any strange calls. Our kidnapper might have contacted them somehow, and we must know if he has." Jake suggested, and Manon nodded.

 

"I will, my - our dad is very security conscious, so if he's been around their house, he might've caught him on camera," Lilly said, and Manon tried not to let her hopes grow too high. Jake tensed at the mention of his dad, and her heart broke for him. He claimed he wanted nothing from the man, but she knew how deeply it hurt not to have a father, even if he had never acted like one. There was still a little boy inside him that wished his father cared enough to see him.

"The USB is nearly done, Manon. Give me 10 minutes, and you're good to go." He said and went back to his computer. She watched his retreating back and wished she could fix his complicated family for him.

Instead, she turned to Lilly and told her to be ready to leave in half an hour. Lilly left to get ready, and Manon went through the motions of gathering her things. First, she went to the safe, took out her gun and holster, and strapped it to her hip. She took her badge out of her jacket pocket and hung it around her neck before throwing on her suit jacket. She took out the bagged water bottles before sealing the safe again and putting them inside her purse, slinging it across her body to rest on her free hip. Jake was still busy, so she went downstairs to chug some coffee and grab a snack before leaving.

In the kitchen, she could hear her friends in the living room discussing random things. They'd all agreed to try and keep things light here so they could all feel safe and secure. They'd discuss the bad shit but wouldn't allow it to be all they talked about. They had to live too. She poured a cup of coffee and added milk, alternating bites of toast with mouthfuls of coffee. Once done, she washed her hands and headed back upstairs to put her boots on. Jake was waiting for her, USB in hand and she smiled at him.

 

"Thank you, Hackerman. You sure you don't want to come with us?" She asked, part of her hoping he would so she could observe him and his father, but he shook his head.

 

"Nah, I don't think I'd be able to keep myself from punching him. I'll come on the next one." He said, and she nodded.

 

"Oh, but I'd love to see that." She pouted and he laughed.

 

"You're a twisted little thing." He teased with a smile.

 

"Only for you." She sang and he shook his head fondly.

 

I'll let you invite him over one day, and you can watch me lose it then." he laughed, and she sidled closer to him, wrapping her fingers around his before taking the USB from him.

 

"You best ensure the house is empty when you do because we won't make it to the bedroom once I see that." She whispered and pushed up on her toes to give him a chaste peck on the lips before dancing out of his reach. His lovely eyes flashed, and heat trickled down her torso to settle between her legs. Oh, she needed him badly. He knew, too; she could see it in his face, and his smirk only heightened her arousal. She was going to eat him alive later, and she couldn't wait. She pressed her thighs together to counter the burn and turned the USB over in her hand.

 

"Let me guess, you've installed something in this that will help you somehow, haven't you?" She purred, and he tilted his head and grinned.

 

"I might have. You'll have to wait and see." He said, and she chuckled.

 

She quickly shoved her feet in her boots and tucked the USB into her coat pocket. Jake nodded once she'd put it away and went back to his computer. She told him goodbye and left to find Lilly.

 

 

***

 

 

Back in Duskwood, nothing much had changed, even though she now felt like a completely different person. The pretty town had its best colors on display. Many storefronts had large posters in the windows declaring that the annual Pine Glade Festival would begin soon. She'd been shocked when she saw the first poster and saw the date wasn't far away. Almost 10 years to the day since Jennifer went missing. Lilly had chattered on and off as they'd driven through town. Manon knew she was nervous to see her parents, so she kept the conversation light and easy to take her mind off of it.

 

"Did you speak with Jake yesterday?" She asked, even though she knew that she had.

 

"I did. Things don't feel as weird between us now, which is good. We're thinking about telling the others who he is to me."

 

Manon nodded. Jake had told her as much earlier that morning when she'd asked how he planned to tell Hannah. He still didn't know how to approach that but had said he thought it would be best if everyone knew so they wouldn't look at him strangely whenever he spoke with Lilly.

 

"Do you want to do that? I think it would be good for them to know, and we'll have to tell Hannah when we find her anyway so everyone will find out at some point." Manon said and turned her blinker on to turn into the police station. It wasn't a large building, and the parking lot was empty except for a few patrol cars. She slid into the first free space she found and parked the car.

 

"I think I want them to know. I don't want my parents to know yet, though." Lilly said as she unbuckled her seatbelt and followed Manon out of the car. Manon locked it and shoved the keys in her pocket, her car had been delayed yet again, and she was sick of driving the Honda now.

 

"Understandable. It's a life-changing secret. I can't help but think badly of your dad, how he could ignore his own child…" she trailed off, and Lilly sighed.

 

"He's always provided for us, but he wasn't the most present of dads. He's often away on business and prefers to spend time with his friends than his family."

 

Manon really didn't like this man, and she hadn't met him yet. He sounded terrible and she hated people who treated others like disposable objects. The hurt in Jake's eyes whenever his father came up made her want to hit the man. She shook her head, opened the station door, and let Lilly walk in first. The door slammed shut, and all three officers at their desks looked up as she walked into the room. The receptionist stood and greeted them.

 

"Hello, how can I help you?" Manon glanced at her name badge, Eileen.

 

Manon smiled, "I'm here to see Chief Alan Bloomgate."

 

Eileen glanced between her and Lilly and frowned.

 

"I'm sorry, he's swamped right now and can't be interrupted," Eileen said but didn't sound sorry at all.

 

Manon sighed and opened her jacket, twisting her body so the other officers couldn't see as she flashed her badge at the older woman guarding the gate.

 

“My name is Manon Corvin. I'm here on behalf of the FBI. The chief is expecting me, so I'd appreciate you letting him know I'm here and won't leave until I see him." She gave the woman a sickly sweet smile as her eyes widened on her badge before Manon closed her jacket again.

 

Eileen spluttered a bit before conceding and pushing a button on her desk phone.

 

"Chief, there's a Manon Corvin here to see you. Should I send her in?"

 

Manon tapped her foot on the tiled floor as Bloomgate sighed.

 

"Send her in." He said reluctantly, and Manon wanted to laugh. She may have been too hard on him when he visited.

 

Eileen didn't look pleased but did as told and waved them through the gate to the pen, where the other officers pretended to be working as she and Lilly walked by. She didn't pause to knock on the Chief's door. She swung it open and swaggered inside, and flopped into a chair across from Alan, who sat behind a large oak desk stacked high with paperwork. Lilly closed the door and took the other chair beside her. Alan looked surprised to see Lilly, but he quickly wiped it away and looked to Manon.

 

"I don't have much time. I have a meeting with the coroner in half an hour." He said tiredly.

 

Manon gave a single nod and reached into her bag, pulling out the plastic bag of water bottles. Alan watched with a confused expression but waited for her to set them down and explain.

 

"I bagged these yesterday. I found them in the basement of Hanson's house, along with many other things I have photographed for you. I believe Hannah and Richy were kept there, but they were moved just before we discovered the house."

 

Alan's brows lifted. Dark circles under his eyes told her he hadn't gotten any closer to finding him.

 

"When I arrived at the house, the place was ablaze. By the time the firefighters arrived, it was a smoking ruin." He said derisively, but she didn't take the bait.

 

She took out the USB and handed it over to him.

 

"Well, if you plug that into your computer, you'll see everything we found when we were there. This wasn't some spur-of-the-moment idea, Alan, this is an intricate plan, and he's had a decade to put it into action. You can keep this and take a look. Call me when you have time, and we can talk."

 

Alan looked at the USB in his hand, and she could see he still looked doubtful.

 

"Do you honestly think I'd waste your time lying about this? I'd lose all credibility. You might not like me or how I choose to do things, but you need me. I need your help as well, and if you want to regain your reputation in town, we have to work together before this man kills again." She said, voice calm and confident.

 

Alan heaved a sigh and inclined his head. She held back a smile when he put the USB into his shirt pocket.

 

"Thank you, Ms. Corvin. I'll have one of my officers look through -"

 

"No. It's for your eyes only." She cut in. She didn't trust any of the others and didn't want this getting out before they caught Hanson. Alan glared at her, but she stayed firm.

 

"I assure you that my officers are discreet and well-trained. They can check it and bring me the important facts."

 

She shook her head fiercely, "no. Any one of them could blab and hinder our investigation. I need you to swear that you won't let anyone else look at it. I'm working with you, not them." She added, and Alan's shoulders slumped. She felt a little bad because he had a lot on his plate, but she couldn't risk Jake's bug going on any other computer. It had to be Alan's.

 

"Fine. Message received. Now, I really do have to go. I'll send those to forensics and ask them to rush it. See if anything pops up." He agreed, and Manon relaxed an inch, standing to offer her hand to shake. Alan paused but did take it and shook.

 

"Thank you. I've also sent you my work email so you can send those other files over. I'll be in touch." She turned and walked to the door. Lilly followed and wished the chief good luck.

 

"Thanks, Miss Donfort. I am terribly sorry about your sister. I assure you we are doing all we can to find her." Alan said sincerely, and Manon smiled at Lilly.

 

"We'll find her together." Was all Lilly said before following Manon out the door.

 

She ignored the curious stares from the other officers. Two were young and green looking. The other man seemed more weathered and worn into the lifestyle. The scent of old, burnt coffee and printer ink hung heavy in the air. She didn't miss this part of her job one bit. She preferred to work alone. She knew the whole station would gossip about her later, and the town would begin to hear. She had no doubts Eileen would spread the fact that the FBI was here to her friends in the coffee shop.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Lilly had directed her to her parent's house. It was on the opposite side of town, and she'd been shocked to find what was essentially a mansion when Lilly told her to stop. The house was huge. Surrounded by acres of neatly mown grass and beautiful flowerbeds and displays. She could smell honeysuckle and roses as she stepped out of the car. The sun was beaming down on them, so she left her jacket in the car and tossed her hair over her shoulder so it wouldn't stick to her neck. Lilly looked at the house and took a deep breath as she steeled herself to face her parents. Both were home. Lilly had said as much when she'd spied the two cars parked on the paved driveway.

 

Iron fencing ringed the garden, and she could see the thick forest behind the house, even from here. She glanced at Lilly and waited for her to move. She didn't seem to want to.

 

"We can leave it for another day if you want?" She offered, knowing the girl was struggling, but she shook her head.

 

"No, I just needed a minute. Come on, time to meet the parents." Lilly said in a resigned tone and led the way to the gate. There was an intercom on the brick posts on either side of the gate, which Lilly pushed. It crackled and fizzed for a long moment until a woman's voice came through, muddy and unclear.

 

"Donfort residence. Who is calling?"

 

Lilly rolled her eyes, "It's me, mom. I've brought a friend."

 

Manon ran her eyes over the front of the house. She saw someone on the lower floor tug back the curtain as her gaze landed on them, peeking out.

 

"Oh, Lilly honey, come on in." Lilly's mom said, and the gate opened with a buzzing screech.

 

"I used to think they were crazy with the home security stuff, but now I wish Hannah had done the same," Lilly said. Manon followed her up the winding stone path to the large white door that opened before they stepped on the porch.

 

"Hi, mom! This is Manon. She's the friend we're all staying with." She said by way of explanation, and Manon smiled at the tall blonde woman with hazel eyes.

 

"Hello, Mrs. Donfort. It's a pleasure to finally meet you." Manon said warmly and held out her hand, pleased when the woman immediately shook it and smiled at her.

 

Lilly's mom was beautiful and looked much younger than her age would suggest. She wore a flowy summer dress that showed off her sun-kissed skin, and the powder blue color accentuated it more. Her blond hair was perfectly curled and pinned in a neat style, and she hadn't worn much makeup except pink lipstick and some mascara. Manon could see the sleepless nights and worry for her other daughter in the slight slump of her shoulders.

 

"Lovely to meet you, too. Please, call me Heather. Do come in. We're having tea in the kitchen." She said and held the door open for them.

 

Lilly didn't hesitate and walked straight through. Manon followed more discreetly and saw Heather's eyes dip to her badge and widen in shock. She quickly recovered and pasted on a smile, but it looked false now. Heather closed the door and led them through the foyer to the kitchen in the back. The inside of the house was just as well manicured as the outside. Pristine white walls and light wood flooring gave the space a bright and open feel. The many windows let in lots of natural light and almost gave the place a clinical feel. Everything was spotless and shiny. Even the white couch looked as if it had been polished. She felt as if she'd get everything dirty just by looking at it.

 

The only color came in the form of family photos and portraits of all of them. There were large bouquets of fresh flowers that she recognized from outside, which scented the air-conditioned space. She didn't want to touch anything and kept close to Lilly, who seemed quite at ease here, even if her nerves still showed by the wringing of her hands. On the other hand, Manon had a wild urge to get some red paint and start splashing the walls with it just to break up the dazzling white.

 

They moved through the long hallway into the massive kitchen with an attached dining room, where Jake's father sat with a cup of tea and a plate of cake in front of him. She ignored the expensive kitchen done in shades of white, grey, and shiny steel to focus on him. He was attractive, with the same hard jaw that Jake possessed, but he wore no beard, and his hair was sandy blond. His eyes, though, she almost took a step back. They were practically identical to Jakes, but everything else was different. He was tall and lanky as he rose from his chair to greet them. His hair was deliberately styled to cover up the fact it was thinning, and his clothes were of fine make but hung from his frame.

 

He gave Lilly a smile and welcomed her warmly, but when he looked at Manon, his smile turned false, and distrust flashed in his eyes. She kept her face blank of any emotion and forced herself to return the smile. Her dislike only grew stronger when he immediately dismissed her and ordered his wife to make them tea. Lilly took a chair opposite her father, leaving one open beside her for Manon. Manon sat stiffly and folded her hands in her lap. She felt her phone vibrate in her bag but didn't move to check it.

 

Heather bustled over with a tray carrying two cups and a fresh pot of tea. The milk and sugar were already on the table. Once she'd poured them a drink, Heather sat down and refilled her cup before speaking.

 

"Lilly said you're a friend?" She asked Manon.

 

Manon stirred sugar into her tea and placed the spoon on the saucer before replying.

 

"Yes, Mrs. Donfort - Heather. Lilly and our other friends are staying with me for the time being."

 

Heather delicately sipped her tea and placed the cup back down.

 

"Is it normal for the FBI to house their victims?" Heather asked nonchalantly, and Manon held back a grin. She saw now where Lilly got her sass from. 

 

"It's not. I wasn't involved with the FBI until after they'd moved in with me." Manon explained and tried to avoid catching Mr. Donfort's eye. 

 

"I see. Are they involved in my daughter's case, or is it just you?" Heather said.

 

"As of right now, it's just me and Duskwoods police force. My boss has given me permission to use the FBI's resources to bring your daughter home and I will make sure they act fast when we need them." Manon promised and took a sip of tea.

 

"How much sway could you possibly have with the FBI? You're just a girl." Mr. Donfort said dismissively, and Manon held tight to her predictable temper. Lilly didn't, though.

 

"Dad! Manon's done more than the entirety of the Duskwoods police force. She stuck around even when I accused her of being the kidnapper. She's going to find Hannah. Trust me." 

 

Mr. Donfort lifted a brow but nodded, taking a bite of cake before replying.

 

"I meant no disrespect, Manon. Please, call me Nathan. I appreciate all you're doing. I don't appreciate that I can't know where my daughter is, and I can't visit her." He said and looked down his nose at Manon. Lilly rolled her eyes and excused herself; she wanted to grab some things from her old room. Manon watched her go and steeled herself. Time for the real point of this visit.

 

"I apologize for the secrecy, but it is needed. I can't risk our safety by revealing our location to too many people. I'm happy to bring Lilly to you whenever you wish to see her." Manon said sincerely and clasped her hands together to keep from fidgeting. 

 

"Do you have protections in place? I'll sleep better knowing my daughter is secure." Nathan sighed.

 

"Of course. I have a state-of-the-art security system in place with cameras around the perimeter. I also have the ability to defend if the worst was to happen." Manon assured him.

 

"Honey, we should trust that Lilly knows what she's doing and will be fine. You know she'd never stay with someone she didn't trust." Heather appealed to her husband, who seemed to shrink under her assessment. 


Can I ask you some questions before we leave? I'd like to get a better picture of Hannah." Manon asked.

 

"Yes, that sounds alright, Doesn't it, Nate?" Heather said, and Nathan inclined his head.

 

"I suppose that's a good idea." He said, and Manon smothered the urge to laugh.

 

"Excellent. I've already asked her friends and Lilly, but as her parents, you'll know her better than anyone. Can you tell me how she acted in the weeks before her disappearance?" 

 

Lilly's parents took a moment to think it over, catching each other's eye before Heather spoke.

 

"We barely saw her during that time. She'd call, but she sounded stressed or upset. When I asked her what was wrong, she told me she was fighting with Thomas and was just tired. I should've pressed for more, but she's very secretive about her life and tends to push us away if we poke too hard. I wish I had done more now." Heather sounded so incredibly sad that Manon felt terrible for asking them anything. Nathan reached out and took his wife's hand.

 

"Hannah did ask me about setting up a security camera two weeks before she went missing. I helped her install it, but she wouldn't tell me why she needed it." Nathan said, and Manon nodded.

 

"Did you think that strange or normal for Hannah?" Manon asked.

 

"Normal. As my wife said, she doesn't tell us much, and she was responsible enough that we never had to worry. It was a shock to learn she'd been kidnapped." 

 

Manon internally sighed. Hannah was a damn enigma. Nobody knew her. Not even her parents. 

 

"Okay, moving on, did she tell you what she and Thomas were fighting about?"

 

"She alluded to him being overly protective and pushy but nothing else. I've always liked Thomas, but he could be clingy. Hannah always liked time alone, and Thomas never really understood that. She loved him, though, and he treated her well. All couples have their problems." Heather said and shrugged, glancing at her husband as she said the last part, which Manon found interesting. She wondered if his wife knew he played the field while away on business. 

 

"Yes, Thomas seemed like a decent young man. He was distraught when she went missing and spent a lot of time coming here to ask for updates." Nathan added calmly.

 

Manon had already gathered as much from being around Thomas and his devotion to Hannah. 

 

"You didn't suspect him at all?" She said and carefully observed them as they spoke.

 

"I never did. Thomas wears his heart on his sleeve and can't lie to save himself. I don't believe he's involved." Heather said.

 

"I did at first. Simply because it's a well-known fact that when someone is killed or missing, their partner is usually behind it." Nathan said and stared off to the side.

 

"You don't suspect him anymore?" Manon asked and met his eye when he turned to her. She saw nothing of Jake in those eyes, the color was the same, but they were cold and devoid of emotion.

 

"I don't mean this to sound harsh, but Thomas isn't the brightest of people. There is no way he could pull this off." Nathan explained, and Manon bit her tongue to keep from saying something she'd regret later.

 

"Okay. Do you remember your last conversation with Hannah?" 

 

Heather nodded, but Nathan shook his head.

 

"Yes. I called her a few days after she told me about her fight with Thomas. I wanted to check in. When she answered, she was her old self again. She was joking and happy. She said everything had calmed down, and things would return to normal soon. I just assumed she meant Thomas had apologized." Heather said.

 

"I believe Hannah was being stalked before she was taken. She didn't mention anything at all to you? You didn't receive any strange calls after she went missing?" Manon asked and watched as both parents jolted and violently shook their heads.

 

"No. No, she didn't. We would've gotten involved if she had. We haven't had anyone call here except family and the police. Are you sure you're not mistaken?" Heather said, and Manon could only upset her further.

 

"I'm afraid not. At this point, I'm positive she was being followed and harassed. Stalkers like to terrorize and disturb their victims, and occasionally they move on to harm their victims. Hannah's was no different." Manon said and felt like she had destroyed this couple's peace of mind.

 

"Jesus. Why didn't she tell us?" Nathan asked. 

 

Manon knew the answer to that, but she couldn't tell them. She didn't want it getting out before Hannah was safe. 

 

"By the sounds of it, Hannah was very independent and didn't want to burden anyone. I believe she wanted to keep everyone safe and kept it to herself. She did approach Alan Bloomgate but was taken before he could help." Manon said and tried to infuse as much care into her voice as she could. 

 

"Alan did mention that Hannah thought she was being followed, but he'd asked for evidence. Hannah obviously couldn't send him any, and that was that." Nathan said, and Heather agreed with his statement.

 

"I'm doing all I can to find her and the person responsible. We have multiple leads to follow, and I will update you when I can. Is there anything else you'd like to tell me before I go?" Manon asked and smiled at Lilly, who entered the kitchen, at last, weighed down with a heavy satchel she practically hugged as she sat down. 

 

"No, nothing. Hannah had a very full life, so we only saw her a handful of times a month. Her friends saw her far more than we did." Heather said with a sad smile.

 

"I'm often away for business. My wife deals with the girls most of the time. We'd text each other silly jokes and things, but that was it. She was very private, and we respected that." Nathan sounded defensive, and Manon knew then that they'd been accused of being absent parents. Manon snidely thought that Nathan should be used to that feeling. She took out her business card from her bag and handed it to Heather. 

 

"I completely understand. My contact information is on there. The address is wrong, but everything else is fine. Please, if you think of anything else, call me, and we can talk. In the meantime, I'll continue with my investigation. I promise I'm doing everything I can to find her. She will be home soon." Manon stood and glanced at Lilly, who followed her to the kitchen door. 

 

"Thanks, Mom. I'll call you soon to check in." Lilly said and turned to leave. Heather got up to see them out.

 

The walk through the house was silent and awkward, but they made it back outside. Heather thanked her for coming and wished them goodbye. Manon left after shaking her hand and thanking her for her hospitality. Lilly lingered to hug her, so Manon walked back to the car and started it. Lilly ran down the path and jumped in the car, she looked on edge, but when Manon asked, she said she just felt weird around her dad now. Manon let it go and began the drive back home.

 

 

***

 

 

Back at home, Jessy was bouncing off the walls with excitement and accosted Manon the moment she walked through the door. Dan was also looking suspiciously cheerful, and she was immediately on high alert. Nothing good ever came from that feral smile of his. She returned Jessy's bear hug and laughed. She hadn't seen her like this in too long.

 

"What's got you in such a good mood?" She asked when Jessy let her breathe. 

 

Jessy bounced on her toes, her hair bobbed in its loose bun as she moved, and her eyes were sparkling with delight.

 

"Phil called. He said he's closing the bar to customers tonight, so we can all go down and have a night out!" Jessy said in a rush, and Manon shook her head, exasperated that Phil had gone behind her back to ensure she went to the bar. 

 

"What did you tell him?" Manon hedged and tried to keep her smile from slipping.

 

"I said I'd have to make sure it was okay. He said to tell you that an autograph isn't required for entry." Jessy snorted and rolled her eyes. Manon didn't have the heart to turn her down.

 

"And does everyone else want to go?" She asked the room as a whole. All had been in the living room when she got back except Jake, who she thought might be in the shower because she could hear the boiler at work. Everyone shouted their answer at her, a resounding yes. Manon sighed and shrugged. 

 

"Fine. But we take two cars, and we have two designated drivers." She said, and Jessy squealed.

 

"Thank you, thank you, thank you! Cleo already said she wasn't drinking." Jessy said, and Cleo nodded.

 

"I had far too much wine last night. I'm fine driving tonight." Cleo said, and Manon agreed she'd be the most sensible person to drive.

 

"Okay. What time does Phil want us there?" Manon asked Jessy.

 

"Any time after 5pm is good." 

 

Manon looked at the time and saw she only had about an hour to get ready. She also noticed that the text she'd received at Lilly's parents had been from Phil. He'd sent one word and a smiley face. 

 

Phil: Checkmate ;-)

 

She huffed but said, "We'll leave at 6 then. I'll go get ready."

 

Everyone sprang into action and rushed to their rooms to prepare. She went to the kitchen first and quickly made a sandwich for herself and Jake. She knew he'd probably be hungry, and they had no time to make dinner. Once done, she ran up the stairs and placed his on his nightstand. She settled on the bed to eat her own as she thought about what to wear. The shower was still running but cut off when she was halfway through eating and reading an article online. She glanced up as he stepped into the room with a towel slung dangerously low on his hips. She smirked and winked, drawing a laugh from him.

 

"We're going out. You're coming too. I'll hear no arguments about it." She teased, and he arched a brow at her.

 

"Oh, Really? And where are you taking me, against my will?" He joked. 

 

She stuck out her tongue, and he rolled his eyes. 

 

"The Aurora. Phil is closing it down so we can go."

 

Jake glowered at her, and she wanted to cackle.

 

"In that case, I'm definitely going. Does he have to be there?" He muttered, and she gave a fond snort.

 

"Well, you see, it's his bar, so…" 

 

Jake poked her in the side and sat down beside her. 

 

"Cheeky, but fine. How'd your visit with Hannah's parents go?" He changed the subject and picked up the sandwich, thanking her before tearing into it. 

 

"They were… nice. They didn't know what their daughter was going through, but they treated me kind enough." She said, picking at the crusts on her sandwich.

 

"Hmm. What's he like?" He asked after a long pause and her heart twisted for him.

 

"He seems cold and distant. I think his wife knows that he plays when he goes away." She admitted and observed him from the corner of her eye. He was tense and seemed to be chewing slowly to give himself time to think. 

 

"Good wives always know, I suppose." He finally murmured and she frowned, upset she couldn't help him with this. 

 

"They usually do. You look nothing like him. You have similar eyes and jawline, but that's it. You must've taken after your mother." She said softly, laying her head on his shoulder. He smelt clean and warm, familiar and safe. 

 

"Thank you, I suppose I'll see him soon, and I can see for myself." He said and relaxed slightly. 

 

"If his wife hadn't been there, I probably would've been harder on him, but they're going through enough just now. Unfortunately, being a shitty husband and father isn't a crime." She said and sat up, she had to get ready now, or they'd never leave. 

 

"I have to get changed. A night off will do us a world of good, I think." She nodded to herself and returned his gentle smile with one of her own. 

 

"I'll drive us so you can have fun." He offered.

 

"Are you sure? I don't mind driving."

 

"I'm sure. You're doing all the hard work. I'll drive." 

 

She grinned and leaned over to kiss his cheek before getting up and raiding her wardrobe. He was quiet as she picked through the clothes and decided on something simple. She took her dress into the bathroom and quickly went through the motions of getting ready. 

 

An hour later, she passed through the bedroom and knelt in front of the wardrobe to find the shoes she wanted. She'd just pulled them out when Jake appeared behind her and trailed his fingers down her bare back. She looked over her shoulder and smirked up at him. His eyes were on her exposed skin. The dress was backless but high-necked, black satin that clung to her frame and ended just above her knees. It was too fancy for such a small town, but it was comfortable, and she liked it, plus she wanted to have him out of his mind with want. It was working well. 

 

"Yes?" She teased and rose from her knees to stand and face him.

 

"You look... indecent." He said in a rough voice that made her toes curl.

 

"Hmm, is that good or bad in your language?" She smiled and tilted her head, looking him up and down.

 

She very much liked what she saw. He'd worn a midnight blue long-sleeved shirt. It fit him like a glove and looked expensive, he'd rolled the sleeves up, and she knew she'd be staring at his hands all night. He'd paired it with black jeans that also looked new, and the result was entirely too distracting. She resented her friends for making her leave this room. Her mind had already done the math on how long it would take to undress him, and it was a damned shame they had to wait.

 

"It's good, very good. You look stunning, Manon." He murmured, and the blue of his eyes turned to black.

 

"You're not bad to look at either." She breathed, heart hammering at the unexpected intensity of his reply.

 

He gave her that smirk that told her he knew where her mind had gone, and she cursed her friends for taking them away from their bed. Later, she promised silently and perched on the edge of the bed to tie the straps of her shoes.

 

 

 

 

  Jake

 

 

He almost couldn't focus on the road as he drove them into town. Manon lounged in the passenger side, legs crossed, and her dress hiked up her thighs whenever she moved. It was a test of his strength driving instead of touching and tasting. Lilly had chosen to come with him and Manon. She was the only reason he hadn't pulled off to the side of the road and dragged Manon into his lap. The others had gone with Cleo. How a simple black dress could be so distracting, he didn't know.

 

He'd never driven these streets, but he'd walked them so often they were imprinted on his brain, and he found the Aurora easily. Cleo's car pulled in behind them and took the space beside theirs. The lot was empty, but the lights were on. He took the keys out of the ignition and pocketed them, steeling himself to deal with Phil before getting out. He walked around the front of the car to Manon's door and pulled it open, taking her hand to help her out. She grinned at him as he shut her door and waited for Lilly to join them.

 

"You sure about this?" He asked Manon, eyes scanning their surroundings to ensure they were alone.

 

"No, but they wanted to come. It might be fun." She shrugged and led him over to Cleo's car.

 

The women had all dressed up and treated it as a proper night out. The men had made their own efforts, and Dan was wearing a pair of sunglasses which he didn't entirely understand, but he seemed happy. Jessy was practically jumping out of her skin with impatience as they approached.

 

"Come on, he's got drinks ready for us." Jessy bounced on her toes, made easier by her heels, and he wondered how anyone could walk in them. Manon's were almost a weapon in themselves.

 

Jessy didn't wait for a reply and skipped to the bar entrance, dragging Cleo by the hand. At the same time, Thomas and Dan followed. Jake cut his eyes to Manon, who met his gaze with an exasperated smile. Lilly chuckled but went in with the others. No choice now but to go inside. He took Manon's hand and strode for the door, holding it open so she could enter first. He took a deep breath as she brushed past him and threw him a knowing smile. He knew she'd be paying close attention to any interaction he had with Phil.

 

The Aurora was essentially a dive bar, dark and dingy with old-fashioned furniture, but it was spotlessly clean. No music was playing, though, and it felt wrong. He could hear the others chatting, though, and couldn't hear Phil, so he forced some of the tension away. They made their way inside and headed for the booth their friends had commandeered. They had the run of the place, so they'd dragged a table and some chairs over so everyone had a place to sit. Manon pulled him to the only two seats left open and plopped down. He dutifully followed and didn't let go of her hand as Phil greeted them with a tray of drinks.

 

"Well, if it isn't my favorite gang and Duskwood's newest celebrity. How're things, Jessica Fletcher?"

 

Manon rolled her eyes and accepted the drink he handed her. She sniffed it and looked unconvinced by the cloudy, blood-orange color as she took a sip, but she seemed to enjoy it. Phil had been watching her, and he fought the urge to throw his arm around her bare shoulders to mark her as his.

 

"It's called the Blood and Sand. Seemed like it would fit you." Phil said as he doled out the rest of the drinks. Everyone had been given a cocktail of some sort. Dans included a bright pink umbrella and a flamingo straw, making him throw the bartender a searing glare. Jake was served last, and it appeared to be a simple Old Fashioned. He nodded his thanks but didn't drink it. Cleo asked for a soda, and Phil brought back enough for everyone, and he was glad he wouldn't have to seek him out for it. Cleo slid a can of coke along to him, and he thanked her with a smile.

 

"Any music requests?" Phil asked the group.

 

"Anything but that band you had in here the other month! They were atrocious." Jessy laughed and took a drink of her bright pink cocktail.

 

"They weren't that bad," Cleo said.

 

"You were drunk. Everything is good when you're drunk." Dan joked, and Cleo chuckled.

 

"I'll throw on a playlist. You're awfully quiet there, Manon." Phil said.

 

Manon had been too busy trailing her hand up his thigh to pay attention to Phil until he said her name, and he couldn't hold back the satisfied smirk when Phil noticed.

 

"Sorry, I'm a bit preoccupied at the minute. Play whatever." She said and resumed teasing Jake, feline eyes glittering with mischief.

 

Phil nodded and walked away. Music quickly began playing, and everyone relaxed as the alcohol worked through their systems. They were on their third drink when an upbeat song came on, and Jessy squealed, jumping out of her seat to drag a very sober Cleo onto the dancefloor. Manon giggled into her martini glass as Cleo shook her head and tried to get out of Jessy's grip, but she held tight, and Cleo gave in. Dan said, "fuck it," and rolled his chair over to join them. Lilly went with him, it was a spectacle to watch, and even Cleo soon loosened up.

 

He could tell when the alcohol hit Manon. She became even more handsy, and the veneer of indifference she usually wore had been replaced by a giddy smile. If she sat any closer, she'd be in his lap, and he'd have no complaints. They had an audience, though, and he couldn't relax knowing he was being watched. He discreetly glanced at the bar where Phil was mixing more drinks while laughing at his sister, his eyes flicked to Manon now and again, but she was oblivious.

 

Manon swallowed the last of her drink a second before Jessy ran over to pull her onto the dance floor.

 

"No, I'm not dancing." She protested, but Jessy wasn't moved.

 

"Yes, you are! Even Thomas is up there." Jessy giggled. They hadn't even noticed he'd left the table.

 

Manon groaned and looked at Jake. He smiled and told her to go for it.

 

"Fine, but only for one song!" Manon shouted over the music as it changed to something more suited to a rave.

 

Jessy didn't acknowledge Manon's condition, and Manon let herself be dragged away. He shook his head as they joined the others, pleased she could enjoy herself and let go for a while. He was too busy watching her fluid movements to notice Phil until he sat across from him. He eyed the dancing group and turned back to Jake. He was immediately on the defensive.

 

"What's your story?" Phil asked and drank from a bottle of beer.

 

Jake shrugged, "It's not worth telling."

 

Phil's brow's lifted, "It must be. If you're involved in all this, I mean."

 

"I'm involved. That's all you need to know."

 

Phil snorted, "What's the deal between you and Poirot over there?"

 

Jake straightened and gave him an unimpressed look.

 

"We're together. Is that enough for you?"

 

"Hmm, can't be too serious. You barely know her."

 

Jake couldn't keep his hand from curling into a fist but did manage to keep the vicious insult behind his teeth.

 

"It's serious. But go ahead, ask her yourself."

 

"Ask me what?" Manon's voice came from behind him a second before her arms slid over his shoulders, down his chest, and she rested her chin on his shoulder. He barely managed to keep from jumping.

 

"Nothing, we were just talking," Phil said and downed his drink.

 

Manon flashed Phil a grin that was all teeth and was glad he hadn't taken a drink, or he'd have choked, "I see. Why did Jake look like he wanted to kill you if you were 'just talking."

 

Phil seemed to struggle for words, and Jake decided to hand him a life raft.

 

"He wanted to know how I got involved. That's all."

 

Manon smirked, and he could tell she didn't believe him, but a song he recognized from her many playlists began to play, and she clutched his shirt as she bounced on her toes. He knew what was coming next but had no excuse ready.

 

"Dance with me?" She pinned him with those wicked eyes, and he couldn't turn her down, even if dancing was his idea of hell. But it was far preferable to speaking with Phil.

 

Phil sat back and crossed his arms as Manon danced backward and pulled him along. He wrapped a hand around her waist when she stopped and bent his head so she could hear him.

 

"I can't dance, Manon."

 

She flung her hands around his neck and pushed up on her toes.

 

"It's just sex with our clothes on."

 

He barked a laugh and shook his head, "You're evil."

 

She grinned and pressed herself against him. The silk of her dress slipped and slid as she moved. He knew that they weren't alone but the others and the bar, it all faded away, and all he saw was her. He didn't think about what he was doing or worry about stepping on her toes. She was nimble enough to step away whenever his feet got too close. She didn't dance like she had with her friends. No, her advice had been more true than he'd expected as she turned and placed his hands on her hips, grinding back against him. He was grateful when she turned around and hung from his neck, he was straining against his jeans, and she looked far too pleased with herself.

 

"This is torture." He said into her ear and let his hands skim down her back to tug her into him, letting her feel his reaction to her.

 

"It's foreplay." She laughed and shimmied back so he could twirl her, which only delighted her more. Her face was flushed, and her green eyes had been overtaken by black. She'd come alive, and he was glad she'd made him do this.

 

The song changed to something slower, but he didn't try to disentangle himself, and she easily made sure he followed the beat. It wasn't that she was a good dancer; she just didn't care if she was, and she was the sexiest thing he'd ever laid eyes on. She was smiling, all signs of her usual facade had vanished, and she looked younger for it. He glanced around and found Jessy leading Lilly in a bizarre, robotic version of a waltz blended with the Thriller dance. They took turns breaking down laughing before taking their odd dance back up. Dan had gone back to the table with Thomas and Cleo. They were engrossed in conversation with Phil as they pounded shots. He didn't want to be either of them tomorrow, and Cleo clearly regretted her choice to remain sober. He didn't mind not drinking. He wanted to remember this without the blurring effect of alcohol.

 

 

***

 

 

It was almost the witching hour when he and Cleo managed to convince everyone it was time to go. Manon had been ready to leave for a while but hadn't wanted to put an end to their friend's fun. Phil had told them they were welcome back anytime and had told Jessy to text him once she got home which made Jessy burst into tears and hug him. Jake had never seen a man look so unsure of what to do, but he soon recovered and hugged her back, handing her off to Thomas, who helped her into Cleo's car. They had made it back to the house unharmed. Lilly had passed out in the backseat before he'd even pulled out of the Aurora's parking lot. Manon had seemed drunk in the bar but had sobered up enough to help him wake Lilly and support her as they climbed the steps to the porch.

 

The others were already huddled around the door. Dan was slurring something to Cleo, who was humoring him, and Thomas could barely keep his eyes open. Jessy had slumped to the floor, cross-legged with her chin propped up on her hand, but her eyes were closed, and Jake could see she'd fallen asleep. Manon handed Cleo the house key, and she quickly unlocked it. It was a feat of endurance to get everyone safely inside. Manon woke Jessy, and she was resentful of that, claiming she wanted to sleep on the porch and see the stars. Her eyes never opened so he suspected the stars she saw were all in her head. Thomas swooped in and saved the day, hauling her to her feet so he could pick her up and carry her up the stairs while Manon reset the security alarms and locked the door.

 

Dan took one look at the stairs, then his chair, and sighed deeply. Jake was about to offer his help when Dan cursed.

 

"Fuck it. I'll take the couch." And wheeled himself away.

 

Cleo glanced at Lilly and said, "If you can get her into our room, I'll look after her from there."

 

Jake and Manon agreed, and they began the slow climb. It took much longer than it usually did because Lilly had turned into a dead weight, but they got her into the room and let her fall onto her bed. Cleo snorted and thanked them before wishing them goodnight. Once she'd locked their door, he turned to look at Manon as she hopped from foot to foot, wincing. He gave her a playful smirk and scooped her up. She sighed softly as he settled her in his arms, and he could see the relief in her eye's now the weight was off her feet. She wrapped her hands around his neck and smiled as he carried her to their room.

 

Jake walked them into the en-suite bathroom and sat her on the toilet.

 

"I'm going to take these off, okay?" He said quietly and wrapped his hand around her ankle.

 

 She nodded and watched him through hooded eyes while he undid the straps of her heels. She gave a soft moan as her bare feet hit the cold tile. The silk dress she wore clung to every curve and hollow and moved like liquid night whenever she shifted, which was often since she'd begun running her finger's through his hair. It was criminal how easily she could arouse him, every breath and gentle touch sent heat straight through him. 

 

Jake turned to the sink, grabbed their toothbrushes, rinsed them, and applied toothpaste. He turned to Manon to find her already watching him, heat crept up his neck, and he fought the urge to hide from her gaze. He knelt between her parted thighs, keeping his eyes trained on her face and valiantly ignoring the thoughts of the things he usually preferred to do in this position. He held her toothbrush out, and she accepted it with a grateful look. She dutifully lifted her hand to her mouth and sluggishly began brushing. He fought the chuckle that tried to escape at her clumsy movements and rocked back on his heels as he brushed his teeth, feeling a bit silly but not enough to leave her. He looked to the vanity sink and spotted the glass they used to rinse with. He made to stand up, but Manon's soft hand on his cheek stopped him. He glanced up at her and found her holding her toothbrush out to him.

 

"I'm finished." She said through a mouthful of foam, and he couldn't stop the laugh that slipped free, and she grinned back at him, clearly pleased with his reaction. He took it from her, and she reluctantly let him go. He rinsed both under the tap and placed them beside the sinks, filled the glass, set it down on the counter, and held a hand out to Manon, who grasped it and pulled herself up on wobbly feet. Jake pulled her to him, settling her back against his chest. The top of her head only reached below his collarbones, but he bent and kissed it anyway. He snaked his arm around her waist, held her tightly, and lifted the glass to her mouth. Her head fell back against his chest as she swished the water around her mouth before bending to spit it out. The movement caused her ass to rub against his crotch, and judging by the fact she wiggled against him, she knew how he'd react.

 

Jake tightened his hold on her waist as she straightened but made no attempts to move away, only watching him in the mirror. He met her eye in the reflection and saw the heat and the challenge in her eyes.

 

"How drunk are you, Manon?" His voice was guttural. He almost didn't recognize it.

 

He swept her hair to one shoulder, baring her neck as he said it, seeing her breathing hitch as she watched him, her hands fisted in the silk against her thighs. Jake ran his nose down the column of her neck, his free hand holding her chin in place as he breathed her in. The scent of her always drove him crazy. Manon tilted her head, giving him more of her throat. He brushed his lips back up to her ear, tugging lightly on her earlobe, and felt her knees weaken. He tightened his arm in a bruising hold to keep her upright. He didn't think she'd answer, but she always managed to surprise him.

 

"I'm not drunk enough that you'd be taking advantage, just enough to want you to fuck me while I watch us in the mirror."

 

Her bold words shocked him into stillness, his eyes lifting to meet hers in the mirror. He found her smirking back at him. He growled in her ear, causing her to shiver as he dropped his mouth to where her pulse fluttered wildly in her neck. He kept his eyes on hers as he bared his teeth and bit down hard, sweeping his tongue over to soothe the hurt as Manon threw her head back against his chest, moaning. Her hands flew back to grip his ass and wriggle against him, the heat of her hardening him to painful levels as he nipped and sucked his way back her ear.

 

"Is that what you want, Manon?" A sharp nip of his teeth on her neck and Manon rubbed her thighs together, "To watch as I make you fall apart?" She was nodding, eyes closed as he marked her throat, fingers digging into his thighs as she pushed back against him. He fought the urge to bend her over and slide inside her wet heat, wanting to draw this out, "How should I begin?"

 

Jake released her chin, letting his fingers trail down the sides of her neck as he wrapped his hand around her throat, squeezing lightly as he'd noticed drove her wild. Felt her swallowing against his palm as the hand he kept at her waist loosened enough to stroke the silk-clad skin there. He knew if he slipped his hand under her dress, she'd be wet for him, but he waited for her to say it. His hand flexed against her throat as she rubbed her thighs together and squirmed, a dark chuckle against her cheek as he watched her. Lust-addled eyes speared him in the mirror, and his cock twitched impatiently against his jeans.

 

"Touch me. I just need you to touch me." 

 

Her voice cut off in a warbling moan as he slid his hand under her dress and discovered she was bare beneath it. He hissed and snapped his teeth at her ear when he realized she hadn't worn any underwear. He found her slick and hot as he'd known, her thighs damp when they fell open. He circled her clit with his thumb only once before he abruptly slid a finger inside her, the hand around her neck the only thing keeping her upright as she bucked against him. Manon's breathing turned harsh and impatient as he stilled his hand, her hips grinding down into his hand, chasing the friction he wouldn't give her. His smile was nothing short of predatory when she whined in distress.

 

"I'm touching you. Is that not what you wanted, Manon?"

 

Manon's eyes were feral. She actually snarled at him. Need and lust poured from her in waves, making him grind his erection against her, groaning as he did. Jake almost gave in to the desire roaring in his blood, but he liked her like this, coming undone with nothing but his voice and hand. He knew she'd only take it for so long, would snap, and he'd be a goner. He wanted her to look and feel as tangled up as he did whenever she touched him.

 

"Jake, I swear to god if you don't start moving your hand, I'll… oh gods."

 

Jake slid another finger inside her. Her essence now coated his palm, easing their slide as he moved them in and out, twisting slightly. He knew how good she'd feel wrapped around his cock, his own lust at dangerous levels now. Manon eagerly took what he offered, hips moving to meet his palm as she chased her pleasure. His thumb began a slow rotation around her clit, grazing it with every pull of his fingers and lifting away as he pushed them back in, spinning her higher but not allowing her to fall yet. Her hands grasped his forearm, keeping his hand between his legs as though she feared he'd slip away. 

 

He looked in the mirror and the sight of Manon almost knocked him over. The front of her dress had rucked up, baring her to his greedy eyes, and he drank in the beauty of her coming apart at the seams. Her mouth was slack as she panted and mewled each time he pressed on her clit, his hand soaked enough that he pushed a third finger inside her quickly. She hissed at the invasion, her inner walls fluttering around his hand, warning him she was close. Her full weight was leaned against him now, and her legs shook. Male pride at it being his doing made him hum in satisfaction. He wondered how many people saw Manon this way, undone and unguarded. Not many, if any, he thought possessively. Her hips moved erratically as he crooked his fingers inside her, searching for that sweet spot he knew would send her flying. 

 

He felt her tighten around his fingers as he pushed her to that edge, deliberately rubbing that bundle of nerves to push her over. Her nails cut into the muscle of his arm as she clung to him, shameless moans leaking from her open mouth. He squeezed her throat a bit harder, knew that was the trigger, and she tensed in his arms, head flung back as her mouth opened. He grabbed her chin, crashing his mouth to hers to swallow her cries as she shattered. Her cunt held his hand inside her, inner walls squeezing his fingers as she let go. Her face was slick was sweat as he slipped his tongue into her mouth, sliding against hers in an erotic kiss. Manon's trembling hands grasped at his jaw as she opened her mouth wider to his assault. He was still stroking her lightly between her legs, feeling her jolt every now and again in his arms. He'd be happy if this was all she'd give him tonight, but Manon wasn't sated.

 

She broke their kiss, hands pulling away from him with a wicked grin, and he knew he was fucked. She didn't move away as she lifted the dress over her head, revealing her to him. She hadn't even worn a bra, and the thought was almost enough to make him come. She'd planned to do this. From the look in her green eyes, he knew that was true, and he met that look with one of his own, one that raised her challenge as he raked his eyes down her lithe body. Curves and toned muscle, every part of her was designed only for him. She was his for the taking.

 

"Are you just going to stare at me, Jake, or are you going to do something about the mess you’ve made of me?"

 

Jake gave her a slanted smile, dark promise in his eyes as he watched her skim her hands over her breasts, squeezing and fondling herself while he looked on. She knew it would drive him insane. He moved to grab her, but she pressed a hand to his chest, stopping him.

 

"Nope, clothes off, or you don't get to touch."

 

He gave a pained groan as her fingers circled her nipple, twisting and pulling the pebbled flesh. Her rosebud mouth fell open with a gasp, and he moved faster than he'd ever done. He stripped out of his jeans and practically ripped his shirt off before caging her against the vanity, his hands braced at either side of her hips as she tilted her head back to meet his eye. Her hands fell from her chest, one wrapped around his neck to pull him into a scorching kiss, the other wrapping around the length of him, gently squeezing and stroking him root to tip as he plundered her mouth. Manon swallowed his groans and smiled against his lips, he was too riled up to let her keep touching him. He wanted to explode inside her. He grasped her hips, and her hand fell away from his cock when he lifted her ass onto the vanity and parted her thighs with a knee. He settled between them before he broke the kiss and waited for her eyes to open.

 

"You sure this is okay? Is this what you want, Manon?"

 

She only smiled, her hot hand wrapping around him once more and angling her hips, positioning him to enter her and kissing him as he thrust inside her. Both of them sighed in relief as he bottomed out. She was so soaked he had no problem seating himself to the hilt, her silken heat making him moan into her mouth. She bit his bottom lip and wrapped her legs around his waist, trapping him, and he slid his hands to her ass to lift her up, thrusting back into her harshly. She cried out, head lolling as he fucked her hard enough that her teeth rattled, nails clawing at his shoulders as she moved with him. 

 

He buried his face in her neck, feeling her frantic pulse under his mouth, the scent of her pure sex now, and he bit down, marking the clean skin with a matching bite to the other side. She was a storm in his arms, the sounds coming from her inhuman, and he grinned as he pulled almost all the way out before slamming back in. Again. Again. They were fighting for breath, keening, and moaning together, no longer caring if they woke the house. Manon's voice was a song in his ear as she urged him on, telling him how good he felt, how he'd ruined her, and how she'd gladly burn for him. He replied in kind, telling her he loved her without actually saying the words, knew she understood when she bit down on his shoulder and tightened her walls around his cock.

 

"So close, please, Jake. I need more."

 

Jake growled and took her mouth in a savage kiss, his movements slowing as he set her down on the counter, pulling out of her, both crying out in loss, but he pulled away from her sinful mouth.

 

"Stand and face the mirror, bend over for me and watch me fuck you."

 

Manon did as he asked, groaning as she lifted her ass in the air, her heady gaze in the mirror turning him on to dizzying heights. He smoothed a hand over the curve of her ass and tried to calm his breathing, ignoring the heat flaring down his spine. He met her eye in the mirror as he gathered her hair in his hand, pulling it until she arched back into him before he sheathed himself inside her once more. She gave a choked moan as her eyes screwed shut, and he bent to kiss her back before tugging on her hair and thrusting viciously into her. He could only stare at his cock disappearing inside her, marveling at how perfect they were together, how well she fit him. Manon's eyes were trained on him in the mirror. Following his order to watch, he felt her flutter around his length and knew she didn't need much more. He knew how to send her over. He leaned forward to growl in her ear.

 

"Come for me, Manon."

 

Her walls contracted around his cock as his words sunk in, her trembling hand falling between her legs, and he felt her graze him as she touched herself. He lost all rhythm, hips snapping ruthlessly as his stomach tightened and his heart kicked up as the pressure built up, desperately forcing it back so he could let go with her. He'd never seen anything more beautiful than Manon right now. Sweat trickled down her temple as her mouth worked but nothing came out, past being able to make a sound now. She was close. He was holding back for her. He let go of her hip, his hand gliding up the plane of her stomach, cupping her breast, thumb, and forefinger rolling her nipple, and pinching. Her cunt was like a vice around him as he slammed into her. She came a moment before he did, and he sobbed in relief as the pressure finally released. Manon's legs finally gave out, and she shivered and shook in his arms as his vision turned to static and his mind emptied of all coherent thought. He fell forward, draping over her back, murmuring nonsense words as she came back down, her whole body trembling and their hearts pounding. 

 

Once he'd helped her clean up and taken care of himself, they'd somehow made it to their bed though he couldn't explain how. He felt drained and content as she snored softly against his chest, her moonlight hair a tangled mess. Sleep found him quickly, and he sank into it happily, a smile on his lips and his arms around his love. It was all he needed or wanted.

Notes:

Thank you so much for reading and for the lovely comments on the last chapter, I treasure each one, and you make my day!

My favorite thing to write about is the romance between Jake and Manon. It’s just effortless and fun! I enjoyed writing them having a night off and feeling safe enough to do so!

Now, I know I said this would be wrapped up within ten chapters, but I know myself and know that I’ll probably not stick to that lol. However, since Everybyte have been teasing their new game, I’ve been playing with an idea for a sequel so Manon and Jake can move on to their joint ventures with a new case, and I can write the part that comes after the epilogue for this story. Yes, I’ve already written that lol. It’s still in the planning in my head stage though but it’s there and getting louder lol

Chapter 21: With our eyes wide open and the doors all closing, surrender to your heart, remember who you are

Summary:

Thursday!

The morning/afternoon after the night before! Manon receives some disturbing news. She interrogates some of her friends and tries to catch the attention of a person named Darkness. A few setbacks fray her already transparent patience.

Notes:

I took a little break for Christmas, and now I'm back!

Thank you for the love and support on the last chapter. It was a beast. I had to take a break after that one, haha!

Okay, slight trigger warning for this chapter. There is a passing mention of sexual assault. As in the term, not the actual act of it. Nothing descriptive or anything like that. It's a call between Manon and Alan about Amy's autopsy. I just wanted to warn you.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“In a house on fire

Now we're climbing higher

Escaping in the dark

Remember who we are

And the roof is caving

But I'll hide you safely

I'll hold you in my arms

Remember who we are

 

Running down the halls

We're writing on the walls

We never letting go

 

Let my eyes be the rhythm

Let my mind be your freedom

You can take it all

Let my heart be your shelter

Let these bones be the giver

Let this soul be your whisper

You can take it all, you can take it all

 

Let my heart be your shelter

 

Shelter – Machineheart

******

 

 

 

 

 

 

Manon

 

 

 

Her phone was ringing. The piercing sound of the ringtone ricocheted through her skull and sliced into her brain. Her eyes seemed glued together. She felt as if she were underwater and hadn’t drunk anything but acid. Jake was stirring, the hand at her hip clenched and relaxed as she tried to clear the haze of last night’s overindulgence. The phone stopped ringing, and she whimpered in relief, but it soon began again. She muttered an oath and clumsily untangled herself from Jake to snatch the phone off the nightstand. She assumed Jake must’ve put it there to charge because she was so exhausted after their time in the bathroom that she barely remembered getting into bed. 

 

She swiped blindly at the phone and put it to her ear, slumping back down to reply.

 

“Hello?” She said, voice rough and thick.

 

A sigh, a familiar one, “Good afternoon, Ms Corvin. I thought you’d want to hear what the coroner found.” Alan Bloomgate drolled, and she could hear the subtle sound of him typing on his computer. Afternoon? What time was it? She pulled the phone away from her ear and glanced at the time. Manon sat bolt upright, and the feeling of being late for school shot through her like lightning. Jake reacted to her sudden panic and jolted, frowning deeply at her as she silently told him she was okay.

 

“Sorry, late night. What’s happened?” She asked. She felt as if someone had replaced her brain cells with wasps. They were buzzing insistently and kept bumping into her skull.

 

Alan yawned. She doubted he’d slept last night. 

 

“We have established the cause of death for Amy Bell Lewis.” 

 

That cleared the hangover long enough for curiosity to bloom.

 

“And?”

 

“And… he found traces of Zolpidem, better known as Ambien, in her system. It’s a sleeping drug usually prescribed for insomnia. She was drugged and, unfortunately, was allergic to the drug. She died due to anaphylactic shock and was dumped where we found her.”

 

Manon pressed her palm to her forehead and wanted to scream. Jake was rubbing a hand down her bare back to calm her, and she leaned into it, gathering herself before replying.

 

“I see. Is there any sign that she took the pills herself? That she meant to take her own life?” 

 

Alan hummed, then denied, “I think we can rule that out given the other evidence the coroner found.”

 

She wanted to scratch her nails down his face for dragging it out and making her beg for scraps. 

 

“Tell me.” She demanded voice clipped.

 

“Ligature burns on the wrists and ankles, tape residue on her mouth and eyes. We also found a thread between her teeth that indicates she’d had something forced into her mouth before it was taped.” Alan said, sounding resigned and angry.

 

She rubbed at her eyes and sighed deeply, shoulders curving inward as she imagined Amy’s terror.

 

“Christ. No sign of anything else?” There was a tone to her voice that eluded to one of the main things women feared while simply living their lives. She’d worked with sexual assault victims in the past, and she dearly hoped their culprit wasn’t putting Hannah through that. 

 

“That’s the only good news we got. The forensic exam came back clean. No signs of trauma to indicate she was intimately assaulted.” Alan confirmed, and Manon let out the breath she was holding. Relief and sorrow settled in her stomach, confusing and sickening. 

 

“Okay, that’s… not good, but better than I hoped. So it was an accident?”

 

“I believe so, but if he went to the trouble of kidnapping her, I’d assume the outcome would’ve been the same if she hadn’t succumbed to the drug she was given.” 

 

Manon nodded, “Thank you, I appreciate you letting me know. Have you had a chance to look over the photos I gave you?” 

 

“I haven’t. I have set aside time to do so tomorrow. Today… won’t be a good day. I am meeting with Amy’s parents.”

 

Manon swallowed dryly and tried to force back her irritation at his reluctance. 

 

“Make sure you do that. We must discuss them. I’d like for you to give my number to Amy’s parents. I think I should speak with them soon.”

 

Alan huffed a frustrated breath but conceded. 

 

“Fine. I’ll keep you appraised when I can. I expect the same in return, Corvin.”

 

She didn’t bother replying and hung up, flinging the phone to the bottom of the bed as she sank back down. Jake’s eyes were closed, but his hand drew mindless patterns on her hip.

 

“Amy’s death was an accident. Bad reaction to a sleeping pill our kidnapper gave her.”

 

Jake murmured something intelligible before clearing his throat.

 

“I heard the part where he confirmed it wasn’t suicide or self-inflicted. How is he getting the drugs?”

 

Manon thought it over, “I think it’s time we track down that therapist Hannah was seeing. Dr Barret.”

 

Jake hummed and drew her closer, nosing at her neck as though breathing her in.

 

“I think you’re right. It can wait a bit longer.” He murmured, and his hand began to travel over her stomach. She wanted nothing more than a repeat of last night but was all too aware of the time and the fact that the house was silent. Everyone else was still asleep.

 

“It can, but we have to get up. It’s almost 1 pm.” She said and chuckled when Jake jumped and slid free of her, almost collapsing to the floor when his feet got tangled in the sheets. She couldn’t help herself and laughed at his startled face. 

 

He got free of the sheets and stood gloriously naked. Her hands, teeth and eyes had mapped out every part of him. He was beautiful, and she couldn’t believe he was real. 

 

“Why didn’t we set alarms? That’s a whole day wasted.” He breathed.

 

She calmed herself and followed his lead, getting out of bed to slip on her fluffy pyjamas. She wanted comfort today, she was feeling fragile, and the heavy ache between her thighs sent a thrill through her as it conjured the memory of them last night.

 

“I don’t think that was on our minds last night, Jake.” She winked once she was covered and reached into her nightstand for a hair tie, gathering her messy hair into a loose bun on the top of her head.

 

“No, it definitely wasn’t.” He muttered and eyed her a bit warily.

 

She frowned, “What’s wrong? You have that kicked puppy look again?”

 

He looked off to the side, and she saw his throat bob as he swallowed hard.

 

“You don’t regret it?” He all but whispered, and she was immediately on the defensive. 

 

“Why would I?” 

 

Jake wouldn’t meet her eye, and now she was anxious. Had she said something she shouldn’t have? No, she remembered it all. She wasn’t drunk when they returned and thought he’d known that.

 

“I can’t help but worry I took advantage. You didn’t seem drunk, but I was sober.” He explained, and she felt her predictable anger fizzle out to nothing. 

 

“Jake, the last thing you need to worry about is taking advantage of me. I knew what I wanted, and you ensured I was okay before going into it. I wasn’t drunk. You have nothing to worry about.” She went to him and wrapped her arms around his waist, tilting her head back to smile at him. 

 

He seemed to deflate and nodded, “I didn’t hurt you?” 

 

Her heart twisted. He was too pure for this world.

 

“Only in the way I like.” She purred, deciding flirting was the way to soothe him. 

 

He smirked, and she loosed a breath, happy to see it.

 

“That’s alright then.” He said and folded her into a hug that warmed her to her marrow. She was too aware of his nudity and knew they’d spend the day locked in here, lost in their bubble if she didn’t leave now. They couldn’t afford it anymore, and it killed her to peel herself away. 

 

“Now that’s out of the way. Wanna make breakfast before the kids wake up?” She teased, and he chuckled, affectionately rolling his eyes.

 

“I suppose so,” Jake affirmed and moved away to throw on his grey joggers and a white T-shirt. 

 

He was still far too distracting, but she led the way downstairs and into the kitchen once they’d brushed their teeth. 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“Christ on a trampoline, Nonbon. Could you be any louder?” Dan moaned when he shuffled into the kitchen once they were almost done with the cooking. He was wobbling precariously, and she urged him to sit down before he broke something else.

 

“It’s past 2 pm now. I had to get you up somehow.” Manon sang and helped Jake plate the pancakes and bacon. The syrup was already on the table, and she’d heard doors closing upstairs, so the others would be down soon. The coffee had been brewed strong, and she had a bottle of aspirin on the table for her sore-headed friends.

 

“Shit. Some night though.” Dan said and scratched at his hair.

 

He’d been snoring when they’d first come down. He’d passed out on his front, one arm dangling onto the floor as each snore shook through the house. It sounded like someone constantly trying to start a chainsaw that didn’t want to work. His wheelchair lay on its side, and she’d smothered a laugh at the sight of it.

 

“It was fun.” Manon smiled and began to carry the plates through to the dining table. 

 

“I wonder how Jessy’s feeling. She always gets the worst hangovers.” Dan laughed when Manon came back, spying Jessy as she walked towards them. She looked like death warmed up after a night in the ground. There was a slight green tinge to her face, and Manon silently handed her a coffee and the aspirin. Forcing back a smile when she swallowed three and half the coffee before speaking. 

 

“Jessy is contemplating ending her suffering and never drinking again. What the fuck did I drink last night?” She moaned and followed them through with the last of the plates as the rest of their friends followed the scent of the food.

 

“Everything you could get your hands on. Seriously, you stole my drink twice.” Dan answered Jessy’s question, and Manon snorted. 

 

“Oh, yeah. My bad,” Jessy said.

 

“At least you didn’t have to deal with her when she crawled into my bed because she got lost coming back from the bathroom.” Cleo joked.

 

“How did she even open the door? You locked it.” Jake said quietly, and Cleo shook her head as she had no answer. 

 

“I got up to throw up. I must not have locked it when I got back.” Lilly piped up, looking rather delicate as she poked at her food, seemingly gearing herself up to eat them. 

 

“Sorry, it was dark, and I couldn’t be arsed getting back up once I realised where I was.” Jessy giggled and shoved a large chunk of her pancakes into her mouth. 

 

“You don’t shut up, even in your sleep.” Cleo laughed and dug into her food. Only she, Manon and Jake seemed okay that day. Manon’s hangover had lifted once the second coffee and aspirin had kicked in. 

 

“I know. I used to creep Phil out with that.” Jessy said once she’d swallowed and taken a sip of coffee. 

 

The conversation went black and forth as they are, the pancakes quickly soaking up the alcohol still in their systems and everyone looked a bit more human once done. Cleo and Thomas offered to clear the table and do the dishes since they’d made breakfast. Manon happily agreed and watched Thomas follow behind Cleo. He’d remained silent as they ate, and she knew he was feeling guilty about enjoying himself while Hannah was still held captive. That was the thing, though. They had to steal these moments of joy and levity when they could. It was all that would keep them going as things turned darker. She knew it better than most. Jake was learning too. But guilt had a way of burrowing into every moment, laying its suffocating weight over a body until it could barely move through it. Every interaction was tempered by that guilt, some atonement had to be made for enjoying himself while his love suffered, and she knew he’d struggle with it. Would it help him do better or set him on a path to self-destruction as he tried to save her at all costs? Manon didn’t know, and she dreaded finding out.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“Nonbon. Wouldn’t I have mentioned it if I knew Richy had known Amy?” Dan slapped his hands on his thighs in emphasis, and Manon inclined her head.

 

“I don’t know, Dan. We all have our secrets. Richy appears to be as elusive as Hannah. None of you truly knew either of them.” Manon said and sighed.

 

Dan looked affronted, but it quickly cleared, and he nodded.

 

“I remember telling you something similar about Richy. He always had a smile or a joke to give, but even Jessy didn’t know much about him other than what he allowed her to see. He hid everything bad from everyone, not just us.”

 

“And none of you ever questioned it?” She asked.

 

Dan shook his head, “Nah. He’s always been like that. You only question things when someone changes. He never did.” 

 

Manon arched a brow, impressed and validated by the fact Dan saw and had more emotional intelligence than anyone would ever assume. 

 

“I get it. What about Hannah? Ever notice anything strange about her over the years?” 

 

Dan thought it over, completely at ease with being questioned despite her surprising him with it. Jake was listening from downstairs while the others had gone out on a walk to clear their heads. 

 

“She… Hannah was very private. We never really spoke too deeply. I’m a hard person to get to know.” He shrugged and gave her an easy-going smile.

 

“So was Hannah,” Manon heaved a sigh and clasped her hands on her desk, “How is it possible nobody knew her? You’ve all been friends for years.” 

 

“Well, Nonbon, we hardly know you, and we’ve adopted you just fine. Even the Hacker has managed to gain some allies.” Dan joked, and Manon smiled.

 

“True. Is there anything you can tell me? That I don’t already know?” She asked. 

 

“I’m afraid not. You’d be better off speaking to Cleo and Thomas. Out of all of us, they knew her best.” 

 

Manon nodded, “I will. Thanks, Dan.”

 

Dan grinned, “Am I free to go, officer?”

 

Manon chuckled, “You’re free, Dan. I won’t arrest you… this time.” She teased and was rewarded with a dry laugh.

 

“Thank fuck. I feel like I failed a test, but I honestly knew Hannah and Richy the least.” Dan said.

 

“It’s fine. I started with you because I knew you wouldn’t have much to give me.” She said and stood to help him leave.

 

Once she’d helped him back downstairs, she went to find Jake. He had hidden away on the back porch, frowning at his phone and looking a bit annoyed. She went to him while Dan hunted for snacks. She’d have to make a run to the store soon. They were running low on supplies now. Jake glanced up the second she opened the door and graced her with a soft smile that she couldn’t help but return. He looked younger under the light of the sun. His raven hair was tousled and messy, making her long to card her fingers through it. His indigo eyes sparkled and were full of warmth, so unlike his father’s. 

 

“You okay?” She asked once she’d plopped down in the chair beside him. She ran a hand through her hair and tilted her face to the sun, enjoying the heat on her bare skin after being stuck inside all day.

 

“I am, are you? That must’ve been frustrating.” He murmured and draped an arm around her shoulders, rubbing her bare shoulder with his thumb. 

 

“Mmm, it was, but I already knew he’d have nothing to add.”

 

He made a sound of agreement and locked his phone, placing it face down on the glass table before replying. 

 

“Who’s next then?” 

 

“Cleo. Then Thomas. I do think it’s a waste of time, but if there’s any chance they knew about Amy and Hannah being friends, I have to do it.” She said and rested her head on his shoulder.

 

“And if one of them did?” 

 

She drew in a deep breath and clenched her fists. The feeling of betrayal lingered heavily in her mind, and she was beginning to think the cold slice of a blade in her back was inevitable.

 

“Then I’ll deal with it. Hopefully, they’re not that stupid.” 

 

Jake chuckled and pressed a kiss to the top of her head. 

 

“Is it bad that I kind of hope one of them does know so I can watch you ‘deal with’ them?” 

 

She snorted a laugh, “We all have our kinks.” 

 

She got another chuckle and a kiss for that and felt very proud of herself. They chatted about random things to avoid going back inside. As dusk painted the sky brilliant shades of pink, purple and burnt orange they decided to head back in to try and coax this Darkness person out on the online forum. She’d had no luck as of yet, and they’d decided to make their own post asking about the Man Without a Face. Hoping they’d catch more with a new post than commenting on a dead one. Back in their bedroom, he read over her shoulder as she participated in random threads to build a history on the site. She’d long since learned that people on those forums didn’t trust a completely new account with no comments or post history, so she gave her eye colour to a supposed psychic to have her predict Manon’s future. The psychic hadn’t replied yet, so she began commenting on others and interacting with random users. 

 

It was the dullest part of this job. Waiting. She hated to wait. Despised it, actually. Some of her life’s worst times had involved waiting for the other shoe to fall, and then everything usually went to hell in a handbasket. Patience was not her virtue, and her feet and legs itched with the urge to move, chase down leads and actually do something other than sit behind a screen or question the same people repeatedly. It was draining and tiresome, but it was better than running for their lives, so she couldn’t be too mad. Jake seemed to understand how she was feeling and kept telling her she was doing plenty and she couldn’t rush in blindly. She knew that, but it didn’t stop her from feeling useless and as if her wings had been clipped. 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“I’m sorry, Manon. I honestly never knew they were friends. Amy didn’t seem to have any, and Hannah never mentioned her.” Cleo said sincerely, and Manon couldn’t stop her face from falling.

 

“It’s fine, Cleo. Thank you anyway.” She shrugged, annoyed but trying not to take it out on her friend.

 

She walked Cleo to the bedroom door and thanked her again before closing the door and throwing herself face down on the bed. She buried her face in her pillow and screamed until she ran out of breath, the muffled sound full of frustration and anger. Feeling a bit better, she rolled onto her back and closed her eyes, listening to a familiar pair of footsteps climbing the stairs. The door opened, but she didn’t open her eyes, not even when Jake lay down beside her and wrapped an arm around her waist, tugging her onto her side to face him. She blinked her eyes open and didn’t bother to hide the defeated look she knew was shadowing her eyes.

 

“That bad, huh?” He murmured, and she knew he’d heard her, had forgotten her phone was in her bra so he could hear what Cleo said.

 

She huffed a breath, “Nothing. That’s what they know about their “best friends”. Absolutely fuck all.”

 

“Maybe they weren’t as close as they think they were. Hannah might be Cleo’s best friend. She might not be Hannah’s.” He suggested.

 

“It’s definitely possible. The secret she carried would keep her from getting close to anyone. That night dictated her every action and relationship. She couldn’t possibly live a normal life after that.”

 

Jake smiled softly, nodding, “Why don’t we focus on something more tangible?”

 

She arched a brow, intrigued despite her melancholy, “Like...”

 

“Hannah’s phone. Let’s see if you can guess the code.” He smirked, and she chuckled, giving into the need to kiss him before sitting up and sliding open her nightstand drawer to retrieve Hannah’s phone. Her mouth twisted as the screen lit up, and the face ID rejected. The keypad quickly popped up, asking for the PIN.

 

“You could try a few combinations, but if it locks up, you’ll have to wait on me,” Jake said.

 

“How many tries do I get?”

 

Jake shrugged, “Usually three.”

 

“And if I don’t get it right, will it make it harder for you to break in?” She asked.

 

“No. Try it. I hate the tediousness of breaking into someone’s phone, and it takes a while to get into everything.”

 

“Ah yes, you far prefer taking down the other hackers using their powers for evil.” She joked, and he laughed, a lovely, rich sound that she loved.

 

“Only when I have to.” He said with a smirk, and she loved the show of confidence. It was the reason she preferred to spend her time naked and tangled up with him.

 

“Okay, I’m going to try something. If I get it right the first time, you owe me a favour of my choosing.” She teased and thought over the numbers she wanted to put in. Lilly had told her her mum’s birthday earlier when she’d asked what Hannah’s code might be, so she tried that first. Fail. She groaned, and Jake chuckled.

 

“If you manage to guess it, you can have as many favours as you wish, Manon.” He promised, and she gave a satisfied little nod.

 

Jake watched her silently as she thought over her options. She could ask her other friends but very much doubted they’d know when Hannah was a mystery to even them. People tended to use important dates; an anniversary, birthdays, and special dates... It was perfect. An event that changed her life and not for the better. It was morbid and reeked of guilt, but she’d be laughing if it worked. Resolute now, Manon typed in the date of Jennifer’s death. Fail. She ground her teeth, and her hand twitched with the urge to throw the phone at the wall. She only had one more chance, and Jake didn’t offer any ideas. Her heart beat dully in her chest, and a sour taste lingered in her mouth as she ignored the sudden desire to lock herself in the bathroom until she could throw off the shame of another defeat. Jake was rubbing her shoulder, attempting to relax her.

 

“It was a long shot, Manon. Leave it for me.” He said and kissed her temple.

 

It hit her like a blow, and she felt like a prize idiot for not thinking of it earlier.

 

“Okay, I’m trying your birthday now.”

 

His hand stilled, and he frowned when she met his eye, “Why mine?”

 

Manon laughed. Men could be so oblivious to the intricacies of the hearts they left tattered and frayed.

 

“Do you remember your first love, Jake?” She asked, trying not to show how desperate she was to know who he’d left haunted before her.

 

“I do. She was in my homeroom, Clarissa Turner. Funnily enough, she was a blond too.” He chuckled.

 

“And do you still remember her birthday?” She prodded with a smile to show she was playing, not interrogating.

 

“I remember the month, not the day.” He admitted, and she laughed.

 

“Hmm, well, I remember mine. His name was Mark Thompson and his birthday was July 19th!”

 

Jake crossed his arms and chewed on his lip.

 

“And why did you ask me that?”

 

“Because a girl never forgets her first love. You had to stop speaking to Hannah because she fell for you, she has good taste, but she still doesn’t know you’re related. There is every chance that she’s used your birthday as her passcode like I used to use Mark’s as my locker combination. Did she know it?”

 

Jake nodded, “She did. I told her a lot of things about me. This was long before I had to hide who I was.”

 

She could see he wasn’t convinced, so she put the numbers in and held her breath as it unlocked, turning to Jake with a triumphant grin.

 

“There. Now you have to do whatever I want.” She crooned and laughed at his outraged face.

 

“I can’t believe that worked.” He sounded and looked dumbstruck. She could only giggle.

 

“I told you. We never forget.” She said once she’d calmed down.

 

He was still shaking his head, and she knew he still felt weird about Hannah. It would be difficult to navigate when they found her.

 

“But she found Thomas. I thought it would be his if anyone’s.” He said quietly and sat down beside her.

 

“Yes, but she probably thinks of you when something reminds her of you. I still think of my mom whenever I smell Chanel No.5 despite the fact that I never really knew her.”

 

That didn’t seem to appease him, so she crawled into his lap to distract him.

 

“Look, you didn’t know she’d fall for you. Gods, I didn’t think I would. You were all creepy and shit, asking me if I enjoyed reading other people’s private messages. Gotta say, Jake, your game needs some work.” She teased to chase away the guilt and shame she could see in his sapphire eyes.

 

His lips quirked, a small secret smile and a flash of heat in his eyes underscored his words.

 

“It worked, though, didn’t it? Now I have you at my mercy, and I know exactly how to make you melt,” he kissed the corner of her mouth, lips dragging across her jaw to her ear as he whispered, his hot breath down her neck, the scrape of his beard, all of it making her shiver, “I know how to make you beg and plead,” she whimpered when he nipped her earlobe, tugging slightly before humming and mouthing a trail of fire down the column of her neck as he spoke his final words into her hammering pulse, “and I know you’re already wet, if I were to touch you, I could have you screaming my name in under 30 seconds, Manon.”

 

Gods, how did he do that? It wasn’t fair, and she was already riled. His mouth settled over her pulse, and she jerked as he bit down, sucking the sensitive skin into his mouth to mark her for all to see. She was reaching for his belt buckle when Hannah’s phone rang. She wanted to cry when Jake sighed and pulled away, eyes glittering with delight at her put out expression. She was going to yell at whoever was calling until she saw the screen, an unknown number, and her stomach sank into her socks. All warmth fled from her body.

 

 “It’s Hanson.” She said before answering the phone, listening as he breathed through the voice changer.

 

“You’re going to regret coming to my home and stealing from me, Manon.”

 

“Hi, Michael. How are you? I heard you had yourself a little bonfire. Shame we couldn’t stay for the smores and ghost stories.” She said, voice low and vicious.

 

“Funny. You won’t be laughing for much longer. I’ll see you and your friends soon. Sleep well.”

 

The line went dead, and she laughed at the ridiculousness of it all. It was like she was in a really bad movie where all the bad guys shared the same handbook and recycled the same tired phrases that no longer instilled fear, only ridicule. Jake was disturbingly silent, but she felt a little of her old excitement return. She was so fucking close, and he knew it. He was desperate, and it would cause him to mess up at some point. Manon would be there when he did, and she couldn’t wait.

Notes:

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas if you celebrate. I also want to wish you good fortune and health in the New Year when it comes!

Thank you for everything this year! You’ve made this such a happy place and I feel proud of myself for the first time.

Hannah's pin being Jake's birthday has been my headcanon for so fucking long. I toyed with going the games route and having Jake do it, but he's going to be very busy once Alan checks that USB!

If you fancy leaving a comment, please do! It keeps me motivated lol I have been working on a new story. Another Duskwood JakexOFMC. I'm really excited about it, but I'm still planning and drafting. It'll be a new story with a new FMC. I can't get these characters out of my head.

Chapter 22: I think there's been a glitch, five seconds later, I'm fastening myself to you with a stitch

Summary:

Friday. Trip into town and online sleuthing! Essentially just porn at the end and a bit of plot before it.

Some new discoveries are made and pieces of the puzzle start to make sense, the big picture is slowly coming together.

Notes:

I hope you had a wonderful New Year, and thank you so much for reading and commenting most of last year. It's the best form of payment.

 

Last year was such a great year despite the awful personal shit happening in my life, this fic gave me an escape and I'm so grateful people still care about it. I hope to see you again when I start posting the new one!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

col

 

I was supposed to sweat you out
In search of glorious happenings of happenstance in someone else's playground

But it's been two thousand one hundred and ninety days 
of our love blackout

The system's breaking down

I think there's been a glitch

Five seconds later,  I'm fastening myself to you with a stitch

And I'm not even sorry

Nights are so starry

Blood moonlit

It must be counterfeit

I think there's been a glitch


A brief introduction

A slight malfunction

I'd go back to wanting dudes who give nothing

I thought we had no chance

And that's romance

Let's dance”

 

Glitch – Taylor Switch

******

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Manon

 

The car tires made their monotonous hiss over the rain-drenched road into Duskwood. The sun wore a thick veil of silver; for all they knew, it hadn't even risen that morning. A misty cocoon swirled over the tops of the trees that hugged them closely on either side of the car windows. A dreary and miserable day by all counts, and Manon's mood was distinctly apathetic in retaliation to the weather after the glorious sunshine they'd enjoyed the days before. Jake lounged in the passenger side, more relaxed than the last time she'd sped down this road with him riding shotgun. His hand flexed on her thigh every time she took a corner at a clip, but he seemed to trust her not to kill them now. They'd escaped the house without being seen, the others still asleep as they raced away. 

 

Music played quietly to drown out the sound of the wind buffeting them on all sides, trying and failing to stop them from entering the cursed town of Duskwood. She slowed as the town sign approached them and then fell behind, not wishing to be caught speeding before they could begin checking things off their list. Water beaded and ran down the windshield in tiny rivers that her wipers scrambled to keep up with as she pulled into the grocery store's parking lot. There were a handful of other cars, even at this early hour. She parked the car, glanced at Jake, and smiled at what she found, sure she’d always appreciate the gorgeous man by her side.

 

His hair was in dire need of cut now, the raven strands flopped lazily over his forehead, and her fingers tingled with the urge to push it back. It was unfair how pretty he was so early in the morning. Not one feature made him handsome to her, though his eyes could convince her to do a number of illegal and deadly things. The color was so startlingly blue that it was a shock to the system every time they met with hers. But it wasn't the color that made them so incredibly beautiful. They would've been beautiful in any shade. The intensity and honesty, a softness in how he looked at her, made them a work of living art. He had every reason not to be gentle, yet he chose to be such every day to spite the hand life had dealt him. What made him handsome came from deep within, a light so bright that even years of sheltering in the shadows couldn't dim. She knew how his lips felt in a kiss, tender or harsh, how his hands felt as they traveled over her curves and made themselves at home on or inside her body. In the silver light of the early morning, he could knock the breath from her lungs.

 

He caught her staring and, gave her a small smile, a nod, and unbuckled his seatbelt before exiting the car and running around the front to open her door before she'd managed to shrug off her own belt. They walked, hand in hand, under the diffused light of the cloud-laden sky, and each grabbed a cart before strolling through the automatic doors. Fluorescent lights overhead threw everything into stark relief and she blinked a few times as it stung her eyes. They began gathering the supplies they needed to feed and house too many people. She made sure Jake got things he wanted and would eat, he had a habit of ignoring his body's needs when he got too busy, and she worried it would catch up to him. They playfully bickered and joked as they made their rounds, the other shoppers giving them tired, polite smiles each time they passed them.

 

As they turned into the freezer section, Manon spotted a man she'd been catching glimpses of at the end of every aisle they turned into. She noticed he immediately looked away when they made eye contact, but she couldn't tell if she knew him. He was older than them but not elderly, maybe in his late 50s or early 60s. Finger-raked grey hair crowned his drawn face. His heavy brows pinched in the middle as the store's lighting gave his complexion a sickly pallor. He wore a black hoody that was obviously old; patches of an old logo were still visible, but it was impossible to make it out. His baggy black cargo pants swallowed his legs as he ambled through the store, hunched low over his cart. He looked like he was suffering from some illness. Jake didn't appear to notice him, so she brushed it off and continued packing too much food in the cart.

 

They were in the drinks aisle when her phone buzzed.

 

Steve: Case is done. The director is considering sending someone to work with you. Thought you'd want to know. I can put my name in the ring for it.

 

Manon: What is he playing at? I told him to stay away until I needed him.

 

Anger began to bubble up like steam, burning her inside as it tried to escape and scald those around her. She had known Christopher would try to test her, just not yet. Still, she'd prefer it to be Steve if it had to be anyone. She was loathe to drag him from his family, though. Jake had drifted to the opposite end of the aisle as she read Steve's reply.

 

Steve: I know. It's a power play. You know him. It's not set in stone yet. I'll update you once I know more. 

 

Manon: Okay, you good, though?

 

Steve: Always. You?

 

She grinned, her sudden anger snuffing out like a candle as Jake fell into step with her, his own cart overflowing now. They soon had everything they needed and headed for the only open register. Ahead of them was one person. The man she'd seen earlier. His movements were jerky and he dithered a little as he paid in crumpled bills and said his farewell to the cashier. She wasn’t the same one who’d served them the last time they came here.

 

"See you soon, dear. I hope it all turns out okay." The kindly woman said.

 

The man didn't reply and exited the store as the cashier, Agnes, began to ring them up. She was an older woman, not the kind that has gone brittle and feeble as time caught up with her, but the kind of woman who could command an army if given half the chance. She was small and squat, her blue-rinsed hair perfectly curled and lacquered to a degree Manon thought might repel bullets. Likely styled with foam rollers that she slept in and lovingly brushed out every morning. Her lips were painted a muted pink that matched her blush stained cheeks, her warm honey eyes framed by wispy mascara-coated lashes. She smiled at them and filled them in on the goings on in town. Jake took charge of the conversation since she was busy helping him pack and ruminating over Steve's message. She caught something about graffiti as she loaded heavy bags into the carts, and her ears perked up at the mention of red paint or, as some more fanciful folks had said, blood.

 

"Sorry, what did the graffiti say?" She asked and Jake took over packing the groceries into the large totes she'd brought with them now she was preoccupied.

 

Agnes’ eyes positively shone with glee at being the first to inform them of some fresh town gossip.

 

"Oh, you haven't heard, dear? Someone painted a great, big ugly raven on the side of the Motel."

 

Manon's brain stuttered for a moment. Every part of her went on pause while her thoughts caught up with the enormity of what she'd just learned. She nodded without really taking in Agnes’ suspicion of it being some disgruntled customer of the Motel owner or a result of the local teens not receiving enough discipline at home. She was barely cognizant of her surroundings, her mind a screaming hurricane as she tried to understand why he'd choose the Motel after all this time. Jake handed over his credit card, and she didn't even think to stop him, too lost in her mind and trying to make sense of a madman's motives. Had Richy been forced to share what he knew of their investigation?

 

 

***

 

 

"Fucking hell." She groaned and let her head fall back against the headrest.

 

"Why here? And why now?" Jake asked as he squinted through the windscreen at the massive red raven painted on the side of the Motel that faced the forest.

 

Manon loosed a breath and shrugged before unbuckling her seat belt and wrapping her hand around the door handle.

 

"Why not? It's impossible trying to rationalize a crazy person's actions... I'm going inside to ask around." She muttered and got out of the car, jogging to the front entrance before Jake could get out of his seat.

 

She pushed the door, and it didn't budge, rattling loudly in its frame as her disgruntled face looked back at her in the glass window pane. The interior was in darkness and the lot had been empty when they’d pulled in. She threw her hands up in an 'I give up' gesture and felt a headache start to flare in her temples. Well, she thought, isn't that the way this shit always goes? Every time she turned around, something else materialised to put her in her place and keep her from advancing. It was fast becoming a detriment, and she was sick of it. She ground her teeth as quick footsteps splashing through shallow puddles closed in on her, but she didn't turn, knew it was Jake.

 

"It's closed until Monday. Family emergency, apparently." Jake said, and she swung her gaze to him.

 

"How do you know that?" She asked in a strained tone and crossed her arms, letting out a long, low sigh.

 

Jake watched her too closely, knowingly, and she fisted her hands. The stinging pain of her nails cutting into her palms kept the harsh words he didn't deserve trapped in her throat.

 

"I called the front desk. There's a message to explain."

 

She scoffed, rolling her eyes, "That's convenient, but it doesn't help me with the giant target painted back there, does it? It doesn't help me at all." She snapped in a harsh, overly sarcastic tone as her mounting frustration wiped her thoughts away. She didn't want to take it out on him, but barbed words were pilling up in her mouth, drawing blood, and she had to grit her jaw to keep them inside.

 

He watched her intently, opal eyes taking in the stiff way she held herself and the growing disquiet that caused her to lash out, knowing she would bitterly regret it later. He reached out to brush an errant strand of hair away from her eyes and tucked it behind her ear. She averted her gaze from his piercing one, shifting on her feet and swallowing thickly as she tried to grasp hold of her temper and stuff it down, down, down. Jake sighed and tender-handedly gripped her chin between his thumb and forefinger, gently forcing her to meet his eye. He didn't look pissed or upset with her, and she mentally berated herself for letting things get to her.

 

"Sorry, I didn't... I'm mad at myself, not you." She said, shoulders slumping as he stroked his thumb over her chin.

 

He gave her that smile that flashed a dimple and made her stomach fizz happily. It chased some of her suffocating shame away. 

 

"I know, but there's nothing we can do here until they return. We'll try again once they do." He reassured her, and she chewed on her lip, nodding absentmindedly, and let him pull her into a hug that warmed her through.

 

She accepted the comfort and let the frustration and guilt bleed out of her, determination and certainty taking its place as a memory beckoned in the back of her mind. She drew a deep breath through her nose, Jake's familiar scent a balm to her frazzled nerves. The memory hovered at the edges of her mind, a thread fluttering in the breeze as she pulled back from his chest and cast her eyes over to the forest they'd met in. A wide grin bloomed across her face, and Jake nodded as though satisfied if a little confused at her shift in mood.

 

"What is it?" He asked.

 

She grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the forest, not caring that she was getting soaked through now the rain began to fall in earnest once more.

 

"The Dare House." She said and gave him an impatient look tempered with amusement when he opened his mouth to question her.

 

"What – fuck!" Jake cursed as she broke into a run, and the concrete turned to thick, slick mud that made each step treacherous.

 

They had to dodge low-hanging branches determined to make a mockery of them while contending with thick roots trying to trip and trap them as they ran toward the Dare House. The natural canopy above them let in enough water that the air was ripe with pleasant petrichor as the downpour brought the soil under their pounding feet back to life. Jake didn't try to make sense of her sudden hurry to visit this place, and she was glad. She was too busy running through the details of Hanson's house, recalling the well-oiled hinges in the otherwise derelict building, how they'd triggered a memory she hadn't been able to focus on then. Returning to the Motel, thinking back to where they'd first met, that thread of a memory transformed into a tapestry she hadn't been able to see until she'd viewed it from a distance.

 

The night she'd gone out looking for Jake and found him, she had discovered that the Dare House's door also opened effortlessly and without complaint. It had surprised her then. It shouldn't have been possible since it had lain empty for decades and had become a local attraction people were too afraid to get too close to. She had been too busy luring Jake to her to waste time worrying over it. But someone had been there before them, and somehow, she knew in her bones it had been Hanson. She had to know for sure. Hanson might have kept Amy and possibly Richy there until he could move them to a safer venue. Her heart lightened considerably as they ran down the worn path to the front door. The great, ugly building was not any less sinister in daylight.

 

They skidded to a halt outside the door a thousand fists had dared to knock on, both breathing fast, and Jake was clearly trying not to push her to explain. She quickly looked over the building and felt a chill spread through her limbs, clammy palms trembling. The house had suffered many winters and storms, languished under the scalding sun, and sagged under the weight of winter snow, but still, it stood strong. The wood was a rainbow of colors scarred by time, weather, and wildlife. Manon supposed the house had bore witness to a significant number of illicit deeds and affairs. She only wished it could talk as she reached out and grasped the doorknob, holding her breath as she turned it and gave the door a gentle shove.

 

She wanted to punch the sky and let out a delighted cry when the door made no sound as it swung inward, not even a slight creak or the grind of aged rusted metal, pure silence. She turned to Jake with a smug grin.

 

"At Hanson's house, he'd oiled all the doors so they didn't make a noise. I had a nagging feeling he'd done it elsewhere but obviously couldn't waste time figuring out where. It was here. I believe this is where he took Amy when Alfie saw the Man Without a Face drag her into the woods."

 

Jake cocked a brow, impressed. "Are you sure you don't have an eidetic memory?" He joked, and she gave a fond snort while shaking her head.

 

"I just pay attention. It helps when I need to resort to blackmail." She sassed back and led the way into the house.

 

They both took out their phones and turned on the flashlight. She took the left side, and Jake took the opposite one, scanning the walls and floors for any sign of recent habitation. The beating of the rain thudded dully on the roof above their heads, the wind singing through the cracked and warped slats of wood encasing them on all sides. The ground was filthy and thick with dust and debris from the forest that had blown through the cracks in the walls. She hadn’t really paid attention that night they’d spent here, too absorbed by the pretty man she’d hunted down. She used her feet to carefully shift it around, searching for anything hidden under it. She felt her earlier annoyance begin to rear its ugly head when nothing materialized through her own sheer will when Jake called her name.

 

"Manon, come over here." He said in an unusually grave tone that had her stomach sinking to the filthy floor.

 

She rushed over to find him down on one knee, hands shoving the leaves and dirt away from a patch of floor. Her heart thumped and skipped, blood seeming to freeze in her veins for a moment before rushing straight to her ears when he uncovered a divot in the floor big enough for fingertips to find purchase. He'd found a Goddamned trapdoor. She crouched beside him to help him clear the area and then looked on in shocked silence as he heaved the heavy wood up to reveal a pit of darkness so complete she feared the drop would never end. Her rational mind told her that wasn't possible, but she wouldn't be surprised in this town. She felt Jake looking at her and turned to meet his gaze.

 

"You're going down there, aren't you?" He sighed. She nodded and leaned over to give him a quick kiss on the cheek.

 

He wore a resigned expression, and his jaw could cut glass. Still, he didn't say anything else as Manon swung her legs over the edge of the ledge of the opening and shoved her phone into her jacket pocket. She planted her hands on the ledge opposite where she sat, making sure she had a decent grip on the shelf, and slowly lowered her body into the black hole. She hung there for a moment, willing the tension out of her body, ignoring Jake's concerned eyes, and let go of the ledge before she could talk herself out of it. The drop wasn't that deep and she didn’t have time to panic as she fell through the void of darkness. She landed easily, the balls of her feet absorbing the impact. She immediately took her phone out of her pocket to illuminate her surroundings. She spied an old wooden step ladder leaning against the wall on her left side. She called up to Jake, whom she knew would be biting his nails.

 

"I'm fine. You can come down. There's a ladder here."

 

He didn't hesitate, and he soon stood by her side as she grinned at him, the exasperated look on his comely face one she was certain he reserved just for her.

 

"Looks like you were right." He muttered as she swung her light around.

 

Indeed, against the right wall was a stack of paint tins, drips of blood-red paint had dried down the sides of them all, and a dusty, near empty pack of paintbrushes lay atop the pile. A mess of footprints had been pressed into the dirt floor as though someone had paced and fretted for hours over many days or nights. An earthy aroma hung heavy in the air, along with a mustiness from age and disuse. She could smell a faint whiff of the paint and sour dampness that had invaded the entire structure around and above them. A shovel and a small jute sack had been left lying on the floor ahead of them, and she walked over to inspect it. The shovel was filthy, but the mud caked on it crumbled into fine dust when she scraped a nail over it. It hadn't been used recently. She turned to the bag and sensed Jake approach her back to look over her shoulder as he shone his phone light into the bag. It was empty except for a handful of glossy black feathers.

 

"Why leave this here when he's been so careful with everything else?" she wondered aloud.

 

"Why not?" Jake countered, "The town's superstition ensured nobody would find this place."

 

She hummed, picking up a feather and turning it over in her hand.

 

"Do you think he has a list of town legends he can choose from to hide behind?" She joked to lighten the mood. The air felt heavier here, less alive.

 

Jake chuckled, "Probably. There's a spot over there that looks like someone slept on the floor."

 

She closed the bag and put it back where she'd found it before following Jake to see what he meant. He was right. A spot near the wall was conspicuously free of footprints and was big enough to suggest someone had spent at least a night huddled down there. She shook her head, angry and heavyhearted for Amy and how frightened she must've been. Pushing the thoughts away, for they wouldn't help her now, she focused instead on taking pictures of everything and making notes of what she thought while down there. Before they left, they tried to hide all evidence of their presence. Jake gave her a boost out of the cellar, following behind her after launching himself up to grab the ledge and heave himself out. Neither wanted to leave the stepladder below the trapdoor if Hanson returned. After covering the secret as best they could, they left the Dare House and headed back to the car.

 

 

***

 

 

They'd been back for hours now. Night had already fallen, and she'd spent most of her day on the mystery forum chatting with everyone but Darkness, who remained unreachable. Other people had begun to tag him, though, so she hoped it was simply a matter of time until he couldn’t ignore it, and finally reached out. She knew it would be difficult to entice him to talk, she too would be suspicious of another post regarding this small town legend popping up so soon after the first. She wasted some time reading other posts, noting one about a violent murder a few hundred miles away that had yet to be solved. The psychic had replied to her request to know her future, and she was slightly discomfited at the ominous message. 

 

 

 In your future, I see the golden crown of a king.   
Unfortunately, you are about to be faced with some hard times.   
But you will get through them because you won't face them alone.   
There is a person in your life to whom you are the most important   
This person would kill and die for you, if need be.   
Hopefully, it won't come to such a dramatic end.   
I wish you good fortune, Nymos.   

You're going to need it.   

 

 

Manon decided not to tell Jake about it just yet, though it was futile, and he'd read it for himself soon enough. After they'd arrived back home, he'd helped her put the groceries away before his phone pinged to alert him that Alan had finally used the USB. He bolted upstairs to pull all he could from Alan's computer. He’d also taken Hannah’s phone and planned to see if he could recover anything she might’ve deleted before her kidnapping.

 

She could barely recall what she had eaten or what her friends had talked about during dinner, too distracted with their discoveries earlier. She had downed two glasses of wine and indulged in a long hot shower in her friend's shared bathroom since Jake was using theirs. He'd texted her an hour or so before to ask if she had any scissors sharp enough for cutting hair, and she'd told him to check the duffel in her wardrobe. She assumed he'd found them since he hadn't texted again.

 

She toweled off her hair and finger combed it, staring at but not really seeing her reflection in the steamy mirror as she loosely braided her hair to save her from having to dry it. She wore only her favorite silk robe, intending to go to bed, but she wasn't the least bit tired, and the wine in her system warmed her blood in a way that made her fidgety. She left her towel hanging over the shower screen and exited the bathroom, climbing the stairs to her attic room. She could hear her friends discussing whatever movie Dan had chosen. Good-natured squabbles continuously erupted when it was his turn because he liked to select the goriest movies he could. She had yet to tell them what they'd found in town.

 

Jake was still in the bathroom as she let herself inside their bedroom and locked the door behind her. Her eyes immediately went to the large duffel bag he'd left on the bed and the length of rich burgundy silk he'd left hanging out the top of it, her velvet-lined handcuffs were visible as she looked inside. She smirked and reached out to touch the sleek ribbon. She'd completely forgotten about them and they hadn’t been used, but she’d kept hold of them anyway. An old friend had gifted them to her when she'd wanted to spice things up with her boyfriend at the time. They'd broken up before she could broach the idea. But now, the thought sparked in her mind, and she suddenly wanted nothing more than to test them out with Jake.

 

She heard the lock turn a second before the bathroom door opened, and he stepped out wearing nothing but a towel around his waist. She dropped the silk and put her back to it, eyeing him up and down appreciatively. His hair was tidier. He must've learned how to cut his own hair at some point because it didn't look like a hack job. He'd also taken the time to trim his beard, and she could see that tempting dimple better when he smiled a bit deviously at her.

 

"I see you found the scissors." She said too innocently.

 

Jake didn't react, his face a blank mask, but his eyes glittered with dark amusement.

 

"I did… amongst other things."

 

Oh, she liked when he played along. She schooled her features into an expression of serene purity. She knew she'd laid it on too thick when the corner of his mouth twitched in spite of his effort to remain neutral.

 

"Mm. Such as?" She prodded, unable to keep her happiness from her tone and hoping to distract them both with a night of delirious, addictive pleasure.

 

Jake padded over to her, bare feet silent on the wooden floors, and she could feel the heat rolling off him from a foot away.

 

"Pepper spray, a few dozen knives, and a bottle of lighter fluid." He hedged, and she bit back a smile, determined to win. The first embers of desire began to kindle low in her abdomen as she eyed his sculpted chest. She idly watched as a drop of water rolled down his chest and torso, disappearing under the towel. When she lifted her gaze to his face, she knew he'd wanted her to know he'd seen them.

 

"So perfectly normal things then?" She said and put her back to him.

 

She made to take a step toward the bed when his hand grabbed her upper arm, halting her and scalding her skin through the thin robe. He dragged her back against his chest. She thrilled at the rough touch and yielded, turning her head to meet his eye.

 

"Yes?" She asked, voice breathy and urgent.

 

"I also came across something I'd like to try out. Would you indulge me?" He murmured in a smokey tone that made her shiver.

 

"Anything for you." She swore. A little too vehemently for the situation, but it seemed to please him.

 

He let her go, and she eyed his scantily clad form as he went to her bag and reached inside to pull the long strip of silk out. Her heart was pounding so fast she could barely hear over the sound. He wrapped one end of the fabric around one hand and held the other in his fist, giving it a sharp snap to test its strength, blue eyes blazing with heat. She shifted restlessly on her feet as lust invaded her mind and body with its scarlet fog.

 

"I want to see if you can stand being fucked while unable to touch or see me." He said, at last, voice sliding over her skin like dark magic.

 

If he'd been any other man, she'd have set a list of ground rules before agreeing to be blindfolded and restrained. Terrified of giving someone complete control over her body and pleasure. But with Jake, there was nothing but black excitement and a rush of slick arousal between her legs as he stared her down, pulling the maroon silk through his fingers as he waited for her to consent. That care and concern had her untying the knot of her robe and letting it slide down her arms to the floor, pooling around her feet as she turned her back to him. She held her hands behind her back, crossed at the wrist, so he knew she was very much aware of what she was agreeing to. She heard him mutter a curse at her show of submission a split second before his hands settled on her shoulders and whirled her around to face him to kiss her.

 

The possession of her mouth was so complete she forgot to be annoyed he hadn't given in to her silent surrender. She clung to his back as he nipped at her parted lips, feeling the hard muscle bunching under her palms as he grabbed handfuls of her ass and pulled her flush against the rigid cock still hidden under a towel. She wriggled in his hold, body going loose and tense all at once as his clever fingers dipped into the cleft of her ass. The possessive growl he made at finding her wet swallowed down by her.

 

He freed her mouth to tease the delicate skin of her throat, teeth scraping over her flickering pulse before taking it into his mouth in a sucking bite, a strangled moan escaping her open mouth. The tantalizing scrape of his freshly trimmed beard only added to the fire he was building inside her as his hands came up to cup her breasts, nipples caught between his fingers until she whined and thought she might be able to come from this alone. All she could do was cling to him as he masterfully played with her until her inner thighs were coated with her essence and her legs had turned to jelly. She dared to look down as his sweet mouth closed over her taut peak, sucking and biting until she cried out, the slight pain merging with the fire in her core in the most delicious way. He was watching her through a fringe of dark lashes, blue eyes burning black with hunger.

 

Her sounds became desperate when he moved and gave the same treatment to her other breast, goosebumps pebbling her skin as the air chilled the damp skin he'd left behind. She was holding onto his broad shoulders and digging her nails into his smooth skin when he dropped a hand to delve between her soaked folds, circling her clit as he grazed his teeth over her nipple to make her jolt. He taunted her with soft taps against her clit, never giving her what she was vocally begging him for as the ache in her core built to intolerable levels. She couldn't think of anything but to fill the emptiness. His mouth popped free of her breast, and he rose to his full height, leaving her a trembling mess as her inner walls contracted in response to being denied.

 

She was panting and hot all over, her skin flushed pink while he looked perfectly composed as he let the towel fall from his hips. His hand found her nape and he tugged her in for another rousing kiss. She worked a hand between their bodies to wrap it around his lovely cock, taunting him with light strokes she knew weren't enough to satisfy him. She smirked against his lips as his hips jutted into her hand, trying to take control and steal the pressure she wasn't giving him. He didn't let her tease him for long. He bit her kiss-swollen bottom lip before abruptly twisting her around and pulling on her braid's end. A rush of primal lust shot through her as her mind caught on to what he was doing, and she obediently held her hands behind her back, mutely telling him she still wanted this.

 

She was entirely at ease, if a little unhinged when she felt the cool metal on her sensitive skin as he looped the handcuffs around her wrists. The metallic click and snap as he tightened the cuffs enough to confine but not hurt, causing a fresh rush of desire to flood her inflamed core. She felt oddly unsteady once he was done, the muscles in her arms accepting the restriction with a slight ache that only heightened the deep burn of her weighty arousal low in her stomach. She tested her shackles, finding very little slack in them, though Manon knew she could free herself if she wished. She closed her eyes and drew in a steadying breath as he brought the length of wide wine-red silk over her head and covered her eyes, tying it at the back of her head, blinding her completely. She gave a shocked cry that turned into a thrilled purr when he gave her ass a sharp tap as a reward for her compliance.

 

Blindfolded and tightly bound, she had to rely on her other senses to guide her as he carefully turned her back around to admire his handiwork. Manon arched her back a little for his perusal, the picture of shamelessness and want. She heard his breathing catch and speed up, and he made a pained noise that made her clench her thighs together in a vain attempt to smother the fire between them. His words only added gasoline to the blaze inside.

 

"I need you to tell me if it's too much. Can you do that for me? You look so beautiful I don't think I can be gentle." He said in a voice so guttural she felt it like the scrape of blunt nails over soft skin. She licked her lips, twitching impatiently as she nodded.

 

"Good girl." He murmured and began to back her toward the bed.

 

Her heart thumped furiously in her chest when the edge of the mattress connected with the back of her knees. Jake pushed down firmly on her shoulders to make her sit and helped her scoot back to lean against the headboard. She listened to the faint sounds of the floor creaking and the rustle of her bag as he set it down on the floor. Every second seemed to last an eternity. It was like she was locked in a thick bubble, every tiny sound bouncing off the opaque walls and seeping into her ears as Jake moved around the room. He was testing her, she knew, seeing how long she’d wait before she dropped the submissive act and took the reins back. She refused to do it, preferring to wait him out and leave her body in his capable hands. She tried to ignore the simmering heat in her center making her jumpy and needy as it picked away at the fine strands holding her tattered patience together. She heard him approach the bed again and felt her heartbeat in her throat, the suspense wearing on her even as it excited her more. 

 

Her mouth went dry when the bed shook, and he finally joined her. Her arms were beginning to tingle and complain in their awkward position. Still, she knew it would be worth every moment of discomfort. She flexed her hands to release some of her nervous energy as she sensed him creep closer. Manon loosed a shuddering breath as firm, unyielding fingers roughly pried her sticky thighs apart, spreading her wide open. She felt him crouch between them, thumbs parting her folds a moment before she felt his hot tongue glide up the seam of her, repeating the move to make her sob and shake her head, working on her relentlessly. Being unable to see heightened every featherlight flick of his tongue into an all-consuming ravishing. She was defenseless against the onslaught, soft cries turning to throaty wails as he alternated between quick, sharp jabs of his tongue and long, languid licks to savor her taste.

 

She needed him to banish the hollow ache, but he stubbornly refused and focused on making her whine his name as he sucked and lapped at her clit. Her hands uselessly fisted behind her, and she longed to bury them in his hair. He was ravenous and intent on driving her mad, tormenting her until she squeezed her thighs around his head and canted her hips to keep him where she needed him. The vulgar sound of his devouring and the deep, starving groans made everything all the more devastating. She keened far too loudly as his mouth sealed over her clit, and he drew her swollen nub into his mouth, tongue swirling over it again and again. It was a divine form of torture. Her cries went wild, and she tried to wriggle away as her release suddenly surged through her, the flutter of his tongue over that bundle of nerves too much to bear. She sobbed, body convulsing when he relented and backed off, twitching at the distinct sound of him wiping a hand over his mouth.

 

She was panting and shaking, aftershocks still jumping under her sweat beaded skin as she attempted to settle herself. It was a lost cause. She was far from sated, her first orgasm too fast and furious to tame the out-of-control wildfire he'd kindled within her so effortlessly. She almost jumped out of her skin when he touched her again, wordlessly telling her to roll over onto her front, helping when she struggled to make her boneless body move. She pulled her knees up under her, lifting her ass in the air and letting her weight rest on her front. Her face was buried in the pillows, but she turned to the side to breathe as she couldn't use her arms or hands to keep her balance. She loved when he took her from behind, letting go of his usual control over himself, and taking out his pent up frustration and aggression on her.  

 

She spread her knees wider as he ran a hand over the curve of her ass and kneeled behind her. She knew she was on full display, his hum of approval making her smile. The blindfold meant she couldn't prepare herself as he teased her folds with the fat head of his cock before burying himself in her cunt, splitting her apart in a single brutal move. She couldn’t make a sound, and didn’t know what she’d say if she could. He hadn't stretched her with fingers this time, so she was very tight, the hint of pain as he breached her resisting muscles the only thing keeping her tethered to the earth. The ache was gone, replaced by a fierce need to be fucked, and have him use her body hard. She wanted to hurt tomorrow and wear the bruises he left on her skin like jewels. 

 

She was aware of the noise she was making but was far from caring. Throaty cries and harsh wails ripped from her chest with each unforgiving snap of his hips. When he took hold of her bound hands and used them to wrench her back, impaling her on his rigid cock she screamed and thrashed, shoulders burning with every tug on her manacled hands. He wasn't holding anything back this time. The restraint he usually held on himself had washed away the second she'd given him total control and yielded all her trust to him. She wished he'd found cuffs and blindfold sooner if this was the result. Her breath whooshed from her lungs in a shattered breath as he withdrew from her tense walls and viciously slammed back into her, rattling and electrifying her in equal measure. Release soon rushed toward her, setting her skin aflame and causing her to growl and plead with him to fuck her impossibly harder.

 

She was walking that blade's edge, ready to fall into the abyss and shatter into a million pieces, when he slid free of her with a feral noise she hadn't heard him make before. She snarled and gnashed her teeth at being denied, but he wasn't finished. His ragged breathing was a song in her ears  as she felt him fumble with the metal holding her hostage and she whimpered in relief as they fell away. The pressure in her back and shoulders eased immediately as he spoke for the first time since he'd first strung her hands together.

 

"On your back, sweetheart."

 

She clumsily did as told, shaking limbs unable to hold her weight as she slumped down. He grabbed her legs at the ankles, bending them back so her knees were to her chest, her toes almost touching the headboard. It was easier to hold the position after he'd sunk himself back inside her, and she could rest them on his shoulders, but he didn't go easy on her. If anything, the brief reprieve only riled him more. She felt the pleasure swelling within moments as he set a punishing pace, the crown of his cock brushing against that spot deep inside her that made her mewl his name and soak them both with her essence. Her hands free now, she clenched the sheets in one and slid the other down her body, fingers slipping through the mess he’d made to find her clit, needing more to bring an end to her exquisite agony.

 

It was cutting her in two. Jake sensed her distress and circled his hips with each thrust as she swirled her fingers across that bundle of nerves. Urging her along with sweet nothings and filthy promises of what he'd do to her the next time they could steal this time alone. She never wanted it to end and longed to drift in the dense haze of pleasure forever. It had to end, though. She felt as if she would combust if it didn't, body tense as a bowstring and so overheated her skin stuck to his as he bent her body further. The friction of her busy hand catching her clit worked in tandem with his thick length inside her, and she finally fell off the edge. Her eyes rolled back, bursts of blood red light bloomed behind her eyelids as the tension snapped violently, and release hit her like a blow to the head, inner walls clamping around his cock as he rasped her name in a broken sob and spilled inside her. She barely registered him gently untying her blindfold as shockwaves gripped her and stole her sanity. All she was aware of was Jake heaving for breath, soothing her with soft touches and loving kisses as he moved them into a spooning position before she was lost in the abyss of sheer bliss and exhaustion.

 

Notes:

Again, thank you for reading. It means the world!
I hope that smut scene works how I imagined it to lol

I'm so excited about the stories I have planned for this year. One will be coming soon, and I will be taking some time away from this one to finish it. It's set in a different time period, so I want to finish it before I start to post to ensure I get the details right.

Don't worry. It's not a long fic like this one, so I won't be away from this for too long. I just didn’t want you to worry when I didn’t update this for a bit.

I hope you'll give it a chance when I do post it because it's completely different different from this one! Still with Jake and a new MC I hope you’ll love.

Chapter 23: Whose eyes am I behind? I don’t recognize anything that I see

Summary:

Saturday. Jake makes himself useful and raids Alan’s computer before him, Manon and Jessy visit the Aurora!

Notes:

Okay. One. I know absolutely fuck all about hacking or computers. I don’t even understand how the Cloud works. So I went to the university of Google and spoke to my dad, who is a bit of a genius with computers. Still don’t understand it, so it’s vague. You aren’t here for technical shit anyway 🤣

 

Two… I tried.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

23

 

 

Can you save me from this world of mine

Before I get myself arrested with this expectation?

You are the one

Look what you've done

What have you done?

This is not some kind of joke

You're just a kid

You weren't ready for what you did, no

 

And when the world is on its knees

With me, it's fine

And when I come to the rescue

I do it for you

Time after time

Everybody seems to be getting what they need

Where's mine?

'Cause you're what I need so very

But I'm anything but ordinary

 

I think I'm trying to save the world for you

You've been saving me, too

We should just stay in and save each other

I'm anything but ordinary”

 

Ordinary - Train

 

 

 

 

 

Jake

 

When they hear the word' hacker,' most people have an image of a shadowed agent of chaos, a modern-day Robin Hood, out to right the wrongs of the rich and powerful. Or they think of someone infecting your computer from thousands of miles away to steal your money, identity, or nude photos. They are seen as machines with a singular focus, analytical, and close to genius, but the reality is greyer. As brilliant as hackers could be, most had the same flaw as he did, a brain that couldn't comprehend emotions and the value of empathy until they needed to use it to further their ambitions. But they still didn't understand the emotions they emulated to twist things toward the desired outcome. He struggled to read emotions in text and sometimes in reality. Unable to sense anything but calculated manipulation when he was in that zone, his world shrank to the size of the screens in front of him. He had to throw off his humanity and morals for the greater good. Others like himself let the empathetic part of their brain decline and wane as they trained themselves to feel and think nothing except determination. It stunted them, and he was still learning it wasn't a flaw to feel things and care about something other than getting through whatever wall they kept bouncing off.

 

Thanks to the power of Hollywood, people believe that hacking is filled with adrenaline-fuelled moments of breaking through anything in their way in a matter of seconds. Usually set to intense music and shots of the hero trying to beat the clock rapidly running down. It's always exciting, and success is a given. In the movies, they rarely fail. But that's different from what it was for most. In reality, hacking was hours, days, and weeks spent waiting, thinking, and waiting again. It's tedious and frustrating. Most of his time was spent scrolling through social media, cataloging the details people openly shared, not realizing someone like him could use them to take control of their lives. It was scary how easily a password or home address could be found just by looking through their posts. Failing that and sick of waiting for Alan to slip, Jake had chosen the simplest form of hacking to get what he needed.

 

Days spent coding painstakingly and slowly writing more when it failed to find a vulnerability had forced him to fall back on an old trick he'd been unable to use until now. He couldn't break his way in and compromise the system, but he could compromise a person and have them open the back door for him. Once Alan had used the USB and opened the file containing his malware, it had done most of the work for him. He quickly had remote access to Alan's computer and groaned at the sheer amount of crap he found. It was a graveyard of cases and memos, his daily lunch and coffee orders, appointments he had coming up, and some personal information Jake left alone because he felt a bit guilty looking at that. Alan had carefully compiled notes, recordings, and his thoughts or gut instincts on every case he'd worked on. It was a boon for them, and he could feel that familiar buzz of success filter through his system. It woke him up, and Jake soon found a new admiration for the man he'd deemed useless, but he doubted the man had ever deleted a file.

 

He'd trawled through everything as quickly as possible, taking anything that might help them and other things he didn't need yet but might come in handy in the future. He felt useful again as he disconnected from Alan's PC and sorted everything into his files. Alan had promised to send them whatever they needed, but he'd been dragging his heels, and Manon wasn't one to wait. Neither was he, and he wanted the challenge to keep him from climbing out of his skin just for something to do. It took hours to organize it all and separate them into the files he'd been faithfully updating whenever something happened, or they found something new to explore. His eyelids felt like sandpaper every time he blinked, tension had built behind them, and he had a slight headache as he turned everything off and let out a weary sigh. He hadn't heard Manon come into the room until her voice cut through the silence of the early afternoon. He jolted, nearly falling out of his chair as she set down a coffee and his glasses on the desk.

 

"I told you before, glasses if you're staring at that all day." She said and waved a hand at his dark screens.

 

He gave her a sheepish smile and thanked her before picking up the mug and downing half of it, not caring that it scalded the roof of his mouth. She cringed as he did and shook her head.

 

"You look as if you didn't sleep, but I know you did." Concern dripped from her tone as she inspected his face, seeing the red eyes and messy hair he'd been pulling when he'd thought Alan's firewall had recognized his bug.

 

She stood close enough that he could scent her skin's warmth and that perfume she wore that haunted him long after she'd left the room. She was clad in black leggings and an oversized shirt. A possessive part of him preened and purred when he realized the shirt was his. Her hair was still in its braid, but messy tendrils had escaped during the night, and she looked younger. She wore no makeup today, only her smile, and she looked completely at home as she reached out and gripped his chin, tilting his head to the light so she could peer into his eyes. The gentle touch was casual and full of love. No awkwardness between them as he met her gaze and let her see him. 

 

Her eyes practically glowed, sparks of gold scattered amongst the green that turned liquid in the sun. She wore mental armor, so impenetrable everything bounced off it, hiding the vulnerable parts of her most never got to see. But around him, she dropped it and let him in, shielding him too. Her eyes always gave her away, though. They were fierce and wild, showing she burned deeply and irrevocably underneath the facade she wore for the world. Faint red marks on the inside of her wrists caught his eye, and his mind immediately began a never-ending reel of his favorite moments from last night.

 

As clearly as she was right in front of him, he saw her drop her robe, standing proud and confident as she turned and offered her hands to be bound by him. The sight of her, so strong and capable, handing herself over to him to do as he liked had destroyed and remade him. Something dark and predatory had emerged, and he had lost control. She'd taken everything he'd thrown at her and begged for more. He'd felt like the luckiest bastard alive. He knew it had been a show of trust for her, and he'd tested it as far as he could stand. Leaving her waiting, expecting her to take back control and demand he release her. But she hadn't. She had trembled and writhed, the blindfold like a slash of dark blood across her eyes. He could feel her still, under his hands, around his cock, and under his damn skin. She was everywhere, and he hoped she never left. She was smirking knowingly as she dropped her hand and freed him, the ghost of her touch soon turned cold, and he cleared his throat.

 

"I'm fine. I'm done for now anyway." He said when his brain finally supplied words instead of images of her the night before.

 

"Good. Get ready. We're going out." She told him and started to walk away. He reached out and grabbed her hand, pulling her to a halt, and received a cocky arch of her brow in return.

 

"Are you planning on telling me where we are going this time? Or do you prefer to wait until we get there so you can frighten the life out of me?" He teased and rubbed his thumb along the ring of pink skin on the inside of her wrist, watching as her eyelids fluttered at the feathery touch. He smiled, satisfied, and lifted her wrist to his mouth, dragging his lips along her skin and inhaling her sweet scent. She shifted on her feet and leaned into it before he relented and freed her. He liked knocking her off balance whenever he could. She so often turned his world upside down. It was only fair.

 

"That's how I prefer to get my kicks, but we're going to Phil's. I remembered we hadn't been to see the secret room yet. He's closed this afternoon, so it has to be now." She said, backing away and smiling at his failed attempt to keep his face blank.

 

It wasn't jealousy so much as it was a deep disgust at his inability to speak his mind and emotions freely. Men like Phil had no trouble admitting what they wanted or asking for it and acting on it. He'd been unable to for so long that he couldn't remember how he used to do it. His early attempts at flirting with Manon had been akin to some AI system learning to write songs or stories by studying media but never fully understanding it. How she'd managed to decipher something romantic amongst those stilted, often insensitive messages he'd never know, but was grateful all the same. His emotions were a jumbled, frazzled mess most of the time, and he couldn't follow the threads to their ends since they'd all knotted together. Only one fiery strand fluttered free and loose of the rest, a light in the dark that warmed and the only thing he was sure of after so long running on quicksand. Love, passion, and trust were all shaped into a flaming cord that could never burn him, and he could cling to it when the darkness overwhelmed him.

 

He still struggled, but with her, it was easier. She knew what to say or do to pull it from him when she noticed he'd gotten tangled up again. Always seemed to know when he was fighting with himself, and he could do the same for her. He knew her tells now, every bluff, every bait, and switch she pulled whenever she was avoiding something. Knew the right words that could ease or excite her and the actions that would calm or rouse her, a new form of hacking he had long thought he'd never excel at. Somehow he'd become so attuned to her that it came as easy as breathing now, he just had to look at her, and he'd know everything she was fighting to conceal from everyone else. He knew Phil was no threat to him or his place in Manon's life, but his insecurities still ate at him whenever he was around the man. Still, that was his problem, not hers.

 

He didn't say any of that as she waited by the bathroom door for his reply. He smiled and inclined his head, "Okay, I won't be long. Get ready, and I'll wait here for you."

 

She gave him a sunny grin and blew an imaginary kiss before slinking into the bathroom to get ready. Jake rose from his chair and gave his stiff body a good stretch, sighing in relief as his back and neck cracked. Even his fingers felt sore, but mentally, he felt nothing but surety in this new life he'd found. He left his desk to change his clothes and wait for Manon, hoping being around Phil wouldn't tarnish the glow of his happiness.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Jessy had insisted on joining them once she'd learned where they were going, and he followed her and Manon into the empty Aurora. The lights were on since the windows had been left shuttered. The yellow tint to the bulbs made everything look a bit dingy and old, though it was spotlessly clean. Sparkling glasses and shiny tabletops glittered under the lights, and even the floor had a sheen that suggested Phil was a bit of a neat freak. When Phil walked out of a door behind the bar to greet them, Jake was surprised to find he felt nothing but apathy toward the man. If the bartender was surprised to see him and his sister, he didn't show it and immediately smiled.

 

"Only part of the Scooby Gang today? Where's the dog?" Phil asked with a cheeky smile.

 

"If you mean Dan, he's at home hobbling around demanding Cleo let him help cook." Manon supplied.

 

Jessy snorted a laugh, "He can't even make cereal."

 

Manon turned to look at Jessy, brows high on her forehead as she smirked at her friend.

 

"And what happened the last time you tried to help Cleo, Jessy?" Manon teased, and Phil chuckled at his sister.

 

"Let me guess. Chaos and destruction?" Phil said.

 

"Correct," Manon affirmed.

 

Jessy crossed her arms and glared at her brother, "God knew I'd be too powerful if I could cook. Can't have it all, you see."

 

Manon shook her head, grinning back at Jake as she rested her elbows on the bar and pushed up on her toes to look down her nose at Phil.

 

"How're things with Camille? She's been unusually silent lately." Manon said, and Phil sighed, eyes dropping to his clean bar.

 

"She's... a battleaxe. I'm terrified of her." He admitted with a cringe.

 

"So am I." Manon laughed, but Jake didn't believe a word of it. She only ever seemed scared of herself. And spiders. He'd never seen someone move so fast before that night one had crawled over her desk while she fucked around on her laptop, waiting for him to finish up. She'd locked herself in the bathroom before he'd fully turned around to ask why she was yelling, refusing to come out until he'd gotten rid of it. All he’d seen was her white hair streaking through the open doorway before she banged the door shut.

 

Phil glanced at them all in turn before reaching into his back pocket and sliding a set of keys over to Manon.

 

"I'm closed till tonight. Preparing for the Pine Glade crowd coming in this week. You have an hour or so to check my basement." He winked as Manon took the keys and nodded her thanks.

 

"Oh, I forgot that's happening this week. Starts Wednesday, right?" Jessy said.

 

"Yeah, officially, but most don't come into town until the fair on Saturday. It'll be busy, but we won't be packed until then." Phil explained, and Jake could see the cogs turning in Manon's head as she digested this. He wished they were alone to get her thoughts.

 

"Need some help while those two go hunt for clues downstairs? I have no desire to play the Velma to their Fred and Daphne." Jessy joked, and Phil surprisingly accepted her offer. Jake had expected him to be under their feet the whole time.

 

"Sure. You can help me in the back room." Phil said and lifted the bar for Jessy to duck underneath before turning to them, "The big gold one unlocks the basement door. I never got the lock fixed on the other one, so it's open."

 

Manon nodded and turned to Jake as the two siblings disappeared into the backroom, "Ready, Fred?" She winked and took his hand when he nodded.

 

They went through the door Phil had pointed to and began descending into the basement, Manon leading the way. She'd come unarmed and free of anything to denote her rank. He wondered how he'd feel once he had to carry a similar badge. It had been a long time since he'd worked in a legal and official capacity. It felt a little like having his wings clipped, but it also tasted like freedom and safety. A new form of security in the shape of a contract and home with the woman who'd dragged him out of exile and made him want more than fear and constant vigilance. He often wondered what he’d be doing if Hannah had never been kidnapped. Probably dead or captured, he was lagging by the time Manon found him and so exhausted he thought it was permanent. That first night in the motel had been awkward but he’d slept for the first time in weeks. He didn’t think she understood how precious a gift that was for him. They had reached the end of the staircase but didn’t speak until they stood before the great steel door guarding the basement. 

 

Manon eyed it critically, head shaking as she said, "It doesn't make a lick of sense that a bar would need what is essentially a bank vault door for the stockroom. Especially in a town like this one."

 

She was right. The door was massive and thick, solidly built, and he wanted to laugh at Cleo and Thomas' optimism when they'd tried to break in. There was no way to force your way through it. Manon sighed and put the key in the lock, and turned it. He grabbed the door handle and heaved it open, letting her pass under his outstretched arm as she deliberately brushed against him and threw him a playful smile. He followed after closing the door and glanced around the ample space. The second Manon had entered the room the basement lights had come on.

 

It was a well organized stock room. Phil's cleaning had evidently stretched down to the basement. There wasn't a speck of dust or debris on any surface. He could detect a faint hint of lemon polish in the air. The many shelves held bottles of wine, spirits, and beer that sparkled under the fluorescent lights. One half of the room was dedicated to kegs and spare chairs. Phil hadn't replaced the broken shelves, and the secret room door was slightly ajar as they moved closer. Manon reached out and shoved the door without hesitation as she strode inside and halted in the middle. He almost walked into her. She'd stopped so suddenly. He laid a hand on her shoulder and moved to her side. Looking around and finding absolutely nothing. He wasn't sure if he was disappointed or relieved. Manon was annoyed.

 

"Just once, I'd like there to be an obvious fucking answer or clue." She groaned and crouched to look under the empty desk pushed against the wall.

 

"You would get bored if everything was too simple." He murmured, smiling down at her when she turned those venom eyes on him. She scoffed and stuck out her tongue, making him chuckle as she turned back to the empty space before them.

 

The room was tiny. Just the two of them in there were almost claustrophobic. Plain white walls and a single lightbulb hung from the ceiling. The desk was old, going by the scratches and marks on it. No sign of the laptop or stack of papers Phil had told Manon he'd found. Alan or his officers must've taken it. He wondered what they'd seen on it, hoping the files he'd stolen from Alan's PC included the laptop's contents. Manon popped up from the floor and dusted her hands off.

 

"This is pointless. There's nothing here." She said, and he couldn't disagree.

 

There were no places to hide anything else. The police would have found them if there were.

 

"Seems like it. It was always a long shot." He said.

 

They left the room, Manon looking resigned and put out but not as down as she'd seemed the day before at the Motel. She had a habit of blaming herself and treating every setback as her own personal failure. He hated seeing the light in her eyes dim and snuff out. All he could do in those moments was be there to tell her the negative thoughts were lying and that she wasn't failing anyone. After all she'd been through, and what mistakes in the past had cost her, he didn't blame her for taking it personally, but he still didn't like it.

 

As they passed through the basement, Manon strutted ahead of him, hips swaying, and he smirked at her back. He knew how to stop her brooding before it could set in. Before she could walk through the open door, he reached out to grab her wrist and pulled her to a stop. The questioning look she threw at him turned into a delighted smirk as he crowded her up against the wall. He worked on instinct to banish the crease between her brows, bracing an arm beside her head. The other curled around her waist as he lowered his head until they were sharing breath.

 

"Are you going to beat yourself up about this, Manon?" He asked quietly, just in case Phil had snuck downstairs and was listening.

 

"Depends." She retorted instantly, he saw through the sarcastic facade and watched as a shadow flickered in her eyes, and the smile she wore slipped a little.

 

"On what?" He asked and brushed his mouth against hers, noting the little sigh she made as he did. He pulled back enough for her to speak but still close enough that he could taste her words.

 

"How well you can make me forget about it." She replied, making him laugh and gift her another feather-light kiss. She made a noise of impatience when he refused to let her deepen it.

 

"If you want that, you'll have to do something for me first."

 

She cocked a brow, and he grinned down at her as her eyes lightened again, and he could almost see the annoyance leave her body.

 

"And what do you want?" She purred and arched her back, rubbing against him and pressing so close that she went out of focus.

 

He let go of her waist and wrapped his fist around her throat, feeling her swallow and pulse start to race under his fingers. He didn't squeeze, just held her and gave her the promise of more. Her pupils had blown wide, lips parting on a gasp as he tapped his thumb over her pulse.

 

"When we get home, you will not treat this as a failure. We move on to the next thing. Then we can see about making you forget all about it. Sound good?" He muttered and waited for her to nod, the action awkward given where his hand was.

 

He said nothing else as he caught her lips in his and pinned her against the wall, she only encouraged him to increase the pressure around her neck. Kissing Manon often felt like he was handling a live wire, unpredictable and dangerous, but he loved it, loved her. She was all heat and fire as he breached her mouth and slid his tongue against hers, her hands wrapping around his back as she tilted her head. He let go of her throat and buried his hand in her hair, tasting mint and something sweet on her tongue. It was all too easy to forget where they were, and neither of them heard Jessy until she called out.

 

"You two better not be naked! You've been down here ages and – oh, for fuck sake... Really?"

 

Jake sighed through his nose as he and Manon broke apart, turning to Jessy as she shook her head at them. She was smiling, laughing at them, really. Manon was giggling as she took his hand, and they moved to the doorway and out with Jessy following behind. He tuned out Jessy and Manon's playful bickering as they climbed the stairs and entered the main bar. He wanted to go home and start reading through the information he'd liberated from Alan. Thankfully, Manon was just as eager to leave, and it wasn't long before they were on their way back home.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Manon

 

 

She'd left Jake to parse through the mountain of crap he'd found that morning, and she was in the process of setting the dinner table. Cleo had refused her offer to help with the cooking, claiming it helped her stay calm, so she decided to set the table and get the drinks sorted instead. After they'd gotten back from the Aurora, she'd spent an hour having a look through Hannah's phone. She'd hoped to find something important, but the phone was oddly empty of messages except those on social media. Hannah had recovered a password for an account and had a delivery scheduled before she'd gone missing, but that was all the messages she had. Manon wasn't sure if Hannah was anal about deleting everything or if Hanson had done it. She'd read through some of the messages on social media. She saw Thomas's chat thread, but she knew what he'd last sent her thanks to Jake and wasn't in a hurry to read any more of it. Cleo, Nathan, Lilly, and Dan had all messaged her before and after her kidnapping, but until then, everything looked normal. No signs anything was off.

 

Frustration had nipped away at her patience and she was irritated at the distinct lack of Hannah's digital footprint. She'd left the phone on the kitchen counter to charge. Cleo had been warned not to touch it, so had everyone else. Jake had removed the need for a PIN. He had told her it was to make it easier on them, but she had a feeling he didn't like that Hannah had used his birthday. She knew he still beat himself up for how badly that had gone. So, she didn't say anything and accepted his explanation. She could hear Jessy, Dan, and Lilly in the living room. Jessy had announced that it was her turn to choose the movie and bullied them into watching the Notebook. Dan had crossed his arms and glared at the TV, but Manon saw he was paying more attention than the girls each time she peeked in. She assumed Thomas was upstairs because he wasn't with the others.

 

Manon placed the last knife and fork down and eyed the table. Nodding to herself and pleased it was done, she left the dining room to see how Cleo was getting on. Cleo was pulling trays from the oven and again declined help, so Manon went to the living room to tell the others dinner was almost ready. She passed Thomas on her way through. He looked tired and almost as if he had shrunk a bit, she greeted him, and he returned it emotionlessly. Pushing it aside, she walked into the living room and glanced at the TV. Jessy was mouthing along with the dialogue. It was the "If you're a bird, I'm a bird too" part, and Dan was rolling his eyes at the red head's happy squeal as it played out.

 

Lilly noticed her first and smiled warmly at her, nudging Jessy and Dan, who she'd been sandwiched in between.

 

"Dinners almost ready. You best pause that so you can see Dan cry later.” Manon teased, and Dan snorted a laugh, denying that he'd ever cry at a movie.

 

She didn't wait for a reply and padded back to the kitchen. Thomas was out on the back porch, standing with his back to the house. The doors had been flung open to let in some fresh air while Cleo was cooking, and her feet were silent on the tiled floor as she crept up behind him. Usually, he was too skittish to sneak up on, but he was engrossed in whatever he was doing. She intended to scare him as a joke until she caught a glimpse of what he had in his hand.

 

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" She snarled and grabbed his wrist, twisting it and swiping Hannah's phone out of his hand, ignoring his cry of shock and pain. Fury rode her hard as she drew herself to her full height and glared daggers at a guilty-faced Thomas. She knew fire flashed in her eyes when he took a step back and held his hands up to ward her off as she stepped into his personal space. Kill him now, or let him get himself killed? Both had their upsides, but she wanted to hurt him now as she looked at the phone and saw he'd been deleting the messages he'd sent to Hannah before she'd been taken. His shock quickly wore off, and he returned her glare, crossing his arms and planting his feet as she shook her head. Cleo was pretending not to watch them, but her eyes kept darting over, and that was just diesel to her anger as Thomas spoke.

 

"Where the hell did you come from?" He demanded, voice low and quiet.

 

She tightened her hand around the phone and let out a rough, bitter chuckle. Betrayal's cruel blade pierced her back and twisted deep, yet another scar to add to her collection. She was so tired of his shit.

 

"It's my Goddamn house, and you were told not to touch this. Did you come down just for that?"

 

He stared blankly at her for a long moment, then he blinked, and the mask slipped. His face crumpled, but he didn't cry. She sighed and felt some of her righteous anger drain away as he pulled at his hair and chewed his lip. In the span of a second, he'd gone from a hard-nosed prick to a sad, heart-sick little boy who'd gotten dragged into something and didn't know how to handle it. Thomas was naïve, and she was done coddling him. He'd been caught red-handed, and there was no excuse for it.

 

"I'm sorry." He said, avoiding her eye and struggling to swallow as he spoke.

 

"Before she was taken, I sent some horrible messages. I was lashing out because she'd treated me so cruelly recently. I never thought to ask her if something bad was happening." He admitted, and she felt the embers of her fury stoke back to life.

 

"How horrible? If you threatened to hurt her, Thomas, I swear to God..." Manon hissed and refused to look away when he flinched. She was hurt and fed up. He just seemed to make everything more complicated than it needed to be.

 

"No! I swear! I never said anything like that. Jesus Christ, Manon.” He returned just as viciously.

 

"What. Did. You. Say." She enunciated flatly and smothered a smirk when he sighed and nodded.

 

"I told her I didn't deserve to be pushed away. I felt lost and confused. We'd been fine and happy. The next thing you know, she completely shut me out and went off without letting anyone know. "She went missing for two days once, did you know?"

 

Manon arched a brow, unmoved.

 

"Did she now? We'll circle back to that in a minute." She held up her index finger and launched into a speech so biting it was almost like she'd prepared it earlier it tripped off her tongue so easily.

 

"There's nothing horrible in that, Thomas. What did you say to her that would make you break my trust, ignore one of the most important rules I gave you, and tamper with our biggest piece of evidence? Because I assure you that excuse is not worth doing all of that, you're lying. You can't look me in the damn eye. Tell me the truth. I have no problem forcing it out of you, Thomas. Your choice."

 

He rocked back as if she'd slapped him. Hurt flashed across his face but was gone in an instant. He was furious, and she felt a tiny qualm of terror before it turned to adrenaline. She squared her shoulders and curled her hands into fists. Her feet were planted a shoulders width apart as she stared down her nose at him. Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best, she'd meet him blow for blow if he lashed out. She could see her other friends in the kitchen muttering amongst themselves, but none made to approach her and Thomas. They seemed happy enough as spectators, and she tuned them out to focus on the idiot in front of her. He was fuming. She'd never actually seen him angry before. The sad kicked puppy act had been his preferred performance. He finally met her eye and ducked his head, sighing long and deep.

 

"I accused her of cheating on me. She didn't confirm or deny it. I took that to mean she had. Now I know she wasn't cheating. But I didn't then, and I... I told her I had nothing without her. If she left, I'd be better off dead, and she told me I was worth more than she could give me. She wanted to take a break, but I refused. Her last message to me was her breaking up with me." Thomas said, and the breath stalled in Manon's lungs. Their friends had gone silent at the confession.

 

Oh, she was going to kill him. She wanted to string him up and force him to air out the sheer idiocy polluting his actions and life so he could stop making everything worse. There had always been a suspicion in the back of her mind about Thomas. But she'd pushed it aside and convinced herself he was grieving. His and Hannah being broken up was a big secret to hide from everyone, and it must've killed him inside to keep it from them. Still, he could've just explained it to her instead of sneaking around and trying to cover it up.

 

"Why didn't you tell me that? I would've understood. But I can't accept this, Thomas. You keep getting in the way and screwing up. You realize how bad that makes you look, don't you?" She demanded and shook her head as his shoulders slumped and his eyes turned glassy.

 

"I know." He croaked, throat thick with whatever emotion was riding him. Still, she felt no sympathy as Jake entered the kitchen and met her eye, concern evident on his face at her defensive stance. She shook her head as he made to join them on the porch and turned back to Thomas when he stopped. Jake's eyes were locked on Thomas, and she knew if Thomas so much as flinched toward her, Jake wouldn't hesitate to lay him out. The idea shouldn't have been as exciting as it was, bloody knuckles shouldn't be a turn-on, but she liked what she liked. She didn't need saving, though. She had only wanted to be found. It was sweet of him to try and protect her, though, and she’d reward him for it later. 

 

"You don't know, Thomas. That's the problem. You can't do this. I won't have it. I'm done. I can't risk everyone else to coddle you. Last chance. Shape the fuck up or get the fuck out." She spat and stormed into the house, bypassing her friends and Jake, hands trembling as anger and adrenaline rattled through her. She reached the stairs and launched herself up them, not stopping until she was in her room and slammed the door behind her. Pacing and fretting, turning the phone over in her hands as she contemplated what to do next and how Thomas's secret affected them. Betrayal still lay heavy in her heart, and it would leave an indelible and invisible stain, but she'd feel it each time she looked at Thomas, and she hated him for it.

 

She finally understood his mindless need to save Hannah and the risks he'd taken to do so. He wanted to be the knight in shining armor, save the princess and keep her happily ever fucking after. Desperation made for recklessness, and they couldn't afford it anymore. Her thoughts were spinning and screaming at her, half of her wanting to beat the stupidity out of him, and the other half was packing his bags and kicking him out to survive on his own. But she couldn't do either. Knew she'd never forgive herself if something happened to him. She tossed Hannah's phone onto the bed and ran her hands through her hair, scratching at her scalp to try and distract herself from the cyclone of anxiety brewing in her chest.

 

Breathing in deeply and holding it a second before releasing it, she worked to calm her racing heart. Sitting down on the edge of the bed, she held her head in her hands and tapped her foot on the floor, counting each tap as the bedroom door opened and Jake walked in. She knew it was him without looking. Anyone else would've knocked. The bed beside her dipped, and he wrapped a comforting arm around her shoulders. He didn't say anything, offering his support by allowing her to work through it herself. She knew he'd think she was blaming herself, but for once, she wasn't. It was all Thomas. The panic came from the past and was already receding, the edges of her vision clearing as it did. She loosed a breath and rubbed her eyes, dropping her hands to her lap as she turned to Jake. He watched her as he often did, and she didn't bother hiding from him.

 

"I'm so pissed off I might actually kill him." She said, not expecting a response beyond ‘I know’ but he surprised her.


"I'll dig the grave and help you cover it up." He joked and kissed her temple.

 

She chuckled, pleased he didn't try to fix it, "Let's sleep on it. We shouldn't make a permanent decision based on temporary emotions. Let him worry for a bit. It might make him get a grip of himself."

 

Jake nodded, "That's wise. I brought dinner up for us. Didn't think you'd want to be around anyone after that."

 

She smiled and thanked him, stomach grumbling as she'd barely eaten that day. He laughed and stood up, grabbing the two plates of food he'd sat on her desk before handing her one and sitting beside her. They ate in comfortable silence for a bit, both thinking and too busy chewing. When they did talk, it was about safe topics, and he made no mention of Hannah the rest of the night. She was glad. She needed a break from it for a bit. Once they were done, he took their dishes downstairs and brought them a bottle of wine and glasses to share. And so they pretended they were an average couple with a downright dull life, and there was no masked psycho out for their blood. They were just Manon and Jake. She dearly hoped for that life with him. It would never be boring with them, and her heart skipped every time she thought of their future. Picket fences and crystal glasses, hard times and good, she didn't care. She wanted it all.

 



Notes:

Thank you so very much for reading and for any comments you might leave! I absolutely love you.

 

I’m not taking a break anymore. I will keep updating this.

 

***New JakexOFMC romance is now available.***

Chapter one is up and I’m so excited about it. I hope you like it as much as I did writing it.

Chapter 24: Came into this world, Daddy's little girl and Daddy made a soldier out of me

Summary:

Sunday. The aftermath of Thomas' betrayal and someone finally makes contact! Manon plots.

Notes:

There is a lot of texting in this chapter. It's Sunday, not much to do in town, and people finally decided to talk!

Thank you so much for the kudos and comments over the course of this story. I can't believe how close we are to the end of this. In story time, at least, it'll take me longer to write and post.

I hope you enjoy this chapter, and please leave a comment if you do! It's fuel for the words.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

24

 

 

Daddy made me fight

It wasn't always right

But he said,

'Girl it's your second amendment'

He always played it cool

But Daddy was no fool

And right before he died, he said 'Remember...'

 

With his gun

With his head held high

He told me not to cry

Oh, my Daddy said shoot

 

With his right hand on his rifle

He swore it on the bible

My Daddy said shoot

'Cause he held me in his arms

And he taught me to be strong

And he told me when he's gone, 'here's what you do'

 

When trouble comes in town

And men like me come around

Oh, my Daddy said shoot

My Daddy said shoot”

 

Daddy Lessons - Beyoncé 

********

 

 

 

 

Manon

 

 

The following day, there was no sound in the house when Manon came downstairs. Her friends were up and moving, making breakfast and coffee, yet they were knee-deep in silence. The clink of cutlery and the setting down of full mugs reverberated around the room like a cymbal crash. The air felt so brittle Manon was afraid it would snap. If it didn't, someone else would, and they could move past this. She had nothing to say to set their minds at ease, and anything she did think of sounded too trite, too... empty. Nobody dared speak, not even a sarcastic comment from Dan as she fixed her and Jake's coffee and toast. Jessy gave her a consoling smile which Manon returned. She wondered what had been said after she'd stormed upstairs the night before and if they'd condemned or supported Thomas. He was nowhere to be seen, but his bedroom door was shut, and she could hear him moving around as she returned to her bedroom.

 

 

The knowledge that Hannah had dumped him lay heavy in her mind as she let herself into her room and met Jake's curious gaze as he lounged in bed. His eyes lit up as she handed him his coffee and toast before settling beside him to consume her own. The atmosphere here couldn't have been more different. There was tension, but not the kind that made you want to break things or scream at someone. No, it was that same attractive magnetic force that had drawn her to him in the first place, only growing more potent the longer they spent in each other's presence. It was the closest thing to peace she'd ever known. She felt she had earned it and didn't plan to give it up for anyone or anything.

 

 

Her nature was to fight each time she was knocked down or pushed back. She got up and tackled it head-on, no matter what. But she was so very tired of it and wished for an easy time, just this once. She was clinging to the last shreds of her hope, and exhaustion loomed near. She would give this case everything she had and gladly. Would there be anything left of her in the end, though? What if they fought through only to find more death and betrayal awaiting them? She sighed, crunching down on her toast so she wouldn't blurt out the words she so desperately wanted to say.  Would you run away with me, Jake? I can't stand this anymore.

 

 

Jake allowed her to get lost in her head, knowing she needed to sort through it all before they discussed it. She'd finished her toast and most of her coffee before she dared to give voice to any of the questions swirling in her mind.

 

 

"You can get those messages Thomas deleted back, can't you?"

 

 

Jake cleared his throat and set his cup on his nightstand before replying, "I can. Won't take long."

 

 

She nodded, not really looking at him as she picked at a loose thread on the cuff of her hoodie sleeve. It wasn't hers. It was Jake's, and it swamped her small form, but she wanted to hide away, and it helped.

 

 

"What do you think I should do about him?" She asked after a long moment. She'd never felt this unsure before. It made her feel like the ground was sinking, trying to suck her down, down, down. Melancholy was a heavy cloak around her shoulders, and she couldn't seem to let it fall to the floor.

 

 

He reached out and intertwined their fingers, squeezing three times in silent declaration that she returned almost on instinct. She met his eye and didn't hide the doubt surely flashing in her eyes as he spoke.

 

 

"I think he's already suffering the worst punishment. Anything more seems cruel. But I wouldn't trust him, and I'll be keeping an eye on him from now on."

 

 

She loosed a tight breath, agreeing even if she wanted to throttle Thomas until either common sense returned, or he passed out. Both would be calming to her then.

 

 

"First it was Richy, now Thomas... Who's next?" She asked, but both knew she didn't want an answer, just to get the thoughts out so she could focus on more important things.

 

 

They didn't discuss it any further, neither having any answers or will to dig themselves deeper into the mire of self-doubt and despair. Instead, they talked about mundane things, plans for the future, and the vacation she told him they were taking the second they wrapped this shit show up. After a while, she felt her dark mood lift enough for determination to sink its lovely claws into her and remind her who the fuck she was. The worst thing she could be now was a coward, and she refused to become one. No, she faced things head-on and dealt with them, and it was time she used her skills instead of waiting for the other shoe to drop.

 

 

A coward would sacrifice anything to save themselves. They are willing to become a monster just so they can survive. That wasn't her, and she wouldn't allow anyone to make her such. When Jake left her to take a shower, she got up and searched for the burner phone Steve had given her and turned it on, typing out her message as fast as possible and hitting send. Manon stared out the bedroom window at the vast expanse of forest, and the sun stretched its golden arms out to stroke the tops of the pines. Her heart was beating off-kilter as she waited for Steve's reply, knowing he always kept his phone on him. Five minutes passed like concrete through a sieve before the phone in her hand vibrated. She looked at the screen, and a grim smile spread across her face.

 

 

Steve: I can do that, M, if you're sure. 

 

 

She heard the shower shut off and fired back a reply before she deleted the chat and turned the phone off again. It was back in its hiding place by the time Jake came out, and she was stripping the bed to change the sheets. Everything in her wanted to tell Jake, but she couldn't, not yet, at least. Guilt weighed her down as she remade the bed and changed her clothes for the day. She locked herself in the bathroom to sort her hair out and to avoid spilling her guts to Jake, who was recovering the messages on Hannah's phone. She could barely meet her own eye in the mirror as she brushed her teeth and slathered moisturizer on her face. Once she was ready, she drew in a deep breath and gave herself a shake, pasting on a smile as she left the bathroom to start her day.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Darkness: Forgive my belated reply. It seemed strange that someone else would enquire about the Man Without a Face so soon after the first. I admit I didn't trust that you were sincere.

 

 

Manon lounged on her bed as Jake worked at his desk, and her heart pounded in her chest as she read Darkness' message. She had almost given up hope he'd get in touch. Jake turned to meet her eye, and she saw his screen was open to the chat she was currently typing a reply into.

 

 

Nymos: Perhaps I'm just a strange person...

 

 

Jake had turned back to his screen and gave a wry chuckle that made her want to smile.

 

 

Darkness: There is a price for my knowledge. Are you willing to pay it, Nymos?

 

 

Manon muttered under her breath and rolled her eyes before sending a snarky reply.

 

 

Nymos: Cash or credit?

 

 

Darkness: Neither. I trade in secrets. Do you have any spare, Nymos? I'm betting you have more than most...

 

 

She could feel Jake's eyes on her as she huffed and resisted the urge to tell Darkness to crawl back into whatever cave he'd emerged from.

 

 

Nymos: What type of secret would satisfy your ego, Darkness?

 

 

Darkness: Something that haunts you in the middle of the night. Something that changed you so profoundly that you've never been the same. That is my price, pay it or let me return to my work.

 

 

His request's audacity was so impressive that she couldn't be too mad. Jake frowned at her, and she arched a brow to encourage him to speak his mind.

 

 

"You don't owe him anything, Manon. We can live without knowing what he and Amy spoke about."

 

 

She shook her head, refusing to drop this thread, and racked her mind for a secret that would satisfy him.

 

 

Nymos: I've looked death in the face, fought him, and walked away the victor. The things I lost in order to defeat him still wake me screaming in the night... Is that good enough?

 

 

Manon ignored Jake's concerned eyes as she stared at the screen and the little bubble that told her Darkness was typing. Her palms were clammy, a slight tremor in her fingers as she clenched the phone in her hand. She glanced at Jake when he turned back to the screen and saw his shoulders were tight, and he was tapping his long fingers on his desk in a repeating pattern as if soothing his nerves. Maybe she shouldn't have said that, he already knew the story, but they never brought it up.

 

 

Darkness: Did it change you? Meeting death?

 

 

Nymos: Of course it did.

 

             Enough with this cryptic shit.

 

             What did you tell Avali?

 

 

Darkness: I think we should talk more sometime. I, too have met death. I'd like to compare our tales.

 

 

Jake came over, sat beside her, and slung an arm around her that she leaned into as Darkness explained all he'd told Amy. It amounted to absolutely nothing new. They already knew the story inside out. Avali had been very hesitant to reveal much and had told him she was asking for a friend, which Darkness hadn't believed. Manon explained this time it was true and decided it was best to tell him Avali was dead. It could shock something valuable out of him.

 

 

Darkness: You are a little unnerving, Nymos. You claim to be this woman's friend, yet you are fishing for information and seem to know very little about her. Now I learn she was killed not long after our discussion. You should tell this story on the forums.

 

 

Nymos: Maybe I will once this is over. I'm trying to find her killer before he can take another life. Did Avali mention anything that seemed unusual to you?

 

 

Darkness: Not at all. We had a short conversation. She seemed to already know the tale.

 

 

It clicked in her head like a light switch, and her thumbs were flying before she could second guess it.

 

 

Nymos: Which secret did she trade for your information?

 

 

She waited with bated breath on his reply, Jake still and tense beside her, and she hoped Darkness' peculiar demand for payment wasn't just for her.

 

 

Darkness: I thought her secret was as false as her other claims... Now I believe there is more truth in it than I hoped. 

 

 

Nymos: Can you get to the point? I don't have time to play 20 questions.

 

 

Darkness: My apologies. It is rare to have such an interesting discussion nowadays. Forgive me for trying to savor every morsel. 

 

 

"He talks like a villain in a play. It would be funny if he wasn't so annoying." She groused to Jake, smiling when he laughed.

 

 

"I don't think he gets out much. He spends most of the day flitting around those forums." Jake replied, and she nodded, turning back to her phone.

 

 

Darkness: She claimed to have helped cover up a crime. One that would've ruined her life because she caused it. She said she was being followed by someone assuming the guise of the Man Without a Face, as was her "friend"...

 

 

Nymos: Tell me, what do you do with these secrets you collect?

 

 

Darkness: They feed my curiosity and let me know someone is serious. It's also cathartic for the ones unburdening themselves of their darkest truths. It is not on me to play judge, jury, and executioner. I'm simply a record keeper.

 

 

Manon asked him for Amy's phone number, ignoring his attempt to question her supposed friendship with the dead woman and thanking him once he'd sent it. Jake typed it into his phone, and she watched as the profile appeared. They turned to look at each other, both thinking the same.

 

 

"The last number on Hannah's call list." She whispered anyway, just to watch him nod and confirm it.

 

 

"If she hadn't set her profile to block new chats, we would've figured that out ages ago," Jake muttered, annoyed.

 

 

Her phone buzzed, and she read Darkness' final message.

 

 

Darkness: Work is calling. Don't be a stranger, Nymos. We have much more to uncover in you. You've spoken to the darkness, and it replied, I'd like to hear all about it. I'll leave it up to you to contact me. 

 

 

Snorting a laugh, she swiped out of the chat and added Amy as a contact before checking her profile photos. Her artwork was incredibly odd. None of the paintings had eyes, empty space, and blank stares that conveyed more than anything else ever could. It looked like an exorcism of her demons and all she'd witnessed. The lack of eyes was a futile attempt to erase all she'd seen. Manon wasn't an expert, but the theme ran through each painting and was disturbing. There was nothing to hint toward Hannah, though.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

"Manon?" Jessy's voice came from behind her.

 

 

She was scrolling through Hannah's phone, reading the recovered messages and increasingly annoyed by the second. Jessy was a welcome distraction. She smiled at her friend, pleased when it was returned.

 

 

"What's up?"

 

 

Jessy sat beside her and fiddled with the pen Manon had set down earlier.

 

 

"I called Richy's dad this morning, and I think something's wrong... I just wanted to know if he'd heard anything from the police, but he brushed me off and said to call back tomorrow after he's dealt with something at home."

 

 

Manon frowned and eyed Jessy, her eyes were a bit red as if she'd been crying, and Manon felt a pang of intense guilt. Jessy put on a brave face each day and seemed okay. Maybe she wasn't looking close enough or had tried not to. She was curious to meet Richy's father anyway, he was a bit of an enigma, and he'd been there the day Richy was taken, had been used to lure Richy into the forest. Her mind made up, she turned to Jessy.

 

 

"Do you want to check in on him tomorrow?"

 

 

Jessy's dull eyes sparked, the hazel turning green for a second as she nodded.

 

 

"I'd love that. I know you're busy, but I didn't want to ask any of the others to come with me." Jessy smiled softly.

 

 

Manon was oddly warmed that Jessy wanted her to go with her and not one of the friends she'd known for years.

 

 

"Okay, we'll do it tomorrow. I need to go into town anyway." Manon said but didn't elaborate, and Jessy didn't ask.

 

 

Jessy skipped off to see what Dan was up to, and Manon decided to ask Cleo about Thomas. She went to the kitchen and found her and Lilly putting the last of the pizza in to cook. Manon didn't bother beating around the bush. The furtive glances they'd been casting her way told her enough about who was the topic of their conversations.

 

 

"Okay, out with it. What's happening with Thomas?" She asked and sat at the island, clasping her hands on the counter as she watched them glance at each other before Cleo replied.

 

 

"We genuinely didn't know, Manon. As far as we knew, they'd had a fight but made up. I haven't seen Thomas today, but I know he's in his room as the food I left for him was eaten."

 

 

Lilly nodded, fire flashing in her eyes, "I never thought they'd split up. But I also didn't think he was a complete idiot. Guess I was wrong."

 

 

"Did Hannah love him as much as I've heard she did?" Manon said, and they both nodded.

 

 

"She did. They were inseparable, and she talked about marrying him. It was like puzzle pieces with them... you and Jake remind me of them." Lilly smiled, and Manon's mouth curled in answer.

 

 

"Yeah, Hannah couldn't fake that kind of bond. It was almost instant. I don't think they'd have been broken up for long if she hadn't been taken." Cleo added. Manon already knew it was more of a break than a proper split.

 

 

"If you're hiding anything else from me, tell me now. Anything could be important, and I'm sick of the surprises." She said authoritatively, tapping into her interrogation voice and stifling a laugh when they shifted nervously on their feet.

 

 

"Nothing. I'll even swear on a bible if it helps." Lilly joked, and Manon chuckled, breaking the sudden tension.

 

 

"My only secret is that my famous cookie recipe came from the back of the box of chocolate chips," Cleo said with a cringe.

 

 

Manon smirked, wishing that was her greatest secret and wondering what it was like not to be burdened by the past. It hung from her neck and weighed her down. Her chat with Darkness had brought some of it back, and she was frantically stuffing it back in its box. It didn't fit like it used to. Cleo accepted her help when it came time to plate and serve the pizzas. Lilly ran one upstairs for Thomas since he was still hiding from Manon. Jake came down to eat, and she grinned at him, winking as he slid into the chair beside hers and immediately leaned over to kiss her cheek, his hot, heavy hand settled in the crease of her thighs. She could almost pretend everything was normal, and the final play in this giant chess game wasn’t rushing toward them at the speed of a freight train.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

That night, her dreams took her back to a scene she'd lived and suffered through more often than she could hope to count. Training with her father. He was brutal, insistent, and hard, but he had done it with love behind every bruise and torn muscle. Ensuring she could protect herself if the worst came to the worst. She'd cursed his name, sworn she hated him, and never wanted to see him again. But she always returned. Even in her sleep, she came back for more. 

 

 

"Come on, Manon. I know you're better than this." Her dad taunted, fists up and not even breaking a sweat, yet she was soaked with it.

 

 

She rolled her eyes, then her shoulders, and lifted her own wrapped hands in a defensive position to block his next hit. 

 

 

"told you, I'm tired. I don't want to fight with you." She said and could hear the whine in her voice. 

 

 

"Someone coming after you won't give a shit if you're tired. You won't be able to stop in a real fight when the exhaustion hits. You have to learn to push through it." Magnus said in a firm tone that made her straighten her spine. He sighed and dropped his hands, coming over to lay them on her shoulders and squeeze as he looked down at her red face.

 

 

"I'm not doing this to hurt you, M. You have to be able to protect yourself. I won't always be there." 

 

 

She felt herself deflate, annoyance leaving her at his earnest eyes. 

 

 

"I know." She huffed and nodded once, "Okay, let's go." 

 

 

Magnus winked at her, that famous smile of his told her she was in for it, but she fell into her familiar stance as he backed away to his side of the ring. She forced her body to go loose and focused on pulling air into her lungs, then out again, over and over, until her mind was blank. She eyed him as he moved into position. He'd taught her time and again to watch her opponent's shoulders when in a fight. You can fake anyone out with a hand, but the shoulder would always give away which fist would come for your face first. 

 

 

"You ready?" Magnus called out, and there was an odd echo to it, a metallic quality she couldn't place.

 

 

"Come on then, old man. I think it's time I break your nose again." She mocked, bouncing lightly on the balls of her feet as her dad barked a laugh.

 

 

"I see that mouth of yours hasn't lost its edge. Let's see if you have." He returned, and she snorted, forcing her emotions away. He wasn't her father in these moments. He was her drill sergeant, and she was a dutiful soldier.

 

 

She kept a close eye on his legs. She had to aim low and fight dirty if she was to beat him. He was massive, tall, and well-built. She was short and slight and had muscle, but he could take her with strength alone. She couldn't rely on strength here. She had to fight dirty and fast. Speed and skill would win, but Magnus always relied on his sheer power. He edged closer, they were circling one another, and he looked frayed around the edges, like TV static, and her confusion almost cost her. His right shoulder twitched ever so slightly a second before his fist came for her jaw. She ducked. Aiming an open palm blow at his sternum, he moved out of range. 

 

 

It was a lethal dance. Both dodging and throwing. She dropped into a crouch the next time his knuckles grazed the top of her head and swiped her leg out in an arc. He jumped over it easily. Manon snarled, popping up and attacking with a flurry of punches he expertly blocked. Her hands were smarting, the wraps cushion only going so far. He looked pleased, though; she could see beads of sweat rolling down his face. The world around them flickered, the ring and the gym disappearing for a moment. Her dad's movements seemed jerky and odd. She put it down to fatigue. They'd been training for hours.

 

 

Her dad cheered and begged for more when she landed her first hit.

 

 

"That's it. Keep 'em coming, M."

 

 

She nodded, sweat trickling down her neck and into her eyes, her hair swinging in its ponytail as she bobbed and weaved, avoiding a hit that would've knocked her out. The fight got dirtier as she raked her nails down his bare arm when he avoided her punch to the nose. He wore only a white tank top and shorts, easy to move in. The room flickered out of focus again, a siren going off in the distance, and she looked to her dad, hoping he could explain. Something was wrong, though. Each time he swung for her, his hands blurred and warped. She opened her mouth to demand they end it. Such tiredness would result in a trip to the hospital.

 

 

"Hit me again, Manon. Remember the time I canceled your phone plan because you snuck out with Steve to see that concert? Good. Here's your chance for revenge."

 

 

Shaking out her hands, she advanced, and he didn't move to block her. Her palm connected with his stomach with a sickeningly wet sound. Her hand came away stained red, and she watched in silent horror as blood bloomed where she’d hit, vivid and far too much of it. She couldn't take her eyes off it as it spread over his white shirt. Still, he moved and threw a hit that went so wide she couldn't believe it had come from him. She wasn't in charge of her own body anymore. Terror and helplessness stole over her mind, and she watched as if from afar as she landed blow after blow on her dad's torso. Each one struck him with the sound of a gunshot, squelching under her hands as blood poured from him. 

 

 

Someone was screaming. It sounded too far away. A woman, she thought. She was unable to figure it out as her dad lumbered toward her, each step marked with the patter of blood splattering the floor of the ring. He aimed for her neck. Missing by a mile, she sobbed as he fell to his knees, lips dripping with scarlet. He was choking on it, but he still demanded she attacked. It didn't matter that she was screaming at herself to stop. Begging a God, any God, to put an end to this so she could help him. A voice that didn't belong cut through her feral hollering.

 

 

"Manon, please wake up. It's just a dream." 

 

 

The shadows in the room all coalesced into one being, swirling and growing until they covered most of the space. Insidious shapes and talons made of pure darkness sliced down her skin as she stared and stared at her hands, the white bandage now soaked with burgundy. Her father was struggling, breath turning shallow and hoarse as she advanced. That familiar voice offered solace and safety. Both things she desperately needed.

 

 

"Follow my voice, Manon. I'm here."

 

 

She wanted to. She knew that voice. Why did she know that voice? She watched her leg lift and swipe as if in slow motion, her foot catching her dad's chin. Her next shout came out like a war cry. Torn from her throat and soul, given sound because it was impossible to articulate the pain and fear she felt as her dad's face collapsed in on itself and she went blind. Her dad's gurgling breath echoed in her ears as she was pulled from unconsciousness and followed that voice home. Somehow, she knew home wasn't a place. It was the person the voice belonged to. That gave her the strength to drag herself out of this nightmare just as the darkness reared up to swallow her whole.

 

 

"That's it, sweetheart. You're okay. You're okay." Jake repeated, sounding like he was consoling himself as well as her.

 

 

Her eyes were screwed shut as she warred between what was real and what wasn't. She was panting, and streams of salt seeped down her cheeks and into her ears. Panic built and swelled as she realized she couldn't move. Eyes open now, she couldn't focus on his face as it hovered inches above hers. He'd pinned her hands above her head and was straddling her hips. Her stomach lurched unpleasantly, saliva flooded her mouth, heat licked up her torso to set her face aflame and her stomach twisted again. She bucked and flailed, trying to shove him off. He caught on, and he rolled off her to let her up. She fell from the bed and bolted to the bathroom. Barely feeling it as her knees cracked against the cold tile floor as she leaned over the toilet and threw up everything in her stomach.

 

 

Jake was there, and she didn't have it in her to be embarrassed as he held her hair back and stroked her back in silent comfort. Gagging and choking as her body emptied itself of her dinner and the fear and horror. Her eyes watered, blurring her vision as she retched and shuddered, nothing but bile coming up. She was still crying, annoyed by it now as the retching slowly came to a stop, and she sucked in air through her teeth. The sourness in her mouth made her stomach flip uneasily, and she steeled herself for more. None came, and once she had the strength to peel her hands off the toilet, she slumped against the wall, leaning her head against it and closing her eyes despite the tears still flowing unbidden. Jake was silent, but she could hear him moving. The tap turned on briefly before he came back, and she sensed him near.

 

 

"Here, drink this. Slowly."

 

 

She cracked open her eyes and clumsily took the glass from him, ignoring the tremor that made some spill over the rim. She sipped delicately at it, testing to see if her stomach would hold or reject it. When it stayed down, she took another sip and swished it around her mouth, leaning over to spit it into the toilet before Jake flushed it and went to the sink again. She didn't have the energy to question him or wonder what he was doing. The glass of water still quivered in her hand. She pressed the cold glass to her feverish forehead, noticing for the first time she was soaked in sweat.

 

 

Time seemed to un-spool like a ball of yarn. Too slowly but then all at once. Her eyes had closed without her input, and when she opened them again, Jake was crouched in front of her, wiping her sweat and tear-streaked face with a damp cloth. Her mouth was bone dry, and she gulped at the water, weakly waving off his concern as it stayed down and exhaustion pricked at the edges of her vision. When she finished the water, she set the glass down on the floor and met his gaze, their azure depths were still clouded by panic and fear. She knew hers were lifeless and cold. She felt like a ghost.

 

 

He didn't push her to explain. Once she was ready, he helped her stand and hovered over her as she sluggishly brushed her teeth and tried to shuffle back to bed. Her limbs were so heavy and sore, like she'd actually been fighting. She caught sight of his bare chest then and thought maybe she had been, and he'd taken the brunt of it. Deep scratches covered his chest and shoulders, some had bled, and the skin was raw. She tried to apologize, but he hushed her. Guilt tried to soak into her mind, but she was too tired, tripping over her own feet as she made to leave the bathroom. Jake caught her before she could begin to fall, arms like steel bands hooking behind her knees and back as he carried her bridal style to the bed.

 

 

The sheets were damp, but she didn't care as he slid in behind her and wrapped her in his arms. Pressing kisses into her neck and giving her the heat of his body as she was freezing cold. She grabbed his hand, resting it between her breasts as her body slowly stopped shaking. She could feel his heart beating against her bare back and silently counted the steady thumps, letting it calm hers and hopefully ease her back into sleep. A dreamless one this time. He murmured gentle words to calm her and make sure she knew she was safe. I love you, I love you, I love you whispered against her neck as she fell into a dead sleep. Still clutching his hand. She wasn't aware that Jake woke each time she so much as twitched or breathed too loudly, each sound having the effect of a warning siren to him as he worried over her. She looked forward to the day her past stopped haunting her. Still hopeful that day would come despite evidence suggesting otherwise.

Notes:

I hope you enjoyed this, and thank you for any kudos or comments you might leave. I appreciate you, and you build me up on bad days.

This chapter actually had an entirely different outline, but Manon took charge, and I got this instead. Sometimes you have to give them the reins and hope for the best lol

Anyway, I shall update my Game of Thrones fic next and then get working on the second chapter of my new Duskwood AU! I'm very excited about all my stories now they're all out in the world. I can't wait to dig into them all. The next update for this won't be too far away. Manon doesn't let me ignore her for long.

Chapter 25: We might just get away with it, the altar is my hips, even if it’s a false god

Summary:

Jake wakes alone and knows Manon is hiding from him. He won't allow that. We go in to town and meet Paul Rogers. Then Manon and Jake remind themselves they're alive and the past isn't now!

Notes:

I wasn’t expecting to update this yet, but they got too loud, so I gave in. I hope you enjoy it and thank you for your support! It’s so lovely to see, and I take none of it for granted.

I like to give Jake's side of things like Manon's nightmare. We saw how he reacted to her distress, but we didn't know what he was thinking or feeling. He knew what she needed from him, so he didn't push her. I hope it's not annoying to read a bit more about it. I just really love to get into their thoughts and emotions. They're so intertwined by now that whatever affects one affects the other.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text



25

 

 

I know heavens a thing

I go there when you touch me, honey

Hell is when I fight with you

But we can patch it up good

Make confessions

And we’re beggin' for forgiveness

Got the wine for you


And I can’t talk to you when you’re like this

Staring out the window

Like I’m not your favourite town

I'm New York City 

I still do it for you, babe

They all warned us about times like this

They say the road gets hard

And you get lost when you're led by blind faith

 

But we might just get away with it

Religion's in your lips

Even if it's a false God

We'd still worship

We might just get away with it

The altar is my hips

Even if it's a False God

We'd still worship this love”

 

False God – Taylor Swift

*******

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jake

 

The visions of the night gave way to day as Jake blinked the last vestiges of sleep away and realized he’d woken up alone. It was strange how fast he’d gotten used to having Manon there, but now waking up alone felt wrong, and after last night, it worried him even more. He’d known she’d retreat into herself but had hoped she wouldn’t. Sighing, he slowly sat up, cracking his neck and rolling his stiff shoulders. He glanced down at the claw marks marring his chest, his heart kicking up at the physical proof of their disturbed night. Rising from the bed, he quickly got showered and dressed before heading downstairs to seek out Manon, lay eyes on her, and assure himself she hadn’t bolted.

 

Exhaustion clung to his skin and bones, weighing him down and making his brain sluggish and useless. He’d barely slept after Manon had woken him from the depths of sleep. All he’d felt was her arm slamming across his chest, her legs kicking and getting knotted up in sheets he soon realized were wet. Soaked with sweat, he found out as he blinked the grit from his eyes and tried to make sense of what was happening. Were they being attacked? She was, but not by any foe he could physically fight for her. A pitiful whimper he’d never heard her make slapped the fatigue out of him, and he sat up, throwing off the sheets to survey her.

 

Tears ran down her face mixing with the sweat that had made her hair damp. His heart thumped furiously as he tried to figure out what to do when she exploded into movement. He straddled her as she kicked and flailed, barely avoiding a knee to the groin as her hands turned to claws and raked down his shoulders and chest. The pain didn’t even register. All he could think of was getting her out, and he realized he was yelling. The next time her hands came up to strangle him, he grabbed her wrists and pinned them above her head, not caring if he got hurt, but he knew she’d hate that she’d done it. The words she was slurring through her teeth, clenched so tight he feared they’d shatter, finally made it to his ears over the roar of his blood.

 

“It’s my fault…. He’s dying.”

 

Could a heart break under the weight of someone else’s pain? He wouldn’t have thought so, but the biting, burning sensation in his chest told him otherwise as she sobbed, “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, dad.” He knew she still blamed herself, but to see how it tormented her? He didn’t think it ran that deep and cursed himself for not trying harder when she told him not to tell her it wasn’t her fault. Still, she writhed and moaned, not in the way he had become accustomed to, this was pain. Agony so severe and deeply rooted that it still had the power to render her into a creature of pure emotion and reaction.

 

Scars littered her body, both real and emotional. The ones inside still bled. Her heart was so strong that it kept the supply of blood going to those terrible wounds all these years later. In the daylight hours, she had learned how to bend the metal bars of her past that caged her in, whispering sweet nothings, asking them to let her live without constantly being broken down by all she’d seen. But at night, that control was gone. The bars had snapped together, and she was trapped in a nightmare she must’ve lived a thousand times before this. When she was with him, she raged against those bars, teeth snapping as she twisted them to free herself. But even he hadn’t been enough to keep the ghosts at bay that night. He had half a mind to hunt Darkness down and make him apologize for triggering her.

 

It seemed to last an eternity, but he knew it was only a few minutes. Then she’d screamed, howled, really. He could still hear it ringing in his ears as he sat at the kitchen island and watched her flit around making coffee. There was no sign of that pain today. She’d locked it away behind mile-thick steel walls, an impenetrable fortress he’d have no hope of entering if he forced her to talk. So he watched, and he waited. When he’d walked in, she’d greeted him and bid him to sit down, ignoring the concern evident in his gaze.

 

She asked if he wanted anything to eat, but he turned it down, wanting her to sit down and chill out. He’d expected this. He knew she had to keep moving, staying so busy that by the time she fell into bed, her mind was too tired to torture her. But he wasn’t sure how long she’d manage that now. Guilt ate him alive, convinced somehow that he took part of the blame by asking her to get involved in saving Hannah in the first place. She’d slap him if she knew, but he couldn’t help it. Her eyes had been haunted and dead as he’d wiped the tears from her face last night. He couldn’t stand that thousand-yard stare. Those eyes should only show joy, pleasure, and love, not despair and the complete annihilation of her soul.

 

She stirred sugar into her coffee, and he saw the slight tremor in her hand as she set the spoon down before carrying her coffee over to sit beside him. Everyone else in the house was either still sleeping or, in Cleo’s case, out running. He had his phone open, tracking her, and she was sticking close to the house. Manon settled into the chair beside him and drank deeply from her cup, sitting it on the counter and cupping her hands around it. It was a warm day, the house wasn’t cold, but she might’ve been. He waited her out. Staying silent was a trick she used with him, and he almost felt her break as the silence grew thick and every tiny sound seemed magnified to ear splitting levels.

 

“Okay, out with it.” She whispered, eyes trained on her coffee as he glanced at her profile.

 

He shifted, leaning his elbow on the counter and turning to face her, resting his chin on his fist.

 

“How are you feeling?” He asked the only question he wanted an answer to.

 

He saw her body tense, jaw going taut as she tapped her fingers on the mug she was holding. Shit. He should’ve phrased that a different way. He refused to let his doubts show on his face as she slid her eyes to him. There was a ghost of the fear he’d seen last night in her vivid gaze, but the spark and fire that had drawn him to her were blazing again. Seeing it again settled something inside him that had been pacing along his rib cage all night, waiting for another gasp or breathy whimper. He watched her slowly melt as she found only understanding and love in his own eyes.

 

She sighed, almost a decade of sheer exhaustion released in that breath.

 

“I don’t feel great, I never do… after, but it’ll pass.” She said hesitantly, forcing a smile that he hated on sight. As if she thought that sharing her real emotions was something she had to tiptoe around or a sign of weakness.

 

He reached out with his free hand, catching hold of hers when she lifted it to start picking at her nails.

 

“Don’t hide from me, Manon. You can pretend with everyone else. I don’t care. But not with me.” He murmured, low and deadly serious.

 

He could almost see the steel walls begin to splinter and fracture, the demons holding her trapped peeking out from behind the cracks. They slunk around in the shadows of her sea-glass eyes. His phone vibrated to warn him Cleo was returning to the house. He knew Manon would shut down when she walked inside, so he stepped down from his chair and told her to follow him, pocketing his phone before taking her to their room.

 

Safely inside their sanctuary, he led her to the bed and sank down. Manon arched a brow but followed his lead and sat beside him. He kept hold of her hand and hunted for the words as she grew tense and looked like to run if he said the wrong thing.

 

“I don’t need you to pretend you’re whole for me. I want to be a part of the destruction. You’re not okay, I can see it, Manon. Let me help. You don’t have to carry it alone.”

 

She blinked once, and it was as if the shutters had been lifted. He watched as she worried at her bottom lip with her teeth, and her eyes roamed the room for too long before settling back on him, and she nodded.

 

“I prefer not to... dwell on it. It doesn’t happen as often now, and nobody usually sees it when it does.” She said in a flat tone, shaking her head as she looked away and breathed through her nose.

 

“Hey, look at me,” He said gently, squeezing her hand and smiling softly to ease the panic he could sense building in her, “I’m here. I’m not going anywhere, either. We’ve both got baggage, Manon. We can’t let it get in between us and damage us too. I won’t let you make me your future history.”

 

Her eyes were lined with silver by the time he finished, and she let her head fall on his shoulder. He hugged her, knowing she wasn’t hiding but seeking comfort. Manon took a shuddering breath, and he listened as she swallowed thickly, her shoulders shaking with the effort. He listened when she spoke, rubbed circles into her back as she let it go.

 

“I kill him every time. No matter where we are, it’s always me. I can’t stop it. All I can do is watch and feel it. Over and over and over again. Sometimes, I still feel his blood under my nails and on my skin... Each time I start to think I’m free, it drags me back in.” She confessed each word punctuated by a crackling hitch in her voice that killed him more than seeing her lost in the midst of it as she’d fought against him.

 

He’d never been good with words. He’d always known that but didn’t even have to think this time.

 

“I don’t have to tell you that you’re strong, you are, but you shouldn’t have to be. I can’t tell you it’ll ever stop hurting, but you can stop hurting yourself, Manon. The blame isn’t yours to bear. It never was. You don’t have to believe me now. But it’s true.”

 

She didn’t reply, but he didn’t need her to. Only needed her to hear him. He felt the first tears leak from her eyes and soak through his shirt, tightening his hold on her and burying his nose in her hair. Letting her get it all out before she had to face the world again. Outside the window, the sun blazed brightly, as static as a photograph as they held on and hoped for better days.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Manon

 

 

“So, Uhm, I heard something last night. Screaming. And not the usual fun kind I hear sometimes.” Jessy chuckled awkwardly, and Manon fought back a blush. She’d hoped they’d been asleep and hadn’t heard her.

 

She cleared her throat, staring out the windshield as she replied, “Yeah, sorry. Nightmare. I, ah, I didn’t mean to wake you.”

 

Manon caught Jessy nodding as she slowed the car and left the safety of the forest to enter Duskwood.

 

“Do you remember the nightmare I told you I had been having again?” Jessy asked stunning Manon, who’d expected her friend to question her. It took her a moment, her brain wasn’t firing on all cylinders, but she remembered.

 

“The one where you’re screaming for your friends, but they can’t hear you?” She asked.

 

“Yes, that one. It’s happening more often since Richy was taken. But what helps is knowing that I have so many people that care about me, and they will hear me when I scream... and so do you, Manon.” Jessy said, smiling when Manon met her eye.

 

Manon had cried more in the past 24 hours than she had in months, years maybe, but she could feel that telltale sting in her eyes as she looked at the road again. Following the route that would take them to Rogers Garage, she willed them away and smiled her first genuine smile, touched and grateful for Jessy.

 

“I know. Thank you, Jessy.” It was all she could think to say, but Jessy beamed anyway and winked before sobering up as they pulled into the Junkyard.

 

The place looked like a ghost town. Piles of junk and half-built cars littered the ample space. It was a veritable treasure trove of spare parts, a seasoned mechanic’s version of heaven. And yet, it all seemed dead and empty. The garage itself was shuttered and closed. Jessy was frowning at the huge hand-painted sign that told them it had been closed down for the foreseeable future.

 

“Something is definitely wrong. I don’t think they’ve ever closed the shop before.” Jessy whispered nervously as Manon parked and cut the power.

 

They quickly got out of the car, and Manon let Jessy lead the way so she could scan their surroundings and ensure they were alone. The last time any of them had come here, Richy had been taken, and she wasn’t taking a risk by being too complacent. Jake had watched her arm herself to the teeth, guns, and knives, urging her to wear a vest despite the heat. Neither of them had wanted to let the other out of their sight after everything that morning, but she had no time for a breakdown. Jessy shook her head before turning to Manon.

 

“We should go to the house. It’s just round back.”

 

Manon agreed, and they made their way around the huge building. Rusting metal and the scent of motor oil and spilled gasoline permeated the air. It grew less cloying as they approached the small house hidden behind it. It looked to be all one level, and the windows were thick with the dusty dirt caking everything else in the Junkyard. A tiny overgrown garden peeked over the rotting, broken fence and gate Jessy pushed open for them. It creaked and complained but didn’t collapse into splinters, much to Manon’s surprise. Jessy knocked on the door, she’d grown more anxious as they’d gotten closer, and she was practically bouncing while they waited.

 

Just when they thought no one was home, the door opened a crack, and Manon caught a glimpse of messy grey hair and an older man dressed in all black. His eyes narrowed on her before he noticed Jessy. Surprise lit up his dark eyes as Jessy explained why they were there.

 

“I see. Come in then,” Paul replied, his voice ringing a bell in Manon’s head.

 

Paul held the door open, stepping aside to let them enter, and locked it before following them into the cramped living room. Manon eyed the room. Family photos and knickknacks cluttered the mantlepiece and walls. It wasn’t tidy, but it wasn’t dirty either. A few empty stained mugs loitered on the coffee table, and a stack of old newspapers lay crumpled and folded across the table. There was a musty scent, and the air felt heavy and ancient, as if the windows hadn’t been opened in weeks. Jessy looked pained as she took it in, and Manon surmised it was usually kept neat and free of debris. They both sat down on the small loveseat, and Manon glanced out the dirt smeared window as Richy’s dad lowered himself into the only armchair. The TV played quietly in the background, some talk show that filled the heavy silence for a long moment before Jessy spoke.

 

“I’m so sorry I haven’t come sooner, Paul. We’ve been busy trying to find Richy and Hannah.” Jessy said, and Manon watched from the corner of her eye as Paul replied.

 

“There’s no need to apologize. I haven’t been up to receiving guests, so really, you did me a favor.”

 

Manon somehow kept from startling as she recognized him. Paul was a stocky man, not as tall as his son but not far off. His grey hair looked unkempt like he’d given up caring how it looked, and the dark circles under his eyes would rival Jake’s when he got lost in a project. She’d seen him before. That day she and Jake went shopping. He seemed nervous, but Manon was a stranger to him, and he couldn’t have missed the badge around her neck or the guns at her hips. She tried not to stare at him too much, but he was a sorry sight. It was easy to spot another broken person. Hollow eyes and wrinkled clothes, smudges of pain lingering over their skin.

 

“How is Everly? This must be so hard on her.” Jessy asked, and Manon filed Richy’s mom’s name away so she could research her later. She’d asked Jessy what Richy’s mom’s illness was, but even she had no idea. Richy’s secrets were another annoyance, but they could do nothing about it.

 

“She’s struggling with it. I had to ask the hospital to help, and she’s moved into inpatient care for now. It was easier for all of us.” Paul said, voice heavy with guilt and regret.

 

“I’m so sorry. I know it’s hard for you, but could you maybe tell us what happened the day Richy was taken? We still have no idea how it all happened.” Jessy kept her voice light and gentle, just as Manon had told her on the drive here. Manon acted as a silent observer, and Jessy led the show since she knew the family. Paul considered Jessy’s question. Manon tried not to stare as he still seemed on edge.

 

“I had been in the shop, doing an oil change on a customers car, when I heard someone creep up behind me. I felt something cold and hard press against the back of my head,” Paul paused, and Manon bit her tongue to stop herself from demanding he hurry it up. Paul took a deep breath before continuing, “he told me to do as he said or he’d kill my family and me. I didn’t have a choice.”

 

Jessy’s lip trembled a bit, but she forged on, and Manon was proud of her.

 

“Did he ever mention why he wanted Richy?”

 

Paul shook his head, glancing at Manon again, “No. Just that he had a debt to pay. I was just the lure.”

 

Jessy opened her mouth to speak, but Paul frowned and looked at Manon.

 

“Who are you? I don’t believe Richy ever mentioned you.”

 

Manon forced a smile, “He wouldn’t have. I haven’t known him very long, but he was staying with our other friends and me.”

 

“He wouldn’t even tell me where he was going, only that it was life or death. I guess he should’ve stayed here.” He said, and there was a note of reproach in his voice that told Manon he resented her.

 

Jessy looked nervous, and she could almost feel Paul clamming up. He’d be useless to them if she didn’t excuse herself.

 

“Would you mind if I used your bathroom, Paul? It’s a long drive back.” She asked and saw the relief settle in the relaxing of his tense jaw.

 

Paul agreed and told her where it was. She moved through the house feeling like an apparition. She wasn’t entirely with it. She really just wanted to be home with Jake, erase the darkness in her with the light in his eyes each time he looked at her. After locking the door, she surveyed the small space. It wasn’t fancy, only containing the shower that had been adapted for use by Richy’s mom. A small sink with a medicine cabinet above it and the toilet were all that was there. She didn’t actually need to use it, so she let herself be nosey and crept over to the sink, catching sight of herself in the smudged mirror.

 

She carefully opened the cabinet and eyed its contents. So many pill bottles crowded the tiny space. Aspirin, prescriptions of painkillers, relaxants and sleeping pills all huddled together like a little orange and white army. She scanned the labels and saw most were prescribed to Everly, and some bottles were almost empty. Oily fingerprints marred most of them, and she could imagine Paul or Richy coming home after work to administer them. Her heart twisted. Richy had a hard life for someone who had appeared to be the embodiment of summer sunshine. The most interesting thing to her was the many half-used bottles of antiseptic and well used rolls of surgical tape and bandages.

 

Manon quickly snapped some photos of it all and quietly closed the cabinet before flushing the toilet. She turned the tap on the sink and crouched over the wastebasket under the sink. There wasn’t much inside it. Some crumpled tissues and an old bandage. She held her breath when she spotted rusty bloodstains on the dressing. It wasn’t much, just enough to show the wound still bled when the bandage was changed. She supposed a mechanic would be liable to injure themselves, but something told her to take it. Shoving it in her pocket, she shut off the tap and left the bathroom.

 

As she entered the living room, she saw Paul slip his phone into the pocket of his hoodie as Jessie came out of the kitchen carrying a cup of coffee which she handed to Paul. Manon noted her expression then. Her smile hung crooked, unsure, and there was a shake in her hand as Paul took the cup from her. Jessy’s other arm was locked around her midriff, and when Manon went to sit back down, Jessy stopped her.

 

“Manon, we should go. We have that appointment soon.”

 

Manon didn’t think twice, spooked by her friend’s strange demeanor, and simply nodded. Allowing Jessy to say their goodbyes, she headed for the front door, expecting Paul to follow them, but he didn’t. Jessy rushed down the hall and urged Manon to open the door before calling over her shoulder.

 

“We’ll let you know if we hear anything, Paul.”

 

Neither of them heard Paul’s reply as Jessy slammed the door and they raced back the car. Manon waited until they were peeling out the lot to demand answers.

 

“What the fuck was that, Hawkins?”

 

Jessy’s hands were shaking as she pulled something from under her top. It was a small black book. The time-worn cover was cracked and peeling, the title barely discernible as she concentrated on the road ahead. Jessy was breathless as she explained.

 

“I opened the wrong drawer looking for a spoon and found this hidden under a stack of bills. It’s the book of legends from the library... why does he have it?”

 

Manon was almost numb to the shock of a new development now, her voice calm as she replied.

 

“Would Richy have taken it out?” Even though she knew Richy would’ve told them when they’d tried to check it out, she still had to ask.

 

“No. He would’ve kept it in his room.”

 

Manon nodded, not wanting to believe it, but what else could it be?

 

“Maybe Paul is more involved than we thought.”

 

They fell silent as they crawled through Duskwood, the town bustling as tourists had begun to arrive early for the festival. Neither wanted to voice the concerns rattling through their heads and what it all meant. Manon could hardly concentrate as she stopped in at the pharmacy to pick up a bottle of ibuprofen, stopping in the sexual health aisle and grabbing a few items to take her mind off the chaos brewing inside her chest. She didn’t dare to leave Jessy alone too long and soon made it back to the car, driving as fast as she could to get them home.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

They were dying to tell the others what they’d found as they came through the front door, but it was as if they had walked into a freezer. The air felt so cold and piercing Manon was afraid to breathe too loudly. Something had happened. She glanced at Jessy, who clutched the book tighter to her chest as they walked into the living room and found everyone waiting for them. Her eyes found Jake before she saw anything else. Seeing the unease on his face made her straighten her spine and actually take in the scene. Lilly was stuck to Jake’s side, and Cleo looked put out and tired. Thomas had finally left the confines of his self imposed exile and actually met her eye. She saw regret and fear in his eyes, and even Dan looked discomfited. He was quiet, which told her how serious this was when Cleo took the lead and pointed to the coffee table. Manon’s brows lifted as she saw the unfamiliar gun lying there.

 

“Manon, I found this earlier while searching for something to light a candle with. Is it yours?”

 

Manon walked over and picked it up, feeling the weight of everyone’s eyes on her, but she only met Jake’s concerned gaze. She looked away to check the magazine, fully loaded. She placed it back down and stared at each of her friends.

 

“It’s not mine. Mine are locked away. I’d never own such a terrible weapon.” She said to keep herself from demanding they answer for it.

 

“I said she wouldn’t leave them lying around for us to find,” Dan said, trying to break the tension, but it was too late for that.

 

“Anyone want to own up?” Manon said sharply, watching as they shifted and shook their heads.

 

She knew it wasn’t Jake’s. He carried a blade whenever he was running. She heaved a sigh, crossing her arms and glaring at them.

 

“Really? Brave enough to bring it here but not enough to admit it?” She shook her head and picked it back up.

 

They watched her in complete silence as she emptied the gun of ammunition.

 

“It wouldn’t hurt for us all to be armed.” Dan piped up, causing Manon to arch a brow and put him at the top of her suspect list.

 

“Someone untrained is more likely to kill themselves or a friend than an intruder.” She stated, trying to keep her voice even.

 

“I know how to shoot.” Dan retorted, and Manon chuckled darkly.

 

“You sure it isn’t yours? I’m not going to be mad if it is. Your safety is the top priority, and I can’t have you shooting each other for every little bump in the night. I just want to know whose it is so I can ease your worries.”

 

Still, no one answered. Manon rolled her eyes and gave up. Interrogating them wasn’t the way. They’d only dig their heels in deeper.

 

“It’s definitely not mine. I can’t stand guns.” Cleo said, and Lilly and Jessy nodded.

 

“Well, you don’t have to worry about it. I’m locking it away.” Manon replied and stalked away, taking the gun up to her room.

 

Once it was in the safe alongside her weapons, she locked it and shrugged off the vest. A weight lighting from her as she dropped it to the floor. She placed the bag from the pharmacy on her nightstand and waited for Jake to find her, knowing he would. He arrived after she’d taken off her shoes and slumped down on the bed, her arms covering her eyes. When she sensed him beside her, standing over her, she lowered her arms and listened to him.

 

“Jessy said you found something at Paul Rogers.”

 

She smirked, “As if you weren’t listening the whole time, over potective fool.” She teased and delighted in the bashful smile he gave her.

 

“True. But tell me anyway.” He said as he shoved her over and onto her side so he could spoon her.

 

She wriggled her ass against his crotch and smiled when he huffed a laugh, kissing the spot below her ear that made her shiver.

 

“Paul had the sought-after book of legends hidden in his kitchen. His bathroom was filled with prescription meds and a bloody bandage. He’s hiding something big.”

 

Jake was quiet for a long moment, whispering in her ear as if afraid to be overheard.

 

“It’s possible that the person who had it originally finally returned it, and he merely checked it out after he was used to trap his son.”

 

She nodded, “It is. But my gut tells me that’s not it.”

 

Sunlight poured through the windows, gilding them with honey as they pondered it all and pieced it in with everything else they knew. Her intuition told her everything was about to change, and she wasn’t confident she was ready for it. But change never arrived swaddled in cashmere blankets and gentle currents. It came as a storm, scouring everything that was to make room for what should be. A calm sea never produced a skilled sailor. It always hurt, and they would bleed for their efforts. Bleeding meant growth and new beginnings. How they handled it was up to them, and she was determined to grab it in both fists. She wouldn’t allow it to take anything or anyone else from her.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

He was asleep when she got into their room. The sheets were pulled down to his waist, baring every glorious inch of his bare chest for her eyes to feast on. She admired him for a long, long moment. Wanting nothing more than to wake him and banish the memories of her last night, replace them with something that would keep him warm instead. But she didn’t. He had looked dead on his feet after dinner. She’d all but dragged him upstairs when he’d attempted to join them all in watching a movie after a very edgy dinner with their friends. Instead, she painstakingly began to undress, trying not to make too much noise. Once her bra and underwear joined the rest of her clothes on the floor, she crawled into bed, careful not to jostle him. She settled on her side, facing him, watching his profile as he dreamed. 

 

She wished to say so many things to him, but fear of tempting fate stilled her tongue. He knew she loved him. Loved him with a fierceness and possessiveness that she’d never felt before. Mindless and primal, like a wolf with its mate. He didn’t deserve the baggage she lugged around with her, but she was selfish enough to let him help her carry it. Sighing, she forced her dour thoughts away and slowly lifted her hand to ghost her fingers over the sharp line of his cheekbone, unable to resist touching him. He didn’t react. His eyes were moving under his lids as he dreamed. She hoped they were pleasant ones.

 

She settled down, sinking deeper into her soft pillow, resting her hand on his chest to feel the steady beat of his heart to ease her to sleep. Despite closing her eyes and focusing on breathing deeply, her mind was alive, and she couldn’t catch hold of the faint wisps of sleep dangling out of reach. She’d known this would happen, it always did after a particularly intense and realistic nightmare. Her own heart was in step with his. It comforted her enough to quiet her thoughts enough to slip into that boundary between sleep and waking. 

 

Flashes of images and memories that went by too quickly to snatch them and make sense of them. She was alert enough to feel him turn and feel his arm slip around her waist. She didn’t open her eyes, though. Sure he was still asleep and had only sensed her body’s heat and had instinctively moved toward it. Then his fingers dug in slightly and again. She knew it was deliberate but wanted to see what he’d do. All thoughts of sleep fled from her, and she was alert and waiting. His sleep thick voice soon put an end to her acting. She’d never been good at waiting anyway. 

 

“I know you’re awake, Manon.” 

 

She smiled, eyes open and seeking his, “I didn’t mean to wake you.” 

 

“You didn’t, I had tried to wait for you, but I guess I was more tired than I thought.” He murmured, one side of his mouth turning up. 

 

He was awake now, nothing to stop her, so she leaned over and kissed him. She meant it to be gentle, a searching kiss to soothe her fraying edges and remind herself she wasn’t alone. She made to pull back, trying to ignore the selfish part of her that wanted to take all that he was willing to give her, but he drew her closer. The hand at her waist slid down her back at a languid pace, traveling over the curve of her ass and squeezing it hard enough that she opened her mouth on a gasp, and he took complete control.

 

Suddenly, she was on her back, his weight pressing her down into the mattress as he taunted her mouth and pushed a knee between her thighs. She was already growing wet, the slide of his tongue and slight friction of his knee kindling the desire she’d tried so hard to stuff down. She hadn’t believed heaven existed until him. The world they lived in was hell, but he was her peace and her power. Neither of them had truly needed the other. They’d carved out lives on their own and could’ve gone on that way forever. But they’d chosen each other. They wanted each other. And wasn’t that what everyone was searching for? She hadn’t had to look for it. It had come for her.

 

That sweet desperation still existed between them. Both felt compelled to grasp and steal, tear and rend, crawl inside each other until they couldn’t tell who was who. The darkness in her hastily patched-up heart speaking in a secret language to the darkness in his, one she knew she could never speak with anyone else. It was the only time they truly felt free. They had so little time left to snatch these moments together, alone and unobserved, only feeling and loving, not worrying about the burdens and lives relying on them. She often felt as if she’d been stripped bare of her skin, every part of her exposed to his ravenous eyes as lust turned them into burning black pools. It was enough to drive her mad, and she’d give into it willingly if it did.

 

He nipped at her lips, and the heat between them simmered over. He’d been half hard when he’d rolled them over, but now he was steel against her belly, so hot and thick her inner walls clenched to remind her he should be buried inside her. She was so attuned to him by now she could sense an urgency behind his kiss and wondered if maybe he needed to remind himself that they were alive too. She dug her nails into his back, canting her hips and urging him to move. He didn’t give in to her. She chased his lips as he broke away, looking down at her flushed face as he shattered her and put her back together.

 

“I just needed you to know that I don’t love you only for this,” He murmured, hand curling around her breast and squeezing firmly so she arched into it before going on, “I want it all. The good and the bad. For better or worse. This is just a bonus.”

 

There was a lump in her throat, but she managed to speak around it, hoping she wasn’t jinxing everything.

 

“I know. I just want you. For however long we have, I want everything and never want you to hold back. Here or in life. I love all of you.”

 

Jake smiled before capturing her lips in his, speaking the words directly to her soul as their hands roamed over soft curves and hard muscle, blunt nails scraping over the curve of her ass. She sighed into his mouth as he gripped her waist and rolled onto his back, dragging her across his chest. Splitting her thighs and straddling him to grind on the hard length she felt sliding against her folds. Her hot hands clutched his shoulders as his tongue moved against hers, and his fingers delved into the cleft of her ass to dabble in the wetness pooling there. He moved with her, both seeking friction, and she felt as if he’d set her aflame, a fire that didn’t burn her, only made her feel as if she was melting into his skin, drowning in him. 

 

An idea struck her then. She wanted to show him the same care he always showed her. It was a craving that had her moaning with the next slide of his cock against her slick cunt. She wanted to taste him, make him feel as unhinged as she did each time he used his mouth on her. Breaking the kiss, she smirked as she slowly sat back on her haunches, trailing her fingers down his torso as he looked at her quizzically. He was a work of art to her, every inch designed for her hands, teeth, and tongue. The scratches on his skin, caused by her, threatened to douse the fire in her core, but she refused to allow it. Deciding instead to kiss it better.

 

“Stay still, Jake. Let me take care of you.” She breathed, rocking her hips to counter the burn.

 

Jake swallowed hard and nodded, a spark catching in his lust addled eyes. She smiled wickedly before turning her attention to making him feel loved. Slowly, she began to explore. Using her hands and fingers to start, mapping his soft skin and watching the muscle jump and bunch under her touch. Taunting and playing with him, power settling over her skin at having control when he usually held the reins. She lowered her head, dragging her mouth over him by inches, finding no give in his skin but enjoying his musky taste as she pressed open-mouthed kisses over each scratch. Reaching under her pillow for the bottle she’d hidden there earlier.

 

He was already breathing hard, and she’d barely touched him. It was intoxicating knowing she could make him tremble as she opened the bottle of lube, poured some in her hand, and returned to work. Soon, she found that trail of dark hair and followed it with a fingertip to wrap her slippery fist around his rigid cock. Nestled between his thighs, she eyed her prize, then up to his face. His body was as tense as a bowstring. He’d curled his hands into the sheets, knuckles bone white in the silver moonlight bathing their bodies as she teased him, each twist of her wrist at the tip making him suck air in through clenched teeth. He looked torn between telling her she didn’t have to do this and reaching out to hurry her along. 

 

She held his gaze and stroked her hand over him, watching his hips jerk with each pass. Her free hand held him down, pushing on his hip with strength, though she knew he was only humoring her. She could see him growing impatient with her and knew it was only a matter of time before he destroyed her illusion of control and made her beg. She lowered her head and licked a long line up the lovely length of him before taking the head of his cock into her mouth and swirling her tongue around it. Her hand moved up and down, as she played with him. He was so hard and thick she couldn’t take all of him at once. She pursed her lips and hollowed her cheeks as she worked her way down in a taut, wet glide and felt him hit the back of her throat, eyes watering as he sobbed and groaned. She backed off and focused on the head again, eyes on him as he flinched and twitched with her every movement, a rough groan as she used her other hand to cup his balls and gently massage them. 

 

He tasted like sex and a slight hint of lube, but underneath it all, she could detect his unique scent. Salt and musk were heavy on her tongue as she stole the drop of moisture gathering at the tip. Pressing her thighs together, desperate not to make this about her, she was soaked, so turned on by his reaction that it was nearly painful. She worked him into her mouth, sucking him down deep and feeling him in her throat, eyes watering at the urge to gag before she managed to relax. She swallowed around him, and again, hand still twisting lightly as he flailed, moaning her name, barely audible over the gravel in his voice. His hands were soon in her hair, guiding her movements and forcing her to back off as he sobbed and twitched. 

 

She wanted to feel him come in her mouth, wanted to taste all of him, but the fire in her belly and the wetness coating her inner thighs grew increasingly harder to ignore. The sight of him unraveling was almost too much to bear. He must’ve sensed the need in her, or she’d made some sound to alert him as she used her hands and mouth to pleasure him because the fingers in her hair tightened and tried to lift her off. His voice cut through the smoke turning her mind into a desire-filled haze. 

 

“Come here, Manon.” He growled an order, not a question. The part of her that loved to be conquered and owned sat up and listened even if she didn’t.

 

She didn’t halt her movements but met his eye, arching a brow in question as he jerked into her mouth and stole her next breath. 

 

“I know what you need. Turn about.” He said and licked his lips, eyes burning as they watched her work. 

 

Her lust crazed mind took a moment to catch on as he let go of her hair and nudged her with his thigh. Black excitement turned her legs to water as she clumsily did as he’d asked and let him go for now. She was already trembling as she settled her knees on either side of his head and lowered her torso down to his body, resuming her task before he could make her forget what she was doing. She’d barely begun when his skilled tongue traced the seam of her and opened her up to sample her essence. His fingers were firm and unyielding as they wrapped around her thighs to keep her trapped. She did her best to keep going, tightening her lips around him, as tight as her cunt as she moved over him and then skimming her tongue around the crown and swallowing him down. He would never let her win; for once, she wasn’t angry to lose. 

 

The gentle laving of his tongue was enough to distract her as he tried to clean her mess away. Still, he only made it worse, each glide of his tongue causing a new torrent of nectar to soak his beard. It wasn’t a delicate tasting, like always, it was all-consuming, and she knew she’d break before him. He circled her clit with the tip of his tongue, feather-light flicking against the small bundle of nerves that made her whine and moan, the sound muffled around his cock. 

 

The hands holding her captive would leave bruises behind, and she gloried in it, rocking her hips back on his face, addicted to the scratch of his beard against her tender, swollen flesh. Even the sounds as he sucked her clit into his mouth stoked the flames inside her. Lewd and vulgar, little groans and growls as he devoured her and drank her essence down, more sliding down his throat with every pass of his sinful tongue. When he grazed his teeth over her clit, she forgot all about him, freeing her mouth and dropping her head in a warbling moan as her hand lazily stroked him out of rhythm. 

 

She could feel him smiling as he probed her entrance, his hot tongue pushing inside and out again, returning to her clit until she was quivering and sure her knees had turned to jelly. He eased off as she felt the warning pulse of release, the pleasure was a dense mass low in her belly that she couldn’t ignore, and she was a little annoyed at how fast he could unravel her.

 

She gave herself a shake and concentrated on him. Taking him in her mouth again and redoubled her efforts, hand curling around the base and twisting gently as she bobbed and sucked in her cheeks on her way back up. But then he buried his face in her folds and began to devour her, one hand let go of her thigh, but she couldn’t see what he was doing. She felt the cold drip, drip of lube slip down the cleft of her ass a second before his fingers dipped in and spread it around, quickly warming to her skin. Her mind caught on, and she hissed, nails biting into his thigh as he gently probed her other entrance with his finger. 

 

He’d touched her there before, careful, cautious feints, teasing but never entering. She’d flatly denied her ex to fuck her or touch her there. But this time, she didn’t edge away or snarl at him to stop. Instead, she accepted and absorbed the odd sensation. The mix of discomfort and pleasure made her twitch in his hold, and her next cry was cut with a sound of pure distress. A thread of need raced through her veins, making her quake and turning her mindless. More. She wanted more.

 

She told him so and heard him growl, his own desire making his cock jump in her hand. He added another finger, stretching her, the resisting muscles adding a layer of pain to the pleasure that built so fast she was utterly stunned. Staring into space, eyes wide and mouth open soundlessly at the feel of his hand inside her as his thumb danced over her clit, she took every pulse as her stomach tightened and burned. She was shocked by how much she enjoyed it and wondered why he’d dared try it now. 

 

It wasn’t the rough fingers inside her or the insistent circling of his thumb on her clit that sent her over the edge. It was the sudden evocative image flashing in her head of his much larger cock buried in her ass, splitting her in one brutal stroke and clasping him so tight it would hurt them both. Now she’d imagined it, she couldn’t get it out her head. The idea felt so wicked, deliciously so. Her orgasm hit her like a blow to the back of her head, taking her so fast she collapsed on top of him, body convulsing and useless as she rode it out. A throaty cry she didn’t recognize slipped free of her teeth.

 

He removed his hand, making her whimper as she pulled air into her lungs. His hands slid up her thighs and over her hips, moving her off him. She understood without him saying the words and willed strength back to her arms as she lifted herself up and worked down his body, knees wobbling as she crawled until she straddled his hips. Planting her hands on his knees, she leaned forward and felt the fat head of his cock teasing her saturated folds as he lined himself up with her. She sank down in a slippery wriggle, taking him to the hilt and arching her back, so he was notched as deep as she could get him. 

 

Her mouth was open, but she couldn’t make a sound. She had already come, and come hard, but it felt like the first time every time with him. That feeling of fullness completely overwhelmed her as she rolled and rocked her hips to force herself to soften around him. He was tense under her, unmoving, giving her time to acclimate, and that care made her start riding him faster, harder. Jake scratched his nails down her back as she bounced over him, making her shiver and mewl as he hit the spot deep inside her that made her hips stutter. Causing a flood of wetness that made it effortless to fuck him, the muttered encouragement and praise he gave her barely audible over the blood rushing in her ears.

 

He wrapped her hair in his hand, giving it a sharp tug, and the sting of pain merged beautifully with the sensations she was lost in. His breathing was ragged as she bottomed out and rested for a moment, chest heaving as sweat trickled down her face and neck. His thighs flexed under her palms, and she knew he was struggling to hold back, wanting her to come before he did. The hand in her hair tightened, and she threw her head back, encouraging him to do it again and practically purring when he did. Release beckoned and glimmered close enough to touch. Still, she held it off and ground her hips in circles, lifting up and dropping back down, each one hitting deeper until she lost all rhythm. He helped her along as her legs began to tire and ache, the coil tightening inside her core already close to breaking. Flame licked down her body and pooled between her thighs with every delectable drag of his cock as he moved within her. 

 

Letting go of her hair, Jake’s hands fell to her hips, helping to lift and throw her to that edge. She whimpered in relief. The thrumming tension under her hands told her he couldn’t last much longer. His fingers slipped and grabbed as her skin grew damp and her cries turned crazed. She was being burnt alive, and she savored every delicious moment of it. His gravelly voice and rough hands on her skin only inflamed her more. With every snap of his hips and the nudge of his cock against that spot, she was soon balancing on the edge of that cliff. Jake groaned, feeling every flutter of her cunt as he brought her down and impaled her on his length, both seeking release from the pressure stealing their ability to think.

 

 Both of them were strung too tightly, every muscle locking as he selflessly waited for her to fall first, and she knew his face would look like it had been carved from stone as he clung to his restraint. That image of him, jaw clenched, eyes heavy-lidded and smoldering and so black she couldn’t see the stars, made her let go of his thigh and move her shaking hand to her clit. The first touch forced her head down, her other hand turning into a claw she used to hold onto him and keep herself upright. Her name was a broken prayer on Jake’s tongue as her fingers slipped to where they were joined. Looking down to see her cunt split apart, swollen and dripping wet, as she felt his cock under her fingers. It was too much, and she wailed with each intense plunge of his cock and the twist of her fingers on her clit. 

 

They worked together as the coil inside her finally fractured, glowing embers scattering through her veins and nerves, making her writhe and plead. For more, for it to stop. She didn’t know. She could only feel her thoughts now incoherent as she tried to cling to the present as it swept over her. She barely heard Jake’s rasping cry as he slammed her down on his cock one final time, her inner walls clamping around him like a vice as he spilled inside her. Draining him to the dregs. Her orgasm rolled through her, a full-body spasm stealing her breath and wits.

 

He still held her hip, fingers digging in mean as he ran a soothing hand down her sweaty back. She shivered and shook. An electric current in her veins lit up every nerve, each wave rippling over her skin and spinning her farther away from sanity. Bright spots of light glittered behind her closed eyes as the aftershocks flickered under her skin. She wasn’t aware of being moved, only realizing they had once Jake had wrapped his body around hers. The kisses on her neck roused her enough to focus on something other than the immense pleasure he had pulled from her. She wasn’t sure how much time had passed, but it couldn’t have been too long. He was still awake and cleared his throat once she stirred. 

 

“One good thing about today?” He muttered as she hung on the precipice of deep sleep. 

 

Smiling, she opened her eyes and peered up at him, catching the glint in his eyes and remembering their early days of sharing the positives instead of the negatives. She only had one word to say, and they spoke it simultaneously: two hearts, one mind.

 

” You.” The echo of their voices followed her into sleep, and no ghosts found her that night. 

 



Notes:

I can’t thank you enough for reading and leaving kudos and comments. They're like magic beans, and I treasure them all dearly!

Things are getting a bit… messy now. We have around eight chapters after this one, including the epilogue. I’ve tentatively set the chapter count at 33. It may go down or up by one. It’s breaking my heart, and they aren't ready to go yet. Manon definitely isn't, so who knows what'll happen after I post the final pages of this love story.

Anyway, I’ll stop lamenting the loss of this story before it officially “ends” and let you go! Thank you.

Chapter 26: A thousand times I've tempted fate, I'll take no more

Summary:

Tuesday. Manon and Jake scour their evidence and grow increasingly frustrated. They go into town to see if anything can be found. And I will say no more because I want it to be a surprise!

All I will say is it’s tooth-rotting fluff and romance in the middle. I make no apologies for it.

Notes:

I can’t stop writing. It just keeps coming and I’m so excited to share the fun things I’ve had written for over a year! They are starting to come out now. This one is an indulgent escape followed by something more!

Life, fibromyalgia and anxiety hit me hard last week, and when that happens, I escape into this story. I don’t usually update so often but I’m not mad about it. It’s helping! I feel much better today. I hope you enjoy and again, thank you for the support. It makes me cry with happiness!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

air

 

 

 

 

 

I've been up in the air

Out of my head

Stuck in a moment of emotion I destroyed

Is this the end I feel?

Up in the air

Fucked up on life

All of the laws I've broken

Love's that I've sacrificed

Is this the end?

 

I'll wrap my hands around your neck

So tight with love

 

I've been up in the air

Lost in the night

I wouldn't trade an eye for your lies

Your lust for my life

Is this the end?

 

Up In The Air – Thirty Seconds To Mars

********

 

 

 

 

 

Manon

 

 

 

The glow of her laptop screen burned into her retinas, dry eyes stinging as she read the same page over and over again. Nothing had changed since the last six times she’d read it, but it still offered no explanation. She’d been at it for hours. Scouring through their files of evidence, listening to the recording of Richy’s kidnap repeatedly until she could recite it like a poem. One line stuck out to her now she’d met with his father.

 

Don’t hurt him, he didn’t know, take me instead, take me please!” 

 

Richy had begged that fateful day. It hadn’t registered at the time, but it rang like a death knell now. She heard it like an earworm song lyric she couldn’t shake as she skimmed everything for any other clues pointing to Paul. One thing Richy had mentioned was that his dad had told him Hannah didn’t have Sat Nav. That had been a lie. Thanks to Jessy, they knew this for sure. But why would he lie about something so innocuous? Why did Michael Hanson let him go free, knowing Paul would go straight to the police? What was Paul hiding?

 

She wanted answers to those three questions, but after another hour of trawling through everything, she realized there was nothing to help her. Seeing no other option, she had to get into town and investigate herself. She glanced over the top of her laptop to Jake. He had headphones on as he listened to a recording of Alan’s walk through Amy’s house. He had let her hear it earlier, and now he was scanning it for anything they might’ve missed. Clearing her throat, she called his name. But he couldn’t hear her. She chuckled, balling up a scrap of notebook paper before chucking it at his head, grinning brightly when he turned around with one of those marvelous brows arched in exasperation.

 

She mimed removing the headphones, laughed when he rolled his eyes and turned back to his computer to pause the recording before doing as she asked.

 

Wasting no time, Manon shared her idea.

 

“I think we should go into town. Snoop around and see if we can find anything. This is just wasting precious time.”

 

Jake nodded, scratching the back of his neck, “I agree, Alan isn’t particularly loquacious, and any thoughts he had must’ve been written down elsewhere. I can’t find them here.”

 

“Come on, then, Hackerman. Let's get out of here and go look for clues.” She giggled and rose from her chair to get ready. Smiling as Jake chuckled indulgently behind her, she heard him step away to change his clothes.

 

Soon they were on the road to Duskwood, windows down and music blaring as the wind ripped through her loose hair. The troubles of the day before felt very far away to her then, banished by hands and teeth last night, she breathed in the fresh air, tasting the sun and wind on her tongue as she coasted into Duskwood proper. It wasn’t as warm that day. A cool breeze had moved in overnight, and she had a feeling it might rain later. She parked in a side street close to the town center, and they got out of the car in silence. Not speaking until Jake had stepped into stride with her and took her hand in his, she peered up at him, finding him a little tense, so she squeezed his hand and tried to distract him.

 

“You should take me for lunch.” She said, grinning when he looked down at her, and she saw that bemused look in his eyes, glittering like polished sapphires under the sunlight.

 

“I thought we were here on business.” He returned, shoulders relaxing as she sniffed and turned her nose up in the air.

 

“A lady can’t be expected to work on an empty stomach, Jacob.” She teased, adopting a snobby accent, watching him from the corner of her eyes and cackling when his head jerked back at her using his full name.

 

He soon recovered and turned it back on her, “You’re the farthest thing from a lady, Manon. Wicked, infuriating, or mad, either option would be a better descriptor.” He muttered seductively, and she thrilled at the midnight caress in his voice.

 

She gave a fond snort, lifting their joined hands to smack his chest. His eyes flashed, and he tugged her into his side, letting go of her hand to slide his arm around her shoulders. She wrapped hers around his trim waist and hooked her thumb through his belt loop. It wasn’t the most elegant way to wade through the busy town center, but she wouldn’t complain, not now she was right where she wanted to be. They fell quiet as they were swallowed by the tide of people roaming around, staring at the pretty storefronts. No sign of the sinister truth the town worked so hard to hide. Smudges of its carefully covered darkness were there if you knew where to look. Manon spied no less than four police officers, and a few of the missing posters for Hannah still smiled out at her from a few of the shop windows. They were offset by huge, vibrant banners declaring the beginning of the Pine Glade Festival. Most wouldn't notice the tiny appeal for information when the eye was immediately drawn to the pageantry.

 

Jake had relaxed more now that they were simply two faceless lovers in a mass of other strangers. Her heavy bag bumped against her hip, her weapons concealed inside, so she didn’t cause a panic. It would’ve been silly to leave the house without at least a gun on her. They were halfway through the street when Jake turned her towards a quaint little restaurant that she hadn’t noticed as it bore no sign other than one hanging from an iron bar above the red door. She looked at him quizzically, but he only smirked and led her inside, dropping his arm as they approached the harried hostess. The place looked full, and she opened her mouth to tell him she had only been joking when he spoke.

 

“I made a reservation online, Jacob Allwood.” He smiled at the dark-haired hostess whose nametag told her was called Claire.

 

Manon barely managed to conceal her shock as Claire nodded and beamed, telling them to follow her. In a daze, they were taken upstairs to a more secluded area. The tables upstairs were private booths and screened off from each other. They were guided to the only empty one, and Jake waited for her to sit before he did. He wore a smug smirk at her uncharacteristic silence, and she wanted to wipe it away with a snappy comment, but she failed to come up with one. All around them buzzed the happy chatter of others dining and enjoying each other’s company, the scent of tomatoes, fresh herbs, and fragrant garlic as a waiter walked by holding plates of pasta making her stomach grumble as Jake accepted two menus and ordered drinks for them.

 

When the hostess left, and they were alone, she arched a brow and silently demanded he explain. He handed her a menu and threaded his fingers together, resting his elbows on the table and propping his chin on his folded hands.

 

“You’re not the only one who can pull off a surprise, Manon.” He said simply and winked.

 

She shook her head, grinning and fizzing inside, grateful she’d worn the blue sundress instead of her usual garb of black. When they’d left the house, she hadn’t thought to question his dressier attire: that blue shirt she adored, sleeves rolled up how she liked, and dark jeans that looked expensive. She’d just assumed he’d run out of hoodies.

 

Manon cleared her throat and opened her leatherbound menu, pretending she wasn’t affected. Still, her pulse fluttered in her neck, and she could feel a pink flush creeping over her chest.

 

“I see.” Was all she could say, ignoring his self-satisfied chuckle and hiding her dreamy smile behind the menu to pick what she wanted. Settling on the first pasta dish she came across, she set the menu down and eyed Jake, who seemed entirely at ease despite the public setting. She looked over to the window, head shaking as she thought back to the very beginning and the secrecy between them, how he’d thought they’d never be able to do this. There were many things she loved to do, but proving people wrong would always taste the sweetest, and she silently vowed to savor every damn moment of it.

 

“You ready to order?” Jake asked, breaking her out of her reverie.

 

Turning back to him, she nodded and caught their waitress bustling over with their drinks. She had no clue what he’d ordered for her, but she didn’t miss the fact the leggy brunette was checking Jake out. He was oblivious, eyes only for her, but she saw and got a little taste of what Jake must’ve felt each time Phil flirted with her. She was pretty and had that bubbly energy about her that reminded her of Jessy. Manon sat back and watched the waitress attempt to flirt as she set the drinks down, biting back a laugh when Jake didn’t react or seem to understand this woman wanted him. She wanted to be angry, but seeing the woman get flustered as Jake answered with one-word answers and never looked anywhere but at Manon was too funny to bother getting upset.

 

Manon thanked her, a saccharine smile on her maroon painted mouth, and gave her order before the waitress could go back to ignoring her in favor of Jake. After she handed the menu back, the redhead put her back to Manon and focused on fawning over Jake, who had finally noticed the disparity in how he was being treated, eyes darkening and mouth thinning as he curtly gave her his order and didn’t thank her before she walked away.

 

“Women are ballsy in Duskwood.” Manon joked and sipped at the glass of wine, only remembering she was driving after she’d swallowed. Jake held his glass up when she grimaced, he’d ordered a soda, and she relaxed, understanding he planned to drive.

 

“I don’t get it. We’re obviously together,” Jake said and set his glass down.

 

Manon couldn’t help it. She threw her head back and laughed, delighting in the confused frown he gave her.

 

Once she calmed down, she realized he meant it and wondered if he’d ever looked in a mirror, but she knew he had. They’d spent a glorious night in front of the bathroom mirror.

 

“Jake... you look like... that,” She jested, waving her hand over his general self, and saw the roses bloom in his cheeks.

 

He scowled, and she saw he was going to deny it, so she jumped in before he could.

 

“The first time I saw you, I wanted to climb into your lap and claim you for myself before anyone else could. You’re a beautiful man, Jake. People notice.” She gave an indolent shrug and smiled as he cocked his head and rubbed a hand over his neatly trimmed jaw.

 

“It’s been a long time since I could be so exposed to people. Appearances were the last thing on my mind.” He said, and her smile faltered a little, wishing they’d found each other much sooner than they had.

 

She leaned across the table, whispering for only him to hear, “I only need to imagine you naked, and it’s almost impossible not to touch myself.” She winked and sat back to watch his magnificent eyes go violet as her words sunk in.

 

“I want to see that one day.” He growled, low and deep enough that she felt it like a current beneath her skin.

 

“Hmm, we’ll see.” She teased, and crossed her legs, feeling that delectable burn settling low in her belly.

 

“No, you'll show me, Manon.” He ordered, and she blinked slowly and instinctively nodded as Jake smirked. His murmur of “good girl” was almost too much for her, and she contemplated dragging him into the bathroom to give him a demonstration now. The idea was so tantalizing she almost said it aloud when the waitress brought over their food, smiling blandly at both of them before heading back to the kitchen. Moment over, they dug in and stuck to safe topics that wouldn’t leave her thighs a sticky mess, enjoying the food and each other for a precious amount of time she’d treasure forever. One day, this would be their reality all the time. She refused to believe any differently.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

By the time they left, it was well into the afternoon, and the street had only grown more hectic. Manon hadn't thought Duskwood would ever attract so many people, but the conversations that drifted to her ears told her the festival was a bigger deal than she'd assumed. Children ran in between their parent's legs, screaming in hyperactive joy, and she narrowly avoided tripping over a little girl as they wove into the melee. Each person moved as if unseeing hands dragged them this way and that, eyes jumping from one thing to another as they made their way through and discovered the treasures Duskwood had to offer. Phil had said it officially started on Wednesday, tomorrow, but most had obviously decided to get an early start while the weather was favorable.



Women bearing a Gates of Hope badge were milling around, handing out brochures to grabbing hands, and Manon thought it was a mistake to come here. She had expected a few early birds, not a damn herd of them. Jake gripped her hand tight, tugging her to the outside of the crowd, so they walked along the front of a building. She glanced around, scanning for anything unusual, and huffed when someone elbowed her, turning to glare at the offender, who ignored her. Just as she was about to tell Jake it was best they went home, she saw someone that made her heart go still before kicking up a marching beat. Her eyes sharpened on the sorry figure hobbling through the street, and something akin to lightning crackled through her veins as she put the pieces together.



Manon turned, grabbed the front of Jake's shirt, and shoved him against the wall, ignoring the indignant looks she was getting from people near them and shaking her head when Jake opened his mouth to complain.

 

“Be quiet. Keep your eyes on me.” She murmured and pressed against him, hooking her arms around his neck to bring him to her level.

 

He frowned but allowed her to tug him closer, their lips a hairsbreadth apart, and hers were already tingling, but she resisted kissing him. Hissing the words straight onto his mouth.

 

“Behind me, grey hair, black clothing. Looks sick and is limping. Richy’s dad. He took great pains not to let me see him walk when I visited. Do you remember I stabbed one of them at Hanson's house?”

 

Jake jolted, and she rolled her eyes, pushing up on her toes to press her lips to his and hopefully disguise his reaction as lust, given how she was plastered against him. She pulled back after a lingering moment and saw him nod. His arms tightened around her waist, and he bent to kiss the spot below her ear that made her shiver and weak-kneed. He was better at this than she thought he’d be.

 

“And what are you planning to do about it?” He whispered, and she fought the urge to jump on him and suggest they go somewhere less populated.

 

“We’re going to follow him and see where he goes.” She said, and thankfully, he didn’t object.

 

Watching from the corner of her eye, she waited until Paul had passed them by and was far enough away he wouldn't think he was being followed. She urged Jake to walk ahead of her, knowing she was too recognizable, and held on to his shirt as someone pushed into her. Jake appeared to be simply taking a stroll, with no sign of his usual reserve whenever she wanted to do something he felt was risky, but they had to see where he was going. Manon chanced a sly glimpse around his broad back to ensure Paul was still within sight, her free hand unzipping her bag to slip inside and wrap around the taser.



Jake cursed under his breath and walked faster. She sighed and came to his side and saw why. Paul had quickened his pace, head swiveling from side to side as if he sensed he was being followed. Manon scowled and took off after him, ignoring Jake's long-suffering groan as she kept her eyes trained on Paul's limping form. Darting back when he looked over his shoulder, she crept closer, taser in hand and primed for use. She was getting ready to leap forward and grab him when a gaggle of gossiping women spilled out of the rainbow cafe and blocked her way. Sharpening her elbows and snarling at them to get out of the way, she forced her way through them and came to a halt. He'd vanished. Jake's hands landed on her shoulders a second later as she tried to establish where he might've gone.



Too many people. It was too easy for him to escape, and he'd be extra skittish now. Cursing under her breath, she shoved the taser back in her bag and tucked her hair behind her ear.



“He's gone.” She stated uselessly, pissed off, and her good mood drained away, irritation taking its place.



“There are too many places he could've gone... We could go the garage.” Jake suggested, but she heard the doubt in his voice.



“No, he won't go back there yet, not if he realized it was me following him.”



“What do you want to do?” He asked, face a hard mask of annoyance at the situation.



Thinking it over, she remembered what day it was and who was supposed to be back today.



“We should call the Motel and see if Mrs. Walter came back.” She said.



Jake nodded and took her hand, leading her out of the town center and down an alleyway to get to the side street where their car was parked. She handed him the keys and walked to the passenger side, getting in once he'd unlocked it and taking her phone out of her bag once he was seated beside her.



“She has to be booked up for this damn festival. If she's not back, I don't know what to do.” She admitted, wanting to chase something down and make it bleed for the stress this fucked up town was causing her.



“We'll figure it out. Call and see.” He said with a gentle smile, and she called the number she hadn't thought she would have to use again.



The phone rang for so long that she started to grind her teeth, but a wary female voice answered, and Manon's instincts perked up at the anxiety she could almost feel through her phone.



“Hi, I wanted to see if you had re-opened, we stopped by last week, and you were closed.” She explained and waited through a long, tense pause as the woman drew in a tight breath.



“Yes, we are open, but we have no rooms available to rent.”



Manon rolled her eyes, “I'm actually calling about the graffiti that was left on your building. I'm working with -” She started but was cut off.



“I can't discuss that. The police are dealing with it. Goodbye.” The woman said angrily, and the line went dead.



Manon looked at Jake and felt a bitter smile twist her mouth.



“The police station. Alan has some explaining to do.” She said. Jake agreed and started the car; this time, he drove as fast as she would have.









Jake





On the outside, Manon appeared calm, serene even. But that didn't settle his nerves. Two things were likely running through her head when she got like this. She might be thinking about all the ways she could taunt and inconveniently arouse him. Or she was thinking of all the ways she could murder Alan Bloomgate and get away with it. He was betting on the latter, all fucking in, and if he were honest with himself, he'd help her bury the body and erase all evidence of them being there. Digital or otherwise. It was a good job they were surrounded by miles of forest with plenty of places to dispose of a corpse if it came to it. Alan was either a prize idiot, or he was playing a game of his own. It was past time he showed his hand and accepted the help being offered to him instead of blocking them at every turn.



He pulled into the police station car park, his heart rate elevating at the fact he was about to walk inside a building full of cops willingly. They were useless ones, but cops all the same. Heat prickled his skin as he fought back images of him in cuffs, beaten and tied to a chair as they demanded answers he would never give. He hadn't even stopped the car when Manon flung open her door and leaped out, face like thunder about to break. He left the car parked haphazardly across multiple spaces and bolted after her. Jake slipped inside the station door just before it closed and caught up with the woman who was part hurricane and part summer sun, about to unleash herself on Duskwood's finest.



Manon stormed through the police station like she owned the place or simply didn't care who did. Ignoring the outraged yelling of the receptionist as she flung open the gate to the bullpen and strode straight for what he assumed was Alan's office, not bothering to knock as she turned the handle and kicked the door open. He was grinning, he realized, as the few officers milling about stared wide-eyed and frozen. She'd moved too fast for anyone to do more than stand up behind their desks or freeze midway through pouring coffee that was now overflowing the cup. Jake shrugged at them and followed Manon inside.



He closed and locked the door, finding Manon leaning over the chief's desk, palms flat on the table as she growled in his face. If he cared, he'd be disturbed by the lust sinking down his spine at the sight of the chief almost cowering under the heat of her stare, but he didn't. Crossing his arms and leaning against the door to keep anyone from getting inside, he watched the show. He'd missed her opening lines and Alan's but caught the gist quickly.



“... You didn't think that was important enough to tell me? He threatens a little boy, and you think that I wouldn't want to hear that?” She demanded, and he smothered his shock, remembering the Motel owner had a son who'd been the one to tell them about the Man Without a Face in the first place.



Alan's eyes narrowed, face turning red, “We have it under control. An officer is living in the motel to keep an eye on them. Nothing will happen.”



Manon chuckled, bitter and full of spite, as she spat her next words at the chief. Her dress fluttered above her knees, and the way she was bent over was highly distracting, but he managed not to give into the urges only she could bring out of him.



“You have failed in every aspect of this case so far. It has taken a group of civilians and myself to get you this fucking far. I should have been informed immediately, Alan. What did the threat say?”



Alan shrunk under her observation, and Jake could see just how heavily his failures weighed on him. The chief had probably wanted to prove to himself he could handle this alone. Forgetting that Manon was like a dog with a bone once she got a hint of something.



“I don't appreciate you barging in here to berate me. We followed protocol, and we have eyes on the Motel. There was no need to bring you in.” He blustered, full of false bravado that failed as Manon straightened and leveled him with a look so damning Jake was surprised the man didn't drop dead.



“What. Did. The. Threat. Say.” Manon bit out, giving Alan no quarter, and Jake wasn't surprised when the chief sighed and rifled through the stack of papers on his desk to pull out a crumpled piece of paper.



Manon snatched it from him and read it, head shaking as she digested it. Jake could see it was another note made up of cut-out newspapers, no handwriting, so the police would be scrambling as they tried to pin it on someone. He saw only one word as she slapped the note down on Alan's desk. Manon. In thick black typed letters and his heart stopped dead in his chest, blood turning to ice in his veins.



“It's addressed to me, Alan. That means it should've been brought to me the day it was left there.” Manon said too quietly. The hair on Jake's neck stood up as Alan gulped and nodded.



Manon made a show of picking the note back up and reading it aloud, the air in Jake's lungs choking off as she did.



“If Manon doesn't hand herself over, I will take the boy in her place. I will only swap her life for his. She is my price.”



Alan only nodded while Jake couldn't form words, too lost in his head trying to figure out if Hanson had figured out that Alfie had seen him when Manon laughed. Laughed.



“I'm a bit confused. Is this a death threat or a love letter? I've had better.” She said once she'd stopped and didn't acknowledge the two men staring at her in blind disbelief.



“You're actually insane,” Alan breathed, eyes unblinking as he stared at Manon, “He is out to kill you, and you're happy about it.”



Manon nodded, “I am. Because that means he's focused on me and not the people he's got tied up in some basement! If he's busy hunting me, they're safe. He's getting reckless, and that's what I've been hoping for... You said Alfie is safe?”



“He is. My best officers are swapping shifts to keep a close eye on him and the motel. Nothing will get near him.” Alan promised, and Manon nodded.



“Good. You might want to add yourself to that list. You're more invested than those officers. This is personal for you. It's your name being dragged through the mud, after all. Make sure that little boy is safe because if you don't, Alan, I can have you transferred to bumfuck nowhere within 24 hours, and you'll be chief of fucking nothing for the rest of your sorry life.” Manon threatened and turned toward Jake, emerald eyes spewing venom as he opened the door, and they left the chief staring after them. The station was as quiet as a library as they walked through and out the door, nobody tried to stop them, and Jake breathed a sigh of relief as he walked out, still thankful he could.



Neither of them would have been able to tell anyone how they managed to drive away without crashing, thanks to both of them being completely lost in thought. Manon stewed beside him and fretted over all they'd learned. The web kept growing wider and more intricate, encompassing the entirety of the town, the countless hands weaving it changing course whenever the wind changed, and no thread led to the truth. Everywhere they looked, lies, betrayal, and secrets. Their friends might be their foes, none seemed to be telling them the truth, and Jake was sick of it. He'd revealed himself to save his sister, thinking it would be a walk in the park to find her. But then legends had come to life, masked monsters bearing the promise of death and blood, seeking retribution and a perverted form of justice.



He felt completely irrelevant amidst it all. Computers he understood, Manon too, but this? Nothing could have prepared him for this, and he regretted the day he ever learned of Hannah and their relation. Things would be easier. He'd still be in hiding, dodging pursuers and hiding out in tunnels and caves, surviving off of what food he could buy and carry the rare time he could surface to go to a store. Memories of battling his way out when they closed in on him, and he could almost feel their fingers glance off his skin as they came within spitting distance of catching him. The memories of that time haunted him, darkness all around and within, no light to be found. Until that day Manon had shown up. She was soothing moonlight made human, a fiery beacon in the nightmare his existence had become. And all he'd given her in return was shadows and monsters, dragging her into his mess.



“I know what you're doing, and if you even think of telling me to leave and try to blame yourself for this, I will thump you.” She grumbled, cutting into his thoughts.



“You know it's true, Manon. If it weren't for me -”



“Nope. Don't start. I got myself into this. I could've walked away. I didn't. Now we deal with it. I won't let him win, Jake, and if you ask me to, I'll never forgive you.” she said, tone severe, and the idea of her hating him was worse than anything he could inflict on himself.



“Okay, I won't. Just promise me something?” He asked instead, catching her off guard as she turned the full power of those wicked eyes on him.



“If it comes to it, and there is no other choice but to run, you'll do it. You won't offer your life up in exchange for anyone else. That's all I need, Manon.” He said urgently, almost begging, and her eyes softened a shade.



She was quiet so long his heart sunk into his boots, but he caught her whisper as he turned onto the road that would lead them home.



“I won't, I promise.”



What she didn’t know was he wouldn’t make her the same promise. There wasn't a force on this earth strong enough to make him do it, and she didn't think to ask as she stared out the window and worried at her lip. He turned the radio up and let it drown out the thoughts pacing in his head like an animal caged against its will. Whatever it took, they'd make it out alive and whole. He didn't care what he had to give to make sure of it. She'd saved him, ending a life on the run or in some prison. Dragged him out of the gutter with nothing but a smile and a promise from him that he wouldn't run. No, no more running. He'd come to care for the others too, and he couldn't stand by as they risked themselves time and again while he remained safe. It was time for him to stand beside them, shoulder to shoulder, and face this with all he had, and pray they all walked away from it. To hell with the consequences. He'd paid enough for his mistakes. He was owed some good back. Jake felt it settle in him, a cloak of determination around his shoulders he would never allow to fall.


Notes:

Thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed it and thank you for taking the time to tell me what you loved last chapter!

It’s funny how when I’m not looking forward to something, it speeds towards me like a freight train. I don’t want this story to end and yet I’m updating quicker than usual.

Manon and this story has been growing in my head for a couple of years now. It’s crazy to think it’s been so long! Anyway, thank you for everything and I hope it was worth the short wait! I had a lot of fun with this one. I’m now on tumblr as miss-celestia13, just in case you see me and think someone’s stealing my stuff lol.

Chapter 27: So let me show you how to touch my trigger

Summary:

Begins late Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, after midnight at least, a smutty distraction. The Pine Glade festival officially begins in town but Manon is busy trying to find out why Paul Rogers is involved.

Notes:

Thank you so much for reading the last chapter and taking the time to comment. You make my year every time.

Sorry for the delay! I’ve had the beginning and end of this written for weeks and months, respectively. I was so excited, but the looming end freaked me out too much to write the middle. It’s done, and I hope it’s worth the wait.

Anyway, I love you for sticking with me and hope you enjoy it. Smutty beginning and ends with… well, you’ll see!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

mood

 

 

“It's a shot in the dark

I'm not a walk in the park 

I come loaded with the safety switched off

This girl is a gun

And we been having some fun

And I can show you if you turn the lights on

 

I keep waiting for luck to come swallow me up

I feel better when the boys stop callin' 

I keep fallin' in love 

But this measuring cup

Is overflowing with the same damn problems 

 

This girl is a gun

Before you know it

It's done

And you'll be wishing that you crossed your fingers

Oh, but God, is it fun

When you can have more than one

So let me show you how to touch my trigger"

 

Girl is a Gun - Halsey

*******



 

Manon 

 

 

Tuesday night brought a granite-purple sky that faded into seamless black. The curtain of storm clouds was so thick she couldn’t see the stars as she closed the windows in the room. She’d known it was going to rain and had felt the charge in the air earlier that day. The first silver-gold fissures of brilliant light fractured the velvet sky as if it had been struck by the fist of an almighty God. It was beautiful, in a way, but she closed the curtains and put her back to the storm outside.

 

Edgy, pissed off, and unlikely to sleep any time soon, Manon paced her bedroom floor. She muttered vehemently under her breath, wishing she’d never gone into town earlier that day. Jake was in the shower, she had gone in first while he’d been busy on his phone. Dressed in nothing but her favorite silk robe, she couldn’t stand being in her own skin and wished she could take Jake and disappear from this shithole in a puff of dark smoke. Her fingers toyed with the sash tied around her waist, fiddling and picking at the knot absentmindedly as she tried and failed to piece together why Paul Rogers was involved in this. 

 

It was a futile task. Everything she came up with was either wildly out of the realm of possibility or too mundane for a man to assist in the kidnap of his only son. She heard the shower shut off and schooled her features. She shook her hands to relieve the tingling tension shooting through her body and halted her pacing, knowing he’d force her to talk about it. There was nothing she could do at this time of night, everyone else was already asleep, and there was no work she could distract herself with. Jake’s quiet footsteps as he made his way to the bathroom door broke her out of her depressing thoughts, and her mind went down a darker, carnal path. 

 

When he stepped through that door, he’d wear nothing but a towel, and she would stare, maybe give him a suggestive smile. He'd give her that indulgent expression he saved for her and let her look her fill. The world might be burning down right outside their window, but here, in this oasis they’d created, they were safe and could lose themselves in each other. Mind made up, she walked to the bed and perched on the edge, crossing her legs just as the door opened and Jake came out. He ran a hand through his damp hair, lustrous eyes scanning the room until they landed on her, and a soft smile curled his lips. She returned it, her heart rate elevating as he padded closer until he stood before her. 

 

“I thought you’d be asleep.” He said, a crease forming between his brows as he appraised her. 

 

She gave an indolent shrug, the silk sliding off her shoulder in the process, and his gaze followed the motion, a brow arching as she stood and ran her hands up his shower-damp skin. 

 

“Why waste time sleeping when we can be doing anything else?” 

 

He choked on a laugh, a large hand landing on her waist as she sidled closer until there was but a hairsbreadth between their bodies. His head dropped, forehead to forehead, eyes heavy-lidded as he stared into her eyes and inhaled deeply. She was glad she’d taken the time to slather on the expensive scented body lotion. 

 

“What did you have in mind?” He murmured as the hand at her waist dug in, tugging her flush against him. 

 

She grinned wickedly, wriggling a little against the rapidly hardening cock trapped between them. 

 

“For now… just watch. No touching until I say so, or I’ll stop.” She warned, voice low and seductive as she pushed away from him and let her hands fall to the loose knot tying her robe shut.

 

Pulling on the ends of the long sash, she unraveled it slowly, letting it fall to the floor like a stream of cool water, and unwrapped herself from the layer of silk. Standing proud, every bit of her creamy skin exposed to him, tinted the color of honey from the good weather recently, and long white hair pouring down her chest, hiding much of her bust that his eyes were stuck on. Jake swallowed hard as she backed up to their waiting bed. The slow burn of desire began low in her stomach, and she very much enjoyed the black hunger in his eyes as she sat down and slid back until she was seated against the headboard. Tossing her hair over her shoulder, she made herself comfortable as she watched her man. He moved as if on strings, jerky and clumsy to stand at the foot of the bed.

 

She spread herself in a languorous stretch, bold and confident, eyes heavy and hazed with red smoke as she stared up at him. His midnight eyes were fixed on her cunt, displayed like a prize he could win if he behaved until she decided he could touch. His tongue darted out of his mouth to lick at his bottom lip as if he couldn’t wait to taste her. The power she had over him made her feel drunk and free, determined to test his resolve. She knew he’d only let her have control for so long before he forced her to submit to his superior strength and the dark impulses carefully concealed under love and worship. And she would complain to make him handle her harshly, and growl a command for her to behave until she gave in and let herself be dominated. She craved it now, but the dizzying power of having him watch, unable to touch or taste as she touched herself was enough to keep her from demanding he do it now. 

 

Starting out slowly, stretching her legs out and bending them at the knee, her feet planted in the mattress, she reacquainted herself with her body. It had been a while since she’d had to do this, had been spoiled by Jake, but her body remembered, and she put on a show. Mapping her skin with her hands, enjoying the softness and warmth, the weight of her breasts in her palms, nipples hardening to stiff peaks as she let her thoughts out of their box and let them run wild, eyes locked on a very tense Jake. Sliding her hands down her torso as he clenched and unclenched his fists, goosebumps flaring as she cupped herself in her palm, hot flesh already slick when she delved inside. Her breathing quickened as she circled her clit, repeating the action until she gasped and flame licked up her abdomen. 

 

In her lusty mind, Jake was on his knees between her legs, so real in her fevered imagination she could feel his hands pinning her thighs to the bed and his skilled tongue against the tender folds of her cunt. Groaning at the thought of his mouth closing around her clit, she let her head fall back, eyes closed and chest heaving. Not even mildly ashamed of what she was doing, she worked her clit slow, then fast, her wetness coating her busy hand. Knowing he was watching only made everything hotter for her, and any insecurities she might’ve had evaporated under the scorching heat of his singular eyes. She slid two fingers into herself to counter the ache building within her, her smaller hand wasn’t as good as Jake’s much larger one, but she made do. Somehow, she lost control of him in her mind and found herself flipped and twisted, helplessly bent into a vessel to be filled as he fucked her and held her down with strength. 

 

The slow burn of desire became a wildfire, her body tensing and bowing as pleasure surged through her, and she came hard and fast. The stroke of his thick cock inside her felt so real, greedy cunt clamping down on her fingers as she slowly relaxed and came back down to earth, not nearly satisfied. Cracking her eyes open, she found Jake still as stone, face carved from marble and fists curled so tight his knuckles were white. He’d become a statue to stop himself from breaking her order, and she felt very proud of herself. A salacious smile as she wiped her soaked fingers on the sheets and lazily got on her hands and knees, crawling to the end of the bed. 

 

Reaching a hand out, she grabbed the towel at his waist and tugged it down, smiling up at him as she wrapped a hand around his cock, and stroked him, weighing him in her hand, and it was as if she’d electrocuted him. He moved so fast she couldn’t track it, and she was picked up by the waist and tossed onto her back in the middle of the bed. Giggling, dazed and body fizzing, nerves sparking alive as he prowled around the side of the bed and said two words that made her whimper and the hair on the back of her neck rise. 

 

“My turn.” And it sounded like a threat as he grabbed hold of her hands, taking her wrists in one of his and pinning them above her head. 

 

Crouched over her, all hard muscle, dark hair, and burning blue eyes, she felt his gaze like a brand as she fought against his hold. The delicate bones of her wrists twisted as his grip tightened and he growled an order to stop. She yielded with a pleased sigh, letting her body go loose. He murmured, “good girl,” making her arch under him and shiver. Her bone-deep trust in him only grew stronger as he lowered his mouth to hers. It was a devouring like he was trying to swallow her down and keep her for himself. She was unable to retreat, bracing herself as he stole the breath from her lungs and adjusted his position until he was crouched between her split thighs. The possession of her mouth slowed and gentled, a sharp nip of her bottom lip before he broke away. Letting go of her wrists, he let his hand glide from the top of her head down the side of her face and neck before settling loosely around her throat, thumb pressed into her hammering pulse.

 

“Tell me what you were thinking about while you were touching yourself.” He said insistently, sounding awed. 

 

“You. How you fuck me until I don’t know if I want it to end or never stop. It feels so good when you make me ache and beg and scream. How safe you make me feel that I don’t even care that you have all the control. That’s the hottest thing, really.” She teased, watching as his pupils blew wide and smoldered dangerously. 

 

“I want to try something.” He whispered, kissing down her neck and collarbone, sucking the skin into his mouth until it was sheened with maroon. 

 

She writhed as he dragged his mouth over her chest and swirled his tongue around her nipples one after the other, pulling on them with his teeth until she cried out. Relenting only to lick a path down to her weeping cunt. She was trembling and panting as he delved into her folds and swallowed a mouthful of her essence, a possessive growl as he did. So sensitive he barely had to work on her. When he sucked her clit into his mouth whole, she bucked and fisted the sheets, desperately fighting the pleasure to make it last. It was a losing battle. She tried to edge away, mewling as he refused to let her escape from his ravenous mouth and held her down. He glanced up at her, the sight of his dark head between her legs almost making her eyes roll back. 

 

“Don’t fight it. I need you relaxed and ready for me. I want you to come.” 

 

“Oh, fuck…” she managed, twitching violently as he resumed his task.

 

Sweat trickled down her face though she was barely exerting herself as his words echoed through her distressed mind. The sound of his voice gasoline to the desire in her core. It didn’t take much. A few sweeps of his talented tongue over her clit and a gentle graze of his teeth over the small bundle of nerves before she was coming for the second time that night. He waited for her eyes to open and her legs to stop jumping before climbing over her body to reach under her pillow. Frowning, mind slow and thick like molasses had replaced her brain, she waited. Her heart skipped and stuttered as she recognized the sleek black bottle in his hand. He smirked knowingly as he retook his place between her legs, poured some of the viscous liquid into his palm, and crouched, empty hand pinning her thigh to the bed. 

 

Trying not to tense, she closed her eyes and breathed deeply, the touch of his hand as he traced the seam of her cunt and trailed his fingers down, down, down. Slick fingers circled her back entrance, each small touch making her jerk and stop breathing, a strong, sinful twinge in her core that made reality fuzzy and oddly muted. He touched her as if she were made of glass, a fingertip pushing inside, gently working her open so he wouldn’t hurt her more than she liked. His other hand massaging her thigh, trying to distract and relax her. It only served to make her feel skittish and unhinged. Her hands were in his hair, pulling it slightly. Feeling strangely like she needed to hold onto something.

 

When he decided she was ready, he pushed his finger into her, her tight, resisting muscles trapping him as she breathed through the strange sensation and silently begged him to move when the discomfort faded. A gush of wetness, and a prickle of heat over her skin as he carefully slid his finger in and out of her, each pass easier. The pleasure only grew stronger when he added another finger. Whining and shocked by her own reaction, she rolled and rocked her hips in time with his hand. A sensation like a thousand tiny creatures dancing ran down her spine, and she could hear herself talking but couldn’t understand a word of it. Jake only observed her, a black look in his eyes that made her want to die, a hunger so insatiable she feared she might be nothing but ash and dust by the time he was through with her. 

 

If he touched her clit, she’d come right now, so turned on her skin felt too small for her bones, and every pore on it splayed wide. He didn’t touch her there. He withdrew his hand and grabbed hold of her hips, letting go of her to palm his cock before he sunk himself inside her dripping cunt with no warning. Annoyed at the change in direction, she clawed at his shoulders. Snarling a grateful but somewhat disappointed curse in his ear as he grinned and drove into her, unmerciful and eager. Still, she savored the feel of him clasped tight within her cunt, the luscious drag of his cock against her walls addictive and dangerous. Already she was close, the warning throb of release deep in her core already flashing as he buried himself in her so completely she could only shout. 

 

She’d almost come to terms with his change of mind when he slid free of her cunt, moving efficiently as he rolled her onto her front. Manon sank her face into the pillows, lying with her ass raised as he reached for another pillow and placed it under her hips to lift her higher. His hands drifted down her cheeks, a drip of lube poured down the cleft, and the lewd sound of him fisting his cock to coat himself in the liquid was dimmed by the blood roaring in her ears. His body covered hers like a blanket of hard flesh, his skin sticking to hers and when he took her ass, it was with a single ruthless thrust. Slippery with lube and her essence, he was inside her with very little resistance, only sumptuous friction and overwhelming fullness countered by the razor’s edge of pain that kept her from passing out. 

 

Crazed sounds and sharp curse words fell from her lips as he moved within her taut channel. Drowning out the storm crashing down on their house. She buried her nails into the bed, her focus turned inward to the incredible feel of his cock inside her back entrance. Her hair was moved off her neck, gentle open mouthed kisses graffitied into the skin of her nape as he muttered incoherently to calm her. Too far gone, she thought he was speaking another language. Something inside him snapped, and he stopped holding back, taking her roughly and deeply. An animalistic edge to his movements told her that taking her from the rear like this was too much for him, and the leash he kept on himself had vanished. She keened and wailed with every plunge of his cock inside her, muffling it into the pillows as thunder rumbled like a landslide outside.  

 

Swearing and shaking, Jake slipped a hand under her, grabbing on to give himself more leverage, changing the angle so he could go deeper, rougher, a cramp of muscles protesting as she howled, wild and savage. It was better than she’d imagined it would be the other night. She’d never wanted this until then, but now, she wanted more, more, more. It was so consuming, her mind shattering into cracks and jagged lines. Pressure so powerful it almost snapped her in two. Now that she was very clearly delighting in it, he dared to fuck her without restraint and drove into her hard and fast, his grunts and groans dropping into her ears. The pain she always looked for had gone. Only a pleasure too intense and heavy existed, the kind that was too much to endure for too long, and she thrashed her head and sobbed against the onslaught.

 

Lightning ran across her vision, splintering and blinding as she worked her hand under her to rub her clit and give the pressure inside her somewhere to go. Jake cried out, a slam of his hips as she circled her clit and her empty cunt clenched around nothing. She broke then, coming apart at the seams, a million glistening pieces of her scattering like confetti, coming with a sharp scream, almost scared by how it seized her. She was a mess of convulsing limbs and jerking muscles under him, blind and deaf to the world as he slammed into her once, twice, and his nails cut into her hips, blood steaming in her veins. A peculiar energy ran through her that left her feeling bruised and destroyed, her conscious mind going utterly blank before it winked out. His triumphant call of her name as he came followed her into a dead sleep. 

 



***

 

 

Wednesday bloomed bright and sunny after the rain had doused the earth during the night. The world outside her window held no interest to her as she cornered Jessy and dragged her away from the rest of her friends and up the stairs to an empty bedroom. The redhead was her usual sunny self, but rings of darkness surrounded her bright eyes, and there was a tinge of pink around her nose. Manon felt bad about questioning her, but it couldn’t be avoided. They sat on the unmade bed after Manon locked the door.

 

“I wish this could wait, but it can’t. I need you to tell me everything you know about Paul Rogers and why he might be involved in all this.” Manon said, observing her friend closely as she mulled everything over. 

 

Jessy’s shoulders slumped, face falling before she replied, “Honestly, Manon, I have no fucking idea. I’ve known Richy and his family for years, and I’ve spent the last couple of days just overthinking everything, and I’ve got nothing. Paul rarely spoke about anything other than what was happening with the garage. I might have known them all, but I only realize now that I don’t actually  know  them.” 

 

Manon sighed, “I’m starting to believe nobody knows anything about anyone. It concerns me. How did Paul deal with his wife’s illness? Did he struggle a lot?” 

 

Jessy nodded, “I do know that. He did. When she started going downhill, Richy managed to keep it locked away, but Paul looked as if someone had erased all the color from him. I just… he looked so lost for a long time. He never really got back to how he used to be.”

 

“Why is her illness such a secret? Why do none of you know what it is?” 

 

Jessy shrugged, “They were a private family. Paul hated the idea of anyone pitying him, and Richy was the same. They dealt with things together, and then it was forgotten about or pushed aside.” 

 

Switching gears, Manon asked, “The day Richy was taken, do you remember seeing the vehicle Paul claimed to be doing an oil change in the garage?” 

 

Jessys eyes widened before her face cleared, and an expression of deep thought crossed her pretty features. 

 

“Most of that day is really… blurry. But I don’t think there was anything there. They haven’t had any real business for months, years really,” a short pause as she glanced away from Manon and back again, “unless he was working on his bike. Paul prefers his motorbike over his truck, and he’s often tinkering with it when business is slow, which is most days.” 

 

Manon filed that away but knew that wasn’t the answer. Paul had explicitly mentioned a car.

 

“Do you remember seeing the bike that day?” 

 

Jessy shook her head, “I don’t think I did. I was looking for Richy, though. It wouldn’t have registered since I see it so often. I didn’t see it the day we visited. I was worried he had to sell it to pay for Everly’s treatments but was too afraid to ask.” 

 

Interesting, Manon thought, it was plausible. Still, it didn’t feel right to her. 

 

“Okay, thank you, Jessy. Is there anything else you can think of? Even the tiniest thing could help me here.” She said, keeping her tone even to hide the fact she wanted to scream at yet another roadblock. 

 

“I don’t think so, but him having that book… I feel like he’s a complete stranger now. I’ve barely slept since we got back. I did read the book, though.” 

 

Manon arched a brow, wordlessly demanding she elaborate.

 

Jessy smiled, but it didn’t reach her hazel eyes, “It’s probably best if you read it yourself. I’d love to do a dramatic performance for you, but I want to call Phil and see how he’s getting on with the Festival starting.” 

 

Manon had nothing else to ask her and followed her out of the room and into the hallway, waiting there until Jessy went to her bedroom to grab the book. When her friend reappeared, she took the small black book and thanked her before climbing the stairs to her and Jake’s room. Once inside, she locked the door and settled on her bed to read the story of the Man Without a Face while Jake typed away in the corner. 

 

 

 

***

 

 

“Nonbon! Just the woman I was looking for.” Dan grinned as she joined him on the porch.

 

She laughed, head shaking as she sat on the steps beside him, “I don’t think I want to ask why you were looking for me.”

 

Dan snorted, “Nothing exciting. Haven’t seen you as much lately, that’s all.” he said, voice uncharacteristically gentle.

 

She turned to him, hearing the tinge of sorrow in his voice, “I’m sorry, things have been a bit...” She trailed off, hunting for words.

 

“Fucking mental?” Dan supplied, and she nodded, laughing at his bluntness.

 

“Yeah, fucking mental. You doing okay?”

 

Dan heaved a sigh, dark eyes traveling over the top of the treeline as he turned his phone over.

 

“My mom called.” He said by way of explanation.

 

Manon cocked a brow, “Is that a bad thing? I mean, I don’t have a mom, but most seem to enjoy talking to theirs.” She joked lightly, nudging him with her shoulder so he smiled.

 

“It’s not bad. I just worry about her being alone with all of this crap going on. I feel like shit for leaving her there.”

 

Manon hummed, looking away from him as he shifted and avoided her eye, “I’m sure she’ll be fine. I can stop in and check on her the next time I go into town if you want?”

 

“No, it’s fine. I just... She’s been through too much already. It’ll kill me if she’s dragged into this.” He muttered, shocking Manon. She was used to his brash attitude and sarcastic comments. This was a new side to a man she respected and liked.

 

Treading carefully, this was new ground, and she wasn’t sure where the landmines were or if there were any, she fished for more to better understand why Dan was the way he was.

 

“Does she have friends or anyone to look out for her while you’re gone?”

 

Dan nodded, “She has friends, not many, but enough. They visit her every day, and I keep in touch with the neighbors to make sure my ‘dad’ doesn’t show up.”

 

He spat out the word “dad” like a mouthful of bitter poison, his expression alight with a hatred so intense she feared it might eat him alive one day.

 

“I take it he wasn’t a good guy?” She asked, joining him in studying the trees as she clasped her hands atop her knees and breathed in the pine-scented air.

 

Dan gave a sardonic chuckle. It lifted the hair on her arms, and a chill snaked down her back.

 

“Fuck no. Death would be too kind for that bastard.”

 

Manon didn’t know what to say. His eyes had glazed over as if he’d gotten lost reminiscing and fallen into a deep pocket of old hurts and anger. Dan carried on without her input, seeming as if he needed to get this out, and he’d been waiting for her to do so.

 

“My mom, she can’t walk very well. It’s why I was so mad when Cleo’s mom allowed her to join the search for Hannah. My mom will do anything for anyone, no matter the cost to her... She couldn’t walk because the man who was supposed to be my father would beat her black and blue. He – he pushed her down the stairs one night. All she’d done was put peas in the casserole, and he maimed her for life... Broken plates, windows, and bones were normal with him. I hated him, still do, and always will.”

 

Manon’s predictable temper ignited. She’d dealt with many domestic abusers while working as a P.I. So many broken bodies and haunted faces ran through her mind like a slideshow, and she hated that Dan witnessed this. It left an indelible mark, a tattoo of pain and rage that guided every decision long after it had ended.

 

“Have you seen him recently?” She said tentatively, hoping she wouldn’t spook him out of whatever memory had taken control of his mouth.

 

“Not in years. He did come back once. He vanished after she ‘tripped’ down the stairs. Everyone knew what really happened. The neighbors had to call the cops a few times when he’d come home drunk and take out whatever grievances he had on her.”

 

“What happened then?” She asked, her heart bleeding for the little boy who could only hide while his world became violent voices stained with alcohol, terror, and blood-splattered fists.

 

Dan’s mouth thinned, lips going white as his brow furrowed and a shadow flickered in his eyes.

 

“It was ages ago now. I was only 13. He turned up at the door one day, hat in hand, asking if my mom was home. I don’t think he recognized me, but I knew who he was. He has a deep scar on his left hand, my mum managed to get out of the way on time once, and the bottle he aimed at her face slashed him instead. Drunk men fall a lot, Manon.” 

 

Manon forced a small laugh, knowing he needed that from her, “Was that the last time you ever saw him?”

 

Dan snorted a harsh sound that was more bitter than humorous.

 

“Nope. A few days later, I came home to find him on our porch again. With my mom this time. And she was covering up a fresh black eye and crying, he smirked at me, and I – I snapped.”

 

“I don’t blame you. What happened?”

 

Dan looked her in the face, eyes clear and glinting viciously as he grinned, but it looked more like he was baring his teeth than a genuine smile.

 

“I helped him off the porch. All I saw was my mom sobbing and trying to hide yet another bruise from that spineless cunt, and I had had enough. I was big for my age, and rage gave me the strength I needed to land a punch on his weak jaw and toss him out on his ass. He’s never come back... I like to think he drowned in his own piss down a gutter somewhere.”

 

Manon loosed a breath, scrambling for something to say when Dan spoke again.

 

“So, Nonbon. That’s my tragic backstory. And it’s also why I’m so protective over the women in our group, even you. I don’t want that to happen to any of you. But I’m useless to you like this.” He waved a hand over his injured legs before dropping it back onto his thigh.

 

She knew kind words weren’t what he needed and came to a decision she’d either regret or be glad she’d offered.

 

“You said you can shoot?”

 

Dan’s brows lifted, his frown clearing as he inclined his head, “Yeah, why?”

 

She grinned, “You can prove it to me tomorrow. We’ll do some target practice, and I’ll let you have a gun if you’re telling the truth.”

 

Dan’s entire face brightened and glowed, a huge smile overtaking it as he turned and wrapped her up in a bear hug so tight she couldn’t move. Giggling, cheeks burning as he broke away, she lightly punched his shoulder once he let her go.

 

“Don’t tell anyone, Nonbon. But you’re my favorite.

 

“Good. I don’t like second place... You’ll be my favorite if you can manage a gun.” She jested, making him laugh.

 

She got to her feet, wanting to help Cleo with dinner and allow Dan some time alone before he faced everyone. It was draining and exhausting to reveal one’s darkest secrets and deepest hurts. He’d be raw for a little while. She’d reached the front door when his voice made her look over her shoulder.

 

“Will that put Hackerman in second place?”

 

She gave him the middle finger as he winked and chuckled.

 

“Possibly... See you for dinner, Daniels.”

 

 

 

 

Jake  

 

 

“There’s someone outside,” Manon whispered, voice urgent. 

 

Jake turned to her, “are you sure? It’s pitch black out there.” 

 

“Well, unless the birds figured out how to use a flashlight, someone’s out there.” 

 

Jake choked back a laugh and shook his head, heart rate climbing as he peered out the window. 

 

“Can you make them out?” He asked after a tense moment. 

 

“No. They’re pacing along the tree line. Keep watch for me.” She said and scrambled off the bed, darting to the safe door. Jake was torn, watch the window or make sure Manon wasn’t planning something insane? He didn’t get much choice in the end as the safe swung open, and he heard her grabbing something, the click and clang of metal meeting metal telling him everything.

 

“You’re not going out there, Manon.” He all but growled as he tore his eyes away from the person pacing the boundary of the forest. 

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. Should I invite them in for tea instead?” She spat at him, hesitating before pulling on a Kevlar vest and shoving her feet into her boots. 

 

Jake was moving before she could stop him, putting his own shoes on and grabbing his hoody off her chair before following her downstairs. They found everyone in the dark kitchen, tense and silent, as they eyed the figure outside. Manon sighed, and he caught the flash of her gun as her hand fell to her side.

 

“What the fuck are you doing?” She hissed, making everyone jump and whip their heads to them

 

“Jessy saw something on her way to the bathroom, and we were making sure it was worth waking you two up,” Cleo murmured. 

 

“We weren’t sleeping. If anything happens. You wake me up. I don’t give a fuck if it turns out to be a raccoon digging through the trash. You wake me up, understood? Good. Now, move.” She ordered, and when they hesitated, she began to count down from three. She didn’t get to two before the way was clear. Jake steeled himself, he wasn’t letting her go out alone, and he didn’t care if that pissed her off. He eyed the hand holding her gun. Not a tremor or anything to give away if she was scared or nervous. She even felt distant from him then, like she’d shut off a part of herself that made her feel and think. A creature of no emotion or connection, and it was disconcerting to see how quickly she could shut everything off. Still, he knew how brutal it could be when she allowed herself to care again. She was moving out the door by the time he’d shoved himself out of his head.

 

He followed her outside and tried to be as quiet as she. Before they reached the tree line, the flashlight swung away from them, but the person still stalked up and down. Manon stopped and aimed her gun at a tree a reasonable distance from them and the person watching the house.

 

“FBI. You have five seconds to show yourself before I blow a new hole in your useless hide,” She crooned and counted down. The figure had frozen, but she got to one and fired a warning shot. It was like a bomb had gone off in the deadly silent forest. His ears rang and whined as the echo of the blast finally came to a stuttering end.

 

“Good. Now I can kill them and say I warned them without lying.” Then she took off running after the person now bolting away from them. 

 

Jake cursed and flew after her, following the blur of her hair as it streamed behind her like a banner. It was his only beacon in a darkness so complete it felt physical. It pressed in on him, and he was reminded of nights spent in underground tunnels, starving and freezing, damp rock cutting into his back but not daring to move, knowing his pursuers were close on his heels. He shook it off and focused on Manon as she weaved through the trees. He could hear the one they were chasing crashing through the undergrowth, snapping twigs, and the crunch of their feet made it to his ears over the deafening rush of blood. Manon moved like a dancer, nimble and light on her feet. She leaped and threw herself around tight beds, using the tree trunks to push off of, and was soon gaining on their stalker.

 

He watched as she stopped, body going still and tense, like a bowstring just before the archer lets the arrow fly, and he didn’t dare breathe for fear of distracting her as he reached her side. A second shot rang out, and Manon slid her eyes to him. She was barely breaking a sweat as someone yelped in pain. Their steps slowed and faltered but soon picked up speed, and Manon groaned.

 

“They never just die. They always want to live.” She snarled and picked up the chase again. 

 

Sweat dripped down his back as they ran, Manon hardly seemed winded as the trees began to thin, and they caught glimpses of the black tarmac of the main road. His skin stung and itched. He’d taken a few branches to the face and neck. His pride hurt worse than his face. Their stalker had reached the end of the trees and was limping painfully as he tried to haul ass. It clicked then who he was, and if he knew, so did Manon. She burst through the trees just ahead of him. He swore and willed energy into his legs to catch up. He regretted relaxing his daily workouts. He reached her as she called out another order for the man to stop and noticed the motorbike a second later.

 

“If you want to end this tonight, Paul, hand yourself over now, and I can help you stop him.”

 

When Paul didn’t listen, Manon aimed and pulled the trigger. Jake managed to brace himself for the sickening impact, but it never came. Paul dove to the ground just as she had pulled the trigger, rolling a short distance before popping back up. He hobbled backward, closer to his bike, and whipped his hand out the hooded jacket he wore. Manon was primed to leap forward and tackle Paul until they both saw what he held in his hand. Manon cursed, vile and shocking, as his blood froze in his veins. His head emptied out and went quiet. Too quiet as Paul aimed at the love of his life. Without his say-so, his body moved, trying to shield her as the gun went off. She had time to shove him out of the way. She had no time to get herself out.

 

Jake saw that bullet propelling toward her like it was moving through water. Slow and steady, the air rippling as it cut a path through it. Every sluggish beat of his heart seemed to draw out too long. Copper on his tongue. No thoughts in his mind. Nothing, just...nothing. All he could do was watch as it hit her. He felt the impact like a solid kick to his own chest. He let out a roar, ripped from the bottom of his soul as she yelled, the air in her lungs punched out with it. Her petite body toppled back onto the ground, where she lay still. The motorbike purred to life, but it didn’t really register. He was on his knees beside her in a blink, hands roaming over her torso, searching for the wound or gush of blood when she gasped so loudly he jolted. She was huffing air, winded, tense, and wide-eyed, as she grabbed his hand and managed to scold him.

 

“I’m wearing a vest, you fucking idiot. Don’t ever try that again.”

 

He laughed. So relieved he didn’t care, he sounded crazed enough that Manon’s eyes shifted from anger to concern for him. He shook his head, still smiling.

 

“I can’t promise that I’m afraid. Can you get up?”

 

She huffed but went silent for a moment, nodding just as he was about to ask what was wrong.

 

“Yeah, I think so. Did he get away?”

 

Jake didn’t have to say it, she knew by the expression on his face, and she closed her eyes, mouth clamping shut. He didn’t push her, only helped her stand. Her movements were graceless and pained, a hand pressed to where she’d been hit, right under her heart. That knowledge made him stumble and almost drop her, death had been by her side tonight, and she’d escaped it again. How long before death stopped waiting and began to take? He was starting to spiral when he noticed Manon was trembling violently, and her hand was clenched around the gun so tight he thought she might break it in half. Tenderly, he pried her fingers off the weapon, taking it from her. He’d expected her to protest, but her eyes were covered in shadows. Her skin had turned white, a cold sweat beading on her forehead as her labored breathing worsened.

 

“Hey, hey, look at me, Manon, look at me,” Jake said, seeing that she was getting dragged into her nightmares but a waking one.

 

He grabbed her shaking hand and laid it flat on his chest, covering it with his own to keep it there as he stared into her dull eyes. Frantically trying to keep her in the present, ensuring she didn’t get lost amongst the ghosts of her past.

 

“Feel that? Count the beats for me. You’re not there, Manon. You’re in Duskwood with your friends and me. You’re here, you’re here. Count the beats. I’m here. I’ll always be here.” He swore.

 

She took a thick breath, eyes closing as her fingers tapped out of time against his chest. Nothing happened for a long time, her skin was cold under his palm, and he hated it. Gradually, she was repainted in full color, still shaking and hiding behind closed eyelids, but he simply waited. He counted each inhale and exhale she took, watching her face slowly begin to relax and calm, but her fingers still tapped his chest. At first, he thought she was counting with her fingers, but it wasn’t that simple. It was a repeating pattern she’d used on him in the past, Morse Code. But this time, it wasn’t a lure to follow her. He pushed aside the thoughts racing in his head and ignored the steel band seizing his chest, focusing on what she was trying to tell him. He smiled, chuckling as her eyes opened, and he replied to her silent words.

 

“I love you too... you back with me again?”

 

She smiled softly, a tiny thing that barely counted, but he saw it and the gratitude shining in her wicked eyes.

 

“Thank you… I almost didn’t put the vest on.” She whispered in a tremulous voice, fingers toying with the spot she’d been hit as she grimaced.

 

“Thank fuck you did then,” he paused, lifting his hands to cup her face and put his mouth on hers.

 

The image of her being hit and falling played in his mind like the world’s worst recap reel. He might’ve lost her tonight. This could’ve ended with him washing her blood off his hands and handing her over to some stranger to sew her back together before they could bury her. Too close. Way too fucking close. He swept his tongue inside her mouth, clearing away the bitter taste of adrenaline and fear with her, fire and fight, life. He sighed deeply, too relieved she was okay to worry about where they were. She wasn’t, though, and soon broke away.

 

“As much as I’d love to continue this, we have to go back and make sure everyone’s okay.” She said.

 

The trudge back to the house felt endless despite not being too far away. Every light in the house was on as they stalked up the drive and let themselves inside. Manon locked the door and set the security alarms before entering the kitchen, where their friends gathered. All eyes on them, they gladly accepted the drinks handed to them. He downed the bourbon in one, but Manon only sipped at hers. She sat tense and still in his lap. He’d snagged the last stool, and he could sense her need to escape and hide.

 

He took over explaining, keeping it short and to the point. He refused to answer any questions. Manon tried to intervene, but she was lagging, hunched over, and leaning heavily on him. Finally, Jessy and Lilly told the others to quit being nosey bastards and fuck off back to bed, shooing him and Manon out before they could get waylaid again. At the bottom of the stairs, Manon gazed up at them like she was about to begin climbing Mount Everest, not 13 stairs. He knew she’d never ask, so he scooped her up and carried her to their room, setting her down on the bed. She tried to hide it, but he caught the wince and hiss of breath when he jostled her.

 

“Just lie still. Let me check it.” He said and reached for the zip on her vest, sliding it all the way until the vest gaped wide and she loosed a long breath,

 

“It’s just going to bruise. Maybe cracked a rib or two - a scratch.” She murmured as she attempted to shimmy out of the vest without moving her torso.

 

It would’ve been funny if she hadn’t told him how badly she could be hurt.

 

“Fuck, Manon, stop,” He said when she failed to sit up and collapsed on her back, a maddened, agonized noise coming from her, she glared at him, but there was no heat behind it. He just grinned, “see, lie still, and I’ll check you over. If anything is broken, we’re going to the hospital.”

 

Manon opened her mouth to deny him, he gave her a no-nonsense look, a single shake of his head, and she snapped it shut, eyes still throwing daggers at him. He removed her vest and shirt by painstaking inches, holding his breath as her creamy, scarred skin filled his vision. He could already see the purple, yellow, and red blooming like spring flowers. Trailing his fingers over the area, barely touching her, she froze and sucked in air when he reached the darkest part.

 

“I’m going to have to press on it, Manon.” He said regretfully, and she nodded, eyes hardening.

 

“Just do it. Get it over with.” She insisted.

 

Jake didn’t want to drag it out and damage her more, so he firmly pressed the pads of his fingers into the marks, pushing and massaging slightly, trying to feel for anything obviously broken. He remembered doing this on himself many moons ago, crying out in a dank space, blood drying on his skin long after it had poured from his nose, body decorated in so many bruises his skin looked like a macabre patchwork quilt. Manon’s weren’t quite so bad, and he felt no breaks. He thought he might float away. The relief made him feel so light. She was eyeing his face, teeth clenched as she breathed through them, and he wasn’t sure what she might be seeing there. He cleared his throat and removed his hands from her body.

 

“I can’t feel anything. I think you got lucky, and it’ll just bruise badly.” He whispered, bending to kiss her forehead.

 

“Are you okay?” She asked, ignoring everything he’d said about her.

 

“No. That was too close, Manon.”

 

“I know. I shouldn’t have said his name. He wouldn’t have shot me if I’d just let him go. I already knew it was him. I just wanted to end it tonight now they know where we live. Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.” She smiled, and a little more light shone in her emerald eyes.

 

“We can figure it out tomorrow. Sleep first, and don’t you dare try and get up. I’ll help you undress.”

 

She arched a brow, tone playful now as she tried to banish the tension, “If you’re hoping for a ‘we survived’ fuck, it’s not gonna happen. I wish it could, but...” She lifted one shoulder in an approximation of a shrug, a cheeky grin on her lips.

 

He huffed a laugh, unable to stop himself from smiling back.

 

“It’s fine. You can make it up to me later.” He teased as she winked and blew him a kiss.

 

“You’re a good man, Jake. Help me under the covers, then.” She laughed.

 

He did, and her words rolled around his head, ringing like a bell as he got her out of her clothes and stripped off his own, getting into bed and carefully pulling her against him. You’re a good man...  and he finally believed her.

Notes:

Well, thank you for reading. I truly hope you enjoyed it. I just can’t say thank you enough.

I’ve begun editing the earlier chapters. I self-edited them and I’ve always wanted to redo them. No major changes, though, just style and grammar. I won't upload them here until I'm done.

The chat with Dan was completely unexpected, I hadn’t planned for that in this chapter. But it felt right and a nice break between the rest.Next chapter, no smut, but more insanity. It won't be up this week, maybe not next week either. It's my 30th birthday at the end of this week and I doubt I'll have time to write for a bit. It is coming, don't worry!

Chapter 28: It’s buried in your bones, I see it in your closed eyes, turning in

Summary:

It's Thursday in Duskwood and there are a lot of things to settle and some secret plotting happening. Manon isn’t taking kindly to being injured. Silly bastards.

Notes:

A/N: Im sorry that this is basically 6000 words of conversations. They wouldn't shut up, lol. I didn't plan for it to be but when you can't fuck, you talk and that's what they wanted. It's a stepping stone for the next chapters which will be... tough. Thanks so much for the love on the last chapter, I was so nervous and I just really appreciate it!

I hope you enjoy it despite the talking. A lot of shit just came out when I sat down to write this. "In my feelings more than Drake, so yeah"

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

28

 

"Seven times it came when you were not awake

Seven times the flame 

too much to take

The sky burns red against your skin

The world we know turns in the wind

 

Comin' like a hurricane, I take it in real slow

The world is spinning like a weather vane

Fragile and composed

Though I am breaking down again

I am aching now to let you in

 

It's all we know, all we know, the hurricane

Falling slow, falling slow in the pouring rain

Watch it go, watch it go, we stay the same

And I don't know, I don't know how it can change"

Hurricane - Fleurie

******

 

 

 

 

 

Manon

 

 

"I heard there was an altercation at your place last night." Alan Bloomgate drawled, and Manon rolled her eyes, wincing as she shifted in her chair. 

 

"Mmm. Keep an eye on the hospital. I injured him, but it wasn't lethal." 

 

Alan sighed, so long and loud Manon worried he'd pass out. 

 

"And you couldn't have called the police instead of shooting him? Did you find out who he was?" 

 

Manon scoffed and kept Paul's identity to herself. She didn't trust Alan not to rush in and fuck up any chance she had of ending this cleanly.

 

"Yeah, sure, because you've proven how well you can handle this shit. And no, his face was covered by that stupid mask."

 

Jake was trying to smother a laugh across from her, and she pointedly ignored the concern in his eyes as she absently rubbed her chest. She hadn't been able to wear a bra on that morning, had felt like she was in a vice, and Jake had had to take it off for her. It was not her finest moment. 

 

"I'll keep an eye out. Let me know if he returns." Alan said in a flat tone and hung up before she could reply. 

 

She locked her phone and set it on the table, eyeing Jake, whose eyes flashed with mischief. 

 

"Do you ever have anything nice to say to or about him?" He laughed.

 

"Well... he's alive." She smirked and winked, delighting in his dark chuckle. 

 

"True. If you keep rubbing at that, you'll wear a hole in your top." He pointed out, and she scowled, gingerly crossing her arms. 

 

"Leave me be. I'm fine." She insisted.

 

"No. You're not. Take the painkillers." He countered. 

 

"And if something happens?" She said, throwing her arm out and instantly regretted it.

 

Jake glowered and flattened his palms on the table, drawing her eye to his elegant fingers as he tapped them melodically. Her mind was always stuck on one track.

His turbulent eyes speared her through as he talked.

 

"Then something fucking happens, Manon. I'll deal with it. Take the meds and go lie down. Take one Goddamn day off." 

 

The words rang through her head, a siren flashing red as he settled back down and clasped his hands atop the table. She watched that too. 

 

Still, she fought for every inch, tone caustic as she said, "not today, Jake. Not until after this is done with."

 

"Not good enough. You'll end up dead if you keep going with no rest in between. You are not alone. It's time you stopped acting like you were." 

 

His face was carved from stone. Harsh, unyielding lines and sharp edges. Thick, magnificent brows that were as expressive as he was with her. And he was one hundred percent correct.

 

"Look, I'm sorry. I don't think before I act. But I'm trying. It feels like I've known you for a long time, but the truth is that I haven't. It'll take me some time to adjust. So will you. Or do you think I haven't noticed your anxiety lately? Like at the police station." She turned it back on him. It had been bothering her for days, and she hated the haunted sheen his eyes took on while he got lost in the maze of his clever mind. 

 

He cringed, visibly shuddering and looking away, off to the side. His acerbic chuckle was barely audible. 

 

"We both have shit to figure out, Manon. It's not going to happen overnight. But you still need to look after yourself before you can even think of helping anyone else. One damn day. That's all I'm asking." 

 

She sighed, the fight leaving her as his eyes softened and remained fixed on her. 

 

"Fine. I promised Dan something yesterday. He needs to feel useful. I can do that instead." 

 

Jake scrubbed at his jaw with a steady hand, eyes narrowing slightly. 

 

"That's still not resting." He said. 

 

"I'll sit beside him and do nothing. I promise." She said and held her pinky out, a childish gesture to make the shadows in his pretty eyes disappear as he reached out, hooked his pinky around hers, and shook. 

 

"Okay. Wait there." 

 

She gave him a quizzical look, but he didn't explain as he disappeared for a few minutes. He returned to the dining room with a bottle of water and two of the strong painkillers she'd been prescribed the last time she'd gotten hurt on a job. They made her feel fuzzy and dim-witted like her bones had been replaced by fizz. She scowled as she took them from him and tossed them into her mouth, accepting the water to wash them down as he looked on approvingly.

 

"Happy now?" She asked once she'd set the water down. 

 

"Very." He winked, and she couldn't muster up the annoyance she wanted to feel at being mothered. Instead, a quiet satisfaction and deep love in her chest glowed brightly under his watchful, caring eyes. Overprotective, yes, and she'd have to keep an eye on it. Unbearably sweet and kind? Absolutely.

 

Jake bent down to catch her lips in his and kiss her sweetly. She could almost taste the relief on his tongue before he pulled back as Lilly came into the room, holding an envelope. Manon arched a brow and listened.

 

"I was out on the porch, and the mailman dropped this off." She said and handed the letter to Manon.

 

Under the curious eyes of Jake and his sister, Manon opened the envelope. She slid the letter out, skimming the page quickly before she cleared her throat and said, "Our request to visit Ted Madruga has been approved."

 

Lilly's eyes widened, "When? I thought we'd never get to see him."

 

"Saturday morning, 9 am. We'll have to leave really early." Manon replied, stomach sinking as she realized she'd be away from town on the festival's biggest day.

 

Jake watched her closely as he said, "I'll be here. You won't be that far away if anything happens."

 

She smiled softly at him and ignored the twisting sensation in her belly.

 

"This is good. Maybe he knows something." Lilly said.

 

"Let's hope so." Manon sighed, tucking the letter back into the envelope.

 

She left Jake chatting with Lilly, claiming she needed the bathroom, and went upstairs as fast as her battered body would allow. Gritting her teeth as pain radiated with each inhale she took. The painkillers were slowly starting to work, but it would be a while before she would no longer care about the pain. 

 

Closing her bedroom door, she walked to her nightstand and opened the drawer, grabbing the burner phone before she locked herself in the bathroom. She sat on the closed toilet and smiled grimly at the messages waiting for her. Something inside her settled as she read them and sent her reply. If she, by some dark twist of fate, failed, it wouldn't be the end, and it would have to be enough.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

An hour later, she was shaken awake and blinked blearily up at Jake, who had the nerve to grin at her. She'd taken his advice to lie down and couldn't remember closing her eyes. The pills were wearing off now. Her body still felt boneless, and she felt like someone had thrown a blanket over her brain. Her thoughts were muffled and moving at a glacial pace. Jake frowned as she unfurled her legs and let out a short hiss of breath as she irritated her ribs. 

 

How are you feeling?" He asked, going around his side of the bed and joining her. His hand settled tentatively on her hip as if he was afraid to touch her anywhere else, and though he pressed in close to her back, he was careful not to jostle her.

 

"Like I shouldn't have listened to you." She joked lightly once he'd pressed a kiss to the back of her neck.

 

He huffed a laugh, "I'm glad you did. You looked like you were about to keel over." He murmured.

 

"Takes more than a blow to the chest to knock me out, Jake, you know that." She whispered, mind going back to that night she'd pulled down the last brick in her inner walled fortress and let him in, spilling out the blood and glory of her past life. 

 

"I know. But it isn't weak to rest, Manon. You're still human, even if you could kick my ass." He laughed, making her grin and grab the hand on her hip, threading their fingers together and carefully pulling his arm around her. He hummed happily as she did.

 

"Yeah, yeah. You won, Jake, don't be a bad winner." She teased, but he didn't laugh with her.

 

He drew in a breath, holding it before he released it in a shuddering exhale that had all her instincts firing at once. There was a lot of pain and fear loaded in that sigh, and she hated it.

 

"What's wrong?" She demanded, body tensing along with his.

 

"Nothing right now," He said, and she opened her mouth to snap at him, but he went on, "You were right earlier when you said I'm hiding from you."

 

Manon relaxed an inch and braced herself, "What is it? Are you in trouble?" There was a distinct note of panic in her voice that he soothed by kissing her neck again and squeezing her hand three times.

 

"No. I want to tell you why I nearly freaked out at the police station and again last night."

 

She loosed a breath and nodded, heart jumping in her chest as she spoke.

 

"You don't have to. I was just being mean because I felt cornered. I'm sorry."

 

"No, you were right. I can't expect you to tell me everything and not give the same in return. I feel like I've known you all my life, and it's hard to believe I haven't. All that time I was running, I didn't dare dream of having this or anyone in my life. I couldn't. It would have gotten them killed, and it still could." He admitted, each whispered word piercing through the sheer veil the painkillers had placed in her mind.

 

"How close did they get?" She asked, part of her knowing the answer.

 

"They caught me. Once. And they've gotten very close once or twice since then."

 

Nodding, swallowing past the lump in her throat, she said, "What happened when they caught you?"

 

Jake's grip on her hand tightened, and Manon wished she could wipe the anguish in his voice away.

 

"Truthfully, I handed myself over. I needed to know what they knew. And I wanted them to know they would only ever get to me if I let them. They'd tried and failed many times, and I thought I'd give them a win. I lured them in, left traces of my presence scattered around the city for them to find, and when they drew close, I let them... I spent a few weeks locked in a shipping container on the docks of the city I had been hiding in. They kept me restrained in complete darkness, and every other day, someone would come to interrogate me or mete out some pain when I pissed them off enough."

 

Her eyes stung, water blurred her vision as she pictured him helpless and hurt, and wished she could erase the memories. Replace them with something good and pure. She didn't interrupt as he took a deep breath and plowed on.

 

"They were careful to only use their fists and feet, orders from their boss as he wanted to be the one to kill me. I got free before that, but I was a mess. Broken ribs and nose, cuts and so many bruises I couldn't have counted them. And I couldn't risk going anywhere. I spent some time living in the underground tunnels and only came out to find food or water. I didn't see daylight for a while and I thought I'd go mad at one point. It took a month before I could run again, and luckily they hadn't found my other hideaway, so I grabbed my laptops and everything else I could carry and left the city. The last time they got close, when I went quiet, I thought that was it for me. I'd escaped once. And not cleanly. They wouldn't make that mistake again. I never wanted to drag you into that, and I still hate myself for taking what I wanted." His voice had thickened and cracked through his tale, and Manon despised it. 

 

He'd always been so unshakeable, and it rattled her hearing him sound so uncertain, but then it changed. Confident now, his voice didn't waver as he said, "I know darkness, Manon. I know pain, and I know strength. You have them in spades. And I know everything you try to keep hidden from everyone else, and I am not afraid. I want to be with you, the woman, not who you had to become though I love her too. I want your flaws and everything you think makes you unlovable. I want all of you. I love all of you."

 

Tears slipped down her face and into her ear as she absorbed his impassioned speech and felt the final stubborn shards of her mental armor slip free of her skin and hit the floor. 

 

"I – I want everything. I want to know you now and then. When I think about the future, you're there. It's always going to be you for me. You have blood on your hands? Good. So do I. We can wash it off together... but a bigger part of me wants to take your hand and run away from all of this, find that deserted island we spoke about, and live. I don't give a fuck who you had to trample over to get to me. I only care that you're here. But I understand. I've been running too, not physically, but I buried myself in work and other shit that didn't matter to hide the fact I was breaking. I still feel like that sometimes. Whenever we hit another brick wall here, I want to ram it down or turn my back on it. For so long, I had to be strong and tough, but I think I'm just too soft for all of it, and you're the only thing that feels safe."

 

Taking a deep breath, she forced herself to keep going. She heard the tremble in her voice as she bared herself to him in a way that felt more intimate than anything they'd done in bed together.

 

"But so many people I loved are just people I knew once, and I am terrified, Jake. I wasn't enough to save my dad. What if I'm not enough to save us? What if that makes you hate me? It's not that I think I can't do it. I believe I will. But it's not just me anymore, and that's what scares me. I didn't care if I walked away from a fight before, now I do, and I don't know how to be what I need to be to win when I care." 

 

There it was. The whole of it. And everything she'd kept locked inside reinforced vault doors deep in the recesses of her mind. Once she'd opened the door, it had spun out of her and into his hands. Those thin gossamer strands of herself formed an intricate portrait of Manon and who she was at her very core. Powerful and nuanced, fragmented and intact. A contradiction.

 

Strength didn't mean she could never bend. Sharing the entirety of who she was shouldn't be a weakness. It was her fiercest resilience, and that was a different type of strength. Her body was strong, despite the injury, and she knew it would be a bugbear until she could move decently again. She could bear it if it meant no one else had to. Luckily, the pain was relatively mild, and she could wriggle slowly closer to him as he clicked his tongue and almost stopped the blood flow to her hand. 

 

"If there is anything you never need fear, it's me hating you. No, I mean it. Let me speak." He said firmly, kissing her shoulder after she opened her mouth and made an indignant noise, "You might hate me. When they finally catch up to me." He countered. It sounded ridiculous.

 

Chuckling, uncomfortable now, she crossed her metaphorical fingers, "They won't, not for a while at least." She said, dreading his reaction, "I asked Steve to cast a net wider than you had time to. So double protection for now." 

 

"You have to let me fight my own battles, Manon. You can't save everyone." 

 

"No. But I can stop you all from getting killed if we have more time where you can stay in one place." 

 

Jake sighed, "I appreciate that, Manon. I do. But it's enough that you got me out of legal trouble. Let me handle this after we find Hannah. Steve will be busy then anyway." 

 

Manon wanted to vomit at that and the idea it would take them so long but understood the need to save himself. He had more tools at his disposal now, and it was time she let go of the need to control all outcomes. This wasn't her battle. 

 

"Okay. I'll tell him to lift it once we find her. But it won't take that long." She promised him. 

"Good." He said, "I am forever in your debt for everything you've done for me, Manon. This is something I need to handle myself."

 

"I know. And you don't owe me anything. I did it for me too."

 

Changing the subject, she voiced the thought that had been rolling around her mind.

 

"Those men who hurt you, tell me they're dead."

 

Jake didn't flinch at the violence emanating from her tone, "They are." He confirmed, and she snarled, "Good," wishing she could find their bones and burn them to ashes.

 

Jake chuckled weakly, and she smiled softly. They enjoyed the peace between them for a little longer before she heard Cleo call them for lunch. He eyed her warily as she carefully uncoiled and rose to her feet, following him down the stairs and into the kitchen.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jake  

 

 

After lunch, Manon had taken Dan outside to test his claim. Gunshots and Dan's smug shouts punctuated his rapid typing as he checked if any hits had drawn nearer after his conversation with Manon. She'd taken Hannah's phone outside with her, claiming she wanted something to do while Dan played at being a cop. Finding nothing, he clicked out and planned to try and get a trace on Paul Rogers when his phone buzzed. A number he didn't recognize, and he instantly sat straighter, his pulse kicking up its pace as he opened the message.

 

 Jake, it's Steve. We need to talk.

 

Those four words held the power to stop even the mightiest of people in their tracks and fill them with a smothering, sickening dread. He was no different. His thoughts swam in and out of focus as he typed a reply.

 

Jake: Is everything okay? Do you need Manon?

 

Steve: No, on both. It's about Manon. Is this a safe chat?

 

Jake frowned, a cold sweat forming on his palms as he digested the message.

 

Jake: It is. What's up?

 

Steve: She will kill me if she finds out, so delete this after you read it, and I'll talk to you more later. I have a flight to catch.

 

Jake: I understand. Go ahead.

 

Staring at those three dots as Steve typed was more nervewracking than he'd have thought. And when the message came through, invisible shackles of ice wrapped around his wrists and locked, the key nowhere to be found. It was a poison in his veins as he read what Manon had planned. Fight or flight? A month ago, he'd have said flight. Today? He'd fight to the death, and even then, he'd find a way to keep going. Steve went offline the moment he sent the message, and Jake's many questions would have to wait. He deleted the chat and put his phone down.

 

Gritting his teeth as Manon called to Dan outside, he stared blindly at the wall, sorted through it all, and tried to decide whether he was angry. He wanted to be. Fury's roasting flames would be a gift, but he only felt the freezing sting of fear and a resolute calm that belied the tremble in his hand as he shut down his laptop. For all it could hurt, bleed and burn, he'd been designed for this, to love and worry about Manon. It was an invincible and tenable love he knew would last. And she'd gone behind his back in order to save him, his sister, and the new friends she treasured above herself. 

She claimed to be selfish, greedy, and undeserving of having the love she gave so freely. If she could see what he saw each time he looked at her, she'd realize that everyone who knew her treasured everything she saw as a ripped edge. They were similar in that regard. He didn't believe he was worth the love she'd offered him, and he had to work every day to convince himself that if she found him worthy, that was enough. Maybe they could believe in each other until they could believe in themselves. 

 

Everything in him wanted to hash this out with her, force her to see it for the folly it was. He knew Steve would be pissed if he did, and Manon would hate her oldest friend for going behind her back. Instead, he reached behind him, grabbing a handful of his hoody and pulled it over his head. He shoved his feet into his sneakers before leaving the house for a run. Needing to get outside and push away his deceit so he could face her without giving everything away. He shoved his earphones in as he entered the forest and left his troubles behind him.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"You will never guess who owns the gun we found the other day," Manon said as she padded into their bedroom. 

 

He'd just gotten dressed after his shower and had been waiting for her. He smiled, "Tell me." 

 

She sat beside him on the bed, edging over to his side, body stiff as she tried not to bother her ribs. He slipped an arm around her and kissed her temple once she'd settled down.

 

"Your beloved sister, Lilly." She breathed, and his brows almost disappeared into his hairline.

 

"What?" He said dumbly, making Manon snort.

 

"That was pretty much my exact reaction. Dan told me. He'd seen it before. It belongs to her cretin of a father." She explained.

 

"Are you going to ask her about it?" He said once he'd regained control of his brain and could form words again. Every time Nathan Donfort was mentioned, a pit opened up inside him, and he hated it, wanted to throw the man down and seal it up. 

 

Manon turned the full power of her glimmering green eyes on him. A smirk that made him uneasy played on her lips as she said, "No. I think I'll leave that to you." 

 

"What? Why me?" He sputtered.

 

"She's your sister, and I think she'll be more open to you than she would with me. I tend to make people feel defensive." She laughed, resting her head on his shoulder.

 

Thinking it over, he saw the merits of her suggestion, but he knew himself. He and Lilly had barely overcome that awkward feeling that arose each time they talked. 

 

"And if she doesn't?" 

 

Manon replied, "she will. She's on her way up. I told her you wanted to talk about the prison visit, so you better figure it out fast!" 

 

She was giggling as she eased herself off the bed, grabbed a clean towel from the pile he'd dried earlier, and shuffled backward as she informed him of her plans.

 

"I'm going to have a bath and listen to music while you do that. I'll leave it unlocked if you need me. Good luck." She winked and blew him a kiss.

 

He watched her until the bathroom door shut. Almost as if they'd timed it, Lilly's knock on the bedroom door ricocheted through the silent room a second before Manons music bled out from under the crack in the door. He called for Lilly to enter and smiled back at his sister as she came inside. She hesitated momentarily but sat down on the end of the bed as Jake hunted for the right words. 

 

"You look stressed. What's up?" Lilly said before he could make his mouth work. 

 

"I'm fine, really... how are you?" He cringed as he said it but didn't know how to broach the topic of the gun yet. 

 

Lilly's mouth pursed for a moment before it flattened out, and she nodded, "All right. Worried. Scared. Tired. The usual these days. I can't remember the last time I wasn't all those things." 

 

"It does feel like it's permanent sometimes,” He agreed and sighed, looking away to stare at the wall of bookshelves Manon had told him were basically porn on paper. 

 

Lilly hummed in agreement, "It does. Manon said you were worried about the prison visit?" 

 

Jake groaned internally. He had half a mind to punish her for this the next time he had her under him. 

 

"Yeah. That was a lie." He said, resolute in his decision to be honest with Lilly as she seemed to respect that, "I know you brought the gun. I wanted to make sure you were okay." 

 

Lilly went still, not even blinking, as she stared at him. He tried to keep his expression empty of everything except understanding and support. When he didn't react negatively, she closed her eyes, shoulders slumping, and there was a hitch in her voice when she explained.

 

"I know it was stupid. I just wanted to have something with me to make me feel better. Thomas almost caught me with it the night before Cleo found it. I'd hidden it in the living room but was scared they'd find it. So I hid it in the kitchen, and Cleo just had to go looking there the next day." She rolled her eyes, but she was smiling slightly. 

 

"I get it. This isn't a normal situation, and Manon isn't upset. She's more annoyed that she couldn't make you feel safe without it." He said. Manon hadn't told him that, but he'd pieced it together from the bits she'd given him. 

 

"It's not that. I just kept thinking that Hannah wouldn't have been taken if she'd had the gun. I didn't want to risk the same thing." Lilly admitted quietly.

 

Jake felt a burst of affection for her, he was still getting used to their relationship, but he wanted one with her and Hannah once they found her.

 

"Hannah was ambushed, Lilly. She wouldn't have been able to use it. I won't let anything happen to you, and neither will Manon. I promise."

 

Lilly gave him a genuine smile and nodded, and he almost saw the weight lifting off her small shoulders as she exhaled. They chatted about silly, meaningless things for a few minutes before Lilly left to see if Dan wanted to watch a movie. Jake decided to go in and let Manon know what had gone down. He could still hear one of her favorite songs playing, one he almost knew every word to by now, as he knocked on the door and let himself in. She was up to her neck in hot water and bubbles, and her eyes closed as she rested her head on the lip of the bath and sang along quietly to the music. If he could've stayed suspended in that moment forever, he would have.

 

Waiting until the song ended, he let the door snap shut as a new one began, and her eyes opened immediately, a smirk on her mouth as she caught him watching her.

 

"If we bend the right way, I think you can fit in here." She joked, lifting a leg and nudging her head toward the bath as she giggled.

 

Admiring her, Jake thought she might just be the best of them all. There was a sharp edge to her beauty that spoke of everything she'd gone through to become the woman she was. Her eyes were a safe haven he sought whenever he walked into a room. It wasn't just contained to her; she spread that beauty everywhere she went and was bold enough to love with full strength and softness. She once told him he was the most beautiful person she'd ever seen and made him believe it. It was the magic she carried and used to soothe and heal. And beneath the blades, guns, and vicious tongue, she was tender-hearted and easily wounded. And he knew he'd spend the rest of their days trying to convince her she wasn't the monster she believed she was.

 

"I'm fine where I am." He murmured as he neared the bath and crouched at her head, resting his elbows on the tub's edge.

 

Her eyes were the hue of new spring growth as she arched a brow and crossed her legs underwater.

 

"You okay?" She said, searching his face for any sign of discontent.

 

He nodded, "Lilly told me why she brought the gun."

 

A satisfied little smile crossed her face, and he wished he could take her to bed as she pushed herself up so she was eye to eye with him.

 

"I thought she would. You're very persuasive when you want to be." She teased, making him chuckle.

 

"Fine. You were right. Happy now?" He laughed and flicked water at her face, making her dissolve into a laugh he hoped never became something he missed.

 

Leaning over once she'd calmed, he gripped her chin and kissed her, trying to ignore the guilt tapping away at his head every time he remembered Steve's messages. She yielded to him with a contented sigh. Her hot wet hand slid up his jaw and into his hair, tugging on it as he breached her mouth. It was never just a kiss with her. It was the promise of realness and the primal desire that lived in everyone, waiting for the right person to ignite it. An ever-bright flame to guide one home when all seemed lost. He hoped he was doing the right thing by her. Ask for forgiveness, not permission or people will walk all over you, his mother used to tell him. Everything he had suffered had led him here, and he refused to believe he hadn't earned the right to hold onto it. 

 

 

 

 

Manon

 

 

 Her head spun as she let Jake help her with her hair. He'd taken one look at her wincing and cursing enough to turn the air around her blue and ordered her to sit down before she broke something. Huffing and grumbling, she'd done as he asked and sat with her back to him as he'd gently brushed her wet hair, and though she'd told him to tie it back in a simple ponytail, he was taking too long for that. Fumbling fingers and extreme concentration were all she could sense from him as he worked. 

 

When he tossed a messy braid over her shoulder, she picked the end up and swore her heart swelled three sizes bigger, fusing her with a lovely and inviting warmth. Her throat closed as she looked at that simple, clumsy braid and understood how closely he'd been watching her, paying attention to what she liked and didn't. It almost knocked the wind from her.

 

Turning her head, she met his gaze, indigo eyes a bit uncertain as he awaited her reaction.

 

"Thank you. You didn't have to." She said,  feeling strangely out of sorts.

 

"No, but I wanted to." He replied, and it took everything she had not to break down and cry.

 

Night had fallen as they'd been in the bathroom. The scarlet sky had given way to purple and granite, and now a luxurious black sky studded with diamonds twinkled outside their window. He'd kissed her like he couldn't stand another moment without doing so. She felt the effects even now, a slickness between her thighs that wouldn't go away but was useless to her now. Her overtaxed mind was sluggish, and distracted after a day of secrets coming to light. She steered her wandering thoughts away from everything she wanted to do with him, and focused on more important things.

 

Earlier, she'd been on Hannah's phone while Dan shot at random items she'd fished out of the trash and had discovered the GPS had been enabled at some point. She could only assume it was Thomas as it hadn't been her. It had been yet another kick in the teeth, but it was done, and they could only deal with it.

 

"I know how they found us last night." She said and saw his eyes darken.

 

"How? I checked your car after my run. I thought maybe they'd used a tracking device, but the car is clean."

 

"Someone, Thomas, turned on the GPS on Hannah's phone. I turned the phone off a while after I took it back, but they must've been watching for it."

 

Jake cursed as his arms wound around her waist and pulled her back against his chest, sighing into the crown of her head as he spat, "He is a complete liability. Fucking, Thomas."

 

"I know. I haven't spoken to him yet, but that can wait until tomorrow. I won't be able to strangle him properly today." She jested to temper the anger in him.

 

He grumbled but agreed to let her handle it. They fell into an easy silence as they both became lost in the labyrinth of clues and incidents they'd managed to gather. It was an endless maze that made very little sense until she saw a piece that might lead them somewhere. She picked up her phone beside Jake's thick thigh and opened her chat with Phil. Jake observed her, and she had nothing to hide as she sent him a message.

 

Manon: Phil, tell me what you know about Michael and Paul Rogers. 

 

Five minutes passed before he replied, but it felt like an eternity for them as they crossed their fingers for something to go their way. Phil's reply made her snort even as her blood sped up in her veins and rushed to her ears.

 

Phil: Hello to you too, Inspector Gadget. I don't know much, but Paul would come in and have a drink some Fridays, and Michael always sat with him.

 

Manon: Did he ever mention Paul to you?

 

Phil: Nope. I never cared enough to ask. They looked friendly. That's all I know. Why?

 

Manon: Are you sure? If you're lying to me, I'll send Camille round to check on you.

 

Jake chuckled as she sent it, and they waited with bated breath as Phil typed.

 

Phil: Calm down, woman. Don't send in the guard dog. I'll think about it, okay? I'm busy right now. I'll call you tomorrow if I think of something. 

 

He went offline, and she sighed, shaking her head as she tossed the phone down. She sent up a silent prayer that Phil would prove to be helpful as Jake's thumbs rubbed against her silk robe, and a tiny dart of hope pierced through the dense mass of trepidation in her stomach. Michael had known Paul in some capacity. How deep that ran, she would find out and exploit it. Somehow, Michael had convinced another man to assist in kidnapping and murder. She didn't think Paul was doing it because he wanted to, everything he'd done so far screamed desperation or coercion, and she just had to find the why. Why, why, why. It was a question that haunted her long after they'd slid into bed and given into the call of sleep as the long day caught up to them. The answer was there. She just had to scrape off years of blood and dirt to reveal it.

 

Notes:

Thank you for reading, I hope it was enjoyable. Thank you for any comments you might leave!

There is a huge possibility from here on out that the chapters will be split into two parts. Lots of moving pieces and things to deal with. I don't think a 20k word chapter would go down well so I'll split them if that happens. So the chapter count may have to rise but I’ll prewarn you if I have to do this.

Have a wonderful day, thank you and I'll see you next time!

Chapter 29: Well, flesh amnesiac, this is your song

Summary:

Friday. Sneaky, silly secrets and hidden selves. Smut and a plan begins to form. Will they break everything, or will they forge something stronger?

Notes:

Thank you for waiting and being so lovely. I apologize for the delay! I struggled very hard with this one. Probably the most challenging chapter yet. I’ll tell you why in the end notes because I don’t want to spoil anything.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it! I didn’t have to split this chapter. We’ll see how the next one goes!

Things are complicated now. It's all coming to a head. Also, it's been a year since I posted the first chapter of this. That is insane. I can't believe it, but thought it would be fitting to post this on the year mark.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

flesh

Oh, the loneliest girl in town was bought for plenty a price

Well, they dress her up in golden crowns

His smile hides a lie

She smiles back

But it's a fact

That her fear will eat her alive

Well, she got the life that she wanted

But now all she does is cry

 

You can't take it back

It's good as gone

Well, flesh amnesiac

This is your song

And I hope what's left will last all summer long

And they said that,

Boys were boys”

But they were wrong

 

Take what you want

Take what you can

Take what you please

Don't give a damn

Ask for forgiveness

Never permission”

 

The Tradition - Halsey

*******

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jake

 

“This isn’t happening. Fuck off.” Manon cursed from the bathroom.

 

Jake froze and whipped his head away from his laptop to the bathroom door as something was flung in the sink, and Manon turned on a tap. She was muttering something as it shut off, and she came out of the bathroom, wiping her hands on a towel as she scowled. His lips twitched, but he bit down on the need to laugh and asked, “Is everything okay?” A thread of nerves in his voice. Manon rolled her eyes up and arched a brow.

 

“Just peachy. It’s black and blue. Do you want to see it?” She demanded and yanked up her loose shirt before he could answer.

 

Flinching back, his gaze crawled over the expanse of blackened skin as it turned violet and blue. It marred half her left side, and he could still feel the panic of seeing her hit. He shook his head and cleared his throat as she dropped the shirt and plopped beside him.

 

“You seem to be moving easier.” He said.

 

She hummed, “Mmm, aspirin, a hot bath, and spite are powerful things.”

 

He laughed, “Just be careful, or you’ll end up worse.”

 

She shot him some side eye, but the gentle curl of her lips softened it.

 

“Yeah, yeah. What’s the plan today?”

 

He considered it. He wanted to call Steve and see if she had messaged him again. Or he could force it out of her now. But one look at the mischievous glint in her eye told him she would not be giving any secrets up today. She wasn’t something he could crack with brute force or clever codes. She was a ticking time bomb. He needed steady hands and strong nerves to defuse before she exploded. Now wasn’t the time. He doubted it ever would be.

 

“Do you want to wait for Phil to call? Or should we ambush him instead?” He asked instead, grinning when she smiled at him.

 

“I knew I loved you for a reason! The second one. I need some excitement, and I just did my hair. You’ll mess it up if we do the other thing I want!”

 

“Later, then.” He winked to make her laugh; the sound was filthy and contagious.

 

“I’ll hold you to that,” She promised as she slipped her feet into her sneakers.

 

He left her as she began rummaging in the safe and pulled out enough weapons to arm everyone in the house twice over. Once safely inside, he leaned over the sink and frowned at his reflection. Dark circles like soot smudges lingered under his eyes despite the fact he was sleeping more than he had in years. The heat of Manon’s body beside him kept the ghosts at bay. Still, she wasn’t asleep during the day, safely tucked into his side. No, she was storming through the world like it owed her money. Sighing, he turned on the tap, cupping his hands under the cool stream and splashing his face, scrubbing away the lingering tiredness before he brushed his teeth.

 

Questions, half-formed arguments, and fear ran through his mind. He wished he knew how Manon could keep it all hidden. She seemed sure of herself in every situation, and he envied it even as it made him furious that she’d gone behind his back. Still, he was doing the same and had to keep it locked away in a folder no one could ever access. Giving himself one last look over, he forced his expression to smooth. He filled his mind with the fire and fight she had running through her veins before he returned to the bedroom just as she was zipping a satchel shut.

 

“You ready?” She asked as she straightened. He didn’t miss her cringe as she shouldered the bag on her good side.

 

“Yeah, give me that before you break something,” He chuckled and held out his hand.

 

She handed him the bag, and his eyes widened as he felt the weight of it and wondered how she’d planned to to carry it with her ribs still sore. They left the room and went downstairs, heading into the kitchen, where everyone was gathered. Manon told Dan, “Okay, Jack Daniels, you proved yourself yesterday. I’m leaving you in charge while we head into town. Call me if you have to use this.”

 

Jake set the bag on the counter, and she opened it, pulling out one of the guns he knew was hers and a box of ammo. Dan was grinning, a bright look in his dark eyes as Manon handed them to him and warned him to be careful. The others watched as if unable to believe what they were seeing. Still, Manon ignored them as she reminded them to stay together. Once they agreed, she returned to him, and they quickly left the house.

 

 

***

 

 

“I said I would call,” Phil frowned as he opened the door to his house and found them waiting for him.

 

“Well, aren’t you just a living jumpscare?” Manon replied, and Jake could only agree.

 

Phil looked haggard and drawn, and his pale skin had a distinct grey tinge and he yawned as he opened the door with an exaggerated flourish and ushered them inside.

 

“How did you know where I live?” Phil demanded once he’d relocked the door.

 

“Not my first rodeo, Philip.” Manon chirped, and Jake stifled a laugh as the barkeep glared at her.

 

“If you want coffee, make it yourself, I’m fucking exhausted,” Phil said as they entered the cramped living room. It wasn’t overly messy, but he clearly hadn’t had time to clean recently. Discarded half-empty mugs, food wrappers, and a multitude of energy drink cans littered the space, and a full ashtray and haze of stale cigarette smoke lingered in the thick air.

 

“We don’t want coffee. Tell us what you know about Paul and Michael. None of us are leaving here until you do.” Manon crooned as she gingerly sat on the two-seater couch, and Jake sat beside her.

 

Phil scrubbed at his stubbled jaw, “He would come in some nights, not very often, but enough that I noticed Michael would leave me to run the bar while he sat and had a beer with him.”

 

“How close did they seem?” Manon asked quietly.

 

Phil blew out a breath and looked to the ceiling before he said, “Not super close. They seemed to know each other from before I arrived here, though. Michael took his car to Rogers Garage too. That’s all I know.”

 

Jake crossed his arms, eyeing Phil’s disheveled appearance as Manon sorted through what he’d told her. She was moving better, but he didn’t miss the slight tightening of her mouth or the crinkles at the corner of her eyes whenever she moved too suddenly.

 

“After Jennifer’s death, do you remember seeing Paul and Michael together after that?” Manon said, and Phil rolled his eyes.

 

“I barely remember what I did last night, Nancy Drew... but I don’t think so. Michael hardly spoke to anyone after that.”

 

Manon was nodding as she rose to her feet and edged toward the door. Jake followed until she turned, her hand on the doorknob as she looked at Phil.

 

“Call us if you need us or think of anything. Be careful and stay away from the Pine Glade Festival tomorrow. Lock your doors, and don’t open them for anything.”

 

Phil smirked, “Aw, you almost sound as if you care about me.”

 

Manon gave a smile that reminded him of snakes in the grass as she pinned Phil with a stare so full of fire he was surprised the bartender didn’t turn to ash.

 

“I admit it’s a pretty recent development. I have no desire to console Jessy if you get yourself killed. Stop acting like this is a game, Phil. And start acting like you give a damn.”

 

Phil’s face hardened and went cold as he rolled his eyes and replied, “Oh, my apologies. I had hoped I’d managed to work my way into your cold heart.”

 

Jake tensed, hands balling into fists, and he stepped toward the asshole, but Manon only grinned, wide and wicked.

 

“If you think I’m cold, ask yourself why you feel that way. What have I done to piss her off enough that she can’t stand me?” She purred, smoke and flame coating every word. She opened the door and walked out, and Jake threw a warning glare at Phil as he shut the door and went after her.

 

He couldn’t believe the nerve of Phil. After all, she’d done to help him; he should know just how much she cared. Cold. She was anything but. She appeared as placid as an ice-covered lake. But beneath that brutally beautiful, frozen surface, she burned so intensely and brightly that she struggled to deal with it. It was that burning that drew him to her. Her public mask was always immaculate, but when he got her alone, she slid it off and allowed him to see fire storm hiding behind it. Every time he looked into her eyes and saw the hell in there, he only loved her more. It called to the darkness in him, just two broken souls fighting to find something they can hold on to. Scarred inside and out, their demons dancing together in a treacherous game of love, trust, and having something worth losing. And still, she gave him peace after a lifetime of war, blood, and betrayal.

 

 

***

 

 

 

They spent some time in town, traversing the busy streets as they grabbed supplies to hunker down in the cabin. His phone buzzed while Manon was in the bank. He went still as he saw Steve’s message and eyed the door to make sure she hadn’t come out. He read it over, heart sinking into his boots.

 

Steve: I’m here. She doesn’t know, you know, keep it that way. We’ll speak soon.

 

Jake: Will do. Thanks, Steve.

 

He’d only just locked his phone and tucked it away as Manon flounced out of the bank, a harried look on her face, and her bag seemed heavier than it had been, but he didn’t question it as he took it from her. He was walking a very fine line. This woman who seemed able to sniff out his every mood and secret like a damn bloodhound on the hunt, how could he even begin to outsmart her? He could only hope that he could as they returned to the car, laden with bags and equally weighty thoughts. She was too lost inside her mind to notice him biting down on the inside of his cheek until he tasted blood to keep everything locked inside.

 

Secrets, lies, and hidden past lives had been all he knew before her. He couldn’t remember how to be the man he used to be while she shone so brightly to bring him out of it. Lock everything down, and change names and locations. None of that would work here. He eyed her as she drove them out of town and into the wild expanse of forest that would lead them home and saw the white knuckle, one-handed grip she held on the steering wheel. No music played, and that terrified him. She never did anything without a soundtrack, yet his heartbeat and fingers drumming against her thigh were all he could hear over the hiss of the car’s wheels over the blacktop.

 

Lies were a survival skill, he knew. Lies built a brain for deception and barred the ability to love fully. Only after he dropped the lies did he create an honest connection and give himself a real chance at happiness. And now he was primed to demolish it all. He needed to see it through an emotionless lens, knew the purpose of her lies and his were to protect each other. A necessary defense. There was no other option if she was determined to sacrifice it all for him. He had to give the same in return, ensuring they made it out of this.

 

To keep her safe, he would tell an infinite number of lies and never flinch, never falter. He believed honesty was the bedrock of real love. It was a principle he despised breaking. She caught him watching her and smiled. For the first time, the sight made him feel sick. This time the smile didn’t reach her eyes, and it made him go cold, ice replacing the blood in his veins as she turned back to the road. She’d made a weapon of herself during her time in hell, and he wondered if the world was ready for her. She was coming whether it was or not. He wouldn’t have her without the darkness that hid under her skin or the madness that made her. She had laughed in the face of his demons, and they had cowered, it was time to repay the favor.

 

They pulled up to the cabin and saw the new black car parked beside theirs. Manon frowned at it and said, “He’s early. I told him next week.” A lie, he knew, but he nodded and played his part.

 

“Why is he here? I thought he had his own case to handle.”

 

Manon didn’t answer until they unloaded the trunk and walked up to the front door.

 

“He finished. He said he could come down. That’s all I know.”

 

“I suppose we’re about to find out,” Jake replied as the door opened, and Manon’s best friend grinned at her.

 

“You never fail to create a mess, do you, M?” Steve called as Manon dropped her bags and accepted his hug.

 

Freezing water doused his insides as he saw how easily she could switch off and lie to him. He’d seen so many sides to her, this was one he hated, and his hands crawled with the need to grab her and shake her, make her see sense. Steve met Jake’s eye while her back was turned and nodded, winking as Manon pulled back and slapped his arm. He tuned out their playful bickering as they dropped everything but Manon’s satchel off in the kitchen, and he left her talking alone with Steve to do some work. He slumped into his chair and turned on his computers, hoping to see Richy’s phone online again. It had come on the other day, moving out of Duskwood and deep into the forest before it shut off again. He hadn’t told Manon yet, he wanted something concrete, but it wasn’t to be. Richy’s phone was off, its last location on the screen as he searched through the maps to narrow down where they had been heading.

 

He was close to bashing his head off the wall as dusk fell. The clatter of feet and doors slamming broke him out of his reverie as he bounced off yet another barrier in his attempt to find something to locate their culprit. Manon’s voice made him jump a second before her hands landed on his shoulders, and he fought not to flinch. Guilt, rancid and thick, stilled his tongue as she smiled at him. It met her eyes this time and soothed him a little.

 

“They’ve all gone out for a while. I’m going to shower downstairs.” She said, waggling her eyebrows suggestively as she pressed a kiss to his mouth and skipped over to their bathroom to gather her things.

 

Smirking, he didn’t say a word as she stuck out her tongue, arms full of towels and products, and left him staring after her. She was going to be the death of him. He hoped their brutal, bloody end would wash off once the smoke cleared. Leaving them clean and new, able to move on hand in hand, and never let go again. He was about to go after her when Steve sent one last message, and he needed a moment to gather himself before he made sure she knew how much he loved her. How much he needed her now, and tattoo it into her skin, and bones so it would never be lost. Love was just a four-letter word, but that never stopped people from giving everything or doing anything to attain and protect it. He would be no different. If he had to shield her from the flames of her own making, he would be grateful for the chance.

 

Steve: 3 am. Once she’s asleep, meet me in the kitchen. 

 

 

 

Manon  

 

 

She had occupied the vast shower on the second floor. Needing to stand under the stream of the multiple jets and let the hot water beat the fear and guilt out of her for a little while. She’d left the door unlocked after hinting to Jake he could join her if he wanted. Everyone was out, thanks to Steve sensing her need to be alone for a time. They’d be safe with him and Dan both armed to the teeth. Oh, how she wished she could tell Jake everything. A sour taste lingered in the back of her mouth from the moment they’d returned, and she had to pretend to be surprised Steve was here. Jake hadn’t questioned her, but he was quiet. Not unusual for him, but she noticed it.

 

Rinsing the conditioner out of her hair, eyes closed, and ears filled with the slosh and spray of water, she didn’t hear the door opening and locking or the muffled rustling of someone shedding their clothes. Only when her safe cocoon of steam and water was disturbed by a rush of cool air did she open her eyes and find Jake stepping toward her. Forcing a smile, she managed to take some comfort that he felt secure and comfortable enough to join her. He was beautiful. Too beautiful for her black heart and raging mind, she knew she would taint him soon.

 

“I thought you’d never come.” She said as he crowded close, reaching around her for her bottle of body wash, and her grin didn’t feel as false as he poured some in his large hand, lathered it up, and began to wash.

 

“I had something to finish. It’s done now.” He murmured, and she watched the water sluice down his honey-tinted skin and wash the suds down the drain.

 

Jake gestured for her to turn around. Frowning, she did as told, shivering as he twisted her sodden hair and tossed it over her shoulder. There was a long pause, the snap of plastic as he opened and closed the bottle of body wash, and then she was purring in delight as he massaged it into her back. Taking great care on her injured side, he worked his way down her back until she sensed him crouching behind her, and he gave an order she followed on instinct at the dominance in his tone.

 

“Lift your leg onto the bench.”

 

The long wooden bench in the shower took up the wall below it, and she planted her hands on the tiles to keep her balance as he grabbed soapy handfuls of her ass. She was biting her lip, failing to stuff down the desire that flared so quickly under his touch, unsure if he wanted anything more than this. He rinsed his hands, her heart accelerating until her pulse flickered in her throat. As his hand slipped between the cleft of her ass and dipped into her folds, already slick and not from the water, she loosed a relieved breath and let go of the leash of her wandering mind. A sharp bite on the plump flesh of her ass, a fingertip ghosting around her clit, and his free hand gripping her thigh was enough to send a lick of nerves straight to her cunt. He hummed as she widened her stance and gave him better access, unashamed to show him exactly what he did to her.

 

“You mentioned a while ago that you had plans for this shower. I thought I’d make them happen.” He teased as a finger slid inside her tight heat, and she gasped in reaction.

 

With another bite, his hand moved within her, and she ground down, giving herself over to it and letting her body do what it wanted.

 

“You always have the best ideas… oh, keep doing that.” She whispered as another finger pushed inside and his thumb pressed on her clit.

 

He chuckled, playing her like a damn violin as he said, “I think I know by now how to make you scream for me, Manon.”

 

By fuck he did. Her knees trembled and weakened as his hand moved in and out, crooked fingers on the way out to make her weep for him. She had already been hot, but a deep warmth moved through her blood and bones as he replaced his thumb with his sinful mouth. A sharp cry, his name broken and piercing as she pleaded with him to have mercy, her hands sliding down the tile as her knees bent to get closer in. A hungry groan vibrated through her folds and clit. If he kept this up, she’d collapse.

 

“Jake, you’re going to kill me.” She said through gritted teeth as his tongue flicked her nub, and his clever fingers pulled another moan from her.

 

“Relax, let me take care of you.” He said, voice gravelly and seductive.

 

Something inside her broke then. So violently she was shocked nobody heard it. This was wrong. She shouldn’t be reveling in him when she planned to betray every promise they’d made to one another. Still, she was like a moth to a flame as he pushed her to the precipice, leaving her hanging there as he relented his lapping of her clit. She bore down on his face in an attempt to send her falling. He stubbornly refused. The mass of pleasure in her stomach swirled and spread through her body, pulsing through her veins as he stroked the tender flesh inside her cunt. She tasted blood on her tongue as she bit down on her lip, too hard to keep from begging. The coppery tang only heightened every little flick of his tongue on that tiny bundle of nerves.

 

A high-pitched keening filled her ears as he focused on her clit again. Dangling one-handed from the cliff’s edge, she breathed through the flaring pulse of her impending release, hoping to keep herself upright as her toes curled and tingles sparkled across her skin. She opened her mouth, ready to disintegrate when he pulled his hand from her cunt, ceased his taunting mouth, and left her snarling, a pitiful whimper breaking free as her orgasm drifted away, shimmering just out of reach like oil on water. Jake gave a midnight chuckle as he rose to his full height and wrapped himself around her, peeling her hands from the tile.

 

“You didn’t think I’d make it that easy.” He growled, tugging on her earlobe before he said, “No, I want you to remember this. I  need  you to remember this. Can you do that for me?”

 

A jagged lump took up residence in her throat, keeping her silent as she nodded, and he slid his hands down her arms to her hands, entwining their fingers so he could guide her hands to her chest. Screwing her eyes shut, she prayed he’d remember her like this, as his, and not what she had to become. His rigid cock glanced off her ass as he used their joined hands to squeeze and fondle her breasts. Her own fingers did the work as he led them. Pinching, rolling, and pulling on her nipples until they were red and hard as cherries, the wetness between her legs was now a torrent as sharp darts of pleasure shot to her empty cunt. Her eyes prickled and blurred as he kissed her neck and marked her for all to see, making her hips jolt as her head flew back and connected with his solid chest.

 

“That’s it, good girl,” he whispered into her neck, making her shudder as he relented his torment of her nipples and pushed their hands down, down, down.

 

Their fingers slipped through the mess of essence dripping from her cunt. Her legs shook as he made her touch herself. Circling and pinching her clip between thumb and forefingers, making her cry out, he hummed, pleased. Never enough to make her come, only sufficient to make her cries turn feral as he denied her again. He was going to ruin her. And maybe she was fucked in the head, but she’d never felt more alive as he moved them away from her clit, and she whimpered, head tossing side to side as she realized what he was doing. Babbling words and pleas slipped free of her clenched teeth as he pushed their index fingers inside her.

 

“Fuck..oh. Jake, it’s too much. Please, please, I can’t take it.”

 

A midnight chuckle, a harsh bite on her shoulder before he said, “Yes, you can. Breathe, sweetheart. Lean into it and breathe for me.”

 

She didn’t know what had come over him, but her body reacted instinctually. Thick humid air filled her lungs as she breathed through how he made her feel and tried not to think about this being their last chance. Her heart shivered in her chest, and her inner walls quivered around their fingers. Two more fingers were added as he used their other hand to tease her clit. A tremor ran through her extremities as her orgasm barrelled toward her, hungry cunt gripping their fingers so tight she feared they’d snap. She opened her mouth to give it a voice, a scream, or a sigh of relief. She never found out as he abruptly moved their hands away and whirled her to face him. She caught sight of a smirk and a flash of darkest sapphire before he kissed her sneering mouth and shoved her up against the side wall.

 

Twitching, empty cunt still fluttering, frazzled mind trying to grasp her sanity, he swept inside her mouth. He soon softened the sharp edge of her frustrated scowl. She clutched at his arms, fingers slippery with water and her essence. She clung to him. Desperately trying to draw his soul from his body and keep it safe with her. He was insistent, needy, and demanding. A muscular thigh slid between her thighs, and she ground down, needing to take the edge off and feel nothing but desire and love for the man she’d give anything for. And wasn’t that the scariest part of it all? What she would do to keep him safe? She was afraid to look too closely at it as he pulled her away from the wall and backed them up to the shower bench.

 

He didn’t break from her mouth as he sat down, she straddled him awkwardly, the hardwood under her knees, not the most comfortable, but she was loathe to let him go. Jake wasn’t stupid, though, and freed her.

 

“Turn around, sit on my cock.” He ordered, and she felt unbalanced as she did so, as if he’d bound her wrists.

 

Fire crackled in her abdomen as she caught sight of him fisting his cock before she’d put her back to him. Lowering herself carefully, feeling the blunt head pressing against her entrance, and held her breath. She deliberately tensed as she took him inside her, needing to feel everything as he split her apart. Gasping, fingers scrabbling on the bench until she gripped the edge with white knuckles, she took him to the hilt and couldn’t move once she had. He smoothed her hair away from her neck, mouthing at all the skin he could reach to soothe her and ease her violent quivering. She felt too full, he was all hot, thick steel, and she couldn’t bring herself to move. Felt like he was branding her from the inside out, and it was an exquisite agony she would never have the words to describe.

 

“Manon. Move. Now.” He commanded, voice like silk over barbed wire.

 

“I can’t… it’s… fuck.” She sobbed as he shifted, and the tiny movement sent a sensation like minuscule exploding stars over her skin.

 

The shower heads pointed away from them. The warm water sprayed their legs and only added to what she was feeling. Too much. Not enough. She thought perhaps she could spend forever like this, and she’d never get tired of it. Jake groaned as she lifted herself an inch and hissed through her teeth, a strangled sound coming from her as she dropped down. He was in too deep, all around and under her. Her wetness slid down her thighs and onto his lap, and crazed noises came from them as he worked her open. She wondered how only he could reduce her to this lusty creature who wanted to feel something other than the bomb inside her head ticking down to their destruction.

 

“If you want to come, you’ll need to move, Manon.”

 

Oh, she wanted nothing else. The craving was bone deep, her thwarted orgasms leaving her likely to combust when he said she could let go. Sucking in a deep breath, she pushed off the bench, madness taking over as she gloried in the rough drag of his cock as she rose, biting on her swollen lips to keep the frenzied howl trapped inside as she dropped back down. It was already rippling within her, flames licking down her nerves and silver light glittering at the edges of her tear-lined eyes. Jake’s hands cupped her breasts, a possessive hold he used to squeeze and massage as she slowly moved over him, thighs burning with the effort.

 

Inner walls clasped around his thick length, release glittering tantalizingly close, but she needed more to set it off. Prying a hand off the bench, she moved it between her thighs, getting all of one swipe over her clit before he growled in her ear and snatched her hand away. Sobbing, ready to get on her knees and beg, she turned to catch his eye as he resumed taunting her chest.

 

“Please. I can’t stand it.”

 

His lovely eyes flashed, a predatory glint in his eyes as he said, “You can. You’re doing so well, patience.”

 

A helpless whimper, full of love and anguish, as he bent forward slightly so she was at an angle. His hands grabbed her hips and effortlessly lifted her up, hips snapping to meet hers as she choked and spluttered. She felt it everywhere, toes curling at the impact as her body went loose and tight all at once, the hollows of her eyelids burning red as she shut them. Neither of them could keep going like this; too much to endure for long, and his breath came faster each time he moved her over him. Silently, he guided her to stand, slipping free of her cunt with a lewd sound that made her press her thighs together as he shoved her against the tile wall, the rubber mats there ensuring they wouldn’t slip as he hoisted her up and her legs locked around his waist. He was inside her without warning, unsure how he’d done it as he thrust viciously and shunted her up the wall.

 

His eyes were smoldering embers as she clung to him like a raft in a merciless ocean, a creeping cold trying to sneak into her marrow despite the heat inside and out. Her mind flew back to their first night here, how he’d fucked her in their bathroom upstairs just like this, and she’d known she’d never get him out of her. He was under her skin, the fire in her veins, seeping from every pore until she wasn’t sure where she ended, and he began. She belonged to him, had never liked the idea of that before him, the power he held over her, a haunting song she’d never forget. It wasn’t only how he made her feel while he fucked her senseless. No, it was how she could be herself in every way, in ways no one else would ever see her. It was addictive and dangerous. Still, he’d brought her back to life, and she would follow him to the ends of the earth if only to see him smile.

 

Digging her fingers into his shoulders, she held on for dear life and gave herself to him. Watching his face through heavy-lidded eyes, she committed him to memory and lied to herself again.  It’s not a goodbye… it’s not a promise either, is it?  He smiled slowly as he felt her cunt clamp down on his hard length, and she gave a warbling moan that bounced off the shower walls too loudly, release dancing so closely she only needed his words to send her over.

 

“Shh, let it happen, Manon. Just like that.”

 

He’d left her reeling and on edge, denying her orgasms so she’d erupt for him when he finally gave her permission. She knew, and yet it still took her like a blow. The skin of her stomach tightened, and her nails bit into his shoulders hard enough to draw blood, smiling dumbly when he cried her name. She ignited so quickly that he seemed shocked by it, glassy-eyed as she arched and tried to keep herself from dissolving under the heat of the water and him. Hiding her face in his shoulder to smother her wanton cries and sinking her teeth into the firm flesh there as he lowered to his knees to brace himself. With a pained sob, she let go of the past and the future, leaving it in the hands of the cruel fates to be here with him now. Her focus turned inward, only the sense of darkest eyes, wet skin under her palms, possessive lips that dragged over her skin and groaned raggedly as she held him deep and rocked.

 

It was too good, so sweet and lush and heartbreaking, as she twitched and fluttered wildly around his cock. Electricity lit up her veins as she rode it out, and he found his own end. The sinful feel of him coming inside her, painting her with his release and letting out a ragged, broken call of her name as she struggled to breathe. Stars wheeled across her vision as she stared blindly over his shoulder, shuddering and mute as tears streamed down her face. She was grateful for the shower then as she cried, hiding it from him as his hands rubbed down her back to calm her and bring her back to him. If she’d pulled back, she would’ve seen his face twisted and eyes leaking. But she never did. Only held him and listened as he murmured softly in her ear.

 

“I love you. All of you. I’ll never let you go. Don’t forget. No matter what. I love you, Manon.”

 

She swallowed past the lump in her throat and crossed her fingers.

 

“Your mine. Where you go, I go. I love you, and I always will.” She whispered. Even when you hate me, I’ll still love you, she said only to herself as the water beat down on them, and neither had the strength to move for a long time.

 



 

 

Steve  

 

 

All his life, he’d known two things to be true. Nothing fucked you harder than time, and if there were trouble, Manon would find it and make it worse. And so he found himself back in this odd little town, ringed by pines so tall they looked like giants stretching to stroke the stars above them. Where people hid their true faces and pretended all was okay, he knew these towns better than himself. He had grown up in one with Manon and her dad, Magnus, the man who’d created the woman he refused to allow to destroy herself again. The last time had taken years to recover from, and he still saw the effects of it when he saw her. Always moving like she was on borrowed time, trading and stealing for more of it or holding it back through sheer force of will. She would find it if there were a way, and he couldn’t stand watching her disintegrate again.

 

Manon was strong, fearless, and intelligent. That had never been her problem. She believed that she deserved nothing more than scars and pain, bulldozing everything good in her life out of fear she wasn’t worthy of anything good. As kids, they’d run wild. With all his power, Magnus had been unable to handle the powder keg that was his daughter until he got her into self-defense classes and showed her how to channel that reckless energy into something productive. If there weren’t a risk involved, Manon would make one and drag Steve along for the ride. He had loved it until it became clear she had a death wish, and now he had to stop it before she reduced her world to rubble and dust. She wore a smile like a loaded gun and knew how to turn pain into power. But she wouldn’t walk away from this if it cost her everything again. 

 

So he found himself in her kitchen, pushing aside longing thoughts of his wife and unborn child, nursing a cold coffee as the clock ticked past 3 am and heard the stairs creak as someone crept down. The man Manon was so desperate to save padded in and sat on the stool beside him. Steve eyed him, taking in his haggard appearance with an analytical mind, and saw the burden he’d placed on the man dragging him down. Jake and Manon were a pair made for each other, and he would make sure they got a soft ending. Even if the penultimate episode looked hopeless, he’d help them have it. Jake sighed. A lifetime of regret was loosed with that sigh, and Steve knew he’d been right to betray Manon.

 

”I have one question before I tell you what she has planned and what we should do about it. Answer honestly, and I’ll help you.” He said, and Jake turned dull eyes on him, nodding slowly.

 

Steve cleared his dry mouth with a swig of coffee before he asked, “Why her? You weren’t willing to give up your freedom until her. I want to know why.” 

 

Jake didn’t hesitate, almost like he’d had it prepared for years and had been waiting for someone to ask. 

 

“Why would I do it for anyone else when she exists? It will always be her.”

 

Steve smiled, satisfied, and replied, “Can you keep this hidden from her? No offense, but you look like shit.” 

 

Jake chuckled, no humor in it, “I have to. It’s her or me. She’s given enough.”

 

”She said the same about you. You are a pair of fools. This won’t end well if she finds out before time.”

 

” I know. I’m ready. I’ve been making preparations since you first messaged me. No matter what happens, she will be safe. Promise me that.” Jake demanded, and Steve couldn’t deny him.

 

” She will be,” He scratched at his jaw and listened for any sounds above them before continuing, “We don’t have much time. You ready to start?” 

 

Jake nodded, a cold burn in his eyes as he said, “Let’s do it.”

 

They talked until the sky lightened. Steve’s stomach lurched and roiled as he explained what Manon wanted to do. Offer herself up in exchange for Hannah and Richy and to keep Jake out of Hanson’s hands. Jake’s face blanched and tensed as he heard her mad plan and shook his head. Poor guy, Steve thought, he had known he was handling something dangerous, but now he knew how deeply that ran. And Jake didn’t shy from it, a small smile gracing his face as he digested everything Steve told him. Steve prayed they’d be able to outfox her and that she’d forgive them once the dust had settled.

 

Manon didn’t believe in any Gods or faith except the one she held in herself. He’d never seen the point in hoping for help from something unseen and had never bothered to pray until now. Now they needed all the help they could get. Manons idea of help from above was a sniper hidden on the roof, ready to take the killing shot. She was always the sniper. It was her most endearing and infuriating quality, and he could still hear Magnus’ plea to him when she’d moved out to start her life with the FBI. 

 

“Make sure she learns how to live. Don’t let her become like me.” 

 

 

Notes:

I hope it was worth the wait, and I am sorry again that I took so long. I got lost in my doubts and almost gave up, but I had a good group of people talk sense into me.

The reason it took so long is that I knew I had to introduce angst without it seeming really whiny or unnatural. I’m unsure if I managed, but I got some fantastic advice from my Duskwood friends. And I am happy with how it came out in the end. I still don’t think I can write angst, but I’m glad I tried.

See you next time! Again, I’ll warn you at the beginning of each chapter if I’ve had to split them up! Thank you.

 

Edited May 18th!
The next chapter will come in two parts. I’ve had to raise the chapter count to account for this and some extra just in case I need to do this again. I had hoped to avoid it, but it was impossible. I’m a wordy bitch and can’t ever shut up, but the length was getting difficult to manage… yeah, make the jokes, lol. I’ll post both chapters as close together as I can! See you soon.

Chapter 30: I must become a lion-hearted girl ready for a fight before I make the final sacrifice

Summary:

Saturday. Part One.
Secrets and Oaths.
Love, pain and fragile hope.

In the off chance you noticed, I accidentally uploaded this earlier today. I meant to save as a draft to do a final edit but hit publish instead. Sorry for any confusion.

Notes:

Part one of two! I'm sorry for the delay. I wanted to make sure I got everything as perfect as I could. I enjoy making things difficult, and this was a hard one! The next one is proving to be even more so, but I'm delighted and more than a little nervous to be getting here at last.

Thank you for being so supportive. Every kudos, hit, and comment is a boost for the writing and keeps me motivated. Thank you.

Please see the end for more notes. I have left a disclaimer there for anyone worried about where the story is going.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

30

 

This is a gift, it comes with a price

Who is the lamb and who is the knife?

Midas is king and he holds me so tight

And turns me to gold in the sunlight

 

I look around, but I cant find you

If only I could see your face

I start rushing towards the skyline

I wish that I could just be brave

 

I must become a lion-hearted girl

Ready for a fight

Before I make the final sacrifice

 

We raise it up, this offering

We raise it up

 

And in the spring I shed my skin

And it blows away with the changing wind

The waters turn from blue to red

As towards the sky I offer it”

 

Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up) – Florence+The Machine

**********

 

 

 

 

 

Manon

 

One side of the bed had long since cooled by the time her first alarm went off at 5 am. Where Jake had gone to and when she didn't know and tried to ignore the relief filtering through her blood as she unlocked Hannah's phone and checked the messages. An Unknown number had contacted her there the day prior, threats and silly questions Manon ignored. He hadn't texted her again, but she sent one message that sealed her fate and waited for the two ticks to tell her he'd seen it before she deleted it. After turning on her burner phone, she sent Chris a message to ensure all was well and smiled grimly as he confirmed it. She stuffed it back in its drawer and blew out a tight breath.

 

Tonight. It would happen tonight. And she had to be ready for it whether she genuinely wanted it or not. The plan was simple. Hannah and Richy, in exchange for her, he'd have the chance to end the biggest wrench in his plans. She didn't intend to walk in and accept her death quietly. No, she would play the part of the delicate damsel only long enough to get close enough to squeeze the life out of Michael Hanson and emerge the victor. End it here and now while she still could. Insane, maybe, effective, always.

 

Guilt had sunk its claws into her, thick and greasy, dragging her down, down, down every time she looked at Jake. But this was all for them, so they could have a life together without ghosts threatening to kill them before they bloomed. Her memories felt like blood-soaked weapons now. Every tantalizing, sensuously beautiful moment she and Jake had shared played like a movie in her head, and each one sliced deeply and twisted relentlessly so she would always be left with a scar. Last night had felt like heaven, and hell all at once, and her rib's slow-burning ache couldn't tarnish the vivid clarity of her memory.

 

Shoving it aside, she slowly stretched her sore body, drawing in deep breaths to steady her raging heart before leaving her bed's safety to start the day. Only after she'd dressed, put on her war paint, and braided her hair did she feel something other than crushing dread. It wasn't happiness or relief. A tiny beam of fragile hope lit up the cloying darkness of her mind as she went downstairs and into the kitchen. The only person up and ready was Lilly. Jake and Steve were nowhere to be found. She was pouring a large coffee as Lilly filled her in on where they were.

 

"Jake went out for a run with Steve. They seemed friendly."

 

Manon nodded, "Steve has a gift of making everyone feel like they're his best friend. Jake needs some of that. I don't think he's ever had anyone he could relate to."

 

"True... he never mentions anyone from his past. Did he have friends before he had to hide?" Lilly asked.

 

Manon only knew he'd had a few fair-weather friends and casual girlfriends before her. He never mentioned missing anyone except his mom.

 

"He did. But I think his life was too busy to settle down in one place with anyone."

 

Lilly smiled as Manon leaned on the counter and cupped her hands around her mug, "Well, hopefully, it'll be different now. You're not going anywhere, and neither am I."

 

Forcing a smile, Manon agreed and focused on downing her coffee, swallowing a few ibuprofen pills she knew would be her lifeline these next few days.

 

"We'll leave in half an hour," Manon said after a long moment of peaceful quiet, leaving Lilly to return to her room.

 

She was pulling out weapons and the big duffel bag she'd topped up yesterday from the safe, unzipping it to sigh at the stacks of neatly bound unmarked banknotes. Her fear had been getting cut off from her accounts or becoming unable to access them. So, she'd withdrawn enough over a few visits to the bank to ensure they'd be okay if that happened. It would serve another purpose now, one that sickened and enraged her, but if it worked, they'd be laughing. Carefully, she tipped the contents out onto the safe floor, grabbed her sharpest knife to slit a hole in the seam to slip something inside before she painstakingly sewed it back together and put the money back inside.

 

Manon had slid the bag under her bed a second before the door opened, and Jake walked in, out of breath and flushed pink, sweaty hair clinging to his forehead as he smiled softly at her. She returned his smile, eyeing him critically to see if he suspected anything. As it was, he only appeared to be happy to see her, and it made her feel wretched despite the quiet joy it brought forth.

 

"Steve is a sadistic man. I can see why you two got so close." He joked as she accepted his gentle kiss, making her laugh in spite of herself.

 

"He is the nice one, actually." She retorted as Jake peeled off his shirt and stepped backward into the bathroom.

 

"That's... terrifying. You'll be leaving soon?"

 

"Yeah, don't know when we'll be back." She said, her heart thudding uselessly against its bone cage.

 

Jake frowned, "I won't be long, wait for me?"

 

Manon silently agreed, not trusting her voice as he smiled and vanished behind the bathroom door. The shower came on soon after, and she was twiddling her thumbs as Jake had the fastest shower of his life and was back in the room before she could settle herself. Her eyes stuck to him like glue as he moved to her, determination clear in his crystal gaze as he held out his hand in silent demand. She reached out and took it, letting him pull her up and into him, enveloping her in a hug so tight and overwhelming she almost broke.

 

"Before you go, I want you to know that I won't run from you no matter what happens or doesn't happen. I won't have you without the madness that makes you or the darkness that matches mine. You will never have to face this alone." He whispered fervently like he was making her an unbreakable oath.

 

Something inside her broke then, so violently she thought he must've heard it as the shattered pieces glistened and gleamed on the floor at their feet. Her mouth opened to confess everything like a ghost had taken control of her body, but Jake kissed her instead. Surely he could taste the regret and confession on her tongue? If he could, he never said, only left her holding the fragments of herself together as he pulled away to kiss the tip of her nose and wished her good luck.

 

"I'll be here if you need me. Just call or text, Manon. I love you. Good luck."

 

"I know, thank you. I love you, too. I'll call when we leave." She said on autopilot, gathering her things and throwing him a genuine smile as she escaped downstairs to find Lilly.

 

It would be a miracle if she made it through this without demolishing herself and all they'd built together. She only hoped the shards left behind would still fit together.

 

 

 

Jake  

 

 

Jake and Steve watched the screens they'd thrown together in Manon's bedroom after she and Lilly had left. Jake was listening in as Manon and Lilly chatted. Manon's answers sounded confident, but he could hear the slight waver in her voice, and he felt guilty for laying it on so thick before she'd left. Trying to tell her he knew without actually saying the words had been a test of endurance, and he wasn't sure she understood yet... or she stubbornly refused to acknowledge it. Either option was possible with her. Steve watched as Richy's phone moved through the forest, away from something they had yet to identify.

 

"It has to be something we're overlooking. You said it was moving similarly the times you noticed it?" Steve groused, running a hand through his sandy hair as Jake nodded.

 

"He only turns it on once he's nearing the forest's edge. I've had a look at the maps, and there are a few places he could be coming from." 

 

A derelict house, some kind of temple or church, or an old ramshackle hunting cabin were their only options when they took into account the direction he was heading in. 

 

Steve groaned, "He's clever. Clearly, he's been making the most of his fake death. What's more likely, do you think? The abandoned house?"

 

Jake considered it, eyes locked on Manon's name on his computer screen, "I want to say the house. More strategic advantages, slightly better condition and easier to get to..."

 

"But it doesn't feel right, does it?" Steve finished for him.

 

"No, none of this does," Jake muttered, hands curling into fists as Lilly's voice cut through the speaker.

 

"Where are you going? We'll be late if we make any stops."

 

A pregnant pause followed before Manon replied, voice cold and hollow.

 

"It doesn't matter. He's getting out soon. I doubt he can tell us anything that we don't already know."

 

Lilly made an indignant noise, firing back, "We don't know that! He could be the key we need to find her."

 

Jake and Steve stared at each other, eyes wide and stomachs sinking as Manon revealed a sliver of the truth.

 

"No, he's not. The key is me, and it always has been. It's not about Hannah or Jennifer anymore, Lilly. It hasn't been since I came to Duskwood."

 

"But, my sister! He still has her, Manon."

 

"I know, Lilly. Plans change. They have to. I can't – I can't lose everything just to save her. I have to give everything to save us all. I'm sorry, I am, but this is how it has to be." 

 

Both men flinched as Manon put on music for the first time and turned it up so high they were shouting and scrambling to turn the volume down. The quiet felt like a loaded gun. Deadly and heavy as it settled between them. Jake was the first to shake it off.

 

"Was she always like this?"

 

Steve cleared his throat and said, "Not always. She's always liked to test the boundary between life and death, doing things for the risk of it. But since everything went down with her dad... It's like she no longer cares if she survives it. She just wants to feel something."

 

Jake shook his head, "No, she told me recently that she's afraid because she cares now. She wants to live. It's why this makes no sense."

 

"Or maybe she isn't even aware she's basically on a suicide mission."

 

"I still think I should just talk to her. She looked reluctant earlier, and I think she wanted to tell me everything." Jake retorted, feeling himself getting heated as rage fought with fear, and he felt like hitting something.

 

"Why didn't she then? If she wanted to, she would've." Steve said.

 

"I didn't give her a chance," Jake replied simply, knowing he was right as Manon's green dot on the screen ceased moving. They waited for it to start traveling again. Still, it remained stationary, and they knew Manon had left her phone in the car to walk the streets of Duskwood with Lilly in tow. Jake smiled a little. He knew Lilly would be giving Manon hell, and maybe she could place enough doubt or guilt in Manon's mind that she would trust in all of them to help her.

 

"I don't know what she's doing. There was no mention of this when she told me her plan," Steve said, thinking out loud more than anything.

 

"I always feel like we're playing poker by the rules, and she's a card shark winning every game because she isn't afraid to play the system." Jake supplied.

 

Steve looked at him approvingly, smirking as he said, "If I didn't know better, I'd say you've known her for years... it's a good thing,"

 

"It sounds cliché, but I forget that I haven't known her that long."

 

Steve only nodded, and they fell into a comfortable silence as they worked together. He liked Steve. Found him effortless to talk to and trust, something he only found easy with Manon. They were two sides to the same coin. Where Manon was ruthless, and fire made flesh, unyielding, Steve was compassionate and mellow. He knew when to bend and when to snap. They'd bonded over a common goal, but if they made it through this intact, maybe it would grow into something more natural and straightforward. He couldn't remember the last time he had a friend he could trust implicitly. It felt... freeing to have one now, and he'd need it in the days to come.

 

 

 

 

Manon  

 

She had left her phone in the car. Lilly's was turned off and buried in her bag as they hurried to the police station. Glancing at a seething Lilly, Manon bit back a smile and willed herself to remain calm for when the ice broke and Lilly let loose. She could be vicious when she wanted to be. Manon hadn't forgotten that cursed video she'd released claiming she and Jake were the kidnappers. She was certain Lilly had spent the drive into town honing her teeth into lethal points after Manon had blasted the music so Jake couldn't hear. Oh, she knew he was listening, she had slipped up before she remembered, and her heart had been a tiny tempest threatening to break free of her body ever since.

 

"Look, I know you're mad. Don't interrupt me. Take off the rage and listen to me." Manon ordered quietly as they walked the few blocks to the police station.

 

Lilly's glower was a sight to behold. Her pretty face twisted as she fought not to lash out. A jerky nod was all Manon received as Lilly's mouth flattened into a thin white line.

 

"Ted is a waste of time. He's in there on trumped-up drug charges. I have a plan. I need you to trust me. Can you do that?"

 

Lilly huffed, "I assume you won't tell me the plan?"

 

Manon replied, "I can't. It's too risky. I promise Hannah will be safe. So will Richy."

 

"Will you be safe?" Lilly asked, shocking Manon.

 

She wasn't sure what to say. Hadn't anticipated Lilly would care beyond her sister's safety. She was oddly touched as Lilly's eyes softened, and her frown faded into a calm but tired expression.

 

"I'll be fine. You don't have to worry about me."

 

"I do, though. I worry about you and Jake. We just found you two. We don't want to lose you."

 

Manon blinked, eyes stinging as she cleared her throat and led Lilly to the station door.

 

"We'll all be okay. I swear it." She said as she opened the door and ushered Lilly inside. The receptionist didn't bother trying to stop her this time as Manon arched a brow and quietly told Lilly to sit in the waiting room. At the same time, she went into Alan Bloomgate's office. He looked completely knackered as Manon locked the door and strode to stand before him. Alan didn't appear surprised to see her and merely gestured for her to take a seat, didn't speak until she had.

 

"To what do I owe the pleasure, Ms. Corvin?"

 

Manon ran her eyes over him. His uniform was crumpled and stained as if he'd slept in it. Dark circles decorated his under eyes, and he hadn't had time to shave recently. He seemed to have aged ten years in the span of a few days. Manon sighed, tilting her head before she made her request.

 

"I need to use your phone. Mine is under surveillance. I understand you might not want to help me, but I urge you to do so anyway. I have a way to end this before anyone else has to die."

 

Alan's eyes widened slightly, eyeing her warily as she kept all emotions off her face.

 

"At this point, do whatever you want. I'm sick of chasing a ghost..." He muttered, tossing his pen down on his desk.

 

Manons heart jumped, remembering his reaction that day he'd visited them at the house, and she'd given him Michaels name eyes narrowing as she growled, "You helped him, didn't you?"

 

"I did. If I'd known what he was planning, I would never have done it. But he wanted to start over and move on, or so he told me. He gave the bar to Phil and told him never to speak of him again."

 

Her stomach was a nest of snakes as it sunk in, fucking Phil. He hadn't known what was going on, but he'd known something more than he'd let on. Remorse was apparent on Alan's face, and she stuffed down the acidic rage climbing up her throat, clenching her fists as she shook her head.

 

"No wonder you can't solve these cases. You're all keeping too many secrets."

 

"Are you any different? I don't think you'd be here if you weren't keeping secrets of your own." Alan countered, and Manon had no rebuttal.

 

She ignored the jab and reached for the phone on Alan's desk, dialing the number she'd had memorized for six years. It rang three times, feeling like an eternity before he answered.

 

"What's your status, Corvin?" Chris said, a smile in his voice.

 

"Everything is in place here." She said, voice steady and strong.

 

"All players are ready. The game is yours."

 

"Good... Thank you." She said, heart twisting as she realized there was no turning back.

 

Chris chuckled, "Tell me that once this is over. Good luck, Corvin."

 

Alan observed her closely as he said, "That sounded serious."

 

"I see your powers of deduction are still sharp, Alan," She deadpanned to make his eye twitch before going on, "Tonight. What's your plan?"

 

Alan folded his hands atop the desk and said, "We will be there. I've called in every officer I have and those in reserve. We will be a visible force."

 

Manon shook her head, "That's not going to work."

 

"Please, enlighten me on what you would do better."

 

Manon smirked, "Plainclothes officers. All of them. Concealed badges and weapons. And please make sure they act natural. They're simply at the fair, enjoying the fun. Only when they're needed will they make themselves known. I can't afford for you to scare off my target."

 

"I had considered that. I'm not a rookie. The point is to keep him from trying anything. We won't be much of a deterrent if we aren't visible." He grumbled.

 

She considered it, agreeing with him for a change, and replied, "Okay, what if you are visible, the Chief has to be seen there. Pick a handful of officers to join you. The others will blend in with the crowds."

 

"That's agreeable to me. Where will you be?" He inquired casually though she saw the gleam of deep curiosity in his eyes.

 

"Where I always am. In the thick of it all," she rose to her feet and headed to the door, turning back, "Thanks. I'll see you soon." She said and swept out of the room. Alan's shocked face haunted her long after she and Lilly left the station.

 

 

***

 

 

Lilly didn't question her as they made a quick stop at the drugstore to stock up one first aid supplies, and other items they were running low on. Manon was glad as she was lost in her tangled thoughts and couldn't have formed any words to fend her off. When they were driving home, she took a detour to cruise by Rogers Garage. The place was barren of all life and gave no sign its owner was in residence. Afterward, they swung by the motel and found the parking lot filled to bursting. No sign of Hanson's macabre mural, but a fresh coat of paint was evident on that wall.

 

"I feel guilty leaving Ms. Walter alone during her busiest time," Lilly muttered, breaking Manon out of thoughts of burning the town to the ground to start anew.

 

"I'm sure she understands. You'll be back soon enough."

 

Lilly hummed low in her throat, "I hope so. I just want life to be normal again."

 

Manon chuckled, "Normal is what you know, Lil. This is my normal."

 

"That's... terrifying and a little sad."

 

"Yeah, hopefully, it won't be forever." She said quietly, crossing her metaphorical fingers.

 

Jake would be wondering what they were doing, yet he hadn't called or messaged her. Not a peep from him. It made her uneasy, but more than that, her self-loathing smothered any attempt to figure out his motives. She'd confused her trail enough, and he would see her every stop and journey through town. It would keep him guessing. Loosing a breath, she started the car and left the motel in her rearview mirror. They were ten minutes from home when Lilly broke the silence. She'd been on her phone while Manon drove and went over everything in her head.

 

"The carriage ride has been altered. It usually goes to the waterfall. They've blocked it off."

 

"Carriage ride?" Manon asked absentmindedly, eyes on the endless stretch of charcoal road.

 

"They tour the forest at night, hang fairy lights, and stuff. Usually, it stops at the waterfall for a while before returning to town. But not this year."

 

"Why would that be?" Manon said, but something was niggling at her. A memory she couldn't grasp hold of as it was no more than a mere wisp of smoke.

 

"I don't know. It's strange, though."

 

Lilly remained quiet again until they unloaded and carried their bags into the house. Thomas was with Cleo in the kitchen, and Manon wondered how much of a detriment he would be tonight. She decided to nip it in the bud before it could grow out of control. Days had been spent agonizing over where her friends would be while she held off Hanson. She had finally decided in the dead of night to bring them along, theorizing that Hanson could send Paul to the cabin to terrorize them while she was in town. It was a risk she couldn't take, and it would be simpler to hide them amongst the tourists and townfolk than in an isolated cabin in the middle of Hansons hunting grounds.

 

"Thomas, can we talk?" She said, more of a demand than a question.

 

Thomas was startled but nodded and followed her out back. The sun split the trees and beat down on her back as she surveyed Thomas. He looked heartsick and forlorn, his closes were a little looser than normal, and his shoulders seemed permanently curved inward. The weight of his burdens was causing him to shrivel and shrink. Soon, there would be nothing left if he didn't get a handle on it.

 

"I need you to promise me that no matter what happens tonight, you will do what I say and won't run headfirst into any traps. We don't know what we're walking into here. I can't afford to save you too."

 

Thomas gulped, looking away to the treeline before he replied.

 

"I am sorry, you know. I never meant to make things harder for you. I just... I feel helpless and useless."

 

"I know, but it has to end now, or you might never see Hannah again."

 

There was a loaded pause as he considered the idea, and horror flashed in his eyes as he said, "I will never put her at risk of harm. I won't do anything you don't tell me to. I promise."

 

Manon thanked him and headed back inside to make something to eat. She wasn't hungry, too wound up, but she needed the strength. Her ribs still hurt; she would be lucky if they didn't slow her down. She wasn't certain she had enough luck left. Jake was waiting for her, smiling so tenderly that her chest glowed with warmth, and she couldn't help but smile back. 

 

He hadn't shied away from any part of her. Not her darkness, selfishness, or madness. He soothed all of her jagged edges and sharp words, it was a gift beyond price, and she could only hope she was giving him the same in return. After all was said and done, they'd have to pick up the pieces, sweep away the ash, and clear the rubble to rebuild. She would pay anything asked of her to ensure they came back stronger than they'd ever been.

 

 

 

Jake  

 

They'd spent time recovering the messages Manon had deleted from Hannah's phone. He'd placed a bug on it when he'd removed the need for a passcode to keep an eye on it and had caught one of her messages before she deleted it. Now they had her entire precarious plan, and Jake felt sick to his stomach. Steve's stony expression had barely shifted since they'd discovered the threats and bargains Manon had made with Hanson. He was proud of her, a little afraid, but he'd never wanted her more. In the face of Hanson's wrath and threats, all she'd replied was;

 

Your death threats are nothing but ghost stories. Be careful, Michael. This ends with your name on a gravestone. Permanently this time.

 

After that, they'd made their insane bargain. Tonight. They only had hours to ensure they were ready. Their plan was simple but effective. Steve had sewn a tracker into the lining of the jacket she usually wore when the weather got cooler and had more of them in reserve in case she didn't wear it. They would know the moment she strayed from them. After that, they'd have to work quickly and make sure they made it on time to save her from herself. Jake was willing to go in her place, would gladly hand himself over, and kept that in his mind. He and Steve agreed that would be plan B if Manon somehow got around them, and they had no other choice. They hadn't long finished setting up everyone's phones so they could listen and talk without being near each other when they heard Manon and Lilly return.

 

"We're as ready as we'll ever be. It'll have to do." Steve murmured, and Jake closed his eyes, sighing heavily as Steve clapped a hand on his shoulder in a reassuring manner.

 

"Let's hope so," Jake said in a bleak tone. He hadn't felt this frightened before. Not even while on the run or being beaten to a pulp. No, this was a primal fear that made every instinct sit up and open its eyes. Every neuron in his brain lit up like the fourth of July as he analyzed every word and action, trying to parse through the false hits to find the truth. She'd left them a labyrinthine trail today, and he was impressed by her ingenuity. But he knew her too well now and could read between the lines. Manon would hate him for a short while, but he had faith in her and himself that they could move on from it. Hope. It was all they had left.

 

Quickly, they shut everything down and went downstairs. He didn't see Manon until he sat at the island, catching sight of her chatting with Thomas outside. She looked stern and assertive as Thomas seemed to wither under her shrewd gaze. He tried to imagine a world or a life without her in it. The first time he'd kissed her, she tasted like heartbreak and war, heaven and hell in the form of a woman. Now she tasted like home and safety, wild and sparkling all at once. He would do anything to keep her by his side. Smiling at her as she entered the kitchen, he was relieved when she returned it, and it reached her eyes this time. It loosened the knot in his chest, squeezing the air from his lungs.

 

"Everything okay?" He asked once she slid into the stool beside him, immediately reaching for his hand and threading their fingers together.

 

"Yeah. Just ready for this to be over. You hungry?"

 

His stomach currently resided somewhere near his feet, but he nodded anyway, "I could eat. Need help?"

 

Manon grinned, eyes twinkling, and he was struck dumb by it. He had an idea then, one he wouldn't have been able to chance it before she'd ended his life on the run. He reached into his jeans pocket and took out his phone, opening the camera app once it was unlocked. Manon gave him a quizzical look, but he didn't explain. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and tugged her into his side, turning his head to kiss her cheek before facing the camera. She was quiet as he told her to smile, and he did the same, snapping a photo he immediately set as his background picture. Manon was rosy-cheeked and wearing a delighted expression.

 

"What was that for?" She said, voice airy and fragile.

 

"I wanted to. I couldn't before. Now I can." He shrugged and watched as silver-lined her eyes.

 

She quickly blinked it away, and he couldn't resist kissing her, taking his time to memorize the feel of her lips and the taste of her tongue. Neither cared if anyone walked in, but when they broke apart, they were alone, and it stayed that way as they made an early dinner. Time trickled through their fingers like fine sand, and it wasn't long before it was almost time to leave. Manon had disappeared upstairs after dinner, and Steve had informed him she'd put something in the boot of her car, a bag of some kind.

 

Neither knew what was inside it, but Jake thought perhaps it was the one she'd taken the day before. He didn't let on that he knew anything when she came inside, and he went upstairs with her. Once inside their room, they began to organize themselves. It was peculiar. Almost like they were preparing for war as Manon dressed in dark clothes that were easy to move in before she armed herself. She only took a gun and a knife, not her usual small armory, and an emptiness opened up in the pit of his stomach, a chasm so deep he couldn't see the bottom of it. He breathed a little easier as she pulled on her jacket with the tracker inside and quickly gathered his things. The only weapons he carried were his mind, fists, and strength. He'd use all of it to end this before it could go to shit. 

 

When they were ready, Manon turned to him, and he could see the internal battle waging behind those sea-glass eyes. There was magic in those eyes and in her, it answered something he hadn't understood before. Life wasn't about winning and playing the game, it was who you ran home to and shared the wins or the strikeouts with. Nothing else mattered if you had no one to share any of it with, and he wasn't about to let her go now. Not when they were so close to leaving all of it behind to start fresh. 

 

She was a little tragedy wrapped up in violence and scars. He watched as she struggled, mouth working as though trying to keep from spilling everything to him. Holding his breath, he waited and smiled softly in encouragement. She hesitated, a huff of breath as her face slowly smoothed, and her hands twitched. Manon clenched her jaw, and disappointment spread through his body as all signs of her inner turmoil vanished. He thought she would turn around and leave, bolt before she cracked, but he should have known that wasn't her. She marched over to him, grasping his jacket to bring him down to her level, and crushed her mouth to his.

 

It wasn't a gentle homecoming. It was a claiming and marking. He clung to her like a lifeline, drinking deeply from her sweet mouth and wishing they had more time so he could make her forget about all of this nonsense. Pulling her flush against him, relishing in her melting into him, he took control of the kiss and made sure she would never forget that he was there for her. Her hands clenched so tight he feared she'd tear his jacket. Each brush of his tongue against hers earned him a delicious whimper he stole for his own. It felt like a long time and no time at all when they surfaced for air, panting and lips swollen. He pressed his forehead to hers and waited for her eyes to open, watching him from behind a fan of dark lashes once she did.

 

"We will make it back here." She said so quietly he almost didn't hear it.

 

"I know. The only way out of this is through it."

 

Manon breathed deeply, inhaling his scent; he realized with a pang of great sorrow.

 

"Let's go then... for the hope of it all." She whispered, eyes bright with unshed tears.

 

Jake smiled, echoing her sentiment, "For the hope of it all. I love you."

 

Notes:

Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know if you did.

The next chapter will be up as soon as possible. It's almost done. I plan to have it up within a week. If there is a delay, forgive me. I know the secrets and plans are worrying. This is not going to be me destroying them for the sake of a twist. That would be stupid and horrible. I hope you stick with it. It will all make sense soon. Jake and Manon's promised happy ending hasn't changed, I promise.

Thank you, and I'll see you next time, lovelies!

Chapter 31: I was born in the blood with the name on my lips

Summary:

Saturday part two!

A night at the fair.

Notes:

Hi! Thank you so much for reading the last chapter. And for your support. It means the world to this little lass!

As promised, part two! I hope you enjoy it. I am so bloody nervous, but I’m excited to be here at last. It’s been a long time since I came up with this and it feels surreal to get here.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy and stick with me. Some things should make sense now but a few others won’t until the next one.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

jsjjsjs

 

 

 

"I'm a gravedigger 

I'm a flamethrower 

I'm a pretty bitch with no makeover

I'm a diamond chain around a violent brain

Tryna' hide the pain before it takes over

It ain't safe

Y'all ain't built for how I'm made

I'm constructed from destruction

You can't build me til' it breaks

 

Hey you

Do you like me now?

Are you in love with somebody I was?

Hey you

Do you see me round, and hate the person that I've become?

 

Hey you

Do you like my style?

I stole it from somebody I killed

Hey you

Do you like my smile?

I got it from the blood that I spilled"

 

Hey You - Nova Rockafeller

*******

 

 

 

 

 

 

Manon

 

The drive into town passed in a slow drip as she mentally prepared herself. Jake was driving. Steve and Lilly were in the backseat chatting quietly while Jake stole glances at her as she forced her emotions away and shut down the part of her that wanted to run from this place and never look back. Her dad's voice was clear in her mind. Don't think. Don't feel, and never let those you love become a weapon that can be used against you. You are the weapon.  It was a mantra as familiar as the man seated beside her. 

 

She could feel her face hardening and settling into a mask of haughty indifference and heard Jake's sharp inhale when she met his eye and knew fire danced in hers. He didn't recoil as she had expected. No, he smirked, that same sinful smirk he wore whenever he was between her thighs or coaxing her out of her clothes. It should have calmed her fear that he would balk and bolt once he saw the real Manon. But all she felt was trepidation that encompassed her entire being and sent a fine tremor through her nerves that she had to beat into submission as he turned back to the road.

 

Lilly had told them the fair was held in an open field large enough for all the attractions and people that visited every year. The last night was a celebration, a joyous occasion filled with laughter and overindulgence. It was a last hurrah before the town emptied again, and the locals could return to their gossip and ignorance of dire matters. Garish signs decorated lawns and businesses, all proclaiming that year's festival as the grandest yet. Manon's pessimism told her they would say the same next year if she stuck around to witness it. 

 

Strings of rainbow-colored lights hung from the streetlights, pointing like an arrow to lead them to the fairground. People on foot choked the sidewalks, and Jake had to slam on the brakes more than once when an overzealous child evaded their parents reaching hands and sprinted across the road. Cars lined either side of the street, and Jake had to slow to a crawl as they neared the field. It took far too long to find two empty spots so they could park beside the others and make a hasty exit if shit hit the fan.

 

Jake stopped the car, and she glanced at him, forcing a small smile to reassure the anxiety swimming in his lovely eyes. Hushed quiet fell over them. Muted chatter and car doors slamming filtered through the closed windows as they waited for Cleo to maneuver into the tight space. She turned to look at Steve. He wore his usual easy grin and winked at her. It settled her somewhat. Jake would be okay, and he would forgive her... he had to. She stubbornly rejected any other outcome and would do whatever it took to make it happen. When Cleo and the others got out of their car, Dan on crutches as he'd refused the wheelchair, they all seemed to take a deep breath before stepping outside.

 

They huddled together behind Manon's car.  In the short time they'd spent together, they'd become a family of sorts. One she had found and constructed with their help. Even Thomas. As much as he riled her and pissed her off, she cared for him and only hoped he saw he was worth more than simply being Hannah's boyfriend one day. She looked all of them in the face, memorizing them and hoping none made her job harder tonight. 

 

Thomas was nervy and twitchy but nodded when she cut him a gimlet eye. Cleo and Jessy were stoic and straight-backed. Jessy's usual bubbly demeanor was nowhere to be found. Only an iron strength shone in her hazel eyes. Lilly stood by Jake, expression full of quiet fire as Jake watched Manon steadily, a soft smile playing on his mouth and soul-deep love in his eyes. Her best friend and Dan looked as if this were any other day, eyes twinkling, and both wore cocky smirks she knew would serve them well tonight. 

 

"Remember what I said. Stick together, and use the crowds to your advantage if anything happens. Bloomgate will be visible. If you can't find me, go to him. Lilly, you stay with the others no matter what you hear, okay?" She clipped, desperate to get this over with and grateful for Lilly not fighting her.

 

After they all agreed, she said, "Good. Let's go."

 

They quickly joined the throngs of people heading into the grounds. It felt like a death march to Manon as she mentally checked she was ready. Dread was heavy in her bones, but she would not allow it to rule her. Dread was simply a chance to adapt and overcome, sealing a victory so they never had to look over their shoulders again. It was always an opportunity whether she wanted it or not. She carried only one weapon, her trusty handgun but knew she wouldn't be able to use it, and it was merely for show so Jake wouldn't think something was wrong. His hand brushed against hers, static tingles shooting up her arm as he threaded their fingers together and gave her three squeezes. He never said if he felt any of her guilt and regret as they walked through the massive floral archway that declared the fair open. They looked like any other couple, enveloped in the sights and sounds of Duskwoods annual show of unity.

 

Music clashed and blared from all around, each attraction playing its own soundtrack and drowning out much of the shouting of those enjoying the ride. It was overwhelming, and pressed in on all sides as they carefully weaved through the slow walkers. Children ran wild, joyfully hollering and begging their parents for cotton candy or to win one of the cheap plush toys at the myriad of carnival games dotted between food vendors and rides. 

 

Mayhem reigned supreme, and it was utterly at odds with the turmoil in her heart. Fresh popcorn and the scent of hot donuts irritated her nose. Grease and sickeningly sweet sugar blended together, making her hollow stomach churn and twist. It was peculiar to her that laughter and singing were the main choruses of this evening when all she heard was screaming and gunshots. She felt blood creeping under her nails and terror in her heart. Tomorrow, this place would be a graveyard of hope and delight. Nothing but ghosts once her world became yet another game of survival. All happiness would be a distant memory, and she wished there was another way as Jake led her over to a game with rows of chained pellet guns and bent down so she could hear him.

 

"We should make a show of enjoying ourselves, or we'll stick out. You look like you're walking into battle."

 

She chuckled, "You know these are rigged? They set the aim off, so you miss."

 

"If you know that, you'll be able to correct it. Go on, win me that stupid stuffed penguin." Jake laughed in her ear, making her shiver despite herself.

 

"20 bucks say she misses," Steve piped up, and she tossed him an unimpressed look as Jake laughed.

 

"Double says she makes it," he called over the music and handed cash to the rugged weather-beaten man with a cigarette hanging from his chapped lips running the booth.

 

"You're both assholes," She grumbled, but secretly she was charmed by it.

 

Four out of five hits meant she would win. She rolled her shoulders and picked up the gun, weighing it in her hands as she brushed her fingers along the chassis down to the butt plate. Jake watched her with a familiar heat in his eyes as she shouldered it, muscle memory taking over as she decided to test how far off the aim was by aiming correctly and pulling the trigger. The shot completely missed the ducks, and she estimated that turning her sight to the left would correct it. 

 

Drawing in a deep breath and releasing it, she eyed the brightly colored ducks and waited for one to pop up. Two shots cracked over the music, the kickback was negligible as they were barely more than toys, and Jake crowed in delight as they clanged off the stupid targets. Steve was chuckling beside her as the targets dropped below the blue plastic waves, her patience too thin as she waited for them to reappear. Once they did, she adjusted the gun and tried for two targets farther down the line, quickly calculating the distance and rigging before she fired her last two shots. Steve groaned as each pellet hit its mark, and she didn't try to hide her smug grin as she set the gun down.

 

The man behind the booth gave her a dirty look as she arched a brow, set the gun down, and demanded the penguin for Jake, who immediately kissed her as he took it from her. He was gone before she could lean into it, and she blinked up at him as he tugged on the end of her braid and slung an arm around her shoulders.

 

"You owe me 40 bucks, Steve," he joked as they moved away, and Manon refocused.

 

Blinding flashing lights and too many people made her feel like she was fighting for every inch as they moved through the grounds. They passed two of Bloomgates officers. Both looked tense and rigid as they met her eye and nodded. She caught sight of their friends lined up to go on one of those awful spinning rides, and they looked happy enough despite the lines of tension around their eyes as she smiled at them. It would leave her scar-riddled body with permanent invisible wounds if anything happened to them, and her every choice of late had been to protect them all, give them a chance at life without the past that had made her what she was. Her heart rate was steady sure, no room left for doubt as Jake and Steve went over to a ring toss game, bickering amicably between themselves as she watched them challenge each other. If all else failed, at least Jake would have a friend once she was gone, and it would have to be enough until she could return. She was thinking of how to slip away when someone tapped her shoulder. Turning to find Alan Bloomgate wearing a grim expression.

 

"Ms. Corvin," He said by way of greeting before going on, "All seems well so far. How're things on your end?"

 

"Everything is going to plan so far... Tell me, what happens on this carriage ride later?"

 

Bloomgates brows rose, "It's merely a tour of the forest and the town's history. Why?"

 

She frowned. Something was nagging at her, "When does it start?"

 

"In an hour or so. It only leaves once all spaces have been filled, and most don't bother until they've wasted their money here."

 

"Okay. Have you sent any officers there?"

 

Alan nodded, "Of course. They are posing as tourists out to enjoy the ride."

 

"Excellent," She said and eyed Jake and Steve, who kept glancing at them, "You remember the legend of the Man Without a Face?"

 

"Vaguely. What does that have to do with it?"

 

"Maybe nothing, maybe everything. Make sure your officers are prepared for the worst." She said and left him gaping after as she rejoined Steve and Jake.

 

Both men gave her a quizzical look that she ignored and laughed at Steve as he carried a giant stuffed panda while Jake had a tiny rabbit in his hand. He handed it to her with a sheepish smile. They wasted more precious time taking turns at the other stalls, indulging in a last meal of funnel cake and fried pickles as they meandered through the fairground. It almost felt like a normal day if it weren't for all the plainclothes officers she kept noticing. 

 

Though they tried their best to blend in, they were far too stiff and observant as they wandered around, eyes scanning every person that passed them. Manon shook her head. Bloomgate really had his work cut out for him if these were the best he had under his command. She doubted they could solve a bike theft, but she had no room to add that to her worries. They ran out of silly games to play, and Manon knew what Steve was thinking before he opened his big mouth, but she was grateful all the same. It would distract Jake long enough for her to make her escape.

 

"Should we have a go on the rides?" Steve suggested, and Manon could think of nothing worse but nodded.

 

"Yeah, nothing seems to be happening yet." She said and followed them over to the Tilt-A-Whirl.

 

Steve took one look at it and her, beaming as he yelled to Jake, "She won't go on that. Hates them."

 

Jake seemed surprised, but she didn't enjoy being flung about at the mercy of rusty screws and old safety rails.

 

"I'll wait here and hold your toys," She teased, grinning when Steve faked an offended gasp.

 

Jake looked incredibly reluctant, and she was terrified he'd say no. It might be her last chance to sneak away from them. Steve saved her, a knowing look in his eyes as he clapped Jake on the shoulder and said, "We can see her from the ride. It'll be fine. I doubt he'll try anything here."

 

Jake sighed, seeming to fight with himself, but eventually, he handed her his prizes along with Steve, and they left her to wait for them. Jake's neck was on a swivel as they waited in line, and she smiled each time, clutching the soft toys like a lifeline as they finally got to the front and paid for their turn. Then they were ushered through the barrier to wait for the current ride to end, and they could no longer see her. Now or never, it was her only chance. She could stay. Call the whole thing off and find another way, but she knew it was futile. Loosing a shaky breath, she set down the toys. She hurried away, double-checking that the messages she had queued to arrive on their phones at midnight were still in place. 

 

She elbowed her way through a gaggle of tourists gathered around a sign declaring a psychic was available to read their fortunes. Idly, she wondered if Lady Lotus was the one behind the gauzy tent curtain. It seemed like an age had passed by the time she got to the car and took the spare key out of her pocket, opened the trunk, and lugged out the duffel bag she'd put in there earlier before she headed to the agreed-upon meeting spot to face the ghost haunting them. She left her phone in the trunk, and guilt chased her every step.

 

Groups of eager people made it hard to remember just what she was about to walk into. Innocent giddiness and carefree smiles were all she saw as she strode away from the jubilation, and it felt ridiculous to her that these strangers got to be happy while she was miserable. Here she was, ready to sacrifice it all to keep them safe, and none of them had a clue. She couldn't control the dirty looks she kept throwing their way whenever they noticed her. Before long, the crowds thinned to a trickle, and she could hear her heartbeat pounding along with her footsteps as she crossed the empty street and found the natural path that led into the forest. It wasn't too far away, and she reached it much too soon. 

 

The small clearing she had scoped out on the map Jake had made for her spread out before her, the stage of her surrender and end of all she knew, and hopefully, the end of Hanson if all went well. She could hear the sounds of the fair even there as she steeled her spine, dropped the bag at her feet, and waited. She was early but knew he was probably already here, making sure she'd come alone, and she made a show of unholstering her gun, emptying the cartridge before tossing the gun away from her. Jake would have noticed her absence by now, and she had no time to wait for Hanson's dramatic entrance.

 

"Come out then. You wanted me. I'm here." She called into the inky darkness.

 

Her senses sharpened and strained as she listened, the flap of bird wings and rustling of leaves making her pulse jump as she yearned to turn around and forget this whole mess. The snap of twigs underfoot ricocheted through the air, and she held her breath as Michael Hanson appeared out of the cloak of the pines. All she saw was red as her nemesis materialized from her nightmares and into waking life. He had forgone his usual attire, that crude mask nowhere to be seen, and she was taken aback as her eyes roamed over him. Gone was the kindly face she'd seen in photos. In its place was a merciless, scarred visage. 

 

He looked much older than his age would suggest. The years of pain and hate had distorted it into a mask of pure loathing and vicious spite. Flinty eyes narrowed on her as his thin mouth turned into a cruel smirk, and she forced herself not to react. He appraised her, dismissing her as a threat instantly. Any other time, it would have been a cause of extreme vexation, and she would endeavor to prove him wrong. Now, it would work to her advantage.  She felt sorry for him. He would have looked better if he truly had been dead all this time and they had dug him up. Triumph was evident in his expression, and she bit down on the need to fire an insult as her blood stilled and restarted, making her feel cold to her marrow as he stopped dead across the clearing from her.

 

It reminded her far too much of her dream the first night she'd arrived in this cursed town. She saw no gun, but he would be an idiot to come unarmed. Then again, he wasn't in his right mind and clearly thought she was nothing more than a gnat he could neutralize effortlessly. She waited for the fear in her chest to take over, she knew it was only there to protect her, but the danger was something she knew. An old friend she flirted with whenever she felt numb. The air was sweet with earth and pine, the sky above a dazzling show of stars, yet there she stood. An angry woman determined to propel herself toward the unmasked cunt across from her, trying to end all she loved and had never dared to ask for. 

 

She should be on her way home with Jake, looking forward to losing herself in his body, nourishing the bond between them so it remained unbreakable. Life was never fair or kind; she had accepted that long ago. Everything came with a cost; she was ready to pay the toll. When Hanson spoke, it sent a chill like a many-legged insect down her spine. Sounding rusty and stagnant, like he only used it to threaten and spread fear as tension built so thick and fast it was suffocating.

 

"I did not think you'd give up quite so easily."

 

She visibly reacted, jerking at the implied insult.

 

"Some things are more important than my pride." She bit out through clenched teeth, and Hanson gave her a mockery of a smile that made her skin crawl,

 

Hanson tilted his head, a predator assessing his prey, "You can follow some directions, it seems, that's good. You should have left while you had the chance."

 

"I've never been very good at doing what I'm told."

 

Ire flashed in his haunted eyes, and she bit back a smirk. It wouldn't do to antagonize him before Hannah and Richy were safe.

 

"Where are they? I followed your orders. I won't come quietly if you haven't followed mine." She said bitterly, clenching her fists as he took a step closer.

 

He chuckled, a slithering, slippery sound that raised the hair on her nape, "Hannah is... waiting to be found."

 

"What the fuck does that mean? What about Richy?" She demanded, forgetting her promise to remain calm.

 

"You remember the tale, Manon. I couldn't let her go without the dramatic ending. She is alive ." He replied, ignoring her other question.

 

She frowned, remembered the legend, and her heart sped up as she understood and spat at him, "That wasn't part of the deal! She was to be released unharmed. As was Richy."

 

"The mechanic will be released once I have you safely locked up. Hannah will live... That's more than my daughter was allowed," Hanson yelled, voice cracking as he fisted his hands and staggered forward. She waited for a hit that never came. He caught himself and gave himself a shake, twitching a little, and she realized she was dealing with a true madman. Insanity had been his dearest friend during his self-imposed exile, and now Duskwood was reaping the rewards of its failure. 

 

Whatever he had done and become in order to carry out his perverted form of justice had warped his mind. His thirst for revenge had fed it, keeping it healthy and strong until he was ready to carry out his diabolic performance. She had known he was crazy, running off of vengeance and spite, but he had destroyed himself and rebuilt wrong. There was no humanity or empathy behind his eyes. Nothing she could reason with, and her entire body felt as if she had been dipped into glacial waters.

 

"How do I know you won't go back on our deal and kill him?" She fumed, holding tight to the fast fraying leash of her predictable temper.

 

"You don't. Just like I don't know if you were true to your word... is that the money?" He gloated.

 

She tore her eyes away to glance at the duffel bag for a split second and prayed he wouldn't check it before they left.

 

"I did. It's all there. 250K in unmarked notes."

 

Hanson nodded. His plan was as nonsensical as everything else he had wanted. The money would ensure he could start a new life once she was dead. It wouldn't last forever, but it would get him far enough away to settle down and begin a new sham of a law-abiding citizen. She knew that even if she failed to kill him, he would never be able to let go of his vile need to mete out his type of justice. No, she'd seen it before and knew he had grown too fond of the pain he was causing. There was no way he could give it up. 

 

Her patience was down to the dregs, and she opened her mouth to demand he hurried up and get this over with when loud crunching footsteps could be heard approaching the clearing. No, fuck, this wasn't happening. She had been careful. They weren't supposed to find her until she wanted them to. She could feel her victory slipping through her fingers as her name was called, and she recognized the frantic distress in Jake's voice. Her heart was in her throat as she shook her head, wordlessly telling her would-be captor that she had no hand in this.

 

Hanson's face twisted and gnarled, teeth baring as he growled, "I told you to leave the guard dogs at home!"

 

"Sorry, they're not fully house-trained yet," She snarled back, hands reaching for a weapon that wasn't there.

 

She was fizzing, hands shaking as she turned, finding Jake and Steve rushing to her, and her mind emptied out. The weight of the situation bore down on her, making her feel like a paper doll in a world of flesh and blood. Her inner fire instantly winked out, and only ashes remained, scattering in the wind as the silence in her soul frosted over. The chill in her blood brought her brain to a standstill, winter replacing summer, and she could not withstand any more failures; she would never feel warm again. Her fault. This was all her fault. 

 

Jake looked determined and fierce, midnight eyes locked on her as she threw him a look that hit him like a blade as he reached her side and flinched. She could barely look at him and turned to her supposed best friend instead to avoid the understanding she saw in Jake's expression. Steve's usual happy demeanor was gone as he took her left side, weapon in hand and refusing to meet her eye. His gun was trained on Hanson as he began to retreat. Both men wrapped a hand around her upper arm as she gnashed her teeth at Steve's betrayal. 

 

Manon turned back to Hanson, who was still backing away, faster now. "This isn't over. I will end you. Count your fucking days."

 

Jake's hand tightened to a bruising hold, but she refused to meet his eye as she stared after Hansons retreating back. Steve lowered the gun. They couldn't kill him before they knew where he was keeping Richy, and that knowledge choked the air from her lungs as she stared uselessly after Hanson. The forest soon swallowed their tormentor, and she wanted to sink to her knees and sob. Everything, all the lies, plots, and traps she had set, was for naught, and part of her died with it. Her lover and friend were panting hard as she met their unapologetic eyes, forcing as much fire into hers as possible before she shook them off, shoving away to pick up her gun and bag. She felt them watching her as she holstered the gun and shouldered the duffel, avoiding their concerned eyes at the tremor running through her as she shunned their attempts to talk.

 

"You'll thank us later, Manon. This is for the best." Steve tried, but she simply walked away, knowing they'd follow her.

 

"He wouldn't have followed through. There was no point in giving him everything he wanted," Jake pleaded.

 

Still, she rejected their words as she stormed out of the forest. They fell silent when it became clear she wasn't listening, too busy pulling herself together and desperately fighting off the failure seeping into her tattered heart, and for once, she had no idea what to do next. She felt lost at sea, adrift in a squall, clinging to herself to stay afloat, but it wasn't sufficient any longer. Part of her knew that she was the one in the wrong, but her pride wouldn't acknowledge it. Run. She wanted to run until she could patch herself up and muster up the courage to try again. One thing made it through to her, Jake's attempt to soothe some of the hurt and reassure her, and she felt sick that she'd forgotten about them. Selfish. She'd always known that was her problem, but it had never pierced her so harshly and permanently. 

 

"The others are with Bloomgate. We told them to stay together, and they'll spend the night at Jessy's. We'll collect them tomorrow. He's sending two officers to keep guard."

 

She gave a single nod, not trusting herself to speak as they left the forest, and she saw her car parked haphazardly, the doors still open. It should have warmed her that they loved her enough to go behind her back to stop her from sacrificing herself. All she felt was numbness, a quietness where trust and contentment used to reside. A pit had opened up in her stomach, its endless depths roiling, and acid climbed up her throat as she got in the driver's side. 

 

The disappointment was building to crippling levels as they joined her, and she started the car. One wrong word and she would erupt. The cruelness she worked so hard to suppress would fire out of her like a storm of bullets aimed right at them, and she knew she could never take it back. Biting on the inside of her cheek until she tasted copper to keep it behind her teeth, she peeled away from the grassy edge and began the long drive home... she doubted it would be home for much longer.

 

They were halfway through town when a fleet of police cars flew by, sirens shrieking, and Manon knew Hannah had been found. A phone started ringing a moment later, and Jake answered it, realizing it was hers when he told Alan his name and who he was to her. Partner. She wondered if he meant it or if he hated her now. The thought curdled along with any hope she'd had of ending this farce tonight. Losing him was something she couldn't take. She had grown used to being alone, pretending it was enough until he'd obliterated every wall she'd thrown up around herself and given her a place to call home. All the ghosts she had kept close hadn't been enough to frighten him away. He was the only person who had seen her at her lowest and loved her anyway. What a legacy it would be if he left her with only his memory to keep her warm. Her despair clashed with her anger, and she did not know how to fix it. Clinging to the scalding heat of her temper was all she had left; it would not last forever.

 

"She's driving. What's going on?"

 

They all waited with bated breaths as Jake listened to Alan and thanked him before the phone fell from his trembling hands, and she met his wide eyes, already knowing what he was going to say.

 

"They found Hannah. They're taking her to the hospital. She's in bad shape, and we've got to stay away until she wakes... it's bad. He said – he said..." He trailed off, and her heart shattered like glass as she filled in the blanks.

 

"Hanson put her on display, like the legend. Now the whole town knows her crimes. Just what he wanted."

 

 

 

 

 

Jake

 

Silence deafened them as Manon drove them home. There was a violence to it that cut through to the bone, and he didn't know how to break it. Her usual chaotic driving was carefully controlled, and she seemed to be taking her time to make them feel even worse. Jake refused to let the guilt sink in. He'd done the right thing... hadn't he? One look at the woman beside him told him no. Her face was a veil of deceiving tranquility. 

 

He could feel the rage simmering in her. He saw it in the tense line of her jaw, the hands gripping the wheel hard enough he worried it would crumble, and she completely avoided his eye. Steve would clear his throat every few minutes as if he was going to break the inches of thick ice encasing them all. Still, Manon would slide her gaze to the rear mirror and silence him with a single arched brow. Steve would sigh and slump back down, a sheepish half smile thrown at Jake, who shoved down his own anger so as not to throw gasoline on a slow-burning fire.

 

The knowledge of his sister's ordeal hovered on the edges of his mind, but he couldn't allow it to sink in yet. Knew if he did, all was lost, and they still had to end this before anyone else had to suffer the same fate. They might be too late now they'd foiled Manon's plan. She was alive, maybe not whole, but his sister was no longer trapped in a hell of her own making. Hanson would be incandescent with rage. Who knew what he would do in retaliation? He pushed it away. First, they had to fix this and find a new way to stop him. 

 

The task was daunting, and things looked bleaker than they ever had as exhaustion weighed him down. By the time they pulled up to the house, he dreaded going inside. He would rather face a hundred men without faces than deal with the looming nuclear explosion hidden under the skin of this woman who held his heart of glass in her hands. Manon parked the car and was out before either could blink. They watched her stride into the house before Steve spoke.

 

"She's going to be very quiet for a while if we can't get through to her. We have to be very careful, or she'll bolt."

 

Jake sighed, "I think we should have just told her."

 

Steve unbuckled his seatbelt and said, "No, she would have doubled down and figured out a way to distract us and keep us away. It's better this way. She's upset she gambled and lost. Once she's over that, making her listen will be easier."

 

Jake didn't quite believe him and still thought Manon had seemed reluctant earlier, he knew she would have listened to him, and now it was too late. Still, he was fucking furious with her and needed to get it through her thick skull that she had tools in all of them. Use them. The two men walked into the house, side by side in a united front, as Manon was carrying the big duffel bag upstairs along with a bottle of wine. They followed her inside and locked the bedroom door. Manon tossed the heavy load on the bed and stared at it with her back to them, hands curled into fists at her sides as she shook slightly. Adrenaline or fear or anger. Maybe all three if he knew her as well as he thought he did. Steve stepped forward as Jake crossed his arms and waited her out.

 

"Manon, if you let us expl-"

 

Manon held up a hand, turning in a slow circle, eyes spitting venom as they locked on Steve.

 

"Explain? You want to explain," she laughed bitterly, eyes rolling before she glared at them both, "Okay, let's hear how you two thought you knew better than the poor little woman. Explain why you thought you needed to rush in like a pair of godsdamned idiots and fuck everything up. I'd love to hear that, so go on."

 

Steve stiffened. Jake had done the same at the mocking note in her tone. She still didn't see it. Couldn't fathom that she had planned her own death and expected them to all happily agree with it. He had thought she knew he'd stick by her no matter what. If she'd come to him with this idea, he would have helped and found a way that kept her safe. Losing her dad in such a horrific manner had marked her. So deeply and thoroughly, she had thought the only way to keep history from repeating itself was to martyr herself and give up her chance at happiness. How to make her see? He felt terribly irrelevant as he came up with nothing. Love hadn't been enough, or maybe it had been too much if the agony he could see written on her face was anything to go by.

 

"We didn't think that, M. If you were in your right fucking mind, you would know that. We only wanted to stop you from making a fool's deal. Do you think he'd stop after you? Once you're dead, he can do whatever he wants. What good would that do?" Steve demanded, voice rising as Manon smirked and picked at her nails.

 

Jake spoke then, unable to stand the sight of her so emotionally and physically unavailable to him.

 

"Manon, you know we love you. We - I couldn't let you do that for me, Hannah, or anyone. I couldn't stand it. I only wanted to stop it."

 

Manon finally met his gaze, and he wished she hadn't. There was nothing of the woman he loved in those feline eyes.

 

"Ah, we come to the real issue. You thought. You couldn't stand it. Well, what about me? Did you stop to think about how badly I need this to be over before I lose my fucking mind? Or do I not matter? That's essentially what you're telling me, and I have to say I never thought you'd think so little of me." She spat, riled and annoyed. She was a fury.

 

"Don't be fucking ridiculous. Now you're just being obtuse." Steve drawled, relaxing his stance as Manon looked like to fight her way through them if she thought she needed to.

 

"Am I? I had a plan! I could have ended this in one fell swoop. But no. You knew better."

 

"Your plan was suicidal! You would have been better strapping a bomb to your chest and letting it... Manon, I didn't do this to hurt you. I did it to save you." Steve pleaded.

 

"Well, congratulations. You did hurt me. You didn't save me. I didn't ask you to save me. I asked you to help me! Now I know I can't trust you. You don't know me as well as you think you do, Steve." She yelled, voice cracking, and Jake wanted to vomit when she turned on him.

 

"You do, though. That's what hurts most. You know me better than anyone."

 

"We stopped you from doing something that would only benefit Hanson. Do you want to die? Is that the problem? I thought we'd moved past this." Steve said as Jake sighed, wishing he'd listened to himself earlier instead of trusting Steve knew her better.

 

Manon cocked a brow and put her back to them. He and Steve shared a confused glance. A zipper slid open, paper rustling as she dug through whatever was in the bag, fabric tearing under her nails before she turned around, hands filled with money, and a small black device that was blinking intermittently with pale white light. She tossed the cash back on the bed and handed the object to a frowning Steve. Steve turned it over, and a shocked laugh fell from his mouth as he began to shake his head, cursing under his breath. Jake took a closer look when Steve held out his palm for his perusal, and his heart sank through the floor. It was another tracking device. Manon took advantage of their silence, filling them in on the actual plan.

 

"I never said that I was going to go quietly. I never said I wanted to die. I said I wanted to end this now. I wanted to be taken so you could follow me there along with the fucking cavalry. Chris is in Colville with his team, waiting for your call. If you check your phones, you'll find everything I had set up there. But you didn't give me a chance. I knew it was still a massive risk for me, but I had no desire to die. I wanted to kill Hanson and live without his shadow haunting me forever. A prison cell isn't good enough for that bastard. The grave is where he should've stayed... I didn't tell you because I knew this would happen. I never thought I had to worry about betrayal. Dad always said it usually came from those you loved. I should have listened."

 

Silence. So thick and loud it was hard to breathe as he and Steve digested her impassioned speech. Manon sighed, shoulders drooping as the breath left her, and she looked so young, tired, and disappointed. He tried to go to her, arms lifting to drag her to him, but she looked away, and his hands fell back to his sides. She slid her phone out of her pocket and put it on speaker after a moment, and the electronic crackling dial tone was the only sound until a man answered.

 

"Manon, you said Stephen would be calling. I take it the plan went awry?"

 

Manon rolled her eyes, "It didn't go awry. It was sabotaged. I won't get into it. Stay where you are for now. I'll call you again tomorrow to tell you what's happening now." She hung up before Chris could answer, and Jake knew then that they'd fucked up. Now they were about to find out.

 

He expected fire and brimstone. A hurricane that would rip the roof off the cabin or a firestorm they'd be unable to shelter from. Yelling, slamming doors, and hairline fractures in the foundations of them. He planted his feet, bracing for it and praying it would be over soon. That's not what he got. Manons fury had turned cold, distant. An island punishing him with brittle, terrifying silence as she shucked off her jacket and shoes, tossed them aside and padded past them, unlocked the door, and disappeared downstairs. It was more unsettling than if she had unloaded on them. Steve looked at him, blowing out a harsh breath.

 

"Well... that didn't go how I expected." He said, and Jake didn't know whether to laugh or punch the man.

 

"Me neither. I expected her to argue, maybe hit something, not this." Jake replied once he'd regained control of his tongue.

 

Steve walked over to Manon's desk and dropped into her chair, rubbing a hand across his eyes before he said, "The Manon I knew wouldn't have said a word. She would have ghosted. She would have run until she ran out of road and breath, and only then would she come back. This is new."

 

"I think we've been working off of wrong assumptions, and that's been our greatest problem from the start. We believed we knew her inside out, which was wrong. You do know her, but you don't know her now. I only know her now, and she's changed a great deal since I met her. Neither of us was equipped to handle her because neither of us had the entire version she is now." Jake said, and Steve looked hurt at first, but then he cringed, nodding and groaning.

 

"Shit. She's... she's gonna kill me for this. You're fine. She loves you. She can't hurt you. I think I'll sleep with one eye open until I leave." Steve joked, making Jake smile a little.

 

"No, you're fine. She loves you too. Just differently."

 

"Yeah, yeah. I'm gonna call Camille in the morning just to be safe. Haven't updated my will in a while, and now seems like a good time to do it." Steve jested, but it didn't land. He was too busy trying to wrangle his thoughts into order.

 

Jake had no reply for him. His mouth filled with saliva as his stomach lurched. He didn't know how to fix this and wished he'd listened to his instincts and confronted her earlier. They'd gambled and won, but at what cost? Hannah was in God knows what state in the hospital. Richy was still at the mercy of a ruthless captor, and Paul Rogers still ran unchecked on the streets of Duskwood. Steve gave him a pitying look that made him want to hit him. But he only agreed they would regroup in the morning once Manon had time to cool off. She was downstairs slamming cabinets and stomping around; he wanted to go to her but knew if he did, she would be on the defensive, and it would only worsen the distance between them.

 

Instead, he prepared for bed as if it were any typical night. Going through the motions of brushing his teeth and undressing, climbing into a cold empty bed that smelled of her and them. Every moment they'd spent together in that bed ran through his mind endlessly. He desperately wished for her to see through her hurt and come to him. He'd take her rage over this cold apathy any day. It was how she protected herself, he knew. She tried so hard to show everyone she was strong and tough, and she hated it when anyone thought of her as weak. And he knew that's what she was thinking now. But he never thought of her that way. His only goal was to make her see she could work with him instead of against or behind him. Faith. It was all he had to settle him as sleep claimed him, and he dearly hoped she'd see to the heart of him and realize he'd give anything to ensure she was safe. Give everything to keep her by his side.

 

 

***

 

 

She hadn't come to bed, and he'd passed out from sheer exhaustion by the time she was in their room. He woke abruptly to the sound of clothes being shed and redressed, the stomp of her boots as she pulled them on, and then the safe door hissed as it opened, and he was immediately alert. Blinking sleep from his dry eyes, he sat bolt upright and stared until his eyes adjusted to the dim light and saw a shadow attaching weapons to herself. She was covered thoroughly in black, with only a glint of her eye visible she turned to him and strapped a dagger to her thigh.

 

"Don't even think about trying to stop me, Jake," she said and approached the foot of the bed before going on, "You have two choices. Go back to sleep and pretend you didn't see me. Or, if you want to prove that we can work together, come with me. Either way, I'm going."

 

"Where are you going at this time?" He said stupidly, brain still lagging as she huffed and looked right through him.

 

"I'll tell you in the car if you're coming." She eventually said and crept out of the room.

 

Jake was moving before he'd even decided, nothing good came of plans made after 2 am, and after they'd foiled her original plan, only the gods knew what this one would wreak. She was holding out a hand, offering him a chance to prove that they could work together, and he was not about to waste it. Once he was dressed, he raced through the house on silent booted feet and locked the door behind him, jogging to Manon's car just as it purred to life. He'd barely closed his door before she sprayed gravel and flew out of the forest to the main road. She didn't speak until he'd belted himself in.

 

"Paul Rogers wasn't there tonight. Family emergency. I called Alan Bloomgate, who is still at the hospital, and his wife had an episode tonight. The nurses were getting ready to kick him out. We need to get to his house before he does."

 

Jake jolted, heart in his mouth, as he said, "You can't be serious, Manon. What do you intend to do? He's just as dangerous."

 

Manon's face remained stoic. A flickering flame in the deepest shadows of her eyes showed she still cared about him, which calmed him enough to listen.

 

"Ask a few questions. Find out why he's involved. I'm sick of playing it safe, Jake. This can't go on forever."

 

"Anything he tells you won't be admissible in court. You know that." Jake tried, but she only laughed, a horrible sound that chilled his blood.

 

"It doesn't have to be evidence, Jake. Sometimes you have to show strength. And sometimes that is terrible. He is Hanson's weakest link. If he breaks, the whole thing falls apart. I only plan to speed up the breaking. You asked me to let you help. This is your chance."

 

This was a test, he knew. To see if he could follow her and not interfere unless she needed it. And it was one he planned to ace as it was all he'd ever wanted when he'd set out to stop her tonight. They still had much to discuss, and he knew their first fight was coming. How long she'd hide from it, he didn't know, but he was masochistically looking forward to it. Knew they could go toe to toe with each other in all aspects and enjoy the carnal healing once it was over. He didn't even notice how fast she was driving, didn't care, knew he was safe with her and she with him. 

 

The tension in her had loosened somewhat. She no longer resembled a marble statue, and some of her humanity had come back. Every glance she threw his way felt more like the woman he loved, not the creature she'd forged herself into. He loved both halves, and she didn't seem to understand that yet, so afraid of showing him her darkness that she'd thought the only way out was to hide from him. No longer. He refused. They were a team, and it was time to act like it.

 

There was a heavy police presence in town. Some officers had dozed off inside their patrol cars as they attempted to keep watch on the inhabitants of the town after Hanson's gruesome show. The legend of the Man Without a Face had sounded like total horseshit when Manon had first brought it to him, but Hanson had followed it faithfully. The butcher's boy in the tale had been bound to a tree, a blood-soaked bag was thrown over his head, and raven feathers littered the ground below his feet. Hannah may have caused her disappearance, but she hadn't deserved to suffer so awfully when it had been an accident.

 

The true end of the tale had yet to play out. How it would finish now, he didn't know and wasn't keen on thinking about it. It left too many unanswered questions and would only drive them as mad as Hanson. Manon was lethally calm beside him as they pulled into the road that led to Rogers Garage. No police were here, and he suspected Manon hadn't informed them to be there. Pride filled his chest. This woman. This conundrum of a woman, a walking contradiction of gentlest silk and hardest steel. He had never admired her more as she tentatively smiled at him and parked the car in a hidden spot between two empty buildings.

 

Manon turned to him before she got out of the car, "We will have to break in. I'm going to ask you to do things you might hate me for. Are you prepared for that?"

 

He saw the uncertainty in her eyes and hated it. Nothing she could ask of him would make him run from her. Not now.

 

"Manon. I told you before. It's you and me. No matter what."

 

She sighed, seeming to shrink as she replied, "Remember that. Please, Jake. Remember that."

 

She made to leave, but he reached out and gripped her chin. Knew his hold was too rough, but she didn't seem to mind as he kissed her. Savage and biting, all the fear, rage, and hurt coming out of them both in a single kiss. Tasting doubt and anger on her tongue as he breached her mouth. The sound of submission she made turned his blood molten, and he wished they had more time so he could prove to her that he'd never walk away from her. 

 

Instead, he drank greedily from her mouth, swallowing her down and replacing her doubts with certainty so potent this would be the last time she ever had to beg him to understand. Bruising her taste into his lips and telling her in the language they were fluent in that she was his and nothing else mattered. When she bit his lip, it was hard enough to draw blood, and he loved it, savoring the taste of it on her tongue before he reluctantly ended it and broke away, panting hard.

 

When she opened her eyes, he searched them intently until he found what he was looking for. Acceptance and love were tattooed so deeply he knew they would be fine in the end despite the battle that was hovering on the horizon. He wished they could go home and erase the memories of the day with naked skin and clutching hands, but it would have to wait. She seemed to realize the same as she sighed, and her eyes fluttered shut, reopening with a fiery resolve as he nodded and followed her out onto the street. There weren't as many lights here, and most of the buildings were either empty or dark, the late hour and long evening out at the fair making sure most would be dead asleep while they committed whatever crimes Manon had in mind. He was grateful for it as they snuck across the road, and Manon led him through the junkyard.

 

She slunk around the behemoth piles of crushed vehicles and spare rusting parts. Nimble on her feet as he tried to do the same. Crushed glass made it tricky, but he kept up with her easily. The place was eerie at night. Shadows and darkness coalesced into insidious shapes that seemed to reach for them, and he almost expected a ghostly hand to rake down his exposed neck as Manon prowled around the side of the Garage. The darkness was even stronger as they crept toward what he could only assume was Paul's house. How Manon could see, he didn't know. Maybe she'd memorized the way on her last visit. He expected her to walk in the front door, but that was too predictable.

 

Instead, she guided him around the side, stopped at the back of the house, and eyed the lock. It was nothing fancy or unusual, just a basic lock. Reaching into her pocket, she slid out a small black box she opened and took out two tools he recognized. A small shocked chuckle slipped free as she winked at him and began to pick the lock. He should've known. The woman was mad. It seemed like an age before he heard the telltale click as the lock disengaged, and Manon opened the door with a flourish. He made to go in first, but she went rigid and shook her head. This was her show; he was her backup if all went wrong. He nodded, and she relaxed again. Trust. She was showing she trusted him and that they hadn't demolished what they'd built together.

 

Once inside, she shut the door and laid a hand on his chest to stop him from moving, listening intently before she whispered, "Okay, we're good. He isn't home yet. We'll wait for him in the living room."

 

"How long before he gets here?"

 

He sensed her shrug before she voiced it, "I'm not sure. Soon. He might not come straight home."

 

"What if he brings Hanson?"

 

She gave a dark laugh, "Then this ends tonight as I planned... I doubt he will. Hanson will be too lost in his failure to bother with Paul tonight."

 

Jake didn't reply or need to, as they padded into the living room, and Manon told him to wait behind the open door that Paul would walk through. She made herself at home in an armchair facing the door, crossing her legs and unholstering her weapon to aim it where Paul would be standing once he came home. Oh, he loved her. And she loved him. The pleasure in his acceptance of her was evident on her beautiful face, and he didn't regret stopping her tonight. Not when it meant he got to witness her like this. She barely moved as they stared at each other. There was no more concealment of who they were. Only wordless affirmation that neither would bolt from the other.

 

Content to just observe her, time ticked down, and the air grew thick with anticipation as thudding footsteps reached their ears. Manon perked up, unfolding her legs in a lupine motion and affecting a bored expression. He wanted to ask what her father had taught her, but no time was left. Jake forced his body to go loose as the metallic sound of a key turning in a lock broke the quiet before the door opened and shut. They listened as he locked it, and the keys were thrown carelessly onto a wooden surface. Paul dragged his feet through the hall and into the room. He overlooked Manon, too busy watching his feet. Jake could see the back of his head by the time the broken man caught sight of the predator awaiting his arrival. 

 

He moved fluidly as Paul startled and made to flee. He stopped behind Richy's father and locked his arm around the man's throat. The other grasped his chin in a brutal hold to let Paul know he would snap his neck if he so much as pointed at Manon. Paul tried to shake him off. An elbow just missing his gut as he bowed out of the way. He tightened his hold on the man and choked the air from him. Snarling in his ear to stop resisting. Jake realized Paul was crying as he eased up on his throat and the man took a great gasping breath.  Manon smiled like a serpent. Finger on the trigger as Paul finally stopped struggling. It was futile. There was no place left to hide. Jake couldn't find it in him to pity the man. Manon tilted her head. A pleased chuckle slipped free as Paul spluttered and shook.

 

"Hello, Paul," she crooned, voice like velvet night, "I think it's time we had a little chat."

 

 

 

Notes:

Thank you for reading! I can't thank you enough for all the reads and support over the past year. When I first started posting this, I never imagined it. Each kudos and comment is a gift beyond price.

I am sorry about that ending. I promised no cliffhangers and always stuck to it. It was unavoidable here. Too much had already happened, and it felt like a mess when I tried to add more. I feel anxious about it and wish there had been another way. But it was this or leave Manon and Jake in a very tenuous place, and I thought that would be worse than this! The next chapter will be up soon. I won’t leave you waiting long. I hope you’ll forgive me.

Also, I posted a collection of Smut One Shots that were outtakes from this story. They can be read alone, but those reading this story will see the differences and things I changed. See you soon!

Chapter 32: I don't need a knight, so baby, take off all your armor

Summary:

Paul speaks. Jake and Manon fight it out... in their special way!

Meaning, the smut scene that never ends, lol. It just... they wanted to fuck, and who am I to stop them?!

Notes:

Thank you for the support on the last chapter! It was much appreciated. I was very nervous about it. I am grateful to you for continuing to read and letting me know you're still here.

Sorry for the delay! I had half of this written since I posted the last chapter, but I didn't know how to end it. I let Manon have the reins for that. Blame her for the madness!

More notes at the end, as usual. I hope you like the chapter!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

32

 

"I'm not Snow White, but I'm lost inside this forest

I'm not Red Riding Hood

But I think the wolves have got me

Don't watch the stilettos

I'm not, not Cinderella

I don't need a knight, so baby, take off all your armor

You be the beast, and I'll be the beauty

Who needs true love as long as you love me truly?

I want it all, but I want you more

Will you wake me up, boy, if I bite your poison apple?

 

Don't lock me in your tower

Show me your magic powers

I'm not afraid to face a little bit of danger

I want the love, the money and the perfect ending

You want the same as I, so stop pretending

I wanna show you how good we could be together

I wanna love you through the night 

We'll be a sweet disaster

 

I don't believe in fairytales

But I believe in you and me

Take me to Wonderland"

 

Wonderland - Natalia Kills

*******

 

 

 

 

Manon

 

Manon observed Jake and Paul with a satisfied smirk. The world seemed to have gone still. Dead and empty air in the house as not even the wind made a sound. The beat of her heart and the thoughts in her mind were all she could hear. Jakes growled warning in Paul's ear had frozen him in place. Tears streaked down his haggard face as he stared at her. The blood in her veins was electric under her skin. Adrenaline sharpened her eyes and senses, and a feeling of complete surety washed over her as Jake held Paul in a choking hold, and the lusty part of her brain was firing on all cylinders at the arresting sight. Uncoiling to her feet, she stepped toward them, noting Jake's grip tightening as she stopped within spitting distance of the broken man. 

 

"If you sit quietly, answer my questions, and don't lie to me, you will get to see the sunrise. If you don't... I'll let you imagine what I'll do to you." She crooned, scenting the sour sweat and a slight tang of an infected wound from Paul. 

 

Paul couldn't speak or really nod, but she took the slight jerk of his head as one anyway and told Jake to let him sit on the chair she had just vacated. Richy's dad stumbled, heavy feet tripping over each other as he fell into the chair and eyed her warily. Jake moved to stand behind the chair, hands braced on the back to grab Paul if he made a move for her. She doubted he would but was impressed by the proud smirk on Jake's face when she thought she'd find disgust there. He kept surprising her, and she hoped he always would as she dragged the coffee table closer to Paul's chair and perched on the edge of it.

 

Propping her elbow on her knee and chin on her fist, she said, "I've met many monsters. Men who hurt their wives and their kids. Men who think the world owes them something and don't give a fuck how anyone else feels. I've met women who would flay the skin from anyone that displeases them. I have never met a man who would assist in his own son's kidnapping. I have never met one who would aid in the murder of a woman and then kidnap another. I don't understand why you would do any of it. I've tried; believe me, I've tried. I'm tired of trying. Now I want to hear it from you. I'm listening."

 

Paul swallowed hard, eyes darting around as his fingers toyed with the frayed cuff of his sleeve. She had never been a patient woman, and she wasn't now. 

 

"We can do this the easy way or the hard way. And with the way I'm feeling tonight, you won't enjoy the hard way. Speak, Paul." She clipped, vision turning red as Paul gasped and scrubbed at his face with a dirty hand. 

 

A clock was ticking in her mind, but she waited as Paul drew in a breath and gave the slightest of nods. Jake's eyes were sparkling each time she met them, not hiding anything from him anymore and knowing somehow that he accepted her. All of her. It was freeing and made her feel like she would float away. Paul's cracked voice brought her back to earth with a crash. 

 

"I didn't want to do it. I was only supposed to scare them. Wear the mask, stand outside their window at night, or send them things to let them know I was watching. Richy was supposed to be safe. He promised me my son would be safe. Then you showed up. And it all went to hell." 

 

She had expected him to break easy but had anticipated a fight first. Still, she couldn't relax yet. 

 

"Ah, so I'm to blame? No, Paul. This started long before I was in the picture. Have you helped him all this time? While everyone else thought him dead, were you aiding him?" 

 

Paul shook his head, "no! I thought he was dead until a month ago. He showed up, claiming he would kill my son if I didn't help him. I didn't know then that Richy was involved. I thought he'd given the keys to Hannah or that she'd stolen them. Michael took him when I told him I wanted out. Used me and threatened my wife to do it. It's the only reason I'm still helping him." 

 

Manon tutted, rolling her eyes, "You just helped him? You didn't think to call the police?" 

 

Paul tried to lean forward and glare at her, but Jake grabbed his shoulder, pulling him back as she smothered a pleased smile. Paul huffed but soon ran out of steam. 

 

"I couldn't, could I? He made sure I knew Richy would be at risk if I tried. I thought he'd stop at stalking them and frightening them. Then he had to attack Jessy... Only Richy and I knew where she'd be, and you, I thought the game was up then." 

 

Manon snarled, fury rising like a tidal wave as he shook his head, "This is not a game, Paul. You've already helped kill one woman and kidnapped two other people. He wants me dead. Where does it end? What does he want?" 

 

"Amy was an accident! We didn't know she'd be allergic to the drugs."

 

"And I'm guessing you got the drugs from your own medicine cabinet? That was stupid." She pointed out, waving her gun carelessly to make him tense.

 

"This whole thing has been stupid. I was friends with Hanson for years. Not close friends, but we had known each other since school. When he found out I helped dispose of the car that killed Jennifer, he came for me. He promised my family would be safe if I helped him. Now it's in ruins." Paul grumbled, and she felt sorry for him, but her anger was too strong to let it sink in. 

 

"None of this makes any damn sense. Most people would have reported him instead of helping him. Threats or not, you had that option. Richy got taken anyway. Why didn't you report him after that?" She demanded, and Paul somehow slumped even lower. 

 

"He had Richy, and I knew he would kill him if I did. He's already hurt him because I didn't kill you." Paul retorted, and she went very still. A tremor ran through her as she imagined Richy's terror and pain. 

 

"Ah, the other night when you shot me?" She questioned, Paul nodded, and she sighed heavily, suddenly exhausted. 

 

"He wanted you dead. Said if I did it, he'd let me and Richy go. I couldn't do it, though. I actually planned to talk to you that night. I wanted to tell you everything. But when I saw you coming out, I chickened out and ran. I only shot at you to give me time to get away." Paul explained in a rush of air.

 

She met Jake's eye, and he looked tired and pained as he kept hold of their tormentor. Though she still resented his decision to interfere in her plans, that fight would come soon. She still loved the bones of him and was fed up with seeing him look anything other than happy. His sister might be saved, but they were far from out of the woods. They needed all the help they could get, and if that meant lowering herself to ask this man for help, she would do it.

 

"What was his plan? Did he always plan to kidnap them and kill them?" 

 

"He never shared the end goal. He wanted them to feel what Jennifer must have felt that night. He claimed he wasn't going to kill anyone. It was enough to scare them and let the town know what they did. But then Amy died, and all sense went out of the window. Now, he's waiting for you. And he'll be fucking furious he's lost Hannah to you." 

 

Manon snorted, "Good. Did Hannah figure out who you were? Is that what she wanted to tell Bloomgate?" 

 

Paul's brows rose, head shaking as he said, "We only knew she'd called the police. Well, Hanson only knew that. I tried to put an end to this. I did. I left a receipt I'd signed from the garage outside her house one night. She saw me watching the house, and I left it there so she could stop this farce. But Michael was faster than the police. He got to her before they could." 

 

Manon and Jake could only listen as Paul poured his secrets out. Richy being taken to force him to comply had utterly broken the man. His wife wasn't fully of this world anymore, and now he'd lost his only son. And he had lost him. Because after all was said and done, Paul would go to jail if the fates were kind. Or Hanson would kill him. Either way, he'd lost everything for a fool's game, and Manon was disgusted by him. He claimed to have wanted to help her, to stop Hanson. And yet all he'd done was fuck things up and make them worse. She could barely listen as he pleaded with her, seeking forgiveness she could not give, and she avoided Jake's gaze as she leaned in close, snarling in Paul's face. 

 

"Here's what's going to happen. You will pretend we never spoke tonight. You will play your part with Hanson. Play it so fucking well he has no reason to doubt the trap we'll set. Then I'll save your son and kill that bastard before he can hurt anyone else. You need to act well, Paul. He can't suspect anything is wrong. Can you do that? Can you pull this off?" 

 

Paul didn't hesitate, "I can. I want him dead more than anything. He's ruined my life. It's not worth living anymore." 

 

Sighing, she rose to her feet and holstered her gun.

 

"Where is he keeping Richy now?" She asked after peeking out the blinds to ensure no one was sneaking up on them. 

 

"He had been at this old house deep in the woods. He was moving him last night after releasing Hannah. I've got to wait on his call before he'll show me where that is." Paul replied, and she grit her teeth, fists clenching as she was thwarted once more. 

 

"Okay, can you access Richy's phone when you get there?"

 

Paul cringed, "Not officially. But I can get to it." 

 

She looked at Jake, a question in her eyes, "If he can turn it on, we'll know where they are and will be able to listen in." Jake confirmed, and some of the tension floated away. She clung to her anger, needing it to keep going as Paul's eyes widened. 

 

"Can you turn it on? We'll know the instant it does. You don't have to do anything except turn it on." She prodded as Paul gulped. 

 

"If he catches me, he'll hurt Richy again." Paul pleaded, but she couldn't let her soft heart stop her from ending this. 

 

"Richy will be hurt either way. A little pain is better than permanent death. Turn that phone on for us and play your part. It'll be over soon." She snapped as the sky outside slowly lightened to a dappled gunmetal grey. They had to go. Hanson could show up at any point. 

 

Paul looked distraught, but he agreed to help them. He was a downtrodden pitiful mess, and it was easy to see how Hanson had sunk his claws in. The man had lost most of his business, his wife's mind had gone, and he and his son argued more than they spoke. He was an easy target for Hanson to mold into an instrument of terror. Now it was up to her to end it and save them all. The heat of her rage still burned as she laid out the terms and conditions for Paul. Ensuring he knew she would flay him alive if he betrayed them. She didn't trust him, but his desperation to save his son told her he would endeavor to prove himself capable. As they left, Manon warned Paul, making his skin pale even further.

 

"If you betray us, you'll wish Hanson had killed you. I know how to draw it out and make it last. Your mind will break before your body does. Do not test me."

 

 

***

 

 

She stopped the car. Sunlight flickered through the trees as it rose above them. The house was still dark, so Steve mustn't have woken yet. Her entire body fizzed as if someone had replaced her blood with static. Skin stretched tight over her weary bones as she stared through the windshield and tried to ignore the buzzing in her head. Pressure and frustration had built up as she'd driven them home. The tangled webs they'd woven now felt unbearable, and she was spitting mad that it had to be this way. If all had gone to plan last night... Jake was watching her, but she couldn't meet his eye. She needed to move. Run or fight. So much energy was trapped inside her body, needing an outlet. But she didn't know how he would take it if she released it on him. Instead, she handed him the keys and mumbled something about going for a walk, not looking at him as she left and didn't breathe until she was surrounded by trees. 

 

Clenching her fists, tension radiated through her arms and into her chest. The thrill of what they'd done to Paul and how beautifully Jake had reacted sent a bolt of heat down her torso, making her feet clumsy as she began the climb to that spot Jake had brought her to. It confused her. Even amidst the smoking ruins of her failure, she still couldn't shake her craving for him. 

 

She wanted to beat something bloody, feel flesh and bone give way to her knuckles. Wanted to yell at the sky and curse the ground for still growing green despite the death all around them. It still wouldn't be enough to calm the tempest in her chest. Anxiety gnawed at her like a dog with a bone, making her feel out of control as she climbed that hill. She couldn't outrun it. It was clinging to her back, poison-coated claws sinking into her and keeping her trapped in a cage of her own making. She should have known he would follow her but her predictable temper reared up as she sensed him closing in. 

 

"Jake, I love you. But I'm mad at you right now. I just need time to think." 

 

A chuckle and a firm hand wrapped around her wrist were his only reply, and she whirled, braid whipping around as she moved so fast. His eyes were molten, raging, and full of familiar heat that she wished would disappear until she got a better handle on her emotions. 

 

"Please," she whispered, hating the whine in her voice, "I don't want to hurt you. Please, let me go." 

 

He shook his head, crowding close as she tried to back away, "Not happening, Manon. Hurt me, scream at me, hit me if you must, but we are talking about this now. I'm not going anywhere until we settle this." 

 

Still, she moved back, startled as her back hit a tree, and she ran out of ground to run. Her heart rattled off her ribs as he pressed in close and felt the heat coming from him through her clothes. His eyes were on her neck, where her pulse flickered wildly under her skin. He knew, he always did know, what she needed, but everything was still up in the air; she couldn't give into it. Straightening her spine, she met his midnight gaze and forced as much ire as she could find into hers. Fighting she could do, he was her equal, after all, and if he still wanted her after tonight, he could take her fury too. 

 

"Fine, have it your way," she said acidly, ignoring the heat in her core as he smiled slowly, knowingly, "Why didn't you trust me? Did you honestly think I wanted to die? That I would give up that easily?" 

 

His response was instant, not carefully thought out and planned, and it hit her harder because of it. 

 

"Because Manon, when I love someone, I fucking love them. Not only when it's easy, fun, or happy. But when it's hard and wrong and absolutely infuriating. I was wrong to go behind your back, I apologize for that, but you did the same thing. You didn't trust me. You hid from me. Do you want to discuss that too?" 

 

A bitter laugh spilled from her, and every nerve sparked alive. Rage and inconvenient desire battled it out inside her.

 

"What you did proves that I was right to hide it. You still managed to fuck it up despite that. I didn't do it to hurt you! I did it to save us and end this insanity before it kills us. Hannah might be safe, but we are in more danger than ever. And I don't know how to fix it. I'm just. I'm - I'm fucking mad at you! I can't switch it off and pretend everything is okay. It isn't. I don't know how to fix that either, and I hate it."

 

He somehow got even closer, filling her senses with Jake. His scent, the feel of his resilient, firm body against her softer one, looming over her and stealing her wits as he didn't back down. 

 

"I understand why you did it. I'm not happy about it, but I understand. I want you to trust me. I want to work with you, Manon. We can stop him together. It's the only way. And be mad at me! I don't give a fuck. I'll still be here when you're done. I am not afraid of you. If that's what you want, you're shit out of luck. I want you more than I ever have."

 

He grabbed her hand, gently prying her clenched fingers apart as he guided her hand to his crotch and let her feel the truth of his words. A pitiful whimper left her, body going loose and tense all at once as he let go of her hand and braced his on the tree on either side of her head. 

 

"You were mine from the day we first spoke. I don't own you or want you to ask my permission. I want to be involved. I want to fight with you. Give me that, and we can work on fixing this together. You have nothing to fix with us. I'm angry and pissed off, but I never stopped loving you. Not for a second." He murmured ardently, sincerity soaking his tone, and she trembled against the tree. 

 

Anger and lust addled her already fucked up mind, and she couldn't let it go, liked the burn too much. 

 

"Do you think I did? All I've thought about for days was the look on your face when you found out what I'd done. The guilt made me sick, and yet you knew the whole time. That's what's making me insane. You could have come to me. But you didn't. I did what I did because I love you. So much that it fucking hurts, I'd cut out my heart and hand it to you if you asked. I couldn't stand to see you hurt. I had a plan. I had a plan... " She trailed off as her voice cracked under the strain of her emotions. 

 

She felt too much. Everything she had walled off and concealed no longer wanted to stay hidden. It swamped her and made her frantic and desperate as Jake's head lowered, and he nosed down her neck, breathing deeply as she somehow managed to keep from touching him. He didn't; his lips brushed a line of sparks up her neck and hovered at her ear. 

 

"You did. It's done now. Now we move on. But we can't do that if you're mad at me and the world. Get it out, Manon. I can take it." He whispered, nipping at her earlobe and giving it a sharp tug that weakened her knees. 

 

She choked on a breath as he shoved his knee between her legs, pinning her so she couldn't escape. She felt like prey, and he was the only one who could make her feel that way. It excited and scared her how intensely he could make her react with his words or body. Playing her like an old favorite song he had memorized and would never forget. 

 

This was madness, but they always played so well together and delighted in seeing how far they could push each other. What their mouths couldn't say could be felt in grasping hands and devouring teeth and tongues, plastering the cracks in their foundations with love and desire. It was a language they both spoke and understood. Her needy body wanted it more than it needed air to breathe. He wanted her to get it out?

 

Grabbing the front of his jacket, she pulled it so his body was flush against hers, and she felt how hard he was.

 

"How do I know you won't do something like this again? I can't add that to my worries, Jake. I need you to promise me that you won't betray me again. That you will listen and not interfere unless I need it. Can you do that?" She sneered even as she arched into his body and rubbed against him. 

 

Jake smirked, eyes at half mast and so black she couldn't see an end to his magic, "I can. Can you listen to me and consider my thoughts before making any decisions? That's how a team works, Manon. You can run the show, but I get a say. Deal?" 

 

His thigh moved, the friction making her eyelids flutter as furious desire flooded her core and turned her slick. The tree cut into her back, and she clung to him as he stared into her eyes and waited for her surrender. She wouldn't make it that easy. 

 

"I'll think about it. I'm not used to working with someone else. I've always worked alone." She only said it to rile him, put him on the level she was on as ire flashed in his eyes, and he shoved her harder into the tree, thrilling her. 

 

"No, that's not how it works. You are not alone. You never will be. Yes or no, Manon."

 

She smiled then, there was a challenge in his voice, and she never backed down from those. Instead of replying, she pushed up and claimed his mouth, pouring as much reckless and aggressive energy into it as possible. She knew he could take it and would give it right back, and she needed to feel this. Needed to replace the failure with an ache between her thighs and bite marks tattooed into her skin. It was the only way to cleanse themselves of the night before. He soon took control, kissing her with force, and it felt like a fight as she was squeezed between him and the tree. It scraped her back and kept her grounded as his beard scratched her mouth and wetness pooled between her thighs. 

 

Tasting old fear, love, and rage on his tongue, she gave herself over to the fire of lust and smoke of the turmoil, still making her feel like she was out of control. She no longer felt the chill in the air or the pressure of more failure as he taunted her with slight shifts of his knee and bruised her lips. Everything in her was designed to provoke him, and she'd known that for a long time, and it never worked more beautifully than when they fucked. They were tactile, touch-hungry people, and it fed into their bodies as she clawed at his shoulders to drag him closer, and he groaned as she arched to slide herself along his thigh. He had to feel how hot she was, how liquid he had made her as his hands gripped her hips mean, and he rocked into her. 

 

They wore too many clothes. Her leggings were tight, and he couldn't get them down fast enough. She was barely cognisant as he finally broke the kiss to curse at her clothes, making her chuckle in black delight as he glared at her. Her hands found the hem of his hoodie, and she pulled it up impatiently, growling when he was slow to help her, and her heart settled as he pulled it over his head along with his shirt so she could see him. Raking her nails down his chest, she panted as he shivered and quickly got her out of her sweater, burning blue eyes locked on her flushed chest covered by the black lace she knew he liked best. His large hands covered her breasts, rough and demanding as he fondled and weighed them in his palms, making her throw her head back and offer them up for his mouth. 

 

He didn't hesitate, and a strangled noise left her as his sinful mouth sucked and pulled on her nipples through the lace, dampening the fabric and making them harden to stiff peaks before he relented. Her hands were at his waistband, trying to get inside and find her prize, but he batted them away.

 

"This isn't about me. Hands to yourself, or I'll stop." He warned, in a voice cut with dark promise that raised the hair on her arms. She didn't want to waste time on foreplay; she needed to feel him and replace her anger with his body. And she knew what to say to make him do it.

 

"You know what I need from you, don't play with me. Make me hurt. I need to feel you." 

 

Like she'd flicked a switch, he pounced, kissing her with so much pent-up aggression that she could barely withstand it. Tearing fabric, biting teeth on her lips, and a sudden rush of cool air against her hot sensitive folds told her he'd given up trying to pull them down and had torn her leggings. His pleased hum at finding her bare beneath them sent another wave of essence down her thighs, and she could only cling to him as his fingers dipped into her wetness and spread it around. It was almost embarrassing how easily he could make her like this. Desperate and needy, unsure if she could survive another second without his cock filling the emptiness in her core. He was always careful to make sure she was ready for him. Preparing her for his entry made him wilder, but she didn't want that now. 

 

Thankfully, he was on the same page as her as he undid his fly, and she stopped the kiss long enough to watch him fist himself and stroke. Mesmerized and unhinged, she whined at the pulse of her cunts hunger and silently begged him to help her satisfy it. She was picked up and pushed against the tree so roughly her teeth rattled, and her ribs reminded her they still weren't healed, but she didn't care. Not as she felt the crown of his cock at her entrance. Scrabbling nails on his shoulders, a snarl on her lips as he filled her in one vicious movement, and she screamed in pain and pleasure. That scream released all the hurt, fury, and frustration before he smothered the noise with his mouth and swallowed her down. 

 

He didn't move, waiting until she calmed a bit and adjusted, feeling her soften and drip around him. "Better?" He muttered once he let her breathe, waiting for her nod before going on, "I needed to see that face you make when I take you." 

 

She whimpered, legs locked around his waist as she tried and failed to make him move. Familiar impatience worked alongside the anger and lust, scratching his back until he winced and gave her one delicious snap of his hips that eddied all her thoughts out of her head. All she had was the primal instinct to be fucked brutally, on the ground, or against that tree; she didn't care. She needed him more than she ever had, and he knew it. 

 

"Jake, please, I can't - I need... Ahh, fuck!" She cried as he chuckled and lifted her up, slamming her back down to meet his thrust, and words quickly failed her. 

 

Jake observed her reactions like he was studying for a test. His eyes were intent and focused solely on her as he fucked the anger out of her. She was so wet, a mess of desire and sex was heavy in her nose as she writhed and reveled in the harsh scrape of the wood on her bare back, the drag of his cock held tight in her cunt sending fire through her insides. Closing her eyes, unable to watch as he claimed her body, she hung on for dear life. The sting of sweat on her abraded back kept her from falling headfirst off the cliff as release fired its warning shot, and Jake laughed darkly as he felt it. It was maddening and amazing how well he knew her and what would make her explode. 

 

"I think I know by now what you need, Manon. Do you have any complaints?" he finally said, a cocky smirk curling his lips as she moaned long and loud. 

 

It was that confidence that always did it for her. So shy and awkward in most situations. But when it came to making her moan, he was sure of himself and knew he was good. It drove her wild. All she could do was nod as she was shunted up the tree, and the lewd sound of their bodies joined together kickstarted the thrum of release. His eyes never left her face, watching her hungrily as she took him again and again, gritting her teeth as she tried to hold back her orgasm. She wanted to make it last, draw it out until she couldn't think for herself, but Jake wouldn't let her.

 

"No, I want you to come for me. I'm not finished yet." He said, intent on destroying and remaking her as she sobbed with the next plunge of his cock that she felt in her curled toes. 

 

Usually, she needed to touch herself to come, but she was primed and ready before he invaded her body. So riled, all she needed was his whispered praise and thick length pounding her hard. It was violent and much too fast. Rippling out of her center in delectable waves, wetness seeping from her as he kept driving into her and seemed to grow impossibly harder as her cunt clenched around his cock. He cursed her name, hips slowing as she shook in his arms and tried to hold on to her sanity. She wasn't nearly satisfied, blood still up and fizzing as she opened her eyes to find him watching her. His eyes were glowing embers as she stared at him through her lashes. 

 

 It felt like she blinked, and the world flipped the wrong way. She was on her back. Broken branches and stones cut into her skin as he arranged her legs and slid back inside her still-fluttering cunt. Bracing himself one-handed, muscles flexing as he wrapped the other around her throat and pressed down in time with his movements inside her. He would never hurt her, only wanted to wring as much pleasure from her as he could, and she trusted him completely. Her vision turned spotty as her air was cut off and released repeatedly, turning her on to uncharted levels as he picked up his pace and drove her into the ground. She was clutching at his neck and the grass. Sobbing incoherently as he refused to let her look away from him. Every time she closed her eyes, the hand at her throat shook her, and she knew he wanted to see what he was doing to her. Needed to witness with his own eyes that she was his. She gave him what he wanted, delighting in the feral snarl she received when she tightened her inner muscles on his next thrust and dragged a groan from him. 

 

Struggling, feeling her body building to another orgasm, she couldn't control herself. "It's too much... oh Gods... I can't take it." She babbled as the pulsing under her skin consumed the last of her rational thoughts. Each move he made caught her clit and made it impossible to calm herself down. 

 

"Shh, just a little bit more. I know you can take it. You're doing so well," he murmured, stoking the flames of desire to an intolerable degree.

 

He let go of her neck, body covering hers as her legs trembled around his waist, heels digging into the small of his back to urge him on. The pain she always looked for came in the form of his biting mouth and the sting of her split flesh as he fucked her savagely. The weight of him as he held her down and forced her to take his cock was exquisite. The anger still hovered at the edges of her sinful thoughts, but it wasn't directed at him anymore. In this position, they fit so closely and perfectly that she didn't need him to touch her clit. The rough lunge of his hips and his mouth on her skin had her clinging to the precipice as the pressure inside her demanded an outlet. 

 

Distress and heat clouded her mind; it built so thick and fast she couldn't breathe or see past it. When he met her eye and saw the animalistic need in them, he reacted as if she'd shocked him. Sweet torture. That's what this was. Utterly mindless and lost in the feel of him as his teeth snapped at her neck, a ragged noise slipping over her skin as he felt how beautiful they were together. Her wetness was a deluge, drenching them as he tried to fuck any doubts she had away. 

 

"Promise me," he growled as he fucked her, each word punctuated by another savage snap of his hips, "promise me you won't hide from me. Promise me you will work with me. Promise me..." his eyes softened as she struggled to hold back tears and clawed at his back, overwhelmed by everything he was doing, "promise me you're mine, Manon. That's all I need, and we can forget last night." 

 

He slowed but didn't pause his movements. The skin on her stomach tightened as he circled his hips and pushed in so deep she could barely speak the words she needed him to hear. 

 

"I promise. You know I would give you anything you asked, Jake. I only want you." 

 

He smiled; his eyes were lined with silver as he bent to taste her promise. Pulling back, his sweet breath ghosted over her face, lazy movements within her body as he said, "I would never ask for anything but you. I just needed to hear you say it." 

 

She understood him. Hearing his voice filled with yearning and lust, fucking her and promising he'd love her through anything, was better than any aphrodisiac she had ever tried. He knew how to set her ablaze. How to ignite her and keep the flames healthy and strong. She doubted there would be a time when her body didn't crave him. If there ever was, she hoped death would come for her soon after. He was all up in her mind, heart, body, and soul. And she'd never felt more alive as he slammed into her, punishing her with sharp and deep darts of his cock. The low drawl of sinful words sparkled through her blood and pooled between her split thighs.

 

"You're so fucking beautiful, Manon. This is all for you, only you. You deserve to be loved. And to be fucked until you can't stand up. I'll convince you of that one day, but I want to hear you scream and see that face you make when I overwhelm you." 

 

Oh, fucking hell, she was sobbing; anguished whines escaped through her clenched teeth and made him grin wickedly as she took each merciless thrust. That voice, she hoped, would be the last thing she heard before she left the mortal realm, and she knew she would search for it in whatever afterlife awaited her. On the forest floor, twigs and leaves sticking to her skin and hair, she found religion in the lips of this man who had only ever tried to love her. She had no faith before him, only that she held in herself. Now she felt as if she could conquer the world with him by her side. The words she rarely said flew from her mouth and into his ears. 

 

"I'm sorry. I am so sorry I hurt you. I never meant to." 

 

Jake shushed her, soothing her with a sweet kiss that released the tears, blurring her vision. Salt and sex, pine and earth, Jake and her, she was drenched in it all. 

 

"I know, sweetheart, I know. I'm sorry too." 

 

Clutching his back, nails cutting into his skin as the rush of blood in her ears turned to a roar, she felt his every move like an earthquake shifting and changing her very bones. She winced as a particularly sharp stone bit into her back, and Jake noticed her discomfort, immediately rectifying it. Moving so fast she couldn't track him, he pulled out of her weeping cunt and flipped her on her front. He grabbed her braid and pulled it until she keened and rose up on her knees.

 

 Following his silent instructions, she moved backward until she straddled his thighs, her ruined back sticking to his chest as she sank down on his cock, and he clapped a hand around her mouth when she wailed. Breathless, both panting, she rode him clumsily. He was in so deep it took all her concentration to keep moving. His free hand plucked and twisted her nipples, sending darts of pain through her body as her essence dripped onto his lap. She bit into the fleshy part of his palm as his hand traveled south, tickling down her navel as she fucked him. Her breathing quickened, eyes locked on the sky as his hand fell between her thighs. 

 

A midnight chuckle as he felt where they were joined. She looked down at herself, cunt glistening, folds splayed open and pink like petals of a flower as he began a slow, torturous circling of her clit. He was meeting her every slide down with a rock of his hips, urging her on with a voice soaked in black delight and taunting her with flicks of his thumb on her clit. She was holding it back, visualizing boring things to keep her orgasm from swallowing her whole, but it wasn't enough. He was too good at undoing her. Everything burned; her muscles, ribs, and core were all inflamed, and it wouldn't take much for him to make her shatter. 

 

"I want to feel you, Manon. I know you can be a good girl and come with me."

 

She heard the restraint in his voice, the hunger as he held back for her, and she wanted to give him everything. His fingers focused on her clit, relentless as they rubbed that bundle of nerves, and she was making enough noise to wake the dead, piercing cries that made him smile into her skin. His whispered, "That's it, take what you need, it's all for you," was a mantra in her soul as the first flutters of release gripped her. He groaned as he felt it, the liquid rush of heat as her inner walls tightened, and she lost all sense of rhythm. She felt him throb inside her, knew he had been holding back for a while, and that selflessness ripped the air from her lungs.

 

Head thrown back, eyes finding his as he watched her intently, she stopped fighting it and let it explode. His pained curse broke through the haze as his clever fingers and cock sent her flying; she knew he would catch her before she hit the ground. He had to take over as she convulsed and wailed like a demon-possessed. Pleasure so fast and powerful surged through her small form, sweat trickling down her neck as she was pushed onto her knees and dug her fingers into the earth to hold on as he filled her from behind. Drawing out her orgasm until the weight of her past finally lifted, and she only knew him. He didn't last long, not with her inner walls gripping him like a vice and flickering around his cock.

 

His shout of triumph made her smile as she thrashed under him, taking his punishing thrusts and moaning uncontrollably at every warm wave of her release. Her thighs were sticky and trembling, the noises coming from her more at home in a brothel than the forest, but she didn't care as he slammed home one last time. She had the presence of mind to tense herself, holding him captive as he fell over her. Twitching, babbling, and writhing, she was no longer human, and she gloried in it. The loss of all that had haunted her these days was a gift she hadn't expected when they had given into their body's demands. It drew out her pleasure for an age. Jake's calming kisses on her neck and cock softening inside her only made her want him again. 

 

He was still touching her. Ignoring their uncomfortable position, his fingers danced over her sensitive flesh, and he proudly murmured about the mess she was in. Her body felt alive and awake, a live wire under his touch. Jumping as his thumb grazed her clit, swollen and far too sensitive, he laughed and nuzzled her neck. She didn't know what he was planning and didn't care if he kept doing what he was doing. Her hips bucked, giving a strangled cry as he teased her. Something about where they were and the fact he was still inside her kept her fired up and balanced on that sharp edge of impending release. It was madness. Totally ridiculous that he barely had to touch her to make her come. He knew it as he lightly tapped his fingers over her clit and kept talking to her over her unhinged moaning. 

 

"I wish I could fuck you again. I want you to come for me one last time before we have to face reality. Say my name this time." 

 

Desire and love, him and her, it was all she needed to be happy. She had known it for a while but lying on the ground, feeling him inside and all around her as the sun finally shone above the pines, she finally understood it. He leaned over to claim her mouth as his fingers worked magic between her thighs, and she gave him the last of her breath as she fell into release feet first. Gentle and lovely, it washed away the hurt and the anger. Leaving them shiny and new once more. He drained her to the dregs, fingers only ceasing as she broke the kiss and breathed his name like a prayer. And for a long while, all they did was stare at each other. 

 

No more masks. Nothing to hide. Soul to soul and blood to blood, they were each other's lifeline and home. It was silly to do anything that would harm it, and she silently swore she never would again. She didn't say the words but knew he understood as his sapphire eyes sparkled and glowed, accepting her silent promise and making one of his own in return. Whatever came next, they'd face it together, and victory would be all the sweeter. It felt like a short and long time before they gathered themselves and began walking home. Jake tied his hoodie around her waist as there was no fixing her leggings and took her hand as they trudged downhill. 

 

Hand in hand, battle weary and bruised, they returned home looking like they'd been at war. And in a way, they had been, the war for them, and now they were burned but better for it. Before they opened the front door and stepped inside, she vowed she would always be his no matter what happened next. They'd survived this fight and would have many more, but she knew he'd look for her hand through it all, and she would do the same. And so they made their way through their home and into their bedroom. War was never fair, but she felt they had won today. Time would tell how many battles remained before they got their peace.

Notes:

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed it. If you leave a comment, thank you! You make my day.

As you can probably tell, I had to split this up! The smut scene alone was over 5k words. The rest will be published by Monday night! It's mostly written, with just a few tweaks and things to do. The next chapter is mostly Jake's POV!

Also, if you haven't noticed and are interested, I started a Duskwood one-shot series that is just porn. It is a dark, twisted Richy and an even darker female MC! My take on, "What if Richy was evil and MC was too?" There is very little plot, and the first one starts at the very end of the game. An alternate ending. Then after that, it's just their dark and bloodstained romance while on the run, stealing, fighting, and fucking! It was so much fun to write, and I have a fourth cooking away in my brain.

Chapter 33: Red Light Spells Danger

Summary:

Sunday. A visit to the hospital, some drama in the middle, and then the end. Yep. That's the summary!

Notes:

Thank you for everything.

I am sorry this is later than I originally said. It was a right bitch to end despite me having it written for over 8 months in my drafts.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text



 

333333333

 

 

"Red light spells danger

Can't hold out much longer

'Cause red light means warning

Can't hold out

I'm burning

 

You took my heart and turned me on

And now the danger sign is on

Never thought the day would come

When I would feel alone without you

And now I'm like a child again 

Calling out his mamas name

You got me on a ball and chain

Doing things that I don't wanna 

 

I can't stop running to you

I feel love coming through you

And, girl, with you beside me

Hold on, heaven guide me

 

Oh, it's a red light, baby

It's a danger warning

Can't hold out, and I can't hold out

I'm burning

No, no, no!"

 

Red Light Spells Danger - Billy Ocean

**********

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jake

 

 Two hours. That was all the sleep they'd managed to snatch after returning from the forest. Jake's body ached, bones creaking as he showered off the dirt, sweat, and sex. He still couldn't find it within him to regret sabotaging her plan. Wished he'd known the whole story before going all in, but he didn't regret it. It led her to allow him inside her world, that was all he'd wanted, and he knew she didn't want his remorse, only his trust. He never wanted her to think she had to ask for his permission, but to make their relationship work they had to give and take. They had to consult each other before making any life-altering decisions. She had seemed lighter, freer as he'd kissed her before jumping in the shower. He had encouraged her to go back to sleep but doubted she'd listen.

 

Watching as leaves and shards of forest debris circled the drain, he smiled softly. An odd sensation unfurled in his chest, and it took a moment for him to recognize what it was. Contentment. He was entirely at ease with who he was and who he was in love with. He'd often thought he had lost touch with reality, become one with his computers, and lost all sense of human connection or emotion. But there, with her in the next room, he knew he'd never truly lost it. It had just been languishing in the back of his black and grey-coded mind until he was brave enough to open it. He was utterly lost in thought as water sluiced down his sore muscles and almost rattled his skull off the shower head as Manon burst into the room.

 

"Jake, hurry. They've given us clearance to visit Hannah." She said in an urgent tone, and his heart reacted as if she'd shocked him.

 

Racing ahead of his thoughts at a gallop, his pulse jumped in his throat, and he blinked stupidly as Manon joined him in the shower and hurriedly scrubbed herself down. His silence must have spoken volumes, for she didn't try to force him to voice any of the thoughts he knew were running across his face. Usually, when she joined him in there, they spent more time seeing how loud they could make the other moan, but this time he felt cold all the way through, even as steam clogged his nose. She put her back to him to rinse out the conditioner she'd carelessly rubbed through her mass of hair, and the state of her back brought him out of his reverie.

 

Rugged, maroon scrapes ran parallel to her spine, and minor cuts had scabbed over. The bruising blended with that on her ribs, and she was a patchwork of violent desire. He reached out, gently stroking the tips of his fingers down the marks, and caught her slight shiver as she glanced back at him with a brow raised.

 

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize I hurt you." He murmured, stomach churning as he thought of himself being so lost in lust that he'd harmed the one person he had sworn to love and protect.

 

Her smirk was softened by the sweet understanding in her vivid eyes, "Don't be. It was worth a few bruises and scrapes," She teased, turning to smooth away his frown by cupping his jaw and drawing him down for a tender kiss that made the guilt bleed out of him.

 

She only broke it once she felt the tension leave him and quickly finished up. They dried off as best they could, skin still damp, as they pulled their clothes and shoes on before bolting downstairs to inform Steve of their plans. He barely listened as Manon barked orders at her friend, but he sensed their volatile tension and hoped they'd sort it out soon. Steve gave Jake a look of unease but just shook his head as Manon grabbed the car keys and ensured her gun was loaded before leaving the house without a backward glance. They were on the road before he could even register where he was.

 

Manon's music played quietly, and he was grateful to hear it again. He tried to let it drown out the thoughts in his brain, warning him that this was a bad idea. It didn't work, and he knew nothing would. His sister. Fuck. How did he even begin that conversation? Lilly had been hard enough, and he couldn't imagine how Hannah would feel once she knew. Manon caught him chewing on the inside of his cheek and reached over to squeeze his hand as she drove like a hellion.

 

"I won't pretend to know how you must be feeling, Jake, but you don't have to tell her anything today."

 

Nodding, he replied, "I know. I've already fucked this up royally. I don't want her to hate me."

 

"That can't happen. It won't. She'll understand once she knows, but I can always tell her if it's too much for you." She suggested, and he was grateful; he wanted to kiss her for offering but couldn't accept it.

 

"No, I can't hide from this... We'll see how she is first." He said more decisively than he felt, and she smiled at him, pride glittered in her tired eyes.

 

It felt like no time had passed as they found a parking spot at the hospital and rushed into the building. He saw her stiffen as the disinfectant-fogged air enveloped them, and her expression went blank as she demanded the receptionist tell them where Hannah's room was. A flash of her badge, a killer smile that didn't reach her eyes, and they were quickly given directions. His own anxiety faded to the background like static in his head as he watched her grow tenser, and every breath seemed shorter than the last as the fluorescents above flickered and buzzed. Reaching out, he grabbed her elbow and hauled her to a stop.

 

Ignoring her outraged look, he said, "Are you okay? I can go alone. You can wait in the car."

 

Ire replaced the dead look in her eyes as she straightened and shook her head, "I'm fine. Come on, let's get it over with."

 

Sighing, he examined her face, saw she would not bend for this and slid his hand down her arm to twine their fingers together. Three squeezes to eliminate the panic in her body as they turned another corner and saw the officer seated outside Hannah's room. The man stood, hand going to his weapon as he asked who they were. Manon sauntered over, letting him have a good look at her badge before going around him to step inside Hannah's room. Jake was drawing a deep breath to steady himself as he crossed the threshold and set eyes on his sister for the first time.

 

Hannah looked more akin to a broken porcelain doll than a human. Thin arms ringed with rope burns and bruises were folded over the hospital blanket. Hooked up to machines that beeped and wheezed, he quickly looked away from her and took in the room. Immediately, he understood why people always brought flowers to hospital rooms. The technology worked to keep people alive and help them heal, and the sounds of it all were overwhelming. It wasn't nice to look at either. Something in their human nature needed something organic and pretty in such settings, natural beauty that helped the healing process. The rooms were dull and drab. Grey and white, palest blue. It was enough to make you sick, and flowers broke that up when the hospital budget didn't allow for a cheerier shade of paint.

 

A voice he'd only heard on calls reached him, fragile and laced with confusion, but he could detect its quiet strength.

 

"Who are you? Why are you here?" Hannah rasped.

 

Jake glanced at Manon, who had clasped her hands so tightly he could see her knuckles bleach white.

 

"My name is Manon Corvin. I'm with the FBI and was involved in your case through Thomas and your friends."

 

He watched in dumb silence as Hannah frowned and gasped, eyes widening as her hands shook against the bedsheets.

 

"You – I emailed you! But I was too late... I was too late," Hannah breathed, eyes sparkling with heavy tears that made Jake take a stumbling step toward her, drawing her attention to him as Manon's face remained carefully blank.

 

"You weren't too late. I sent Manon's number to Thomas, and she helped us free you." Jake said, words tripping off his tongue, hoping they made sense.

 

"I know you," Hannah whispered, eyes full of shadows as she tried to place his voice. He nodded once and saw recognition spark bright in her haunted eyes, "Jake... what the hell are you doing here?!"

 

Manon took a step back as he explained his involvement, how he'd broken so many laws to find her that he was surprised he hadn't been arrested yet. He told her how Manon had taken over, how badly her friends missed her, and how hard it had been to find her. What he didn't say was why he had gotten so involved. Hoped Hannah would be too drugged or exhausted to wonder, but he wasn't that lucky.

 

"You ignored me for years, then immediately called me when I asked for help, and now you're here... Why? I need to know why."

 

"I know I treated you horribly, but there was a good reason for it. My life changed so drastically, dangerously, and I couldn't risk dragging you into it." He hedged, but Hannah was smart.

 

"No, that's not it. I want you to tell me the truth, Jake. I've kept your secrets safe all this time. I think you can trust me now."

 

Jake swallowed thickly, mouth going dry as he fisted his hands and perched on the hard plastic chair at the side of her bed. Manon looked like to bolt as he met her gaze, this would be intensely awkward for all of them, and he hated it. The woman he wanted to marry was watching him steadily, and Hannah's drug-clouded gaze never wavered either. He couldn't run from this. He opened his mouth to explain when Manon's phone rang, and she answered after checking who it was. They could only hear her side, but he knew it wasn't good as her voice turned to a snarl, and he saw the rage igniting in her.

 

"How the fuck could you let this happen?! Do you wake up every day and decide to piss me off? You promised he'd be safe."

 

A man, Alan Bloomgate, he thought, spoke fast as he tried to explain, but it was just a mumbled mess to him, and Manon soon cut through his rambling.

 

"Pull all officers away from the motel and the forests surrounding it... Don't argue, do it! Get to the hospital and make sure Hannah isn't left alone while we clean up your mess."

 

She hung up and tossed him an apologetic look. Still, he was relieved, almost weightless, as he told Hannah he'd explain another time. He felt like the worst sort of craven as Hannah leveled curses at his back as he followed Manon out of the room. They rang in his ears and pierced him deep but he couldn't stop. The police officer outside Hannah's room jolted as they raced by, too focused on getting back outside. Manon's shoulders didn't relax until the sliding glass door closed behind them.

 

"What's happened?" He asked as they jogged back to the car.

 

"Alfie, the motel owner's son, he's been kidnapped."

 

His heart turned over, and dread settled in his stomach like lead and weighed his feet down as they got in the car. Manon soon had them on the road back into town and wasted no time. She called Steve, ordering him to get to the motel as soon as possible before hanging up again. They seemed to hit every red light. Time sped up each time they stopped, and he was sick of feeling like he was always catching up. Manon's growl of impatience each time it happened, and her risky driving didn't help calm him as they tried to outrun the clock. Still, he wouldn't say a word as he knew it was how she dealt with things changing so suddenly and direly. They were only a few miles away when her phone rang again, and she blindly accepted the call. A distorted voice trickled through the car speakers, and both went very still.

 

"You for the boy. No guards or police. Last chance, or they all die." Hanson said and hung up.

 

He knew this was it; their reckoning had arrived, and they were unprepared. He listened as she explained her plan to him. Even as his heart shattered and panic stole the breath from his lungs, he only nodded. She still had the tracker in her jacket, and he'd spied her necklace around her neck as they'd driven here. They'd find her again, and it was the only way. He hated it. Wanted to beat his fists against the glass windshield and feel his blood spilling over his knuckles. Everything in him screamed at him to protect her, keep her safe. But she wasn't a damsel in need of saving. He only had to find her again, and knew he could do that. Would find his way to her no matter what stood between them. Set this world on fire to clear the way, and the gratitude in her venom eyes told him she understood without him saying it.

 

The motel soon came into view, the place was locked up tight and they knew Bloomgate had followed her instructions. All except the one she'd given him to guard Hannah. He stood in the parking lot beside his cruiser as she parked, jumped out, and marched over to the Chief. He watched in shocked silence as she lifted her hands and slapped them into the Chief's chest, shoving him into his car. Her fists moved again, and Bloomgate grimaced and flinched back as she punched his chest. Each word she spat was highlighted by another punch that Alan took and didn't move to block her.

 

"When this is over, you will hand in your badge and leave the force. You are a liability. You promised he wouldn't be at risk. Are you fucking stupid or just lazy?!"

 

Manon was panting, loose hair sticking to her flushed face as she dropped her hands and glared up at Alan, who at least had the grace not to defend himself.

 

"I can't change what happened. I can only help you find him. We aren't sure how long he's been missing -"

 

Manon laughed. The sound was full of hatred and acidic spite as she clipped, "Oh, it just keeps getting better! Fuck me gently, Alan. How could you not notice he was gone?"

 

"Mrs. Walter was busy checking everyone out and tidying the rooms. She started a few hours ago and can't remember if she saw Alfie after breakfast this morning. She's on her way to the station for questioning... Hanson could have taken him anywhere by now." Alan said, voice flat and empty of all emotion as Manons stare cut through him.

 

"Where were your officers? They were supposed to watch him!" She demanded, not giving Alan an inch to retreat as she moved closer, and Jake saw her hands twisting and lifting like she wanted to strangle the Chief.

 

Alan looked away from her, face turning pink as he muttered, "After last night, I had to call most away and only left one on watch. He fell asleep and didn't hear anything."

 

At that, Manon scoffed and walked back to his side, yelling over her shoulder at Alan, "Useless. Fucking useless. Get out of my sight. Go to hell for all I care. Your help is no longer needed."

 

Neither paid Alan any mind as he sighed, did as he was told, and left the motel. Jake knew the man felt like a waste of space and completely out of his element. Still, he could find no sympathy for him and couldn't find it in him to care. Manon was a tornado-wearing human skin as she ran through the plan with him once more. He caught her looking at the hood of his new hoodie she had gifted him a few days ago, and he idly thought she was pleased he was wearing it. 

 

Giving himself a shake, he refocused on what she was telling him.  This wasn't the time to wonder how attractive she found him, and he agreed to wait for Steve in the car as her phone buzzed with Hanson's coordinates in a message from yet another unknown number. He saw her don her mental armor. The iron and steel wrapping around her skin and fire burning bright in her eyes, and he tried to ignore his bleeding heart but gave in before she could walk away from him.

 

Cupping her beloved face in his hands, he crushed his mouth to hers, kissed her as if he'd never see her again, and poured as much strength, love, and devotion into it as he could. If he couldn't go with her, he'd send her off tasting of him and itching to come back to finish what he started. Hungry, biting, and tainted with despair, she kissed him back, and he could taste her promise to return to him on her tongue before she pulled away. He didn't let go, speaking the words he needed her to hear before she walked into the lion's den.

 

"I don't care about anything but you. Come back to me. If I have to come looking for you, I'll burn the town to ashes and won't feel guilty about it. I love you."

 

She nodded, eyes fierce and unfaltering as she said, "I promise. I'll be quick. I love you too."

 

He kissed her again, quick and dirty, before tearing himself away. He never would if he didn't let her go now, and she sensed it as she smiled and walked toward the forest. She never looked back; pride was a physical force within him as the pines swallowed her whole. He knew Steve would arrive soon, but he couldn't just stand around waiting. He'd promised her he wouldn't interfere or follow. But that didn't mean he couldn't ensure no one else followed her, and there were no other traps set for her as she made her way to make a deal with the devil. Mind made up, he entered the forest a reasonable distance away from the path she had chosen and prayed she wouldn't hear him.

 

 

 

Manon

 

It was a trap. And she was well aware of it. But just like the locks she picked, this was a trap she'd gladly chosen to walk into. The hardest part was shutting down the pieces of her that bled and called for her to turn around and return to the safety of Jake's arms before it all went to shit. She was a profoundly selfish woman, but even she balked at leaving that little boy in the clutches of a monster. Her blood steamed and boiled as she strode through that damned forest and followed her phone's directions to Hanson. Paul hadn't turned Richy's phone on yet, so this was all she could do to end this mess before it destroyed them all.

 

Her brain was in survival mode now. All the clever plans and barbed words had failed, and she had to make the best of this. Before she'd put her back to him, Jake's face would haunt her until her dying day. He'd tried to keep a brave mask on, but she could see through it to the devastation that choked her and threatened to snap her resolve. She had felt his eyes on her until the forest hid her from view, and the loss of his gaze had felt like a slap as she focused on the way forward. No more looking back, the past was past, and it couldn't hobble her now. She kept her eyes sharp and scanned her surroundings constantly. Searching for other traps or anyone sneaking up on her, she was blessedly alone in this ancient hallowed ground. 

 

The beat of her heart was a metronome that set the pace of her feet, and she couldn't ignore the flicker of her pulse in her neck as the trees began to thin and the clearing she'd dreamed about came into view. First, she saw the memorial rock for Jennifer. The plaque caught the sun and glittered like gold. It was unsettlingly beautiful in this monstrous place. Her eyes stuck to it as a chill ran down her spine. It wasn't long before she sensed another person nearby. She drew her gun and crouched, slowly surveying the clearing for anyone wearing that stupid mask. Something was wrong. Like there was a current in the air, she felt her senses sit up and warn her all wasn't as it seemed. It still felt like a trap, but not for her, and she couldn't understand it. No sign of Hanson or Paul. Nothing. Hardly daring to breathe as she heard someone sniffle, so quiet she thought she'd imagined it until it happened again, louder this time.

 

Rising to her feet, she saw a rumpled bundle she thought were discarded clothes until it moved, and she immediately bolted for the small figure huddled under the shadow of a great tree. Setting the gun down on the dirt, she reached for him. Alfie's tear-stained face was blotchy and bright red as he struggled with his bound hands. She gritted her teeth, vision turning red and hands trembling as she quickly untied him and ignored the thud of something falling to the ground to drag the boy up and away from the tree. Settling him on her hip where he buried his face into her hair, she patted his back and turned in a slow circle as she tried and failed to come up with a reason for this. 

 

Alfie was griping and sobbing, completely distraught, as he leaned into her and she'd never been good with kids, but he needed her to stay calm. She knew if she let her fury out of its cage, the boy would be traumatized even more, and she would never forgive herself. His sniffling and crying slowed but didn't stop. What he'd seen before she arrived wasn't worth thinking about. He grabbed hold of her necklace, fiddling with it as he tried to stop crying, and it broke her heart so thoroughly that she knew it would always ache when reminded of this. 

 

She was grinding her teeth, adrenaline flowing through her body, and she had nothing or no one to take it out on. There was only her and this poor child. She strained her ears, trying to hear something that would tell her what was happening, but only the birds answered her wordless plea. Frustration and confusion swirled. Something wasn't right. Her instincts were never wrong. Muttering nonsense, babbling really to keep Alfie still, she did not jump as a jingling sound began to play, and her eyes snapped to the tree again, remembering the thing that had fallen as she looked at Alfie and tried to soothe him.

 

"I need to put you down, okay? I won't be far. You have nothing to be afraid of, I promise." She said, and he made a choking noise, hiccuping as he tried to nod.

 

"Stay there. I won't be a minute." She said, putting him down and running back to the tree, bending to scoop up the old cracked cell phone.

 

"I'm here. I thought the deal was me for the boy?" She said instead of hello.

 

"Change of plans, Manon," Hanson replied calmly, no sign of the vocal distortion he'd used earlier.

 

Manon wanted to kill him through the phone but could only use her words, "I followed your instructions. I'm waiting. Or are you too chicken shit to fight someone your own size?" 

 

Hanson laughed; the sound slithered through the phone and air, making her shiver, utterly disgusted with everything.

 

"Ah, I could take you. There is something I want more than your death, though."

 

Manon scowled and threw a hand in the air. "I'm not playing your stupid games anymore. Quit speaking in riddles and spit it out!"

 

Outside, she did her best to look calm and at ease as Alfie watched her, but internally, she was screeching and shouting her distress. Her heart thudded uselessly in her chest, the adrenaline made her body quiver and tense, and she was very close to falling headfirst into insanity as Hanson spoke.

 

"Killing you would be too easy. Over much too soon. I think I'd prefer to watch you lose everything and suffer like I have since my daughter was killed. So, instead of killing you, I decided to take something important to you."

 

Her heart fucking stopped dead in her chest as her mind fought itself and ice replaced the fire inside her. Cold. A chill laced with frost and snow spread over her skin, and her mind repeated two words over and over. Take me, take me, take me. Repeating it did nothing to alter her life's new course, and she no longer felt wholly human. Something inside her shifted irrevocably as Hanson chuckled and poured salt into the gaping wound where her heart used to reside.

 

"I thought killing you would be enough. But last night, I found a way to hurt you more." 

 

Manon was shaking her head; her heart was lodged in her throat as she reached out and pulled Alfie to her.

 

"Nothing you do will stop me from putting you in a grave or a cell. It's your choice which one it'll be." She snarled and clung tight to her frayed nerves as Alfie again grasped and played with her necklace. He was so quiet she would have been worried if her attention hadn't been elsewhere.

 

"Nothing? Are you sure? Not even for Jake, Manon?" Hanson crooned.

 

Everything inside her went still. Silence louder than any scream filled her head, and she couldn't feel her face. She was shaking her head, panic, and terror clawing their way up her throat and demanding freedom. Hanson was sure to be smiling on the other side of that call as she melted down. No, no, no. Not him. Not Jake. It was always supposed to be her. She felt like the earth below her feet had cracked open, an abyss so deep she'd fall for years before shattering herself on the bottom. Her bones had fused together, and she couldn't get enough air. Couldn't think or do anything other than exist. It wouldn't be long enough to dull the pain if she remained frozen in this state forever. As quickly as panic and fear had paralyzed her, her predictable temper sparked to life and eviscerated her self-control.

 

"We will finish this now. Stop hiding behind other people and fucking face me like a man. I can find you; I will come for you."

 

"Stay right there, Manon. You're too late. Take the boy and leave town if you want Jake to live." 

 

The ice melted. Wildfire soon replaced it as she lost the one thing she could not survive losing.

 

"I will kill you for this. No matter where you go or who you try to become. I will find you." She swore as she heard the thwack of flesh meeting flesh and Jake's muffled grunt of pain. She was surprised flame didn't spew from her mouth. The rage was so consuming.

 

"He will live. How long is up to you? Goodbye... for now." 

 

Hanson hung up, and she couldn't look away from the phone in her hand as she sensed Steve approaching but did not turn to look at him. She didn't react as Steve pulled Alfie away from her, and she heard him whispering sweetly to the little boy, yet on her knees, she remained. Her life had gone up in smoke. All she'd known and cared about was gone in an instant. Jake was with the enemy, Steve; his betrayal and deceit still soured her heart. And it was all of her own making. Her hopes had gone up like a firestorm, like an invisible bomb had been dropped in the middle of her life. Karma's honorable bombing for daring to believe she could have everything she wanted.

 

It didn't feel fair. Hadn't she sacrificed enough by now? Surely the universe owed her a win instead of yet more fucking loss that would stain her skin and soul forever. She would have welcomed madness then, anything to block out the jagged, poisoned pain in her hollow chest, rendering her immobile. Steve knew to leave her be; his calm muttering to the little boy was a terrible soundtrack to her bloodstained life. 

 

And she knelt beside the crater of her life and love, staring into that blackened, burning bottomless chasm of rage and ruin, screaming silently. Nothing could have prepared her for this. Surviving hell once before hadn't helped to dull the blade of failure as it sliced deep. Nothing else mattered but getting Jake back. She knew there was a high road here, a way to do this cleanly and by the law. But she always skipped that exit when she was lost and was more lost than she'd ever been as she listened to that evil voice inside her brain and chose revenge. The high road disappeared from view as she came to a decision and loosed a long breath that felt more like a death rattle.

 

She slid her hand into her pocket, took out her phone, and called Chris. She didn't speak as he answered.

 

"Manon, what do you need from us?"

 

She let out a caustic laugh, fists clenched, and her shiny steel spine hardened as she stared through the thick trees. She swore an oath that she'd destroy this town, the world if she had to. Hanson would feel the hurt and failure she was drowning in. And he wouldn't see her coming. One way or another, he would die by her hand, and she couldn't wait to feel him give his last breath under her throttling hands. 

 

"Raze Duskwood to the fucking ground."

 

She gave that metaphorical crater one last lethal glare, hung up on Chris and turned to Steve. Ignoring the concern, terror, and pity in his eyes, she said, "Home. Now. There is a tracker in his clothes. By the time we get home, we'll know where he is."

 

Notes:

Thank you for reading! I hope you liked it. It's hard to tell sometimes, so I usually end up thinking everyone hates it and is too afraid to tell me, lol. Stupid, but my brain hates me being happy.

It is another evil ending. I am sorry, but there wasn't any other way. In order for the next chapter to begin how I've written it, this had to be the end for this one. I will update soon! I am committed to finishing this soon to share what I've been planning since January!

Thanks again, see you next time!

Chapter 34: Look what you made me do

Summary:

The aftermath. Manon lets out her fury on someone who has the misfortune of being near her. Then she plots Hanson's downfall.

Notes:

Edited Sunday July 2nd to add in case an email goes out, I accidentally published a draft chapter. It only had snippets in it and notes for myself. It’s coming soon, just not today.

Thank you for being so supportive of this story! I’m so happy you’re still here, and I can’t wait to share everything that I have had written for well over a year. It’s terrifying, but I’m so excited about this story. It feels a little like dying, coming to the end of this. It’s been my life for well over a year. It’ll be really weird once it’s done.

The next few chapters will likely be very long. I am not going to split them anymore as I tend to start doubting myself when I do it. So I’ll keep them whole from now. You’re used to my wordy ass by now!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

344444444

 

"I don't like your little games

Don't like your tilted stage

The role you made me play

Of the fool

No, I don't like you

I don't like your perfect crime

How you laugh when you lie

You said the gun was mine

Isn't cool, no, I don't like you

 

The world moves another day

Another drama, drama 

But not for me, not for me

All I think about is Karma

And then the world moves on 

But one things for sure

Maybe I got mine

But you'll all get yours

 

But I got smarter

I got harder in the nick of time

Honey, I rose up from the dead

I do it all the time

I’ve got a list of names

And yours is in red underlined

I check it once, I check it twice, oh!

 

Ooh, look what you made me do

Look what you made me do 

 

I don't trust nobody 

And nobody trusts me

I'll be the actress starring in your bad dreams

 

Look what you just made me do"

 

Look What You Made Me Do - Taylor Swift 

*********



 

 

 

 

 

 

Jake

 

Darkness had become his whole world. A bag had been tied around his head before he was unceremoniously thrown into the back of a van. His hands were bound, and his fingers tingled unpleasantly as he tried to loosen the ropes around his ankles. The tape over his mouth made breathing hard as his heart tried to pound its way out of his chest. His nightmares often consisted of scenarios like this one, and he saw the irony in them all. He had tried his damndest to stay away from Manon so this wouldn't happen. Now he'd been caught while trying to keep her safe. All roads would have led him here. For her, it was worth it. He knew that, there was no escaping her once he let her in. Paul and Hanson drove in violent silence. Neither spoke once they’d started driving this backwoods road, which crept Jake out more than his current situation.

 

Wherever they were taking him, it wouldn't be easy to find as they'd been driving for ages and showed no sign of slowing. He had bounced around the back of the van like an empty candy wrapper as one of his captors drove them over rough terrain. Manon would be fuming. He half expected to hear a distant explosion, a shockwave of energy that would blast them into dust, or an earthquake that would splinter the earth and make ashes of them all once she found out what had happened. She'd take the rage and use it to hide from the pain of him being taken. He hated that he was the cause of her pain. If he'd listened, they would be on their way to help her end this. Instead, she had to save him, and he was grinning at the thought of her avenging him.

 

She had held back all this time. Playing it safe in an attempt to salvage gold from the wreckage of Duskwood's hidden sinister side. Hanson would have been dead the day she arrived if she'd been less forgiving. Now, there was nothing to stop her from unleashing herself on these morons for daring to touch what was hers. And he was hers; he knew that in his bones. Gladly accepted it as he rolled into the side of the van. All he had to do was endure and try to pick away at the weakened threads that kept Paul working with Hanson. It wouldn't take much. He'd surmised that much when he'd walked into their trap. 

 

As if they'd known he would find his way into the forest; they had been lying in wait, weapons drawn as he came to a halt and cursed his own stupidity. He should've known. Complacency and caring too damn much had stripped away his old diligence at always being cautious. He would have never ended up like this six months ago unless he wanted it. Running was once all he had; it had kept him alive, but he'd promised Manon he would never run from her, and he had chosen not to when his life was at risk. It hadn't been a conscious choice, and regret wasn't even on his radar, and he'd do it again if he had to. 

 

He hoped the little boy was safe, knew Manon would never forgive herself if he'd come to harm. A mere child used as a pawn in this diabolical chess game to lure her away from him after his display last night while stopping her risky plan. Michael had picked up on his emotions towards that fierce little woman who seemed able to take on the world and walk away smirking. None of them had expected him to carry out his vile threat of taking that little boy to make her kneel. Hanson had stooped so low to get to Manon, but he wasn't aware that she had clawed her way out of Hell and laughed as she did it. They did not understand the danger they were in. It thrilled him.

 

His breathing quickened as the van began to slow, harsh pants through his nose as sweat dripped down his face, his hands fisted tight. The road was terribly bumpy, and he would have bruises all over from how hard he was being tossed about. At least they'd had the decency to tie his hands and wrists in front of him. When the van stopped, he held his breath and counted the thumps of his heart as they exited the vehicle and the sliding door was pulled open. He couldn't see them, but he still tried to fight as he was dragged out, landing on his back so hard his breath whooshed from him. Harsh hands gripped his upper arms and forced him to his feet. The raspy voice in his ear was one he recognized as Hansons.

 

"Don't try anything. You have a chance to live if your bitch can follow orders and leaves town."

 

Jake wanted to laugh; his body trembled with it as the tape kept it trapped inside. Oh, they didn't know who they were dealing with. The only orders Manon ever followed were the ones he gave her while he was locked inside her. Outside the bedroom, she gave the orders and would not yield to these imbeciles. Something reckless or fearless would soon be afoot. If she left and never came back, he would be utterly devastated. Complete desolation just thinking about it. But he knew it would never happen. That wasn’t Manon’s way. He would not let them aggravate him. They wanted him afraid, desperate, and hopeless. The joke was on them, he'd spent the last four years feeling that way, and it did not frighten him now.

 

Still, he listened to Hanson and let them haul him up what sounded like rickety wooden stairs. The grinding sound of rusted hinges opening reached him through the thick bag, and he was taken inside a building that felt massive even while he was blind. The door slammed shut, the slide of a metal lock clanged, and the building felt immense but dark somehow. A heavy, smoky energy loitered in the air that he managed to scent through the fabric.  He already half knew where he was but needed visual confirmation. Steve hopefully remembered what they'd spoken of the day before. He would know where Jake was if he looked close enough. Relief shimmered through him as an aggressive hand removed the bag along with a handful of his hair. Wincing, blinking rapidly as the light pierced his eyes, he took in his surroundings and again wanted to laugh.

 

A shattered but somehow still whole stained glass window took up the majority of the fire-blackened wall at the back of the decrepit church. Half-burned pews and other religious detritus were scattered about like a giant had tired of playing with its dollhouse. What had once been a place of worship was now a burnt ruin of lost hope. And it was hilarious to him that these idiots had chosen it as their final safe haven. There was no hate like Christian love, and it was ironic that they thought they'd be safe here. He'd heard them muttering before they'd left the motel, how no one could find it as the town had forgotten all about it. His heart tried to sink as those words settled in him, but he knew Steve knew it existed, and Manon soon would.

 

His phone had been taken from him and smashed before they started the drive and they’d emptied his pockets too. He was tugged down the dust and debris-strewn aisle, dodging soot-coated broken rafters dangling precariously from the ceiling as he was suspended uselessly between his two captors. Smoke still lingered in the air, old and long gone cold, but it permeated every surface in the room. How the building still stood, he wasn’t sure. The structure seemed sound enough despite the charred support beams in precarious positions. There were holes in the ceiling where little puddles of light pooled on the floor at their feet. If it rained, the place would be soaked. 

 

He was dropped in a heap as they reached the altar, and Paul leaned down to pull up the trap door behind it. Like the gaping maw of some beast, he saw a black pit and a set of damaged stairs that he couldn’t see the bottom of. The hole was big enough for a body to be tossed down it; he soon found that out when he was shoved through it. They said nothing and gave him no warning before he was tossed down like a bag of potatoes. A scream was trapped in his throat as he fell through inky darkness and braced himself for the inevitable crash. Luckily, he didn't have far to fall. All he felt was the blow to the back of his head before unconsciousness claimed him.

 

 

 

Manon

 

 

No matter what, it was her that should be in the back of a car or van, not Jake, kidnapped for being with her. Used as a weapon to make her heel. She refused. Getting Jake back was all she cared about. In the end, it was her or Hanson, and she was not planning to die. She saw nothing but a red haze dripping over her vision, reminding her of blood swirling down the sink. Her ears still rang from the bomb blast that demolished her life, and a tick flickered wildly in her jaw as she drove home with Steve following behind in his car. He had tried to take her keys and stop her driving, but she ignored him and left him there as he passed Alfie off to the police. How they'd known to come, she wasn't sure. He must have driven like a madman to catch up with her as they pulled up to the cabin almost as one.

 

Getting out of the car, she slammed the door and made a beeline for the house. Steve tried to grab her and pleaded with her to listen. She ducked, whirled, and punched him in the jaw. Pain burst over her knuckles but it only made her more determined as he stumbled back. Shock and regret were in his eyes as she shook her hands and advanced. He straightened, hands falling to his sides as she aimed for his gut. Her fury was not satisfied as her fist connected. He cursed and stumbled back. Her next hit was a backhanded slap to the shoulder. Trying to make him fight back, but he was adamantly resistant to it. He didn't try to block her. Not once did he try to protect himself as she punched his face again and growled at him. 

 

"Betraying me, I could have gotten over. But where were you when he was being ambushed? Why weren't you there?"

 

Her friend looked resigned, but the pity in his gaze only stoked the embers smoking her out of her mind.

 

"Traffic, Manon. Even you couldn't threaten that away. Look, he's gone. You can take it out on me or save it for Hanson. Your choice. I'll accept either outcome."

 

Manon knew he was right, and it only made her feel worse. She clenched her throbbing fist, rearing to hit him again when a roasting stabbing sensation in her chest ripped away her strength. It stole the wind from her sails as she sank to her knees. Her entire body quaked. Something was frightfully wrong with her and this situation. It built in her chest and head, smothering her sense of self. Like there was a pressure filling her up, and she had to let some of it out. The need was wholly consuming, eating away at the last of her stubborn resolve, and she couldn't keep it behind her teeth any longer. Opening her mouth, and tilting her head back, she screamed at the sky, needing to give sound to the agony in her soul. Her throat ached with the force of it as it went on and on. Steve crouched beside her, ignoring the fact that blood dripped from his nose as he grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her into him. Her ragged scream was muffled into his chest until she ran out of air, and exhaustion made her body go limp and heavy. It wasn't him she was mad at, but he was there, like always; he was there to see her breakdown.

 

Tears lined her eyes, but she couldn't make them fall. The fire of molten rage and bloodlust in her veins and body soon dried them, and all she felt was dust as she closed her tired eyes and let Steve comfort her. In her mind, fiery cords connected her to Jake, Hanson, and Paul. Each one had a separate path she could walk. First, she could leave, and Hanson held to his promise. Unlikely, but say it worked. Second, Paul wanted his son saved and would help so long as she managed it. She wanted to save Richy, too but had no way to contact Paul. And third, save Jake; she found a way inside and saved him. How could she get him out and then kill Hanson too? In the end, all were futile. Her attempts to do this the right way had failed before she'd arrived here. It had taken her losing him to see that. Now all she could see was blood. Hers, Jakes, and hopefully Hansons. She wanted to feel it as Michael's heart stopped beating. Her hands itched with the need as she pulled back from Steve and searched his face.

 

He didn't look angry with her, and she didn't feel bad for hitting him. If he hadn't sabotaged her earlier, this wouldn't have happened, and she was so fucking tired of losing. He forced a wink, trying to show her he understood, but neither was in the mood for small talk as he helped her stand, and they walked into the house. No longer a home, just an empty shell she had filled with her hopes and dreams, now it would fall to ruin. Maybe this would be the first thing she set ablaze. Anything to get rid of the sinking, hollow sensation inside her. It was funny how life moved on. While she felt frozen in disbelief and sadness, everything outside of her kept going and she was expected to accept it. Her phone was ringing, but she left it on the kitchen counter as she grabbed a bottle of wine and popped the cork. She downed half the bottle before Steve took it from her to drink the rest and handed her the phone. She hadn't even noticed he'd answered it.

 

"Manon, is it safe to come back?" Jessy asked, sounding tired but cheery.

 

Manon's voice was flat as she replied, "It is. You don't have to, though. You can stay where you are."

 

Jessy was silent for a moment, and Manon knew she'd heard the lifelessness stealing her ability to care about anything.

 

"No, we'll come back soon. It's too much having everyone in my apartment. Are you okay? You sound… wrong?"

 

Manon chuckled, but it had no humor, "Just peachy. See you later." She hung up before Jessy could question her and led Steve upstairs.

 

Inside her bedroom, her eyes darted over everything, and the twisting, barbed wire fist clutching her heart squeezed and drew blood at the sight of her rumpled bed and the clothes Jake had left on the floor. She wanted to pick them up and bury her nose in them, soothe the ache inside her chest at his absence, but Steve was watching, and he already thought her insane. His mark on her was as indelible as the scars on her body, and the visual evidence of it almost took her feet out from under her. Jake's scent was everywhere. Lingering in the air like a phantom breeze, it made bile rise in her throat, and her hands shook so badly that Steve reached out and turned her away from it.

 

"Stop it. Come on, and we'll see where he is." He muttered as she choked down a sob and clung tight to her thoughts of revenge.

 

They sat down in front of Jake's laptop, and she felt as if she were outside of her body as she watched him lift the lid and turn on the extra screens. Steve was typing on his own laptop, it had been left beside Jake's, and she didn't have the heart to tell him that she didn't know Jake's password as the command to enter it appeared onscreen. When he remained quiet, happily typing away, and the sound picked at her flimsy patience, she broke and blurted it out.

 

"What are you doing? I don't know what he used as a password. He never told me." She rasped, throat sore from screaming.

 

"I don't know either. Maybe you can help me figure it out; he’s left some hints... if you're up for it?" He asked, examining her face.

 

She wanted to take a handful of painkillers and sleep for a week but had no time to rest as she said, "Tell me."

 

Steve nodded, "The first hint, August."

 

She frowned, "August? What happens then?" It was a nonsensical clue, but at the same time, she thought maybe it wasn’t, and she just wasn’t putting it together. 

 

"I don't know, Manon. The second hint, nightstand... he's a cryptic little shit," Steve chuckled, quickly cutting it out as Manon soundlessly rose to her feet and aimed for Jake's nightstand.

 

Tugging open the drawer, she found a well-used black leatherbound notebook and a pen. She frowned at it as Steve asked, "Anything?"

 

"I'm not sure," She said, picking up the notebook and holding it up, "I never saw him write in this."

 

"The final clue is written down in ink. You found someone as dramatic as you. I don't know whether to be happy for you or terrified." Steve jested lightly as she stared at that worn leather.

 

"You can figure that out once we've found him. Has his tracker come online on yours yet?"

 

"It's going in and out. They're traveling still." He replied, and she wanted to scream again.

 

She plopped down on the bed and unclasped the notebook, hungrily taking in his neat scrawl on the first page. Unlike her own chicken scratch, his handwriting was a tidy script, almost feminine, but with an edge that spoke of his sharp focus as he’d marked down his thoughts. Something occurred to her then. Her sluggish mind was exhausted from shock and lack of sleep, and things were taking longer than usual to connect in her brain.

 

"How did you know where to find me and Alfie?"

 

Steve turned to her, a slight frown on his kind face, "Didn't you press your necklace? It kept alerting me. I figured something had gone wrong, and you were calling for help. I didn't know Jake was gone until I got to you."

 

"Alfie..." Manon breathed, hand going to her necklace and remembering the way the little boy had played with the pendant.

 

Steve's gaze softened as he understood and said, "Jake set it up so he and I would get the alert. As would the police."

 

That explained how they knew to be there after she'd sent Bloomgate away. Shaking her head, she reverently stroked a hand over Jake's handwriting, wishing she knew what he was thinking then. How was he faring in the clutches of a monster? If they harmed a hair on his head… No. She couldn't go down that path if she wanted to save him. Flipping through the pages, eyeing the dates and times he'd written down, much of it was from months before he'd ever spoken with her. It was written in code and what appeared to be gibberish at first glance, but there was a pattern to it. She was so absorbed in trying to figure it out that she jumped to her feet when Steve shouted her name, startled as the notebook fell to the floor, and she stared in awed silence as a small square of paper slid free of the pages and fluttered to the floor. Ignoring Steve's questions, she knelt to pick it up and instantly wished she hadn't.

 

hopemanon

For the hope of it all. J

 

 

Fuck it all. Fuck everything. She blindly handed it to Steve, who didn't seem to understand why she clutched her hair in two tight fists and bared her teeth as she paced, trying to outrun her torment at seeing those words written in Jake’s hand. What had once been a cherished promise to live and love for the hope of it, was now an epitaph of stolen dreams. Desperate to run and leave, she wished she could return to the days she felt numb. She had felt freest then. Love always came with a bite of pain, it bled and broke, changed them, and made fools of them all, and now she was left to pick up the pieces while putting an end to this. It felt insurmountable as Steve padded back to the laptop and urged her to follow. Releasing her grip on her hair, she did as asked and slumped into Jake's chair, ignoring how cold it was.

 

"Think Manon. What would he use? It can't be this sentence. It's too long."

 

She stared at the black and grey screen, recalling everything Jake had said or done and what they'd whispered under the sheets while the world outside their bedroom slept. You are the key. I am at your mercy. For the hope of it all, Manon. I was looking for you this whole time. She remembered it all, thought she always would, and it hurt now; she felt it like a hot poker through her gut. You are the key...

 

"Try 'ManonJ1322,'" She managed after swallowing down a torrent of hurtful words she wanted to yell at Jake for getting himself caught.

 

Steve inputted her suggestion, and it was immediately rejected. Her heart sank even lower, and she frowned and chewed on her lip as Steve turned the piece of paper she'd found over to see if there was anything on the back. It annoyed her that she'd been wrong. She had thought the day they met would be the key. Her brain kept spinning like the icon on the screen, and she wanted to punch it. Sighing, she crossed her arms and watched Steve fiddling with the note. She caught Jake's message again as he flipped the piece of paper back around, and something sparked in her brain. Hope, sometimes it was all a person needed to keep fighting, and she understood somehow that that was the answer. Sliding Jake's laptop to her, she furiously typed in the words and numbers in her mind and crossed her mental fingers.

 

HopeManon0326

 

Neither breathed as the screen went black for a second then his home screen flashed on. Steve chuckled, disbelief in his tone as he said, "I've never known a hacker that had such a simple password."

 

She smiled slightly, "He's not your standard hacker. It's a message for me." And she knew she was right. He'd chosen her birthday. It was like Jake had known she'd one day need this tiny ray of hope to see her through the next day.

 

Steve soon commandeered the laptop, and she was barely paying attention as he worked. Her overtaxed mind was slowly shutting down, and she needed to sleep before the cavalry arrived, or she would be of no use to anyone. When Steve said it would take a while for the tracker to send an exact location due to the lack of cell towers in the area, she took his gentle advice and lay down for a bit. She didn't think she would actually sleep, but the adrenaline had left her feeling empty now it had fizzled away, and it was exhausting, and she was grateful her dreams didn't give her a replay of the day's events.

 

 

 

Steve

 

"Son of a bitch," He murmured, aware of the ticking time bomb asleep behind him as Jake's tracker finally gave him a location.

 

It had bounced about for the last two hours. Giving false coordinates, and he had kept quiet to allow Manon to sleep some as he knew she hadn't gotten much rest the night before. He had noticed they'd left the house at some point during the night, he hadn't followed as he knew Manon could handle herself, and what she couldn't, Jake would. He'd heard them come back but pretended to sleep as they climbed the stairs hand in hand. He was ecstatic for her, but now Jake was gone, and he was waiting for the explosion sure to come from his friend.

 

His eyes trailed over the map and the sheer vastness of the forest enclosing the town, cutting it off from the rest of the country. There had to be a path to the church they were keeping Jake in. The tracker had moved too fast to be on foot, so there was a way to get there that didn't require a three-hour hike. He knew Manon would lose it if she had to walk that distance while imagining how they could hurt her man while she fought to get there. His phone had buzzed a half hour ago. Chris would arrive there soon, and he was dreading telling Manon. The choice of whether or not he should wake her was taken out of his hands as the front door opened and quickly slammed shut. Familiar female and male voices filtered through the silent house, and Manon was already climbing out of bed as he looked over at her.

 

"I can go talk to them if you want to hide for a bit?" He offered, knowing she needed to lick her wounds before she put a brave face on.

 

"No, it's fine. I'll do it." She said thickly, but the spark was back in her eyes, and he was relieved and nervous at the sight of it.

 

He nodded as she straightened her clothes and went into the bathroom. He heard the tap running after a few minutes, listening as she washed up; he didn't relax until she came out and disappeared downstairs. Blowing a long breath, he returned to his laptop and brought up the images of the abandoned burned church. It was still relatively whole, the damage was obvious and deep-rooted, but it was a perfect spot for a last stand. Good versus evil, how cliché. He was noting down the exact location and its various paths when a message popped up on Jake's screen. His heart jumped as he read it, Richy's phone had come back on, and when he clicked on the message, Jake's more expansive map opened and instantly zoomed in on the church.

 

Chuckling, he admired the man's work before spotting a road he hadn't noticed on his own more basic map. It wasn't well traveled, but it was traversable by car if they were careful. He jotted it all down, ensuring everything was perfect as Richy's phone was turned back off. Raised voices downstairs caught his attention, and he listened as Manon barked at them to shut up. A warm, bubbly voice asked Manon if she was okay, and he smiled softly, grateful she'd found a family of sorts in the midst of this mess. The voices soon simmered down, and he could picture Manon's drawn face as she explained all that had happened.

 

The maps were clear, and now he knew Jake's location; there was nothing else he could do. He lingered upstairs long enough that Manon and her friends had fallen silent as his phone went again. Chris would be here within minutes. Swallowing down a groan, he typed out a quick message to Chris, telling him to be careful in how he approached Manon as she was one wrong word away from igniting a temper the likes of which Duskwood had yet to witness.

 

Rising from his chair, he turned off the laptops and reluctantly walked away from the desk. He opened the bedroom door to find Manon standing hollow-eyed in the hallway. Defeated and lost, she was the picture of a ghostly waif, and he hated it. He didn't think, just reached out and dragged her into a hug, ignoring her tension at first as she fought it before she went limp and hugged him back. His face still ached. The dried blood in his nose itched and annoyed him each time he breathed, but he didn't blame her. If he'd kept quiet about her plan, they wouldn't be in this shit right now, and he'd never be able to take it back. He sighed into her hair and pulled back.

 

"I hate that you can't get any time to rest, Manon, but Chris will be here soon."

 

She huffed, squared her shoulders, and nodded, "Fine, let's head down to wait."

 

She tied her hair into a ponytail as they stomped downstairs, he watched it swaying as they entered the dining room, and she took the head seat. He sat to her left and eyed her friends. They all offered him silent greetings that he returned with a smile. They all looked nervous and scared. Even the redhead, who was usually laughing or joking, had an expression of pure spite on her face. Manon quickly explained what was happening, and Dan immediately perked up.

 

"Wait, isn't he like the top boss?" He said, looking at Manon as she nodded before going on, "Why is he getting his hands dirty? Thought he had underlings for this shit."

 

Cleo shot him a glare, and he noticed then that the quiet man, Thomas, he thought, wasn't there, but Hannah's sister was. Interesting.

 

"He's coming to make sure Manon doesn't blow the town up to clear the way to Jake," Steve supplied when Manon stayed quiet.

 

"She should blow it up. The town is fucked," Lilly said acidly, and Manon was smirking at the blond as Steve tried to keep their tempers from flaming.

 

"That might be true, but she's still a government agent. Anything she does can fall back on Chris. He'll want to be sure she isn't planning to destroy their reputation."

 

He may as well have poured gasoline and lit a match as Lilly burst out, "Oh, so their reputation is more important than people's lives?!"

 

"That's not what -" He tried, but Manon cut in.

 

"He knows I won't hold back anymore. I have to convince him I will."

 

Steve felt his stomach sink into his shoes as she settled back in her chair, cool as a winter breeze.

 

He was discouraged from making her see sense when a knock on the door sliced through the furious murmurs of the group. Manon left to answer it, and he steeled himself as she returned with Chris in tow. His boss wasn't a scary-looking man. Just a standard guy with a lot of power at his fingertips, and he wore the burden well as Manon pointed to the chair at the other end of the table from hers and sat back down. No one dared speak as the Director of the FBI sauntered to his seat and took it, his crisp suit and silver pin of office caught his eye. Steve had rarely seen the man anything other than perfectly put together. Except for whenever Manon got herself into something he'd forbidden. How long before that happened again? He was betting on hours as Chris broke the brittle silence.

 

"Manon, Stephen. I see things have gotten more dire since we last spoke. Raze Duskwood to the fucking ground?” He directed the last part to Manon, who only inclined her head. Dressed all in black, she was the picture of nonchalance as everyone else sat straight to attention.

 

"It would be a vast improvement, but I know you're here to tell me we can't destroy an entire town on my command, so let's get that out of the way and pretend I agree." She said too calmly, not even flinching as Chris' eyes narrowed on her.

 

"I told you that we would work with you. We are at your disposal. The time for games has now ended. Let's try and get out of this without three years worth of court cases this time, hmm?" Chris murmured softly but not weakly.

 

All eyes flew to Manon as she picked at her nails, "We'll see. What's your plan?"

 

Chris heaved a long-suffering sigh and didn't take the bait, "We will surround him, smoke him out. You will handle negotiations unless I feel you'll only make it worse. Manon, I understand you've borne a loss, but this isn't just about you."

 

"Oh, but it is, Chris. But fine, we'll play it your way." Manon agreed, but Steve saw the vicious mind working behind her eyes and knew it was a front.

 

Steve decided to get them back on track and ignored Manon's indignant look when he revealed Jake's location before he could tell her privately, "He's chosen an abandoned church deep in the forest as his hideout. It's not easy to get to, but an old logging road there is drivable."

 

"Excellent, Stephen. Let's get this over with so I can get some sleep before all hell breaks loose." Chris said as his gaze fixed on Steve's beaten face. The man said nothing about the bruises blooming on his face as he folded his hands atop the table.

 

"All is in place. We will end this tomorrow. I need you to stay calm and not give in to your impulsivity, Corvin. We have to ensure this is done correctly, or we all lose." Chris intoned, and Manon arched a brow, a glint in her eye that Steve knew all too well, but Chris was too focused on everyone else as he heard their suggestions.

 

They all listened as Chris detailed the plan. They'd move at daybreak. His team was prepping in town after taking over the police station as a base. He would head back there once they finished up. Helicopters were on standby in Colville, waiting for orders to lift them out. A medical team had been dispatched and was on the way. Duskwoods police were to be kept busy in town while they handled the real action. They were still figuring out how that would be done, but even Chris appeared appalled by the Chief's failures and wanted him nowhere near their operation. Manon nodded along, interjecting whenever she thought the plans were weak, which was often, and the vein in Chris' forehead grew more visible each time she opened her mouth. It took hours, and the sun had set when Chris finally wrapped up and speared Manon with a look that would've shrunk a lesser man.

 

"I don't want any heroics from you. We move at dawn. I expect to see you there."

 

Manon smirked like a snake and replied, "I'll be there."

 

Their boss turned to the group of civilians staring at them with comically wide eyes, "The same goes for you. I don't want to see you anywhere near this place, understood?" Chris didn't blink until all of Manon's friends nodded or muttered their agreement.

 

Chris didn't look convinced but didn't push it as he and Manon saw him out. He gave Manon one last order, no risky plans, which she didn't verbally agree to but indicated she did. Steve kept his big mouth shut. He wouldn't take that from him if Chris wanted to believe she'd do as told. Chris looked at his watch, seeming shocked at the time as he bid them farewell and climbed into his fancy SUV. They watched in silence as he drove off, and Steve turned to Manon as she grinned wickedly. Nothing good ever came from that feral smile. Thanks to that look in her eyes, he'd risked his life many times and knew this was just another adventure in her mind. Still, he didn't say a word against it as she led him upstairs.

 

 

 

Manon

 

"We'll head out after midnight. I have to be there and get inside before they arrive." Manon explained, and Steve was shaking his head, but her mind was made up.

 

"Manon, Chris's plan is sound. It'll work." He tried to sway her anyway, but she was past caring.

 

"No, this will end with Jake murdered to spite me if I allow them near before Hanson is dead... You chose the wrong side before. Do you really want to risk it again now?" She retorted and ignored the sour tang of guilt in her mouth as he flinched.

 

She picked up Hannah's phone once she'd gathered her weapons and clothes. Another message from Hanson awaited her.

 

Hanson: Tick Tock. I expect you gone by morning, or his death will be painful.

 

Manon: I heard you the first time.

 

Look to the Dare House for my signal. You'll know when I've gone.

 

Turning the phone off, she shoved it inside Jake's nightstand and turned back to Steve, who was waiting for an explanation.

 

"Hanson's idea of a lovely farewell message," She said as she brushed passed him and dropped to her knees in front of her closet, pulling the heavy bag in the bottom to her and taking out the can of lighter fluid. She should have bought more, but she knew there were flammable liquids inside what she planned to burn. Holding it up to a confused Steve, she went on, "I told him to watch for my signal. He will see it from his nest. The whole town will."

 

"I thought you were kidding when you said you'd raze the town, fuck sake, Manon. This is arson."

 

"No, it's what this place needs. You're either with me, or you're not. Make up your mind, Steve. I'm going one way or another." She pushed, annoyed at his reluctance, and now the stakes were much too high; she could not let herself feel anything but confidence as she slowly slid into that killing calm.

 

"Fine. But I am not going to jail for you. This goes to shit; you're on your own." He warned, and she chuckled.

 

"I always have been, in a way. Come on. Go eat dinner with the others. Let them think we're following the plan."

 

Steve agreed and left her to her own devices, which never ended well, but it was all she had as she went over the plan repeatedly. She was risking her sanity and life, but that didn't scare her. What did was the idea of leaving Jake to rot and never knowing for sure if he lived. Her dad's trusty lighter was in her jacket pocket. The knives he'd gifted her all those years ago were out of their box and waiting to be shoved up her sleeve. She would be wearing a small armory once the guns went on, a one-woman army ready to set this shit town to rights and take Jake back while she was at it. The gloves were off. It was time to take this battle underground and give up on the idea of surrendering to her better nature. Her mind slowly began to wink out all the parts that cared, loved, and felt remorse. Her dads' mantra raced through her head as she changed her clothes and eyed the room.

 

Take the fear. Make it yours. Forge it into a weapon you can wield. You are its master.

 

She thought Jake's touch was everywhere, a promise that he would always come home. She would cling to that while becoming the monster she needed to be to defeat the one masquerading as a legend. To capture a predator, she had to become one better than him in every way. And it was like she'd slipped on an old skin she had long ago discarded and forgotten as determination and strength settled within her. The daggers on her bed twinkled like jewels under the light. Soon, blood would coat those beloved blades, and she hoped her dad would be proud. She was what he made her, and she had run from it for too long. Now she was ready to do the chasing.

 

 

*****

 

 

Once everyone had gone to bed and she was sure they were asleep, Manon and Steve left the cabin, and they took his SUV instead of her little car as they drove into Duskwood. It was after midnight. The road was empty as they passed the cheery sign welcoming them into town, and she told him to go to the motel. Luck was at last on their side as they passed no one on the way there. The streets were bare of life, and she guessed the residents of the town had given up pretending all was okay and had locked themselves inside now Hanson had gotten reckless. They parked across the street, and her heart was steady as she turned to him.

 

"Wait here. I won't be long." She said.

 

"This is a bad idea, Manon, but I'll wait. Hurry."

 

She nodded, opened her door, and jumped down. Her arms were heavy with steel, and the guns at her hips weighed her down as she walked that lonely path to the Dare House. No monsters awaited her, but the forest held its breath as she passed. As her light steps followed that trail, no animal or insect made a sound, like they understood an apex predator was in their midst. The can of lighter fluid dangled from her fingers as she strolled through, ears and eyes sharp in case anyone followed, but like before, she knew she was alone, and the final act was ready to play. When the monstrosity that was Duskwoods haunted house appeared through the darkness, she smiled grimly and jogged up the path. Opening the door, the hinges were silent as she walked inside, opened the can of fluid, and began spraying it on the wooden walls. She moved fast and was back outside in minutes, using the last of it to douse the door and panels surrounding it.

 

Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out the old silver Zippo. It was engraved with her dad's initials, and she whispered, "Hope you're watching, Magnus." Before she flicked the flint wheel, the sound of it was powerful in that haunted forest, and she stared at the tiny eternal flame for a long moment, understanding that her entire life had brought her here, and it was up to her to fix it.

 

She took a few steps back before she tossed the lighter at the small pool of lighter fluid near the door and closed her eyes against the wash of heat as it ignited her invisible trail. The fire quickly took hold of the ancient wooden structure, so dry after days of sunshine it was almost unreal how fast it went up. Stumbling back as thick, acrid smoke uncurled its sinister fingers to reach for her, the heat made sweat bead on her forehead, and she watched in awed silence as it consumed the great building. It was horrifically beautiful the way the fire seemed to breathe and grow as it swallowed the house whole. As the flames licked the stars, she stared at the sky. So scarlet, like red wine, had been spilled across the great expanse and turned the world maroon. Or maybe it was a dark omen that knew of her plans to end a life and wanted to warn her off. Either way, the end was nigh and always in blood.

 

Turning her back as the house began to creak and groan, the roof roaring its fury as it collapsed in on itself, she hauled ass out of the forest and vaulted back inside Steve's car as he held the door open for her. Ignoring his look of utter terror, she looked over to see her handiwork and smirked. It would be visible to the entire town and beyond, and Hanson would take it as her surrender. It was her fiery beacon of war, and it had been a long time coming. She and Steve didn't speak as they raced away from the scene of the crime, and she could see the fire in her mirror no matter what turn he took. It would work, she felt it in her bones, and fear was so far from her then that she felt she could have flown to Hanson if she put her mind to it.

 

They had stolen her soul when they'd abducted Jake. Sold their own to the devil in the process and thought she'd be too scared to risk her lover. They didn't know she and the devil still danced in the darkness together. The melody had never ended, and neither had their waltz. Oh, she knew the devil well and knew how to put fear in him. Hanson was a mere ghost story compared to him. He'd picked the wrong woman to cross. And now she was coming to take Jake back. Only one monster would leave that church alive. There wasn't enough room for two of them in this town.

 

 

 

Jake

 

He knew he hadn't been down there for more than a day, but time moved differently when rats and mice, bugs, and spiders crawled all over his bound body, and he couldn't do anything but blindly flail to get them off. The lump at the back of his head was wet and tender; he couldn't turn his head fully without it twinging. His nose had been itching incessantly since he'd woken in this cursed place, but it was becoming easier to ignore even if his nose did still vainly twitch. The darkness was so complete he couldn't see a thing and had almost screamed when Richy stirred and mumbled hello. The man's voice had been weak and laced with unnatural fatigue. It had taken some time before the drugs wore off enough that he could speak easily. Jake's mouth was still taped, he could only grunt or groan his replies, but Richy seemed glad of the company. He still tried to make a joke of it all as they lay there, awaiting their fates, but he could hear the despair in his tone, the hopelessness that rescue was not coming now he was there too.

 

Neither he nor Richy expected the door above to open again and fell silent as the creak of it reached them. The thud as it slammed on the floor above made his heart race, and he braced himself as someone ran down the stairs. The stagnant air was disturbed, and it reeked of sweat, piss, and rotten food that he could hear the rats devouring even now. Another set of feet came down once the first crunched on the gravel and debris under the church, and he lay very still as someone tugged at the rope binding his feet. Once it slackened, he kicked out blindly, smirking against the tape as a man gave a cry of pain, and he recognized it as Paul's. Richy was quiet as a mouse as his father grabbed Jake's ankles, and Hanson's slippery voice floated over to him.

 

"Don't even try it. Do as you're told, or I'll end you here and now."

 

Jake scowled despite them not being able to see but didn't try to kick Paul again as he let go of his ankles. His breathing grew shallow as two sets of hands gripped his upper arms and hauled him to his feet. He was a good bit taller and bigger than them. In a fair fight, he would have returned to the car with bloodied knuckles and waited for Steve. But they'd had weapons, and he had to surrender to his capture. They roughly guided him to the stairs, his hands still tied as they shoved him, and he took a stumbling step up. It was painfully slow going. He kept tripping and received a hard push in the back each time he faltered, but too soon, he crested the top and found himself back behind the altar. Paul and Michael followed him out, and he spied the knife in Paul's hand. It looked familiar, but his attention instantly snapped to Hanson as he squared up to him and ordered him to kneel.

 

Doing as bid, he dropped to his knees, wincing as they cracked off the warped wooden floor, and hated every moment of it. His mind flashed between the church and those weeks in that shipping container. Every moment of that had been preparation for now, and he would not bend no matter what they tried. Hanson seemed inclined to just smirk at him as he reached out and snatched the tape from his mouth. He refused to give them a reaction in spite of the fiery stinging licking across his skin. Some of his inner defiance must have shown in his eyes as Hanson's face twisted into a mask of vile spite, and he could do nothing as his fist came for his jaw. The blow wasn't weak. His teeth clacked together as his head whipped around with the force of it. Pain bloomed across his jaw, and he gritted his teeth against it as Hanson laughed in delight.

 

"Your bitch has left. Bet that stings." Hanson said and punched him again. Jake bit down on his shocked shout as his lip split and blood leaked into his sore mouth. The iron-rich, almost buttery taste of it soaked his tongue and fed into the anger he kept locked away, always terrified he'd hurt those he loved if he let it loose. But all he did was smile, wide and savage, as Hanson's eyes narrowed. He hit him again. The ache blended with that in the back of his head, but he let it steady him. Let it fuel him for when he got a chance at retribution. Jake still only smiled, spitting blood through his teeth as Hanson grew more demented. The man was spitting mad. Still, Paul only observed from behind his master. The blade he carried had vanished at some point, and he looked away each time Hanson smacked Jake.

 

Jake laughed then, the sound so full of dark delight, Hanson took a step back. He was watching Jake like something was wrong with him before he gave himself a shake and advanced. Hanson gripped his bruised jaw, snarling in his face, and Jake couldn't stop laughing. It bubbled up and out of him, spilling free like an overflowing sink as Michael sneered. Paul watched with a blank expression, but his eyes kept sticking to Jake's.

 

"What's so funny? She's left you here to die. No one will save you now."

 

Jake grinned. He knew, felt it in his heart, that Manon was anything but gone. Whatever information they had was wrong, and he couldn't wait for it to play out. His laugh was overloud in the eerie church. A distinct note of pride was evident in it. He was barely able to speak through his inconvenient humor. The blood coating his teeth made it a gruesome spectacle as he chuckled and crooned.

 

"You're all dead. You should have run. You're all fucking dead."

 

The last thing he saw was Hanson’s screwed up face, his fist coming straight for his head and Jake’s black laugh followed him into unconsciousness. 

Notes:

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed it.
I truly do hope it was good despite the ending.

Do you know how exciting it was to write Jake's words at the end?! They’ve been in the drafts since May 2022. Ah! Manon is coming, and he knows. The showdown is about to begin! Next chapter. I’m dying for it.

Anyway, as you can see, the chapter amount has risen again. There are two more chapters left after this. Then the epilogue. The next chapter and the epilogue are already mostly written. They just need a lot of editing and shit! So the next chapter won’t be long in coming. See you very soon!

Chapter 35: I hunt for you with bloodied feet across the hallowed ground

Summary:

Oh, my! Pandemonium, it’s showtime!

Yes, that is an NF lyric, but I’m too nervous and emotional to come up with anything else.

Oh, and please read the authors note at the start before you read! It explains something about the POVs for the chapter.

Notes:

Thank you for your support, I truly appreciate it. You’ve no idea how often I’ve been close to giving up on this and a comment or kudos helped me to keep going. So thank you!

This jumps between Manon's and Jake's PoV. But it isn't as clearly marked as I normally do. I have italicised and underlined their names to indicate whose head you're in. Its always at the beginning of a paragraph.

If it's too confusing, let me know and I'll unpublish and rework it so it's simpler!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

35

Now there's no holding back

I'm aching to attack

My blood is singing with your voice

I want to pour it out

The saints can't help me now

The ropes have been unbound

I hunt for you with bloodied feet across the hallowed ground

 

Like some child, possessed

The beast howls in my veins

I want to find you

Tear out all your tenderness

 

And Howl, Howl

 

Be careful of the curse that falls on young lovers

Starts so soft and sweet

And turns them to hunters

A man who is pure of heart

And say's his prayers by night

May still become a wolf when the autumn moon is bright

 

If you could only see the beast you've made of me

I held it in

But now it seems you've set it running free

The saints can't help me now

The ropes have been unbound

 

I hunt for you with bloodied feet across the hallowed ground”

 

Howl – Florence + The Machine

********

 

 

war

Manon

 

The great pines hid them like robes as they left the car. They couldn’t drive up to the church without giving themselves away. They’d abandoned the car off the side of the unmarked road and would set off on foot. Manon eyed the forest, the road was narrow, and she looked down it like a gun’s barrel while Steve gloved up and made sure his guns were loaded. He had tried to convince her to turn back just before they’d reached this point, and she’d pointedly ignored him. Nothing could sway her now. Her fingers tingled, and the ache in her ribs faded with the rush of anticipation surging through her body as she wrapped her hands with the white bandages Steve had with him.

 

Heavy, threatening clouds had veiled the stars above, and it all felt very cinematic as she watched Steve give his car one last longing look before he came to her.

 

“Okay, we should be good from here. We need a plan, Manon.”

 

She snorted, flexed her hands, and began the trek to the church as she replied, “The plan is to get in, save Jake, kill Hanson, and wait for Chris to arrive.”

 

“That’s not a plan! How will you get inside?” Steve pressed.

 

 “What’s the point? Every plan fails. It’s a waste of time.” She ignored his outraged scoff and kept walking. Her dad had always told her to pick her battles and pick them well. She didn’t want to decide and wanted to pick them all.

 

Steve looked like to argue, but she hurried her steps, and his mouth snapped shut as he jogged to catch up with her. They traveled near silently over the carpet of pine needles, blanketing the earth, strong and steady, her heart was sure as she dodged low-hanging branches and protruding roots. Those evergreen hills seemed to roll on eternally as they traversed the soft peaks and valleys of the logging road. The church wasn’t far from where they’d left the car, and she focused on the feel of her wrapped hands, itching for a fight and ready to end this here and now. Tendrils of creeping mist reached out and snagged on their clothes as it slithered through the trees, and she couldn’t help but think she was in her very own horror movie.

 

Cold and indifferent, her emotions were behind fifty feet of glass as she glanced at her friend. He wore a stony, resolute expression that reminded her of all the nights she’d convinced him to sneak out with her to investigate some decrepit building she’d heard was haunted. They had fancied themselves ghost hunters, for a summer, and it was one of her fondest memories. The ghost she hunted tonight would bleed, the evidence would be all over her, and she could already feel it congealing between her fingers as the crooked spire of the church appeared amid the fog. The cross hung onto the roof for dear life, and she felt like a stiff gust of wind would send it toppling to the floor.

 

Enveloped in fog, the wooden structure dominated the clearing it rested on. Weather and fire beat, it was a testament to whoever built it, and her heart thudded as she stared at it, sure she could sense Jake inside. He could be anywhere in that building. It was immense in size. The main door she could see as she crouched behind a tree would be locked tight. Frustration and impatience led the charge as she surveyed the church, seeking a way inside that would give her the tactical advantage. Steve was quiet beside her, steady gaze locked straight ahead, and there was no sign of his earlier worries, only determination that made her smirk, satisfied.

 

“We need to lure one of them out. See how tight they’ve locked themselves in.” She murmured, and Steve nodded.

 

Reaching for the dagger strapped to her left arm, she blindly undid the clasp and slid the blade out; feeling its familiar weight and hilt in her hand, she eyed that door again and rose to her feet.

 

“Wait! Manon, no...” Steve hissed, but she was already gone.

 

Crouching low, she ran to another tree closer to the church, ducking behind to listen for anything that would signal they’d heard her. When her pulse was the only sound, she stepped out of the tree’s shadow and planted her feet. Flipping the dagger in her hand, she licked her finger and held it in the air, checking the breeze’s direction before she gripped it by the blade and lifted it over her shoulder. She took a deep breath, narrowing her eyes on her target, and she hoped she would see the knife again; she hated the thought of losing it there. She let the dagger fly and swung behind the tree again to watch it soar.

 

It went end over end. Time warped, slowed, and went still, returning to full speed so fast it was jarring. It hit the top of the church door with a solid thwack. And the shuddering metallic twang, as it vibrated with the force it pierced the door with, was almost funny in the deadly silence of the night. It was a few minutes before she heard running, stumbling stomps, and they unlocked the door. Paul peeked outside. Neither of them was visible to him then. She held her breath as he looked up. His gaze snapped straight to the trees she was hiding in.

 

“Shit. No,” she cursed under her breath. So silent it was barely a whisper of breeze over the shivering leaves.

 

Paul nodded once before shaking his head and going back inside. She prayed he was telling Hanson nothing had happened. If he were smart, he’d come up with an explanation. When the door remained shut after five very long minutes, she returned to Steve to tell him there wasn’t much in place to keep them out.

 

Jake startled as a loud wooden thunk filtered through the broken floorboards above their heads, and hope bloomed so brightly it ripped the wind from him as Richy whispered.

 

“What was that?”

 

Jake shrugged though the man couldn’t see, “I’m not sure.”

 

He would not jinx their luck by saying it out loud as thundering running steps shattered the tense silence. A few minutes passed at glacial speed before they heard Paul yelling.

 

“Just a bird. The stupid thing flew into the door.”

 

 Jake frowned. Uncertainty drowned out his hope as he and Richy settled back down. His face ached, and his split lip opened and bled each time he yawned. Nothing was broken, but the headache that had been present when he woke again was slowly eating away at his nerves. He was on edge, fingers curling and uncurling each time he remembered Hanson hitting him. A door slammed above, and they held their breath, but nobody came for them. 

 

Heaving a sigh, Jake glanced around the space. His eyes had long since adjusted to the lack of light, and he could see things better now. Half-drunk water bottles lined up like plastic soldiers near Richy’s pile of blankets. The water left inside looked cloudy. He guessed it was the sleeping pills Hanson had dosed Richy and Hannah with. His mouth was bone dry, but he wasn’t desperate enough yet to risk drinking some. Poor Richy was still feeling the effects of it. His voice was leaden with it even now. 

 

He’d taken a piss in the near-full metal bucket under a support beam earlier. Richy had turned away, gracefully trying to give him some privacy. Still, he’d suffered worse indignities while on the run and didn’t honestly care. It just enraged him, being kept like an animal underground and unable to help bring an end to the madness. His heart was still steady and true. He knew Manon was close, like a charge was in the air; he fancifully thought he could feel her out there. Watching. Seeking entrance into this hellhole to take back what was hers. He only hoped she wasn’t alone...

 

Manon glared at Steve as he finished reciting his madcap plan that would result in all of their deaths.

 

“That’s insanity. If we make any demands, he will kill them. He holds the power here.  He has the hostages. Negotiating won’t work. You can’t reason with crazy.” She snapped quietly, shaking her head as Steve frowned.

 

She knew he was desperate for a way to do this legally, but that chance had long since evaporated, and she had to fight with what she had left.

 

“I don’t see you coming up with a plan,” He muttered.

 

“I don’t need one. I work best on the fly.” She replied and unsheathed the dagger on her right arm.

 

Running her finger down the length of the steel blade, she smirked and rose from her crouch to study the landscape again. Over there, near the front of the church, a tree towered over the building, thick branches dangled low enough to grab if she walked under it. Nodding to herself, she sensed Steve behind her and turned to him with a grin.

 

“Stay here. If you hear three shots, that’s your signal to come in. Don’t get caught,” And she was off before he could grab her.

 

They said what the devil couldn’t do; he’d send a woman in to do it for him. And she knew it was true as she clenched the dagger between her teeth. She bent down to scoop up a handful of the small stones hidden amongst the tall grass, shoving them into her pocket as she picked up speed and aimed for a hefty branch. She took a running leap and grabbed a branch that brushed the roof’s edge. Biting down on the dagger, using the branch to swing her body up as her ribs complained, she twisted mid-air. Letting go of the branch, she flung herself onto the dilapidated roof of the church. She perched there, removed the knife from her mouth, and didn’t dare to breathe as she listened for any sign those inside had heard her.

 

When nothing happened, she rose from her crouch and carefully crept over to a hole big enough to see inside. Wood rot and charcoal decorated the warped surface, some of it was spongy under her boots, and she was quick to avoid it lest she fall through. Sticking her head through the hole, she couldn’t make much out. Chaos and disarray were clear in the ravaged building, untouched for years before these idiots had claimed it. She tutted, amused by their choice of venue as the devil herself perched on the roof of their salvation. Spying a larger hole, she crawled over to it, clutching the black and ragged edges to peer inside. Nothing. No one. Where the fuck were they? She ignored the frustration trying to put her off as she considered the drop to the floor below. It wasn’t a short distance, but it wasn’t so high that it would be deadly if she misjudged her landing.

 

Mind made up, Manon again held the dagger in her teeth as she lowered her legs into the hole. Devils might not be able to fly, but they could fall. Gripping the crumbling edges tight, she drew in a breath and steeled herself. For Jake, she lowered herself and hung there momentarily as she calculated the best way to fall. The wood under her fingers creaked and groaned. An insidious cracking sound thundered in the air as she swung her body slightly before letting go. Bending her knees, letting them absorb the impact as she landed with a teeth-rattling thud and rolled, diving behind an overturned pew as racing footsteps could be heard running toward her.

 

Her chest burned with the need to breathe as a door squealed open, and someone came to a sudden stop. Her heart was too loud. The furious beat of it could surely be heard in this potently quiet place. Crunching glass, the person’s stride had tempered to a casual stroll as it approached her hiding place. She clutched her knife, palming it as her prey halted before it reached her. Jolting when Paul’s voice spoke far too close.

 

“There’s nothing here, Michael. I already told you.”

 

A weighted pause, tension swirling so thick she could have cut through it before Hanson replied.

 

“And I already told you, I don’t trust you. Double check. Now.”

 

Paul sighed, feet shifting in the ash as he grumbled under his breath, and she was as still as a frozen lake when his boots appeared in her peripheral. Glancing up, meeting his shocked gaze, she grinned and pounced. Paul’s hands came up in surrender, but she swept out her leg, swiping his legs from under him. Before he’d fully hit the deck, she was on him. Straddling his waist, she used all her strength to hold him down. Her dagger cut into his throat, and blood welled over its silver edge as she snarled in his face.

 

“Where are they?”

 

Paul answered immediately, “Behind the altar, there’s a trapdoor. They’re down there.”

 

Smiling, pleased with the fear in his eyes, she pressed the knife in harder as she said, “That’s the first wise decision you’ve made, Paul.”

 

He frowned as she lifted the knife from his neck, but she didn’t allow him to ask any of the questions swimming in his eyes. She held tight to the dagger as she raised her fist and brought the hilt down hard on his head. Once, twice and again. Knocking him out. He almost looked grateful as his eyes rolled shut. Uncoiling to her feet, her chest felt a little looser as she aimed for the front door, hurriedly sliding the metal lock open before she ran over to the altar. She was bending to open the trapdoor when Hanson’s voice cut through the roar of blood in her ears.

 

“Paul?”

 

An invisible clock ticked down as she froze in place and huffed. Glaring at Paul, she shook her head and lifted the trapdoor a crack. Hanson started to shout, and she had to think fast as she heard him moving closer. He was belligerent and utterly lost to reality, and she had wanted to get Jake out before she killed him, but luck wasn’t on her side. Closing the door again, she scurried over to Paul, divesting him of his gun, emptying the cartridge onto the floor as the inside door screeched again. She had nowhere to run as she turned and faced Michael Hanson, wearing a grin so wicked he seemed stupefied by her presence.

 

“Hello, Michael. I hope I’m not too late. It was a real bitch to find this place.” She crooned too loudly, hoping Jake would hear and know she’d come for him soon.

 

Jake reacted as if someone had slapped him as he recognized her voice’s taunting, provocative tone. A savage grin ripped his lip open again. Still, the blood tasted sweet as his love provoked the madman responsible for their predicament. They’d heard the racket as someone fell to the floor and had held their breath when the door above was lifted and dropped, then terrible silence until Manon spoke. Richy had gone still. Disbelief radiated from him as the two enemies battled with words overhead.

 

“You were warned, Manon. His life is forfeit now.”

 

A dark chuckle from Manon lifted the hair on his arms, and it reminded him of late nights in her bed when she would tease him into dominating her.

 

“Is it? Hmm. That would be a frightful shame,” He could picture her smirking and head shaking as she pretended to ponder Hanson’s statement; his heart slowed almost to a stop as she said, “Why don’t you take it out on the one you’re really upset with? Or are you only able to threaten me over the phone? Hiding behind that mask? I see why you chose to wear one. It’s a marked improvement on... all of that.”

 

Jake snorted, delighted and terrified for her, as he couldn’t help, could only listen.

 

“Is she insane?” Richy finally whispered, making Jake chuckle slightly.

 

“Probably, but you’ll be glad she is,” He said, and they fell quiet again as the floorboards creaked, and he thought they might be circling each other. He wished he could see her. He would have given his right leg to view that volley of insults.

 

“I want you to hurt. Death is a release you don’t deserve.” Hanson growled threateningly, but Manon scoffed.

 

Yeah, yeah, I’ve already heard that one. I think you’re too afraid.” Manon purred, nothing but confidence in her tone.

 

“Afraid? Of what? You’re just a mouse, little girl.”

 

Jake’s hackles lifted at the insult, but he knew Manon would take it and use it to fuel her. His smile was much too bright for his current setting as she proved him right.

 

“Enough with the tired insults and clichés. I’d like to make you an offer, Michael.”

 

Manon never let Hanson out of her line of sight as they circled each other, sniffing out his weaknesses as he retorted, “Fuck your offer. Once you’re dead, loverboy is next.”

 

She did not visibly react, but inside, a fire burned so hot she half expected smoke to pour from her mouth as she laughed.

 

“That suits me just fine.” She said and unholstered her gun, letting off three shots before Hanson could react. She bolted away as the gunshots ricocheted off the walls and the cacophony deafened her. Hanson dove to the floor, hand reaching into his pocket. She ran to a pillar, using it as a shield as Hanson shot at her. The wood groaned as the bullets pierced it. She eyed her own weapon, lip curling in distaste as she emptied it and tossed it aside, tightening her hand around her dagger as it slid away. A gun was too fast. She had to feel his life leaving him, or she’d never forgive herself. She chanced a peek around the pillar and eyed the distance to the altar. Steve would come soon to free Jake; she just had to keep Hanson busy long enough for him to do that.

 

Another shot. Gritting her teeth as the noise rattled through her skull, she clutched her dagger to her chest and blew out a tight breath as Hanson cursed and the metallic clang of him filling the gun cartridge reached her ears. Now or never. She launched herself away from and around the pillar. Taking two long strides as Hanson’s head snapped up, and he bared his teeth at her. She sliced her knife over his hand and delighted in his hiss of pain as blood flowed free and his hand spasmed. The gun fell to the floor, and his face whitened further. Grinning, she advanced, pushing him back and away from the altar. Her heart fluttered as she heard the main door opening, but she could not give in to relief. As Hanson’s face morphed into a mask of pure hatred and spite, she threw her dagger away.

 

“We’ll settle this like men, Hanson. Hand to hand, winner lives.”

 

Her tormentor trembled with rage as Steve could be heard running through the cavernous room, and she smiled slowly as sanity fled and Michael let his anger rule him. His fist came for her head. She ducked, using her elbow to block it. Gritting her teeth as her bones absorbed the impact, she popped up and attacked with a flurry of sharp punches. He managed to block a few but stumbled back, hitting the wall. It only seemed to enrage him more as he roared and approached her. She let him take her to the mat as the loud slam of the trapdoor cut through their panting.

 

On her back, Hanson on top of her, she went limp as his hands wrapped around her throat. Her body fought itself, trying to tense up as he choked her, but she knew if she did, all was lost. Spittle flew from his lips to mark her face as he leaned close to taunt her.

 

“Did you really think you could win against me?”

 

Manon sucked in air as he loosened his hold to allow her to reply. Licking her lips, unable to stop the serpentine smirk as she spat, “Fuck you.” And bucked, flailing under him as he tried to get a better hold of her neck again.

 

He growled at her to stay still, his sweaty, bloody hands slipping with every wild movement. Letting out a roar, she grabbed his shoulders and shoved him up with all her might. Rage, adrenaline, and a lifetime of her dad’s lessons coalesced in her mind and body, giving her the advantage as Hanson toppled off her, and she sprang to her feet. Voices she recognized muttered behind her, but she could not risk a look as Hanson stood straight and clenched his fists. Manon thought perhaps she’d spend her time tasting the copper of blood and washing off the gore as Hanson threw a punch she wasn’t fast enough to evade.

 

Jake jolted as Hanon’s fist connected with Manon’s temple. She spun away, popping back to her feet and clenching her jaw. Fire in her eyes as she resumed an offensive stance. She moved so fast he couldn’t track it as she landed a right hook on Michael’s chin. Her other hand smacked into the man’s gut and sent him stumbling back. Steve had gone back down below, helping Richy climb those dangerous stairs. His legs were weak after so long spent drugged and asleep. Jake was paralyzed from helping and couldn’t tear his eyes away from the scene before him.

 

Hanson was sweating, panting hard. His movements seemed to slow as he and Manon sprang apart and circled each other again. Age was not on Michael’s side. Manon didn’t look like a fighter, which was his greatest mistake. Paul still lay prone on the floor, and Hanson never once checked on his partner as Manon dropped low and aimed a blow at his groin. She missed. Hanson scarpered away and drew close to the altar. Jake called to Steve and Richy as their heads popped out of the hole.

 

“Stay down there. He’s too close!”

 

Steve and Richy vanished, and Jake blew a harsh breath. He moved the next time Hanson’s punch connected with Manon’s face. Jumping down from the altar, he went running for her, but she whirled away from Hanson.

 

“No! Stand down! He’s mine.” She barked, her lip was bleeding, and he nodded, but she didn’t see as she turned back to the man frothing at the mouth to kill her. Pride filled his chest at the sight of her but his distraction cost her. Hanson’s fist slammed into the side of her head, and Manon went sprawling. She was instantly back on her feet, nimble as a cat dodging Hanson’s attempts to knock her out. All the blood in his body went to his groin as she threw a punch that broke Hanson’s nose. Blood sprayed her face as she bounced on her toes, her white ponytail whipping the air as she moved. She was a violent, beautiful little monster.

 

He felt useless as the battle raged on, and he could only stand as a witness to it. Though he had known she’d been trained and taught to defend herself. He hadn’t seen it until now. And it was difficult to believe the woman currently knocking six shades of shit out of Michael Hanson was the same one who touched him so gently. She was love and violence, blood and peace all wrapped up in a deceivingly fragile body. Swift as an adder, she avoided Hanson’s backhanded slap and kicked him in the gut. The man went flying as she straightened and stalked over to survey her prey.

 

Manon smiled as Hanson fell. She chanced a look behind her. The state of Jake’s face made her go still. She hadn’t processed it when she’d yelled at him to stand down. There was such a roaring silence in her at the sight of the bruises and dried blood graffitied on his skin. All she could see was red, a burgundy smoke clouding her eyes as she turned in a slow circle.

 

Watching Hanson scramble to his feet, her snarl was something to behold if his step back was anything to go by. The killing calm spread through her like hoarfrost. Crackling in her veins as she stared him down. Weak, watery sunlight glimmered through the holes in the ceiling as she prowled to Hanson. He had enough sanity left to look uncertain for a second before his face returned to its usual horrendously hateful mask. She would kill him. Take him apart. Piece by fucking piece and make him bleed for harming what was hers.

 

“Did you really think you would get away with this? That I would allow you to live after all you’ve done?” Manon demanded as Hanson’s face reddened.

 

“I had to! I had no choice! I had to do it for my little girl!” Michael yelled as blood dripped down Manon’s chin. Her split lip ached every time she moved her mouth, but she smiled at him. It drove him insane, and she refused to show an inch of fear.

 

“That’s not true, Michael. Maybe to start with. But not anymore.” She said, deadly quiet.

 

“You don’t know what you’re talking about. You haven’t had to watch as your daughter was forgotten! Her killer walking around town, living the life she should have had! You can’t imagine the pain I feel every day.”

 

Manon grinned, copper on her tongue and head shaking as she edged him nearer the wall. His eyes moved like they were on wheels as he searched for a way out of her sights. She gave him no quarter as she admonished him.

 

“You know nothing about what I’ve been through, Michael. I still chose to live instead of hate. Look at you. I think you got a taste for blood while you were off licking your wounds. Now nothing can sate it,” Manon sneered, looking down her nose at him, “You’ve become everything you hate. You won’t be remembered as the hero in this story.”

 

Michael snarled, the tendons in his neck popping as he gnashed his teeth, “And I suppose you think you will?”

 

Manon gave an irreverent chuckle and nodded, plucking at his rage to make him reckless. Hanson growled and charged for her. She braced herself as his shoulder hit her stomach, and she was lifted clean off her feet. Laughing through the pain, she clenched her teeth as he tossed her into a pillar. She arched as it pummeled her back and irritated her griping ribs further. Pain and rage were all she knew as she sucked in air and rose. Hanson’s eyes were filled with hate as he spat on the ground and attacked.

 

She darted back, avoiding each hit by the skin of her teeth. For her throat, her face, and her stomach, Hanson’s hands were a blur. Back and back, he pushed her, circling around the pillars and aiming low when she evaded him. It was a dance, a lethal performance, and the music was his blood scattering over the ash-ridden floor like ghoulish rubies.

 

Manon spun aside, but Hanson’s bleeding hand caught her face, knocking her off balance, and he took advantage. His fist slammed into her injured ribs. It was as if he’d hit her with a sledgehammer. The air screamed from her as the burning, consuming pain exploded over her torso. Doubled over and grinding her teeth as agony pulsed through her bones, she watched through watering eyes as Hanson bent to retrieve the dagger she’d thrown away and cursed blackly. Time to fight dirty. He lunged for her, swiping the blade at her gut as she arced back and danced away out of reach. She knew how deadly those blades were. They’d cut through skin and muscle like a hot knife through butter.

 

Using the pain to sharpen her senses and feed the fury, she could only evade and defend. Rolling aside when the blade got too close. Her ribs screamed and cracked with every sudden movement. She cursed Paul in her mind, hating that he’d made this harder for her. Backing away as Hanson came at her, she wasn’t paying attention to where she was going and gasped as her heels hit something fleshy and big. Going ass over elbow, she landed atop Paul’s unconscious body. Hanson chuckled as he slowly walked toward her.

 

She shuffled back, her feet kicking Paul’s belly as she cleared his body and panted. Her eyes were glued to Hanson, but a small movement of Paul’s hand distracted her. His finger kept twitching, pointing towards the pocket in his hoodie. Frowning, she reached inside as Hanson grinned and raised the hand holding her dagger. Her fingers wrapped around a body-warmed metal hilt, and surprised familiarity broke through the haze of red in her mind. She pulled it out and smirked at the dagger.

 

It was the one she’d flung and injured Paul with that day at Hanson’s house. She had missed its comforting weight and well-worn hilt molded to the shape of her hand. Hanson swiped at her face, missing by a millimeter as she sprang to her feet. Hanson hadn’t been trained in combat like she had. He couldn’t use the blade to its full potential. It was a lesson she was only too happy to teach him. Her first slash opened a weeping cut on his wrinkled face. The second missed his throat by an inch as he brought his dagger up in time to block it. Their steel blades sang their bloodthirsty song as they clashed together.

 

Growling, frustrated, she straightened and sidestepped his attempt to stab her in the chest. He had the sense to go low with his next swipe, but Manon was already there. Wrapping her hand clean around the blade, blood warmed her fingers as it sliced through the thick bandages and into her palm. The pain was biting. The sweat on her palm only heightened it as it stung and bled. She squeezed harder, hearing herself roar as she brutally twisted her wrist when Hanson’s hand trembled. He grimaced and cried out as his wrist snapped, a groan slipping from his mouth. The knife fell from his hand, his wrist hung at a disgustingly wrong angle, and he blinked at it dumbly. 

 

Blood leaked from her palm, trickling down her fingers to drip on the floor as she smirked at her nemesis.

 

“Surrender, and I’ll make it quick.” She said in a rough tone, throat raw and dry from the exertion.

 

Manon jumped forward and swung her bloody fist for his head, catching his chin and knocking him back against the wall. The pain in her palm and knuckles was nothing compared to the hate in her black soul for this sorry excuse of a man. Michael rebounded and aimed a vicious right hook at her face. She swerved and aimed low. Throwing her weight into it as she smashed her bloody palm into his sternum, knocking the wind out of him. He didn’t go down. He clutched his belly and kicked his leg out, catching her shin. She had to hand it to him. What he lacked in skill, he made up for it in pure spite. His hits weren’t well-practiced or smooth, but they were powerful when they landed. Her blood sang, loving that she finally had an opponent unafraid to hurt her.

 

She had fell into a crouch, hand on the ground, and head flung back in a snarl as she focused all her fury on the pathetic man before her. He was panting hard, sucking great gulps of air into his lungs as Manon gritted her teeth against the roasting pain in her shin. She’d have a hell of a bruise there tomorrow. And she fully planned to have another tomorrow. Jake’s face swam across her mind’s eye, his gaze a brand on her back. Her heart contracted as she thought of how much she loved him. How hard the two of them fought to find each other, they wouldn’t end this way. They deserved more than this.

 

Jake had just about chewed through his lip as Manon again got back up and faced Hanson. His gaze kept sticking to her bleeding hand. The cut was deep, vividly, and grotesquely bright against her pale skin, and when she curled it into a fist, blood seeped between her bruised knuckles. Dawn had broken as they’d fought, and his attention jerked to the window as the loud thrum of helicopters nearing the church made it through the shouts and grunts. The cavalry would arrive soon, and he knew Manon would never forgive herself if they got here before Hanson was dead.

 

He opened his mouth to tell her to end it, but Paul’s army crawling toward the pair distracted him. Manon was a blur of flashing steel and white hair as Paul edged closer, reached out, and grabbed Hanson’s ankle. Hanson tumbled to the floor. Manon cursed at Paul and ordered him out of the way. Richy appeared at his side soon after Manon yelled his dad’s name. He didn’t move to step in as Hanson turned his blade on Paul. Manon was primed to spring between them when Hanon plunged his dagger into his partner’s chest. Richy bellowed for his dad. Jake had to grab his collar to keep him from running. He banded his arms around the struggling man, holding firm when Paul shuddered and choked as Hanson pulled the blade free.

 

Steve stood in front of Richy, blocking his view as Manon hollered and flew at Hanson. Paul convulsed on the dirty floor, face paling as his blood spread its macabre wings beneath him. Jake tore his eyes away, swallowing a mouthful of bile as Richy trembled and sobbed for his dad. He was completely focused on Manon. The helicopters were louder now. Their rotors drowned out much of the deranged yelling Hanson was turning the air blue with. Manon’s head snapped to the sky as she finally heard them. He didn’t recognize the look on her face when she turned to him. A goddess of war, he thought stupidly. Blood splattered her fierce face like grisly freckles, and he had never wanted her more.

 

Manon knew she only had minutes left on the board. Chris would storm this place before she could claim her victory if she didn’t end this now. There was nothing she could do for Paul. His lips were turning blue, and his chest didn’t rise as often as his lifesblood drained from him. She cursed him bitterly, wishing he had stayed unconscious as Richy’s feral shouts blended with that of the racket outside as Chris’ team neared. Hanson was a poison, and she had to cut him out. She relaxed her stance into one of false casualness and approached the bloodied man. He quivered and shook as she tilted her head and appraised him. His eyes darted between her and Paul. No remorse, but an odd sheen was obvious in his depraved eyes as she crowded him into a corner. Grinning savagely, she kneed him in the groin.

 

Hanson doubled over, and the air left his lungs in a whoosh. Grabbing a handful of his hair, she dragged him up to look him in the eye as she pinned him to the wall. Her dagger cut into his throat as she said, “It’s over. Say hello for me when you get down there.”

 

“Tell him yourself.” Hanson rasped, eyes glinting in triumph.

 

Manon froze as the cold prickle of steel pierced her stomach. She glanced down, saw his dagger pressed against her front, and swore viciously. She had one chance—no room for error. Manon let out a scream so devastating she was sure it would shatter the world and drew her blade across his throat. Blood sprayed hot and thick against her face, Michael’s shocked gaze never leaving hers as his hands lifted reflexively and pummelled her shoulders. Searing, red-hot pain sparked down her arm, and an odd suck-and-pull sensation tugged at the skin in her shoulder as Hanson collapsed in a gurgling heap at her feet. His bloodstained dagger was still clutched in his clawed hand. 

 

Her ears rang, and a strange warmth soaked her arm as she straddled the dying man and helped him into the afterlife. She rained punch after punch down on his pathetic face. He didn’t deserve kindness or easy death. Her knuckles split and felt filled with fire as she ignored the pain, too lost in bloodlust to hear herself hollering and sobbing through her teeth. Hanson’s face was a mess of violence, his blood mixed with hers, and she couldn’t tell the difference as she hit him repeatedly. 

 

Her muscles burned, and every part of her ached in some way, but she couldn’t stop. He had caused so much pain and terror. She wanted him to know what that felt like as he choked on his own blood and struggled to draw air through his destroyed nose. Strong arms enveloped and hauled her off the dying man. She struggled, clawing and screeching, kicking at the person’s shins as she was dragged to another wall away from Hanson. Sense only returned once Jake’s strained voice in her ear tried to reassure her despite the hits he was taking.

 

“It’s me, Manon. Stop. You’re okay. He’s done. You did it. It’s over, sweetheart.”

 

Guilt, viscous and rancid, replaced her molten rage, and she slumped in his hold, realizing she was crying as Jake turned her around and brushed a hand over her face. When he let her go, Manon fell to her knees as the adrenaline still zipping through her veins left her feeling out of her mind. Ignoring Hanson’s dying breaths, she pressed a battered hand to her wound. Thankfully, he seemed to have missed anything important. The blood still flowed, slower now, but her head felt fuzzy and her vision was spotty as she sucked in air and tried to stand.

 

“Manon, no!” Jake blurted as she made to go to Paul.

 

Manon noticed Richy then. Steve tried comforting him, keeping him from his dad’s fast-cooling body, but Richy was inconsolable. Her heart didn’t have the space to bleed for his loss, she had no sympathy for the man, and all of this could’ve been avoided if Paul had used his head and called the police that fateful day Hanson had darkened his doorstep. Her heart rattled against its cracked cage, each heavy thump it made seemed to echo in her burning ribs, and she was leaning to the side to compensate for the mind-dulling ache spreading over her torso. 

 

The main door crashed open. Curt, loud voices yelled at them to stand down. As the FBI agents swarmed into the room, guns locked and loaded as they scanned the bloodied church, satisfaction bloomed bright and wild inside her. They had been too late to stop her. Her grin was wicked as they filled the room, and their black vests seemed to suck all the light out of it. They all halted at seeing her, the two bleeding bodies crumpled like broken dolls on the dusty floor, and slowly lowered their weapons as recognition filled their faces.

 

She realized stupidly that she must look a fright, like Carrie after her prom, and could do nothing as she took a wobbling step before Jake swept her into his arms and pulled strands of loose hair like webbing away from her sticky face. Those electric eyes searched her face, and she pressed her bloodied palm to his cheek, drawing him down to kiss him. He groaned low in his throat as she slid her tongue into his mouth, needing to taste him and convince herself he was okay, that it was finally over. He pulled away to look her over, and rage darkened his eyes when he noticed the stab wound.

 

“I’m okay. It’s not too deep. I’m here.” Her voice cracked, eyes stinging and blurring as Jake pressed his forehead to hers, not caring he was now covered in blood; her handprint marked the side of his face like some ghastly badge of survival. Manon barely noticed when Chris entered the room, and Jake didn’t spare a glance for him or anyone else as he removed her from the scene. Chris’ stoic facade faltered when he saw the state of her. She knew what memories were running through his head and smiled to assure him it wasn’t the same. His stiff nod as Jake took her outside let her know he expected a detailed explanation soon. But she didn’t have it in her to worry about it as he barked orders at his men, and she lost sight of them.

 

He refused to let her go when the medic rushed to them to treat her, insisting that he come with her as they were loaded into an air ambulance. Manon thought he might’ve told them he was her husband so they wouldn’t kick him out, and she stifled a giddy giggle at that. Knowing if she laughed now, he’d think she’d finally lost it. He looked positively feral as he watched the poor medics every move and was relieved when they gave her morphine. Had been biting her tongue to keep from crying out at the red-hot pain spearing her shoulder. She didn’t have the strength left to worry about where she was going, the memories it could unlock as they took off for the hospital. 

 

“You’re a very lucky woman, Mrs. Corvin. If he’d hit you an inch to the left, you’d have bled out in seconds.”

 

Jake growled in her ear and tightened his arms around her. She clutched at his jacket, not wanting to let him go either. Her wound was packed, and Jake was told to keep pressure on it until they arrived at the hospital. He took his job very seriously, and she again had the ridiculous urge to laugh.

 

“You’re hurt. I’m sorry you got hurt.” She croaked the next time he brushed his nose against hers. He pulled back to look into her eyes, clearly thinking she was stupid, and she was, the morphine was making her feel as though she were floating.

 

“Shh, never mind me. I’m sorry I didn’t listen, that you had to go through -“

 

Manon pressed her palm to his mouth. The last thing she wanted was for him to blame himself and apologize.

 

“Stop that. I’m alive. Hannah and Richy are safe. That’s all that matters.”

 

He looked murderous, ready to admonish her for thinking he cared about anyone but her at that moment, and she winced. The rage cleared at what he assumed was her discomfort, and she lifted a boneless arm to cup the back of his neck—digging her fingers into the hair at his nape and trying to pull him down to her. He gave a weak chuckle when he realized what she wanted and shook his head.

 

“Still a demanding little thing, I see.”

 

Then he was on her, and Manon was home at long last. He kissed her like he thought he had lost her and was only now realizing she was his for real. Devouring her with tongue and lips and teeth, and she could only match his every stroke. His sweetness mixed with the coppery tang of the blood on her lips was the most delectable thing she’d ever tasted. She moaned low in her throat, thankful the sound was smothered by his mouth, and he tightened his hold on her. She grew slick between her thighs and wished they were anywhere but where they were, but the medics flying them to the hospital were soon forgotten as she tried to climb inside his mouth.

 

He nipped at her bottom lip, and she pressed her thighs together, the ache growing to a burn, and her mind skipped ahead of time when they could be alone. When he could fuck her so hard she was begging him to stop, his name the only word she remembered, and her wetness and his seed slid down her thighs. The thought was so enticing she whimpered and whined in his mouth. Jake pulled back, breathing hard as his eyes searched her flushed face.

 

“What were you thinking about?” He asked and she knew he was partly asking to keep her mind off of where they were going.

 

She smiled lazily and decided to give him a taste of her private thoughts, to tide them both over until they were home and could act on it.

 

“Just about when we’re finally alone, and you can fuck me until I forget my name and can only say yours. When we’re safe to taste, bite, and claw at each other all through the night…I can’t wait for it.”

 

She choked back a laugh as he froze, the hard, thick length of him under her ass jumped at her bold words, and he seemed to stop breathing for a moment. Then he blinked, and she froze as the black fire of lust swallowed the blue whole, and he leaned down to nip at her lips, plundering her mouth for a dizzying moment before whispering into her ear.

 

“Later then, Manon.”

 

Manon shuddered against him, his black promise kindling to the fire between her thighs, and she was desperate for him to touch her. She was about to beg him to do just that when they finally began to descend, and the drug in her system made everything feel as if it were happening to someone else. They ushered Jake to hurry and carry her inside when he refused to let her go. As the edges of her vision darkened and her limbs felt like they were filled with helium, Manon gave into the morphine and let it carry her into mindless bliss. Her eyes fluttered shut, and the last thing she remembered was Jake’s loving gaze as he watched her and brought her under the hospital’s bright lights.

 

Jake  paced holes in the carpet of the hospital waiting room as he waited for news. Manon had been wheeled away, her wounds needed stitches, and there had been talk of a blood transfusion that made his anxiety spike so high he almost passed out. Hours. He’d been there, slowly going insane as patience fled. He considered breaking down the door to demand an update when Steve burst into the room. His usual easygoing expression had been replaced by a frantic panic he knew all too well. The man’s face was bruised, and he cocked a questioning brow as Manon’s friend fell into a chair and sighed at the mottled ceiling.

 

“Manon, after you were taken... she wasn’t happy. Let’s leave it at that.” The man explained, and Jake felt for him. It was his fault Manon had reacted as such, and he knew once all settled down, she’d be wracked with guilt.

 

Following Steve’s lead, he sat down in a chair opposite him; the hard cold plastic dug into his aching back, but he didn’t have the energy to get back on his feet. He’d already spent a freezing half hour in the men’s toilets, washing off the blood on his face and hands as best he could with their cold water and soap. The rough paper towels he’d scrubbed his face with had felt more like sandpaper on his sore, bruised skin. More time passed sluggishly; his knee bounced rapidly as he bit at his nails and ignored Steve’s soft snoring. It felt like days had passed when a nurse peeked around the door and called his name.

 

“Jacob? Your wife is sedated, but you can visit her now.” Her kindly face smiled as he loosed a breath and rose to his feet, his hands were clammy as he followed her.

 

He was taken to a private room. It was much better than the room Hannah had been in. Still, the bleak walls and bedding, the clinical scent, and the monstrous look of all the machines turned his stomach. She would hate this. She would not be happy if she woke up surrounded by nothing but reminders of her past. Jake didn’t think as he leaned over her sleeping form and pressed a kiss to her forehead. It frightened him, seeing her so small and tired. The hurricane he’d witnessed killing Hanson seemed like another woman to him then. He whispered a promise to return soon before leaving to go do some shopping.

 

Hours later, armed with enough bouquets that the florist would be flush with cash for years, he made his way back to Manon’s room. Passing Steve on his way to get coffee, the man chuckled at Jake’s burden and shook his head. Jake pushed on and breathed a sigh of relief when he entered the room, and Manon still slept. He snagged the attention of a nurse passing by the open door and crossed his fingers the hospital wouldn’t mind.

 

“You wouldn’t happen to have vases or something to put these in? I don’t want her waking up to... that,” He said, waving his hand at the stark white walls.

 

The nurse’s gaze softened upon seeing the stacks of fresh flowers already filling the room with their gentle scent, “Of course, I’ll send Myra down with some. She’s a lucky woman,” She smiled at him, and his cheeks reddened at the compliment.

 

“I think it’s the other way around, but thank you.” He murmured as the woman left and he began organizing everything he’d bought to make the room less terrible.

 

Myra arrived with a cart of plastic vases and large soup containers that could act as one for the rest. She helped him set each bouquet in a container, and soon, they decorated the sparse space. His eyes ran over the pink blooms, their delicate scent was sweet and lovely, so at odds with what he’d seen her do, but she’d said they were her favorite. Once he tucked the stuffed penguin in beside her, similar to that she’d won for him at the fair, he settled in for a long night as Manon slept. He didn’t expect sleep to be possible, but the stress and horror had finally caught up to him.

 

 

 

 

  Manon

 

 

Four days. For four fucking days, they kept her prisoner in that damned hospital, and she despised being treated like she was incapable of doing anything for herself. She had lost enough blood that they were worried and decided to keep an eye on her due to her history. Her stitches pulled and hurt with every movement, but she put on a brave face for Jake. When she’d woken in that room, the sugar-soft perfume of peonies filling her nose had eased her racing heart as her mind remembered where she was. Her fingers quivered as she glanced around the room at the many flowers surrounding her bed. A stuffed toy was snuggled under the blanket with her, and a tear tracked down her cheek as her gaze landed on Jake, asleep and half-sprawled across her bed as he clutched her hand.

 

She knew he was responsible for the flowers. Something that still ached inside her healed at the knowledge, and her heart soon settled into a calm rhythm. Unable to talk, her throat torn and dry as ash thanks to the morphine, all she could do was squeeze his hand in their silent code. He had instantly sat up, blinking rapidly as his dull sapphire eyes settled on hers and instantly brightened at seeing she was awake. A flicker of that familiar love flashed in his gaze as he smiled softly and breathed her name. They were alone for a blissful hour, whispering between themselves and always touching, afraid to let each other go. Soon her world became a revolving door of official and unofficial visitors.

 

Chris had come first, demanding Jake left them alone so he could take her statement. He had protested, essentially challenging her boss to a fight he was so outraged. She had managed to soothe him and convince him she felt fine enough to get it over with. He had glared at Chris, kissed her, and left to find something she could eat. By the time she was done, she wanted to sleep for a week and dreaded having to do it again. She knew she had to give an official report, and Chris would return with more questions once she was back at full strength. His muttering about the media catching hold of the story made her chuckle. It was par for the course. Journalists were tragedy vultures and could sniff a story out like a bloodhound.

 

Her friends had all either called her or visited, except for Richy. He was being kept in for observation until the drugs were out of his system. She had heard they had to sedate him as he couldn’t calm down and lashed out at nurses trying to help him while screaming for his dad. Sorrow had filled her heart at that, and she wouldn’t blame him if he never spoke to her again. Thomas barely left Hannah’s side, but he had messaged to thank her and wish her well. Time would tell how close they all remained. Or maybe their shared trauma and bad memories would tear them apart. The only thing seeing her through those four days was the knowledge her house was now empty. She and Jake would have it all to themselves as Steve had holed up in the motel to help Chris in town.

 

She was finally home and had spent much of the evening being pampered and looked after. Jake having to wash the blood and dirt from her hair, had chafed at her pride. His careful hands as they scrubbed her body and rinsed her off had been a thrilling and frustrating experience. He had steadfastly refused to touch her more than necessary, and she was growing tired of his hesitance as he’d helped her dry off and wriggle into one of his shirts. She had put her own underwear on, snapping at him when he attempted to give her a hand. He smirked, backed away with his hands up, and didn’t say a word when she almost toppled over when she moved her shoulder the wrong way.

 

Now they were downstairs, where Jake had built her a cushion and blanket fort on the couch. He had queued the TV with episodes of the Kardashians and Ghost Adventures, making sure she wasn’t in pain as she lay on the couch before joining her. She knew he wasn’t doing anything to annoy her purposefully, but she was still aggravated by how cautious he was with her. Like he thought grabbing her or squeezing her would snap her in half. Her mind still swirled with all the things she missed him doing to her. The craving for skin-to-skin contact spiraled through her, becoming impossible to ignore.

 

Ultimately, her lusty imaginings in the air ambulance were far beyond what either of them was capable of. Cocooned in Jake and fluffy blankets, she wriggled closer into the cradle of his hips and smiled softly as he drew stars into the skin of her stomach. He kissed her neck every few moments, a small sigh each time as if he was checking she still lived, and she wanted to prove to him she was fine. Knew he wouldn’t believe it from her mouth, but he’d feel it if he let her have her way. When his hand grazed the band of her underwear, she covered it with her own and settled his over her fiercely beating heart. Steady and strong, she heard his breath catch before he swallowed thickly.

 

“I could have lost you. Manon, I can’t – I can’t stop seeing you in that hospital bed.” He said it so quietly, the words jagged and bleeding as she struggled not to cry.

 

“I know. But you didn’t. We’re home now. I’m not going anywhere.” She swore, squeezing his hand and turning to catch his eye.

 

Those midnight eyes roiled and churned like a storm at sea, and she felt like she was drowning when he kissed her. Gentle like the flutter of a butterflies wings, his lips remapped hers, searching for entry, and she let him in. Lush victory was on his tongue as it tangled with hers. His hands were like a phantom touch as they slowly moved over her chest, and her nipples hardened, rubbing against her shirt as she turned her head to deepen the awkward kiss. He was so careful with her. Barely daring to touch her as she pushed in close, urging him to kiss her harder. A moment of delicious pressure as he reflexively pressed in, and heat sparked to life in her core before it was snuffed by his pulling back.

 

“I want nothing more than to fuck you, but I don’t want to hurt you, Manon.” He breathed, terror in his eyes, and she bit back a sigh.

 

She saw the battle in his eyes. Lust and concern warring in those azure depths, she wanted to remind them that they lived and breathed. She didn’t want to waste a second more without feeling him inside her. Nodding, she changed tactics and lifted her hand to cup his bruised jaw, drawing him back down for a kiss so tender her eyes stung behind her closed lids. If he was surprised at her lack of rebuttal to his statement, he never let on as he followed her lead. She broke the kiss after a while, settling back down to watch her show and let Jake think she’d given up. Staring at the TV, not taking a single scene in, she fought not to hold her breath when his fingers resumed gilding patterns into her hip.

 

It was driving her mad. Heat and want quickly built as his hand slipped to her stomach, moving lazily as she bit her lip. Every inch of her was on high alert, and when he traced the edge of her underwear again, a trickle of liquid heat soaked the lace between her thighs. She sucked in a breath, her heart rate already climbing as she covered his hand with her bandaged one and pulled it between her legs, leaving it there as she held her breath. He groaned into her nape, fingers dancing over the damp lace, and she knew he’d feel the heat rising to suffocating levels in her body. She smirked when his roughened voice whispered in her ear.

 

“You’re going to be the death of me, sweetheart.”

 

Oh, fuck, sweetheart. She couldn’t hide her smirk of triumph at the nickname. Typically only ever said while he fucked her. She replied, “If you don’t give me what I want, you’re going to kill me.”

 

Jake chuckled, thumb pressing her clit over the flimsy fabric, “You’re injured -“he started, but she wouldn’t hear it.

 

“Injured. Not dead. I need you, Jake. Don’t make me beg.”

 

His cock was stirring to life behind her, hardening so quickly she knew he’d been as desperate as her to celebrate their survival. She choked down a moan as he bit her neck, scraping his teeth down the column of her throat. Eyes slamming shut, wetness pooling thick and fast, she waited him out and didn’t push him. He had to choose her. A wash of his breath down her neck, his fingers shoved her underwear aside, and her grin fell open as he slid two fingers inside her. His mouth was at her ear, nipping her earlobe, and the dark words he poured into her melted her mind into a puddle of lust.

 

“You can never just do as you’re told, can you?”

 

She shook her head, gasping as he moved his fingers in and out, taunting her slick walls and ignoring her clit as her hips followed his hand. He chuckled darkly, watching her.

 

“I should stop. Teach you a lesson. You might actually learn it this way,” he teased, making her thrash her head desperately. If he stopped, she would finally snap and spend her life lost in insanity. But as he added a third finger in her cunt, she understood he was just plucking at the strands of tension in her mind. Trying to make her needy and vocal before he gave her what she wanted.

 

He sucked and bit her skin as his hand moved within her taut heat, speaking again when she whimpered, “But I want you too badly to see if that would work tonight. I need you healed before we can try that.”

 

A whine of pure distress left her at that. The smoky promise of his harsh treatment heightened her desire, and his hand was soaked with her essence as he removed his fingers from her body. His cock jumped against her ass, rigid and thick. She needed it to fill her up and banish the memories of the last few days. He sensed her need, the urgency riding her as she felt him tug down his boxers and grip her thigh. Her leg was drawn back carefully, and she hooked her foot around his thigh as he let go and lined himself up with her entrance. Tensing herself, needing it to burn, she panted as he slowly filled her, and his body was coiled tight as her cunt gripped and held his cock close.

 

Both were breathing heavily and much too tense when he was seated to the hilt as she ignored the slow burning ache in her ribs and shoulder. He blew out a breath, ruffling her hair, and his hand slid around to her hip, tugging her backward and changing the angle just enough to tantalize her. Rocking her hips, smiling as his nails cut into her skin, she sighed happily as tiny sparks of pleasure burst through her. Like this, she could control the pace and draw it out for an age until she was a writhing, sticky mess, and he had to take control to finish it. She could be held close while she disintegrated. She decided to play him at his own game as he began to move, circling his hips to soften and open her up. Grabbing his hand at her hip, she clutched it hard so he stopped his quick, shallow thrusts.

 

“Go slow. I want you to tease me with it. Make me yours again.”

 

Jake gave a strangled sound that made her smile as he followed her unusual request. She didn’t want him to start treating her gently and softly in bed. She still wanted to hurt, but neither was capable of it yet, and she knew this would be just as devastating as when he fucked her beautifully and brutally. He slid his leg between hers, aligning them perfectly before backing off, slow, shallow movements that made her sigh in satisfaction. His lips were on her neck, his hand flat against her stomach to draw her back onto his cock, and he was in deep, grinding until she keened and shook. 

 

Like always, it was too good. Too much and not enough all at once. His hands soon mapped her breasts over her shirt, fingers plucking and rolling her nipples as she gasped, his mouth at her ear whispering sweet nothings that made little sense to her; she was so focused on the feel of him stretching her cunt. She rolled her hips to take him even deeper, the delicious friction in her taut, slippery walls making her moans turn sharp and loud, nerves prickling every inch of her skin. A hot flush spread up her chest and face, sweat beading as it swept through her. Flame licked up her torso as his hand fell between her split thighs and gathered her wetness before circling that swollen bundle of nerves, making her moans turn to savage cries as he grinned into her shoulder.

 

“I missed seeing you like this, Manon,” he murmured. Her heart twisted despite the pleasure shooting through her veins, understanding him at once as he said, “I love you like this and all other ways. I want you to look like this every day, desperate and needy, demanding. I need it more than I need air to breathe.”

 

She could only babble in response, and he chuckled, gradually pushing her onto her front as he withdrew from her cunt completely and thrust back inside her with a snap of his hips that made her cry out in relief. Her fingers curled into the blankets as she tried to hold on. She buried her face in the pillows and growled like an animal at the pain and pleasure of being invaded so thoroughly. The lunge of his hips as he drove her down into the couch, his hand slipping under her and dipping into her flooding wetness to find her clit and rub it furiously, all served to send her reeling. Heat and nerves flared under her skin as he fucked her. Her throaty cries echoing in the room, his harsh groans, and muttered praise were a symphony she had feared she would never again experience. How glad she was to be wrong for a change.

 

Her body tensed and jerked all too soon, flailing under him as he pushed her to the edge of climax. The pain in her shoulder grew scalding, but she didn’t care as she let go. Her inner walls hugged his cock tightly and dragged a ragged moan from his chest as her orgasm rose like waves of flame and ripped the air from her lungs as she shouted in warning. So consuming, her blood turned to fire in her veins as she convulsed and quivered, his name a prayer and a plea on her lips as he did not slow. He fucked her through the exquisite agony, drawing it out so long she couldn’t stand it. She lifted her head, screaming so loudly that she was grateful they were in the middle of the forest and no one could hear her.

 

As she straightened, pushing up on her hands and arching into him, he sobbed, and the fingers holding her waist turned bruising, clawing at her skin as he shook and reached his own end. The spill of his come inside her made her whimper in relief and distress, her ravaged body trembling as his blanketed her back. She fell forward, closing her eyes against the aftershocks jumping in her muscles and making her feel unhinged as he collapsed on top of her. His strong, thudding heart felt against her back as they pulled themselves back together and breathed through the overwhelming pleasure, still making her toes curl. Ignoring the pain, she delighted in the weight of him pressing her into the couch, making a noise of complaint when he rolled off her and dragged her across his sweat-beaded chest.

 

Neither moved nor spoke for a long time. Rejoicing in being together and blocking out the rest of the world that would soon be clamouring for their attention. They still lived. They had decades of living ahead of them if they were lucky. What the future held, she wasn’t sure but was looking forward to finding out. And she wanted it all with him. Not a thing less. The rings, the wedding, the dirty dreams, and all the fucking they wanted until they were nothing more than a stroke of darkness amidst the stars. It was all she wanted, all she needed, and she knew he felt the same. She could see it in his eyes each time he looked at her. And as they whispered solemn prayers and sweet promises to always find each other, she felt something she had long thought lost to her.

 

Peace.

Notes:

You didn't think I'd end without smut, did you? You should know me by now! And thank you so very much for reading. I shall ask the gods to bless you all with patience, riches and good luck for wading through all that and for any comments or kudos you fancy leaving. I appreciate every single one and adore them all.

I hope it was satisfying. I've never been in a fight in my life and my brother is sick of my questions after this 🤭 ah well, it'll either be good or unintentionally hilarious. Thank you! I will update my GoT fic next before coming back here.

Chapter 36: Long story short, it was a bad time… Long story short, I survived

Summary:

Manon and Jakes bubble is about to burst as the world outside demands their attention.

A chapter filled with pure cheddar cheese. Because they deserve it, and they have suffered enough!

Notes:

Hi! Sorry for the delay in updates. I needed a little refresh after those last three chapters! They were tough but so much fun to write. I am so happy you enjoyed it. The chapter before this was so exciting but nerve wracking for me. I’ve never really written fight scenes. I was so scared to mess it up or let you down after so much build up, I’m beyond grateful that you felt it was satisfying. Thank you for that!

This chapter is very different. It’s more a tying up of some loose ends and a check in with the gang once the dust has settled. Some smut as well because they have an empty house now! I hope you enjoy it!

I also did the POVs the same way I did them in the last chapter! One of them doesn’t start at the beginning of the paragraph but it is in the first line. So keep an eye on that.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

363636363636363

"Fatefully

I tried to pick my battles

'Til the battle picked me

Misery

Like the war of words 

I shouted in my sleep

And you passed right by

I was in the alley 

Surrounded on all sides

The knife cuts both ways

If the shoe fits

Walk in it!

'Til your high heels break!

 

Actually

I always felt I must look better in the rear view 

Missing me

At the golden gates they once held the keys to

When I dropped my sword

I threw it in the bushes

And knocked on your door

And we live in peace

But if someone comes at us

This time I'm ready!

 

Past me

I wanna tell you not to get lost in these petty things

Your nemeses

Will defeat themselves

Before you get the chance to swing

And he's passing by

Rare as the glimmer of a comet in the sky

And he feels like home

If the shoe fits

Walk in it

Everywhere you go!

 

And I fell from the pedestal 

Right down the rabbit hole

Long story short

It was a bad ti - ime

Pushed from the precipice

Climbed right back up the cliff

 

Long story short

I survi-i-ived"

 

long story short - Taylor Swift

********

 

header

 

 

 

 

Manon  

 

They were left alone in a bubble of bliss and slow healing for days. They'd stopped keeping track after the first one. She moved a little easier now, though her five cracked ribs, bruised knuckles, and the nerves she'd damaged in her hand still loudly proclaimed their disagreement whenever she moved too fast. Jake watched her like a hawk, immediately swooping in to help if he thought a task was too arduous. And she'd hated it at first, had bit his head off twice before surrendering to it and promising payback if he were ever injured. 

 

His lovely eyes had twinkled at her threat. She was annoyed he wasn't even a little scared of her before he'd kissed her stupid and told her she could do anything she wanted to him, and he'd love it. Now her mind was ablaze with ideas, and all of them belonged in a filthy gutter which she assumed was his intention when she caught him smirking at her flushed face after a particularly titillating daydream earlier that day. 

 

Just after lunchtime on Tuesday, a pounding knock on the door made them jump. As Jake answered the door, she reached for a weapon she didn't have. Jessy's bubbly voice soon set her at ease, and she grinned as her friend admonished Jake.

 

"Over a week, and neither of you has replied to a message, called, or been seen in town! We were all worried sick. I thought you'd died of heat exhaustion in bed, and I'd come in here to your rotting naked bodies! I am not made for finding corpses! Friends let each other know they still breathe, Jake!" There was a dull smacking sound, and Manon chuckled at the mental image of the tiny redhead slapping Jake.

 

"Uhh... sorry, we forgot?" Jake tried, and Jessy huffed.

 

"Well, try to remember next time, numbskull." Jessy chirped, and Manon sat up as she bounced into the room.

 

Despite her sunshine demeanor and the bright smile on her face, Manon could see the strain in the lines of her eyes. Her messy bun was more unhinged than usual as it bobbed and swayed in time with her twitchy movements. Her instincts were proven correct when the redhead's eyes went watery, and she breathed a single word that made Manon's stomach sink through the floor.

 

"Richy." Jessy drew in a tight breath, holding it before going on, voice cracking, "he won't sleep, he won't eat or drink or anything. I've tried everything I can think of to help, but he's just getting worse. I don't know what to do, Manon, and I'm sorry to bring this to you. I know you got hurt and need time to rest, but I'm so scared."

 

Manon's heart trembled along with Jessy's bottom lip, and she glanced at Jake's pained expression, seeing her own guilt written on his face. She had known Richy would struggle. She had fallen apart after witnessing her dad's death, and it still had the power to bring her to her knees. Jessy twisted her hands and chewed her lip. Manon thought Richy maybe needed someone who had gone through the same thing to help talk him down from whatever ledge he was hanging from.

 

"Where is he?" She asked, urging Jessy to sit down as she looked like a good swift breeze would knock her over.

 

"He's at his house. He won't let anyone but me inside, and even then, he... stares at me or the walls. I just don't know how to help him, Manon." Jessy sobbed, tears spilling free from her lashes as she spoke.

 

Manon didn't have to think about it, "Wait here, I'll get dressed, and then I'll go talk to him."

 

She rose from her chair as Jessy chanted her gratitude and ignored Jake's concern as she climbed the stairs to their room. Her body still ached and complained, but it was easier to ignore now. Her wounds were healing well despite the nerve damage in her hand that made her fingers tingle sharply. She smiled as she heard Jake's low murmur as he tried to comfort Jessy until she closed the bedroom door. Sticking with baggy, loose clothing, she got changed as quickly as she could, careful not to jostle her shoulder too much as she slid her feet into a pair of sneakers. Her hair had been braided by Jake's clumsy hands last night. It would have to do as she did not have the time nor strength to redo it.

 

Her mind swam with memories and things that used to bleed when she looked at them, wondering how she could possibly talk Richy down when she had spent years trying to make up for her dad's death. The blame she felt from that night still stung, but she couldn't leave him to suffer alone, no matter how stupid his father had been. To die like that... it would leave a mark. It would taint his joy and steal his life if he weren't careful. She returned to Jessy and Jake minutes later, grabbing her car keys off the little table by the door.

 

"I won't be gone long. I'll take my car so Jessy can stay with him after I leave. I love you. See you soon." She said to Jake, stretching up on her toes to kiss him before leading Jessy out of the house.

 

She saw he didn't want her out of his sight, but he did not voice those thoughts, and she smiled at him before he shut the door. Gravel crunched under their feet as she and Jessy aimed for their cars, and she was getting in hers when the redhead called her name.

 

"Manon. Please make sure he knows we love him. He thinks he has no one left and that the town hates him. Tell him it's not true."

 

Manon nodded, unable to speak through the lump in her throat as Jessy pulled away. She buckled her seatbelt and started the car, speeding after Jessy and turning the music to a thought-deafening volume so she could ignore the voice whispering it was all her fault. The drive into Duskwood passed in a blur, and she soon parked behind Jessy at the Junkyard. She got out, went to her friend's car, opened the door, and said, "Wait here. I'll text you when it's okay to come in, okay?"

 

Jessy nodded, and Manon stood straight, drawing in a steadying breath before she strode around the side of the shuttered Garage. Richy's unkempt garden came into view. The house looked as dead as its owner. A study of darkness rendered in charcoal in the shadow of the Garage. Not even a breeze dared to disturb the long grass as she walked down the path and raised her fist to knock on the peeling front door. Three sharp raps of her knuckles were met with a silence so dense she worried she was too late and was glancing around for a rock or something to break the windows with when sluggish footsteps inside the house broke through her panicked mind.

 

"Jessy? I told you I don't want to see anyone. I'm fine. Leave." Richy croaked, voice broken and so rough she hardly recognized it.

 

"It's Manon, Richy. Let me in, or I'll let myself in. Your choice." She said firmly, hearing him curse as he approached the other side of the door.

 

"Did Jessy send you?" He demanded, sounding angry now, and she smiled. Good, rage was better than despair.

 

"Open the door, and I'll tell you." She offered, tapping her foot impatiently as Richy fell silent, and a weighted moment of silence spun out so long she began counting down from five in her head. She got to two when the door swung open, and she almost took a stumbling step back at the sight that greeted her.

 

Richy had all the substance of a wraith as he blinked at her. Skin washed out and tinged grey, eyes shadowed so heavily it was a wonder he could open them at all. He'd lost weight, and she could scent the sour sweat, musty skin, and sadness wafting from him as he gestured for her to come in. His eyes skipped around her, checking behind her to see if anyone followed before he slammed and locked the door. She didn't say anything as she followed his hunched frame into the living room. It wasn't any tidier than it had been that night she and Jake had come, but it wasn't as messy as she'd thought it would be. Stale food and sticky, unfiltered air were heavy in her nose as she watched Richy fall into his dad's chair. She took the sofa across from him and observed him.

 

It was as if she were looking in a mirror at herself six years ago and what might have been if she hadn't had Steve there. Richy needed someone to pick him up, dust off the debris, and reassure him. She didn't think she was the right choice but would try. It was the least she could do for a friend.

 

"How are you really? And don't lie to me. This stays between us, okay? I won't tell Jessy. I won't even tell Jake. I promise." She said sincerely, knowing his need to act like all was well even as it burned around him.

 

Richy heaved a sigh that came from his soul, dull eyes going watery as he roughly wiped a shaking hand over them.

 

"How do you think I am? My dad was murdered because of me. I saw it. I can't stop seeing it!" He rasped, hands flying as his voice rose in volume.

 

Manon knew that he would never be able to stop seeing it, but she also learned a person could survive and even thrive once grief's smothering veil lifted.

 

"I know. I'm not going to tell you it'll be okay. It won't, not for a long time. But I have some idea of how you're feeling; I lost my father in a similar way. I also believed that was my fault. I've spent six years trying to make up for it." She murmured, holding his gaze as he blinked at her.

 

"It was my fault, Manon. If we had handed ourselves in 10 years ago, my dad wouldn't have been forced to help Hanson. It's because of me he was killed. How do you expect me to get over that? How does anyone? Jessy does! She keeps coming with coffee and food, telling me everyone misses me and I can't escape it. I'm trapped in a fucking nightmare, and I can't wake up." He cried, eyes streaming as he panted and quaked.

 

It was the most she'd ever heard him say and a shocking reveal of his true emotions, usually hidden under a sunshine smile and jokey demeanor. It struck a chord in her patched-up heart, and her baggage was spilling free under the weight of Richy's devastation. Everything had felt hopeless and ruined to her back then as her castle had crumbled overnight. She was expected to live in its ruins forever, surrounded by memories honed into vicious weapons that sliced deep. Every well-wisher or gift of sympathy had felt like a slap in the face. It was a physical reminder that she had caused it and couldn't ever fix it.

 

But did it have to be fixed? Maybe that had been her problem all along. She couldn't go back and do anything differently, doubted she would change it even if she could, as even one slight difference could have meant she and Jake never met. The thought was worse than any of the memories that plagued her dreams. No, maybe fixing it wasn't the answer. But they could rebuild. Start fresh and leave the ghosts where they belong. Her heart had been a hollow plain before she'd arrived in this town, and slowly, it had come back to life and bloomed anew. It had started in her heart, spreading down to her legs and up her neck, replacing the empty, cold loneliness with joy, warmth, and love. No, they didn't have to fix it. They just had to help each other.

 

"I'm not going to tell you it wasn't your fault. You won't believe me. Your father did what he did willingly. He could have sought help, but he didn't. He was trying to protect you, he loved you, and he died to ensure you didn't. He made many mistakes, but that wasn't one of them. He wanted you to live, Richy. Will you try? Or will you let Hanson take another life from beyond the grave?"

 

Richy sobbed, body heaving as he tried to choke down his grief and failed, hands clawing at his bruised arms as he struggled. She wanted to hug him, try to give him some of her strength, but he was a wounded animal. He would bolt if she attempted to comfort him now. She waited until he'd calmed a little, his wet red face haggard and drawn as he spoke.

 

"This won't be a life worth living, Manon. The whole town knows what we did. I have nothing to come back to."

 

She could hear that he genuinely believed that, and her stomach was a nest of snakes as she saw the dark shadows flickering in his eyes. Paul had said something similar that night she had interrogated him, and she saw so much of Paul in Richy's eyes. Broken, hurt, and helpless, he and his father were more alike than either had thought. 

 

"That's not true. You have Jessy, Dan, Thomas, Cleo, and me and Jake. You have so many people that love you. And the Jennifer thing is being handled. It was an accident, Richy, and it was a long time ago. There won't be many, if any, charges brought against you. You can start again. Your dad died so you could have this chance, don't waste it."

 

"I didn't want this chance! I liked my life. It wasn't perfect, but I liked it. Now I see the Garage, and I want to burn it down. The thought of reopening without him... I can't," He shook his head, swallowing hard as he looked away and went on, "I can't go back in there. It's bad enough in  here. "

 

"Well, you don't have to do any of that. You don't have to figure everything out tonight. Baby steps, Richy. Come on. We'll clean this place up a bit and open the windows. You'll get sick if you sit here stewing in it." She said decisively, standing and going through to the kitchen before he could object.

 

As Richy padded in behind her, she smiled as she knelt to look inside the cupboards for cleaning supplies. Typical for a house run by men, there were only the basics, but she could make do. She instructed Richy to fill a bucket with hot soapy water. She grabbed the massive roll of black trash bags, hurriedly tossing anything of Paul's that she could find inside before stuffing it into the hall closet just as Richy came out of the bathroom with the bucket. He wouldn't want to see them now, but she knew from experience that when the wound healed enough, he would want Paul's things.

 

Together, they worked to clean his house, and she kept up a steady stream of conversation as they did so he wouldn't lapse into despair again. She told him how hard it had been to get back up and fight again after losing her dad. He listened intently like she was telling him something of extreme importance. She explained how far she'd run away from the pitying eyes and words of sympathy from the people in her hometown, unable to withstand it when she felt it was all her fault. Then she told him how Jake had seen all of that, the scars and coping mechanisms she'd developed, and he had stayed anyway. He brought her back to life and reminded her who she was. Jake had never treated her like a situation that needed to be handled. No, he'd loved her at her most unlovable and believed in her when she'd lost all her own faith.

 

Richy worked and listened, interjecting whenever she stopped to ask more questions. Hearing how Manon had managed to build a new life after losing someone so important had brought a spark of life back into his cloudy eyes. While she explained Steve's efforts, his daily check-ins, and the food he brought and made her eat. And the night he understood she planned to end it all, he'd refused to leave her house for weeks until he was sure she wouldn't harm herself. She still remembered the look on her friend's face that night. The trepidation and mistrust in his voice had shocked her out of the stupor she'd lost herself in that night. She owed him her life and was a terrible friend to him last week. She sighed and promised herself she would apologize once she was sure Richy was okay.

 

She was emptying the dirty water after cleaning the windows when Richy spoke behind her, his voice still dripped with familiar exhaustion, but she sensed he felt a little stronger than he had when she first walked in.

 

"Do you still think it was your fault?"

 

Manon paused, blindly staring out the sparkling kitchen window as she processed his question. Usually, the answer tripped off her tongue without her permission. It was her fault. Wasn't it? If she had been patient, she would have had a team behind her. Instead, she jumped at her informant's suggestion and dragged Magnus along. Still, he could have stayed outside. He could have kept her from racing in unprepared. He could have put her on her ass and talked sense into her. But he hadn't. He had been just as unable to leave someone to die as she had been. Turning to Richy, she realized she no longer felt at fault.

 

"I think I was reckless, desperate to prove myself. I didn't really feel fear then. Fear just meant I was doing something right. But my father was a grown man who knew how to handle himself. He was there because he wanted to be there, and it could've been anyone else with him, and it would have turned out the same. It doesn't mean it was my fault just because it was me. It's taken me six years to realize that..." She trailed off, head shaking as the bindings of that night slipped free of her skin and fluttered to the floor.

 

"Six years. Is that how long it'll take?" He almost looked hopeful if his tone didn't waver, and she couldn't fully reassure him as she didn't have the answers.

 

"I don't know. But you won't be alone, Richy, don't push everyone away. When it gets too hard to carry on your own, you'll need all the help you can get. It's not a failure to ask for help. We are all willing to do it."

 

Richy nodded and shuffled through to the living room. She took the opportunity to text Jessy, shoving her phone back in her pocket to finish putting away the bucket as they'd cleaned the harder stuff now. She stretched carefully once done, bones aching and stiff as the sun dropped below the tree line and the sky turned violet and pink. The door opened, she had unlocked it while Richy wasn't looking, and she held her breath as Jessy's uncertain voice asked Richy if she could help him. Once Richy said a hesitant, trembling yes, Manon crept out of the house and returned to her car, looking forward to a hot bath once she was on the road home.

 

The past would always linger, always hurt, and be there to remind her how much she stood to lose. But she was done. She was done with it sabotaging, robbing, and stealing all her faith and joy. It had torn her down, convinced her she deserved nothing, and she had been too scared to see who she would be if she said goodbye to those ghosts. The sun would rise again, and she knew happiness awaited her; she had stopped running. Now it was time to step out of her own shadow and live the life she had paid dearly to obtain. She deserved to love and be loved, and had sacrificed enough for it. No more.

 

 

 

A few days later...

 

Jake sat across from Hannah, Lilly at his side and Thomas on hers. Lilly had just dropped the bomb, and Hannah stared through them as she processed it. His heart remained steady. He no longer feared this. If she did not want to know him, he was at peace with that. He had tried to protect her and failed. He was done hiding who he was, and as he stared at the woman he'd crossed every line to help find her, pride, strange and unfamiliar, glittered in his chest as Hannah blinked slowly and burst out laughing.

 

"Jesus, that's just – oh, what a mess." Hannah spluttered, hands covering her face as she laughed as Thomas frowned at her sudden explosion of humor.

 

Lily grinned, relaxing slightly as she said, "I know. I think they poison the water or something in Duskwood. It's too fucked up to be natural."

 

"But why didn't you just tell me?" Hannah asked, voice solemn again as she waited for his reply.

 

He was stunned at her reaction and had expected crying, screaming, and demands for him to leave. And he would have accepted that, but she was taking it far better than any of them had thought she would.

 

"How do you tell someone you've just met that you're their brother? I didn't want to rip your family apart. It felt safer to hide it until that day -"

 

"Don't say it. I know what I said, and while it was true then, it isn't now. It hasn't been for a long time." Hannah interjected, and he was grateful.

 

He had a question, though, one that had bugged him since the day Manon figured out Hannah's passcode was his birthday. After that, he'd gone on to leave Manon clues using her birthday as his password and a way to tell her he would always love her. He didn't want to ask Hannah, but the urge to learn was biting at him, and he had to clear it away before they could move on.

 

"Your passcode on your phone. If what you said is true, why choose that as your code?" He sounded nervous, could hear the waver in his voice as his thoughts turned to Manon, waiting outside for him in the parking lot, and wished he'd accepted her offer to come with him.

 

Hannah smiled sadly, gaze never faltering as she explained, "It was a reminder. You might have vanished, but I always knew if I needed you, I could contact you. The code has been the same for years. I knew you could delete everything you sent me, but you had no control over my memory. I just never forgot you. My feelings were those of an infatuated teenage girl. I understood that when I met Tom." She said and smiled softly at Thomas as his cheeks turned pink, and Jake felt the tension drain from him like someone had opened a valve.

 

He opened his mouth, but Hannah's brow creased as she looked at her sister and urgently said, "Wait. Does Dad know? Does Mom?"

 

Lilly shook her head, "No. Dad knows something is wrong, though. I can barely look at him when I visit."

 

"Please, when we tell him, let me be the one to do it. There are a few things I'd like to say to him," Hannah's eyes had lit up, a devious, mischievous glint in them that made Jake chuckle, and Lilly nodded her permission. Hannah clapped her frail hands together as Thomas looked on fondly.

 

It had all been far simpler than Jake had expected, and all his worries floated out the open hospital window as he and his newfound siblings discussed how things would work now life could return to some form of normality. Hannah's guilt for Jennifer lay over her like a dark cloud, and Jake knew she would struggle for a while. She had already been seeing a new therapist. Her old one had begun dropping clients and preparing for retirement. And Jake was beyond glad of it. He did not like her old one and hoped she could come to terms with everything with the help of a competent doctor.

 

He stayed for another hour, leaving as the nurses came in to call an end to visiting hours and not looking back as he left his past behind. He walked out of the front glass doors to see his future pacing like a caged beast outside her car. His mouth immediately curved into a grin as she spotted him and loosed a breath he thought she might've been holding in since he'd entered the building. Her beloved face, still bruised and tense, morphed into a smile so stunning it struck him stupid as he approached her.

 

"You don't look like she tried to kill you, so it must've gone well... shut up, Manon, not the time for jokes," She laughed as he wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

 

The sun beat down on them, not a cloud disturbed the endless blue sky and everything he used to worry about felt very far away and like another life to him as he held his world in his arms and felt in his bones that they were safe at last. A laugh bubbled up his throat as he swayed and refused to let Manon ask the many questions she clearly had and kissed her instead because he could. Because he wanted to. And because she was his and they'd given their blood, sweat, and tears for this to be possible. He wasn't about to waste a second of it worrying about what could have or might still be. Whatever came next, they'd face it and win because nothing was impossible when love held all the power.

 

 

 

The day after that...

 

Manon sat still and kept her expression blank as Chris neared the end of his most tiresome lecture yet. They were in Alan's office, the Chief had handed in his resignation the day Manon had succeeded in killing Hanson, and Duskwood would have a new Chief soon. She hoped it was someone who would be up for some mischief, but she wasn't holding out much hope as Chris ranted at her.

 

"Not only did you disobey my direct orders, you completely ignored them and did exactly what I asked you not to do. Manon, you could have demolished the entire operation if you weren't so godsdamned lucky!" Chris intoned.

 

Manon held back the smirk that was trying to curl the corners of her mouth as Chris shook his head at her.

 

"I didn't, though. I am not sorry, Chris. I did what I had to."

 

Chris sighed, eyes rolling to the ceiling as if he were praying for patience before he pinned her with a no-nonsense look.

 

"No more. That is it. I'm putting you on probation. 6 months. No, make it 10. Toe the line, and you'll be allowed more freedom again. You're lucky to have three witnesses who agree with your version of events. If this had gone to trial..." he fell quiet, head shaking as he drew in a tight breath, and she did feel a tiny bit guilty. If Hanson had survived and they'd gone to court, it would have tied them up for years. As it was, they had a shit ton of paperwork and evidence to file. Statements to give and sign off. She accepted his punishment even though it felt as if she had been collared. But it was a small price to pay, knowing Jake was safe in the car outside.

 

"I understand. This was personal, Chris. I couldn't leave his fate in your hands. That's not me doubting your skill. I know you're good at what you do. But he was mine to save. It was my fault he was there in the first place."

 

"And you love him. I believe that's the real reason behind your... performance. " He muttered, waving a hand in the air before he slumped into the Chief's chair, and she couldn't deny it. She wouldn't have been anywhere near as reckless if it hadn't been Jake in that church.

 

"Don't punish Steve for any of this. He tried to talk me out of it until the moment we arrived. I wouldn't let him." She said, a note of pleading in her voice as she did not want Steve to suffer because of her. She felt bad enough that his face was still slightly bruised.

 

Chris chuckled, "I've already spoken with him. He's not going to be punished. I know you're the instigator. It usually works out for you, but I need you to be more careful. We can't risk the media catching hold of any of this."

 

She nodded, holding her silence when he sighed, and his eyes softened as he looked her over, a gentle smile flirted with his mouth.

 

"I know losing your dad that night has affected you more than you want me to know. And I also know that saving Jake was your way to make up for what you think is your fault. Manon, you don't have to save everyone. Only yourself."

 

"I think I managed to do both, but I understand. I'll behave. You have my word." She mentally crossed her fingers and hoped her smile was one of obedience, not scheming.

 

Chris scoffed, and she would have been disappointed if he'd fallen for it, "No. You won't. That's part of the reason I wanted you back, but this was beyond the scope of what I wanted from you. You have three months off before I expect to see you and Jake in our Headquarters. Make the most of it."

 

Manon thanked her boss, feeling so light she was worried about floating away as she waved at the haughty receptionist on her way out. Ten months probation would feel like she was wearing a leash. Still, it was worth it to walk out of that police station and sidle up to Jake, who had been waiting for her after Chris had spoken to him about his contract. She slid her hand into his, making him jump as he hadn't seen or heard her coming, and tugged him toward the car.

 

"Well, how bad was it?" He murmured as they buckled themselves in, and she backed out of their spot onto the main road.

 

"One of his best. I'm sure he'll remix it for me in three months when we have to go in and sign our lives away." She jested, too happy to worry about anything other than what she wanted right then.

 

On a whim, she didn't take them home. She turned into the motel and parked, turning to a confused Jake as she moved to leave the car.

 

"Come on. I want to see how much of it burnt down."

 

"I completely forgot you'd done that. Remind me never to get on your bad side." He chuckled, and he'd said something similar to her before.

 

"You already have, and you enjoyed every moment of it, too." She poked him in the side to make him toss his head back and laugh as they meandered carelessly down the well-traveled footpath, and the ruin of her rage cast a large shadow where the Dare House used to be. 

 

It had burned away almost completely. Jagged, blackened wooden teeth sprouted out of the ash-ridden ground were all that was left of Duskwood's haunted house, and the forest seemed to breathe easier now it was gone. She had anonymously sent money to the Gate of Hope, they'd slowly begun to crowdfund to build something new there, and she had dropped off the bag of cash she'd planned to give Michael Hanson in the middle of the night when she couldn't sleep. It wasn't nightmares or trauma keeping her awake these nights. It was excitement. Her life was hers now, it could bloom and wither over and over, but it was hers. And her old impatience wanted to start living it now.

 

Whenever Jake woke during those nights, he'd draw her down on the bed and remind her she was already living. Hands, mouth, and body, he used all his best tricks, and she would topple into a dreamless sleep once he was sure she'd learned her lesson. It felt different now. Before, they had been desperately grabbing hold of each other, taking what they could in their limited time and hoping they'd make it out. Now they were free, and it was deeper, sometimes slow and sensual, but no less devastating as when she pushed him too far and found herself twisted into a position she couldn't escape from. It had never been just sex with him, and it wasn't now. They still burned brightly and were all the better for it. She loved both versions of him and was determined to learn if he had anything else hiding under that deceivingly awkward attitude.

 

As they stood hand in hand and looked ahead, Duskwood had never been so beautiful. Would they remain here forever? She wasn't sure but knew they would be here for a long time. It felt like home now. She still had to sell her old house. Then she'd have to go there and make sure she'd packed everything she cared about. The thought didn't fill her with ice-cold dread any longer, and she couldn't wait to show Jake her old favorite spots and the trouble she and Steve got into it. And Jake wanted to do the same when he was ready. He wanted to show her who his mother was and who he was before life revealed its fangs and claws and ripped it all away. She couldn't wait as they turned their backs on the ruins and returned home to bask in their disgusting joy away from prying eyes.

 

 

Another day, goodbye to an old friend...

 

Manon grinned at Steve as he finished loading his car and faced her. His bruises had mostly faded, but she still felt awful as he hugged her, and she couldn't keep the apology inside.

 

"I'm so sorry, Steve. I never should have taken it out on you, and I don't have an excuse. I'm just sorry." She said into his chest, feeling his shock as he tensed and pulled back to study her expression.

 

"Mani, you were upset. We all have our daft moments. I won't hold it against you if you agree to tell Natalia I got it fighting the bad guys." He winked to make her laugh, and she did, slapping his shoulder as he ruffled her hair.

 

"Deal. I am sorry, though. Duck next time! I taught you better than that." She joked so he knew she wasn't dwelling on it, and again he froze, annoying her a little as she knew she didn't apologize often enough, but she always did when it was necessary.

 

"You have changed... I don't know what to do with that information. I'll go before I piss you off again." He gave her one last hug and whispered, "I'll see you soon. Promise." before he got inside his car and drove away.

 

She sensed Jake behind her, leaning into his chest as he wound his arms around her waist and rested his chin on her good shoulder. He and Steve had spent hours planning how they'd begin tackling Jake's pursuers in three months. It would be a tricky thing to unravel and put an end to, but she saw the determination in Jake, a fire that hadn't been there the day they met, and she was so proud of him she wanted to cry. He had stopped running, too, and was ready to face the phantoms of his past so they could live in glory together.

 

Manon would be there for him, ready to dust him off and pick him off the floor when he failed or help to toast his win and celebrate in the way they liked best when it was all over. They stood there so long the sun was making its farewell tour of the sky, and neither seemed to want to break it until she shivered and Jake led her inside. There was still so much left to do to tie up the case, more to do after so her friends could live good lives once all was finished. But for now, they locked the cabin door, and she taunted Jake into chasing her through the house, tossing her clothes behind her as she ran and giggled.

 

Her feet slipped and slid on the cool tiles as she ran through the kitchen and into the dining room. His arm wrapping around her waist, hauling her to a stop, and teeth biting her neck to stop her struggling made her go limp. She found herself on her back, spread out on the dining table like his own personal feast, her thighs automatically spread at his murmured "open wide for me," as he stood between them. He dragged her to the edge, legs dangling over it as he took a seat and spread her thighs farther apart, grinning up at her. She already was gasping for air, her heart taking off in a gallop, and she dropped her head to the table, thrashing it and ignoring the thump it made on the wood. 

 

She trembled under the weight his singular eyes, licking at her dry lips as her gaze bounced sightlessly across the ceiling. She jumped when she felt his hands land on her thighs, fingers digging in, trailing open-mouthed kisses from her knee up to where she ached for him, but he didn't kiss her there yet. He teased her, moving to follow the same path on her other leg, and she whimpered, hands fisting at her side. He was hovering over her, and she felt him huff a hot breath that only added to the fire she felt down there. Her eyes bugged as he ran his nose up the seam of her, breathing her in. Then her underwear was gone, ripped off her body so quickly she couldn't be entirely sure he hadn't magicked them away. 

 

All the blood in her body went to her cunt, and the need for friction became a sublime agony. Though she wished she could draw it out and savor it, she knew she wouldn't last much longer. She never did; the anticipation alone was enough to have her on the precipice. She sat up on her elbows and watched through dazed eyes as he finally dipped his tongue in her folds, thumbs spreading her wide, and he was relentless. Her desperate hands landed in his hair, tugging him closer, trying to get him inside, and he took the bait. She moaned his name as he slid his tongue inside her, humming low in his throat as she flailed. He replaced his tongue with two long fingers, curling them and hitting that spot that drove her wild. 

 

Her thighs were shaking so hard the table vibrated under her, but then his mouth closed around her clit. His teeth grazed it lightly before he sucked her into his mouth and crooked his fingers again. She collapsed onto the table, sobbing his name like a prayer as her orgasm crashed over her, her cunt clamping down on his hand like a vice, keeping him there as it swallowed her whole. Blind, her mind scattered like ash in the wind, stars wheeled across her vision as she floated back into her body and managed to look at Jake, her chest heaving.

 

"You're too good at that. It's a bit unfair," She breathed in a dumbstruck tone, twitching when he smirked.

 

"Do you want me to stop?" He teased, and she shook her head vehemently before he went on, "I didn't think so."

 

He rose to his feet. The table put her at the perfect height as he sank inside her in one practiced movement. She screamed in shock and violent pleasure. Unable to stop the wanton moans leaking from her mouth along with the essence dripping from her cunt. Gratitude glimmered through her as he didn't hold back, still annoyed at how careful he'd been with her until now. Her stomach tensed and relaxed with every snap of his hips, cock grinding deep. Inner walls still fluttering in time with her thudding heart. A deep groan when he pulled out almost entirely before sliding back in. The force of it shoved her up the table and caused her head to loll uselessly as her eyes rolled. She tightened her legs around him, moving her hips clumsily with his, her hands held on to the table, and his eyes never left hers as he moved within her tight clasp.

 

 Jake moaned her name, the sound like honey down the back of her throat, and she bared her neck, making it abundantly clear what she wanted, and he obliged. His thrusts stopped as his head dipped, his mouth settled over her skittering pulse, and he sank his teeth into the sensitive skin. She bucked wildly, the feel of his hard cock locked in her cunt driving her to distraction as she canted her hips and frantically sought the friction he wasn't giving her. She was greedy and selfish and needed more and more and more. She felt herself start to tighten around him when straightened. She was so aroused now he would have no problem fucking her hard, the acute nudge of his cock deep inside her and the pain in her neck making her writhe and beg and plead. 

 

She whimpered as he kissed her harshly, then he was gone again, moving within her, pace fast and punishing. Clenching her teeth against the force of him using her body hard, she knew there would be fresh bruises on her back tomorrow. Her eyelids fluttered shut as his fingers skipped over her clit, the touch so faint she wanted to sob at being denied her orgasm as it turned the edges of her vision red. Then he took his thumb and forefinger and lightly pinched the bundle of nerves. She was crazed, her head flung back, mouth open in a silent scream as she rocked into his thrust, his whispered praise egging her on. Her hands mapped her chest, fingers toying with her nipples and sending sharp bolts of pleasure straight to her saturated cunt. 

 

The pressure released just as she was about to fall, and she snarled, teeth snapping as he chuckled darkly, licking his fingers erotically, her inner walls clenching around his length at the arresting sight before he touched her again. His fingers circled her clit with purpose, and his head tilted to the side as he listened to the racket she was making. Heat swamped her inside and out as she clenched her inner muscles in a desperate attempt to make him move, smirking when he cursed her name. She wanted to laugh as he let her win and slammed into her, the lurid slap of flesh on flesh obscene.

 

His grunts and groans mixed with her mewling and moaning, both lost in their insatiable hunger. Flickering flame consumed her, his cock and fingers a scrumptious agony. And then she was there, the abyss swallowing her whole as he pinched her clit between his fingers again, and she crested that peak. Release came fast and furious, making her weightless as she sobbed and wailed, her broken call of his name the trigger to his own release. He pounded into her, growling deep in his chest as she felt him twitch inside her, and he said her name in an awed whisper as his body quaked, and he held her captive under him until he was utterly spent.

 

They were long past feeling awkward as they disentangled themselves, and he lifted her off the table, her legs like jelly, as she wrapped them around his waist and kissed him hard. Her hands were buried in his lush hair as she breached his mouth and sighed happily, her mind empty of everything except the feel of him under her hands as she clung to his shoulders. 

 

They were moving, and she broke the kiss as she felt him start to climb the stairs. Darkness had fallen as they'd fucked, and when he flicked the light switch on the second-floor bathroom, it almost blinded her, but black excitement flashed through her as he turned on the shower. He refused to put her down until they were under the steaming stream of the multiple showerheads. Then she played her favorite game, testing how far she could push him before he snapped and 'punished' her.

 

Less than two minutes. A new record, and she was the happiest woman alive as he meted out her much-wanted punishment.

 

 

Duskwood is theirs...

 

Time waited for no man. Not even Manon held the power to stop it as the days bled into each other, and she and Jake found a new version of normal that didn't include constant vigilance and guns within arms reach. Chris and his team had packed up and shipped out the day before; another warning flung her way before he winked and wished her well, driving off into the sunset as she waved. Even Camille had left town after all charges were dropped against Phil, and Manon didn't need her help anymore. She promised to stay in touch, muttering about Prenups and life insurance before she got in a taxi and left Duskwood.

 

She still jumped, ready to fight whenever she heard something outside the cabin at night. Jake would laugh and tease her that he didn't need her protection against a raccoon or bird. They spent most of their time at the cabin, ignoring everything but each other, but Jessy had called her that afternoon. A new delicate joy shone brightly in her voice as she giddily told them that Phil was throwing a party in her honor. If she and Jake didn't show up, the redhead promised to cut something off of Jake that Manon would sorely miss. It was a threat she had taken seriously and why she found herself in the Aurora, tipsy, grinning madly as she squirmed in Jake's lap.

 

The music thumped through her as she sipped another colorful cocktail Phil had made her, trying to hide the fact Jake was stroking her inner thigh and edging ever nearer to where she always burned for him. Their friends surrounded the table, even Richy had come, much to Manon's surprise, but he seemed to be doing better. Jessy's constant loving touches, bright smiles, and whatever she whispered in his ear kept his cheeks a darling shade of pink, and his formerly dull eyes shone under her influence. The weight of his dad's sacrifice still clung to him, and it would take years to fully lift if it ever did. But she was relieved to see him smiling again.

 

Thomas had come, without Hannah, as she had just been released home and hadn't felt up to coming out. Manon had sent her a text that morning, inviting her and Lilly over for dinner the following week as she was dying to know the woman who had brought her and Jake together. Jake sipped on a glass of bourbon, chatting idly to Dan as he tried to entice everyone into doing shots. When he asked again, and everyone declined, she sank the rest of her cocktail and turned to Dan.

 

"I'll do it. Go get them, Jack Daniels." She shouted over the music, and Dan's face lit up like a firework as he promised to get her fucked up and raced to the bar as fast as he could sans crutches.

 

Jake chuckled as she shook her head and leaned into his warmth, neither saying a word but able to read each other's eyes whenever they met. It wasn't long before Dan returned, depositing the tray of vividly colorful shots on the table, flopping into his seat as he reached for one. She followed his actions and didn't give Jake a chance to decline as she handed him a blue one and chose a red one for herself. Dan counted them down. The three of them clinked their tiny glasses together before tossing the contents straight down their throats. It was overly sweet and burned as it went down, but it wasn't as bad as she'd thought, and together, they worked through them all. Her head was buzzing, and her limbs felt oddly disconnected from her body, but she was happy as Jake cleared the taste away with a sip of his bourbon.

 

Jessy had dragged Cleo, Lilly, and Richy onto the dancefloor. Many different versions of a chicken dance were being performed to the bombastic tune of a rap song. Manon was giggling childishly at Richy's blushing face as Jessy tried and failed to twirl him. She kicked her feet, singing along as the song changed to one she knew, and she almost jumped when Jake's lips pressed against her ear.

 

"Come on then, we'll dance. I know you want to."

 

She felt like she had a coathanger in her mouth; her smile was so broad, and she was on her feet, dragging him onto the dancefloor just as Taylor began crooning the chorus of Invisible String. They were clumsy on their feet, her stilettos and the alcohol making her totter a little as he swayed her and pulled her flush against him. Still singing, she rested her head against his chest and enjoyed being held, nothing between them but their clothes. When she opened her eyes again, her friends were all dancing around them. They were all grinning or laughing, eyes and smiles full of magnificent light that hadn't been there when she first met them. Hannah was still missing from their tight-knit little family, but a space awaited her when she was ready to return.

 

Manon and Jake kept their slow dance going even as the song changed to something more upbeat, lost in their own world. Even Phil had been dragged up to dance at some point, and he smiled at her when she met his eye. It was a new one, not his usual smirk of cocky flirtatiousness. It was one of gratitude and sweet hope that all would be well now Hanson had been buried for good. She was very far from the woman she'd been the day she arrived in this dark little town and glad of it as she looked up at her love and wrapped her arms around his neck. Jake took the hint, tasting like bourbon and heaven as she lost herself in his kiss. Telling him she loved him with each brush of her tongue and tasted his own love in reply as he deepened it and smiled.

 

They were marked by bloodstains, horror, and death, had faced the devil, and won after a long, drawn-out fight. Silent promises to always come home to each other were passed through their kiss, and her hope grew so luminous, shimmering, and brilliant as it lit up her heart and soul. Jake held her tighter, a shiver running through him as she nipped his bottom lip with her teeth and forgot about everyone around them. Still, they danced as they would forevermore.

 

"Because dancing is life."

-Stephen King. 

Notes:

Thank you so very much for reading! Writing this story and reading your thoughts has been an absolute pleasure. Those comments are a gift beyond price, and I cherish each and every one of them.

The epilogue may take a little time to finish. The writing is done, but I'm adding a visual element that'll take me time to put together. I'm very excited about it. It should come really soon but it all depends on how emotional I get. See you then!

Oh, if you fancy it, I posted a little two part JakexOFMC romance story! I needed something fun after the last few chapters of this. No pressure, you can ignore this. It’s an alternative universe where Jake is a bodyguard to my celebrity FMC and they shouldn’t really be doing what they’re doing together. It’s called: I Can See You.

Edited Friday August 4th 2023: the Epilogue is still coming. I’ve commissioned artwork for it, and the other visual elements still aren’t ready, so the epilogue is on the way, it just needs some time ❤️

Chapter 37: Flash forward and we're taking on the world together

Summary:

12 months later, Jake and Manon have settled into real life. It’s time to catch up with them and see what happens next.

Notes:

I apologize for the long wait! I wasn’t ready to say goodbye, and I had to figure something else out after something fell through, and finally got everything together last night! I hope you enjoy it.

It’s very bittersweet for me, coming to the end of this. It’s been my life for over two years. I lived and breathed this story and its characters. Self doubt, self hate and constant anxiety plagued me everyday. But I did it. This is the first thing I’ve ever completed and the most meaningful thing I’ve created, I don’t think I’ll ever love anything the way I loved this. Thank you for sticking with me.

We began this story with Manon. She was the beginning of everything, and so we will end with her, too. I hope it’s everything you wanted from this story.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

 

  Manon  

 

 

Jessy: I’ve finished for the day. Jake gave me the afternoon off when he got back. I’ll see you on Monday!

 

Manon grinned as she replied to her friend, turned assistant, and stuffed her phone in the car console as she left the airport parking lot and began the journey home. A year. A year had passed in the blink of an eye since they’d wrapped up the Hanson case. Like someone hit fast forward, the seasons were changing, sparkling morning dew turned to glittering frost, and much of Duskwood’s great forest shed its summer leaves and awaited the rebirth of spring. The pines remained evergreen, and their scent grew sharper as winter’s creeping chill turned the earth solid and settled into the land. All of it had been marked by gentle, sweet nothings, fingerprint bruises on her thighs, and more than one sleepless night when she and Jake fought. It didn’t happen often, but two very stubborn people living, working, and loving together were bound to butt heads now and again. And she very much enjoyed what came after those fights.

 

Jake, Lilly, and Hannah waited for everything to calm down before the sisters approached their dad. Nathan Donfort was accosted after returning from another business trip, and his smarmy grin was soon wiped away as Hannah unleashed months of bitterness on her dad while Lilly grinned from the sidelines. She demanded to know why he hadn’t stepped up for Jake, and when Nathan said he never loved Jake’s mother, Hannah gave him the dressing down he sorely needed. The man was a shell of himself; his daughters practically ignored him around town, and their mother kicked him out once she knew. But Heather was more cunning than any of them knew. She was well aware her husband played away, but the secret child he abandoned was the last straw. Nathan had nothing left once she kicked him out and took him for all he had. It was very satisfying, but Jake felt guilty for weeks until Hannah and Lilly assured him their mom didn’t blame him and had only stayed as Nathan controlled all the finances. His “father” was a Grade A pig and had reaped what he sowed. Manon felt no pity for him.

 

Their three months off passed in a haze of desire, long, lazy days wrapped around one another and dinners with their friends. Her heart still ached for those days of peace and solitude, but their new life was everything she hoped it would be. Jake was still working alongside Steve to ensure everyone after him got their day in court. So far, a few lower-level ingrates had been taken out of the game, found dead with two gunshot wounds to the back of the head and a suicide note in their pocket. The politician and his son were obviously working hard to keep Jake chasing his tail. But her man was nearing the end and had discovered their hideaway; it wouldn’t be long before he was entirely free.

 

Even though it wasn’t constant, working together had been a learning curve. After one too many spats over dinner about a case they were on, she decided to ban all work talk after hours, or they’d be at each other’s throats every night. It wasn’t that they disagreed. They usually agreed, it was Jake’s tendency to be overprotective of her and her instinct to lash out when she felt someone didn’t think her capable. She knew how stupid that was, and no one knew better than Jake what she could do. Jessy began working for them after Richy managed to sell off the Garage and the land it sat on. After paying Paul’s debts and for his mother’s care, he was left with a decent amount. Neither he nor Jessy wanted to stay in Duskwood, so Manon bought an apartment in Colville and offered it to Jessy and Richy. Her friends refused at first, not wanting any charity, but Manon allowed them to pay a small amount of rent that wouldn’t leave them struggling. They didn’t know that Manon was saving that money, and when the day came for them to move on or get married, she would double the amount and help them start their new life together.

 

For now, Jessy loved doing the busy work Manon hated with a passion, and she was excellent at keeping track of all the appointments and court dates and planned every trip they took. She worked mainly from Colville, with Monday and Friday spent at the cabin to review the week. Jake and Manon had been working together on another case. Jake finished his part and had gone home a few days before she could leave. It was pathetic how little sleep she got without him beside her and her silly pining for a man in constant contact with her. Still, as she drove that winding road through the forest, nearing her home and love, her heart raced, and she planned to devour him the moment she walked through the front door.

 

Freshly waxed, plucked, and prettied up, she was well prepared for ravishing. She even took the time to get her nails done, something she found frivolous most days, but felt an urge to book an appointment before she left the FBI headquarters. Her shiny, fresh hair glowed under the summer sun as she turned onto her driveway and hauled her SUV into the spot beside Jake’s Mustang. The guesthouse they had built during the past year to house their friends whenever they held parties was now ready to use, and she was dying to christen it with Jake. Pulse already flickering in her throat, she fluffed her hair and checked she didn’t have lipstick on her teeth before getting out and jogging to the house. Letting herself inside, frowning as she moved through the ground floor and found it empty of life. Confused as he told her he would be there, she climbed the stairs and called his name. No response came, and she bolted up to their bedroom, finding it spotless and free of any debris suggesting Jake had been there.

 

Trying not to panic, she rounded their desks and saw his screens were dark, but her laptop lid was open. She knew she hadn’t left it like that and sat down before it, watching dumbly as a red line appeared in the middle of the screen. It grew and morphed into the NYMOS eye, blinking at her and setting her heart off on a gallop. Memories of Jake’s pursuers hacking her phone six months earlier froze her in place as the eye again blinked and vanished. One line of text appeared, and it soothed her fraying edges and eased the panic cloying in her chest.

nymos

Open the map of Duskwood

 

Giving a nervous chuckle, Manon unlocked her phone and opened the map Jake made for her months before. Her hands trembled as a grey pin hovered above the Motel. Seeing the key symbol, she tapped it and held her breath as another note appeared on her laptop.

 

You dragged me out of the darkness and gave me a place to rest when I had nothing to offer you. You only ever asked for me, and when we kissed in that motel room, I knew I could run for the rest of my life and never feel the way I did during that kiss. I searched the world to find you and didn’t know it. Head to the Motel for your next clue.

 

The screen went dark, and the NYMOS eye blinked out as Manon shoved away from the desk, sending her chair clattering to the floor as she grabbed her bag and keys. Bolting downstairs and out of the house, she was back inside her car in moments, a giddiness in her chest making her feel slightly crazed as she peeled away from the cabin. Once on the main road, she put her foot down and flew through the forest, reaching Duskwood in record time. Her heart pounded against her ribs, her fingers tingled on the steering wheel, and she couldn’t get enough air, excitement, and anticipation smothering her in the loveliest way. It had been so long since they’d played these games, and she was not going to waste a second of it worrying about the why when she was delighted to play.

 

As the Motel filled her windshield, she swung into the parking lot and barely stopped the car before she was out and shoving through the motel door. The lobby was empty. No one manned the desk as she strode up to it and rang the bell too many times, feet itching to move to the next place. When Lilly burst out of the staff room behind the desk, her face was alight with a beaming grin as she spied Manon.

 

“I was told to come here for my next clue. Do you know what this is about?” Her words were a frantic ramble as Lilly shook her head, a mischievous spark flared in her eyes, and Manon tamped down the urge to force it from her friend.

 

“I know a bit of it, but I’m sworn to secrecy. You have to figure it out yourself.” Lilly sassed with a cheeky grin, and Manon had a sudden image of her restraining the blond in a headlock to get it out of her. Shaking herself, she stifled her impatient sigh as Lilly slid an envelope across the counter. Her name was written on it in Jake’s neat handwriting.

 

Snatching it up, feeling something hard inside it, she muttered, “I don’t know if I like you two teaming up against me.”

 

Lilly laughed, “Oh, you will. Read that before you go. I’m off home now! Bye, Manon, good luck.”

 

Manon watched her leave, mouth hanging open and brow furrowed until Lilly vanished from view, and she remembered the envelope in her hands. Sliding her nail under the seal’s edge, she tore it open and pulled out a piece of folded paper. It was heavy, and once she unfolded it, she saw why. Taped to the letter was a room key, the very same one that they’d stayed in last year. Her heart grew butterfly wings as she read.

one

That kiss I mentioned? Go to where it happened, and the soundtrack to our life awaits you.

 

Carefully, she unstuck the key from the paper and stuck the note in her bag before walking down the hall to find the room she and Jake had shared those first days. Standing in front of that door, memories of those early days played in her mind with crystal clarity. The tension, the easy quiet between them when neither felt up to talking and getting to know each other very intimately before they ever took their clothes off. Sliding the key in the lock, she held her breath as the door creaked open, and she walked inside, locking it behind her.

 

Was this room really where it all began? It looked so dull and ordinary, not the paradise it had looked like to her back then. Her life changed drastically in that room, and they only stayed there for a few days. Loosing a breath and steeling her spine, her eyes went straight to the spot on the floor where she climbed into his lap, and he utterly wrecked her with a single kiss. On the floor, surrounded by pink peonies, was another letter and a small red gift bag. The sweet scent of the flowers infused her as she knelt to survey the scene, careful not to crush them. Her breath caught as she picked the letter up first; even though she was dying to know what the gift bag contained, the next clue was far more intriguing.

2

Now, I want you to head to the place you lured me in that very first night.

 

.. .----. .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- .-.. .-.. --- .-- / -.-- --- ..- / .- -. -.-- .-- .... . .-. . --..-- / -- .- -. --- -. .-.-.-

 

Manon couldn’t breathe, could barely make her hands work to tap out the message and decode it. It took her three tries to get it right, and once she did, she was fighting back the tears flooding her eyes. Oh, he was good, too good, and she would be a sobbing mess by the end of this.

 

I’ll follow you anywhere, Manon.

 

Setting the letter down, she reached for the bag, but something on the back of the paper caught her eye. More writing, she realized with a thrill and snatched it up again, holding herself very still as she digested it.

3

To help you understand how I feel, I made you a gift. I want you to listen to it while you follow the rest of the clues.

 

Stuffing it in her bag, she wrangled her emotions into order and braced herself, knowing Jake, this was only the start, and she wanted to see it through without a breakdown. He was far too good for her, and she felt like the luckiest woman alive as she pulled the bag to her and stuck her hand inside. The familiar feel of an iPhone and her Airpods that she thought she lost a week ago. Her delirious giggle couldn’t be contained as she understood how well he’d planned this out. Taking them out, she stared at the phone, an old one of hers after she upgraded a few months ago. Jake claimed he wanted to test software on it, and she gave it to him without a second thought. A sequence of numbers was marked on the side of the gift bag, and she knew it was the passcode before putting it in.

 

133035

 

Her favorite number, her age when they met, and his. Fucking hell, she wasn’t going to survive this. Clumsily typing the code, a joyous cry left her as she saw the photo he’d chosen to use as the phone background. It was one she took of them months before. Jake glared at her as she beamed at the camera. Still, the quiet joy in his indigo eyes wiped all heat from it, and she laughed, remembering how many bad selfies she had taken of them both just because they could. He still felt awkward whenever someone took photos of him, but he was growing used to it now he was getting closer to solving the issue of his pursuers. And he never said no when she wanted to take his photo. Her camera reel was filled with him.

 

All the apps she tried were empty except one. The music. She slowly clicked through until she found a playlist titled “For the Hope of it All” and choked back a deranged sob as her vision blurred. Blindly, she stuck the earphones in her ears and hit play on the first song. Grinning wildly as she recognized it and as she scrolled through the songs on it, she realized he’d chosen the ones she played most often, sang around him, or mentioned were her favorites. Her heart felt too full, ready to burst, as she drew a steadying breath and let the song seep into her mind. People said magic wasn’t real, but she knew right then that they were wrong. Magic wasn’t tricks and fortunes. It was unconditional, respectful, and deeply intense love.

 

As the song changed to another, she couldn’t stop the tears that dripped down her face as happiness ignited so brightly she was blind to all else. She had to go and follow this to the end and try not to dissolve into a puddle of salt water on the way. Leaving the room behind, she left the Motel on prancing feet and got in her car, driving to her next destination in a cloud of bliss. It didn’t take long to reach where she enticed him to come with her, and she parked the car on a side street to walk the short distance. Fall Out Boy set the pace of her feet as she spied the lamppost he’d removed the sticker from that night she hunted him down. Turning, she stared down at that grassy expanse. She remembered how suffocating the darkness was that night, how desperate she was to catch him and bring him out of whatever hell hole he’d camped out in. Something waited for her at the bottom of the steep hill, her stumbling steps down to it marked by another song that threatened to rip the air from her lungs.

 

A small wicker basket rested at her feet once she reached the bottom. It was too small to contain anything but the letter she pulled out.

4

You changed my life so completely, and it all began here. Do you remember where you led me? Go there for your next clue. I love you.

 

Her smile threatened to break her face, her feral laugh overloud as she recalled how she’d trapped him and his reaction. She took the basket with her as she followed that winding path into the forest. The sun overhead banished any painful memories as she moved through the ancient trees. The forest wasn’t scary anymore. Now that the monster stalking it was rotting in an unmarked grave, there was nothing to fear, and the rich, earthen scent soothed her nerves as she approached the spot where the Dare House used to reside. Another wooden structure had been built out of the ashes of the old, a place for people to rest, relax, and chat as they adventured through Duskwood’s endless forests.

 

Impatience rode her hard at the sight of the envelope tacked to the door of the hut, and it was in her hand before she registered she’d moved. Taking a deep breath, she couldn’t control the tremors making her hands clumsy as she ripped it open and hungrily read every word Jake had written for her. A second piece of paper fluttered to the ground as she did, but the first held her captive.

5

You held a knife to my throat, and I’d never felt so sure of anything. You were meant to find me, and I you. We didn’t have a normal beginning, but it’s ours. If you want to follow me to the next stage of our story, call Jessy.

 

Something fierce and fiery ran through her veins, lighting her up inside as a wildness grew in her chest and became impossible to contain. Kneeling to pick up the other piece of paper, she saw more Morse code and a note asking her to wait to test it until she reached the end. Resisting the need to know now, she folded it up and put it in her pocket. Trusting him had never been a question, and it wasn’t now. She knew she would love whatever it was he planned. Pausing the music, she quickly found Jessy’s contact and gave her a call. Jessy yelled as she picked up, making Manon wince at the volume.

 

“Fucking finally! Took you long enough. I’m dying here!”

 

Manon choked and replied, “Wait, you know too? What is going on?”

 

Jessy squealed like a child on Christmas morning, and Manon swore she could hear the sound of someone slapping their hand over her friend’s mouth. A slight struggle was had on the other side before Jessy’s undiluted voice poured into her ears.

 

“Nope. I’m not allowed to tell you. Richy is threatening to teach me how to change a tire if I ruin the surprise. All I can say is,  go back to where you made him want to live, not simply survive .”

 

Manon’s tongue was frozen in her mouth, words unable to trip off and reply, but she didn’t have to. Jessy screeched her goodbye with a wicked cackle, and the line went dead. Chuckling at her friend’s exhilaration, Manon put the music back on, letting the song settle over her as a deep knowing sank under her skin, and time seemed to stall. She knew. Oh, she knew what was next. She didn’t remember the walk back to her car, only waking up as she turned onto the road leading her home. As the songs changed, she was transported to the very beginning and how hard it was to keep all she felt for him locked behind her teeth. So much was stacked against them. Neither trusted the fates to be kind to them, but somehow, they had done the impossible and come out stronger than they’d ever been.

 

All they’d overcome, all the stressful nights, the flaws and fights, she was grateful for all of it. They wouldn’t be together if they hadn’t gone through all that, standing tall, side by side, soul to soul. There was nothing between them but love and respect. It was dizzying how high they’d climbed, and that spark, that fire and desperation for each other, had never faltered. After all this time, they still burned for one another. Greedy hands and starving mouths soon forgot any time spent apart. She hoped it never went away.

 

The way back was slower as she wanted to hear every song he’d chosen for her and prolong the sensation building like an inferno in her chest. Every lyric reminded her of them. Moments they shared, the struggles, and all the good that happened in the year since that night at the church. She hadn’t realized he paid such close attention to what she listened to, and he rarely mentioned it unless he wanted to know why she loved it so much. Music for her was a necessity. She couldn’t live without it, and every song she loved carried indelible memories and captured moments of their life together. For him to have noticed and done the same for her was earth-shatteringly beautiful.

 

As she approached their house, she didn’t bother to park appropriately and got out when it stopped. The last song was coming to an end as she aimed for the front door and saw the note taped to it. No envelope this time. The large writing told her to check the Morse code now and give her answer in the same code. She smoothed the paper from her pocket, fluttering like leaves in the wind in her shaking hands.

 

.-- .. .-.. .-.. / -.-- --- ..- / -- .- .-. .-. -.-- / -- . ..--..

 

Manon almost passed out once she tapped it out. Despite knowing what was coming, she wasn’t prepared for how extremely overwhelmed she would feel once it was confirmed. As clearly as he’d said it aloud, the words echoed in her mind like a church bell. Will you marry me? She didn’t have to think. The answer was imprinted in her bones and would never be anything else. Rapping her knuckles on the door to give her response, she held her breath and opened the door. The air was charged somehow. A heavy thrumming that slid over her skin as her eyes settled on Jake. Breathtakingly handsome and out of his mind with nerves, he rose to his feet at the bottom of the stairs, dressed in a black suit with a ring box in his hand. Her knees threatened to give out as determination shone bright in his starry eyes.

 

She wasn’t sure whether to jump his bones or drop to the floor in a heap of tears and delight. Desire and delirium worked in tandem, making her lightheaded and fuzzy around the edges as Jake approached her. A tide of emotion pulsed through her veins, lust, and love, the two drugs she refused to stop taking. His gaze never left her face. Her passion for him was out of control as she gave into the need to go to him and ran the final distance separating them to throw herself at him. He stumbled back with the momentum and laughed roughly as she wrapped herself around him, babbling “yes” over and over as he murmured into her hair.

 

“I haven’t asked you properly yet.”

 

An unhinged laugh burst out of her as she pulled away from his neck, huffing his scent to engrain it into her memory.

 

“Ask me now.” She demanded breathlessly, unwilling to let him go while he did it.

 

He backed them up, and she clung to him as he sat down on the stairs with her in his lap so he could free his hands. She hadn’t given the ring a second thought, only wanted him, but as he slowly opened the box and saw what was inside, her heart skipped and sped up. The largest stone was an oval-cut sapphire, surrounded by a halo of diamonds and set in platinum. It was exquisite and almost the exact shade of his eyes as she met his watery gaze and waited for him to speak the things she could already read on his face.

 

“I wanted to do this months ago but wasn’t sure how. I almost slipped up and asked you so many times. It’s the hardest secret I’ve ever had to keep, and that is saying something,” Jake jested, a low laugh as he shook his head before going on, “You’re everything, Manon. The beginning and, middle, and end, it’s always going to be you. I know that in my bones, and by some stroke of luck or fate, you see me the same way. I thought that was an impossibility for me. You proved me wrong time and again. I want you to keep proving me wrong, and I never want to be right if it means I don’t have you. You’ve already said yes, but I need to say the words... Will you marry me and continue to prove me wrong, Manon?

 

Four little words. One question. A single reply, but a million things were said in her eyes as she answered him.

 

“Yes, always, yes. You are mine, and I’m yours. There is no world where that isn’t true.”

 

His grin was finer than any jewel as he took her left hand in his and slowly slid the ring onto her finger. His quivering breath washed over her as he stared at her hand and shook his head slightly. She would have married him with paper rings and a backyard party. They were far from perfect people, but she didn’t want just the easy parts of him or him of her. She wanted the complications and fuck ups, the dreary days and the hot summer ones. She wouldn’t have him if she couldn’t have all of him, and he’d repeatedly proven he felt the same way. Tears still streaked down her face as she clasped his face in both hands and kissed him.

 

Her fierce, irrational love poured from her and into him. Hard and frantic, he returned it just as desperately and clung to her with a bruising hold. It was a messy, all-consuming thing that she felt down to the bottom of her ragged soul, and the delicious flames of lust licked over her skin and down to her core. She’d have him right there on the stairs, and Jake was just as game to try as he gripped her hip and teased her with sharp teeth on her bottom lip and feather-light brushes of his tongue in her mouth. Neither heard the door opening, but both listened to the taunting voice as they entered.

 

“It’s alright! They still have their clothes on. Told you we’d make it in time.” Jessy chirped, and Manon laughed into Jake’s mouth as the redhead continued, “Surprise! Did you say yes? If you don’t, I will murder you!”

 

“Well, as she’s in his lap, wearing a very sparkly ring, I think we know the answer,” Dan’s teasing rasp reached them next.

 

Breaking away and turning to face their friends, she burst out laughing as she saw the women wide-eyed and jumping from foot to foot while the men hung back and rolled their eyes. Even Hannah and Thomas had come. Both were smiling at them as they disentangled themselves and stood. Jake remained behind her, hiding, and she knew why but wouldn’t tease him now; her feline smirk didn’t count. Their friends carried balloons, flowers, food, and drink, and she looked to Jake for an explanation.

 

“I told them they should be here, and they agreed,” He shrugged as if it was nothing, and he hadn’t thought of everything to make this special for her.

 

Jessy carried a garment bag with her and beckoned for Manon to follow her up the stairs; she turned and pushed up on her toes to give Jake a chaste kiss before following her friend to her bedroom. Once they were in the room, Jessy unzipped the bag and revealed a scarlet dress. It was expensive and beautiful as she shook it out. It would skim her thighs, lightweight and easy to move in despite the backless design. Her friend was watching her with hopeful eyes as Manon smiled.

 

“Did you choose it?” She asked as Jessy nodded.

 

“Jake only wanted it to be backless and red. He left the rest to me.”

 

Manon’s eyes stung, months ago, she complained about the new scars she had accumulated after the fight with Hanson. She wasn’t self-conscious; she just hated to explain to those rude strangers who would blurt, “What the fuck happened to you?” and her temper demanded an outlet in the form of her fist breaking their nose. Jake had laughed as she faux pouted, dragged her down to sit beside him, and said something she still replayed in her mind whenever some asshole had the gall to question her.

 

Your scars aren’t the problem. Those assholes are. They’re beautiful, and I won’t have you without them. Wear them with pride; you survived, and the ones that gave you those scars didn’t. Live and show them off to spite those bastards that tried to take you from me before I knew you.”

 

As the memory cleared away, she took the dress from Jessy. She stroked a hand over the delicate embroidery around the waist. Jessy decided to find her shoes and jewelry to go with it while Manon changed in the bathroom. Her reflection in the mirror was one of incredible happiness, and her glittering smile as she turned around to check the back of it would remain painted on her face for days. The skirt flared out from the waist, twirling with her when she moved, and she gave in to the need to do a few silly spins in it. Once she spritzed a few sprays of her favorite perfume, she left the bathroom, took the shoes and jewelry her friend handed her, and sat on the bed to put them on.

 

“He was terrified you’d know something was up. He called me and Steve so many times to make sure it would be perfect. It was kind of cute, actually.” Jessy chuckled.

 

“I don’t think he realizes just how good he is at keeping things a secret from me when it’s something good. I had no idea anything was happening. Steve actually invited me to visit him this weekend, and now I’m realizing he was throwing me off the scent, that… little shit,” Manon replied, and it was true. Jake couldn’t lie for shit when it came to anything other than surprising her. It was terribly endearing.

 

Jessy nodded, “We like to complain about men and their audacity, but I think we might have found the good ones. He loves you so much it’s hard to watch sometimes like it should be private, and we’re intruding. I’m so happy for you, M.”

 

The redhead threw her arms around her. Manon immediately returned the affection. Her friend’s citrusy scent was soothing as her emotions swelled and clogged her throat. Jessy pulled back with a cheery grin and got to her feet.

 

“Come on, we have a party to start.” She held her hand out to Manon, who took it, and they hurried downstairs and into the kitchen, where Cleo was unveiling the food, and Lilly was pouring drinks.

 

Jessy let go of her to go to Richy, who was chatting with Dan and Thomas. Hannah and Jake were in the dining room. Their relationship still felt fragile and new, but the awkward tension and stiff shoulders Jake had sported for the first few months had eased enough they could joke about it now. Hannah saw her first, a soft smile playing on her mouth as she got up and approached Manon.

 

The woman hugged her gently, whispering, “Congratulations, Manon. Thank you for bringing him into our lives. I’m so glad to know you both.”

 

Manon smiled, “Thank you. I’m glad he has you and Lilly, too. He needs people that love him for him.”

 

Hannah inclined her head and left her alone with her fiancé. Jake was already watching her, eyes turning black as he assessed her head to toe as she sidled up to him.

 

“Are you happy?” He murmured as she slid her arms around his trim waist and his settled on her bare back.

 

Glancing up to meet his gaze, she didn’t think happy was a strong enough word for what she felt now. Still, she nodded and tried not to shiver as his thumb stroked her skin.

 

“I doubt you have it in you to make me unhappy, Jake. How do you feel?” She asked, knowing how uncomfortable he could be around too many people. Especially after a day like today when his nerves would likely be stretched to the max.

 

“Lucky. I feel lucky. There’s never been any doubts when it comes to you, Manon. Especially now.”

 

She grinned, “What do we live for now? I don’t think we need to hope anymore.”

 

Jake chuckled, swaying her slightly as the music began playing through the many speakers in the cabin.

 

“We live for each other. And everyone we love. We always need hope, though. I think we should keep that, too.”

 

They were in their own little world. Neither cared for a party but wanted their friends involved. Dan and Jake had hit it off once everything was settled, and though they were polar opposites, they balanced each other well. Thomas had grown a spine and more of his personality; he wasn’t just Hannah’s boyfriend, and Manon was glad of it. Richy still carried the shadow of grief, but he was living and learning who he wanted to be now he didn’t have a business to save. She checked in on him often in those early days, and they’d grown close like siblings. There were some things he couldn’t say out loud to Jessy, but Manon understood. And as she and Jake joined their friends in the kitchen, eating, drinking, and laughing, she was utterly confident she’d found the family she never thought she would have.

 

There were glowing, unbreakable bonds weaving between them, and they dropped everything to help each other when the need arose. She was in the middle of a jovial debate with Dan and Jessy when a voice she hadn’t heard in person for months called her name. Whirling, heart stuttering as she clocked Steve in the kitchen doorway, Manon’s face crumpled as she ran for her best friend and embraced him. He let out a grunt as she flew into him and didn’t hesitate to return her hug.

 

“I guess you missed me?” He whispered, voice strained as everyone else pretended they weren’t watching.

 

Choking down the sob working its way out of her mouth, she nodded without looking at him and said, “He thought of everything,” It was all she could get out as Steve huffed a laugh, and she loosened her hold on her friend.

 

“You didn’t think I’d miss this, did you? Jake has been a wreck for months, trying to ensure everything was perfect. Natalya wishes she could have come, but with Elodie, it made sense for me to come now, and we’ll all come for the wedding.”

 

Manon’s vision would not focus, and she was swimming in emotion as she let him go, and everyone welcomed him. After that, the party was a haze of exquisite giddiness and ridiculous joy. Her face hurt, but she couldn’t stop smiling. Jake never left her side, and she was pretty tipsy by the time everything was winding down. Dan had taken to calling her ‘Boo’ and teased her for acting like a teenager, but she saw the twinkle in his eye and knew he was over the moon for her. They were very close, siblings in sarcasm and dark humor that made Jake roll his eyes fondly whenever they were together. All her friends were in varying stages of drunkenness when Cleo decided it was time to wrangle everyone to bed. They would be staying in the main house, while she and Jake would have the guesthouse to themselves.

 

After saying goodnight, catching the embers glowing in Jake’s eyes every time she touched him, Manon grabbed the keys off the counter and smirked at her man as he arched a brow. Without saying a word, she took his hand, led him outside, and dragged him over crunching gravel as the chill breeze made her shiver. The lights were on inside, and she wondered who was responsible but shook it off as she unlocked the door and pulled Jake inside. It was clear Jessy had taken it upon herself to set it up for them once she saw the note beside the champagne bucket and chocolate-covered strawberries. It was short and sweet, a warning and a joke that made Manon want to cackle.

 

I don’t want to see anything I can’t unsee. If you need anything, get dressed before you ask me to come down. Love you! Can’t wait to plan the wedding! Have fun ;-)

 

Jake was reading over her shoulder, a sardonic chuckle leaving him at Jessy’s note. One time, early on in her employment with them, Jessy had arrived at the cabin an hour early for work and walked in on Manon and Jake in a very compromising position on the living room couch. It was hilarious to Manon, but the redhead’s shouts demanding they pay for her therapy still rang in her ears whenever Jessy was in their house. Jake couldn’t look her in the eye for weeks. He had replaced the couch when Jessy refused to sit on it. Now, her friend was always late to work and yelled her presence the moment she walked through the door. Manon had no shame and just laughed every time she was reminded of it, and even Jake couldn’t help but join in whenever it was brought up. 

 

On a smaller scale, the guesthouse was similar in design to the main cabin and only had one floor above the main one. She barely saw any of it as Jake picked up the champagne bucket and flutes while she grabbed the strawberries and locked the door, blood already fizzing as she followed Jake’s broad shoulders to the master bedroom. Decorated in shades of red and black, she was determined to turn it into a den of sin before the sun came up. Jake had the same idea. They’d barely set the food and drinks down before he was on her. Hands roamed over any bare skin he could reach as she clung to his lapels. 

 

Before closing her eyes, her glimmering ring caught her eye against the black of his suit. She wanted to cry again, but Jake kissed her with force and shoved a knee between her legs, and her body soon burned for another type of release. Teasing her with flicks of his tongue and hands sliding down to grab her ass, tugging her in to grind on his thigh as he owned her mouth, Jake was a master at work. After all this time, it still felt new and exciting. Her heartbeat elevated as his hands moved down to wrap around the back of her thighs, crouching slightly before hefting her up, and she wrapped her body around his, his superior strength thrilling her. 

 

They were well versed in the rhythm of each other’s bodies, pushing and pulling, bruising grips and swollen lips as he stole the air from her lungs. His familiar scent and taste were the only aphrodisiac she ever needed, and she imbibed as often as she could, neither willing to let this part of their lives fizzle out and die. Liquid and pliant, she was writhing in his hold, fistfuls of his hair in her hands to keep him close. Nothing was said as he broke the seal on her mouth and set her down on wobbly feet, whirling her around to undo the buttons keeping her dress on her body. She wore nothing underneath, had been slick since that kiss on the stairs, and now she was soaked, heat building intolerably as he trailed his fingers down her spine and pressed a biting kiss into her scarred shoulder. 

 

Unable to wait, she twisted around, grabbed his tie, and brought him down to her level. 

 

“Get this off, but keep the tie.” She muttered, snapping her teeth at his lips as his eyes blazed violet.

 

“Hmm. What purpose would that serve?” He taunted, claiming her mouth for a delicious amount of time, and she twitched as his hand fell between her thighs to delve inside her saturated folds. 

 

He studied her face as he abruptly plugged her with two long fingers and held them still, her strangled moan echoing off the walls as he smirked down at her. Her hips moved on their own, seeking friction he refused to give as she dripped around his hand and whined in frustration. 

 

“I need an answer, Manon.” He said and crooked those fingers; his thumb swiped over her clit just once, and her knees trembled, teeth gritted against the ache burning her up inside. 

 

“Blindfold me.” Was all she needed to say, and Jake gave her what she needed. 

 

Dropping to his knees, shoving her legs apart, his mouth was on her clit, the fingers inside her sliding in and out as she threw her head back and clutched at his head to keep her balance. His groans of satisfaction as he swallowed her down and made more mess vibrated through her, and she couldn’t hold it back when the first flutters began. Slow burning and consuming, it began with a prickle of heat washing over her skin and rippling out of her center. Her cunt clasped around his busy hand as he devoured her with lips and tongue, light grazes of his teeth over her clit, making her cry out. Her mouth opened to call his name, pleasure surging fast when he removed his hand and mouth and rose to his feet. 

 

His glistening mouth smothered her snarl as she quivered and shifted on her feet, and she tasted herself on his smirk. She opened her eyes as he broke away, watching through her lashes as he slowly took off his tie and motioned for her to turn around. Doing as bid, she took a deep breath and ignored the essence slipping down her thighs as her vision was obscured, and he secured it at the back of her head. He instructed her to stand still and wait, never her strong suit, especially now, but she knew it would be worth it as she listened to the slither and whisper of clothing being removed somewhere to the right of her. Every sound magnified now she couldn’t see, and she had to grit her jaw to keep from begging him to fuck her. 

 

Sensing him approaching, she licked her lips and felt the heat pouring off him as he grabbed her upper arms and walked her to the bed. Following his silent instructions, she waited as he sat down on the bed, and he pulled her onto his lap, hands lifting her up as she reached below to wrap her hand around his thick cock. Giving him a few awkward strokes to make him growl her name, she grinned as she ran the head of him through her wetness and lined him up with her entrance. Wanting it to sting, she took him inside her with one swift movement, and neither could talk as her cunt held him tightly, and she breathed through the sensation of being well stretched. Her knees rested on either side of his hips on the bed as he managed to move them back enough so she wouldn’t lose her balance. 

 

Together, they worked to make the other moan the loudest. His brutal hold of her hips helped her rise once she softened, and her well-practiced movements were effortless as she swirled her hips and took him again and again, so wet now the pain had gone. Jake’s mouth was on her neck, biting and sucking over her hammering pulse as she keened and tensed her inner walls on every slide down. Sweat beaded on their skin, the fire inside them raising the room’s temperature as he encouraged her with sharp snaps of his hips as she moved and marked her throat with his teeth. 

 

The ache in her thighs, the spiraling sensation in her core, and the feel of his hard cock splitting her in two drove her to distraction as her nails turned to claws and buried themselves in his shoulders. Every noise she made was met with his praise and love, words of worship marked into her skin so she never forgot them. She couldn’t think through the pleasure swamping her body and mind, her movements turning clumsy as she chased the flicker of release hovering at the edges of her sanity. He lifted her almost completely off him as he felt the pulse of it around his cock, and shoved her down with force, impaling her and forcing the air out of her lungs in a scream as she clenched down on him.

 

A midnight chuckle, his mouth at her ear, and she sobbed when his gravelly voice filled her head. 

 

“You can let go, Manon. I’ve got you. Touch yourself for me.”

 

Her needy whimper and twitchy body only made his filthy talk come faster as she unpeeled a hand from his shoulder and slid it down her body to find her clit. A stuttering moan tumbled from her mouth as he again lifted her, and she let gravity do its job as she circled that swollen bundle of nerves, fingers gliding through her wetness and spreading it around. 

 

“Good girl, that’s it. If you could see how beautiful you are…” he trailed off as she jerked violently, and her cunt gripped him so tight it ripped a dark moan from his chest that made her smirk. 

 

He was close too, and her busy fingers worked harder as she felt him jump inside her and could sense the tension in him as he sped her up and helped her crest that peak. There was no warning. A few more swipes over her clit, and his hips thrusting to meet her wriggle down made her ignite like he’d poured gasoline and lit a match. Fire licked down her torso as her body went rigid, and she arched, his mouth immediately closing around her peaked nipple as her throaty cries became ear-shattering moans that he praised her for. Essence seeped from her, inner walls contracting as he cursed her name and followed her into the fire of release. 

 

Everything buzzed, and her blood was molten. Every jerk and spasm of her body prolonged the torturous bliss. The blindfold was removed as she opened her mouth to beg for a reprieve, and he kissed her hard to smother the noise she was making as he spilled inside her. He was trembling as much as her, the grip on her hips digging in mean as he held her down until he was spent. Not letting her move as she shivered and whined softly in her throat. She wasn’t aware of how long they stayed like that. Sated and exhausted, melting into each other as they kissed lazily and his cock softened inside her. She didn’t want to move. Wanted to stay like that forever but knew she had a lifetime of moments like this to look forward to. 

 

Not to mention the fabled wedding night. Oh, she couldn’t wait, and her grin as they kissed made him hold her tighter. She wanted him in all ways every day and to grow old with him, see his ink-dark hair turn silver and his handsome face lined by time and love. When they were old and grey, she knew they would adore each other still, and after all they’d gone through, nothing could take that future from them. She would ensure it, and so would he. His eyes, when they parted, said everything his mouth couldn’t. They untangled themselves to clean up and get into bed, glittering inside with all she felt. A resolute hope shone so bright between them that it was hard to stare at for long. 

 

Sitting in bed, feeding each other chocolate-covered strawberries and sipping expensive champagne, she was the happiest she’d ever been. Love had been their protector and defender all along. Ride or die, it was a connection that stayed with them always and in all ways. It was raw and honest. It roared for them when needed and soothed their souls. It stayed with them, whether in silence and comfort or yelling and madness. Real love was a celebration and a boost when life got hard. Real love was there for them in sadness and kissed the scars caused by other hands, and it was so rare. A treasure in a world of pain and suffering, love was a constant between them. It was a blessing they planned to keep for as long as they both lived. A promise they would never break, and as they lay together, she admired the ring on her hand. She turned her head to kiss him softly, finally letting him settle down after a few long minutes. Before she fell asleep, her tongue was heavy in her mouth, but she managed to speak, and Jake’s arms went taut around her as she did. 

 

“I love you. I can’t wait to be your wife.” 

 

Jake swallowed thickly, voice quivering as he said, “I love you too. You already are… but I’m looking forward to telling people I’m legally your husband.” 

 

It was just a piece of paper. A grand party and pretty outfits. But they deserved it, and she wanted them to have everything they both doubted they would ever receive. Her smile followed her into sleep, and the promise of forever was the sweetest dream she’d ever lived.

 

 

6

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Coming soon...

 

 

cover

Cover art by @Crown.Cupcake

Murder. Mystery. Stalking. Death threats. All things Manon Corvin can deal with.

Wedding planning. Dress shopping. Place settings. Bachelorette and bachelor parties?

She’s not so sure about. 

She just wants to marry the love of her life and is happy for someone else to plan it for her.

 

Along for the ride are their Duskwood friends.

A trip to the City of Sin, dancing lessons, and writing vows just might send them over the edge.

Through it all, the lust and passion that blazed between them never dims, and they find safety in it.

 

A romantic comedy.

No bad guys out to get them.

It is pure fluff, love, fun, and romance!

As smutty as ever, and the love they found has only grown over time.

**************

 

 

 

 

Snippet:

 

“Some of us will have to be on Manon and Jake duty,” Jessy said as if it were a normal thing.

 

Manon threw her a dirty look that made her giggle and wink, but it was not the effect she was going for. Jake just smirked, and that annoyed her more.

 

“Why? It’s our wedding. We can do what we want.” Manon said with a sniff, tossing her hair over her shoulder.

 

Jake chuckled, hand on her hip tightening.

 

“I think that’s what they’re trying to avoid, Manon.” He said, and she scowled deeply.

 

“Yes. We can’t have you two sneaking off to a coat closet somewhere for a quickie every chance you get!” Jessy joked.

 

“You know, back in the day, they would’ve celebrated that as a marriage well consummated.” Manon fired back.

 

Jake choked on a laugh, he never knew what to expect even after all this time.

 

Jessy muttered,  “We lived with you for a bit. We know all about that.” Making Manon snort and stick out her tongue as she lounged in his arms.

 

Dan piped up then, “Look, I can either officiate this wedding, or I can keep an eye on those two. I can’t do both.”

 

Notes:

Thank you so much. For everything. For all the reads, the kudos, and the comments. I will treasure them forever, and I remember every single one of them. Comments are everything to writers, writing is very lonely, and I appreciate each of you who left them to let me know I wasn’t alone. I am so grateful and hope you enjoyed their ending. Two years of my life have been spent on this story, and for over a year, you have followed it and supported me. I can't state in words how incredible that is. I never thought this would come to mean so much to me. Manon is my heart and I am so happy she resonated with you. Thank you.

Oh, and the playlist is real. I made it for this chapter. And every song on it is actually the chapter titles for this story. The soundtrack of their romance. If you’d like to listen, search the title on Spotify, the creator has the name Lilith and the cover of this story is the profile pic.

A massive shoutout to my dad! Who painstakingly copied out those notes for me! My handwriting is terrible, and he has lovely writing. He did it for me, and I'm so delighted. I hope they were a nice surprise and helped you visualize it. I'm so grateful to him as I was scrambling.

If you need some comfort, I wrote a four part one shot series for Jake and MC this past week! They’re on my account and are pure, undiluted fluff and love.

I am sorry this is so long, I forgot to add this in and wanted to share it. The proposal was inspired by my own. My ex fiancé proposed to me with a scavenger hunt. It was on a much smaller scale, and nowhere near as grand as what Jake did. But I knew it was perfect for him as he so loved to leave us clues and cryptic messages to uncover.

Chapter 38: For the hope of it all - Epilogue Artwork

Summary:

Art by notzka.

Notes:

DON’T LOOK IF YOU HAVEN’T FINISHED THE STORY.

Hi, this isn’t a chapter! My beautiful friend, @notzka, illustrated a scene from the epilogue and it deserved a chapter all of its own. She is so talented, not only with this, but in her writing too! I can’t thank her enough and hope you love it as much as I do. Im sure you’re already aware, but if not, she has her own stories, here and on Wattpad, if you want to go find her!

I’ve added a short smutty snippet from the sequel below the image! Felt weird posting just the picture.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

 



Smutty snippet from Paper Rings & Dirty Dreams:

 

Oh, he was a cruel, evil man. Her entire body was alight, flame seeped  through her nervous system to ignite the wildfire desire that he so effortlessly stoked to life. Her taunting got her here, and she knew she would pay for it as Jake's eyes blazed and he held her firmly. 

 

"I'll have you every way I like," Jake murmured. The hand in her hair tightened and pulled, tugging her head back and baring her throat, lowering his head to whisper in her ear. 

 

She gave a surprised moan as he nipped at the sensitive skin below her ear and kept twisting her hair so pain licked across her scalp to merge with the rising pleasure in her core. He mouthed at her pulse, grazing his teeth over the wild fluttering under paper thin skin. Lifting his head only when she clutched his shirt in two tight fists to keep her upright. 

 

"I'll start with this," a finger glided through her soaked folds, easily sinking inside her cunt, plugging her and making her jolt, "Then I'll fuck you here," he withdrew his hand much to her annoyance, the one in her hair flexed as he circled her other entrance and her knees nearly buckled, "After that... I want to cum down your throat," his hand settled around her throat and squeezed as he growled his final wish, "I want your taste in my mouth for the rest of my life. I just want you." 

 

He was gone. Leaving her swaying and twitching, watching his back as he sauntered out of their bedroom. Her frustration nipped at her and she knew he wouldn't give in until later, wanted her dazed and desperate. Her eyes flew to her nightstand, the urge to take the edge off almost impossible to ignore. Manon knew if he heard her using her fingers or toys to get off, he would deny her longer. Stifling the urge to curse him out, she did her best to ignore the aching sensation between her thighs and hunted for a new pair of underwear. It was dangerous to wear any around him and she didn't know why she bothered. She would get him back somehow, she knew how to play too.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 

 

A/N:

 

I hope to see you when I start to post the sequel to this monster of a story. If not, thank you for reading this one. I won't give a definite date for the sequel because I will ignore that and I don't want to break any promises. I want to finish my second battle chapter for my GoT story before I release it. But it's almost ready, if you want to know when it goes up right away, you can go to my profile and subscribe to me as an author, you’ll be emailed whenever I publish. You don’t have to and will be able to find it on the fandom list. But if you wanted to know the moment it goes live, you can do that. My chapter estimate for Paper Rings currently sits at 13 chapters. That could go down or up depending on how well I stick to the outline. But it definitely won't be a beast like this one.

 

 

A/N 10th November 2023

The sequel is available! 3 chapters so far, 21k words. If you’d like to read it, click on my name, and it’s the second story if you scroll down my profile. I hope you’ll enjoy it if you give it a go! 

Notes:

Isn’t it wonderful? It’s exactly what I envisioned, no, it’s so much better, and I love it.

If anyone hasn’t seen, I published a new Manon and Jake smut scene that didn’t fit this story. It’s called, Good Girl, and it’s in the newly renamed collection “Duskwood - After Dark.” It was supposed to fit in the epilogue before the proposal but I changed my mind. It involves a sex toy, a dirty dream, denial of sex, and more filthy goodness when Manon finally snaps.

Series this work belongs to: