Actions

Work Header

Marked Me Like a Bloodstain

Chapter 12: We burned and we bled, we try to forget but the memories left are still haunting

Summary:

Sexy times and secrets are had, Steve brings news and wise words. The gang have a movie night and we end sweetly! This is long, I figured you guys deserved it after waiting so long lol this chapter is dialogue heavy, sorry, they wouldn’t shut up.

Notes:

I am so sorry this is so late! Real life got a bit blah and I struggled to write this. I have however written a shit load of scenes for the future of this fic but this chapter was hard! I actually had a whole different start for this chapter, in Manons POV but it didn’t feel right and I wanted to write it from Jakes POV instead! Now I am not a man, I have no penis so I had to Google things that made the FBI agent watching my phone blush so if it doesn’t work, blame Google lol It’s done now, i haven’t edited it yet, I wanted to get it up as soon as I finished so I’ll edit tomorrow! I hope you enjoy it and let me know what you think!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

12

 

Started a stranger, a lover in danger

The edge of a knife


The face of an angel, the heart of a ghost

Was it a dream?


I, I am a man on fire

You, a violent desire


What a dangerous night to fall in love

Don't know why we still hide what we've become


Do you wanna cross the line?

We're runnin' out of time

A dangerous night to fall in love


I, I am a man on fire

You, a violent desire”

 

Dangerous Night – Thirty Seconds to Mars

******

 



JAKE

 

She was sprawled across his chest when he woke, a mouthful of her hair stuck in between his teeth. He still jolted a little inside whenever he woke to her beside him or draped over him. Not used to it and not quite trusting it yet either, it seemed too good to be true. She was quite handsy when they were alone, he was worse. His fingers were always seeking her skin, any bit of contact to reassure himself it was real. And that he could, to be honest with you. He liked to pick her apart, to feel her body tremble under his hands and see the dazed look in her eyes when they finally opened again, knowing he put it there.



He took a deep inhale through his nose, breathing her in, she always smelt slightly fiery, peppery and something darkly rich. He could never pin it down but it haunted him constantly, he could pick it out in any room and know it was her. He skimmed a hand down her spine, the skin as soft as silk and watched as goosebumps followed the path of his hand. She shifted a little, eyes moving under her lids but not opening and a sleepy murmur he couldn’t quite make out.

 

Like this she seemed fragile, delicate and… young. So very young with sleep smoothing out the hard set of her wicked eyes, softening the corners of her mouth and her hair loose and unrestrained. She looked so young it made panic rise in his chest at the thought of her handling any of what he’d placed on her small shoulders. If he voiced any of this to her she would kill him, but he would worry anyway and he’d do it silently so she never felt a moments doubt from him. Her leg hiked up his thigh in a slow slide and he watched her face as she slowly woke, his hand tangling in her hair to play with it. Sleep glazed green eyes fluttered open and immediately sought his, the soft smile on her lips just for him. 

 

“Morning handsome.” She rasped, voice low and rough from sleep. 

 

He chuckled, “Morning, Manon.” 

 

He kissed her forehead and tried not to preen when she hummed and closed her eyes as he did. Just a week ago he was completely alone, seeking comfort in her through a message service and now he had her here, somehow she wanted him here too. 

 

“No nickname yet?” She joked and he playfully rolled his eyes.

 

“I like your real name.” I like how it tastes on my tongue, is what he really meant to say but close enough. 

 

She giggled and stretched her legs before replying. 

 

“I hated it until I was 18. Both my parents had odd names too though so it grew on me eventually.” 

 

Jake raised a brow, she never brought her parents up and he wasn’t sure it was right to question her just yet, felt it would be taking advantage while she was still half asleep. 

 

“It’s French isn’t it?” He asked instead.

 

“Yeah but that’s not why they picked it.” She yawned, her nose scrunching up adorably with the action and he fought the urge to kiss it. 

 

“Why did they then?” 

 

“I’m not from Wales so I could be wrong on this but apparently in Welsh, it means Little Queen. That’s why they picked it, I was always their little queen, never a princess.” 

 

She laughed then and he felt something inside him go still at the sound. She had a throaty laugh that made you want to join in, a really dirty laugh that made no sense coming from her mouth but it somehow suited her. He was so far gone over this woman and had no idea how he’d went so long with nothing, he couldn’t imagine not being with her anymore. Before she was simply an idea, a dream of what he might have had if his life hadn’t turned into a shitshow. He’d never expected to actually have her and now he did he wasn’t sure how to keep her, maybe the trick was to just let her keep him and it would balance out. 

 

“You think really loud, Hackerman.” She murmured and he realized he’d been brooding away while she watched him with an understanding smile. He met her gaze and relaxed, the look in her eyes told him he had fuck all to worry about. 

 

“I’m not sure that’s a thing, Manon.”

 

She grinned, wide and beautiful, his own mouth curling in answer. 

 

“Oh it is! I can hear the cogs turning and I was starting to smell smoke but - hey! No! Stop!” She dissolved into giggles as he discovered Manon was ticklish, his fingers digging into her sides enough to make her laugh. He let up and waited for her to catch her breath before tilting her chin so he could kiss her, the electric shock of their lips meeting as strong as ever. 

 

He took his time, slowly but not gently opening her up and when she gasped he licked into her mouth, groaning when she boldly brushed her tongue along his. She kissed like she did everything else, full of fire and fight, battling him for control but conceding eventually when his hand slid around to cup her ass. He loved it, the unleashing and the undoing, it dragged him deeper into the mire of all he felt for her. Lust, quick and dirty flashed down his spine and into his groin, already hard enough he felt a bit dazed. 

 

His hands got greedy, sliding around her and shifting them so lay on their sides and he could slide a thigh in between hers, the heat of her almost scalding. Grabbing at her ass and the nape of her neck to pull her ever closer, the moan she made swallowed down by him. She liked him to take charge and let loose, handle her roughly and leave his mark. It made him want her in a way that was nearly painful, her own hands were around his neck and clinging to his hip, sharp nails biting his skin only adding another layer to the haze that befell them whenever they were alone. 

 

He pressed in closer, upping the pressure and speed until she was panting and rocking against his thigh, her hand slipping off his hip to wrap around his cock. He felt her smirk when he hissed into her mouth, biting at her lips in retaliation but she took it as a reward. 

 

He was mindless as she stroked over him, the kiss turning frenzied and desperate as they both became too wound up to think clearly. She was moaning softly with every rock of her hips, the slick heat of her against his thigh driving him insane as his fingers left bruises on her skin.  He had to feel her or taste her or take her. All three if possible. 

 

He moved his leg away, chuckling when she made a disgruntled sound in her throat but it was quickly replaced by a needy whine when his hand took its place. He’d noticed over the past few days she seemed to have somewhat of a fixation on his hands, found her watching them at odd moments or whenever he did anything with them. He’d taken to giving her more opportunities to do so. She was soaked as she always was when he touched her, it made him feel like a possessive freak knowing it was all for him. He slid two fingers inside her, smiling into the kiss when she clamped down on them, a high pitched whine leaving her throat as he let her breath so he could watch her face as she fucked his hand. 

 

Her hand around him faltered but he didn’t care, not as he crooked his fingers and circled her clit with his thumb and she cursed his name, eyes shut tight like she couldn’t watch him as he did this. White fire trickled down his spine at the sight of her flushed face and the flood of liquid heat that coated his hand when he did it again, her body tensing already. He knew she was close, could feel her cunt fluttering around his fingers and felt it in the way she clung to him as if she needed an anchor to keep her here. He all but growled when her eyes opened, the green almost swallowed by black and burning him alive in the best way, he knew he probably looked similarly unhinged as her hand resumed working on him. 

 

He had never actually decided but he made it his mission to have her boneless and breathless before he fucked her, he wanted her on the edge of begging for it. He pressed his thumb down and added another finger, she flung her head back and gave a guttural moan that had him leaking precum into her hand. He mouthed at her neck, taking mouthfuls of skin and grazing his teeth over her pulse, her body jerked when he bit down hard. He felt her tensing, her breath coming harsh and fast as her hips chased his hand, so close now she was muttering nonsense he couldn’t make sense of. The skin around her mouth was slightly red from the scrape of his beard and the rest of her was flushed beautifully  pink thanks to him, he was ridiculously proud of himself. 

 

“That’s it. Let it go, Manon.” He didn’t recognise his voice, the raw edge of it so deep he wondered if she heard it but knew she did when she whimpered and met his eye. She liked him to talk to her while they fucked, she rarely replied and he didn’t need her to, only wanted to be the cause of her falling apart. As if she were waiting for his permission she took a shuddering breath and he took her mouth again to smother the noise she was making. Every shiver and flutter only made him desperate for her, he wanted to feel her come around his cock, to savour every drop of her and take him down with her. As she eased back down from it he removed his hand, grasping her knee to hook it over his hip and slid his thigh back between hers. 

 

Manon caught on quick and canted her hips so he could slide inside her, in a moment he was seated to the hilt and just took a minute to rein himself in. He’d never felt this bone deep need for another person before, how utterly crazed he felt every time she pulled him inside and made him forget every name he’d ever hidden behind. She wasn’t one to wait though and made it known when she grasped at his ass to try and make him move. He ran a hand down her flank and grabbed at her hip, pulling her into him as he pulled back.

 

“Fuck.” She cursed when he ground into her, the position he’d put her in wasn’t conducive to the harsh thrusts they tended to fall into but he was deeper than he’d ever been. She clung to his back as he circled his hips and moved deep within her, the wet heat wrapped around his cock had him dangerously close to the edge already. It was always like this, so incredibly good he was in a constant battle not to cum the second he got inside her and when she tensed her inner walls deliberately he felt crazed.

 

Almost snarling he buried his face in her neck, hands grasping at her hip and neck, her nails dragging down his back making him shiver. Desire flared bright and white when she rolled her hips to meet his grind, a smug smile on her face when he moaned. He couldn’t have that so he dropped his hand between them, her breath catching as he brushed over her clit in teasing strokes. He wanted to play with her, take her to the edge of madness before letting her fly off it. He licked and sucked his way up her throat, catching her lips in his and drinking her down, tormenting her with lazy strokes of cock and fingers. 

 

She was writhing now. Sweat slick skin sliding against his and her kiss felt more like an argument as he refused to give her what she wanted, smirking against her mouth when she whimpered impatiently.  He broke away, delighting in the harsh breaths and warbling moans coming from her with every grind of his cock into her. 

 

 

“I love the sounds you make when I’m inside you.” He growled and smiled when she shuddered, eyes rolling and nails biting into his back. 

 

He nipped at her earlobe, tugging it and listened to her gasp of pleasure when he circled her clit more purposefully. Her body was singing to him, muscles trembling and inner walls tensing and untensing with every glide of his cock inside her. He knew how to get her to the edge, battling his own need to let go the entire time and make sure she came first, he needed to see that look she got when she finally let it go to send him over the edge. He felt the warning burn of his own release and furiously fought it back, fingers slipping over that bundle of nerves. She was moving into his thrusts erratically, chasing her orgasm now and he watched her face as he brought her to the edge. 

 

She was always beautiful to him but when he was buried in her and had her like this, she was stunning. Some primal part of him screamed at him to mark her as his, claim her and ensure everyone knew she was with him. He was biting and sucking at the pulse in her neck, his body acting on the impulse without him actually giving it the go ahead. She didn’t mind though, no she went a little wild then, bucking against him and whining in his ear as she clawed his back to ribbons. The sting of it grounding him enough to hold off long enough to send her off.

 

“I want you to come for me, Manon. I need to feel you come all over my cock, can you do that?.” She nodded and he smiled against her skin, her movements completely unhinged now. 

 

“Good girl. Spread your legs for me.” He breathed and turned his head to claim her mouth. 

 

 

He pushed her over onto her back and she automatically split her thighs for him and wrapped her legs around his hips. He braced his forearms on either side of her head and slammed into her, the force of it shoving her up the bed. She arched her back into the next thrust and moaned into his mouth, the kiss a messy clash of tongue and teeth now. With every thrust he ground against her clit, felt her begin to flutter around him and knew it wouldn’t take more than a few words from him to send her over. He let her breath as he thought over his next words carefully, he felt himself pulse inside her and was glad she was almost there, he wouldn’t last much longer. Not when she felt like heaven and sin wrapped around him. He snapped his hips, circling to rub against her clit and chuckled when she threw her head back and mewled. 

 

“You like that, don’t you? You’re doing so good, you feel incredible.” He rasped and saw her eyes flash with a hunger so deep it almost ripped the breath from his lungs knowing it was for him. Her moaning turned more desperate, the flutters around his cock  so intense they threatened to drag him over and when she pulled at his hair he lost it, his control slipping at the lick of pain that only pushed the pleasure to an exquisite agony. He drove into her hard, punishing strokes that had her almost sobbing as she thrashed her head wildly. 

 

“Jake… I can’t -“ 

 

“Shh. You’re doing fine, keep being good for me.” 

 

He had no idea how he found the right words to say but he did, she tensed, her entire body going rigid with the next point of his hips. Her eyes flared bright with desire, the hands at his back scrabbled for purchase when he nodded and she went still before exploding around him, the sounds tearing from her throat sounded so wrecked he felt a surge of male pride. He was relieved as she shattered, her cunt milking him for all he was worth as he chased his own end, the leash he had on himself burned away now. He fucked her through her own release to find his, waves of pleasure built in the base of his spine and moved up his body, his groin tensing as it washed over him. Manons writhing and breathless encouragement sending him over the edge, as overwhelming as it always was with her. His vision whited out and he couldn’t think or feel past the bright, intense pleasure as he came inside her, Manon boneless under him as he came back to himself. 

 

He all but collapsed on her, shaking with the force of it and breathing hard and fast against her neck. She was stroking gentle hands over his shoulders and head, humming low in her throat as he wrangled himself back down to earth, he recognized the song as one she’d played a few times now. He didn’t think she realised she did the humming and the singing most of the time and hoped she never would because then she’d stop, he liked to hear her sing. The words of the song came to him then and he smiled softly, mentally telling her he felt the same way too and it was a never ending refrain in his brain. 



“I get undertones of sadness when I think about the moments that I never got to spend with you, I can’t decide, if I love you more in morning or I love you more at night.”

-Ya’aburnee - Halsey

 

 

 

 

 

***

MANON

 

 

 

 

 

Steve: I got in okay, see you in the morning. - Received 1.33am

 

Manon was standing at the top of the stairs, biting her nails and intermittently sighing, she’d been there for at least 10 minutes now and showed no signs of going down them soon. She sighed again, sick of herself, and reread Steve’s message even though it was imprinted on her brain. She was trying to psyche herself up to go down and face him, but nerves kept her rooted to the spot. Once she walked down these stairs the life she’d known these past few days would change and she wasn’t sure if she was ready for it, in spite of her planning every last detail. She huffed an annoyed breath, her inner voice screaming at her to steel her spine, straighten her crown and get down there, the other voice whispered she’d be better staying with Jake. She had stolen his hoodie, it was massive on her but she’d needed something when she couldn’t have him there and she kept sniffing it, that smoky spicy scent of his still lingered. She had to find out what he wore because she was sick of smelling his belongings to figure it out, it was prime stalker behavior and she’d never live it down if he caught her. Her phone buzzed in her hand, jolting her out of her silly musings and she glanced at the screen.

 

Steve: I’m awake, come down any time, Mani.

 

Fuck. She had nothing left to talk her out of it, her childish hope that he was still asleep now blown apart. She smoothed a hand over her hair, she’d brushed it but it still looked like she’d been well fucked recently, she'd gathered it in a messy bun on top of her head but the mark Jake had left on her neck would give her away. Sending a prayer to whatever gamer was running her life today and asking them to go easy on her, she walked down the stairs and into the living room.

 

There he was. Her oldest, dearest friend. Steven Hartley, he looked the same as he did when they were kids but different, older, taller and more… sure of himself. The insecurity that had hung around him like a mist was no longer there, he smiled at her like they’d never spent a day apart and stood with his arms open wide, a smile on his freckled face. She didn’t even think, just ran and jumped into them, arms flying around his neck. He smelled exactly the same, it was like a punch to the gut and she shut her eyes at the flood of memories it brought forward. The two of them 14 and fearless, causing mayhem together and winding up her dad, the indulgent way he'd smile at them when rescuing them from their latest scheme. It was overwhelming but she wasn't drowning under the weight of them now, she just felt... nostalgic and grateful. Griefs rusty blade didn't sink into her heart and twist when she thought back on their lives anymore, it rested on her skin only hard enough to remind her it could cut her again. 

 

“You look good, Mani.” He said into her hair, relief clear in his deep voice.

 

She let him go and stepped back, assessing him for signs of the exhaustion he’d mentioned.

 

“So do you. Gods, has it really been that long?”

 

“Someone made it clear that if I “stuck my nose into Manon's business” she would cut it off.” He chuckled and she laughed, had forgotten she’d said that.

 

“And you decided to do what I tell you for the first and only time when I said that? Typical!”

 

“Well, you were wearing a lot of steel that night and I didn’t want to risk it, I like my nose.”

 

She shook her head, smiling and immediately dove into hostess mode.

 

“Do you want coffee? Food? You must be knackered!” She grabbed his wrist and dragged him through to the kitchen.

 

He sat at the island and watched as she flitted around, grabbing cups and setting up the coffee maker. Once she had two cups of fresh hot coffee she slid one to him and faced him again, leaning on her elbows on the counter.

 

“How’s the wife? Everything still good with the baby?” She asked, sipping at her coffee.

 

His entire face lit up and she couldn’t help but smile at his happiness.

 

“She’s great, they’re both great. She’s enjoying spending all our money on pretty things for when the baby comes .”

 

Manon laughed, she knew Natalia very well and got along with her brilliantly, she’d been shopping with her and knew how crazy she could get with it. Manon tended to encourage her because she was the same way, loved to spend money, and just enjoy it.

 

”I’ll have to set up a date to go with her! I haven’t been on a proper shopping trip in ages.”

 

Steve rolled his eyes, “The two of you are terrible together, if you went with her I’d bet my bonus that you’d talk her into buying a solid gold pacifier.”

 

“They sell those! I’m sure Kim Kardashian has one.”

 

“You and those fucking Kardashians.” He shook his head but he was laughing so she smiled. 

“They’re basically America's royal family and I for one want to know what they’re up to!” 

 

“You’re just a nosy bitch, Mani.” He retorted and she couldn’t disagree.

 

“Mani… you’re the only one left to call me that, I still don’t like it.” She was smiling though.

 

“Tough. I’m not changing it now.”

 

“Nah, I’d probably miss it if you did.”

 

He watched her knowingly, her heart rate spiked at the understanding in his warm brown eyes. His sandy blonde hair was cut close to his head, he always did that when he had a heavy case. She directed his thoughts to that to avoid discussing the past.

 

“So, what’s this big case you’re needed on?”

 

He wrapped his hands around his coffee mug, instantly seeming tired.

 

“There is a group trying to bring down all the energy grids, they’re upping their attacks and almost managed to shut one down last week. We sorted it before it made the news but they’re getting bolder. They drafted me in and I’m getting paid a fortune.”

 

Manon frowned, “Why the energy grids?”

 

“To bring the country to a standstill. No power? No anything. It would cause mayhem. It’s impossible for them to take them down all at once but if enough of them are shut down the rest will follow. I’ve been working nonstop to stop it. They’re regrouping for now which is why I could come here.”

 

“Ah, I’m guessing they’d ransom the government to turn them back on?”

 

Steve nodded, “Yep, cloning credit cards and siphoning money isn’t enough anymore. Everyone wants to be a hacker billionaire.”

 

She snorted, “It’s a shame you’re only a hacker millionaire.”

 

Steve shook his head, smirking.

 

“Says the Private Investigator with more money than she could spend in several lifetimes.”

 

She picked at her nails, Steve was well aware of where her money had come from so she felt no judgement from him. He’d received a good chunk of it from her father too.

 

“Well, gotta keep myself busy! Or I’d just spend my time shopping and reading smutty books.”

 

“We couldn’t have that…” Steve murmured and she grinned, the easy familiarity of being around him had banished her worried for now.

 

“Speaking of, on a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is this news you have for me?” She asked.

 

“It’s - about a 5? A 7 if you really hate it.”

 

She rolled her eyes, hearing someone coming down the stairs she whispered,

 

“We’ll go out later, you can tell me then. Don’t bring up dad or the reason you're here, I haven’t told anyone yet.”

 

He frowned but nodded, she heard his reply as she turned to watch Jessy and Lilly walk down the hall.

 

“You’ll have to tell them, this makes sure of it.”

 

She ignored him and greeted her friends, introducing them to Steve who could get along with a lamp post he was so easygoing. It hit her then as she watched her friends congregate around him that Steve wasn’t her only friend anymore.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

They were all in the living room, everyone except Jake who’d texted to say he’d be down soon an hour ago. They were munching on toast and downing coffee, Steve holding court and telling a story from their teenage years, the time she convinced him to buy a ouija board and dragged him to hold a séance in the old asylum, the town myth said it was haunted and she had wanted to find out for herself if it was true. She remembered moving the planchette to freak him out, but it started moving without her trying. She still wasn’t sure if it had been him that had done it, his brown eyes had had that glint in them, the one that always convinced her teenage self to do something reckless. Jessy wanted all the details and even asked if Manon still had the board, pouting when Manon said no so she went online and bought one for the girl. 

 

She felt him before she saw him, the air seemed to change and thicken, a thread of electricity that connected them both. She turned her head and found him already looking at her, unsure of where he fit in she realized with a pang of sadness. She didn’t notice she was smiling until Steve leaned over to whisper.

 

“I’m guessing that’s your hacker?”

 

Her hacker. She supposed he was in a way, she jerked her head to tell Jake to come sit with her and turned back to Steve, whispering furiously so Jake wouldn’t hear.

 

“It is. Behave. Don’t interrogate him.”

 

Steve only smiled, curious eyes on Jake as he slid in beside her. He slung an arm over the back of the sofa, his hand resting on her shoulder and he looked the portrait of easy calm but she felt the tension in him. She held her breath when Steve spoke.

 

“Who wants to hear about the time Manon lost a game of monopoly and from then on all board games were banned?”

 

Jake chuckled beside her and she elbowed him in the side, fighting a smile herself as she thought back to that night. 


“What did she do?” Jessy asked with a laugh. 

“She flipped the board and the table it was sitting on, then she stuck a knife through it and was in the middle of trying to burn it when her dad walked in and decided for the safety of the town, he’d stop us playing games.” 

 

Manon laughed, her dad's face had been hilarious that night and it was one of her favorite memories, how innocent and free they had felt then. Yet they’d spent their days dreaming and wishing they could grow up and have different lives.

 

“Well, I don’t like to lose.” She picked at her nails, hiding her smile as Jake's arm slid off the sofa and settled over her shoulders. 

 

“You still beat me at everything else so I was due a win, Mani.” Steve laughed and she shook her head. 

 

“True. I’ll take that.” She said and turned to Jake as the others begged Steve to tell them more. 


“You okay?” She asked, noting the shadows under his eyes and the hard set of his jaw. 

 

“Yeah, just tired.” He said softly and she smirked, knowing she was the reason for that.

 

“Come with me.” She replied and stood, heading to the kitchen. 

 

He followed close behind her, sitting at the island as she went to the coffee maker and picked up the pot, filling a large mug to the brim before sliding it to him. She poured some for herself, adding her favorite creamer and sat beside him, the room silent save for the occasional voice floating in from the living room. She let him drink half the coffee before she spoke again, some of the tightness left his shoulders once the caffeine hit him. 

 

“Do you want to talk about whatever has you down?” She curled her hands around her mug, eyes on him as he faced her and sighed. 

 

"Can I ask you something?" He asked sounding nervous, setting off a swarm of butterflies in her stomach.

 

"You can." She said and wanted to cringe at how worried she sounded but he only smiled softly at her.

 

"I want to know you, Manon. I don't need your whole life story but I want to know the little things." He said in a rush and she melted a little, she loosed a breath and nodded her permission.

 

"Only if I can do the same with you." She offered and he thankfully agreed.

 

He thought for a moment, a chuckle falling from his lips before he spoke.

 

"Tell me, what's your favorite movie?" 

 

She snorted a laugh, expecting something completely different but still pleased.

 

"Uhm, it's a tie between Dirty Dancing and How to Marry a Millionaire." She grinned at his surprised look.

 

"Did you have a thing for Swayze then?" he asked cheekily.

 

"Oh, yes, he was an angel." she breathed, sounding way too dreamy for someone that carried daggers the way normal people wore jewelry.

 

He only laughed and playfully rolled his eyes, she asked him the same question and waited impatiently for his answer.

 

"The Equalizer. Anything with Denzel is automatically my favorite." He said and she smirked, she liked that one too but preferred Flight.

 

“My turn now.” She wiggled her brows at him, biting back a smile when he looked nervous.

 

”So, how old are you Jake?” She asked brightly and his brow furrowed, confusion clear on his pretty face. 

 

“I was expecting the hard questions.” He admitted and she shrugged.

 

”That’s predictable. I want to know if I’m right in my guess that you’re older than me, that’s all.”

 

He cocked a brow, clearly unsure of her age now she’d asked for his. 


“I’m 35, 36 in December.” His hushed voice made her feel like he was imparting some great secret or gossip, both things she loved.

 

”When in December?” 

 

He chuckled, “December 13th, how old are you?” 

 

She smiled, satisfied she had been right. He didn’t look his age but it was in the way he held himself and the confidence he had with her. She clicked her tongue, wagging a finger at him as though she was reprimanding him before replying. 

 

“Never ask a lady her age, Jake. Gods, how uncouth!” She teased and he rolled his pretty eyes at her.

 

”You love it, now tell me.” He grabbed her hand, threading their fingers together before resting their joined hands on his lap. 

 

“I’m 30. My birthday is on the 29th of March.” 

 

“I’ll try to remember that.” He jested and she scoffed.

 

”If you forget it you won’t live to remember it again. I like presents so don’t be mean.” She laughed and he smiled indulgently at her, eyes flashing with delight. 

 

“Anything else you want to know? How about my favorite color?” He was joking and playful again, the heaviness lifted once more. 

 

“Actually, yes! What is your favorite color, Jake? I simply must know or I won’t sleep tonight.” 

 

He snorted, eyes boring into hers for a long moment as he thought, the answer pleasing her.

 

”Emerald green.” 

 

She smiled, “Funny before I met you my favorite color was red.” She was toying with her hair, playing coy and trying not to melt every time he looked at her. 

 

“And now?” He murmured, swaying closer to her until she could smell his addicting scent and feel the heat coming from his body. 

 

“Now, I’d have to say blue.” She rested her chin on her hand, a soft smile on her lips as he watched her steadily. 

 

“Good answer.” He replied, voice low and enticing, making her skin prickle and burn, she usually only heard this tone when he was buried inside her telling her what to do. 

 

“Favorite book?" She ventured, stupidly excited for his answer and hoped it was one she had read too.

 

Jake cocked his head and sipped at his coffee, taking his time to think and she had to strangle the need she felt to tell him to hurry up.

 

"The Travelling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon. You?" He finally confessed and she felt victorious.

 

"Oh, he's very good! Loved him. Mine is 11.22.63 by Stephen King." She loved that book, so much so she reread it every summer. 

 

"I haven't read that one, I do like King though." he said sounding a bit sheepish.

 

"You can read it whenever, my copy is upstairs. You'll love it, I think." 

 

Jake nodded and they drank their coffees quietly for a minute, both of them trying to come up with something else to ask the other when Steve walked in and refilled his mug, standing across from them when he was done. He eyed Jake and Manon steeled her spine, squeezing Jake's hand to reassure him and herself.

 

"They get sick of you and kick you out?" Manon asked him and Steve chuckled.

 

"Nah, they're talking about a movie marathon later and I escaped when they started arguing between The Notebook and John Wick." He said dryly and Manon laughed.

 

"Make sure they choose John Wick, I love a bit of Keanu slaughtering his enemies." She sighed happily.

 

Both men shook their heads at her, Jake muttering, violent little thing, to which she wholeheartedly agreed.

 

"So, I'm Steve, Manon's best friend and honorary sibling. You're Jake?" Steve said, holding his hand out for Jake to shake and Manon held her breath until he did, pleased Steve was being kind. 

 

"I am, good to meet you," Jake spoke quietly but not weakly, Steve smiled at him and Manon was holding her breath, her nerves from earlier back with a vengeance.

 

"We should talk later when Mani is busy drooling over Keanu." Steve jested and Manon chuckled, Jake only nodded and squeezed her hand three times. She was too worried about them talking to ponder what it meant again.

 

"No embarrassing stories please or I will have Jake release the photos I took on your 21st birthday." She threatened Steve, knew he wanted those photos destroyed but she kept them for exactly these moments.

 

Steve held his hands up in a placating manner before replying. 

 

"Cross my heart, I'll be good, Mani." He teased and she huffed but was fighting a smile of her own. Jake watched them in his silent way but she felt no tension in him and was sure he'd get along great with Steve.

 

"Good. Okay, I'm going to get ready and then we can talk, Steve-Oh." She said and hopped off her stool, pressing a kiss to Jake's cheek before skipping off and running up the stairs, Jake soon followed behind her as Steve left to get ready too.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

Manon had driven Steve into town and they'd bought sandwiches and iced coffees from the Café to eat at Blackwater Lake. If her life was to be turned upside down she wanted a pretty view and good food in her belly first, thank you. They'd quickly devoured their breakfast sandwiches and were laying on their backs in the grass, the sun beating down on them and lulling her into a false sense of security which was shattered when Steve silently handed the file he'd been carrying over to her. With her heart raging in her chest and blood pounding in her ears she quickly skimmed through it, muttering darkly under her breath the whole time and ignoring Steve's chuckle every time she cursed. When she finished she slapped it shut and threw it down on the grass, her mind reeling.

 

"Why did they send it so fast? I was expecting him to make me wait." She finally gritted out, pleased that her demands had been met, but the rest...

 

“They want Magnus Adair's daughter back, losing you and your dad has haunted the Director.”

 

Manon sighed, “I’m Manon Corvin. Not Adair.”

 

Steve threw her a no-nonsense look and she rolled her eyes, “Legally you’re Manon Corvin-Adair.” He pulled something out his back pocket and Manon froze, her vision narrowing on the rectangle of black leather he now held in his palm.

 

“He wants you to have this and to tell you he’s given the go-ahead to use whatever you need here and they’ll provide it.”

 

Manon gingerly picked it up and flipped it open, the badge glinted in the sunlight, and her 23-year-old self looked back at her with brilliant, unscarred eyes. Her full name was signed in her messy script and she felt like she was back in that room when they’d first given it to her. Manon groaned and stood up, beginning to pace, her mind whirring as Steve sat up and watched her warily. She whirled to face him, coming to terms with everything quicker than she thought she would. Special Agent Adair. A title she had never expected to enjoy again, it fit her better than she remembered. 

 

“And they agreed to all my conditions?”

 

Steve gave a resolute nod.

 

“Why? They don’t give anything for nothing. What’s the catch?”

 

“The catch..” Steve looked away, Manon's gut flipped and she braced herself, “You finish the cases your dad left behind and continue with some of his work in the media.”

 

“Gods fucking dammit! No way. Tell Christopher he can go fuck himself.”

 

Steve snorted, “You want me to tell the Director of the FBI to go fuck himself? The man will have me killed before I can finish that sentence, Mani.”

 

Manon growled, the nickname cutting into her like a dull blade and reminding her too much of the past. She had been tired of living in her dad's shadow, this meant fully cloaking herself in it. She’d worked hard to prove herself and wasn’t going to let them steal it from her.

 

“He has no right to ask that of me and he knows it. I almost gave my life for him. My dad did. I have given enough and I still promised more but this is too much, Steve.”

 

Steve got to his feet and walked over to her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders before replying.

 

“It’s not an all-the-time thing. I know you and your dad had multiple books in the works that you could finish. Christopher is only asking you to do that and hold a few interviews every so often, nothing on the scale your dad did. Your name still carries weight, Manon and it'll help you too. I know you've missed it, you can't tell me you aren't just a little excited about this.”

 

Manon hated this, she’d left Manon Adair back in Pinella, the name too heavy to bear and she’d promised herself she’d never wear it again, even though it felt like a betrayal to her father. He would hate that she’d given it all up, all she’d ever wanted was to be like her father but when she lost him it all stopped meaning anything. She’d solved the case that almost killed her, jailed the people responsible, and killed two of them. It should’ve been enough but still, Steve was right, there was an emptiness that haunted her, the thrill of the chase and catch. She missed it. But she wasn’t alone anymore, didn’t want to fuck everything up and that was what she was really upset about. The spark of excitement was growing hotter though, she wanted everything she asked for and could only hope she wouldn't crash and burn.

 

“I want to talk this over with Christopher. I won’t just blindly do what they want, they have to work with me not the other way around. I won’t let them rule my life again.” She finally replied, the heavy weight of everything seemed to ease a little now she had the might of the FBI behind her again. She smiled wide and true, looking up at Steve's kind face. 

 

Steve smiled back, “There she is. I’ve missed you, Mani.” He said sounding so genuine and she couldn’t help laughing, his arms tightened around her and she sank into it, the familiarity of it feeling odd in this strange town.

 

“I’ve missed you too.” She sighed against his chest, relishing the comfort for a moment before stepping back, “ Can you set it up? A video call will do, I don’t want him to come here yet.” She asked urgently.

 

“I’ll call him, you hold all the cards here, he’ll give anything to have you back.”

 

“Good. Because it’s going to take everything and then some.”

 

Manon picked up the file and cradled it to her chest, certain she was doing the right thing even if it meant she had to visit the memories that still woke her screaming in the middle of the night. Looking out over the lake, the water glittered under the sun, the breeze ruffling the surface and upsetting the serene calm of the place. Manon breathed in deeply, savoring the fresh air and the heat of the day, no wonder this was Jessy's favorite place, it was beautiful here. Deceptively so, she mused, it was difficult to remember someone was out there causing havoc when faced with this postcard-perfect spot. The dress she was wearing left a lot of her skin bare and she relished in the heat of the sun, knew it would bring out the freckles she loved and associated with summer, Steve's face already had more than he had this morning. She closed her eyes and enjoyed it for a long moment, Steve doing the same until she threw back her shoulders and nudged him with her foot.

 

“Right we better get back before they come looking for us. We can talk more, later on, Jake will give us space if we need it. But don’t say a word about any of this or my dad to them, I still haven’t told them.”

 

Steve frowned, “Not even to the guy you’re clearly in love with?”

 

Manon reared back, shock stilling her tongue. Steve gave her a feral grin and crossed his arms, speaking before she could open her mouth. 

 

“I have eyes, Manon. He feels the same way, by the way, you know how to pick them don’t you?” He poked her side and she giggled, her heart soaring at his words.

 

“Fuck off. If I hadn’t found you, you’d be in a cell somewhere. You’re welcome.”

 

Steve laughed, his warm brown eyes delighted and seeing way too much, his face quickly turned serious.

 

“You can’t save everyone, you know that right?” He said gently and Manon stiffened.

 

“Of course I do. But I can still try..”

 

“You do know they want him too? He managed to break through encryptions even we can’t. The two of you would be the biggest boon for them, you’ll have to tread carefully… and you’ll have to tell him.” Steve’s tone was soft but she heard the steel in his words. She knew that and planned to but her stomach became a nest of snakes whenever she thought about it, she wasn't sure how to actually say the words. She hadn't ever done it out loud before but for him, she'd try and hope he didn't bolt when he found out he was sleeping with one of the people he was running from.

 

“I know. I just don’t know how to even begin that conversation.” She eventually said and Steve nodded, understanding her at once and knowing she didn't need a solution, just to talk.

 

“I’ve never known you to shy away from a fight before Manon, sure you haven’t gotten soft?” He nudged her with his shoulder as they walked and she threw a sharp elbow into his side.

 

“You want to try me and find out? It didn’t work out well for you the last time.” She reminded him and he laughed.

 

“No one trained me to fight so you had the advantage.”

 

She agreed and they chatted about how drastically his life was about to change. Happiness shone clear in his warm eyes as he spoke, she was delighted for him and couldn't wait to spoil this baby rotten, she was determined to be the cool aunt.

 

“You’ll be a great dad, I can’t wait to see you with a baby.” She smiled as they walked back to the car, Manon scanned their surroundings every now and again just in case they were being followed or watched but there was nothing but them and the myriad of insects dive bombing for them.

 

Steve laughed nervously, “I’m fucking terrified, Mani. But I can’t wait either. What about you? Any plans to settle down and trade in the daggers for nappies?”

 

Manon paled, “Not a chance.”

 

Steve cocked a brow, “Does he know that?”

 

“It’s my fucking uterus. He doesn’t get an opinion.” She said defensively, not really meaning it but he’d hit a sore point and didn’t know it.

 

“You haven’t talked about it have you?” He always knew and she wanted to run.

 

“Of course, we haven’t. We’ve only been together a week. It’s a bit early for the babies and marriage talk.”

 

“Accidents happen.” He prodded and Manon wanted to shoot him in the foot so he couldn’t follow her back.

 

“Not with me they don’t, trust me.” She said with a wicked smile, unlocking the car and getting in.

 

“You are being careful though?” He asked once he'd buckled his seatbelt and she huffed as she started the car, pulling out onto the main road, back to the house.

 

“You know, just because dad asked you to look out for me it doesn’t mean you get to act like him!” She exclaimed, a bit angry now.

 

Steve laughed in the face of her bad mood, which only irked her more.

 

“I’m not, I’m just being sensible and that’s why you don’t like it.”

 

“Well, being sensible never got me anywhere. And yes I’m being careful, the doctor gives me a shot in the ass every 3 months, and thanks to the bullets that pierced my organs I have basically zero chance of getting pregnant.”

 

Steve smiled and she caught the pity in it but for once it didn't upset her, she didn't want kids and had realized that long before the choice was taken from her. She told him that and he relaxed back into his seat.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to pry. You need someone to look out for you though, whatever you have with him seems different Manon. You never cared before or stayed with them long enough to worry what their reaction would be. You love him, don’t deny it, I can tell.” She’d opened her mouth to do exactly that but snapped it shut, eyes darting away from him.

 

“I forgot how annoyingly observant you are.” She hissed and he chuckled.

 

“I learned from the best.”

 

“Yes, I regret the day I offered to teach you some tricks.” Manon sighed but smiled.

 

"Anyway, I'm sure he'll take it well and you won't have to worry about it hanging over your head anymore." Steve said and Manon hoped like fuck it was true.

 

The rest of the drive was filled with safe topics, catching up after so long apart and making plans for when their lives calmed down, if they ever did. When they walked back into the house Steve followed her up to her room, claiming he'd have a chat with Jake while she watched John WIck with everyone, they'd thankfully vetoed Jessy's demand for a Rom-Com. Manon shook of the urge to spy on them as they chatted and only kissed Jake soundly, his surprised grunt making her grin against his mouth. She pulled back before it could get interesting and gave Steve a pat on the back, hissing, Be nice or I'll stab you, as she walked past him. Manon headed downstairs and settled on the couch with Jessy and Lilly, both of them smiling openly at her and she found herself looking forward to a movie night, even as she worried about the conversation going on above them.

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

Jake

 

 

Jake was apprehensive as Steve grabbed Manon's desk chair and dragged it over to sit facing him, his heart thumped heavily in his chest and he couldn't help but feel he was meeting the parents in a way. He could still taste Manon and hoped it would be enough to keep him calm enough to discuss everything in a friendly manner. It was clear in the way she'd panicked over his arrival that Manon loved and cared about Steve very deeply, he wanted to come across well. Steve seemed carefree and smiled at him easily, Jake opened his mouth to ask him what this was about when Steve clasped his hands, a habit he'd come to love in Manon and it calmed him, the familiarity of it easing the strangeness of it all as he began talking.

 

"I've known Manon since we were too young to know better. She saved me from something that could have ruined my life and since then we've had each other's backs. She's my sister in everything but blood and I will always be there when she needs me. I am not arrogant enough to believe she needs me to do this but her father would haunt me if I didn't. So, let's get it done, and then we can go join them for their movie marathon, how does that sound?"

 

Jake quirked a brow, this definitely felt like a meet the parents conversation and he wanted to pass whatever test was being laid on for him so he nodded, forcing his shoulders to relax as Steve spoke.

 

“The thing about Manon is she’s fiercely loyal. Once she’s committed to something only an act of God or as she likes to say, the gamer running her simulation could make her change her mind. And she’s decided you’re what she wants, is she what you want?” Steve’s voice wasn’t threatening or angry, he was coming from a place of concern and Jake was so fucking glad Manon had someone like that in her corner. Jake felt no hesitation or doubt as he replied.



“She is. I tried to keep things platonic in the beginning but she…” he trailed off, not sure how to say it but Steve grinned and did it for him.



“She wouldn’t let you. I know her better than I do myself, you were fucked the second she caught a sniff of the mystery behind you. She lives for that shit.” He chuckled and Jake inclined his head, it was true from what he’d seen so far.



“Shes… unlike anyone I’ve ever met. She held a knife to my throat the first time I met her.”



Steve laughed, a full-on belly laugh, and Jake couldn’t help but chuckle too.



“That just means she likes you, it’s when she holds the gun to your head that you need to worry.” Steve joked and Jake raised a brow.



“That happened to you?” He asked and Steve smiled, it seemed Manon wasn’t the only one with a thing for violence. What was in the water in Pinella Pass?



“It didn’t but it was close. She’s one hell of a shot too. She’s good with the knives but those are usually the last resort. Has she told you of her training?”



Jake shook his head. “We haven’t actually discussed her life before now, she asked for time and I’m giving it to her.”

 

Steve sighed, “She will now, she’s been through hell and back again, she’s tough. But she also feels more than most people, she struggles with it. With her you'll never know peace but you'll never be bored." Steve snickered and Jake laughed, he was well aware already and looked forward to more of her specific brand of chaos. He found it charming and exciting, he never knew what was coming next and it was so new for him he hoped he never stopped being surprised by her.

 

"Peace is overrated," Jake said and Steve graced him with a genuine smile, appraising him for something and only answering when he seemingly found it. Jake had no idea but he must’ve passed some test.

 

"It is, you haven't known peace for a while, have you?" He prodded and Jake snorted derisively.

 

"I can't remember the last time I felt at peace but when it's just her and me here, that's the closest I've been since I was a teenager." He met Steve's eye and let out the breath he was holding when he saw the acceptance clear in his eyes.

 

"Good, cling to that. When everything goes to shit, cling to it and you'll be fine." Steve said simply and Jake found himself agreeing, he'd already planned to do just that if it all burned down around them.

 

”I love her. I haven’t told her yet, but I do.” Jake said, his voice thankfully coming out strong. Steve smiled knowingly and leaned forward, lowering his voice.

 

”I know. You should tell her though, you’ll feel better once you do.” 

Jake chuckled, looking at his hands for a moment and he did feel like a weight had been lifted saying the words to someone. It had been a constant battle to keep them behind his teeth, every time she made a joke or smiled at him or had that wicked gleam in her eyes, they tried to crawl out his mouth. He hadn’t wanted to spook her by saying it too quickly but it was getting harder to keep them locked away. Steve nodded as if Jake had said all of that out loud and he saw Manon in the mannerism, the years he’d known her obvious. 

 

“Has she told you anything about me?” Jake asked and Steve’s face didn’t change, he’d be a hell of a poker player. 


“A bit. Enough for me to have this conversation with you.” He hedged and Jake understood, he knew what he was and still encouraged him with Manon. He had to know why. 

“Why didn’t you tell her to run the other way? I was sure you’d come here and tell me to leave her alone.” He admitted and Steve laughed. 

“Because when we were young and stupid, she saved me from a situation very similar to yours. Her father did really, but she was the catalyst and he wouldn’t have done it if she hadn’t thrown a fit. It’s thanks to them I have a career doing the very thing that almost cost me everything.” He looked at Jake meaningfully until it clicked and Jake swore, mind blown now.

 

”Fucking hell. You’re joking? Does she have a thing for hackers?” He joked and Steve cringed.

 

”Thankfully not, we were always just friends and then basically siblings when I moved in with them. She just likes to help people and will do anything to do it. Including throwing a tantrum the likes Pinella Pass had never seen to get her dad to agree.” He chuckled and scratched at his neck, Jake could imagine it vividly. She was a force when she wanted something. 

“It explains a lot actually. Why she jumped into all this so easily, I never got it but now I do. I feel guilty everyday for dragging her into this mess and the more time I spend with her the worse it gets. I can’t watch her get hurt.”

 

Steve heaved a sigh, his voice gentle and reassuring when he spoke.

 

”Look, she can handle it. You’ll understand when she tells you about her Dad. Just for the love of the gods don’t let on you’re worried about her safety, she’ll do something twice as dangerous just to prove to you she can do it.” 

Jake barked a laugh, completely understanding Steve because he’d already realized that himself. She didn’t like to be boxed in or worried over.

 

”I’m sure she would. Shall we go down and watch people get killed then?” Jake offered and Steve stood, slapping his hands to his knees as he nodded. 

Jake led the way downstairs and into the living room, finding Manon wedged between Lilly and Jessy, all of them glued to the screen as Keanu hunted the man who killed his dog. Manon was critiquing the fight scenes and explaining what was realistic and not to the others. She smiled as soon as she saw him and he felt that bloom of warmth in his chest again, sure his heart was in his eyes as he smiled back and she shoved Jessy down the couch so he could sit beside her. He laughed and apologised to Jessy but she was practically in Richy’s lap so she wasn’t too fussed.

 

”Hey, Jake. He didn’t try the ‘if you harm my daughter I know all the good places to bury you’ talk did he?” She narrowed her eyes at Steve who’d sat beside Thomas, Thomas actually spoke to him to Jakes surprise but then Steve was oddly easy to talk to.  

“He didn’t, we’re good don’t worry.” He whispered to her and tried not to smile too hard when she swung her legs over his thighs and pulled his arm around her shoulders, shifting until she was comfortable, head resting on his shoulder. He idly stroked his fingers along her bare legs, another dress today though not as scandalous as the red one had been. It was a deep blue, the colour striking against her skin, two bows tied it on at the shoulders and he had to stifle the sudden need he had to untie them. It had a vintage look to it which she paired with the red lipstick he was quick becoming obsessed with. She looked like a dream and he wanted nothing more than to crawl under the skirt and feast on her, the smirk on her lips when he met her eye again telling him she knew where his mind had gone. 


“Do you have a kink for dresses, Jake?” She breathed into his ear, the wash of hot air making him shiver. He gave her his cockiest smile and pressed his lips to her ear so nobody else would hear him. 

“Like you have one for my hands, and other things, Manon?”He dragged his hand along her leg again in emphasis and grinned when she made a tiny sound of distress, the others too busy watching the movie to notice them. 

“You’re a cruel man, Jake.” She hissed and he choked Down a laugh. 

“You started it, sweetheart.” He taunted and she lit up at the nickname, eyes luminous and full of fire as she looked at him.

 

”I guess I did, sweetheart?” She settled against his chest again, her fingers picking at his shirt over his heart. 

“I don’t know, it just slipped out.” He said truthfully and she chuckled, his heart beating out of time when she met his eye.

 

”Hmm, it’ll do, I suppose.” She said and nodded once, Jake chuckled. 

“Would you prefer babe or baby?” 

Her entire body seemed to cringe at that and he bit down on the inside of his cheek to keep from laughing too loudly. 

“Definitely not, sweetheart is fine.” 

Jake hummed, “Good choice.” 

Manon pinched his nipple and chuckled when he jolted and snapped his teeth at her ear. Both of them beyond noticing that everyone was watching them, especially Steve. Jake wanted to kiss her, those red lips like a rag to a bull and he wanted to taste them. Manon lifted a brow, the challenge clear in her vivid eyes and he accepted it. She opened to him the moment he licked at the seam of her lips and brushed his tongue along hers, she tasted like white wine and something sweet like honey. He chased that taste and lifted his free hand to cup her face, pressing her harder to him and drinking her in. He almost forgot where they were when she wriggled against his cock, already half hard and she’d barely touched him. It always felt like coming home after a long, hard day, she made him feel wild and safe all at the same time, it was intoxicating. He flicked at the roof of her mouth, savoring the way she melted against him when he did and her hand slid up his chest to tangle in the hair at the nape of his neck. She slanted her mouth to give him better access and the kiss turned messy, both of them forgetting where they were. 

“Uhm guys, can you keep it PG-13? There are children here.” Dans voice cut through the haze swirling around Jake and Manon, she didn’t let him go until he tugged on her bottom lip with his teeth. Manon gave Dan the middle finger and rolled her eyes.

 

”What the hell are you talking about? There are no kids here.” Manon shouted to Dan and Dan smirked, pointing at Thomas who was oblivious thanks to Steve and his ability to make friends with anyone. 

 

“I don’t want to see that.” He waved his hand at them both and Manons retort was instant. 

“It’s my fucking house, Jack. Don’t like it? Go to your room.” She laughed and Dan roared a laugh. 

“Just sayin’, Nancy Drew. You love me really.” He joked and Jake shook his head even as he fought a smirk. Dan still hadn’t warmed up to him and he had a feeling he wouldn’t for a long while. 


“I don’t know about love, tolerate you, definitely.” 

 

Dan reared back with an obnoxiously loud gasp, hand pressed over his heart as he affected a hurt look.

 

”You wound me, Nonbon!” He exclaimed and Manon giggled, he couldn’t help smiling at her. 

 

“You’ll get over it.” She sniffed and relaxed again, Jake resumed casually stroking the silken skin of her legs. 

 

When everyone was suitably absorbed by the TV Manon turned to him. 

“Shall we go make some food for these ungrateful people?”

 

She spoke so quietly that only he heard it and he was glad of it so that Dan wouldn’t jump in again. He nodded his agreement and got up once she had untangled herself from his lap. The others paid them no mind as they left the room and headed into the kitchen, Jake appreciating how Manon looked in that dress as he followed her. The words were at the edge of his mouth again and he wasn’t sure if he could keep them behind his teeth for much longer. Instead he fished around his brain for something else to say, anything else and settled on something he’d wondered just the other day. Manon was busy pulling things out of the freezer and turning on the ovens.

 

”What’s your favourite flower, Manon?” 

She finished loading trays into the oven, deciding on a buffet style dinner so everyone could grab what they wanted and sit back down to finish the movie, only answering once she set the timer. 

“My favourite flower? Uhm, pink peonies. Gardenias too. Oh and sunflowers. Why?” She looked confused but also quite pleased. 

“I just wondered.” He tried to sidestep the question but he should’ve known better. 

“Are you planning to buy me flowers, Jake?” 

She sidled up to him, a sly smirk on her lips and he sighed through his nose even as he smiled at her. 

“Can’t you wait and be surprised?” He joked and she grinned wickedly at him.

 

”Nope. I like to know. If you do buy me flowers don’t buy lilies. Can’t stand the fuckers.” She scrunched her nose but her eyes were dancing with mischief. 

“Why not?” He asked and was surprised when she seemed to shrink a little. 

“When my dad died people sent lilies, so many of them I was falling over them for months. I can’t stand the smell or sight of them now.” She admitted quietly and he pulled her in for a hug, pleased when she immediately fell into it and let him comfort her. 

“No lilies, I promise.” He whispered and kissed the top of her head, letting her pull away and focus on making a salad to go along with everything else. They worked together, chatting and playing the entire time, it was so easy to simply exist with her. 

 

Later once they were in bed, exhausted and sated, he listened to her breathing deepening and watched her face relax into sleep. When she began murmuring in her sleep and the light of the moon gilded her silver, he finally felt brave enough to let it out. The words tripping over themselves as he finally voiced them. 

“I love you, I love you so much it terrifies me.” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Notes:

Thank you for reading! If you fancy leaving a comment, please do, it’ll make my day! The next chapter shouldn’t take so long, it’s already in my head I just have to get it out lol I shouldn’t have said I wouldn’t do Jakes POV often because I’m one of those people that if you tell me not to do something I’ll do it twice just to prove I can lol