Actions

Work Header

Marked Me Like a Bloodstain

Summary:

Manon Corvin is many things; a survivor, a fighter and a problem to anyone who stands in her way. She will not give up until she has everything she asked for.

She moves to Duskwood to save Hannah, her friends and the man she’s falling for, Jake. Together they will face their demons, the human kind and the ones that haunt them in the middle of the night. There are many battles to fight before they can win the war. The worst is yet to come and Manon does not plan to lose. She lost in the past and still wears the scars.

Desire burns bright and hot amidst the blood and threat of death. It’s delicate and will change both of their lives. Manon can only hope she can stop Jakes past from catching up to them and pray that hers stays where it belongs, if this dark town doesn’t tear them apart first.

A shameless love story with a side of mystery solving and suspense. Not a retelling of the game, the bones remain the same but a complete retelling would be boring. An alternate ending to the game and a different villain.

Notes:

A warning before you read this Fic.

This is romance focused with plot on the side, it is not a slow burn romance, it’s not quite insta love but they have been falling for each other online so when they meet they already have feelings for each other. I’m not going to slow them down.

My characters aren’t teenagers, they’re adults so they will face adult situations and there will be bad language, explicit scenes and violence. All future sexual scenes will be consensual and very much wanted though.

The MC is Manon Corvin, pronounced Muh-Non and this is from her point of view. Expect lots of inner musings and dialogue, dirty thoughts and overthinking.

One last thing, this is not a full length chapter, it’s an introduction into the mind of Manon Corvin.

With that out of the way, please enjoy and leave a comment if you wish!

Chapter 1: No one likes a mad woman, you made her like that

Chapter Text

 


”What did you think I’d say to that?

Does a scorpion sting when fighting back?

They strike to kill and you know I will

What do you sing on your drive home?

Do you see my face in the neighbours lawn?

Does she smile? Or does she mouth,

Fuck You Forever.”

*******

Mad Woman - Taylor Swift 

 

 

 

*********

 

It had been a wet, listless day in Duskwood, the cool hands of spring not quite loosening their grip as summer tried to make its debut. Creeping mists settled over the forest like a blanket, shielding it from her suspicious eyes and making the town feel cut off from the rest of the world. The sky was a livid bruise over head, shades of black and purple, veins of red and pink making it all the more dramatic.

 

Manon Corvin stood on the outskirts, staring into the tangle of tree limbs, stupidly expecting the one she hunted to appear before her but she was completely alone. Still she watched and waited. It was as if she were at the site of an accident, knowing she shouldn’t but unable to look away and offer dignity in that moment. The scent of the forest was intense here, rich earth, pine needles and decaying foliage creating a heavy perfume that made her nose twitch. She sighed deeply, her breath clouding in the cold evening air as she turned her back on the menacing sight and faced the town proper.

 

Duskwood was a beautiful place, a kaleidoscope of colour amongst all the green, a tiny town hiding a dark history under a pretty veneer. The quaint store fronts and perfect flower displays doing their best to cover it up but she saw traces of that darkness everywhere she looked. She had seen so many terrible things happen here she didn't allow herself to trust the warm, welcoming feel of the town. No, she knew all too well it hid its sharpened claws and teeth underneath the petals and purple-pink skies, knew if she wasn’t careful it would swallow her whole.

 

Strolling back down the street she passed a few locals, all of them eyeing her as if she was an apparition, an alien transplanted here from another world and knew that in their eyes she was. She stuck out here where everyone knew everyone else by sight. No doubt the whole town would know a stranger was in their midst by morning. Thanks to the maniac hunting in this place everyone here was too aware, especially  of random people stalking the streets at night. It wasn’t a bad thing to be watchful, she just wished she could use it to her advantage. Pulling her hood over her head to cover her distinctive white hair, she made her way back to the motel. Thankfully she hadn’t strayed too far.

 

Manon had reached the parking lot when she felt curious eyes on her, the hair on the back of her neck lifting in warning. She stopped, suddenly uneasy as she turned in a slow circle, eyes scanning her surroundings, taking in details and dismissing them, finding nothing but her own paranoia. She was completely alone as the last dregs of dusk left the sky, even the locals had scattered taking any sense of safety she’d felt with them. Refusing to let her over anxious mind take over, she chided herself and steeled her spine, striding confidently across the lot to the motel door and let herself into her room.

 

Jake would lose his mind if he knew she was out alone in Duskwood at night, especially because she’d promised to stay far from here. Locking the door behind her and closing the blinds, ensuring the window was locked as well. Safe but feeling caged in she threw herself onto the bed and grabbed her phone off the nightstand. Pulling her hair out of its ponytail, sighing in relief as the weight of it was released and she massaged her scalp. 

 

The motel wasn’t the best she’d stayed in but it was clean and cheap, though she needn’t worry about money it did help to ensure it was booked full enough for her to hide here unseen for a few days. She planned to meet her friends soon but had wanted a few days on her own to set things in motion. Manon wanted to observe them from the sidelines before inserting herself into their lives in a tangible way and see if there was room for her in their real life. Plus she didn’t want Jake to get wind of her being here yet, knew her friends couldn’t keep a secret this big with him watching their chats.

 

As was usual these days, her mind circled back to him and she opened the messenger app, checking for new texts and found a few. Jessy asking if she had any news as she’d been quiet that day. She fired off a quick reply and opened the ones from Jake, finding three waiting for her.

 

Jake: How are things going on your end, Manon? How are you feeling? :)

 

Jake: I have made preparations for the next part of our investigation, are you available to discuss them?

 

And then, a worried tone coating every typed word.

 

Jake: Manon, please let me know if you’re okay. I can’t focus on anything when I’m worried about you. 

 

Manon smiled softly, his worry for her was touching but she was terrified he’d try to track her location if she left him hanging much longer. Her mouth twisting at the lies she had to tell him until she was ready to show her hand. Thumbs flying across the screen as anxiety won, her lie coming easier than it should’ve and watched as he instantly came online. 

 

Manon: Hey, Jake! I’m absolutely fine. I’m so sorry, I fell asleep and just woke up. I didn’t mean to worry you.

 

He started typing immediately and she held her breath, stupidly waiting for him not to believe her, sighing in relief and regret when he did.

 

Jake: :). You don’t have to apologise. 

 

Jake: How was your day?

 

She grinned at his attempt at small talk, he hadn’t gotten any better but she still loved it and couldn’t wait to speak to him in person, to see if he spoke that way in real life.

 

Manon: My day was good, long and boring but good all the same, how was yours?

 

It was true, the flight here had felt long and dull, the day she’d spent here even more so. Tiredness addled her mind as she toed off her boots and crawled under the covers, not bothering to change out of her clothes her body was so heavy with fatigue. 

 

Jake: Apart from worrying about you mine was similar, my days are always endless when you’re not around, Manon.

 

She hummed in pleasure at his reply. He had an almost Shakespearean air to him, he was both romantic and awkward but she found it endearing since it took her so long to get him to open up.

 

Manon: I’m here now, do you have time to chat?

 

Jake: I don’t but I’ve made time for you.

 

Manon: Aw you’re sweet. Okay tell me one good thing and one bad thing that happened to you today? 

 

It was a thing they had started, at the end of each day they traded their bad and good as an excuse to keep talking and to find something bright even on the hardest of days.

 

Jake: Hmm, the bad thing would have to be the Chinese place forgetting to include my fortune cookie. My good thing is knowing that you’re safe at home.

 

Her stomach gave a sickening lurch, guilt festering and twisting her up in knots. Her thumbs were hesitant as they typed a reply.

 

Manon: How do I compete with that?

 

Jake: it’s not a competition ;). Tell me, Manon.

 

Manon: Okay, the worst thing was putting my house on the market, I’ll be sad to see it go. Positive? I’m in bed at last and talking to you  

 

Truth mixed with lies. She wasn’t sad about selling her home, she was glad to see the back of it and start fresh. Start over in a place where no one knew her face and the people didn’t watch her with pity in their gaze as she passed by. 

 

Jake: Why are you selling your house if you’ll be sad?

 

Manon: Because I need a change of scenery, a lot of bad things happened here too and I no longer wish to be reminded of them.

 

Jake: Would you like to talk about it? I’d be happy to listen.

 

She chewed on her lip, wishing she could tell him of the things that kept her awake, haunting her in the middle of the night but she didn’t want to have that hard conversation over texts.

 

Manon: I will, one day but not right now. I don’t want to spoil my happiness.

 

Jake: I understand :). What are you doing now?

 

Manon: I’m wishing I’d thought to order Chinese food. Now you’ve mentioned it, I’m starving!

 

Jake: Would you like me to send you some?

 

Her breath caught, shit, did he know where she lived? It wouldn’t be surprising given his skill set, he seemed to care enough for her to do that and she hadn’t had that in a long time. 

 

Manon: Nah it’s fine, I’m too cozy to get up and answer my door but thank you! Did you look me up, Jake?

 

Jake: No need to thank me, I just want to make sure you’re looking after yourself, you’re dealing with a lot. Yes, only your home address, in case I ever needed it but that’s all, I promise. 

 

Manon: I know and I’m grateful for you, nobody else cares the way you do.

 

Jake: That’s not true, you have your friends in Duskwood too.

 

Manon: Yeah but I don’t trust them the way I trust you, at least not yet. You’re the only one who cares enough to ask how I’m doing.

 

Jake: Manon…

 

Manon: Are you blushing again? I can feel it from here. 

 

She chuckled, making him uncomfortable was a pleasurable past time of hers, he rarely reacted but when she poked and prodded enough he opened up to her and always said such pretty things.

 

Jake: I don’t deserve the faith you have in me but I’ll be selfish and let you keep it.

 

Manon: I never cared for religion, I find faith in people I care about and myself. What about you? You mentioned Chinese food but have you been sleeping? I worry about you too

 

Jake: I caught two hours earlier and that’s all I need to keep going.

 

She frowned, wishing he could read her emotions through the screen. 

 

Manon: Jake, that’s not enough. Get to sleep! I won’t be responsible for keeping you awake.

 

Jake: I’d rather talk to you than waste time with something as boring as sleeping.

 

She wished she could stay up all night talking to him but her long day had caught up-to her, exhaustion weighing her down in the bed and making her eyes burn in their sockets.

 

Manon: Just promise me you’ll try to sleep some more? Exhaustion makes us sloppy, trust me. I may fall asleep again, don’t worry if I do. 

 

Jake: Sleep, Manon. I’ll be here when you wake.

 
She stopped fighting against the weight of her eyelids and fell into an exhausted sleep, a soft smile still playing on her mouth after his promise. When he’d been on the run she’d been terrified, thought she’d never talk to him again and it had felt like he’d dropped off the face of the earth. Manon had despised it so deeply she’d asked him to promise he’d always find a way to let her know he was safe, it had translated into him promising her he’d be there the moment she woke every night. It eased her into sleep far quicker than any of the pills her therapist had prescribed her. 

 

************



The peace didn’t last, her dreams becoming a torment.

 

She found herself in the middle of the forest with no idea how she’d got there. Darkness pressing in around her as she raced through it on bare, bloody feet frantically trying to find her way back out. Branches snagged on her clothes and whipped at her face, snarling in her long hair as she fought her way through the pines. Her head swivelling side to side trying to catch a glimpse of whatever it was she was running from.



She didn’t see the tree root, so focused on what was behind her she forgot to check in front of her.

 

Manon tripped, a surprised yell lodged in her throat as she went flying. Her body curling in on itself to absorb the blow as she hit the ground and rolled and rolled. She came to a stop on her back, blinking dumbly at the sky as she mentally scanned herself for any injuries and finding none she pushed herself to her feet. Her breath sawing in and out of her chest as she took in her surroundings, heart in her throat as she strained to hear the one who chased her.

 

She’d fallen into a small clearing, finally able to see the sky above her instead of trees and it was then she spotted the memorial, the large boulder sitting prominently in the centre. The gold plaque gleamed under the light of the crescent moon, she crept closer to it on careful feet, bending over so it was at eye level, squinting as she tried to make out the writing but the moon hid behind a cloud. She was blind now. Her hearing sharpening when a twig snapped behind her.

 

Silence followed briefly, so quiet she swore it was deafening. She whirled as a dark laugh wound its way through the trees, she stood straight preparing to fight though she was weaponless. As he stepped into the clearing she finally saw the mask, the jute bag crudely sewn together to hide his identity.

 

Ice doused her insides, helplessness a bitter taste in her mouth she watched as he stepped into the clearing, his hand hidden behind his back. He said her name but that’s all she heard, fight or flight battling within her and neither winning as music cut through the night, startling her and drowning out whatever he was saying. Stupidly, she looked around for the source of it but found none, her eyes snapping back to the masked nightmare as he raised his arm. Her eyes had adjusted to the darkness now and she could see the gun clearly, fear froze her where she stood. 

 

Manon’s keen eyes saw his finger wrap around the trigger a second before the shot rang out, saw the bullet speeding towards her as though on a time lapse and knew it was inevitable. There was no time to move or avoid it, there never was. The bullet ripped through her shoulder, blood and bone both giving way to lead and the force of it knocking her down, an anguished scream tearing her throat. 

 

Sprawled in the mud, her life’s blood spreading macabre wings beneath her, warming her even as everything inside turned cold. Her eyes trained on the sky as the masked man stood above her, the barrel of the gun aimed at her chest and she didn’t feel it hit her when he pulled the trigger one last time. She only felt something vital wink out and she was thankfully numb. He simply stood there watching as she choked on her own blood, that damn music still echoing in her ears before everything went blessedly black.