Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2022-03-15
Words:
263
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
1
Hits:
14

Misplaced Blame

Summary:

Nöla receives a gift from Liu Yee, but she isn't happy about it.

Notes:

Lux Pain, beating on my head: Hey remember that challenge you haven't worked on in nearly eight years? I think it's time to get back to it.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Work Text:

Nöla let out a yawn as she pulled herself out of bed. It wasn't easy acting as tech support anywhere, least of all FORT, but it needed to be done. She cherished the days she got a good night's sleep, but this was the sort of work that couldn't be left alone for long.

To her surprise and confusion, there seemed to be a potted flower on her desk. She was even more confused when she read the note attached to it that said it was from Liu Yee.

Marigolds, if she recalled.

Her eyes quickly narrowed. Liu Yee wasn't the type to send a gift, let alone something like flowers. There had to be some sort of meaning to it.

Nöla sat down and did a quick search on flower language. She quickly scrolled through the list.

Lilacs, lilies... Ah, there's marigolds.

She paused for a moment as the definition on screen sank in.

Cruelty.

Her brow furrowed even more as she suddenly understood the "gift". Her lips curled into a scowl.

Why was Liu blaming her for sending him a new partner? She wasn't the one in charge of that. All she did was direct the boy (Saijou, if she remembered his name correctly) to him so that Liu could continue his work.

Nöla leaned back in her chair, giving a slight rub to her temples. Eventually, she sat up straight and glared at her computer screen as she entered a search for flower shops in the city Liu and Saijou were currently stationed at.

Two can play at that game.

Notes:

Marigolds, according to the language of flowers: Cruelty, grief and jealousy (Source: https://www.auntyflo.com/flower-dictionary/marigold)