Actions

Work Header

City of Ghosts One Shots (UPLOADED FROM WATTPAD)

Summary:

Hey!

This is a story on wattpad by me, but i thought it might get more views if I put it on here as well!

This is a fanfic of the book series City of Ghosts by V.E Schwab

NONE OF THE BOOKS AND CHARACTERS ARE MINE, THEY ALL BELONG TO THE AUTHOR, THE ONLY THING THAT BELONGS TO ME IS THE ONESHOTS I WRITE

First chapter is the rules, have fun!

Chapter 1: Rules

Chapter Text

Hello Readers!

 

I have an account on Wattpad that this originated from and its called captainbriit.

A few things before I get to the rules

City of Ghosts does not belong to me, the three books in the series are all by the amazing author V.E. Schwab. All characters belong to them. The only things belonging to me in this fanfic are the stories I write.

Another thing is I haven't finished the series yet. I've just finished the first book and the second one is coming this week. So I don't know any characters that are in the second and third book yet.

Now the rules:

1. Certain ships are ok, but only appropriate ships, no x reader, oc's are allowed for ships, also no Cass x Jacob cause I see them as friends and it makes me uncomfortable. Everything else is fine though.

2. No smut or anything like that

3. For the moment, no spoilers from the second and third book. I haven't read them yet so please keep the oneshots either with info from the first book, or just a random story that doesn't center around the other two books.

4. I will sometimes do headcanons to still post but not a full story, you can also submit headcanons and I will write a oneshot based off them.

5. I'm fine with changing the characters and giving them small headcanons that aren't stated in the book (eg, sexuality, pet peeves, disorders) and writing oneshots about them.

6. Please respect the choices I make and the headcanons I give the characters myself. If I don't do your oneshot, it may be because I'm really busy or I don't feel comfortable doing it. If I don't feel comfortable, I may ask you to request something else.

7. You are allowed to requests as many times as you want. I know there aren't many fanfics and stuff like that for this book series so if you like it and just want to request again and again go for it!

Chapter 2: Oneshot 1

Summary:

AHHH Thankyou so much for requesting! Request again and again if you want!

this oneshot is requests by: dudeilovebats

I hope you enjoy!

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Cass’ life had changed forever since she had returned from the hospital after nearly drowning in the frosty river. She sat in her room, thinking about the day, thinking about the boy who saved her.

It had been a week, a week since the whole incident. The mysterious boy had disappeared by the time other people were there at the lake, and then reappeared in the hospital, but it was clear that no one could see him. She ruled it as hallucinating. But she could remember him so clearly.

He had golden hair that flopped over his forehead and he had a long-sleeved super hero T-shirt on with the sleeves rolled up. She couldn’t remember the hero though. She remembered his baggy jeans and his scuffed up shoes.

She opened her eyes and screamed when she saw the boy face to face with her. His blue eyes were uncomfortably close to hers.

“Thinking about me?”

“How on Earth did you know I was thinking about you?” Cass remarked as she pulled her face away from the boy..

“Mind reading. It’s a perk to being a ghost, which is pretty surprising to say as there aren’t many good things about being a ghost-

“Ghost? You’re a ghost?” Cassidy interrupted the boy’s rambles with surprise. Of course, with her parents being The Inspecters, she had had her fair share of a paranormal life, but seeing a ghost with her own eyes, she couldn’t believe it.

 

“Yep, unfortunately.”

“There’s no way you're a ghost. You saved me from the river.”

“Believe me, I’m just as confused as you are. I don’t know how I was able to save you from the river. All I know is that I did, and I’m also a ghost,” the ghost shrugged, “it’s as simple as that.”

“If you’re a ghost, how come I can see you?”
“I have no idea. The whole time I’ve been a ghost, no one’s been able to see me. You’re the first one.” The ghost stared at his feet, as if uncomfortable with the news he was sharing.

“Maybe it had something to do with you saving me, thankyou, by the way.”

“No problem.” The ghost put his hand to the back of his nape and looked back up at Cass.

“I’m Cass.” Cass introduced to the ghost but the ghost seemed less enthusiastic to give her his name..

“Cool. Hi Cass.” He stated.

“And you?”

“Uhhhh. I should probably be going.”

“But-”

The ghost was already gone. Just like that, he disappeared out of her room. It proved to Cass that she wasn’t hallucinating him, the ghost actually saved her from the river. Suddenly, she heard a knock on her door and her father was poking his head through the door.

“Who are you talking to, hon?”

Cass shrieked in surprise as she heard him and turned quickly towards her door.

“Uhh, no one.” She started quickly.

“Are you sure?” Her Dad questioned.

“Yeah, knowing me I was just talking to myself without knowing it. No need to worry!” She faked a smile, hoping that her Dad would buy it and leave her alone.

“Ok, but if you need anything, your mother and I are downstairs.” He smiled as Cass thanked him and closed the door.

Cass sighed, she would need to be more careful talking to that ghost if she didn’t want her parent’s thinking she was mad.

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the next week, she kept seeing the ghost, and kept having short conversations with him, but he never stuck around and she never found anything out about who he was and how he died.

Cass was walking to a coffee shop a block away from her house. It was a quick walk and she was almost halfway there. Cass looked around her and she noticed an almost transparent teen watching her. It was the ghost.

“If you wanna talk, we can. You don’t have to hide.” Cass called out to the ghost.

“I don’t wanna talk,” he replied, “I’m just bored. That’s all.” The ghost said and he walked up to her.

The two walked in silence for most of the trip, Cass tried to start conversations but none of them worked.

“So…..” Cass stated, “you like Captain America?” She gestured to the shield on the ghost’s t-shirt and the boy’s face lit up.

“Yeah I do!….Do you read the comics?”

“Yeah I do, but I think I like the movies better.” Cass stated.

The ghost hummed in response and smiled.

“What’s wrong?” Cass asked.

“Nothing. It’s just been a long time since I’ve talked to someone.”

The rest of the walk the two talked. Luckily no one else passed Cass as forgot most of the time that the boy she was talking to was a ghost, and people would think she was mad.

The rest of the walk was over almost immediately in Cass’ mind and she stood in line at the coffee shop. She ordered a hot chocolate and sat down on a wooden bench close to the coffee shop but out of sight from everyone else.

“That smells so good” The ghost commented, “I wish I could eat and drink.”

“You can’t?”

“I’m a ghost, Cass. How would I be able to eat?” He laughed and Cass laughed along as well, realizing that it was a stupid question.

“Wait, I’ve told you my name, but you haven’t told me yours,” Cass remarked and turned to the ghost, “so what is it?”

“Jacob. My name is Jacob.” Jacob stated.

“Well Jacob, if you don’t hide forever. Maybe we can be better friends.”

“It would be a good idea, because we’re somehow tied together. We ought to figure out why we’re connected.” Jacob said.
After a while, the two walked together back to Cass’ home, not knowing that the coffee shop trip had sparked one of the most peculiar friendships ever seen.

Notes:

Sorry the ending's sort of rushed, I didn't know how to finish the story :)

I hope you enjoyed and request all you want!

Chapter 3: These girls can see ghosts but can't see how much they pine for each other?

Summary:

Sorry I've been gone for so long! I've had writers block and a lot of work at school, but I'm back and here's a new oneshot.

Requested by: snowdropcalamity

Chapter Text

Cassidy heard her doorbell ring and she ran up to it in excitement. She swung it open and saw Lara at her front door with a large suitcase. Lara had somehow convinced her parents to let her stay at Cassidy’s for the summer and the two were overjoyed to spend the rest of the holiday together (Jacob wasn’t).

“It is so great to see you again!” Cass squealed and hugged her friend, “we can go and put all your things upstairs, Jacob is up there too.”

“I’m sure he is so happy to see me.” Lara commented and Cass laughed.

“He totally is.”

As the two walked up the stairs Cass looked at Lara, it had been a year since they’d last seen each other in person and Lara had definitely changed, she still wore the same Ravenclaw inspired clothing, but she had grown taller and her hair was longer. Cass felt her face getting hot, but firmly told herself off inside her head.

‘She doesn’t even like you like that, just let this vacation be normal and not weird.’

When they got to Cass’ room, Jacob was scrawled on her bed reading a comic book, the pages seemingly turning on their own is what a normal person could see but both Lara and Cass both stared at Jacob as he looked up at them.

“Lara, a pleasure seeing you again.” He said in a monotone voice.

“Don’t imitate me, Jacob.” She stated.

“Oh come on, let me have fun.”

“Jacob, be nice. I want you guys to get along this summer.”

“How can we get along? She’ll be trying to kill me!”

“I’ll make sure she won’t.” Cass said, “Just be nice.”

Lara watched the two squabble but didn’t realize she was focusing more on Cass than on the argument. Cass had definitely matured in the year since they had seen each other, her face had a more mature look and Lara suddenly felt too hot in her sweater and took it off. She definitely did not have a crush on Cass, Cass doesn’t like her, she doesn’t like Cass. They’re only friends.

For the next hour the three caught up, well it was mainly Cass and Lara but Jacob had the occasional comment that Lara would usually ignore.

Cass and Lara seemed to be looking at each other a lot, and when they were caught staring, they would quickly turn their heads away. Jacob noticed this, and a smirk came to his face. He had a new goal for the summer.

The rest of the day's hours flew by too quickly and consisted of Cass and Jacob helping Lara unpack, even though Jacob wasn’t really helping and was just making fun of the things that Lara had packed.

Evening came and the friends had decided to put on Harry Potter for the hundredth time. Jacob rolled his eyes and stood up.

“Well, I’m getting tired, I’ve gotta go to my ghost world and do ghost things now. See ya!”

“You just don’t wanna watch Harry Potter!” Cass shouted as her best friend disappeared.

“Looks like it’s just you and me,” Lara commented and the two girls looked at each other, both visibly blushing but too oblivious to notice.

Jacob watched from the window. Yes, his plan was already working.