Actions

Work Header

Chapter 12

Summary:

Apologies for being slow! Work got crazy… and then I got COVID :(

Chapter Text

Spock had shielded his anger from his bondmate, who he had managed to coax into a fitful sleep, but behind those shields he allowed the rage to flow freely as he picked up the phone.

“It’s quite a situation we find ourselves in, Spock,” the Romulan Commander said.

“It is a situation of your own making.”

“Now, wait just a minute–”

No,” Spock replied icily. “You have allowed yourself to be blinded and manipulated by Christopher Pike. He falsely told Nero that I was behind his family’s demise. He killed Vreenak and tried to frame my bondmate. I have obviously put too much trust in you, allowed you too much leeway, if you can so easily become a puppet.”

There was a beat of silence on the other end, and Spock felt a delicious twist of satisfaction in his gut: the Commander was surprised that Spock knew about Pike. “I will require proof of Pike’s involvement in Vreenak’s death.”

“Providing you with proof is not my concern,” Spock snapped.

“Now, that isn’t fair–”

“How long have we known each other, Commander?”

“I-I’ve known you your whole life.”

“And have I ever failed to keep my word?”

“No, you haven’t, but–”

“Then you can trust my word now. This, I swear to you: I will not stand for any more of your games. Perhaps you were simply incapable of controlling Nero. Perhaps you thought his boldness would allow you to seize more power for yourself. I do not care. Nero is dead, and Christopher Pike will follow. If you stand in my way, if you try to punish my bondmate for Pike’s deeds, if you try to move against the Vulcans, then I will see the House of Karzan wiped from the streets of this city. Nowhere will be safe for you. I trust I make myself clear.”

“Yes,” the Commander whispered, and Spock was pleased at the fear in his voice. “Yes, you do.”

“Now tell me: where is Christopher Pike?”

“I don’t know. I swear to you, Spock.”

“How is such a thing possible?”

“He’s an ally. He doesn’t work for me.”

Spock scoffed. “Pathetic. Do you know Pike's goal, Commander? He desires war between our two houses. He seeks to weaken us both so as to seize power for himself. Whether or not that war happens is your choice. But he has also miscalculated badly, because the House of Surak would easily win any war. Your very existence in this city, the power you hold, has all been what I have allowed you. And if you cross me now, Commander, I will take it back and see you and your House dead.”

He did not wait for an answer before hanging up the phone.

There was a part of him that wanted nothing more than to act, now, against the Romulans. To rain down terror upon them. But his bondmate’s voice echoed in his mind: Spock, that isn’t what I want! At least give them the chance not to go to war. It was not what Jim wanted, and on some level he was right: it was not the strategic thing to do, either. Destroying the Romulans would not return Jim to him.

Besides, the action he was about to take would weaken his position considerably in the eyes of his enemies. The Romulan Commander was frightened of him, certainly, but he was also a master strategist and opportunist. And so despite what he had told the Commander, he began to put plans into motion. He made several phone calls, and then summoned Vorik to his side. When Vorik had left, T’Pring was there waiting for him.

“You cannot do this,” she said, expression determined, voice fierce.

“It is already done.”

“It is not done. You are still here.”

“If we are able to locate Jim in time, then I will not need to go through with it. If not, then my decision is made."

“Do you believe Pike will kill Jim?”

It would perhaps have been prudent to lie, but Spock did not wish to. “No, I do not. But he will harm my bondmate in other ways. Unacceptable ways.”

T’Pring’s gaze searched his face for a moment, and then understanding dawned. “Spock, it is a terrible thing, of course, but–”

No.” Spock rose from behind his desk. “I will not allow it, T’Pring. He has suffered enough, and I swore to keep him safe. I have failed him twice over. I cannot allow this to happen.”

“And what would you have us do, without you?”

“Carry on. Pike knows the House of Surak will not follow his orders, but he is foolish enough to think that without me, it will be brought to its knees.” Spock allowed himself a cold smile. “That is because he does not understand us. And because he does not understand the bond. I will still be with you, in every way that matters.”

“Not in every way,” T’Pring protested. “Our power is weakened without you. Everyone knows you are our leader. Our best hope of avoiding war is the power you wield over the Romulans.”

“Perhaps, but if that is the only thing holding them back, it will be an uneasy peace indeed. We must find our way to true peace, now, or we must suffer war.” Spock knew he was right in this. But it wasn’t the whole truth, either. Perhaps he owed it to her, his most trusted lieutenant after Jim himself: “I must do this, T’Pring, whatever the cost. But I do not believe it will be too high for us to pay.”

“And if the price is your life, Spock?”

“Then so be it.”

T’Pring’s posture did not slump–she was too elegant for that–but Spock could see the defeat in her eyes all the same. “Tell me what you have planned.”

***

Jim drifted back into consciousness, knowing that something was wrong but briefly unable to grasp what it was. And then it all came flooding back: the horrible situation he found himself in.

With a jolt, Jim realized that he was not alone, that Pike was standing in the room, watching him with an inscrutable expression. “Well, Jimmy boy, it seems like the most enjoyable part of our reunion is going to have to wait.”

“What do you mean?” Jim asked, hating the way his voice wavered.

“Turns out takin’ you here was one of the smartest moves I’ve ever made. You see, Spock cares for you so much, he’s going to take your place.”

Jim’s blood ran cold. He was going through all this to protect his bondmate, and while Pike might hurt him, he could kill Spock. Through the bond, he screamed: "Spock, don’t do this!”

“Do you not understand? I swore to protect you, and that comes before anything.”

“I chose this risk! It was my decision to go. Please don’t do this, please.”

“It does not matter. You have been hurt too many times, and I will not let it happen again.”

“You can’t do this, you can’t! What happens to the balance of power with you gone?!”

“You see, without him,” Pike continued, unaware of the bondmates’ conversation, “There’s no way in hell the Romulans won’t seize the opportunity for the war to start.”

And God, Pike was right. The Romulans were afraid of Spock. Without him in power, and without Stonn who had been by his side for so long, they would think they had the perfect opening.

Spock, there’s no way there won’t be a war if you’re held captive!”

“We will win a war if it begins, Jim. We will find and destroy Pike. But I cannot do this before he hurts you, and that is unacceptable to me.”

“I’m begging you, Spock, please don't do this, please.”

“You cannot ask me to let you suffer.”

Desperation flooded him. Everything was crumbling. There was going to be a war. Everything they’d worked for would end. And Spock was delivering himself into the hands of their enemy. The very idea of Spock being hurt made tears of terror and anger spring to his eyes.

”What if he hurts you? If he kills you?”

“I would rather die than see you suffer, Jim.

“No! I don’t want to trade places with him!”

Pike smirked. “I know you’re sorry to be leaving me so soon, but unfortunately his condition is that I can’t touch you. Not that I much care for his rules, but I’m afraid there isn’t time for it, and there's a good chance they'd be able to tell. Still, you don’t need to worry. When this is all over, I’ll find you again, Jim. And then it’ll be you and me, and nothing will tear us apart.”

“No…” ”No!