Actions

Work Header

Unstable Ground

Summary:

With his investigation of AMS Bank at an impasse, intelligence officer Naoto Hidaka finds he has no choice but to seek out the man who boasts inside knowledge of the business and its owner. Meanwhile, a demonic cat on the loose makes it its mission to make the exchange fall apart.

Notes:

This may be slightly canon divergent as far as little details go, because differences in localization and the source material are truly difficult to keep straight. As a specific note, Rainbow Hill is referred to by the more consistent title of Crimson Hill. It is canon compliant as far as Naoto’s rough in-game fate goes, so keep that in mind.

It’s both suggestive and twisted but there’s no dubious consent. Please do not expect anything less of me❤︎

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Work Text:

Crimson Hill was a sight for sore eyes. Dyed in vivid red from the setting sun, the view from the top promised at least one satisfying shot to top off the disconcerting handful of that cat. Despite already having gotten a solid workout wandering through much of the city, Naoto didn’t drag his feet on his way to the crest. Seeing that wide expanse of the ocean would ease some of his worries, and he’d built up several just since morning. The extra effort was worth it.

He didn’t expect to be alone, exactly. There were too many people in Kisaragi that loved catching the sunsets there for him to always have it to himself. The surprise that stopped him in his tracks was instead recognizing the other visitor: first, as a foreigner; second, as the man he’d meant to meet earlier in the day.

[My name is Graham Miller. I am the one with information on AMS Bank. You may find me wearing a teal suit.] What a strange correspondence that had been. Naoto wasn’t sure who had gotten this man in contact with him in the first place, but with his investigation stagnating and the city rising in infections, he would take what he could get.

Miller walked beside the railing with his arms firmly crossed, his focus fixed in the direction of Area 7. His fashion sense was definitely eccentric, but his tall, slender frame cut a nice figure against the last passionate glow of the sun. Naoto lifted his camera on reflex — he’d taken to snapping photos of attractive women around the city to suit the persona of “Naoto Hidaka” already. Although he caught himself doing it mindlessly and paused, he soon had Miller in his viewfinder regardless. He could never be too careful with his camouflage.

After several quick shutter clicks, Miller turned his head to find the source and stopped. His expression was somewhere between startled and indignant. “Has no one ever told you it’s rude to take someone’s photo without permission?”

Naoto smiled, lowering the camera to let it hang over his chest. “I’m sorry. I didn’t expect to see such a handsome stranger up here this evening,” he told him, and Miller’s eyes narrowed doubtfully. As Naoto stepped closer, he added, “I also didn’t expect that person to be the one I was supposed to have a meeting with today. You’re Graham Miller, right?”

A light of recognition flipped on. “You’re the contact? Where have you been?”

“I looked for you all around Area 2, like we planned.”

“I assure you I said Area 5.”

“Is that where you were waiting?” Naoto scratched his head. “That’s too bad. I wonder how we got that mixed up.”

Miller sighed loudly. “Spies are so difficult to communicate with.”

Naoto briefly glanced around, confirming they were alone. This man was a bit too loud with that information. “Hey, if I knew this was what you looked like, I would have managed to find you sooner.”

With a chuckle under his breath, Miller tapped at one of his arms with the opposite hand. Even so, his shoulders relaxed. “Do you expect flattery to get you off the hook for this?”

“It’s not flattery. You won’t find anyone else in this city that looks like you.” That wasn’t wrong, but he was leaning on disarming the man through flattery.

“Hmph. Well, my cute little spy, what is your plan now that you’ve found me this late?”

Naoto blinked. He didn’t like the address at all for several reasons, but he had a frivolous act to maintain. “Cute? At least make that “handsome”.”

“Fine. What is your plan now that you’ve found me this late, my handsome little spy?

“I would still like to talk business with you, if you don’t mind. This doesn’t have to be a wasted day for either of us.”

Miller thoughtfully stared out at the disappearing sun. After a moment, he said, “You caught me on my way back to where I’m staying, but I’m feeling merciful today. Buy me dinner and show me you’re worth my time.”

It looked like Naoto had gotten involved with a troublesome person, but it could’ve been much worse. From how well things were going so far, the Shinen white noise was either working properly or he wasn’t dealing with a telepath at all. Whoever’s mistake it was that they’d missed their earlier meetup, he was willing to take the blame for it to make some progress.

“Let’s go, then. I’d be happy to make it up to you.” He warmly gestured in the direction he’d come from, toward the quaint shopping district lower on the hill. “I know just the place to impress you, too.”

“Oh really? You have my attention, my handsome little spy.” With a smile, Miller turned on his heels to continue his stride where he’d been directed.

Naoto fell into step closely beside him. He craned his neck over enough for his lower voice to reach Miller’s ear, then spoke without moving his eyes from the paved path ahead. “You’ll have to stop with that spy thing when we’re around other people.”

Miller wasn’t ruffled by the proximity or the criticism. “You know my name, but I’ve never been told yours.”

“Oh, right. Naoto Hidaka. It’s a pleasure to be working with you.” Faced with a foreigner (and used to them enough himself), he extended his right hand for a handshake. Miller met his gaze with curious tawny port wine eyes, then accepted it. After a firm shake, he kept his arms at his sides instead of closing them off again.

“Hidaka it is,” he said simply.



Down by Triple Step and Jardin, there was also a respectable upscale restaurant called Cramoisi. Naoto hadn’t needed a reservation the two other times he’d visited, and this late, he expected they’d missed contending with any dinner rush. To keep Miller from walking right past it, he moved his hand to the man’s lower back to guide him toward the door.

“This is the place,” he explained after he’d already made contact and Miller glanced over. He was gradually looking less surprised by Naoto’s antics and more mildly entertained. “You really have to try the steak. I’ve only rarely had better.”

“I’ve been here before, Hidaka.” As naturally as if Naoto’s hand wasn’t there at all, he allowed its presence to continue until he’d entered the restaurant ahead of them.

Cramoisi’s interior was warmly lit, well under the threshold of shocking the senses of someone coming in around dusk. The setup was a chic mixture of polished wooden floors, borderline antique furniture, and contemporary fixtures like the spherical lights casting their soft golden glows overhead. Even if half the dining room wasn’t empty, the atmosphere was pleasantly isolating all on its own.

There was no one to wait behind in getting seated. Surveying the place even as the hostess was leading them through the tables, he spotted an empty one in the furthest corner. The next seated pair was well out of hearing distance. “Miss,” he began to get her attention. “Is it all right if we take that one?”

Her eyes followed where he was pointing. She hesitated for a second, then nodded. “Please give our waitress a little extra time to get to you.”

“That’s fine. I can take it for being an inconvenience.” He smiled broadly at her, and she returned a thin-lipped one.

“You’re a valued customer, not an inconvenience. Please, take a seat.”

Miller, quiet until she left, took his place on the opposite side of the table and crossed his legs underneath it. His posture was more open than before. “And why did you decide we should be this far back?”

“Remember when I said no one else in this city looks like you?”

“You want privacy, but you think I draw attention,” Miller stated plainly.

“You think you don’t?” Naoto asked, raising his eyebrows.

The corner of Miller’s mouth curved up. “I know I do. I don’t mind it.” He lifted his hand and pridefully smoothed down his black cravat. “But for you, I’ll mind it tonight.”

“I’m honored.” Naoto moved a hand to his chest — the camera had long since moved to its case — and made a mock, playful bow. He looked down at the empty wine glasses on the table before righting himself. While they were brightly reflecting the nearest hanging light, it was difficult not to. His full attention moved back to Miller afterward. “Since you’ve also visited, what do you say I pick the entrée and you pick the drink? You look like the type to know more about wine than I do.”

“I agree with that. I wouldn’t take you for a wine expert either,” Miller replied, slowly examining him. “Do your best, I suppose. As long as your palate is refined enough, I’ll impress you.”

“Haha, ouch.” Although he feigned insult, it was refreshing to spend time with someone so sharp tongued. The other people like that in the city told him to get lost from the start. “What do I look like to you, then?”

“I’ll be honest if you want the answer to that.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“You look like an air-headed man who values practicality far over style. But I don’t think you’re stupid, or you wouldn’t survive your line of work.” Their eyes met. Naoto had to admit that was a conclusion he couldn’t avoid with someone who knew half of what he was hiding. It wasn’t worth denial or overthinking.

Miller’s gaze trailed over him again, lips still poised as if about to speak to express he wasn’t finished. “...And “handsome” may suit you more than you intended.”

Naoto crossed his arms on the table and leaned over them, grinning. “I’m glad to hear that last one, at least.”

Miller snorted. “Leave it to an American to not know when to be humble.”

The process of ordering went smoothly. Both were strongly convinced their choice needed no discussion, and the other didn’t object. Naoto had never tried the selected wine before, so he decided was looking forward to it.

Left alone again, Naoto asked another question. “How long have you been in Kisaragi?”

“Not long,” Miller answered with a shrug. “I came here a short time before Mr. Steiner.”

“How long have you worked for AMS Bank?”

“Ah-ah-ah. You haven’t gotten back into my good graces just yet. I’ll consider those questions after dinner.”

Naoto laughed. “Fine wine is enough for that?”

“And good conversation.”

“Now that’s something I can offer.”

“Tell me, then. How long have you been in Kisaragi?”

“I arrived less than two weeks ago, but I’ve been in the city before. The view from that hill has something nowhere else does, and I can never quite capture it on film.”

“I can appreciate the photography of an expert. Will you allow me to take a look?”

“Of course.” Pulling out his camera again, he turned it on. He planned to hand it over then, but unease gripped him when he recalled the photos of the cat. He’d just skip well past those first.

Naoto stood up and moved to Miller’s side of the table, pulling one of the spare chairs closer to him. He held out the camera between them. “Just press that button to zoom in, and that one to move to the next shot.”

Miller nodded, accepted the camera, and began studying them intently. He gave each a thorough look-over, and there were few better compliments than that. When he found the first photo of sunset at Crimson Hill, he paused for even longer. Interested, Naoto leaned over.

“You see it, don’t you? At least, as well as my skill can capture it.”

“You choose strange things to be humble over. You elevate it beyond what I can see when I look out from there myself.” Miller made eye contact when he returned the camera, and Naoto held it.

“Has anyone ever told you you have captivating eyes?”

Miller cracked a disbelieving smile. “Is everyone in the CIA as eager to please as you are?”

“I’m one of a kind. I hope you don’t mind.”

“I’m still deciding. Now, back to your chair before someone returns.”

Naoto graciously followed the order, turning his camera off as he did. He was getting the feeling that convincing the man he was too shallow to be a threat was already as well done as it could be, but it was fun to keep at it. Besides, there was something that Naoto couldn’t put his finger on about the eyes framed by Miller’s long brown curls. Even without an expression of any intensity, there was a depth behind them that could suck someone right in.

He was asked a few more questions about photography after that, and Miller patiently listened. The inquirer laughed when he received one in return: no, if he was an experienced photographer himself, he wouldn’t be half as impressed. Before Naoto could dig any further into Miller’s own passions, their tabletop began to fill, first with the food and second with the wine Miller had instructed to arrive at the same time.

Raising his glass as the waitress left, he held the calm, deep red liquid over the center of the table. “To the start of our new partnership.”

Naoto lifted his glass in return, pleasantly surprised by receiving the invitation at all. “To our new partnership,” he replied, and they lightly clinked their glasses together. Mirroring each other, they both chose to taste them first thing afterward, but Miller more conscientiously swirled and held his nose over his first.

“Mmm. I’m more of a spirits guy to be honest, but you’re right. This is top quality stuff,” Naoto said cheerfully over the rim of his glass. His appreciation for alcohol was one part of this persona that wasn’t an act, but an adult that didn’t enjoy something out there was pretty hard to find.

“You get a passing grade,” Miller remarked. “It pairs well with steak, so it will increase the quality of that as well.”

“I hope it’s up to your standards even before that.”

“We’ll see, but your good intentions are noted.”

The result was that he didn’t sing the meal’s praises, but he did look satisfied. That was enough for Naoto, the one more energetically clearing his plate.

In the time their mouths were too full to politely speak, Naoto focused on sorting out his impression of the man across from him. The informant whose message had put him on guard felt like a completely different person to the one he was seeing so far, but everyone had more than one face. They might’ve both been working to disarm each other at the same time.

It didn’t really matter that much if Miller was also doing it to protect himself. Naoto didn’t want to dwell on the worst case scenario instead. The automated message he’d set up on Shinji Naruse’s fantastic computer system would take care of it whether he allowed himself to overthink it or not.

“What’s the plan now?” he asked as casually as he could as he worked out covering the bill. “We still haven’t had much of a chance to discuss things.”

“I was headed for the church before you stopped me on the hill, and I should still return to it. I am in a better mood, so we could take our conversation there.”

“The church? Why?”

“I know the priest. He is allowing me to stay there as long as I remain in this city.”

Naoto whistled. “That must be nice. My apartment’s pretty expensive for a temporary stay. Anyway, I’m interested in what you have to say, so I’ll take you up on that.”

It wasn’t ideal that he was always getting pulled around at Miller’s pace instead of setting some of it himself, but it couldn’t hurt either. The information he was waiting on was key to getting closer to finding the Original, and he found he didn’t resent the idea of spending more time with him at all.



Santa Maria Church was a unique presence in town, surrounded by a wide stretch of green lawn and concrete. Naoto always thought the shallow circle of water separating the two was a nice touch, but this was the first time he took the neatly spaced steps over it. Not quite as tall as the building that fortune teller’s business was set up in, the style of the church made it look more imposing than it was. Without a single light on inside, the ambiance of the place was even stranger.

Miller comfortably led him past hedges and flowers and right through the front door. It hadn’t given any resistance. “They just leave this unlocked at night?” Naoto asked him in a low voice, feeling even more pressure from the look of the church within. It was a less busy design than many he’d seen in other countries, often as plainly white as the exterior, but they’d spared no expense on the stained glass or the sanctuary.

“They’ve never had a burglary, so they feel no need to,” Miller replied. “They also offer safety to people in emergency situations, and those happen as easily during the night as in the day.”

“Interesting. Where’re you staying?”

“Near the back of the first floor. I’ll show you.”

Not long after, Naoto ultimately found himself led into what appeared to be a decently furnished guest room. He had to admit he was impressed. “I didn’t know they had places like this in a church,” he commented as the door was shut behind him.

“This was once a wealthy family’s home. It was heavily remodeled, but it absorbed some of the old building all the same.”

“Awfully nice of them to lend it to you,” Naoto said as Miller took a seat on the center edge of his bed. Amusement touched the other’s expression in response, and he crossed one long leg over the other.

“Very kind of them indeed. Would you like to start asking your questions?”

Having sat down enough at dinner, Naoto ignored the free chair for the moment. He leaned back against the wall across from Miller and folded his arms. “AMS Bank. How long have you worked there?”

“Five years.”

“And you know Edward Steiner personally? Why weren’t you listed as some kind of assistant or secretary?”

“You wouldn’t be speaking to me to begin with if AMS wasn’t excruciatingly secretive about what goes on around that man, would you?”

“Fair enough.”

“I came to this city ahead of Mr. Steiner to confirm this branch was operating up to his standards. A few of the employees have been acting strangely, but the same could be said for the rest of Kisaragi’s citizens.”

Silent was behind that, of course. He didn’t have to fill Miller in on that detail. “Why is Edward Steiner out here in Kisaragi?”

“He has a plan he believes he can only execute here. I don’t know all of the details, but it involves some kind of machine.”

“A machine?”

“Yes. I believe this goes back as far as when he established this branch ten years ago.”

Naoto went quiet, attention fixed on the floor. That was long before the incident in Shanghai, and as far as he could tell, also long before Kisaragi got as bad as it was. Something had changed more recently.

Miller asked the next question. “Why is the CIA interested in this?”

“We’re supportive of our foreign allies. Japan needed assistance.”

“Oh, I doubt that. I know how the US operates. Something involved in this has affected you all personally.”

Despite the desire to keep it a secret, Naoto exhaled. This was supposed to be give-and-take. “A few of our own were killed by someone that went crazy after visiting this city. I’m here to figure out why.”

“As a preventative measure or for damage control?”

“I guess it’s both.”

“Very admirable.” Miller smiled and held Naoto’s gaze when he looked back at him. It was distracting enough for Naoto to forget to say anything more until his plan from the week before resurfaced.

“Can you get me in to see Steiner myself? I tried before, but they turned me away for not having an appointment and said it’d be a few months before I could get one.” He wasn’t convinced that was true instead of an excuse to send him out the door, but there was nothing he could do about it.

“I might be able to work something out. Mr. Steiner can be a charitable man when he wants to be. Meeting with him could be dangerous with how much you now know, however.”

“I’ll take my chances. I won’t get anywhere by playing it safe.”

“That is true.” Miller moved a hand to his sleeve and pulled it up far enough to spare a glimpse of a watch. He didn’t appear moved by the time. “It’s getting rather late.”

“Is it? You’re probably right.” Naoto could catch the time on his phone, but he didn’t doubt Miller enough to bother. He uncrossed his arms and stepped away from the wall. “I’d better get back. I appreciate what you’ve told me so far.”

Miller stood. “How far away are you staying?”

“Area 5. It’ll be a walk, but I’m used to it.”

“Are you used to it at this time of night?”

“Not exactly.”

Taking several measured steps closer to him, Miller proposed, “Then stay here.”

Caught off guard, Naoto raised his eyebrows. It would be difficult to miss the implications of that, and acting like the idea hadn’t crossed his mind for even a second would be harder. When he didn’t dismiss it or head for the door, Miller moved even further into his personal space. There was an undisguised challenge in his direct stare.

Compliant as he was toward the end, Naoto still didn’t trust him. Something about the man unsettled him, and it couldn’t be fully erased by a simple conversation over dinner. He felt like Miller was playing some kind of game with him. Backing down would be a simple way to lose, and the only way to win was to match his attempts at controlling their encounter.

He decided he wanted to win.

“How considerate,” he said, lowering his voice as Miller’s fingers passed over his neckerchief. His own hand moved to the teal suit jacket, resting on the other’s hip. “You sure you have room for two in here?”

“Plenty,” Miller answered concisely. Nearly the same height, his face hovered comfortably beside his at the slightest angle of Naoto’s chin. The closer he became, the more his lips parted. They exchanged a shallow breath, and their top lips brushed. Naoto felt a shiver run through him before he closed his eyes and their mouths together.

Miller kissed almost agonizingly slowly. Even the pressure took time to build — he was feather light and tentative, and he leaned back if Naoto tried pursuing him more aggressively. Naoto couldn’t tell if it was teasing or genuine restraint, but it was very effective if it was the former. Once his hand curled over the short-clipped hair at the back of Naoto’s neck, he finally pressed in more firmly.

As one of his own hands reached the other man’s collar, something occurred to Naoto. Pulling just out of reach of another kiss, his eyes dramatically traced the ceiling. “You don’t feel bad about doing this kind of thing in a church?” In spite of the question, his fingers deftly pried at the black frills and the clear button beneath them.

“God can watch if he wants. I don’t know. I’m not Catholic,” Miller replied matter of factly, the fingers of his free hand slowly moving up the front of Naoto’s shirt. It was a fine time for him to feel proud of the strong body he’d maintained since becoming an officer.

“Neither am I.” Naoto traced his cheekbones and jaw with brief pecks. Miller tilted up his chin further as he moved lower, allowing them to continue down his newly exposed neck and catch his pulse racing just under his skin. The grip that had been on his suit jacket moved in to rest on his hip over the sweater vest instead, and Miller easily went along with Naoto pulling their bodies closer together.

Lifting his head, Naoto added, “I have to get to the high school early in the morning. Do you mind?”

“As long as I have you tonight,” Miller whispered, pulling Naoto’s face in again, “What you do tomorrow is none of my concern.” Eagerly, he stole another kiss.



That night, he dreamt of the Siamese cat. He took photos all over a deserted Kisaragi, and every time those piercing green eyes appeared in the picture where they hadn’t in front of him. In each consecutive shot they came closer. The hatred behind them grew stronger. Just as the cat crouched right at his feet, Naoto’s eyes snapped open and spared him of the horrible fate it had planned for him.

He sat up so suddenly that Miller stirred at his side as well. Running a hand over his haphazardly spiked hair, he forced a smile. “Sorry for waking you up. It’s hard to have pleasant dreams around here.”

Face to his pillow, Miller stared up at him, studying his expression in silence. His lips quirked up as if finding some part of it entertaining. “I also can’t sleep forever, so this is fine. I have a founder of AMS Bank to approach for someone today.”

“I appreciate it.” Catching the hour on his phone, he hurried out of bed to put himself together. He didn’t have the time to rush back to his place and improve the job, but he was never the most professional lecturer at the academy to begin with. This would do.

Miller pushed his hands down on the mattress and rose up halfway, exposing the bare length of his back. Peering out from behind his even more disorganized hair was alluring in a different way. If only the morning could last a little longer. “Come by again tonight and I’ll inform you of how it went. The church door will be unlocked again.”

Tying his neckerchief in place, Naoto nodded. “All right. I’ll check in when I can.”

“Good luck today,” Miller told him in an oddly knowing tone. Naoto, occupied by the nightmare, convinced himself he was imagining it.

“Same to you.”



The cat continued to haunt Naoto’s waking hours no matter how much he tried to forget. He printed out all the photographs the cat was in and tried to turn the disquieting feeling into quantifiable data in the computer lab, but his thoughts were even more scattered than usual.

Each photo was taken in a specific place. It had to mean something, but whatever that was continued to slip out of his grasp. He couldn’t fight the feeling that the cat was really right there with him, waiting for the blood it needed to fulfill its curse.

He managed to absentmindedly give one of his lectures before bailing on school for the day. There had to be somewhere he could relax, alcohol-assisted or not, and his feet brought him to Sweet Ring without his head thinking of much more than the paranoia of being stalked.

Kenichi Mido’s bright, welcoming store somewhat soothed his frayed nerves. The whiskey helped even more. He could tell the owner was reluctant to fill the first glass and even more for the second and third, but he could barely stand being left to stew in his obsession. He kept the photos spread on the table as if he could look away and the cat would disappear, dismissing all of his worries at once.

It never did. And so, he set off to kill it before it could kill him. His mind wasn’t as impaired by the alcohol as it was by the demon cat’s memory, and taking food last minute from Sweet Ring helped make the contrast even less bearable. He hated it, but he would have a better chance against it with a clear head than he would intoxicated.

Camera in hand, he chased the specter from one end of the city to the other. It didn’t appear in every photo, but it continued to show up in certain locations. After long enough, it clicked: the cat always appeared by the statues. It never materialized there, however, and he was unable to do anything but flinch against the malice contained in each photo with it.

It was maddening, but he had to eventually abandon his search. He was somewhat comforted by the idea that he was free of it if he wasn’t by one of Fumihiko Maki’s intimidating statues. That didn’t spare him from the fixation completely.

Darkness had fallen by the time he opened the church doors again. Both mentally drained and frustrated, he expected the second informant meeting to be more challenging. Miller promptly opened his door and let him in after Naoto knocked, and when they made eye contact, another impulse struck him.

“You don’t look well,” Miller commented, canting his head. “But if you’re ready to discuss Mr. Steiner, I—” Naoto cupping his face in his hand and pressing his mouth firmly to his cut him off. While he initially went rigid in surprise, he didn’t resist. Soon, his lips parted, matching Naoto’s effort, and he wrapped his arms around his neck.

Naoto cast aside his sweater vest and cravat in no time. He progressed several buttons down, his fear of the curse reduced to only traces with Miller’s heated breath against him, before the other man suddenly took initiative and yanked them both toward the bed. Landing solidly on top, Naoto couldn’t find anything to complain about.

He moved to Miller’s neck, kissing down the bare skin before grazing his teeth on the curve toward his shoulder. He caught the inviting sound of Miller’s breath hitching in his throat before the man started to speak.

“For how interested you were in AMS yesterday, you’re rather eager to skip past what you asked me to do.”

As if the cat would allow him to focus on anything else. “I can’t... I can’t even think about that right now,” he admitted, and for some reason, Miller started to laugh.

“You’re infected,” he stated suddenly. Naoto froze where he was. “I was sure you were this morning, but it progressed a lot faster than I expected.”

“...What are you saying?” Naoto asked. It wasn’t even an attempt at playing dumb; he was thrown too far off guard to come up with the idea.

“Silent. I know you know what it is. And it must’ve been that cute little cat that infected you.”

“I don’t get what you’re talking about.” Now he was playing dumb. Heart pounding with something beyond what this situation was supposed to cause, Naoto lifted his head to face him. Making another startling move, Miller brought both hands to his face and pulled it down.

“When you threw off your clothes last night, that accessory of yours stopped interfering with your Shinen,” he murmured with a corrosive sweetness, their lips barely separated. “That was a quite an oversight on your part.”

“You’re a telepath.” Pure dread crept into Naoto's heart.

“I am. I can also tell you that the one you’re looking for isn’t Edward Steiner or anyone involved with AMS Bank at all. The reason that man acted out in Shanghai was me.”

“The Original,” Naoto said breathlessly, pushing himself up and lifting his head out of reach.

It was all too cruelly specific to even wish it was a joke. He’d lost Miller’s game before he even knew he was playing it.

“How did sleeping with your target feel?” Miller asked him, and he couldn’t find the words to respond to that. After another low laugh, he tilted his chin up, daringly exposing his neck. He was serving the opportunity to try to kill him on a silver platter, and yet Naoto was too overwhelmed to take it. “You are CIA, but Naoto Hidaka isn’t your real name. Who are you, really? Do you know who you are under these masks you put on?”

“I…” He couldn’t do anything but feel more aware of the sweat building on his skin.

“You’re not that different from me. You fulfill your duties no matter how callous you need to be to do so. You would sacrifice countless people in this town in hopes of getting rid of the one person that killed you.”

He couldn't have messed up more in leaving the white noise generator out of reach for a while. There was no fixing a fuckup that monumental.

“This was fun. Unfortunately, it’s too late for you even if I do nothing, so I’ll be merciful and end it sooner.” Raising his upper back, he reached out and stroked Naoto’s cheek. Foreign thoughts began to fill Naoto’s head like a swarm of black bugs determined to swallow up everything in their path. The voice was his own, but the words weren't.

I’ll go to Fumizuki City. I’ll go there now. Even if I have to walk.

I’ll write a note. I’ll take it with me. “I am the spy without a face.”

I have to die before that cat can kill me. I’ll do it myself.

I’ll get rid of my face. I’ll expose who I am behind it.

I am a Phantom and nothing more.

Relinquishing control, both against his will and out of desperation to escape the waking nightmare he’d trapped himself in, he got off the bed. Miller followed, mindfully leaving his clothes askew. He was the one to offer Naoto the notepad and a pen, then casually sat back down afterward.

“Thank you for your time and the opportunity, my handsome little spy.” Miller told him with a self-satisfied smile. “I won’t let your choice to force this city’s telepaths into a corner go to waste.”

Blankly, the puppet called Naoto Hidaka tore the paper from the notepad and pocketed it. Securely under the ruthless telepath's influence, he said nothing more before he slipped out the door.

Notes:

Thank you for reading. Please judge me for my godawful rarepair in the comments.