Actions

Work Header

No Tomorrow

Summary:

- ~ -

Wille can't remember their break-up.

Simon can't forget their time together.

- ~ -

Chapter Text

Simon is alone in his office when they come for him.

He’s sitting at his desk, absently drumming his fingers to a beat only he can hear while he stares into space. He’s been trying to write for most of the afternoon. In truth, he’s been doing more procrastinating than writing today, but he’s focused now and he can almost feel the words he wants, dancing just out of reach. He closes his eyes and breathes deeply, hoping it will help. The doorbell chimes but he barely registers it, intent on chasing the words that are meant to ride this melody through his imagination. Mikael will answer it. But whoever it is only waits a moment before beginning to pound on the heavy door. The force of it rattles the windows and Simon jumps to his feet, annoyed by the interruption and the impatience of the person who continues hammering without pause.

He tears open his office door just as Mikael appears at the top of the stairs and begins jogging down them. His eyebrows are bunched together in concern and his bright blue eyes land on Simon as he reaches the hall. “Who is it?”

“I don’t know, but I’m going to find out!” Simon throws the lock and yanks the door open. “What the hell do you—“

He’s cut off by the taller of the two men standing on the front step. “Are you Simon Eriksson?”

Simon crosses his arms and lifts his chin. “Who are you?”

The man ignores the question, just like Simon ignored his, and repeats himself. “Are you Simon Eriksson?”

Simon quickly looks him up and down, taking note of his posture and the way he’s dressed. Then he switches his attention to the other man. He’s shorter and more solidly built, and he’s dressed almost identically to the first man. Both are wearing suits and stand with their legs slightly spread and arms dangling in a falsely casual way. These are dangerous people, and their manner of dress is familiar. The hair raises on the back of Simon’s neck. “What do you want?”

“This is the last time I will ask, sir. Are you Simon Eriksson?”

“Yes! Now who are—” The rest of his sentence is lost in a grunt of surprise when both men step forward and each take one of his arms. They practically lift Simon off the front step and when he resists them, his feet are left scrabbling for purchase on the pavement as they half drag and half carry him to the car waiting at the curb with its engine idling.

“Hey!” Mikael yells after them, his voice vibrating with an edge of panic. “What the fuck are you doing? Where are you taking him?” He runs toward the car but is stopped by the tall man, who hands him a business card. “What is this?” Mikael demands.

“You may call this number for more information. Now please stand back. This is official business.”

The man doesn’t wait to see if Mikael complies with his instruction. Instead, he rushes back to the vehicle, slides into the drivers seat, and stomps the accelerator so hard the tires squeal before the car rockets forward. Simon’s head snaps back and bounces off the headrest. He fumbles for the door handle, but the stocky man, who is sitting in the back seat next to him, grabs his arm to stop him. “Not a good idea, sir.”

He jerks around to look out the back window. Mikael is standing in the middle of the street with one hand clapped over his mouth in shock and probably no small amount of fear. “Where are you taking me?” He struggles to keep his voice firm and confident. He doesn’t want them to see that he’s anxious, but adrenaline is zipping through his bloodstream, making it difficult. He deepens his breathing to control it.

“Sophiahemmet hospital,” the man in the driver’s seat says.

“Sophiahemmet hospital?” This is getting weirder by the second, but Simon is beginning to suspect who is behind his abduction. Unease trickles down his spine. “Why?”

Neither man answers him. Simon looks back and forth between them and then huffs in frustration. “This is bullshit.” They remain silent, leaving him to stare out the window at the passing landscape and wonder what the fuck is going on.