Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 12 of Miraculous Team
Stats:
Published:
2021-07-25
Updated:
2023-03-13
Words:
32,025
Chapters:
6/?
Comments:
4
Kudos:
29
Bookmarks:
7
Hits:
2,053

Miraculous Team: One-Shots

Chapter 5: Brother and Sister Talk

Notes:

(This one-shot, takes place just before chapter 5 of Miraculous Team: The Collector)

Chapter Text

It had rained all night, flooding the streets of Paris. But when the sun finally rose, the black clouds disappeared and the sky was clear. It looked like it was going to be a perfect Saturday to be outside and enjoy the day. Many were going to take advantage of it, as it was unusual sunny for January. But not for Juleka Couffaine. The goth was not a person who liked to get out of bed on Saturdays. She liked to remain between the sheets, and catch up on the hours of sleep she had lost during the rest of the week.

And that morning, more than ever, she did not feel like getting out of bed. The softness of her sheets, combined with her sleepiness were more than enough reasons for her to want to remain as still as possible. But there was one additional reason, and that was the main one that was telling her to remain in bed. Every time she turned over and fell asleep again, she dreamed of the most beautiful girl in the world, Rose Lavillant. The previous afternoon, the secret of their relationship was discovered by Juleka's older brother, Luka. When this happened, she feared what would happen, but quickly realized that nothing would happen. Juleka knew her brother would never tell anyone, especially their parents, what he'd seen before she felt the time was right to reveal it to them.

She would have stayed in bed the rest of the day, if her stomach had not started begging for food. She tried to ignore it, but it was in vain. Her stomach was grumbling, telling her that it was time for her to eat something. Opening her eyes, she turned to the left and saw the book that she had been reading, the first volume of Anne Rice’s The Sleeping Beauty trilogy. By the time she had fallen asleep, she had devoured half the book. The only reason she did not finish it, was because the sandman got the best of her. 

I’ve got to try and finish it tonight.” -Juleka thought to herself, as she grabbed the book and placed it on her bedside table.  

Getting out of bed, she knew her stomach would only shut up when she ate breakfast. Opening the curtains, just a little, Juleka let some light into her bedroom. Looking around, she saw the mess her bedroom was, and how she would have to clean it up later. She also saw that Tamara was still asleep in the place where she used to sleep, between two books. Leaving her to finish her beaty sleep, she grabbed her robe, put it on and then grabbed her cell phone, sticking it into her robe’s pocket. Heading to the kitchen, she heard music playing, coming from it. Upon hearing it, Juleka knew that whoever was in the kitchen was her brother, and that their parents would have left. He only listened to music in the kitchen when his parents were out. And on that morning, he was listening to Jagged Stone’s latest single, “Truth”.

“Good morning.” -Juleka greeted her brother, as she entered the kitchen, still rubbing her eyes.  

“Good morning, sleepyhead.” -Luka greeted her back, with a smile.

Unlike Juleka, Luka had woken up early and was already dressed. He was wearing one of his favourite t-shirts, the “feline one” as his mother used to call it, whenever she washed it, because it had the logo of the heavy metal band, Pantera.

“Where are mom and dad?” -Juleka asked, as she sat at the table.

“Dad went shopping about half hour ago, and mom is back in the studio, working on that new piece she was commissioned. She said she wanted to take advantage of the clear sky, to work outside.” -Luka answered, as he finished the pancake mix. –“As for me, I’m making breakfast for us both. I was actually going to call you, because it’s almost 11 in the morning. Three or four pancakes?” -he asked her.

“Four… no, wait, make it five. I’m hungry this morning.” -Juleka told hm.

“Five pancakes for the lovely Goth of a sister of mine, coming up.” -Luka said, as he poured the mix into the sizzling frying pan.

It did not take long for the delicious scent of freshly baked pancakes to flood the whole kitchen, and to remember both siblings, why they loved pancakes for breakfast. Ever since they were little, pancakes were a comfort food for them, and it reminded them of how their mother, even when she was busy with other things, would make them pancakes on rainy days, or when they were for some reason sad, to cheer them up. Because he was older, Luka quickly learned to make them, so even when their mom was not at home, he could make them for him and Juleka. She too had learned to make them, but from the two of them, Luka was the pancake expert, always managing to make them just right.  

Stacking them neatly in two plates, Luka placed them on the kitchen table, where two bottles of syrup, one chocolate, one strawberry, were already waiting to see which one would be used by him and Juleka. As always, Juleka chose the chocolate syrup which was bitter. But Luka always had a sweet tooth, and like always, he chose strawberry.     

“Try not to wolf them down, okay?” -Luka told Juleka, while chuckling.

“I make no promises. It’s hard not to wolf them down, when your pancakes are the best; next to mom’s, of course.” -Juleka said.

“Thanks. I did learn to cook them with her.” -Luka said. –“So, do you want to talk about what happened yesterday?” -he asked his sister, as he cut his pancakes. –“Because if you don’t, it’s cool. I’ll respect your decision.” -he added.

“There’s nothing really to talk about. You found out that I’m dating Rose, so that’s that.” -Juleka said, as she poured a little bit more chocolate syrup on her pancakes.

“And aren’t you afraid of what I might tell mom and dad?” -Luka asked her.

“No. I know you well enough to know that you won’t tell mom or dad about it.” -Juleka said, as she sat at the table.

And she was right. Luka would never tell their parents a word. There were three things in the world that the cyan-haired teen praised more than anything in the world. The first one was his guitar. The second one was his record collection. And the third one, was his relationship with his little sister. Luka loved her more than anything else.   

“You know me too well, Jules.” -Luka chuckled.

“Well, you’re my big brother. It’s my job, just as it is yours, to know me.” -Juleka chuckled, as well.

“Fair enough.” -Luka smiled, as he sliced the pancakes. –“But can your big brother ask you couple of questions, regarding you and your cute, blonde girlfriend?” -he asked her, in an amused tone.  

“Of course, you can.” -Juleka said. –“As long as you keep it softcore.” -she warned him. –“I’m not answering any kinky questions, you might have.”

“Please, I would never ask you anything that would offend you, or make you blush like a ripe tomato.” -Luka declared, with a mischievous smile, while winking at her. –“So, how long have you been…” -he asked her.  

“Dating? A few months.” -Juleka admitted. –“We started dating in October.” -she told him.

“Since October? You’re both good at hiding that big of a secret.” -Luka told her, as took another bite from the pancakes.

More than you think, Luka.” -Juleka thought to herself.

“Does anyone else know, about you two?” -Luka inquired her, curious.

“No. We’re keeping it a secret. You were the first one to find out.” -Juleka told hm.

“Well, sorry if I spoiled your plans.” -Luka joked.

“You didn’t.” -Juleka chuckled. –“I even talked about it with Rose, and I was going to tell you about us, before mom and dad.” -she said, as she poured a little bit more chocolate syrup on the pancakes. –“She said it was a good idea, and that we could trust you.”

“I feel honoured, Lady Couffaine.” -Luka said, with a fake posh accent

“Oh, cut that out, Luka! You know what I mean.” -Juleka laughed.

“Yeah, I do.” -Luka nodded. –“And it was worth it, to hear you laugh. You know that I love to hear you laugh, Jules.” -he told her. –“How did it happen? I mean, you two are best-friends, so…”

“It just happened, I guess.” -Juleka said. –“Our first kiss was… unique.” -she said, as she remembered the first time they kissed. –“We’d just stopped Hawk Moth for the very first time, when we destroyed Gargantua, and in the excitement, we kissed… it was so unexpected, and romantic, like one of those romantic comedies that Rose likes so much… Oh, look at me, thinking just like Rose.

“Juleka? Juleka! Earth to Juleka!!!” -Luka exclaimed to his sister.

“Uh… what?” -Juleka said, -“S-Sorry, I think I spaced out.” -she apologized.

“I noticed. I was asking you, if you had been the one to tell Rose that you loved her first, or was it the other way around?” -Luka asked her.

“Oh, we did at the same time.” -Juleka confessed. –“I didn’t know she was going to tell me she was in love with me, so, it was a bit of a shock.” -she admitted.

Luka asked her a few more questions, regarding her relationship with Rose, and Juleka promptly answered them. Like promised, Luka did not ask her about anything that was absolutely private. Question after question, Luka’s curiosity was satiated, just like both their stomachs, as they finished their pancakes. Suddenly, Juleka’s cell phone vibrated, signalling she had got a text from someone. Pulling it from her robe’s pocket, she saw it was from Rose.      

“Oh, it’s from Rose.” -Juleka said. –“She’s saying that Mylene is going to shoot a few more scenes for that short movie she’s doing, in her place, and asked Rose if she could help her out. And Rose wants to know if I want to go with her.” -she said.

“Well, don’t just stand there. Answer the girl, and tell her you’re going.” -Luka said.

“What if I don’t want to go?” -Juleka asked him.

“Jules, you’ve got nothing better to do this afternoon, except listen to old vinyl records, watch television, or help dad cleaning up the house.” -Luka told her. –“And I know you well enough, to know that you can do the first two, whenever you come from school, and that you’re not in the mood to help with the third. Besides, I’m the one in cleaning duty today, so you can go and be with your girlfriend.” -he smiled her.

“Thanks, Luka. And you’re right, I’m going to text her, and tell her that I’ll meet her at Mylene’s place.” -Juleka said, as she texted Rose.

“You do that.” -Luka said, when Juleka’s cell beeped once again. –“Another text? The girl must be really desperate to hear from you.” -he joked.   

“She sent me a photo of the outfit she’s going to wear today, and is asking me to show her, what I’m going to wear today.” -Juleka declared, as she showed Luka the outfit Rose was wearing.

“She looks really cute in that outfit; I’ll give her that. Too pink for my taste, but still super cute. I can see why you can’t take your eyes off of her.” -Luka said, amused.  

“You can bet that… oh, she texted me yet again” -Juleka said, as she checked the text. –“Okay… she’s telling me that I better take some snacks. I think I can grab a couple of things at the supermarket, before heading there.” -she said, as another text arrived. –“Oh, and looks like beside me and her, Ivan’s also going to be there, and Alya, Nino, Sabrina and Chloe.”  

“Chloe? You mean Chloe Bourgeois?” -Luka asked her.

“Yes, Chloe Bourgeois, Luka.” -Juleka told him, as she handed him her plate. –“Why do you ask?” -she asked him.  

“Nothing… I mean, you know why I asked.” -Luka said.

“Luka…” -Juleka sighed, knowing where that conversation was heading to.

It was not the first time Juleka and Luka had that conversation. Luka never liked Chloe, because of the many times Juleka ended up in tears, due to something she did to her. And when suddenly, Juleka began telling him the heiress was trying to turn over a new leaf, and had begun to treat others better, Luka remained suspicious.  

“I still don’t understand how you’re now friends with her, Jules.” -Luka said, shaking his head in disbelief. –“After everything she did to you… that girl is rotten to the core.” -he said, as he placed the dishes in the sink.

“She’s not rotten to the core, Luka.” -Juleka said, defending her friend. –“It’s true that she was a nasty piece of work. But she’s doing her best to change, ever since school began in September.” -she said.

“Or maybe, she’s just pretending she’s changed.” -Luka said, with a sour voice. –“Girls like her, who see themselves as the centre of the universe, never change, Jules.” -he told Juleka. –“It’s not in them. Why change, when you can just boss around people and treat everybody like yesterday’s trash, and nobody can lay a finger on you?”

At that moment, Juleka just felt like slapping Luka in the face, for saying those things about the heiress. She knew that Chloe was not pretending that she had changed, and that she was someone who had earned her trust, inside and outside the battlefield. But she could not tell Luka the whole truth, of what was happening with Chloe, and with herself. As much as she wanted to tell him, she knew she had to keep that secret to herself, in order to protect him.

“She’s not pretending, Luka. Believe me, I see her and deal with her, everyday in school. And there’s no way anyone can pretend to be something they’re not, without slipping into their real persona.” -Juleka declared. –“She has changed.” -she insisted.

“Forgive me, if I find it hard to believe that. Especially after everything she did to you, Jules” -Luka said, continuing to insist on that matter. –“Just thinking about all the times you came home, crying because of things she did to you, makes my blood boil. It’s also hard for me to understand how after all those things she did to you, you managed to just put it all behind you, and pretend like nothing ever happened.” -he said, with a voice filled with anger. –“I wouldn’t have been able to do it.”

“Luka… I know it’s hard for you to understand it. And you’re right, she did unspeakable things to me. Some of which are too horrible, for me to even think about them. But you know me, and you know that I’m the kind of person who doesn’t forgive others easily, unless there’s a really good reason for me to do it. “ -Juleka told him. –“And I’m not saying it was easy for me to forgive her. I sometimes still resent some of the things she did to me. But knowing she’s doing her best to change, helps a little.” -she admitted.

“That alone isn’t enough for me to forgive someone who’d hurt me.” -Luka declared. –“If someone hurt me, or someone close to me, in a way that could only be described as despicable and horrible, the last thing it would get from me, would be forgiveness.” -he said.  

The way he talked, Juleka knew he was once again referring to Chloe. Though the two of them never exchanged a word, Luka felt like he knew the heiress for years. His hatred for her was quite big, because whenever her name was referred to, it reminded him of the pain she had caused his sister. More than once, he tried to go Françoise-Dupont and have a serious conversation with her, but Juleka always stopped him, knowing that if he did it, he would get into trouble. The old Chloe would have made sure that he would rue the day he stood up to her.

“I know.” -Juleka said. –“And I’m not going to try and change your mind about it. But I want you to remember this… from the two of us, the one who was hurt by her was me, not you. From the two of us, I’m the one who’s entitled to decide to hold a grudge against her, or to put it all behind my back, and giving her a chance at friendship. And I chose the second option, because it’s the one that I feel good about.” -she told him.

“You’re right. But you’ll have to forgive me, if I’m afraid that she might hurt you again. I’m your big brother; it’s my responsibility to care for you.” -Luka smiled at her.

“I know that. But don’t worry. I know what I’m doing… and please, in the future, don’t talk about Chloe like that. I would be a bad friend, if I allowed anyone, even my big brother, whom I love so much, to talk bad about her like that.” -Juleka smiled back at him.

“Okay, I’ll try. If you say she’s cool, then I’ll trust your word.” -Luka promised to her, as he finished washing the dishes. –“I still have my doubts about her, but I’ll respect your wish, little sis.” -he thought to himself. –“You know, come to think of it, you used to be a little bit more conservative, when it came to friendships. It’s always been easy for me, to make new friends. You, on the other hand, not so much.”

“You’re right. I always had trouble making new friends… that is, until Rose showed up. She was the first one in that school to become my friend, and I’ve learned a lot about friendship with her.” -Juleka smiled.

“You could say that everything good that happened in your life, is because you had her by your side.” -Luka said. –“I know I’m romanticizing things a little bit, but ever since you met Rose, you began to smile a lot more and to put yourself out there.” -he stated.    

“You’re just like Rose. Under that musician bad boy style of yours, you’re a hopeless romantic yourself.” -Juleka teased him.

“Guilty as charged.” -Luka chuckled. –“But just because I’m a hopeless romantic, doesn’t mean that my love life is a bed of roses.” -he sighed.

“Whatever happened to that girl, you were always talking about last month? What was her name?” -Juleka asked out loud. –“Oh, Hilla, was it?”

“Yeah… things didn’t work out.” -Luka admitted. –“We’re still friends, but she’s got a thing for drummers, not guitarists.” -he chuckled.

“You could always learn to play the drums.” -Juleka joked.

“Nah, I’m more of a strings’ man.” -Luka chuckled. –“Which reminds me, tonight I’m going to the houseboat and practice a new song I wrote. Do you want to join me?” -he asked the Goth.

“Are you asking me that, because you want me to play with you, or because you want to have an audience?” -Juleka asked, in an amused tone of voice.

“Why can’t I have both things?” -Luka asked her. –“You can listen to me first, and then we can play it together.” -he said.

“Alright. You can count on me.” -Juleka smiled. –“No way, I would let you play solo.” -she said.

“That’s what I was thinking, little sis.” -Luka smiled back at her. –“Oh, and by the way, dad’s cooking lunch today. He’s going to make his world-famous tomato soup. Just wanted you to know, because I know you hate it.” -he warned her.

“It’s a good thing I had a large breakfast, then.” -Juleka joked.