Actions

Work Header

The king, sorcerers, and Avengers

Summary:

Arthur Pendragon returns to a world ruled by greedy politicians that is overrun by superheroes who are crucified and threats that lurk behind shadow. Larger summary inside.

Notes:

Full summary: It has been centuries since the death of Arthur Pendragon and Camelot is but a distant memory, the life of King Arthur believed to be but a myth. As the world faces the consequences of the Sokovia Accords being legalized and the Avengers Civil War, Merlin is reunited with his old friend while also meeting an old enemy who possess no memory of their past. As Merlin deals with this, Arthur adjusts to life in the present while grappling with his destiny and duty. And all the while, someone else pulls the strings, forcing Arthur, Merlin and the Avengers into a battle that will determine the fate of all humanity.

I blame this story entirely on my recent Merlin obsession after rewatching the series for the first time since I binged it the first time on Netflix a few years ago. I did write a similar story a few years ago although that one was an Arrowverse crossover and the Arrowverse sucks these days, which is why I couldn’t find much inspiration for it and ended up deleting it. I don’t even watch the seasons I like anymore outside research purposes.

Anyway, this story starts a few weeks after the events of Captain America: Civil War. And just a heads up, this will be a Team Cap story. I won’t bash Team Iron Man, although Tony will be criticized for some of his actions in the beginning of the story. If you have a problem with that, in the left hand corner of the screen is a back button. I assume you know how to use it. Do instead of leaving a hateful review.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: The calm

Chapter Text

New York

Morning

 

“When Albion‘s need is greatest, Arthur will rise again.”

 

Merlin’s eyes snapped open as he heard his alarm go off. Merlin lazily waved his hand, turning off his alarm as he sat up, running his hand through his black hair. He’d had the dream again, or rather his memory of watching the boat carrying Arthur’s body floating away as Kilgharrah made him that promise. It had been centuries since that day, civilizations had risen and fallen; Camelot was but a distant memory.

 

This wasn’t the first time he’d had this dream, but it was becoming more frequent over the last few months. Merlin’s senses were telling him that something was about to happen, but he didn’t know what exactly. He needed advice, Merlin decided.

 

Getting out of bed, Merlin dressed himself before heading downstairs. Hearing the television on in the kitchen, Merlin entered, finding Gwen there, making breakfast as she listened to the news.

 

It had been quite a shock to him a few years earlier to find Gwen in town. He was sure he was going mad until she’d greeted him with a hug, assuring him she was real and she remembered everything. After so many years on his own, being reunited with Gwen had been a blessing. With Gwen back in his life, Merlin had started living again after closing himself off from the world.

 

“Anything interesting on today?” Merlin asked as he entered the room.

 

“A press conference about the Accords, updates on the search for Captain America, and some celebrity wedding,” Gwen said and Merlin nodded with a grimace.

 

The Accords had been rectified a few weeks ago, followed almost immediately by the bombing and the splitting of the Avengers. While the Accord might sound appealing to some, to Merlin they sounded far too much like Uther’s persecution of magic. To give that kind of power over to politicians… Merlin feared for those like Wanda Maximoff with The Accords hanging over their heads.

 

“Want some pancakes?” Gwen asked, breaking him out of his thoughts.

 

“Sorry, can’t. I need to head into the city,” Merlin apologized as Gwen looked at him in concern.

 

“Is everything alright Merlin?” she asked worriedly.

 

“I don’t know,” Merlin admitted after a moment. “I’ll let you know when I get back.”

 

New York Sanctum

Later in the morning

 

Merlin entered the Sanctum, looking around. There didn’t seem to be any changes in the months since he had been here, he mused.

 

“Emrys.”

 

Merlin turned around, seeing a bald woman emerge with a smile.

 

“Ancient One,” Merlin greeted respectfully with a slight bow.

 

“It is good to see you old friend,” the Ancient One said.

 

“You as well. Last we spoke, you were looking into a hopeful, a Stephen Strange?” Merlin remembered and she nodded.

 

“In the last several months, his abilities have progressed beyond my expectations. But I doubt that you came here to talk about my students,” she said knowingly and Merlin nodded.

 

 “You’re right, I didn’t,” Merlin paused, wondering how to word it. “I’ve been having dreams. They’re of Arthur, of the promise that he will rise again. Since the day he died, I’ve had the dream often over the centuries but now…I have the dream almost every night. I can’t help but feel like this means something.”

 

“There are many things we still do not understand about your powers Emrys,” the Ancient One said gently after a few moments. “But I fear you may be right. Over the last few days, I have felt a growing sense of anticipation. I fear something is on the rise. If that is the case…God help us all.”

 

New York, café

Early afternoon

 

Merlin sat in a café he had stopped by later in the day, thinking on his meeting with the Ancient One. Something was on the rise, that was clear. But what, he wasn’t sure. With these dreams, the Sokovia Accords and something else…Merlin feared what this meant for the world.

 

“Can we get you anything else?”

 

At the sound of the voice, Merlin looked up and the words died on his lips. It was impossible, he thought as he stared.

 

“Morgana,” he breathed and she looked at him oddly.

 

“That’s what it says on my name tag,” Morgana said dryly with a friendly smile. “So can I get you anything else or would you like to pay?”

 

He stared at her, wondering if this was some kind of trick. But he had gotten good at telling when Morgana was up to something when she had been trying to bring down Camelot from the inside after she returned following the year she spent with Morgause. This was no trick, Merlin realized. She didn’t remember.

 

Hudson River

Same time

 

As New York went about its day, a singer boat floated on the current towards the city. In it was a young man with blond hair, wearing armor. He appeared asleep as the boat reached the shores. Then, his blue eyes snapped open.