Actions

Work Header

Cosmic Love

Chapter Text

“Would you like to play chess?”

“Or we could watch paint dry.”

Spock arched a brow. He stood behind Jim, who stood at the window of his mother’s apartment looking out at the more mist than rain. 

It was true that they had been, as Jim had said earlier, “cooped up” in the apartment for a couple of days but Spock had not considered it that dismal.

“You do not care for chess?”

“It’s not that…exactly. I’m…”

“Tired of staying inside. You feel trapped.”

Jim sighed and turned toward him, close enough so that Spock pulled him into his arms.

“It will not be forever, Jim.”

“It’s already forever,” Jim said petulantly.   

Spock understood that Jim did not like to be kept under lock and key.

“I’m sorry. I know I’m being…bratty, I guess.”

“Perhaps Mother and I can go and pick out a special dinner you might like to have.”

Jim pulled out of Spock’s arms to glare at him. “You get to leave but not me?”

“It is too dangerous. We do not know who is responsible for the fire in your dorm and with only suspicions—”

“If this is somehow related to Tarsus as we think it might be then you are in just as much danger as I am. If Lenore is involved, Spock, don’t forget she made contact with you when she ran into you on your way to my dorm room.”

“If that was her.”

“It was. I know it. She’s…got some involvement in this. With Kevin, with Tarsus. I don’t know why or how. I don’t remember her from there.”

“Nor do I. But…I acknowledge if it does involve her and Tarsus, I could be in danger also. But—”

“If you’re about to tell me you’re better at taking care of yourself than I am myself just stop right there. I don’t want to hear it.”

They were both interrupted by a heavy feminine sigh. They turned to see Spock’s mother staring nearby looking at them with gentle bemusement.

“If I may make a suggestion?”

“Sure,” Jim said.

“We order for dinner to be delivered and we play a game the three of us can play together, such as, Trivial Pursuit. I know it’s a bit old fashioned but I have the Federation Planet version right here that we can play.”

For a moment, Spock feared Jim was going to refuse, for his stance beside Spock was still rigid.

“Is there any wine?” Jim asked.

Mother smiled. “Yes there’s a red blend just waiting for the two of us to drink it. And if I do say myself, I am a killer at Trivial Pursuit.”

Jim blew out a long breath, then nodded. “Okay, yeah. That sounds pretty good.”

“Excellent. With that misty rain none of us really wants to go out anyway. I suggest tomorrow, during the day, we all go out for lunch together and then a bit of shopping for anything else we might want, like more wine.” She winked at Jim.

He laughed and Spock welcomed the sound. Spock didn’t know how she did it, but his mother seemed to understand Jim and his moods very well. Perhaps it was that they were fully Human, both of them, Spock was not sure, but he welcomed it.

A while later, the three of them sat at the dining room table of her apartment with the game set up between them as they awaited the arrival of their dinner.

Jim and his mother each had a glass of wine beside them. Spock had been certain he would be ahead in the game, but to his surprise, Jim was creaming them both.

Naturally, Jim’s mood was much improved. He smiled as he sipped his wine and seemed to like to lord his knowledge over both of them. Spock did not mind. He far preferred this Jim to the antsy, glum one of an hour ago.

The doorbell rang and since it was not Jim’s turn, he declared, “I’ll get it. That’s our food.”

He rose from the chair and went to the apartment door as Mother took her turn on the board. When she landed, Spock read her a question which awarded her a wedge.

“I’ve almost caught up to Jim,” Mother declared. “Your turn, Spock.”

Spock frowned. “I wonder what is keeping Jim.”

Mother’s eyes widened and she put her hand on Spock’s arm. “Oh no.”

They both scrambled from their chairs and hurried to the door of her apartment. Food containers were dropped and open all over the front hallway and lying beside them pale and bloody was Jim.

Heart rising into his mouth, Spock hurried to Jim’s side. He felt for a pulse as Mother contacted emergency services.

“There is a pulse,” Spock whispered. “But faint.”

“They’re on their way, Spock,”

Spock nodded. However long they took, it might be too late.