Actions

Work Header

Skin Deep

Summary:

Itachi was twelve when his soulmate mark appeared. He had grown up hearing stories about them, how a person's soulmate’s name would appear on their skin, a silent declaration of a future with your one and only. He hadn’t thought much of it as a child. He was far too busy training with Shisui.

Itachi's soulmate doesn't come as much of a surprise. He always knew deep down that Shisui was his one and only. What does come as a surprise is the name that appears on Shisui.

Chapter 1: ACT I

Chapter Text

Itachi was twelve when his soulmate mark appeared. He had grown up hearing stories about them, how one’s soulmate’s name would appear on their skin, a silent declaration of a future with your one and only. He hadn’t thought much of it as a child. He was far too busy training with Shisui. Mother liked retelling the story of her and father’s soulmate marks. Father had been a late bloomer and mother had hers for two years and hadn’t said anything, waiting for father’s to finally appear. When it had, father had been a wreck, not knowing she had it he had attempted to keep quiet but he had been far too excited. He had all but screamed it at her when they had met up and she laughed in his face, delighted. 

When the mark appeared you could feel your soulmate through it. Their joy, their sadness, everything. They became as much part of you as your lungs, your heart or your soul. It shouldn’t have come as a surprise that Shisui’s name would be the one to appear across his hip. Still, Itachi hadn’t been able to hide his smile at the sight of his name. He knew it. How could he not? Shisui was his person and even without his name scrawled across Itachi’s skin, there was no one Itachi would rather be destined for. Sasuke was still at that age where soulmate marks disgusted him and would scrunch his nose up at mother. Itachi was nervous about how Shisui would react. He only showed his mother, nervous about her reaction but mother had been as excited as he was.

“I can’t think of a better soulmate for you, sweetheart.” She had assured him, cupping his face in her palms and pressing a kiss against his forehead. “Wait until his appears as well, he’ll be as excited as you are.” She assured him. “Some people are just meant for each other.”

He didn’t mention it to Shisui because Shisui didn’t mention it to him. Perhaps he already had his and was waiting for Itachi to say something. Or perhaps his hadn’t appeared yet. There was no concrete time when the name would appear. Usually sometime during late childhood and mid teens. Itachi’s had come a little early and if Shisui’s hadn’t yet, that was more than okay. Itachi could happily wait. They had a lifetime to be together.

Shisui was a late bloomer. It wasn’t that common for soulmate marks to appear, but occasionally people didn’t get theirs until they were entering adulthood. Shisui’s didn’t appear until he was seventeen. By then Itachi was fourteen and still content to wait for Shisui to realize. There was no need to rush. He was a patient boy and good things came to those who waited. 

The sun was shining, not a cloud in sight. Itachi loved days like these. The endless blue sky was a sight to behold. He felt Shisui’s warm, familiar chakra signature approach and had looked up, smiling in delight at the sight of his cousin.  “You’ll never guess what happened.” Shisui greeted him, almost vibrating in excitement. They were supposed to meet for sparring and Shisui had been later than usual.

“What happened?” Itachi asked curiously.  It wasn’t often that Shisui was late, but Itachi wasn’t worried. He could feel Shisui through the mark even before he had shown up. He was happy as he approached. Itachi loved it when he was happy. Shisui’s eyes crinkled in the corners with how large his smile was.

“My soulmate’s name finally appeared!” Shisui grinned at him. “I was beginning to think it was never gonna show up!” Itachi’s face flushed and he could swear his heart skipped a beat. Soulmate . Shisui finally had it. He beamed at the older boy, a little shy, his heart fluttering in excitement. 

“I was wondering when it would happen.” He teased. Did Shisui feel his excitement? He must because Itachi was nearly bursting at the seams with joy. Shisui pushed his sleeve up to show the name that had appeared on his arm. Itachi moved forward, already knowing what it would say but excited to see it nonetheless.

 

Except.

 

Except it wasn’t his name written across Shisui’s skin. Itachi blinked, thinking he had misread. He hadn’t.



Oh.” He breathed, staring at the name stamped across Shisui’s skin. Not his name. Not him. He wasn’t it. His staring caught Shisui’s attention and the older boy laughed, a little breathless.

“Yeah I was surprised too! I’ve spoken to her a few times before. So we sort of know each other.” Shisui replied with a grin. “I already reached out to her and she’s had my name for over a year! She didn’t want to spoil anything for me so she said she would wait until mine finally appeared.” He looked so happy. Happy and relieved to finally have his soulmate’s name after waiting so long. Itachi’s chest ached as if he had something lodged in there. This wasn’t right. This wasn’t how it was supposed to happen. Shisui was waiting for him to say something and Itachi could not bear to disappoint him. 

“I-I’m happy for you.” Itachi replied, finally managing to offer Shisui a little smile, even though it was forced and painful. Shisui was too happy to notice. 

“Thanks, I knew I had to tell you once I got the chance!” He slung an arm around Itachi’s shoulder, easy and friendly.  “You just wait, when yours pops up we’re gonna have to have a party, or one of those double dates.” Shisui scratched his chin thoughtfully and Itachi fought to offer him a nod.

“I’d like that.” If his voice sounded weak and his mouth felt dry. Shisui didn’t seem to notice Itachi’s odd reaction. He was lost in thought. A soulmate, someone to spend the rest of his life with. He had been waiting for what felt like forever for it to finally appear. He quickly reached to tossle Itachi’s hair. A friendly gesture. 

“Well, I won’t be able to spar today. I wanna go spend some time with her, you know?” It felt cheesy to say but it was true. The name felt like completion. The missing part of a puzzle. That was truly what it was. He had felt like something wasn’t right for so long and now that her name was there, he could finally breathe easy.

Itachi nodded mechanically. “Of course, I understand.” He did. Soulmate marks were precious. Once they appeared, they were there for life. Shisui’s soulmate would take priority, as soulmates always did. Itachi had heard it from his parents and had even seen it with Shinko and Anko when there’s appeared. Their world’s ultimately shifted. Itachi’s had. Only, his other half hadn’t shifted with him. Shisui smiled at Itachi, reaching out to pinch his cheek.

“That serious expression doesn’t suit you.” He teased lightly. “Don’t be to glum, I’ll have to have you guys meet soon. You’ll love her!” Itachi didn’t think he could ever hate someone more. It wasn’t fair to her, he knew that. Shisui winked at his friend and turned on his heel, whistling a hearty tune as he headed back towards the village center. Towards his future.

Itachi stared after Shisui, throat burning. With trembling fingers he reached for the hem of his shirt, lifting it and pulling his pants down just enough to show them name on his skin. It was Shisui’s. Still Shisui’s, always Shisui’s.


.



.

 

.

 

.

 

“So I heard Shisui’s soulmate mark finally appeared.” Fugaku stated over supper that evening. Mikoto’s eyes darted over to Itachi, a smile curling her lips. Itachi didn’t look up from his plate. He had been in a daze since that morning.

“Oh, that’s wonderful!” Mikoto stated, expecting what Itachi had been. “Shisui must be thrilled!” Sasuke was playing with his food, chin resting in his palm. Mikoto turned to offer Itachi a warm smile.

“Yes,” Fugaku confirmed. “I guess the Yamanaka girl has had hers for awhile now. Katsumi?” He didn’t notice Mikoto’s shocked expression as she turned back to him. “She’s a Chunin I believe, a year or so older than Shisui.” Sasuke made a face. Romance was dead to him of course. He was nine, he had bigger things to think about.

Mikoto turned to Itachi, mouth open in dismay. “Oh Itachi…” She breathed. Itachi didn’t look at her. He pushed his plate away and stood, Sasuke glancing at him in interest, discreetly flicking a pea off his plate and hitting Fugaku’s forehead. He hadn’t noticed. 

“I’m not feeling well, may I be excused?” Itachi asked. His vision was swimming. Mikoto looked torn between sadness and confusion.

“Go on.” Fugaku waved him off. He was still deep in thought about the new couple. “She’s not an Uchiha but that’s hardly important. The Yamanaka Clan is always a welcome sight. They’re planning for a wedding for early February if possible.” Itachi fled the room, stomach churning. He knew he was going to vomit. He knew it was coming. Two months. They were already planning a wedding. He knew that often happened with soulmates, once they were paired why wait? It was extremely rare, but occasionally this happened. Where one person would have a name on their skin but their soulmate would have another. Itachi had been naive to think that someone like him was ever going to have a happily ever after. A child’s dream. It was time to grow up. 

 


 

Katsumi Yamanaka was beautiful. Long golden hair and deep grey eyes. She was a perfect match to Shisui. The entire clan thought so. Shisui had already brought her over to introduce her to the clan and properly propose. Both clans had readily accepted the match. Itachi had been forced to watch as the man whose name was written on his skin proposed to another. He had forced himself to smile even as he felt his world begin to tremble.

The wedding came far too soon.

Katsumi stood arm in arm with her soulmate, smiling at the well wishers. Around her neck was a silver looped necklace, a gift from Shisui. Members of both clans were present. It was not often that soulmates were from two separate clans. It was an exciting match. A perfect match. Sasuke was out with some of his friends from the academy. This was merely a formality, a way to cement an alliance with a picture perfect wedding. They were soulmates, no one would ever deny them that right. She looked so regal in her kimono. The sleeves were intricately laced with pink and red flowers. Her hair pulled back under a lovely golden headdress. Next to her, Shisui stood proud in a dark blue yukata, a dashing groom ready to marry his lovely bride.

As clan heads both Fugaku and Mikoto were present to support Shisui. Mikoto had excused Itachi despite Fugaku believing he should be there to support his friend. Neither Itachi or Mikoto had the heart to tell him the truth. Shisui had been confused by Itachi’s absence, but Katsumi’s presence all but shadowed Itachi. Itachi wasn’t important. Not anymore.  Itachi stood out of sight, watching from behind the curtain as Shisui faced his bride, he was holding her hand and smiling at her, almost nervous looking. It had been a scripted proposal and the ceremony was just as formal. Shisui never liked having to be formal like this. Katsumi smiled at him encouragingly, squeezing his hand in a show of support. Itachi could hear as Shisui cleared his throat, suddenly finding strength with his soulmate’s silent support.

“Katsumi Yamanaka,” He began, voice clear. “I, Shisui Uchiha, would like to formally ask your permission as my soulmate to accept my hand in marriage. I humbly ask this before members of both the Yamanaka and Uchiha clan in hopes that they will bless our union.” Itachi gripped the wall, knees weak.

“I, Katsumi Yamanaka accept your proposal.” Katsumi recited perfectly. “With the Yamanaka and Uchiha Clan bearing witness, I humbly ask that our union be blessed.” They stood, hand in hand waiting for the clan to respond. It was a beautiful day out, perfect for a wedding. 

Fugaku stepped forward. “I, Fugaku Uchiha, support and bless this union.” Behind him Mikoto closed her eyes, attempting to keep herself composed. Shisui never needed to know about Itachi's soulmate. This would be a secret Itachi planned to take to the grave.

On the other side, Inoichi stepped forward. “I, Inoichi Yamanaka, support and bless this union.” He was smiling, proud of the young woman who had found her match. How could he not be?

Now, they could begin the official ceremony. Shisui was given the ring for Katsumi. The minster stepped forward and asked Shisui to repeat after him. He looked so handsome standing there and his bride so lovely, standing where Itachi had thought he would be.

“I, Shisui Uchiha, vow to be faithful to my wife and soulmate. To love and respect her. To console and help her in good times and in bad, I swear.” Itachi sank to his knees, closing his eyes and breathing unsteadily. He looked back, lip wobbling despite his best efforts.

“I, Katsumi Yamanaka, vow to be faithful to my husband and soulmate. To love and respect him. To console and help him in good times and in bad, I swear.” They were beautiful, perfect. A match made in heaven. Two wonderfully kind and gracious people coming together and building a future. They would have children, grow together and spend their days together. Soulmates for life.

Itachi’s head was swimming. He couldn’t hear the minister but he didn’t need to as he watched the happy couple seal their vows with a kiss. Pain as he never experienced before pierced him and he pressed his hand against his mouth in order to keep himself silent. His vision blurred with tears and despite his best efforts he was unable to keep them at bay. Could one die of a broken heart? Itachi felt that they could. He felt as if he were dying. He pressed a trembling hand against his chest, feeling for the hole that must surely be there. His soulmate mark stung, pain radiating from his fingers to his jaw.

He wasn’t sure how long he had been kneeling there. It felt like the world around him had stopped. Everything was gray and lost. Gentle hands were suddenly touching his back and he peered up to see his mother kneeling at his side, eyes mournful and shining. She had slipped away as soon as she was able, feeling her child’s pain. She couldn’t shield Fugaku from this anymore. He would know soon enough.

Mama -” Itachi’s voice trembled and Mikoto pulled her son into her arms, tucking his head under her chin and allowing her child to weep.

Chapter 2: Katsumi

Notes:

>:)

Chapter Text

Time went on. Katsumi and Shisui were inseparable. It was typical for newly wed soulmates, or so Itachi had heard. They were rarely seen outside of each other’s company. This meant that Shisui for at least the next couple of months would have little time to spend with Itachi. Usually when soul marks linked, the Hokage allowed the pair time to acclimate. Once some time had passed they would be able to return to regular duty.  Itachi knew Shisui likely wondered why he wasn’t at the ceremony. Nearly the entire clan was present and for the eldest son of the clan head to be absent would definitely not go unnoticed. Especially when he was close friends with the groom. It was only a matter of time before people really began asking questions, calling out how rude it was to be absent from such an event.

 

Mikoto had finally spoken to Fugaku who seemed blindsided by the news. At least he had finally stopped talking about how happy he was for the new couple. Fugaku had always been a sap under that gruff exterior. He had awkwardly sat with his son at the dock, not saying anything but offering him a stick of dango, face scrunched up in what Itachi could only describe as uncertainty. Father was sweet in his own way and he appreciated the effort. The heaviness in Itachi’s chest did not subside in the least. If anything it seemed to have gotten worse. He was constantly feeling sick and brushing it aside. He was a shinobi of Konoha, he could handle a little heartache.  It was almost a month later that Shisui confronted Itachi. Fugaku and Mikoto were out for the evening and Sasuke was outside at the dock with Naruto and Shikamaru. Itachi had been in his room tidying up when he felt Shisui approach. He had set down the scrolls he had been holding, palms suddenly sweaty. For a brief moment he considered making a run for it and finding Sasuke. Hiding away with his little brother felt like a preferable option that facing Shisui right now. However, he remained rooted to the spot and waited for Shisui to appear. He didn’t have to wait long.

 

“Hey.” Shisui greeted, standing awkwardly outside Itachi’s window as he had done for years. Even approaching adulthood, Shisui had an almost beautiful habit of looking so young. Itachi never understood how effortlessly he could make himself look so perfect. 

 

“Hi.” Itachi replied, self consciously patting his sweater down as he approached the window. It was a warm night and Itachi could see lightning bugs in the distance. Shisui's face was illuminated by the warm glow from itachi's room, his dark eyes shining and so very lovely. 

 

“I haven’t...haven’t seen you in awhile. I wanted to come by and see how you were doing.” Shisui explained, offering a rueful grin. Always the caring sort. It made Itachi’s chest ache.  “I...I didn’t see you at the ceremony. I was a bit worried.” He continued, apprehension suddenly in his dark eyes. He was worried, Itachi realized. He thought Itachi was angry at him. Itachi could never be angry with Shisui, never Shisui. 

 

“I was ill.” He finally managed to get out. It wasn’t a complete lie. He hadn’t felt right since Shisui had shown him her name across his arm. He doubted that feeling would simply fade away. Shisui's name certainly hadn't. 

 

“Oh,” Shisui looked away, absently rubbing his arm. “I didn’t know. Are you feeling better now?" He glanced back at his friend, his brows furrowed in open concern. Itachi leaned back against his bed, fighting the urge to hide behind it as a barrier between him and Shisui.

 

"A little." Itachi absently scratched at his arm, shoot a glance over his shoulder, almost hoping that mother or father would return and interrupt them. They used to be so comfortable around each other. Talking had been so easy for them, now it just felt wrong. “How are you?” He suddenly asked, internally wincing at how awkward he sounded. How dumb and childish he suddenly felt to be standing in his room like this.

 

Shisui merely grinned. “I’ve been great!” He assured his cousin, clamoring in through the window. “Katsumi....she’s amazing, Itachi. So friendly and outgoing. Did you know she’s helped with the children’s fund for kids who lost their parents in battle? The kids adore her. She’s so good with people. I don’t know how she does it. Everyone seems to fall for her as soon as they meet her.”

 

Katsumi Yamanaka. Itachi had done his research.  She graduated from the academy at 10, had excelled in her genin team and was promoted to chunin at fourteen. He had known she had been hurt while on a solo mission and had retired from shinobi life upon recovering, helping out at Yamanaka’s Flowers before diving into more personalized work. She was popular in the village and the clan adored her to pieces. It would have been much easier for Itachi if she had been awful and cruel and easy to hate.

 

"I want you guys to be friends." Shisui admitted with a nervous little smile. "I know things might be a bit awkward at first, but I hope you like each other." Itachi found he couldn't offer a response to that, so he didn't and there was another moment of heavy silence.  Shisui suddenly released a nervous laugh and lifted his eyes, his smile tinged with a bit of sadness.  "For a while I actually thought it would end up being you." Shisui admitted with a little laugh. Itachi's stomach lurched and he looked away.

 

"Would that have been so bad?" He asked, staring resolutely out the window. He heard Shisui release a soft chuckle. He leaned back against the windowpane, looking down at his feet for a moment. Itachi patiently waited for him to speak, not moving from his place against his bed. Shisui hummed in response, a gentle chuckle escaping him. 

 

"It would have been safe. It would have been easy to fall for you. " Shisui replied, looking up and meeting Itachi’s eyes. Itachi felt his cheeks redden at the admission, an awful feeling like hope blossoming in his chest. Perhaps Shisui still felt for him, even without his name on him. There would still be hope for them. Maybe in time something could change. He simply got the wrong name, It was a mistake. Mistakes happen. "But I never wanted safe." Shisui finished and Itachi swallowed thickly. 

 

Never wanted you.

 

The silence that followed felt almost crushing and Shisui seemed to feel it too. “Come on, please talk to her.” Shisui urged and reached forward, taking one of Itachi's hand in his own. “I want you guys to be friends. Will you try? For me?” Shisui was smiling that winning smile of his and Itachi’s fingers dug into the soft material of his blanket, almost desperate for something to intervene. Of course no one did and Shisui was looking at him with those beautiful, hopeful eyes of his. Itachi's mark practically burned

 

“I...of course.” He managed and Shisui’s smile was blinding . How could Itachi deny him? His soulmate? He couldn't deny him anything. If Shisui wanted him to befriend his wife and soulmate, who was Itachi to refuse him? What sort of best friend could he claim to be? Shisui suddenly moved forward as if to hug him before catching himself and instead clapping him on the shoulder. A friendly gesture. Just friends. Always. That was all they were now and Itachi would have to simply learn to accept that.

 


 

That night when Shisui returned to his small home, Katsumi was up waiting for him. She was still dressed from her own work, hair still in a ponytail the airy blue skirt she had picked still around her waist. She had waited patiently for her mark to appear and when it had she had been ecstatic. Her mother insisted she wait until his appeared as well. He hadn't approached her before hand which could only mean his had yet to appear. So she had waited and when Shisui had approached her that morning while she was filling out some paperwork for work, everything suddenly clicked into place.   It was obvious something was troubling Shisui. When Katsumi had asked him, he seemed conflicted. She knew it was about his best friend. Shisui had been a bit put out since Itachi had not shown up to the wedding ceremony. Lady Mikoto had excused her son's absence and Katsumi had understood he wasn't feeling well.

 

Still, Shisui seemed despondent over his missing companion. It had taken a lot of urging from Katsumi to convince Shisui to talk to Itachi. Hiding away and being worried did nothing. He had finally taken her advice and talked to Itachi. He said that Itachi agreed to meet her. It was a bit surprising and Katsumi would be lying if she said she wasn't nervous. Shisui had no immediate family to claim, but Itachi was obviously precious to him. Anyone who was important to Shisui was important to Katsumi. She didn't want to risk ruining things and having him dislike her. 

 

"I don't know," Shisui released a breath. "I can tell something's bothering him and he won't talk to me." He seemed to catch himself and shot his wife an apologetic grin. "Sorry, I must sound like a broken record by now." He scratched his cheek, glancing out the window.

 

"Hey, look at me." Katsumi took Shisui’s face and turned it so he met her eyes. She smiled, pressing her lips against the corner of his mouth. "You have nothing to apologize for. Maybe Itachi needs more time. I remember before my mark appeared, I didn't understand what the big deal was. He's only a kid, it seems understandable that he's having trouble understanding what exactly has happened." She gently explained and Shisui shook his head in response.

 

"Itachi's smart " He defended and Katsumi laughed gently, running her hand down his shoulder, smoothing out the wrinkles in his shirt. 

 

"I know he is." She teased. "As a shinobi there's no debate but off the field he's at a major disadvantage socially and emotionally. You said yourself how much trouble he has with making friends other than you. Maybe that's why he clung to you as hard as he did." It was understandable. Itachi's best friend was suddenly married and living a whole new life. Itachi must have been so confused by the sudden change. 

 

"Yeah...maybe…" Shisui still sounded uncertain and Katsumi pressed her lips against his in a tender kiss. 

 

"Please don't blame yourself for it. Just give him time to understand."  She knew kids. Understood them in ways that most didn't bother to. It was why was so beloved by them, she didn't just listen to hear, she listened to understand. She took them seriously as people. It made sense that she would understand Itachi's awkwardness. She had been there herself when she was younger. She took his hand, guiding him to the bedroom, resolute on allowing him to forget his worries for a bit.

 

She took Shisui hand, guiding it down her chest and Shisui watched her, transfixed. Her eyes remained locked with his as she brought his hand down between her legs. He lifted her skirt, heat rising in his cheeks when he realized she wasn't wearing anything under it.  She was wet and Shisui's  fingers gently curled, stroking through her folds as she closed her eyes.

 

"Remember when we snuck away after the ceremony and you ate me out under my gown?" She asked, rocking her hips against his fingers. "I want to do that again." If he wasn't hard already, he certainly was now. His mouth felt suddenly dry and he cleared his throat, attempting to find his words. Katsumi patiently waited for him, practically fucking herself on his fingers.

 

"I...yeah." Shisui cleared his throat, fingers curling inside her, his thumb moving against her clit, making her toes curl. "Let's try something a little different." Shisui offered and Katsumi lifted a thin eyebrow, appraising her husband with open curiosity. 

 

"I'm listening." She replied and Shisui flicked his finger before withdrawing his hand.  He lay back, pulling her forward and she crawled on top of him, heat rising in her cheeks as she realized what he was thinking. Shisui grinned at her, his dark eyes sparkling with mirth as he rested his head against the pillow. His curls framed his face, giving him an almost angelic look as he beckoned her forward.

 

"Come have a seat, dear wife." He teased, waggling his eyebrows at her. Katsumi fought down a nervous laugh and he held his arms out to her, fingers wiggling. She  lifted her skirt as she hovered over his face and he lifted his head just enough to press a kiss right against her cunt, causing her to gasp in surprise.  Shisui's fingers dug into her thighs as he pulled her down, mouth desperately moving to press against her cunt.  A breathy moan escaped her mouth and she reached out with one hand to rub her fingers through Shisui’s curls, grip tightening as she guided him, rocking her hips against his mouth. Her long hair fell around her shoulders and Shisui lifted his hand, brushing the long blond strands aside to move up her shirt, stopped by her bra. Katsumi made quick work of her shirt, pulling it over her head and tossing it aside and practically tearing her bra off. Shisui's hand clasped over one breast, and when Katsumi reached behind her to take his length he was rock hard under her touch.

 

"I love you." She breathed, eyes fluttering at he flicked her nipple. Shisui couldn't reply but he began to eat her in earnest, the noise his tongue was making against her folds was lewd and Katsumi ground against his eager mouth without pause. Life was good for them. Newlywed and eager for each other whenever they got the chance. It couldn't be more perfect. One day they would start a family, have little kids running around with Shisui's curly hair and Katsumi's gorgeous eyes. They would become talented shinobi in their own right. A future generation to lead the village into the future. Shisui turned his head, face shining and wet and he grinned up at her, fingers drumming against her thighs.

 

Yes, life was perfect. 





Chapter 3: Confessions

Chapter Text

The first meeting was a disaster. It wasn't like any fighting broke out. Nothing so vulgar as them coming to blows, but both were uncomfortable and didn't know where to start. Katsumi knew Itachi liked sweets and had made a point of getting some from her favorite tea shop. At first, Katsumi hadn't thought much of it. Itachi was young and at that age where moodiness was rather common, but upon meeting him she realized that his mannerisms wasn't those of a angsty teenager. This boy had been in love with Shisui and still was. He likely resented her for being his crush's soulmate. Neither knew how to speak to each other. Katsumi wanted this to work for Shisui's sake, but she knew deep down that Itachi was in love with her husband. She tried to not let that bother her, but it did. It ate at her in a way she didn't understand. Shisui was her soulmate, she knew she had nothing to worry about. Shisui was loyal and kind. A good man and a perfect match for her.

 

It wasn't Shisui she was worried about. It was the scrawny little Uchiha who at only fourteen was lauded as a gifted genius. A perfect shinobi. Looking at him, he didn't look all that threatening. Katsumi knew looks could be deceiving. Itachi sat across from her in the small wooden chair, hands folded on his lap, not touching the tea in front of him. His expression was composed, but there was obvious tension in his shoulders that mirrored Katsumi's own. Her eyes gave him a once over, trailing from his face and down before slowly coming back up. Her lips thinned as she took him in. He was scrawny, all awkward angles and odd, disjoined limbs. He wasn't someone she physically needed to look out for.  Compared to her, he wasn't much of a looker. Mother had always assured her that she was beautiful and maybe Katsumi had a vanity problem, but so what? If countless shinobi could be proud of their talents on the field, who couldn't she be proud of her slender jaw and arched eyebrows? Why couldn't she enjoy being beautiful? 

 

"How long have you been friends?" She asked, distractedly tapping on her cup with her long painted nails. Itachi's dark eyes met hers.

 

"About ten years now." Itachi replied. He had pretty eyes, Katsumi would give him that much. His eyelashes were long-much longer and fuller than hers. Yet the troves under each eye detracted from it, making him look worn out.

 

"Shisui says that you were ill the day of the wedding. I am glad to see you are feeling better now." Shisui had been very despondent that Itachi hadn't been there. He had kept looking out in the crowd, dark eyes anxious as he attempted to spot his cousin and unable to find him. Katsumi could only imagine how disappointed he was to not have his closest friend there to celebrate his wedding day. Katsumi's own friends had been there, a solid anchor for when her nerves had begun to fray.

 

"Yes, I'm feeling much better now." Itachi glanced down at his cup and this allowed Katsumi another opportunity to study him. His posture was stiff in discomfort, shoulders slightly hunched forward. He looked tired. Much too tired for a boy of fourteen. She knew that Itachi Uchiha had liked Shisui. he had probably had fantasies of them being soulmates. She herself could understand that. Children often had fanciful daydreams about their future soulmate and Shisui was certainly a worthy man to think about.

 

"Good. Shisui had been very concerned about you." Itachi glanced up, brushing his hair from his face, almost nervously.

 

"I didn't mean to worry him." He confessed and Katsumi offered him a tight smile. She felt for this boy, truly she did. This was likely his first crush and first heartbreak and she hoped he would heal in time. Yet, Shisui had been so distracted and worried about him that it only confirmed to her that itachi Uchiha would be a permanent fixture in their lives. If that was to happen, he needed to come to terms with some things. 1. Shisui was now married to his soulmate. 2. The time for games and sparring would have to come to an end. 3. He was no longer Shisui's priority. 

 

"You had a crush on him." Katsumi decided to cut to the chase as she lifted her cup. "It's perfectly normal to mourn losing an important relationship. It will fade in time." She took a sip as Itachi remained quiet, not bothering to deny her observation. They were both too smart to lie about it. "You are his dearest friend and I hope that in time you will accept that it is all you will ever be to him." She wasn't going to sugarcoat it. Itachi would one day get his own mark and get over Shisui, but for now she couldn't allow him to mope around her husband and make him feel guilty for something that wasn't even his fault. Shisui had enough on his plate and didn't need Itachi to put any more pressure on him.

 

"I know." Itachi's voice came out subdued and it twinged a bit of pity in Katsumi's heart. This wasn't some vindictive love rival. This was a young boy who was experiencing his first heartbreak. She set the cup down.

 

"Look, Shisui told me about how you two...well how you've kissed before and all that. I understand it can be confusing suddenly losing that connection and I don't blame you for being hurt." She offered the boy a gentle smile, resting her manicured hand on the table, her ring glittering under the light. "Just...try to be understanding, for Shisui's sake. He still loves you. You haven't suddenly lost him completely." Itachi offered her a curt nod and finally took a sip from his cup. Katsumi hoped that meant a victory. 

 


 

Itachi had left that awkward meeting feeling more self conscious than ever. He had gone for Shisui's sake, hoping that maybe he would find common ground with this strange woman who had come out of nowhere and claimed Shisui as her own. If Shisui wanted them to be friends, then he would try. For Shisui. Katsumi had been courteous, but it was obvious she knew he had feelings for her husband. She might not be aware of his mark, but she knew that it wasn't simply friendly feelings Itachi had. 

 

Itachi hated her.

 

Hated how perfect and lovely she was. All graceful lines and gentle slopes. Where she was soft Itachi was scrawny and awkward. Where she was charming and popular he was closed off and uncomfortable. How could he possibly stand a chance against her? How could he ever hope to get Shisui’s attention? She knew it too. She had his name on her skin and his ring on her finger. The necklace she wore had been in Shisui's family's possession for generations and now it had been passed to her. When Shisui had stopped over to visit, it was obvious that he had already spoken to Katsumi. He had come to stand outside Itachi's window as he always did and Itachi had met him at the edge, as usual. They stood in uncomfortable silence for a long moment. 

 

"You're angry with me." Shisui finally breathed. "Something isn't right." He looked worried. Shisui had always been the type to wear his heart on his sleeve. He was a good man who cared about the people around him. It was what had first drawn Itachi in. He was everything Itachi wasn't and offered a ray of light in the bleakest of circumstances. 

 

"I'm not angry with you." Itachi replied, a little shortly and Shisui winced at his tone. Itachi absently ran his fingers over the window ledge. "I'm just...disappointed." His voice trailed off and Shisui blinked at him on confusion. 

 

"What did I do?" He asked, reaching to grab Itachi's hand with both of his, cupping his fingers delicately. Itachi wanted to cling back, to lean into Shisui and never let go. Shisui was watching him closely, eyes searching for something in his face. "Are you seriously angry at me for finding my soulmate?" Shisui was staring at him, aghast, dropping his hand and leaving Itachi feeling cold. "Itachi, you know that what we were was all temporary. We were kids, kids experiment all the time. I thought you were okay with that." He looked confused, hurt that he couldn't understand why Itachi was pushing him away. Itachi's mark ached in response and he swallowed down the lump forming in his throat.

 

"I was." Itachi defended himself. Those kisses shared in dark corners had only been for them, only for fun. However, Itachi had taken each kiss and hidden it away within the fluttering adoration of his heart, content to wait for when Shisui's mark linked with his own.

 

“You didn’t even go to the ceremony!” Shisui snapped, for a moment looking genuinely hurt. “You’re my best friend and you weren’t even there for me. I told Katsumi you would be there, supporting me but you weren't. You never came. I needed you." He was distraught, openly so. He may have been able to pretend to not be upset about the ceremony earlier, but now he was laying his vulnerabilities out for Itachi to see.

 

"You don't need me anymore." Itachi pointed out. "You have your soulmate now." It was bitter on his tongue and thinking of that woman had uncharacteristic hatred blossoming in his chest. She didn't deserve it. Not really, but he wasn't able to quell that anger towards her; not yet, anyway.

 

"I'm not going to say I'm sorry for it happening.” Shisui suddenly looked exhausted.  “You'll understand when it happens to you." He shook his head, stepping back from the window and turning to walk away, disappointed in Itachi's attitude. Itachi hated the dismissiveness of it. Hated that Shisui was acting like he was being unreasonable. He wasn't some dumb lovestruck child. 

 

"I've had my mark since I was twelve." Itachi snapped at Shisui’s retreating back. Shisui stopped mid stride, turning to look at Itachi. The way the sunlight touched his hair gave him an almost ethereal glow. Itachi loved him, so bone-achingly deep.

 

"Oh." Shisui blinked in surprise. "You've never mentioned it before." Another awkward silence fell over them. "Have you told them yet?" Shisui asked after a moment and Itachi shook his head, eyes dropping to the window ledge again. "Are they really old or something? Or too young for it to pop up?"



"No, theirs' have appeared too." Itachi replied softly and Shisui returned to the window, leaning against it to offer his cousin an encouraging smile. 

 

"Oh, that’s great Itachi!" And Shisui looked so earnest in his happiness. "Have you guys spoken at all?" Itachi’s throat tightened and he forced himself to remain composed. He didn't want to break down in front of Shisui. He wasn't some civilian teenager with their first crush. He was a shinobi. He was ANBU, father expected better of him. He expected better of himself. He wasn't going to break down just because something hasn't turned out the way he had expected. 

 

"No, I'm not going to be with them." He finally replied, bitterness tinging his tone as Shisui frowned in open confusion.

 

"Why not? They're your soulmate." It seemed simple enough to him, and why shouldn't it be? Soulmates should be together. It's the entire reason they had matching marks. 

 

"They're with someone else." Itachi wanted to drop it. He regretted even saying anything. He should have just let Shisui go back home to his wife. He heard the older boy laugh lightly. 

 

"I think a soulmate marks trumps some relationship." He reached over to place a friendly hand over Itachi's. "Is that why you've been so off? I can go with you when you're ready to talk to them. I promise it's not as bad as it seems." Itachi's eyes stung. It was just like Shisui to offer his help. He had always been kind like that. He pulled his arm from Shisui's touch, his skin tingling as it always did when he touched him.

 

"They're with their soulmate." Itachi took a breath and looked up to meet Shisui's confused stare. "We don't share marks. They're my soulmate but I'm not theirs." There it was, he had finally said it out loud.

 

"Oh shit, Itachi." Shisui’s face fell. He was suddenly crawling through the window to get into Itachi's room. Itachi watched him in dazed silence.  "I'm so sorry to hear that. That's so rare. Have you at least talked with them?" Itachi shook his head, throat tight. "Can I ask who it is? Do I know them?" Itachi nodded, unable to bring himself to speak.

 

"Oh." Shisui murmured. His eyes widened. "Oh no, Itachi...it’s Katsumi?" He looked horrified. Itachi couldn’t believe how blind he was. Was he truly this ignorant or was he simply trying to brush off the inevitable truth? Shisui was looking at him with open concern and Itachi's heart ached at having him this close. He moved forward, hands reaching to grasp Shisui by the face and pull him into a deep kiss, more intimate than anything they had shared before. He felt Shisui stiffen under his touch, but he did not pull away, allowing Itachi to kiss him. This kiss felt different than the rest. It felt as if Itachi was releasing all his pent up anxieties and hopes into one simple action and his mark, for the first time in weeks was suddenly no longer aching in pain, but lulled into something calmer. Completion. 

 

"You're so stupid sometimes, Shisui." He breathed as he pulled away, hands still cupping Shisui's face. Shisui's eyes were half lidded, pupils dilated. He looked beautiful. 

 

"I...Itachi-" Realization slowly dawned in Shisui’s eyes and his mouth opened and closed. "No...no it can't-Itachi-" He looked desperate, terrified of what Itachi would say. He pulled back, hand groping for the window ledge as he stared at Itachi. Itachi stepped back and pulled the corner of his pants down, lifting his shirt so Shisui could see his name printed against his flesh. Shisui's eyes fell down to the mark, swallowing audibly.

 

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asked, voice hushed and pained. Itachi shrugged helplessly, looking down at his feet as he grasped at the edge of his shirt.

 

"I thought...well, I thought you would get yours eventually and I could surprise you with mine." It had been fanciful and childish. He had been so excited. He had never allowed himself to consider the possibility that Shisui's mark would not have his name. Why would he have worried? It was almost unheard of. More so than having no name at all.  Shisui reached forward, fingers just barely grazing over his name on Itachi's skin, stroking it softly. Itachi's skin tingled at his touch and the mark seemed to react, as if Shisui's touch awoke something in it.  Shisui knelt down, hand moving to touch Itachi’s hip, fingers spanning over his skin. It felt like completion. 

 

Chapter 4: Sting

Chapter Text

Shisui's fingers traced over Itachi's mark as if attempting to memorize it by touch alone. Itachi stood very still, allowing his fingers to explore. Shisui's hands were warm and left Itachi feeling at ease for the first time since Shisui told him about his own mark. "You've had my name for two years and never said anything." Shisui mused, eyes fixed on the mark. "I don't know how you could be so patient."  It had been worth it. It would have been worth it. Shisui was worth waiting for, even if Itachi had to wait a lifetime for his to appear. 

 

"I thought," Itachi shifted, clearing his throat. "I thought it would be worth the wait." Under the soft bedroom lighting, it was almost like the touch of a lover as Shisui's fingers explored the skin of his hip.Shisui glanced up, his hand resting on Itachi's bare hip. His smile was gentle and sad. Shisui had always been the type to wear his heart on his sleeve. It was one of the many things Itachi had adored about him. He didn't lose his kindness or generosity even when facing trial after trial. Shisui was still inherently good. His fingers were sending pleasant tingles down Itachi's back that he doubted was just the mark. His touch had always been a welcome one.

 

"I'm sorry, Itachi." He whispered and his voice was sincere. He pulled his hand away and stood, leaving Itachi's skin feeling oddly numb. "Have you...does anyone know?" It used to be so easy to talk to each other. Shisui had been the only person Itachi had ever truly felt comfortable around. It had been as if his soul knew that Shisui was destined to be his soulmate before his name had even appeared. Their shared kisses had been so intimate, so sweet that Itachi had been sure fate meant for them to find each other.

 

"Mother and father know about it, already." Itachi replied, letting his shirt drop and Shisui nodded in understanding, absently rubbing his arm. A habit he had when he was anxious or uncomfortable. 

 

"Yeah...I figured they would." Shisui replied awkwardly. "I guess that explains why you weren't at the ceremony...were you okay?" His eyes met Itachi's, so concerned and gentle hearted. It made Itachi's throat ache.

 

"I wasn't feeling my best, no." Itachi didn't want to share how he had cried like a child in his mother's arms. How his skin had felt like it was flaying as he had peeked in on the vows. That was something between his mother and himself. Shisui swallowed, his eyebrows furrowing in open worry.

 

"And to think I...I was going on and on about it and you must have...shit Itachi...I'm sorry." Itachi shrugged at this, suddenly too anxious to meet Shisui's eyes. He hadn't planned on telling him. Especially like this, but now it was too late to take it back. They stood in heavy silence for a long moment. Itachi couldn't hear anyone in the house moving around, meaning they must all still be out of the house. Father had taken Sasuke to a meeting and mother was out visiting someone in the village. He jerked in surprise when he felt Shisui's hand move back to touch his now clothed hip.

 

"Shisui?" There was an odd look on the older boy's face, almost as if he was somewhere far away. He didn't answer Itachi for a long moment and Itachi fell quiet, just waiting for him to speak. Itachi watched his face as Shisui's fingers absently stroked over his hip. His lips were pursed, eyes narrowed and staring at a point Itachi couldn't see. Finally, Shisui closed his eyes and breathed through his nose, gaze lifting to look at Itachi.

 

“I’m not leaving her for you.” Shisui stated a little too quickly for Itachi's tastes. He knew Shisui was all about loyalty and would never dream of betraying his wife. The fact that he thought Itachi was trying to make him choose was sobering. 

 

“I didn’t expect you to.” Itachi replied defensively, pulling away from the older boy. Shisui suddenly looked pained, hands immediately moving as if to pull Itachi back to him.

 

“Maybe...maybe we shouldn’t hang out with each other for a while." Shisui ran a hand through his curls, expression troubled. "At least until we can figure out what to do about your mark. Just to be safe." There was a heavy beat of silence and Itachi fought not to sputter in indignation. Instead he took a steadying breath, hoping he had heard Shisui wrong. His hip was suddenly throbbing as if knowing Shisui was trying to put distance between them.

 

“Are you serious?” Itachi stared at him, suddenly recognizing that warring expression on Shisui's face. Shisui was worried. Worried that Itachi's mark was going to cause trouble with his wife. Still, Itachi had never considered the possibility that Shisui would choose Katsumi over him. It seemed...wrong. Even if she was his soulmate, Itachi had always thought that what they had would mean something more.

 

“Itachi, how do you think it would look if I’m seen running around with someone who has my name on them when they’re not my soulmate?" That was a hard hit. "How do you think Katsumi would feel?” It always came back to her didn't it? One year ago she had been a nobody, a stranger. Six months ago! She had been no one, nothing and now she was all Shisui cared about.

 

“I really don’t care about how Katsumi feels.” Itachi replied, that familiar flair of hatred burning in his chest. He knew it wasn’t fair of him, that it was petty and childish but he clung to it. Shisui shot him a troubled look, obviously not expecting Itachi to push back as he did. 

 

Itachi, she’s my soulmate.” Shisui ran a hand through his hair, eyebrows furrowing as he looked back at his cousin. His urls were now mused, standing on end from the constant touching. Itachi used to like twirling those curls around his fingers. Now he never could do that. Not when poor sweet Katsumi's feelings could be hurt.

 

“And you’re mine.” Itachi stared at Shisui until the older boy turned away in discomfort. Shisui released a breath. Itachi could see the tension in his broad shoulders. This wasn't fair. None of this was fair. Shisui turned back to Itachi who remained tense. 

 

"You're my best friend, Itachi. You know I love you." Shisui reached out as if to touch Itachi’s shoulder before stopping short, hand falling back to his side. "But I'm not going to leave my wife. I have a chance of a future with her, Itachi. We can have kids, settle down. You were never meant for that sort of life. You were always meant for something more." He wasn't wrong. Itachi was destined to remain a shinobi, especially considering Father had disinherited him  in favor of Sasuke after the whole fiasco with the village. Still, hearing it hurt. Itachi wasn’t meant for much at all. 

 

"Oh." Was all he could think to say and Shisui's face dropped, suddenly stumbling over his words and uncertain on what to do. He was a fixer and he wanted to fix this.

 

"We can’t tell Katsumi. This would...she'd be devastated." Itachi once again wondered why he should care about how she felt, but he wasn't going to risk upsetting Shisui.

 

"I wonder what it would feel like to be devastated by a soulmate." Itachi replied, uncharacteristically sarcastic. "Truly, it sounds agonizing." Shisui's fingers twitched and Itachi heard him breath sharply through his nose. He was getting frustrated, Itachi knew logically this wasn't his fault. That he was simply trying to do what was best for his wife, but it didn't change the fact that Itachi felt like trash that Shisui was trying to discard. 

 

“You can’t tell anyone else about your mark.” Shisui snapped. “No one can know.” Literally no one but Itachi, Shisui and his parents knew about the mark, but somehow it was too much to be seen in Itachi's company. What if someone suspected them? Just some dirty little secret. That's all Itachi would ever be to him. If that was how he wanted it, then fine. Itachi would be just that.

 

"Don't worry." Itachi coldly replied, chin tilting and eyes hardening in what he knew was a replica of his mother's coldest glare. "I would hate to ruin your perfect reputation with your perfect bride while you two build your perfect new life and make perfect little babies. I would loathe to get in the way of that." He could picture it now. Shisui and his wife with two beautiful, perfect children. Who was he to come between that?

 

"Itachi, that's not fair." Shisui replied, tone exhausted. Itachi's heart ached for him. He was trying to do what he thought was right, always wanting to do the right thing. Itachi had never considered that he would see Itachi as wrong. 

 

"Isn't it?" Itachi drawled and turned away from the older boy. "Go away Shisui, I'm sure your soulmate is missing you." He stared at the opposite wall, eyes fixed on  a drawing Sasuke had done for Itachi when he was younger. He stared at the green shaky lines from the crayon until the dinosaur on the paper was fuzzy and indistinguishable. He heard Shisui release a breath behind him, but he did not speak again. He did not reach out or approach Itachi again. Itachi did not allow himself to turn or move until Shisui's chakra had completely faded from his room as he returned to his wife. Itachi's hand moved, fingers slowly covering his stinging hip.

 

Shisui had always been the only person who could reduce Itachi to tears.




 

It felt like loss and Shisui was not even really gone. They didn't speak to each other for another three months. Itachi no longer attended clan meetings, which was fine by him since Katsumi was always there like a parasite, attached to Shisui's side. He instead threw himself into ANBU and village duties, often taking up extra missions with Kakashi-taichou and Tenzo-san. Sasuke had noticed the tension and had taken it upon himself to be Itachi’s defender of sorts. He didn’t know about Shisui and Itachi, but he knew that his brother was upset about something and was quick to offer support. Itachi appreciated him for it.

 

Itachi did a good job of pretending. He was a good actor, he had always known that. His performance with ANBU never wavered and without Shisui as a distraction, he could put more time in with them rather than the times he had taken to train and spar with his cousin. Sometimes he allowed himself to meet Izumi for tea and talking with her was always relaxing. Mother and father didn't suspect much, but had noticed he and Shisui had stopped talking at some point. They both knew about Itachi's mark and likely understood that there was going to be some tensions. They weren't yet aware that Shisui knew as well. It wasn't something Itachi planned on bringing up with them. Itachi knew that father had expected and hoped that he and Izumi would end up paired. He had liked Izumi's sweet nature and friendliness towards Itachi. He had likely thought it would be a good, healthy match. Now, those hopes were dashed by the name slapped across Itachi's hip.

 

A silver lining in the entire situation was that since Itachi didn't see Shisui, he also didn't have to see Katsumi. They were still in that 'honeymoon' phase where they were often seen together. Eventually they would reach a more independent point, but much like a bitch in heat, Shisui's focus was entirely on his wife. Since Katsumi wasn't part of the shinobi community, it made things easier for him once he would leave the confines of the Uchiha compound. Eventually, Itachi found himself spending more and more time outside his home than within the walls. Sometimes Sasuke would accompany him, always eager to spend time with his brother and Itachi enjoyed having someone in the family he could turn to that had no expectations of him other than as a brother.

 

Itachi's fifteenth birthday came and went with little fanfare. Shisui didn't reach out to him and Itachi was honestly more relieved than anything. Mother and father had gotten him a new cleaning kit for his tantō and even Kakashi-taichou and Tenzo-san had gotten him new gloves for his ANBU uniform that were weather protective against the cold. Sasuke had been adamant about getting him a gift and had been oddly thoughtful in what he had chosen. Rather than something related to his work with ANBU or weapon related, he had gotten Itachi a set of tea from a local teahouse, with four different options to choose from. Itachi had been brimming with excitement to try some and had thanked Sasuke who pretended to be unaffected and casual about the gift as if he had not spent far too much time combing over different flavors of tea in order to choose the perfect one for his brother. He had always been incredibly thoughtful, under that casual, detached exterior. 

 

Six days after his birthday Itachi had returned to his room after training, he had been surprised by a small delicately wrapped parcel sitting on his bed. After concluding that it was safe to open, Itachi had found an assortment of mochi inside. He recognized the logo from the dango shop he frequented and all the flavors included were the ones he favored. His cheeks flushed in pleasure and he stared down at the little sweets. There was no card attached but it didn't matter. Itachi knew who had sent them.

 

Chapter 5: Desire

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Shisui Uchiha was at the end of his rope. He hated the feeling in the pit of his stomach, hated feeling powerless. When he was younger he hadn't thought much of soulmates. It seemed ridiculous to be bound to another person in such a way. To have something practically decided for you. It wasn't until he got a little older that he had allowed himself to even think about his future soulmate and their lives together. Shisui knew Katsumi before his mark appeared. Not very well, but they had spoken before. She was a formable woman, confident in her field and dedicated to it as much as any shinobi was to theirs. Both the Yamanaka and Uchiha clans had been incredibly supportive of his and Katsumi's union. It had been a quick courtship and before they knew it they were married. It felt right. Maybe it was the marks talking, but somehow the connection they formed felt more deep and more intimate than anything Shisui had felt before. Not even Itachi had managed to make his palms sweat and his heart race with way Katsumi did. The fact alone made the bombshell Itachi dropped even harder to bear. 

 

They had never fought before. Or if they had, it had never been anything they couldn't fix quickly. This however was much different. This wasn't something they could talk about and find an easy solution. Shisui was Itachi's soulmate. He had seen the mark, he had touched it with his own hand. Itachi had been waiting patiently for over two years, expecting that once Shisui's mark appeared they would be able to talk about it. He must have been horrified when Shisui had approached him that day. Shisui had been so exuberant, so pleased that he had barely paid any attention to Itachi's reaction. It must have been like a slap to the face, waiting and anticipating for their marks to match, only for Shisui's skin to claim another. He left a gift for Itachi. An assortment of flavored mochi. He hadn't reached out to him since their argument, too proud and too nervous about what Itachi would say to him. 

 

Shisui was left torn with being happy to have his other half and pity Itachi for his plight. He tried putting himself in his shoes and imagining himself watching Katsumi love another. It was hard to even consider. He knew some people never had marks. Like Kakashi Hatake and the sannin Orochimaru. Neither seemed too upset with this outcome and went about their lives-Orochimaru in a less than savory fashion.  There were others as well, but he didn't know them very well. It was rumored they had no soul-mark because their soulmate had died before it could appear. There were only two well known cases of a person having a mismatched name in all of Konoha. One had been a young woman nearly forty years ago. The man who she believed was her soulmate was matched with another and the woman fled the village, unable to stomach the thought of seeing her soulmate with another. The other was only a rumor, an old-wives tale. Apparently Madara Uchiha's soulmate had been Hashirama Senju who of course had married his soulmate Mito Uzumaki. It was rumored that the soulmate mark had been part of the tension between the two rivals and what had ultimately led to the final battle.

 

All speculation of course. Shisui doubted it was anything that fanciful. He knew he had the clan's support. It had only been a year and a half since tensions with the clan and village had calmed down. It had only been Danzo Shimura's death that had given them time to reach peace talks with the Hokage. Disaster had been averted. Danzo's failure to steal Shisui's eye had finally pushed both parties into reaching a compromise. Itachi's role in the entire situation had been exposed and if not for Fugaku's staunch protectiveness of his son, Itachi would likely have been banished. There was always a fall man in any scandal and it seemed Itachi was it.  It only reaffirmed Sasuke's role as the new clan head and freed Itachi of the clutches clan politics. Hiruzen seemed keen on keeping Itachi close as it was. Whatever plans he had for Itachi would likely take Itachi far from the clan's reach. Shisui's role had likewise been exposed, but unlike Itachi the clan had seemed to accept that his attempts were catered more closely to benefitting the clan's wellbeing. Hiruzen had advised him not to mention his initial plans to manipulate Fugaku, convinced that confessing would negate all the work put into rebuilding those bridges. 

 

Now with Itachi at odds with him, he had to be feeling quite lonesome. He had no real close bonds in the clan other than his family and Izumi Uchiha, but she was busy with her own life and was not around as much as she used to be. Shisui could only imagine how he must feel. He had formed some tentative bonds outside the clan, but hardly anything stable and reassuring. For the fourth time in two days, Shisui found himself looking to the Uchiha clanhead's residence and trying to convince himself to approach. Fugaku and Mikoto would welcome him, even with the situation with Itachi, they had never treated him badly. Sasuke liked him too, but Shisui didn't doubt he was prowling around in defense of his beloved brother. So, for the fourth time in two days, Shisui turned away from the house with his hands stuffed in his pockets and walked away. It was time he returned to Katsumi anyway.

 


 

"You've been at this for hours." Shisui's warm voice was a soothing balm. Katsumi glanced up, looking over to see Shisui leaning against the doorframe, arms crossed with a fond smile spread across his lips. She had been so absorbed in her work she hadn't noticed him enter. Katsumi set her paperwork down, brushing her hair from her face as she offered Shisui a small smile. Under the soft office lighting, Shisui looked lovely, all dark curls and sparkling eyes.

 

 "I'm nearly done." She confirmed. She knew he had heard that from her so many times already, but he never seemed to be upset by it. Shisui pushed off the wall and walked forward, placing his hand on the back of the chair as he leaned down to press a kiss against Katsumi's lips. It started off chaste, but quickly deepened and Katsumi reached up to cup Shisui's jaw. Shisui's hand traveled down the top of her shirt, deftly unbuttoning it to allow his fingers to reach for her breast. He grinned into the kiss as she gasped against him, seeming to try to move closer and allow him more access. 

 

Both Shisui and Katsumi found they were extremely adventurous in the bedroom. Shisui had been a virgin when they married, having only had some experience before his wife. Those had all been teenage fun, a way to let out some pent up energy. The furthest he had gotten was when a chunin had sucked him off outside the hospital and Shisui hadn't even spoken to them since. Katsumi had been with one person prior, an old fling that had ended upon them finding their soulmate. From what Shisui gathered, she had learned a lot from him and it gave her a leg up in the bedroom. Shisui was more than happy to follow her lead. Sometimes this included toys, sometimes it ended with Shisui's hand tied to the headboard as Katsumi did as she pleased. Shisui didn't mind it, enjoying letting Katsumi take control. Even at the times where he was in a more dominant position, it was Katsumi pulling the strings. It was the most fun Shisui had had in sometime. 

 

He had been in control for so long, always the one making the decisions. As a shinobi, as a jonin and as a spy against his own clan. He wanted to be able to let go, to enjoy the freedoms of having someone else lead for once. Katsumi offered that without hesitation. She was in control of her professional life and she wanted to maintain that control outside as well. It suited them well. Katsumi suited him well. She would never have liked being with someone who tried to control her or disrespect her. She wanted someone who understood her desires and matched them.

 

"Take a break?" He suggested between kisses, fingers finding her nipple and tweaking it. "You said earlier you were ahead of schedule, I'm sure a break wouldn't hurt at all." He trailed his lips down her cheek, mouth moving to her neck which she bared to him, eyes falling shut. His touch always managed to have her skin tingling. He always managed to make her stumble in the best of ways. 

 

"I really...really shouldn't..." She managed to speak up, voice hushed. "You know how I...like being ahead of schedule." Shisui chuckled against her ear, nipping her lobe as his hand moved from her chest down past her navel, fingers reaching and greedy. Such an impatient young man. Katsumi would be lying if she said she wasn't right there with him.

 

"My lovely wife, so dedicated and passionate for your work." He reached down the front of her skirt, stroking his fingers through her pubic hair before dipping lower. Katsumi hummed, hands splaying out on the desk as she parted her thighs. "You're wet, Katsumi." He murmured into her ear, sounding thrilled with his discovery. 

 

"Basic biology, Shisui." She replied with no bite, hips moving against his hand. She allowed his fingers to wander, resisting the urge to direct him where to touch. She could hear his breathing getting labored and she rewarded him with a soft moan. "Go get in the bed and get ready. I will be there in five minutes." She turned her head, offering him a slow smile that he quickly returned, eyes lighting up in anticipation. 

 

"Yes ma'am." He replied and offered her a two finger salute before turning on his heel. She watched as he strode to the door, a satisfied little smile curling her lips as she fiddled with her pen.

 

"Oh, and Shisui?" Katsumi called out and Shisui turned towards his wife. "I expect you to be prepared when I get there." Her eyes flickered down to the growing bulge in Shisui's pants and the Uchiha nodded his understanding, grinning ear to ear. Yes, he definitely found that he enjoyed letting Katsumi boss him around in and out of the bedroom. Katsumi smiled as he left the room, chin resting in her palm. She knew he had been distracted the past few days and she knew what or who the cause was. The fact that Itachi was hurting Shisui in this way left a bad taste in her mouth. Young or not, it seemed highly cruel and childish for Itachi to be so angry with Shisui for something he had no control over. She had half a mind to speak to Mikoto about it and let her straighten out her child. She glanced down at her paperwork, but found herself unable to focus. She set the pen down and pushed her chair back, getting to her feet and glancing over her shoulder. She couldn't hear Shisui.

 

She glanced down at herself. Her shirt was half unbuttoned from Shisui's attention. Smiling, Katsumi slipped her skirt and underwear off and tousled her hair. She glanced at herself in the small compact mirror she kept on her desk, admiring her reflection. She was a married woman with a blossoming career and a lovely home. She had the life she had always envisioned for herself. No one could take this from her and no one ever would. Turning, Katsumi walked from the office and down the hall. She could now hear Shisui's soft breaths and she smiled in satisfaction, slowly unbuttoning the rest of her shirt as she walked into their bedroom. Shisui's eyes lit up as he spotted her, lips curling into a pleased grin. Katsumi preened in satisfaction. This was her soulmate. His smile and body was for her and her alone.

 

No one could take that.

Notes:

So, I am curious on what you guys would want to see if Itachi and Shisui don't end up together. What pairings are you interested in? Still up in the air about the endgame.

Chapter 6: Accident

Chapter Text

Nothing felt right. Ever since Itachi had confessed about his own mark and they had stopped talking, Shisui felt like something was missing. His chest ached and even being around Katsumi didn't offer the balm that it usually did. Shisui wasn't sleeping well and his mission performance had to be slipping or if not yet, it soon would be. Katsumi had noticed it and was open concerned. Shisui hadn't wanted to concern her with his own issues, knowing she had enough on her plate with her work. She was able to piece a bit together with her limited information and had quickly jumped to the conclusion that it was related to Itachi. That had been correct at least, but she seemed to place the blame firmly on his shoulders. 

 

"Should I talk to Mikoto?" Katsumi offered one evening over dinner and Shisui puffed out a breath. He had been sullen, playing with his food rather than eating it and distracted when Katsumi tried to engage him in conversation. Now she had his full attention.

 

"What for?" He asked in confusion. "Itachi's not some misbehaving child. It was just a fight. People fight." It sounded weird for Katsumi to even thank of going to Mikoto over something like this. As if Itachi was a errant child. Katsumi brushed her hair behind her ear, lips thinning slightly into a look Shisui had learned to recognize as frustration. 

 

"Well, obviously it's enough to affect you like this." Katsumi absently glanced down at her plate, brows furrowing slightly. "He seems to have you all wound up." It was true enough. Itachi was the only person who could get under Shisui's skin like this. He knew that he hadn't been hiding his feelings well enough and it wasn't fair to Katsumi. 

 

"It was a fight, I didn't help things." Shisui tried to explain.  "It wasn't just from him. I said some shitty things." Shisui admitted. Katsumi's face softened and she set her chopsticks down before standing to walk over to where Shisui sat.

 

"I didn't realize." She admitted,  looking embarrassed. She gently reached out to touch his shoulder.   "I shouldn’t have assumed but I thought asking would be overstepping.  "You and him fought? What happened?" Katsumi asked, stroking Shisui’s hair. Katsumi leaned into her touch, feeling dejected that she was treating him so kindly when he had been the one to be an asshole. 

 

"Yeah...he was upset with me and I was upset with him. I told him that we should take a break hanging out." There was a heavy moment of silence.  Katsumi blinked in surprise, her hand stilling against his hair as if stunned by his words. 

 

"Why would you want that?" She asked in open confusion, her hand not moving. "I thought you were trying to smooth things over." It sounded so obvious coming from her, as if Shisui should know better. 

 

Shisui hesitated. "I...I just know he's uncomfortable and it would be best." He heard Katsumi sigh and lean forward, taking Shisui's chin between her slender fingers to turn his face towards hers. 

 

"Shisui, he'll get over us eventually. Telling him you don't want to see him won't endear him to either of us. It's only going to push him away." She pointed out slowly and Shisui nearly squirmed in embarrassment with the way she was looking at him. It was like she was ashamed of him, disappointed that he had been the aggressor in the argument. She had obviously expected that it was Itachi who had been in the wrong, not the married man who should know better by now.

 

"I know I just panicked." He finally managed to speak up. It sounded so stupid hearing himself say it. It must have been a slap to Itachi's face to hear his best friend practically tell him to go away. 

 

"Maybe you should talk to him." Katsumi suggested logically. "Clear the air a bit." She always had the answer to everything, it seemed. Steadfast and logical in comparison to Shisui's often flighty thought processes. 

 

"He won't want to see me. I really hurt his feelings." He replied and Katsumi chuckled, returning to her seat and offering her husband an amused smile. She picked up her chopsticks and used them to grab a piece of chicken. He watched as she took a bite, his appetite still not there. Katsumi swallowed and wiped her mouth with her napkin before glancing over at Shisui.

 

"Oh, I think he will." She replied gently. "You're his best friend, he's just waiting for you to come to him." Shisui nodded absently and stared down at his plate. He heard Katsumi sigh and didn't look up as she cleaned her plate from the table, not touching his plate as she walked into the kitchen. Things had been so much easier before his mark appeared. He was happy with Katsumi, but that fairy tale happy ending now seemed even more like nothing but a myth. 

 




It took Shisui another week to build up the courage to speak to Itachi. He didn't sleep the night before, having gone over the conversation again and again in his head. He knew Itachi was going to be upset with him. He knew he deserved it. He and Itachi had never fought before. This all felt wrong to him. Itachi and him were not the type to get into petty squabbles and even knowing that this was more than that, it was still embarrassing to think that Shisui had pushed his best friend away in order to keep his wife happy. A wife, who had no idea what was actually going on. He had met him at the porch, just as Itachi had been getting ready to go off somewhere. Both had hesitated at the sight of each other. Itachi didn't offer any physical reaction, shooting Shisui a cursory glance. He looked good. Not that he didn't always look good or anything, but seeing him again had Shisui appreciating the slope of his jaw and the way his hair was delicately pulled back. 

 

"Is there something you need?" Itachi finally asked, back straight as he studied Shisui with a guarded expression. Shisui had put that expression there. Katsumi had been right, he had hurt Itachi by pushing him away.

 

"Yeah, I uhh came to talk." Shisui shuffled his feet like a little kid, oddly cowed under Itachi's dark eyes. Itachi hummed in acknowledgment, not moving from the step. He turned his head away from Shisui, glancing down past the row of houses.

 

"Mother and father are currently out. I will be sure to tell them you stopped by." He replied genially and Shisui opened and closed his mouth in confusion. He knew what Itachi was doing. Had witnessed it before, but this was the first time it was directed at him. Itachi was pushing back, refusing to show any weakness in front of his friend, refusing to be vulnerable. 

 

"What? Itachi, no. I came to talk to you." He finally managed to reply and Itachi raised and eyebrow at him, crossing his arms over his chest. His face was shadowed by the steep roof of the porch, casting him in a half lit half dark backdrop. It was almost threatening the way Itachi was looking down at him. As if Shisui was a disappointment. 

 

"I thought we shouldn't talk anymore." He replied bitterly.  "Lest I tempt you away from your blushing bride." Shisui seemed at a loss for words and Itachi took this as the end of the conversation. He turned to walk back into the house.  Shisui reached forward and grabbed Itachi’s hand. Itachi turned, glowering at him.

 

"I know I said some shitty things." He began. "Please, just hear me out." He didn't want Itachi to still be hurting. He didn't want to keep pushing his friend away like he had been. Itachi's face softened for a moment, studying Shisui's face.  "We can’t just leave things like this. Katsumi told me how dumb I was being and I can't believe I didn't see it myself." Shisui pleaded. "We have to talk."

 

"I'm not your soulmate Shisui, you can't expect to snap your fingers and have me listen." Itachi replied coldly, his earlier softening expression quickly hardening. It was obvious that mentioning Katsumi was a mistake. 

 

"You might not be mine, but I'm yours." It was a low blow and Shisui seemed to realize this. Shisui was messing up again. He was messing this up and didn't know what to do to fix it. He closed his eyes.  "I'm sorry, that was unnecessary." Itachi laughed without humor.

 

"Clearly. Let go of me." There was a flash of vulnerability that he had never managed to hide from Shisui. A brief moment of hurt that had Shisui's eyes stinging. He hadn't meant to say it. He didn't know why he did. It was uncharacteristic of him to lash out like that, especially to Itachi.

 

"Not until we talk about this." Shisui pleaded. "I'm sorry I keep messing up...I know I should know better by now but when you told me about your mark I panicked, I thought I was going to have to choose and I was afraid. Every good thing I have had in my life always seems to get taken away. I thought that it would be a simple deal once I had my mark. Something that was solid and wouldn't leave. I didn't mean to hurt you or push you away. I know you deserved better than me bailing just because of my own insecurities." 

 

"Shisui, let go." He sounded tired and looked even more-so. 

 

"Itachi!" Shisui pleaded, stepping back. What happened next was an unfortunate mix of high emotions and clumsiness. Itachi had turned, wanting to end the conversation and had pulled his hand to get out of Shisui’s grip. He stepped up onto the porch, leaving Shisui behind. Shisui did not release his grip on Itachi's hand as he attempted to wrench him back but standing lower than Itachi, caused the younger boy to fumble over the step, falling back as Shisui maintained a grip on his fingers. There was a sudden dull cracking noise and Shisui released his grip as if burned. Itachi wrenched his hand back, face pinched up in pain as he studied his hand. Shisui stared at him in horror. 

 

"Shit." He croaked. He reached out to Itachi who stepped back, hand tucked to his chest. "Shit, Itachi I'm sorry, let me-"

 

"Hey!" A voice suddenly barked from down the hall. Shisui and Itachi glanced up to see Sasuke advancing on them.  "What the fuck did you just do!?” Sasuke was incensed, stalking towards the pair as if possessed. He must have seen the altercation while walking to the house. 

 

"Sasuke-" Shisui started. Why was he doing this? Why was he messing up so badly?

 

"Shut up!"  Sasuke turned to Itachi, reaching for his arm just as Shisui attempted to move forward and check over Itachi's fingers. “No! Get away from my brother you piece of shit!”  Sasuke was practically foaming at the mouth in his rage, standing between his brother and Shisui with his back to Itachi, reaching blindly behind him as if to assure himself Itachi was still there.  "If you ever lay a finger on him again I will kill you! Do you understand me? I will fucking end you!" This wasn't the little boy who used to follow at their heels whining about wanting to play. This was the young heir to the clan who had witnessed his brother be hurt and was ready to see blood in retribution. 


"Sasuke, it's fine." Itachi argued, gingerly flexing his fingers. "Nothing's broken." He wasn't looking at Shisui though. He turned back towards the house, carefully walking up the steps. Sasuke glowered at Shisui before following after his brother. Itachi turned at the door, meeting Shisui's despondent face with a placid reaction. "Go home, Shisui. I'm sure Katsumi is wondering where you are." He turned again and strode back into the house, leaving Shisui staring after him, feeling sick to his stomach.

 

Chapter 7: Secret

Chapter Text

Nothing was broken from the altercation with Shisui. There was bruising but that was it, the crack lately being a joint cracking. Sasuke had been adamant that he get his hand checked out, but Itachi assured him that the bruises would fade and the pain was minor. It took some convincing, but Itachi was able to talk Sasuke out of mentioning the argument with Shisui to their parents. The last thing Itachi wanted was to draw anymore attention towards himself. Sasuke was not happy, but seemed to respect his brother's wishes for the moment. "I don't understand why you won't just tell them. Shisui and you've been weird for months now," Sasuke was lounged on Itachi's bed, watching as his brother finished up his mission report. Itachi smiled to himself, setting the paperwork aside so he could glance back at his brother.

 

"Can you keep secret?" Itachi asked and watched as Sasuke quickly sat up and eyed his curiously, still pouting in displeasure.

 

"Yeah," Sasuke sullenly replied, crossing his arms in an attempt to seem unconcerned about it all. However, the way his eyebrows rose were giving him away. He was very much still that little boy who hung on his Nii-san's every word and the thought of Itachi sharing a secret with him was far too exciting. Itachi pushed away from the desk and stood, Sasuke watching with rapt attention as he approached him. Itachi hesitated for a moment before lifting the bottom of his shirt up and pulling his pants down just enough so Sasuke could see his hip and the soulmate mark etched there. Sasuke blinked, staring at the mark for a long moment before realization dawned on him.

 

"He's your soulmate!?" He squawked, jumping to his feet so fast that Itachi had to step back so they didn't bump into each other. "Does he know? Why's he married to that girl then?" Itachi let his shirt fall back into place.

 

"He knows and he and Katsumi...they share marks." Itachi explained, trying to find the right words. It was definitely awkward to explain. Sasuke was still at that age where he likely found the idea of a soulmate to be gross. Sasuke only looked confused at Itachi's explanation and immediately reached to grab at his shirt to take another look. 

 

"But why would his not match yours?" He asked as Itachi pulled away from his reach.  It should match. Logically if someone had one name, that person should have theirs. That was how it had always been explained and it wasn't until he was older that Itachi realized any differently. 

 

"Sometimes they don't and that just happens to be the case for me." Itachi replied, smoothing his shirt down into place. Sasuke didn't look convinced. He was like father in that regard, things should be simple and not have so many unnecessary variables. 

 

"Well, why did he marry her?" He demanded, arms crossing defensively over his chest.  Things like soulmates and love were black and white for him. The idea of mismatched marks was not something that had ever crossed his mind before. 

 

"She's his soulmate." Itachi explained patiently and Sasuke puffed out his cheeks, looking deeply unimpressed. "And he is hers." It was as simple as that, no matter how much Itachi wished it wasn't. He knew Shisui hadn't hurt him on purpose; he knew that Shisui would never do anything to purposely cause him harm, but that did little for Sasuke who had witnessed it all.

 

"So? He didn't even know who she was before it appeared. He's been your best friend forever. I'd choose you instead of some snobby civilian girl I don't even know." Sasuke looked affronted. As if Shisui having a different soulmate was a slight against his brother. Itachi couldn't help but smile at this and Sasuke's outrage on his behalf. He reached out to gently poke at Sasuke's forehead, but thought better of it and ruffled his hair instead.

 

"Sometimes, things don't turn out the way you expect them to," he murmured as Sasuke scowled at him, trying to fix his hair. "I guess that's just part of growing up."

 


 

That night, Shisui was at his window as he had done so many times before. Itachi had felt him approach and had considered locking the window and pretending to sleep, but instead he lay against his pillow and waited. It did not take long for Shisui to crawl into his room through the window, careful to not step on the creaky part of the floor and risk alerting Fugaku or Mikoto as they slept in the other room. Itachi didn't move, watching Shisui who caught his eye in the dark, a guilty expression appearing on his face.

 

"I didn't wake you did I?" He whispered and Itachi shook his head, sitting up, keeping the blanket wrapped around his shoulders like a shield; Shisui approached the bed. "Can I sit?" He asked and Itachi nodded, motioning for him to make himself comfortable. Shisui sat down heavily, head hanging as he clasped his hands together. Itachi watched him silently, seeing the tension in his shoulders. After a moment, Shisui lifted his head to look over at Itachi. "I'm so sorry." Shisui's dark eyes were pained and it looked like he hadn’t gotten much sleep.

 

"It's fine." Itachi quickly replied, uncomfortable with the entire conversation.

 

 "It's not fine, Itachi. I shouldn't have touched you like that, Itachi. I'm sorry." Itachi couldn't help but pity him. Any lingering hurt he felt over the altercation seemed to disperse. He pushed the blankets back so he could crawl over to Shisui, reaching to touch his shoulder.

 

"Shisui, I'm not mad. I know it was an accident." Itachi assured him. Shisui reached out for Itachi's hand, gingerly cupping it between his own. In the dark it was almost like the touch of a lover, gentle and vulnerable as Shisui looked back at him. It did no good to hold onto his anger or hurt.

 

"I could have broke your fingers." He croaked, stroking Itachi's wrist. His touch was reverent, as if his gentleness could negate the accidental pain he had inflicted before. 

 

"You didn't. It's just a little bit of bruising. It was an accident, Shisui." He attempted to comfort his cousin. "I've had worse." He didn't like how despondent Shisui looked. Shisui should never look as lost and pained as he did; it wasn't right. 

 

'But not from me." Shisui closed his eyes. "Never from me." Itachi tsked, reaching out to push Shisui's face back towards him. There was an intimacy in this touch, somehow more-so than the times they had kissed behind closed doors, giggling like children as they experimented. 

 

"Shisui, you've sparred harder than this. It was an accident." He explained patiently but this did little to comfort Shisui. He looked awful, hair standing on end and dark shadows under his eyes. He hadn’t been sleeping well and it only hurt Itachi to see this. Shisui was gently stroking his thumb over Itachi's palm, a distracted expression on his face.

 

"I shouldn’t have grabbed you like that." He looked devastated, as if the very thought of bruising Itachi hurt him. "I had no right to lash out like that. I don't understand why I did it. If I saw someone else grab you like that, I would have lost it. Sasuke was right to yell at me."  Itachi reached out with his other hand and linked his fingers with Shisui’s.

 

"I'm okay." He gently assured him, and he was. If one little argument could bring them back together, even only as friends than it couldn't be that bad. Shisui wasn't wishing to wash his hands of him.

 

Shisui stared at him, eyes sparkling. "I feel like I'm losing my mind, 'Tachi. I thought things were supposed to make sense and be easier once you had your soulmate not this much harder." He leaned his head forward, pressing his forehead against Itachi's shoulder. "I've been a shitty friend," He muttered, voice muffled. "You have my mark and I just expected everything to be okay. I didn't even consider how you must feel about all of this and how unfair it must be to watch me marry someone else." Itachi reached up to gently touch his trembling shoulder, fingers stroking down his spine as he felt the older boy slowly relax against him.

 

"I don't want to lose you." Itachi admitted. "Even if all you can offer me is friendship then I will gladly accept it. You are with your soulmate and I need to learn to respect that." It was a bitter pill to swallow but one Itachi needed to get over. Shisui was married now and the woman he married was the person who was right for him. For whatever reason, Itachi was not that person despite the mark. If he wanted to stay in Shisui's life, he needed to be able to let go. Even if letting go hurt. 

 

"You're my best friend, Itachi." Shisui whispered, breath tickling Itachi's neck. "I love you, you know that, right?" Itachi closed his eyes, fingers curling around the back of Shisui's neck as he hugged him close. He felt like he was saying goodbye, letting go of something coveted and precious. 

 

"I know." He replied softly, "And I love you too, in anyway you need me to." Shisui pulled back, hand lifting to cup Itachi's face in his palms. He smiled at him, eyes sparkling, thumb stroking down his jaw. For a moment they say in comfortable silence, simply watching each other, but in the next, Itachi was straddling Shisui's lap and Shisui's hands were pulling him closer as their lips connected. He wasn't sure who kissed who first, and he didn't care.  He heard Shisui whimper into the kiss, a hand fisting into his hair. His tongue pushed past Itachi's lips and Itachi immediately opened his mouth, wanting everything Shisui wished to give him. They had never kissed like this before, had never done anything like this. He could feel something hard poking between intimately against his clothed crotch as he ground his hips down against it, listening to Shisui moan against his lips. Shisui whispered his name, hips lifting to grind against the younger boy. Itachi was hard and he knew Shisui had to feel it against his stomach. Itachi deepened the kiss, arms encircling Shisui's shoulders as Shisui's arm lowered to Itachi's lower back as if to lay him back against the bed. Then they caught themselves. 

 

 They pulled back, both panting. Itachi was trembling, Shisui's erection pressed directly against him. Shisui stared at him, curls wild and eyes blown wide. "Shit," He whispered, head pressing against Itachi's shoulder. He made no move to push Itachi away, however. "We shouldn't have done that." 

 

"I'm sorry." Itachi murmured, terrified that he had ruined everything. His skin felt like it was alight, but it didn't hurt. It was overwhelming in a way. Was this what it felt like to kiss your soulmate? Shisui remained still for a moment, fingers curled against the back of Itachi's neck as he quietly tried to regain some semblance of control. There was a noise from down the hall and both boys froze, listening in tense silence. They heard soft footsteps padding by Itachi's room. Sasuke was awake. He walked right on by the door, and on towards what Itachi could only assume was the bathroom. Shisui released a breath. 

 

"Don't apologize," he finally spoke up in a strained voice. "You have nothing to apologize for." He tilted his head back, catching Itachi's gaze. His lips were puffy and even in the dark, Itachi could see how red they were. Shisui tilted his head back and sighed, dragging his hand down his face. Itachi fell back against the bed, legs still draped over Shisui's lap and still painfully hard. Shisui peered at him through his fingers, eyes traveling from his face down to his crotch and he licked his lips, eyes lingering. "You're so beautiful..." he mused and Itachi felt his cheeks heat up at the compliment. 

 

"I won't tell anyone," he suddenly whispered, wanting to assure Shisui that he wasn't going to run to Katsumi and tell her what they had done. He knew that Shisui was going to have enough trouble as it was. He had kissed him. They had kissed. "It can be our secret. I promise." Shisui smiled weakly at this, reaching out to splay his fingers over Itachi's clothed stomach.

 

"You really are a sweet thing, aren't you?" His hand moved up the front of Itachi's shirt to press against his skin. Itachi's eyes fluttered at the contact and Shisui's face fell. "Is it painful...when I wasn't around?" He asked. "I know soul-marks can be sensitive...mine is." His fingers were warm against Itachi's stomach. The heated pleasure he had felt before was simmering now into a warm comfort.

 

"I wouldn't call it pain...just an ache." It had been like an empty void in Itachi's chest after Shisui had rejected him, not that ache seemed to dissipate. "This helped."  Shisui nodded and closed his eyes.

 

"I'm sorry," he murmured. "I keep making things harder for you." He turned his head and stared out the window. Itachi gazed up at him, mesmerized by his profile and the way his hair curled around his face.

 

"It's okay," he assured him, hand lifting to touch Shisui but unable to reach him from his position. Shisui turned back towards him and Itachi offered him a little smile. "We can figure this out. I'm not the only case of a mismatched name. There's got to be something out there. There has to be a reason." Shisui's guilty expression did not waver however, his eyes still troubled as he offered Itachi a tiny smile. Itachi knew he was at warm with himself, that he likely wasn't sure what he was supposed to do now. 

 

"I should go." He finally managed and Itachi wondered what he would tell Katsumi. Shisui gently pulled away and Itachi moved his legs to allow him to get off the bed. When he moved to sit up, Shisui gently pushed him back down, grabbing the edge of the blanket to pull it back over Itachi's shoulder, smoothing it out over him. "We'll talk later, okay?" He offered, fingers moving to brush Itachi's hair from his face. Itachi offered him a little smile and nodded, sated in a way he had never felt before as Shisui's fingers touched him. Shisui pulled back and silently walked away from the bed. Itachi watched as Shisui crawled back out the window, ducking his head under the ledge and fixing his mused clothing once he straightened back up. Itachi drew the blanket around his shoulders, eyes fixed on the older boy. 

 

"Goodnight," he whispered in the dark and Shisui turned and offered him a little smile, leaning against the window ledge and taking Itachi in. For a moment he seemed content to simply remain there, looking at Itachi with gentle eyes. 

 

"Goodnight," he murmured back before disappearing into the night, leaving Itachi to stare after him, hoping that their kiss hadn't ruined everything. 

Chapter 8: Shame

Chapter Text

When Shisui returned home, Katsumi was awake and at her desk, bent over her paperwork. Her hair was gathered into a quick bun, loose strangers of blonde hair falling across her face as she worked. She glanced up, offering Shisui a small smile as he hesitated at the door. “I was wondering where you were.” She greeted him warmly.  Shisui hesitantly returned it. His skin still tingled, Itachi’s touch still lingered. It was as if Itachi was under his skin.

 

“Katsumi,” Shisui scratched the back of his head, at a loss of what he could say. “I...I need to tell you something.” He wasn’t sure how she would handle it. He couldn’t keep this from her though. She deserved to know what he had done. Shisui didn't keep secrets from his wife, at least not ones that he felt he could rightfully carry. He had betrayed her and deserved any anger she threw at him.

 

“Can it wait until I’m done?" Katsumi asked as she filed the paperwork away into a desk drawer. “I still have another case to go over.” She was so dedicated, so focused on her work and the fact that Shisui had kissed someone else...it hurt to swallow, he couldn’t push it off, even if he wanted to. He felt as if Itachi's hands were still on him, pulling him under. How could Katsumi not see it too?

 

“I don’t think-” Shisui tried again when Katsumi released an impatient breath.

 

“Shisui, I really am busy right now.” She cut him off, not looking up from her paperwork as she spoke to him. “Can we talk later?” She flipped a page and Shisui stared at her, chest aching and the truth wanting to burst from his mouth.

 

“Uhh...yeah sure.” Was all he could muster. Katsumi kept working as Shisui practically squirmed at the door. When she did not look back up again, Shisui finally slunk away. He could tell her when she came to bed. He wouldn't disrupt her again. Not when she was as focused as she was. He had wandered to their room, undressing and tossing his clothes in the hamper before slipping under the covers. His lips still tingled from Itachi's kiss. His skin still felt alight. However, the shame had quickly set in and Shisui felt dirty, as if he did not deserve to be in this bed he shared with Katsumi. He lay in wait for her, silent as he stared up at the ceiling. He didn't know what had come over him. Why did he do it? Why did he kiss him? It made no sense. He was happy with Katsumi. He loved her, but Itachi...Itachi always managed to throw Shisui. Katsumi didn't come to bed until the early hours of the morning and by then, Shisui was fast asleep. When he woke up in the morning, Katsumi was already gone. She left a note on the nightstand saying she would be in the office late and to not wait up for her.

 

He didn't bring it up to her that evening either, or any evening following. Itachi's window remained unlocked and untouched.

 


 

Itachi did not bring up the kiss to anyone and it seemed Shisui had done the same. On the occasions he had bumped into Katsumi while outside the safety of his home she was as cordial as ever. She offered no indication that she was aware of his and Shisui's actions and Itachi wondered if she had even been told. He had expected Shisui to confess that night, but either she was a very good actress or Shisui had backed out.

 

"I'd like to speak to you about something," he greeted his father that evening as the man had returned home from duty. Fugaku hesitated at the door, holding his jacket and looking at his son curiously. Mother and Sasuke were out shopping together, allowing Itachi and Fugaku a moment of privacy.

 

Itachi waited for his father to settle across from him before speaking. "Now that Sasuke is your heir and learning under you, I believe it is time for me to leave." He watched as Fugaku's brows furrowed, visibly confused by Itachi's words.

 

"Leave? Leave where?" He asked after a moment. Itachi had been thinking about this for a while now. Even before Katsumi had come into the picture. The clan was no longer home to him. Not as it had been before. The walls no longer offered him that security it had as a child. 

 

"I no longer attend clan meetings and am a pariah among many of them. I think perhaps I should look into apartments in the village." He wouldn't be the first Uchiha to leave the compound behind after Danzo's death. There had been others who were more than ready to branch out of the confines of the compound and rejoin the rest of the village. The limits that had been placed on them for so long were now gone and a new found freedom had allowed many Uchiha to make new bonds and start new lives. "It won't be tomorrow or anytime in the near future, I still need to look into places, but I think it would be best for everyone if I moved on." He had already given himself a deadline of a year, enough time to wrap things up and have an apartment lined up for him. Fugaku still looked concerned and it was an odd look on the usually composed clan head.

 

"Is this about Shisui?" Fugaku asked, leaning against the table as he stared at his eldest. "If there is something going on you know you can tell me, right? You are my son and I want you to feel safe in your own home." He looked so earnest and it made Itachi's chest feel warm. Father was safety, even after everything that had happened-that had almost happened, father had remained as steady as ever.

 

"No father, Shisui and I have talked. We're okay now...or as okay as we are ever going to be." Itachi couldn't allow himself to hope for more. Couldn't hope that Shisui would suddenly choose him over her. He was a good shinobi and tool, Shisui's friend, but she was his world. Itachi could not compete with her. They both knew it.

 

"I know things have been...difficult with..." Fugaku trailed off, looking uncomfortable. "Well, I don't want you giving up hope. Perhaps someone likely has your name on them." Fugaku finally managed. "Maybe...in time yours will match." He wanted Itachi to be happy, to be secure in life. Letting him go as his heir had been necessary, but he didn't wish to lose him. Itachi smiled at his father.

 

"Maybe, but in the meantime I think it is time for me to start living for myself a bit."

 

He was no longer Danzo's pawn or the clan's weapon. He could serve the village more dutifully and perhaps he wanted a way out. Katsumi had immersed herself flawlessly with the Uchiha as Shisui had done with the Yamanaka. Itachi couldn't stomach it, even if he assured Shisui that everything was fine. He hated seeing them together, hated seeing Katsumi arm in arm with his soulmate. That kiss had only cemented what Itachi already knew in his heart. That he loved Shisui and Shisui, despite his love for his wife, wanted Itachi as well. If Itachi wanted to show Shisui that he truly loved him, then perhaps walking away would be what proved it. Distance made the heart fonder and if Itachi could garner such a heated reaction from Shisui just by sitting in his lap, then what could he do by giving him something to chase? Katsumi was unintentionally pushing Shisui away and Itachi could be there, perhaps as the friend he needed. He would be whatever Shisui wished of him and show him, that he was the one meant for Shisui. He was the one willing to fight for him. Katsumi might have his name, but so did Itachi and their bond went far deeper than attraction. Itachi could win him over. He knew he could. Perhaps not in the way he would prefer, in Katsumi's place, but enough so that Shisui knew how deeply Itachi cared for him. He loved him enough for that.

 


 

The next several months passed without incident. Shisui and Itachi both remained silent about their kiss. Itachi always had been as good as his word. For that month, Shisui did not go back to Itachi's window. They would train together like old times, but if Shisui was not out on his own mission or training, he was home, wanting to confess to Katsumi, but unable to bear the thought of adding to her stress. Maybe it had been a one time slip. Shisui knew Itachi would not approach him for more, that he respected Shisui's decision. Yet, Shisui kept his mouth shut and Katsumi would fall into bed each night, lovely and tired and wanting Shisui there. She had asked him once, if her work took her out of the village, would he follow and Shisui had hesitated to answer. Konoha was his home, he couldn't see himself ever leaving. His hesitation had been answer enough and Katsumi had looked away, barely speaking to him for the rest of the night.

 

"Our home is here," he had tried to reason with her but she merely shook her head. She leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes for a long moment as Shisui stared at her. It felt like this was their first real conversation in weeks. Shisui had been throwing himself into his missions, taking as many extra as he could, knowing that Katsumi was busy herself. Lord Hokage was pleased by Shisui's initiative, but had advised him to take a break once in a while, it was hard doing that when Katsumi lived and breathed for her career. She was so beloved by the village, a pillar on kindness and tenacity. Her younger cousin, Ino worshipped her like Sasuke worshipped Itachi. Katsumi wanted to be a good influence to young girls aspiring for more than just marriage or the shinobi lifestyle. Shisui could not bear the thought of causing her any stress. Now, it seemed he had failed that already. 

 

"Is it home or someone else that is keeping you here?" She asked softly and for a brief moment he feared that she knew about Itachi. Feared that someone had seen them that night. Katsumi sighed, head tipping back against her chair as she turned her gaze up to the ceiling. "I'm sorry...I'm just very stressed with work. It's not that I want to leave the village...it's just I want us to be happy," she finally muttered. Shisui's chest ached in sympathy. He approached her and knelt down at her side, wanting to offer her any support he could. Katsumi offered him a small smile, reaching out to take his hand. He shuffled closer and interlocked their fingers together, pulling them up to place a kiss against the back of her hand and up her wrist.

 

"I want you to be happy." He murmured, pressing his cheek against her palm and gazing up at her. "Are you not happy here?" Katsumi was consumed with her work. After a group of Konoha shinobi had been killed while on a mission outside the village, several families had been left affected by the loss. Katsumi was now working to make sure these families were receiving proper care and the children were not left behind to be consumed by the system. She was working longer hours and Shisui was attempting to take more missions in order to not return to an empty house every night.

 

"It's not that." Katsumi gently assured him. She reached for him, drawing him up so she could pull him into a kiss. "I just feel...self conscious. Like you're bored with me." She laughed a little at this, as if the feeling was so ludicrous to her. Shisui wanted to assure her she had nothing to worry about, that he loved her more than anything. He stood, pulling Katsumi to her feet so he sit down in her chair and have her in his lap. She laughed at this, openly pleased and swung her leg around so she could straddle his lap. He had Itachi in this position that night and it had felt so forbidden, so heated but with Katsumi it felt natural.

 

"You are my wife," he whispered, gazing up at her. "I love you. It's you I want to fall asleep next to each night, it's you I want to share my life with." This seemed to reassure her a bit. She pressed a kiss against his temple, breathing in.

 

"You and your cousin seem to be close again," she murmured, stroking her fingers through his curls. "You two made up?" Was this a test? Was she hinting at knowing something?

 

Tell her. Confess. She has a right to know.

 

"Yeah," Shisui managed. "We did." He tried not to think of the way Itachi felt in his arms, how he looked splayed out on his bed, smiling up at Shisui and looking at him as if he was his world. 

 

Coward.

 

"Good, I am glad he is not still holding a grudge." Katsumi's smile was lovely, but it slipped away into open concern as she reached out to cup Shisui's face in her palm. "My poor boy must feel so neglected," Katsumi cooed with a sad smile. "I feel like we barely see each other anymore. I wish I was better at multitasking." He knew exactly what she was hinting at and he released a breathless little laugh.

 

"Marriage is more than sex," Shisui attempted to assure her. "I'm not mad that you are dedicated to your work...any...frustrations I am having I can deal with." It should be that simple. He didn't understand why he had kissed Itachi like that. It was a mistake on both their part. It would not be repeated. Katsumi raised an eyebrow and moved her hips just so that she could feel him hardening against her. She smiled at this, grasping the back of his curls to pull his head back, forcing him to look her in the eye.

 

"I have time now, if you want to work on those frustrations," she offered lightly. Shisui smiled back and all his worries seemed miniscule. He nodded at her and allowed her to pull him up, following her like the loyal puppy he was into the privacy of their bedroom.

  

Chapter 9: Discovery

Chapter Text

It was early morning and the sun had barely crested Hokage Mountain, but Shisui was wide awake. He could see the orange sky through the window as he knelt on the floor. He had spent most of the night in the kitchen, pulling up old flooring. Shisui's kitchen was old and outdated even when he was a kid. The floors definitely needed to be redone, but it was still sobering to be ripping apart the floors he had raced across as a kid. He had replacement tiles in a box at his side. They were a nice cool gray that he and Katsumi had favored. More modern and easier to maintain.  He would likely get to putting those in after a couple days. He pulled up the wooden slap, tearing it loose and setting it into a pile with the rest of the pulled flooring. There was a stale smell permeating the air and Shisui fought not to sneeze. He absently rubbed his arm against his nose, before ripping up the next slab of wood.

 

 A plume of dust gathered in the air and Shisui leaned away from it, holding his breath as he waited for it to settle. It cast the kitchen in a hazy glow and he had no doubt that it was settling in his hair. He should have asked for someone to help with this, but now it felt like it was too late. There was now dust on the counters and table. He moved to pull the next slab of wood when he noticed the hole in the ground. Unlike the rest of the floor which was solid ground, expect for this one spot. He peered down into the hole. There was a box in the ground, covered in a thick layer of dust. Shisui leaned forward, bracing against the wood as he reached for the box. He pulled it from the hole and set it down next to him. Carefully, Shisui pulled the lid off the box and set it aside, gazing at the contents of the box, before reaching for it and pulling it up. 

 

It was a necklace.  He instantly recognized the Uchiha crest, but it was copper with a thin gold outline. It hung from a delicate copper woven chain. Shisui held it up, inspecting it in open interest. He knew this necklace. It wasn't something he remembered his mother wearing, or his father. Yet, it was familiar. Shisui took the necklace and walked over to one of the shelves in the living room, pulling out his photo album and plopping down on the ground to leaf through it. He flipped through the pages, lingering on photos of his parents, happy and alive. He flipped to the next page. Kagami's grin soon greeted him and Shisui's eyes trailed down. The necklace that Shisui now held, hung from Kagami's neck. Shisui blinked in surprise, studying the photo again.

 

He turned his attention back to the necklace in question, carefully looking it over. The copper was thinly hammered and designed. There was no name or date etched on it, nothing that could give Shisui a clue on if the necklace had any meaning. Who had given it to Kagami? Why was it buried here? He looked back at the box, for any sort of clue. It was a wooden box with nothing written on it or in the lid. Shisui turned it over in interest before standing to set it on the counter, the necklace dangling from his fingers.

 

"Shisui?" Katsumi called from the bedroom. "Are you busy?"

 

"No, I'm taking a break on the floors." Shisui called back, still looking at the necklace. He could probably talk to some of the clan elders and see what they thought of it. Maybe Kagami had the necklace commissioned for himself.

 

"Could you come here for a moment?" Shisui turned towards her voice and quickly moved towards the bedroom, pocketing the necklace. Katsumi was standing in front of the mirror and watched as Shisui moved to sit on the bed. “I’ll be gone for a couple weeks.” Katsumi informed him as she buttoned up her blouse. "I'd appreciate if you had the floors finished like we talked about while I'm gone. I want to start on the counters next month. I really liked the ones you pointed out. I can also pick up somethings in Sunagakure if you would like." The house had been Shisui's father's. It was definitely a bit outdated, especially when compared to Katsumi's apartment before she had moved into the compound. They had moved from his old bedroom into his father's and it still felt weird to call it his own.

 

“Are you sure you don’t want me to come with you?” Shisui offered for the second time, watching from the bed as she got ready.  "I can help with whatever you need me to." The trip had seemed a bit sudden, but Shisui didn't begrudge her for wanting to go. Sunagakure had extended an invitation to Katsumi and her team to discuss  a children's hospital that the village wished to help sponsor. Katsumi was thrilled by the prospect and had not hesitated to accept the invitation. A couple weeks away might even do them some good.

 

She had been acting distant. She was often distracted by work and when she wasn't busy with that she was out with her work friends to 'unwind'. Shisui didn't want to impose, knowing that she valued her time with her friends without Shisui hovering around. Still, he began to wonder if she was bored with him. The more Katsumi seemed to push Shisui away, the more he followed her. Shisui knew that this would eventually happen, the honeymoon phase was over before it had ever begun, it seemed. Katsumi encouraged Shisui to spend time with Itachi, seemingly pleased that whatever tension between the two of them appeared resolved. He knew she was just offering him a distraction for when she was too busy for him, but he tried to enjoy it while he could. This soon led to more interactions with Itachi. They often had missions together and Itachi seemed to enjoy finally having time with Shisui. It was almost like before his mark appeared and they didn't have to worry about soulmates.

 

“No, I have some coworkers already going,” Katsumi replied without looking at him. “Why don’t you take a break while I'm gone, you seem to be quite busy with those missions of yours. You're wearing yourself thin." She brushed her hair from her face, tucking a strand behind her ear and turning her head as she looked over herself in the mirror. She caught sight of Shisui's expression in the reflection and she smiled at him. He stood and approached, helping fix up her collar, placing a tender kiss against her clothed shoulder. “I’m sure that little cousin of yours would be more than happy to have you all to himself.” Katsumi teased with a little laugh, turning to press a kiss against Shisui’s cheek. “You mentioned needing to go train, I’m sure he’ll be willing.” She pat his cheek playfully. 

 

"Yeah, I'm sure he'll be more than willing." Shisui agreed. Katsumi hummed in response, eyes on their reflection as she leaned back against him. Katsumi would take more hours in her office and spend her evenings with her friends and Shisui would crawl through Itachi's window where Itachi waited in his bed, smiling and sweet. They didn’t kiss again, barely touched but Shisui found that spending time just talking to Itachi helped alleviate any anxiety or tension that he was feeling. Itachi was the encouraging voice that helped put Shisui at ease. Itachi never pushed for more, taking whatever Shisui offered him. Sasuke was still leery around him, obviously not having forgiven him for the altercation with his Nii-san. Itachi had forgiven him so easily, but Sasuke watched Shisui in open suspicion. Katsumi seemed pleased to hear it. 

 

"Good, I'm sure you won't even notice that I'm gone. When I get back, maybe I can request some time off." She offered, pleased by the grin Shisui offered her at this. He rested his chin on her shoulder, holding her close.  Katsumi was watching him, waiting for him to respond and Shisui offered her an apologetic smile.

 

"I'd like that." He murmured, fingers absently rubbing against her waist. "Have a few days to ourselves."  Time off for both of them sounded good. He knew that she was stressed with work, and hoped that she wasn't too overwhelmed during her trip. 

 

"What's that?" Katsumi suddenly spoke up, looking down with furrowed brows. 

 

"Hmm?" Shisui followed Katsumi's gave down to where the necklace was dangling from his pocket. "Oh, I found this under the floorboards just now. It looks like it was Kagami Uchiha's." He took out the necklace and handed it to his wife who looked pleased at the sight of it. 

 

"It's lovely," Katsumi lifted the necklace and looked it over curiously. "There's no inscription or anything on it. "It's a bit flashy for an everyday piece. It looks handcrafted." She turned it over and like Shisui, inspected it for any type of marking. "Perhaps it's one of a kind."

 

"I planned to speak to the clan elders later today to see what they thought of it." Shisui explained, keeping his chin on her shoulder as she looked the necklace over. "Kagami was wearing it in the photo. Maybe it was crafted for him."

 

 Katsumi handed the necklace back. "I wonder what other trinkets could be hidden around here. Seems like he was trying to keep it safe." She guessed as he pocketed it again.

 

"Or secret." Shisui shrugged. "It's not the first time things have been dug up in the compound." There were countless little treasures under their feet. It seemed very in character for the Uchiha to stash their belongings away, not trusting them to fall into the wrong hands. Katsumi chuckled, pulling away from Shisui.

 

"Well good luck on your little adventure then, who knows, maybe there's a story to it." She winked and walked from the room, Shisui staring after her.

 


  

Itachi's muscles were sore. Accompanying Kakashi-taicho and Tenzo-san on missions was always interesting but often left Itachi exhausted. Both men were always fun to travel with nonetheless. He walked into his bedroom and set his backpack down, reaching to rub his sore arm. He could hear mother moving down the hall as he collapsed onto his bed with a pleased sigh. He lay there for a long moment, simply enjoying the peace. It was getting dark out and Itachi was content to simply fall asleep where he had landed. He was going to look at more apartments later in the week. He had already discussed it with his mother who was supportive with his decision, it was now only Sasuke who would need to be told. He certainly wasn't looking forward to that discussion. 

 

They were less than an hour away from the village. The sun was still in the sky and Itachi was happy to be going home. He walked with Kakashi and Tenzo through the thick foliage. From the slight slump in Tenzo's shoulders it seemed he was as sore as Itachi was. Missions were always easier when they didn't have run ins with enemy shinobi. They had been dealt with easily enough but one of them, a large Kumo shinobi had packed a mean punch. A long hot shower and sleep would do wonders for them at this point.  Itachi was relieved that it had been Tenzo who had started the discussion about soulmates, having mentioned Iruka Umino, his own soulmate. Itachi listened as Kakashi and Tenzo talked about apartment hunting and Tenzo bemoan 'domestic' life. Kakashi had laughed at this, teasing him about not having to worry about any of that, himself. He didn't have the mark. He usually never spoke about it one way or another. Itachi had wondered if it was something that upset him to think about, but the way he spoke seemed more relieved than anything.  "Does it bother you?" Itachi asked as they settled down for a break. The forest was peaceful, birds chirping overhead and wind rustling through the trees. Tenzo was standing a few paces away, stretching with his head tilted up towards the sky. 

 

"Bother me?" Kakashi drawled. His porcelain mask was gone and he was falling back into a more relaxed stance, as if happy to shed the ANBU persona. 

 

"That you don't have a mark." Itachi explained, setting his tanto and flexing his sore fingers. "It's not very common."  Kakashi snorted and threw himself into the grass with little care.

 

"Well, I actually sort of saw it as a blessing in a way," Kakashi confessed, leaning his back against the tree. "I feel like soulmarks sort of rob you of your agency. We already have so much in life decided for us and it always rubbed me the wrong way that we really didn't even get a choice in who we fell in love with, or if we fell in love at all. I prefer having that freedom at least." He cast a side glance at Itachi, even masked as he was, Itachi could see that he was appraising him. "Why the sudden interest? I never took you for a romantic."

 

"I'm not," Itachi defended. "It's just much more complicated than I had anticipated it would be." He almost wanted to confide in his former captain, wanted to talk to someone outside the family. Still, it almost felt inappropriate to discuss it. Tenzo and Iruka were happily together, but Itachi had no business discussing his mark when they were married to another.

 

"Most people like to paint a pretty picture and move on." Kakashi confirmed. "Life's more complicated than that. You'll understand when you're older and when and if your mark shows up. All it is is a mark. It shouldn't define you." There was wisdom in that and Itachi pondered it, thinking perhaps he needed to take a hint from Kakashi. He wasn't torn up or even concerned about not having a mark. Had he ever been upset and simply learned to accept it? Or perhaps he was pleased to never have to deal with one at all. Things would have been much easier for Itachi if he had never had a mark at all.

 

Itachi was pulled from his reverie by tapping on his window. He sat up, eyes meeting Shisui's who grinned at the sight of him. It was an almost common occurrence but it still had Itachi feeling oddly shy. He waved Shisui in, offering him a little smile. Itachi flopped back down against his mattress as he listened to Shisui crawl inside. "Bad mission?" Shisui asked as he approached the bed.

 

"No, it was fine. I'm just sore." Itachi replied, staring up at the ceiling. He felt the bed dip as Shisui sat next to him. "How is the kitchen coming?" Shisui had told him about all the planned renovations. Katsumi had been eying those worn out floors for awhile now. Shisui flopped down next to him and Itachi scooted to offer him more room.

 

"Good. The flooring is all pulled and I have tiles all ready to go." Personally, Itachi thought the flooring was fine, even if a bit outdated. If anything he needed to work on the garden which had overgrown ages ago. Shisui didn't have much of a green thumb, however and Katsumi was barely home long enough to help with the renovations. 

 

"I can help you tomorrow if you would like?" He offered and Shisui laughed lightly, sitting up to look down at him. He smiled at him, his curls framing his face. It was starting to get a bit shaggy in the back. It looked good, but everything about Shisui looked good.

 

"I appreciate that, you look pretty worn out as it is, though." He reached and took Itachi's arm, lightly digging his thumbs against his flesh and rubbing them in. Itachi closed his eyes, melting under Shisui's fingers. "You wanna spend the night at my place?" Shisui offered and Itachi stilled. He continued massaging Itachi's arm as he spoke. "Katsumi is out of the village for work for the next couple of weeks. We'd have the house to ourselves if you wanted to get away for a bit." The thought of spending time with Shisui alone was both exciting and nerve wracking. Itachi wasn't sure he could trust himself.

 

"Mmmm...that sounds nice," he finally managed to speak up. Shisui's hands moved down his arm. "I feel like you're just spoiling me at this point." Not that he was complaining. He enjoyed having Shisui's hands and attention on him like this. "Will she be okay with me in your home?" He asked, stifling a yawn. He didn't particularly care about how Katsumi felt, but if felt polite to ask anyway.

 

"I think she wouldn't be bothered by it." Shisui drawled in response, massaging Itachi's arm as he spoke. They used to do this for each other all the time. It was another thing that had ended after Shisui had received his mark. Itachi watched as Shisui lifted his other arm, massaging it with nimble fingers. "I can get your back too if you want?" Shisui's smile was contagious and Itachi returned it with one of his own. Shisui moved up his arm, focusing on Itachi's palm. He pressed his lips against Itachi's wrist, eyes falling shut. Itachi's hand moved, reaching to brush through those lovely curls. Shisui opened his eyes and pressed his cheek against Itachi's palm. In the dimming light coming from the window, Shisui appeared almost ethereal. He was lovely. How could Katsumi do anything but love him? Itachi understood her completely. Shisui's smile was tender and perfect. 

 

"Come home with me?" He offered again, voice softer. Go home with Shisui. Itachi could do that. Warmth blossomed in his chest. How could he possibly say no to him?

 

"Gladly."

 

Chapter 10: Strawberries

Summary:

Things get a bit...heated.

Chapter Text

 

Katsumi had barely been gone an hour when Shisui decided to investigate his necklace. There was only one person who he immediately thought of that might have some insight. His elderly auntie, who lived only a couple houses down. Her husband had died decades ago and after Shisui's father had passed she had taken it upon herself to offer Shisui any support he might need. They had developed a close rapport and Shisui often went over to help her around the house. Sometimes he used to take Itachi along and Auntie always gushed on what a lovely boy he was. She was one of the few who had been starkly against the Uchiha's planned coup. She had always been a voice of reason. He immediately went over to her house and as usual, she was sitting on her porch in her little chair, watching the road. She turned her head and smiled at Shisui's approach. "Well, hello Shisui," She greeted, voice frail. "I saw your wife pass by not long ago." She watched as Shisui stepped onto the porch.

 

"Hello Auntie," he greeted. "Katsumi took some work outside the village, so she'll be gone for a couple weeks." Auntie nodded at this explanation, drumming her fingers on the arm of her chair.

 

"Ah, yes she is an ambitious one isn't she?" Auntie hummed, her weathered face fond as she leaned back in her chair. "What brings you over today?" She asked curiously and Shisui took the necklace from his pocket.

 

"I found this necklace while renovating. It was under the floorboards of the house. Kagami Uchiha was wearing it in an old photo. I was just curious about its origins." Shisui approached her and she shot a heavy scowl at him, lifting a wrinkled hand to point at him.

 

"Hmpf, and you think because I'm an old woman I'd know about it, is that right?" Well, when she put it like that, it sounded terrible. She was an old woman who knew more history than anyone else Shisui knew in the clan. She was the type who knew what meal so and so ate and who had a feud with who from generations ago. 

 

"Well no," Shisui flounded. "I just-" Auntie waved him off with a barking laugh that soon gave way to a cough.

 

"I'm just joking with you, boy. Let me take a look at this mystery necklace?" She reached out expectantly and Shisui handed it over. She lifted the necklace, squinting at it as she turned it over in her hands. After a long moment, her eyes seemed to light up and she nodded. "Ah yes, I do remember this...or I remember hearing about it." Shisui sat down on the porch, looking up at her in open interest and amazement. Auntie looked down at him. "Kagami Uchiha's mother once had a dear friend who designed this necklace for her." She explained, reaching down to hand the necklace back to Shisui.

 

"So it was his mother's," Shisui murmured as he looked at the necklace in his palm. "Not his. I had assumed that he had it made for himself." Auntie chuckled at this, shaking her head.

 

"It would be passed to him, but it was originally his mother's. She was a beautiful woman, a very proud shinobi and Uchiha. She had a close friendship with a young kunoichi in the village. T hey were best friends and childhood sweethearts. Many assumed they would end up as soulmates but fate is fickle. Both ended up with different soulmates but for a time they tried to defy the marks and remain together. They did not care that they didn't share names, as far as they were concerned, they were true soulmates. For sometime, it worked out. They were both proud women, who thought that their love alone would be enough.  But eventually those marks began to weigh on them. They began to fight at the smallest provocation." Auntie shook her head.  "They decided finally to separate and Kagami's mother's lover designed the necklace as a sort of token of friendship. That their shared story may have ended, but their love went on in its own way." Auntie smiled faintly. "Eventually she truly grew to love Kagami's father and their son they shared. She passed the necklace to him who likely hid it to eventually pass to his own lover or child...he likely died before he got the chance to do so."

 

"So this wasn’t from her soulmate." Shisui turned the necklace over and Auntie hummed in agreement. 

 

"No, far more appropriate from her almost lover." She smiled and cupped Shisui’s cheek before giving it a light pinch. "There's more than one type of love, Shisui-kun.  Our soul marks may guide us in one direction, but it does not mean we have no choice. That necklace is yours by rights. Keep it or gift it to whoever you find worthy of it."

 


 

 

The walk to Shisui’s house was quiet. They walked side by side, not touching as they made their way down the street. It had been sometime since he had stayed the night here. They didn't pass anyone on the street or walking up to Shisui’s door. Shisui ushered him in and turned on the light. "You really did tear up the floors." Itachi hummed, looking around the kitchen in interest. Shisui laughed, scratching the back of his head with an uncertain grin.

 

"I'm not much for construction but I guess I'm on the right track." He shrugged and nodded to the stack of new tiles. "Hopefully I will get started on that. I want it done before Katsumi gets back." Itachi inclined his head, bitterly wondering if Katsumi had left a list of demands while she was away. He knew it was unfair of him, that married couples often did things like this, but his anger continued to simmer. “Go on and take a shower while I get dinner ready.” Shisui advised as he walked across the kitchen, careful to avoid a hole in the flooring. 

 

“I’m not all that hungry.” Itachi murmured. Shisui turned and fixed him with a pointed look, lips curling in amusement. 

 

“At least let me make you something small, I know you skip meals," he bargained and Itachi nodded.

 

The shower was soothing against Itachi's back and he closed his eyes, lowering his head to allow the water to strike against the back of his neck. This wasn't the first time had had taken a shower at Shisui's house, but something about this time felt different. There was an anticipation he hadn't felt before. It was as if his body knew something had changed in their dynamic, or was about to. His mark was throbbing almost pleasantly, the pain from before that he had become accustomed to fading away. He turned the water off and stepped from the tub, grabbing the towel folded by the sink. The mirror was slightly misted but Itachi could still see his reflection staring back at him, eyes wide and dark and his hair plastered against his shoulders. It was dark against his pale skin, almost jarringly so. He looked like a drowned rat, hardly some picture perfect lover like Katsumi. Yet, Shisui had asked for him to spend the night. Was Itachi only imagining the way Shisui had looked at him? Was he only fooling himself? Itachi averted his eyes, disgusted by his appearance. 

 

Itachi dried his hair, wrapping the towel around his chest before slipping out of the bathroom. The hallway was dark and the only light was in Shisui's open childhood bedroom. Itachi followed it, heart hammering in his ears. Shisui was sitting on the bed, his eyes dark and sparkling as he looked at Itachi. "Hello you." He greeted voice a low rumble. Itachi felt his cheeks heat up and he fought not to squirm, hand moving up to the front of his chest, grasping at the towel wrapped around him.

 

"Hello." Itachi greeted back, feeling oddly shy as his eyes moved down to look at his bare toes. He could feel Shisui's eyes on him, could feel them looking him and up and down.

 

"Come here," He beckoned, crooking a finger and Itachi moved forward immediately. Shisui reached out, taking Itachi's hand to pull him close. "I'm glad you agreed to come here," he murmured, looking up at Itachi with a little smile. "This house hasn't been the same without you." House, not home. It felt like had purposely said it like that, as if this wasn't his home. He was stroking his thumb over Itachi's wrist, the gesture intimate in the dim lighting of his room. His bedroom had been left largely untouched and seeing it like that was comforting in an odd way. There were candles on the dresser, the only source of light.

 

"I am pleased that you asked me to come," Itachi replied softly. "I missed being here." Shisui's eyes softened at this and he looked away, his hands moving to touch each side of Itachi's waist.

 

"Yeah, I'm sorry I was so distant. It wasn't fair to you." His thumb was rubbing absent circles over Itachi's covered hip. He looked exhausted, as if he had not gotten a good night's rest in a very long time.

 

"I hardly helped things." Itachi assured him. "I should have been more understanding." Shisui's face fell for a moment, pure vulnerability seeping through as he looked up at Itachi. He pulled him forward, legs spreading so Itachi was standing between them as the older boy hugged him, his cheek pressed against Itachi's covered stomach. Itachi wrapped his arms around Shisui's shoulders, stroking his fingers through his curls as he hugged him back. They remained that way for a long while, Itachi gently rocking Shisui back and forth as Shisui clung to him, his fingers curling desperately against Itachi's back. Did Katsumi ever hold Shisui like this? Did she ever offer him support like this? Itachi looked down at Shisui, hand fingers through his hair and down his cheek. Shisui looked up, smiling at the sight of him.

 

He breathed out, pressing his forehead against Itachi's covered stomach for a moment before pressing a gentle kiss there, looking up to offer Itachi a dazzling smile. "I have some fruit on the dresser if you're hungry." Itachi glanced over his shoulder to see a small bowl of sliced strawberries. "I know your appetite isn't that big."

 

"Oh, thank you," Itachi turned back to smile gratefully at Shisui. "That was sweet." Shisui hummed in response.

 

"You can remove the towel if you want." He whispered and Itachi blinked owlishly, not sure what to say. “I promised you a massage, didn't I?” Shisui's eyes were glittering in mirth. He knew exactly what he was doing. Itachi nodded, palms feeling oddly sweaty as Shisui released him, scooting back on the bed to watch Itachi.

 

"Shisui," Itachi murmured, not removing the towel. "It's just a massage?" He needed to be sure, needed to know what Shisui expected of him.

 

"It's whatever you want it to be." Shisui responded, staring at Itachi, "I told you I would give you one and you're still tense. I know you're sore." He was leaving everything up to Itachi. Normally Itachi would appreciate the gesture but it only left him more confused. Was it just a massage Shisui wanted to offer? Was this just him being a good friend? Shisui politely turned away, and Itachi took this moment to lower the towel from being wrapped around his chest to being wrapped firmly around his waist.

 

"You can look now." Itachi informed him and listened to Shisui hiss as he turned back.

 

"You've got a few bruises," He muttered sympathetically, reaching to gently touch Itachi's side. "Do they hurt badly?" His eyes lifted to meet Itachi's who shook his head. 

 

"No," he replied. "Not too badly."

 

Shisui continued to brush his fingers over one on Itachi's side. Itachi was quiet as Shisui’s fingers trailed over his bare skin, a chill running up his spine. Shisui grinned, eyes lifting to meet his. “You’ve got goosebumps, Itachi.”

 

“It's just a little cold,” Itachi whispered. Shisui stood and Itachi back up, head tilted slightly to look into Shisui's eyes. Shisui's eyes were warm and kind, drawing Itachi in with little effort. 

 

“Well come lay down, I’ll be gentle. I promise.” Shisui hummed, motioning to the bed, as he moved around Itachi and walked towards the dresser. Itachi moved towards the bed and carefully lay down on his stomach, head turned to the side to watch Shisui as he walked around the room, opening a drawer and rummaging through it. Itachi rested his head against his arms as he waited for Shisui to return. Shisui took something from the drawer and turned to where Itachi lay, lifting a small bottle.

 

 “Just some oil,” Shisui explained as he walked back towards the bed. "It will help." Itachi nodded at this, smiling at the older boy. Shisui straddled the back of his legs, reaching out to brush Itachi's hair aside, gently stroking his fingers over his shoulder. Itachi jolted slightly as he felt something cold drip onto the back of his shoulders. "Sorry," Shisui murmured, setting the bottle aside and reaching out to rub his hand over Itachi's back, spreading the oil. Itachi's eyes fell shut as Shisui's fingers expertly worked into his flesh, a pleased hum escaping him. Shisui chuckled in response, thumbs digging into Itachi's shoulder blades; He could smell a light fragrance from the oil: vanilla.

 

"You're tense," Shisui observed, his palm moving to rub Itachi's shoulder.

 

"Sorry."

 

"Don't apologize." The older boy let out a fond laugh, a little exasperated as he continued to rub Itachi's shoulders. "Just relax and let me make you feel good, okay?" Itachi nodded, not trusting himself to speak. He felt Shisui pour some more oil onto the middle of his back,  feeling the liquid drip down his side.  Shisui’s hands dipped to Itachi’s lower back, fingers bracing his hips as he worked on his muscles. They used to give each other shoulder massages after training, but never like this; Itachi quite liked this. Shisui's hands moved down his back, palms lightly working the muscles there. The tips of his fingers grazed over the edge of the towel before moving back up Itachi's spine. The scent of vanilla wafted around the room and Itachi felt himself relax, completely at ease as Shisui's hands glided down his back. He was gentle around the bruise, hands moving away. "Turn over," Shisui whispered in his ear and Itachi did so, feeling heavy and sated as he moved to lay on his back. He smiled up at Shisui and returned it. "You feeling okay?"

 

"Feels good," Itachi replied with a dazed smile. "You feel good." This seemed to spur Shisui on. Oil dribbled onto his chest and Shisui's hands followed it as it trailed down the sides, gliding over his ribs with care. Shisui's hands worked on his chest, rubbing the oil into his skin and working the sore muscles with practiced ease. His fingers moved over Itachi's nipples, leaving a sheen of oil in their wake.  His eyes flicked up  to watch Itachi's reacting and Itachi's eyes fluttered, licking his lips and offering him another smile. Shisui rubbed his chest, hands moving down his sides and back up. Both his thumbs moved over Itachi's nipples, applying only the faintest amount of pressure and heat immediately pooled low in Itachi's stomach; A weak moan escaped him and he blinked. "Sorry, " He managed to speak up. "Just sensitive," Shisui hummed at this, eyes fixed on his nipples, rubbing oil over them to make them shine. He moved down Itachi's chest.

 

A small startled laugh escaped Itachi as Shisui dripped the oil over his navel and Shisui shot him a small grin, working his hands over Itachi's waist. He never went below the towel but he got close, fingers working that sensitive spot just below his navel and down the sides of his hips. Itachi licked his lips, breathing carefully as Shisui touched him, he opened his eyes to watch him as he massaged his hips, thumbs moving in circular motions over his abdomen. The noise of his hands moving over his wet skin felt oddly lewd and Itachi loved it.

 

"Turn back over," Shisui instructed, hands lifting Itachi's waist to help him turn back onto his stomach. Itachi felt heavy and he appreciated the help as he lap down, cheek pressed against the pillow. Shisui returned his attention to his lower back. More oil was poured just above his waist and Shisui traced his fingers over the edge of the towel, a silent request. Itachi flushed, biting his lip as Shisui's hand moved over him. His fingers moved just under the towel, touching his tailbone. Itachi lifted his hips, allowing Shisui to slip the towel down. He only pulled it down far enough to show the globes of his ass. For a moment he didn't touch them, simply continuing his path lower on Itachi's back and back up below his hips.

 

His hands moved down either side of Itachi's waist, down under him to lightly trail above his crotch and returning to his back before Itachi could react. Shisui took Itachi’s cheeks in his hands, massaging them and releasing them to watch them jiggle. Itachi could feel him spreading the oil over each globe, leaving his skin shining. "Do you want me to keep going?" Shisui asked after a moment, voice a little hoarse. Itachi nodded wordlessly and Shisui tutted, lightly tapping one cheek. "I need you to speak up, 'Tachi," he could feel Shisui's eyes on the back of his head, waiting. 

 

"Yes, you can keep going." Itachi managed to finally reply and Shisui chuckled.

 

"Good boy." Itachi didn't know what it was, but something about those words had him feeling tingly, like his skin was on fire, but in a wonderful way. He fought down a verbal reaction and closed his eyes, a shaky breath escaping him. Shisui returned his attention to Itachi's ass, taking one cheek in each hand and gently squeezing, rubbing his hand over the curve of his ass. "Your skin is soft." Shisui mused absently. Itachi hummed, fighting the immediate urge to spread his legs and allow Shisui more room. He listened as Shisui moved a bit behind him, grabbing the bottle of oil once more and pouring a generous amount over his cheeks.The oil dripped down between his crack, Shisui's fingers following its' path, spreading him open as his thumb moved. A broken gasp escaped Itachi, fingers digging into the pillow as Shisui's thumb traced over his hole. He buried his face in the pillow, letting out a muffled whine; Shisui's fingers moved lower, over his perineum. The oil dripped down and Shisui's thumb trailed over it. Itachi wanted those fingers inside him. He fought not to move him hips back, to take them in. He was practically drooling, mouth open as he panted desperately. A weak moan escaped him. There was a wet noise as Shisui squeezed his ass. Shisui moved back up, spreading Itachi's cheeks once more and simply looking at him. Itachi flushed, tucking his face away as he felt Shisui's eyes there. Shisui made a pleased noise before releasing them and pulling away. Itachi whined at the loss, lifting his head and watching as Shisui walked towards the dresser. "Shisui?" The older boy returned to him with the bowl of strawberries in his hand.

 

"Open up," Shisui placed the strawberry against his lips and Itachi opened his mouth, allowing Shisui to slip it inside. He chewed, pleased at the sweet taste. "Good boy." Shisui murmured as he sat on the edge of the bed and reached into the bowl for another slice. He popped one into his mouth and took another, watching as Itachi's mouth opened for him, their eyes locked. He continued to hand feed Itachi until he seemed satisfied that Itachi had eaten enough, then he set the bowl aside and reached for Itachi, pulling him into his lap, practically cradling him. Itachi clung to his shoulders, blunt nails digging into the material of his shirt. There was an added thrill of being vulnerable like this while Shisui himself was so put together.

 

"That was...a very thorough massage." Itachi found his voice after a moment, head tucked against Shisui's shoulder. He was hard and he knew Shisui had to feel it through the towel, but Shisui did not pull it away, content to run his fingers up and down Itachi's spine.

 

"Did you enjoy it?" He asked and Itachi nodded.

 

"It was wonderful," Shisui's hand reached down, cupping his covered ass and maneuvering Itachi so he could properly straddle his lap. "You want me." There was no reason to tip toe around it any longer. Shisui had practically fingered him. That wasn't the touch of a good friend. That was a touch of a man who wanted to take someone apart completely. 

 

"Yes," Shisui didn't hesitate to respond, his voice barely above a whisper. Itachi perched on his lap, hands cupping the back of his neck as he pressed a kiss against the corner of his mouth.

 

"Even though you are married...to your soulmate." He brushed Shisui's curls back from his face as the older boy watched with wide blown eyes. "Even though you seem quite pleased with her...company."

 

"Yes," He replied again and Itachi kissed the other corner of his mouth. Shisui reached down, taking the corner of the towel and tugging. Itachi swatted his hand away, cupping Shisui's face in his hand. He kissed him full on the mouth, for the first time taking control of the kiss. Shisui's mouth opened and he released a small whine as Itachi's tongue's swirled around his, deepening the kiss as he grasped his face.

 

"No." Itachi murmured against his lips. "Not yet." If he immediately gave in, Shisui might grow bored. "I don't want you to have me once and then be done with me. I won't be used and tossed aside.” Shisui blinked slowly, seemingly dazed.

 

"I...I would never toss you aside!" He defended himself and Itachi hummed, tilting his head as he pulled back to study him. He looked so soft as he gazed up at him, holding onto his hips as if afraid he would disappear. 

 

"Then prove it," Itachi replied, pulling off Shisui's lap as the older boy reached for him, "You know that I love you and that you are my one and only soulmate, but you are married to another. You have another woman's name on you. I won't make demands of you and ask you to choose between me and her, but I will ask you to understand that I won't be used. I can't be, not by you. I need to feel safe in the knowledge that I won't be tossed aside the moment you have me." Shisui nodded in understanding. "I need to hear you, Shisui."

 

"I won't toss you aside. I won't let you feel like I'm using you. I don't know how I will prove it, but I will find a way." Shisui reached out for him and after a moment, Itachi accepted the offered hand, moving to stand between Shisui's spread legs.

 

"We can take it slow?" Itachi murmured, linking his fingers with Shisui’s. "You won't expect anything tonight?" He wanted to. He wanted to, more than anything, but he didn't dare, not yet. 

 

"As slow as you need." Shisui assured him, stroking a hand down his back. "This only goes as fast or as slow as you want it to." Itachi smiled at this and crawled into the bed as Shisui lay back, hovering over him to press kisses against his face and shoulder. His mark was thrumming in pleasure, elated to have Shisui's affection. Shisui laughed, leaning up to capture his mouth into a kiss and wrapping his arms around him, pulling him down flush against him.  They kissed again, slower and sweet. Itachi could taste strawberries on Shisui's lips; Itachi turned onto his side, tucking his head against Shisui’s shoulder.

 

"This is good enough for me." He murmured, feeling Shisui relax against him. Shisui scooted closer, pressing a tender kiss against Itachi's temple, their legs tangling together. The oil had left Itachi's skin slick and he enjoyed the feeling of rubbing his leg against Shisui’s. The candle flickered and after a moment snuffed out, encasing the bedroom in darkness. 

Chapter 11: Gifts

Chapter Text

The next morning Itachi helped Shisui put in the new flooring. Side by side with Shisui, it felt right. "I told mother and father that I would be helping you around the house. They seem pleased that we're getting along again," Itachi had explained when Shisui asked what he told his parents. Shisui sat back on his heels and looked around the kitchen. They were nearly done with the floors. It had gone much quicker with Itachi helping. A thin layer of dust coated the counters and Shisui knew he'd have to clean them once he had the chance.

 

The clock over the stove was blinking and it showed that it was past noon.  "Hey, I can go grab us some lunch if you would like," Shisui offered as he stood, reaching down to grab Itachi's hand and pull him up. "Anything you're craving? My treat." He was thrilled that Itachi was here, happy that he hadn't decided to wipe his hands of him. Last night had been...last night had been great, touching Itachi, looking at him and having Itachi be comfortable enough to allow Shisui to be as intimate as he had been had been more than enough. If Shisui had to wait a lifetime for Itachi, he gladly would. 

 

Itachi had dirt on his cheek and his hair was a mess, but he smiled at Shisui and nodded.  "I'm really fine with anything, Shisui. Surprise me," he told him. "You always do."

 

  Shisui ended up choosing a local sushi restaurant that he and his team frequented, ordering two takeout boxes. He ran into Anko and Shinko who were out on a walk together, pinkies linked. "You have a good night, Uchiha?" Anko had that knowing look in her eye as she looked at Shisui, as if she could look into his eyes and read his mind. Shisui had immediately flushed at the look she was giving him and she smirked in satisfaction, Shinko looking baffled by the conversation. "Tell Itachi we said hello!" Anko called over her shoulder as she and Shinko walked away. She definitely knew something was up between the two, but seemed more content to simply sit back and enjoy the show.  When Shisui returned home he was surprised to see that Itachi had kept working on the floors while he was gone.  "You didn't have to do all this," Shisui breathed as he looked around the kitchen. Itachi had finished the floors and neatly stacked the old pile on a mat in the corner. "You could have waited for me to help finish it."

 

"I wanted to," Itachi replied, wiping his hands with the hand towel. "You've been working on it nonstop, I figured I could help you a bit." He had washed his face, getting rid of the smudge of dirt. 

 

"Thank you," Shisui set down the food on the counter, warmth blossoming in his chest as he realized that Itachi had also cleaned them. "Really Itachi, I appreciate it." Having Itachi helping him felt right, as if he was always meant to be there. "I got us onigiri from the sushi place near the academy. I got you some extra cabbage on the side." Shisui opened the container of food, showing its contents to Itachi who looked very pleased. They ate at the counter, talking about whatever crossed their mind. It felt natural to be together like this; Shisui had forgotten how much he missed simply having Itachi around. Last night had been...wonderful. Nothing had truly happened, but it had been a start. Being able to touch Itachi, to look at him and make him moan was more than enough to sate Shisui. He had been able to touch Itachi intimately, to spread him open and feel his skin under his fingers. He wasn't going to push for more, not until Itachi trusted him enough. Kisses were enough, being in his kitchen with him was enough. When they finished eating, Shisui cleared away the trash while Itachi cleaned off the counters. It felt almost domestic, like it was meant to be.

 


The next several days were perfect. Neither Itachi or Shisui had been assigned missions that took them out of the village, meaning that they were able to spend each night together. The kitchen looked amazing, the floors brightening the once dingy space up significantly. Three days before Katsumi was due home, Shisui and Itachi had spent the evening sparring out in the woods. They had returned late that night, both sore and exhausted but pleased. Shisui had tossed himself onto the couch with a relieved sigh, staring up at the ceiling. He was happy to have been kept occupied as he had been, without his normal workload he would have been out of his mind with boredom. Missions had been hit or miss as of late and Shisui could suddenly understand Katsumi's desire to be out of Konoha for a bit. Without something to keep them busy, the village could be almost cloying. He watched as Itachi walked through the kitchen, turning off the might over the stove and quickly organizing the utensils. He had always been the organized type, even in Shisui's home.

 

"Hey, come with me," Shisui stood and took Itachi's hand, linking their fingers together as he led him down the hall. Itachi looked at him in open curiosity, his eyes sparkling in amusement at the way Shisui was acting.

 

"So mysterious," Itachi teased and Shisui smiled at him in response. He followed Shisui down the hall and into his bedroom. The one he shared with Katsumi. Itachi hesitated at the door, feeling like this was somewhere he shouldn't be. 

 

Shisui walked over to the dresser and picked up a small box. "I have something I want to give you," he turned to look over at Itachi. "Come here," he ushered him inside. "I talked to Auntie Eiko and she told me the history of this," Shisui sat next to Itachi and watched as he curiously turned the necklace over in his hand, looking confused and intrigued by the history of the necklace. "The necklace goes beyond any marks and it feels right that it goes to you. Whatever we are from here on out, I love and respect you." It felt important that the necklace go to Itachi, as if it was meant to be his. Auntie Eiko hadn't told him to give to to Katsumi. She seemed to know where it should go.

 

"Shisui this is too much," Itachi glanced up at the older boy. "I can't accept this." He almost looked frantic, as if afraid he was touching something he shouldn't be. "Shouldn't this go to Katsumi? Or...or any children you may have?" He reached out to Shisui, intent on returning the necklace. 

 

Shisui took Itachi’s hand and gently closed it over the necklace. "Katsumi's already gotten plenty of my family heirlooms. I want this one to be yours," Shisui held Itachi’s closed hand between both of his. "It was not meant for any soulmate. Please say you'll keep it?" 

 

Itachi hesitated, seeming to want to argue further, but he looked back down, opening his hand to look at the necklace. "Okay," he breathed, offering Shisui a little smile. "Thank you, Shisui." Shisui took the necklace from Itachi, motioning for him to move his hair out of the way. Itachi brushed his hair to one side, allowing Shisui to look at the back of his neck as he fastened the necklace around his throat, clasping the back, as his fingers brushed his hair.  He pressed his lips against the back of Itachi's neck, smiling against him as he felt the younger boy shiver.  "Does it look alright?" Itachi asked, turning towards Shisui. The necklace hung down low on his throat. It looked as if it had been made for him.

 

"It looks perfect. You look perfect."  Shisui tipped Itachi's chin up and gently kissed him. "I'd like you to wear it for me." How could Itachi possibly say no to such a request?

 

The end of the two weeks came far too quickly in Shisui's opinion. They had sent that time training together or simply hanging out. It was Itachi who was the voice of reason, as always. "I don't think she will be appreciate coming home to me on your lap," he had admonished Shisui with a little smile when they had woken up in the morning, curled together in Shisui's bed.

 

"No," Shisui agreed, thumb stroking down Itachi's cheek. "I don't think she would."  Days after Katsumi returned to the village, Shisui had been assigned his own mission, taking him from home for over a week. Katsumi had been too busy with a new project to see him off. It was fine though, Itachi had been there to kiss him goodbye. 

 

 


 

 

 Itachi found his new apartment four days later. It was an older apartment near the cafe that Shinko worked at. Situated on the top floor it was a small loft  with a tiny balcony overlooking the quiet side street. A ladder led up to the loft where Itachi would sleep and below was just enough room for his kitchen and living area. A skylight was situated over the loft area and brightened it up tremendously. It was small but it was perfect and it was Itachi's. Sasuke had been very displeased about Itachi moving out, but had found comfort in knowing that he was a short distance from the academy and he could drop in on his brother whenever he wanted to. In the week that Itachi had been in his apartment, Sasuke had stopped by after finishing at the academy everyday and would stay until it began to grow dark out. Itachi had set up a makeshift space for him if he ever wanted to stay the night.

 

Itachi knew he was growing bolder. Something churning in him that enjoyed drawing Shisui in and having his attention. He was pleased to be taking that attention away from Katsumi, to be there with open arms when Shisui needed him. When Katsumi had gone off to on her job for a couple weeks, Shisui only had eyes for Itachi. They were playing a dangerous game. Shisui always had been the one that enjoyed taking risks. Itachi was the forbidden fruit and Shisui was always inclined to do the forbidden. Their final morning together was quiet, neither pushing for anything more than little kisses. Itachi left hours before Katsumi returned. Katsumi suspected nothing, as bland towards Itachi as ever and as inattentive to Shisui as she always seemed to be. That was okay, Itachi would make up for what she lacked. He felt very grown-up wearing Shisui's necklace. He felt very grown-up in his own apartment with his own little tea set. He felt very grown-up making Shisui smile when all he seemed to do at home was frown.

 

Mother had come to visit once, bringing itachi food, knowing that he likely wasn't eating regularly. She was understanding of Itachi's desire to distance himself from the clan and seemed proud that he had managed it.  "Your father misses you," she teased as they sat on the small balcony, sipping tea that Itachi had prepared them. "He'll never admit it out loud, but he's not used to not having you home."

 

"This will be good for both of us," Itachi offered Mikoto a little smile. "I needed to get away." He loved the clan, but it did not erase the hardships that they had all faced. 

 

"And I'm glad you did," Mikoto reached out, cupping Itachi's face in her palm. "I know you've faced cruelties, but I am glad to see it hasn't made you lose yourself." Her smile was kind, mirroring Itachi's own. He had lost a great deal in the last few years with the scandal of Danzo hanging over his head, but he had not lost his family. That was really all that mattered.

 

Late one night, Itachi was awoken by an approaching presence. He had reached under his pillow for the small kunai he kept close and sat up, glancing towards the ceiling.  Shisui had scaled onto the roof of the apartment and was grinning down at him from the skylight. Itachi hadn't even told him that he had moved. Had mother or father told him?  Itachi huffed in amusement, moving to unlock the window and push it open.  "I have a front door you know," Itachi admonished him. "And a balcony if you were that inclined to sneak in."

 

"I tried the balcony and it was locked," Shisui shrugged. "Plus this was much more fun." He crawled inside, landing silently beside Itachi. "You never told me you were moving. I tried going to your window at your parents and Sasuke caught me. Wasn't very happy to see me, but told me where you were." Itachi could only imagine Sasuke's reaction to catching Shisui trying to sneak in through his window. 

 

"Perhaps I wished for you to come find me," Itachi replied as he closed and locked the skylight. Shisui's responding grin was practically feral. Itachi knew that he liked his answer, knew that he was excited at the thought of giving chase.   "How was your mission?" Itachi asked as they settled down under the blankets, the stars twinkling through the skylight. 

 

"It was good. It was only a C-rank so I was mostly there to overlook some of the chunin. They all did well, I think some of them are ready to promote. The briefing went smoothly, I think the Hokage was pleased,"  Shisui linked his fingers with Itachi's. "I should probably have headed home by now, but I wanted to see you." Itachi pulled Shisui's hand forward, pressing soft kisses against his knuckles. 

 

"She doesn't know you're here?" There was no need to decipher who she was. Itachi however did an amazing job of keeping the distaste from his voice, as professional and courteous as ever. 

 

"No, she's busy with work." Shisui explained, leaning over Itachi so he could get a good look at him. Weeks earlier, he would have been more upset at his wife's lack of interest, but he was growing used to it. Itachi hated the way Shisui seemed to deflate at the mention of Katsumi, as if all the joy was being sucked from him. She was running herself into the ground with her busy schedule and it was clear that she had no intentions of slowing down. 

 

"Does she ever take a break?" Itachi looked up at him, hair spread across his pillow, making it look like an ink spill. 

 

"That's rich coming from you," Shisui teased, fingers tracing over the necklace resting against Itachi's chest. "I...she's a hard worker and I know her work is just as important as mine, but sometimes it feels like she'd much rather be there than around me, and other times she can be attentive and wonderful...I just wish that I didn't feel like I was a chore, you know?" Itachi frowned at this and sat up, forcing Shisui to scoot back to give him room.

 

"You're not a chore, Shisui," Itachi solemnly stated, clasping Shisui's shoulder. "If that's all she makes you feel like then maybe she needs to reprioritize somethings. Her work is important, yes, but that does not mean you're not. Plenty of couples can juggle the hardships of professional and private life. It shouldn't be a competition." If Shisui's mark had matched his, Itachi would have had no issue with being able to keep his priorities in check. He was of course, loyal to the village and would serve it as expected of him, but he would not have allowed Shisui to think for even one-second, that he was a burden. Shisui loved with his entire being and he deserved someone who matched that love. He was a dedicated shinobi and loyal Uchiha, did he not deserve to have any ounce of happiness that could be offered to him? Shisui leaned forward and pressed his lips against Itachi's in a tender kiss. 

 

"Thank you," he breathed as he pulled away, his forehead pressed against Itachi's neck. Itachi wrapped his arms around him, fingers gently stroking through his hair, allowing Shisui to simply rest. 

 

Chapter 12: Closer

Chapter Text

Katsumi had never wanted to marry a shinobi. It had been something she had been assured of for years. Since she watched her father go on mission after mission, neglecting her mother, only to return home so filled with trauma and darkness that the bottle became his only comfort. Since she lost friend after friend and was told to simply move on for the sake of the village and that their sacrifice had been necessary, since she lay in the hospital and was told she would never be in the field again, all those years at the academy and training were wasted. No, she wanted to put that life behind her, and when Shisui Uchiha’s name had appeared on her skin, she had floundered. 

 

She hadn't wanted him. He was kind enough, friendly to the point of being disarming. Not to mention incredibly handsome. She was relieved to not have had an ugly soulmate, she could only imagine the mortification of having been matched with someone that she found unappealing or even worse, ugly. She had certainly lucked out. Yet, he was a talented shinobi, loyal to his village and clan. Katsumi could see herself in five years, watching her husband leave day after day, ignoring their children in favor of serving Konohagakure. He would return home, more broken than how he had left and Katsumi did not want that. She did not want to become her mother, wondering if her husband's next mission would be his last.

 

Katsumi had built a life for herself, outside that structure and outside the Yamanaka's shadow. She was good at what she did. The people she helped would influence the following generations, building a better future for all. It might not be as lauded as the shinobi's duties were, but that hardly mattered to Katsumi. She was only cleaning up the messes that shinobi left behind. She had watched her little cousin rush off to the academy, as excited as Katsumi had once been. Ino was good. She could be anything and it broke Katsumi's heart to see her follow in her parent's footsteps, as if nothing could hold her back.

 

It had been far too easy to fall for Shisui, especially when his own mark finally appeared, linking them permanently. She had been swept away by the excitement he brought to her life. He was all fire and passion, a perfect foil for her ice and ambition. They balanced each other in a way she hadn't anticipated. Shisui was like a loyal puppy, eager to please and fun to be around. Katsumi had been worried that he would attempt to hold her back and assert his will over her, but instead he had followed her lead as if he was always meant to. She enjoyed the power she wielded over him, over this talented shinobi. He had enemies that quaked at the sight of him but each night he was on his knees for her and her alone. Shisui was hers and everyone with eyes could see it.



She walked through the door, quietly closing it behind her as she spotted Shisui working at the table. He glanced up from the paperwork strewn in front of him to offer her a little smile. "Well, hello there. Was wondering when I would see that beautiful face," he greeted, voice warm.

 

"I bought us dinner from the place by my office," Katsumi explained, showing him the bags of takeout she had picked up. "Can you take a break?" Shisui grinned and set his pen down, looking all too pleased at the prospect of food. 

 

"Of course," he agreed easily and stood to help her take the food from the bags. It was nice having moments together like this, just the two of them. They were few and far between these days but luckily Shisui was understanding. The fragrant scent of rice wafted through the kitchen and Katsumi carefully scooped the vegetables onto hers and Shisui's plates. They ate in comfortable silence, enjoying the peace. It was rare when they had the chance to share a meal together, but it was enjoyable. Shisui was a better cook than Katsumi but they both enjoyed being able to enjoy takeout without the hassle of messing up the kitchen. Shisui had done amazing work on the floors and the counters were their next order of business. Shisui had already gotten the supplies he would need but had lately been inundated with new missions. After their meal, Katsumi had cleaned up while Shisui had returned to his reports, a pot of tea brewing.

 

"I'll probably be a little late coming home tomorrow," Katsumi explained as she wiped down the counter. "Isamu and I are finishing up with a project. Hopefully if we finish it in time, it will give us all a break for a bit." She expected Shisui to be disappointed, to quietly accept her reasoning, but make that kicked puppy face he sometimes did. However, Shisui simply nodded, glancing up from his mission report.

 

"That's fine. Itachi invited me to go to the academy for his brother's presentation. I'll just hang out at his place after." Katsumi had heard that Itachi and him were on good terms again, and at least Shisui would have someone to hang around when Katsumi was occupied; She hung the rag over the counter and washed her hands in the sink.

 

"You mean at his parent's." She corrected and Shisui shook his head, not glancing up as he looked over the report.

 

"No, he has an apartment in the village now. Been there for a little over a month." He frowned at something he had written, quickly crossing it out and rewriting his sentence. “It’s nice, a little loft all to himself.” Katsumi blinked, leaning against the counter to watch Shisui work. He murmured something under his breath, seeming to struggle with finishing the report as he needed.

 

"I never thought he'd leave the shadow of his parents." Katsumi murmured, eyebrows raising in surprise. "Did he fight with them or something? They didn't kick him out or anything like that?" She opened the cupboard door and  reached inside, grabbing a small green yunomi and pulling it out.

 

"No, he just wanted to have his own space. I think it will be good for him." Shisui smiled slightly, his eyes softening as he spoke of the other boy. Katsumi poured the tea into the cup, glancing up to watch her husband curiously.

 

"Yes, quite," Katsumi agreed. "You seem quite happy for him." She took the yunomi, warming her palms as she moved to sit across from her husband.

 

"I am," Shisui agreed readily, closing his mission report and setting down his pen. "It gives him a little more freedom. Let’s him have a bit of a life for himself." His smile was tender, and the way he spoke of Itachi was filled with so much happiness. She wondered if Shisui was aware Itachi was in love with him. That the friendship he coveted was nothing more than a young boy who yearned for a happily married man. She wouldn’t say anything. It wasn’t her place and she wasn’t going to risk going down that route. 

 

 "We should invite him over for dinner some evening," Katsumi offered blandly, fingers tapping the edge of her cup. “Maybe next week. I have a few days off. I’m sure I can spare an evening and have him come have a meal with us.”

 

"Yeah? You want to see him?" Shisui was looking at her in avid interest and she shrugged, glancing at the tea, as if deeply interested in it.

 

"Of course. You've entertained my own friends plenty and I'm sure he'd enjoy a home cooked meal." She set her cup down and Shisui smiled at her, eyes warm as he reached across the table to take her hand in his and give it a gentle squeeze.

 

"Thank you," he murmured, leaning forward to press a kiss against her knuckles. "I'll be sure to ask him."

 

Katsumi hummed, turning her hand to cup Shisui’s chin in her palm. "Of course. We're in this together aren’t we? What's yours is mine and all that babble. What you love, I love. What you cherish, I cherish.  If he is important to you then he is important to me."

 

 Shisui looked so happy to hear this and he stood, leaning over the table to press a kiss against her lips. Katsumi returned the kiss, smiling against him as she quickly nipped his lower lip. She didn't like Itachi, but he was important to Shisui and if this marriage was going to work, Katsumi was going to need to accept that and learn to deal with the boy. Shisui had been more than welcoming to all of her friends so it was only fair that she set aside her feelings for Itachi, at least for Shisui's sake. If the boy embarrassed himself in front of Shisui, then it was out of Katsumi’s hands. He wasn’t a fool, but he was bitter and Katsumi knew it. Still, what made Shisui happy made her happy as well.

 


 

Tenzo and Itachi had come to visit Itachi at the apartment. He was still in the midst of organizing but was happy to see familiar faces. He was settling in well, and having his own space was oddly liberating. Kakashi and Tenzo had been happy for him when he informed them. Both of them had brought little gifts for Itachi. Tenzo had gotten him an assortment of tea leaves, all individually sorted by flavor. Kakashi had brought Itachi hand soaps, all handcrafted and smelling of fresh herbs. "This really is too much," Itachi had stated, even as Tenzo had pushed the tea into his hands.

 

"It's a housewarming gift, Itachi," Tenzo teased. "Just like when you gave me those metal chopsticks when Iruka and I found our place." Itachi really had no argument for that. Still, it felt like he was imposing accepting these gifts.

 

Kakashi handed Itachi the soap, smiling under his mask at Itachi's reaction. "Be happy that Tenzo stopped me from giving you one of the 'Icha Icha' novels," he teasingly patted the boy's hand. “I’m sure with your privacy you would want to...get to know yourself a little better.” Kakashi waggled his eyebrows, no shame at all. Itachi looked over to Tenzo and nodded gratefully. 

 

"Thank you both." He smiled at them, happy that they had been able to make the time to visit. Sasuke was his most frequent visitor if he wasn’t counting the visits from Shisui. Sasuke was always a welcome sight and Itachi was happy to help him with any schoolwork he had. It also allowed them time to train together. Sasuke was improving fast and seemed pleased to have Itachi’s attention on him, undisputed and uninterrupted.   A familiar chakra began to approach and Itachi looked up, eyes glancing towards the skylight before moving to set the tea down on the countertop. 

 

"Mahh, looks like Shisui’s back to visit," Kakashi hummed, his visible eye roving to watch Itachi, leaning against the wall. "Glad to see that you're still making time for each other despite his recent marriage." There was something in Kakashi's gaze, a knowing of sorts and Itachi found himself unable to meet his eyes.

 

"Shisui’s a good friend," he murmured, looking down at the tea bags in his hands. “I am always happy to have him over.”

 

"Yes," Tenzo agreed, offering Itachi a friendly smile. "Shisui always seemed to be a good guy. I’m glad he finally matched with someone. I was convinced it wasn’t going to end up happening. Are you and his soulmate close?" For a brief moment Itachi wanted to laugh at the question, but he shrugged instead, remaining as aloof as possible.

 

"We've talked," he replied. "But I would not say that we are close at all." He hated her. With every fiber of his being, he despised her; It wasn't fair to her and he knew it.

 

"Well, I'm sure you guys will be great friends. From what I've heard of her, Katsumi seems to be Shisui's perfect match." Tenzo was happy with Iruka and that happiness gave him a lighter view on the world. If something so good could come from such a dark world, perhaps soulmarks were worth the wait. Kakashi was watching Itachi in open interest and Itachi smiled, knowing it was not reaching his eyes. 

 

"Yes," Itachi's voice was bland, setting the soap down in order to not crush it.  "That's all anyone could have hoped for."



Chapter 13: Dinner

Chapter Text

"Dinner with you and Katsumi?" The midday sun was bright, beating down against the training grounds. Itachi wiped the sweat from his brow, watching as two birds flew by, circling a low hanging branch as they took off into the air, chirping as they disappeared into the tree line. "Are you sure that is wise?" The training grounds were empty, only the two of them remaining. Shisui grinned at him, kneeling down as he put away his weapons pouch. When had had shown up at his door, he had been surprised to see Tenzo and Kakashi who had been quick to give them privacy. Itachi was convinced there was something far too knowing in Kakashi's gaze. It wasn't something he wanted to think about.

 

"She insisted," he replied, looking far too eager with the situation. "I really think she wants to build something with you. She knows you're important to me and she's willing to try to be friends." Itachi watched him, expression discerning as he considered his words.

 

"I hardly think she'd want to be my friend if she knew the truth," Itachi raised an eyebrow, watching as Shisui's grin turned sheepish. He hadn't really considered that outcome and it was obvious by the look on his face. 

 

"I'm working on that," he ducked his head down, scratching at the back of his neck and Itachi sighed, stepping forward and kneeling down across from the older boy, watching him with a somber expression. 

 

"Are you hoping to get her permission or something?" he didn't dare say anything too loudly. He knew there was no one around, but it had been ingrained in him for years to be aware of his surroundings. 

 

"You think she'd go for it?" Shisui joked, lightly shoving Itachi's shoulder. A cicada buzzed in the distance. 

 

"Hardly." Itachi replied impassively, imagining her distaste. "I don't picture her as the type to share her husband."

 

"Hmm, maybe a team effort then," he waggled his eyebrows suggestively and Itachi felt his cheeks heat up at the implication. "Maybe she'll do a custody agreement." Was he hoping to have them side by side? Did Shisui honestly think that Katsumi or him would go for that? Shisui glanced back down, fiddling with the strap of the pouch for a moment. Itachi sighed, brushing his sweaty hair from his face. 

 

"Shisui, I adore you, but no," he stood, offering his hand to Shisui who accepted it, pulling him to his feet. "There are only certain things I enjoy sharing and that would not be one of them." It wasn't as if he and Shisui had crossed that final line. Itachi had made his decision very clear and Shisui was respecting that choice, never pushing too far and allowing Itachi to decide when enough was enough. Kisses in the dark were one thing, but what Itachi wanted from Shisui was pushing a whole new boundary. He dreamt of it; he dreamt of having Shisui take him, he craved it. In his wildest dreams he saw himself drop to his knees in front of Shisui and worship him. He dreamt of offering himself to Shisui and letting Shisui take . He would wake up hard and trembling and thrusting against his mattress like some sort of pervert. He wanted Shisui and he knew Shisui wanted him. Shisui spoiled him with kind words and gentle touches. His kisses were filled with such longing that Itachi could feel it linger on his skin. The massage in the bedroom had been as far as they had truly gone and Itachi mentally kicked himself for not giving in then. He enjoyed the chase, and enjoyed having Shisui's hungry gaze follow him. It was a challenge and Itachi wanted Shisui to conquer him as he did everything in life. If Itachi gave in too soon, Shisui would likely grow bored and Itachi could not allow that.

 

"Would you be willing though?" Shisui went on, watching Itachi with those lovely dark eyes. "To have dinner with us next week?" He looked hopeful; he wanted this to work. He wanted to please his wife as well as Itachi and Itachi couldn't bring himself to refuse his request. He could stomach Katsumi and her smug superiority. He had her husband wrapped around his finger, ready to fall into bed with him.

 

"Yes," Itachi breathed. "I would be happy to."




 

The night of the dinner came way too fast. Shisui had gone shopping for groceries, thrilled and nervous to have his two most important people under the same roof. Guilt still gnawed at his stomach, knowing that his wife was welcoming Shisui's near lover into her home. He wanted to confess, to tell her everything, but she'd likely blame Itachi. Shisui couldn't allow Itachi to be blamed for it. When Itachi arrived that evening he was smiling and looking at ease, dressed casually with his hair in a neat bun. He looked perfect. Shisui stood at the stove, humming to himself as he cooked. He had waved off both Katsumi and Itachi from helping him, urging them to relax and talk.  "I'm making Okonomiyaki," he beamed at Itachi. "I know that you like cabbage, go relax. Have a drink."

 

That was how Itachi found himself awkwardly sitting across from Katsumi, who looked as lovely as ever. Her long hair was pinned back by a silver and green hair pin, the green seeming to perfectly match her eyes. She was dressed much more regally than Itachi, who was wearing his off duty pants and long sleeve shirt. Katsumi meanwhile was wearing a lovely purple Hanten and slim black pants. She managed to look comfortable as well as put together with ease.  "The kitchen is coming along nicely," Itachi managed to find his voice, looking around the kitchen as Shisui bustled at the stove. The floors really made the kitchen look brighter and it looked like there was new trimming.

 

Katsumi smiled kindly, making herself comfortable across from Itachi. "Shisui really has done amazing work with the house," she breathed, eyes moving to take in the new floors. "We're getting ready to start on the cupboards this weekend, Shisui's already has a list of plans all written out. I sort of like the old charm of the house, but the bathroom would probably need some renovation as well. Or at least a vent put in to get rid of any moisture." Itachi remembered Shisui complaining about the old bathroom before, saying that mold was starting to appear on the ceilings. 

 

“Are you renovating the entire house?” He asked, hands resting on his lap as he watched the woman who shook her head, fingers drumming against the surface of the table as she glanced over to her husband. 

 

"No, just making it our own. Shisui's converting his childhood bedroom into his supply room. He has all his weapons and scrolls that need to be organized and having a space dedicated to it seems the most logical." She stood, approaching Shisui and resting her hand on his lower back as she opened the cupboard. Itachi glanced down at his hands, careful to not let his eyes linger too long. Katsumi returned a moment later with a bottle of what appeared to be wine and a couple glasses. She uncapped the bottle and poured some of the wine into one of the cups. "Here, try this," Katsumi handed Itachi a glass, pouring herself a glass as well. "It's Umeshu. A very sweet wine. Shisui told me that you have a bit of a sweet tooth," Katsumi stated with a little smile. "I have trouble with a lot of alcohol, but I thought you might enjoy this." She drank from her glass, eyes fixed on Itachi.

 

"Thank you,"  Itachi looked at the contents of the glass curiously before bringing it to his lips and sipping. It was incredibly sweet, as Katsumi had said.  "It's very good." He admitted, watching as Katsumi took a sip from her own glass. The kitchen smelled wonderful, the Okonomiyaki was sizzling as Shisui flipped it, seeming at ease at the stove. 

 

"I'm very picky with my own drinks," Katsumi admitted. "I'm glad it's to your liking." There was a moment of awkward silence and Katsumi absently tapped her fingers against her glass."I realize things have been tense between us and I would like us to be friends." Itachi glanced up at her, face devoid of emotion as he listened.

 

"You wish to be friends?" He repeated and Katsumi reached forward to take his hand. Her fingers were long and elegant and her nails were trimmed nicely. They were softer than Itachi's, that were calloused and a bit crooked from multiple breaks. 

 

"You're important to Shisui, therefore as his wife and soulmate, you are important to me as well," she pat his hand gently, offering him a gentle smile. "Perhaps a little brother of sorts, or a dear friend." He smiled back, uncertain and guarded, but genuine. She watched him, taking in the curve of his throat and the way his bangs framed his face. Itachi nodded after a moment.

 

“I’d like that,” he replied. Katsumi's smile was angelic and she lifted her glass in a toast. Itachi could see Shisui beaming at them, eyes bright as he watched them speak. Itachi lifted his own glass, quietly allowing it to clink against Katsumi's. They both drank, eyes fixed on each other. Katsumi looked relaxed, curious even and Itachi cracked a little smile. They set the table as Shisui finished up, placing down the plates and utensils. They had placed out condiments for the Okonomiyaki; Itachi could remember mother making this when he was much younger. 

 

"I'm glad to see you both getting along so well," Shisui breathed as he divvied up the portions. "I was hoping you two would be good friends." Katsumi smiled at him and reached for his hand after he set the pan down.

 

"He is a sweet thing, Shisui," she murmured, pressing her lips against his hand. "I am happy to have him here." She moved to where Itachi sat and leaned down, pressing her lips against his cheek and offering him a little smile. Itachi smiled back, nodding in agreement. 

 

"I appreciate you having me." Shisui looked happier then Itachi remembered seeing him in a long time. Perhaps that would make this worth it. It was relaxed as they ate, Shisui keeping up the conversation with ease. Katsumi ate delicately, never dropping a piece of cabbage or opening her mouth too wide. She was quick to offer Itachi more Umeshu, filling her and Shisui's glasses as well. The alcohol relaxed Itachi, putting his frayed nerves at ease. Katsumi was kind, charming and smiled at Shisui like he was the sun. They held hands as they ate, fingers linked and united; Soulmates.

 

Shisui smiled at her as she ate, quietly leaning forward to ask how she liked it. Katsumi chuckled, her full lips curving into a little smile. "It's delicious," she assured him, eyes fixing on him. There was something heated in their gazes, almost primal. Itachi found himself feeling like he was intruding on something he shouldn't be. After they finished, Katsumi took the plates to the sink, setting them down and wiping her hands. Shisui remained at the table, relaxed and happy to be surrounded by his loved ones.

 

"This was good," he breathed, smiling at Itachi. "I'm glad we could have you, here. I missed you." The walls they had put up between them had long crumbled, but it felt right to be together like this. If Itachi had to deal with Katsumi and accept her, he would. Anything to please Shisui; anything for him.

 

Itachi smiled back, nodding. "It was very nice," he agreed. 

 

"I'm pleased we could make it work." Katsumi walked forward, lifting her hand to stroke through Shisui’s curls. He tilted his head, smiling up at her. Katsumi leaned down, pressing her lips against his and pulling him into a deep kiss. Itachi looked away, quietly sipping from his glass.  She turned her gaze to him, still smiling. "So tell me, Itachi. How can anyone possibly resist my beautiful husband here?" Her hand lifted to  cup Shisui's face, giving it a gentle squeeze as his eyes crinkled in delight. "Every time he requests something, I feel compelled to give it to him. Did you ever find yourself having that problem?" Itachi's palms felt warm and he absently wiped them against his pants. 

 

"Shisui has his charms," Itachi replied, choosing his words carefully. "Of course I could deny him nothing." He drank deeply from his glass and Katsumi laughed in open delight; it was like wind-chimes in the soft morning wind. 

 

"Yes, I can see how you would bend to his whims," she teased, stroking Shisui's cheek. "I am lucky. Shisui's so attentive to my needs. I couldn't have found a better man if I tried." Her voice dropped lower, huskier as she stared at Shisui. "He has never denied me anything, and I shall never understand my luck." Itachi glanced down at his glass, swallowing down his envy. Was she rubbing him in Itachi's face, or was she just gushing? It was hard to tell and the alcohol muddled Itachi's thoughts. 

 

"Shisui is very kind," he replied, staring at his reflection. "Anyone would be lucky to have his attention." Katsumi hummed in agreement, taking a drink from her glass, her cheeks flushed prettily. 

 

"I hope one day, your soulmate will sweep you off your feet," Katsumi leaned against the back of Shisui's chair, arms wrapped around the Uchiha's shoulders as she smiled at Itachi. "Maybe you will find your match." She rested her chin on Shisui's shoulder, eyes shutting as she smiled against him. Itachi glanced up, meeting Shisui's gaze as the older boy looked back, expression soft.

 

"I'm sure they will be there one day," Itachi murmured without looking away, unwavering as he stared at his soulmate. "Until then I will gladly wait for them. In anyway they would need me to."

 

Chapter 14: Friends

Chapter Text

Shisui was relieved by how well the evening went. He had pictured it remaining tense and awkward, both Itachi and Katsumi far too proud to bend to the other. However, it was going better than he had imagined, Katsumi was a lovely hostess who seemed to have really taken a shine to Itachi. Itachi was trying. Shisui knew this was difficult for him and he hated to put him in this position. Shisui watched as Katsumi relaxed against the couch, offering Itachi a small smile that he returned; Shisui sat opposite them, on the couch. They had a bottle of wine shared between them, both pleasantly flushed and relaxed. "I'm going to clean up," Shisui stood. "Why don't you guys keep at it." There was a comfortable silence in the living room. Shisui knew that both Itachi and Katsumi were not the type to fill silence with awkward talk. Shisui scrubbed the pan, the warm water from the sink pruning his fingers as he cleaned the food still caked onto the surface. He set the pan aside, suds clinging to it as he placed the plates under the flow of water. He could hear rain pattering against the window and after a moment the rumble of thunder rolled on by. The silence lingered, and Shisui turned off the tap, drying his hands with a washcloth, hanging it over the counter. 

 

When he walked back through the door, he found the pair tucked on the couch together, legs entangled. Katsumi was grasping Itachi's hand, fingers linked. They seemed to be getting along swimmingly. Katsumi was giggling at something, her cheeks flushed, a half empty glass in her hand, and Itachi was smiling sleepily, head resting against the couch. They looked up as he entered, both at ease. "We're going to be friends," Katsumi declared, voice a tad bit slurred as she threw an arm around Itachi. "My little brother." She pressed a wet, smacking kiss against his cheek.

 

Itachi leaned into her, seeming to find her comfortable. "I would like that," his voice was quiet, subdued as the wine left him sleepy and malleable. Katsumi pressed her lips against his forehead, cupping his face in her palms. Shisui walked by the couch, approaching the window and locking it, watching as rain pelted against the glass. He heard Katsumi murmur something and glanced over his shoulder to see his wife leaning towards Itachi. Her eyes were shining and lovely, everything about her polished and refined. 

 

"I know I haven't been kind to you, or had kind thoughts, but I truly want to be friends." Katsumi took Itachi’s hands in hers. "I know I've been possessive of Shisui and I know this has been difficult for you. But I can swallow my pride and admit that I was needlessly cold. I hope you can forgive me." She was holding him like he was precious, like Shisui often held him and it warmed his heart to see her handle Itachi so reverently. It only bolstered the adoration he had for her. She was putting in such a wonderful effort and the way she was looking at Itachi...it was how everyone should look at him.

 

"Yes, and I'm sorry for my own behavior," Itachi murmured gently, his smile kind. "It was cruel of me to project my own insecurities onto you." It felt like an oddly self-deprecating statement, and it made Shisui's stomach churn. This was his fault. These two were so similar, so important to him that it should have been easy for them to love each other. Shisui had made things harder. Katsumi hummed at this, stroking Itachi's cheek. Shisui didn't dare speak and ruin this moment. Katsumi pulled away to glance over at her husband, pleased at the sight of him.

 

He sat down across from the pair, watching as Itachi's head tipped back, eyelids heavy. "You look like you could use some sleep," Shisui mused and Itachi hummed in agreement.

 

"Yes, I should head back before it gets too dark," he muttered and Katsumi snorted, fingers moving to brush his bangs back from his face. Her touch was tender, a mother showing affection to her  child, or a friend offering another friend comfort. 

 

"It's already too dark," she glanced over at her husband. "He can spend the night, it's raining way too hard to send him out there." Shisui nodded in agreement, glancing out the darkened window. 

 

"Should I leave him on the couch?" Shisui asked softly, looking back to where Itachi was curled. His former bedroom was currently not in any shape to be slept in, but the couch wasn't exactly the most comfortable place in the world. 

 

Katsumi pursed her lips before shrugging. "No...bring him to our bed," she finally suggested and Shisui looked over to her in surprise. Itachi was already nodding off, giving no indication that he had heard Katsumi's suggestion. 

 

"This feels an awful lot like the start of some weird sex game," Shisui murmured and Katsumi snorted, shooting him an unimpressed look, her cheeks flushed at the implication. 

 

"You've been reading those Icha Icha novels haven't you?" Katsumi teased, stroking Itachi's hair from his face as he fought to remain awake. "It's not that. You said yourself that you want him to be comfortable. Let him be comfortable in an actual bed." It was a kind offer, but an odd one. Still, Shisui was not going to push the delicate accord that had been struck. He moved over to the couch, leaning close to Itachi, intent on scooping him up and carrying him to the bedroom. Itachi however was too far seasoned of a shinobi and his eyes snapped open. 

 

"Oh, hey Itachi," Shisui whispered, cupping his cheek gently. "Didn't wanna bother you. You wanna come to bed with me and Katsumi? It's more comfortable than the couch."

 

Itachi glanced over to Katsumi who smiled warmly as she slipped off the couch to stand next to her husband. "I'd rather you be comfortable with us, then out here all night." She offered him her hand.

 

"Okay," Itachi nodded, standing and letting Katsumi take his hand and pull him to his feet. Katsumi linked their fingers together. She led him down the hall, Shisui following behind. They helped him change into some night clothes, folding and setting his own aside. Shisui noticed that his hip was bandaged, the mark covered. They settled Itachi into the bed, Katsumi drawing the blanket over his shoulder and smoothing it down, fingers absently stroking his hair from his face. Shisui turned away to change into sleeping clothes, allowing Katsumi to continue to pet Itachi's hair. Itachi was quiet, relaxed and it made Shisui feel even better about the evening. He hadn't been sure how Itachi would handle watching Katsumi kiss Shisui, but if Itachi had been upset, he was too talented of a shinobi to allow his feelings to show.

 

 

"You're serious about wanting to spice things up?" Shisui heard Katsumi's voice in his head, he glanced up to see her watching him with a little smile. One of the great things about the Yamanaka clan was that they could have a complete conversation without ever having to physically speak. She wasn't touching him at the moment so Shisui was unable to silently communicate back. He slipped into bed beside Itachi, and the younger boy shifted, fast asleep, the blanket falling back as he moved. 

 

"Only if you'd be okay with it," Shisui replied softly, hand moving to cover Itachi's stomach, fingers stroking at the strip of skin just barely showing from the way his shirt had ridden up. "I wouldn't do anything unless you were on board with it." He watched as Katsumi undressed, pulling her shirt over her head and slipping out of the soft black pants she had been wearing. There was a flush to her skin, and a barely noticeable delay. It wasn't often that she drank as she had tonight. She had never been the type to be self conscious about her body and it was even more obvious as she walked around her room, completely naked as Itachi slept in her bed. 

 

"I suppose we could arrange something. Would you want that?" Katsumi walked over to the dresser, taking her lotion off the counter in order to do her nightly skincare routine. "I have friends who would be more than willing." Shisui's mouth went dry and Katsumi grinned at him, her red lips quirking in amusement. "Or are you hoping to take advantage of drunk boys?" She rubbed the lotion up her arms, facing Shisui as she spread a small amount of lotion across her skin. Shisui absently rubbed Itachi's stomach, feeling the boy breathe against him. Katsumi pulled a small nightgown from the dresser and slipped into it. It was thin and silky, bold for tonight, but Shisui didn't say anything, holding Itachi a little tighter as Katsumi approached the bed. Shisui lifted him to place him on the other side of the bed, but Katsumi reached out. 

 

"Have him lay between us."" Katsumi said out loud, tone hushed as Itachi slowly lowered Itachi back down.  "He won't wake, I think the wine has him nice and sleepy." She leaned over Itachi to kiss Shisui. 

 

"We shouldn't with him here," Shisui murmured even as he returned the kiss. "This would be too much."

 

"We'll be quiet," she took his hand, moving it to cover her breast. "Are you still interested in my earlier offer?" Her lips moved to trail down Shisui's shoulder, fingers gliding through his curls. "We have been rather stagnant as of late haven't we?" And I have been distant, haven't I? That's not fair to you." Shisui pulled away from the kiss, releasing her breast. He leaned forward and kissed her tenderly before laying down at Itachi's side. 

 

"I know how important your work is." Shisui murmured, rubbing Itachi's stomach as the boy soundly slept. "It's not fair of me to be upset with you." Katsumi followed his movements, a little smile curling at her lips.

 

"No, but it's also not fair of me to keep pushing you away." Katsumi reached out to cover his hand with her own. "We could go for another couple, or perhaps someone without the mark. Teach them a bit." Katsumi settled down with a little laugh. "I'm not too sure sweet Itachi would enjoy sharing...or me, I think that would be a bit much for him. But, we can discuss it with him in the morning, if you would like." Her cheeks were flushed with wine and Shisui offered her a small smile. 

 

"You're being funny, Katsumi. Get some sleep, okay?" He knew she was too drunk to discuss the matter further, and he wouldn't be the one to bring it up again. He smoothed Itachi's shirt back down, covering him with the blanket. 

 

"I'm always funny, Shisui...I'm glad we did this." Katsumi's voice was sleepy, but pleased. Shisui chuckled in response, his nose pressed against Itachi's dark hair as he looked at his wife. 

 

"Yeah, so am I."

 

Katsumi burrowed closer to Itachi, tucking her face against the side of his neck and smiling up at Shisui. "We should do it more often, it's nice to see you smiling again." Shisui's heart ached at this and he nodded. She had done so much for him, he owed her so much. 

 

"Thank you," Shisui kissed her cheek. She hummed in response, eyes already falling shut. She had been drunker than she let on, likely frazzled by having Itachi over. Side by side, they looked good. Katsumi was all generous curves and perfect skin, legs long and toned, her cleavage visible under the thin shirt she wore, nipples pebbled. Itachi in comparison was sweet, long scrawny limbs and imperfections. The clothing he was loaned seemed to swallow him, his shoulders were bony, a boy still not grown into himself. Katsumi was indeed drunk, her arm thrown around Itachi's waist, holding him fast. He watched them for a long while, watching as Katsumi curled against Itachi’s back, her leg entangled with his, her breasts pressed against him. If he turned his head, he would be against her neck. Once Shisui was satisfied she was asleep, he slipped from the bed, reaching for Itachi who turned towards him, fast asleep. Shisui knew Itachi likely would not be comfortable waking up in bed with Katsumi, no matter how well they were getting along. He drew Itachi to him and Itachi's head lolled, eyes opening.

 

"Shisui?" His voice was quiet, sleepy and it made Shisui's stomach flutter in affection. His eyes were sparkling in the dark, watching Shisui with far clearer eyes than he had an hour ago. 

 

"Shh, come on," Shisui whispered, glancing over to where Katsumi lay. "Let's get you back to the couch." He gently stroked his hand through Itachi's hair, watching as he offered him a little smile.

 

"Kay…" Itachi slowly stood, accepting Shisui's hand and letting the older Uchiha lead him back down the hall. Itachi shuffled slowly, movements careful. Shisui wondered if he had really ever drank before tonight. He likely only accepted because he didn't want Katsumi to think he was childish.

 

He lay Itachi down on the couch, smoothing the blanket over him. "You feeling alright, baby?" He whispered, cupping Itachi's cheek and Itachi nodded.

 

"Just need to sleep it off," he replied softly, leaning into Shisui's hand. "Thank you for letting me stay." Shisui felt wrong. Like he had done something inappropriate, even if nothing had even happened. 

 

"I'm sorry if things got a little heated for you, I think Katsumi drank a little more than usual." She had been more touchy than normal, which was typical when she had too much to drink, but it wasn't something he felt Itachi needed to deal with. Itachi didn't seem bothered, cheek pressing against the plush couch cushion as he looked up at the older boy. 

 

"It's fine. I am happy that you enjoyed the evening. It was worth it if it pleases you," Shisui smiled gently and rubbed his hand over Itachi's chest, resting over his heartbeat. 

 

"You did so good tonight," Shisui murmured as he knelt next to Itachi. "Thank you for this. I'm so proud of you." Itachi's cheeks flushed in pleasure and he beamed up at his friend. 

 

"I'd do anything for you," he met Shisui's gaze, hand moving to stroke his arm. "I'm yours." His fingers curled around Shisui's bicep, stroking the underside of his arm. Shisui pressed his lips against Itachi’s. 

 

"My boy," he murmured. "Get some sleep, okay? Can you stay here for me? Don't try to wander out." The last thing he wanted was for Itachi was for him to try to find his way home in the rain. Being a talented shinobi did not protect you from getting sick. 

 

"Yes sir." Itachi's smile was teasing. Shisui found that he enjoyed that obedience. He kissed him again, delighting in the way Itachi followed his lead, allowing Shisui to control the kiss as it deepened. 

 

"Good boy," Shisui murmured, watching as Itachi's eyes darkened. He slowly sat up, pulling Shisui in as he deepened the kiss, tongue moving against Shisui’s. Shisui's breath hitched, moving onto the couch to grasp the back of Itachi's neck, tongue rolling against Itachi's. In the silence of the darkened living room, their kisses felt far more intimate and heated. Shisui pulled back, smiling at Itachi, whose lips were reddened and wet. Shisui wanted all of him. He nipped at Itachi's chest, hiking up his shirt in order to expose his nipples, which pebbled immediately against the cool night air. He wrapped his lips around a small pink nipple, immediately abusing it. Itachi's breath came out in a shudder, his fingers grasping the back of Shisui’s head, pulling at his curls. Shisui grinned against him. "So sensitive, Itachi." He breathed. 

 

"Shisui please …" Itachi's voice was faint as he desperately attempted to remain quiet. Shisui sucked on the little nub, delighting in the stifled gasps that Itachi let out. He grasped his waist, lifting Itachi to straddle his lap, feeling the boy was already hard against him. His thumb flicked over the other nipple, rolling it around and pulling on it as Itachi's quiet whimpers echoed in his ears. Shisui pulled back, releasing the nipple with a wet pop and grinning at Itachi, whose head was tilted back, eyes clenched shut. He left a red ring around his nipple. Pebbled and red and wet against Itachi’s heaving chest. Shisui wanted to mark all of him, to have Itachi's body covered in Shisui's touch. He reached for Itachi’s crotch, fingers stroking over his clothed shaft, listening to the breathy gasp that escaped him. Shisui smiled, moving to stick his hand down Itachi's pants and the younger boy flinched, causing Shisui to jerk back.

 

"Did I hurt you?" He asked in concern as Itachi scooted back and snapped his legs shut, hand covering his erection as it strained against his pants. He reached out with his free hand, gently touching Shisui’s wrist.

 

"You could never hurt me, Shisui," Itachi assured him, sounding breathless, his cheeks flushed like his chest. "Not unless I let you." He smiled at him, tender and loving. "But I can't, not here. This is her space. It wouldn't be right." Itachi whispered, pulling Shisui's hand up to kiss it reverently and apologetically. He was always thinking ahead, never pushing too hard or for too much. Shisui was lucky to have him.

 

"Yeah," Shisui agreed, pressing his forehead against Itachi's.  "You're right, as always." They caught their breath together, grasping at each other with open desperation. Itachi laughed, a little breathless and lifted his head, lips moving to press against Shisui's face, seeming desperate to show him affection. Shisui slowly pulled away, reluctant to leave him. Their hands remained clasped, hoping to keep the other close. Shisui stared down at him, holding onto his fingers before placing his lips against the back of his knuckles, maintaining eye contact. "Goodnight, Itachi," His voice was gentle, barely a hush.

 

"Goodnight, Shisui," Itachi whispered, watching as Shisui slipped away into the dark, returning to his bedroom and closing the door.

Chapter 15: Scraps

Notes:

Italics is the Yamanaka Clan Telepathy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 Shisui slipped back into the bedroom, quietly closing the door behind him. The silence felt heavy. He glanced over to the bed to see Katsumi asleep, her chest was rising and falling gently, her expression serene. In the darkened room, with only moonlight filtering in, she looked otherworldly, too beautiful to be real. He silently approached the bed and slipped under the covers, as careful not to jostle her as possible but Katsumi turned, bleary eyed and she blinked at him sleepily. "You moved him?" She asked and Shisui nodded, turning to face her.

 

"I figured it would be better for him to wake up not sandwiched between us," the visual image of that had warmth flooding Shisui's crotch. Katsumi's tanned perfect skin in contrast to Itachi. Her knee slotted between his thighs. Katsumi did not lay down for anyone and the thought of her maneuvering Itachi as she pleased had Shisui's sweats tightening. 

 

Katsumi chuckled at this, laying back against the pillows and smiling. "I think you would have liked that very much," she teased, turning her head to study him. "You want him. It's painfully obvious. It's also obvious that you've been seeing him." Shisui lay still for a moment, not sure how to react.

 

"Katsumi,  I-" Shisui began but Katsumi placed her finger against his lips, fixing him with a stern look.

 

"Let me guess, he's let you do everything other than actually fuck him, but you want to," she replied in a gentle tone. Shisui seemed unable to meet her eyes and Katsumi sighed. "Sex is sex, Shisui. Not commitment, unless you let it turn into that. You can have sex with no expectation of anything. It's why there are whore houses in nearly every village. Sex does not equal love. You are my soulmate and I have no qualms with you finding relief with someone else." Shisui stared at her, stunned. "I'm sure he'd be very excited to have you. Is it fair of you to tease him like this? He's a sweet little thing, so eager to please you. He is besotted with you."

 

"I know," Shisui looked down, ashamed of himself. "I'm only messing things up...confusing him." Itachi was sweet, fragile under the pillar of strength he had built up. Shisui only wanted him to be happy; if anyone deserved happiness it was Itachi.

 

"He'll forgive you," Katsumi assured him. "He seems to smart to hold something like this against you, and eventually he will get his own mark and can move on with his life, in the meantime, if you are interested, I can allow you to spend sometime with him." Shisui lay very still, wondering if he had misheard her. Her comments earlier had been filled with innuendo, but she had been drunk, silly. She ran her finger over Shisui's bicep. "I do believe I would enjoy watching you fuck him. Eager little thing; he'd make a mess of our bed." 

 

Shisui's eyes were dark, sparkling in the dim lighting. The thought of his wife, lounging about and watching as he fucked Itachi was breathtaking, better than any wet dream Shisui could have thought of. "Yes," he agreed softly. "He's always been sweet." He sat up, suddenly too wound up to relax, wondering if this was a fever dream, or if he had drank too much and was hallucinating. 

 

"Consider it an early anniversary gift," Katsumi smiled at him. "I know I am often busy at the office. My aunt had a similar arrangement with her soulmate. They were often apart due to their separate duties, but they had permission to choose a lover. An unmatched lover, just to be safe." Shisui had heard about those sort of arrangements before. He knew Kakashi Hatake had been in the beds with many couples, seemingly at ease without his own mark to anchor him down. "I have rules, though. " Katsumi pushed Shisui onto the bed, crawling after him. "You do not bring him here without my supervision and you do not spend the night with him. Once he has his own soulmate, you both will end your meetings, I hardly think whoever he ends up with will be as understanding. Some couples can be so prudish about it all. After you are done with him, I want you to tell me about it. About what you do."

 

Shisui blinked. "I didn't think you would want to hear about him, I know you're not exactly attracted to him," which was insane because Itachi was lovely, even with his imperfections. He reached out, holding onto her waist as she straddled his lap, his thumb moving to trace over the edge of her thin pale pink panties, just barely brushing under them to touch her curls. Katsumi huffed in response, swatting his hand away. 

 

"This has nothing to do with him. I want to know how it felt." She kissed down his chest. "What noises he made and how it felt having him stretched around your cock. It will be like night and day for you going from me to him. I want to know what he does to you. I want to know how I can do it better." She pulled his pants down, allowing his erection to spring free. Shisui hissed, head falling back against the pillow. It was rare for Katsumi to take him into her mouth, and he didn't want to ruin the moment by staring.

 

"Always a competition for you," he smiled fondly and Katsumi smirked, tongue running down the length of his shaft, before wrapping her lips around his tip, swallowing him down as Shisui's breath hitched. She did not reply for a moment, instead focusing on him. She seemed unconcerned with being quiet, moaning as if getting off on having his dick in her mouth. She gripped the base of his shaft, eyes shut as she bobbed her head. Shisui held his arm over his mouth, not wanting to wake Itachi by being too loud. His toes curled, and he clenched his eyes shut, releasing a breathy moan as Katsumi's tongue swiped over his tip.

 

"Darling, you should know by now," Katsumi breathed, forcing Shisui to meet her gaze. "No one could possibly compete with me."

 




Katsumi was no fool. She knew about Shisui sneaking around with Itachi. Whether they had actually fucked or not hardly mattered. She wasn't sure when it had started or who had started it, but she was assured that it was a mutual attraction. It had been Shisui's reaction that really put things into perspective. He hadn’t denied wanting Itachi. She had made suggestive comments, looking for any weakness and she had found it. At first she had been terribly offended. Shisui was her husband; they were soulmates. Why would he even feel the need to kiss or look at someone other than her? It wasn't as if Itachi was some huge attractive threat. He was a gangly young boy while she was a beautiful and charming woman, as well as Shisui's wife. It didn’t make sense. There was that childhood bond and perhaps Shisui was feeling bad for his little cousin. Maybe he didn't understand his own feelings. Katsumi was grasping at straws.

 

She watched Itachi, trying to see what Shisui seemed to. She looked at his too thin lips and haggard appearance but found nothing that stood out. She looked at his hands, bony and weak looking for a shinobi. He was all wrong, almost like a child's drawing of what a person should look like. It wasn't his looks that had drawn Shisui in, that was for sure. This silly little boy was playing a dangerous game. Katsumi had wanted to be kind to him, had wanted to be understanding, but enough was enough. He was obsessed with her husband, knowing that he was bound to someone else. Yet, he persisted. He had willfully attempted to seduce her soulmate. She had one of two options. Immediately target Itachi as he deserved and call him out publicly. She could have ended it before it had even truly begun, or she could wait; she was after all, terribly busy with her work that she would be forgiven for having not noticed her husband's wandering eye. Shisui would be forgiven, he was after all the darling of the clan and the stress of the shinobi lifestyle could have made him susceptible to the allure of his best friend and closest confidant. All blame would be pinned on Itachi who had knowingly and willingly seduced a married man. She decided to simply watch and wait for them to misstep.

 

She began to push him into Itachi’s arms, a sacrifice necessary in order to ultimately draw him back in. She became short with him, letting her stress come out as she took more and more cases from work. "Shisui, I really don’t have time right now. Why don't you go see what Itachi is up to? I'm sure he'll be more than thrilled to hang out with you for a bit." It had been hard to turn Shisui away, harder to stay in her office, knowing that Shisui would be finding comfort elsewhere. Part of it was a distraction, a way for her to focus on something other than her likely unfaithful husband. It had been Inabi Uchiha who had confided in her how Itachi looked at her husband, how he followed him hopelessly, a bitch in heat presenting. Inabi had told her Itachi had had spent the entire two weeks she was gone in Shisui's house. What had occurred there was anyone's guess. Katsumi would be well within her rights to confront her husband demand that Shisui no longer see Itachi, but she hesitated. She was a practical woman and an opportunist. She could use this to her advantage. Itachi would eventually get his own soulmate and let go of his attraction to Shisui. Plus with her so focused on work it left little time to spend with Shisui. She had so much work to complete and at times found Shisui’s affection to be rather smothering.

 

Was he feeling neglected? He was a very touchy type of person, always leaning against her and offering affection. He was hurt by her emotional and physical neglect, lost like a puppy and not knowing what he had done wrong.Perhaps this would benefit both of them. Let him fuck Itachi and get that forbidden itch scratched. She was surprised when Itachi left the compound for his own apartment, thinking he had bowed out and given up on Shisui, but his absence from the compound only seemed to distract Shisui more.

 

So she invited little Itachi into her home, not sure if she was planning to rub her relationship with Shisui in his unfortunate looking face, or let bygones be bygones and move on. Then, Itachi drank and became embolden, liquid courage slowly stripping away that cold, composed facade, showing the ugly jealous truth hidden beneath. "You're such a sweet boy," she murmured. "I can see why Shisui always looks like he wants to eat you up." Itachi leaned against her, the wine making him relax. 

 

"He is welcome to eat me anytime he likes," Itachi replied without thought, and Katsumi chuckled at this, giving him a little squeeze as Shisui choked on his spit, mortified. "Oh, Shisui. We should keep him here."

 

Shisui seemed uncertain on what to do, but was relieved by Katsumi's reaction. He took Itachi’s glass, offering him an apologetic grin. "Think you're good for the night. I'm going to clean up," Shisui stood. "Why don't you guys keep at it." He  took the dishes into the kitchen to begin washing and leaving Itachi and Katsumi alone on the couch together.

 

"Come here, Itachi," Katsumi beckoned, "I wanna hug you." Itachi was not an affection person while sober, but drunk, he lost enough inhibition to not be weary. He scooted closer and Katsumi cooed, pulling him down onto lap, arms wrapping around his waist. She kissed the side of his neck, breath ghosting over his ear, feeling him involuntarily shiver. 

 

One of the great things about being part of the Yamanaka clan, you could fill silence without ever opening your mouth.



"I'm sure you would welcome him to eat you. I always admired that about you, Itachi. You’re always willing to take scraps, no matter how minuscule," her breath tickled the back of his ear, and she smiled as he tensed.  "Leaving the meals to your betters." She reached out to the coffee table, keeping Itachi firmly in her lap as she took her glass of wine. As long as she maintained physical contact, Shisui would be nonethewiser.  

 

"Is that why you wanted me here, tonight?" Itachi's voice echoed calmly in her head, only for her to hear. "To show off that you have him?"

 

"Darling, I always had him. It was destiny  My intentions had at first been hopeful of friendship," Katsumi sipped from her glass, stroking Itachi's side. "I truly wanted to mend the bridge between us. I was willing to welcome you into my home. But imagine my surprise when this morning, Inabi Uchiha tells me that you spent two weeks in my home with my husband and was looking at him like you were ready to present like a bitch in heat."

 

"You have no right-"  Itachi pulled away, scooting down the couch, but Katsumi was relentless. She could hear the tap running, Shisui oblivious to the argument going on.

 

"I have every right. You come into my home, try to seduce my husband than act like you're the victim. I won't have it."  She smiled at him, expression sweet, as perfect as she knew she looked. She knew Itachi was ready to bolt, to rush out of her home and leave Shisui reeling. Shisui had stressed enough about his wayward cousin. " You will not ruin my husband's evening with your inability to cope. You will pull yourself together. You wouldn't want to disappoint him now would you? Don't bother crying to him either; he won't believe you. Who would he believe? His wife and soulmate, or his little friend who can't seem to let go?"  Shisui stared at her, buzzed and on edge, but knowing she was right. He unclenched his jaw, mouth thinning unattractively before he nodded.

 

"Fine."

 

Shisui returned to the room shortly after and they put on a lovely show for him. "I know I haven't been kind to you, or had kind thoughts, but I truly want to be friends." Katsumi took Itachi’s hands in hers. "I know I've been possessive of Shisui and I know this has been difficult for you. But I can swallow my pride and admit that I was needlessly cold. I hope you can forgive me." She smiled at him, lips curled up into her most lovely smile that Itachi could never hope to compete with. He nodded back, forcing a smile of his own.

 

"Yes, and I'm sorry for my own behavior, it was cruel of me to project my own insecurities onto you," he took the words right out of her mouth. They had him stay the evening, and Katsumi went as far as to bring him to their bedroom, gauging Shisui's reaction. She hadn't been a shinobi for years now, but she never forgot her training or how to spot weakness, and her husband was weak for Itachi. In their bedroom, she was kind to Itachi, encouraging him to relax.

 

Shisui was watching her interact with Itachi with a soft smile. Like a proud father watching his wife tuck their child into bed. Katsumi offered him a little smile. She could be attentive to Itachi. She could show Shisui that she was warm and maternal under that cold exterior. "Here, let's get you out of those clothes." She pat Itachi's side to get his attention, motioning for him to lift his arms to allow her to pull the shirt over his head. 

 

He was a scrawny little thing, the outlines of his ribs just barely visible. He needed to eat more; Katsumi doubted he had a regular diet at home. Her eyes trailed down his chest, so childish and frail in comparison to Shisui’s solid strength. Itachi was quiet, seemingly putting his trust in Katsumi, even if only for Shisui’s benefit. It gave her confidence and made her feel a little stronger. Itachi's arms moved, awkwardly curling against his chest. Katsumi hummed, rubbing Itachi's bare shoulder. He leaned into her, his eyes large and dark. He knew how to act, she would give him that. She slipped the sleep shirt over Itachi's head, guiding his arms through each hole. Under that cold exterior, he was like a trusting child, allowing Katsumi to do as she pleased. There were shadows under his eyes, as if he had not slept well in a very long time. It must be hard to try stealing a married man and play victim at the same time.

 

"Shisui can you get him out of his pants? He shouldn't be sleeping in his street clothes." Itachi stood, working to unbutton his pants as Shisui approached, steadying him. He helped Itachi slip out of his pants as the boy smiled sleepily at him as they slipped down his thighs. Shisui steadied him as he stepped out of them. Katsumi watched, eyes trailing down his back. Unlike Shisui, who preferred briefs, Itachi wore more conservative boxers. His legs were long and scrawny, and very pale. Shisui was attentive with him, so caring for his beloved Itachi. Shisui smiled tenderly, cupping Itachi's cheek in his palm. Shisui was a good friend, attentive and caring. He slid some of his own sleeping pants onto him, cinching the waist so it wouldn't slip down his hips. Itachi smiled at Shisui and with the alcohol warm in his system, Katsumi could see how in love he was. How deeply he worshipped her husband, and when Shisui turned away, Itachi shot her a barely there satisfied smile, as if he were winning. She tucked him under the covers, feeling Shisui's eyes fixed on her as she stroked Itachi's hair back from his flushed face.

 

"Is it going to be a challenge then?"

 

"He loves me," Itachi smiled up at her as she stroked his face. "He very well might choose me instead. It is arrogant for you to think that you have him indefinately. I might be the one to take him from you." The power of alcohol was deafening. Katsumi only smiled. Shisui would grow bored; she knew how he was. Itachi was the forbidden fruit and once he had eaten enough, he would be done. 



"I welcome you to try."

 

Notes:

I also wanna emphasize that Katsumi has a point? Like, she's not wrong???

Chapter 16: Small

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

There were very few times in his life that Itachi ever felt small, ever felt as if he was floundering and uncertain in his standing and surroundings. Like he was the one being left behind, while others hurtled forward. Spending the night at Katsumi and Shisui's proved to be one of those times. Itachi knew that he should have gone home when he got the chance, leave the house while his pride was still intact. Shisui had been kind, making sure Itachi stopped drinking before he made himself sick. He never made Itachi uncomfortable on purpose, but still, Itachi felt as if he were intruding. Katsumi had seemed to warm up to him, offering him kind words and understanding. She was a gracious host and Itachi had begun to regret his cruel thoughts about her. He had begun to feel vile about his actions with her husband; It had been unworthy of him. He had a nice buzz going on, head heavy but he felt as light as air. She was affectionate and Itachi, despite his usual discomfort at being touched, was buzzed enough to not mind. He liked how warm her hands were and how gentle she was. He had allowed her touch, foregoing his usual reservations in favor of simply enjoying the peace. It was almost funny how quickly he seemed to sober up when Katsumi's voice had been in his head.

 

Katsumi had made her view very clear and Itachi had been forced to face some uncomfortable truths. He was not the victim in this situation and Katsumi's anger was justified, just as any reaction she may have. She had been gracious in front of Shisui, her war with Itachi silent and strategic. As she had helped him into their bed, her fingers had danced against his bare skin. "So soft," she mused, tracing just above the hem of his pants. "Like a baby. Do you have any hair yet, I wonder?" Itachi had been quiet, giving no indication that anything was amiss. He knew she was trying to put him in his place, to make him feel less. "Poor Shisui. It would be like fucking a child," she was kind, smiling and tender but there was a heated challenge on her eyes, a refusal to simply look the other way. "Why fuck some stupid, desperate little boy when he can have me?" She was playing with him; she and Itachi both knew that Shisui would not find out about their silent conversation. Above anything they wanted to keep him happy and this would remain between them.

 

He was thankful that Shisui had brought him to the couch and he had snuck out the door the first chance he got, his skin crawling. Katsumi had drawn a line in the sand and dared him to cross it. Itachi found that he could not.  In the days following his night at Shisui's, Itachi found himself taking extra missions. He looked for any excuse to distance himself from the village-and Shisui. It was a coward's move, but Itachi needed that space. He tagged along on a mission with Kakashi and Tenzo, relieved of the excuse to leave the village for an extended amount of time and avoiding Shisui in the days leading up. His time away from the village had really allowed himself to think critically; he could take a step back and think without worrying that Shisui or his wife would be just around the corner. He found himself not liking what he had become. This wasn’t him. Itachi wasn’t the type to allow petty jealousy to twist him like this; he didn't let himself be bogged down by emotion. Why was he doing this now? Why was he playing this game with Katsumi, knowing that he had nothing to prove and that he didn’t need to debase himself in this way? Was it the thrill of it all? There was a certain satisfaction that Itachi felt when Shisui would leave his wife in favor of him. That small twisted part of himself that enjoyed being wanted. It wasn't enough to continue though, Itachi couldn't let it be. It wasn't fair to him or to Shisui and Katsumi, despite seeming to be unfazed by Itachi's machinations, likely despised the thought of Shisui going to someone else.

 

He was going to end this. This had been foolish and childish of him to even entertain. He wasn't some hormone crazed child, he was a shinobi and he should think and act like one. He just needed to talk to Shisui, clear the air and move on. He loved Shisui and would die loving him, but he wasn't going to compete with his wife for his affections. Katsumi had won. There was no denying it anymore. She had Shisui and that was all there was to it. It was better to walk away with his pride rather than clinging to and begging for scraps of Shisui’s affection. It was pathetic, Itachi didn’t want to be that person. Katsumi knew she won and in all reality, why should she worry? Shisui was her husband and Itachi was...Itachi was nothing more than a distraction. If he expected Shisui to make a choice between the two of them, he knew Shisui would choose his wife, and why shouldn't he? He had a future with her; he had a life he could build with her, without having to keep secrets. His attraction towards Itachi was purely physical and driven by guilt. He didn't love Itachi. He loved Katsumi. If Katsumi decided to confront him about Itachi, he would choose her every time. 

 

It did not help that Kakashi seemed to suspect him. He had seen right through him, as if he knew what exactly Itachi had been doing. He looked almost disappointed in him. They had been on the border of the Land of Wind, Tenzo asleep as Itachi had taken first watch. Kakashi had approached him and sat down at his side, leaning against the tree behind him and gazing out into the distance. "I don't know what exactly is going on with you and Shisui, and it's none of my business, but I know you're smarter than this, Itachi. Don't do something you'll end up regretting later," Itachi had not responded, merely turning his head to study his former captain who did not look at him, his eye fixed ahead. Itachi wanted to ask how much he knew, or what he suspected, but his tongue was heavy in his mouth. He had only managed to nod, ashamed that he had turned into that person. He never wanted to be the type of person that someone like Kakashi Hatake could be disappointed in. 

 

He steeled himself, running through different scenarios in his head. When he returned back to the village, he finished the debrief, pushing away any distractions in order to complete his work. Tenzo had said his goodbyes in the locker room, looking ready to go home and get some rest. Kakashi had walked with him down the hall, never brining up their earlier one sided conversation. He didn't need to, his gaze seemed to tell Itachi all he needed to know. They went their separate ways and Itachi's resolve strengthen as he headed back to his apartment. That month away had done some good. Itachi needed to focus on his work. A soulmate that didn't want him would do nothing for him. Perhaps this was a good thing. Perhaps he wasn't meant to have anyone. It wasn't like he had much to offer anyone. He was a shinobi and he lived and breathed for the village. There was no room for anything else. Kakashi was alone and he was doing fine, maybe Itachi just needed to grow up a little; maybe, it was time for him to move on.

 


 

Itachi had not been on the couch the next morning, having left a note thanking them for their hospitality and that he had a mission that he needed to prepare for. Shisui understood how unpredictable Itachi's schedule could be and he did not envy him having to report for work with a likely hangover. He was away from the village on a mission that would keep him for nearly a month. Katsumi had managed to get some time off work and Shisui spent any time he wasn't busy with his own missions, at her side. She invited her own friends over and Shisui spent several evenings chatting with them over drinks. They were a friendly bunch, most of them civilians. It was amazing seeing Katsumi relaxed and being able to enjoy herself. It felt natural having that time together. They didn't bring up Itachi again, or work. It was finally time for them to be together, and be able to do things as a couple.

 

When the question about children had come up, Katsumi had laughed it off, placing her hand on Shisui's thigh and giving it a little squeeze. "I think our plates are a little full at the moment," she admitted, shooting Shisui a little smile. "Perhaps when we're in a more stable situation." It was the logical response and Shisui found himself unable to comment, despite his own thoughts. They hadn't discussed kids much, but Shisui had envisioned being a father one day, having kids of his own with his soulmate. He wanted to offer them a life he never could have had for himself. A life without clan politics or threats following their every move. He wanted his children to have a future that they could enjoy, a childhood not marred by war as his had been.  One day, he hoped to share that with Katsumi.

 

Days later, when Itachi returned during the early evening, Shisui found an excuse to go out to see him, Katsumi offering him a knowing smile and telling him to enjoy himself. He had snuck to Itachi's apartment and found the window over Itachi's bed, tapping it with his knuckles as Itachi had been settling down for the evening. Itachi turned and looked up at him, moving to unlock the window and push it open. Shisui slid inside, landing in front of Itachi. "Hi," Shisui greeted. The ceiling was angled and he had to tilt his head slightly to stand comfortably. Itachi's face was shadowed but his smile was visible and kind.

 

"Hello," Itachi replied softly. He looked tired, great bruise like shadows under his eyes and his hair stringy and disheveled. "You don't have to keep sneaking through the window." His supplies were sitting against the wall, still packed as if he had just walked through the door.

 

"I like sneaking in through your window," Shisui admitted openly, offering Itachi a pleased grin. "You always let me in." Itachi looked away, frowning as he seemed to ponder something. Shisui knew that look all too well and had become accustomed to seeing it. He hated seeing it on Itachi's face once more. He studied Itachi quietly, lifting his hand to lightly touch Itachi's wrist. Itachi's eyes darted up to meet his gaze, looking almost frustrated.

 

"Shisui-" whatever Itachi was going to say next was cut off in a surprised moan as Shisui pulled him into a kiss, an arm wrapping securely around Itachi's waist. For a moment Itachi remained tense, body rigid under Shisui's touch before he slowly relaxed and returned the kiss, reaching up to grasp the back of Shisui’s curls to keep him pressed close. For a long moment they remained tangled together, mouths working against each other as Shisui deepened the kiss. It had been a month; it felt right to be here like this. Itachi found that he couldn't think of a reason why he shouldn't kiss him. 

 

"I missed you," Shisui whispered, hands moving to cup Itachi's face, thumb stroking his cheek. His touch had always been tender and sweet; even as children, Shisui had always been so gentle with him.

 

Itachi's smile was small, but genuine. "I missed you too," he replied, placing his hand over Shisui's. Itachi seemed to lean into him for a moment, as if trying to press closer but then he blinked, hand dropping from Shisui's to fall at his side as he pulled back. "I really needed to see you."

 

"Yeah?" Shisui murmured, eyes dancing. "I'm glad I came then." He stepped forward, intent on pulling Itachi into a kiss, but Itachi stepped away, just out of reach. "Itachi?" Shisui frowned and Itachi ducked his head, fingers fluttering over his arm as he avoided Shisui's gaze.

 

"I'm sorry," he murmured, voice barely above a whisper and Shisui's frown deepened, openly concerned. 

 

"What's wrong?" He reached out for Itachi again, intent on touching him and offering him some comfort. It felt like too much, as if his very touch would take apart all of Itachi's carefully crafted walls. He had spent weeks preparing for this meeting. He stepped back again and in an uncharacteristic show of clumsiness he stumbled, feet seeming to fall over themselves and his back hit the low wall that overlooked the rest of the apartment below, teetering dangerously over the edge. Shisui's expression instantly morphed into one of raw panic and his hands shot forward, grasping Itachi by the elbow and steadying him. " Hey , be careful!" He breathed, pulling Itachi further away from the edge of the wall, turning him so that Shisui now stood between him and the open space.

 

Itachi laughed, thanking Shisui a little breathlessly, grasping at Shisui with desperate fingers. "I'm sorry, clumsy I guess," he avoided Shisui's gaze and the older boy frowned, still holding onto Itachi's arms as if afraid he was going to trip again.

 

"Itachi you're the least clumsy person I know, come sit down, you must be exhausted." Shisui ushered him over to the edge of the bed and Itachi gratefully followed, allowing the older boy to sit him down, hands gently moving down his shoulders, fluttering over him as if concerned by Itachi's uncharacteristic actions. Itachi wanted to assure Shisui he was fine and to tell him that their meetings had to end. He truly had it all planned out, but not it felt like a vague uncomfortable memory. He lay down on his bed, reaching out to cling onto Shisui's hand, his fingers curling over his possessively.  Where had his earlier determination gone? Now, seeing Shisui here again only had Itachi's resolve weakening. Shisui's expression was open in it's concern, tender as a lover.

 

"Stay?" Itachi found himself asking, grip tightening on Shisui's hand and Shisui had smiled, nodding.

 

"Okay." Shisui curled against him, hand moving to stroke his hair from his face and the look on his face was so kind, so genuine. Kakashi's words had faded to the back of Itachi's mind. His earlier resolve had crumbled and been swept away. Shisui's smile was kind and tender and Itachi could only lean into him for more. Shisui didn't love him, not in the way that Itachi would have wanted; Itachi understood this, but maybe this could be enough.

Notes:

Itachi has like five minutes of resolve and then Shisui's smile completely ruins it.

Chapter 17: Stay

Notes:

Shorter filler chapter

Chapter Text

Itachi slept for maybe an hour or so before waking to find Shisui still with him. They were lying on the bed, Shisui absently stroking his arm as he stared up at the night sky through the skylight. When he sensed Itachi was awake he looked over to him and smiled softly. "Hello you." He greeted, voice hushed as his hand moved up Itachi's arm to brush his hair behind his ear. "Didn't expect you to wake up yet." Itachi glanced at the skylight, seeing nothing but darkened skies. 

 

"Is it late?" He asked, rubbing his eyes and Shisui shook his head, pressing his lips against his temple. It was eerily quiet here. Itachi was used to the sound of birds and crickets back home in the compound, here it seemed so still. He wasn't sure what he thought or it, everything was so new to him. Sasuke had seemed thrilled at the prospect of being able to visit Itachi when he pleased, but eventually he was going to get older and likely grow bored with his brother and would rather spend his time with his friends training or with his soulmate, whoever they ended up being.

 

"Not really, only about 9:30," Shisui tilted Itachi's head back to press a kiss against his lips and Itachi smiled against him, returning the kiss. 

 

"Good," he whispered, kissing Shisui's jaw. "I wanted to be able to spend some time with you." Itachi's lips moved to nibble at his ear, pleased as he felt Shisui shiver against him. Shisui suddenly lifted Itachi, spinning them around so he was laying on the bed with Itachi straddling him. His curls fanned around his face and his dark eyes were sparkling in pleasure as he grinned up at Itachi, holding onto his waist. Itachi leaned down to kiss him again, tilting Shisui's head up so that he could deepen the kiss as he liked. His long hair created a shield around them, masking them as their mouths moved against each other, breaths mingling. Itachi could feel Shisui's growing erection pressing between his legs and he shifted his hips, grinding down against him, smiling as Shisui cursed, voice strained. Itachi pulled his shirt over his head, tossing it aside and swooping down to connect his lips to Shisui’s, thighs moving so he was flush against the older boy.

 

"C'mon," Shisui's voice was hushed and encouraging. Itachi rocked his hips, Shisui's erection sliding pressing firmly against his clothed ass. He could hear the hitch in Shisui's breath, feel the way his fingers flitted around his hips, attempting to keep a firm hold on him.

 

 "Shisui, please," Itachi didn't know what he was even asking for, but Shisui's glittering eyes seemed to darken at the plea. He reached down the front of Itachi's shorts, fingers wrapping around his hardening length. Itachi hissed, reaching to brace against the wall as he watched Shisui's hand disappear into his shorts. "Ohhh..." Itachi's voice was cut off into a breathless little moan and Shisui grinned, pleased by this.

 

"Come on," Shisui whispered, his fingers continuing to stroke Itachi. "Come on baby…" Itachi moaned weakly, hips rocking against Shisui who was pumping Itachi enthusiastically, watching his reaction with keen dark eyes. Itachi grasped at the wall with desperate fingers, his palm sliding down the smooth surface as Shisui's fingers expertly touched him.



"Shisui please, I'm...ahhh-" his breath cut off. "Shisui, I can't-" It was too much. Itachi tried to muffle his moans, despite no longer living with his family and not having to worry about Fugaku bursting through the door. It was almost funny how Shisui could remain fully dressed while having Itachi naked and coming undone with just his hand. Itachi came with a muffled cry, bending over Shisui who laughed in delight. His underwear was now sopping wet, clinging to his skin as he bonelessly slumped against Shisui, body trembling.

 

Shisui kissed his shoulder, sucking a bruise against his pale flesh. He swirled his fingers through Itachi's cum, spreading it across his skin like a child's finger painting. "How do you feel?" He asked softly and Itachi hummed, pressing sleepy, open mouth kisses against his jaw in response. Shisui maneuvered them so that Itachi was laying back down on the bed, head on his pillow. He slipped Itachi out of his wet underwear, setting them aside as he rested his hands on Itachi's hips, stroking his thumb over his skin, smearing cum in its wake. Itachi reached forward, intent on returning the favor but Shisui pulled back, snatching his wrist in a loose hold and kissing along his knuckles. 

 

"No," Shisui murmured gently. "Not that. Not yet." Itachi frowned in confusion. Shisui had always seemed enthusiastic before, why was he hesitating now? Did he think Itachi was only doing it because Shisui had touched him first? Itachi didn't know much about sex, and avoided those books that Kakashi was so fond if, but he understood the basics and he knew that Shisui was hard and likely would want to be touched.

 

"Shisui, it’s okay. I want to-" he began but Shisui just smiled fondly, hushing him.

 

"If in a few days, you are rested and still feel the same, then I will more than happily oblige, but I won't go any further with you this tired," Shisui replied sternly. "You need to get some sleep. I'm going to go grab a rag and clean you up, just stay here, okay?" Itachi nodded, offering Shisui a little smile. Shisui leaned forward to kiss his temple before moving to make his way down the ladder and into the kitchen. Itachi rested against the pillow, sticky and knowing he should feel gross, but enjoying it nonetheless. A few moments later, Shisui’s curly head popped over the edge as he climbed back into the bedroom. He crawled over to Itachi, a damp rag in hand. Itachi watched him in quiet contemplation, smiling as the older boy reached him and ushered him to scoot back. Shisui cleaned the mess on his thighs, running the rag down each leg. The rag was warm and felt nice against his skin.

 

"Will you stay the night?" Itachi asked as Shisui set the rag aside. "I have more than enough room here." Shisui hesitated, offering Itachi a fond look and reaching out to press his palm against his bare stomach.

 

"I can't. Katsumi expects me back," he explained gently.  “I’ll come by tomorrow? Maybe around noon?” Shisui offered and Itachi nodded sleepily.

 

"I'd like that," he reached for Shisui's hand and gave it a little squeeze. Shisui was looking at him with such open adoration that Itachi couldn't even be disappointed that he was leaving. He leaned up to kiss Shisui and Shisui returned it, cupping the back of his neck. Compared to what they had been doing earlier, this kiss was incredibly chaste and simple. Still, there was an intimacy to it that left Itachi breathless. Shisui pulled back, still holding onto Itachi as he offered him a parting smile.

 

"Goodnight, Itachi. Get some rest." Shisui whispered and Itachi nodded, laying back down and watching as Shisui easily scaled the wall and opened the window, turning to offer Itachi a quick salute before slipping out into the night.

 




Katsumi was awake when Shisui returned, curled on her side of the bed with a book in hand and a cup of tea on the bedside table. She glanced up as he entered the room, offering him a small smile as she closed the book and set it down. "There you are," she greeted softly. "I had wondered when you would be back." She held out a hand to him and Shisui approached, sitting down on her side of the bed and linking his fingers with hers.

 

"Sorry I was out late," he apologized and Katsumi waved him off. She was dressed in one of Shisui's old t shirts, and it hung tantalizingly down her collar. He stared for a moment, distracted by how relaxed and lovely she looked and the grin she shot him was pleased. 

 

"It's hardly late and I told you that you could go," she assured him, giving his fingers a little squeeze. "Did you enjoy yourself?" She glanced at him curiously and Shisui chuckled, falling back onto the bed with a little sigh.

 

"Yeah, nothing really happened. He was exhausted from the mission and I didn't want to push him into anything." There was only so much Shisui was willing to do with Itachi, the idea of pushing him too fast and too far felt wrong. He didn't want Itachi to wake up in the morning and hate himself or have any regrets.

 

"That's good of you," Katsumi hummed, reaching over to gently touch his hair, stroking it from his face. "Do you work tomorrow at all?"

 

"No, no missions until the end of the week. What about you?" Shisui closed his eyes in delight as she continued to stroke his hair, listening as she clicked her tongue, shifting so that Shisui could lay his head on her lap.

 

"Another late shift in the office, but I'm sure you can find something to amuse yourself with." Shisui could hear the amusement in her voice. He wanted to ask why she was okay with this, why she allowed Shisui to pursue Itachi, but he didn't dare. He wanted to keep her happy so that she would continue to allow him and itachi their time. He wasn't sure how she would react if she knew about Itachi's mark and he wasn't going to mention it. Hopefully, it never became a problem, and it shouldn't. Itachi had him finally and maybe that would be enough.

 

"Oh, I probably will," he agreed with a little shrug and Katsumi snorted, pushing him over onto his side of the bed.

 

"Go to bed, I have an early day and I don't want to go in looking like a corpse," Katsumi reached over and turned off the light on the nightstand, encasing the room in darkness.

 

"Yes ma'am," Shisui snickered, settling down under the covers. "Your wish is my command."

Chapter 18: Games

Chapter Text

Days passed and Shisui found himself at Itachi's more and more. He would rotate between Katsumi and Itachi, watching his wife for signs that she needed a break from him. Shisui would find himself staying at Itachi's for longer periods of time, sometimes pushing their boundaries and sometimes just talking. At some point Shisui had drifted off, waking up on the bed alone. He lay there for a moment confused before rubbing at his eyes and turning onto his side. It was still dark out, but Shisui wasn't sure what time it was. Itachi was no longer in bed with him, having woken up and slipped away without waking Shisui. Shisui could hear him rummaging downstairs. He peeked over the edge of the loft, watching as Itachi moved around under him, steps silent, as to not disturb Shisui. Shisui could see that he was organizing his gear from the mission, and he looked up, sensing Shisui and offered him a little smile that Shisui returned. "Have you been awake for a while?" Shisui asked, head resting against the wall. Itachi approached the ladder and leaned against it as he peered up at the older boy.

 

"Only a little while," he murmured, voice barely above a whisper. "It's 11 so you shouldn't be too late in going back home." He looked like he had cleaned himself up and the nap had given him a bit of energy. The nap had definitely done him some good.

 

"Do you want me to go home?" Shisui asked and Itachi hummed in response, glancing out the darkened window.

 

"What I want is irrelevant," he replied, turning back to walk away from the ladder. "But I hardly think your wife is going to appreciate you returning past midnight."

 

He was right, as usual. Still, Shisui couldn't help but feel as if he were being pushed out. He scooted forward, his legs dangling over the edge of the loft. "I could stick around a little...if you wanted," Itachi turned to glance back at him, fixing him with a stern look.

 

"Shisui, you know I would like nothing more, but we need to be smart about this. If someone sees you leaving my home past midnight they are going to be suspicious," Shisui deflated at this, but he nodded in agreement, heaving himself onto the ladder and climbing down to where Itachi stood, watching him. Shisui felt like a burden, to both Itachi and Katsumi. He didn't mean to, but between Katsumi and Itachi, it left Shisui feeling like he was going to disappoint one or both of them and that was the last thing he wanted to do. Katsumi deserved better from her husband and Itachi deserved actual happiness that Shisui doubted he was even giving him.

 

"Glad one of us knows how to be responsible,"Shisui teased lightly, reaching up to brush Itachi's hair from his face. Itachi leaned into his hand, smiling at him. His dark eyes were sparkling and tender, intimate in a way only Shisui had ever been allowed to see. 

 

"Thank you for being with me tonight," he murmured. "I'm glad you decided to stay." Shisui knew what he was really thanking him for; he hadn’t allowed Itachi to do anything he would regret in the morning. 

Shisui's cheeks suddenly felt warm and his hand moved down Itachi's throat to gently touch the necklace he had given him. Not for the first time he found himself wondering what things would have been like if his name had matched Itachi's. It felt so simple, yet here they were, forced into something secret while Shisui was married to another. Perhaps it would have been kinder for Itachi to never even have received his name, it would have given him freedom at least, rather than being permanently tied to Shisui. The idea of Itachi's mark having someone else’s name left Shisui feeling cold and he stepped closer, hand moving to cup the back of Itachi's neck as he pulled him into a sudden kiss. Itachi's breath hitched as he tensed for a moment, as if shocked before sinking into the kiss, a needy little noise escaping him.

 

Shisui’s tongue stroked over Itachi's bottom lip and the younger Uchiha easily opened his mouth, allowing Shisui to lead the kiss as he led everything. Shisui's fingers moved up to firmly hold the back of Itachi's head, tangling in his hair and earning a breathy moan as a reward. Shisui nipped at Itachi's lip, pulling back with a low pop as Itachi attempted to follow his lips.

 

"I'll see you tomorrow, Itachi?" Shisui whispered as he broke the kiss, fingers still grasping at his hair as he leaned back in order to meet Itachi's gaze. Itachi's lips were wet and pink, mouth slightly open as he breathed. He managed a small smile, his breathing shaky as he nodded in understanding.

 

"Yes," he agreed easily, reluctantly allowing Shisui to pull away. "Tomorrow."

 


 

Katsumi had always prided herself on being the smartest person in the room. She liked being one step ahead of everyone, watching as others stumbled while she soared. It had started at the academy as a child, she had been diligent in her work, obsessed with being perfect. Her instructors said she had a lot of promise and Katsumi had wanted to turn that promise into action. She hadn't managed to graduate as early as she would have liked, but it did not stop her from being the most advanced genin on her team. The two boys she had been paired with could hardly keep up and it seemed to please her sensei to see how effortlessly Katsumi outshined them. There was no room for female pride, it was simply Katsumi refusing to be anything less than extraordinary. She later found that more than she enjoyed her brains and looks, was that she enjoyed using them to get what she wanted in life. A little smile here, a pretty little laugh there, and people would fall over themselves to win her favor. She ignored the nagging doubts that whispered in her ear when she looked in the mirror. How her jaw was a little stronger than she would prefer, how her eyes were just a bit too far spaced to be perfect. Instead she focused on the good, letting her little insecurities fade away until they were nothing.

 

When eventually she had to retire as a shinobi she effortlessly made a place for herself elsewhere. She might not be able to be on the field, but that hardly meant she wasn’t valuable. She didn’t need to be the village’s shining weapon to make a difference and there was certainly more than one type of weapon. She would simply forge her own. Her little cousin Ino took after her in many ways and more than anything, Katsumi wanted to see her succeed. She had potential and as heir to the Yamanaka line, it fell to her to be the one to lead the clan into the future. She would need all the self assurance she could get. Katsumi refused to allow anyone to hold her back. Ino looked to her with admiration and Katsumi wanted to be someone that Ino could truly look up to. It would certainly make things difficult if certains rumors were to reach her ears.  

 

More than once, someone had noticed how close Shisui and Itachi were and for a while Katsumi had made excuses, brushing it off as simple friendship. It wasn't until she was spending the night with one of her friend's that she informed them of the arrangement.  "Wait...you're letting Shisui and Itachi..." Setsu was the first to speak up, frowning at Katsumi in concern. She was an average looking girl, in Katsumi's own opinion with mousy bluish hair and pale grey eyes that seemed almost translucent, but what she lacked in looks she made up for in intelligence.

 

"It lets Shisui burn off some steam and gives me a break," Katsumi shrugged, looking over her cards with a critical eye. "Once Itachi has his own mark it'll end and hopefully he'll keep his distance." They were spending the night at Setsu's apartment. She had the best views of the forest and was happily single. The poor dear had never gotten her mark and seemed unconcerned by the loss.

 

"If he gets his mark," Yui responded quietly. Yui was pretty, like something out of a fairy tale with her delicate features and large eyes. Katsumi didn't see her as much of competition however. She didn't put much effort into her good looks, her pretty red hair was cropped to her ears and she tended to wear clothes that were hardly flattering for her figure.    "Not everyone does." Katsumi suddenly laughed at this, delighted by the thought. 

 

"That's a good point. He is an odd little thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he never had a mark." Setsu frowned at this, shifting uncomfortably in her seat. Katsumi watched as Akemi folded, sitting back in her seat. Akemi and Katsumi had always been close, since the academy, both equally studious. Unlike the rest of them, Akemi was a shinobi, working as a Chūnin.

 

"A lot of girls think he's very handsome." Yui pointed out and Katsumi tossed her cards onto the table with a scoff. Itachi Uchiha handsome? Hardly. He was all scrawny disjointed limbs and pale skin and dull hair. It seemed his little brother had truly gotten all the looks and Itachi all the talent.

 

"A lot of girls are desperate for Uchiha cock and are willing to take some inbred brat, who likely can't get it up." She sneered and Akemi blinked at her in shock. They were not used to her speaking about someone with so much disgust, and it showed. Yui lowered her cards onto the table, watching Katsumi.

 

“If you dislike him that much, then why allow your husband to…” She trailed off, brows furrowing as she struggled to find the words and suddenly Katsumi felt oddly self conscious, as if she were being judged.

 

“Because it's better to let it happen under your watch than have it happen behind your back," Katsumi replied crisply. "Not to mention if Itachi steps out of line, it won't fall on me. Shisui will see that I tried to be flexible and Itachi is the one who refuses to budge."

 

"Katsumi, this isn't supposed to be a competition. You shouldn't have to jump through all these hoops to keep Shisui happy. You're his wife and soulmate, if you're not actually comfortable with this arrangement, then you need to talk to Shisui about it," Setsu spoke up, sounding disapproving of Katsumi's blasé reaction. "

 

"I think she's enjoying this," Akemi drawled, leaning back in her chair and meeting Katsumi's gaze with a knowing little smile. "I think she was getting bored with the monotony of married life and sees Itachi as another one of her games." Katsumi was unable to hide her own smile at this and she glanced at her cards. Akemi seemed to look right through her.

 

"What do I have to worry about?" She hummed, tongue absently darting out to lick her lips, finger lightly. "At the end of the day, Shisui can get his dick wet and return home to me." Yui and Setsu shared uneasy glances but Akemi continued to watch her, gaze unyielding as Katsumi lay her cards out on the table. "And when the time comes where I wish to leave Konohagakure behind for that position in Suna, it would only be fair that Shisui agree to my request after all I have given him." At this, Setsu turned, mouth dropping open and staring as Katsumi leaned back in her seat, smiling all the while.

 

"So that's your plan?" Akemi drawled, seemingly unfazed by Katsumi's confession. "Let your husband have his cousin for a side piece than demand he leave with you when you decide the time is right?"

 

"You make it sound like I'm the bad guy," Katsumi replied primly. "All I am doing is securing my own future as well as my husband's. It seems a fair deal, I give him an inch-"

"And take a mile," Yui muttered under her breath, sounding half impressed half mortified. Katsumi laughed, resting her chin in her palm as she offered Yui a fond smile, not even noticing as she lost her round.

 

 

Chapter 19: Truth

Notes:

Ayyye, things will be getting heated in this chapter.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

There were days where Itachi found he missed how things used to be. Before the marks appeared, before Katsumi, and before Itachi really understood that his feelings for Shisui went beyond friendship. There was simplicity in that time, even if he had many things to worry about with the clan. It never felt like too much because Shisui was always there at his side. Shisui was his one constant, his rock. Now, Itachi wasn’t so sure how things would go. Katsumi had given Shisui permission to spend time with Itachi but Itachi did not doubt for a second that it came with caveats that she hadn't divulged. Shisui never pushed for anything that Itachi wasn't comfortable with and for that Itachi was grateful. His Shisui was still there, even if married to another. He hadn’t lost him.

 

Weeks later Itachi found himself on a local mission with Kakashi and Tenzo. Being on missions with Tenzo was always nice, but as of late Itachi found that Kakashi was looking at him with more and more suspicion. If Tenzo had noticed the tension, he never mentioned it. When Tenzo had left to go to the bathroom, both Kakashi and Itachi had awkwardly remained at their posts. When Kakashi suddenly asked how Shisui was, Itachi knew that he was being confronted. "He's fine," he had simply replied. This was none of Kakashi’s business. None of this was. Kakashi nodded, that casual air about him suddenly feeling patronizing. He leaned back against the tree he was standing under, arns crossed.

 

"Yes, he seemed fine when I saw him sneaking out of your window last night." Kakashi drawled. "I figured that mark of his would keep him home with his pretty wife, but maybe those marks don't actually amount to much, hm?" Itachi blinked, not knowing what exactly he should say. He hadn’t known Kakashi was there, hadn’t sensed him. Was he too busy being distracted by Shisui to pay attention to his surroundings?

 

"For someone with no mark and no soulmate you seem awfully invested in them," Itachi bluntly replied, far ruder than he had ever dared to be to his taichou before.

 

"How could I not be?" Kakashi asked, choosing to ignore Itachi's tone. "Seems fascinating to me, losing that last bit of freedom you could have. It changes you," Kakashi shrugged. "You're stripped of any real free will and you're suddenly tied to someone you might not have even looked twice at before the marks showed up." He shifted, making himself comfortable against the tree as he watched Itachi. "Seems sort of mean spirited to try to come between that just because you're jealous. It's certainly not like you, Itachi." It felt like Kakashi was judging him, looking at the situation from an outsider's position and coming to the worst possible conclusion. From there, it felt like it was necessary to explain things to his former captain. 

 

"It's not what you think," he had managed to speak up, as Kakashi raised a skeptical brow at him. "I'm not simply chasing after Shisui because I'm jealous of his new relationship or anything." It felt necessary for Kakashi to know, to understand that Itachi wasn't simply being petty or vindictive. He hesitantly looked around, reaching for the edge of his pants as Kakashi looked at him, now openly confused. It had to be an odd sight, but it felt important to show him. Itachi lowered his pants just enough to show Kakashi the name on his skin, turning his hip to let Shisui's name be on display. Kakashi blinked, and narrowed his eye at the name before blinking again. 

 

It suddenly dawned on him.

 

"Shit," he muttered leaning heavily against the tree, uncrossing his arms and running a hand through his hair. "That explains a lot actually." He breathed out, eye darting back to Itachi, watching him closely, seeming to pity him and Itachi hated that more than the disapproval from earlier. 



"Shisui and I are…" Itachi awkwardly tried to find the right words. "We're figuring things out." He carefully righted himself, hiding Shisui's name. Now it felt like a bad idea. This had never been any of Kakashi’s business, Itachi shouldn’t have shown him, especially without consulting Shisui first. 

"By figuring things out, you mean he's having an affair with you while he's married to someone else." Kakashi replied,  unblinking. Tenzo had yet to return, but Itachi still felt far too exposed to be talking about the situation. This was a stupid idea. 




"We haven't…" Itachi began, feeling awkward to even be discussing this with his former captain. "Not yet." Kakashi suddenly looked disappointed in him and Itachi practically squirmed in discomfort.

 

"Itachi, I really think you need to step back from this. Shisui's married and what he's doing with you is unfair to you and his wife." His voice was kinder than it had been a moment ago, more understanding. 



"Katsumi knows," Itachi's mouth felt like it was full of cotton and he awkwardly cleared his throat. "She doesn't mind." Of course she didn't mind, she didn't think of Itachi as a real threat, just something to keep Shisui entertained while she went about her business.



"Then he can have his cake and eat it too." Kakashi looked openly disgusted at this, shaking his head. Itachi didn't want him to think badly of Shisui. Shisui was a good person and had made the best of a very unfortunate situation.



"It's not like that," Itachi quietly defended. "Shisui...Shisui truly cares for me." Shisui had always cared for Itachi. The one person besides Sasuke that Itachi never felt he had to hide from. "He was my best friend before all this, he's never done wrong by me before."

 

"Itachi, you have to know how bad this looks," Kakashi crossed his arms over his chest, leaning back against the bridge railing as he studied Itachi. "Katsumi Yamanaka has a reputation for being very controlling of her surroundings. She's likely allowing it because she can be in control." Kakashi explained. " Think , why would she suddenly support her husband having an affair with someone?" Itachi didn't reply for a moment. Kakashi’s concerns weren't news to him, he had wondered the same thing.

 

"She doesn't know about the mark." Itachi admitted and Kakashi shook his head. "She just assumes it will be a quick fling." Kakashi sighed, sounding exhausted.



"Which means she thinks that nothing will come out of it. The moment she begins to feel any bit of control slip, she will stop it and Shisui will listen, because he knows that in the end, he owes her for even allowing it in the first place" 

 

Kakashi was wrong. Shisui cared about him. It was more than just romantic love or anything like that. They had been through so much together, survived so many things. One woman wasn't going to be the deciding factor in years of friendship. Itachi wasn’t some naive teenager too blinded by lust to think straight. He and Shisui had a history, years of friendship. It would be like Kakashi and his friendship with Might Guy, something only they could truly understand. He didn't respond and when Tenzo returned, he was relieved to have an excuse to not have to speak to Kakashi again. Tenzo of course was none the wiser, and if he noticed the tension in Itachi’s shoulders and Kakashi’s pointed silence, he was far too polite to bring it up.

 

Itachi hadn’t asked for much in life. He had always done his duty and never wavered. Just this once, he had wanted to be selfish. Selfish in his love for Shisui. Kakashi was wrong about Shisui, which was what spurred him to invite Shisui over to his apartment two days later. He had showered and cleaned the apartment, almost manic in his goal to have the place as spotless as possible. When Shisui arrived, Itachi had met him at the door. Shisui had a bag of takeout in his hand and had beamed at the sight of Itachi.

 

"Hey," Shisui greeted with a little grin, eyes instantly taking in the robe Itachi was wearing. "Oh...uh...I like the robe."

 

"Thank you," Itachi replied with a small smile, ushering Shisui inside. "You didn't have to bring food." He closed the door behind him and almost vindictively hoping Kakashi was out there. He watched as Shisui set it on the counter, leaning back against the door. Shisui took the items from the bag and set them on the counter, glancing up to meet Itachi's gaze. 

 

"Yeah, but I know you don't tend to eat enough when you're on your own," the older boy argued with a knowing smile. "I got your favorite." Of course he did, Shisui was always good like that. Itachi pushed off the door and approached Shisui, his resolve hardened. Shisui watched him approach, gaze soft. There was a tenderness in his eyes, and it made Itachi feel safe. Even before the mark, Shisui had always been safe. The eye of a storm, always there at Itachi’s side. While the violent winds of betrayal and death swept around them, together they managed to navigate it.






The first thing that greeted Shisui when Itachi answered the door was the fact that Itachi wasn't dressed in his normal clothing. In fact, it wasn’t even clothing as far as Shisui was concerned. It wasn't as if the robe was small or flimsy or anything, it was simply unexpected for Itachi to present himself in anything less than his usual attire. Katsumi had been in an irritable mood as of late and had all but pushed Shisui out the door earlier. He had ordered Itachi's preferred takeout, knowing that Itachi didn't have another mission for the next couple of days. He had managed to avoid running into Tekka and Inabi who were very adamant about hanging out. Itachi of course always welcomed Shisui with open arms; Shisui never had to doubt that. There was something... off about Itachi, as if he were distracted by something.

 

They ate in comfortable silence, Shisui feeling more relaxed than he had in awhile. Itachi seemed content to quietly sit at his side, no expectations, no pressure. "You gonna tell me what this is about?" Shisui finally spoke up as he set his chopsticks down.

 

"Hm?" Itachi didn’t look up from his food, poking at a vegetable with his chopstick, it looked as if he had barely touched anything. 

 

"The robe? Not your usual attire." Shisui stretched out, studying Itachi who frowned, looking up from his food. 

 

"Do you not like it?" He asked, fingers absently moving to fidget with the necklace Shisui had given him.

 

"No, I think you look gorgeous," Shisui assured him, smiling easily. "It's just not your normal choice of clothing." Itachi was quiet for a moment, staring down at his untouched meal and Shisui frowned in concern, scooting over so he could get a better look at the boy. “Itachi? Come on, what’s on your mind?” Itachi set his plate down, absently running his hands down the robe as if to smooth it out.

 

“Where are we going with this, Shisui?” He suddenly asked, voice hushed. “I feel like we’re stagnant. You’ve been given...permission to be with me, but what exactly does that mean?” His eyes darted over to Shisui, mouth pulling into a grim, worried line. Shisui remembered that look from just a few years ago and seeing it again had his palms itching in discomfort.  “Is this going to be how it always is? You married to your soulmate and me just waiting in the shadows for when she fancies it?” 

 

"Hey," Shisui took Itachi’s wrists in a loose grip, watching him in concern. "Where did this all come from?" Itachi didn’t respond and Shisui sighed, thumb stroking over Itachi’s wrist.  “I told you before, this is all at your own pace.” Shisui replied calmly. “Katsumi is aware of it, and as long as we are discreet, we should have no issues.” It felt wrong to have to remind Itachi to remain quiet, he knew from experience that soulmate marks were sensitive, and could not even imagine how Itachi’s felt with his current situation. Itachi stood, striding away from Shisui, shoulders hunched defensively. “We can make this work, Itachi. You said yourself that your mark wasn’t hurting like it used to.” He watched the tension slowly slip from Itachi’s shoulders, leaning forward and resting his arms on the thighs as he watched the younger boy. “You just need to tell me what you need, Itachi. I’m not going to push for anything without your approval.” Itachi glanced over his shoulder at him and Shisui watched him. There seemed to be something going on in Itachi’s head and Shisui desperately wished he could understand what it was.

 

“And if I’m ready to push things between us further?” He finally asked, turning to face Shisui who blinked in surprise, nearly knocking over his empty plate. 

 

“Then I’ll gladly follow you,” he was surprised by how steady his voice was. “Whatever you’re willing to do.” Itachi seemed to consider this for a moment before nodding, his shoulders straightening. 

 

"Then I would  like to push things a little further," Itachi replied simply and slipped from the robe, letting it fall to the floor, pooling around his ankles as he stared at Shisui. There was no guessing what he meant and Shisui felt his mouth go dry.  "I want to sleep with you." How could such a sexually charged comment manage to sound so innocent yet wrong coming from Itachi's mouth? 

 

"Are you sure?" Shisui finally managed to ask and Itachi nodded, walking over to where Shisui still sat.



"Yes." He sank to his knees in front of Shisui, never breaking eye contact. "I want to make you feel good. Do you want me to?" He looked hopeful as he gazed up at Shisui, one hand touching Shisui’s clothed leg. Itachi was naked. Itachi was naked and kneeling at his feet, looking at him like he was the world. 

 

"Y-yeah." Shisui breathed. How could he say no to such a request? This seemed to be enough for Itachi who moved his hands up Shisui’s thigh. There was no guessing what he intended to do and Shisui quietly lifted his hips as Itachi unbuttoned his pants, tugging them down Shisui’s thighs, along with his underwear. Shisui was hard, and had been hard since Itachi had made that offer. His cock sprung free from the confines of his underwear, tip red and shining. 

 

Itachi took his time, his lips following his fingers' path. It was as if he was touching something precious, as if Shisui was precious. His mouth ghosted over Shisui’s thighs, pressing damp kisses against his skin as Shisui fought the urge to guide him towards his cock. Instead he watched, leaning back against the futon as Itachi made himself comfortable between his legs. Itachi kissed a path up Shisui’s thighs, fingers mapping over his flesh as if to memorize the feel of it. Shisui breathed out, fingers moving to grasp at the plush cushion of the futon, but Itachi reached out to take one of his hands, guiding it to the back of his head, allowing Shisui’s fingers to immediately tangle in his hair.

 

“Shit…” Shisui breathed, fingers tightening and Itachi lifted his eyes, offering him a little smile. The little shit knew exactly what he was doing. He pressed his lips to Shisui’s cock and Shisui jerked, breathing hitched as he watched the younger Uchiha. “‘Tachi…” Shisui managed to breathe before Itachi suddenly took him in his mouth, not giving Shisui even a moment. Shisui grasped at his hair, cursing under his breath and Itachi hummed, openly delighted by Shisui’s reaction. He ran his tongue down the vein and Shisui shivered, breathing ragged, fighting the urge to thrust into Itachi’s mouth and gag him. Itachi slackened his jaw, wet slurping sounds escaping him as he took Shisui deeper, testing how far he could take him. “Hal-hallow your cheeks baby, yeah...like that.” Shisui murmured, rewarding Itachi with a gentle stroke of his hair. Itachi pulled back, looking up to meet Shisui’s eyes,  an obscene string of saliva dangled between the tip of Shisui’s cock and his lip. 

 

"Would you prefer me to swallow?" Itachi asked, voice a little rough and the sight of him nearly had Shisui coming on the spot. 

 

"I-I want it...I want it on your face." Shisui replied breathlessly, a request he had never dared make to Katsumi, who likely would have balked at it. Itachi however seemed content with Shisui’s request, as if simply wanting to please him. He simply nodded and slackened his jaw, burying his nose in Shisui’s taut skin, bobbing  his head as he swallowed Shisui down deeper. Shisui heard him gag, eyes shining with tears and Shisui’s fingers tightened in his hair, thrusting his hips forward before pulling out of Itachi’s mouth and coming, as requested, all over his face.  Itachi closed his eyes, as if basking in it. Was this what his soulmark felt like? Being covered in his soulmate’s cum seemed enough for Itachi who pressed open mouth kisses against Shisui’s thigh, his face shining and wet. Shisui trembled, trying to catch him breath, fingers absently stroking through Itachi's tangled hair. "Shit...Itachi that was so good, you were so good." His voice was faint, weak in his own ears and Itachi  whimpered, a breathy whine escaping his lips, reaching down to stroke himself. There was something about seeing Itachi in such a state that had Shisui feeling satisfied, proud of his beautiful, brilliant cousin. "Come here," he beckoned, reaching to pull Itachi off the floor.

 

Itachi lifted himself up from between Shisui's legs, crawling onto his lap and straddling him as he kissed him, Shisui pulled him close, tasting himself on Itachi's tongue. His cock was pressed between Itachi's cheeks and he ground his hips up, desperate to gain some friction as Itachi moved hiss hips in time with him, eyes dark and gorgeous as he watched Shisui. Shisui praised him quietly, kissing him deeply, as if he could consume him completely.  "Please, Shisui," Itachi whispered, voice raw. "I want..." Shisui's cock pressed against Itachi's hole and Itachi seemed to be trying to take him in.

 

"Itachi, are you sure? We don't have to do this tonight." Shisui pulled back, taking Itachi’s face in his and forcing him to meet his eyes. "I don't want to push you into something you're not ready for." He wanted to, he desperately wanted to but he would not dare unless he was certain that Itachi was right there with him. He would never push for anything Itachi wasn't ready for. 

 

"I want to." Itachi assured him. "Please, Shisui." he was fervent, mouth slack and shining as he pulled him in for a kiss, accentuating each statement with another press of his lips. How could Shisui deny his boy anything? He gently pushed him back onto the futon,  pulling his shirt over his head, tossing it aside as Itachi reached for him, crawling forward and pulling Itachi into another kiss.

 

Notes:

So Kakashi's giving his opinion and maybe Itachi isn't thinking critically at this point and Shisui is just along for the ride.

Chapter 20: Firsts

Notes:

They fuckin'

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 In the darkness of Itachi's apartment  they had managed to stumble their way up the ladder and into Itachi's bed, practically falling over themselves in their haste. Shisui had been laughing against Itachi's lips, giddy and trembling as Itachi had taken his hand and all bug dragged him along. He pushed itachi back onto the mattress, the skylight offering just enough light from him to get a good look at the boy.

 

Itachi lay on his back, his long dark hair spread around his head. He looked sweet, splayed out as he was and Shisui offered him a gentle smile. "Hi baby," he whispered the endearment as if it were the most natural thing to him and Itachi seemed to enjoy hearing it, the tips of his ears tinged pink. 

 

"Hi," Itachi smiled shyly, his hands tucked against his chest. It seemed that blush went far, and Shisui wanted to follow it with his fingers and tongue. He moved forward, pressing down against Itachi as he kissed him, elbows balancing on either side of his head. There was a stark difference between Itachi and his wife.  While Katsumi had loved to be in control of every situation, Itachi's love language was letting go of his coveted control and baring himself to his lover. It was the greatest show of love and trust he could offer and Shisui would do whatever it took it be worthy of that sort of trust.  There was a sweetness in his submission; Shisui would protect that sweetness, that final vulnerability that Itachi had. He kissed his shoulder, lips moving to his neck, tongue pressing against Itachi's pulse, tasting the salt of sweat and the sweetness that was pure Itachi. His mouth left angry little marks against Itachi's flesh, proof that he had been there, that Itachi was his.

 

He knelt down, grasping the back of Itachi's legs and pushing him open, putting Itachi on full display.  His cock was hard and already leaking, the tip a deep pink; there was a light dusting of pubic hair. "You're so pretty, Itachi." Shisui breathed and he felt Itachi relax at this, as if the praise was enough to push away his insecurities.  "Pretty little ass with your pretty little hole." Shisui beamed at him, voice encouraging. "So pink and soft."  He could feel Itachi's eyes on him, silent and waiting.  "Can I kiss you here, Itachi?" He whispered stroking Itachi's skin, pleased at the ragged breath he released in response. His thumb barely grazed the rim of Itachi's hole, stretching him out, wanting to see everything. 

 

"Please, Shisui." Itachi's dark eyes were blown wide, an open and earnest desperation in them; desperation for Shisui. Shisui tore his eyes away from his hole to meet Itachi's eyes, offering him a pleased grin.

 

He lowered his head, pressing a broad swipe of his tongue against Itachi and listening as he released a breathy moan, toes curling. How many times had Shisui thought of doing this, of having Itachi spread out like this in offering? Before Katsumi, Itachi had been the only one he had those sort of fantasies about. What sort of noises would he make? Was he loud or quiet? It had always been Itachi, he had thought it would only be him, until Katsumi. Now, here he was, under Shisui like an offering and Shisui wanted to taste him, to be the only person who would ever see Itachi Uchiha like this. He swiped his tongue up, spreading Itachi's cheeks as he pressed his tongue against his hole. 

 

"Shi-oh my god-" Itachi's voice broke off, deep and wavering as his fingers clenched at his sheets, knuckles white. Shisui chuckled against him, tongue working inside with wet little noises. Itachi's leg moved, heels pressing against the mattress and Shisui held him fast, not allowing him to scoot away as he continued lathering his hole with attention. He could hear him breathing, shaky little noises that he was desperately attempting to keep under control. He was doing this to Itachi, he was making Itachi feel good. He pulled back, pressing his lips against his left cheek followed by the right. 

 

He traced his finger over Itachi's rim. "Is this hole mine?" He asked breathlessly, eyes darting up to see Itachi's heaving, pink chest. Itachi nodded wordlessly and Shisui nipped at his skin lightly: a warning. "Use your words, Itachi?" He instructed. 

 

"Yes," Itachi replied with no hesitation. "It's yours."

 

"No other boys or girls touch you?" Shisui teased, knowing that Itachi had never been with anyone else, but wanting that affirmation. "You don't have a line of lovers waiting to touch you here?" He pressed his thumb against Itachi's skin, staring at the shiny pink hole.

 

"Only-only you, Shisui," Itachi replied. "Only ever you." That was good. Shisui knew there was no one else, and would never be anyone else. Not with his name on Itachi's skin. There was reassurance in that, as well as guilt that he could not return the favor.

 

"Good boy."  Shisui's eyes strayed to the mark on Itachi's hip and he bent forward to press his lips against it. Like himself and Katsumi, Itachi's mark was incredibly sensitive to his intended's touch. Itachi sighed in delight, hand moving from the sheets in order to gently stroke through Shisui's curls. Shisui had come prepared, bringing a small vial of oil in the event that they would need it. Itachi of course, had nothing of the sort to use. He pulled back, even as Itachi's greedy fingers tried to pull him back, rummaging through his pockets until he found the small glass bottle, and popped open the cap.  Shisui coated his fingers in the lubricant, allowing a generous amount to spill into his palm. This was Itachi's first time and he wanted to be sure that he felt good. Itachi watched him, hair fanned out and cheeks pink, dark eyes fixed on him with a little smile.

 

Shisui's index finger sank in with no resistance, Itachi's hole stretching around him, rim pink and glistening and gorgeous. He quickly added a second, watching as they disappeared into Itachi’s hole, sucked in almost greedily. "My pretty boy with his pretty dick and pretty pink hole. Such a good boy." He crooned, smiling as Itachi whined at the praise, eyelashes long and dark against his skin. Shisui scissored his fingers wider, applied a bit more lubricant, pleased at the wet sounds they made  - and added a third one. He was trying to be gentle, but he was aching and Itachi was moaning openly, hips moving against Shisui's fingers, as if trying to take him deeper. Shisui could die happy here, finger deep in Itachi, listening to those little moans, just for him. 

 

"Hold yourself open," he instructed, voice husky as he poured more lubricant into his palm. Itachi was quick to do as he was told, mouth half open and lips pink and puffy from kissing. His fingers held his thighs, in place, watching Shisui from under his lashes. Shisui was of course, still hard and he coated himself with the lubricant, thumb stroking his tip, fumbling slightly in his impatience. Once satisfied, he tossed the bottle aside and crawled over Itachi, pulling him in for another kiss, aligning himself as Itachi moaned into his mouth. "You okay?" Shisui murmured between kisses and Itachi nodded, legs moving to wrap securely around Shisui's hips, keeping him in place.

 

"I'm okay Shisui, please..." How could Shisui deny his boy anything? He kissed him again, deepening it as he pressed forward and catching Itachi's pained moan in his mouth, murmuring soft praised as he sank in. He himself needed a moment to gather himself; Itachi was tight, sucking him in with as much greed and desperation as he had upon discovering his mark. Shisui buried his face in Itachi's neck, breathing out through his nose as he bottomed out, pressing intimately close. Itachi's fingers curled around the back of his neck, a trembling sigh escaping him. Shisui didn't dare move yet, content to remain pressed against Itachi's damp skin as the boy stroked his fingers down his shoulders. He was flush against Itachi, inside him. "I'm okay," Itachi finally spoke up, pushing Shisui's face so he could look in his eyes.

 

"You sure?" Shisui asked softly and Itachi pressed a kiss against the corner of his mouth.

 

"I'm sure," he confirmed.  "Move." Shisui laughed at the command, but did as he was told, pulling out and establishing a careful rhythm which Itachi seemed to take in stride, catching on like the prodigy he was, hips rolling up to meet Shisui's thrusts. The noise he made when Shisui dug his fingers into his hips to snap back into him with a slick squelsh was utterly sinful; Shisui wanted to remember that sound. He snapped his hips flush with Itachi's ass again, fingers leaving angry red marks on his skin. Shisui knew it would bruise, knew Itachi would see it later and think of him.

"You feel so good, Itachi." Shisui managed to speak up and Itachi responded with a breathy laugh, delighted. He was hard and leaking and Shisui was not a selfish lover; he took him into his grip, stroking him as he continued to thrust his hips, pleased at the strangled moan Itachi gifted him in response. 

 

"Shisui," Itachi breathed, voice trembling and Shisui kissed him, cutting him off as he fingers worked on his cock, wanting Itachi to be too immersed in pleasure to even think.  The light from the skylight cast a silvery light over Itachi and he was beautiful; more beautiful than anything or anyone Shisui had ever seen before. He knew he was close, but he needed Itachi to finish first, needed to be sure Itachi enjoyed this. It did not take long for Itachi to react, head tilting back and eyes clenching shut. His moans broke off, breathless gasps escaping him.

 

"Come on baby," Shisui encouraged him. "You gonna come for me, Itachi?" He could feel him tightening around him, hands moving to grasp at the sheets again. He came with a desperate cry, coating his and Shisui's chest and falling back against the mattress, clenching so perfectly, so desperately around Shisui's cock that his own orgasm immediately followed, cumming deep inside Itachi, hips moving in frantic, hard thrusts before collapsing over Itachi's limp body. For a long moment they lay there, quietly catching their breaths. Shisui's hand fumbled over Itachi's chest, feeling his frantic heartbeat against his fingers. His hands moved down Itachi's chest to his stomach that was coated in his cum, trailing his fingers down through the mess. He sat up, looking Itachi over. He was filthy, and he looked as if he was pleased to be that way, covered in cum. 

 

Itachi turned over, his flushed face pressed against the pillow and eyes fixed on Shisui.  Shisui’s cum was leaking from his hole and Shisui reached out, gathering what he could on his fingers and pushing it back into Itachi who moaned pitifully, legs spreading easily to allow Shisui access. Shisui wanted it to remain in him; he wanted Itachi to be full of him. He gathered some on his fingers and brought it to Itachi's lips, watching as they parted for him and he practically shoved them down Itachi's throat, but as with everything, Itachi took him effortlessly.  Itachi sucked the cum from his fingers, tongue wrapping around each digit.

 

"Do you taste yourself?" Shisui hummed, eyes fixed on Itachi as he sucked on his fingers, eyelashes clumpy and wet. 

 

"Mhmm," Itachi made an affirmative noise, enthusiastically licking Shisui's cum from his fingers, thighs spreading wide as Shisui reached down to gather more.  With Katsumi, he enjoyed letting go. He preferred to acquiesce to her demands and desires. But with Itachi, he wanted to watch him unravel, watch him crawl to him, completely loyal.

 

"Good boy," Shisui breathed as Itachi sucked his finger clean. He pulled him into a kiss, stroking his hair from his face and brushing the loose strands behind his ear. He lay back against the pillow, eyes closing, sated and pleased.

 

"Was it good?" Itachi suddenly spoke up, voice rough. Shisui peeked an eye open. Itachi's head was turned towards him, cheeks flushed and brows furrowed as he studied him. "You're not disappointed?" Itachi asked and Shisui huffed out a laugh, pulling Itachi close and pressing his lips against his temple.

 

"You could never disappoint me, Itachi." He assured him. "Are you sore?" He looked him over in concern but Itachi merely smiled. He looked tired, but happy, his hair a tangled mess and his skin dotted with bruises all in the shape of Shisui's fingers.



"A little," Itachi admitted, stroking his fingers through Shisui's hair as the older boy nestled his head against his shoulder. "But I like it. I liked...having you in me." Shisui's smile was tender and he entwined his fingers with Itachi's, kissing the back of Itachi's hand.

 

"Well, that's good," he replied earnestly. "Because I definitely think this will have to be a regular thing."

Notes:

That's all

Chapter 21: Dreams

Chapter Text

Shisui had been having dreams like this for a while now. Katsumi and Itachi together, with him. The three of them living as one happy family. It was always Katsumi who initiated, as if even in dreams Shisui knew that she was the one in control. Itachi however was always a bit…off. Muted in a way that always gave away that this wasn’t real. It was a naive and selfish fantasy, but it didn't stop the dreams.

He would lead Itachi to their room and Itachi would follow him, reaching out to grasp the back of his shirt. A child grasping at a parent for safety.

The door would open on its own and Itachi hesitated at the door, as if awaiting permission from Katsumi. She would always be waiting and relaxed; the very picture of control. Katsumi had no shirt on, lounging in the bed with the blankets pooled around her hips; a goddess among peasants. 

And like most dreams, sometimes it would change with a blink. Itachi stood naked in the bedroom. Katsumi circled him, looking him up and down, appraising what she saw. "Come here, Itachi." She beckoned and Itachi reached out as Shisui watched in silence.

She took his hand, her nails perfect, her skin flawless against Itachi’s bruised knuckles and knobby fingers. She sat down on his lap, hushing him when he seemed on edge. "Is this okay?" She asked, stroking his hair from his face and Itachi nodded. She shot Shisui a knowing smile before pulling Itachi in for a kiss, long nails grasping at him and the small noises that escaped Itachi were positively sinful

"Have you ever been with a woman before?" She asked, voice tender, a mother speaking to a small child. Itachi's voice was rarely audible, most times Shisui couldn't hear him at all. "Why don't you lay down? Come to bed with us," Katsumi suggested, her eyes never leaving Shisui's. He wasn't sure when he had reached the bed but the next instant he was there.

 Itachi turned, murmuring as Katsumi guided him to lay down, Katsumi humming, her hand moving through his hair, watching as his eyelids fell heavy. They crawled beside Itachi as he watched, quietly kissing and stifling giggles. 

"Oh just look at him, Shisui. He's a tiny little thing isn't he?" Even in his dreams there was a certain condescension in her tone that made Shisui uneasy. She tilted Itachi to face her and he smiled shyly, eyes clear. She kissed him gently, hand stroking down his jaw and fingers spraying across his throat. Katsumi's hand moved down Itachi’s waist and Shisui watched as she took him into her hand and for a moment, a flare of jealousy sprang white hot in Shisui's chest. He wasn't sure who it was directed at and he could only stare as Itachi let out a low moan, head falling back against the pillows.

Katsumi pressed forward, eyes fixed on her husband. Itachi remained sandwiched between them. Katsumi's breasts pressed against Itachi's side as she reached to pull Shisui into a deep kiss, leg moving to hook over Itachi's in order to touch Shisui.

"Don't you want to stay like this, Shisui?" She whispered against his lips. "Don't you want to stay?"

 


 

The next couple of weeks could only be described as blissful. Shisui was riding on a high that he doubted he would ever really come down from. If Shisui spent all his free time worshipping Katsumi then Itachi spent all of his doing the same for Shisui. When Itachi was not busy with missions or his brother he was quick to be at Shisui’s side. It was the power of soulmates, of the mark. There were no limits it seemed: If Shisui told Itachi to kneel, then he knelt. If he told him to prepare himself, then he did so, eager to please Shisui. Where was that prideful shinobi? That stoic, cold young man who refused to let anyone close? With Shisui he was different. He let go of his coveted control and pride, bearing it all to Shisui. Shisui felt powerful and he felt loved. He had always loved knowing Itachi relied on him, even as kids he had always liked being able to offer Itachi protection, to be someone he could lean on when the world always had so many demands. 

Still, there was part of him that could see beyond his own pleasure. He knew that this wasn’t fair to Itachi or to Katsumi. Itachi would always look to Shisui but never have what Katsumi had and Katsumi should never have felt obligated to allow Shisui's eye to wander. Logically Shisui understood that this was only ever going to end badly, but he couldn’t fathom a world without Itachi in or or a future without Katsumi at his side. Itachi was sweet. Under that somber exterior he was vulnerable and clung to Shisui in a way Katsumi never had and never would. He wasn't sure which he preferred. Itachi was normally so independent and capable that being the person to bring out such a weakness was both jarring and flattering. Would it jot be healthier to end things before it went too far, or likely was it already too late for that?

It was beginning to get late and Shisui had not moved from Itachi's side, far too comfortable in the nest of blankets as he felt Itachi quietly breathe against him. He needed to head back home soon, but Itachi's bed was too comfortable.

 Fingers traced idly over Itachi's bare shoulder, moving from one freckle to the next until Itachi turned to face him, hair tussled and pink welted bite marks on his shoulder. "Hey you," Shisui greeted in a sleepy voice, smile tender.

Itachi smiled back at him. "Hello," he whispered, voice hushed. "Are you heading out soon?" Shisui fell back against the pillow, releasing a little sigh, closing his eyes for a moment.

"Yeah, Katsumi will be expecting me back," Shisui confirmed."Don't want to keep her waiting." Itachi's smile wavered momentarily but he reached out to link his fingers with Shisui’s. They were cold in his grip and Shisui immediately curled his hand around Itachi's to offer him some warmth.

 "I have that mission with Tenzo tomorrow. I won't be back until sometime next week." Itachi reminded him, giving his hand a little squeeze before slipping from the bed, taking one of the blankets with him. Shisui watched him go, fingers idly drumming against the sheets.

"You got everything you need?" He asked, slowly sitting up and Itachi nodded, motioning to his knapsack that sat by the ladder, vials of healing oils and two scrolls were placed next to it, all labeled.

"I already have everything packed, you should-"

Shisui grabbed Itachi’s arm and pulled him back towards the bed, cutting him off. Itachi allowed himself to be pulled down, shooting Shisui an amused little smile as he was pushed back against the mattress, head tilting up as Shisui pulled him in for a kiss.

"I'm not done with you yet," Shisui teased. His tongue traced Itachi's bottom lip until the boy opened his mouth, allowing Shisui's tongue to press against his, following his lead as he always had. The sheet he had been wrapped in fell away and Itachi hooked a leg around Shisui's waist pulling him closer. Shisui could feel Itachi harden against him, reaching down to stroke him and listen to the breath that Itachi let out. 

The sheets were suddenly too much and Shisui impatiently tossed them aside, dragging Itachi down against the mattress. He pushed Itachi onto his back, grabbing his thighs and spreading him open, thumbs pressing against his flesh and squeezing. Shisui liked having him naked, liked being dressed and composed while Itachi was bare. Itachi stared up at him, his eyes impossibly dark in the dim lighting.

There was a wet, lewd sound as Shisui's fingers worked him open. Broken gasps escaped Itachi, his hips lifting as Shisui worked his fingers inside him, curling them just right. Itachi let out a breath, a stuttering noise escaping him that Shisui quickly hushed.

"Shhh, let me take care of you," Shisui urged, and Itachi nodded, mouth falling open as he panted. Shisui looked down at his fingers, watching as Itachi's hole greedily took them, seeming to swallow them. Pulling his hand free, Shisui grasped at Itachi's cheek before giving it a sharp swat, watching the flesh jiggle.

"Shisui…" Itachi moaned softly, his hand lowering to his hip and gripping, pressing him even closer, his leg lifting up towards his chest to spread himself for him.

"Tell me what you want, Itachi." Shisui whispered, his eyes fixed on Itachi's slickened hole, thumb moving to gently trace his rim.

"I want you." Itachi's breath hitched when Shisui took his erection in hand, pressing his tip against him. "Please, Shisui." When had Shisui ever been able to deny him anything?

They both groaned with pleasure as Shisui pressed in, Itachi's body still loose from earlier. "You like that?" He asked as he buried himself in Itachi, knowing that Itachi would say yes. Itachi nodded, his eyes closed.

Itachi had never particularly liked himself before, but the person he seemed to become these last few months made his skin crawl. He seemed to lose himself, turning into some degenerate when Shisui was involved. He had no love for Katsumi and his respect was shadowed by his distaste for her, but it did little to dissolve the guilt he felt everytime Shisui kissed him. Katsumi had given Shisui her permission but Itachi wasn't stupid. There was no way this could end well for any of them. 

Having Shisui with him felt right, as if meant to be. Perhaps it was the mark or perhaps Itachi was just naive. He wrapped his legs around Shisui, dragging him closer, not wanting him to leave again. Shisui's thrusts became more frantic, his fingers tightening as he pressed his face against Itachi’s shoulder. 

"Shit-" Shisui's muffled voice grunted out, shoulders tensing. Itachi could feel him come, vaguely annoyed that he would have to clean himself out before the mission. He brushed his fingers down Shisui's sweat slickened shoulder, lips pressing against his skin.

His breath came out in short little gasps. Shisui leaned forward and gently pressed his lips against Itachi’s. Itachi melted into the kiss, pressing closer and chasing Shisui's lips as he finally pulled away.

Shisui lowered Itachi’s leg and slipped out of him, some of his come dribbled down his thighs. He watched as Shisui rose from the bed, bending down to swipe up his discarded clothing. He felt used and dirty, and he’s going to go home to his wife. 

His wife.

Itachi knew that he had no right to be upset, that he was not the wroned party in this. It did not make howhe felt any different. "You be careful on your mission, alright?" Shisui turned to him, half dressed and hair mused. "Keep yourself safe." 

"I always am," Itachi replied and Shisui grinned at him. In the dim light, he looked almost ethereal. 

"I know," he admitted, pulling his shirt over his head and half heartedly fixing his hair. "I just worry." Warmth blossomed in Itachi's chest at this, as it always did when Shisui cast his gaze his way.

"A worried expression doesn't suit you," Itachi relaxed back against the mattress, smiling as Shisui turned an amused smile at him, tossing the sheet back onto the bed.

 


 

It was getting late and Shisui still wasn't home. Katsumi wasn't sure if she was happy about that or not. She had bigger things to worry about.

"No, no, no no…" Katsumi hissed, "Dammit," she stalked away from the test as if distance would undo the results, fingers twitching as she turned. They had been so careful. Shisui always wore protection and Katsumi had been adamant when taking her contraceptive. A child was not something she had planned for. She strode back to the little test, hoping that she had seen it wrong. Yet there it was, a little blue plus sign that shared the joyous news.

"Fuck."

 

Chapter 22: Advice

Chapter Text

Kakashi Hatake had never bought into the idea of soulmates. The thought that what little choice you had in life being predetermined for you never sat right with him. He wanted control of something in his life for once, without some higher power dictating it. Still, when he realized that he never would have a soulmate there was a definite ache. 

He watched his friends and colleagues receive their marks and fall in love with whoever they were destined for. It was lonely. There was no one at home waiting for him, no one he waited for. Just him, as always. Still, it was better than the alternative.

People underestimated how twisted those marks could really be. Perhaps because he never had one he was able to view it from an outsider's standpoint, or maybe because he didn't have one he just didn't understand. There was the dark side of it, how the mark messed with people's heads and turning once rational individuals into something else completely. It messed with your head, one day you weren't attracted to some stranger down the road and the next you had their mark and that person was all you cared about.

It was unfortunate that Itachi would be one of the ones negatively affected by the mark. Itachi Uchiha had the name of someone who would never love him. Not like he loved his own soulmate at least. The fact that Shisui was even entertaining this was ridiculous, and dangerous.

Shisui could likely walk away from this unscathed but Itachi's reputation was on the line. Once he would have understood that, now with Shisui’s blundering he thought he was in the right, and why wouldn't he? He had seen soulmates all his life, he knew that two soulmates were bonded by fate. As far as he wasn concerned, he had Shisui's name and Shisui had given him a sliver of hope. It was not going to end well for either of them, but Shisui was beloved in the clan. They would forgive him, while Itachi was a pariah. He wouldn't be given the same understanding.

The night Kakashi watched Shisui leave Itachi's apartment from the window he knew he couldn't just stand idly by. Someone needed to look out for Itachi and it seemed it fell to Kakashi. He had stood by the sidewalk, watching as Shisui easily slid from the window, putting his weight on certain roof tiles as if knowing which ones were weak. Why wouldn't he? He had snuck out of that window countless times. Itachi had gone out of his way to ensure he had a space that Shisui could go to, attempting to make himself more appealing by leaving the confines of the clan.

"Sneaking out, Shisui?" He called out as Shisui's feet touched the ground. Shisui shot him a lopsided grin, turning to face him with no hesitation or fear. 

"Spying, Kakashi?" He countered and Kakashi shrugged, hands stuffed in his pockets. A cool breeze passed by, the scent of fried food from the marketplace lingering in the air. He had lived here long enough to know what scents came from what stall.

"Noticed you've been sneaking out of his apartment quite a bit recently," his tone was unconcerned, posture even more so but he was watching Shisui carefully. "I find it a bit odd actually." He kicked at a loose pebble on the ground, watching it roll away.

"Odd?" Shisui's posture had shifted into something tense, something defensive. "Do share Kakashi, I know you're dying to stick your nose in other people's business." Shisui's tone dripped with condensation, almost mocking Kakashi for trying to confront him. Normally Kakashi wouldn't bother, would not get himself involved in something that didn't concern him. Unfortunately Itachi had no one else to stand in his corner.

"You should let him go. Let him move on rather than stringing him along while you go home to your wife every night." Shisui crossed his arms over his chest; there was no need to specify who he was talking about.

"It's none of your business." 

"Maybe not, but someone needs to stand up for Itachi’s best interests and it's clearly not going to be you." Shisui's jaw tightened and Kakashi pressed on. "You claim to care about him, and I know you're not stupid. In what universe would this end well for Itachi?" Kakashi studied Shisui, who looked away, grimacing as he stared at the wall opposite him.

"I don't know," he admitted after a moment. "But I'm not going to let him get hurt."

"I think the one who will end up hurting him will be you." Kakashi countered. "Even if it's not your intention." Shisui balked at him, momentarily affronted by Kakashi's accusation and Kakashi stared him down. He knew Shisui well enough, maybe not enough to be acquaintances but enough to read his body language. His shoulders slumped slightly, his defensive posture slipping.

Shisui's face fell, something akin to uncertainty filling his eyes. "I don't want to hurt him." His eyes darted up to Itachi’s darkened window.

"Do you think it won't when he realizes his feelings aren't reciprocated?" Kakashi demanded, careful to keep his voice low. Shisui's expression darkened, stepping towards Kakashi.

"What makes you think they aren't?" Shisui countered sharply. 

"Your wife at home," Kakashi replied blandly. "Hard to give your whole heart to another when you already have a soulmate waiting for you."

He watched Shisui's jaw work, only further cementing Kakashi's belief. "He's my best friend," Shisui argued as if it were the same thing. As if his love for Itachi as a friend could turn into anything deeper. "Don't stand there and accuse me of not caring about him."

"And you have him convinced he could be something more." Kakashi shook his head. "You know how that mark works. His logic is out the window because you gave him hope where there is none."

"We're making it work. Katsumi doesn't mind." It sounded like a weak excuse at best and they both knew it.

"Probably because she doesn't know the full truth." Katsumi likely minded very much. Why wouldn't she? Was she doing all this to save face or in hopes they would crash and burn on their own?

"And you do?" Shisui pressed, offended that Kakashi Hatake of all people was lecturing him, that Itachi had told him about his mark. "Whatever is between Itachi and me doesn't concern you."

"And when it all blows up in your face? What excuses will you use to justify cheating on your wife and taking advantage of your supposed best friend?"

"I don't know what Itachi has told you, but I'm done discussing this with you." 

"Mah, I'm only offering a word of friendly advice." Kakashi shrugged. "From the looks of it you need it."

"Go home Kakashi," Shisui turned away, his shoulders stiff in agitation. "I'm sure your empty apartment is waiting for you." He stalked off down the sidewalk, the back of his ears tinged red. Kakashi watched him leave, the shadows his only remaining company. 

 


 

Katsumi was pregnant.

 

It took time to process. She was pregnant; Katsumi was pregnant with her husband's baby's. A little human was growing in her and she was having trouble wrapping her head around it. Katsumi had put off telling Shisui immediately. She had plenty of opportunities, Itachi was gone on some mission which meant when Shisui wasn't working himself and Katsumi was home that they had more time together. They just seemed to go about their business, cooking together, doing laundry and enjoying each other's presence; there were no distractions or excuses. Still, Katsumi hesitated. She didn't want to shatter their rhythm, didn't want to have things change so suddenly. 

There was an air of peace between them; Shisui's smiles were tender and his eyes managing to make Katsumi feel content in a way she rarely ever did. They had just finished eating and she had been watching as Shisui put his supplies away, refilling bottles of healing oils and replacing old worn out blades with newly sharpened ones. He lived the left of a shinobi and that duty could take his life at any moment. He could die tomorrow, never knowing that he was to be a father. This was what finally had her blurting out the news and watching Shisui fumbled with his knapsack as he swiveled his head towards her.

"Katsumi?" His voice was soft, barely a breath as he stared at her, waiting for her to repeat herself. Katsumi absently brushed the material of her shirt, resisting the urge to grasp at it and dig her nails in.

"I was hoping to tell you in more…more appropriate conditions but I wasn't sure when would be the best time." There was no best time, not with their lifestyle. She could lose him any day and he could die never knowing.

"You're pregnant," he breathed, immediately reaching for Katsumi's hands and Katsumi fought the immediate urge to flinch away. She grasped at Shisui’s hands, hoping to get her trembling under control. "Shit, come sit down." Shisui ushered her to the futon and she practically fell on it, still clinging onto Shisui.

"You're not upset?" She asked, voice uncharacteristically small. They had discussed this, and had agreed that children could come later. Their lives were currently far too chaotic for any kids. Any trepidation that Katsumi felt melted at the sight of Shisui’s genuine smile. Part of her wanted to be frustrated with him, wanted to accuse him of hoping for a child despite their earlier agreement. A child hadn’t been on the table, that was what they both had agreed on. It was too early, they were both far too busy.

"Katsumi, why would I be mad at you? It's not like you alone made this baby." He grinned at her, thick eyebrows raising as ge attempted to make a joke.

She was embarrassed; she had been so adamant that Shisui wear protection and to take her birth control but now here was was, floundering and emotional and feeling completely out of her element.

"I know that," she quietly defended herself. "But I was the one taking birth control. I was the one who should have-"

"Don't even try that," Shisui's voice was warm. "We both did this and now we have to figure it out."

"Do you want me to have it?" She asked and Shisui was quiet for a moment. Katsumi stared stubbornly down at her clasped hands. Shisui's hand reached out, fingertips gently brushing over her wrist.

"This is all up to you," Shisui assured her. "If you don't want this baby, we don't have to have it. I know a baby wasn't in our cards this early and I know it's your body that will be impacted. I'll follow wherever you lead." Katsumi smiled at Shisui, leaning forward to press her forehead against his.

He was understanding, not pushing one way or the other as she feared he might and it took a weight off her shoulders. She breathed out, fingertips absently brushing down her husband's shoulder.

"Give me a bit of time, okay?" She asked, her fingers entwining with his and giving them a reassuring squeeze. "A week at least. And don't say anything to anyone." The last thing she wanted was for people to talk, or to approach her about a pregnancy that may or may not continue. He was understanding, letting her take the lead as always and once again she understood why this man was her soulmate.

"Of course," Shisui readily agreed. "Whatever you need." He was so sincere, looking at her like she was his entire world. Katsumi stepped forward, pressing her lips against his in a tender kiss.

"Thank you," she murmured, hand moving to cup his cheek. "Thank you." Her thumb stroked over his stubbled jaw, wanting to stay in this moment forever and Shisui beamed at her, his eyes loving and kind and everything she desperately needed.

For now it could be just them, and Katsumi was more than okay with that.

 

 

Chapter 23: Rage

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

There were so many things to prepare for and Katsumi still hadn't made her decision weeks after confessing to Shisui. She still wasn't showing so she wasn't worried about someone realizing but she knew she needed to make up her mind and fast. Shisui was busy on a mission for the Hokage, leaving Katsumi to her own devices. She finished work early in the afternoon and still had time before the academy released the students. She planned to surprise Ino and walk with her back home.

 

She spent her free time out at the local shops, avoiding the immediate urge to peek in the maternity store. It was too early for that and she still hadn't decided. Konohagakure's policy on terminating a pregnancy was more relaxed than it had been years ago, but they still had strict guidelines on when she could terminate. Katsumi walked down the sidewalk, offering a passing smile to some passing genin as they raced by her. Ahead, she spotted the building she had been searching for and quickened her steps, approaching the door and knocking. After a moment of waiting the door opened and Katsumi smiled.

 

"Itachi," she greeted warmly. "I had heard you were back from your mission."  His hair was pulled into his usual low ponytail and he looked tired, the lines under his eyes prominent and his nose and cheeks tinged red from the sun. Itachi blinked, stepping back to study her for a moment. He likely was shocked that she was willingly standing in his doorway. There might have been a silent understanding between them, but Katsumi had now pushed one of those barriers aside.



 "Yes, we all returned this morning." He was out of his uniform, dressed in civilian attire and looked to be freshly showered. They stood awkwardly for a moment before Itachi remembered his manners and bid her to come inside. It was a small apartment but perfect for one person. He didn't have much in terms of decoration but there were a few hanging plants and a drawing she assumed was doodled by his little brother.  The entire apartment was alight with the sunshine from the windows, giving it a homey and warm feel.



His reports and books were all neatly filed away, all labeled carefully, reminding Katsumi of her own filing system at home. She took the offered seat, analyzing the apartment with open curiosity. "Would you like some tea?" Itachi offered more to be polite than any actual desire to play host.



"Tea would be lovely," Katsumi replied, crossing her legs as she studied the apartment. The skylight overhead seemed to offer the most light in the apartment, sending rays of light down across the floor. Itachi took the kettle and poured her a cup, shoulders hunched in obvious discomfort. Katsumi pretended not to notice, idly bouncing her foot when Itachi handed her the mug and took a seat across from her.

 

"Shisui is out with a patrol heading towards Iwa," Katsumi explained, tapping her fingers against her mug. "There's been activity from smugglers that have now reached out borders."

 

"Yes, I heard." Itachi nodded. "It should be a simple reconnaissance mission." Her eyes settled on Itachi, studying him for a moment; he wasn't looking at her, eyes fixed out the window as his tea remained untouched in front of him.

 

"I know he's been rather bored with the last few jobs he's had, so I think he may enjoy a bit of time outside the village."

 

"He's always enjoyed more exciting missions," Itachi agreed. "Clerical work is definitely not his strong suit."

 

"I've seen him grumble over enough mission reports to agree." Katsumi lightly blew on the tea, watching the steam whisp around. "How are you liking it out here? Out from under the clan."

 

"It's different," Itachi said after a moment. "I suppose it will take some getting used to, but it's a bit of a weight off my shoulders." Katsumi could only imagine. The clan had always put too much pressure on Shisui and Itachi as well. Sometimes even Shisui would return home looking haggard and he never complained. He was loyal to his clan just as Katsumi was to her own.



"Your brother must visit often," she commented after a moment, staring down at her tea.

 

A small smile spread across Itachi's face, making him look younger. "Usually he comes by after he finishes with the academy. I'm tempted to just make a room for him here with how often he stops by."

 

Katsumi smiled back. "He would probably jump at the offer. Everytime I even hint at having Ino over for a sleepover she's ready to go." It was as if the girl had a sixth sense or something; that or she had a to go bag ready at all times. Itachi loved his brother, that much was clear. He wore the same smile Katsumi did when she spoke of Ino. He spoke with the same fondness and pride.

 

Itachi smiled again, setting his cup down. "I'm pretty sure he'd move in if he had the choice…but he belongs with the clan." There was no need for Itachi to continue on. Katsumi knew all too well that Itachi was hardly even welcome anymore. She hadn't dared ask Shisui about it and he had offered nothing in return.

 

"Do you miss it?" Katsumi looked down at her cup and Itachi was quiet for a long moment.

 

"It's gotten easier, but I suppose part of me will always miss them." It was the barest hint of vulnerability but Katsumi saw it all the same. She nodded, taking a sip from her cup.

 

"Sometimes that's part of moving on. You have to be able to let go." It was impressive that Itachi had been able to leave the clan behind, despite having been taught to do the opposite his entire life. Itachi inclined his head thoughtfully, his tea remaining untouched. The following silence was peaceful, no simmering resentment or discomfort. Just two people able to sit in peace and enjoy it. 

For a moment, Katsumi wanted nothing more than to be Itachi's friend. She wanted to reach out for his hand and assure him that letting the clan go wasn't a failure on his part. It was him finally finding peace and it took courage to move on. For a second, she could see what Shisui did, that serious exterior stripped away to something real.

 

Then she saw the thin chain peeking under his shirt and all that quickly faded away. Her hand darted forward and she wrenched the necklace out from under Itachi's shirt. "Where did you get this?" She demanded and it seemed to take a second for Itachi to realize the significance of the necklace. He at least had the decency to not lie to her.

 

"Shisui gave it to me," Itachi met her gaze unwavering. For a moment she considered wrenching it from his throat, to rage against him for wearing it. She stared at him in utter loathing, her mouth pinched into an almost unpleasant expression.

 

 She slowly released it, fingers splayed and mouth pinched as she stared at him. "I see…" Katsumi breathed. She excused herself, not bothering to finish her tea, feeling Itachi's befuddled gaze on her back.

 

She didn't remember returning home. Barely recalled walking through her door. The fact that Itachi Uchiha was wearing that necklace had Katsumi in a rage. What right did he have to it? Shisui shouldn't have given it to him, given him some false hope. In a rare show of self consciousness, Katsumi began to doubt herself.

 

It was just a necklace, it really shouldn't have bothered Katsumi like this, but it did. That necklace gave Itachi the bravado he needed to think he and Shisui had a real chance. That necklace meant that Shisui took him at least partially seriously. Did Katsumi's mark mean nothing if he was giving such jewelry to another.

 

Itachi couldn’t offer Shisui a secure future, he couldn't offer him the family he desperately wanted and deserved. She looked at her reflection in the mirror, turning to see a profile of her still flat stomach.



One child couldn't hurt.

 




When Shisui returned nearly a week later, Katsumi had to bite her tongue. She had kissed him with as much enthusiasm as he did with her, and had listened to him talk about his work with genuine interest. Still, in the back of her head she stewed. She had lasted until dinner that evening to confront him.

 

"You gave Itachi that necklace you found," Katsumi commented as she handed him his bowl and Shisui took it, nodding his head as he settled back in his chair.

 

"Yes." Shisui didn't have the decency to look embarrassed, was he really that blind to what he had done?

 

"Why?" Katsumi asked as she sat opposite him. "You mentioned it was a family heirloom." She watched as he took a bite of his food, seeming to not be concerned by Katsumi's complaints.

 

"It was never actually worn by our family, just kept in our possession." He replied after a moment. "Itachi will always be important to me and it felt right that the necklace go to him."

 

"Felt right that-" Katsumi scoffed in astonishment. "Are you joking Shisui? That necklace wasn't some toy you hand off to your little friend! It should have remained here, with us."

 

"The necklace wasn't meant-" Shisui looked up in frustration, pushing his food aside. 

 

"You might as well have invited him into our bed." Katsumi breathed as she stared at her husband. "Did you fuck him in our bed? In our home?" He was giving him jewelry, probably telling him how wonderful he looked in it.

 

“I haven't but if memory serves, you were fine with offering that when he had dinner with us." Shisui's tone was cold, his eyes however were burning and staring at her like two hot coals.

 

“Because I would have been there!” Katsumi slapped the table as she stood, practically looming over him. "You can’t sit there and pretend this doesn't mean anything!"

 

"Katsumi, you were the one who gave me permission. You were the one who encouraged me to go to him when you were busy. He and I enjoy our time together but it doesn't mean-"



"Oh please...can he even perform, Shisui? He's so inbred I'm surprised he can even see straight." It was a low blow, one that should have been beneath her, but in her frustration she could bring herself to care about etiquette. It was obviously the wrong thing to say.

 

"Don't you dare speak about him like that!" Now Shisui was standing and Katsumi was no longer his wife, but someone who had dared speak out against his precious Itachi.

 

"Like what ? Like the cheap whore he is? He's willingly bedding a married man in the home of-"

 

Another smack landed against the table. "We never came here! That was your rule and we followed it!" Shisui snarled, "You planned for me to go to Itachi so you wouldn't have me interfering with your precious work. You can't act like this was an excuse to have me out of your hair."

 

"He must just lay there like a dead fish or something, tell me, husband , is his hole better than my cunt?" The words seemed to rip from her throat before she could stop them and Shisui’s grip on the chair tightened to the point where it cracked loudly through the small kitchen. 

 

A long silence followed and Shisui closed his eyes, breathing softly as Katsumi stared at him, torn between righteous fury and fear. "I'm done discussing this with you," he finally spoke up, his voice carefully even. "It's obvious that you're too upset to talk like an adult. He swiped up his bowl to throw it away as Katsumi sank back into her seat. They had never fought like this before.

 

"Why not save it for me or one of our children?" Katsumi argued, voice small. "The last thing we need is for someone to see that necklace and start asking questions."

 

"We don't have kids." Shisui replied in a clipped tone, before stilling. He looked over his shoulder to meet Katsumi's gaze. "Katsumi?"

 

She pushed her bowl away, hands clasped in her lap. "I want it," Katsumi whispered. "I know it's earlier than we had anticipated and we have so many things to consider, but I want to have a child. Your child. I'm sorry I acted so rashly, I know it was low of me to-"  Shisui moved, hip soundly striking the edge of the table but he barely seemed to feel it as he moved to Katsumi's side. He was on his knees in an instant, 

 

"It's okay," he assured her as he took her hands. "It's fine, no harm done." He kissed her knuckles, resting his cheek against them and Katsumi leaned down to press her forehead against his curly head. Her long hair fell forward, contrasting perfectly against Shisui’s. They would be perfect; beautiful children from beautiful parents.

 

"Do you want this baby?" She asked and Shisui nodded, lifting his head to smile up at her, his eyes shining.

 

"Yes," he whispered, reaching up to cup her cheek. "I would like them very much."

Notes:

So much drama

Chapter 24: Enough

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

With Katsumi’s blessing, the first person Shisui approached with the news was his auntie. As a known gossip, it would be no time at all before the news got out to the rest of the clan, which would save Shisui a bit of time. Auntie always had a way of stirring up drama when she got bored, but was also one of the best people to talk to about anything. Katsumi had gone to her own clan to let her family hear the news. They had decided against some huge announcement, finding that it would be too much at once. Besides, it gave Shisui the opportunity to see Auntie beam at the news, half about the baby and half that she was the first to know.

“I had wondered when you’d have little ones running around this place.” Auntie’s smile was delighted as she leaned back in her chair, hands folding on her lap. “Oh, I always knew you would make an excellent father when the time came.” Warmth blossomed in Shisui’s chest at the compliment and he beamed at her.

“Well it looks like about eight months from now,” Shisui replied as he tinkered around her home, pouring her a cup of tea. “Then you’ll have your hands full.” Auntie chuckled at this, accepting the offered cup with a nod.

“If they take after you I most certainly will.” Shisui could remember tearing through this very house as a little kid, with a still ancient but somehow less ancient Auntie teasing his parents about him. It was still something that brought a smile to his face. The very thought that soon his own kids would be in this house, running around and playing had Shisui’s chest feeling warm.

“Let’s hope they take after their mother then.” Shisui somberly replied as he sat on the chair across from her. Auntie chortled again, leaning back in her seat and cradling the cup in her hands.

“You’re going to be very busy. It’s difficult enough with one shinobi for a parent but I imagine Katsumi’s schedule will be just as hectic.”

“We’ll make it work.” Part of Shisui wondered what exactly the plan was going to be. He doubted Katsumi would suddenly want to stop with her work, but Shisui wasn’t sure what the protocol was for shinobi with new kids. It wasn’t something he had ever really thought of before? Was he given time off for the baby, or would it be expected to fall to Katsumi? 

“And Itachi?” Auntie’s voice went up in pitch, almost like she was teasing him.

“Itachi?” Shisui looked up from his cup at Auntie who was watching him closely, fingers drumming against the table. “What about Itachi?”

“You and I both know of your little rendezvous with Itachi. My question is, what will happen now that you are going to be a father?” Her chair creaked as she moved, settling back against the worn cushion with a little sigh.

Shisui hadn’t really thought about that.

“Why does anything need to change?” Shisui shrugged, quickly turning away and fiddling with his glass. He heard Auntie scoff at him, leaning forward in her chair and setting her cup down.

“Shisui, I have always known you to be a smart and caring young man if noy sometimes a bit sanctimonious, but never a willfully ignorant one.” She fixed him with a stern glare, thick brows knotting together. Her scolding had Shisui’s face flushing in shame. For a moment he sat in silence, grasping his cup so hard he was afraid it would crack.

“I-...I don’t know what to do,” Shisui finally admitted. “But Katsumi is fine with our arrangement, she encouraged it. But I can’t imagine she will want me to continue once the baby is here.” At this, Auntie released a huff of exasperation, turning her head to look at her cup.

“Do you think it wise to have your little affair when you have a family to care for? Is that fair to your wife or to Itachi?” Auntie coughed into the crook of her arm. “You are only prolonging the inevitable. It is obvious you love and value your wife and you will not leave her, so why torment Itachi by letting him hope you will choose him. Why not let him move on and find his own happiness?”

Itachi could never move on from Shisui. Not really; not with Shisui’s name branded on his skin. It was like he would always be in the wings, waiting for something that would never be there.

Shisui took a sip from his cup, barely tasting it. “I don’t know what to say to him. I know I need to end things, but I don’t want to hurt him.” He stood, placing his cup down. He could feel Auntie’s eyes on him. "Katsumi's pregnant, this isn't just about us anymore. We've got a baby coming and I know I have to grow up and stop treating everything like a game.”

“The Shisui I know is no fool. He knows when to step up and do what needs to be done.” Auntie let out a huff.

“I know…I shouldn’t have even let it get this far. Kakashi was right," Shisui found he couldn't meet her eyes. "I've been selfish," Shisui murmured, eyes still out the window to the quiet street. "I was so afraid of things changing and of losing Itachi that I willingly dragged him into this mess and risked losing my wife. It's not fair to either of them."

Auntie's smile was uncharacteristically gentle. She reached out, her weathered hands taking Shisui's to give them a reassuring squeeze. "Sometimes growing up means having to make difficult decisions." Her hand was small in his, but strong as she kept his in her grip. “I trust you will make the right decision.” 

 


 

Itachi was sitting at his desk when Shisui came to him that evening. He watched him peek in through the front door, surprised that he wasn’t going through the skylight as he usually did. "You're early." He commented. "I was just finishing up some of my reports." He turned back to the paperwork, writing something down as Shisui hesitated at the door, watching him.

Hunched over his paperwork, with his hair messily pulled back, Itachi looked at ease, strangers of hair curling against his cheek. Shisui wanted to reach out and touch it, to tuck it behind his ear. "Take your time." He murmured, shuffling from foot to foot. "Have you eaten yet? I can make you something." He offered and Itachi shook his head.

 "Oh, no I'm alright,” he assured Shisui without looking up from his paperwork. He pushed a small plate of pastries towards Shisui in offering and Shisui slowly approached, peering over Itachi’s shoulder to watch him write. He signed his name on the document after scanning one final time. Shisui glanced at the clock. Katsumi was likely on her way home. Shisui wanted to pick up some takeout for them. There was a place near the district that they usually liked to go on date nights and if Shisui left early enough he might beat the dinner rush.

"You seem distracted," Itachi commented as he finally set the files aside. "Is something on your mind?" Shisui’s eyes lingered on the necklace; the very thing that had nearly caused so much trouble. At Itachi’s question, Shisui blinked.He had been ready to burst and he couldn’t contain the excited smile that spread across his face. 

"Katsumi's pregnant!" Shisui crowed, flopping down beside Itachi and taking the offered pastry with an excited little grin. Telling his closest friend that he was going to be a father felt like such an important milestone. He couldn’t even manage to sit still, bursting at the seams. A little girl? Or a little boy? It hardly mattered. A baby was a baby and he was going to be a father.

Itachi’s smile slipped away. He stared at Shisui in stunned silence for a long moment, before seeming to catch himself. "Congratulations Shisui," Itachi managed with a weak smile, "You're going to be a wonderful father." And he was. Shisui was going to be amazing, any child would be lucky to have him as a father. Katsumi was lucky to have someone like him for their children. He watched as Shisui stood, striding across the room

Shisui was practically bouncing off the walls in his excitement, moving from one foot to the other as he told Itachi about the announcement. “Obviously the baby won’t be here for a while, but we’re setting up a nursery next month. Katsumi went to tell some of her friends and family. Neither of us wanted one of those awkward public gatherings with everyone watching us, so we figured we’d tell a few important people and let the news be shared that way.”

Itachi was barely listening to what Shisui was saying. Katsumi was pregnant. Katsumi was having Shisui's baby. Suddenly Itachi felt dirty, as if he was somewhere he shouldn't be. He felt like he was intruding. He looked at Shisui, studying his expression. Shisui was smiling but there was a tension in his shoulders, and he was fiddling with his ring, twisting it around his finger.

“I’m happy for you, Shisui.” He assured him. “But that’s not the only reason you came here, is it?” Itachi leaned back against his desk, letting it support most of his weight.

Shisui’s smile slowly slipped away and he cleared his throat, nodding. "Guess I never could keep secrets from you, could I?” He laughed without any real humor and Itachi continued to watch him until Shisui looked down at his hands, clearing his throat. “Itachi. I…"He dragged his hand down his face. "I need to end things between us. With a baby on the way, I have to really buckle down and be there for her. No more distractions.”

“I see.”

This hadn’t been something Katusmi told him to do, or even Auntie. Shisui had to grow up and decide what was best for him and his family. He couldn’t keep doing this to Itachi, even if he knew this would hurt him. Itachi would move on, Shisui just had to let him go.

“Katsumi wants to make this marriage work and I already messed up a lot...I have to try...she deserves that at least." It was a mature decision. Shisui was thinking things through and it was the obvious choice that he would choose his spouse and child. It did nothing to lessen the hurt though.

“I suppose I understand.” Itachi’s voice sounded hollow in his own ears. Shisui offered him a small, hopeful smile, fighting the urge to touch his shoulder.

“I knew you would. You’ve always been great, Itachi.” A fool. That was what Itachi felt he was. He really shouldn’t have been surprised. He had been warned this might happen. He had only ever been temporary. "We can still be fri-" Shisui began but Itachi would not hear it. Those words had no place in Shisui’s mouth.

"No." Itachi shook his head and Shisui stared at him in open confusion. Honestly, it had surprised Itachi that he actually said it.

“No?” Shisui repeated as if the word was foreign to him. “I don’t understand.”

 "I can't Shisui. I won’t. I won’t just be friends with you and pretend that's enough. If you want to end things with me, fine. I will respect your wishes, but I cannot go back to how things were. I refuse.” He wasn’t going to train with Shisui and laugh with him, knowing that Shisui would never look at him as he looked at his wife. Shisui’s loyalty was to his soulmate, Itachi understood that, but he refused to act like his mark was nothing.

“Itachi-” Shisui stepped forward, as if to reach out for him. Itachi moved to step back but the desk kept him from getting any further. He released a breath, reaching to steady himself as he met Shisui’s eyes, posture straightening into something becoming of the former Uchiha heir.

“You have a family to think about now, Shisui. I will not stand in your way of that, but I won’t play pretend. Not even for you.” As much as it hurt to say, it felt necessary. He couldn’t let Shisui keep doing this to him. He wouldn’t let Shisui run back to him when things got hard, and refused to let Shisui use him like that only to return to his real family once he was done pretending. 

“So what, we’re strangers now?” Shisui couldn’t help but snap. “Years of friendship now mean nothing?”

“Yes,” Itachi replied simply. “It has to be this way.”

“It doesn’t though,” Shisui ran a frustrated hand through his hair. “We can still be friends, things don’t need to change. I still love you, I still care about you and want you to be in my life. In my children’s life.” Itachi was always meant to be with him in some capacity. He was never meant to turn into a stranger. 

“I still have your name etched on my skin,” Itachi reminded him. “Friendship will never be enough.” He stepped away from Shisui, making a beeline for the ladder as Shisui followed him like a lost puppy. 

“Itachi-” 

"No! I do not want to hear it. I’m not doing this. I love you so deeply in my bones that the very thought of breathing, of existing outside your company burns me," Itachi breathed, eyes dark and glistening as he stared at Shisui, grasping the railing of the ladder to keep himself upright. It's never going to be enough. My love for you won't ever be enough. I can't love you into loving me.” Shisui reached out for his shoulder and Itachi turned, knocking his hand away.

“I still love you, Itachi. It might not be the kind of love you want, but it doesn’t make it any less important! Why can’t we try Itachi? I know it will take time, but-” 

"Because I can't, Shisui!” Itachi hisses, involuntary tears spring in his eyes and stunning Shisui. “You may be able to move on and let go but I do not have that luxury. I have nothing to move on to. I’m stuck here. I don’t get to move on.” 

“Itachi…” Shisui’s voice was small, unable to finish his sentence. 

“Go home Shisui,” Itachi turned away, grasping the ladder with a white knuckled grip. “Your wife is waiting for you.” The silence in the room was deafening. Even the usual ambience from the street seemed to have gone quiet. 

Shisui closed his eyes. Part of him wanted to continue to argue, to force Itachi to see reason, but hadn’t he already done enough damage? Hadn’t he already hurt Itachi enough in one lifetime. In that moment he hoped Itachi’s mark would fade completely, or a new name would appear and replace Shisui’s own. Let Itachi move on, let him find happiness on his own or with someone new.

“I’m sorry, Itachi.” He spoke up after a moment. “I wish things could have been different.”

“So do I.” Itachi agreed softly. Shisui watched as Itachi lifted his hands to his neck, fingers searching for the clasp of the necklace.  

“No-no please don’t,” Shisui reached to grab Itachi’s arm and stop him. “The necklace is yours. Please keep it, Itachi. Please.” He pulled Itachi’s hands down, fingers curling over his. They were cold, why were his hands always so cold? Itachi slowly pulled his hands away, not meeting Shisui’s eyes. He nodded stiffly and Shisui squeezed his shoulder, tempted to cling to him and stay for a little while longer. "I have to get back home now." He slowly released Itachi, fingers trailing down his collar. Itachi backed away, nodding stiffly to the door. He didn’t meet Shisui’s eyes, staring resolutely at the wall.

"Goodbye, Shisui."

 

Notes:

This isn't the end...it's actually the beginning of something I guess. But yeah, drama everywhere.

Chapter 25: Gossip

Chapter Text

The next few months were spent preparing for the baby. What diaper brands were best? What blankets would be most comfortable? Was it best to breastfeed? Shisui had so many questions and he felt like he was running out of time. Perhaps he was going a little overboard with baby planning, but someone had to do it. Katsumi was still working, after assuring Shisui for the fourth time that she was pregnant not invalid. She left the decorating up to Shisui, instead more interested in looking into a new maternity doctor and preparing meals that would be healthy for the baby; a healthy and happy mother meant a happy and healthy baby.

Shisui had bought probably every variation of rattle he could find at the local baby boutique, even a small kunai shaped one despite knowing Katsumi would be annoyed by it. Izumi had even knitted little booties for the baby and Katsumi had nearly fallen over herself when she saw how cute they were, then denied it vehemently when Shisui tried to tease her about it later. 

"Can the baby feel it?" Shisui asked one evening as he and Katsumi were settled in bed, Shisui already under the covers and watching his wife read. 

"Feel what?" Katsumi glanced up from her book, her bangs falling across her face. She was glowing, which she did even before she got pregnant but now she was practically pure sunshine. 

 

"You know…it…when we're…" Shisui’s eyes moved down his body, eyebrows raised and it didn’t take long for Katsumi to catch on, releasing an amused sound. 

"Oh Shisui, don't be ridiculous." Katsumi snickered, whacking his arm with her book. It had started as a joke, but Shisui genuinely did not know if that was even a thing to worry about. Sexual education was hardly important to the shinobi lifestyle. Katsumi never answered his question and when he had felt brave enough to ask Inabi over drinks one evening. The man had roared in laughter at him, advising him to read a book or something.

“Man, they really don’t teach you kids shit, do they?” Yashiro sighed with a shake of his head. “Doesn’t really prepare you at all for it. Hopefully you’ll have a boy. They tend to be less of a handful.”

“I really don't care about gender. I'm just excited to have a baby." Shisui explained for what felt like the ninth time that night. No one seemed to believe him, if the looks they were sharing had anything to say.

"All parents say that but they always hope for one over the other," Tekka replied before glancing over to Fugaku who had joined them. “Like, you ever wish you had daughters instead of boys?” Fugaku looked bewildered by the question, setting his sake down and frowning for a moment before finally shaking his head with a huff.

“No. Daughters would have been wonderful, but I wouldn’t change my boys for anything in the world. Honestly, I was just pleased to have two healthy children.” Fugaku replied and Tekka sighed, calling him a spoilsport. They invited Shisui to join them for drinks again next week, but Shisui planned to add stencils to the nursery. Besides, seeing Fugaku only made him think about Itachi. He wasn’t supposed to do that.

Part of Shisui quietly wondered if he was just using preparing for the baby as a way to avoid thinking about Itachi. He had respected his wishes, allowing Itachi to keep his distance, not wanting to hurt him further. Still, it felt like there was an Itachi sized hole in his chest, that Katsumi, even as his wife and soulmate could never fill. Painting helped keep Shisui occupied, he wanted the baby to have a safe and warm space. He spent hours painting little ducks on the wall, careful with every little detail, wanting everything to be perfect. It made it easier to ignore the fact that he would have loved to have Itachi help him. Itachi was surprisingly good with kids, not that he went out and sang showtunes for them or anything, but a lot of Sasuke’s classmates seemed to have taken note from him and always were excited to greet Itachi when they saw him. Luckily, Itachi was patient with the questions and chatter; he would have been great to work with.

"Do babies like bright colors?" Shisui asked as he looked over paint swatches. He heard Katsumi sigh behind him, likely weary of the endless questions. 

"I don't think they care one way or the other." She replied, tone dripping with amusement and Shisui glanced over his shoulder to grin at her.

"So a bright orange room?" he suggested and Katsumi shot him an unimpressed glare.

"No."

 


 

Itachi's sixteenth birthday was approaching and Mikoto had been dropping not so subtle hints about him needing to go on dates. She had seen how lonely he was, and it broke her heart knowing that the person he had been meant for would never be with him. Itachi had tried assuring her that he was perfectly content, but Mikoto seemed to see right through him as she did everyone. One evening while Itachi was over for supper, Mikoto had tried to slyly bring it up as they prepared the meal.

"It's not as if there are many options, mother." He reminded her as he helped chop up mushrooms at the counter.

"I know," Mikoto hummed in acknowledgement. "But there's got to be someone out there without a mark you could meet." She glanced over to where Sasuke was hunched over the table, working on his schoolwork. “Maybe I can start looking around. There’s certainly got to be some attractive man for you to spend time with.” 

She smiled slyly at him and Itachi fought down the immediate urge to scoff at her. “I don’t think there are any around.”

“Oh, I bet there’s one or two.”

"If you're talking about Hatake Kakashi-" Itachi began and Mikoto giggled in response, something he hadn't heard her do in a long time.

"Oh, you're much too young to date him." She replied before thoughtfully tilting her head. "Although he is handsome."

"Mother!" Itachi hissed, "In front of your husband?" He indicated to Fugaku who was reading the paper and not even listening to the conversation. Sasuke had, and was scowling at the pair in obvious disgust. 

"I'm married, not dead." Mikoto defended herself, going back to chopping up the cucumber and checking to see if the grilled fish was done cooking. “He’s got such a nice bone structure…”

Mother!”

“I think Nii-san is too good for anyone.” Sasuke spoke up suddenly and Itachi shot him a grateful smile. “He’s definitely too good for some old weirdo.” Fugaku turned a page, trying to hide his own grin. Sasuke had met Kakashi a couple times and seemed determined to scare him off which was more amusing than anything, but luckily Kakashi was unfazed by an angry mini Uchiha heir telling him to keep his weird books to himself. Sasuke had decided to place the blame squarely on Kakashi everytime Itachi had to leave the village for a mission.

“Well be that as it may, I want you both to one day find your own happiness, soulmate or no soulmate.”

“Nii-san can be my soulmate,” Sasuke stated matter of factly. “Maybe it will get those girls in class to stop trying to talk to me.” Fugaku chortled, turning the page as Mikoto fixed him with a stern glare.

“I am glad to see my entire family has such romantic souls,” she muttered, swatting at Itachi’s hand when he tried to steal a slice of cucumber. 

 


 

In all honesty, Katsumi had not expected Shisui to end things with Itachi. She might have hoped he would, but she hadn’t planned to make any demands of him. It had been a relief when Shisui had come home that night and assured her there would be no more distractions. What was even more surprising was that Itachi Uchiha had effectively ended their friendship all together. Katsumi had expected Itachi would remain Shisui’s shadow for as long as possible, but it seemed he had enough pride to know when enough was enough. It meant Katsumi no longer had to see him in Shisui’s company, Shisui no longer spoke about him and since he didn’t live in the compound, she barely even saw him unless in passing.  

Life went on, Katsumi continued to work as well as prepare for a new baby, carefully watching her stomach in the mirror. She was both elated and dismayed when she noticed her stomach growing. She was terrified of giving birth, even more so of what it would do to her body. She worked hard to maintain her figure, something she prided herself on and now this baby was going to undo all her hard work. She had already spoken to one of the doctors about getting back into shape once the baby was delivered. 

She had picked up vitamins to help with joint pain on her way to work, stopping by to say hello to Ino before she left for the academy. Ino was visibly excited by Katsumi’s pregnancy, taking it upon herself to inform her schoolates that she would be an honorary auntie. When Katsumi had made it into the office, she was so focused on getting to her desk and starting, she hadn’t even noticed the way some of her coworkers were looking at her.

She had a deadline for the next building project blueprints next week and she wanted to get everything squared away and prepare for her presentation. There were still some last minute items she needed to look over and her contact in Suna was already so patiently waiting that Katsumi didn’t want to delay her any more than she had.

Katsumi,” She heard Yui hiss and she glanced up, offering her a friendly smile.

“Good Morning Yui,” she greeted before returning her attention to her workstation. “I can have the blueprints done by lunch today if you want to grab a bite to eat.”

“Katsumi, I think we need to talk.” Yui knelt down by Katsumi’s desk, glancing over to where one of their coworkers was openly watching them, shooting her a disapproving glare.

“What’s on your mind, sweetie?” Katsumi asked absently, frowning as she looked around her desk for a pen.

“People have been gossiping, and-” Yui brushed her fringe from her face, leaning forward to keep her voice low.

“Don’t tell me this is just some gossip, Yui. Can’t it wait until later?” She picked up a pen, scribbling on the paper and tossing it aside with a huff when it didn’t write.

“Not really. It’s got to do with Shisui and Itachi. Apparently Shisui was seen sneaking out of Itachi’s place a while ago.”

“Shisui hasn’t been to Itachi’s in months,” Katsumi replied without looking up, focusing on her spreadsheet. “He’s ended things with Itachi. It’s over now.” She wasn’t worried that Shisui was sneaking off behind her back, he was busy with work from the Hokage or preparing the nursery. The only time he did go out for anything else was to drink with some friends and the clan. Itachi Uchiha had made great efforts to avoid running into him. She remembered some of the clan had noticed Shisui’s attachment to Itachi, but that had been easily brushed under the rug. She finally found a reliable pen and placed it by the paperwork. 

“Yes, but it’s just now getting around. “He was seen leaving Uchiha Itachi’s apartment multiple times in the dead of night.” Yui hissed. “This isn’t some fun little secret anymore. He was seen and people are talking.”

Katsumi went still. “What people?” She asked softly. Yui licked her lips, reaching to lightly touch Katsumi’s shoulder, feeling her tense slightly.

“Well, Isamu from finance mentioned that he had overheard Hatsu who works at the academy that someone mentioned seeing Shisui leaving Itachi’s apartment late at night several times…Katsumi, most of the office is speculating as it is.” Yui informed her and Katsumi lifted her head, glancing around the office. As she did, several heads quickly ducked behind their workstations. This was not meant to become public knowledge; Shisui had ended things, it shouldn’t have even been news anymore. She breathed out, certain her face must be melting with how flushed she was. 

“I’ll take care of it,” she finally said with a forced smile. “Whatever everyone thinks they saw, they were very much mistaken.” It felt like her teeth were going to crack, her grip on her pen tightening and Yui watched her in concern, even when Katsumi returned to her work, pretending she was not there.

 

Chapter 26: Victorious

Notes:

I have a poll on Twitter for engame pairing thoughts.

https://twitter.com/Micrenelle/status/1553009200149708807?t=kPz0ynOM6IaNYgz9d881-g&s=19

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

With these rumors spreading quickly, Katsumi could only try to keep her chin up. No one had dared approach her yet, but she had walked by Mikoto Uchiha earlier and her gaze had lingered on her for a moment too long. Mikoto, much like Itachi, was good at keeping her emotions in check. Katsumi had no idea what she could be thinking. She knew she needed to speak to Shisui about this. It was his mess and he needed to play damage control. Still, the disgusted or pitying looks she had anticipated were instead looks of curiosity and confusion, as if they didn’t know what to make of her. As if she was some lab experiment to be examined. Could they know that she had allowed Shisui to wander? If that was the case then she needed to get everything fixed quickly. 

She confronted Itachi first; if anyone would benefit from smearing Katsumi’s reputation it was him. He was out training grounds, just finishing up when she approached him. He was sweaty, hair pulled back messily and scratches on his bony knuckles. Katsumi had to brush away her own disgust at the sight of him, and the confusion on what Shisui saw in him. She instead put a placid smile on her face and walked over to him as he slung his bag over his shoulder.

“Itachi,” she greeted, nose wrinkling at his smell. “I had hoped to talk with you.” Itachi didn’t even give her the satisfaction of reacting at the sight of her. He watched her, dark eyes beady and cold.

“Yes?” He asked, tone cordial and polite, but Katsumi could just taste the undertone of annoyance. 

“It’s about Shisui-” Katsumi began only to watch as Itachi turned away from her and began to walk away. “That’s mature Itachi, I am trying to have a discussion with you.”

“There is nothing to discuss.” He replied without looking at her. “Now I would suggest that you leave, I doubt you should be exerting yourself in your delicate condition.” He sounded half amused and half disgusted by her and that was too much for Katsumi. If anyone should be disgusted, it should be her. She had allowed Shisui and Itachi so many liberties, while providing for Shisui and having to give up her own clan for him. She had given up enough and she wasn’t going to let Uchiha Itachi judge her.

“I’m pregnant, not cripple and I believe you owe me five minutes at least. I have been more than accommodating for you” Itachi stopped walking, shoulders tense.

You’ve won,” Itachi replied coldly. “He chose you, he wants you. There is nothing to discuss about it.” Part of Katsumi almost felt bad for Itachi, in all fairness he was not to blame for all of this, at least not everything. His tone, while cold, held a touch of brokenness that had Katsumi taking a breath before she said something she would regret. 

“You’re obviously still in love with my husband.” Katsumi stated calmly. “And I wanted to let it go. I understand you and him were close as children and I respected that, but he is my soulmate and my husband and about to be a father. You need to understand that whatever childish fantasies you have are never going to happen.” Itachi could very well get his own mark, and it was unbecoming to act like this for someone he wasn’t even destined for. Katsumi was doing this for his own good as well as her own.

Itachi turned, studying Katsumi. “He didn't even know you until your name appeared on his skin. You would have remained nothing to him, he would never have looked your way. He's known me for years. I was his closest friend, his confidant. You can’t take that away, even with all your supposed charm. It doesn’t change the past we had or the fact that you gave him your blessing to pursue me.”

"I thought he would grow bored of you once he had his fill,” Katsumi admitted as she gazed across the field.

"But he didn't,” Itachi replied tersely, “You kept pushing him away until he came to me.”

Katsumi pursed her lips, something ugly crossing her normally lovely features. "Do you think I enjoyed telling my husband he could fuck someone else? Do you think I relished in the thought that the man I married, my soulmate, found someone other than me to be worthy? It was humiliating, but I bit my tongue, because I knew in the end it would be worth it. In the end, he would always come back to me, he would always choose me.”

Itachi was done with this discussion, he wanted to leave and forget she had even darkened his doorway. “Shisui and I aren’t even friends anymore.” He argued. “I don’t know why you bothered coming here.” He turned again, walking back towards the village and Katsumi followed after him.

“Because the fact of the matter is that you’re still in love with him and everyone knows it.” She argued and Itachi had the audacity to let out an amused chuckle.

“Ah yes, the new rumor circulating.” As they walked,a gust of wind passed through the field, the grass swaying in the breeze. Itachi lifted his head, watching the leaves in the trees rustle and content to ignore Katsumi.

“Yes! Shisui was seen leaving your apartment through a window. How do you think that’s going to make him look? Or you for that matter?” She moved to catch up with his long strides. “Aren’t you the least bit concerned about what people will say?”

“I have had people spreading rumors about me for years,” Itachi shrugged. “What’s one more?”

“You might not care about what people say or think about you, but I don’t have that luxury and neither does Shisui. We have a family to think of, and I can’t have something like this getting in the way.” Itachi glanced over his shoulder to look back at her. 

"You only want the baby to keep him." Itachi replied. “You knew he wanted a family more than anything and you knew if you gave him one he would be completely loyal to you.”

Katsumi stopped walking. “Keep him? I already have him, Itachi.” She replied with an exasperated laugh. "Besides, would it be the first time a relationship was brought together by a child? I did what I had to do to keep my family together. I wasn’t going to let some spoiled clan brat get in the middle of my marriage just because he couldn’t stand being told no.”

Itachi was again reminded how much he hated her. Hated how she just waltzed in and stole Shisui away. Hated how she won over everyone around her with a sweet smile and kind words. She was perfect in the eyes of the clan. A beautiful, kind hearted woman who matched with Shisui. No better match could have been made. Itachi faced her, chin lifting as he fixed her with a haughty expression he had seen his mother and father wear during meetings.

 “It sounds like you’re self conscious to me. I’ve already let Shisui go. I’m moving on, maybe it’s time you do as well. Unless of course, I managed to strike a nerve.” This very sentence seemed to do exactly that, Katsumi’s shoulders squared and she stood as tall as she could, just barely taller than Itachi, who appeared to be going through another growth spurt. 

"Do you know what the name Katsumi means?" She suddenly asked, admiring her nails. "It means victorious beauty. I find it a fitting name don't you?" Her lips quirked. "And you. Itachi. Weasel. Your parents must have truly hated you to name you that. In most cultures, the weasel is a bad omen. It's also an insult in some places. Did you know that? If somebody calls another an ‘itachi’ it implies that the person has nothing but a false sense of bravado, who will only show off when there is nobody stronger around. I can see that in you, dear. You thought you had him until I came around. I am the one he married. I am the one he falls asleep next to every night and wakes up next to every morning. He may have fucked you, but he has never made love to you. He has never loved you."

For a moment Itachi just looked at her, something warring on his expression before he took a step back. “Are you certain about that?” He asked, tone dripping with derision. “I think your opinion about yourself is perhaps a bit too high.”

"You are not the victim here," Katsumi snapped. "You knowingly and brazenly pursued a married man, childishly thinking you had some claim to him." Itachi seemed to be struggling with some inner battle for a moment, fingers gripping the edge of his shirt and releasing it, but at Katsumi’s words, his mind was made up. Itachi grasped the edge of his shirt, pulling it aside and showing her the name stamped across his skin; her husband, her soulmate’s name.

“There’s nothing childish about my claim.” He replied and Katsumi stared at the mark, stunned.

“You’re lying,” she finally croaked, bile rising in her throat. “You would be so selfish to fake-” Even as she said it, she knew that it wasn’t a lie. A regular tattoo didn’t have the same glow that the marks had, they didn’t stand out as boldly. 

Itachi smoothed his shirt back down. “I can assure you that it is real. My feelings for him were real.” Something akin to pity crossed Katsumi's face for a brief moment. 

“And he knew about this? And he still-” she shook her head, expression once again falling into that cold, calculating facade. This explained so much, Itachi’s coldness, his obsession with Shisui and how he had willingly allowed himself to be entangled in an affair, and Shisui-Shisui! He knew! He had known all along and he had encouraged it, all while lying straight to Katsumi’s face. 

“Yet it’s not your name on his arm, is it, Itachi? Yours is a fluke, a mistake. Mine matches his.” She delicately held out her leg, turning her ankle so Itachi could see Shisui’s name, clear as day. Had they laughed at her? Did they think they were so very clever? Was Shisui even her soulmate? Did he also have Itachi’s name hidden somewhere?

“Perhaps yours or his is temporary.” Itachi shrugged. “A first love until something tears you apart.”

“Are you threatening me?” Katsumi stared at him, aghast and itachi shook his head, glancing over towards the trail leading to the village, as if he was bored of the conversation. 

“Not at all, simply explaining what this all could mean.” Itachi replied lightly. "Afterall, it's not often where two people share the same soulmate. For all we know, his mark will change to my name. Or perhaps it won’t. It is not like there are many people out there in this predicament. In any case, I have much to do, have a good evening Uchiha-san.” He shrugged again and began to walk back towards the village as Katsumi stared after him rooted to the spot.

 


 

 

That night, Shisui had just gotten home where Katsumi was waiting for him. She was at the kitchen table, fingers drumming on the wood as and eyes fixed on the newly refurbished wall. Shisui’s initial smile upon seeing her faded at the expression on her face. “Hey,” he greeted. “How was your day?” Katsumi’s eyes met his, her expression souring further. At first, she had wanted to confront him about her meeting with Itachi, but she wasn’t sure she would be able to reign in her temper.

“I received some interesting news at work today.” She finally spoke up, hands sweeping over the surface of the table, in search of invisible crumbs.

“Oh,” Shisui smiled, Katsumi always had interesting stories about her work. “What’s that?” He took the seat across from her.

“It seems people are talking about your little…adventures with Itachi.” Her hands shook at this, and her skin felt hot. He had lied to her, did he never plan to tell her?

“Itachi?” Shisui frowned in confusion. “What about him?” Katsumi swallowed, taking a deep breath. 

“Everyone knows, Shisui.” Katsumi hissed. “You were seen sneaking out of his window-” If she was hoping for Shisui to react with open horror and guilt, she was mistaken. 

Shisui shrugged, not looking concerned at all. “Katsumi, that was months ago and we are…were friends. It’s not that outrageous that I would spend time with him.” Oh, how quaint. He could put on such a convincing show. Katsumi would have been fooled had Itachi not shown her? Had it been Shisui’s idea to hide the mark? Had he wanted to protect Katsumi from the truth or have his fun with Itachi without worrying about Katsumi stopping it?

“But sneaking in his window?” Katsumi leaned back in her chair, absently playing with her necklace as she watched Shisui. 

“Might Gai makes loud proclamations about his friendship with Kakashi, Anko slaps her friend’s asses. That’s friendship. Whoever started this was likely bored. It’s just some stupid little gossip to stir up drama and if you let anyone see you react, it’s only going to make it worse.” Katsumi snorted, hands balling into fists. Did he think she was that stupid? She doubted Might Gai had another mark to worry about.

“Well someone still saw you and seemed concerned enough to talk. I want to know exactly how it started and why it’s only now getting out.” Once again, Shisui surprised her. He sat back in the chair for a moment looking thoughtful before something seemed to click.

"The surveillance," Shisui murmured. "Every few months the police force gets rid of old footage to make room for new. They must have been going through the archive footage and saw me." It had always been so tedious sitting through old surveillance footage of the village, but sometimes something interesting would pop up, like the time Genma and Might Gai had to walk home naked after losing strip poker or when Naruto Uzumaki was once again caught defacing public property. “It will blow over in no time. Things like this happen all the time.”

Katsumi shook her head, brushing her hair behind her ear. “You know how the rumor mill works. One person starts talking and they all join in. It doesn’t matter if any of it is true or not, it’s still out there.”

‘That’s why we need to play it off,” Shisui explained patiently. “Don’t give them the reaction they want and eventually they’ll move onto something new.” He had a point, but it still rackled Katsumi just knowing someone wanted to spread rumors about her husband and by extension, her. It would have been easy to blow it off or even find a way to pin the blame on Itachi, but even if she did that, her name would still be involved. How would her clients feel if they knew she was involved in such a scandal? What company would trust her?

“And Itachi?” She pressed, watching as he wiped his face with the rag. “Do you think he will ‘play it off'?” Oh he definitely would play it off, Katsumi had underestimated him, had assumed he was just an immature spoiled child prodigy, but it went deeper than that; he went deeper.

Shisui smiled. “Itachi’s the smartest person I know, he’s not going to get worked up over what some stranger says about him.”

Katsumi only looked mildly put off by his easy compliment for Itachi. “I don’t know how you can be so calm about this.” Her own voice was surprisingly level, but a couple times Shisui had looked at her, as if sensing the underlying menace. 

“Because no one actually saw anything. I snuck out of Itachi’s window a few times, big deal. I used to sneak into his window at the compound before he even-before I even got my mark.” Katsumi frowned at him before sighing

“I suppose…” She was reluctant to simply drop this, but Shisui was making a lot of sense and the fact that he was so unconcerned about it all was a bit pacifying. The video was the least of her worries now.

“You’re getting yourself worked up, Kat,” Shisui offered her a gentle smile. “Don’t let them get to you. You never have before.” He reached for her hand and she reluctantly allowed him to hold it, stroking her thumb over his wrist.

“I was never the subject of gossip like this before.” She admitted softly and Shisui hummed in response. It would be easy to brush this under the rug, to pretend Itachi had not shown her the mark and move on. They could go about their life, continue their careers and add to their family and it would all be a dirty little secret.

“I keep forgetting you’re used to civilian life,” Katsumi looked at him sharply, looking ready to snap at him but he lifted his hands up defensively. “Rumors are sort of the bread and butter of shinobi life. Like currency, so naturally we have to know how to handle it.”

When Katsumi didn’t appear to relax, Shisui instantly knew there was more she was thinking about. “Kat?” Shisui pressed. “What’s up?” Katsumi breathed out, hands smoothing against the table, her palms were sweaty and there was a tremor in her fingers that had Shisui immediately on edge.

Then again, she could save this information and use it later. Katsumi smiled tightly, and squeezed Shisui’s hand, careful to not try to snap his fingers. “Nothing. Just a bit tired.” She pressed forward and kissed him on the cheek, feeling him smile against her mouth, none the wiser. 

 

Notes:

So I initially didn't have Itachi showing the mark until much later, but it felt like now was the right time. Katsumi was also going to confront Shisui immediately but it opened a perfect plot point I had been struggling with, so here we have it.

Chapter 27: Loss

Notes:

A shorter chapter this time around, should have the next one posted sometime tomorrow.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

As Shisui had predicted, the rumors about his supposed infidelity had quickly faded to nothing. Maybe people were bored, or maybe they had been hoping for more of a reaction and were disappointed, whatever the case, soon it became nothing but old news. However, Katsumi remained on edge. He didn’t dare push her, not wanting to upset her more than she already seemed to be giving him the cold shoulder. He was walking on eggshells for nearly a week, not sure what would set her off or how to fix it.

She avoided going out with him, no date nights or meeting up with friends. If people had started suspecting something was wrong before, now it was practically obvious. Shisui had to come up with excuses; most involving pregnancy hormones or her hectic work schedule but that would only work for so long. People liked to speculate and if given any hint of discourse, they were sure to run with it.

One evening, Shisui had returned from a clan meeting and all the lights in the house were lit, even the empty bathroom. This was pretty unusual and instantly Shisui knew something was wrong. He walked through the house, turning off lights as he passed them. Something crunched under his feet and when he looked down he could see there was broken glass on the floor. He swept it aside as best he could, glad he had kept his sandals on despite Katsumi's complaints when he wore them indoors.

"Katsumi?" He called down the hall, then hesitated as he looked at the floor. There were droplets of blood on the ground. Leading down the hall and into the bathroom. A chill ran down his spine. "Katsumi!" Shisui ran down the hall, pushing the door open and spotting his wife standing at the sink, her back to him.

At the sight of her upright and unharmed Shisui visibly relaxed, a relieved smile crossing his face. However, it slipped away as she continued focusing on whatever was in front of her. He heard something tear, and he stepped forward in confusion. Over her shoulder he could see a box of medical tape.

"Hey?" He greeted and she jerked back, as if not realizing he had been standing there, despite all the noise he had made.

"I lost it," Katsumi muttered, not looking at Shisui as she tore the medical tape from the container, droplets of blood splattering against the floor. She had sliced her palm open, cutting it when she had shattered a glass cup and there was a trail of blood leading from the kitchen and down the hall.

"What?" Shisui slid the door closed behind them.

"The baby. It's gone." Katsumi's voice was devoid of emotion, her back tense, but Shisui knew her well enough to understand that she was hurting. There was a tremble in her shoulders, something she desperately was trying to control.

"Kat…" All Shisui could do was watch her, desperately wanting to help her. His own immediate reaction to the news was not important, not while Katsumi was this visibly upset.

"It's stupid isn't it?” Katsumi’s laugh was anything but happy. “Mourning something I didn't even know if I wanted…but I liked the idea…family, having something of my own.” She swallowed tickly, struggling to unravel the tape until Shisui stepped closer and helped her. She stood, tense as she allowed him to help, not looking at him. Her hands were shaking and Shisui gently stroked his fingers down her arm, trying to ease her, but all it seemed to do was agitate her more.

"No," Shisui assured her as he checked her palm for any splinter of glass. "I'm so sorry you were alone." He took a pair of tweezers out of the drawer and instructed her to angle her hand towards the light. He could see small slivers of glass and he removed them as gently as he could.

"I didn't want to disturb you." Katsumi admitted, swallowing thickly. "I thought I could take care of it."She turned towards Shisui, her face blotchy and eyes puffy from crying. Shisui frowned, setting the tweezers down and reaching out to touch her face. "Hey, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. Do you think we should get you to the doctor? Are you in any pain?" He cupped her cheek, gingerly brushing a long strand of blonde hair from her face and tucking it behind her ear.

"No, there's nothing they can do."

"Are you in any pain at all? Do you want to lay down?" He took her hand to guide her from the bathroom but she pulled it back.

"It’s not that and I'm not-I'm not crying." Katsumi attempted to defend herself, turning to pull away. Shisui's hand moved, turning her face towards him.

"Come on, talk to me." His hands moved down to gently touch her shoulders. “What do you need me to do?”

"It's just...Itachi." She sniffed, hand moving to quickly wipe at her eye. "It's nothing. It's stupid."

"What about Itachi?" Shisui asked, voice hushed and confused on the sudden change in topics. Katsumi pushed Shisui away, furiously wiping at her face.

“We met up. I…I had gone to confront him about the rumors and we argued.” She watched as Shisui slowly frowned. "He didn't hurt me or anything." Katsumi quickly assured her husband, hands shaking. "But….Shisui he showed me his mark.”

Shisui stared at his wife, stunned for a moment before the gravity of the situation finally hit him. “Kat-” He began and Katsumi yanked her hand away, tears finally rolling down her blotchy cheeks. With a frustrated cry she pushed by him, stalking down the hall towards their room and treading barefoot over the glass, despite Shisui's warnings. He raced after her, bloody footprints leading into their room, but Katsumi didn't even seem to feel it.

"You lied to me,” She accused, shoving him in the chest. “This whole time you knew about his mark and you still….you cheated on me, Shisui...I don’t understand. What did I do wrong?" Katsumi buried her face in her palms.

Nothing!” Shisui quickly attempted to reassure her. “You did absolutely nothing wrong, and I’m so sorry I did this to you. I should have told you from the beginning.” He guided her to the bed, sitting her down and kneeling so he could try to check out the damage to her feet.

Katsumi shook her head, wiping at her eyes. "No, this is my fault." I kept pushing you away...making excuses...I'm never home." She winced as he pulled a sliver of glass out of her feet, blood dribbling down his hand.

"This isn't your fault, Katsumi. I'm the one who made this mess." 

"Because I encouraged it," She watched as he took the antiseptic he had grabbed on his way out, applying it to her foot. She didn't even feel the sting. "No wonder you went to him.” She snatched a piece of tissue paper from the bedside table and dabbed at her eyes.

"Shit." Shisui sat back on his heels, closing his eyes. “Katsumi none of this is your fault. I am the one who messed up. I should never have gotten you or Itachi dragged into this mess.”

"What does he have that I don't?”

'It's not that, it's just Itachi…" Shisui trailed off, not knowing where he was even going with it.

“You know…he said that our marks might just be temporary.” Katsumi didn’t meet his eyes, staring resolutely down at her lap.

Shisui looked up. “What?” He wasn’t sure he had heard her right.

“He said that maybe he had your name because we wouldn’t last and I-” Katsumi threw the tissue paper away in disgust. “What if he’s right?”

He couldn’t imagine Itachi ever saying something so cruel, but if these marks had taught Shisui anything it was that common sense was often the first thing to go. It made him sick just to think about.

Shisui swallowed thickly. "He's wrong." He finally replied. "I chose you, I want you." He reached out for her hand, desperate for some contact but Katsumi would not allow it, avoiding looking him in the eyes.

"Just the idea of it had me so worked up, I can't help but think it had something to do with-" She didn't need to finish her sentence, Shisui already understood exactly what she meant. “I want to be alone right now, Shisui.” Katsumi murmured without looking at him, pulling her foot away when he attempted to bandage it.

Shisui watched her for a long moment, even as she rolled onto her side, facing away from him. When he finally struggled back to his feet he thought he wasn't going to be able to remain standing. Everything felt too heavy, like he was sinking down.

"What do you need me to do?" He asked, watching her tense under the covers.

"Give me time. I think you owe me that at the very least."

 

Notes:

Also thoughts on splitting this story into two parts or is it flowing well enough as one?

Chapter 28: Loyalty

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

It was late, and Itachi had finally gotten home from training. He hadn’t had much of an appetite, and skipped dinner in favor of a shower and getting to bed. He sensed Shisui’s chakra approaching long before he pounded in his front door. For a moment Itachi considered simply ignoring him and finishing getting ready for bed, but the pounding continued and Itachi did not want the neighbors to file a noise complaint. He sighed, setting his brush aside and walking over to the door, cracking it open and peaking out at Shisui, who under the porchlight seemed to have an almost heavenly glow.

"Is there a reason you're-oh!" Shisui shoved the door open the rest of the way, sending Itachi stumbling back to avoid being hit by the door.

"You showed Katsumi your mark." Shisui accused him, advancing on him until Itachi finally stood his ground, lifting his chin up in near defiance. 

"I did." 

Shisui was nearly nose to nose with him, as if he wanted to scare Itachi into submission. "And you told her that her mark was only temporary."

"I told her it was a possibility, yes."

 Shisui took a step back, staring at him as if he had grown two heads. "You need to apologize to her." 

Itachi fought back a shocked laugh, instead shaking his head and going back to prepare for bed. "I have nothing to apologize for. If she can't handle the truth, maybe she's not as mature as she lets on." He walked into the bathroom, Shisui at his heels and watching as Itachi grabbed a hairband from the container. 

"The truth? What truth? She has my name and I have hers. Nothing is changing that and you even suggesting-"

"Your wife ambushed me. She confronted me." Itachi cut him off, pulling his hair back and tying it into his normal ponytail. "If she didn't want her feelings hurt then she shouldn't have thrown baseless accusations in my face."

"Regardless of if she confronted you or not-"

"Which she did." Itachi replied sharply and Shisui closed his eyes, letting out a deep breath, as if needing to find patience. 

"Regardless of that you had no right to insinuate what you did. You really need to talk to her, Itachi." Shisui crossed his arms over his chest and Itachi shot him an unimpressed stare, visibly annoyed by Shisui’s demands. IHe strode into the kitchen, turning the light over the sink off.

"I don't want to." Itachi was done talking about this. Done having to pretend he was fine with everything. "And furthermore I don't have to do anything."

 "And I didn't want to come home to my wife crying, but here we are." Shisui snapped and Itachi hummed, not wanting to hear about Shisui’s marital woes. 

“Then I suppose you ought to be home with her, then coming to my home and trying to scold me for defending myself.” Itachi brushed by Shisui, walking to the front door and opening it, motioning outside.

 It was an obvious dismissal that was not being respected. “Defend yourself? From a pregnant civilian that has never had to deal with rumors like we have?”

“I defended myself from a self centered narcissist who cannot stand the fact that she isn’t as in control as she likes to pretend that she is.” Itachi snapped back. “I’m not going to let her speak to me the way she does, I’ve already been far too patient with her despite her constant attacks.”

 In an instant Shisui was stalking forward, hip smacking a chair and sending it clattering to the floor. Itachi didn't even have time to back away. Shisui's hand shot out and grasped Itachi’s face between his fingers, nails digging in as he dragged Itachi forward. "You always do this." Shisui snapped, his grip tightening. "You always try to play the victim card. It's gotten old, Itachi. You were just as complicit in all of this as me, don’t stand there and act like you had no choice. You hurt her and you owe her an apology."

"I don't owe her anything!" Itachi’s voice came out constricted as he glared at Shisui even as the older man's grip tightened painfully. "You were the one who dragged me into this! You were the one who decided to actively pursue me despite you being married. This is on you. Why should I even care about her feelings?" Itachi could feel his teeth clank together as Shisui wrenched him forward by the face.

"Because I care about her, Itachi! She is my wife! And you, my supposed closest friend, can't even offer her basic respect!" Shisui had never raised his voice at him before. He pushed Itachi's face to the side in disgust.

 Itachi shoved Shisui back, reaching up to massage his jaw, never looking away from his apparent soulmate. “Closest friend? Are you kidding me Shisui? You crossed that line the moment you undressed me in your house. We stopped being friends the moment you decided that I was some fun you could have when your wife was too busy ignoring you. The moment I showed you the mark, you stopped being my friend.” Itachi managed to keep himself calm throughout his tirade, but it was obvious that he was upset, that even now he was hurt by Shisui’s constant disrespect. “You made it clear you had no loyalty for me.”

“My loyalties are with Katsumi. She is what is important to me now. Her and the family we are going to have.” Shisui stood tall, and Itachi shook his head in disappointment. It wasn’t surprising anymore, but still hurt to see his old friend reduced to this. 

"I only told her the truth. Something you should have done." Itachi’s tone was cold and he motioned again for Shisui to leave. "If she can't handle the fact that I have your name on me then perhaps it's something she should work on."

"Itachi, that's not fair." Shisui argued and Itachi scoffed at him, picking up the fallen chair and putting it back in place.

"No, lying to her for your own benefit was not fair," he crossed his arms over his chest. "You would have understood that once. You've changed Shisui."

Shisui glared at Itachi for a long moment and Itachi stared back, unflinching. Then, Shisui’s eyes moved to the reddened marks on Itachi’s cheeks and his face fell. "What am I turning into Itachi?" He asked softly, heavily leaning back against the wall and sliding to the floor. Itachi did not move, watching Shisui with an uneasy expression. 

“You should go home, Shisui.” He finally sighed, rubbing at the side of his face. He was exhausted and having Shisui here was only making him feel moreso. “I’d hate for anyone to assume I’ve seduced the pillar of virtue away from his faithful wife.”

“Katsumi doesn’t want me there.” Shisui buried his face in his knees, reminding Itachi of a little boy, of Sasuke when he was little and used to get anxious over father. Seeing him breaking down like this had Itachi’s walls crumbling. 

As a child, Itachi thought Shisui was this pillar of strength and as close to perfect as one could get. It wasn’t until he was a little older that he began to understand that Shisui was a flawed human, just like everyone else. Shisui, for all his strengths, was not infallible. He had spent his entire life dedicated to the village and the clan that he never really learned to live for himself. He was always at the whim of someone and it had become easier for him to let others make the decisions he didn’t feel he could make. Perhaps it made him feel safe, or maybe he just wasn't comfortable having so much burdens put on him. He had been a leader as a shinobi, and had been a guiding hand for Itachi, but in his private life, he just wanted someone to point him in the right direction.  

“Why not?” Itachi asked, kneeling down across from Shisui.

“She lost the baby,” Shisui admitted, leaning forward on his elbows, his head bowed low, curls falling across his face. 

“I’m sorry.” Itachi replied, and he was. He knew how excited Shisui was to be a father and have a family. He knew this loss would be a harsh blow. Why was he here then? Shouldn’t he be at home with Katsumi, comforting her and her comforting him? That was how it was usually done, wasn’t it?

"It's my fault, Itachi." Shisui sucked in a sharp breath. "I shouldn't have put so much pressure on her, I knew she wasn’t sure about the baby and I-I shouldn’t have been so obnoxious about it. I should have given her more space."

“You were excited to be a father, no one can fault you for that.” It felt wrong for Shisui to be kicked out of his own home after receiving such devastating news. Where was he supposed to go? 

"I didn't know where to go. Katsumi wanted to be alone, and Auntie was already asleep and I didn't want to disturb her,” Shisui sucked in a sharp breath. “I shouldn’t have spoken to you like that, or grabbed you- I'm sorry I-"

 Itachi, despite his reservations, could never in good conscience allow Shisui to wallow like this. He reached forward, fingers gently brushing over Shisui’s shoulder and Shisui lurched forward into his arms. He clung to Itachi, shoulders heaving with the force of his sobs. Itachi rubbed his back, letting Shisui bury his face in his shoulder. He could feel his neck dampen with Shisui’s tears. He couldn’t remember the last time he had ever seen Shisui this vulnerable, if ever.

“Come on, let’s get you up.” Itachi helped Shisui to his feet, practically dragging him up and to the small counter in the kitchen, ushering him into a chair. "Katsumi is unhurt?" Itachi asked and Shisui nodded stiffly, head handing as he stared at the table.

"She…she's okay, but she's so upset.” He wiped at his eyes and Itachi moved to put the kettle on. “She confronted me about you and…well she wanted to be alone, so I left.” He traced his fingers over the table, visibly exhausted.

“Well perhaps some space is best for now.” Itachi took tea from the box, leaning against the counter as he waited for the water to finish.

“She doesn’t want me to be seen with you at all. Not with the rumors, and now that she knows about your mark.” 

The kettle began to steam and Itachi removed it from the burner. “The rumors are dying down already,” Itachi assured him. “Most are in agreement that it was purely platonic. We can easily play it off and no one will need to know about the mark.”

“You showed Kakashi,” Shisui couldn’t help the accusation in his tone and Itachi turned to him, fixing him with an unimpressed glare.

“Don’t start again, Shisui.” He warned and Shisui visibly deflated, looking at Itachi’s face and the reddened portion from where his fingers had dug in. He had never touched Itachi so callously before, nor spoken to him in such a disrespectful tone. It was shameful and Shisui wouldn’t have blamed Itachi for kicking him out on his ass.

“I’m sorry, Itachi.”

“It’s fine.” Itachi assured him as he poured him a cup. “Don’t drink it too quickly.” Always the responsible one. 

“No, it’s not. I had no right to talk to you like that. Or touch you.” Shisui thanked him for the cup, watching as he poured his own. The light overhead flickered and Itachi watched it until it stopped, warming his hands against his cup. “I’m not a good person, Itachi.” Shisui finally admitted, voice hoarse. Itachi didn’t reply, but he did reach across the table and give his hand a gentle squeeze.

Shisui wasn’t sure how long they had sat at that little table, but Itachi had remained with him, despite Shisui’s actions, he was still offering him a kindness he didn’t deserve. He didn’t deserve either of them. He had taken both their trust and twisted it, and yet here Itachi was, as steady as ever. Shisui knew he needed to speak with Katsumi, and accept whatever she said. For now, he was able to sit in peace with Itachi and simply enjoy the silence. 

It was nearly sunrise by the time Shisui felt brave enough to go home. He was only avoiding his house and he knew he needed to return. Itachi had walked him to the door. He must have been tired, but he was putting on a good show. Shisui turned back to Itachi, who stood at the doorway, watching him in silence. “Thank you, Itachi.” He meant it; Itachi was a better man than him. He deserved a better name on his skin than Shisui’s. Itachi tilted his head, hair falling across his neck.

“Get some rest, Shisui. You look awful.” Itachi didn’t smile but Shisui couldn’t help but crack a weak grin.

“Always did appreciate your honesty.” He managed a weak laugh and Itachi’s lips twitched reluctantly. 

“Goodbye Shisui.” Itachi quietly closed the door and Shisui stared at it, wondering if this was it. 

 


 

Getting home was more of a hassle than it should have been. Shisui struggled to find his house, too lost in his own thoughts that he had spent nearly ten minutes wandering in circles. Finally, he approached the walkway, rubbing at his eyes. He could probably just sleep on the porch, but then people would see him and start talking and Katsumi would be even angrier

He had struggled with the door, taking too long to realize it was locked. The spare key was kept under a rock near the walkway and Shisui had to activate his Sharingan to actually see which rock it was. He swiped up the key and silently slid into the house. He slept on the couch, not daring to approach their bedroom, which remained closed. The door leading to the nursery was cracked open, and Shisui was unable to help himself by opening the door and walking in. It felt wrong to be standing here now, looking at the newly painted walls that Shisui had spent hours meticulously perfecting, the cradle still in the center of the room, cold and untouched. He pressed his fingers against the wall, stroking the duck as if it would shatter if he touched it too roughly. Some of the clan had even had little clothes knitted. Shisui didn’t think he was strong enough to look at those right now. There was no baby in here, and possibly there would never be one. He finally left the room and quietly closed the door behind him. 

He wasn’t sure exactly what time it was, but he had never been so tired in his life and he had passed out as soon as he had flopped on the couch. When morning came, he struggled to find the motivation to actually get up. He had laid there for a long moment, staring at the ceiling.Katsumi was already awake when he finally rolled off the couch, he had to report to the Hokage at two, which gave him a few hours to speak with Katsumi if she allowed it. She was sitting out on the porch, looking over at the garden they had planted. She didn’t look up as he approached, absently braiding a chunk of her hair.

It was obvious that she hadn’t gotten decent sleep either, the shadows under her eyes were pronounced and seemed almost bruise-like. 

“You went to Itachi last night.” She didn’t accuse him, didn’t even raise her voice. It was dead, monotone and Shisui heavily sat down on the porch at her feet. From this angle, he almost felt like he was there for judgment. 

“There was nowhere else to go. Everyone was already asleep.” Katsumi didn’t offer a rebuttal, eyes fixed on the garden. Shisui didn’t dare try to speak up, not wanting to disturb Katsumi who seemed deep in thought. He sat quietly, watching birds pass by overhead. 

“I can’t stay in this village,” Katsumi croaked, unraveling the braid and smoothing it out. “I can’t stay here with everyone looking at me and judging. Dead baby, unhappy husband with two soulmates, and me too focused on work and progress to even pay attention."

 "I'll do anything." Shisui replied, resisting the urge to reach out and touch her. “Whatever you need me to do, I will do it.”

 Her eyes finally focused on him, impossibly green. “You’ll give up Itachi?” It was the ultimatum, in her mind the one true obstacle in their way. 

Itachi had already ended things. Shisui had already assaulted and hurt him. He wasn’t even worthy to be his friend. There was nothing left for Shisui to give up. He nodded. “Yes. What do you need me to do?”

"Would you go with me?" She asked in a hushed tone. "I still have a job opportunity in Sunagakure for the children's home being designed." She reached out then, allowing Shisui to take her hand. 

 “For how long?” Shisui asked, stroking her wrist absently. It felt like a no-brainer, follow Katsumi wherever she led. This meant leaving his village, his clan and his duty behind. He was certain the Hokage would find use for him even outside Konoha. If this was what it took, then he had no right to drag his feet or argue. 

"Two years. Maybe three." Katsumi grasped his hands in her own. “After that we can come back here and try again. Have a family, settle down and just be together.” She gripped his hand, her nails digging into his flesh almost desperately. How could Shisui deny her this? After all he had done wrong, he owed her this. It would be better for Itachi as well. With them gone, Itachi could move on. 

The porch creaked as he shifted, kneeling at Katsumi’s feet and linking his fingers with hers. “I’ll go with you,” He assured her. “Wherever you lead, I will follow.” 

 

Notes:

So Katsumi has finally delivered an ultimatum. Thanks for the input on pairing and the possibility of splitting the story. Seems a lot of readers are on board with keeping it as one story so that's what I will do!

Chapter 29: Goodbye

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

There was bruising on Itachi’s cheeks, sweeping up his jawbone and darkening from where Shisui had grabbed him the hardest. Itachi looked at himself in the mirror, turning his face so he could get a good look at the bruise. There wasn’t much he could do to cover it up, and it would be simple enough to play it off as an injury from training, even if the marks were clearly fingerprints. He began to search through his drawers, finding a small tin of concealer. He twisted it open, dabbing his fingers before applying it to his skin. If it was less noticeable, then it was less likely to draw attention and the last thing he wanted was for someone to ask questions. 

His hip was burning again and if Itachi looked at his mark, he would see Shisui’s name red and inflamed, almost like a bad sunburn. It had been hurting since Shisui’s rejection and had only worsened after their argument the night before. He couldn’t bother putting makeup on it; his clothes hid it well enough and it was easy to tune out any pain he might feel from it.

A fist pounded on the front door and Itachi hesitated.“Nii-san, are you up yet?” Sasuke called out for him and Itachi visibly relaxed, splashing his face with cold water and breathing out through his nose.

“I’ll be right there,” Itachi called back, grabbing a towel and wiping his face. He heard Sasuke push the door open, bounding inside and into the kitchen to steal one of Itachi’s edamame he had on the counter. “Did you let mother know you were coming over?”

“Uh huh.” Sasuke was only half listening to him, rummaging through the fridge as if he was in his own home. Itachi took another moment to study himself before walking out of the bathroom, shooting Sasuke a smile.

"I certainly hope so, I'd hate to have her worry." The last thing he wanted was for Mikoto to assume her son had wandered off, as he was prone to do when he and father argued. 

"Yeah…" Sasuke waved him off, looking for something else to snack on. Itachi walked over to the plants in the window, checking how dry the soil was and watering them. “Shisui is leaving for Suna,” Sasuke informed him, popping an edamame into his mouth.

Itachi looked up from the spider plant. “What?” 

“Yeah, guess they just decided this afternoon,” Sasuke plopped back. “Shisui got the go ahead from the Hokage so they let the clan know. Guess he’s following his bitch wife for work.”

Sasuke!” Itachi admonished, setting the watering can down. “You can’t call her that.” The words sounded hollow in his ears and he stared at his plants, as if they would shrivel up if he looked away.

“Why? You don’t even like her.” Well, he certainly made a fair point. 

“My personal opinions aside, it’s rude to call someone names like that.” Itachi finally turned, walking into the kitchen and feeling Sasuke’s eyes on him.

“I heard you swear once.”

“Oh, you have not.” Itachi rounded on him, nearly offended at the accusation and Sasuke puffed out his cheeks. 

“Have too!”

“Sasuke I have never sworn in front of you.” Itachi knew that for a fact, and he barely swore on his own. Sasuke scowled at him.

“Yeah, well if you’d stop being such a stick in the mud you would.” He argued weakly and Itachi took a seat next tk him, reaching for an edamame. 

“I’m an adult.”

“No you’re not,” Sasuke scowled. “Not technically.” Itachi shrugged, he had stopped being a kid years ago. He loved his brother, more than anything but it didn’t change the fact that they had lived two very different lives. Itachi would not wish the life he lived on Sasuke, and was so thankful that he had been spared the worst of it. Fugaku and Mikoto were good parents, they made mistakes as any did. Itachi never doubted that they loved him, but he had been more of a test child than a real one. They cared for Itachi and tried the best they could, and they stumbled often but they had learned to be better ones for Sasuke.

He offered an edamame to Sasuke, who snatched it up with a small grin that he seemed to reserve only for Itachi. “Are you sure you have time to train with me today?” He asked, for what felt like the hundredth time.

“Yes, I’ve finished all my paperwork and I’m not scheduled for any missions out of the village this week.” He had several meetings with the Hokage and his ANBU lined up, but he had noticed that Hiruzen was pulling him off the schedule more and more. He didn’t know what it meant. He hadn’t made any errors while leading his team, all his missions had been successful, but it seemed that the Hokage was intent on keeping him closer to the village. Itachi didn’t mind, he was able to do any paperwork that he needed, as well as help his ANBU unit with anything they needed, not to mention he got to see Sasuke more often. Still, Itachi couldn’t help but worry that something was wrong, and he hated worrying. 

Sasuke nodded, hopping out of his chair and swiping his bag off the floor. “Then let’s hurry before someone tries to steal you away.” Itachi took his keys off the counter, quickly double checking the room before taking the bag Sasuke held out to him and slinging it over his shoulder.

“Lead on.”

They walked down the street, neither speaking but neither feeling like they needed to fill the silence. They could smell ramen and street food wafting just around the corner, and Sasuke mumbled something about getting food after they were done. They rounded the corner, heading away from the residential area and approaching the bridge leading towards the training grounds. There was a small group gathered, getting progressively larger and Sasuke stretched his neck, trying to see what the commotion was before scoffing.

“Of course it’s them.”

Kakashi Hatake and Might Gai were balancing on opposite sides of the bridge railing, both blindfolded. Sasuke snorted at the sight, slowing down so he could watch them. Itachi matched his pace, wondering what nonsense they were up to this time. Gai sensed him as he approached. “Itachi Uchiha!” He bellowed in delight. “You are here to witness me defeat my dearest rival?”

“Hello Gai-san,” Itachi greeted politely. “Are you two racing?”

“Yes! We will traverse blindfolded across this bridge railing!” He swept his arm out, motioning to the other end of the bridge. One the other railing, Kakashi snorted. They had a small group gathered, obviously interested in watching the race. Itachi could hear Genma taking bets on the other side.

“Well, good luck.” Itachi motioned for Sasuke to follow him, but Sasuke seemed intent on seeing one of them fall into the water. Tenma, Itachi’s former teammate, was watching the commotion with his hands stuffed in his pockets. He tilted his head in Itachi’s direction, eyes fixed on the two men on the bridge.

“Feels like they ought to start charging per show.” He suggested, arms crossed over his chest and his usual scowl nowhere to be seen. 

“Don’t give them any ideas.” They stood, watching as the race began and the pair took off. Kakashi strode forward easily, one foot in front of the other, while Gai attempted to take huge steps, managing to maintain his balance with ease. Genma was shouting something, obviously taking a large bet out and wanting to see his racer win. Gai stumbled, teetering left in right with his arms spread wide, and feet planted on the railing. A hush fell over the crowd, all watching with bated breath. Kakashi kept moving, taking advantage of Gai’s distraction and Gai quickly regained his balance to the cheer of the crowd and Genma’s near shriek of delight. 

They kept moving, Gai gaining on Kakashi, but Kakashi crossed over to the other side, Gai just behind him. The crowd went wild with cheers and Sasuke sighed in visible disappointment. “Your pants are mine, Shiranui!” A voice that sounded like Anko barked across the crowd as Genma despaired. Tenma clicked his tongue and strode off, obviously having taken the bet and lost.

Kakashi and Gai removed their blindfolds and shook hands, Gai grinning ear to ear. “It is wondrous to taste defeat against such a worthy opponent!” 

“Let’s go,” Sasuke nudged Itachi who followed his brother, slipping through the gathered group.

“Itachi!” Kakashi suddenly called out and Itachi turned to see his former captain striding up to the pair. Itachi had barely spoken to him since their argument, and now Itachi could barely look at him. Perhaps it was half shame or half pride, the thought of speaking to Kakashi after everything that had happened felt incredibly uncomfortable. Still, he wasn’t going to be disrespectful and walk away.

“Hello Kakashi-san.” He greeted as the man came to a stop in front of them.

Kakashi looked from one brother to the other. “Hello there.” He greeted and Sasuke scowled at him. “You off to the training field?”

“Tch.” Kakashi snorted, opening his mouth to reply when his eyes landed on Itachi. Itachi knew he was looking at the bruise and he jutted his chin out, as if to challenge him. “Yeah, where else would we be going?”

“Well, let me walk you there. I’m pretty sure I forgot my mask out there.”

“You’re wearing your mask.” Sasuke muttered and Kakashi gasped in mock surprise.

That’s where it went, thank you Sasuke-kun!” He fluttered his eyelashes at Sasuke who muttered something rather rude under his breath and walked on ahead, Itachi following behind after a polite nod to Kakashi.

Kakashi fell into step with Itachi and he never looked his way or broke stride. “That bruise new?” He muttered and Itachi breathed out, watching Sasuke race ahead to where Naruto Uzumaki stood leaning over the edge of the bridge with another classmate.  

“I got it during training.” Itachi replied and Kakashi hummed in response. 

“Ah yes, the usual finger shaped bruises on the face accident. Hate when that happens.” His words were teasing enough, but that tone was anything but. Itachi didn’t look at him, eyes firmly on Sasuke’s back as the boy shoulder checked Naruto who squawked in indignation. 

“It’s nothing.” Itachi replied, tone terse and Kakashi hummed.

“Sure doesn’t look like nothing.” He tilted his head, studying Itachi. “Never thought Shisui would be the type to do something like that.” They watched as Naruto chased after Sasuke, attempting to trip him.

“It’s none of your business anyway. He didn’t…” He couldn’t say Shisui hadn’t meant to do it because it was very clear that he had. “It’s fine. He apologized, and it’s not like he’s abusive or anything. I will be fine.” Kakashi released a breath at this, sounding almost disappointed. 

“Well then maybe it’s better that he leaves then, since he doesn’t have the common courtesy to keep his hands to himself.” Itachi rounded on Kakashi, prepared to tell him to back off when Sasuke yelled out for him to hurry up. Casting one last look at Kakashi, Itachi hurried after his brother, greeting Naruto who lay flat on the ground.

 

That evening, as Itachi lay in bed, Shisui appeared at the skylight, the curtain pulled up so Itachi could see his face against the glass. He stared up at him, for a moment contemplating pretending to be asleep, or even dead but Shisui could literally see him awake and blinking, so that ruled out that idea. Against his better judgment, Itachi opened the window and let Shisui slip inside. Shisui silently landed at his feet; he looked awful, hair a mess and eyes bloodshot.

“Hey.” He greeted, cracking a weak smile that Itachi did not return. It was late and he was tired and he didn’t want Shisui here. 

“Hello.”

Shisui sighed, squirming slightly. “I like the purple flowers you’re growing…the ones on the side of the building.”

“Wisteria. Thank you. They’re coming along nicely.” Itachi scooted back in his bed, tempted to pull the blanket up to his chin in discomfort. 

“That’s good.”

“Yes.” Itachi agreed and for a moment they fell into uncomfortable silence, neither looking at each other. Itachi knew why he was here, but it did nothing to ease his discontent. He stared resolutely at his knees, hands clasping the blanket.

"I…I'm leaving." Shisui's eyes fell away, fixing resolutely on a loose string on Itachi’s blanket. 

"I know." Itachi replied and Shisui blinked at him, furrowing his eyebrows. 

"How?"

Itachi shifted, smoothing the blanket out. "Word gets around quickly in this village, you should know that by now."

“Ahh,” Shisui rubbed the back of his head, a nervous habit. “Yeah, Katsumi’s job offered her a new position in Suna, managing some project. She’s really excited.” She might be, but Shisui only sounded uncertain. 

“When will you leave?” He asked and Shisui leaned back on his heels, twirling the thread around his finger. 

“Next week, we’re finishing packing things up. The Hokage’s given me permission to go…a sabbatical of sorts.”

Ahh.” Itachi didn’t know what to say to this and the thought of engaging in any conversation with Shisui felt exhausting. Shisui blinked, scratching at his face as he awkwardly looked around Itachi’s room.

“The clan’s having a going away party…if you want to go.” He didn’t sound very convinced as he spoke and Itachi nodded once, fingers digging into the blanket. 

“Thank you, but I am not one for parties.” Plus he doubted Katsumi would enjoy seeing him. Shisui smiled weakly at this, a stray curl falling across his forehead. 

“Yeah, I know.” He spoke so fondly, as if Itachi was precious to him and yet he sounded so sad. 

How had they ended up like this? Barely able to even look at each other let alone speak. Only a couple years ago, things had been so easy. When Itachi had received his mark, he thought everything was going to be some fairy tale ending. He could remember that day perfectly. How the weather had been and what he had been wearing. Things had been so simple back then. He received his mark and it felt like fate that he and Shisui were going to be-it didn’t matter anymore. Now, they were barely more than strangers.

Shisui looked at Itachi’s face, studying the bruise. “I’m sorry I grabbed you. Does it hurt?” He asked, and wasn’t that the funniest thing? Itachi would never have guessed Shisui Uchiha would ever be capable of hurting him.

“I’m fine. It’s healing.” He made it clear he didn’t want to speak further about it and Shisui wisely dropped it.

“I wanted to say goodbye before I left.”

“Oh yes. Thank you.” Itachi swallowed thickly. “Goodbye.” Shisui watched him for a long moment, eyes sad and vulnerable. Itachi didn’t trust himself to look at him. He heard Shisui sigh, reaching out as if to touch Itachi before seeming to think better of it and pulled his hand back. Itachi heard him swallow.

“I’m sorry I disturbed you.” He stood, reaching out to slip from the skylight and Itachi did not look at him, knowing if he did, he might not be able to control his emotions. “Goodbye Itachi.” He heard Shisui whisper before he was gone, his chakra signature nothing more than a memory.

Itachi did not move for a long moment, grasping at his blankets hard enough he thought he was going to tear it. He breathed out. His hip was searing in agony, but he barely felt it. 

“Goodbye.” He said to the empty room, the wind gently flowing from the skylight. He stared at it for a long while, almost expecting or hoping Shisui would come back through. There was nothing more to be said and the skylight remained empty; it was time to go to sleep.

 Itachi locked the skylight and pulled down the blinds.

 

Notes:

So we're going to have a time skip after this chapter!

Chapter 30: ACT II

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

More than two years passed and Itachi moved on, really. At least, he did his best to move on. He completed his missions, he spent time with Sasuke and he enjoyed having an actual life outside the field. Hiruzen finally sat him down and informed him that it might be time for Itachi to step down from ANBU. “There is much good you can do off the field,” he explained as Itachi had listened in muted silence. Had he done something wrong? Was he not good enough for ANBU? It was then that Hiruzen confessed that he planned to retire in the next couple of years and he wished for Itachi to take his place.

Hokage.

Itachi could remember Danzo Shimura declaring that no Uchiha would ever hold the mantle, and now here they were. As a child, Itachi had wanted to be Hokage once, he wanted to protect his loved ones and what better way to do so than as Hokage? Now, he wasn’t so sure he was worthy of the position. He had made so many mistakes and it felt like such an insult for someone like him to take such a position. Hiruzen had smiled at him when he expressed his doubts and assured him that he could think of no one worthier to take his place. 

They would wait until Itachi turned twenty, in the meantime he retired from ANBU. Life outside ANBU was different. He could barely remember a time before. Kakashi had retired over a year ago and had become sensei to Sasuke and his teammates when they graduated from the academy. He seemed happier, but definitely fell back into some bad habits. Without ANBU, Itachi shadowed Hiruzen, becoming an ambassador of sorts for the village. He no longer had to fight, he traveled when Hiruzen could not, listening to visiting dignitaries and aiding the council in peaceful resolutions when tensions got to be too high.  

Mikoto hadn’t given up on trying to set Itachi up on dates. It was very slim pickings but occasionally Mikoto would mention someone who had had no mark and Itachi would gently shut her down. “Mother, there are probably twelve people in the village without a mark,” Itachi explained. “And out of those twelve, I’ve spoken to maybe three.” And by spoken he meant an awkward nod while passing. 

“Are your sure Anko is-”

“Yes, very happily.” Mikoto hummed and was quiet for a moment. Itachi knew better than to hope that she was one.

“Well, what about that Tenma boy?” Mikoto argued. “He’s single.”

“Only because his soulmate passed away when they were a child.” Itachi argued, “That’s hardly fair.” Tenma never seemed to be torn up about it, but having a name of someone you would never meet seemed morbid in a way. He wasn’t the first to have a soulmate pass before they could meet, but it seemed wrong that the names remained. Besides, he was happily dating a civilian girl who, like him, lost her soulmate early. There would always be that chasm left behind, but still, happiness could be found.

Itachi hadn’t realized that there were so many people out there who despite having marks, would never be able to be with their intended. It shamed him in a way. He had been vile to Katsumi and expected too much from Shisui. The mark didn’t define him and despite it ensuring he was always tied to Shisui, Itachi knew that he could live without him. He had to. As rare as it was to be in Itachi’s situation, he had to grow up and move on.

He was nearing nineteen, and there were more important things in life than soulmates or love. Before the mark he hadn’t even thought it would factor in, and now without a soulmate, Itachi learned that it wasn’t the end of the world. He missed Shisui, more than he liked to admit, but he couldn’t wait forever for a man who would never choose him. 

So he trained, he worked and he made friends somehow. He, Tenma and Shinko went out once a month for dinner. Anko often went on snack dates with him and he even played cards with Kakashi and all his friends.

 It was nice.

 Itachi had never thought he would have many friends and now here he was, balancing being a shinobi and being a human. Without Shisui or Katsumi there, he had to opportunity to move on with his life. He wasn’t that scrawny fourteen year old that had silently cried into his pillow after Shisui had shown him his mark. Nor was he that fifteen year old that followed Shisui blindly. He would never go back to being that. 

 


 

It never seemed to end. Soulmates this and soulmates that. Shouldn’t they be more concerned about reaching Chunin? He was tired of hearing Ino and Sakura giggle over the soulmate names. When Sakura had gotten hers she had actually bawled when she saw it wasn’t Sasuke. She didn’t even know who the name belonged to. Then it turned into her deciding it was her duty to eventually find this mystery loser and of course Ino hyped her up.

They were so wrapped up in it. It was one of the few things he, Naruto and the rest of the guys were all in agreement on. Soulmate marks were too much drama. 

Then, one by one the other guys were getting their marks. Some knew their marks and others didn’t. Ino got some guy named Sai, but he likely didn’t live in the village. She was more patient than Sakura, claiming that he could come and find her.

Sometime last year Neji and Lee had gotten each other’s names and that had been an absolute disaster. Lee had swept Neji up and spun him around, crying tears of joy. It was honestly embarrassing. Neji took it surprisingly okay, even though he had been mortified when Might Gai was the next person to lift him up and cry. Shino had gotten some girl he refused to name and had been so flustered about it that he had stayed at home for a week. Whoever she was, maybe she’d get Shino out of his shell. 

 

 Then Naruto got his and Sasuke would deny it to his dying day, but he was disappointed to see that it wasn’t his name. It was Gaara.

So that was the end of that.

Sasuke had hoped to not receive a mark, half worried he would end up like Itachi who had been majorly fucked over. It would be easier to be like Kakashi, not tied to some asshole that could ruin your life. As a kid he had been convinced Itachi would be his soulmate. Maybe Itachi wouldn’t be a bad soulmate, but that wasn’t logical. Still, he’d be nicer to Itachi than his actual soulmate was. He watched his classmates receive theirs and his skin remained blank. Itachi had gotten his early, so maybe that was a sign that Sasuke wouldn’t get one.

Mother and father had this whole gross love story that they liked to share again and again and it was nauseating. They’d get all gooey eyed, and he knew they did it on purpose. He’d usually find an excuse to crash at Itachi’s when they got to be too much. Itachi had set up a bed for him and everything, so it wasn’t like he wasn’t welcome. He could sneak in anytime and Itachi would let him, no questions asked. 

On the day Team Seven would be receiving their Chunin rank, Sasuke woke up with his shoulder aching. He rolled over onto his stomach, grumbling in distontent. He slid from his bed, ruffling his hair as he sleepily lumbered out of his room and down the hall. No one was up yet. He walked into the bathroom and looked at his reflection in the mirror. He looked miserable, which was pretty much default in the morning. Then his eyes caught sight of something. Peeking from his shirt was black lettering. He felt a chill run down his spine. It couldn’t be. Not him, not him. He didn’t want a soulmate, he didn’t need one. Now, there it was taunting him. He could rule out several people…unless he was fucked over like Itachi. Or maybe his soulmate would be dead already, that would be convenient. 

He pulled his collar back and scowled. 

Who the fuck was-

 

Notes:

More of a filler than anything

Chapter 31: Sasuke

Chapter Text

Moving to Suna had been a huge change and Shisui would be lying if he said he hadn’t been apprehensive. He had never lived anywhere besides Konoha, and now here he was. It was a great opportunity and in all honesty he really liked the change in scenery. It was like living in a different world all together. He could still remember being lumped into the compound following the Nine Tails attack on the village, he remembers that dreadful feeling that he would never get out. After everything that had happened with Danzo, Shisui had never considered ever being able to go beyond the village. He thought he would live and die for it without the chance to see the world. Now, all those fears seemed so far away and unimportant.

 Katsumi was great at helping him adjust. They found a cute apartment downtown and even got a pet cat to keep them company. Shisui named him Mochi and taught him to do tricks for treats. The first few months were good, great even. It was nearly like they were newly weds again, barely able to keep their hands off each other. Katsumi was riding a high with her new position, happy to be able to set her goals in motion. She’d come home beaming at him and sharing all the details that Shisui was more than happy to listen to. He’d have dinner ready for her and would tell her about what he did with his day. She was happy that he was still keeping active and taking the chance to explore the city. 

He wanted to make things right between them and threw himself into this opportunity. He took day trips out into the desert, explored caverns and collected cool looking rocks, he met new people with all sorts of different backgrounds, and he wrote letters. He wrote to Anko, and to his old teammates. He wrote to the clan, and sometimes he even felt brave enough to write to Itachi. Everyone but Itachi responded to his letters. He knew Itachi was getting his letters, but he wasn’t sure if he was actually reading them. It still felt nice to be able to talk to him in some capacity. He didn’t tell Katsumi, he knew she wouldn’t be happy. It wasn’t like he wrote anything inappropriate, didn’t send dirty photos or jokes. It was all simple letters, asking about him and how he and the family were doing, just like Katsumi wrote to her own loved ones. It didn’t matter anyway, Itachi never replied.

Katsumi seemed content and Shisui was thrilled to have her smiling again, both taking the time to grieve their loss and become stronger together. It felt like they had made the right decision in leaving. Then, Katsumi became busier. Her hours were longer and she’d stay working late into the evening. Shisui would find himself alone more and more, and he’d try to make things a little easier. He’d have dinner ready for her, and he’d be there when she wanted to vent to him about work. At first she seemed to appreciate him for it, but eventually she stopped confiding in him. Katsumi was busy with her career and Shisui understood that. She was in charge of this new building and that would keep her occupied most of the day. 

Shisui tried to keep himself busy. Not having missions might be great for sleeping in and eating real food, but at the same time it left Shisui a little bored. Suna was great and fun to explore, but it wasn’t home. He didn't have a place he could train that just he knew about. Their restaurants were different, bars busy but it wasn’t like Shisui could meet a couple friends there and shoot the shit.

He didn’t know anyone here.

Sometimes shinobi from Konoha would travel through and he would get the chance to catch up with them. It was always a relief when he saw someone he knew, like a little taste of home.

Of course, Itachi never came through the village, not that he had expected him to. When Shisui asked about him, he was given very vague answers.

 

“He’s doing great.”

 

“He’s good.”

 

“Busy as always.”

 

He didn't know why they were being so secretive, even the clan weren't giving much information. He wasn't trying to pry at all, he just wanted to be sure that Itachi was okay.

Katsumi seemed to catch on that he was getting restless. He offered to help her with any work she brought home, but she usually declined. It made sense, she knew how things were supposed to run and didn’t want him messing it up. She suggested he make friends and he tried, but while he managed to make some good acquaintances, it was never quite what he needed.

"You can have lovers on the side." Katsumi suggested one evening as she helped Shisui prepare supper.

Shisui looked up from the soup he was preparing, nearly sloshing the entire dish over the side. "What?" He wasn't sure he had heard her right. 

"If you're bored," Katsumi shrugged. "I don't mind." She barely even looked at him, eyes glued to a magazine that for once wasn't work related.

“Oh…thank you…but I'm okay” He wasn’t interested. The last time he had tried it had ended badly and besides, no one here interested him. He knew exactly why that was, but he wouldn’t dare say it out loud. Things were better between them, but Shisui wasn’t going to risk messing things up more than he already had. Katsumi’s offer was odd though. He thought she would never suggest something like that again, but here she was, busy with work and thinking he’d have fun on the side. True, no one here would have his name…hopefully, but it didn’t feel right.

Katsumi lifted her eyes from the magazine and watched him for a long drawn out moment. "If you're sure." She finally conceded, flipping the page.

This felt like a test, and Shisui wasn’t sure or not if he had passed.

 


 

The first person Sasuke told about his mark was, of course, Itachi. Who else would he have gone to? His parents? He found Itachi in his apartment, cleaning dishes with one of his crows at the window, tilting its head at him, trying to catch his attention.

“You received your mark?” Itachi glanced up from the plate he was washing, offering his brother a smile before it slowly slipped away as he noticed the expression on Sasuke’s face. “You don’t look pleased…is it Naruto?” He knew Naruto was already matched with someone else, and likely feared Sasuke had ended up with Itachi’s predicament.

“No, no it’s just…I don’t know who my mark even is. How am I supposed to be expected to…I don’t know... do anything.” He sat at the counter, watching his brother set the plate aside and wipe his hands on the washcloth, his crow hopping along the windowsill. 

“I suppose it will just come naturally.” Itachi replied. Sasuke had heard it all before. Some fell head over heels immediately, sometimes it began as friendship. Everyone was different. Sasuke grumbled something, picking at a hangnail. “May I see?” Itachi asked and Sasuke glanced up in surprise. He pulled the collar of his shirt down to show Itachi the name.

“Juugo.” Itachi read the name thoughtfully. “The name doesn’t sound familiar, but that doesn’t mean they’re not out there.” Sasuke shrugged, feeling miserable. Maybe it wasn’t fair to whoever his mark was, but Sasuke didn’t want to have to end up like Shisui or Itachi or Sakura with her sleuthing. He wanted his freedom and this mark felt like a prison sentence. 

“What if I hate them?”

“I hardly doubt you’re going to hate them,” Itachi assured him and Sasuke grunted, looking at Itachi's crow as it bobbled its head, a clump of grass hanging from its beak. 

“Still, you could hate someone one day then be their soulmate the next. Doesn’t sound that fair to me.” Itachi smiled at him, chin resting in his palm.

“I suppose that’s life,” he replied and Sasuke scowled. He wasn’t looking for some ethics lesson.

"What if they're old?" He pitched his voice down and Itachi looked thoughtful at this.

"Well…let's hope they're not." His crow nudged Itachi who held out his hand to accept the clump of grass.

"And if they are?” Sasuke insisted. “Like I'm talking older than Kakashi old…reaching the Hokage kind of old." Itachi looked thoroughly amused at this. 

"Then we'll simply have to wait for nature to take its course."

"You mean for them to die." Sasuke's lips twitched at the morbidity of Itachi's joke and Itachi smiled at him.

"If that's how you interpret that, then so be it…why so many questions?" Sasuke deflated, eyes fixed back on his hangnail.

“I just don’t see why things need to change. Naruto’s already written like ten letters to Gaara,” Sasuke mumbled. “I didn’t even know he knew how to write.”

“I’m glad to hear you have such high opinions about your best friend.” Itachi joked and Sasuke snorted, tapping his fingers on the table.

“He’s so busy. We hardly spar anymore.”

Itachi offered Sasuke a sad smile. “Sometimes….especially when new, the marks can be a little overwhelming. It doesn’t mean you two won’t still be best friends.” It could take a bit for the newness and excitement to wear off.

“You and Shisui didn’t.” Sasuke couldn’t help but snap, but Itachi was patient with him. He leaned back in his chair, gazing out the window.

“Shisui and I had very different circumstances, as you know. Maintaining a friendship with him was no longer healthy for me.” That wasn’t the half of it. Sasuke was just a dumb kid when Itachi got his mark and he didn’t realize the importance of it was. He had liked Shisui as a kid, even if he was a bit annoying at times.When he dropped everything for his wife, it felt so out of character. The Shisui from before wouldn’t have chosen some girl over Itachi, even if he did have her name on him. It felt like a betrayal, and the bruise Itachi had following it all. It still made him mad to think about.

Ino Yamanaka actually had the nerve to approach him shortly after Katsumi and Shisui moved and accused Itachi of being the cause. Sasuke was never a patient boy, and he was never one to let anyone speak badly about his family, especially Itachi. Yeah, Ino was just parroting what Katsumi probably said to her, but Sasuke was not about to allow that sort of disrespect be directed at his brother.

So maybe he was a little blunt with her and maybe it wasn’t his finest moment, but he didn't regret it.

“Your cousin is a cunt.” He had said and was promptly reprimanded and punished by Iruka sensei.

Father had a fit when he came home and mother had been so disappointed in him. Itachi hadn’t condoned or condemned him for what he said, but the next time Sasuke visited him, Itachi had his favorite snack prepared. It was still Naruto’s favorite story to tell and Ino didn’t hold a grudge for long, she had punched him in the face when he came back for class next and that was it; no need for any more squabbles. 

“Yeah…sorry,” Sasuke mumbled, ashamed he even had mentioned it. It wasn’t Itachi’s fault he was unhappy about his mark and taking his frustration out on him felt cheap. Itachi didn’t seem too concerned, setting the grass clump aside as he petted the crow. “It’s just…I don’t even like the idiot…but it would have made sense for us to match. It would have been easy.”

 

And hadn’t Itachi heard that before.

He reached out for Sasuke’s hand, gently stroking his thumb over his knuckles. “I think you’re meant for a little more in this world than simply easy.”

 

Chapter 32: Expendable

Chapter Text

Naruto Uzumaki wasn’t a smart boy. He was told this very often, but it didn’t really bother him. Sure being smart could be helpful, but he liked the believe that he had more to offer than just how smart or how dumb he was. One this he wasn’t dumb about however was people. He knew people like Lee wore their hearts on their sleeves, while people like Shino didn’t. Not to mention everyone in between. So when Sasuke started acting a little weird, it caught Naruto’s attention. 

He had been acting more prickly and bastardly than usual, and that was saying something! He was more clipped with his responses and more tense, like he was waiting for a fight or something. Naturally, Naruto wanted to confront him about it. Even Sakura had noticed how Sasuke was acting, and seemed concerned. She told Naruto to not bother Sasuke, so naturally, Naruto did just the opposite. 

After training one day he tracked Sasuke down before he could run off, practically cornering him, demanding to know why Sasuke was being so cagey. At first, Sasuke had denied acting weird, had tried deflecting and leaving, but Naruto was persistent. It wasn’t until Naruto had tracked him down into the woods that Sasuke had sighed in defeat and confessed that he was unsettled by the marks and what they meant for their future. That had been surprising, Sasuke had never been the type to be worried about something like that. He had seemed to aloof about the marks, but now it seemed his concerns were finally coming to the forefront and he unloaded on Naruto. 

“Nothing is going to be the same.” Sasuke informed him, sitting on the ground, his back against the trunk of a tree. “These marks just take away another freedom, and completely tie us to someone we might not have even known or cared for before. All our other ties turn into nothing.”

Naruto would be lying if he said he hadn’t been nervous about his own mark. He was lucky it was Gaara. Gaara was a good friend, someone Naruto admired. He sat on the low branch above Sasuke and leaned back, balancing on the branch. “That’s life I guess. I mean Gaara is my soulmate and that’s great but that doesn’t change what we have, Teme.” Naruto swung his legs back and forth, watching the clouds roll by.

“It changes everything,” Sasuke argued. “Gaara’s going to be your priority, whatever was important to you before is now going to be secondary.” He had been afraid. What if this mark turned him into someone he didn’t recognize. Itachi’s mark had only made his existing feelings for Shisui stronger, but Sasuke never had to doubt Itachi’s love for him. They were different, Sasuke knew that Itachi would choose him if he ever had to. 

 Naruto shook his head at this. “I just don’t think a name on our skin should be in charge of our entire future.” He argued, seeming much more relaxed than Sasuke felt. “Whoever Juugo is, they’re your soulmate for a reason, just like me and Gaara, but we’re all still people and I don’t know about you but I don’t plan on just dropping our friendship.”

“You say that now, but the marks change something in your brain, especially when you see your soulmate for the first time after getting them.”

Naruto knew that was true, but still it seemed like an excuse to him. “So you’re saying when you meet this Juugo guy he’s gonna become more important than anyone else in your life?” He drawled. 

Sasuke looked annoyed by this question, but almost resigned as well. “I don’t know…I hope not but that’s how it tends to go. Even if he’s an asshole or someone I wouldn’t have looked at twice before.”

“Soooo what if you had to choose between your brother and Juugo?” Naruto asked, squinting down at Sasuke. “Would you choose Juugo?”

“Of course not!” Sasuke leapt to his feet, deeply offended, “Itachi’s…I’d always choose him. There’s no competition” 

“But he’s not your soulmate.” Naruto was watching him closely and Sasuke scowled, crossing his arms over his chest. 

“He’s more than that.” He replied. “He’s my brother.” He looked over to the treeline, feeling Naruto’s eyes fixed on him. The dobe grinned at him, looking far too pleased with himself as he suddenly pumped his fist into the air. 

Exactly! Like you got soulmates and you got friends and family and all that. Having a soulmate shouldn’t take over your entire life. Still gotta have priorities.” While Naruto’s words were aspiring and hopeful, Sasuke knew that it wouldn’t last. Once he was with Gaara things would change, he would change.

“You say that now, but my brother got completely fucked over by all of this.”

Naruto scowled in confusion, scratching his chin. “Meh, I mean not everyone gets their mark. Like Itachi-san or Kakashi-sensei. Kakashi doesn’t seem to upset and no offense but your brother-”

“Finish that sentence and I’ll throw you out of the tree.” Saske threatened, immediately cagey over someone speaking about his brother. Naruto puffed out his cheeks. 

“All I’m saying is that-”

“No, I don’t want to hear you try to psychoanalyze my brother.” Sasuke snapped. “You don’t know the situation.” Naruto held up his hands defensively before seeming to catch on and blinked at Sasuke who looked away. “Itachi’s situation was….different…it was more complicated than most soulmate cases.” 

“Itachi? I didn’t know he even had a mark.” He wouldn’t have figured Itachi had one. He thought he was like Kakashi and a few of the others that never had a mark to begin with; he never indicated otherwise.

“That’s because he never talks about it.” Sasuke explained, kicking a patch of dirt. “The person he ended up matching with used to be so close to him but they didn’t match him back…it ruined everything for them.”

Naruto hopped from the branch. “You mean they had a different soulmate? I’ve never even heard of that…but if this person he was matched with dropped him so easily then maybe maybe that person wasn’t all that great to begin with, and besides if this guy doesn’t want Itachi then Itachi doesn’t need him. There’s somethings that are more important than soulmates.”

“And that is?”

“Best friends…brothers.” Naruto replied before shoving Sasuke’s shoulder. “Whatever happened with your brother and his friend, it’s not gonna happen to us.” Sasuke knew Naruto meant well, but it did little to comfort him. He had seen what happened between Itachi and Shisui. After all Shisui had done to him, Itachi still hadn't fully let him go. He kept the letters Shisui wrote him, unread but saved and he still wore that necklace that Shisui had given him. He might say and think he had moved on, but part of him refused.

Naruto nudged his shoulder and Sasuke forced himself to nod, hoping that it wasn’t just Naruto’s naivety speaking. “Fine…let’s go,” It was better just to drop it for now and hope for the best. Naruto beamed at him, as if he had one some huge victory, but that mark on his skin could very well be the thing to ruin all that they had. 

 


 

It was tense at the apartment for the next few days. Shisui could practically feel the displeasure radiating off his wife, as if he had stepped in shit and dragged it through their home. The issue was that she would never just tell him what was bothering her, leaving it up to Shisui to figure out. He wasn’t a Yamanaka, he couldn’t just dive into people’s heads. He used to go out of his way to try to figure out what was upsetting Katsumi, desperately wanting to fix it, but after spending so much time walking on eggshells around her, he was tired of the emotional labor of it all.

Where Shisui used to just agree with Katsumi to ease the tension, he now became more defensive, no longer just letting things roll over him as he usually did. “I just don’t get why you’re trying to push me off on someone when I say I’m fine.” Shisui mumbled, feeling Katsumi’s eyes on him.

“You were willing when it was Itachi.” She argued and Shisui turned to her, aghast. 

“Are you really bringing this up again?” He asked, voice dripping in mortificiation. “Is this how every argument is going to go? I don’t clean the dishes and “oh I bet you would have for Itachi!’ or you try telling me to fuck someone else and ‘you would have fucked Itachi!” Shisui’s voice got higher as he mocked Katsumi. “Is that how you plan to win every argument now? By using him?”

“Would I be wrong?” Katsumi raised one elegant eyebrow at him, almost giving him a condescending look, like he was a silly little child or a dog who had pissed on her perfect floors. 

Yes!” Shisui snapped. “You would be! You told me I could fuck him and yeah, I fucked up. I didn’t tell you about his mark, but it’s been years. I followed you for your work, I’ve spent all this time making it up to you, not putting a fucking toe out of line and it’s still the only thing you have to say!”

“Because you still have feelings for Itachi.” Katusmi snapped, smacking her palm against the counter. “Even now I am still in competition with him!” 

“I left my home for you!” Shisui shouted, following after Katsumi as she stalked down the hall. “I gave up my responsibilities, my friendship with Itachi and my entire life for you!” 

Katsumi rolled her eyes, uninterested in Shisui’s hysterics. “Yes, after you cheated and lied to me.”

“You told me I could sleep with him!” Shisui barked. “It was all good and fine when you thought you were in complete control, because you always have to be in control! You can’t stand the idea that some things might not be about you!” Katsumi’s expression hardened, mouth pulling into a thin line as if fighting the urge to scream. She took a breath and Shisui stared at her, grasping at the chair to keep himself steady. 

“And you failed to tell me he had your name on his skin.” Katsumi replied, turning to grab her perfume bottle from the shelf, examining it in an obvious sign that she no longer wished to speak to Shisui. It was the same old argument going round and round in circles. “Regardless of what I told you, you still kept that secret from me and still gave Itachi false hope that he could be anything to you.”

“This isn’t about Itachi,” Shisui replied harshly. “I’ve let him go and you keep dragging him back into the middle of our relationship. You always do this. I’m sick of having to tiptoe around you, not knowing if you’re still pissed about it after you told me you had gotten over it.” Katsumi turned on him, the bottle she had been holding clutched between her fingers.

“You can’t just tell me to get over your infidelity.” She replied coldly, lifting her chin up. “I was patient with you, giving you a little freedom to simply have fun with no strings and you lied to me. It would have been different if I had known he had your fucking name etched on his skin. It never would have happened then.”

“Yet I only had your name, it was only ever you.” Shisui attempted to placate her, reaching for her hand but Katsumi jerked away. 

"But it could have been him. I never liked Itachi. At first I had wanted to but he made it impossible. He's got no class or pride, his own brother had to take his place as heir because he couldn't be trusted." She was looking for a fight, Shisui understood this but the thought of her insulting Itachi’s character felt like a cheap blow. 

"That's not fair! Itachi’s doing more important things with his life now, he’s doing better than the clan! You don’t even know the sacrifice he made." Shisui snapped and Katsumi smiled bitterly. 

“And you are very quick to get angry on his behalf. Life’s not fair. I don't want our children around someone like him."

What children Katsumi?” Shisui motioned to the empty room. “We have no one but ourselves, you aren’t even interested in trying for another kid.” They rarely slept with each other anymore. It was all such a chore now. “It’s not like you even want to be around me anymore, even before we left I was only a burden. My duties for the village meant nothing, all that mattered was you and your advancement.” Katsumi let out a barking laugh at this. 

“Because I have a real job, Shisui! I have a job where I don’t have to worry that I might not come home from! You are so brainwashed that you can’t fathom having a life where you aren’t expendable. You’re so blindly loyal to the village that you would choose it over your family every time! I don’t want that life Shisui. I don’t want my kids to have that life. Why would I want kids with a man who could be dead the next day, or a man who would likely slice the heads off his children if his precious Hokage said so!”

Shisui let out a shocked breath, stepping back. “You can’t-”

“Or what? Is the Hokage going to burst through the wall and execute me for speaking my mind? Is that what kind of world we live in? Grow up Shisui. Do you think I have fun with my work? I hate it, I hate that I’m forced to find solutions for all the kids of the village’s dead shinobi. These orphans that the village made. Hiruzen doesn’t care about them, they’re all just another piece in his fucking game!” 

Shisui closed his eyes, taking a steadying breath. He didn’t want to fight her, he knew she was angry and just spitting out venom to hurt him. “You wouldn’t understand, you’re a civilian. You have a completely different world point than I do. We both have to do our part to serve our village, but that doesn’t mean that’s all we are.” Shisui gently replied. 

“And you’re just a glorified attack dog.” Katsumi sneered. “I do what I have to do to keep myself safe. You do what you do because you can’t imagine a life where you’re not answering to someone else.”

“Then why marry me at all?” Shisui shook his head. “If I am such a mindless attack dog, why did you even marry me? You could have just gone about your merry way and been miserable with your fucking work and not have to deal with me, but no, you…you were more than happy to marry me, because I provided you status. My clan gave you the edge you needed for your fucking work.” He was looking at her as if he was unraveling something that he never had even considered before. 

“Don’t you dare fucking say that you had anything to do with my career!” Katsumi took a step towards Shisui, mouth curled into a snarl. The neighbors had to hear them, but she didn’t care. Not about what anyone thought.

Shisui shook his head. “How many of my clansmen helped you get new clients in, or gotten word out about you? You were a fringe member of the Yamanaka clan, and you needed something bigger to get your work noticed.” Shisui shook his head, posture relaxing as he stared at her. “It wasn’t me you wanted, it was the influence. Your work was good, but it was overlooked by the more influential names attached. The only way to ensure you any offers outside the village was by making sure everyone knew your name.”

“I was the one who pushed the company forward!” Katsumi’s voice was shaking. “I was the one putting all the hours in, if I needed a boost then fine, it was still all me.”

“So that’s your plan? To stay here and build up your career? Are we even going back to Konoha? Do you even want kids with me?” Had she promised him a future with kids just to ensure he followed her? Was it all a lie to keep him complacent? 

“I’m not interested in having this conversation with you.” Katsumi turned her back on him, making it clear that she was going to leave, that Shisui was annoying her with his endless questions. 

“Then why-” Katsumi sharply turned and lobbed the bottle at Shisui. It missed him, hitting the wall beside his head with a loud crash. It shattered into a million tiny pieces next to Shisui’s head, raining glass and oil all over the floor. 

“BECAUSE I NEVER WANTED YOU!” She screamed, stunning Shisui. “I wanted to live my life without being tied to some sanctimonious shinobi dog! I grew up being told that I would be a shinobi and once I got injured I was worth less than nothing to anyone! Then, once I start really getting a name for myself in my job I get stuck with you! The least I could get out of that match was the influence that came with it, it is the least you owe me after all that bullshit you put me through. I could have been anything, but instead I am trapped being married to someone I don’t even want!” 

Shisui stared at his wife and she stared back, chest heaving in anger. He could hear the glass cracking around him, the perfume filling the room with a sharp, floral scent. For the first time, Shisui felt like he had nothing else to say. It felt unnecessary to even speak again, like his words held no more value. He turned, shoulders sagging as he walked from the room, feeling Katsumi’s sharp eyes fixed on his back. For once, it was him walking away instead of her, and he wondered if there was anything worth salvaging between them. 

 

Chapter 33: Festival

Notes:

Well last chapter was definitely a big one for Shisui and Katsumi as well as Sasuke and Naruto.

Chapter Text

Festivals in Konoha were always a sight. The streets were lined with all sorts of vendors and families would gather by the bridge to watch the firework display. Sasuke had managed to ditch his parents in favor of looking for Itachi. It was a good thing too because his parents tended to get mushy at fireworks and the last thing he wanted to see was his mother dipping his father in for a kiss, again. There was only so much the teenage psyche could take and seeing his father literally swoon in his mother’s arms was not something he needed to deal with.

He had strode down the street, glancing at vendors with decorated knives, before deciding not to waste his money and kept going. He knew a bunch of rookie nine were going to be at the firework display. He found Itachi walking with Anko and Shinko, all three of them looking as if they had bought all the sweets from one of the street vendors. “A baby Uchiha approaches.” Shinko narrated as Sasuke walked up to them. Itachi smiled at the sight of him, a stick of wataame in his hand. A group of kids ran by, laughing and holding up green sparklers, ducking under Anko’s elbow while she shot a scowl at them. 

“I was wondering when I would see you,” Itachi greeted, "you must have escaped mother and father."

"Barely, dad was going on about their first festival and mom was batting her eyelashes. I know they do it on purpose." Itachi smiled at this, waving goodbye to Shinko and Anko as they walked off towards the fields, hand in hand. A vendor offering balloons to a group of children accidentally lost a green one and Itachi watched as the air carried it away.

“Regardless, are you enjoying yourself?” He turned to Sasuke who shrugged, glancing around the crowd.

“It’s a bit too much for me,” Sasuke admitted and Itachi smiled at him, clearly in agreement, and was likely only there because he was invited. "Apparently a girl showed up here this morning with Shino Aburame's name in her arm. I guess after she got it she did some sleuthing to find him."

"Oh that's sweet, are they here together?" Itachi asked and Sasuke nodded.

"Yeah, she marched right up to him and introduced herself, ballsy as can be, and Shino obviously is completely in love with her already." Opposites did attract so it wasn’t too surprising that Shino’s soulmate would be much more outgoing than he was.  

They walked down the road, stopping at some vendors to look over the merchandise on display. There were glass masks that reminded Sasuke of the ANBU mask Itachi used to wear, but much more elaborately painted. He could see Sakura and Ino at another stall, heads bent over something and giggling. He tugged Itachi’s sleeve and Itachi followed after him, munching away on his treat.

“Hmm, these taste good to you?” Itachi offered the wataame to Sasuke who scowled, ducking his head away from it as if he was being offered poison. 

“Do you even know how much sugar is in those?” He complained and Itachi shrugged, biting into it. “They’re so bad for you. How can you even eat it?” Sasuke asked him, looking offended just at the sight of the treat.

“Now you’re sounding like our mother.” Itachi teased Sasuke who threw his hands into the air in visible exasperation. 

“It’s cheap festival food, you’re probably gonna have food poisoning.” Sasuke ranted and Itachi tutted in response, glancing over to see if any of the food vendors had heard them, but luckily they didn’t seem to. 

“Tastes fine to me.” Itachi replied. “I think I’ll get another.” He craned his neck, searching for a vendor while Sasuke huffed at him, visibly exhausted by his brother. 

“How you’ve managed to survive this long with the crap you eat is beyond me. You’d be loaded if you didn’t spend so much on treats.” Itachi spotted the dango vendor several spaces away, looking at the long line in dismay. 

“I have plenty of healthy food at home.” Itachi was quick to argue and Sasuke scoffed at him, lightly shoving his shoulder. 

“Hot tea and plain rice doesn’t count as a nutritious meal.” He replied with a teasing grin and Itachi immediately reached out with his sugar coated fingers and jabbed him in the forehead, earning an indignant squawk from his brother. 

“Now you’re just being rude.” Itachi replied and Sasuke opened his mouth to complain when Itachi stuffed a wad of the wataame into his mouth. "There, that’s better.” He pat Sasuke’s cheek. 

Sasuke scowled before painfully swallowing the treat. “You just wait.” He replied. “I’m going to steal your tea collection one of these days.” A lone firework shot into the air and the brothers watched it burst in a spray of bright green. Itachi watched the flames fan out, the green illuminating his face. 

Sasuke could see that people were heading onto the lawns to watch the fireworks, spotting Lee and Neji sitting in the grass, sharing a snack with Tenten and Hinata who had joined them. He couldn’t see mother or father but they likely were out there somewhere, holding hands.

“Is that Naruto-kun?” Itachi asked and Sasuke glanced over to where Itachi was looking. Naruto and Kiba were at the ramen stand and Naruto waved his arms frantically at the sight of Sasuke who sighed, pretending not to see him, while Kiba lifted his hand in a rude gesture. Both had their faces painted for the festival, Kiba’s like a dog naturally and Naruto a bright green frog. 

He shook his head. “No, just some homeless guy. Don’t make eye contact.” Itachi, the asshole did not listen and waved at the pair who practically beamed in response, calling out greetings as if Itachi were their big brother. Sasuke knew they were only doing it to piss him off and it was working. “Is it okay if I….” Sasuke let the question hang and Itachi smiled at him, inclining his head.

“Go on,” He waved him off. “Have fun.” Sasuke snorted, lightly pushing on Itachi’s shoulder before stuffing his hands in his pockets and striding over to Naruto and Kiba, the very picture of cool. 

Itachi watched him go, sticking the rest of his treat in his mouth just as Naruto shoved Sasuke with a screech of delight that had several people looking over their shoulders at him. Three fireworks went into the air and Itachi watched the sky light up in an array of colors, light raining down and illuminating off the lake. 

Itachi felt a sudden presence at his back, and he remained very still as a mouth came down to whisper in his ear.

 “Mahh, how many treats have you had, Itachi?” Kakashi Hatake teased, hands stuffed in his pockets.

“This is only my second.” Itachi replied primly, turning to face his former captain. Kakashi’s eyes crinkled in the corners and he waggled a finger in Itachi’s face.

“That was awfully defensive, Itachi-kun.” He replied and Itachi swatted at his hand, stifling a smile. 

“I feel like I am being accused of something,” he replied and Kakashi placed his hand against his heart, as if wounded. 

“I am a gentleman, Itachi. I would never make such heinous accusations about your character. I apologize if you took offense to my observation.”  

Itachi snorted in a very undignified way, haughtily lifting his chin as he studied Kakashi. “You can apologize by getting me another treat.” Certainly bold of him but Kakashi was visibly amused by it. 

“You strike a hard bargain, kid.” 

Kakashi made a show of offering Itachi his arm. Once, Itachi would never have accepted it. Would never act so carefree and young in a public space, now he graciously accepted the arm. They walked down the sidewalk, another firework going off and illuminating the streets in blue. Might Gai was seated on the edge of a fence with Genma, Kurenai and Asuma standing along with him. He waved at Kakashi who saluted him, before leading Itachi towards the street. The entire area was shut down just for the festival, the usual shops had closed down or opened up pop up stores for the event. The Yamanka’s had set up a flower stall and like every year they made a lot of money from couples wishing to get each other flower’s. Lee had bought two bouquets for Neji, one for the beginning of the festival and one for the end. 

Itachi glanced at the green paper chains decorating the wall near the food stalls, courtesy of the youngest academy attendees. They walked up to the dango vendor, the line having gone down significantly. “I was just kidding about you getting me dango,” Itachi explained as they waited. “I can buy it myself.”

Nonsense,” Kakashi waved him off. “Might as well get in good with the future Hokage.” He teased and Itachi hid a smirk with his hand.

“Ahh, so you wish to buy my approval.” He breathed in fake offense and Kakashi snickered, taking some money from his wallet as they approached the counter, quickly looking over the menu before ordering. He spotted Shino Aburame walking down the path, and at his side was a red headed girl with glasses who could only be the soulmate Sasuke had mentioned. She was chatting away happily to Shino who was hanging on her every word. The early days of meeting your match was always the most intense and it seemed to be no different for the two of them.

Kakashi had ordered a matcha dango, immediately popping one of the balls into his mouth and taking Itachi’s order and handing it to him. Itachi gratefully accepted the dango stick, admiring it for a moment. 

“You gonna join us on the grass?” Kakashi asked as they walked back down the street. “We can grab drinks on the way?” Itachi could see Sasuke with Kiba and Naruto, but they seemed to be adding more and more to their group. He smiled, popping a piece of dango into his mouth before turning to Kakashi. 

“I owe you for the dango, I can get us drinks and meet you there. You’ll be with Asuma-san and the others?” 

“Yeah,” Kakashi nodded and pointed to the group that was still seated by the fence. “You really don’t owe me anything though.” It wasn’t like Itachi was old enough to order them beers, but there was a nice bubble tea vendor that they had both been eyeing earlier. 

“I insist,” Itachi replied, “I feel bad you even bought me my dango.” He popped another ball into his mouth and Kakashi huffed out a sigh. 

“Okay, okay fine you win. We’ll be right there when you’re done.” He shook his head. “Not used to having friends who aren’t cheap bastards.”

“My parents are married.” Itachi argued and Kakashi stared at him before Itachi’s sly smile gave him away. 

He laughed, crossing his arms over his chest. “So you do have a sense of humor! You’ve been holding out on me.” He glanced over his shoulder to where the others were gathered. 

Itachi waved him off, "Go on, I'll be right behind you." Kakashi snickered, offering him a teasing salute before slipping into the crowd. Itachi strode over the tea stall, ordering two bubble teas, paying the man before stepping aside to wait. Sasuke’s teammate Sakura and her friend Ino walked by, both waving at Itachi as they passed and Itachi watched as they joined their group of friends who were waiting at the ramen stall, rowdily greeting each other.

The vendor called Itachi’s order and he took the teas, thanking the man before slipping back into the crowd. It was as he was approaching the field that he realized someone was watching him. He slowed down, instincts immediately having him on edge.

"Didn't expect to see you here," a voice suddenly called out behind him and Itachi turned, blinking in surprise as he watched Tenma approach. 

"I could say the same about you," he greeted, forcing his still tense shoulders to relax. "I thought you were in the Land of Waves."

"Got back this afternoon," Tenma shrugged as he fell into step with Itachi. "Shinko invited me out with her and Anko. 

"Last I saw they were on the fiends for the fireworks." He could see Might Gai perched on the fence like a crow, looking over the crowd in open delight. "You can come with me if you'd like." 

"Sounds good to me." Gai's bright green tracksuit made it easy for Itachi to spot and they approached the group as Gai turned and spotted Itachi, waving in greeting.

"Welcome, Itachi! And Tenma, good to see you as well!" He called out and Kakashi glanced up from where he was sprawled in the grass.

"Hello Gai-san," Itachi greeted him and the rest of the gathered group, handing Kakashi his tea. Anko and Shinko had joined the group and waved at them, a large amount of snacks between them.

"So that’s why you ditched me," Tenma plopped down on Shinko's other side, swiftly swiping up one of their snacks. 

"We ditched you because you were too slow to keep up." Anko corrected him, laying back in the grass while Shinko handed her some candy. Itachi sat by Genma who was bumming a cigarette off Asuma. The fireworks had begun and several red and yellow lights burst into the sky, and the audience cheered in approval.

"Yamato still not back from Iwa?" Genma asked Iruka, who shook his head. “I thought he was supposed to be back yesterday.”

"Not for another few days. He's been delayed along the road by flooding." There had been several rain storms around Iwa so it was hardly surprising that the roads were washed out. He shook his head again as Asuma offered him a cigarette. Asuma turned to offer one to Itachi but both Gai and Kakashi were quick to loudly voice he was only eighteen. Asuma shrugged and pulled away, leaning back against Kurenai. 

 "Don't see the issue. I started smoking at fifteen." He defended himself and Kurenai shoved his shoulder, trying not to smile.

"And that's hardly something to brag about." She scolded while Asuma batted his eyes at her. Genma snickered, lighting his cigarette despite Gai's complaints about his lungs. Anko reached over to Itachi and handed him some of her coveted candy that Itachi graciously accepted. Overhead, the sky was illuminated in blue light, followed quickly by an array of colors that cast the field in a warm glow. Itachi watched the sky light up, each firework bursting into the night sky. People were laughing and children were yelling in excitement as they watched the display. Summer was approaching and it was the perfect way to start.

“Itachi.” Another firework went off, green flashing before his eyes and he turned at the sound of his name to see Shisui Uchiha standing behind him, the green light shining off his face.

 

 

Chapter 34: Return

Chapter Text

The sounds of fireworks exploding in the distance now sounded muffled, as if Itachi was hearing them from underwater. He could see the area around him bursting into an array of color and standing at the center of it was Shisui. Itachi stood, slowly as if not sure if he needed to flee or remain. “Shisui.” Itachi greeted, voice hollow and the others turned at it, spotting Shisui and calling out his name in surprise. 

Shisui!” There were bellows of greetings, many jumping to their feet to greet him but Itachi stood frozen in place. Shisui smiled as Gai thumped him on his back and Kurenai hugged him, but it was uncertain and his eyes always came back to Itachi. Itachi felt Kakashi come to stand at his side, arms crossed over his chest as he watched the others greet Shisui. Most didn’t know the full truth, and that suited Itachi just fine. Kakashi however did and he nodded stiffly to Shisui in greeting, a clear indication that there was little he wished to say to him.

“You okay?” Itachi heard Kakashi whisper and he nodded without looking at him, not trusting his expression to remain as placid as it currently was. 

 “I am. Thank you.” A high whistle sounded from the sky, more lights bursting out, but all of it felt dull. It was then that Itachi realized that his mark, that had been aching for the last couple of years, no longer seemed to be bothering him.

The group pulled back, Anko giving Shisui a final friendly shove before asking what he was doing back. “Couldn’t miss the village’s festivals. You all know no one pulls a party like Konoha.” Shisui’s tone was joining but there was unease in his eyes. He looked to Itachi again who had not moved to greet him, a pillar of ice. “Can we-can we talk?” Shisui’s eyes darted from Itachi to Kakashi who stood behind him like a spector. 

Kakashi looked at Itachi, waiting for his reaction and Itachi nodded. “I’ll be just a moment, Kakashi.” He assured him and Kakashi fixed a lingering look at Shisui before backing up. Itachi stepped forward and motioned for Shisui to follow him away from the group who was happily chatting and watching as a burst of purple lit the sky. They walked away from the fields and Itachi could feel Shisui’s eyes on his back. They turned a corner down towards the bridge where no one was and Itachi finally turned to face Shisui. He was looking at him with a peculiar expression on his face, almost wistful and it made Itachi uncomfortable. 

“You wished to talk.” Itachi reminded him and Shisui blinked.

“Uhh,” he fumbled. “How have you been?” Itachi frowned at this, visibly displeased by the question. 

Small talk. Lovely. 

“Fine.” Itachi replied shortly and Shisui’s smile wavered. He looked away and Itachi could see the shadows beneath his eyes. 

“You and Kakashi seem close.” He began awkwardly and Itachi’s expression tightened. How dare he speak like he had any right to judge Itachi or those he spent his time with. It was none of his business. 

“Yes.” he didn’t bother elaborating further. 

“Are you guys…” The insinuation felt like an accusation.

“I don’t see how that is any of your business?” He didn’t owe Shisui any explanation and he did not appreciate the wounded look on his face. “Why are you looking at me like that?” Shisui’s eyes were fixed on Itachi, almost mesmerized and it was unnerving. He looked like he was close to tears. 

“Yeah, I…sorry it’s just…you look…”Shisui’s eyes moved down Itachi’s body before meeting his eyes again. “You look amazing.” 

Itachi looked away in embarrassment. “I didn’t expect you to be back here.” He didn’t know what exactly Shisui was playing at, but he didn’t like the way that he was looking at him.

Shisui smiled and shifted his weight from his left to right foot. “I wrote you letters…they were never returned so I can at least assume you got them.” Shisui looked away, absently scratching his throat.

“I did,” Itachi replied with a curt nod and Shisui smiled.

“You didn’t read them.” He guessed and Itachi nodded. “I figured you might not.” There was an extended pause of uncomfortable silence. “I didn’t want to just show up at your house and…I don’t know, after how I left I wanted to make sure you didn’t feel like I was cornering you.” His expression cleared into something uncertain, almost nervous and it did not suit him at all. Itachi straightened his posture, wanting to get this over with.

“Well, here we are. What did you wish to speak to me about?” He didn’t want to be here, didn’t want Shisui speaking to him and looking at him the way he was. 

“I just…you’re doing so well for yourself,” Shisui smiled at him, a genuine smile that only rackled Itachi. “I didn’t expect you to have so many friends. You never were the type for large crowds when we…” His voice trailed off.

“I’ve made friends here,” Itachi confirmed. “They’re all good to me. If you expected me to simply sit around and gather dust while you lived your life then you are sadly mistaken.”

“No! I’m happy for you. I’m really glad you’ve branched out, you deserve it.” He sounded so genuine and kind but all it did was make Itachi uncomfortable. 

“Why are you here, Shisui?” he finally asked just as another firework exploded in the air, showering the sky in yellow. With Shisui’s back to the fireworks, it cast his face in the shadows. 

“I’m back here, for good. Got back this morning.” So, he and his wife were back from Suna. Itachi had figured they would eventually return, but he had hoped, selfishly, that they wouldn’t. He nodded his head, fighting the urge to simply run and leave Shisui where he stood. The clan was going to be thrilled. Itachi had slowly begun building bridges with some of them, but now it felt like with Shisui back it was meaningless. 

“Welcome back.” He finally managed to speak up and Shisui winced, as if he could feel Itachi’s contempt.

“Itachi-”

“Shisui, you should go to your wife.” Itachi turned to leave, walking down the wooden walkway and back towards the market square. “I’m sure she is wondering where you are.”

"We're divorcing." 

The words felt loud, a bang across the bridge more jarring than any firework. Itachi turned, and Shisui still stood in the middle of the street, just looking at him. His arms dangled by his sides as if they were too heavy for him to move. "Katsumi and I…" Shisui blinked, his throat bobbing. “It’s over. She’s staying for her work and I...well I’m back home.” He spoke so sadly, as if he wasn’t sure what to do and despite himself, Itachi couldn’t simply walk away and leave him like this.

“I’m sorry Shisui,” He replied, choosing his words carefully. “I know how much you loved her.” It hurt to say, even now but the pain was manageable. 

“I…thank you.” Shisui looked down at his feet. “We finally became honest with ourselves and each other. We just weren’t meant to be. She wanted…well, we both wanted different things I suppose.” Itachi hadn’t heard of soulmates separating, but then again he hadn’t had much experience outside the village or watching his parent’s embarrassing but loving relationship. 

“She’s not returning?”

“No…I don’t think she ever wished to. We had a fight and I left for the night so we could take time to think I guess.The next day we sat down and talked. Katsumi told me she had no intention of returning and that now that her work had kicked off she wanted to dedicate her time to it.” He looked embarrassed, as if he was telling Itachi something he’d rather not. Part of Itachi was thrilled to know that she wasn’t coming back, but seeing Shisui’s defeated expression sobered up any cruel satisfaction he might have felt.

"I'm sorry." He said again. Shisui nodded his thanks, lowering his eyes.

“I’d like to be friends again,” Shisui whispered. “I want to make up for all the wrong I’ve done.”

Itachi shook his head. “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Itachi-” The sound of his voice had whatever walls Itachi had built crumbling. 

“No. You will not guilt me into anything. I am not some toy you take out and play with when you get bored, only to collect dust when you have something better to do. I am not here for your pleasure, or for your approval. You do not own me!” With each word, Itachi felt his anger rise. Shisui had no right to waltz up to Itachi and expect him to have been waiting for him, like some faithful dog.

“Itachi, I know I-” Itachi was not having it. He was done letting Shisui speak over him. He kept speaking, unable and unwilling to stop. He spent years letting others speak over him and now he was the one speaking.

Furthermore, I did not like the person I was turning into when I was with you. I don’t like how you made me feel or how the mark dictated my every step. You had me waiting in the wings while you got to live your perfect charmed life with your perfect beautiful wife. I was your dirty secret and I will not stand for it, Shisui Uchiha. I gave up so much for you. I chipped off pieces of myself to ensure that you were whole, and for once I wanted to be selfish. I wanted to matter. I wanted someone to choose me. I wanted you to want me, to fear losing me. But no, I didn’t matter. Not as long as you could have your happy ending with your picture perfect family.”

Shisui opened his mouth to speak, to cut Itachi off but Itachi refused. He was done letting Shisui Uchiha dictate his life. In the distance, the fireworks had reached their finale, and the sky was alight with color. If Shisui thought he was just going to waltz in here and itachi was going to drop everything for him then he was sorely mistaken. 

“You knew I loved you even before I received my mark, but it did not matter,” he pushed on, voice getting a bit louder. “I did not fit into your envisioned life. I was willing to do everything it took to make you happy and you were more than willing to take. There you stood overflowing with my devotion and offering me not even a drop in return. You could not be bothered to turn my way or offer even a scrap of the adulation that you bestow so easily upon her while you still expected to remain wherever you left me when you were done with me. I deserve better. You were not good enough for me.”

It was probably the most Itachi had ever said in a single sentence and by the end of his angry tirade, his chest was heaving and Shisui was staring at him with those shining eyes. The dull cheer of the crowd at the end of the firework display felt far away, as if in another world. 

“I am so sorry that I treated you that way,” Shisui finally spoke, his voice rough and tight. “Itachi, I am so sorry for everything I did. You were-you still are the one person in this world that looked at me like I mattered, that treated me like Shisui, and I disregarded that, more than that, I took advantage of your loyalty to me, completely undeserving of it. I am so sorry for all of it, and I will accept and respect whatever you tell me.”

Itachi watched him for a long moment, tense and uncomfortable before taking a step back.“I am going now, and you will leave me in peace.” He turned around, walking back towards the field before hesitating. He breathed out, hand pressed to the building next to him. “Welcome home, Shisui.” He turned to look at Shisui who had not moved an inch from where Itachi had left him. It was odd, being the one to walk away and yet liberating. It went against every instinct Itachi had and his mark throbbed in discomfort. He suddenly wanted to be home, in his bed and forget about Shisui’s shadow ever falling over him.

“Thank you.” Shisui smiled at him again, and it seemed to light up his entire face. “It was really good to see you, Itachi.” Itachi nodded, turning his back on Shisui and slowly walking back towards the field, Shisui’s eyes following him all the way.

 

Chapter 35: Home

Notes:

Just wanna clarify something. The Twitter poll isn't concrete on the endgame ship. Perhaps it will be shiita, perhaps not. I would hate to give away the ending so quickly.

Chapter Text

Konoha smelled like home; there was no other way Shisui could describe it. Even while traveling from Suna and back, he had known he was at the border without having to simply look at the scenery. The air just seemed to have that scent about it. Something Shisui couldn’t place, but knew was home. Leaving Suna and Katsumi was necessary. Katsumi obviously had no desire for him to remain and Shisui hadn’t felt like he was home since even before they began fighting. Still, it felt like he was failing when he walked out of those gates, knowing that his wife was staying behind. That day they had finally spoken honestly was both cathartic and heartbreaking. Shisui loved her, he truly had and now he wondered if she had ever felt the same. 

In the end she had gotten what she wanted, and Shisui was left fumbling. Shisui had left early in the morning and Katsumi hadn’t bothered to see him off. Why would she? They were practically strangers now. For part of the journey, Shisui had simply felt sorry for himself. He was like a kicked dog running home with its tail between its legs. How was he going to explain this to everyone? How was he going to return to his home, now empty and alone. No wife, no child, just Shisui. Then, as soon as he saw that familiar forest, his uncertainty turned to excitement. He was finally home.

Home was empty.

It felt odd to enter with no one around. He should have been accustomed to it, having been there on his own for as long as he been.  Now, he didn't know what to do with himself. It felt like starting over.

He avoided the empty room that should have belonged to a baby, or a toddler by this point had they lived. Would things have been different if the child had survived? Would they still have gone to Suna or would they have remained in the village, raising their baby and loving each other. It felt unnecessary to torture himself with what ifs. Shisui couldn’t help it. He had wanted this perfect ending, though he had earned it and Katsumi had seemed so poised, so brilliant and kind. Had she been rolling her eyes behind his back this entire time? It felt like a waste.

He had been both excited and terrified to return to the village, excited to be home with his family and terrified they would judge him for coming back alone. Soulmates didn't divorce, it just wasn't a thing. At least Shisui had never heard of it, but it felt necessary when he asked Katsumi for one. Why would he stay in a one-sided marriage? Her pride certainly took a hit when he asked and Shisui felt like trash, but he was setting them both free.

He was greeted with enthusiasm by almost everyone, even those he had a little bit of tension with when he left. It felt like coming home was what he really needed. Fugaku and Mikoto had welcomed him home graciously, but cautioned him to not expect everyone to be excited to see him. They meant Sasuke and Shisui had been glad that he hadn’t run into the kid before he went to find Itachi. His cousins were happy to see him as were his friends. Kakashi Hatake however had looked at him with barely contained disappointment and Shisui could hardly blame him.

Then there was Itachi…

He wasn’t sure how he expected Itachi to react. He wasn’t so dense that he thought Itachi was going to simply fall into his arms the moment they saw each other. He had no right to assume Itachi would have simply waited for him, yet when he came back and saw Itachi…When he had left Itachi was still a kid, and still so uncertain about his future. Now, he was older, wiser and held himself with so much poise and elegance that it was breathtaking. He was breathtaking. He had grown, shoulders broader and face sharper. He was beautiful, like something out of a myth. Shisui felt unworthy to even gaze upon him.

 Then Itachi spoke to him. Shisui had never felt so small in his life. Itachi hadn’t held back, pouring all his pain out for Shisui to see but refusing to allow Shisui to take the upper hand.

How could Shisui do anything other than respect his wishes? Itachi had suffered time and time again because of him. Itachi was stuck with a mark that offered him nothing but pain. Shisui never thought he would ever be capable of treating Itachi the way he did, and yet now here he was. He was now facing the consequences of his own actions and he knew he deserved it.

Itachi was too good for him, Itachi did deserve better and it was high time he realized it. Shisui was proud of him. 

Itachi had grown up into a gorgeous and confident young man, and he left Shisui in the dust, where he belonged. 

 


 

It was oddly liberating to have finally said what he did to Shisui. As if a dam had broken, spilling out all of Itachi’s toxicities and pain. He hadn’t yelled, had barely raised his voice, but the message had been clear all the same. When he had returned to the group, he had been exhausted, as if his entire social meter had reached the end. Kakashi had given him an odd look, and Itachi wondered if he could guess how the conversation went. If he did, he was far too polite to bring it up and had simply bid him a good night and left him for the evening. Itachi walked home both satisfied and tired. He had sent a very clear message; he was no longer Shisui’s side show and he never would be again.

Days passed and Itachi went back to his duties, content for the first time in a while. There was no pushback about his conversation with Shisui, and instead Shisui seemed happy to simply be back home. Itachi continued reporting to Hiruzen, aiding the Hokage in any way he could. It wasn’t exactly a secret that Hiruzen was preparing him to take his place, and it seemed those who knew had no complaints. Danzo would be rolling in his grave, and part of itachi wished he and Shisui could laugh about that together. Despite everything, Danzo had been wrong and would continue to be so. The Uchiha were thriving and one waited in the wings to someday protect and guide the village. 

There was a new tea set sitting at his front door when Itachi returned from grocery shopping. He stared at it for a long moment before glancing around, as if the person who left it would be waiting in the shadows. There was no one around. Itachi carefully set down his bag before lifting up the tea set. It was a delicate brown paper box with thin ribbons wrapped around it.

He recognized the ribbon on it as from a local shop he enjoyed. The tea there was particularly expensive so Itachi would only go there on occasion. It did not take much guessing on who sent it, and for a moment Itachi considered simply dropping the set and walking inside. 

However, it was very good tea. 

Sighing, Itachi bent down, gathering his groceries and holding onto the set. When he got to his front door, he fumbled for his keys and slipped inside. The blinds were pulled down, leaving the apartment dark and cool. Itachi set his groceries down and placed the tea set on the table, along with his keys. He was scheduled to meet Hiruzen later that day, and Itachi glanced up at the clock to ensure he had enough time before he needed to report. He still had several medical oils he needed to go through and put in inventory. He had been helping the medical team put together kits for shinobi when they traveled out of the village and they had sent two boxes of supplies for Itachi to put together. Those he could finish by the evening of his meeting did not go too long and he could bring them directly to the barracks.

There was a message on the answering machine from Shizune, confirming a meeting time with Lady Tsunade who had finally made a permanent residence in the village as the head of the hospital. Another message was from Genma regarding drop off times for the supplies. Itachi listened to each before deleting them. He put the groceries away, wiping down the counter and double checking the expiration date on the endame.There was still half an hour before he needed to head out, but if he left a little early then he wouldn't have to rush. He ran into Izumi on his way out, or she was standing at his door waiting and beamed at the sight of him; she must have been waiting for him.

“Hello Izumi.” He greeted her.

“Oh, hello!” She waved at him, that smile still in place. He wondered why she was there. They didn’t hang out together and Izumi was often busy with the academy and her husband, who she had married last month. “Shisui’s back,” She commented, obviously in an attempt to fill the awkward silence. 

“Yes, for a few days now.” Itachi replied as he locked the door behind him. Even after she had matched with her soulmate there were times where Itachi would catch her looking at him. Not quite as she used to, but something more wistful, as if curious. Itachi knew that she used to have a crush on him, and had been upset when she hadn’t received his name and part of him wondered if things would have been simpler for him if he had matched her. It felt ridiculous to think about; he had no feelings for her and having a mark really shouldn’t have been the thing to change it. She was happy with her soulmate, but sometimes she looked at Itachi as if she pitied him.

“They’re having a welcoming party at the compound,” Izumi informed him. “You’re welcome to come.” So that was why she was here. She had always wanted Itachi to be part of the clan again, seeing him pull away as some sort of tragedy. 

“I have plans.” Itachi immediately replied and Izumi frowned. 

“I didn’t even tell you a date or time.” She argued, following him as he walked down the sidewalk.

“And I will still have plans.” He didn’t bother looking at her, knowing she would eventually grow annoyed with him enough to leave. She seemed adamant to follow after him, her stride not as long as his.

“I know you didn’t like his wife much, but Shisui really needs our support now.  Did you not hear that he and Katsumi are divorcing?” She rushed forward to keep pace, brushing her hair from her face.

“I did.”

“And that’s it?” Izumi slowed down, staring at him. You’re just going to ignore your best friend? He could really benefit from having you there for him, Itachi.”

“Shisui has plenty of friends in this village. It is not my job to cater to him.” It wasn’t and Itachi did not appreciate Izumi trying to insert herself somewhere she was not wanted. She had a tendency of taking on other people’s issues as her own and while she had good intentions ot usually came off as a bit sanctimonious. 

“I never took you to be someone so selfish.” She murmured, an obvious attempt to shame him. 

Itachi turned on Izumi, startling her enough for her to stumble to a halt. “I am busy.” He informed her in a clipped tone. “And I do not owe you or him any explanation of what I do with my time.”

“He’s your best friend.” She scolded him, hands on her hips as if she were his mother and he was a misbehaving child.

“Was,” Itachi coldly replied. “I grew up and moved on with my life, perhaps it’s time that you did the same.” If he was speaking to her or Shisui it did not matter. Izumi jutted out her chin, shoulders squaring before she turned, storming away in a huff. He didn't feel bad. Why would he? Shisui had plenty of friends within the clan and Itachi had no interest in playing pretend just to please Izumi.

For the most part, Shisui respected Itachi's wishes. Itachi didn't run into him on the street or at the Hokage's residence. He never worried that Shisui would corner him and force a confrontation. Sasuke was not happy when he learned Shisui was back. He was a little old to try fighting him but didn't bother hiding his disdain for him. Sasuke’s icy disregard could sting more than his hits.

Still, Itachi would occasionally come home to a new gift outside his door and try as he might, Itachi was touched that Shisui knew all his favorite treats as well as the intricately designed knife set that must have cost him an entire mission's pay. It would have been wiser to simply throw the gifts out, and sometimes he would give some of the treats away to Shinko, but for the most part, like the letters he took the gifts. There wasn’t anything to it, but he wondered if it was why he still wore the necklace. Something kept him from completely letting go, even if he wanted to.

That night he met the group for drinks, or he met them for the snacks they provided while they drank. Kakashi was not there, having delayed finishing his reports to the last minute and was now scrambling. Itachi had offered to help him, but Kakashi waved him off with assurances that he was a big boy and he ought to finish them on his own. The group met at Genma and Gai's place. Gai had gone as far as to bake cookies for their guests in the shape of little knives; he always was the best host.

"Shisui's out on a mission." Genma handed a beer to Yamato. "Guess Hiruzen was thrilled to have him back on the field. It wasn't surprising that Shisui would throw himself back into his duties so soon after returning. He hadn’t even been medically cleared with Lady Tsunade, but it seemed he was eager to return to duty. Itachi could hardly fault him for that. If he were in Shisui's shoes he would have leaped at the first chance to return to the field.

"Have you gotten the chance to see Shisui much?" Gai asked in concern as picked up a cookie. "I know you too were very close comrades."

"We've spoken," Itachi replied, leaving it at that. Genma had for the third time tried offering Itachi a drink and Yamato for the third time had to remind him that Itachi wasn't technically old enough. 

“Kind of stupid that we can send him out to kill some dignitry or fuck him, but we can’t let the kid enjoy one drink in the safety of a friend’s home.” Genma had drawled and Yamato had paused. A good argument, definitely not a new one. Genma offered Itachi the glass and Yamato had inclined his head. 

“I really shouldn’t,” Itachi argued even as he took the glass. It wasn’t as if he had never drank before, but never with friends. It was almost exciting. He drank from the glass and Genma grinned in triumph. Gai offered Itachi the cookie tray while Yamato bemoaned becoming a bad influence, and Itachi simply enjoyed their company.

 This was what having friends was like, at least more than a single friend. He felt like he belonged, not just as an Uchiha or as a shinobi but a person. Itachi wasn’t sure how he had managed without them. He would be okay, he knew in the end he would be.

 

Chapter 36: Shisui

Notes:

Shisui has some dark thoughts in this chapter

Chapter Text

 The life of a shinobi hangs by a delicate thread. At any moment, you could be called upon to give up everything for the village. Each day meant the difference between life and death. A shinobi could be leaving their home for the last time and not even know it. This was a lesson that every ninja of Konohagakure had to learn. You could lose your mother, father, sibling or loved one and somehow, you were expected to accept it and move on. How many times had a loved one left home for a mission, only to return under a sheet or not return at all? How many children were left waiting at the door for a mother or father who would never be there again?

Itachi had a knock on the door early in the afternoon, he had just returned from the Hokage's office and had settled down to look over his assignments. He hadn’t been expecting visitors. Sasuke was out of the village on a mission and he hadn’t made any plans to visit anyone. When he opened the door, he resisted the immediate urge to close it again.

It was Izumi. Again. She was persistent, Itachi would give her that. “Izumi.” He greeted. She looked at him, biting her lower lip and shuffled from her left to right foot. Itachi’s patience hung by a precarious thread and her awkwardly shifting around only seemed to worsen it. “May I help you?” He wanted to close the door on his face and continue about his day, whatever new guilt tripping machination she had could wait.

"Itachi, Shisui got hurt on his mission." Izumi spoke in a rush and Itachi hesitated. Injuries during missions were perfectly normal, any seasoned Shinobi knew the risks associated with their work. Izumi knew that so that worried expression on her face did not sit right with Itachi.

"How bad?" He asked, voice soft. Izumi looked at him for a moment, her large, dark eyes seeming to see straight through him.

"He has some broken bones and lacerations…he's awake but not completely lucid yet." Izumi explained. "The drugs in his system are keeping him pretty mellow for now. A few of us went to see him when he woke up…but he wasn’t too interested in talking to us.”

"Will he recover? It’s nothing permanent?" Itachi questioned, that nervous panic rising angrily in his chest. It felt wrong, this was wrong.

“No, nothing permanent.” She confirmed, brushing her hair behind her ear and avoiding Itachi’s eyes as she glanced almost anxiously down the road. 

“Good. Thank you for telling me.” Itachi didn’t know what to do with himself. It wasn’t the first time Shisui was hospitalized, and likely wouldn’t be the last. Itachi moved to close the door again when Izumi took a breath and reached out, fingers brushing Itachi’s wrist.

"Itachi, he asked for you." Itachi didn’t move for a long moment, eyes fixed on Izumi’s slender fingers as they nervously danced across his arm, as if resisting the urge to grasp him. 

It would have been simpler to refuse and simply close the door as he planned, however that small voice in the back of his head stalled him. If he didn’t go and something went wrong…if Shisui died…Itachi did not even want to finish that train of thought. 

The hospital lights were always jarringly bright, the smell of antiseptic seeming to be a permanent fixture throughout the halls. Izumi led Itachi to the waiting area, glancing back now and then to make sure he didn’t try to leave. There were some family members gathered in the waiting room when Itachi and Izumi arrived. Inabi turned to Itachi and nodded. “He’s been asking for you since he woke up.” He whispered, glancing down the hall to where Itachi assumed Shiusi’s room was.

“How is he?” Itachi asked and Inabi shrugged, lips twitching into an almost amused smile.

“He’ll live, but he’s got some scarring.” He confirmed. “Apparently he’s been raving about you to the nurses, waxing poetry practically. Your parents left ten minutes ago.” The fact that Inabi was having a cordial conversation with him was rare, he couldn’t recall the last time they had exchanged any pleasantries.

Several nursing staff rushed by and Itachi spotted Lady Tsunade following behind, her eyes swiveled to meet his and she nodded before disappearing around the corner. Shisui’s room was just down the hall, and Inoabi motioned that he should go to him. It felt almost unsettling to make that short walk to Shisui’s room. The entire walk to the hospital with Izumi had been a haze, as if Itachi was in a dream. It wasn’t the first time Shisui had been injured during a mission, but it was the first time that Itachi didn’t know if he was welcome. He approached the door and peered in, spotting Shisui’s mop of curls peeking over the covers.

“Let’s give them some privacy,” Itachi heard Tekka murmur and he felt Izumi give his shoulder a reassuring squeeze before they backed away, heading back towards the waiting area and leaving Itachi alone. 

Itachi took a breath and walked into the room. On the bed lay Shisui. His arm was in a sling and the right side of his face was badly bruised and his eye looked reddened as if he had burst blood vessels. He turned his head towards the door and spotted Itachi. “There he is,” Shisui breathed, a loopy and dazed smile crossing his face. "Aren't you a sight for sore eyes." He was reaching for Itachi, that drugged smile still spread across his face as he waggled his fingers. Itachi walked over to him, reaching out and letting Shisui’s fingers brush his own.

"How are you feeling?" Itachi sat down by Shisui, not bothering to pull his hand free.

"A little too drugged to know, but right now I feel great." Shisui’s reactions were slowed, his smile a little dazed and his eyes a bit too shiny. Izumi had explained on the way over that Shisui was caught in a trap set by some enemy shinobi. His team had walked away unscathed, but Shisui hadn’t been so lucky. It was a crude explosive device that had blown up a nearby tree when Shisui had carelessly stepped on the wire. The explosion had sent debris flying, chunks of wood that had splintered into cutting points and Shisui had been caught off guard and unfortunately had not been able to escape in time. 

Itachi’s relief was nearly palpable. Shisui was wounded, but he would live. “You’re lucky you weren’t killed.” Itachi informed him and Shisui laughed, giving Itachi’s hand a little squeeze.

Fuck, I missed you.” He lifted Itachi’s hand so he could kiss his knuckles and Itachi felt that all too familiar tingle run down his spine. “It was careless of me, I know. I was arrogant in thinking I could jump back into the thick of things.” Shisui usually didn’t make mistakes like that. Had he returned to duty too soon? He was never cleared with the head medic and Itachi could only imagine how she would react to this. Lady Tsunade didn’t have the patience for carelessness and Shisui was certainly in for an earful. 

“You shouldn’t have rushed yourself into the field, now you’re only delaying yourself further.” Itachi explained, fixing Shisui with a stern look that seemed to have him properly chastised. Shisui sank back against the bed, blowing air from his pursed lips. 

“I know it’s just…I felt useless in Suna, like I had no path of my own. I was just sitting around and waiting. Coming back was…well, I just didn’t want to feel useless anymore.” Itachi could understand that sentiment. Had he not pushed himself to the edge again and again for the sake of the village? Shisui being away for so long and having his purpose taken away from him must have felt like a prison sentence.  

“You could never be useless,” Itachi assured him. “The Hokage understands your situation, and he would be more than willing to help you as needed.” Shisui jumping into a dangerous situation so flippantly had Itachi’s stomach churning unpleasantly. As a child, he had always looked up to Shisui as what a shinobi should strive to be; loyal, level headed and wise. Physical prowess was good and all, but a good shinobi knew when to fight and when to step back. Shisui once would have known better than to galvant through enemy territory without a proper scan of the perimeter. 

“I know,” Shisui looked away, pulling his hands back to nervously smooth down the blanket. “I don’t know what I was thinking.” Itachi was tempted to tell Shisui that he hadn’t been thinking at all, but it felt like Shisui was beating himself up enough for the both of them.

“You’re home now Shisui, take time to heal and rest.” There was an irony in Itachi advising Shisui to relax, but he ignored it. 

“I know, I know. You’re right of course” Shisui laughed at this, eyes moving to stare at Itachi. "Being back home is great, but I know it's not home without you." 

There was a prolonged moment of silence. "Are those the drugs talking?" Itachi leaned back in his seat, avoiding Shisui’s glassy gaze.

"No, it’s just me." Shisui whispered with a sad sort of smile. “Just me…”

Itachi glanced at the clock on the wall, watching it tick. Everything felt too much in that moment. The lights, the sound of the clock and Shisui’s doleful gaze against his wounded face. “I have to go now, Shisui.” His voice sounded far away and he mechanically rose to his feet, feeling Shisui’s eyes on him. “Get some rest, Shisui.” He walked away, eyes fixed on the door that seemed so very far out of his reach. 

"Itachi," Shisui called out to him and Itachi stopped walking, taking a deep breath before turning. Shisui was looking at him with a morose expression, his bruised cheek a stark contrast against the bleached pillows. "I know I was a shitty lover and an even worse friend, but please don't hate me forever." Shisui blinked, eyes glittering and Itachi ignored the pang he felt in his stomach. "I don't think I could handle it if you hate me forever."

"I don't hate you, Shisui." Itachi replied. "I'm just immensely disappointed." He could never hate Shisui, but the way Shisui had made him feel was unacceptable.

"That's even worse." Shisui replied somberly, deflating against his pillow. “I never wanted to be someone you could be disappointed in…I’m so sorry, Itachi…I really am.” He sounded dejected, as if Itachi’s displeasure with him left a physical wound. 

This had been his own doing, his arrogance and cruelty but Itachi could not stand that lost expression on his face. He could not stand the idea that Shisui could have been killed during that mission and died believing Itachi hated him. 

"When you are well, I will visit you." Itachi assured him and Shisui’s responding smile was hopeful.

When Itachi made his way down to the lobby, he was surprised to see Mikoto was waiting for him. The others were not present, likely sent back home by Mikoto who smiled at Itachi as he approached. Itachi now stood taller than his mother, but something about her always managed to make him feel safe, as if he could still be her son. She reached for him and cupped his cheek with her small hand. 

“You spoke to him?” She asked and Itachi didn’t have to guess who she was referring to.

“I did.” He confirmed, following his mother as she led him down the hall away from the receptionist desk. Large windows overlooked the village and Mikoto stood, gazing out of one and watching as people passed by. 

“He had been asking for you since he woke up,” She stated. “He had no interest in seeing anyone else, not his aunt, not Fugaku and not his wife.” Itachi felt her eyes shift to study him and he kept his eyes locked out the window. “The only one he wished to see was you.” Itachi swallowed, watching as a group of academy students raced down the road, laughing as they headed towards the market. Itachi hadn’t thought of Katsumi since she had left, careful to not allow her to slip into his mind. Mikoto had liked her, everyone had liked her and he could only guess how they felt about an impending divorce. 

“Shisui did not leave Sunagakure on the best terms with his wife,” He genially replied and Mikoto hummed in response. She saw right through him, Itachi didn’t even bother trying to doubt it. Still, he didn’t want to see the disappointment in her eyes when she looked at him, knowing what he had done with a married man.

"I will not make assumptions on what occurred between you and Shisui before he left." Mikoto finally spoke after a moment. “Frankly, it is not my business and I won’t pretend otherwise. But I do know that you have a mark on your skin and Shisui’s wife is no longer in the picture.” It almost sounded like she was excusing Itachi, giving him an excuse. 

“Mother?” 

"Do not limit yourself, Itachi." Mikoto murmured as she gazed out the window. "You have given up enough, I think you deserve a little happiness." Itachi could see both their reflections in the mirror, same dark eyes and long hair, the same aloof expressions on both their faces. Then, through the reflection, Mikoto smiled at him, and slowly, Itachi smiled back.

 


 

When Shisui was discharged from the hospital a week later, he made the lonely walk home. Lady Tsunade had ripped him a new one for “galavanting into enemy territory with his cock swinging.” She certainly had a way with words. It had taken time to remove some of the shrapnel from his body. The fact that his eye wasn’t taken out was a miracle. Despite Tsunade’s brusque lecture and the sub par food, Shisui hadn’t really wanted to leave. 

He didn't look forward to going to his empty, cold house. He didn't look forward to eating in silence with only the walls for company. Tekka had offered to walk him home, but Shisui didn’t feel right about relying on the man to walk him through his door. Aunty had stopped by several times to check on him, calling him a stubborn fool before promising to make him a hot meal once he was home again. 

It was late by the time he was discharged, he had assured the medical staff that he could make it on his own. He was hardly the first stubborn shinobi they had contended with. He accepted the crutches offered to him, and walked-hobbled into the night. The walk was lonely, no one would be waiting for him. He had limped into his empty house and hobbled into the kitchen, setting his keys down. He didn’t have much of an appetite at the moment, more interested in sleeping in his own bed. He was afraid to sleep though, because that would only give him time to think.

He had been so stupid. He knew better than to blindly walk into unknown territory. He could have cost his entire squad their lives, luckily it had been only him who paid for his foolishness. Still, that moment where he stepped on the wire and heard that click had been terrifying. It almost felt like slow motion; the tree exploded and Shisui had been flung like a ragdoll across the field, adrenaline pumping and absolutely numb. 

When that numbness had worn off, his world had been nothing but searing pain. He couldn’t breath, couldn’t think. All he had been able to do was lay on that patch of grass and gasp for air as blood had bubbled from the chunk of wood sticking out of his chest. That bubbling, gurgling sound his chest made would haunt him. 

He was lucky to be alive. Fugaku, Tsuande and Itachi had all been quick to inform him, lucky he hadn’t returned in a scroll. He thought he would die in that forest, thought it was all over and he was almost happy. Happy to have that agonizing pain end, but also, in the dark recesses of his mind, Shisui thought dying would be alright. It was selfish of him to find comfort in death, but what else did he have to live for? His soulmate and wife didn’t want him, his best friend and most precious person had finally had enough and wasn’t it an honor to die for one’s village? Wasn’t that what Shisui was ultimately meant to do?

He lived.

He was alive and it was best to brush away any dark thoughts he may have had. There was no point in letting it fester. He was home now, and it was time to move on.

He had been preparing to get ready for bed, taking his medication when he spotted it. Sitting on the table was a small box with a small envelope placed beside it. Shisui shuffled over to the table and opened the box. Pain relievers and several gift cards to local delivery services were neatly stacked together, along with a fresh loaf of bread and an assortment of green tea. Shisui picked up the note and immediately recognized the handwriting. 

 

'I will be over tomorrow morning.  Take your medication and get some rest.’

Itachi

 

Shisui smiled, setting the message back down, fingers pressing against Itachi’s name, circling over the ‘c’ almost tenderly. He slept well that night, better than he had in weeks.

Early the next morning, as Shisui had shuffled into the kitchen, there was a knock on his door and Shisui knew immediately who it was. His palms felt too sweaty and he had to take several calming breaths before hesitantly hobbling over to the door and opening it.

Itachi stood at the door with a basket of food and he smiled and in that moment, Shisui truly felt like he had come home.

 

Chapter 37: Healing

Chapter Text

The next few weeks proved to be an extremely slow healing process for Shisui. Itachi would check on him each day and Auntie each evening to help him with anything he may need. Anko stopped by a few times along with some of the guys, and Shisui’s fear of being alone slowly dissipated. He still had friends here, he still was wanted. It made everything worth it. He hadn’t burnt all his bridges by leaving, he still mattered to those around him.

Itachi was his most constant companion, ensuring he was going to any medical appointments and not wallowing in his own misery. There was still that tension, that shaky unease between them, but still, Itachi did not abandon him. He was methodical with ensuring Shisui had everything he would need for the day. With Shisui taken off missions completely for the next two months, it left him without much to do. He couldn’t exactly hobble to the market for food every day and the gift cards could only last so long. Apparently taking a chunk of wood in the chest was considered a severe injury.

Who knew?

The recovery was arduous, Shisui would wake up some nights, breathless with pain as the medication would wear off. He was careful not to take too many painkillers. Plenty of shinobi had fallen to addiction and Shisui did not wish to be one of them. So he would lay in bed and deal with it. He was miserable those nights, staring up at the ceiling in a cold sweat and unable to relax his muscles or get his mind to just stop

Some nights, he would be so exhausted, so miserable and in pain that he would want to call Itachi, and would want to hear his voice. He couldn’t bring himself to bother him. Couldn’t stand the idea of pushing him. Itachi wouldn’t spend the night. That seemed to be the one rule he would not break. Shisui never pushed for more, accepting and appreciating whatever Itachi thought fit to offer him. He’d leave Shisui at night, promising to see him again and Shisui waited with anticipation for each time he would return. 

Those bad nights however, it seemed that Itachi sensed something was wrong and he was there in minutes. Maybe it was his mark warning Itachi that something was wrong, or maybe he just knew deep down. He wouldn’t sleep over those nights, but he would stay up with Shisui and offer him a steady hand when needed. In the mornings Shisui would wake up rested and alone. He never felt bad about it though, because he knew Itachi would be there.

Itachi was busy. Even without taking time out of his day to care for Shisui, he was always on the go. Shisui then learned that Itachi was no longer in ANBU and was in fact readying himself to become Hokage . It shouldn't have been surprising, there was no successor more worthy than Itachi. Still, it had taken so long for Shisui to find out. He felt like he was the last to know, and how do you even talk to someone about that? Shisui felt like he needed to get Itachi a gift or something; like a fruit basket.

“Are you nervous? Excited?”

“I’m not sure how I feel.” Itachi admitted softly, labeling the bottle of healing oil and setting it aside. 

“You’re going to be amazing.” Shisui breathed in awe and Itachi smiled at him, uncertain but genuine. 

Itachi cooked for him, helped him keep the house clean and for the first couple of weeks even helped him bathe and use the restroom. He saw Shisui at his lowest and he didn’t flinch. He was steady, a safety line for Shisui to cling to if needed. Shisui didn’t know how he had gotten so lucky, and he appreciated Itachi for it all. The small things like making his tea just as he liked it as well as the big. Auntie would visit and look at Shisui like something was deeply amusing to her, not that she’d ever tell him. While still busy, it seemed Itachi learned how to take time to occasionally slow down. With Itachi no longer in the ANBU, it gave him more time within the village. Sometimes he would bring his paperwork to Shisui’s home and work there.

Shisui’s injuries began to heal, the worst would leave permanent scars across his chest and shoulder, but he was alive and he was functioning.  When Shisui was cleared for light duty and training, it was like sunshine personified had blessed his home. It was only paperwork and light walks, but it was better than bumbling around his house like an idiot. 

Sasuke still didn't trust him, not that Shisui blamed him. 

He’d come over occasionally with a few of his friends, it was mostly just to see Itachi but it was nice to have visitors nonetheless. Ino Yamanaka sometimes tagged along and would look at Shisui like he was a puzzle she was trying to solve. Shisui could see Katsumi in the shape of her jaw and the shade of her eyes, the confident way Ino held herself reminded him of her . It wasn’t as difficult as he thought it would be. Seeing those hints of Katsumi in her cousin didn’t cause him any pain, didn’t make him miss her. It was just an observation that would sometimes make him pause, as if she was watching him and judging. 

Maybe it had all been wrong, maybe Shisui's mark being Katsumi had been a huge mistake and it had always been Itachi. He no longer looked at Katsumi's name and felt that over-powering adoration for her, if anything looking at her name made him uneasy. She hadn’t been meant to be his soulmate and it took him far too long to realize that. It had always been Itachi who supported him, who treated him like he was loved, like he mattered. It was Itachi who found comfort in his company, while Katsumi had preferred her solitude. Itachi was Shisui’s most constant, most loyal and most precious person and he was home.

Their friendship reblossomed. They would take time to train together, pushing each other as they always had. It was like no time had passed at all. Months passed, and Shisui continued to heal. When he was finally fully medically cleared he was ecstatic.  He felt like a person again and not just a burden. He wasn’t going to make the same mistakes as last time and was smart about the missions he took, not wanting to end up back in the hospital or worse. 

Itachi forgave him and Shisui would do whatever it took to be worthy of that forgiveness. 

From that friendship, the romance sort of snuck up on them when Itachi kissed Shisui goodnight under a flickering streetlight. It had been a spur of the moment decision and he had apologized profusely for it.

"I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over me." Itachi looked mortified and the only thing Shisui could think to do was kiss him back, silencing him.

"Is this okay?" He asked, forehead pressed to Itachi's.

"I don't know." Itachi whispered, eyes fixed on Shisui. "I think it is." Shisui kissed him again. He didn’t want to mess it up, but he had been so nervous when kissing Itachi that he had begun to laugh uncontrollably against his mouth and Itachi had quickly joined in, grasping at Shisui’s shoulder to keep himself upright. Kissing Itachi, inhaling Itachi’s scent and looking into his eyes made Shisui feel like he was on top of the world.

They had sex, there was no other way to put it. It wasn’t like in the past with Itachi blindly following Shisui’s lead. He seemed interested in taking initiative, remembering what Shisui liked and having the confidence to make the first move. Shisui would lay in bed, watching as Itachi walked around the bedroom completely naked and comfortable in his own skin. He had grown into a beautiful young man, long limbed and slender, the coltish awkwardness from his teenage years had melted away. Maybe Shisui was being biased, but seeing Itachi, being with him made him feel like the luckiest man in the world. No one could compare. Itachi was the most exquisite human being Shisui had ever laid eyes on.

Itachi would gently touch his scars, fingers tracing the angry raised red lines, followed by his lips. He touched Shisui with such tender devotion that sometimes Shisui wondered what he had done to deserve him. Any fears he might have had about his scars, any self consciousness now seemed foolish. If Itachi Uchiha could still look at him and touch him with the same kindness, then perhaps Shisui needed to accept himself as well.

 


 

Itachi hadn’t anticipated getting close to Shisui again. He certainly hadn't expected to go as far as he did. Shisui had wormed his way back into his heart. It took time, but they were now at a place where they could be open and honest with each other. There was nothing for Itachi to compete with, nothing to distract Shisui. He enjoyed taking care of Shisui, his love language was caring and being able to offer Shisui companionship when he was at his lowest felt necessary. 

Shisui's accident could have ended so much worse and perhaps it had started as pity, but Itachi had missed Shisui as if he was bereft of his own limb. It made sense that they would find each other again, their friendship somehow strong enough to outlast it all. It blossomed back into friendship and the romance just came naturally and four months to the date of Shisui’s return to the village, Shisui asked him out. 

"You wish to date me?" Itachi had questioned once he had found his voice and Shisui had awkwardly cleared his throat.

"I don't want to push you into anything you're not ready for or interested in," Shisui explained while they sat at the Naka River, watching the sunrise. "I just know that I love you and I think about you all the time…if you're not interested that's completely fine. I'm happy to be anything to you, whatever you want me to-"

Itachi kissed him to shut him up. 

He accepted.

They were an official couple, not some secret but out and open and people supported them. Their first date was at a local restaurant and Shisui had held his hand. Itachi was never the type for public displays of affection, but he found that he loved having Shisui hold his hand, and adored linking their fingers together as they walked down the street. Their hands fit together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, perfectly matched. 

Sasuke hadn’t been overly thrilled when Itachi told him, but assured Itachi that he supported him no matter what. Kakashi had been hesitant upon hearing the news, genuinely concerned for Itachi and Itachi appreciated his care more than words could describe. It would be easy to fall in love with Kakashi. Kakashi treated him with respect and kindness, there was never any ulterior motivation on his part.

"Are you sure?" Kakashi asked as he had stared at his untouched ramen, eyes narrowed. “I remember what happened last time. I just don’t want you to be disappointed again.”

"Kakashi…thank you." Itachi looked up from his food, his chest feeling warm as he watched his former captain. 

Kakashi blinked.  "For what?" Around them other customers rumbled about their day, laughing and idly chatting. 

"For caring about me? For being a good friend?” Itachi stirred his food, uncomfortable at being so open but knowing Kakashi deserved it. “Take your pick, I appreciate all you've done for me." Kakashi had supported him, and had wanted nothing but happiness for Itachi. He had been a steady presence after Shisui had left for Suna.

"C'mon kid, you're one of us. Wasn't going to leave you behind." Kakashi offered him a lazy smile. "You come to me if you need anything, alright?" Kakashi felt safe, despite all his hardships and his reputation, he was a good man, a gentle man and Itachi was lucky to be counted among his friends. 

"I will."

Fairy Tales were for children, but maybe that didn't mean someone could have their happy ending. Itachi’s mark hummed as if alive, as if Shisui’s touch soothed some deep pain. He kept his residence in the village, but spent most of his nights at Shisui’s house. If they weren’t busy with work or other tasks, they were together. Even Hiruzen had made an idle comment that Itachi seemed happier.

Itachi was happier.

He could kiss Shisui in public if he wanted to, not that he ever would be so vulgar but it was the freedom that counted. He wasn’t a secret or the other. He was Itachi and Shisui now looked at him with those loving eyes, he now held his hand like he was important. He even went over to Shisui’s Auntie for tea and she seemed pleased at the sight of him.  His mark, that had caused him nothing but pain for so long, was now soothed, Shisui's name now a promise instead of a taunt.

Eventually Kakashi and even Sasuke began to warm back up to Shisui. Sasuke would hang out with them, share stories from missions or seek advice. Kakashi began inviting Shisui along with Itachi when they would all hang out. All of Itachi’s most important people were getting along and were all together. His parents were happy to see Itachi happy.

Itachi was happy and Shisui continued to look at him like he hung on the moon. For once, Itachi felt like he was worthy, that he did matter. It had taken nearly seven years, but Itachi was finally with the person he had always been meant for.

 

Chapter 38: Moving

Notes:

They fuq

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It was in the quiet of the night, two months into their relationship that Shisui asked Itachi to move in with him. “You don’t have to immediately if you don’t want to, but you always have a place with me, if you want it.” He spoke in barely a whisper as they lay on the roof of Itachi’s apartment, watching the stars.

Itachi could hear a buzzing in his head and he turned to Shisui who was still looking up at the sky.  "Shisui?” He wasn’t sure he had heard him right and Shisui smiled at this.

Shisui's laugh had a nervous edge to it. “I know it’s sudden, but I can’t imagine my life without you.” He chanced a quick glance at Itachi, a stray curl falling across his temple. It was a huge step, and Shisui looked so earnest.

Itachi reached out, fingertips brushing Shisui's hand. "I'd love to." He replied just as softly. "My lease doesn't let out for another five months, but afterwards I would love to move in." Shisui visibly relaxed at this, practically melting into the roof.

"I can wait another five months." Shisui squeezed Itachi's hand. "Although I will definitely miss this roof view." Shisui's face was silhouetted by a street light below and the stars cast enough light to make him glow. He was right. It was a nice view.

Itachi scooted closer, hand brushing down Shisui’s chest. "It's getting a bit cold," he lied. "Would you like to go back inside?" Shisui's responding grin told Itachi that he knew he was full of shit.

"You're right." Shisui sat up, "It is a bit chilly." He rose to follow after Itachi who opened the skylight to the apartment. Itachi slipped through the skylight, landing silently onto the floor below, with Shisui following. Itachi had barely had the chance to straighten back up when Shisui quickly had him pinned against the wall, his hand shoving down the front of his pants and his other immediately covering his mouth to stifle the startled moan that escaped him. Shisui’s calloused fingers wrapped around him, thumb stroking the tip as he buried his face against Itachi’s neck, sucking a small bruise against his flesh.

“You’re certainly…eager.” Itachi panted out and Shisui hummed in response, fingers working over Itachi and feeling his underwear dampen. 

"And you're making a mess," Shisui teased in his ear. “You’re already so wet.” He could feel Itachi bucking against him, whimpering as Shisui's slick fingers moved down the base of his cock. Itachi couldn’t formulate a sentence, head tipped back as his hips rocked against Shisui’s palm. Shisui chuckled, his hand moving to curve over his ass.

"Shisui, you-oh-" Itachi’s voice trailed off as Shisui used one hand to spread him open. His fingers worked inside Itachi, curling inside him and it was only his body keeping Itachi pinned that kept his legs from completely failing him. He pulled back so he could study his expression, admiring the pink hue of his cheeks.

"Take off your clothes." He murmured, tugging off his shirt and tossing it aside. Itachi, always the obedient soldier, did as he was told, slipping out of his pants and neatly folding them and setting them aside. They moved in the dark towards the bed, nearly stumbling over the ledge and giggling like children as they groped along the railing, Shisui practically pushing Itachi away from the edge and down against the mattress. Shisui crawled forward, resting his cheek against Itachi’s knee, a smile on his face as he looked at him.

"What?" Itachi murmured, hair fanned around his face.

"Nothing." Shisui pressed his lips against Itachi’s knee. "Just admiring the view." He took pleasure in the way Itachi’s cheeks reddened at the compliment. His eyes traveled to his hip, lingering on the mark there, like a brand almost and Shisui wished his would match. He moved his fingers down his leg before grabbing his thighs and pushing them up, practically bending Itachi in half, eyes shining and his grin nearly feral. Itachi’s hole was pink and glistening and Shisui wanted to completely wreck it.

"Shisui-" Itachi’s voice was strained and precum was leaking from his cock. Shisui would take care of that in a moment, but currently he wanted to taste Itachi’s pretty hole, wanted Itachi to come undone under his tongue.

A hot, wet tongue slid down the tense muscle of Itachi's inner thigh, delighting in the breathless moan it produced. Shisui  paused there, teasing the soft, pale flesh, then slid further down and tenderly licked at his throbbing balls, taking one into his mouth and rolling it with his tongue. Itachi's naked body arched off the bed as he inhaled sharply, one hand desperately reaching to grasp and tangle in Shisui's curly hair.

"Shisui…" he moaned again as Shisui's tongue traveled further to press against his perineum. "Shisui please…."

One of Shisui’s hands moved from where they were cradling his hip to wrap around his cock, stroking it with assured fingers. Shisui's tongue slipped tantalizingly close to his twitching entrance, breath puffing hot against it. He moved his thumb over the slickened, pink hole. 

"Do you want me to kiss you here, baby? Fuck you with my tongue?" He asked, voice slightly breathless. Itachi nodded, fighting the urge to push against Shisui’s mouth. "Gotta use your words, Itachi." He teased, using his fingers to spread Itachi open, openly admiring the view.

"Please, Shisui," Itachi breathed out, licking his lips. "Please fuck me with your tongue." Itachi very rarely swore and Shisui always took pride in being the one person that could make him do so.

He could hardly deny Itachi after such a pretty plea. He pressed his tongue against Itachi’s hole, before stabbing it inside him, working his jaw as he gripped Itachi’s hips, fingers digging into his flesh. Itachi moaned, pulling his knees up closer to his chest, spreading his thighs as much as he could. Shisui lathered his hole with attention, tongue fucking into him before pulling out, circling around with lewd wet noises. A slick finger penetrated Itachi and slowly began to slide in and out of him, stretching him. He added another finger, curling them and carefully watching Itachi’s expression. Itachi's head was titled back, the corners of his lips turned up and his thick eyelashes glistening.

"My pretty baby," Shisui crooned. "You like my tongue and fingers inside you? You're doing so good, Itachi. Such a good boy." As expected, the praise had its desired effect. Itachi's mouth opened and a wail escaped him, hips rocking against Shisui’s fingers as they fucked him open.

"Shisui, please I can't-"

"Have you sit on my cock or let me fuck into you, stretch you out. I know you can take it, Itachi. You’re so good for me, so good for this." Itachi's breathing was ragged and his cock was hard as Shisui's eyes drifted down to it. He wrapped his fingers around his length, pumping him and Itachi breathed out, a ragged cry escaping him.

"I could make you come just by telling you what a good boy you are, wouldn't even need to touch your pretty cock or pretty pink hole." Itachi trembled against him, hips bucking up as Shisui gave him a little squeeze.

"Shi-Shisui, I-"

"Shh, shhh come on baby." Shisui hushed him, moving his hand faster. Itachi's toes curled, legs jerking at the sensation. Itachi tenses, practically levitating off the bed as he came, Shisui whispering praise and encouragement in his ear. Shisui slickened fingers spread Itachi’s cum over his heaving stomach, leaning down to kiss him.

"You doing okay?" He whispered against Itachi’s lips and Itachi nodded, hand moving to cup Shisui’s jaw, a little breathless but smiling nonetheless.

He stretched out, reminding Shisui of a cat before turning over and rising from the bed to push Shisui down. He splayed his fingers over Shisui’s stomach, stroking the curls over his cock. "Is this okay?" Itachi asked.

"Yeah," Shisui croaked. "That's fine, that's cool." Itachi smiled before pressing his lips against Shisui’s stomach, tongue dragging up his heated skin. Shisui breathed out, fingers scrambling over the sheets as Itachi moved lower, a wicked smile curling over his lips. Itachi took Shisui into his mouth, pleased at the ragged breath that escaped him.The necklace Shisui gave him dangled from his neck as he bobbed his head, taking Shisui in deeper.

Shisui reached for Itachi’s hair, fingers curling over the loose strands and tugging, hearing Itachi moan around him. Itachi's tongue curled around him, slurping him down obscenely. Itachi could take him to the edge and leave him if he so chose. He had done it plenty of times before.

Like the sadistic bastard he was, Itachi wasn't going to let him come that easily. He pulled back with an audible pop, a strand of saliva connecting his lips to Shisui’s leaking cock. Shisui moved to sit up but Itachi pressed his hand against his chest, easing him back down. Shisui silently did as he was bid, eyes fixed on Itachi as he crawled over, raising his hips over Shisui’s.

“Well I -shit !” Itachi sank onto him, hips rocking forward and Shisui immediately reached to grasp his hip.

“Keep your hands to yourself,” Itachi ordered in that first born clean head bossy voice of his. Shisui’s fingers twitched but he did as he was told. Itachi rose up, hips poised and Shisui’s tip still nudging against his entrance, then he sank back down and Shisui’s head fell against the pillow with a strangled moan.e pillow, content to simply watch and admire as Itachi fucked himself on his cock, how own cock bouncing back to life. Itachi’s hands drifted down to take Shisui’s hands, moving them to either side of his waist. Always on his terms, Shisui grinned in delight and Itachi smiled back, bracing on Shisui’s arms.

Shisui’s head fell back and he whimpered, hips lifting, wanting to get deeper, needing to be deeper and Itachi breathed out his name like a prayer. “Shit, hey Itachi I’m gonna-” Itachi didn’t like to have Shisui come inside him, didn’t like the mess, but when Shisui moved to lift Itachi away, Itachi pressed down.

“I want you to come inside me,” He murmured, hand moving to stroke Shisui’s jaw. “Want you…want you to leak from me.”

Shit !” Shisui’s grip on Itachi’s hips tightened and Itachi whispered his name as a reward.




 

Shisui awoke early the next morning to Itachi slipping from the bed. He rolled onto his side with a yawn, staring openly at Itachi’s bare ass. “We could always spend the day in bed, you know.” He teased with a sleepy grin and Itachi shot him an amused look.

“I can’t stay, I’m traveling with the Sandaime for his talks with Kiri.” Itachi reminded him as he strode across the room and swiped his shirt off the floor. “I have to be at the office in two hours.” Oh yes, Itachi had mentioned he would be leaving for the peace talks. 

“How long will you be gone?” Shisui asked as he rested his chin in his palm, watching his lover. 

“Talks are in three days so I’m not due back for a week.”Itachi replied as he pulled his shirt over his head. The alleged peace talks with Kirigakure made Shisui nervous. On the one hand he understood they were trying to strive for a more peaceful future, on the other they weren’t called the Bloody Mist for nothing.

“Be careful." Shisui murmured as Itachi turned back to offer him a smile. He walked back over to the bed and pressed his lips against Shisui’s. 

“When am I not careful?” He retaliated, lightly patting Shisui’s jaw. Shisui snorted, watching as he slipped down the ladder to make his way to the bathroom. Shisui sighed, resting his hands behind his head as he gazed up at the skylight. Life was good, life was pretty much perfect.

Later in the week he went to visit Auntie. She was tending to her gardens, an oversized hat on her head and a basket of mushrooms sitting beside her. Shisui helped her gather any ripe vegetables, placing them in the basket. “I want to ask Itachi to marry me,” Shisui explained. “Once this mess with Katsumi is cleared up.” He already had the ring, nothing flashy or overly out there, just a nice band that he wanted Itachi to have.

“Oh? When?” Auntie lived for this sort of stuff. She settled her basket down, watching Shisui as he absently traced his fingers in the soil. 

“I’d like to ask him when he gets back from his mission.” He had considered asking Itachi the night before he left, but he didn’t want to distract him when he had to go on such a critical mission. 

“That’s only a day or so away.” Auntie pointed out. “Have you taken the time to really think this through? Any plans on where you’ll ask him, have you even spoken to his father?”

“I know it’s quick, but Itachi was always…we were meant for each other, even if it took me a while to realize it.”

Auntie smiled at him, her weathered hands curling around a mushroom. "That's the beauty love, sometimes it sneaks up on you when you least expect it to." 

Shisui left her house feeling lighter than ever, the ring tucked in his pocket and hopefully would be at home on Itachi’s finger when he returned tomorrow evening. He would need to speak to Fugaku and Mikoto and of course Sasuke before he did anything, hopefully he would have their blessing or at least their begrudging acceptance. He walked up the walkway leading to his house, rehearsing how he would propose in his head. 

He wouldn’t do anything in public, Itachi valued his privacy and would likely hate having all those eyes on him. The rooftop of the apartment didn’t feel right nor did the asking over dinner. The one thing that kept coming back to him was to propose at Naka River. It had been pivotal in so many stages of their relationship and it felt right to be the place to ask Itachi to marry him. Private and secluded with a beautiful sunset. Man, Shisui could already picture it in his head. Shisui opened the door, flicking on the lights, his steps light as he strode into the kitchen, setting his keys down.

He took the ring from his pocket, admiring it in the kitchen lighting. He had looked at it so many times, blackened metal with gold flecks, like fire encircling the band. He had obsessed over the design, not wanting something gaudy and bulky, but also not wanting to insult Itachi by getting something tiny and flaky. Now, he had the perfect ring, made by his own hand resting in his palm.

The thing about happy endings is that sometimes something comes up to tarnish that glow. He walked into the living room and took a breath. Sitting on the couch was Katsumi, hands folded delicately over her lap.

 

Notes:

Oh fuck

Chapter 39: Crumbling

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Shisui,” Katsumi greeted him without standing. She had cut her hair, Shisui noticed immediately. Instead of it flowing over her shoulders, it was now cut into a sharp angle to her shoulders. It made her look older, not in a bad way but in a professional sense. She was dressed in casual clothes instead of her usual more formal wear. She still had the other key to the house. Shisui hadn’t even thought to change the locks, hadn’t even considered the possibility that she would end up back in his home. She was watching him with that calculating expression on her face and Shisui fought not to cringe under it.

“Katsumi.” He replied stiffly, not sure what else to do. Katsumi tilted her head, her arched eyebrows furrowing as she studied him. Sometimes she made him feel like a mouse being hunted. She might not be a shinobi but there was something about her that left Shisui feeling intimidated. 

“Is that all you have to say to me, Shisui?” She asked, brushing her golden hair behind her ear. Shisui shrugged, careful to keep his own expression placid and unreadable. Shisui shrugged, pocketing Itachi’s ring as he walked around the living room. He felt restless, like he was unable to relax or slow down. Outside he could hear excited shouting as a group of children raced by, a dog yipping and following after them. It would be nice to be outside right now, it felt very stifling in the house all of a sudden.

“Didn’t think I’d see you back here.” Shisui glanced over at her. “Thought you’d be staying in Suna for awhile longer, or are you here to finalize the divorce? I can give you the paperwork if you need it.” He hadn’t thought she would bother coming all the way to Konoha for paperwork that could be delivered right to her.

“That’s…I’m not here for that.” She absently brushed invisible dirt off her leg, glancing around the living room as if looking for any changes. 

“Then why are you here?” Shisui asked briskly, not wanting her in his house, in his space when he finally had managed to move on with his life. Katsumi smiled, but it was more of a grimace and her eyes were like flint. 

“Can’t I have stopped by just to visit my family?” It was typical of her to talk to him like he was stupid, like he was an idiot who was overthinking everything.

“Then maybe you should go find your family then.” Shisui didn’t like talking like this, didn’t like feeling angry and embarrassed but Katsumi effortlessly seemed to bring that out in him. He looked over to the coat hanger in the corner of the room, eyes finding Itachi’s blue sweater and focusing on it. Katsumi followed her gaze, looking at the sweater with a placid expression before sighing, picking at a loose strand on her sleeve. 

“You’ve certainly moved on fast.” Katsumi drawled. “I heard you and Itachi were…involved.” She looked at him, blue eyes clear and seeming to look straight through him.

“That’s hardly any of your business now is it?” Shisui snapped. "And you have a lot of nerve walking into my home like you own the place." She was waltzing in here like she owned the place and expected Shisui to be fine with that? No warning, no consideration at all. It was like a dog pissing to mark a spot.

“It was my home too, remember?” Katsumi replied and Shisui stared at her in open discontent. He hated the vagueness, how she wouldn’t just get to the point. It was some twisted game she played, as if she wanted to see Shisui squirm.

“Well we’re divorcing now, so it’s not yours anymore. It was great of you to stop by, but I really don’t have time or any desire to entertain you.” He didn’t understand what her game was. Did she enjoy torturing him, letting him slip away only to try to reel him back in again?

Katsumi stood suddenly and Shisui stared at her. “Shisui I’m pregnant.” She explained, chin tilted stiffly and shoulders squaring. Well, she was certain if her rounded stomach had anything to say about it.  

There was a long moment of silence, Shisui staring at her and not knowing if he had heard her right. “What?”

“I’m pregnant,” Katsumi repeated. He stared at her stomach then up at her, then back at her stomach again.

“Is it mine?” Shisui asked and Katsumi visibly balked. 

“Of course it’s yours!” Katsumi snapped. “Who else would it be!?” Shisui held up his hands defensively. 

“Hey no offense, but I haven’t been involved in your life for the last several months so whoever you may or may not have fucked would not exactly be on my radar.” He wouldn’t know what or who she was doing. They had been living separate lives for months at this point.

 Katsumi pursed her lips. I’m almost seven months along.” The timing lined up. They had slept with each other shortly before Katsumi's confession, if you could call it sleeping together.

Shisui breathed out, feeling a ringing sensation in his head. “Well…shit okay.” Shisui seemed to struggle to find the words, clearing his throat and frowning.

“Is that all?” Katsumi asked, eyes narrowed, settling back down on the couch, hands cradling her stomach as if to showcase she was indeed very much pregnant. Shisui burst out a sharp laugh, staring at his estranged wife in open astonishment. 

“You literally just fucking dropped this on me, Katsumi. So forgive me for not behaving as you would deem appropriate.” Shisui snapped back and watched as Katsumi visibly twitched. He blew out a puff of air, stalking around the living room as Katsumi’s eyes followed him. 

“I’m sorry,” She finally spoke up softly. “This is very upsetting for me as well.” Shisui stalked around the room, trying to gather his thoughts. Katsumi was pregnant and in his living room. He was glad Itachi wasn’t here to see this. 

He turned to her, hands dragging down his face and he breathed out. “Okay…like I told you before, it’s up to you if you want to keep the baby or not.” 

“And I had planned on terminating,” Katsumi admitted as she leaned back on the couch. She fell quiet for a moment, seeming to be far away even as she sat present. “Just get rid of it and move on with my life, but all I could think about were those stupid little ducks you painted and those little booties that we had been given for our…for the other one.” Shisui didn’t like to think about that baby, didn't like to imagine how different things would be.

“So you want this kid for…nostalgia's sake?” Shisui asked in confusion, walking around the couch as Katsumi watched him.

“I want this baby because I wasn’t able to have the other one.” Katsumi replied in a clipped tone. “I want to be a mother, Shisui. It took losing the first to realize that.”

“And how do I play into this?” He wasn’t sure what Katsumi even wanted from him. She was carrying his child (allegedly) A child he had longed for, but Shisui had learned to not take anything she said at face value. 

“Well you were certainly present when this baby was made, so I deem you to be as responsible for it as I am." Katsumi replied crisply, fingers curling around the curve of her stomach.

She wasn't wrong about that. "You want me to be involved? I would have figured you'd rather just ditch me and keep the kid with you in Suna." Shisui said and Katsumi shot him a look of reproach.

“I had no desire to come back, but the doctor in Suna was concerned that I was straining myself too hard with work and suggested that I return home. Apparently the head medic here is very good at what she does.” Of course she wasn’t back willingly, did that mean she wouldn’t have bothered telling him if she didn’t have to? It would have been convenient to go about her life with Shisui’s child .

“Lady Tsunade is great.” Shisui murmured vaguely.  "But you literally waited months to tell me! You could have written to me at any point!" Would she have come back to the village to visit someday with a kid in tow? Would she have left Shisui to wonder?

"I thought I could take care of it," Katsumi snapped before her voice trailed off, eyes fixed on her clasped hands. 

"So you only came back because you realized having a kid is a full time commitment? Be real Katsumi, you have no right to come here and try to guilt trip me when you had months to let me know!" It was so typical of her, to act like she didn’t need anyone or anything and now that reality had bit her in the ass, here she was trying to shame Shisui.

"I can’t raise a baby on my own. I want this baby but I need you with me.” Shisui swallowed, slumping down in the seat opposite Katsumi. It was all too much at once. Her here in his home, dropping this bomb on him. He wanted to be a dad, he wasn’t going to deny it, but to have it suddenly there in front of him with no warning was a bit overwhelming. He had just rebuilt his life here, he had just mended bridges with his loved ones and he currently had Itachi’s ring in his pocket, planning to ask him to marry him!

“Katsumi, there can’t be an us anymore. You made that very clear.” Shisui quietly explained. “I’m with Itachi now and I am happy with him. I will support you with the baby, and be part of its life, but you and I…there’s nothing to go back to.” She looked at him, her blonde hair spilling over her shoulders like molten gold. 

“I understand.” Katsumi replied softly. “And I didn't come back here to rekindle anything with you. We are both adults. We can be cordial with each other for the sake of our child.”

"That sounds more than fair to me." Shisui agreed, eyes fighting to not linger on her stomach and the baby who resided within. “So what now?” It was a lot to take in, but he needed to figure this out. He was going to be a father, despite everything, he had a child to think about and if that included playing nice with Katsumi then so be it.

"I have my first appointment with Lady Tsunade in three days, I would like you to be there."

"Of course." Shisui agreed. He had so many questions. Why had she waited so long to tell him? Did she know the gender? Had the pregnancy been difficult on her at all? He had seen plenty of cousins going through morning sickness and such. He didn't envy them. He wasn’t sure what exactly he was meant to do as the father but he certainly felt useless having missed so many months. “So what is your plan after you give birth?” That felt like the most important question.

“What do you mean?”

“Are you going to run back to Suna or will you stay here?” He didn’t want this to turn into some awful custody situation and he certainly wasn’t comfortable having his child live in a whole different village. They needed to have a plan ahead of time.

“Well, I haven’t decided yet,” Katsumi replied, hands spreading out over the material of the couch. “I have my old place in the village I can stay at and my uncle has offered me a place with him and the family.”

“You’re having this kid in about two months,” Shisui reminded her. “We need to know what the long term plans are.” Katsumi grimaced, obviously having not put too much thought into her plans once the baby was born. She stood again, supporting her stomach and waving off Shisui when he reached out to assist her.

“I will need to consider it, in the meantime I will be with my family getting everything settled. Once I have a time for my appointment I will let you know.” Shisui nodded wordlessly. Did he shake her hand? Was this like some sort of messed up business arrangement? He walked her to the door, opening it for her and watching as she walked down the steps.

“Thank you.” He replied cordially. It felt uncomfortable to be speaking so stiffly and formally, but he wasn’t sure what else to do. Katsumi moved towards the walkway when she hesitated.

“I saw the ring you were holding,” Katsumi turned to look back at Shisui. “Are you planning to propose to him?” Shisui’s hand automatically moved to his pocket, as if to shield the ring from harm. 

“I…yeah,” It felt wrong to be speaking about this with his ex, as if he was breaking some rule. His almost ex wife and ex soulmate vs his hopefully fiance and should be soulmate. How would Itachi take all of this? Did he even want kids? 

Katsumi smiled at him. “Good. He loves you, everyone with eyes could see it…I think he’ll be good for you.” Shisui remembered how she had spoken of him before, how she hadn’t wanted him around her children. Now, she seemed almost content with Itachi. Shisui nodded his thanks, watching as she glided down the steps and towards the street, several people doing double takes at the sight of her and her stomach before glancing over at Shisui.

 He grasped at the ring in his pocket, wondering if Katsumi’s return was going to ruin everything Shisui had finally built. 






Notes:

Some of you guessed it! So much drama. We'll have Itachi returning next chapter.

Chapter 40: Future

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Itachi returned the next evening. It had been tense going into the meeting, but the new Mizukage was adamant of ensuring her village prospered and rebuilt broken relationships. It was vital that this meeting ended well. Hiruzen seemed content enough and it turned out to be a meeting that benefited both village’s. It had been a rare opportunity for Kiri and Konoha’s leaders to have a sit down meeting, and neither Kage wished to squander this chance. Hiruzen introduced Itachi as his successor and the Mizukage had winked at him, and told him she looked forward to future negotiations. 

 Mei Terumi’s personal bodyguard and soulmate had escorted her there and he and Itachi had an opportunity to speak while their leaders negotiated. The ANBU were not seen, but Itachi could feel them watching, dedicated to protecting both the current Hokage and the boy who would soon succeed him. Mei’s bodyguard seemed enthusiastic about Kirigakure’s future and the Mizukage’s goals. The man spoke of her like she hung on the moon. It was hard not to feel as if that enthusiasm was contagious with the way he raved about his Mizukage’s goals. Despite the darkness that had blotted their village for so long, they were finally able to start paving their way to a better future. 

“It’s high time we walked into the future kid,” Hoshigaki Kisame grinned at him, all teeth but even so there seemed to be a genuine kindness in his eyes. “Let the past die.” 

Itachi could find no fault in his logic. Perhaps Kirigakure and Konoha could form a lasting alliance. If two village’s that had once held so much animosity for each other could be brought together for the greater good, then maybe that meant the past didn’t have to define someone nor did it have to hold them back. They both left on hopeful terms, and Hiruzen seemed confident that the Mizukage would propel her village into a better future. 

He was relieved to be back home and finished up any needed paperwork and sat with Hiruzen as he briefed the elders. The elders still looked to Itachi with barely concealed contempt but they no longer had any sway over him, Hiruzen had done well to ensure Itachi would be beyond their reach. They were heading into the future, and like it or not the elder’s were nothing more than a relic of a lost time. That was what they would always be. 

Hiruzen dismissed him before sunset, telling him to enjoy the rest of his day, looking like he was ready to settle in for the night. Itachi headed back towards his apartment, waving at Kurenai as he passed and turning down the street. He didn’t think he had any leftovers at home and the thought of shopping seemed to be overbearing for him. He could always order takeout and invite Sasuke over for the night, if he was available of course. 

 He was surprised to see Shisui sitting outside the apartment, and the older man stood as Itachi approached, smiling but with an oddly harried look in his eyes. “Shisui,” Itachi greeted. “Are you alright?” He took off the bag he had slung over his shoulder. “You know you can just use the key I gave you and make yourself at home.” He reminded him and Shisui smiled, but it didn’t seem to reach his eyes.

“I know…I just really wanted to talk to you.” He replied and absently scratched the side of his face. 

“What’s on your mind?” Itachi asked, walking over to where Shisui stood. Shisui took a breath and Itachi then noticed the nervous way he was clenching and unclenching his hands. “Shisui?” He gently prodded and the older man tilted his head back, air escaping his nose and he stayed in that position for a long moment before finally looking at Itachi.

“Katsumi’s back.” Shisui murmured, arms crossing over his chest, and Itachi felt his mouth go dry. “And she’s pregnant….with my child…allegedly.” All the air seemed to be sucked from his chest as he processed Shisui’s words. 

“Oh,” Itachi replied softly, avoiding Shisui’s eyes. Here it was, she was back and Shisui was going to end things with Itachi so he could return to her. She was back and pregnant and of course Shisui would go back to Katsumi.  Itachi was only a stepping stone as he waited for her. This was all just a terrible waste of time, and-

Shisui reached for Itachi’s hands, taking them on his own. “Hey, hey look at me.” Itachi did, eyes darting up to meet Shisui’s who smiled kindly at him despite his own obvious nerves. “I’m not going anywhere, Itachi. We’re having a kid together, but that’s as far as our relationship will go.” Shisui’s fingers brushed over Itachi’s wrist. 

“You spoke to her?” Itachi’s voice was barely a croak and Shisui nodded.

“She sort of ambushed me with the news, and I told her that I wasn’t ending things with you. She’s the mother of my child and that’s as far as our relationship goes.”

“Oh,” Itachi breathed, still feeling lightheaded. “Are you happy about the baby? I knew you always wanted children.” He was still having trouble forming his words, but desperately wanted to keep Shisui speaking, to understand where his mind currently was.

“I did,” Shisui replied quickly. “I do, it’s just…I figured I’d at least be given a little more notice. She’s due in two months.”

 She must have waited until the very last minute to approach Shisui. “Why did she keep it from you for so long?”

“I don’t know. I wonder if she had planned to ever tell me. The only reason she’s back is so she can go to Lady Tsunade for her checkups.”

Itachi nodded in understanding. “Lady Tsunade is the best.” It made sense that Katsumi would want the best for her baby, including medics. He sometimes wondered why she wasn’t Hokage, but then had to remember the several times he had gone to her office and found her passed out at her desk with a sake bottle closeby.; everyone had their vices.

“That’s what I said.” Shisui agreed, looking lost. 

“How are you feeling about all of this?” Itachi finally asked, looking at Shisui who seemed to be shrinking in on himself. 

“Nervous. I mean I already had the nursery ready from her first pregnancy, I just figured I’d never have the chance to use it.” Shisui’s voice trailed off slightly and Itachi reached forward, grasping Shisui’s hand and smiling at him. 

“I’m glad you’ll finally be able to be a father.” Shisui smiled back at him, uncertain but genuine and it looked as if a weight had been taken off his shoulders. Itachi knew Shisui still thought of his lost child often and the loss of it still weighed on him.

“I’d like you to be involved in the baby’s life as well,” Shisui murmured. “I know it’s sudden and you’re only nineteen, I mean…do you…do you even want kids?” Shisui asked, fingers loosely wrapped around Itachi’s wrists.

“I had never given it much thought before,” Itachi replied, staring at their joined hands. “But I am with you now, and if that means kids then I’m happy to be part of it.” Even if that meant dealing with Katsumi. This child was Shisui’s and Itachi would love it regardless of his dislike of the mother. Nineteen wasn’t unheard of to have children. He could learn.

 Shisui smiled at him and lifted Itachi’s hand so he could press his lips against his knuckles. “Come with me,” Shisui took Itachi’s hand, hooking their fingers together and ushering him to the door. Itachi followed, relief pouring from him as he did so. Shisui wasn’t leaving, wasn’t running back to Katsumi. 

The baby was definitely an unexpected addition, but Shisui’s excitement was contagious. Maybe he could knit the baby some mittens. Babies liked mittens, yes? Shisui led him down the road, Itachi adjusting his bag and speeding up to keep stride with Shisui who seemed to be on a mission, fingers curled around Itachi’s as if he was afraid he would lose him. They approached the gate to the forest and passed by it into the forest. A golden cast was settling over the trees as sunset approached.

Itachi wondered if there were certain types of baby food that babies preferred. How would they know if the baby had any allergies? Did they just have to be careful when feeding them? Would Katsumi know, or was she going to be as blind as them walking in? Perhaps Mikoto or one of his aunties could help? Itachi had so many questions, he had never really thought of babies before but now Shisui was going to be a father and he wanted Itachi there. The last time Itachi had handled a baby had been Sasuke, but he had been a perfect baby so it would be hard for any child to compete with him.

Shisui led Itachi to a familiar clearing in the woods and he could hear the river bustling over the edge of the cliff. Shisui turned to look out at the treeline, his tense expression slowly relaxing. They reached the edge of the cliff and Itachi stood back, admiring the sun setting over the trees as Shisui sat down, legs dangling over the edge and eyes falling shut. Itachi breathed in, hair blowing back. It was going to be okay, everything would be fine. He slowly sat down beside Shisui and allowed himself to relax as Shisui’s hand found his. 

They sat together at the edge of the ravine, watching the sky. Shisui held onto Itachi’s hand like a lifeline and Itachi wished he could offer him more comfort. “Marry me.” Shisui suddenly spoke and Itachi went very still, wondering if he had misheard him. 

“What?” The trees rustled, wind howled through the ravine and the water raged on. Yet, all he could hear was Shisui. 

"Would you…want to marry me?" Shisui suddenly looked uncertain, worrying his bottom lip to the point that Itachi thought he would draw blood. 

Itachi watched Shisui, studying his expression. "Are you asking?"

"Yeah…yeah I am." Shisui cleared his throat and nervously ran his hand through his hair, messing up his curls. "I mean I had it planned out, but now I just feel sort of in a daze of sorts. I'm sorry." Itachi leaned forward, pressing his forehead against Shisui’s.

"No, please don't apologize. This is perfect." He kissed Shisui on the jaw, lips moving across his face before finding his lips and Shisui melted against him, grasping the back of his head to pull him closer. “Yes, of course I will marry you.”

It felt cheesy, like something Kakashi Hatake would cry about in his odd books, but Itachi liked it. He liked having Shisui kiss him at sunset and propose in that earnest way that he seemed to perfect. How long had he been planning to ask? He looked relieved, as if he expected Itachi to say no.

So what if Katsumi was back and pregnant? They could handle that and the baby was a welcome addition. She was the past and that was all she ever would be. Itachi was engaged to his best friend, would be by his side when he became a father and eventually he would be Hokage and he would keep all his loved ones safe.

 

“It’s high time we walked into the future kid. Let the past die.” 

 

“...walked into the future kid. Let the past die.” 

 

“Let the past die…” 




Proposing to Katsumi had been formal, with all families involved and witnessing the occasion, Shisui wanted something more intimate with Itachi. He had already spoken with Mikoto and Fugaku and received their delighted blessing. Fugaku had even cracked a smile . They would still have to attend the engagement ceremony to officiate everything, but for now this was their moment.

He was still processing Katsumi’s return and the baby that was currently waiting to come out. His baby, his child. Itachi could have ended things when Shisui confessed, could have cut his losses and run and he would have deserved it. Instead, Itachi had assured Shisui he was still there and that he wasn’t going anywhere. It made Shisui feel braver, that he wasn’t alone in all of this and he at least had Itachi in his corner no matter the outcome. He and Katsumi’s divorce would be finalized in a matter of time, and Shisui was ready to let the past go.

He had wanted this to be perfect, to surprise Itachi at the ravine while confident and without anything to hinder that. Maybe it was a little cheesy, but he wanted the whole romance of it all, to be completely in the moment and make it perfect for Itachi. They had the ravine, they had the sunset and privacy, but Shisui felt unworthy to even ask this of Itachi. To ask him to make such a huge commitment at such a young age while he had a fast approaching future headed his way. Katsumi had left a gaping dent in his confidence and her confession made Shisui feel more like he was walking to his breakup rather than his engagement. Itachi had surprised him. Again. 

Shisui pulled away and smiled at Itachi again, his eyes crinkling in the corners. He took the ring from his pocket and took Itachi’s hand, slipping it onto his finger. Itachis’ hands were graceful, an artist’s hands rather than a shinobi, fingers long and slender, nails free of dirt and grime; a work of art. The ring looked perfect there, as if it was always meant to be and Itachi’s expression made it all the more worth it.

Itachi studied the ring, hand stretched out in front of him. “It’s beautiful,” he mused as the waning light caught the gold streaks and caused it to shine as if on fire. His smile was tender, more vulnerable than he ever allowed anyone to see him. 

“I thought you’d like it,” Shisui murmured as he watched Itachi. “I wanted everything to be perfect.”

“Everything is perfect, Shisui.” Itachi assured him, lowering his hand down and looking back at Shisui. “I love you.” It wasn’t the first time Itachi had said that to him, but something about this time felt special. This was the first ‘I love you’ as an engaged man. Suddenly, everything felt like it was meant to be. It was all worth it in the end. The clan’s machinations, Danzo’s orders, meeting and ending things with Katsumi. At the end of all of that was Itachi. Always Itachi, waiting and welcoming and home .

Notes:

I really need to respond to some comments so I'll be working on that!

Chapter 41: Hover

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

News about Katsumi’s return to the village spread quickly. Most welcomed her back with open arms and visible excitement, that is until they saw the state she was in. Then, as always, people started talking. Shisui swore he could feel their eyes following him wherever he went. No one dared approach him and he was thankful for that, but both Fugaku and Mikoto had reached out to him separately to voice their concerns. Shisui assured them that he had already made things clear with Katsumi and that his intentions were very much with their son. It seemed to soothe Fugaku but Mikoto still looked at him with the same eyes Itachi did when he was worried. Shisui had no plans of letting any of them down, not when he finally made amends. 

The first appointment with the doctor went as well as either Katsumi or Shisui could expect. The nurse in charge of the ultrasound seemed to be desperately trying to keep things light.  “Would you like to know the gender?” She asked.

“Yes.”

“No.” 

Both Katsumi and Shisui answered at the same time and Katsumi fixed Shisui with a stony expression. “Shisui, I have no interest in knowing the gender right now, we can wait until they are born.” She calmly explained as if she were speaking to a toddler. Shisui however matched her tone perfectly, yet somehow managed to sound more reasonable and wasn’t that something. 

“Oh wow, that’s super swell of you, Katsumi. Glad to know I have zero voice into this entire pregnancy. I seem to remember you informing me that I helped make this baby, but I guess it’s too much to allow me to be involved.” Shisui’s voice was dripping with sarcasm as he leaned back in his chair, body almost ridgid with tension. 

“Once again, you are not the one carrying the baby.” Katsumi reminded him coolly and Shisui shot her an unimpressed scowl. “The gender shouldn’t matter. I’d like this baby to be able to grow without people pushing their ideals onto it.” She wasn’t wanting to be surprised or anything, and it wasn’t that she was hoping for one gender over another. She just wanted to wait and prepare for the baby without the gender having to be some focal point of well wishers fawning over her future shinobi little boy or her medic little girl.

“And once again, you are the one that didn’t tell me you were pregnant in the first place.” He had no trouble matching her tone. It was almost jarring if it wasn’t so annoying. He was matching her step by step instead of immediately allowing her to keep control of the conversation. The nurse was watching the scene with visible discontent. “You can’t just pick and choose when you deem it time for me to be a father. You can at least talk to me before making any big decisions.” 

They glared at each other, neither willing to back down.

“Have you begun to consider birthing options?” The nurse  asked in an obvious attempt to change the subject and Katsumi tore her eyes away from Shisui, relaxing against the pillow and fixing her eyes on the tiled ceiling. 

“Yes, Lady Tsunade and I discussed my options. She and I agreed a home birth wasn’t the best choice so I will come to the hospital when the time comes.” As much as Katsumi would have preferred the ease of a homebirth, Tsunade had made several good points about Katsumi staying in the hospital, especially considering the concern from her doctor while in Suna.

“And do you have any requests for those present in the birthing room?” The nurse asked as she wrote something down in her notebook. 

Katsumi’s parents were dead, and the thought of her friends seeing her in such a vulnerable position made her skin crawl. She had considered asking some of her closer cousins, but Ino still felt a little young to see that. Which was honestly hilarious because the girl was an aspiring kunoichi.

“I think I’d be on my own.” She began when Shisui scoffed, causing both women to glance at him, Katsumi’s face pinching into impatience. 

"The two of us will be in the room.” He corrected her with a glare. “I’ll be present every step of the way.” This hardly felt like the right place to be having this argument, but Shisui wasn’t going to simply back down to her commands. 

“I’m surprised you didn’t try to suggest Itachi.” Katsumi replied idly, examining her nails and Shisui shot her an unimpressed look.

“Itachi is not involved in this pregnancy, this is between you and me.” He was obviously trying to keep attention from Itachi and the nurse looked at them curiously before going back to her notes.

“But he will be involved in the child’s life. Did he even want to have children?” Katsumi pressed. Her earlier disdain for Itachi might have cooled, but that old resentment could never be completely washed away nor the fact that he was nineteen years old and never seemed to have any interest in parenthood. 

"He and I have already discussed this and he’s already offered his full support. I will be in that room for you and our child.” Shisui obviously did not want to continue discussing Itachi with her and his tone instantly had her on edge. 

“Unless you want to see my asshole on display, I'd suggest you not be present.” Crass, but it felt like an appropriate argument. Having anyone see her in such a vulnerable position was unsavory and having her estranged ex there was absolutely nauseating. 

“It’s nothing I haven’t seen before!” Shisui threw his hands into the air. “You said yourself that you couldn’t do this all on your own, so stop trying to shut me out. Let me help you.” They glared at each other for a long moment, both too stubborn to simply back down but finally Katsumi sighed, eyes moving to glare up at the ceiling. 

“Okay…okay you’re right.” He was valid in his argument but it still left a sour taste in her mouth. She didn't want to need him. There was a moment of award silence before the nurse began to speak again, writing down in her notes as Katsumi drowned her out.

The appointment finally came to an end and Katsumi could not get out of that hospital soon enough. Shisui was asking all the right questions, and showing an obvious interest in the baby’s health. It should have been reassuring to Katsumi to know that he wasn’t simply flaking on her now that he had moved on, but all it did was make her feel as if she was temporary, a vessel for the baby that could be discarded when her mission was complete. 

She had strode out of the hospital entrance as gracefully as a heavily pregnant woman could, Shisui following behind. Ino and her were going to meet up for lunch before Ino went to her training session with Lady Tsunade. There was a wheelchair ramp that she could have walked down, but it was a matter of pride that she manage the stairs on her own; it was only a few steps. He still had the audacity to offer her a hand and she turned away from it.

“I can walk by myself.” Katsumi avoided his hand and he stepped back to let her go. Katsumi hesitated, hand on her stomach as she slowly made her way down the stairs, one step at a time, feeling Shisui’s eyes following her.

“It wouldn’t kill you to accept help once and awhile.” He complained and she reached the bottom step, turning to face him as she grasped the railing.

“And it wouldn’t kill you to not hover.”

Shisui shook her head, taking a step down the stairs, dark eyes narrowed in open discontent. “I’m not hovering! I’m trying to help-”

“Treating me like I’m invalid is not helping.” Katsumi cut him off.

“And treating me like I’m not involved isn’t fair. You tried guilting me when you came to my apartment with your news, and now that I’m actively trying to help you’re closing me out.” He wasn’t lying, and maybe Katsumi was being a bit hypocritical, but she despised being looked at like she was weak, she hated that he was trying to be kind and gentle towards her when he was moving on with his life and she was being sidelined by work and this baby. She opened her mouth to offer a retort when another voice called out. 

“Yamanaka-san!” Katsumi and Shisui turned to see the nurse from her appointment coming out with a folder. “Lady Tsunade wished for you to take these and with you.” She held out the folders. Katsumi did not want to struggle up those steps again after making such a show of walking down them. 

“I’ll grab them,” Shisui offered and moved back up the stairs, allowing Katsumi to continue on, holding her stomach. Shisui and the nurse spoke as she handed him the files and Katsumi waddled ahead, ready to put some distance between herself and Shisui. An enderly man was wheeled by and she politely smiled in his direction before her eyes moved to a figure standing several feet away with their back to her. She easily recognized the low ponytail. Really, some things never changed. 

“Itachi.” She greeted, hand lovingly supporting her bump and he turned to face her. For a moment she forgot how to breathe.

He had been a scrawny, runty looking thing when she had last seen him, hands seemingly childish and unmatched to his gangly body. Feet too big, almost like a puppy who hadn’t reached maturity.

Well, he certainly reached it now.

“Katsumi.” He replied, most likely to be polite more than anything else. Her eyes traveled down his body, catching sight of the ring around his finger. Shisui had actually proposed and the proof of it was right on Itachi’s hand. 

He was beautiful, unbelievably so. His eyelashes were longer and  fuller than hers could ever hope to be even with mascara. All traces of baby fat were missing and his cheekbones were sharp. He had blossomed into a gorgeous man. He was tall and slender, all graceful lines and lithe muscles. For being such an ugly duckling, puberty had certainly been kind.  It seemed Mikoto’s genes had won in the end. Shisui suddenly came up behind her and Katsumi blinked, tearing her eyes away from Itachi to look at her ex. 

"Hey, here are the files, the nurse suggested you make an appointment with Lady Tsunade to finish with birthing arrangements. You can let me know when your next appointment is.” Shisui placed the folder in her hands, not looking at her, instead watching Itachi. “We're finished up here Itachi if you're ready to head home." Shisui came to stand beside Itachi, and they did look so gorgeous together. Shisui stood only a little taller than Itachi, but broader and his hand seemed to perfectly enclose around Itachi’s. 

He smiled slightly at Shisui. His lips were fuller than she remembered and Shisui was looking at him as if he were the stars themselves. Itachi still had that look of someone in love for the first time, an open sort of humanity that he usually never expressed. 

She wondered what he tasted like. 

"It was good to see you, Katsumi." He lied, as polite as his mother had trained him to be and Shisui offered her a shallow nod. 

“You as well.” Katsumi managed to reply and they strode away, Shisui grasping at Itachi like his life depended on it and Itachi with his back straight and not glancing back once. It was odd. Before, Shisui had seemed to treat Itachi with an almost condescending fondness, truly the clingy baby cousin following his shadow. Now, the roles seemed reversed in a way, or perhaps at least more equal.

 Being in love suited him.

“Hey, you ready to go?” Katsumi heard Ino approach, but didn’t turn to face her, far too distracted by Itachi’s shoulders. Katsumi stared after them long after they had rounded the corner and disappeared.

“Yeah.” She hummed. 

“How did the appointment go? Was Shisui there with you?”

“Yeah,” Katsumi blinked and glanced over at Ino who was looking up at her with a little smile. “Yeah, he was there. He and Itachi just headed out.” Ino looked surprised at this, but she smiled striding ahead, her long hair swinging behind her. She had grown in these last few years, turning into a beautiful and capable young woman.

“Oh, I’m surprised Itachi’s had time to hang out with Shisui. I heard from Sakura who heard from Naruto who heard from Sasuke that Itachi’s been super busy with everything and is barely home these days. Glad he’s at least able to get out a bit.” Ino absently began to fix her hair, pulling it into a tighter ponytail. 

“Busy?” Katsumi frowned. “I thought he retired from ANBU.” The last she had heard was he was working some office job for the Hokage’s office. It seemed out of character for him to accept a job that was little more than a personal secretary, but Katsumi assumed he had finally seen enough carnage and wished for a less violent future. It was hardly something she could judge him for.

“He did.” Ino confirmed then her eyes widened. “Oh! I keep forgetting you weren’t here for it. I’m surprised no one told you.” She smacked her forehead and Katsumi stared at her in bewilderment. 

“Told me what?” It was odd being out of the loop in the village. Katsumi used to always know the new gossip just by the luck of her work and being in the thick of things. Ino linked her arm with Katsumi’s beaming at her as they leaned down the street.

“Well, Itachi’s going to be Hokage.” Ino informed her with a smile, leaning into her a bit. “Should be by the end of the year.” Katsumi looked at her cousin in surprise, her mouth going a little dry.  She didn’t know what to say and Ino seemed content to keep going about her day, as if it were just some fun gossip. Katsumi gave Ino’s arm a fond little squeeze and they kept walking.

Itachi Uchiha as Hokage. Well, wasn’t that something.

Notes:

Katsumi’s being stubborn and Shisui’s got no clue on what he's doing wrong. Meanwhile Ino out here like the paparazzi.

Chapter 42: Fantasy

Notes:

Katsumi has got some whack dreams in this chapter. Take from it what you will.

Chapter Text

Heartburn was not something that Katsumi would miss after the baby was born. She spent the last several days battling with it and several sleepless nights. She was currently slumped at the kitchen table, grimacing at the window. The apartment was smaller than she preferred, but it was better than having to live off someone's charity. Once the baby was a little bigger she would look for a two bedroom place downtown.

“Katsumi!” An all too familiar voice bellowed, startling Katsumi from her morning tea. Before she could stand to open the door it flew open. “He’s here!” Ino declared, bursting into the kitchen and practically dancing around the table. Katsumi stared at her. “He’s here!” Ino threw her hands into the air in celebration. 

“Who’s here?” Katsumi asked, immediately wiping at her face as if afraid this unknown man would walk into her kitchen while she still had bed head and looked like a heavily pregnant pile of shit.

Sai !” Ino threw out her arm to show the name on her skin. “He was here the entire time! Some of that old guy’s followers were trying to rebuild Root in his name and they had kids down there! Sai was one of them. ANBU did a crackdown on several of the old barracks and there were so many teenagers stuffed down there, all training in Root. They were brought topside to be seen by medics in the hospital.” Well, that was a lot to take in. Katsumi pushed her tea aside grimacing as she held her stomach, struggling to her feet.

Katsumi led Ino to the couch, the younger girl practically bouncing around in her excitement. “Is this Sai kid alright?” Katsumi asked, not sure how to put it delicately. “Root and Danzo Shimura had a certain…reputation. If this kid was working within Root, are you sure he’s all there?”

Surprisingly, Ino didn’t seem offended by Katsumi’s question. She smiled at her and flopped down on the couch at her side. “He’s in the hospital right now being checked over by Lady Tsunade. I was one of the assistants with him. He seemed…a little quiet, maybe a bit awkward but it was like he knew me immediately. All he did was look at me for a long moment and then show me his foot. It was definitely weird at first cause I didn't know why this strange guy was trying to offer me his foot, then I saw my name on his ankle.” She sighed dreamily, leaning back into the cushion. “I know he’s going to need time and therapy, but I want to help him in any way I can.”

Ino earnest desire to help wasn’t all that surprising. The girl always had a knack for people and seemed to make friends wherever she went. Still, this Sai kid could be trouble. Katsumi had heard all about Root and all about Danzo training them into some sort of super soldier. If this boy had spent his entire life as a weapon, who was to say he would ever be able to acclimate to the real world?

“So do you plan to visit him?”

“When Lady Tsunade thinks he’s ready I will. I don’t want to go too soon, you know?” She flopped back on the couch and studied Katsumi.

“Do you ever miss him?”

“Miss who?” Katsumi studied her nails, cut more bluntly than ever before and the pink paint chipped. 

Shisui .” Ino pressed and Katsumi hesitated, not meeting Ino's eyes as she settled back in her chair.

“Well, I suppose I miss some parts…but you know me. I’ve never been the one to enjoy being tied down to anything.”

“Speak for yourself…” Ino mumbled and Katsumi lightly smacked her arm with a shocked bark of laughter. 

“Ino Yamanaka!” She admonished and Ino snickered, waving her off.

“Kidding, kidding…” She defended herself, flopping back with a little smile, looking far too pleased with herself.






Katsumi’s thoughts were consumed by him.

 

His eyes.

 

His lips.

 

It started off relatively innocently enough. Idle thoughts when she sat at home alone. She found herself letting her imagination get the best of her. She would fantisize about the brat as if he and her hadn’t spent months despising each other.

Those long, graceful fingers. How would they feel inside her? 

She tried not to dwell on it, but she couldn’t help it. Would he be a generous lover or a selfish one? Would he take the lead or would he follow hers? Would he feel good inside her? Was he loud? Why couldn’t she have them both?

One side effect of the pregnancy was that her dreams were very…vivid. Several nights after running into Itachi, she dreamed of him. She dreamt of both. Her estranged husband with his warm eyes and generous mouth and Itachi with his graceful hands. 

Itachi was in her bed, limbs stretched out and mouth inviting. There were ribbons criss crossed across his arms, keeping him in place. He was wearing a pair of white silk panties, his cock forming a noticeable bulge against the material and she had the oddest desire to drag them off him with her teeth.

“A present,” Shisui whispered in her ear. “For us to share.” The air had a dreamy glow about it, everything seeming to move at a slower, relaxed pace. 

It was an anniversary gift, their apparent divorce now nothing but a bad memory. She kissed him sweetly, fingers caressing his jaw. “I love it.” She responded fondly. He motioned to the bed, eyes sparkling. She crawled up Itachi’s body, straddling him and he looked up at her as if she were the sun itself, hands moving to hold her hips. He was not that scrawny brat anymore. He was a man, a gorgeous one that she wished to use to her fullest desires. She slipped out of the negligee, tossing it aside and taking Itachi’s hand and brought them up to cup her breasts.

He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. It was as if he was on mute. It didn't matter, she wasn't interested in his conversation. She rolled her hips against him, her bare cunt pressed against his flesh, leaving wet patches behind.

"Are you just going to look at him?" Shisui suddenly asked. She forgot he was there. Turning, she offered him a little grin, Itachi’s hands lightly squeezing her breasts, thumb stroking over a sensitive nipple. 

"Fine, fine I'll get moving." She sighed, pushing Itachi’s hands aside and rolling over behind him.

She pressed her breasts against his back, hand sneaking over to take him in hand. Shisui had once told her that Itachi was soft with him, submissive in a way he never was in real life. She wanted that. Shisui’s new found confidence was breathtaking and paired with Itachi she would have the best of both worlds. He melted against her with a quiet sigh, hips rocking against her palm as she breathed against his shoulder. 

She didn’t want two confident men in her bed, competing over her. That was far too boring. She wanted Shisui’s undivided attention, his absolute devotion. She wanted Itachi brought as low as possible, the last in the pecking order if you would, and she wanted him to like it. Living only to please in the bedroom as he had done as a shinobi. It shouldn’t be too much of a challenge and he was a prodigy after all. 

“Our pretty baby girl,” She hummed, cupping his clothed erection in her hand and giving him a gentle squeeze.

“Yes ma’am.” He responded as if his voice had magically returned. He only spoke when she deemed it fit and he never called her by her name behind closed doors. It was always ma’am and sir and Katsumi would always reward him for his respect as all good girls deserved to be rewarded. Uchiha Itachi ceased to exist when those doors closed, all he was, all he would ever be was hers.

Shisui lay beside Itachi and kissed Katsumi over his head, ignoring him as they explored each other’s mouths. She moaned as Shisui's tongue swiped over her lip, pressing against her own tongue. Itachi attempted to reach them and Shisui hushed him, shoving his fingers into his mouth to silence any complaints and Itachi sucked at them like they were his favorite treat. Shisui kissed Katsumi again, whispering praise against her lips.

“You’re so beautiful.” He whispered and she knew she was. Slender and long legged, hair once more long and cascading over her shoulders. 

She listened as Shisui's fingers continued to fuck into Itachi’s mouth, butnhe didn't even seem to register that Itachi was there, instead kissing down Katsumi’s shoulder. Itachi gagged against Shisui’s fingers and Shisui hushed him, lips moving to Katsumi’s breasts and lathering each with fervent kisses. He worshipped her, was completely at her beck and call and the sound of Itachi’s choked breath had her wet in an instant.

“I want you to fuck him.” She ordered, nipping at his ear and he let out a shaky laugh, never one to disobey. 

“As you wish.” He replied and reached down to tugg Itachi’s panties down, snapping the material from Itachi’s skin and tossing it aside.

Itachi splayed out on the mattress, his cock hard and leaking at the tip. They’d have to deal with that. This wasn’t about him, a nice little ring would suffice. Katsumi already had her husband’s cock to please her, all she wanted from Itachi was that smart mouth of his, and she would have it whenever she pleased.

Gently she glided her fingers down his chest, manicured and sharped fingers pinching at his nipples, tugging at them and applying just enough pressure to know it was uncomfortable. Itachi whined at her touch, once again trying to speak but once again silent. 

"Such a good girl." Katsumi cooed in both a mockery and in fondness. "So good for mommy. You know your place, don't you babygirl? You know where you belong."

Itachi nodded feverishly, eyes dark and shining as he looked up at her, cock leaking and almost purple from neglect.

This wasn’t about him.

Shisui never looked away from Katsumi as he glided down to the end of the bed, Itachi’s legs immediately spreading to accommodate him. He knew his role and if he wished to still be allowed to be Katsumi’s seat or Shisui’s cock warmer than he would continue to serve. 

Katsumi swung her leg over Itachi, shooting Shisui a satisfied smile as she situated herself over Itachi's eager face, grinding down against his mouth as she watched her husband, not breaking eye contact as she rolled her hips against Itachi’s mouth, eyes fluttering as his tongue dutifully serviced her. Shisui had Itachi’s legs slung over his shoulders and he leaned forward to kiss his wife, bending Itachi as he did so, and she could see he was already buried inside Itachi, who was moaning in delight like some cheap whore. Shisui pressed deeper inside Itachi and she felt him moan against her, unable to move. Both of them together, using Itachi as they pleased.

He knew his role.

He might be Hokage, but in the quiet of their home, he belonged to her. They both did. What power truly stood behind the throne. She could whisper sweet nothings into his ear. Money for a new orphanage, funding for schooling, anything and sweet Itachi would acquiesce. He would kneel for her, and in private it would be Katsumi wearing that hat. It would be Katsumi that they answered to.

They could make it work. 

She had always gotten what she wanted before, and like with all dreams she simply enjoyed herself. Not wondering how she and Shisui reconciled, not wondering where her child was and not wondering how Itachi agreed to this, to be little more than their shared toy, no place with them on the bed, no place other than at Katsumi's feet.

Shisui was fucking Itachi in earnest, whispering praise into Katsumi’s ear. She was the love of his life, she was his soulmate, she was his everything . Itachi was forgotten for a moment and all she could see was her husband, her soulmate.

They could make it work.

Katsumi woke up aching and alone, releasing an uneven breath as she stared up at the ceiling, wondering what in the world she had just dreamed about, and still feeling the phantom of Itachi’s mouth against her.

Chapter 43: Opinions

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Shisui wasn’t too surprised when both the Yamanaka and Uchiha clan called for a meeting about the pregnancy. It was definitely not something that could simply be swept under the carpet and both parties wished to minimize any damage that could be caused by the estranged couple’s very obvious plus one. Fugaku himself had concerns about this pregnancy and how Itachi would be affected by it all. It felt important for Shisui to try to assure him that Itachi and him were better than ever and that Itachi was not being forgotten about nor was he having second thoughts. 

He and Katsumi were seated next to each other in the center of the room while their clansmen surrounded them. It felt oddly like they were under a microscope, every movement and breath being studied and judged.

“I have a small studio within walking distance of the hospital,” Katsumi was explaining from where she sat, hands demurely resting on her lap. “It was agreed that as this pregnancy was taxing due to my responsibilities at work that it would benefit me to remain closeby.” 

“Would that be enough room for you and a child?” One of the Yamanaka women asked in concern. “I’ve been to your apartment and it’s certainly small.” There were a couple murmurs and from the corner of his eyes, Shisui could see Katsumi’s shoulders tense slightly, as if uncomfortable by the questions. 

“A temporary setback until I can begin looking for something bigger.” She had never taken criticism well, constantly striving to maintain order to everything around her and now here she was, being questioned about both her impending divorce and the child on the way.

They had been at this for what felt like hours. It was the same old argument going round and round in circles. Shisui could see Sasuke seated beside his father. As heir to the clan, he was now obligated to attend meetings like these, but it was obvious that he wasn't enjoying himself. Likely, he found the thought the entire thing was a waste of time. Shisui couldn’t help but agree. Ino Yamanaka was also present, sitting by her father and listening intently. She hadn’t spoken up at all, instead simply watching as everyone argued. 

“Living on your own with your pregnancy is certainly a risk,” Another Yamanaka muttered from his seat. “I think it would benefit you to have someone with you.” Shisui could practically feel the indignation rolling off Katsumi.

“As much as I appreciate your concern I have managed fine on my own these last several months. A couple more won’t hurt.” Katsumi replied evenly, trying to remain as cordial as possible.

“What about after the child is born? Do you plan on giving up your career for this child or do you have childcare planned?” Another question was shot at her, and before she could answer someone else was speaking up.

“Perhaps living with Shisui? He has a modest size house and as the father he is obligated to aid Katsumi in any way.” It was Tekka speaking. He hadn’t approved of Shisui returning and leaving his wife in the first place and the news of the pregnancy only made things that much worse. Katsumi and Shisui glanced at each other, both looking tense at the suggestion. 

Shisui breathed out and smiled pleasantly. “Respectfully, Katsumi does not need me breathing down her shoulder 24/7 and we both are capable adults.” Shisui replied evenly and behind him, he could feel his auntie smiling. 

“You two are still soulmates,” an elder Uchiha pointed out. “How will this feud between the two of you affect the child? It’s already seeming to take a toll on the mother.”

“I have a name.” Katsumi shot back, forgoing pleasantries in the face of the perceived slight. The Yamanake sitting next to her placed a gentle hand on her shoulder and she relaxed, mouth pulling into a tense line.

“It’s not too late to reconcile with each other.” Someone lightly suggested and Shisui swiveled his head around in indignation. It was out of the question.

Fugaku balked. “It is much too late for that!” He snapped. “They have already been separated for months and Shisui is already engaged to my son.”

“Even knowing that he has a child on the way and is still married to another? He has responsibilities and gallivanting around with a nineteen year old boy seems very irresponsible.” The same Yamanaka responded sharply. Sasuke looked ready to blow up at this in righteous fury, but Fugaku sensed this and placed a hand on his shoulder to silence him. Sasuke’s shoulders relaxed, but his face remained pinched in that displeased expression. 

Fugaku scowled, eyes fixed on Shisui before turning to the offending heckler. "You would do well to remember that " boy " is an asset to this village." The silent reminder that he was months away from becoming Hokage was clear. “The divorce will be finalized within the next few weeks. I gave my blessing to him already. Itachi knows this."

"And now Shisui’s wife is back, visibly pregnant and alone. This can't stand." One of the Uchiha’s muttered with a shake of her head and several murmured in agreement.

“Besides, no official  engagement ceremony has been completed, it can still be-”

“Absolutely not!” Shisui spoke up, cutting off the Yamanaka who stared at him incredulously. 

“Young man, you-” Another began but Shisui stood, shoulders squared. He was done with this, this meeting was over.

“With all due respect I have made up my mind. I asked Itachi to marry me and I intend to see that through. I have fought, bled and sacrificed so much for this village as well as my clan but I will not budge on having this. Itachi was the one choice I was able to freely make and I will not allow you or anyone else here disrespect him by claiming I should end my relationship with him.”

Katsumi openly stared at Shisui. She knew he was a formidable leader as well as a shinobi, but there was something about this Shisui that felt different. A glimpse into the person instead of the persona. 

“My personal life is my own and none of your business. The child will be provided for and Katsumi has made it perfectly clear that she’s more than capable of taking care of herself. Your concerns, while touching are completely unneeded and unnecessary."

“Shisui-” Yashiro began but there was a sudden loud  smack of wood hitting wood. They turned to the source.

“I daresay the boy has made up his mind,” Auntie stated out, slowly standing and holding her cane firmly. “This meeting is obviously a waste of all our time."

"Shisui must-" Another Uchiha started on but Auntie  huffed.

"I am an old woman, and I am sore and sitting here going round and round in circles is not something I wished to do with my day. If the young people say they are content, then let them be. You all look like a bunch of vultures to me and I have no patience for it."

“Fusae-san, certainly you must understand-” Auntie lifted her hand, halting him from speaking.

“What I understand is that you sitting here, barking orders is doing nothing but wasting my precious time, as well as everyone else here. If I wanted to listen to a bunch of uncontrollable children whining incessantly I would have opened a daycare center. Now, I am returning to my home. I suggest you all do the same." She slowly shuffled past her clansmen, smacking any leg that was in her way.

Well, it looked like the meeting was over and that Shisui owed Auntie a fruit basket or something. He stood, ignoring the lingering stares and whispers, offering a polite nod to Katsumi that was returned. He turned and stalked towards the door, nodding to Fugaku and Sasuke as he passed. Katsumi stood, grimacing as she tried to keep her footing and ignoring the hand reaching to help her, rushing to follow after Shisui.

"Shisui!" Shisui was barely out the door when Katsumi caught up with him, cradling her stomach abd Shisui waited for her. “That was really amazing what you did back there. The way you handled all their comments and refused to back down…you really did great.” Katsumi smiled at Shisui who blinked in surprise.

"I…thank you." He managed before blinking and clearing his throat. “If you need anything, you can come to me. I’m not going to turn you away just because we didn’t work out.”

"I know," Katsumi murmured, and Shisui’s eyes followed her hand as it caressed her stomach.

“Katsumi.” Inoichi Yamanaka approached and the two turned. “Come, we still have much to discuss.” He offered Shisui a polite nod and Katsumi turned back to Shisui.

“I'll talk with you later, Shisui.” She muttered before following Inoichi and Shisui sighed, tipping his head back and staring up at the sky.






Itachi was home by the time Shisui arrived, wearing one of his oversized shirts and standing at the stove. He had two cucumbers on the counters and looked up as he saw Shisui enter. “Well hello there.” Shisui grinned. “I like the shirt.”

“It’s hot in here.” Itachi replied simply, watching the boiling water and Shisui was genuinely surprised it hadn’t combusted yet. 

“You’re a danger to society.” Shisui teased as he came to stand behind him, pressing his crotch against Itachi who easily pressed back, still focused on the water. 

"Hmm, how was the meeting?" Itachi asked, as Shisui tried to guess what concoction he was trying to make.

"Went as well as you could expect." Shisui replied, lips pressing against Itachi’s shoulder and Itachi hummed.

"That bad?"

"Hmm." Shisui didn’t want to worry Itachi and it honestly didn't matter what either of the clans thought. Shisui and Katsumi had both moved on with their lives and could co-parent just fine. Itachi was willing to step up and that was all that mattered. The three of them could make things work and the clans could stop hovering.

Shisui slipped himself out of his pants and pushed Itachi’s shirt up, grinning against his neck. “No underwear?” Itachi peeked at him over his shoulder.

“I told you it was hot.” Itachi replied simply, but the glint in his eye told Shisui Itachi knew exactly what he was doing. Shisui grinned in response, sliding his cock between Itachi's cheeks and Itachi's breath quickened, grip tightening on ladle. 

"I'm cooking." He argued even as he rocked back against Shisui’s cock and Shisui laughed into his shoulder.

"Is that what they call it?" He reached over Itachi and turned the dial off on the stove. "We'll do take out." He whispered and Itachi nodded, head tipping back to allow Shisui access to his neck.

He hooked his arm around Itachi and hefted him onto the counter, hooking his arms under Itachi’s knee and pulling him forward. He snickered as Itachi grasped at the counter to keep himself from toppling over. “On the counter?” He admonished.

“Don’t act like you didn’t want this.” Shisui retorted stooping down to lick a strip against Itachi’s stomach, dipping into his navel and feeling Itachi tense.

“You certainly enjoy making assumptions don’t you.”

“Keep up that attitude and I’ll stick that cucumber up your ass.” Shisui threatened and Itachi crocked an eyebrow, causing Shisui to cackle in glee. “You would like that wouldn’t you?”

“You can stick whatever you want in me if you’d like.” Itachi breathed with a satisfied little smirk abd Shisui released a sharp breath at the mental image.

“Shit.”

His hand shoved up under Itachi’s shirt, thumb rubbing over a pebbled nipple and rolling it between his fingers as Itachi relaxed against the counter. He had learned just how Itachi liked to be touched, what made him tense and what made him squirm. He pushed Itachi down against the counter, fingers spreading across his stomach and dragging down, his mouth moving to nip at his thighs, satisfied at Itachi’s impatient grunt. 

Itachi’s cock was hard and leaking at the tip and Shisui took pity on him, swallowingItachi down, delighting in the staccato breath Itachi released. Using his arm, he yanked Itachi closer until Itachi’s back was laying flat on the counter with his bottom half in the air. He huffed out a breath, his shirt riding up and a single nipple peeking out.

He bobbed his head, tongue swiping up the head and over the slit,  Itachi tried to stifle his moan,s but the needy little sounds still reached Shisui’s ears. He slid his lips further down the shaft, tongue slithered down the underside of his length.

Itachi’s head fell back against the counter, fingers curling into Shisui hair and squeezing. Shisui relaxed his throat, moaning as Itachi's hips rocked up into his mouth. Shisui moved his hand and squeezed Itachi's ass, finger dancing along the crack and Itachi shifted.

 “Shisui,” He pulled away. “I’m still sore from last night.” Shisui’s touch instant softened, and he pulled free from Itachi's cock, lips shining with saliva.

“Hmm," They had been a little rough last night. "You wanna just skip tonight then?" He asked, hand moving to rub over his hip instead.

It had become a nightly occurrence for them. One would grab the other and bend them over the nearest surface or Shisui would awake to Itachi enthusiastically reaching for him, all sense of decorum gone. He definitely enjoyed when Itachi would pin him to the wall, taking command of Shisui’s body in a way he never would have dared try before. 

Itachi pulled himself up, shirt falling back down as he reached to pull Shisui up into a kiss, “Maybe I can…” His hand traveled to Shisui’s ass, fingers seeking his hole and Shisui grinned.

“Yeah, yeah that sounds good to me.” If Itachi wanted to fuck him, who was he to say no? He kissed Itachi again, bracing against the counter over Itachi’s head and Itachi’s legs wrapped around his hips to drag him closer. They could take it to the bedroom and Shisui would gladly ride Itachi if that's what he wanted.

He lifted Itachi off the counter, Itachi’s legs still firmly wrapped around him and his arms encircling his neck. They had barely made it two feet when there was a sudden, urgent knock on the door.

“Fuck!”

Shisui nearly dropped Itachi, struggling to set him back down on the counter. Itachi turned over as Shisui slid down to the floor. “Why the fuck is here?” He hissed, grabbing his discarded pants and pulling them back over his hips.

"I don't know." Itachi mouthed back, ducking down as if afraid the person would see him half naked and with a hard on. Shisui adjusted himself, motioning for Itachi to go as he stalked over to the door. 

He was surprised to see Katsumi standing at the door. Her short hair was a mess around her shoulders and the cold wind from outside had her shivering. 

"Katsumi?" Shisui managed. "What's up?" Shisui could only hope that she didn’t notice the bulge in his pants as he tried to play it cool.

"I-I just needed to see you. Maybe talk?"

"It's late." The fact that she had come all this way in this weather at this time of night had Shisui on edge.

“I’m sorry,” Katsumi muttered. “It’s just this whole thing with the clans have me so worked up, and I know I shouldn’t be stressing over things because of the baby, but I can’t help it. It's so much at once and everyone around me seems to have an opinion." She shivered again, the wind ruffling her hair. It was obvious that the meeting had unsettled her as well and Shisui couldn’t stomach the thought of simply turning her away.

“Hey, come in.” Shisui ushered her inside. “It’s too cold to be standing outside.” He led her into the kitchen.Itachi was nowhere to be seen, likely taking care of himself in private. "Could I get you anything? Food, tea?"

"Tea would be appreciated." She murmured, taking the chair Shisui offered her. He went to the stove, moving the pot Itachi had been using and putting the kettle on the burner.

"Some meeting, huh?" Shisui huffed, attempting to lighten the mood but it seemed to do the opposite with how Katsumi’s shoulders drooped.

"Yeah…it was a lot." She rubbed at her arm before glancing around. "You redid the walls." She noted.

"Yeah the old plaster really needed to go." Shisui took two cups from the cupboard, setting them down.

"It looks nice." She politely commented, scratching at her wrist.

"I really like how it's coming along." Shisui smiled as he gazed around the room. "It's a work in progress but it's home." Katsumi smiled and absently rubbed at her arm.

"Is Itachi here?" She questioned and Shisui fought down a smile.

"Yeah, I think he's in the bedroom." Shisui replied, glancing down the dark hallway. Ifnhe could get Katsumi to calm down enough and go home he could make up the interruption with Itachi.

"Did he officially move in yet?" Katsumi asked and Shisui shook his head.

"He's still got his loft in the village, but he spends most of his nights here. He'll move in once his lease is up." He took the steaming kettle off the stove and poured two cups of tea, carefully carrying them over to the couch and offering one to Katsumi.

Katsumi accepted the tea gratefully, letting it warm her chilled palms. "You seem happy."

"I am." Shisui replied, settling down in his seat and smiling.

"I know things have been tense between us, and that I am as stubborn as a mule, but I don’t want to be strangers." She gazed down at her cup as Shisui cocked an eyebrow. "I'd like to at least be friends. Not just for the sake of our baby, but for ourselves as well."

"I'd like that." Shisui offered her a little smile and Katsumi took a sip of her tea.

"Are you prepared? It won't be much longer until the baby is here."

"I still have the room set up, and I've been buying supplies here and there. Even got a new highchair all ready for them."

Shisui’s eyes were bright with enthusiasm and Katsumi couldn’t help but smile at him. "You're going to be a wonderful father." She reached out and placed her hand over Shisui’s. Then she suddenly grinned, hand moving to touch her stomach. Shisui looked at her curiously.

"Are you okay?" He asked in concern.

"The baby's kicking," Katsumi's eyes were shining as she looked from her stomach to Shisui. "Here, give me your hand." Shisui was stunned as she gently guided his hand to her stomach. 

He spread his fingers over the material of her dress, touching as gently as he could. For a moment he felt nothing, just the smoothness of her dress and the warmth of her skin. Then, underneath his fingertips he could feel the faintest movement, shallow thumps and Katsumi lifted her eyes to meet his.

"I-I feel her…she's kicking." Shisui breathed and Katsumi's lips twitched.

"She?" She arched a brow and Shisui’s cheeks felt warm at the amused look she was giving him.

"I…I dunno. A feeling I guess." He replied and Katsumi resteded both of her hands over Shisui’s, keeping it against her stomach.

"That's our baby, Shisui." Katsumi whispered, her golden hair brushing overbher cheeks. A baby. Their baby.

His eyes stung and he smiled. "Yeah, our baby." He agreed, gently stroking over her stomach. His baby, his daughter or son. It didn't feel real. 

Katsumi’s eyes scanned over the room. Itachi stood at the end of the hall, dresses in sweatpants and a sweater and watching in silence. She met Itachi’s gaze and she smiled, hand moving to lovingly caress her stomach, fingers curling over Shisui’s and gently squeezing.

Notes:

So there's that.

Chapter 44: Falling

Chapter Text

Some missions could be absolutely miserable from start to finish and this one certainly was in the top ten of shit missions Sasuke had been on. It was only a C-rank mission, but had turned into an absolute scavenger hunt after they had discovered evidence of another one of Orochimaru’s old labs. The guy was like herpes, popping up announced and unwanted and his labs were just the same. The abandoned underground hideout smelled damp and rotten and Sakura hadn’t stopped complaining since they had gone in. Sasuke was content to simply ignore her but as usual, Naruto could never shut up so it turned into the two of them bitching together as Sasuke pretended they didn’t exist. 

“It smells like someone died in here,” Sakura muttered as they walked through ankle deep sludge, glancing over her shoulder in open disgust. Sasuke almost wished they hadn’t found out about the lab, it would have saved him a lot of headaches and time. They had tried walking on the water, but there was so much debris floating in it that they kept stumbling over themselves. 

“It’s one of Orochimaru’s creepy labs, someone definitely died here.” Naruto replied, sloshing forward. Sasuke led them down the corridor, careful with his footing to make sure the floor beneath them wouldn’t cave. “I feel like we’re gonna have to get a bunch of shots from grannie when we report back.” He was grinning, somehow the idiot was trying to make jokes while wading through this mess. 

“I feel like my feet are going to be rotted by the time we get out of here.” Sakura sighed, staring down at the sludge in dismay. “What even is all this?” Something was floating in the murky water, likely a dead bird. 

“Shit, I think. Pipes probably broke and flooded the place.” Naruto helpfully responded and Sasuke sighed at the incoming response. 

Sakura screeched, hopping from one foot to another. “We’re walking in poop!? Eww No! Can’t we go any faster!” She bellowed and Sasuke ignored her. Naruto and Sakura followed him down the hall, ducking under a beam that had fallen, the water sloshing around them. 

“Yep, we’re walking through 100 percent Orochimaru grade poop. You can almost smell the guy. Wonder what kind of diet he has.” Naruto snickered and Sakura let out a dismayed moan at the thought. 

They reached the staircase leading to the lower level. Sasuke moved to approach the door and the floor beneath him creaked. “Oh no,” Sakura began. “I am not going down there in that sludge.”

“That’s where the lab is. We keep going.” Sasuke informed her and Sakura shook her head, hands on her hips.  

“We were told to locate the lab, not actually enter it. If we see it we can mark out maps and let the ANBU take care of it, as they are supposed to.”  She had a point, but Sasuke wasn’t interested in simply looking. He turned to tell them to turn back if they were so scared of a little water.

A crack reverberated down the hall, creaking ominously and suddenly the floor gave way beneath Sasuke’s feet. Before he could do anything he was falling. For a moment he was lost in the darkness, just free falling through open air and then he struck the ground with a pained grunt, rolling onto his side as the air was violently sucked from his lungs. He gasped, ribs aching. Coughing, he attempted to gain his bearings, relieved that his legs seemed to be in working order.

Sasuke! SASUKE !” Naruto was screaming, leaning forward and staring into the dark. Sasuke looked up, seeing his silhouette staring down at him, the rotten water pouring into the hole. “Sasuke, are you alright!?”

“Can you see him?” Sakura asked, standing just behind him with her hand reaching to steady him as he peered down.

“I’m fine!” Sasuke called back, flexing his hand to make sure it wasn’t broken, stepping back to avoid the spray of water. “Back up from the hole, dobe and head back towards where we came from. I’ll find you guys.”

“Do you even know where the staircase is?” Sakura huffed, obviously not happy to leave him behind.

“Well wherever it is, it’s not moving.” Sasuke argued, and Naruto snickered before being smacked on the arm by Sakura and clearing his throat. 

“How’s it feel to be sitting in Orochimaru’s shit?” He called down and Sakura squawked in disgust. 

Sasuke grimaced, not wanting to think about what he was currently standing in. “Still smells better than anything that’s come from your ass, dobe. Now go back before you both fall in with me.”

“Fine, be careful you asshole! We’ll stay at the door and if you don’t reach us in ten minutes we’re coming after you, okay?!” He called back and Sasuke sighed. “ Okay !?”

“Fine. Go.”

He listened to the sound of them backing away from the area, the rush of water muffling their movement. Sasuke glanced down at himself. He was drenched in shit water and mud and he had a deep cut at his knee. That was likely going to be infected. This mission officially was at the number two spot of worst missions, right behind the one where he actually had to interact with Orochimaru. He struggled forward, legs stinging as he sloshed through the water, looking for a door. He groped for the wall, fingers spread out as he walked, and his shin smacked painfully into something in the water and he swore loudly, hand moving to rub  at it.

“Are you hurt?” A voice in the dark spoke up and Sasuke turned sharply, sharingan activating and he locked eyes with the face hidden in the shadows.

 




It started with that satisfied little smile and from there, it snowballed. Katsumi would be at the house unannounced, in the nursery with Shisui as he enthusiastically showed her the supplies he had gotten or on the couch going over birthing options and baby names. Itachi would come over and Shisui would greet him with that same adoration and excitement as always, but with Katsumi at his side, smiling sweetly but Itachi could recognize the calculation in her eyes. It was a game he was very accustomed to. Hadn’t he played it with her once before when she was Shisui’s everything? Now the roles had changed and Katsumi was making it obvious that she wasn’t going anywhere. 

Itachi wasn't worried about Shisui. He trusted him and knew there was nothing to be concerned about. He didn’t however trust Katsumi. They both knew she was there to stay. The child she and Shisui shared would ensure that. Shisui of course did not notice anything amiss, he was so wrapped up in his impending fatherhood that he didn’t question why Katsumi had suddenly made nice, why she was always there and why she became saccharine sweet when Itachi would enter the room. Shisui always saw the good in people, and Itachi could hardly fault him for that. 

He stood outside, cleaning his windows and sweeping the area. A light dusting of snow had touched down last night, and Itachi could see his breath puffing in the air. He had moved some of his items over to Shisui’s house in preparation for his move. It still was a couple months before his lease ran out, but he wanted to be prepared for the move. His landlady was a gracious woman and Itachi would certainly miss the freedom that came with not living in the compound. He knew eventually he would be expected to move to the Hokage’s residence and he wondered if he and Shisui would have both homes available. 

He was unsurprised when he felt her familiar chakra approaching, not bothering to run inside to avoid her. “Hello Itachi.” She greeted as she came up behind him, her tone that familiar artificial sweetness.

"Katsumi," Itachi greeted without looking up. "I had wondered why all the birds had stopped chirping."

“Always with the sly tongue, Itachi.” Katsumi replied, just as sweet as before. “And here I was thinking we had become friends .”

"Is there a reason you're here?" Itachi asked, setting the rag down. He turned to look at her. She was dressed warmly in a light purple jacket and black leather gloves, her hair hidden beneath her hood.

“Can’t I have just come to visit?” She replied gently and Itachi fought down an annoyed sigh. He knew she was only doing this as payback, showing him that she hadn’t disappeared forever.

“Come in if you must.” Itachi finally stated, tone even as he opened the door for him and she smiled as she passed him.

“It looks like you’re well packed.” Katsumi hummed, gazing at the boxes in the corner, all labeled neatly. 

“Yes, preparing for the move.” Itachi replied as Katsumi looked around the apartment. “Is there something you need as I am quite busy.” He wanted to prepare for winter and make sure the windows were secure, and he still needed to clean out the gutters and get rid of the dead plants outside. Katsumi strode around, cradling her stomach before looking over at Itachi.

“You seem eager to be rid of me.” She commented thoughtfully and Itachi moved to stand by the window. Outside he could see a group of kids walking down the road, all bundled warmly against the chilly air. 

“I have a full schedule and don’t have time to entertain guests. I’m sure you understand.” He replied cordially as he turned back to her and Katsumi’s lips twitched. She pulled her hood down, blonde hair fanning her cheeks that were reddened from the cold. 

“I simply wish to fix this obvious tension between us, Itachi. I feel like we should come together, for Shisui’s sake.” Katsumi ran her finger down the counter as if looking for dust. “I don’t understand this sudden hostility now that Shisui and I are close. Do you not wish us to be friends? I figured you’d be elated to have a peaceful relationship.” Itachi wasn’t so naive, he knew Katsumi, knew her game even if Shisui was too kind a person to realize. 

“I figured you’d be attempting to fawn over Shisui. You’ve made your stance clear enough that I’m surprised you didn’t try urinating on his leg to establish dominance.” Itachi was never so outwardly rude, but after watching Katsumi cozy up to Shisui while watching Itachi had taken most of his patience. 

"Such a cruel tongue, Itachi. I’m shocked. I'm the mother of Shisui’s child, Itachi. I imagine we will spend plenty of time together." Katsumi laughed, her small hand placed over her heart, nails painted a soft blue. “Which is why I came here today.“The truth is I came here to discuss something with you.”

“Ahh, so you didn’t come just to visit.” Itachi stood at the counter and watched her and Katsumi laughed again, the sound like bells. If she was uncomfortable, she didn’t show it and Itachi doubted that she even was.

“I can come for both business and pleasure, Itachi. I am quite proficient at both.” Katsumi’s eyes seemed to be looking into his soul and Itachi struggled not to look away. She made herself comfortable in the little corner chair that Itachi favored. Itach remained standing, a slow discomfort rising up his spine.

“Well, what is it you wished to speak to me about?” He asked, tone even and Katsumi looked down at her hands, studying them for a moment. 

“I just thought it fair to tell you that I have no plans of divorcing Shisui.” Katsumi petted her stomach, lifting her head to look back at Itachi. On the way, the clock ticked. Itachi swallowed, hands flexing in discomfort. 

He’s divorcing you ,” He reminded her. “You agreed to it yourself.” He knew she was up to something, knew she would try something like this. The fact that she was in his home, acting like she had any say in anything was laughable. 

“And I was content with that decision, but now I have a child to think of and I refuse to allow that child to grow up in a broken home. Shisui and I can make it work, if you step aside." That was why she had reached out to Shisui. That was why she was always visiting. She was trying to worm her way back in and push Itachi back out.

“So that’s your goal here,” Itachi muttered. “Was this your idea or did your clan suggest it?” He knew he had caught her in this with how the corners of her eyes tightened. How long had they scolded her and pushed her to do something? It must have eaten at her to be given such orders. Is this why she had returned to the village, thinking Shisui would have been waiting for her and surprised to see he had moved on, or had she been warned that Shisui was in the company of Itachi.

“Regardless of how I came to this decision, it is the only responsible option. Our child deserves to have a full family.” So, it had definitely been a clan decision. For all her confidence and control, it seemed she could be cowed by pressure and obligation just like the rest of them. 

“And they will have it.” Itachi responded patiently. “Shisui and I are completely prepared to help raise this child. The child will be cared for and provided for.” It had taken time getting used to, but now he was looking forward to the baby. Shisui’s baby and by default his baby as well. He wanted this child in his life, even if that meant the mother came as well. 

You will not be part of that equation.” Katsumi replied primly. “At least, not in the way you seem to expect to be.” This had to be a joke, there was no way that Katsumi was that delusional. 

“You really think Shisui’s going to allow you to dictate his life? You tried it once and now here we are. I am in Shisui’s life so I will be part of his child’s.” He was going to keep his temper in check, he wasn’t going to fly off the handles and let his emotions get the better of him. 

“Unfortunately I cannot let that stand.” Katsumi tilted her head, a predator studying prey. Itachi was no prey. 

“Unfortunately you do not have a say in that.” Itachi retorted patiently. “Do you even want Shisui back or is this to appease your clan?” He almost pitied her, remembering how his own clan had often tried to push him in one direction. Yet he knew Katsumi enough that she wouldn’t obey unless there was something for her in return. 

"What I desire is none of your concern. I just need you to listen to me carefully. You're going to let Shisui go. I am his wife and you are his...fling.” She was certainly bold, he’d give her that, and any hesitation she might feel was hidden under that polished mask.

"Fiancée actually." Itachi replied blandly. "Or have you not been keeping up with the latest gossip?" Katsumi smiled, and it looked painful.

"Nothing is official yet. You haven’t had your engagement ceremony.” She spoke as if she had won an argument, and Itachi wondered if she knew that she was slipping. 

“All in due time, I assure you. Shisui is quite happy with me, and the future we are building together. You breaking his heart allowed him to move on and realize that he doesn’t need you to be happy.”

“The only reason he wanted you was because I was busy and you were available and easy." Katsumi stood. "The moment I give him the slightest sign that I want him back, he will drop you. Just like before.”

"You really do have quite a high opinion of yourself. Shisui has moved on from you. Perhaps it's time you did the same."

"He only thinks he's in love with you." Katsumi replied patiently. "It's only misplaced guilt because you wouldn't let him go. It's selfish of you, really. Don't you see that you're only hurting him?" Was she really this delusional or was this one of her mind games? Either way, Itachi wasn’t going to allow her to take the upper hand. 

"You barely ever paid him any attention during your marriage. He bent over backwards to please you and you didn't even care." Itachi stared at her in disgust. "You treated him like he was just another job to you. He deserved better than your apathy."

"Which is why you need to let him go. If he's so distracted by you, then what hope do we have to repair our marriage?" Katsumi shook her head. "He'll come to his senses when he realizes that I can provide more for him Let him go, Itachi. It's pathetic."

“What’s pathetic is you standing in my kitchen telling me that you think you have a chance in taking my fiance, as if he’s an object for you to claim. That's why your marriage didn’t last, Katsumi. He was a prop for you, not a person.” Katsumi walked over to Itachi, coming to stand directly in front of him, her stomach brushing over Itachi’s and her face lifted up towards him.

“I am going to fix my marriage with Shisui and I am going to offer you something. If you step back gracefully, I can make sure that you remain in his life. That you can still warm his bed and his cock and whatever else you wish from him.” Her eyes moved to look at his lips and Itachi slipped away, sidestepping over from the window.

“I’m not interested in whatever consolation prize you have schemed up. I am content where I am and I suggest you start to get comfortable.” Itachi jerked his head towards the door. “And I believe you’ve overstayed your welcome.” He was going to have to talk to Shisui about this. As much as he’d like to brush it aside, Shisui deserved to know what games she was trying to play. 

Katsumi folded her hands over her stomach, the dazzling smile never leaving her lips. "You can’t give him a family." Katsumi informed him. “He’ll want more than one child and I can provide that. Do you really think he would choose you over me? I am his soulmate and you are a mistake.”

“The only mistake here is your arrogant assumption that you have any claim over him.” Itachi replied, and stalked over to the door, opening it and motioning for her to leave. Katsumi seemed to accept that she was no longer welcome and she brushed by him out the door, lifting her head to meet his cold stare.

“Then let the best soulmate win.” She smiled and Itachi shook his head in disgust. 

“That’s where you’re losing, Katsumi. This has never been a competition.”

Chapter 45: Reputation

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

For all the pomp and grandeur, It couldn't be said that Konohagakure was without drama. There was always something going on behind the scenes, some warring faction at odds. It was like watching a sparring match, only the contenders were using words instead of weapons. ANBU might have the shit end of the stick in many ways, but man did they get all the good gossip.

"Uchiha Shisui will obviously choose Itachi-san," Bear stated after the latest incident as they turned in for the night. "They're a love match and Itachi-san is loyal." Bear was likely sucking up in hopes of a promotion. It was sort of sad. It wasn’t like they had much else to discuss, guarding the future hokage was a fulltime job and it came with certain perks like this.

"I wouldn't be so sure." Rat responded. "Yamanaka Katsumi has the child in her favor." That and the woman was manipulative beyond words. Not that Itachi-san couldn't be manipulative, but never quite to the degree that Katsumi effortlessly seemed to shine. Either way, she could be a threat and ANBU took threats against their Hokage and Hokage to be very seriously. 

"But no true loyalty in her heart." Bear shot back and Rat sighed. Okay, maybe Bear wasn’t aiming for a promotion. Maybe they were just a sucker for romance.

"You've always been a romantic, Bear. That or you spent too much time with Dog." Rat shook their head before glancing down the row of buildings. They had to report back to the Hokage and switch over with the next shift after briefing them, and the had already spent too much time gossiping as it was.  "In any event it's time to go. We have work to do." The two quickly jumped across the rooftops, the sun slowly rising over the trees; a new day was finally here.






Itachi had not been expecting the knock on his door early the next morning and he had rolled over, blankets wrapped tightly around him. He hadn’t slept well since his discussion with Katsumi and trying to figure out how to approach Shisui. Usually he would be up by now, but currently he was struggling to even sit up.

The front door suddenly burst open and Itachi swung up from the bed, hair a tangled mess and the blanket securely around him as he peered over the edge of the loft. Sasuke was standing in the middle of the kitchen and lifted a hand to wave, looking guilty at the sight of his brother. A copper haired boy stood beside Sasuke. He was tall with broad shoulders and warm amber eyes.

“Otouto?” Itachi frowned in concern and Sasuke had the decency to look embarrassed and ashamed by his sudden arrival.  

“I’m sorry, Nii-san.” Sasuke muttered. “I should have waited until later but I really wanted to see you. Our mission took us to one of Orochimaru’s old hideouts. He and another kid were there.” Orochimaru was quite famous for harboring kids in derelict places, much like Danzo and his facilities. 

Itachi studied the new boy curiously and the boy seemed to almost shy away. “Hello.” Itachi greeted and the boy waved, softly saying hello back before looking over to Sasuke as if for reassurance. 

“This is Juugo.” Sasuke motioned to him. “He and Suigetsu are going to stay in the village for now. The Hokage’s already spoken to them and gotten some information about Orochimaru.” Itachi blinked in surprise and Juugo shifted his weight from one foot to another, looking highly nervous.

“It is nice to meet you, Juugo.” Itachi commented. “Have you eaten anything yet? I can make you breakfast.” He moved to climb down the steps.

“Itachi, you’re cooking sucks.” Sasuke politely reminded him.

“I can order us breakfast.”





Itachi watched as Shisui sorted his medical supplies, the scent of medical oil heavy in the bathroom. He had been struggling with how to approach him about Katsumi confronting him a few days prior. It had been brazen of her, as if she had expected him to not tell Shisui and now here he was struggling to do just that. The day had gone by in a daze, Juugo and Sasuke having spent most of the morning with Itachi before going to look into housing in the village, just as many of Orochimaru and Danzo’s experiments were now doing.

"So I was thinking we have the engagement ceremony a month after the baby's here. Gives everything time to settle down for a moment. What do you think?" Shisui smiled up at him, eyes sparkling and Itachi blinked as he tried to focus on him and what he said.

“I…” Itachi was suddenly at a loss on what to say. “That sounds…that sounds great.” Shisui leaned forward and kissed him, setting the medical tape aside. He didn’t want to worry Shisui. Didn’t want him to fight with Katsumi and risk her using it against him. He would wait; it would all turn out okay.

That night he urged Shisui on top of him, wanting to make him feel good and Shisui sank onto him, hips rocking back and his eyes fixed on Itachi’s. Itachi wasn’t worried about Katsumi stealing Shisui away, not with the way Shisui looked at him. Not with the way they made each other feel. Itachi wasn't going to worry Shisui unnecessarily. He had so much already on his mind that the thought of adding to it seemed cruel.

“You-you think you’d wear the hokage hat while riding my cock?” Shisui asked with a little smile, voice just a bit strained as he moved his hips against Itachi, his curls framing his face and making him look beautiful. 

Itachi arched an eyebrow at him, holding on his hips as Shisui continued to ride him. “I…is that something you’re interested in?” He asked and Shisui grinned at him, hands moving to grasp his shoulders as he lifted his hips, slamming back down and knocking the breath from Itachi.

“I’ve got some ideas, yeah.” Shisui admitted, hand spanning over Itachi’s chest. “I mean, only if you agree to give them a try.” Itachi doubted he would be the first Hokage to do so, but it still made his cheeks redden at the thought and Shisui swooped down to kiss him, moaning against his lips. Itachi’s head fell back against the pillows, grasping at Shisui’s hip as the elder rocked against him, his cock bouncing with each thrust. Everything was fine, Katsumi would not get her way in this, it would all be well.

Shisui came with a choked off cry, just as Itachi did and they clung to each other, afraid to let go. Shisui flopped down on the bed, exhausted. Itachi turned over, curling up beside him and reaching out to gently rub his shoulder. Shisui was here to stay, Itachi knew that in his heart.






Shisui was unsurprised by another meeting being called, this time with far less people in attendance; Auntie was notably absent. Fugaku and Sasuke were both present, wearing matching looks of disdain. It was the same old arguments and plans for the child’s future. It had taken its toll, and Shisui was making plans. Shisui could simply follow Itachi’s lead and just leave the clan behind. They could have a future without clan politics getting in the way. They could raise the baby free from the prying eyes of the Yamanaka and Uchiha. He loved the clan and hated the idea of leaving but if that was the only way he could ensure a happy future then so be it.

“With Itachi about to be Hokage, we need to ensure that he is above reproach,” Yashiro was droning on, ignoring the daggers being glared at him from Sasuke. “He may no longer consider himself part of this clan, but he had obligations to us still. “You will only distract Itachi from his duties.” 

“Plenty of Hokage were married while in office,” Shisui snapped, feeling like his head was ready to implode. It certainly seemed bold of them to try arguing the same points and Shisui’s patience had long since worn thin.

“And none of them were Uchiha. We have to be above reproach. The clan has the chance to finally have one of their own-” 

“Oh please, you wrote him off years ago and now that he’s finally going to be Hokage you want to play nice. And besides, Yashiro, you never liked Itachi to begin with.” Shisui snapped, heat rising in his chest that they thought they could order Itachi around. It was rich of them to consider itachi one of theirs after how they treated him a few years ago. 

“This has nothing to do with my personal opinion about Itachi.” Yashiro snapped. “This has to do with him about to take on the hokage mantle and you not able to control your dick.”

“If it’s that much of a scandal then I can simply follow Itachi’s lead and leave the clan.” Shisui replied, shrugging and there was a roar from the crowd. 

“You cannot simply abandon the clan because you want to get your way!” Someone snapped, hand smacking against the floor.

“You have responsibilities here, Shisui!” Another cried out and Shisui relaxed in his seat. 

“I have responsibility to my immediate family and that includes none of you,” Shisui could feel Sasuke watching him, looking pleased. “What I do with my life is none of your concern. My child is none of your concern. My dick is definitely none of your concern.”

“Katsumi, surely you have an opinion on all of this?” One of the present Yamanaka’s asked and Katsumi frowned, looking uncomfortable about being dragged into the conversation. 

“I don’t see how my opinion will be of any merit,” She commented. “But if we are freely sharing, I do think it’s best for the child that isn’t pulled into this drama with Itachi. Itachi is barely even an adult himself and I don’t think he’s prepared for what parenthood entails.” 

“You can’t be serious-” Shisui stared at his estranged wife who frowned at him before turning away. “He’s about to be our fucking Godaime ! He practically raised his brother! You can’t claim he’s an immature child in one sentence then try to use his rank in the next!” Fugaku glanced at Sasuke who stared back at the crowd, daring them to say anything. 

“Katsumi, from the sounds of it, you seem to view Itachi as unsuited for parenthood?” The same Yamanka pushed, as if waiting for something. Shisui turned to glare at the old woman. How dare she, how dare they ?

"I meant no disrespect or anything to Uchiha Itachi, but I have my concerns. I mean, after the affair they had and everything-" Katsumi began before cutting herself off and the room went dead silent. All the air was sucked from the room and you could hear a pin drop.

"The affair?" A voice whispered from the crowd. Shisui slowly turned his head to look at Katsumi who held her hand over her mouth, looking mortified. "You and Itachi Uchiha were involved prior to you and Katsumi separating?"

“It was an arrangement set between me and Katsumi.” Shisui calmly replied, not cowing under their stares and trying to keep his temper in check. “Katsumi was the one to suggest it, and she gave the relationship her blessing.” All eyes turned to Katsumi who’s eyes suddenly flooded with tears.

“I felt like I had no choice ,” Katsumi croaked, dabbing her eyes. “If I said no he might have gone to Itachi anyway. I felt like I had to appease him.” Sasuke was half standing, looking ready to argue in his brother's defense and Fugaku’s face was buried in his hands.

“Could that be why you miscarried?” The elderly Yamanaka asked and Inoichi shot her a disapproving look while Katsumi grimaced.

“No,” She quickly responded. “The child came after Shisui ended things with Itachi as did losing it. Shisui isn't responsible for that.” She sounded sincere, but something bitter still ate at Shisui as he watched her.     There was more murmuring from the group, both Inoichi and Fugaku trying to maintain order.

“Shisui, Itachi is to be Hokage. If this is to get out it could ruin him.” Inabi muttered, sounding half defeated. 

“Katsumi and I are separated, it doesn’t matter anymore.” Shisui defended. There were murmurs from the gathered crowd, some shifting uncomfortably as they processed Shisui’s words.

“And the affair you were having with Itachi while still married? If that gets out it will ruin Itachi’s reputation.” One of the Uchiha pressed. “We all wish for you to mend your relationship with Katsumi. Her pregnancy is a scandal if you walk away.”

“I haven’t walked away. I’m just not with her anymore. Katsumi and I both agreed to end things. I already told you the child would be provided for.”

“Word could slip out and Itachi’s place as Hokage would be tarnished. Your standing in the village would be ruined, and Katsumi would face the brunt of it. Itachi is supposed to be above reproach, and this sort of scandal would destroy him before he’s even in office. All because you couldn’t let go of your pride.”

“Are you threatening me?”

“No, we just need you to see reason. People are talking. They see you with Itachi while your wife is heavily pregnant. Itachi cannot afford this sort of scandal looming over his head and he’s too loyal to you to take action. Word hasn’t gotten out to the general public about you proposing to Itachi and that is the only thing that’s shielding both of you from having your names dragged through the mud.”

Both clans knew as well as some friends on the outside, but Itachi did not go around flashing the ring.

“Do you want your child to have to suffer through this kind of scandal?”

Someone delicately cleared their throat and all eyes turned to Katsumi. She watched Shisui, hands folded neatly over her knees. "I am willing to try to mend things." She gently spoke up, eyes lowered. "I know we have had our ups and downs but I truly believe Shisui has the best of intentions." All eyes were on her and Shisui stared as her eyes began to fill with tears. “I truly love you Shisui and I-I…” She turned away from him.

"She planned this…" Sasuke croaked from his seat. "She waited to tell anyone until she knew she would get what she wanted out of it. She needed to make herself the victim.”

"Shisui isn't going to simply leave your brother." Fugaku gruffly assured him. Sasuke didn’t respond, staring at Katsumi in disgust.

“Katsumi, correct me if I am wrong but you were content to remain in Suna for your work.” Inoichi’s hands remained folded on his lap. “It feels like odd timing for you to suddenly decide to return to Konoha.” He was discreetly calling her out, visibly disapproving of the games she was playing. 

“Shisui deserved to know he had a child.” She responded softly. “And medically, I needed to return. Lady Tsunade ensured this pregnancy will not end up like the last one.”

“And you couldn’t tell him earlier?” Sasuke spoke up from his seat, meeting Katsumi’s eyes when she turned to him. Suddenly he was standing, ignoring Fugaku trying to pull him back down. “This is a joke right?” He yelled and everyone stopped talking to look at him. “Is this a game you really want to play? Shisui went to the current head of the clan for permission to marry Itachi, which he was granted might I remind you-”

“Sasuke, this is an adult conversation.”

“And yet I seem to always be dragged into these meetings, don’t I?” Sasuke shot back. “I’m the future head of this clan and if I’m old enough to sit through these meetings then I think I’m old enough to call you out when you’re wrong. Not only is Itachi about to be Hokage, but he’s been instrumental in the safety of both the clan and village, and you want to thank him by making weak threats as if he couldn’t air out all of our dirty laundry if he wanted to? I seem to remember being told quite a bit of our more recent history, and somehow that’s managed to stay behind closed doors. So why can’t this? Why is this what will make or break the clan when you all wanted to encite a fucking coup not even ten years ago!?”

Fugaku and Inoichi exchanged grave looks. Inoichi was well aware of the Uchiha’s earlier plot, having been instrumental in aiding peace talks after Danzo’s death. All of the clan heads knew, and it was meant to remain from reaching civilian ears or anyone who could attempt to claim treason. 

“We are hanging on by a thread and you’re all to stupid to see it! Itachi fucking Shisui isn’t going to be what ruins out clan’s standing, it’s all of you!” Sasuke continued. 

“Sasuke-” Fugaku sighed but Yashiro was suddenly yelling.

“--Just like your brother! Absolutely no respect for the clan for anyone-”

“THAT IS ENOUGH!” All fell silent as eyes turned to Fugaku who was now on his feet. “I will not listen to this talk here. We did not gather here to fight, we came here to ensure the prosperity of both clans. Shisui has been very clear since the beginning, and it is high time that we accept it.

“That’s easy for you to say, your son is the one he’s messing around with. Just because Itachi never got a soulmate doesn’t give him the right to claim another.”

“Shisui’s his soulmate, you absolute piece of shit!” Sasuke barked across the room and there was a flurry of indignant shouts. 

“Sasuke!” Fukagu rounded on his youngest who ignored him.

“He’s had Shisui’s name for years! Shisui ended up getting Katsumi’s name instead of his, so Itachi kept quiet about it.”

“That’s not possible.” Someone muttered in shock. The tension in the room shifted, like birds in a flock they were suddenly redirected to a new point. 

“It's unheard of.”

“It’s true. I may not have been lucky enough to get his name, but he has mine right on his hip.” Shisui stood “We’re done here. I am done here. Itachi and I will be married in a year, and you have no say in it. I am done letting this clan use me and ridicule Itachi while expecting him to favor us when he’s finally Hokage. I will not allow it.” He offered Fugaku and Inoichi a shallow bow and both men nodded, Inoichi still processing the information that Sasuke had given.  Shisui stalked from the room, people moving out of his way to let him pass as Sasuke looked on from beside his father.

“Shisui!” He stalked from the room, ignoring Katsumi as she reached for him.  “Shisui!” She called, struggling to stand. “Shisui, wait! I need to speak with you!” The door swung closed behind him, but Katsumi was soon waddling out as quick as her stomach would allow.  

The air was crisp and Shisui inhaled, closing his eyes. “What do you want?” he asked without looking at her, feeling her move closer.

“Shisui, I can’t do this without you.” Katsumi croaked and Shisui shook his head.

“You ended things with me . You didn’t even want me, and now that you’re not getting your way you’re trying to manipulate me. It’s not going to work, Katsumi. Not anymore.” he was done being used, done being a bystander in his own life. 

“And I was wrong to push you away.” Katsumi replied softly and Shisui studied her, eyes narrowed. 

“You did it on purpose. You waited to tell everyone until it would benefit you. Was that your plan all along?” Shisui accused. “All you do is use people. You can't just walk in here and expect things to get better, because you want it to go your way.”

“I did what I had to do, Shisui. I’m sorry this hurt you, but I couldn’t let you throw our entire life away for him.”

“I’m not throwing my entire life away. I’m finally living it without any outside interference. You wanted me gone and now that I am, you assume you can call me back like a loyal dog.”

“I know I pushed you away and I shouldn’t have. I love you, and I want to have a home with you and our baby. I want to wake up next to you every day and see you with our child. I want you to be the first thing I see when I wake up and the last thing I see when I go to sleep. I know you love Itachi and it’s genuine, but he’s about to be Hokage and he can’t be embroiled in the middle of all of this. The clan’s won’t simply let this go and the risk of someone finding out-” 

“The village respects Itachi. They’re not going to turn on him for something like this.”  Shisui argued, looking out at the village, eyes moving to the Hokage mountain, where Itachi’s face would someday be carved. 

“And if they do? Itachi has this opportunity to truly integrate the Uchiha clan within the village after all that has been done to them. He can’t just be a good or satisfactory Hokage. He will have to be the best and if he isn’t, him and your entire clan could suffer the consequences.”

 “I’m going home now, I suggest you do the-” Katsumi surged forward and kissed Shisui, fingers digging into his shirt as she clung onto him. 

She pulled back, Shisui staring at her wide eyed. "I am still your soulmate and I am still willing to fight for you and our family. I know you still want me, that your mark has been hurting you since Suna. Mine has as well. I know you will make the right choice for all of us. You always have.” Shisui shook his head, and turned on his heel.

"Goodnight Katsumi.” 

She watched as Shisui stalked off, every step seeming to be angrier than the last. "You have done well Katsumi," Yamanaka elder Umi informed her when she came to stand behind the woman and watched as Shisui turned the corner.

 Katsumi turned, regarding the elderly woman. "We don't even know if it worked." She pointed out, looking back to where Shisui had last been. 

Umi shook her head. "It doesn't matter. It puts doubt in his heart, and where there is doubt there is chance. I know you value your independence, but ensuring your child's future is the right thing to do." She reached out to gently touch Katsumi’s tense shoulder, feeling the young woman sag beneath her touch.

"Of course." She looked out at the village, eyes empty and she reached to touch her stomach,  “Anything to ensure the future.”

 

Notes:

ANBU has the latest tea and Sasuke's temper once again gets the better of him.

Chapter 46: Promises

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Inoichi was not surprised to see Umi accompany Katsumi when he requested an audience. The entire fiasco at the meeting with the Uchiha had only doubled his doubts and seeing Umi at Katsumi’s side made it all the more clear that he needed to say something before it was too late. Inoichi watched Katsumi as she carefully took a seat, grimacing in discomfort. “Thank you for coming to see me.” He greeted softly and she smiled tightly in response. 

“Of course, Inoichi-san.” She inclined her head. “I am honored to be called upon by the head of our clan.” He couldn’t tell if she was being sarcastic or not. It felt vital that he speak to her one on one without pring eyes watching. It was bad enough that Umi decided to accompany Katsumi. The woman was very traditional as well as a busy body and those two things often didn’t mesh well.

“Is this really what you want, Katsumi?” he pressed. “Growing up you never had an interest in a soulmate, at least not a shinobi.” Ino stood at the door, Inoichi could sense her unease as she listened in. 

“I was a child back then, Inoichi-san. I had to grow up sometime.” She replied. “Shisui and I had our ups and downs but now with a child involved I believe we can rectify our past mistakes.”

“Do you even wish to reconcile with him? Or is this something you feel you have to do?” Inoichi clasped his hands on his lap. When Shisui had first returned home alone there had been questions among the clan, letters written to Katsumi were answered with Katsumi assuring them all was well. She was happy and fine; her answers were vague and the clan could only make guesses to what had happened. Inoichi had watched as Shisui and Itachi Uchiha became closer and he wondered what Katsumi was keeping from him. When she returned heavily pregnant, it only added flames to the clan’s concern. 

“Surely you can understand that with a child on the way, Katsumi can’t afford to allow her pride to get in the way.” Umi spoke up from where she stood behind Katsumi. 

“Umi-san, I asked to speak to Katsumi. Your input, while valuable, is not desired.” Umi’s mouth instantly shut, visibly offended and Katsumi’s back straightened.

“It has been made very obvious to me that I don’t matter in the long run. My desires, my hopes. It stopped mattering once I became pregnant.” She went quiet for a moment, studying her hands. It was then that Inoichi noticed the stress lines on her forehead, aging her much more than it should. “I do want Shisui back, that is genuine on my part. If that means having to lose some of my other aspirations then so be it.”

“This doesn’t sound like the Katsumi I remember.” Inoichi murmured. "The Katsumi I know would never give up her goals for anyone, she would fight for what she believes in."

"Am I not doing just that right now?" Katsumi replied, blinking innocently and Inoichi sighed wearily, bowing his head.

“You’ve been so vague since Shisui Uchiha first returned to the village. We were all worried that he had left you for Itachi, and then you return heavily pregnant and name him as the father. It’s only natural that we assumed he had dishonored you in some way, especially considering the rumors from before you even left. Now Shisui is claiming you gave your blessing for him to pursue a relationship with Itachi Uchiha while still married to you.”

“I didn’t have a ch-”

“Do not take me for a fool, Katsumi. I know you a little too well for that.” Inoichi cut her off. Katsumi always had a choice, and this was just one of them. Umi visibly balked and Inoichi ignored her, sharp eyes focused on Katsumi. From around the corner, Ino shifted from one foot to another, anxiety rolling off her as she listened. 

“It was convenient. I loved Shisui and still do, but my work came first. I thought by letting him have his fun elsewhere I could continue on without distraction, at least until I was at a place where I would be comfortable to step back. When we moved to Suna, things were okay for a while. But it grew wearisome and I started to resent him, as if his presence was a constant reminder that I had dragged him from his home and family for my career. I wanted him gone. I wanted my freedom and after he was gone and I found out I was pregnant, I was too embarrassed to tell anyone. I didn’t want to deal with people judging me. I thought I could have the baby and ship it off to Shisui…but I wanted it. I want this baby as my own. Just as I want my husband back.”

“Your divorce settlement is nearly complete and he is now engaged to Itachi Uchiha.” Inoichi reminded her patiently, wanting to keep her from making a mistake. She had already stirred up enough trouble as it was.

“For now.” Katsumi replied coldly and Inoichi shook his head, a heavy hand dragging down the front of his face as he tried to process all of this.

“You want to stand against Uchiha Itachi? He is about to be our Hokage and you wish to make an enemy out of him?” He stood, pacing the room as Umi and Katsumi watched him. Ino  pressing against the wall, holding her breath as she listened.  “The Uchiha clan was willing to work with us when they believed that Shisui had been unfaithful and was divorcing you on a whim. You were not telling us anything so we could only assume you were too ashamed or embarrassed to seek our aid. Had they, had we known the truth, none of this postering would have been necessary.”

“I made it clear that I was fine-”

“Which obviously was a lie since you said otherwise at the meeting. Did you expect him to simply wait for you, especially considering Itachi somehow also has his name? You could have both been very clear about things but you purposely chose to keep vital details to yourselves, now I don’t know what I can do to help you.” 

This was turning out to be far more complicated than Inoichi had expected. Fugaku had tried to assure him that Shisui was an honorable man, that he hadn’t simply forsaken Katumi, but Inoichi had been stubborn. He had thought he was simply trying to protect his son’s interests and that Shisui had abandoned Katsumi. Fugaku had obviously not known about the earlier affair and both clans were now scrambling on how to handle this. Had Katsumi or Shisui just been honest from the beginning rather than tiptoe around they could have handled this much more amicably. 

There was still a risk that Itachi could face backlash over being involved with a married man, and as the incumbent Hokage he couldn’t risk any scandal to his name. If Katsumi hadn’t announced it to the entire group then maybe they could have done some damage control, but enough people had heard and were calling for Shisui to end his engagement with Itachi and return to Katsumi. The fact that Katsumi had allowed the affair was not enough for them. Then she saw a chance to play that victim role and she took it, knowing that she would get sympathy and the rest would turn on both Shisui and Itachi. Katsumi was the victim in their eyes and now Inoichi’s hands were tied.

 




It was clear out and the evening air had a chill to it. Nights were getting colder as winter approached and frost had begun to decorate the grass in early mornings. Winter was fast approaching. Hiruzen dismissed Itachi for the evening, offering him a fond smile. "There is nothing else you need, Hokage-sama?" Itachi asked and Hiruzen huffed out a chuckle. 

"No, you have done quite well, Itachi.” Hiruzen responded, setting his files aside and leaning back in his chair. "Go get some rest and enjoy your evening, you've earned it." He leaned back in his chair, his weathered fingers stained black with ink. 

"Hai, Hokage-sama." Itachi offered Hiruzen a low bow before slipping from his office, bidding him a goodnight. He stepped outside, glancing up at the night sky. Sasuke was going to be over with Juugo sometime tomorrow afternoon and Itachi wanted to clean the loft before they arrived. He and Sasuke had discussed letting Juugo stay with him for a bit until they could find a place for him and his friend Suigetsu. Itachi agreed readily. The space was small but Juugo was more than welcome. 

He ran into Kakashi on his way back to his apartment and they walked together for the last stretch. "Mah, well you're nearly a married man." Kakashi teased. "My sweet little kohai, all grown up. Where does the time go?" He wiped a fake tear.

“Taicho you’re too much.” Itachi replied, half embarrassed, half fond and Kakashi seemed to take that as a compliment. The ANBU detail assigned to Itachi followed him as he made his way back home. They usually ensured he made it to his apartment safely and then returned to other duties. Itachi wondered how much they gossiped with each other. Kakashi-senpai and Tenzo were awful with it, constantly giggling like girls over the latest scandal.

“His ex giving you any trouble?” Kakashi was looking at him from the side of his eye and Itachi remained aloof as they walked.

“Nothing that I can’t manage.” He replied and Kakashi immediately understood. 

“You tell Shisui?”

“I don’t want to worry him unnecessarily.” Itachi explained. He didn’t want Shisui to go confront her and have her pull something to mess with his head. Itachi wouldn’t put it past her to blame him for her difficult pregnancy. 

“It would worry him more if you didn’t,” He replied. “Last thing you want is for her to swoop in without him realizing.” Little did he know that was exactly what Katsumi told Itachi she would do.

“I know, Taicho.” Itachi admitted. Kakashi was right. Keeping this from Shisui wasn’t doing him any good at this point. Shisui deserved to know what she was plotting, even if Itachi didn’t want to worry him. “I’ll talk with him when I see him in the morning.” He promised and Kakashi seemed to accept it.

“You’re both welcome over to Genma’s place for drinks this weekend, his treat.” That sounded about right. 

“Is this coming from Genma?” Itachi asked and Kakashi waved a dismissive hand. 

“I don’t know, probably.” He offered Itachi a salute before heading down a side street towards his own apartment. Itachi walked the path leading to his door, feet leaving imprints in the snow.

 Itachi reached the door and he could feel Shisui’s chakra inside. He smiled to himself, fumbling for the keys before opening the door and slipping inside and closing the door. In the dark, he removed his shoes, wiggling his toes in appreciation of the warmth. Shisui often would ‘break’ into the apartment and Itachi was looking forward to spending the evening with him. It wasn't often that their schedules perfectly matched up and Itachi was looking forward to having that time with Shisui. That morning Shisui had been ravenous, just wanting to touch him and hold him and Itachi could think of little else.

Shisui was seated on the sofa, sitting stiffly with his head bowed. When he heard Itachi enter he stood. “Itachi.” His eyes were large and dark, stark against the paleness of his face. He looked sick and Itachi was immediately concerned. 

“Shisui,” Itachi greeted, offering Shisui an uncertain smile. “I thought you wouldn’t be over tonight.” Shisui had been busy as of late, with the baby and figuring out missions schedules he had barely had time to spend over at Itachi’s, but they made a point of having breakfast with each other. 

“Itachi I…” Shisui’s voice trailed off. “Itachi we need to talk.” There was something raw about his tone and it instantly had a chill running down Itachi’s spine. He never sounded this serious. 

“Talk about what?” Itachi set his bag down. Shisui’s eyes lowered, looking down at his feet. Itachi watched him breathe out, the sound haggard as if his lungs could not handle it. He finally lifted his head, eyes meeting Itachi’s and shoulders squaring. 

“Itachi…Itachi, Katsumi and I are not divorcing.” The words felt oddly loud in the small room and Itachi shook his head in confusion.

“You can’t be married to two people, Shisui.” He pointed out, and he even smiled at the ridiculousness of Shisui’s comment. Was there trouble processing the paperwork or was Katsumi resisting the entire thing as she had said she would. If Shisui needed Itachi’s help in finalizing anything then Itachi would happily oblige. Shisui didn’t smile back and slowly Itachi’s slipped away. 

“I’m so sorry Itachi.” 

Itachi stared at Shisui, not understanding why he was looking at him like that, not understanding exactly what he was doing. He frowned, blinking and his eyes immediately scanned the room. Shisui’s flack jacket that usually was hanging next to the door was gone and his slippers that he always wore when at Itachi’s were no longer on the floor. It then all hit Itachi like a physical blow.

Was he dying? That constricting pain in his chest was growing tighter and tighter. He couldn’t breathe. He couldn’t breathe

“Shisui,” He managed, “I don’t-I don't understand.” He didn’t, it didn’t make sense. He took a step back, a trembling breath escaping him and Shisui’s sad eyes watching.

“I’m so sorry, Itachi.” Shisui was talking but Itachi could barely hear him. “I have to do this, I can’t abandon her or our child.” He wanted his picture perfect family and Itachi could not provide that. “You’re about to become Hokage and I can’t in good conscience let you be tangled up with my drama. Not when there are so many people waiting for you to fail.” It sounded like a weak excuse, something to relieve Shisui of any guilt. 

“I don’t care about what people think of me,” Itachi replied in defense. “Shisui, I’m not worried. I know people will talk but that’s all it is. Talk. You don't have to go.”

“Itachi-” Shisui tried to speak up but Itachi cut him off, fingers grasping at the ring around his finger. 

“Plenty of past Hokage’s had significant others and that wasn’t seen as a distraction. Why would we be any different?” He stared at Shisui who slowly breathed out, looking away. 

“I can’t be the reason you don’t succeed. I can’t let my issues with Katsumi and our entire arrangement affect you when you have such a bright future in front of you.”

“I don’t care about Katsumi or whatever threats she’s made. It doesn’t matter, Shisui. Why would any of this worry you?”

“Because we started this entire thing when I was still with Katsumi. That alone could be enough to negatively impact your role.” Shisui was stiff, speaking as if he was reading from a script. Had he been put up to this? Was this even his idea?

"You promised me, Shisui. You swore ." Itachi croaked. “You told me that you wanted to be with me, you told me it was over with you and Katsumi.” Itachi began to pace, clasping at his wrist to stop his hands from shaking. “You already spoke with my parents, people already know .” They didn’t have the official engagement ceremony or have a wedding date, but Itachi was wearing that promise on his finger.

“You are going to be Hokage, I would only be a distraction from that, you deserve to begin your tenure without her or my shadow crossing you.”  It was like he was reading on repeat. Itachi couldn’t stand it. There was a ringing in his ears. 

“No,” Itachi replied. “No Shisui ! I don’t understand. Why are you saying this?” He should have gone to those meetings with Shisui. He should have shut down any who spoke against them. Why hadn’t he gone with him?

“Because I have to let you go.” There was a tremble in Shisui’s voice and Itachi stalked from one side of the small loft to the other. That was why Shisui had been so clingy as if late, he had been preparing to say goodbye.

 “I forgave you. I forgave you for everything and I helped you while she was fucking around in another village! She didn’t care enough to write to you! I changed your bandages, I kept you fed and I made sure you didn’t waste away to nothing yet she’s still the one you run to!?” Itachi was yelling, as if everything was pouring out of him in an uncontrollable current. He had never released such anger like this, such raw vitriol pain directed at the one person who always seemed to bring it out in him.

“I have a child to think of now,” Shisui replied. “They need a mother and a father, they need stability.”

Itachi did not offer stability, he was a crumpling deck of cards. “You don’t have to be with her to be a good father.” He argued, voice weak and Shisui’s smile was sad. He looked away for a moment, slumping down on that couch as if hoping it would consume him and clasping his wrist hard enough to bruise. 

"Itachi, don't try to make me choose between you and her,” Shisui slowly met his eyes and they were empty, devoid of any emotion. "I'd choose her." He slowly rose to his feet.

Itachi stared at him. “I don’t believe you.” He replied simply. Someone had set him up to this, someone had forced him to say all of this.

Shisui swallowed then, it looked as if he was in pain. He closed his eyes. For a moment he did nothing, standing there stiff and silent while Itachi waited for him to speak. When he finally opened his eyes, a sheet of ice was suddenly present.  "You were easy, Itachi. I had my fun with you but my wife is back now and she’s carrying my child. Something you could never give me. I don’t need you anymore.”

"You don't mean that." Itachi croaked. "You don’t actually mean that.” Shisui was only trying to push him away, to make Itachi doubt. Shisui was never this cruel, even at his angriest. 

“I don’t want to be with you anymore, Itachi. How could you hope to compete with Katsumi?” Shisui continued woodenly. “I have a child on the way with her, she is my soulmate, and we can mend our relationship. I can finally have the family I always wanted, the one you can’t provide.” 

“Shisui, don’t do this.” Itachi spoke calmly, but a storm was brewing in his heart. 

“I don’t want you.” Shisui was practically robotic. “Your mark is a mistake, this was a mistake.” 

Silence hung heavy in the loft and they stared at each other for a long while. 

“Very well.” There was a coldness to his voice that he had not heard in a long time, a chilling spiteful anger rising from deep in his chest. Itachi’s anger had never been white hot and consuming, no his anger was nothing but ice and halting. Itachi reached for the ring on his finger, hands trembling so violently that it took him a moment to remove it.

“Itachi no,” Shisui spoke up, the mask he was wearing slipping away. “You don’t have to do that.” In that moment, he was Shisui again and Itachi hated it.

"Why would I keep it?" Itachi replied, holding the ring out. "Give it to Katsumi, I'm sure she will love it." Shisui didn’t want to do this. He was bowing under the commands of others and it only proved that Itachi meant nothing. He was nothing. 

He was so stupid, so fucking stupid!

Shisui took the ring with trembling fingers as Itachi’s hand remained steady. It was as if the ring weighed heavy with how he seemed to buckle under it, carefully pocketing it away, unable to meet Itachi’s eyes.

“I’m sorry Itachi.”

“You’ve already said that.” Ice poured from his veins and Shisui visibly shrank under his gaze, head bowed like a disobedient dog. 

“Goo-goodbye.” There was that strangled weakness in Shisui’s voice, as if it pained him to speak. Itahi did not respond, watching as Shisui dragged himself towards the door, a paperman through and through.

Shisui !” Itachi’s voice practically ripped from him as he ran after the older man. Shisui paused, looking back at him. “If you-if you walk out that door. Do not ever presume to be welcome through it again.” 

Shisui could turn around now, he could walk back to Itachi and take it all back and Itachi would accept it. Shisui just needed to walk back in. Itachi would forgive him. 

Just come back…

.

.

.

.

.

Snow blanketed the ground, a hush falling over the sleepy village as most rested. There was a knock on the door.  A gentle breeze sent wisps of snow into the air, twirling under the night sky.  Katsumi opened the door to see Shisui standing on the other side. "Shisui?" She whispered, arms wrapped protectively around her. Shisui looked at her, eyes seeming to be a stark contrast against his ashen skin. 

 

"I'm here to bring you back home." Shisui muttered, voice barely audible and Katsumi beamed. She threw her arms around his neck, kissing his cheek and Shisui stared past her, barely feeling as she ushered him inside and firmly closed the door.

.

.

.

.

.

The door was closed and the apartment went silent. Wind rattled the windows. Itachi released a breath. All this time wasted, all those promises nothing but lies. Itachi did not want to cry. He hated crying and Shisui wasn't worth his tears. But the little boy who had loved and followed Shisui faithfully for years was mourning and Itachi wept for him, sinking onto the kitchen floor and burying his face into his knees.

It was a long time before he moved again.

Notes:

Well that certainly got dark.

Chapter 47: Offers

Summary:

Just wanted to thank all of you for the support you've shown with this story. I am loving reading all your thoughts and opinions on how this will end.

Chapter Text

As the wind tore through the village and most tucked in during the early morning to keep warm, Itachi sat atop Hokage mountain.It was too cold to linger outside for long, but Itachi remained, arms wrapped around his legs and chin resting on his knees as he stared out at the early morning sky. He wasn’t sure how long he had been sitting out here, using his chakra reserves to keep his fingers and toes from freezing. He didn’t want to go back to his half packed apartment, he didn’t want to be in the space where Shisui had left him behind. Again.

He reached for his throat, fingers catching the chain of the necklace. He should destroy it, throw it away into the Naka river and forget about it. He could forget about Shisui. Yet, he hesitated, touching the necklace as if it were precious. He should destroy it…he couldn’t. Not yet.

He felt someone approach and he didn’t look up, stubbornly remaining where he was, eyes starting to blur from staring out for so long. Kakashi came to stand behind him for a moment, hands stuffed in his pockets.  “You’ve been out all night?” He asked and Itachi shrugged.

“Possibly.” He had left once he had been able to feel his legs again, wandering in the cold and unable to bring himself to return home. ANBU watched over him as they always did, and even with all those eyes on him, Itachi still felt alone. 

“Boar told me you were sitting up here alone. What’s up” Kakashi asked and Itachi breathed out, his breath visible in the frigid air. Itachi watched the treeline, imagining himself flying high above and away from everything down below.

“Shisui went back to Katsumi.” Itachi informed him calmly. “Our engagement is over.” It felt real when he said it, final. Shisui didn’t want him, at least not enough to stay.

“I see.” Kakashi murmured after a moment of silence before sitting down beside Itachi as Itachi stared out over the village below. It was quiet for a moment and Itachi could practically feel Kakashi watching him.

 "Please don't start with a lecture, taicho." Itachi muttered without looking at him. "I don't think I can stomach it right now." He didn’t want to hear any ‘I told you so’s’ He couldn’t stand the thought of being scolded over this.

"I'm not here to lecture you." Kakashi replied softly, looking out at the sky. 

"I'm so stupid." Itachi muttered. “I knew he’d choose her again. I shouldn’t have let him back in my life. I knew it was foolish to get involved again, especially when she came back…I’m so stupid.”

"No”, Kakashi shook his head. "This will be a lesson for you one day. A stepping stone in life, but today it just hurts and that's okay." His voice was nearly lost in the wind but it soothed Itachi and his tensed shoulders slowly relaxed. 

“Thank you, Kakashi.” If there was a hitch in his voice, neither spoke of it. Itachi’s cheek rested against his knee and Kakashi gently nudged him, his smile kind and sad all at once.

“Let’s get you home. I know a good hot chocolate place on the way.” He offered, smiling under his mask and Itachi nodded, chilled fingers curling against his clothes. 

“Hot chocolate sounds good.”

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.



It did not take long for news to spread.

Gossip in Konoha was much like locus on a farm. It spread far and fast. Sasuke was furious. Fugaku and Mikoto ignored any other clan members' attempts to speak to them and the Yamanaka were all divided on this outcome. It seemed that once the puzzle had been complete, many found fault in Katsumi’s lies and manipulations while others remained firmly in her corner. Mikoto made a point of seeking Shisui out herself, passing by her clansmen who were quick to get out of her way as she slowly strode over to Shisui’s house, entering without knocking and surprising him.

“Mikoto-” He began and Mikoto lifted a hand to silence him.

“You are no longer welcome in our home.” Mikoto informed him evenly. “Whatever regard we held you in before is nothing now.” She was cold with her anger, much as Itachi was. While Fugaku and Sasuke were all fire and heat, Mikoto and Itachi were a blizzard.

“Mikoto, I never wanted to hurt Itachi, but I had to be realistic.” Shisui looked from Mikoto to Fugaku. “They would have revealed our affair. It would have ruined him.” There was so much she didn’t know, could never know. Mikoto shook her head. 

“And here is my input. You strung him along, put a ring on his finger and the moment your ex wife made things even a tiny bit difficult for you, you folded and went crawling back.” Shisui couldn’t answer, mouth going dry and Mikoto shook her head, turning on her heel to head back to the door. “Sasuke will be by later to gather Itachi’s belongings. I expect them to be untarnished.”

“I would never destroy his things.” Shisui croaked in mortification and Mikoto turned to study him, dark eyes narrowed.

“No, I suppose you saved that for destroying him.”

Naruto Uzumaki was indignant in his anger on Itachi’s behalf, writing to Gaara about the entire fiasco and Gaara kindly writing back his sympathies, although he didn't know who half these people were. Juugo knew to give Sasuke time, but seeing the younger boy so upset for his brother left Juugo wondering what could drive a person to be so cold. Sakura had been visibly upset and had barely spoken to Ino out of loyalty to Sasuke, until Ino had left in a flood of tears with Sai following after her and Sakura feeling guilty and disgusted with herself. 

Katsumi was unaware of any of this current gossip, far too lost in her own excitement. She excused how closed off he seemed around her, how depressed he was. She understood. He had to make a hard decision in leaving Itachi, but it was the responsible one. As much as she hated to admit it, Itachi was an important part of Shisui’s life and in another time, another place they would have stayed together. Had Katsumi not discovered her pregnancy, she would never have returned and let Shisui go. Unfortunately the pregnancy meant that she had to fix her marriage and ensure Shisui would not abandon her.

He avoided her, only touching her when necessary and he seemed distracted, but Katsumi would give him time and space. She’d give him time to mourn before reminding him why they had fallen in love in the first place.

“Shisui finally came back!” Katsumi informed her grandmother early that same afternoon. “I’m moving back into his house with him. I don’t know what changed his mind, but we’re finally together again.” She poured her grandmother a drink, smiling ear to ear like a little girl who had been given her favorite doll.

Umi smiled, picking up her cup. “Isn’t that a nice surprise.” She murmured. 

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.

 

.



Later in the evening, Sasuke bodily pushed past Shisui and entered his home. “I’m here for Itachi’s things." Shisui looked awful and it satisfied Sasuke to see it. There were shadows under his eyes and his hair was even more unkempt than normal. Shisui didn’t speak, simply watching him with his eyes large and dark. It was pathetic.  “I mean what the fuck, Shisui? You were so adamant to stay with Itachi two days ago, now you’re crawling back to your shit ex? After all my brother did for you?”

 He couldn’t believe it. When he had heard about it, he had thought it had to be a joke. But then he had gone looking for Itachi and he was nowhere to be found, the ANBU unit assigned to tail him informing Sasuke that he did not wish to be disturbed. The worst part was that very same evening, Katsumi was back in that house as if it were hers. Her shoes were now in place of Itachi’s, her little trinkets and books replacing Itachi’s knapsack and scrolls. It was the complete audacity of it all. 

“These things are a bit over your head, Sasuke.” Shisui finally spoke up with a shake of his head. It was the same old excuse again and again. He didn’t want to hear it, especially from Shisui.

“Sounds like an excuse to me. Do you have my brother's things?” He looked around the house, his distaste visible on his face. The floors were all redone, Itachi’s own hands had helped fix this house, a house he would never get to live in. 

“Yeah, I have them packed here.” Shisui motioned to a neatly packed box in the corner with Itachi’s name written on a piece of paper. 

"Well, aren’t you ex of the year.” Sasuke groused, swatting Shisui’s hand away when he offered to help lift it.

“Shisui? Is someone there?” Katsumi’s voice called from the kitchen and Sasuke turned his narrowed eyes towards the sound of her voice, lowering the box back onto the floor.

“You certainly wasted no time, did you.” He muttered, and walked towards the kitchen, Shisui at his heels. Katsumi was seated at the table, a cup of tea in front of her and a small book in her hand.

“Sasuke.” Katsumi greeted with a small nod when she spotted him. Her hair was pulled back, pinned in place with bobby pins and she was wearing an oversized shirt that Sasuke recognized as one of Shisui’s that Itachi used to wear. Sasuke crossed his arms over his chest and studied her, eyes searching her face and down her body as if looking for something and coming up empty. 

“So, you left my brother for this ?” He didn’t sound impressed and he could practically feel Shisui dragging his hand down his face.

“Sasuke!” He breathed out in distress and Sasuke hated him for it. Hated that he thought any of this would be easy. How could he just leave Itachi after all he had done for him? It didn’t make sense. Sasuke wasn’t in love with Juugo, not yet anyway, and maybe the situation with Shisui and Itachi was different, but Sasuke would never just drop Naruto for Juugo, even if he did fall in love. He doubted Juugo would even put him in that sort of situation, or that Naruto would even let Sasuke leave but still, Sasuke didn’t understand it. 

“He returned to his soulmate and wife.” Katsumi corrected him and Sasuke snorted, not looking convinced. 

“If I took my brother’s lead I’d simply ignore you and go about my day. It would be the polite thing to do after all.” He spoke up lighty and Katsumi narrowed her eyes, as if mentally preparing for a fight. 

“Sasuke-” Shisui began and without looking, Sasuke slid the door shut in his face, eyes fixed on Katsumi who was looking at him in amusement. 

“Unfortunately for you I’m not as polite as my brother and if you think I’m going to fall for any of your bullshit then I think it’s fair to let you know that you’ve only managed to make an enemy out of me.”

“I’m not scared of you, Uchiha Sasuke.” Katsumi replied coolly. 

“You should be. I’ll be clan head someday and the current clan head doesn't think too highly of you either. Whatever manipulations and hopes you had coming into this clan were, let me dask those right now by letting you know we don’t buy it. You might have most of your clan and Shisui falling for your stupid games, but not me.”

Katsumi took a sip of her drink, not breaking eye contact with Sasuke. “I wouldn’t assume a child would understand how real life works, but I can assure you that this has never been a game.” Sasuke snorted.

“You managed to make an enemy of the future Hokage and future clan head all in one day. I suppose you really are all that. So if you thought you’d charm your way into our good graces then let me dash those hopes right now, I will make sure that you never have any of that high standing you covet so much. Your looks that you value so highly are already starting to fade, and you’ve managed to offend enough people that your reputation will never really recover. Before you know it you’ll be a recluse in your own village pathetically chasing your past accomplishments and wishing that you had even an ounce of the relevance that my brother has.” 

He heard Shisui sigh on the other side of the door and he turned on his heel, opening it and meeting Shisui’s miserable stare.

“Sasuke, please-”

“I’ll be taking Itachi’s things now, enjoy yourself.” Sasuke brushed by him and swiped the box up. “I’m sure it will go much better than last time.” He didn’t even bother slamming the door shut behind him, leaving it wide open with Shisui staring after him, looking like his life was over.






Days passed. Itachi destroyed the letters, all still unopened. He burned them one by one, watching as they crackled and curled on themselves, blackening into nothing. His landlady was more than happy to allow him to stay, expressing her condolences about the situation and assuring him that he was welcome. He thought that destroying the letters would alleviate some of the pain he was feeling; it didn’t.

It didn’t matter. He still had work to do.

He ran into Katsumi on his way to the Hokage’s office and as expected, she wouldn’t let him walk away without gloating. “I am sorry things turned out this way, Itachi. I did warn you.” She called after him as he walked. People on the street were watching and for once it seemed she didn’t care about keeping that squeaky clean image, striding after Itachi as fast as her stomach would allow her. 

They kept walking, Itachi intent on reaching the office and ignoring her and Katsumi intent on speaking to Itachi.  "Sometimes you have to make difficult choices in order to secure a better future." Katsumi explained, voice softening as she brazenly linked her arms with Itachi, knowing he would not cause a scene.

“As enlightening as this conversation has been, I have places I need to be.” Itachi gently untangled his arm from hers, bidding her a good day.

"Did you really think I was going to simply allow you to ruin things for me? I wasn’t going to let my child be some bastard nobody. They now are the child of two highly esteemed clans.” Katsumi squared her shoulders as if hoping to make herself look stronger, but Itachi stood taller than her now. She no longer had that advantage she had before.

“You’re delusional.” Itachi shook his head and kept walking, Katsumi following after him and struggling to keep up. Itachi wondered if he pushed her down, would she roll away?

She followed him down a secluded corner, reaching out to grab his elbow and halt him. “I’m making this offer now. Shisui and I are back together as intended and our child’s future is secure, but you can still be involved.”

“What are you talking about?” Did she expect him to babysit or something? Play nice while she went on dates with his ex fiance?

 “You can be our third,” Katsumi offered. “Come live with us and you’ll be able to have Shisui whenever you want.”

“Your… what ?” Itachi could barely get the words out. His brain must have short circuited somewhere along the way and Katsumi was watching him as if it was a completely normal statement to make. 

“You’re going to be Hokage and you can use all the help you can get. You are more than capable as a shinobi, but for civilians, you’ll need to offer them something. I can help you there. I already have a name within the village and Shisui’s well loved by the public. And you can be with us, Shisui adores you and would be thrilled to have you with us and I find myself attracted to you sexually.”

Itachi blinked.

Katsumi’s lips moved to nip at his ear, licking the shell and smiling as he shivered. “We can take care of you, Itachi. There’s no need to keep punishing yourself over this.” She moved to kiss his throat and he stood frozen, her hand stroking down his chest and spanning over his heart. “Let us take care of you, you’ll be much happier. Shisui and I will be the united front, with our beautiful children and you will be there every step of the way.” Her hand moved to cup his crotch and finally Itachi came back to himself, pushing Katsumi away in mortification.

"I don't want anything to do with you. Or your husband. I want you to disappear from my life." He didn’t want her to darken his doorway or turn up with that sickly sweet smile. The fact that she even made such an offer was outstanding. He didn’t want her or Shisui, he wasn’t going to simply fall in line for them so they could have their cake and eat it too.  She looked offended at his refusal, as if she couldn't believe he had turned her down.

“You can’t blame Shisui for making his decision. You couldn’t give him what he truly wanted. A child.” Katsumi shrugged. “I saw a chance to ensure my child and I a comfortable future and I took it.” 

"And the jury still stands if you can." Itachi replied cruelly, a vicious hatred boling in his heart and Katsumi balked. 

"Excuse me?" She stammered and Itachi took a step forward, satisfied as she moved back. 

"You had trouble with your last pregnancy or have you forgotten?" Itachi’s eyes moved from her eyes down to her stomach. “Funny how something like stress can make all the difference, and you are nothing but a bundle of stress and vanity rolled into one sad human. In all honesty I pity you." Itachi informed her and Katsumi stared at him.

"Pity me?"

"You only really pursued Shisui because of obligations to your clan and fear for your future and in the end you were able to wear him down enough to get what your clan–apologies, you wanted. Now what do you have to show for it? A weak husband that doesn’t respect you and a clan that will continue to use you and your future child that will undoubtedly end up a shinobi despite your wishes."

"My child will not-" Katsumi began but Itachi chuckled, tilting his head. 

"That's the problem, Katsumi. That's not your choice anymore. You’ve married into the most coveted clan of shinobi and now you’re stuck. Enjoy your husband and your perceived victory. I'm sure it will be worth it." Without another word he turned and walked away.

 




A week went by and still Shisui seemed to keep that distance between them. Katsumi did not dare bring up Itachi, not wanting to further aggravate Shisui who seemed to be miserable as it was. It didn’t make much sense. Katsumi thought he would be happy when he was back with her. They were soulmates and Itachi was a placeholder, a pretty one, but a placeholder nonetheless. Yet, he seemed almost cold . She would reach for him at night as she used to and he would roll away, muttering that he was tired. She would kiss his shoulder and press her breasts to his back and he would feign sleep. 

Shisui used to always want her. Now he couldn’t seem to stand the sight of her. This wasn’t what she wanted. She thought he would understand it would be best for everyone involved, but now it was as if she was a chore to him. He didn’t kiss her, didn’t hold her at night like he used to. Ino avoided her, Inoichi was visibly disappointed and even Katsumi’s friends seemed to be tired of her, and for once that realization that she was alone in this truly hit her. She didn’t want to think of Sasuke’s barbed words or the sweet poison Itachi had whispered to her. They were wrong. Itachi lost and he was lashing out and Sasuke was defending his brother. They were both wrong .

Katsumi had been preparing to help with dinner when it happened. Shisui was at the kitchen counter, slicing up radishes and heard her intake of breath. “Katsumi?” Shisui turned to face her and she stood in the middle of the kitchen, looking down at herself. 

“I think my water broke.” She mumbled absently without looking up.

Shisui set down the knife. “You think?” He parroted and Katsumi shrugged, a dazed look on her face.

“I don’t know, it’s never happened before.”

Fair enough.

 She was suddenly at a loss, standing in the middle of the kitchen with no clue what she was supposed to do now. Shisui approached, reaching out a gentle hand to support her. “First thing’s first. Let’s get to the hospital.” Shisui smiled at her and for the first time in a while, it looked genuine.

Chapter 48: Breathe

Notes:

Was gonna wait until Tuesday to post this but I have no control.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It was getting late and still nothing had happened. Her water had indeed broken but Katsumi still hadn’t gone into labor. They had been in the hospital for over a day now, Shisui sleeping in a cramped chair at Katsumi’s side while Katsumi tossed and turned on the bed.. Tsunade was at the point where she was suggesting that Katsumi be induced and Katsumi was absolutely miserable. Her feet were swollen and sore and the baby was situated right over her bladder. 

 Well-wishers sent flowers ahead and Katsumi had taken the time to explain each flower to Shisui, telling him that the flowers had languages. She had worked in the flower shop for a time and even now still seemed fond of the memories. There were flowers and cards all over the hospital room, well wishers reaching out to the happy couple about their impending bundle of joy. Shisui had listened politely, asking questions about flower etiquette and such. 

There were pink azaleas from Ino, jasmine from one of the Uchiha families, several different assortments of pink roses as well as daisies. Katsumi moved one of the bouquets aside, the flowers having not bloomed yet and admired the roses. Nothing from Itachi and nothing from either of the head houses. Shisui hadn’t expected anything, but it only highlighted how alone he really was now.

“We may be able to plant some of these ourselves come spring,” She murmured, lightly stroking one of the petals. “I think the area right off the engawa would be perfect with the right lighting.” Shisui nodded absently, shifting in his chair in an attempt to get comfortable. He listened as she continued with her ideas, nodding when necessary. If Katsumi noticed his lack of interest then she didn’t mention it. They both looked up as a medic peeked his head in.

“Lady Tsunade says it’s time.” He informed them. So, she was going to have to be induced. They had hoped it would happen naturally. 

Katsumi sighed, head flopping back against the pillow as Shisui watched her. “Well, guess we can’t wait forever.” She shot Shisui a little smile, hopeful and cautious all at once and Shisui reached over to link his fingers with hers and pulled her hand in for a kiss. 

 




He had to be here somewhere, she just knew it. Ino knew Sasuke hadn’t taken a mission out of the village, but she couldn’t figure out where he had gone. Sai was content to accompany her as she searched and she had already spoken to Karin and Hinata but they also hadn’t seen Sasuke. She trudged through the snow, Sai at her heels as they moved down towards the outskirts of the village. Katsumi was at the hospital and Ino needed to see her at some point, but this was important. She had sent flowers ahead and after she was done she could go and see her, but first she needed to speak to Sasuke. 

“There they are.” Sai spoke up and Ino followed his gaze, spotting the former Team 7 walking around the corner, Naruto holding what looked like a to go box of food that he and Sakura were sharing.

“I really ought to start taking you out with me more,” She smiled at Sai who only blinked at her in confusion.

“Are we not out now?” He asked, looking around.

“Yes, but… nevermind! Come on…Sasuke!” Ino called out, running ahead to catch up with him, as Sai followed at a leisurely pace.  Sasuke ignored her and kept walking. Sakura and Naruto turned, both looking concerned. “Sasuke, wait!”

 “What do you want?” He muttered without looking at her. “Shouldn’t you be feeding your cousin ice chips or something?”

Wow. Rude okay. 

“I wanted to apologize,” Ino came to stand behind him, nervously scratching the back of her leg with her other foot. “What Katsumi did was really messed up, and I’m sorry your brother had to suffer for it.” She had hoped that Katsumi wouldn’t have continued to push the issue and just let Shisui go, but it seemed that she hadn’t. 

“I thought you hero worshipped your cousin.” Sasuke spat out, turning to face her. “I thought she could do no wrong!” Sai watched him with narrowed eyes, as if ready to pounce Sasuke if he threatened Ino.

“Sasuke…” Sakura began in that warning tone of hers.

“I love my cousin.” Ino replied, and Sasuke watched as she peered around the area as if searching for someone. Her eyes returned to Sasuke. “But that doesn’t mean I have to blindly accept when she’s in the wrong…and maybe you should look into things more closely.” Her voice had dropped to a whisper. 

“What do you mean?” He asked in confusion, Sakura and Naruto moving closer in curiosity. 

“Think about it. Why would Shisui suddenly change his mind and leave Itachi after announcing to the clans that he wouldn’t? It just seems out of character of him after all that he went through to even win your brother back in the first place.”

“Well Katsumi and him still share names, maybe it’s some cosmic pull outside their control.” Sakura suggested and Sasuke snorted. Leave it to Sakura to be a blind romantic. 

“But why would he say he wouldn’t leave Itachi one day then fold the next?”

“Because he’s spineless?” Naruto piped up, earning an elbow to the ribs from Sakura and Ino blinked. 

“Well maybe–but what if he didn’t have a choice?” All eyes turned to her but she didn’t look away from Sasuke. “Just think about it, okay?” She glanced down the road, pale eyes narrowed thoughtfully for a moment.

 




Katsumi groaned, head falling back against the pillow, her eyebrows puckered up in visible discomfort. “Another push, Katsumi. Come on.” Tsunade instructed. They had finally induced her but the labor was quickly going south. She grunted, face tensing as she pushed, holding onto Shisui’s hand like a lifeline. Spittle escaped her lips as she pushed, face red. Shisui whispered encouragement into her ear, eyes fixed on Tsunade. “Good, good Katsumi, we can see the head.” Tsunade urged her gently and Shisui pressed his lips against the side of her head.

“You’re doing great,” He whispered. “Katsumi, you’re doing amazing.” A guttural cry escaped her and her lips peeled back in a grimace. For once, she didn’t seem to find his encouragement patronizing, instead seeming to find comfort in his whispered support.

“Fucking shit, I am not doing this again!” She muttered and Shisui’s lips twitched into a little smile. He could hardly blame her for that, one kid already seemed hard enough to get out. Sweat was beaded at her forehead and her hair was stuck against her face. Shisui wanted to cool her down or something, but he didn’t dare release her hand, even as her nails dug deeper and deeper into his skin.

“Come on Katsumi, I’m gonna need you to push again!” Tsunade instructed and a pained whimper escaped Katsumi’s dry lips, her head pressing flat against the pillow. “Katsumi!”

“I can’t-” She mumbled even as she pushed herself back up, “You hate me, you hate me…” Katsumi shook her head back and forth, voice hitching. 

“I don’t hate you!” Shisui stared at his wife in confusion, wondering where that had come from and she wailed, pitching forward, Tsunade offering encouragement as she pushed again. Shisui held his breath, holding onto Katsumi as she strained, and then she released a heavy relieved sigh and there was a chorus of excited noises from the medics, but one sound was missing and the room fell quiet.

There was no sound. No movement. There should have been crying. Why wasn’t the baby crying? Shisui stared, numb as he watched Tsunade and the medics surround the child, green illuminating from their palms. 

“Wha…what’s happening?” He heard Katsumi whisper and he grasped her hand, pressing his lips to her knuckles. 

“It’s okay,” he whispered against her skin. “It’s going to be okay, the baby is going to be okay.” He watched with bated breath as they worked, the baby’s tiny body hidden from his sight. 

All at once the baby began to cry, and it was the most beautiful sound Shisui had ever heard.  He breathed out in relief, a shaky teary laugh escaping him as he watched the medics wash the baby, peeking over their shoulder and grinning. His son . His tiny little face was red and wrinkled into a look of complete objection, little noises escaping him as they wiped his face clean. The nurse handed Shisui his son and Shisui stared into his little face, heart swelling in a way he never thought possible. 

“A boy, Katsumi, we have a son .” He knelt down to show her the baby and she blinked, hair sticking to her sweat stained face. 

“A boy…” Katsumi mused with a satisfied little grin. They looked at the baby in comfortable silence for a moment.

“He’ll need a name.” Shisui looked over to Katsumi, holding him up so she could take him. She didn’t reach out, seeming more interested in simply staring at him. She reached out, the back of her fingers gently stroking the top of his head.

“Masaru…” Katsumi whispered, fingers lightly brushing the baby’s brow. “Uchiha Masaru.” It was perfect, he was perfect. The baby was crying in his arms, alive and whole and Shisui’s heart felt complete. 

“He’s beautiful. Guess that comes with having two hot parents.” He whispered and Katsumi chuckled before falling quiet for a moment, watching her son with a sad little smile. 

"You never wanted me back did you?" Katsumi whispered softly and Shisui didn’t look at her, looking down at their baby instead. 

"It doesn't matter now. I'm here and I'm staying." He wasn’t going to abandon her. He couldn’t. He was a father now, he had responsibilities that he had to step up for. 

Katsumi smiled weakly. "A kind gesture, I wish I could deserve it.”

“It’s in the past.” Shisui offered her a tight smile. “We can move on from it.”

Katsumi released a humorless laugh. “You were scared of being alone and I was scared of being unwanted. Now look at us." She stared past his shoulder. “I thought I could make it work…convince him to stick around…stupid, huh? Like he’d ever let himself be…I was selfish and arrogant.”

Shisui didn’t know what she was rambling about, and as much as he wanted to press the issue, now didn’t feel like the right time.

Katsumi sighed again, her eyes red and puffy. "I wish you loved me half as much as you love him." She spoke so sadly and softly, like afraid someone would overhear them. 

"I do love you Katsumi." Shisui looked up from their son and Katsumi smiled at this, but it only looked defeated. 

"Not like you love…love him. You don't look at me the way you looked at him. Even in the beginning…you were always my soulmate, but he was always yours…."

Shisui didn’t know what to say to this, blinking and looking back at Masaru, gently running his fingers down his cheek. The baby coughed weakly, a wheezing noise whistling from his tiny lungs and the head nurse stepped forward, taking Masaru into her arms. “I don’t like the sound of his lungs…we have to take him back to intensive care.”

“What’s wrong with him? Is he going to be okay?” Shisui watched in a daze as they took Masaru away from him and wheeled him out. Tsunade approached him.

“Some newborns have excess water in their lungs, we’ll make sure he’s all cleared. Don’t you worry about a thing, okay?” She looked from Shisui to Katsumi who was staring past her as if in a daze.

"I wish I could have...been the one you wanted..."

She exhaled again and then went quiet. “Kat?” Shisui frowned and reached out to gently touch her. “Kat?” Katsumi did not respond, her eyes closed and her expression almost peaceful.

 Her heart monitor flatlined and for the rest of his life, Shisui would be haunted by that sound. There was a bustle of movement around him and he was pushed aside as the medics swarmed Katsumi, calling out orders as they attempted to revive her. It was like everything around him was moving in slow motion and all Shisui could see was his wife’s face. Her body jerked, and the steady beep continued with no change. She jerked again and Tsunade was calling out something, sounding frantic. How could this happen? She had just been talking a moment ago? She had been talking about flowers only an hour or so before.

Katsumi’s body jerked for a third time and was still once more. Shisui stepped back, the steady beep driving into his skull. It kept on, a steady angry noise that seemed to invade all of his senses and the medics finally stopped moving. Why had they stopped moving? Tsunade sighed, bead bowing forward as she gripped the edge of the bed. 

“Time of death?” She finally spoke up and Shisui could not look away from his wife, could not hear the responding time.

His eyes traveled to the flowers on the counter, noticing that the mystery flowers had finally bloomed and Shisui stared at them, the world around him going numb and gray. It was all empty, like life was bleeding out of him and nothing else mattered.

The red spider lilies stared back at Shisui.


"I wish I could have...been the one you wanted..."

 

 


 

Ten Days Earlier




Shisui was home and he was packing. It was all too much. The clans making their demands and Katsumi kissing him and trying to convince him to come back. It was too much. Shisui would go spend a few nights with Itachi and he’d figure out what to do from there. His threat to leave the clan was only made in half confidence. Shisui loved the clan and the idea of having to leave them behind made him sick to his stomach, but if that was what it took to ensure a better future then so be it.

He had just throw his backpack onto the counter when he felt a prickle at the back of his neck.

“Umi-san.” Shisui greeted as politely as possible, but the hints of impatience seeped into his tone. “May I ask why you are here?” Why was she in his house?

She hobbled into the room, even older than Auntie and she seemed to be driven by spite alone. “I came to speak to you about the earlier…misunderstanding at the meeting.” She looked around the kitchen, nose pinching in distaste.

“What part was misunderstood? Me sticking by Itachi or me saying that I was done talking about it?” He was never usually so blunt with an elder, but he wanted this to be over. Umi tutted, liver spotted hands resting on her cane.

“Terrible business it is, pleasing everyone around you. You can never please everyone.” She muttered. “But I know you will do the right thing in the end.” She nodded at him condescendingly and Shisui was tempted to wring her saggy turkey neck.

“The right thing is to end this. Now, if you please I don’t have time to stand around and chat.” He swiped his half packed bag off the counter and walked around Umi to usher her out the door, grabbing the handle."I have a fiance to see, he's a very busy man and I hate to leave him waiting." See her out, change the locks and eat his fiancé's ass like it was a gourmet meal. That would show her.

"Does your clan know that Itachi Uchiha was a double agent working directly for Danzo Shimura?" Umi asked conversationally and Shisui went very still, hoping against all odds that he had heard her wrong. There was no way she could know about that, no way she could have found out.

"What?" His voice was barely a whisper and he took his hand off the handle. Umi approached him, her cane tapping against the floor.

"You think I don't know you, Shisui? I know all about you and Itachi and the schemes you hatched. How exactly you managed to reach such a peaceful conclusion when all hope was lost. How exactly did you change Fugaku’s mind? How exactly did Danzo die? Convenient is it not that he dies before any of his plans can be put in motion? Itachi Uchiha ensured it. Just as you ensured that Fugaku would make a call for peace."

It was supposed to die with them.

Itachi had returned to him covered in blood and they had made a promise. They had been so careful to never speak of it, to move on. Hiruzen knew the truth and only Hiruzen. Now, Umi knew. Itachi had only recently bridged that divide with his father and if Fugaku found out what Shisui had done and that his own son had allowed it-

“What do you want?” His voice sounded dead in his own ears, knowing what exactly she would demand of him and he could practically feel the satisfaction radiating off her. 

"You will call off your engagement to Itachi and return to Katsumi. You will bring her back to your home and it will be as if you never had that unfortunate misunderstanding in Suna. In time, I have no doubt you will reform your bond with her. You two are soulmates and it is high time you started to act like it.” There was always a bigger fish; Shisui had thought Katsumi was the lone shark in all this, but it seemed she had a teacher. 

“I could go to Inoichi about this-” Shisui began, already knowing there would be no point.

“And I can inform Fugaku all about your little gamble to stop the coup. I daresay you may not survive it and Itachi…killing an esteemed elder in cold blood and betraying his own clan–I can’t imagine the shame. I daresay the clan might have some….opinions.” They had done what was necessary. Danzo’s death had been covered up by Hiruzen, Fugaku’s sudden change of heart was chalked up to finding his humanity. If anyone found out the truth–

“I’m happy with Itachi. I love him.” He was going to marry Itachi, they were going to build a life together and a better future for Shisui’s child, their child. Umi smiled thinly and in that smile Shisui could see something bubbling under the surface, a rage of sorts. 

“Then you will proceed with my instructions and spare him what would come if you refuse.” Why would she even care this much? Why would she push Katsumi to win Shisui back when Katsumi had been content with her independence?

“But…we’re  happy together…I don’t want-” Shisui was at a loss for words, his stomach churning.

"You don't really have a choice anymore." Umi informed him delicately, hands folded in front of her. "Katsumi has no knowledge that I am here and you will never tell her." She studied him for a moment longer before heading back towards the door Shisui staring after her. 

She reached the entryway and stopped. "You have two days. I trust that you will make the right decision, Shisui." She walked out the door, her cane clacking along the way and Shisui stared long after she had left, until all feeling had left his legs.

Notes:

So Katsumi’s dead, as was planned early on. RIP girl, you were a ride. We also get a look at what happened between Shisui leaving the meeting and leaving Itachi.

Chapter 49: Skin Deep

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Nine Days Earlier 

 

The life of a shinobi was often filled with violence and death. Shisui was no stranger to either, he had lived it for so long. It had practically become a second skin, so it made what he decided to do next all the easier. Itachi’s safety was threatened and Shisui could hardly let that stand. Umi was an old woman and old women died everyday. He needed Itachi to be safe and if that meant taking out a threat, then so be it. Breaking into the little unassuming house had been easy. Shisui snuck into the bedroom where Umi slept, sharingan activating in the dark. He would make it quick, painless. It would be as if she had passed in her sleep.

“Oh Shisui, I had hoped we could have done this amicably.” Umi’s voice spoke up and before Shisui could react, the light on the nightstand turned on. Umi was seated in her bed, watching him. She had been expecting this, knowing that he might try to kill her to ensure her silence. She might be an old woman but she had been a talented shinobi in her day, although she knew against Shisui she was outclassed, so she had to outwit him.  

“It’s nothing personal, I assure you.” Shisui informed her genially and Umi smiled from her place on the bed, looking completely unbothered at the sight of him. She was very at ease for a woman about to die. That should have been Shiusi’s first clue.

“There’s no need to lie to me. You wouldn’t be breaking into an old woman’s bedroom if it wasn’t personal.” She quipped. “You’re here to ensure that my information dies with me.” She did not look concerned, relaxed against the pillow with her wispy hair pulled into a braid. 

“Yes.” Shisui saw no reason to lie and Umi tutted, leaning forward, her gnarled hands resting on her lap. 

“You are an arrogant boy, aren’t you? I see it’s a family trait. Danzo once complained to me about it, going on and on about the Uchiha’s pride, one could assume he was a bit obsessed with your lot.” She was watching him, as if waiting for him to catch on to something and Shisui stared at her. She knew Danzo enough to have spoken with him. Something sinister crawled up his back, the hairs on his neck to stand on end. 

It all suddenly made sense.

“Danzo Shimura was your soulmate.” He croaked and Umi sat back, looking satisfied that he had guessed it. He had never considered that Danzo would be capable of having a soulmate but it made sense. Why Umi had suddenly popped up while lingering in the background for so long. Was this revenge? She seemed a little old, even for someone like Danzo but it made perfect sense. 

“I can assure you it was not a love match on either side. I was over a decade Danzo’s senior and I do believe he would have preferred not having a name at all. It was something he hid well, acting if he had no mark. He was much more dedicated to his work than to anything else. He only had eyes for one person and it was not me.” Something in the back of Shisui’s head told him who exactly had Danzo’s attention and it curdled his stomach. “He made it clear that I was not to tell anyone about it and in return he'd offer a fair share of hush money. We never spoke about it again and I married a man who treated me well, and I was content. This is not a case of me avenging my dearly departed soulmate.”

“Then why threaten me with this?” Shisui demanded. “You hold no love for him, then why threaten us with going public?”

“Because I can see myself in Katsumi and I will not allow it. I may have not had any interest in being Shimura's simpering bride, but the indignity of being told by that man I was unworthy? It would not stand. Do you think I would allow my granddaughter to experience the same disregard that I did? Having her own soulmate flaunt his preference for another, and another Uchiha at that! No, my granddaughter will not suffer the indignities that I did. This has nothing to do with avenging Danzo, it has to do with assuring Katsumi will never be tossed aside in favor of some Uchiha brat.”

Shisui’s mouth went dry as he desperately tried to piece everything together. She and Danzo were not married or lovers, but that did not explain how she had discovered Shisui and Itachi’s schemes.  "How did you even find out–" Umi waved him off, looking annoyed. 

"I am a Yamanaka, Shisui, and I can dive into the darkest recesses of people's minds and rip out whatever information I need. Inoichi wishes to keep things humane and clean but I am a realist."  Umi grimaced, as if it left a bitter taste in her mouth to think about. “ If that means picking information from your head and Uchiha Itachi’s head then so be it. Sometimes you have to make difficult decisions to ensure your future.”

“My thoughts exactly.” Shisui replied coolly. Nothing had changed, and he would still make it quick.  “Like I said, it’s nothing personal.” Itachi and their secrets would be safe. Umi could join her degenerate soulmate in death. 

Umi smiled. “Shisui, did you really think you would be walking out of here freely?” Umi tilted her head, pale eyes locked on Shisui. “Or that you will be killing me tonight?” 

An odd tingle ran down Shisui’s arms and legs, as if they had fallen asleep. He attempted to step forward but found that he couldn’t. Umi rose from the bed, a wraith in that flowing white nightgown. He had walked into a trap. He had walked right into her trap. He had been so wrapped up in getting it over with that he hadn’t even stopped to ensure it was safe! Had he not been taught to do the exact opposite of this? He couldn't speak, his thoughts muddled as if drunk. He was so stupid.

He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out, that was until Umi spoke and her words echoed in Shisui’s voice. “Be a dear and go see Itachi,” She waved her hand towards the door and as if being pulled by invisible strings, Shisui began to walk. “I think it’s time you ended your little affair.” Their voices melded together into a vile symphony. 

Yes, that made sense. That was perfectly reasonable. Katsumi was waiting for him, their baby would need both of them together. Only one thing stood in their way and it was time to put it behind him. By the time Shisui had regained his own mind, he could still feel Umi’s veiny fingers clinging to his mind, and he was already in bed with Katsumi, her body curled against him and her baby bump nestled between them. 

 


 

Katsumi was dead. It was a mantra in Shisui’s head and he could not escape it. Dead wife, possibly dead child and he had failed both of them. The world around him seemed to stop. All movement, all voices, all anything were now muted. He watched as a sheet was placed over Katsumi’s body, a medic sending word to prepare to move her and he ignored any effort made to remove him from the room. He couldn’t stop staring at her, the way the sheet draped over her face, and he waited. He wasn’t sure what he was waiting for exactly, for her to move, to begin breathing again, anything.

Tsunade sent the baby ahead, staying with Shisui and giving him a moment to simply watch his wife. What was her family going to say? She had her cousin who was Sasuke’s age and absolutely adored her. This would crush her, and Masaru…he could very well not survive the night and Shisui couldn’t do anything to help. If he did survive he would be bereft of a mother. How could Shisui do all of this on his own? He had never imagined Katsumi wouldn’t survive this. He knew the pregnancy had been taxing, and Tsunade had voiced concerns for her health, but never would he have thought it would claim her life. He hadn’t bothered asking about the lilies, there had been no note attached.

Tsunade stepped forward to coax him from the room. She led him to a private office space, sitting him down. "Is there anyone we can contact for you?" 

"No." There was no one left. He didn’t know when he had been given water, suddenly realizing the little paper cup was in his hands. Tsunade stepped into the hall to speak to someone.

He thought of his father, sick and wasting away after his wife's death. Had her death been his downfall? He could remember those final months as he watched helplessly as his father died. He had sworn to himself that he would protect his loved ones. After his mother and father and after the friend he had failed. He just wanted a whole family, a healthy family after losing so much. Now, he had lost another.

His arm began to tingle unpleasantly. He pulled up his sleeve, watching as his skin began to blister and peel. He stared at it in dazed silence, and Katsumi's name faded away before his eyes. He thought those names never faded. He knew people who had lost their soulmates who retained the name until death. Funny how quick it seemed to happen, as if she were never there. It was painful to touch, like touching ice with bare fingers and looked like her name was going up in flames.

She really was gone then. He couldn’t just pretend she was resting and would walk through those double doors at any moment. His throat ached, but his eyes remained dry. He probably ought to have cried by now but he felt as if every emotion was draining from him. Sadness, rage, hope, all of it. 

Moments later he felt a stinging sensation, like dozens of tiny needles burrowing into the flesh of his shoulder. It did not hurt quite like losing Katsumi’s name, but it was an oddly familiar sting. He stood, staggering to the bathroom across the hall and closing the door. He approached the mirror over the sink and pulled his collar down, staring at the reflection.

Itachi’s name was as clear as day, staining Shisui’s flesh. Shisui could not breathe. 

Had Itachi not made this very prediction to Katsumi a few years ago? What was the point then? If a soulmate could change just like that then what was the point of all this? Why had he been given two? Katsumi was dead and Itachi had replaced her as his soulmate. It was as if Katsumi had meant nothing, just a placeholder in wait for the next. 

Something deep in Shisui snapped, a rubber band yanked one too many times. He couldn’t stay here. He couldn’t– He fled the hospital after they had wheeled his son out of the room, not sure what exactly he was doing. It was late. Auntie was asleep and she was too upset with him to visit. Anko had been ignoring him as had most of his friends. He didn’t know where to go, turning corners and reaching dead ends. 

 

Katsumi was dead.

 

Katsumi was dead.

 

Katsumi was dead.

 

Shisui kept walking, surprised that his legs didn’t buckle beneath him. There was nowhere for him to go. He couldn’t go back to his empty house and see Katsumi’s things, or see that little nursery that would likely remain empty. It was as if he was alone, even in his own home. Nowhere felt right. Then he saw the familiar roof of Itachi’s little loft. 

As luck would have it there was a shift change between ANBU that night and Shisui managed to slip into Itachi’s skylight unnoticed, landing silently on the floor at the foot of Itachi’s bed.  ANBU would not immediately notice, Shisui had been a regular through this very window. Itachi, even asleep, immediately sensed his presence and sat up, hand instantly moving for the weapon he kept closeby before realizing who was in his room.

“Shisui?” Itachi blinked, relaxing slightly. “What are you doing here?” He was pressed to the edge of the bed, obviously not comfortable for Shisui to be in his space. Once upon a time he would have welcomed Shisui here, but that was just another thing Shisui ruined. 

“I have a son,” Shisui croaked. “Masaru.” Itachi did nor respond, simply watching Shisui who looked around the loft, head feeling heavy. “Katsumi’s dead.” Shisui’s voice was monotone, eyes two empty pockets of darkness. “The birth was too much…Tsunade says her body just couldn’t handle it.” Itachi did not move from his place against the wall, as far as he could physically be from Shisui.

Itachi had obviously not been expecting that. "I'm sorry." He sounded sincere but on edge, wanting Shisui to leave. It was as if he sensed something was off. He was weaponless, but tense and ready to pounce. 

"Are you?" Shisui demanded. "You got what you wanted." He had told Katsumi this would happen and he had always enjoyed being right. 

Itachi stared at him. “I never wanted her dead, Shisui. When I mentioned her pregnancy trouble I had never considered-" At this Shisui stepped forward but Itachi did not flinch. 

"When you what! ?" Shisui demanded and Itachi closed his eyes, looking annoyed with himself.

"She confronted me recently and we had a disagreement." As purposely vague as ever. Once, Shisui might have found it endearing, but his wife was dead on a slab of metal and Itachi’s aloofness was too much. 

"A disagreement?" Shisui demanded. "Like when you told her that she was temporary?" Itachi would not rise to his bait.

"You really do love making enemies of nothing.” He said, sounding terribly disappointed. "Your wife felt the need to offer me a boon and I refused her, and told her exactly what I thought of her." This was all news to Shisui. Why was he always the last to know? 

"A boon? What boon ?" Katsumi hadn’t mentioned speaking to Itachi at any point. Itachi's mouth pulled back into a grimace.

"She thought it appropriate to ask me if I would wish to be your third, naturally I made my opinion of her and of you quite known. So forgive me if I lashed out at the woman who wanted me to warm your bed while she remained your wife." That made no sense, Katsumi despised Itachi. She had always thought he was ugly. 

"She would never –" Shisui began but Itachi shook his head, leaning back against his pillow, fixing Shisui with a weary glance. 

"Perhaps you didn't know her as well as you thought you did."  

It was just like him to judge Shisui, to preach and act like he was so much better. Shisui was nothing and he had nothing, and Itachi now had everything. A future, friends and a career that Shisui could never dream to reach. Itachi was sitting here, alive and fine while Katsumi was lying cold and dead on a gurney after Shisui failed her. Now he had nothing, his son could very well be dead by the morning and Shisui had done nothing to protect him, or his wife. He kept on failing the very people he was supposed to protect. 

Suspicion rose in Shisui's chest. "Did you send the flowers?" He asked and Itachi frowned at him. "The lilies?" There was a moment of contemplative silence. 

"I figured it would be expected of me." Itachi replied tactfully. "So I went to the shop and grabbed the first thing I saw. They hadn’t bloomed when I purchased them." He didn't sound concerned, as if giving Katsumi death flowers was appropriate.

"So you were hoping she'd die!" He snapped and Itachi stared at him aghast.

"Shisui, you're being completely unreasonable. I am sorry for your loss, truly but maybe you should leave." He tensed where he sat, shoulders hunching in visible discomfort. He seemed stuck between standing and remaining firmly in place. Was ANBU watching or had they assumed Shisui was here to make up? 

"Red spider lilies are a symbol of death, Itachi! Everyone knows that they're not for births!" Someone as smart as Itachi should know that, even if he didn't know about the language of flowers.

"Yes, because I would spend my free time researching what each flower means." Itachi replied sarcastically. "Me giving you death flowers is what killed your wife. Not her litany of health issues." Shisui's fingers clenched as he breathed out through his teeth. He needed to remain calm, he couldn’t risk losing it. Itachi wasn’t the one he should be angry with, despite what he had said to Katsumi, he hadn’t been the one to kill her. 

"Your name replaced hers." Shisui said quietly and Itachi frowned, obviously perplexed by the subject change. 

"What?"

 Shisui swallowed hard, reaching for his sleeve and yanking his shirt back.  He showed Itachi his shoulder. Itachi’s face tightened at the sight. "I see." He didn’t move. 

Shisui stared hard at him, looking for any type of reaction and finding nothing. His eyes caught sight of the necklace still tucked under Itachi’s shirt. "Guess you got exactly what you wanted then." His voice fell to a whisper and Itachi shook his head. He didn’t look happy or even sad at the sight of his name. 

"No. I didn’t." How dare he sound so tired, he hadn’t just watched his wife die before his eyes or his son choking in his arms. “I think you should leave.”

“I think I should stay.” Shisui countered. He wasn’t done with Itachi yet. 

“I don’t want you here, Shisui.” Itachi’s voice was the calm ocean and Shisui was the fast approaching hurricane. “I told you that you would no longer be welcome in my home.” He had made that threat very clear and hadn’t Shisui tried to fight against Umi’s iron grip on his mind? Hadn’t he tried to turn to Itachi, to explain everything to him? What good would it have done? Katsumi would likely still be dead, his son would still likely be dying and Shisui would still be a failure. 

 

Shisui lunged forward just as Itachi attempted to dive around him and they grapled for a moment, Itachi’s knee painfully shoving into his stomach in an attempt to push him away. Shisui shoved Itachi against the wall, fingers grasping at his throat. It was all for nothing. He had failed everyone. Shisui wrenched Itachi back, pushing him backwards, grasping at the front of his shirt. Itachi stumbled, attempting to regain his footing but unable to as Shisui dragged him across the room. A misbehaving dog that needed to be punished. 

"Shisui!" Before Itachi could react, Shisui had hauled him to the edge of the loft, bodily lifting him up and slamming him down on the beam, shoving Itachi’s arm aside when he attempted to push him back.  

He dangled Itachi over the edge; Itachi reached up, grasping at Shisui’s arm in an attempt to keep Shisui from dropping him. He should have kept ANBU around, shouldn’t have blindly thought he was safe. No one was safe, not new mothers who never had the chance to hold their children, not newborn babies who barely had a chance to live.

" Shisui !" 

 If Shisui dropped him he would likely be able to catch himself, to make sure he landed safely, but in that moment it didn't matter. All that mattered was that it was Shisui dangling him over the open air. For the first time in his life, Itachi feared Shisui. He stared at Shisui, unblinking and frozen and Shisui stared back. There was nothing in his eyes that Itachi recognized as his Shisui. There was no warmth, no kindness, only burning consuming hatred, his eyes that once held such warmth and kindness now appeared almost inhuman. Itachi couldn’t speak, not even to say Shisui’s name. The ground below him shifted out of focus, all Shisui could see was Itachi’s face. His dark eyes, startled and confused, his mouth, half open in a silent shout and his long hair swaying below him. 

Shisui didn’t have to strike him, didn’t have to insult him or spit poison, this action was enough. Slowly, almost reluctantly, Shisui pulled Itachi back over the edge and eased his grip on Itachi’s arm and shirt, allowing him to slump down onto the floor, limbs trembling violently. His back was pressed to the wall, fingers curling against his chest. For a moment they stared at each other, neither speaking. 

Shisui’s hand shot out, grasping onto Itachi’s necklace and wordlessly  tearing it from his throat. A thin bead of crimson appeared on his skin and Itachi stared at Shisui in stricken silence. He said nothing more to Itachi, didn’t offer him an apology or further abuse. It was as if that final act had been enough for Shisui. All the anger, hatred, yearning and love seeped from him in that final act–he felt nothing. A thin trail of blood dribbled down Itachi’s throat, falling across his collarbone. 

He stepped away from Itachi and jumped down to the floor, silent as he landed on the wooden floor, the necklace dangling from his fingers. Shisui left the loft, the door quietly closing behind him, once more and for the final time leaving Itachi behind. 




 

Two Days Later

 

 

The fire crackled and danced in the fireplace, illuminating Shisui’s face in an orange glow. Using a poker, he moved the wood around, watching as sparks floated into the air. The name taunted him, staining his skin and refusing to leave him peace. All Shisui saw when he looked at that name was his failures. His failures for his wife, for his clan and for the name branding his skin. He had failed all of them, and now he had to live with it.

Inoichi had been by to see him, Fugaku as well. They were concerned for him, and Masaru who was still in the hospital. They offered aid, and food was left at his door. Shisui would have appreciated the gesture if he had an appetite. It was all a waste on him, he could barely stomach anything. Plans were being made for Katsumi’s funeral. She would have a civilian funeral and Shisui had no idea what that entailed. 

In all honesty he couldn’t bring himself to care for much of anything at this point. When Yashiro had stopped by to offer his condolences, Shisui had closed the door in his face. It should have felt good to shut the door like that, but Shisui felt nothing, and he wondered if he’d ever feel again. Nothing came from Itachi and Shisui was relieved. Umi’s control over him was long gone, but the damage had been done. Nothing could change that now, and it no longer mattered. He had been careless and selfish and he couldn't afford to be either anymore. Masaru was going to need him now more than ever.

Without any hesitation, Shisui took the poker out from the fire and with some difficulty, placed it against his shoulder, expressionless even as his skin sizzled and bubbled, the stench of burning flesh permeating the air. Itachi's name charred and burned, just as Katsumi’s had. The name was only skin deep, and Shisui would fix that. He would free both of them.

Shisui felt nothing.

 

Down the street, Itachi and Sasuke were returning from training. Itachi had seemed off for the last couple of days and Sasuke didn’t understand why. News of Katsumi’s death had spread and part of Sasuke wondered if he was concerned about Shisui, who had barricaded himself in his house. Ino’s earlier words were still bouncing around in Sasuke’s head, and he had begun to wonder if she had been right. Hsd Shisui not been in control? Had Katsumi or another Yamanaka done something to ensure he returned? Itachi stopped walking and Sasuke turned to him in confusion.

 "Itachi?" Itachi blinked, mouth opening and closing and his eyebrows pinching together into a pained expression. "Itachi!"

Itachi pulled his shirt up, looking down at his hip. There on his skin, he and Sasuke watched as Shisui's name blackened and burned, the skin rising and peeling away. It was obvious that Itachi was in pain, his breath quickening and his eyebrows furrowing, but he remained silent.

Neither spoke. It was burning, the mark was burning away, Shisui’s name peeling and flaking and the scent of burning flesh filling the air. Sasuke stood helpless as Itachi watched the name burn away. After a moment the burning ceased, leaving just a smoldering mass behind. It had to be painful, it hurt just to look at.

"That's it then," Itachi whispered. "It's over." His voice was blank, no emotion, either relief or pain, just acceptance. He didn’t look all that surprised, as if it was normal for someone’s skin to combust. Was this normal? Was Juugo’s name suddenly going to go up in flames? Or was this due to Katsumi’s death? 

"What’s over?" Sasuke reached out, fingertips gently touching the skin above the burn, almost afraid he would hurt him. “Nii-san?” He didn’t understand why or how this had happened, but his brother was in pain and that was reason enough for Sasuke to be on edge. Something had caused this and he wanted to know what. 

“His name was only skin deep, I suppose I should not have expected it to mean anything or last.” Itachi mumbled and took a small, shaky breath. “We should keep going,” Itachi’s voice was suddenly monotone. “I have paperwork I need to go over.” It was as if he didn’t even feel his skin burning. Was he in shock? Did Sasuke need to help him?

"We need to go to the hospital. It’s going to scar." Sasuke reached for Itachi’s arm, fingers curling around him. Itachi blinked, looking exhausted and gently pulled away, movements sluggish. 

“I think I’d like to go home now,” He began to walk ahead, Sasuke staring after him. He made a lonely figure as he walked. Sasuke didn’t understand at first, why had Shisui’s name burned away? 

“Itachi?” He breathed, a shiver running down his spine as he watched him. Could this kill him? Would losing Shisui’s name kill him? “Itachi!”

Itachi kept walking.

 

Notes:

The confrontation scene between Shisui and Itachi was one one of the first parts I wrote. One chapter left!

Chapter 50: Itachi

Notes:

Here we are, the final chapter. Thank you to everyone who supported this dramatic ass story!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Seven Months Later



"You can’t just abandon the clan." Inabi’s voice was incredulous, seeming to bounce off the walls of the old Uchiha shrine. Outside, sunlight peeked in through the windows and birds chirped. Summer had finally arrived. It feels like it was just yesterday that Shisui was returning to the village, yet in the same vein it felt like centuries had passed. 

"There is no reason for me to stay.” Shisui responded dryly and Tekka made a disgruntled noise from where he sat, another cousin tsking in disappointment. The clan had already bled him dry and still expected him to turn over for them.

“So, you think you can just up and leave the clan and your duties? Have you no shame at all?” One of the cousins ranted but Shisui didn’t spare them a glance, making himself comfortable, in a clear display of disrespect. 

“You already got what you wanted. I ended things with Itachi to appease you, and returned to Katsumi. Now she’s dead, which I’m sure you are all completely crushed about.” They had gone to the funeral, acting as if they knew her personally. Itachi had not been present, but as heir Sasuke had been forced to attend front and center.

“Shisui, you do not-” Tekka started to speak, visibly uncomfortable by the cold look Sasuke shot at him.

 You won’t have my son.” Shisui cut him off. “Or me anymore. Masaru will not be used like I was. He will be free to forge his own path, civilian or shinobi.” 

He had expected it to be harder to leave the clan, but this was the easiest decision he could possibly make. Katsumi had wanted a better future for her child and this was what Shisui could offer; a choice he had never been granted. He had every intention of ending his life when he burnt the mark on his arm, planned to not wake up the next morning, but Tsunade came to his door that very night, she seemed to have a sense for nonsense and was quick to smack him straight. His son was alive, and would continue to live and Shisui would never abandon him. He was in therapy, and while he wasn't going to be magically cured of everything, he was getting better. One step at a time.

He could confess everything, tell Itachi that Umi knew about the Kotoamatsukami and about Danzo’s death, that he had panicked and in panicking had been sloppy and got caught. How he had come back to himself with Katsumi in his arms and he had felt too defeated to stop it, that he never stopped thinking about Itachi. It didn’t matter anymore. He lost that right after he dared to lay hands on Itachi. It didn't matter his mental state at the time. Nothing mattered other than he could never look at Itachi without seeing Katsumi as she died in that hospital or see Itachi dangling over that beam and looking at him with those eyes . Shisui had done that, not some jutsu or other power. It was all Shisui.

He couldn’t forgive himself for that or for how even now, he couldn’t bring himself to apologize to Itachi. Something in him had changed that night, broken irrevocably. Shisui didn’t think it could ever be fixed.  He didn't want to hate Itachi, he knew he didn't deserve it but Shisui was unable to stop those dark thoughts from festering. That night had permanently shifted something between them.

Itachi never should have shown him his mark, it would have saved him a lot of heartache in the long run; or he should have shown it sooner, before Katsumi. Shisui would have chosen him, he would never have considered Katsumi if it had been Itachi who came to him first. Itachi had been and would always be his soulmate and Katsumi would have been safe. Her pride might have been a bit wounded, but she would still be alive, doing whatever it is that she did and Shisui would have been happy to follow Itachi wherever he led. Now, he wasn’t worthy of any of it; Katsumi or Itachi. Now Katsumi was gone and he had broken Itachi’s heart; again. 

“You have obligations to the village.” Yashiro snapped. Fugaku stared at Shisui in grim silence and Sasuke ignored him completely, eyes fixed pointedly on the wall. He likely would never willingly speak to Shisui again. 

There were many things Shisui was forced to accept. Katsumi was dead and Shisui would always have to carry that guilt. The days following had been nothing but a painful blur. One thing stood clear however. Where he went after leaving Itachi. He had told Umi it wasn’t personal, but that was a lie. She didn’t think he’d come for her a second time. She never knew he was there and she exhaled for the final time. She was an old woman and being able to die in one's sleep at such an age was a gift not many were granted, and with her death, Itachi could never be threatened again. 

“I have obligations to my son as his only surviving parent. The Godaime has already granted me permission to retire.” Shisui looked exhausted, but better than he had in the last few months. He had finally shaved and cut his hair and the scent of cigarette smoke was nearly gone. He didn’t smoke or drink around the baby, but sometimes when he was by himself, he would lose himself a bit more.

“You went to Itachi ?” Yashiro balked, as if it were a deep offense that he had involved Itachi in this. Sasuke shot Yashiro a disgruntled glance that mirrored his father and Shisui sat up straighter. Itachi had allowed him to retire with grace and dignity. He was unimpressed that Yashiro would talk about Itachi so casually, as if he had any right to. They likely were still bitter that Itachi hadn’t given them any special privileges when he took the mantle, that he kept things fair, allowing the clan privileges that other clans were given, but not allowing them to reach further. 

“I went to the Hokage .” Shisui emphasized. His son would be okay, Shisui would make sure of it. “And I am leaving.”

 


 

 

“You’re back.” Ino Yamanaka was seated on the floor with Masaru on her lap, playing with a building block. She looked up as Shisui entered the room and smiled, her hair pulled into a messy braid that looked like Masaru had been tugging on.

“Hey, sorry I’m late.” Shisui greeted, kneeling down as Masaru turned to look at him. His body was perfect. He had Shisui’s dark hair and nose, but Katsumi’s eyes stared back at him, and that smile was all his own. Ino had been helping him since Katsumi died. She was there to help with the baby, ensuring Shisui didn’t fall into a pit of depression and negligence. He didn’t deserve her support, yet she gave it freely. 

“No worries, Masaru and I were just enjoying the day.”Masaru gurgled, mouth curving into a spit slicked grin and he reached out for Shisui, a laugh escaping him. Shisui scooped his boy up, pressing a kiss against his temple. Ino watched the interaction with a little smile of her own. “Are you going to the festival tonight?” She asked, getting to her feet and stretching.

“Yeah, I think Masaru will get a kick out of the firework display.” Auntie had offered to watch him but Shisui thought he might enjoy the lights.

“Oh I bet he will!” Ino reached forward to tickle Masaru’s face and he waved his chubby little arms in excitement. He loved Ino, absolutely adored her. She offered to babysit often when Shisui was busy with a mission or errands. Sometimes she would have Sai with her, or bring a few friends. Karin and Sakura seemed to make it a competition on who could spoil the baby more, but Masaru only ever had eyes for Ino. 

“Guess I’ll see you there.” Ino smiled at him, and as usual there was sadness there. He wondered if she thought about Katsumi often, if she saw her in Masaru's eyes.

"Yeah", Shisui nodded with a small smile. "See you there."

"You know…" Ino hesitated at the door, turning back to look at him. "It might not be a terrible idea to go out, you know…hang with friends…go on a date." Thus was hardly the first time she had made the suggestion.

"See you later, Ino." Shisui responded and Ino sighed long suffering and tapped the doorway on her way out.

She meant well. She always did. Shisui definitely didn’t get out much anymore. The firework display was the first event Shisui would be going to, and he was only going for Masaru.

He carried Masaru into the kitchen, opening the fridge and swiping up a bottle as Masaru made spit bubbles at him. Masaru had a check up next week with the medic and Shisui needed to go out and start looking into getting him bigger clothes now that he was outgrowing his current ones. It felt like he had just replaced them, but Masaru was quickly growing, no longer a little infant.  

The Godaime allowed him to retire without having to leave the compound for a new home, sensing it would have been a huge burden to search while having a child in his immediate care. Fugaku and Mikoto allowed him to remain, but since he was no longer an active shinobi or active in the clan it meant he was no longer privy to their meetings, which suited him just fine. The meeting itself had been very professional. Itachi used honorifics, and treated Shisui politely but with a clear distance. Something he usually reserved for those he did not particularly like. It seemed fitting that Shisui now be counted among their numbers. 

 

“You are certain in your decision, Uchiha-san?” Itachi asked as he looked over Shisui’s request. Shisui was practically squirming as he watched him. Itachi meanwhile appeared completely relaxed, if not a bit stiff around the shoulders. 

“Hai, Hokage-sama. It is the best course of action for my son.” Masaru was going to need Shisui. He was all he had left. Masaru was all Shisui had left. Itachi was not dressed in his formal wear, wearing a cream colored yukata and dark blue pants. The hat was placed on one of the shelves, only brought out for formal occasions or official business, it was clear that this was very much a casual affair. 

Itachi nodded, signing his consent on the form. “Very well, you may alert the clan about your decision. I will ensure this gets routed to the necessary offices.” The hospital was going to want a copy, as would Shisui’s old unit. He nodded wordlessly, watching as Itachi placed the paperwork aside. The office was clean and sparsely decorated. There was a dango package with gift wrapping on the desk, and Shisui wondered who had brought it. He really should have brought a fruit basket with him.

Sasuke’s picture was framed on the desk, glowering at the camera in visible discontent, but undoubtedly Itachi adored it. Itachi never treated him poorly, never singled him out or made it clear that they had once shared such an intense history. Instead he was cordial, treating Itachi as he would any villager that came before him. There was no cruelty in his eyes, but something a little guarded. Shisui was barely more than a stranger to him now. He never asked about Masaru, never allowed himself to get too comfortable. He only held the mantle for a month at this point, but it suited him like a well fitting glove. Hiruzen had made the right decision in choosing Itachi as his successor. 

Shisui bowed low. “Thank you for your time and consideration, Hokage-sama.” He always had to watch himself the few times he did speak to Itachi. He was careful to not say his name, or act anything other than respectful. They would never be friends again, never be lovers but Shisui would be damned before he gave Itachi anything other than his utmost respect.

Itachi nodded at this, rising from his desk and setting the pen aside. “Enjoy your retirement. You’ve earned it.” Shisui bowed again, even lower this time, wishing he could simply sink into the floor and disappear. Masaru waited for him at home, and that was enough to get Shisui back through the door, and prepared to tell the clan that he had finally had enough. 

"Goodbye, Shisui." Itachi murmured long after the door had closed, returning to his duties.

 

The front door opened again and Shisui turned, expecting to see Ino but instead seeing Sasuke staring back at him. “Hey,” Shisui greeted, after he had found his voice, awkwardly clearing his throat. He hadn’t expected to see Sasuke in his home ever again, at least willingly. 

“You didn’t tell Itachi that you were forced to go back to Katsumi.” Sasuke said without preamble and Shisui’s mouth fell open. They stared at each other for a long moment, Masaru chirping in Shisui’s ear. 

“What?” He shifted Masaru into his other arm, uncomfortable with the way Sasuke was watching him.

“Umi, that old bitch with the vagina neck. She used that Yamanaka control on you.” Sasuke explained, arms crossing over his chest.

Okay, so that was one visual Shisui could have gone the rest of his life without. “How do you know about that?” He hadn’t ever told anyone, another secret he had meant to die with. Another secret that he seemed to fail to keep.

“Ino approached me a while ago. At the time I didn’t want to hear it. Sounded like excuses to me. She made some good points in your favor and I did some digging. I don't know what the old bitch’s deal was, but I guess she was a pretty good interrogator back when she was young.  It wasn’t hard to figure out what exactly had happened.” So, Ino knew as well. Did she suspect that Shisui had killed Umi as well?

"Don't tell Itachi." He quickly responded and Sasuke stared at him.

"Shisui, you can fix this. You just have to tell him-" Sasuke began but Shisui shook his head, adjusting Masaru as the baby began to fuss, obviously hungry. Shisui walked around the table, grabbing up a drip cloth and trying to keep as calm as possible. 

Shisui offered the bottle to Masaru who snatched it in a chubby hand, blue eyes fixing on his father as he began to gulp the formula down. "I can't. Not after all that I've done. Even if I wanted to.” 

Sasuke didn’t know. Sasuke didn’t know what Shisui had done that night, how he had dangled Itachi over open air, prepared to watch him fall, or how he had torn the necklace from his throat and left him a shaken mess on the floor. If Sasuke did know they would not be having this discussion right now. 

Masaru blew a spit bubble, cackling in delight, formula staining his chin. Shisui took the cloth he had been holding and cleaned up his dribbling chin.

"You can go to Itachi. You can tell him what happened. He’ll understand.” Itachi would. That was the problem. Even after what Shisui had done to him, he was too kind to hate Shisui as he should. Shisui had to let him go, for both their sakes.

"No…it's too late for all of that."

“But you still love him-” Sasuke began and a lump formed in Shisui’s throat. The necklace he had crudely ripped from Itachi now hung around his neck, the only piece of Itachi he could bring himself to keep. 

“That’s the thing…I don’t think I do anymore, I don’t think I can.” A lie. Mostly. He had burnt Itachi’s name away in a state of mania, but he didn’t regret it. Soulmates had been nothing but trouble from day one. He knew that he could never look at Itachi the way he had before. All he would see was Katsumi and those flowers . The kindest thing he could do now would be to let Itachi go free. No excuses, no pleading. He had to end it once and for all. 

“You’re a coward.” Sasuke shook his head, visibly disappointed in him. He had likely hoped that Shisui would swoop in with apologies and Itachi would slowly forgive him, like last time. He was still a child in many ways. Sometimes saying sorry wasn’t enough.

“I know.” Shisui readily agreed. 

That was fine. Shisui would rather be a coward than continue to be part of that toxic game. There had been truth in his words to Itachi when he had left him, or when Umi had left him for Katsumi. Itachi had a future ahead of him, and Shisui was not going to be the one to threaten it.  If this was the one thing he did right, then so be it. 

 

 


 

 

Summer had once more arrived in Konoha and the streets were lined with vendors, preparing for the festival. Hiruzen retired late in the spring and Itachi now took up the mantle. “It suits you.” Kakashi had informed him, handing him a scroll and Itachi hesitantly smiled back. It would take some getting used to, but he wanted to make them proud. Hiruzen, mother and father, Kakashi and all his friends, and… Shisui–that small child in him would still hope that Shisui was proud of him.

Itachi’s hip was scarred, the name that had once adorned it burnt away. It was freeing in a way, no longer having to see Shisui’s name etched into his skin, but the sense of loss was still there. It would fade in time, just as the scar would. Soon, Shisui would be nothing but a memory and Itachi would be truly free.

He was at his desk as the sun was setting, having dismissed Genma and Iwashi earlier. He signed a document request from the elders council, requesting a formal meeting. It rackled them that an Uchiha was Hokage, but with Hiruzen on the council, any pushback they hoped to give was met with resistance and support for Itachi.

“We gonna see you at the firework display?” Anko poked her head into the office, behind her Itachi would hear Shinko and Tenma bickering. 

“I can’t. I have the messages from Kiri to respond to.” He had a mountain of paperwork he needed to go through at that point, not to mention he needed to respond to requests from the other villages for a formal meeting at some point. 

“Boo!” Shinko muttered, out of sight.

Anko tsked. “Don’t tempt me, I’ll bring the entire gang up here.”

Itachi didn’t doubt it. “I’ll see if I can slip away.” He wasn’t making any promises, but that seemed to be enough for Anko. She offered him a salute while Tenma peered and, grinning before following the pair down the hall. Mother and father had stopped by earlier with baked treats, mother seemed to have a sense for when Itachi wasn’t eating and even if he was the Hokage, she wasn’t going to let him get away with it. He’d be joining them tomorrow evening for supper. 

The mountain of paperwork steadily turned into a hill, then a small bump, the completed files tucked away. He was going to get a detail ready to travel to Iwagakure in order to meet with their Tsuchikage. He would still need to create a roster and choose those who would accompany him. The Jonin Standby Station’s funding was enough to request a new roof and updated facilities, Itachi would have to visit the station at some point so he could help secure a contractor to come out. The Academy had just graduated another group, smaller than previous years and instructors were concerned about future classes. With a little sigh, Itachi set the papers aside, needing to give his eyes a break for a moment. 

He made himself some tea, the light on his desk casting a gentle golden glow over his paperwork. Setting aside his completed documents, he scanned over some messages that he had finished earlier that day, checking for any indiscrepancies. Shisui’s requests remained on his desk, signed and completed. He was officially retired, and officially out from under the clan’s thumb. 

Outside, a muffled explosion went off and red lights illuminated the desk. Itachi watched from the window as fireworks lit the night air, his cup of tea sitting on his desk. There were muffled cheers from out in the fields as the spectators enjoyed the view. Itachi smiled, resting his chin in his palm. His home truly felt like a home again, and Itachi was honored to be the one to protect it. 

Down below in the field, Sasuke sat with a group of his friends. Naruto was practically draped over his and Juugo’s lap. Neither were bothering to complain, Suigetsu had already wedged himself into the group, never one to be left out. Sasuke could see Neji and Lee walking down the vendor area, Neji was holding some stuffed prize that Lee had undoubtedly won for him. Hinata and Kiba had joined Tenten at one of the games, rooting her on as she tried to win a prize as Shikamaru and Choji made their way to a food vendor. 

“You think Gaara would move here?” Naruto asked, casually kicking Suigetsu as the older boy elbowed him. “Or should I go to him?” Always with the stupid questions. 

“I think you should shut up and enjoy the show.” Sasuke responded without looking at him and Naruto snickered. 

Shino and Karin sat side by side, Karin’s head resting against Shino’s shoulder. Ino and Sai  were laying out in the grass, pinkies linked as they watched the sky. Sakura and her newly found soulmate sat beside them, heavily in that honeymoon phase and attached at the hip. They were all sprawled out together enjoying the warming season, and for the moment at peace.

 Anko, Shinko and Tennma had joined their own group, having grabbed some drinks. Anko shoved Genma’s shoulder as she passed him. Kurenai and Asuma were seated together, like teenagers as they held hands and leaned against each other. Gai was sprawled in the grass, allowing Yamato and Iruka to use him as their own personal pillows. Anko weaved between them, handing out drinks as she went. Shinko sank down, sipping her bubble tea in delight as she waited for Anko to join her.  Anko leaned down to whisper something in Kakashi’s ear before moving to join her girlfriend. Kakashi turned, eyes moving to look at the window of Itachi’s office and lingering there.

Several feet away, Shisui stood with Masaru watching the display. “You see the fireworks, buddy?” He cooed, spinning around with Masaru as the baby cackled in delight, before another bang went off. Masaru watched, entranced as the night sky became alight with color and sound. One day, Masaru could come to him about his future mark. Perhaps he would be lucky and be spared ever getting one, Shisui could only hope that he didn’t end up with the name of someone who could never be with him. 

Shisui turned to look at the Hokage’s office, watching as the lights danced off the glass of the windows, cheek pressed against Masaru’s as he imagined Itachi sitting on the other side of that glass, bathed in crimson light. This time last summer he had been standing in this very field, watching Itachi, ready to fall to his knees to apologize. Now, here he stood, stubborn with no wife and no Itachi.

"Goodbye Itachi." He whispered into the night, voice lost in the spray of lights.

He smiled then, a little sadly before Masaru’s responding coo returned his attention back to the display. 

In his office, Itachi turned off the desk light, casting the room in darkness, save for the light from the fireworks. He leaned back in his chair, resting his eyes for a moment. Perhaps he could use a break and go out to see the fireworks. Sasuke was there and Itachi could spend the time with him if he wished. He sipped his tea, cradling it between his palms and smiling. He had done enough, a break would be well deserved. Tonight was a lovely night, and Itachi thought it was high time he enjoyed it. Blue and green lights enveloped the sky and illuminated Itachi's face and dancing in his eyes. 




Notes:

And we're done! Over a year later we're finally at the end of this one time one-shot turned ninja soap opera. Thank-you again for all your support!

Chapter 51: Three Years Later

Notes:

I considered posting it as a separate story sequel because I reallllllly wanted it to be 50 chapters, but I thought it would ruin the flow, so I reworked it and made it into a chapter sequel, or chapter 51. Considered posting it next week, but figured I might as well post while people are still reading, here's the sequel for those interested.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Three Years Later

 

Dear Itachi,

 

“Masaru, come clean up for dinner!” Shisui called down the hall, listening for his son’s response. The scent of Gyudon wafting through the kitchen. Outside rain pattered against the roof, thunder rolling in the distance. 

“Kay daddy!” He heard the little voice call out. Shisui smiled, turning back to fix up a bowl for him. In the last three years he and Masaru had fallen into a very smooth rhythm. With Shisui retired he was able to dedicate all his time to his son. Auntie passed away last winter which left a notable hole in Shisui’s heart. Ino came by once a week for dinner and to help with Masaru and Anko would stop by occasionally to hang out. It took time, but eventually he was able to find himself again. He went out with friends, relaxed and found that he still had more to give. 

 

‘I know you probably never expected, or wanted to hear from me again…’

 

He reached to pull the pot off the stove, yanking his hand back with a hiss when he accidentally touched the hot metal. "Fuck…" he muttered under his breath, hoping Masaru didn't overhear him. He was heavy into his parroting phase and would repeat anything Shisui said, especially the bad words.

There was a knock on his door and Shisui hesitated, wiping his hands on the towel. Ino wasn’t due over for a couple days and he wasn’t expecting anyone. Then it dawned on him. He knew that chakra signature, had it memorized completely, but it couldn’t be. He walked slowly towards the door, hands surprisingly steady as he opened it and peered outside.  Itachi stood at the door, under the porch to avoid the pouring rain.

“Oh…I…hi.” Shisui said dumbly, staring at Itachi. 

“Hello Shisui.” Itachi greeted him with a faint smile. He was dressed in a gray hoodie and dark pants, his hair tucked into the hood. He didn’t wish to be recognized. For a second Shisui forgot how to breathe and when he regained control he nearly stumbled over his own feet. It was raining outside, he probably should not leave Itachi out in the rain.

“Come in,” Shisui stood back, allowing Itachi to enter. “Umm, I have dinner on the counter if you’re hungry…I mean not that you have to stay of course.” He was rambling, even after all this time Itachi could have him like this.

 

‘…writing this letter feels almost surreal, and I’ve had to stop and start a new letter so many times…’

 

“No thank you,” Itachi politely responded as he pulled his hood down . “I received your letter.” Itachi informed him, pulling the folded letter out from his pocket. Shisui’s chest constricted at the sight of it. He had sent it out last week, not even knowing if itachi would bother to read it. 

“Itachi-” Shisui began, panic bubbling in his chest. 

“Shisui, why didn’t you tell me?” Itachi cut him off, looking disappointed and Shisui breathed out. He glanced down the hall to where Masaru was still playing.

“I thought…” He trailed off, clearing his throat. “I thought I-” What excuse could he possibly make? He thought Itachi wouldn’t believe him? He thought it didn’t matter because all he seemed to do was hurt Itachi? So much time had passed that he thought the letter wouldn’t mean anything. It was just a way for him to come clean. 

“Shisui, I would have understood. I wouldn’t have been angry at you if you just spoke to me rather than trying to hide it. I could have helped you. We could have done something to avoid all of this."

 

‘….deserve to hear the truth, even if it’s too late to mean anything now…’

 

“I know.” Shisui confirmed, ashamed. “And I wish…I wish I could have done things differently.” He had panicked and in doing so he made all the same mistakes he had made before. It was easier to look back at them now and know he had been wrong. "At the time I felt like it wouldn't be enough. That all I seemed to do was hurt you, and you having to fix things wasn't fair."

He remembered coming back to himself, Umi's influence finally waning and all Shisui had felt was defeat. He didn’t love Katsumi, but it felt wrong to walk away again, even though that was exactly what he should have done. He could have explained what Uni had done. One thing he knew about Katsumi for certain was that she would never have liked Shisui to have been forced back with her. Her pride would never have allowed an unwilling partner.

Masaru suddenly raced into the room as fast as his little legs could carry him, halting when he saw Itachi and moving to hide behind Shisui’s legs, shyly peeking out. Shisui blinked, swallowing as he lowered his hand to ruffle Masaru’s wild curls.

“H-hey buddy,” He murmured. “Got an old friend visiting, can you say hi?” He watched as Masaru’s eyes darted from Itachi back to him, looking uncertain, one fist pressed against his mouth.

 

‘I can’t put it into verbal words, I guess saying it out loud makes it too real, too much, but you deserve to know what happened, you’ve always deserved to know…’

 

Itachi knelt down. “Hello Masaru,” He smiled at the little boy. “It’s good to see you.” Shisui watched the exchange with baited breath. He never thought he’d see the day where Itachi and his son would be speaking to each other. 

“Hi…”

“How old are you now?” Itachi asked and Masaru held up three small fingers. “Oh wow, you’re so big!” Itachi hummed and this had Masaru grinning. Shisui smiled sadly. In a different world Masaru would know Itachi, they would have been a family. Masaru would have seen Itachi as another father and not some stranger. 

 

‘…I was afraid and I was a coward and I was arrogant. I thought I could handle it and I was embarrassed when I realized I couldn't…’

 

Shisui lifted Masaru into his chair, placing his food in front of him. “I’m going to talk with my friend for a bit, okay?” He pressed his lips against Masaru’s cheek, inhaling that lingering baby scent. 

“Kay daddy.” Masaru was not even looking at him, instantly going for the food. Shisui and Itachi walked into the living room, still in sight of Masaru as he ate, little legs swinging happily.  

Shisui knew Katsumi had become attracted to Itachi, he knew that she often looked at him with lingering stares but when Itachi had told him, it almost felt like he had to honor her. She was dead and the thought of thinking badly of her made Shisui feel like scum. So instead he lashed out, finding any reason to be angry at Itachi because the only other person he could be upset with was dead.

 

‘…Masaru is growing up so much, and even though I can see Katsumi in him, there’s no part of me that misses her with that bone aching pain I would have expected. I regret her death, and think she deserved to live, but that soul shattering pain you’re supposed to feel when a soulmate dies just isn’t there…’

 

“You look…you look good.” Shisui cleared his throat and Itachi smiled at him.

“Thank you, you do as well.”Itachi had settled gracefully into his role, guiding the village and protecting it. Whoever doubted him were now eating their words. At only 23, Itachi was very  likely the best Hokage the village had seen. Maybe Shisui was biased, but he was hardly the only one to think so. “How have you been?” Itachi brushed a strand of dark hair behind his ear. “I heard you were doing well with therapy.” 

There was no shame in it. Shisui had been diligent in keeping his mental health secure. Even three years later he went to therapy everyday. It was his therapist who suggested writing to Itachi, to put everything he couldn’t say on paper. Shisui had resisted the idea at first, but once he started he had been unable to stop. He poured his heart into it, writing page after page. He confessed everything. Umi’s manipulation, his own fears, the threats made against Itachi and everything Shisui could think of.

 

‘…nothing I say could change all I’ve done, and I wish I could go back in time, knowing what I know now…’

 

“I…I’ve been okay. Masaru’s great and being able to be a full time parent is more than I ever could have asked for.” He stared at Itachi, feeling incredibly small. “I heard Sasuke’s been giving the clan hell.”

“Oh yes, he’s very much a force to be reckoned with.” Sasuke had certainly come into his own in these last couple of years. Being clan heir suited him well, he had a strong enough stomach for the politics and staring down any wayward clansmen. Itachi didn’t know how Juugo handled Sasuke’s dramatics, but he was so genuinely good for Sasuke, the calm to his storm.

“Good, good…” Shisui trailed off.  “I wanted to be honest with you. I know keeping secrets and trying to act like I knew what was best is what ruined everything, and I'm sorry you had to learn about it all through a letter.” Shisui heavily sat down on the couch, staring at his hands as they hung limply in his lap.

“I’m glad you wrote it. I’m glad I finally know.” Itachi assured him. “I just wish you had told me sooner. I would have done anything to help you.” Shisui struggled to meet his gaze, ashamed of himself down to his bones. 

 “I lost any right to ask for forgiveness the night I attacked you.” Shisui replied softly, picking a hangnail nervously. 

“Shisui-” Itachi sat beside him, not close enough to touch, but still close enough to look him in the eye.

“I hurt you, ” Shisui croaked and Itachi looked away. “I dangled you over that banister ready to drop you.” He could still see Itachi’s face in his mind, how his eyes looked, how he had stared up at Shisui in frozen fear. That was not a look that Itachi should ever have had to direct at him.

 

‘…reason I wrote was to explain why I did what I did, but it always looks like excuses to me. My therapist says it’s from Umi’s control, but I can’t use that as an excuse, especially conjuring that I’ve had a habit of…’

 

“You scared me,” Itachi admitted. “I never thought the day would come that I would be afraid of you.” Shisui did not want to exist in a world where Itachi feared him.

“And I can’t even claim it was Umi’s influence. It was me. I did that to you.” Shisui glanced at Masaru as he continued to eat. “I had nightmares about it. What if I had let you drop, what if I-”

“But you didn’t.” Itachi firmly replied and Shisui visibly gulped. “You said she knew about…well about what we did.” Itachi’s voice lowered and Shisui closed his eyes. “I’m not excusing your actions, but you were under horrendous mental strain.” Itachi calmly replied and Shisui shook his head. 

Tsunade had called it a psychotic break, likely to do with Umi’s control on his mind. The dangers of her way of entering a mind were well documented. It was why Inoichi was so adamant about how mind reading and sensory perception interrogations were done. One faulty move and the victim could be left completely damaged. 

“It’s no excuse. I didn’t even love her anymore and I wasn't even angry at you. I was angry at myself and like an idiot I took it out on you.” Even to this day, Shisui had trouble with certain tasks, his memory going blank at inopportune times. Therapy helped, but it could only do so much. 

 

‘…proud of the Hokage you’ve become and will continue to be, seeing you lead the village with such poise and grace makes me feel more secure in the future for my son…’

 

“You went to kill her.” Itachi reminded him and Shisui snorted. The second time had been the charm.

“She saw right through that. I thought I could silence her for good but…I was afraid Itachi. I thought it would ruin all you had fought for and I couldn’t-” He breathed out. “I couldn't be the reason you didn’t succeed.”

“Shisui if you knew me at all you would have known I would be by your side no matter what happened. We would have found a way to deal with Umi. If we could handle Danzo then Umi was no true threat. You never should have gone after her alone.”

Itachi was right, of course he was right. “I kept doing it. I’d make these choices and not even consider what you thought. Every Time I thought I was finally growing as a person, I would make the same mistakes.”

 

‘You gave me the chance to raise my son out from under the shadow of the clan or the expectations of the village and I words can’t properly convey how much I appreciate you for everything you’ve done.’

 

“I spent so much time reading your letter that the words stopped making sense after a while,” Itachi closed his eyes. “And I was so angry with myself for having not realized that happened.” Shisui opened his mouth to respond but Itachi lifted a hand to silence him. “I was angry at myself, at you for constantly making the same foolish mistakes and I wasn’t sure where to begin. Shisui, I can’t look at you the same way I used to. All I see is you still falling into the rabbit hole you keep digging. I appreciate what you meant to do, and I understand that sometimes we can do foolish things in defense of the people we love.” If Shisui or Sasuke had been in such a precarious position, Itachi would have stopped at nothing to defend them, even if it hurt them in the end. He could hardly fault Shisui for doing something Itachi might have done if needed. 

“I feel like there’s a but coming.” Shisui murmured and Itachi nodded.

“But I just can’t wrap my head around your logic. You wrote that you tried burning my name to let me go, why even bother reaching out now if you wanted to move on?”

Shisui swallowed nervously, glancing down the empty hall before pulling the collar of his shirt back. He showed Itachi the burn on his shoulder, and under it Itachi’s name still peered through. 

“I guess I never could let you go.” His smile was sad. Itachi reached out, fingers featherlight as they touched the scar. "And the only way to actually heal and move forward is to make sure that you are no longer in the dark." Itachi trailed his hand over the edge of the burn. It had long since stopped hurting, but a shiver went up Shisui’s spine at the featherlight touch. 

“Mine burned as well.” Itachi confirmed and Shisui glanced at him with a frown.

“What?”

“Mine burned when you burned yours.” Itachi explained. “Like they were linked.”

Shisui blinked, mouth opening but no sound coming out for a moment. “I-I didn’t realize yours would…I thought it would just-I’m sorry .” He had never thought that by destroying his mark he would hurt Itachi. If he had known then he never would have bothered trying to destroy his. 

“How could you have known?” Itachi shrugged. “It wasn’t like our situation was the most normal.” Shisui’s eyes darted down to Itachi’s hip, as if wishing to see for himself, but not daring to ask. 

There were so many questions he had, so much time lost. He had heard rumors about Kakashi and Itachi and though it nearly burned the tip of his tongue he knew he had no right to ask if it was true. If it was then Itachi deserved the best. The necklace he had viciously torn from Itachi's throat hung heavy against his heart, like Itachi, he had not parted with it in years.

 

‘…all this time I had been running and making excuses rather than facing the truth. I want to be a better father for my son, a better man for myself and in order to do so I can’t keep these secrets from you, no matter what it does.’

 

“Daddy!” Masaru called from the kitchen, “Daddy I gotta go!” His face screwed up into one of apprehension, nose scrunching up. Shisui blinked, pulling back with a laugh and getting to his feet. 

“One second, nature calls it seems.” Itachi watched as he lifted Masaru from his seat and lowered the little boy to the ground. 

"I go by myself." The little boy firmly informed his father. Masaru immediately booked it down the hall and into the bathroom. 

“He hasn’t had an accident in a month, a new record.” Shisui explained. "We're seeing how long he can keep it up." Shisui was smiling fondly down the hall, looking so proud of his little boy. Shisui held himself differently. Itachi noticed the muscles of his back no longer seemed tense. He was relaxed, confident in his role as a father. Masaru obviously adored Shisui, the way his blue eyes lit up when Shisui would look at him.

There was still so much between them. Both good and bad. Shisui had opened the door by writing that letter. Itachi had no plans of reading it when he first saw it, but something told him to not throw it out. It sat on his desk for three days before Itachi found the nerve to open it. At first Itachi was furious when reading its contents. It was just like Shisui to keep secrets like that, try to fix it on his own and keep Itachi out of the way. 

He didn’t understand why Shisui hadn’t been honest, why couldn’t he just talk to Itachi like an adult. Then, it just broke his heart. Shisui was so lost that he thought that confiding in Itachi would only ruin things. He had been Itachi’s best friend once, even if it hadn’t worked out romantically, he still never should have felt like he couldn’t talk to Itachi. 

 

‘I couldn’t stand the thought of you getting dragged into a mess I made. I thought I could fix it and you would be safe. I’m sorry I couldn't fix it.’

 

Itachi had read and reread the letter so many times that even without his sharingan he had it memorized word by word. Shisui had poured his soul into this letter and Itachi felt like he was holding his very heart. He smoothed the letter out on his lap, fingers gently brushing over different lines.

“Hey.” Shisui murmured, down the hall Masaru was loudly returning to his games. “What’s on your mind?” Itachi hesitated. He had taken a day or so to consider the letter, not wanting to act off emotion alone. He had spoken to Sasuke who confirmed that Ino Yamanaka had suspected Umi from the beginning. Itachi wished he hadn’t been so blind. He had kicked Shisui out that night without realizing that Shisui was no longer in control. 

So much wasted time over a bitter old woman. She had not only ruined Shisui and Itachi’s relationship, but she had destroyed any future for Katsumi. Any freedom she had longed for was dashed in order to please a grandmother who would never be satisfied. Itachi could hardly hate Katsumi when he had once been the one desperately trying to please his own family. He felt an odd kinship with her at that moment. Despite her vile suggestion and cruelties, she had only ever wanted her freedom and in the end was denied that.

 

‘Sasuke tried to talk sense into me, but I was too stubborn. I’d rather suffer in silence than be honest for once. I thought killing myself would be the answer, but obviously that never happened…’

 

“This is…it’s a lot to consider, and I know it took a lot to write it all down and actually send it to me. Thank you for finally being honest.” Itachi was sincere but it only shamed Shisui more. Things would have been so different if he had just stopped treating Itachi like he knew what was best.

“I wish I hadn’t taken so long…and that I didn’t have to hide behind a pen to finally say it all.” Shisui rubbed at his face, cheeks reddening in either embarrassment or shame. 

Itachi would be in the right to walk away. To deny Shisui that closure and perhaps it was tempting. He could end it all on his terms, but instead he wanted to move on. Reading the letter hasn’t magically fixed anything, but it did give Shisui a bit of that humanity back. He might never be able to look at Shisui the way he once had, but Shisui’s actions hadn’t been in malice, only desperation and fear and didn’t Itachi know that feeling well? 

He had spoken to Kakashi, the one person who always seemed to know what needed to be said. Kakashi assured him that while he didn’t owe Shisui anything, he did owe it to himself to have that closure, whether it ended in friendship or as strangers. It was Kakashi’s steady support and Sasuke’s honest push that made Itachi make that walk to Shisui’s house. 

“We still have a long way to go…and I would like to have time to actually discuss all of this.” Itachi showed him the letters, stapled in the corner to keep it organized. 

S hisui nodded quickly. “I figured that if you did want to discuss it, you’d want to go over the entire thing.” Shisui owed him that at least. It was…relieving in a way to get the truth out after all this time. Even if nothing came from it, at least Itachi knew.

“I…I would like for us to be friends again one day. Before Katsumi, before our marks, before all of this we were friends and I still treasure that.” Itachi reached for his hand, giving him a gentle squeeze. “It is still one of my most precious memories.” Shisui stared at him for a long moment, visibly shocked and Itachi patiently waited for him to respond.

Both Shisui and Itachi were older and hopefully wiser. “Friends would-...friends would be good.” Shisui smiled at him, his eyes a bit watery. The potential of being Itachi’s friend again was more than anything Shisui could have dreamed of. 

 

‘Not a day goes by where I don’t think of you and wish I had been stronger. From the very beginning you were my soulmate, romantic or not, it was always you that my heart sang for, and for whom my heart now mourns…’

 

Itachi smiled back and from down the hall, Masaru thundered into the room, holding a toy shark in his little hand and charging up to Itachi, presenting it to him. “It’s a shark!” He announced and placed it in Itachi’s hand.

“A very strong shark.” Itachi confirmed solemnly and Masaru offered him a toothy grin, climbing up on the couch and squeezing himself between his father and Itachi, eyes completely focused on the Godaime.

“His name is Shapu.” Masaru informed him solemnly, little legs kicking out. He placed the shark safely on Itachi’s lap. “I go bring more. Stay.” He instructed with all the conviction of a bossy toddler. Itachi did as he was told, watching with a fond smile as the little boy hopped off the couch and raced back down the hall in search of more toys. Shisui’s heart swelled. His two most important people together with him, even if for just a moment.

“Would you like to stay for dinner?” Shisui offered again. “I made Gyudon, I can answer any questions you might have had. No more lies.”

 

'...promise if you ever do wish to speak to me again, I'll tell you everything. No more lies…'

 

Itachi smiled at him. “Dinner sounds lovely.” 

Baby steps, that was all either of them could offer and even that might not be enough to fix everything, but for tonight, they could be friends once more.

 

‘Love always, Shisui’

Notes:

And here it is. Not a reconciliation but not both going on as strangers. Purposely keeping some things vague for readers to interpret as wanted.

Also like, I get that the previous chapter didn't meet everyone's lofty expectations but calling me lazy when I spend my free time writing and offering a free service seems a bit much. I mean if I get offered a commission I will gladly write the story as you see fit, but until then at least keep the criticism constructive? Anyway, it's been a ride.