Actions

Work Header

Skin Deep

Summary:

Itachi was twelve when his soulmate mark appeared. He had grown up hearing stories about them, how a person's soulmate’s name would appear on their skin, a silent declaration of a future with your one and only. He hadn’t thought much of it as a child. He was far too busy training with Shisui.

Itachi's soulmate doesn't come as much of a surprise. He always knew deep down that Shisui was his one and only. What does come as a surprise is the name that appears on Shisui.

Chapter 1: ACT I

Chapter Text

Itachi was twelve when his soulmate mark appeared. He had grown up hearing stories about them, how one’s soulmate’s name would appear on their skin, a silent declaration of a future with your one and only. He hadn’t thought much of it as a child. He was far too busy training with Shisui. Mother liked retelling the story of her and father’s soulmate marks. Father had been a late bloomer and mother had hers for two years and hadn’t said anything, waiting for father’s to finally appear. When it had, father had been a wreck, not knowing she had it he had attempted to keep quiet but he had been far too excited. He had all but screamed it at her when they had met up and she laughed in his face, delighted. 

When the mark appeared you could feel your soulmate through it. Their joy, their sadness, everything. They became as much part of you as your lungs, your heart or your soul. It shouldn’t have come as a surprise that Shisui’s name would be the one to appear across his hip. Still, Itachi hadn’t been able to hide his smile at the sight of his name. He knew it. How could he not? Shisui was his person and even without his name scrawled across Itachi’s skin, there was no one Itachi would rather be destined for. Sasuke was still at that age where soulmate marks disgusted him and would scrunch his nose up at mother. Itachi was nervous about how Shisui would react. He only showed his mother, nervous about her reaction but mother had been as excited as he was.

“I can’t think of a better soulmate for you, sweetheart.” She had assured him, cupping his face in her palms and pressing a kiss against his forehead. “Wait until his appears as well, he’ll be as excited as you are.” She assured him. “Some people are just meant for each other.”

He didn’t mention it to Shisui because Shisui didn’t mention it to him. Perhaps he already had his and was waiting for Itachi to say something. Or perhaps his hadn’t appeared yet. There was no concrete time when the name would appear. Usually sometime during late childhood and mid teens. Itachi’s had come a little early and if Shisui’s hadn’t yet, that was more than okay. Itachi could happily wait. They had a lifetime to be together.

Shisui was a late bloomer. It wasn’t that common for soulmate marks to appear, but occasionally people didn’t get theirs until they were entering adulthood. Shisui’s didn’t appear until he was seventeen. By then Itachi was fourteen and still content to wait for Shisui to realize. There was no need to rush. He was a patient boy and good things came to those who waited. 

The sun was shining, not a cloud in sight. Itachi loved days like these. The endless blue sky was a sight to behold. He felt Shisui’s warm, familiar chakra signature approach and had looked up, smiling in delight at the sight of his cousin.  “You’ll never guess what happened.” Shisui greeted him, almost vibrating in excitement. They were supposed to meet for sparring and Shisui had been later than usual.

“What happened?” Itachi asked curiously.  It wasn’t often that Shisui was late, but Itachi wasn’t worried. He could feel Shisui through the mark even before he had shown up. He was happy as he approached. Itachi loved it when he was happy. Shisui’s eyes crinkled in the corners with how large his smile was.

“My soulmate’s name finally appeared!” Shisui grinned at him. “I was beginning to think it was never gonna show up!” Itachi’s face flushed and he could swear his heart skipped a beat. Soulmate . Shisui finally had it. He beamed at the older boy, a little shy, his heart fluttering in excitement. 

“I was wondering when it would happen.” He teased. Did Shisui feel his excitement? He must because Itachi was nearly bursting at the seams with joy. Shisui pushed his sleeve up to show the name that had appeared on his arm. Itachi moved forward, already knowing what it would say but excited to see it nonetheless.

 

Except.

 

Except it wasn’t his name written across Shisui’s skin. Itachi blinked, thinking he had misread. He hadn’t.



Oh.” He breathed, staring at the name stamped across Shisui’s skin. Not his name. Not him. He wasn’t it. His staring caught Shisui’s attention and the older boy laughed, a little breathless.

“Yeah I was surprised too! I’ve spoken to her a few times before. So we sort of know each other.” Shisui replied with a grin. “I already reached out to her and she’s had my name for over a year! She didn’t want to spoil anything for me so she said she would wait until mine finally appeared.” He looked so happy. Happy and relieved to finally have his soulmate’s name after waiting so long. Itachi’s chest ached as if he had something lodged in there. This wasn’t right. This wasn’t how it was supposed to happen. Shisui was waiting for him to say something and Itachi could not bear to disappoint him. 

“I-I’m happy for you.” Itachi replied, finally managing to offer Shisui a little smile, even though it was forced and painful. Shisui was too happy to notice. 

“Thanks, I knew I had to tell you once I got the chance!” He slung an arm around Itachi’s shoulder, easy and friendly.  “You just wait, when yours pops up we’re gonna have to have a party, or one of those double dates.” Shisui scratched his chin thoughtfully and Itachi fought to offer him a nod.

“I’d like that.” If his voice sounded weak and his mouth felt dry. Shisui didn’t seem to notice Itachi’s odd reaction. He was lost in thought. A soulmate, someone to spend the rest of his life with. He had been waiting for what felt like forever for it to finally appear. He quickly reached to tossle Itachi’s hair. A friendly gesture. 

“Well, I won’t be able to spar today. I wanna go spend some time with her, you know?” It felt cheesy to say but it was true. The name felt like completion. The missing part of a puzzle. That was truly what it was. He had felt like something wasn’t right for so long and now that her name was there, he could finally breathe easy.

Itachi nodded mechanically. “Of course, I understand.” He did. Soulmate marks were precious. Once they appeared, they were there for life. Shisui’s soulmate would take priority, as soulmates always did. Itachi had heard it from his parents and had even seen it with Shinko and Anko when there’s appeared. Their world’s ultimately shifted. Itachi’s had. Only, his other half hadn’t shifted with him. Shisui smiled at Itachi, reaching out to pinch his cheek.

“That serious expression doesn’t suit you.” He teased lightly. “Don’t be to glum, I’ll have to have you guys meet soon. You’ll love her!” Itachi didn’t think he could ever hate someone more. It wasn’t fair to her, he knew that. Shisui winked at his friend and turned on his heel, whistling a hearty tune as he headed back towards the village center. Towards his future.

Itachi stared after Shisui, throat burning. With trembling fingers he reached for the hem of his shirt, lifting it and pulling his pants down just enough to show them name on his skin. It was Shisui’s. Still Shisui’s, always Shisui’s.


.



.

 

.

 

.

 

“So I heard Shisui’s soulmate mark finally appeared.” Fugaku stated over supper that evening. Mikoto’s eyes darted over to Itachi, a smile curling her lips. Itachi didn’t look up from his plate. He had been in a daze since that morning.

“Oh, that’s wonderful!” Mikoto stated, expecting what Itachi had been. “Shisui must be thrilled!” Sasuke was playing with his food, chin resting in his palm. Mikoto turned to offer Itachi a warm smile.

“Yes,” Fugaku confirmed. “I guess the Yamanaka girl has had hers for awhile now. Katsumi?” He didn’t notice Mikoto’s shocked expression as she turned back to him. “She’s a Chunin I believe, a year or so older than Shisui.” Sasuke made a face. Romance was dead to him of course. He was nine, he had bigger things to think about.

Mikoto turned to Itachi, mouth open in dismay. “Oh Itachi…” She breathed. Itachi didn’t look at her. He pushed his plate away and stood, Sasuke glancing at him in interest, discreetly flicking a pea off his plate and hitting Fugaku’s forehead. He hadn’t noticed. 

“I’m not feeling well, may I be excused?” Itachi asked. His vision was swimming. Mikoto looked torn between sadness and confusion.

“Go on.” Fugaku waved him off. He was still deep in thought about the new couple. “She’s not an Uchiha but that’s hardly important. The Yamanaka Clan is always a welcome sight. They’re planning for a wedding for early February if possible.” Itachi fled the room, stomach churning. He knew he was going to vomit. He knew it was coming. Two months. They were already planning a wedding. He knew that often happened with soulmates, once they were paired why wait? It was extremely rare, but occasionally this happened. Where one person would have a name on their skin but their soulmate would have another. Itachi had been naive to think that someone like him was ever going to have a happily ever after. A child’s dream. It was time to grow up. 

 


 

Katsumi Yamanaka was beautiful. Long golden hair and deep grey eyes. She was a perfect match to Shisui. The entire clan thought so. Shisui had already brought her over to introduce her to the clan and properly propose. Both clans had readily accepted the match. Itachi had been forced to watch as the man whose name was written on his skin proposed to another. He had forced himself to smile even as he felt his world begin to tremble.

The wedding came far too soon.

Katsumi stood arm in arm with her soulmate, smiling at the well wishers. Around her neck was a silver looped necklace, a gift from Shisui. Members of both clans were present. It was not often that soulmates were from two separate clans. It was an exciting match. A perfect match. Sasuke was out with some of his friends from the academy. This was merely a formality, a way to cement an alliance with a picture perfect wedding. They were soulmates, no one would ever deny them that right. She looked so regal in her kimono. The sleeves were intricately laced with pink and red flowers. Her hair pulled back under a lovely golden headdress. Next to her, Shisui stood proud in a dark blue yukata, a dashing groom ready to marry his lovely bride.

As clan heads both Fugaku and Mikoto were present to support Shisui. Mikoto had excused Itachi despite Fugaku believing he should be there to support his friend. Neither Itachi or Mikoto had the heart to tell him the truth. Shisui had been confused by Itachi’s absence, but Katsumi’s presence all but shadowed Itachi. Itachi wasn’t important. Not anymore.  Itachi stood out of sight, watching from behind the curtain as Shisui faced his bride, he was holding her hand and smiling at her, almost nervous looking. It had been a scripted proposal and the ceremony was just as formal. Shisui never liked having to be formal like this. Katsumi smiled at him encouragingly, squeezing his hand in a show of support. Itachi could hear as Shisui cleared his throat, suddenly finding strength with his soulmate’s silent support.

“Katsumi Yamanaka,” He began, voice clear. “I, Shisui Uchiha, would like to formally ask your permission as my soulmate to accept my hand in marriage. I humbly ask this before members of both the Yamanaka and Uchiha clan in hopes that they will bless our union.” Itachi gripped the wall, knees weak.

“I, Katsumi Yamanaka accept your proposal.” Katsumi recited perfectly. “With the Yamanaka and Uchiha Clan bearing witness, I humbly ask that our union be blessed.” They stood, hand in hand waiting for the clan to respond. It was a beautiful day out, perfect for a wedding. 

Fugaku stepped forward. “I, Fugaku Uchiha, support and bless this union.” Behind him Mikoto closed her eyes, attempting to keep herself composed. Shisui never needed to know about Itachi's soulmate. This would be a secret Itachi planned to take to the grave.

On the other side, Inoichi stepped forward. “I, Inoichi Yamanaka, support and bless this union.” He was smiling, proud of the young woman who had found her match. How could he not be?

Now, they could begin the official ceremony. Shisui was given the ring for Katsumi. The minster stepped forward and asked Shisui to repeat after him. He looked so handsome standing there and his bride so lovely, standing where Itachi had thought he would be.

“I, Shisui Uchiha, vow to be faithful to my wife and soulmate. To love and respect her. To console and help her in good times and in bad, I swear.” Itachi sank to his knees, closing his eyes and breathing unsteadily. He looked back, lip wobbling despite his best efforts.

“I, Katsumi Yamanaka, vow to be faithful to my husband and soulmate. To love and respect him. To console and help him in good times and in bad, I swear.” They were beautiful, perfect. A match made in heaven. Two wonderfully kind and gracious people coming together and building a future. They would have children, grow together and spend their days together. Soulmates for life.

Itachi’s head was swimming. He couldn’t hear the minister but he didn’t need to as he watched the happy couple seal their vows with a kiss. Pain as he never experienced before pierced him and he pressed his hand against his mouth in order to keep himself silent. His vision blurred with tears and despite his best efforts he was unable to keep them at bay. Could one die of a broken heart? Itachi felt that they could. He felt as if he were dying. He pressed a trembling hand against his chest, feeling for the hole that must surely be there. His soulmate mark stung, pain radiating from his fingers to his jaw.

He wasn’t sure how long he had been kneeling there. It felt like the world around him had stopped. Everything was gray and lost. Gentle hands were suddenly touching his back and he peered up to see his mother kneeling at his side, eyes mournful and shining. She had slipped away as soon as she was able, feeling her child’s pain. She couldn’t shield Fugaku from this anymore. He would know soon enough.

Mama -” Itachi’s voice trembled and Mikoto pulled her son into her arms, tucking his head under her chin and allowing her child to weep.