Actions

Work Header

From the Start, It Was Us

Summary:

Martin finds someone asleep at the institute library while closing up and immediately develops a crush.

Notes:

me, an ace who's never had a crush trying to write some fluff and gay disasters, we'll see how this goes. I also don't know how libraries work so...

Chapter 1

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Someone was fast asleep on one of the tables in the library, clearly in the middle of researching something, what with all the notes and loose pages scattered about. Normally Martin would just let them be but the institute had rules and Diana had left him in charge of locking up for the day. 

He sighed and approached the man who immediately startled awake at the barest brush of his hand. Martin froze as they made eye contact. The man had deep brown eyes, intense in the way they narrowed and stared at him, still bleary from sleep.

Oh, he's cute… In a sort of tired academic way. Though the dark bags under his eyes were not helping at all. No wonder he fell asleep, now Martin just felt bad for waking him up with how much he apparently needed it. The man was still staring at him, brows furrowed and a frown on his lips. 

Right, focus Martin, you can think about your feelings later, you had a job to do.

“So, ah, I’m locking up so if you could just...” Martin waved his hand around, gesturing at the table and then towards the doors. Words weren't working for him right now, he had no other thoughts except for the man in front of him whose expression morphed into one of embarrassment. It was cute how red his ears got.

"Ah, yes of course, I'll just... be on my way then." The man said as he scrambled to gather up papers. 

Oh, his voice was nice as well. Still a bit rough from sleep. He wondered… No, Martin, not the time.

"Right." The man nodded his head, stumbling a bit as he hurried out of the room.

Martin groaned as soon as the man was out of earshot, putting his face in his hands. 

It's fine, he'll be fine. The man just looked nice and appealed to his need to take care of people. It's fine. Just a tiny crush is all, it'll go away like the others, it's fine. They barely even interacted and he might not even see him again. Everything will be fine.

Ah, the good old illusory truth effect, if something is said enough times, it is most likely to be believed. If he remembered that correctly that is. He didn't need to worry about that anyway, everything will be fine.

Notes:

Sometimes we just need to write fluff to offset some of the angst. Thanks for reading. You can also find me on tumblr