Actions

Work Header

Over The Summer

Summary:

June 1942:

Tom Riddle thinks he's never going to get adopted. Oh well, he can still bring light into his life by wiping Hogwarts clean of Mudbloods and beginning his plans for immortality.

James and Eliza Erikson think that they'll never have a child. No matter, they can still adopt.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes and other works inspired by this one.)

Chapter Text

Tom Riddle had long ago given up hope of ever being adopted. He had been sent back by two adoptive families before he turned seven. Right now, he was fifteen. 

Dippet had sent him back to the orphanage. Again. Tom had gotten perfect grades, was the most well-behaved student in school, acted nice to everyone, and was even a prefect. Nothing he had done made any difference; Dippet sent him back anyway. Tom suspected the wizened idiot Albus Dumbledore was at fault for convincing Dippet to make him leave.

Tom had been doing research into his family history. Just last year, he had discovered that his maternal family, the Gaunts, were descended from Salazar Slytherin himself. It was one of the best moments of his life, but he had kept it a secret. Slytherin had hidden a secret chamber in the school, and Tom was determined to find it next year. Once he did, he would unleash it on the Mudbloods, the invasive parasites that came from the Muggle world that Tom hated so deeply.

Maybe, just maybe, if one of the Muggles was nice to him, Tom would go a little easier on the Mudbloods at Hogwarts. But that was a big if.

~

James and Eliza Erikson desperately wanted a child. It was last year, after many years of trying, that they finally accepted the fact that they would never conceive. It was a sad, sad moment for the couple.

Luckily, there was still the option of adopting a child. James and Eliza made sure that their home met all the requirements before going to orphanages looking for the perfect baby.

After leaving one, Eliza turned to her husband and said, "James, did you notice the older children? They all looked so angry and dejected like they knew they would never be chosen."

James sighed. "I know. Sad, isn't it? Once they pass the age of three, their chances go down dramatically."

Eliza perked up. "James, maybe we could adopt an older child!"

"But the spare room is set up for a toddler," James reminded her. "We'd have to go back and do it all over again."

"I know, I know, but it would be kinder to adopt an older child," Eliza smiled. "Think about it, dear, they would be so delighted..."

"All right, fine. But you're doing the planning."

~

"Children!" Mrs. Cole called sharply. "Get down here, all of you! There's a couple looking to adopt!" 

Tom rolled his eyes as the squeals of little children filled the hallway. They were all convinced that the couple downstairs would choose them. How naive.

Mrs. Cole rapped loudly on the closed door. "You too, Tom. You know the policy; all children downstairs."

Grumbling to himself, Tom hid his Hogwarts textbook in his suitcase and made his way down the stairs, carefully avoiding the tiny kids running around excitedly. He knew that he would not be chosen by whoever was down there. The two other families that had taken him in were put off by his "freakiness."

Once all fifty children were lined up in the hallway, Mrs. Cole escorted the couple in. They looked fairly young, wealthy, and educated, and quite nice. Tom couldn't help but feel a pang in his heart. Of all the Muggles in the world, these two didn't look that bad. 

~

"This is Mr. and Mrs. Erikson," Mrs. Cole said. Turning to the Eriksons, she said, "All the children are up for adoption. Once you've chosen one, we'll go to my office and I'll prepare the paperwork." 

James and Eliza scanned the row of older children in the back, ignoring the little ones in the front. Some of the orphans noticed this and exchanged confused glances. In the back, Eliza noticed two boys, one with blond hair and freckles and another with black hair and a detached expression on his face.

Mrs. Cole noticed where she was looking, and said, "Those two are Billy Stubbs and Tom Riddle. If you're looking for an older child, I'd take Billy."

"Well then, let's see the paperwo-" James said, but Eliza cut him off.

"What about Tom?" she asked.

Mrs. Cole pursed her lips. "Well, Mrs. Erikson...there's something wrong with him. A bit freakish."

"Freakish?"

"When he was younger, he could do strange things, like-"

Eliza was having none of it. "Rumors from the children, most likely. Mrs. Cole, I don't put any stock in superstitions. If you've been telling this to every parent who thinks about taking him, I'm not surprised he hasn't been adopted. May we see his file?"

~

From what Tom could overhear, it seemed the woman was...actually considering him?

Oh, forget it. Once she saw his file, it would be all over. She'd take the undeserving git Stubbs, and he would be forgotten once more and left to rot in the crumbling orphanage. Just as Dumbledore no doubt intended. 

Mrs. Cole led the Eriksons out of the room, and as soon as they were out of earshot, Stubbs turned to him with a nasty grin on his face.

"Bet they'll drop you the second they see that file, Riddle," Stubbs sneered. "I'll make sure to send you a postcard when they adopt me and we go on vacation."

"Stubbs, for once in your miserable, useless little life, try decreasing the size of your mouth and increasing the size of your brain," Tom snapped in response.

Stubbs's eyes widened at the insult, but he didn't dare punch Tom in front of all the other orphans. 

"You'll pay for that one, Riddle," he snarled under his breath.

~

Eliza was impressed. From the vague report Tom Riddle's boarding school had sent back, he had immaculate grades and high test scores. One member of the staff, Martha, had written down that he was reserved and an excellent reader. 

Of course, there were reports of him doing "unnatural" and "devilish" things as a young boy. Eliza dismissed them immediately. She knew firsthand how children could gang up on an outsider for almost any reason. In Tom Riddle's case, she suspected that the other orphans distrusted him because of his intellect and self-imposed isolation. (She herself had been teased as a child for being "too smart for a girl.")

She handed the file to James. He skimmed over it and said, "He seems like a very nice young man. I was looking through Billy Stubbs's file, and it looks like there are several unconfirmed reports of bullying."

Eliza frowned. "I don't think we'll be taking him, then." She turned to Mrs. Cole. "Please get Tom Riddle's paperwork ready."

~

Mrs. Cole came out of her office. "Children, go back up to your rooms. I need to help the Eriksons with their paperwork."

The children buzzed with thrilled whispers. That meant one of them was getting adopted. Tom suspected that half of them would start packing their belongings and straightening their clothes as soon as they got upstairs. 

Not Tom. Knowing there was little hope of getting adopted, he pushed past the others to avoid Billy Stubbs and his minions, and pulled out his book to continue reading. He had been reviewing the course material for next year.

Several minutes later, there was a loud knock on his door. Mrs. Cole entered, and Tom quickly shoved his book under the bed. He fought back a scowl, suspecting that she was going to make him scrub the floors, which would no doubt delight the nasty other orphans. 

"Get your things packed," she ordered. "The Eriksons are waiting downstairs. Well, what are you gaping at me for, you silly boy?! They don't have all day!"

Tom stared in shock for a few moments. Was he actually getting adopted? Slowly, he began to pack his small second-hand suitcase that had been bought in Diagon Alley a few years ago. All it contained was his school robes, a change of clothes, his wand, and next year's textbooks and school supplies. 

He couldn't believe it. Why would the Eriksons choose him, of all the orphans residing here? Was Mrs. Cole playing a mean trick on him? No, she certainly disliked him, but wouldn't play such a childish and cruel prank. Maybe the Eriksons were a wizarding couple...but something about the clothing or speech would have given them away. They acted like Muggles.

Tom picked up his suitcase and walked downstairs. Mrs. Cole was waiting there, tapping her foot impatiently. "Took you long enough."

Behind her stood Tom's new parents.

~

Eliza gave the boy a warm smile. He didn't return it, clearly still stunned that he had been adopted. She was glad to get him away from the orphanage's matron, who seemed to hold a special dislike for him.

Mrs. Cole turned around and left without so much as a goodbye. (Though if she did, it probably would have sounded more like good riddance.)

"Hello," he said cautiously. 

"Hello, Tom. We're your parents, James and Eliza," she said, reaching out and putting a hand on his shoulder. He flinched but didn't draw back. "You can call us whatever you like; you don't have to go with Mum and Dad if you're not comfortable with it yet."

He nodded in response.

"Do you want me to take your suitcase?" James offered. Tom shook his head, looking down at his worn, scuffed-up shoes.

"All right, let's go out to the car." Eliza put a hand on Tom's back, leading him out. He stiffened up. Despite his calm and polite tone, the boy was very tense.

"Just put your suitcase in here, and then get in the back with Eliza," James said. Tom did as James said. Eliza sat down next to him in the back seat of the car.

"So, Tom, what do you like to do?" she smiled.

"I like to read," he murmured. "Sometimes I write a little."

"That's wonderful," she said. "Do you have a favorite book?"

He considered her question for a moment. "I liked The Count Of Monte Cristo," he said after a long pause.

"Really? That's one of my favorite books! Do you have a favorite subject in school?" Eliza asked, still smiling.

"Maybe math," Tom shrugged.

"James was always good at math," Eliza said. "I prefer world history myself."

"World history's interesting," he nodded. "Oh...you should probably meet with one of my professors. You'll want to know how my school works. I can send him a letter."

"Of course." Eliza was a bit surprised that Tom had mentioned writing a letter, but maybe the protocol was different at his school, or maybe the professor didn't have a phone. 

She attempted some more conversation with Tom for the rest of the car ride. He responded vaguely and unhelpfully but seemed interested in what she told him about herself and James. The only things she got out of him were that he liked reading and math, he liked The Count Of Monte Cristo, he really liked his school, and he didn't really have friends. When they arrived at the Eriksons' flat, James and Eliza sent Tom upstairs to unpack and get settled in.

~

Tom's bedroom was the last door on the right. It was small, but still very nice. The walls were painted a light greenish-gray, and there was a bookshelf in the corner stocked with Muggle novels and textbooks. There was an empty closet on one side of the room. Tom put his suitcase down, kicked off his shoes, and lay down on top of the bed.

Had he really just been adopted? He was still adjusting to the concept, having long ago told himself that this day would never come. But the Eriksons seemed to genuinely like him. Tom had played nice so far, even though he knew that they would toss him out of their home the second they found out he was a wizard. Until then, though, he saw no reason to be purposely difficult.

Tom turned over on his side, hugging one of the pillows. He should probably get up and unpack, but he was too tired. It had been a rather overwhelming day. 

What was he going to do about the letter? James and Eliza would have to find out eventually. Tom remembered that there were some wizards who worked in the Muggle post so nonmagical relatives could send letters to witches and wizards that they knew. He decided he would just put it in the mailbox.

Finally, he made himself get up. He put away the normal Muggle clothes in the closet, and his Hogwarts shirt, sweater, and pants. The tie, robe, and badge he left in the suitcase along with his textbooks and wand. Soon, Eliza knocked on his door. "Dinner, Tom!" she called.

Dinner that night was chicken and potatoes. Though it was fairly normal for most people, Tom never had food this good at the orphanage. He was careful to remember his manners, though, to make a good impression. Eliza told him that James was a lawyer and she was a journalist for a local newspaper. 

After dinner, Tom offered to help wash the dishes, but James told him that it was his first night here and he didn't need to do anything. Eliza gave him a short tour of the house and instructed him to get ready for bed.

Tom took a shower and brushed his teeth, changing into some clean clothes. He lay down on his bed and pulled Les Miserables off the shelf. He had heard it was an excellent Muggle book, so he should probably read it. 

Eliza knocked on the door. "Tom?"

"Come in."

Eliza sat down on the bed next to him. "How are you doing?" she asked, more serious than before.

"Fine," Tom said, setting aside his book. (It turned out, Muggle literature was very interesting. He would have liked to keep reading it for a while.)

She gave him an annoyingly effective Don't-lie-to-your-mother look. 

"Nervous," he mumbled. "And surprised."

Eliza nodded. "I would be too. Are you settling in all right?"

Tom nodded. No point in mentioning lack of clothes; he'd be kicked out soon enough.

"We'll need to buy you some new clothes..." Eliza mused, like she was reading his thoughts. "New shoes as well. Do you need textbooks?"

Tom shook his head. "I already have them."

"Good. You can stay up and read for a little while, but go to sleep within the next hour or so, all right?"

"All right."

Tom expected her to say something like Good night, Tom. I'll be in the other bedroom if you need me. I'll see you in the morning!

Instead, she leaned over and hugged him tightly. Tom froze, but after a moment, he gingerly hugged her back.

"Tom," she whispered. "I know you're probably a little scared and confused right now, but I promise you that you're here to stay, all right? I'm not going to throw you out onto the streets no matter what. Do you understand?"

"Yes," Tom whispered, holding back tears. She didn't know that he could do magic. If she did, she would take back that promise in a heartbeat.

~

When Eliza went to bed that night, she couldn't stop thinking about the boy she had just adopted. He never once acted happily. Respectful and polite, but not happy. When she told him good night and gave him another kind smile, he attempted a halfhearted one back, but that was it.

Eliza also wondered what school he went to. His file had not specified it, and he had never told her the name. Hopefully it was a good one.

Tom also seemed very sad. Even when she hugged him, he acted liked he was afraid of getting attached to her and James. Maybe he had been sent back to the orphanage by an adoptive family before, or maybe his biological family abandoned him. Possibly both. 

When Eliza told him she would never abandon him, she meant it. As far as she was concerned, she was his mother now and no good mother would ever leave their child alone in an orphanage. For some mothers, extenuating circumstances like the war might apply, but not to Eliza. She and James were in good financial condition, had stable jobs, and were healthy. There was no good reason to abandon Tom, and there never would be.

~