Actions

Work Header

Yayoi in Wonderland

Chapter 6: Reminiscing

Summary:

After Yamato's rampage, FORT tries to locate Hibiki's whereabouts so they can take him out despite Atsuki's protest. If that doesn't help, two reporters come to Kisaragi to solve the Moon Phase case. They have no idea what they are in for as the serial killer keeps his promise to kill any who investigates the case. Yayoi is introduced to the first aspects of the Red Kingdom's cruelty when they enter the school with Insane Children to retrieve the book that they need for the Gnome Elder to make the potion that will allow them to catch up with the White Rabbit.

Chapter Text

Atsuki wasn't pleased when he was called in again. Aya told him that it was urgent so he was forced to get out of bed, get ready and make his way to the police station.

Ibuki and Yuri were called in as well. Ibuki clearly wasn't the morning person. The brunette knew the sacrifices of being a police man but one's beauty sleep was really important. Yui was also called and unlike the trio of teens, she was used to getting up early.

"Sorry to call you all in," Aya began, "but this is meeting of significance." Aya turned on the TV that was in the lounge. Atsuki wasn't liking the situation one bit. "Apparently, there was a murder in Tokyo. Reporters claim that its the work of the Moon Phase killer."

"It's not the full moon." Ibuki said simply. "So its a different killer."

"No, his killing style is the same. The way he cut the body up and scattered the victim's parts all over Tokyo..."

"How cruel..." Yuri mumbled.

"It is. The victim is a ten year old named Simmeria Valkerie. She has no connection to the new moon or full moon victims, so it was assumed that she was investigating the deaths."

"That sounds improbable!" Yui exclaimed. "She's only a little girl! The criminal killed her for sheer joy."

Atsuki nodded his head in agreement. Sure there were kids that were observant for their age but this girl didn't even live in Kisaragi so there was no way she would know of the Moon Phase killer and investigate it.

Aya let out a groan in frustration. "Regardless, detectives are coming here today and complain to me. God...this sucks..."

"You know I'm not taking your place." Atsuki told the FORT spy.

"I was afraid you'd say that."

Atsuki would have berated her but that was Nola's job. He let out a forced yawn to show how bored he was being here with her.

"Anyways, Yamase, Takamura and Mimori, please go around town to make sure there isn't any suspicious activity. Chances are that these detectives will be targeted next."

"Roger."

"Yeah...yeah...yeah..."

"Understood."

The trio dismissed themselves from the police station. Atsuki exchanged a worried glance to his superior.

"Aya, about the murder."

"Yeah, I feel like the killer murdered a little girl in the big city on purpose so detectives and reporters will come swarming here, and that will result in more deaths."

"..."

"If you have any leads, please inform me immediately."

"Okay."

"And one more thing..."

Aya took Atsuki into her office to discuss FORT related matters. "We can't find any clues to who infected Yamato. He was an empty shell by the time FORT took him in. Kiryu's power is too powerful if he can cause problems for us."

The gray haired teen did not like where the conversation was going.

"FORT has sent Liu Yee to deal with him, but at the moment PICUS is searching for him. Once they find him, they'll take him out."

"How unfair of FORT to do something like this."

Aya sighed. "I know he saved your life and we should be grateful for that, but we can't let this one slide. He is the key to figuring out all of the incidents that are happening around here. I'm sorry Atsuki, but some sacrifices must be made in order to protect a large amount of people.

Atsuki knew FORT's method very well. If someone was even considered a small threat to FORT, they would eliminate the source and cover up the death of that person. Hibiki was just an unfortunate victim in FORT's game and that was why the telepath was upset. Hibiki was probably one of the few true friends he made despite the stalker vibe he gave off but he really was a kind soul.

And when I think about the look he gave me yesterday, I feel like there is something wrong with him. Atsuki told himself. I have to find Kiryu before PICUS does if I want him to make it out of this alive.

Atsuki knew that it would be impossible but he had to try for his sake as well as Ryo and Honoka's sake.


As Atsuki exited the police station, he saw Hanako speaking with a girl...or was it a guy? Interested in what she was saying, he decided to walk her way.

"God you're such a fucking sadist!" She cursed.

"If I'm the sadist then you're the masochist." The other person said simply in a cold tone.

Atsuki recognized that person as Mars Shidou. Hanako noticed him and frowned.

"Moon, this cross dresser is cruel!"

"You have just shortened your life span." Mars told her coldly with a smile on his face. He wave in the telepath's direction. "Good morning Saijo. I didn't know you were a morning person since you're always late with Miyamase here."

The telepath sweatdropped. That was a quick change in personality.

"Good morning to you too."

"I hope you're okay from yesterday. I didn't expect the Demon Teacher to do something as ridiculous as that. I mean, calling you, Yamase and my adorable little sister a monster."

"Sister?"

Mars giggled. "Oh, he got out genders mixed up. He accused my sister of being the monster but I'm the one with the spiritual awareness. Adults can be so stupid sometimes."

"Tell me about it."

"I wasn't talking to you Eiffel Tower!"

Hanako fell over dramatically. 

Atsuki thought for a moment. "Eiffel Tower?"

"That's my nickname for her." Mars said finally dropping the cutesy act realizing that Atsuki knew everything because of the tall girl. "She's so tall, I thought I was in Europe again."

"That's so cruel!" Hanako cried.

Mars continued to smile as he grabbed Hanako by the collar of her shirt. "Well, we need to stop at a few places before I visit her place." He said with a laugh before trying to be serious. "I hope you visit Mido. I'm the honor student and assigned to visit anyone who was sent to the hospital but it's tiresome and I need a break from it all."

Atsuki noticed a red Shinen emerge within the blonde. He decided to read it seeing as Mars was distracted by Hanako. This one seem to be his feelings on being a perfect honor student.

I hate being an honor student.

Fragile appearance.

Sweet but fake voice.

Open hearted.

That's not me!

Want to be a guy.

Want to go back to the country side.

Father is so stupid.

ALL ADULTS ARE STUPID.

There was another Shinen inside Mars so he decided to read that one as well. This one seems to focused on Hanako and Atsuki.

Strange guy.

Looks straight ahead.

Beautiful eyes...

Opened Hanako up.

Mysterious vibe.

Has powers like me?

Nah.

Hope he gets along with Hanako.

I care for her.

"I'm sorry Saijo, but we must be on our way now." Mars said simply as he dragged Hanako away from the police station.

So, Mars cares for Hana. Atsuki thought to himself. It's good that she has some friends. The serial killer seems to target all who were friends with her or so she claims. Hana was in Tokyo when the serial killer went there. That's usually a sign that she'll be the next victim on the full moon. I better keep an eye on her. Still, something still bugs me. That Mars though...he might be another telepath. If he has spiritual awareness, he could figure out what my powers are and blow my cover. I need to watch over him as well.


When Atsuki told Natsuki to check the Shinen in the city, she got suspicious on who he was searching for. Atsuki tried to pinpoint Hibiki but none of the Shinen matched him. Mika's Shinen was at Seagull, Nami's was at South End, Rui's was at Company F, Ryo was at Tohodo, Hanako and Mars were also at South End, Shinji and Richie were in the Soejima Mansion area and Akira and Yayoi were at Shinsei Hospital...

But no Kiryu. Atsuki said to himself. How could his Shinen disappear so quickly? If Natsuki can't even pinpoint his exact location, then PICUS will have a terrible time with finding him. The telepath then thought about what Hanako said yesterday. I could ask Hana if she knows where he is, but it might have just been a wild guess, she's really observant or she does have powers that allows her to pinpoint the location of people. Still, if I go after her now, Mars might get suspicious...I'll check up on Yayoi...I feel like she needs me.


Fortunately for him, the hospital was allowing him to visit early in the morning (it wasn't that early now). Avoiding Akira's room, he went straight to Yayoi's. The artist was still sleeping soundly as if the accident never occurred.

"I'm sorry Yayoi," Atsuki apologized. "It's my fault this happened to you. My selfishness got the best of me and...I'm sorry that I let it happen...I must be a terrible person and you must hate me now. You're probably wondering why it had to be you and not me. I wonder that to." Atsuki was still for a few minutes. The only noise in the room was the machine that told Yayoi's heartbeat. "Yesterday, I could have joined you. That Demon Teacher Yamato took the students hostage. He wanted to kill those with special powers like Rui, Mars and me...yes. I have powers too. I'm sorry for never telling you this. My powers are the reason why people around me get hurt. It's a curse I tell you. Akira got hurt because of me..."

Atsuki felt something warm slide down his cheeks. He quickly wiped the tears away from his eyes. He couldn't believe he was crying.

"I can't accept the fact that I'm crying over something this stupid." He told himself more than Yayoi. "I told everyone I would let go of what happened because it wasn't my fault, but you, me and Nami know it was my fault in the end. That's why your mother smacked me. She made me realize my mistake."

Atsuki did not suspect the door to swing over.

"That's not true Saijo!"

"Akira...?"

"I knew you haven't gotten over the accident. Why can't you admit that it wasn't your fault and that Mrs. Kamishiro blew it out of proportion?!"

"Because it is!" Atsuki yelled sitting up in the chair he was sitting in. The impact from suddenly standing up caused the chair to tip. "I let my emotions get the best of me! I just had to get into the game! If I just said no from the beginning, Yayoi wouldn't be like this!"

Akira could see that Atsuki was at his breaking point. It wasn't going to be good if a nurse (specifically Honoka) came in and witnessed the breakdown.

"Why doesn't anyone realize it's my fault?! Whenever I'm around the people I really care for, they all get hurt and wind up like this! Why am I cursed with this fate? Am I supposed to be alone forever?!"

"Stop it Saijo."

"I hate this! I hate how everyone treats me like the victim! I'm the villain for crying out loud! Why can't I just disappear now..."

A quick slap on the cheek by the material artist was all the telepath needed to snap out of his mental breakdown temporary.

"Enough of this!" Akira yelled harshly. He looked hurt and disappointed. "I can't stand you acting like this in front of Yayoi. If she was awake, she would tell you that it wasn't your fault? Saijo, you're the reasonable one of the group besides Yayoi. Why can't you realize that? Is it because you love her?"

Akira didn't mean to ask that question. It just slipped out. Atsuki looked completely bewildered.

"I do..." Atsuki replied.

The spiky haired teen didn't like that answer.

"She reminds me so much of mom." The silver haired boy explained. "Her smile, her warmth, the way she was hit by the truck. It was so similar."

Akira felt something within him snap. "That's it?"

Atsuki stared at him in confusion.

"You only love Yayoi because she reminds you of your mother. Man, something is wrong with you."

Atsuki couldn't help but smile in a crazy manner. "You just realized that now? Are you going to call me a monster like the Demon Teacher? You will, are you? You were thinking about how disgusting I am because I have a mother complex?!"

"I never said that Saijo."

"We may have both lost our mothers but she was what held my family together! When she died, everything fell apart and dad committed suicide and my sister had to be brutally murdered shortly after! Don't act like you're the only victim here!"

He's totally lost it. Akira thought to himself as he walked a little closer to the telepath.

"You act like a total asshole because your mom died. You act like you're the only one suffering but everyone else has problems of their own, yet you take your anger out on us! I hate you for that."

Akira knew he didn't mean what he said. That's why it was easy to grab him by the arm and lift them over his head.

"Let go of me!"

The martial artist pushed the telepath against the wall.

"I'll scream bloody murder if you don't-"

Atsuki never finished his sentence because he felt something warm enter his mouth. His eyes became broaden when he realized that Akira inserted his tongue into his mouth. He did nothing to stop it because he had no idea what to do.

The kiss ended quickly because Akira realized what he just did. He stared down at the gray haired teen and he felt guilty when the other gave him a look of childish innocence.

"Saijo, I..."

Atsuki used this chance to push him off of him and run out of the room. Akira could only watch as the one he openly confessed his feelings to by kissing ran away from him.

I'm such an idiot. Akira thought to himself as he turned around to glance at Yayoi's sleeping figure. Sorry I did that in front of you Yayoi...I know you like him but...


"So, when are you going to ask Sky out?"

Shinji was very annoyed with Richie's questions. All of them were the exact same question. When would he confess to Sora?

"It's impossible Richie! I have no feelings for him and he's already going out with Kotoru Hino."

"Then steal him away from her."

Shinji stared at her dumbfounded. "You got to be stupid. I can't do that!"

"Why not?"

"It's wrong. Kotoru is one of my friends too...or at least an acquaintance. Plus...she's very scary when she's mad..."

No matter how good the thought it would be to steal Sora away from her, it would make him guilty in the end. Kotoru, while very cold on the surface, she had a benevolent heart and if he stole her boyfriend, all the guys would congratulate hate him.

"Hey, isn't that Dawn over there?"

Shinji glanced up to see Atsuki running their way. He wasn't looking where he was going and almost crashed into him if they didn't move out of the way.

"Watch it!" Richie shouted.

Shinji gasped. Atsuki only looked there way for a few seconds but he could have sworn he saw tears in his eyes.

"S-Sorry..."

Atsuki quickly made his way to his apartment complex and slammed the door, locking it as well. Shinji didn't realize that he followed the telepath all the way to his place only to hear sobs on the other side of the door.

What happened? Shinji asked himself as he gave Richie a worried glance.


Aya put on her fake mask when the two detectives came into her office. One was clearly an adult and the other still a child in her high school years. The elder of the two had short brown hair and brown eyes. She wore all pink which was a total eyesore. The younger of the two had long blonde hair and blue eyes. In other words, your stereotypical blonde except she looked more intelligent.

"Sorry to bug you, but we are the detectives from Tokyo and France," the older women explained. "My name is Maya Sakura. My friend here is Bioju Von Richmond. I think you know why you're here."

"I know you're here because you think the killer in Tokyo is related to the killer here," Aya began in a monotone voice, "but I must tell you, they are two different people."

"Bull!" Bioju declared. "The way the pieces of the girl's body was found all over the city is similar to how body parts are found in Kisaragi."

"It's bad enough that the police let this killer be rampart for the past two years," Maya continued, "but this has gone too far if the killer is willing to go outside of Kisaragi to kill."

Aya said nothing as the older detective continued to ramble. Sometimes, the bluenette wished she was like Atsuki at times who could choose when to listen to someone and when not to (or at least gave the impression that he was and wasn't listening).

"We decided that we'll take this case in our hands so you can rest assure," Maya told her.

Aya shook her head in disapproval. "You obviously don't know what you're dealing with."

"Huh?"

"This case has not been solved for two years because whenever someone takes the case, they end up dead the night they volunteered to put this killer to justice or they die within a few days. I have recently just been assigned here and from what I know, the mayor ordered the police not to investigate for the sake of the city. While I have sent a few to uncover the truth in secret, if you walk around here asking people questions about the serial killer, I cannot guarantee your safety."

"So you're threatening us?" Bioju questioned as she glared at the chief of police. "Are you saying that we should just let this psycho run around murdering people as young as that little girl? What kind of police officer are you?"

Aya clenched her fist. There was a saying that you shouldn't press a FORT member's button or you'll regret it later.

"Bioju, that's enough." Maya told her young partner. "There are risks in this mission and that has happened in the past, but we won't get caught."

"Of course not. We're ace detectives."

The two female detectives left the office after badgering the bluenette a little more. Once they left, Aya cursed out loud before she dialed Atsuki's number. She needed someone to complain to and the silver haired teen was just the unlucky person that she'll snap at.

In the end, Atsuki never picked up his phone and Aya was left to brood for the rest of the day.


"Geez, what is with the police here?" Bioju questioned her partner.

Maya shrugged her shoulders. She didn't like how the police chief was so laid back on a subject like this.

"Threatening us over something like this? I wouldn't be surprised if the killer was someone she knew."

"Bioju, that's taking it too far."

"But she's suspicious! There isn't a police chief alive that wouldn't take something like this in a non-serious manner."

"She's laid back," Maya explained, "and there are people like that."

"But because of her personality, people are dropping dead every month!" Bioju yelled. "And she's not doing a damn thing about it."

"She said she had detectives working the case."

"She probably said that to save her own hide!"

Maya sighed in defeat. First impression was very important to her partner and Aya did not set a good example.

"If we solve this case," Bioju started, "then we can sue her and all the Kisaragi Police for not doing a damn thing!"

"I don't think that will be necessary."

"It is! They're all terrible for letting this happen for two years. It's so sad that it makes me want to puke." Bioju said this to pump herself up. "All right! I'm going to ask around! Maya, meet me back at the apartment later at 10:00 PM and I'll tell you the information I have."

Maya could only nod her head. Anything for quiet time...


Bioju was dead serious when she said that she was going to solve the case. She went around town and asked about the Moon Phase killer. People stared at the girl like she was crazy. They warned her that she would end up dead if she kept this up, but she denied that she would be murdered.

The day went on and no one gave her useful information. The French girl even considered asking the reporters but the one that was known as Mika Nozaki was nowhere to be found as she was going from one place to another.

Then someone caught her eyes. A tall girl with short blue hair and gray eyes. She looked like the type that would end up dead on the full moon this month.

"Hey you! I got a question to ask you!"

Bioju was being very rude about it but it seemed to frighten the tall girl somewhat.

"Y-Yes?

"How much do you know abut the Moon Phase killer?"

The girl paled at the question. "Why now?"

"Huh?"

"Why are detectives asking me now? It happened two years ago!"

Bioju didn't know that she stepped on a switch she shouldn't had have stepped on. The tall girl was on the verge of breaking down.

"If you know anything about the killer, please tell me."

"No."

"What?"

"This is a thing in the past. I don't want to talk about it!"

The tall girl quickly fled before the French detective could even react.

"H-Hey! If you run away, I'll label you a suspect!" she yelled but the girl was already out of hearing range. "She's another suspicious person. No one would freak out over something as trivial as this."

"May I help you Ms.?"

Bioju turned around. There was a man wearing a cloak over his head who was looking down at her.

"Yeah. If you give me information on the Moon Phase killer, I won't take you in for questioning."

The man smiled evilly underneath the quote. "Why of course. I know everything there is to know about the killer."

Bioju's eyes widened in awe. "Really? Tell me now!"

"Well about that..." The man looked around and then leaned in to whisper. "If I tell you out in the open, the killer will surely murder me for having this information. I think it's best if we go somewhere quiet."

Anyone would be suspicious if he came up to a detective and claim that he had information about the killer. The French girl was blinded by the fact that he did have information that she would go with him alone in a dark alley.

That was her big mistake because the instant she walked in front of him in the alleyway, he covered her mouth with a cloth. She struggled to break free but the drug on the cloth already had an affected her. She started to feel sleepy.

"You should have listened to the police chief." The man said in a low tone. "People die when they come up against me."

Bioju lost consciousness shortly after.


Yayoi had never ridden on a hot hair balloon and personally, she didn't want to ride one again.

The hot air balloon was out of control. The Cheshire Cat did not know how to operate the thing. All he needed to do was pull the lever and they would be able to float toward the Fortress of Doors with no problems. Instead, he kept pulling on the thing repeatedly until a hole bursted into the balloon. That caused them to be sent on a crash course a little bit south from their destination.

The artist did not have the softest landing. She couldn't say the same thing about Hibiki though who just did a hand stand to soften the landing.

"Next time, let me handle the transportation." Yayoi said rather coldly.

The Cheshire Cat just grinned. "All right."

Hibiki led the way toward the fortress. There were other threats besides the Red Army. Apparently, the wonderful creatures of Wonderful were turned into savages that would attack anyone who they might consider weak or on the side of the White Army. Even Yayoi could handle these little critters with a few hits from her staff. Hibiki however just slashed a bunch of them with one swing from his scythe.

They stopped in front of the fortress. The cat boy turned to Yayoi as he cut the lock on the door.

"I must warn you. The kids here are...out of this world."

It was a total understatement. When the door opened, Yayoi wanted to scream.

The fortress from the inside was actually an orphanage. The outside was bad enough but the inside was terrible. Many tables were broken. Glass was scattered around the floor and everything else was well. It was like the place was trashed by an adult having a child tantrum.

What frightened her wasn't the room itself though. It was the children that lived there. Most of them reminded her of the elementary school students from Kisaragi. Many had deformed bodies from robotic limbs to missing ones. Their eyes were bulged out or enlarged. Their hair was messed up and their clothes torn. They however, did not seem affected by their state.

"Keep moving." The Cheshire Cat told her bringing her back to reality or at least Wonderland reality.

Hibiki knew where the book was. Yayoi noticed that he wanted to get through this place just as fast as she did.

"What happened to them...?" Yayoi questioned. She stuttered the question because she didn't want to know but at the same time, had to know.

"She did this..." Was all the Cheshire Cat said.

"Who?"

They moved through the orphanage passing more crazy kids. One of them was particularly interesting. At one moment, she was crying her heart out. The next minute, she laughed hysterically to the point where the redhead pushed the cat boy to make him move faster,

"The Mad Hatter."

Yayoi was confused. "Isn't the Mad Hatter a he?"

Hibiki shook his head. "No. It was always a women. A very messed one I must add."

"...What did she...do?"

"Beside what you see now, she turned on her friends and gave her loyalty to the Red Kingdom. And I thought she wasn't that mad."

"You mean, she was good at first?"

"Maybe in the middle of the road but at least she cared for her friends."

He must be talking about the March Hare and Dormouse. Yayoi thought to herself. "What happened to them?"

"We're all scattered." He answered darkly. "The March Hare and Dormouse met a terrible fate and the Mock Turtle was sent into slavery. The White Rabbit and I are the only ones left...but that bastard Caterpillar stayed neutral."

She stepped on a land mine. It was better to just go get the Book of Bizarre Things before they continued this conversation. Besides, while she and Hibiki were somewhat acquainted in the real world, this Hibiki was a different person. He was the Cheshire Cat and he would speak in riddles when he finished his angst streak.

At the very end of the orphanage was a dusty door that was left untouched. There were no creepy children in the room they were in, so Yayoi decided to open the door.

It was another room with cobwebs and visible dust bunnies. There was a heat generator in the room that had been broken for a long time. It would explain why the fortress was so cold. In the middle of the room, there was a filthy table with a huge book in the middle.

"Is that the book we're looking for?"

The Cheshire Cat nodded his head. Yayoi went to pick up the book and dusted it off with her hand.

"Ryo would not like to see a book like this." She mumbled as she turned to the cat boy. "Can we go back now?"

"You don't have to ask twice. As long as you can get the balloon working again."

Yayoi rolled her eyes. It was going to take forever to find Atsuki...


Bioju slowly opened her eyes. She gasped when she saw the situation she was in. She was chained down to a table completely nude. A gagged covered her mouth preventing her from screaming.

"Detective Bioju Von Richmond has awoken from her slumber."

The French girl froze when she saw the shadow of the serial killer. He was wearing a cloak so she couldn't see his face, but she could see the evil smile that escaped his lips.

"I thought the rules were simple. Don't investigate and everyone comes out alive except my victims. Now, that you and your partner broke the rules, you will pay the price today and your partner another day."

He snapped his fingers and a pendulum appeared above her. Her screams came out in muffles.

"Let's play a game." The killer began. "If you can free yourself from the table, then I'll let you go free. However, if you don't get out when the pendulum reaches you, I can't say what will happen to you."

The serial killer laughed when he said this because he could see the intense fear in her eyes. The pendulum slowly came down and he saw her struggling like mad trying to break free. It would be impossible of someone her criteria to escape. She didn't have the strength to do anything. If it was her partner, that would be different.

"Oh, did I tell you that you have ten minutes to break free?" The serial killer asked the girl as he slowly faded into the shadows to watch the scene play out.

The girl was in a total panic mode. She was literally strangling herself to break free. Any method from trying to use her head to try and pulling the metal off to kicking repeatedly. Alas, nothing worked.

The serial killer continued to show his true colors as the pendulum came down.

"I wonder what your partner will think when she sees your dead body the next morning."

Bioju was bawling now. She tried to beg but the gag prevented any words from coming out. The serial killer glanced at her body and frowned. "If you were just a little older, I would rape instead of kill you, but what the heck."

He snapped his fingers again and the pendulum came down on the girl. Her eyes swelled when she felt her body being torn up. She couldn't breathe anymore because the gag was making her lose oxygen and the blood loss wasn't helping. The pendulum kept going through the center until it sliced her in half. Her body was no longer moving but her eyes were still opened in total shock.

"...Boring...I need to find a better target. Her partner will do better next time..." A sinister smile appeared on his face. "I can't wait to rape her!"

The serial killer snapped his fingers again and the pendulum stopped. He was able to push it off of the girl.

"Now, where do I put the body...hmm. I have the perfect place. Hehehehe..."