Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Panthera Noire
Collections:
Fanfiction 𝑰 Deem Worthy Of The Name, The Forest
Stats:
Published:
2020-03-27
Updated:
2024-03-03
Words:
533,809
Chapters:
73/?
Comments:
2,847
Kudos:
2,418
Bookmarks:
312
Hits:
132,362

The Adventures of Panthera Noire

Summary:

You’d think one of Paris’s heroes, Panthera Noire, would be some sort of superstar celebrity- with her confident and flirty personality. Fighting alongside Ladybug, the two woman were Paris’s idols..

However despite how much she sold it to the public, Panthera Noire was not like that, not really. Because while she was Panthera Noire to the city, for all the world knew, Juleka Couffaine was just a shy and self conscious girl, struggling to keep her secret and her family safe.

Drowning in her crush for her best friend and the responsibilities of carrying the world on her back, she only wants to survive long enough to see the romantic fairy tale happy ending she’s gotten a hope for.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes and other works inspired by this one.)

Chapter 1: Origins (1)

Summary:

The origins of Ladybug and Panthera Noire…

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Usually, the stories she read started out with some sort of charming description.

 

“Damn it damn it...“

 

Something like; it was a dark and stormy night. Or; once upon a time.

 

”Oh come on where is it...”

 

But this wasn't the story she'd chosen to be in. This was simply the one she was a part of, and like how life us- she only had this one story to tell.

 

"Where did ma even get half of this cluttered stuff? " Juleka muttered angrily to herself. Luka already had to leave, and so did her aforementioned mother, and she felt time ticking on her. She'd practically been flipped upside down in her digging when she finally found her so called 'buried treasure', if anyone could be brave enough to call it that. “There it is..!”

 

Juleka pulled herself out with a huff, and with it, her notebook. Trusty, old, duck taped together. Why the hell was it under two stolen fire hydrants..? She wondered briefly, before she hurried to grab her backpack and finally rushed out the door. She had no time to loose, Juleka couldn’t bear the idea of entering class late with everyone staring at her. Maybe no one would notice if she said nothing? 

 

It was embarrassing how late she obviously looked, as she ran through the streets of Paris. She kept her head down, hoping the passersby would ignore her. Not that such a thing was any problem. With my personality, anyone would consider me invisible.. Juleka wiped the sweat off her brow as she stopped abruptly at a light stop. She nervously looked at the small crowd around her and sighed.

 

This traffic is heavy.. I don’t know what I’m gonna do about this.. She thought to herself, before catching a familiar face waiting for the light as well. Oh. It's Marinette. Juleka thought to say hello. She even opened her mouth to, but, her jaw oh so dutifully clamped shut. Several years of the same classes together, the Dupain-Chengs even giving her mother special on the house orders- and yet- Juleka couldn't remember the last peep she said to the girl. Maybe it was cause Marinette was such a sponge for trouble.. She felt a bit bad but..

 

Her attention on her friend then dropped, as she suddenly saw an old man crossing the road, in the middle of traffic.

 

W-what the hell? What is that guy doing? Juleka could only stare in shock. And why is no one was doing anything? She wondered, but it was only a helpless stream of thoughts, as she felt like she could only watch in horror as a car sped down the road, heading right towards him.


What could she do? She wanted to reach out and help him, but she couldn’t move. Juleka was frozen solid in the crowd. This old guy was going to die! Juleka was mortified by her own cowardly behavior, but still she couldn’t stop her hand from shaking. Maybe if she closed her eyes, the smell of impending blood wouldn't reek as hard.

 

But- it was then that she saw Marinette jump forward, her box of macaroons scattered across the ground as pulled the old man onto the sidewalk, seconds before the car could hit, rolling backwards onto the sidewalk again. Juleka’s jaw dropped. Oh, oh shit. She’d known Marinette for a long time, never officially friends, but-

 

She knew Marinette. She knew who she was. And until now, she only knew Marinette as a quiet and clumsy girl, who despite the bright personality, Juleka saw the painful state of loneliness in her. Being bullied by the god awful Chloe Bourgeois didn’t help either.. but now, Juleka could only see Marinette as incredibly brave, a hero, it almost distracted Juleka from her trembling.

 

God damn.

 

She could see Marinette talking to the old man, before handing him a non crushed macaroon. He smiled, saying how delicious it was, before Marinette rushed past him. It was then that the old man stared directly at her.

 

What the-

 

He smiled softly at her before leaving, Juleka shook her head. Why couldn’t you have helped him? He probably thinks you’re some sort of jerk for not saving him.. a voice in the back of her mind whispered. Juleka began to walk again and made her way to the school. Her feet dragging.

 

What a stressful morning already, it felt like a bad omen for the rest of the day.

 

When she entered class, she saw Marinette already getting chewed out by Chloe, something about someone named.. Adrien? Seats or something.. Oh well, she didn’t care. Juleka awkwardly sat down in the back, already invisible to the entire room. Another year.. She sighed for the millionth time, while messing with her dyed hair. It was then that she could feel someone grabbing her shoulder.

 

”Juleka!” Rose grinned excitedly, before sitting down next to her- Juleka immediately felt something in her light up with glee. “I’m so excited for this new school year! I heard we’re getting a new students and everything! New friends! Isn’t that amazing!”

 

”Yeah, amazing.” Juleka smiled, she held Rose’s hand, squeezing it a bit. She prayed that Rose’s smile would dull down her guilty thoughts for now.

 

Perhaps today could be a good day. She thought hopefully.

 

She was wrong.


...

 

Adrien ran towards the school, he needed to go to class, to his freedom, but when he was climbing up the stairs, he stopped in his tracks when he heard the pitiful groans of an old man. Adrien swerved around, seeing an old man in a Hawaiian shirt collapsed on the ground and unable to reach his cane.

 

His head darted around to the school and then to the old man. Nathalie and The Gorilla was still chasing after him, the model gritted his teeth and ran inside the school. Adrien’s heart felt heavy as he walked into class, the image of the struggling man had stained his mind. I’m sorry.. he thought, when suddenly something else took his attention. 

 

”Adrikins!” A voice cut through his thoughts, he met the face of Chloe. Finally a familiar face.. She grinned, “I got you a seat next to me! Heard your daddy finally got you into school! Took him long enough!”

 

”Y-Yeah..” He said, Adrien didn’t know how long he could stay at all since his father still disapproved.. but he had to soak in as much time he had. Maybe this was better, he could finally have a chance at friends. An actual life! His eyes darted around the classroom, some meeting his gaze with either curiosity, awe, or a friendly wave. Adrien grinned. This was the start of a new life, he could feel it.

 

And soon.. the guilt of the old man was forgotten.

 

...

 

Sure, class went by alright, Juleka didn’t participate much, but she get to see who the ‘mysterious’ new student was, as it was none other than the famous model Adrien Agreste! He was surprisingly shorter than she thought in real life, but despite her eyes for someone else, she could admit that he was- in his own way charming.

 

However, She wasn’t.. well— despite her hidden desire to model, Juleka wasn’t as equally in awe like Rose. 


“He’s just so pretty in real life!” Rose shook Juleka’s shoulder in excitement.

 

”Is that so?” Juleka mumbled with a small smile. Rose had rambled on and on with excitement, however it went in one ear and out the other. Sure, it was crazy, but she wasn’t all to obsessed by it.

 

What surprised the gothic girl most was Chloe’s reaction. It was like seeing a whole different person. The bully was practically clinging to the new kid’s side, but she felt something else from her. An air of protection, and.. fear? Utter glee. She ignored it, after all it was just Chloe. The queen bee probably just wanted attention.

 

However, despite the interesting events that unfolded before her, she still felt a guilty shame inside herself. Juleka tapped her pencil impatiently on the desk, it wasn’t like her to get all riled up about this.. but she still felt horrible about not being able to do anything for that old man..

 

Juleka shook her head. It’s in the past, she told herself. Rose had whispered to her, asking if she was alright, but she shook it off, reassuring the cute girl that she just had a rough morning. And that was true, her traffic encounter did damper her mood, but it seemed like she jinxed it, as the rough morning became a rough day.

 

She was in the library when everything turned to shit. Rose wasn’t with her, but She could overhear Marinette talking with., what was her name.. Alya? Yeah Alya. Something about superheroes. The girl seemed absolutely flourishing in Marinette’s attention, and Marinette with the her. Like two peas in a pod.

 

Meanwhile, Juleka suffocated in her own silence, she wanted to say something to Marinette, maybe apologize and say how she couldn’t help the old man like her. But she was too scared. Can’t get worse..

 

As if on cue, everything had turned upside down, which started due to a certain.. oh.. just a simple... giant rock monster, that was a creature born out of the heartbreak of her classmate, bursting into the principal’s office.

 

Larger than life.

 

Beyond reality.

 

Fantastical.

 

Unreal.

 

When the giant monster, Stoneheart was it’s name, had went in a different direction, she grabbed her bag and immediately Juleka had ran for her life. News reports shook screens everywhere. Despite her own awe and shock, panic still won over her as she booked it home. What was she gonna do? Was Luka safe? How did this happen?

 

She skidded to a stop when she saw a familiar figure. The old man. He was collapsed on the ground, debris laying on his leg. People ran past him like he was nothing. Juleka felt fear fill her again. Would she fail to do anything again?

 

Juleka hardened herself, biting back her fears as she rushed towards the old man. She grabbed onto the rock and pulled it off him. Her hands were still shaking.

 

”Are you okay?! I’m so sorry I didn’t help you sooner..” She frantically asked, the old man looked up at her and smiled, his face was gentle as he slowly stood up, Juleka noticed that he was now limping. “I was too scared to save you this morning,, I could only watch..”

 

”Thank you for saving me young lady,” He said, cutting her off with a strangely calm voice for a guy who nearly got crushed by a hunk of cement. He chuckled. “..as for this morning, I do not remember you failing to save me. Perhaps it’s my old failing memory”

 

Juleka sighed in relief, before another roar from Stoneheart interrupted her thoughts. She turned, eyes widening as She saw the hulking Beast around the corner. The ground shaking with his ever step.

 

“I cannot run with this leg..” She could hear the man behind her mutter.

 

Quickly, Juleka grabbed the man’s wrist and pulled him to safety, he wouldn’t be able to run with his leg injury, so she brought him to a cafe along with multiple other citizens. It was a crowded shelter but it would make due. She needed to assure his safety.

 

”Thank you for your courage.” He said, holding onto her hands sincerely. “if you ever need guidance on anything young lady, then my healing shop is always open for tea” he added kindly before heading inside. Juleka smiled, before she ran for home.

 

However without her realizing, the old guardian smiled and then walked completely fine into the cafe with no limp, after adding.. well.. an extra weight to the young lady’s backpack.


...

 

Juleka ran back to her mother’s boat house, clambering on as her anxiety failed to shut up.

 

”Mom?” She exclaimed, panting as she looked inside.

 

”I’m here! This blasted news has been shouting about this monster on every channel!” Anarka spat angrily, before looking at her and softening “Are you okay?”

 

”Y-Yeah I’m fine mom, where’s Luka?” She asked frantically, Anarka’s face twisted in fear.

 

”Is he not with you?” 


Uh no.

 

Anarka inhaled sharply, and her lips pulled into a tight smile.

 

”Juleka why don’t you go to your room." She said, as if that would make her feel better. "I’ll figure something out, I’m the captain of this ship after all, do your homework or somethin', take your mind off, I’ll find him”

 

Juleka nodded, and rushed to her room. Juleka panicked a bit, before texting Rose.

 

Juleka: Are you okay??

 

There was a pause

 

Rose<3: Y-yeah I’m okay!

Rose<3: My mom’s really scared though so I’m staying home

Rose<3: Are you okay??

 

Juleka sighed with relief

 

Juleka: I’m okay, got back to the boathouse. 
Juleka: stay safe. 

 

She thought about sending a heart but quickly chickened out. Just friends.. She reminded herself.

 

Juleka sighed, laying her phone down. This was crazy this was crazy. Real life monsters. This was just like some comic or show.

 

She looked at her backpack. I should work on something.. she told herself, before digging through it. Juleka needed to pass the time to release her stress.

 

That's when.. she pulled out something that wasn’t hers. Juleka blinked in confusion, as she held up the nicely carved box. 

 

”W-What’s this doing here?” She muttered, staring at it. Juleka looked around before slowly opening it. Inside it was a ring, it was quite beautiful, but it didn’t answer her multiple questions they flew through her head. That’s when she was met with a bright green light.

 

When it faded, Juleka’s eyes fluttered open and was met with the sight of.. what the fuck was she looking at? Floating above the ring, was a small alien like creature, it opened its eyes and yawned.

 

“W-What the fuuu..” Juleka had almost fainted on the spot. The creature had took notice of her presence, 

 

”It sure has been a while since I’ve been chosen for someone- I’m Plagg, a Kwami, nice to meet you” The creature, Plagg, then spun around her room. “You sure are girly for someone with your aesthetic- though I can super work with this goth get up. Ohohhoho I’m getting fun ideas already- hey can you eat this?”

 

”I-I’m Julek- Hey stop that..!”

 

He then began chewing at whatever he saw, questioning its ediblity. Juleka snapped out of her dazed position, she quickly grabbed the ring from its box and shoved it into her pocket, before frantically ran after him.

 

”W-wait! Stop it!” She exclaimed, desperately trying to grab the weird thing... Kwami.? The weird creature was yapping something about cheese and asking outloud how she got all of this junk.

 

When He started to chew on a small bracelet Rose gave her, Juleka finally snatched him by his small torso, holding him down.

 

”W-What the hell are you?” It looked at her with a raised.. well it didn’t have eyebrows.. but he looked at her like he raised an eyebrow.

 

”I just said, I’m a kwami- Practically a god, now let me go!” He snapped, before flying out of her hands. “I grant the powers of destruction to people who my guardian thinks are worthy of my powers, now can I please eat something? Specifically cheese? I’m starving!”

 

Juleka looked around, trying to stop her trembling hands. Kwami? Power? Guardian? God? Cheese??

 

”This has gotta be a joke..” She paled

 

”Jeez you look like you saw a ghost!” Plagg laughed before looking at her concerned. “Come on! Do you have some cheese? That’ll make you feel better! Then we can get to making you into a superhero!”

 

Juleka’s eyes widened.

 

”A-A what!?”

 

”Juleka, my little pirate!” Anarka suddenly opened the door, Plagg had flown into her hair making her squeak. “I’m gonna go try and find yer brother right now! I need you to keep our ship anchored!”

 

”Y-Yes Mom, aye aye.” She sputtered, Anarka gave her a look before leaving. Plagg appeared again into her vision.

 

”That was close! Your mom can’t know I exist! Or anyone for that matter!” The cat warned, flying in front of her, with his arms crossed

 

”No one huh..” she murmured

 

”By the way your mom’s all piratey! Weird! Although I’ve met some pirates myself! Black Beard made a fine cat! Now come on! I wanna go eat something!” He added with enthusiasm, Juleka didn’t know what to do.

 

Seems she had no choice though, so She sheepishly went to the kitchen, the creature following excitedly.

 

When she presented him with Swiss cheese, he expressed annoyedly that he liked Camembert better but that it would do. He was a small little thing, but devoured it in one bite. Juleka watched in curiosity as she drank some water. What was he..? He said a Kwami but that doesn’t answer anything.. 

 

He burped rudely before looking back up at her.

 

”Now! About making you into a super hero!” Plagg spoke up. She almost spat out her drink.

 

”N-No way.! I’m n-no hero! I’m barely visible to people.. I’m just shy.. no name.. Juleka Couffaine..” Juleka insisted, before lowering into more mumbles. Her voice died the more she convinced herself of the truth..

 

“Yeah! But we can change that really quickly! Besides,, no one should know your identity anyways for superheroes!” Plagg said, flying in front of her obscured face.

 

It was then, that the T.V had grabbed their attention. Stoneheart was on the news, throwing a police car at some people. She saw Roger, Sabrina’s dad get toppled, and she swore she saw his arm crack horribly.

 

KIM!!” Stoneheart roared, Juleka began to shake again. Oh god, the fact that this was reality hit her. Plagg flew around her head.

 

”So?” He asked mischievously.

 

”I-..” Juleka suddenly froze, as she saw familiar figures on the news. The new girl Alya was biking after the giant golem, but with a closer look, she also so her brother trapped in a farther building, along with other people.

 

It suddenly collapsed, as the monster rumbled the earth, The camera immediately switched but she found herself rushing towards the tv. “Luka.!”

 

”What’s wrong?” Plagg exclaimed

 

”My brother! I saw him on tv! He’s trapped.!” She sobbed to the creature, she couldn’t focus. Plagg swirled around the house muttering frantically before coming back.

 

”Are you sure?! Ah fuck it who cares if or if not- Okay I have a plan! If we can find the Ladybug Miraculous holder we can defeat that monster together with them and restore the city with her Miraculous Cure!” He explained “if your brother’s hurt then he- along with everyone else- plus the collateral damage.. will be cured and healed!”

 

”Then can’t we just leave it to the Ladybug?” Juleka asked. Plagg shook his head.

 

”Nah, they’ll need your help- The ladybug and Cat miraculous are yin and yang to each other! They’re usually only chosen or activated at the same time for balance purposes. I’m choosing you to be my new kitty Juleka, which means you’ll need to support the ladybug newbie if you want them to use that cure!” Plagg said. Juleka stared at him, before glancing at the screen.

 

I need to protect my family, and the people I care about.. She told herself, before standing up.

 

”What do I need to do?” Juleka finally spoke up, she couldn’t destroy the quivering in her voice, but she didn’t need to hide the fire in her eyes. Plagg grinned.

 

”I can transform you into a super hero, to transform me you’ve gotta say ‘Plagg Claws Out!’” Plagg explained, “and to detransform.. you say ‘Plagg Claws In!’”

 

Juleka nodded, to be honest she was more scared than excited. She remembered day dreaming as a child, wanting to become a super hero and imaging how fun it’d be to live just like her comics, but now she was terrified to do anything.

 

”Your special power is Cataclysm! It’ll destroy anything you touch, however you can only use it once every transformation!” Plagg continued, he circled around her, before digging himself into her pocket and pulling out the shiny ring. “You have a time limit after that, five or so minutes, before you detransform automatically. I’ll need a recharge to continue on after that” he finished, placing the ring in her hands.

 

Juleka took in a deep breath, before nodding. She carefully slipped on the ring, it pulsed with power around her finger. she stared at the kwami one last time before yelling.

 

Plagg Claws Out.!

 

...

 

In seconds, Juleka was already dashing across the city scape. She grabbed her staff and swung it forward, it extended across two buildings like a bridge and she jumped onto it.

 

Her legs trembled as she attempted to balance and grinned wildly at her new found strength and agility. Her heart was pumping.

 

God. Never before had she ever felt so alive.

 

Rolling against the concrete roofs, and then leaping what felt like hundreds of feet in the air without no restraint— it was like everything had released. Everything felt powerful. Her muscles pumped with energy, and she grinned. Juleka never wanted this feeling of just raw excitement to leave.

 

Sure.. She sort of looked like some hot topic super hero, but she felt happy. In fact, she found her costume charming.

 

Lace wrapped around her arms and stopped at her wrists, where she wore fingerless gloves that went to around to the middle of her bicep. Her dull fingernails turned into newly painted claws, sharp and eager to make her go slicing.

 

An unzipped, sleeveless leather jacket with a hood and holes inside for her new cat ears to poke out of, was worn comfortably around her, plus Her shoes were molded into a cat paw design. So... Plagg being a cat seemed to not be just a ‘thing’, but an entire motif. Cool. She could work with that. 

 

Though she didn’t really acknowledge it at the moment, but she also had a long studded belt that extended to her knees that whipped around like a tail. Really emo. Hella awesome.

 

Underneath everything was a sleek black suit that covered her torso with black cargo pants with silver zippers. While looking at her new duds, Juleka noticed the new glimmering cat bell that hung around her neck with a bit of confusion, before ringing it endearingly. 

 

”I could get used to this..” She grinned, when suddenly she heard someone screaming. Juleka looked up, to find a screaming girl dressed in a red and black suit falling towards her. Juleka stood in shock, failing to dodge the body, they both toppled off her thin pole.

 

The yoyo, that girl somehow was swinging with, almost wrapped around her but Juleka flipped in mid air and fell onto the pavement instead. Holy shit.

 

She was pretty sure that her pole really high up, and a fall like that should’ve broke her bones. Looks like I have some durability.. that’s good. She thought to herself, as she stood to her feet.

 

”..m sorry sorry sorry I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to hurt you.!” The person who toppled her exclaimed,  Juleka looked at the new figure before her. The poor girl was wrapped up upside down in her yo yo. Beside the very skin tight ladybug super suit and mask, they looked.. very familiar.

 

”You must be the Ladybug Miraculous my Kwami told me about, looks like we’re partners..” Juleka spoke, pulling the girl back to the ground. “you had a pretty rough landing.”

 

”O-Oh Right..! I’m sorry..” Her new partner apologized again. Juleka’s ears flattened, (oh shit they move.!) she felt bad, but she soon smiled again.

 

”Don’t worry, I’m pretty tough” Juleka smiled, with an added wink. Wait. Did I just wink at her? That‘s weird. Juleka had never talked to anyone like that before. Even when she was most comfortable, she couldn’t bother being.. flirty? No, not flirty.. more like.. playful.

 

Maybe it was her new powers? She did feel oddly powerful in this. Maybe a little confident even. Juleka shook off her own shock. She stood tall and posed a friendly grin “What’s your name?” She asked.

 

”I’m Ma-“ The girl paused, struggling to pull her yo-yo down. “Ma.. uh Ma-“ suddenly Juleka felt the yo-yo fall on her face, she yelled out in pain, rubbing her head, luckily it brought down her staff. “M-madly clumsy.. sorry”

 

”Madly Clumsy? That’s an awfully funny name” Juleka joked, raising an eyebrow. She felt happy, maybe even mischievous in her own way. She had never been able to act like this before.

 

”Uh.. I mean.. I don’t have any code name yet or anything..” The ladybug superhero shyly said. Jeez.. now that I’m so seen.. I hope I’m not too intimidating.. my clothes are pretty punk and.. wait code name?

 

Juleka then recalled back to her Plagg’s warning about identities.

 

“Oh I forgot about that. Well I guess you should figure your name out then.. You can take your time with it since we’re both new though, but you can call me..” She fell silent, messing with her dyed hair. What should I call myself..

 

She snapped her fingers.

 

“..Panthera Noire!” Juleka offered confidently, flipping her bangs out of her face. “Rings nicely doesn’t it?”

 

Suddenly, a loud rumble interrupted their thoughts. Juleka watched in horror as another building toppled down. Any building could hurt her friends and family. Juleka bit back her fear as she rushed forward, she immediately scaled the building and was about to leap across the structures.

 

”W-Where are you going?!” Her new partner cried, Juleka turned around.

 

”To save Paris and the people I care about!” She shouted back

 

Ladybug stared at her with wide, awed eyes. Juleka smiled.

 

“Aren’t you as well?” She asked, before taking her leave, grinning as she heard the ladybug close behind. 

...

 

It seemed Juleka arrived at the scene on time, as she saw Stoneheart running after Kim, roaring in anger. She looked down at the tremendous height she would fall and with a deep breath, she leaped down onto the field and swung Kim out of the way of being crushed.

 

She stood up shakily. Holy shit I just did that.. Juleka looked towards Kim, who stared at her in awe and terror before running. Juleka looked up, some of her other classmates were here as well, watching in horror at the scene.

 

”Shouldn’t you pick on someone your own size?” She yelled, before dodging another slam. Her head screamed for her to run, but she found herself high off the adrenaline instead. Her muscles aching but still bursting with energy.

 

However, despite having the craziest time of her life, it was nearly impossible to fight back alone. 


Juleka stumbled back, before jumping onto the Beast’s arm and attempting to smash its head in. She front flipped off of him, almost laughing about how much more daring she was with her agility, before paling in horror that Stoneheart only grew bigger.

 

”Damn it.!” She yelled, as she retreated back more and more, the earth shaking as Stoneheart continued his attack. Somewhere along, she dropped her staff, causing her to become more frantic.

 

He grunted angrily, then suddenly picked up a large metal goal post, and threw it at her. Juleka couldn’t move, her eyes widened. Her heart was pounding out of chest, as she felt as if time had slowed down as the goal slowly came closer and closer

 

That’s when she remembered her power. Juleka’s hands were trembling.

 

She had to..!

 

Juleka lifted up her hand towards the goal.

 

C-Cataclysm.!” She screamed. Her claws pulsed with a black energy. It was icky and almost a vibrant purple, as a gust wind had pushed against her- disheveling her long hair.

 

The goal collided into her hand, but before she could be crushed by it, the metal cracked at her touch and it corroded into dust within a matter of seconds. Juleka wheezed, the adrenaline was slowing down, and she felt her life flash before her eyes.

 

Five minutes..! Her timer.. She only had about.. her ring started to beep at her. 


“S-Shit.!” 

 

“Looks like your time is almost up..” The monster growled, approaching her menacingly. Juleka dodged another blow. Panic spread through her as she realized she was still completely alone.

 

”P-Partner where are you?!” She screamed, all of her confidence had drained away. “Partn-“

 

Juleka was then grappled in the giant’s fist. He began to slowly crush her within his hand. Pain bubbled out of her throat, whilst she screamed in agony

 

She couldn’t pay attention in the next moments, there was only the constructing grasp of Stoneheart. All alone-

 

Suddenly, she was pulled back into the air and onto the ground.

 

Juleka took in the fresh air with big gulps, before looking up and seeing the worried gaze of the spotted hero.

 

”I’m sorry I took so long.. I was scared of messing up.. but I’m here now.” The newbie said. Juleka hissed in pain, this would leave bruises..wait did I just hiss?

 

”N-No sweat, though I guess you couldn’t bear to see me alone” Juleka smirked, standing up, when did I get so smug? I literally was getting crushed to death five seconds ago She thought. “We still gotta finish up the iron giant over here though..”

 

The red hero shook her head ”Not like this.. he grows every time he gets hurt- so we need to deal with this some other way” Her partner spoke thoughtfully, the ground rumbled with every step Stoneheart took. 


“I only have five minu-“ her ring beeped “.. make that four minutes left before I loose my powers, I had to avoid getting crushed by that goal.”

 

”Up to me then..”

 

Her partner was lost in thought, this finally gave Juleka some time to look at her fellow hero. The fact that she looked so familiar irked her to no end. She really shouldn’t try and figure her partner’s identity out, but her screaming intuition didn’t help.

 

”I’ll try and use my powers then” Her partner spoke up, before lifting her arm “Lucky Charm!” A bright light flashed in front of Juleka, she had almost hissed in response. Again?! Do I just hiss now? She didn’t have time to think about it as Her partner lifted up a.. scuba suit?

 

”Right.. nice power.. so what are we doing?” Juleka deadpanned. We’re fucked.

 

“My kwami told me we have to find and break the object that the akuma is hiding in.. whatever that is..” Her partner said, suddenly her partner got a funny look on her face, swerving around and staring at certain objects. “It’s in his right hand, we won’t open it, it’s gotta be in there!”

 

Juleka looked around them. Absolute chaos, just how her mom liked it. She could see the cowering figures of her classmates, staring at her in awe. She took in a deep breath, then exhaled. She nodded to the shorter girl.

 

”Alright I trust you, what’s your plan?”

 

The other girl stared at Juleka, before grinning. Hastily, she stuck a hose on the ground into the scuba suit and suddenly wrapped her yo-yo around Juleka’s legs.

 

”Eh?”

 

”Thank you for trusting me Panthera Noire!” Her partner said, as Juleka was suddenly flung through the air by her feet. She screamed in horror as she was thrown at the hulking rock monster. Stoneheart grabbed her again midair. 


“What the hell is your plan!?” Juleka exclaimed.

 

”Catch me if you can!” Her teammate’s voice echoed through her thoughts. 

 

Juleka watched as in a matter of seconds, the monster dropped an object from his hand to grab her partner’s flying body. She winced, as she saw the creaking stone hand caught her.

 

”Alya the tab!” Her partner yelled. The reporter girl far away had ran to the end of the hose and turned the water on full blast. The monster’s hand released in surprise as the scuba suit inflated.

 

Juleka smiled, she was in absolute awe as her partner jumped out of the Stoneheart’s grip and crushed the.. Akuma? Yeah that’s what it was called. A small black butterfly fluttered out of it and into the sky.

 

The hopeful feeling of inspiration was familiar..

 

Suddenly, with a burst of purple, Juleka landed hard on the ground, across from her was a normal Ivan. She dusted herself off as her ring started to beep again.

 

”Shit.. barely two minutes left.” She muttered, as she turned to see her partner consoling Ivan.. as she somehow knew her classmate’s name?

 

The cogs in her brain started to turn, but before she could make a conclusion, Alya had ran up to her team mate, begging for an interview.

 

”..Are you going to protect Paris from now on? How’d you two get your powers? Did you get stung by a radioactive ladybug?!” Alya exclaimed, holding her phone up in front of her. Juleka couldn’t help but shrink back, she felt.. ignored. 

 

Regardless if I’m a super hero or a boring girl I’m still invisible.. She cursed to herself.

 

“I’ve just got a ton of questions to ask you Miss.. uh Miss..” Alya blabbered on before looking at her partner with a waiting gaze, The ladybug hero looked at Juleka desperately, She raised an eyebrow and motioned to the camera.

 

”Well partner, don’t leave her hanging” Juleka grinned weakly. Despite her awe and pride in her partner, Juleka couldn’t help feeling sad, maybe disappointed.

 

Maybe if I was stronger..

 

She ignored her guilty thoughts, before looking up supportingly at her teammate. 

 

“Ladybug, you can call me Ladybug!” Her partner grinned, before swinging away. Juleka sighed a bit, before remembering.

 

”W-Wait Ladybug! You’ve gotta use your,. Oh never mind.” Juleka’s voice died.

 

You can remind her next time to use her cure, it's possible she doesn't even know what it is. But then again, I’m not sure if her cure will fix the damages that happened specifically now if we wait though. She eased herself softly, thinking over it.

 

But what if- Luka still might be hurt. She panicked. Juleka still didn’t know what happened to her older brother, as fear started to overwhelm her again. Her eyes squeezed shut. Calm down,, you don’t know that yet..

 

Her ring beeped again, one more minute left.! She had to get out of her before-

 

”Wait Miss Panthera Noire I’ve got questions for you too!” Alya exclaimed. Juleka’s eyes widened. 

 

”M-Me?” Alya nodded excitedly. She nervously looked at her ring and then the reporter. Her heart swelled, before she smiled confidently again “U-Uh- ahem.. I don’t got the time right now, but I promise miss.. civilian that I’ll get you a private interview soon!”

 

Alya squealed in delight, as Jule- no, Panthera Noire leaped out of the stadium. Her heart was beating so fast, She barely had time to land as she detransformed. Her hair blew in the wind, as she stared down at her ring. Her heart still pumping as Plagg flew around her.

 

”Good job Kitten! A successful first mission!” Plagg said, before grinning “I think I deserve my Camembert cheese for this!”

 

”Sure Plagg..” Juleka smiled, and for once, she felt proud of herself. 


“I mean, you held that guy single handedly and you were super brave” Plagg complimented.

 

”R-Really?” Juleka grinned. Plagg pat her head and nodded.

 

“Sure! Ehhh but hey wait, I gotta ask, did you see if Ladybug captured the akuma?”

 

...

 

When Juleka rushed home, she barely beat her mom and Luka, as she leaped back into her room through the window. She quickly faked doing homework and was met with Luka coming in along with her mom.

 

”Ahoy Juleka! We’re back! I found her brother with a rescue team!” Anarka smiled.

 

”Luka you’re okay!” She exclaimed, hugging her brother tightly. “Oh thank god you’re alive, I saw you in a collapsed building on the news and I was fucking terrified you jerk.!” she punched his shoulder slightly.

 

He laughed, he was a little scraped up, but he was in one piece. He parted the hair from her face.

 

”I’m glad I’m okay too- Did you see those new heroes? Apparently their names are Ladybug and Panthera Noir” He mentioned. Juleka nodded. Of course I know, I’m one of them.. she replied in her head.

 

He couldn’t know. No one could. For their own safety.

 

”I can’t believe super heroes exist now..” she spoke, Luka nodded tiredly. 

 

”It’s been a long day.. I’m gonna go rest in my room for now” He smiled weakly, ruffling her hair.

 

”I’ll get yer dinner started” Anarka grinned, waving a spoon like a sword. She smiled, she was happy. They’re here and both alive..

 

But as the family parted, Juleka’s smile dropped, as guilt washed over her again. She remembered the stomach twisting memory.

 

“..Did you see if Ladybug captured the Akuma?”

 

”Capture the akuma?” Juleka’s eyes widened. Plagg’s expression dropped, he groaned

 

”Dang it, did Tikki not tell her chosen one what to do?” Plagg said, “Akuma’s can multiply! If they aren’t captured and purified by Ladybug, they can infect other people! Plus, if that Ivan guy gets akumatized again- he’ll be able to control whoever’s infected! It’ll be an army of stone people!”

 

Juleka didn’t need to see the tv as the multiple rock monsters appeared all over the news broadcast. This wasn’t over.

 

She gripped her ring tightly. She needed to save the city. To keep her family safe. To keep Rose safe. For this mission wasn’t a success.

 

So much for a first day of school.. she thought, as she turned back to her room

 

Panthera Noire had to be brave. Because if she faltered for a single moment, she felt as if her world would collapse. This wasn’t just superheroes and villains. This was more, she could feel it. She could only ask. What’s going on..

 

...

 

Ladybug, you can call me Ladybug!” Adrien watched in awe at the super hero on his computer. Oh god she was incredible.

 

”Ladybug.. her name is Ladybug!” He was definitely a fan now. Whoever’s behind that mask, she must be incredible.. he thought happily, his father finally let him go to school, and he despite being attacked by a giant rock monster during the day, he was happy.

 

Super heroes! Friends! Something other then the empty halls of his mansion!

 

He looked happily at his computer, before following the Ladyblog with a click.

 

Notes:

3/27/2020

Hi I hope you enjoyed this first chapter! This is gonna be on going, and I’ll try to connect episodes together but thanks to our little switch of roles here, there will be differences. I hope to keep this chapters long so sorry if updates don’t come much, I have a lot of other Ongoing fics and the i gotta work on school work at home due to the you know what virus.
Oh yeah! And if you want to see the Juleka design by GinjaNinjaOwo that inspired this whole fic, though I’ve made my own design now so not to copy, a link to the original artist’s Twitter is right here: https://twitter.com/ActuallyRea/status/1240323879664603136?s=20
Rea’s art inspired me to write this whole fic based on the Juleka with the cat premise she’s really cool. Go support her. She’s like, my hero.

 

9/16/23
Heyyyy so uh. This is the first chapter of a very long fic as you might tell and I started this when I was first learning how to write. So as the writer now on chapter.. 71 currently as I make this lil updated notes- I'll be honest and tell you it's gonna take a bit for the quality to go up. I uh- it's-I was learning a lot!! SJelkeslkjese
But.. I just wanna thank you for giving this a shot and I hope if you continue to read, you'll see what this fic has to offer! I love this fic. I've loved writing every word, and I hope that if you're here and starting out this somewhat saga- then- I hope you enjoy it too.
Also follow me on my tumblr https://www.tumblr.com/justanotherpersonsuniverse if you wanna see actually updated art especially on Panthera's design lol.

Chapter 2: Origins (2)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Juleka didn’t sleep soundly that night, maybe it was the fact that she could suddenly see suspiciously way better in the dark now, maybe it was the fact that every time she close her eyes she’d hear Plagg’s snoring body, or maybe it was the guilt of the previous day.

 

Luka ended up skipping work, turned out he actually sprained his leg horribly, and refused to tell anyone until he woke up and failed to fake his healthiness. He didn’t mind but when she left, he saw her look at her worriedly.

 

”Come home soon, not sure how long I’ll be able to last with Mom..” He joked. I did this.. Juleka thought guiltily, as she headed to school. She had snuck more cheese into a bag for later, however she couldn’t afford any Camembert.. much to her Kwami’s dismay.

 

”Did your mom seriously spent all of her money on a boat.. when you could easily live in a house.?” He asked, Juleka rolled her eyes. 

 

”Her whole motto is that pure chaos is the only life” Juleka mumbled, Plagg huffed.

 

”Can’t argue with that but still.. if I eat another piece of cheap cheese I’m gonna puke.!” Plagg yelled angrily before sighing “I’ve seen the way you look at yourself in the mirror, Juleka. If you wanna be a model, do it. It’ll give you enough money to buy Camembert?”

 

”Plagg!” She snapped, the kwami shrugged.

 

Juleka continued her walk to school, when she got to the main entrance, a tall figure entered her view.

 

Ivan. He was staring up at the school in fear. Right.. he was the monster. Juleka stared at him from the gate, as people pushed past her, many avoiding the giant brute, whispering.

 

“Isn’t that Stoneheart?”

 

“Oh god it’s him..”

 

“Dude my cousin got hospitalized cause of this dude..”

 

Juleka watched him tremble, she felt sad for the poor dude. She wasn’t sure what happened that made him into the beast, but still. She didn’t know what to do, until a familiar figure caught her attention.

 

“Who’s that?” Plagg asked, Juleka made a hushing motion, he sighed, before flying into her pocket to hide.

 

Quietly, she walked up behind Rose, who was waiting near the school entrance.

 

Juleka was silent, before She leaned close to her friend’s ear. 

 

”Hey Rose-“

 

”AGH!” The shorter girl squeaked, before turning around and grinning “Juleka! I didn’t see you there!”

 

”..You didn’t see me.. behind you?” Juleka smiled, standing up straight again. Rose giggled. That laugh was enough.

 

“Sorry, I was.. just looking at.. you know..” The blonde started, her eyes adverting away.

 

The goth girl frowned a bit, as Rose looked towards Ivan. Juleka followed her gaze. Ah I see.. she thought.

 

”It's crazy how that all happened. Do you think it's gonna happen again? Where he turns all... monstery?” Rose asked nervously. Juleka bit her lip, she rubbed her miraculous ring uncomfortably. Then he’ll have the ability to control all of the rock monsters that was created by the akuma, according to Plagg.. She answered in her head. Her eyebrows furrowed with sympathy. Ivan must be so scared.

 

”I-I think.. I’m gonna go talk to him...” She decided, she began walking up to her classmate. Her heart thumping in her chest. When she was right behind him, she could see that he was trembling. Juleka looked over to Rose who had worry plastered across her face.

 

I’ve got to be careful about this.. She thought.

 

“Uh.. Hey Ivan,” Juleka greeted, she stood to him and patted him on the shoulder. Ivan flinched, before looking at her. His eyes wide. 

 

”H-Hey?” He spoke. "You're, in my class."

 

”Yeah. Uh. How’d you uh, do on the homework yesterday? It was a doozey wasn't it..” She asked nonchalantly. He.. looked like he was beginning to calm down, even starting to walk towards the school with her. This was good progress. Just treat him like a person.. and not someone who almost crushed you yesterday..


“A-Ah, not that.. good.” He mumbled. Rose had ran after them, a brave smile worn.

 

”Don’t worry Ivan! It was really tough!” Rose grinned. Juleka sighed, giving Rose a grateful smile. The tiny girl nodded to her. 

 

”R-Really huh? I didn’t have much time to do it cause.. cause uh..” Ivan’s expression dropped again, his walking started to slow. Juleka panicked.

 

”H-Hey don’t worry about it dude, I was busy last night too, I was with my brother, and he kept distracting me with his guitar- we all get a little distracted..” She quickly said, a whole ass lie but still. Ivan looked up slightly.

 

”Your brother?” Ivan asked shyly. Curious. Juleka realized in that moment she'd barely talked to Ivan ever. She knew him, big kid who'd stomp down the halls but, there was a strange gentle shyness she never knew about. She always assumed he was just some, scary dude. Huh.

 

”Y-Yeah! His name is Luka, he’s this big music freak- but.. I guess so am I!” Juleka chuckled. Rose smiled, nodding.

 

”You’re not a freak Juleka- but you and your brother’s music is great!” Rose exclaimed, Juleka hid her dark blush under her hair. Rose turned to Ivan, “Do you know how to play any instruments Ivan?”

 

Ivan brightened, and sat down on a bench. A smile began to stretch across his face and there was a real glow going about him. Juleka liked that look on his face. She liked how it felt to help. He looked happier. And that made her.. happy.

 

”Y-Yeah actually.. I’m not.. the best at singing but I like the-!“ 

 

“Hey there’s the Stoneheart!”

 

Fucking damn it. Juleka swerved around, trying to hide her murder glare under her bangs, as she saw a group of their classmates walk towards Ivan, who went from happy to miserable again.

 

There went all her effort. She leaned against the wall, despite her classmates’ amazement at the brute, saying how cool he was as a rock monster, Ivan could only weakly reply apologies upon apologies upon apologies... fuck.

 

She could see from far away, that Mylene was trying to avoid his gaze. Juleka tried to cheer him up at some point, saying he was amazing, but that didn’t help either. She sighed, Rose looked at her worriedly. Juleka’s gaze traveled across the rest of the courtyard. She saw Marinette and Alya walk in chatting. She rose an eyebrow as she saw Marinette’s fallen expression. 

 

In the name of overhearing, She thanked god for the fact that Alya was loud.

 

”-Ladyblog, bringing you all the latest news about the coolest superheroes, Ladybug!” Alya exclaimed, pushing her phone is Marinette’s face. Juleka frowned. Forgotten again, she thought But I guess this makes sense. Ladybug did do better..

 

Marinette spoke something she couldn’t hear, that resulted in Alya saying-

 

“Of course I didn’t forget Panthera Noire! I’ve got a whole page that’s gonna be dedicated for her! I just didn’t have any ideas for the site name for the both of them though” Alya shouted, as if Marinette were being ridiculous “I’ve got so many questions to ask her!”

 

Juleka smiled a little. That was encouraging. She made a mental note to check the website.

 

“How awesome is that?! Check out the number of views since I posted the video!” Alya grinned. She couldn’t hear anything else they were saying, but watched carefully as the reporter walked close to Marinette and said something. Juleka smiles, as she saw confidence fill Marinette’s face.

 

That smile immediately dropped, as she saw Marinette look straight at the group. Juleka glanced back at Ivan, who somehow looked worse than he did five minutes ago, there were more people now crowding him, and asking him more questions.

 

”I’m sorry.. I wasn’t myself..” He spoke softly, but no one seemed to hear. Juleka felt a deep remorse. I’m sorry you feel invisible dude, I get it.. she thought, but she couldn’t speak up.

 

”Tch. Once a Stoneheart, always a Stoneheart.” A voice spat. They all looked up to see Chloe. The bourgeois bitch in all of her glory. Ivan growled, his face twisting in anger. Shit shit. He stood up and stomped away. No no no. Chloe shouted as he left- “Don’t hit the door on your way out!” 

 

Juleka’s stomach dropped. She turned to stare at Chloe, but Alya had already ran over.

 

”How could you say that.?!” Alya yelled, her face burning with anger “You’re the real Stoneheart here, Chloe.!”

 

”Oh? Is that right? I’m the one who broke Sabrina’s dad’s arm huh?” Chloe spat, her eyes narrowing. The class cringed. “I’m just getting back at the brute who hurt her dad alright? So lay off!”

 

”You still can’t say things like that Chloe it’s horrible.!” Alya continued, the blonde rose an eyebrow.

 

”Just because you were lucky and your shakey camera footage got on the news, doesn’t mean you’re as heroic as those lame super heroes in the lame clothing” Chloe popped a bubblegum in Alya’s face. Juleka grimaced from the side. Jeez, thanks for the fashion compliment Chloe she thought.

 

Alya was practically seething, Marinette stood frozen behind her.

 

”You little..”

 

”Look out, she's angry! She's going to split her underwear and turn into a huge muscly monster!” Chloe teased brashly, before her face darkened, and a leering smirk went across her tweaked lips, “You wouldn’t want that, would you?” 

 

Alya huffed, before walking off. Juleka sighed. Well.. that could’ve gone better. Rose put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. She smiled.

 

”Thanks Rose,”

 

Finally, Adrien appeared, which was much to the delight of Chloe, and they all went to class. It was a blur mostly, Marinette showed up late. There was a whole disagreement between Adrien and her about who put gum and her chair- and they started to take attendance. 


Juleka tried to ignore the upset feeling in her chest as the day began to weigh on her. She needed to do something about the rock creatures later. Should she cataclysm them? Would that effect the people inside? How would she contact Ladybug?

 

All of these questions swirled in her head relentlessly.

 

Then.. it appeared. 

 

“Ivan Bruel?” 

 

The door was smashed open, as the hulking rock monster of her nightmares that night emerged from the dust. Juleka suppressed a scream, people were already bounding out of their seats.

 

”PRESENT..!” Stoneheart roared, his unhuman shape shifting- and now- bulldozing through the screaming classroom. “-MYYYLEEEEEENE!?” 

 

She remembered mournfully of the sight of Ivan’s trembling before school. He was somewhere in there, but he wasn’t himself. He was the monster Stoneheart now. She needed to defeat him to save both him and Paris. But her expression screwed.

 

Wait, why did he scream for Mylene? Why Mylene? She wondered. But it was hard to think, as Stoneheart tore up the room before making his way towards Mylene and snatching her up into his rocky palms. The girl's face paled.

 

“Let go of me Ivan.!” Mylene screamed

 

”It’s not Ivan anymore.. it’s Stoneheart!” He roared. Mylene looked like she was on the verge of tears.

 

”Why are you doing this..!?” She cried, struggling to break free.

 

”So you and I can be together forever.!”

 

Oh, oh. Juleka stumbled back, turning to run as she heard Mylene’s screech of fear, as her classmate was quickly scooped up in Stoneheart’s grasp. She dove behind a back desk, along with Kim, Alix, and Max. Wait- where’s Rose? 

 

“R-Rose?!” She yelled, as she continued to watch in horror as Stoneheart then turned to Chloe and snatched her as well. Watching the two girls being taken away made something in Juleka crack, the shrieks bled into her ears as she quaked.

 

If she was Panthera Noire, she wouldn’t feel this way.. right? But she was Juleka. Juleka was shaking, where was Rose? Was she okay?! Her thoughts cleared for a moment, when Stoneheart broke through the wall. It was such an explosion it's like her own train of thought flew off it's tracks.

 

"Let's follow, come on!" Alya shouted.

 

”Uh… Oh, no. You go. I'm finding myself a safe place to hide!” Marinette said, Juleka watched as Alya rose an eyebrow.

 

”You’re gonna miss Ladybug in action!” Marinette looked.. sad? She picked Alya’s bag and held it out to her.

 

”You and Ladybug will both be better off without me..!” Marinette exclaimed, stretching the bag out to her expectantly. To Juleka’s surprise, Alya shrugged and ran out the door, completing ignoring the bag.

 

”If you say so! SEE YA!-”

 

”W-Wait! Alya your bag!” Marinette yelled, before running after her. Juleka blinked. That was... odd. Interesting.. Juleka thought, before someone else ran into the room

 

”Juleka?” Rose yelled. Juleka grinned with relief, as if the sun broke through the dark of a midnight storm. There was her Rose. There was her friend. Safe. 

 

“Rose there you are.!” She exclaimed, jumping out of her hiding space to hug the shorter girl. She swore she heard Alix snicker. When the group soon ran outside the school. Rose refused to let go of Juleka, and when they met with the class, they hit a chaotic sight.

 

”Where is Chloe?!” Sabrina yelled frantically, bursting from the crowd of students

 

”Stoneheart took her!" Kim said. Sabrina‘s eyes widened and began to immediately shake in fear. Ms. Bustier comforted her before saying-

 

”I need you all to evacuate, head home and stay there.” She said, worry plastered across her face, the class murmured quietly to each other before the Principal appeared with a boisterous huff.


“Impossible.! They could get hurt on their way there! It’s safer if we stay here together!” Mr Damocles objected.

 

”Stoneheart could easily come back-“

 

At some point, Rose had let go of Juleka’s hand. Rose protected me.. and I’m the super hero.. She thought before hardening. I’ll find Ladybug and fix this.. I’m sorry Rose but I’ll protect you now.. 

 

Juleka slowly stepped away from the group, no one noticed. She took a deep breath, before suddenly turning to run. For once she prayed that no one noticed her, as Plagg flew out of her pocket.

 

”Where are we going?” He yawned with his little paw.

 

”We need to transform.” She said, turning a corner, before skidding to a stop. Juleka looked around, seeing Stoneheart’s hulking figure lurch forward beyond the alley. She took in a deep breath, and she shouted. ”Plagg, Claws out.!

 

Her transformation washed over her in a bright green light. She grinned, the surge of power brought a different feeling out of herself. She'd have to get used to this some day, but today was not that day- Juleka's ears perked up as she heard Chloe’s shrill voice scream.

 

”You have no idea who you're dealing with. My daddy, the mayor, will bring in the police, the army, the entire cavalry!” Chloe screeched, Juleka winced, before smirking. She clawed her way to the top of the alleyway, and diving down towards Stoneheart.

 

”Don’t forget about the superheroes!” She yelled. Juleka smashed her staff onto his head and flipped onto his stone wrist.

 

She shoved her staff down into the nook of Stoneheart’s hands, trying to pry it open to set Mylene free. Shit this is hard. Juleka thought before yelping with shock, as she was thrown off the monster immediately. She hit the ground hard, her body struggling to get back to her feet. There was a loud ringing in her ears and she could feel how her vision so awfully blurred.

 

“Shit.!” She hissed. Chloe and Mylene yelled for her as she weakly held onto her staff, she couldn’t understand why, until an army of duplicate rock monsters emerged from the streets, running straight towards her.

 

Juleka gasped, jumping back as she was quickly swarmed. The monsters failed to grab her multiple times, as she bounced around the battle field, barely slipping out of their hands. She watched in horror as Stoneheart ran away from the street.

 

”No no no no..!” Juleka yelled, dodging another hand. Her tail lashed violently, as she ran after the Beast. She ran through another street, trying to loose the creatures, only to find more. 


Juleka dropped to her stomach as one threw an entire car at her, before rolling to the side to dodge another hand.

 

”H-Hey Partner?! Ladybug?! I could use some help again.!” She yelled, before another car was thrown towards her. Fuck fuck Fuck.! Panic swelled through her as she could see her own reflection in the car.

 

She dodged to the side, before turning around in shock as the car smashed into the ground, and then bounced, hurling towards a screaming Alya. Juleka gasped, quickly chucking her staff and then forcing it to extend- right before the car smashed into the girl, it flipped over from the staff.

 

It landed vertically, Juleka winced, as she heard Alya scream. There was so squishing sound of a crushed body, but she could see the reporter’s trapped torso. She started to run towards her, but her breath left her body, as she was lifted off the ground by another rock creature.

 

Juleka screamed, kicking her legs frantically. She couldn’t run or fight back, only scream.

 

”L-Ladybug help.!” She cried, as she heard Alya’s screams dim farther and farther away. This is it. Again! Second day on the job after messing up horribly! And I’m still gonna die by being crushed.

 

Juleka’s hands trembled, and her eyes squeezed tight. Damn it why was I chosen to be a hero,, I-I’m nothing.! She thought, I just want my family safe.. I just want Rose safe.. 

 

Suddenly a voice pierced her thoughts

 

Panthera! Extend your staff.!

 

Juleka’s eyes snapped open, she ripped her arm out and grabbed onto the cold metallic staff, it forced the stone monster’s hand open as she flipped backwards onto the pavement. 

 

She rubbed her head dizzily, before being pulled away from another stone hand by the familiar yo-yo. Juleka found herself pulled upside down on a lamp post, she smiled at Ladybug. But... also struggled to keep her confident posture. I’m always having to be saved by her.. she thought shamefully. Before, sighing with awe. She's incredible.

 

”There you are Partner! Once again, it seems like my nine lives are in your hand!” Panthera grinned. Seriously, where am I getting these jokes from? Juleka wondered. Ladybug grinned a little nervously

 

”You’re quite the jokester aren’t you?” Ladybug smiled, the stone monsters roared underneath them. They looked down and cringed. “It seems your comedic timing could you some work though!”

 

Ladybug pulled Juleka back to her feet, as they launched onto the side building, leaping through the city again. Juleka glanced back with worry, before pushing forward with a lash of her teeth.

 

”Are we just gonna leave them there?!” Juleka yelled, Ladybug looked back at her with a fearful expression before putting on a brave front. 

 

“We gotta, if we want to save them all-“ They landed in front of the Eiffel tower, and Ladybug's eyes narrowed with focus as she pointed out into the eye of the storm. “We’ve got to head towards the source.”

 

There was Ivan’s screaming body, surrounded by swirling helicopters. 


"There he is."

 

Juleka gulped, the monster was perhaps doubled the size it was when she first saw him. It was like the movie King Kong. Glancing to the side- She saw Mayor Bourgeois standing with the police and holding up a megaphone.

 

”I demand my daughter’s safe return.!” He yelled frantically. She could hear Chloe’s cry for her father. Stoneheart loomed over them, his eyes glowing a violent green. His rock face shifted into the closest resemblance to a smirk.

 

”Yknow what!? You’re welcome to her!” Stoneheart bellowed. Juleka’s eyes widened.

 

”Ladybug he’s gonna-“ She started, before Stoneheart chucked Chloe into the air. She screamed, as she was diving head first into the ground.

 

She could hear her scream, pray, anything.

 

Help!IpromiseI'llbenicetoeveryonesaypleaseandthankyouall-“ Chloe cried- Dear god her hearing was so much better as Panthera-

 

Juleka's heart stopped- before it happened. She watched in amazement, as Ladybug swung forward and caught the student in her hands. She swore she saw Chloe’s face drop for a moment, her cheeks flushing a slight pink, before smirking awkwardly.

 

“I-.. didn’t promise.”

 

Juleka rolled her eyes, as she ran over. When Chloe was returned to her father, all eyes were on Stoneheart.

 

”We’re clear to attack!” Officer Raincomprix yelled, as the sounds of unloading guns filled her ears. Really? Guns on a rock monster? Ladybug gaped in shock.

 

”No don’t do it!” She yelled.

 

”Yeah! It’ll only make it worse idiot!” Juleka growled, the officer scoffed, looking the cat hero up and down.

 

”I have a new plan, unlike you! Move aside and let the pros do their thing. You've already failed once, punks!” He snapped back. Juleka’s hands trembled, her breathing hitched as panic grew through her. 

 

He was right, she failed horribly, she was no hero, she was barely even a person. Juleka's ears pinned against her head. Under her mask, she was nothing.

 

”L-Ladybug what do we..” She started, before she saw Ladybug turn around, a horribly familiar expression of sorrow and disbelief written all over her face.

 

”…He's right, you know. If I had captured Stoneheart's akuma the first time around, none of this would have happened!” Ladybug whimpered. Juleka's jaw fell. It was like Ivan’s this morning, like Marinette’s this morning, like her ma's when Juleka asked why her dad hated her, and like Rose’s when she cried.


Ladybug sorrowfully could only whisper one last thing that broke Juleka even more;

 

“I knew I wasn’t cut out for this job..”

 

Juleka clenched her jaw, she didn’t know who this girl was behind the mask. Hell, Juleka didn’t even want to guess at this point. But the idea that the person who amazed her and saved her life time after time; was still thinking that they weren’t cut out for this super hero gig was utter bullshit.

 

She refused to let Ladybug down like this. She’d been there, she knew what Ladybug had felt. She thought this entire time Ladybug was just some perfect, heroic, badass, but now-

 

Juleka grabbed Ladybug’s shoulder.

 

“No- Ladybug he’s wrong, without you Chloe wouldn’t be alive, just a smear on the pavement.” Juleka harshly spoke, before softening, “He’s being over confident and doubting us, but we can prove them wrong together- I trust you Ladybug, so trust me that I’m saying the truth and that we can prove them wrong.. okay?”

 

Ladybug froze, her eyes widening. Juleka couldn’t stop her hands from shaking, she never could, but- for Ladybug- she grinned bravely.

 

”I- Okay,,” Ladybug smiled. Suddenly, the sounds of Stomeheart’s screaming split through the scene. Everyone swerved around, seeing the giant start to hack and cough.

 

He fell back, and in one last hurl- a flurry of icky purple butterflies flew out of his stone jaw. She watched, as the he fell back with a loud crash.

 

Juleka was frozen. There was a loud silence, as the butterflies began to fly together, grouping up menacingly, before suddenly- they moved into the form of a face.

 

“People of Paris.. Listen carefully. I am Hawkmoth”

 

“Hawkmoth?” Ladybug echoed.

 

”That’s a dumb name..” Juleka mumbled, hands planted on her hips.

 

”Ladybug, Panthera Noire, give me the ladybug earrings and the cat ring now.. You've done enough damage to these innocent people!” He spoke, voice as smooth as butter. 

 

Juleka shrunk a bit, as she felt the entire world's eyes on her- but then, she heard Ladybug clap. She watched with wide eyes, as her partner walked forward, her head held high.

 

“Nice try, Hawk Moth, but we know who the bad guy is. Let's not reverse the roles here. Without you, none of these innocent victims would be transformed into villains.!” Ladybug yelled, Juleka grinned proudly at her partner.

 

”Ladybug..” she voiced softly,

 

“HawkMoth, no matter how long it takes, we will find you, and you will hand us your Miraculous!” Ladybug yelled, before charging forward, swinging her yo-yo and jumping right in front of the butterfly face. “Time to devilize.!”

 

Paris watched in absolute awe, as the Ladybug heroine lashed her yo-yo out and cleaved off the butterfly face multiple times, before it was nothing but the echoes of a scream.

 

Ladybug landed on the Eiffel tower, staring down at the city. Juleka was shaking, not from fear anymore, but with astonishment. 

“Let me make this promise to you. No matter who wants to harm you, Ladybug and Panthera Noire will do everything in our power to keep you safe!” Ladybug shouted, it felt like her voice could continue for thousands of miles.

 

Ladybug pulled over her yo-yo, and with a flick, thousands of white butterflies bursted from her weapon, they scattered through the air in a beautiful show. Juleka smiled, as she heard Paris cheer.

 

Juleka bounded after her partner, landing next to her with a big smile, as she flipped her long hair out of her face.

 

”Nice job Ladybug.!” She said, Ladybug nodded.

 

The peace didn’t last long though, as Stoneheart immediately was back on his feet. 

 

“Help me.!” Mylene waved her arms frantically from his grasp. 


“You’ll never take Mylene from me.!” He roared, as he started to climb up the tower “Come to me my stone beings.!” 

 

Juleka watched as dozens of stone monsters started to climb up the tower as well, reaching for her and Ladybug

 

”S-Shit we’re surrounded.!” She exclaimed, she turned to Ladybug with a hopeful smile “What do we do now, Partner? We can’t attack him can we?”

 

Seriously I need to ask Plagg if becoming a cat holder immediately makes me weird like this She thought, as she looked down at Ladybug.

 

”Yeah we can’t attack.. but since we know where know where his akuma is..” Ladybug murmured.

 

”In his clenched fist that has Mylene..”

 

”We both know he’s in love with her..” Suddenly a figurative lightbulb popped up on her head. “That’s it!”

 

”Mm?” Juleka’s tail swished.

 

”We don’t separate them! We bring them closer together! They're made for one another! It's just that they don't know it yet!” Ladybug grinned, Juleka rose an eyebrow. Always love huh.?

 

“Uhh, I don’t know if follow.. but I trust you Ladybug!” Juleka shouted, jumping after her. Her nails dug into the tower’s metal as she followed next to Ladybug. “Hey wait are you sure love’s gonna work?” 

 

“Not much of a romance fan?” Ladybug asked, raising a teasing eyebrow.

 

”o-Oh? U-uh nah nah, I’ve got a friend who’s obsessed with it-“ She smiled, remembering fondly of Rose blabbering on and on about her latest book obsession. “-I was just wondering. That's all.”

 

Ladybug nodded, before shooting her yo-yo out, she swung upwards, towards the very top of the tower- out of Juleka’s view, as she was still running after.

 

She could hear Mylene’s cries.

 

”Help I’m scared of heights.!”

 

Juleka groaned as she pulled herself up onto a flat area, her muscles were burning. How the hell did I manage this?! She wondered, before grimacing as she saw the stone monsters had barely beat her to it. She looked up.

 

”How are you planning on bringing them closer than they already are?!” She shouted.

 

”By using our powers!” Ladybug shouted, of course Juleka thought, she heard her partner shout ‘Lucky Charm’ before suddenly, she bounced away from the arm of another rock monster. She watched as they all were headed to Ladybug, who was now holding a parachute.

 

I need to hold them off..! She told herself, as she frantically tried to keep them from getting closer.

 

”You know what you’re doing r-right?!” Juleka yelled, panic weeping through her voice. 

 

“We’ll find out soon.!” She heard Ladybug say, as she dodged another hand. “Panthera! His hand! Get ready..!”

 

Juleka swerved around, moments before Ladybug made Stoneheart and Mylene kiss. Cute, still a rock monster, but cute. Suddenly, by the shock of it, Stone Heart immediately released Mylene. Juleka darted forward, she flipped off the tower and dived towards the akuma.

 

She watched Paris from her fall, it was oldly beautiful upside down.. the air flapped her long hair around- before she took her staff, and hit the akumatized object straight up. It flew right towards Ladybug- as she quickly shoved her staff into part of the tower, hanging.

 

Her breathing was heavy, as sweat fell down her face, she quickly pulled herself up. Juleka stared at the city. Never once in her life would she believe that she would do this. She always assumed she’d end up with some sad quiet job, maybe as some make up artist, or musician.

 

Another dream would be modeling.. but she never could do that.. If heroism was her path, she wouldn’t regret it.

 

A scream broke out, she looked up, seeing Stoneheart’s body start to crumble, in seconds, the giant mass of rocks had disappeared, and that only left Ivan and Mylene to fall off the Eiffel Tower.

 

Juleka gasped, she ran to the edge of her pole, when she saw Ladybug dive after them.

 

”Panthera.! Take care of Ivan!” She yelled, as she grabbed Mylene. Juleka looked up, seeing the large boy falling far away. She looked around, she couldn’t run on this pole..

 

”U-Uh uh Cataclysm.!” She yelled, she jumped to the side of the tower, taking two of her claws and dug into it- practically peeling back the metal with cataclysm to create a bridge- before lunging after Ivan.

 

She grabbed onto his wrist, as she held on. Juleka watched, as Ladybug somehow caught the butterfly from the top of the tower whilst falling, and springing open the parachute just in time. Juleka smiled with pride. Good job Partner

 

She pulled Ivan up onto the beam.

 

”There you go Ivan, easy does it,.” She groaned, as she helped him up. He looked at her quizzedly.

 

”How do you both know my name.?” He asked, Juleka paused for a moment.

 

”U-Uh, I know from the news but I don’t know about Ladybug” She lied, Ivan took the answer- as they made their way down. Her legs ached, as she met up with Ladybug at the bottom. “Solid ground how I missed you..” she muttered.

 

Ladybug smiled at them, a little expectantly,

 

”We’re here- Use your miraculous cure Ladybug” Juleka croaked. Ladybug nodded, throwing up her parachute. 

 

“Miraculous Ladybug.!” She shouted. The parachute glowed brightly. In a wave of ladybugs- light swept over the entire city. Juleka’s jaw dropped at the sight.

 

”A-Are you seeing what I’m seeing?” She gasped, as rock monsters were returned to human form, she felt her bruises fade away, and saw entire buildings reappear.

 

”Yeah. It's beautiful and amazing. It's… uh… miraculous!” Ladybug grinned, as the flurry of ladybugs disappeared. Juleka sighed, letting go of Ivan and walking off. Her ring beeped, as she looked back and saw Ladybug pushing Mylene and Ivan together- saying they had things to talk about.

 

”Oh, uh… I… Uh…” Ivan stuttered, his cheeks red. 

 

”Maybe it would help if you read the lyrics to Ivan's song.” Ladybug suggested, as she gave a piece of paper to MyleneShe took a moment, scanning the words and Juleka watched her expression physically melt into something impossibly endeared. 

 

“Wow, it's really beautiful. It's a shame you can't hear them when you scream. I-I mean, when you sing..” Mylene said, smiling. Ivan shrunk back a bit.

 

It was scary, wasn't it. Is that why you left? I'm sorry,..” Ivan spoke softly, “I'll be gentle.” Mylene said nothing, only ran and hugged him tightly.

 

Oh, they're so made for each other.” Ladybug squealed, her face practically glowing. 


“We did great..” Juleka smiled, before looking at Ladybug. Who smiled up at her.

 

Ladybug was so cool..

 

“Told ya you could do it” She added, pushing the hair off her own face. I should keep the hair off my face.. maybe I’ll be less recognizable..

 

”Thanks for trusting me, Panthera Noir” Ladybug grinned sheepishly, before suddenly her miraculous was beeping as well. Ladybug's face grew a bit serious. “I’ve gotta go- I’ll see you next time, I feel like this won’t be the end of HawkMoth.”

 

Juleka nodded.

 

”See you then, partner” She purred, before turning and bounding away in the opposite direction as Ladybug. She fell to the street, running into an alleyway hastily, as her suit detransformed.

 

Plagg floated out of her ring, grinning.

 

”Good job Kitten” He said, as finally.. the mission was over.

 

She returned to the class, they had moved to the library- watching the news in suspense. No one noticed she was gone.. for better or worse. Juleka had slinked up next to Rose, who hadn’t seem to take notice of her, until she just- immediately grabbed Juleka’s hand.

 

Juleka blinked, looking sown at Rose’s red face. She was crying,

 

”Juleka.!” Rose cried, a wide grin on her face. “Ladybug and Panthera Noire did it! They’re incredible.!”

 

Juleka faked excitement, despite how exhausted she was. Rose has wrapped her arms around Juleka’s waist, the class was chattering on and on in excitement- while in the midst, no noticed the rentry of Marinette. Not even Juleka.

 

Soon, they were all sent home. Rose had clung to her side- until Juleka walked her home.

 

”See you tomorrow Juleka!” Rose smiled, Juleka’s cheeks heated up.

 

”See you, Rose..” 

 

Before Juleka dragged herself home, she stopped by a market to buy Plagg some Camembert. His gleeful expression as he bit down on the wedge of cheese warmed her heart.

 

”Should I tell Rose at some point..?” Juleka asked, Plagg looked at her, the sun was setting and she just wanted to sleep.

 

”Go ahead for all I care- but its not the smartest or safest decision” He said, nomming on the cheese. “I don’t really mind, but that HawkMoth guy is super after you and Ladybug- he would probably go after whoever’s close to you” He took another bite “You also might get fired if you tell her.” He added

 

Juleka nodded quietly, trying not to think about who would fire her..

 

”I’ll tell her when we defeat him” Juleka decided, Plagg shrugged, and nodded. ”should.. me and Ladybug know each other?”

 

”Do you mean.. should you tell each other? Or do you know each other already?” Plagg asked, before falling silent. He floated quietly next to her, as they stood at the docks. The Liberty floated in the water peacefully. He looked to her “Tikki is Ladybug’s Miraculous, she’s very strict about identities- so I don’t think so if we let her decide.” 

 

Juleka nodded.

 

”I trust Ladybug,” she spoke “As long as Ladybug’s around, the day will be saved. If I want my family safe.. I’ll let her lead the way.” She decided. It was then she realized her bangs were still up and out of her face.

 

Juleka paused for a moment before pulling it back over her eye. To Paris, she was Panthera Noire. But to everyone who knew her.. she was just Juleka.

 

Juleka walked across the docks, pulling herself up onto the deck. She exhaled deeply. 

 

”I’m home!”

 

Notes:

Annnnd we’re done with origins! Everything will now be chronological and/or filler!
Here’s some notes for y’all if you want any:
-Juleka is completely gay in this, all or the gay, all of the panic
-There will mot likely be a Chloe Redemption of some kind
-Miraculous side effects shenanigans will occur
Thank you for reading!

Chapter 3: Questionnaire

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

“....Is the camera rolling?”

 

The video opens up to a blurry figure, before slowly, the camera focuses; and Panthera Noir is seen sitting on a bench with a smile.

 

”Yep! Okay okay here we go..” Alya pulls up into the camera’s view, holding a fake microphone. “Hey there all you Ladyfans! Alya here, coming at you guys with a special interview with one of Paris’s own super heroes! Panthera Noire!”

 

Panthera waved at the camera, her face showing a flicker of fear, before grinning. Alya turned, practically shaking with excitement,

 

”So! ..Gosh this is so exciting.Tell me, Panthera Noire-“ Alya started, pushing the mic towards the cat hero. “How did you become a hero? How old are you? What exactly are your powers? What’s your relationship with Ladybug like? Do you know who she is behind the mask?”

 

Panthera chuckled nervously, her ears twitched.

 

”W-Well.. one question at a time.. please.” Panthera purred awkwardly, pushing her long hair out of her face. “Um.. I can’t tell exactly how I have my powers, but it has to do with my ring here- which is the source of my power and what Hawkmoth wants!”

 

Alya nodded excitedly

 

”My powers.. are basically just destruction, but whatever it broke will get fixed by Ladybug’s powers so don’t worry!” She added, fidgeting with her jacket. “Whatever happens, I’ll make sure to keep you safe Paris!” Panthera said, looking directly into the camera with a determined gaze.

 

”Ahh so heroic!” Alya squealed, before leaning in again “and and! What’s your relationship with Ladybug?”

 

”Uh..” The hero fiddled with her ring “Just teammates, I hope that we can become good friends though in the future.”

 

”Huh? Does that mean you don’t know her that well?” The reporter asked. The hero shook her head. “Intriguing! Now for some more questions! This time; sent to me by your fans!”

 

”My fans?” the hero repeated, her face brightening. Alya nodded, pulling up some cards.



”From PrincessPink123: How did you get your cat tail to move?? Also your ears and eyes are so cute~!! <3” She read, giggling at it. 

 

“My tail?” Panthera slowly asked, her tail swished around as if on cue “Oh! Uh it just does that, it’s actually a belt, but I’m not sure how it moves, I’m gonna say magic for now.” She answered, before frowning a bit “..wait what’s with my eyes..?” she mumbled.

 

”Your ears and tail are really cool though, it’s like they’re attached to you entirely!” Alya commented, before taking another card. “From.. TheQueen833.. ‘what’s with your goth getup, also how much does it take to die that long hair?’”

 

The hero seemed to wince a bit before laughing a bit,

 

“Well I’ll have you know, my aesthetic is purrfect” She said, winking playfully, Alya snorted. “And.. Not a lot? Sense I only dye it on my bangs and ends.?”

 

“Okay okay- This ones from- oh my gosh! The real Adrien Agreste! ...Probably! Anyways- He asks.. ‘What’s your opinion on Ladybug?’. I feel like we answered this already, but any scoop we should know?” The reporter grinned.

 

The video is edited to zoom close to her face.

 

”She’s very brave, and I inspire to be a better partner thanks to her.” The hero said, grinning softly. Alya suddenly shouted in surprise,

 

”Are those fangs!?” 

 

The video continued on, Alya freaking out and attempting to dig more and more into the hero, who’s smile grew and faltered at many questions. Surprisingly, a lot were romantic and cat related questions, which had made the hero blush and fluster.

 

Eventually..

 

”That’s all the time we have for today’s interview Ladyfans! See you next time!” Alya sang, before the video closed.

 

...

 

Rose shut off the video, as her smile grew. 

 

Did you see that Juleka? She answered my question! I was PrincessPink123!” Rose exclaimed, as she grinned from ear to ear. Juleka chuckled.

 

”Yes, I saw Rose” Juleka said, she’s really excited about this.. if only she knew She thought.

 

”Panthera Noir is so cool! And kind! And pretty! And strong! And kind! I’m so jealous of Alya who got to interview her!” Rose gasped “I should ask Alya what she was like!”

 

”Didn’t you see in the video?” Juleka asked, raising an eyebrow.

 

”Yeah but, who knows what she what else Alya might’ve learnt out of camera, I just wish I could meet Panthera Noir in real life..” Rose squealed. Juleka hummed for a moment before speaking

 

”How come you like Panthera Noire? I figured you’d like Ladybug more” She asked. Juleka attempted to remain casual, however she’d admit, she was genuinely curious.

 

”Well Panthera Noire is just so charming! Ladybug is really good too, but there’s something about Panthera that is just so fantastic!” Rose rambled, hugging her phone. Juleka snorted. Some fan.. she thought. 

Guilt tugged at her own heart though. It was incredible that she was getting noticed as Panthera Noir, in fact, it was incredibly uplifting, but the idea of keeping it from Rose.. hurt a little. It’s for her safety.. her conscious whispered.

 

”We can go ask Alya what she thinks of Panthera Noire later” She said, as they walked to school. When they entered, Juleka found a ton of people flocking the poor reporter for questions about the Mysterious Hero.

 

Some people asking questions like ‘Was she nice?’ to perverted ‘’how hot was she?’

 

Jeez.. Juleka winced. some of those questions were weird. It had only been 12 hours since Juleka did that interview- and Despite her Cheshire smile she held the whole video, Juleka had never been so nervous.

 

”Guess I shouldn’t ask right now then..”

 

...

 

School had just ended, when a blaring alert opened up onto everyone’s phones. An “Akuma” alert as it was called, had alarmed everyone that Hawkmoth had created another monster.

 

Panic spread through the entire school as the students had realized what this meant. Many were running home, some hid inside their classrooms, and Rose. Rose was looking for Juleka.

 

Her best friend had disappeared shortly after class ended. Dang it She was supposed to be good at finding the goth girl.!

 

Sne found herself getting shoved around, as students rushed through the halls. Rose’s voice was drowned out by the numerous people.

 

As she stumbled out of the hallway, it was then that the roof had been ripped off of the school- leaving everyone exposed to the giant akuma. 

 

”I’m Hotshot!” They yelled, their body had been decorated with basketball designs and literal balls. “Ladybug and Panthera Noire better hand over their miraculouses or this entire school is going down!”

 

They then threw a gigantic basketball down into the school courtyard, breaking the cement into pieces by contact. The students shrieked as people scattered from the school.

 

Rose was frozen in place, as she screamed. Chunks of metal and debris flew past her as she watched the school become torn to shreds.

 

She hadn’t even realized the falling wall coming right above her. When Rose looked up to see it, she barely had time to cry out in terror when she was suddenly swept off her feet.

 

Slowly, Rose opened her eyes, to see that she was flying in the strong arms of Panthera Noir. She squealed as they skidded to the ground outside the school. The cat hero carefully set her on the grass. 

 

Gorgeous emerald cat eyes met her own.

 

”Princess, it’s not safe here, I’d hate for you to get hurt.” Panthera purred, Rose turned a bright red. 

 

”P-Princess.??” She squeaked. The hero rose an eyebrow before smiling. They flipped their long dyed bangs out of their face, before softly patting Rose on the head.

 

”Stay safe- PrincessPink” The hero winked, before jumping back into the fray. Rose was silent, before letting out a deafening squeal, her heart was swelling. Panthera Noire knew her!

 

She was so happy! As the Miraculous cure soon washed over the city once again, Rose couldn’t wait till she saw her hero once again. I’ve got to tell Juleka about this.!

 

...

 

”Ohhh.. my god...” 

 

“Good job kit, you sure did make Rose rosey” Plagg teased, shoving his face with cheese.

 

Juleka was bright red, as they stopped behind an alley.

 

”S-Seriously.?! Do horrible jokes and a flirtatious attitude come with your stupid super powers?!” She hissed, Plagg cackled.

 

”Nope! That’s all you!” He said, chewing the smelly cheese. “I guess my gifted powers just gave you the confidence to be like that”

 

“Noooooooo..” Juleka groaned “I was so cheesy... Rose is gonna hate me..”

 

”I wouldn’t be so sure of that~!” Plagg said, pulling up Juleka’s phone.

 

Rose<3: JULEKA 

Rose<3: PANTHERA NOIR SAVED ME OHMYGOD DHFHFH

Rose<3: SHES SO PRETTY

 

Plagg cackled, as Juleka once again, turned bright red. The agony is never ending..

 

 

Notes:

The interview of Panthera Noir and a bit of Rose POV!

Edit: I changed the title of this chapter

Chapter 4: Kitty

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Juleka yelped in pain, as she crashed into the wall. The entire street was just soap. For no apparent reason, it was just soap.

 

She hissed in pain, sliding as carefully as she could to a pole. Ladybug wasn’t doing the best either, she watched as her partner was swinging around desperately, before eventually falling face first into the ground

 

”Hey Partner! You doing okay over there?!” She yelled, climbing up the pole. Ladybug slipped on her own feet in response,

 

”I’m fine..?” Another crash. Nope. Not going to do.

 

Juleka looked around, frantically messing with her hair as she quickly came up with something. The akumatized object was the bib around the giant monster ducky’s neck. 

 

“Ladybug! Up for some skiing?” She asked, Juleka leaped down towards Ladybug, slipping a bit, before reaching out for her Partner’s yo-yo. Her ears twitched, as she grabbed the end of it and leapt towards the monster.

 

Without it noticing, she wrapped it around its bib and began to run. Juleka leapt onto the roofs, sprinting down the streets above, as the rubber duck chased after. Ladybug screamed as she was dragged behind.

 

“Lucky Charm.!”

 

She looked back to see, Ladybug being pulled from behind the monster, slipping around on a pair of polka dot skies. Perfect!

 

Ladybug swung around, before catching onto a pole and tying the yo-yo around it. The yoyo ripped back and the bib came clean off. The monster roared in confusion.

 

Juleka swerved around

 

Cataclysm.!” She yelled, slashing it and turning it into dust. The violet butterfly fluttered around frantically, before being swiped out of the air. Ladybug quickly purified it

 

”No more evil doing for you little akuma!” Ladybug said, letting the butterfly go “Bye bye little Butterfly!”

 

She turned to Juleka and threw up her skies. 

 

”Miraculous Ladybug!” 

 

That'll never get old Juleka smiled, before approaching Ladybug.

 

”Nice to have solid ground again. Good work out there partner!” She grinned, flipping her hair. “You really were purr-fect” she chuckled. Oh god why

 

Ladybug rolled her eyes before smiling

 

”You were too, thanks for the quick thinking- Kitty” She teased. Juleka blinked

 

”..Kitty?” She questioned, raising an eyebrow. Her partner’s cheeks burned a bright red.

 

”U-Uh S-sorry! I meant that to be a nickname! S-SorryIalreadyhaveacrush on someoneoKAY BYE” Ladybug screamed, before darting away. Juleka laughed to herself, before bouncing off.

 

Kitty huh? Never been called that before she thought, as she skipped across the roofs. Her tail swished around as she neared an alleyway. Perfect to make a quick detransformation..

 

However, as Juleka neared it, one of the bricks under her fell loose, she yelped- and fell off the entire building, face first into a garbage dumpster.

 

She quickly stumbled out of it, she hissed- as her body ached with pain- she heard the fallen brick shatter with a loud crack.

 

Juleka dusted herself off, as Plagg flew around her

 

”Nice landing” He sneered

 

”Oh shut up and eat your cheese.” The goth snapped, before shoving a wedge of Camembert into his mouth, he swallowed it greedily. “I should probably apologize..” she said

 

Plagg looked at her with a ‘seriously?’ face, he burped

 

”Or you could easily get away” He said, ears twitching

 

”W-Well yeah, but I don’t wanna be rude, I might’ve broken something..” She muttered, “Plagg Claws Out!”

 

After transformation washed over her, she quickly slinked out of the alley.

 

Along with a flower pot, the brick laid shattered across the ground. Wait a minute this street is familiar

 

A-Ah sorry! A piece of my roof fell of! I don’t know how! Let me clean it u-“ Rose’s voice cut through her thoughts. Juleka swerved around to see the short blonde stumbling out of the apartment complex. Oh fuck “P-Panthera Noir?!”

 

Juleka quickly straightened up, flashing a fanged grin.

 

”Ah, apologizes Purrincess, I’m the one who broke that brick. I was running across your roof and it slipped beneath me, I hope I didn’t hurt you” She purred, flipping her hair out of her face. To up the charm factor, she bent down and took the blonde’s hand. How gentlemanly

 

Rose’s cheeks burned a bright pink

 

”R-Really? I mean- no I’m okay! Are you okay? Who am I kidding you’re great.. I mean..” Rose sputtered. Juleka blinked. Huh. She’d never seen Rose like this before, other than her crushes on the characters in her romance novels.

 

Wait.. she shook her head. 

 

”I’m glad, is there anyway I can make it up to you? I think I broke your plant” Juleka asked sheepishly. Rose looked down, eyes widening with surprise.

 

”Oh gosh! I didn’t notice.. no it’s okay! I’m just glad the brick didn’t hurt anyone! Oh gosh you’re tall” She said, smiling widely. Her tail flicked around happily

 

”If you say so..farewell, Purrincess” Juleka grinned, before bounding off into the city again, before making a quick turn and sneaking back onto the boat. Plagg popped out of her ring, snickering

 

”Princess huh? Daaang you’ve got it bad!” The kwami cackled. “Wonderful puns Kit” Juleka burned red

 

”I didn’t mean to call her that.! I’m just.. referencing her user name!” She exclaimed “It’s your fault that I’m making the puns!”

 

”Sure sure, tell that to your princess” Plagg teased.

 

Juleka rolled her eyes, staring at her bare mirror.

 

”You know, I think girls are supposed to have pictures of their mirror” The cat said, “Yours is kind of boring”

 

”I can’t take pictures of myself” Juleka mumbled “It’s a jinx.. something bad always goes wrong and obscures my face..”

 

”Huh, that’s rough” he said

 

”Is that all you’re gonna say?” She rose an eyebrow.

 

”Well yeah, cause curses and jinxes exist. Obviously there’s ways for reverse them, but really I think you’re just unlucky with cameras” Plagg flew around her head. “Call it a black cat thing” he chuckled.

 

Juleka eyed her guitar. She picked it up and strummed a few chords. The soothing sounds of the instrument soothed her frustration and edge

 

“You know how to play?” He asked, flying around it

 

”Yeah, my brother is music crazy, taught me everything I know” She said proudly, Plagg nodded

 

”Oh yeah, I’m surprised he hasn’t found me out, why do you two even live in the same dumb room..” he hissed, before quickly flying back into her hair as the door opened. Speak of the devil, Luka stepped in

 

”Hey Jules” He said, before stopping “Huh, Your melody is way weird right now”

 

”Oh shut up Luka..” she muttered, cheeks burning.

 

He shrugged, and started to play his guitar. Juleka smiled, and played along. She forgot the name of the song, but regardless, the two siblings jammed out for a bit- before leaving for dinner.

 

...

 

Later that night, Juleka met with Ladybug on a roof. Her ears perked up as her partner landed next to her

 

”Good evening partner” she purred, pulling the hair off her eye

 

”Kitty” Ladybug greeted teasingly, before sulking a bit “Sorry, I feel like that’s too much of a flirty nickname..”

 

”No worries Partner, I find it endearing” She said, looking out at the glowing city. She hummed quietly, as she skipped across the roof.

 

Ladybug followed after her.

 

”What’re you humming?” She asked curiously. Juleka’s ear twitched

 

”Just a song my brother was playing, I forgot it’s name” She said, looking at Ladybug.

 

”You have a brother?” 

 

”Yep” Juleka smiled, popping the ‘p’. “He’s a weirdo but I love him, blame him for my aesthetic” she chuckled, ringing her cat bell with a wink. She had really embraced this new flirtatious side of her..

 

”No shame in a bit of goth” Ladybug shrugged, before falling silent. “Hey.. kitty.. what’s your opinion on love?”

 

I guess we are sticking to that nickname..

 

”Don’t tell me you’ve already fallen for my charms!” Juleka fake gasped, Ladybug blushed brightly.

 

”N-No! I ‘m not..! I-.. I like someone else..” She said, covering her face

 

”I’m kidding,” The cat hero said, lashing her tail “Uhh.. what I think of love huh?” Rose’s face come up in her mind. Her wonderful smile.. her joyful attitude.. the way she- Juleka coughed, embarrassed “Uh.. it’s nice, it’s uh, really nice.”

 

Ladybug smiled mischievously

 

”Oh? Now you’re the one who’s charmed” She said, before leaning over “Tell me about them! We should get to know each other more! Maybe I can help with your love problem!”

 

Well it’s not really a problem.. Juleka’s ear twitched, I wonder if she’s okay with... well if she is... Well what if the other thing...

 

“Only if you tell me who your eyes are set upon” Juleka said, flicking Ladybug’s hair. The hero huffed, blushing madly as she began to ramble

 

”Ohh.. H-He’s just so amazing and kind and cool and sweet and amazing and incredible and-“ Ladybug sputtered, Juleka’s eyes widened as her partner unraveled before her eyes. Wow this is.. very familiar. She thought, a vision of Marinette’s blushing mess echoing in her mind

 

”Why don’t you describe what he looks like?” She suggested, suppressing giggles as that only made Ladybug’s blushing grew even more

 

”HE’S GORGEOUS.!” Ladybug whined “That silky blonde hair.. those beautiful emerald eyes.. the way he just.. and.. ohh.” Her partner dropped her hands into her face “I’m a mess.. an absolute creep.!”

 

Juleka chuckled, patting the shorter girl on the head.

 

”Hah, you remind me of a girl I know.” She mumbled, before she let out a little laugh. “She’s pretty sweet, and she’s got the craziest crush on that model.. Adrien Agreste”

 

Ladybug squeaked with surprise. 

 

”What a c-coincidence! Lots of girls ha-have a crush on him!” She stuttered out, babbling. “I-I mean who wouldn’t.! With him looking like that..” She blinked, turning at Juleka. “Please don’t tell anyone! I don’t want the news to bother him!”

 

”My lips are sealed.” Juleka purred, making a zipping motion with her claws, letting out a chuckle. “Don’t worry, nothing wrong with liking blondes.”

 

Rose’s smile warmed her heart.

 

”Oh right! Tell me about your crush too! Come on Panthera!” Ladybug shook her arm. Juleka laughed, waving her off.

 

”Well, I don’t think I can match my admiration levels to yours.. but..” She blushed under her mask, ears flattening. “Sh- They’re really sweet.. I’ve known them for a while, and we’re close.. but.. I don’t think they’d ever like me back..”

 

Ladybug wilted

 

”W-Well that can’t be true! You’re Panthera Noire! I mean.. even if they don’t know it.. you’re so confident, and smart, and funny a-and brave!” She said, “You saved my butt today! Heck- y-you’ve saved my butt multiple times!”

 

Juleka sighed, a sad smile grew on her face

 

”Only as Panthera Noire though..” She turned to Ladybug, ears flattened against her head, “To tell you the truth partner, outside the suit: I’m really shy. I’m weak. I’m practically invisible and.. it just sucks you know? To feel so transparent? I’m literally the quiet kid in the corner that no one talks to... being Panthera is just the nice change of pace.” 

 

“What about your friend?” She asked, Juleka smiled, Rose.. 

 

”Hah.. she’s really the only one who notices me.. and she’s great, but she‘ll never know how much she owns my heart..” She whispered, before realizing. If this super powered heroine ends up homophobic this is gonna haunt me for the rest of my life. “I-I mean them! Them! He.! N-Not her! Not saying that’s weird I-I mean.. aw man” 

 

She covered her face, well that was definitely one of the worst ways to casually come out. It wasn't something she was shameful about, and Ladybug seemed nice. But this wasn't the way she wanted to do it. So awfully risky. And if Ladybug knew the other thing-

 

”Please.. kill me?” Juleka asked. Ladybug pushed her hands away from her face, before reaching out and stroking the space between her ears softly. She closed her eyes, as comfort spread through her. Thank god.. she thought.

 

I would never judge you Panthera! Thank you for sharing that with me!” Ladybug shouted, her words filled with encouragement. "Are- am the first person you've told? I'M- I'm an ally y'know! I-"

 

Annnd that's enough. How lovely. So sweet. But that was enough now. Juleka smiled, then there was a rumbling feeling in her chest. She opened her eyes, confused. Ladybug’s hand left her head, and it stopped. 

 

”What the hell was..” She mumbled, Ladybug squinted her eyes- she reached out again and started to pet Juleka again, the rumbling returned as a warmth spread from that spot to her bones. Juleka’s eyes closed. Her partner began to scratch behind her ears and- oh fuck.. that felt.. damn it the rumbling just got louder..

 

”Are you.. actually purring?” Ladybug grinned. Juleka’s eyes snapped open, her face gloomed a bright pink. “Oh my god, your pupils were like super thin before, now they’re super big this is adorable..”

 

”N-No! Ladybug.! Partner stoop..” She hissed, embarrassment flooding through her even more as Ladybug scratched her around her neck. It just felt so relaxing- her throat only spurred her purrs on louder.

 

”Oh my goOOOOOOD..!” Ladybug was practically squealing 

 

“Please.. stop.. please Ladybug.. my dignity..” Juleka begged, scrapping her claws on the ground. Ladybug obliged, and pulled away her hand. The cat hero cursed herself, as she felt sad that it was gone.

 

”You know, maybe you should try and woo your ‘friend’ as Panthera” Ladybug said, advisedly “If you’re not ready and you think that you’re too invisible for her as your civilian self, then I think you’ve got a pretty good chance at charming her as Panthera!”

 

Juleka hummed in thought, she remembered Rose’s blushing face when she called her princess

 

”I don’t wanna bother her..” she mumbled, ears flattening. “What if she falls in love with Panthera.. learns it’s me.. and.. oh she’d be so disappointed..” she sulked, burying her face in her hands.

 

Ladybug patted her on the back.

 

”I get that..” She whined, “Secret identities are so complicated.. Ugh, I’m such a mess out of the mask you have no idea..”

 

Juleka chuckled, her tail flicking around, No one could ever recognize Juleka as Panthera Noire.. she wondered if she’d recognize whoever Ladybug was as Ladybug

 

”We should hang out more often, other than you know, crime fighting,” Panthera said. “I think that, regardless on how we act outside the suit, we could be good friends.”

 

”I agree full heartedly, kitty.” Ladybug nodded, grinning.

 

They fist bumped, before leaving into the night. 

 

Juleka danced across the buildings of Paris, her hair flapping gracefully in the wind- she neared a familiar house. Rose was inside, from the way her lips were pursed, and her head was bobbing, she was humming.

 

She smiled, before quickly looking around, on another windowsill, she plucked a.. hah.. a rose from it’s balcony, and leapt over to Rose’s window. Juleka took a deep breath. She knocked on the window three times, before setting the rose down onto the ledge. 

 

The cat hero quickly bounded off, watching from a distance, as Rose picked the flower. Her heart swelled as the blonde blushed by it, mouthing the words ‘panthera’.

 

”Goodnight.. Rose” she murmured to herself, before leaving.

 

 

Notes:

A quickly and hastily made akuma for the day! Soon I’ll get to more actual plot and episodes

Chapter 5: Lady Wifi

Chapter Text

 

Juleka.. notices things. She notices things a lot.

 

Like the way Rose’s eyes always flickered to her before she asked for her opinion, how Mylene twiddled her thumbs whenever she spoke about Ivan, how Nino only ever blowed bubbles when stressed, and how Chloe only got quiet when it involved Gabriel Agreste.

 

She knew Why for each of them of course. Juleka was practically invisible unless someone outright talked to her, so it was easy to just observe her classmates and put two and two together.

 

Her dry but nice advice seemed to make the blonde happy. Mylene only twiddled her thumbs when she was happy about something. Nino loved bubbles as a kid and was something he could focus on besides music Chloe talked about ‘Uncle Gabriel’ a lot as a kid until the disappearance of..

 

..Emilie Agreste.

 

Juleka frowned at the memory, her copper eyes glancing at Adrien. No one questioned why or what happened. Especially now with Adrien here.. it seemed obvious why, not to mention the leave of Audrey Bourgious and how that affected all of Chloe’s general psyche.

 

She shook her head. 

 

Her stock of information on people increased even more so, thanks to Panthera Noire.

 

Although she was on equal ground as Ladybug, Paris wasn’t gawking at her every move like the other girl- so she got a lot of time to jump through the city mostly ignored besides some awed gasps. 

 

This lead Juleka to learn some exciting things.

 

Like Alix’s ice cream flavor from Andre’s being lemon and blueberry. ‘Lemon for their Hair and Blueberry for their Eyes, the lemon also being their sour feelings that can become something as sweet as lemonade’ much to the skater’s confusion. Juleka had no idea what was up with that ice cream shop.

 

Max’s hatred of chunky soup, apparently the texture made him extremely frustrated.

 

Hell, she even learned that Adrien, super star model, Adrien Agreste- seemed to be crushing on her ladybug partner.

 

Juleka smiled endearingly, lucky bug indeed.. here’s hoping for Ladrien.. is that the right ship name? God.. I’m blaming Rose for my sudden shipping..

 

However, one of the things she hasn’t been able to put together yet was Alya..

 

Not that she seemed to be hiding anything, girl wore her heart on her sleeve. Juleka just hadn’t found herself ‘accidentally’ spying on the reporter yet, and she couldn’t as Panthera either. That could risk her identity and another terrifying interview with the ladyblog comment section.

 

She shivered all of the bottoms.. All of them flocked to the comments.. she thought, remembering the many many comments that floated around, a lot of ‘god I wanna be stepped on by Panthera’ plus all of the complaints with the blurred photos of her.. never a clear image- only videos. Guess that stayed consistent..

 

God.. still too much risk though she thought Wish I knew I a little more about that reporter. It feels weird not knowing something about her that isn’t obvious

 

It seemed like her lucky day though, as she caught the girl cutting out pictures of Ladybug’s face and holding it up to her classmates, It amused Juleka for a little while, that’s not gonna work.

 

”Jeez..” she mumbled, Rose leaned over curiously

 

”What’s up Juleka?” She asked. The gothic girl smiled

 

”Nothing, just thinking..” 

 

“Well you sure think a lot..” Rose teased.

 

The day continued, Juleka got to watch the giant fiasco between Chloe and Alya. Something about how Chloe was totally Ladybug or something. She snorted slightly when the yo-yo popped up in Chloe’s locker.

 

She never pegged Chloe for a cosplayer, but hey, add it to the list of weird shit she knew about the Bourgeois!

 

There was no way her partner was her. Wrong hair. Wrong attitude. Wrong eyes. Wrong yo-yo- Jeez.. where did Alya even get this idea? It made Alya’s sudden suspension all the more cringe worthy to the goth.

 

”Yikes..” She mumbled.

 

”Poor Alya” Rose said, Juleka looked down and patted her on the head

 

”I’m sure she’ll be fine.. I wish Chloe didn’t make a big deal out of it... she shouldn’t be so embarrassed by cosplay..” Juleka skilled quietly,

 

”Cosplay? Do you think Chloe isn’t Ladybug?” She asked. The goth shook her head

 

”Definitely cosplay, she got a lot of mistakes wrong with it.. yo-yo isn’t right.. facial features aren’t right.. pretty sure you can do a wig with it but I don’t think transformation changes your hair..” Juleka listed off, before blinking “Sorry I rambled..”

 

”Juleka! Do you have a crush on Ladybug?” Rose grinned. She huffed

 

”No” She said I love you she thought “I don’t. But if it makes you feel better I can admit that she looks pretty neat.”

 

Rose squealed

 

”Ladybug is pretty cool! But I still don’t get why you don’t gush as much about Panthera Noir! She’s so charming and nice and considerate and charming!” Rose grinned, blush pooling in her cheeks. “Sorry I said charming twice but that’s only because she is!”

 

”Oh?” She smiled that’s nice admiration.. Juleka then remembered what Ladybug said, maybe she could.. “Sounds like you’re the one with a crush” she purred.

 

Juleka expected some ‘HAHA NO I’M STRAIGHT’ words from Rose, fearing the worst being ‘Are you assuming? Don’t be my friend Juleka’- but then.. oh but then..

 

Rose blinked, her eyes widened slightly before softening. Her heart began to beat wildly as Rose’s cheeks began to redden. There was a solid ten seconds of silence, as Rose looked off.

 

”Uhh Rose?” She said, hiding a tremble. No way

 

Hm? Oh, sorry Jules.. I was just thinking..” Rose said wistfully, playing with Juleka’s hair. This is not good for my heart oh my god. 

 

“A-about?” 

 

Rose looked up at her before muttering ”Uh.. Panthera Noire..”

 

”Wait-“ Juleka gulped, “..Do you like girls?” She asked carefully before blubber “Or- I- Do you like Panthera??”

 

Rose glanced at her a little carefully. Eyes scanning as she twiddled with the edge of her skirt.

 

”A little? I mean I’m bi- But you know me, loving princes and all- I’m more inclined to dudes-“ Rose’s voice was hushed as they stopped walking “Uhm.. but yeah! I do. I admire girls- thank Panthera Noire for that” she chuckled

 

Juleka swore she had a heart attack. 

 

”Are you mad?” Rose asked, carefully and quietly, Juleka blinked.

 

”No! No no no I’m not mad! I’m happy for you” Juleka grabbed Rose’s shoulder, gotta protect gotta protect “I would never be mad at you Rose!”

 

Rose’s face brightened

 

”Oh thank you Jules!” She hugged the goth’s waist, before they headed to the next class- and soon ended the day. As if Juleka could notice though, from the loud pounding in her chest radiating through her ears.

 

Juleka waved her friend goodbye, before slinking into an alleyway

 

”Did you hear that Plagg?” She grinned, as the kwami flew out of her hair “She likes Panthera!”

 

”Yeah but she doesn’t like Juleka..” he hissed, crossing his paws

 

”Oh shut..” Juleka frowned, “I know that. But..”

 

”Does it still make you happy ‘cause Panthera Noir is you?” Plagg asked “You gonna leave a rose by her window every evening? Oh! Dance in the moonlight with your Juliet?” He teased

 

”Oh shut it Plagg..” She snapped, a small smile growing on her face as the kwami laughed. A soft blush dusted over her cheeks. “What about that situation with Alya though, I’m worried..” she muttered

 

”Eh, was asleep for most of it- but hey! Gives a good story to tell to Ladybug right?” Plagg said “Gotta keep your soulmate up with stuff, even if secret identities are a must”

 

She blinked

 

”S-Soulmates.?” Juleka asked, her eyes widened, nonononno no nono no. Plagg looked over to see the panic on her face.

 

”Oh shit- don’t worry don’t worry! It doesn’t have to be romantic it’s just- ugh” He exclaimed, “It’s just.. a thing between me and the ladybug miraculous- soulmates connected between me and Tikki can be platonic! This soulmate thing involves me and Tikki okay?! She’s my sugar cube!

 

He grabbed her face with his tiny little paws

 

”It doesn’t involve your relationship with Ladybug. Your relationship with Rose. Panthera’s relationship with Ladybug. OR Panthera’s relationship with Rose! I just love the Ladybug miraculous!” Plagg said, Juleka sighed with relief and nodded “You’ll be fine! You’re not inclined to like Ladybug because of soulmate shit!”

 

”Thank god..” she rubbed her eyes “I really don’t wanna get in the way with.. god her whole thing with Adrien- that seems complicated.. plus I really like Rose..“

 

The two went out to eat for a bit, before returning home for the evening. She was about to start homework but just then, an akuma alert snapped her out of her thoughts

 

”Betting you it’s reporter girl” Plagg scoffed,

 

”No time to check, Plagg Claws out!” Juleka shouted, and soon- was bounding across the city again.

 

The kwami was right. She didn’t pay attention to the news, but looks like cosplay was not on Chloe’s side today..

 

She landed on the Grand Paris’s roof, smiling at the sight of Ladybug’s frustrated pout- from here, they could see Chloe from a window with a familiar figure. Ladybug groaned, looking at Juleka

 

”Please tell me you don’t believe-“

 

”Don’t worry partner” Juleka winked, leaning against her pole “I find Miss Bourgious’s cosplay quite a-paw-ling actually- sorry that wasn’t a good pun, I could do better- please fur-get that one.”

 

”Ah jeez..” Ladybug rubbed her head “Come on, we gotta save Chloe, I can’t take this weirdness any longer..”

 

The two broke into the hotel, just in time to see an unmasked Chloe being held up by Lady WiFi

 

”FUCK” Chloe screamed, her face turning red with embarrassment

 

”No need to be embarrassed! Cosplay’s fun Chloe, no judgement” She purred, sending a wink at the blonde. Did I actually just do that oh my god she cringed in her mind,

 

”Who are you?!” Lady WiFi yelled, her voice wiped with confusion.

 

”The real deal!” Juleka grinned, her tail lashing as Ladybug just looked reeeal tired “I always thought you’d look purr-ety in black, Alya” she added with another wink. 

 

”T-Tch! What a tomcat.. Alya has been disconnected! I’m Lady Wifi now!” The lady blogger spat. She released Chloe, amd glared at her “I thought you were Ladybug!”

 

”Sorry for busting your whole news shtick Blogger- but it’s just some claws-play” Juleka quipped, “Get it? C-Claws? Cosplay?”

 

She was met with the unimpressed look of Lady WiFi, Chloe, and Ladybug.

 

”Kitty.. please stop..” Ladybug muttered

 

“Sorry, pun streak” she mumbled “‘had a good day..”

 

”Enough of this crap! Let’s see who really is Ladybug and Panthera Noir!” Lady WiFi yelled, pointing her phone at the two heroes. Chloe quickly ran away with embarrassment, falling on her ass, Juleka suppressed a smirk.

 

”Run!” Ladybug yelped, as the akuma shot blasts of purple energy from her phone. They ran down the hall, before slipping through a door, as the ladybug hero lead them down the stairs. 

 

”What’s the plan?!” She yelled, dodging a pink blast.

 

”Get to the basement! Her phone is the source of her powers, if we get her to the basement, the service won’t allow much to work with for her!” Ladybug grinned.

 

”And I thought I was the Clever Cat!” Juleka giggled, pulling Ladybug down to duck another blast, her ear twitched- as Alya’s face contorted with rage.

 

Juleka grinned, before jumping off the railing- she did a quick flip before landing at the basement. Her tail flicked as Ladybug slid down and blocked another blast.

 

”Impressive?” She asked

 

”Sure, don’t get distracted kitty” Ladybug said, before looking up and seeing Lady WiFi gone. “She went back to the hotel!”

 

“She didn’t take the bait!” She cursed. They ran up the stair well, Juleka growled in frustration as the bright purple locks flowed on every door “Damn it! She locked the doors! Damn it Alya.. if only she didn’t do that stupid thing in class..” she muttered

 

”In class? Wait- do you think we might..”

 

”Take a word of your own advice Partner, no distractions!” She snapped, pushing down her own curiosity as they kept running-  they reached a door that wasn’t locked. Her ears flattened against her head “This spells horror movie ambush”

 

”Most definitely, get ready!” Ladybug said, swinging her yo-yo. Juleka gripped her staff and smashed down the door. It was a dining room, completely empty, except the multiple phones put on every table.

 

”Oh yeah.. this smells like trouble..” She hissed, her tail lashing.

 

”Where could she be hiding?” Ladybug muttered, before approaching a table “And what’s with these phones?”

 

Juleka’s eyes widened. Her instincts were going crazy, she swerved around

 

”WAIT DON’T!” She yelled.

 

Lady WiFi burst out of the phone, her form flickering and solidifying from code. Ladybug squawked with surprise, and dodged a blow from the blogger.

 

Juleka threw herself onto the akuma, only for her to disappear in her arms.

 

”Shit..!” She cursed, standing up just in time to see a teleporting Alya side kick her into a table. Juleka wheezed in pain. Her vision blurred as she dodged another blast- Lady WiFi stumbled backwards, as Ladybug slowly smashed each phone.

 

Juleka pulled herself to her feet, as Ladybug started to enter the kitchen. She ran forward, before watching the doors slam on her face. Her ears flattened as she rubbed her nose.

 

”Damn it! How do I..” She looked down at her claws “Shouldn’t waste it..” she muttered, before seeing the service elevator “Perfect!”

 

She quickly tumbled into it, a few minutes passed as she clambered through, before opening it up in the kitchen- finding her partner pinned against the wall.

 

”Sorry, am I interrupting something?” Juleka asked, she rose an eyebrow at Ladybug “Didn’t take you for that kind of purr-son partner..”

 

”I-I’m not!” Ladybug yelped, face turning red. Lady WiFi growled, aiming her phone at Juleka.

 

She bounced around the kitchen, ducking under a few blasts before stumbling back into a room, she watched in horror as door slammed shut. Juleka fell to the floor, her eyes widened as she was overwhelmed by a bitter cold.

 

Lady Wifi watched from outside the freezer, turning the coldness level extremely high up before locking it’s function, leaving the goth to freeze.

 

”S-Shit.!” She yelped. Juleka couldn’t remember the next few moments. Just the overwhelming cold and ache in her bones.. Her suit really did not help.. “Ladybug.. if you can hear me.. please help me out? I.. uh..”

 

She slumped to the ground, she could see her breath now. Juleka looked at her hands, she was too tired to be shocked, there was frost covering her fingertips.

 

”How the hell is it that cold in here..” she muttered, she couldn’t summon her strength to form a cataclysm, as she shivered in the room. “damn it please don’t let me die like this.. this is so dumb..”

 

There was a loud explosion, as the door flung open- Juleka looked up, a wave of warmth hit her as she saw Ladybug. She quickly stood up and stumbled forward, crashing into the shorter girl

 

”Ffffuuuuckkk..” she groaned, still shivering.

 

”Panthera are you okay?!” Ladybug exclaimed, picking her up.

 

”R-Really not.. god I hope I don’t g-get a cold from that.. really sucks..” Her eyes widened, she eyed the red and black object that stood out in the room “s-shit.. your time limit.!”

 

”I know.. here’s the plan” Ladybug leaned to her.. cat ear? Juleka did her best to bend down “Cover the camera with a pan and with the time we have left, cataclysm the WiFi antenna! You’ve gotta be fast though.!”

 

”You can count on me partner..” she purred, her ear twitching. Juleka quickly executed the plan, giggling as she imagined Lady WiFi’s frustrated expression about the pot.

 

She quickly slide through the service elevator

 

”Wish me luck!” Juleka smiled, before disappearing and finding herself back in a hallway, met with another explosion. “Uh oh”

 

She quickly ran through the hotel, glancing back at the blood thirsty Akuma, before bursting out onto the roof tops. 

 

”Purr-fect!” She grinned as she ran over to the WiFi antenna. “Cataclysm!”

 

Juleka reached out to destroy it, before she heard someone running behind. She ducked down, narrowly avoiding the blast from Lady WiFi. She looked down at her still pulsing hand before jumping back.

 

”Nice try kitty cat! But I’m not letting you cut me off so easily!” Lady WiFi growled. Juleka quickly bounded over, she swiped her lug under the akuma and Alya fell backwards.

 

”Come on, don’t be like that- a lady as purr-ety as you shouldn’t make such a foul expression” Juleka purred, tilting Alya’s head up by the chin and staring at her with cold slit eyes.

 

”..L-lady.? P-Pretty.? I-Uh.. wow uh.. I mean-” Lady WiFi sputtered, face turning red under the mask.

 

”Charming I know” She winked, before jumping backwards and slamming her claws into the metal- watching the WiFi tower crumble away.

 

Juleka stepped back, impressed with her work before realizing what she said. Ohhhhhhh god I really am flirty as Panthera aren’t I? She realized with horror. Her ear twitched as Lady WiFi roared with rage

 

”My signal!” She yelled, staring at her now powerless phone. Ladybug burst through the doors, grinning

 

”Good job Kitty!” She grinned, before facing Alya again.

 

”Let’s end this this quickly..” Juleka hissed, her eyes darting at the phone. She quickly pounced on top of Lady WiFi, she wheezed in pain as the akuma kicked her straight in the stomach before shoving her off.

 

She fell to the floor, Ladybug’s yo-yo swung in front of her, blocking an attack from Lady WiFi again, before it swung again and cracked the phone out of her hand. Juleka quickly crawled over to it and smashed it to pieces.

 

”Partner!” She growled, staring at the butterfly

 

”Right! No more evildoing for you little akuma! Time to de-evilize!” Ladybug snatched it mid air, her yo-yo glowing “gotcha!”

 

Juleka lifted herself off the ground tiredly, leaning over and smiling as the white butterfly flapped past her.

 

”Bye bye little butterfly” Ladybug smiled, she lifted up her lucky charm “Miraculous Ladybug!”

 

A wave of warm magic washed over them, Juleka purred instinctively at the comfort, before coughing in her fist in embarrassment. The dark magic that hung over Alya bubbled away, leaving the dazed reporter on the ground. Juleka lifted up a fist, to which Ladybug returned it

 

”Pound it” they said, smiling.

 

”Uhh..” Alya groaned, looking around “Huh? What’s going.. Ladybug and Panthera Noir? No way! Wait.. what am I doing here.”

 

She looked down at the hotel to see the cops

 

”Nnnnoooooo...” she said, horror settling on her face “Damn it I got akumatized didn’t I! Lois Lane isn’t supposed to turn evil! Ugh damn it.. this is Chloe’s fault..” 

 

Juleka smirked before hearing a beeping noise

 

”Shit! Only a minute left..” She cursed, before turning to Alya “Hey Ladyblogger, you’re really headstrong and that’s cool, I think you’re a great reporter and Chloe did overreact at school- but you shouldn’t break into people’s stuff especially if they’re embarrassed about cosplaying” She said really quickly

 

”W-Huh?” Alya said, Ladybug tilted her head in confusion

 

”Okaybyepleasedon’trememberwhenIflirtedwithyou” Juleka mumbled, embarrassed, before grabbing Ladybug and running back into the hotel.

 

”Hurry we only got a minute.!” Ladybug said, before they stopped at a small supply closet. Juleka shoved the shorter girl inside

 

”I’ve got food on me, I can slink away as Panthera- hurry.!” She hissed. Ladybug looked nervously at her before closing the door. Juleka sighed, as she heard the detransformation. The was a twinge of wanting to open the door, but she quickly shut it completely “You good in there?”

 

”H-Huh? Yeah I’m good!” Ladybug’s voice said quickly, “You should go”

 

”Tell Plagg I said Hi!” A small squeaky voice said inside. Juleka blinked. Oh! Probably Tikki! She realized, smiling at how passionate Plagg got that morning.

 

“I will, he misses you lots Tikki” She said softly, before dashing away.

 

She made it outside into an alleyway before transforming, Plagg flew around her and smiled.

 

”Thanks Kit, you did great” He said, patting her cheek “And you’ve finally realized how much of a dirty flirt you are!” He cackled. Juleka’s face burned red,

 

”S-Shut up!” She sputtered “I’m so lucky Akuma victims don’t remember anything,.” She mumbled, before handing the kwami some cheese “I’m making one more stop as Panthera, eat up”

 

Plagg swallowed it whole, burping

 

The transformation was quick and easy, as she bounded out of the hotel, she smiled as she stared at the many cops surrounding the hotel, as Alya was escorted off the roof.

 

Juleka made eye contact with Chloe, who deflated on sight. She gave a quick wink why and bounded our of the scene. Her long hair fluttered in the wind, as she neared the house.

 

She stole another flower and silently set it on the window, Juleka could see Rose inside, working on homework. Juleka smiled lovingly, before knocking on the window three times. 

 

She turned to leave before hearing the window open hastily.

 

”Panthera Noir!” Rose exclaimed, face brightening

 

”Hello Princess” She purred, relaxing a bit as she settled on the roof “Guess you caught me”

 

”I guess so!” The blonde giggled, her cheeks turning a bit red “Uhhh.. Panthera Noir? Can I ask you something?”

 

”Shoot”

 

”O-Okay! So uh.. Areyoustraightsorryforassuming??” She squeaked. Juleka rose her eyebrows. So this is how it’s gonna go. Her tail flicked

 

”Ain’t an ounce of straight in me Princess” Juleka chuckled “I hope the authorities don’t think I’m some woman stealing tomcat after tonight..”

 

”Huh?” Rose blushed “Woman stealing? What do you mean?”

 

Juleka smirked

 

”I’m not gonna steal you” Juleka reassured, before lowering her voice into a husky whisper “I just complimented tonight’s latest Akuma- Alya I think? I complimented her really nicely and her reaction was amusing” 

 

The blonde stared at her, cheeks turning red a bit. She’s never looked at me like that before she thought

 

”How?” She asked. Juleka’s eyes widened a bit. Her tail lashed

 

”Well, first, I swept her off her feet, then I tilted her head up” Juleka lifted Rose’s chin up slowly, between her two claws, she leaned close “..and I just simply told her how pretty she looked”

 

There was a deep silence, Rose’s sapphire eyes were completely blown open.

 

”U-Uhh..” Juleka’s face turned red, quickly pulling away “S-Sorry Rose! I didn’t mean to a-actually flirt with you like t-that, I mean I did b-but I didn’t mean to make you mad o-or anything- I went in y-your personal space u-uh,.. sorry..”

 

Rose is never gonna talk to me again oh god she hates me

 

The blonde let out a soft laugh, her cheeks glowing a bright pink

 

”No no it’s okay!” She grinned “Sorry I just stopped functioning a bit, I liked it” she picked up the rose gingerly “I just realized that you aren’t as flirtatious and cunning as I thought you were, I thought you were the absolute Cat Prince Charming but..”

 

Rose smiled softly, staring at the flower lovingly

 

”..You’re actually just a soft and adorable kitten on the inside..” Rose said.

 

Juleka’s heart beat out of her chest, she squealed slightly, covering her face with embarrassment. Her face beet red. Oh god did it get hot in here ahaah She could hear Rose chuckling

 

”Damn it.. I’m supposed to be making you swoon.. now look at me..” Juleka said, completely flustered. She looked up at Rose’s soft face “..god you’re a special one aren’t you.. you’re my favorite fan, Princess..”

 

Rose squeaked, cheeks burning a bright pink again. Juleka smiled. I’ll tell her when I defeat Hawkmoth.. she thought. She coughed in her fist, standing up

 

”Leaving already?” Rose teased

 

”Yeah, it’s getting late, you should rest” Juleka said, ear twitching “I’ll return again, Princess” she added, turning to leave

 

”Bye Panthera Noir” Rose waved. Juleka nodded, and bounded into the moonlight.

 

Then, a familiar red figure caught her attention. She landed on a small roof, where Ladybug sat. She slowly walked over, barely making a sound as she leaned close

 

”Hello Partner” 

 

The ladybug hero squeaked, swerving around

 

”O-Oh! Panthera! Nice to see you!” Ladybug smiled “Thought you were going home?”

 

”Charmed indeed, and no, had to make a quick stop and I saw you on my way home” Juleka purred, fidgeting with her hair as her cheeks felt hot. Ladybug pitted the ground next to her, she sat down and swung her legs over the edge

 

”Did you visit the girl you like?” Ladybug asked. Juleka nodded

 

”Yeah” She smiled. There was a hint of fear in Ladybug’s eyes “Don’t worry, she doesn’t know- I’m planning on telling her the day we kick Hawkmoth’s ass into jail!”

 

Ladybug smiled and nodded. The two sat in silence, soaking in the moonlight and glow of the city.

 

”So..” she said, ears twitching “Did you know of Adrien Agreste’s rumored celebrity crush?” She asked

 

”He has a crush on someone?!” Ladybug squeaked, Juleka chuckled

 

”Basically” Juleka drawled, “..heard him going on and on about how ‘wonderful and brave’ she is. How ‘he hopes to find whoever is under the mask’ because of how in awe he is by how she saves the city every day”

 

Ladybug blinked

 

”..you..?”

 

Juleka face palmed

 

”W-What? No??” Juleka said “I was literally referring to you? I heard him say-“ she might her voice go really high “‘God Ladybug is so amazing! I wish I was Panthers Noir so I could hang out with her! She’s so awe inspiring!’”

 

”N-No way.!” Ladybug exclaimed. Juleka’s ear twitched

 

”Trust me Partner, kid’s got the biggest puppy crush on you” She grinned “Wonder how long it’ll take him to find out how to open that suit-“

 

”Panthera!” Ladybug yelled, face completely red.

 

Juleka cackled as she quickly launched off the roof, as the two heroes of Paris chased each other through the night.

 

 

Chapter 6: Lemon Cake

Chapter Text

 

Juleka stared at the glowing city, her tail flicking.

 

She considered going home, but she knew her mother was out on the town- and Luka was tutoring a classmate, leaving an empty house. You’d think someone like her would enjoy the silence, but no, an empty and quiet boat left Juleka to panic,

 

She hated being alone, it made her feel the most invisible. She shivered, as a small gust of wind pushed her long hair off her shoulders. It didn’t help that Rose was busy too, apparently a family game night.

 

At least some people on the ground noticed her, waving excitedly at the hero, some taking videos. She waved to them politely, laughing as one of them requested her to do a flip- which she nailed!

 

Juleka’s ear twitched, as someone landed softly on the roof. Her head swerved around to see Ladybug. Her lips curled up into a smile, fangs glinting in the moonlight,

 

”Hey Partner” She greeted curtly, Ladybug nodded to her

 

”Panthera” She said, giving a small curtesy, before asking “Out on a patrol?”

 

The black cat shook her head, as she trotted over to the shorter girl. She leaned on her shoulder, feeling her partner brush her hands through her hair. Juleka thought briefly about pulling away but she decided she'd trust her with the contact. 

 

”Sorry, I’m a bit clingy” Juleka apologized briefly before going on, “Also no, my family is busy and I don’t like being left home alone.”

 

”Aw, poor kitty- what about your mystery girl?” Ladybug cooed, Juleka shook her head.

 

”Also busy, what about you?” She purred. Her friend shrugged.


”The Ladyblog caught you swinging around town, so I came to see what you were doing” She said, before smiling. Ladybug gave a playful bump to her hip making Juleka giggle, as their height difference made it feel more like a thigh bump. “Besides, we both agreed to hang out more, right?”

 

”I’m so fur-tunate to have such a nice partner” Juleka smirked, before motioning to the next roof. The two skipped across the cityscape chatting vaguely about their day.

 

The two stopped nearby the Dupain-Cheng bakery after the cat had expressed her sudden urge to eat. Ladybug seemed apprehensive, before Juleka reminded that it they were protected by magic.

 

The ladybug heroine didn’t go in, but asked for an order regardless. Juleka though, had skipped inside eagerly. Her mask as Panthera Noir had completely pushed down her fear of confronting the lovely bakers as she strutted into the warm atmosphere.

 

Many customers who were still around gawked at her appearance, some taking videos, and she thanked Plagg for giving her such a comfortable and not literally a onesie suit design. Mrs. Cheng stared at her with surprise, as she asked her order

 

”I didn’t know how had the same taste as my daughter” The woman chuckled as she backed the croissant into a bag and handing her a small box for the cake. Lucky Marinette lived eating like this her entire life,

 

”Oh that’s not my order, it’s Ladybug’s- my order is the lemon cake- however I like your food all the same” Juleka smiled politely, before her ears flattened as she reached for her non existent wallet “Uh oh.”

 

”It’s fine dear, your Paris’s heroes! It’s on the house! Although I’m worried why you’re eating so late, you’re as thin as a stick!” The woman exclaimed, looking her up and down. Juleka paled a bit, before sheepishly smiling.

 

”I’ll pay you back I promise.. thank you so much” She said, bowing a little, before scampering out of the bakery. Ladybug turned, licking her lips hungrily as she smelt the delivered pastries.

 

The two sat down comfortably on the roof, eating happily.

 

”May I know more about my partner under the mask?” She asked, with a mouthful of cake in her mouth. Ladybug chuckled,

 

”Depends on what you ask Kitty” Ladybug smiled, taking a bite out of her food.

 

”Hmm, let’s see- What’s your favorite color?” She asked,

 

”Pink! But I also like green.. ooh but gold is-“ Ladybug pouted “Okay- yes.. Pink is my favorite but I’ve got an eye for fashion so I can’t super decide” 

 

“Fashion?” Juleka tilted her head. Ladybug winced, kicking herself a little before nodding

 

”Yeahh, I wanna be a fashion designer when I get older, and I’m like a fourth of the way there? But this whole super hero stuff can be shed to balance” Her partner groaned “I don’t regret being Ladybug, but I probably seem really flakey.”

 

”That’s rough buddy” Juleka chuckled, her ear twitching. “Okay, that was a pretty revealing question sorry- you can ask something if you want in return”

 

Ladybug smiled, putting a finger to her chin thoughtfully before nodding

 

”I've- kinda wondered; But what’s your eye color? Is it actually green?” The ladybug hero asked, Juleka rose an eyebrow

 

”Copper-ish? It’s actually pretty red, I don’t know why?” She said slowly. Her eyes were quite weird in her opinion... Juleka gulped down the last bit of the cake. It was absolutely delicious and she promised to herself to return. Ladybug squinted at her before nodding

 

”Hmm, yeah I can see that” Ladybug said, taking another bite “Sorry, it’s just that- your eyes are super green when transformed, but there’s like a small bit of reddish color in there and I was wondering if your eyes were actually green.”

 

”Well- I can promise you that my eyes are slitted either” Juleka chuckled, tail flicking around “Which would be cool, but super revealing if you think about it.”

 

Ladybug nodded before grumbling

 

”True, but at least your costume is cool, I’m literally wearing a onesie with just spots on it. Just spots. It’s so boring and my fashion heart cries every time I transform” Ladybug whined, as she stretched a hand out.

 

Juleka laughed, tail lashing

 

”It’s not that bad!” She said. Ladybug shook her head

 

”It is! No offense to Tikki, but I kinda hate this outfit.. I-It feels so revealing..” She still groaned. Juleka patted her partner on the back sympathetically and Ladybug looked up at her with a huff. “Was it you or Plagg that decided on your costume?”

 

”Plagg didn’t say anything about it, so I think it was me who made it like this- really suits my edgy aesthetic” She smirked, as she motioned to the studded belt and lace “I bet you could redesign your outfit if you asked”

 

Ladybug nodded, a small smile playing across her lips. Juleka could see a small spark of inspiration flashing across her bluebell eyes before closing and looking over

 

”Why do you know everything?” She asked rhetorically, leaning into her knee.

 

”Pfft, I don’t know everything” Juleka retorted, leaning back comfortably. She smirked playfully, even letting out a laugh. “I’m just very- very laidback, even though inside; I’m absolutely exploding from my crippling anxiety”

 

However Ladybug frowned

 

”..Are you okay?”

 

Her emerald eyes a widened a bit before softening at her.

 

”I- P-Probably.,?” She drawled, her ears flattened a bit, suddenly quite uncomfortable. “I-I’ve just.. gotta not make a fool of m-myself.. hah..”

 

She murmured the last end of it and Ladybug fell silent, before patting her back softly

 

”I’m here if you want to talk” Her partner said quietly. Juleka looked away.

 

”It’s okay, I’ll be okay” she lied, her eyes narrowing “I’ve got my support- but she probably is annoyed by me..” 

 

“Mystery girl?”

 

Juleka nodded shallowly 

 

”I don’t think she’d be annoyed by you, I bet she loves you” Ladybug said, before brightening “Oh! How about you tell me about her! Don’t say any names- but I’d love to know more about you and her!”

 

Her lips tugged into a smile

 

”She’s wonderful.” Juleka said breathlessly, staring out at Paris. The image of Rose’s cheerful smile making her heart flutter, the way she knew how to comfort the goth, how her big blue eyes just seemed to make the world away

 

“She’s bubbly, it feels like fireworks are going off inside my heart.. she knows me as much as I know her and-“ She smiled softly “She just means everything to me..”

 

”That’s so romantic” Ladybug said, playing with Juleka’s hair.

 

”Mmhm, she’s practically the opposite of me but we make it work- she adores the color pink, and is obsessed with fairy tale romances-“ Juleka began to ramble “Yesterday she was talking about this vampire novel, I don’t remember a thing because I kept getting lost in her eyes..” she sighed ”Sorry, I don’t mean to ramble, she’s just.. so lovely..”

 

Her partner laughed, petting the goth’s hair softly 

 

“It’s okay! I’m glad we’re able to connect like this.. hmm” She played with Juleka’s bangs “What’s your favorite color?”

 

”Purple, bet you couldn’t guess that” she smirked, motioning at the dyed ends.

 

”Had no idea” Ladybug giggled.

 

The two lost track of time, as they talked on and on through the night. It was a good choice to hang out, as a loud explosion interrupted them. They stood up, as they watched an akuma burst onto the street.

 

”Time for business Kitty!” Ladybug grinned “This’ll be the last appearance of this outfit! I promise you, Ladybug’s going to get the biggest fashion makeover after this!”

 

“I’ll hold you to that!” Juleka grinned, as the two heroes rushed into the fight.

 

...

 

The other time she visited the bakery, it was packed with people- it really didn’t help when she entered as Panthera Noir. She really should stop traveling around so casually as her hero persona..

 

Poor Mrs. Cheng was being hounded by a determined Alya and a sheepish Marinette behind the counter.

 

It as worse when someone saw her, and announced her existence. Her ears flattened as the ladyblogger swerved around, eyes widening with excitement as she saw Juleka.

 

”Panthera Noir! The rumors are true! You really do come here! Are you a regular? Do you know the Dupain-Chengs?! D-“ Alya exclaimed, whipping out her phone. Juleka paled, 

 

”U-Uh.. I..” She said dryly, ears twitching “I just came.. for lemon cake..? Oh, and to pay Mrs. Cheng back for last time, I forgot to pay I’m so sorry..” she turned to the woman for help

 

Luckily, Marinette’s mother only smiled warmly at her

 

”Like I said, it’s alright- will Ladybug be joining us sometime soon?” She asked cheekily. Marinette got really red for some reason..

 

”Hah! Not until she gets a new outfit” Juleka smiled, doing her best to ignore Alya’s trembling and the regulars shock “Me and my partner really enjoyed your food, thank you.”

 

She payed for her food and turned to leave, before Alya grabbed onto her tail

 

”W-Wait Miss Panthera Noir can I get an interview!” She exclaimed, Juleka nervously looked down at her cake and the pleading look on Alya’s face. Marinette was pulling on Alya’s arm

 

”Come on Als.. I think we’re bothering her..” the blunette said. The goth took a deep breath, but before she could answer, the bakery shook as an akuma darted across the street, leaving a path of fire.

 

She snarled, turning to the bakery

 

”Take cover! I’ll go handle it!” She yelled, Juleka shoved the cake into Alya’s arms before running outside. One of these days she was going to eat peacefully..

 

Juleka spun around a pole, before launching through the air and landing gracefully onto the street lamp.

 

The akuma skidded to a stop, staring at her with a deep bloodlust

 

”Look what the cat dragged in! Speedstar is here and going to take your miraculous or else it’s bye bye to Paris!” The akuma yelled, Juleka rolled her eyes.

 

”Sure whatever! I’m going to need you to slow your roll!” She yelled, running across the city. Her tail lashed as she saw the akuma race after her, leaving a trail of flames, it crashed into a wall when she suddenly jerked to the side “That was an illegal left by the way!”

 

Exhaustion began to take her though, as she dragged the fight towards the park. Juleka smirked as the akuma’s legs were suddenly swept beneath them- tied by a yo-yo.

 

”Sorry for the wait! I had to make up an excuse to get away from my house- and you have no idea how hard it is when you’re choosing your new outfit!” Ladybug’s voice echoed through the park, her partner landed right next to the black cat, outfit updated indeed.

 

What was once a boring and tight costume- had changed to look much more stylish and suited for battle. The suit just looked more comfortable in general, Ladybug now had black sleeves that reached up to her elbows. She gained black shoulder pads and up to her knees, were black boots.

 

Her onesie was now just tights with black accents and a few spots, while her top was now a loose fitted but sturdy long sleeve. Her collar was black, and continued down to her chest. There were two spots on each side of her front, and her back had a black and red pattern that reminded Juleka of a beetle’s shell and wings.

 

Instead of a flimsy string holding her yo-yo, there was now an actual black belt with red stitching that hung around Ladybug’s hip, plus her partner’s once short red ribbons had extended.

 

Feline fashionable Partner?” Juleka smirking, the girl rolled her eyes, before smiling

 

”I feel so much better..” Ladybug said “Now I know you want that Lemon cake, so let’s finish this fast!”

 

They launched into battle, Alya was going to go crazy over this..

 

Chapter 7: The Bubbler

Chapter Text



Marinette landed on the roof with a thud, a large grin on her face.

 

”Adrien’s birthday is tomorrow!” She squealed happily, dancing around on the shingles. Panthera landed after her, looking up at her amusedly, her eyebrow quirked up.

 

”I’m aware” She purred, tail curling around teasingly “My class is filled with some.. avid fans”

 

Her eyes narrowed a bit, there were times like these where she wished she knew who her partner was. Alya was a great friend but the cat hero had become such a rock in Marinette’s double life.

 

Her curiosity doubled when Panthera had accidentally cursed out at Lady WiFi- saying something along the lines of ‘Damn it Alya.. if only she didn’t do that stupid thing in class..’

 

Perhaps she should take her own words of advice, she was the more cautious about sharing identities between the duo. Still, it hurt to be so close but so distant from her feline friend.

 

”Any competition I should worry about?” She smiled. Panthera laughed, skipping over to her, shoulders brushing briefly, before she spun around to look at her.

 

”Nothing Paris’s star can’t handle, the boy does have a celebrity crush on you” The cat tilted her head mischievously. Marinette’s face flushed a bright pink.

 

”N-No way! I refuse to believe you!” She squeaked, covering her face. Her cheeks were as bright as her mask. Panthera rolled her emerald eyes.

 

”Suit yourself Partner” Panthera said, flicking her cat bell “However I will say- next time the lover boy is in danger, I’m not gonna save him, he’s your problem”

 

”Panthera!” Marinette exclaimed, the cat laughed, bouncing to another roof- as the two heroes ran through the city. 

 

...

 

Juleka stared at the sketch, it wasn’t perfect by all means, but she quite liked it. Besides, it was okay if she wasn’t the best at drawing, music was more her taste anyways.


She hummed thoughtfully, school hadn’t been too bad- Chloe had been extra clingy to Adrien today but that just made sense, there was a sense of fire in her eyes as she asked- no-

 

She practically interrogated him, whispering ‘Uncle Gabriel was going to celebrate his birthday- right? right?‘, the look of sad acceptance on Adrien’s face enraged Chloe, who demanded that a father should celebrate his son’s birthday.

 

Juleka groaned, she saved that nugget of implied history later. She really didn’t want to read too much into it, Chloe was easier to just hate, but it didn’t stop the goth from having doubts on the why behind it-

 

She especially didn’t want to think about how when Chloe calmed down, she had leaned close to Adrien, voice soft, and told him that his mother would be happy that he got new friends. His mother.. 

 

”Whatcha drawing Juleka?” Rose’s peppy voice asked, it pulled her out of her thoughts.

 

”A rose” she smiled playfully, holding up the picture for her friend to see. Juleka pursed her lips together as the blonde looked at the drawing fondly. Plagg snickered behind her ear.

 

”Aw it’s beautiful Juleka! I-“ Rose said, before her eyes drifted from the paper to behind the goth “-Is that.. Nino?”

 

Juleka turned. Strange. The dj boy was planning on meeting Adrien’s dad- the things you learn when no one noticed you..- the goth’s eyes narrowed as she saw him pull out his bubbles. 

 

”Guess things didn’t work out well..” she murmured, pulling at the grass beneath them- she could hear the sounds of a crying son and an angry father a little ways off- Nino noticed it and grimaced.

 

”How can you tell?” Rose asked, tilting her head

 

She glanced at Rose before her gaze returned to her classmate,

 

”I notice things..” she mumbled.

 

She squinted her eyes carefully before they widened with fright as she saw the dark moth flutter towards the bubble solution he was holding. Juleka spun around to Rose, dropping her sketchbook in a panic

 

”Rose we need to go.!” She yelled, as the once lovable dj let out a dark laugh at the edge of the park, before a dark energy bubbled over him.

 

Juleka barely had time to look back as she saw a brightly colored akuma take his place. He looked.. oh god he looked like a clown.

 

This sucked. This really really sucked. Nino had blasted through the air, and soon the sky was filled with gigantic bubbles,

 

Luka immediately called her and told her with a shaking voice that Anarka had been suddenly sucked up into a bubble. Up in the sky were thousands of green bubbles, with thousands of adults inside, screaming.

 

Her blood ran cold, hand wrapped around Rose. The girl was crying as she struggled to contact her own parents, no, nothing worked. Nothing fucking worked.

 

”J-Juleka my.. my mom she..” Rose trembled, “W-We.. she,, oh god..”

 

Juleka’s heart ached, she needed to get away to transform- but Rose she.. she.. She couldn’t leave a Rose alone like this.

 

She grabbed her hands softly, summoning her calmest and clearest voice, which was still shaking, she spoke-

 

”Rose it’s gonna be okay, they’re gonna be okay, P-Panthera Noir and Ladybug will save them“ She said, grip tightening “For now we need to-“

 

PARTY TIME!

 

Juleka spun around, barely suppressing the snarl that rippled in her throat, as Nino loomed above them. Rose screamed in terror as he held out his bubble saber menacingly, which was impressive, cause he still looked like a clown.

 

But his eyes- his eyes were what scared her. They were full of insanity.

 

“Rose run!” She hissed, grabbing the blonde’s wrist to pull her away, but it was too late. She cling onto Rose tightly as they were rocketed through the air, her eyes opened as The Bubbler slammed into the ground and set them down,

 

They were gathered with her classmates, all looking terrified. Juleka cursed. She wouldn’t be able to get away like this.. even with her habit of disappearing normally, someone would notice, and if not- Rose would be clinging to her side this entire time.

 

Her eyes wandered across the area, it was definitely a birthday party, for who it was- it was obvious. Juleka grimaced, she hated these kind of parties.. 

 

Nino went on and on about his Bubbler Party rules and how they’d make it the best party ever, his over excited and jovial voice making Juleka want to strangle him. I wonder if I can stab him with his bubble sword.. she wondered, before shaking off the thought. 

 

Juleka decided to ignore him, and instead she stared at the shitty gram crackers and granola bars on the table- what the fuck am I supposed to do with this?! She screamed internally. Looks like Nathaniel had the same question as he glared at the poor attempt at food.

 

Fucking- She was supposed to be the wallflower! That was her fucking thing! Her whole gig! That’s her trope! Character description! Whatever! 

 

She’s supposed to show up a party, glue herself to the snack table, dramatically eat said snacks, and then cry herself to sleep cause she didn’t get enough courage to ask the cute blonde girl who’s her best friend on a fucking date!

 

Wow okay that got a little personal.

 

Juleka looked over at Rose again, who was breathing heavily. She quickly moved to comfort her, grabbing her hand and giving an encouraging smile. Meanwhile, her classmates look heavily uncomfortable.

 

Chloe was scowling at the giant clown, Sabrina was clinging to Chloe like a koala, Ivan was standing near Mylene, Alix was struggling to stand still, and Alya looked distraught. Wait- she looked around. Where’s Marinette..?

 

She wasn’t able to look around for long, as a wide grin spread across The Bubbler’s face. It was.. actually kind of scary, he looked unhinged- unlike the other akumas in the class- Stoneheart and Lady Wifi, who either just had a rock as a head or was more focused on being dramatic- Nino looked both inhuman and human at the same time.


Cause like- Lady WiFi was just Alya in a suit- and Juleka could rant for hours and how all of the female akuma designs were just pretty ladies in different clothes- while Stone Heart was literally a rock monster, no one could tell it was Ivan cause he was just- rocks.

 

Wait, what was she talking about? Oh yeah, Nino. Bubbler. Threatening clown man. She can’t run away to transform. Great.

 

”Showtime dudes! Let’s take this party sky high!” He exclaimed, before his expression darkening as he motioned to his saber, it was a warning “Or else.”

 

Rose sucked in a breath, looking at Juleka one last time, before the courtyard doors opened. Adrien slumped through, his face fallen and broken, before looking up with both a mix of horror and confusion. The class cheered ‘happy birthday!’ clapping excitedly as he entered. Juleka’s cheeks hurt from pretending to smile, she bet the others were too.

 

”Hey hey hey Birthday boy!” Nino grinned, it hurt, cause his smile was genuine now “Guess what? Daddy’s gone. While the cat’s away, the mice will play!”

 

”Nino?” He questioned, as the Akuma danced in front of him. Juleka suppressed another snarl. Cat’s away huh? You have no idea.. she thought. The Bubbler bounced excitedly

 

“The Bubbler’s brought all your homies together for one single sole purpose: to ce-le-brate!” the Bubbler exclaimed, pumping his fist into the air as her classmates cheered. He did a back flip (dope) off his bubble and landed at the dj booth “Let’s get this party started!”

 

Damn it this was annoying.. she thought, as she danced uncomfortably. She tuned out whatever the Bubbler was threatening, her attention wrapped around Rose and how she could escape. The city needed Panthera..

 

What hurt most was how happy Adrien looked.

 

“Hey! Nice party,” Adrien said, sliding to Rose. Juleka grimaced as the blonde smiled weakly and gave a weak thumbs up  “I guess, since it’s my first one.” he chuckled, as he danced around excitedly. The goth quickly shuffled towards Rose, giving her an encouraging smile.

 

”She’ll save us..” she whispered assuringly. She’ll save us.. Ladybug will save us.. because Panthera Noir got wrapped up in the party.. she thought.

 

All hope seemed lost as the music suddenly changed, Juleka cringed as it was.. ugh slow dance. She wasn’t sure who forced to dance with first, maybe Nathaniel for a while, then she realized her arms were suddenly hiked up and now she was dancing with Kim. God she was uncomfortable, and she definitely wasn’t going to be able to transform like this..

 

Her gaze followed Rose carefully, the blonde had been swept away by another equally scared classmate, while Adrien was dancing with Chloe. Normally, Juleka would’ve written this off as ‘ugh classic chloe of course she’d do something like this’- but she could hear her whispering.

 

It was low, and she slowly and discreetly danced Kim towards the two, Her eyebrow twitched as she listened in.

 

”..you need to go adrien.. you need to fucking run” Chloe hissed, her tone was dark and.. fearful. The blond boy looked distraught

 

”Chloe I..”

 

”You’re the only one he’d let go just run..!”

 

Juleka was forced to keep quiet. So it seemed the rich girl had some.. huh.. more purer intentions than she thought, okay, cool, fine, fun.

 

A blur of red caught the edge of her eyes. She turned her head slightly to see Ladybug, oh thank god she’s here, then she watched as her partner threw a record and the music changed, and Chloe shoved Adrien away. Then.. Ladybug left.

 

She was forced to awkwardly dance again as she watched her only hope run and not return. PARTNER WAIT! PARTNER NO COME BACK I- fucking damn it, her gaze lingered on Chloe again before drifting across the shed and seeing- Marinette?

 

When the hell did she- where was- what the fuck?

 

Her legs were tired and she was really reaching her last straw here. She looked up at the sky, the bubbles drifting farther and farther into the sky. Honestly? Sounded more pleasing. Then- Ivan caught her eye, he was leaning against the wall, glaring at the party with his arms crossed.

 

This was her only chance, there was a risk, but her only chance. Juleka drifted over, leaning against the wall as well. Rose’s head turned in the crowd, and stared at her with wide and fearful eyes. The goth’s chest tightened, there was a chance of death in this, and this was going to hurt her..

 

As the bubbler made his way over, Juleka made her prayers and hoped this would work, as she stared down the akuma. And hey, if she did die, at least exploding in space would be pretty sick.

 

”Why aren’t you dancing?” The Bubbler growled, Juleka glared at him, her hands twitched.

 

”None of your business.” Ivan said dryly, he glanced at the goth briefly, before staring back at the Bubbler. The akuma grimaced

 

”Then I’m gonna make it my business!” He yelled, and grabbed onto his wand, he slashed it through the air and a large bubble was sent flying towards the large boy. Sorry Ivan! She yelled in her mind, as she shoved him out of the way.

 

Her feet left the ground as she was enveloped by a green force, her eyes opened and she found herself floating inside the bubble. She was starting to regret her decision. Juleka slammed her hands against the bubble, and her heart began to race as she started to float upwards.

 

Rose was screaming, running towards her, before being pulled back by Ivan and Nathaniel. Her chest tightened, she could see the fear and rage split across the blondes face, as she began to drift higher and higher. Marinette and Adrien looked horrified

 

The bubbler laughed as he kicked the bubble out of the courtyard and across the city. She tumbled around inside the bubble, as she looked down at the shrinking Paris. Plagg flew out of her jacket


“What were you thinking?! Now we’re trapped in here!” He yelled, waving his paws around angrily. Juleka’s eyes narrowed

 

”We had to get away somehow, I bet Panthera Noire could help us get out, don’t you think?” She said, before lifting up her ring “Plagg, claws out!”

 

The transformation washed over her as she slammed her claws against the side,

 

”Cataclysm!” She yelled, as it popped around her, making her slam onto a roof top with a thump. She detransformed and fed Plagg quickly, before transforming again “Gotta save Rose..”

 

She quickly ran back, tail lashing with rage. She was definitely gonna put a bit more force behind her punches this time.. she saw Ladybug standing above the courtyard and her heart soared. Thank fucking god.

 

Her classmates were partying as Adrien stood up front, they were forcing a cheer and it seemed like Ivan was missing now too. She landed next to Ladybug, who shot her a quick glance, before the red hero announced their presence.

 

”Sorry Bubbler! But the party is over!” Ladybug yelled, swinging her yo-yo around and demolishing the music equipment, which made Juleka cringe a bit, but at least it stopped the music.

 

”Why you gotta be like that?” Nino drawled, raising an eyebrow annoyedly. 

 

”No one’s feline like partying now Bubble Boy, especially with their parents being sent to space” She hissed, flicking her bangs out of her face. 

 

Her classmates cheered with excitement, and Juleka smirked as she saw the light blush on Adrien and Rose’s face, however it fell as she saw the tears in Rose’s eyes. She was going to fix this..

 

”You will not bust up my party!” Nino roared, as he whipped out his sword.

 

The two girls rushed towards Nino, she swung her baton around as a wave of bubbles were launched towards her. Cheers we’re replaced with screams as the students ran away for cover.

 

Ladybug threw her yo-yo forward, and Juleka watched as it was launched back by a bubble, she quickly swung at it, launching it upwards before it could smack them in the face.

 

Fur-tunate to have me here Partner?” She quipped, ear twitching.

 

”Always Kitty” Ladybug giggled, before catching the yo-yo in her hand. Nino’s face was governed by a butterfly outline before he roared with rage, he threw his bubble filled backpack forward and a hurricane of bubbles was launched towards them. With her back against Ladybug, the two stood their ground against Nino’s attack.

 

Then, The Bubbler chuckled. Juleka’s ears perked upwards and stared in horror as the akuma snapped. She wasn’t sure what happened next, but suddenly the world around her had turned tight and green again- great, trapped in a bubble.

 

She tried to move but found her legs tangled with Ladybug, who looked even more confused. GREAT! TRAPPED IN A TIGHT BUBBLE WITH HER PARTNER! That sure helped.

 

She hated how comprising this position was too- wait never mind don’t think about that, think about the bubble Juleka, think about the bubble.

 

”Give me your miraculouses before you run out of air!” Nino snarled, waving his wand in the air. Ladybug glanced at Juleka before sitting up

 

“Dream on, Bubbler!” She yelled, banging her arms against the green bubble.

 

The Bubbler scoffed, tilting his head up with annoyance “Total party poopers, just like adults!”

 

Bratty much? The goth wondered, ear twitching. 

 

Kids need adults!” Ladybug shouted, grimacing.



False! Kids need freedom, fun, let loose and live it up. Adults are controlling and bossy.” Nino scoffed, eyes narrowing. 

 

But adults keep children safe and protected. They care for their kids, they love them!“ Her partner argued back, rage rippling through her voice. Juleka sneered to herself a little.

 

Not all adults- christ- imagine if dad got that memo., She thought to herself, He sure did love the kid making process more than the outcome that’s for sure. Huh, he’s probably sitting in a cold prison hole right now and I wouldn’t even know, hah. Good. Asshole deserves it. 

 

There was a long silence as Ladybug, The Bubbler, and a few peeping classmates stared at her.

 

”Uhh.. what? Why’d we stop bantering?” She said confusedly, ears flattening

 

”Panthera, are you okay?” Ladybug asked, concern swelling in her voice as she put a hand on the cat’s back.


“H-Huh yeah I’m good why? What’s going on?” Juleka said, raising an eyebrow. The bubbler just kind of stared at her with an almost sympathetic gaze.

 

“D-Dudette, I don’t know what to tell you- but that wasn’t an internal dialogue.” He said flatly, scratching the back of his head.



oh. OH. SHIT.

 

”O-Ohhhhhhh fuck..“ She said, covering her red face. Oh. God. Whoops. Fuck man. “U-Uh sorry?”

 

”Panthera are you having trouble at home? You okay?” Ladybug said, looking absolutely concerned. Juleka's eyes widened.

 

Nope. Nope. Don’t wanna talk about this right now nope. Not right now. NOPE.

 

”T-That’s a can of worms for another day- BUBBLER RELEASE THE ADUTLS THIS IS MILDLY FUCKED UP!” She yelled, slamming her hands against the bubble. The akuma glared at her, whatever sympathetic feelings he held were gone, as he was snapped back to reality.

 

“No way! Since you care so much about these adults, why don't you go float with them for a while!?” He glowered, before running forward and kicking them into the atmosphere. She could heard Adrien and Rose scream their names, as the party was lost from her view.

 

Juleka and Ladybug screamed as they were launched higher and higher, she could see the louvre becoming the size of her palm, and the Eiffel Tower was getting tinnier by the second.

 

”Panthera your-“ Ladybug started,

 

Cataclysm! Got it!” She growled, her claws burst with energy as she popped the bubble open, releasing them- but also sending them plummeting towards the ground. They fell through the air, Juleka snarled as her hair fluttered through the wind. “Partner!” She yelled

 

”Got it!” Ladybug said, eyes searching around before turning to the Eiffel Tower “There! Your staff!” She exclaimed, Juleka nodded and chucked it towards the edge, Ladybug quickly wrapped an arm around end waist and sent her yo-yo out, swinging them to the ground.

 

They rolled against the pavement before springing to their feet, Ladybug tossed her the staff.

 

”Rough landing” She hissed wryly, looking down at her beeping ring “We need to hurry, Partner.”

 

Ladybug stared at her before nodding “I’m not letting that dad comment from earlier leave my mind just saying”. Juleka cringed a bit before sighing

 

”A conversation for later then, let’s move” She hissed, 

 

...

 

The two landed back at the courtyard, as The Bubbler attempted to order her classmates around again

 

”Sorry to burst your bubble!” Ladybug exclaimed, the students glowed with excitement

 

”Ladybug!” Alya exclaimed, pointing at her partner. The class began to cheer the blunette’s name with excitement- perhaps Juleka felt a twinge if jealousy, but she pushed it down to feel proud of Ladybug instead. Besides, her partner seemed to be excited that Adrien was cheering the loudest.

 

She glanced at the students, before meeting Rose’s eyes again. The blonde stared at her and grinned, mouthing the words ‘panthera’. Her heart swelled. That was enough for her. Ladybug smiled at Juleka before putting on a brave smile and looking down on the akuma.

 

”No one wants to party with you Bubbler!” She said, puffing out her chest.

 

”What’s wrong with you guys.?! All of you are such haters! I’m just trying to make Adrien happy!” Nino yelled in a rage, before lashing his sword out and sending a bubble to each and every person.

 

Noo!” Juleka and Ladybug shrieked, as the bubbles started to fly upwards, the teenagers inside screaming with terror. Her eyes met Rose’s again, the blonde’s eyes were wide and full of tears and she mouthed the words ‘save me’.

 

“Outer space is the next stop for your precious peeps, and they're never coming back!” The Bubbler said darkly, before bouncing off.

 

The goth snarled, as she chased after Nino. All she saw was red.

 

”NINO!” She roared, chasing him through the city with Ladybug close behind. She landed on top of the Eiffel Tower, he stared down at her with a smirk on his face. He threw an exploding bubble down at her feet but she quickly dodged, claws digging into the ground.

 

“You’ve really made my day awful you bubble shitting bitch..” Juleka snarled. she would’ve charged forward or pummel him, but her beeping ring broke through her thoughts. Her eyes narrowed “Gonna switch back soon Partner! Let’s wrap this up!”

 

Ladybug nodded frantically, summoning her lucky charm- dropping into her hands was a wrench. Great! A blunt weapon!

 

Juleka bounded forward, leaping on all fours as she dodged The Bubbler’s many attacks, she smirked at him.

 

”That all you got? Cause it seems like your aim could use some work!” She yelled, before flipping off a high peak and attacking the bubbler once again. Her head spun around as she saw Ladybug hold up a loose vent pipe.

 

”Cover me Panthera!”

 

She nodded and darted back. She took it from her hands and held it up the best she could, as the wind blasted the bubbles away. She grinned madly.

 

”Go Partner go!” She yelled, tail lashing. Her partner rushed forward as Nino lifted up his saber, knocking it out of his hands. She cracked it in half, and grinned as the akuma fluttered our dizzily.

 

”No more evil doing for you little akuma! Time to de-evilize!” Ladybug exclaimed, swiping the butterfly out of the air before releasing it’s purified form “Bye bye little butterfly!”

 

Juleka didn’t wait for her to use the miraculous cure, as she quickly ran off of the tower and towards the courtyard again.

 

Her last beep rang out as she detransformed- seconds later, the cure washed through the yard, bringing back her classmates, who all cheered. Rose spun around to see her, and a wide grin spread across her face.

 

”Juleka you’re okay!” She cried, the goth squeaked as the blonde rushed forward and tackled her with a hug, tears were rolling down her face “I-I thought I lost you..”

 

”I’m sorry Rose, I’ll try and not do that again” She murmured softly, squeezing Rose’s hands. The shorter girl nodded

 

”You better not!” Rose giggled, before hugging her again. Juleka grinned, coughing roughly- as she felt a small purr ripple from her throat. She happy. She was safe. Rose was okay. They were gonna be okay. Plagg nuzzled into her hair.

 

They were gonna be okay.

 

...

 

When she went home, Anarka had wrapped her in a large hug- to which she returned with a bright smile.

 

The pirate queen had rambled on and on about her day, expressing how worried she was for her kids. She met Luka’s gaze and smiled, he looked at her knowingly. Family. A mother and her children. That’s all they were.

 

She took in a deep breath, and told them she was going on a quick run, quietly saying she’d be back before dinner with or without groceries- which wasn’t a lie- she planned to visit at least the Dupain-Cheng’s bakery- but there was someone who wanted to talk to her.

 

Leaving the Liberty, she transformed into Panthera Noir, escaping into the night.

 

...

 

Marinette stood above the city quietly, what a rough birthday.. She thought. She heard a low thump, and she turned around and smiled as Panthera looked up at her from her crouching position.

 

”Partner” She greeted quietly, there was a soft look in the cat’s eyes. Marinette had never seen her friend so.. raw.. so vulnerable looking.

 

”Kitty, you.. you’re dad- what you said today um-“ she sputtered, the tall girl shrank a bit, before taking a deep breath. She skipped across the roof carefully, her hair flowing through the wind. 

 

”He.. uh.. My mom divorced him when I was young, he was.. bad” Panthera said, ear twitching “I barely know him, it’s been a long, and that doesn’t bother me-“ lie “-but I just.. I don’t know, I heard you going on and on about how parents care- and I just- I’ve been proven wrong about that, and I guess it was a slip of the tongue”

 

Marinette hugged her, arms wrapping around her waist, the gothic cat flinched before leaning into her touch.

 

”Don’t apologize, I’m sorry he did that- I just.. we’ve come from different families I suppose..” The fashion designer murmured “I just- It’s hard to comprehend the idea of a parent who wouldn’t love their child”

 

”I get that, it’s a tough subject” Panthera chuckled hollowly, before patting the ladybug hero on the head “Thanks for the support, promise me you won’t pity me for it?” She asked, 

 

Marinette nodded frantically 

 

”Obviously! I would never pity you! We’re partners Panthera! Equals!” She exclaimed, there was a look of doubt on Panthera’s face, before she nodded.

 

”Thank you Ladybug, for everything” The cat said softly, she wrapped her arms around Marinette- the blunette found herself melting into the hug, before Panthera pulled away.

 

The public saw her kitty as tough as nails, flirty, maybe a little brash- but she knew who her partner was. She was kind. She was surprisingly shy. Her real eye color was copper and she was in love with her best friend. Her father was gone but she was stilling fighting, she was one of her best friends.

 

Marinette nodded

 

”See you Kitty” She said, and with that- the elusive Panthera Noir, was gone.

 

 

Chapter 8: Damn that cat

Summary:

Adrien and Chloe are siblings who are thirst for superheroes

Notes:

a NOTE: I’m aging these characters up to 16 because I can’t stand the idea of literal fourteen year olds running around fighting life risking crimes
They’re.. they’re babies dude.. I can’t.. they’re 16 now

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Chloe opened her eyes hesitantly, as she swept off the street. For perhaps the millionth time this week- an akuma had been out for her blood. She looked up to see Panthera Noir, holding her in her arms.

 

”Jeez Chloe- you sure give this cat a run for her money” She smirked, emerald green eyes shining with mischief. Chloe rolled her eyes, hiding her delight to be saved as best as she could

 

”W-Whatever! Let me go you mangy tom cat!” Chloe exclaimed. Panthera gingerly set her down on top of a roof.

 

”What’s the tea Chloe?” She asked, tail lashing. The Caffineator roared beneath them “Or should I say the coffee?” The blonde stared at her, she was sick of being rescued by this stupid hot topic hero.

 

”Ugh, some stupid waiter spilt coffee all over my shoes! Didn’t she know that could’ve burned me?!” Chloe yelled, crossing her arms. Panthera pulled them to the ground as a splash of lava hot liquid splattered above them, it was literally steaming and melting the cement.

 

”I.. can see that yes” The goth rose an eyebrow, before looking at her “I’m gonna go help my partner out now, how about you sit still for now Chloe- so you don’t get your pretty face hurt”

 

Chloe’s cheeks burned pretty face?!, she shook her head and snarled “Anything to not see your stupid face again!”

 

”Then you’ll have to stay out of trouble Bourgeois,” Panthera teased, before hopping off the building.

 

The blonde sat on the roof, watching her leave. It was disgusting how charming that cat was, she loved Ladybug way more- but seriously someone needed to stop that cougar before she turned every girl in Paris gay.

 

Like seriously! Who taught that cat to flirt!? Whoever they are- they were the bane of Chloe’s existence. She sighed, perhaps tough girls who could kick her ass were her type. Curse Panthera and Ladybug for making her question her sexuality- SERIOUSLY WHO TAUGHT THEM TO WEAR THAT?! WHEN DID LACE LOOK SO GOOD??

 

Panthera reminded Chloe way too much of the anime characters she had a crush on as a kid, and Ladybug just felt like an anime character in general. Chloe groaned, why me?

 

The miraculous cure swept through the city, thank god she thought- Chloe made her way off the roof, huffing angrily as people shot her dirty looks around her. She opened her phone as she felt it buzz

 

”Hello?” She said, answering the call

 

Chlo did you see Ladybug today?” Adrien’s voice spoke, excitement edging though his voice. 

 

”Ugh no! Panthera Noir had me cooped up on top of a building! Damn that cat! This is the millionth time she saved me, I wanna get saved by Ladybug!” Chloe yelled, ignoring the pink on her cheeks, before smiling “What'd she do today?”

 

It’s posted on the Ladybug already, she was so cool! Her new costume is so nice!” Adrien squealed. She chuckled. It was revealed to her during one of their- quote quote ‘rich people gatherings’ that Adrien shared a massive crush on Ladybug with her.

 

Quite the bonding experience, and now the clinging to ‘Adrikins’ thing at school was now done to protect him from fan girls, all while hiding Chloe’s big crush on Paris’s heroine. Thank god for the power of Ladybug’s hips and Panthera’s curves.

 

”Curse that damn cat! How dare I miss it! Ridiculous! Utterly ri-” She started, before bumping into a wall. Chloe looked up to see J- what was her name? Cou..Couffaine..? The goth girl. The invisible one. “What the hell Couffaine?!”

 

The girl looked down at her tiredly,

 

”I was just walking..” she mumbled dryly “not my fault that you can’t see where you’re going..”

 

”Hah! Says you! I doubt you can see through your bangs!” She sneered, though she could admit- they did remind Chloe of Panthera Noir’s bangs. The Couffaine’s eyes narrowed.

 

”Whatever Chloe, how about you stay out of trouble for once, see you at school I guess” Juleka hissed, before pushing past the blonde. A flicker of doubt went across her face. Something about those words were so.. familiar. Chloe picked up her phone carefully

 

What happened?” Adrien groaned tiredly

 

”Ugh! You know the goth girl from our class? Couffaine? You would not believe wh-“

 

Chloe.. please don’t tell me you yelled at her

 

”Whaaaaaat?”

 

...

 

”She’s kinda the worst.” Juleka huffed, if she was Panthera- her eyes would no doubt be slits and her tail would be lashing like a tiger. Plagg stuffed his face with cheese.

 

”I’ve seen worse! But she’s definitely a brat” He snickered “Normally I’d say just light her on fire but I think Panthera and Ladybug has got better things to do”

 

Juleka chuckled, before getting a call. The kwami dug into her jacket comfortably as Rose’s Phone ID shopped up on her screen.

 

”Hello?” She answered 

 

Hi Juleka!” Rose’s voice squeaked on the other side of the phone “Can I come over to your house? My mom isn’t home and I’m free right now!

 

The goth grinned

 

”The houseboat is always open to you Rose” she said, carefully making sure her voice didn’t crack with excitement 

 

Yay! I’ll see you then!

 

She hung up, her cheeks heating up. Juleka had a pep in her step as she walked home. As she boarded the Liberty, she could already see Rose running up to the deck.

 

”Ahoy Juleka!”

 

”Ahoy Rose,” She smiled, she could feel her heart fluttering. “You gonna stay for dinner?”

 

”If your mom lets me!” The blonde said, as if on cue, Anarka burst from the bridge.

 

”AHOY ROSE ME GIRL! CLIMB ABOARD! WE’RE HAVIN’ BARBECUE!” Her mother yelled, making Juleka wince. Rose hobbled onto the boat, smiling widely at the goth.

 

Her heart fluttered, as they entered the house. Valentine’s Day would be soon. Awfully soon. Horribly soon. Juleka’s eyes narrowed, she had been battling literal monsters for the past few months why did Valentines Day sound so terrifying?

 

Juleka looked down, her cheeks burning a bit as Rose clambered around the boat. Luka gave her a knowing look, he knew why. It’s cause she loved Rose. She loved her so much.. and she didn’t know what to do about it. She sighed, and followed her best friend to the table.

 

Dinner first she told herself. Dinner first and feelings later.

 

...

 

Juleka quietly slipped into the classroom, her classmates were mingling around and the Blonde Rich Kids (TM) not arrived. She didn't have any negative opinions on Adrien, he seemed sweet, but if he broke Ladybug’s heart she was willing to cataclysm him.


She calmly sat down in her seat, Nathaniel waved at her before suddenly the doors burst open. 

 

”Chloe no!” Adrien exclaimed, cheeks flushed with embarrassment, he was desperately trying to catch a very smug and very tired looking Chloe

 

”Can’t tell me what to do Adrikins!” She snapped, holding a wad of cash.

 

”Come on Chlo why?!”

 

”Cause Ladybug is amazing that’s why dumbass!” The blonde flicked her ponytail at him. That got Juleka’s attention. No one expected Chloe ‘hangs off Adrikins arm’ Bourgeois would ever curse the boy out “Remember- I’m not the one who called their childhood best friend at 3am to talk about Ladybug last night!”

 

”I was bored and I was binging the Ladyblog!” He groaned, cheeks burning a bright red. Juleka snorted, gazing across the classroom, Nathaniel was silently recording on his phone, Alix was snickering, Marinette was beet red, Alya was watching wide eyed, and Ivan was just ignoring everything. 

 

”No excuse Adrikins! I need my fucking beauty sleep!” Chloe huffed, downing a cup of coffee

 

”Not like you don’t have a big fat gay crush on Ladybug too” Adrien smirked, now they made things REALLY INTERESTING, Juleka wondered what her partner’s reaction would be when she would eventually tell her this. This is real asshole sibling banter here folks. Juleka jokingly narrated in her mind. To everyone’s surprise the blonde laughed.

 

”Fuck maybe! Blame Panthera Noir while you’re at it too! Hot piece of work! ” Chloe exclaimed, cheeks slightly pink. Juleka suppressed a loud choking sound. DAMN IT PLAGG THE FLIRTING IS YOUR FAULT she screamed internally, face burning a bright red.

 

She wasn’t alone, her classmates were now frozen in shock. This was definitely something we weren’t expecting.. she thought reflectively. Wait- Alix’s ice cream order reminds me of-

 

“L-Ladybug is just a celebrity crush! Nothing big!” Adrien flushed,

 

”Doesn’t stop you from obviously having the hots for her, in fact-“

 

Chloe swerved around with the most determined gaze and slammed a hand on Marinette’s desk, surprising both the lady blogger and blunette, both flinching with surprise.

 

”Dupain-Cheng, I will you pay you REAL money to make me a Ladybug body pillow for Adrikins!” She yelled. The fashion designer went pale as Alix threw her head back in laughter a few seats behind.

 

”Marinette please, please, no.” Adrien exclaimed, grabbing her shoulders frantically, before being shoved away by Chloe again.

 

”No listen to me Marinette” Chloe said, finally using the girl’s name for once- it was terrifying to see how genuinely excited the bully was “This is for his own good, name any price please

 

Adrien shoved her out of the way again, a wide smile on his face

 

”No! Make a Panthera Noire one for Chloe! I’ll pay you more!” Adrien said, grabbing Marinette’s hands- which made the poor fashion designer short circuit, face red. Alya shoved the two blondes away from Marinette’s desk, which caused more chaos as Chloe argued that the ladyblogger could totally sell the body pillows as merch.

 

Juleka was silent, taking in the chaos around her. Her cheeks were a bright crimson as she imagined herself as Panthera on an actual body pillow. What was worse was that Rose seemed interested. 

 

Seriously what the fuck was going on and when could she wake up? This was a living nightmare. Unfortunately no one got Marinette’s answer as Miss Bustier waltzed into class.

 

After a treacherous day at school where she caught Marinette and Nathaniel sketching the outlines of a laying body before hastily erasing it with red cheeks at least three times, she chilled on top of a roof, desperately trying to push the idea of a Ladybug and Panthera Noire body pillow down. It was horrid.

 

Her tail lashed with embarrassment, fun. Great, fine. Sure. Why not!

 

She needed a fucking break. Juleka pulled her hood over her head and stuck her ears through the small holes, Before jumping off the roof and onto the pavement, a few Parisians gawked and pointed at her as she walked down the street. She seriously had too much free time.

 

Juleka waltzed into the dupain-cheng’s bakery and smiled warmly as Tom greeted her from the counter.

 

”Panthera Noire! It’s nice to finally see you in person! What would you like? It’s on the house!” He grinned, she sheepishly shook her head

 

”O-Oh no, I’ll pay I-“ She reached for her non existent wallet, before sulking and nodding “I’ll take that offer..”

 

”The lemon cake as usual?” He asked, reaching towards the fridge. She nodded and strutted up to the counter, many regulars gawking and waving at her. She pushed down her fears of being so looked at as she took the cake from his hands.

 

”Thank you Sir” Juleka smiled, he nodded approvingly 

 

”My you’re polite! I’m so glad we’ve got heroes like you protecting our city! Please come again Panthera!” Tom said jovially, the goth grinned brightly, her heart swelling

 

”I will! Thank you!” She exclaimed, holding the box giddily. She turned to leave but found herself bumping into someone, she yelped, before she stumbled back a bit- looking down she saw a familiar figure “Marinette?”

 

The blunette squeaked, her face red.

 

”P-Panthera Noir! Hi! Hello! You’re- you’re here, in my- in my parent’s bakery” She sputtered, cheeks red. Juleka chuckled nervously, tilting her head

 

”I am- are you okay?” She asked concernedly. This was definitely an embarrassed Mari, poor girl, probably thinking about the body pillow thing.

 

”Yep! Fine! Great! M-Mhm!” Marinette sputtered, clutching her sketchbook tightly

 

”Marinette! Panthera Noire is a regular here now!” Tom called from the back “Her favorite is Lemon Cake!”

 

”Okay Papa!” The baker's girl called back, before looking back up at Juleka. Something about her look was so.. familiar. Juleka shook of the feeling.

 

”I’ll see you later, Bakery Girl” She purred, tail flicking teasingly before she walked past her. She waved slowly “Bye bye”

 

Then she was off, chuckling as the poor girl’s face was beet red. Perhaps she shouldn’t tease her classmates like that. Juleka strutted across the roof tops, eating the slice of cake greedily. Her ears perked up however, as she heard someone calling her name.

 

Juleka looked down and saw Alya, Alix, Chloe, Kim, Sabrina, and Mylene on the street. Definitely a weird combination of people, but fuck why not? The lady blogger was waving her down, so she shyly slid off the roof and landed onto the street with a thump.

 

She pulled off her hood and smiled as Alya’s grin spread across her face and Alix jabbed Chloe teasingly. Oh boy it took every muscle in her body to not laugh when looking at Chloe. She really didn’t want to think about the body pillow incident.

 

”Panthera Noire! Can I get an interview?” The reporter asked, Juleka chuckled

 

”Sure Lois Lane, you’re my favorite reporter after all” She said, grinning toothily at the small pink that spread of Alya’s cheeks. She really wouldn’t be able to do this as Juleka, friendly flirting was really not her thing but she found it addicting as Panthera. It made her feel.. confident. Like.. she was actually charming.. 

 

They dragged her to the park, it was crazy to see Alya and Chloe on easier terms- seems like the topic of heroes was keeping them from killing each other, for now. Mylene was nervous as she kept looking at her and her tail, to which she flicked around to test her attention. Kim and Alix were yelling about something she didn’t hear.

 

She sat down on a bench as Alya pulled out her phone.

 

”I don’t have any questions prepared so you guys can ask her stuff as long as it’s appropriate” She grinned, Chloe scoffed.

 

”Guess I can ask about my question then..” The blonde said. Alix laughed.

 

”What? You gonna ask about the body pillow?” The short pink haired girl asked. Chloe glared daggers at her, while Sabrina suppressed a giggle.

 

”N-No! I was.. gonna ask about.. cataclysm- yes cataclysm- T-that’s all..”

 

Juleka viewed her pros and cons about asking about the body pillow.

 

Pros? Could get some good amusement out of seeing Chloe embarrassed by her charming hero persona and if the body pillow comes to exist- maybe She could see Rose’s blushy reaction (she was not used to the idea that the short pixie might have a crush on her hero alter ego)

 

Cons? Everything that has to do with her dignity.

 

Juleka was quiet for a moment before a large Cheshire grin went across her face

 

”What about a body pillow?“ she asked, raising an eyebrow as her tail twisted around teasingly. Chloe’s face turned red and Kim and Alix burst into laughter. Alya shoved the three off.

 

”Inappropriate!” She yelled, waving her phone at them before coughing into a fist, she held up her phone again, now visibly recording “A-any appropriate questions I can actually put on my blog without people asking for an actual body pillow for merch??” Alya asked sheepishly.

 

Mylene meekly rose her hand,

 

”I’ve got a question?” She squeaked, before pointing at her tail and ears “How do those work?”

 

Juleka shrugged, her ear flicking.

 

”No idea, they’re definitely clip on's I can tell- but they act like real cat ears, I have literally no control over them” She said honestly, “My tail is more controllable, still no idea how that one works though” she chuckled, before her ears flattening “Mylene right?” She asked rhetorically “You’re a fan of animals yeah? Is that why you asked?”

 

The short girl nodded quickly 

 

”Y-Yes! Animals are really important to me and I study them a lot, that’s why I was interested in your animal traits, to see if they were.. scientifically.. accurate..” she mumbled shyly “Is t-there anything else about you that deals to cat traits or is this like.. a.. Uh..”

 

Juleka thought for a moment, if there was, should she share it? Her eyes narrowed a bit.

 

”Nothing that I know of- I am capable of purring though, and my teeth and eyesight have gotten sharper.” She said dryly, doing her best to forget the absolutely humiliating night where she mewled due to Ladybug’s petting. She awkwardly coughed into her fist, shaking the memory away.

 

”You get fur balls?” Alix smirked, Panthera shot a glance at her

 

”No. But if I did- you’d be the first person I’d hack it on.” She hissed, which led the skater to laugh. Mylene’s eyes were focused on her features as Panthera straightened up ”Any other questions?“

 

Kim glanced at Chloe and puffed his chest out a bit. Was he more obvious?

 

”Could you beat me in an arm wrestle?” He asked, raising an eyebrow. Juleka blinked. Could I? She wondered nervously. I mean I should right? But Kim has always been super strong.. She glanced at an unimpressed Chloe and smirked.

 

”Definitely Kimmy- don’t doubt the super hero here” She snickered, the athlete huffed angrily.

 

”I bet you can’t!” He yelled. Juleka's ears flattened against her head. God she hated his bets.. she could hear Sabrina whisper ‘oh my goodness her eyes just became slits’- and she seemed to be right, as Kim paled as she glared at him. “Oh.”

 

”I’m not the buffest person around buddy boy, but I could totally take you- please don’t risk it for your own health” She grinned, teeth glinting in the sunlight. Chloe snickered behind her.

 

”Oh! Got a question here! How old are you Panthera? Are you like- immortal? Are you a goddess?” Alya asked curiously. Juleka cringed.

 

”C-Classified? I feel like, that's fair, right?” She said carefully. Alix nodded

 

”Yeah.” The skater said, before thinking a bit, “What’s you’re favorite.. I don’t know- color? We don’t know her favorite color right?”

 

”Purple.” Juleka answered easily. This was nice, it was strange to see these kind of people together. Sabrina looked like she was genuinely enjoying herself and Chloe looked comfortable, Alya was laughing and bantering with Alix, while Mylene was practically playing team mom while Kim did something dumb.

 

”What’s your favorite flower?” Sabrina asked, adjusting her glasses carefully. Panthera rose an eyebrow, didn’t expect that kind of question. She hummed to herself before smiling

 

”Roses.” Juleka said, grinning at the surprise in their faces- Alya pulled away from her camera a bit

 

”Really?” She questioned. Juleka laughed and nodded.

 

”They’re pretty” she smiled vaguely, before taking a bit into her lemon cake. Kim’s face brightened as he pointed at the box.

 

”That’s Marinette’s bakery!” He exclaimed. Juleka nodded happily, her ears perking up with delight.

 

”Yep, favorite bakery on earth, I’m a regular there” She said. There was a look of embarrassment and unsureness on Chloe’s face as she spoke. Marinette.

 

”I think that’s enough questions for an interview, thank you Panthera Noire!” Alya grinned, before lifting up her camera, she said goodbye to her viewers, before turning it off. Juleka took another bite of her cake, before she heard a soft thump.

 

There were screams of joy as she heard the familiar soft laugh of her ladybug.

 

”Partner,” she greeted, not looking up from her cake.

 

”Kitty,” Ladybug said, patting her head. Alya cursed, yelling that she just made an interview already! Chloe was fangirling like crazy, shaking Sabrina like a mad woman. Alix and Kim were just excited and Mylene was thanking Ladybug for everything she’s done.

 

It made Juleka happy. She looked up to see Ladybug’s face and was surprised to see how blushy it was.

 

”You okay there partner? You’re lookin’ a lot more red than usual, and that’s an achievement for you!” She asked, standing up slowly and looking down at her friend. Ladybug shook her head, before letting out a laugh

 

”N-Nothing! I just heard something about.. a body pillow?”

 

That set some things off. Chloe had burst out laughing, Alix was wheezing for breath, Sabrina was covering her face- Alya was screaming, Mylene was covering her ears, Kim had fallen to the floor, and Juleka couldn’t hide her laughter anymore.

 

Giggles rippled out of her throat as a wide grin spread across her face.

 

”So you’ve heard a little birdie too Ladybug? I’m curious, what’s your opinion on that kind of merchandise?” She asked, before a thought crossed her mind. Her eyebrow twitched “Wonderin’ what kind of people who would want to buy it.?”

 

Ladybug’s cheeks burned a bright red as she thought about the implication.

 

”I- U-Uh,- I- Dang it Panthera!” She sputtered. Juleka chuckled, bounding away, as Ladybug chased after her, steaming with embarrassment and blush.

 

However, Juleka felt herself grow serious. Ladybug took her bait.

 

The reason why she was so embarrassed by the body pillow talk was because she was there, listening to Chloe’s commissions in person. Juleka’s little birdie was being there entirely. But Ladybug?

 

Ladybug heard of the chaotic event this morning, and there wasn’t any akuma attack today for Alya to get the chance to share the news to the Bug. Juleka stopped, letting herself get tackled by the flustered girl.

 

She did her best not to think about it- but she could tell now. Ladybug was someone close. Real close. Her eyes narrowed softly, tail curling around impatiently. Perhaps curiosity killed the cat.. but she couldn’t ignore the urge she had to solve this mystery.

 

Juleka nodded to herself, taking one last bite of her lemon cake. It’s tangy sweetness lingering on her tongue, before disappearing entirely.

 

...

 

She laid comfortably on the roof top, humming softly. Her ears perked up as she heard the voice of her favorite person. A smile played across her face as she hopped down towards Rose’s balcony, she was careful to make sure no one spotted her,

 

”Princess,” She greeted politely.

 

”Panthera” Rose grinned, there was a hint of pink on her cheeks. Juleka smiled and sat down on the roof above her, looking down at her. “I saw your interview today”

 

”Did you?”

 

”I didn’t know you liked Lemon cake,” Rose said, Juleka laughed softly

 

”I like it’s tanginess, it’s also sweet” She purred, tail flicking “The kids in the video, they’re your classmates yeah?”

 

The blonde nodded

 

”Yeah! I’m pretty close to most of them, Chloe not so much but Sabrina can be nice? If she isn’t blindly following..” She pouted and mumbled some words. The cat giggled softly, Rose perked up, “I still can't help but be curious though. How old are you, Panthera?”

 

Juleka thought carefully, should she share? She hummed to herself. Why not..

 

”..I'm uh- Sixteen.” She said quietly.  

 

”No way! You’re like- around my age!” Rose exclaimed, before her eyes screwed “Wait- why are you telling me? You said it was classified during the interview”

 

Juleka shrugged “Cause I trust you, also you’re one person and not an entire public blog” she murmured. Rose nodded enthusiastically 

 

”Ah yeah! That makes sense!” She smiled, The goth smiled and laid back against the roof. It was nice to be with Rose. Her ear twitched as she looked down at Rose, memorizing her face. Her golden locks, her shimmering eyes. She found herself melting in her presence.

 

She chuckled to herself, murmuring the words “..mm sunbeam..”

 

Yes, that’s what Rose reminded her of. A sun beam. Warm. Kind. Gentle. Bright- bringing Juleka light to a glum world. Of course, Rose also reminded her of roses, as they were as equally beautiful and strong. Thorns yknow?

 

“Huh?” Rose said, as she looked up confusedly. Juleka blinked and coughed into her fist- shit she said that out loud.!

 

”Eh? O-Oh sorry- I was just thinking of what you reminded me of..” She smiled apologetically “Sunbeams, ‘cause you’re like the sun to me, Rose”

 

The blonde stared at her blankly, her cheeks turning a deep scarlet- oh boy that made something in Juleka’s chest burst. Rose covered her pink face, the goth’s eyes widened as the blush spread from her cheeks to her collar bone and- she stopped looking down

 

”You’re such a dork, I love it” Rose giggled lovingly, as she gazed at Juleka softly. That made the goth freeze. It was just filled with so much.. love. Just dumbstruck love. Her cheeks heated up as she stared at her best friend, her tail lashed around excitedly- before pausing.

 

Would Rose ever look at Juleka like that?

 

There was a part of her heart that was,, sad. It came out as a whisper in her mind, a voice that refused to shut up. She’s in love with Panthers Noir, and you aren’t Panthera Noir.. you’re weak.. shy.. and a wimp.. Panthera is so much better. She’s perfect. She’s everything you’re not.


Her breath hitched, as she struggled to keep her arms from shaking.

 

She’ll never love Juleka- and once she knows you’re Panthera, she’ll never love either of you.. fraud..

 

Juleka dug her claws into the brick as she smiled weakly at Rose. Her heart ached as she looked at her. There was a flicker of concern that went across Rose’s face.

 

”Panthera? Are you okay?” She asked carefully. The goth nodded quickly

 

”Y-Yeah! Good! I’m good!” Juleka grinned, when had her throat become so dry? Her ears flattened against her head as she struggled to sound normal “I’m.. I'm okay” she said.

 

Rose stared at her intensely, before strutting to the edge of her balcony and cupping her hands around Juleka’s cheeks. The goth’s eyes widened, as her cheeks flushed a bright red

 

”U-Uh Rose?” She squeaked, her ‘Panthers Noir Voice’™ completely dropped. The blonde’s bright sky blue eyes shimmered in the moonlight, she was almost afraid that Rose had seen through her.

 

”..Are you sure?” She asked slowly

 

”Mhm! Yep!” Juleka yelped. Rose stared at her for a few moments before sighing, pulling away a bit. The goth’s ears flattened at the loss of contact

 

”If you say so..” The blonde mumbled. Juleka looked away sadly, her emerald eyes tracing the ground. Great going she thought. There were a few moments of silence before she felt Rose’s soft hands start to weave through her hair, she looked back to see Rose playing with it. The blonde smiled 

 

”Sorry! It just looked so soft!” She said apologetically. Juleka chuckled, not attempting to stop the soft rumbling in her throat she let out- as Rose pet her hair

 

”Not a problem with me, you’re my number one fan after all” she purred, her tail curling around playfully.

 

”.Do you think I could be more than that?“ Rose asked quietly. Juleka’s jaw dropped, as she jolted to her feet

 

”W-WHUHhu WhHUH?!” She sputtered, her cheeks a beet red. SHE WANTS TO DATE?! Rose squeaked, her hands covering her face with embarrassment

 

”I-I DIDN'T MEAN IT LIKE THAT OH GOSH IM SORRY I- OoH b-boy! I didn’t mean it like that!” She exclaimed hastily, she sighed quietly “S-Sorry.. what I meant to say was- I’d like to be your friend, Panthera”

 

Her ears perked up ”Pardon?” She said

 

”It’s really nice that you visit me so much, and I’m really touched- but I feel like it’s a bit much for just your biggest fan, so I’d like for you to visit me as my friend instead” Rose suggested carefully, the soft dust on her cheeks made Juleka’s heart flutter.

 

She sighed with a mix of relief and almost.. disappointment. Juleka nodded slowly, as her hands drifted up to Rose’s face, gently pushing the girl’s blonde locks out of her eyes.

 

”I’d love that, Rose” She whispered, ear twitching. Rose grinned from ear to ear, practically glowing.

 

The two talked on and on together, it was nice. Her heart skipped a beat every time Rose smiled. Eventually, it came time to say goodbye.

 

”I’ll return again, my Sunbeam” Juleka smiled gracefully, before giving a curt bow. The blonde giggled and gave a small curtsy, the moonlight illuminating the two.

 

”I’ll see you again, my friend!” Rose smiled, her cheeks red with flush. With that, Juleka bounded away.

 

...

 

Plagg stared at her.

 

”There was nothing platonic about that interaction.” He said dryly

 

”Shut it Plagg.” She snapped, cheeks heating up.

 

”I think you should tell her” He drawled, ears twitching indignantly

 

I think she’ll hate me for being a fake” Juleka huffed, rolling her eyes. “She’s in love with Panthera.. she’ll.. she’ll never love me..” she mumbled. The cat kwami flew around her face


”You’re not fake Kit, other than your denial about you and Rosie” He snickered mischievously “Remember Kitten- you and Panthera are the same person, everything that Panthera Noir is- Juleka Couffaine is too. A flirty lesbian!” He laughed, sticking his tongue out.

 

Normally she’d shut him up, but instead, thought for a moment. She supposed he was right. As much as she was in denial about the whole flirting thing.. she wasn’t getting confidence from no where, the powers just boosted it.

 

”Thanks Plagg” She smiled, before sighing “But I can’t risk her safety”

 

”Ugh sure, now can I eat some cheese?” He asked impatiently. Juleka rolled her eyes and shoved a slice of Swiss in his mouth. The goth walked home with a pep in her step.

 

...

 

”You know what, I’m gonna make those body pillows” Marinette announced one morning, making Juleka suppress a scream.

 

Notes:

How the hell did Chloeka (chloleka? Chuleka?) get in this fic? This is a Julerose fic wtf?
Eh fuck it I’ve already got a lovely lady planned for our favorite bee bitch, might as well just add some ‘Panthera Noir is a gay icon’ into here

Chapter 9: Dark Cupid

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text



“Have you thought about confessing to Rose yet?” Luka asked carefully, Juleka huffed grumpily as her bangs draped over her face.

 

”Ugh- I think about it everyday..” she mumbled, her brother laughed softly

 

”Of course you do.. you love her lot..“ He smiled, ruffling her hair. There was a loud bang in the kitchen, the two siblings winced as they knew what it was.

 

Luka groaned as he got up, she understood how much he worked for this household. He had to parent the parent 90% of the time and also raise her at the same time. Juleka was shy and had to fight to be heard in the household. She was easy to brush off and her anxiety really didn’t help..

 

It was tough for both of them and while they still loved Anarka.. she can be more of a child than her own children.. She thought. 

 

“Don’t overwork yourself Luka” She said quietly as he moved towards the door- he paused and looked at her gently.

 

”I won’t.. and you shouldn’t either Jules” He smiled, before exiting their room. Juleka sighed- leaning on her elbow as she stared at her reflection. 

 

...

 

Juleka’s eyes narrowed as she entered the classroom. She had.. complex feelings about Valentine’s Day. She sighed, on account of the terrible pining she had for a certain best friend- Valentine’s Day just seemed.. tiring.



She’d stand awkwardly in the background of multiple love stories going around, lonely and tired- while Rose would be planning, singing, excitedly match making like it was the end of the world.

 

Plagg seemed to make it worse this year, with his constant snickering and commentary. She had learned to tune him out but it was still awful. Luka’s soft and knowing looks really didn’t help either.

 

She looked over at Rose who was entranced with the lesson- studying Sleeping Beauty. Great. Juleka sighed. People often forget about how dark original fairy tale stories are.. like- the princess gets fucked in her sleep? And only wakes up when she’s giving birth? T-Then she marries the prince anyways- Like w-what the fuck how the hell is that romantic?

 

“..the prince breaks the spell by kissing the princess! Can anyone tell us why?” Miss Bustier asked. Juleka’s eyes narrowed- she could think of countless reasons that would make people’s stomachs drop and reevaluate their Disney movies- but instead, she watched Rose stand up with the most dreamy look on her face

 

”Because only love can conquer hate!” She said, grinning ear to ear. Juleka smiled as she looked back down at her desk, hearing Miss Bustier’s delight. Rose’s excitement was just so contagious.. Then Max went on some math shpeel that Juleka immediately turned out.

 

The class’s attention was on Adrien as Miss Bustier caught him writing on a note. Juleka rose an eyebrow at that, she had been keeping watch on him far more since Ladybug confessed that she was in love with him. She eyed her other classmates, before looking back at Rose.

 

She gave an encouraging smile as the blonde smiled at her. God- she was gonna go blind from one of those smiles..

 

The bell rang as Miss Bustier began to list off their assignments, before smiling and saying “..and happy Valentine’s Day students!”

 

Juleka rubbed her eyes tiredly as she headed towards the door, walking past Sabrina and Chloe who waited for Adrien at the door, she snickered slightly as she saw the Ladybug body pillow in the blonde’s hands- no doubt going to give it to Agreste. God- if Ladybug heard about this she’d freeaaaak

 

”Sooo any plans for Valentine’s Day, Rose?” She asked carefully, trying to ignore the loud thumping feeling in her chest. Rose shook her head

 

”Not really but I really hope some of my ships become canon today!” Rose said brightly. Juleka chuckled, tilting her head curiously

 

”Your ships?” She asked

 

”Mhm! Our class is very romantic this year I can feel it!” She squealed, dancing down the hall. The goth smiled as she paced after her “Mylene and Ivan is really cute, especially after the Stoneheart situation- ooh! I’m wondering of Marinino could be- No! Adrienette!”

 

Juleka thought about Marinette’s infatuation with the model, it had really come out of the blue- especially after the gum chair scenario, but it wasn’t too bad- she made friends with him when he came on the first day- and was only confused at the gum incident.

 

Her eyes narrowed because although they were cute- she’d rather see Ladybug succeed, her partner deserved the best and the best seemed to be Adrien at the moment..

 

”-eka? Juleka?”

 

She blinked, looking down at Rose

 

”U-Uh yeah?” She said, the blonde tilted her head before smiling

 

”You okay? You got lost in thought there” Rose said. Embarrassment flooded through her, damn it- she was so used to tuning out Plagg that she accidentally did it to Rose.. how could she..!

 

”A-Ah sorry Rose.. I-I uh.. I was just thinking about..” her mind searched for a word “..ships..”

 

”Really? Who’s your favorite?” Rose exclaimed, her blue eyes sparkling with excitement. Heat spread through the goth’s cheeks as she looked down at her best friend, her throat felt dry. Juleka chuckled nervously, fiddling with her hair

 

”Uh.. Adrien and.. Ladybug- Y-Yeah, yeah I ship those two.. together” She said, deciding to be honest, it was rather hard to hide her emotions from Rose anyways. The blonde blinked with surprise before she grinned

 

”Wow really?! I like it! What kind of ship name would that be? Where’d you get that ship from?” She asked, bouncing around 

 

Juleka winced- from when I became friends with Ladybug and spent three hours listening to her ramble about how pretty our classmate is? She answered in her mind

 

”Uhh dunno- I’ve just.. heard he had a crush on her- that’s all” She answered carefully “Though- I’m not the best at shipping real life people..”

 

Rose nodded “That makes sense! Ooh yeah- what plans do you have for Valentine’s Day Juleka? Has anyone confessed to you today?” She asked

 

Juleka’s eyes adverted away, her bangs hiding her

 

”No.. same as last year.. I doubt anyone would notice me long enough to ever have a crush on me” She mumbled, she felt Plagg squirm around in her jacket, most likely snickering about how it was probably the opposite for Panthera Noire.

 

And she knew how many of Panthera fans were..

 

”I still think that makes no sense! You’re beautiful Juleka! People should be confessing left and right to you!” Rose huffed, before her cheeks became a light pink. Juleka blinked with surprise

 

”Y-You.. You think that I’m.. beautiful?” She asked quietly, her heart beginning to race. Rose paused before smiling

 

”Of course your beautiful Juleka! You’re one of the most beautiful people I know! Now come on! I wanna see all of the cute couples today!” The blonde exclaimed, her face oddly red as she darted off.

 

Juleka was left standing in shock, absolutely frozen. Plagg peeked our of her jacket

 

”Well? You gonna follow your girl or what?” He smirked, she nodded quickly and ran after her, her heart feeling weightless

 

...

 

Rose skipped down the pavement, Juleka smiled at how much the girl seemed to glow.

 

”Oh Juleka! Today is so romantic! It’s just so happy today!” She exclaimed, she gasped “Do you think Ladybug and Panthera Noire have dates today?”

 

The goth winced slightly “I doubt it, they’re probably busy people” she mumbled

 

Rose shrugged

 

”True, but I hope they show up- Alya has been raving about LadyNoire recently and she’d probably do anything for some content, especially today” She said nonchalantly. Juleka froze,

 

”Lady..Noire..?”

 

”Yep! The ship name for Ladybug and Panthera Noire!” Rose grinned, before pausing “Juleka? You okay?”

 

The goth nodded profusely, face beet red ”Y-Yep! I’m good! I didn’t know people shipped those two! I thought they were just friends..?” She managed to croak out

 

Somehow Rose didn’t notice how red Juleka had gotten as she nodded and started to explain with giddy excitement

 

”Well Yes! But Alya has been slowly collecting this big folder of moments she’s recorded between Ladybug and Panthera! And at first I didn’t ship it because well u-uh..” Rose’s eyes looked away, cheeks flushing. Juleka realized that the girl had almost spilt about Panthera’s midnight visits “w-Well anyways yeah..“

 

Juleka mentally let out a sigh of relief as she followed Rose on wobbly legs. Her and Ladybug?? No.. No that wouldn’t work.. they’re close but not that close.. did it seem like they were that close? Did people think they were that close?! OH GOD DID ROSE THINK SHE AND LADYBUG WERE THAT CLOSE??

 

She shoved down her thoughts, luckily Rose’s back was turned and couldn’t notice Plagg patting her on the cheek. God- she and Ladybug were going to have a long talk about this tonight she just knew it.

 

Juleka sighed and instead focused on Rose, who was skipping down the sidewalk, pointing out every single thing that was making her happy at the moment, it was rather cute to see Rose in such a happy mood- as if she was ever not in a happy mood.


Rose’s fingers intertwined with Juleka’s, almost making the poor goth’s brain explode- her warm hands were soft to the touch and made her heart do flips.

 

”Did you see that dog over there! So cute!” Rose exclaimed, pointing at a distant cafe, Juleka squinted and nodded- truth be told, she couldn’t- her eye sight wasn’t the best distance wise- but still, she wanted to keep Rose’s streak going “Woah! That shop over there is decorated in flowers!”

 

God Juleka was going to go blind- Rose was impossibly bright. She really was the sun to Juleka- she brought her light to her world, she seemed to make everything around her glow and feel alive.. also if she stared to long everything would seem to burn- like her bright red cheeks.

 

Her heart ached though, as she watched Rose prance around her- was she bothering her best friend? Was Rose only hanging out with her because she was obligated to hang out with her? Poor friendless Juleka.. has no love letters sent to her.. better pity her..! She could hear her conscious spit at her in Rose’s voice.

 

She winced, her grip tightening unknowingly as she tried her best to quell her nerves, Rose paused and turned to her

 

“Juleka? Are you okay?” She asked, putting her other hand on Juleka’s hand. She nodded quickly

 

”Y-Yeah! I’m good! I’m good..” The goth mumbled, smiling weakly. Rose’s eyebrows knit together with concern

 

”Are you sure..?” She asked, leaning closer to her face. Juleka’s cheeks reddened, she hid behind her bangs

 

She gulped and nodded again, this reminded her too much of the last time she visited Rose.. “Yeah I’m good! I’m great, I’m.. I'm happy I’m spending my Valentine’s Day with you Rose..”

 

Rose lit up, her grin spreading

 

”Really?” The blonde exclaimed. She nodded again, much to Rose’s delight- her cheeks turning pinker by the second. The two girls giggled together, as they continued down the street. Her heart was doing flips, she was so happy.. nothing could take this moment from her- Then they heard a scream.

 

Juleka’s blood ran cold as she spun around- she instantly moved in front of Rose, wrapping her arms protectively around her as her eyes darted around the street-

 

A large shadow loomed above the buildings, a red and black figure with giant flapping wings- an akuma! He snarled and pulled out his bow and arrow- before shooting it into the street- it hit a woman straight through the chest-

 

There was no visible wound but when her boyfriend rushed to her side he was slapped away and cursed out by her. Looking closer, she saw the woman’s lip turn bright cherry red to deep black. The akuma shot another person- and another- lips turning black and yelling at their loved ones. 

 

The people panicked and began to run in different directions, while the akuma cackled above them- releasing a very familiar voice.

 

”No one will escape Dark Cupid! I’ll drain all of the love and replace it with hate! As it should be!” Kim bellowed, as he flew further. Juleka’s eyes narrowed- damn it Kim!

 

”Rose we need to go!” She growled. Without thinking- she bent down and picked up Rose princess style- she was heavier without Panthera’s powers, but she could handle it. Her dark hair pooled over her face as she ran down the street.

 

Her legs ached as she kept running, only focused on getting Rose home. She didn’t notice the growing pink that spread across her best friend’s face as they ducked into Rose’s street- she skidded to stop, breathing heavily as she looked up to see Rose’s home.

 

Juleka panted, before softly setting Rose down.

 

”A-Are.. Are you okay?” She sputtered, brushing the hair from her sweaty face, Rose stared at her with wide blue eyes- before nodding quickly

 

”Y-Yeah I’m okay!” She squealed. Dark Cupid’s loud cackling echoed throughout Paris. I need to fix this.. she thought. Juleka turned around to leave before she found her arm getting pulled back “Juleka where are you going?” Rose asked

 

Shit! Juleka cursed, she put on a brave smile- ”I need to go make sure my family’s safe Rose.. if I don’t call in the next hour- I’m a goner okay?” She said quickly, squeezing Rose’s hand reassuringly

 

”Don’t say that Juleka! What if you get hurt?!” The blonde exclaimed, Juleka smiled

 

”Then Ladybug and Panthera Noire will fix everything, I’ll call you when this is all over” The goth said, before losing Rose’s grip and darting out of the street. Plagg poked his head out of her jacket

 

”Dark Cupid is a dumb name” He said dryly

 

”Agreed- but those wings are kind of dope” Juleka smirked, before swerving into an empty corner.

 

”You sure did carry your princess off to safety- not only are you Prince Charming in the mask, but also out! Now you’ve sure made me proud!” Plagg snickered, Juleka’s cheeks reddened as she realized what she had done

 

”O-Oh my god..”

 

”No worries Kit! She’ll be thinking about that really late tonight!” He said, Juleka glared at him- before looking at her ring

 

”Gotta be careful.. Plagg Claws Out!” She shouted. Her transformation washed over her, she smiled to herself- feeling herself pulse with power- before she bounded out of the alleyway.

 

Juleka perched above on a chimney, spotting Kim’s obnoxiously bright figure- he seemed to be looking for someone- so she waited silently, before the akuma flew off. Squinting more- she could see Ladybug huddled against the wall, hanging upside down.

 

She skipped over, sticking her baton into the wall to land right next to Ladybug- She cleared her cluttered thoughts and smirked playfully, leaning on the wall

 

”Hey there Partner..” She purred, brushing the hair out of her face “You look like your world has been turned upside down”

 

Ladybug laughed slightly, before pulling herself onto Juleka’s staff

 

”Like you wouldn’t believe! Dark Cupid is turning all love into hate and we need to stop him!” Ladybug said, holding onto Panthera tightly as the two balanced on the pole. The goth nodded

 

”So I’ve heard- I feel like Valentine’s Day is like drugs to HawkMoth, practically asking for an akuma today.” She huffed, before looking at their very.. close position, her cheeks burned as she quickly pulled away a bit.

 

”What’s wrong?” Her partner asked, Juleka shook her head

 

“N-Nothing- But uh.. did you know people shipped us? I didn’t know that until today and I was super shocked..” Juleka asked sheepishly, tugging at her bangs. Ladybug stared at her before laughing

 

”Haha! Yeah I knew- My best friend has this whole video file of ‘proof that LadyNoire is canon’, it’s flattering but.. well..” Ladybug motioned between them, her cheeks slightly pink “We have our crushes..”

 

”Ah yes- our shared love of blondes” Juleka snickered, then pausing. A file of Footage for the canonization of LadyNoire? Isn’t that what Rose said about Alya..? She wondered, before shaking her head- Focus Panthera.! ”Anyways, we need to defeat- oh fuck.. LOOK OUT!” She screamed

 

Juleka grabbed Ladybug by the collar and pulled her downwards, the two stumbled off her baton as they narrowly dodged an arrow- before they hit the ground she grabbed onto the staff and slammed it into the ground- letting it extend and having them slide down it like a fire pole.

 

The two heroes looked up as Dark a Cupid growled at his miss. That was far too close! They quickly ran through the street, Juleka found herself running on all fours as they clambered over a building, they skidded to a stop

 

”Where’s our next stop Partner?” Juleka growled, her breathing heavy and uncontrolled. Ladybug pointed to the Grand Paris, much to the goth’s dismay “Really?”

 

”Chloe’s the target, bad rejection I guess?” Ladybug said sourly, before the two swung inside. When is Chloe not the target? She wondered, as they found the mayor’s daughter and her lackey hiding behind the hotel’s fountain. The blonde grinned with delight as she spotted the two

 

”Ladybug! Panthera Noire!” Chloe exclaimed, her face brightening, it was sickeningly sweet “Where have you been?”

 

”You’ve got to get out of here, your friend Kim has turned into Dark Cupid and I don’t know what he’ll do if he finds you!” Ladybug said seriously,

 

Moí? But how could he possibly have a vendetta on me?” Chloe asked, looking genuinely confused.

 

”Who doesn’t..” Ladybug rolled her eyes tiredly, muttering. The goth huffed

 

”Maybe something you did Chloe?” Juleka rose an eyebrow, as she stalked forward. The blonde shrunk in her presence, her eyes darted to Sabrina, then to Juleka, then to the ground- 

 

“W-Well I mean- I rejected his love confession earlier today?” She said meekly

 

”And?” She pressed, tail lashing 

 

”And m-maybe he took it a lot worse than I.. intended..?” Chloe shrugged sheepishly, her face screwing with a growing embarrassment. Perhaps she was pushing her frustration on the blonde for ruining her friend date with Rose with the akuma “Maybe he’s jealous?”


“What is there to be jealous of?” Ladybug sneered under her breath, luckily no one except the cat hero heard it- who had to keep herself from snickering

 

”I mean- I jokingly gave Adrien a Ladybug body pillow today? And I know Kim is the most teenagery teenage boy on earth- so maybe he was jealous? I don’t fucking know!” Chloe exclaimed, throwing her hands up in there air. Juleka chuckled at the morning, before nodding

 

“At least you’re aware,,” she mumbled, Sabrina then looked past them and screamed

 

OH GOD BIG BIRD’S HERE!”

 

They swerved around seeing Dark Cupid’s looming figure.

 

”I AM NOT BIG BIRD!” He roared, aiming his arrow at the group. Ladybug moved first, she whipped out her yo-yo and yanked Chloe out of the way, before spinning the blonde girl out of the hotel- Juleka winced as she heard her scream ‘daaadddyy!’

 

”Run Chloe run!” She yelled, as the two heroes did their best to reflect the arrows. They bounced out of the hotel, running down the street with Sabrina and Chloe up front.

 

However just as they were about to turn- Juleka felt a horrible pain pierce into her back- she crashed into the ground as she felt a cold but burning heat spread through her body.

 

Her control was slipping, she knew what had happened, she looked up weakly to see Ladybug’s horrified expression. Her purple lipgloss has darkened into a black- and the edges of her vision began to blur

 

”Oh no.” She said- then everything went numb.

 

...

 

“..come on.. I know you Panthera..” Ladybug’s voice drifted through her consciousness “You’re my partner.. dare say- my best friend.. you can’t let hate conquer you like this..”

 

”————“

 

”That’s not true! I know it’s not! Because I know who you are! I know who the real Panthera is! And I’m going to save her!”

 

”————“

 

”How? By doing this! I’m so sorry Panthera!”

 

Then there was a deep warmth that over took her.

 

...

 

Juleka’s eyes fluttered open, her body ached with pain as she found herself looking up at Ladybug

 

”Uhh.. h-hey?” She mumbled, her hand was pulsing with dark energy, she clearly had summoned cataclysm during her brainwashed state but.. wait where was she? “P-Partner what’s going..”

 

”No time to explain! I’m so sorry! Destroy the quiver!” Ladybug squeaked, her face beet red as she hauled Juleka over her shoulder, the goth didn’t have time to be impressed by her partner’s strength as she was suddenly flung through the air.

 

Juleka twisted around- seeing Kim splayed out on the ground. She pounced on top of him, snarling at him before she destroyed his quiver- leaving the shiny pin on his chest open- she snatched it up in her claws

 

”Partner!” She yelled, throwing to towards the red heroine. Ladybug grabbed it out of the air and chucked it against the ground, shattering it. The butterfly fluttered out of it-

 

“No more evil doing for you little Akuma! Time to de-evilize!” She swiped the akuma out of the air, “Gotcha!”

 

She released it, watching it flutter away happily- Ladybug quickly picked up the sticky and melted remains of a red and black spotted candy apple- before throwing it up

 

”Miraculous Ladybug!”

 

Juleka smiled as the magical cure washed over the city, then the ground beneath her began to move- she looked downwards, realizing she was still on top of Kim

 

”Please get off” He wheezed, back to his old self

 

”Oops, sorry Kimmy”

 

She clambered off of him and turned to Ladybug who was frowning at her

 

”U-Uh.. partner? If I said anything.. mean when I was b-brainwashed., I’m sorry I didn’t.. I didn’t mean it” She quickly said, her ears flattening against her head, Ladybug squeaked in shock before shaking her head

 

”N-No! No I’m not upset by any of that I understand! But.. uh.. I mean- I’m sorry about kissing you it was the only way to break the spell!” She said, rubbing the back of her neck.

 

Juleka was frozen

 

”You..What?”

“I.. I had to kiss you to break the spell” Ladybug explained, her face spelling discomfort though her cheeks still slightly pink  “I remembered this thing in class, about how love conquered hate? So I had to..”

 

”Ladybug! You kissed me?!”

 

Her partner’s slightly pink face twisted in guilt ”I’m sorry!”

 

”YOU KISSED ME?!” Juleka screamed, grabbing her partner by the shoulders, face beet red

 

”I’M SO SORRY OKAY?!” Ladybug cried, waving her hands

 

”PARTNER THAT WAS MY FIRST KISS! YOU STOLE IT FROM ME!” She exclaimed, shaking her madly-

 

“IT WAS MINE TOO IM SORRY IM SORRY!” The beeping of their miraculous snapped them out of their rage and confusion. The cat pulled away from her awkwardly, tail lashing as she shuffled her feet uncomfortably 

 

Juleka rubbed the space between her eyes, breathing hard. There was a hurting feeling in her heart- she wanted her first kiss to be.. someone else.. and she wanted to know about it.. Her handles trembled

 

”W-We’ll talk about this later Ladybug.. you owe me so many pastries..” She mumbled, before bounding away.

 

...

 

Juleka stumbled through the Liberty’s porthole, barely making it into her room before she detransformed. She was breathing raggedly, Plagg flew out of the ring

 

”That was harsh” he deadpanned

 

”She stole my first kiss Plagg!”

 

”She had to dummy! You were being kind controlled by a hate turning Cupid arrow! At least you don’t remember it!” The cat kwami rolled his eyes. Juleka grimaced as tears bit at the edges of her eyes

 

”That’s the other thing Plagg! I don’t remember it!” Her hands trembled as she fidgeted with her ring “I.. First kisses are supposed to be special.. I didn’t get to kiss the one I liked today.. and pushing that aside? I still wish I remembered what it was like..!”

 

”Jeez- you think you’re so immune to fairy tales- but really you’re so romantically in love with the idea of one’s first kiss that I really think you’re.. you’re....” Plagg stopped talking, his emerald eyes widened with shock

 

”What?” She exclaimed, waving a hand in front of the kwami’s face. Juleka sighed and turned around to whatever he seemed to be looking.. at.. oh no.

 

”Wow uh.. I didn’t expect this..” Luka said weakly. In front of Juleka. In front of Plagg. In front of Panthera Noire. She face palmed before sinking into her bed

 

”Damn it..” she hissed, Plagg burst out laughing

 

”WOW! YOU MESSED UP BIG TIME!“ He cackled “I knew this whole shared room thing was gonna get us jailed at some point! Sucks to suck!”

 

”Why are you laughing?! Didn’t you say not to share my identity?” She exclaimed, Plagg shrugged

 

”I said not to if you didn’t want to risk your close one’s lives- didn’t say it was a rule- but if Tikki or Ladybug finds out we’re screwed” He said, Luka pulled himself up from his bed and sat next to her.

 

”S-So..” He said, his eyes darting to Plagg and Juleka, she sighed

 

”Yes. Brother. Secret identity. Hi Luka, it’s me- your annoying little sister- aka Panthera Noire.” Juleka said flatly, shoulders falling “I.. I’m sorry..”

 

Luka’s face fell before he enveloped her with a hug. Her breath hitched as she wrapped her arms around his waist, she hadn’t realized she was crying until he pulled away and wiped them off her face. His expression was kind.

 

”Don’t apologize Jules.. I just.. I just didn’t expect this” He said softly, kissing her on the forehead “I’m so proud of you, I won’t tell anyone your secret..” his eyes widened “I’m the only one who knows aren’t I?”

 

Juleka nodded quietly, she wanted to speak but she couldn’t, all she could do was breath shallowly as she tried to calm herself down. She was a danger to him.. a danger to him.. Luka held her closely

 

”It’s gonna be okay Jules, you’re incredible at your job. I’m the luckiest big brother in the world and I wouldn’t trade you for anyone” Luka assured, she giggled. He always knew what she was thinking, she leaned against his shoulder.

 

”I..” she started, finally finding her words “I.. I couldn’t tell you because I was scared.. but I feel better now.. it’s scary..”

 

”How’d you become Panthera?” He asked curiously, his face upbeat. She motioned towards Plagg who flew over,

 

”This little stinky bastard, meet Plagg” She introduced, the kwami stuck out his tongue

 

”I’m a god of destruction excuse you!” He retorted before looking back at Luka “I.. like your music..“ he said sourly

 

”Well thanks- I feel like it’s a huge achievement to impress a god of destruction” Luka smiled, before looking back up at Juleka, having a sort of semi realization “You.. you get hurt during battle..”

 

”Not really, I-I uh.. I’m protected by magic- and whatever wounds I get are healed by Ladybug” she reassured “It comes with the job but.. I’m okay with it,”

 

He sulked a bit, his eyebrows knitting together. They shared a few moments of silence before he held her hands tightly again

 

”I’ll protect your secret Jules.. I promise..” He said, his eyes gleaming with determination. She smiled, tears brimming her copper eyes again.

 

”Thank you Luka..“ She sniffled before grinning “So- do you have any questions?”

 

...

 

Marinette paced impatiently around the rooftop, she froze when she heard the sound of a familiar thump. She turned around and saw Panthera Noire sitting at the edge, emerald eyes glittering in the moonlight

 

”Hey Partner” She said, her voice slightly edged but much more relaxed.

 

Marinette waved back weakly, her mind filled with regrets.. she had stolen Panthera’s first kiss. First kisses were special. She knew how much Panthera loved her crush and she blew it.

 

”H-Hey Panthera..” The blunette greeted weakly, her eyes glued to the ground. Panthera stared at her before saying

 

”I’m not mad at you.” She said, Marinette looked up hesitantly,

 

”Really?”

 

The cat nodded slowly and walked up to her, patting her on the head

 

”I mean- I’m still a little sad- but you had to do it, and I know that if you had the option you wouldn’t have” Panthera smiled kindly, her eyes were clouded with guilt. Marinette wandered over, petting a hand through her partner’s hair, smiling as she heard the soft purring sound that she let out.

 

”This really wasn’t the greatest day for either of us.” She said weakly, before pulling out a bag “Here”

 

Panthera’s eyes widened, picking it up

 

”What’s this?” She asked, before pulling out a small scone from it, still warm and fresh from the bakery. The blunette smiled as she saw the excitement grow on her friend’s face

 

“You said I owed you pastries, so I grabbed some on my way here if that’s okay” Marinette smiled, sitting next to Panthera- despite the girl’s cold features- she was quite warm. She hummed quietly as her partner began to eat the snacks.

 

”This is.. this is really good thank you.. thank you so much..” Panthera mumbled, her face glowing with happiness. Marinette nodded excitedly

 

”Really? That’s good!” She exclaimed. She wouldn’t tell her, but she made those scones at the bakery. She remembered how horrible she felt for hurting Panthera that she threw herself into the baking process. “It’s blueberry and lemon.”

 

”Really? Where’d you get this? Dupain-Cheng’s?” The cat asked, her pupils were blown open. Like- like a cat. Marinette giggled

 

”Yep! Ma- Mrs. Cheng was really generous!” She said, rubbing the back of her neck “Though don’t tell her I said that- I went there in civilian form..”

 

Panthera nodded, her tail curling around Marinette’s waist as the two sat on the building together

 

”Thanks for saving me today, partner” The goth smiled, her ear twitching. “I’m sorry I blew up on you like that- brainwashed and not”

 

”It’s okay, you really only just called me annoying and stuff- no biggie- but I’m sor-“ Marinette started, before suddenly her mouth was covered by one of her partner’s claws

 

Panthera glared at her, she could see the red tint in her intense green eyes “Do not apologize Ladybug. It wasn’t your fault. This was on me this time.. you did what you had to do, and you were brilliant at it. I’m so proud of you and I couldn’t have asked for a better partner”

 

Marinette stared at her wide eyed before smiling, she dug her head into Panthera’s shoulder

 

”..Thank you Kitty” she said softly, as the two enjoyed the night together as friends.

 

...

 

Rose was exhausted, she had received a call earlier today, a little after Dark Cupid’s defeat, Juleka was okay! A little stunned- but okay! She sighed, laying on her bed. There wasn’t any news about the fight though.. apparently Alya had been shot so she couldn’t film- she wished she knew what happened though.

 

She perked up, hearing the familiar three knocks on her window. She rushed to open her balcony, and smiled to see Panthera Noire sitting next to her window- flower in hand.

 

”Hello princess” she purred, “were you safe during the attack?”

 

Rose nodded “Yeah! My friend Juleka rushed me to safety!”

 

The cat hero paused before nodding happily

 

”That’s good” Panthera said, as she politely handed Rose the flower “I would have killed Dark Cupid if he hurt you, Sunbeam..”

 

Rose’s cheeks flushed a bright red, she felt her heart skip a dozen beats at the nickname. She held the flower tightly

 

”I-I really? I- I mean- Kim wasn’t in control- and besides! I would’ve just turned all negative!” She assured, Panthera smiled softly, her familiar eyes glimmering.

 

The goth sighed and leaned against the wall

 

”I got hit today, by the arrows” She said softly. Rose gasped in shock

 

”Are you okay?” She exclaimed, Panthera squeaked and nodded quickly, laughing gently

 

”Yeah yeah I’m good! I just.. Ladybug had to snap me out of it.. by.. kissing me..” She said shyly. In any other situation, Rose would have squealed with glee at her ship being canon, but instead she felt.. disappointed.

 

”Oh”

 

”Yeah.. I don’t even remember my first kiss.. lucky me..” Panthera murmured, her ears faltering against her head before she smiled coolly “Well- I suppose it’s okay though! After all! I don’t romantically like her!” She said- almost proudly

 

Rose perked up, she was too surprised to be ashamed about how excited she was that LadyNoire wasn’t canon.

 

”R-Really?!” She squealed, a little too loud. Panthera’s ear twitched as she smirked softly

 

”Yep” she said, popping the ‘p’. “Ladybug just isn’t my type”

 

She leaned in carefully, a hint of nervousness in her voice as she asked “W-Well.. what is your type?”

 

Panthera paused for a moment, she leaned closer to Rose’s face- making the shorter girl’s breath quicken all too easily. Her cheeks heated up as she stared into the hero’s eyes

 

”Hmm.. blondes” She answered teasingly, as she stroked a hand through Rose’s short lockes. Immediately she felt her cheeks flush a bright bright red, even more than she did when Juleka carried her through the streets- oh how much she panicked then, they were both so unbelievably close- when did it get so hot in here??

 

Panthera smiled to herself, there was a small look of shyness in her face that she was clearly hiding. Rose giggled softly, before softly petting a hand through the hero’s hair

 

She was surprised to see how easily the hero had leaned into her touch, her dyed hair was incredibly soft, and her ears seemed to twitch and move on their own. Her fingers stroked through the dark hair, before finding a spot near her human ears, where she scratched lightly and-

 

A low rapid soft rumbling soft emitted from Panthera’s throat, the hero didn’t seem to notice as she melted in Rose’s touch. Her cheeks were a bright pink. She‘s purring! Rose giggled to herself, which seemed to snap the hero out of her dazed trance.

 

”A-Ah! Sorry I lost myself a little there” Panthera stuttered shyly, pulling herself away from Rose’s fingertips, much to both of their disappointment. “I’ll be going, get some rest- Sunbeam” she winked, before leaping away into the night.

 

Rose stood silently, before squealing to herself. She held the rose tightly to her chest, her cheeks filling with the same warmth that filled her heart. She let out a dreamy sigh

 

Best Valentine’s Day ever..

 

...

 

Worst Valentine’s Day ever.

 

Juleka stormed back into her room, before picking up her pillow and screaming into it

 

”You okay?” Luka asked between giggles. Juleka collapsed onto her bed as Plagg cackled

 

”I want the earth to swallow me whooooolee..” she groaned, kicking her legs. Her cheeks burned a bright red as she thought back to what she said.

 

‘“W-Well.. what is your type?” Rose asked

Juleka paused for a moment, before she leaned closer to Rose’s face, she was screaming internally, desperately hoping that her blush wasn’t showing- ‘whatever you do Juleka Couffaine DO NOT SAY BLONDES’

”Hmm.. blondes” She answered teasingly ‘FUCKINF DAMN IT’, as she stroked her hands through Rose’s hair.’

 

Luka strummed his guitar before chuckling

 

”Well Jules, look on the bright side- at least your love triangle can’t get any worse” Her brother smiled, making Juleka release another scream into her pillow. God save her soul..

 

Notes:

I’m spelling Panthera Noir and Panthers NoirE now, because I think that’s like.. more french Language wise correct
Also because Chloe isn’t a weird fan girl she doesn’t have the fuckin poster thing of Adrien, so I just made her making fun of Adrien a bit more
OH YEAH- and Juleka doesn’t get hit at the start of the fucking battle because she’s not in love with Ladybug and thus like ‘I must tell you my feelings ladybug’! So that’s a thing! Still the kiss happened, poor Jules
That whole kiss thing was originally going to be played as comic relief but I ended up writing it sad. Cause of course I did

Chapter 10: Stormy Weather

Summary:

Juleka is 100 percent done.

Notes:

What the fuck is the timeline?!? I DONT KNOW HOW TO WRITE THIS SHIT? HOW IS MARINETTE A LEO EVEN THOUGH HEr BIRTHDAY IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE YEAR? WHY DO THEIR AGES KEEP CHANGING?
WHAT IS THE ORDER? WHY JS PICTURE DAY SO FAR DOWN THE TIMELINE?! FUCKINNNNN SUMMER VACATION??? WHAT IS THIS??

Ugh- anyways- if some episodes only change with dialogue I’m just either gonna skip them or just offhandedly mention them, I don’t want to rewrite the entire damn episode if this just gonna be Juleka going “wow this sucks” and then does the same thing as Adrien.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Summer.. not really her cup of tea to be honest.. too hot and sweaty (and Juleka would die before she wore a color that wasn’t a shade of black), and sometimes Anarka wouldn’t pay the electricity bill and the air conditioning wouldn’t work

 

Juleka was much more of a fall girl. Still- it meant more time with Rose, and time with Rose was always her cup of tea. Especially when she was working full time as a super hero.

 

God the stress was getting to her..

 

Rose squealed with delight at her phone, an image that she was very familiar of-

 

”Look Juleka! Mirielle won!” She exclaimed, as she pulled herself across the floor to show her friend the video. Ah yeah.. the contest thing. Honestly she thought it was stupid. Like- do people really need to vote for a weather girl? Juleka rose an eyebrow suspiciously 

 

”Why did she even have to win? It’s just a weather girl thing couldn’t they just have two?” The goth asked. Rose shrugged, laying on Juleka’s shoulder comfortably.

 

”I guess people just like the competition? It’s also a pretty big company”

 

The dark haired girl smiled as she leaned into Rose’s touch. It took all of her power not to purr. She watched as a blonde girl holding a parasol ran off the stage. Aurore was what her name was. Juleka was pretty sure she voted for her. 

 

She doesn’t remember why really- all she really remembered was that one clip with the guy yelling ‘I’m Mary Poppins yall’ 

 

What’s the big deal?! You only lost by half a million votes!” The man’s voice laughed on the show. God what an asshole.. Juleka thought sourly Poor girl is probably humiliated..

 

She really hoped this wouldn’t end in an akuma attack. But at this point- she should stop trying to hope.

 

...

 

The boat rocked slowly as Juleka started at the tv blankly. She really wasn’t down for this..

 

There was an akuma wrecking the streets, but like- really really wrecking it. With lightning and shit. If she had to guess- it probably had to due with the weird fuckin- weather girl contest- like seriously? Is that how weather girls work?

 

God- she didn’t fucking know but she was already sick of this shit. God I wanna see Rose right now

 

”Plagg you seeing this shit?” She asked, the kwami flew over to the tv and groaned

 

”Ugh! Are you kidding me!?” He yelled. Juleka nodded as she stared at the screen. 

 

”This really doesn’t look good.. I like her costume though” She shrugged, as the akuma blew up a telephone pole with her umbrella, ten guesses on who that is.. “Plagg! Claws-” She started, before seeing him chewing on a piece of cheese “Really? Now?”

 

He rolled his eyes “Give me a second- I’m relishing my energy”

 

”Oh no- go ahead and take your sweet time- Paris is just You know..” Juleka stared at the screen. Honestly this was one of the more better designed Akumas. “..Dying.”

 

Juleka stood for a more seconds as she watched Plagg eat, tapping her foot impatiently. Should could just transform now- but she didn’t want the cheese to melt or stink up her room. The Kwami swallowed the cheese whole and burped loudly. She nodded tiredly and held up her ring

 

”Right.. Plagg Claws Out!” She yelled, and she quickly transformed.

 

She rushed off the boat and headed across the city, following the path or demolished or ablaze buildings. After a few minutes of searching, she found the akuma floating ominously down the street as she sent lightning down on multiple cars.

 

Juleka slipped down and landed on a gate, putting on her best smirk

 

”Hey there Ice Queen” She purred, quirking up an eyebrow “Got your head in the clouds? Because as much as I like my grey weather- I’d say this is a little bit much”

 

The akuma growled, stomping her foot on the ground ”My name is not ice queen! It’s Stormy Weather!” She snapped.

 

Juleka rolled her eyes and slid down the fence, she brushed the hair out of her face and she gazed at her eyes.

 

”My My My! You are awfully prickly today-“ Juleka smiled, she tilted her head playfully. Her ears twitched while eyes searching for the possible akumatized object “I’ve got an idea! How about you call it quits so I can see your dazzling smile instead of your stormy pout?” she teased

 

Stormy Weather screamed in frustration, her pale and masked face a bright red. She lifted up her umbrella and aimed it straight at Juleka’s chest. The cat hero yelped as a gale force shoved her through the air.

 

She soared through the sky before crashing into the cement. Juleka wheezed in pain as she struggled to move. Her bones aching with pain.

 

Well. At least it worked? The object is probably in the umbrella. She thought. Her eyes narrowed- seriously how do people flirt like this all the time? Hell- how do I flirt like this all the time? This is exhausting.

 

”I thought cat’s always landed on their feet” A familiar voice cooed. Juleka looked up to see a familiar face. She smiled

 

”Heya partner, could you give me a helping paw?” She asked, before being heaved to her feet. The goth brushed the hair out of her face “Thanks- I should really stop flirting with the akumas..”

 

”Why do you even do that?” Ladybug asked, a smile curling across her lips. Juleka shrugged

 

”I dunno, I think their reactions are funny- also they make good distractions sometimes” She smirked slyly, before suddenly a crack or lightning cut through their thoughts. Stormy Weather floated slowly down towards them, cracking with energy. God dang it.

 

”We should be expecting lightning storms, like right now!” The akuma yelled, aiming her glowing umbrella at the two hero’s. Juleka huffed, her tail lashing impatiently

 

”Cool down ice queen- I’m not looking to pick a cat fight here” She said wryly. The akuma snarled and aimed her umbrella towards them- her umbrella crackled with energy- as the sky rumbled with lighting.

 

A blast of violet lighting slammed into the ground- Juleka felt her breath hitch as it burned inches away from her face- before Ladybug had tackled her out of the way. They tumbled across the ground, she could feel the ends of her eyebrows singing.

 

Her eyes opened, meeting Ladybug’s as they found herself on top of her. Her face paled as she quickly pulled off of her. Damn it is the universe trying to get us together? Is this what Plagg meant by soulmates? The fucking bullshit!

 

It seemed Ladybug had the same idea as the shared uncomfortable grimace on her face spelt familiar emotions. Juleka dusted herself off and glared at Stormy Weather, her ears flattened against her head.

 

”Fuck this shit!” She hissed, before charging forward. The akuma only cackled, before sending another blast towards the ground.

 

Black Ice!

 

In a matter of seconds, the street had been covered in a sheet of slippery ice. Juleka yelped as she her legs shot up from beneath her, dropping her to the ground.

 

She looked up just in time to see Stormy Weather aiming her umbrella at them again- wind sent cars flying backwards as Juleka dug her nails into the ground.

 

The cat hero screamed in pain as she struggled to stay put- a horribly scratching sound not unlike the scraping of a chalkboard filled the street as she slowly was pushed back. Her grip was lost- and Juleka was sent tumbling backwards.

 

Before she could crash into the mountain of destroyed cars, her tail was yanked forward, she looked up to see Ladybug holding her in place as they hung mid air by a pole- before the wind stopped abruptly and sent them plopping against the ground.

 

Juleka groaned with pain. God she hated today so much. She looked up dazedly- Stormy Weather was gone. She pulled herself up to her feet.

 

”Damn it this sucks..” she hissed. Ladybug got up

 

”You’re telling me..” the red heroine said dryly “I can tell that this is gonna be a long battle..”

 

They bounced over a few buildings, following the sounds of sirens and explosions. Juleka’s ear twitched with agitation. God she was tired. She wondered how easy it would be to just.. knock the akuma unconscious? Just bang them in the head really hard and see if they drop?

 

Like- Miraculous Cure did a lot- it could probably speed up the process hypothetically, her eyes narrowed- Nah.. Ladybug would never let me do that.. she realized. And Rose would probably be horrified..

 

Their eyes landed on the street below, seeing Stormy Weather float ominously, the wind picking up as the akuma’s eyes met hers. The smell of burning metal filled her lungs, her nose twitched at the electrifying and ozone filled atmosphere. It prickled against her skin as they stared the obvious weather girl down.

 

Juleka’s eyes narrowed as she cracked her knuckles “I’m down for little roughhousing right now.. you in partner?” She asked, Ladybug smiled confidently

 

”Sure kitty- as long as you follow my lead!” The blunette exclaimed, before darting up towards the wall next to them. Her body turned mid air as she began to run on the side of it. Juleka’s eyes widened slightly When could we do that?! I didn’t know we could do that! That’s dope!

 

Juleka turned and ran towards the wall across the street, her body moved on its own as she her claws embedded into the cement before she ran forward, completely parallel to the ground. She spun her staff wildly as she leapt off, letting out a battle cry as she pounced towards Stormy Weather.

 

”Not you again!” The akuma growled, before releasing another cyclone towards them- Juleka’s hair flapped in the wind as they were sent flying over the city- Ladybug’s screams filling her ears. She groaned annoyedly, crossing her arms as they flew.

 

”We aren’t getting paid enough for this.” She deadpanned- before they crashed into the ground.

 

Juleka looked up, before jumping out of the way of a car- she spun around- barely dodging another- and another. She ducked as two fell against each other, barely smushing her. Then the sound of whizzing metal filled her ears, she looked up in horror as a large bus began to grow closer and closer, flying at terrifying speeds.

 


She flexed her claws- ready to cataclysm it- before Ladybug had snatched her arm and pulled her close. She ducked her head as the shorter girl began to swing her yoyo around at impossible speeds. She’s not going to- oh god she is isn’t she-

 

Juleka closed her eyes- praying that perhaps that their death would be quick and easy-

 

The impact never came as she opened her eyes- they were now inside the bus and as she looked down- she could see the hole Ladybug had somehow drilled through with her yo-yo. She was impressed for a few moments before feeling it bonk on her head.

 

”Ow!” She hissed, rubbing her skull as Ladybug let out a weak laugh. Okay yep. She was done with this.

 

They slipped out of the car and made their way through the street. Juleka snarled with anger as she saw a tv screen light up- Stormy Weather’s face popped up with a large smug smile.

 

Hello viewers! Here’s the latest forecast for the first day of summer!” She said before pointing at the screen “Looks like Mother Nature had a change in plans! Summer vacation is officially over!

 

“Could she get more dramatic than this?” Juleka wondered out loud, tapping her foot impatiently on the ground.

 

”I wouldn’t be surprised honestly. At least we know where she is! Let’s hurry!” Ladybug said, as they darted to the recording studio. The weather was getting worse, the thick and prickling air that came with a storm hung in the air as they burst inside. 

 

Her ears perked up. They were getting close. Juleka and Ladybug skidded to a stop as they saw a small cardboard cut out of a familiar weather girl.

 

”That’s her” Juleka said thickly “My vote’s on the parasol, I was thinking about it when I was flirting with her- what do you think partner?”

 

Ladybug nodded ”I agree with you, it’ll be hard to get it out of her hands though, c’mon we gotta go!”

 

The two heroes ran through the empty and abandoned halls, before finding a door.

 

In Stormy Weather’s world- it’s a winter wonderland!” The voice said behind the door, Juleka’s hands twitched- eager to claw into the akuma. “Forever!”

 

Ladybug and Juleka burst through the door, their eyes widened as they found an empty stage. No way.. it..

 

”It was a recording!” Ladybug gasped. Juleka grimaced Great! When the fuck did she get time to do that!? Mother fucking bullshit!

 

They spun around as the Stormy Weather giggled behind them. Her face was twisted into a sinister grin as she aimed her parasol at them. Juleka grabbed onto Ladybug’s wrist and threw her backwards- as the akuma sent a blast of energy at a stage light above, making it crash in their spot.

 

Juleka stumbled backwards- when suddenly all of the lights shut off. She shook her head, her eyes stung with pain for a moment- before she opened them and was met with a green tinted world. Complete night vision.! Who knew!

 

Stormy Weather Laughed- before turning heel and darting down the hallway. Juleka hissed in irritation before turning to see Ladybug wandering aimlessly around, arms stretched in front of her as she was completely blind.

 

”Partner she’s getting away!” She exclaimed, rushing forward to grab into Ladybug’s hand again. Their hands intertwined tightly as she pulled Ladybug forward

 

”Sorry I don’t have night visio- wOAH!” The blunette yelped as Juleka immediately darted down the hallway, dragging her behind mercilessly “Panthera slow down!” She gasped, her feet barely able to catch up

 

Juleka huffed, pausing. This wouldn’t do.. Her eyes studied Ladybug for a moment before hauling the red hero onto her back, piggyback style- Ladybug squeaked with surprise as Juleka began to run again

 

“Hold on!” She growled as she carried Ladybug through the building. Juleka was fortunate that Rose and Alix requested so many piggy back rides from her all the time because this would’ve been torture.. this is what she gets for being the tall friend.

 

They pushed into a stairway. Her emerald eyes narrowed as she saw Stormy Weather skip up the stairs, cackling. She ducked under a thrown fire extinguisher much to Ladybug’s surprise- before continuing up the stairs.

 

Juleka smashed down the door with her foot- entering the roof top. Her eyes stung from the light- before she shook her head- her pupils thinned then grew again as they readjusted. They were in the eye of the storm now.

 

Ladybug wriggled out of her grasp- as Stormy Weather cackled above them. The air was damp and cold- the wind blew through their hair as they stared up at the supervillain.

 

”You airheads! You fell right into my trap!” She laughed, the cyclone increased- Juleka gasped as the city disappeared around them, all they could see was well.. stormy weather- “There’s no way out! Party’s over fools!”

 

”We’re just getting started Stormy!” Ladybug exclaimed, before throwing her yo-yo up “Lucky charm!”

 

The bright pink light flashed in front of Juleka as in dropped a-

 

-are you fucking serious?



“A bath towel? What am I supposed to do with this?” Ladybug wondered out loud. Juleka groaned.

 

”Wonderful! At least we’re going to die dry!” She huffed, her partner let out a short laugh before wrapping the towel on her arm.

 

”You’re sarcasm is appreciated Panthera- Just hold onto your whiskers, I’ll figure something out” Ladybug smiled. Juleka softened a bit at that. She was right. She always did figure it out. Even if it was.. well.. a weird fucking plan.

 

Stormy Weather lifted up her umbrella menacingly ”Hail!”

 

A wave of ice blasted towards them, Juleka pushed Ladybug backwards, as she began to spin her staff- breaking the ice before it could touch them. She hissed in pain as exhaustion began to creep in. The cold bit at her cheeks as she looked back at her fellow hero

 

”Partner!” She urged. Ladybug looked around- her eyes shining as she began to scheme. A smile curled across her lips as she pointed towards

 

”See that sign over there? Check it out!” She said. Juleka looked at it and nodded, finally..

 

”Got it! Cataclysm!” The goth yelled, her hand glowed with dark energy as she began to move forward. “Hey Stormy Weather! How about you stop giving me the cold shoulder already?!” She yelled.

 

The akuma glared at her, sending blasts of lightning in her direction. Juleka dodged with ease as she vaulted over the many fans and ventilation pipes that gathered across the roof. She did a backflip as she landed on the ground- before sliding across the slippery and icy cement- 

 

Juleka scraped her claws against the sign’s post, watching it rust and decay within seconds- she rolled to the side as she watched it freak and shudder- before falling forward.

 

Ladybug shot her yo-yo forward- it wrapped around Stormy Weather’s leg as she blasted a hole in the sign and flew out. Juleka watched the rest of her partner’s plan play out with ease- as Ladybug had dragged down the weather girl like a pulley system- flying through the air with the towel.

 

As the umbrella flew out of her hands- Juleka caught it, before chucking it towards the red hero. Her hair was soaking as she landed towards the ground, fingers numb from the cold. She smiled weakly as she watched Ladybug crack the umbrella open- the butterfly barely flying out before being caught.

 

Juleka let out a breath as the world was washed over with her partner’s familiar warm magic. Ladybug ran over and fist pumped Juleka happily

 

”Pound it!” The red hero exclaimed. The goth smiled before pausing- she looked over to see Aurore, now cured.

 

”Hey there Weather Girl” she purred. Aurore looked up with surprise, her cheeks reddening a bit

 

”Did I get akumatized?! Oh no I’m so sorry! I tried to fight it back I swear!” The blonde cried, her eyes looking away “I just.. ugh.. Alec kept rubbing my defeat in and it just.. it just really sucked..”

 

Juleka sighed, scratching the back of her neck. She never was a fan of too much attention so she couldn’t imagine how that must’ve felt like..

 

”It’s okay, that Alec guy was a real asshole to you, and I understand why you’re angry you lost” She said, patting the girl’s shoulder. Aurore sulked a bit. Juleka thought for a moment before smiling “If it make you feel better- I voted for you. I think you’re a great weather girl, so don’t let this thing stop you”

 

She looked up, a smile playing across her face ”Really? You think so?” She asked

 

Juleka looked sheepishly at Ladybug who gave an encouraging thumbs up. She nodded.

 

”Yeah! Besides- I thought it was a little weird that they were making people vote for a weather girl anyways.” Juleka chuckled, patting the weather girl on the head. She gave a sly smirk “I always preferred cloudy weather.. but I hope I’ll see you on future forecast channels, I’m sure that you’ll brighten up me and many people’s days- Miss Sunny Weather”

 

Aurore seemed to short circuit after that, her cheeks burning a bright pink and sputtering out a loud ‘Thank you!’- as Juleka trotted after Ladybug. The red hero giggled

 

”You know- If you keep doing that- someone’s actually gonna get a big crush on you” She teased. The goth chuckled sheepishly, scratching the back of her neck.

 

”Maybe.. Ugh- you should see the comments on the Ladyblog about me.. yikes..” Juleka huffed “I feel bad too- Alya can never get a clear photo of me and my fans are angry., I think that’s why she interviews me so often- my stupid jinx..”

 

Ladybug stared at her curiously “Jinx?” She asked

 

Juleka was about to answer when her ring beeped indignantly. Her ears flattened before she smiled

 

”Gotta go Partner, see you around” She waved goodbye, before bouncing off. Juleka made it home on time. Luka gave her a friendly wave, pointing the tv as they talked about her and Ladybug’s win. She smirked proudly and nodded.

 

”Ladybug and Panthera Noire are really cool aren’t they” Luka said cheekily “I bet they’re just as dorky under the mask though”

 

Juleka laughed, “I bet! I also bet Panthera Noire is hungry as fuck and wants to forget about how much she was thrown like a rag doll today!”

 

Luka nodded and got up, starting dinner. Plagg flew around the boat freely, poking and prodding at Luka as he cooked. Juleka leaned on her elbow. The day finally was over..

 

...

 

That night- Juleka spat out her drink as she found a fan forum online about Panthera Noire ran by Aurore and a few others- about how the cat hero could ‘step on them and they thank her.

 

She decided she’d down down the flirting next time she went to fight..



Notes:

Again- WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS TIMELINE BULLSHIT?!
I’m livid- this chapter is like in June and last chapter was like- in February- so I don’t know what to do anymore because every time I search up shit- I get so many different dates ranging from Stormy Weather being in April and others being in like June. I’m so confused- so just pretend that stormy weather is just in april or something. God I hate and love this show- this timeline shit is upsetting me more than it should

Chapter 11: Ripples of Time

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

“It wasn’t my fault.!”

 

”..probably worthless anyway..”

 

“..My old man gave it to me it was a family heirloom!”

 

”Rose!”

 

”..Time out Timebreaker!”

 

“he was annoying anyways..”

 

”30 seconds..”

 

“This is all your damn fault!”

 

”ROSE!”

 

”Poor sweet and innocent Rose.. always thinking for others before herself..”

 

”DAMN IT ALIX.. I’LL KILL YOU!”

 

”Panthera!”

 

”PANTHERA!”

 

“Six minutes..”

 

”I’m so sorry.. I couldn’t save you.”

 

...

 

Juleka walked with Rose away from Trocadero. Her eyes narrowed and intertwined hands trembling.

 

Today had been a real shitty day.. She wasn’t exactly sure what had happened- but the overwhelming and lingering feelings she held from the apparent time travel bullshit that happened from Alix’s akumatation was enough to tick her off.

 

She sighed as they slowed near a cafe. Rose looked up at her, eyes glimmering brightly.

 

“Juleka what’s wrong?” She asked. Juleka’s heart ached seeing her- it felt like loss, grief, she didn’t know why though.. she didn’t know what happened during the time that was erased thanks to other timeline Ladybug- but definitely something bad.. 

 

”Nothing” She mumbled. Yes. There was nothing wrong. Ladybug and her saved the day after all. But.. it didn’t stop her grip on the blonde girl from tightening.

 

’The second Ladybug stared at her with wide and glossy eyes, she pushed past her partner and embraced Juleka in a bone crushing hug.

”I’m so sorry..“ is all she said- her voice soft and shaking “I couldn’t save you..”

Juleka’s eyes flickered to Her Ladybug in horror, their eyes widening at the realization of what had happened in the other timeline’

 

Rose’s eyes narrowed with concern as Juleka winced at the memory, 

 

”Juleka..” she pressed. Juleka took a deep breath

 

”I’ll tell you later.. it’s just..” Juleka’s eyes trailed Rose’s face “..I don’t know- that akuma attack was just.. a lot..”

 

It was honestly a blur. The difference between reality and a distant foggy memory was unclear- but a strong and burning feeling of loss and hurt made her heart unsteady.

 

”Were you scared?” Rose asked. The goth paused and nodded slowly “It’s okay to be scared of the akuma attacks Juleka! You’re alway so brave during them anyways so it’s alright!”

 

Juleka deflated a bit “I’m not brave.. I’m terrified most of the time really..”

 

”Really?! But you look so fearless! You pull me away from danger all the time and you go rush to help whoever you see!” Rose exclaimed, her cheeks growing a soft pink.

 

Juleka covered her mouth to suppress the choking sound she was going to let out from the embarrassment- her face a bright scarlet. She gathered her thoughts to speak

 

”Th-Thanks.. Rose.. but I think you’re the real brave one here..” She mumbled shyly. The blonde tilted her head

 

”Me? But why?”

 

Well Juleka could name a number of things really.. Rose was the world to her, her sunbeam, her everything. She couldn’t imagine a life without her. She smiled warmly, 

 

“You see the best in everyone Rose. Even the akumas. Even Chloe.” Juleka said carefully “I think you believing in so many people is braver than me just thinking monsters are cool..”

 

Rose’s eyes widened slightly, her mouth parting for a moment before she shut it close- she smiled brightly and held Juleka’s hand tighter.

 

”Well its not easy, because akuma’s are scary and so is Chloe” Rose giggled softly, her laugh making Juleka’s heart do flips “But it’s not hard either, because admittedly, I think I have a very rosy view on the world-”

 

Her gaze softened as she stared into Juleka’s eyes, sky blue and sparkling.

 

”-That doesn’t change the fact that I think people are good inside though, We’ve seen a Chloe genuinely excited over something and that’s when she forgets to be mean, and the akuma victims get saved in the end by Ladybug and Panthera Noire! So we can believe in them!” She continued, 

 

Juleka smiled and nodded, Her cheeks flushing “You’re right Rose, thanks”

 

”Oh I wasn’t meaning to change your views on anything Jules! I respect your opinions- I know that Chloe can be mean to you sometimes- a-and I was just saying what I was thinking-“ Rose squeaked, Juleka tilted her head

 

”Jules?”

 

Rose paused for a moment, her cheeks warming slightly

 

“It’s.. it’s a nickname.. sorry is that okay?” She asked sweetly, putting her other hand on Juleka’s hands

 

The goth nodded quickly, feeling her face burn a bright red. Her stomach twisted and fluttered. Her heart felt like it was going to burst from her chest. She was practically melting from their hand contact,

 

”Y-Yeah! Yes! It’s uh..” Juleka hid behind her bangs embarrassedly “..it’s.. it’s awesome” She squeaked awesome? Awesome Jules? What kind of shit answer is that?! You should’ve said cute!

 

”Awesome?”

 

”Yo- I.. It’s really cute..” She mumbled, covering her face- begging to whatever god there was out there that Rose couldn’t see her blush DAMN IT THAT WAS WORSE “I.. I like it.. thank you..” I like you she thought, but stayed silent.

 

Rose grinned “Really? I’m glad Jules! I remember your brother calling you it and I didn’t want to well.. steal it from him and you or something,,” she said shyly, squeezing Juleka’s hand.

 

You could call me anything and I’d still melt.. the goth thought Wait that sounds inappropriate.. she realized, her cheeks reddening.

 

”I’m sorry I don’t have a nickname for you Rose, should I call you by anything?” She asked, Rose squeaked

 

”I-I mean if you want to! Rose is pretty short on it’s own so I haven’t had a lot of nicknames before..” The blonde girl murmured, her gaze casting off. Juleka hummed for a moment, she could hear Plagg squirming around her pocket and a thought crossed her mind.

 

Should I..? No that’s mean.. Maybe..? No. No I’m not..

 

”I’ll stick to Rose for now then.. I’m not good at nicknames sorry..” She mumbled, Nicknames and quips are for Panthera Noire.. she thought to herself.

 

There was a flash of disappointment that went across Rose’s eyes which made Juleka’s heart ache- before warmth spread across Rose’s face again

 

”That’s okay! I enjoy hearing you say my name anyways! Your voice is beautiful Jules- along every part of you!” She said brightly,

 

Juleka choked back a loud squealing sound, coughing into her fist in utter shock- her heart doing flips and her face turning a beet red. ”A-Ah I mean I..” she sputtered “You.. you really think so?”

 

Rose shuffled on the ground, they had stopped at her house.

 

”You are beautiful Jules..“ She said in a hushed whisper, her cheeks covered in a pink dust “..Promise me you’ll believe that?”

 

Juleka sputtered, her cheeks a bright pink as she hid behind her long bangs

 

”I-I uhh I..“ 

 

Rose smiled softly, she gave Juleka a quick hug before skipping into the house- she opened the door, waved goodbye, and disappeared.

 

The goth stood at the sidewalk silently before darting off. Her face was beet red and she felt like screaming, Plagg’s insensitive snickering filled her ears as she pushed through the crowds that she easily disappeared into and fled home.

 

Climbing aboard, she had practically shoved past Luka and collapsed onto her bed, screaming into her pillow. He moved over, patting her back softly. When she was finally done with her freak out, he handed her a guitar

 

”I can hear how you feel already but I’d like to see how you describe it” He said, Juleka sniffled- before holding it in her hands. God.. I’m freaking out. My heart is literally in shambles.. she thought as she ripped her fingers across the chords Rose is so perfect.. she’s probably doing something right now while I’m literally having a heart attack..

 

...

 

Rose screamed into her pillow, face a bright red- WHY DID I SAY THAT?!? She screamed internally as her legs kicked against her bed.

 

...

 

God I’m such a mess.. Juleka grimaced as she finished the intense guitar shredding. Her chest heaved up and down as she put the guitar down. Luka gingerly took it, and started to play his own somber and calm tune.

 

She recognized it to be his feeling. Calm. Serene. A little sad. But also complex.

 

”I heard there was an attack by Trocadero today” He said flatly, his eyes steady on her “That’s where you were weren’t you, some skating thing?”

 

She nodded, eyes following Plagg as he flew in with a square of cheese in his mouth.

 

”Yeah.. There was.” She murmured, brushing a hand through her hand “..I.. I think I died?”

 

That made Luka pause- his eyes widened and burned with a cold fury.

 

”What?” He hissed through his teeth, she swerved around and threw her hands up

 

”It’s okay!” Juleka exclaimed, “I’m okay! Uh.. okay so uh..”

 

Her hands grew clammy as she twiddled her fingers- “Alix- short pink girl yeah? Someone broke her really important family heirloom watch, and she got time travel powers.. but she could only time travel by taking basically.. the life source out of someone. I don’t remember it.. but.. she got everyone except Ladybug and traveled back in time to save her watch-“

 

”-Didn’t work.” She deadpanned, twisting the ring around her finger “Ah.. when we won we basically merged the timelines.. I don’t remember what happened in the first timeline.. but.. I can still.. feel it...”

 

Luka started at her, before sighing “So that’s why I hear an immense feeling of loss from you.. you’re song.. it’s all buried deep inside, but it sounds like you’re ripping across an untuned violin.”

 

Juleka cringed at the description, she scratched the back of her neck sheepishly

 

”I.. I don’t think I reacted well to.. when Rose..” Her head ached with pain as she searched through returning and fuzzy memories. Slowly, it began to open-

 

‘Juleka darted past the tree, she had expected Rose to have followed- but when she turned around, her stomach dropped as she saw her running after Time Breaker.

”Rose no!” She yelled, grabbing onto her wrist- the blonde shook her head, jerking her hand away. That action alone was enough to break her heart.

”I can’t Juleka! We messed up! I’ve got to-“

“Please help me up!” Alix’s voice rang. Juleka watched as the akuma reached her hand out to Rose. No no no no! “I messed up please!”

”Okay” Rose said, reaching her hand out- then in seconds, Alix’s painful expression twisted into a sinister grin. She snatched Rose’s wrist and froze her in place.

Juleka’s blood ran cold as she watched her everything.. fade.

Plagg’s voice was a distant murmur.. Juleka was seething.. and all she saw was red- as she uttered

”Plagg Claws out..!”’

 

She rubbed her head, wincing with pain as a wave of her past rage filtered over her, her hands trembled for a moment before she forced them to still.

 

”You okay?” Luka asked, she nodded weakly

 

”Yeah I’m good.. I think gonna go get some fresh air.. Plagg?” The kwami looked up from a pile of clothes, he nodded and flew over, purring slightly as he brushed against her cheek “Claws out-“

 

Her transformation washed over her as she opened up the porthole again, Luka grabbed onto her tail, tugging her slightly to gain her attention. Juleka turned to look at him before being pulled into a large hug.

 

Her eyes widened slightly before wrapping her arms around him

 

”Thanks Luka.. I’ll be back..” she whispered, before darting off into the city.

 

...

 

She was out for a few hours before it had somehow began to rain, Juleka found herself waltzing through the streets in silence, her hood pulled over her head to cover her slightly soaked hair.

 

She loved cloudy and rainy weather, sound of rain was a comforting sound and it eased her tense nerves. However it was fortunate that someone handed her an umbrella though.. This was crazy weather.. 

 

Her tail swished around as the droplets hit her dark umbrella, the ripples in the puddles providing something to focus on. Part of her hated the eyes that followed her where she went- she wasn’t used to being.. well.. she wasn’t used to be being adored.

 

Juleka was completely invisible but Panthera couldn’t be seen enough! Her ears flattened against her head- she didn’t feel anything like Panthera right now though..

 

Maybe I should go see Rose.. or maybe Alix, she’s probably taking this hard.. she thought to herself, before she felt someone brush against her shoulder. Juleka looked down and saw Ladybug next to her, smiling softly.

 

”Hey there Partner” She purred, doing her best Panthera voice. Ladybug’s eyes narrowed suspiciously and Juleka sighed. That easy to see through me huh? She thought “What are you doing out in this weather?” She murmured quietly

 

”Got a tip from the Ladyblog, word spreads fast when people spot you. You go to some random places kitty” Ladybug said amusedly, Juleka chuckled hollowly

 

”Yeah? I doubt any of them could get a good picture of me though” She smirked, her partner laughed 

 

“Yeah actually! There’s a meme going around that it’s impossible to get a good picture of you, not to say that you aren’t pretty or anything, but it’s like..”

 

”..it goes wrong every time? Yeah I know. It’s a bit of jinx of mine..” The goth sulked, her ears flattening. Ladybug’s face scrunched up

 

”You’ve said that before.. jinx.. what do you mean by that?” Ladybug asked curiously. Juleka cringed slightly

 

”I doubt that you’ll meet my civilian form.. but I’d rather keep that on the classified department- but in simple words.. I’m like ninety percent sure that I’m cursed with photos.”

 

”Really?”

 

Juleka nodded “Really.”

 

”Do curses exist?” The red hero said, her eyes widened. The cat hero thought for moment before nodding

 

”Plagg said they do, maybe I’ll ask him about it one day” She snickered “I know a few brats who deserve a few hexes..”

 

”Panthera!” Ladybug scolded, Juleka laughed- before covering her mouth in embarrassment. Her partner titled her head. “Why’d you stop laughing?

 

The cat hero deflated a bit, her shoulders rising uncontrollably 

 

“My laugh is a little embarrassing..” she mumbled, her bangs falling over her face “..I.. I dunno I only laugh around my family really.. I dunno.. I try and blend in with the background mostly anyways.. which is weird and contradicting I guess because I also don’t like being invisible? Ugh.. I’m weird..”

 

It only then that Juleka realized how much she and rambled, and how ‘Juleka’ she had become- she quickly pulled the hair from her face and straightened up- her cheeks darkened with shame as she shook her head

 

”A-Ah sorry!” She said, voice lightening up back into her hero persona “I got a little dark there!”

 

Ladybug stopped walking for a moment, making Juleka stop in return. The two stared at each other for a moment, the rain pouring around them.

 

”Partner you okay?”

 

The red hero blinked, shaking her head

 

”Y-Yeah I’m okay I just..” She laughed hollowly “I just.. I guess I just remembered we’re both different people behind the mask..”

 

Juleka fell silent, the soft rain sputtering against the umbrella fogging over her thoughts as the two continued to walk through the streets, she looked down

 

”Are you cold in that suit?” She asked, her tail twisting around 

 

Ladybug looked up at her and shrugged

 

”Not really actually, are you?”

 

The goth shook her head “Do you think these suits are like.. immune to the weather?”

 

”Half of me hopes so and half of me hopes not” Ladybug said “Because then I can design us matching scarfs if we get cold!”

 

The cat hero smiled

 

”That would be cute wouldn’t it” She nodded thoughtfully, “Hah- I can imagine civilian you all huddled up in your home, hot cup of cocoa, probably cookies-“

 

”Tikki loves cookies!” Ladybug glowed

 

”Even better!” Juleka grinned “Just sewing and drawing and knitting and whatever, all cozy. Meanwhile I’m having a gay heart attack on how to talk to my best friend.” She deadpanned.

 

Ladybug giggled “Trust me- I’m not as relaxed and so put together as you think”

 

”Oh yeah? Well I’m not as charming as you think!” Juleka said smugly, winking- her partner smirked

 

”Who said I thought you were charming, kitty?”

 

“Oh partner I am hurt!” The goth snickered, putting a hand dramatically over her chest before sulking “Seriously though- I feel like you’re more famous than me but I still have the weirder fans..”

 

”Well- I’d rather us be both be on equal ground.. I always feel like throwing hands when they refer to you as my side kick- however you’re right, your fans are..” Ladybug pursed her lips together, looking away “..interesting..“ she muttered, cheeks a slight pink.

 

Ah, yes. The LadyNoire shippers. How could Juleka forget. She shuddered- God I hate it when people ask me about that.. she thought to herself before continuing forward

 

”I’m glad people didn’t see me get killed by TimeBreaker today then.. who knows what would’ve happened if people found out about that, poor Alix” Juleka giggled softly, before pausing. She looked down to see Ladybug’s sullen gaze

 

”Do you remember that?”

 

Juleka scratched the back of her neck nervously, her gaze drifting to the street. The damp smell of the wet cement filled her heightened senses. Her ears twitched with each fallen droplet hitting the umbrella, as she could feel the hairs on the back of her neck rise as a wave of goosebumps grew over her.

 

She shuddered before nodding “Barely” she whispered “I’m guessing you do?”

 

Ladybug paused for a moment, her eyes searching her briefly before speaking

 

”Yeah. It was scary.” Her partner murmured, pressing her shoulder to Juleka’s.

 

The goth froze for a moment before continuing. She had gotten touchier with people ever since she got the cat ring, however her need for contact increased as Panthera- it still was something to get used to

 

”You were.. you were so mad..” Ladybug said, bluebell eyes staring far across the horizon “But.. but then you saw me- and you protected me instead. I was so scared.. and I think I understand why I was so frazzled when I saw you in the second timeline.”

 

Juleka nodded thoughtfully, remembering the bloodthirsty rage that had taken over her during that moment. 

 

”Sorry.. I guess I don’t have a greater handle on my emotions than I thought..” She mumbled, her ears flattening against her head “I’m sorry you..”

 

’Juleka slammed her baton across Alix’s head, watching her clatter across the ground. The akuma growled in irritation as she skated around her, the disgusting scraping sound against the ground filled her ears as she darted across the arena.

”DAMN IT ALIX! I’LL KILL YOU!” Juleka snarled, her eyes slitted and cold- she swore she saw a flicker of fear go across the akuma’s face, before switching back to annoyance.’

 

Juleka winced at the sudden memory, her throat dry ”..I’m sorry you had to see that..”

 

”It’s okay, I didn’t know you..” there was a few moments where Ladybug paused to look at her, she quickly shook her head and smiled “..I didn’t know you cared about Rose Lavillant so much..”

 

Juleka froze, the hair rising at the back of her neck slightly as she turned to look at her partner. There was a shared silence between them before she smiled carefully

 

”She’s my biggest fan Partner. That’s all.” She said coldly, her tail lashing insensitively. Ladybug stared at her before nodding quietly. The two continued to walk down the sidewalk, even after the rain had long gone.

 

Juleka spoke about her life as vaguely as possible while Ladybug shared parts of hers. They even shared little details and cute facts about themself that they had.

 

”You can’t see it when I’m transformed.. but I have freckles under the mask!” Ladybug whispered

 

”I always have snacks packed just in case Plagg gets hungry at school.. so I’m always prepared now..” Juleka chuckled

 

”I actually die my hair blue but it gets brighter when I’m Ladybug..”

 

”I have a habit of disappearing easily, which is why I’m able to transform easily during school, I just use my flakey classmate as an excuse by saying I’m trying to find her.”

 

”I always have a sewing kit on hand.”

 

“I know how to drive a boat.”

 

Ladybug halted, 

 

”You do?” She asked, her eyes widened with genuine awe

 

”Don’t ask why, my mom made me and my brother learn the moment we were able to walk and grab stuff” The goth snickered, brushing a hand through her hair.

 

“I’m pretty sure that’s illegal.”

 

”Well probably, but what are the police gonna do about it? Arrest me?” Juleka snarked, resulting in Ladybug punching her shoulder playfully “Haha! Okay okay” she hummed for a moment before snapping “My eyes are copper.”

 

”You’ve told me that before!”

 

”Have I? Huh. I didn’t realize” Juleka said flatly, scratching the back of her neck “I guess it’s just surprising, I wonder how many people think green is my natural eye color.”

 

”Probably a lot” Ladybug giggled “My eyes probably become a whole lot more vibrant when transformed”

 

”Oh yeah, they don’t look like- they look almost unnaturally blue” Juleka said, looking closer at her partner’s face. Huh, she did have freckles. Nice. Ladybug’s eyes were an almost silvery blue. Almost.. unearthly. Kind of trippy. It was cool.

 

”Right? I never have a lot of time to see what I look like other than the ladyblog, but I’m pretty sure my eyes aren’t like.. yknow.. this” Ladybug motioned to her face before smiling “I bet your eyes are pretty, Panthera”

 

”I.. thanks Ladybug..” she mumbled, her cheeks warming slightly as her tail swished around. “Maybe you’ll see them one day, for now though, I’d like to see how long my fans will believe my eyes are green.”

 

”I think my fans will be disappointed with my plainer looks..” Ladybug huffed, Juleka laughed and patted her head

 

”I hope mine will be disappointed with my plainer looks! I mean- plain is a strong word sense I’m goth but still!” She exclaimed amusedly “I don’t like being completely invisible to people but god this is too much! Still- this is a hypothetical situation where we’d share our identities to the public..”

 

“You don’t want to?”

 

Juleka shook her head ”Too much attention. While being a hero would be wonderful on my feature resume, Panthera Noire would follow me no matter where I’d go.. probably ruin my life somehow..”

 

”Yeah you’re right, like I said, I wanna be a fashion designer,, if people knew I was Ladybug- they’d just suck up to me being me instead of me being skilled.. and I’d hate that..” Ladybug groaned, before sulking “although.. I’d probably have to tell the person I’d be dating too..”

 

”Which hopefully would be..?”

 

Ladybug flushed “..A-Adrien..”

 

Juleka sighed ahh.. young love.. wait I sound like Rose what the fuck-

 

Well hey, at least we’re both pining idiots together then..” She shrugged nonchalantly, as the two heroes thought wistfully about their crushes. She eventually checked the rain and set the umbrella on the ground “We should go, dinner time soon.”

 

”Oh yeah.. I lost track of time..” Ladybug said, twirling a hand through her ribbons “Thanks for the chat Panthera, see you around?”

 

”Sure Partner, see you next time!” She winked playfully, before bouncing off- she smiled as she heard a loud ‘bug out!’ and then ran off.

 

Notes:

As you can see- I skipped TimeBreaker
Like- it’s such a dope episode- and I love it- but I really didn’t want to rewrite it because there wouldn’t be much to rewrite besides Juleka’s commentary on how much she really fucking hated Kim, Chloe, and Alix in that moment.
Luckily, I just put those fun bits in her memories

I decided that the aftermath would be a better thing to write sense that’s just where it ends and we don’t know what the fuck Juleka and Rose would be doing for the rest of the day, which means more stuff for me to come up with

Akuma attacks specifically that I’m skipping are probably gonna be stuff like Mister Pigeon- so stuff that wouldn’t have much change between Juleka and Adrien- of course Juleka doesn’t have an allergy with birds but that isn’t going to change much

EDIT:
I ENDED UP WRITING TIMEBREAKER ANYWAYS ITS RIGHT HERE: https://archiveofourown.org/works/29304624 AND CAN ALSO BE FOUND IN THE SERIES LIST

Chapter 12: Effects

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Juleka tapped her foot impatiently on the bench as she stared at the empty piece of paper. She hummed a bit before shaking her head, as she scratched out her drawing. She paused for a moment as she felt something brush on her leg- she rose an eyebrow and looked down

 

A small tabby cat. She blinked with surprise, a little perturbed. It looked up at her with large golden eyes before brushing against her leg again. Juleka awkwardly scratched it behind its ear and then went back to her drawing.

 

To be honest.. she didn’t super like cats before. Or dogs for that matter. But with Plagg around, they started to grow on her. It did t stop her from being allergic to dogs though unfortunately.. despite how much Rose loved puppies..

 

She found herself scribbling again the paper more before pausing again, as she felt another small weight add to her lap. She stared, completely dumbfounded as another cat had sat on her lap. Her eyes widened with surprise, as she realized that it had no collar.

 

Juleka reached for her sketchbook again but set it down in utter defeat as she watched in horror as more cats began to slink over. A couple of short hairs- some tabbies, most strays, few collared.

 

Juleka started in morbid fascination as she sat silt on the bench as the cats huddled around her, climbing over her legs and positioning themself in her vicinity.

 

”On my god.” She whispered, scratching one between it’s ears, watching as the feline melted in her touch, letting out a loud purring sound. Plagg peaked out from her hood and snickered, she rose an eyebrow at him and he casually shrugged

 

“Side effects” he said plainly, much to her dismay. Oh boy..

 

...

 

”Hi Jules!” Rose greeted brightly, making Juleka’s heart flutter before the blonde paused and looked down at her feet “Who’s your friend?” She asked curiously.

 

”Friend?” Juleka titled her head before freezing as she felt a rumbling ball of fluff purr against her leg. She looked down and saw a large calico cat rubbing it’s cheek on her shin. She cursed, trying to move away from it, watching as it simply followed her.

 

Rose laughed softly, she was practically glowing- Juleka’s eyes widened slightly, before flushing into a soft pink. The cat looked up at her before leaping up into Rose’s arms, who caught the cat on impulse, the blonde gasped with delight.

 

”Look Jules! It likes me!” She exclaimed. Juleka had practically melted at the sight, her breath hitching. The cat stared at her big golden and saucer like eyes- it stared her before blinking softly, and then snuggling into Rose’s elbow- the girl squealed in delight.

 

Juleka smiled “It sure does Rose..” she murmured, before the sound of large steps came from behind her- Ivan and Mylene approached.

 

”Hi Rose! Hi Juleka!” Mylene squeaked before stopping in her tracks, her eyes blown open and her soft and polite smile turning into a large grin “Oh my goodness kitties!”

 

”Wait- Kitties? As in.. plural? But there’s only onEOHMYGOD” Juleka exclaimed, as she looked down and saw practically a herd of cat at her feet, all purring loudly and huddling around her and Rose. She could hear Plagg snickering beside her and she found herself internally screaming.

 

”Jules you have an army!” Rose said in an astonished whisper, as she handed a cat to Mylene and Ivan.

 

The four quickly moved away from the street and towards the park, Juleka sat on the ground and found herself swarmed again- As the cats struggled to find a seat in her laps or a place in her arms.

 

”Ffuck..” she hissed as Rose and Mylene squealed in awe, Ivan chuckling behind them as he held a very small kitten in his very large hands- which she honestly found a whole lot cuter than her being tangled with felines.

 

One particular cat, a sleek black and green eyed one somehow climbed onto her shoulders and snuggled into her neck. She groaned great.. anything else I should know about side effects..? She wondered.

 

...

 

”God damnnit.”

 

”J-Jules..”

 

”Do not fucking laugh at me.”

 

”I-I can’t sto-stop..” Luka wiped a tear from his eye as he stared at her, his shoulders trembling as he couldn’t contain his cackling. Juleka glared at him from the box she found herself laying inside.

 

”Luka Couffaine- you shit for brains brother- I will literally kill you in your sleep.” She hissed, as Luka finally cracked and fell over laughing.

 

...

 

Juleka groaned as she sat, perched above a building and looking down on a large amount of reporters. She really should’ve expected this.

 

”Panthera Noire! Should we really trust the city in you and Ladybug’s hands!”

 

“Who are you and why are you doing this?”

 

”What is the reason behind your night escapades through the city!”

 

”Are you or are you not Ladybug’s sidekick?”

 

She cringed, her tail lashing uncomfortably, she groaned and pushed down her fear

 

”Yes you can! Me and my partner have our lives on the line for you Parisian and we will continue to- My civilian form is and will always be classified but regardless I want to protect the people I love-“ Juleka answered quickly, “I have free time and I like to connect with the people I’m keeping safe! And also..”

 

Her eyes narrowed, she could feel them narrow into slits as her hair bristled

 

”.. I am not Ladybug’s sidekick. I.. am her partner.. we are both equals” She hissed. The reporters deflated and shrunk away, before a small child with a small plastic microphone ran up, her mother running behind.

 

”Excuse Miss Pantha- panthe- Panthera Noire!” She squeaked. Juleka rose an eyebrow and hopped down, greeting the child who squealed in excitement at seeing her hero. The reporter’s backed up before pushing forward, shoving the girl out of the way-


“What is your relationship with Ladybug-“

 

”Why do you wear your style of clothing-“

 

“Panthera do yo-“

 

Juleka snarled, a fit of rage bubbling in her throat, she watched in pride as they backed up. Her hair was bristling and her eyes were needle-like.

 

She turned and saw the young girl on the ground, her face red with tears. She pushed the reporters out of the way and picked the girl up in her arms, she smiled politely at the mother and then turned to her.

 

”I’m sorry Miss, I think you were going to ask me a question yes?” She said in the softest tone she could. The girl’s eyes lit up and she watched smugly as the remaining reporters stomped away. She set the girl down and sat on the sidewalk who held up her microphone.

 

Her mother pulled up her phone and started to record as the girl pulled out a small paper list and began to lift the toy towards the cat hero.

 

”I wanna be a reporter when I grow up!” She said excitedly “I wanna report on my heroes first! But I already did Mama, so I wanted to report on you!”

 

She watched the woman’s face melt and she felt her heart squeeze. Juleka brushed a hair out of her face and smiled the best she could.

 

”Well Miss I’m so glad you came to me.. What would you like to ask me?” She asked, as the girl began to list off innocent and excitement filled questions

 

...

 

”How dare you.”

 

”I’m sorry I just- I just.. I just needed to test it..” Ladybug said between gasps, as she held up a laser pointer. Juleka glared at her.

 

”Why are we friends?”

 

”Come on! Just five minutes I wanna see if this works!” Ladybug exclaimed. Juleka groaned and shrugged

 

”I doubt it will but you really shouldn’t.. shouldn't..” Her eyes blew open as she stared at the glowing red dot. Her hand twitched as she’d desperately told her self not.. to..

 

She shook her head as every part of her body screamed for her to case the thing. No no do not. She begged inside her mind

 

Ladybug stared at her with wide, expecting, and fake innocent eyes. Juleka hissed, her arms shaking as she suddenly lunged towards the dot, abandoning all senses of seriousness as she ran after it-

 

the sounds of Ladybug’s laughter melted away from her ears as she chased it, hand slapping on the surface of where it was before snarling as she lifted her palm and found it gone.

 

...

 

”Why is my side effects so much.. worse than Ladybug’s?” Juleka asked Plagg, he shrugged

 

”Well she’s a bug, and maybe if she was a different bug she’d have more instinctual side effects like you do- however just you wait until winter, that’s going to be an interesting time.” He said, munching on a piece of cheese, she nodded and returned to work.

 

...

 

”No. I’m not playing with a ball of yarn- no you are not allowed to use that face on me.”

 

Rose pouted adorably, it made Juleka’s heart clench but she still held her ground. Her large sky blue eyes shining in the night glow.

 

”Please! I wanna see if it works!” She said, the cat hero shook her head stubbornly

 

”No.”

 

The blonde stared at her intensely before strutting over and petting a hand through Juleka’s hair. Her cheeks darkened as she felt her legs wobbled from the touch. Her stomach twisted and she felt her body melt and shudder from the wait her crush’s fingers tailed through her dark locks.

 

”Please? For me?” She cooed, smiling at the way Juleka had unknowingly began to purr. The goth covered her face, feeling the way they reddened. Her tail lashed and she sighed

 

”F-Fine..” she mewled, her ear twitching as she leaned into Rose’s petting “But I can’t really., force myself to..”

 

”It’s okay! Because we’ll see if you won’t need to!” Rose cheerfully, pulling away and throwing a ball of yarn at Juleka. Her eyes widened as she saw part of it unravel mid air, she reached out to grab it but winced as it bounced off her head. She turned and saw it roll down the street, 

 

Her tail lashed as she ran after it- trying her best to ignore the pink on her cheeks

 

...

 

”I bet if I used catnip I’d get high.” Juleka said flatly, Luka looked up from his desk

 

”Don’t you dare.” He deadpanned,

 

”I won’t!” She yelled “But I bet it would.”

 

”It probably would.”

 

”I should do a PSA Rap with Ladybug on drugs”

 

”I’ll write the lyrics”

 

”That’d be hilarious. I wanna edit it like the 90s”

 

”Absolutely yes.”

 

...

 

”Panthera?”

 

Juleka looked up from her spot, she was sitting on the ground as a hoard of cats laid around her, many sprawled over her legs or draped on her arms and shoulder.

 

She looked up at Ladybug and glared

 

”Not a word..” she said as a kitten nuzzled against her cheek.

 

 

Notes:

Just a nonsensical chapter.

Chapter 13: RogerCop

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

“Huh” Nathaniel said as the two walked near their seats, “I never expected to see you in white”

 

”Ughh” Juleka groaned, tugging at the white lace “Neither did I.. all of my favorite shirts are in the laundry today..”

 

”Please don’t tell me you’re gonna wear pink and pastel now!” Alix huffed, Juleka rose an eyebrow, glancing backwards to see Rose cheerfully talking to their peers. She shook her head.

 

”Nah, that’s her thing..” She mumbled “and trust me.. I am not enjoying this..”

 

”I’ll say, come on- class is starting” Alix said, looking at Nathaniel and Juleka. 

 

...

 

“You stole her bracelet!?”

 

”I thought it was cheese!”

 

You stole her bracelet?!?” She repeated, shaking the cat kwami in her hands

 

“It was harmless!”

 

Juleka pinched their space between her eyes, before glaring at him.

 

”Sabrina’s dad got fired because of you!” She shouted “Harmless my fucking ass!”

 

A large explosion interrupted her thoughts. She groaned.

 

”I don’t care if people don’t get it- I’m blaming you for this.” Juleka said “Plagg.. claws out”

 

...

 

Juleka wasn’t.. the closest to the police, mostly because her mother spent her time cussing them out at every chance she had. Maybe that’s why she and Sabrina never.. well.. got close.

 

Even as a super hero, it felt like the cops were always side glancing at her. Maybe her punk clothing, maybe not. It still sucked ass. 

 

“God I hate cops sometimes..” Juleka muttered as she bounced around the room, Rogercop sending a bright blast of scorching energy beside her.

 

This morning had been a.. well.. disaster is the easiest description. First, all her favorite clothes were still in the wash, so she had to wear white today, which she hadn’t worn in.. well.. forever.

 

Then her mom flaked on the parents thing because she heard there was a cop coming- because of course she couldn’t put down her burning hatred of cops for her child or anything, no of course her spite came first..

 

And finally, Chloe started this whole panic thing about some stupid lost bracelet that Plagg stole, And Sabrina’s dad was fired because of, Which Juleka still had in her possession and was keeping in her pocket- and-

 

And now she’s here. As Panthera. While Rogercop was in the middle of trying to kill them. With lasers.

 

God this can’t get any worse..

 

She tapped her foot impatiently on the ground as Ladybug scrambled around the room. Eventually they ended up behind a desk, Ladybug was clambering materials together.

 

”Anything yet? It feels like this room is getting smaller and smaller!” Juleka hissed

 

”I still need something like.. a ring!” Ladybug exclaimed. The two girls screamed as the mechanical Akuma smashed a fist through the table protecting them, wood splinters and shards scattering everywhere.

 

”What are you proposing?“ she purred, as they darted around the room

 

”Well I- hey.” Ladybug glared, Juleka laughed before digging through her pocket. She held up Chloe’s bracelet, seriously though it was really tacky.. Ladybug’s eyes widened

 

”This work for you, Partner?” She asked, ear twitching

 

”T-That’s.. That’s Chloe’s bracelet!”

 

Another blast from Rogercop caused them to shake, Juleka winced with pain Right.. and how do you know about that.. she wondered, before rolling her eyes.

 

”It sure is- now take it!” She said, shoving it into her hands. Ladybug stared at her for a moment, probably going to ask her how she got it, before they were jostled again, she got to work.

 

The fight ended within minutes, Juleka offhandedly suggested to just stuff the mittens with supplies and ‘go to town’ on Rogercop’s head, before before punched in the shoulder. Okay maybe Anarka’s influence was rubbing off on her..

 

At least they plan worked, Juleka smiled as the ladybugs washed over them.

 

”Ugh.. finally it’s over..” She said dryly, her eyes darted to Roger, before looking off. Her tail lashing in irritation. “Can I have Chloe’s bracelet back, partner? I need to return it.”

 

”Chloe’s bracelet? O-Oh right..“ Ladybug sheepishly held it out, and Juleka gingerly plucked it out of her hands.

 

”Thank you, I should’ve given it back when I had the chance, could’ve avoided this whole thing..” Juleka muttered. Roger looked up, his eyes widening

 

You took it?” He sputtered, before souring “I should’ve known a punk like-“

 

”I’m not a punk sir, I’m a superhero.” Juleka spat, her eyes thinning like needles. The bracelet shined in her hand. “And I didn’t take it on purpose. I got it by accident”

 

”How?”

 

The doors swung open and Chloe and her father charged in.

 

”Miss Bourgeois” She greeted, holding up the bracelet “I believe this is yours”

 

Chloe paused, her eyes widening as she took it from her hands “H-How did you..”

 

”A-Ah Panthera and I found it in the scuffle! You must’ve dropped it o-or somethin-“ Ladybug fumbled with her words, Juleka saw the anger in Chloe’s eyes grow- lies like that never work out in the end like this.. she thought, she put a hand over Ladybug’s mouth and chose her flattest voice-

 

”My fairy stole it.” Juleka deadpanned. The office went quiet, Ladybug’s eye twitched.

 

”Panthera..” She said evenly.

 

”Your.. Fairy?”

 

”I knew someone took it!” Chloe exclaimed, glaring at Roger, who had the decency to look at least confused or ashamed.

 

”I’m sorry- can we go back to the topic on apparent fairies here?!” The mayor sputtered.

 

Ladybug stared at Juleka with a ‘what the fuck are you doing?!’ Expression. Juleka’s ring beeped indignantly but she ignored it. She scratched the back of her neck.

 

”Ladybug ‘n I have contact with faeries, I noticed that your school has had quite a lot of akumatations, so I had one spying whenever he can, just in case I need to know that a potential Akuma is coming up” She lied, “However he’s.. a bit of a prankster- and thought it’d be funny to take your bracelet.”

 

Chloe’s face twisted into multiple tones for anger and confusion- before she finally sighed in defeat.

 

“Its fine.. thanks for returning it Panthera Noire..” Chloe mumbled shyly, kicking at the ground. Juleka turned to look at a Roger, as she looked back to the very.. sour moments she and with him in civilian form.

 

Lots of arrests her mom went through that he lead.. which caused lots of ‘Hey don’t you go to school with my daughter’- and ‘You better not corrupt her’ kind of deals. Not to mention the suspicion he held for Luka every time he went out..

 

Still- he was fired unjustly, and it’d be unfair for Sabrina for her dad to be unemployed.

 

”This was all a misunderstanding” Juleka said tiredly, trying to ignore the thousand yard stare Ladybug was giving her add that to the suspicions list..

 

 “I’d say Mr Raincomprix deserves his job back, even though I think it was quite.. foolish for him to just assume things, especially as an officer of the law.” She continued carefully, trying to avoid eye contact with him.

 

..Assume my brother’s a punk because of the way he dresses..assume he’s a bad kid on sight and that no- ‘it wasn’t the kid who clearly pushed the other kid down the stairs! It was the kid with dyed hair and ripped clothing who did it! And I’m so sure of my answer that I’m not gonna even check the countless witnesses I could check..’ cause that makes sense.. She paused wow I really hope this is an internal dialogue she looked around okay nope I’m good- where was I again?

 

Roger’s eyes widened slightly, looking quite sheepish. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that..”

 

”I see, I fired you wrongly Roger, I’m sorry” Andre said, helping the man to his feet “I guess we assumed the worst everything here.” The two nodded to each other respectfully

 

Chloe looked away, holding the bracelet tightly. Juleka rose an eyebrow before looking back at Ladybug. Their miraculouses beeped again, and they both flinched.

 

Juleka squeaked, and turned to leave but Ladybug grabbed her wrist and leaned close to her ear.

 

”Can we talk about this later.?” She asked. Juleka paused, looking at the night sky.

 

”Not sure how late you’re willing to go- recharge and I’ll meet you near the roof” Juleka whispered, before darting off.

 

...

 

About ten minutes later- Ladybug finally showed up. Juleka looked up and waved, the two sat in a tense silence before her partner spoke up.

 

”Why’d you tell them about the kwamis?!” Ladybug asked sourly

 

”Well why did you try to lie about Chloe’s bracelet?” She shot back. Ladybug deflated. The two stared at each other in awkward silence again. Juleka played with her hair nervously.

 

”I-“

 

”You-“

 

”No you start” Ladybug waved a hand, Juleka nodded.

 

”I think I’ve told you about my.. family.” She said carefully, Ladybug nodded “My mom is.. a- well- an anarchist is a very tame way to say it.” She scratched the back of her neck “Wild. Carefree. She’s made her reputation with cops known.”

 

”Is that why you don’t.. well.. you were very sour today.. about Rogercop.” Ladybug stated, Juleka shrugged

 

”So so.. I just don’t like how they judge me and my brother” She huffed “I personally don’t hate cops like my mom does.. I’m not really like her.. but.. I hate how they treat us because of her. They don’t listen to us because they just.. assume..” her fists clenched tightly around each other- she sighed.

 

“..I’m not defending Chloe.. Plagg said she made a big deal out of today- but I get why she was so upset that she was.. brushed off so easily.” Juleka murmured. She was definitely not defending Chloe. She hated Chloe- maybe a little less than she should, yes, but she still had a sour opinion on her.

 

Ladybug paused for a moment, before resting her head on Juleka’s shoulder.

 

”Is your answer too identity heavy?” She asked. Ladybug nodded, staying silent “Then I won’t press.. sorry I was a little.. harsh today.”

 

”It’s okay, this was a rough akuma” Ladybug reassured “Wanna go get some pastries from the Dupain-Cheng’s bakery?”

 

Juleka smiled “Absolutely Partner, let’s go”

 

They bounced off into the night.

 

 

Notes:

Short chapter, not much action, more Ladybug and Juleka bonding and understanding. This ending was sort of inspired by how Cornerverse handled Roger Cop in Lady Luck, mixed with Juleka’s experience with cops due to Anarka’s.. you know.. anarchy

There was a bit of foreshadowing to this from my try of origins with Roger looking Juleka up and down and calling her and Ladybug punks (I had this episode in mind when writing that very small bit)

Hope you enjoyed though, sorry this was short! Next episode should be.. more interesting...

ALSO I WROTE THAT JULEKA WAS WEARING WHITE IN THIS CHAPTER BECAUSE OF THE ANIMATION ERROR THAT CAUSED HER NORMAL OUTIFT TO BE WHITE IN THE BACKGROUND (y’all can go check and see it’s true)

Chapter 14: Picture Perfect

Summary:

Yes. This is here.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Juleka wasn’t the most.. ehh.. passionate student, not like others. However she still paid attention to things. After all- Luka had worked so hard to keep the two of them in school- she wasn’t going to let his efforts go to waste.

 

As said before, she paid attention to things. Like how a lot of things were pushed back due to akuma attacks. How teachers began to eye their students more suspiciously. How kids began to fear failure more and more each day.

 

She rubbed her eyes tiredly as her gaze trailed the class, fidgeting slightly with her ring. Nathaniel was dead asleep- which she found funny. Marinette was struggling with her notes. Alya was writing as- oh nope. Nope. She was writing fan fiction never mind.

 

Juleka sighed, she had lost track of her notes a long time ago. Her eyes moved to the girl next to her. 

 

“I have no idea what Miss Bustier’s talking about anymore, distract me?” She asked cheekily. Her best friend let out a soft giggle that made her heart do flips.

 

“Yeah? Well you wanna know something?” Rose grinned, her bright baby blue eyes shining wonderfully in the school lights. Juleka felt her cheeks heat up just at the sight of them. She nodded “Did you know picture day is in a few days? The class photo!” She said in a hushed whisper

 

Her eyebrows knit together irritably. Oh joy,. The goth smiled weakly at her,

 

”Is that so..” she murmured, the floor had become suddenly more interesting than the lesson.

 

Later, Juleka had just finished drinking a can of soda as she stared sourly at a photo she had just taken of her and Rose. It had just perfectly blurred to obscure her face. She remembered Rose’s optimistic ‘It’ll work next time!’ but she knew it wouldn’t work..

 

”Great..” she mumbled, she was about to throw the can away away before she heard two familiar voices. Alya and Marinette..

 

”Don’t worry Alya! You’ll take a good picture of her one day!” Marinette reassured. Ah. She knew what they were talking about.

 

”I’m telling you girl! It’s like she’s cursed or something!” Alya groaned in frustration.

 

Her eyes narrowed as she crushed the can in her hand, she looked at it for a moment- before throwing it hastily away in the trash can, surprised by her own strength, huh.

 

...

 

Picture day. Mother fucking picture day. God Juleka hated it.

 

She hated it even more now thanks to her newfound knowledge of magic. Great! Fun! Curses and jinxes actually exist! Hell- this fucking dumb picture thing might not even be a curse! Just bad fucking luck. The universe saying ‘fuck you specifically‘.

 

Perhaps her partner would be a good luck charm this year? She wondered. Juleka stared at the picture she had taken with Rose that day in disdain, glaring at the random ray of light that obscured her face in it. Guess not.

 

”Is this about that dumb picture thing again?” Plagg huffed as he chewed on a cub of cheese.

 

“You think?” She rose an eyebrow. The cat rolled his eyes, swirling around her head

 

”It’s not that big of a deal! You shouldn’t worry about that stuff, you should worry about more important things! Like cheese! And Ladybug! And Rose!” He sang, smirking at her flushed reaction at her best friend’s name. “Seriously though, it’s good that no one can take a damn picture of you, all the better to hide your identity!”

 

”It’s not about my identity Plagg..” Juleka murmured, gripping her desk “It’s about being seen, being remembered.”

 

The small god stared at her as she began to talk

 

”No one but my family has really seen me.. I mean it literally when I say I’m invisible to people- it’s taken years for people to even acknowledge my existence just because they forget I was there..” she hissed, eyes watering “If I disappeared tomorrow.. no one would notice.. no one would have proof I ever even existed- and memories don’t last forever..”

 

She sniffled a bit, hands trembling. She hated how easy it was to get so worked up about this topic.. ‘it was just a damn picture.!’ she told herself, but it still hurt. Maybe.. maybe it wasn’t about the picture.. ah, there’s the rub. It was just about her.. why am I so selfish..?

 

Plagg didn’t say anything, he just slowly flew towards her face and nuzzled her cheek, wiping a tear from her eye.

 

”No kitten,” he murmured, voice hollow “Memories last forever..”

 

Juleka looked at him quietly. Her didn’t have many facial features to go off of- but the emptiness in his eyes could speak volumes.

 

”Plagg, are you lonely?” She asked quietly. The cat god was silent. She couldn’t imagine how long he has lived. He was born from the concept of destruction, and that’s not a very new concept.. how tragic.

 

He flew into her hair instinctively as the door began to open before Luka came inside, holding his guitar close to his chest. Plagg peeked out from her locks.

 

“Hey Jules,” he smiled, plopping onto his bed “Haven’t seen you in a while, you okay?” he asked. They were careful about talking about her.. well.. super hero business. 

 

”Yeah I am.” She lied “Are you?” She asked.

 

Luka stared at her silently, it was one of his many poker faces. It was one of better ones, completely masking his emotions, however the fact that he was wearing it meant that he wasn’t okay.

 

Other than Rose- Luka was one of the people she would never want to fight as Panthera Noir. They were both at the top of her ‘don’t get akumatized list’.

 

“Luka,” Juleka pressed, voice growing sterner. He broke under the pressure as he plopped down on the bed. 

 

”Mom’s just doing something stupid again.. cursed out the police.. then decided it would be really funny to set a trash can on fire..” He groaned, rubbing the space between his eyes “I feel like I’m the parent on this boat..” Juleka nodded in understanding 

 

”You kinda are- I know she loves us and all but it feels like she doesn’t know the needs of children sometimes” Juleka chuckled, rubbing her thin arm carefully “Free spirited to the point of..”

 

”..Of forgetting her children sometimes?” Luka finished her sentence, his poker face falling and his tension starting to release.

 

Her brother was usually the most laid back and the most in control of his emotions person she knew, however she knew that she was the only person who had ever she seen him when he was irritated.

 

“I feel like we’ve got it better than some people, with us being given so much freedom- but it shouldn’t be us that has to bail her out of jail..” Luka murmured, his eyes twitching.

 

She wondered what it would be like if their dad had stayed. Hell- if they even had a dad. Singular form that is. They both knew that they didn’t look exactly like siblings. Too many off traits they couldn’t get from a singular dad. 

 

Perhaps it was good that he was gone then.. for the very short time he was when she was young.. it was the scariest years of her life- and that’s when Luka took over parenting her. That’s when he was forced to grow up. That’s when he stopped thinking for himself.

 

She winced, petting Plagg softly- as she mulled over what the tiny god and her brother had said, 

 

”Agreed” Juleka smiled softly, picking up her guitar. She watched as his eyes trailed her fingers as she struck a few chords. She wasn’t like him. She couldn’t read the hearts of others through music. She wasn’t that magical. But she knew her brother.

 

His eyebrow twitched as she struck another chord, his focus completely on the string of music she let out. A tired and melancholic tone, with the occasional wrong and upset pluck that breathed frustration..

 

They both weren’t good with their words. Juleka would mumble and go silent in a panic- while Luka would find himself fumbling with his words or get lost in his nonsensical metaphors. But music.. Music was a language just between them.

 

She couldn’t bring people’s emotions to light like he could- but Juleka knew her brother more than anyone else. As she finished playing, she felt her heart grow lighter at the smile on Luka’s face. He stood up and walked over to her

 

”Thank you Jules..” He said softly, ruffling her hair. Juleka nodded before feeling an alert on her phone. Akuma down near the park.

 

”Damn it..” She mumbled. Luka gave her a nervous look to which she smiled reassuringly to. “Shouldn’t be that bad? Wish me luck”

 

”Don’t get hurt.” Luka said sternly, eyebrows knitting together. Juleka cringed a bit before nodding. Plagg flew around her, finishing his cheese as she stood up.

 

”Plagg! Claws out!” She transformed in a quick flash of light as she stretched slightly. Juleka looked up at Luka, her eyes widening a bit. “Huh, I gained a few inches when I transformed.” She said flatly.

 

Luka stared at Her for a moment before chuckling, his eyes soft

 

“Hah- Even behind a mask.. you’re still my little sister” He smiled “Now go get ‘em Panthera” Juleka’s ears perked up- she gave him a quick hug before climbing out of the porthole and darting off.

 

...

 

Juleka had decided to take her hand mirror today. It was a special trinket to her- Luka had bought it for her on her thirteenth birthday- and while it was fashionable- she didn’t wear it everyday in fear that it would break.

 

However, it brought her comfort in annoying situations like this..

 

She eyed her classmates as they mingled by the steps, Adrien’s photographer had apparently come to do class photos this year. She had been able to tell because it was the same guy who screamed at her in spaghetti metaphors when he couldn’t get a clear photo of her during one of her battles as Panthera,

 

The goth sulked as she looked around. Luckily, Rose’s presence soothed her anger. The blonde looked up at her worriedly, she was one of the only people who knew about her curse.. she knew how she felt around this time of year..

 

”You thinking about it again?” She asked. Juleka nodded quietly, looking down at the sparkling panjas bracelet before looking back at her.

 

”..Maybe I’m really just unlucky Rose” The goth murmured, as she hid under the bangs. The blonde shook her head, holding her hand tightly

 

”No way! We just haven’t hit the right photo yet! It’s gonna work Juleka! I promise!” Rose exclaimed, her eyes shining with enthusiasm. As much as she wanted to retort, she couldn’t find it in her heart to.

 

Rose’s smile seemed to melt the world around her, but her big blue eyes seemed to ask questions. She gave a weak shrug and looked off- listening in on the conversations around her- specifically the one right under her.

 

”I'm gonna be in a photo with Adrien! I'm gonna be in a photo with Adrien!” Marinette squealed. Alya rolled her eyes playfully as she leaned over to her best friend

 

“Right, 'cause uh- it's a class photo and you're in the same class as Adrien.” She said, the fashion designer nodded excitedly

 

“Amazing, isn't it? OH MY GOSH! What if we're standing in the same row together?” Marinette said, her eyes widening. Juleka couldn’t help but roll her eyes a bit.

 

God- is that what being love sick looks like? At least Ladybug was a bit more professional about her crush on the model.. Actually she wasn’t. But Juleka was trying to ignore the possibility of her classmate being her partner in heroism..

 

The reporter chuckled, giving an encouraging smile “Oh girl, just smile and whatever happens, don't forget to breathe!“ 

 

The goth’s eyes narrowed as she looked off. Wow lucky them.. aren’t they just so... lucky.. ugh I can’t find a better word..and- ugh- god damn it she was getting sarcastic again. Her grip on her ring tightened-

 

“At least you're going to be in the photo.” Juleka snarked, bringing the two girl’s attention. Rose shook her head

 

“No, Juleka, I'm telling you, you're not jinxed! This time it's gonna work out, I can feel it, right here!” She exclaimed. Juleka’s eyes widened a bit as Rose leaned against her, pressing her hands over her heart as one of her signature love struck looks filled her face,

 

Damn it why is she so irresistibly cute.. Juleka wondered, as a small smile tugged at her lips. Marinette looked up curiously, her eyes flashing with curiosity, 

 

”What's this about being jinxed?“ She asked. The goth frowned again, her eyebrows knitting together. I swear to god if it’s.. well might as well tell her if it really is her, I’ll have to see how she reacts first.. She looked at Rose who gave a reassuringly smile, she sighed-

 

”Ever since I was little, every time someone takes a photo of me, something always goes very wrong.” She explained, taking out her phone to show her collection of failures.

 

Like some- were just unfortunate- but a pigeon? A fucking pigeon? WHY THE FUCK DID A PIGEON SHOW-

 

Juleka breathed heavily through gritted teeth as she rubbed the space between her eyes. That memory is gonna stick with me forever.. she thought bitterly.

 

Marinette’s eyes widened slightly at the pictures, as did Alya. There was a look of recognition of the reporter’s face, and for a moment, she worried that they’d put together the familiar photo cure that came with Panthera Noire- luckily, the two just gave the phone back and exchanged sad looks.

 

Relief and almost disappoint flooded through her, maybe Marinette really isn’t.. she thought- but as she’s as busy with her own thoughts, she missed the shock and gears turning on Marinette’s face as the fashion designer silently thought about the jinx..

 

”You're wrong Juleka, you'll see!” Rose said determinedly. Juleka smiled softly at her, leaning into the short blonde’s touch as the two stood together. She prayed her friend wouldn’t feel the pounding in her chest..

 

“For sure! We'll do everything we can to make sure it goes right this time.” Marinette said determinedly, her eyes burning with a very familiar justice filled passion, “Don't forget to smile!”

 

Juleka felt a grin tug at her cheeks, as Vincent called the class over.

 

“Ok, time to flash your pearly whites, guys! You kids take a seat in the front bench.” He said, pointing to Rose, Marinette, Max, Alix, and Mylene “Quickly please, I've got sixteen other classes to shoot!”

 

”Pfft, look Sabrina! I didn’t know we had gremlins in our class!” Chloe scoffed, her gaze mostly directed to Alix, who caught the blonde’s eye and stuck her tongue at her, to which she returned. Juleka rolled her eyes.

 

Slowly, she found her classmates pulled in one by one, leaving her alone on the steps. Juleka’s eyes narrowed, clutching her arms tightly. She’d be angrier if she didn’t feel so.. disappointed, as the rest of her class sat perfectly in place, without her. Vincent’s eyes had just.. so easily passed over her.

 

Plagg peaked out from her pocket

 

”Why aren’t you over there?” He asked, ear twitching “Don’t you want to be in the stupid photo?”

 

”He didn’t call me over” She mumbled, Plagg’s eyes narrowed,

 

“I can go bite his ass”

 

She snorted softly ”Please don’t.”

 

There was loud clambering from the seats, Chloe of course, but she paid no mind, she sighed. Juleka looked down at her hand mirror, flicking it open to look at herself. She messed with her bangs slightly before hearing a voice interrupt her ever spiraling thoughts.

 

”Uh, excuse me sir, you forgot Juleka.”

 

She lifted her head, surprised. Marinette was pointing at her, smiling nervously.. but brightly. She’s.. helping me..?

 

“Huh? Ah sorry, my bad! Go stand in the middle row, next to that blonde haired boy.” Vincent instructed, his arms on her shoulders as he pointed back to the ground, she stared dumbstruck. He.. noticed me?

 

Rose was grinning at her, face glowing with pride and excitement. She felt her heart grow three sizes, as she scrambled over, Plagg gave her a reassuring smile, before hiding back in her jacket.

 

She took her spot next to Adrien, and he smiled assuringly. She couldn’t stop the almost excited shaking in her hands. She was right next to a famous model.. haha.. that’s fine. Stay fucking calm-

 

Marinette leaned towards her, blue eyes sparkling “And you're gonna be right in the center! All eyes will be on you! No more jinxed class photos!”

 

Juleka felt a grin stretch across her cheeks, this.. was this it? Was this the day?

 

”No, this isn't right! Something's not working here!“ Vincent exclaimed, Juleka shrank but saw that his eyes were darting towards Ivan. Chloe scoffed

 

Uhh, course it's not working! I'm in the wrong spot!” The heiress huffed, crossing her arms. Juleka grimaced, but pushed down her frustration one of these days I’m seriously going to leave her to an akuma 

 

“You, move over there will you? Lets see..” The photography said, pointing in different directions as Ivan was shuffled about. Discomfort reading all across his face. Please don’t akumatize him.. if I have to deal with Stoneheart again I will actually scream.

 

“Excuse me, but do we have a problem?“ Mr Damacoles said carefully, his voice edging with concern and slight impatience. Vincent sighed and shook his head irritably.

 

“It doesn't matter where I put him, it throws the whole picture out of whack!” He exclaimed, Ivan deflated a little. Poor guy.

 

My spot is unacceptable! I seriously don’t show up at all here!” Chloe squawked, hopping down the row- and beginning to try and shove her way into her spot. Juleka growled, shoving back. Maybe a little.. too hard- which honestly was amusing.

 

Have I gotten stronger.? She wondered absentmindedly, before glaring again. Chloe stumbled backwards, almost tripping against Adrien, before standing up straight, her arms crossed

 

”Hey!”

 

“That's right Juleka, don't let her push you out of the way!” Marinette said, before earning a glare from Chloe.

 

“Ms. Bourgeois, behave yourself!” Miss Bustier scolded. Chloe soured before looking down at Marinette

 

“Hey! Nobody asked you loudmouth!” She shouted, Juleka grimaced, she could feel her classmate’s eyes on her, but she didn’t care. All she felt was frustration.


Adrien snorted, looking at Chloe amusedly “This isn't gym class, you know Chlo!” He said, before the class was shuffled again, she sulked slightly, seeing Rose so far from her now. Vincent grinned, backing back to the camera.

 

”There!” He said, almost exasperated “Perfect!”

 

Her chest tightened, years of ‘this year this year’ crashed on her shoulders, as a burning hope burst through her chest.

 

“Uh, no! It isn't! It's not perfect at all! I'm being blocked by my classmates!” Chloe protested. Juleka glared, Isn’t always about you Chloe.. she thought sourly

 

“Please Chloé, we still have sixteen classes to photograph!” Mr Damacoles said, sighing, he looked up “Go ahead Vincent.“

 

Vincent nodded, his eye leaning close to the camera, “Say spaghetti!”

 

“Spaghetti!”

 

Juleka’s heart swelled as she smiled for the camera

 

This year. This year. I won’t be invisible anymore.. this year.. please. 

 

Then everything crashed again as Vincent groaned in irritation, glaring at his camera. 

 

“Oh, I don't believe this!“ He huffed, her smile dropped, as did her stomach “I'm sorry, I have to go and fetch another battery. Nobody move!”

 

Her heart sank. If Luka was around, he’d make some musical metaphor on how she sounded like a dying guitar or some shit. He’d say she felt heart broken. Guilty. Disgusted. And he wouldn’t be wrong.

 

She was hurting. Why can’t I just suck it up.. it’s just a fucking class photo.! You’ve dealt with stronger dumbass..!

 

Rose met her gaze, she winced- her chest felt like it was sucking in on itself. Her place was suffocating.

 

”Can I go to the bathroom please..” She asked quickly to Miss Bustier, I need to get out of here.. leave,, gotta leave.. this is too much..

 

Yes Juleka, but hurry!” Miss Bustier urged

 

”Miss Bustier, he said we are not to move!” The principal scolded angrily,

 

Bustier glanced at Juleka briefly, seeing the distress on her expression- ”It’s an emergency sir.”

 

Damacoles huffed, before looking away. Juleka looked away from Marinette and Rose’s eyes and scampered away. Plagg flew out of her hair

 

”Hey why’d you run away?”

 

She skidded inside the background, closing the stall behind her as she sat down on the toilet. She didn’t need to actually pee, she just need space. Quiet. Isolation.

 

Juleka started up at the cat god through her hair, sighing weakly.

 

”I can’t.. I’m really cursed..”

 

”It was working out well!” Plagg said, raising an eyebrow

 

”No it wasn’t, first I was forgotten, then I was pushed around, then the camera died- Plagg, if I stayed, it probably would’ve gone on forever..” She cried, her shoulders shaking “The universe just wants to erase me..”

 

Plagg’s eyes narrowed “Now that’s just stupid Kitten, camera shutter hadn’t even gone off yet, it was just a battery and Chloe’s brattiness. Red herrings. You’ll be fine.”

 

Then- as the tears rolled down her face- a scraping sound filled her thoughts. She looked up confusedly, and she heard a terrible thump against the door.

 

Oh that’s not good.

 

Juleka grabbed into the door handle, jiggling it to the best she could- before finding it jammed. She looked under the door and saw the shadow of a pair of shoes. 

 

Her eyes narrowed with rage as she heard the faint giggling of a certain little ginger shit.. Rotten little.. if this was two years ago, she’d cry and whimper- but now- she was just angry.

 

“Let me out!” Juleka yelled, banging her hands on the door. The goth heard Sabrina squeak with surprise and terror.

 

As she slammed her first against the blockade, she soon found her claws beginning to dig into the door- scraping downwards. Like nails to a chalkboard, the scratching echoed through the room. Her shoulders fell as she heard Sabrina scramble out of the bathrooms. Leaving her trapped.

 

“Sabrina!” She shouted, but was only met with the door closing. She crumpled against the locked door, her shoulders trembling. For a few more agonizing minutes, she cried- before wiping away her brooding tears and trembling to her feet.

 

Damn it.. this is not sitting well after RogerCop.. Chloe must’ve done this.. of course she did.! Why did I ever.. Juleka stepped back from the door as Plagg flew out of her hair.

 

”Can you open the door Plagg?” Juleka asked, his face twisted.

 

”Ehh my control over my powers isn’t.. safe.. I’d probably take the door and floor down with it..” He hissed, before smiling mischievously “Though.. you’ve gotten stronger on your own too.”

 

Her eyes widened as she stared at the door. He was right.. she had left an indent in it, along with claw marks. She thought about the soda can she had crushed effortlessly a few days ago. She looked down at her hands.

 

Juleka bit her lip as she thought of what she could do.

 

She looked around at the walls as she slowed her breathing, this space had once been a short lived area of peace, now it was suffocating, and she wanted out. Juleka nodded assuringly to herself. She could do this. Totally. Yes. Super. Absolutely.

 

”If this doesn’t work.. do not laugh” She commanded, Plagg rose an eyebrow, before she backed up against the door-

 

Juleka sprung forward onto the toilet, she jumped up onto it before kicking off the wall, her hands grabbed the top of the door- her feet catching against it- letting her hang momentarily before she began to pull herself up and over.

 

Juleka wheezed in pain as she pulled herself halfway up, her arms aching as her torso dug into the edge. No doubt creating bruises. She looked down- seeing the chair that blocked the door handle. Her eyes narrowed- before she dropped down onto the ground.

 

She was out. Holy shit I did it. Juleka shook her head- no time to celebrate. This has Chloe written all over it.. and I’m going to rip that bitch apart.. she thought. Juleka grabbed the chair and lifted it over her shoulder.

 

She stomped through the halls before she eventually opened up the door to the outside. Of course Chloe stole her spot.. of course of course of course.

 

The class was clambering around the cameraman, Rose was shouting something, Marinette was covering her eye and making hand motions, and Damacoles was stammering out against Chloe. Vincent looked sheepish while the others were making confused and sheepish expressions. 

 

Juleka threw the chair on the ground, two of its legs shattering off, and made her way over. There were no words for how angry she was.

 

”Damn it Chloe!” She yelled, if the loud cracking sound of the chair didn’t make them notice, her voice did. Rose’s face twisted with worry- before the class’s heads swiveled around to see her. Rose seemed to light up.

 

”Juleka!” Rose exclaimed with glee. Her rage was dowsed slightly, before returning as she saw the frightened and angry expression on Chloe’s face.

 

”H-How did you..” The heiress sputtered, before glaring at her ginger follower “Sabrina I told you to deal with her!” She hissed through her teeth

 

”I-I- How did you even get out?! The stalls are twice your height?!” Sabrina shrieked, more focused on the chair, Juleka snarled at her, eyes piercing into the weak girl’s soul. She squeaked, covering her face shyly.

 

”What did you do Chloe?!” Marinette exclaimed- The glared at each other, Miss Bustier looked over worriedly

 

”Juleka? What happened?”

 

“Those two locked me in the bathroom. I climbed out.” She said, surprising herself with the iciness in her voice, as she stepped in front of the heiress. Chloe shrunk back a bit, as Juleka stared down at her from her full height.

 

”W-Well you already missed the class photo!” Chloe said, turning to Damacoles “Aren't we meant to be heading off to lunch? And aren't you paying the photographer by the hour?“

 

The principal stiffened up “Why yes! No time to retake, class move along, now!”

 

“What?!” Rose exploded, her face twisting was disbelief. Her fierce determination and anger was terrifying. Juleka had never seen the blonde so.. unhappy. Well actually she has. But that was two years ago and- well- okay correction she had never seen Rose so... Pissed. That’s better.

 

She’s mad.. for me? 

 

Rose shook her head, his fists clenched tightly as she stared down the principal “Juleka wasn’t in the photo! She’s part of the class she needs to be in the photo!”

 

”U-Uhh Miss Lavillant.. please.. you must understand that the school is only paying—“

 

”Oh- so the money is more important?” Rose said sourly, making a face that Juleka had never expected to ever see on her. Just.. hurt and disgust. She stepped back a little, watching as the scene unfurled- fading into the background.

 

”Rose is right, Mr Damacoles! We can’t just exclude Juleka in the photo!” Marinette exclaimed, Alix looked sourly at Chloe- who seemed to shrink under the skater’s gaze. Adrien meanwhile, looked hurt

 

”Was that really necessary Chloe?” Adrien asked, Chloe looked away, having the decency to look ashamed for at least a few seconds, before glaring at the others

 

”It’s not my fault that Miss Bustier and Mr Damacoles didn’t notice she was gone!” She said snobbishly

 

”So you’re pushing the blame on them now?” Marinette rose an eyebrow. “You and Sabrina were the ones who apparently locked Juleka in the bathroom! Just because you wanted her spot!” Rose was fuming, her eyes brimming red with tears- I caused this I caused this I caused this I caused—

 

“Like you’re one to talk Marinette.!” Sabrina said, crossing her arms “Don’t act like you didn’t grab the camera’s memory card during this entire argument!”

 

The fashion designer paled, and the class looked at her. She shamefully held up the card in her hand

 

”You stole it?!” Vincent exclaimed, looking at Marinette as if she killed a puppy.

 

”It wasn’t fair for Juleka that she was left out!” Marinette argued, before handing a Vincent the chip.

 

”..You stole for it me?” Juleka murmured, Marinette looked up at Juleka slightly, the fashion designer smiled shyly. The goth stared at her, the group’s eyes on her for a moment. She hid under her bangs.

 

There was no bombastic explosion of realization. No gasp and face palm as she screamed it all made sense. Just a single and final click to a simple puzzle. Marinette stealing the chip didn’t even seem anything Ladybug related, but it did to Juleka.

 

Because Marinette went out of her way to be a hero for her. Just like Ladybug did. Juleka always assumed, she always had the feeling, and the quiet investigations and tests she did only solidified this more. She knew who the red heroine was now, and maybe a few puzzle pieces were missing that could turn everything around, but the big picture was there.

 

”Thanks.. partner.” She said softly, not catching the wide eyed expression of confusion that flickered across Marinette’s face. The photographer stared at the memory card, meeting Juleka’s eyes. He sighed, his shoulders crumpling together slightly 

 

”We could just retake it—“ Vincent started, exasperated as he rubbed the space between his eyes.

 

”No way! That photo was perfect!” Chloe scoffed

 

”No it’s wasn’t! You only think it was perfect because you got what you wanted! You’re a bully Chloe!” Rose shouted, Juleka’s hands trembled, looking down at her mirror. Her grief stricken face stared back—

 

“Guys-“ she started, but was left ignored, as her class and teachers argued. Juleka’s stomach twisted as she watched in her own personal bubble of nothingness This is my fault.. “Damn it.. damn it.. god why do I ruin everything..”

 

”Stupid stupid.. ugh this is so irritating.!” Vincent shouted, clutching his head “Please.! I’m just one guy! I did my job stop bloody complaining it’s not my problem— all of these people just need to chill out.!”

 

The group ignored the shaking photographer, except Juleka. Not until it was too late. And she had already missed the butterfly entering his camera. The goth looked up, seeing the twisting expression on his face. The rage. The frustration. The desperatation. Oh no.

 

“Hehe.. Yes Hawkmoth.” His voice echoed, before a bubble of darkness bubbled over him- Juleka gasped

 

Akuma!” She yelled, her voice echoing across the class. The group screamed, stumbling backwards in fright- some tripping over each other to stay away from the transforming man.

 

Dressed in an almost Tron esc suit with glowing lines going up his chest and arms- Vincent held his large bulking camera, that had now transformed into cannon and aimed it towards the group.

 

Monsieur Vincent please calm down—“ Mr Damacoles sputtered, Vincent snarled

 

”Nonsense, I am perfectly calm! And I’m no longer Vincent.. I’m Picture Perfect!” The akuma yelled, “Now freeze!”

 

The class screamed in horror as Vincent released his camera shutter onto the principal, from the camera- a wave of ice shot up from the ground, swallowing Mr Damacoles whole, freezing him in an ice block.

 

”FUCKING RUN FOR IT DIPSHITS!” Alix screamed- before screaming as she was frozen as well.

 

Vincent cackled, his camera canon blasting wildly, occasionally he would change his camera settings and some civilians would be either blasted by a shock wave, or another blast of ice

 

Juleka grabbed Rose by the wrist and pulled her out of the way, sweat rolling down her cheeks as she shoved her inside the building,

 

”Jules!” Rose cried, Juleka winced, looking around frantically Where is Marinette? She wondered, before shaking her head

 

”Trust me—“ She said, before darting back to grab a trembling Mylene. Her hair whipped around her as the words you aren’t a hero echoed inside her head.

 

“Perfection!” Vincent cheered, twirling around the courtyard of statues, multiple students hiding fearfully behind their frozen classmates, doing their best not to derive his attention “The true faces of horror! Magnifico! Stupendo!”

 

“Sure! Take a picture— it’ll last longer asshat!” Chloe sneered cold heartedly, unfortunately Picture Perfect noticed. She screamed in fear as he aimed his camera at her, the butterfly visor glowing in front of his face menacingly

 

”I’m tired of hearing you yapping all the damn time!” Picture Perfect yelled before wincing “Yes yes whatever Hawkmoth, I’ll get your stupid jewelry! My part of the deal first! Dealing with these brats!”

 

The camera let out a loud click, as a wave of force slammed into Chloe’s torso, she screamed in pain as Juleka watched in horror. Her blood ran cold as she saw Chloe get thrown across the ground. Skidding against the cement. She swore she saw blood.

 

Juleka ran forward, she could hear screams but she wasn’t sure who it was from. She ignored it—

 

She scooped Chloe into her arms, she was a lot heavier without her superpowers, so she only made a few feet forward before lunging forward and rolling across the pavement- just in time for a shutter to go off in their direction.

 

Her arms stung with pain as she looked up- to see the patch of ice where Chloe once was laying that curved upwards, if it didn’t freeze them- it would’ve impaled them.

 

Juleka winced as she sprung back to her feet, her hands gripping tightly around the heiress. 

 

”C-Couffaine.?! What the hell are you-” Chloe exclaimed, looking up at her with wide and offended eyes. Juleka had no time for this.

 

Damn it just run Chloe!” She snarled. The blonde froze for moment, before wiggling out of the goth’s arms and bolting away, for a moment- Juleka swore she saw regret on her face.

 

She heard a loud clicking sound. she leapt out of the way, as another camera shudder unleashed another ray of ice across the ground. Juleka turned back and saw what was once Vincent cackle.

 

”Say Spaghetti.. little girl..” He said menacingly, which was a feat on its own— as he held up his canon towards his eye, aiming on her.

 

Not the last thing I ever want to say but it seems like I don’t have a choice here she thought, holding up her hands defensively. But before the terrifying shutter of the camera could reach her ears- a force slammed into ear side— sending her flying against the pavement.

 

She rolled across the ground, along with another smaller body, she opened her eyes weakly, wincing in pain at the aching in her ribs and the scrapes on her arms. Luckily— it seemed like a familiar face finally decided to show up.

 

”Ladybug! Glad you could make it!” Juleka said cheerfully, before realizing their position. Ladybug was directly on top of her, arms at the side of her head, and their legs were tangled. Her eyes narrowed why does the universe ship us? That’s so not cool..

 

Ladybug quickly jumped to her feet, her cheeks a light pink

 

”Juleka are you okay!?” She exclaimed, Juleka nodded carefully, her eyes trailing the akuma approaching

 

”M’fine, you should probably deal with that guy though.” She said flatly, pointing at Picture Perfect. Ladybug swerved around and blocked an ice blast with her yo-yo.

 

”Ah! Good call! Please get safe!” Ladybug said, Juleka shrugged, wincing at the scrapes on her knees, before wobbling away behind a door. But she wouldn’t be hiding and cowering. It was time for Panthera to finish what she started—

 

“Plagg?” She called, the kwami swerved out of her pocket, she smiled “You okay? We got a little man handled there..”

 

”No kidding! I’m dizzy!” Plagg complained

 

“Life is just so unfair isn’t it..” Juleka groaned, brushing the hair out of her face ”Well anyways— you’re about to get dizzier, Plagg! Claws out!” 

 

...

 

When she snuck out of the building, it seemed like the fight had been carried out to the park. Juleka stood, perched above a fence as she watched her partner and the photographer duke it out.

 

Her eyes narrowed slightly, her tail lashing— focus Panthera she told herself, before dashing through the park. Slinking behind Vincent, she pounced on top of him.

 

He roared with rage, throwing her against Ladybug, causing them to roll on the across again

 

”Ugh..” Juleka groaned, before groaning louder as she found herself on top of Ladybug again “God damnit I hate it when this happens.” She mumbled, she swore she could hear fan girls screaming on the forums..

 

They scrambled to their feet, before dodging another pillar of ice.

 

”Hey Partner, any ideas at this point?” She yelled, over the multiple sounds of camera flashing-

 

”I can’t get close to him!” Ladybug exclaimed, “Which sounds like bullshit cause I’m the one with the yoyo- But he keeps hitting it back!”

 

Juleka flipped off a tree, before slipping on a patch of ice, she hissed in pain

 

”This ice is getting annoying.!” She huffed, brushing the hair out of her face annoyedly 

 

”This fight is getting annoying!” Vincent shouted, “How about you stand still for once you brats!”

 

Partner!” She urged, tail lashing impatiently

 

”Lucky charm!” Ladybug shouted, a small camera memory card fell in her hands “Tikki is just scolding me now.”

 

”Wonder why..” Juleka mumbled, her ear twitching with irritation. Wonder wHY MARINETTE?? GOD IT’S SO OBVIOUS NOW

 

The two heroes ran around the park, minutes were ticking down and Ladybug was panicking more and more with each passing beep, but no matter how she’d they tried, they couldn’t get close enough to his camera—

 

They were at minute three for Ladybug, when Vincent sent another shock wave towards them, knocking Juleka off her feet, sending her colliding into the ground.

 

Ladybug, meanwhile, had scrambled away just in time to see the photographer stalking towards her cackling

 

“Panthera!” Ladybug exclaimed.

 

”Times up, gatto nero..” Vincent growled, holding up his camera towards his eye.

 

”Hold on!” Juleka interrupted, holding up a hand- standing achingly on the ground, the akuma rose an eyebrow- what am I doing what am I doing she bit down her fear “How about I model for you?”

 

”W-What!?” The akuma and Hero exclaimed at the same time. Juleka shot a wink at Ladybug before smiling. She brushed a hand through her hair seductively and planted her hand on her hip, trying to look as confident as possible.

 

”I’ve heard that you’ve been trying to get a clear photo of moi” She purred, watching as Ladybug slowly backed away from the fight to recharge “Well, I’ve always wanted to be a model.. so how about we put this fight on a lunch break, you can shoot your shot right now”

 

Ladybug paused for a moment at the mention of her career confession, before scrambling away when Juleka shot her a quick glare. There was a brief moment of fear and anticipation that passed as Picture Perfect stared at her- before Hawkmoth’s visor glowed in front of his face.

 

”The miraculous will be yours soon enough Hawkmoth! I’m not loosing this opportunity!” Vincent yelled, he whipped out his camera and aimed it at her, a camera shutter went off and Juleka flinched- before realizing that he actually just took a photo. He stared at it before groaning “No no no it came out blurry again! I will not accept this! Again! Again!”

 

Within seconds, Juleka was dragged from the dirt towards the fountain- she wasn’t sure what happened in between, but what she could put together was that Vincent was really passionate about getting her picture for some reason..

 

She found herself being model corrected by the akuma.. and also Hawkmoth for some reason? Like the guy kept interrupting the photographer and the akuma would just yell out ‘Ah yes! Genius! That would be excellent.. if this damn photo came out right!’

 

Where the hell was Ladybug??

 

“This time gimme a big smile! Show your fangs! Not like that— perfect! You’re a ferocious tiger! Now you’re hunting prey! No now the prey is bigger than you! You’re scared.. now you’re angry! Fierce! Magnifico— Damn it these damn photos keep getting blurry!”

 

Was this what Adrien had to deal with all the time? She wondered

 

Juleka felt her muscles tense with every shutter, but she was.. actually kind of enjoying herself?



Like.. This was the most enthusiastic and positive akuma honestly- minus the whole.. freezing her classmates thing earlier.. she was actually.. modeling. She was getting tips for modeling from an actual super villain. Maybe two counting Hawkmoth, who was apparently having a good time too??

 

Her shoulders still sagged though with every failed photo.. which was.. every photo. Her ears flattened Damn it I’m so cursed even a literal photo akuma can’t fix it.. what a fucking-

 

”There! Perfect!”

 

-Wait What.

 

Picture Perfect held up his camera, Juleka’s eyes widened at the clear photo of herself.

 

She was staring off, her emerald eyes shining in the sun. The water reflected against her cheeks, and her fangs were sparkling. Her hair drifted off her shoulder, almost touching the fountain as she sat, with her leg propped up.

 

She.. she looked like a model. She really did. Juleka couldn’t help the grin that grew across her face.

 

It.. her curse..

 

Her curse was actually broken. 

 

“Holy shit.” She said, as her heart began to beat exponentially.

 

Holy shit. Holy fucking shit.. I can take photos now. I CAN TAKE PHOTOS NOW! A grin spread across her cheeks as a blissful giddiness spread through her.

 

She wiped a tear from her eye and looked at the akuma ”Let’s take more!”

 

“FUCK YEAH!” Vincent shouted, pumping a fist in the air

 

”Sorry- but fuck no” Ladybug said, appearing next to them.

 

”Huh?”

 

Ladybug was suddenly holding the camera in her hands and she threw it at the ground- Juleka internally cringed as she watched it shatter to pieces, and she could feel Vincent’s heart briefly shatter-

 

The butterfly fluttered out of the camera weakly, before being swiped out of the air.

 

”Sorry Panthera..” Ladybug said, Juleka shrugged sadly, ears twitching

 

”It’s alright Partner, I got what I wanted” She said cheerfully, “Lucky charm?”

 

”Lucky charm.” Ladybug nodded, the object dropping into her hands with a flash of light, a small photo of Panthera. “Aw cute”

 

”Aw thank you Partner” Juleka purred, Ladybug smiled before throwing it up in the air

 

”Miraculous Ladybug!” She shouted. The magical ladybugs washed over them, leaving Juleka’s heart warm and whole feeling. Vincent stood up achingly

 

”What happened?” He asked. Juleka took the camera from Ladybug’s hands and handed it over.

 

”Nothing we couldn’t fix” Juleka said confidently “Thank you for the modeling tips by the way.”

 

”Modeling tips? Panthera Noire modeled for me.. and I missed it?!” He exclaimed,

 

Ladybug and Juleka giggled, before hearing Ladybug’s miraculous beep. Shit.. the school..

 

“We’ve gotta go, I’m pretty sure you’ve got sixteen other classes to shoot for picture day?” Ladybug asked, so subtle.. Vincent blinked with surprise.

 

A-Ah.. I do.. Damacoles probably won’t let me retake it though.. that poor girl..” He said sadly. Ladybug and Juleka winced slightly, knowing he was referring to her. The cat hero’s tail lashed with irritation as she thought back to Rose..

 

She was so angry.. for me.. her cheeks darkened slightly and her heart ached I., I didn’t know she cared about me so much..

 

”It’s okay, I’m sure those kids will be able to figure something out!” Ladybug said determinedly, “I’ve gotta go! Bug out!” she yelled, before shooting off.

 

Juleka sighed, before grabbing Vincent by the waist

 

”Come on.. I’ll give you a lift..“ she said, before dragging him back to the school


...

 

Juleka groaned tiredly against the wall, rubbing her eyes. Vincent was right.. they weren’t able to retake the photo, much to the class, Vincent, and especially Rose’s complaint.

 

It was nice that they were standing up for her.. but the voice inside her head told her it was actually to just be mean to Chloe really.. Chloe.. why the hell did I save her?

 

She sighed, it didn’t matter anymore. Her curse was broken.

 

Her curse was broken.

 

Juleka smiled, a warmth spreading up her cheeks. Plagg nuzzled against her cheek

 

”I’m happy for you kitten” He said, she smiled softly, then scratched behind his ear- he let out a soft purr.

 

”Thanks Plagg..” She whispered, “You were a big help today..”

 

Plagg’s eyes softened ”No sweat it, and remember.. there’s people who care about you, yknow, photos or not, they love you. You got that kitten?”

 

She nodded, before hearing the sounds of running footsteps. 

 

”Ju-le-ka!” Rose hollered, Plagg disappeared inside her pocket as the short blonde ran over “I was wondering where you were! You saved Chloe but then you got hit by the akuma but then you got saved by Ladybug! Are you you okay? She was o-on top of you was that weird? I-I mean I’m not saying her saving you is weird but- never mind-“ she babbled before pausing, her cheeks a soft pink

 

Rose shook her head briefly before continuing ”You disappeared! Me and Mylene were trying to find you during the attack where were you? Were you safe? Did you got hit again? Oh my Juleka please don’t tell me you got-“

 

”Rose I’m okay shh shh I’m okay..” Juleka said softly, holding onto Rose’s shoulders. The blonde stared up at her, wide baby blue eyes shining slightly with tears “Are you okay?”

 

Rose sniffled slightly “Mr Damacoles..” she mumbled

 

”I heard..” Juleka sighed, shoulders sagging “Its okay, maybe next year..”

 

The two stood in silence for a moment before Rose smiled

 

”Can you come with me? I have a surprise for you” She said carefully. Juleka rose an eyebrow, hoping the dark blush edging across her face wasn’t visible.

 

”A surprise?”

 

Rose nodded, her soft fingers intertwining with Juleka’s, she felt heart elevate as Rose led her to the park. She tried to focus on the back of Rose’s head because she knew if she looked down at their hands, she’d surely faint.

 

”We’re here!” Rose announced happily. Juleka’s eyes widened as she saw her classmates hanging around by a bench, Vincent was taking photos of them all, many laughing at the camera- before they turned and saw her.

 

”Juleka you’re here!” Marinette exclaimed cheerfully, waving.

 

”Hey Juleka!”

 

”Come on over!”

 

Rose have an encouraging look before they walked over

 

”What’s going on?” Juleka asked, Marinette beamed

 

”Well.. Mr Damacoles said we couldn’t redo our photos, but Mr.. uhh..” She motioned towards Vincent who smiled

 

”Vincent” He said, Marinette nodded happily

 

”Mr Vincent offered to redo them anyways! We’re doing it right this time!” Marinette said, Juleka’s heart swelled- before looking around. Kim.. Nino.. Ivan.. Alix.. Mylene.. Nathaniel.. They all seemed here- but there were people missing..

 

”Where’s Chloe and Sabrina?” She asked,

 

”What?! You want them here?!” Alya exclaimed, her eyebrows raising to her forehead

 

”Uhh not to bring up a sore topic here— but didn’t they lock you in the bathroom? How did you not get akumatized?” Kim asked sourly, before getting punched in the shoulder by Alix. Juleka winced, clutching her arms uncomfortably. Rose’s eyes flashed with brief anger before looking up at Juleka

 

”Do you want them here?” She asked softly. Juleka paused for a moment, looking around—

 

Far off at the park’s tree line we’re the two girl’s in question, watching at a distance. Sabrina’s face was scrunched up with regret, and Chloe’s expression was soured with both regret and frustration. Juleka made eye contact with Chloe and pursed her lips together. She decided.

 

”It’s a class photo. They’re part of our class. I think Chloe will just have to learn to deal with that” She said, before smiling softly, trying to ignore her classmate’s flabbergasted reactions. She turned to Marinette “Like you said, we’re doing it right this time. Excluding them wouldn’t feel right.”

 

Juleka skittered away briefly, making her way to the trees where the two girls stood, Rose running shortly behind. Chloe’s eyes narrowed as she approached, Sabrina looked away shamefully.

 

The goth sighed, rubbing her neck awkwardly as she held Rose’s hand for support. The short blonde gave a reassuring squeeze, before the two turned back to the others.

 

”Wanna take photos with us?” Juleka asked. There was a few brief moments before Sabrina rushed forward and nodded, her eyes glossy with tears.

 

Rose gave her a large hug, oh her bleeding heart.. Juleka thought before turning back to Chloe, who was standing sheepishly next to the tree. Her sapphire eyes staring with remorse.

 

Juleka opened her hand invitingly, the heiress sighed, looking away shamefully, before taking her hand.

 

”I guess I can..” she said sourly, but there was no venom in her voice— the four girls walked back to the bench, where the class were watching in a mixture of awe and surprise.

 

”Well? We taking photos?” Vincent asked, the class nodded quickly, Rose in particular was beaming.

 

The class grouped up around and on the bench, Juleka found herself being seated in the center while Chloe and Sabrina stood in the back next to Adrien and Nathaniel. Sabrina looked delighted and Chloe looked.. she looked content for once. Maybe a little surprised herself.

 

”This photo was a good idea Marinette..” Adrien whispered behind her, she could practically hear Marinette squealing

 

”Thank you Adrien!” Huh.. I guess that means whenever I was comparing Ladybug and Marinette’s crush I was just running in a loop, huh, weird how things work out like that- both are messes.

 

And with a quick camera shutter, the photo was taken. A few gathered around the camera, Rose squealed with delight

 

”The class photo curse is broken! Thanks Marinette!” Rose exclaimed, wrapping her arms happily around Juleka’s shoulders as the goth gazed at the photograph, 

 

It was perfect, no random beams of sunlight to shun her face, no pigeons to get in the way, no accidental shoving, no random blurs or smudges- It was perfect.

 

Juleka couldn’t help but grin “Yeah, thanks.. partner” she said, enjoying the short circuit expression that went across Marinette’s face. However she didn’t notice the confused then curious expression that went across Chloe’s.

 

”Ehh, I’ve got time right now, I’m technically off duty, but would you guys be interested in more photos?” Vincent offered. The class beamed with delight

 

”Yes please!”

 

Those next few hours she spent was probably the most fun she had ever had. Even after they finished taking photos, the class had just.. hung around to talk, laugh, and just.. goof off. 

 

Vincent even printed the photos out for everyone, mentioning that “These photos are better than what the school’s got! Might as well actually let you kiddos have it first!”

 

It was probably the most she had ever talked to any of her classmates this entire school year. Taking photos, joking, playing around.. hell- she even took a picture with Chloe, as the heiress had simply pulled her over, took a selfie, then shuffled away next to Adrien, who gave her a big sweeping hug.

 

Hours later when Juleka got home, Luka had practically scrambled over- holding up his phone. On the ladyblog was Panthera Noire, and her miniature model shoot with Vincent. It was practically exploding with likes, as it was the first clear photo of Panthera that wasn’t from a video.

 

Not to mention the screaming fan girls who were raving at her posing.. Luka wrapped her up in an embrace, practically squeezing the life out of her- before almost crying as she pulled up her photos.

 

She had to stop him from framing them as she insisted they were just class photos, but still happily hung them up on her wall. The beaming grin on her face never leaving. Her heart felt warm, and she felt happy..

 

Today was a good day.. she thought, as she stared longing at Rose on the picture I wonder if she thought so too..

 

...

 

It was nice, really nice. Rose wasn’t sure why Juleka let Chloe and Sabrina join in, but the silent exchange between the two said wonders, it was fascinating. It was also nice to see Sabrina and Chloe interacting with different clsssmates,

 

Chloe was talking with Alix, though originally she thought they were arguing, the horrible smiles they gave each other spelt banter, which made Rose feel gleeful. Sabrina was briefly with Marinette, where their expressed to each other their love of specific mystery novels, before moving onto Max, and talked about biology.

 

The very quick selfie the two girls took with Juleka seemed like an apology on its own too, even if Chloe seemed to deny it. Rose’s heart bloomed with pride and joy as she saw the smile on Juleka’s face stretch wider and wider,

 

However as Rose watched Juleka and Marinette smile and gaze into eachother’s eyes, both wide and bright- there was.. a spark. A disgusting and stomach twisting feeling that burned at the bottom of Rose’s stomach.

 

Her eyes narrowed slightly as she glanced between her two friends.

 

People could define Rose Lavillant as.. Pure - An absolute Cinnamon roll — A Princess..

 

But princesses didn’t feel this way. Only the Evil Queens. The Evil Sisters. Only the monsters in her story books.

 

Rose’s grip around the bench tightened, as she realized in horror at what she was feeling. Her sky blue eyes watched Marinette’s face glow with delight as she talked with Juleka, and every part of her wished she was Marinette instead.

 

She.. She was supposed to be supportive.. she was supposed to be happy for Juleka.! All she had ever wanted was her best friend to be noticed.. to be loved as much as she so desperately wanted to be! And now she was!

 

Rose should be grateful for everything Marinette did! Marinette was a saint! Marinette helped!

 

So why.. why..

 

Why did Rose feel so..

 

-Her eyes widened with shock, as a part of her heart fluttered. Hints of disgust and anger filled her sick stomach as she saw how close Marinette was to Juleka. How Chloe stared at Juleka. How everyone looked at Juleka. The goth was so distracted and all Rose’s heart wanted was for Juleka to look at her.. and.. only her.

 

She felt creepy, like some stalker— but she couldn’t deny the strange beating in her heart and the quiver in her hands that quickened every time Juleka’s dreamy copper eyes met hers.

 

Rose hated this new feeling of obsession. So why did she still feel it? Why was she so focused on this? Why was she still so angry? Why was Rose so..

 

 

 

..Jealous?

 

 

Notes:

I didn’t change Chloe from being a petty bitch with the class photos. She may be better in this au but she still needs to be a bourgeois bitch before she gets full redemption.
Oh yeah-
No Reflekta.
That’s a thing.
I like the idea that the holders get stronger thanks to their parkouring all over Paris, so I was like “Normal Juleka would be trapped in the stall, BUT THIS JULEKA HAS BEEN WORKING OUT HAHA”
Also— Rose is pissed™, and I am too, Fuckin Damacoles

also also I’m finally dumping in more of that Julerose content™ and drama™ for all you lovelies, hope you likie

So yeah. Vincent hasn’t been akumatized yet in the main show so might as well now- i tried my best to make him different from other Vincent in the show who is also coincidentally a photographer (cough cough Pixelator).
So I made him “freeze” his targets in place instead of trap them, cause he really wanted these dumbasses to “chill out”
I don’t know how Juleka’s curse was actually broken, so I just put in: weird magic exists in her family, weird magic (Hawkmoth and Ladybug) meeting weird magic (her curse) cancels each other out.
Hawkmoth/Gabriel: I NEED THE MIRACULOUS BUT I ALSO WANT TO BE A GOOD FASHION MAN AND GIVE THIS POOR GIRL MODEL TIPS

Oh yeah- and Juleka is like 99% sure that Marinette is Ladybug. Because.. well.. she’s smart. Unlike Adrien OblviousSunshine JustaFriend Agreste. I hope i didn’t write her too Mary Sue..
More Chloe redemption too, huh.. chloe interacts with Alix a lot this chapter.. huh *side glances Chlolix*

Chapter 15: CopyCat

Summary:

IM BACK IM SO SORRY GUYS I JUST HAVE A LOT OF FICS IM WORKING ON RN

also I got a tumblr btw I talk about my fics on there you can see more of Panthera there (Art, episode summaries, writing, etc)
https://justanotherpersonsuniverse.tumblr.com/

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

’“Safe travels, Purr-tner” Panthera Noire winked teasingly, 

 

“Bug Out Kitty!” Ladybug said back, before shooting off-‘

 

Alya closed the footage and grinned

 

”They’re just made for each other aren’t they?” Alya squealed, “I mean- like I don’t wanna force it- but their chemistry has to be something right?.

 

The girl group made their shrugs and nods, Juleka in particular trying her best to be as neutral as possible, as the girl Alya was shipping her with was possibly only a few feet away.

 

“I think they’re cute together but..” Rose shook her head “I don’t think they’re interested in each other.”

 

”What?? I thought you liked LadyNoire, Rose! You said you thought it was romantic!” Alya said, genuinely surprised. Juleka scratched the back of her neck shyly as she mulled over it.

 

Would me and Marinette actually make a cute couple? She wondered

 

”Well yes but.. but.. uhh—“ Rose scrambled for an excuse, her cheeks darkening slightly. Juleka was touched at the effort her friend was making to keep her late night visits a secret “-Panthera Noire flirts with everyone!”

 

”But Ladybug doesn’t! She only acts like that around Panthera!” Mylene spoke up.

 

Marinette’s cheeks flushed, which made the Panthera Noire side of Juleka giggle with mischief.

 

”Now now girls, don’t you remember what Panthera Noire said during that footage leaked during Rogercop? Apparently she could be watching us right now!” Juleka drawled playfully, adding fuel to the fire.

 

Marinette squeaked with surprise “Oh my gosh she could.!

 

Rose’s expression lit up for a moment, and Juleka almost felt.. a little jealous? Of herself? What the hell?

 

”I wonder if we could find that ‘little fairy’ Panthera mentioned.. it’d be pretty cool” Alix wondered out loud. Juleka could practically feel Plagg snickering.

 

”Who knows, I don’t think we should meddle though..” She mumbled, as the group continued on. She glanced briefly at the Ladyblog “You’ve got a lot of interviews with Panthera, don’t you Alya?”

 

”Yeah, I was trying to make up for her photo fails by having videos of her instead, but apparently people were having problems with screen shorting pictures off her too!“ she groaned

 

Juleka nodded I guess that makes sense.. I always wondered if people were going to go down that loophole.. I guess it was covered though..

 

“So that was another problem on its own, I think it’s solved though! Along with her picture curse! Look at all these shots I got! Aren’t they cool?” Alya said proudly, pulling up her camera roll.

 

There were a ton of pictures of her, close ups to her face, her jumping through the hair— It was impressive, Juleka felt her cheeks warm as she saw all of the photos of herself.. it made her heart feel.. whole. Like this whole hero thing was worth it.

 

Her eyes glanced at Marinette. Thank god she’s oblivious.. along with the others.. probably glamour though.. this would’ve been really obvious by now.. she thought

 

”Yeah, they are cool” Juleka said as she gazed at her photo, as her friends around her gawked and squealed- but while the group felt light and giddy.. the goth not noticing the concerned and slightly envious expression Rose’s face. 

 

...

 

“That statue unveiling is coming up in the next couple of days, you showing up?” Ladybug asked

 

”Ehh.. probably not.. I don’t do well with crowds, interviews I’m usually fine with.. but.. but not crowds..” Juleka mumbled, twirling a hair in her hand “How about you?”

 

”I’m planning to” She said, stretching comfortably before leaning on the cat hero’s back “I think we might have to regardless, it’s a public thing, it’d be rude..”

 

”We’ll I’ve never had someone make a statue of me before so- I’m new at this” Juleka purred, before smirking “You wanna hear something Plagg told me today?”

 

Ladybug paused ”Uh sure? What’s up?”

 

”Well- he was visiting that akuma class from DuPont—“ She watched Ladybug freeze “—And he heard some girls chatting up about us two. The Ladyblogger is a big fan of Ladynoire..”

 

”O-Oh you.. y-you don’t say? I didn’t know that! Why would I know that? I know nothing!” Ladybug squeaked, rubbing the back of her neck embarrassedly, her cheeks a bright pink “I-I never would’ve imagined that they’d talk about that!”

 

”Mhm, good thing you weren’t there, you would’ve blushed up a storm” Juleka said flatly, as Ladybug turned an even darker shade of the color how did no one figure this out..

 

“R-Right?! Ha-Hahahha..! If I wasn’t there..”

 

”I’ll try and make it to the statue thing, I’ll see you then Partner?” Juleka asked, Ladybug nodded, smiling happily

 

”I will! See you Panthera!”

 

Juleka nodded and darted away, making a mental checklist on ideas to cover for Marinette more. That girl was somehow running on sheer luck that people weren’t figuring her out. So she might as well help out a little...

 

...

 

Okay this ceremony, statue unveiling.. whatever whatever- was actually kind of boring.

 

Luka was making it a big deal going ‘it’s a statue for you Jules! Someone carved your face into a rock!’ which was nice, but now kind of weird after the first few seconds of imaging someone carving her boobs too.

 

Now that’s an uncomfortable thought..

 

She sighed, brushing the hair out of her face. Could be worse.. she supposed. She looked around for Ladybug as she hung around near the Sculptor, waving at the crowd of people- feeling really small under her skin..

 

At least she could see a few familiar people in the crowd, Luka was in the back, smiling like an idiot, while Rose was squealing in the front with an excited Alya, snapping photo after photo.

 

Really milking the broken curse are we? Juleka thought cheekily to herself, before feeling a tap on her shoulder from the sculpted guy. He had a snazzy toothpick looking lollipop thing in his mouth. His name is Theo right? I think so.

 

”Excuse me, Panthera Noir, but Ladybug's not here.” He said shyly, tapping her shoulder.

 

“O-Oh- Don't worry about Ladybug. I'm sure she'll be here any minute.” Juleka said quickly, “I think we can handle this situation alone for now.“

 

Theo nodded “It's just that, I wanted to ask her to autograph this photo.” He said, holding up a small newspaper clipping “She's amazing. She's so brave and smart, the way she always saves everyone...“

 

Juleka’s eyebrow rose as she suppressed a slight scowl. Sir how fucking old are you?! She screamed internally.

 

“Perhaps the ceremony should commence, it might bring her here faster” Mayor Bourgeois suggested, looking over the sea of people. Juleka considered there idea that maybe Marinette was in said crowd a long time ago, but she doubted the idea that she wouldn’t be with Alya.

 

”Please, just one minute more, Mayor Bourgeois, she's going to come, I can feel it..!” Theo exclaimed, clutching the photo to his chest. Yeahhhh no. Just no.

 

Juleka cleared her voice “A-Ah so.. Mr Barbot right? Uhh.. this sculpture is quite impressive for its size.. ah.. how long have you been working on it for?” She asked, 

 

”Since the first akuma! I was just simply struck with absolute inspiration!” Theo exclaimed, babbling on and on about how effect and pretty and great Ladybug was..

 

Wow Juleka never knew how much she wanted to punch a guy before.

 

...

 

WOW OKAY SHE REALLY WANTED TO PUNCH THIS GUY NOW HOLY FUCK

 

”Ladybug didn't show up. I just wanted to express my adoration for her. Let her know that everything I had went into her statue!” Theo whined brokenheartedly “I'm sure if she took a little time to get to know me, she would see how much we have in common. Our devotion to the things we love..”

 

Juleka was silently seething. Yeah I’m shutting this simp down right now, I’m not letting Marinette get hit on my this thirty something lookin ass.

 

”Yeah.. sorry she didn’t show up.. maybe she had.. uh.. other things she needed to do today?” She said carefully “Maybe she could only come in civilian form— you got at least one of the heroes here right? Isn’t that enough? She’ll see it eventually!”

 

”Yes but.. I wanted to meet her..” Theo said, clutching the photograph. 

 

“Well she could’ve had other important things today, no biggie, if you’re looking for uh.. uh closer relationship with her like the one me and her do.. uh..” She searched for the least offending way to say this “..I don’t think you’re her type?” Nailed it.

 

”Type.. you and her..?” He echoed, his eyes knitting together with a growing anger

 

”Uhh.. gotta go! T-These statues are amazing! Bye!” Juleka squeaked, before scrambling away. Fuck this ain’t good.

 

...

 

Oh no. This like- even worse.

 

Looking from the livestream, it was a bunch of tired and exasperated looking civilians watching as an almost perfect copy of herself ran through the louvre, the Mona Lisa and a bunch of other priceless paintings in their arms.

 

Fortunately, it seemed like there was at least one detail the CopyCat failed to imitate-

 

Don’t mInd me I’m jUst stealing the mOna lIsa!

 

-her voice, clearly.

 

No one was buying it either by the looks of the footage, as the very high and very obviously fake falsetto voice make a few civilians cringe as the CopyCat cackled down the halls. At least they were labeling it as an akuma..

 

Climbing straight towards the police felt like a bad idea, so she decided to wait for Ladybug. Her tail lashed impatiently. This is obviously and akuma she thought but who.. who could it be? She wondered.

 

Seeing Ladybug drop in, she followed.

 

”Partner!” She called, skipping up. The red heroine turned around and smiled.

 

”Panthera, there you-“

 

Juleka squeaked as Roger slammed a pair of hand cuffs on her.

 

”You’re coming with me Copycat!” Roger sniffed, grabbing her arm.

 

Are you fucking kidding me?

 

“Oh you little..” Juleka crossed her locked hands as she looked up to glare at Roger “Mr Raincomprix.. be a good cop for once and let me and my Partner in? We’d like to look for some clues for this obvious akuma!”

 

”Mr Raincomprix please let my cat go, this is the real one.” Ladybug deadpanned before he could speak, still the officer kept his nose high.

 

”Oh yeah? Prove it!” He scoffed.

 

”I- are you kidding me? You’re serious?” Juleka asked, raising an eyebrow- jiggling her arms against the cuffs. Damn it damn it I am not getting arrested like this!

 

”I always am. You scared, Copycat?” Roger dared, his eyes narrowing. Ladybug groaned, rubbing the space between her eyes before pulling out her yoyo up to a Ladyblog livestream of Alya following Copycat.

 

Come and get me suckers!” Copycat yelled from the screen as Roger paled, looking down at it and then to the handcuffs around her wrist.

 

”D-Duh.. duh.. uh..”

 

”Please release me, Roger.” Juleka said dryly, her eyes narrowing as he quickly unlocked her from her cuffs. She sighed, Jeez.. she glanced up at Ladybug and smiled weakly as the three quickly scooted into The Louvre “I didn’t see you at the ceremony today Partner, something hold you up?“

 

Ladybug sighed as they walked into the missing painting room “You could say that..” She said exasperatedly “Did I miss anything?”

 

”Eh, nothing much, only the statue unveiling and the sculptor guy being.. a total..” Juleka’s eyes widened as she stopped in her tracks. Placed carefully on one of the seats was an all too familiar Lollipop stick. “..weirdo..”

 

She growled with rage. That mother fucker! Juleka cursed in her mind I should’ve known! I’m gonna kill him! Rip his stupid man bun clean off!

 

”Panthera? What’s wrong?” Ladybug asked as Juleka angrily crushed the stick in her hand.

 

Juleka didn’t answer, only turning and bolting out of The Louvre. She made it about halfway across the city following her gps when she got a call from.. Ladybug? Wait we can all each other on our weapons? That’s so sick why didn’t anyone tell me that!

 

Panthera where did you go?!” Ladybug said

 

”To Theo Barbot’s workshop! He’s the copycat!” Juleka shouted into her baton “Stupid thirty year lookin something jerk! Be ready got it? I’m gonna kick his ass faster than you can say ‘The Cat Is In The Bag!’” She hung up as she quickly pole vaulted over another couple buildings.

 

Standing above the workshop, a grim smile stretched across her lips as she looked down. A small letter and a porcelain lucky cat sat on a crate in the middle of the room. No doubt for her.

 

She slipped inside carefully, her eyes narrowing at it. It was suspicious to the highest degree but she needed to know want it was. Picking up the envelope carefully, she read a simple sentence

 

Cat’s in the bag.

 

”Oh damn it.” 

 

The box lunged outwards and she felt two metal cuffs clasp around her wrists. Juleka snarled. Damn it who keeps handcuffs in an art studio?!

 

”Cataclysm—“ She yelled, reaching towards the chains before watching as her glowing hand slammed into a small paper, she watched in anger as she met her own terribly smug face stepping away from her.

 

Juleka roared with anger as she struggled against the chains, doing her best to reach out and smack him, only to miss by a couple inches as he stood there. 

 

“I don't get what Ladybug sees in you. A fool who so easily falls into my trap.” Copycat scoffed, it was immensely weird to hear an adult man’s voice come out of her face. Her eyes narrowed. In fact- it was strange to see her face at all. She truly looked.. different as Panthera..

 

Despite the fact that almost nothing changed, there was a feeling of difference that she couldn’t shake. So this is how people see me.. Juleka thought, as she reached behind her for her staff, only to find it missing.

 

Copycat held it up with his own copy, a large smirk on his face as he flipped his hair smugly “Looking for this? Which one should I pick up? My one or my one?” He asked, as he spun each one in his hand, suddenly hers started to ring.

 

Copycat smirked at her before answering, her stomach dropped as she heard a perfect imitation of her voice spoken into it “Ladybug, hurry up. I've caught the impostor at Théo Barbot's workshop!” He purred.

 

“Okay! I'll be there in thirty seconds!” Ladybug said. Panic overwhelmed her.

 

“Don't come here, Ladybug! It's a trap!” She yelled, before Theo swiftly ended the call.

 

”Too late, Kitty. Ladybug's on her way, which was my plan all along.” He said proudly, it was awfully weird to want to punch her own face so bad.

 

”You were faking having a bad falsetto.. just to lure me here! To make sure it was obvious where you were!” Juleka snarled, her eyes narrowing as she heard a beep come from her ring.

 

”Of course I did! Ladybug doesn’t deserve a dumb kitty like you! I’m the one she deserves! We’ll be so perfect together! Her and I! If we’re together- a little cross dressing won’t hurt! For she’ll know the true me!” Copycat said gleefully, as he stared down at his autograph photo. Juleka internally cringed. Just my luck.. she cursed inside her mind. 

 

“Sure, with that awful acting she’ll sure to see the true you, an absolute creep!” Juleka snapped. Copycat growled, he shoved the photo into his pocket and charged at her, slamming her to the ground and pinning her to the floor.

 

This is so not my thing..!

 

She grimaced as she saw Copycat’s face glow with a faint butterfly visor, reaching for her ring before suddenly a wonderfully hopeful whizzing sound filled their ears as Ladybug swooped down from the warehouse windows.

 

“My lady! There you are!” Copycat smiled with disgusting glee, hearing it in her voice somehow made it worse for her. My lady? Seriously? This white knight piece of.. at least Ladybug immediately fell into a small state of unease as her jog turned into a suspicious trot and walk as she stared at the two.

 

Juleka gave a sheepish smile from underneath her doppelgänger as she attempted to tug her arm away again, meeting no success as another beep rang out.

 

”Panthera Noire..” She greeted nervously, glancing at them “He.. even looks like you..” She said, staring down at her.

 

”Its because I am me, Partner! He was faking the falsetto thing to lure me here! You’ve got to believe that I’m the real one!” Juleka said desperately. Ladybug’s eyes widened a bit as she glanced between them.

 

”No- he did!” Copycat said, grabbing Juleka by the wrist and holding it towards Ladybug as she hesitantly took her hand “Trust me my lady! You’ll see once you deakumatize him! The akuma- it’s in his ring!”

 

Juleka grimaced, looking up at the red heroine who was staring at her beeping ring with concern.

 

”If you don’t think I’m the real one..” Juleka started in a not so hushed tone, as Her eyes darted around before she lighting up “..ask him about our love for one another!” She said, before winking. A look of recognition passed by Ladybug’s face before she smiled at Copycat.

 

Ladybug let go of her ring and leaned close to Copycat’s face “I hope you haven’t told him about us..” She said seductively. Copycat let out a gurgled sounding ‘Uhhh’ as she watched her own face pinken.

 

”W-Whaa..?” Oh god do I really sound like that when I’m embarrassed?

 

“That we’re.. oh you know..” Ladybug looked away with fake shyness, before she tapped him on the nose “..we made a secret promise?” She asked almost tenderly. The Doppelgänger stammered for words before grinning nervously

 

”Uhh yes! O-Of course!” He said. Ladybug’s smirk only grew as she spoke again

 

”We never made a promise, Copycat!” She yelled and pointed at him proudly. The giddy smile dropped from Copycat’s face as her eyes burned with anger. 

 

“I love you Ladybug!” Copycat declared, his voice dropping out of her’s and switching back to his own as he gripped Juleka’s collar and shook her angrily “I‘m way better than this mangy alley cat!” He yelled.

 

”Hey- you’re the one stealing my face here!” Juleka snapped as Ladybug rolled her eyes

 

”Sorry Copycat! But liars are losers- and even though we aren’t a couple, I’d choose the real Panthera Noire over you every day!” Ladybug said confidently. Copycat rose an eyebrow

 

”You aren’t dating? B-but I thought..” Copycat sputtered. Ladybug rose an eyebrow at Juleka as she shrugged

 

”Look- I was trying to let him down easy- I guess he just assumed.” She explained, before pulling her legs and slamming her heels into Theo’s stomach, sending him flying across the room. She bounced to her feet and grinned “God that was satisfying!”

 

”Grr.. then you’re free game then! I won’t let anyone take your from me Ladybug! Cataclyyssm!” Theo yelled, lifting up his claws and summoning a familiar icky black power.

 

”Wow he made that sound stupid..” Juleka commented, turning to Ladybug “Please don’t tell me I sound like that whenever I do it..”

 

”Don’t worry Kitty, the original is much better” Ladybug smiled before pulling out her yo-yo “Let’s wrap things up!” She threw it in the air “Lucky charm!

 

Dropping into her partner’s hands was a..

 

”A spoon? What am I supposed to do with this?” Ladybug wondered out loud. Her eyes narrowed as she yanked against the chains again.

 

”Dunno! But think of something!” She said quickly.

 

Copycat charged at them, yelling with anger as he reached out to slash Juleka with his now active cataclysm, before Ladybug swooped in front of her. Juleka’s heart stopped for a moment before smiling as she saw Copycat’s claws smash into the quickly deteriorating chains and cuffs.

 

Copycat’s face fell as they crumbled off of Juleka’s wrists. Without waiting a second thought, Juleka quickly slammed her shoe into his face and sent him smashing into the brick wall. It was then that she noticed he wasn’t even wearing her heels. Coward, he couldn’t even copy that!

 

“Quick thinking, Partner!” Juleka smiled encouragingly. Ladybug grinned. Her eyes sparkling.

 

”Thanks! Where’s his akuma?” She asked

 

”Photo in his pocket! Let’s make this quick!” Juleka said, another beep echoing from her ring.

 

”Hah! You’re going to change back before me!” Theo cackled from the midst of the dust, she met her own matching emerald eyes. Huh I do have a hint of red, that’s cool.

 

“Can he even turn back..?” Juleka wondered, before charging forward. She got three good hits in, however her arms stung with pain as he smashed his double dueling batons into her, before throwing her over his shoulder and sending her tumbling across the ground.

 

Ladybug immediately covered for her and jumped into the fray, doing a much better job at fighting the copycat. Juleka pulled herself to her feet as she stalked around to his blind side, as Ladybug leaped to a higher area.

 

”He’s pretty good!” Ladybug commented. Juleka sprang forward and attempted to reach for her baton, only to miss and land on the ground with a hiss. She was up in her feet again, smashing her knuckles into his side before being thrown a few feet to the right.

 

”No need to rub it in! He’s cheating!” Juleka barked back, her tail lashing with irritation.

 

”I told you I was better!” Copycat said, before yelping as Ladybug snapped her yo-yo forward and yanked back her baton, passing it back to Juleka.

 

”Sure you are Copycat!” Ladybug teased. Juleka grinned as she leapt forward again, she had no idea how to actually sword fight besides a few old memories with Anarka’s ‘surprise spars’ but wow this fun!

 

I feel like a pirate somehow she thought as she blocked another smack- the clanging sound of metal and their grunts filling the art studio as she heard the drowned out whizzing sound if Ladybug’s yo-yo.

 

Meeting another strike, she pulled her baton back, she flexed her muscles as she pulled forward and slammed her baton against her double’s. Unfortunately he did the same, and sent their weapons flying.

 

Juleka made the first punch to his face, it was still weird to fight against herself. It was making her brain confused..

 

Blocking another attack, she leapt up to slash her claws into his briefly fallen form, before finding her wrist caught by Ladybug’s yo-yo. She turned around.

 

”Partner it’s me!” She yelled. Copycat sprung to his feet

 

”No it’s me! I’m the real one My Lady!”

 

Yeah that’s all it took to convince her.

 

Yanking Juleka towards her, Ladybug hauled her over her shoulders and spun around before practically shooting the cat hero towards the akuma.

 

”Panthera Noire- use quick attack!” She yelled as Juleka cackled and slammed into him. The two continued to wrestle for dominance, claws flying everywhere as she snarled with rage. She could hear the sound of stretching tape as she glanced at the corner of her eye.

 

Ladybug smiled at her, holding up a crafted fishing pole. She grinned and nodded to her, before stepping backwards to the place Ladybug motioned towards. Good job Marinette she thought, as she let herself get tackled by Copycat.

 

Bending her legs, she caught Theo by the stomach, holding him up above her. His face paled with confusion as she winked at him.

 

”Guess you got catfished.” She quipped, as Ladybug hooked the spoon around his belt. Juleka swiftly unzipped his pocket as Ladybug yanked him toward the ceiling. She spun around the drafters before snatching the picture from his open pocket. She ripped it in two and smiled with relief as the butterfly fluttered out of it.

 

Juleka dusted herself off as Ladybug casted her miraculous cure. Looking up, she saw Theo ungracefully fall from the ceiling and she halfheartedly caught him in her arms like a bride, before letting him unceremoniously flop to the floor again.

 

”Please never fall in love with me” Ladybug deadpanned, her eyes dead tired “I think the idea of you in love with me just died really really hard today.”

 

”Oh for sure” Juleka chuckled before pausing “wait you had the idea of falling in love with me?”

 

”Uhh..” Ladybug looked away momentarily, a bit pink under the mask “Dark Cupid.” Is all she said

 

”Ah- yeah.” The cat hero nodded sheepishly, before feeling her ring beep again “Sorry about that again.”

 

”No worries- I’ll handle Theo here, thanks for helping out today Panthera, I owe you one” Ladybug said. Juleka smiled softly, she quickly bounced away.

 

Finally reaching home, she let herself collapse on the couch while Plagg flew straight towards the fridge.

 

“Well that was an interesting statue unveiling, heard Panthera Noire got framed for some cat burglary” Luka commented slyly, throwing a blanket onto her. She smiled softly as she snuggled into it tiredly. “So what’d you do today, Jules?”

 

”Kick ass.” She said, Luka laughed

 

”That’s my sister” He smiled proudly, “Ice cream?”

 

”Please”

 

...

 

”—You’re sixteen?!”

 

”Yeah sorry Mr Barbot.”

 

”Oh my- oh god I have so so sorry.. I just- who gave sixteen year olds magic powers holy shit?! You’re children!”

 

”Yep..”

 

”Panthera said you two were younger than twenty five- I’m twenty five! I just- holy fuck I am so sorry kid..”

 

”No worries! Sorry I couldn’t make it to your statue unveiling, can you keep my age on the down low though? It’s a bit of private information that I needed to say to help you with your thing..”

 

”Oh no problem Ladybug! I’m so sorry again..“

 


 

I was drawing Panthera Noire more and I was having fun, but I felt bad about using ActuallyRea/GinjaNinjaOwO’s designs, I felt like I was copying (which is weird sense this entire fic was inspired by that design), but regardless, I felt uncomfortable with using a design that wasn’t mine.

So I made my own design of her now:

a little similar, a little not, went for a more ‘rocker chick’ look to try and differentiate.

snazzy snazzy snazzy I hope

ALSO SHES FIGHTING IN HEELS HOW TF IS SHE DOING THAT!? Same reason how Reflekta was able to i guess

hope you like it

Another drawing I made of Panthera

There’s a lot more fan art I made on my tumblr as well as stories, if you want to see more Panthera content that isn’t just chapters, go visit there

Like- I have a lot of art and writing. Go check it out y’all

(I’ve explained a lot of future chapters there and I have a lot there for y’all who want more panthera content sense I don’t post chapters often)

(the good news is that the next two chapters have been planned so stay tuned!)

Notes:

I know that in the show Copycat is actually able to imitate Chat’s voice but I found the idea that he can’t do Juleka’s female voice funny so I went with him doing a really bad falsetto instead, for comedy sake, until the finale fight where he reveals he did it to taunt Panthera

Theo was a simp and then became a white knight when akumatizing. I added that whole My Lady for referential spice

I last minute decided on tumblr (again its https://justanotherpersonsuniverse.tumblr.com/) to kill Adrienette and DjWifi by pulling out the ‘I’m in love with my best friend but she’s straight’ card for poor Alya, who has been secretly dying this entire time from said card!
Rest in piece to those two ships but this is my fic and I like my Rare pairs.

Animan is going to be.. fun
This fic is rlly fucking gay bros

Chapter 16: Animan

Notes:

Rest in fucking pieces DJ WiFi

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Awww, stressed out, are we, Miss Panthie? You're talking about a wild animal, dude.

 

Juleka wasn’t sure of what the fuck she was looking at.

 

”Uhhh— hey Rose..?” She said

 

”Yes Juleka?”

 

”What.. what the hell is Kim doing?”

 

Rose looked up from her ice cream, their fingers were tangled together as not to get separated and it made Juleka’s heart skip a beat. The blonde’s eyes squinted before her lips settled into a frown.

 

In front of them was the black panther enclosure. The two girls watched as two of their classmates stood in front of it, the jock making faces at the glass while the big cat snarled at him. Rose was quiet for a moment before answering.

 

”Kim is.. yelling at a panther.” Rose said blankly, her eyes narrowing with concern.

 

”That’s.. that’s weird right? This isn’t normal?” The goth asked carefully, tilting her head. Rose thought for a moment again before shaking her head.

 

”Nope.”

 

The two were silent for a moment as they watched Kim argue with the very exasperated and irritated zookeeper, Max watching next to him adding commentary and notes. A shame. She wanted to check out her hero’s namesake animal. 

 

”Wanna go look at a different animal?” Juleka asked, looking down at her. Blinking slowly. She wondered if Rose knew what that meant. She herself wondered why she started to do it.

 

Rose smiled brightly ”Sure!”

 

Honestly, Juleka had no idea how they came to the zoo. Something about a new exhibit..? To be frank, she didn’t care. Her opinions of zoos were very mixed, but they were better than circuses at least..

 

She had to admit though, it was very beautiful, and the beaming smile on Rose’s face as they passed by every animal was worth the hot sun. Juleka adjusted her hat carefully.

 

”I’m glad I could come here with you today Rose.” She said softly. “It’s really pretty here.”

 

”You too! I-I mean- yeah Me too- I mean- yeah.. it is pretty! Here! This place!” Rose said quickly, her cheeks growing a soft pink. Juleka felt her heart explode for a moment as she struggled to contain her already crumbling composure.

 

She squeezed Rose’s hand as she giggled.

 

”Yeah.. it is pretty here. Again- thank you for taking me out, we should do this again some time” Juleka smiled, not noticing the soft sigh of relief Rose let out as she hid her flustered face from the goth, ”So what do you—“

 

”He’s sure taking us time, huh? He's not coming, is he?”

 

The two froze, Rose pulled her behind a trash can as they peered around. Juleka’s cheeks felt hot as she glanced down at their intertwined hands again before she refocused.

 

Sitting at a small picnic table was Nino and Marinette, sitting awkwardly away from each other. Juleka’s eyes narrowed with confusion before her gaze darted around.

 

On opposites ends of the opening, hidden in the bushes and from behind a tree was Adrien and Alya. Raising an eyebrow, her eyes fell with curiosity on the two earpieces the girls and boys shared.

 

”Yes he is, but first I wanted to take this opportunity to.. to uh..” Nino sputtered, he paused and waited, Juleka could see that Adrien was telling him something from his bush as Nino did his best to repeat “..to tell you that I- Gahhh.. I..uh..” His eyes darted around “..lllove a girl that I don't know how to tell her!” He squeaked.

 

”Ooh this is so so..intense? Dramatic? Ooh.. Crazy! Nino must be trying to confess to Marinette! I knew he had a crush on her! I wish we got closer..” Rose whispered excitedly

 

”Since when did Nino have a crush on Marinette?” She asked

 

”Since like a month ago!” Rose replied, before sighing dreamily “So romantic!” 

 

Looking at the four separated kids, a brief smirk grew on the goth’s face.

 

”I’ve got an idea” Juleka whispered, rustling through her bag.

 

”What is it?” Rose asked. Juleka lifted up her phone and shuffled into her contacts before pulling up Rose’s info. The blonde rose an eyebrow and tilted her head curiously, not unlike a puppy. It was terribly adorable.

 

”We can leave ourselves on speaker. I’ll watch on the Alyanette side and you watch Adrinino side” Juleka said quietly “So we can hear all sides of this whole chaotic fiasco”

 

Rose was quiet for a few moments, and small flicker of fear passed over Juleka as she wondered if she was being too direct or controlling before Rose giggled softly.

 

”Did.. did you use ship names?” She asked, her soft baby blue eyes glistening with a hint of mischief. Juleka flushed a bright pink, but there was no mask to hide it.

 

”M-Maybe? Sorry that was weird..” She mumbled nervously, Rose shook her head quickly

 

”No no! It was cute! Let’s do it!” Rose exclaimed, too busy with pulling out her own phone to see how red Juleka’s cheeks had gotten “Operation Spy on the Spies is a go! We’ll be like partners in crime Jules!” Rose grinned.

 

The gothic girl paused before she smiled softly, her heart melting into warmth and ‘I love you’ is all she could think.

 

”I’ll meet you at the tiger exhibit once this is all over, we wouldn’t want them to see us after all” Juleka said,

 

“Got it!” Rose nodded, and the two departed. But despite the small spark of excitement in her, She was already longing for contact again. Might as well see how my partner’s slippery love life is doing.

 

It wasn’t hard to sneak behind Alya. It was almost too easy actually, now that she thought about it. Plagg peeked out of her pocket curiously and she made a ‘be quiet’ motion as she crouched down nearby.

 

”You? Giving expert advise on how to tell someone you love them? Can't wait to hear this one!” Alya smirked, though despite her jovial attitude... something about her tone sounded.. almost bitter.

 

"Can't wait to hear this one..." Marinette repeated mockingly,

 

What?” Nino said, his voice edging into brief fear 

 

”Uhh.. Can't wait to hear... about this lucky girl!” Marinette squeaked, loud enough that Juleka didn’t even need to lean near Alya’s voice set to catch it. Nice save. Juleka thought drlyly. Glancing to the side, she could see Alya slowly inching closer behind the tree. Her eyes trained on the two friends like a predator to it’s prey, completely still.

 

Oh.. Yeaah..” Nino nodded awkwardly, glancing backwards a little desperately towards Rose and Adrien’s direction.

 

Tell her it’s you!” Adrien’s voice picked up from Juleka’s phone, 

 

Oh my gosh it’s happening.!” Rose whispered 

 

It's youuu...” As Nino awkwardly crawled out his confession that in another life Juleka would define as smooth, she actually wondered if he’d go through with it, “..ur best friend Alya!” Nino squeaked, panic written all over his chalky face.

 

Annnd Guess not.

 

What?!” Alya, Adrien, Rose, and Marinette helped on their respective calls.

 

”Oh this is going to be interesting.” Plagg said flatly, Juleka groaned, rubbing the space between her eyes

 

”Yup.”

 

Could this be? The birth of DJWiFi?!” Rose gasped with excitement on her end

 

”Damn it Nino I’m gay as fuck what are you fucking doing?!” Alya hissed through her teeth, rubbing her temples with frustration as she lifted the mic away from her face momentarily to make sure Marinette didn’t hear her.

 

”Ah. The death of DJWiFi.” Juleka deadpanned. “Gay solidarity though. Nice.”

 

She could be bi!” Rose squeaked on her line

 

”Could be bi..” Juleka nodded as she inched slowly closer, barely making a sound as Alya slipped the earpiece back on to try and wrangle the situation again.

 

”This trip is turning out to be a lot more interesting than I thought! I wish she’d turn up the volume though so we could heard what pigtails is saying better!” Plagg hissed in her ear, before she waved him off.

 

”Alya? Awesome!” Marinette smiled, whether or not she was actually so oblivious to the confessing discomfort and look of ‘wow I fucked this up’ on Nino’s face, or was masterfully dodging Nino’s confession. Knowing both of her Ladybug and Marinette sides.. Juleka could definitely say it was the oblivious option.

 

The blogger seemed to snap out of her grumbling daze as she stared up in horror ”What?! No! No it’s not awesome!” She yelled

 

”I can fix up a date for you guys!” Marinette added, again, oblivious as her angelic smile spread across her face.

 

”Dear lord.” Juleka said flatly, despite struggling very intensely with trying not to laugh- which as a challenge Rose was barely failing as her stifled laughter could be heard from her phone.

 

Oh boy..” Adrien said

 

“W-What?! No! I-“ Alya growled, crossing her arms angering No way! Nino's like.. a brother to me! Just Ugh! No! End of discussion!”

 

He's gonna be so sad if you don't.” Marinette whispered, her bluebell eyes soft and sad 

 

Did you say something?” Nino asked confusedly, Juleka was getting real tired of this miscommunication bit.

 

“I said... It'd be so sad if you didn't tell her!” Marinette quickly said, posing a large grin.

 

Marinette is a lot better at making excuses than I thought” Rose whispered into her phone

 

Juleka smirked, playing with her ring “I bet she has practice,

 

“No! No way! Marinette I swear to the mother of all fucks if you try and set me up so help me I’ll—” Alya started before suddenly a roar that was shortly followed by an ear piercing scream broke out.

 

Juleka yelped, stumbling backwards into a bush. Alya spun around, her eyes widening.

 

”Juleka?!” The blogger exclaimed, 

 

Juleka?! Are you okay?” Rose’s voice yelled from the other line

 

What the- Rose!?” Adrien squawked

 

Rose?” Nino parroted, looking around confusedly

 

”Juleka?” Marinette repeated, before another scream interrupted all six of them. Juleka shot out of the bushes and looked through the trees, seeing Kim and Max dashing down the walk, screaming like a madmen.

 

”HE’S COMING!”

 

”RUN!”

 

Juleka’s eyes widened as running after them, lean, snarling, and with burning violet eyes- was a furious black panther. Her neck twisted to the side and her stomach dropped more as following after it was an army of rampaging animals.

 

”Oh shit”

 

”RUN RUN RUN RUN!” Nino screamed, turning to flee “WE’RE DITCHING THIS SHIT!”

 

”D-Dagh! N-Nino wait up!” Adrien shouted, running after him from the bushes, followed by a screaming Rose. Juleka paled as she turned to Alya.

 

”Well?? Run!” The goth shouted, and the two scrambled out of the foliage as the ground underneath them shook with the army of creatures of various sizes and smells. It almost made Juleka’s eyes tear up from the stench of a few of them.

 

”Were you and Rose spying on us?!” Alya exclaimed

 

”Maybe? We got were walking around, spotted you, and Rose wanted to know what was going on!” Juleka shouted back as they turned a corner.

 

”Why?!”

 

Juleka was silent for a moment ”She likes romance?” She tried 

 

“Nuh uh! No way- There’s no way in hell im dating Nino!” Alya shouted, “God! What am I doing- I should be filming the akuma!”

 

Juleka’s eyes narrowed as they skidded to a stop “Yeah I don’t think you should”

 

”Uh- Why?” The blogger rose an eyebrow

 

”Literal army of animals Alya, you will get eaten.” Juleka deadpanned, growling as another roar echoed through the zoo, she stared down at Alya before turning away “Shit- Okay- I’m gonna go find Rose, you do your whole blog thing” 

 

She turned to run before finding her arm held back, she spun around in confusion before meeting Alya’s scared expression.

 

”Did.. you hear what I said then?”

 

Juleka rose an eyebrow ”What?”

 

Alya stared at her for a moment, her eyes narrowing before she looked away bitterly “Nevermind, see you Juleka, I hope you find Rose”

 

The goth stared at her confusedly. That was.. weird.. 

 

“Uh.. Okay? See ya Alya” She mumbled, before scrambling away. Hearing Plagg flying out of her pocket, she dove behind a large patch of bushes and foliage and looked to him “That was weird right?”

 

Plagg yawned “I fell asleep when Blogger a Girl was yelling about Nino- what was weird?” He asked

 

”Nevermind” Juleka said, her eyes narrowing as another roar echoed across the park. She growled, rubbing her ring “Let’s fix everything— Plagg! Claws Out!”

 

...

 

“You lost, kiddo. What do you think of panthers now?” The panther snarled, stalking forward towards a cowering Kim

 

That... panthers are the best?” He tried. Juleka started down from her perch, a toothy grin splitting across her face as she jumped down.

 

”Couldn’t agree more Kim!” She quipped, flicking her hair to the side “Panthers are the best!”

 

“Along with Ladybugs!” Another figure said, jumping down next to her. Juleka grinned as Ladybug sent a beaming smile her way.

 

“I think I’m higher on the food chain..” Animan snarled, his voice gravely and deep. Almost sounding as if a scratching post grew vocal chords.

 

”Kim! Run for it!” Ladybug yelled, as the jock nodded profusely, screaming as he bolted off to the right. Animan roared as he chased after him, bounding after him before Ladybug swung her yo-yo forward, and catching the panther mid air, causing him to slap into the ground.

 

Juleka’s eyes fell upon the claw bracelet that hung around one of his paws “That’s gotta be it.” She hissed, but before she could jump forward- she was stopped by a loud roar. Looking up with horror, she found another horde of zoo creatures strutting out from behind the fallen Akuma.

 

”Attack!” Animal roared, as the animals burst forward. Juleka and Ladybug screamed, Ladybug dropping her yo-yo as the two booked it. Looking back, her eyes narrowed as she saw the akuma’s mass suddenly bubble, form darkening and shifting- before suddenly turning into a small dog and slipping out of the string, and running.

 

Ohhh fuck FUCK FUCK FUCK

 

Darting through the maze of a zoo, Juleka found herself falling to stomach as a snake snap at her heels, before she began running on all fours in a state of desperation to keep moving.

 

”This is insane!” She yelled

 

”No kidding! What are we supposed to do? Put them back in their cages?!” Ladybug sputtered, before yelping as they narrowly dodged a screaming Alya and Nino being chased by a gorilla. Ladybug paled in horrror as she bounded after them “Split up!” She yelled.

 

Another scream interrupted Juleka’s protest as Adrien and Rose ran across the walk from a different direction, being chased by a lion. Oh fuck no.

 

Jumping onto a pole, she clawed her way after them, launching herself at the lion and smacking it across the face with her baton. It roared at her, and she roared back, before pouncing over it and grabbing Rose and Adrien by the scruffs- and then jumping onto the top of a roof.

 

Placing them down, a smile spread across her face

 

”Hello there Princess, a trip to the zoo?” She purred, giving a curt bow to Rose who giggled

 

”Something like that, until the akuma showed up” Rose smiled, her cheeks dusting into a light pink that made Juleka’s heart beat

 

”Wow! Panthera Noire!” Adrien beamed Oh I forgot about him “You’re so much cooler in person! It’s nice to meet you!”

 

She smiled sheepishly, blushing a bit. Wow he literally shines 

 

“Aw, thanks I-“ She was interrupted by the trumpeting sound of a pissed off elephant, which was something she never thought she’d ever have to or need to hear “-gotta go. I gotta go. See ya!”

 

Quickly bouncing off, Juleka glanced back a few times to make sure Rose was okay, landing on a tree. Her tail lashed. Shit- I literally just left her on a roof. Should I go back and move her or..

 

Suddenly the tree lurched to the side, as a group of animals began to jostle her around. She screamed, inching upwards as a giraffe, smacked its head at her, making a terrifying strange moan of a sound. I didn’t even know giraffes could make sounds what the fuck—

 

“Panthera!” Ladybug shouted, landing on a nearby enclosure “There’s too many! We can’t capture them all!”

 

”Have you been trying to put them back?!” Juleka yelped, swiping at an swooping eagle, she growled at it, before looking back at her friend and jumping up to her “So what now?!”

 

“We go back to Plan A- destroy the object, hope the cure fixes everything” Ladybug said quickly

 

”We always do that, and that hasn’t failed us yet, so let’s” Juleka shrugged, and the two quickly bounced off, retrieving Ladybug’s yo-yo, and then making their way through the now animal infested city.

 

...

 

Spinning and jumping across the rooftops always brought Juleka a sense of ease, even in the worst situations. The way the wind brushed against her face and combed through her hair- How the soft tapping and puttering against the brick, stone, and wood- and seeing her shadow dance over the roofs made her feel.. miraculous. 

 

Then again, she could do without the animals rampaging around the city, luckily not eating or hurting anyone but still.

 

”Over there!” Juleka shouted, pointing to the left, as they focused in on a screaming Kim, booking it was from a snarling panther before tripping and crashing to the ground, the akuma stalking froward with a wide tooth filled grin.

 

“..and then.. there was one!” He snarled, pouncing forward- only to be stopped again by the quick whip of Ladybug’s yo-yo.

 

”Not this time Animan!” Ladybug yelled, as Juleka landed after her.

 

”Yeah! This city has room for one black cat! And it’s me!” She grinned, crossing her arms, before quickly glancing at Kim.

 

Passing by Animan, she slipped a tracker from her baton into Kim’s hoodie as she patted him on the back.

 

”Hey Kimmy, why don’t you scram for now- we’ll keep this panther off your tail for a while” Juleka winked, before pulling him to his feet and shoving him off, not looking away until he started to run again. Just in case.. Turning back around Animan she crossed her arms and grinned.

 

”Now as for you..”

 

”You’ll never take me!” The panther snarled, burning and bubbling into a bright violet before turning into an eagle. Letting out a cry, he flapped away. No doubt continuing his chase. Juleka chuffed.

 

”Dumbass..” she mumbled.

 

”What do we do now?! We’ll be chasing him all day if we keep this up!” Ladybug exclaimed angrily, biting down on her thumb as she tapped her foot on the ground. Thinking. Juleka smiled to herself. Can’t help but be a little Marinette even as Ladybug, can you partner? “Maybe if we can- no.. timing would be too hard.. or maybe..”

 

“Or maybe we can just trust the fact he’ll find Kim and follow him there?” Juleka suggested,

 

”But we’ll need to know where Kim—“ Ladybug started, before Juleka pressed a claw to her lips, smirking before opening up her baton’s gps.

 

”Voila.” She smiled, as Ladybug gingerly took it from her hands, her silvery blue eyes lighting up excitement and clicking gears as her brilliant mind began to work “A trap for you, partner”

 

“This’ll work! Come on kitty!” Ladybug grinned, jumping past her as the two darted to the Dupain Cheng Bakery.

 

...

 

Getting inside wasn’t a difficulty, Mrs. Sabine and Mr Tom were always a comforting delight, it wasn’t like they weren’t before, but their kindness and comforting aura was always staggering for Juleka. 

 

They were like if warmth was embodied into two people. Hell- she was pretty sure she heard Mr Tom call Kim ‘son’. She supposed that made sense, after all, Kim had known Marinette sense they were in diapers apparently. But the look of happiness on relief every time Tom said it to him made it seem to matter so much more.

 

Especially with his family. 

 

Juleka trailed her way through the bakery, glancing back every so often to see Ladybug— no- Marinette staring at her own home. It was fascinating to watch really. How Ladybug avoided this place. How her face contorted with fear as Sabine looked at her when they entered. How careful she was, looking at things she no doubt sees every day with a feeling of gentleness, care, and consideration.

 

As if she was a stranger.

 

Juleka’s ear twitched as she watched her classmate in a red mask move through the kitchen, her piercing eyes glancing over everything with an analytical but soft stare. And Juleka knew that this was what Marinette was fighting for.

 

She couldn’t tell you what was going on in the girl’s brain. But if Juleka had to guess, it’d probably feel like a third person experience to her- as Mrs. Sabine busied herself with showing Ladybug around, as if her own daughter was bracing her with her presence.

 

Juleka was silent. She wondered what would happen if Anarka met Panthera Noire. If she’d act the same. If she’d recognize her. If she would care. Shaking her head, she did he rents to unravel these thoughts.

 

Well.. Anarka was the same with everyone. For better or worse.. and despite how much Mrs Sabine and Mr Tom adored Marinette, there wasn’t anything to them that indicated that they recognized their own daughter.. and if her mother cared—

 

Juleka hoped she would. Because that meant the secret meant something. That she meant something.

 

And Juleka knew she did, she knew she was worth something enough that Anarka lawfully divorced Juleka’s dad for her. But the hopefully unrealistic fears that if Anarka looked at her and saw a city saving lawful indivual and then sneer in disgust for betraying their chaotic life, always seemed to plague Juleka.

 

Shaking her head, Juleka attempted to think of other things as she stared outside, watching Animan’s shadow as he loomed over the building.

 

I wonder what Alya and Nino are doing right now. Juleka wondered

 

...

 

“..this is your fault,” Alya deadpanned, the two were locked in one of the enclosures. Ladybug had thrown them inside for protection. It smelt of shit. Mostly cause it was a damn monkey pen but there was also a piece of shit next to her.

 

”I said I’m sorry!” Nino whined, there he is

 

“Fucking damn it Nino!” Alya yelled

 

”I just I- I couldn’t” Nino said weakly, covering his face embarrassedly.

 

Nino.” Alya growled, sitting up to stare down at him.

 

”I freaked out dude! I freak out all the time! I just- I- I just freeze! Like a deer in the headlights! Or- like- A stupid ass turtle trying to hide in his shell because he wanted to like- cause he’s- Fuck I don’t know where I’m going with this metaphor! We’ve been sitting in this cage for too long” Nino huffed angrily, slumping backwards on his back and kicking his legs around

 

Alya sighed, laying next to him, crossing her arms.

 

”Can’t say I blame you.. Marinette is amazing, she’s.. just miraculous.” She said, looking up at the top of the enclosure, her cheeks dusting a soft pink “I probably would’ve done the same..” she murmured.

 

Nino nodded silently “Yeah..”

 

The two were silent, before suddenly Nino shot upwards

 

”WAIT WHAT-“ 

 

...

 

Probably not anything interesting. Juleka thought, her tail twitching I wonder about Rose and Adrien..

 

...

 

Ohmygosh! That is so cute!” Rose squealed

 

”Yeah” Adrien rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, his cheeks a soft pink “Ladybug is just.. so amazing.. and even though it sounds ridiculously.. I know it’s more than just a celebrity crush..”

 

”That’s so romantic Adrien! Wow! Juleka was right about Ladrien! Woo!”

 

...

 

Juleka sneezed, rubbing her nose Hopefully not anything weird she thought, before looking up at Ladybug, who was walking over. Straightening up, she gave an easy smile, her tail flipping around.

 

”Hey there Partner.” Juleka smiled, “Any plans to deal with our new favorite furry?”

 

”Hey- and yeah, I do” Ladybug smiled, her eyes twinkling “You alright with being bait?”

 

Juleka chuffed “Always- as long as I’m going toe to toe with my name sake”

 

”You betcha” Ladybug, before guiding her to the window and pointing across the street “Now, I need you to lead him to that bus over there, I’ve been thinking, he’s been really keeping his animal swaps pretty limited, you’d think he’d be spamming his power more right? But he’s only been using it to escape or enter situations.”

 

”So? We putting this kitty in a box?” Juleka asked. Ladybug nodded, the smile on her face stretching

 

”Exactly.”

 

...

 

The plan was easy, yell into the sky like an idiot, hope his pride gets him first, punch him in the face, and then throw him into a bus. It was honestly going great.

 

Juleka spat out curse words and taunts until a screaming eagle started to dive head first at her, she punched him in the face, he turned into a giant wolf and tried to rip her leg off, before turning into a black panther when she called him a coward and trying to claw out her eyes- and she and Ladybug lured him into the bus and locked him inside.

 

So yeah, going great.

 

..UNTIL HE TURNED INTO A  GIANT MOTHER FUCKERING TYRANNOSAURUS REX WHAT THE FUCK?!

 

”THAT IS SO CHEATING!” Juleka shrieked, before smoothing her hair back as she looked at Ladybug “And also super lame, like- he could’ve done that the entire time right? Is he like- dramatic or..”

 

”Save the chit chat Panthera! Regardless if this is.. absolutely ridiculous.. we’ve got to deal with him!” Ladybug shouted, as the prehistoric creature let out a guttural roar, slamming into the cement. Juleka gulped.

 

”Yeah! Sure! How about we be quick about it? Before we become extinct.!?” Juleka yelped, as Animan began to charge at them.

 

”Right! Lucky Charm!” Ladybug yelled, as they dove behind a car. Looking up, Juleka saw that plopping into Ladybug’s lap was.. ”A car jack? What am I supposed to do with this?”

 

”Uh, jack him up?” Juleka suggested, earning a brief glare before Ladybug went into thinking

 

”I’ll figure it out later, I don’t see any clues yet..” She murmured, looking backwards at the rampaging creature “Distract him while I tie him up?”

 

”Sounds like a plan, you know I’m.. rather distracting” Juleka purred, combing a hand through her hair seductively, earning a laugh from Ladybug.

 

”Sure kitty, lets do this!” Ladybug said, as the two bounced away from the car. Just in time too, as Animan had found their little hiding spot, and crushed it to pieces under his massive weight.

 

Juleka skidded across the ground, raking her nails into the brick floor, before shooting forward. She scaled his back like a mountain climber and hung on for dear life, as he began to jerk around wildly, he teeth clamping down on thin air as shew as nearly bucked off.

 

I swear to god if I hurl on this thing! Juleka cursed, as she began to feel dizzy, before the creature lurched forward and crashed into the ground. Juleka flipped off in, stumbling on the ground a bit as she looked backwards, smiling as she as Ladybug’s yo-yo wrapped around his legs.

 

Skipping next to her partner, she grinned “Good work, now for the cat’s job, right?”

 

”Right.. but..” Ladybug looked down at the car jack, her eyes narrowing “I’m still trying to figure out what this is for.. it’s gotta mean something right?”

 

”I guess so, but he’s here, I think we’ve done our job.” Juleka shrugged, as she made her way over to Animan’s body— before she was suddenly yanked backwards. Looking up, she let out a strangled yelp as she saw Animan’s writhing and biting form.

 

”We can’t get close! He’ll keep biting at us!” Ladybug said, before holding up the car jack “So We’ll have to keep him from biting!”

 

Juleka’s face fell “Partner what are you doing.”

 

Ladybug began to charge forward “TRUST ME!”

 

”No no no no don’t you fucking dare!” Juleka shrieked, stumbling to her feet.

 

”OPEN WIDE MOTHER FUCKER!” Ladybug shouted, as Juleka watched in horror as Marinette jumped straight into the mouth of Animan’s gaping toothy maw, before it snapped shut.

 

The goth sat, speechless. Seconds passed and she had no idea what to do. Her hands began to shake.

 

Holy fucking shit she just fucking died..” Juleka said weakly, her throat dry as she just stared, when suddenly slowly the dinosaur’s jaw slowly, inched, open. Looking up, she saw Ladybug sitting nonchalantly in his mouth, opening his jaw with the car jack.

 

Ladybug slipped out of his mouth, and with a crack flick of the wrist, she smashed the akumatized bracelet. Juleka smiled as Miraculous cure washed over her, painting the sky in a gorgeous pink as the magic washed over the city. Looking back at her partner, all she could see was her classmate

 

”That was fucking insane.” She said breathlessly, facing Marinette, before sweeping her into a bone crushing hug “Never do that again I swear to god!“

 

”I’m fine! Panthera! I promise! I’m okay!” Marinette squeaked, wiggling in her grasp before Juleka pulled a away. She sighed and patted her on the head, before her ring beeped.

 

Ah fuck I left Rose and Adrien in the roof- she realized.

 

”I’ve gotta go“ Juleka said, pointing off, “See you later, Partner, and next time- leave the jumping into animal’s gaping mouths thing to me!”

 

And like that, Panthera Noire was gone.

 

Coming to the Tiger Exhibit, Juleka smiled softly as she eventually found Rose, who when spotting her, looked up at her with excited and beaming eyes.

 

Hand in hand, they continued to explore the zoo, and the day melted away.

 

...

 

”..so yeah! Turns out we had a lot more in common!” Nino smiled, winking at Alya who snorted and shoved his shoulder. Marinette smiled weakly

 

”So I take it you’ve both bonded a lot?” She asked “Are you two a thing or something now?”

 

Her two friends choked on their own pastries, before bursting with laughter.

 

”Oh classic Mari!” Alya giggled, her expression soft as she looked at her, though her warm hazel eyes twinkled with mischief. “More like.. a thing of rivals..”

 

”Rivals?”

 

”Yeah, love rivals.” Nino grinned “Oh and the girl, Marinette? The one I said I had a crush on? Yeah well me and Alya-“

 

”Nino shut up” Alya said through gritted teeth, elbowing him in the stomach before dramatically sighing “I wish I didn’t get stuck in cage though, I missed the entire akuma attack!”

 

”Oh hey guys,” Kim greeted, exiting the bakery, waving at Marinette and then looking to Alya “I actually have some footage, I was hiding with Marinette’s parents during the attack and got front row seats to the whole thing”

 

Alya beamed “Really?! Show me!”

 

Kim obliged and handed his phone over. Marinette smiled as she watched them all, taking a bite out of one of the pasteries from Nino’s bag, before her feelings bled into concern as Alya’s face paled and her excitement turned to horror.

 

”Uh.. Alya? You okay?”

 

The blogger whipped her phone and began to dial a contact, her face chalky and pale as she tapped her foot on the ground impatiently before the call opened up and she shouted into her phone-

 

“DAD YOU ATE LADYBUG?!”

 

She choked on her pastry.

 

 

Notes:

Alya’s bi but she’s really gay for Maribug man, who could blame her. Rip DJWifi.

Juleka and Rose spying on a date while also discretely on a date sounds like something they’d do

Anyways, sorry for the wait I hope you liked it

Chapter 17: Evilillustrator

Notes:

Skipped Mr Pigeon as said in the chapter, didn’t think it was.. ehh.. extraordinary in anyway.. sorry

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

“Hmm..” Nathaniel grumbled

 

Juleka looked up from her bench, she didn’t hang out with Nathaniel all of the time— he was more of Alix’s friend that her’s, but they made time to chill out sometimes, especially after Mr Pigeon where he and Alix helped her and Rose with their steampunk hat. They didn’t win, but it was funny to watch Adrien sneeze from the hat Marinette gave him.

 

She scritched the cat that had wandered over to her behind the air, blinking slowly at him before turning back to Nathaniel who was a scribbling and erasing intensely as it settled on her lap.

 

”What’s wrong?” Juleka asked, tilting her head. Nathaniel yelped, His cheeks flushed a bright pink as he held his sketchbook close to his chest.

 

”N-Nothing.!” He sputtered. Juleka rolled her eyes.

 

”Oh sweet Nathaniel- lost all of his brain cells the moment his eyes fell on precious Marinette” She teased. Nathaniel huffed, looking away shyly

 

”When did you get so snarky?” He asked sourly.

 

”The moment you became so tease-able” Juleka replied, and maybe when I got the magic cat ring.. she thought, as she casually brushed the hair out of her face, tapping him on the knee “Come on- show me”

 

Nathaniel huffed, passing the book over “Fine..”

 

Holding the book delicately in her hands, she looked down at the drawings he made. Lots of body poses, a few random doodles, but the main drawing in the smack dang middle was a large drawing of Marinette.

 

That is.. Marinette posing romantically with a super hero version of Nathaniel. It looked they a rough draft, and turning the page, revealed a short comic strip. It was.. actually really good. Too bad she’s the actual hero in this situation.. I mean sure Plagg won’t confirm or deny.. and I could be wrong this entire time but... 

 

She cringed

 

”...Sorry Ms Bustier I was just.. uh.. innnnn the bathroom! The bathroom! Yes! That!”

”For twenty minutes?”

”..Yes.”

 

”...I was feeding my.. uh.. hamster.”

”What hamster?”

”It died.”


“I have to go!”

”Go where!?”

”Uhh uh- p- uh- bathroom!”

 

She sighed

 

Oh these hopeless idiots..

 

”Is this what you were hiding during Rogercop? When they were trying to look through bags?” She asked, handing the book back, as she didn’t want to make him more uncomfortable. Nathaniel scratched the back of his neck awkwardly

 

”Y-Yeah.. didn’t want them to see..” He mumbled sheepishly. Juleka shrugged, as she scratched another stray behind the ear, smiling as it purred. A black stray, with wide green eyes that reminded her of Plagg. This one came around often.

 

“It’s really good,” She said “Are you ever gonna confess to her? Get a date for your birthday?”

 

Nathaniel’s cheeks flushed a bright pink. “N-No.! Probably not.!” He squeaked, before sulking, hiding under his red bangs as he thought about it “She doesn’t like me..”

 

“Probably cause you don’t talk to her” Juleka drawled, as another cat sat in her lap. Nathaniel huffed.

 

”I pine from a distance.” He reasoned, fidgeting with his pencil as his eyes narrowed.

 

”What a shame.” Juleka snorted, another cat curling near her thigh.

 

”You do the same with Rose!”

 

The goth rolled her eyes, “I pine right next to her— there’s a difference”

 

”Not really I—“ Nathaniel paused as he looked at her “Uhh.. Juleka?”

 

”What?” She asked

 

He pointed at her lap and she looked down, to see that five more cats had been added to the pile. She sighed exasperatedly.

 

”God dang it.” She mumbled

 

“I’d say your a chick magnet but that’s the wrong animal isn’t it” Nathaniel mused. Juleka rolled her eyes, chuffing you have no idea..

 

“Go back to drawing before I throw a cat at you” She hissed

 

...

 

Her eyes trailed the classroom, tapping impatiently on the desk. Juleka had been practically pulled away from her Rose privileges during science class by Miss Mendeleiev.

 

If she was transformed, she felt like her tail would be lashing uncontrollably and her claws would be scraping uncomfortably across the table. Perhaps she was already doing that second part now actually.. as she looked down and saw that her nails were already imbedded in the wood.

 

At least she was stuck with Nathaniel, which was better than nothing really. Her eyes glanced to the side as she shared friendly eye contact with him. He was finishing up his comic strip from yesterday, and to let her watch, his sketchbook was more open out to the both of them.

 

However that didn’t stop Juleka from looking over every so often to check on Rose.. who would either be working or meeting her gaze with a friendly smile. Focusing back to Nathaniel’s drawing, she wondered about her own crush..

 

Rose seemed to like Panthera Noire a lot.. and while she was excited at the time.. Plagg’s words seemed to finally settle in again. Rose liked Panthera. Not her..

 

I wanna tell her.. but it’ll do more harm than good.. she thought to herself, leaning on her shoulder, maybe if I can.. no that’s wrong too.. dating her as Panthera Noire is putting her in equal amounts of danger. Plagg said I can’t.. And if she thought I was taking advantage of her emotions—

 

Nathaniel! What are you drawing?!”

 

Juleka and Nathaniel shot up with surprise as they looked up at Ms. Mendeleiev staring down at them. Panic spread through her as she glanced at the red haired boy and the teacher

 

“Wha, wha—“

 

“These artistic endeavours are clearly why you are failing science!” The science teacher spat, holding up the paper and staring at with disdain, before dropping it on the table again.

 

Juleka’s eyes narrowed, nails somehow sinking deeper into the table. Bitch..

 

“I'm sorry...“ Nathaniel murmured. If looks could kill, Alix would’ve murdered the whole room by now. Juleka could practically read the ‘Don’t you dare mess with my friend’ look off of the pink haired girl’s face. Perhaps she too was making the same expression.

 

Ms. Mendeleiev pointed to the door “You go march yourself down to the principal's office and show him that chicken scratch! Then you'll be really sorry!”

 

Nathaniel flinched, and gathered his materials, going down his walk of shame. Her heart sank for her friend, before he suddenly tripped over Mylène's bag, dropping his sketchbook he crashing into the floor. Her eyes widened as Chloe grabbed it.

 

“Ooh! Look, Sabrina! It's him as a superhero! And look who he's saving! It's Marinette!” She said loudly, as the ginger girl curiously looked over and giggled

 

Marinette’s eyes widened and her jaw went momentarily slack, Alya and Nino glancing over with quirked up eyebrows

 

“Uh-“ The fashion designer sputtered

 

“Wow Dupain Cheng! He's totally crushing on you!” Chloe sneered, a smirk growing on her face.

 

Nathaniel’s face darkened to a bright red as she snatched it out of her hands, glaring at her “Gimme that you—“

 

“Enough! Nathaniel, go!” Ms Mendeleiev shouted, resulting in the red haired boy to yelp and scamper out. Catching Chloe’s eye, Juleka have her a cold glare, which at least made Chloe shift uncomfortably for a moment, before shrinking more in shame when Adrien did the same, crossing her arms.

 

Her eyes passing by the rest of the class, she looked back at Rose, who was looking worriedly at her. She gave her a soft smile, before she faced back at the front of the class, her nails digging deep into the wood as she stared at the concerned face of Marinette. I’ve got a bad feeling about this..

 

...

 

Working with Alix was.. fine. It was fine.

 

Maybe she was just being huffy because she didn’t get to see Rose much. God I sound obsessed. Am I obsessed? I don’t want to be obsessed.

 

Alix was cool though, and she shared the same thoughts she had. Sucked that they both had to work alone together though, third member of their project was supposed to be Nathaniel. But he was.. wherever he was.

 

”I’m pissed off that Ms Mende-somthing did that to Nathaniel. Fuckin’ bitch.” The short skater girl hissed, as she slumped into her chair. “I swear, I’m gonna.. ugh. I can’t think of anything right now.”

 

”Probably for the best” Juleka mumbled, playing a bit with her hair as she stared down at her multiple books. She glanced through the book cases and shelves, until her eyes caught onto a specific table. “When do you think Chloe and Marinette are going to explode?”

 

”Huh?” 

 

Juleka simply pointed as Alix lazily turned around, before groaning.

 

”I’m guessing it like.. five minutes? Oh, Chloe brought a hat out. Oh they’re glaring at each other now.”

 

”At least Marinette’s biting back.” Juleka shrugged

 

”Only took her five years.” Alix snorted, leaning on her shoulder.

 

”And a friend.” Juleka added, her voice softening a bit. We.. wow we really did not help Marinette out did we.. but.. what could we do? Go against Chloe? She thought And that’s exactly what Alya did and she’s fine.. damn..

 

“Sabrina looks like she’s dying on the inside.” Alix said, clicking Juleka out of her thoughts “I can’t read lips, but like, I’m pretty sure.. Marinette is fighting for Sabrina’s honor.”

 

”Sounds like Marinette,” Juleka smiled. Sounds like Ladybug.

 

”Sounds dumb to me,” Plagg hissed under the table. “Ginger Girl just wants to follow someone.”

 

Juleka rolled her eyes as she shoved him back into his pocket.

 

”So for the project do you—“

 

And then a giant hair dryer burst into the library.

 

...

 

Juleka had.. no words. Just no words. At what she was seeing.

 

Okay so to catch up, she pretended to run away with Alix out of the library, grabbing Chloe and Sabrina on the way, they got caught in the rush, Juleka told Sabrina and Chloe to stick together, before she slipped out the window, transformed, and jumped back inside.

 

And now, riding on top of a giant, car sized, floating hair dryer- as if the thing was some kind of bull- was Ladybug.

 

Oh. It’s gonna be one of those days. Is it.

 

”Aw fock it all to hell.” She hissed under her breath. She shouted, “Oi! Partner! You good up there?” 

 

”A LITTLE BUSY!” Ladybug yelped, as she struggled to wrangle the thing with her yo-yo, “COULD USE SOME HELP!”

 

”Meh, she’s good up there.” Juleka waved a hand, as she looked up, and spotted a familiar face “Oh balls.”

 

Grabbing ahold of her baton and extending it, she chucked it like a javelin towards Nathaniel’s directions, barely missing him be an inch. The hair dryer shattered to pieces like a broken code, as an akumatized Nathaniel stood up.

 

”Shit!”

 

”After him!”

 

Leaping on top of a table, before jumping up onto the higher ledge, Juleka found herself slamming into a wall of glass mid air, before falling against one of the bookcases, bouncing off, before plummeting towards the ground with a painful slam.

 

Achingly looking up, she felt a few books fall on her as she slumped down backwards again, wincing.

 

”Please have cure heal this.. please have cure heal this..” She prayed, as her bones ached with pain.

 

Ladybug scampered towards her, “Panthera are you okay?”

 

”I’m fine!” She bit out, pulling herself up. She winced, “Where’d.. where’d Nathaniel go?”

 

”I don’t know, but we clearly, he has a few possible targets,” Ladybug said, “Come on-“

 

Stopping by the science lab, they found it in shambles, Ms Mendeleiev screaming about her ruined classroom— the two heroes  nodding to each other, as they made their way to the Grand Paris.. where a pacing Sabrina and a bored looking Chloe were found. Her eyebrows furrowed.

 

“..So- I heard it’s Kurtzberg.. according to a little birdy that someone humiliated him in class today,” Juleka said slyly, eyeing Chloe before her gaze fell on Sabrina- who was tapping her phone insistently. Meanwhile, Ladybug was just awkwardly shifting away from and glaring at a distracted fangirling Chloe. 

 

Peering over at Sabrina‘s phone- she realized she was calling Marinette. Juleka glanced between Ladybug and the ginger girl and realized the brain numbing complexity of this. Time to be a good friend, she groaned to herself as she spoke out loud-

 

“He’s probably after Marinette too, sense he has a crush on her.” Juleka said, as all the eyes in the room spun to her. Trying not be to bothered by it, she looked to her partner “Ladybug- why don’t you check her house? She might be in danger and unable to do anything! Like leave her home.. or work on a school project with Chloe and Sabrina.” She said carefully, her ear twitching.

 

Sabrina and Ladybug looked up, a new fear taking over the ginger girl’s face and an expression of realization going over Ladybug’s.

 

“Oh my gosh! Marinette could be in trouble right now!” Sabrina exclaimed, looking down at her phone “I wasn’t even thinking of that!”

 

“I suggest you guys hold off on that group project for now.” She glanced at Sabrina who was still looking expectantly at Chloe “All of you.“

 

The ginger and blonde squeaked and Juleka held her short smile.

 

“Take it as a break or perfectly timed procrastination for a good reason.” Juleka said smoothly, as she stared at Sabrina who nervously smiled, before nodding back to Ladybug

 

“I’ll hold down the fort here, so call me if you find her! Annnd if she’s safe- she can call these two galls and tell them when she’s able to work with them again! She’s not the kind to slack, even with an akuma attack, but because of this specific one being after here..” She said, flipping her hair as she pretended not to see the way Marinette blushed under the mask.

 

“I hope I don’t freak her out with all these calls..” Sabrina murmured, while Chloe was strangely quiet this entire time. The red hero then paled a little in a bit of concerned realization.

 

“Wait.. h-how did you know about that?” Ladybug sputtered at Juleka. The goth shifted uncomfortably a bit, searching for an excuse quickly before she quickly smiled

 

“Eyes and ears everywhere Partner. Again- if she’s not safe- call me- and we’ll figure something out.” She said, before pointing out “Now go, wouldn’t want our beloved Bakery Girl to be hurt by Nathaniel would we?”

 

”I- Okay” Ladybug said, nodding awkwardly “I’ll.. I’ll uh.. be back!”

 

She quickly swung off the building as Juleka sighed, leaning back on her heels. Flicking open her baton she opened up her text messages, which conveniently connected her normal phone’s contacts.

 

Alix: Where r u??

Juleka: Trying to follow the akuma, this is the dopest shit ever

 

Technichally a lie, sense she was just chilling a few feet away from Chloe and Sabrina. But it was good enough. Right? Right.

 

Alix: well i mean

Alix: yeah

Alix: this is actually kinda dope

Alix: Nathaniel got such cool powers

Juleka: right? Idk where he went though

Alix: want to work on the project?

 

Shit, Juleka quickly tapped her screen

 

Juleka: eh, nah, let’s just wait for when LB+PN fix him so we can all work on it- cram I guess?

Alix: sure why not

Alix: don’t die

Juleka: I’ll think about it

 

She sighed with relief, but the moment of peace didn’t last as Chloe’s voice took her attention

 

”So like.. we don’t know how long Ladybug’s gonna be so.. if we’re not working on anything.. what do we do?” The blonde said. Juleka started blankly

 

”What do you mean?”

 

Chloe rose an eyebrow, shifting a little sheepishly as she twirled part of her hair around her finger ”I mean.. you’re here right? We might as well do something fun?”

 

”That sounds suggestive.” Juleka deadpanned, making Sabrina snort as Chloe then froze in her tracks and turned bright red

 

”I MEANT WATCH A MOVIE OR SOMETHING YOU STUPID MANGY CAT!” She squawked. Juleka laughed for a bit, before slipping away from them, as she began to wander around the suite.

 

She had never been in such a room so gaudy, flashy, and over the top as this. Her ears flattened slightly. It was both so loud and so.. quiet.

 

Empty.

 

Sure- like- it was filled with numerous things. But there didn’t look to be anything that just.. mattered?

 

In contrast to her own home, the Liberty was cluttered. Things organized is chaotic symphony. Her ma wasn’t a hoarder, she threw out trash when she needed to, but she kept everything she could. Every memory that meant something to her. And Juleka and Luka did the same. They made sure everything on board had a story to back it up, and if it didn’t, they’d do something with it so that I could. Things meant stuff to them.

 

But.. Here? She couldn’t tell what was asked for, and what was just.. given. It all looked the same. She couldn’t see Chloe in.. anything that was here.

 

It wasn’t until she walked pasted a small vanity mirror that she found something that seemed.. treasured. Taped on the mirror, she stumbled across the school park photo, and glancing over that area, which was now Chloe’s bed room, she found a few other things.

 

A worn down teddy bear, she’d expect to be replaced if it wasn’t special. A ladybug(like the animal) plushie. And a small photograph wedged next to the school photo. A selfie of a much younger Adrien and Chloe, with a beautiful woman with soft green eyes and an oval shape behind them and reaching forward, grinning with them as she took the picture.

 

Looking more at it, she could also see Adrien’s father in the background, standing a little ways near Mayor Bourgeois. There was no one Juleka could recognize as Chloe’s mother. They looked barely five years old.

 

Juleka glanced back at Chloe and Sabrina, who were just chatting in the Lounge area. Sabrina nodding to whatever Chloe said as the blonde huffed about things she couldn’t really hear. 

 

A messy knot of concern, bitterness, sympathy, and confusion sat in her chest. She wasn’t sure how to feel.

 

She looked around the soft pink room one last time, before she placed the photograph back to where it was and exited. Closing the door behind her, Chloe finally took notice of her again.

 

The blonde’s eyes widened as her head swerved from side to forward

 

”Where did- when did you- when did you get in my room?!” She sputtered

 

”Did you not notice her literally walk away..?” Sabrina asked, raising an eyebrow before squeaking as Chloe growled at her. Juleka shrugged

 

”Eh, was just exploring.” Juleka said plainly, waving her off as she shoved her hands in her pockets “So how about something to watch? Got a suspicion Ladybug will be a while.”

 

The grin that stretched across Chloe’s face made the goth regret everything.

 

...

 

”—DID THAT DUDE JUST FUSE HIS DAUGHTER WITH HER FUCKING DOG!?” Juleka shrieked

 

”HAHAHAAHAAHAH-“

 

”YOU ARE FUCKING.. HEINOUS!”

 

“HAHA EAT SHIT!”

 

”..DUDE I-“ Why did she do this. Juleka could’ve said no. Juleka had headphones in her pocket. Why did she agree to watch anime with Chloe fucking Bourgeois and Sabrina mother fucking Raincomprix? Why? Why. Why why why why.

 

As if the gods had gave her mercy, Juleka felt her baton buzz as she fumbled for it, slipping in her claws as she opened the call up.

 

”’Ello?”

 

Panthera you there?”

 

Juleka waved Chloe and Sabrina off as she exited to the balcony to keeping speaking ”Sure am! And not only that! I’m fuckin’ traumatized that’s what!”

 

“Right, sorry. I shouldn’t have left you with Chloe and Sabrina, I know Chloe can be a bit of a an overbearing fan but—“

 

”No not that! Chloe just made me watch Full Metal Alchemiet, Ladybug! Fucking episode five! How could you fucking do this to me!?” Juleka hissed

 

”I- what? Never mind- Look, I need you to protect Marinette” Ladybug said, somehow posting a picture onto Juleka’s baton “Cute isn’t she?

 

Juleka rose an eyebrow “Yes partner, I know who Marinette is, you have a crush in her something?” She smirked.

 

God I love my job she thought as she heard Ladynette- Maribug- no- whoops- Ladybug let out a strangled wheeze

 

”No! I just- forget it- Look- Evillustrator wants to go on a date with her and she said she will, as long as he doesn’t hurt Chloe, so you can leave Chloe now.” Ladybug said exasperatedly “While he’s distracted- I need you to go and take him down.”

 

”Right.. and what about you?” Juleka smirked, leaning on the railing, as she heard Ladybug fumble for an excuse

 

Uh uh- I’ll be on a.. very important secret Mission. Don’t worry about it. I’ll catch up with you later. Can I trust you?”

 

Juleka opened her mouth to answer but suddenly.. she felt.. scared.

 

Marinette is gonna be Marinette for this.. I’ve covered for her before but if I mess up she won’t be able to do anything to save my ass.. and then and then—

 

“You can count on me, BossBug! Won’t let you down!” Juleka said, before clicking her baton off. She sighed, rubbing the space between her eyes as she peeked back inside the suite.

 

“What the heck was that?” Chloe asked, Juleka waved at her

 

“Oh nothing, duty calls though.” She answered, extending her baton as she gave a sweeping bow “Thanks for your hospitality ladies, fortunately our favorite tomato isn’t focused on killing you anymore for now, so I’ll be going to save Bakery Girl from her killer date.” She jumped onto the railing “Stay out of trouble ‘Kay? Later!”

 

And Juleka leapt back through the city, the sun setting as the world bathed into pinks. But first.. she had one stop to make.

 

...

 

She wouldn’t lie. This was pretty romantic. If only the brainwashed evil super villain undertones weren’t there.

 

Juleka sat perched above the bridge as she watched the literal Nathanette ship sail beneath her. Like some miniature garden. The ‘perfect’ scene.

 

Sorry buddy. She thought apologetically as she softly landed onto the boat. Making barely a sound as she crept through, as she spun a very specific tool in her hands.

 

Finally. All of the handcuffs that Mum stole from the times she almost got arrested are coming to good use, instead of awkwardly looking like my mum’s into stuff, not that she probably isn’t.. she thought, as she slipped onto the higher deck where Nathaniel and Marinette sat.

 

She had to admit. Marinette made a good actress during the situations that called for it. How she was also the worst liar she had ever met at the same time? Juleka had no idea.

 

“Can I draw out something for your birthday?” Marinette sweetly asked, glancing at Juleka with a hint of brilliance in her eyes that Juleka could see always shine in Ladybug’s

 

”..that would be amazing.” Nathaniel said softly, a nervous smile playing across his discolored face. Happy birthday buddy. Juleka thought, as she watched from the shadows.

 

Marinette held the tip of Nathaniel’s pencil.

 

Come on.

 

Her hand inched down to the middle.

 

Come on..

 

She held the pencil in her hands.

 

Just a little bit more.!

 

Nathaniel handed the tablet over.

 

Now.

 

Juleka sprung forward, Nathaniel yelped as she slammed into him and pinned him against the ground, locking the handcuffs around his wrists.

 

”Never imagined I’d be doing this!” She said through gritted teeth as she wrestled against Nathaniel’s body. Juleka slammed her fist against his cheek as she turned to Marinette “Shit- Marinette run!” She shouted, as the fashion designer quickly scrambled away

 

Nathaniel somehow managed to grab ahold of her baton and extended it across her face. She yelled with pain, clutching her now bleeding nose as he managed to wiggle out of her hold.

 

”Bitch!” Evillustrator growled “You made Marinette betray me! What did you do?! Seduce her? Manipulate her? She was supposed to be mine!”

 

”God you’re a fuckin’ arsehole akumatized..” Juleka snarled through gritted bloody teeth, charging forward as Nathaniel got his cuffed hands out from behind him. Grabbing him by his paint brush looking hair, she yanked his masked face into her knee, only for him to smash her across the head with his knuckles.

 

Juleka’s legs wobbled underneath in her as she spat out blood against the concrete beneath them. The ship swaying them from side to side as she whipped around, smacking him across the face with her belt before bringing her heel against his body.

 

Watching him skid to the side, she heaved for breath. Wiping her wrist across her mouth, she could feel blood dripping from her nose.

 

”Right, so ‘re you gonna call it a day yet or what?” She asked slyly, he growled.

 

”Never! Not until Chloe, Marinette, and especially you pay!” Evillustrator roared, and suddenly, the boat underneath her feet was gone. He had somehow grab her by the collar, pick her up and-

 

Juleka was thrown head first into the river, slapping into the water painfully. The sound of her splash echoing in her ears as she was swallowed by pitch black. It was too sudden. Too quick. Too cold.

 

She knew how to swim but she was scared, no, terrified- as she sunk further, deeper, into the murky pitch dark water. 

 

Even with her feline eyes, she couldn’t see anything.

 

She thrashed around.

 

She knew that all she needed to do to escape was to swim up. Up. Just fucking swim away.

 

But Juleka couldn’t move. And suddenly she was a child again. With no powers. With no experience. With no thoughts. Sinking in the water again. Her breath giving away as her screams only filled her lungs with more of the icy burning cold water, that she coughed up in gallons.

 

The shadow above, the one who threw her over, staring at her. With eyes that blocked out the sun, and a voice whom she, for many years, attempted to forget.


”Julie Julsies.. why don’t you do me a favor.. disappear.”

 

Fear, ironically, is what brought her up again. As her lungs began to burn and the sounds of yelling broke her from her trance.

 

She was Panthera Noire. She was in the river. She was fighting one of her friends who had become a horrible asshole super villain because he was humiliated in class, while she left her other friend, who was her super hero partner, to fight him all on her own.

 

Juleka finally decided to kick and break through the water. Even if She couldn’t tell what was up nor down anymore. Just swim. Just swim. Just swim.

 

Gasping for breath, her throat burned with pain as she clung to the side of the ship. She could feel her shivering body quaking, her nose still bleeding and her cheek aching with pain. She couldn’t stop shaking.

 

”Snap out of it.. snap out of it.!” She snarled to herself, as she dug her nails deep into the wood, and began to climb out of the freezing water. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. She took in a deep breath and counted up to ten, before exhaling. Trying to steel her nerves.

 

Peering over the deck, Juleka saw Nathaniel, fighting against a chained down Ladybug. Good. Marinette made it. The two were awkwardly wrestling against each other, their hands clambering for the akumatized pen as it slipped from their fingers, fumbling onto and through the other’s.

 

Juleka, still soaking, hauled herself over the deck. Heaving.

 

”Partner.!” She yelled, and Ladybug looked up immediately. Using her foot, she stepped on Nathaniel’s fingers and kicked the pen over to Juleka, who gingerly picked it up and smashed it to pieces. 

 

Off to the side, Juleka picked up Ladybug’s yo-yo and handed it over, as she clumsily swiped the butterfly out of the air.

 

”Get ready to grab Nathaniel, I think this boat isn’t going to be here in a moment.” Ladybug said, taking out a small rubber ball from her belt and throwing it up in the air as miraculous cure was cast

 

”Thanks for the warning.” Juleka muttered under her breath, as the two(+plus groggy and confused Nathaniel) leapt off the disappearing boat.

 

Finding herself not only on solid ground, but also completely dry and healed again, Juleka shakily sighed with relief.

 

”Thank god..” she whispered

 

”Hey.”

 

Juleka flinched as Ladybug put a hand off her, she whipped around, only to meet the soft kinda eyes she knew were Marinette’s. She took in a deep breath and smiled.

 

”Hey, Partner” She greeted “How was your secret mission?”

 

”Are you okay?“ Marinette asked, making Juleka a blink with surprise. The goth was silent, just looking around. Nathaniel was struggling confusedly, still in hand cuffs, the clouds had finally parted, she was dry, she was safe, and the stars.. the stars were beautiful,

 

”I’m fine.” She said weakly, her ears flattening “Im- Yeah, I’m fine.”

 

She wasn’t sure if she convinced Marinette or not, as they were soon distracted by Nathaniel’s confused voice

 

”Uh.. hey uh.. can someone get these off?”

 

...

 

”..well. Considering one of us got akumatized for about 2/3 of the time we were supposed to be working on this.. I think we did pretty good!” Alix said, patting Nathaniel on the back “You alright?”

 

”Y-Yeah I just..” His shoulders slumped “I’m.. not one of those.. ‘Nice Guys’.. am I?”

 

”What?! Where the hell did you get that idea?!” Alix squawked in confusion 

 

“Nowhere! I mean- somewhere yes! I just.. yesterday.. with evillustrator.. I was a real.. dick” He said, “Marinette must really hate me now..”

 

”Hey Nathaniel.”

 

He squeaked, looking up as his face turned bright red

 

”M-Marinette! Hi!” He said, his voice not unlike as kettle as he waved at the blue haired girl “U-Uhhh hey uh- I’m so sorry about.. y-yesterday uhm.. I-if you don’t want me to- I mean- If you don’t ever want to talk to me again I-I totally understand I—“

 

”I realized you didn’t get anything for your birthday”

 

He blinked with surprise ”H-Huh?”

 

Marinette smiled softly at him and placed down a small white box on his desk


“Sorry it’s late, I didn’t know your birthday was yesterday, so.. it’s a happy late birthday gift!” Marinette smiled, before waving goodbye as she began to walk away “See you Nathaniel! Happy birthday!”

 

The red haired artist just stared in surprise as he looked down at the box. Slowly opening, a small smile spread across his face as he gazed at the box of pastries, spelling out ‘Happy Birthday Nath!’- with one cupcake having a smiley face on it.

 

Alix grinned beside him, as the two enjoyed the treats before class started.

 

...

 

”Huh” Juleka said, as she paused the screen “Riza Hawkeye is really hot.”

 

 

Notes:

I’ve been rewatching too much FMA recently, sorry

Rip Juleka
Rip Nathaniel

This was fun to write

I think I accidentally wrote Juleka with a slight accent..? At some points in the chapter..? Blame Anarka. Scottish Pirate lady. Juleka probably picked up a little of it somehow.

So. Huh.

..HOPE YOU LIKED IT! I think Nathaniel has got anger issues, not a bad thing! I love Nathaniel! I just think he’s just genuinely got anger issues. Like. Remember Reverser? And Evillustrator jut reacting to the moon? And to Marinette fighting against him? Big yikes,
Still love him though.

Okay
It’s late
I’m tired
I think I’ll reread this in the morning and find billions of spelling errors, please tell me if you find any, love y’all

Jules is afraid of drowning

We’re here to die and have fun

Chapter 18: The View from the Catwalk

Notes:

The vibes for this episode is My True Self from Beastars and Whatsup Danger from Spiderverse

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Juleka opened her eyes, her fingers digging into her bed as the gentle sway of the ship gave her no amount of relaxation as the burning amount of energy within her couldn’t be held in anymore. She sat up from bed and shoved on her boots, put on a warm jacket, before quickly and quietly heading out the door.

 

With Luka’s soft sleeping body not even aware of what she was doing, Juleka climbed on top of the deck of the liberty, opening up her phone, she breathed in the cold Paris air as she checked the time.

 

Four am.

 

”Plagg wake up, I’m going on a run” She said, tapping at the black blob in her jacket, he let out a snort, before grumbling awake.

 

”Right now?” He groaned

 

”I can’t sleep, too much energy” Juleka whispered urgently, Plagg sighed.

 

”Right..” The kwami nodded tiredly “I expect wonderful cheese in the morning” He yawned

 

”Sure, Plagg- Claw’s Out” Juleka sucked in a breath as the vibrant green magic crackled over her, filling her chest with a lightness she grew familiar too. Looking down at her transformed hands, she took a moment to assess herself. Peering over the boat, she could see her reflection in the water.

 

Transformed, she looked so.. different.

 

Changed.

 

Like an honest to god different person entirely.

 

She wasn’t.. Juleka. Not like this.

 

It was the same face, same body, but those eyes were not hers. That smirk didn’t feel like hers. There was always a feeling of immense strength that she felt like didn’t truly exist. It was just.. 

 

She flipped her hoodie over her head, letting her cat ears stick through the holes, as she backed up.. before springing off the boat.

 

Flying through the air, her eyes narrowed as she felt the wind push against her face, before she landed into a heavy roll against the top of an apartment building. Not loosing her momentum, she immediately ran from her position, running like an animal before lifting back to her feet.

 

Jumping across the buildings, she let her instincts take over as she bounced up and over the many vents and chimney tops. The soft tapping under her shoes creating an almost rhythmic beat as she skittered and climbed above the streets.

 

Seeing her line of buildings ending, she licked her lips before extending her baton in front of her, and let herself be launched into the air again. She let it keep growing, and growing, until she was impossibly high and she let it stop.

 

Juleka let herself fall in silence, her hands casually stuffed in her pockets before she landed on top of the tv station. Looking down from the edge, she could see Paris. Stretching far and wide into the darkness of the night, the city glowing.

 

”Huh.. what a view” She mused to herself, as her heart pumped in her heaving chest.

 

Dangling her feet off the edge, she looked down at the cement below her. Twisting. Nauseating. If Juleka smashed into it, regardless of supersuit or not, she’d be a scattered blob of blood, bones, and exploded organs.

 

Definitely a slightly image for people to wake up to if she wasn’t careful.

 

Taking a deep breath, she stood back up to her feet and faced away from from the edge, before stepping backwards and letting herself plummet off the roof, her head diving to the ground head first.

 

Dropping through the air, she could see her reflection in the side of the window. Reaching out, she stopped herself from touching it, surely knowing that if she did, her finger tips would probably be scraped clean off from the speed she was going down at.

 

Her hair fluttered in the wind, and she felt a sense of calm fill her, as she looked at the inverted upside city behind her.

 

She was like a drop of water returning to the river.

 

The river..

 

It always was falling wasn’t it?

 

Falling from heights, falling from grace, falling from the grasps of danger, falling in love.

 

Rose likes Panthera, but I like Rose, and I’m Panthera, but I’m also Juleka

 

She slowly flipped through the air, letting her arms spread wide like an eagle as her feet pointed to the cement.

 

Extending her baton last minute, she jammed it from the side of the building to the end of another building, swinging on it, before sliding down it like a zip line, jumping back onto a separate building at the end and slinging the baton back onto her belt, before bolting forward again.

 

Adrenaline pumping through from her arms to her lungs, to her lungs to her heart, to her heart to her head. Light as a feather. Alive. 

 

Does she love me? Or does she love this.. persona?

 

She spun around a flag pole, flipping backwards onto a fire escape with a loud clang. Clambering up she reached the top and leapt on top of a street lamp. Her chest heaved, muscles aching with a feeling of adrenaline and pumping energy as she stretched lazily on top of it.

 

Sweat rolled down her forehead as she wiped her palm across her face, slicking her dark locks back.

 

”Jeez..” She mumbled, before bending down and leaping back on top of a chimney again. Turning around, she could see the Eiffel Tower in the distance.

 

Should it matter?

 

She dipped down into the streets and just began to walk for once. Passing by the multiple soon to be opening shops. She stared at her reflection, wondering if the face that was staring back was a stranger.

 

I feel like it should. It always feels like it does.

 

Juleka’s ears pricked up as the mewls of a cat reached her ears, looking down she could see a small ebony kitten at her heels with wide green eyes, picking it up, she let it climb onto her shoulders as she continued her walk.

 

What is Panthera Noire to me? Is she me? Is she just a reflection? Is she fake? Does it count if Rose likes her but not me?

 

Juleka stood near Rose’s house for a few minutes before moving on. 

 

What if I do end up dating Rose? What if she hates me for this? What if I let her down? I can’t tell her who I am. Not until Hawkmoth is gone, and I don’t know when that is.

 

Finally, She found herself in front of the Eiffel Tower. At the peak of the horizon, she could see a flicker of orange glow rising above the edge of the world.

 

After setting the small cat down, she slowly climbed to the top of the monument, and let herself hang from the edge again, dangling her legs and watching the stretching sunrise.

 

The world was paint in swirling golds, reds, and blues. The dark meshing clouds pulling back slightly, as if making way for nobility. Like it was a beacon breaking through the darkness.

 

What am I?

 

Juleka snapped a quick picture of it from her baton, before taking in the cold smokey Paris air. Her hair fluttered softly in the wind, feeling nothing but as light as a feather. Feeling nothing but the sunrise and the cold.

 

She sighed, leaned back on the rail as the rush of energy and adrenaline from before slipped from her fingers.

 

“Good morning.” Panthera Noire said to no one.

 

...

 

”Hi Juleka! Did you hear? Apparently Panthera was running around town this morning!” Rose beamed excitedly, as she danced around her gothic friend.

 

”Yeah, I heard” Juleka smiled softly “I wonder why”

 

”Who knows! She’s so mysterious!” Rose said dreamily, as the two quietly walked to class, the blonde doing her best to stay close, her hearting skipping every time their knuckles drifted against each other.

 

The goth chuckled, brushing a hand through her hair “Yeah, she is.” She said softly.

 

Rose nodded, as they opened the doors to class. Looking up, she could see the morning sun fall on Juleka’s face, making her seem to glow. She smiled.

 

”Yep”

 

They walked in.



Notes:

This entire chapter was just Juleka having the zoomies.

Marinette being woken up by Panthera running through them city: mother fucker-

Chapter 19: The Puppeteer

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Juleka liked children. She thinks they all deserve to have good childhoods so they can be more tolerable teens. Her heart melts when kids run up to her and give her hugs when she’s Panthera.

 

But she also hates children at the same time. Immensely. They were loud, they creeped her out sometimes, they’re so.. grabby? And the immediate fight or flight mode that goes off when for some reason she’s babysitting children, and one of them is crawling on the ground and meowing is exhausting.

 

“Why does she get to have it though?!” Manon whined “I want one Marinette!”

 

Where was she right now again? Right. Marinette was babysitting while also finishing up some toys she was talking about making a few days ago. Rose requested a Panthera one (much to the fluttering of Juleka’s heart), and Marinette agreed to give it over once it was done.

 

So after Rose and Juleka traveled up the stairs, Rose talking to a woman who was joining them, apparently the kid Marinette who was babysitting’s mom- they awkwardly watched this scene play out as Marinette handed the toy over to Rose.

 

“Manon sweetie no, Marinette made it for her friend” Nadja pressed exasperatedly, rubbing the space between her eyes. Juleka made her home on a separate chair, leaning a bit tiredly on her elbow. 

 

”But I want Panthera Noire! I want it I want it!” Manon cried.

 

”I mean- she can have it if she wants..” Rose started weakly.

 

To be honest, Juleka was personally torn.



One side of her, was herself, who just wanted the kid to stop screaming her sensitive ears out and wanting Rose to just hand it over, but the other side was her miserable dumb pining romantic side who wanted Rose to have the doll because of the thoughts of Rose having a plushie of her hero persona made her heart flutter a little.

 

Both were angry and gay so you know- what was she gonna do? Kick a child? No. That’s wrong. The really ticked off side of her totally wanted to though. 

 

”Manon no, that’s final. Say bye bye to Marinette, we need to go now” Nadja repeated sternly, before sighing, turning to them. Nadja handed over the ripped Ladybug doll to the fashion designer “Sorry Marinette, you too girls, we’ll see you later, thank you for Babysitting again.”

 

Manon cried as she was picked up and hauled away, the three girls standing awkwardly as Rose held the plushie in her hands.

 

”I feel awkward having this now.” Rose admitted.

 

”Sorry guys..” Marinette slumped, Juleka just quietly patted her on the back.

 

”No worries Marinette.” Rose smiled “You did such a  good job on this!”

 

”Thank you! I tried to include as many little details as possible like-“ 

 

As the two started to ramble, Juleka heard a puttering up the stairs, turning around, she saw the young girl back in the room, holding her purple backpack in her hands and looking like she had her hands stuck in the cookie jar. Or.. well.. bah.

 

”Manon?” Juleka said, causing the others to turn around.

 

”I forgot my bag!” Manon squeaked, but sticking out of it was a Ladybug doll.

 

”You heard what your mom said” Marinette stated, gently pulling it away “And besides, I’ve got to fix her arm, Manon”

 

”Pretty please!” Manon whined, her eyes widening and looking not unlike a whimpering puppy. Rose squealed, putting a hand on her heart. Juleka rolled her eyes a bit. The face doesn’t make the please more convincing..

 

She glanced at Marinette who looked like she was combusting Oh damn it Marinette pull it together..

 

”Ohhh.. not the baby doll eyes! Fine.. You can have Lady WiFi” Marinette sighed, handing the small Alya doll over defeatedly. The savior of Paris everyone. Juleka thought, before glancing at the doll in Rose’s hands and her sidekick Panthera Noire..

 

Manon stared at the doll for a moment, before glancing at Rose “Can I have Panthera?”

 

“U-Uh..” Rose squeaked, holding the doll closer to her, luckily she was saved by Ms Chamack’s voice again, calling Manon off. Juleka turned to Marinette, a sly smile drifting across her face.

 

”Wow Marinette, she sure had you wrapped around her little pinky finger.” She teased, she could hear a small giggling somewhere in the room that was quickly shushed. Her eyes glanced around briefly before looking back at Marinette, who was blushing.

 

”Oh come I- Ugh! I couldn’t say no! Not to those-“

 

”Baby doll eyes?” Rose smiled, tilting her head as Marinette huffed “I almost couldn’t either, don’t worry Marinette!”

 

”Here’s hoping there isn’t a baby doll eye wielding akuma out there, or else we’d be all screwed wouldn’t we?” Juleka smirked, giving a knowing glance at Marinette before snapping her fingers “Oh right, aren’t you catching a movie with Alya soon?”

 

”Dah! I completely forgot! Thanks Juleka! I’ll see you guys later!” Marinette squeaked, as she scrambled out of her chair and out the door. For a moment Juleka swore she saw a blur of red go into Marinette’s bag, and while one side of ear wanted to dismiss it, she had a feeling she knew what it was.

 

Juleka turned to Rose “Okay, let’s go then, shall we?”

 

The blonde beamed, holding the plushie happily in her hands “Of course!”

 

Maybe this was gonna be a good day.

 

...

 

That didn’t last long.

 

”I win I win!”

 

Wow Juleka sure was fucking hating this already whoop de doo!

 

Standing in front of them on a hovering WiFi icon and a satchel at her side and the Panthera Noire plushie in hand was Lady WiFi, except.. well..

 

“I win! I win haha! I got the doll!”

 

Yeah no, that’s not how Alya talked, not even as Lady WiFi. The akuma had sped past them, snatching the plush in Rose’s hands and stopping to cackle near moments ago. Record time to how fast Juleka wanted to punch someone before.

 

”Give Rose the doll back!” Juleka yelled, placing herself firmly between the akuma and Rose

 

”No! It’s mine! Mine mine mine!” Lady WiFi whined, stamping her foot against the small purple logo. Throwing a tantrum. “I won! I won’t fair a square! It’s mine!” She yelled, before zooming away again

 

”Probably Manon?” Rose guessed

 

”Definitely.” Juleka deadpanned, before turning to her quickly, she felt herself grip tightly to the ring around her finger already. It was time. Now an escape.“Run and get Ladybug or Panthera? I’ll follow Lady WiFi.”

 

”What?! But Juleka-“ Rose started, grabbing onto Juleka’s hand “What if you get hurt?!”

 

“I’ll be fine” Juleka smiled, her fingers intertwining with Rose’s “And we can trust Ladybug can’t we?”

 

Rose’s expression softened, and she nodded, her hands letting go as they quickly ran in opposite directions. Juleka’s muscles burned as she did her best her keep up with Lady WiFi, but holy shit that girl was fast.

 

”We could just transform!” Plagg complained. Right.

 

Swerving into an alleyway, she let herself transform “Claws out!”

 

Immediately as the magic coursed through her lungs and body, she leapt up and bounced against the walls, slamming into a roof top before pouncing across the city scape again. Her eyes trained like a predator to its prey on the zooming Lady WiFi. Or.. uh. Baby WiFi.

 

Stopping at the edge of the houses, she watched as Lady WiFi scaled up the Dupain Cheng Bakery and slipped through the window.

 

Nodding to herself, she let her instincts take over as she jumped off the building, landing against the street, before hopping onto the roof- just in time as well, as Ladybug herself landed down next to her.

 

Making a brief meeting to each other, they slammed open the window and rolled through. Lady WiFi looked up from the desk, her hand in the middle of reaching for the Ladybug doll.

 

”Manon! Stop this please!” Ladybug shouted, swirling her yo-yo around in a circle.

 

”It’s Puppeteer! Your miraculouses are gonna be mine you goody two shoeses!” Puppeteer shouted through Lady WiFi,

 

”Sure kiddo, whatever you say, you’ll actually have to win first though.” Juleka snarked, her tail lashing.

 

Puppeteer growled, reaching for her phone. Throwing out multiple pause symbols, Juleka slammed her staff against them, sending them flying to different directions of the room.

 

”WiFi signal?” She asked

 

”WiFi signal” Ladybug confirmed, Juleka nodded and flipped backwards out the window, before making her away across the roof. The pink sunset falling sky painted over her as she skittered around quickly.

 

”Cataclysm” She hissed, her claws bubbling with the dark energy as she slammed it into the WiFi box. Watching it rust, decay, and fry.

 

Not wasting time, she ran back just in time to see a confused Ladybug standing over a broken phone with a doll in hand, and a very pissed of Lady WiFi holding a giant chest over her head.

 

”Oh shit Alya has to be fucking shredded!” Juleka gaped, before yelping as that took Lady WiFi’s attention, making the akuma chuck the case at the window. She fell backwards off the roof, landing clumsily on her feet.

 

Looking up, she saw as Lady WiFi threw herself out the window as well and bounced across the city, satchel in hand. Ladybug landed next to her, giving her a small punch on the shoulder

 

”Hey! You can’t say that kind of language in front of children!” She scolded

 

”Sorry! I keep forgetting she’s being controlled by.. wait a minute did you capture the akuma?” Juleka asked

 

”There was none!” Ladybug said “Puppeteer has to have it though!”

 

Juleka sighed “Right, I’ve got a bad feeling about this..” she blanched “H-Hey speaking of which, did you so happen to grab the Panthera doll.?”

 

”No sorry, only the Ladybug.” Ladybug said, holding it up. Juleka groaned, rubbing the space between her eyes. This isn’t going to end well.. she thought and if I get controlled by Manon.. I really don’t wanna hear the stuff I say with her holding the strings..

 

A beep interrupted the two as Juleka looked down at her ring, her eyes narrowed.

 

”Shit.”

 

”Language.”

 

”I’m using all the language I have before we fight- speaking of which- I have to transform back.” Juleka said a bit sourly, before looking back up at Ladybuh with a smile “Make sure she doesn’t make me a puppet, would you partner? You know how much I love to be in control.”

 

”The internet disagrees” Ladybug deadpanned

 

”I don’t understand how people think.” Juleka cringed, before taking out her staff “I’ll call you when I’m ready, tell me where we’re headed.” 

 

She quickly pole vaulted away, leaving Ladybug to her devices.

 

After quickly retransforming and skipping quickly to the tv station, Juleka found herself creeping through the halls. The prickling anxiety that at any moment she could be taken over starting to hit its toll on her.

 

Seeing Ladybug at the door, she quickly hustled towards her, reaching a hand on Ladybug’s shoulder.

 

”Hey-“

 

She yelped, being suddenly yanked forward and pinned against the floor- Ladybug turning to look at her with a fiery and intense gaze— Juleka paled

 

”Still me! Still me!“ She sputtered, slowly being released. Juleka sighed with relief, rubbing her arm. “Ready to go?”

 

”Sure, we’ve got to be quick with this.” Ladybug said

 

”I’m going to yeet the child” Juleka deadpanned

 

Ladybug gave her a look “Panthera, no.”

 

“We have to!” Juleka said, waving a hand “Don’t worry, I wouldn’t actually yeet a child if they weren’t akumatized..”

 

“We.. we can’t hurt her. No.” Ladybug said quietly, her tone.. almost scared , before backing up “We’re going in- on one.. two..”

 

They slammed down the door. Juleka’s hand was already on her baton and chucking it through the air, as she sent it flying towards Puppeteer’s head, nailing her right in the forehead and making her fly back in pain- she watched as her doll fell to the floor, mere moments away from being controlled.

 

”Panthera!” Ladybug squawked

 

”It worked!” Juleka retorted, quickly scooping up the doll and staff back in her hands.

 

Puppeteer spun back, her eyes wet with angry tears.

 

”No no no I’m supposed to win! I’m supposed to win you bullies!” She cried, stamping her foot down in the air “Beat them beat them!”

 

Suddenly the doors behind them opened, and strutting out of it was Rogercop and Evillustrator. Juleka’s eyes narrowed.

 

”Great, my two least favorite akumas..” She muttered, as they quickly scrambled backwards.

 

That’ll change once Ma and Luka get akumatized a voice in her mind said. Her eyes narrowed Yeah well I’m not letting that happen. She swore. But they will. They will and you won’t be able to do anything about it. The voice said again.

 

Her grip tightened on the doll as she slung it around her hip. Are you Plagg? She wondered. Of course not, oh you’ve just got to blame everything on everyone don’t you. Useless piece of shit. Ah. No. Just her own intrusive thoughts. What a Shocker.

 

Not right now.. Juleka cracked her neck to the side ask she forced her thoughts down. I’ve got a job to do, buzz off.

 

Puppeteer let out an ear bleeding shriek as Lady WiFi, Roger Cop, and Evillustrator burst forward-

 

She grabbed ahold of her baton, her grip tightening as her fangs clenched together. Okay, to be honest. She didn’t actually want to hurt a child. This itself was all fucked up. How could Hawkmoth do this?

 

But she was just mad in general. And the sooner Puppeteer was defeated, the sooner she could be turned back to normal.

 

Ladybug shot her yo-yo forward, aiming for the glowing wand in Puppeteer’s hand, only for it to slam into Lady WiFi’s body, which had been thrown in it’s way.

 

”Alya!” Ladybug cried in horror

 

”She’s fine partner, focus!“ Juleka barked, as Evillustrator drew a new phone into existence for the growling Lady WiFi.

 

“We need to separate them from Puppeteer! They’re her meat shields and attackers! She’ll be easier to cure if they aren’t there!” Ladybug ordered

 

“Easier said than done!” Juleka said through gritted teeth, as she dodged away from one of Rogercop’s blasts. Ladybug’s eyes briefly darted around, before she grinned.

 

”Panthera! Could you play some cat and mouse with them?” She yelled

 

Juleka rolled backwards, clanging her baton against an incoming buzzsaw from Evillustrator “What?!”

 

Ladybug didn’t say anything else, just bolting forward and swinging under Rogercop’s legs, her hands clambering and reaching for many materials. Juleka roared with frustration, but quickly ran to cover her.

 

Smacking her staff against Lady WiFi’s head, the two quickly scrambled out of the recording studio, making their way to the sunset glowed roof, the door behind them behind slammed open to make way for the approaching puppets. All pissed off.

 

Splitting up in two directions, Juleka found herself in a chase with Lady WiFi, she cursed to herself- as she flipped off of and around the building, as the akuma drove around her like a speeder.

 

”Give it to me!” She screamed

 

”Well sense you asked so nicely..” Juleka smirked, pulling out her staff and smashing her heels into Lady WiFi’s side, sending the akuma flying off of her small hoverboard and off the building.

 

Spinning around, she could see Evillustrator and Rogercop’s hands swaddled and tangled in a long string of tape. Ladybug meanwhile was running back down the stairs.

 

Right. Okay. So that’s what she meant as in cat and mouse. Juleka thought, as she saw Lady WiFi return on a new hoverboard and Rogercop frees himself from his binds, albeit sticky and still covered in bits of tape.

 

”Alright.” She said, holding her staff protectively in front of the doll at her hip “Who first then?”

 

Lady WiFi burst forward, throwing multiple pause signs in her direction. Juleka flipped forward in the direction of Rogercop, to dodge, before looking behind her and see Rogercop loom over her.

 

Quickly, she took her staff and jerked his aiming blasters to the side, causing a finally free Evillustrator to scream in frustration as his hands locked together. She jumped upwards, dodging another pause symbol that landed at where she stood onto Rogercop’s head, and began to bash her staff into his head.

 

Laughing, as the pause symbol hit him in the face, she jumped off of him, making a clean landing on the side.

 

However the success was short lived as a pause symbol slammed into her chest, causing her body to freeze and her muscles lock in place. Rogercop grabbed her by the scruff and gingerly plucked the doll off her belt.

 

“We got the doll!” Lady WiFi cheered

 

”We got it! We got it!” 

 

Her eyes swiveled around, as the puppeted akumas regained their composures. Handing the doll over the evillustrator, the three ran to the stairs. So Juleka just. Stood there. Awkwardly frozen.

 

Well fuck.

 

Good job failure. You had one job.

 

I did what I could she took me by surprise.

 

You were all too eager to end everything because of just some kid and now Marinette’s going to get Her ass beat 4 v 1 and it’s all your fault.

 

We can trust her she’ll be fine.

 

Oh wow look at the lazy bitch pushing all of the job on the real talented hero here. Marinette’s already so busy already you asshole.

 

Juleka couldn’t move, she wasn’t sure if she was even breathing. Just completely and utterly paused.

 

Was her heart even breathing?

 

She panicked.

 

Nothing.

 

She was scared.

 

How many minutes, seconds, had it been?

 

She felt suffocated now. She wasn’t sure how. She wasn’t sure why.

 

The sun was definitely setting now. Did Ladybug win? Is she winning? Did she cast her lucky charm?

 

Suddenly a wash of ladybugs took over her body. Juleka let out a gasp of breath, as the WiFi logo broke from her body. Her head snapped forward and she rushed down the stairs again.

 

Slipping into a room, she held the lump in her throat before seeing the lovely image of just everything.. fine. Juleka released a sigh of relief.

 

Roger was looking around, adjusting his cap shyly as he talked to Nadja and Alec, Nathaniel was calling on his phone awkwardly on the floor, and Alya and Ladybug were chatting with a sniffling Manon. Alya holding the dolls.

 

Standing quietly at the door, Juleka sucked in a breath. Stepping backwards, she was tempted to leave, only to push herself forward and confidently striding into the room with a bright smile on her face. Shit day.

 

Panthera skipped by next to Ladybug “Well, looks like you handled all of this well!”

 

”Panthera! You’re okay!” Ladybug beamed “Sorry I had to leave you with those three for a while, you bought me a lot of time!”

 

”I still ended up losing.” Panthera huffed, crossing her arms

 

”Yeah! In a 1 v 3!” Ladybug pressed

 

”You ended up against four!” Panthera said, as Ladybug happily chuckled. She felt her grip on her persona drop a bit. “I’m glad you’re okay, Partner. Sorry I couldn’t hold them off.”

 

Alya was staring expectantly at them, her hazel eyes wide with concern and curiosity. She flashed the reporter a Panthera-esk smile and she shuffled herself and Ladybug away and outside, giving a wave at the others, before the two proceeded to jump through the city scape.

 

They made it about halfway across the city, before the last of Ladybug’s beeps rang out and they stopped by an alleyway for her to recharge.

 

Juleka was silent, she didn’t turn to look behind the corner. What if you’ve been wrong this entire time? What if she isn’t-

 

She gave a light smile as Ladybug skipped out of the alleyway in a flash of red light.

 

”You gonna head home?” Ladybug asked

 

”I’ll see, hopefully I don’t get lost.” Panthera smirked, but felt her smile drop, leaning quietly on the wall. Ladybug- no- Marinette gave her a soft look.

 

”Are you okay?” She asked quietly

 

Juleka didn’t say anything. She just.. stared for a moment. “Yeah I’m okay. Just.. one of those days. I’ll see you next time, Partner.”

 

She shot off, landing on a roof, but she was a little too exhausted to run. Juleka just.. stood for a moment. Quietly. She could hear Ladybug’s yo-yo zwhip off.

 

I can’t control anything. Juleka thought to herself. What if one day ma and Luka do get akumatized? What if Rose? What am I gonna do then?

 

She felt her Baton buzz. Seeing Rose’s caller ID on it, she slowly began to walk, answering it as a small smile played across her face.

 

”Hello?” She answered 

 

Juleka? Is that you?

 

”Yeah, it’s me, what’s up?”

 

Oh, uh- you’re voice is a little off, where are you?

 

Juleka blanched a bit, tugging down on her hood “Uh, I must have bad connection or something, I’m j-just walking home. I couldn’t catch up to Alya.. uhm.. obviously.. I’m a-.. a lot slower than I always think I am..”

 

You really ran after her?” Rose asked

 

Juleka paused, realizing she had stopped a little ways across Rose’s home. She tiptoed behind a roof top, looking over and seeing Rose on her balcony.

 

”Well.. I didn’t want you to lose something you liked. You were really excited to have it when Marinette offered it to you” Juleka said, pacing around a bit, her tail swishing behind her “I uh- I’m sorry I couldn’t get it back.”

 

Are you okay?

 

Juleka glanced over the roof again, seeing Rose’s soft expression. Concern.

 

”Of course I am, silly.” Juleka chuckled softly, smiling a bit as she saw relief flood Rose’s face “I uh- it’s nice to hear your voice. I’m glad you’re safe.”

 

Me too. Or- you too? Uh- I’m glad you’re safe too. That’s the words. Yeah.

 

Juleka chuckled ”Yeah. I’ll uhm- I’ll see you tomorrow?”

 

Rose smiled “Always.”

 

Juleka hung up, taking a moment to look back at Rose’s balcony. Waiting. Waiting. For that moment where Rose’s face twists with disgust and relief that the little flea Juleka Couffaine was finally shut up. Before there was none. Just softness bleeding into warmth.

 

Juleka, closing her staff, quietly bounced away. The pattering of her shoes against the roof tops beating like her heart, as the cat hero made her way home.

 

 

Notes:

PUNT THE CHILD

I’m self projecting too much with Juleka- I have complicated feelings with children. And Manon. And.. okay yeah that’s it I just hate children sometimes.

Uh, right, what else is in this chapter. Uhm. Lots of self doubt, intrusive thoughts- damn it I’m still self projecting. I used to genuinely have really bad intrusive thoughts, and, I imagine Juleka does too?

Panthera is usually her without it, but in those moments where those walls break (not come down, break), they are almost crushing and suffocating. I hope I made that.. clear? And.. I dunno, in character.

Chapter 20: The Pharaoh

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text



“So.. it’s his.. grandma right?” Juleka asked, nervously tapping her pencil against her notepad

 

”Yep. And then he had kids with his two sisters.” Alix deadpanned

 

”Ew.” Juleka stuck her tongue out “What was with Egyptians and incest at the time?” She mumbled, before pausing “Uh, no offense.”

 

”None taken. It was super gross” Alix snorted, before motioning her head to the side, before walking away. Juleka followed quickly as she adjusted her bag. “Bastet is pretty cool though. Cat girl.”

 

”Hah.” Juleka snorted “Early Age cat girl.”

 

“Yeah. Basically.” Alix nodded “She was the goddess of like- home, women's secrets, cats, fertility, and childbirth. Or something. I’m like- ninety percent sure She protected the home from evil spirits and disease, especially diseases associated with women and children?”

 

”And what were diseases associated with woman and children..?” Juleka asked, raising an eyebrow. 

 

Alix shrugged “Pfft, I dunno. I’m good at literally anything but like- health and science shit.”

 

Juleka had asked Alix for help on their next history test about Egyptian mythology, along with the hope to catch Alya at some point who she overheard in the halls was going to visit the Louvre. Especially after hearing how she got her hands on Ladybug’s history textbook.

 

That spells disaster.

 

Still, she was more focused on the history schpeel Alix was letting out. How lucky she was to have the small Scholar Daughter as a friend. How unlucky of her however to be stuck with a very snappy Cat Deity in her bag though..

 

”Ah! I remember Egypt!” He purred “Real warm! My Kitten then treated me so Royally! That was the life!”

 

Juleka rolled her eyes as she walked after Alix, I guess I can see that she thought.

 

She wondered what it was like to live like Alix. The girl basically, if not entirely, lived at The Louvre. Surrounded by art. History. Tourists..

 

Juleka found herself lost in her own thoughts before bumping into the shorter girl’s back. Blinking confusedly, she looked up to see a group of people in a new room of the exhibit they hadn’t entered yet.

 

Scrambling for his papers on the ground was a young man looking around his very early twenties, along with a dizzy Nino, slightly ticked off Alya, a chuckling Adrien, and very nervous Marinette who had also fallen on the ground.

 

Juleka’s eyebrow rose as Alix let out a tired groan.

 

”It didn’t break!” The man grinned with relief as he held up a small pendant from the ground, before yelping as Alix made her way over and yanked on his ear.

 

”It would’ve you dumbass! What are you doing with that? Dad told you not to steal ancient artifacts again!” Alix barked. Juleka slipped over, bending down behind Marinette who was still sitting on the ground.

 

”You okay?” Juleka asked next to her ear. Marinette squeaked, practically launching into the air and into Alya’s arms, which made the two girls topple over onto the ground again. Nino pulled himself to his feet, looking a little grumpy

 

”Yeah thanks for asking” He said, adjusting his hat as Adrien laughed. The blonde model reached out to Marinette.

 

”Here, let me help you up Marinette.” Adrien said

 

”O-Oh! T-Thanks Adrien!” Marinette squeaked, as Adrien pulled her to her feet gingerly.

 

Alya huffed, “Yeah thanks Adrien..” She groaned, sitting up on her own before looking at Juleka “What are you doing here, Juleka?”

 

”Oh I was with Alix, I needed help on the History quiz and I figured she could help.” She mumbled, staring a little at Marinette and Adrien before looking back at the blogger.

 

”Alix? How could she help?” Alya tilted her head to the side. Alix stumbled over, looking a little tired as she fidgeted with her watch, the young man’s head stuck underneath her armpit in some choke hold.

 

”It’s cause me and this idiot are-“

 

”Dad! Alix is doing it again!” He yelled, 

 

Dad! Jalil stole the thing again!” Alix immediately yelled louder. The group stared confusedly, before a soft and polite cough was heard behind them. Juleka turned to see a tall man, about mid fifties, fiddling with his hands uncomfortably as he stared down at his children.

 

”Alix, please release your brother.” He said tiredly. Alix huffed, letting go as the young men let out a wheeze, holding the amulet tightly to his chest. Alya and Adrien blinked with surprise

 

”I didn’t know you had a brother, Alix” Adrien noted

 

“I don’t talk about him for a reason..” Alix cringed slightly, as Jalil fumbled messily with his papers

 

”You’re Alix’s classmates, aren’t you guys?” Jalil said “I’m her older brother, Jalil Kubdel. Me and my dad work here at the Louvre. So you guys are into Tutankhamun too? I am. In fact, I’m actually here to-“

 

”Jalil, you had something to tell me?” Mr Kubdel asked, bringing them back to attention, His eyebrow raising.

 

”Right Dad!” Jalil beamed, his voice reaching excitement as the older man walked away. Jalil gave Alix a smug look and scampered after him. Alix groaned, rubbing her eyes as the three watched the two men leave, Jalil’s voice still echoing loudly to them.

 

How.. enthusiastic.. Juleka thought.

 

”Dumbass..” Alix mumbled, looking up at the others “Sorry you guys had to meet him like that. Unfortunately I can’t say he’s not always that bonkers.”

 

“It’s fine. Anyways, Marinette was just about to show us something really cool apparently!” Nino grinned, looking over at the girl expectantly.

 

”Yeah why are we here? You said thus exhibit's got something to do with Ladybug? For real?” Alya asked, looking around

 

”Ladybug? Really? I didn’t know that.” Alix rose an eyebrow. Juleka hummed quietly, glancing at each of them. Looking down into her bag, she could see Plagg staring up at her with a comfortable smile.

 

He simply tilted his head and gave a nod and Juleka smiled, looking back up at Marinette who was sweating nervously on the spot, glancing at her own open bag with a bit of desperation. 

 

And judging by that look, seems like someone didn’t ask their kwami for directions.. not that I did either.. but I did manage to wring out at least some history lessons from the little bugger with the power of cheese.. Juleka thought to herself. I guess Tikki isn’t as easy to bribe?


“Uhh yeah! Yeah it’s over.. there!” Marinette squeaked, motioning over to a papyrus on the wall. Juleka glanced at Alix who just shrugged, and the group waddled over.

 

”Has to do with Ladybug huh?” Alix mused, looking up at it  “Huh, I mean, it could be. I haven’t seen this up close yet sense it’s sort of new. I think dad’s been trying to get it into this exhibit for a while now though, something about it being hard to transcribe? People kinda gave up studying it so they handed it over. Just looks like an old retelling of a common legend though.”

 

“Can you translate any of it?” Adrien asked

 

”Ehh.. not really.. I mean- I know some shit but I don’t know everything! Not really planning to be a historian, Yknow.” Alix said sheepishly “But I guess I know a few things..”

 

”Want me to pick you up so you can’t get a closer look?” Juleka teased, shrinking a bit at the glare Alix shot at her

 

”Don’t challenge me you Sonic the Hedgehog Grape looking Vampire.” She hissed, making Juleka snort.

 

”Alix!” Adrien squawked

 

”Holy shit-“ Nino snickered, Juleka smiled goofily, before looking to the side and seeing Marinette who was frantically talking into her bag. Glancing back at the group she stepped forward

 

”Any rules against messing with the paper for the sake of Ladybug hunting?” She asked, pulling everyone’s attention back towards it

 

”Uh, Absolutely?” Alix scoffed “There’s a reason why it’s out of arm’s reach, god knows Baby Me probably would try and get her grubby hands on everything.”

 

”You came here as a baby?” Adrien asked, intrigued

 

”Buddy, I lived here, as a baby” Alix grinned, starting to reminisce, a habit Juleka noticed the girl seemed to fall into quite often “Used to run up and down through the halls as a little one, my old man even ended up setting up a room in his office with a few cots so we could just stay overnight. For him it was work, but I felt like I was some spy on a secret mission or-“

 

”-I'm telling you, dad, it's right there in the hieroglyphics.” Jalil’s voice interrupted Alix, as the two men pushed their way between the group again. Alix blinking out of her reminiscing to look up.

 

Juleka glanced back at Marinette who quickly closed her bag shut as Alya looked at her best friend again, a weak smile going on the fashion designer’s face- before they all looked back at the rambling Jalil Kubdel

 

“—as you know, the one with the scepter is Tutankhamun, the first. And there, opposite is Nefertiti, his princess.” Jalil said

 

”His grandma.” Alix coughed into her fist, Juleka made a mental note of that.

 

”There are exactly one hundred mummies beside them. She died several years before him, and the sun god Ra took her as his goddess.” Jalil ignored her, pointing up at the picture.

 

”Cause she was his grandma..” Alix repeated, coughing into her fist again. Jalil glared at her.

 

”Alix shut it.” He hissed

 

Jalil..” Mr Kubdel said, 

 

”Found her!” Adrien yelled, they all turned to him. He blushed under the attention, sweating a bit “Sorry I- uh I found her.” He pointed up at the papyrus to one of the lines of text, where a small hieroglyphic was shown- specifically of a particular warrior woman in spots, spinning a yo-yo.

 

”Woah! Check it! It’s totally Ladybug!” Alya exclaimed, pointing at it. Juleka tilted her head a bit, huh I guess it is.

 

”Everyone does have a past to learn from..” Marinette murmured to herself.

 

Alix shoves Jalil out of the way “Woah you’re totally right Adrien! Keen eye! I guess this baby isn’t worthless at all!” She exclaimed, getting a look from her dad as she smiled nervously a bit “N-Not that it wasn’t worthless before! Very very important and history filled.. dad”

 

”Yeah! Nice going dude! You too Marinette! It’s so dope that you found this too!” Nino exclaimed, pushing Jalil out of his way too as they crowded it. Marinette laughed nervously, rubbing the back of her neck

 

”O-Oh it was nothing!” She smiled. Luck is on your side today, partner. 

 

”Fascinating. I hadn’t even noticed that.” Mr Kubdel murmured, adjusting his tie as he stared up at it.

 

“Yeah it’s really cool..” Juleka smiled. Jalil growled and push the group of classmates out of his way again to take up the space, looking more than a little frustrated.

 

”Dad! It’s not just about Ladybug! There’s more to that! L-Look-“ Jalil pointed at the papers “Nobody has ever fully deciphered the hieroglyphics, it’s why we couldn’t get our hands on this baby for so long, but I have! It's a magic chant that needs to be recited in order to complete the ritual! I'm sure of it!”

 

His father groaned tiredly, rubbing his eyes as he began to walk away “Jalil, these types of frescoes are almost always the illustration for a legend. They called it a legend for a reason..” He started


“That's what everyone thinks. But I know it's real. I can prove it!” Jalil pleaded. It seemed Mr Kubdel’s patience was short lived though, as he turned to look down at his son.

 

“Really?” He asked “Exactly how are you going to prove it?“

 

Jalil’s eyes twinkled with wonder as he turned to stare at a small staff on an exhibit table, his hand reaching out towards it, as if it’s presence beckoned him “I just need to get my hands on Tutankhamun's scepter and recite the spell!”

 

Juleka winced, as she saw Mr Kubdel grab into his son’s hand with a sense of slight fury.

 

“Are you serious? Don't even think of touching that scepter. I'd lose my job on the spot. It's a priceless historical object! Not a toy!” Mr Kubdel exclaimed, his voice brimming with anger before he cooled, letting go of his son’s arm as he began to walk away

 

”Dad!” Alix shouted, pushing her way towards them

 

Come on, dad! We have to try out the spell!” Jalil pleaded, walking after him “What if Tutankhamun had found out how to bring people back to life? What if-“

 

Mr. Kubdel spun around to stare at him “Listen, Jalil! That's enough! Get your head out of those papyrus scrolls and focus on the real world! This one!” He scolded, pointing at his son’s chest, before finally, he walked off.

 

The group stood in silence, everyone but Alix and her brother awkwardly holding their breath as they avoided eye contact. Yikes.. Juleka thought.

 

”Jalil I- Sorry about what dad said uh.. you know he didn’t mean it-” Alix started, walking towards her brother. Jalil spun around to glare at her.

 

”Shut up you’re not helping!” He yelled, her voice cracking as he ran away. Alix’s face fell into a scowl, crossing her arms

 

”Ugh I hate it when he gets like this! Forget it then!” She shouted after him, before huffing- turning to the group she sniffled, trying to not look like she was going to cry “What are you guys looking at?!”

 

”Nothing!” They all quickly squeaked. Alix just sighed, her shoulders falling.

 

”Jeez.. and it’s only gotten worse since Mom’s death..” She mumbled to herself, her voice only reaching Juleka’s sensitive ears. Juleka’s face softened as she stared at the pink haired girl, who looked back up at them “Ahem.. right uh.. anyone want some history lessons?”

 

Needless to say, they managed to kill some time despite the earlier tension with Alix leading them around the exhibit with her dry commentary on many myths and legends from Egyptian Lore.

 

”—so yeah, and then they got her really drunk and just kinda.. sucked all the negative vibes out?” Alix said

 

”And that worked?” Nino asked confusedly

 

Alix nodded “Yeah?”

 

”Wish that’s how I worked. Murder a few dozen people, get really drunk, black out, and then some dude just literally sucks out my negative vibes.” Juleka deadpanned, earning a few chuckles

 

”Yeah, and I remember my dad telling me that—“

 

Suddenly a loud collection of shrieks and screams interrupted them, along with the sound of a whistle

 

”Hey you! Get out of here!”

 

They all swerved around to see the source of the terror, and Juleka’s stomach dropped.

 

Striding towards the Egyptian Exhibit like a man on a mission, was a hulking, muscled golden masked man- looking like he popped straight out of a hieroglyphic. His eyes glowing a terrifying blue and his body a shimmering gold.

 

Using this as a distraction however, she discreetly opened Alya’s bag and pulled Marinette’s history book out, slipping it into her own. Thanks Mom for the.. stealing tips.. I guess? Even though you apparently intended me to use this for stealing keys from cops if I went to jail..

 

”Thoth, give me time!” The akuma shouted, his voice gnarled, deep, and distorted, but there was a familiarity Juleka couldn’t place.

 

Jalil?” Alix voiced softly. Ah that makes sense. Juleka thought, as suddenly The Pharaoh’s face glowed a scalding gold, turning into the form of a baboon. Closing his hands together, light flourished between his palms, creating a small bubble to which he threw forward. Slamming into a few tourists and wanderers of the museum.

 

Juleka gulped as she saw their frozen faces.

 

”No time to regret Alix! Run dudes!” Nino exclaimed, as a stream of bubbles launched at them- the group skidding across the ground as they jumped for cover.

 

Juleka watched as Alya already whipped out her phone and began to inch closer and closer- while Nino and Adrien hugged eachother from behind another pillar. Alix meanwhile was at her side, looking pale as a ghost.

 

“Whenever he and dad got into a fight.. I just learnt to let Jalilget all his anger out whenever he stormed off but.. damn it.. are we just not allowed to be angry or sad anymore?!” Alix exclaimed angrily.

 

”I..” Juleka started

 

They yelped as The Pharaoh mercilessly threw the bubbles out of the exhibit.

 

”Get out of here, faster!” He barked

 

”Alix we need to run!” Juleka yelled, grabbing Alix by the arm and pulling her away into another hall which lead to another exit. She kept running until they were completely outside of the exhibit.

 

Skidding to a stop, she gripped tightly to her bag and handed it over to Alix, making sure she felt Plagg immediately dart into her pocket

 

“Give this back to me after the attack, keep running.” She ordered

 

”Where are you going?” Alix said confusedly as Juleka began to strut back towards the exhibit

 

”To see if I can grab anyone else!” She hissed, darting back into the dark hall again. Ducking behind a table of items, and checking to make sure Alix hadn’t followed, she opened up her pocket ”Plagg?”

 

“I’m here! Ugh! That book was squishing me! The day you and you know who actually meet.. she better kneel down and thank us for all we do” He groaned, before grinning widely at her “Time to go apeshit?”

 

”You know it.” Juleka nodded, gripping tightly as her ring glowed “Plagg! Claws Out!”

 

...

 

Jumping into the fray, Juleka managed to pull Nino and Adrien out of the fight before the bars closed in on them, as Ladybug was flung around by Pharaoh- trying to make her way to Alya however, she was spotted.

 

”Alley cat.” Pharaoh snarled “I will have you mummified!”

 

”I’d rather not get my organs stuffed in a jar!” Juleka quipped, jumping backwards and dodging a punch from the akuma, only to be grabbed by the hair. She snarled with pain as Pharaoh yanked her upwards and threw her into a wall.

 

Juleka choked out in pain, before it soon melted away and she refocused.

 

Her face fell as she saw Pharaoh grabbed what he needed, including Alya.

 

”Get your hands off me!” Alya yelled as she was thrown over Pharaoh’s shoulder. Ladybug was at Juleka’s side and helped her back up. Her tail lashed with rage

 

”Hiding behind an innocent bystander? Weak!” She hissed 

 

“I am far stronger than any of you!” Pharaoh barked, turning to the bars “Sekmet give me strength!” He roared, his mask turning into a lion’s.

 

”Maybe we should get him drunk.” She deadpanned, earning a curious glance from Ladybug “What? I know mythology.”

 

That humor was short lived though as Sekmet slipped through the warped bars, and before Ladybug and Juleka could ran through, he slammed them back into place, locking them inside.

 

“Alya!” Ladybug cried, as the blogger was hauled away by the looming akuma. The red haired girl looked up, fear shining in her eyes before a nervous wild smile grew across her face.

 

”Make sure to check on The Ladyblog!” She shouted, winking- before disappearing from their sight. Ladybug slammed her hands against the bars, looking up at Juleka

 

”Panthera!” She shouted

 

”On it!” Juleka hissed, “Cataclysm!“

 

In a quick slash of her claws, she sliced down a large portion of the bars, causing it to decay, rot, and rust- before dissolving into dust.

 

”I don’t trust the idea that we’ll finish this before my timer is up, I’ll be back.” Juleka said, holding up her already beeping ring, before skittering off.

 

...

 

Alix shoes squeaked against the tile as she continued to run through the museum she called home, breathing heavily as she lugged Juleka’s bag on her shoulder- doing her best to avoid the floating bubbles.

 

Thoth wasn’t even a god of time what the hell!

 

Skidding to a stop at a corner, she found herself falling against the ground from the sheer weight of Juleka’s bag.

 

”God.. what the hell is in this?” She wondered, about to reach into the bag- opening it up slightly she could see one of their history books. “Our history books?” She murmured, about to open it when suddenly a body smacked into her.

 

Alix fell against the ground

 

”H-Hey watch it!” She barked, shaking her head dizzedly

 

”Sorry kid! Was just trying to find an emergency exit- know where one is? I was just trying to enjoy a day here and suddenly some Banana looking ass started flinging bubbles around.” She said, though she didn’t sound convincing. The figure’s voice was a matured woman’s. Giving a short glance at her, she had a large coat that covered much of her face. Although those eyes..

 

“Uh, down there” Alix said, pointing off to the left. They look.. familiar..

 

”Thanks kid” The woman nodded, before running off. Alix shook her head What was I doing again? She wondered, watching the woman go, as she shoved the book back into Juleka’s bag and kept running. Whatever, where the heck is Juleka?!

 

...

 

After a quick recharge, they met back on the roof of a near by building. Juleka’s stomach twisted as she stared down at the hundred of mummies wobbling around in ankh shape. Alya in the middle with Pharaoh.

 

Next to her, Ladybug was watching the livestream.

 

So uh, why the beef with Ladybug? Something have to do with her being on this cool.. parchment.. papyrus.. thing?” Alya asked, poking at the floating paper, her phone jostling beside her with a semi clear view.

 

Yes.. my enemy Ladybug.. she prevented me from resurrecting Nefertiti 3,300 years ago.. but I won’t let her do that again.. not today!” Pharaoh’s voice hissed

 

T-Three thousand what..?” Alya sputtered. Juleka watched as Ladybug face palmed, rubbing her eyes a bit.

 

Juleka grinned slyly “Well partner, you don’t look a day over 1,600” 

 

Ladybug shook her head, looking to glare at her “Oh shut.”

 

The ground rumbled beneath them as suddenly the louvre shook with golden light- Pharaoh’s voice echoing across the area

 

”Oh, sacred Ra, god of the sun, I Pharaoh, offer to thee a pure soul! The sacrifice for the return of Nefertiti!” He shouted, as suddenly a beam of light blasted towards the sky, opening what looked like a black hole “I bow to you, and present this gift with my mummies! In company, we pray to you the safe return of princess Nefertiti! Awaken, Nefertiti! Awaken!” He chanted

 

”Awaken, Nefertiti.. Awaken..!” The mummies changed after him, their voices dull, dead, and almost comically zombie like.

 

”This is all kinds of fucked up.” Juleka spat, stretching a bit as she leaned back on her heels, glancing at Ladybug. Her eyes narrowing a bit. What could she be thinking.. “Any plan, partner? Before our favorite Louis Lane gets-“ she made a ‘krrrk’ noise and ran a thumb over her throat.

 

”I’m thinking!” Ladybug said, thinking for a moment before snapping “Got it- you love being a distraction don’t you?”

 

Juleka glanced at the army of mummies, sighing “To things with brains..” she deadpanned

 

”Good enough, I’ll take on Pharaoh” Ladybug grinned, giving Juleka a small scratch on the head, causing the goth to unknowingly purr “Thank you kitty you’re the best-” She cooed, before swinging off. Juleka huffed, her ears flattening.

 

”Sure.” She said, rolling her eyes “Honestly why do I even try..” She wondered, glancing down to the army mummies “Alright, one woman army- me against a hundred. Let’s do this-“ Juleka said, before dropping down onto the cement.

 

...

 

You know. It was actually going fine! Until.. like.. it wasn’t. And Alya was slowly being ascended into the giant void mouth in the sky. And Marinette began to clearly panic under the suit.

 

Juleka glanced back.

 

“Partner!” She shouted, trying to snap her back into focus

 

”Lucky Charm!” Marinette shouted, a spark of red light shining above them before a large bag fell into her hands. Juleka rose an eyebrow staring at it.

 

”..right well, you’re not putting me in that.” Juleka deadpanned, pointing at the Ladybug costume “Actually, I wonder if people actually sell those..”

 

”Wait- I’ve got it! Follow my lead!” Ladybug said, her face lighting up- pulling the copy earrings from the bag and tossing them to Juleka, before she stared up towards Pharaoh “This offering isn't good enough for Nefertiti!” she shouted

 

”Oi!” Alya’s voice echoed from above 

 

”Tch! Don’t even try! It’s too late Ladybug! The ritual has already begun! You cannot stop what must be done!” Pharaoh snarled.

 

”Set Alya free and sacrifice me instead! Wouldn't that be the sweetest revenge? 3,300 years later! After all, I'm the one who kept Nefertiti from you all these years!” Ladybug yelled, extending a hand. Juleka rose an eyebrow. What is she..

 

Pharaoh looked thoughtful, humming with a growing pride “It's true that you make a much more precious offering than this mortal..” he muttered, before nodding “Horus, give me wings!”

 

His face turned into a Hawk and up he and Ladybug went as Juleka struggled against the mummie’s grip. She could barely see what was going on. Alya was plopped down on the ground at some point, and Juleka watched as suddenly Pharaoh dive bombed towards the ground, only to look up with shock as Ladybug shone above them all. Like a goddess.

 

Miraculous ladybug!

 

Juleka smiles as a wave of ladybugs flew past her, Alya waddling over as Juleka passed her phone back to her. Looking to the left, she could see a fallen Jalil Kubdel on the ground, clutching the staff, papers, and amulet in his hands shamefully.

 

”Alya!”

 

The two turned to see Nino and Adrien barreling over, both pouncing onto Alya to give her a hug.

 

”Are you okay? We both totally got mummified dude!” Nino exclaimed

 

”Really?! You just missed me almost getting sacrificed!” Alya said

 

”WHAT?!” Adrien yelped.

 

Juleka laughed to herself as the group bustled to themselves along with the many innocent bystanders looking around confusedly.

 

She looked over to see Ladybug slide down the Louvre, just in time to see Alix and Mr Kubdel bursting out of the doors, Alix nearly stumbling over herself as she and Mr Kubdel ran to see the eldest son.

 

”Fuck what were you thinking?!” Alix exclaimed angrily, though her slightly shaking voice betrayed her “Shit- Jalil Are you okay?”

 

Mr Kubdel held his son’s shoulder tightly ”Jalil, son, I’m so sorry. Whatever I said.. I.. I just wanted the best for you are you okay..”

 

”Dad.. Alix I.. I just..” Jalil started, his face falling “I just- I thought- maybe if magic was real.. like Ladybug and Panthera Noire.. maybe we could bring back.. maybe I could’ve.. I could've... I just wanted... mom... to... to..."

 

”Oh son..” Mr Kubdel brought his son into a hug and Alix joined, wrapping her arms tightly around her brother.

 

Juleka just quietly watched, her eyes trained on the soft family sitting on the pavement. Perhaps the slightest envy sparking in her chest. Ma loves me. Luka does too. So why do I.. her ears flattened against her head as she smiled weakly

 

”I’m gonna dip, good work today, Partner. Pound it?” Juleka said, lifting up her fist invitedly. Ladybug smiled and gave her a fist bump, going her own way off. Juleka sighed, silently slipping back into the Louvre. 

 

Dipping around into a dark hallway, she felt her transformation break off of her. Juleka sighed, her shoulders slumping a bit. Plagg just stared at her with his wide emerald eyes and she weakly smiled.

 

”What’s up stinky?”

 

”You okay?”

 

She blinked with surprise “Yeah?”

 

”You look sad.”

 

Juleka blanched a bit, looking down at her boots.

 

”Is it wrong.. to be jealous of them?” She asked quietly. Plagg looked around a bit, before slowly flying towards her and rubbing his face on her cheek

 

”Not at all kitten, come on, you’ve got to get your Lady’s book.” He said. Juleka nodded and pulled herself off of the wall and out of the Louvre- seeing Alix talking to her brother and dad, off of the floor now.

 

”Alix?” She called out, the short girl turning around

 

”Oh there you are, here’s your bag” Alix said, handing it over “What happened to you?”

 

”Didn’t make it far.” Juleka shrugged “Glad you guys are okay.”

 

”Diddo, glad we got to hang out” Alix smiled, “We should stop getting interrupted by akumas though.”

 

Juleka laughed “For sure.. see you at school?”

 

”Sure, see you around, Juleka.”

 

The goth nodded and proceeded to walk home. The cool Paris had bristling through her hair as she passed by the Dupain Cheng Bakery and knocked upon the door, despite it being closed- Sabine opening it and greeting her with a kind smile

 

”Oh! You’re Juleka aren’t you? We were just closing up, is there something wrong, sweetie?” She asked, Juleka nodded and reached into her bag,

 

”Marinette lost her book” Juleka mumbled “Got mixed up with it during class” she lied “Could you give this to her?”

 

”Oh! I remember her squealing about this! Thank you so much Dear!” Sabine beamed, making Juleka’s heart feel fuzzy. “Would you like anything to eat?”

 

”Uh-“ Juleka’s mouth felt dry before she weakly smiled “A.. lemon cake would be nice. If you have any of those.”

 

A small flicker of thought went across the woman’s face before she smiled “Of course dear.”

 

Juleka walked home with the taste of bitter sweetness in her mouth, and a bag not as full.

 

 

Notes:

OKAY I WAS WATCHING THE EPISODE AND THEN JALIL STARTED TALKING AND HOLY SHIT JALIL IS EDWARD ELRIC
That, and @symphonicscream ‘s Jock au is what inspired that ending with the Kubdel family.

Hope you liked it

Chapter 21: The Barber

Summary:

Juleka’s no good, very bad day

Featuring Totally Not Sweeney Todd

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Caline.. believed she was a good teacher.

 

”Alix please stop strangling Kim.”

 

She believed that.. she had at least a tiny bit control of her class..?

 

”Akuma alert!” Alya yelled, her alarm beeping wildly as she was already barreling out of her chair “GOOOOING TO THE BATHROOM!”

 

”Alya you- and- never mind- she’s gone.” She sighed, turning to her students “Stay inside class”

 

Caline was smart, Caline was tired, Caline was also one of the only classes at school who’s entire list of stufents hadn’t been akumatized at least once yet, and every day someone’s voice raised or a look of anger and annoyance flashed across one of her kids’s faces, that was another turned and expecting head.

 

”Uh Madame Bustier? Can I go to the.. bathroom?” Marinette squeaked. Celine rose an eyebrow and sighed, nodding as the fashion designer ran out of the room as the teacher already opened her computer and pulled open the Ladyblog.

 

Im wondering if she has constipation issues.

 

As the class clambered around she checked her student’s website, seeing yep, her least self preservational kid out there in front of the action followed by Ladybug swinging into frame.



Some guy with blades for hands, looked like a pastel version of Edward Scissor Hands. Or Sweeney Todd. Which was a weird thought. Her eyes burned a little looking at it. Ugh.

 

She was a little worried for Ladybug’s safety, girl looked barely age sixteen and yet she was dodged the flying blades with critical ease. Perhaps that was just the teacher in her though..

 

Caline took a slow swig of coffee “I wonder if his bits are uncomfortable from those latex tights..” she mumbled before a soft cough from the back of the room followed by one of her quietest student’s spoke up.

 

”Uh, Madame Bustier?” She looked up to see Juleka, “Uh- Marinette’s been out a little while, do you want me to go check on her?”

 

Personally, Caline was a little concerned for her Class Representative’s habit of taking long bathroom breaks. She’d guess periods, but this was too often. Looking back at the soft spoken girl Caline smiled

 

”That would be nice, thank you Juleka.” The quiet gothic girl smiled and nodded, quickly shuffling out of the room while Rose watched her walk out with a bit of a longing gaze.

 

Caline sighed, leaning back in her chair. Young love. Can’t believe they’re not dating. She thought, though, she had seen relationships as wonderfully lovely looking as that cut short in a few weeks time. Especially in high school. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen..

 

Seconds later, Panthera Noire ran across The Ladyblog’s screen, wild grin as always which was cut short as she barely ducked under a low swipe from the akuma’s blade.

 

Caline sighed into her drink as she checked the time. If she knew any better she’d assume Juleka wasn’t looking for Marinette, that, or the Fashion Designer flunked for whatever reason.

 

She always did look a little jostled after the akuma attacks- though Juleka always seemed to be surprised that Marinette was back in class before her, saying she genuinely looked.

 

Part of me wants to guess that they’re making out secretly but that seems too far fetched and utterly ridiculous. Especially with Juleka’s not very secretive crush on Rose.. Caline thought.

 

She sighed again, checking the time once more. I’m not gonna be able to get through History today am I?

 

...

 

Juleka slammed against the ground, rolling several feet as she let out a weak wheeze of pain.

 

”Shit..” she growled, looking up as the akuma looked over her with the intent of murder in his eyes. She didn’t want to be spending her fifth period getting her guts stabbed out of her body by some.. fucking.. Edward Scissor fuck looking ass..

 

“Now kitty.. Who wants a shave..?” He said cruelly 

 

Scratch that! Definitely Sweeney Todd.

 

She coughed, feeling a bit of blood trickle down her cheek “Do you by chance know what the Dies Irae is?” She quipped

 

Juleka flipped backwards, barely avoiding the akuma’s long blades stabbing into where her face once laid. Shit shit shit shit SHIT-

 

Using her baton she launched herself upwards on top of a roof, her tail lashing as the Barber snarled at her. I guess it’s just a music nerd joke then.

 

“Perhaps I’ll scalp you first then rip open your throat!” He growled, the gleaming metal at the ends of his hands clinking against the ground.

 

”Jesus that’s graphic, there’s kittens watching sir, watch your mouth.” Juleka hissed, before leaping over him into a light post, yelping as he cut it in half. Jumping to another one her head swiveled around.

 

Where is she?!

 

She hadn’t seen Ladybug since the beginning of the fight. All she remembers was the poor girl in red being launched into the side of a building, her cheek cut and bleeding as she couldn’t dodge quite quick enough.

 

Juleka rushed her off to prepare some Lucky charm, which brought her to the now.

 

The cement in the street pull of scrapes and destruction. Juleka let out a grunt of pain as she hadn’t jumped quick enough, tumbling into the ground as she rolled out of the way of the falling lamp post.

 

The sparking of metal and broken electrical wires crackled off from the akuma. His neon pink eyes causing Juleka’s stomach to twist. Flipping over to her stomach, she jumped backwards off her hands, sending her feet straight into his jaw and herself back onto her shoes.

 

Grabbing back onto her baton she sent it downwards, her eyes narrowing as she saw it so easily blocked. Jumping away from him, seconds away from getting a blade to her throat- she deflected another flying pair of scissors that nearly nicked her on the side.

 

The akuma let a scream of frustration, pouncing forward at her, his entire arm turning into a long blade. He slammed it into the ground as she barely stumbled backwards in time. She gulped as she saw her own face reflected in it.

 

She adjusted her hair a bit staring at her reflection.

 

He didn’t find it funny.

 

Juleka yelped in fear, as she barely grabbed his hand in time to stop him from sticking the scissors in his claws into her gleaming emerald eyes.

 

She yelled with pain, her voice shattering in agony as suddenly a horrible pain exploded in her knee cap- as he smashed his own boot against it. She heard a horrible crack.

 

Juleka grimaced, feeling the pain numb as she tried to summon her strength. She attempted to shove him backwards and slap his blades away- only for her leg, the one he had kicked, to give out from beneath her. The pain enflaming again as she struggled to breath through the agony.

 

She did her best to drag herself backwards, but it was up to nothing as he yanked upwards on her long black locks until she was looking up at him. Her hands desperately clawing at his grip.

 

Panic flooded through her, as she suddenly felt a cold metal drift a bit across her exposed throat, but every muscle in her body was frozen.

 

The Barber’s breaths were unsteady, giddy, unhinged.

 

”On second thought.. you’ll be easier to work with if you don’t move at all..” He purred, beginning to line the blade across her throat.

 

Juleka’s eyes widened with fear, as her hands grabbed onto his blade- doing her best to push it away from her neck as she struggled to move her legs again. She thrashed around, before managing to take a hold of his grip completely and jab his blade holding hand into his own shin.

 

She slipped out of his hold and leaning backwards, she slammed her steel toed boot into his groin.

 

He let out a shriek as suddenly she everything went white, and she felt the wind pick up and she was off of the ground. Opening her eyes she could see a panicked Ladybug holding her.

 

They landed on top of a roof. Looking over, she could see a large pack of flour in one of Ladybug’s hands, which most of was on the Barber right now- and a few other things her dizzy vision could make out.

 

”Is that a.. mini fridge? Shit- I think he dislocated something..” She winced, touching her knee before trying not to scream “ssHHHHHHHHH- fuck- okay! Okay okay I’m fine okay- fffufuuuuck shirt pants shoes okay..”

 

”Are you okay?” Ladybug asked a bit frantically “I’m so sorry I was gone I just I just- I needed..”

 

”It’s fine...!” Juleka squeaked, “I don’t think I can do any acro-cat-ics right now though.” She said wincingly.

 

”..Did you seriously just say that?”

 

”I did.”

 

Ladybug sighed, rubbing her eyes a bit before nodding assuringly to herself “Right, it’s okay. I can work with this. Give me your belt? I have a plan, but we need to get you on the ground so you can break something.”

 

Juleka nodded, glancing at the still bleeding cheek “Aren’t we not supposed to get hurt by these kinds of things?” She asked

 

Ladubug blinked, wiping the blood off her cheek with her thumb “No.. but I guess it’d ruin the whole blade vibe to the akuma..”

 

”Let’s hope it’s only this one..” Juleka hissed, using her pole as a crutch as her knee burned with pain. She bit back the tears in her eyes as she nodded to Ladybug “Just tell me when.”

 

”Got it.” Ladybug picked her up by the side and slipped Juleka into an alleyway, before pointing forward “Wobble your way to the broken light post over there, and once he drops in, you’ll know.”

 

”What’s the object?” She asked

 

”The scissors on his breast pocket. The one he hasn’t used yet.” Ladybug said, before whizzing off.

 

Juleka hissed with pain as she struggled to even lean on her leg, so awkwardly dragging herself across the cracked ground, she looked behind the broken light pole to watch as Ladybug spun around the akuma like a trapeze artist.

 

Good job dumbass now she’s doing all the work again. You’re weak. You’re faking it. Get up. Juleka clasped a hand over her mouth as she tried to stand, a cold yet burning pain shooting through her body as she tried to bend her leg. No no nope nope uh uh nope. Yeah no.

 

A loud sudden bang echoed to her warm drums and when she turned she could see the akuma dizzily stumbling around, on the ground was the mini fridge with a large face like dent in its side. Brutal. Love it.

 

“Panthera! If you would!” Ladybug smiled, as he stumbled towards the cat hero. Juleka smiled

 

”Don’t mind if I do!” She said, extending her pole gingerly to his feet as he tripped on it and cracked his face right into the floor. Juleka swiped the scissors out of his breast pocket “Cataclysm”

 

They crumbled to dust and she watched the violet butterfly flutter out from the ashes before being swiped out of the air

 

”Miraculous Ladybug!”

 

Juleka sucked in a breath as she felt the wave of ladybugs flutter past her. She could feel a soft almost humming feeling in her leg, as the pain became nothing.

 

Giving it a nervous move, she smiled as she found it perfectly fine. Though her eyebrow rose a small bit as she could feel it ache a little.

 

Must be nothing.

 

”Good work today partner! You saved my butt there!” She smiled. Cause you’re so weak her brain told her, as she held up a fist. Ladybug smiled and they bumped fists “Pound it!”

 

However her expression fell as she stared at Lady- Marinette’s face

 

”Hey it.. why’s your cut still there?”

 

”Hm?”

 

Juleka placed a hand on Marinette’s cheek. The long gash that was given to her by the akuma, though shrunken and of course healed into barely the size of a paper cut, it still existed. Her ear twitched, as her eyes narrowed.

 

”What the..”

 

”Its nothing!” Marinette smiled, putting on a heroic smile as she waved it off “I’m a tough cookie”

 

A slow bubbling fear started to grow deep within her “P-Partner do you not heal from the attacks?”

 

”I do!” Marinette yelled a little quickly, before her voice softened “I-I do.”

 

Ughh..”

 

The two turned to see the purified man on the ground. Though his expression was still sunken in and sour. He glared a them.

 

”What am I doing here.. what are you two pests looking at.?” He weakly spat

 

”Right, uhm-“ Juleka glanced between him and Marinette who only smiled. She looked back at the victim “Are you okay, sir..?”

 

”Leave me be.” He snarled, and just stomped off

 

”Right. Right. Yeah. Okay cool.” Juleka awkwardly said, earning a laugh from Marinette. The cat hero turned back to her. Worry stirring within her chest “Partner I-“

 

Their miraculouses beeped.

 

”Oh! I’ve got to go! Sorry Panthera!” Ladybug squeaked, whizzing off. Juleka’s face fell as she gripped tightly to her ring, before discreetly chasing after her.

 

...

 

”Oh there you are Marinette.”

 

Marinette squeaked, stumbling away from the bathroom mirror to look up. Standing in front of her was Juleka.

 

”Juleka! I- it’s nice to see you!” She squeaked, trying to cover the small scratch on her cheek with her hair. Juleka rose a worried eyebrow.

 

She had heard that her gothic classmate had been making an effort to look for her during akuma attacks. A prickling fear inside her was one with the fear that maybe one day the gothic girl would actually find her..

 

”I can see that, you’re hair isn’t long enough to cover it.” Juleka softly said, voice as gentle as rain like always. Marinette smiled weakly. Eyes wide and terrified.

 

”Y-Yeah haha..” is all she could say.

 

An awkward silence filled them, before Juleka fished out a small bandaid from her backpack

 

”Uhm. Yeah uh- Miss Bustier was looking for you. Or well- I mean I was- She was letting me and- yeah uh” Juleka smiled weakly from under her bangs “I’ll just assume you fell?”

 

”Yeah!” Marinette quickly said “Uh! I fell! During the attack! I... was gonna chase after Alya! I got lost and I uh- I fell- after seeing a cat- And- it didn’t heal! Weird right? Haha!” Oh god was that your best excuse Marinette you’re going to reveal yourself you stupid bug oh my god

 

Juleka rose an eyebrow before nodding “Oh well, that is weird.” She said in an all too calm voice. “I hope it heals.”

 

”Me too! Yeah! Haha! Yep!” Marinette smiled, it worked..! She quickly stuck it on. It was pink colored. Cute. “Uh.. to class then?”

 

”Sure.” Juleka nodded, as the two girls exited the bathroom. Marinette let out a sigh of relief. My identity is safe for another day.. I’m so lucky.. she thought Tikki said this hopefully won’t scar.. that would be awful for my secret identity. Let’s hope I don’t..

 

Before they entered the classroom, she felt Juleka’s hand on her shoulder. Looking up confuesdlt at the girl she was met with a shy smile.

 

”Sorry,” she said “that you got hurt during the akuma attack. Next time.. the heroes will keep you more safe.”

 

Marinette blinked with confusion, before she smiled “Right, I’m sure they will!”

 

Juleka nodded, the fashion designer not noticing the genuine determination in her eyes.

 

They entered class.

 

 

Notes:

Was supposed to be working on The Gamer but this happened as a filler instead, because I’m cutting out dark blade and I don’t want to delete too many episodes without compensating at least a few chapters.

Hope this filler chapter was ok

Chapter 22: The Gamer

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text



 

Juleka didn’t really.. care about video games?

 

Like they were cool, she’s been saving up to buy a switch for a reason, and watching Luka play Outlast- Whistleblower was hilarious, but she was never any good at it so she never put herself in the spotlight to play.

 

Still though, she was here to support- and while she was happy to see Marinette win, there was a sadness in her chest that bubbled when she saw Max run away. She knew how much this had meant to him.

 

But, Marinette’s happiness was contagious, and guiltily, she felt her worries melt away as Marinette’s glee spread to the rest of the class.

 

...

 

Well. That went to shit quick.

 

AHAAHAHAHAAHA I’M UNSTOPPABLE!”

 

”Oh my god it’s Max!” Kim squawked, as the class looked outside the window.

 

”And he’s got a Mecha! That’s so unfair!” Alix whined

 

”Well shit.” Juleka mumbled

 

”What do we do?!” Rose cried, latching tightly to Juleka’s arm. Juleka gave Rose’s hand a squeeze, 

 

“We stay inside kids, I don’t think we should risk going outside.” Ms Bustier said sternly, “I suggest locking down, or at least getting into places where if Max were to enter, he wouldn’t find us and- where’s Alya?”

 

Nino pointed at the door “Gone”

 

Ms Bustier rubbed the space between her eyes “..shhhi- .. darn it. Okay. Yep. That’s Alya- anyone else have any objections with staying inside?”

 

Juleka’s eyebrow twitched but she nodded with the rest of them- however as she turned to ‘hide’, Rose grabbed onto her wrist.

 

”What’s up?”

 

”Where are you going to hide?” Rose asked. Juleka blanched a bit

 

“Probably near the door, my phone’s not connecting right now and I wanna get some internet so I can call my brother.” Juleka lied, though now saying it, she really wanted to call Luka right now and make sure her brother was safe.

 

Rose stared at her for a moment before squeezing her hand “..Be safe”

 

“Always.” Juleka found herself saying with a soft smirk, before falling in a soft smile again “If I disappear, I’ll find you later.”

 

”You always do.”

 

Juleka slowly slipped away. The chaos of the library hiding her leave.

 

...

 

”Luka?” Juleka spoke into the baton

 

Juleka? Your voice sounds weird, where are you?” Luka’s voice echoed into her air- Juleka flipped onto the top of a chimney, making her way to the rampaging robot

 

”Making my way to the akuma right now,” She answered “Are you safe? Where’s mom” She asked

 

She’s here. Don’t worry about us, you gonna be okay?” Luka asked

 

Juleka smirked, landing on top of a roof as she neared the akumatized gamer kid

 

”Have some faith in me, haven’t failed yet” She grinned, before hanging up. The key term is yet.. her tail twitched.

 

Looking down she could see the mecha aiming downwards, her eyes narrowed as she saw it was Marinette

 

”Hang on Partner..” she murmured, clutching on her baton and chucking it through the air, watching as it smashed into the side of the mecha’s head so hard it made it stumble, effectively shooting it’s beam a few feet away from Marinette’s body.

 

”What the..!”

 

”New challenger approaching! Panthera Noire joins the battle, bitch!” Juleka shouted, leaping off of the roof top and landing on the ground as she caught her baton.

 

Street rat!” The Gamer roared

 

”More like street cat, but sure.” Juleka mumbled, glancing backwards at Marinette before dodging another blast. Scrambling over to where Marinette laid, she scooped her up in her arms bridal style and bolted.

 

Clambering over cars, she ended up quickly launching on top of a light post and leaping over buildings. Her grip tightened as she held Marinette close.

 

Don’t let her get hurt don’t let her get hurt. She thought, her tail lashing Well don’t look down on her either jack ass.. she can handle herself..

 

Skidding to a stop on top of a building, she set Marinette down. Flipping her hair, Juleka put on her best Panthera smile

 

”Well Bakery girl, looks like someone pissed off the final Boss” She purred, tail curling as she began to strut away “No biggie though, I’ll handle it, just stay safe.” She said, turning to look at Marinette. Her eyes glancing at the pink bandaid on her cheek. “Kay?”

 

”..Okay..” Marinette modded before blinking “Oh shoot! My friend Adrien! I left him at the park! We have to go back and help him! He could be in danger!” She cried

 

Juleka cringed, before nodding “I’ll go check on him, see you around, Bakery Girl”

 

She leapt off of the building, before bounding across the streets and climbing above the roof tops. Her tail lashed with fear as she couldn’t seem to find the young model.

 

”Where could he..”

 

”Panthera Noire!”

 

Her ears perked up as she saw her classmate crouching behind a tree.

 

”Adrien! There you are, Marinette was worried about you” She said, helping the young boy up.

 

”She was? That’s so sweet of her” Adrien smiled, looking down at a small bracelet in his hand “The Gamer passed by me, didn’t even notice me, I guess this really is a Lucky Charm..”

 

”Lucky charm hm?” Juleka tilted her head curiously “Cute, alright-“ She suddenly scooped him up in her arms “-Hold on tight, I’ll take you back to Marinette’s parents. They should be some good shelter for now.”

 

Dropping him off there was relatively easy, however Juleka’s eyes narrowed as she saw Max’s mecha again, this time however, already at level three.

 

”Shit.”

 

”Only one more level and he’ll be in his final form” Adrien said, “You should go”

 

”Yep, stay safe Adrien” Juleka nodded for him, before leaping off after the mecha.

 

...

 

Sliding into the stadium, Juleka could see Ladybug running around, desperately dodging the disintegrating beams of toxic green light.

 

The mech is ginormous! 

 

“Panthera! Cataclysm the robot!” Ladybug shouted, the akuma turned around in anger as Juleka leapt forward, slamming into the mech’s chest as her claws bubbled a corrupted black

 

”On it! Cataclysm!” She snarled.

 

The two heroes watched as the mech’s chest cracked and glowed a vibrant distorted green, before glitching and disintegrating into weak broken code.

 

”NO!” The gamer screamed

 

Juleka landed next to Ladybug, giving her a high five

 

”Impressive?” She purred

 

”It was definitely a smack down!” Ladybug grinned, before the two looked upwards in awe as a glowing red orb slowly fell towards them.

 

”Is this.. loot? EXP?” Juleka tilted her head

 

“Sure is! We won!” Ladybug shouted triumphantly

 

”Not so fast!” Max shouted from the ground, as they turned around. He let out a maniacal laugh as a grin split across his purple tainted face “You’ve forgotten the rules! I saved my last level!”

 

Juleka watched in horror as Max tapped his butterfly screen glasses- as a toxic green flowed around him, before the mech from before was back in stable condition, shining and looking above them.

 

Guess who respawned!” Max shouted victoriously over the mic

 

”Well that’s fucking bullshit.” Juleka spat, her tail lashing with irritation as the bubbling fear in chest began to anxiously grow.

 

”Yeah but did you see how he pressed his glasses? Everything about his design don’t seem to connect to those, it has to be where the akuma is!” Ladybug said, the two nodded to eachother as Ladybug put her hand on the red orb floating by them.

 

Suddenly launched into the sky, Juleka found herself landing on a gigantic cat and ladybug fusion mech. A giddy feeling of excitement began to fill her.

 

”Oh my gosh.. just like Gurren Lagenn and Promare..” She muttered

 

”Guess who’s leveled up as well, Gamer!” Ladybug shouted, her silvery blue eyes practically glowing with determination

 

“We gotta speed run this, Partner. My timer is ticking.” She said, motioning to her ring.

 

”Got it!”

 

The two jumped into the mecha’s chest thanks to the two holes on the sides of the shoulders, slipping down into the small chamber where two seats were placed. Juleka ended up on the front.

 

“Wait a minute why am I manning this I don’t know how to play” She said, before yelping as the mecha was slammed off it’s feet and crushed into the ground.

 

Juleka immediately was thrown off her chair as The Gamer slammed his fist against the screen.

 

“You know- I’m so disappointed in Max for not blasting Boss Music while we fight him right now” Juleka deadpanned, before pulling out her baton “Do I really gotta fish out my playlist right now?”

 

”Panthera!” Ladybug shouted

 

”Hold up, playing some vibes-“ Juleka said, scrolling through her baton, she snarled in anger as she felt the mecha jostle “I SAID HOLD UP IM PLAYING SOME VIBES!” She yelled.

 

Tapping onto a certain song, she gripped onto the back controls and hauled Ladybug back to her own on the front. Juleka glanced at the multiple buttons. Damn, should’ve payed attention to the tournament..

 

”Who named these fucking moves?” She wondered out loud

 

”Doesn’t matter! Booster!” Juleka looked around her shoulder as she saw the Mech’s hand turn into a rocket, before slamming across the Gamer’s head, sending it flying.



“Hit him while he’s down!” Juleka shouted, pressing a button “Cat Saber!”

 

The mech ripped off its tail and in a growing hot red light, slammed it against the robot’s body.

 

The battle raged on as they three screamed out multiple attacks, sweat rolling down Juleka’s forehead with each miss and jostle against their mech as the constant beeping of her ring began to haunt her.

 

”Partner! Running out of time!” She shouted

 

”We need to get in his cockpit!” Ladybug shouted “Shit-”

 

Juleka snarled as the mecha was slammed against again. Taking a deep breath, she summoned up her most bravest voice

 

”Well whatever you’ll do, you’ll do what you need to do. Tell me what I can do to help and I’ll get it done!” Juleka said, grinning wildly at the ladybug hero. The blunette smiled hopefully, before nodding

 

”Man the controls, I’ve got an idea!” Ladybug said, jumping out of her seat and the chamber.

 

Juleka flipped onto her seat, grinning madly as she made the mech latch tightly onto the Gamer’s arms, practically pinning them both in a arm lock. She crossed her arms dramatically as a twisted smirk cracked across her lips.

 

“Having fun Gamer?” She purred

 

Damn it what are you two doing.?!” Gamer snarled. Juleka leaned back in her chair as she heard Ladybug shout-

 

“Lucky Charm!”

 

In seconds, she saw a red blur speed across the length of the cat bug to the Gamer’s mecha.

 

”Game over.” Juleka smiled, as she watched Ladybug jump on top of the now vandalized camera of the Gamer’s robot, and gingerly plucked his visor off his face and snapped it in half.



Juleka have Ladybug a thumbs up as the ladybugs carried her to the ground, before she bounced away.

 

...

 

Watching as Marinette awkwardly was dragged off by Nino to join Max on his way to the championship, Juleka smiled. God I love video games.

 

 

Notes:

Hehe. I love anime references.

Chapter 23: Horrificator

Summary:

SPOOKY SCARY SKELETONS-

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

“AAAAAAA!-“

 

“This is painful to watch.” Juleka deadpanned, as Mylene dropped and cowered under the desk for what felt like the one hundredth time.

 

She wasn’t sure why they all decided to work on the short film the day before it was due. But hey, she probably would’ve done that anyways. At least she was stuck with a simple enough job. Make up.

 

Rose had practically saved her butt from having to do anything else, especially when Juleka just couldn’t speak up during role making. God. Why was it so damn hard to speak as Juleka but when she was Panthera, she couldn’t shut up.

 

She huffed, trying to bury herself in her jacket.

 

”And I thought you were the Scaredy-cat!” Plagg quietly snickered in her pocket, before just silencing into smugness when she glared at him.

 

”Agreed Juleka, this isn’t really getting anywhere.” Alix murmured, as she boredly held onto the clacker board before taking a chalk and editing it “Take.. fourteen. Scene one. Great.”

 

”Want a Rice Krispie?” Rose offered. Alix shrugged and took the small treat from her hands.

 

”Thanks.”

 

“Jeez! Let’s take it from the top again! Reset our stuff! Can we get some make up over here on Adrien? I feel like this’ll be the one this time! So let’s make it look great!” Nino said, looking over at the goth.

 

Juleka sighed, rubbing her eyes a bit as they all scattered to prepare for another take. Juleka grabbed her makeup bag and made her way over to Adrien- who was wearing a comedically large coat that was supposed to be a detective costume.

 

Poor guy must’ve been sweating up a storm, especially from the hot weather that hung horribly over the room, especially since Mr Damacoles refused to use the air conditioner after school hours.

 

She began to pick out the many cluttered supplies and colors in her pack, looking up at Adrien, she just gave a nervous nod.

 

“Right so, uh, yeah- sorry if my make up’s cheap, I can’t exactly buy the high quality kind.” She mumbled, as she began to sort through her colors, testing on his palm

 

”No worries” Adrien chuckled, subtly bending down a little so she could get a better look at his face.

 

He looked.. rather perfect, she wouldn’t say handsome because.. you know.. lesbian- but he almost had a look of prettiness to him. It kind of reminded her of her brother.

 

They’d already been here for about two hours, the first hour just setting up and repeating what the roles were and what they were gonna do, and disagreements kept popping up. And the current hour being.. well.. all of this.

 

Juleka dipped her brush into the makeup and got to work on his cheek. 

 

”So uh- I feel like we don’t talk much.” Adrien said, Juleka rose an eyebrow. Is he.. trying to start a conversation?

 

”Not really..” She mumbled, pulling back to his cheek- brushing part of his hair out of the way. A real Prince Charming this kid was, but the air of loneliness he seemed to carry reminded Juleka of the picture frame in Chloe’s room. “I guess our social circles don’t really match up..”

 

”Uh, yeah, You and Rose are pretty close.”

 

”Mhm” Juleka nodded, pulling more make up out to start some blush.

 

Looking at Adrien, as she feigned just checking his make up- to her, he looked like a puppy. Like a little- like a little expectant puppy wagging his tail as he looks up at you and is like ‘hey I love you can I have food and cuddles?’. Like. Like pure, and stuff.

 

”You’re uh. You’re Pretty”

 

Juleka blinked with surprise, before raising a suspicious eyebrow

 

“I’m gay.” She deadpanned, blinking in surprise a bit at her own bluntness. What the hell am I doing? I never just tell people that. Wait- why the hell did he say that? Is Adrien hitting on me? Why would Adrien ever hit on me. Flirt? What?

 

”Oh- I didn’t mean it like that- I was just complimenting you” Adrien said, smiling. Juleka paused, trying to read him. For anything.. douchybaggy? Any hint on his face and expression that would indicate anything other than what he said. But no. Nothing.

 

”Uh.. thanks, Adrien.” Juleka smiled a little weakly “You are too? I mean- yeah- You’re a good model. I used to look through your magazines before you came to school. You’re talented.” She said, brushing on his face again “Although, I feel like they try and make you a lot.. eh.. ‘sexier’ than you really are.”

 

”Sexy?” Adrien tilted his head to the side, before being corrected back into place by Juleka.

 

”I dunno, an attempt at alluring. Or like-“ Juleka dipped her makeup again “-Giving people a reason to read it more.” She tapped her foot a bit as she wiped across his face “Sorry, that probably sounds weird. You must be tired of people saying that all the time.”

 

”No, no it’s not!” Adrien said, a little surprised but his face still bright with a smile before he chuckled sheepishly “Yeah, I suppose my magazines are definitely meant to.. attract? I’m surprised you noticed that.”

 

Well other than the hopeless dreams of being a model, I guess Agreste fashion is pretty neat.. 

 

“You wanna be a model?” He asked

 

Juleka blinked with surprised. How did he.. she wondered, before her face fell and her nose wrinkled ”I said that out loud didn’t I?”

 

Adrien smiled a little sheepishly “Yeah”

 

”Damn.” Juleka huffed, rubbing her face tiredly

 

”I didn’t know you wanted to become a model, Juleka!” Adrien said, “Have you ever done it before?”

 

Juleka thought back to Picture Perfect and shook her head “Never.”

 

Adrien nodded “Haven’t modeled before hm..” he mumbled to himself, but before they could talk anymore, Nino shoved himself next to Adrien

 

”Hey there Dude, you all makeupped and ready?” He asked, a bright smile gleaming across his features.

 

”Makeupped isn’t a word, dorkosaurus” Adrien joked, glancing at Juleka “Thanks for your help, Juleka. Glad we got to chat”

 

Juleka blinked “Sure”

 

”Alright dudes! Let’s get rolling!” Nino said, pulling Adrien away as Juleka sighed. Shuffling her makeup kit back into her bag, she made her way back to Rose and Alix, who were both still munching on the many snacks Rose brought.

 

”Take 14, Scene 1, of Horrificator” Alix said, raising the clapperboard, she yawned, before popping a bit of trail mix in her mouth “Annnnnnd- Action-“

 

Juleka leaned back in chair, watching as the two classmates took into position. Holding squirt guns. Honestly she was impressed that both were able to wear those coats in such weather. 

 

“Agent Smith, it's too dangerous! We must evacuate!” Adrien said

 

“You're suggesting we run, Officer Jones?“ Mylene as ‘Agent Smith’ shouted, she was a rather decent actress, to say the least “After it devoured my family, my friends, even my beloved dog, Sniffles? Never! I won't run! I no longer fear it, I'm going to face it, then I'll-“

 

However as Ivan stepped into frame of the camera, Mylene froze and screamed

 

”WAAAA-!” Mylene shrieked, before falling backwards off of the desk and cowering.

 

CUT!” Nino shouted.

 

”Ah shite.” Juleka mumbled, lumbering her way over to check Adrien’s make up again, or at least just stick around closer to check on the poor girl

 

“Mylène! That's like, the tenth take, and we're only on the first scene!” Nino said irritatedly as he leaned over the desk to look at her

 

”Fourteenth actually. But you know, who's counting.” Alix huffed from her spot on the desks, holding up the clapperboard.

 

“Ugh..” Nino groaned, rubbing his face tiredly

 

“I'm sorry..” Mylene said softly, her soft round amber eyes brimming a bit with tears “I'm gonna do better on the next take, I promise..”

 

They all held their sighs and groans, Juleka’s face fell. Just like the other fourteen..

 

“Anyone want some tea?” Rose offered, trying to lighten the mood.

 

Nino looked at Mylene, his face twisted with barely disguised annoyance “You're playing a hero from the special forces. You're not supposed to get all freaked out!” He whined

 

Mylène’s face fell, before looking away shamefully “I know, but... that monster mask he's wearing is so... realistic and scary!“ she murmured “It reminds me of Stoneheart..”

 

Juleka looked away, cringing a little Yikes..

 

“Just big ol' me, Mylène. Nothing to be scared of!” Ivan said kindly, giving Mylene a soft smile as he made a cute wiggle with the horrificator mask.

 

“Ivan, put the mask back on, you're playing the monster! And Mylène, we need you to stay in character!” Nino said as he looked to the boy and girl.

 

Ivan complied and put the monster mask back on, only to cause Mylène to get scared again.

 

Mylène whimpered, clutching her head as she stepped backwards “I need to sing my happy song, it always makes me feel better..“ Juleka’s eyebrows rose as she watched the girl begin to hum and sing “Smelly wolf, smelly wolf, stinky breath and slimy-“ however as she began to calm down, Juleka watched as Mylene bumped slightly into Adrien’s side and let out another shriek

 

“Okay seriously!” Chloe shouted, finally seeming to lose it from what seemed like both the heat and the class “Who the hell signed Mylene up to be the main character of a horror film!? She’s literally afraid of her own shadow!”

 

Juleka’s eyes narrowed as the class glared at Chloe- however Mylene just choked out a sob, throwing off her Agent Smith jacket and bolting out of the room

 

“Chloé, seriously?“ Adrien asked, his eyes narrowed with anger

 

“I was just asking!” Chloe retorted

 

“Mylène!” Marinette cried out, before turning to them all “Anyone gonna go after her?” She asked

 

Why don’t you Panthera Noire? Juleka thought to herself, as she distracted herself with Adrien’s make up again Cowardly cat. Had to wait for Rose’s rescue when faced with just some simple job for this simple class. Fraud.

 

Ivan ran after his girlfriend, his face broken hearted “Mylenè, wait!”

 

”Real nice Chloe! Now we’re out of a fucking lead actress!” Nino barked, crossing his arms 

 

”Oh please! Well we weren’t going anywhere with her anyways!” Chloe shot back

 

“What? Why don’t you try playing Agent Smith, Chloe?” Alix drawled

 

”Ew! No! No way I’m kissing Adrien! He’s like my brother!” Chloe squawked, sticking out her tongue in disgust as she sat down on Ms Bustier’s desk next to Adrien.

 

”Kissing?!” Marinette and Alya shrieked (Along with Alix, who didn’t shriek, but did make her own share of horrified and grossed out sounds).

 

Juleka let out a whistle. Ohhhhh boy, she thought. She saw Adrien pale a bit, before watching Alya as she took out the script and flipped frantically through it

 

“I-I didn’t write that in what the hell?!” She sputtered

 

Nino looked a little sheepish “Uh... I wrote it. It was just a little tweak. You know, to move the story forward.” he said

 

”Well Mylene’s crying in the bathroom now thanks to you Chloe, so we’re gonna have to do something!” Ivan growled as he entered back into the room, before pausing “Wait did you get Mylene’s permission for that—?”

 

”You changed my script without telling me?!” Alya squawked “Nino!”

 

”Everyone chill out! Fighting isn't gonna bring Mylène back. I'm the producer, and I'm gonna do everything in my power to finish filming tonight!” Marinette declared. Good leadership, Partner. Juleka thought

 

“The deadline for the Parisian Student Short Film Festival is tomorrow evening, precisely 26 hours, 15 minutes and 14, 13 seconds from now.” Max spoke up, Marinette winced before gritting out a smile

 

”Thank you, Max.” She said, though not being able to hide the tenseness in her voice.

 

”Anyone want some juice..?” Rose asked, in another feeble attempt to calm everyone’s now jumping nerves. Adrien politely took the glass

 

”Thank you Rose..” Adrien said, sipping it a bit before Chloe plucked it out of his hands as she downed the rest of it.

 

”Well- We’re not having any Smith be smooching any Jones! And that’s final!” Alya said, crossing her arms

 

”Hang on! It’s our script! Both of us! Which means- I am allowed to say they do! It’s very in character!” Nino said, crossing his arms as he looked down at the Reporter.

 

”No it’s not! The character is-“

 

The two started to bicker, Chloe yelling out her own opinions about how stupid things were, Marinette was doing her best to mediate and keep things calm, Ivan was still mumbling about Mylene, Rose piped up everyone now and again with a delicious treat only to be ignored— 

 

Juleka had about enough of this.

 

“OKAY!” Juleka screamed, the class swerving around to look at her “If we cut the kissing scene who here’s willing to just fill in for Agent Smith?! Anyone?!” 

 

A few awkward hands rose along with a few ‘I guess’s. Juleka sighed, pulling her hair off of her sweaty face. 

 

”I guess I am cutting it then..” Nino grumbled, as Alya grinned smugly

 

Fantastic!” Juleka shouted, her shoulders still heaving slightly as the heat continued to weigh on her shoulders, she wasn’t sure where this fire was coming from. But she was just sick of all of this. “Now who the hell is playing Agent Smith?!”

 

There was a long silence before a grin spread across Nino’s face as he snapped a finger at her “Actually- That’s it! That’s what I was totally looking for! Hard, intense, badass- you’ll be perfect for Agent Smith!”

 

Juleka froze.

 

SORRY WHAT—

 

What.” Juleka said, her stomach dropping as she began to pale, Nino only nodding excitedly as she shook her head- bangs falling back over her face “No no no no no nonono no haha not me- haha nope

 

”Yeah, I agree, how’s Miss Adams Family gonna be any better then the Scaredy cat?” Chloe asked, raising an eyebrow

 

Adrien shot a look at Chloe before looking back at Juleka as he beamed with excitement “You’ll be great Juleka! I know it! It’ll be just like modeling but with more words!”

 

”Yeah Jules!” Rose smiled, holding onto her head with those big glittering blue eyes “You’ll do amazing! I never knew you could be so bombastic!”

 

Juleka turned red, hoping the ground would swallow her whole.

 

”But Mylene..” She started

 

”Me and Max will look for her!” Kim offered, practically yanking Max under his arm “No worries!”

 

”But there’s a ninety nine percent chance that she’s aku-“ Max started

 

“We’ll be back!” Kim said, bolting out of the room with Max stumbling behind.

 

”Perfect! Already everyone! Get to positions! You know the lines, right Juleka?” Nino asked, pointing his clipboard at Her. She blanched, glancing at an expectant Rose and Adrien.

 

She sighed, rubbing the space between her eyes. Can’t be hard.. I fake being confident enough already as Panthera I got this..

 

She shrugged tiredly “Sure..”

 

”Perfect! Get ready guys!” Nino said, as Juleka sheepishly threw on the jacket Mylene was wearing and grabbed ahold of the squirt gun, kneeling under the desk with Adrien again. 

 

She looked up to see Rose smiling at her from the snack table. It gave her a little bravery.

 

“Horrificator! Take fifteen!” Alix said, snapping the clapper board “Action!”

 

Juleka flinched, before putting on her best acting face despite her rising uncomfortableness. Adrien winked at her and spoke out his lines.

 

”Agent Smith, it’s too dangerous! We must evacuate!” He said

 

Juleka gulped, looking around she could see Nino’s expectant gaze- though her mind was starting to blank. Shit shit shit.

 

”You're suggesting we run, Officer Jones?“ She finally managed to say. Surprised at her own tone of voice before continuing with the same gusto “After it devoured my family, my friends, and even my beloved dog, Sniffles? No! I’ll never run! I’m not afraid of it anymore, I'm going to face it, then I’ll.. Uhh..”

 

Shit. They hadn’t gotten past that line because Mylene kept messing up

 

Fortunately before she could mess up everything and fib her lines aloud a not very manly Kim scream cut through the classroom. Juleka and Adrien shot up from behind the table. The class frozen with shock and growing fear as they spun around to the door.

 

”Did you hear that?” Adrien said, Chloe rolled her eyes

 

”No Adrien,” She said “We all decided to simultaneously freeze and stare at nothing, all at the same time just for fu-“

 

Another scream echoed through the classroom, this time, it was Max.

 

”We definitely heard that.” Juleka and Marinette said at the same time, glancing at eachother for a moment, before looking back at the others.

 

”We need to scope this out!” Marinette declared, running out of the classroom as everyone followed- Juleka kept up as their feet squeaked against the wooden plank floor. The rising smell of what reminded her of tangy and rotten fruit reached her nostrils as she darted after her partner.

 

”A fruity snack for the road?” Rose squeaked inside the classroom. Juleka paused, shuffling back to yank Rose along after them, taking a moment to leave behind Agent Smith’s jacket, having a silent idea.

 

Barreling down the steps, Juleka watched from the back of the group, Rose’s hand in hers, as they all clambered around the empty schoolyard-

 

“Kim! Max!” Adrien shouted

 

-well empty, except for the puddles of purple and pink bubbling slime on the ground. Along with a familiar sweat band.

 

”What is this..?” Marinette murmured, poking at the goop suspiciously- as Adrien picked up the sweatband. He gasped

 

”It’s Kim’s!” He said

 

”Ew, gross.” Alix deadpanned, while the others began to tremble and look around nervously

 

”They’ve vanished!” Nathaniel cried, clutching his head as he began to crouch down into a fetal position. A little dramatic. Sure. But he’ll get over it.

 

”Or they’re playing a sick joke on us?” Alix guessed, adjusting her hat “Doesn’t sound too off from Kim.”

 

”We should check with Principal Damacoles and tell him what’s going on” Marinette said, before glancing at Nino and glaring angrily “Nino stop recording!”

 

Juleka glanced down at the goop slightly, dipping her finger in it and finding it more solid than an actual liquid. Interesting.. she thought, before looking up again.

 

”No way, dude! This is going to be an epic movie!” Nino grinned

 

”If we survive” Sabrina mumbled.

 

Marinette smiled a bit mischievously as she looked off “Guess it’s time to pull out the alter ego..” she murmured

 

Juleka had no idea how Marinette hadn’t been caught yet- as the goth began to subtly walk backwards and away from the group, opting to disappear. Unfortunately, Rose caught her.

 

”Juleka where are you going?” She asked, her wide sapphire eyes brimming with worry. Shit.

 

”Well if he plans on just using this as a Found Footage horror film, I’m gonna go get Agent Smith’s jacket.” Juleka answered smoothly, pointing at the all too excited Nino, before smiling at Rose “I’ll catch up, don’t worry.”

 

”You’d think a goth like you would know the horror tropes..” Chloe muttered under her breath. Juleka chuffed, twisting the wring around her finger as she shuffled away. You have no idea.

 

Without wasting time, she quickly ran into the classroom and grabbed her make up bag and the jacket, before turning out and slipped quickly into the restrooms.

 

Just as she hoped, there was purple slime everywhere.

 

Wiping her make up bag and the Agent Smith jacket across one of the gooified mirrors until it was slathered with slime— please clean this during miraculous cure please clean this during miraculous cure she mentally repeated- she quickly sneaked back up the stairs and into the classroom

 

She began to drag the slime covered makeup bag across the floor, before stopping at the door. 

 

“What are you doing?” Plagg asked, his ear twitching.

 

”Making a crime scene” Juleka smirked, before slipping out of the room and dropping the jacket down as well. “Perfect.”

 

”Real convincing.” Plagg remarked

 

”Oh shut,” She said, sneaking out of the classroom and into another one “Plagg- Claws Out!

 

...

 

Checking the slime that now covered the entire school like a cocoon, keeping her from just simply bouncing out- Juleka found that it was almost crystallized. Hard as a rock really. Rock hard. Wait- no-

 

“Plagg better not be laughing right now..” Juleka muttered, looking at her ring- before her ears perked up and the sounds of cheers. “That’s her cue, now my grand entrance..”

 

Making her way to Mr Damacole’s office, she waited outside hearing her classmates talking.

 

”..We've got to calmly evacuate the building, okay everyone?”

 

”Sorry Partner, but I don’t think that’ll be possible.” Juleka purred, entering the doorway as she flicked the hair out of her face. A few barely hidden squeals of excitement from the girl classmates were caught from Juleka’s ear. She glanced at Rose, blinking slowly as a sly smile stretched across her lips as she winked at the blonde.

 

Rose’s cheeks turned a soft pink as she shyly waved. Juleka’s eyebrow quirked up a little with interest, but the staring Ladybug brought her back to focus.

 

“Panthera Noire,” Ladybug greeted

 

”Your favorite” Juleka grinned, tail twitching as she leaned on the table “Goo’s covering the entire school, I only have one power use and well- why let the monster have an exit, right?”

 

”Your right.. I suppose we’re all going to have to stay stuck here aren’t we..” Ladybug hummed, biting her thumb a bit as she thought

 

”Yeah” Juleka said, “But as long as we stick together, we should be purr-fectly fine.” She winked

 

”This is gonna be such a good movie..” Nino squealed behind his phone.

 

”Have you seen Marinette?!” Alya shouted, her voice spelling worry. Juleka rose an eyebrow, spotting the fashion designer’s phone in her hands. Juleka shook her head, much to the blogger’s fear. Looking back at Ladybug, she pulled her off to the side.

 

”I think you can tell that I’m a pretty big fan of horror movies, Partner. So there’s gotta be a singular place where whatever this thing is, is keeping all of it’s prisoners.” Juleka said

 

”And the only way to save them is to find the akumatized object” Ladybug nodded

 

”And to find the Akumatized object..?” Juleka drawled, her voice edging into a questioning tone. Ladybug rose an eyebrow before chuckling

 

”..we have to find the akuma.“ Ladybug smiled goofily, the tension releasing from her shoulders “I know, Panthera”

 

”Never doubted that for a second” Juleka purred, tapping Ladybug’s nose a bit before glancing to the side. Nino video taping enthusiastically

 

”Uh..”

 

”Don’t mind me! Just finding the missing peeps and solving this crazy mystery with Panthera Noire and Ladybug... This movie's gonna be so swank!” He grinned

 

”Never.. ever.. say Swank again..” Juleka shuddered, before looking at Rose and smiling. Glancing back at Ladybug, she went to the door, giving a bit of a bow to the class “Shall we?”

 

Walking down the halls however, they didn’t notice a certain blonde starting to sneak away, no one, except a particular pink haired girl.

 

...

 

“Where are you going Bourgeois?” 

 

Chloe froze, barely feet away from the other classroom- She spun around only to see Alix standing behind her, arms crossed. The blonde huffed, looking away from her awkwardly as she crossed her arms

 

”None of your business.” She said stiffly

 

”Well clearly not, you know, for someone who watched The Shining when they were six and nearly peed herself watching that same movie when she said she was so brave- you don’t know much about horror etiquette! Straying from the group” Alix teased with a monotone voice before her lips curled into a smile

 

Chloe turned red “That was one time Alix..“

 

Alix laughed “Ah! So now you acknowledge my existence! Now that we’re alone. And vulnerable. And probably going to die.” She said, adjusting her hat before turning to walk away from the girl “Now come on dummy- this isn’t like the ol’ galas we used to run away from when we were younger- it’s dangerou-“

 

Suddenly Chloe screamed, and Alix spun around, seeing no more Bourgeois there.

 

”Chloe?”

 

She slowly looked up as she felt a large hot purple goop fall on her hat- her face paling with horror as she saw the monstrous body and its three golden eyes staring down at her, a muffled screaming Chloe in it’s slimy arms.

 

”Shit.”

 

...

 

Walking through the courtyard, what was once just a normal hot day had somehow become hotter, as the slime that covered the school’s open air yard felt almost suffocating.

 

The hair on the back of Juleka’s neck rose as she did her best to keep up next to Ladybug- but the constant looking back at a very nervous Rose made her stomach twist- so slowing her steps down she walked next to the short blonde.

 

”Hello, Sunbeam.” She purred next to her ear. Rose squeaked, looking up with a shy smile. Though not blushing a fantastic red, like the first time she pulled it out. Curious.. She thought, though the horrible thought of ‘does she not like me anymore?’ was quickly shoved down

 

”Hello, Panthera” Rose greeted, Juleka’s tail twisted into a small heart, her cheeks darkening under the mask before she coughed into her fist. 

 

“How are you doing this lovely monstrous and horrifying Akuma attack?” She asked jokingly, Rose laughed

 

”I’m a little scared, not going to lie. And I’m worried about my friend Juleka, she-“ Rose’s face twisted with fear “-She disappeared, like the others, and I’m afraid she.. she..”

 

Juleka’s ears flattened a bit before she smiled “It’ll be okay, Rose. I’m sure she’ll be okay, me and Ladybug will save her and all of your friends.”

 

Rose looked up with her softly “Thank you, Panthera.”

 

Nathaniel looked around next to them “Where’s Alix?” He asked

 

”Where’s Chloe?” Adrien asked as well.

 

They all spun around, Sabrina beginning to panic “Chloe? Chloe!”

 

”Damn it what’d I say about sticking together!?” Juleka hissed, damn it damn it! Okay well- according to tropes so far, we’ve already got that The Stupid Jock and The Reluctant Nerd or Girlfriend- I’m supposed to be gone so that’s the fake out death, Marinette got ‘captured’ so there goes the pseudo leader... is Alix and Chloe the Sneak Off To Make Out Couple trope??

 

”We’ll find them later! Come on, we need to keep moving!” Ladybug said, as they went up the steps, in front of the classroom, as the red hero stepped onto the gooey mess of the Agent Smith jacket. She gasped, picking it up before entering the classroom.

 

Juleka did her best not to smile in pride as she saw her trick work.

 

”Oh my god..”

 

”This is Juleka’s! She was taken since the start!” Rose cried, picking up the slobbered up Make up bag “I should’ve gone with her! We should’ve waited we- oh my Juleka!”

 

Juleka’s heart twisted seeing how sad Rose was, before suddenly another scream caused them to stumble back in shock as Nathaniel was suddenly dragged beneath Ms Bustier’s table.

 

Juleka stepped in front of Rose’s body protectively as the loud thumping underneath the table along with Nathaniel’s horrified screams echoed across the room, getting louder and louder.

 

Suddenly the table was practically launched across the room, Juleka didn’t flinch, just staring the monstrous and looming creature dead in the eyes as the loud chatter of broken wood echoed behind her.

 

The akuma stood at what looked like ten feet tall, with gnashing, uneven, grimy teeth, gleaming golden eyes followed by long tangled cyan tentacle hair— it’s scaley salamander like body was slathered and dripping with slime and dripping goo. Said goo also dripping out of it’s mouth like drool. 

 

It was awesome.

 

”Holy fuck yes.” She breathed “That is so cool”

 

The class screamed in horror as she cackled at the akuma’s hulking and monstrous form, it’s long chameleon like tail with Nathaniel wrapped up in it dizzy and terrified.

 

”Help me! It’s got me! I’m gonna DIE!” He shrieked. She snapped out of her awe filled gaze.

 

”Hold on Nathaniel!” She shouted, turning to Ladybug “Partner! Get everyone out of here! I’ll buy you some time!”

 

”Got it!” Ladybug shouted, doing her bets to drag the frozen in fear students, leaving Ivan, the tied up Nathaniel, and the overly excited Nino and Adrien.

 

Juleka turned back to the Horrificator, a wide and almost deranged toothy grin spreading across her face.

 

”Come at me ya slimy frog!” She shouted, spinning her staff against the blast of hot bubbling goo shooting like a hose out of the creature’s mouth. Juleka winced a bit, her muscles aching before pushing forward,

 

Horrificiator let out a horrible roar, practically shaking the entire classroom

 

”So cool!” Juleka squealed in awe. The creature stared at her in surprise, blinking in confusion as it suddenly shrunk a few feet. Juleka’s ears perked up “It shrunk?”

 

Suddenly the horrificator lurched forward, slamming a heavy claw into her torso. Juleka let out a wheeze of pain as she was launched into the wall, expecting to hit the floor only to be glued against the wall as a wet slap of dripping wet slime covered her and hardened.

 

Ew ew ew ew no. Yep. That’s a definite No.

 

Juleka looked up in fear as she saw the monster turn to the others. Ladybug had Nino, but Ivan and Adrien were still on the other side, cowering. She watched as Horrificator loomed over Ivan and-

 

Licked him.

 

She blinked with surprise

 

..Eh?

 

Horrificator opened it’s big bone crushing teeth filled maw- and affectionately licked Ivan up the cheek. Who.. what? Okay well that’s fucking weird- Now who would-

 

Juleka gasped “Mylene!”

 

However the moment was over as the akumatized Mylene reached her tail over and snatched Adrien up into his grasp- Horrificator let out a snarl for a moment as a butterfly mask popped in front of her face, but ignored it as she slammed through the wall and escaped. Leaving a trail of slime behind.

 

Ladybug ran over to Juleka and broke her out through the hardened slime with a chair.

 

”Panthera! Are you okay?” Ladybug asked

 

”Peachy!” She growled, brushing herself off “Is everyone okay?” 

 

“More or less, Horrificator took—“

 

”Adrien and Nathaniel, I saw, the akuma is Mylene.” Juleka said, brushing off “The more scared we get, the more powerful it becomes. So we need to go before this turns into Godzilla.”

 

”Right!”

 

The group bolted back down the courtyard, following the path of slime and goop to the boiler room.

 

”No amped so amped!” Nino squeaked, as they ran through the corridor.

 

”Nino I’ll literally shove your hat in your mouth if you don’t-“ Juleka started, her tail lashing, though she could totally understand. This was fucking incredible!

 

”Okay okay sorry dude, I’ll take it down a notch” He said, blushing with embarrassment 

 

They burst inside, the air even hotter and uncomfortable than it was before. Juleka grumbled, fanning herself a bit as she looked around. I’m surprised this leather isn’t all sticky yet.. magic I suppose.. She thought, as she looked around.

 

Hanging from the ceiling and protruding from the ground in sticky, slimy, but also hardened, were dozens of purple and sickish yellow cocoons- the hot smell of the slime and rot caused a shiver to go up her spine.

 

”This is gross.” She muttered.

 

”Is everyone okay in here?!” Ladybug shouted Oh yeah Partner, just scream so the monster hears you. Juleka thought sarcastically. An echo of muffled shouts inside the many cocoons were heard.

 

”Help!”

 

”Get us out!”

 

”Yeah! This is fucking disgusting!”

 

”Language!”

 

”Shut up Mr Damacoles we’re out of school!”

 

”Chloe literally stop screaming into my ear we’re in the same cocoon!”

 

”Shut up Alix!”

 

“There they go again, just like the galas..” Sabrina mumbled

 

”Please get us out of here they’ve been fighting for the past ten minutes!”

 

”We’ll technically nine minutes and 15, 17, 18...”

 

”Right, okay, so we’ve got everyone clearly” Juleka quickly spoke up, as she began to hop around behind the mountains of slime, trying to smash her way into at least one of the cocoons, but it seemed like they were a lot stronger than the ones int he classroom.

 

”Has anyone here heard of Juleka?” Rose cried

 

”We haven’t-“

 

No, sorry Rose!”

 

Juleka blanched Say something. Wait. No. They’ll be confused if I’m not here during Miraculous cure.

 

“It’s a pretty big room” She ended up saying “Maybe she’s somewhere else and got knocked out”

 

”Juleka!” Rose cried

 

”Marinette! Hey Marinette where are you!?” Alya screamed desperately 

 

Fortunately however, they didn’t have time to look, as suddenly a blast of slime was shot towards the group, barely missing, only to cover the door.

 

”We’re trapped!” Sabrina shouted with fear.

 

Juleka grimaced as from above, Horrificator slammed down onto the tile floor, roaring. Climbing up onto one of the ledges, She made work of the monster by throwing many of the laying around pieces of junk and more fragile pieces of dried slime.

 

Horrificator snarled with rage, looking up at her and beginning to shoot more of the hot grime at her.

 

”Lucky Charm!” She heard Ladybug say,

 

Juleka slipped around, dodging and breaking away the attacks using both her surroundings and staff, ducking under and over the many cocoons lying around and throwing whatever was close by.

 

”That’s my cue, Cataclysm!” Juleka grinned, her hand crackling with the dark bubbling magic, as she ran across the scaffolding, and with a long sweep of her claws and fast cracks against her shoes- Juleka somehow managed to trap the beats inside a cage of fallen poles.

 

Horrificator let out an enraged roar, as Juleka dropped to the floor, looking up to see her classmates awkwardly holding some junk in their hands, with Ladybug holding some strange.. thing?

 

”What is that?” She asked

 

”A guitar” Ladybug answered holding up the weird invention made of a wooden plank, bucket, and red guitar strings.

 

”..That’s definitely not a guitar but I trust you” Juleka said, plucking one of the strings, surprised to see it work “Right, so what are we doing?”

 

”We’re gonna sing!” Ladybug smiled, before staring at her “Hm, you’re all red in my vision, here-“ she handed the makeshift instrument and sad excuse of a guitar into Juleka’s hands “You play”

 

”Eh?!”

 

”Alright guys we’re gonna play Smell Wolf!” Ladybug said, already moving on as Juleka fumbled to position herself, surprising herself as she found it somehow working?? What the hell?? Magic she supposed. Thanks Tikki. “One.. two.. one two three and-“

 

They were all awful at it. Very off tune as they smashed trash cans lids together like cymbals and shook boxes like pseudo maracas. Juleka awkwardly plucked her fingers against the strings to the tunes of the lullaby.

 

But as much as it was hurting the inner musician inside her, Juleka found this all quite adorable. A soft smile graced her face as she watched her classmates awkwardly but not fearfully sing. In fact, she could hear many of her captured friends joining along.

 

She looked up at Ladybug who was goofily singing with a broom as her mic. Good job Partner, you’re really produced something nice today she thought, before looking to Rose who was determinedly banging her cans together.

 

Eventually Mylene’s monstrous body shrunk to about the size of a puppy, and became about just as scary. The creature slipped through the bars and sprung comfortably in Ivan’s hands.

 

Plucking out of her soft tentacle hair, Ivan held up a small pin.

 

”This is the pin I gave her.” He said, hanging it to Ladybug who smiled softly

 

”Must be the object, thank you everyone” Ladybug said, crushing it in her hand as the small butterfly flutter out of it’s remains. Swiping it out of the air, Ladybug took the guitar out of Juleka’s hands and threw it into the air “Miraculous Ladybug!

 

A wave of soft warm ladybugs flew by, Juleka took the moment to quickly slip away back onto the scaffolding.

 

”Claws in..” She whispered, detransforming, before crawling into a corner where she remembered there being some cocoons. Laying on the floor, she feigned dizziness as the red glow disappeared.

 

”Pound— Panthera?” Ladybug looked around confusedly as she looked around for her partner in heroism before scrambling away from hearing her beeping earrings.

 

Juleka waddled over to the other captured victims, all safe on the now dry and slime ridden floor. She smiled as she saw a cured Mylene and Ivan share a kiss.

 

”Juleka!”

 

She turned and grinned as Rose flew into her arms and gave her a big sweeping hug

 

”I was so worried!” Rose said

 

”Sorry Rose, I—“

 

”Damn it get off me Kubdel!” Chloe’s voice barked, as the skater was shoved off of Chloe’s body from the awkward sitting position they must’ve been in inside the cocoon they apparently shared. Well. All’s well that ends well.

 

”This was the best dudes! A few cuts and edits and I think we’ve got the perfect movie!” Nino beamed, though Alya still seemed distressed

 

”Marinette?” She called out again, before a loud crash was heard, looking to the left- Marinette was on the ground covered comedic ally in a bucket pale over her head and fallen on the ground.

 

”I was trying to get down from the scaffolding and I tripped..” Marinette groaned, before getting pulled into a hug by Alya

 

”Oh girl I thought you totally got turned into Horrificator lunch!” Alya cried, squeezing the poor fashion designer’s soul out of her. Juleka laughed softly.

 

After recording some extra scenes to fit the new context of the found horror film, mostly of the ‘famous film crew’ and their ‘actors’ entering the abandoned radioactive site for their ‘stupid director’’s horror movie- they were practically done.

 

...

 

Luka munched on the popcorn “So which one am I allowed to guess is Ladybug?” He asked

 

”None of them if you know what’s good for you” Juleka replied as they watched the film. Apparently it didn’t qualify for the film festival thing. A real shame. At least Nino sent it to everybody to watch. Oh well.

 

”Ooh nice fake capture scene” Luka said, pointing at the dragged slime 

 

“Yeah, wanted to make sure it looks like I actually got taken” Juleka said, taking her own handful of the popcorn as they continued to watch. “The air conditioning was literally non existent, god, it was literally burning in there.”

 

”Do you not got sweaty in that leather?”

 

”Surprisingly no, not from the leather at least, I definitely was dying” 

 

Not a bad day at all.

 

 

Notes:

This was chaotic.

I’m so mad Halloween isn’t a big thing in France, cause I totally would’ve done a Halloween episode if it was

Chapter 24: Numeric

Notes:

Yes I skipped Dark Blade, don’t worry you didn’t miss anything

ALSO HEYYY ITS MATTHEW MERCER VOICING VINCENT!
why the fuck is there two photographers voiced by Matthew Mercer both named Vincent in miraculous that’s so fucking confusing y’all

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Juleka stirred through the bowl, her arms aching slightly.

 

Cooking and baking isn’t usually this hard.. Juleka thought, her eyes narrowing at it Then maybe my arms just hurt too from Darkblade yesterday. That was a tiring day. She thought. But I’m at least a decent cook! This is just semi humiliating.

 

Juleka glanced to the sides, seeing her classmates mixing at a much more normal speed while her weak goth arms lagged behind. Her batter still looking like multiple separate ingredients than the decent mix they were all going for. 

 

Continuing her mixing, she smiled down at Rose next to her. Who was mixing at a rather fast but experienced speed, all with a beaming smile on her face.

 

”You’re really good at that, Rose” Juleka smiled

 

”It’s all in the wrist!” Rose grinned, placing her bowl down on the counter to hold onto Juleka’s wrists, guiding her. The goth blushed a little at the contact “See how the flour is still kinda clinging to the edges? You gotta scrape it off and kinda swirl it into the middle-“

 

Honestly Juleka couldn’t hear much anymore, as her brain felt like it was overheating.

 

”T-Thanks Rose” Juleka found herself somehow saying, heart squeezing even more as Rose beamed even more, letting go of her hands to refocus on her own bowl of batter. Juleka found herself unable to however as she turned to their supervisor.

 

“I- Uh- I need to go to the bathroom, Ms Cesaire?” She squeaked, turning to the Head Chef. Her brain had gone into shutting down mode and she couldn’t take it anymore.

 

”Of course dear, actually, could you send a message to Mr Bourgeois? And tell him we’re almost done with our first few steps?” She asked, putting a small letter in her hand. Juleka dizzily nodded, and placed her hat and bowl down- before stumbling out of the kitchen.

 

Plagg flew out of her jacket “Useless Lesbian”

 

”Wannabe Remy.” She shot back

 

”It was a good idea! It could’ve been so cool!” Plagg whined “Let me tug your hair!”

 

”That’s just an excuse, it doesn’t work, I’m gonna go to the lobby.” She said, shoving him back in her pocket and moving.

 

Making her way inside the elevator, breathing in and out calmly, she let herself finally relax and let her blood pressure calm. 

 

However as the elevator doors opened, Juleka choked as she looked into who was at the front desk area.

 

OKAY LOOK- Mom had some beef with Jagged Stone for some reason, got all stone faced the last time she or Luka asked and was all ‘I respect his music..’, which was a little sus, but that had never stopped neither Juleka or Luka to be squealing fans over Jagged Stone.

 

Like- God he was just so cool okay?! 

 

Juleka swatted her own face. Juleka no. Focus. Focus focus focus. Remember what happened during the school elections? Dark Blade?

 

...

 

Juleka stood in the line, trying to mentally pull herself out. Don’t do it don’t do it you’re giving into Chloe’s temptations. You have to be a good friend to Marinette! You can’t vote for Chloe just because of some Jagged Stone merchandise you’re not that weak!

 

Jagged Stone signed her CD with a smile. 

 

”Huh, well you look Punk Rock kiddo! And remind me of someone I used to know.. I respect that! Rock on!” He said, almost melting Juleka’s knees and dignity right then and there as she suppressed a squeal

 

”Thank you!” She squeaked, almost crying just from the sheer presence of the Rockstar in front of her.

 

SHIIIIIT—

 

...



Juleka shook her head, swallowing hard. I’m weak willed. I was so close to voting for her. Damn.

 

How'd you think? I didn't just come here to admire your lobby”

 

She slowly made her way in from the side, as not to interrupt. Oh my gosh oh my gosh he looks just as cool as yesterday? Hold on is he staying in Paris? Oh my god oh my god—

 

She made her place around behind Alya and Marinette, watching in.. fascination? Chloe and Adrien were kinda staring at the interaction between the Mayor and the Rockstar, heads swerving to one side and the other like some ping pong game.

 

Juleka awkwardly looked down at the piece of paper in her hands Ms Cesaire gave her and the Mayor who was busy.

 

”Uh.”

 

”Jagged would like to check into your most luxurious suite.” The manager lady with fun pink hair behind Jagged spoke, arms crossed casually on her chest.

 

”And Fang better get a real bathtub, not a tiny water hole like the one in that hotel across the street.” Jagged said stiffly, his eyes narrowing.

 

Mr. Bourgeois smiled, a little forcibly “We have everything you need, Ms. Fang. Even a state-of-the-art entertainment center!” He said, sounding like he was using some.. costumer voice? Honestly not the first time she’s heard the guy use it.

 

The lady behind Jagged held in a snicker, Jagged only rose his eyebrow

 

”Fang is my crocodile.” He deadpanned

 

Juleka looked down, almost squeaking. How did she miss the crocodile?!

 

‘Fang’, started wagging his tail like a puppy, long tongue lolling out as well. Jagged grinning wildly as he affectionately gave the crocodile a scratch on the head. She could hear Chloe snicker a little bit in the background

 

Mayor Bourgeois paled another shade whiter, grinning nervously as he clasped his hands together as her nervously chuckled, no doubt writing his will internally

 

”Ahaha.. M-Mr. Stone, we have everything you require for your.. your.. y-your uh.. Fang.” He blabbered “Would he, um... enjoy a bubble bath?” He offered

 

”No way bubble’s will dry their scales out!” Alya barked, crossing her arms “So not good for them!”

 

”Yeah! What the girl said!” Jagged huffed, Juleka could see Alya’s soul practically leave her body, to which Marinette anchored through her laughter as the blogger shook her head and nervously smiled

 

Juleka chuckled a little nervously, stepping forward “Uhm, Mr Bourgeois?”

 

The mayor turned around to see her “Yes? You’re a student correct? I’m a little busy right now..”

 

Juleka paled a little, glancing at Jagged Stone and back “U-Uh sorry right uh- Ms Cesaire told me to give you this?” She said, handing him the piece of paper.

 

”Ah, good, Ms Bustier? It seems Group 3 is almost done with...” He trailed off, looking to the teacher before suddenly a loud yelp interrupted the entire circle.

 

”Not this guy again..” Jagged grumbled to himself, rubbing his eyes as a young lanky man with blonde hair and pink highlights, flopped over a table, scrambling away from Fang, who somehow managed to make some grunts that sounded like a chuckle.

 

”Mr Stone!” He squealed, stumbling to his feet and began to quickly skip in glee towards the Rockstar. Juleka’s eyes narrowed and she could see Jagged uncomfortably shift backwards “It’s me! It’s me, Vincent Aza? You remember me right? I’m your biggest fan! I wanted to see you again!“

 

”Yes yes right.. right.. Penny could you..?” Jagged looked to his assistant

 

”Calling them already Jagged..” Penny huffed, beginning to walk out. “Guy’s followed us through three different hotels.. including the one with the ‘water hole’..” she mumbled 

 

Juleka’s hair bristled as suddenly this guy launched forward and wrapped his arms around the rockstar’s shoulders, holding a camera up in front of them.

 

“Ohhhh fuck no he didn’t.” Plagg snarked next to her ear.

 

”Just one photo!” He said “To show everyone in the world that we're best buds! Come on, please! I'm your biggest fan!”

 

Jagged shoved him off his body, rubbing a hand over his coat, cringing as he wiped what looked like sweat off his shirt.

 

”Get off man..” Jagged growled, cringing as Vincent suddenly grew angry

 

”I traveled all the way here, Jagged! And you’re just going to reject me!?” He shouted, enraged. Juleka stepped slowly backwards, as did a few others. Chloe and Adrien awkwardly hiding under the desk, Marinette and Alya holding each other, the Mayor trying to hide next to his daughter— Meanwhile the rockstar just looked uncomfortable. Who could blame him. 

 

“Look man, I don’t know who you are—“

 

”It’s Vincent Aza! We’ve met before! I’m your biggest fan! Can’t you just give me this one photo!?” Vincent cried, stomping his foot. “I’ve gone to every single one of your performances! I’ve put my heart and soul into you! How could you do this to me!”

 

Jagged’s eyes narrowed “I’ve got my own life and privacy man, thanks for liking my music, but I don’t owe you anything!”

 

Suddenly Kim and the other chauffeur walked in, taking Vincent’s shoulders and began to drag him out.

 

”But! But!” Vincent started, looking still very pale and angry as Penny yanked the camera out of his hands, and shoved him out the door. The last thing Juleka saw before the doors shut Vincent’s enraged expression before the man ran off.

 

“Plagg start eating cheese, we’ve got a battle on our hands sooner or later..” She whispered into her jacket,

 

”Alright like- ten steps ahead of you.” Plagg whispered back, darting away into her pockets.

 

”Right then, now with that.. uh.. that out of the way!” Ms Bustier piped up, turning to the two other girls briefly before looking back at the Mayor “Mr Bourgeois, Alya and Marinette still don’t have their jobs.”

 

”Ah, right, what we came here for, let’s see..” Mayor Bourgeois said, looking down at his paper “Uhh.. you can both be Gophers then!”

 

”Gophers?” Alya rose an eyebrow, “That doesn’t sound too promising..”

 

”Could be worse.. could be.. I dunno- garbage duty?” Marinette offered quietly, the two girls softly smiled to each other before giving a thumbs up at the Mayor “You got it sir!”

 

Juleka smiled a little nervously, “I’m gonna go back to the kitchen then..?”

 

”That would be great Ms uh.. Ms..?” Mayor Bourgeois stared at her for a long moment, looking down at his clip board and back at her

 

”Couffaine? Juleka Couffaine?” Juleka offered a little tiredly, not noticing the brief look of considering thought going across Jagged Stone’s face, before Mayor Bourgeois nodded

 

”Yes! Thank you, carry on Ms Juleka”

 

Juleka nodded, glancing at Jagged Stone and trying not to stare at the rock star for long, before she awkwardly shuffled back off.

 

...

 

That did not take long.

 

”Look into my lens!”

 

Juleka suppressed her laughter He.. He..

 

“..He looks even stupider than he did before!” She snorted.

 

Okay, the guy, he, he had a stupid ass camera lens strapped on his face.. looking like a Minion.. and.. he had this whole tron aesthetic, which okay, the last Vincent that was suspiciously also a photographer akuma with a tron aesthetic- He pulled it off fine, and he was more of a steam punk mix than just.. just..

 

Juleka struggled so hard with trying not to laugh, this was supposed to be a serious situation! He erased people from existence with a snap of his camera! The guy already got Adrien, Nino, and Chloe! As well as much of the Hotel staff in his reign of hilariously stupid terror!

 

...

 

”DRAW FOUR CHLOE!” Nino shouted, as the three teens sat in the endless white void, Chloe threw up her arms

 

”FUCK YOU LAHIFFE!” She snarled

 

”We’re only two turns in, calm down Chloe!” Adrien said

 

...

 

And she had no idea where the hell Marinette or Rose was!

 

”Look into my lens!”

 

Juleka flinched as she heard another snap of a camera shutter. Scrambling across to behind another table, she chanced a glance over. ‘Numeric’ as he called himself, was far from the door now, but she stayed still. Waiting.. waiting..

 

He turned his back completely.

 

Now!

 

Juleka bolted from behind the table and out the door, rolling across the hallway carpet and kept running, but it was not enough, for once she was not gone unnoticed. Juleka swerved around, paling as she saw Numeric swerve into the hallway, his creepy stretching smile somehow growing larger as he clicked a hand on the side of his head

 

”Look into my lens..” He purred, Juleka’s eyes widened with fear- and soon- she found herself blinded by a flashing light.

 

...

 

Her eyes groggily opened, she hissed with pain as a blinding white light still burned in her eyes, before slowly fading.

 

Juleka pushed herself off of the floor, face falling.

 

She found herself in the middle of a stretching void. A completely white landscape with nothing but herself. She didn’t cast have a shadow. Plagg flew out of her jacket

 

”Well, we’re fucked.”

 

...

 

Okay so. Walking didn’t work. Neither did calling for help.

 

”This sucks” Plagg huffed

 

”I know.” Juleka said, deciding to sit down. It goes on forever.. think Juleka.. think about all the shitty tropes this possibly could be..

 

Plagg just lazily flew around ”I’m hungry” He said

 

”I just fed you Plagg” Juleka said, 

 

”I’M STARVING!” Plagg only whined more

 

”Stupid ass cat”

 

”I AM A GOD!”

 

“Oh shut.” Juleka huffed, looking around. There would be points where she was sure she saw someone, but she wasn’t sure if that was insanity or not. She had no idea how long she had been here, she had just been mindlessly walking.

 

She looked down at her ring. What if I...

 

“Plagg, Claws out..” She said, Plagg squeaked, flying into end ring as she was transformed. Juleka smiled and stared down at her claws. I have to be stuck in some kind of picture, that’s just.. cartoon logic? Stupid magic power logic.

 

However before she could attempt to cataclysm the ground, she heard it.

 

”Not creepy at all..”

 

Her head swerved upwards, a sudden window had been opened and she could see a very Jagged Stone filled room, from the perspective of a wall from what it looked like. Juleka’s tail lashed as she rushed towards it.

 

On the other side, she could see Ladybug stepping into frame, ginormous.

 

She could hear a series of shouts now, Juleka closed her ears as she could hear numerous voices, calling out for Ladybug, for help. Juleka decided to make herself heard.

 

”Well Partner! I don’t know about you, but this isn’t how I would’ve wanted to be immortalized.”

 

Ladybug swerved around to her, coming closer to her picture frame.

 

”Panthera?! What are you doing in there?!”

 

“Well if you’re curious, I was just minding my business” Juleka said, leaning back casually “Then some bozo in a knockoff Tron suit decided he needed another rockstar on his wall. Took a picture of my civilian form and now I’m stuck in here.”

 

”Sure, rockstar.” Ladybug rolled her eyes playfully before melting back into worry “Are you okay?”

 

”Sure, but I’d rather not be in isolation in an endless void of nothingness in a creepy stalker’s room for forever, so would you mind, Partner?” Juleka pleaded slightly. Ladybug’s eyes narrowed with thought, biting her knuckle a bit in thought.

 

“I’ll see what I can do, I can’t do this without you after all..“ Ladybug mumbled, not knowing how much that made Juleka’s heart warm, the red hero smiled “Don’t worry everyone! I’ll get you all out of here!“

 

A ring of cheers reached Juleka’s ears as she smiled “Good luck Partner!”

 

Ladybug nodded and then she was gone.

 

”Claws in.”

 

Plagg flew out of her ring as her outfit fell away “What’s up?” He asked

 

”Well, once she gets us all out, I’d rather not have people see Panthera in Juleka’s place when I’m out” She whispered “I’ll transform again once we’re out”

 

If we get out.” Plagg said, Juleka just shoved some cheese into his mouth.

 

...

 

From the time they were all freed and how fast Juleka was to getting back out onto the city, she would estimate for about at least two minutes.

 

Juleka pounced off the roof topic of a building, sliding down a pole, before she down on the street, tail lashing as she saw the scene in front of her.

 

Ladybug was on the ground, leg somehow phasing through it, as well as a pixilated looking arm.

 

Juleka slowly padded forward, somehow not making a sound despite her heels, which she was always curious about and- never mind that’s off topic- she was moving silently forward.

 

She made eye contact with Marinette, questioningly pointing at her eye as Numeric went on and on and on— Ladybug nodded and Juleka gave a thumbs up.

 

Rising to her full height, her hands slowly lifted and hovered closer and closer to Numeric’s camera face.

 

”Go Panthera Noire!”

 

Damn it!

 

Juleka growled, glancing to the right as two civilians behind a tree squealed at her. Juleka squeaked, hitting the deck as Numeric made an attempt to swipe at her. Flipping onto her hands, she pulled her knees in before snapping her heels in the akuma’s face- launching him backwards into a car.

 

Plopping back on her heels, she turned around to the tree- Juleka flipped her hair to the side and winked at them, resulting in one of them squealed and keeled over from the amount of red growing across their cheeks.

 

”Stay still kitty!”

 

Juleka tilted her head to the side, a beam of light from the camera man missing her by inches, she spun around- kicking off of a car and slamming her fist across the akuma’s cheek. Stalker freak. She thought bitterly.

 

Numeric stumbled backwards dizzily, spitting blood. Juleka cracked her neck to the side, rubbing her knuckles as she stepped forward and cracked another fist against him, and another- before jumping and slamming him into the ground with a spinning kick.

 

”Hey Partner” She said, sitting on top of his body and pushing his face into the ground so he couldn’t take a picture of anything. “Did you get a word on what this guy’s deal is?” She asked, but she already knew

 

”Major stalker, to the point where he was following Jagged Stone’s mom” Ladybug answered, “Can I get something to lean on?” She asked, Juleka threw the red hero her baton, to which she used like an awkward cane to hobble over.

 

”I might rough him up a bit, hold off the cure a little?” She asked.

 

”Sure thing, are you—“

 

”Oi Numeric! It’s me you wanted right?”

 

Juleka squeaked, as all three turned around to see Jagged Stone in all of his mother fucking glory standing on top of a car, arms wide like the mad lad he was.

 

He looked around to the same girls at the tree, the one who fainted just recovered before fainting again when Jagged winked at her.

 

”J-Jagged!” Numeric sputtered, struggling weakly against Juleka’s iron grip.

 

Jagged blinked, looking around owlishly “Oh am I late?”

 

”A little” Ladybug smiled weakly, Juleka was struggling not to hop off of Numeric’s body and just run to Jagged at that very moment sense holy shit her hero was right there- but she refrained out of respect and also because.. you know..

 

”I just wanted you to be mine Jagged!”

 

”I came here so you’d stop hurting people, dumbass.” Jagged bit out, crossing his arms “I don’t know what screwed up mentality you have, but you can eat shit”

 

Numeric let out a gutteral scream, struggling against Juleka’s grasp before slumping in a low whine. Juleka, Jagged, and Ladybug cringed at eachother.

 

”Okay..” Juleka awkwardly said, looking at Jagged weakly “Uh, right, big fan Jagged, I’m just gonna—“

 

”Wait hold up, I literally only have one hand, lemme cure everything first.” Ladybug said, waving her pixilated arm, “Luck Charm” A small ticket dropped in her hand and she threw it up in the air again “Miraculous cure!”

 

Juleka smiled, as she felt the ladybug’s breeze past her, tickling at her skin in a moving warmth, as she watched people return to reality.

 

”Rock on..” Jagged murmured. Juleka nodded happily to Ladybug and looked down at Numeric.

 

“Cataclysm.”

 

Adjusting her now glowing hand, she tapped it against Numeric’s glasses and watched as they crumbled to dust. Ladybug swiped it out of the air, curing it

 

”Bye bye little Butterfly” She smiled, as it fluttered away. Juleka got up as Numeric’s body bubbled away, leaving the dizzy body of a Vincent Aza, laying on the street.

 

”First time I’ve seen you do cure first.” Juleka commented “Usually you swipe the akuma and then cure”

 

”Well yeah but I needed two hands to cure it” Ladybug explained, waving her hands for gesture sake

 

”Ah makes sense I-”

 

”Jagged!” Vincent was back on his feet. Juleka’s ears flattened against her head, both Juleka and Marinette protectively starting to move in front of the rockstar who already started to look annoyed again.

 

Juleka calmly put a hand on Vincent’s face and shoved him away.

 

”Get a life, dumbass” She chuffed, as a few professional looking bodyguards, followed by a tired looking Penny Rolling grabbed Vincent by the shoulders and pulled him off. Juleka’s tail twitched, internally screaming a bit as she turned to Jagged Stone.

 

Juleka suppressed another squeal, doing her best to calmly breath

 

”I- Uh- Jagged! Stone! Jagged Stone! Big uh, big fan, I— didn’t see you, yesterday, during Dark Blade I- I’m a big fan” Juleka sputtered, rubbing the back of her neck “Uhm, right, probably worst time to fan girl right now, uhm, because with uh.. I’m gonna go now have a good time in Paris!” She squeaked, darting off.

 

...

 

”W-Wait kid! You look Punk Rock wait! You’re fine you’re not being creepy I’m glad you— She’s gone. Damn.” Jagged said disappointedly, looking to Ladybug “What about you?”

 

Ladybug made a sound not unlike a tea kettle and swung off. Jagged shrugged.

 

Right.. Well good to know I’ve got some fans with the heroes! I’ve got some song ideas now for the concert tonight now! Yes! I know what I’m going to do! He thought, beginning to make his way back to the hotel in a brisk and excited trot.

 

It’s strange though.. that kid.. reminds me of an old friend.. Eh. Must be nothing.

 

...

 

”SLOWDOWN SLOW DOWN PLEASE!”

 

Juleka ignored him, using her arms and trusting the idea her brother was holding on tight as she managed to grapple herself over one of the walls and landing in the back of the crowd, immediately detransforming.

 

”Annnd we’re here!” She smiled, 

 

”Jesus is that how it feels?!” Luka sputtered, wheezing as he plopped off of her.

 

“Hell yeah it does, pretty cool right?” She smiled, flipping the hair out of her face. Luka made a face, wiping the sweat off his forehead.

 

”Terrifying!”

 

”Valid” Juleka snorted, as the two siblings fist bumped as they joined the crowd’s cheer. Sure okay, she probably broke a ton of unspoken Miraculous Hero rules using Plagg to sneak into the Jagged Stone concert with her brother. But who cares? Plagg was having a great time, so was Luka- and who doesn’t love Mother Fucking Jagged Stone?

 

 

Notes:

My dad shared the song Stan by eninem with me and it reminded me of this episode, my dad is cool. I love my dad.

Anyways

This was a little tough to write sense there’s not a lot of Chat Noir in the episode besides being touched uncomfortably by Chloe, and sense neither of those things are canon in Panthera, I didn’t have much to work off of except Juleka being very lonely and bored while also fangirling over Jagged Stone-
Which we’ll get a lot more of... next chapter...
-so I changed somethings up

But anyways yeah, lots of stuff got cut in this chapter, planned a whole scene I just couldn’t get through where it was just Alya and Marinette on a pseudo date looking for and making the sunglasses, had an idea where Juleka got thrown into the gopher role with Marinette instead cause somehow the Kitchen Crew set something on fire and Alya ran out of the elevator to help- but I just didn’t have the energy to write either.

So pretend Marinette and Alya were totally on a “not” date looking for the sunglasses. Wow so cute. Love that. love them.

Anyways does anyone know what No Straight Roads is? Great game, helped me write Vincent, as I plucked some lines from Tatiana and Kliff.

Anyways anyways though, reason why I didn’t name the guy Pixelator was because of.. idk Numeric sounds cooler.. even though I watch the miraculous dub cause I’m lazy.. also I know I wrote that Dark Blade happened before this, and Jagged was there, even though Andre doesn’t recognize him here apparently in the episode.. ignore what Andre said

Chapter 25: Guitar Villain

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

“...Why am I number one? Simple. It's not about music, it's about technology. This computer is programmed to produce music and lyrics people will like. It's guaranteed success. XY said smugly, before taking a sip of his drink.


“You knocked Jagged Stone off the #1 spot. What do you think of him?”

 

XY threw his drink aside “Bleah! Jagged Stone, the hero of rock 'n' roll? Try "Ragged Stone." That guy's old school, a has-been. His guitar solo is so ten minutes ago.”

 

Juleka wanted to snap her phone in half watching it, this was just absolutely disgusting. She let out a low growl as she shut her phone off and stomped out of her room and into the living room. Grabbing the nearest cushion, she screamed in the couch pillow for a few moments before falling onto it.

 

”This fucking guy..” She grumbled,

 

”What’s up, Jules?” Luka asked curiously from the table with Rose, Anarka looking up curiously from her frying pan in the kitchen.

 

”Check that newest interview with XY and you’ll see” Juleka mumbled, sinking into the couch more as she held her knees close “Absolute lousy piece of shit..”

 

Luka rose an eyebrow opened up his phone, Anarka and Rose leaning over to watch it. A few minutes later she heard the wonderful sounds of Luka throwing his phone against the wall and running out of the kitchen and screaming outside the boat, Anarka basically having a stroke, and Rose spitting out her drink.

 

”What?!” Rose squawked, running to the couch and leaning over it to shake Juleka “What?!”

 

”Aw bloody fuckin’— how is this onion shite in number one?!” Anarka growled, before turning back to the food she had momentarily forgotten she was cooking- “Ah swear, I’m gonna throttle that wee jobber for disrespectin’ music like that!”

 

”RIGHT?!” Juleka threw her arms up, walking with Rose back to the table to hold up her phone again “It’s causing a ton of discourse online too, absolute mess.”

 

Luka, who had just returned from the upper deck, heaving, and looking absolutely pissed, slumped in the seat next to her.

 

”And?” He said weakly, head in his arms.

 

”Well, no response from Jagged,” Juleka said, rubbing her face tiredly “But I can’t imagine he’d ignore a callout whatever whatever like this!” 

 

“I hope he’s okay” Rose said, leaning on her cheek. Anarka chuffed, putting the slightly burnt grilled cheese sandwich on Juleka and Rose’s plate, Juleka cutting it in half so the two could share “I don’t get why people like XY so much! He- he sucks!”

 

”Bah! If it hurts he’ll get over it!” Her mom said, crossing her arms “He’s a rockstar, it’s ‘is job to throw hands with scrawny wannabe music kids anyways! He’s quite used to the business! As for XY, people just like him cause they think others like him, and once everyon’ realizes no one likes ‘em he’ll fade to oblivion.”

 

”We can only hope” Juleka huffed, Rose took a bite of her sandwich and squealed

 

”Thish ish sho good!” She said with a mouthful of food inside her mouth, eyes gleaming “Than’ you Mish Couffaine!”

 

Anarka barked out a laugh, ruffling Rose’s soft short locks with her hand.

 

”No problem kiddo! Can’t have you starving here now can I?” Her mother smile, glancing at Juleka for a moment a giving her a soft look.

 

Business had been getting busier for her mom. Juleka would say that.. well.. that, that was good, she doesn’t know how she would be able to keep Plagg a secret from her mom if she was home more often- and- Juleka weakly smiled at her mom.

 

“I’m still feeling a little angry from that video..” Luka admitted, before lighting up and giving Juleka a smug look “Why don’t we have a little jam session?”

 

”Really?!” Rose beamed, Juleka’s heart squeezed. Shiiiiiit. Luka gave her a thumbs up before facing Rose again with a big smile on his face.

 

“Yeah! I’m sure Juleka would love to join, too!” He said, glancing at Juleka again with a shit eating smile. I will cataclysm your fucking face. Juleka thought, face turning red “Isn’t that right, Jules”

 

Rose didn’t even have to turn around and flash her beaming, all too adorable eyes to win Juleka over.

 

”Sounds fun, mind if your old ma’ joins?” Anarka smiled, winking at the gothic girl again, making her turn even more red.

 

“That would be so cool!” Rose squealed, Luka nodding and getting off his chair.

 

”Lets then” He grinned, as they walked out of the kitchen to grab their equipment.

 

...

 

Walking down the street, Juleka was quietly whistling Rock You Like a Hurricane as it still echoed in her head. After they had stopped playing, Anarka sent her on a errand run for popsicles and some pain meds cause her tinnitus was acting up, which like, valid, but she was tired.

 

It was a long session, her hands still ached slightly as she brushed the hair out of her face. Rose’s voice still carried through her body, it’s soft rasp as she screamed into the mic with a wild and carefree expression on her face. Juleka felt her heart squeeze and her cheeks flush at the new memory.

 

”You all were so noisy!” Plagg whined from her hood “I didn’t know Rose’s voice could get that loud!”

 

”Oi, don’t be mean!” She hissed, before looking off and sighing dreamily, her cheeks still pink and her heart still feeling all pushy and light “It was punk rock”

 

”Yeah yeah I get it, your gay as fuck, I need a nap to forget the ringing in my ears” Plagg huffed

 

Plagg got the opposite of that as a sudden blast of music rang through her ears, Juleka spun around- watching following the  blasts of the sickest shreds she had ever heard, was follow by large beams of purple and orange energy.

 

It smelt of leather and sweat.

 

Juleka darted into an alleyway “Plagg! Claws Out!”

 

Transforming, Juleka jumped out of the alleyway and back onto the streets, following the sounds of music and explosions. Leaping onto the Fontaine du Palmier, she discovered..

 

No.

 

No fucking way.

 

NO!

 

NO!

 

OH GOD NO.

 

”I have to fight mother fucking Jagged Stone.!?” Juleka shrieked, said akumatized rock her spun around, growling with rage as his now dreaded and hot pink hair seemingly to glow with his anger. He looked like he popped out of one of his album covers.

 

“That’s Guitar Villain to you, Pussycat!” He shouted, beginning to shred on his guitar at lightning speed as he head banged wildly “Awesome Solo!

 

She wasn’t sure whether to squeal with excitement or shriek in terror. HE JUST LOOKED SO COOL!?

 

”Ohhhh fuuuuuuuck” She murmured, yelping as suddenly Guitar Villain’s blast of sound exploded a few inches away from where she was previously standing. Juleka bolted away, watching as the Fontaine du Palmier collapsed to the ground in a huge cloud of dust.

 

She dodged another blast of energy, panic swelling in her body as she watched her surrounding shatter and crack from the blasting music.

 

Bouncing off of a car, she spun her staff, reading to crash it against her idol’s head, only to be slammed back by an ear piercing blast of music.

 

She was thrown backwards from the sheer force of energy from the musician and she winced in pain at the slight ringing in her ears as she tried to struggle back to her feet.

 

“S-Shit.. what..” She mumbled

 

Juleka screamed in pain as the music only increased, louder and louder, as she was thrown through the air and slammed against the concrete walls of a side building.

 

The deafening sound dropped for a moment, only to turn on again and send her slapping back into the wall over, and over again, as Guitar Villain’s laughs barely reached her ears over the heavy rock music.

 

Finally she fell to the ground, slumped over in pain as she shook her head dizzily, hands clapped around her ears in pain as she could still hear the loud deafening ringing echo through her head.

 

What is.. where..

 

Her vision was blurry and while the pain in her back was fading and she couldn’t find the strength to stand again. The stinging ring in her ears stopped her from hearing Guitar Villain roaring for another encore, and sending another orange beam towards her body- before a red blur jumped in front of her and pulled her to safety.

 

Juleka yelped, or at least she thinks she did, as they rolled across the ground and she looked up to see Guitar Villain standing on top of- oh god was that a fucking dragon?!

 

His mouth moved, indicating speech, but the ringing still echoing in her ears overwhelmed all sound, as she struggled to refocus on her surroundings again, still dazed and in pain.

 

Slowly, very slowly, as she felt Ladybu- Marinette’s hands on her shoulders, shaking her slightly and mouthing inaudible words, she began to hear again, the ringing slowly fading, and the stinging pain withering. Juleka’s hands shakily slipped off of her ears as she looked up at Marinette.

 

”I feel sick.” She mumbled dizzily

 

”Are you gonna be okay?” Ladybug asked frantically, caressing Juleka’s cheek a bit, the goth cat winced. Shit shit.. be strong be strong.. come on.. Juleka put on a smile and messed with her hair a bit

 

“No I’ve got a bit boo boo, kiss me and make it go away, Partner” Panthera joked, puckering her lips playfully as Ladybug sighed and shoved her face away 

 

“Yep. You’re fine.” She deadpanned, sticking her tongue out a bit. Juleka just smiled, as Ladybug stood up from her spot and looked around. Juleka’s smile faded however as she rubbed her ear a bit. What happened there.. did I.. rupture my eardrums or something? God damn. Her eyes narrowed I can’t let that happen.. I can’t let myself become a liability here I-

 

“—Panthera are you listening to me?”

 

Juleka looked up confused let “Huh?”

 

“We’ve got to follow Jagged Stone” Ladybug said, spinning her yoyo and connecting it to a far building- her silver blue eyes sparkling with determination “Keep up, kitty!”

 

Juleka was silent, before following after her “Just purr-fect..”

 

...

 

Following Guitar Villain to the Eiffel Tower was tiring enough but it was only made worse with the fact they had to run off to the other half of Paris when it turned out that haha no XY was not there and he was in fact in the recording studio and dang she was exhausted.

 

Like- look- the suit did gave her more strength but you try running across an entire city wearing heels. At least they managed to save the equipment.

 

Juleka tapped her foot impatiently on the floor before XY sauntered out of the recording studio, his smug energy already telling Juleka to fucking square him right in the face. Break his stupid ass nose make it so crooked so the album cover artists will have to course correct it by flipping it- kick him in the—

 

“So what this Guitar Villain going to do? Blow me away with his evil guitar solo?” XY asked, rolling his eyes mockingly. He could see her looking the two up and down, and she met his gaze with a glare. 

 

“Yes!” Ladybug said exasperatedly

 

XY just scoffed, “Pff. Who even cares? What’s Old Ragged gonna do? Wave his cane at me? Old man’ll probably throw his back out trying—”

 

Suddenly as if the gods themselves descended, the akumatized rock king swooped down and snatched the twink in his dragon’s jaws, XY’s screams echoing throug Paris as he was yanked through the air.

 

“Jagged’s gonna kill XY!” Ladybug exclaimed in horror

 

”Why don’t we just...” Juleka leaned to the side a bit “..let him?”

 

Panthera!” Marinette squawked, Juleka threw her hands up

 

”I don’t like XY, sorry!” She said defensively, I’m not sorry what am I saying “But like.. he really deserved it for that shitty interview her had.. onion looking twink..” Juleka added, twiddling her fingers

 

“Panthera we can’t let Jagged Stone kill him!” Ladybug said, the cat hero groaned, ear twitching with irritation

 

Fineeeee” Juleka whined, tail lashing “If you insist..”

 

Panthera.”

 

”What else do you want me to say!?”

 

The evening sky grew a dark purplish red as the two heroes swung through the city, the echoing sound of rock music enchanting the many brainwashed people running through the streets, traveling like fish in a stream towards the Eiffel Tower.

 

Juleka made a drop off a building, letting her staff bend almost in a comical way, before being catapulted through the air again, letting the wind push against her face and blow through her dark locks, before both she and Ladybug landed at the edge of the  buildings that surrounded the Eiffel Tower.

 

Juleka licked her dry lips a bit, tail lashing.

 

”I suppose it’s time for the curtain to fall.” Ladybug said, Juleka snorted

 

”That was a shitty pun” She smiled

 

”Hey! I tried!” Ladybug said, hands planting on her hips. The cat hero just smiled at her and nodding towards the tower, as the circling monstrous reptile flew around the top, the distant rock music still reaching her ears, making her heart pump.

 

”You’re mouth can do better things than make shitty puns, Partner” Juleka winked, watching as Ladybug both fumed and blushed a bright red “Let’s go.”

 

They flew over the crowds with Ladybug’s yo-yo, before running up the tower as fast as they could. The music becoming louder and louder. The scream of Jagged’s voice saying ‘ULTIMATE SOLO!’ made it worse, as the world began to shake.

 

Juleka’s hands flew to her sensitive ears as she almost fell off of the ledge, only to be saved by Ladybug who grabbed onto her tail.

 

“We need to get up there faster! Or else XY is gonna fall!” Ladybug shouted, grabbing ahold of Juleka’s waist “Hold on!”

 

Ladybug threw her yo-yo forward and began to yank them forward. Juleka’s ears perked up too late however, as she turned to see the massive Fang dragon diving through the Eiffel Tower bars and slamming into them, catching Ladybug in his jaws.

 

Ladybug!” Juleka shouted, her tongue so close to saying her partner’s real name. She felt herself free fall through the air, the wind coursing through her locks before she twisted around and extended her pool, making her hang.

 

She couldn’t see the dragon anymore, as it had spun into the dark stormy clouds. Juleka felt the cold air bite into her skin as she pulled her torso up onto the bar, clutching it tightly as her eyes darted around. Where where where where.

 

Suddenly another exploding roar caught her attention, Juleka’ eyes widened as she saw Ladybug somehow riding Fang burst through the bars again. Juleka grinned and dropped onto the dragon’s back, holding tightly to Ladybug’s smaller body.

 

”Didn't know you knew how to ride a dragon, Partner!” Juleka grinned wildly

 

”Me neither!” Ladybug said, before pulling them higher into the air, Fang’s thundering flaps boosting them across the clouds. This was the craziest thing Juleka had ever done, and she was loving it.

 

They swooped towards Guitar Villain, missing him by a few inches. However the excitement didn’t last long, as Guitar Villain let out a roar of anger.

 

”AWESOME SOLO!” He shouted, letting out another riff of energy, blasting beam after beam towards the two heroes.

 

The two yelped, as he finally managed to hit them, sending them dive bombing into the tower. Juleka grabbed onto Ladybug and leapt off before they could crash into the ground.

 

Juleka held on tightly to her, putting herself between the ground and Ladybug’s body, before they slammed into the top of the tower rolled several feet across the ground. Juleka eventually let go as they continued to skid a few more feet, before rolling into the abandoned instruments. 

 

Feeling herself stop, She growled in pain, her bones aching with agony as Ladybug rushed to her side to help her up.

 

“Panthera!” Ladybug cried

 

”SOLO!” Guitar Villain shouted, Juleka covered her ears as the shaking sound rippled over the two along with the horrible creaking of the plank XY was forced to stand upon.

 

”Partner!” She bit out in desperation

 

”Lucky charm!” The two were bathed in red light for a moment before two small objects fell into the red hero’s hands while Juleka just struggled to not hear for once, for it was just too loud.

 

Suddenly, following the momentary break of music as Guitar Villain’s cackling replaced the thundering noise falling on her shoulders, Ladybug pulled her hands from her ears pressed the objects into her palms. Juleka’s eyes slowly opened and found two Earplugs.

 

”Wait for my signal!” Ladybug shouted, leaving her side and swinging forward. Juleka watched as Ladybug took a guitar and ran towards Guitar Villain, who spun around as the two slammed their instruments against each other like a dance of malicious sounding swords.

 

Guitar Villain, finding himself cornered, threw himself off of the plank, only to get caught by Fang’s once flying again body. Lightning crackled in the sky as he let out a roar of laughter.

 

ROCK IN ROLL!

 

Juleka paled, trying to stand up, only for Ladybug to give her a smile. ‘Wait’ is what it said, as Ladybug threw XY back onto stable land, slung the guitar to her back, and whipped her yo-yo forward.

 

The gothic hero watched in awe as the explosion of glowing green ember, bursts of music, and violet electricity crackled throughout the air, following the blur of red that was her friend.

 

Suddenly though, following the sound of the whizzing yo yo, the dragon was yanked to a stop. Juleka’s eyes widened as she saw the akuma’s silhouette finally appear again. Standing in the sky like some kind of thunder god.

 

“Panthera! Catch!”

 

She threw her open hand up blindly to the source, feeling as a stiff object fell into her grasp. Juleka’s eyes snapped towards it as she saw what it was.

 

”Oh..” Juleka licked her lips as the heavy red guitar weighed in her hands “..Yeah.”

 

Plugging it into the multiple connected amps of the large stage, Juleka could feel the world slow as she looked up at Guitar Villain as he stood on top of his violet dragon. His pale green eyes glowing in the dark night sky, along with his flowing tentacle like dreads, and luminescent outfit.

 

Putting the spotted earplugs in her ears, which although didn’t block out all of the sound, she trusted it’s protection— she began to play.

 

Juleka shredded her fingers against the electric guitar, it’s reverberating sound exploding from both behind her and from the instrument herself. She found herself lost in it’s embrace of burning energy.

 

She could feel rain start to beat onto her, as she felt her head hang as she continued to thrash onto the guitar. Opening her eyes she stepped forward, and she could see somehow, as Guitar Villain played against her with his own exploding sound, their music began to blast against each other like appointing beams of light.

 

Louder! Louder! Juleka gritted her teeth as a feral emotion began to build in her chest as it urged her to keep playing, her blistering and stinging fingers still raking against the strings as she continued to push against the pressuring rock king’s song.

 

Juleka let out a raspy scream as she brought down her hand, as a wave of sound blasted forward, breaking through Guitar Villain’s momentarily as his song suddenly staggered to a stop from the shock.

 

“You’re..” Guitar Villain weakly started, before Juleka brought down another echoing riff. Drool was dripping from her jaw, and her eyes were practically rolled to the back of her head from her daze.

 

He yelled, guitar flying out of his hands and being caught by Ladybug as she swung around- and like in a pull-y effect- yanked Guitar Villain and Fang forward and crashing into the Eiffel Tower’s side like a bug to a car wind. Their comedic smack into the metal snapped Juleka out of her rock daze, as she shook her head.

 

What did I.. 

 

“..ake those!” Juleka blinked with surprise as Ladybug plucked the earplugs out of her ears and smiled at her, before throwing it up in the air. “Miraculous Ladybug!”

 

Juleka watched as the dark thundering sky was overwhelmed with the glowing red, traveling across Juleka’snaching and scraped skin, the ladybugs feeling like little kisses as they healed her. She could see from the right, Guitar Villain, as a dark flurry of bubbles crackled off of him, revealing a tired Jagged Stone.

 

She smiled, before blushing a bit as she looked to Marinette.

 

”I went a bit overboard there.. didn’t I?” She mumbled shyly, hiding behind her hair.

 

”No way! You were totally rock ‘n roll!” Ladybug beamed, taking her by the hands “You were amazing!”

 

”You were insane!”

 

Juleka and Ladybug spun around to see XY, finally free from his ropes. Her eyebrow rose.

 

”Sorry why are you still here?”

 

”Excuse me?” Ladybug hissed

 

”You were a fucking demon! That music was fucking awful! And and you—“ XY spat, pointing at Juleka and then Jagged Stone who was back on his feet “—You’re a maniac! A fucking maniac!”

 

Jagged just sniffed, not bothered “Yeah thanks.”

 

XY just let out an angry screech and stomped away. Juleka squeaked as she suddenly felt a hand on her shoulder, she spun around in shock to see Jagged who was smiling.

 

”That was some killer music, Rock Panther. It’s a little fuzzy in my memory, but you totally rocked you’re heart out and earned this Rock King’s respect” Jagged smiled, giving her a pat on the head and a proud squeeze on the shoulder. “Keep doing what you’re doing.”

 

Juleka let out a long growing squeal, her legs turning to jelly as she seemed to die right then and there. Yep. This is how she died. Tell Rose she loved her this was it. Oh god.

 

”T-THANK YOU!” She squeaked, face turning bright red as her hands awkwardly trembled, she glanced at Ladybug who was supportably smiling and Jagged who was just looking at her with a proud and happy look on his face. Juleka breathed heavily “I-I just- You’e- I- C-Can I hug you?”

 

Jagged shrugged and opened his arms wide “Sure!”

 

Juleka sped into her arms and literally almost started to bawl. Holy shit, please don’t wake me up oh my god. Holy shit. Jagged just laughed and gave her a big hug, patting her on the head to which Ladybug joined

 

”THANK YOU FOR YOUR WORK!” She blubbered, clumsily wiping away some tears as she pulled away “I-You’re my- you’re my hero! And-And you’re literally so fu- so cool!” She sniffled “Sorry you probably get that a lot..”

 

Jagged just grinned, ruffling her hair “Rock on Kiddo, you do good work.”

 

”Work.. work! Shi- SHOOT I’VE STILL GOT WORK TO DO!” Ladybug cried, before jumping off of the tower “B-BUG OUT!”

 

Juleka and Jagged blinked confusedly.

 

”Huh?”

 

”That was odd. I wonder what she’s working on.” Juleka mumbled, wiping away the sweat off her forehead

 

...

 

About 20 minutes later Juleka awkwardly knocked on the door, entering her home holding a few bags of popsicles and meds, meeting Anarka, Rose, and Luka’s surprised gazes.

 

”Uh. So that was crazy.” She said, giving Luka a slightly blissed out look before smiling at her family and opening up one of the bags “Uhm. So.. Popsicles?”

 

...

 

The next morning was all in all pretty good. A little after Rose left and Anarka went to sleep the night before, Luka and Juleka went outside for some ‘fresh air’ but actually they were screaming for about ten minutes.

 

”In today's headlines, Jagged Stone's new album hit the charts at #1, hitting XY off his throne. Welcome back, king of rock 'n' roll!”

 

Juleka sipped her drink as she let the news play in the background. Ah, the world is back to normal.

 

“Hey Jules, isn’t that your classmate?”

 

Juleka quirked up an eyebrow and turned to the tv, before spitting out her drink

 

”MARINETTE DESIGNED THE NEWEST JAGGED STONE ALBUM COVER?!—“

 

 

Notes:

Juleka plans a murder

Also it’s a damn shame that I hate trolls world tour
Cause Rachel Bloom’s covers of Rock You Like a Hurricane, Crazy Train, and Barracuda are actual GOLD and unfortunately are on the Panthera playlist because DAMN IT MUSIC IS MUSIC

Anyways though, those songs, plus the soundtrack of Scott Pilgrim and NSR has been blasting this entire chapter, and the other songs I added to my Panthera playlist (which is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhf0vZGHILRbTN8lZJVoxdKFxIqj4RVCh)
This was fun

Also according to like, one of the wikis I’ve found about the couffaine family is “All the Couffaines' names so far end with "-ka". However, it is actually a pun, as it sounds like "acouphène", which means "tinnitus" in French.”
Which I found fun, so I threw in the idea that Anarka has tinnitus because of her habit of dealing with crazy loud music.

ALSO DID YOU FUCKING KNOW THAT CRANE WIVES RELEASED A NEW FUCKING ALBUM?! FUCK YEAH

Anyways, next chapter: don’t blink, or everything might just *snap* vanish~

Chapter 26: Vanisher

Summary:

VANISHER DESERVED HER OWN FUCKING EPISODE
ROBBED I SAY!
ROBBED!

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Sabrina could feel the cold numbness of her consciousness begin to slip away to the warm embracing abyss that was her fading mind, as the tendrils of thought began to entangle through her thoughts. Whispering. Beckoning.

 

I’m Sabrina!  She thought fearfully I’m Sabrina!  I’m Sa-Sabrina.. Sa-S... I’m..

 

The brooch in her hand burned on her chest, as she felt her eyes burn with tears, the feeling of why and who gone, just the what she wanted to do.

 

”Yes Hawkmoth..” she hiccuped in her tears, and let herself...

 

...

 

”...disappear!” Rose exclaimed “And I haven’t found that pen ever since!”

 

”Really” Juleka mused, a soft blush going over her cheeks as she stared down at Rose. The girl’s soft blonde locks glowing in the opened windows and filtering softly through the short breeze that went by. “Are you gonna be okay without it during the test?”

 

”Ooh.. that science test is gonna be the death of me..” Rose whined, “I have no idea..”

 

Juleka chuckled, a soft smile gracing her features as she pushed some hair out of Rose’s face. “You’re gonna be fine”

 

The two smiled at each other. As for herself though, Juleka had no idea what they were gonna be doing, and as they entered class, it didn’t look like Chloe did either. Her hair was a mess, her eyes sullen, dark, tired, and she looked like she walked out for a tornado.

 

Which she would be doing, as ten minutes later the craziest shit happened.

 

It looked like a scene out of like- Matilda. Or like- Carrie. Or like-.. uh.. something something basically a ghost akuma?

 

Juleka watched a her own pencil floated up in the air and was flung at Chloe’s head. A few people laughed as Chloe was practically chased out of the classroom covered in supplies and books, strands of hair yanked out, and papers ruined- Juleka wanted to laugh too, Rose however, just looked worried.

 

”She’s humiliated.. she wasn’t believed in.. like in Rogercop..” Rose murmured, she looked up at Juleka with her big blue eyes, shining with an empathy that always made Juleka break “Always be kind..” she echoed, and Juleka knew who she was pulling those words from. Juleka gave her hands  squeeze and nodded.

 

Right. Time for some akuma/ghost hunting.

 

...

 

Following Marinette to the bathrooms, she could see the traveling reign of terror of the spectral being, scrawls of enraged and spiteful messages littered across the walls, makeup and lipstick dripping like blood. Chloe had ran out of school early, and while Ladybug was right after her, Juleka lagged behind in efforts to finish up and get her stuff home before running into battle.

 

Getting a tip from, of course, Chloe, on the ladyblog- Juleka was, vaulting over the buildings to the Grande Paris calling in sick, where Ladybug and Chloe were waiting in the lobby. She had clearly been a little late though, as they were dragging themselves out of the elevator.

 

Ladybug looked irritated, no surprise, while Chloe still looked absolutely manic. Like always, this was going to take careful precision. Her ears swiveled around as she gripped tightly to her ring.

 

Got a feeling Marinette’s gonna take anything.. and while Hawkmoth probably isn’t able to akumatize two people in a day.. since he hasn’t done that yet.. if Marinette snaps at her that’s something that could last.. Chloe’s always been kind of a grudge person.  

 

Right, easy peasy. Just gotta play mediator between ‘Mess Who Can’t Talk To Her Crush So It Boils Inside Her And Makes Her a Little Creepy At Some Points’ and ‘Literally Regina George And Heather Chandler’s Child And The Chick Who Locked You In The Bathroom’. Just it leave to me: ‘Lydia from Beetlejuice except she’s a furry and Momojirou’s love child’.

 

Her ear twitched as She strolled up to the small group, Chloe finishing up her fumbling shpeel.

 

”Was there anyone you got into any arguments lately? Anyone you might’ve pissed off?” Ladybug asked, her patience clearly wearing thin.

 

Chloe’s eyes narrowed for a moment, thinking, there was a flash of fear going across her gaze- mouthing ‘it can’t be..’, before she shook her head quickly- a smile going across her features as she flipped her hair.

 

”N-No way! Everyone loves me after all!” She said quickly, though her voice now clearly had a spark of doubt. Right. Ladybug just rolled her eyes, glancing at Juleka before looking back at Chloe.

 

”Right.. why don’t you go back up to your room, or something, we’ll do some more questioning and looking.” Ladybug urged, ushering her away, before facing Juleka when she was gone, letting out a tired sigh. “She’s hiding something. And this whole ‘investigation’ was practically a nightmare..”

 

”So sad I missed it” Juleka said sarcastically, tail curling before she glanced off at someone who caught her eye “Partner, do you know the phrase: the butler did it?”

 

...

 

”Well..” Butler Jean put a considering finger to his lips thoughtfully as he stood in front of them.

 

“I remember.. Ms Sabrina was there.. and she was sewing some.. oh what’s the word.. cosplays?” He shook his head “Something like that, upon Ms Bourgeois’s request.” He chuckled “She always loved dressing up, why I remember one time she and Mr Agreste—“

 

”Sir-“

 

”Right.” He refocused “And then Ms Chloe and Her got into quite an argument.. which ended with...”

 

...

 

’”Then just fucking leave!” Chloe spat, “Go and disappear in the fucking background like you always do you forgettable piece of trash!”’

 

...

 

”Jesus.” Juleka covered her mouth with her hand, and Ladybug’s eyes narrowed darkly.

 

“Im not surprised she said that..” Marinette muttered bitterly. Butler Jean shook his head tiredly

 

”It’s the worst fight they’ve ever been in, usually shouting indicates that an anime character has died but this..” He mumbled on, his eyebrows furrowed with sadness “I wasn’t there to see what sparked it, but I think it was an innocent question on why they were friends and Ms Sabrina’s answer wasn’t satisfactory in some way. And it escalated.”

 

”Disappear.. Sabrina..” Ladybug murmured, biting on her knuckle before her eyes snapped open “It’s Sabrina! There- How could’ve I missed her- it can’t be anyone else it’s-“

 

Then Juleka saw it, the slightest breeze that shouldn’t exist parting Ladybug’s hair towards her glowing red jewelry. Juleka shot her arm forward and grabbed hold of nothing, yanking it backwards and to the ground.

 

A loud Yelp of pain echoed through the foyer, Ladybug gasped and held tightly to her ears. Juleka growled, spinning her baton and slamming it onto the akuma- except she wasn’t there anymore.

 

Juleka paled as the faint sound of distorted giggling made her ears swivel.

 

”Was that—“

 

”It was!”

 

Suddenly the chime of an elevator interrupted them, Juleka whipped around and watched in horror as one of them started to close for a nonexistent rider, until reflected in the light of a butterfly visor, wearing a cruel grin, the door closed for an akumatized Sabrina Raincomprix.

 

The two panicked, Ladybug shouted her quick thanks as Juleka ran to the other lift, button mashing the elevator buttons- as the two clambered inside in a desperate race to Chloe’s room.

 

However as the door dinged open, Chloe’s voice came out of the security room instead of their room, as her shrieks came echoing down the other halls.

 

”SHE’S IN HERE!”

 

Juleka shot forward, sweat rolling down her forehead as they burst into the corridor, her ears swiveled around frantically as she could see Chloe wrestling with an invisible figure, being thrown into a table, before she well a gust of wind speed by her. Juleka slammed her pole where she thought where her waist was, only for the ground to shake as Vanisher slammed into the ground from tripping.

 

”Grab her bag!” Ladybug shouted,

 

”No! It’s the brooch!” Chloe yelled over her

 

Damn it girls she was in invisible what the fuck do you mean grab it?!

 

Vanished growled, and soon the spot where she was, was vacant. The loud stomping and tapping of feet reached her ears as the echoing in the halls did nothing to help her find her.

 

Chasing the invisible figure down the corridor, Ladybug no doubt close behind.

 

There were many slams on different doors, she almost went into the lift when she saw it open only to trust her gut to keep running as Vanisher continued to try and throw her off her track before the beautiful sounds of Ladybug’s voice shouted—

 

“Lucky charm!”

 

Juleka didn’t stop to look, trying to keep her eyes and ears on the tapping shoes and the sounds of effort Vanisher made as she dodged another throw of her staff.

 

”Panthera!” Ladybug shouted, finally catching her attention and throwing the jar of sparkling glitter towards her. Juleka skidded to a stop to catch it, however it broke out of her hands and skattered across the floor in a glimmering heap as Chloe shoved by her.  Juleka’s eyes widened.

 

”Chloe!?” Ladybug and her shouted at the same time, before Juleka ran after the two girls and Ladybug hung back to stare at her ruined charm. Juleka kept her pace up before Chloe tackled Vanisher to the ground.

 

”Don’t let go!” Juleka shouted, 

 

Chloe grimaced before grinning tauntingly “Really Sabrina? Who knew you’d be such a petty bitch out of jealousy?!” 

 

”Jealousy?!” Vanisher snarled, making Juleka and Chloe momentarily freeze. It sounded like three voices layered on top of each other, one Sabrina’s, one a gnarled, deep, and goose bump chilling, and the other sounding like the other sounding like the feedback of a broken radio. “You think I did this because of jealousy?!”

 

”I don’t have friends because of you!” Vanisher shouted “I gave up everything for you- because I cared about you- BECAUSE I GAVE A SHIT ABOUT YOU! I HURT PEOPLE, FOR YOU! SO I WOULDN’T BE FUCKING ALONE!”

 

Vanished slammed her foot against Chloe’s wrist, Juleka’s stomach dropped as she heard a horrible cracking sound, and the akuma broke free as Chloe wailed in pain and stared up at her, eyes wide like dinner plates.

 

”I have nothing.. so that’s why I took the chance Hawkmoth gave me! I’m never letting you hurt me like this ever fucking again!” The girl that was once Sabrina screamed, her faceless voice echoing through the halls.

 

”You threw so many of my years away- You threw me away..! And for what?! If anyone here is jealous, it’s you! I-I wish I never met you!” Vanisher spat, her voice making only the slightest tremble, before the akuma turned and bolted again towards the elevators.

 

Chloe just laid there frozen, clutching her wrist as Ladybug finally caught up to the gothic hero.

 

”Catch her!” Ladybug shouted as Juleka mindlessly nodded and pounced after the girl, her long legs carrying her in strides that made her meet Vanisher’s pace within seconds. 

 

The doors were closing, and Juleka didn’t have time to lose, as she threw herself forward and slammed into Vanisher’s back, sending them tumbling into the elevator. The last thing Juleka saw before the door’s closed, was Marinette’s enraged expression.

 

...

 

There was a long moment for silence. The hotel air was cold, and suffocating. It was terrifyingly quiet, and Chloe could hear the creaking in the floorboards, and the soft jingle of equipment as Ladybug slowly moved towards the door to the stairs.

 

”L-Ladybug—“ Chloe started, her voice uncharacteristically weak, the blonde felt the sweat roll off her brow. The wasted lucky charm rolled across the ground near her throbbing wrist.

 

Ladybug just snapped her head around and Chloe felt her legs stagger from the scalding glare the hero in red sent her. Her hands still caked in the glitter she fruitlessly tried to pick up.

 

Her throat went try when all Ladybug said was “This is all your fault. You should’ve just stayed out of the way.”

 

And left.

 

She left.

 

Chloe fell to her knees, reaching weakly forward at the hero’s back. As her light flickered away. As that damned back stayed turned.

 

”W-Wait..!” She said quietly, as she hopelessly stretched her hand forward. “Wait.!”

 

There was no answer, just the hurried shuffling of an annoyed woman who wanted nothing to do with her. Chloe felt her eyes burning with tears as her head hung low, sprained wrist aching with pain, and the single phrase echoed through her mind.

 

This. Is. All. Your. Fault.

 

It sounded terrifyingly similar to her own. I’m alone. She realized. I’m alone.

 

And soon.. grief.. was replaced.. by rage.

 

...

 

Juleka slammed Vanisher off her back, running backwards into the wall. She could hear Vanisher slump in pain, before Juleka found herself being flipped over- her back shattering the button board. Promptly sticking them inside the now jammed lift.

 

Vanisher let out a roar of anger and she could hear the girl kick herself off the wall, Juleka, unsure where to duck, just threw herself towards the ground and landing on her hands, shot her heels backward into Vanisher’s back, before getting her tail yanked and throwing Juleka into another side of the elevator.

 

”Don’t get in my fucking way!” Vanisher snarled, her voice echoing through the small elevator. “Once I’m done with you, Chloe, and Ladybug, I’m moving onto my horrible excuses of some classmates.. they watched me suffer for years.. not reaching out at all for me! Like my pain was invisible!”

 

You’re the one who didn't accept our help! Juleka’s internal anger spat back. She gripped tightly to her ring, knuckles going white as she turned and punched blindly into the air, the feeling of contact bringing through her fist as Vanisher slammed into the door, before slumping with pain. Juleka let out a low chuff.

 

“Look- not to give any ideas but I’m a bit of a horror fan- this whole akuma thing you have going on right now could’ve been WAY cooler if you could be both Sabrina and Vanisher- like switching through? Cause like- no one would even suspect it was you- god Hawkmoth you are impractical” Juleka said, her ears pricking as she heard Vanisher softly laugh.

 

”Finish it already.. you mangy cat..” Vanisher spat, Juleka was about to comply when she paused. Her hand hovered in the air, as she stared into the space of nothingness.

 

Juleka just sat on the ground, crossing her legs calmly in the large elevator and made no move.

 

”Huh?”

 

”What?” Juleka rose an eyebrow “We’re gonna be stuck in here. And my power hasn’t been cast yet. So why do it now?” She asked, tapping in her baton “Besides. Ladybug isn’t here so why free the akuma if it can escape and cause trouble?”

 

Vanisher said nothing.

 

Juleka just hummed in the silence, tapping her nails on the floor as she continued to stare at the nothingness, before speaking up again- she was always a lot nosier than people thought.

 

”So Sabrina—“

 

”Vanisher.” She corrected 

 

Juleka ignored her “What’s it with you and Chloe? Heard something from Butler.. whatever his name is.. that you two got into a fight about why you’re friends?” She asked as casually as possible. 

 

Vanisher just scoffed “Like that matters. I just came to the realization she didn’t fucking give a shit about me anymore. I’m just a tool to her. I should’ve known.. after all I’ve done.. I thought we were... I was just the lackey.. the side kick. I was nothing to her.. I never have been anything to her.. but.. but I thought.. I always thought if I was just.. just useful-“

 

There was a long silence, and despite the bluntness in Vanisher’s tone, Juleka knew there was a loss of truth in the spite dripping off of the akuma’s tongue. A fear. 

 

Juleka thought back as far as she could to every moment between Chloe and Sabrina she noticed, the class picture, Horrificator, Dark Cupid..

 

“..Chloe does care about you.” She said evenly, she could hear the akuma next to her shift with interest as Juleka continued, voice tasting stale as the words fell from her teeth “But you can’t hold onto that romantic idealization of her either. Even now, with all of this revenge you have going on, you still have this set vision of her you’re holding onto and submitting to.”

 

Her ear twitched as her nails tapped carefully on the ground. Her eyes narrowed for a moment at the silence but she didn’t let it stop her. Her muscles ached with pain and her ears swiveled with each echo and short breath she could hear.

 

“It’s unhealthy. Right now, for you two to have an actual friendship, which I do think Chloe wants surprisingly, it’s you who needs to set the boundaries or else Chloe is just going to control your world. And that’s not good at all, Sabrina.” Juleka continued, knees scrunched up to her chest “You’re ‘usefulness’ doesn’t dictate your worth.”

 

Juleka let her tail twist around and feel for Sabrina’s body, before she reached out and patted her on the head softly. She could feel the akuma’s soft hair under her hand as she combed through it. Jeez.. when did she get so gushy inside.

 

“You two are partners in crime- You’re her Panthera to her slightly more egotistical Ladybug-“ She heard Sabrina laugh “and well- I know who I am, Sabrina. I’m the Panthera Noire, so take it from me, you aren’t the side kick. So don’t let her treat you like one because she has some fucking problems”

 

There was a long silence. For a moment, a flicker of fear bubbled in Juleka’s chest as she wondered if or how Sabrina would take her words. Would she except them, ignore them, lunge for her ring?

 

”What comes after that.. is what happens, and I know you’ll be strong enough to get through it. Alone or not, but you’ve got me in your corner to support you.”

 

Vanisher sucked in an uneasy breath “You know I won’t remember this right? This whole.. ‘lesson’? Akumas forget everything”

 

“Well yeah, but I’ve been referring to you as Sabrina this entire conversation haven’t I? I don’t think Sabrina is an akuma” Juleka said, a smile curling at her lips.

 

“Oh” There was a long silence again “I—“ Vanisher didn’t have much to say anymore.

 

”I’m so alone..” Sabrina whimpered, Juleka could see small, droplets of tears hit the floor. “I’m scared of going back.. to school.. and be just as invisible as I am now.. and I’m.. I’m scared.. of being unable to.. to..”

 

”Sabrina..” Juleka softly murmured, “You’re not alone..”

 

Sabrina let out a trembling sob, and Juleka spoke again “Chloe was right about the akuma right? The brooch?”

 

She watched as a bright butterfly image flowed in front of her, illuminating and revealing the face of the girl Sabrina Raincomprix, her violet eyes wet with tears. Sabrina winced for a moment, seeming to fight back the control of the monster, but managed to push through.

 

The akumatized girl nodded- plucking the small rose brooch off her sweater, and pressed it gently into Juleka’s hands, though they didn’t let go.

 

Juleka stared at Sabrina and pulled her a hug. Her hand cradled by Sabrina’s as they were frozen for a moment, before pulling away. And together, they crushed the brooch in their hands.

 

There was a beat of nothing, before the butterfly crinkled out of the pin, stretching its tiny, violet wings, and fluttered upwards almost a little confusedly. Pausing. Waiting. Before suddenly the darkness itself was sucked out of the creature entirely and the pure white butterfly fluttered away.

 

”It.. purified itself?” Juleka murmured confusedly, “But why would it..”

 

”Guess he thought I was a lost cause..” Sabrina mumbled, Juleka looked down at the reformed girl, her eyes still sunken and wet with tears. “I.. remember it.”

 

Juleka crouched back down in front of her ”Everything?”

 

”No..” Sabrina shook her head, rubbing her eyes shakily as her voice rasped “Just what you said.. I-I’m tired. I- I just wanna go home.”

 

Juleka nodded, parting her hair sadly. She sniffled, pushing the hair out of her face for a moment before pulling Sabrina into another long soft hug, her arms wrapping around the shorter girl the same way she’d do for Rose on the days they talked about Rose’s dad. With a soft strength and firmness that seemed to anchor them to each other.

 

Sabrina just let out another shaking sob, holding tightly to Juleka’s back. Juleka wished she should just hold her classmate forever as she combed her claws carefully through her locks.

 

She was just so small. So scared.. Juleka had- God she had no idea. She was so blind for so long how could she- how could she not see Sabrina. She was invisible. Just like her.

 

”I’m so tired..” Sabrina whimpered

 

”I know.. I know..” Juleka voiced softly me too, before standing up and smiling. Her soft emerald eyes filled with a warmth that she didn’t want Sabrina to feel cold without ever again. She wouldn’t let her classmate’s suffer in silence like this, never ever again. “Let’s get you home, kay? Maybe some therapy?”

 

Sabrina let out a hollow laugh as Juleka just silently picked her up, and she cataclysmed the elevator door.

 

...

 

Exiting the Grande Paris, she brought Sabrina to her father, doing her best not to glare at him. This wasn’t about her, this was about her friend.

 

”Officer Raincomprix I think your daughter needs to go to therapy to work out some stuff..” Juleka said in a whispered away from the bustling and overwhelming press as she put a comforting hand on Sabrina’s shoulder.

 

”Are you saying my daughter is messed-“

 

”Papa.” Sabrina started, gulping as she just shook her head at him “I.. I think I need it? I’d be happy if I could go see someone.”

 

Roger blanched a bit, looking split as he glanced at her at Juleka. The cat hero gave a slightly smug look at him.

 

”Sir, I just want to help so your girl doesn’t have to go through this again. You understand, don’t you?” Juleka smiled, teeth glimmering a little threateningly. Roger just sniffed and gave a smile at his daughter, holding her hand.

 

”Right, we can go contact someone, sweetheart.” Roger said, giving one more glance at her as he pulled his daughter away from the press. 

 

Juleka sighed, clutching her wrist a bit as she slipped away. She leapt up onto the top of the Grande Paris, but as she turned to leave, her heart feeling heavy as she walked Sabrina and her father drive away, she heard a familiar whizzing sound.

 

She sighed with relief, running a hand through her hair “Ah, Partner, there you are. I dealt with Sabrina, though I didn’t see the Miraculous Cure but I’m guessing you handled that. Something happened with the butterfly though and—“

 

Juleka turned around, and her stomach dropped.

 

Standing, instead of Marinette- swinging with yo-yo in hand- was not her partner. This reeked the feeling of vile, vile energy. Distorted. Just like an akuma. Juleka stumbled back instinctually.

 

Everything about this was wrong. The red and black of the suit were not supposed to look that way. There were not supposed to be two akumas in one day t-that was just..

 

She swallowed the lump in her throat as she could hear the beeping in her ring echo

 

..no it was not impossible. Because here Chloe Bourgeois stood, demented grin stretching across her masked face- in an inverted version of Marinette’s once hope inducing hero suit.

 

”Hey.” Antibug purred, swinging her yo-yo around lazily “Kitty.”

 

Panthera was afraid.

 

 

Notes:

Sabrina snapped man. Fuck subtly and stealth yknow?

 

I love Chlobrina Brotp Friendship whatever whatever so much, but man Sabrina just needed to go feral this chapter.

This was

Hoo this was fun

Sabrina needs a hug and like
More screen time

Anyways this chapter was inspired by this Vanisher Rewrite I read called “I Wear Her Face” by Bringtheraincomprix which is hella good

Play Disobedient from Steven Universe for Vanisher vibes

Chapter 27: Antibug

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Juleka yelped, ducking another swing of Antibug’s yo-yo. Antibug growled, dodging to the side, wrapping it around a chair leg and slamming it into the cat hero’s back.

 

She screamed in pain, tumbling across the ground as she felt it shattered to pieces against her suit, sending splinters falling everywhere.

 

Using her pole she threw herself out of the way of Antibug’s kick to where her head once was, however she found herself falling and skidding down one of the rafters, hanging by her pole which got stuck underneath the railing, which was soon slipping.

 

Antibug saw it and ran to grab it. Juleka winced, cutting her losses, as she let go, crashing into the pavement.

 

The cement cracked beneath her and she rolled across the street, before pouncing back onto the top of a different roof top, to where Antibug quickly followed in a whizz of her yo-yo.

 

Why can’t I lose her? Juleka thought, skidding under a series of vents before spinning over the railing again and moving to the streets again, looking up just in time to block a flying yo-yo as Antibug’s cackling echoed through the city. Her heart rate spiked more as she heard her ring beep more indignantly.

 

Looking around, she dove underneath one of the cars as a few moments Antibug landed on the street, spinning her yo-yo menacingly as she whipped it around, practically sawing and cleaving through the cement.

 

”Come out kitty kitty..” Antibug bit out

 

Juleka struggled to breath correctly, looking for a place to run. She could see that the hotel doors were locked as multiple of the police and film crew had ran inside for cover at the sight of Antibug’s arrival and clash with the cat hero, and she was cornered between those doors, and the monster behind the cars.

 

Juleka covered her mouth to not scream as she saw Antibug practically smash one of the cars to pieces on one side. Looking around frantically, her eyes peered downwards and found—

 

“Perfect.”

 

...

 

Antibug slowly approached the last police car, swinging her yo-yo down and cleaving it in half. She grinned, looking through to see where the cat hero was, only to find nothing there.

 

”What the!?” She sputtered in confusion

 

Find her, Antibug! Now!” Hawkmoth’s voice roared, applying a sting inside her mind. Antibug growled, clenching her head tightly in pain.

 

”Sure whatever..!” She huffed, turning to break a fire hydrant to release her still boiling anger, and swinging out.

 

...

 

Juleka slumped down tiredly in the sewers, barely closing the manhole quickly enough when the sounds of Antibug’s muffled roars of rage. She felt the magic around her crackle off of her, leaving her as herself.

 

She crouched on the floor, tired.

 

”Shit shit shit..” She mumbled, “Okay.. okay breath.. breath Juleka.. what do I do.. what do I do..”

 

She fumbled for her phone but paused when realizing she couldn’t just call Marinette. Juleka buried her head in hands, hair rolling down her shoulders as she could hear Plagg helping himself to some string cheese she had in her pocket.

 

”Blegh” Plagg stuck his tongue out

 

”Are you done?” Juleka asked, raising an eyebrow tiredly.

 

”Fortunately!” Plagg said, swallowing the last of it “It tastes like.. ugh.. like lint.”

 

So all knowing.

 

”I don’t know what I’m gonna do” Juleka mumbled “Where the hell is Marinette?”

 

”Why does that matter?” The cat god asked

 

”You know exactly why.” Juleka hissed, standing to her feet “Antibug’s been keeping me on the ropes this entire time.. is this how it’d feel like fighting Marinette?”

 

Plagg shrugged, flying around her “Probably, but remember, Copycat was pretty asskicking too.”

 

”We don’t speak of Copycat” She snorted, scratching him behind his ear before hearing a loud crash, making the sewer water ripple. “Shite. Ah think she’s getting angry.”

 

”Definitely” Plagg yawned “Maybe we should take a cat nap until our Ladybug gets here.”

 

”Nope” Juleka shook her head, dark eyes narrowing as she gripped tightly to her ring. “Plagg, Claws out!”

 

”Daaaaaamn ittt—“

 

Juleka flicked her hair out of her masked face and made her way down the sewers a bit before opening up another manhole cover and peeking her head back outside.

 

Antibug was laying waste to the street, swinging around chaotically, hooting and hollering for Panthera’s name.

 

Jumping out of the sewers, she landed back onto the cracked street and whistled for Antibug’s attention, looking for anything that could’ve been the akuma. The yo-yo? Maybe. The weapon being akumatized was common, but that felt too easy.. but wait, no usually it was obvious. Where—

 

She took too much time to think as she narrowly dodged an attack by Antibug, who attempted to throw a broken fire hydrant at her.

 

Almost slipping in the ground, which had a about a inch thick layer of water on it, Juleka jumped back to the top of the Grande Paris, knowing Antibug was close behind. However she didn’t make it far as she was slammed into the ground by Antibug.

 

They rolled a couple feet, Juleka landing on top of her. She grinned, however her punch was blocked by Chloe’s hand and yanked away from her body, sending her flying several feet.

 

Juleka scrambled across the ground, watching as Antibug’s yo-yo was smashed inches away from her face every few moments, before she flipped backwards and landed a spinning kick to the akuma’s face.

 

The moment of short victory didn’t last long though, as she found her leg wrapped in wire and was sent flying into the side wall.

 

”There you are, kitty kitty..” Antibug purred. “What’s wrong? Can’t handle a good cat fight?”

 

Juleka stared up dizzily at her, struggling to get back at her feet. Her muscles ached with pain and she felt her fatigue from the Vanisher fight begin to dribble in again. However, now that she was up close, she noticed something.

 

One of the things about Juleka was that she got bored easily. She would spend her time staring, watching, listening. And one thing she knew, was that Chloe was right handed.

 

So why was she swinging the yo-yo with her left..?

 

‘”I don’t have friends because of you!” Vanisher shouted “I gave up everything for you- because I cared about you- BECAUSE I GAVE A SHIT ABOUT YOU! I HURT PEOPLE, FOR YOU! SO I WOULDN’T BE FUCKING ALONE!”

 

Vanished slammed her foot against Chloe’s wrist, Juleka’s stomach dropped as she heard a horrible cracking sound, and the akuma broke free as Chloe wailed in pain and stared up at her, eyes wide like dinner plates.’

 

Juleka’s eyes widened before yelping as she dodged Antibug’s crushing foot. 

 

She crawled through Antibug’s legs and ran through the balcony, leaping off the wall and dodging around. Juleka slammed her pole against Antibug’s side, poking and prodding at her, before jumping to the side and swinging towards Antibug’s right arm.

 

Antibug let out a wail of pain, clutching her arm as she stumbled backwards. It really is sprained!

 

Juleka jumped backwards and ran towards the glass pool covering before feeling her legs give under her as Antibug swung her yo-yo and tied them together.

 

Juleka slammed into the tile, before being flipped over onto her back and getting a punch to the face.

 

She grimaced in pain, moving to reach whatever she could, and instinctively, her hands shot towards her earrings. Antibug’ eyes widened and immediately grabbed Juleka’s claws, using her knee to pin them to the ground and punching her again.

 

Antibug lifted Juleka by the collar, caressing her cheek in a way that could only be described as masochistically tender.

 

“Why don’t you be my kitty instead?” Antibug suggested, eyes glimmering “I’m way cooler!”

 

”Nah..” Juleka drawled, blood dripping from her nose “I prefer my partner, the original is a lot more enjoyable!”

 

Antibug snarled and Juleka took another blow to the head, she was sure how much she could take anymore as she felt her cheek burn and vision grow more dazed. The glass beneath her cracked and her fear spiked, as she could hear the water beneath them ripple.

 

”..Besides, if you were really like my partner,” Juleka grinned, teeth gleaming “You’d make sure to watch out for your left!”

 

”My left?” Antibug repeated confusedly, her head spinning in that direction- before Juleka uppercutted her in the jaw- sending the akuma flying off of her.

 

”Bad kitty!” Antibug spat, spinning her yo-yo around, albeit a little dizzily “Come here and get your leash back!”

 

Juleka’s ear twitched “Why do people think I’m into that?!”

 

Antibug opened her mouth to say something but suddenly a familiar whizzing sound reached their ears and Juleka grinned.

 

Slamming into the ground and practically glowing with power, Ladybug effortlessly blocked an attack from Antibug with her own yo-yo and gave a smile at the cat hero befor facing forward

 

”Nice yo-yo! Mine is better” She quipped, spinning her yo-yo smugly

 

”You took a while, Partner” Juleka purred, brushing the hair out of her face as she leaned close to Ladybug.

 

”Sorry about that, Tikki was taking a while to eat today” Ladybug said “Akuma?”

 

Juleka thought for a moment “Earrings, got real defensive when I reached for them.”

 

”Right” Ladybug nodded, as they both yelped and bounced away from Antibug’s whipping yo-yo. Juleka flipped backwards onto one of the lights, before joining Ladybug higher up on the roof.

 

”Her right wrist is sprained” Juleka said, turning to the slightly surprised Ladybug “If we can hit it, we can stun her momentarily to tie her up or something.”

 

”Right!” Ladybug nodded, before standing up and throwing her yo-yo into the air “Lucky charm!”

 

She and Antibug watched as the light shown above the red hero and falling into her hands were—

 

“A bag of marbles? What am I supposed to do with this?!” Ladybug sputtered

 

“Haha! That’s what you got? How pathetic! Unlike you, I get what I want!” Antibug taunted, throwing her yo-yo in the air “Anti-charm!”

 

Juleka and Ladybug watched in horror as culminating in the dark black and red light, a gigantic busted sword fell into Antibug’s hands, as she cackled.

 

”She gets what she wants, Partner. Not what she needs.” Juleka reassured quickly before pausing. Huh. That was strangely poetic. She thought, before turning to Marinette and flashing an encouraging smile “You’ve got this!”

 

Juleka gave a salut and threw herself off the roof, landing safely on the tile just in tile to almost get her head cleaved off by Antibug’s dragging swing. The akuma winced in pain, no doubt the weight of the sword aching through her sprained arm.

 

Juleka took the opportunity to swing at the akuma with her pole, as it clanged against Antibug’s appoint metal, as they messily threw themself into a dance of swords.

 

Antibug’s strength was already failing her as she attempted to fight one handed with the gigantic red sword. Her sprained hand no doubt aching too much.

 

Juleka sprung back onto the glass covering, feeling nervous slightly as she felt it creak a little under her weight, especially when Antibug jumped onto it and her large sword began to scrape against it.

 

The cat hero continued to move, trying to tire her out, frustrate her. She dodged beneath, over, even standing on top of the sword as Antibug swung around aimlessly. Chloe wanted to destroy, she wanted to hurt, but that’s not what she could do. Not like this.

 

”Stop moving you piece of shit!” Antibug shouted, eyes blazing with fury and burning with.. tears? “Just stop running away! Stop it!”

 

Juleka leapt backwards off the pool covering and watched as Antibug swung a little too hard and clumsily wobbled forward, unbalanced. Juleka grinned and ran her now glowing hand over the blade.

 

”Cataclysm!”

 

The weapon dissolved into dust and when Antibug continued to stumble forward, a sudden pour of marbles scattered across the floor and Juleka watched as Antibug ate shit into the ground.

 

Helping pinning her to the ground, Ladybug wrapped Antibug with her yo-yo.

 

The blonde glared at them “You can’t do anything without your Panthera Noire, you’re useless without her! Both of you are unexceptional..! We’re not different, we use people for our own gain, so what’s wrong with me, huh?! Tell me! Tell me I’m wrong!”

 

Ladybug didn’t say anything, Juleka wasn’t sure if either of them could, until Ladybug found her words.

 

”You’re right” She answered, surprising the akuma “But it’s because we’re both partners, Chloe. We help complete each other. However that doesn’t mean either of us our worthless on our own.”

 

Chloe was silent.

 

”..Maybe you should figure out your priorities” Marinette said, and after taking off of the akuma’s glistening earrings, she carefully crushed them.

 

The violet butterfly fluttering out of the ruined jewelry and being caught by Ladybug’s yo-yo.

 

Chloe crumpled to the ground, tired and defeated. Juleka stared quietly at her. Damn it.. She thought, signings

 

Carefully picking up the many scattered marbles, Ladybug casted the cure, Juleka’s bruises and aches disappearing. She peaked into the hotel, seeing the vandalized room of Chloe’s room fixed up along with the many damages of the terrace.

 

“Bye bye little butterfly..”

 

Juleka smiled and gave a fist bump to Ladybug “Good work.”

 

”Ladybug, Panthera?”

 

Juleka turned to see Chloe, staring up at them a little dazedly, clutching her now healed wrist a little nervously, glancing between them.

 

Her face softened, it was the most gentle she had ever see the girl in front of her. Her ears unknowingly flattened against her head and she gave an awkward nod to the heiress. Come on come on don’t do it Couffaine..

 

She glanced back at Chloe who was doing her best to keep up her haughty persona to Ladybug.

 

”Hmph! I guess I’ll accept being your biggest fan again! H-Hah!”

 

However like glamour, Juleka couldn’t help but see the cracks and breaks in the mask and how much it made her stomach drop to see the true face. Eventually as Chloe left for the stairs, she could hear Ladybug’s earrings beep.

 

She knew this was coming. Juleka rubbed her face Damn it damn it why am I doing this..

 

Juleka sucked in an uneasy breath and faced towards the stairs again, where she noticed Chloe had stopped walking inside. Just awkwardly hiding and curled up at the top in the shadows of the stairwell. The lump in her throat had not been swallowed rightly just yet as her tail lashed.

 

”Partner, why don’t you go.. I think I’m gonna hang around a bit longer.” She murmured.

 

Ladybug eyebrows rose with surprise “Is everything okay?”

 

Juleka just gave a weak smile, giving Ladybug’s hand a soft squeeze before she nodded “Yes, yes I’m okay. You go and have a good rest of your day, ‘Kay?”

 

Ladybug smiled “Okay, good work today Panthera, I’ll see you later”

 

And she was gone.

 

...

 

Chloe stood inside the stairway, not ready to leave just yet as she rolled herself in a small ball, knees close to her chest.

 

I really am alone..

 

Then the sounds of echoing feet reached her ears and her head swiveled upwards.

 

And though she couldn’t see the figure outside the stairway, she could hear them.

 

”Plagg, Claws In.” Panthera’s voice whispered, and a flash of light shone outside the door.

 

Chloe slapped a hand over her face and froze on the spot. Trying to maintain her erratic breathing. She could her the soft murmurings of no doubt Panthera Noire.

 

Oh my god oh my god oh my god

 

She is literally right outside the doorway oh my god.

 

”Plagg, Claws Out.”

 

There was a longer silence as Chloe waited, and waited. Trying not to breath too hard and nervously. Before Panthera poked her head in and just smiled.

 

”Hello, beautiful” She purred, soft emerald eyes glistening in their soft, warm, gorgeousness “Thanks for waiting. It’s dark and gross on the floor, why don’t we talk outside where you glow so radiantly?”

 

Chloe’s face burned a bright red “W-Whu..”

 

Panthera just giggled her stupid laugh, dancing out into the doorway and leaning against it. Her dark long locks pooling down her shoulders and that smile. That damned smile!

 

”Outside, where it’s not dark and gloomy?” She repeated, before leaning close to Chloe’s face, barely inches apart “Were you planning on crying here of all places?”

 

”Huh?”

 

Panthera hummed and Chloe froze as she ran a finger under her eye, wiping away a tear she hadn’t realized she was shedding.

 

”Up you go-“

 

The cat hero pulled Chloe back to her feet and led her outside, the cop cars were mostly all gone, along with the news crew- which was surprising.

 

The two sat comfortably in front of each other on two lounge chairs. Panthera was spread out like a, well like a cat, while Chloe for once in her life was trying her best not to be as awkward as possible.

 

”So..” Panthera purred “Let’s talk”

 

”Talk?” Chloe squawked

 

”Yes”

 

”Talk about what?”

 

”Oh nothing, anything you want honestly.” Panthera said, waving her hand around “The sky, the birds, the view, your clearly crippling mental health—“

 

”What?-“

 

”Or hey maybe your plans for tonight” Panthera winked, as if she hadn’t just said what she said before. Chloe just blinked with surprise and confusion, jaw fallen. The twinkling mischief in Panthera’s eyes just eventually fell and the cat hero sighed.

 

It looked like a layer had been peeled off of her and Chloe watched as Panthera looked away from her. The sun was setting now, basking the city in dark reds. Panthera’s bangs lazily fell over her face, making the once bombastic super hero almost look.. melancholic? 

 

“Beautiful, is it not?”

 

Chloe sputtered for an answer “U-Uh yes! Yes pretty, very pretty, girl, no- I mean- view yes.”

 

Panthera giggled “Aw, the view huh? I thought you were talking about me. Shame.”

 

Chloe turned bright red “I wa- I mean- you- You little—!”

 

Panthera let out a soft laugh as Chloe angrily fumed, before she laid down on the lounge chair, her expression now slightly tired. Chloe continued to look at her.

 

They were in complete silence, neither doing anything, but it felt like laying in front of her, was an entirely different person.

 

”Can I ask you like, a quick question?” Panthera asked, Chloe was taken aback.

 

”Sure?” She answered. What’s she gonna say?

 

“Why are you so shitty at remembering people’s birthdays?”

 

Chloe blinked “What”

 

”Just answer, just- I’m wondering out pure curiosity”

 

”I-I- How do you-“

 

”Answer!” Panthera whined

 

”I don’t know?! My dad pampers me twenty four seven so like, there’s not really any difference between any other day so like, when it’s my birthday it’s not like it’s any different from any other day other than the fact that if I remember it I can rub it in other people’s faces?!” Chloe guessed, blinking with surprise “And.. I guess.. uhm..”

 

The silence that Panthera seemed to refuse to refill urged Chloe to keep talking.

 

”..I guess I kinda.. disconnected with people which connected to the idea of birthdays? And gifts?”

 

Panthera just hummed “Huh, makes sense”

 

”W-Why were you even aski—“

 

Panthera put a finger on Chloe’s lips and leaned closely to her face. The heiress’ cheeks darkened, her face feeling hotter by the second as she attempted to look away, only for Panthera to just lean closer.

 

Her eyes glanced into Panthera’s and all she could see was deep, dark, swirling and stunning green. But slowly, the burning feeling in her chest just slowly faded.

 

Panthera was still gorgeous, and god Chloe would definitely make out with her if she had the chance, who fucking wouldn’t? But the half lidded look in the cat hero’s eyes topped looking so bewitching and more.. contemplative. Studying.

 

More layers seemed to peel backwards as Chloe stared at her and She blanched a bit as Panthera leaned back, her soft slotted eyes staring at her. Panthera stopped looking like some alluring siren, and more like just some.. teenager. 

 

Again, still hot as hell but..

 

”What do you want in life?” Panthera asked

 

”Huh?” She blinked, snapping out of her daze a bit.

 

”Want? You want things, right? Queenie?” Panthera tilted her head to the side. Oh how Chloe hated being called that, especially by her. Chloe nodded hollowly

 

”I do..”

 

”And- how much of that do you think you actually could have?” Panthera questioned.

 

That bag she saw a few days ago? She had enough money to buy fifty of those whenever she wanted. But would she want it in a few days?

 

She supposed she could do for a boyfriend. Or girlfriend. She supposed. And she knew there were people everyone who would do anything to get a taste. But one that loved her? As if.

 

A loving relationship with her mother? Definitely not. B-But she was- she was just waiting. Audrey would see how exceptional she was soon, and she’d stay. Right?

 

Friends? She had-

 

Chloe’s shoulders fell. She wasn’t sure. She wasn’t sure if anything she’s wanted at this point was.. anything she still had now.

 

Panthera hummed “You know, it’s funny. I always kinda looked at you like- man that girl’s got everything. No wonder why she’s a brat.”

 

Chloe sputtered “H-Hey!”

 

”But now..” Panthera drawled, Chloe froze a bit as the cat hero’s husky and dark voice purred in her ear. Soft dilated eyes staring deep into her “You don’t have much at all, do you? What you want and need is something you have t been able to hold onto, or haven’t been given to you..”

 

Chloe’ eyes narrowed, shoving the cat’s face away “Shut up..”

 

”Hey..” Panthera rose her arms up “I gave Sabrina a long ass talk about her feelings, it only seems fair you get to have one as well.”

 

”Well?!” Chloe glared at her “Why don’t you go hang out with her then?! Sense she deserves just so much help right now!”

 

”You deserve help too.” Panthera said, making Chloe blink “Do you not think so?” She asked, ear twitching.

 

Chloe was silent, eyes stinging slightly with newly growing tears, and Panthera just softly patted her on the head

 

“We’ll work on that then.” She smiled softly, looking at her with a gentleness in her soft emerald eyes that seemed to contradict everything “Is there anything else you want to talk about?”

 

So so much. She wanted to so so much. She needed to.

 

Chloe sniffled “Yeah.”

 

Panthera just slowly pulled her into a hug.

 

...

 

Walking into class was.. the worst. 

 

She still felt like a literal mess, even thought it had been an entire weekend since.. it- and everything still felt.. soggy? Groggy? Sucky. Yeah sure that’ll do. Did all akumatized victims feel like this the morning after? Or was the long ass conversation she had with Panthera Noire really suck the life out of her that much?

 

Well, they did talk for a few hours after that long warm and so safe feeling hug, and when the hero finally left, Chloe remembers looking up and seeing the polluted clouded stars.

 

She wasn’t sure she was ready to face class yet though. Especially after what they’ve been through because of her, especiallt after because of the shitty moody she felt herself in, especially when Sabrina was there before her, for once.

 

Sanrina stared up at her, a little frozen. Still hovering over the desk in what looked like a conversation between her and Mylene.

 

Chloe steeled herself and awkwardly sat down on her seat, looking away. Trying to not meet her gaze, before she sucked in a breath.

 

”Well, don’t just stand there..” She said as casually as possible- trying not to sign with relief as Sabrina just smiled and sat down next to her.

 

”I’m going to therapy now” Sabrina said, Chloe rose an eyebrow

 

”Yeah?” 

 

Sabrina nodded, fumbling with a small object in her hands. Oh, it was the brooch she gave her. Chloe was surprised the girl still even had it.

 

”Yeah, uh, had the first session the day after... the day after. I think I cried a lot.” The ginger said quietly

 

”You okay?”

 

”Yeah!” Sabrina said, adjusting her glasses “Uh, it was, strangely nice? Like- felt a little freeing? Is that weird?”

 

Chloe was silent before shrugging a little softly, a smile going cross her face “I dunno, you tell me.”

 

And so Sabrina did, and Chloe listened.

 

 

Notes:

I don’t know how to feel about Panthera and Chloe’s conversation, I feel like I could’ve written it better but, yknow here we are.

Chloe’s mini crush on the hero has kinda disappeared though.

Good for Juleka, got a blonde off her back.

Chapter 28: You’re cool too

Notes:

Takes right after last chapter.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text



Chloe sighed as she got out of school, there was a slight drizzle coming down and as much as she wanted to get out of the rain, she couldn’t help but just.. stand there. Hands stuck in her pockets as it dripped down her cold face.

 

Her car was late, that was pretty obvious.

 

She was really exhausted.

 

And she could describe her ‘progress’ was slower than a dying snail. What her ‘progress’ was she.. didn’t have the humility to talk or admit.

 

Sabrina, bless her heart, was so unbelievably patient and kind to her still- it was infuriating in its own way but, god Chloe didn’t have the guts to break the girl down now. She was just happy to still be friends as mushy as that sentiment was.

 

She sighed, rubbing her eyes, she could feel her make up washing off her face, much to her disappointment. How utterly ridiculous, it said it was supposed to be water proof!

 

That being said it was.. hard.. to admit that Sabrina just looked.. kinda happier? Healthier. Loosened. Like a burden fell of her shoulders.

 

It made Chloe feel.. guilty.

 

She rubbed her wrist a bit, reimagining the pain she felt. The ache. The crunch. Vanisher's voice echoing in her head. Chloe wondered if Sabrina thought the same at all, if she still did.

 

No one so much as blinked much when they learned she got akumatized. Like some 'ugh finally' kind of sigh of relief.

 

She could see Adrien waving goodbye to Nino, walking to his car. He’s grown up so much.. What about me? What have I done? Panthera’s annoyingly smooth raspy voice continued to whisper in her ear. What do I want?

 

She glanced to another area where Sabrina was getting picked up by her dad. Chloe sighed.

 

Suddenly she felt the feeling of rain stop dripping on her, and she raised her head in confusion when she realized it was still raining. Alix stared down at her with those soft, unimpressed as always, sharp blue eyes and an umbrella over both of their heads.

 

”Hey.”

 

”..Hey.”

 

Alix sat next to her on the steps, albeit a step higher so there was some less awkward height difference as she continued to hold the umbrella between them. The only thing filling the silence being the puttering rain and the soft rumble of passing cars driving through the pools of puddles.

 

Who would ever guess that they used to be friends. They’d say “as if, maybe in a different time”. Which was almost true. It was a different time. A safer time. An easier time. But all of those fond memories were painted over with the icky blackness of the recent years, oozing from Chloe’s own heart.

 

”So like, are you okay?”

 

”Hm?” Chloe looked up again, finding herself distracted by the rain “What do you mean?”

 

Alix just rose an eyebrow, shaking her head “Uh, Antibug? Duh?”

 

Chloe pursed her lips, huffing “Why should you care, Kubdel?”

 

“Uh- Because being akumatized sucks ass?” Alix replied, picking at her teeth for a moment before spitting “I dunno dude, what else?”

 

Chloe just rose an eyebrow, looking away “Right..”

 

There a few more beats of silence, before Chloe could hear Alix shift a bit. She looked over, expecting the girl to leave but Alix just changed sitting positions. She never could sit in one single spot for long.

 

”So uhm.. Where’s your car?” Alix asked casually

 

”Late” Chloe mumbled.

 

”That’s a first”

 

”No” Chloe chuckled, tucking the hair behind her ear “Remember that one time, when we were like four?”

 

”Ooooh! That one sleepover!” Alix snapped, remembering “Yeah I do actually, nevermind.” A soft smile went on the skater’s face as she began to reminisce “We were like like- okay yeah we were watching movies, your mom was late and like, we heard that and were like- well damn we gotta make the most of this!”

 

Chloe giggled, “Yeah! And then Adrien in his excitement knocked over the candles we were trying to use to bring Mr Snuggley to life because when we asked Jalil for cookies he said only Mr Snuggley was allowed to-“

 

”But sense he was a fucking teddy bear he couldn’t talk, so like, dark magic was just the next step for us kids” Alix snorted, leaning on her elbow “Your’s mom’s face when she finally arrived! Priceless!”

 

”Oh!” Chloe perked up, a smile going across her face as she scorched a little closer to the girl “Remember? The koolaid—“

 

”Oh my god the koolaid-“

 

”-The koolaid incident’” Chloe snickered with her “That was a fun party. Nathalie was so mad.”

 

”Gee. And remember when we were the same fucking height?” Alix asked through gritted teeth, though there was no malice behind her angry voice. Chloe snorted

 

”There was a time?” She jokingly asked, earning a punch in her shoulder “Midget. Your mom always said you just needed more time, when me and Adrien got taller.”

 

That made Alix pause, “Yeah.. She did.”

 

They were thrown back in silence. Chloe felt her smile fall. Well. You messed it up. She looked away. God this was uncomfortable.

 

”Why didn’t you come to the funeral?” Alix asked, voice clear and careful. Just a genuine question.

 

Chloe winced, looking away. It had been five years since then. Since Alix’s mother’s passing. Alix had pulled away after that, and Chloe pushed people who weren’t fun or to her expectations away. So you could expect what happened.

 

Alix wasn’t happy anymore, and she couldn’t just- she couldn’t do anything about it so she let it be. She hadn’t even made an attempt to reach out so.. Chloe ignored her at school, and Alix was fine with it. Chloe stopped talking to her at parties, and Alix was fine with it- They were fine it-

 

“I..” Chloe started, eyes searching for an answer she wasn’t even sure of “..I.. didn’t.. want to.” Chloe mumbled into her hand, eyes squeezing shut at the lie.

 

Alix’s eyes narrowed, “If Aunt Emilie had a funeral would you go to hers?” She asked bitterly.

 

Chloe’s head snapped towards her, did she just-

 

“She doesn’t need one, they’ll find her!” Chloe exclaimed, 

 

”Oh sure. Find her dead body.” Alix huffed, leaning away a bit, the umbrella moving with her. Chloe shoved her shoulder against hers.

 

”Don’t say that!” The blonde shouted, water splashing around them. “Don’t you care!?”

 

”Of course I do!” Alix threw her hands up, sending the umbrella flying across the pavement as the two stood up to glare at each other eye to eye “That’s why I’ve fucking moved on!”

 

Chloe blinked, whatever scalding words she had on her tongue gone in an instant as Alix lifted up her hand began to count her fingers bitterly. The rain pouring down on them.

 

“I moved on from my Mom, I’ve moved on from Aunt Emilie, I’ve moved on from you—“ She took in a deep shuddering breath, shoulders shaking as she paused “—which is why- god why am I here-“ She wondered out loud, looking up at Chloe weakly “It’s why.. I just wanted to say.. that I’m sorry you got akumatized or something..”

 

Chloe searched her face, feeling the rain drip down her cold cheeks ”Why?”

 

”Cause..” Alix gave an exhausted and irritated smile, wiping a hand through her dripping pink hair “..cause I give a shit? About you? I still.. care about you? Even though I shouldn’t anymore? After we stopped talking to eachother for good reasons?”

 

Chloe stared at her in silence, the rain pouring on both of them as it seeped through their clothes.

 

Alix sighed heavily, kicking at the ground, splashing across the pavement near Chloe’s feet as she looked off. Chloe didn’t know how to respond.

 

”W-Whatever.” The Egyptian girl huffed, turning away as she checked her pocket watch. The one Chloe broke carelessly, despite knowing how much it meant to her “I’ll just go, you’re probably sick of me already. You don’t have to force yourself to talk to ‘peasants’ like me or whatever.”

 

Chloe just watched Alix stomp away, and she could see her own limo rolling up finally.

 

Good, she was sick of the rain; however before she could make her way over, she found herself looking down at the ground, and she could see her own reflection. Makeup gone, hair a drenched mess now, and eyes tired. It was her.

 

Chloe sighed, glancing up between the car and Alix before she stepped forward and plucked the umbrella of the ground. I want to be better for them. She thought, Sabrina and Adrien’s face in her mind. Because I care about them.

 

Chloe looked up at where Alix was stomping off to and began to walk after her. And I care about her. And I care about us and-

 

“Hey Alix!”

 

The girl turned around in confusion, as Chloe awkwardly held the umbrella out.

 

”Don’t..” She wanted to look away so she wouldn’t have to look at those soft gleaming blue eyes “..Don’t get sick.”

 

Alix stared at her and slowly reached out and took hold of the umbrella, before Chloe fully passed it over, fingers lingering on the girl’s touch before her hands fell at her sides again. She could hear the soft rumble of thunder in the background.

 

”I’m..” Chloe shifted on her feet, tucking a hair behind her ear as her voice choked weakly “I’m sorry.. that I missed the funeral. I- I didnt know how to process it so, I just avoided it. I- uhm. I missed you- or or- no- shoot- I mean-“

 

Alix just gave a soft chuckle, turning away. Chloe felt her gut sink a bit more before the girl glanced back at her again. Her blue eyes soft, and if there were tears in them, Chloe said nothing.

 

”..Yeah.” Alix smiled, looking up at her, nodding “You’re.. cool. I uh- I missed you too, Chlo. You’re fun, we should hang out some time.”

 

Chloe blinked, tugging at her cardigan a little awkwardly “Yeah uh, you’re cool too. Let’s, let’s do that”

 

And so Alix left. The rain prickling down on her dark umbrella, while Chloe could feel a soft warmth bloom in her chest for a moment, before she turned and stepped into the car, shaking off the water on her.

 

”Sorry we were late Ms Bourgeois t-the rain was causing some terrible traffic, do you need a towel or..?”

 

Chloe leaned on her elbow again, staring out the window “Yeah that’d be great.”

 

Maybe things were gonna get better..

 

...

 

”Ugh. I couldn’t sleep at all last night!” Alix groaned tiredly

 

”You know what they say about that, it means someone’s thinking about you” Kim teased, his face getting pushed away by Alix.

 

”Incorrect Kim, there wouldn’t be any association with that” Max said, adjusting his glasses

 

”But still..” Kim drawled

 

Alix huffed, rubbing her eyes ”God, who the hell is thinking about me at two am?”

 

A few rows down, Chloe sat in her seat, face down on the table. 

 

DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT— She screamed internally I JUST GOT OVER PANTHERA THIS WASN’T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!

 

Yeah, definitely not.

 

 

Notes:

Wanted to write a moment between these two, was supposed to be making Simon Says but, I think they needed a moment?

Poor Chloe, girl doesn’t get a break

Anyways- HAHA UNINTENTIONALLY MADE AN UMBRELLA SCENE BUT WHATEVER

I ended up posting twice today, this was the first post

Chapter 29: Simon Says

Summary:

Jackady sounds cooler than Simon Says
But I can make more puns out of Simon Says

Also yes I finished two chapters in one day hoo boy I’m exhausted

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

There was only about three people other than herself that could truthfully say that they have been inside Juleka’s room. Luka, Anarka, and Rose.

 

Luka obviously, sense they shared the damn thing. Privacy was never a thing in the Couffaine house anyway, before and after Panthera Noire. Though now, it was becoming less frequent for the two other parties.

 

The idea of Rose walking in and seeing Juleka detransform, or Plagg snacking on some cheese, was a horrifying thought that’d make Juleka spiral for hours until she could temporarily forget about that idea; and Anarka was just getting busier, but that wasn’t new, and wasn’t bad either. Juleka wasn’t sure what would happen if she told her mother the truth.

 

Part of her mind constantly asked— Why are we hiding it from her? Luka knows, there’s only her left. She has the right to know! But she.. she just couldn’t. Not yet.

 

“How long have you had it, again?”

 

That being said, letting Rose play with her hair as the goth sat, leaning her back on her bed while the girl looked around the twin jointed room and the tv played in the background of Rose’s babbling voice was still nice. Looking up, she could see Rose was looking at her purple, worn out bass.

 

”Oh for like..” Juleka thought for a moment, rolling a finger through her hair “..years? We can’t really afford to buy a new one.. you know how money is tight.”

 

Rose wilted a bit “Yeah I know.. that always makes me sad..”

 

“It’s okay, we’re fine aren’t we?” Juleka quickly said with a smile “We just-“

 

The door opened and the two looked up to see Anarka trudging into the Couffaine boat, looking drenched in sweat and smelling slightly of gasoline. She made one trip into her room and Juleka could hear the showers turn on.

 

”Long day at work?” Rose guessed and Juleka hummed in response as running inside after Anarka was a cat that had been visiting more recently. It spotted her and skittered into the room and giving her a quick rub on the leg, bolted under her bed.

 

The two giggled, looking at it as it snuggled inside one of the many jackets she had just thrown under there before pulling back up again.

 

“Your mom works hard.” Rose said

 

“Yeah she does. Three jobs, plus side gigs she..” Juleka picked at her finger nails “..she works real hard for all of us.”

 

Money was easier with him around but this was still better. Right? Juleka’s eyes narrowed No.. we were fine when he was around I just needed to suck it up. It was my fault he did it. If he stayed mom wouldn’t have to overwork herself. I-

 

“You’re picking at your nails again Jules, are you okay?”

 

Juleka blinked, looking up, not realizing she had started to spiral. Rose stared up at her with those big, soft, gentle blue eyes and instantly, she felt a calm take over her again.

 

”I’m fine.” She smiled. Now that you’re here..

 

By the time they moved to the living room to where the tv was playing in, a terrible sight that made her alrighty dropping mood get worse was playing.

 

”You guys should see this” Luka said from the kitchen.

 

”Akuma..” She murmured

 

“Gabriel Agreste turned down my challenge and he will pay for it! By midnight tonight, he will entertain us in this very TV studio. Gabriel, I'm coming to get you!”

 

Juleka covered her mouth to stop herself from crying of laughter. Oh my god. He looks like an off brand Joker!

 

Then she realized- glancing down at Rose and the tv she wasn’t sure what to do next.

 

A spike of panic shot through Juleka, and she glanced backwards at Luka who made eye contact with her. He gave a thumbs up.

 

”That’s not good” He said “Well, good news is he’s probably after only Gabriel Agreste. That reminds me though, Juleka could you get the groceries for me? Rose, you can help me prepare something”

 

”O-Oh, okay!” Rose squeaked, spinning to Juleka to grab her hand “Be safe!”

 

Juleka had the sudden urge to kiss the girl’s knuckles in some gentlemanly Panthera act but she smothered it. 

 

“Of course” Juleka smiled, glancing at Luka and nodding silently to him. Thank you.

 

Closing the houseboat door behind her, Juleka burst out onto the road towards the recording studio. 

 

...

 

Breaking into the room, it looked like she had made it just in time.

 

Or.. well.. in worst time.

 

Just as she opened the door of the recording studio, Juleka was met with two large bone shattering slams into the body. She felt someone grasp her face and drag her across the ground. Her claws swiped at it, trying to get them to release her, as she thrashed in their grasp.

 

One of her thin slitted eyes opened, burning with anger as she stared up at Adrien’s hypnotized bodyguard as he growled at her.

 

”Panthera Noire! How nice of you to join us!” Simon Says purred, she looked up as she saw him walk past her “Unfortunately I have no use of you, so for now, you’ll be Gorilla Feed.” She watched as he pulled a card from his jacket and tapped it onto the bodyguard’s shoulders.

 

It burned into black ashes, before being absorbed by him.

 

”Simon says, demolish her.” He smiled and then ran away. Juleka felt her heart race as Adrien’s Bodyguard picked her up by the throat slowly and then threw her against the wall.

 

Juleka let out a gasp of pain, feeling something both crack and mend, she didn’t get one second to breath as she weakly dodged away from no doubt a skull crushing punch into the ground, that broke through tile and pipe.

 

She gulped, grabbing ahold of her pole and dashing down the hallway. She could hear the loud thunder grunts and thuds behind her as they rang in her ears. Urging her to run faster. She was prey now.

 

Juleka fell to her front arms, her strength weakening as she swore she could feel blood bleeding through her leather suit, even though there wasn’t any to prove of that, and continued to run like the weak animal she was.

 

Shit shit shit I can’t keep running like this! I need to fight back.!

 

Spinning backwards as they approached the elevators, Panthera whipped out her baton and smacked it across The Gorilla’s face, a horrible crack echoing through the hallway, breaking his nose.

 

Her muscles tensed with fear as he just simply took his all too large hand and gripped onto the baton, snapping it out of her hands and threw it into the wall so hard it stabbed through it.

 

She stumbled backwards, before suddenly feeling her legs leave the ground and she was pulled into a hug- and began to be slowly crushed.

 

Juleka let out a silent raspy scream of agony as she felt her bones creak- and her organs inside her squeeze. Slowly crunching under the pressure. Her eyes opened weakly and she could see there was nothing but animalistic rage inside the bodyguard’s eyes, as she helplessly thrashed in his huge arms.

 

‘“Julsies..”’

 

Her breath wavered. No no no- Not right now.! She thought desperately as his voice rang in her head Not right now!

 

‘“Shh.. just take a deep breath..”’

 

Juleka desperately shook her head, trying to move, to kick, to break free, as her vision darkened and her strength began weaker and weaker- but the Gorilla’s grasp only got tighter and she let out a struggled gasp. Blood and bile burned in the back of her throat and in any moment, she could feel herself breaking

 

‘“..and fall asleep.. Julsies..”’

 

Suddenly, for a second, everything loosened. She let out a roar of rage and reeling her shoe back— and slammed it into The Gorilla’s stomach. He wheezed, his breath being knocked out of him, blood dripping from his nose as he let go.

 

Panthera dropped to the floor, she could feel her strength returning as it coursed through her veins, her chest, her heart, her lungs. She breathed in big gulps of air as The Gorilla reached to grab her by the collar.

 

As his claws reached around her neck, she threw her legs up- latching them around and forcing him to bend his elbow forward as she was clung onto her forearm. He roared as she reeled her claws back and scraped them across his face- causing him to stumble back into the wall.

 

Her ears pricked up, seeing a young woman near the now opened elevators by the side.

 

Run.” Panthera spat, and the woman did. She glanced to the side, seeing her staff right next to them, still stabbed into the wall and jumped off him, dancing around to the side and dislodging it from the cement- before twisting around and slamming him into the lift.

 

Going on autopilot, she could hear her heart bumping in tandem with her clicking heels, sweat rolling down her red cheek as her bruised and aching chest shuddered up in down in heavy hot breaths.

 

Cataclysm.”

 

She raked her bubbling claws across the button panel, watching as the dark energy spread across the elevator, causing it to crackle and combust- before Panthera watched as it shot down into the void of darkness that was- to the bottom of the recording studio.

 

There were a few beats of silence, before Juleka stumbled back.

 

Oh my god.

 

”OH MY GOD I FUCKING MURDERED HIM.!” She shrieked, tugging at her hair in horror.

 

”Oh no, he survived that.”

 

Juleka whipped around, dropping into fighting position with her baton aimed at-

 

“Adrien? Nino? Ladybug?” She sputtered, lowering her weapon slowly. Ladybug smiled awkwardly but she looked like she was on cloud nine for whatever reason. I wonder why— oh. It’s cause of...

 

“Yeah don’t worry about The Gorilla, he’s survived worse.” Adrien said, running a hand through his hair with a bit of a dead expression on his face. “A fall from here isn’t going to hurt him don’t worry, I’m like, ninety percent sure he’s just the Hulk”

 

”What’s worse than getting thrown down an elevator shaft, dude?” Nino asked confusedly

 

Adrien just stared at him and made some awkward jazz hands “You’ll never know..”

 

Juleka’s ring beeped indignantly as they all snapped back to attention.

 

”Shoot.”

 

”We need to get to my father” Adrien said quickly, “Simon Says is after him along with a whole army!”

 

”Then we should go now.” Juleka said, twisting the ring around her finger worriedly.

 

”Panthera what about your ring?” Ladybug asked, her silvery blue eyes wide with slight fear.

 

Juleka winced, feeling a slight bruise ache under her suit before she gave the group of three a short glance.

 

Adrien looked worried, Nino was glued to his side trying to comfort him, and Ladybug was looking at her for guidance. Why is she doing that? She’s the leader.

 

“I’ll catch up with you guys.” Juleka said, brushing a hand weakly through her hair. “Don’t worry, Partner.”

 

Ladybug caressed her face for a moment, gloved hand gently going over Juleka’s still aching cheek, before nodding.

 

And the group was gone.

 

Juleka stepped away from the elevator, and ran.

 

Standing inside a stairwell, suit already withered away in a flash of green light- she pulled up her shirt, seeing a collection of bruises and red welts. She winced, running a hand over them as she held her shirt in her sharpened teeth.

 

We need to fix this.. shit..

 

“Plagg, Claws out!”

 

...

 

Juleka leapt across the buildings, a special moment to herself where it was just her, the city, and the tapping against her feet as she pounced across the rooftops.

 

I’ve never been inside Adrien’s house before she thought Closest thing was The Bubbler but that was just the courtyard.

 

She bounced down from a building, leaping across a crowd of civilians, eyes blank with the same look at The Gorilla when he was brainwashed, as they stumbled groggily towards the Agreste Mansion like a hoard of zombies and bounced onto the roof the mansion.

 

Juleka sucked in a deep breath, slicking her hair out of her face, and hopped down in front of one of the windows, knocking on the window as she saw Gabriel and Ladybug standing in one of the rooms.

 

“Am I late?” Panthera purred, slipping into the room.

 

”Panthera!” Ladybug beamed and Gabriel turned to look at her with a curious gaze.

 

”Mlle Panthera Noire.” He greeted “I saw some of your model work during Picture Perfect. It’s nice to formally meet you.”

 

”Pleasure’s all my mine, but being a hero is more full time.” She nodded to him, “You’re son’s bodyguard gave me quite the clobbering earlier. Only the best of the best I presume?”

 

Gabriel seemed to puff out in pride a little “Of course. Nothing must come to harm to my son.”

 

”Wonderful to know, well, then I must let you all know- that there’s like a shit load of Simon Says’s soldiers coming this way-“ Juleka said, dropping all formalities as she casually pointed outside the window. Her hair falling over her face a bit more again.

 

Don’t curse in front of Gabriel Agreste dumbass he’s the god of fashion! He has the power to crush all of your fucking model dreams! 

 

“-so like, you got more tricks besides an immortal bodyguard?” She asked

 

Gabriel nodded and turned to a small tech board, pressing a few screen buttons. Juleka watched in awe as the windows shut and closed, the sounds of machinery echoed around the entire mansion.

 

”Holy shit.” She deadpanned

 

”Panthera stop cursing in front of Gabriel Agreste!” Marinette squeaked, Gabriel glanced up at them and just shook his head, glancing down at his screen again.

 

”It’s fine, as this is a dire situation. I appreciate your ability to marvel at this Mansion’s architecture. It truly was built like a fortress.” Gabriel said.

 

Wow the wonders of technology.

 

Suddenly the room was flashing a bright red and alarms were ringing in her ears, the two heroes ran to the security cams next to Gabriel and saw the gate had somehow been broken down by the crowd.

 

Wow the failures of technology.

 

And gates.

 

“Well, if they can take down a gate like that, I’d say we’re kinda fucked.” Juleka deadpanned, before nodding and looking at Ladybug “Okay, what do we do partner?”

 

”Nino and Adrien could be in danger!” Ladybug said quickly

 

”Right. Nathalie, take Ladybug to Adrien’s room and check on him” Gabriel directed, opening up a panel with two remotes “These will give you access to help control the mansion.”

 

”Right!”

 

The two ran out of the room in a hurry and Panthera looked up at Gabriel, a Cheshire smile growing on her face.

 

”Very technical” She observed “Heard from a little birdie this is Adrien’s first year in any time of schooling? Sixteen right? How come?”

 

Gabriel’s eyebrow pricked upwards “I’m not sure what you are asking.”

 

”Why keep him from school?”

 

”That’s none of your business.” Gabriel quickly said. Panthera’s ear twitched and she lifted her hands up

 

”Right, o’ course sir.” She smiled, “Just a stray cat being curious ‘ere. I’ve always been one to value freedom.”

 

Gabriel said nothing to that and Juleka plucked her own remote, using it to open up a window as she clambered through it and found herself outside, closing it.

 

...

 

Of course, there wasn’t much to do with the hoard, they made it inside with horrifying ease, especially with The Gorilla at the front of the pack, breaking through metal like it was tin foil and Gabriel was whisked away.

 

”Simon Says! You are a butterfly!”

 

“Flap flap flap- flutter flutter..!”

 

Juleka let out a wheeze of laughter as she stared at Gabriel who was now running around the reporting studio flapping his arms like a mad man.

 

”Panthera!” Ladybug scolded

 

”I-Itsjust- I’m sorry it’s just fucking hilarious.!” Juleka squeaked

 

”Focus kitty, We need to save him! It’s gotta be in the cards” Ladybug said, as the two kicked down the door. Simon looked up with a cruel smile.

 

”Well if it isn’t Ladybug and Panthera Noire! Care to draw a card?” He purred “Or maybe, trade a Butterfly for your miraculously?”

 

”No way! How about you take a- Lucky Charm!” Ladybug shouted, throwing her yo-yo up in the air as it glowed a bright red, dropping- another.. yo-yo? It kinda looked off brand. Like an actual toy.

 

”Huh.” Juleka said

 

“Guessing we’re either being straightforward or convoluted as hell” Ladybug said, latching it to her belt.

 

”Nothing is straight about either of us.” Juleka deadpanned, falling into a fighting position. Ladybug charged forward, but Simon was two steps ahead

 

“Simon Says! You’re yo-yo is useless!”

 

He threw a card into Ladybug’s yo-yo and Juleka watched as it literally went kaput.  Juleka didn’t waste time to watch what happened, reeling her baton back as she bolted towards Simon Says.

 

”Simon Says—“

 

”But Panthera says, you’re shit!” Juleka snapped, smashing it into his hand, causing the cards to go flying. She continued to swing her weapon wildly at the akuma as she could hear Ladybug ripping the many cards behind them thanks to her sensitive ears.

 

”Simon Says!-“

 

”-That Simon’s clothing is absolute horseshit!”

 

”Simon says!-“

 

”-That Simon needs to get an actual job!” She added, dodging another card 

 

“DAMN IT! SIMON SAYS!-“

 

Juleka swiped her leg under Simon and backed off as he cut through her with a swipe of a blackened card.

 

“FALL!”

 

She didn’t stop moving, stomping on his chest.

 

”You didn’t say Simon Says!” She teased. He snarled.

 

”Simon says give me your miraculous!” He shouted, but instead of pointing the cards at her he threw a flurry of cards at Ladybug who was still desperately trying to rip through the cards.

 

Juleka panicked, jumping off of him and throwing herself onto Ladybug, rolling across the ground as the two narrowly dodged the cards. Looking down at their comprismising position, Juleka just gave a weak smile getting her face shoved off away from her partner.

 

”Simon Says to take off for a flight!” The two looked up as Gabriel was hit by another card, before suddenly his arms locked over and he starting to run around, making a plane sound as he ran out the doors.

 

Juleka suppressed another wheeze before the horrific reality settled in.

 

..wait Simon Says is gonna make him throw himself off the building that’s not funny at all.

 

”Oh shiiiiiit”

 

Ladybug snapped, taking out the toy yo-yo “It’s the card box! This is like, way more than the usual amount of cards. Knock them out of his hands! I’ll cover you!”

 

Juleka swerved back to the fight “Right!”

 

Panthera slicked her hair backwards and bolted forward, Simon Says reeled back his hand, ready to spout his next order, before she smashed him across the jaw in a horrible crack with her pole.

 

She jumped backwards, as his cards blackened and he aimed for the weaponless Ladybug.

 

“Simon Says, it’s over!”

 

Panthera chuffed, jumping in front of her and knocking the two cards out of the way with her pole as they stabbed into the ground, before charging forward with Ladybug.

 

”S-Simon Says—!”

 

Ladybug, as if she was in some kind of graceful dance, slammed the yo-yo across his face, slinging it around before sending the yo-yo flying.

 

Panthera kept running, watching as Ladybug made her hands into a cup and the cat her jumped onto it, being thrown into the air.

 

CATACLYSM!”

 

The box of cards crumbled to dust, the black ash softly drifting on top of them. Simon Says fell to the ground.

 

”Impossible..” he muttered

 

“Miraculous Ladybug!” Ladybug shouted, as a flurry of ladybugs washed over the recording studio and city.

 

Juleka sucked in a steadying breath as she felt the aching pains of her past fight disappear. She glanced backwards, watching as Marinette let the now stark white butterfly flutter away.

 

She gave her partner a smile and the two fist bumped. “Good work.”

 

...

 

They dropped Mr Agreste back at the Mansion.

 

She stared at Gabriel and Adrien as the father and song embraced in a hug, her smile faltering a bit. It wasn’t that she was jealous of Adrien’s relationship with his father, nah, Gabriel was definitely a fucking dick sometimes from what she heard, but..

 

I can’t imagine what I’d be like to.. be that.. well off?

 

She looked at herself a bit and shook her head, waving her Partner goodbye, she detransformed in an alleyway and went to the nearest grocery store. 

 

Returning home, Rose and Luka were waiting for her.

 

”They locked us inside when the horde was going by, wouldn’t let us go until the cure went over.” Juleka explained a little tiredly, “It was nuts.”

 

Rose went home a little after that, waving happily goodbye after a quick hug that made Juleka feel warm, though maybe she shouldn’t have lingered so long in the shorter girl’s touch.

 

Luka and her went out for dinner and after a quick stop at the local diner- sitting outside and scarfing down some greasy hamburgers- Juleka left for patrol.

 

It was a blur. The only things that Juleka remembered entirely was the biting cold, Ladybug’s squealing voice, and the momentary rain that washed over them for a few minutes.

 

Eventually she was home. She was fine. And-

 

No she wasn’t fine.

 

Juleka let out a gasp of air as she jolted from her bed, she instinctively covered her mouth and checked to see if Luka had woken up. He hadn’t.

 

She sighed with relief, rubbing her face and specifically, her neck. Today was close. Really close. And for a few moments, I lost it and almost killed a guy. What the hell..

 

Turning on her phone and lowering the flashlight mode, she opened up the secret cupboard under her bed, hidden in the corners of the bed frame. The cat looked up from it’s sleep and she put a finger over her mouth to hush it. It just went back to the covers of her jackets as she reached for the cupboard again.

 

She made it when after the incident. It’s where she kept the letters. She remembers what period of time it was in when she wrote them. For a long time she was terrified. Scared silent actually, for a few months. Wouldn’t say a peep. Rose was the one who brought her words back.

 

Juleka looked through the young outdated scrawls of letters and various goodbyes to some people she didn’t know anymore, to random bugs and animals she apparently saw and named and felt like she was personally attached to- they were kinda outdated, but she remembers how much of a relief young her felt when she wrote them.

 

A just in case.

 

If she died.

 

Juleka threw them into her trash can, careful to shove it down to the bottom of the basket so not even Luka or Anarka could find them. Not that they would look for them, but the idea they could was scary. So she kept hiding. And bustling. And shoving.

 

Satisfied with how hidden they were- she went back to her desk. Taking out a blank notebook she cursed to herself as she looked for a pen. I could look in the kitchen. Ma keeps one in the drawer, I think, for when she needs to write down a recipe for something.

 

So pulling herself out of bed, her feet barely making a sound on the softly rocking ship’s dark floor boards- Juleka made her way out of the room and—

 

...

 

Anarka was multiple things. She made sure people didn’t have any contradicting messages radiating off her, whoever she was to one person, she was to the next. Completely and utterly herself.

 

Though some people could describe her specifically certain words another wouldn’t. But that was a matter of perspective and not her bein some kind of multi masked jobber too focused and making others like ‘em, which was took too much energy and was a waste of time. Time that could be spent living life and liking it.

 

Annabel. You can’t do that. It’s not how a lady would act.”

 

Yeah fuck that. Those voices of her parents were old, and aged, and long gone now. Annie was a short lived nickname that still made her feel chained when her parents would call it immature. Though she did miss how it rolled off the tongue of her ol’ University girlfriend. That was nice. She always wondered where Callie went off to.

 

Anarchy was a dope ass name, she missed being called that, definitely the best years in her life. But it was over. And she knew she had to be fine with that or else the years of happiness in her life would turn into chains. And she refused to let another man whom she trusted’s acts weigh her down.

 

Neither of that mattered now. Anarka Couffaine was her name and Anarka Couffaine was who she would be for the rest of time and beyond that.

 

Officer Raincomprix would call her a menace, a monster, a bitch, a criminal— and she proudly wore those titles. For a while, when they were little wee ones, Rose would call her Mrs Juleka’s Mom, which was adorable.

 

Then for a while.. it was..

 

Juleka’s father was not a good man. She knew that. She’s known that for a long time.

 

She ingrained that fact every moment she thought about him, and how, with every ache of pain that went through her body as she chained herself to her job, to keep her home afloat, her kids alive and happy with what they were doing, no matter the cost- she knew it was better than him being in the house again.

 

Anarka was multiple things. Chaotic, definitely selfish sometimes, overbearing, probably not fit to be a mother. Anarka knew this was how people defined her and she was fine with it. She acted herself 100% of the time so they were probably right.

 

Her kids have even said the last part before. she respected that. She wasn’t the best mother and she knew it. She wasn’t sure if she ever could be.

 

But something she made sure to never define was her children, or at least to their separate fathers.

 

She never looked at either of Luka and Juleka and only saw them.

 

She only saw blessings. Her treasure. Her little rockstars. Her children she would never let get hurt.

 

And she failed that last part. So much.

 

Anarka was multiple things. Anarka was chaotic. She was definitely selfish sometimes, overbearing, probably not fit to be a mother. She hated the government, she hated the law, but when He did that.. she’d move mountains and more for her babies.

 

She knows Roger looks back at the moment she walked into the police department with a sense of pride, as if the internal monologue going through his head about how ‘The Great Anarchy went back on her ideals and that she became a hypocrite for reporting poor parenting’ wasn’t loud enough for her to hear.

 

But she didn’t. She was being who she was. Anything for herself yes, she knew she thought about what she wanted a lot, a lot of the tight money issues they’ve had were because of her burning passion to live on a goddamn Party Boat, and throw trash around and bring chaos to the home (except the kitchen, no one touches the kitchen. She wasn’t risking motherfucking food poisoning fuck that)-But above all, anything for her kids.

 

Anarka was a clever woman. She was clever enough to know she was smart and that didn’t change what she did sometimes was stupid and immature and that she also didn’t know things-

 

But two of the things she hated the most about not knowing were her kids. Because the universe seemed to hate her defiance, who wouldn’t?

 

Anarka felt like a shit parent, barely saw her kids much due to her job, and she could only hope they knew how much they meant to her, and how they weren’t a burden, and she would do everything over again five times harder for them- but- She couldn’t. She never could. And it weighed on her shoulders as her deepest pains.

 

They grew up faster than she could imagine, and so many of those years were spent in her keeping them afloat. Keeping them alive. Keeping them away from him.

 

Anarka pulled herself off her bed, unable to sleep. She needed to work more hours this week, as last week got fucked over because of some goddamn akuma.

 

She opened up her phone to look through the Ladyblog. Apparently the girl who owned it was one of Jules’s classmate’s. Aliah or something? Alya? She had a fun spirit to her. Reminded Anarka of how she was when she was little.

 

Zero self preservation. Hah!

 

But Anarka was clever. Anarka was always clever.

 

The sounds of soft padding against the floor boards was mostly muffled by the rocking of the ship, but Anarka definitely heard it despite her issues. Her hearing always like a metronome. Some points she could barely hear, the ringing in her ears deafening, and some points, she could hear so much.

 

She opened the cabin door to see Juleka riffling through the kitchen cupboards, notebook shoved under one armpit as she was holding a few materials out of the way as she dug for something specific.

 

”You’re up late.”

 

Juleka froze, dropping her things as she spun to look at her mother, caramel eyes widened with momentary shock and fear, before settling in a serene calm.

 

”H-Hi Ma” Juleka said quietly “Uh, wait what time is it?”

 

Anarka checked her phone “Four.”

 

”Shoot. Uh-“

 

”What’s wrong, lass?” Anarka asked, though not stepping forward. Unsure if walking towards her girl would cause her to feel cornered or panicked. 

 

Juleka quickly scooped up her stuff “Nothin’! Fine! I’m- good! Was looking for uhm.. a pen?” She said

 

”There’s one in the drawer”

 

”I know I was lookin’ for it!”

 

Bottom drawer”

 

”Oh”

 

Anarka stepped into the kitchen as Juleka rustled through the cabinet doors though when she found the pen, she seemed to stand anxiously as she glanced at the notepad and her mother.

 

Anarka didn’t ask, she just pulled the milk carton and went through the steps to make some hot cocoa. Juleka seemed to abandon the idea of writing whatever she apparently needed to and sat down on one of the kitchen seats. Waiting for whatever Anarka was doing.

 

The woman hummed a soft song, one she remembered lullabying both Luka and Juleka with at some point in their childhood, before she poured the finished drink into a warm mug and slid it over to her daughter.

 

Anarka had fined tuned the art of comforting a woken up child, she made sure to pass it onto to Luka when she wouldn’t be able to and as much as her mother’s memory left a pour taste on her mouth, the way she comforted Anarka when she was young was one of the redeeming memories.

 

Anarka hated the word divorce. It reminded her of her parents a little bit too much. Dad left in anger but his heart could never leave entirely, so he just moved back to Ireland instead, while she and her mother stayed in their home in Glasgow. What a hypocrite she was. She wonders if her parents thought the same things she did when she signed those papers.

 

Anarka remembers her visits to him being full of nights where she’d run away into the forest or steal his boat to purposefully get lost.

 

She didn’t have a relationship with her father. It was more like they just knew eachother and were both there for horrible times of eachother’s lives. She wished that wouldn’t happen to her and her kids. Same with her relationship with her sister, but seeing how Juleka and Luka’s closeness, that gave her hope.

 

Her sister Blair was a meek one, almost reminded Anarka of Juleka, but perhaps it was her sibling goggles that made her still see Blair as somehow worse. She left to live with their father when they were 19.

 

Perhaps it was her fault she didn’t know she had nieces and nephews for seven years though. Anarka didn’t blame her sister. She knew she’d end up the vodka aunt anyways.

 

What are was she gonna do though? Nothing. Just watch her daughter enjoy her hot cocoa and pray the warmth her daughter feels for her lasted.

 

”Good?” She asked

 

Juleka nodded, finishing the mug with a soft serene smile “Good!”

 

”Good.” Anarka softly said, “A’right. You need a moment before bed?”

 

Juleka looked back at her note book, trailing a hand over her collarbone for a moment before shaking her head.

 

”Nah, I’m good”

 

”Off you go then.” Anarka waved a hand, as she gave her daughter a kiss on the forehead and Juleka hobbled back to her room. “G’night Juleka.”

 

”Goodnight Mum”

 

Anarka was multiple things.

 

Anarka was chaotic. Anarka was selfish. Anarka had zero self preservation. Anarka had a moral code with the same consistency of their shitty internet connection. Anarka was over bearing. Anarka hated government and law. Anarka was clever. Anarka loved her kids- And Anarka was probably not entirely fit to be a mother. 

 

But when the time was right when Juleka wanted to tell Anarka that she was Panthera, and the time was right to tell Juleka that she loved her to the moon and back no matter what-

 

Well, she’d be the best damn mom she could ever be..

 

...And also tell Juleka that no matter how much suave and gusto she tries to display, Anarka could see her own moves in Juleka’s attempts at flirting and she was not being sneaky with that. Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, Juleka. She could see it. Mama’s moves. Not subtle.

 

Anarka hummed as she felt the boat rock a bit, looking outside to see her girl dashing across the city lights- emerald eyes gleaming in the darkness as a big smile stretched across her little hero’s face.

 

She could hear a soft meow echo from inside the boat, padding out of Juleka and Luka’s room was a small blob of black fur and two bright green eyes that jumped onto the table. Anarka tutted, scooping the kitten in her arms so it wouldn’t spread any fur as she smiled at the empty mug on the table.

 

”Goodnight kiddo.”

 

 

Notes:

I originally wanted to skip this, felt too Adrien centric to replace with Juleka without like, idk, I just didn’t know how to incorporate Juleka much into this that would spawn much change or fun.
But then I remembered that Gabriel was kinda a big part of this chapter, and I wanted to implement the thoughts of parents into things.

So Anarka got herself some more screen time she deserves.
She reminds me of my aunt a lot, which helped me write her, though I can say that’s an entirely good thing. She’s interesting.

Writing Anarka was a lot more fun then I thought it would be, and I didn’t expect that bit with her to be so long. So I hope you liked it? The way I wrote her was a mix of both my mom and my aunt, who didn’t really have a good sisterly relationship, which was what I based that additional “Anarka had a sister” thing. Blair isn’t relevant I just wanted to self project rip.

Also, did you really expect Anarka to not know? Like Juleka said. There’s no such thing as privacy in the Couffaine household.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed that I’ve kinda been pumping out chapters cause I’ve got a lot of work already done for-
D-
Do you smell that?
Smells like.. ..never mind that’s.. that was weird..
..uh
Right okay, uhm, next chapter will be a filler.

Chapter 30: The Chat™

Summary:

Thought y’all needed a break from the Vanisher, Antibug, Simon Says trio of Nuclear Chapters

So here’s just some crack

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

[New Chat has been Created]

 

...

 

Panthera Noire has joined the chat...

 

Panthera Noire: no fucking way.

Panthera Noire: this can’t be

Panthera Noire: no

 

Ladybug has joined the chat...

 

Ladybug: What is this?

 

Panthera Noire: well if it isn’t my favorite bug in all of paris, care to chat with me? looks like our weapons have so many more features we haven’t discovered yet!

 

Ladybug: Don’t fake enthusiasm, I can read the earlier messages, you have no idea what this is do you.

 

Panthera Noire: absolutely no clue

 

[2:32 AM]

 

Panthera Noire: hey partner are you up?

 

Ladybug: Yeah I am, why?

Ladybug: oh my god when did it become two am?!

 

Panthera Noire: Go sleep bug

 

Ladybug: wait no why’d you text me?

 

Panthera Noire: had a feeling you were up

 

Ladybug: why aren’t you asleep??

 

Panthera Noire: evil never sleeps

 

Ladybug: Panthera

 

Panthera Noire: I will find you and tuck you into bed so hard you get stuck in bed and can’t leave so you’re late to school

 

Ladybug: PANTHERA

 

Panthera Noire: why are you up anyways?

 

Ladybug: ugh, project, forgot to do it

 

Panthera Noire: oh how funny, I finished my school project five hours ago

Panthera Noire: I wanna guess... science?

 

Ladybug:

Ladybug: how’d you know?

 

Panthera Noire: OH I GOT IT RIGHT?

Panthera Noire: ^w^ hurray for me!

 

Ladybug: You wouldn’t happen to know the answer to the question ‘Why are alcohol and water’s volume different from one another when dropped on a table’?

 

Panthera Noire: i think it could be surface tension- but I could be wrong 

 

Ladybug: oh shit you’re right

 

Panthera Noire: what are the odds! Maybe it’s destiny

 

Ladybug: good night.

 

Panthera Noire: haha

Panthera Noire: good night partner 

 

[3:23 PM]

 

Ladybug: akuma

 

Panthera Noire: I know I can see it

 

Ladybug: please hurry please

 

Panthera Noire: okay okay! I’m coming! Are you okay?

 

Ladybug: uh uh

Ladybug: yes! Totally fine! Great! Just please get here

 

Panthera Noire: on my way

 

Ladybug: He calls himself Kung Food- he can control people who have eaten his food

 

Panthera Noire: he looks like a fusion between the monkey king and like goku 

 

Ladybug: just hurry!

 

[7:56 pm]

 

Panthera Noire: it’s been a while since the attack but I’m still hungry

 

Ladybug: I super thought it was Chloe who sabotaged it!

 

Panthera Noire: she’s not perfect but she’s working on it

Panthera Noire: I can’t imagine hating soup though 

 

Ladybug: she said a texture thing?

 

Panthera Noire: well yeah, okay, but I feel like the thing that would make people get texture sensitive would be Stew instead? 

 

Ladybug: Good point but still, people are people

 

Panthera Noire: Yeah yeah I know 

Panthera Noire: damn.. yeah I’m making soup tonight, I think I remember buying radishes last time I went to the grocery store.. muguk yeah okay I’m making muguk fuck it I’m hungry, fucking Kung food has me on a soup mood now

 

Ladybug: what’s that?

 

Panthera Noire: cat kibble what else

 

Ladybug: har har har

 

Panthera Noire: radish soup, it’s Korean

 

Ladybug: sounds delicious

 

Panthera Noire: it is, big comfort food for me idk why, it’s warm tho. Kinda expensive but that’s fine cause i always feel better to make my food idk why

 

Ladybug: I take it you know how to cook then?

 

Panthera Noire: so so

Panthera Noire: might need to ask my ma or brother for help with this, I haven’t really made this alone and I don’t wanna risk messing it up 

 

Ladybug: I’m sure you’ll be okay!

 

Panthera Noire: let me rephrase 

Panthera Noire: **I don’t wanna fuck it up

 

Ladybug: Oh

 

Panthera Noire: yeah, anyways I’m gonna start cooking, wanna do a voice call thing, I can just put my phone next to me while I cook so we can just chat I guess 

 

Ladybug: you’re gonna cook transformed with your baton?

 

Panthera Noire: I’m not transformed?

 

Ladybug: WHAT

 

Panthera Noire: I’ve been texting from me phone! You know the weapons like, link to our phones right?

Panthera Noire: have you been texting on your yo-yo this entire time??

 

Ladybug: oh would you look at that it does connect to my phone

 

Panthera Noire: LADYBUG


Panthera Noire has started a voice call...

Call has ended from 8:02—8:43 PM...

 

[8:23 AM]

 

Panthera Noire: look at this cat I saw on my way to school today

Panthera Noire: [lookatthecat.png]

 

Ladybug: Panthers i have  class i stg

 

Panthera Noire: correction partner, I believe there’s only one panthera

 

[Ladybug has changed Panthera Noire’s name to Panthers]

 

Panthers: 

Panthers: well

Panthers: I guess I’m a hive mind now

Panthers: a collection of panthers just sending their vibes and brainwaves to this little ol goth gay

Panthers: urging me to type into my phone and annoy you

 

Ladybug: they are succeeding

 

Panthers: ow

 

[8:32 PM]

 

Ladybug: hey just curious what was your least favorite Akuma?

 

Panthers: four way way tie between rogercop, Antibug, evillustrator, and bubbler

Panthers: what about you?

 

Ladybug: god okay uh uh

Ladybug: I wanna say... Evillustrator and Barber, I was panicking a lot on Barber because he dislocated your leg and scraped me, and Evillustrator because uh, it just sucked yeah

Ladybug: I’d say Antibug but I wasn’t there for most of it. Still scary though. Close.. third I guess?

 

Panthers: right

 

Ladybug: actually no wait! Pixelator was pretty sucky too

 

Panthers: fighting him cost you an arm and a leg

Panthers: ypu

Panthers: hold on

 

[Panthers has changed Ladybug’s name to Edward Elric]

 

Edward Elric: what?

 

Panthers: tonight, meet me above the Dupain Cheng Bakery, I wanna show you something

 

[8:56 PM]

 

Edward Elric: Get back here right now.

 

Panthers: BAHAHAAHAHAHA

 

Edward Elric: IM GOING TO HANG YOU UP LIKE A COAT AND SKIN YOU ALIVE

 

[9:34 AM]

 

Edward Elric: FUCK IM IN A TEST

 

Panthers: it’s just mr pigeon it’s fine, just finish the test

 

Edward Elric: BUT

 

Panthers: ITS JUST MR PIGEON PARIS ISNT GOING TO BE SET ON FIRE BY BIRDS

 

Edward Elric: OKAY OKAY

 

[7:32 PM]

 

Panthers: Patrol?

 

Edward Elric: on my way, had sometime to sew

 

Panthers: nice

 

[3:45 PM]

 

Edward Elric: Panthera

 

Panthers: I’m fine.

 

Edward Elric: Panthera where are you?

Edward Elric: Panthera!

Edward Elric: I’m gonna find you we’re going to have a long conversation

Edward Elric: when did you start throwing yourself in front of me?

Edward Elric: Panthera?

Edward Elric: shit you blocked this didn’t you

Edward Elric: please just tell me what’s wrong I

Edward Elric: nvm I found you

 

[7:32 PM]

 

Panthers: thanks for that partner 

 

Edward Elric: it’s no problem Panthera, I’m sorry you’ve been so worried about me lately

 

Panthers: hah, like I said, it’s my job

 

Edward Elric: it shouldn’t have to be, you’re not just a meat shield



Panthers: whether I am or not, I need to protect you

Panthers: I know you’re tough but these akumas.. they’re just getting stronger and I can’t afford for you to get hurt

 

Edward Elric: it’s my duty as the ladybug to be the one to heal everyone, to purify the akuma, and I will gladly die just for the hope that things will be okay

 

Panthers: you shouldnt have to though!

Panthers: you shouldn’t have to worry about that you’re a kid!

 

Edward Elric: so are you!

 

Panthers: hh

Panthers: I’m tired

Panthers: I’m gonna sleep early tonight

 

Edward Elric: right, goodnight panthera 

 

Panthers: goodnight Edward Elric.

 

Edward Elric: I regret this name, it looks like I’m some role play account

 

Panthers: lmao

 

[10:22 AM]

 

Panthers: Look! Look at my cat! 

Panthers: [CAT.png]

Panthers: he’s been coming around to my home more often, I think I’m just gonna straight up adopt him. Or at least formally kidnap him

 

Edward Elric: what a cutie! What’s his name?

 

Panthers:

Panthers: cat?

 

Edward Elric: Panthera name your fucking son

 

Panthers: fine

Panthers: bastard boy sounds fitting

 

Edward Elric: No!

 

Panthers: baby man

Panthers: stinky cat

 

Edward Elric: name him minou

 

Panthers: it’s a full grown cat

 

Edward Elric: it’s better than whatever you came up with

 

Panthers: touché my dear

 

[6:34 PM]

 

Panthers: I want a girlfriend so bad Partner;;gnbmmlgkd..

 

Edward Elric: I know

 

Panthers: I wanna kiss her gn;; sso bad; 

 

Edward Elric: I know Panthera 

Edward Elric: go eat your food

 

Panthers: hhhhhhhh

 

Edward Elric: can relate though, I wanna smooch Adrien Agreste

Edward Elric: so bad

 

Panthers: it’s kinda comical to see

 

Edward Elric: he’s just so wonderful and perfect and

 

Panthers: wonderful?

 

Edward Elric: ffffffscrewwwww you

Edward Elric: you act like I’m some kind of romantic mess! I’m not!

 

Panthers: you’ve been crushing on the same guy for like five months and you haven’t been able to sputter a single sentence to him

 

Edward Elric: you don’t know that!

 

Panthers: I’m pretty sure I do

Panthers: I’ve at least had full conversations with my crush

 

Edward Elric: well that’s cause you two have like, an actual friendshpi buolt between you two

Edward Elric: **friendship

 

Panthers: then have an actual friendship with him!!

Panthers: I don’t get love at first sight much, like, what do you know about him that hasn’t been shared in the internet?

 

Edward Elric: hh



Panthers: never mind, honestly, would not be surprised if you fell in love with your best friend, sounds relatable tbh

 

Edward Elric: fjfhdhfhfsoaowdns waht

 

Panthers: again, nothing straight about either of us

 

Edward Elric: I like dudes!

 

Panthers: and you gave up your first kiss for moi, which was enough to break a love spell

Panthers: so I beg to differ

 

Edward Elric: I’m going to bed

 

Panthers: goodnight disaster bi

 

Edward Elric: fffffffd

 

[12:34 AM]

 

Panthers: Well that was an interesting akuma

 

Edward Elric: Such a close call! Magician of Misfortune was tough

Edward Elric:  saying his name over and over again was woooorse

 

Panthers: fuckin jean duparc 

 

Edward Elric: I feel like he’s everywhere

 

Panthers: haha yeah

Panthers: ...

Panthers: hey partner

 

Edward Elric: yeah?

 

Panthers: do you ever get the feeling that something bad is gonna happen?

Panthers: like a.. idk a feeling? That just kinda sneaks up on you and you just cant describe why?

 

Edward Elric: yeah, sometimes, are you okay?

 

Panthers is typing...

Panthers is typing...

 

Panthers: just fine partner

Panthers: was just being curious

Panthers: you know me

 

Edward Elric: I see

Edward Elric: I’m here if you need anything

 

Panthers: I know, and I love you for that

Panthers: you’re a good friend

 

Edward Elric: I’m gonna go sleep now, Tikki said she doesn’t feel well so maybe some sleep might do us some good

 

Panthers: same, it’s lights off for me now

 

Edward Elric: goodnight Panthera!

 

Panthers is typing...

Panthers is typing...

Panthers is typing...

 

Panthers: Goodnight Ladybug

 

 

Notes:

I also figured you guys would need a little rest stop for what’s to come.

So I hope you enjoyed!

Just a slight chatfic chapter I-
Hold on do you- do you smell that? I- smells like.. ugh- it smells like- god it was here last chapter it smells like.. rotten fish..?

What the hell is—
..
..
.

 

.

 

Wwwwwwwwwwsksdicuusuaowpwhbrvuvoejwnaops

Wdudge
Dpg
Ppppppppprrrorrincesseldlqlwofranfgramceeee
Wwwwwld woeo wekdkf pppp111a112212z11

Chapter 31: Princess Fragrance

Summary:

haha
Hahaha

Notes:

I didn’t like this episode.
So I rewrote a lot of it. Or at least as much as I could in Juleka’s POV.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

“We’re gonna go visit Papa tomorrow” Rose said, catching Juleka’s attention “Do you wanna come?”

 

”Oh.” Juleka said, looking at her calendar “Is it..?”

 

”Yeah” Rose let out a laugh

 

Juleka was quiet for a moment before she nodded “Sure, I’ll try and make it.”

 

Rose smiled, “Thank you, Jules”

 

It’s been four years since they lost Mr Louis Lavillant.

 

Juleka and Rose strolled down the sidewalk, Mrs. Lavillant softly walking behind them, the two girls’ hands intertwined with eachother as they lazily swung them between them. Clutched inside Rose’s other hand was a small pink perfume bottle. His.

 

Juleka remembers him well. He was very kind to her. Despite his weakening health. She remembers when she was eleven and he carefully held her hands with his own shaking thin ones, caressing a small forget me not in Rose’s garden as he softly whispered from his wheel chair that talking to the flowers would make them grow more.

 

She remembers how, after a month since the first time she met him, he still had enough strength in himself to give her the biggest hug when she finally was able to greet him without hiding behind Rose. Juleka remembers that moment a lot.

 

Juleka remembered how Rose would babble about what her family did sometimes before her dad had to use the wheel chair. How they went to theme parks sometimes,, and maybe when he got better Juleka could join them.

 

He never got better, it wasn’t something that had a cure. Juleka remembers Rose saying, through tears, and a level of speech barely able to pronounce the words, no doubt only learning them the night he was gone- some sort of sickness she didn’t know existed, and didn’t have the gut to try and look up again. Just to know his killer.

 

She remembers his once shaking trembling hands, folded neatly and still. She remembers Rose’s, when they walked to the funeral together with hands full of lilies and forget me nots. She remembers that day a lot.

 

The weather is far too nice for a funeral.” Juleka had muttered, making Rose quietly laugh for a moment as the soft morning sun shined on them. It was one of the only times she had ever seen Rose wear black. In contrast, Juleka started wearing black more that day, and didn’t stop much after that.

 

Y-Yeah..” Rose had whispered quietly, choking on her own tears “But I think he would’ve liked this day, maybe we could’ve gone on a picnic.” 

 

Blinking, Juleka found herself sucked backed to the present as they entered the cemetery.

 

Finding his gravestone was easy, as if his soul just sucked it in, flowers and moss grew up onto the stone. They three woman stood in front of his, Juleka twisted the ring around her finger quietly

 

“Darn.” Mrs Lavillant said “Someone got some dirt on it, Rose be a dear and help me go get some water?”

 

”Coming Mama! Juleka you stay here!” Rose said, Juleka giving a thumbs up, as the two skittered away, leaving the girl to the grave.

 

She knelt down next to it, her hair pooling over her shoulders. They all visited, once a year, on the day of his death. It wasn’t a gloomy day, in fact, they all kinda went out for ice cream and stuff. But there was still a hole in all of their hearts that he used to fill. A place in the universe that was now barren. It was hard.

 

”Hey.. Mr Lavillant.” Juleka whispered “We miss you. Thing’s have gone crazier these days. I can’t help but be scared yet, I’ve been taking your advice the best I can. Be kind. Yknow?” She paused “Uh- Rose is okay. But I think you know that. If you’re.. watching over her and stuff, which like, I hope you are.”

 

She paused “I really love her. She’s.. she’s really good. I hope you’re okay with that. I wanna marry her lots. She’s.. you raised a really nice girl.” Juleka murmured, sniffing “I wish you were here still. She still keeps that bottle of perfume you gave her when we were eight. She keeps it full-“

 

”Nice grave, you gonna stop talking to it?” Plagg asked, peeking out of her pocket. She huffed, trying to shove him back in.

 

”Had to be, he deserved one.” Juleka said “And yes, yes I am.”

 

”What was his taste in cheese?”

 

Juleka chuffed, scratching the kwami’s ear a little.

 

”Munster.” She answered without losing a beat. He put it in allll of their sandwiches when he made them. The way they melted were always really delicious. She missed those sandwiches, now they were just memories. And she felt awkward asking Mrs Lavillant to make them.

 

”Hm, not that best but at least he had a favorite one.” Plagg mused, tucking himself back into her jacket.

 

Juleka turned back to the grave softly chuckling before hearing the soft crunching of leaves approaching. She waved back hello to Rose and Mrs Lavillant as the three settled around for a nice afternoon.

 

...

 

Juleka knew who Prince Ali was. She thought he was cool. Rose thought he was cool too. And she had a major crush on him four or five years ago.

 

‘”He’s a real Prince, Juleka!” Little Rose had squealed, putting up a picture of him on the wall “He’s gorgeous and kind and he helps out people like papa and—“‘

 

It kind died off to just respect though, didn’t stop Rose from squealing with excitement in the last couple of days though when news about Prince Ali’s apparent visit to Paris was being blared on the news.

 

Speaking of news, Rose couldn’t help but float to her seat, still watching the news on her phone as they skittered into class, Rose beaming like she had just won the lottery. She couldn’t hear the broadcast because Rose was listening with headphones, but that was fine. Anything for Rose. Juleka had already began to tune out Mrs Mendeleiev’s lesson.

 

Juleka smiled and discreetly pulled the tissues out of her bag, already pulling them to hand them to the sniffling Rose. She was used to the song and dance of this already as the broadcast showed the Prince stepping out of his white limo on screen, dark locks curling over his dark skin and his green eyes glimmering in the bright sunny Paris day.

 

He was handsome, not someone to really cry over but hey, her crush was sitting right next to her, what could she say?

 

”He’s just so gorgeous, and with a heart of gold!” Rose squealed, blowing her nose into the tissue. Sounds like someone I know.. Juleka thought, leaning her cheek on her elbow as she stared at her softly as Rose bit her lip and flushed with excitement in her now bouncing chair.

 

She was so adorable obsessed.

 

“You know what!” Juleka almost jolted out of her chair, dropping the next tissue she was mindlessly passing over to the girl when Rose perked up, grinning with excitement as she leaned to Juleka. “I'm gonna write him a letter professing my complete adoration and utmost respect!”

 

Fufilling her promise, Rose whipped out her favorite pink pencil and some paper, quickly writing down a passionate ode and shpeel or curly lovely words that were just so Rose it made Juleka’s heart skip just glancing at it. Rose even mentioned Mr Lavillant, Juleka hoped Ali would see it.

 

”WAAGH!”

 

The two paused for a moment but Rose continued to write as Marinette flopped in, looking frazzled as hell as the science teacher began to scold her.

 

Rose muttered a ‘finished!’ as she swirled in her initials- taking out her perfume to give it one more spritz of memories on it— to which Ms Mendeleiev rounded their table and snapped at them with her finger, shocking the two.

 

”Thank you, Rose. But I don't think our classroom needs extra refreshing” She said sourly, opening her hand out towards the two girls. Rose quite literally wilted as she held tightly to the perfume bottle, before shakily handing it over.

 

Juleka’s eyes snapped upwards in shock. Never before had Rose been out rightedly been called out for this. Juleka was not used to this and she didn’t like it- as she struggled not to rake her nails against the desk.

 

”Jeez, so that’s what that smell was..” Chloe muttered, wrinkling her nose with slight disgust. However the blonde made the mistake to glance backwards at Juleka who was 110% pissed and made sure the Bourgeois heiress could tell, as she awkwardly looked away.

 

However Ms Mendeleiev was not done as she motioned toward’s Rose’s other hands, her dark onyx eyes boring into her Rose.

 

”Furthermore, using your smartphone during school hours is strictly forbidden.” She said, confiscating Rose's cellphone and earphones before pointing out the door with a cross look “Take the rest of your things and go to the principal's office.”

 

Juleka was so close to snapping at her. How dare—

 

Rose’s face fell with sadness but she quickly scooped up her things, including the letter, and made her leave. Juleka was inches away from reaching out to put a comforting hand on her but missed, leaving her to sit alone. In an all too quiet table, in a science class she eventually tuned out of.

 

The last time she saw Rose before everything went wrong was after school. Juleka was heading out to the principal’s office when she had already heard Rose’s voice barely being picked up against Chloe’s.

 

”Chloe did you say something about Prince Ali, I wanted to give him this letter about how much I admire his—“ Rose started, only to be shut up as Chloe shoved past her, her letter being flown out of her hands.

 

“Rose I don’t care about your insert sad ‘ooh my family is sick’ or ‘Prince charming’ plot I need to get to some prince kid and deliver some toys!” Chloe shouted, throwing herself into the limo and blasting away. Juleka watched as the world seemed to punish Rose more as her letter was caught up in the Limo’s wheel and was torn to literal shreds.

 

There was silence.

 

Then Rose bolted away, tears streaming down her cheeks. It was the final snap of the day. Rage boiled in Juleka’s chest again and she sent a burning glare into the back of the limo for what Chloe had just done before she paused.

 

Wait I’m the only one who knows about Mr Lavillant.. Chloe was literally just throwing around insults she didn’t- 

 

Juleka turned and ran after Rose. Shit this was a misunderstanding.!

 

Catching up to her by the Seine, Juleka let out a shuddered collection of gasps, relief flooding through her that she saw Rose had stopped. Good she could do something. 

 

All it takes is one bad day..

 

“Rose?” Juleka sputtered, puttering down the steps as her legs ached “Rose, I don’t think she meant it, she didn’t know-“

 

She could finally see her, but when she heard the girl she loved’s voice, it made her stomach drop- as she saw Rose sir brokenheartedly at the side of the river, her eyes sullen and hopeless- and clutching the now corrupted bottle of perfume. Rose turned to Juleka, but there was nothing behind those eyes now.

 

Rose’s face was darkened with grief, face obscured by the glow of a violet butterfly, she hiccuped “I’m coming, My Prince..

 

Juleka ran.


And ran.

 

And ran and ran and ran and ran and ran and ran and ran and ran and ran and ran and ran and ran and ran—

 

She ran away from her. She ran away from Rose. Not even taking a second to think or look back at her. She had just ran and ran until she slammed through the Liberty door, shaking, trembling, unable to speak.

 

Not her. Not her way god why did it have to be her? Why this soon?

 

Sweat rolled down Juleka’s forehead, her throat dry as Anarka’s, Luka’s, and Plagg’s voice became barely audible as her mind screamed with both horror and fear as the news broadcast continued to play.


The horrible swell of pink smoke continues to take over the city at a terrifying rate! Where is Ladybug and Panthera Noire?” 

 

It felt like Cotten balls were clogged in her throat, as bile started to rise in her chest. Juleka’s skin itched and itched, and everything was both too cold and hot.

 

Juleka looked up through her red ruined fingers and messy hair, copper eyes burning with tears. She couldn’t see Rose’s form in the midst of the footage’s smoke. She could only hear Rose’s cackle and sing songy voice.

 

Did this mean she still loved Prince Ali? Was the comforted feeling of, ‘hey maybe I’ve got a fucking chance’ wrong? Damn it all if that was true, Juleka was nothing but a little mangy stray cat, she couldn’t win against a Prince!

 

Sniffling, she could feel a burning emotion inside of her chest twist and break as she stared at the tv. She knew what she needed to do. It was obvious. She couldn’t stand by for this- she would not be useless! She couldn’t!

 

This was her fault after all.

 

Juleka shot from the seat and began to stomp her way out of the door before her mother caught her shoulder

 

She turned around, ready to scream, to thrash, to break away from her mother who’d no doubt ask what the hell she thought she was doing- but was met with nothing but soft azure that momentarily brought her back to earth.

 

No words were said. Anarka just turned out of the room, Juleka was obligated to wait, as her mother returned with a half piece gasmask.

 

Juleka took it into her claws and without a word, shot out of the house.

 

“Kit, kit what are you doing?” Plagg finally spoke up, his voice dripping with worry as she stuffed the mask onto her face, buckling it around her head, and ran into the pink smog. “Kit!”

 

Juleka sucked in a deep breath, relieved to see that the mask was somehow working. But that mattered not to her. She just kept running.

 

“I don’t want to hurt Rose..” Juleka murmured, the boiling hatred within her continuing to burn in her chest “..but that isn’t Rose.. and if I have to hurt that.. thing.. to bring her back.. Then I will.”

 

”Juleka!”

 

”Plagg. Claws. Out.” Juleka snarled, and was overtaken by green light.

 

Bounding across the city like a wild animal, Panthera felt her blood pumping through her veins as she headed straight to where she knew her heart would be going. Both by logic and well, the drifting trail of pink perfume.

 

She managed to beat Princess Fragrance there, bursting through the window of one of the upper rooms. Panthera rolled across the glass covered floor just as the akuma went in.

 

She could hear Chloe’s gleeful cheer but it was smothered by the pounding in her ears as she lifted herself to her feet.

 

Emerging out of the pink fog, the smell of rot and overwhelming perfume hit her face. It nearly caused her to stagger in her place but she held her ground to at least see if there was anything left in Rose’s eyes, as she came completely out of the cloud of perfume.

 

No. There was nothing. There was nothing behind those eyes.

 

Rose’s face was a horrific, and sickly looking green. With a swirly mask covering over her eyes. Once blonde hair dyed into choppy pink locks. A crown like bun held at the back of her head with a long coil not unlike a perfume bottle, which matched directly to the rest of her dark outfit.

 

Panthera snarled, eyes narrowed as she spun her staff at her side, the two of them sizing eachother up. Her gas mask felt hot and sweaty over the half of her face it covered. Everything burned.

 

This was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Rose this was not Ros—

 

Rose’s laugh wouldn’t make her stomach drop with fear and rage, her smile was not a wide crooked grin, her soft skin was not the awful green, and her perfume bottle- clutched in the akuma’s claws- was not supposed to like that. And those eyes.. no.. Rose’s eyes were not that toxic pink. They were supposed to be blue.

 

THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE BLUE.

 

”My my!” Princess Fragrance chirped, “Would you look at that! Two potential princes in this room! If I swung the way of multiple partners I wouldn’t even hesitate gobbling you both up! But.. I’d rather have one of you for myself, at least for now..” she sang, aiming her gun “How about- Eeny, Meenie, Miny—“

 

Panthera jumped backwards and destroyed a blast of perfume shooting out of her gun. She watched as the pink smoke dissipated and, for some reason, flower petals flew around her. Princess Fragrance cooed.

 

“How chivalrous..” She purred, her voice tickling Panthera’s ears, making her grimace “That intense gaze.. so filled with anger.. are you perhaps.. fighting for my hand?”

 

Panthera said nothing to her, only glancing backwards

 

”The three of you! Beat it!” Panthera shouted, tail lashing angrily. 

 

”Right! Great idea! Where!?” Chloe barked. Panthera’s ears flattened against her head as she destroyed rose after rose, snarling with rage as Princess Fragrance just laughed and laughed and laughed and—

 

Panthera extended her pole to twenty feet, and reeling her arm backwards, and slammed it into Princess Fragrance’s stomach- sending her bowling through multiple walls. She didn’t move a muscle as an explosion of broken concrete and dust flooded the room and she turned to the three, vision trained on Chloe for a moment.

 

The adrenaline pumping through her veins kept her from thinking straight, thinking sane. Eyes wild and thin as she focused focused focused. Fucking focus. Focused on the task at hand.

 

You don’t know her you don’t know her you don’t know Rose Lavillant. That is not her. That is not her. That is not her. Just fucking fight.

 

“Brutal.” Chloe commented under her breath

 

“Akuma’s are tough, she’s fine. You three must get out of here. We sho-“ Panthera suddenly clasped a hand over her mouth, only being blocked by her gas mask. She swallowed down a mouthful of throw up. Oh god this was the first time she actually smelt the room, and well, them. This gas mask was shitty, this was supposed to be keeping her from smelling- oh god-

 

“What’s wrong with you?” Chloe asked,

 

Panthera opened her mouth, choking as she did her best not to breath in “A cat’s sense of smell.. is fourteen times stronger.. than a human’s.. it’s not that intense for me.. but I can smell everything in this room.” She gagged 

 

A long silence went through the room.

 

“Oh.”

 

More silence.

 

”Should we just-“ Chloe started

 

”Please..” Panthera said, pointing at the pole.

 

”It’s far too dangerous for the Prince!” Ali’s Chaprone said. Panthera paused, looking around and grabbing a random bowl and placing it on his head.

 

”There. Helmet. Good job buddy.” She said quickly

 

”Wow!” He beamed “How intuitive!”

 

”Yep. Okay, off you guys go.” Panthera said, pointing to the pole before glancing back at the slowly approaching sound of Rose’s voice, her eyes narrowed “Get to safety. I’ve got business I’m going to be taking care of.”

 

”Right-“

 

Just before she turned away though, checked over Prince Ali again, a sudden pull tickling at the back of her mind. And the soft sound of a sneeze made her sensitive ears twitch. 

 

”Hold on-“

 

She reached out and did a small safety check, like what they’d do in air ports. Prince Ali wasn’t bothered at all, just staring amazed at her presence. Patting him down a little, she opened his jacket briefly to see-

 

A Kwami. That was- that was definitely a kwami. Red and black- ladybug. Wow okay. Panthera blinked with surprise, seeing the very silent fear in, who she assumed was Tikki’s face as she pretended to be completely still. Well Prince Ali was definitely not Marinette so how Tikki got here was a fucking mystery-

 

With a quick slight of hand, she managed to pull Tikki out of his inner pocket and slipped it into her own.

 

”Okay- go.”

 

She watched them slip down the pole and retracted it as soon as she saw them disappear into a car. Panthera inhaled deeply, checking on Tikki- who and cut the doll act.

 

The kwami let out a few coughs, and for a moment, the rage inside Juleka’s mind.. dissipated. 

 

“You’re..” She croaked, holding the soft little trembling creature carefully in her palms “Tikki aren’t you..?”

 

”Panthera.. Noire..” Tikki let out a horrible cough “I need to get back to Ladybug..”

 

”Where is she?” Juleka asked quickly, “I can take you to her I- shit.. Rose..!”

 

Her head swung around and she could hear Princess Fragrance’s steps approaching closer and closer. Her finally clear mind processed each echoing click with terrifying precision. Calculating how close she was. Closer closer, what was she gonna do? How could she hurt Rose like that how-

 

”Panthera..” The kwami whimpered, and Juleka swore she could hear Plagg’s voice screaming commands from inside her ring. She inhaled deeply, ignoring the horrible smell in the air. Glancing downwards at the shattered glass. She could see someone peaking out of the kitchen.

 

Covered in weird drapes and a motorcycle helmet, in a disguise that was as ridiculous as her, she could see Marinette. Staring wide eyed and fearfully at the cat hero.

 

Juleka pursed her lips and tucked Tikki behind a curtain. Much to the kwami’s exhausted distress.

 

”There. I’ll text her and tell her where you are.” Juleka said “I’m sorry I have to leave you here, I need to save Rose.”

 

”Need to save Rose, hm?”

 

Juleka’s eyes thinned, as she felt a snarl build in her throat. Pointed teeth gnashing against eachother as she slowly turned around. Pulling herself out of the broken wall, Princess Fragrance let out a low giddy chuckle.

 

”Rose has been promptly executed my dear, only Princess Fragrance remains!” She said, “Now take a deep breath!”

 

Juleka froze at those words and couldn’t find herself to move for a moment, closing her eyes as a blast of pink dust covered her face. The perfume sting at her eyes, but breathing in, the mask let her breath her own controlled body.

 

The cat hero growled and burst forward, tackling Princess Fragrance through the walls again and tumbling them through more rooms. She let out a grunt of pain as the akuma attempted to punt her into the ground but Juleka simply kicked the shorter her girl off of her and sent them sprawling.

 

However just as she made the move to pounce on top of her-

 

”At your service, Princess Fragrance..~”

 

Juleka looked up in shock, hair pooling over her face as she looked up through the perfume flooded halls to see hotel guests, news reporters, children, adults, elders, staff alike- dazedly pulling themselves through the hall with flushed dark pink eyes- all singing the same thing-

 

“At your service, Princess Fragrance..~”

 

Juleka cursed under her breath and suddenly felt her her mask yanked at. She growled, grabbing Princess Fragrance and throwing her against a wall. She reached for her perfume gun, but feeling her gas mask loosen, and made the move to fix it-

 

Unfortunately, Princess Fragrance was faster, and using the butt of her gun- smacked the gas mask off of Juleka’s face. The cat her yelped, and feeling the cold fresh air hit her cheeks- and the perfume start to inhale into her lungs- Juleka clasped a hand over her mouth and nose and booked it down the hall. 

 

Her nails scraped against the tile as she made a hard turn, making her way up the stairs. She could see the trail of pink dust following her as she struggled to reduce her breathes, as she could feel the edge of her fingers and her muscles begin to numb and slack- and thoughts of turning back and letting Rose take her increased.

 

FOCUS! She told herself YOU NEED TO FOCUS!

 

Why don’t we let her.. it’s our fault anyways..

 

Juleka grimaced No! No we can’t! We-

 

We’re hurting her..  

 

We have to! We have to or else she’ll stay like this forever! 

 

And what’s so wrong with that... Juleka let out a roar of anger as she clenched her pounding head again, before bursting into a new dining hall.

 

”Oh Panthera, it’s such a shame.. you would’ve made a beautiful Prince for me..”

 

Juleka jerked around, taking out her baton as Princess Fragrance entered the room.

 

”You still can be, you know. You can be.. mine.”

 

Her dwindling consciousness screamed for her to breath in the cloud of dust Princess Fragrance sent her way, but Juleka forced herself to spin her baton, using it like a fan to keep it from reaching her burning lungs.

 

FIGHT!

 

DON’T HURT HER!

 

Juleka sprinted forward, ripping off her jacket and throwing it over the perfume bottle’s nozzle- smothering it and keeping the explosion of mind melting perfume to consume the rest of her mind.

 

Her claws extended out for a moment, before she clutched her hand into a fist and swung towards Princess Fragrance’s face. Her heart wasn’t into it, but it still sent the akuma tumbling.

 

She looked down at the akumatized object in her hand, she lifted up her fast to smash the bottle to pieces- but staring at it, all she could see was Mr Lavillant’s precious perfume bottle a-and—

 

”Give it back!” Princess Fragrance screeched

 

Juleka ducked as Princess Fragrance leapt at her, she looked up as the akuma wrangled the gun out of her abandoned jacket. The two stared at eachother intensely. Juleka found herself lowering to the ground instinctually- her baton in one hand as the other padded across the floor- the hero and villain circled eachother like wolves. Studying eachother.

 

Even like this though. Rose was beautiful. And she loved her. And that’s why it hurt.

 

Princess Fragrance stopped moving, simply tossing Juleka’s jacket over her shoulder and aimed her gun at Juleka, who readied herself to take it somehow.

 

I could fan it away, covering my mouth semi worked but it leaves me open.  She thought quickly, still pacing side to side as she raised from her knees, hair bristling as her eyes thinned into slits. Have to do something..

 

Her muscles tensed, pole spinning in her claws, as the two froze in their spots. Why hasn’t she shot yet? Juleka wondered. And that’s when she could see it.

 

Rose was shaking.

 

“I-I don’t want to..! I can’t hurt..-“ She sputtered, and for a moment Juleka could see Rose, and only Rose. Hands trembling over the trigger as she pointed the gun towards Juleka’s body.

 

Suddenly Rose’s body convulsed, Juleka watched as Princess Fragrance’s eyes turned cold, the butterfly mask glowing brightly on her face.

 

“Then I’ll do it.” Princess Fragrance spat, and she knew, it was Hawkmoth. Juleka immediately covered her nose and mouth as the room was filled with pink dust.

 

She ran straightforward and slammed into Princes Fragrance’s smaller body, shoving and pinning her to the ground. Her chest heaved up and down as she straddled her between her legs, her hair pooling over her shoulders- and she began to reel her arm back.

 

I have to. Her mind realized.

 

I HAVE TO! Her mind screamed TO SAVE HER!

 

“Sorry Sunbeam-“ she murmured.

 

For a moment, she was sure she saw Rose again. Even with those gleaming pink eyes, just for those few moments, she had her world back.

 

“Panthera?” She sputtered, before her face twisted again with anger as the butterfly returned. No. Juleka reeled her hand all the way back and smashed her fist into Princess Fragrance’s nose.

 

This wasn’t Rose anymore. Rose would never do this. This was fucking Hawkmoth’s fault and she-

 

Princess Fragrance struggled against her, but her grip only tightened.

 

-she was going to make him hurt.

 

Lifting Princess Fragrance up by the collar, her emerald eyes burning with a cold fury as she stared through her, right an Hawkmoth.

 

-she was going to make him pay!

 

Hawkmoth..” She hissed through her fangs, chest heaving as her hackles raised even more.

 

Princess Fragrence’s face twisted in pain before settling into a cold and calculating expression again, almost looking years older with a simple shift of expression and aura.

 

They said nothing. Juleka’s thin emerald eyes narrowed darkly, the bubbling feel of rage in her chest grew heavier and heavier by the second, and her hands shook with anger as she grabbed Princess Fragrance by the neck, keeping her down.

 

“I’ll find you- and I’ll make sure to rip out every sin from your body and shove them up your GODDAMN ASS!” Juleka snarled, as she reeled her arm back to slam it across Princess Fragrence’s face again

 

”P-Panthera.!”

 

Juleka paused, her eyes widening as she heard the struggle in Rose’s voice. Her face fell in horror as she found her other arm choking the girl beneath her and she could suddenly feel the tears running down her own masked face.

 

She couldn’t breath. She- she was- Rose looked up at her with wide shaking pink eyes, fumbling weakly at Juleka’s claws.

 

”Rose..” She softly voice, her hands shaking as she lifted it off Rose, who gasped out in pain as she breathed in shaking gulps of air. Oh god. Oh god fuck. Fuck what have- what have I- What HAVE I DONE?!

 

YOU’RE JUST LIKE HIM

 

Juleka’s arms fell, shaking her head frantically N-No I’m not! I’m not like him!

 

YOU HURT HER!

 

I DIDN’T MEAN TO! She thought frantically, feeling like she was going to throw up at the bruised and bloody face of her heart, of her Rose.

 

Those familiar dark blotches of littered immortalizations of her sins going up her neck and across her cheeks. Nonononono no no nono no.

 

YOU’E A MONSTER

 

She could feel tears shedding down her face, hands shaking erratically “R-Rose I’m so sor—“

 

Juleka yelped in pain as she was kicked off of the shorter girl’s body, grimacing as Rose’s face was overtaken by the butterfly visor. Juleka tumbled across the ground, clambering back to her knees only to stop when she looked up.

 

Her eyes widened with fear as Princess Fragrance aimed her gun only a few centimeters away from Juleka’s face with a cruel smile. Nothing behind those eyes. Nothing behind those eyes. Nothing behind those eyes.

 

”Stupid kitty” Princess Fragrance purred, rubbing her neck sorely before she stepped forward and caressed Juleka’s cheek and then aimed her perfume gun back at Juleka’s face. Juleka’s ears flattened against her head, as her heart sank to her stomach.

 

Hopeless, hopeless, hopeless, weak.

 

Was there really nothing I could do? She wondered.

 

”You did such a good job trying to be a prince, but why don’t you just leave the rest..“ Princess Fragrance smiled, her toxically pink eyes burning into Juleka’s soul- “..to your Princess Fragrance..

 

Juleka opened her mouth to speak, only to breath in a cloud of perfume.

 

She felt her face numb and it was like she was thrown into a sinking abyss. Swallowing her whole. She let out a silent scream, her lungs filling with perfume, with blood, with dark inky water that stung her eyes.

 

She attempted clawed through the darkness but found nothing. So she sank. And gave into the warmth of the unconscious. It felt like Rose. It smelt like Rose. It felt like release. Like love.

 

She gave in. And she found.. happiness.

 

And soon everything faded to a black, that said welcome home.

 

...

 

Marinette burst into the open room of the hotel, immediately covering her mouth from the abundance of perfume.

 

She hadn’t expected for that healing session with the mysterious man take so long. She glanced around the empty dining hall room and going through the hole in the wall Panthera had made of the Akuma, she found Panthera’s dark gas mask on the floor.

 

Marinette bit down her fear of why it wasn’t with the cat hero anymore and slung it on, finding herself being able to breath without her conscious dwindling.

 

Focus Ladybug. She told herself. Find your cat.

 

Ladybug spun her yo-yo nervously, stepping through the hall. Before she could hear a familiar humming voice.

 

”Panthera!” Ladybug gasped, running through the perfume clouds as she swerved through the stair case and skidded into the upper dining hall- opening the door.

 

The room was covered in the pink clouds, and while she could barely smell it, she definitely couldn’t see last ten feet. Looking up however, where the fragrance didn’t lie, She could see Panthera Noire, hanging from one of the upper windows. Humming lazily as her tail swung side to side.

 

“Panthera! I’m here! I’m so sorry I was late, T-Tikki was sick and—“

 

Panthera twisted off of the window sill and landed on the ground, Ladybug stumbled backwards instinctually. Something was wrong. That was obvious. Something, no, not just something. Everything was wrong.

 

”Panthera?”

 

Slowly Panthera looked up at her, and Marinette stumbled back in fear at that dazed smile stretched across Panthera’s flushed dizzy eyed expression.

 

”Oh would you look at that..”

 

Marinette’s head spun up as Princess Fragrance began to make her way down towards them with the overwhelming aura of a queen, her dizzying hot pink eyes burning into hers with an enthralled looking Prince Ali at her side.

 

”..A pest has made it into our lovely kingdom. Panthera Noire, by dearest knight. Obey your Princess, and take her miraculous!” Princess Fragrance shouted, and Marinette let out a shout of fear as Panthera threw herself onto her.

 

”At your service, My Princess!~” Panthera sang, as she grinned from ear from ear in a terrifying grin. Marinette kicked her off of her, ladybug whirling around wildly before her face fell with frustration as Princess Fragrance let out a cackle and pulled Prince Ali.

 

”No one is getting in the way this time..” Princess Fragrance growled, and disappeared behind the doors of the lift. Ladybug’s head snapped back to her brainwashed super hero partner and ducked under a swing.

 

”Panthera snap out of it!” Ladybug frantically shouted, as Panthera proceeded to swipe and attempt to tear at her, growling with each attempt, before she pulled out her pole and began to swing.

 

”Give me your miraculous, Pest!” Panthera snarled as the wind around them picked up, every so often reaching for the gas mask tightly locked to Ladybug’s face. “Give it for Princess Fragrance!”

 

”Panthera this isn’t you! Snap out of it!” Marinette barked, whipping her yo-yo around and managing to tie it around Panthera’s pole. Causing them to tug at eachother’s weapons, staring at eachother in their locked position. “Panthera please!”

 

”Give it! Give it to her!” Panthera rasped, pink irises thinning “Stop getting in the way! WHY CAN’T YOU JUST LET HER BE HAPPY!?”

 

Ladybug jumped backwards and grabbed onto the nearest chair, blocking Panthera as she brought down her pole onto it. Marinette gasped in pain as wood splinters flew every, her suit barely numbing the pain.

 

Panthera made a lunge towards Marinette’s earrings and the ladybug heroine slammed her shoes into her cat’s chest. Knocking the wind out of her and sending her barreling into the pink smog.

 

She leapt to her feet, hearing the scraping against tile and puttering of feet echo around her. Before it stopped. Ladybug’s eyes widened, and she swerved around just in time to face Panthera’s pouncing body.

 

Marinette sprung forward, slipping under Panthera’s attack- before she yanked on her partner’s tail and slammed her into the ground.

 

“I’m sorry Kitty..” she said, before she booked it through the pink fragrance and back out into the hall, locking the door. She could hear Panthera’s roar of anger reach her ears, but she kept running.

 

She burst out to the rooftops of the Grande Paris, eyes wide as she saw Princess Fragrance standing on top of the hotel as the streets around them poured with the pink fragrance. The akuma looked down at her with a scowl.

 

”What have you done to my knight?!” She shouted.

 

”Put her in time out! Why don’t you join her?” Ladybug quipped, swinging her yo-yo beside her, yelping as Princess Fragrance took a shot at her face. The mask wasn’t as strongly protected as she thought it was, as she her eyes stung with tears and she could feel the tips of her body numb as she was sent stumbling back.

 

Marinette leapt backwards, dodging blast after blast as she awkwardly tried to tighten the gas mask more on her face. Eventually, Princess Fragrance leapt down from the rooftop, hand in hand with a brainwashed Prince Ali.

 

“Rose why are you doing this?!” Ladybug shouted

 

“For the Prince of course! After all I am his princess and I..” Princess Fragrance said bombastically, before her voice just.. died. Her smile dropped and she just scoffed, ”..What am I doing?”

 

Marinette blinked with surprise as Rose looked away from her, and towards the falling sun against the Paris skyline. Her hand falling from Ali’s grasp.

 

”I’m not even in love with Prince Ali” The akuma chuckled softly, caressing the dazed looking prince before looking away from him, her pink eyes not showing a trace of change in her identity of either the Tyranical Psychotic Princess or the Girl Marinette Wanted to Cure, just truth “It was never about him. It was about what he did.. he gave me.. so much hope..”

 

Princess Fragrance snapped and suddenly in a quick shuffle, a couple of servants jumped towards her command and scooted a chair for her to sit on.

 

Marinette stepped back as Panthera’s brainwashed body moved past her and and slunk over next to the akuma’s throne. Purring loudly like some kind of lap-cat as the akuma combed through her cat’s hair. Her once green eyes sparkling a hot, dazed, and enthralled pink.

 

”Shit.. I’m not even in love with Panthera. There’s nothing I really know about her it’s just this beautiful image in my head I- I don’t know what her favorite color is, what her eye color really is, other than her sweet words I don’t know- I don’t know what she thinks about me..” Rose whispered, pink eyes searching across Panthera’s dazed face. “I..”

 

Rose looked around her, her grip on her perfume gun tightening as she let go of Panthera

 

..this isn’t what I wanted.

 

Marinette blinked.

 

Wow she didn’t expect that to actually work.

 

However her relief and immediate urge to take the opportunity to attack just kinda.. dropped for a moment.

 

’”I don’t get love at first sight much, like, what do you know about him that hasn’t been shared in the internet?”

”There’s nothing I really know about her it’s just this beautiful image in my head I- I don’t know what her favorite color is, what her eye color really is, other than her sweet words I don’t know- I don’t know what she thinks about me..”’

 

Panthera’s text and Rose’s voice echoed in her mind as she felt her legs wobble underneath her for a questioning moment. Do I.. love Adrien?

 

But then, just as Marinette made a few steps forward to try and comfort her friend, Rose suddenly convulsed with pain, clutching her head in agony as she let out a struggled shout. Marinette reached forward.

 

”Rose!”

 

Princess Fragrance’s neck snapped forward, a harshly glowing butterfly visor covering dull violet eyes.

 

”Intolerable..” They growled, sending a blast of smog towards her that she barely dodged “If she is dissatisfied, then fine, that is her problem.. I shall take my half of the deal..”

 

”Hawkmoth..” Marinette realized, face falling “You’re..”

 

The villain let out a long cackle, before grinning crookedly, her voice overtaken by the tone of the man behind the akuma

 

“It’s nice to formally meet you, Miss Ladybug. And better yet, say goodbye.” Hawkmoth purred through Rose’s voice “Atta—“

 

He was suddenly cut off by a horrible screech as the two turned to see Panthera writhing on the ground, before snarling and pouncing at the akuma, hot pink eyes glowing viciously.

 

Not my Princess.!” She hissed through her teeth

 

”Panthera!” Marinette screamed

 

”GET OFF ME YOU SLAVE!” They ordered, kicking the cat off of them and sending them sprawling across the floor. The scowl that stretched across Princess Fragrance’s face was one she had never wanted to see before “Tch, how sentimental.”

 

Panthera hissed in pain, but was unable to stand

 

”I’ll be taking that ring..” Princess Fragrance said, reaching for the fallen cat.

 

”Lucky Charm!”

 

Princess Fragrance turned around in time to get an entire clothes rack to the face. Hawkmoth screamed through her in pain, but the butterfly disappeared, leaving Princess Fragrance to stumble across the ground.

 

Marinette’s eyes narrowed as she ripped off her gas mask, and using one of the clothespins and pinching it on her nose. Somehow, despite it not covering her mouth, prevented the perfume to affect her.

 

She ran over to Panthera’s fallen body, smacking away her grabby hands and shoving the gas mask onto the cat hero’s face.

 

I can’t do this, not without you. She thought, as Panthera began to breath-

 

...

 

Juleka let out a gasp of air, feeling fresh oxygen flood through her lungs, and her eyes snapping open as if she had woken up from a long, suffocating slumber.

 

The warmth in her body that had lulled her into it had been doused to nothing, as her control over her limbs returned, it felt like someone had thrown a cold bucket of water over her.

 

”Partner..” She rasped, hands reaching up her face and finding her gas mask still on it as she stared up at Marinette’s wide and relief filled eyes.

 

They were on the roof top now, and she could see at the corner of her eye-

 

“Rose..”

 

”It’s not Rose.” Marinette said, of course it’s not “Hawkmoth he.. he controlled her.. for a moment he..”

 

”Same for me..” Juleka coughed, looking up at Marinette “Are you okay?”

 

”I’m fine.” Marinette hugged onto her, Juleka blinked with surprise. Was she really this worried about me?

 

She felt her chest rumble in a low purr as her awkwardly hovering hands clasped around Marinette and she melted in the hug for a moment, before Ladybug pulled her back to her feet and they faced Princess Fragrance.

 

”You’ve ruined everything!” Princess Fragrance spat, god what happened when I was out? Juleka wondered. Oh my Rose..

 

The two rushed forward, Juleka dodged under a sweeping kick from her beloved and stopped her mid punch- before feeling the nozzle of a gun touching her cheek.

 

Juleka was sent stumbling back several feet as Princess Fragrance shot her point blank, and while the dizzying mind control effects managed to not leak through her mask, the force of the gun shot still caused her to shake her head in pain as a cloud of perfume surrounded the two girls.

 

She blocked a jab towards the stomach and pushed Rose to the ground, faces inches apart. She could see the blotches of bruises, scrapes, and injuries Juleka had given her. She had caused this. But damn it. She was going to finish this.! Like the monster she was!

 

Let her go.” She spat.

 

”Give me your miraculous..!” Princess Fragrance growled, thrashing her off as suddenly Ladybug ran in, using the lucky charm clothes rack and pretty much clamping it over the akuma like some kind of pillory. “What the—“

 

Juleka’s eyes narrowed in on the perfume bottle and snatched it into her hand. She rose it to smash it against the ground but her face fell staring at it.

 

Running a claw over Mr Lavillant’s now corrupted bottle, she looked up at Marinette and Rose thrashing against eachother. Break it. Break it. Break it. You have to break it. 

 

But it’s..

 

BREAK IT!

 

Juleka breathed in a shaken breath, and staring down at the akumatized perfume bottle, a single phrase echoed in her mind. Save her.

 

Letting out a pained grunt, she crushed the bottle in her hands, feeling the glass shatter and stab into her palms. The perfume pouring down her wrists. She couldn’t tell if there was any blood- but that didn’t matter, as rising out of the syrupy pink liquids was the akuma butterfly.

 

Juleka’s ears twitched as she stared up at the fluttering butterfly before it was swiped out of the air.

 

”No more evil doing for you little akuma..” Marinette whispered, holding the glowing yo-yo in her palms before releasing the stark white creature, “Bye bye little butterfly..”

 

Juleka turned and watched as the corrupted bubbled off of Rose, leaving the girl in her place. Hair a soft blonde, clothes their lovely pink, and her eyes. Her eyes were blue again. She was back. 

 

The cat hero could barely control her sobs of her relief as exhaustion flooded through her again before Marinette freed the dazed Rose from the lucky charm trap and in a quick motion, threw it up into the air.

 

”Miraculous ladybug!”

 

Juleka closed her eyes in a soft purr as the healing ladybugs washed over her, kissing her bruises and pains away, and she looked down- to see Louis Lavillant’s perfume bottle back in her hands.

 

Ladybug’s earrings beeped indignantly.

 

”Shoot I’ve got to go!” She exclaimed, looking between Juleka and Rose. She ran to Juleka and gave her a sweeping hug before pulling away quickly “Good work Panthera! I’ll see you later!”

 

Juleka waved goodbye, realizing the lack of beeping in her ring. I guess I didn’t use cataclysm..

 

She turned and saw Rose on the ground, but before she could step forward to comfort her, to give her back the perfume bottle- Prince Ali beat her there, helping her to her feet.

 

”Are you okay?”

 

Juleka’s heart momentarily sunk but instead of some, fairy tale, dramatic kiss- Rose just smiled surprised at the Prince.

 

”P-Prince Ali? What am I..” Rose looked around, and her expression fell. “..did I? I remember..”

 

“Rose.”

 

Juleka stepped forward, catching the girl’s attention. A soft sad smile went across her lips and she handed Rose the bottle, 

 

“I believe this is yours.” She smiled, glancing at Prince Ali and giving a curt bow as Rose inspected her bottle carefully and with such nervous gentleness “Your highness.”

 

Juleka sucked in an uneasy breath, staring at Rose. She’s okay, she’s back. Thank goodness. She could feel her knees almost give under her.

 

”I’ll be going now, Sunbeam.”

 

Rose blinked up at her, and nodded. “Thank you, Panthera Noire.”

 

The gothic hero smiled, and before the girl could see her tears of relief- Juleka sped away.

 

...

 

Going home was tough for Rose. Part of her wanted to scream, sob, curse everything away and throw her papa’s perfume bottle away- but as she held it tighter, she knew she could never do that.

 

The few hours she spent with Prince Ali was wonderful, spending her time, talking about their shared passions and experiences. Death was not something Prince Ali was naive with, and he knew so. His wide eyed view on life reminded her of her own, and it was nice. But it was not a date. For a date would require her to want to date him.

 

Rose did not want Prince Ali.

 

Rose slowly stepped out of her balcony doors after her long emotional talk with her mother (which ended in tears and hugging), before blinking with surprise.

 

”Panthera.”

 

”Hello Princess” The cat hero purred, leaning carefully on the roof and handing her a purple hyacinth “A lovely night, isn’t it?”

 

Rose smiled softly as she clutched the flower close to her softly beating chest. But.. there was an absence of love inside it, just, a simple happiness that Panthera was there. That was all. Because Rose knew who she loved now. She was just reflecting who that was onto the girl in front of her.

 

That wasn’t fair to Panthera, and that surely wasn’t fair to Juleka.

 

Rose wanted Juleka.

 

Rose sat down on chair as Panthera curled up over the balcony, dancing on top of the shingles and softly murmuring a song she probably thought Rose couldn’t recognize- emerald eyes soft as the spring leaves, but not the ones she’d wish to gaze into on her wedding day.

 

But she let herself smile, inhaling the smell of her perfume, and not seeing it as a burden. She looked up at Panthera and let her heart flutter, and skip, but let it simmer and grow gentle again. Because despite Panthera’s passion, that fierce fire that made Rose want to scream ‘take me’- she knew her heart belonged to someone else.

 

To someone familiar. To someone who had always had it, even if Rose hadn’t known. Juleka. Juleka. Juleka. Her heart would best every time she thought about her, and it felt like she was light. Rose smiled softly, looking at her friend.

 

”I’m sorry about today..” Rose murmured, catching Panthera’s attention. “I hope I didn’t..”

 

”No! No no-“ Panthera said quickly “I- I kinda got knocked out for- most of it- are you okay? I- I hurt you a lot and..”

 

Rose just patted her on the shoulder “Panthera, I’m okay, I was worried about you.” The two stared at eachother “Would you like some snacks?”

 

Panthera stared at her for a long moment before she blinked slowly and smiled, her chest letting out a soft rumble

 

“Yes, yes I would”

 

...

 

”What gives!?”

 

Juleka didn’t move as she kept Chloe pinned to the bathroom wall in some kabedon like position, her dark amber eyes narrowed with a bubbling annoyance that had burst out a few seconds ago when she had saw Chloe in the hall with a bottle of perfume she had been planning on ‘gifting’ to Rose as some replacement for her ‘shitty bottle’.

 

”You tried to replace Rose’s perfume bottle.” She hissed

 

”It smelled awful!” Chloe reasoned, trying to scootch away only to squeak when Juleka blocked her escaping path with her other arm as she dropped her leg forward, causing their faces to come closer as she snarled.

 

”It was her dad’s! He made it before he died!” Juleka shouted, shutting Chloe up “She-“ Juleka looked away, hiding beneath her bangs “-you can’t just replace something like that!” 

 

A long uncomfortable silence filled the space between them and Juleka felt the own echo of her voice dug beneath her skin as her shoulders locked and she hugged herself, stepping away from the girl. God what was she thinking here? Stupid stupid stupid...

 

Chloe took in a deep breath, scratching the back of her neck weakly.

 

“What do I do then?”

 

”Huh?” Juleka looked up

 

”I..” Chloe pursed her lips as if it was poison to try and say it “I want to fix this..”

 

Juleka blinked before smiling “A simple apology would be nice.”

 

Chloe rolled her eyes “Well I’m sor—“

 

”Not to me” Juleka corrected, Chloe sucked in an uneasy breath and nodded, before shuffling out of the bathroom. Juleka let out a soft laugh, Plagg poking his head out of her messenger bag and just smiling. Maybe things really were getting better.

 

...

 

”Here we are, dear! The city of Love! Aren’t you excited?” A woman with a thick Italian accent said, dancing down the street with a suitcase trailing behind her. The world chipper and greeting her. Because she said it did.

 

“Yes yes, Mama, so very excited!” The Italian girl said all too excitedly despite the slight annoyed twitch in her brow “Can’t wait to meet my new classmates!”

 

”Oh that’s the spirit, now I’ve heard there’s some weird things going on here according to the Chairman, but you’re going to behave and make some new friends, okay?” Her mother said before perking up “Ooh! And maybe even a little special someone?~”

 

Her false smile broke a moment before her mask quickly returned.

 

“Oh Mama..” She said in a playful whine and the woman pinched her cheek.

 

”Come now! Our new home is awaiting!” The woman sing songed, dancing away.

 

”Yes..” Lila said weakly, the Paris sun blinding her eyes “Can’t wait..”




 

 

 

Notes:

Chloe: MOVE OUT OF THE WAY IM WORKING ON MY REDEMPTION ARC
Rose: *gets akumatized*
Chloe: SHIT

Ffffffffffyep. Yep yeppity yep. Mhm. Ow.
Yeah so, Rose’s dad. I was up in the middle of the night when I came up with that
idea, and I was like: aHAH! THATS ANOTHER REASON WHY SHE LOVES ALI!
A few things happened and I ended up chucking most of the ‘Rose is in love with Prince Ali’ thing. Cause the akumatation had more to do with her dad than her romance. Though that didn’t stop her admiration of Ali to turn into a little bit of yandere-ness. Gabriel can’t read shit man he just assumed.

I just- yanderes make me uncomfortable I don’t like writing them. I totally could. But I’d be really uncomfortable doing it! So I’m not! So what’s here is here :)

Anyways.

I hope you enjoyed.. that catastrophe.

I actually ended up rewatching some of Persona 4 for Princess Fragrance’s lines, specifically Shadow Yukiko because of her “My Prince” lines. God I love Persona

I named Rose’s dad Louis after Louis Armstrong, because Rose’s whole thing is being a pun on La vie en Rose.

Anyways, new challenger approaching who’s this? *checks tags* haha
Uh oh.
Y’all should’ve expected this from me man idk what y’all think

Juleka: I can’t win against a prince!
Tumblr Followers: are you sure about that?

one of the songs I’ve been repeating for this chapter was Dixie Boy by April Smith and while that wasn’t featured anywhere, the tune to “Greensleeves” did. And if you know the lyrics to that, you’ll know why I choice that. Also because of Marceline and that entire arc. Yeah.
This chapter has a lot of songs in it. Apologizes

Idk if that’s how gas masks work, probably not, but honestly, I’m just gonna say fuck logic here, it’s got like some filter on it.

ALSO I HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOYED THE ART! TOOK ME LIKE 40 MINUTES TO WHIP UP BUT I THOUGHT THIS CHAPTER DESERVED SOME ART! Next chapter will have some doodles too. Hope you like it! If you can’t see it, here’s a post that can show it to you: https://justanotherpersonsuniverse.tumblr.com/post/633996584973221888/panthera-noire-in

Chapter 32: Volpina

Summary:

Right uhhhhh
*checks the tags*

Uh
Don’t read if you’re hoping for Lila salt

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

“Panthera”

 

The cat hero looked up at Marinette, she seemed to be in the middle of a muttering fest but still brightened when seeing the ladybug girl.

 

It had been about 6 hours since the purification of Princess Fragrance.

 

”Partner!” Panthera grinned, waving a little too enthusiastically “What a lovely night it is! How are you?”

 

Marinette smiled and handed her a cup of coffee, as the two sat down.

 

”Quite happy now that I’m here with you” 

 

The strained smile on Panthera’s face fell softly and the red hero felt her heart warm as she could fear the soft familiar purr rumbling out of Panthera’s chest as the two leaned on eachother for warmth.

 

No words needed to be said tonight. But the words Rose still spat back so many hours still stung with her for some reason, and the thoughts she desperately smothered still came back out with a vengeance.

 

Do I love Adrien Agreste?

 

With every question she’d answer that of course she did! But with every answer came another reasoning that damned that.

 

We’re just forcing it. We don’t. And she’d ignore it, and try not to think about how each time that voice spoke, it became more and more convincing and kind. It’s okay to not like him anymore.

 

Marinette hoped she’d get a break tomorrow.

 

”Hey Partner,” Panthera said with a smile, catching her attention “Wanna learn something cool?”

 

...

 

”..You okay Jules?”

 

Juleka blinked softly, as her mouth clamped close from her long yawn as she looked down softly at Rose.

 

”M’fine” She said, rubbing her eyes a bit “Didn’t get much sleep last night”

 

”Oh? How come?”

 

”Cause..”

 

Juleka looked away shyly, cheeks burning a little under her hair “Cause.. I was worried about you. Yesterday.”

 

She didn’t catch how Rose’s face flushed a bright pink as the blonde began to play with her hair “I-Is that so?”

 

”Are you okay?”

 

”Yes! Fine! S-Super!” Rose grinned, looking up at her brightly “I.. I hope you get some rest..”

 

”Uhm, yeah, thank you, Rose” Juleka smiled, her voice soft as she rubbed her ring around her finger

 

Rose nodded, thinking “Yeah and that Gala Chloe invited the class to is coming up in a few days and and-“ she blinked, looking up at Juleka “wait are you going?”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Are you going to the gala?”

 

“Ah. Uh. Well. As long as we don’t have to pay..” Juleka scratched the back of her neck shyly, she vaguely remembers getting that email “I mean- I don’t really have anyone to go with so I wasn’t planning to..”

 

“Maybe we can.. go together then?” Rose piped. Juleka’s face burned red as she weakly smiled

 

“Yeah! Yes! Yeah yeah! Mhm!” Juleka nodded quickly “That sounds great! I’d I’d- I’d love that. To. I’d love to go to the gala, with you.”

 

Rose beamed “Sweet! It’ll be so much fun! Oh right- and—“

 

”Excuse me?”

 

Juleka blinked at the unfamiliar voice, and the two girls turned around to see a girl Juleka had never seen before.

 

With her long dark hair tied in two locks hanging in front of her shoulder, dark dress with an orange cardigan- a girl with striking green eyes smiled politely at them.

 

”Hello, I’m Lila Rossi. I’m a new transfer here for..” She checked her phone “..Ms Bustier’s home room? Do you know where that is?”

 

The amount of time it took from Rose to go from a soft serene smile to a beaming excited grin was about negative three seconds-

 

“Ohmygosh! Well it’s nice to meet you, Lila! I’m Rose, this is Juleka” Rose quickly greeted, shaking the poor girl’s had like a madman, but the polite smile never left her face it was, it was actually a little unnerving to the goth. “Oh you’re gonna love it here, everyone here is so nice and like if you ignore the akumas Ladybug and Panthera Noire are just—“

 

Juleka flashed a nervous smile at Lila “Uh, home room is up the stairs kinda, over there-“ She mumbled, pointing off to the courtyard for the transfer student’s escape.

 

Lila gave her a smile and nodded “Thank you, I guess I’ll see you later!”

 

They waved goodbye and heard someone behind them sigh, some students. 

 

”You guys are lucky! Lila is so cool..” One said

 

”And pretty..” A taller boy whined

 

”And nice.!” Another pepped up.

 

”She is.” Juleka acknowledged with a raised eyebrow, with Rose who gave a slightly edged laugh. 

 

“And did you hear? Apparently she personally knows Prince Ali! And got to ride in his private jet once! And is a friend to Jagged Stone!” They all whispered, as the group of students fell into a collection of muttering of awe

 

”I heard she’s the daughter of an Italian ambassador.. how exotic..”

 

“Maybe we should befriend her! And see if she can connect us!”

 

”Oh my gosh yes!”

 

”I wouldn’t mind being her boyfriend..”

 

”Well” Juleka quickly said, despite the closing in her throat catching their distracted attention “Uhm, she’s new here, so maybe don’t overwhelm her..”

 

”Yeah” Rose agreed, one of the students chuffed, flicking her hair and suddenly turning aggressive.

 

”Right, your class is just so lucky! Don’t act all high and mighty just because you’ve got the Mayor’s daughter, the Lady Blogger, and Adrien Agreste in there as your classmates!” They spat, Juleka blanched and stepped back a little, but Rose stepped up immediately 

 

“Not just our classmates, our friends, who won’t be happy if you mess with any of us! Now get!” Rose huffed, much to their annoyance as they trampled away. Juleka sighed with relief, despite the sinking in her chest. Can’t even protect myself.. 

 

“I kinda forgot we had so many famous kids in our class..” She mumbled, scratching behind her neck as the two began to walk to class, Juleka completely missing Alya and Marinette walking by them.

 

”Well yeah! But can you believe what they said though? That Lila got to fly in a jet with Prince Ali?” Rose said, her excitement back. Juleka nodded,

 

”Sure I guess.. if her ma’ is the ambassador..” Juleka thought, tapping her finger on her lips curiously, she glanced seeing Marinette having some sort of freak out in the courtyard and she smiled at Rose “Let’s just get to class? I haven’t heard how your time with Prince Ali was”

 

Rose grinned, looping her hands with Juleka ”Okay!”

 

...

 

You know what, Juleka was having a decent day for once. Lila was really nice, though she looked semi tired at the end of class, and went out apparently with Adrien to study, how nice of him. And right now, Juleka was eating some sandwiches with Rose.

 

Too bad it ended so quickly.

 

“Rose..” Juleka said, her breath catching in her throat “Run.”

 

The giant ass meteor about the size of the school was crashing down towards earth. Juleka spun to the frozen with fright girl.

 

”I SAID RUN!”

 

Students and teachers alike began to scream, running around while Ms Mendeleiev was already screaming about the clear catastrophe this was in terms of both what the fuck and something something, dinosaurs. This was definitely not how she wanted to spend her lunch period.

 

Juleka meanwhile, burst out of school, darting through the streets before skidding into an alleyway- her heart racing.

 

”Plagg!” She shouted, digging through her bag. The cat poke out of her pocket.

 

”What?” He yawned, blinking upwards at the meteor “Oh that’s interesting.”

 

”Plagg, Claws Out!”

 

She jumped out of the alleyway, claws scraping against the brick, before she was bounding across the city. How are we supposed to stop a fucking meteo—

 

The bricks underneath her heels broke and she was sent tumbling down. Juleka squeaked, falling through the air, before twisting around and landing on her feet. She wheezed, before looking up in confusion.

 

Sitting in front of her was a strange.. eh.. poster? She swore this used to be a Ladybug poster, but instead it was of.. a strange familiar looking girl in a fox costume carrying Adrien Agreste?

 

Juleka reached forward and tried to brush her hand across it, only to blink with surprise as it disappeared in a flash of orange smoke that made her cough.

 

The poster was back, and while Juleka had originally thought that was a strange hallucination, she waved around through the puffs of orange clouds that wisped away to nothing.

 

Her eyes narrowed before she snapped back to attention and began running down the street again towards the Louvre, where the meteor was headed. Her heart racing.

 

However just as she skidded onto a nearby building, her eyes widened as an orange blur shot by her, and in an explosion of force, the meteor was slowly slowed to a stop by a small figure- stopping on a nearby rooftop.

 

Juleka’s ear twitched and she slipped down the alleyway, eyes still wide before the figure somehow managed to push the meteor back upwards before shooting the meteor into the atmosphere, and-

 

Exploding it into a ring of dust?

 

People still cheered for “Volpina” and for a moment, Juleka assumed the meteor just straight up exploded. But no.. those clouds of orange smoke..

 

Just like the poster.. wait..

 

Juleka didn’t trust this Volpina, and spotting a red figure by a roof, she quickly clambered over to Ladybug. Who’s face was twisted with irritation and thought. Her mouth opened to tell the girl what she had thought only for the orange blur of light to shoot down right next to them.

 

She squeaked, as Volpina lifted her head- and Juleka took in her look.

 

Long maroon hair in two tied locks hanging from the side of her face that faded to a curly white, her suit a light orange with a pale stomach and chest. While two long fox ears twitched above her head. A sash that flapped out into a tail curled behind the girl, and her sharp thin green eyes glowed beneath her mask.

 

It was the same girl from the poster. She didn’t like this.

 

Juleka didn’t step back, despite the bristling in her hair as Ladybug swung around as well in equal, but more visual surprise. The fox hero met her suspicious gaze with a polite smile that made Juleka feel an uneasy chill go up her spine.

 

“Volpina, right?” She greeted, with a strained smile, glancing at Ladybug and back “Can’t believe it took us this long to get a new teammate.”

 

”Teammate? Don’t you think it’s so suspicious that-“ Marinette started, Juleka’s tail lashed Partner Shh! If she know’s we’re suspicious she might go aggressive! She mentally screamed, forcing herself to pretend she ignored her.

 

”Hey hey, at least she got the job done! Right, Partner? We can’t help but appreciate that!” She said, before sending a look at Marinette. The ladybug hero looked slightly hurt and ticked, so Juleka wasn’t sure she got the correct message.

 

Juleka looked at Volpina who preened at the praise. No good. No good at all. We need to keep her close. But I can’t send Marinette a clear message without blowing off the idea that I trust her. Unless..

 

”Right right! I’m a miraculous hero! Just like you two! Anyways, there’s no time, I need your two’s help. On my way here, I saw something nuts. Let’s go!” Volpina shouted, before shooting off the building. Ladybug followed before Juleka could yank her backwards and grunted, jumping forward as well.

 

Something’s wrong. Really wrong. I don’t like this and I don’t know how to prove what I saw. Juleka thought Marinette is definitely suspicious too, but if she keeps acting this agro against Volpina..

 

They landed behind a chimney, and peeking over it. Juleka blinked eith surprise as she stared at the man standing on the tower. Was.. what was..

 

”It’s Hawkmoth, in the flesh.!” Ladybug and Volpina murmured in surprise, Juleka blinked. Wait, really? How was I supposed to know that? We’ve never seen him! 

 

“He never shows up! Something big is going on. Really big!” Ladybug said, eyes widened as she bit onto her thumb with worry. However Volpina didn’t seem the littlest bit worried.

 

”We can take him down, but it's gonna take all three of us. We better make the most of our..” Volpina glanced at Juleka and gave a smile “..individual talents”

 

She wants us to split up! Juleka realized, glancing at Ladybug who was still focused on Hawkmoth. Damn it! How do I-

 

You can count on us! Partner!” Juleka grinned uncomfortably, immediately catching Ladybug’s slightly offended expression.

 

”Hold on there, I’m Panthera’s partner!” Marinette sputtered a little jealously, Juleka rose an eyebrow but it was enough for Ladybug to catch all of Ladybug’s attention. “A-And I don’t quite trust you yet either! First the meteorite, now Hawk Moth appearing both on the same day, then you!? Don't you think that's a little bit unusual?”

 

Okay shit, that was again, a little more aggressive than Juleka had hoped. Jesus what was up with Marinette today?

 

”How could you say that?” Volpina said, stepping back a little.

 

Marinette burned with anger “What even is your Miraculous- Volpina?”

 

”It’s my necklace! Are you-“

 

”Relax, Partner” Juleka said softly, pushing herself between them, “We can trust, Volpina. She’s one of us after all!” She said defender as Volpina grinned with pride, staring down at Ladybug with a glowing sense of smugness. But Juleka knew how to lie.

 

Panthera looked at Marinette carefully, a little more forcibly then necessary, but that was the hope, as Ladybug met her eyes.

 

She then made a show to look down at her, obsidian claws for a long period, drawing attention to them, before hanging them at her sides- And slowly began to spell something Volpina hadn’t focused on, but something she made sure Ladybug’s silvery blue eyes fell on.

 

...

 

”..Sign language?”

 

Panthera nodded, signing as she spoke “Yeah, me ma’ has hearing problem so taught me an’ my brother how to sign, along with.. other reasons.” Her smile broke for a moment before returning quickly “Who knows! Maybe it can help during a mission?”

 

”I don’t know..” Marinette bit on her thumb “Seems hard..”

 

Panthera laughed “No worries, how about the basic alphabet?”

 

It could be useful.. Marinette thought

 

“Okay! Teach me!” She grinned

 

...

 

D-I-S-T-R-U-S-T—F-O-X

 

Juleka grinned with success as Ladybug’s eyes blinked with surprise and understanding, as they flicked back up at the cat hero who winked and gave a smile at Volpina again.

 

”So what do we do? Volpina?” She asked sweetly. Volpina grinned a little too widely, and pointed forward at ‘Hawkmoth’s silhouette.

 

”Ladybug, go to his left, Panthera Noire, you take the right and I'll come from behind.” she ordered smoothly, twirling her.. flute? In her hand?

 

Marinette’s eyes knitted together with anger, snapping away from Juleka’s hand “No! I...I take the right, Panthera Noir goes from behind and you..” She scowled a little, looking away “..Take the left.”

 

”Fine. Makes no difference to me!” Volpina laughed, flying away. Juleka’s ear twitched, yanking Marinette’s wrist backwards.

 

”Partner.”

 

”What are you doing, we need to go after her!” Marinette hissed through her teeth.

 

Partner.” Juleka said a little more harshly “Chill, you’re really on edge today. She thinks she’s got us in her little spiderweb, but she doesn’t, just do what she says and I’ll have your back.”

 

Marinette huffed, looking away and Juleka sighed, running a hand through her hair. Someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

 

“What’s wrong, bug?” She asked

 

”It’s..” Marinette paused “..nothing. It’s nothing. Let’s just go.”

 

The red hero swung off and Juleka discreetly followed suit.

 

She was right to do so. As no less than five minutes later, she peeked over the side of a wall to see Volpina, standing over Ladybug’s frightened body with dozens, and she meant it, DOZENS of floating rocket launchers, guns, and explosives pointed at the fox’s command.

 

She couldn’t hear much of what she was saying, so Juleka snuck forward as quickly as possible.

 

”Give the miraculouses over! Or the building is going down!” Volpina snarled

 

”How about you go down on me?” Juleka purred, and kicked right into Volpina’s back, however instead of sending the fox hero falling towards the roof, her heel went straight through a cloud of smoke.

 

A roar of anger echoed across another roof and they tuned around, seeing Volpina behind another chimney top.

 

”Ugh! Do you really have to make those kind of innuendoes?! NOW?! IN THIS FIGHT?!” She shouted. So they were Illusions!

 

”You had no problem hugging up on Adrien, earlier!” Marinette said, wiping out the other rocket illusions, jumping onto the ledge with Juleka. Volpina scowled.

 

”You don’t know anything about me! He was supposed to be- MINE!” Volpina screamed, before running off. Juleka’s ear twitched.

 

”To the mansion?”

 

”To the mansion.” 

 

...

 

Running across the rooftops, Marinette filled her in.

 

”Lila was.. lying?” Juleka echoed, as they landed on a roof top, feeling a little betrayed. “Huh..”

 

”And she was snuggling up on him, and talking about me and and-!” Marinette growled a little forcibly, tugging at her pigtails with irritation, Juleka batted her hands away trying to keep the girl from hurting herself.

 

”Right right, your ticked. But something felt off about.. what Lila said.” Juleka murmured, Marinette rose an eyebrow

 

”What?”

 

”’He was supposed to be mine’, I don’t get that..” Juleka mumbled “Doesn’t sound like a crush..”

 

”So she’s in love with him and jealous?” Marinette huffed, Juleka’s eye twitched.

 

”Okay maybe, but I think you’re the one being jealous here, Partner. Seriously what’s up?” Juleka asked, a little sick of this whole puffy thing. So what Lila was lying, she was nice?

 

”Nothing!” Marinette waved her hands angrily, crossing her arms. “I was just suspicious of Volpina!”

 

”Well it’s clearly something more, because even though Volpina is an akuma, and you were right to be suspicious, what if she wasn’t?” Juleka asked, turning to her “What if she was a fox superhero trying to do good? What would be your reasoning then?”

 

Marinette’s face twisted “I.. was.. I..” She growled “I was jealous okay!? She was lying to be with Adrien and he was right there and, and, she, He, and I.. I love him so I-“

 

”Do you?”

 

The red hero didn’t get to answer as Volpina’s cackle echoed through them, their heads spun around to see Volpina bounding across the rooftops with Adrien in her arms.

 

“She’s headed towards the Eiffel Tower!”

 

”Go!”

 

They rushed after her, Juleka felt a sting of regret inside her chest from yelling at Marinette’s who’s face was still twisted with thought and anger as they made it across the city and started to rush up the Eiffel Tower.

 

However as they leapt onto a close beam, they looked up to see Volpina’s cackling form, hanging Adrien off of the edge with one arm.

 

”Ah ah ah!” Volpina’s voice called out, they looked up as the Italian fox held up the boy by the scruff in one of her hand, dangling over the edge “Hand over your miraculous or Model boy becomes lunch meat on the ground!”

 

”Don’t do it, Ladybug!” Adrien yelled

 

“Adrien!” Marinette shouted with fear, before grimacing “I thought you loved him!”

 

Lila’s eyes narrowed with anger “Love is such a strong word, no, of course not. You don’t just fall in love with someone you barely know like that!” She spat, dangling the model freely “The reason I’m after him is reasons irrelevant to love!”

 

Juleka forced a sly smile “So does that mean you’re available for girls like me then, Vixen?”

 

However to her shock, Volpina only got angrier “NO! NO DAMN IT!” She roared, starting to peel her fingers off of Adrien’s wrist much to his fear “THE JEWELERY FOR THE BOY! GIVE THEM OVER!”

 

Marinette’s face fell and immediately started reaching for her earrings. Juleka’s eyes widened and slapped the red hero’s hand away- grabbing her by the shoulder.

 

”What are you doing?!” She snapped

 

”She said she’s going to drop him!” Marinette cried, looking back upwards. Juleka refused to stare up, knowing her resolve would die in an instant at looking at Adrien’s helpless eyes. Juleka grabbed Marinette, pulling her towards her face by the chin and burning her gaze into hers.

 

”So you’re going to give your earrings over even though he might just be an illusion?!” Juleka asked angrily

 

”What if he’s real though!? And he falls!?” Marinette shot back fearfully, silver blue eyes wide trying to search the cat hero’s face, very desperate for answers.

 

Juleka grimaced, “Then I catch him- And you woman-up, and cure Volpina!” She sucked in a pained breath through teeth, putting a hand on Marinette’s shoulder and leaning closer to her face “Don’t let your heart become a puppet to your emotions unless you know what you want.”

 

Flashes of Princess Fragrance’s grin flickered across her brain and she let out a trembled exhale, looking back at Marinette and letting go. Marinette blinked with surprise, before inhaling and nodding. The two heroes looked up at Volpina.

 

”Bet?” Marinette shouted, her voice gaining it’s strength again “If you really had the hots for Adrien, you wouldn’t!”

 

”Wrong answer.” Volpina said coldly, her thin green eyes narrowing, and proceeded to throw the screaming Adrien off the tower.

 

Juleka nodded to Marinette and let go of the beam and leapt backwards, proceeding to dive after the blonde.

 

Reaching him within seconds, the cold wind bit at her face as she immediately latched onto him, flipping through the air and blindly throwing her arm upwards.

 

She looked up with a grin as the sound of Ladybug’s yo-yo whizzed into her ears and the toy shot around and into her hands, she gave Adrien a smile as they whipped around through the air as Ladybug ran up the beams, before they flipped onto the top of the tower, and she plopped Adrien safety onto the solid ground, his golden locks a fluffy mess.

 

”Holy shit.” He said

 

Juleka cracked her neck to the side, giving a trusting smile to Marinette who leapt onto the Eiffel Tower. 

 

Her eyes were shining again, and they nodded to eachother. Volpina snarled with irritation, bringing her flute to her lips in a smooth twirl and letting out a shrieking whistle through it- and in a flash of light- the tower was covered in clones.

 

Juleka gripped her staff tightly, smashing them into a few running towards her, watching as they exploded into nothing. The original Volpina disappeared in a choir of snickering.

 

However as many illusions she slammed into, more would just come. She spat with pain as every now and again she’d feel a painful whack against her side or head from the real Volpina, but when she swung in that direction, she’d get nothing but orange smoke.

 

She gave a trusting look to Ladybug who smiled “Lucky Charm!”

 

Falling into Ladybug’s hand was this.. red wrapper? Opening it Juleka’s senses were overtaken by the smell of chocolate, and the reflected light from the inside of the wrapper blinding her momentarily.

 

”What do we do with that?” She asked

 

Ladybug thought for a moment before grinning, taking out the chocolate she threw it over to Adrien who stared at it like a literal kid in a candy store and opened the wrapper up, until it’s reflection waved across the multiple Volpina’s.

 

Only one flinched from the light.

 

”Cataclysm!” Juleka slammed her glowing fist against the ground and a trail of decay traveled up the tower, beams of half corroded metal suddenly creaked and then snapped off of the tower’s binding, falling on top of Volpina’s real body in a cage.

 

Volpina snarled with rage, thrashing around in the bars as the smoke cleared, obliterating the rest of the clones. Adrien finished the rest of the chocolate with a happy look.

 

“Trapped like a fox” Ladybug said victoriously, ripping the fox pendant off of Lila’s chest and shattering it against the ground. The corrupted butterfly fluttered out of it “Your days are over Akuma! Time to de-evilize!” She swiped it out of the air “Gotcha!”

 

Opening up her yo-yo, the pale butterfly flew free into the air. Volpina collapsed against the bars tiredly, her clothing rippling away revealing the fallen Lila Rossi.

 

“Miraculous Ladybug!”

 

They were overtaken by the soft flurry of ladybugs, fixing the Eiffel Tower and pulling the bars around Lila way. Adrien stopped recoridng

 

”I’m gonna tell Alya about this!” He informed

 

“‘Kay!” Juleka called back, turning around to Lila who shook her head away. Marinette sucked in a breath and crouched next to her, offering her hand.

 

“Ladybug?” Lila murmured in confusion

 

”I.. Lila.. I totally overreacted and.. never should've spoken to you like that. I'm sorry.” Marinette said softly, Lila blinking in surprise by the genuine apology “If you like Adrien, you should totally go for him!”

 

And like that, Lila’s expression soured again as she looked away “I-Whatever, forget it.”

 

”Huh?”

 

”You were right, Ladybug. We’ll.. never be friends.” Lila spat, scooping the fox pendent up and shoving it into her pocket, looking away,

 

Ladybug and Juleka shared a look and Juleka made her move. If she was a liar.. Juleka skipped forward, offering a hand to Lila to help her down. 

 

“Now vixen, I’d love to see you more often in Paris, so please stick around and enjoy your stay here, regardless of the akumas,” She purred, as she quirked up an eyebrow “I’d love it even more to meet the real Lila, so no more lies now.. okay girl?”

 

The Italian girl just huffed, eyes adverting away, a burning look of shame going across her face as she began to walk away to the emergency exit again.  Juleka rose an eyebrow at this.

 

That’s not the usual reaction.. and while she could just be a homophobic bitch.. No. Some else is up..

 

Without thinking Juleka grabbed onto the back of Lila’s jacket, pulling her back to where they were standing

 

”What the-“

 

”Partner, why don’t you go take Adrien home? I wanna talk to Lila.” Juleka said What are you doing? Her mind screamed.

 

Uh.. Okay.” She replied “I’ll see you later then..?” Ladybug said, before jumping off with the blonde in her arms. Lila turned around to look at her, her eyes narrowing with anger. A long uncomfortable silence filled the space between them.

 

”What?” Lila barked, throwing her arms up “What could you possibly want?”

 

Juleka bristled a bit, unprepared for the burst of anger before smoothly leaning back casually.

 

“Why Adrien?” Juleka asked simply, taking Lila up in her arms and lowering them to the flatter platform beneath them.

 

“Huh?” She sputtered, Lila blinked in confusion.

 

“Why Adrien?” Juleka repeated curiously, as their feet touched down on a flatter area of the tower. Lila just stared at her, trying to read her, calculate her, it was all in her face.

 

“Shouldn’t you be leaving?” Lila asked, raising an eyebrow

 

“I guess” Juleka said, leaning casually on her pole before looking off “I.. wanted to take in the view a bit more, and talk to you.”

 

Lila was silent, staring at her for a moment before looking off.

 

“Oh.” She said,  “Well, I guess it’s pretty.”

 

Juleka heard her ring beep, her eyes narrowed for a moment as she looked at Lila, who was now taking in the sight.

 

I can’t just let it end like this  She realized, before nodding to herself

 

“Stay here, I need to recharge.” She said, the Italian girl looked up confusedly before shrugging

 

“As if I had a choice”

 

Juleka nodded and sauntered off to the side, slipping into a corner below them and detransforming. It was sobering to see how far up they were and how easily she could fall off as Juleka. Without any magic protection.

 

Glancing at Plagg she reached into her back pocket to grab a spare cheese stick she had brought for just in case recharging. She gave herself a moment to breath, clutching her sides as she leaned on the beams.

 

”Kitten, you okay?” Plagg asked, tilting his head to the side. Juleka smiled softly, the cold air wisping through her dark locks.

 

”Tired. But I can’t end it like this.” Juleka whispered “I’ve got a bad feeling if I do.”

 

”Then go with your gut! I know I do for everything!” Plagg grinned, as he swallowed down the piece of cheese. Juleka chuffed

 

”I know, that’s why you’re hungry all the time” She teased “Alright, Plagg- Claws out-“

 

She skipped out back to Lila as Panthera again, as the Italian girl was now leaning to stare at the city. Soft green eyes deep in thought.

 

“Ladybug was being a little.. mean today.” Juleka said, catching her attention again as she leaned on the railing next to her. Tail twisting around. “But I didn’t hear everything that happened, could you tell me?”

 

...

 

”..she ruined my chances.” Lila said, picking at her nails “Adrien’s bound to tell everyone by now that I’m the biggest liar in history.”

 

They had been sitting here for a little while, some people came up to ask if everything was solved and Juleka had professionally waved them off. Like she promised during Vanisher, she wasn’t letting her classmates’ problems go unnoticed, not ever again. Not even the new ones. 

 

”Probably not biggest liar” Juleka replied, leaning on her cheek “But yeah? And why does that matter?”

 

”It just does.” Lila spat “I need them to like me for the short miserable time I’m here. If they don’t, well what else do I have?”

 

”Well if you’re only here for a short time, then why go for dating Adrien?” Juleka asked. Lila blinked and sat down, thinking for a long moment as the cole Paris hair tussled through her brown locks. However with the realization of what her answer was, she seemed to grow angry.

 

“It’s.. cause I have to..  I should.” Lila hissed, pulling her legs closer to herself “I.. Adrien he- he’s everything a girl could want.. he’s basically Prince Charming and he’s- well- he’s rich.” She snorted, before her voice grew grim again “My mama wants me to marry someone influential- to marry someone in general- but I just- I don’t..” she sniffed

 

Juleka watched as the girl broke, shoulders shaking as her hands nervously hovered over her.

 

“I’m fucking.. broken..“ Lila rasped, as if saying it was poison to herself “I couldn’t even like the perfect dude.. I’m- I can’t- I can’t love anyone.. I don’t- I don’t want to. But Mama told me I’m wrong- she told me I need to- so I-I tried..”

 

Lila covered her face “I really really tried.. I tried to like guys.. I tried to like girls.. I don’t like either.. or anything between.. I aimed for the best and still it was nothing, why am I like this?!”

 

Lila glared at the floor, her words bumbling out of her mouth in a sense of connected but incoherentness

 

“I needed him!” Lila cried “I needed to like him! He was my only chance! I thought I could just- He’s supposed to be this hot dreamboat everyone loves, so I thought I could just.. be normal enough for once.. maybe.. maybe Mama would look at me again without having to pretend everything’s fine.. and maybe Papa w-would love me again! Maybe-“

 

Lila stopped herself, her head hung in shame as she sat down. Juleka was silent for a long moment, thinking. Her tail twitched as her mind wracked for words, before blinking. Oh. It’s that.

 

“What do you want in life, Lila? Like, without any restrictions of your mom, of what’s on your shoulders, of what others would think- just tell me?” Juleka asked. Lila took in a deep breath and shallowly smiled

 

“I want.. my papa to love me.. I want.. I want to be rich.. or to be honest, I just want a job I like..“ She chuckled hollowly “I want mama to look at me without having to pretend I’m normal.. I don’t want to be.. broken- I want to not have to worry- about this thing about me and just- just- just not have it defy everything I am, I just-“

 

She took in a deep breath, voice shaking “I just want to be okay.. I don’t- I don’t wanna feel this way anymore.. I don’t want to be with anyone.. but I don’t get to make that choice..”

 

There was a long silence.

 

”Do you feel bad about not liking people romantically or because it makes your mom upset?” Juleka asked, Lila thought for a moment, but couldn’t answer. Juleka sighed, wiping away one of the Italian girl’s tears “Lila, you’re not broken. You never were- do you know the term aromantic?”

 

Lila paused, looking up in confusion and embarrassment from how easy she broke down ”N-No?”

 

Juleka sucked in a breath, nodding. Right right right right rightrighright. She thought, cause she remembered she could do that. She could think.

 

”Okay so, first before I say anything..how do you see? Romance? As an option for you?” She asked carefully “Just as a.. as a recap?”

 

Lila nodded carefully, tugging at her skirt “I- don’t.. see it.. as an option, I’d.. ever willingly take- I don’t- have a connection for it- at all. Or sex. Or- anything.” She cursed under her breath, careful with her words “I- Don’t- want it. Not because I’m stubborn, not because I haven’t.. f-found the right guy yet I just. Don’t. Feel.. connected to that idea.”

 

Juleka nodded, sniffing “Right- so.. Asexuality, and Aromanticism is when people have the lack- or disinterest- in sexual, for Asexual, and-or.. Romantic, for Aromantic, attraction.” She said carefully “Romance or Sex just doesn’t.. do it for them.”

 

“So you’re saying I’m incomplete. Great.” Lila spat, looking away.

 

“No! I- Sex.. or romance.. nah none of that makes us whole. Love definitely does, but love doesn’t have to be defined as those two things.” Juleka murmured, leaning on her elbow.

 

Her ear twitched, searching every bit of wisdom and words that could describe how she felt inside her mind.

 

“Even if it feels like it..” The cat hero said “..like it has to be one way.. all straight, and black and white, you have to know that it isn’t- because once you do, you’ll realize; how could you ever be broken?”

 

“You don’t-“ Lila stopped herself as she stared at Juleka. Probably the realization that ‘you don’t understand’ would be a lie. 

 

There was a long pause as Juleka spoke again, her nails fidgeting with the zippers on her pants as her eyes narrowed.

 

“Lies don’t make you whole either. No that- those- those make you empty.” She said softly, before looking up at her again.

 

”No more lies, Rossi.” Juleka said, her voice gentle but firm as she stood up and looked down at Lila “That class.. they’ll love you. Regardless if you have real connections with celebrities or not. And they’ll still love you if you fess up.” 

 

She pressed a finger against the Italian girl’s chest ”Don’t mess this opportunity you have to make things right up, so just please.” Juleka said, looking at her with an almost pleading expression. “Stop.”

 

Lila found herself frozen as the cat hero stared at her, before laughing light heartedly

 

“Besides- if you just wanted a ticket to fame- hanging around with those kiddos will get you actual connections to those celebrities you like!” Juleka said, looking away “I mean- Adrien’s a pretty chill dude, Marinette is literally on a first name basis with Jagged Stone-“ Though it’s a coin flip if she’s still okay with you after today “-and Rose-“

 

Juleka paused, for a moment, before continuing “-knows Prince Ali and is friends with him. The list goes on. So if you just see the class as pawns or whatever- at least be efficient, Lila? And make a few friends on your way to fame?”

 

Lila was silent.

 

“I feel like people will be made at me if they find out I’m.. I’m.. Aromantic, and Ace.” Lila said, testing the words a little “I know my mom will think worse. She has thought worse. She’s.. she likes the world she lives in, even if it’s not the world the rest of us live in.”

 

“How can you be fucking mad at someone for NOT doing anything? Like how?” Juleka said, leaning back “Like: ‘hey I’m not gonna kiss anyone’ and they’d be like ‘Noo the CHILDREN wILL SeE iT’” Throwing her hands up “L-like what? Why are people like this?”

 

Lila snorted “That’s.. definitely a perspective on it” she softened “I guess.. people don’t like the idea of others breaking the Status quo..”

 

”Wow, priorities much?” Juleka chuckled “Well, Paris sure likes me. And I’m the practically gayest cat in France! So! If the majority of a city can like me, I’m quite sure, that a small class of kids, will like you.”

 

The two stared at eachother for a long moment, and Lila let out a breath. As if she had breathed in for the first time in a long time, wiping away the rest of her tears.

 

”I hardly stay in one place all the time.” She said “Even if I somehow become friends with them.. I can’t guarantee that’ll last.. and it’s gonna hurt, it’s gonna hurt so bad if we have to leave.”

 

”Nothing lasts forever” Juleka murmured, hair falling over her face as she clutched tightly to her ring “But you can look back at the times now and remember this as a good memory. And while you might feel sad it’s over, well, you can feel happy it.. happened.”

 

“You know.. It’s funny, I can’t tell if this whole personality you have as Panthera is you taking off your mask.. or putting on one..” Lila giggled, making Juleka freeze for a moment before Lila waved a hand “but hey, what do I know- I was the faux fox.”

 

Silence filled the space between them as Lila clutched herself. The amusement dry on her voice.

 

“You know-” Lila didn’t face her when Juleka spoke up “-I think you made a good fox today- even if- well- it was a whole trick. You sure fooled me.”

 

A lie. Of course. But as Juleka smiled goofily, she was sure Lila knew, and heard it as a joke. They shared a weak smile and felt back to silence. Lila, unsure how to respond, just chuckled.

 

“Sure”

 

”I’ll take you back to school now, I think I’ve talked your ear long enough” Juleka mused, letting Lila climb onto her back as she stepped backwards “Off we go-“

 

Juleka sprung through the city, Lila clutching her tightly. But while her heart felt at least a little lighter, something else was happening. Far. Far away.

 

...

 

”Nooroo..” Hawkmoth grinned, as he held up the brooch in his hand, the akuma fluttering by his face as he looked sinisterly to his book “I renounce you.. temporarily..”

 

 


 


Notes:

Guess what character is actually staying for Season 2! Hopefully! Look sorry guys I actually like Lila, wanted to take a dive with her character, I’ve done it before, sue me

Anyways if you’re wondering when that whole conversation was taking place, this whole character development shebackle was happening a little before and during the same time Marinette was visiting with Master Fu.

Anywaywaywayways *slaps aro ace onto Lila* fuck canon I like my bastard fox baby. She’s an awful person and I love her. I hope she gets the comeuppance she deserves on the show but here, she’s baby.

Also note: Aromantic and Ace people aren’t awful, they’re good, they’re valid and they exist, don’t take this AroAce Lila thing the wrong way. AroAce aren’t heartless people and if you say so, please respectfully leave.
And if you’re.. a reader who is either Asexual or Aromantic or on the spectrum of either, you are safe here and I hope you are having a nice wonderful day.

Sexuality is wonderfully fluid and, like Juleka said, you aren’t broken. Who you are is beautiful and it’s okay to feel good about yourself.

I took some lines and inspiration from the Netflix show Sex Education, which has taught me more than the American school system ever has. So that’s funny.

Anyways,

Hope you enjoyed. I’m gonna be honest, I was really scared with this chapter, but I knew this is what I wanted to write, so yeah, I Hope to god this wasn’t.. terrible. And if it was. Let me know.

If you can’t see the art here’s a link to a post: https://justanotherpersonsuniverse.tumblr.com/post/629071717058379776/ladybug-and-panthera-noire-in

Anyways.. I wonder what that Gala Rose was talking about was..

ALSO ALSO BIG THANKS TO SPARTENXHUNTERX FOR PREREADING THIS! GO READ THEIR SHIT! THEY ARE SO FUCKING COOL

Chapter 33: The Collector

Summary:

I almost forgot this episode existed, oh well

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Juleka didn’t see when Lila completely told the class about her fibs, she had dropped the Italian student off and hung back a little outside of the class, but she was there when she was welcomed to the class with open arms, for real this time. Which had made the girl cry a little.

 

And as Lila was dragged off by a few of her other classmates, including a beaming Alya who brought the girl into the ‘Have no idea what anyone else is talking about cause we’re all transfers’ group which was originally made up of just her and Adrien, Juleka just smiled in the background. Letting herself blend in around the excitement. 

 

She didn’t have to be the center of attention to know she helped save someone. After all, what were heroes for? She glanced up at Rose who was beaming at Lila and felt a flicker of warmth go through her chest. Her cheeks darkened and she hid under her bangs.

 

However the moment was ruined by Chloe, for a reason they didn’t really expect though.

 

”A-Adrien he-“ She blubbered, holding up her phone shakily “He..!” She couldn’t finish her sentence, falling into dramatic tears as she draped herself across the table. Sabrina plucked the phone out of her hands and both her and Alix gasped next to her.

 

”Adrien’s not coming back to school tomorrow.” Alix said

 

”Oh well, when is he coming back?” Nino asked a little anxiously

 

”NEVER!” Sabrina cried, accidentally throwing the phone into the air- to which Alya caught and began to pass around with varying shocked expressions as Chloe put her face in her hands with worry.

 

Marinette had made it her moment to walk into the room, however stressed about different means. Juleka looked up from the back of the class, 

 

“What’s going on?”

 

Juleka moved herself closer and leaned against the wall next to Rose, who latched onto her arm. They shared a nod to eachother, as Chloe was awkwardly comforted by Alix and Sabrina. Why Alix? Juleka didn’t know. She wasn’t there for Chapter 28 okay? Give her a break she doesn’t see their, love, shithole, thing- I’m getting off topic.

 

”Adrien's never coming back to school! Ever!” Chloe cried, throwing herself over the table again.

 

”His dad grounded him” Kim said, passing back the phone to Alix who held onto it for the weeping blonde, Juleka wondered if this was just her being dramatic or like- her being genuinely this distraught.

 

”For life” Max added

 

”Something about losing this major important book that belongs to his dad.” Nino said, Marinette let out a signph of relief for whatever reason but no one noticed it when Lila pushed her way forward to take Chloe’s phone from Alix’s hand

 

“And it may have been my fault. Shoot.” Lila tsked, thinking for a moment.

 

”Oh yeah, and Lila was lying about all the stuff she was talking about” Alya added, Marinette blinking with surprise.

 

”She.. fessed up?”

 

”Did you know?”

 

Marinette just gave a nervous giggle “Ahah, I just uh, had a feeling..”

 

Juleka rolled her eyes, as Alya just gave the panicked Marinette a silly pat on the head. Lila’s eyebrows knitted together by the window in deep thought.

 

”Why would Mr Agreste have such a weird book about..” She muttered, before her eyes widened with horrified consideration. Juleka blinked, staring at her. What is she muttering about? 

 

“Lila? You okay?” Juleka asked, the class turning heads to Lila who froze at the attention for once. She was silent for a brief second before pulling on a quick smile.

 

”Yeah, I just- feel bad. To be honest. Adrien can’t come to school because of me and all because I thought his book was.. interesting. I thought it was an Art Portfolio.” Lila said quickly, tossing one of her tied locks of hair behind her shoulder before she looked down guiltily “I threw it away in the park though..”

 

Juleka didn’t see the flicker of confusion, relief, and touched look of Marinette’s face as she continued to look at Lila.

 

”I mean, yeah, sure, it really is serious but it's not like he's sick or anything, you know.” Marinette said hopefully, rallying everyone’s attention “Surely we can fix this, right? We won't just stand by and let this happen!”

 

”But Marinette the book-“

 

”Lila!” The class president pointed at the Italian girl her raised her eyebrows at the suddenly burst of energy  “Later! We can return it later together!” She said, hopping towards the door,

 

“Marinette where are you going?” Alya squawked- And with that, Marinette bolted out of the classroom.

 

”Right well that was-“

 

And not seconds later—

 

Alya waved her phone “Akuma alert! It’s- It’s Mr Agreste! Adrien-“

 

...

 

”-is in trouble!” Ladybug shouted over the rooftops as Juleka chased after her on all fours, pouncing from chimney to chimney- “Sorry if you missed school, I can’t believe we’re dealing with another two day akuma!”

 

“My school day already got interrupted by Volpina, once Collector apparently showed his ugly face they just cancelled the rest of the day, no worries Partner” Juleka said, flipping off of a building to the next. “Has Adrien posted anything else about the Akuma?”

 

”Nothing other than ‘Dangerous’” Ladybug replied, as they stopped on a high rooftop, the wind blowing through their hair. The red hero sucked in an uneasy breath, glancing at Juleka and away occasionally. Her tail twitched.

 

”Partner? Something up?”

 

Ladybug made a strained smile “It’s.. it’s nothing!” She said “I just- it’s been a really busy day.”

 

Juleka looked down oh.. “Yeah I-I’m sorry for yelling at you, earlier. At the Eiffel Tower, I know you were freaked out I-“

 

”No no! I- I needed that. Then.” L-Marinette said, rubbing her side. “I’ve just got some stuff to.. think about. And..”

 

”And?”

 

Ladybug stared focusedly at the city scape, as the Eiffel Tower was suddenly sucked from existence “..and depending on how this fight goes, I have no idea what the outcome might be..”

 

”You said you had an idea for who Hawkmoth might be right? Who was it?” Juleka asked, spinning her baton in her hand. Ladybug bit her lip, staring at her- for a moment she looked like she wanted to say something but-

 

“No one, I don’t think it’s Him anymore. Especially with this Akuma.” Marinette said, waving her off. “Let’s head to the Manor.”

 

Juleka nodded, as they bolted forward again.

 

Entering through the same window they did during Simon Says, it looked like a murder scene. Trashed papers, thrown paintings, shattered pots and columns. It was..

 

”I don’t like this.” Juleka mumbled “All this for a book?”

 

Marinette looked around a little nervously, “Apparently so.. I hope Adrien is okay. He wouldn’t capture his own son.. w-would he?”

 

Juleka pursed her lips, taking in a deep breath “If it damaged his brand, I don’t think so.”

 

”You think he doesn’t care for any reason other than that?” Marinette asked, though it wasn’t as accusatory as Juleka thought it would, just a genuine question brought from a soft feeling of.. sadness?

 

Panthera’s tail lashed, “I don’t know. It’s something to consider or think about though, I guess.” She mumbled, crossing her arms.

 

Marinette paused, and for a moment, she reached out towards Juleka’s shoulder- but retracted it back. Juleka was. tired. She was really tired, it’d been a long ass day and she didn’t know what the hell to do.

 

Adrien was a really nice guy and like- god he didn’t deserve to be yanked out of school because of a stupid book. Juleka rubbed her face. She just wanted to go home honestly.

 

There was a moment of silence before Marinette spoke up again.

 

”Could I get a hug? It’s been a stressful day.”

 

Juleka looked up, a little confused I mean if it cheers her up..

 

She carefully strolled to the shorter girl in red and wrapped her arms around her in a hug, before realizing how warm it was. She melted into Marinette’s embrace as the girl softly stroked through her hair. Juleka pulled away, smiling.

 

”You tricked me.”

 

”Maybe, but thanks, Panthera.” Marinette said, the two shared a trusting look- but were interrupted by a deep raspy cackle.

 

The two heroes spun around to see The Collector, His skin was a light sickly purple, and his pointy white striped hair stuck upwards, popping out with his dark black and red glasses with a suit to match. He flipped meticulously through a small black and red book, before looking up at them with a cruel smile.

 

He snapped his book closed and gave them an all too wide smile.

 

Juleka immediately threw her baton forward, aiming to conk him on the head- only to watch in shock and frustration as it was immediately sucked right into the page’s.

 

The Collector grinned, opening the book to face them as their eyes watched the image of her pole appearing across the paper.

 

”A nice piece? Wouldn’t you think?” He asked, flipping through the pages, as if showing off his crimes- until the pages of the Mona Lisa, pots, the literal Eiffel Tower- the pages began to turn into people. Including-

 

“You’ve trapped you’re own son!?” Ladybug shouted, enraged. He paused at that page and rolled a gloved hand over it, an image of Adrien’s shocked pose across the pages. He only chuckled however and looked at them.

 

”I’d rather call it, immortalizing his perfection..” The Collector purred. Juleka’ eyes narrowed, growling with frustration when she realized she didn’t have her staff anymore. A screaming rage inside her chest was boiling and she couldn’t wait to hurt this guy.

 

Collector suddenly threw his book forward, Juleka yanked Marinette to the ground to duck as it spun around the room like some kind of boomerang. Hitting multiple objects, including the door.

 

The two heroes shot out of the door, entering the main entrance room and running around. Her ears swiveled around with each whipping throw she could hear as she jumped over and under the flying book- mixed with the sound of Ladybug’s yo-yo.

 

She spun around, The Collector suddenly in front of her and swung her leg- barely missing as he grabbed onto her leg and began to push back. Panthera looked around, trying to see where the book was- only for The collector to let go as Ladybug came swinging in from above. 

 

Panthera immediately rolled out of the way, darting into the dining room with Ladybug close behind. She could see the book magically flipping through the pages before landing on some empty ones. The Collector deviously grinned at them as he threw it at them.

 

Juleka immediately picked a chair up and chucked it towards him, watching as it bounced back towards him. She smiled, her eyes thinking as the pages flipped rapidly.

 

That pride swelled more as she took the dining table cloth, and yanked it- causing both the fabric and the silverware to go flying- forcing him to collect it all much to his anger and frustration.

 

They bounced out of the room with that distraction, ducking behind the staircase.

 

”The akuma's gotta be in that book!” Ladybug shouted

 

“Definitely!” Juleka hissed. “But how the hell do we beat if touching it will suck us in?”

 

Ladybug thought for a moment before grinning “He’s only got a limited amount of pages. We’ve just gotta fill it until it can’t take anymore!” She said, pulling out her yo-yo “Lucky charm!”

 

Juleka leaned back as a large set of bicycle peddles fell into Ladybug’s hands.

 

”What do I..” Marinette looked around confusedly, growing more frustrated by the second “I have no idea what to do with this!”

 

”You’ll figure it out” Juleka reassured, the two squeaked with surprise as suddenly the entire staircase disappeared, an angry Collector coming out.

 

”Ladybug and Panthera Noire, you shall be the masterpieces in my new book of inspiration!” He growled

 

Juleka and Marinette shot away from eachother as he threw his book towards them. As they bag  to dart around the entrance again, Panthera bounced off of the wall and pounced towards him.

 

Panthera reached for his book, missing, and ducked immediately as he twisted to rest to clap it at her face. He suddenly knee’d her in the stomach, sending her stumbling back as he continued to push the pages towards her.

 

It came inches to her cheek, before jolting to a stop thanks to the wire wrapped around his arm. Panthera grinned, a reeling her leg back and slamming it into his stomach, causing his book to go flying.

 

However staring at it, she wasn’t sure if she was supposed to grab it- Collector made that decision for her, as he sucked it towards his hand and clamped it around the yoyo’s wire.

 

”No!” Ladybug shrieked 

 

The yo-yo disappeared into the book as The Collector stood, opening his book to admire the new scrawl of the yo-yo on his pages.

 

”My collection is growing..” He grinned

 

They shot up to the second floor and began to run again, bursting into Adrien’s room and beginning to pile many things against the door.

 

”This doesn’t matter, he’ll suck these things in too” Juleka commented

 

”All the better, if it makes him loose pages” Marinette grinned- as they hopped backwards- glancing around, the literal cogs in her brain beginning to tick and grind. “I’ve got it!”

 

You can’t escape me!”

 

They skittered away from the door as Collector began to carve his way through, his cackling echoing through the room.

 

”Panthera get me ammo!” Ladybug shouted

 

”On it!” Juleka barked, jumping up onto the higher floor as she watched Ladybug begin to drag the football table across the room towards the edge.

 

“Your belt!” The red hero ordered, Juleka rose an eyebrow and unbuckled it off of her hips- throwing it over to the ladybug girl, who began to make some.. mechanism? Whatever, things worked before, they’d work again. 

 

Juleka looked at the thousands of cds and books and, while she was internally screaming because holy shit that’s so much music- she rose her claws against the bookshelf, sucking in a breath as she heard The Collector break his way through.

 

Cataclysm!” She shouted, swiping her corrupted bubbling claws across the bookshelf, causing a waterfall of CDS to fall and clatter across the floor. Juleka bent down and as her ring beeped insistently, she began to scoop the cds and toss them over the railing, into Ladybug’s device, and then shot out towards the Collector.

 

Juleka couldn’t see what was going on, only hearing the swiping and cackling of The Collector, as she started to run out of CDS, panicking, before she found that she had run out- and The Collector hadn’t stopped laughing.

 

”I’m out!” She said, looking down with horror and seeing the akuma slowly approaching the defenseless Ladybug “Partner!”

 

The Collector cackled, and looming over the girl, he slammed his notebook on Ladybug’s face- only for nothing to happen. He blinked with surprise under his red glasses, opening his book with shock to see-

 

“It’s full?!” He sputtered, flipping through the pages with rage “Shit!”

 

Juleka grinned, jumping off of the railing and slamming him across the face with her heel, catching the book in her hands before tossing to Ladybug before he could yank it out of her claws.

 

”Partner! Do the honors!” She said, as Ladybug grinned and ripped it in half with a grin.

 

”NO!” The Collector shrieked

 

”Miraculous Ladybug!” Ladybug shouted, throwing the Pedals into the air as a wave of ladybugs washed over the room and the city. Juleka checked her back, smiling as she found both her tail and baton back, and Ladybug found her yo-yo back in her hands. Adrien appeared out of thin air and fell on his placed back couch, groaning.

 

Ladybug swung her yo-yo around “No more evildoing for you, little akuma. Time to de-evilize!” she shouted, swiping it out of the air with a grin “Gotcha!” She said, before releasing the purified insect. “Bye bye little butterfly..”

 

The Collector fell to his knees, his body behind covered in dark bubbling energy, before it released off of him- revealing the returned to normal, Gabriel Agreste.

 

“Pound it” The two heroes said, fist bumping. I’m fucking exhausted. Juleka thought, her arms slacking a little as her ring beeped. Ladybug rubbed her shoulder a little

 

”I’ll take it from here, kitty” Ladybug said “You did great today!’

 

Juleka couldn’t help but beam with happiness from the praise and nodded, giving Ladybug’s hand a squeeze before moving out the window- and jumping off.

 

But her job wasn’t.. entirely over yet.

 

Later, Juleka’s tail lashed as she watched the two girls awkwardly walk to the manor.

 

Lila kicked the ground awkwardly next to Marinette. Juleka could see from a roof top, that the two hadn’t made any attempt to talk- but held in Lila’s hands was the large book she presumably stole, and Mr Agreste had gotten akumatized over, as they stood in front of the Manor.

 

She didn’t hear or watch what happened next, but she trusted Marinette to do what needed to be done. So she headed home. Heart light though feet heavy, she was ready for a goddamn nap.

 

...

 

”Here’s your book back Mr Agreste, we-“ Marinette gave her a nudge and Lila pursed her lips for a moment before speaking again “I’m sorry, it was.. a personal mess up on my part, I thought it was an art portfolio and I got a little too curious.” She half-lied, holding out the book a bit reluctantly. 

 

She didn’t want to give it back. Sure, she only skimmed the pages, but she read enough.

 

The fact that Gabriel Agreste, who was a bit of a hermit on her accounts, had whatever the hell this book was with apparently Miraculous information in it, wasn’t ticking right for her. And that spiral of thought and doubt, was enough for her to want to keep it away from the adult in front of her.

 

So that’s why she lied then, in the classroom, and that’s why she lied now, here, in front of Mr Gabriel Agreste himself. Lila didn’t want any of her new friends to be dragged into this potential danger.

 

The man at the door stared down at her with a focused gaze before nodding, a smile gracing his still features.

 

”It is a relief to see that my book is safe and sound. Adrien shall return to school soon, I’m sorry for the misunderstanding.” He said, reaching for it.

 

Lila nodded, but didn’t let go when he grabbed it and tugged. Her eyes narrowing a moment as She stared at him- and He rose an eyebrow when he noticed she hadn’t released her grip.

 

“Is something the matter?” Gabriel asked, his cold calculating eyes skimming over her. Lila was just silent. Staring back at him. No more lies Rossi Panthera Noire’s voice rang inside her head. You made a good fox today.

 

“Nothing sir. Nothing at all. Your book was just very fascinating to read.” Lila smiled primly, releasing it as she gave him a careful look.

 

When a look of passing fury and scheming thought glazed over his eyes she didn’t flinch. It only grew the bubbling feeling in her chest as the feeling of satisfaction began to take over. Like breaking through a glass mirror.

 

”Right. Thank you.” Gabriel grunted, and coldly closed the door, but for a moment, Lila could see the greedy hunger in his eyes as he gazed back at the book again. His truest colors.  

 

”What was that, Lila?” Marinette asked. Lila smiled, putting a finger to her lip as more potential clogs began to turn inside her devilish mind.

 

”Oh nothing..” She mused, before her expression softened “Uhm, thanks, by the way. For helping me return this, you’re a real nice girl, Marinette. A little weird, but nice.” She said bluntly.

 

”Oh, uh, thanks Lila” Marinette said “So uh, what do you think of Adrien? I heard there was a little bit of..”

 

Lila stuck her tongue out “No, there’s nothing between us, never was I just- the reasons why I was going after him was because it was expected for of me.”

 

She sighed, scratching the back of her head “But a little kitty told me I shouldn’t have to lie about who I am, no ones done that for me before so- I’m not going to do that anymore.” She smiled before glancing at Marinette. “Romance just, isn’t for me. But what about you? What do you think of him?”

 

”Uh..” Marinette was silent for a moment before waving a hand “I’m not sure, I.. yeah I’m not sure.”

 

There was a long moment of drawn out silence between them, Lila wasn’t sure why it felt so awkward, but it was fine. Today was goddamn changing.

 

”Do you, want to go get some pastries? My mom and dad’s bakery sells the best in Paris?” Marinette suggested, beginning to walk away from the mansion doors “I’m a bit biased though”

 

Lila paused, glancing suspiciously at the manor. Her eyes trained on the cameras before turning back to Marinette-

 

“Sure” She said, walking after her “Gosh, there were some good bakeries back home in Italy-“

 

”My papa is actually italian!”

 

”Really! Do you know anything?”

 

”Barely!”

 

The two girls ran down the sidewalk, chatting freely, but Lila, not for a moment, let the single thought inside her brain leave her, not even as she waltzed home later, stomach full, and heart stronger than ever with the affirmation that she wasn’t broken- the thought that said one single phrase:

 

Gabriel Agreste is not to be trusted. 

 

Lila turned off her phone as she texted her new classmate’s goodnight- as she continued to write, looking up at the gleaming Paris Sky. It didn’t matter to her that Gabriel Agreste had been akumatized today, in fact, she only saw that as more suspicious.

 

It’s unknown if Hawkmoth can akumatize himself.. but because we don’t know what he can or cannot do, that gives us the opportunity to say he could. She thought The moment there was the chance I, Marinette, or Adrien- could’ve figured out his identity through that book.. he got akumatized..

 

Sure, she could trust the idea that Gabriel was really just having a temper tantrum over losing it, and that was it, but Lila only smiled at that thought.

 

Because Lila knew distrust, and Lila knew lies. And Lila knew- that she was going to get to the bottom of this. 

 

 

Notes:

I almost forgot that Collector happened
There was some weird ass timeline stuff about this. But whatever.

Welcome to season 2!

We MADE IT! I never imagined I’d actually get this far with this fic, and it’s thanks to all of your guys’s support on both tumblr and here.
You’ve really helped me grow artistically and in terms of writing. Y’all the best.

With Season 2, we’re getting some new heroes of course. But a thing I will say- is that Carapace and Queen Bee are getting some power buff/changes. That is, Carapace is getting buffer and I’m probably gonna throw out a lot of what canon Pollen’s powers are and change it because- look I love Venom but it’s so OP and I don’t think it helps Chloe in terms of redemption qualities. So I guess we’ll see what I do there.

Next chapter: it’s time to go to the gala/prom!

Chapter 34: Princess Prom (1)

Summary:

You didn’t read that title wrong.
Yes this is a part one.

And yes the title is a She-Ra reference.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

“..and so this Gala is coming up like tonight and like- it’s basically prom- god this was so last minute honestly I was just planning to invite Sabrina, maybe bump into Adrien cause he’s there for appearances.. or Alix.. but then I was like invite them all for no reason so god I don’t know what to do this was so stupid! I was thinking just cancel it all on them but like- what do you think?”

 

Juleka just blinked, staring up at from her manga as Chloe stopped pacing in front of her.

 

”..What?”

 

”Focus Panthera! You came here- I need help!” Chloe barked, closing the book in the goth’s hands and throwing it behind her shoulder, much to the cat girl’s displeasure.

 

”Sorry- what are you asking me of though?” She asked, tilting her head a little. 

 

”Ughh!” Chloe groaned “Just help!”

 

”Okay!” Juleka threw her hands up, before leaning back and thinking. Tail lashing. She wasn’t sure why she came to swing by Chloe’s hotel room, but her Rich Kid senses seemed about right as she walked in on Chloe’s miniature crises.

 

One part of me didn’t want to go because of the idea of ditching Rose in case of an akuma attack sounds awful.. She thought, rubbing her chin ..but because we’re all invited anyways.. the idea of ditching her to sulk at home is worse.. and.. Chloe inviting us all was unexpected and nice anyways so.. 

 

“Do you want u- your classmates to go to the gala with you?” Juleka asked carefully

 

”I mean.. I invited them.. so.. yeah?” Chloe said sheepishly, scratching the back of her neck

 

”Then they’re coming, you’re fine.” Juleka waved a hand, “You’ll be fine, Queenie.”

 

”I- Don’t call me that!” Chloe huffed

 

”Why? You don’t want to fall for me or something?” Juleka drawled playfully, the blonde just puffed her cheeks out and stomped towards the closet.

 

Juleka rolled her eyes and headed out towards the terrace, yeah yeah you’re welcome- before hearing the faint sound of rustling again.

 

”Wait-“

 

Juleka tilted her head back, seeing Chloe peeking out of the closet again, looking a little embarrassed.

 

”Mrrp?”

 

“What if I hurt their feelings? I literally don’t know what to do after that” Chloe asked, looking away. Juleka pursed her lips, leaning on the wall as she clicked her tongue, trying to think. I mean, this is some fucking character development.

 

“Then backtrack maybe? That class makes it pretty clear when their feelings are hurt.. so just apologize when they are, and tell them what you meant” Juleka tried, fidgeting with the ends of her jacket, wanting to honestly hide under the hoodie. 

 

“What I meant?” Chloe rose an eyebrow

 

“‘Sorry I was just meaning to be funny’, ‘sorry I was kidding’, ‘sorry I just thought’- stuff like that” Juleka suggested, looking back up at the girl. Chloe’s nose wrinkled.

 

“That sounds dumb”

 

The cat hero chuckled “It is, but it’s also straight forward. You don’t have to be nice, b-but you also don’t have to be an asshole.” She added, she wasn’t sure Nice was on Chloe Bourgeois’s vocabulary. Even after Vanisher or Antibug. Though Chloe had become strangely more.. tolerable. Juleka blamed this strange new series of visits she was now taking.

 

“Easier said than done!” Chloe whined

 

“Obviously!” Juleka snickered “Just try? Trying is better than nothing.”

 

Chloe paused, before scoffing “Ugh fine- I don’t get why you’re the one giving me advice on talking to people, all you do is- damn- why are you even talking to me now? Wouldn’t you rather be flirting up some girls on the sidewalk?”

 

That actually sent a short spike through her chest. Juleka felt her shoulders fall a little as she let that since through her. Am I.. Her eyes fell. God I’m just a nasty pervy little.. I’m being so unfaithful to- fuck stop, we’re not even dating yet. Yet? As if we have a chance- Panthera has a chance, unlike Juleka.

 

She quickly shook her head, flashing a smile back to Chloe and slicking her hair back. A habit she had been doing more often in an attempt to make Juleka disappear and let Panthera shine through.

 

“And wouldn’t you rather have friends?” Panthera shot back, raising an eyebrow. “Why wouldn’t you want them to be there?”

 

Chloe opened her mouth to speak but let that settle, a little appalled before clicking her tongue “..you were nicer when you were a flirt.” She said.

 

Juleka smirked, moving out of the room again “I choose my battles- now I’ve got to go. Good luck, Chloe”

 

Chloe waved her off and Juleka bounced off the Hotel terrace, shooting her way through Paris again.

 

...

 

Back in her room Chloe let out a shallow sigh, opening up her cabinet and finding the small piece of pink paper she had made sure Panthera couldn’t even dare to rifle through and find. She ran her hands over the small text she had stressed over for the past few days, past few weeks- ever since the day after Antibug.

 

”Because it would only be the two of us if no one came..” Chloe mumbled, shutting the cabinet again and beginning to get dressed.

 

...

 

A soft beeping rang through her side as she slowed to a stop on top of a radio tower- she slung around upside down a little boredly, and lifted the baton up to her face before grinning when she saw the caller ID and opening it- giving herself to cough a little and act more ‘herself’

 

”Hey Rose, what’s up” She spoke, twirling a finger through her hair.

 

Hey Jules!” Rose’s peppy voice danced through her ears “Are you dressed?

 

Juleka panicked a little, swinging around on the post and beginning to drop down from the tower and scramble back to the boat. “Aha, n-not yet!” She said “I’m getting ready though..”

 

I’m sure you look beautiful!” Rose said, causing Juleka’s cheeks to bloom a bright pink under the mask “Mama can give us a ride to the hotel. I’ll see you in like, three hours?

 

Juleka detransformed in the dark corner of the alleyway, adjusting her grip on her phone as she made her way to the docks and up onto the boat.

 

”Yeah, see you then.” Juleka smiled, before hanging up. Why would I be dressed right now if she’s coming in three hours? She wondered.

 

...

 

Rose slapped her hands over her beet red face. Why would I ask if she was dressed if we’re coming in three hours?!

 

...

 

Oh well. Juleka thought, slipping into the boat.

 

”Ma’ I’m home.” She said, hanging her bag up onto the nearest chair as she made her way to her room in a quick shuffle.

 

”Oh hey, lass.” Anarka looked up from her book on the couch, petting her free hand through the soft fur of The Small Black kitten they’d taken to just calling Minou, who had recently made his home on the boat “Are you still goin’ to that party thingy-ma-jig tonite?”

 

Juleka nodded and Anarka nodded, giving her a cheeky smile.

 

”You have a date?” She asked, and Juleka immediately threw a hairbrush at her and stomped the rest of the way to her room as Anarka’s boisterous laugh echoed through the house boat. But here on the Couffaine boat, if Juleka escaped from Anarka that was only walking into an equally cheeky Luka. And an even worse Plagg

 

”Well, does she?” Luka asked the floating cat god.

 

”Yeaaaah, except ‘platonic’” Plagg giggled, waving his paws “Maybe if she squanders up the courage, it’ll be a real date!”

 

Juleka hid behind her hair, groaning as she plopped onto her chair, trying not to look at the two. Luka looked up however and parted the hair from her face with a soft smile.

 

”Hey come on Jules, we’re just teasing” He said, lifting her head up to look at herself in the mirror again “You’ll be okay, just have fun.”

 

Juleka smiled and nodded, twisting the ring on her finger “Yeah, okay.”

 

”You both are disgustingly cheesy.” Plagg stuck his tongue out

 

”Plagg not liking something related to cheese? That’s a shocke.” Luka said, the kwami blowing a raspberry.

 

”Oh shut it! Your entire personality revolves around a guitar!” The cat god hissed

 

Luka gasped offendedly, as Juleka laughed- and around three hours later, Juleka blinked her eyes open as she stared at her reflection. Only a little bit of foundation, some dark purple lipstick, and dark purple eyeshadow with glitter. 

 

”Here-“ She looked up to Luka handing her a dark purple mask. “The invite said it was a masquerade?”

 

Juleka nodded, fitting it over her eyes- only for her bangs to cover the side of her face again. Her shoulders fell a little. It wasn’t like the mask she wore as Panthera, which felt glued to her face to stretch with her eyes, and it certainly didn’t give her the surge of confidence and strength it did either.

 

In fact, it made her feel even more invisible. At least the makeup was still slightly noticeable, so it didn’t feel like that went to waste. She blinked, feeling Luka comb through her locks softly, making her hum in comfort.

 

Plagg meanwhile was swirling around her as she slipped some fancier gloves over her hands, specifically her ring “I think you should put some more Panthera into your outfit, maybe that’ll make her like you.”

 

Juleka flushed “N-No.! I- I mean- maybe I- but-“ She took in a deep breath, fidgeting with her hair and smoothing down her dark wine colored dress. “-I want her to like Juleka.”

 

”You’re the same person!” Plagg whined 

 

“Not really! Panthera is confident, and s-suave.. I’m just.. just..” Juleka started- Luka finished pinning her slightly curled hair into a half up half down with a smile.

 

“Hey now," He said. "She can do it however she wants. Even if you don’t confess tonight you’ll have another chance, later”

 

Juleka nodded. “R-Right.”

 

A beeping from her phone interrupted them and she picked it up.

 

Jules! We’re here!” Rose squeaked into her ear

 

”Okay!” She answered, closing her phone and looking up at Luka “Gotta go.”

 

”Go have fun!” Luka smiled, squeezing her gloved hands “Text me if you need a ride home.”

 

”I know...” Juleka said, grabbing a purse. “Come on Plagg”

 

”Time for a cat nap” Plagg yawned, flying into it. Juleka smiled and placed a pack of string cheese next to him before closing it. Exiting out of her room, she smiled as Minou purred up against her leg and skittered into her room and she looked up at her mom who was busy in the kitchen.

 

”See you, kiddo. There’ll be dinner when you come ‘ome” Anarka said, waving her off as she left the houseboat in a hurry.

 

Juleka’s breath left her body when she saw Rose waiting outside of her mom’s car. Twirling in the dark setting sky in a soft pink frilly dress with light flower print going across the fabric. Glowing blonde hair curling around her perfect face in the cutest way- it made Juleka’s heart skip.

 

”You uh..” Juleka started weakly, before coughing into her fist “Y-You’re really, pretty.”

 

Rose’s face was mostly covered by a light pink mask, but her deep red blush still burned brightly. “T-Thank you! Juleka!”

 

Juleka nodded a little awkwardly, twirling her bangs around her finger “L-Let’s go then?”

 

”Yes! Yes let’s- climb in-“

 

The drive to the Grand Paris was a loud one, full of chatter and giggling. Rose’s Mom gave them both a quick hug goodbye before driving off as they finally arrived at the entrance.

 

It really looked like they were stepping into a palace, as important looking men and woman with no doubt gold literally pouring from their pockets shuffled by them. Secured in various different masks and glittering things that didn’t hide their identities, but obscured them in a way that made them feel safe to go out.

 

”Do you think they have wine?” Juleka cheekily asked, getting a playful smack on her shoulder from Rose that caused her to laugh.

 

”We’re not drinking at this party!” Rose squawked

 

”What? We’re sixteen, there’s adults” Juleka smirked “We’re responsible”

 

Rose just puffed her cheeks out and shook her head, and Juleka nodded. She could never argue with that face.

 

”You’re cute when you’re angry” Juleka commented, looking off to see if she could spot anyone they could recognize while Rose had a blushing stroke next to her.

 

”Excuse me, but are you going to stand here all night and clog up the entrance?”

 

Juleka squeaked, shooting behind Rose and grasping her hand for stabilization as a Chauffeur approached them. His indifferent but suspicious look glazed over them.

 

”Do you have any tickets?”

 

Tickets? Were we supposed to bring tickets? Fuck! Juleka wanted to crawl into hole and die, she didn’t know what to say. Fake it? Run?

 

”Oh calm down, they’re.. with me.” A familiar voice huffed. Chloe shoved herself in front of them and began to drag them by the arms inside the hotel.

 

The hotel was decorated in beautiful drapes, though the hotel looked lavish, it almost looked out of this time period now. Though the crowds.. were getting a little suffocating.

 

”Yes yes, you can thank me later. Isn’t that great character development of me” Chloe said haughtily, Juleka blinked back to the three of them.

 

”Thank you Chloe!” Rose beamed “That was really nice of you, we panicked a little there!”

 

”Yeah.. Thanks Chloe” Juleka mumbled, shining a soft smile at the heiress. She was wearing a glamorous pale white dress with golden accents and glitter. It was quite plainer than she thought it would be. But it was a nice change of pace. Juleka honestly thought she’d show up in some wedding gown.

 

A smooth mask that had a few feathers coming out of the ends was set across her face and her soft blonde hair was settled in a half up half down hair style like her, not straightened to show of the strangely natural waves she had, and let her bangs from behind her ears out to curl around her face. She looked good.

 

”Sure.” Chloe blowing some of her hair out of her face “I’ve probably gotta save some other people.. hang around I guess?”

 

”Mhm! Gotcha!” Rose said, curling some hair behind her ear “Thanks Chloe!”

 

Juleka wasn’t sure if she was supposed to feel bad when Chloe just glowed at the praise, and scurried off. The two smiled at eachother as the soft drawl of music carried them to a soft whispering and giggling chatter. Though Juleka couldn’t pay attention to everything of what they said.

 

Rose was beautiful. Even when she got frustrated and would puff out her cheeks like a little bushy chipmunk. Even when she hummed a little too loudly and tapped on the desk like a drum kit. Even when she was a tad bit dramatic and maybe a little wild in some ways. Even when she was warped and turned into a Perfume Tyrannical Monster.

 

Juleka couldn’t help but smile, looking at the rambling girl in front of her. For every flaw she saw in Rose, she also saw beauty, and kindness, and a sparkling flame that brought her always sinking heart to a warmth that she never could willingly replace.

 

“Oh look! Most of everyone is here!” Rose said, taking Juleka by the hand, intertwining their fingers, before pulling her over to the group of familiar masked faces.

 

Nino, Alya, and Marinette were talking to eachother. Marinette was dressed in a modest pink dress. Her hair softly curled and hanging in their usual pig tails with flower ties, and a pale white mask. Alya had this Lady Wifi look going on with a smooth black dress with white boots and gloves- with two small sequins going under her eye on her domino mask.

 

Nino had a light blue domino mask with red lines going over the eye holes reminding her of The Bubbler. His bright red tie was left hanging around his collar, and dark brown blazer that had hadn’t buttoned over his light teal, untucked dress shirt. But as always, his headphones and hat stayed glued to his person.

 

A little to the right, she could see Sabrina talking with Ivan and Mylene. Sabrina wore a turquoise dress, hair slightly curled with star barrettes in her hair, a white mask, and dark black leggings. Ivan just wore a gentlemanly brown suit with a nice bow tie Mylene, who was wearing a soft purple and pink dress, was helping fix up.

 

Alix was busy chatting with Chloe, dressed a lot fancier than Juleka thought she would. A dark black and green tux with a coattail that hung over a short red skirt- ripped black leggings, her usual shoes- and most surprisingly, her fluffy hair was slightly slicked back, and her ears were decorated in multiple golden earrings.

 

She at least looked happy, Juleka never thought she’d ever see that girl in a skirt. Her mask was dark green with small red and yellow markings that reminded Juleka of Timebreaker.

 

A little close by, still pushing through the crowds- Nathaniel already looked like the life had been sucked out of him, Max right next to him, as they both stared tiredly at-

 

..what.

 

”Kim.. what the fuck are you wearing?” Nathaniel choked, trying to not stare for too long, looking tempted to cover his face with her dark purple blazer- the class had just seen the jock and started to snicker uncontrollable, taking pictures while Kim only posed with pride.

 

Kim gave a dramatic twirl to the long red wine dress her was wearing, winking under her red, black and white mask with a far too smug smile “Something fabulous!”

 

Juleka clicked her tongue, making eye contact with an equally baffled but adorably giggling Rose before she took her own picture of the athlete.

 

”He works that dress better than most of us.” Another voice pepped up through the crowd- pushing their way to the group was a snickering Lila and Adrien- who was keeping his head down.

 

They both looked like supermodels, which technically made for sense with one of them. Lila wore a glamorous blood orange dress that hugged her figure comfortably, and a flamboyant blue and gold, peacock feather boa fluffing around her shoulders. A Volpina like mask stretching across her face- and her lips curled in a smile.

 

”Sorry we’re late.” Adrien said, adjusting his smooth light suit. Agreste brand of course. Ironed to perfection, including the butterfly buttons on his cuffs and collar. A light green dress shirt underneath, but a striking red mask over his face- his hair a little messy “Lila couldn’t come originally, cause her mom said she had to bring a date, and father wanted me to stay home.”

 

”So we helped eachother sneak out, in our own ways.” Lila said, tossing one of her tied strands of hair over her shoulder.

 

”Can you still explain to me why you know how to pick lock?” Adrien asked a little concernedly

 

”Who doesn’t?” Alya asked, “Everyone who can pick locks, raise your hands”

 

Juleka chuckled as pretty much all of them did, including herself, the few who didn’t were Rose, Mylene, Marinette, and Ivan- who had muttered about him having big hands. Alya scoffed and yanked Marinette’s arm up

 

“Girl don’t lie.” The blogger said, making Marinette blush.

 

“Ah, I guess I have things to learn” Adrien laughed

 

”I learned because of skyrim dude, don’t worry.” Kim said with a shrug “Thought it was really cool.”

 

”Same here, except Assassin’s Creed.” Nino said

 

”Okay okay- focus people” Chloe said, clapping loudly for the large class. “Pretty much the entire hotel is open, but the party is mainly here in the foyer, and in the dining halls.”

 

”What about Hotel Guests?” Kim asked

 

”We pretty much cleared the hotel besides Party Guests.” Chloe shrugged “There’s food, there’s music, there’s drinks.. So-“

 

”HIDE ‘N SEEK IN THE HALLS! ALIX YOU’RE IT!” Kim shouted, smacking Alix in the shoulder and running off into the crowd. The class cringed as they heard a loud slip, yelp, and crash, before Kim went off giggling again. Max sighed, and hobbled after him with Nino.

 

”I guess I’m it?” Alix said, giving Chloe a salute before skipping off. Chloe reached out towards her but it was in vain and sighed.

 

”Enjoy the party..” Chloe said, waving the rest of the class off, and waltzing off on her own with Sabrina.

 

Juleka let out a sigh, tucking some hair behind her ear as she turned to Rose who gave her a smile.

 

”So.. I guess we’re just hanging out.” She said softly

 

”Yeah! For however many hours we’re here!” Rose smiled, taking her by the hand “We can do anything we want tonight! It’s like that one royal ball from Cinderella! Or- No no! Enchanted! You remember Enchanted right? With Giselle?”

 

Juleka blushed, the glimmering gold lights casting an angelic glow to the blonde girl, her heart thumping rhythmically as their intertwined hands held tightly to one another.

 

She gave Rose a playful spin much to her giggling and joy as they danced across the decorated foyer. Many different glamorous and fancily dressed people moving around them, as the chandelier above them glimmered.

 

”You’re right about that. I liked that movie, it was funny.” Juleka smiled, as they skipped their way to the other side of the room near a pillar. “It’s very crowded.” She commented. Rose’ face fell a little with worry.

 

”Is this too much?” Rose asked, whispering “Do you wanna go?”

 

”No no!” Juleka quickly rebuked, hiding behind her bangs. Great job idiot she thought, before smiling “It’s just a different change of pace. Very festive.”

 

Rose sighed with relief, nodding.

 

The silence filling them was.. Juleka’s eyebrow twitched, fumbling with her fingers- ..it wasn’t pleasing. She didn’t know what to say next that could save their conversation.

 

”Do you-“

 

”I-“

 

”No you go first-“ Rose said politely, Juleka laughed weakly

 

”I’m glad I came, here, with you.” She smiled, Rose nodded

 

”I am too, Juleka. It’s fun being with you.” Rose said, making Juleka blush

 

”Uhm- you want me to go get drinks? Like- see if they have any.. punch?” Juleka asked a little shyly. Rose giggled, twirling her hair around her finger.

 

”I’d like that!” Rose smiled. Juleka nodded, and slowly slipped away through the crowds with a gentle wave.

 

Pushing her way through the thick crowds of expensive fabrics and suits- Juleka felt herself pull in closer and closer to her sides. She was so used to being tall, she felt drowned in the cloth from the looming adults and patrons at the party. She felt small. She felt.. invisible.

 

Panthera Noire wouldn’t be shoved around like this yknow.. a voice in her mind hissed. Juleka shoved it down quickly as she shoved through the crowd, not realizing- the pair of eyes on her.

 

Making her way to the bar area, finding it less crowded. There were cup holders at the side that she quickly grabbed on, finding herself in a line to a collection of differently tagged water coolers; and judging by the few students she saw in line, and the fact that the only cups of wine she had been able to see so far were ones carried by different traveling waiters actively passing them out, this hopefully wouldn’t be a waste of time.

 

Stepping up to the lemonade cooler, she pressed the nozzle and did her best to fill enough in both cups- before she could move on however a voice almost caused her to drop them both.

 

”You go to Dupont, don’t you?”

 

Juleka fumbled with the drink, nearly spilling it- muttering an apology to.. the cup.. (shut up she was flustered) she spun around to meet face to face with a young man. Looking around her age. He had dark curly brown hair, that was smoothly slicked back into his short ribbon tied pony tail.

 

His glimmering white and gold suit, with rose stuffed in one of his pockets, made him look like a prince straight from one of Rose’s favorite Disney movies- and his voice was silky yet strong.

 

Juleka could tell he was handsome despite his mask covering around half of his face, but the fawning looks coming from the surrounding teens she swore were eyeing them from within the crowds she could not relate to.

 

She stepped back a little nervously and he eyed her glasses of juice- beginning to take his own drink. Strawberry lemonade, just like hers.

 

”Well?” He asked, his back straightening.

 

”U-Uhm.. yeah.. ‘m Juleka Couffaine? From Ms Bustier’s Homeroom?” She said weakly, looking him up and down. “I'm, I'm sorry but uh... W-Who are you?”

 

He flicked his hair to the side a little, slicking it back again “Adam Charmant. I’m the Prince of the theatre club? Ring any bells?” He asked a little pompously

 

”U-Uh, yeah,” Juleka sputtered, trying to hurry away a little. “Uh r-right, well, sorry for getting in your way- I hope you have a nice night—“ she tried, only to for her shoulder to be pulled back a little. Juleka panicked, almost instinctually throwing the cups at his face, barely stopping when she felt it spill over part of her gloves.

 

”Ah right, you’re in Lila’s class. She mentioned you offhandedly when I was trying to recruit her..” He said, “You’re the one who’s friends with Rose.. aren’t you?”

 

”Uh.. Y-Yes...” Juleka said slowly. “I- I am.”

 

Adam stepped forward, looking her up and down “Me and Rose met once before, at a summer camp, though I doubt she remembers me, I remember her, and how I still feel towards her.”

 

”A-Ah, is that so? Well good to know!” Juleka said, eyes darting back at where Rose was standing before, panicking when seeing she had moved only to relax when she saw her simply talking to Marinette and Alya a little closer to the dance floor. Her salvation, she began to walk past him. “Well I’ve got to get going-“

 

”Do you think you can make Rose happy?” 

 

She paused.

 

What?

 

She turned around, looking at him.

 

”I'm, I'm sorry?” Juleka sputtered.

 

Adam tilted his head upwards, somehow looking down on her despite their barely different height. It didn’t help that Juleka was weakly hunched in on herself in an effort to disappear. And his eyes, they were, they were terrifyingly intense.

 

I may be a panther with Plagg’s power... but compared to this guy? I’m just a deer.. and he’s.. Juleka stumbled backwards a little, hiding behind her dark hair ..this guy.. is a... is a...

 

“You reek the smell of indifference and cowardice. You're close to her cause you want her to like you- but you're too much of a coward to take the chance, how awful she must feel!” Adam said, as if reading some fantastical script. He took the second cup in Juleka’s hand and started to walk past her, the shove making her stumble. “This fairy tale between me and Rose.. has no space.. for a girl like you.. has no space, for anyone, like you. When she needs, a guy like me.”

 

Juleka was left staggering in place at this.. this.. performance.. of- of domination and infatuation.. Juleka spun around but he was gone, leaving her and her single glass of lemonade. Immediately she began to search for Rose but.. but..

 

She couldn’t will herself to step forward, her legs were shaking and her throat felt like it had literally closed in on itself, causing her to choke on her shaking breath.

 

Her eyes searched before she they fell on Rose, a choir of voices started to weigh down onto her shoulders, as her masked face stretched more and more into despair- zeroing in more on the sight. There was only her, and the two people across the room. 

 

Adam had began chatting with Rose, offering her one of the drinks. She seemed to be asking something as she finished it and passed the empty cup to one of the waiters- but he refuted it, causing her to giggle something instead. He took one of his hands, lifting her knuckles up- and kissing it.

 

Juleka’s stomach dropped, and- god she was jealous. She was so so jealous. Disgustingly jealous. Envious, to a degree that made her heart twist in it’s selfish might.

 

“You reek the smell of indifference and cowardice. Your her best friend, so get used to the sight of me...You're close to her cause you want her to like you- but you're too much of a coward to take the chance, how awful she must feel!... This fairy tale between me and Rose.. has no space.. for a girl like you.. has no space, for anyone, like you. When she needs, a guy like me.”

 

A loud, inhuman, and corrupted cackle echoed across the room but- Juleka couldn’t pay attention. 

 

“I admire girls. Thank Panthera Noire for that.” Rose said so long ago during Lady WiFi. Juleka jumped so eagerly on that knowledge.

 

“AKUMA!”

 

People were rushing by her now, as the once golden rays of light showering the room- suddenly were cut off- before being replaced by blaring hot pink rave lights, as the hotel was swallowed by deep shades of blue.

 

“I think you should put some more Panthera into your outfit, maybe that’ll make her like you.” Plagg’s voice snickered through her mind as her shaking hands dropped the drink, causing it to shatter across the ground. 

 

Maybe Rose saw her leave, maybe she didn’t- maybe Rose watched Juleka turn away as adults were blasted with dark magic, turning into streamers, maybe she didn’t. Maybe Rose watched Juleka slip into the bathrooms, numb, cold, but not crying- maybe she didn’t.

 

Maybe Rose could see her.

 

Juleka wouldn’t know though, because by the time Rose turned away from Adam, who had pulled her away the best he could to safety, as the cackling akuma locked the doors, and announced that Her Prom has truly begun— she was gone.

 

Click.

 

Locking the door to the bathroom, Juleka could hear new music blaring through the halls. The once golden halls of the Grande Paris were now plunged into a deep darkness, only illuminated by the heavy dark pink lights that had replaced them.

 

Strawberry lemonade dripped from her torn off gloves as her ring shined in the darkness of the bathroom. Memories of Picture Day trickled at the back of her mind but it was different now, because being in this dark suffocating room was her choice now. It clawed through her chest, tearing her open and raw.

 

Her Sunbeam was gone, and all she had was darkness.

 

Staring into the mirror, Juleka felt.. numb. Like she was drowning. But the burning feeling in her heart had not died yet no- perhaps she was indeed obsessed, that wouldn’t be off brand of her, she was never a perfect person and she never would be. She was horrible. 

 

Juleka gripped tightly against the sink, her eyes puffy from the stinging tears in her eyes, and her claws embedding deep into the sink’s solid porcelain. She had to. No. Yes. If she had to. She could tap into that side of herself. That- more desirable half. That part, that wasn't her. She could.

 

”Well lazy cat? You gonna transform? The akuma is still out there! Or have you taken my advice finally and we can take the day off?” Plagg said, chewing a bit on his cheese, only to stop when Juleka turned to him, breathing in a heavy raspy breath. She looked wild and for a moment the dry look on his face dropped to concern. “Juleka?”

 

”Plagg-“ Juleka started, before her tired eyes narrowed with thought. She came to her decision. Well Princey boy.. if you think I don’t belong in your fairy tale.. “I want you to go all out.”

 

The cat rose an eyebrow.

 

”Huh?”

 

Juleka gripped her ring tightly as a grim smile started to part across her face. I’ll just have to outdo you! In the way I know best! In the only way, that I can..! The only way my existence has been lead to...

 

“I want you to go all out, change my costume. It’s a Masquerade ball after all isn’t it? And the akuma wants a party. So why don’t we have a little fun?” She purred dangerously, tapping her claws against the sink methodically.

 

Plagg stared at her for a moment before a long toothy grin split across his tiny face.

 

”Ohohohohoho... I’ve been waiting for this..!” Plagg squealed, flying around her “H-How far do you wanna go? Do you wanna go super super goth? More punk? Dominatrix? I will make it so every girl in the entire city is thriving over you! No- WORLD!” He screamed.

 

Plagg flew in circles around her, babbling..

 

“No no wait this is a bit of a disguise so a little discrete. Yeaaaah- sexy and discrete. Like a- ohoh I got some ideas! I’ve been watching that show about the buff blonde sword girl on Netflix? I can work with that!”

 

”Plagg focus.

 

”Right right- This is gonna be good! You have no idea how long I’ve been waiting to style you all up, what you have normally is just the bare minimum I put myself to since you’re all dainty and shy inside but- ohohoh fuck YES! This is gonna be fantastic!” Plagg cackled.

 

Juleka couldn’t hear the cat god rambling anymore, as she stared darkly into the reflection. Her hands still shaking as she felt her heart pound in her ears.

 

This isn’t a normal crush.. I think I’ve always known that.. I’m sorry Rose, that I’ve been cowardly with my feelings.. these delicate playful flirts, they are only a taste of how I feel about you.  But now.. feeling this.. this.. jealousy..

 

Juleka bit her lip, fanged teeth threatening to spill blood. It’s even more difficult to breath. I can feel every part of me.. burning.. and I know why..

 

“Say the words, Juleka!” Plagg shouted. "I've got the perfect outfit!"

 

Juleka closed her eyes, taking the pin out from her hair and letting it fall into the sink- as her dark inky hair pooled over her face.. before her thin copper eyes snapped open, and she slicked back the hair from her face, combing her claws through her dark locks, freeing her of everything that was Juleka Couffaine. Being pretty wasn't enough. Being her, wasn't enough.

 

..it was so obvious..

 

Both of her eyes were glowing with passion- as she felt herself melt away, felt herself become her. The better her. The one Rose could love. The one Rose deserved to love. Not this shy, wallflower, cowardly piece of shit she was without the mask.

 

..it’s because I..

 

Plagg, Transform Me.” Panthera grinned, she felt tired.. so tired..

 

..am in love with you.

 

 

 

Notes:

Thank you Ronoken for the inspiration of Plagg’s.. rant. That was hilarious to write.

This shit got really Beastar-y.. And- well.. that gets worse! :) sorry I love Beastars it’s a good show/manga. Expect more references.

Welcome to the actual fic Adam/Prince! I can’t wait to murder you! Little shit.
For those who don’t follow my tumblr, this little fuck was an accidentally made OC that we all fucking despise for no reason, you’ll see more of him later.

If you want to see the designs of all the kids (plus Aurore) here they are: https://justanotherpersonsuniverse.tumblr.com/post/626379699453575168/princess-promthe-entire-class
Though I made some changes to Some of the outfits in this fic

This chapter has..been in the making for a while

Part 2 coming soon... let’s see what Marinette and Alya are up to..

Chapter 35: Princess Prom (2)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Marinette giggled as she darted through the party with Alya, hands intertwined as they swung around in a goofy bliss. Okay maybe they had one or two sips of wine, but they were responsible dumb teens. They weren’t drunk. Really they weren’t. Super sober. Yeah.

 

Okay they were giggly as hell and felt kinda loosey goosey. Doing faaaaantastic. Yep. They’ll be fine.

 

”Hurry hurry!” Alya ushered, shoving her forward as fast as she could. The two ran behind a pillar, shushing at eachother as Nathaniel ran past them shouting in tired desperation.

 

”Aw come on guys!” He gasped for breath, stumbling through “Why did I have to get tagged?” 

 

Alya and Marinette stared at eachother with big goofy grins, trying to stifle their laughter as Nathaniel eventually disappeared. The two looked at eachother for three seconds and absolutely lost it, crumpling into giggles.

 

Marinette wasn’t sure if she’s had this much fun in a while since becoming Ladybug. There was always just this.. stress.. that had been hanging over her shoulders as things just piled more and more onto her-

 

Her eyes fluttered a bit with thought as Alya continued to ramble about something.

 

-Though she could recount how every moment with her best friend had been able to relieve her of such stress, if only for a short while, when they weren’t talking about her super hero counterpart. It felt like things have gotten worse somehow with her meeting of Master Fu.

 

She wanted to feel relieved that there was now someone to guide her, but..

 

‘”What about Panthera Noire?” Marinette asked, her legs aching a little from sitting for so long as Master Fu took pictures of the book.

 

”I’ll tell her when the time comes and she is ready to meet me” He reassured, before looking back at the book “Technology is so interesting”’

 

..Would she be told when Panthera knew? Does Panthera already know now? Does Panthera know more? Would she and Panthera meet eachother’s identities? What if—

 

“Hey Girl, you good? You’re staring off” Alya said. Marinette blinked, turning to the red haired girl and smiled.

 

”I’m doing okay” Marinette said softly “Things have just been busy.”

 

Alya nodded “Ah right, you’re uh.. working with your parent’s bakery and stuff. Totally understand. Plus babysitting, and presidential duties.” She clicked her tongue “I could cover some of those for you, you know. I’m the deputy after all!”

 

Marinette shook her head “A-Ah no no no it’s fine! Seriously! I wouldn’t want to bother you sense you know, you’re busy with your blog an’stuff!”

 

Alya’s face fell with concern, thinking for a moment as the two girls fell into an awkward silence. The soft beating of the party’s music filling the space between them.

 

”You know I love you girl-“ Alya said, though her voice pausing in consideration, as if she was wondering how to continue or sentence, or if she wanted to stop it there, her warm amber eyes squinting before looking up at her “-so if you want to tell me anything I—“

 

Suddenly they were plunged into darkness. Marinette squeaked with shock, her head spinning around in confusion as Alya immediately pulled her in protectively. She wasn’t sure why her cheeks heated up but she blamed the wine.

 

“W-What is the meaning of this!?” Mayor Bourgeois’s voice shouted, pushing his way through the darkened crowd before a bright hot pink light fell onto him, casting the entire room’s attention on him.

 

A corrupted multi layered cackle echoed through the room, as a figure of a young woman, only recognized by a trail of toxic green corrupted energy that split across her body like a shattered mirror, slammed into the middle of the dance floor in front of him.

 

Marinette squinted her eyes, unable to fully see the stranger’s body, especially when Alya began to push her backwards.

 

The young woman’s different colored eyes glowed in the darkness- and a dangerous fanged grin stretched across her face as one word was shouted throughout the ballroom.

 

”AKUMA!”

 

Taking out a long heavy sword that was somehow hidden behind her, the akumatized woman aimed it at the mayor and in a flash of glowing red energy- he disappeared in an explosion of light and streamers.

 

Marinette and Alya gasped as screams erupted through the ballroom, she watched as the sword glimmered before disappearing in another flash of light.

 

”NOT JUST AN AKUMA! I—“ The Akuma shouted “—AM PRINCESS PROM! COME ON! IT’S PARTY TIME! RELAX! TAKE A DRINK! YOU’LL BE HERE FOR FOREVER AFTER ALL!” She cackled

 

For a moment she could fully see the Akuma’s shadowed form, but she was ushered away by Alya, who was shoving her up the stairs in a panic.

 

”Run run run, we’re running!” Alya shouted. Marinette slipped, feeling her shoes come out beneath her as she fell against the stairs. She winced in pain and she heard the large pounding of steps shrink a little bit as she looked up.

 

Alya’s wide amber eyes stared at her with worry and she opened up her hand towards her. The dark blue hues of the once golden Grande Paris swallowing them whole, as well as the blaring lights that screamed danger above them.

 

Marinette left one her shoes behind, wincing as her ankle ached a little as she grasped tightly to Alya’s warm hand and was yanked to her feet.

 

”W-What about your blog?” Marinette sputtered, Alya glanced at her with a comforting smile.

 

”You come first! I’ll get to it when I know you’re safe!” Alya said, her eyes shining softly as she pulled Marinette into one of the hallways. Marinette tilted her head across the corner with the blogger.

 

The foyer was bustling with crowded and panicked people. Flashes of light like causing more and more people to panic and scatter around.

 

”Oh shit you lost your shoe I didn’t even notice that” Alya said

 

Marinette blinked with surprise shaking her head “It’s fine! I’ll grab it later!”

 

”No girl I can get it!” Alya grinned reassuringly “Just stay here!”

 

Marinette reached out as Alya gave her a flashing grin and darted into the crowds again. Marinette blinked, stumbling a little. Tikki poked out of her bag.

 

”This party needs a Ladybug!” Tikki exclaimed before looking up concernedly “Marinette? Are you okay?”

 

”I never knew Alya cared so much” Marinette said, Tikki blinked and just laughed

 

”Of course she cares, Marinette. She’s your best friend.” The kwami said, spinning around “Now let’s transform!”

 

”Right!” Marinette said, thinking “The akuma is hiding in the crowd, which means we have to be sneak too!” She muttered, looking up at Tikki “Can you change my costume like you did before?”

 

Tikki nodded “Sure can Marinette! What would you like?”

 

”You’ll know” Marinette said, shuffling the best she could on her twisted ankle to a secluded area “Tikki! Spots On!”

 

...

 

”Marinette! I’ve got your—“

 

Alya paused, finding the spot where she last put her crush empty. She blinked, looking around, with the girl’s white slipper in her hand.

 

”Where’d she go?” She wondered, eyebrows knitting together with fear and concern. Debating whether to look around her go after the akuma. No. No Marinette came first..

 

”Hey”

 

Alya swirled around and the moment her eyes made contact with the young woman in front of her, she felt her legs slightly into jello and her cheeks heat up.

 

”P-Pan-Panthera Noire?” She sputtered, holding the shoe close to her pounding chest “What- what are you doing here?” 

 

The cat hero grinned, the dark lights of the locked down hotel casting over her. Slitted and hungry emerald eyes glazing over her.

 

“Oh.. just to see some purr-ety ladies, which I’ve already done now that you’re here, but also kick some akuma butt..” The cat hero purred, her deep husky voice sending a chill up Alya’s back “Say.. ‘ave you seen Ladybug by chance?”

 

...

 

Ladybug shot out of the opposite hall which connected to the other side of the foyer. In her suit— which had changed to a pretty knee length, sleeveless crimson turtleneck dress, her hair tied no longer in its two pigtails but a low curly bun instead.

 

Her yo-yo was firmly attached at her side in the small string belt and her silver blue eyes were steady as she moved smoothly through the crowds. The music was now thumping in a rhythmic club like beat. Vastly different from royally classic that had smoothed through the party earlier.

 

The soft clicking of her heels beneath her feet went in tandem with her heart, which yes, totally meant she was awkwardly and stressfully shuffling through the crowd.

 

Unfortunately, being double disguised was backfiring as her, and for once, Marinette wished for people to part like the red seas for her when she was her heroic persona.

 

”Shit..” She muttered “Why did I have to get Mama’s short genes..”

 

“Need a knight in shining armor? My dear?”

 

Marinette squeaked, being pretty much yanked out of the crowd- sending her tumbling back into someone’s chest. She spun around to face the familiar face and her voice died the moment she tried to make a coherent greeting.

 

Panthera’s dark wavy locks were slicked back, completely out of her face and fluffing around her shoulders like a wild lion’s mane- falling down her shoulders and combed through just way too sensually for Marinette’s stability.

 

Replacing her open hoodie and suit underneath, and cargo pants covered in silver zippers and lines, Panthera was now sported in a finely fitted unbuttoned suit and a violet dress shirt that she wore underneath, that was open up just enough to show enough of her collarbone that made Marinette gulp a little.

 

Especially with that hanging loosely tie, and the literal bell collar that hung around Panthera’s neck.

 

The sleeves had been hiked up above her elbow showing off her strong, well muscled arms, and instead of her usual gloves that went up to her elbow- she now wore a pair of fingerless leather gloves. 

 

It was like a switch had been made between the well meaningly playful flirt with a softer and more somber side, that Panthera usually was- and this hauntingly gorgeous glass of water that was standing in front of her. She actually kinda wanted her goofy kitty back this.. this..

 

This didn’t feel right for some reason.

 

It felt..

 

..fake.

 

“Partner” Panthera greeted smoothly, bending down to plant a polite kiss on Marinette’s held up knuckles.

 

”Hi! Panthera- How uh, how are you?” Marinette asked a little weakly, trying to not look at Panthera’s.. ah.. well muscled arms and overall.. uhm.. very nice outfit. She looked down to see the piece of metal awkwardly sticking out of her pocket “And is that a magic staff or are you just happy to see me?”

 

Panthera blinked, looking down and laughing- “Yes it is a magic staff and I am also happy to see you” She purred, before tilting her head to the side ”Why? Does it look like I’m hiding something?” Panthera asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

 

”A little” Marinette chuckled. Panthera snorted, pulling her baton out and after some brief consideration, just hung it on the back of her belt. Marinette’s smile fell though when she looked at Panthera a little closer.

 

She was tense. And her eyes were incredibly slitted, not the relaxed reassuring comforting ones Marinette found herself so used to. That slicked back hair looked somehow forced in some way. Wild and free? Sure, but also bristled and sticking up on end like a terrified cat.

 

”You know, I’m very flattered, I am, that you’re checking me out.” Panthera’s voice cut through her thoughts again. Marinette blinked, laughing awkwardly as the cat hero gave a sly grin at her.

 

”Sorry, ahaha.. I guess we had the same idea” Marinette said, motioning at her own dress and Panthera’s.. everything. Panthera hummed, tail curling around.

 

”Yeah, though I can’t help but admire your outfit a little more.. you look absolutely radiant in that, Partner” Panthera purred, Marinette flushed and swatted at her.

 

”Stoooopittt!” She whined, Panthera just snickering in response. “Since when did you flirt with me? Didn't you ask me not to fall in love you?”

 

Panthera rose an eyebrow “Why? Are you falling right now?” She asked, leaning closely towards her face. Marinette puffed her cheeks out and putting a hand on Panthera’s face, she shoved the cat girl’s face away from her.

 

”Not a chance.” Marinette smiled, Panthera nodded, smoothing a stray lock of hair out of her face. Marinette internally screamed and nodded down away to the dance floor. “We need to find the akuma, but she’s hiding in the crowd somewhere and I couldn’t catch what she looked like. Did you see her?”

 

”Can’t say I have.” Panthera mused “But she could see us..”

 

”What?”

 

Panthera took her wrist and began to pull her towards the dance floor smoothly. The soft clicking her her heels tapping in time with the quickening music before it drawled to a stop and the two suddenly burst out of the crowds-

 

Marinette stumbled for a moment, threatening to fall straight into the ground only for Panthera to grab her by the wrist- she looked up as the two hero’s opposite arms were locked with eachother in the middle of the dance floor. The blinding pink light pouring down on them. She could barely see the crowd.

 

”What are you doing?” She whispered shouted.

 

”Catching their attention.” Panthera smiled, as the music suddenly snapped back to life and she pulled her close. One claw behind her back, one holding one of her hands- while Marinette was forced to grab onto her shoulder.

 

”I can’t dance.” Marinette sputtered as they began to walk around eachother, her feet stumbling a little as they went.

 

Panthera just grinned, eyes thin. “Then follow my lead..”

 

There were many words that Marinette Dupain-Cheng could use to describe her partner. A romantic, a sensual being, a dork, brave, kind, supportive in ways Marinette couldn’t be at times, and passionate. Very passionate.

 

In their dance of a flurry of reds and blacks, the world for a moment, was just the two of them as their silent acts of appreciation through their movements were noticed and acknowledged. Like when they were fighting the akumas together. Always seeming to know what to do to match the other.

 

Panthera’s quick hands pulling Ladybug around and guiding her through and around the dance floor, stealing hearts like the sly cat she always was.

 

But it all felt hollow as well. An act. Because behind their masks, Marinette had no idea who the girl in front of her was.

 

”I didn’t know you could dance..” Marinette whispered as she was spun around Panthera gracefully. She felt practically weightless in the girl’s arms

 

”My mother found life in teaching me and my brother the strangest things.” Panthera purred, nails tracing over Marinette’s side as she twisted around her. “And I hope to keep you on your toes, with enough new things you can learn about me”

 

Those emerald eyes, posture radiating with confidence and grave- how she smiled at Ladybug so politely at times it felt like she was holding the red hero to a standard where all she could do was stare in awe and respect. Marinette didn’t want that. She just wanted her friend.

 

And while this stranger, with the same face, the same movement, the same sly smirk that decorated her face as she made Marinette blush on occasion, and she spun her around the ballroom with a sensual grace- the crowds around them still allured by their partnership despite not knowing who they were— seemed like Panthera Noire. It just wasn’t.

 

Well— of course it’s physically her, unless the akuma can shapeshift, Marinette rationally thought. But that wasn’t what she meant.

 

The Panthera in front of her now, grinning and dancing her across the ballroom floor in a way she didn’t know the cat could, was not the one she usually was. There was a sense of sadness and distractedness in her eyes that not even her toothy smile could hide.

 

”Are you okay?” Marinette asked quietly.

 

”Completely” Panthera quickly said with a beaming but strained smile.

 

It was scary because for a moment, Marinette believed her. Her mind had immediately jumped to a Okay then, moving on- despite how clear it was that her cat wasn’t okay. She looked worried. Scared. Distracted. Troubled. It was all in her face yet her soothing as usual tone convinced her just a moment- to ignore all of that.

 

What happened to Panthera? Was she always like this?

 

More people jumped onto the dance floor, dancing around them- Marinette found herself looking around to see familiar masked faces and she almost felt a little competitive. Perhaps their dance had reached the other surviving party goers and calmed them down from the attack?

 

Yet still, there was no sign of Princess Prom, and while Marinette was admittedly enjoying this dance, her sense of unease was starting to build.

 

Suddenly Panthera hissed under her breath, eyes wide as she spun Marinette around- purposely tripping Marinette’s feet. The girl in red yelped, before finding herself in a dip. Panthera’s eyes focused on her own for a moment before motioning to the side.

 

”Right behind me partner, on the balcony. Can you see them?” She hissed. Marinette blinked, looking up past Panthera’s face and squinting through the lights.

 

Shined by the spotlights of the party, there she stood. Princess Prom’s long dark wild hair flowed in the hazey pink light of the room.

 

For one of her eyes, her sclera was an inky black that had continued out of her eye, and going up her face in a glowing corrupted like pattern that continued over her chest (which had a half heart pendent hanging loosely around it) and completely covering one of her arms.  Situated on her head was a crown. 

 

Princess Prom’s face twisted into a scowl as Marinette made eye contact with her before disappearing backwards into the darkness again.

 

”Where could she be? I lost her!” Marinette wondered in growing panic. Panthera looked around in a quick roll her neck, before her shoulders casually shrugged.

 

She took Marinette’s opposite wrist and rolled her into an embrace where Marinette found the cat girl’s chest pressing against her back- holding on her arms firmly as her head dipped beside her ear.

 

”Then we keep partying until we find her, Partner..” Panthera purred beside her ear, her raspy voice tickling against her reddening cheeks, before Panthera spun her way, making the Ladybug girl go flying through the crowd.

 

Once she steadied, Marinette swung around as Panthera wiggled her fingers at her, another song rising through the crowd before Panthera hastily turned and disappeared.

 

Marinette grimaced, well she’s excited tonight.. she thought, cheeks a little pink, before she pushed through the crowd to try and look for Princess Prom.

 

She didn’t expect it to be so hard to run in the dark, and she swore she could still feel the throbbing in her twisted ankle. It made it all the more worse as once she turned into a hallway far from the party and she was slammed into the floor by a cackling Princess Prom.

 

”Hey, Ladybug” Princess Prom grinned. “Be a good pest and hand over your stupid miraculouses!”

 

Marinette squeezed her eye shut, reaching for her yo-yo weakly only for a loud cloud of freezing white power to flood her vision. She kicked Princess Prom off of her and made eye contact with Alya a few meters away holding a fire extinguisher in her hands.

 

The two made eye contact for a few moments and Marinette couldn’t help but stare at her best friend. They were supposed to be practically strangers like this, and sure, Ladybug definitely was a lot closer to the Ladyblog than any other news station- and had done private interviews- and-

 

Wow I have not done a good job at being discrete about our friendship have I? Marinette thought in a rare moment of realization. Blinking. Alya is.. really great..

 

“Get going!” Alya shouted “Take as long as you need, Ladybug! I know you’ll save the day!” She beamed “And I’ll catch it all on you know where!” She added goofily.

 

Marinette grinned and turned around, running through the clouds of biting ice and cold and shoved her way into a bathroom, opening one of the stalls and locking it to hide.

 

”Lucky charm!” She whispered, spinning her yo-yo around as the dark bathroom sparkled in it’s red glow- before dropping into her gloved hands were..

 

”A.. bell? This looks like Panthera’s bell collar” Marinette muttered “Does this mean I need her? Great, well I already knew that. But where could she be?” She wondered

 

Suddenly, the bathroom door opened, and she clapped a hand over her mouth and hiked her feet up on the toilet- and hearing the soft crackling of dark electricity and power- She readied her yo-yo to fight- only to drop it at her side when she heard a familiar voice along with Princess Prom’s.

 

”L-Look! Just listen to me I have no idea where Ladybug is!”

 

”Shut it Ladyblogger.. I can smell someone in here..”

 

Marinette froze I can’t fight if Alya’s in here, she’ll get hurt! She realized with horror. Princess Prom was kicking down doors in beams of electrical light and they were slowly echoing closer and closer to her stall. Thinking fast- she quickly timed the electrical lights and just as she could see the two girls’s feet outside the bathroom door—

 

—Marinette blinked her eyes open, the last of her transformations breaking at her pigtails turned bun.

 

”Marinette!” Alya shoved past the akuma, letting her phone clatter against the ground as she threw herself onto the girl in a squeezing hug before pulling away and checking her face vigorously “W-Where did you go? Are you okay? Why are you in here?”

 

If Marinette blushed a little, Alya didn’t notice, she was just glad her girl was okay.

 

”I’m fine! My ankle hurts though.. I hid here in the bathrooms because I..” Marinette started before squeaking as Princess Prom looked over them, her sword scraping on the ground before sweeping pointed at them. Alya growled, putting herself in front of Marinette like a shield.

 

You don’t get to hurt her..” Alya snapped, her hand moving to Marinette’s and giving it a trembling squeeze. Princess Prom rose an eyebrow at the two of them before they narrowed. Marinette gulped and eventually, the akuma lowered her weapon.

 

”..Get OUT of here!” She snarled- slamming her sword hilt against the bathroom stall, and Alya and Marinette immediately booked it.

 

Finding themselves running back into the foyer- there was definitely a lot less people on the dance floor now. Whether that meant they had been able to escape, run deeper into the hotel, or were literally Thanos Dusted by Princess Prom- Marinette couldn’t tell.

 

The music was slowly fading into a slower beat. She swore she could see Panthera in the crowd but it was far too late to shout for her, especially in the identity she was wearing now.

 

“Oh and uh- Marinette here’s you shoe back” Alya said, holding up her slipper and grinning “I told you I’d get it back.”

 

Marinette blinked with surprise “Oh, thank you, Alya” she said gratefully, trying to lift her foot but wincing with pain as it began to sting and ache again.

 

”Oh! Don’t stress yourself, let me..”

 

Alya sat her down on the stairs and taking one of Marinette’s legs, she gently fitted the shoe back on Marinette’s foot, lingering for a moment and looking up at the fashion designer. She gave a gentle laugh that made Marinette’s cheeks tickle and stood up again, extending another hand.

 

”You’re such a klutz, girl” Alya teased, making Marinette giggle and attempted to stand only to trip onto Alya- faces barely centimeters apart. This was fine right? Totally fine! They were friends, this has happened before! Marinette thought in a panic.

 

They laughed awkwardly together and Alya helped Marinette stand more steadily on her feet.

 

”Uhm..” Alya said “So like, I know your ankle is a little.. fucked.. but..” She gave a weak smile “Would you.. like a dance?”

 

Marinette paused, before nodding and letting Alya pull her closer in a gentle embrace.

 

The slow sway between them as they traveled slowly across the dancefloor was not like Panthera’s passionate dance from earlier. It felt like the tension that had been bubbling beneath her skin had melted away with Alya’s smile and touch.

 

Panthera was experienced but her feelings of conflicting tension in her eyes that Marinette felt concerned about stopped her from being as genuine as this. Alya’s little mistakes and occasional giggle making Marinette’s heart skip more and more. That being said, Marinette was still worried. Where was Panthera?

 

”Am I any good at dancing, girl?” Alya asked a little cheekily. “Anything like you imagine for Adrien?”

 

Marinette snorted “Maybe even better”

 

Alya blinked “R-Really?”

 

”Well I’ve never danced with Adrien before, can’t imagine I ever could” Marinette shrugged casually, before giggling “I’d say you’re fabulous though.”

 

The look of genuine softness that went across Alya’s expression surprised Marinette actually. Her gentle amber eyes filling with a deeper level of warmth as she let out a chuckle.

 

”Thank you, Mari.” Alya said, giving her best friend a little spin before pursing her lips and slowing a little “Uhm.. Marinette I have something I wanted to..”

 

”Marinette?”

 

She squeaked, turning around to see..

 

”Adrien?”

 

The young model gave a weak nervous laugh, waving. “Do- Did you say you wanted a dance?” He asked a little shyly, opening up a hand. Marinette blinked with surprise, not realizing her grip on Alya had already been let go b6 Alya herself, who was now backing slowly away.

 

Marinette felt her throat go dry “Uh, sure! I’d love to..”

 

Adrien took her hand in the most gentlemanly way possible and began to lead her towards the middle of the dance floor as they swayed around eachother. It felt like a scene from the Disney movies she used to watch. The scene where princesses fell truly in love with their princes.

 

But this time, instead of where Panthera felt out of place in their own dance from before- Marinette felt out of place. She felt distracted in the same her cat must have been.

 

Because even though this was everything she felt like she ever could’ve wanted- Marinette found herself glancing back, looking for a certain face in the crowd that wasn’t the one in front of her.

 

With Panthera, their dance was one full of passion, of everything they should’ve been really- people expected them to fall in love so why wouldn’t they? It’s cause Panthera loved another and as always, her eyes were on the prize. Even if Marinette liked her, Panthera couldn’t see her as an option. And that was okay.

 

As for Adrien..

 

Do I love Adrien Agreste? Her mind wondered. She closed her eyes and looked back at him. Who am I kidding, I had a crush on him. It definitely was nice for a little while. And I can definitely enjoy this dance for as much as I can. But I don’t love him anymore. I can’t lie to myself like that.

 

Adrien gave her a gentlemanly bow as the song slowed to a stop and she gave a polite curtsy. This prince, he was just a kid like her. The whole reason she liked him before was because he was shown to be a real person besides a perfect face, and maybe it was about time to treat him like so.

 

”Thanks Adrien, you’re a good friend, that was fun” Marinette smiled

 

”Really? I’m so glad, I was a little worried you didn’t like me sense you haven’t really spoken to me since.. you know..” Adrien trailed off a little

 

”Since the umbrella? O-Oh no, I’ve just- I’ve just been a mess.. lately.. uhm.. thanks for the dance!” Marinette smiled, waving as she began to shuffle off “S- Uh- See you later!”

 

The akuma wasn’t over, and she needed her cat for this, now where could she be?

 

...

 

Watching on the other side of the room, Nino and Alya stood in silence.

 

”I think we did the right thing..” Nino said a little weakly “I mean, I still like her, but I love my bro too and- Alya? Are you okay?”

 

She wasn’t.

 

So she ran. Even when Nino’s voice shouted behind her, she kept running cause it was just too much to have the warmth in her heart fill her so much for just a moment, only to have it yanked away so quickly. 

 

She shut the door behind her, entering the cold empty hallway. The moon shining through the window in soft gentle rays.

 

Alya inhaled deeply, hands shaking as her eyes burned with tears. She let out a silent choked sob, rubbing her face messily as she tried not to cry. Damn it.. damn it.. don’t you dare cry about this Cesaire this is not the first time she.. she..

 

..damn it why do I always get the short end of the stick like this?! It’s always fucking like this!

 

“Oh hey.”

 

Alya blinked with surprise, mid wiping away her tears to see Panthera Noire curled up in a ball leaning against the wall, eyes red and puffy under her dark shimmering mask and looking like, well, a total mess.

 

Panthera sniffed, blinking up at her “So like.. you get ditched by your crush who abandoned you for a prince too?”

 

Alya just stared.

 

..What tHE FU—

 

Ahem.

 

Lets rewind a little...

 

 

Notes:

HAHA
HAHAHA
OOF

We’re halfway there guys.

Let’s see what happened to Jul-Panthera.

If you wanna see our lovely ladies’s designs here they are! https://justanotherpersonsuniverse.tumblr.com/post/624646267613642752/panthera-noire-au-princess-prom

And if you want to know what Princess Prom herself looks like— it- it’s just- it.. it’s just Corrupted Catra.. from Season 3.. in Adora’s Dress..
...shh

Chapter 36: Princess Prom (3)

Summary:

We cut back to what happened to Ju- Panthera Noire.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

“Plagg, Transform Me.”

 

The prickling and surging energy that burst through and under her skin, filling her chest with a new breath of fresh light- Juleka was not the one to open her now emerald slitted eyes. Panthera Noire was.

 

She ran a hand through her hair, before looking down at her new leather gloves. Grinning, she gazed up at her arms and then, looking up to see her suit. Panthera let out a laugh as she fluffed it out. She was perfect.

 

Stepping out of the bathrooms, the gala turned club’s music was truly pounding in her ears now. And she felt her heart rhythmically bumping with it. I need to find the akuma. As long as the akuma’s around, Rose is in danger. However before she could move any further, she saw a familiar face. One that could point her in a certain direction.

 

Strolling up to Alya she could already feel herself start to numb a little. She doesn’t remember their entire interaction, perhaps she really was going on autopilot.

 

I’m tired.

 

Suck it up.

 

She found Marinette. Or, well, Ladybug. Her night vision couldn’t make up its mind with the blaring rave lights, but she could recognize that shade of red anywhere.

 

“Need a knight in shining armor? My dear?”

 

Panthera smoothly yanked her out of the crowd and enjoyed the new shades that bloomed on her friend’s face that matched her suit. But Panthera’s smile was strained. And the weight that was bringing down her heart was immeasurably heavy. She only had one word on her mind and it flooded and burned through every thought and sense in her body and soul.

 

Rose.

 

It felt like Marinette’s voice was muffled by water, and she barely could respond through the cotton balls that she didn’t remember stuffing into her mouth. But somehow she found something in her to respond. 

 

“...We need to find the akuma, but she’s hiding in the crowd somewhere and I couldn’t catch what she looked like. Did you see her?”

 

”Can’t say I have.” Panthera mused, she couldn't say it matter to her either. She wasn’t sure how she was talking, but she was doing it. “But she could see us..”

 

”What?” Marinette sputtered.

 

Panthera had pulled Ladybug into a dance. It was everything the world could’ve ever wanted. Cat and Ladybug, ladybug and cat. Creation and destruction. A useless cat like her and the most brilliant girl she knew— it was perfect, and yet it was not what she wanted.

 

Because if she wanted Marinette, she wouldn’t be constantly glancing over her shoulder, looking for a particular blonde in the crowd, who’s eyes could turn both Panthera and Juleka’s legs into jelly, heart to skip into the sky, who could make her breath again.

 

”I didn’t know you could dance..” Marinette whispered as she was spun around gracefully

 

”My mother found life in teaching me and my brother the strangest things.” Panthera said as smoothly as possible, remembering the.. interesting memories of Anarka very enthusiastically teaching her how to tango at a young age, saying it’d make her attract all the boys and girls “And I hope to keep you on your toes, with enough new things you can learn about me”

 

But instead, there was only darkness and the flicker of red that she was dancing with, whatever words spoken between them that Panthera didn’t even control herself saying, and the two piercing eyes glaring at them above the crowd.

 

Panthera’s eyes tightened as she made eye contact with Princess Prom. 

 

”Shit..” She cursed under her breath and doing a quick kick with her foot and tripping Marinette- smoothly dipping her. ”Right behind me partner, on the balcony. Can you see them?” She hissed. Marinette blinked, looking up past Panthera’s face and squinting through the lights.

 

And like that, Marinette clambered back to her feet as Panthera looked around to see her gone.

 

”Where could she be? I lost her!” Marinette wondered in growing panic. Panthera looked around in a quick roll her neck, spotting someone much more important instead. Her shoulders casually shrugged. 

 

We’ll find her eventually. Panthera thought as a smile began to stretch across her lips.

 

She took Marinette’s opposite wrist and rolled her into an embrace where Marinette’s back leaned against cat girl’s chest- while she was holding on her arms firmly and dipped beside her ear.

 

”Then we keep partying until we find her, Partner..” Panthera purred beside her ear, her raspy voice tickling against her partner’s reddening cheeks, before she spun her away, making the Ladybug girl go flying through the crowd.

 

She could see Ladybug stumbling through in confusion before looking up at her with those wide glimmering silver blue eyes. Panthera wiggled her fingers at her and left her partner.

 

Panthera pushed through the crowd, waving and whistling at the girls she passed, watching them swoon and giggle.

 

Perfection. Perfection. Perfection.

 

”...He didn’t!”

 

”He did!” Adam’s voice carried through towards her twitching ears, she could feel her hair bristle with envy and her tail lash. And soon, pushing her way through the last of the surrounding crowd, was Adam and Rose. They were sitting on some chairs that were lined around the walls of the room and Rose looked just as beautiful as she was when Juleka left her. 

 

Adam in Rose’s presence looked much kinder. The look of cold superiority he stared at her with was pretty much entirely melted. Panthera’s eyes narrowed with a growing bubbling jealousy as Adam stared at Rose with too warm of a smile, and a look on Rose’s face that reflected the same happiness.

 

Perhaps it was dangerous to be transformed like this, so angry. And selfish. But Panthera couldn’t help it. And may the world punish her later if she caused something awful.

 

Panthera’s tail lashed as a smile split across her face and she approached them.

 

”Sunbeam.”

 

”Panthera Noire!” Rose looked up with surprise and beaming glee, meanwhile Adam looked politely intimidated. Somehow. Was that a thing. Juleka had no clue. Wait she was loosing her persona- shh shh- Rose fell into a hushed but excited whisper “Are you here to stop the Akuma?”

 

”Once I find her, yes.” Panthera giggled, her heart feeling light as she bent down a little to meet Rose’s eyes. Completely ignoring Adam as she stopped herself from shooting him an annoying smug look. “How have you been enjoying the party?”

 

”..It’s a little scary because of the akuma attack..” Rose admitted, before smiling just a little to soothe the worry in her murmur, “Adam here has been keeping me company but I’m worried about.. I’m worried about Juleka..” 

 

Panthera’s ear twitched and for a moment, the numb shield around her heart fractured. And she could feel the rush of emotions she was desperately pushing down to be ‘better’ prickle through her. For a moment Rose was staring at Juleka and not Panthera.

 

She remembered me.. A soft voice in her head echoed, one she had been trying to drown since the moment she transformed.

 

Juleka smiled and took Rose’s hand, “I promise I’ll try and find her, My Princess.”

 

The way Rose beamed, and the way Adam glowered in the edge of her vision, was what brought Juleka some momentary time to breath. Where the music wasn’t overwhelming and helping drown her emotions, where her hands weren’t numb and her memory was blacking out-

 

Juleka sighed, smoothing back the hair that had fallen back over her face and becoming Panthera again, her toothy grin stretching back across her cheeks

 

“Now, I came here for a bit of a request,” Panthera purred, letting her dark mane fluff around her shoulders as she looked back up at Rose. The blonde haired girl blinked up at her expectantly as the cat hero and extended a hand. “Would you have a dance with me?”

 

Rose let out a soft laugh and took her hand, nodding enthusiastically, “Why not!”

 

Adam sputtered “A-Ah Rose wait-“

 

”I’ll see you later, Adam! Thanks for the dance earlier!” Rose waved, Panthera twiddled her fingers at him as she pulled Rose away from the chairs and towards the dance floor. She wanted to grin. She's mine, Adam. She put her hand over Rose's shoulder. Game over!

 

”All things considered, it’s a nice party.” Panthera purred, eyes adjusting once again to the blinding violet lights. Panthera was the won to win. Not Juleka, not Adam- Panthera.

 

Of course Juleka wasn’t enough. Adam was right on that part. But that didn’t matter. Juleka was never enough for anything she just needed to fucking get that. Juleka should’ve died the moment He dunked her head into the water.

 

An existence of a weak child like her was an existence that didn’t deserve to live. But the moment she had put on Plagg’s Ring, that was the moment that weak child was finally drowned. A moment that should’ve happened a long time ago. Panthera was strength, Juleka was nothing.

 

”It is!” Rose smiled, “Though I still can’t help but be worried..”

 

“Then let me melt those worries away, My Princess!” Panthera purred, pushing a hair behind her ear as the music began to pep up again, throwing them into a goofy, giggle filled dance.

 

They let themselves own the dance floor. Giggling, stepping, and skipping to the playful music as Panthera gently swung her Rose around in blind bliss. The blonde’s voice sending a surge of energy through Panthera’s lungs.

 

Joy. Joy was what she could describe Rose to be. A literal ray of sunlight that bubbled away Juleka’s doubts and fears.

 

Panthera swung her arm around and plucked a red carnations from one of the nearby luxurious flower pots and tucked it behind Rose’s ear, making her smile. More people began to dance around them, as a whirlwind of colors flew by the two of them. The lights pouring down on them and coloring them in a romantic pink.

 

”I’ve been meaning to ask,” Rose began softly. “Why me?”

 

Panthera’s ear twitched, never unfocused as she held Rose tight in her grasp.

 

"What do you mean?” She asked slowly. Her voice prickled and precise. Rose hummed, running her fingers over the flower in her hair thoughtfully before looking back up at her with a gentle but of course, curious gaze.

 

 “I mean why all of this?" Rose replied. "The visiting, the flirts, this entire dance? What makes me different to you, than all of the girls in Paris?”

 

Panthera’s gaze darkened as they let themselves become obscured by the crowd as she leaned over Rose with her heavy, rippling voice. Her heart pounding in her ears as her right hand carefully caressed Rose’s cheek and the other on her back.

 

”It’s because..” Panthera said, eyelashes fluttering a little as she barely thought about what she was saying, as her right hand fell to Rose’s and gave it a gentle squeeze. This was it. This was it. This was it. Suddenly there was an energy filling her chest. A need to prove herself. Prove herself right here- “..I love you, darling. In more ways this alleycat’s sugary words can describe. You truly are, the sunbeams, in my life.”

 

What was she doing? Her mind was wondering that. But the fears of rejection and feeling of sense were not allowed here. Only Panthera’s cockiness. Only Panthera’s charm- Rose smiled, almost a little sadly. Panthera wondered what she would do, before Rose leaned up to Panthera’s face, seize that perfect moment where Panthera won over Adam, where Panthera won over Juleka, and- 

 

-put a hand between their mouths, she was kissing into her own fingers.

 

It sent a shock through her, almost like it woke her up, as Juleka felt her lips press into Rose’s palm. For a moment she felt warmth, but the uncertain bliss and confusion of the incomplete kiss, kept her from closing her eyes and melting into it in anyway.

 

Juleka felt all the strength of Panthera’s mask break and her shoulders sagged. Rose’s eyes were fluttered close, and perhaps Juleka’s would’ve too, if it was a real kiss. But it wasn’t.

 

Rose..? 

 

Juleka wasn’t sure what this was, as the girl combed a hand through Juleka’s locks gently, and she could feel her weight shift as they both leaned in and out of their gentle embrace. Rose’s eyes opened, and Juleka felt as if her heart shattered from the sheer look of sadness in her eyes.

 

Eventually, Rose pulled away, along with her hand, and she intertwined their fingers. Juleka didn’t know what to say, but that look on Rose’s face— it made her heart sink with an utter, spiraling, despair.

 

“I’m sorry.. I can’t return your feelings Panthera.. I..” Rose sucked in an uneasy breath before softly speaking “I.. I love someone else.”

 

Juleka swore she could hear her heart shattering into thousands of pieces. Her dance faltered, almost tripping over herself, as she felt her throat dry. Every part of her began to feel like it was crumbling.

 

It hurt.

 

It Hurt. It hurt it hurt.

 

This was so much worse than Princess Fragrance..

 

Rejection it was. Disgrace. Disgust no doubt.

 

“I- it’s not you. It’s me-”

 

But if she doesn’t love Panthera- she’ll never love me. Juleka realized, feeling as if the world was spinning around her. She felt sick. Weak. Rose’s voice barely audible. She might’ve thrown up if she could. I’m nothing. I’m a nobody. Not when I’m Panthera. But If she doesn’t like Panthera- whoever she likes will be better than I could ever be. I can’t- I’m- I- I can’t-

 

IT HURT!

 

Their dance slowed as she gave Rose one last dip- her hair falling from its slicked back state as it draped over the two of them. Some people were cheering for their beautiful waltz, but she couldn’t hear them. Juleka wanted to cry, but that hurt too much. She met Rose’s eyes.

 

“I’m sorry..” she murmured, as she lifted her up again. Juleka pulled her trembling claws away from her as her hair weakly draped over her face. She was nothing. Just Juleka. Just a girl trying to convince herself she had a chance. “I’m sorry..”

 

She turned to run, but this time, Rose grabbed onto her wrist. Juleka froze, muscles tensing as she felt her throat close up. She wanted to yank her arm away and scream but she somehow kept her composure. She somehow was able to stand despite this rejection. This agony. She couldn’t smile and pretend her heart wasn’t breaking she was just-

 

“Panthera.?”

 

“Really Rose just- please forget it.. forget me..” She hissed, she didn’t struggle against it. She couldn’t. Juleka winced as Rose slowly turned her around, and Juleka hid under her bangs.

 

She felt Rose carefully caress her cheek, wiping away a tear she hadn’t realized she shed. How weak of me. Juleka thoughtShe refused to look at Rose’s glimmering eyes cause she knew it would’ve broken her.

 

“I know this isn’t what you wanted. I’m sorry- Panthera- and I do- I do like you. A lot. You were my second love.” Rose said, her voice cracking a little as she suppressed her own tears. Why was she crying? “But.. like I said.. my heart belongs to another.. and I can’t- I can’t force myself to see them in you, to the point I’m just using you- I love you too much to do that.”

 

Rose sucked in an uneasy breath, baby blue eyes glimmering like stars to Juleka. The same eyes Juleka met so many years ago. The same eyes that made her heart feel a little less of the drowning pain inside her chest that silenced her for so many months. The same eyes that would be the death of her.

 

“I’m still glad I got to dance with you.” Rose added weakly.

 

I've made her so sad.

 

Finally looking up at her again, a feeling of shame filled her heart. She couldn’t help but feel selfish. Juleka took her hand again, giving her a gentlemanly bow as her eyes bore into the floor.

 

“..Me too” she softly said.

 

Juleka couldn’t hear what Rose said next as she quickly slunk back into the crowds- before running through the shuffling dancers and party folk. Passing by what looked like Marinette and Alya again- Juleka skidded into a dark hall, falling behind a corner and dropping to her knees.

 

She could only pray that no one heard her soft sobs. 

 

...

 

”You good?”

 

Juleka blinked, looking down at Alya as the last of her memories fluttered away again. Right. She was here. After Alya found her crying like a little baby... and proceeded to join her.

 

”Mrrp?” She tilted her head, heart heavy and numb.

 

”You zoned pretty far out there,” Alya said, taking another sip of the cup of wine they were able to pick out from a waiter. It didn’t do much for either of them, personally Juleka hated wine, tasted like dirt juice, but this was a love talk so like, they needed to drink something. Alya let out a cough and glanced back at her “You okay?”

 

”Pfft, when have I ever been okay?” Juleka snorted, tail twitching around as she leaned against the wall. She was exhausted really. She was a mess. She couldn’t comprehend anything.

 

”You’re not usually?” Alya asked a little concernedly “You seem so.. wild though? So, carefree.”

 

Juleka sighed heavily, making the grabby hands at the drink and took a sip, sticking out her tongue in disgust before setting it on the ground next to them. Her knees rolled close to her chest as she sniffled.

 

”I mean I guess..” She mumbled, hands trembling “Being Panthera is very invigorating, I do feel very alive and.. fuck.. a lot braver and just better as Her, but..I guess I’m a good actor for the other half of the time.” She laughed sadly, “I’m so tired.”

 

”Fucking mood.”

 

Juleka and Alya screamed, practically jumping in their spots as Chloe scooted right next to them and began to drink from the wine glass too, looking about just as bad as them.

 

”JESUS CHLOE WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?!” Alya screamed

 

”THE DAMN DOOR WHERE DO YOU THINK!?” Chloe squawked, pointing upwards.

 

”WHY ARE YOU HERE IN OUR CRYING CORNER?!”

 

”TO CRY DAMN IT! UGH!” Chloe growled, throwing the rest of the wine glass against the wall and watching it shatter to glass shards and splattered red liquid, making Juleka and Alya scream again. The blonde then pointed to Juleka “Well? And why are you crying, kitty cat? What’sswith you?”

 

Alya pointed at Juleka, “SHHHIT YOU’RE RIGHT FOR ONCE CHLOE! WHAT HAPPENED, GIRL?”

 

”NONE OF EITHER OF YOU TWO’S BUSINESS!” Juleka hissed, “I’m the therapy cat around here, you guys don’t get to interrogate me!”

 

”Really? Well aren’t you the one I walked into crying?” Alya asked sassily, shutting the cat hero up real quick. Chloe blinked.

 

”Shit really? I thought Alya was crying first and Panthera went to comfort you but you fucked it up and now you’re both crying? Sorry I wasn’t here for like, 90% of this shit,” Chloe said, pointing at the two of them.

 

Alya adjusted her glasses, “And didn’t you say- and I quote- ‘you get ditched by your crush who abandoned you for a prince too?’”

 

Chloe just looked fucking confused, “Who the hell would turn you down for a man?”

 

Juleka just let out another sob that bubbled out of her throat as she covered her face. Rose apparently.. I guess I’m just too big of an idiot to read any signs.. not only am I shitty person.. but I’m a shitty friend for not noticing Rose was in love with someone else and also flirting with her with a persona I thought she liked-!

 

“Shit, okay she’s crying. We broke the cat hero, uh uh-“ Alya panicked, pointing at Chloe, “What’s your deal, why are you crying-“

 

”The hell do you mean by that, Cesaire?!” Chloe barked

 

”WELL YOU CAME TO CRY FOR A REASON!” The blogger said, waving her arms. Juleka rubbed her eyes. She was very tired of the yelling right now.

 

Chloe fumed, standing up to stomp her foot on the ground ”I AM PERFECTLY FINE! AND IF IT WASN’T, IT’S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS—“

 

”You dropped a piece of paper,” Juleka deadpanned, sniffling out of her tears as she pointed at the paper that flew out of Chloe’s dress pocket. Which, off topic, was so neat. Like, man, dresses need more pockets. Pockets are great.

 

Chloe paled before turning bright red and swerving around towards Juleka as the cat hero held up a small, ripped piece of pink paper in her claws. 

 

”To.. Alix?” Alya read curiously “To Alix? What were you gonna give Alix?”

 

Chloe snapped it out of her hands.

 

“NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS CESAIRE!” She barked, before digging around her dress pockets and looking at the torn of ‘To Alix’. “Shit shit shit- did I- fuck..!

 

”You okay there, Queenie?” Juleka rose an eyebrow. Chloe’s eyes knitted together as she let herself fall back to the floor in a heap of tiredness.

 

”Peachy.. I lost the rest of my letter..” Chloe huffed, though looking like she was going to cry too. Man this night just fucking sucked!

 

”That sucks,” Alya noted. EXACTLY! Chloe snapped her eyes at her and just groaned. They all fell into a sad silence. Just.. 

 

Juleka sighed, rubbing her eyes as her heart continued to weigh inside her chest. Her tears not yet done flowing, yet her body too exhausted to continue. What am I gonna do..

 

Chloe clicked her tongue, glancing over at Alya, ”Wait Cesaire you have a crush on Mar—“

 

Suddenly the door slammed open and they all screamed again as Ladybug burst through with Princess Prom pinned beneath her.

 

”WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP BURSTING THROUGH THIS DAMN DOOR?!” Alya screamed, before being shoved out of the way by Juleka who threw her over to Chloe.

 

”BEAT IT YOU TWO!” Panthera barked, Chloe and Alya gave a pair of awkward thumbs ups and started to run.

 

Ladybug was suddenly thrown towards her and she smoothly caught her into her arms, stumbling backwards before dropping her back on the ground and whipping out her pole.

 

“Partner you okay?” She shouted as Ladybug stumbled back to her feet. She looked up at Juleka with a smile and nodded.

 

”Yeah, doin’ fine! Panthera! A-Are you okay?” Ladybug asked, spinning around her yo-yo. Juleka inhaled deeply, wiping away the last of her tears and sniffles as she stared forward at Princess Prom- sword glowing a corrupted red and eyes narrowed with anger.

 

”I will be.” Juleka bit out with anger, hair pooling over the side of her face as her thin eyes glowed viciously in the dark.

 

”Party is over, Princess!” Ladybug shouted.

 

”Not a chance!” Princess Prom snarled, sending blasts of electrical energy towards them that they quickly dodged out the door and back onto the dance floor.

 

”CLEAR THE AREA!” Juleka shouted, as the crowds of survivors spread out as Princess Prom swung after them. She felt herself stumble a little as she saw Rose’s eyes meet hers, but she steeled herself- continuing to block one of Princess Prom’s swings with her pole.

 

”LUCKY CHARM!”

 

Falling into Ladybug’s hands was a trash can lid- and Juleka watched as the ladybug user used it to block the incoming shot of crackling red energy. Her eyes followed the blast in catlike fascination as it bounced around the room and hit a vase.

 

Princess Prom roared, frustrated, before shooting towards them and slamming her sword where they once stood, as Ladybug flipped backwards and Juleka rolled forward and behind Princess Prom.

 

”Panthera!”

 

Juleka reached her arm backwards blindly, smiling as she felt Ladybug’s yo-yo shoot into her palm and stood up behind Princess Prom- wrapping the yo-yo around Princess Prom’s sword holding arm and around her neck-

 

Ladybug threw the trash can lid under her unbalanced foot, forcing her to fall as Panthera yanked it the end of the ladybug yo-yo the side.

 

”The sword?” Juleka asked, struggling to keep Princess Prom still as she looked up for guidance.

 

”It could be!” Ladybug shouted thoughtfully, holding the yo-yo tightly. “Do we let her go and then reach?”

 

”No! Wait!”

 

From the crowd a young strawberry blonde woman wearing a ponytail pushed her way through the crowd.

 

”Adelle stop!” A young man and shorter girl was running after her. 

 

She shoved her way towards them, pointing right at Princess Prom’s chest “It’s her heart necklace! I gave it to her when she was little! We were making a promise to never leave eachother!”

 

Juleka glanced downwards, and low and behold, that’s where the corrupted pattern started from, the small half heart shaped pendant hanging from her neck. Princess Prom flushed from the sudden unwanted attention and glared at her.

 

“Don’t.. you dare.” She hissed. Juleka shrugged.

 

Cataclysm.” The goth said, pulling Princess Prom’s hair aside and tapping her bubbling finger against the chain, watching it rust and deteriorate before crumbling into dust entirely. They watched the akuma flutter out of the necklace and as they released the akuma, Ladybug yoinked it out of the air with a smile.

 

”Bye bye little butterfly!”

 

The magic bubbled of Princess Prom’s form, leaving a young tan woman with short choppy locks and a suit. Her different colored eyes fluttered open in confusion as she looked around.

 

”What the hell?” She muttered, before said strawberry blonde girl practically threw herself onto her.

 

”CATRINA!” She shouted, making them fall over on the floor.

 

”G-GET OFF OF ME! DAGH-“

 

”BEST FRIEND SQUAD HUG INITIATED!”

 

“W-WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!”

 

Juleka let out a tired, but relieved sigh, as Ladybug threw up the lucky charm and casted miraculous cure. Juleka watched as the lights flickered back on to a warm gold, and party guests were returned onto the dance floor, albeit looking a little dazed. Including Kim, Alix, The Mayor, and a few others.

 

Ladybug skipped next to her and gave a gentle smile. Juleka lifted up a weak fist and her ear twitched happily as they fist bumped.

 

”Good work!” They both said, before Ladybu- Marinette put a hand on her shoulder.

 

”Did something happen today?” She whispered softly.

 

Juleka bristled, glancing through the crowd to see Rose, flower still in her hair, who waved shyly. Juleka smiled sadly, she was tired. So so tired.

 

”I’m fine Partner, just fine.” Juleka said, glancing softly at her. “I’ll see you later, Disaster Bug. Safe travels.”

 

”See you, Kitty,” Marinette giggled- and Panthera was gone.

 

...

 

Exiting out of the bathroom stalls, Juleka wasn’t sure to expect of the party, as she smoothed out her dress and slipped her gloves back over her hands. Plagg rested peacefully in her bag and.. well..

 

She wasn’t sure how to feel, other than just.. tired. And sad.

 

She had gotten a good cry earlier but..

 

”I couldn’t make her love me.. I shouldn’t have tried.. but now knowing she doesn’t even love my better self? Even after actually talking to her as that self- I- I just.. I don’t..” Juleka couldn’t find her words, rubbing her eyes with her trembling hands before glancing down at where her ring was. Maybe I shouldn’t have..

 

“You were chosen to wield the cat miraculous because you’re you- Juleka. Not because you’re anyone else. Panthera is you. You are Panthera. There is no better or worse version- you’re just.. you.“ Plagg said from the bag, as if sensing her distress.

 

“..Either way then.. Rose doesn’t love me.” Juleka murmured “If Panthera is me, then she’s rejected both of us...”

 

”No you- Juleka there is still a chance!” Plagg said, flying around in front of her “You were very not yourself tonight anyways, and she doesn’t know you’re Panthera so, she may have rejected your completely Panthera Persona side but-“

 

Juleka just nodded, sighing. She wasn’t convinced but.. that was comforting. She'd only wished she could've erased all that unkind effort as Panthera. She sniffled, and headed out of the bathrooms only to bump into a small form.

 

”Oh, Alix.” Juleka said, a little shocked by the small girl but politely nodding to her “Uh- Hey.”

 

“Hey” Alix responded “Sorry was I in your way? I was just chilling.”

 

”No worries I uh-“ Juleka started, before looking down and seeing a.. strangely familiar pink paper on the ground that she gingerly picked up “You dropped something.” She said, offering it towards her. 

 

”Huh? Shit- sorry Juleka. Thanks.” Alix said, walking over and plucking it out of her hands. Sighing over it.

 

”What is it?” She asked, raising an eyebrow at the skater’s down attitude. She wasn’t sure if she had the energy for a ‘therapy session’, especially as Juleka, but she was still concerned for her friend.  Alix glanced at her before she glowered at the ground, crossing her arms.

 

“A.. love letter..” The pink haired girl mumbled.

 

Juleka rose an eyebrow ”A love letter? You?”

 

”No!” Alix spat, looking away “Chloe’s, she dropped it during the party and I haven’t gotten a chance to give it back to her.. guess she has a crush on someone.. whoever it is must be a pretty lucky gal.. seeing how much work she put into it..” she muttered, kicking at the ground a little. Weird. Okay.

 

Juleka thought for a moment before motioning for Alix to hand it back to her again, as she curiously scanned her eyes over it, reading through the lines of long dialogue of love, appreciation, apologies, before halting at realizing—

 

Wait.

 

Juleka thought back to the hall and stared at the pink paper in her hands.

 

‘”Peachy.. I lost the rest of my letter..” Chloe huffed, though looking like she was going to cry too.’

 

NO FUCKING WAY. She internally screamed, feeling like she was just dropped to the beginning of the universe as she started to blank out.

 

WAITWAITWAIT— IS- OH MY GOD IT IS. TO ALIX- ALL THIS SHIT- OH MY GOD. CHLOE’S INTO ALIX WHAT THE SHIT. WHERE DID THAT COME FROM- BREATH JULEKA BREATH-

 

“Uh, Juleka you good?” Alix asked, Juleka sucked in an awkward breath and nodded- shoving it back into Alix’s hands.

 

”I think you should keep it. Safe keep it. Or something. Chloe might get all huffy if she sees you have it.” Juleka said, still processing a little as she felt dizzy and wobbly. “U-Uh see ya-“ Her voice cracked, as she stuttered off.

 

Alix just blinked “What the fuck?”

 

Juleka continued to gobble down the hallway, tired and sluggish before bumping into another smaller figure.

 

“S-Shit- Sorry I-“ Juleka’s cheeks flushed under her mask and she could feel her throat close up “Rose! H-Hi!”

 

Rose’s eyes widened before glimmering with relief as she threw her arms around Juleka’s waist and tightly hugged her, as if letting go would make Juleka disappear.

 

”Juleka! You’re okay!” Rose squeaked, “I couldn’t find you and I was terrified!”

 

Juleka felt a smile crawl across her lips before her face fell a little. She ran a hand through Rose’s soft blonde locks sadly.

 

”Weren’t you.. hanging out with Adam though?” She asked “I’d figure he’d be better company..”

 

Rose sprung away from her, looking genuinely offended before laughing goofily

 

”Adam is nice and all-“ She said “-But I love you a lot more, Jules”

 

Her shoulders fell, as she bit on her tongue. Apparently not enough, She thought bitterly before nodding at her.

 

”Right” Is all she was able to say, letting herself shyly smile “I’m quite party pooped, that akuma attack was scary..”

 

”She didn’t do much surprisingly.” Rose said, as they began to walk down the hall together, hands intertwined.

 

”Didnt do much to you, I heard Alix got hit and pretty much got Thanos Snapped, same with Kim and the Mayor.” Juleka said softly.

 

Watching as Rose’s face stretched and squished with emotion and thought, those baby blue eyes continuing to douse the toxic poison that burned in her chest. They were the sky that brought her out of the depths of the sea. As long as I can look at those eyes.. I’ll be okay..

 

”Oh yeah, they did” Rose giggled. “I guess I was lucky- were you okay?”

 

Juleka looked for a reasonable answer “Yeah, was just trying to hide. Got close a few times though so I had to run a little...”

 

The ride home felt longer than it was, and when Rose waved her goodbye, Juleka felt a chord in her chest snap a little as she waved and watched her car leave her vision, her hand falling at her side. But would I be happy?

 

Juleka wasn’t sure. But one thing was for certain.

 

The war for Rose’s heart was not over.

 

...

 

Marinette sighed for what felt like the millionth time in the last minute, taking down the last of her more ‘Fangirly’ posters of Adrien off her wall, though keeping one she took of the two of them this night. Posing goofily at the photo booth.

 

No looks of perfection, no fairy tale princelyness. Just two dorks, being dorks. And it felt.. better somehow. Than any emotion she had felt in her obsession for him. It felt like she actually gained a friend out of him, and it was nice. Still though-

 

She flopped onto her bed, staring up blankly at the ceiling and putting a hand over her heart. What were those feelings I had when I was dancing with Alya? I was just enjoying myself then, right?

 

Right?

 

Marinette was exhausted and Tikki had already snuggled in her own perch somewhere in the room, she could think about this tomorrow. And Panthera, what was up with her today? It was nice to see her better around the end, but still..

 

Craziest Not-Prom ever..

 

 

Notes:

This all could’ve been solved if Rose was like: I’m in love with someone else, my best friend, a Juleka Couffaine. You know her? Greatest person on the planet? Sorry Panthera-

But, you know, she didn’t. Rip.

Haha anyways—

Hello Chlolix~ Good job Chloe, you pulled a mother fucking Amity. Alix was who Chloe was referring to in Part One if that wasn’t obvious btw.

The “Best Friend Squad” connected to Princess Prom aka “Catrina” was definitely a She Ra Reference. Which is funny cause She Ra (like 2018 shera) exists in this universe, so this group of friends either hella kins that show or it’s just a scary coincidence,

Chapter 37: Prime Queen

Notes:

Warning: graphic/vivid/descriptive scene of a panic attack and some other bad things ahead.

Chapter Text

 

 

Juleka was so tired. She’s been tired for the last three days. She’s been tired her entire life. Just a big loaf of UGH. Yep, that was her.

 

It was hard to talk to Rose without a strained smile, and she found their interactions leaving her exhausted because of trying to take being ‘okay’.

 

It sucked. She loved hanging out with Rose. It brought her happiness. But she wasn’t sure how long she could handle dealing with the heaviness in her chest every time they spoke to eachother. She felt... numb.

 

You’re being dramatic.. A whisper in her mind hissed. Just own up to the fact that it was your fault you could ever expect her to love you back.. you selfish selfish little snake.. if Rose knew who you were..

 

Juleka hastily waved those thoughts away and lazily kicked her legs hanging off of the railing. She just wished she had never said anything back then at the party. Disaster.. she thought, as her hair pooled over her face. I want to just..

 

”Kitty?”

 

She sucked in a breath and slicked her locks out of her vision, smoothing it back as she stood up and gave Ladybug a wide catlike grin.

 

”Hey Partner,” Panthera purred, “What’s up? You hear about that neat power.. hour.. thing? We have to do some Hour Long interview or something tomorrow?”

 

Ladybug’s eyes knitted with concern before paling with horror ”Tomorrow?! WAIT IT’S TOMORROW!?”

 

Juleka’s hair fell back over her cheek and she felt a spike of fear go through her chest “W-Wait it’s tomorrow right?”

 

“IS IT?!”

 

After five minutes of checking their phones and multiple websites they figured out it was, in fact, the next day! Wow who knew. Marinette buried her face in her yo-yo.

 

”S-Shoot..! I have to babysit tomorrow!”

 

”Well good thing you remember today! You can reschedule?” Juleka offered weakly “Maybe get your best friend to cover?”

 

Marinette look up at Juleka with a soft smile “That’s a good idea, thank you.”

 

Juleka shrugged “I try my best, Partner.” She purred, tilting her head to the side. “Do you think it’ll be like Alya’s interviews?” She asked, tone shifting into hope and worry.

 

She really hoped it would be like Alya’s interviews. Alya was loud, and enthusiastic, but she also carried the face of a friend and now, someone she could relate to in terms of love. Alya was comfortable. Nadia Chamack was new. And unknown. And Juleka wasn’t sure if her energy could handle that just yet. Especially with..

 

Rose will be watching.

 

Juleka’s eyes thinned.

 

“I’m not sure, I-I mean I’m sure she’s a good reporter! But, no one could beat Alya!” Marinette smiled, looking off “She’s got a real talent with her words.”

 

”Yeah” Juleka nodded, letting her legs hang again off the railing “She does. It’s easy to talk around her.”

 

”Mhm” Marinette said, her silvery blue eyes shining with a sense of focus and brilliance from the lights of their city before them. She was only Juleka’s age, and despite her hiccups, despite her flaws, she glowed brighter than any star in the sky to The goth and bursted with more strength she ever knew possible,

 

“Hopefully tomorrow is good.” Ladybug added, leaning on her shoulder.

 

”Yeah” The cat hero murmured, letting a soft purr escape her chest as she leaned on Marinette’s head “Hopefully..” 

 

...

 

”So you’re in the drama club now..” Juleka murmured.

 

”That’s right.” Lila nodded as they walked down the sidewalk. The Italian girl’s heels clicking against the cement as she tossed a lock of hair over her shoulder as continued to scribble down in the small notepad.

 

She had been hanging out with the Italian girl more recently. Lila was an interesting person to talk with. Or at least listen to. Besides, Rose was busy with something today, leaving Lila and her to walk home.

 

”And how’d that happen?” Juleka asked carefully. As much as she was interested in Lila’s life however.. theatre wasn’t something she was expecting.. or well.. hoping. As she thought back to a certain Prince at the gala.

 

“This guy named Adam Charm-Something approached me at the gala. Told me he heard things about me..” Her green eyes rolling as she tapped a little impatiently on the page “..so basically he heard people talking shit about my lies.”

 

”That sucks..” Juleka mumbled, her eyes narrowing at the mention of the guy’s name.

 

Lila shrugged “Eh, what can you do. Adults suck, Kids suck, we all suck.” She said. “But anyways, he for some reason saw that as a—“

 

...

 

”-a talented thing really” Adam said, smiling a little. “The drama club could use someone who’s good at.. oh you know.. twisting up some fairy tales.. making believable palaces out of fantastical paragraphs and cathedrals of poetry that would make the audience crumple in the actor’s portrayal!”

 

Lila rose an eyebrow “If this is your weird way of hitting on me, I’m not interested.”

 

”It’s not, trust me, this prince has his own princess he is..” His eyes darted to the side as he seemed to catch something in the crowd. He hummed thoughtfully before glancing at her “..busy perusing.” He continued before nodding to himself and giving Lila a smile.

 

”Right..”

 

“But truly though, I’d appreciate it if you’d join. Our old script writer- I think his name was.. Arc Manciel? Or something? I dunno- but he left after some big debacle he didn’t want to get into, just couldn’t handle the showbiz. Which I guess is okay sense he’s new.” He waved off, before giving her a look.

 

”But.. it’d be nice to have a story for our next show.” Adam offered.

 

Lila was silent “I’ll think about it, Princey.”

 

...

 

”And so I did- and realizing I had nothing better to do- I joined” Lila said, waving the notebook around. “Feels nice to be busy with something at least.”

 

“Huh.”

 

“Yeah. But anyways- The drama club’s budget went up real high since the teacher somehow convinced Mr Damacoles that giving the kids an outlet could lower akuma rates, so honestly we could do whatever.” Lila said, tapping a pen on her lip “But because this is my first time writing and technically directing, I decided to just go for a simple fantasy love story. Those are always fun to write.”

 

”Wait..” Juleka paused, “Sorry if this sounds offensive or- wait don’t you not like romance or..”

 

”Take it as.. ‘I’m not hungry- and I don’t have any plans to eat- but I sure as hell like to cook’” Lila offered, “I don’t want any part in romance or whatever, but it’s fun to write it or watch. Everything that is is-“ She waved at Juleka “-yall. Y’all are hilarious to watch.”

 

”Ohhh” Juleka nodded with understanding. “Yeah I get it.”

 

”Or well- metaphorically, I don’t actually know how to cook in real life” Lila added, stopping to think. “Yeah I don’t actually know how to cook. The best I can do is like.. heating up Mac n cheese or something. And that’s depressing.”

 

Juleka chuckled “Guess that’s the next thing the class will drag you into learning.”

 

”I guess so..” Lila smiled, eyes narrowing at her notebook a little, grumbling a little.

 

”What’s wrong?”

 

”Nothing I just- ugh- I can’t figure out a villain for this..” Lila muttered under her breath as they traveled down towards the docks and she looked up at the might monstrosity that was The Liberty. She blinked. “You.. live on a boat?”

 

”You didn’t know?” Juleka tilted her head.

 

”..No.” Lila rose an eyebrow “I did not.”

 

Juleka clicked her tongue and awkwardly waved her arms at the boat “..I live on a houseboat!” She said, making jazz hands. “Surprise?”

 

”JULEKA! WHERE ARE YE LASS!?”

 

”Fuuuck..” Juleka gritted her teeth, looking up weakly “YEAH MA’?!”

 

”WHERE THE FECK IS THE BLOODY PLUNGER!?”

 

”WHY SHOULD I KNOW I JUS’ GOT BACK FROM SCHOOL!”

 

Anarka appeared on board, waving a sword around ”I NEED IT!”

 

Juleka didn’t make note of Lila who silently started to jot down into her notes as the two Couffaines continued to yell.

 

...

 

Things were supposed to work out- technically. Hopefully. But really Juleka should’ve expected such disaster from Public News. At least Ladybug was here? Right? Wrong.

 

She was late, she was always late. Miraculously Late. And Juleka had to decide whether or not she wanted to jump down from the metal scaffolding of the recording studio on the way too stiff looking couch, making awkward eye contact with Nadia Chamack.

 

Her tail lashed as she made an attempt at trying not to play with her zippers and hair too much because everything was just too much right now.

 

Her jacket felt a little too tight and when she tried to adjust it, it was just moving too much against her skin, her suit wrinkled uncomfortably in every way possible, her hair was just too distracting and touching too much of her, her lace was rubbing too much on her shoulders, she was pulling at her gloves- it was just- too- much.

 

But she had to come down eventually, she just wished it’d be with Ladybug.

 

Taking a deep breath, her eyes shined in the dark as she smoothed back her hair out of her face and dropped from the bars, plopping on the couch with a loud thump.

 

Nadia squawked, looking up from her tablet, nearly throwing it, and grinned at her with a sense of both shock and momentary awe.

 

”P-Panthera Noire!” Nadia said, immediately composing herself and looking at her to see if she was real. “You’re uh, you’re here, how did you get here?!” She wondered, glancing up around the ceiling and back at the cat.

 

Panthera shrugged, glancing at the food on the table and decided whether or not to make the move to take a drink. What if you finish? Where are you gonna out the bottle? She wondered, and decided not to take anything and gave a smile to Nadia.

 

”Uh, secret celebrity door.” She winked, glancing around “She’s late.” She commented

 

“O-Oh, are you two not arriving together?” Nadia asked

 

Juleka felt her hair fall a little on her face and made no attempt to fix it, just giving a low smile “She’s an independent busy bug. She’ll find her way.”

 

”HERE! I’M HERE!”

 

Juleka’s tail flicked as she looked around to see Ladybug stumbling through the doors, giving a thumbs up.

 

”A-Am I late? Sorry I just had plans, had to get someone to take over, tell her mom, and- whatever- I’m I’m here now!” Ladybug said in a flustered flurry of red.

 

”Hey Partner” Juleka purred, smiling as best she could as Ladybug plopped next to her. “Thought you had ditched me.”

 

Marinette let out a laugh and flicked Juleka’s bell collar.

 

”I’d never abandon you, Kitty” Marinette snorted, Nadia gave a weak laugh from the other chair- face twisting a little with fear as she her eyes glanced towards the figures in the recording booth thing and gave a thumbs up towards the two heroes.

 

”We’ll be on soon, are you two ready?” Nadia smiled as the counting down started and Juleka suddenly felt horribly small and suffocated.

 

”Mhm! Thanks for having us!” Marinette smiled

 

”Panthera?” Nadia glanced at her. It was at this moment Juleka knew she was fucked because of this single word. She’d have to answer to everything. This was going to be a long hour.

 

Don’t forget. Rose will be watching.

 

“Let’s not waste a second!” Panthera grinned.

 

“We’re rolling!”

 

...

 

From all of the brain scooping, Juleka realized at this point the difference between Alya’s interviews and well.. actual interviews.

 

When Juleka wanted to stop or move on from a question, Alya did! Though making a joke or comment about said thing, sure. But Nadia would grab onto that thing and wrangle it until Juleka wanted to internally throw up before they were finally allowed to move away from the question.

 

Asking ‘Are you sure?’ Or ‘Are you hiding something?’ Or even ‘Is there more to that answer?’ L-Like no! There isn’t! Leave Me alone! Juleka dug her nails deep into her thigh to relieve some of her bubbling stress.

 

Didnt help that there were literal callers too. And Juleka knew how those turned out. Chloe wasn’t as bad as she thought it’d be, but the many callers just asking for a date were.. uh.. staggering.

 

The only experience she had with interviews were the laid back ones with Alya, and the ones she watched of Jagged Stone. But like she said before, Alya was laid back and comfortable- while Jagged was just so much more experienced than her, willing to be weird and show his eccentricities to the public without crushing under the idea that people hate her.

 

Finishing up Alya’s very long video call as she and Manon waved goodbye on the stream, Juleka suppressed the hundredth sigh she would’ve made in the last ten or something minutes. When Alya had asked on call if they wanted to do an interview with her, part of her really wanted to say yes..

 

”We’ve officially hit the fifteenth minute mark!” Nadia said with a strained excited smile, as she continued to glance at the glowing band on her wrist before looking at them. I stand corrected. “How are you two doing so far?”

 

I want to throw up from the stress. Juleka thought, her stomach twisting as she glanced at the camera. Rose is watching. And probably is questioning why she ever liked you.

 

”We’re doing great! It’s fun to see all our bugs and kittens out there” Panthera winked at the camera, Marinette let out a chuckle and nodded

 

”Mhm! We’re glad you all have so much to say!” Ladybug said. Juleka’s worse nightmare at the moment would be Rose showing up on the screen. But luckily, the world decided to stall on destroying her for good as Nadia immediately jerked to them with a tense smile.

 

”I’m glad! W-well let’s put a pause on the fans and start asking about you two!” Nadia said, “Right, uh, so a lot of fans see you as very close partners? Is that correct?”

 

”I’d say so-“

 

”I’d protect Ladybug with my life” Juleka found herself saying. And that was the truth. It was the first thing she had said during this entire program that wasn’t her on autopilot where her responses were just fluffy nothingness caked under flirts.

 

”Panthera..”

 

Her claws stabbing into her leg sent a burning pain in her thigh that kept her barely awake. Juleka grimaced but couldn’t stop herself for once- the only reason she was here with Ladybug was because they wanted to reassure Paris that they were here to help, here to be heroes, here to be good- 

 

-but to be real. That wasn’t the truth for Juleka. For Juleka, it wasn’t about saving the city, saving the world- it was about saving the people she cared about, and so she’d speak for what the people needed to hear instead of the truth that was her selfishness.

 

“With Ladybug around, the day will always be saved, and we will find unmask Hawkmoth.” Juleka said, emerald eyes thin with focus as she mad eye contact with the camera. She could see some of the cameramen and woman shriveling a little under her intense gaze.

 

Somewhere in the city, Rose was watching, but somewhere in the city, so was Hawkmoth. And she hoped every drop of pain he had caused her could be felt as she stared at the camera. 

 

Nadia clicked her tongue, glancing at her watch which had started to glow a little more and back “Wow. Okay uhm- that really is wonderful, but moving back to the topic- your fans were wondering if you were not only partners in heroism but also partners.. in love?”

 

Juleka felt her stomach drop.

 

Oh so this is hell.

 

Okay. Cool.

 

Thanks God, thanks Jesus.

 

I knew y’all wouldn’t have let me off the hook.

 

She’s pretty sure she blacked out for a good minute as Marinette started and continued to ramble herself to pieces. Babbling on and on how there was nothing between them, while Juleka just felt like she was evaporating. Swallowed into a hell of tormented screaming in her mind. Juleka didn’t like this.

 

”..what do you two have to say about these photos then?!” Nadia asked, tapping at her iPad that The cat hero knew she had the power to snap in half to stop this horrible nightmare but couldn’t because everything was just too much and it left her locked in place.

 

Juleka forced herself to look up from her frozen and locked state and regretting it immediately as she found herself staring at a photo of Dark Cupid. Of when they- oh fuck.

 

”P-Pla-Platonic!” She barely was able to choke out, but it was so quiet. Barely audible. As Ladybug shouted frustratedly from her seat beside her.

 

Her nails dug into her sides as she realized she could barely talk, even if she wanted to. She was scared. Feeling suffocated. She wanted out. She wanted out. SHE WANTED-

 

”I-It’s out of context!” Ladybug shouted

 

”..s that mean you have someone else in mind? Guy? Girl? Please tell us, Panthera!”

 

Please stop. PLEASE STOP- She didn’t like this! She didn’t like being unable to do anything again.

 

Please tell us, Panthera! Please tell us, Panthera! Please tell us, Panthera!


No she didn’t want to! There was nothing! Nothing!

 

Please tell us, Panthera! Please tell us, Panthera! Please tell us, Panthera!

 

“Please, would you two please confirm whether or not you’re dating? As lesbians? Right now? Live?”

 

Maybe they got the memo that she was shakily shaking her head as the room continued to spin and the lights continued to blind her. Maybe she felt Marinette’s hand searching for hers to give it a worried squeeze but she was still struggling to even open her mouth.

 

”We aren’t!” Ladybug sputtered “This is a h-huge ivase? Invasion- invasion of our p-privacy!” 

 

“But you’re blushing!”

 

”From embarrassment because I’m h-highly uncomfortable!”

 

Her stomach was twisting and it only got worse as Nadia just kept talking and just kept talking and Ladybug just kept arguing and and and and—

 

“..akes sense, thanks to Panthera’s numerous series of flirtations with several female akuma and civilians!”

 

She’s right you selfish little- Juleka’s thoughts screamed as footage of her voice began to play in the background like the world was taunting her. Barely reaching her ears and the constant ringing just coincidentally made way for more pain.

 

Her eyes were still forced up, she realized, as she watched her own face spew these words of flirtation and fake love and attraction. Every moment felt like more poison dripping into her ears and lungs. Overwhelming her with more panic that continued to burn through every ashamed and terrified cell in her body.

 

Every moment of your ‘better self’, as Panthera, has been nothing but some sleazy cat! Flirting with every cute girl she sees! And you say you love Rose! YOU DON’T FUCKING DESERVE HER! Juleka couldn’t speak from the acidic burning in her throat and she could barely focus on anything as her clammy hands couldn’t even move to sign any words.

 

But Nadia just kept talking and just kept talking and just kept talking and just kept talking and just kept talking and just kept talking and just kept talking and just kept talking- and Juleka just felt like she- just felt- fuck fuck fuck-

 

“Panthera..?” Marinette’s voice barely reached her ears.

 

And don’t forget. Rose is watching.

 

Juleka’s eyes suddenly widened as suddenly the acidic burning that originally was just stinging in her stomach was now traveling- no no forcing- forcing its way up her throat.

 

Suddenly she shot to her feet, nearly dropping dead right there from the motion as the room around her continued to whirl and twist. Why did shit always go wrong when she wished it wouldn’t?

 

”I..” Juleka managed to choke out, voice shaking as she finally made Nadia stop- “I need to go throw up now.”

 

...

 

She wasn’t sure how she was able to make it to the recording studio’s bathroom. But by the time she somehow kicked the door down she was kneeling over the toilet, and vomiting all her fucking guts out like the anxiety filled heathen she was.

 

Hair pooling over her shoulders as her throat burned from the stomach acid from her stomach, it still felt like the room was spinning and soon enough, she felt someone’s soft hands lift her hair out of her face.

 

Juleka coughed into the toilet, feeling her throat itch from the pain as she weakly flushed it and looked up, to meet Marinette’s soft, gentle gaze as she held Juleka’s hair out of her face and then tucked it behind her ear with a weary smile.

 

There were no words spoken to one another. But Juleka still could feel the embarrassment and shame burning in her chest.

 

“..’at was..” Juleka rasped, coughing again as her throat continued to burn and the smell of her throw up made her nose wrinkle with disgust “..that was a disaster..” she mumbled, looking up at Marinette “..I’m sorry, I ruined that, for you..”

 

”For me? What do you mean ‘for me’. You- I- are you okay? You literally threw up I- I’m so sorry Panthera, I should’ve seen how uncomfortable you looked I was just so focused on what Nadia said I-“ Marinette said, tucking a lock of hair behind Juleka’s ear.

 

The cat girl grimaced, but felt a chord in her snap a little as she leaned into Marinette’s touch. A low weak purr radiating from her chest as a spread of comforting warm crept through her. Tears trickled at her eyes a little.

 

”Don’t apologize.. that sucked for you..” Juleka croaked, trying to look away “I’m just- I’m sorry I- I was trying to keep it together the entire time- I-“

 

”Panthera what are you talking about? It’s okay!” Marinette said, pulling Juleka’s face to look up at her and pressed their foreheads towards eachother “That was bad, it’s okay to hurt, I’m just sorry you had to suffer in silence like that.. you tell me when you’re uncomfortable okay?”

 

”I- Tried.. I couldn’t speak at all..” Juleka mumbled “I just- god I just want to go..”

 

”Do you want fresh air?” Marinette asked, her voice stabilizing and grounding. Firm but kind. 

 

Juleka nodded and so outside they went. The cat hero was still weakly clawing at her eyes, trying to wipe away any tears that were there.

 

Ladybug had somehow summoned a luckycharm, which was just a packet of mints which they laughed at, Juleka taking a few while Marinette shuffled off to recharge and returned to sit next to her on top of the building.

 

”Paris watched me run off like a coward..” Juleka mumbled “How humiliating..”

 

”But they also saw you get pressured and put into a stressful hole.” Marinette added, leaning on her shoulder. Juleka felt a rumble of purrs escape her throat as Marinette scrolled through her yo-yo. “People are getting frustrated at the studio for being so forceful on us. Oh- I think Theo leaked our ages. Yeah people are getting even madder about that. Total war.”

 

Juleka cringed, stomach dropping even more “Fuuck, I ruined everything..”

 

”No! No no you didn’t!” Marinette said quickly, putting a hand on her cheek as she shut her yo-yo off “Panthera its okay! It’s okay, you did good!”

 

Juleka just groaned, letting herself fall exhaustedly into Marinette’s shoulder. Her eyes were tired, she felt awful.

 

”I really am some sleazy alley cat.. who can’t even keep it in her pants..” Juleka mumbled “And I say I’m in love.. I should just give up..”

 

”No! No Panthera you’re not- Panthera! You can’t say that without tr-“

 

”I did try!” Juleka shouted, finding herself snapping over around three days of tension. Tears fell down her face as she found herself shaking. She hadn’t even told Luka what happened, she hadn’t told anyone what happened- She was tired, so tired. She just- she just-

 

“At the gala.. as Panthera.. I.. I tried to confess to her.. and I can’t even say; she just doesn’t know Panthera enough- she did! She said she did love me.. but, but not enough compared to who had her heart..” She whimpered.

 

”Panthera..” Marinette murmured, pulling her into a hug “I’m so sorry..”

 

”I’m just so tired, it’s hard to look at her at school without.. without..”

 

Marinette stroked through her locks “I know, I know Kitty..”

 

The two just sat there in the night. Before pulling away, Juleka sniffled, wiping away her tears,

 

”Thanks, partner. I’m just- it’s been a bad, few days..” She muttered, looking off at a billboard. “..maybe just a bad year, or sixteen..” Her chuckled. Her ears flattened against her head as she leaned on Marinette’s head “I’m just.. so tired.”

 

Marinette hummed quietly, combing her hair through her locks “You could talk to me you know”

 

”You don’t deserve that on your shoulders, I’m liked by the people sure, b-but.. I’m still odd. Weird. Not the hero they really.. want.” Juleka said, her words dry on her tongue.

 

The red hero was silent, just, thinking. ”What do you mean?”

 

”You’re the ideal.. everything. Bright eyed, kind, creation- a-and healing.” Her claws quivered as she spoke “I’m the dark brooding, out lesbian, goth one. W-Who has the ability.. to hurt.. and obliterate, everything and anything I touch..”

 

”I.. No..” Marinette shook her head in disbelief. Juleka shrugged.

 

”Who gets advertised more? Who’s the face of every ‘us’ related thing? Who does the press come to for questions?” Juleka asked a little harsher than she wished, before sighing “It- I mean- it’s okay. You saw how I reacted with these news anyways..”

 

Marinette’s eyebrows knitted together with thought. “Do you want to stick with Alya?”

 

”Huh?” Juleka’s ear twitched up

 

”Alya? Do you wanna stick with Alya as our sole reporter and interviewer? She didn’t make you freak out like this” Marinette offered. Juleka’s ears flattened against her head.

 

”But I don’t want people to be disappointed..”

 

”Do you want to go back to that recording studio?” Marinette rose an eyebrow. Juleka chuffed.

 

”..No.” She deadpanned. Never in a billion years. That was an awful fucking experience. She hadn’t actually puked from her literal anxiety in like, ever? Years? 

 

”Then done.” The red hero said, eyes shining in the soft golden lights of the Paris city “We stick with Alya. If people want the news about us, they could always just check the ladyblog. Besides, you know she’d love that.”

 

Juleka smiled softly “Yeah. She would.”

 

Marinette held up a pinky “Best friends and partners forever?”

 

Juleka laughed a little, tail twisting around as she linked their pinky fingers, “Forever.”

 

Marinette smiled softly before her grin turned mischievous and she gave a playful punch to Juleka’s shoulder ”By the way, did you mean it when yoo said you’d protect me with your life? You dork!”

 

A bloom of red flushed across the cat’s face ”Hey! I thought you’d think it’d be cute! Or noble!”

 

“It is! That’s why you’re a dork!”

 

The laughs and chatter were cut short however as suddenly the wide building scream flashed from just random commercials and ads to a wide shot of an almost alien face. Covered in a shiny blue visor, smooth red locks, the akuma’s robotic glowing eyes gleaming with excitement as she spoke-

 

“Welcome to a new show! Hosted by me! Prime Queen! Don’t bemused! It’s just the news!”

 

”Nadia!” They both gasped

 

Prime Queen let out a corrupted cackled, spinning around a long chord as she bounced backwards on the screen.

 

”Tonight; Ladybug and Panthera Noire all disappointed their loyal fans by refusing to admit their love for one another!” Prime Queen grinned. Juleka’s ears flattened as Marinette rubbed her shoulder comfortly as they glared back up at the screen. “And so, I’ve prepared some special games for us to play to test how far they’re willing to go to keep their secrets from us!”

 

The same side screen from before popped up, revealing Chloe on screen, who gasped and started to tremble away in fear.

 

They watched as Prime Queen reached through the tv and disappeared onto Chloe’s side- the tv screen glitched, and suddenly they were in the perspective of Chloe’s camera. As she was shown tied up and slung under Prime Queen’s shoulder.

 

”Let’s say hello to our first guest! Chloe Bourgeois who’s apparently close to our two superheroes!”

 

”WHAT THE- LET ME GO!“

 

”Well then, dear Chloé, let's find out if you really can count on them as true friends!”

 

”I-I- I mean I didn't specifically say we were-“

 

Prime Queen snapped a finger and the camera view suddenly changed again, to the inside of a subway car. Coming out of one of the screens, Prime Queen unceremoniously dropped Chloe to the ground.

 

Prime Queen disappeared into another camera, now piloting the subway train.

 

Welcome, to the subway of suspense! If it reaches seventy miles per hour, you can say goodbye to you precious little friend!” Prime Queen said, as the bar on the side began to grow more and more “Well, well, look here, the ratings are rising! More and more of you want to know if our superhero friends will get here on time. The suspense is killing her! Ladybug! Panthera Noire! Are you willing to travel through the screen to save your darling Chloé?

 

”Aw damn it! And she promised to actually pay me for her next therapy session!” Juleka cursed under her breath “We gotta go Partner!”

 

”What if it’s a trap?” Ladybug ssked

 

”Then we’ll find a way out of it, Partner. We always do” Juleka grinned, skipping backwards and then leaping forward across the street and straight into the tv portal.

 

Skidding across the new floor beneath her, Juleka felt her legs wobble unsteadily as the subway continued to speed across the tracks. Ladybug soon jumped in after her and she held onto the railings to ground herself.

 

”Ladybug! Panthera! You’re finally here! Help me!” Chloe barked, wiggling on the ground helplessly in the coils wrapped around her. “This is an underground nightmare!”

 

Juleka made her way over to cut her out of her rope only for Prime Queen herself to pull out of one of the screens.

 

You're about to be the stars of the highest rated show in all of TV history!” She cackled, waving her rating watch up.

 

”The Akuma is definitely in that watch!” Ladybug shouted

 

Juleka hissed, taking her claws and snapping the chords around Chloe, letting her drop to the floor as she and Ladybug immediately charged towards Nadia. The akuma disappeared in one of the screens as Juleka’s fist slammed into one of them, shattering it to pieces.

 

Moving to the door, Juleka jostled in to no avail, and when trying to move it more, pretty much ripped the door handle off entirely.

 

”Uhh..” She held it up weakly “..trapped?”

 

Prime Queen’s cackle interrupted whatever flabbergasted ‘are you kidding me’ thing Ladybug and Chloe were about to let out as she showed up on all of the screens on the train cart.

 

The rules for my show are simple, admit the truth live on TV that you're dating and in love and I'll stop the train!

 

”Damn it this isn’t a game you psychopath!” Juleka growled, claws clenching at her hips as she began to raise them up towards the glass. She was sick of this. “Catacl-“

 

”Panthera no! Not yet!” Ladybug shouted, “We might need it for an emergency!”

 

The train suddenly lurched forward even more. Chloe yelped, falling against the wall.

 

”YEAH! LIKE RIGHT NOW?!” The blonde shouted, growling as she pried off a gross piece of gum from her shirt.

 

Juleka stumbled away from the door, tempted to see if just kicking it down would work, when Ladybug pulled her down to her.

 

”We have to lure her over her first or we'll never capture her akuma! So let's just play along with her, at least it'll buy us some time!” Ladybug suggested in a low whisper.

 

”Meaning?”

 

Ladybug’s eyesbrows knitted together “Are you okay if I take the lead in this one?”

 

Juleka blinked and nodded “Always.”

 

Ladybug smiled gratefully as she steeled herself and grabbed Juleka’s hand, staring up at the screen.

 

”Okay Prime Queen, you win. I confess, Panthera Noire and I are dating, like you said. We are..” Marinette cringed as she lied through her teeth “..in.. love.”

 

The train was slammed to a stop, and the three girls were sent flying across the train cart.

 

”HAH! LOSER WE TOTALLY LIED!” Juleka cackled, kicking one of the doors down and throwing Chloe out onto the subway platform.

 

”DON’T MAN HANDLE ME!” Chloe squawked as the doors shut. Juleka shrugged. Eh.

 

”HOW DARE YOU DECEIVE YOUR VIEWERS!” Prime Queen roared, face burning with rage.

 

”Our viewers already know the truth, we said it before! We aren’t dating!” Ladybug gritted through her teeth as the train began to shoot forward again “The only one who can’t accept it is you!”

 

Prime Queen growled, before her face twisted deviously.

 

Is that so? Well, why don’t we ask your biggest fan?” Prime Queen said, moving away from the camera to reveal that she was no longer in the train. Juleka’s eyes widened at the sarcophagus behind the akuma, opening up to reveal a tied up Alya Cesaire.

 

Ladybug help!

 

”N-No! Alya!” Ladybug screamed, face paling under her mask in panic before growing dark with anger ““Let her go you motherf-“

 

Prime Queen just cackled, slamming the coffin shut over Alya’s face ”Next trial, your Miraculous! Or else your biggest fan will be mummified!”

 

The screen suddenly turned white and Ladybug wasted no time to leap through, eyes burning with anger. Juleka jumped after her. Shit shit shit—

 

Suddenly cold overwhelmed her and she fell onto the freezing temperature of the Grande Paris freezer.

 

”SHIT!” Juleka snarled, beginning to shiver as they looked up at the taped up TV inside.

 

”It was a trap!?” Marinette shouted, enraged, turning to the door and struggling to kick it open.

 

”I can use my power on it?” Juleka suggested, trying to calm the pissed off ladybug.

 

”There's no point! We're probably far away from the Louvre! By the time we get there it'll be too late to save Alya!” Marinette cried, spinning around at Juleka and tugging fearfully at her pigtails.

 

The time has come to push those ratings sky high! Let's try this again. Remove your Miraculous and reveal your true selves! The whole world is watching you!” Prime Queen’s voice pulled them back to the screen to watch as the akuma began to push the closes sarcophagus through a tv.

 

They both gasped as they saw on a separate screen that it was now hanging over the seine. Threatening to drop.

 

”You wouldn’t dare.!” Marinette growled, gripping tightly to her yo-yo.

 

Dont bother trying to escape! Unless you want you biggest fan in deep water..” Prime Queen said back, putting her pink heel on the coffin and slowly pushing it slowly more and more through the tv. “Hurry up, you two. Don't wanna keep your audience waiting!”

 

”Lucky Charm!” Marinette shouted, the freezer being swallowed by red light before a small tape dispenser fell into her hands. Juleka shuffled out of Marinette’s way as the ladybug hero went into a flurry of movement, opening up drawers and cubby’s, searching. But she was slowing, Juleka realized.

 

Puffs of cold were coming out from her and her determination was slowing. It’s the freezer. Juleka immediately yanked her jacket off and threw it over Marinette’s shoulders, and helped lift her sagging wrists up.

 

”Come on Partner! You’ve got this! We need to save Alya!” Juleka said, as they continued to search through before Marinette weakly grinned with glee, finding some pizza boxes.

 

”Yes!”

 

Juleka watched with pride as the plan came together, Marinette throwing pizzas around and taping the boxes together before attaching it to the screen. Blocking Prime Queen’s view.

 

WHAT THE-“ Prime Queen shouted on the other side.

 

”Fine, you win, Prime Queen.” Ladybug smiled as the two pressed their backs against the wall next to the tv “We'll remove our Miraculous. The whole world will see us without our masks!”

 

And We're about to kiss! Even got my jacket off for all my kitty fans!” Panthera added, tail flicking around.

 

”Everyone is watching, Prime Queen!” Ladybug said

 

”Except you!” The two shouted.

 

Prime Queen roared with rage as suddenly a fist smashed through the cardboard. Ladybug immediately grabbed onto her arm and slammed her against the floor of the freezer.

 

“I’ll go save Alya! You-“ Juleka cringed as Marinette began to punch reliving daylights out of Prime Queen “-you.. purify the akuma.. I’ll uhh- be back.” She glanced up at the screen “Uh- kids don’t look-“

 

...

 

After saving Alya, it was a relief Marinette hadn’t killed Prime Queen from the many welts and bruises and small squirts of what looked to be blood and oil on the broken visored Akuma.

 

”Take No Shit Ladybug.. is amazing.” Alya said breathlessly, as Marinette unceremoniously dropped the akuma on the ground and smashed her watch to pieces before turning to them and chuckling embarrassedly and spitting out some blood.

 

They decided a miraculous cure would be better to do first than seeing a very fucked up Nadia Chamack. Which like, yeah, they really didn’t want to see that. The miraculous cure as always, was heavenly, and the room flowed with soft warm red light as Marinette captured the akuma.

 

Juleka used the edge of her jacket to carefully wipe away a little bit more of the blood on Marinette’s cheek before opening the door once the cured Nadia had woken up from her daze.

 

They gasped in relief at exiting the freezer as Marinette sheepishly gave Juleka her jacket back, and soon, they all left.

 

But to be real, as cathartic as this was, today just honest to god sucked. And Juleka wanted to go home, so bad. However as she flipped her baton open she found over 20+ calls from Rose- she let herself stop and reluctantly answer.

 

Juleka!”

 

”Rose? Rose what’s up?” Juleka answered, a little nervously. Why would she call me so many times? Oh fuck I’m a bad friend for not answering..

 

”Did you see what happened? On tv?”

 

Juleka blinked. Oh. Uh. Oh fuck- make something up!

 

”No I didn’t, I turned everything off after the commercials started. Second hand embarrassment y-yknow? I just went to working on homework. What happened?” Juleka asked, she could hear a sigh of relief on the other side.

 

”Alya and Chloe got taken by Prime Queen. Aka Nadia Chamack. It was crazy” Rose said “But Panthera and Ladybug saved the day!” 

 

Juleka smiled softly, leaning softly against the wall “They always do..”

 

Yeah. I- Sorry for being so.. loud.. you weren’t answering and- I dunno-“ Juleka’s ear twitched as Rose’s voice lowered a little more “I- you’ve been a little off lately.. I.. was worried you weren’t answering cause you were angry at me or something..”

 

”W-What? No! No it’s- you- you’re super okay! I’ve just been really- yeah- really tired for a couple of days. Princess Prom was uh, a lot more draining than I thought it’d be.. crazy right?” Juleka said quickly, blushing a little in embarrassment and shame.

 

”..yeah.” Rose said “If there’s anything bothering you- I’m here, you know? I lo-“ Her voice paused a littler nervously, before speaking again “-I’ll see you tomorrow!”

 

Juleka smiled “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

She clicked her baton close and headed home.

 

 

Chapter 38: Glaciator

Chapter Text

 


Juleka did her best not to scrape her nails across the poor table. It didn’t deserve that. And Ms Bustier loved these tables. But she couldn’t help it.

 

Especially at what she was looking at and hearing right now from her seat at the back of the class, like this slow car crash in front of her eyes was some theatre performance, and she got one of those balcony seats. 

 

Which was kinda appropriate, considering who was here.

 

“Class, these are the members of the drama club.” Ms Bustier said, motioning the group of kids lined up neatly in front of the class. To be real, Juleka wanted to leave, class had ended five minutes ago after all, but who could say no to Ms Bustier?

 

Juleka recognized to be the art teacher from art club along with Aurore from both tv and well- Juleka flirted with her as Panthera that one time so.. yeah she was with some of the students as well.

 

Ms Bustier continued- “Mr Monet, the art teacher and supervisor for both the art club and the dra—“

 

“I’ll take it from here, Madame.” Adam said smoothly, stepping in front of the room and giving his sleeves a quick flick.

 

His aura demanded everyone’s attention, posture high, eyes shining, gestures alluring- and the glittery makeup that seemed to always paint his all too pretty face drawing everyone to stare in some form of awe. 

 

Especially the girl next to Juleka. A delighted smile went across Rose’s face and it made something in Juleka’s stomach twist. Adam gave Lila a look and she huffed, standing up from her seat and slinking to the other drama students like it was a punishment, as Adam just made a smile.

 

”We the drama club will be producing a new play. Which has been co directed and written by your own Lila Rossi-“ Adam said, waving a hand at Lila who just tsked and looked away with an eye roll. “-However we are in need of some more staff as you can see-“

 

He was right, there were only about eight kids standing with him including Lila and Himself. Which Juleka figured would be enough for any other play, however she had been around to listen to Lila ramble a little about her plot and there was definitely a lot more than just ten people could handle.

 

“So-“ Lila said, taking over with a look of increasing regret going across her features as she looked down at her notebook, trying not to make eye contact “-We figured we could ask you guys for some volunteers?” She flicked some hair “Princey here unfortunately got his  Nino’s horror film and saw that as.. eh.. potential.”

 

Nino and Mylene pretty much beamed from the praise in their own seats while Adam nodded, flicking his hair back.

 

”Exactly.” He said, smiling as he began to walk across the steps passing around pamphlets with a sense of grace Juleka couldn’t hope to match as he stopped at the back, reaching Rose and her’s table.

 

Juleka stared up at him. This was the first time they had seen eachother since Princess Prom. The first time since their last spoken interaction was the Prince of the Drama Club saying-

 

“You reek the smell of indifference and cowardice” Adam said, as if reading some fantastical script “Your her best friend, so get used to the sight of me.” He took the second cup in Juleka’s hand and started to walk past her “This fairy tale between me and Rose.. has no space.. for a girl like you..”

 

Yeah, she wasn’t happy to see him. However Adam was better at masking his own emotions, as he simply gave a polite smile and handed Rose a pamphlet and began to turn away. However the look in his eyes as he glanced back at her one time spoke volumes to her. Volumes only the two would understand..

 

’We are rivals.’ Adam seemed to speak, his back turned to her in some silent form of oozing pride, of looking down on her. It angered her and made her blood boil. ‘And I’m going to win.’

 

We’ll see about that.. Juleka thought.

 

”Ah! Adam! You forget to give Juleka a pamphlet!” Rose spoke up, her voice forcing him to turn around. Juleka’s eyebrow pricked up.

 

”Hm? Oh, my apologies.” Adam said, though his voice had a silent layer of apathy. The smile on his face didn’t meet his eyes and they started to Juleka “Unfortunately, that was the last of mine.” He said, waving his empty hands.

 

Juleka glanced to see Nathaniel holding and looking through his own silently as kids began to filter out of the room. Her eyes narrowed back to Adam. You definitely meant it.. she thought.

 

”I suppose it’s fine though, you don’t look like someone who’d want to go on stage.” Adam said with a little shrug, flicking his hair “I’ve got the eyes of theatre, I can tell.”

 

Juleka forced herself not the snap her pencil but took in a careful breath as Rose’s eyes narrowed before softening and looking to Juleka.

 

”Well that’s okay, we’ll share then, is that okay with you Juleka?” Rose asked, passing her own pamphlet to Juleka. The goth girl blinked, letting the paper slide into her fingertips as she gazed over it.

 

Try outs, a basic summary of a love story between a Prince and Princess, and the Pirate King who planned to capture her and make her his bride instead, a few low bar requirements and plead for volunteers and help. It was decently edited, looks like they used google slides or something and then printed it, and there was a small layer of glitter on it too.

 

Juleka looked back up at Adam, and felt something in her mind tick a little as she saw his mask slip. A small flicker of frustration going across his features as she held it in her claws. And so, she gave her softest but most toothy smile.

 

”Yeah, actually I might audition.” Juleka said carefully, glaring into her Adam’s eyes as she stood up from her chair and looked down at him. “Maybe I’ll get a role.”

 

”Really? Ooh we can both audition then! Get something together!” Rose grinned, Juleka let out a soft laugh as she continued to stare at Adam, who had begin to walk away with a slight huff that didn’t seem to reach anyone but her own ears.

 

”Yeah.. that would be cool..” Juleka murmured, looking at Rose with a smile “You’d make a wonderful princess” she said

 

”You think so?” Rose asked as they began to make their own way down the steps, Juleka gripping tightly to the paper in her hands. Juleka nodded, making one last glance at Adam as he stared out the window silently.

 

”Yeah.. without a doubt..” Juleka said, smiling down at Rose’s beaming face. “Let’s go get something to eat, shall we?”

 

Rose took Juleka’s hand in hers, making her blush a little as the blonde girl led her out

 

”Okay!”

 

...

 

Adam stood in the classroom, silently thinking as they left. Lila rose an eyebrow at him, beginning to make her way out the room along with the others. His eyes were focused darkly on his reflection.

 

”So like, are you just going to sulk there for the rest of the day or..”

 

”A war has started” Adam muttered under his breath, gripping tightly to the spare pamphlet he had in his hand, his face fell with sadness as he let it fall from his side “A war with my heart on my line..” 

 

Lila just stared at him, confusedly. “Okay- fucking- drama queen.” She muttered, rolling her eyes and turning the lights off on him.

 

”W-W-HEY!”

 

...

 

”Pound it!”

 

Juleka smiled as she fist bumped Marinette.

 

To be real, Juleka forgot that akumas weren’t the only thing to watch out for as a superhero. Other things like robberies, mugging, and bus crashes- which she and Ladybug had just stopped- were her responsibility too now.

 

It made her feel like a real superhero, and not just some worker in an akuma clean up crew. However that moment of adrenaline and work faded as she headed home, feeling the sky begin to crew yellow with the colors of the Parisian sunset- as she slipped back inside her room and detransformed.

 

Juleka stared at the slip in her hands, night was slowly teetering over the horizon and she was having an internal mental screaming session about what she had down a few hours ago.

 

She covered her face. God I’m such a fucking dumbass! Audition?! Me? What the hell Juleka! I was getting competitive! Over a girl who you’ve already pretty much lost! As if! You were just trying to one up Princey Boy!

 

Juleka let out a groan, leaning back on her bed. I don’t want to do this. But I do. But I really don’t and will regret this later. But- but I love Rose. And if anyone can beat me for her, it’s that little glitter twink Disney prince.

 

She stared at the pamphlet again and pursed her lips. I’ve already tried with Panthera, what’s the point..

 

Suddenly her phone buzzed and she stared in confusion at Ladybug’s Phone ID. Looking around, she quickly transformed and hobbled onto a different rooftop, flipping her baton open and answering it.

 

”Hey Bug, what’s up?”

 

”Lets go on a date. Right now.”

 

*Record Scratch-*

 

What?

 

”I’m sorry what?”

 

...

 

”So..”

 

”Yeah.”

 

Juleka just stared at Marinette-

 

”You were.. desperate to be in love again.. cause you got over Adrien- and so after listening to an ice cream man- who declared we were magic.. icecream.. soulmates..” Juleka’s face screwed as she tried to understand her own words coming out of her mouth as she turned to Ladybug “..you asked me on a date?”

 

Marinette sighed, growing red with embarrassment under her mask. The soft red candlelight of the hastily decorated rooftop didn’t help at all. Though it was beautiful, to say the least.

 

”Right on the money.” Marinette said, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear shyly.

 

Juleka clicked her tongue, processing “Dang.”

 

”I’m so sorry, Panthera- I- I know how to feel about love, especially with your crush- and- god I really blew it today, I’m sorry..” Marinette said, her face falling into her hands as she slumped down onto one of the blankets she had laid out. Juleka blinked, tail twitching.

 

”Well-“ Juleka started, sitting down next to Marinette and giving her a playful bump on the shoulder, plucking a slice of cake from one of the small little plates and taking a bite out of it. Her eyes rolled back a little from that delectable taste and gave Marinette a smile. “-I’m here, there’s pastries, it’s a nice night. We’re basically just hanging out anyways so it’s okay.”

 

”But..” Marinette just sighed staring at the flickering candlelight “I just- Andre he- he made it this big deal about how you were my love.. I could twist it to imagine the colors to be someone else I guess, but you really were the first person to pop into my mind..”

 

”Who is this Andre guy anyway?” Juleka asked, taking another bite as she tried to distract herself from the slightly twisting emotions inside her chest.

 

”You don’t know him?” Marinette asked, shaking her head “He’s this mysterious traveling ice cream guy, makes little ice creams for couples or just people in general that represents their love for one another? Or supposed love? He went on and on about how if I ate it my love would appear.. I don’t believe it but well, he sure did.”

 

Juleka’s eyebrow rose a little higher. That did seem like bullshit honestly. Like okay yeah she had that photo curse but literal magic icecream? Ehhh-

 

”So what happened?” She asked, wanting to hear more. Now thinking about it, she probably got some text about this on the class group chat but she probably ignored it for a reason.

 

”I was refusing, he kept on pushing for me to try, he asked me if the scoop looked familiar and well..” Marinette sighed “Alya got mad at Andre for pressuring me, he offered her, she refused. He got all sad and even more pushy- It just sucked..”

 

”What made you think of me?”

 

Marinette took her own fork and took her own bite of Juleka’s pastry, sucking on her fork a little grumpily.

 

”The ice cream he made? Is supposed to look like my soulmate?” Marinette said, screwing her face “Black Berry, Mint, and Squid Ink.”

 

”Squid ink huh, ew.” Juleka’s eyes narrowed a little “Why would someone eat squid ink?”

 

”I dunno, didn’t try it!” Marinette said, groaning as she laid back on the blanket. Juleka laughed.

 

Now that I think about it.. I have heard of Andres. I saw Alix get icecream there once.. Juleka thought. It was.. lemonade, blackberry, and I think.. blueberry? I don’t know why I remembered that but.. She decided to focus back on Marinette who had continued talking.

 

“I just- I don’t.. romantically. Like you, Panthera.” Marinette sighed “And I don’t want to force myself to like you that way either cause, well, I know you don’t either! And yet..”

 

”So you say you don’t believe the ice cream guy, yet you’re still worried about the ice cream.” Juleka rolled her eyes “He sells soulmate ice cream right?”

 

”Yeah?”

 

”Well hypothetically, if he was magic, maybe he feels the literal cat and ladybug miraculous soul mate bond between us?” Juleka suggested. Marinette’s eyes blinked with thought, considering it. “It’s just a possibility of course, or at least my theory. Seems like baloney to me either way.”

 

She placed her lemon cake down next to her and flopped onto her back. A smile gracing her face as she gave Marinette a playful smile.

 

”I don’t want to love you in the way he wants me to love you, and you don’t love me the way he wants you to love me either, but I would like to spend the rest of my life with you, as friends that is..” Juleka said, trailing off a little “..You’re cool, and you amaze me all the time. You’re kindness truly is inspiring. I’m glad you’re my friend. And I do love you. I just wish Andre could see we don’t have to be ‘in love’ for that to be possible.”

 

”Me too” Marinette said quietly “I- Jeez it’s been kinda an egh day so far.”

 

”You’re telling me.” Juleka muttered

 

”Something happen at school?” Marinette asked curiously, sitting up. Juleka hummed.

 

”Nah, it’s just been a long day.” She lied tiredly, before her eyes narrowed “Sorry I’m still hung up on this Andre guy, I don’t like how pushy he was too you about his dumb ice cream. It’s just ice cream! We’re soulmates! We don’t need to kiss and make out to prove that! We are completely fine with being platonic!”

 

Marinette laughed, leaning on her elbow “Yeah!”

 

Juleka’s thoughts trailed to Lila as she began to jump around onto the railing “And like, what about people who don’t like anyone at all? What would they get? Vanilla? That’s fucked. Platonic soul mate ice cream! So no ones left out! Ice cream for everyone then! That’s just basic business!”

 

Marinette fell into more laughing as Juleka waved her claws around goofily “Yeah- I think if he was selling platonic ice cream, I would’ve taken to believing his magic more.”

 

Juleka blinked, smiling shyly from the ledge “Really?”

 

”Of course, Panthera Noire. You’re my friend.” Marinette smiled. Juleka felt a grin stretch across her face, a spread of warmth flooding her chest. Feeling.. appreciated. Who knew a Friendzone could feel so good.

 

”Aw, Partner..” Juleka smiled, before ruffling her hair “You’re such a dork!”

 

Their conversation about platonic soulmates was cut short as a laugh echoed through the Paris air. Juleka’s ear twitched as the two stared off through the street as a two story tall LITERAL Ice Cream Man stomped down the streets of Paris.

 

I'm Glaciator, the mean ice-cream man. Escape my fury if you can! I melt your hearts, but I was wrong, now I'll freeze your bodies so long!~

 

Oh yeah. This was going to be a long night.

 

”Is that the icecream guy?” Juleka asked

 

”Yeah..” Ladybug said “Man I feel like a jerk..”

 

For the blogger and Marinette, I shall serve them some frozen treats they shall never forget!~” Glaciator roared, stomping through the streets

 

”That was a forced rhyme..” Juleka muttered under her breath.

 

”Alya!” Ladybug realized “Come on! We’ve got to find Alya before her finds her!”

 

The two heroes darted across the roof tops, leaving the candles behind them to wisp alone in the moonlight.

 

...

 

Lila sneezed, looking outside to see a giant Italian ice cream snowman barreling down the street and screaming about love. She clicked her tongue and turned her music on louder. She wasn’t dealing with this shit tonight.

 

...

 

”There you are! Little blogger girl! Come to me quickly now, and let the truth of your love-ah unfurl!”

 

“Get away from her!”

 

Juleka swooped downwards and scooped a scarfed up and camera ready Alya behind a toppled car for cover as Ladybug unleashed her yo-yo on a shocked Glaciator, pretty much slicing his face diagonally in half.

 

Juleka covered Alya’s mouth despite her muffled frustration as she watched Glaciator’s face fall on the ground with a loud disgusting and sloppy melted squish. Before it slowly slunk back into his foot, and the icecream suddenly built his face again.

 

”Gross.. no ones eating that.” Juleka muttered, before yelping as she felt a tongue lick into her palm, she turned around in surprise as Alya finally pried her now spit covered palm off with a huff.

 

”..finally! I was trying to tell you something!” Alya barked.

 

”Lois Lane, good to see you again” Juleka said, pulling Alya to her feet as she blocked an icecream cone hurling their way as Ladybug pretty much let out all her frustration on the ice cream man “You should get to shelter”

 

”It’s important though, this guy, Glaciator-“ Alya pointed upwards at the akuma “He’s been leaving alone couples this entire time! Purposefully will turn away from them and everything.”

 

Juleka rubbed her chin “That is curious..”

 

Ladybug suddenly was sent barreling into the ground beside them, standing up in a huff. Her eyes then traveled to Alya and planted her hands on her shoulder.

 

”Alya you need to run, it isn’t safe here!” Marinette said firmly

 

”No way, I’m up close for this!” Alya said, waving her phone around “Gotta catch what I can for the Ladyblog!”

 

”Alya he’s after you and Marinette we can’t let you-“

 

”Wait he’s after Mari?! No way in hell is he touching a hair on her head!” Alya’s eyes narrowed with rage, immediately shoving her phone in her pocket and beginning to stomp off “MARI!”

 

”Alya where are you going?!” Marinette sputtered

 

“I need to go see if she’s okay!” She barked back

 

Juleka’s ears flattened against her head as she pointed up at Glaciator wHO WAS STILL RIGHT THERE-

 

“ALYA LOOK OUT!” She shouted- as a blur of red shot forward as Glaciator lifted up his icy foot to stomp on an all too focused on the road in front of her Alya- before Ladybug tackled Alya and rolled her across the street.

 

Buying them some time, Juleka extended her bat outwards and swiped it across Glaciator’s goopy arm, watching as it fell in a heap of ice cream onto the ground, before she left onto a lamp post- snarling.

 

”Hey ugly! You like ice cream? Well why don’t you eat this—!” Juleka leapt forward and dug her claws into his cold face and steered him around into the many street lamps, watching as bits of his ice cream began to melt and drip unsteadily before she jumped off of him as he stumbled and fell onto his face.

 

Her eyes darted around as she shook the sticky substances off. Where could the akuma be? She wondered.

 

Her baton suddenly vibrated as she looked down, her face falling as she saw a singular text and slowly and begrudgingly turned around to the spot where Alya and Marinette once were, finding it empty.

 

Juleka groaned seriously? She thought, before thinking about Princess Prom- about Alya’s hesitant tears as the blogger unsubtly described her totally hypothetical crush on someone who was too distracted to see what was in front of her- 

 

“The things I do for my friends..” Juleka chuckled, looking up as Glaciator began to reform and glare down at her. “Alright, let’s see what you’re made of Panthera Noire..”

 

She supposed she could handle being bait a little longer. For her friends.

 

...

 

”Are you okay?”

 

Alya’s eyes fluttered open widely as Ladybug’s silvery blue eyes met hers. Despite the chilling cold that was traveling through her flannel that she swore was warm enough usually for this kind of weather, she started to feel a traveling heat to across her cheeks.

 

”Y-Yeah! Ga- Great! Great!” Alya grinned, looking up at their position. Ladybug’s dark locks fluffing around her face as her hands were planted besides her. Hooooly shit Marinette wasn’t going to believe her. Wait- Marinette- “Marinette! I need to-“

 

”She’ll be okay! I need to get you home, Alya!” Ladybug said, glancing backwards as Panthera Noire busied herself with dealing with the akuma, tapping on her open yo-yo that Alya’s eyes widened with interest in before closing it and facing Alya.

 

The red hero scooped Alya like she weight nothing into her arms and hopping to her feet. Alya blinked, wrapping her arms around Ladybug’s neck for support as Ladybug gave a soft familiar smile.

 

“Hold on tight okay?”

 

Alya grinned “H-Hell yeah!”

 

Now look, Alya Cesaire was the ladyblogger.

 

She was used to being thrown around like a rag doll during akuma attacks, usually because she was some sort of hostage. The Pharaoh being the biggest example. That was a crazy day.

 

But as Ladybug held her tightly as if she was the most important thing in the world as she extended that incredible yo-yo out and swung forward-

 

Alya really did feel like she was breathing in light.

 

Now let’s be real here, who didn’t have a crush on Ladybug? She had one, Adrien had one, Chloe definitely had one, and Alya was an ecstatic LadyNoire shipper so of course she’d claim that Panthera had one too- look- the list goes on.

 

But she couldn’t ever be in love with Ladybug. As fabulous as Alya Cesaire knew she was, the superhero was way out of her league, and was more fun to admire from a wonderful distance.

 

She knew if she was ‘in love’ with Ladybug, she’d still be missing out on her flaws, her faults, the imperfections that made people beautiful and real- those things Ladybug no doubt hid from the public. From the point of where Alya stood. 

 

She wouldn’t be in love with a person, she’d be in love with an image. And Alya didn’t have the time to fret her heart over something she knew wouldn’t end well for her overbearing emotions.

 

That’s one of the reasons why she knew she loved Marinette more. That girl was nuts. And definitely a bit of a weirdo on her own. Girl had the backbone of a stuffed animal, couldn’t say no at all. Real foot in mouth syndrome, with a cherry on top of major two left feet disorder and the ability to be late and flakey to any preplanned thing. She could get jealous, and petty.

 

And that was okay. Cause Marinette was also the kindest and most determined person Alya ever knew. Who despite her frazzled brain, had incredible grades and a mind quick as a whip. A heart of a hero, seeking to help those who maybe didn’t deserve it. Ready to throw the whole world on her back just to see someone smile.

 

Her eyes sparkled with a hidden brilliance that made the way she put her thumb with thought even more cuter. She was Someone who Alya got, and she was someone who got Alya.

 

Alya would just simply do anything for that girl.

 

But still- being bridal carried through the city by Ladybug wAS STILL PRETTY FUCKING SWEET.

 

The lights of the passing by building glimmered across Alya’s vision as her glasses pressed against their face. She could feel her breath leave and fall back into her body as Ladybug swung onto a building and began to hop along the roof tops at an inhuman feat of strength.

 

And yet she was holding back for Alya, knowing she didn’t want her to get hurt, holding Alya as if she was the world. It made Alya feel on cloud nine really.

 

”Hey so you remember Prime Queen?” Ladybug spoke up, Alya blinked out of her amazed staring.

 

”Uh yeah? Almost got thrown into the seine in a coffin.” Alya recounted with a snort, before remembering how.. just.. mad Ladybug was to see her.. in danger. Alya blinked at that thought but shook it off quickly “U-Uh, why?”

 

”Well.. it was kinda a disaster,” Ladybug as, pausing for a moment on a building to look around, Alya made a silent gesture to the right towards the street she knew lead to her house and Ladybug followed suite “So me and Panthera decided to make you our main.. I guess interviewer and reporter? If that’s okay with you.”

 

Was this a dream? Please wake her up if this was a dream.

 

”M-Me? For you guys?” Alya sputtered with surprise

 

”Well yeah, why not you?” Ladybug tilted her head curiously as she dropped onto Alya’s house balcony, setting the girl onto it gently and bending on the bars like an almost nervous creature.

 

Her eyes were softly shining in the darkness of the soft Parisian night. The soft golden glow of the inside of Alya’s house illuminating the side of her face.

 

“You’re my favorite reporter after all.” Ladybug smiled, Alya blinked a little to process that as Ladybug then turned a little pink. “U-Uh- I mean- Our! Our favorite- Me and Panthera’s!” Ladybug sputtered “Panthera and I- we both see you as- our favorite..”

 

Alya let out a stream of laughter. The graceful, symbol of peace and heroics, Ladybug- serious yet uplifting to the public, reduced to flustered sputters at the simple slip of the tongue. Alya adjusted her glasses and gave a soft smile as her giggles ended.

 

Ladybug’s cheeks were puffed out in frustration, but she just ended up looking cuter.

 

”Right, you and Panthera’s” Alya smiled “Speaking of which, what about that Akuma?” She asked, not so curiously, as a roar from the forgotten Glaciator radiated between them

 

”AH SHI- SHOOT! I LEFT PANTHERA WITH GLACIATOR! I’LL BE BACK! GLAD YOU’E SAFE! B-BYE ALYA!” Ladybug squawked, swinging off. Alya blinked with surprise before smiling.

 

”Back huh? I look forward to that, Ladybug” Alya said softly, leaning on her elbow.

 

...

 

”Im going to take the longest shower on earth after this.” Juleka deadpanned, “I feel so sticky from all this ice cream.. bleh..”

 

She had just finished trying to destroy Glaciator for what felt like the fifteenth time in the last five minutes. It was good she had decided to refrain from using her cataclysm before too. She wasn’t sure if it’d work on, well, ice cream. Especially when Juleka had early on figured out—

 

“Sorry I’m late!”

 

”Was your date with Alya fun?” Juleka asked, snorting at Ladybug’s glare directed at her “Right right- anyhoo- I figured out a few things while you were galavanting with Lois Lane- ow! Hey- no poking my side! Hey-!”

 

—that Andre was inside Glaciator. Like. Inside inside. Like he was piloting the monster like some kind of ice cream glob mech.

 

”I still can’t figure out where his akuma is though.. it has to be inside him though, right?” Juleka asked, as they hid behind a wall.

 

”Right, I think it’s his.. his.. oh what’s it.. The ice-cream seems to fire out of his hand, and before André was akumatized, he served his ice-cream using a-a whatcha-ma-call-it!” Marinette waved her hands, reaching for the right word-

 

“An.. Ice cream scooper?”

 

”Thats the thing!” Ladybug smiled, snapping a finger before throwing up her yo-yo up “Lucky charm!”

 

Falling into her hands was a small biker helmet.

 

”Going for a ride, Partner?” Juleka smiled.

 

Ladybug’s eyes darted around, searching, before falling on Juleka with a growing smile.

 

”You got it?” Juleka asked

 

”Yep!” Marinette beamed, pointing around the square “I need you to attach those three signposts to your pole. We're gonna make a propeller!”

 

”Knew you could do it, Partner.” Juleka said, jumping to her feet and running to do so.

 

Breaking the three posts off, she jammed her stick into its place and scrambled to the bench Marinette was dragging a motor cycle to, putting the biker helmet on. Juleka peeked her head over the bus they were hiding behind and saw Glaciator struggling against Ladybug’s yo-yo. They didn’t have much time.

 

“Safety first?” Juleka quipped

 

”Yep! On my mark okay?” Ladybug said, tying Juleka’s belt around her extended baton to the bike. Juleka nodded and put her hand on the bus’s side. “Now!”

 

CATACLYSM!”

 

The bus broke into a wave of ash as Ladybug revved up the motorcycle, the loud vrring sound humming through Juleka’s ears as she watched the makeshift propeller blast a wave of air towards the tied up ice cream man. He roared with anger, as his ice cream slowly flew off of him.

 

”Step on it!” Juleka hissed, as Glaciator struggled against the wire, only to slack as all of the ice cream flew off, leaving a tied up Andre The Ice Cream Guy to hang between the two lampposts.

 

Marinette hopped off her bike and they ran over. Juleka ripped the ice cream scooper out of his hand and tossed it over to Ladybug who untied her yo-yo to purify the now freed akuma.

 

”Miraculous Ladybug!”

 

That was better.

 

Juleka smiled as the streets were flooded with the glowing waters of red fluttering wings- before she yelped as she was enrolled in a crushing hug with Marinette by Mr Andre himself.

 

”Oh how wonderful!” Andre squealed, shaking them around much to Juleka’s discomfort as she tried to weasel out of his squeezing hug. “I have been saved by two love birds!”

 

Juleka blinked, giving Marinette a soft laugh as they faced him again

 

“More like.. two good friends.” Marinette smiled

 

”Habe you thought about platonic soulmate ice cream?”

 

Andre tilted his head in interest.

 

...

 

Convincing a (potentially magic) ice cream man that soulmate ice cream should share both romantic and platonic bonds and flavors was a lot easier than Marinette thought it would be in the span of less than five minutes.

 

So you know what? She was feeling good about getting some ice cream today.

 

A smile brightened across her face as she neared the small vendor and Andre pretty much glowed with happiness when he saw her.

 

”Ah! Sweet Marinette!” Andre greeted “Can I offer you some ice-cream? A-Ah, to eat this time?”

 

Marinette giggled “Of course! How else would I know if your ice-cream is really the best in Paris?”

 

”Do you still think it doesn't lock two loves together?” He asked curiously

 

”Well.. never say never I suppose!” Marinette said with a shrug 

 

Andre smiled, leaning over his cart and took a glance at her. His eyes twinkled and he began to scoop into it-

 

“Red velvet for their hair, and caramel for their eyes- I hope the time you spend together makes your heart fly high!” Andre said jovially, handing her the new ice cream cone. Marinette blinked with surprise but took it with a smile.

 

”A new kind?”

 

”The heroes have inspired me!” Andre admitted “The flavors of love and connection have become even more wide spread for me! Giving me more options to give to people!”

 

Marinette gave the ice cream a lick, it was amazing! Making her eyes roll back a little with its amazing taste. 

 

“It’s delicious!” She exclaimed with glee, staring up at him with shining eyes.

 

”I’m glad!” Andre grinned

 

”Have a good day Andre!” Marinette waved, walking away with a new pep in her step.

 

However just seconds later, a new face wandered her way up the steps of the bridge towards the ice cream man.

 

”Heya Andre!” Alya waved with a polite grin

 

”Ah! Hello Little Miss!” Andre waved to her with a beaming smile. “You justa missed Marinette!”

 

“Oh! I guess I’ll catch up.” Alya decided, seeing her best friend leave the end of the bridge, before looking up at him “Can I get a scoop, ice cream man? Had the sudden urge all of the sudden and saw you were near by!”

 

”Haha! Indeed you may!” Andre said, he glanced backwards towards the end of the bridge before busying himself

 

”Now be honest with me, is your ice cream really magical?” Alya asked curiously as he thought about his options, he gave her a smile.

 

”What do you think?” He asked mysteriously. Alya rose an eyebrow, putting her finger to her lip to think before shrugging casually.

 

”I guess I could go down a rabbit hole of trying to figure out your mysteries and secrets, or I can just be happy with what I get and have fun with just believing?” Alya guessed

 

”Spot on!” Andre smiled, finally making his decision “Strawberry with black chocolate chip! Blackberries for their hair, and blueberry ice-cream just like their sky blue stare!”

 

”And this love is true?” Alya asked skeptically as she took it from her hands with a growing shy smile.

 

”I can see it clear as day!” Andre declared “Besides, who knows if it’s platonic or not, only me and the costumer! I’ve got looaaads of options now haha!”

 

Alya laughed, gazing upon the little icecream and back “Have a good day sir! Thank you!”

 

He waved goodbye to her as she skipped after Marinette, distantly hearing their new chatter and laughter.

 

”Like I said, Marinette!” He smiled to himself “Andre’s Ice Cream always brings love together!”

 

And hey, maybe it would.

 

 

Chapter 39: The Prince of the Drama Club

Summary:

Watch a fanfic writer get way too “poetic”

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 


Juleka was.. she supposed ‘good at many things’ was a way to say it. Most of those things were because of Anarka though, just random things she had picked up. Few being out of her own volition to learn and seek.

 

Fashion and makeup being two of those. The things she wanted to do that is. No Ma, she didn’t want to learn how to seduce someone with a sensual dance, stop asking if she wanted lessons- never mind. At least Ma got her to learn sign.

 

That being said, she would never say that she was good at it. Just, decent. But it made Rose to do her make up, so did her make up a Juleka did. Brushing across her face in soft deft purposefully strokes that she made to try and hide the tremble in her hands and pink across her cheeks.

 

”Hm.”

 

”What’s up?” Rose asked

 

”I did a good job.” Juleka softly decided, smiling at Rose “You look pretty.”

 

She may have missed the spreading of blush going across Rose’s cheeks, though she was more focused on Rose’s glistening eyes and waved it off as the blush she had already applied.

 

”Really?”

 

”W-Well.. yeah. I mean you’re already pretty I just- You’re not usually ugly- I mean you’re not ever..” Juleka sputtered, hiding behind her hair. Rose just made a gentle laugh, taking Juleka’s hands in hers and giving a soft squeeze.

 

”Don't worry, I understand you” Rose smiled. Juleka’s worry trickled away and she nodded. Rose always understood her. That was how they became friends, after all.

 

Even in Juleka’s silence when they met. Even when all she could do was sign and shake her head in terror and frustration that no one would just get it-  Rose was there. Her heart warmed and playfully booped Rose’s nose with the blush brush, making her giggle.

 

”Yeah” Juleka smiled.

 

”Okay!” Rose pepped up “Want me to do your nails before we head to the school in an hour?”

 

Juleka bit her lip, thinking, before nodding with a shrug “Sure, why not. It’ll probably dry by that time right?”

 

”Probably!” Rose said excitedly, pulling out the many nail polish bottles she had managed to stuff with her, sorting through the many colors and glancing at Juleka’s hands, before taking them into her smaller hands and beginning to start her steady work.

 

”Well let’s hope..” Juleka chuckled

 

“Oh yeah! Jules, I saw this like, movie, season, show thing yesterday! It was about this girl named Hannah and she just got to this new university...”

 

...

 

Dupont was not a theatre or art school by any means. The art club room was a small barely swept up classroom with a fe things the art teacher grabbed with his own money, some being just junk Juleka donated from her mom’s ship.

 

That being said, the school did have a small theatre room for the drama club, and a ‘planned set up’ for a stage. Aka, making this large stand thing on the opposite side of the courtyard. Juleka had seen some spoof of Romeo and Juliet by them, it was pretty cool, but she did fall asleep halfway through so she didn’t see much of it.

 

However Juleka hadn’t actually seen the theatre club room, so going back up the steps with Rose and a few others she had spotted at the corner of her eyes even after school had ended, she was starting to have second thoughts.

 

At the top of the stairs, she found her steps stuttering a little as they neared the door. Damn it, what am I doing?! She realized Audition? For a school play!? What the hell! I have shit to do!

 

Trying to think about what that shit was she wasn’t counting much but- l-look you try and make up reasons not to do something, you just don’t and that’s that. Don’t judge.

 

That being said, it’s not like I’m going to be able to land some big role, Rose probably will be able to but.. Juleka’s eyes narrowed as she began to regret more and more. Damn it, I should’ve just gotten ice cream with the others.

 

Apparently there was plans in the class group chat that people wanted to revisit Andre’s again, that Matchmaking ice cream dude or whatever guy? Due to the disaster that was apparently yesterday?

 

Juleka personally still thought that magic icecream was bullshit (despite yknow, the magic cat that lived in her ring), but now she really wish she had taken that offer to escape this impending hell.

 

However, Rose’s hand was intertwined with her’s, and there was no way she was letting go. So she sucked in an uneasy breath as the blonde continued to ramble.

 

”..and so like, and then she bit her.” Rose said, continuing her ramble about some snow she watched really late the day before during the Glaciator attack 

 

”Wouldn’t that make her a vampire?” Juleka asked, she was sorta listening and sorta not. But Rose had found a new sappy romance show or something she had been watching. ‘Carmelita’ or something? She could be wrong.

 

”No, I think to make a vampire is more complex” Rose shrugged “I binged like the first season last night in one go.” She explained before clasping her hands around her heart and doing a little spin

 

“But anyways, then Carmilla-“ Ah THATS the name, ohh wait the lesbian vampire okay yeah that makes sense now “-tells her this beautiful backstory and it’s so tearjerking Juleka!”

 

”I can imagine” Juleka chuckled “I suppose I’ll have to watch it.”

 

Rose blinked at her, a shy smile going across her lips “Y-Yeah?”

 

Juleka shrugged “I mean, you make it sound beautiful.” Better than when Rose watched Twilight. “Why not?”

 

Rose let out a weak giggle, looking her up and down “Yeah I think you’d enjoy it!”

 

And with that, they entered the classroom with a few other students. Surprisingly, she saw that pretty much all of Ms Bustier’s home room were there. Adrien chattering excitedly with a childaxed Nino, Mylene was taking deep breaths with Ivan, Sabrina surprisingly was detached from Chloe’s side and talking to a multitasking Aurore-  

 

It was busy, very busy. Cluttered.

 

Adam was discussing with Lila on a small and raised up stage on the far side of the room, directing bustling people around as chairs were being yanked around, people were pushing in and out of the doors and Juleka was really not feeling this now.

 

Maybe it wasn’t too late to bail! A-Afterall Juleka had Panthera duties, that would get busy-

 

“Oh hey Juleka! Hi Rose!”

 

Damn it.

 

Juleka gave her best smile as Rose and her turned around to see an unbeat looking Alya and Marinette.

 

”You’re auditioning?” Juleka asked

 

”Sorta! Having a role would be fun b-but ahah- that’s not me! I’m a terrible actress!” Marinette giggled, rubbing the back of her neck as Alya laughed next to her. “I was going to volunteer to help out with potential production and design though! See if I can help out with dresses or or-“

 

”A clothes designer!?”

 

Juleka squawked, instinctually backing in front of Rose as Adam stomped over with stars in his eyes, Marinette squeaked as Adam began to drag her away.

 

”Oh we’ve never had a professional clothes designer before this will be stupendous I say stupendous-“

 

Juleka let out a sigh of relief as Alya awkwardly followed Marinette and she looked down at Rose. She gave a weak smile at the blonde as they closed the door behind them. If Marinette can handle this, I can be fine. It’s fine.

 

Its show time.

 

...

 

Lila had ran through the plot in a quick breeze, basic love story, blah blah blah, whatever.

 

Juleka had heard it a thousand time before. Possible plots, cut and added, looming cities of dialogue Lila let spill across her notebook with thought, snapping at Juleka to ask what she had said moments before in her ramblings that she found brilliant and didn’t want to forget during their times of hanging out.

 

Juleka practically knew every line and thought to the story Lila had processed through and wanted. And Juleka could admit, it was pretty solid.

 

Lila continued on, explaining the majority of the extras would also work as background staff, which included doing multiple jobs like lighting, pushing around sets, prop making/passing, makeup, and others.

 

The glance Adam gave Juleka sent a chill up her spine when Lila was saying this.

 

He sat calmly on a throne on the small stage in the drama club room. His presence screaming to stare at him, glowing with a commanding pride that gave him the air of a king. A prince. Of royalty that demanded them to bow. And in a blink of an eye, he would be smiling and talking smoothly like the Disney prince he was.

 

It made people look last Lila, who despite being the one talking and explaining, going on about how the auditions would work, it drew the eye of every breathing person in the room.

 

”..me and Adam will be the ones judging who gets what, and we’ll inform you all tomorrow on the school news board who got a role-“

 

“-and who did not.” Adam finished for her, standing up from his throne as the boards creaked underneath his feet. Lila rolled her eyes, frustrated about being interrupted as she began to pull a chair out towards the middle of the room.

 

”What he said.” Lila chuffed

 

“We shall give you a miniature script of the major characters and you will stand on this stage and recite!” He said, waving around a small rolled up stapled script like a sword-

 

And then he transformed-

 

Juleka felt a chill go up her spine as His aura shifted, his demeanor changing as his eyes began to shine an almost innocent but vengeful look. His posture grew soft and his once heavy foot steps turned light as he began to trail across the boards in an almost graceful stumble.

 

The last bit of Adam Charment Juleka saw was the curled smile on his lips that silently spoke the words “Watch me-“

 

Suddenly the young man convulsed and fell to his knees. Juleka’s breath leapt to her throat, and she swore she could see the sudden blood and blow through his chest, before realizing there was nothing there. An act. A performance. He was performing.

 

”T-Though, my heart aches more than the wound in my side—“ He started, Juleka could practically feel the forcefulness in his chokes and coughs through his teeth and it shook her to the core from how real they felt. The drama clubroom disappeared and suddenly it felt like the people inside were just onlookers to a real tragedy-

 

The one once named Adam Charment had completely been transformed into the role of Prince Edmund of the Daylight Kingdom. Specifically in the scene Juleka remembered to be the one where he had been wounded by the Pirate King Malachite in his raid through the castle where he killed many of the staff, and steals Princess Dahlia.

 

It was very dramatic, but when Juleka looked over it, it was just lines on paper. But now- it was like the character had become alive. And every dramatic mark of pain that she had skimmed over for just a description of what was happening was now hauntingly real.

 

She couldn’t even see Adam anymore this was just an entirely different person, like he had ripped through the pages and shape shifted until he had become real life.

 

”—Let it be known, wench, evil one, ripper of the seas and stealer of the innocents souls, that my heart will not by stalled- to reclaim my love, and the honor of my kingdom!” Prince Edmund shouted, his voice shaking through the room. His eyes burning off of the stage and seeming to seethe into every person in the room “And I will count on that promise! Don’t you forget!”

 

Juleka felt her throat catch on her throat, and her clammy grip on Rose’s hand tighten. She was genuinely scared. She was genuinely terrified.

 

For she knew-

 

That he was speaking to her.

 

And like that, it was over- Adam smoothed the hair out of his voice as calmness and reality seeped back in. The world around them was dropped back in place, and Juleka could see from the edge of his vision that people were applauding like they had seen a masterpiece.

 

”And you shall preform like so! Until we decide what we’ve heard is enough and move on!” Adam smiled over the applause, taking a few humble but proud bows “Yes yes- thank you- thank you-“

 

”Guess the prince role has already been taken..” Adrien commented with an amused chuckle

 

”Too right, this guy always takes the main character role in all of our shows.” Aurore’s voice picked up next to him, Juleka could feel the weather girl’s eye roll behind her “True head of the drama club. But it’s not like we can complain. He is a godly actor..”

 

”He truly transformed into the character..” Rose softly said, clutching her chest in awe. Juleka felt a spike pierce through her side, feeling though as if a sword had truly been stabbed through her.

 

And staring into Adam’s proud eyes, she might as well was, as she felt a score slip from her fingers.

 

...

 

The auditions following were filled with hand raises and loud shouts of ‘Me Next!’- which didn’t matter cause everyone was going to get a turn judging by the clipboard in Lila’s hands.

 

Juleka wanted to wonder if the reason why Adam said the volunteering actors had to perform in front of the awaiting people really was because-

 

“If they cannot stand and declare that they can perform in front of their own peers, they have no hope to perform in front of a crowd of awaiting eyes and minds!”

 

—or if he just was trying to target her.

 

However upon thinking about it, that was most likely her own hate blinding and deafening her. Adam’s critical eye was not to be mistaken. His mind was quick, and he seemed to glimmer and glow with thought and vision.

 

Even in this war of love, it seemed the stage was what he cared about above all. The difference was between a man obsessed with his performance and Adam Charment, was that instead of being distracted from his heart by his soul, Adam had his hand reaching out, to invite Rose with him, to dance in the spotlight.

 

Juleka watched from the dark corner of the room to which she loomed as he jotted down notes, glances around with increasing ideas and brilliance. He was an artist at work and she could see cogs in the machine of his working mind click and move.

 

And he was not unkind either. Her eyes thinned as he leapt from neck hair to guide Mylene in her own sputtering and nervous recite of the script, encouraging her to continue through her lines, saying she had potential and the strength to become a star actress.

 

She was jealous. There was no doubt in mind about that. And the terribleness that it was a kind man that she wanted to rip apart was one that unsettled her to her weak bones.

 

Envy and bitterness was what clutched her chest, next to that being heartbreak and despair as she forced herself to smile kindly at Rose’s visible excitement grow with each audition.

 

Lord knew how much Rose loved musicals..

 

Adrien didn’t surprise the room with his eager raised hand, but did with the passed script for the Pirate King’s dialogue. His hair raised on end as he bellowed and let his cackle echo through the room, making girls swoon and boys awkwardly cough into their fists as they tried to deny the shaking feelings in their legs as his eyes became hungry and his words articulated with cruelty.

 

”Come with me!” Adrien roared, shocking every single person in the room with the malice in his voice “Come with me and dance in the hellfire I’ve created with my two hands, and become the ash I walk on!

 

He was truly letting loose, Juleka watched with pride as she saw layers of him fell off like snake scales, and his eyes tighten and release as he lashed around like the wild animal the Pirate King was.

 

Hoisting his flag of chaos up like some declaration of his murder of innocence and perfection. Lila’s eyes glowed with interest and Juleka caught her scribbling down excitedly on her notepad much to Adam’s subtle nods.

 

A few eager boys, wanting to show the model and Adam up, stumbled through over worked attempts at Prince Edmund and Pirate King Malachite. But it wasn’t enough. They carried no power in comparison.

 

Their performances held nothing, while the tingling and raised hairs from Adrien’s trembling voice and Adam’s piercing eyes still stained Juleka’s thoughts and feelings.

 

Alya made a half hearted attempt at Princess Dahlia, mostly to make Marinette giggle at the side with her goofy voices and clearly uncommitted feel for the character. Lila didn’t appreciate it and shooed her off the stage, but her amused smile was not false.

 

Some were shorter than the others. Nathaniel got three words in and gave up when he accidentally stuttered on but. Alix just looked at the script, silently did a backflip off the wall, and then walked off the stage. Kim saw that as a challenge and tried to backflip too. He was taken home soon after after he landed horribly.

 

More Auditions flew by, most numb to Juleka’s ears. She could hear some being forced on stage and just violently shaking their heads in fear and Adam waving them off that they could discuss where they wanted their seat to be in the staff.

 

To be real, Juleka wanted to leave, but Rose’s hand kept her anchored to her spot as the blonde beside her squealed and chattered with each performance.

 

Sabrina stuttered through her lines as Princess Dahlia before running off stage, Marinette got shoved on and just immediately walked off with a red face laugh, Nino as well noping out- Ivan made a good gruff play with Malachite but his words were not filled with the emotion Adrien had displayed.

 

It was hard to win against Adrien in anything though it seemed, so Ivan was not disappointed with his clear loss.

 

”You would’ve made a r-really cool Pirate, Ivan!” Juleka heard Mylene whisper as Ivan blushed and gave her a kiss. The slight flicker of jealousy that clawed in her throat made her feel disgusting.

 

And when it came time for her to stand on stage, passing by an Aurore who did a pretty good Dahlia performance, nailing down such a feeling of innocence and compassion despite her haughty persona- she wasn’t able to say anything.

 

She could only shake like the cowardly leaf she was. A deer in the headlines. A wolf in a bear trap. A stupid weak child.

 

”I-“ Juleka choked on her closed in throat as she stared fearfully at the thousands of eye peering into her soul, before finding herself staring into Adam’s. His thin green eyes observing her apathetically. And that was somehow worse than a judgmental glare.

 

He was seeing her for her actions, and her actions only. To see if she was brave enough to take the helm and truly challenge him and his ivory throne. 

 

But she was only a stray, compared to the Prince of the Theatre Club. Only a woman in a mask compared to a masquerade of true nobility. 

 

And so she left the stage without a word.

 

...

 

The shame that bubbled in Juleka throat silenced her for many more of the auditions following by.

 

Chloe proved to be very dependent of the script, her nose in the papers, but gave up halfway through as she threw up the papers and called it Utterly Ridiculous and that she was satisfied being anything as glamorous as she was.

 

A few more students passed, but Juleka was not focused. Her eyes completely baring into the ground as she fuddled with her ring. She could feel Plagg rolling around sleepily in her pocket, and her vision only cleared when she felt Rose’s hand on her shoulder.

 

”Jules?”

 

She said nothing, she wasn’t sure if she could. Only embarrassment filling her when she gazed into Rose’s kind stare. So Juleka just gave a weak tired smile and a tilted head to communicate.

 

Rose blinked and gave her hand a squeeze.

 

”I’m gonna go up!” Rose said happily, “Wish me luck!”

 

Juleka nodded, mouthing the words as Rose’s hand left her grasp, and the flickering warmth left her palm. Leaving her to the darkness. A cold void swallowed her as she leaned against the wall. 

 

Terrible. Terrible girl. She thought. What made you think you could even try?

 

Her tired eyes rose from the floor to stare up at Adam’s back. It was like a shadow overcast her no matter where she went. No matter what she could do, would do, or has done. And yet there she was, still trying. For what? Rose? Even without Adam, what hope was there ever that Rose could ever be hers? For her to be Rose?

 

Juleka’s hands shook besides her- when suddenly like a gush of cold water was splashed across her face, Rose’s voice broke through her thoughts as she spoke from the stage in a tone that made Juleka’s cheeks flutter a soft pink from just her heavenly presence.

 

Rose seemed to glow in the light of the soft hazy gold spotlights, she looked like an angel, as her blonde locks glowed like a gentle halo around her softly flushed face- as she began to recite the words from the tower of paragraphs Juleka remembered Lila printing in a huff the day before.

 

“Cheesy as Hell” Lila had said “But that’s what Princey Boy wanted! Some Shakespearean nonsense. So that’s what I gave him, I guess.”

 

“Night and day, my love, evening and dawn..” Rose whispered, her eyes fluttered to a gentle close

 

This was not new dialogue, Juleka had listened to echos of it for the last three hours of being here. And yet it sent chills up her spine in a way that made her feel her eyes snap open. Her breath caught at her throat as she waited with bated breath with every pause in Rose’s speech.

 

“..I shall follow you until the ends of the earth shall swallow us whole, and follow you to hell itself.” Rose continued her monologue-

 

Juleka Couffaine, loved Rose Lavillant.

 

”For your love to me is not fragile, as is my love to you.”

 

That was a fact that no one could ever deny. Everything that Rose did, Juleka treasured and felt the need to worship. Every mistake Rose made, Rose made, and Juleka would help work it out with Rose. There was no denying who Rose was in Juleka’s eyes. In every flaw, she saw a spark of beauty, but never perfection.

 

”I would marry you yesterday, today, and every tomorrow coming forth, just to see your smile, and feel your embrace.”

 

But in this moment as she listened to Rose, all she could see was the spirit of an angel in her presence that she could listen to for years and even in the insanity of the loop, would still grin through her tears, through any pain, because who Rose was, was a blessing. And Juleka was just a pitiful monster.

 

Rose’s eyes fluttered open, as Juleka murmured under her breath the line she knew came next- the first words she had been able to say since the moment these damn auditions started.

 

Juleka had no proof Rose could ever mean these words to her next, that as she spoke them, it was the goth that Rose was looking to. But Juleka meant them for Rose.

 

“All in hopes that our next sunrise, shall be the one where our hands forever will be intertwined. Forever and always, until the stars blink out.”

 

And scene.

 

...

 

”Out of the three hours? I’d say that was a success.” Lila said, flipping through her clipboard, there were a lots of results.

 

Roles she definitely wanted assigned, a handful of solid maybes, Ivan would make a wonderful pirate and she felt like Nathaniel really could have the potential- plus the long list of extras, background characters with enough lines that she felt the need to quite literally assign- damn it this was a lot of work but she was ready.

 

”She’s perfect..”

 

”Ah?” Lila looked up from the throne to see Adam staring out of the window, his cheeks a soft rosy pink.

 

”Rose! She’s perfect for the role of Princess Dahlia!” Adam exclaimed excitedly, “Did you see her face? Feel her aura? She’s a real princess, Lila! She’s perfect!” He said, jumping onto the small stage and waving his hands.

 

Lila rose an eyebrow “I mean, I guess. Princess Dahlia does sorta have her energy. But just cause she’s a little ball of cute innocent and sincere energy doesn’t mean she’s ‘perfect’” Lila said, tossing a hair out of her face. “She can read lines just fine. But personally, I liked Aurore’s—“

 

”Aurore’s already part of this club, she can do our next production.” Adam said, waving her off and slipping the crown prop onto his hair. It’s glued on flowers that grew into two antlers from the sides poking out of his smooth yet fluffy hair. He glanced into the window, his reflection staring back with a smile on his face “This is an opportunity.”

 

Lila tsked, “Simp.”

 

”What was that?” Adam looked up confusedly

 

”Nothing, glitter boy.” Lila rolled her eyes, pushing off the throne to stare down at him from the short stage. “We’ve got some decisions to make, you liked Adrien’s audition right?”

 

“Yeah, I was worried for a second I’d have to compete for the title of prince in this performance..” Adam said, the darkening classroom casting a shadow across the wall. He watched Lila carefully from the glass of the window, pressing his hand on it. Thinking. “What about Juleka Couffaine?”

 

”Why does she matter?” Lila asked pointedly, raising an eyebrow “I was just going to add her as an extra..”

 

”Right, of course.” Adam said “And staff?”

 

”Yeah, she’s got a knack of make up- according to Rose and Adrien” Lila said, parting through her papers as she walked down the steps, looking up as Adam passed her to stand on the stage. “Why?”

 

”If we can, I want her on lightning too.” Adam directed, running a hand over the throne “She looks like she’s got an eye for the stage but can’t articulate it.”

 

”Can’t articulate it, haha, that’s an understatement.” Lila snorted “Bit of a lone wolf but.. she’s got a stronger heart than you think.” She paused, looking up at him “If your plan is to keep her off the stage entirely, I don’t suggest it. Not just because she’s my friend, but exclusion won’t look good on you.”

 

Adam was silent, but he didn’t freeze, just, thinking. Again. Before slowly slinking into the throne and staring down at her as the light flickered over his face.

 

”It would, which gives me some simple ideas on what she could play.” Adam said casually, though his voice laced with a carefulness Lila notably caught. “Gustav will have to get started on the choreography on some of the scenes..”

 

”Yeah, he will. But if we’re using Adrien as Malachite- I’ve heard he’s got some fencing experiencing—“

 

”He’s a pirate, not a fencer” Adam said, rubbing his chin as he stood up “We’ll think about that later, I want it to be as authentic as possible.”

 

”Drama Queen.” Lila rolled her eyes, following after him

 

”Drama Prince! Ms Rossi.” Adam corrected, taking off his crown and hanging it on one of the tables as he opened the door for her. Lila huffed and strolled out

 

”Yeah yeah, see you tomorrow, I’ll text you my opinions and decisions tonight, you decide later, Glitter Shit.”

 

Adam waved goodbye, his face souring at the foul language coming from the Italian girl, but before he turned the lights off and pulled the key out from his pocket, he paused, staring back at the crown.

 

He stood still, before slowly striding towards it, taking it back into his hands. It felt heavy in his palms and he closed his eyes as he put it back on. Letting the crown weight against his head, and the antlers loom as he stared up at the throne.

 

Had he already lost? No. No he refused. Not when he was so close.

 

”I’ll give you all a show..” He muttered, and began to stride out, turning off the light and letting the room become swallowed with the red colors of the sunset, before closing the door with a steady click. 

 

 

Notes:

And so, The Performance Arc officially begins.

Very heavily inspired by the show Beastars, and trust me it’s for good reason. And it won’t be a direct copy of the arc this is mostly inspired by.

Hope you enjoy anyways.

Next chapter! Juleka has a conversation with Adam and someone gets mad about their role. But it’s a non entity so we don’t care if they get a kick to the head.

Chapter 40: Audtioneer

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

“Fucking idiots..”

 

”That’s very strong language to use against your hotel staff.” The cat hero teased, flipping another page of the book Chloe had so kindly lent her. She stifled a gasp. Holy shit Ling and Edward got vored into Superhell. What the fuck.

 

“Tch! W-Whatever! I- I mean- Ugh. I’m.. Sorry.” Chloe huffed, crossing her arms. Her voice barely audible if not for her sensitive cat ears. Juleka brightened, looking up from the book.

 

”Oh? Oh that was good! That was a good apology!” She said with a smile, putting it down to give the, now red with embarrassment, blonde girl a hug. “Aw I’m so proud of you!”

 

And really she was! Last time Chloe tried to apologize, Juleka watched the girl pretty much choke on the worry ‘sorry’ like she had swallowed a rotten potato! Which like, was super hilarious, but this was just great!

 

”Let me go you heathen!” Chloe squawked, kicking her legs as they dangled off the ground.

 

Never.

 

”You’ve improved so much I’m so proud of you!”

 

”I swear to fuck I’m going to call security I won’t even hesitate—!”

 

Okay maybe she should let go.

 

Juleka plopped Chloe on the ground and gave a laugh, patting the shorter girl on the hair- who huffily swatted at her. The cat hero gave a soft smile and glanced out at the slowly setting sun.

 

To be honest, She found no true reason to keep coming back to the Hotel. Back to the insufferable Chloe who, not that many months ago, locked Juleka in the bathroom out of jealousy during picture day.

 

Yet here Juleka was- borrowing Chloe’s manga, lifting her up in excitement with hugs, glowing with pride and joy at Chloe’s improvement in self.. And it was nice. Juleka genuinely enjoyed.. Chloe’s company. Weird. And all it took was just some.. grace.

 

Some ability to wave off Chloe’s originally teeth gritting flaws and traits. Of course, not dismiss them like how many teachers and people afraid of Chloe’s power, not ignore their existence like Sabrina had, but wave it off to congratulate the changes she was going through to make them better.

 

Her once hair pulling insults and jealous schemes became snarky quips that Juleka found herself snorting to, and complex attempts to do something decent with an easy way to deny it were found to be endearing.

 

Once Juleka changed the way she looked at Chloe, Chloe began to actually change.

 

Huh.

 

Juleka’s stomach growled, and she patted her stomach “Ah, I think that’s my cue to go.” She commented, taking out her baton and extending it as she began to stroll out to the balcony “I’ll catch you later, Chloe—“

 

”Wait-“

 

Her ear twitched and she turned around to give Chloe a soft glance.

 

”Yeah?” Juleka tilted her head curiously. Chloe pursed her lip thoughtfully, shifting around.

 

”Thanks for actually you know..” Chloe waved a hand, trying to find her eords as her ears grew red with embarrassment, Juleka gave her a reassuring nod, mouthing ‘continue’. Chloe huffed, “..like.. sticking around. I guess.”

 

Juleka’s tail flicked, smiling “Yeah! No prob. Change takes time and it’s hard. You’re not perfect but you’re improving and you haven’t given up which is actually really difficult, so I’d say you’re being pretty incredible in this whole thing.” She gave Chloe another pats on the head “I’m proud of you, Chloe. You’ve done exceptionally.”

 

Chloe slowly blinked with surprise at her, as Juleka nodded.

 

”I’ll see you around, kay?” She said softly 

 

”..Kay.” Chloe responded, barely audible as she looked away from Juleka.

 

Juleka winked and opened the balcony door, taking a swan dive off the building before leaping across the city streets, breathing in the cold Paris air.

 

School had been canceled the day after those dreadful auditions, the day they were supposed to see the results, because during second period some kid in the science class exploded something and they needed a while to clear stuff out for safety.

 

This resulted in no one getting to see the results, but Lila had commented with a tired sigh that maybe that was for the best, as she was still thinking over the script for some last checkups and assigned role confirmations. So at least there were some upsides.

 

That being said, Juleka still felt.. partially empty inside.

 

She found herself in front of that house again, Rose’s house. Half tempted to leapt over and knock happily on her window, throwing a quick flirt out to make Rose softly blush and giggle, just let themselves talk for hours through the night- while Juleka let herself outwardly love Rose in a way that felt okay for her-

 

But she couldn’t. She ruined that.

 

So Juleka continued to run home, trying to not look back to check in hopes maybe Rose saw her. Hoping Rose missed, Panthera Noire.

 

She touched down on the side of the Couffaine Boat and with the fall of the sun and seeping into the night, Juleka detransformed and hopped through the port hole. She sighed, shoulders sagging as she rolled across her bed.

 

A soft mewl blinked her out of her drawl to sleep, she looked up with a smile as she lifted her hand up to give room to the soft black kitten hopping onto her bed.

 

”Hello Minou” She giggled, scratching it behind it’s ear. The cat let out a steady purr, nuzzling against her hand “Now thinking about it, you look a lot like Plagg.”

 

”Except stupider” Plagg commented, flying out of her jacket and swishing around.

 

”Low bar.” Juleka snorted.

 

Leaning on her elbow as the light from the window darkened with the passing minutes, Juleka found herself humming along to the cat’s soft purring, and slowly lulled to sleep.

 

...

 

”Wow.”

 

”You got the part.” Juleka murmured, looking up at the bulletin board. A soft smile went across her face as she glanced down at Rose “You got the part!”

 

”I got the part!” Rose squealed, dancing around Juleka with excitement “I got the part!”

 

“Of course you did, ‘Princess Dahlia’” Juleka laughed weakly, watching her friend celebrate with joy, sing singing her imaginations about the play in jubilation, as her copper eyes trailed around to the other kids crowding around the board.

 

Aurore was sulking in the corner, getting comforted by a softly laughing Mireille who was softly reassuring her that ‘next time’ would be it. Nathaniel was sighing with relief, finding himself on the extras and production team along with an equally relieved and content Marinette.

 

Mylene was giving Ivan a hug as he earned the role as King Juniper, who super fucking died before the second act Mufasa style, telling him he was going to do great.

 

Looking back at the board for her own name, her eyebrow rose in confusion at her role. Sure, she was a worker in the art department. Her brow dripped with sweat at the word manager of the makeup department, but it was what she expected for someone as invisible as her and such a horrible audition she made before. However...

 

“Who’s..”

 

”Ah yeah, added a few new characters, that fine with you?”

 

Juleka blinked, looking down at Lila was strolling up next to her, the Italian girl gave a sly smile. Juleka rose an eyebrow, giving a glance backward to see where Rose was, noticing she was with Marinette, Alya, and Nino- and back to Lila.

 

”I mean, yeah I guess so..” Juleka replied, scratching the back of her neck as a trickle of worry began to slowly leak into her mind “Right so.. Handmaiden.. Olive. Will I get info about that?”

 

”Yeah yeah, don’t worry.” Lila shrugged, waving a hand “I know you were hoping for something just background wise, but we need you on staff for act two and Olive gets-“ she made beheading motion across her neck “-At the end of act one, so it’s easier than just making you run around in and out in and out- do you get it?”

 

Barely.

 

”Sure.” Juleka nodded “Do I.. have to do any lines?” She asked weakly as they began to trail a little away from the board. Lila cringed but gave a smile.

 

”A.. few. With Rose though. You’ll be fine.” Lila waved, patting her shoulder. Juleka’s stomach twisted. Awww. Great. Now looking back at the board though, she was piecing together some certain puzzle pieces that were now making things a hella a lot worse..

 

”What do you mean I didn’t get the fucking prince! My audition was perfect!” Some kid barked.

 

Honestly, she had no clue who this kid was, only that she slightly recognized him from audition day. However from the throw up that he called fashion that reminded Juleka of just the entire semblance of nightcore, she knew she really didn’t care.

 

Lila did though. Especially when the kid ripped apart the audition sheet from the bulletin board and began to stomp on it in a rage. Much to t(e frustration and shock of the surrounding students.

 

”Hey hey hey-“

 

”IT’S NOT FAIR!” He shrieked “HATERS ALL OF YOU! I HAVE SO MUCH TALENT!”

 

”Aw come on dude I was reading that!”

 

”Tch. Your performance wasn’t even above average. How utterly ridiculous!”

 

”Chloe, be nice.”

 

“I am!”

 

Lila’s face burned with rage as she pointed at the ripped shreds ”WHAT THE HELL THAT TOOK LIKE TWENTY MINUTES TO PRINT!”

 

”AGH!”

 

”What’s going on here?”

 

Juleka was too busy staring at the chaos of this kid throw a tantrum so big it made Chloe look like a model student, to notice the tall Adam Charment slipping through the crowd and up next to her.

 

Juleka bit her lip, glancing up and meeting his expecting gaze. He’s talking to me?

 

Her throat felt dry as she spoke “He’s angry that he didn’t get the part I’m assuming you took?”

 

Adam just let out a low whistle “Happens all the time.. it’s show biz..”

 

”Well clearly someone likes to hog the spot light..” Juleka mumbled. Adam rose an eyebrow at her.

 

”My hearing isn’t as bad as you hoped..” He dryly said, his brows lowering.

 

”And?”

 

Adam’s eyebrow twitched. Juleka could hear the mutter of a ‘touché’ under his breath as they slowly focused back to the screaming student, who Lila was failing at calming down. In the sense that she was just kinda yelling back. Mood.

 

Adam groaned to himself and began to stride forward. The clicks under his shoes seeming to echo through the bustling crowd of arguing children as his back arched higher and higher and his eyes grew darker.

 

”Right.. handling this.. it’s my job.. great..” He mumbled, earning a low dry snort from Juleka as she stepped back to watch next to Rose who looked at her with a smile.

 

The two waved at eachother, exchanging the silent ‘hello again’s they knew they were having and glanced back over to Adam pretty much, eh, ‘laid down the law’ with the theatre club member. Or how Juleka’s ma put it, ‘fucked that little shit up’.

 

”Pierre Bruguiere is that not correct?” Adam’s voice slithered up Juleka’s spine, loud and clear, as it cut through the young student’s angry shouting and whining and bustling of the angry crowd.

 

Like how it entranced them only a few days before, Juleka found the small surrounding area practically entrapped in a field of bramble. It was piercing.

 

”Of course you do, I’m a fucking member of your stupid club!” Pierre barked, “What, you can’t remember your own workers? Guess that shows how stuck up you are-“

 

”And?”

 

Juleka’s eyes thinned as Adam didn’t even flinch. This was like it’s own performance entirely.. Like the grim reaper possessed the young man and decided Pierre was to die today. Rose found her way into Juleka’s hand and the goth glanced down at the blonde, before staring back and giving her hand a gentle squeeze.

 

Pierre’s voice hitched with fear, his anger melting off his fingertips and being replaced with fear. His eyes wide as he darted around for support from the tired theatre kids who Juleka guessed, had already dealt with him in earlier years, or others who had been dragged in and didn’t want any part.

 

He turned back to Adam who stood taller than Juleka ever could.

 

”You-“ Pierre started, gulping as Adam rose an eyebrow “Always h-hog the spotlight. When others could totally do better than you! You never give anyone a chance-“

 

”What makes you so deserving? I think I made it clear on these poor ruined papers that you will be working at the art department.” Adam said, grabbing Pierre by the shoulder as he shoved himself in the shorter boy’s space. “I didn’t see any bit of your performance worthy to out-stage me. And my co-director agreed.”

 

Juleka’s ears pricked as she heard Lila let out a loud huff, glancing back she could see the Italian girl grappling with the many ripped papers, muttering about tape and ink while a few others helped her gather the ruined audition sheet before she glanced back at Pierre with a scowl.

 

“It was sloppy and way too overdone, like you thought screaming every line would make you better.” She deadpanned, Adam nodding to with a smug nod.

 

Pierre’s face dropped before twisting again, his fists clenched at his sides as Adam swooped downwards and plucked a piece of the ripped audition papers into his hands before shoving them into Pierre’s chest.

 

”I do recognize you, Pierre. I recognize you for your horrible excuse of what could be called a ‘performance’ last year.” Adam said slowly, pressing it against Pierre’s shocked form like a dagger into his chest “You caused an onstage embarrassment for all of us, costing the entire show..”

 

Juleka remembered that. So that’s who this guy is..

 

She had totally fallen asleep during the drama club’s rendition of Romeo and Juliet the year before. But she remembers ‘the incident’ very well.

 

It was the most exciting part for Juleka! Where Mercutio flubbed his choreography and in his attempt to ad lib, knocked over the castle set and the torches sent the stage on fire. Crazy Thursday night. Rose talked about it for hours after that.

 

Juleka’s dead expression turned back to Adam. Yeah, she could totally understand this guy’s specific anger with Pierre now..

 

Adam shoved Pierre back and let out a long inhale, turning to the people around him in a silent circle. The bell echoing around them barely making them flinch as they waited for this prince’s orders. Juleka herself felt her legs locked in place to hear what his last words would be. 

 

Adam sighed, running a hand through his perfect locks as he gave a scalding look at Pierre and then Juleka.

 

”Get along well with her, got it, Pierre? She has barely an experience in drama but for this performance, she holds a higher position than you will.” Adam spat, giving the jaw dropped Juleka a look before pushing his way out of the crowds

 

”I-I-“ Pierre sputtered

 

Adam snapped a hand over his head “And.. scene! Now everyone- Get to your classes! I wouldn’t want all my actors and non actors-“ another stare at Pierre “-to be late to class!”

 

That realization that they were still at school seemed to click through them all as they all began to bustle around in a panic to burst through the courtyard and make their ways to class.

 

”Holy dang.” Rose whispered.

 

”Mm..” Juleka nodded, squeezing Rose’s a little harder than she wanted to from the pent up nervous energy she felt bubbling in her chest. “To class?”

 

Rose nodded “To class.”

 

...

 

”I AM AUDITIONEER!”

 

Juleka snapped her pencil in half as a loud explosion rattled the classroom. She paid no mind to it actually, as she became more focused on staring down at her pencil in disappointment. Darn. That sucked. That was her favorite one.. maybe she can tape it-

 

“RAAAAGH!”

 

Damn it, she was trying to get some alone time in the art room for once, not counting Lila who had barged in her in a fit to type angrily on her tablet in peace.

 

But that was ruined for both of them, clearly, as an explosion from what felt like right underneath them shook them to the core.

 

Another explosion shook the room once again and she blinked back to focus. Glancing at Lila who made tired eye contact with her, the two of them made their way to the door and looked out to see the very pissed off paper jester looking akuma stomping around the courtyard in a fit.

 

”Wow. That looks stupid.” Lila deadpanned. Auditioneer heard her and jerked around in a seething rage. Juleka squeaked, ducking down as Auditioneer shot a stretching arm forward, wrapping it around Lila’s waist and yanking her off of the second floor.

 

Lila screamed in shock, thrashing around in fear as Auditioneer let out an echoing cackle that made the surrounding students shout in horror and run around terrified. Juleka paled as she slowly stepped back away from the rails while people rushed past her to escape the library.

 

”THAT’S RIGHT! THE SPOTLIGHT’S MINE! ALL MINE!” Auditioneer shouted. Gee. Juleka wondered who this was. 

 

She let herself blend with the bustling and screaming crowd, disappearing as she shuffled backwards into the art room and discreetly closing the door so no one could enter.

 

Plagg flew out of her pocket as she neared the window.

 

”Maybe you should wait a while! And see if this guy murders Adam! So then Rose could be allllllll yours!” He said cheekily. Juleka huffed, scratching his cheek and letting him fly around dazily.

 

”That wouldn’t solve anything now would it.” Juleka commented, flipping her hair “Plagg!”

 

”Ugh- fiiineee-“

 

”Claws out!”

 

...

 

Juleka burst out the window, nearly falling straight down two floors as her claws caught onto the windowsill and she dragged herself up the wall and onto the top of the school’s roof with a quick flip.

 

Her tail scraped against the cement roof as her head popped over to view the play ground. Auditioneer had sprouted four more Dr Octopus looking arms from his back, two of which, carrying Lila and Adam.

 

Her nails dug into the cement as Juleka collected her emotions. Right. She was a hero. Don’t let her pettiness get in the way. Okay.

 

...Maybe she could wait for Marinette to show up- no. No. Lila was in trouble too. And Adam, Juleka, Juleka guessed- whatever. 

 

But why don’t you wait? What would happen if you did, see if Auditioneer would skewer and kill him. 

 

Juleka blinked. Yo what the fuck intrusive thoughts?

 

Seriously, you tell me to drop my phone in my sink to see what would happen, try and guess what would happen if I threw myself out the classroom window, three the toaster in the Siene- like what the fuck brain? What the fuck? 

 

Juleka groaned, rubbing her eyes. She had stepped a foot of the roof and yet she was already so exhausted from this fight. Fuckin, turn the brain off for once Juleka.

 

Rose cares for him.. imagine if she learned I’d let him die for something so selfish. She thought, taking out her baton as Auditioneer’s voice prickled at her ears again.

 

”HEY! HEY! HEY EVERYBODY! ALL EYE’S ON ME!” He shouted boisterously, swinging around like some rag doll as his long grin stretched for too widely across his face, sending a chill up Juleka’s spine. “BLINK IF YOU MUST, NOW! SO YOU DON’T MISS A THING OF THE AMAZING AUDITIONEER’S PERFORMANCE!”

 

Auditioneer cackled as he swung Lila and Adam around senseless, like puppets, occasionally slamming them into eachother much to their pain and fear.

 

”Ugh! Get Adam away from me! His breath smells of insecurities and glitter glue!” Lila whined.

 

”That’s what you’re worried about!?” Adam exclaimed, clutching the metallic tendrils squeezing around his neck as his legs dangled. “Damn!”

 

Vattela a pigliare in culo..” Lila muttered

 

”What the heck does that mean?!”

 

Juleka was curious too, but she didn’t get any answers as Auditioneer’s cackling rose up again, as he made cracks along the pavement.

 

”IF LADYBUG AND HER STRAY CAT DON’T COME TO PLAY! THEN YOU CAN CONSIDER THESE TWO CHILDREN-“ Juleka’s eyes thinned as Lila and Adam screamed in pain as his tendrils squeezed tighter “-DEAD MEAT!”

 

Okay that was it.

 

Juleka leapt off of the roof and onto the ground, Ladybug or not, she wasn’t taking this shit anymore.

 

”You called?” Panthera purred, extending her staff in a quick shwip. Her ears perked upwards as she could hear a crowd of cheers and cries of many girls and she blew a kiss in that direction, smiling a little when those cheers erupted into louder screams.

 

Auditioneer however was not cheering, as his inhuman face twisted with anger.

 

”DAMN IT! DAMN IT! DAMN IT! IT’S ABOUT ME YOU FOOL! STOP IT!” He screamed, big droopy studio ghibli looking tears falling down his red face “YOU JERKS ARE ALWAYS THE ONES RUINING MY CHANCE TO SHINE! I JUST WANT TO SHOW MY TALENT!”

 

Juleka bit back a curse as she swung her pole around, slapping away a tendril shooting towards her and then another. She leapt in the air only to jump right over him and nail him in the back.

 

She opened up her arms as Lila and Adam fell right into her grasp, picking up her baton with her tail before diving out of the way from Auditioneer.

 

Looking up at the looming akuma she pushed Lila and Adam behind her, shielding them with her body as Auditioneer let out a shuddering roar, lifting up his many arms to crush her into the ground as her fear stuck her in place.

 

It was too late to roll away now as her threw them down at her and she shot her bat up in some feeble attempt to block- only for a hope inducing whizzing entered her ears. Juleka looked up with a mad grin as Auditioneer yelled in shock as his arms were found tied and yanked away by a familiar yo-yo.

 

”LADYBUG!”

 

A roar of cheers erupted around the school as the red heroine dropped into the courtyard, her eyes shining with determination as a grin spread across her lips. Lila huffed behind Juleka, mumbling ‘totally overated’ or something.

 

Auditioneer let out an angry shout, twisting his paper like body around to glare at Ladybug.

 

”You..!”

 

”Panthera!”

 

Juleka twisted her pole around, yelling out a battle cry as she slammed it across Auditioneer’s unsuspecting head.

 

”NO MONOLOGUING FOR YOU!” Juleka snarled as Auditioneer stumbled to the ground in a thump. She turned to Lila and Adam and cocked her head to the stairs. “Well? Git!”

 

Lila wasted no time scrambling away, though giving Juleka a friendly wave as she joined the class on the second floor as they pulled her to safety. Meanwhile Adam made eye contact with her.

 

Juleka’s eyes thinned. Now last time he and Panthera met.. it was at Princess Prom. Her grip on her pole tightened. She had attempted to steal Rose from him and she succeeded.. she wondered if he knew of her failures too though.

 

”Well? Are you trying to get injured, Mr Princey?” Panthera spat half heartedly, smacking Auditioneer’s reaching claw away. Adam huffed, adjusting his dress shirt as if there was no struggling Akuma only a few feet away.

 

”Was just going to say.. that the Akuma is most likely in his ripped audition papers.” Adam said back. Juleka blinked, ah she hadn’t thought of that. Damn it. “Thank you for rescuing me.”

 

”Sure.” Juleka mumbled, watching him leave. Her hair bristled as he made his way up the stairs straight towards...

 

Rose’s smile stretched across her face as he approached her and patted her on the head, no doubt going on about how dangerous that was and how glad he was she was safe..

 

”Panthera!”

 

Juleka hissed, twisting around and jumping onto Auditioneer’s back as Ladybug threw around pairs of red and black dotted hair ties, trapping his arms while Juleka wrestled with his chest.

 

His eyes widened with fear as she growled, slamming him across the cheek- watching blood squirt from his elongated teeth, before she reached down into his paper chest, and ripped out the origami flower in his pocket- before crushing it in her blackened claws.

 

...

 

“...And the ones who aren’t up to par with the confirmed actors, will get put in the staff.” Adam said, glancing at the stage crew, where Juleka sat near the back.

 

It’d been a good.. ten minutes? Since Pierre was cured? Definitely one of the quicker fights Juleka’s been in.

 

They all returned to the theatre club room for Adam to reaffirm his and Lila’s decisions with the casting, what each group will and are expected to do, etc.

 

Between the actual actors and the people in the stage crew, there was like a split in the middle between the club room.

 

Juleka glanced towards Pierre who was glaring holes into his seat, still obviously dissed about today, and while she barely felt bad, she thought methodically about this.

 

This Pierre kid has some ego, if he doesn’t accept his position on this team as something he deserves, he’ll make it our problem. The actor’s problem. Her eyes fell on Rose across the room.  I’m not letting that happen. She thought, making eye contact with Adam who’s eyebrow quirked up.

 

His head tilted. He seemed to read her wanting to speak and that curve of his lips only invited her. It looked like some ‘well?’ and it was frustrating. 

 

Juleka’s eyes narrowed and she slowly stood up from her creaking chair, moving towards him. She stared into his gleaming eyes and slowly tilted her head up to look down on him. Like how he did at the party. Their eye contact burning into each others in a silent argument of superiority.

 

And oh how He didn’t like that. And she could feel the confused gaze of the many actors and helpers around them searing into her skin. Making her itch. But she didn’t care. Juleka felt her eyes thin as she spoke-

 

“Well, don’t look down on the ones not performing just yet.” Juleka said carefully, though she felt a rise in her voice she herself wasn’t expecting “We’ll be the ones making your performance good.”

 

She wondered if that Pierre kid was paying attention, he better have. She was making sure he wasn’t going to be a little shit. Glancing back she could see his face had brightened a little. Great.

 

“And of course I’m not looking down on our production team. Don’t assume things.” Adam said smoothly, his face not making a single crack in composure. “They’re the most valued part.”

 

However, Juleka could feel a small trickle of irritation coming from him, as he forced himself to become defensive. Juleka took that as a sign of victory for herself, he seemed to as well much to his frustration.

 

Adam continued, “The performance will speak for itself, with me leading it..”

 

Juleka let out a sigh as Adam slithered to the actor’s group, his voice picking back up as he lead them around with their assignments and lines, leaving the goth to stand with the others.

 

Marinette was bustling around idea,s bouncing them off of Lila who was mouthing about how good her art was, blah blah blah, whilst talking about the potential sets she was hoping to make- but Juleka couldn’t focus on that. Just her Rose across the room.

 

I am obsessed. I am a creep. God how petty can I be?

 

Her grip tightened on nothing, just squeezing tightly to the ring clinging to her finger as she glared holes into the young man beside Rose, the young man with stretching antlers, and a hide she wanted to dig her claws into and rip apart into bloody shreds. Juleka’s eyes thinned.

 

What had she gotten herself into..

 

 

Notes:

Adam is so fun to write I hate him

Uh, right, so semi filler, semi not. Next chapter is an actual episode lol.

Chapter 41: Despair Bear

Summary:

Upupupu?

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

“Scram loser!”

 

Adrien’s face fell before his hands planted on his hips and he stared down on Chloe who’s nose was still high in the air, wrinkled with disgust as a flustered student stumbled past her.

 

”Chloe!” He scolded “What the heck!?”

 

”What? They were in our way!” Chloe barked back.

 

”That wasn’t kind at all! It wasn’t their fault!” Adrien’s eyes narrowed, Chloe just tsked, though seemed to be rubbing a low wound but didn’t back down.

 

”I’m getting better Adrien! Maybe that person was just being sensitive!” Chloe huffed, crossing her arms. It reminded Adrien of her mom. And it made his stomach twist.

 

”Why do I even bother..” Adrien sighed, walking off as Chloe’s face fell, though not looking back as he searched for his friends.

 

...

 

Those words stuck to Chloe still through the day like a scalding burn.

 

And she wasn’t even able to bring it up and tell Panthera about it when said cat hero came by in her weekly visit. And thus it rubbed with her even further as she counted down the minutes till Panthera would no doubt have to leave.

 

“Thanks again for this.” Chloe spoke up as she squeezed Mr Cuddly close to her chest. Look she’d be using the body pillow but Panthera was right there and Panthera liked to tease her about it and today was not the day.

 

”Of course” Panthera replied, turning a page of her book.

 

”It’s not... too much trouble right?” She asked a little nervously.

 

Panthera’s ear twitched and looked up at Chloe curiously. The blonde watched as the cat hero put down her book and stretched from her comfortable yet strange position on the chaise. Seriously someone needed to teach this girl to sit straight. Wait-

 

”Now when has it ever been ‘too much trouble’?” Panthera purred questioningly, snapping Chloe’s mind out of her mental chair sitting dispute.

 

”I always assumed it was.” Chloe murmured, leaning on her elbow. Panthera just hummed, sitting up a little as her ear twitched.

 

”And why’d you think that?” Panthera carefully asked. Ah, there was the therapist voice. Chloe hated that voice but god did it work like a fucking charm.

 

”Today-“ Chloe started weakly before groaning. God she hated admitting stuff- “-Kinda was an ass to some kid. I mean I think they deserved it- but..”

 

”But?”

 

”..Adrien, my friend, he was there and he was disappointed in me cause I did that.” Chloe said dryly “I’m scared I’m gonna lose his friendship..”

 

Panthera thought on that.

 

”Its just one mistake.” She reasoned.

 

”One mistake out of years I’ve made!” Chloe exclaimed, waving her arms “Years of bullying that he only learnt I made this year! Now he knows and sees me be an awful person on the regular and I’m gonna lose him and-“

 

”Hey hey, it’s okay. Slow your roll.” Panthera said smoothly, stopping Chloe’s babbling in her tracks as she held up a hand. “One, you’re not an awful person-“ Doubt “-two, he’s a nice guy and clearly your history is pretty thick. Maybe this is just him putting his foot down and not him abandoning you?”

 

Chloe sucked a breath through her teeth, she mumbled ”I still want to fix this..”

 

Panthera hummed “Then- I might have an idea? I figured it’d be on suit with you but if you don’t-“

 

”I’ll take any advice from you.” Chloe quickly spoke, Panthera’s tail twitched curiously.

 

”Right, okay? Then I was thinking maybe you’d vibe well if you threw a..”

 

...

 

..a party! How genius. Though the whole inviting all the little twerps in her class she knew seemed problematic, what Panthera said ought to work. Had to. It proved how nice she was! Haha!

 

She greeted everyone, She gave Kim a dance, shoved Alya at Marinette and didn’t laugh too loud when the two hit the ground, got Nino to DJ his.. not horrible songs(see look she’s good!), She even asked help from her Butler Jean... whatever his name was! He was always helpful! But- well- his method of helping-

 

“I’m not a child- could you not embarrass me in front of these people!” Chloe hissed through her teeth in the kitchen. She hated the fact that there were tears burning in her eyes.

 

Apparently, Mr Butler Jean here figured that the way to help her not be an ass in front of her classmates, in front of Adrien, was to use her toy Mr Cuddly as an example of what she shouldn’t have been doing.

 

In front of everyone.

 

Internally Chloe was still screaming but externally she was already making a sound not unlike a kettle as she bit her tongue, trying to not shriek ‘YOU’RE FIRED’ cause god she knew she could but Panthera would hate her if she did that.

 

Oh god. Panthera would hate her now for failing wouldn’t she? God dang it Chloe you had one job you did horribly. You were right you’re an awful person and unexceptional child why did you even try this is why Adrien will leave you why Sabrina will finally get sick of you and why Mom-

 

But damn it damn it this was supposed to fix things! Not make things shittier! Did Chloe do something wrong? She had to. Maybe trying to imitate Marinette was the worse decision in efforts to be ‘nicer’, it did make people slightly confused and mortified in a way.. 

 

But come on Marinette was perfect how could that fail-

 

And then, Chloe came to her conclusion. The math clicked in her brain and it made her shoulders fall and her stomach twist.

 

Maybe she was just naturally awful. Maybe she was the problem.

 

Jean’s voice at this moment finally passed through her ears again, just in time for her ready to throw up from the swirling in her mind-

 

”Ms Bourgeois I’m so sorry, I thought it would help-“

 

”Just get. Out.” Chloe growled

 

”..Yes Ma’am.”

 

The soft shuttering of the closing doors echoed through the room. Leaving her to stir in silence. 

 

Chloe sighed, breathing in and out as she stomped out of the kitchen, her heart disgusting and heavy, as she opted to maybe hiding in her room for the rest of eternity. If there were any kinds of fucking butterflies coming after her as she swore she was going to fucking tear them apart with her own teeth.

 

”Oh, are you not coming back to the party?”

 

Chloe yelped, swerving around as she nearly stumbled to the ground from the Shock, coming face to face with- wh-what?

 

”Julia?” Chloe tilted her head to the side. Look she’s on the verge of a breakdown, does your mind work when it’s on the verge of a breakdown? Yes? Fuck you.

 

”Juleka.” The goth girl corrected, a little perplexed but brushing the name flub off. She leaned on the wall “I saw what happened, with that uh, little stuff animal?”

 

”Who didn’t? You gonna make fun of me for it?” Chloe spat. Juleka just put her hands up in a calm surrender.

 

”Nah, but I got like, second hand embarrassment from that so I came out here to destress. If that makes sense.” Juleka mumbled weakly, twiddling a finger through her hair. “That uh, that looked like it sucked.”

 

”What clued you in on that?” Chloe drawled, rolling her eyes. Juleka chuffed, choosing to not answer.

 

”I also was watching you try and be on ‘good behavior’” She added “So uh, what was up with that?” Juleka rose an eyebrow.

 

”Shouldn’t you be creeping in the corner or staring at Rosie’s back or something?” Chloe shot back, gripping her sides. Her stomach dropped as Juleka’s eyes narrowed dangerously.

 

”Her name is Rose.” Juleka’s voice lowered viciously, kicking off of the walk and stalking towards her “And I can tell you’re in a piss ass mood but would you just calm yourself for one goddamn second before you say something you really regret?”

 

Chloe paled as she stumbled backwards, as Juleka hung over her face. It felt like she had fallen into the trap of some vampire, neck exposed. Or a lion’s den, with no where to run. Juleka’s eyes were thin and cold, and she burned with a bloodlust Chloe could practically smell.

 

Juleka sucked in a breath, and sighed heavily, kicking at the ground, and like that that moment of genuine fear was gone as the gothic girl pulled backwards and shoved her hands into her pockets. Chloe could barely hear the soft counting Juleka was mumbling as she inhaled and exhaled slowly, calming down.

 

Chloe’s mind went backwards a few months. To picture day. Damn picture day. Juleka not only literally scaled a bathroom stall to overcome her.. she saved her despite what she had done.. and.. she.. invited her to their park picture anyways.

 

She knew she wasn’t invited for a reason, she remembered watching from the trees with a trembling Sabrina, who was taking a fall with her she didn’t completely deserve, and yet when Juleka saw her.. she extended a hand.

 

God this girl’s entire existence just made Chloe feel sick.

 

”Are you calmer now?” Juleka’s voice cut through her mind “I- Cause- Cause I am, sorry I got mad. That was mean.. and weird of me to growl at you like that.”

 

”I- it’s fine.” Chloe said, stepping back a little as she glanced up at Juleka a little nervously. “S-S-Sorry. For getting your little girlfriend’s name wrong.”

 

”She’s-“ Juleka coughed, scratching at her neck uncomfortably “She’s not my girlfriend but- thanks for apologizing.”

 

Chloe kicked at the ground “Yeah, well, whatever. What’re you still doing here?”

 

Juleka’s eyebrows knitted together as she looked Chloe up and down carefully, studying her for a moment before speaking finally in that all too quiet voice.

 

”Uh, I dunno, why’re you?”

 

Wow answering a question with a question. How smooth, Miss Draculaura looking ass..

 

”This party is utterly a disaster that’s what!” Chloe somehow found herself breaking. “I tried to make this just, as fucking exceptional as possible. But it didn’t end that way. It just went, it just went to shit. And I embarrassed myself. I shouldn’t have even tried..”

 

”Hey now-“ Juleka’s voice lifted up a little “-It wasn’t a disaster-“

 

”It was!” Chloe exclaimed, her eyes stinging with tears as all the bottled up stress and rage began to bubble over “I was really riding on this to work! To fix everything! My friendship shit- my relationship with Adrien- with my classmates-“

 

”Chloe not everything can be fixed in one day..” Juleka said softly,

 

”I didn’t want to let Panthera Noire down..” Chloe whimpered, her words just falling out of her mouth without a care, not stopping for anything even reasonable “I was supposed to do good for her..”

 

”Well, I think Panthera wouldn’t want you to do this for her. I think she’d want you to do this cause.. she thinks you’d enjoy it? And she wanted you to connect with your classmates and be better in a way that was comfortable with you?” Juleka suggested carefully.

 

Chloe blinked widely at her, pausing. Oh. That was.. a thought. Wait a minute- I just spilt my secret about knowing knowing Panthera and-

 

”I don’t- well I mean- that’s just what I think from hearing that. It’s kinda cool though, I guess. That she came to visit you like that and give you advice.” Juleka smiled softly, distracting Chloe from that spiral “-But I think you should focus on being better for you. Not cause you want to impress her. You want to be better... r-right?”

 

Juleka stared at her with that one gentle copper eye, as if she was reading Chloe’s entire form and Chloe suddenly felt very raw and naked despite the very fact she knew and felt she was clothed.

 

It urged Chloe to answer but her words couldn’t come out of her mouth.

 

She did want to get better right? Or was this some big thing her mind was tricking her with telling her she just wanted Panthera’s attention. Her admiration. Her faith in her so Chloe could feel that gratifying feeling that someone believed in her. That someone cared. That someone saw her and saw something that was worth wasted time.

 

Chloe wondered if what people thought of her mattered, if how she thought of people mattered. As long as Panthera smiled at her so kindly- she felt her hands tighten at her side as she felt a sense of guilt weigh down her chest. No..

 

Adrien.. Sabrina.. Alix.. she hurt them due to her.. her.. selfishness. Her carelessness. She didn’t want to do that anymore. She did want to get better.

 

”I.. I just figured.. if I did whatever Panthera told me.. it’d work out.” Chloe admitted, tugging at the end of her clothes “I really trust her, she’s- she’s a good friend, I’m just afraid she’ll be mad or disappointed I didn’t do it her way.”

 

That made Juleka quiet, leaning on her cheek, thinking. Chloe could see her open her mouth for a moment, as if looking for the things to say, before her teeth clicked together again. After what felt like hours, as Chloe felt her eyes sting with tears- Juleka spoke.

 

”I don’t think that the point.” Juleka said, tucking a hair behind her ear “I think- Panthera Noire would be happier if you did your way. If you did it the Chloe way.”

 

”The ‘Chloe way’ hurts people.” Chloe spat, her eyes narrowing. The ‘Chloe way’ featured her giving backhanded compliments, pushing people away so they wouldn’t even hear the first insult, and never talking in general which just left her ignored while others savored her silence.

 

”Well then you can improve the Chloe way?” Juleka suggested, tilting her head to the side a little. “I just- you looked- really uncomfortable today. Like you had a stick up your ass. That’s not how to live your life.”

 

”Well what else am I supposed to do. I made a party. Told my butler to watch me fail at being a decent fucking person which just embarrassed me more lashing out at h-him. What- what else can I do to- to- fucking make this exceptional? What can I do to be exceptional in their eyes?” Chloe asked bitterly, glaring up at Juleka, before her face fell at her expression.

 

Oh god. Please don’t look at me like that.

 

Juleka’s soft gentle copper eyes were somehow so familiar, it was unearthly. But it made a rush of sadness and stress start to break from her chest, resulting in Chloe feeling a tidalwave of emotions break through those hardened bramble and thorn walls surrounding her heart.

 

She choked on her tears and just, collapsed on the ground, covering her face.

 

”I don’t know what else to do.. I just- I just wish Panthera was here..” Chloe mumbled weakly into her hands. A long silence filled the small hallway, she felt so.. weak. It was just like Princess Prom..

 

She and Alix had bumped into eachother then. The music and lights drowned out by the soft moonlight drifting through the window next to them. Chloe wanted to give her the letter- wanted to tell her sorry for everything and more- wanted to ask if they could hang out again- that she cared- and then that fucking akuma showed up and turned Alix into glitter and streamers.

 

Chloe sighed, and even after, she lost the fucking letter! No it was not a love confession! Fuck off Panthera and Cesaire- and agh those stupid other thoughts in her mind! She wasn’t even friends with Alix again what was she thinking!

 

Jeez. Always the overly emotional person. Perhaps you should just shut it down, let autopilot take over.. A voice whispered in her mind. You’ve got an amazing future already whether or not you play nice to people.. you don’t have to do all of this unnecessary business..

 

That.. that was true. But Chloe-

 

She sniffled.

 

-Chloe wanted to. She wanted to deserve the friendships and romance she craved. Just as much as she wanted her mother to love her but, jeez, how long has she even see her mom?

 

Without photos, or recent articles of her in the news, Chloe wouldn’t have seen her mother’s face in over a decade. Not without remembering the blurry face of dissatisfaction and disappointment..

 

The blonde blinked with surprise as Juleka knelt in front of her and gingerly patted a hand on Chloe’s head, making Chloe unceremoniously drop into Juleka’s shoulder and shake.

 

How ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. She shouldn’t be comforted by a girl like her. But maybe Chloe needed to stoop down a little? How unexceptional of her..

 

“You were trying so hard to be kind, you did so well. But don’t force yourself to be someone you’re not.” Juleka murmured, stroking a hand so kindly through her hair, so experienced at the art of comfort Chloe wasn’t sure what to do “That never ends well”

 

”I don’t know what to do.. b-but I’m just trying.. and I wanna do good..”

 

”I know.. I know..”

 

”I wanna do good.. to make her proud of me for doing g-good, I wanna make them proud of me for doing good, I don’t want to lose any of them, but I-“

 

Chloe doesn’t know when she stopped babbling, or what she was babbling about. But she couldn’t stop the hot wet tears running down her face with dark mascara streaks as Juleka just stroked a gentle hand through her hair which felt like the kindest thing in the universe.

 

...

 

Butler Jean stared in shock and horror at the sight of the young Chloe crying, anger boiling in his chest as he glared holes through that beanstalk girl with that grungey terrible clothing..! She made his little girl cry how dare.

 

And how dare she scold him for doing his best? He shouldn’t have been surprised either. God what was he thinking she was just a child he shouldn’t have been so irrationally angry but he just was.

 

His hand gripped tightly to Mr Cuddley, he was so sure her favorite childhood toy would help, w-what went wrong? This goth girl.. that’s what. He hardly noticed the dark tendrils slithering through his mind from the toy through his arms- as Hawkmoth’s voice was barely audible to is pounding head.

 

All he knew was that he accepting would let him do what the butler does, and take out the trash...

 

”With great pleasure.. sir.”

 

...

 

Eventually it came to a hiccuping end and Chloe pulled away weakly, Juleka just calmly brushing Chloe off as the two sat together in the hall. Chloe felt a sense of deja vu but she ignored it.

 

”You good?”

 

”Yeah.”

 

”Cool.” Juleka mumbled, nodding awkwardly, twisting the ring around her finger “Me Ma says a good cry fixes most thing so as long as ye get yer butt back up anyways.”

 

”What’s with the pirate talk?” Chloe tilted her head but Juleka ignored her.

 

”I don’t think Panthera would be disappointed in you if you didn’t do everything her way, but I think she’d feel real bad that she made you do something you weren’t vibin’ with.” Juleka continued, before smiling weakly “In fact I think she’d be ecstatic that you found just happiness in you. If that makes sense?”

 

Juleka laughed awkwardly, it was the first time Chloe thinks she’s ever heard the goth girl make such a laugh. She always seemed to loom in the corner talking to no one but that Rose.

 

”But hey what do I know? I’m not her.”

 

Chloe pursed her lips. That was true. But... her eye caught on Juleka’s poor shirt stopping her mind a bit.

 

”Ah, I got, I got makeup on you.”

 

”Oh.” Juleka looked down “That’s fine, nothing a quick dash of water can’t help. Uh- do you know where the bathroom is? I don’t know my way around the hotel haha..”

 

Chloe pointed to the door on the right ”It’s right there.”

 

Juleka turned, her mouth going into a small ‘o’ before she made her way over, pausing at the door.

 

”Don’t lock me inside.” Juleka cheekily snorted, making Chloe wince as she weakly wiped at her still wet eyes and stared down at her mascara covered hands and made her way after Juleka, taking the sink next to her to wash her hands off.

 

”Yeah.. I’m-“ Her voice caught on her throat before she swallowed it down “-I’m sorry I did that to you. That wasn’t- that wasn’t fair for you. I was jealous”

 

”Thanks. I appreciate the apology.” Juleka just responded, glancing at her “Ah, you’re a mess.”

 

Chloe waited as Juleka gingerly took some towels, muttering something about rich people before pouring some water on it and dabbing at her eyes, softly wiping away both her tears and her streaks of black imperfections on her face.

 

”Wow. Thanks.” Chloe said dryly. 

 

”You're welcome, never seen you without make up before.” Juleka smiled, leaning on the sink as she looked over Chloe’s face “Do you actually carry makeup on you everywhere you go?”

 

”No? Not when I’m home.” Chloe rose an eyebrow. Juleka nodded, muttering something on the lines of ‘right, you live here, how convienent’ “I just opt to just, you know, go to my room?”

 

”Cool cause like- I do? Bring makeup with me that is. And I was gonna use yours if you had it but I’ve been wanting to do your makeup cause blue eyeshadow just doesn’t work for you-“ Juleka slapped a hand over her mouth “-shit- sorry I should’nt have said that. That was mean-“

 

Chloe just blinked owlishly at her. No one had ever really.. insulted her makeup before. She just kinda assumed it was fine but..

 

Now remembering a bit more, Chloe remembered Juleka being part of the Horrificator film crew, doing Adrien’s make up so deftly and carefully, like one of those skilled.. makeuppers? Is that a word? That her dad would hire for formal events. 

 

”You could.” Chloe decided

 

”Wha?”

 

”I mean, I wouldn’t mind if you did my makeup..” Chloe mumbled, tugging at her hair “Does this.. make us friends?”

 

Juleka paused, looking at her with her gentle copper eyes “You want to be friends?”

 

Chloe shrugged, her tongue immediately ready to spit out ‘No, peasant. Why would I want to be friends with you-‘ but she held her breath to say what she really wanted. What she needed..

 

”Yeah. I guess.” Chloe shrugged, scratching the back of her neck. Juleka sucked in a breath before just- Nodding. It didn’t seem judgmental, just, surprised.

 

”Okay.” Juleka nodded, a small smile going across her lips “Yeah. I’d- I’d like that. To be your friend. Uhm, so, I left my bag with Rose and that should have things in it? We can go get it right now?”

 

Chloe.. would also like that. Yeah.

 

”Okay.”

 

And that’s when the party went to shit. Uh. Again.

 

...

 

Hi. Yeah. Juleka is like the only one here who technically knew how this party came to be but she has no idea how this spiraled into what it became. And she’s kinda exhausted. She wasn’t really a party girl anyways, so that was sucking the life out of her.

 

Why the hell she suggested Chloe to throw a party you ask? That just seemed like something Chloe would be okay with! But god of course Juleka just ruined it more for Chloe. God she was awful, I’m not allowed to complain I fucked this up for her.

 

Sending a quick text to Rose saying Chloe needed some new makeup stat- Juleka let out a breath. I really royally screwed this up. But how the hell do I apologize to her? Should I at all?

 

Honestly speaking, Juleka was ready for the party to blow up from how this was going but Juleka was not expecting Sabrina to come charging at them the moment she and her friend(holy shit I’m friends with Chloe, like, as Juleka! What the heck. How did this even fucking happen?!) Chloe, walked into the room-

 

Working on her Panthera instincts immediately she shoved Chloe backwards and yelped as she ducked under Sabrina swinging her hair brush hand at Juleka’s face.

 

”S-Sabrina.!?” Juleka hissed, but that girl’s face was blank. Only a forced stretching smile going across her lips as her vibrant green eyes.. glowed?

 

Okay glowing eyes aren’t normal, and Sabrina’s eyes were teal last time she checked, this was totally not Normal. Which Juleka could tell even without said ginger girl taking swings at her head.

 

”Sabrina cut it out what’re you doing!?” Chloe exclaimed in confusion. Juleka knocked Sabrina’s brush out of her hands and raised a hand up to slap her out of the way, but was met with a yelp of surprise coming from Sabrina.

 

”J-Juleka? What am I-“ Her eyes were back to normal. So that was something. But-

 

Juleka yelped, suddenly being yoinked off the ground. Her head twisted around to see Kim’s green blank eyes as his arms held around her torso and suddenly she was sent flying into the ball pit head first. Ow. Okay. What the fuck.

 

Poking her head out finally, the party was in chaos and party goers were running everywhere. Her eyes narrowed in on the bear with matching green glowing eyes attached to Kim’s leg. That had to be it. Great. So like, where the hell does she go?

 

Slipping out, she masked herself with the screaming people and slid out to the stairwell door, glancing around to make sure no one saw her, which no one did as usual, making one check to see if Marinette was gone, and where Chloe was. And also Rose. Rose was safe. Thank god.

 

Plagg shot out of her hair the moment they saw the stairwell was empty.

 

“Can’t stop doing that even without the suit, can’t you, kitten?” Plagg teased. Juleka just chuffed at him. Not having the energy to argue today.

 

After going up a floor to make sure if someone walked in she wouldn’t be caught immediately, they gave a look to eachother and she transformed. Panthera Time mother fuckers. Let’s party.

 

The cat hero froze immediately as she heard a door open and she tilted her head oh so over the railing and saw Marinette, covering her mouth as she heard the soft sounds of- ‘Spots on!’ and then the slamming open of door opening again.

 

Okay. Cool, not going through that door.

 

Looking to the side, Juleka sighed and opened the door she was right next to on her floor and took the long way down... great. Panthera time.. stalled.

 

...

 

Chloe stumbled backwards as a wildly grinning Kim yanked her into a forceful dance, a forced grin stretching across his dance.

 

”Why don’t we dance, Chlokins?” His voice barked out, though it sounded forced, and strained. Chloe scowled, trying to pull herself away in disgust only to send her spiraling around in dizzying circles. Oh god she hated this! Someone fucking help her! “You having fun?”

 

”Chloe!” Adrien shouted with worry

 

”Get your hands off of me damn it!” Chloe snapped, before getting exactly what she want in the worst way possible, as Kim twirled her around and launched her into the fucking air.

 

Chloe screamed, waving her arms around helplessly before the whizzing of a familiar yo-yo filled her ears and she was pulled down into the ball pit. Chloe’s head popped, spitting out one of from her mouth with a huff as she looked up at her shining hero fo glory.

 

”Ladybug! What took you so long?” She barked. Ladybug just sighed, though the playful smile on her face made Chloe feel safer in her presence.

 

”Nothing much, ‘Chlokins’” Ladybug teased, making Chloe blush and recede back into the ball pit from embarrassment. Not Kim however had plans as he grimaced and shot forward, before tripping through the air and getting launched into the ball pit head first, setting the teddybear attached to his leg slapping into the wall.

 

Kim’s legs twitched and Chloe could hear the muffled sounds of ‘I’m okay!’ from within the pit. Turning around Chloe grinned as the party found the source of Kim’s trip up.

 

”A slippery floor, don’t you think?” Panthera Noire purred. A cry of what could only be described as a crowd of fan girls erupted from around them and Chloe couldn’t help but squeal a little too, before she felt the short twist in her stomach again.

 

She’s gonna know how I failed so bad..

 

Panthera glanced at her, giving a soft gentle wave.

 

And back to the battle they went as Chloe stumbled her way out of the ball pit and watched with the crowd of in awe teens as the ladybug and cat hero shot to a corner where they thought the bear went, becoming suddenly bombarded by Max of all people, throwing chairs at them as ‘Despair Bear’ spoke through him.

 

”How about a little game of flying chairs?” He barked, throwing another one at Panthera who just cocked her head to the side, dodging it with ease and breaking another with a swinging leg.

 

Lasybug threw her yo-yo forward, only for it to catch on Max’s Bear-less ankle and sending the poor boy sprawling on the ground as the akuma just got away. Where is he?

 

Seconds later, Chloe stuttered backwards with the crowd as their screams continued when Alya shot from the crowd and lunged at Ladybug, eyes blank and glowing green, thrown in a lock too late as Alya blinked in confusion, already free.

 

Chloe hated being a bystander. But what was she ever gonna do? It’s not like she was a hero.

 

Chloe’s eyes couldn’t catch up to the crawling thing until a loud roar shook the party room and they all swerved around to see a rabid Ivan, with the bear parasite attached to his leg, as he lifted an entire pool table over his head, ready to chuck it at everyone.

 

But Panthera was faster, sliding in front of the group of innocents, sending a quick wink at the many girls whom swooned in her presence before she cracked the table in half with her staff and banged it up Ivan’s face, sending him falling backwards before his normal eyes opened in confusion.

 

”What happened-“

 

The party gasped in growing anticipation and fear, eyes glancing around as the cry of ‘where is he’ echoed everywhere. Chloe noticed it first, but that itself was too late. As Panthera’s body cracked- and then moved on its own- shooting towards Ladybug’s arm and twisting it backwards.

 

Ladybug shouted in pain and the party began to scream again as Paris’s hero was taken over. And a horrible chill went up Chloe’s spine to see Panthera Noire in such a state.

 

”Pretty earrings..” Panthera licked her teeth, and lunged for Ladybug’s ears. The red hero barely dodged, and Chloe’s breath shook and stuttered every moment Panthera’s claws came close to Ladybug’s body.

 

”Panthera it’s me! Stop it!” Ladybug cried, her arm unable to free itself from Panthera’s no doubt crushing grasp before she managed to swing around the cat hero’s body into another lock. “SOMEONE GET THE BEAR!” Ladybug cried

 

Chloe was about to shoot forward and help. She had to! Deep in her gut everything screamed for her to help- but Panthera only spoke that one terrible word that made the party freeze-

 

“Cataclysm..”

 

No!

 

Chloe broke from the party’s shared paralysis as she ran straight towards them. At any moment, Panthera- Despair Bear- would see her and could swipe those deadly claws burning with energy of destruction, turning her face to ash, or worse, Ladybug’s-

 

“Paws off Kitty!” Chloe growled, grabbing on Panthera’s tail and yanking her to the side, throwing her off balance and into a couch. Chloe watched with wheezing breath as Panthera’s hand touched the couch, sending her thumping on the floor as it turned to ash.

 

For a few brief moments there was temporary peace and Chloe caught her breath. Well damn. She did it.!

 

”Thank you, you saved me there.” Ladybug smiled kindly at her, Chloe brightened at the praise though she quickly waved a hand.

 

”Y-Yeah of course I did!”

 

Ladybug rolled her eyes. Well, messed that up, oh well.

 

“Lucky charm!”

 

Chloe closed her eyes before opening them in awe- and then immediate disappointment as a- what’re it called- one of those grill skewer thingys with the two prongs? She had no idea what it was but she also had no idea how that was going to help!

 

”A grill.. thing? I forgot the name of this.” Ladybug deadpanned “What am I supposed to do with this?”

 

Truly saying what everyone is thinking.

 

”Naughty naughty, little girls..”

 

Chloe and Ladybug swerved around in fear as Panthera got up from the withering ashes of the once.. well.. not alive couch. But actually existing couch.

 

”It doesn’t matter if little Panthera Noire here gets timed out-“ Despair Bear hissed, “-what matters is little Chloe learns her lesson and Ladybug hands over her miraculous, once that’s done, Panthera’s ring is already secure!”

 

Ladybug glanced at Panthera’s beeping ring “Then I’ll defeat you quick!”

 

Despair Bear growled, and pounced forward after Ladybug who immediately turned tail towards the roof. Chloe bit her lip. She had to help somehow- this was her butler, her ruined party, and her friend after all-

 

Reaching the roof, Chloe was met with the sight of Panthera’s body and Ladybug quite literally ducking it out. That sight on its own was almost unsettling to Chloe. These two were partners. They shouldn’t have been fighting. But the reminder Panthera wasn’t in control calmed her stress.

 

Chloe ducked behind an umbrella to hide, trying to figure out how to help when suddenly Ladybug’s yo-yo came wizzing towards one of the umbrella’s kegs.

 

”Chloe!” Ladybug shouted, blocking Panthera’s arm “Would you be so kind?” She asked, swirling her finger around in circles. Chloe glanced up at the umbrella and down at where the yo-yo string leg, smiling as she saw it go through one of Despair Bear’s seams.

 

”Okay Ladybug!” Chloe grinned, grabbing ahold of the umbrella’s pole and spinning it in circles. She watched as the corrupted form of her doll unraveled into nothing but a long string of yarn before her eyes and in a sudden jerk of movement, the head came off of Panthera’s leg and the arm coming down onto Ladybug’s face paused, as did the rest of Panthera who stood up straight in confusion,

 

”Partner? What happened? What’d you do?” Panthera wondered in confusion. Chloe grinned from behind them, hugging the umbrella pole as she stared at the two heroes. Ladybug smiled.

 

”Nothing much Kitty, just saving your butt with our little sidekick!” Ladybug winked, and Chloe blinked with surprise as Ladybug motioned towards her. Then Panthera turned to her and suddenly Chloe felt very small.

 

”Sidekick huh?” Panthera murmured, before slowly smiling “You helped save my butt huh, Bourgeois? I’m proud of you. You did good.”

 

Chloe beamed at the praise before her shoulders fell with disappointment and shame.

 

”I didn't do the most exceptional..” She responded, her block locks falling over her face as she became very interested in the ground.

 

”Doing your best is all that matters to me, Chloe. And from what I’ve seen, you’ve done a good job.” Panthera responded “I mean- I wasn’t here for any the party, but whether or not it was utterly a disaster or not, did you at least have any fun?”

 

Chloe paused, before a soft smile went across her lips.

 

”Yeah, I did and.. I think I made a friend? Weird experience over all.. sorry if I- if I disappointed you cause this whole party didn’t end up as you probably hoped it would for me.. but.. I think this was good. And- I’m glad this happened. And I’m glad for myself?” Chloe tilted her head

 

Panthera smiled as Ladybug held up the captured akumatized man, barely two inches high as he screamed with anger, and excused herself to fix him up. Panthera glanced back at Chloe with those warm gentle green eyes and nodded.

 

”Oh Chloe, that’s all I wanted.”

 

...

 

After Butler Jean... jeez Chloe needed to learn his name, was cured, the two quietly apologized to eachother, he pulled Chloe into a gentle hug and just told her he was proud of her development. And he was so grateful for being able to watch her grow.

 

She denied any tears she may have shed.

 

And back to the party she went, Panthera Noire and Ladybug disappearing just as quickly as they arrived. No doubt returning to their lives. Chloe wondered what they were doing tonight.

 

It was when Adrien pulled her over to talk that her heart started to race from nervousness again. And she felt that surge of imperfection come over her again as the two settled near the balcony to talk again.

 

”Hey Chlo.” Adrien smiled at her, as Chloe leaned next to him, both staring quietly at the Parisian night.

 

”Hey.” Chloe said back, sucking in an uneasy breath “I-I made this party for you.”

 

”Really? Why”

 

Chloe’s hands felt clammy as she fumbled with them “I got, mean at someone.”

 

Adrien rose an eyebrow “Not very a new..”

 

Chloe cringed and nodded “Y-Yeah. I know. Which is why I tried to do this party, I, I wanna stop hurting you guys. I wanna stop hurting you with these, just, these just bad things.”

 

Adrien’s face softened as she choked out her words-

 

“I’m afraid of losing you Adrien.. I really really am, it terrifies me. So I really just, wanted to make an effort today.. to show I’m trying? I just, hope it was enough.” Chloe mumbled, staring down at the streets below. ‘You’re the only friend that.. completely, utterly, gets me.”

 

Adrien pulled her into a soft hug “Oh Chloe..”

 

”You’re family, Adrien.. I can’t lose more family..”

 

Adrien linked their pinkies together “I’m never leaving you Chloe, don’t you worry.”

 

Chloe sniffled, “T-Thank you.”

 

There the two just, stayed for a bit. In eachother’s presence. Luckily no streaking makeup already on her face to wash off with her tears. Ah. Right. Her makeup.

 

Making her way halfway across the party, looking for Juleka, she found herself bumping into someone else however. Someone she wasn’t sure she had the mental capacity talking to right now.

 

”Chloe.” Alix greeted curtly 

 

“Kubdel.” Chloe nodded, doing her best not to choke on her voice “Uh, so how’s the party been?”

 

Alix snorted “Other than the whole akuma thing, not bad Bourgeois. Glad to see you’re back to normal, from what I can tell, Marinette’s personality doesn’t look good with your face.”

 

Chloe just scoffed, rolling her eyes as Alix let out a laugh.

 

”Though I will say, you look nice without your makeup. Kinda pretty,” Chloe paused, looking back at Alix who was casually kicking at the floor, and gave her a casual shrug “I’ll see you later, Chlo”

 

Chloe felt a soft rush of pink go to her cheeks at those words and just waved, her voice fumbling “Y-Yeah, see ya.”

 

And with that, Alix disappeared through the crowds again. Chloe wasn’t able to control her shaking hands the rest of the time, much to Juleka’s concern as she taught her how to better use her make up brushes.

 

But hey, at least she didn’t need to use any blush at the moment, as her cheeks were already bright pink.

 

God she was a dumb mess.

 

 

Notes:

One of the biggest pieces of evidence I’ve found that supports the fact that Chloe either doesn’t deserve redemption or had a chance at it was that “Chloe doesn’t want to be better because she wants to be better but because she wants to be a hero.”
And like, that’s true. In canon. So I wanted to explore that more especially in this Au? Despite how much I hate canon, Chloe’s got baggage I didn’t want to wave it off so soon even though she’s getting help in this.

Anyways
I hope you guys liked this chapter sorry it took a while.

Rip Juleka’s Screen Time, this was very much a Chloe Chapter lol. What was Juleka doing the party you ask? She was vibing in the “we hate parties” corner with Nathaniel cause she was done dancing to one song with Rose who settled herself with the snacks.

Chapter 42: Riposte

Summary:

Stabby MacStabbington

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

”Ow.”

 

Juleka rubbed the back of her head as the student walked by, wooden board resting on their shoulder not moving a bit from where it whacked over her head. They hadn’t noticed her.

 

”Guess no sorry then..” She mumbled.

 

”Are you okay?”

 

Juleka yelped, nearly dropping the clipboard in her hands. She fumbled with it, double checking she hadn’t dropped anything, before turning to Rose with a weak smile.

 

”Totally, just a few brain cells.” Juleka chuckled, “How about you?”

 

”Adam called a break” Rose replied, taking a sip from a water bottle “I’ve got less acting to do technically but it’s mostly lines. He wants to work with some people for their ‘action scenes’ but Adrien isn’t here.”

 

”He’s going to fencing practice tomorrow” Marinette spoke up from the beneath them, Juleka and Rose skittered around as the fashion designer hauled herself to her feet. Previously busy with some painting of what looked like a castle set up. “And his dad said he might as well skip today’s stuff sense he’s gonna be busy tomorrow.”

 

”That seems redundant.” Juleka chuffed, as Rose giggled.

 

”Right? That’s what I’ve been saying!” Nino whined, from his laptop “It’s like he’s keeping Adrien busy but like, with only the things he wants Adrien to be busy with.”

 

“How so?” Rose tilted her head

 

Nino made a sour face, deepening his voice “‘No Adrien, you can’t hang out with your friends today. You’re busy with being busy tomorrow. No it is not connected. No it doesn’t matter. And because you’re busy tomorrow you are thus too busy today.’ So uncool.”

 

Marinette nose scrunched up “He’s not that bad..”

 

“Mari, I get that Mr Agreste is like, your fashion hero, but he sucks ass at being a dad” Alya snorted. Marinette puffed her cheeks out but didn’t argue as the small group laughed.

 

“Adam actually requested you to meet up with him, Jules” Rose pepped up, before tapping a finger on her lip “Can’t help but wonder why.”

 

That made Juleka pause, her eyebrows narrowing with confusion.

 

”Me? Why?” She wondered, tilting her head.

 

”I dunno! But he was muttering about wanting your opinion on something! I think related to Adrien?” Rose shrugged, before smiling brightly as ever, her eyes shining “Isn’t that cool?”

 

Sure.

 

”Maybe I’ll check out tomorrow’s fencing practice then.” Juleka said. Can’t be that bad. Ma said Fencing was the pansies sport, and that if people wanted to play with swords, they should let loose without any rules. Juleka then reminded her that was semi illegal and her mother’s smile only got wider.

 

And so the drama club continued on, buzzing with work and thought. Adam’s voice carrying over and fastening the entire room’s attention every now and then, as his thundering voice commanded the stage.

 

Juleka would watch from the back corner of the room every time. Looking up from the small computer Max was once focused on, teaching her the lighting effects and what plans would be made before Adam too pulled him into his performance.

 

And more would Juleka bite her lip in slight agitation staring at the theatre club leader.

 

“Juleka you’re up for a scene, I’d like to talk to you once you’re done with that if that’s cool” Lila spoke up

 

”I gotta meet up with Adam or something.” Juleka mumbled, her eyes not leaving her work. “Sorry”

 

”Damn, good luck.”

 

Finishing her section of what was supposed to be a burning castle set up, she picked up her papers and stepped carefully across the sea of working kids to see Adam on the other side of the room, talking to Nathaniel and Ivan with his back to her.

 

”...And if you have the chance, please tell Adrien to change is script on page 54 and instead of ‘I’m more than you could ever imagine’ rewrite it as ‘Your understanding of me, can be compared to merely nothing. I am the anomaly that’ll rock the world.’? That would be great.”

 

Juleka spoke up, ”Adam-“

 

”JeEZ- you come out no where-“ Adam yelped, before hissing at her as he jerked around. He smoothed his shirt down as he waved the two boys off and gave a strained smile to her “I suppose you got Rose’s message.”

 

”Sure.” Juleka replied, her eyes narrowing at him “What do you want?”

 

”Straight to the point, fantastic, I heard from a little fox that your mom is.. eccentric.” Adam said carefully, Juleka’s eyes narrowed as she glanced backwards but nodded. Who told him? Lila? Fuck- Rose? That’s not really information I’d like people to really fucking know about-

 

Adam waved a hand, “You see- I want this play as authentic as possible, and while our dear darling Pirate king knows how to fence-“

 

”-I’m not a good teacher.” Juleka argued

 

”What you think doesn’t matter to me, just do it sense I know you can and you’re just putting yourself down.” Adam rolled his eyes. “I’m not going to pity you.”

 

Juleka’s throat went dry as she nodded. Right. Okay. Then.

 

”Teach him how to act more like a pirate. Do his and other of our actor’s makeup. Do the lights. That’s all I’m asking of you. Don’t make it a big deal.” Adam ordered, his eyes growing cold “The world is a stage, so play your part.”

 

Juleka watched him walk away, his face twisting into a beaming smile as he approached Rose in the back, giving a gentlemanly bow as she giggled happily at him.

 

“I’m sorry.. I can’t return your feelings Panthera.. I..” Rose sucked in an uneasy breath before softly speaking “I.. I love someone else.”

 

She clenched the papers in her hand with a low crunch. Okay. Yeah. I’ll play.

 

...

 

And so Juleka showed up to fencing class. And the fencing class after that, and the fencing class after that.

 

Sometimes Rose would come with her, finishing and doodling through her homework as the two waited for Adrien to be done so Juleka could ‘train’ him or whatever shit Adam thought she could do (Even though she genuinely knew jackshit about swordplay despite her time as Panthera..)

 

Juleka had no idea what she was doing but, Adrien and Rose seemed to enjoy the time? It was at least something else to do in her life. Besides punching villains. And Adrien was a nice dude. And Rose’s attention was her life source so, maybe this wasn’t so bad.

 

”Recount your lines!” Juleka reminded.

 

”Oh- shoot- right- Let it be known! The girl is mine!” Adrien shouted, biting a yelp as she swung near his face. She could see the mental calculations go through his brain and she couldn’t help but smile as he resisted the trained poise from his fencing to kick under her leg and send his thumping onto the ground.

 

It hurt. But it was awesome. As she looked up and was met with the fake sword pointing towards her face as Adrien grinned cheekily from ear to ear, looking like the Pirate king he was meant to embody.

 

A fake Royal like you doesn’t deserve such a prized jewel! I- the Pirate king- do however! And I will be taking my just rewards!” He hissed with dangerous intent,

 

“I’ll stop you!” Juleka shouted, remembering Prince Edmund’s line quickly. “My love is powerful enough to challenge anyone who opposes me!”

 

Perhaps you should not have fought against me then, naive one.” Adrien spat viciously, pausing a moment before beaming and lifting her up to her feet. “Was that good?”

 

”That was dope” She smiled. Rose whooped from the stairs.

 

”That was so cool, Adrien!” Rose cheered, her cute little face looking like actual sunshine “You’re gonna be awesome during the show!” 

 

“Aw gee guys, thanks!” Adrien said, “I didn’t know I’d enjoy playing the villain so much!”

 

”Its fun.” Juleka shrugged

 

”Very therapeutic from what I’ve seen.” Rose giggled.

 

”That should be enough for today and maybe for the week? When Marinette’s done with the costumes we can practice again but with the costume on.” Juleka added. Adrien nodded as he tossed the sword to her to which she caught with ease as a soft beeping radiated between the three in the empty courtyard.

 

”Ah. Fencing starts in five minutes. Thanks for stopping by before it started, sense I have stuff afterwards.” Adrien smiled, scratching the back of his neck “I’ll see you guys during class!”

 

Juleka and Rose waved him goodbye, walking out of school. The sun was shining, and they took their time enjoying what they now knew was their pretty free weekend. Besides whatever akuma might randomly show up.

 

”You looked awesome!” Rose grinned as she continued to lace her fingers with Juleka’s “I didn’t know you were such a good sword fighter!”

 

Juleka chuckled weakly, squeezing Rose’s hand. It was nice.

 

”Well... you know my mom” She laughed weakly. “Wild.”

 

”She should teach me some time! Though I can’t imagine doing anything with it besides bragging purposes.” Rose said thoughtfully “Oh well!”

 

”Oh well” Juleka smiled.

 

”Say, are you uh, doing anything after this?” Rose tilted her head. Juleka’s smile weakened a little. Patrol.

 

”Got work. You know that job I’ve been trying to volunteer at?” Juleka found this to be her best excuse for her Panthera Business. A non specific job she was called in and out for that she was trying to get some money from, with some manual labor in it, and some coworker she sometimes sees but is funny and smart. 

 

It was perfect. And pretty on the nose to reality.

 

”Ohhhh right! I forgot!” Rose said, knocking her knuckles on her head a bit “I hope you manage to get the job though like legitimately! It’s so unfair you’re not getting paid! You should just get a job somewhere else!”

 

”Yeah,” Juleka sighed, she really should get paid “But if I prove myself the amount of money I might get could be pretty worth it.” She drawled “And you know my family.”

 

”I know. I wish I could help.” Rose sighed. She knew better than anyone. The blonde pepped up, “Tell you what- We can have a sleepover tonight if you’re free! You can complain allllll about it while we watch some movies! We don’t have school tomorrow so we can have a big breakfast in the morning! How’s that?”

 

Juleka smiled. Though the twinge of sadness in her heart never left it’s place. The feeling of wanting to kiss Rose, to hold her, to never let go, and the feeling of knowing Rose would say no to such.

 

The girl was so close yet so far from the gothic girl. No one besides her could say they had daily access to holding Rose’s hand, slept in the same bed as her, and had seen the girl win a giant cat pillow from a ramen shop’s Hot Demon Ramen Challenge without a sweat-

 

-and yet still...

 

Juleka didn’t feel like, she necessarily deserved Rose’s love because of these things. Or Rose owed her love to her because of this. But it felt like... Juleka didn’t know. Somehow the things they experienced together gave her some hope that Rose would feel the same things Juleka did? But clearly not.

 

The jealousy made Juleka itch.

 

”Sounds amazing.” Juleka smiled. Rose whooped with excitement.

 

That excitement died immediately when the car that was rolling past them was suddenly chopped in half and went spinning out of control. The akuma landing on the street in front of the lower half. Juleka and Rose stared blankly at eachother before slowly turning around from it.

 

”..Akuma?”

 

”Without a doubt.

 

”Right. RUNNING TIME GO GO GO—“

 

...

 

This was fucking bonkers. Kinda dope though holy shit!

 

Juleka dropped down next to Ladybug, she managed to get Rose home before claiming she had to check on her brother before slipping through an alleyway.

 

She spun her staff in hand “Alright partner who’s this chrome looking lady I saw on the ladyblog?”

 

Ladybug looked up at her with strangely confused eyes. ”Oh! I- Kinda thought- you were the- huh.”

 

”What?” Juleka tilted her head to the side.

 

”Nothing I- Nothing it’s nothing” Ladybug mumbled, suddenly before receded “I dunno I just- she seemed- her voice was muffled and- she- whatever.”

 

Juleka stared blankly at her. That was.. weird. “Okaaaaay..? I didn’t get a word of that, partner. But I trust you?”

 

”Akuma time. Stay focused as always” Ladybug bristled, swinging her yo-yo around as they began to run across the roof tops, eyes searching the road “I don’t know what her name is, but I know She’s upset that she lost her fencing match to Adrien and I’m certain that now she wants a rematch... to well...”

 

”To the death I assume.” Juleka purred, leaping over the chimney.

 

”Or at least to the pain.” Ladybug chuffed.

 

”Eyy princess bride reference, nice.” She grinned, pausing “There they are.”

 

They two stopped over a rooftop overseeing an open street, Juleka took in the sight and realized that the cut in half car was Adrien’s as the young boy was sitting weakly on the ground as the akuma stood in front of him.

 

“I’ve decided to take you up on that offer on the decisive rematch, boy.” The girl spat, her piercing red eyes glowing from the beneath the hood of her samurai-esk helmet.

 

”I-I can’t fight you like this-“ Adrien sputtered, Juleka could see his bloody palms clenching around a small fencing sword and clothes caked with dirt. He must’ve fell out of his car.. what kid doesn’t use a seatbelt?

 

”You’ve got a sword don’t you? Where was all that spirit and gusto from before?”

 

”I- I won’t fight you!” Adrien cried “Not when you’re an akuma!”

 

That wasn’t an option.” The girl growled, scraping her sword across the cement as she slowly started to approach her classmate. She paused for a moment, a butterfly mask appearing over her face, as a wicked smile went over her metal lips “Understood, Hawkmoth-“

 

Adrien seemed to make a run for it but the akuma girl ran in front of him, pointing her sword at him. They were hoping he got away so he wouldn’t be in danger, but it seemed Miss Stabby McStabson wasn’t taking her threats lightly.

 

”Now-“ Ladybug hissed

 

The two jumped off the roof, Juleka rolled across the ground standing protectively in front of Adrien while Ladybug landed on a telephone pole as the red heroine whipped her yo-yo forward and managed to wrap it around the akuma’s sword.

 

”Hands off Chrome Girl!” Juleka smirked.

 

”You'll be dueling with us now!” Ladybug said, her red ribbons fluttering through the air.

 

”My name is Riposte, you fools!” The akumatized fencer spat. Ladybug yanked her yo-yo backwards in attempt to yank the sword out of her hand but-

 

“It’s merged with her arm!” Ladybug gasped with shock.

 

Riposte tsked before charging towards Panthera with a battle cry. Panthera ripped out her baton and crashed it against the akuma’s blade, causing her to stumble as she turned her foot and swung at her with her steel toed boot, clanging metal to metal as she sent the akuma flying for a moment.

 

Riposte scraped her sword across the ground, screeching to a halt and snorting with rage.

 

”Partner, grab Adrien and take him somewhere safe! I’ll hold her off and buy you some time!” Juleka barked.

 

“On it!” She could hear Ladybug shout behind her in a quick whizz of her yo-yo. Juleka spun her baton in her hand, her teeth gritting into a smile, meeting Riposte’s glaring eyes.

 

“You wanted a fight right? Come on them!”

 

RAGHH!”

 

...

 

”Thank you, Alix. Please keep him safe.” Ladybug spoke softly.

 

”It’ll be like a hide n seek hang out or something!” Adrien grinned as he leaned on Alix’s shoulder weakly.

 

”Yeah yeah. No Worries.” Alix waved a hand. “Try not to break anything here? I mean I trust the miraculous cure to fix up anything. But my dad might have a heart attack at just the sight.”

 

”We’ll try.”

 

”This has been the craziest day ever.” Adrien exclaimed as he was dragged off by the currator’s daughter.

 

“Where could that cat be..” Ladybug mumbled.

 

”Right here- Partner.”

 

Juleka grimaced with pain as she dropped down onto the tile, clutching part of her shoulder.

 

”Panthera!” Ladybug gasped “You’re hurt!”

 

”Just a little nick is all, I’ll be able to fight, no sweat-“ Juleka weakly smiled before it withered away. She clenched the soaked burning part of her shoulder with worry. Feeling the blood seep through the once indestructible fabric. Such a visceral and horrifying feeling.. “Partner.. our suits.. are they becoming weaker?”

 

”No. They aren’t.” Ladybug muttered, quickly “Our enemies are just becoming stronger. We could easily take a cannon ball to the stomach with nothing more than a small bruise, but maybe the miraculous magic Hawkmoth is giving the akumas have started to give more leverage to harm us in their weapons..”

 

”How convenient for them..” Juleka spat, lifting her hand off her shoulder to look down at the small smear of blood on her darkened glove. She looked up at Ladybug “Think we can find something to just wrap my shoulder with for now?”

 

”Sure, where’s Riposte?” Ladybug asked as they began to walk through the museum.

 

”Under a whole lot of cement. I managed to break a chimney on her but it’s dumb to think that would beat her. So I just came here so I could have more backup.” Juleka said. “She’ll be here in probably five judging by her speed. She hit me when I was checking my baton, so she knows we’re here at the louvre.”

 

The took a few moments to yoink a first aid kit from an open office and taking Panthera’s sleeveless hoodie off, Ladybug proceeded to wrap a few bandages over the small gash.

 

”Adrien is with Alix’s family right now. Different floor. But he’s still here.” Ladybug continued “But there’s a ton of security gates and stuff that I remember there being during Pharaoh. If we lead Riposte into an area we can corner her, tricking her to think Adrien is there, we can keep him safe, and get the akuma.”

 

”It’ll be risky, ow-“

 

”Sorry-“

 

”It’s fine-“ Juleka winced as Ladybug finished up, and they began to walk to the middle of the museum “-It’ll be risky sense there’ll be less breathing room. But her sword got stuck a lot so we might be able to use that to our advantage. Her sword is hella heavy. So it makes her clumsy.”

 

”Exactly, so we need to use our environment to our advantage.”

 

Then something caught Juleka’s eye. Just in case.. she figured we’ll return this later if we don’t use it..

 

”Partner put this in your yo-yo just in case I’m disarmed.” Juleka said, pulling something off the wall and handing it to the red heroine. Ladybug rose an eyebrow curiously but nodded, pushing it into the endless space before snapping it shut at her side.

 

”We’ve got this, kitty.” Marinette grinned.

 

”Obviously. Now-“ Juleka purred, as Riposte crashed through the building, a grimace on her chrome face. Panthera spun her baton around with a smirk on her face “-Let’s do some sword dancing, shall we partner?”

 

Riposte scraped the tip of her sword across the tile on the ground, glaring at the two.

 

“Where is he..” Riposte growled.

 

Juleka and Ladybug shared a look and began to run. Juleka shouted, ”Partner! To the Egyptian exhibit! We can’t let her near Adrien!”

 

”Got it!”

 

”He’ll be mine!” Riposte spat, chasing after them. Juleka winced as she jumped over a slash of Riposte’s sword, the stinging in her wrapped wound continuing to ache and bother her as she spun around to block and jab at the akuma with her baton.

 

”Partner!” Juleka shouted, stumbling backwards as Riposte raised her sword to bring down on her. Ladybug leapt through the air, whizzing her yo-yo between her legs as she did a flip and as it wrapped around Riposte’s blade, yanked it backwards.

 

The akuma growled before nearly getting a boot to the face again as Juleka swung her leg at her. Riposte knocked it away with her palm, making a punch before getting pulled back again as she struggled against the yo-yo.

 

Riposte changed tactics, her red eyes narrowing as she just ran straight towards Ladybug instead. The tension on the yo-yo string completely lost as the akuma swiped the blade towards the girl’s face. An old memory suddenly flashed over her vision-

 

’Juleka placed a hand on Marinette’s cheek. The long gash that was given to her by the akuma, though shrunken and of course healed into barely the size of a paper cut, it still existed. Her ear twitched, as her eyes narrowed.

 

”What the..”

 

”Its nothing!” Marinette smiled, putting on a heroic smile as she waved it off “I’m a tough cookie”

 

A slow bubbling fear started to grow deep within her “P-Partner do you not heal from the attacks?”’

 

Juleka’s eyes thinned.

 

Extending her baton Juleka sprung forward and using both of her hands on the pole, she swung it over Riposte’s neck, pulling back and flipping her.

 

The two rolled across the ground as Riposte was yanked away from slicing Ladybug in half. Juleka hit her back against the tile and hissed in pain as her gash pressed against the ground as Riposte struggled to break free, which was hard with a giant sword for an arm. 

 

“Ladybug!” She spat, trying to not lose her grip despite the slipperiness of her blood and sweat. “The security..- ngh- The security gates! Now!”

 

”On it!”

 

Juleka watched from behind Riposte as Ladybug swung her yo-yo around, hitting both buttons on the walls causing the gates to come falling down. Trapping the very angry Riposte in the painting hall with them.

 

”Didn't imagine you to be on top.” She remarked dryly as Riposte snarled, knocking her head backwards into Juleka’s face, causing her to yelp and release her grip. Juleka looked up just in time to roll to the side as Riposte made a plunge towards her stomach, ending up stuck with her sword in the ground.

 

Juleka wiped the blood from her aching nose as she stared at the akuma.

 

Riposte growled, clutching her arm where it turned from the steel of her elbow to the steel of her sword hilt as she glared at the two heroes standing behind her and in front of her.

 

”Checkmate, Riposte.” Ladybug announced, spinning her yo-yo around in a lasso.

 

”Tch! Wrong sport, Ladybug..” Riposte’s lips curled into a smile, “I think you mean.. attaque toi!“

 

Juleka’s ears flattened against her head as she snarled- for a moment she felt time almost slow.

 

Riposte had dislodged her sword, pivoting her foot to get it to swing a little. Ladybug barely dodged the first swing, before getting slammed by the flat of the sword across the temple and kicked backwards in the stomach. 

 

Juleka watched, her feet frozen to the ground as her reaction had yet to break through the shock, as Riposte grinned madly, planting her foot down and began to make her upwards swing from the ground to Marinette’s neck-

 

LADYBUG-“

 

Juleka launched herself forward her pole, loosing it from her fingers as She tackled Marinette across the ground, rolling and crashing into the wall with a pained grunt. Pushing herself off of the floor, Juleka pulled the limp Ladybug onto her lap in worry.

 

”Ladybug. Ladybug. Partner?” Juleka pleaded, tapping Marinette’s face as the girl shook her head weakly and looked up at her.

 

”Shit..” Marinette hissed, her silvery blue eyes narrowed with pain. Juleka looked around for her baton as Riposte began to approach. What do I use to fight!? What do I do?! How can I protect her?

 

”Finally, I’ve won now. And shown myself to be the true champion!” Riposte spat, her red eyes narrowing viciously “Now.. time for my prize.. kuroneko..”

 

Panthera’s lips curled into a sly smile as she looked up at the akuma. Her grip on the weakened girl in her arms tightened as her confidence began to swell again.

 

”Not just yet, beautiful.” Juleka purred, pulling herself back to her feet as she held Ladybug in one warm in a low dip. She leaned her head to the side to look down at Ladybug “Partner-“

 

Ladybug weakly smiled, lifting her yo-yo up close to her chest and clicking it open. Light poured from the weapon and illuminated the space between the three.

 

Juleka licked her lips as she reached down into it- and pulled the handle of the long pirate scabbard from the toy letting it shine in the golden light of the museum hall.

 

God I hope this doesn’t break. Juleka thought to herself, adjusting her hand to the old leather of the handle as she let Ladybug gently rest of the floor. It’s just for now.

 

“Panthera-“ Ladybug weakly whispered “Give me time..-“

 

”Of course, bug. Just give me a signal and I’ll follow your lead. I’ve got this..” Juleka smiled softly, before looking back at the akuma. Her hair bristling with anger.

 

Riposte snarled as the two began to slowly circle around eachother. Juleka threw her jacket off of her, trying to keep her eye on the akuma as she discretely also tried to find where her damn baton was.

 

She winced, feeling the burning pain of her gash on her shoulder continue to seep through her bandages. Please heal please heal please heal. She begged.

 

Riposte just tsked “Die a struggling fool, then.”

 

”Is that a request?” Panthera purred, melting into pure instinct as Riposte lunged forward. Panthera skillfully sidestepped, though feeling her knees buckle a little, before she slammed her palm on the smooth side of the akuma’s blade.

 

Riposte gasped in confusion as Panthera smirked at her and swung herself on top of her sword, tilting her entire form down- as Panthera swung her sword towards Riposte’s face.

 

Metal clanged against metal as it made contact with the akuma’s chrome helmet, thank god for such or her head would’ve been hacked by the sword in her palm. Panthera flipped backwards as Riposte made the move to sweep her off her feet all too late, 

 

“Unfair!” Riposte spat, clutching part of her face. “Your form- it’s not right! It’s messy! It’s-“

 

Perhaps you should not have fought against me then, naive one.” Juleka snarled. Riposte made some attempt to return to some kind of form but Panthera only grinned a beastly smile as she smacked Riposte’s sword away the first opening she saw and bashed the hilt of her sword across her cheek.

 

”Not supposed-“ Riposte choked out “How..? And your injured... you shouldn’t be able to-“

 

”Like I give a damn what you think I should or shouldn’t be able to do!” Panthera scoffed, shocking Riposte as her face stretched with surprise. “Your understanding of me, can be compared to merely nothing. I am the anomaly that’ll rock the world.”

 

“PANTHERA! YOUR BELT!”

 

Panthera immediately ripped it off and using Riposte’s sword, she leapt over the girl again onto her opposite side. Riposte roared with anger, making a thrust forward to stab the first thing she saw, but her face widened as she saw her sword has gone through the thin space between the pipes of a red and black spotted radiator held in the smug hands of Panthera and Ladybug..

 

”Time to heat things up, don’t you think?” Juleka winked. Riposte grimaced, and attempted to yank it out but she yelped in shock when she saw the cat hero’s belt latched around her wrist hilt.

 

”It’s-“ Juleka and Ladybug shouted, pulling Riposte’s arm to one side before cracking it to the side and snapping it “-OVER!”

 

Riposte shouted with rage as she collapsed on the ground, a small butterfly fluttering out of the broken remains of her sword clattered on the ground a few paces away.

 

Purifying the Butterfly, Ladybug threw the radiator in the air. “MIRACULOUS LADYBUG!”

 

Juleka breathed in a sigh of relief as it washed over her body, the aches and sores all over fluttering into nothing but the warmth of the cure, taking extra time in her shoulder as she felt the gash be smothered with the soft flurry of ladybug kisses before becoming nothing.

 

It even fixed her ripped hoodie as it returned right on her! Nice! Took the sword away though. Aw.

 

Juleka looked around, tail flicking before aha-ing with delight as she found her baton in the ground and returned it to her belt before turning with a smile at Adrien and Ladybug talking to the young girl once named Riposte.

 

Her serious expression she recognized in the monster but carefulness in her gaze showed she was more than the butterfly. When the young girl caught her eye, Panthera just winked at her, much to her cute awkward expression. Hah.

 

Ladybug gave Juleka a smile and the two fist bumped. Another job well done. “Pound it!”

 

...

 

”And then Panthera was like- swooosh- and then Riposte almost cut Ladybug’s head off- and it was crazy Jules!”

 

”I saw the video, silly. I know it was.” Juleka chuckled as she booped Rose on the nose. The blonde giggled.

 

”Oh yeah, lol”

 

”Girls, lights off now.” Rose’s mom whispered, flicking the switch off and sending the two into the darkness of the room, only illuminated by the gentleness of the moonlight and the soft orange light of the city lamps outside the window, barely reaching them as they laid on the soft rug of Rose’s room “Night kids”

 

”Night mom!”

 

”Night Mrs. Lavillant.”

 

The two girls smiled at eachother as Juleka watched Rose yawn. “Imma sleep now too, see you in the morning, Jules?”

 

”See you in the morning” Juleka whispered as Rose hustled into her little sleeping bag she insisted she’d sleep in that was right next to Juleka’s. Rose was knocked out in seconds, her breathing soft as she stared up at Juleka with those big baby blue eyes, before they fluttered close and her breathing slowed to a sleepy pace.

 

Juleka’s smile grew gentle, as she pushed part of Rose’s hair from her face. Today was not easy. Juleka ran a hand over where her gash once was and felt a chill go up her spine...

 

They could be seriously hurt one of these days... she realized. What of then...

 

Juleka did the foolish thing and tried not to dwell on it, as she pulled herself under the covers of her sleeping bag, staring up at the ceiling. Looking off to the side, she could see Plagg sleeping in her tossed jacket and softly smiled as she held her ring tightly.

 

Her copper eyes moved to Rose and another wave of sadness washed over her. Part of her wanted to press a kiss to her forehead. To snuggle closer. To feel loved or give love in some way. To show Rose that-

 

Juleka slowed another wince. One that managed to hurt more than the pain that once dripped blood down her shoulder. She sucked in an uneasy breath and sighed. I love you Rose.

 

”Sweet dreams.” She whispered, before quietly, luring, to sleep.

 

 

Notes:

Hello hello! It’s been a hot minute. I’ve kinda been busy with other fics but I’m back lovelies! Hopefully! Maybe. I’ve got to figure out what episodes I’ve got up next lol.

Fun fact! I’ve added something to the series list! Timebreaker! Yes! I originally skipped that episode on this, making it as a “post episode” chapter instead due to time travel memory erasure. But you can check out what happened in the other timeline now reading that! Go check it out! It was a blast to write!

Another Fun fact: Originally Juleka was gonna get stabbed in this.
But This episode was just too fun for that. Guess I’ll just have to save that for later..

 

..........Also Yes that was a Revolutionary Girl Utena reference.

Did Marinette think Kagami was Panthera for a hot second? Yes. She went to visit Adrien during fencing practice after Juleka and Rose left and sees this gruff sounding masked person THROW DOWN and causally do BACK FLIPS during a fencing battle- can you blame her? Just a little funny thing I thought of..

 

ALSO ALSO WAIT WHAT PANTHERA HAS 25K HITS?! WHAT THE FUCK- GUYS HOLY CRAP BALLS OH MY GOD- THANK YOU ALL SO SO MUCH

Chapter 43: Like a Bouquet

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

“You’re going on a trip?”

 

”Mhm.”

 

Rose helped her mom into her jacket as the continued to finish up their, what her mom jokingly called, Morning Process, which was just getting ready.

 

”Some event thing they want me out, a total drag, isn’t it?” Her mom jokingly drawled, making Rose giggle.

 

”When are you leaving?” Rose asked, wiping away a bit of her tooth paste from her chin as she spat it out into her sink, continuing to brush.

 

”They said be there by Friday morning.. and I’m gonna be there for at least a day or so.. I might leave Thursday afternoon to make dinner for you before I go.” Carmen Lavillant answered carefully, spitting into her sink and ringing her mouth out with water. Rose passed her a towel and smiled when she heard the muffled, ‘Thank you dear’

 

”And today is Thursday..” Rose nodded to herself, “Oki dokie!”

 

Carmen’s face grew soft ”You gonna be okay, dear? I- I know you don’t like being home alone, and I don’t want you to be alone if something flared up, but-“

 

”Mhm! I’ll be okay!” Rose said quickly, smiling “I can call Juleka over. Just in case.”

 

Carmen’s soft smile then grew a little mischievous, she motioned for her brush and began to comb through her long dirty blonde hair with a soft hum.

 

”Of course.” She mused, glancing at her daughter thoughtfully before smiling to herself “And will she be sleeping on the couch or with you?”

 

Rose choked on her toothbrush.

 

...

 

”Hm, yeah I can sleep over.” Juleka said, nodding. “Sounds good, I’ll text my mom.”

 

”Woo! It’ll be like a longer sleepover!” Rose squealed. “Just like when were little!”

 

Rose’s cheeks heated up as she twirled around. Of course, it’d be very very different. She stopped dancing around the room to look at Juleka who was tapping thoughtfully on her phone. Her dark hair glowing a softly amber with the gentle light of the afternoon pouring through the window of the mostly vacated room.

 

Rose smiled warmly at her, skipping towards her to hug her, brightening more as she felt the soft chuckle come from the goth girl and her other arm hold Rose’s shoulder in some awkward return of the hug. She was lucky they’ve always been so physically affectionate with each other.

 

”Yeah just like old times.” Juleka smiled softly, that small little smile that Rose always found her stomach fluttering with butterflies when she saw it. “You want me to do breakfast?”

 

”My mom has leftovers in the fridge.” Rose said,

 

“Oh then I should be able to do something with that, your mom is cool” Juleka smiled, making Rose nod “Movies?”

 

”I got this new vpn thing so we can watch Ghibli movies!” Rose squealed.

 

Juleka rubbed the ring on her hand thoughtfully “Rad. Those are awesome.”

 

”Mhm mhm! We can make popcorn and be all huddled in blankets and stay up and-“ Rose rambled on and on as Juleka just listened.

 

How her best friend was able to deal with her babbling, Rose would never know. But seeing her one copper eye just staring at her softly while she went on and on sent another flutter through her chest that would leap into her throat causing a stutter she hoped Juleka didn’t notice.

 

Her rambling fell into some rather topic, Rose had no idea what she was talking about anymore, as long as Juleka kept looking at her like that and continued to hold her hand, she’d talk forever.

 

Oh. It was raining. That shut her up.

 

Rose shivered, feeling the cold droplets of water hit her cheeks and dripping down her face and beginning to soak her clothes.

 

”Ah darn,” Juleka mumbled, her voice soft as ever as the soft dribbling of water began to wash over them with the rolling dark clouds. “That’s not good.”

 

”The newscast didn’t say anything about this!” Rose said, covering her head before the water suddenly stopped hitting her and she looked up in confusion to see Juleka standing over her with her long jacket pulled over the two of them.

 

Rose felt her cheeks heat up as Juleka smiled kindly at her “This okay?”

 

”U-Uh, yeah! Yeah this is ga-good!” Rose grinned from ear to ear. Her legs feeling a little wobbly as Juleka pulled her closer to her warm body.

 

”I’m glad, wouldn’t want you to get a cold.” Juleka smiled kindly, though her eyes seemed to drift off a little for a moment clouded with sadness. Rose’s smile fell.

 

”Are you okay?”

 

Juleka looked back at her smiling again “Yep, let’s go.”

 

”Okay!”

 

When they arrived, Rose giggled as Juleka grabbed a towel and proceeded to dry her hair with it, causing her hair to poof a little messily. Juleka softly chuckled. It was the best sound Rose ever heard.

 

Rose couldn’t keep track of the hours. But after finishing whatever homework they had, Juleka disappeared to the kitchen, and they had a quiet delicious dinner Juleka somehow cooked up.

 

”Was it good?” Juleka asked, walking out of the bathroom in a large band tshirt, her jaw falling a moment before laughing “Did you steal my jacket?”

 

Rose stared at her beneath it on the jacket.

 

”No?” She replied weakly with a big ‘hand inside the cookie jar’ smile. Juleka just laughed, hand reaching over her mouth as she stared at Rose with the brightest of eyes. Her cheeks a soft pink from what Rose could see, or perhaps that itself was a trick of light.

 

”At least you look comfy?” Juleka said, tilting her head to the side. Rose’s face blushed bright red with embarrassment. She wouldn’t tell a soul she put it on just because the jacket smelt like Juleka.

 

”Y-Yep! I uh-“ But before Rose could say anything more, there was a sudden ding in the kitchen.

 

”What was that?” She asked

 

”Ah, I made popcorn for you.” Juleka said softly, looking back. She thinks of everything she’s so sweet! “I’ll be back, turn on the movie?”

 

Rose snuggled deeper into her jacket, a soft smile stretching across her lips “Yeah”

 

...

 

“Wow kitten. You’d think you’d already gotten this whole girlfriend routine thing down.” Plagg teased, poking out of her sweatpants’ pocket. Juleka rolled her eyes as she opened the microwave, which was much better than hers at home.

 

”Yeah yeah.” She muttered quietly, taking out an oven mitt just in case to grab the hot bag from the inside, feeling the warmth of the machine lick at her cheeks. “If only I got the girlfriend bit.”

 

”Don’t be a sourpuss.” Plagg drawled, Juleka chuffed. This was not the house to be bitter in though, not when she was lucky enough to be here.

 

”Darn, could’ve been more efficient here, should’ve grabbed the bowl first, where do they..” Juleka mumbled to herself as Plagg zoomed around the kitchen.

 

”Kitten I found cheese!” His muffled voice came from inside the fridge. Juleka turned with a frown.

 

”Don’t eat anything.!” She shouted with panic.

 

”Jules? Is something wrong?” Rose spoke up from the living room, voice dripping with concerned. Juleka cringed.

 

”Yeah just- taking a call with my mom and you know her!” Juleka said quickly. Sighing in relief as she heard a quiet ‘Okay!’, though frowning again as Plagg emerged from the fridge with his little cat face looking more like a stuffed chipmunk’s. “You ate something didn't you.”

 

“mmymbe” Plagg mumbled.

 

”How much?”

 

”Yes.”

 

”Damn-“ Juleka hissed, face palming before shaking her head and refocusing. If she took too long Rose would get worried. So she began to open up drawers “Where.. Where.. there.”

 

She opened the top drawer, genuinely surprised with herself, but she supposed that’s what happened when you were like- what- 5’6? 5’7? She had no idea how tall she was. Tall. She was tall. She could reach the top drawer. Lucky her.

 

Pouring the popcorn into the bowl she paused to stare out at the garden through the cold rain droplet covered window.

 

‘“Hello little one.”

 

Juleka squeaked, her hands shooting away from the flower bed and turned around to look up at the man. He just softly smiled at her, hands up in a weak surrender pose before sitting down next to her.

 

She could feel her throat close up on the spot as she scootched away a little. She must’ve been in the way she should just move and go back into the house to wait for Rose-

 

“Aren’t these flowers, beautiful?”

 

She paused, looking up at him as he stared at them.

 

”Rose grew these herself.” He continued, “Very talented, for you two’s age.”

 

Juleka nodded slowly, moving a little closer to the flower. She had no idea what these were. She let out a gasp as a small hummingbird flew by her face and straight to one of them, sipping nectar from one of it’s purple petals propped up from it’s slender frame.

 

”It’s called Hyacinth. Pretty, right?” He said, Juleka nodded, watching in awe as the hummingbird flew off. “Rose begged to plant them when she checked the flower book we have.”

 

A book on flowers? She looked up in interest. Louis Lavillant smiled at her.

 

”Would you like to see it while we wait for Rose? We can see if we can find any flowers here in it.” He said. Juleka slowly nodded and he sat up to look for it. Leaving her with the garden and the shyest smile on her face.’

 

Juleka shook her head from the memory, staring sadly outside. Walking out of the kitchen with the bowl of popcorn. It was going to get cold. She motioned for Plagg to return to her pocket and she left, strolling past the many picture frames on the walls, and the small old pieces of origami on the cupboards.

 

...

 

They watched Howl’s Moving Castle in relative but comfortable silence. It was very beautiful, and they were nearing its end- Though Rose’s mind was a bit busy as her head was buried with different thoughts.

 

A few weeks, perhaps maybe more than a month ago was Princess Prom. Where-

 

Where Panthera Noire, one of The Hero of Paris, confessed her love to Rose.

 

And Rose rejected her.

 

Rose’s eyebrows furrowed, since then, there had been no more visits from the cat hero. No goodbye, no friendly waves of short conversation when the hero was coincidentally at her school to save the class from some supervillain. Rose supposed that was of course her fault.

 

She felt awful about hurting the poor hero. The look in the cat hero’s eyes were hauntingly similar to Juleka’s from a few years ago. She remembered finding Juleka crying in the bathroom, looking up helplessly at her and tugging her into a hug.

 

Rose hasn’t seen Juleka cry since then, she doesn’t even know why Juleka was crying that day, but she did. And it made her stomach twist with guilt.

 

She hoped Panthera was okay. She wondered if she should talk about it with Juleka, if her best friend even believed her that Panthera Noire, perhaps the flirtiest lady in all of Paris-

 

Rose internally sighed, no she wouldn’t. It sounded like a lie Lila would’ve made when she joined the class. She just wished she didn’t have to bottle all of this up, she wished she could talk to Panthera about this again. Rose didn’t want to lose Panthera’s friendship, she was still dear to her.

 

Rose looked up at Juleka, seeing her eye seemingly dazing off into no where. Not on the tv anymore. 

 

”What’s going on in your brain?” Rose quietly asked, rolling on Juleka’s belly. Juleka blinked, looking at the blonde with slight surprise before smiling sadly. She brushed her hair out of her face for a moment, her mouth opening to speak but when nothing came out she lifted up a hand to sign-

 

“Your dad” Juleka pointed at Rose and tapped her thumb to her forehead twice with her open hand before she spoke up, voice very soft as she rested her hand back on the blankets “He was very kind, I miss him a lot.”

 

She hadn’t seen Juleka sign in a long time but, she could understand. Rose slowly nodded, feeling waves of sadness wash over her again. About four years since he was gone. And yet she hadn’t stopped mourning, she wasn’t sure if she ever could.

 

“Yeah, I do too..” Rose whispered, Juleka looked at her sadly. 

“What do you remember about him?” She asked “I remembered his garden.” 

 

“Mm.. yeah his garden..” Rose said wistfully “Yeah, for sure that..”

 

She thought for a long time on that, but she was stuck on his gardens. On his flowers.

 

”Dad was like a bouquet of flowers..” Rose mumbled, looping her fingers with Juleka. “..beautiful, with the best vase we could buy with all of the good water in it, and all the techniques to keep him alive- but he still just.. slowly wilted away.”

 

”...What flowers do you think would make him up?” Juleka quietly asked, her voice gentle and fluttering beside her ear making her cheeks feel warm for a moment before Rose closed her eyes; Thinking back to when she was little. When pictures and videos weren’t the only traces left of him besides the little perfume bottle placed carefully in her room and flourishing garden. 

 

She thought of her dad’s honey colored hair, pooling down his back in a low tied ribbon that Rose decorated as a child. His soft blue eyes that had flecks of brown and gold in them, and the faint freckles on his cheeks that rested beneath his small glasses.

 

She remembers his smell of dirt beneath the perfume he’d make for her mom. Because he ‘just didn’t know what else could make her more beautiful’.

 

Juleka petted through Rose’s locks softly, the rhythmic strokes of comfort making Rose’s thoughts blur more and more as her her vision slowly darkened with her heavy eyelashes.

 

”Hyacinths..” Rose yawned, beginning to fall asleep as Juleka’s warmth began to lull her to sleep “Sunflowers.. and..”

 

..roses.

 

 

Notes:

Sorry for the late and short chapter! Been busy with other projects but here we are getting back into the swing of things!

Also! Panthera Noire reached it’s one year anniversary a few days ago on the 23rd of March! Happy birthday Panthera! Here’s to another year of bullshit!

Chapter 44: Troublemaker

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Penny Rolling strolled through the halls of the Grande Paris. If she was in Paris for a normal visit, she’d walk a little slower to stare in awe at the hotel a little more, as it was truly one of the most luxurious places she’s been in a while.

 

But she wasn’t. Because Jagged was in Paris and if Jagged was somewhere she was by his side. And she supposed that was always her dream.

 

Good news today at least was she managed to cut through at least thirteen out of the forty five things on her to do list. Not in any particular order of course haha!

 

I mean how was she gonna fulfill Jagged’s request of doing a photoshoot with a giant anaconda if it was right after the parakeet adoption add, snakes ate birds! Hah! She was fine.

 

Totally.

 

Penny opened the door to Jagged’s suite, one of the butlers following after with a kart. “Jagged, I brought the soccer balls.”

 

”Rock in roll Penny thank you!” Jagged shouted from inside.

 

Penny looked up from her click word, pen nervously clicking (Click-ck click-ck click-ck) 

 

“Yes what did you-“ Penny blinked “Oh that’s why-“

 

”Oh lord!” The butler cried as the two stared at Fang playfully nomming on Jagged’s arm. Penny clicked her pen (click-ck) before she grabbed a soccer ball and threw it across the room, watching as Fang galloped after it.

 

“I’ll call you again if we need anything- actually we might need more things- just come back in five minutes” Penny said, shoving the butler out of the room as Jagged grabbed as many soccer balls as humanly possible to sit on his piano “Thank you.”

 

”Penny! What about my flight to London?”

 

Penny stared at her clipboard, pen rolling over the paper before she landed on its unchecked box, she clicked her pen a few times (click-ck click-ck click-ck) before she nodded and began to reach for her phone again ”Working on that Jagged! I’m calling the private flights today!”

 

”Also I’m hungry can I have breakfast on the back of a polar bear?”

 

Penny stopped questioning this stuff a looong time ago. Though, she’s been a fan of Jagged for just as long. She just never knew working with him would be so... exciting? No. Eccentric? Weird?

 

Penny clicked her pen a few times before finding the word.

 

Yeah. Bizarre would fit nicely.

 

”Of course Jagged.” She said with a smile, writing down more on her clipboard.

 

”Thank you!” Jagged shouted as Penny went to the door, crossing off more tasks as done, tapping on the newly made polar bear one before she opened the door up, finding the Butler still standing there a little awkwardly.

 

“Mr. Stone would like his breakfast brought to him on the back of a polar bear. Could you arrange that for me, please?” Penny quickly asked, looking up from her board.

 

“Fetch!” Jagged shouted from inside as Fang went galloping around.

 

“Uh...I'll see what I can do, Miss Penny. Will zat be all?” The butler said sheepishly, his thick French accent filled with uncertainty. Penny was about to answer but she could hear her phone buzzing. Must be the private plane people- she immediately put it between her ear and shoulder to free her hand, scribbling onto her clipboard to cross off the London flight.

 

“Will a red eye flight work for you Ms Rolling?” The woman on the other line asked.

 

“Yes, a red-eye flight would be preferable. Jagged's crocodile, Fang, hates flying in the daytime.” She spoke, just a normal day as Jagged Stone’s assistant. One would have to learn about these kinds of things.

 

Penny felt her shoulder jostled, nearly dropping her phone, as Bob Roth shoved past her shouting his head off.

 

“Penny, I found the perfect way to market his new album! He's gonna be a guest on a reality TV show!”

 

Penny paled a little. No no that wouldn’t do. Last time he was on one- Penny internally shuddered. Oh god never again.

 

“I really don't think Jagged will be okay with it-“ Penny spoke up before hearing sounds of confusion from her phone “No! No, I wasn't talking to you. Confirm that flight. Thanks a lot.” She looked back up at Bob “Uh, I'll call you back. Bob, wait!”

 

She ran to the grand piano where Jagged was sitting at “Penny, did you remember to order those macaroons for Fang?”

 

Penny blinked before checking her clipboard at the sudden question “Of course; I'm taking care of that right now, Jagged”

 

No she didn’t but she wasn’t going to say no, so she immediately wrote it down before hearing another knock at the door. She shuffled back, opening it to see-

 

“I'm sorry, Miss Penny, but you cannot allow your crocodile to just roam around the hotel by itself.” Mayor Bourgeois said a little sternly, holding the leash of Fang a little nervously. Penny’s Jack slacked a little. Oh stars how did he get out!? She clicked her pen to relieve the stress, taking the leash and trying to put on her best adult face.

 

“Oh- I'm sorry, Mr. Bourgeois.” She said, hearing her phone buzz again to which she held it back to her year “Yes, what-“ She nearly dropped it again due to Fang, giving a sheepish smile.

 

“What?! What is this trash?”

 

Penny’s face fell a little as she yanked Fang back into place, she waved at Andre quickly before heading back “Thanks, Mr. Mayor-“

 

Jagged was standing on the piano, holding two soccer balls and throwing them at Bob, again.

 

“You want me to be a guest on Rocker Wants a Wife?!” He shouted, oh he hated that one “There's nothing rock 'n' roll about that show. My fans will never watch it!

 

Bob squirmed in place “Of course they will, Jagged! This is how marketing works these days!”

 

Penny was about to speak, but she had no words, how could make this work. Bob was right, but Jagged was always stubborn. Penny clicked her pen over and over. Think Penny think this is your entire job, think!

 

Ah thats it!

 

Suddenly there were multiple knocks on the door again. Penny turned around but was met with her phone still buzzing from the oncoming call. Penny immediately started walking towards the door, opening it with Fang and tugging him back in place when he began to pull her arm again.

 

The butler was back, speaking nervously “I am so sorry, Miss. There were no polar bears available. Would a pony do instead?”

 

Darn. Knowing Jagged, probably not. But if she could think of something when it arrived she could make it seem like the horse was a lot cooler than it was. This would do. 

 

“A real artist, with real talent! I can dig being a guest on a reality show, but it's gotta be music to my ears, you know? Quality!”

 

Penny glanced back to Jagged and then back. Music to his ears huh, right right right right right. Penny heard her phone buzz again, and she quickly gestured Jean to wait while she picked up the call.

 

“A- uh- pony is fine. Uh, can you throw an assortment of macaroons in too, please? Thanks.” She said, speaking back into the phone as she closed the door “No, not you. Don't worry; there won't be any ponies, just a crocodile.”

 

“Deal with it, Jagged! You will be a guest on that show, whether you like it or not!” Bob shouted, looking like he was about to start a soccer ball war with the rockstar.

 

Jagged was too, as he prepared his own “Oh yeah? And how're you gonna make me do that?”

 

Penny looked to to the phone “I'll call you back.” She ended the call.

 

Jagged crossed his arms “I think we're done here, Bob.”

 

Penny spoke up “Um- Jagged-“

 

She motioned towards his ear and began to whisper her idea, because while the first things that came to mind that pleased Jagged Stone were rock n’ roll will towers of flames, dragons, tigers, lions, tiger-lions, dragon tiger-lions, and literally every ‘manly’ thing on the planet- there was another much more easier to reach available person that would make him giddy to work with.

 

Jagged’s eyes sparkled with excitement.

 

“Of course!” He beamed, standing up to make a pose “Now that's what I call a rock 'n' roll idea!” He turned to her, kneeling down next to her face “Penny, you're the best! What would I do without you?”

 

Penny blinked up at him, as her tilted her head to the side gingerly and gave her a soft peck on the cheek. Penny’s eyes softened, and it felt like her stress bubbled away at that exact moment. Guess She could ask the same to him. Penny just hoped she wouldn’t let him down.

 

...

 

“Uh. What’s happening?” Juleka said weakly, pushing through the crowd cheering for Jagged Stone’s name “Hello?”

 

Yeah despite being a crowd of people no one answered her. Go figure. Invisible girl. Haha.. where as she? Right. In front of the Dupain Cheng Bakery. Why?

 

“Be an Errand boy for the club? The play is nearing very quickly and it’d be very nice if had some costumes done?” Adam had drawled as she passed him her hours worth of reports for the SFX crew. Adam perked up “Ooh! And if you can! I heard her bakery has the beeeest pasteries, treat the crew would you? Here’s some euros-”

 

Juleka huffed through a gritted smile, eye twitching. ”Yeah yeah sure.”

 

Right, Marinette left early today for some reason and didn’t show up for the drama club’s meeting, and apparently that was Juleka’s problem. Yaaaaay. But looks like both girls would be late as the Dupain Cheng bakery seemed to me locked with the people inside being a camera crew, THE JAGGED STONE HOLY CRAP, and the Dupain Chengs seeming to be doing stuff with them.

 

Looking up there was a large tv that was broadcasting what was happening inside.

 

Ah. I see. Juleka thought, tugging her hood over her head. Darn guess I gotta go back, wonder why Marinette didn’t tell us about this. Guess I’ll wait till They’re done..

 

“Once this is over, get me something too.” Plagg whispered into her ear, hiding in her hair and and hoodie.

 

”Yeah yeah, you walking stomach.” Juleka couldn’t help the chuckle coming out of her mouth.

 

...

 

“OUT! OUT! JUST- JUST GET OUT!” Penny screamed. Great! GREAT! THIS WAS JUST- FUCKING PERFECT-

 

Penny squeezed her pen in her hand tightly as she shoved everyone out of Marinette’s room. Fuck- poor girl she must’ve been humiliated- What was Jagged thinking just because he was some rock god- fuck did anyone ever listen to her?

 

”Penny what are we supposed to do now?!” Bob demanded. Penny growled, holding the door as she glared at him and his stupid mustache, giving Jagged a hard look as well, which he squirmed under. Could these people do anything without her? No. And yet they still treat her like-

 

”I’ll meet you downstairs in five.” She spat, voice icy and dripping with venom.

 

”But Penny-“ Bob spoke up, she smacked her clipboard at his face.

 

”IN. FIVE.” Penny snapped, slamming the door shut. Her chest was heaving as her anger rushed through her before being to trickle. Shit- what had she done.

 

She rested her forehead against the door. She failed Marinette. She failed the crew. She failed Jagged- Jagged would no doubt fire her for this. Penny turned her back against the door, letting out a heavy sigh as she gripped tightly to her pen. Trying to squeeze away the heaviness in her heart.

 

Damn it damn it damn it- What could she do? Would could Penny Rolling do about this? Nothing she figured. Absolutely nothing could save her now. Penny Rolling messed this all up- 

 

And as she continued to click her pen, she didn’t even notice the black butterfly seeping into it.

 

...

 

Juleka stood awkwardly with the crowd. Watching as things went to shit. And then suddenly things went to more shit. And then even more.

 

Jagged accidentally revealed all of Marinette’s Adrien posters that seemed to still be up for some reason. That ‘Penny’ lady shoved everyone out of Marinette’s room. And then Mrs. Cheng was about to fight Bob Roth, Jagged Stone’s producer? With a fucking bread thing? Everyone was losing their mind- What was even happening?

 

Oh. An akuma. An akuma was happening. Oh wow.

 

Her name was Troublemaker. And oh my god. She was perhaps the coolest akuma, Juleka had ever, fucking, seen. Juleka watched with a slack jawed but also weird smile on her face as she watched the wildest scene played out. Okay, like, this was super bad, and Juleka knew she had to fight this bitch, but this was also so fucking dope.

 

Right right- she had to fight her- right.

 

”Claws out.” She muttered, becoming invisible within the screaming crowd as the soft flash of green light was smothered by the running bodies, revealing Panthera Noire as she stepped out. And the moment she did, the world’s eyes were all on her.

 

”Look everyone it’s Panthera Noire!”

 

”Oh my gosh!”

 

”Panthera Noire has just arrived on the scene-“

 

”Where’s Ladybug?!”

 

Juleka cracked her head to the side, ear twitching. Today was about to get interesting finally. Alright. No getting cocky. The Dupain Cheng’s bakery was shut off completely, metal security shields shutting everyone outside of the bakery.

 

”Alrighty then.. let’s get this done..” Juleka said, stretching her muscles out.

 

”Not yet, kitten.”

 

Panthera’s eyes thinned, and she immediately swung an arm around to slam it into Troublemaker’s face.

 

Click-ck

 

Juleka felt her ears twitch as they sprung free from beneath her hood as it flew off her head, letting heir long locks of dark hair fly around her shoulders and her hand went right through Troublemaker’s transparent face. The akuma’s violet, black, and white Kiss Homage looking face twisting into a wicked grin.

 

”So you wanna play rescue? No one's gonna be rescued today!” Troublemaker snickered, holding up what looked to be a small pen and pressing it.

 

Click-ck.

 

Troublemaker was suddenly opaque, and Juleka’s eyes widened as the akuma grabbed her onto her wrist ”Now be a good kitten and stay away!”

 

Juleka let out a shocked yelp as she was twisted around and thrown through the air. The air choked out of her throat as she slammed into the side of a van. Her kneels buckled beneath her as she tried up. Never mind. This wasn’t fun. At all.

 

She looked up dizzily seeing the akuma slowly strutting towards her with crazed eyes, before feeling Something wrap around her wrist, yanking her off of the bus’s side and sending her flying through the air. Still very not fun. As her screaming could imply, as she was sent flopping onto Marinette’s balcony.

 

“Oof.”

 

”Nice to see you on time.”

 

Juleka looked up, placing her hand on her hip and propping her head up with the other in a ‘draw me like one of your French girls’ pose as she grinned up at Ladybug. ”Hola Buggette.”

 

”What’s with the Spanish?” Ladybug said flatly. Juleka shrugged goofily, making Ladybug sigh lightly. “We need to hurry now. Come on.”

 

Juleka’s tail flicked around as Ladybug opened up the latch, climbing inside.

 

”We have to keep her fighting either outside or in the top two floors. The bakery is where the crew and the Dupain-Cheng’s are. We can’t risk hurting them during the fight.” Ladybug whispered. 

 

Juleka nodded along, before looking to the side and seeing the many pictures on the wall.

 

”I-“ Juleka started, thought immediately corrected her phrasing for what she was about to say. Saying ‘I thought she wasn’t into Adrien anymore’ would imply I knew Marinette as over her. And why would I know Marinette’s love life? I’m Panthera. Dumbass.

 

Panthera smoothed her hair back, putting on a playful smile as she held up a picture towards Ladybug teasingly “-I didn’t know Mwrinette was such a big Adrien fangirl, impressive collection. You may have some competition, Partner-”

 

”That- I- let go of that we can do room tours later-“ Ladybug sputtered, ripping it out of her hand, before trying to cover herself up with a quip. Juleka smirked as Marinette turned pink under her mask.

 

”What do you think this is this then?” Panthera asked carefully. Ladybug hummed to herself, eyes narrowing.

 

”I dunno, maybe she had a big crush on the guy but grew out of it but she printed too many damn pictures and wasn’t sure how to get rid of them...” Marinette mumbled huffily to herself. 

 

Juleka mentally snickered to herself. Wow, a ‘maybe’ huh? Guess that makes sense though. Well she’s convinced Panthera.

 

“Sounds very paws-ible.” Juleka purred.

 

”You haven’t punned in a while, kitty.” Ladybug noted with a smile, looking behind at her.

 

”Haven’t found the right ins-purr-ration for them in a while. Hope you missed them.” Juleka immediately spoke up, a grin spreading across her cheeks as she saw Ladybug giggle. “Well? Am I humor-hiss?”

 

”Oh stop you silly kitty” Ladybug snorted, tweaking Juleka’s nose and planing a hand on her hip with a playful grin going across her face. “We-“

 

Click-ck.

 

Panthera yanked up Marinette’s mattress, blocking multiple different thrown scissors and sharpened knives that were no doubt aimed at them. Her eyes thinned as she saw Troublemaker standing in the middle of the room, arm in the throwing position. Panthera’s ear twitched.

 

Juleka was suddenly sent flying forward as Marinette smacked her mattress down.

 

Click-ck.

 

She was sent flying through Troublemaker. Juleka snarled with pain, scraping across the ground of Marinette’s ground, god she hoped this fixed itself. She felt really bad about ruining that carpet and the floor.

 

”Sorry!” Ladybug shouted, jumping down next to her. Troublemaker popped out from the other side of the room, transparent-

 

Click-ck.

 

-then opaque as she threw an umbrella at them. Ladybug reeled her yo-yo back-

 

Click-ck.

 

-and Juleka watched as it went right through the transparent Troublemaker. Alright. She was getting the hang of this.

Click-ck.

 

Right. She was gone. Juleka’s eyes darted around, back against Ladybug as she searched for where the akuma went. Where where, where would she pop up next-

 

Click-ck.

 

Her ears flicked towards behind them, A move for the earnings Juleka deducedJuleka broke her baton in two pieces, sliding her foot next to Ladybug’s forward to trip her downwards. Juleka turned to see Troublemaker’s shocked expression.

 

Juleka smirked, smacking the pen out of her hand, sending it flying across the room. Troublemaker gasped.

 

”The pen, partner! The pen!” Juleka snarled, pouncing towards it with a pissed off Troublemaker. Three hands reached for the pen. Only one managed to grab it.

 

Click-ck.

 

”Touch me if you dare!” Troublemaker cackled, sliding through their hands and through the floor. Juleka cursed beneath her breath, what language it was, she didn’t know.

 

“Damn that bloody boot o’ a demon.. can’t even touch her with a ten foot pole, even if a wanted to.” Juleka spat.

 

”Yes, but for her to touch us, she’d have to become tangible too!” Ladybug snapped a finger, the figurative lightbulb above her head shining brightly. Juleka smiled warmly at her.

 

”Thats my girl.” She said, as they slid downstairs, finding no Akuma, but at least they were moving. Juleka’s eyes darted around, ears twitching as they stood back to back.

 

”Be careful.” Ladybug warned.

 

”We’ve got this.” Juleka reassured, gripping her staff tightly. 

 

”rrRRAGH!”

 

Juleka let out a gasp as she suddenly felt her arm twisted backwards, looking around she could see Troublemaker’s twisted smile as she reached for her ring. Juleka was about to knock her head backwards into Troublemaker’s skull but heard the whizz of a yo-yo. Oh no- Partner wait-

 

She felt Troublemaker suddenly pulled against her as they both found themselves tied up. Juleka could hear another. Click-ck.

 

Oh this bites.

 

Juleka shouted with pain as she was kicked in the stomach into the bookshelf, falling to the ground in a crumple of mass. She hissed with pain, blinking dizzily as the numbed pain slowly fluttered away. Thank god for the magic of the suit. Now what was-

 

Troublemaker was holding up one earring.

 

“The battle is already halfway done, Ladybug. How pathetic of you, I expected more.” Troublemaker smirked as she sat on top of Ladybug’s struggling form. The cat hero watched from the other side of the room, eyes wide.

 

Marinette’s identity was about to be-

 

Panthera’s eyes thinned.

 

A chord inside Panthera snapped. THAT COULDN’T HAPPEN.

 

She let out a snarl, pouncing towards her, claws stretched out as she aimed for Troublemaker’s face-

 

CATACLYSM!”

 

Troublemaker gasped, clicking her pen immediately but growling with anger as she realized the one earring fell out of her hand. Panthera flew straight through her, crashing against the wall, luckily not hitting anything with her glowing hand.

 

”DAMN IT I WAS SO CLOSE!” Troublemaker spat with anger, disappearing beneath the floor boards as Panthera sat up crawled over to help Ladybug up who’s face as becoming more like Marinette’s. One eye completely open without a mask along with her hands and part of her neck slowly become more and more exposed.

 

Juleka knew who the girl was in front of her. She could recognize that one eye. But she still turned regardless to give Ladybug some “privacy” to fix herself as she reattached her earring to her ear.

 

”That was too close.” Ladybug said shakily.

 

”We end this. Now.” Juleka snarled, staring at her bubbling hand. Feeling the soft hum of cataclysm hanging in her hand. Her eyes thin. “Partner?”

 

Ladybug nodded, still a little spooked ”R-Right, Lucky Charm!”

 

A broken plate landed in her hands. A trickle of doubt carried through Juleka’s being.

 

”I- I can’t seem to piece it together, what do I do with this?!” Ladybug cried

 

”Did you get weaker due to the..” She muttered to herself. Ladybug shook her head desperately.

 

”N-No! I can’t have- just give me a second I can- t-there!” Ladybug grinned at Panthera as she found a piece of glue on the ground that had toppled over from the bookshelf Juleka crashed into. “It’s gluing time!”

 

Juleka stared at Ladybug as she began to work out her.. plan

 

”..You’ve got to be kidding me.”

 

...

 

”Hurry up Partner, with your weakened state we can’t afford wasting anymore time!”

 

Troublemaker grinned to herself as she listened from the skylight.

 

There was a beat of silence as the akuma waited. Her cruel heart skipping a beat as she heard-

 

“She’s not here, I’ll check outside.” Panthera hissed,

 

”Panthera no! You can’t leave me alone! I only have a weak, plate to defend myself! I and my frail body will be helpless!”

 

Troublemaker grinned from ear to ear, twitching with excitement as she squeezed her pen in her hand. That’s right..! Fear me!

 

She clicked it, flying down through the ceiling and with another click, crashed into Ladybug with a cackle, the girl feebly throwing the plate at her to which he dodged. Hearing the crash against the wall. Hah! These stupid kids never learn! 

 

Troublemaker smirked, ready to rip them damn earrings right off her earlobes.

 

”Please don’t!” Ladybug helplessly cried.

 

“Got you now!” She shouted, feeling the cold tendrils of Hawkmoth’s voice curl around her face in his glowing visor.

 

”Yes Troublemaker! Take her miraculous!” He hissed delightfully through her ears. Troublemaker nodded, making the tug but- nothing.

 

”W-what the-“ Troublemaker muttered, and suddenly that sad pitiful face was wiped off of Ladybug’s face, replaced with only smug victory.

 

”How’s my acting?” Ladybug asked innocently, grabbing onto Troublemaker’s wrists. Troublemaker’s face twisted with rage.

 

”What the hell did you-“

 

”Bravo, partner.” Panthera purred from above, Troublemaker looked up in rage as she saw the cat hero sitting innocently from Marinette’s bed, twirling what looked to be superglue in her class. “A top notch, purr-formance.

 

Troublemaker exploded with anger, trying to rip her hands away, trying to grab her pen before it was too late. No! No she couldn’t! She refused to go back to that life- that life where-

 

Where she was working with the man of her dreams. The one she years in, making some unforgettable memories. Where the work was worth it, and at the end of the day she’d find herself sighing with pride. Signing off as another successful day. The job that yes, came out of the blue when she was hired, that she didn’t expect her life becoming, but, but one she wanted.

 

That life where she was Penny. Troublemaker stopped lashing for a moment, her face falling.

 

And then the feeling left her. No she wouldn’t be taken away from her freedom! Who cared about Jagged, who cared about Penny, they all cared about her just working for them! But now.!

 

She clicked her pen- only to find nothing happen. Troublemaker’s eyes blinked as she saw the tube of superglue in her hand instead.

 

”Hwuh?” She mumbled in confusion, before looking up as Panthera twirled her pen in her hand.

 

Panthera grinned at her “Cheers.”

 

Troublemaker screamed with rage as Panthera passed it to her glowing hand

 

It was over.

 

...

 

“NO!” Troublemaker made one last garbled cry before falling to her knees as the darkness covering her body bubbled away. Ladybug catching and releasing the now purified butterfly.

 

”Bye bye, little butterfly”

 

”And so, out of chaos and destruction comes creation.” Juleka purred softly. She got a weird look from Ladybug. “What? I can be poetic.”

 

Ladybug rolled her eyes happily, tossing up the broken plate, “Miraculous ladybug!”

 

Juleka smiled to herself as she watched Marinette’s room return to its former glory. Woo! Win! They did it! Aw damn it Juleka still had to get pastries for Adam. Darn.

 

Penny shook her head groggily, looking up at the heroes with wide eyes.

 

”W-What the- what happened- what happened to Jagged! Is he okay?” She cried with worry. Juleka blinked, before feeling her heart feel all gooey as she smiled. Awww she’s worried about Jagged. That’s hella cute. Reminds me of my failing love life. How nice.

 

Ladybug knelt down to Penny with a soft smile “You’re always thinking of everyone else, trying to put everyone before you, but let’s worry about Penny for a change? How’re you feeling?”

 

Penny blinked widely at her before smiling softly “I’m- I’m okay. Thank you, Ladybug.”

 

Ladybug motioned her head towards the skylight to Panthera, before waving goodbye at the assistant.

 

”Bugout!”

 

”Rock on!” Panthera waved.

 

With their rings beeping, they stood outside for a moment, seeing the coast mostly clear.

 

”That was a close call, guess you won’t be knowing my identity for a little while longer, kitty.” Ladybug said lightly. Juleka smiled at her. Oh yeah?

 

”I already know who you are.” Juleka said, Ladybug’s face paled multiple layers as Juleka waited a second to let that sink in before speaking again with a joking tone as she tweaked the heroine’s nose “A girl who can’t take her own damn advice!”

 

Ladybug laughed with relief, “O-Oh! Hahaha! Silly kitty. You know me!”

 

Juleka smiled at her. That I do, Marinette. That I do.

 

”See you next time, Partner.” Panthera waved goodbye, before jumping off. Which would hopefully be soon. If Juleka Couffaine could manage to speak to Marinette with Jagged Stone in the same room.

 

...

 

”Penny!” Jagged cried, sniffling messily as he yanked her into a big bear hug “YOU’RE ALRIGHT!”

 

”A-Ah! Y-Yes I am- I’m so sorry for ah- losing my temper at you all.” Penny laughed weakly. Jagged pulled away.

 

”Don't you dare apologize, I’m just so glad you’re rockin and rollin again and not a villain! I don’t know what it’d ever do without my best lady by my side!” Jagged said with shining eyes. Penny felt her cheeks darken, heat crawling up her face as she smiled softly. Fully embracing the hug.

 

How was Penny feeling, Ladybug had asked. Penny was feeling great.

 

 

Notes:

Penny Rolling,, I love her,,

I wrote her a lot more than I thought it would’ve, she’s just, so lovely. And it’s cute that she has like, a very clear crush on Jagged in canon. They remind me of Varrick and Zhu Lee from Korra.

I’m on a Panthera roll this week! I’m back bitches

Chapter 45: Gigantitan

Notes:

Ah yes. The baby.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

It was the last days of preparation before the play. And Juleka felt deeply uneasy.

 

Kim flubbed up his lines very easily, Alix just didn’t seem into it, Mylene and her continuously got stage fright when they tried to go through the entire thing, some disaster caused a ton of the outfits Marinette made to become damaged- 

 

Suffices to say, Juleka again, felt deeply deeply uneasy.

 

”We can’t waste all of our fake blood right now during rehearsal.” Adam said, clapping as Juleka looked up from the ground she was laying on with Rose by her side in the middle of her ‘sobbing’ bit “But good job right now, that was perfect, Rose, Juleka.”

 

”Oh thank you Adam!” Rose squealed, as Adam smiled warmly at her. Juleka felt her heart sink. The two had yet acted out the full kiss scene yet. That being the first one during act one and the last one in act two. Too many problems got in the way, apparently. But once they kissed on stage, Juleka knew it would be over. Rose would be the type to completely fall head over heels over a small kiss. 


Panthera wondered what she would do, before Rose leaned up to Panthera’s face and put a hand between their mouths, so she was kissing into her own fingers.

 

If only she could’ve done so with her. With Panthera.

 

If you win; Please take care of her. She thought, her hand clenching tightly with smothered jealousy as she stared at Adam and Rose chatting. 

 

”Speaking of which, Juleka” Adam said, calling her over as she looked back up at him. “See me after? We need to do some things. Your projecting needs to be better and we can’t have you freezing up during the performance”

 

Juleka tried not to make her eye roll obvious and nodded. Jeez. They hadn’t talked much since, you know, Princess Prom, but, it felt like Adam really had been making every petty option to keep her busy. Could’ve been a coincidence, but Juleka had thought low enough of Adam that that’s what she assumed.

 

“Yeah yeah.. sure..” Juleka mumbled, twisting the ring around her finger.

 

”You’re a genius at this Adam!” Rose squealed “This production is gonna be incredible!”

 

”Haha! Well-“ Adam chuckled softly, taking her hand “Let’s do our best to make it so, Princess.”

 

Juleka’s eyes thinned, as she stood up and made a quick exit off the stage. Her eyes narrowed with anger as she made a bee line to the club room so she could focus on something else- anything else.

 

”Oh hey, you look... tireder than normal.” Alix commented beside her. Juleka just chuffed, picking up a paintbrush. “You okay?”

 

”Peachy.” Juleka said simply. “How’s your lines?”

 

”Adam’s being picky about it.” Alix said, looking back at the large castle “More this, more that, less slumping, you know?”

 

The only performance that seemingly perfect every time was Rose’s. Which of course- was true- she was incredible- but because it was Adam they were talking about. Juleka couldn’t help but despise the guy, and everything he said. 

 

What a bitter feeling jealousy was.

 

Juleka watched as the two entered the room and immediately glued her eyes back to her work so she wouldn’t glare. It felt like her emotions flipped flopped through rage and depression every few minutes. It was exhausting. Draining. Why did she have to be so unlucky this way?

 

We are the one deserving of her love are we not? The bubbling ickiness that dared called itself her heart thickly asked. Does our history not matter? What we’ve done for her-

 

What we’ve done for her was make her uncomfortable. We confessed, we got our answer, so just please, shut up. Her conscious shot back. You jealous, selfish, little-

 

You say that like I’m not you. You say this like you’re talking to someone that isn’t yourself. But I’m just thinking to myself aren’t I. I want to be loved. I want to be loved by her. Juleka thought, her face falling as she looked up at the stage where Rose’s cheeks softened to a pink as Adam talked to her. But I don’t deserve that do I.

 

...

 

”There, how’s that fit?” Juleka asked, stepping back to see Ivan’s full costume. That being a long kingly tunic with a large black cape.

 

”Hm.. good.” He said gruffly “Though.. it feels like if I move too quickly the crown will fall right off..”

 

”That’s not good then..” Marinette muttered to herself, tapping her pen to her lip. “Might’ve made the rim too small for your head, Ivan.”

 

”Yeah for sure.” He nodded as Juleka reached for the materials to find that they were scarce. Uh oh.

 

”Guess we need a quick shopping trip.” Marinette mused, turning to the rest of the crew “Hey everyone! We’re going on a shopping bit, do you guys need anything?”

 

Mylene waved on one side of the room “Broke a paintbrush over here!”

 

”Need some more duck tape!”

 

“We could use some more construction paper!”

 

Juleka nodded along as more requests were shouted out, writing down on her phone as she gave Marinette a look while they packed up.

 

”Right, we’ll be back soon guys!” Marinette smiled brightly as the two began to walk out of the room. Unfortunately bumping into Adam and Rose. Juleka sweated.

 

”Where are you guys going?” Rose said curiously. Juleka felt her jaw locked in place but Marinette managed to speak for her.

 

”Another supply run!” Marinette smiled as Juleka tried to push past them. Rose looked up at her.

 

”I can come!” She offered.

 

”We need to go over your lines more, Rose. Sorry. You two- be quick- Couffaine, meet me at the location I sent you.” Adam said quickly. Juleka glared at him. But she couldn’t object. She didn’t have the strength to. Rose’s face fell into a bit of a frown but she nodded, walking after Adam with a small smile.

 

Juleka stared after her, if she was transformed her ears would no doubt be pinned flat against her head. But she still followed after Marinette.

 

Walking out of school, Juleka’s brain stirred. Why’d I leave her alone with that jerk? He’ll steal her away completely at this rate. I’ll be alone forever if that happens. I can’t- but she’s not mine. But I want her. But that’s not my right to decide. 

 

She squeezed her ring tightly as a chill went up her spine. I sound like Him thinking these things. I’m acting like a child.

 

She fiddled with the fold of her shirt as they passed by a shop. Marinette glancing inside.

 

”Oh, we might be able to find something nice in there.” She commented with a smile. Juleka looked up, and nodded quietly as she followed her inside. Marinette smiled “You know- We haven’t talked much since Picture day, how have you been?”

 

Juleka opened her mouth to speak but just gave an awkward shrug with a weak smile. She didn’t know what to say. Ladybug would technically know how she’d been doing, but they weren’t Ladybug and Panthera at the moment.

 

Juleka felt like she should’ve talked more. This was her partner! One of her closest friends technically. Someone she trusted her life to and was willing to take a bullet for- but Juleka still found herself suffocating in the no doubt awkward energy she was giving poor Marinette.

 

”I- I’ve been kinda busy lately, this whole, play thing has been uh, c-crazy.” Juleka mumbled, peering at Marinette from beneath her dark locks of hair. “I still keep those pictures though, and I- uh- thank you for that. I hope you know I haven’t forgotten what you did for me, it was very kind of you..”

 

“Oh! No problem, Juleka!” Marinette beamed up at her. Juleka’s lips curled into a small smile.

 

”Right, then we’ve got a few things we’ve got take care of then. Let’s start here where we are-“

 

They made their way through Paris together, for once, as just Juleka and Marinette. Of course, Juleka saw Marinette in Ladybug. Her little flubs, her creative artist eyes, but it was strange to see so much Ladybug in Marinette as Juleka spent a lot more time with Ladybug than the fashion designer ironically.

 

Though Juleka does remember being in class with her for a few years. And despite her shyer she held in the past, Juleka couldn’t help but see the cracks of heroism in her that burst out to glow brightly with the Ladybug mask on.

 

They decided to take a break at the park. Taking a moment to enjoy the sunny day with their bags of materials beside them. Marinette however ran off when she saw a young woman struggling with her little baby carrier thing. Juleka forgot what it was called.

 

They had bumped into Officer Roger when they ran across the street a little too earlier. Him saying they needed to be more careful while he gave a small look to her. But he didn’t seem to be too mean about it.

 

”You two are in my daughter’s class right? Yeah you are, and you too huh? You’ve gotten quite tall.” Roger said, adjusting his hat as he stared at her with a careful look. “Stay out of trouble.”

 

She hummed tiredly as she laid in the sunlight of the bench, eyes drowsy as Plagg poked his head out of her bag.

 

”You should've bought some yummy cheese when you were out!” He whined.

 

”Not with Marinette around.” Juleka whispered, though not pulling away from petting behind the small cat God’s ear. Hearing his soft purr. “Later though, I promise.”

 

”You sound sad. You still mopey over Princey? I say we stuff his locker full of smelly socks” Plagg suggested. Juleka’s eye twitched. That was intensely temping. But no. No no. No.

 

”That won’t be happening.” Juleka huffed

 

”Why not? Cause it’ll make you the ‘bigger person?’” Plagg asked, tilting his head to the side as he nommed greedily on the string cheese she handed him. “Whatever about that, you deserve to be happy so just be selfish for once!”

 

Juleka considered that, and for a moment, she wanted to agree with it. But instead she just felt a guilty twist in her stomach. She was selfish. She’d been focusing so hard on what she wanted that she completely forgot-

 

‘“I.. I love someone else.”

 

“I know this isn’t what you wanted. I’m sorry- Panthera- and I do- I do like you. A lot. You were my second love.” Rose said, her voice cracking a little as she suppressed her own tears. Why was she crying? “But.. like I said.. my heart belongs to another.. and I can’t- I can’t force myself to see them in you, to the point I’m just using you- I love you too much to do that.”’

 

Juleka rubbed her face tiredly, with a slight glare to expression.

 

”I’m not considering Rose if I do that.” She said simply “I can’t dare to be selfish.”

 

Plagg just shrugged, “Suit yourself.”

 

They were then interrupted by the giant baby stomping around, making the ground shake and Juleka almost shake off the bench entirely.

 

Wait.

 

What?

 

Juleka blinked a couple times looking up at the giant baby. I- seriously what the fuck is that? Juleka stood up as she stared at the giant, purple and green covered, baby, stomping around Trocadero.

 

”LOLLIPOP!” It roared.

 

”I- I- I-..” Juleka sputtered, shaking her head to check if she was seeing things “Okay. Right. Doing- doing the- doing the hero thing okay- where is- no- no no focus on the thing- I’ll just leave this here-“

 

Juleka hopped behind the bench to cover herself, as she looked around for anyone watching. Seeing no one, she pulled Plagg out of her bag.

 

”Let’s get this over this quickly” He groaned “I’m not feeling too good.”

 

”Maybe your endless stomach finally admitted it’s smaller than your eye.” Juleka quipped “You’ll be fine. Plagg! Claws out!”

 

Okay. Look.

 

Juleka hated children.

 

She swore she did.

 

Trust her she, she absolutely thought children were annoying. She promised.

 

”Heeyyy little- erm- big one, come here come here- look at the kitty.” Panthera cooed, ringing her bell collar a little as she tapped her pole on the roof she was standing on. Watching as Gigantitan waddled towards her, babbling with a happy expression as he grabbed at her, barely missing her.

 

“Kibdy! Kidty!” He squealed. Juleka’s mind raced. What to do, what to do.

 

”Where’s your akuma, lil’ one..” Juleka muttered to herself, eyes darting around the giant baby’s form. She couldn’t figure it out, she was too focused on keeping him from grabbing him. “Alright- keep your eyes on me!”

 

Juleka jumped on top of his head and leapt off onto the ground, rolling across the ground several feet. Gigantitan’s eyes tracked her wide and curious.

 

”Come on! Come on baby! Bet you can’t catch me!”

 

”Kitty kitbby!”

 

”Yes, yes that’s me, come on!” Juleka waved her arms, skipping away as the ground shook beneath her. If this was going to be the closest thing to her dream Kaiju battle, then dear lord she felt robbed. The giant pink Godzilla with bunny ears from her actual dreams was better than this! And that was a weird dream! Specially the part with Rose dressed in a cat suit. Actually, no making out with her in that dream was pretty sick. That was a cool dream.

 

Wait where was she? Right.

 

Juleka ran across the ground, jumping around Trocadero as Gigantitan scrambled happily after her, babbling and cooing. She leapt up into the air only to yelp as she was caught mid jump.

 

”A-Ah shi-shoot..!” Juleka hissed, eyes wide as Gigantitan stared widely at her. She couldn’t struggle and rip out of his hands like this. Someone? Help!?

 

”Loli-pop!” Gigantitan squealed, gummy mouth opening wide. OH NO FUCK THAT-

 

”Hello Panthera! Something tells me you’re not the best with kittens?”

 

Juleka sighed with relief, seeing Ladybug standing smugly on the pavement. Using the distraction as she felt the baby’s grip loosen, Juleka dropped to the ground next to her with a smile. Flicking her hair to the side.

 

”We were just playing cat and mouse, Partner. Don’t make fun.” She purred, tapping her with her elbow. Ladybug looked up at the giant, eyes flicking around his form.

 

”The akuma must be in his bracelet!” She decided, whipping her yo-yo around and circling it around his wrist, before the baby let out a cry and proceeded to launch her into the sky. Juleka clicked her tongue, calmly extending her pole after her and leaning right next to her.

 

”Bad with kittens, you say?” Juleka purred, eyebrow raising.

 

”Oh Ha-ha. Like I’ve dealt with a ten ton baby.” Ladybug huffed. Juleka nodded along, grabbing Ladybug’s shoulder and calmly yanking her forward to avoid the giant baby hand. “Oh- thank you- now, our next plan.”

 

”Let’s just be simple about this?” Juleka suggested curtly, grinning to herself as she launched forward and reached for the bracelet. “CATA-“

 

She was smacked into the ground like a fly, letting out a loud ‘oof’ as she laid on the ground tiredly. Hair a bristled mess. Ladybug landed next to her, smiling now.

 

”May I share my Plan B then?” Ladybug asked. Juleka rose an eyebrow.

 

”And that’s...?”

 

”We put him in a playpen!”

 

And exactly where are we gonna find a playpen his size?”

 

“The Eiffel Tower! We'll pen him up in there with my yo-yo string. Sing him some lullabies. You know some, don't you? We can read him a bedtime story! Make cooing noises. Then when he's getting sleepy...BAM! You'll use your Cataclysm to destroy his bracelet!” Ladybug rambled excitedly.

 

Juleka blinked a little, trying to paint the image Marinette had vividly in her head.

 

”Right, you’re feeling convoluted today, partner.” Juleka said slowly “I don’t think we should expect so much from a baby, specifically expecting one to cooperate. They’re very unpredictable.”

 

”It’ll be fine!” Ladybug grinned, swinging away “Just keep up!”

 

Juleka rolled her eyes playfully and jumped after her. Juleka whistled at Gigantitan, making sure he was keeping up as they slowly bounced their way towards the direction of the Eiffel Tower.

 

...

 

Alix yawned as she skated across Pont des Arts bridge boredly. Adam told her to go on another supply run after she flipped Kim a little too hard onto the table for a battle scene and she broke it. But having gotten hungry, well, ice cream sounded great in this late afternoon heat.

 

”Hello Alix~!”

 

”Oh, you, the, Andre guy” Alix said, rolling to a stop in front of his cart. “How’ve sales been, dude?”

 

”Oh just wonderful! Despite Mr Hawkmoth being so scary, the ice creams of love have never been so creamy!” Andre chimed brightly, “Was that a good rhyme?”

 

”A little forced and could be heard weird, but you’re doing great.” Alix laughed.

 

”Would you like a scoop?” Andre offered, Alix nodded happily as he took out his ice cream scooper. Waiting for him to prepare her ice cream she sat down on the bench beside him and began to fidget with her watch.

 

At that very moment Panthera Noire came crashing into the stall, breaking through the roof of the ice cream cart with her legs dangling out of it, her eyes wide. She glanced at the two of them.

 

”Well- uh, hey guys, care to help a cat?”


...

 

Juleka landed next to Ladybug with a smile as Andre and Alix had Gigantitan chasing them around Trocadero. It’d be a temporary distraction, but it at least gave Ladybug some more time to think. 

 

“A mix of a plan and also winging it?”

 

”Yep. Lucky Charm!”

 

Landing in Ladybug’s hands was a roll of something red and black dotted, unrolling it, Ladybug found it to be wrapping paper.

 

”Guess Tikki wants us to, wrap things up, eh?” Panthera grinned from ear to ear. Ladybug let out a loose laugh, but began to dart her eyes around. Juleka just smiled at her as Ladybug snapped a finger.

 

”I got it!” Ladybug grinned, beginning to pull everything together. Juleka watched with great interest, helping cut the paper a few times, while also keeping an eye on Gigantitan, who finally caught up to poor Andre who was hauling his broken ice cream stand and Alix who jumped ship as Gigantitan reached for her and the large cardboard cut out she was holding.

 

Juleka watched as he began to cry upon realizing what he was holding wasn’t a lollipop, and began to jingle the bell hanging from collar, while she leaned against the light pole beside her. Gigantitan’s eyes widened at her.

 

”Hello Marshmallow, want something sweet lil’ one?” Juleka cooed, ringing her bell a little more before cocking her head towards the light pole. With a wrapped, lollipop looking top.

 

”LOLLIPOP!”

 

Juleka stepped back a little as Gigantitan dislodged the lamp from the ground, ripping the wrapper off to see Ladybug sitting inside with a smile.

 

”Trojan Lollipop!” Ladybug shouted, leaping onto the giant baby’s wrist and pressing it’s opening button, making it crash into the ground, flipping off of it just in time as Panthera slid over and with a flick of her claws-

 

“Cataclysm!”

 

-dissolved the giant bracelet into ash. A tiny butterfly floating out of it before being swiped up by Ladybug’s yo-yo.

 

”Your days are over akuma! Time to de-evilize!” Ladybug shouted, landing on the ground before opening up the small magical toy and letting the white creature flutter away “Bye bye little butterfly!”

 

She tossed up the remains of the wrapping paper.

 

”Miraculous ladybug!”

 

It was then that Juleka watched Gigantitan’s form disappear, leaving- oh god this was an actual actual infant- shit-

 

Juleka leapt through the air and grabbed the confused baby into her arms, falling through the hair for a moment before landing with a hefty thud.

 

But then Juleka began to panic as the baby’s wide green eyes stared up at her and began to cry, no doubt from the scare of being akumatized, dropped through the air, and now looking at some scary goth oh boy-

 

“Sshh shh it’s okay, it’s okay” Juleka said quietly, rocking the little guy in her arms, ringing her bell a little and watching him light up at her. “You’re safe now.”

 

The little guy began to babble happily, grabbing at her hair and bell, which Juleka ignored to make sure he was okay.

 

”Well well, perhaps I was wrong, maybe you are good with kittens after all, partner.” Ladybug teased, skipping up next to the cat hero. Panthera rolled her eyes.

 

...

 

”Charment, you asked to see me? I almost got lost with the location you sent me.” Juleka spoke, looking up and her lips parting in awe “Oh wow.”

 

”Yes.” Adam said happily, staring wide eyed at the scenery before him. “Impressive isn’t it. I- never thought we’d actually get to rent something out like this, this is, incredible. Haha.”

 

The entire set was nearly completed for the play. It really was impressive. The drama club was able to rent out an actual theatre. With an actual stage and actual curtains and floors and the whole shibang. Though perhaps it was thanks to the literal daughter of the mayor of Paris literally being on the acting theme and enjoying it.

 

A staircase was covered by the fake castle built by the sfx crew which stood in front of the long painted background. Juleka wondered if there was anything else she helped make in the wings. Like the fake dungeon. Or the really dope bush. Hell yeah.

 

”Apologies if I’m late” Juleka said through a forced tone of quiet politeness. “I got caught up in the akuma and I had to get the stuff back to the club room and well- yes yes you probably know.”

 

”Hm? Ah. Yes, I saw the alert on my phone.” Adam said, turning to her. Juleka stared up at him from ground before the stage. His eyes were glimmering brightly despite the shadow he casted down at her. He was wearing Prince Edmund’s crown for whatever reason. “We need to talk.”

 

”Must we?” Juleka rose an eyebrow, lips pulled into a growl “Or is this you picking an argument you want to win?”

 

Adam paused, observing her “So she bites back.”

 

”I don’t mean to.” Juleka said quickly, scrambling over to the stairs to get on “L-Look I don’t want any fight, I just don’t know why you called me here? It’s cause of my lines r-right? Let’s just get that over with..”

 

Adam said nothing to that, just waiting for her to stand before him.

 

”Page 14. I know you’re aware of what that is.” He said in an ordering tone. Juleka’s eyes narrowed but her knees fell beneath her as she stared off into a direction that didn’t exist.

 

My dear princess, it doesn’t matter who you love. As long as you keep smiling, and continue your beck on call my name, I shall always b-be with you-“ Juleka said, with a gentle tremble in her voice as she immediately tried to recite what she was supposed to say.

 

”It’s always be by your side.” Adam corrected “Did you not read the lines?”

 

”I did, but someone’s been putting me on a billion duties at once, Princey.” Juleka spat at him, with a glare. He ignored it.

 

”Continue. Princess Dahlia said: ‘But Olive, my love for Prince Edmund-‘“

 

I shall protect that secret till my dying breath, my lady.” Juleka said quickly, like there were cotton balls in her throat as she glared at her from the side her vision. “It’s you who matters. No I.”

 

Adam nodded along “The pirates arrive, Adrien stalks across the stage and says-“

 

”He says ‘I don’t think so, love’. Yeah I know.” Juleka said, standing up and staring at Adam. “I then get stabbed. I drop. Rose cries. Adrien does a monologue. And he drags Rose away.”

 

”You did fine during rehearsal for that scene.” Adam decided “We don’t have to repeat it”

 

Juleka nodded along. And they acted like that for a while. Discussing acting. Discussing movements. Discussing the set and changes that would be done. As well as lighting.

 

”For your mid act kiss- the team was wondering a few things? Max suggested we try and drag out that moment with a still spotlight for this, lingering affect, but perhaps a tasteful cut off and switch to positions x and h could-“

 

”Have you given up on Rose Lavillant?”

 

Juleka’s stare turned cold as she stared at the board. She didn’t meet his gaze.

 

”Why do you ask?” She asked carefully, gripping her ring tightly in her hand as she placed the board on the ground. So she wouldn’t snap it in half when she knew her angry would be lost from her control.

 

She hated Adam. The flame inside her burned and hungered to turn him into ash. Juleka wanted to tear her claws into him a sadistic rage and watch him squirm. It was a dark heavy feeling, and Juleka despised it.

 

Adam stared down at her “That pitiful sad look in your gaze is not the one that will bring Rose happiness. Don’t you think?”

 

Juleka felt a low pang in her stomach “I do agree with that.”

 

”Then why do you dare still fight against me and her’s love?” He asked. “With that glare of yours?”

 

Juleka thought on that but no words came out. Not even the obvious answer she knew too well. It was because she was selfish of course.

 

“For your mental health, I say give up. Failure and loss of love is truly the deepest pain, and with the sins we both bare, we are one in the same. So before I slay you, I apologize. I’ve never met such a worthy opponent.” Adam said, deep in his monologging tone. Juleka glared at him with a seething look.

 

”Spare me your words, that all sounds like bullshit to me.” She spat.

 

”Are you willing to do anything for her?” Adam asked. Juleka opened her mouth to say of course yes but her stomach sank as he continued. “Even making her unhappy? Betraying her for your own gain? For her love?”

 

”Do you think you can make Rose happy?”

 

Juleka didn’t respond, the sheer idea of making Rose unhappy having frozen her to the ground.

 

”These are the things I consider” Adam said slowly, “Do you even think about her?”

 

”Do you?”

 

”Of course! Every day, I desire her deeply after all.” Adam said toughly, standing in the bright spotlight of the stage with open arms. “My love for her beats like the drums of war, and war is what we two have engaged in, and a war is one you shall lose! It’s a promise!”

 

”So that’s why you invited me here.. to tell me how much you want Rose, and that I should give up?” Juleka asked

 

”Have you not already?” Adam asked, eyebrow raising before he hissed at her “If you can’t believe she could love you; stop reaching for her. Your heart will shatter again and again, and the glass shards on the floor with merely make yours and many other’s feet bleed.”

 

“You reek the smell of indifference and cowardice” 

 

Juleka just stared at him. Eyes thin. Adam strutted towards her, shoving a pamphlet against her chest. Juleka didn’t grab it, she just let it fall to the ground, but she knew what it was. It was the pamphlet for the play. Drawn by Nathaniel- of Rose, dressed in Dahlia’s gown, holding Adam in Prince Edmund’s while a shadowy figure that  was supposed to be Adrien looked over the burning castle.

 

“This fairy tale between me and Rose.. has no space.. for a girl like you..” He said in a hushed tone, sending Juleka back so many nights ago. Her eyes shook with anger as she met his. “So stay in the wings where you must,”

 

And then he waltzed off, into the darkness of the curtains, leaving her alone in the flickering spotlights. Juleka’s hands shook by her sides, before, loosening. He- he was right. Wasn’t he.

 

”—Let it be known, wench, evil one, ripper of the seas and stealer of the innocents souls, that my heart will not by stalled- to reclaim my love, and the honor of my kingdom!”

 

“I’m still glad I got to dance with you.” Rose added weakly 

 

“I’m sorry.. I can’t return your feelings Panthera.. I..” Rose sucked in an uneasy breath before softly speaking “I.. I love someone else.”

 

Juleka tsked under her breath, trying to suppress the tears stinging in her dark copper eyes.

 

Damn it all..

 

 

Notes:

Fuck it’s been a ride!
Also! I made something! Based on the last scene of this chapter, I made an animatic, hope you enjoy! https://youtu.be/gL7dAaq0iEs

Chapter 46: Analysis of a Liar

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Lila was a liar. Past tense, sort of, hopefully, okay look she was trying. Lying came to her as easily she breathed and in the state of panic, it’s all she could do. Luckily, she wasn’t scared or on edge every second now in days. So she was able to manage easier.

 

Her once endless lonely days were now filled with busyness. It was admittedly as exciting as it was tiring. But, but a nice tiring. A tiring that was worth it compared to pre-Paris.

 

She both had a lot of free time and a lot of not. As she had somehow found herself yanked into the drama club and what a crack show that was. So as usual, Lila did the things she did best. Well, besides lying.

 

She watched and she observed.

 

Her own suspicions of the elusive Gabriel Agreste were a result of that, man hadn’t come out in more than a year according to her research. And how coincidental it was that Hawkmoth has had so much free time to akumatized every ticked person in sight.

 

But that was her part time investigation, Lila was eager to know more about her classmates at the very moment, she hadn’t had such close friends in a while, and maybe, even if she left Paris with her mother, she’d be able to keep in contact. Which was a hopeful thought.

 

Lila used to lie about things people wanted to hear. She’d listen to the people they’d admire and tell them there was a chance that one day they could meet them through her, she’d listen to what they felt bad about and said she was a part of charities to solve it- but now- she just learnt things. She analyzed.

 

Lila walked down the stairs biting on her pen as she thought on the last preparations for the play, it was like everything kept going wrong for no reason.

 

Still, miraculously, they all managed to keep going. Even if bad luck plagued them at every step it seemed. Lila figured that if they kept up at this rate, they would be pretty much done by opening day. It was pretty impressive in her opinion, as they weren’t given much help by the teachers.

 

aCHOO! WHO LET THIS CAT IN HERE!?” Adam screeched. Lila shouldn’t have jinxed it. She watched a small black creature run out of the room, paws covered in different types of paint as it circled around her. She cringed a little, foot lifting a little as she tried to keep it from touching her.

 

”Uhh” She said. 

 

ACHOO! LILA! GET IT OUT OF HERE!” Adam whined, pointing a rolled up piece of script at the cat near her feet. Lila rolled her eyes, staring at him as he continued to let out a string of sneezes “IT’S WRECKING EVERYTHING!”

 

”Do it yourself, drama queen.” She shot back, “It’s just a cat.”

 

”I’M- ACHOO!- ALLERGIC!” Adam screamed, Lila let out a groan of annoyance but blinked as someone shuffled past her in a blur of black, pink, and purple.

 

”I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry,,” Juleka mumbled, picking the small kitten up in a flustered hurry. “I’ll get it out of here..” 

 

“Aw, Minou got out again?” Rose tilted her head to the side. Lila watched the goth’s eyes soften at the girl, filled with endearingness, but also maybe even guilt, before letting out a weak laugh.

 

Juleka mumbled, ”I guess so, but he’s not really a house cat, so I’m not surprised.”

 

”Couffaine- ACHOO- GET YOUR DAMN CAT OUT OF HERE PLEASE- ACHOO!” Adam sneezed, face red and sniffly as Juleka and Rose skittered away, Rose squeaking a loud apology.

 

Lila quirked an eyebrow up with interest. Huh, alright then. He’s allergic to cats and Juleka semi owns one. Right then.

 

Walking inside, she assessed the damage of what the little critter caused, that being a trail of tiny paw prints from a spilt pile of paint over a few cardboard plants and castles. Right.

 

”Not too bad..” Lila mused to herself, looking to some kids just standing around “Can we get some people to clean this up? That’d be great!”

 

”Damm cats.. I- ACHOO!” Adam sniffled, rubbing his face as he wobbled in next to her. He looked to her with red eyes. “Could I get a tissue?”

 

”No. Suffer.” Lila deadpanned. Adam rolled his eyes and stomped off, grumbling about rudeness and regret. 

 

Adam Charment, B rate asshole, A plus actor. Worst person to work with, but at least he had a vision on things. He also kept Lila busy with stuff, which was nice, a good challenge. But his clear bias for a certain classmate of hers was clear. And it annoyed her greatly, if only others could see it. 

 

He never knew when to shut up either. Always going on dialogues or monologues or whatever the hell. Like he was the main character to some dumb show or stupid fan fiction.

 

”Who stuck a shoe up his ass today?” Aurore wondered next to her.

 

”It might be his own.” Lila remarked, giving a glance at Aurore. Not much could be said about her. Except her quick temper for certain competitions. She turned to her entirely, “Anything particularly wrong?”

 

”No, just overheard what he was yapping about?” Aurore rose an eyebrow. Why aren’t you doing anything then?! Her mind screamed, frustrated. She was one woman in charge of all of this shit damn it, she was supposed to be just the writer what happened. No wonder the guy before her quit the club.

 

”Get back to work, Beaureal.” Lila chuffed. Aurore waved a hand and walked away. There was lots of weird people here. Including her own classmates who she could spend hours picking apart.

 

She stared at Max. Their pride.. Then Kim, Chloe, and Alix bantering and arguing with eachother. Their fears of vulnerability.. She glanced at Alya and Rose across the room, talking as they entered. Their obsessions.. and-

 

Adrien and Marinette walked in, two of them laughing about something. Lila stared at them from the side of the room. Their incredible abilities to lie.

 

Now, as ironic as it sounded, Lila was a human lie detector. She could sniff it out and depending on what she was given, she could even figure out the Truth. Her eyes tightened as she stared at them from the other side of the room, tapping her pen on her papers with thought.

 

Adrien she found was someone very familiar to her. If this was some show, she’d even call him her character foil. Or perhaps she was his. How meta. Of course, the difference was he probably could keep his promises with her bigger sources. And he was definitely much more honest seeming than her.

 

Lila watched as he walked though, how he spoke, how he held himself like a pretty dress up doll waiting to be used and posed. She supposed thst must’ve been his entire life up to this point, and she’d doubt thst changed.

 

”Sorry I’m late, you know how father is so protective.” A lie. To himself more so. Lila watched with almost pity at the kid. Like he thought he really was convincing the people around him and himself that it was just the wanting to protect him that made his father keep him from society.

 

Lila wasn’t sure if she’d ever seen Adrien disappointed or sad. He always managed to keep it to himself. Always strategic in his war plan on how to be as ‘Adrien Agreste’ as possible. Eager to please as that made him happy. The biggest lies a liar made were ones that they too believed themselves.

 

She’d know.

 

”Yeah I’m fine! I’m just happy I got here!”

 

He never wanted to be seen. That Lila could respect. And why she made no move to ‘correct him’. He was quite in the right to keep whatever he was lying about to himself, at least, in her honest opinion.

 

Masks, she too found, were comfortable. They felt safe. They both found themselves able to wear all of kinds of masks with at least some degree of fondness and genuine enjoyment. She couldn’t see the problem in them. But then again. She was just like them.

 

She was amazed at how much he excelled though, as he crafted them well enough that they all contain a nugget of his true self, and none the whole of him. Impressive. But his lies were not always deliberate, and that just was sad to her.

 

She wondered what would’ve happened if she had continued to pursue him. Trying to use his perfect mask. Lila would lie that she harbored feelings for him, she would lie to convince herself that, she’d lie and say that’s what made her happy, and she’d be honest when she’d say this was what she wanted.

 

But this was a different universe, one where the last statement wouldn’t be the truth. She was much happier as the person she knew herself to be now. And one where she noticed another distinct liar in her lovely class.

 

Marinette, Marinette, how she adored Marinette. Such a sweetheart. Probably her first friend here. Lila looked around, trying to find something to do before she busied herself with helping Mylene fix some cardboard trees, giving her a polite smile as she glanced her eyes on Marinette every so often.

 

Marinette was interesting to Lila you see, because while Marinette expressed how much she hated liars, Lila could only see her covered by them. Obviously her excuses were lies. They were incredibly obvious and outlandish. They almost rivaled  Lila’s older lies.

 

However what made Lila tick was the subtle ones, the quieter ones, the convincing ones, and just how many lies Marinette could speak in a minute really. She could care less of what Marinette’s twenty minute bathroom breaks were.

 

Some were, really outlandish, but some Lila only realized to be fake hours later. To say Lila had her guesses wasn’t a lie, but she didn’t like the idea of the kind girl Marinette was one in the same as that overbearing fan girl Ladybug.

 

What? She could hold grudges. Let her live.

 

Marinette wasn’t living a lie either, she was lucky on so many thing and that was just truth. She didn’t lie and pretend she had a good life, she just did. But she did lie that she was okay. And that she’d been getting enough rest. That she’d been taking breaks. She only admitted to those things for another lie.

 

And people believed her because that’s the kind of person they believed her to be and that’s what made them work so well for her.  She was friendly disaster Marinette who hated to intentionally lie. And yet, those were still obvious in comparison to-

 

“Lila? Lila? Hey-“

 

She blinked in surprise a little, she must’ve zoned out in thought, or perhaps the person talking to her was too quiet. Lila looked up to see Juleka. A bit shocked, as the goth, just as ever, managed to sneak up on her. Wasn’t she getting rid of that cat earlier? Oh, wait Rose is here. They must’ve entered at some point and I missed them.

 

”Hand me that brush?” Juleka asked, her dark honey copper eyes looking at her a little expectantly.

 

Lila smiled, holding it up for her. Trying to hide her shock. 

 

”Sure, thing, Juleka.” She said. 

 

-Juleka Couffaine. Now Lila had no idea what was up with her. And she didn’t mean that in a rude ‘she’s weird’ way, but somehow, it felt like she was lying and being genuine at every second. Almost everything she said felt like a half truth in some way.

 

Juleka plucked the brush from Lila’s hand and began to work on her part of a ruined piece of cardboard from the earlier cat thing. Her entire form seemed to reek indifference and just a low energy state most of the people there were at, if not more, as Juleka was very shy and uncomfortable around crowded high stress areas.

 

And yet, when Lila looked at her eyes, they were completely focused. Hounding in on everything. She analyzed and observed just like her.

 

Lila kept her eyes down because she knew Juleka would notice. The gothic girl was a lot quicker intelligence wise than people thought, whether that’s just cause Juleka didn’t talk to many people besides Rose, or because she was quiet on purpose, Lila couldn’t tell. Both options seemed true.

 

Juleka was an incredible lier, but she was an even better speaker of half truths. And those always threw Lila off. It made her feel unstable. Like her tower of lie seeing abilities would wobble with each hiss of Juleka’s voice. Every spit. Every tic. Every purposeful and unpurposeful stutter and tilt of a voice that would convince people what she was feeling and thinking was real.

 

And that’s why Lila made a whole character for her in the play.

 

Lila brushed hard onto the cardboard. Her eyes flicking around the room every few moments to check up on the rest of the crew. Adam was talking to Rose who was smiling dreamily, Aurore was helping Sabrina with some boxes, Ivan was helping Chloe with her lines- alright, good, good. Productivity.

 

She looked to Juleka and saw that her gaze had focused on Rose. Flicking between her and the drama’s club president with a mix of a glare and a sad wince.

 

Lila really thought Juleka would’ve nailed her audition, but she miscalculated how big her stage fright was, plus Adam latching onto said stage fright as an excuse to keep her from a close role with Rose.

 

To say she was disappointed was the truth. Lila could definitely see how much Juleka wanted to play a role. But off Juleka had scurried from the stage, flustered, and fearful.

 

Lila was stubborn though, and gifted by the akuma setting back the role announcements, she managed to convince Adam to add ‘Handmaiden Olive’ into the play. And she lied, saying she had all of the lines for her made, and she just forgot to add her to the list and script because it was in a version that got corrupted.

 

Why? Lila didn’t know, maybe she was grateful Juleka was nice to her and let her use her mom’s ship as inspiration of Malachite and taught her how to cook. Lila didn’t know how else to wingman, she didn’t have good ideas 90% of the time to be honest.

 

Juleka lived life under a layer of unclearness. Not under a porcelain model smile. Not under a premade assumption people grew around her. Unclearness. If people could understand the mumbles that left her lips they wouldn’t get past the believability of her simple answers.

 

”Hey Jules!” Rose who somehow managed to escape Adam waved at her. “You down to hang out later?”

 

”Ah, gonna be busy with a shift..” Juleka mumbled, hiding her soft blush on her face and sadness in her eyes by dipping her head down. What shift? Last time Lila checked Juleka didn’t have a job. But perhaps she did and Lila just didn’t know. It wasn’t something to question. Which was why it worked.

 

”Really? Darn.” Rose said. Juleka didn’t put anymore detail to it, it didn’t seem necessary to Lila noticed. If she was talking to someone more skeptical, Juleka would no doubt try and tell stories to make this ‘job’ seem more real, if it wasn’t.

 

Lila said nothing but Mylene did. “You have a job? What kind?”

 

”A few.” Juleka replied smoothly, eyes flicking to the smaller girl. Her eyes soft but with a calculating glimmer in it. “Just to try and get some weight off of my ma’s shoulders, you know how it is.”

 

It was simple, it answered Mylene’s question and left her satisfied as she returned to work and yet she didn’t answer at all. 

 

Lila lied to make people hear what they wanted to hear and become more attached with her. Adrien lied so people wouldn’t peek inside who he was inside where he was vulnerable. Marinette lied to hide something. And Juleka lied to fit in. But not because she was any particular oddity. But because she was an expert in her craft of deceit.

 

For what? To hide something? To just stay unnoticed? Was it a coping mechanism? Bah, why should she care to unravel that. The point of lies was to let it be in the eyes of the beholder unless it caused harm she felt she could stop. It wasn’t her place.

 

Lila watched as the drama club room bustled with busy kids. Ones filled with lies. Ones filled with the most deepest sincerity. And she saw them for all they were.

 

Not just pieces of interests and hates tied up together into a vessel that were her responsibility to puppet around through mind picking and the winding of her spider’s web, but people whom she couldn’t wait to study and analyze more.

 

Jeez.. Lila mused internally as Adam called her over to help him with the crown she held in her hands. He stood in front of a mirror with glowing pride, staring at his reflection with hope and excitement filled eyes. I’m surrounded with some lovable full of shit folks aren’t I?

 

 

Notes:

The title could be seen as either “analysis of a liar” as in Lila, a liar, is analyzing about stuff, or the analysis of a liar, the people she’s talking about being liars

I just thought that was neat

Lila is interesting to write.

Chapter 47: My Life and Reason

Notes:

Ya’ll see the Guiltrip trailer? Or the episode? (This was posted before the episode) Can’t wait for it to singlehandedly wreck this entire au but, hey, Juleka Content is content.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text



Adam Charment was a performer.

 

He sang. He spoke. He danced. He commanded.

 

He knew he was going to be great. He knew he was going to be the one up on Broadway, for all the world to see and admire. He knew he deserved love. His soul belonged to the music and his body would follow.

 

His mother was his greatest supporter at home, as his father was busy being a trucker. Clapping off beat, nodding along to his musings as he spent all day at home with her. No school he could afford for years until his dad quit and got a different job that could.

 

“Your voice is incredible, Adam.” She spoke with her slight mumble, though her face warm as always. “You’re wonderful at acting.”

 

And Adam would thank her. And work harder to impress her more. To wow her. And he would. And he felt empowered.

 

But it was a lie.

 

Cause years later, Adam learned his mother was deaf since she was seven years old. And she had just been saying those things to make him happy. But didn't she understand?! No she couldn’t have.

 

It crushed him.

 

She couldn’t hear his singing, she could not grasp his passion as his voice shuddered with his character’s pain, she could not fathom how much time and effort he threw himself into to convince her he was anything other than her little boy when he took to the stage-

 

-So what kind of an actor was he if he couldn’t reach his crowd? What kind of actor was he- if all his praise and critique was hollow-

 

Acting camp tasted sourer that year, when he was 13. His heartache drowned everything that he once was able to express; he knew his mother blamed herself, mumbling of apologies in a voice she herself couldn’t hear, but he couldn’t deny the anger he truly felt.

 

But soon the salty dry taste in his mouth, weighing his shoulders down like the world on atlas’s back, was suddenly lifted. Like it was washed out by just the sheer presence of her; Reaching a hand out and speaking- with that peppy gentle tone;

 

“You okay, you looked like you were gonna throw up there.”

 

It was nothing romantic what Rose Lavillant said. Just a small act that pulled the rain clouds in and washed his pain away. His eyes sparkled with her sight. She was everything. She was his reason to sing, to dance, to act. To live. She was his muse. All for those few days.

 

The week ended so quickly, but seeing her pass by him in the halls of their school after so long they had been apart, he realized how much he needed his flower to notice him more. He wanted to reconnect. For happiness to be his. He wanted his undying admiration and gratefulness for her to be recruited. He wanted, he wanted, he hungered.

 

But by her side, he realized she was not alone. He was not alone.

 

”A-Adam there’s some issues with the lights, one of them keeps flickering and I’m concerned that-“

 

”Check in with Max about it” He said quickly.

 

”But-“

 

”Adam! Do you know where Mylene is I need to check in with her on a scene”

 

”Back door. She felt sick.” Adam instructed quickly, adjusting his suit.

 

”Thanks I’ll take Ivan-“

 

”Adam! Adam Adam- so you know I kinda had that flub with the costumes well I kinda panicked but it’s fine and-“

 

”If it’s fine then relax Ms. Dupain-Cheng you’ve done enough, but please sit down though so you don’t pass out on stage and someone get some makeup on her eye bags-“ Adam called out around them.

 

”Yeah.” She said “I’m on it.”

 

Adam stomped his marching for a moment and stared as She passed him with a hurried pace in her step. Her eyes focused and her grip on her brush tight.

 

Juleka Couffaine. Rose’s best friend. That’s all it should’ve been. A girl he could acquire help from, another one to support his performance of love. His dance of praise.

 

But her eyes, her eyes were hungry too. Not for lust. Or some jealousy. But for love, just like his. They smoldered and burned into Rose’s skin, craving a connection he knew he couldn’t lose with his girl. With his flower.

 

Adam could tell this girl, this Juleka, was just as desperate for him, just as longing. He wondered- no. Not for a second did he believe that she could love her more though.

 

Merely a block in his path. A dragon to slay to reach his princess. Adam was hungry. And he could see she was too. Fangs spitting charcoal embers, claws ripping across the floor, red eyes narrowed and lips curled into a snarl-

 

The two shared eye contact, but there was still a little spark behind her tired copper eye. He watched her pass by. Feeling the cold chill of her form follow as she stalked across the wood floor. 

 

He watched them all, beginning line up in two rows, just like he had instructed as the final minutes began to tick tick tick on by. Edging closer and closer to his life and reasoning to live. His crown weighed heavy on his head. And yet his chest was beating like a thunderous drum of war.

 

He knew some of the people here despised him. And he embraced it.

 

That’s right. Keep your eyes all on me. See it as a drive. See it as a sun to glare at. Focus your attention, so you may gaze at my glory.. Adam thought, gripping his sword tightly to his side. Glimmering with only the glow of real metal they had asked to use with special permission, his eyes gazed down at Rose with a soft smile on his face. ..and my life and reason to exist.

 

He looked to Juleka. Thin copper eyes glaring with spite. Don’t you see, Juleka Couffaine? That’s the difference between us.

 

They were both hungry animals. But Adam refused to starve.

 

...

 

Juleka bustled through the changing rooms in a hurry, her headset had been practically glued to her head for the entire time she was backstage; making orders, correcting makeup, reciting lines, but after making her third “last” final sweep of everything, she decided she needed a short time to herself.

 

She was tired. And talking to so many people had been draining.

 

Juleka opened one of the empty rooms she knew her bag was in and closed herself inside. She was completely alone, but she still made the effort of grabbing her phone to pretend to call someone if someone were to walk in.

 

Checking the floor beneath the door she called out to the only other person she knew was inside.

 

”Plagg?” Juleka said.

 

”Neegh.. I’m... here..” Plagg groaned from inside the bag, sticking his head out. Juleka’s face fell a little as she stared at the little guy. His eyes drowsy and looking loopy.

 

”You still feeling bad?” She asked concernedly, scratching the back of his ear to which he nuzzled into.

 

”Ever since Gigantitan.. I feel like my stomach and head is in a washing machine..” Plagg complained.

 

”Can kwami even get sick?” Juleka’s head tilted, Plagg coughed.

 

”Well yeah, occasionally. You remember Princess Fragrance don’t you? With Ladybug’s kwami? Don’t worry about it, I know where we can go to fix me up. Do your little play thing first, I just- aChoo!” Plagg sneezed, it felt like the room shook a little. But perhaps that was just a trick of the mind. Plagg yawned. “I’ll just be sleeping..”

 

Juleka sighed with worry, trying to shake the worry that a literal god could and did get sick ”Right- well-“

 

”Jules? Is that you?”

 

Juleka looked up to see the door opening slowly, before Rose poked her head inside. Looking a little nervous, but still smiling. The goth did a quick examination. Her makeup looked good, that was.. good. Juleka kept her phone to her ear as she glanced away from her.

 

”Sorry, I’ll call you back later, Luka.” Juleka said a little loudly, looking back to her device, before pretending to hang up and stuffing her phone into her bag with Plagg in it. The small cat huffed but said nothing as She turned to Rose with a smile. “Hey stranger.”

 

”Hey,” Rose chuckled softly, sitting on the seat in front of her and slowly taking her hand “How’ve you been? Feels like we haven’t talked in a while.”

 

”What do you mean ‘a while?’ We had that sleepover a few days ago, Silly. And we talked during practice.” Juleka giggled, tweaking Rose’s nose and making her laugh. What a sound that was. And yet Juleka’s smile still fell. “But yeah, I guess so, this play has consumed a lot of our time. But...”

 

Her mind clouded with aching feelings of pining but her heart soared as she stared at Rose. She was beautiful in her dress. Softly blushing and her wide blue eyes sparkling. Juleka’s mind still screamed for Rose to be hers. Like some feral creature. It was almost tempted right now, as they were so close, to just lean in. To cross that boundary.

 

But that would be burned and fueled by her pure selfishness. A knot tied in her chest as she softly traced a thumb over the knuckles of Rose’s hand. Fearful, all the same; of Rose seeing through her lies, her mask, her layer of hiding her ugly feelings. She was out to Rose. She wouldn’t worry about the prospect of disgust for what gender she liked. But that still added to how terrified Juleka was of Rose seeing her heart and not liking what was there.

 

Because the disgust wouldn’t be of gender, it would be because of her. Because Rose wouldn’t want Juleka. The goth felt the lump in her throat grow higher thinking about it. How cowardly of her. She shouldn’t fear the pain she deserved. And yet, she still found herself wincing. Weak. Weak. Weak.

 

Juleka felt her smile strain and the numbness in her body return. She heard the sounds of cheering begin as she listened to the muffled sound of Alya beginning to narrate the beginning of the script at the dark stage.

 

The world will end. Her restless mind cried. And we will end up alone.

 

Her nails dug into her knee with disgust. Am I really that obsessed? She’s one girl. Sure my best friend but. No! There’s no one else who could even begin to like us! We’re disgusting! But I don’t- we don’t deserve anyone’s love, much less Rose’s but we could make her ours regardless- we-

 

“Jules? You okay?” Rose asked, her head tilted. Juleka was dropped back to earth, staring the girl in front of her. 

 

“I.. um..” Juleka started, pulling her hand away. She could tell Rose she loved her now, or she could never ever again. Either way, she’d no doubt regret it for the rest of time. But this had to be her last chance.

 

There was a chance. There was a chance. There was a chance..!

 

But looking into Rose’s precious sapphire like eyes, glimmering with an expecting and worried expression, filled with innocence, and distant grief for a kind man they both knew, she made her decision.

 

A decision she didn’t want. But one for what she hoped was Rose’s happiness. Because more than anything, she wanted Rose to be happy. And somewhere in her heart, she knew Rose wouldn’t be happy with her. That she’d smother her in her possession. That she’d drown her in her own selfish desires.

 

I’ll slow her down. I’ll force her to worry about me. She already didn’t like the best version of me. She likes someone else. Or perhaps that was just her excuse to get the hell away from me. Either way, I’ve got to respect her and her decision. I have to. But I want her. I’ve got to. But she’s supposed to be mine. But she isn’t.

 

Juleka inhaled and gave an awkward thumbs up as she threw the headpiece back on. Numbing her heart down as she focused on the winding road ahead. But I love her. So that’s what I’ll do.

 

”Never better. Let’s get this show rolling.” Juleka smiled.

 

”Woo!” Rose cheered. Yeah, woo.

 

...

 

Juleka started off with her light duty, her first scene wasn’t on for a while and she was with Max and Sabrina on the stands that hung over the audience to make sure the lights that couldn’t be moved were turned on with the right colors at the right time.

 

The stage was blooming with a hazy gold as Alya’s voice carried on. Juleka had missed a little of it but it was fine, she was, of course, busy with the lights. She watched it dim for a moment, in a way that wasn’t on purpose, and her eyes narrowed.

 

She gave it a little thunk to keep it going and there it sprung back to life. That was odd. It wasn’t supposed to do that and she definitely didn’t press anything. 

 

She shared a look with Max and Sabrina who were with her and she shrugged in confusion. Maybe it’s just old. 

 

She looked back up at Ivan standing on the stage, looking as big as possible with his dark cape and steady gaze.

 

”...King Owen was mighty. Strong, Arrogant, but intelligent. Aiming to live forever. However knowing life was so easily lost, so easily to lose time to, the king had a wife. And the wife, had a child.” 

 

Chloe burst onto the stage in a large overly flamboyant dress. When Chloe learnt how goofy and short her role was supposed to be, Juleka remembered that she was initially mad, but seeing everyone laughing, she decided to laugh with them and play up the role as extra and hilarious as possible.

 

OOOWWWWWEEEEEEEEEN!” Chloe screeched, making the crowd chuckle as she stomped across the stage. “THE BABY! IT IS HERE!”

 

Lord heavens.” ‘Owen’ gasped, “Make way!”

 

Juleka chuckled and trailed the light after them off the stage as Sabrina gave her a thumbs up and took over the shadow puppet moment.

 

”King Owen more than anything wanted a heir to continue his reign of the kingdom. To make his blood immortal. But when the child was born. He was mortified to find that whom his wife he birthed was a girl. And with the death of his wife during their child’s birth, for once in his life King Owen wasn’t sure what to entirely do.”

 

”Going good so far..” Juleka muttered to herself, eyeing the stage with a critical and proud look. And yet her heart weighed. Like a prisoner staring at the clock, meal finished as they waited for their execution.

 

“Your daughter is beautiful.” Nathaniel said, draped in robes as he stood next to Ivan. He swapped a lot of roles most of the time, and Marinette had him wear the robes over his knight uniform so switching outfits would be easier. “A beautiful princess she’ll be!”

 

”Yes, but a princess I didn’t want.” Ivan growled, smoldering off into the make believe distance. “My kingdom will not flourish with a woman ruling it. Even one of my own. A king was supposed to take my place.”

 

”I’m sure a worthy suitor will come one day.” Nathaniel reassured. Juleka made a motion to Sabrina and Max and they dimmed the lights onto Ivan, adding a hazy blue as his voice lowered with anger.

 

This world has become dark and cruel. A circle of hell on its own with people around me that I cannot trust.” He declared, swishing his cape around him. “My child, my princess, will not be safe. The concept of love has become futile on its own. If she is to be safe, it will be under this castle’s protection..”

 

Juleka decided it was time, she nodded to Max and climbed down from the lights area and snuck her way back stage. She nodded to some bustling kids, taking off her headset and setting it onto the rack and slipping onto the entrance of the stage, just out of sight to the audience.

 

Waiting, in the wings. She sighed, almost running a hand through her hair but stopping so she wouldn’t ruin the careful braiding it was done in.

 

And so the princess grew, hidden away in the castle’s walls. Her beauty only told in whispers and her kindness echoed just as loud. But were it not for her father’s words, would Princess Dahlia long to leave. Dancing freely with her people and live life with freedom and joy.”

 

Juleka took in a deep breath. Before exhaling heavily.

 

”You ready?” Juleka whispered as she heard the creaks of wood behind her and there Rose stood. Smiling nervously but bouncing on the balls of her feet.

 

“Yep!” Rose nodded, her face dusting a soft pink. “I am. Just a bit nervous but, I’m ready.”

 

”Alright, let’s do this..” Juleka sucked in one last breath. Don’t choke don’t choke don’t choke- Her mind chanted with worry. Before she shouted- “MY LADY! WAIT UP!”

 

Rose rushed onto the stage, petals falling off of her as she danced around and giggled with glee. The claps came from the audience as she entered. Juleka swore she heard Mrs. Lavillant making a loud ‘THATS MY BABY!’ in the crowd but perhaps that was a trick of the mind.

 

”Suitors would come and go. Begging King Owen for his daughter’s hand. And each one would be denied. Seen unworthy by both father and daughter.”

 

‘Handmaiden Olive’ stumbled onto the stage, pretending to heave out of breath as Juleka plopped next to her. Her hair pooled over the side of her shoulder as ‘Dahlia’ just hummed.

 

My lady will you ever not run off?” ‘Olive’ wheezed, “You’re father will kill me this time, he really will, if he learns you got away again.”

 

”Perhaps you must learn to keep up, and would you please call me Dahlia! We’re friends are we not?” ‘Dahlia’ replied softly, plucking one of the fake leaves in Juleka’s hair off. “I just wanted to get some fresh air.”

 

”Well, I hope you’ve enjoyed it.” The handmaiden remarked as they sat on a small bench. So far so good. Juleka thought. Adam is coming on soon.. gotta move the bench when the lights go down..

 

Rose looked out far into the audience, hands palmed in her dress as she did her best to look deep in thought. Juleka was tempted to take her hand like she would if this was normal life. Giving her a squeeze and a smile to assure her she was there to talk but, no, she wouldn’t break the show. This was too important to Rose. And she continued to wait for Rose’s next line.

 

“It’s a beautiful view, isn’t it?”

 

”It is, my lady.” Juleka replied, but she couldn’t help but only look at Rose. A beautiful view indeed though. Her heart both leapt and sunk at the same time somehow. Rose was really beautiful in this light. She was always beautiful of course, but the spotlights gave a radiant glow to the girl.

 

Like a real sunbeam.

 

Juleka bit her tongue at that thought. Squeezing her ring. Juleka flinched as she heard the played audio of loud horse clopping and horns.

 

You hear that?” ‘Olive’ asked.

 

Let’s go look!” ‘Dahlia’ said, jumping up. Juleka faked panic and grabbed her by the arm, pulling her down under the bench to hide as multiple shadows were cast over the wall.

 

N-No! No! We shouldn’t-“ Juleka hissed, the stutter wasn’t on purpose and she internally kicked herself for that. “If they’re guards, they won’t be happy the princess and her hand maiden snuck their way out..”

 

”Oh please.” Rose playfully rolled her eyes as she began to stand up again, it was cute, but Juleka wasn’t allowed to stare softly at it. Both because they were in the middle of the show and- Juleka knew it was rude of her to gawk. ‘Olive’ pulled her back down.

 

“My lady!” ‘Olive’ cried with worry. But ‘Dahlia’ ignored her, pushing through the grass as the handmaiden watched with nervousness and fear, hiding behind the bench. “Oh darn it all, that girl!”

 

The lights dimmed on Juleka’s area to focus on Rose and she grabbed onto the bench, pulling it and herself off of the stage with a few others. Juleka nodded to a few crew members and slid her headphones back on, climbing her way up the ladder back to her fellow lights crew.

 

There were soft muttering sand whispers coming from the headset, orders, calls, but she ignored them for the most part none of them were for her. They needed to nail this so all hands were on deck. After all. It was His entrance scene.

 

Juleka refocused to the scene.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

A ‘fallen’ Rose laid on the stage, taking Adam’s hand as he pulled her up. His eyes shined as the crowd applauded for his princely appearance. He was here now. He was the focus. A nasty feeling crawled through her throat and for a moment the light flickered again.

 

Juleka’s eyes narrowed, opening it a little to check on the insides while the play went on in the background.

 

My name is Prince Edmund of the Daylight Kingdom. Yours is..?”

 

”Dahlia. I’m um-”

 

”You’re the princess.. i-it’s an honor to meet you! You’re.. far more beautiful than they ever could’ve described..”

 

Juleka stared at the wires with concern. It’s a tad risky to look at this right now but I’m worried this’ll suddenly break down.. it seems fine though.. She thought, closing it quietly. She looked up at Sabrina and Max.

 

”Psst, guys-“ Juleka started, waving a hand.

 

”Shh, we gotta do scene 12” Max whispered back. Juleka’s eyes narrowed but she nodded. It’s just a little bit of flickering, it should last till at least the break. 

 

Juleka watched, tired, the many scenes of ‘Olive’ and ‘Edmund’ bonding. Deciding that the King wouldn’t mind Edmund arriving late. And watched with delight to see Rose’s big smile as they preformed a dance together in the kingdom’s town, where much of everyone played at least some role, whether it be to add to the background or even dance. Though, Nathaniel almost ate shit into floor when they did scene 36 where-

 

“Oh Edmund, I don’t think I want to go home just yet. This has been so wonderful.” ‘Dahlia’ said breathily. ‘Edmund’ rose an eyebrow at her before smiling softly, gesturing for ‘Knight 3’, aka Nathaniel, to come over. 

 

“Tell the king that I shall be late.” ‘Edmund’ ordered politely, looking at the growing smile on ‘Dahlia’s face. “That I had to go... ‘sight seeing’.” 

 

‘Dahlia’’s eyes gleamed with joy “Oh Edmund thank you!”

 

”Of course!” 

 

Nathaniel nodded went to run off stage, but someone had randomly dropped a small bandana, causing him to almost fall face first into the ground. Luckily. He didn’t. And they’d all live another day. But it was still funny for the stage crew to quietly laugh it.

 

Still, Juleka’s attention was all on the stage, it was sickening how charming Adam made himself be.

 

”Juleka, you’re again on soon” Sabrina whispered, Juleka blinked, giving a thumbs up and moving to the ladder.

 

”Check that light would you? It’s flickering.” Juleka whispered, Sabrina nodded and Juleka disappeared down onto the ground. She took her headset off and smoothed down her dress, before looking up to see who was beside her.

 

”Hi Juleka!” Adrien waved, adjusting his long black coat. Juleka smiled.

 

”Hey.” She said quietly, fixing her dress and hair a little. She gave a quick look at him as she took her headset off. Good, his makeup looked perfect. “You’re on soon.”

 

”Mhm! I’m nervous” He said. As if his sunshine smile indicated any of that.

 

”You practiced a lot, you’ll be alright.” She reassured. “Go get ‘em, tiger.”

 

Adrien nodded, grinning. He quickly walked off. Juleka inhaled. Juleka exhaled. Right. If only I could take my own advice. She quickly shuffled up into the wings with a few others as she watched Adrien slowly stalk his way on with Ivan.

 

Juleka nodded to the others and trailed after the two boys quickly as the lights remained dark and she lowered down onto her knees, watching Ivan sit onto the fake throne while Adrien kept his head down with his pirate hat. They all shared friendly smiles before the lights turned on and the masks were put on.

 

“You misunderstand me, pirate. I’m telling you to leave before I order my guards to skewer your head at this very moment.” ‘King Owen’ growled intimidatingly as Pierre and Alix stepped onto the stage with swords in their hands. ‘Malachite’ let out a low huff, standing up in the low amber light.

 

“So be it then, king.. you’ll regret this though.. This was a warning.” He growled, voice radiating across the stage in a heavy lingering echo, grabbing the edge of his cape to spin out of there. Juleka stared at him, as she could hear the multiple squeals and cheers in the audience from the fan girls.

 

Juleka watched him stomp off of the stage, it was only his entrance and yet the crowd was excited for just.. him. Juleka wished she had that. But she supposed Panthera technically counted so she kicked herself in the leg for wanting selfishly.

 

”Father who was that?” Rose asked, skittering onto the stage. It was weird for Rose to act like Ivan was her dad. They did laugh about it at a different practice though. Ivan was quite like the dad friend of the class.

 

”No one, child. Where have you been? Have you met, Prince Johnathon?”

 

”Prince Johnathon?”

 

Juleka sort of tuned out, she had a role to play when a certain line was made, but now? She was just standing in the background. She already knew what was going to happen, they’ve rehearsed it multiplied times after all. ‘Princess Dahlia’ acted with worry and hesitance as ‘King Owen’ declared she’d marry a character Kim played, as he gave his cockiest smirk in his corner. He was also ‘Prince Edmund’’s cooler brother.

 

Lila sure liked her tropes. Juleka vaguely remembers Lila saying it was because she watched so many movies as a kid to fill her loneliness of not having friends, which was, well, depressing.

 

“My dear princess, it doesn’t matter who you love. As long as you keep smiling, and continue your beck on call my name, I shall always b-be with you- ‘Olive’ said comfortingly as she held the distressed ‘Princess Dahlia’’s hands. Alone on the stage once more, as Ivan left in a pretend huff. The stutter was not intentional, and she hoped no one would notice. She internally kicked herself for it.

 

But Olive, my love for Prince Edmund- ‘“

 

I shall protect that secret till my dying breath, my lady. It’s you who matters. No I.”

 

”Olive..” ‘Dahlia’ weakly said, Juleka took a moment longer than necessary to tuck a loose strand of hair behind Rose’s ear, her thumb tracing over Rose’s cheek, but realizing her mistake by instinct, Juleka pulled away and returned to ‘Olive’. Adam would probably scold her on this.

 

“It’ll all be alright, you should talk to him.” ‘Olive’ encouraged softly, but Juleka found herself internally scrambling No no no, don’t talk to him. As if her own jealousy had shown itself through.

 

Could she not just suck it up for one goddamn play? Her mind berated herself as she went on autopilot mode for the rest of the scene and soon she left the stage, letting the rest play out. She was not needed for the scene. Nor the next. So she didn’t exist.

 

After shenanigans between Prince Edmund and Prince Johnathon fighting over Dahlia, eventually the riot scene happened. And Juleka and her (flick flick flickering why is it flickering) stage light covered the stage in red as ‘Dahlia’ ran through her burning kingdom.

 

The music blasted at it’s fullest shrilling volume, Dahlia panting for breath as she shoved her way into the throne room, only to stare at her fallen father in horror. Covered in blood. And his crown broken. She was too late, as the audience had seen. As moments earlier they watched ‘Malachite’ run a sword through the king. 

 

“Father! No! Please wake up!” The princess cried. Juleka adjusted her light into white, holding it on Rose as she pretended to grieve. Gripping the moment, tightening it for the audience to process, before Rose spoke again with her horrified- “But who could’ve done this!?”

 

Juleka found herself smiling a bit with the others as Adrien’s cackle went across the stage, another cheer of fan girls swept across the crowd which made the light crew giggle with each other even more.

 

“IT WAS I!”

 

”W-Who?!”

 

”HAHA! YOU MAY KNOW ME AS THE SHADOW OF THE SEAS! THE DREADED ONE OF THE WATERS! BUT YOU SHALL KNOW ME AS MALACHITE! THE PIRATE KING!” Adrien roared, the music blasting behind him as the light crew focused their lights onto him.

 

Juleka grinned wildly. Attah booooy fuck ‘em up.

 

“You cruel man! How dare you do this to all of these innocent people, how dare you do this to my father!? What do you want!?” ‘Princess Dahlia’ exclaimed, heartbroken. Adrien’s face split with a sinister grin.

 

I’m here.. for you, my dear..” He purred darkly, slowly trailing his way towards her.

 

“M-Me..?” ‘Dahlia’ asked, eyes widening.

 

’King Malachite’ cackled “Well-“

 

”..Of bloody course it is Rose you!-“ Someone definitely not Anarka in the audience started.

 

”Shh!” Everyone in the theatre promptly hushed her. Juleka face palmed a little.

 

Adrien and Rose tried to hide their snickers on stage, noses wrinkling as they suppressed the urges to laugh, before continuing with the script.

 

”W-Well- of course, Princess.” Adrien coughed, trying to steady himself back in character “What’s more precious than kingdom’s valued treasure but the prize jewel of the kingdom; The princess? The one rumored to be the most beautiful in all of the seas.?”


”Dahlia! Dahlia! We must get out of here- Dahlia!”

 

‘Edmund’ returned on stage, looking horrified as he knelt next to ‘Dahlia’ to see the king, dead. 

 

”What happened..” He said in a horrified whisper.

 

‘Princess Dahlia’ sniffled with tears as he pointed to the smug Adrien ”This man h-he.. he said he did it.. and that he.. wants me?”

 

‘Edmund’ grew angry and the light crew nodded to eachother, brightening the glow on the fake fire they had as he unsheathed his sword. Made of a real blade. He and Adrien practiced long and hard on this scene. Desperate to make it believable, stakes filled, but also safe.

 

There was not a move one knew that the other didn’t, not a mis step made on purpose, not a close call unintentional. It was perfection. And the two boys knew it.

 

“You won’t lay a finger on her..!” Edmund shouted, his cape flapping in the wind as he unsheathed his own saber “Dahlia, my love-” That panged somewhere in Juleka’s chest, making a nasty twist. “-You must run! I’ll hold him off!”

 

”But!”

 

”Go! I will find you, wait for me.” ‘Edmund’ promised, pressing a kiss to Rose’s knuckles. Juleka’s eyes thinned as her nails scraped into the spotlight.

 

“Olive!” Rose shouted, before she ran off stage and Adrien just tsked.

 

”I’ll find her once I’m done killing you.” ‘King Malachite’ snarled, charging forward with a yell as he slashed down on Edmund who dodged backwards, swinging just a little too late as Adrien pulled his sword from the ground and doing another swing.

 

”I’m here Princess!” ‘Johnathan’ shouted, charging onto the stage making the audience laugh as the two boys clashed against each other.

 

Let it be known! The girl is mine! A fake Royal like you doesn’t deserve such a prized jewel! I- the Pirate king- do however! And I will be taking my just rewards!” ‘Malachite’ cackled, swinging over Adam’s head.

 

“I’ll stop you!” ‘Prince Edmund’ shouted quickly, parrying another hit. My love is powerful enough to challenge anyone who opposes me!”

 

‘Malachite’ just grinned “ Perhaps you should not have fought against me then, naive one.”

 

The audience gasped as Adrien stepped backwards and ‘lunged’ the sword into Adam’s side. ‘Edmund’ let out a cry of agony as he crumpled to his knees. Juleka focused the lights down onto them in a dark, violent, red shade. 

 

”Ohhhhhhh screewwww that-“ Kim’s character ran off the stage making the audience chuckle a bit.

 

‘Edmund’ growled with pain, clutching the wound on his side “You’re a greedy monster.. I will stop.. I will stop you..”

 

“Your understanding of me, can be compared to merely nothing. I am the anomaly that’ll rock the world.”  ‘Malachite’ said haughtily, circling around the prince with a smirk. Adrien had a really good smug face Juleka learned. “Once I’m done with this kingdom, making Princess Dahlia my bride, perhaps I shall raid yours as well.. though I doubt they’d care that the Bastard prince was killed.”

 

There were a few whistles and gasps in the audience as they waited Adam’s answer.

 

T-Though, my heart aches more than the wound in my side.. ‘Edmund’ choked, looking up at ‘Malachite’ with a seething glare. ”Let it be known, wench, evil one, ripper of the seas and stealer of the innocents souls, that my heart will not by stalled- to reclaim my love, and the honor of my kingdom! And I will count on that promise! Don’t you forget!”

 

Adrien just laughed maliciously, “You’ll die here, along with the rest of them.”

 

Juleka took her headset off quickly, waving at the others before skirting back down the ladder for what she knew was going to be the last part. She had to hurry now. She had little time.

 

Juleka ran into the changing rooms, switching her normal dress to a tattered version, and stuffing a particular bag into her dress’s front. Eyeing Plagg in her bag, she gave him a little scratch on the head before heading out again where she saw Rose, getting her makeup touched up again.

 

And Juleka almost made her way to Rose. Almost.

 

Because something stopped her. And it was not Adam. You’d argue ‘well obviously he was on stage’ but even then, his mere presence that he was here could be enough.

 

But it was not his presence, it was not his booming voice echoing across the stage and through the back. She found it to be herself. And she felt already more ashamed than she felt usually. Just.. staring at her. It was painful. She couldn’t meet Rose’s eyes. It felt too bright to bear.

 

So instead she just waited, waited waited waited, she waited in the wings.

 

Rose made her way towards her, and Juleka gave her just the smallest smile. She wouldn’t say anything unless Rose wanted her too. She couldn’t even if she tried, actually.

 

”Jules?”

 

Juleka just smiled “We practiced this, no worries, let’s do our best.”

 

Rose nodded, her face scrunching up a little in a weird way. Juleka couldn’t tell why she was looking like that. Was something wrong? Never mind.

 

Many of their classmates passed them as they clashed around in a violent battle scene between pirates and knights. Alix and Kim being mostly the main focus as they were the most physically fit of the class and were able to throw each other around and do some wild stunts, ending with them both dying on the floor dramatically which made the crowd clap.

 

Juleka nodded to Rose as it ended, walking around the back to go to the opposite side of the wings as the lights dimmed. When it brightened again, they both stumbled on.

 

”My Lady!” ‘Olive’ coughed, running towards Rose and sweeping her up in a desperate hug. Juleka liked hugs. This was nice. But she had little time to melt in it as she hurried through her lines. “Oh thank goodness you’re alright.”

 

”Olive, m-my father he..” ‘Dahlia’ choked up.

 

Juleka feigned shock ”The king..? Oh no..”

 

”We must run, The Pirate King- Malachite- he’s after me!” ‘Dahlia’ shouted frantically. ‘Olive’ grimaced, before nodding.

 

“Right,” She said let’s get you safe..”

 

”WHERE IS SHE!?” Adrien shouted off stage, Rose hugged Juleka tightly, and the goth held her protectively. As if there was an actual danger. ‘Olive’ turned to her princess, face filling with realization.

 

Juleka grabbed her by the shoulders, “You must run, princess. I’ll cover for you.”

 

“What!?” Rose cried, this is the part where they started to giggle because of how dramatic it was and how they just couldn’t take it seriously. But this time, they did. “N-No no no! They’ll hurt you!”

 

“My dear princess, it doesn’t matter what happens to me. I shall always be by your side.” She said softly. And even if it was a script.. Juleka meant it. “Even if I’m not truly there.. just let me help you escape..”

 

‘Olive’s’ eyes welled with fake tears, an ability Adam taught her on the fifth day as Rose gripped tightly to Juleka’s arm.

 

“B-But, Olive! If they find out they’ll surely take it on you!” She cried. Juleka sucked in a breath, her fake frown falling into a real one as her eyes softened with sadness. 

 

Then I shall aid you till my dying breath, my lady, that was and will always be my job. It’s you who matters. Not I.”  Juleka rasped, squeezing Rose’s hand as she faked a long wince. “Now go. You’ll be alright.”

 

Rose’s head hung beneath her shoulders and Juleka felt her heart stutter on its own as Rose let go of her hand. It felt like the warmth of her entire body left her as Rose’s finger tips left her own. Juleka faked a smile as Rose ran off the stage. Well. This is my moment. My death.

 

Juleka let out a weak laugh to hide the sob that was crawling up her throat. She heard the low scraping of Adrien’s sword against the wooden planks and she sucked up her inner sadness.

 

S-shit. Why it coming out now? Why did she find tears stinging at her eyes as fake blood dripped through her dress. A dress that had multiple extras because Marinette get nervous. Juleka sighed, trying to suck them up.

 

And like that.. my role has been complete.. Juleka thought bleakly as ‘King Malachite’ strode his way in behind her. Adrien told her he didn’t like this scene. He didn’t like a lot. But she still helped him enjoy being the ‘bad boy’ in something for once.

 

Which way did the princess go?” He ordered gruffly. Well, as gruffly as Adrien Babyface Agreste could manage.

 

”I’ll never tell you.” ‘Olive’ snarled, looking up at him as her hair spilt down her shoulders, wild. Ragged. “You will be stopped.. you’ll-“

 

”-get what I want in the end.” Adrien cut her off, just as they planned, though he had a weird furrow in his brows as he stared at her. Adrien slowly unsheathed his sword, making a show out of making it glint in the light. “Die.”

 

The lights flicked red as he ‘slashed’ across her, and she let out a choke, a loud squirt being heard as Adrien cut through the bag of fake blood she pulled out of her dress- before she let herself collapse on the ground. Covered with red that seeped into her dress. The audience let out a soft gasp.

 

Someone in the crowd who Juleka vaguely recognized as her mom shouted; ”Goddamn!”

 

They were hushed. Again.

 

Juleka looked off to the side, away from the audience. So she could keep her eyes open but still have ‘Olive’ remain dead. She could hear the soft stepping of Rose approach and she closed her eyes, stilling her breathing as she saw the lights return to white.

 

”OLIVE NO!” ‘Dahlia’ cried, stumbling back onto the stage. Juleka winked at Rose as she skidded next to her, holding her head in her lap. Rose suppressed a little smile before returning to act. “No no no.. my friend..”

 

Rose’s lap is comfortable. I kinda feel safe. Juleka thought before internally kicking herself. No don’t think about that. Stop it you gay idiot oh my god. Could you just- not for five minutes. She hated this. But still, this was nice.

 

”Dahlia?”

 

”Edmund!”

 

Annnd she was laying in the floor again. Right. Thanks Adam.

 

“We’ve got to get out of here, I barely escaped Malachite. We must go.” Adam said, Juleka peeked an eye open to stare at Adam as he held Rose in his arms. A nasty feeling in her gut twisting in her stomach that made her nails dig into the wood beneath her.

 

The light dimmed as they ran off the stage and Juleka took the opportunity to sneak off, helping a few of the crew to take off props and cleaning up the fake blood. Her eyes narrowed as it stained across her hands before continuing on.

 

Juleka grabbed her headset, again. Jeez she’s been doing this a lot. I want to go home. Her mind complained. Why are we here. We will not be remembered. She sighed.  Tell me something new, cynical me.

 

She tiredly made her way back up the ladder. Up. Up. Up. Out of sight. Out of sight. Out of sight. Sabrina and Max, her only company up on the light stands, gave her happy looks. Thumbs ups. She gave one back. But her smile fell when the light flickered again.

 

Damn. Seriously- What’s with that? She wondered, messing with it as Sabrina watched with concern.

 

”Malachite!”  ‘Dahlia’ hissed as the pirate encountered them again on stage, a small dagger in her hand. “You’ll pay for what you’ve done!”

 

”What? I’m just getting what I deserve.. now play nice, princess. Or your princey boy gets it.” Adrien growled, holding his sword to ‘Edmund’’s throat.

 

”Dahlia no!”

 

’Dahlia’ sniffled, before nodding. She dropped the knife and Adrien, making steady trusting eye contact with Adam, threw him across the stage. Adam did a professional dive roll and let out a hiss of pain as Rose ran to his side again.

 

“Oh Edmund..”

 

”Dahlia.. you.. you mustn’t..!” ‘Edmund’ hissed with horror, holding Rose’s face too tenderly for Juleka’s taste. 

 

”Tch, go ahead and say your goodbyes..” ‘Malachite’ cackled, walking off. “I know you’ll come with me..”

 

‘Dahlia’ hung her head between her shoulders, stroking Adam’s cheek. Juleka’s eyes thinned. She never saw this scene actually rehearsed. But She didn’t like this scene. She knew what this scene was.

 

“I know you’ll save me..” Dahlia said, putting her hand on his wound. “I trust you to.”

 

”Dahlia..”

 

Juleka’s eyes narrowed. She read these lines over and over, over and over. She read the beta versions, the scraps and big ideas of Lila’s notes. She’s watched Rose’s musings about it.. and yet..

 

”..For your love to me is not fragile, as is my love to you. I would marry you yesterday, today, and every tomorrow coming forth, just to see your smile, and feel your embrace.” ‘Dahlia’ said softly, holding ‘Edmund’s hand tightly “All in hopes that our next sunrise, shall be the one where our hands forever will be intertwined. Forever and always, until the stars blink out.”

 

Juleka felt a string in her heart snap like a broken guitar. But she let nothing slide by her facial expression as she continued to keep the lights on the two. This was it. Then she could go for a quick cry in the changing rooms where no one could see her and she could wipe her tears away and continue like normal, continue like normal, continue like normal. Be normal be normal be normal. 

 

She kept the lights steady. She had to keep them steady. She had to watch this happen.

 

Juleka knew who Rose was. She knew her tastes, she knew that she didn’t like Panthera, and she knew Adam would be good for her. She knew, and yet she hated it despite the logic.

 

How selfish can I get.. She thought with shame as the lights continued to make a worrying puttering sound. And yet..

 

But before Adam and Rose could kiss. Before their lips could touch. Before they could shake Juleka’s world and crushing every part of fleeting composure by just the sight. Before Juleka would try to runaway. Before Juleka could stamp down on the inevitability of a future wedding between the two, and a toast, and a long bottle of wine she’d drink alone in a hotel room-

 

-Thats when the stage light she held on the two, flickering through the entire show, blinked off.

 

 

Notes:

Uh oh

*blasts duel of fates*

For the people who haven’t enjoyed Adam, I hope you still enjoyed this arc, and I do apologize for keeping it going for so long, and I hope you continue to read and are excited for what’s next to come. Original characters aren’t really my thing either rip

Have some more official art! https://justanotherpersonsuniverse.tumblr.com/post/650208334839955456/brought-to-you-by-the-drama-and-art-club-along

Chapter 48: Prince Shining

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

There was no kiss, apparently. Even when the two kids were inches apart and they had no reason not to, Rose said they might as well not since the audience couldn’t see it. Juleka couldn’t even find it in herself to be happy about that, because she was so terrified.

 

It was only natural for chaos to be the first thing that would happen after the curtains closed. Closely followed by anger.

 

“What in the literal hell, Couffaine!?”

 

”I’m sorry! I’m so so sorry!” Juleka cried, her voice shaking “It was a mistake! It wasn’t on purpose I swear I-“

 

Adam held her by the collar of her dress, eyes burning with disbelief and rage “You ruined it! You ruined everything!”

 

”I didn’t mean to, I- it just wouldn’t turn on!” Juleka shouted, almost about to sob as her throat felt like it was closing. I’M SORRY I’M SORRY I’M SORRY I’M-

 

Sabrina ran beside her, putting a hand between them in some attempt to keep things from escalating. But she was scared. No. Terrified. Just like anyone there who could feel the rage coming off of the drama club leader. Her eyes were wide and Juleka could see the sweat rolling down her face.

 

”J-Juleka’s telling the truth, Adam! I was with her! So was Max! No matter how much we tried to turn it on, it just wouldn’t!” Sabrina shouted, though it didn’t hide the tremble in her voice “Even with Max’s help, it just, it was just dead! We tried to tell you, it was flickering before the entire show-“

 

Juleka felt like she was going to vomit, hand clasped over her mouth as Adam let go of her to argue with Sabrina. Juleka sunk to the floor. It was loud. Too loud. She couldn’t focus on anything. Just her screaming mind. She gripped her arms tightly as she stared at the ground. It was like a white noise entirely enveloped her.

 

Where was Plagg? She needed Plagg- she needed to get out of here- Rose- where was Rose- was Rose angry with her? Of course she was angry with her, everyone was angry at her. But Rose hated her now for sure. They all hated her. She ruined the entire show. Everyone’s hard work. Her fault. The city was troubled by villain’s because of her, if she had helped Ladybug capture Hawkmoth sooner everything would be better. Her fault. She wanted to just disappear. She’s just hurt more people what-

 

”-Out of my way I can’t believe you, Couffaine-“ Adam growled, shoving Sabrina out of his way before someone else stepped between Juleka and him. Their eyes widened.

 

”Adam, stop!” Rose shouted, bluebell eyes wide with confusion and a hint of anger “What’s gotten into you!?”

 

Immediately Adam looked panicked, “I- what do you mean?”

 

”You shouldn’t be yelling at Juleka, or Sabrina, or literally any of us for that matter, for a little mistake! It’s okay! The show is fine!” Rose said, as if she was trying to soothe a wild animal. And she basically was. 

 

”Fine? FINE? Your ‘friend’ just ruined everything!” Adam snapped, rage returning at the moment he remembered the goth’s existence. Rose looked at Juleka for a moment and Juleka shrunk in on herself, but the look that glazed over Rose’s eyes weren’t out of hate, it was confusion. Rose glanced between the two.

 

”Juleka? What do you mean? She just said it wasn’t on purpose.” Rose said, taking Juleka’s hand. Juleka’s eyes widened as she stared at Rose’s fingers intertwining with hers, but her stomach dropped as she saw the heat return in Adam’s gaze.

 

”Right, that’s what she’s trying to make you think! I know it was out of jealousy..” Adam growled, stalking towards Juleka who looked up at him weakly.

 

”It..” Before Juleka could answer Rose cut in again.

 

”Jealousy? No! No way.” Rose said, shaking her head “Sabrina and Max said; The lightbulb must’ve just died, we can go fix it now with the time we’ve got during break and continue the show as normal! I don’t get what Juleka would be jealous about. Unless-“ Rose looked to her and Juleka paled “Juleka.. did you...”

 

Juleka’s throat dried as panic began to build in her chest. She couldn’t move. She felt terrified. Ashamed. She-

 

”...want a bigger role?” Rose asked. Juleka blinked, before letting out a weak nervous laugh. Her voice didn’t feel like her own as she fought to keep a smile on her face. To be normal. To be normal. To keep her eyes down so she wouldn’t meet any gazes. So she could breath correctly. She didn’t do anything wrong. She swore. she didn’t, and yet she felt like there was still a hangman’s knot around her neck.

 

”A-Ahaha,. N-No. I- like you said- the light just kinda died.. we can go fix it I’m s-sure there are spares, come on light crew lets go-“ Juleka said quickly, wobbling to her feet as she tried to stumble away. Maybe to a bathroom. Maybe outside. Maybe-

 

“You’re lying, Couffaine, I goddamn know you are. There’s no way you didn’t messed up the lights.” Adam barked. Juleka cringed as she stopped in her tracks, sweating bullets. Not because she felt caught but because she genuinely couldn’t say anything else to prove him wrong and clearly witnesses meant nothing.

 

”Sabrina and Max were literally there, Adam, the hell do you want from Juleka?” Lila asked, putting a hand on his shoulder as Rose looked towards Juleka again.

 

”Jules? Are you okay?” Rose whispered but Juleka could barely hear her over the throbbing in her mind and pounding in her chest. He’s gonna turn everyone against me. He’s gonna do it. He’s convincing. He’s able to. I’m never gonna be able to show my face again they’ll think I’m some traitor sabotager.

 

”She’s jealous! It was on purpose I know it!” Adam snarled 

 

”Jealous of what? Literally what?!” Lila threw her hands in the air

 

”Me and Max were literally there!” Sabrina yelled

 

”I trust Sabrina on this, Charment. You’re literally arguing against two witnesses, you’re ridiculous, utterly ridiculous.” Chloe chuffed

 

”This isn’t Legally Blonde, Bourgeois.” Adam shot back.

 

”Everyone calm down!” Marinette shouted above everyone. 


Juleka wanted to go home. Maybe if she could sneak away like she always could where she disappeared like a coward, she could grab Plagg and leave- and-

 

“Don’t even think about walking away, Couffaine!” Adam shouted, grabbing Juleka’s shoulder making Juleka flinch. Before she could act though, Rose did for her, shoving Adam out of the way as her face twisted with anger.

 

”Don’t touch her!” Rose shot back. “Seriously what’s with you and this, this, vendetta?”

 

“It’s because-“ Adam’s voice raised and Juleka felt her blood freeze.

 

”DON’T SAY A WORD!” Juleka yelled. The room silenced. Juleka felt her face fall as the entire show crew turned to look at her. Her throat dried and her eyes dropped to the ground.

 

”..I say that speaks for itself!” Adam said smugly before yelping as Rose smacked him on the shoulder with a withering glare.

 

”Did you blackmail her with something? No wonder you’ve stuffed her with so many jobs, you’ve been forcing her to do something haven't you? What in the actual fuck have you been doing to my best friend, Adam?” Rose shouted, Adam’s face dropping. “You bully!”

 

”It was for.. you..” Adam said softly. “C-cause, I like you.”

 

Rose just stared at him disbelief. Juleka held her hand to her chest, her heart pounding through it as her eyes thinned with terror. She could practically hear the imaginary music swelling-

 

”..Unbelievable.” Rose shook her head, rubbing the space between her eyes. “I can’t believe you. You gave me the role of the princess, didn’t you? Just cause you like me? You’ve treated me differently because you liked me, you hurt people cause you liked me. Looking back on things now, that adds up. How dare you.”

 

Juleka’s jaw dropped a little. But she couldn’t feel rejoiced in any way that Adam’s heart had been ripped open. Just.. saddened even more. Feeling guilty, even more.

 

There was no sound in the back room of the theatre. Just. Silence. Adam’s eyes were wide with an expression that Juleka, for once, couldn’t read. Before Adrien clapped awkwardly, inhaling as he spoke. 

 

“We only have so much time before we get back on stage let’s just fix the light and finish the show, okay?” Adrien said, pushing himself into the middle of the large group, “We shouldn’t argue about this”

 

”I agree,” Marinette nodded, turning to the group of students “The production will be fine, everyone! Max? Could you help fix the lights with the time we have?”

 

”Well with about six minutes and five, four, three two.. with five minutes to find any spares and fix it with anything we find, I should be able to before the curtain rises again.” Max said thoughtfully. Juleka couldn’t help but blame herself for everything.

 

She knew Adam did too, while he was trying to be comforted a little by confused Lila before he shoved the script writer away, and began to stomp away from the edge of Juleka’s vision.

 

It felt like a large latch inside her chest had been ripped open. Dripping and staining her body with blood.

 

She couldn’t handle any of this. Juleka felt her voice trapped at the back of her throat as Max put a hand on her shoulder and helped her up. Sabrina’s teal eyes were wide with concern but Juleka didn’t have anything to say.

 

She just silently nodded to the two. Unsaid words exchanged as Juleka stumbled after the rest of the lights crew to storage. Juleka’s back to Rose, whom she couldn’t see the expression of. Expecting only the worst.

 

...

 

”That stupid Juleka- always ruining everything! Always getting in the way she just- can’t she not?” Adam cursed to himself as he barged into his changing room. The moment he slammed the door though, he felt his knees beneath him shake and give.

 

He fell to the floor in despair as Rose’s words hit him like a truck.

 

”..Unbelievable.” Rose shook her head, rubbing the space between her eyes. “I can’t believe you. You gave me the role of the princess, didn’t you? Just cause you like me? You’ve treated me differently because you liked me, you hurt people cause you liked me. Looking back on things now, that adds up. How dare you.”

 

Every drop of what he tricked himself to be pride and confidence was flushed out of him, and he felt tears brim his eyes as his head fell between his shoulders. His crown fall off his head. He let out a hiccuping cry as he grabbed it, holding it close to his chest.

 

Damn it.. He wondered, hands shaking Why can’t I do anything right..!?

 

He was so indulged in his despair though, that he didn’t notice the crown engulfed in black, and the fluttering of butterfly wings. Adam inhaled as he felt the cold tendrils of another’s will wrap around his throat and mind.

 

“Shit..” Adam realized, as he felt his chest hollow.

 

”Prince Shining.. I am Hawkmoth.. I’m giving you the power to take back the happy ending you were promised, and get rid of anything in your way..” A voice hissed through his mind, echoing through every inch of his being. Alluring. Promising. Overwhelming. “All I ask for in return, are Ladybug and Panthera Noire’s miraculous..”

 

The drama club president let out a loose, weak, laugh. Gulping as he felt a joy and power overtake him as he slid his crown back onto his head.

 

”It’s time for my denouement! They’ll all see who the best is..!” He grinned, though his voice was not his own. It was corrupted, it was vile, it was evil. And maybe Adam had one clear thought before being overtaken by darkness. Maybe of regret and shame. But the person he was before was wiped clean.

 

And there a prince stood in his place.

 

...

 

Juleka didn’t get a chance to run into the dressing room. She had to help with the light she didn’t break. Unless I did actually break it. I wouldn’t be surprised. And they had a minute or two to spare before the curtain rose again.

 

It doesn’t even fucking matter, they’ll kiss again at the end of the show when Dahlia gets put to sleep by Malachite and needs to waken up by ‘true love’s kiss’. But he’s just gotta make such a big deal out of it.. Juleka’s heart snarled with hate. He deserves every bit of suffering.. perhaps this time we’ll break it on purpose.. No- I- what the hell why would I even think that, what?

 

Juleka’s mind was clouded with twisting and nasty feelings as they came down the ladder and entered back with the crew. I don’t want to be alone. Her heart cried I don’t want to be alone!

 

We don’t get a choice there. She argued back internally. Juleka paused for a moment as she saw Rose and Adrien walk by them. Juleka kept her eyes down so Rose wouldn’t make eye contact with her. And maybe there was a moment where she could see Rose pause too. Maybe hoping to say something, but Juleka said nothing. She couldn’t if she tried.

 

”Good luck you two!” Sabrina said quietly

 

”Oh- Thanks guys!” Rose whispered back, walking off with Adrien.

 

”You guys too!”

 

Juleka sighed. She couldn’t imagine how mad Rose probably was at her. I failed her. I’m terrible.. I never deserved her anyways..

 

But we can still have her..! Her mind shouted. We can make her ours! Like what? Like- like she’s a thing we can own? No. None of that. She’s allowed to chose. I have no power over that. But-

 

Stop arguing with yourself idiot. Juleka mentally kicked herself This isn’t some Jeckle and Hyde Confrontation scene shit. Ugh I hate how I know that. Despite people’s assumption, Juleka didn’t actually like musicals. Like, Rose made her watch Hamilton the other night? She conked out by them getting drunk she just, she just couldn’t get into it.

 

Wait where was she again? Oh yeah. She was depressed, and sitting in the back. That’s not new. She was so tired. And couldn’t wait for this to be over, even thought they had like, five more of these fucking shows.

 

“Adam? What’s with that new outfit?” Lila said, looking up in confusion as her voice finally reached Juleka’s ear.

 

”New outfit? Thats not the outfit- that’s not-“ Marinette sputtered before her face paled “Oh- oh no-“

 

”What’s wrong everyone?” The figure drawled, his crown now more like a war mask as it’s gold circled around his cheeks before multiple branch like horns rose above his scalp. His once already luxurious red cape had a tattered end now, and where it met his shoulders, a fluffy like hide and multiple spikes and armor was set.

 

His eyes looked mad. As the many vine like protrusions going through his chest and across one of his arms snapped and writhed at them. Juleka gripped her ring tighter and tighter with fear. Oh no. OH GOD NO..!

 

”ADAM YOU BASTARD!” Lila growled “THE FUCK IS WITH THIS SHIT?”

 

”SOMEONE CALL LADYBUG!” Alya cried. Juleka could see the panic on Marinette’s face across the room and she could no doubt feel her own. Lila let out a scream suddenly and they turned to see the girl that was suddenly suspended mid air by the winding vines that held her by her neck.

 

DAGH! LET ME GO!” Lila exclaimed.

 

“So a minor complication happened.. you’re right, forgive my temper everyone. I should’ve known, that this is so much better.” He purred deeply. Dark red eyes glinting with the hunger he had to suppress from everyone. “No need to deal with the heroes. All I want is the show to have a wonderful ending the audience can enjoy.”

 

Juleka stumbled as she backed up with a few others, her hand gripping tightly to her chest as her heart pounded uncontrollably.

 

Prince Shining smiled at them “After all.. the show must go on. And I’m not missing out on my end kiss..”

 

Juleka felt a chill go down her spine as her eyes thinned. This is my fault. This is mY FAULT!

 

”RUN!” Kim shouted, beginning to stumble backwards “SOMEONE- AGH-!”

 

”You won’t cooperate? Tch, that’s fine, I can run this show on my own..” Prince Shining snarled as Kim was snatched up into another tangled mess of vines and roses. Juleka stepped backwards with the crowd of terrified students and actors. “After all, if I want something down right, I shouldn’t trust little petty brats with the lights..”

 

Ouch.

 

Juleka burst into a run, along with some other screaming crew members, as she narrowly dodged some reaching vines. She  skidded around a corner and ran towards one of the dressing rooms, where Plagg was.

 

Juleka’s heart dropped as she saw a group, with Marinette in it, get yoinked as they reached a fire exit door, only to see it entangled in bramble and were promptly snatched as well.

 

Juleka broke her way inside and locked the door shut, nearly tripping on one of the extra swords Adrien had left. Sweat rolling down her face as her chest heaved with fear.

 

”FUCK!” She screamed, digging her claws in her hair “JUST- UGH! FUCKIN HELL!”

 

”W-wha happened kitten...?” Plagg said groggily, sticking a head out of the bag. Her phone’s light shining out of it “I just got to the scene where Catra pressed the switch and then suddenly the internet cut off and..”

 

”No time, Plagg. You can watch it later!” Juleka said, grabbing her phone before snarling with rage “Shit! No bars! Son of- he probably broke the fucking- UGH!”

 

”Calm down kitten..” Plagg croaked, letting out a cough “What’s going on?”

 

”I said no time!” Juleka hissed “Plagg! Claws Out!”

 

There was a beat. And Juleka blinked as she felt no magic rush over her. No strength flowing through her veins. And no mask shining over her still copper eyes.

 

”..What?” She said in confusion, staring at her hands. My ring isn’t working? God dang it is this some kind of ‘you are not’ worthy shit going on? FUCK! I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THIS!

 

“I’m sick kitten..” Plagg coughed, “I need to be taken to a healer.. I can’t transform like this..”

 

“But.. but.. the exit doors are locked! I can’t get out of here!” Juleka cried, holding him in her palms, eyes desperate for answers. For solutions.

 

“Then we’re gonna have to miss this akuma.. and go heal me- aCHOO! Later..” Plagg said, rolling around a little as he nuzzled into her finger. “Ladybug can handle it..”

 

“But..” Adam’s face flashed over her eyes and the idea of Rose’s terrified expression hit her. He’ll go after her. Juleka realized with horror. “But I can’t not do anything! I gotta do something!”

 

“Well, kitten. You’re not giving me many options here. What else can we do?” Plagg drawled. Juleka paled. What else can I do? I’m powerless. I’ve got no chance fighting a literal akuma unless..

 

No what am I thinking. She slapped a hand to her forehead. Fighting is a death wish. I can’t get in the way. Marinette is here, she’ll find a way to transform.

 

She pulled knees in, her eyes burning into the ground with shame- before hearing the distant applause of an audience. Adrien and Rose. She realized. They’re on stage. Shit-

 

She shoved open the door, knocking over a stand with some of Marinette’s extra copies of the costumes to see the back rooms of the theatre covered in writhing vines. Her eyes darted around to see them stretched about, controlling the stage lights, the curtains, the audio.

 

Adam wanted nothing but the perfect play, he wanted to become theatre, and he had. He would destroy the whole world for the perfect story. So what else can I do? She thought. But..

 

...

 

They were met with applause as the lights turned on. 

 

Adrien dragged Rose across the stage and throwing his arm forward, Rose threw herself on stage to skid across the ground. The lights followed her. Good, seemed like everyone finally got their selves together. Adrien was getting worried and by god did Rose look mad when they were reading themselves.

 

His eyes trailed a little to the audience to gage their reactions, and they seemed compelled enough. That was good! Right, his lines. Right-

 

Are you comfortable princess?” He purred threateningly. Adrien didn’t like this scene. He felt mean to Rose, even when she’d get up afterwards with her big smile on her face again and would give him a hug reassuring she was okay and it was just acting. But still! She was a nice friend! “Welcome to your new, home.”

 

”You’ll never get away with this..” ‘Dahlia’ cried. “Edmund will save me!”

 

Not for a few scenes. Adrien thought. He still had to recover from his wounds and then get the Magical Sword of the Lion’s Thunder and better connect with her brother and-

 

“That’s right, I will.”

 

Adrien turned in confusion to see the shadowed figure of Adam start to drag himself onto the stage, sword in hand. What the- but this fight isn’t supposed to happen now! We just started scene one of act two, what was-

 

Adrien’s sword was clashed out of his hand, clattering across the stage, and it was then that Adrien realized that.. this wasn’t.. Adam anymore.

 

”What the- w-wait!” Adrien shouted, before being thrown across the stage. He yelped with pain as Prince Shining approached the mortified Rose with the eyes of a man on a mission. “WAIT!”

 

”Ad-“ Rose started but her voice died on her lips and Adrien watched as Adam threw what looked like golden sparkly pollen from his point of view towards her face- and her knees buckled. Adrien stood up as Adam gently placed Rose down onto the ground. Her eyes flutter closed.

 

Adrien’s face paled. Just like the script.. but instead of me doing it..

 

“What happened to you?!” Adrien cried out in horror, trying to approach Adam “What did-“

 

He yelped with surprise as Prince Shining launched forward, grabbing him by the face and whispering.

 

“Break the show for a second, Agreste, and I’ll personally stain your blood into the wood of this stage.” The akuma snarled, Adrien’s eyes wide with fear. “The play. Is. Everything.”

 

Adrien was thrown across the stage again. There was no carefulness in it. No practicing of rolling across the ground and pretend motion- he found his feet lifted off of the ground and launched, hitting the ground with a people dizzying thud. Adrien shook his head, trying to stand but feeling his knees buckle.

 

Glancing at Rose’s body on the ground, she looked almost lifeless, if not for the soft breathing and rising of her chest in a slow, sleepy, pace. I gotta protect her until Ladybug and Panthera arrives! Adrien decided, looking up at Prince Shining.

 

”You’re mad-“ Adrien started, trying to start some words of comfort. But he knew he couldn’t fight against an akuma. It wouldn’t hurt to try though.

 

”Of course I am.. after you almost killed me.. I managed to stowaway onto your ship, you scum. I’m taking my princess away from you. She’s mine!” Prince Shining shouted, as if that was something righteous. “But first! You shall die!”

 

Adrien’s blood ran cold as he dodged an attack. He was no superhero, he couldn’t fight, all he had were his abilities to fence, and Juleka’s simple stage lessons on a more rough way to sword fight. Adrien’s emerald eyes darted to his sword and grabbed it just in time to block another slash from Prince Shining’s crimson sword, which had vines entangled around his hand and grip.

 

CLANG! CLANG!

 

Adrien was outmatched by the speed and strength Adam had now possessed as he ducked and parried as best as he could. He  swung over Adam’s head but was blocked by his own blade which caused him stumbling back as he was forced to dodge and block the many jabs and slashes.

 

Adrien’s heart pounded through his ears. To his horror though as he glanced at the crowd, he found they were enraptured. They had no idea..

 

He was thinking about shouting for them to run but he was brought to his knees by a horrible crack as Prince Shining brought his foot up and kicked downwards. For a moment, as the akuma’s back was faced to the crowd, Adrien could see Hawkmoth’s visor flash over Adam’s face.

 

”Shut up Hawkmoth..” Adam growled, shaking it away “You promised me my show..”

 

”Adam..” Adrien pleaded.

 

“NOW YOU’LL PAY FOR EVERY LIFE YOU’VE STOLEN AWAY! EVERY DREAM CRUSHED BENEATH YOUR HEARTLESS SHOE. THE DEPTHS OF HELL WILL SWALLOW YOU WHOLE- AND JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED!” Prince Shining shouted.

 

Adrien’s eyes widened with fear as Prince Shining lifted up his sword. He was scared. He was terrified. He was going to die. He was tempted to scream out- to tell the crowd who were watching with bated breath thinking it was all an act to run- but what Adam would to to them in his akumatized rage- Adrien was no doubt too scared to risk-

 

“FAREWELL! PIRATE KING!” Adrien’s eyes widened with fear as Prince Shining swung down at him-

 



CLANG!

 

Prince Shining’s eyes widened as his crimson blade bounced off a silver scabbard. He stumbled backwards as the figure lazily let her their arm fall, chest heaving as her dark hair pooled over the side of her face as her ripped dress fluttered around her. Fake blood dried on her dress as her sword scraped across the wooden floor.

 

”You...!” Prince Shining gasped with the audience, before turning enraged “WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO BE-“

 

She chuckled darkly, “Dead? No my prince. That was a ruse, staged by me and Malachite.”

 

Stepping onto the stage, smiling with the conniving evil smile of a criminal, was her.

 

”J-Jul-“ Adrien weakly started, the girl put a finger to his lip and let out a ‘shhhh’. His eyes widening as he stared at her focused and heated eyes.

 

”It’s okay, little brother. I can handle this now. You save everyone, I’ll handle this cretin.” Juleka spat a little forcefully, whipping around the pirate coat that hung over her shoulders, another ring of gasps coming from the audience.

 

”Brother.?” Adrien echoed in confusion, too quiet for the audience to hear. Which was good. It was the only thing Juleka could think of to not break the immersion. She smiled at him. Prince Shining might cause more damage if I break character, which is, dumb.

 

”Little brother?!” Prince Shining sputtered. Juleka made a look to Adrien who got the memo and ran off stage in a heaving hurry, before she looked back at Prince with a deadly smile. She pulled as deep as she could to find that spark the character she had to be that would let her become her.

 

”Oh yes, course we don’t look alike. Mama was one to sleep around.” ‘Olive’ mused, picking up Adrien’s pirate hat and slipping it onto her head as she began to trail around him “You know how it is. We woman have to do what we can to survive in this world..”

 

Prince began to catch on but still seemed to be spitting with anger “What are you- DON’T YOU DARE-“

 

“No one respects woman here on the seas. So if I have to just be a mastermind behind every scheme my little Malachite puts his face to, well I’ll do it.” She continued, cementing her role already. “But now, it seems I’ve got to get my hands dirty..”

 

Was Juleka insane? Oh absolutely. Without a doubt. She was the second insane person she knew. Number one being Anarka Couffaine. And her mother would always be her number one. But her mind drove her with one thought:

 

Gotta save Rose, gotta save Rose, gotta- She glanced down to see Rose’s body laying at her feet and Juleka’s breath stilled for a moment, and she immediately dropped to her knees to put a hand on her face. She was still breathing, but..

 

Rose’s eyes were closed, a soft glittering covered over parts of her already glowing hair and dusting over her nose. It’s like she’s under some spell..

 

”What did you do to her?” Juleka growled, glaring with the heat of hell through her hair as Prince Shining stared at her with equal bitterness.

 

”You don’t get to take this from me! I’ve already made her mine.” Prince Shining spat. “Something I should’ve just done before..!”

 

Juleka felt her chest burn with anger, feeling the rage flow through her veins as she held Rose’s hand, squeezing it, before letting go to turn to him.

 

”Then I’ll take her away from you.” Juleka said, gripping tightly to her sword. No! Her mind screamed. Just wait for Marinette to get here you can’t fight an akuma! But she was far beyond reason now. Just a burning feeling in her chest that seared through her veins and flooded into her sword.

 

“Take her away.. from me..?” Prince Shining echoed, before letting out a breathy manic laugh “You selfish fucking monster. . YOU’VE ALREADY RUINED EVERYTHING! YOU CAN’T JUST COME HERE AND JUST FUCK EVERYTHING UP!”

 

”OOH HE CURSED!” Someone shouted in the audience, they were hushed, and sounded suspiciously like Anarka. Juleka sweated. Damn it ma.

 

“That’s right.. that’s right! I am selfish!” Juleka declared, voice trembling but her eyes daring as she gripped tighter to her sword. I chased after Rose, I flirted with her, I pursued her as Panthera just because I knew she liked her and wanted her to like me! I was a coward. I just wanted her so bad and I wasn't thinking about how could she could ever feel about it. She probably hates me. She should. I don't deserve her-! Adam's convinced me of that. Her lips quivered, “But are not both monsters? For wanting her to be ours?”

 

“Shut up.” Prince Shining spat, though his shaking voice betrayed him. His eyes burning with rage. “Shut up!”

 

“I’ll steal her away from you..” Juleka growled, stepping forward, eyes thin as her greedy deceleration echoed across the space between them. “Far far away from you.. like the pirate I am!”

 

“Why? WHY!?” Prince shouted “WHY MUST IT ALWAYS BE YOU DAMN IT!”

 

“BECAUSE I’M IN LOVE WITH HER! JUST LIKE YOU!” Juleka shouted even louder, her voice burning raw and trembling before falling into a hushed but steeled tone “And because I know I don’t deserve her, and cause I knew you really could take her..”

 

Prince’s face softened for a moment, eyes widening. Juleka’s head hung between her shoulders, eyes stinging with tears.

 

“You’re perfect. You’d make her happy. You’ve got the will to protect her.” Juleka muttered, closing her eyes before opening them and gripping tightly to her sword “But that wasn’t enough for me. I believed it had to be me! Which is why I know I’m the villain. And why, I’ve got to beat you now that you’ve done this!”

 

Juleka sniffled, breathing deep breathes through her teeth, she could feel Plagg starting to protest beneath her jacket now. Ladybug was not here yet. Juleka was alone. Juleka was not Panthera.

 

“BEHOLD!” Juleka screamed, her arms shaking as she gripped tightly to the sword “I.. AM THE REAL PIRATE KING! AND I WILL TAKE THE PRINCESS FROM YOU! MONSTER!”

 

She flapped her coat behind her as she pointed the tip of her blade towards him. Her eyes burning with determination that scalded through her veins to her quaking bones

 

”COME WITH ME!” Juleka roared, voice shaking and raw. “COME WITH ME AND DANCE IN THE HELLFIRE I’VE CREATED WITH MY TWO HANDS, AND BECOME THE ASH I WALK ON!

 

A few moments of silence drawled out as Prince Shining did nothing, just, staring at her with a blank expression. Before her spoke, the silence of the stage holding onto every hiss of his tongue.

 

”..A monster..” Adam softly echoed, before letting out a breathy chuckle. Before it turned into a giggle, and then a manic choking laugh, filled with the occasional weak sob before her smiled up at her. Holding up his crimson bladed sword with an expression that Juleka couldn’t describe as a familiar madness. “..You say you’re a monster then.. finally.. you admit it..”

 

The akuma let in a sucked breath, rubbing his eyes tiredly before looking at her with a bubbling disgust.

 

“A monster trying to be a hero.. how quaint..” He said softly, before his voice grow dark and growled “I’m  the hero here. I’m the protagonist. You’re just the background character to my glory. Don't interrupt my denouement.. after everything you’ve done to ruin it..”

 

”Save the monologue when you’ve killed me.” Juleka snarled, her dark copper eyes glaring with a searing hate. Her hand squeezing her sword. “Then.. we’ll see.”

 

”..Alright then” Prince Shining said, looking at her with a blank expression. “Then die you shall.”

 

They launched themselves at eachother, Juleka’s heart pounding through her ears as she blocked a slash across her face with a metallic clang, ducked under another slash as she made a weak attempt to jab at his side.

 

Two snarling creatures, snapping at eachother’s flesh, and ripping at their capes for blood. Juleka snarled, swiping up Adam’s face before spinning and slashing over Adam again- which he dodged.

 

Juleka chuffed, raising her foot up and slamming it into his stomach. Prince Shining let out a choke of pain but gritted through it to slash it down on Juleka’s head.

 

She panicked, rolling away just in time as it slammed into the wood. Juleka looked up and stumbled back to her feet, heaving. Every moment she came near death, her heart rate spiked cause she knew there would be no miraculous power to save her.

 

Prince Shining dislodged his sword from the ground with a growl of anger, swinging at her as she blocked it hastily, slashing at him and keeping him away from her. She was terrified. She couldn’t get a good hit in.

 

What would Panthera do. WHAT WOULD PANTHERA DO- Juleka’s thoughts then screeched to a halt. Panthera? Why am I asking that?

 

Panthera would do the same things as me. I am Panthera.

 

Juleka stared at Prince Shining who was twitching, try to see or copy her movements. Analyze them. Parry them. Juleka’s clammy hands shook as they held her sword. Of course you’re Panthera, you put on Panthera’s mask and you become her. You break away from Juleka. Obviously. NOW FIGHT-

 

No! No- I can’t fight like Panthera. Juleka slowly began to move, the akumatized Adam moving with her as they began to circle around eachother. I’m not her right now, even if we’re the same person, I can’t fight like her, I’ve got fight like Juleka.  I’ve got to be me.

 

Prince Shining charged forward as she blocked it with her sword, pulling her foot backwards before spinning around him and blocking another strike. Juleka’s eyes were wide as he swung at her more- but she found herself dancing around him.

 

For a moment she found herself back at Princess Prom. With Ladybug holding onto her, and then Rose in her arms- Juleka ducked beneath another slash and swung at him.

 

Juleka clashed her sword against his, her shoes scraping against the surface of the ground as her knee buckled for a moment. And she could gaze into Prince Shining- no- Adam’s eyes with a fiercer focus.

 

And she could see longing. The same beating love inside his heart that burned through their lungs, and ached through their muscles. Undying, possessive, they wanted, they wanted, and they wanted, and they loved. And they wanted what they loved so dearly. And they wanted what they loved to be theirs forever.

 

Juleka let out a roar as she scraped her sword away and hit his head with the butt of her sword, which only made him dizzy for a moment while she made a move for his side with her blade, which was blocked.

 

They wanted to keep Rose, to possess her, because they adored her so deeply. Even if they denied it.

 

Juleka herself had been willing to use her leverage as Panthera Noire to charm her- how selfish of me. Her eyes narrowed. But you did the same as Prince Edmund.

 

Who is she that she loves though? Who? Who must we crush, who must we beat? The fire within her hissed. Her jealousy, her rage. Juleka felt it circle around her throat and it’s fiery heat lick at her jaw. Juleka could feel it’s catlike eyes burning through her skin. We’ll hunt them down! We’ll prove us better- for we’re deserving- we’ll prove us worthy-

 

Juleka knocked Adam back, breathing in.

 

Breathing out.

 

And when she opened her eyes it was like she was staring right at herself. Burning from the inside out and snarling like an animal. Incomprehensible speech as it begged for the love it oh so desired. 

 

”I’m not afraid..” Juleka croaked. And despite her shaking voice she was telling the truth “There’s no use in longing this way, this selfish, selfish way.. I’ve realized that.”

 

What do you mean by that idiot? Her mind screamed. Are you giving up on her? Are you giving up on Rose? On your love? On your happiness!? What-

 

“I see you.” She said, hair fluttering through the wind as her voice boomed across the stage towards her reflection. To Adam. To herself. Their eyes burning as the cold hair broke a chill through their sweaty bodies. “And I recognize the yearning in your eyes as it’s the same I see reflected in my mirror. But this love you hold for this girl has become greedy.”

 

I’m sorry. Juleka murmured, holding her heart in her chest like it was a fragile ball of glass. But I can’t live on like this and make this Rose’s problem anymore. And for a moment her mind was quiet.

 

I will protect her.

 

Even from myself.

 

My selfishness, my greed, my own love if I must. Because that’s what matters to me. Juleka thought, gripping the sword tightly. I love, Rose Lavillant. So if it’s what’s needed to be, I will let her go.

 

“See me? SEE ME? WHAT KIND OF BULL IS THAT?” Prince Shining snarled “Greedy- you’re the greedy one for ruining everything! You’re spiteful, you Pirate. Everything I do is for her love-“

 

”-And I do the same! You do the same!” Juleka cried, waving a hand as the audience watched with bated breath. Juleka inhaled. “Do you know how suffocating it was, to stand by her side? Watching as time flowed without you. My old goal vanished.. I just wanted to see her smile.. but when the time came to..”

 

How could she say this, how could she tell her feelings without breaking anything. She thought about her character.

 

”..destroy the kingdom-“ She decided finally, looking up at Adam “I hesitated- because of one thing.”

 

She pointed her sword at him.

 

”You.”

 

Prince’s eyebrows lifted in confusion.

 

Juleka slowly stalked forward “I don’t say that because of some twist where I love you. No, I hate you. I despise you. I want to curse you to the seas where only the foamy waters will know your name when your bones decay and yet they’ll only spit it out with disgrace and more.”

 

“Tch..” Prince Shining glared, stepping backwards.

 

”But I saw her eyes. She really did admire you.” Juleka said softly. “And I couldn’t bear the thought of purposefully making her unhappy.”

 

“What.. do you even want then..” Prince Shining growled, “You want, you don’t want, you want, you don’t- you say we’re the same but speak so highly of yourself where is the goddamn point you’re getting at, Pirate?”

 

Juleka inhaled, and counted to ten, before exhaling and counting to ten. I’m okay. Her eyes opened as she parted part of her bangs out of her voice before she slowly adjusted the grip on her sword.

 

“I want to love freely. I want to love unconditionally. And so do you.” Juleka said softly “I understand that. I see that. I acknowledge that. But there is a difference between us. I know who I am without her. But You don’t. And you can’t let go of her because of that can’t you?”

 

Juleka slowly stalked forewarn, hair fluttering behind her as she grimaced.

 

“This obsession that’s turned us into wild animals, has turned that love into a sickness. And I will be the first one to break free of it!” Juleka declared to the highest heavens, voice rumbling across the stage as the lights shown down on her. “YOU HEAR ME? EVEN IF MY LOVE DIES WITH ME, I WILL PROTECT THE PRINCESS FROM YOU!”

 

Prince’s eyes widened as Juleka lunged- her gleaming sword glowing in the light like some holy warrior as she ducked under his jab forward, knocking the sword out of hands across the stage with a swinging foot- clattering- before she danced backwards and thrusted the sword towards his exposed stomach-

 

“RAAAGH!”

 

Thud.




The both let out a haggard breath as she grabbed him by the throat, forcing him to his knees and slid her sword across his side. The audience gasped with awe as the two heaved with exhaustion. 

 

”You pretended to..” Prince Shining whispered under his breath in disbelief as his arm reached to the sword at his side and his unharmed self.

 

”Obviously.. it’s acting after all..” Juleka muttered, closing her eyes to catch her breath.

 

Prince Shining’s eyes were wide as Juleka held her sword beside the akuma’s torso. Making sure the sword was behind them so the audience couldn’t see. Her hand held his shoulder weakly but the glare in her eyes was enough.

 

She leaned to his ear, hissing “Just fall over and wait for Ladybug to come and purify you.. You won’t ruin the show for this. I know you.”

 

Prince Shining let out a struggled gasp as her grip tightened on his shoulder when she felt the slight move to struggle.

 

“Just fall over, Adam. And the show will end, quickly. The crowd will adore your performance. Just. Fall.” Juleka hissed, trying to keep him from standing back up. She was at her limit. Chest heaving as she struggled to keep him down. But she knew Prince wouldn’t break the show. Not for a second.

 

Juleka inhaled and spoke up, so the crowd could hear.

 

“You became a villain for her love, that, I can relate to. I suppose we are both heartless in our own ways.” ‘Olive’ hissed, voice shaking as her jacket flapped behind her “Blind to our emotions, we didn’t even consider how she felt. The sins we both bare, we are one in the same. So before I slay you, I apologize. I’ve never met such a worthy opponent.”

 

She acted pulling the sword from Adam’s side and stood up, breathing heavily as he hit the ground. The crowd was holding its breath and she could hear the soft shifting of cloth as Prince was no doubt crawling away.

 

Juleka turned to where Rose was sleeping. Her beautiful face glowing in the soft stage lights. Cheeks a rosy pink. And hair just oh so drifted over her perfect face.

 

A girl of her own sorrows, but one who’s hopes outshined them. She was kind, she was stubborn in her own way, she was creative, she was bright. She was Rose. And Juleka loved Rose. 

 

Juleka sucked in a breath. She wasn’t looking forward to this. She couldn’t bare to do this. And yet. She had to didn’t she. To complete the show. But she could always write a new ending.

 

She made one last swish of her cape, perhaps it was to buy time, or just so she could finish the lines as one last petty bite at Prince Shining. At Adam. She didn’t know what she’d do next. Maybe Ladybug would get her and she wouldn’t have to at all. That would be most preferable. She didn’t want to steal Rose’s first kiss after all.

 

“Farewell, Prince.” She muttered thickly, her eyes blinded by the light of the stage “I bid you-“

 

She didn’t get to finish her sentence.

 

As suddenly she heard the scrape of metal go across the floor, and she turned to see Prince’s wild eyes and then-

 

And then pain.

 

 

Notes:

Uh oh

Hope you enjoyed that

Chapter 49: Fairy Tale Ending

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

”Excuse me?”

 

Juleka looked up with fear as she nearly fell off of the seat, she clutched her papers and crayons close to her chest. Standing in front of her was a small petite girl with wide eyes, long blonde hair, covered in small barrettes and flowery pins, her small fluffy tutu bunched in her two hands that hung beside his hips.

 

The nine year old stared up at the girl nervously and silently. What does she want with me?

 

“Ah! I thought I recognized you! Hi! Can I be your friend, we went to the same doctor!” The girl said, sitting next to her and smiling “Hi! I’m Rose! Whats your name?”

 

The fourth grade teacher, at that point, finally looked up from her desk and squabbled her way over, making Juleka jump again as she appeared behind them. 

 

”A-Ah, this is Juleka, Rose! She has trouble talking, so you won’t say anything..” The woman said, trying to sound as kind as possible. But Juleka thought she could hear the sense of annoyance in her voice.

 

She knew it was there, she just knew it. Her grip tightened on her things and she immediately started moving to the back of the room while the woman kept trying to talk to the other girl. Neither were paying attention to her anyways, it was good timing.

 

Except, the girl did see her leave, and once the teacher left her side, she immediately ran over to Juleka again and sat down right next to her.

 

”You’re name is Juleka, right? That’s so pretty! I’m Rose! What’re you drawing?”

 

Juleka thought she was annoying. And loud. And she already wanted to hide. It was like staring directly into the sun. But she still passed over the small drawing and watched the girl’s eyes sparkle with wonder.

 

”A horse! That’s so pretty! That’s so cool! What crayons did you use! I like how you gave it red eyes that’s so awesome!”

 

Juleka just, didn’t know how to respond. She couldn’t even if she wanted to, but, still. Just, wide eyed as this Rose character babbled on and on about- not even horses anymore, unicorns, and fairy tales.

 

The young girl couldn’t keep up, so Juleka just grabbed a new piece of paper and started drawing something different. This Rose seemed preoccupied with her old paper anyways. She definitely wasn’t getting it back.

 

Dang it.. I wanted to finish my drawing.. She glumly thought. Why’s this girl trying so hard..

 

Juleka was never able to get rid of her. No matter where she hid, that ball of sunshine managed to peel away the shadows Juleka drowned herself in with a bright smile asking about her day, even when she was never given any vocal answer.

 

Life was filled with unpredictabilities. It felt like every choice Juleka made, the world decided to not be gentle. It decided to not be kind. And Juleka had to learn so early that it never was hers to decide.

 

But there was Rose. Kind. Loving. Compassionate. Even when faced with a deadpan silence, Rose always managed to make Juleka actually smile at some point in their one sided conversation, about unicorns and princesses.

 

Juleka remembers going to the hospital because Rose wasn’t at school one day, because she was worried. She was worried for the annoying girl who sat at her empty table. The girl who was nice to her. The girl who she called.. her friend.

 

She remembers sneaking in despite being told not to, and seeing the blonde in one of the beds; with a burning fever, blushed cheeks, and unfocused eyes from a sickness that- while they didn’t have a name for- she swore to secrecy when Rose woke hours later, doing a little better, and spotted the dark haired girl outside the door.

 

And so, Juleka wanted to be kind too. She taught Rose how to do sign, she asked her mom for speech therapy so she wouldn’t just wait for her words to ‘come back to her’, and she listened more to what the girl had to say. Months had gone by as Rose’s latched on company felt more... reciprocated? Juleka didn’t know how to describe it.

 

Juleka sat quietly on the playground equipment as Rose made circles with her hands to the sky. Her legs kicking around.

 

”-Papa grew more things in the garden, did I tell you?” Rose said, looking at her as she paused her babbling for a moment. Juleka shook her head, but she remembers Rose did. She just wanted to hear her talk. “I didn’t? Oh my gosh I gotta tell you about it they’re sooooo pretty, Juleka!”

 

Juleka just hummed as Rose began to ramble about the carnations and sunflowers that had become Mr Lavillant’s latest ‘project’. Juleka fumbling with her hands as she struggled to ask the question she wanted to ask. Or say the thing she wanted to say.

 

”He’s also working on some com-compost thing with these cute little wormies! Next time you come over, we should go help him with them!” Rose squeaked. Juleka blinked, and smiled as Rose met her eyes.

 

“Maybe” Juleka’s palms were faced up as she made a seesaw motion as she gave a shy smile.

 

”I’ve been trying to convince him to plant some hydrangeas too! I love those! So pretty!” Rose squealed, kicking her legs excitedly. “Are they your favorite flower, Juleka?”

 

An unlikely friendship. An unlikely love. Juleka bit her lip a little as she tried to figure herself internally out before she finally found her words.. It was hard, but, Juleka tried. Because seeing Rose, Juleka wanted to try.

 

Rose stared up at her waiting to see her gestures but Juleka just put her hands on her lap.

 

“...No” Her voice was quiet, barely a mumble as her lips were curled into a shy smile. Rose’s eyes were wide as Juleka met them, mouth gaping a little as she heard the first words from the girl in all of the months she knew her. “But, I.. like them.”

 

...

 


”It’s okay, little brother. I can handle this now. You save everyone, I’ll handle this cretin.”

 

Adrien’s eyes were wide with shock as he stared up at the figure who stood in front of him protectively. Dark tattered jacket whipping around from her shoulders as her dark raven purple highlighted hair pooled over part of her face.

 

”Brother.?” He echoed in confusion. His body ached as he struggled to stand again but Juleka just gave him a kind, yet strained look. In her hand was one of the extra swords, and her smile was too wide to be considered sane.

 

“Little brother..?!” Prince Shining shouted, and that’s when Adrien got it as Juleka jerked her head off the stage. She’s giving me time to get to the others. Have they been captured?!

 

Adrien scrambled off of the stage with his sword in hand, his chest heaving with fear as he screeched to a halt into the back rooms of the theater.

 

”Oh my god..” He muttered with fear.  The entirety of the back was covered in writhing vines and flowers. He could see lumps sprinkled around the floor and hanging from the ceiling like cocoons. Some were bigger than others, maybe people were captured together.

 

He could hear the people in the inside, shouting though muffled.

 

”HELP!”

 

”GET US OUT!”

 

”LADYBUG!”

 

Where was Ladybug? Adrien couldn’t question it, as he ran to the nearest one he saw and shouted towards it.

 

”It’s me Adrien! I’m gonna get you out! Try and stay close to the wall!” Adrien said,

 

”Adrien! It’s me, Nino! Help a dude out!”

 

Adrien nodded, holding up his sword and carving through the vines, which was a lot harder than he thought it’d be. Eventually he snapped it completely open, letting the light pour onto Nino who gasped for fresh air and flopped out of it.

 

”Thanks bro! You saved me guts!” Nino grinned.

 

”Juleka’s buying us time right now, we need to hurry! Get another sword and start freeing people!” Adrien ordered.

 

”Adam blocked the exits, we should figure out a way to open those up too!” Nino added, the two nodded to eachother and split up.

 

Adrien pried multiple people out of their vine prisons, his endurance wavering more and more as he spent more energy trying to pull his way through. He didn’t have endless strength after all, he wasn’t a hero.

 

“Marinette!” Adrien smiled as he helped her out of the entangled vines along with a few others.

 

”Adrien!” Marinette said with relief “Did Panthera Noire arrive?”

 

He shook his head, helping Alix out “No, none of the heroes have arrived yet. I managed to get off stage but Juleka’s holding Adam off. She’s- she won’t last long”

 

”Juleka?” Marinette echoed breathily with fear before shrieking “Against an akuma?!”

 

Alix’s eyebrows furrowed for a moment before she checked her phone. “No bars.. we can’t make an akuma alert.. we need to get out of here.”

 

”Shit..” Adrien hissed under his breath which he instinctively covered his mouth for but no one seemed to care about it but him so there his hand fell as the cogs in his mind attempted to turn. He had no plan, only ideas of the next step they could take.

 

“Grab anything you can you think could free some of these doors, help anyone you can.” Adrien decided, helping a dizzy Aurore out of the vine cocoon. 

 

”Right.” Alix nodded, before looking around in concerned confusion “Hey- where’d Marinette go?”

 

He looked around confusedly. Huh where did she go?

 

Adrien was about to bark out an order when they heard a scream from on stage and they all froze with fright, Adrien and Alix scramble across the torn of vines and screeched to a halt as they stared wide eyed in horror from the wings.

 

”Fuck.!” Alix hissed, eyes wide as she clapped a hand over her mouth. Adrien was practically holding her back as he could feel the skater trying to charge forward.

 

”We can’t fight an akuma-“ He croaked, holding tightly to her with fear “Where is Ladybug!?”

 

...

 

Juleka stared at the blade stabbed into her side. Her eyes widened with horror as Prince heaved with exhaustion, holding his sword with shaking hands around the grip.

 

”Got.. you..” Prince Shining grimaced.

 

Oh. Oh that’s..

 

It was colder than she thought it’d be.. but.. also burning..

 

She screamed in gut wrenching agony, her throat burning with pain as she doubled over in pain filled horror, her knees buckling as pain burst across her body like a wildfire

 

“F-FUCK! YOU FUCKING- fUck..!” She hacked with pain, her hands shaking as she stared downwards at her own reflection staring back at her from the dark crimson scabbard. It hurts IT HURTS! FUCK!

 

She reached a hand down to try and keep the blade there, shit, if she could keep the blood inside- no-

 

Prince pulled the blade out with a horrible ripping sound and she immediately flew a hand over the wound to keep the blood from splattering across the ground. FUCK! Juleka staggered backwards before dropping to her knees in pain, choking on her own haggard breaths.

 

“And now.. we truly- Hah! S-share the same pain!” Prince Shining made a fake gasp of pain, which seemed to mock Juleka’s own as sweat rolled down her cheeks. He was still engulfed in his role.

 

Juleka wanted to snarl at him, maybe shook back an insult, grab her sword and continue to fight again but, she couldn’t.. not this time.

 

She knew pain. She knew it well. She knew the soft burn of her nails across her skin when it itched for release of stress, when she dug too deep and she’d have to hide the embarrassing red marks that she didn’t want people to worry about- the brief but soon to numb pain of an impact she’d receive as Panthera, smothered by Plagg’s magic and the kisses of magic ladybugs-

 

But this was.. shit.. this was agony..

 

”Don’t...” She gasped, but she could barely will herself to speak, her throat closing in at the sheer attempt. But she still tried to force herself to, she had to.

 

Juleka’s eyes darted to the crowd, and her stomach twisted. All of these people were about to see her die on stage, even if the blade only went through her a few inches, she knew that’d be enough to- to-

 

Damn it Partner- f-fuck! Where are you..! Her mind screamed in feral fear as she clasped the wet wound at her side tighter.. fear staining every part of her webbing consciousness. Partner! LADYBUG!

 

She watched as Prince Shining stared grimly at his sword, the audience waiting with beckoned breath. Juleka’s chest heaved up and down. She had no magic. She was just a civilian. Just a weak goth girl playing dress up. Full of jealousy and hate.

 

Tears began to brim her eyes.

 

What was she even thinking? She wasn’t a hero, not right now at least. Her ring was useless. What made her think her powerless self could fight against a powered super villain? Hawkmoth was almost quiet this entire time, Juleka had no idea where the akuma could be and there was no way she could break it and-

 

-and yet somewhere deep inside her refused to break the show, for Adam. He’d hate her if she did- If the audience was broken out of their immersion. How dumb was that? And yet she couldn’t.

 

“Don’t.. t-touch her..” Juleka gasped as Prince made his way to Rose’s fallen body, shoving her out of the way as she was too weak to fight back. Just clutching to her sticky side as it gushed underneath her fingers. “Don’t you dare..”

 

“I’m going to save her, you cretin.. she’s my princess, my flower. I’m going to make sure you never try and take her from me again!” Prince Shining hissed protectively, glaring at her with a murderous glare. You bitch..!

 

“Sounds possessive to me..” Juleka spat, for once unable to shut up. She tried to look around for where she dropped her sword but it was far beyond her weakening reach.

 

He turned around with his back to the audience, eyes flashing with rage. Juleka could see the faint flash of Hawkmoth’s visor. But he shook it off.

 

“Right right Hawkmoth- it’s the finale anyways, I’ll get your dumb jewelry when this is over..” He muttered, before looking back to Juleka and unsheathing his sword, Juleka gulped, she was too weak to fight, trying to reach for her sword was useless “I was going to let you bleed to death, but you know what, maybe I’ll just cut your head off, beast. And show the entire word the death of a tyrant!”

 

“T-That’s.. not how you truly feel!” Juleka cried, but it was more of a plea. To Adam. To the kid her age she knew who just wanted a good show. Who wanted to be liked by the girl he admired. “Your sins will stain your hands forever, you don’t want this, I know you don’t!”

 

“Shut up.” Prince said, brandishing his sword. Eyes burning into her with an intensity that was getting harder and harder to look at. Too similar. Too similar.! “I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!”

 

Juleka felt a swell of blood and bile rise in her throat. She felt dizzy. Sick. She wasn’t sure where she was hit but it probably wasn’t somewhere good, as the world was starting to be covered by black dots.

 

“Y-You can’t!” Juleka shouted, before her voice softened with the wince of her pain. “She’ll hate you.. cause I’m..” she paused, eyes widening “..I’m.. important to her..” 

 

It felt like some pathetic thing to spit out, like some desperate excuse. And it was. It really was. It felt self entitled and selfish. Juleka couldn’t partially herself believe what she was saying, but part of her hoped.. 

 

“Yeah? That’s what you tell yourself, isn’t it?” Prince Shining asked “To give yourself a reason to hang out with her when you know you mean nothing to her and that you will be her undoing? Yeah. That’s what you tell yourself. Tell me I’m wrong.”

 

Juleka felt a nasty feeling in her gut twist that wasn’t her bleeding side, tears biting at her eyes as she felt her arm propping her up shaking and losing it’s ability to keep her up. Rose.. Rose.. I’m sorry.. I.. She stared down at the unconscious girl and all she wanted to do was throw her body in front of hers to protect her from the akuma..

 

”Even if you were, to me, you’re just an enemy in my way.” Prince said plainly, eyes narrowing. “That’s what matters. Just because you spent some measly time with her doesn’t mean you deserve her love.”

 

“You know why I came here?! To fight you?” Juleka screamed, desperate, maddened, wild as she stared up at her. Her voice was shaking as the last of her strength fled from her “I- I wanted to save her! All you wanted to do was have her!”

 

“You are not worthy of her!” Prince Shining snarled, voice burning with rage. “I’M KEEPING HER SAFE FROM YOU!”

 

“BUT WHO’LL KEEP HER SAFE FROM YOU?!” Juleka spat with equal bitterness. For a split moment she saw Adam. Eyes widened with thought and confusion, maybe even doubt, before he shook it away- drowned by his own hatred and bitterness.

 

“ENOUGH!” Prince shouted, voice cracking and raw as he rose his sword in the air, Juleka choked on her own air as she saw it glimmer in the stage lights. “I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS! THIS! IS MY DENOUEMENT! THIS! IS MY HAPPY ENDING!

 

She was going to die. She was going to die.

 

Juleka suppressed a sob of fear as the burning pain at her side continued to seep through her gloved hands and stained coat. Her vision was blurring and her mind throbbed. She couldn’t run. All of the fire in her was snuffed out. She was scared. Mama..! Mama please..! I’m sorry..! Save me please..!

 

But no one would, because she was a fool who wanted to fufill the wants of the enemy in front of her. She wanted the perfect show too. She wanted to take over the stage when it truly belonged to the prince. Juleka clutched her side with pain. What was I thinking..

 

”DIE!” He screamed, bringing his blade down on her. Juleka squeezed her eyes shut as time felt like it was slowing. This is it.. I feel like I should have something to say. I guess I’m sorta writing my own eulogy. Or will.. let’s see..

 

She imagined herself holding the pen, inked with her own blood as she began to write in front of the impatient death, tapping it’s bones fingertip onto the mahogany desk. She’d been here before. 

 

I’m sorry, Mom. For, putting this shit on you again. You don’t even know this is happening. But once this guy cuts off my head, I think you’ll know. I’m so so sorry. I was probably the worst thing to happen to you. I wish I wasn’t such a goddamn burden.. you probably hate me..

 

I’m sorry Luka. Fuck, I’m so sorry. You can have Plagg if you want, if I don’t get revived. You didn’t deserve another weight on your shoulders thinking about me. Please don’t blame yourself, god don’t blame yourself I’ll never forgive you, if you do. You don’t deserve that. And Rose-

 

Juleka’s imaginary pen quivered as she thought of the blonde’s soft face and gentle smile. She was so scared. So so scared. She felt like she was drowning in it.

 

I’m sorry Rose, for everything. I wanna live though. I wanted. I wanted to live with you. I wanted. I wanted. But.. I suppose I’ve never been the one to really get anything. Juleka’s mind swam. I’m sorry.. and.. I..

 

“Show’s over!”

 

Juleka’s eyes widened as the stage whistled with a similar whizzing sound. A yo-yo flew through the air and wrapped around The akuma’s blade and yanked it out of his hands, sending it falling to the ground. There was a loud stomp and Juleka watched as it was smashed to pieces. Could it be..?

 

“So it wasn’t in the sword.. darn..” The all too familiar voice remarked. The stage lights glowing a deep warm amber is it rested down upon the red clad hero’s form. Ribbons fluttering behind her as she spun her yo-yo.

 

“L-Lady..” Juleka croaked, hands shaking as her lips curled into a weak smile. “Ladybug..”

 

Marinette..

 

“Damn it why the hell are you here!?” Prince Shining snarled, picking up the sword she had used. Juleka gulped as she stared at the audience, whispers echoing from the seats.

 

“They added Ladybug into their show?”

 

“Why’s ladybug here?”

 

“Now this is a twist!”

 

”Who’s playing her?”

 

Ladybug made eye contact with her and Juleka watched them widen with shock and horror. She quickly made a thumbs up at her side and smiled weakly. Better late than never partner.. shit.. how do I explain this to her..

 

Ladybug discreetly motioned to the crowd in confusion and Juleka made a zipper motion with her hand, mouthing roll with it, please.’. She didn’t want Ladybug to worry about her.. 

 

“Um- of course I’m here. For I am- um- Lady Cerise.! Guardian of.. erm.. life! And creation. And, um, ladybugs.” Marinette fibbed up on the spot, constantly glancing backwards at the wounded girl. The audience chuckled a little but seemed to buy it. “This island is sacred grounds of mine. And sensing the negative emotion here, I’ve come to investigate who dares to disrupt my home.”

 

Juleka saw a flicker of Hawkmoth’s visor go over Prince’s face but he shook it away, muttering.

 

“Don’t break the illusion Hawkfucker..” He spat, before glaring at Ladybug. Ladybug swung her yo-yo around in front of her and Juleka, who watched on her knees as she approached the akuma.

 

“Your.. uh- source of corruption must be somewhere on you! Where is it?” Ladybug shouted, before whispering to the pirate dressed girl whilst she pulled out what looked like a red and black flashlight from her pocket. “Y-You’re safe now.. stay behind me, Juleka.. I’m so sorry I didn’t come sooner..”

 

Juleka weakly nodded, grateful, but she had never felt so useless as she gripped tightly to her ring beneath her glove.

 

“R-right..” She said, wincing as her bleeding side throbbed and gushed through her glove and dress. Her chest heaved up and down as she tried to stay conscious. The lights flashed around her whites and reds, but she could barely notice. I’m so scared but I gotta.. I can’t..

 

I wanna live.. Her mind cried. I refuse.. to die..!

 

She stumbled to her feet despite the pain that spiked through her at every tense motion, heaving for breath as she looked up at Ladybug who was swinging around Prince Shining. The akuma growled, grabbing for his scabbard and pulling out another sword and attempted to swipe at the hero.

 

Juleka stumbled, trying to analyze the situation. We need to run. Her mind cried in an animalistic desperation. We can’t fight like this. We. Will. Die.

 

I can’t.. I gotta help.. She thought, glancing down to see where her sword had landed and slowly picked it up with a shaking blood coated hand. Juleka spun around, her eyes darting towards Ladybug and Prince Shining. How can I help? How can I help?

 

Ladybug’s yo-yo whipped around, hitting and knocking over different things as it bounced off of Adam’s sword. Juleka stumbled backwards with surprise as she heard a shattering sound and saw the yo-yo hit some of the stage lights. Lights.

 

Juleka whistled for Ladybug’s attention, the hero swerving around to see her as she held her sword up. The gears in Ladybug’s head churned before finally clicking right and she grinned, holding the flashlight up and turning it on towards Juleka’s sword.

 

It reflected off brilliantly and bounced right into Prince Shining’s eyes as the sparkles and beautiful sheen of his costume played against him. He shrieked and swiped blindly, his sword dropping from his hands.

 

Ladybug spun her yo-yo beside her “Time for the curtain to fall on you!”

 

She threw it forward, watching it wrap around his arms and waist as she yanked it towards her. Ladybug put a foot to his chest but seemed to be waiting for something- before she awkwardly just reached forward to grab Adam’s crown.

 

Juleka realized. Oh, that would’ve been Panthera’s- my cue to cataclysm it.. if.. I was here.. shit..

 

Ladybug smashed the crown on the ground and a butterfly fluttered out dizzily, one of the last remaining lights shining down on her as she swiped it through the air.

 

”Your days are over akuma!” She said, though more quietly as she didn’t want to break the illusion of the show “Time to de-evilize!” And soon, she opened it up and let it go with a soft smile. It’s white wings fluttering through the audience as they let out gasps of awe and impressment “Bye bye, little butterfly.”

 

Covered in the darker light of the stage, Adam collapsed a few paces over, rubbing his head with pain.

 

“W-What.. happened” He croaked, glancing around him and muttering a soft. “Oh no” before Ladybug approached him. Juleka couldn’t hear what they were saying as the world spun around her.

 

Juleka released the sword in her hand, letting it clatter before she tiredly slumped to her knees. Cool.. cool.. we did it.. y-yay.. b-but the show- it’s not done yet- once Ladybug uses miraculous cure-

 

She looked up tiredly, her vision blurring as Ladybug stood in front of her. Eyes wide with concern. Juleka just held a thumbs up but that wasn’t convincing. Juleka let out a hack of pain, trembling as she clenched her side. Her eyes momentarily darted off stage where Adam stared guiltily at her. 

 

“Is this how the story ends, Lady Cerise?” She asked, looking up at Ladybug weakly. Her conscious wavering every moment she took a breath.

 

”You’re still..” Ladybug’s voice raised with quiet surprise.

 

”I can’t let the show end unhappily...” Juleka mumbled, her voice only between the two as the audience watched with full attention. “He wouldn’t want that..”

 

Ladybug stared at her for a long moment as Juleka struggled to stay conscious, holding her side tight as blood continued to seep through her dress. But then Ladybug extended an hand in front of her.

 

Juleka blinked with surprise, looking up at her as her throat dried. And she slowly reached for it-

 

Marinette’s delicate, slender hand.. ordering Juleka to stand. Her legs wobbled beneath her as her wound continued to sting with pain, and the warm blood continued to seep into her side. But there she was, on her feet. With Her friend weakly smiling at her.

 

”You’ve done good, Pirate King. You’ve fought hard. And you did your best, you’re finally safe.”  Marinette said softly, before she gestured behind her and she turned to see Rose’s still body.

 

Rose..

 

“Now, free the curse that has been bestowed on the Princess, and it shall lift all of the pain that has been casted across the kingdom.” Marinette said, clutching her lucky charm in her hand as the sound of her beeping ratings echoed between the two of them. They didn’t have much time. At least Marinette found the rare moment to be good at improv, Hah. Haha..

 

Juleka slowly nodded and found the strength to stumble her way over to Rose’s sleeping face, and her heart sunk a little. She had no right to do this. Not when Rose loved someone that wasn’t her. But she’d do anything.. to save her Rose.

 

Her eyes softened with grief. So she tried to go to her happy place. Thinking thinking.

 

But.. that happy place was just with Rose. At her house, but, also at her home. Their home? Hands intertwined, laughing, watching movies and being huddled by blankets. The soft warmth in her cheeks only rivaled by the heat in her heart.

 

She wanted Rose to love her, that’s for sure. But love wasn’t about the moon and the stars, it wasn’t about sacrificing and danger- it was just dumb luck. The moment Rose woke- if she even did- it didn’t mean she’d fall in love with Juleka that moment, or that she was obligated to, that was ridiculous and a dumb trope. That was dumb luck.

 

And even so, if Rose decided to love her, there would be a chance that one day it wouldn’t work out. Maybe Juleka would find someone who loved her back. And yet, her heart was selfish as always and cried; but I just want Rose! And perhaps that was her own problem.

 

Perhaps that was her own problem.

 

And with this kiss of mine, that holds our true love-“ Juleka recited quietly, echoing the words she was forced to hear Adam say in burning passion over and over, as her hand slowly caressed Rose’s cheek and combing through her hair. “-I free you, my heart, my s..s..”

 

Her voice choked for a moment, from either the concept of the word she tried to force out of her mouth or the pain at her side- she couldn’t tell. Romantic Soulmates never truly stuck to her as an idea. Even if some magic ice cream man gave you a strawberry and lemonade sherbet cone and kept winking at you- 

 

She worried Adam would berate her as usual for her sputtering. She worried the audience would realize the blood dripping from her side was real. She worried the face she’d meet if Rose opened her eyes would be one of disgust.

 

She worried. She dreaded. She hoped. She wanted. She was determined.

 

“My soulmate-“ She finally managed, feeling the fuzziness in her vision begin to grow “-from your slumber- in hopes our next sunrise, shall be one where our hands forever will be intertwined.”

 

Somehow her heart still was wishing for a maybe. Maybe Rose would love her. Maybe maybe maybe. But maybe Rose would hate her after this? Maybe maybe maybe. Maybe, that was a word that implied there was a chance. Did Juleka believe in those chances? Maybe. Maybe maybe maybe.

 

Juleka sucked in a breath, the audience was waiting. ”Forever and always.”

 

And with her hand combed through Rose’s hair. She was so close to her face, Juleka was practically breathing in her faded perfume. There was a deep tension between her and tearing through the space between them. Maybe this is how Ladybug felt when she was forced to kiss me during Dark Cupid. I’m not even a good kisser, am I? I wouldn’t know.

 

Juleka felt her baby hairs prickle with fear. A heat rising through her cheeks as she tried to focus on Rose’s face and not the agony in her side. What if this doesn’t work? She wondered, What if I pull away and she’s still asleep?

 

Well miraculous cure will definitely still wake her up. She logically figured, her eyebrows knitting as each slow second ticked by, her vision blurring more and more by the second as the throbbing pain in her side began to mesh with the rest of her aching and slowing body. That’s good.. that’s.. good.. 

 

Juleka gulped, and shifted it a little. She wasn’t sure what to do. I’ve never really been one to get or understand happily ever afters. Because after the big kiss, what happens next? There’s still no guarantee things.. She didn’t have time to stall though, not with the beeping of Ladybug’s earrings constantly ringing every minute.

 

So there Juleka knelt, holding Rose gingerly in her arms, taking a deep nervous breath- before she gently pulled Rose into a soft careful kiss.

 

”Miraculous Ladybug!” Ladybug’s voice distantly shouted from beyond the wings. Juleka felt a heat bloom in her chest as she felt a soft breath hitch against her lips and Juleka’s eyes fluttered open as a rush of red ladybugs flew around them, enveloping them like a warm hug and kissing the burning wound at her side until it was nothing but a memory-

 

Juleka pulled away for a moment before feeling a press to her lips again and her eyes closed as the tenseness in her shoulders began to loosen and maybe it was her imagination but maybe the feeling of a soft tender hand reaching up to hold the side of her face was real-

 

Her mind was reeling as the warmth of Rose’s lips against hers sent her heart into a pounding frenzy. I love you. Is what Juleka thought, and what echoed freely through her mind like a prayer. 

 

And after she could feel the miraculous cure leave the space around them, and she could hear the lights fully return- she was met with wide eyed baby blue.

 

...

 

Exiting off the stage  where the audience’s clapping could still be heard as everyone rushed to turn the lights off and close the curtains- Juleka was filled with a hand quivering energy and she could barely breath as her hand was found laced in Rose’s. She was on auto pilot really. Her head kinda spinning as she reached up to ghost her (now clean) hands over her lips. Just, thinking.

 

Juleka just nodded and waved off the crew and teachers who ran in asking if she was okay, just very, lost in a way, as the room spun around her. She was fine, really. Her body felt completely rejuvenated too. But despite that she felt like she was about to topple regardless.

 

Chloe was yelling something, Ms Bustier was trying to say something comforting but looked like she had that ‘I’m an adult I promise I’m sane’ look even though she was panicked as well, Mylene was shaking her arm worriedly, Juleka was one hundred percent lost.

 

No one could tell Juleka’s inner thoughts was just high pitched-

 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

 

-Yeah that. Juleka’s mind has been full of that since the moment Rose’s eyes opened. The only thing that kinda broke her out of her trance was Marinette who was shaking her by the shoulder.

 

”A-Are you okay? Did the cure heal you, are you traumatized? Speak to us please tell us you’re okay- holy shit-“ Marinette babbled with concern, eyes wide like dish plates. Anyone else would assume it was just cause they were friends and Marinette was such a devoted Class Representative but Juleka knew the real reason.

 

”Mmfine..” Juleka mumbled nervously, trying to squeeze Rose’s hand for support before finding nothing there. The voices of everyone else drowning out as Juleka’s head swiveled around and she could see Adam pulling the blonde away to a private corner to talk.

 

A small flare of panic rose through her but she decided to not pursue them, if she were transformed, her ears would definitely be flattened against her head. Transformed.. shit I need to get Plagg to some healer, but how? Shit I’m not usually so noticed like this, how do I get away?

 

Juleka’s eyes darted around as the group got louder and more questioning but Juleka couldn’t understand a word anyone was saying at this point and she was planning to just sneak away with the chaos as her cover until-

 

“Guys! Shouldn’t we go on stage and do some- bowing thing? The entire audience still thinks that was totally real.” Alix’s voice shouted from wings. They all awkwardly looked to eachother and Juleka could see Adam and Rose returning.

 

It was very quick. Only difference from their usually rehearsals being that Adrien dragged her on with him as they did a little bow together as the audience cheered. Adrien whispering a quiet ‘thanks’ as they stood next to eachother. People kept glancing to Juleka but she waved them off. The attention was as gratifying as it was terrifying. Keep smiling. They don’t know.

 

And soon they were backstage again, this time though, Juleka managed to sneak away from the group for the most part, edging her way to where she remembered to be the nearest exit. She opened one of the pockets on the jacket that rested around her shoulders.

 

”P-Plagg?” She whispered. Plagg poked his head out.

 

”Juleka you okay?” He rasped. Juleka’s throat felt dry as she pressed her side.

 

”Yes.. but I don’t think that’s an entirely good thing.. says a lot about me..” Juleka mumbled, looking to him and reaching towards him to give him a small scritch behind the ear “I’ll have a good cry and horrible nightmare later. Let’s get you some help, okay?”

 

”Please.. Dont-“ He coughed, and she could hear a low purr emanating from his tiny kitty chest as he nuzzled into her palm in an uncharacteristically sweet way. “Don't put yourself in danger like that, okay? You’re my favorite Panthera Noire.“

 

Juleka’s face fell as a heavy guilt filled her chest, though coupled with a bloom of compassion and sincerity.

 

“O-okay.. I’ll try not to..” She replied.

 

”Couffaine!”

 

Juleka froze, turning to see the prince of the drama club stomping his way over.

 

“Adam! Uh- Did you..” Juleka felt her voice die as Adam approached in front of her, his face serious but not.. particularly angry now, as she fumbled with her ring. “Uhm- is she- are you two.. I mean.. I’ll support- I’m sorry I- uh-“

 

“No.” Adam said with a shallow laugh, brushing a hand through his hair awkwardly “She’s.. we’re not together..”

 

Juleka blinked, “Oh ok..” She said, looking down at her shoes. It was to be expected, Adam kinda.. you know. And yet- “Why didn’t that make me feel better?”

 

She should’ve felt better. She should’ve felt successful. That she won. But she only felt the guilt, and sadness, at the fact that Adam didn’t get to be with who he loved. And he loved Rose. Just as much as she did. And Rose didn’t get to be with anybody.

 

Adam laughed weakly, a strained smile stretching across his lips as they both stood awkwardly in front of eachother, he looked like he was gonna cry.

 

“You- you go talk to her. You did good.” He said, strong voice never faltering for a second despite the look in his eyes. “You damn sneak, you kept all those nice improv skills from us. Lila is mad you went off script but, we both kinda screwed up there.”

 

”Ahah.. y-yeah.” Juleka awkwardly nodded, rubbing the back of her neck.

 

”You okay with uh- repeating that whole thing for the rest of the shows?” Adam asked. Juleka blinked.

 

”W-What? Really?” Juleka sputtered.

 

”I mean- I saw Lila literally scribbling it into her notes.. so.. I can’t argue against the script writer.. especially if she’s uh, very very pissed with me..” Adam kicked at the ground awkwardly. Juleka chuffed.

 

”Uh- I’ll see..” Juleka mumbled quietly. Adam nodded.

 

”Cool! Great- then. I’ll be- I’ve got to go talk to my mom now, uh, Rose is looking for you by the way. Outside by the other door.” Adam knocked a thumb over his shoulder to the other side, glancing from his shoes and back up to her. “See you tomorrow.”

 

Juleka gulped, “Right- See you tomorrow then.”

 

”And uh..” Adam didn’t face her as he walked past her to the door. “Sorry, for everything. And um.. thanks.”

 

And so- Adam left. And Juleka found herself thumbing her ring nervously. Wonder what Rose exactly said..

 

”Plagg?” She voiced, asking for the quiet permission.

 

”I’ll be sleeping, I won’t die, just go talk to her, dummy.” Plagg coughed in her pocket. Juleka inhaled- and sighed- slipping through the back away away from the rest of the chattering class- before she found her way to the other fire exit.

 

Opening it up- the Parisian sky had started its descent to dark blues, though still illuminated by the golden hour of the sun and making her hiss from the sudden brightness before her eyes got used to it and she found Rose, sitting on one of the steps- and just staring off.

 

”H-Hey..” Juleka voiced quietly, trying to catch her attention. Rose looked up at her with bright eyes.

 

”Heya!”

 

Juleka let out a soft laugh, though it was more of a huff- as she closed the door behind her and sat down on one of the steps near her. She could cut the awkward tension with a knife, she was sure, or at least, she figured it was tension only she could feel as they watched the sunset.

 

”You look good in that jacket.” Rose complimented 

 

”R-Really?” Juleka blushed.

 

”Yeah! Remind’s me of Howl” Rose grinned 

 

”Oh, haha.” Juleka awkwardly smiled.

 

The back of the theatre was far less luxurious than the inside was, as if the inside was luxurious at all. There was broken glass bottles, a ragged metal fence a little ways over there- and cracked concrete steps with reeds growing through them- and yet it was peaceful. The soft rustling of the weeds being the only sounds between the two.

 

”It’s opening night, so they filmed everything, did you know that?”

 

”O-Oh?” Juleka squeaked. Rose nodded, fiddling with part of her dress. Maybe it was a trick of the eye but maybe there was a soft dusting of pink going across the blonde’s cheeks.

 

”S-So- I uh- saw what you did, at the end..” Rose said quietly, “You.. fought against an akuma for me. You..”

 

Juleka saw Rose raise a hand towards Juleka’s side and Juleka felt her eyes soften at her before they adverted away.

 

”Sorry..” She mumbled.

 

”No don’t apologize! I- I shouldn’t have- I mean- I don’t know else what either of us could’ve done..” Rose said, with a small smile, waving an arm “I’m glad things worked out though! I didn’t know you knew how to sword fight! Or improv! That was awesome!”

 

”Ahah, yeah, I um.. yeah..” Juleka’s voice died on her lips. Rose’s smile fell a little as the silence returned. Juleka glanced back at her when she could feel Rose scoot towards her a little.

 

“I’m sorry.” Juleka managed to whisper, “That I kissed you..”

 

There was no response, just Rose staring out in peaceful silence, but the goth continued to hopelessly speak, taking the hat off of her head to squeeze and fiddle with.

 

“But I don’t regret it necessarily? I mean I do- I think I shouldn’t have done anything- but I also- I don’t know.. I do love you..” Juleka admitted, her voice desperately trying to not crack. She failed. And felt her hands began to shake and her eyes sting with tears. “I’ve loved you for.. so long. Longer than I thought I have. You’ve made me- uh-  me-  in so many ways. And I strive to be the me you somehow view me to be. One that’s worth your time.. and.. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, Rose.”

 

She let out a breath, her throat dry as she somehow continued.

 

“..but I know you love someone. I shouldn’t- I shouldn’t  have tried to take that from you.” Juleka said “You’re my best friend first, I should’ve been supportive no matter how I felt.. I acted.. I..”

 

She inhaled deeply, turning to look at Rose with a sad smile. Trying to figure out that expression on the blonde’s face.

 

“..I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have taken your kiss from you either.. and I know you hoped for someone not m-me..you’ve.. um.. you..” She couldn’t help but say again, wiping away a tear as she nervously adjusted the jacket that hung around her shoulders. She wasn’t sure what to do. So she acted on her feelings of fear. And decided to run. 

 

Juleka began to stand up hastily, planning to walk back inside- maybe cry for a few hours- only for her wrist to be caught by Rose’s delicate hand, pulling her back down.

 

Juleka blinked with surprise, as Rose turned to look up at her. Gentle blue eyes flooding through Juleka’s dark copper. Juleka found herself flooded in Rose’s gaze as the girl caressed her soft pink cheek.

 

“You love me?” Rose asked quietly. Juleka brokenly laughed, tucking her bangs behind her ear and nodded.

 

”It’s because..” Panthera said, eyelashes fluttering a little as she barely thought about what she was saying, as her right hand fell to Rose’s and gave it a gentle squeeze “..I love you, darling. In more ways this alleycat’s sugary words can describe. You truly are, the sunbeams, in my life.”

 

“Yeah.. uh, I do.” Juleka said, voice cracking a little as she tried to avoid eye contact with her. I’m so lucky Miraculous Cure woke her up before I could see whether or not I did. Or- did it? No- I can’t think of that- there’s no way that worked.. “Stupid right?

 

Juleka let the air of the deafening silence sink in as Rose’s eyes widened with thought.

 

”Oh.” Rose’s voice was soft, almost, shaking. No doubt from shock.. and discomfort. “For how long?”

 

”Years.” Juleka answered awkwardly, fidgeting with her ring. God she felt awkward. So awkward. Super awkward. She wanted the world to swallow her at this moment. She praying to god- or- Plagg- that it would.

 

”Years.. wow.” Rose whistled, eyes wide and twinkling a little as they stared at the darkening sky. “W-Wow.”

 

Juleka let out a broken laugh, trying to not look at her as planted the hat back on her head and she tugged her shaking hands to herself. Just say you hate me already, would you? I don’t want to keep hoping and then dying like this. Jeez how many of these pauses will it take to murder her?

 

”So.. what Adam was going on about was..”

 

”You as well.. he um.. we both knew we liked you, and he got a little...” Juleka cringed, unsure how to describe him, especially if Adam and her were on nice terms-

 

“Jerk-y?” Rose suggested. Juleka chuckled weakly, like her heart wasn’t being twisted like a knife as she drummed her fingers on her knees.

 

”Haha! Yep! Ding ding..” Juleka nodded, trying to sound enthusiastic but the dread in her voice was not subtle. Her shoulders dropped as her eyebrows knitted together. “Yeah.. that’s.. correct”

 

”Oh Juleka you should’ve told me..” Rose said softly, but Juleka didn’t want to see her expression.

 

”And potentially ruin our friendship? I couldn’t..” Juleka bristled, staring down at the broken concrete and picking at the weeds beneath her sneakers. “I was.. scared.. and..”

 

Juleka’s eyes narrowed even more so with guilt.

 

“I thought- knew.. you liked Panthera Noire.. she’s better than me after all..” Juleka muttered, hand shaking as she fumbled with the ring around her finger. “So when you turned her down- I just knew I couldn’t compete..”

 

Rose blinked, tilting her head a little confusedly “P-Panthera? How’d..”

 

“Well- you talked about her a lot- and- well- S-she.. she’s confident, she’s charming, she’s practically a prince, she’s beautiful.. she’s everything..” Juleka felt her throat close a moment, before she gulped and collected her words “..that I’m not.. I’m just.. me.. and even so..”

 

I don’t deserve to be loved by you.. She thought, those words on the tip of her tongue.

 

“..I did love Panthera-“ Rose admitted, face softening as a small blush went across her cheeks “I mean- She was my second love after all, she’s who made me realize I liked and have previously liked girls to be honest..”

 

Yep, that was right.. she remembered that day and remembering being so happy. So hopeful. And then everything.. went to shit..

 

”But Juleka..” Rose’s voice returned her back to reality as she looked down at Rose who was fumbling with the end of her dress nervously, with an expression Juleka didn’t fully recognize as her back was faced towards her “Even though she’s all of those things, and I got to know her, and become her friend— you’re my first. She made me realize it, sure- but it was always you.”

 

Juleka blinked in confusion, jaw falling a little “W-what?”

 

Rose wiped away at some tears she didn’t realize she had she’d, smiling warmly like the sun light itself broke through the night itself to glow right in front of her. Her eyes were sparkling. Dreamy. L-lovestruck. And Juleka’s felt her cheeks heat as she felt a rush of feelings go through her chest.

 

She isn’t going to say it, she can’t. Could she? Will she? Does she-

 

Juleka’s heart was pounding through her ears as her throat dried like sandpaper. If Juleka was some type of machine she’d definitely be overheating or the gears were breaking down in some way. Eyes widened with disbelief because- because- if she heard thst wrong- if she got her hopes up again- 

 

How? When? Why? SERIOUSLY WHY? Her mind screamed as she couldn’t find herself to move, just completely frozen solid as she stared wide eyed as Rose. How can she look at me like that? Like I hung up the stars? Like I mean something so much to her? When I know I’m nothing-

 

“It’s you, you’re the one my heart belongs to.” Rose said, as if her sweet words weren’t practically thundering through Juleka’s entire being and soul. “I love you, Juleka.”

 

Juleka was sure she was trying to make a sound. But nothing came out of her slack jawed mouth as she stared as Rose who’s face was unmistakably covered in a gentle pink dusty blush, staring like she would with hearts in her eyes if she was talking about her crush except she was staring right at her.

 

”I- I mean, I only kinda realized sorta after Princess Fragrance? But I feel like it could explain a lot about me too before that- so I don’t really know when it happened- but that’s my best idea of when I realized realized but overall you’re just- you’re incredible. You’re the kindest and most amazing and strongest person I know I just-“ Rose babbled, smiling up at her widely, eyes shining “I adore you. And.. I.. if it’s okay with you- I want to be more than just friends?”

 

”I-“ Juleka had no words. She could’t help but doubt but there was the answer right in front of her. Smashing years of certainty for rejection, doubts, fears, a literal rejection- Oh my god I’M the crush! I got turned down for myself! WHAT THE FUCK!?

 

“J-Jules?” Rose tilted her head to the side nervously. Searching for a reaction, or, or a response. Juleka gulped down as she began to frantically speak- her hands flapping around, nervous, and unsure what to do before she began to both sign and talk as her mind was in literal shambles.

 

”I- A-Are you sure? I mean I’d love that but you’re just so you- and you know you- you’re incredible and I- I’m far from- and I kinda- I could hurt you- or- I could do something wrong and ruin everything- or-“ Juleka squabbled for perhaps reason, there was no way Rose could actually- but she just said- but-

 

“Do you.. not want to? It’s okay-“ Rose said gently, standing up a little nervously. Juleka jumped to her feet.

 

”I-I’M IN LOVE WITH YOU! I DO WANT TO DATE YOU I’VE ALWAYS WANTED TO!” Juleka blurted out, like it was exploding from her chest like fireworks. She slapped a hand over her mouth and began to stifle a wheezing sound beneath it as her face bloomed a bright red. Heart thumping. She loves me.. “You’re amazing, Rose.. you shine brighter than the sun and.. I’d love to date y-you.. I’m just afraid of not.. being enough f-for you..”

 

Rose’s expression softened, and Juleka blinked as she felt a small droplet of water hit her head. The two looked up to see some rolling rain clouds begin to rumble their way across the night sky. Juleka immediately without thinking pulled Rose close to her, arms wrapped around her waist so she could shield her from the rain- before her face warmed again as she stumbled backwards against the wall with Rose looked up at her.

 

Rose let out a soft chuckle, her lips curling into the widest smile Juleka had ever seen. And her heart leapt to her throat as the blonde plucked the hat off of Juleka’s head and put it on her own.

 

”So yes then?” Rose asked for careful confirmation. Juleka felt her voice stall in her throat as her face bloomed with red, and yet despite the cold of the ever approaching rainfall- she’d never felt so warm.

 

Juleka didn’t realize she was crying until Rose wiped her thumb over her cheek and muttered something about her worry for Juleka’s tears. She thought it was the rain. The blonde didn’t look impatient for her answer, but Juleka herself wanted to to speak-

 

Nothing seemed real. And for a while as the two stood so close, Rose practically hugging her around the waist as the rain sent rare kisses on their arms and faces as they tried to keep under the very short awning, nothing else existed. Juleka softly leaned her head down on the top of Rose’s, like that would hide her soft blush.

 

“I- I’d say so- yes, I’d, I wanna date you-“ Juleka breathed softly, “I’ve wanted to date you f-for.. a.. a long time and- I- I’ve wanted to tell you how much I-I love you and-“ Juleka’s arms shook around her as she held Rose “-I- I never wanted to- to uh..”

 

Rose lifted up a hand and Juleka froze as she felt it caress her face. Her eyes widened and she found herself nuzzling into Rose’s palm like a lost kitten. If she was slightly purring, neither said anything about it as Rose softly petted through Juleka’s soft raven hair- voice as soft as the rain around them.

 

”Shh, it’s okay.. Juleka..” Rose said, Juleka was lucky Rose was holding onto her, or she was definitely going to float away, or sink to the ground in a pile of fluff and blush “..You’re perfect, you’re everything to me.”

 

”I love you.” Juleka whispered, still as quiet as she was before, like it was a secret between them as she hugged Rose tightly. Rose let out a soft chuckle as she leaned her head down a little before grinning with eyes that said warmth.

 

”I love you too.” She responded and it sent butterflies fluttering deep within Juleka’s chest. Rose rubbed her thumb carefully on Juleka’s cheek, suddenly nervous as her cheeks became even more pink “Can I...? We did on stage but..”

 

Juleka nodded shakily, smiling the biggest she ever had in her entire life- as the two shared a soft kiss outside the theatre. The rain ignored, besides the soft puttering sounds against the awning above them. Soft giggles being the only sound they care about as their embrace and slightly sprinkled on kept them warm.

 

It wasn’t any Fairytale Happy Ending. It was’t even an ending. Because hopefully, this was only the beginning. And when her nervous heart asked: Are we loved? Juleka could say.. 

 

Yes. 

 

 

Notes:

For the people who didn’t enjoy Adam, I’m sorry you had to deal with him so long. There were probably better ways I could’ve written him or I could’ve just not written him entirely. It I still hope you enjoyed this arc regardless!

I’m very excited to write the rest of season 2!

And

You know
THAT HAPPENED-

I hope that this made up for the last two chapters. Two kisses for two cliffhangers. I hope you guys liked that! ^^

Chapter 50: The Great Guardian

Summary:

Sorry I was gone for a while! I was working on other fics and I felt like last chapter was a nice place to plant a small hiatus after tiring myself out a little while working on those last two chapters.
Hope you enjoy!

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Juleka drank every millisecond of it all in.

 

It was not unlike the moment on stage, but now she knew. Now, she felt, and she felt like every bone in her body was melting as she memorized every single bit of it to her memory.

 

The way Rose breathed, how her hands combed through her hair, and the soft sharp inhale with every moment they pulled away into a cold eternity before they pulled close again. Warmth pooled through every fiber in her being. 

 

Best make out ever, Juleka would confirm. 10/10. Would do again. Getting stabbed was worth it.

 

“Juleka” Rose whispered, never rushed like some would do. Never quick off her tongue, to get it over with- a simple call of the name was never deemed too important even to the mightiest hero like Ladybug.

 

Even for Ladybug- It would be said without reason and only after would the red clad hero’s virtues be cheered. Names meant nothing. What was attached to it did.

 

But Rose said it with such a vindicated love, taking her time with each syllable- ‘Ju-le-ka’- the way it made her heart soar was incredible and wicked and unfathomably hard and almost impossible to describe...

 

And then Juleka woke up. She groaned with pain as the light of her window bounced into her eyes and the heavy feeling of two cats- one definitely larger than the other- on her chest and the ache of exhaustion still fresh in her mind weighed down on her.

 

“Oh that was all just a dream okay..” Juleka mumbled, rubbing her eyes and fell backwards against her bed. She closed her eyes.

 

There were a few moments where she wanted to retreat back to sleep before she heard the familiar chime of sound that she had memorized since the moment it was put on her phone-

 

“FUCK THAT WAS REAL WAIT HOLY SHIT-“ Juleka shot back up. SHE WAS DATING ROSE- SHE WAS DATING ROSE- OH MY GOD- She fumbled for her phone, finding-

 

Oh like five hundred from Ladybug and Rose cool cool cool she hasn't checked that at all ever since she crashed on her bed after her encounter with Him.. what happened right after the play you may ask? Let's rewind a bit..

 

...

 

“Juleka” Rose whispered, never rushed like some would do. Never quick off her tongue, to get it over with- a simple call of the name was never deemed too important even to the mightiest hero like Ladybug.

 

For her- It would be said without reason and only after would the red clad hero’s virtues be cheered. But Rose said it with such a vindicated love, taking her time with each syllable- ‘Ju-le-ka’- the way it made her heart soar was incredible and wicked and unfathomably hard and almost impossible to describe...

 

I love you  echoed freely in Juleka's mind like a thunderous drum, it soaked deep within every fiber of her being and soul and she could hear it reverberate through her racing heart.

 

"Jules" Rose's came again, rubbing a thumb over Juleka's cheek and parting her hair with a chuckle. "You're falling"

 

"huwah-" Juleka rasped, before remembering what feelings in her legs felt like again and looked down to find her body, having leaned back against the wall behind her, had began to slowly sink down, knees buckles limply as if she had started literally melting in place. "oh, whoops."

 

Rose giggled, sending butterflies up Juleka's throat, "Silly,"

 

"Y- your silly..? I hope?" Juleka quietly asked. Rose blinked before smiling warmly and lifting Juleka's face up to press another kiss to her forehead before answering;

 

"Of course," Rose said warmly, "I'd never trade you for any other silly in the world,"

 

Juleka couldn't stifle the soft bark of laughter she let out, which was soon followed by a few sniffles.

 

"Shit that shouldn't make me so emotional," She muttered, as she rubbed her eyes hastily for tears she had felt already begin to feel sting..

 

"Oh Jules" Rose softly whispered.

 

"I love you lots," Juleka said breathlessly, "I love you so, so much."

 

"I love you too." Rose said, caressing her cheek to wipe away a tear. Juleka inhaled sharply, and felt herself immediately fall against her palm, melting in the warmth. It felt like Rose was holding her heart in her hand. Juleka couldn't hold it in anymore, just falling apart once more in Rose's arms.

 

"So so so much.." She mumbled without reason, nuzzling into Rose's shoulder in a tight hug.

 

"I know, Jules. You are loved, you are so so loved.." Rose whispered into her ear, Juleka couldn't help the shaking in her hands, straightening herself as her voice failed her to speak.

 

"I just, you, just, we..." Juleka rasped, middle and ring finger bent down with her other fingers pointed upwards, shaking near their faces. "F- For a long time.. I.."

 

"I love you too, Jules. I'll say it as many times as you need. You're here now. And you are loved," Rose said, holding her by the face, her voice quieting once more to become a secret for only the world between them to hear, "You are loved."

 

Juleka smiled warmly, her hear felt full. I- I am loved. I am loved. She began to lean in close for another kiss before the door next them suddenly slammed open.

 

"JULEKA, ROSE, WHERE DID YOU GO- WAH!-" Marinette flew outside, falling down the stairs and rolling into a clutzed up ball. Juleka and Rose blinked, unsure whether to detatch from eachother or pull away from the other. Alya peaked her own head outside as she heard Marinette crash.

 

"Marinette, are you okay, girl!?" Alya scrambled down the stairs to help her up. Juleka's eyebrows furrowed. Maybe if we stand, super still, they won't notice us and go away so we can makeout again.

 

"Hey guys I heard a crash! WOah dudes that looked like it hurt!" Nino popped his head out the door too, followed by Adrien, and then Chloe, and then- god damn it. Cool, entire class was here. SON OF A BITCH.

 

Alix turned a little to look at Juleka in the eye, arms woven into Rose's hair and their faces inches apart.

 

"Oh hey you two-" She greeted, looking away before spinning around again with widened eyes "OH HEY- WOAH-"

 

Juleka groaned with embarrassment, covering her face with her hands as her face bloomed a bright red. There was a bunch of screaming around her and she hid in Rose's shoulder, overcome with nervousness. UGHHHHHHHHHH-

 

"Hi!" Rose said happily. -HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-

 

"When- oh are you two in the middle offff something?" -HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-

 

Juleka lifted up her head, glaring. "Yes. Yes we were."

 

"Oh! OH HAHa! You two! Hey! You two um, in a um" Marinette struggled with her words as she stared at the two. "You twoooooo NEED PRIVACY! SORRY FOR INTERUPTING YOU TWO! IN GUYS- GET BACK INSIDE! HAPPY MARRIAGE! I MEAN- NOT MARRI- I MEAN-"

 

"Marinette- Marinette we're done, just, please stop talking" Juleka mumbled, pinching the space between her eyes, extremely embarrassed.

 

This was a nightmare after such a pleasant dream. She blinked, looking down with a little smile as she felt Rose softly readjusting her coat. Rose, quick as you will, pressed a little kiss to her cheek as she pulled the hair from her face.

 

"Me and Jules are girlfriends now!" Rose exclaimed, ohmigosh they were girlfriends, "Everyone cool with that?"

 

Juleka flushed deeper as she watched basically their entire class share their own nods and 'uh-huhs'. So much for taking their time she supposed. She took Rose by the hand and squeezed it.

 

"C- Can they go now?" She whispered shyly into Rose's ear. The blonde perked up, quickly nodding and waving a hand at the others.

 

"Ok ok ok! Go Now we need to- talk more! Go go go go!" Rose squeaked. The class awkwardly shuffled away, scrambling on the inside like a bunch of animals getting the broom. The door shut with a loud slam that made Juleka's heart jump before she rested her chin on Rose's head with a pout. Her hair tickling her a tad.

 

"That was so embarrassing.. why did they have to burst in like that..?" Juleka whined complainingly, she wouldn't be able to look them all in the eye after this. Especially Marinette's.

 

"Uh, maybe cause you got stabbed?" Rose tilted her head a bit to look up at her, a small little smile drifted on her face. It was cute but it made her confused.

 

"What's that got to do with it?" Juleka asked. It was over? The akuma was over. Why worry more about her, she was fine now.

 

"Cause... they... care about you?" There was a deep concern laced in Rose's tone. Meanwhile Juleka was doing mental backflips to try and get where Rose was, but she was all still semi distracted to how warm Rose's presence was and she wanted stay there longer instead of thinking. About normal things. Which were not gay thoughts.

 

"Ohhh" Juleka said. She was not convinced. Her lips pursed together. "Cool"

 

"Jules"

 

"I'm really not popular in the class it didn't come to mind."  Juleka deadpanned. Rose's face twisted into a pout. Oh no. Not that pout. Not the one she couldn't say no to. How dare she. Have... to... resist... damn it!

 

"We're going back inside right now! You need to talk to our class and get how much they care about you!" Rose exclaimed, grabbing Juleka's arm and dragging the taller goth girl off, practically kicking down the door. It was warmer than outside but that didn't help.

 

No she didn't wanna do this. Please, can they go back to peaceful kissing, reality sucks. World hard and cold. Rose was soft and warm. Juleka's eyebrows knitted together, but the feeling of Rose holding her arm so tightly, and the determination filled with love in her eyes made the horrors of barely an hour ago feel like years had gone by. Though it didn't promise tomorrow or when the fact she almost Died settled in.

 

"Rose nooooooo" Juleka whined. 

 

"Nope! " Rose exclaimed, rushing them inside "We are- talking... to... oh"

 

They stopped in their tracks as a loud commotion was heard further ahead. Juleka's face fell for a moment, and she pulled ahead of Rose, twisting her arm around so she could better hold the girl's hand.

 

They quickly ran to the location of noise, neither the other- more public door inside the theatre's backstage- and Juleka saw her Mom and Brother..

 

"Ma?" She sputtered. Where was Ms Bustier? Literally the one time adult supervision was needed the teacher had suddenly disappeared. 

 

"OI OUT OF MAH WAY GIT- GIT- SHOW ME WHERE THAT LIL' LAND LUBBERIN' GOBSHITE BADGER HOLE LITTLE- Jules!" Anarka was snarling and barking like a mad hound before her eyes set on the young goth. Juleka had to let go of Rose's hand, lest she wanted her poor girlfriend to get toppled over like her as her mother came barreling over. "OH JULES THERE YA ARE MY LITTLE PIRATE YOU'RE OKAY!"

 

"Wait this lady is actually your mom?! I thought she was a crazy woman I had no idea what she was saying-" Sabrina began. Lila waved awkwardly.

 

"Hi Miss Couffaine."

 

"Hi Lila- Juleka we were so worried.." Anarka said pleasantly, while squeezing the life out of her daughter. Juleka looked around. Poor Marinette was laying on the ground getting the equivalent of CPR by Alya, from what Juleka could see the poor hero in disguise had opened the door for her mom and just immediately trampled. Sabrina was looking shyly at Anarka- which Juleka deducted to be because of her dad- and the class was awkwardly standing there as- ah shit-

 

"M- Ma- yer' squeezing too tight- can't breathe" Juleka wheezed. She was dropped immediately.

 

"AH! Sorry, 'dere." Her mom said, patting her on the head before her targets turned. "ROSE"

 

"HI MS ANARKA- OH NO-" Rose was the next victim.

 

"Juleka!" Luka pulled her into another hug. He was holding her so tight and close it was like he was trying to fuse with her. To make sure she didn't go away. Juleka felt her body droop and she could feel his heart racing through his chest.

 

She didn't have his gift. She didn't have this special little magic he did. This ability to hear. Perhaps she could see more than what was possible, but that was something she didn't have the ability to confirm. 

 

But he had heard it all, she knew it.

 

"It was like a shriek of a violin's last breath- I thought we lost you- I realized it was real too late-" His hissed. She felt tears in her jacket before he pulled away. It made Juleka's face fall. Then she remembered where she was and patted him on the back.

 

"Sorry Lu'" Juleka said quietly. "I'll be more careful next time."

 

She yelped, getting squeezed tighter that Juleka realized in little sister that Luka was basically trying to kill her at this point in a big brother way.

 

"YOU BETTER BE YOU LITTLE SHI-"

 

"LEMME GO ASS"

 

"Alright you two- thats- enough-" Anarka ripped Juleka and Luka apart with an exhausted Mom expression. Juleka heard a low gasp inside her pocket. Shit- forgot about Plagg. "I think we're goin' home now."

 

"What about the after party?" Kim asked.

 

"Kim, do you legitimately think we should have an after party after what happened?" Max asked, his eye twitching.

 

"I mean, I brought napkins with Adam's face printed on it." Kim deadpanned, pulling them out of no where. "Where did he even go."

 

"Escaped before Juleka's mom found him apparently." Chloe said.

 

"Well lemme find him I'm about to beat his Daughter Stabbin As-"

 

Juleka began walking backwards, but immediately was caught by her mother's traveling eye.

 

"He's outside." She said, and then immediately turned to continue walking as Anarka dropped Rose let out a roar and turned back towards the door she entered in. The class shrieked and ran after the mad woman. However, one more blockade hit her path. And by one she meant two.

 

"Juleka where are you going?" Rose asked. Juleka's jaw fell a little.

 

Oh wow.

 

She has never so quickly felt terrible again.

 

Juleka froze immediately and forgot how to lie in Rose's eyes. This was her girlfriend. Should she know about Panthera? No. No she shouldn't. But she should! But she can't. Oh god Panthera. Princess Prom. Oh shit. Oh no. Fuck. Wait. Words. She forgot words. How do people start sentences.

 

"uh"

 

Yes, totally. Oh death and god she was so so so screwed.

 

"I uh, gotta, gay- go. I uh gotta go- just remembered that uh- cat sick- look over there- BYE-"  Juleka shouted, and proceeded to run through them, giving Rose a little forehead kiss, and then out the door. Hopefully Luka got the message. Man she did not deserve him, she should steal some Jagged Merch for him.

 

Oh yeah.

 

Running.

 

Juleka sprinted out onto the streets. Man she must've looked weird, in full costume. It was cold, completely night time now, and she bet some people passing by her thought she was an akuma or something but no time to complain nor think about it as she pulled Plagg out of her pocket, letting him rest in her palm gingerly.

 

"You still alive from that, buddy?" She asked.

 

"AGH- NO!" Plagg wheezed "I have never been squeezed between so many fORCES before! That was suffocating! Camembert Jules! I demand for Camembert!"

 

"I'll get you it I'll get you it! Let's make you feel better first!" Juleka hissed before yelping as she slammed right into a small figure, she was sent spinning forward, about to crash right into the ground. She pulled Plagg close protectively but squeaked when she felt something yank her back, and she turned to see a hand grabbing it, keeping her from falling.

 

Juleka blinked widely at the old man wearing the brightest Hawaiian shirt she'd ever seen smiling serenely at her.

 

"Good evening ma'am, I was hoping for an autograph from you after that wonderful performance tonight." He said politely. Juleka paled.

 

"U- I- uhm- I'm sorry but um- I've got pl-places to be.. uh.." Her heart sank more as the sound of shouting down the road reached her ears.

 

"JULES! JULES WHERE'D YOU RUN OFF TO!?"

 

Oh fuck. She needed to go, but to where? And god damn this guy had a grip!

 

"Mm yes, to heal your little cat, I presume? Ms..." She yelped, seeing he was suddenly in front of her and curling open her tight fingers hiding Plagg's tiny black form. Juleka's jaw slacked with fear, she had, no idea what to say before he curled her fingers back in, tapping the ring on her finger. "...Panthera Noire?"

 

"U- Uh.." Juleka began, stumbling backwards.

 

"How about we talk in my healing shop? Once I help Plagg" he offered. Juleka bit the inside of her cheek, head spinning backwards and then to him. She silently nodded and they scurried off through the rain.

 

...

 

It took about a good 10 minutes to go through Rose's messages and then another three to decide what to type.

 

Juleka: hey

 

Perfect start!

 

Rose<3: HI

Rose<3: HELLO

Rose<3: hi

Rose<3: HI

Rose<3: are you ok how have you been you mustve been resting im so sorry that was so many messages i was jut

Rose<3: just so worried abou tyou and i just youknowlike wiouldnt like my girlfriend to just kinda die agter she almost dieed and

Rose<3: MY GOODNESS SO MANY TYPOS

 

Juleka gave a loose laugh, her face heated. What could she say? Her lips pursed together as she began to type.

 

Juleka: I'm okay, love

Rose<3: asifdshafdshfdjkfjdskaf ds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rose<3: you're sure right?? I mean i can see why you'd skip school today but

Rose<3: no pain right? all gone?

Juleka: I'm okay

 

She imagined Rose's soft cute face sighing with relief.

 

Juleka: aren't you in class?

Rose<3: yeah but

Rose<3: Juleka >:/

Juleka: rose you have work

Rose<3: JULEKA IS MORE IMPORTANT TO WORK

Rose<3: oh ms mendeleiev saw me glaring intensly at my phone

Juleka: lol

Rose<3: I'LL TEXT YOU DURING LUNCH I LOVE YOU!

 

Juleka smiled. She loves me she loves me she loves me she loves me she loves me she loves me she loves me she loves me she loves me she loves me she loves me she loves me she loves me she loves me..

 

She then decided to go forth her Other ender of messages. Juleka finished reading the last of Ladybug's messages after a long time with a sigh. So much worry and dread.. all cause of her.

 

"Mmooooaaw"

 

She looked down, humming as she petted the larger cat on her lap. This large, fat tabby. And by god was he fat. It was startling. Minou was plaid beneath him, nipping and hissing as he tried to swat and the older cat's nose who had a permanent soft smile on his feline face.

 

"You're a funny little guy, I have no idea who you are." Juleka muttered out loud, surprised how loud the purring of the cat was. She had somehow crashed for an entire day, and this fat guy found her body as a pillow.

 

"Ah Jules! You're awake!" Juleka looked up as her mom peaked a head in. "Breakfast is up"

 

"Oh, okay, um, I can't get up"

 

"Ah, yeah, Parrot 'as been keeping an eye on ya." Anarka said. Juleka blinked. She looked down and back at her mom, pointing at the cat.

 

"Is this Parrot?"

 

"Aye" Anarka replied.

 

"What the hell did you feed him while I was out?" Juleka hissed through her teeth in a mortified tone. Parrot just let out another long drawled meow and began nuzzling closer, crushing Minou more as the smaller kitten fruitlessly fought to get out from beneath the flabs of fluffy fat.

 

"Hm? Oh no he's been around for a while, I was throw like a 'and full of cat food outside the Liberty to keep 'em satisfied cause you know how dey like ta swarm ye? And I do it at least a few times a day but Parrot 'ere just always come for each meal, an' got super big. So yesterday I just took him in." Anarka walked over and heaved him up into her arms, freeing Juleka and holding the cat like a baby.

 

Juleka let out a wheeze of fresh air and she was sure Minou did too. Poor guy. Where's Plagg? Did she smush him again?

 

"Ma you need to establish I diet for him he's so fat.." Juleka groaned.

 

"I know but look at him!" Anarka squealed, "With his fat little cheeks, lil' fuzzy face. Okay yeah he's heavy as hell ah was actually search up stuff that might help. Anyhoo, you've been excused from school fer' today."

 

Juleka blinked. "Why?"

 

Anarka squinted at her, "Jules ya got stabbed two days ago. Ah course ya need a bloody day!"

 

"I already slept through the weekend I'm good!" Juleka exclaimed, finally sitting up. Minou skittered off her lap, probably done with her for the day after no doubt being crushed by her for an entire night.

 

"Oi, only the captain can decide when me little pirates can go ashore and the captain is me!" Parrot began to climb, somehow, onto Anarka's shoulders, leaving her arms free to stubbornly cross. Her face suddenly went soft. "Jules.. I'm worried about you. You went through somethin' real bad again, real bad."

 

Her mom sat down at the foot of her bed, and Juleka instinctually pulled her knees in, trying to close herself in. Perhaps everything was just now settling in. But she had to be okay right? She was okay yester- or well- two days ago. Right? No? But..

 

"I thought I lost you, so rest not because ya want it, but because ya need it. It's a lot to go through and I didn't- I didn't want you to go through that again.. so let yourself be taken care of today? Please? Because there's people who love you.. and we don' want to see ya suffer.." Anarka put a hand on her knee and Juleka looked up at her and quietly nodded. Anarka hummed, "I made breakfast, I think ya should take a shower real quick though! Ya smell like an oily fish pulled up from a swamp, dear!"

 

Juleka barked out a laugh as she watched her mom saunter out. Parrot meowed at her from upon the woman's shoulders before he too disappeared out the door.

 

She inhaled, rubbing the space between her eyes.

 

Juleka was so tired.

 

"Hey Kitten"

 

She looked up weakly at Plagg who flew over her face. Juleka weakly smiled.

 

"Plagg, good to see you better." Juleka said happily, he landed on her hand. She could feel him rumbling and realized he was purring. He then looked up at her with big green eyes, they looked sad.

 

"You're scared, Kitten."

 

Her mouth felt dry.

 

"I am." She quietly admitted, smiling weakly as the bags under her eyes felt heavier. "But I'm used to it."

 

...

 

Clink

 

The old man set his teapot down with a smile. Juleka had finally shed her pirate jacket as she was offered a small green cup of tea. It was still steaming but she didn't plan on actually drinking any of it. Her distrust of this man was through the roof, even as he did some, weird ass, energy, ritual, thing.

 

The moment Plagg opened his eyes though he let out the most horrifying burp, and she was glad she wasn't holding any tea cause Plagg went flying upwards and dive bombing into her arms, sending her almost knocking backwards.

 

"Oof!" She yelped.

 

"I'M BAAAACK IN ACTIOON!" Plagg cheered, flying around her face with excitement. "DEAR CAMEMBERT DID THAT SUCK! But I'm back up an at em! I'm reering to go! I'm-"

 

He turned to see the old man staring at him tiredly.

 

"Probably slightly in trouble, heyy!" Plagg smiled widely, he flew around to the man's side and pointed at him with a tiny paw. "Juleka! I'd like to introduce you to Master Fu, the last Guardian of the Miraculous!"

 

The old man gave a small curt nod, "It is wonderful to officially meet you, Ms Juleka Couffaine."

 

Juleka's eyes narrowed for a moment before widening.

 

"You were the one during Stone Heart." She quietly realized in a hushed whisper. "How.."

 

Fu chuckled, waving a hand and with the softest smoothest slight of hand she'd ever seen, saw a piece of camembert appear in his aged, wrinkled hands.

 

"I am quite skilled in my craft" He replied. Juleka remained silent, observing this man with deep intent. "I was not planning to meet either of you just yet, simply observing you both was a prime objective."

 

Juleka's fists clenched at her sides, she sucked in an nervous breath. Her mind was slowing down from what happened and sitting here now, she tried to focus on her teacup and not the stab wound and the agony she had experienced Less than An Hour ago.

 

"What are the Guardians of the Miraculous?" She finally asked. Fu nodded, rubbing his chin.

 

"The Order of The Guardians is.. or.. was.. responsible for distributing and protecting the Miraculous." He replied calmly. "It was destroyed many years ago.. by the hand of a fool and one mistake He made, which resulted in the loss of the Butterfly and the Peacock Miraculous."

 

Juleka let that go through her mind. She watched his posture slack, his eyes narrow with a dark grief, his looking away from her gaze and harsher gripping of a small turtle bracelet on his thin boney wrist and before she could speak a sudden blur of green flew in front of her face. She was taken aback by a pair of two golden eyes and big grin.

 

"Hello there! I'm Wayzz! Master Fu's Kwami of the turtle! It's wonderful to meet you in person Miss Juleka!" He greeted happily. Juleka was not used to seeing any kwami besides Plagg but she could see the similarities.

 

"Oh. Um- yes. Hi." She thinly said.

 

"Protection is what he's all obsessed about, he's boring" Plagg remarked sassily. It was good to have him back.

 

"AND I must say-" Wayzz immediately said, giving a sharp annoyed look to Plagg that reminded her of Luka when she sassed him on the not so rare occasion "That your performance tonight was Spectacular! 

 

"Performance?" She parroted in confusion. Then the realization snapped her forward. "You were watching..."

 

"Indeed, that is why I knew Plagg was sick, and confronted you today" Fu said with a serene nod "I would not have in any other situation if you-"

 

"...and you left us all to die?"

 

He blinked up in confusion and Juleka's expression was mixed with fear and anger. That made no sense. That made no sense.

 

"I'm sorry?"

 

"No I'm sorry- cause what I just heard, was, Mr Guardian of the Miraculous sat in an audience, all comfy chair and all that, popcorn maybe I don't know if they sold Popcorn, saw someone he chose with- what I assume was some sort of test of proving or some shit cause now that I think of it who trips twice in front of specific people in a day- get stabbed-" Her nails dug into the table as her hair stood up on end, it was all getting to her. "And you didn't do anything about that you sat there- and it was Luck that saved me- literal luck- Lady Luck- Ladybug-"

 

"Panthera Noire."

 

That made her still and she sat back down after beginning to raise on her feet. He sighed heavily, standing up- short as he was and made his way to this large antique Gramophone. She watched with wide eyes as he pressed on the two jewel eyes of two silver dragons in the center and watched as a slab flipped over with buttons on it. He pressed a few, and watched as it all seemed to Unlock.

 

He finally returned, eyes grim, disappointed almost, and set a small octagonal box between them, opening it. Inside the box, on the top level, there was a gold outline of a flower with five petals, each petal having a pointed tip, and a center. The color outside of the flower was red and each section of the flower she could now see, was made for a Miraculous.

 

There was multiple.

 

A comb, a necklace- and empty spot where she could see was perfect for Master Fu's now turtle like- in her eyes- bracelet would sit-

 

She and Ladybug were not alone and that was in the multiples. She hadn't even stopped to consider Hawkmoth's source of powers. Of course, yes he does have a Miraculous. What was it? Why was it? That meant he had a kwami. Were there evil kwamis? Kwami? Was it like geese and goose? Meese? Does that mean there's a kwami of evil? What?!


She shook her head. The center section was raised above the others, and she noticed the yin-yang symbol, yin having a red outline and yang having a white outline. They were empty, of course they were, cause they were where the ladybug and cat were placed.

 

"The reason I cannot interfere, and the reason I chose you two is because Hawkmoth is after not only me but the miraculouses themselves."

 

"The cat and Ladybug.." Juleka filled in the blanks quietly. He nodded.

 

"As the guardian, I am the keeper of these artifacts, if he were to get his hands on Me? All of Paris or perhaps Humanity itself could be put to ruins." He said grimly. "I did not want to share this with you because of how vital this information is and thus must be kept under the most tightest of wraps."

 

He shook his head.

 

"I shall be honest to say that I did not expect this sort of tenacity from you, strength indeed is an important aspect and so is the ability to love so much." Master Fu continued on, his eyes deeply cutting into her heart, it felt personal, it felt sincere, and that's what it caved a hole in her chest "But ignorance, spite, anger, and your clear lack of control can be the first pebble to the mountain's avalanche.. Panthera Noire.."

 

Juleka hung her head with shame, looking downward. He was... right. She went out to fight an akuma like an idiot, without powers. If she lost? She would've died. Others might've died. The cat miraculous would've been lost.

 

But Plagg, was having none of it.

 

"I know exactly what you're comparing her to Fu and I'm gonna stop you right there." Plagg said, his small chest puffed out as if he was trying to look bigger. "You may try and guilt her down so she 'doesn't make the same mistakes you did' but god damn you Fu not my kitten, not my kitten you son of a-"

 

"Plagg!" Wayzz exclaimed, mortified. Fu was taken aback completely.

 

"She did everything to protect everyone she could and did amazingly!" Plagg shouted over the turtle, his fur puffing up more and more like a little void of anger

 

"Plagg please don't-" Juleka began, but she had no idea what else to say. Her eyes were just wide and her hands were shaking.

 

“And what about her girlfriend, who she took a sword to the gut- IN CIVILLIAN FORM NO LESS- for?!” Plagg grinned wildly. Juleka’s eyes widened as she stared up at the small god cat. “She's the best cat I’ve had in a long time Fu, I’m not loosing her just yet.

 

The old man sighed heavily, rubbed the space between his eyes.

 

"I'm not firing her, Plagg." Fu reassured. "It is clear, you two belong together. But I am saying she needs to be more careful."

 

He looked at her with a focused, aged, and tired stare.

 

"You mustn't let anyone else know who you are, Juleka Couffaine. It is too dangerous and we must not repeat the terrible things that happened to you today." He said softly. Juleka stared at him before her eyes thinned. 

 

"Else?"

 

Fu's expression grew serious again.

 

"I am aware your brother knows. I have my special ways." Fu replied. Juleka's heart skipped a terrified beat. "It is for their safety, but also yours. What if your girlfriend learns and she falls into another akuma? What of then? What of then if your brother gets akumatized?"

 

Juleka felt her blood chill. Her heart began to pound in her ears, sweat rolling down her face and her hands a clammy white.

 

"Secrets are important, this is why you must never know Ladybug's identity, nor must she, know yours." He said, standing up to put the box away. Juleka grimaced, head jerking up at him.

 

"Why can't I know Ladybug's? We're teammates aren't we?" Juleka asked. She knew. She knew. She knew already so why was she not supposed to? Why was she not supposed to in his eyes?

 

"You may not! It is too dangerous do you not see?" Fu said hastily before sighing as he placed the box in it's place. "The same reasons but no doubt at a higher scale.. Hawkmoth wants your miraculouses for one reason that I cannot say.. for it holds unimaginable consequences that.. I won't be able to protect you children from.."

 

Juleka stared off. Distantly. Before staring at him with a cold, tired, glower.

 

"Cause you're an old man?" She drawled. She didn't recognize the voice she took as her own, maybe it was her channeling her inner Panthera, or perhaps just her darker- more greedier self. Juleka had to humbly admit, that did exist. It was hard to not be greedy when your life felt so unfair. "That's afraid to be unable to fix things after breaking them?"

 

He suddenly grew still.

 

"That is quite enough, Miss Couffaine."

 

"Call me Panthera Noire, that's who matters here right?" She purred, leaning forward. The cat hero finally took a sip of that tea. Still hot! How impressive. "I'm the one to protect her here. Ladybug that is. After all, you favor her, don't you?"

 

He turned to her.

 

"I don't believe I understand what you mean" Master Fu said thinnly.

 

"You lied at the start of our time together, multiple times" Panthera Noire said calmly. "Right to my face, that's not what a mentor should do if he is worried about the safety of his little soldiers~ And you said you didn't have plans to meet either of us, but Tikki got sick too, so Marinette had to have met and talked to you.."

 

His eyes went wide and the healing shop was suddenly very, very, very quiet. Juleka smiled thinly.

 

Knight takes King. That's the end of the game.

 

Plagg mouthed the word 'boom' and she gave her little kwami a fist bump.

 

"You won't fire me, because you can't fire me." Juleka said before his mouth could open, a newfound strength in her soul. "But I will be careful, because nothing is more important in this equation is Ladybug, no? I'm just the meatbag that can be brought back whenever, so long as she's safe. If you can't keep her safe, I will, and I'll do it, she doesn't know anyways and she doesn't have to clearly, even if death comes a knocking each time."

 

Fu was silent, staring at her with a observing stare.

 

"..I'm starting to wonder if this was the smartest decision." He admitted.

 

"No. But you made it." Juleka replied, taking another long sip of the tea. She smiled, tiredly and raised the small cup up at him. "Cheers"

 

...

 

Juleka finished breakfast, eh, almost. She ended up having to sit down, and then lay down, and just, not get up. Forever. Minou yawned, his small paws stretching and squeezing in the air before splaying out against the warm ray of sun.

 

Sunbeams were warm. Juleka didn't want to get up. Sunbeams were safe. Sunbeams didn't stab you or hurt you or shove-

 

Juleka hissed, opening up her phone as she heard newly annoying beeps radiating from her device. She was hoping it was Rose but she knew her girlfriend- HOLY SHIT GIRLFRIEND OH MY GOD-'s text sound by heart. It was the only one she made different than any of the default sounds.

 

Edward Elric: I saw you put me on read 

Edward Elric: Panthera

Edward Elric: Panthera respond pls

Edward Elric: Panthera Middle Name Noire I'm worried about you please

Panthers: ok ok

Edward Elric: YOU LIVE

 

Juleka chuckled softly, her eyes sad. Minou trailed his way next to her head, curling close. She sighed. I have to answer more. Give some explanation...

 

Edward Elric: WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN

Panthers: yeah just

Panthers: chilling.

 

Perfect. Great job Panthera Noire. You did good. Best response ever.

 

God I hate living.

 

Edward Elric: Panthera.. about..

Panthers: plagg was sick

Edward Elric: oh

Panthers: yeah,

 

Juleka sighed, there wasn't a response for a long minute. She inhaled thickly before lifting her arm up again as she heard the familiar jingle and checked once more.

 

Edward Elric: did you have to go see Him?

Panthers: Fu?

Panthers: yeah, i did

Panthers: did he say anything to you?

Edward Elric: no? but, i thought you just, 

Edward Elric: i was scared about what happened to you

Edward Elric: at first I thought you just, didn't know the akuma happened. Then there was an akuma yesterday and you weren't there.

Panthers: what

Edward Elric: Me Pigeon you're good

Panthers: ah

Edward Elric: I was just worried kitty

Edward Elric: Are you okay?

 

Juleka paused. 

 

Why was everyone so worried about her today..

 

Panthers: sure thing, partner

Panthers: if I wasn't I'd be quite the

Panthers: clawful

Panthers: purr-tner right?

Edward Elric is typing...

Edward Elric is typing...

Edward Elric is typing...

 

Juleka let out a loose laugh at that, beginning to sit up.

 

She awkwardly looked around, the house was quieter.

 

Panthers: how about a patrol partner

Panthers: plagg and i are feeling better

Panthers: and

 

Do I tell her? She wondered, thumbs faltering over her keyboard. Her eyebrows furrowed. 

 

Edward Elric: ?

Panthers: haha wrote and thinking I had more to say

Panthers: our usual spot?

Edward Elric is typing...

Edward Elric is typing...

Edward Elric is typing...

Edward Elric: sounds good!

 

Juleka sighed quietly, stuffing her phone in her pocket. Standing up too fast, she felt her knees wobble beneath her and her breath was taken away for a moment and he felt her eyes thin.

 

Juleka stared at the blade stabbed into her side. Her eyes widened with horror as Prince heaved with exhaustion, holding his sword with shaking hands around the grip-

 

She shook her head, stumbling back more and yelping as she nearly tripped over Minou and suddenly theatre floorboards turned back into the soft rocking of the ship. Minou purred against her leg. Purr. Purr. Purr. She breathed. She breathed. She breathed.

 

Left.. right.. left.. right..

 

She's okay.

 

She's okay.

 

She's

 

She's okay.

 

It's fine.

 

"julsie.."

 

She's fine.

 

"Plagg!" She hissed. The small black blob swirled around her.

 

"Kitten"

 

She opened her mouth to say something but she faltered. He waited expectantly before she nodded, more sure.

 

She was loved. She was strong.

 

She was Panthera.

 

The words felt right on her tongue as she finished her sentence-

 

"Claws Out."

 

And as her shoes pounded against the ground, sleeveless hoodie replaced by a new leather jacket fluttering behind her as her eyes shined brightly with her catlike scalera, teeth fulled into her wide wild smile- Panthera Noire was back once more, breathing ever still, fighting ever more.

 

She hit the roof top, power seeping deep into her bones and breathing into her lungs and she smiled as she saw that red clad heroine. 

 

"But I will be careful, because nothing is more important in this equation is Ladybug, no? I'm just the meatbag that can be brought back whenever, so long as she's safe. If you can't keep her safe, I will, and I'll do it, she doesn't know anyways and she doesn't have to clearly, even if death comes a knocking each time."

 

And that was a promise, a promise she will always keep, she swears it.

 

And so Panthera did her best smile, mask covering the bags under her eyes and her bright copper flecked eyes glistening with a hope and faith Ladybug would never know, and she spoke-

 

”Hey Partner.”

 

 

Notes:

Holy shit we’re at fifty chapters what the fuck thank you guys and also thank you for waiting, as much as I love them, I stretched myself thin with those last two chapters so I needed a long break from Panthera. So I hope you enjoyed this! New chapters coming soon!

Chapter 51: Julerose

Summary:

Idk how to feel about this chapter

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

"WHAT!?"

 

Panthera cringed as Ladybug stared slack jawed at her. Her shriek was still ringing in the cat hero's ears and she was sure it would continue to for several hours to come. the ladybug hero planted her hands on her hips.

 

"Out of all the ways Plagg gets sick!" Ladybug exclaimed.

 

"You know me Purr-tner." Juleka chided, "Just the Essences of Bad Luck."

 

"Do you know what happened, during the akuma, at least?" Ladybug asked. Juleka inhaled, eyebrows knitting together before smiling.

 

"Saw the Ladyblog, of course, Partner." Panthera said, struggling with each word. Ladybug stared darkly over their glowing Parisian city. Her striking blue eyes sparkled with gold within the light filled night.

 

"I was worried, about you." Marinette whispered, Ladybug stared at her with a serious gaze. "Why didn't you tell me? You could've sent me a text from your normal phone, no?"

 

"I was busy, and I wasn't aware an akuma was happening." Panthera tried to say, "So I wasn't checking my phone."

 

"With what? You had to have seen my notifications, right?" Ladybug stared at her bleakly which made Juleka's stomach tighten. Her heart swirled with a twisting sensation that made her muscles tense and her throat choke on itself.

 

"I'm sorry." Is all she could say with a distant smile. "I'm just, real Unlucky. It's always been like that."

 

They stared at eachother for a moment. It's always been like that.

 

"Besides" Panthera continued, tail flicking around Ladybug. "I've got good reasons to be not checking my phone now~"

 

"What?"

 

"Nothing, but anyways does this new jacket suit me? I'm worried it's hiding my fang-tastic muscles but I kinda dig this new look~ New beginnings, no?"

 

"Panthera what do you mean you have good reasons? Panthera!" Panthera just laughed at her in response, Ladybug sighed, plopping down onto the edge of the building they were standing on. “You’re lucky you’re so funny, kitty”

 

”And attractive? And charming? And beefy as hell?” Panthera asked on and on. It was all fluff text, as if she believed she was any of these things.

 

Okay beefy was something she was Actually noticing but..

 

Ladybug rolled her eyes and booped Panthera’s nose, “I’m glad you’re back”

 

Juleka’s lips pursed, throat dry.

 

”…Me too.”

 

...

 

Juleka hadn't talked to or tried to talk to Adam since the whole, thing. Like, she had his number cause of the play but she didn't want to. Her days off gave her an excuse but well- now. Fuck. Now there's no going back.

 

Juleka: Meet me at the front of school tomorrow, early, before class starts

Read at 12:03 am

 

"You sure?" Luka asked.

 

"I'm sure, Lu."

 

"But like- are you sure-"

 

"This isn't helping."

 

He sighed, continuing their ride to school. Juleka hummed, looking at the passing buildings by from her seat right behind him on the bike. The soft whirring of the wheel ringing through her ears, the wind in her hair. It was simple. It was, safe. Nothing big, nothing loud. Just,

 

Safe.

 

Just safe.

 

She's okay.

 

Plagg shivered with annoyance.

 

"You should walk up to him and kick him in the balls" Plagg advised, his fur prickled.

 

"Seconded." Luka snorted.

 

"I'm so tempted but please don't encourage me" Juleka said tiredly. She wanted to be So pissed at Adam. Fucker. If she was going to be brought to death's door again, she wish it wasn't by the hands of a jealous theatre kid. You almost died. Why do I not feel horrified of that.

 

Luka rolled them to a stop, kicking a foot out to hold the bike as Juleka hopped off the seat and tossed her helmet off into the basket with a sigh.

 

"Guess I'm off," Juleka thought out loud, quietly.

 

"Hold on, there’s one last thing I got to mention.”

 

"Mrrp?" Juleka turned. Juleka looked at the small lollipop offered out to her from her brother's hand. He smiled. Juleka chuckled back, plucking it from his hand.

 

”Love you, Jules.” He said quietly.

 

"Thanks, Luka" Juleka whispered.

 

"Have a good day back at school," Luka said, fixing back his helmet before grinning wildly. "Say hi to Rose for me."

 

"I will!" Juleka nodded and waved him off, watching as he rode away down the street. She sighed heavily, rubbing the space between her eyes. Her skin as already crawling to be back. That always was so when sh had a long break from the daily trudge of work and social interaction and she got too used to the comfort of being a hermit at home.

 

"Juleka."

 

Juleka turned, her grip tightening on her bag. She took in a deep breath and began to unwrap her lollipop, popping it into her mouth and letting it's sugary taste ease her for a second or two. Pink lemonade. 

 

"You can back out." Plagg reminded like an echo to her own mind.

 

"I know." Juleka mumbled. "But I gotta, I always gotta."

 

"That's gonna bite ya one day, Kitten." Plagg chided, tucking into her hoodie tiredly. Juleka sucked in a breath before turning to Adam who stood at the top of the stairs uncomfortably. I know. Her mind repeated.

 

"Let's chat, Charment."

 

...

 

"Can I tell you something, Adam?" Juleka asked.

 

The two stood on the steps of the school together. A few kids had passed them to make their way inside, some taking quick double glances in shock at the two. They must've been shocked to see Adam. Akumatized victims always got at least a little bit of attention after an akuma for a few days.

 

"Sure, Juleka. Why not?" Adam sighed. He wasn't dressed in his usual flamboyant self, he almost looked normal. Weird. That being said though, she wanted to clear things up. Not gloat, but she needed to say things she couldn't say in her mix of emotions That Night.

 

"I wanna be honest; still hate you." Juleka's eyes darkened. It was easy to be honest with someone she didn't like.

 

Adam blinked awkwardly, looking up at her.

 

"Is that.. so." Adam began, "I assume cause of.."

 

"I think you're a dick! Not an irredeemable dick but, a dick all the same. You fucked me up and then stabbed me." Juleka said, flicking the stick of her now eaten lollipop away and stood up tiredly. "I'd give some, therapeutic, emotional advice but I recognize that my spite for you still exists and it'd be healthier for both of us if I didn't."

 

"Ah." Adam looked away, "You, you're probably right.. I’m sorry, Couffaine. For.. everything.”

 

Juleka stared at him and sighed. She smothered her bitterness for a spell. It hurt to see the regret in his eyes, despite it being him.

 

"I hope you find love though, I mean, don't come after my girlfriend but- like- you're legit only sixteen dude. You're gonna make someone or someones really happy one day just- yeah you know" Juleka said waving her hands awkwardly. She lost her steam. "U-Um, but yeah- uh- yeah- um-"

 

"Thanks, Juleka. You don't have to say more" Adam chuckled tiredly, Juleka stifled a sigh, giving a thumbs up.

 

"Cool!" She awkwardly said.

 

"Yep!" He nodded.

 

The two stared at each other in thick silence.

 

"I thought closure would be easier." Juleka said quietly. "I thought maybe being mean, letting some anger and saying a big ol' Fuck You would make either of us feel better. Maybe you wouldn't feel bad about hating me. And I wouldn't feel bad about hating you. And then we could just, leave and not talk again and be fine."

 

Adam shrugged. His eyes were dull and distance.

 

"I guess.. not every story has a fairy tale happy ending.." He said quietly, running a tired hand through his hair. Juleka's eyebrows furrowed as she saw the tiredness under his eyes. Juleka bit her lip, before offering a hand.

 

"Yeah but you can still aim for one." Juleka said. Adam looked at it with widened eyes, and slowly he took it- letting the goth lift him to his feet. "Good luck, and thanks."

 

"For what? Stabbing you? Convincing you weren't loved?" Adam asked dryly with a raised eyebrow.

 

Juleka cringed, a twist in her stomach reminding her who this was.

 

"Ah. No. In fact I think I lost what I was about to say now...." She said sheepishly.

 

"Pff, you're a weird person. If Rose likes weird people like you, no wonder it.. didn't work out." Adam half laughed, giving a small smile as they shook on it. "You too then, Juleka Couffaine. Good luck with her. You clearly won her"

 

"I'm lucky to Be with Her." Juleka corrected quietly. Adam just nodded. And so he primly turned, and despite his old looking shirt and jeans, walked through the doors with his head high in a princely way. Juleka didn't know if she'd Ever speak to him again, she certainly was planning on avoiding it, she wasn't ready for what was to come for the rest of the shows, but-

 

She watched him, through the remaining gap of the closing doors, approached by the drama club, many slapping him on the shoulders, cackling and ruffling his hair, someone lightly whacking him with an umbrella, as a brighter smile carried to his lips.

 

-eh, he'll be okay.

 

"Jules!"

 

The goth turned with a wobbly grin. Rose gave an excited, exaggerated wave to her Girlfriend.

 

"Hi!"

 

Her heart skipped multiple beats.

 

"Hi, Rose"

 

...

 

Juleka hopes at some point, she'll be able to hold Rose's hand without her brain defusing from gay so she can function enough to speak.

 

Juleka, however, knows this will never happen, and she is okay with that.

 

"-And then- Oskar falls in Love with her!" Rose rambled, eyes love sick, as always. Always shining like they were two miniature stars for some reason blessing Juleka by being in her lost little solar system. "And he carries her across a fieEEELD!"

 

"Mm" Juleka hummed warmly, playing with the blonde's hand.

 

"It was the most beautiful story, Jules!" Rose cried, holding her hand holding hand to her own chest, clasping them together. It made Juleka choke a little with gay. Juleka laughed lightly.

 

"That's wonderful" Juleka said warmly. The moment they entered the classroom, though, Juleka's hair prickled with discomfort. She took an awkward step back behind Rose as whatever conversations there seemed to be, it all halted to the most terrifying silence Juleka had been hit with as the entire class stared at her.

 

They all just looked at her.

 

Juleka hid behind Rose, unable to tear her eyes away as she inched more and more behind her girlfriend. As if she could actually hide herself.

 

Marinette stood up, "Julek-!"

 

"LOOK AT THAT CLASS IS STARTING BACK TO OUR SEATS WE GO, GOOD MORNING EVERYONE HAHA" Rose exclaimed, grabbing Juleka's hand- oh it was so soft- and pulling her along up the aisle stairs. Juleka had her eye glued to the ground, sweating. She avoided everyone's eye contact and praise god, Ms Bustier stepped in to begin class.

 

Juleka kept her eyes on her work, trying to ignore her Friends and classmates.

 

Ms Bustier gave a greeting to Juleka, a welcome back, but it was brief. A blessing to Juleka, to be honest. A feeling of being seen was nice, acknowledged. But the Spotlight is what scared her. The cold spotlight with no comfort. Just eyes. She hated eyes. So the normalcy Ms Bustier brought was nice.

 

She explained about some things she wanted to implement into class, did a whole class vote on what ideas they had to.. 'Improve the Mental Health and Compassion' within the class. But, to be honest, Juleka wasn't really, there.

 

Juleka wanted to be back. She wanted to be here, with Rose, her friends. She wanted things to go back to normal, now that the big show was over, and all they needed to do now where re runs and whatever. However She found herself deep in just empty thought, like chains themselves had wrapped around her and pulled her just, down.

 

"Jules? Can you hear me?"

 

She was able to look at Rose, slowly.

 

"I'm sorry?" Juleka began.

 

Rose looked concerned, and her voice was the quietest she'd ever heard it. Juleka wonders if they weren't so close now, if Juleka would've ever been able to hear it-

 

"Are you, okay? You look..." Rose had no words to add. She's worried about you. Why? Cause she loves you. She loves me. She loves me. She loves me. Be reasssuring. Juleka slowly blinked at her, trying to give a simple smile, even though it was so exhausting.

 

“It’s fine, I’m used to it.”

 

"Used to what?"

 

Juleka bit her lip, "Being, tired."

 

Rose's eyebrows knitted together for a moment, cheek pressing against Juleka's arm. Her eyes glittered with a sympathetic warmth, it rippled through her chest and made the tips of her ears feel a tad hot.

 

"I’m not trying to pry, but I want you to know I’d like to listen, if you want someone to talk to.” Rose whispered, offering. Juleka shook her head. She was fine, honest. She had her rest. She was alright.

 

"You’re being way too nice to me." She chuckled lightly. Juleka's eyes became clouded once more with thought. She gripped tightly onto her ring. "I just have a lot going on right now, Rose. I don't mean to be, distant."

 

"Jules..." Rose began. But they weren't able to finish their conversation as Ms Bustier called their attention once more. Juleka looked away with mild regret. Stop making her worry, stop making her worry.

 

Around the room, classmates were scheming.

 

...

 

During science, they changed topics.

 

Rose promised to tell her about that nice Soap Opera she promised to show her One very very very distant Day and while Juleka would normally listen with deep and interested intent, soaking in every pitch and note in Rose's lyrical voice, she was out of it. So she was barely there til the end of the story where Rose sighed dreamily from their hidden nook away from Ms. Mendeleiev's croaks and scratchy caws.

 

“It was so beautiful!” Rose exclaimed, her eyes falling into a dreamy look.

 

“..well.. You’re beautiful” Juleka murmured softly, Rose blinking wide at her. Her face dusting a soft pink before Juleka realized what she said out loud. “S-Sorry! I just- I realized that.. I was.. allowed to say that.. now..”

 

“Oh, and what other things have you been keeping from me before we were dating?” Rose asked in a teasing tone, leaning over towards Juleka’s face.

 

Juleka blushed, rubbing her ring. Besides the cat heroism?

 

“Oh well.. I mean a ton of compliments like those.. I.. I guess… pick up lines?”

 

“Ohoho?” Rose’s grin stretched wider into something akin to 'shit eating' as if Rose could even procure such a smug little face. And yet here she was.

 

“They’re- Not- good.” Juleka cringed, though her smile still stretching over her lips. Her eyes were constantly darting to where Ms Mendeleiev was ranting loudly, back turned to her own students to grunt about the failing Grades and Particles. 

 

“Tell them to me anyways? Please?” Rose asked, tilting her head as she fluttered those adorable eyelashes. Juleka sighed, rubbing her face as her cheeks darkened with blush. She thought for a moment. Really? Pull out the Panthera? She wondered. I suppose she just Is me. So somewhere in me, they're there. Come out you dumb flirts, come on, makr your girlfriend blush.

 

“..H-Hey- did the sun- fuck this is dumb-“ Juleka face palmed immediately, trying to cover her eyes. Nevermind, terrible idea. The worst of ideas. The worst of ideas in the entire world.

 

“No no keep going” Rose waved an encouraging hand at her, beckoning her like ‘go on’. She was always a gremlin when she wanted to be. Juleka glanced down at her, she pursed her lips as her heart knotted itself a few dozen times before she decided.

 

Juleka’s eyebrows furrowed together and she mumbled, “..d-did the sun just come out again? Or did you just.. smile..”

 

“AW!” Rose squealed, clasping her hands to her chest.

 

"Ms Lavillant is there a problem?" Ms Mendeleiev swerved around immediately. The two helpless gays stared wildly up at the skeleton like woman. Rose flushed a bright red and Juleka thought fast.

 

"There's uh, uh a rat. It just scurried off outside-" Juleka mumbled. 

 

"A what? Speak up!" Ms Mendeleiev snapped.

 

"I'M SORRY DID YOU JUST SAY A RAT!?" Mylene shrieked.

 

The class screamed and Juleka paled as Ms Mendeleiev ran to her desk and began to pull out thingamabobs and weird gadgets, yelling for students to sit back down and to stay in their seats until she returned- thus diving out the door.

 

Juleka and Rose sunk in their seats with embarrassment, as the class's energy died down and a few realized what happened. Juleka covered her bright red face. Oh my gooooood. 

 

"That was hilarious and so cute-" Rose giggled breathlessly.

 

“ITS CHEESY! ITS DUMB!” Juleka sputtered under her breath, turning red with embarrassment as she shoved Rose’s face away from her as her girlfriend-holy shit girlfriend!-made an exaggerated kissing face at her.

 

”That was adorable, Jules.” Rose cooed. Juleka let out a chuff, putting her hand down as Rose fully scooted over to lean her head on her shoulder. Juleka couldn’t help her own bashful smile. 

 

"Thank you, I-" Juleka's voice failed her as she saw the class looking at her from their different corners of the room, pretending to read, looking at them 'secretly' from the sides of their eyes, and she gulped.

 

"Jules?" Rose tilted her head.

 

"...I think you're adorable too." Juleka managed softly, hoping they still weren't looking at her. 

 

School passed quietly, or as quietly as it could be these days. The class had been very not discreetly planning something for her, all orchestrated by Marinette of course, which was, exhausting. She decided it'd be dealt later of course.

 

Juleka's eyes drifted downcast to the floor as the world became numb to her.

 

She was used to it. The hard part about juggling priorities were the act of 'self sacrifice' often and- the idea of any of her friends apologizing to her for something she actively chose made her sick. Juleka didn't want that. She didn't want that. She didn't want that.

 

But she wasn’t a lucky person was she.

 

 

The thied show was fine. It was the third of five, they were almost done, she was almost done. Adrien covered for her the nights before. She can do it. She said yes.

 

Juleka dropped her sword the moment the lights went off. They re did their entire choreography, changed the dialogue to stay similar to what happened, Juleka rememorized it, she did what needed to be done. Remembering the audience made it harder to speak, she wasn’t ready to be actually actively acting, woah, say that five times fast-

 

Don’t.

 

Juleka sat down with a heavy thump on a chair the moment she got into her changing room. She rubbed the space between her eyes with deep exhaustion. Then again, the show lasted a second.

 

She felt like she had walked in, and then just walked out. Where was she? Was she breathing?

 

Knock knock knock.

 

How Long had she been sitting here, she hadn’t even changed out.

 

Knock knock knock.

 

”Juleka?”

 

It was Marinette’s voice.

 

”Ah, give me a, a sec” She replied, voice weak as she spoke up. Plagg yawned on the table.

 

”Aw man, I was enjoying my nap” He complained, Juleka stared distantly.

 

”I thought we Just walked into here.” She wondered out loud.

 

”You must’ve zoned out” 

 

Yeah. Must, have.

 

Juleka opened the door and let out a yelp of fear as Marinette grabbed her by the shoulders and yanked her outside.

 

She was sure there was a bit where Juleka’s eyes were blindfolded, that was panicking on its own and she heard Kim let out a shout of pain as she punch blindly.

 

”Juleka it’s okay it’s okay you’ll love it!” Marinette’s voice came again and Juleka was almost panicked by how much that calmed her when her heart was still pumping through her ears.

 

Where was she. How did she get here. How long has she-

 

“Surprise!”

 

Oh god.  Juleka hissed a little with pain as the lights and the music and the people, every sense started flooding into her at once. Her eyes thinned before smiling uncomfortably through gritted teeth.

 

”Everyone…  Wow…” She forced. “This is.. a lot.”

 

It was too much, she found herself and her class in a cleared out version of the Theatre’s back rooms. Everyone in the class was there, even Chloe, even Ms Bustier. Miniature lights was set up, Nino had a DJ set up, it was all, so, loud. Where is Rose? Where is- 

 

Rose was standing away, smiling weakly looking uncomfortable.

 

“They, haha, did this, behind.. my back.” Rose said quietly. Juleka’s mouth fell open but she found her hands getting grasped by Marinette’s.

 

”We all decided to pitch in this for you, Juleka! We wanted to show our appreciation for you, our love! So let’s hang out right? Party it up! Yeah!” Marinette exclaimed. Juleka’s face twisted.

 

”..Yes.”

 

They cheered around her, and Juleka found herself standing in her own cage of happy hell. Juleka faked laughter, and stretched smiles. And the people around her laughed and danced with glee.

 

She was lost in the eye of the storm and Rose couldn’t rescue her. Her body was jostled around. She couldn’t stand still for the life of her. Juleka was so so lost. It felt hot. It felt swirling. Her Throat choked on herself and her ears rang. 

 

Good intentions, she reminded in her flurry of thought, how loss of being as it felt like every molecule of her brain was being torn apart. They did this for you enjoy it,

 

”Couffaine”

 

Enjoy it damn it you waste of space..! Her mind screamed as she felt like she was spinning in circles. Everything was neon. She was too aware of everything. The music was blasting. It was so crowded in here. Who were these people. What was the thing again? All around me around familiar faces? Hahahahaahaha hahaha haha why can she feel her finger nails? What’s this pounding in her ears. Why can’t she breath? Why can’t she Breath? 

 

“Juleka.!”

 

She thought it was Rose for a second. It felt like years, hours, seconds, had passed by all at once, time was not a tangible thing. Juleka- Panthera- Juleka- Panthera was so lost, but grabbing her shoulder was Chloe.

 

“You don’t feel safe here, do you?” Chloe asked, almost in a tone of realization.

 

“It’s like I can’t breathe.” She said in a cracked tone “I just want to breathe-“

 

”Let’s get you to the side-“

 

They say some people can get drunk off an atmosphere. She didn’t think it applied here, but she wondered if she should thank and curse it for her situation. It was so easy to slip away, it’s always easy to slip away for her, but it felt like all eyes were on her.

 

Juleka slumped downwards as Chloe set her down to sit. Juleka was trying to catch her breath, she couldn’t hear anything, it was all just, white noise.

 

”Chloe, dear, thank you, I’ll take over.” 

 

Juleka slowly looked up see who was now next to her.

 

”I’m sorry” was the first reaction she had to say to Ms Bustier.

 

”Oh sweetie, is this too much?” Ms Bustier asked.

 

”N- No?” Juleka stumbled with her words, it felt like she lost her ability to lie with each watery choke of her breath “No no no I’m okay I’m good I’m okay-“

 

”Juleka, sweetie”

 

Juleka inhaled harshly, “I just, want everyone, to be, Okay.”

 

Ms Bustier let her talk-

 

“If I leave- everyone will be sad.”

 

”Do you want to leave?” Ms Bustier asked genuinely.

 

”I can’t. Because they’ll be disappointed.”

 

”I’m sure they won’t, dear.”

 

”They said they- that they All pitched in-“ Juleka hissed through her teeth. Her hands were balled against her face, fidgeting, trying to fix her hair, moving, fuck there was a hair touching her face, fuck she could hear Kim laughing way. Too. Loud. “-Ms Bustier, they all pitched in there was effort I can’t waste it-“

 

”Juleka, try to calm your breathing…-“

 

”I’m trying to damn it I’m trying to-“

 

”In, and out,” Juleka’s breath hitched as Ms Bustier’s voice seemed to melt through her system. She closed her eyes, trying to ignore the music, and Alya and Nino bantering over his music taste, and the voices, and the shouting, and the lights, and the sweat and heat of a crowded room.

 

Ms Bustier’s voice was a calm in the storm. A light. The fuzziness of consciousness she was stuck in began to clear.

 

”In, and out, I’m so proud of you good job.”

 

And suddenly, she found herself There again. Ms Bustier smiled and rubbed circles in her back. Juleka stared up at her tiredly.

 

”I’m sorry,” She couldn’t help but say once more, like a broken, broken record.

 

”There’s nothing to apologize for, sometimes, you just need to have someone guide you through what to do to heal, and nothing is wrong with that, Juleka” Ms Bustier said, oh so kindly, as always, as if it was Easy.

 

”No- I’m S-sorry- I’m sorry you just, have to Deal with me.” Juleka bit out. “Cause I’m just… a mess..”

 

The party around them painted a pathetic picture of her.

 

”Why would teaching you be a burden?” Ms Bustier asked.

 

Juleka grimaced, before weakly chuckling.

 

”You think I’m not aware? Of how much of a pain I must be? To you?” Juleka asked, “Quiet quiet.. can’t even, speak right when I do speak- and- and and-“

 

”Juleka…” Ms Bustier whispered.

 

"I guess you can call me a problem no one can fix, h- haha! Or at least no one should waste the effort of trying to.." Juleka said loosely, barking out a laugh. She tried to fix her hair but ended up brushing a hand over her cheek and was surprised to feel something wet. "O- Oh? What's this tear here..? Oh.. ohhaha... that's.. that's no good.. I- I'm sorry.. I'll.."

 

"Here dear-" Ms Bustier stopped Juleka from wiping them away with her gloves, handing the girl a small handkerchief. "This is softer."

 

She awkwardly wiped her tears away in front of her own teacher. God how embarrassing. How much more pathetic could she be? Juleka weakly sniffled, hands shaking as she wiped more tears away, how pathetic could I be...?

 

"It's reall- really stupid.. I'm really, I’m really fucked up, Ms Bustier. I'm like a little glass thing, dropped on the ground. And I just.. can't be taped back together anymore, and this isn't helping." Juleka whispered. "But Rose, she- she isn't yet. She isn't. She- she won't be. I- I- it's so stupid- I'm so stupid- I'm sorry- to confess- I- to say it honestly.. I do so much to protect Rose.. It's selfish of me... it's so so selfish of me and I'm aware... especially when she wants to be treated equally too- b- but- fuck- she's so strong.. she's so strong I can't stop thinking about how better she is.. I want her to stay that way, stay okay, I don't want her to be as messed up as me- I know I'm messed up- but.. but.."

 

Juleka inhaled sharply.

 

"I just don't want to feel this way anymore, Ms Bustier.. if I do.. I'm gonna hurt the people around me.. I'll be a monster.. I don't know what to do.." Juleka whispered helplessly, the handkerchief falling from her hands. "I make so many mistakes.. and so many just end up with me almost dying... I don't know what to do..."

 

There was a long quiet between her and her teacher and she almost expected the teacher to just walk away from no doubt discomfort, to join the party and the blaring lights and the happy. And she would not have blamed her. But Ms Bustier just gently took her handkerchief off the floor, tucking it back into her purse, and wiping away a few more of Juleka's tears with her own thumb.

 

"You shouldn't be ashamed of it all," She said softly.

 

"W-What?" Juleka asked.

 

"Feeling." Ms Bustier said, "I teach you guys in the hopes you all end up happy people but I think you should know that- it's okay if you're still sad- if you're very often sad- cause- depression doesn't go away or lift for.. all people. Many people still and will grapple with it but- the capacity to experience joy and feel again.. it's possible, Juleka"

 

Juleka blinked up at her as her teacher put a caring hand on her shoulder. It felt strong, and it reminded her of her mom.

 

"The 'cure' of depression I've found in my own way is well.. connection" Ms Bustier smiled "It's why I love to see all of you kids connecting and showing kindness. It doesn't always delete the sadness or shoos it away, in fact, it's a good thing to acknowledge those negative feelings, anger and frustration included, but the waves washing over feel a little less cold."

 

"..I'll get over it though, it's okay.. I've.. done it before. I've had experience helping people, and helping myself. So to bother other people now, feels, selfish.. for me.." Juleka said quietly, fumbling with the end of her hair. Ms Bustier stared at her for a moment, eyebrows furrowing with thought, a few short cogs clicking in place before she spoke again.

 

“You can’t heal trauma while you’re still in trauma.” Ms Bustier said. Juleka blinked in confusion, opening her mouth to speak but her teacher continued. “You can learn to identify it, you can learn how to cope- but healing? You can’t heal a wound with the knife still inside, right?”

 

Juleka blinked widely at her, unsure what to say. She was certain she opened her mouth a few times to speak but, nothing came out.

 

Ms Bustier had a quiet knowing smile, "Don't feel bad about going, they wanted to make you feel better but you don't have to force yourself to enjoy it. It'll be a bit of a learning lesson for them, especially for-"

 

She pointed at Marinette who was, doing a Marinette. Juleka weakly chuckled.

 

"I’m sorry you feel so much hurt, Juleka. But I want to cement the fact that it I am happy to be your teacher, so take my word for it when I say you’re valid to go. Besides,” Ms Bustier hummed, looking over the goth. “A certain someone is waiting outside for you right now."

 

Juleka felt the teacher softly pat her on the head and turn it to look at the open door, where Rose was sitting on the steps alone, feet away from the rain. Juleka’s eyes widened and slowly stood up.

 

She let her body move on it's own as she pittered her way over, invisible to the guests of her own party before making her outside.

 

It was cold, not chilly, or nail biting, but that fresh coldness only the rain could achieve which seeped deep into her bones and made you shiver. The rain reminded Juleka of outside the theatre. A quiet rumble of thunder echoed off in the distance and Juleka felt like she was falling in love all over again.

 

"Hey- Rose" She whispered. Rose turned to her with those soft little baby blue eyes, shining and warm with love, as if she saw an angel descend.

 

”Juleka,” Rose said with quiet joy. Her eyes darkened to a faded guilt, and then a fit of pain. “I’m sorry, I don’t know, I didn’t know how to, stop, or…”

 

”Did you get a visit from Ms Heidi?” Juleka asked, stopping her in her tracks. Rose was quiet, before nodding a little. Juleka hummed with understanding. “She’s quite a pisser ain’t she.”

 

”I wanted to help you but I couldnt get to you, and I couldn’t, stay in there.” Rose said, voice shaking a tad. 

 

”It’s okay,” Juleka smiled. “Wanna ditch?"

 

Rose smiled peacefully, she took Juleka by the hand, "Let's,"

 

...

 

Juleka dropped her belongings on the ground with a moderate thump, letting out a sigh of exhaustion as the warmth of Rose's room seeped into her bones. Rose, now changed into something more comfortable and dry which Juleka realized was- was that her missing hoodie-, dropped backwards onto her stuffed animal covered bed with a relaxed sigh before looking up at Juleka with a big grin.

 

"Hi"

 

"Hey." Juleka greeted back with a chuckle, "I am constantly reminded of how many stuffed animals you own..”

 

“Join me and my army” Rose giggled. Juleka opened up her mouth to speak as she stared at the bed, she'd been here before, she'd been here multiple times, and there was an intricacy she understood about Rose's bed. Its why they always slept on the ground during sleepovers and it was cause- ok look like-

 

Rose was like this little,, this little- crow- bird- magpie- thing- cute thing- and she'd just- find and collect things she liked- and that was plushies- so many plushies. Plushies from since she was six and wouldn't bare the idea of giving away which was adorable.

 

Basically every part of her bed that Rose wouldn't take up in her sleep, was plushies. And Rose was laying in her little junji ito perfect hole of plushies and was offering Juleka to join her. So..

 

"U-uh.. thank you for the invitation- but- Where?" The goth chuffed with a smile. Rose just smiled and patted her stomach. Juleka blinked, her eyebrows raised a bit before she blushed. "O- Oh! Okay, if that's alright with you.."

 

She awkwardly crawled on top of Rose, making her realize, at least for a few moments, their different in stature and slowly lowered herself to lay on her girlfriend- oh my god girlfriend-‘s stomach.

 

Juleka blinked up at Rose. Her legs awkwardly hung off the bed a bit.

 

”You’re comfy” She stated outloud.

 

Rose giggled.

 

”Don’t make fun of me” Juleka huffed. Rose just giggled more. The two sighed. Soaking in the quiet silence. Juleka slowly blinked as she laid with Rose, softly hugging her waist. Maybe hours passed, with them like that, maybe only seconds passed. The rush of running away from the party was gone now.

 

Things had settled. Juleka wanted to kick herself for her emotions being inconsistent. Couldn’t she just be, happy now?

 

Rose let out an annoyed sound.

 

”What happened?” Juleka asked worriedly.

 

”Nothing,” Rose reassured, putting down their phones.

 

”They texted us didn’t they-“ Juleka’s voice rose, struggling up. “Hold on let me-“

 

”Nope!! Already taken care of!!” Rose squealed, grabbing them again in a rush and raising it over her head where Juleka couldn’t reach. “I’m handling it! It’s handled! Handled-ded!”

 

”What did you do?”

 

”I literally just muted them on our phones.” Rose deadpanned.

 

”Rose!” Juleka grimaced, managing to grab Rose’s phone when it slipped from the girl’s hand. She opened it up and paused, finding a picture of her as it’s Lock Screen photo.

 

She doesn’t remember this moment. She doesn’t remember Rose taking a picture of her at all. Her eyes softened as she was overtaken by her searching to find this memory.

 

The picture was her, something mundane, looking down at the camera holding Minou with a little smile. It was just normal boring Juleka? Why would this picture be the one Rose would have as her Lock Screen?

 

She wasn’t beautiful in this photo. She wasn’t doing anything in particular. Or being anything other than Juleka.

 

Juleka’s face heated up, before her eyes began to sting.

 

"I'm sorry-" Her voice cracked and Juleka tried to not cry again. "I’m usually stronger than this."

 

”Oh Jules- what’s wrong-“

 

”I- I just- I kinda processed now- tha- that-“ Juleka couldn’t speak, overwhelmed. “Shit-“

 

“Oh my sweet Juleka,” Rose cupped the side of Juleka’s face, bringing her back onto the bed to hold her. Juleka tried to push back the purrs in her throat but it felt like she was just choking on them.

 

”Give m- me a sec- I promise I’ll be okay for you soon, I promise-“ Juleka trembled.

 

"It’s not your responsibility to make us feel better about something bad that happened to you, and that if you can't handle it then, Jules, you handle it and that’s ok" Rose whispered softly, "You're allowed to feel overwhelmed by something you've never experienced.. no ones mad at you.."

 

"But.." Juleka whispered.

 

Rose parted Juleka's bangs from her face, "You can rest right now, my sweet Juleka, and feel angry and sad and anything else. If you want to talk, I'm absolutely gonna listen and if you don't, you don't have to.."

 

"But what I don’t deserve-“

 

"Remember when my dad died?" Rose asked.

 

Juleka's attempts at argument died on her lips. Her face fell into a somber quiet.

 

"How could I forget?”

 

It was like a freshly wet painting in Juleka’s eyes, still dripping with tears and blood.

 

"You said something to me.. when we were outside his door. We were so young. You somehow go us through the entire staff, but I couldn't go inside.. I began to cry." Rose began to quietly reminisce. Juleka closed her eyes. She could see it right now.

 

It was cold that day.

 

"I was scared-" So scared "-And angry at myself-" It broke Juleka's heart "-but you told me that; no matter what happened, I would be comforted that I wouldn't be judged or blamed or rejected that no matter what I felt," Rose spoke "You said I didn't have to worry about that right now that she can feel her feelings no matter what they are or what they'd become.."

 

"I.. you remember all that..?" Juleka quietly asked.

 

"Of course I do, I can't forget it." Rose smiled softly before looking at Juleka with a sad look. "How can I convince you that too, Jules? You do so much for everyone around you, expecting, no, hoping no one notices what you've done, so how can I convince you that you're just as loved? That you're allowed to feel things you tell everyone they're allowed to feel?"

 

"I.. I.." Juleka was wordless. Not uncommon, her hands began to come up to try and sign- but she found herself still blanking out. She had no idea what to say. Speechless or no. She had, no answer to this question. No lie to cover her tracts. She was clueless. "I don't.. know."

 

Rose hummed, looking off to the vague distant before smiling.

 

"Just a little project for us then!" She giggled freely. "We’ll work on it, together."

 

Juleka smiled warmly, nuzzling deeper into Rose's embrace.

 

"I'm.. okay with that." She whispered with a smile. And Juleka was sure she knew Rose was smiling back.

 

"Can we talk more?" Rose asked.

 

"Of course... love." Juleka replied, her face heating up more at her added piece. Rose squealed for a moment and the goth could feel her legs do their cute little kick they always did when she was excited before Rose combed a hand through her hair again.

 

"Okay!"

 

So there she laid with her heart, Rose softly stroking a hand through her hair, as they, talked. They talked about fears, talked about life, talked about their day, talked about Adam- hell- talked about their crushes on eachother.

 

”I was actually jealous of some people,” Rose whispered with embarrassment, covering her bright red face.

 

”No way!”

 

Juleka felt her eyes grow heavy every so often, but she urged herself gently to not fall asleep, too enraptured with Rose’s attention to miss a second of it. There was a while where they didn’t talk at all.

 

Just basking in the quiet of eachother’s company, holding eachother tight. Juleka stared down at her ring quietly. One day, I will tell her, and maybe that’s the day this all ends. She thought. One day though, I will tell her. But not now.

 

Now was a time of quiet.

 

Now was a time, where she felt safe.

 

Now, she was in love and loved.

 

"..You hungry?" Rose suddenly asked.

 

Juleka paused.

 

"Yeah, lets get food."

 

"Alright- upsie daisy-"

 

...

 

Juleka found her mom on the barge when she went home. 

 

"Where's Luka?" She asked.

 

"Deliverin' pizza." Anarka replied, she tilted her head to the side with a smile "Where've you been all night?”

 

"Rose's house" Juleka said with a soft blush, her mom chuckled serenely.

 

"Have a chat with me?" Anarka requested “Could you tell me about your day?”

 

"Sure"

 

Juleka didn’t think she’d do so much talking today. But she wasn’t unhapppy with it, just tired. It was a long day.

 

”We watched a movie while we ate, it was nice” Juleka said, finishing her long story.

 

”I’m glad Rose is a good girlfriend fer’ you lass, that makes me happy” Anarka smiling.

 

“So you’re.. you’re okay with it, right? That I’m with.. with her ?” Juleka asked, emphasizing the ‘her’ part.

 

Anarka merely rose a curious eyebrow and barked out a laugh, not unlike a hyena.

 

“Lass, if your fears are stemming from the idea that; you think I would judge you for liking woman, then don’t worry about it.” She reassured. Anarka sniffed. “I’ve had plenty of female lovers in my day. It’s the gay gene”

 

“S-Seriously?” Juleka sputtered in surprise, she didn’t know that. She assumed, but like- Her eyes narrowed “What happened to them?”

 

“Ah.. I.. foun’ that- the chase was always more allurin’ to me than the true capture” Anarka said sheepishly, it was the first time Juleka had ever seen her mom actually blush “A few were just some girls who fancied me and since I found them quite nicely, I was fine with a bit of kissin and neckin’… Then I let ‘em walk away from me on their own when they were done with me... they didn’t actually like me.”

 

“Do you remember any of their names?” Juleka asked, she couldn’t imagine the idea of that. But perhaps she was just overly romantic.

 

“Nah.. not really.. it was a long time ago. High school. I’m an old lady, Jules” Anarka replied, rubbing her chin before a devious smile stretched across her face “I know they definitely haven’ forgotten me though! Haha! I know I was the best kisser they’d ever had”

 

Juleka laughed a little, rubbing her neck a little nervously. Oh wow. Uh. She didn’t know this. But, she kinda wanted to know more.

 

“Any you did remember?” She asked curiously

 

“Ah..” Anarka looked off a little distantly, “I was movin’ around.. tried my hand at college surprisingly. It was your grandparents fault. Their last attempt at making me a good student. Didn’t last long, but I met..”

 

Juleka waited as Anarka thought, a wave of nostalgia seeming to seep into her tired eyes.

 

“..Haha, yeah, Her. Yeah I sure liked her.” Anarka smiled “She called me Annie, and we’d dance a lot. Sing. Liked me for who I was, not for who I seemed. Quick as a whip too, seemed to always tell what I was thinking.”  Anarka barked out a laugh and Juleka smiled, that reminded her a bit of Rose. “Which was weird at first but- She softened me up a little.”

 

Her mom’s eyes got genuinely soft, looking far, far off. Then Juleka remembered. 

 

“What happened to her?” Juleka asked quietly, seeing the sadness start to trickle into her mother’s gaze.

 

“I uh- we lost contact. Or I guess- no. It was me who pulled away.” She sighed guiltily “I guess I.. never learned anything.. I had decided my own path was what I wanted, and I forgot to consider what she did. Left when I saw an opportunity to chase my dreams- and forgot to say goodbye.”

 

Juleka’s face fell. Her heart sinking in her chest.

 

“Ma..”

 

“It’s okay” Anarka smiled “If I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have you two rockstars.” She said, ruffling Juleka’s hair “And there’d be nothin in the world that would make me trade you two.”

 

Juleka sniffed a little, nodding. Yeah, yeah..

 

“Yeah..” She murmured before looking up “So your taste in woman was..”

 

“Pretty girls with the optional loveliness of being smart.” Anarka snorted, running a hand through her hair “Someone I could happily banter with!”

 

“What about men?”

 

“Ah.. only had a few ‘boyfriends’” Anarka said, bending her fingers a little “Teenage boys who thought I was the shit, couldn’t get their ‘ands off me. Broke up with me when they learnt I bit back though! Losers! Can’t control Anarchy.”

 

Juleka laughed with her, leaning on her cheek. The soft thumping of the seine’s non existent waves hitting against the hull of the ship. She could envision it. Her ma, dyed silver hair reverted to a dark brown, charming her way through people’s hearts.

 

“What about Luka’s dad?” Juleka asked, this was the most she had ever heard of her mother’s past so she was eager to dig a little more. Her mother was one to keep things close to her chest. Juleka had never even heard about her grandparents before. It was like, tearing down the curtain that was just labeled ‘Mom’ and getting to see the woman behind it. How surreal.

 

Anarka chuckled humorously “Ah he was.. not like the woman I liked..”

 

“He wasn’t smart?” Juleka snorted

 

“He was.. Him.” Anarka grinned slowly “Wild. Fun. But a.. oh what do you kids call ‘em these days.. them dumb lo’able ones? That are buff?”

 

“Himbos?” Juleka tilted her head.

 

“Aye.” Anarka nodded, laughing “He was a bit of a himbo. Had a way with his music though. Truly an artist. But really, he had a nice Bod. Real nice.” Anarka nodded proudly to herself but her face fell into a scowl. “We had a bit of an on off relationship. More friends with benefits..”

 

Anarka then pouted, eyebrows narrowing.

 

"That lously son o' a boot didnae pay his damn chil' support though.. we 'ad a big argument when I found out well.. you know.. so before he told me to do anthin' I got up an' ran.. Crocoduo was a stupid name anyways.." Anarka huffed, burying herself in-between her shoulders like a very salty turtle. “Shipwrecker.” 

 

"Ma!" Juleka said, a bit appalled. 

 

"What? It worked out didnit?" Anarka exclaimed, “I had you two!”

 

Juleka bit her lip, she wasn’t sure how much she wanted to learn now. Especially without Luka here. But then.. her mind to someone else. Someone.. she wasn’t sure she wanted to think about. One who made her skin writhe and her eyes thin. But she still.. wanted to know.

 

“And.. what about him?” She asked quietly.

 

“Hm?” Anarka looked up.

 

“Why..” Juleka felt her breath catch inside her throat, looking at her mom with shaking hands, eyes thin. She had fallen asleep wondering this question. Whys circling through her mind. And this was the time she could know.. “Why did you.. marry him ?

 

There was a long silence as Anarka understood. The older woman slowly looked out to the glittering water, for once, completely silent in her life. Juleka wasn’t sure if she’d ever answer before-

 

“..because..” Anarka started, before pausing to choose her words carefully “Because I thought it was the only way I could keep you.”

 

Juleka blinked, looking up at her mother.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Financially, I was in shit. Real shit. I was a single mother- with a boat- a daughter I was breathless to when I first held her in my arms- and a man who gave her to me and who I thought was the only one who could keep us afloat..” Anarka murmured, rubbing her eyes a little “But thankfully, I was wrong.” She said, her voice turning stern “And we’ll never see him again.”

 

That sentence was a promise. One Juleka hoped would forever be true.

 

She gripped hand tightly to her mother’s and leaned her head against her shoulder.

 

“Y-Yeah.”

 

Juleka could barely remember her childhood during that section of her life. Sometimes they came back to her, sometimes Luka would start a story he’d realize by the look in her face that it had left her. 

 

There was a long quiet moment.

 

“Do you think... that that’s going to happen to us? Me and Rose?” Juleka asked quietly and fearfully “That one day we’ll just, drift away? Like you and.. and that lady you really liked..?”

 

Anarka’s eyes widened a little as Juleka’s gaze drifted far away.

 

“Oh sweetie I- no- I mean- well..” Anarka searched for the right words. It was the first time Juleka’s mother ever seemed nervous to her. Anarka sighed “Relationships.. can’t be promised sometimes.. there’s always risks, and snags, and fears that may come to life but.. that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t take those chances.. and let our hearts love and try and care.. because if we don’t, then, what’s the point o’ living?”

 

Juleka just thought on that. Quietly. Anarka bit her lip for a moment, looking out at the Parisian city, before looking back at her daughter with a smile.

 

“I can’t wait you know.”

 

“For what?” Juleka asked.

 

Anarka just smiled softly and put a firm hand on her shoulder. Calloused fingertips aged with experience, pain, and pleasure. Years that Juleka didn’t know about and may never know of.

 

“You’ve got a heart of a hero, Jules!” Anarka said with the bursting gusto her mother was known for. “And the moment you let loose, show ‘em all what you’re made for, I can’t wait to watch you shining like the real rockstar you are.”

 

Juleka felt tears brimming in her eyes again, beginning to fall down her cheeks and leave herself a hiccuping crying mess on her knees but she swallowed her sobs to focus on the blooming warmth in her chest. She felt empowered. Encouraged. Loved.

 

And realizing that, she felt even stronger. Anarka knelt down next to her to give her the safest, strongest hug.

 

...

 

"We're sorry!"

 

Juleka just stared, hand intertwined with Rose’s.

 

"Huh?"

 

Marinette sighed sheepishly, "We noticed you left last night, and we're sorry."

 

Juleka blinked with surprised, she wasn't expecting this, this morning. The entire class was there in front of her, having swarmed around her the minute she came in, all looking pumped up to speak on anxious energy. She itched her neck awkwardly.

 

"Uh, sorry for- what? You didn't.. do anything wrong.." Juleka mumbled slowly. Kim shook her head rapidly.

 

"We went a bit too hard core!"

 

"We were really worried about you and wanted to show our thanks but-"

 

"But we ended up just doing things we'd assume you'd want" Alix sighed, pulling her hat over her face with embarrassment. "Our bad, Jules."

 

Juleka wilted, "It.. wasn't your guys' fault.. I was touched! Really!"

 

"But.." Juleka eeped, looking up to see Adrien putting a gentle hand on her shoulder, his emerald eyes glittering with a layer of regret and sympathy. It, took her off guard. "..It didn't make you feel okay, Juleka. And we should've known better, that's on us."

 

Juleka pulled away from their gazes, staring down at her fidgeting hands and rubbing her ring with mild discomfort. I disappointed them all.. how can I save this...

 

"The 'cure' of depression I've found in my own way is well.. connection" Ms Bustier smiled "It's why I love to see all of you kids connecting and showing kindness. It doesn't always delete the sadness or shoos it away, in fact, it's a good thing to acknowledge those negative feelings, anger and frustration included, but the waves washing over feel a little less cold."

 

"It’s not your responsibility to make us feel better about something bad that happened to you, and that if you can't handle it then, Jules, you handle it and that’s ok" Rose whispered softly, "You're allowed to feel overwhelmed by something you've never experienced.. no ones mad at you.."

 

"But.." Juleka whispered.

 

Rose parted Juleka's bangs from her face, "You can rest right now, my sweet Juleka, and feel angry and sad and anything else. If you want to talk, I'm absolutely gonna listen and if you don't, you don't have to.."

 

Juleka blinked.

 

"Yeah, it was, not the best" Juleka giggled lightheartedly. She stared up at them warmly, "Thank you all, though. For the attempt."

 

They all shared a soft lighthearted laugh, Rose met her gaze and Juleka returned it with a happy nod, making Rose's eyes brighten She looked at Marinette who was looking regretful and met her eyes too, offering a smile. Marinette awkwardly mouthed; 'sorry' and Juleka shrugged lightly. 

 

A light cough went through them and the small class parted to unveil the awkward looking Chloe.

 

"We uh- we pitched in on one last thing. We Planned on giving it to you at the end of the party but like, uh, that didn't happen. Ridiculous." Chloe said, fidgeting with her bangs before tsking. "Lyvan pull out the thing."

 

"Ivan." He said.

 

"Ivan." She corrected herself. Juleka titled her head with concern before her eyes widened to comical levels as Ivan, pulling out of nowhere behind him, was a large cat plush.

 

It was black, with outstretched paws and big grumpy eyes and a small purple ribbon wrapped around it's neck like a present. Oh, and it was almost the size of her. Juleka began to breath heavily, her hands twitching in the air to grab it. Ivan handed it to her and she had to hug it to hold it correctly.

 

It was soft. So soft. The softest. Oh my god.

 

"Is it- is it good? Is it cute? Alright texture? Is it okay?" Marinette asked nervously,

 

"We couldn't find a good one on any websites that'd ship it in time-“ Chloe began uncharacteristically nervous “Rose mentioned you wanted one of these, so-“

 

”I made it on my own- I've only worked with small dolls before so uh-" Marinette continued-

 

It was then Ms Bustier walked in to see her class standing around Juleka who was sniffling over a giant cat plushie. She decided to pretend she didn't walk in and refill her very full coffee. 

 

"T- thank you, guys" Juleka said wobbly, her eyes were shining as her class smiled at her. It wasn't a big thing.

 

Maybe, to Marinette, it was a waste of time- and she could've done more productive things than worry about her. Maybe there were imperfections, but, there was love. And her friends, loved her. And her girlfriend, loved her. And her Mom and Brother, loved her. And maybe that's what mattered.

 

"Just, thanks,"

 

...

 

Somewhere else,

 

"Caline weren't you just here?" Mendeleiev asked, avoiding her own class.

 

"Yes." Caline replied, sipping her My Ranch My Rules cup, "Yes I was. I'm giving my class friendship time though."

 

"Why?"

 

"Because I love these very silly children" Caline sighed, taking another sip.

 

 

Notes:

ACTUAL EPISODES RETURN AFTER THIS MY APOLOGIES

This has been a long arc and like Juleka said, i figured closure on it would be nice

At the end of the day, like everyone else, Adam's just kinda, a dumb kid. Who isn’t at their age. Ego bigger than most? Yeah? But he can improve, maybe he'll get the princess he wants, hell maybe a prince, who knows. But eh, he'll be alright.

 

Anyways

Rose: wow Juleka how did cap let you have TWOOO moms

Chapter 52: Befana

Chapter Text

 

 

"Did you get the things for Marinette's party?" Rose asked, taking Juleka's hand.

 

"The bicycle pump? Yeah, snuck it into my locker, I'll bring it with me to the party, tomorrow that is." Juleka replied, "Marinette almost caught me though, but I don't think she noticed? I mean she's seen me with a bike so..."

 

"Perfect~ I'm so excited!" Rose sang as Juleka softly swayed with her. Hand in hand, a little dance, if you would, to the invisible music only their hearts sang. Jeez- if she continued on that metaphor, she'd start sounding like Luka.

 

"Mhm." She said, tucking hair behind Rose's ear. Rose softly smiled at her, taking Juleka's hand where it was and pressing a little kiss to her wrist. Juleka's brain short fused at that moment. Rose just giggled at that, the little monster, "Cute!"

 

"Shut,," Juleka hissed, her face turning red. The two delving into some chuckles.  "How about you though? Did you get the snacks?"

 

"Sure did," Rose said, she leaned into Juleka's shoulder with a comfortable sigh. It was, really nice. Just to be here, with Rose. Dancing, swaying comfortably. Then Rose said something out loud, "You know, this, reminds me, of something."

 

"Does it now?" Juleka tilted her head curiously before seeing the look on Rose's face. Her gaze was far, far away now, to the window sill. And Panthera realized what she meant. Her hand squeezed Rose's. Her voice became quiet, "In what way?"

 

"It reminds me of... a friend." Rose said sadly. Juleka stared at her. Does she... regret Panthera? "Sh- er- they were really nice to me, I was actually kinda into them, we flirted a little actually- but.. I wasn't as in love with Her as she was in Love with me... because I loved you, Juleka..."

 

"What do you think about her now?" Juleka asked quietly, Rose stopped dancing, just leaning close to Juleka's shoulder.

 

"I'm not giving you up, I wanna be with you, that's without a doubt... but when I rejected her- it made my heart truly.. truly twist.. the same way it did when you got hurt.." Rose responded quietly, "I really want to make it up to her, somehow. Clear things up..."

 

Juleka sighed, stroking a hand through Rose's hair. She stared at the ring on her own hand.

 

"I see..." She murmured. She Did say she liked Panthera... I guess I wasn't able to really believe it. "I'm sorry that happened,"

 

"It's alright, I'm with you, remember? And nothing makes me more happy than being with you," Rose said sincerely, looking up at Juleka with a warm smile. Juleka smiled back and squeaked as Rose pressed a little kiss to her cheek before a familiar buzzing sound emanated between them. Rose pulled out her buzzing phone, "Oh- it's my mom, hello?"

 

Rose had it on speaker-

 

"Hi sweetie! I'm almost home, did you get the things you need?"

 

"We sure did!" Rose exclaimed.

 

"We? Oh is Juleka there? Tell her I said-"

 

"Hi M- Mrs. Lavillant." Juleka said politely.

 

"Hi Juleka, darling! Are you staying for dinner? Please do! I'll make your favorites- see you soon bye-"  She then hung up on them. 

 

The two stared at each other with a little smile and began to walk down the stairs.

 

“Weird question but does your erm.. mom.. know? That we’re- uh..” Juleka asked nervously. Rose hummed, nodding a little awkwardly.

 

“Y-yep!”

 

“And.. d-did she say anything.. bad?” Juleka asked even more nervously, expecting the worst case scenario on the spot.

 

“She said ‘Aw that’s wonderful, you two make such a pair, have her over for dinner will you?’ and then just kinda.. continued cooking..” Rose said, her face blushing a little. Juleka put two and two together.

 

“Hold on- Is this that dinner..?” She started- before hearing the door open. Juleka squeaked, feeling her face pale as she turned to see Rose’s mom walking in. Ohhhhhhh balls.

 

“Juleka, welcome home, sweetie. What time did you get here?” Mrs. Lavillant just smiled, hugging the goth like she normally would. Her jacket was wet, and her hair was damp. Juleka was in shock, making wide eye contact with Rose before sputtering out an answer.

 

“U-Um,, a-an hour? An hour ago? Or so?” Juleka mumbled weakly. 

 

“Wow you two beat the rain! That’s a relief!” Mrs. Lavillant said, leaving the kitchen to put down her stuff.

 

“Yep! Lucky us!” Rose pepped up, pulling at the uncharacteristically dark skull hoodie she was wearing and giving a glance at the pink hoodie with a rainbow on it that Juleka was wearing. 

 

"You'll stay for dinner, won't you?" Mrs. Lavillant requested "I can text your mom and ask if you want to stay over too? I can drive you both to the park or-"

 

"Dinner!" Rose squeaked out, looking very embarrassed which was adorable. "Let's start with dinner first!"

 

Juleka chuckled, taking Rose's hand softly, "I'm down for dinner, woohoo, right?"

 

Rose's face melted into a warm smile looking up at Juleka, as she quietly whispered a little-

 

"Woohoo"

 

...

 

"But I don't know if you humans would like it. I wonder if you guys even give each other presents on your birthday..."

 

That snapped Marinette out of her stupor. All morning she had been up and ready. Waiting. For her call with Alya that she Knew would just happen. She knew she just had to wait. But no call was coming and it was making her antsy. I mean- come on- it was so obvious so why won't it happen just yet-

 

But again, Tikki's voice brought her back to reality.

 

"Really Tikki? You got me a birthday present?" Marinette exclaimed with curiosity. To imagine what a Kwami would give as a present was a big curiosity in her eyes.

 

Tikki had a proud look on her face, "A kwami specialty!"

 

"Oh, that's actually really awesome! What is it?" Marinette asked excitedly. She sat down in front of Tikki expectantly and Tikki smiled. Tikki began to twist and fly through the air, dancing and humming a magical tune before spinning rapidly- then hacking out a glowing wad of spit into Marinette's hands.

 

"Miraculous birthday, Marinette!" Tikki exclaimed happily. Marinette's face paled. It was So slimey. It felt heavy in her hands somehow, it was, oh god- Tikki frowned with disappointment, "Oh no, you don't like it, do you?"

 

"Yes! Yes, I love it! It's amazing." Marinette exclaimed, but it was hard to hide her clear grossed-out-ment. She had no idea what she was looking at besides the equivalent of magic kwami barf but she didn't want to be rude to her magical friend, "It's a, uhhh, what is it?"

 

Tikki smiled, "A Kwagatama!"

 

It was then that the slime dissipated from her hands, and what was left in it's place was a small oblong shape with a hole through it. It looked awfully familiar to Marinette before she realized it was the light swirl from the yin and yang symbol, but, red. How on Brand.

 

"A great symbol of friendship among us kwamis. We take a hair from our Miraculous holder and join it to the hairs of all the former Miraculous holders. And with them we grow a magic resin for a few months and-"

 

Marinette was listening, she promises she was, but she also was totally super distracted.

 

Her eyes slowly melted towards her phone.

 

Alya.

 

Alya was going to call her at any moment.

 

She knew she would.

 

But she was getting so antsy.

 

But-

 

"-I know you don't wanna tell me because you don't want to hurt my feelings but it's obvious you don't like it." Tikki's voice cut in, Marinette yelped with surprise, brought back to the present again.

 

"I'm sorry, Tikki! I-I really love your gift." Marinette exclaimed before sighing, she put the 'kwagatama' down onto the table and held up her phone "It's just that Alya should already have called me by now. We're supposed to be taking her little sister to the 'dentist'-" She winked "-t four o'clock today. But, she hasn't yet.."

 

"Do you humans always celebrate your birthday by going to the dentist?" Tikki asked slowly, looking genuinely very puzzled. Oh she didn't catch on that's okay.

 

"No, of course not, Tikki. It's a secret code!" Marinette beamed "I know they're actually throwing me a surprise birthday party!"

 

"Oh" Tikki responded, before looking confused again, "Wait but how is it a surprise if you know about it?"

 

"The thing about surprises is you know about it but pretend you don't so you won't spoil it for the people who are organizing it!" Marinette just kept smiling to herself,  "It's less about it really being a secretive and more of the thought that counts."

 

Tikki looked concerned, "But- but what about the dentist?"

 

"It's a fake-out!" Marinette grinned, "See, Alya's gonna pretend to take me to the dentist, but she'll really be taking me to my surprise party! Of course!"

 

"What if you're wrong?" Tikki asked. Marinette froze for a moment but shook her head.

 

"Impossible. I know who Alya is, I know how her brain works! What her favorite and least foods are, I know several of Her own birthday stories, I know about that time she almost ate a snail in the third grade- she told me, it's a bestie thing it's what I do I know things." Marinette waved a hand. At least, that is, what I hope. No- no there is- of course yes prove it- "All the signs are there, Tikki!"

 

"Ahh..?" Tikki tilted her head while Marinette began to climb back down into her room.

 

"Juleka totally jumped when I caught her holding a bicycle pump. Balloons, duh. I caught Nino listening to my favorite song!" Marinette went on and on.

 

"The one he hates?" Tikki asked.

 

"Exactly, He has no reason to listen to it unless... He's making a playlist for my surprise party! Elementary." Marinette crossed her arms happily. Tikki sighed, still unconvinced. Marinette pouted, "Fine, you know what? There's one no-fail way to find out if there's a surprise party in the making-"

 

They skipped their way downstairs to the bakery. Marinette poked her head in with a mischievous smile.

 

"Mama! Papa! Do you know anything about Alya planning a surprise party for my birthday?" She asked loudly and gestured to the hidden Tikki the giant birthday cake and the 'caught eating from the cookie jar' expressions on both of her parents.

 

Tom paled, "Uh, oh, uh... Party? Uh, what party? Uh, which Alya, again?"

 

Sabine tossed a little strawberry at her dad's face and gritted through her smiling teeth.

 

"You're overdoing it... we're talking about her best friend!" She hissed. Marinette couldn't help her grin. Tom laughed awkwardly.

 

"Alya! Of course, Alya! We haven't seen her in years!" Tom nervously laughed. Marinette smiled and went behind the door. She turned to Tikki with a smug grin.

 

"See? Parents always know when there's a surprise party in the works." The door bell rang and Marinette's heart leapt several bounds. Alya! I knew it..! "And now, on the other side of this door, check out who's coming to get me! Just in time for the party! It's-"

 

She ran towards the door and opened it with the intent to jump into her best friend's arms but stopped in her tracks, surprised.

 

"-Nonna!?"

 

...

 

"Hey I know it's like, way way too late. But like- Are we sure a Surprise Party is a good idea?" Alix asked in the middle of preparations, she was putting plates down onto one of the tables Ivan had just finished dragging out. "After you know-"

 

Juleka realized they were looking at her now. She put down the bicycle pump down with a grunt.

 

"Come on guys.." Juleka groaned grumpily. Everyone from the class and more was here. Even Adrien! Which was a very nice surprise, how he managed to escape to this, Juleka didn't know, but it was nice to have him here. They were all setting up the supplies they had all pitched into. Doing this party, Juleka could get the excitement that'd wrap people up when making one.

 

”Alix!” Adrien said in a scolding tone.

 

”Too soon, dude." Lila deadpanned.

 

"Alix." Rose said, sounding like a very dissapointed mother which made Juleka snort.

 

”I’M VALID TO BE CONCERNED!” Alix exclaimed, waving her arms wildly.

 

"It'll be fine," Alya reassured lightheartedly, she waved a hand with her phone. "Marinette's into this stuff, she Explicitly told me. Our bad for Juleka but, you know, it worked out!"

 

"Sorta" Juleka chuffed. Rose giggled beside her. Alya was like a wild animal in these preparations, hair on end sorta wild, absolutely determined for Marinette to have a fantastic birthday. Hell- she had a clipboard and everything.

 

"I am still so confused on how I got invited to this thing." Chloe deadpanned as she brought over the bag of balloons, passing one down to Kim. It was pleasant surprise on it's own, but the class consensus that Chloe was Improving this year seemed to be pretty true. It was nice.  

 

"I'm just happy to be here." Sabrina smiled happily.

 

"Watch this guys, I'm about to show you how a real guy pumps balloons." Kim said challengingly as he put the balloon onto the bike pump.

 

"That's what he said." Nathaniel deadpanned. Juleka choked on the water she was drinking at that moment.

 

"Fantastic, great job, life completed, we can all go home now." Chloe said, as the group snickered. Juleka smiled. Alya smiled at them all before turning to her phone and began to scroll for Marinette's number.

 

"I'll call Marinette right now, we should be done by the time she gets here, it's a shame we're a bit behind schedule but we're doing great job, guys! This is gonna be the best birthday for Marinette, ever!" Alya said, pressing 'call'. Juleka stared at her quietly as Kim began to aggressively inflate the balloons.

 

“Oh hey.”

Alya blinked with surprise, mid wiping away her tears to see Panthera Noire curled up in a ball leaning against the wall, eyes red and puffy under her dark shimmering mask and looking like, well, a total mess.

Panthera sniffed, blinking up at her “So like.. you get ditched by your crush who abandoned you for a prince too?”

 

Juleka's eyes softened. That was so long ago, Juleka wondered if Alya still felt those feelings for Marinette... no wonder she wanted this birthday to be perfect...

 

"Sorry, I'm running late. Can you meet me at the park? We'll, uh-" Juleka was torn from her own train of thought as a loud BAM radiated over the park as Kim exploded his balloon, the rubbery remains splattered over Nathaniel's face. Sabrina wheezed and Alya hurriedly continued her call- " -jam straight from there to the uh, dentist!"

 

Juleka sighed, smiling softly as she took the dead balloon off of Nathaniel's face.

 

Let's hope this goes well.

 

...

 

"Happy birthday Marinette!"

 

Juleka and the class waved and cheered as Alya slid the bandana off from Marinette's eyes. Marinette let out a surprised gasp and beamed as the class circled around her with joy.

 

"Oh you guys!" Marinette sighed very dramatically. But there was nothing but happiness in her expression. Juleka was happy to see her hero partner happy, it's what she deserved. All she could hope for was for nothing Bad to happen.

 

She jinxed it, of course, but Juleka was always a bit of a jinx, wasn't she?

 

They decided to go through presents first, for some reason, Juleka didn't really mind. Her gift was small, just a pair of silverish sewing scissors with an ornate looking design. She found it online for ten bucks, she hoped they'd last, but Marinette looked very happy. Not to mention-

 

She patted the small object in her pocket. I'll give this one to Ladybug, somehow. 

 

"Happy birthday, Marinette!" Adrien smiled, giving her his present. It was surprisingly very small, Juleka honestly expected him to pull out a whole ass pony or something. "I made it myself, I didn't feel like buying you something would really get across what I wanted to say,"

 

"Awh, thanks Adrien!" Marinette beamed. Juleka smiled to herself at that. 

 

Then things, of course, went to shit.

 

Starting with a simple tune-

 

" La Befana comes at night ~ on her shaky broom in flight ~ She gives candy to those who are dandy ~ "

 

They all looked up in shock as a flying- yes flying- fuck mothering Motorcycle came diving downwards. The group jumped backwards as it screeched down onto the ground in a blur of blacks, reds, and greens. An older looking woman- which obviously was now an akuma came striding towards the group- and Juleka immediately began backing up. The akuma, was armed.

 

"N- Nonna!?" Marinette gasped, backing up immediately. 

 

"Uh oh." Lila said. Nonna? Does that mean- grandma? Juleka wondered. Befana scowled, holding up her gun threateningly. They all gasped as another figure swooped down in an angelic white. Even masked, they could tell who Mrs. Cheng was.

 

"You lied to your grandma, Marinetta." Befana growled. Marinette has a grandma? Since when!?  "You hurt me!"

 

"No, I- I didn't know Alya was throwing a surprise party for me..!" Marinette tried to defend herself. Juleka sunk more and more backwards with her classmates, trying to find a way to disappear without tearing her eyes away.

 

She had never seen Alya move so fast as she put herself between Marinette and the akuma with a dark challenging stare.

 

"She's not lying, ma'am! This was a surprise for Her! She wasn't supposed to know! She was being honest with you don't attack her for this-!" Alya shouted.

 

"Alya-!" Marinette exclaimed but Alya kept herself in front of Befana when she began to point the nozzle of the gun towards Alya and Marinette's faces.

 

"And all those candies you pretended to be eating?!" Befana snarled. 

 

"I just didn't want to upset you!" Marinette cried.

 

Befana shook her head, spinning the cylinder of the gun and gesturing it at Marinette's face.

 

"What made me upset was the lies you were telling me! I just wanted to spend time with you, but you didn't, I wanted you to tell me that! I wanted you to actually like spending time with me!" Befana shouted, sounding genuinely heartbroken before shaking her head with anger. "You didn't want to love your grandmother? Fine! I'm not your grandma anymore. From now on, I am only Befana! And I'm going to punish you for all those lies!"

 

Juleka made it to one of the tables and ducked behind it. With it's cover, she continued backwards and hid behind some deeper foliage. Juleka sweated as Befana finally aimed her gun, pulling the trigger. Alya tackled Marinette to the ground, keeping her from getting hit by the glowing shot of light. 

 

Juleka watched as it hit Mylene and they all shrieked, as she was turned completely- into coal.

 

Fuck.

 

"MYLENE NO!" Ivan roared, rushing at Befana with rage before getting hit immediately. This sent the party into immediate disarray, classmates and friends screaming and rushing about, looking for a place to hide. Juleka checked and saw Rose with others. Good. Other people are good, they can protect her. WE need to protect her. No time. She had to leave, Now.  

 

"Plagg- Claw's Out!" Juleka snarled.

 

"WE BACK MOTHER FUCKERS-" Plagg hissed before swirling into her ring. Magic washed over her body and Panthera grinned.

 

...

 

"Alya-"

 

"I'm not leaving my girl hanging! Especially when her akumatized Grandma is trying to ruin her own birthday!" Alya exclaimed as Befana began shooting the party guests. "We'll get you out of here, come on!"

 

But as they ran away, Marinette gasped as a fairy turned version of her Mom flew in their way, eyes blank and soulless. Alya stood in her way but was grabbed by the collar and tossed into a faraway bush with a loud crash.

 

"It's rude to leave while Befana's still speaking to you." The akuma tutted. She aimed her gun but yelped with pain as a stick slammed into it. It clattered across the ground and Befana looked up just in time to see Panthera, sitting up upon the park fence with a grin as she caught her baton back.

 

"I can't speak for all grandmas, I don't really have any, but I don't think a face full of coal is a great grandma birthday present!" The cat hero remarked with a wink.

 

Befana just tsked, "You would look wonderful in white, my pretty kitty."

 

Juleka tilted her head to the side, casually dodging one of the blasts from Befana's gun. Well no, not really. She'd tried it before, really doesn't fit. Also all the shedded hair is obvious. Her tail lashed. Focus. She reminded herself. Ammo or Weapon?

 

"I'm more into black," Panthera purred, waving a hand over her face as she fluttered her lashes. "Make's my pwetty eyes stand out, no?"

 

She dodged a few more shots before touching down onto the dirt with a fancy flip and charging towards Befana, swinging her staff around. Befana ducked under a few swings before kicking the cat hero straight in the stomach. Juleka wheezed, as it knocked the wind out of her in a way but it numbed quick and she managed to upper cut her backwards several steps.

 

Befana growled, holding onto her busted, bloody nose.

 

"So it's Coal for you then! You naughty cat- You! Get this little-!" Befana began- and suddenly Juleka was flying. She shouted with surprise as Fairy Sabine was carrying her upwards in the sky. Taking her higher, higher.

 

"Son of a fuck!" Juleka cursed, she quickly grabbed onto Sabine and began pulling her around, clawing and trying to rip away from her. She kicked the woman in the stomach, muttering a quiet apology, which got her to finally let go.

 

Juleka dived to the ground, making at arc towards one of the buildings. She caught herself just in time, sliding with the momentum of her fall with the arch of the roof and flipped upwards. She hit the dirt with a thump and her ears perked up to a cacophony of screaming and shouts.

 

"Marinette is not a liar! She doesn't- deserve- this- crap- AGh!"

 

"ALYA!" Marinette shrieked.

 

She ran to the scene, watching with her own eyes as Alya, armed with plates, was turned into coal. Then Kim- And then, Rose- oh god her Rose, why did Rose decide to speak and call her attention to herself, god no-

 

"Don't touch Marinette! She's only the nicest person in the world!" Rose cried. Juleka's heart dropped at the next few seconds.

 

"ROSE NO!" She couldn't help but shout, and maybe Rose saw her before she had been hit. But there she had turned, into a pretty little fairy that would fight and kill at Befana- at Hawkmoth's beck and call. Panthera snarled with rage, even as the party turned to her in looks of an akuma's anger, excited fan cheer, and people who were still in the present situation's fear.

 

"It's Panthera Noire!" Adrien exclaimed.

 

"Where the hell have you been!?" Alix shouted.

 

"You miss one akuma and the world is screaming your name, guess I was missed" Panthera muttered dryly.

 

Focus, save the day.

 

She made a dash towards Marinette and hauled her over her shoulder.

 

"I'm getting Bakery Girl to safety!" Juleka shouted at the rest of them, then made eye contact with Chloe who's eyes were wide. She nodded with deep faith before turning and activating her staff. "COVER ME!"

 

She launched herself and Marinette through the air, keeping her partner in disguise safe in her arms and flying them through the air. Panthera ran without looking back. Where would be a good place to hide Marinette? 

 

"You alright?" Juleka asked quickly.

 

"Everyone- they've gotten hurt for me-" Marinette gasped through her breaths. Juleka kept her eyes forward, she didn't know what to say, but let Marinette dig her face into her shoulder for comfort. She decided the Eiffel Tower would do.

 

They landed and Panthera, kneeling down a little, lifted Marinette's face up with a claw.

 

"Chin up, Bakery girl. They got up to save you because they admire you a lot, and clearly for good reasons.." She purred sincerely, we all look up to you, Marinette. "I promise to get your real grandma back safe. Me and Ladybug, of course. Also, Happy Birthday"

 

Panthera added a wink. Marinette let out a sigh and nodded, smiling up at Panthera.

 

"Thank you, Panthera." Marinette said. Juleka turned away and launched back into the horizon. And soon, Ladybug followed after her.

 

...

 

" La Befana comes at night ~ on her shaky broom in flight ~ She gives candy to those who are dandy ~  And only gives coal ~ to brats with soul ~"

 

Rose was the lyricist, so she decided to just whack Befana out of the air.

 

The chase continued through the streets of Paris and to Panthera's non existent luck, they ended up back at the Eiffel Tower. Juleka ran up the side of the tower and with a leap of faith, jumped as far as she could.

 

"Where are you Marinetta! ~ Befana has a special treat for you!" Befana sang as she circled around the tower on her bike.

 

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-"

 

Panthera landed on the back of Befana's seat. They stared at eachother awkwardly, neither really expecting that to work. She blinked before deciding to say something she was totally gonna regret-

 

"Ma'am, do you know what a gilf is?" Panthera asked. Befana stared at her with a dead, tired look in her eye and proceeded to throw Panthera off immediately. "OH FUCKING SHIT- WORTH IT- AAAAAAAAAA-"

 

She wheezed as Ladybug caught her in the nick of team, swinging them back onto the Eiffel Tower's side. Her claws dug into the metal next to Ladybug. Befana pulled out her gun, driving up near them.

 

"What a sweet little creature you are! You'll make a perfect fairy!" Befana said terribly, beginning to shoot rapidly at them. They went two different ways, splitting apart. Juleka danced through the different bars, watching as spots hit by the candy blasts radiated light. Gross.

 

"Thanks but no thanks, Befana!" Ladybug shouted from above.

 

"You can't turn down a gift, you rude little imp!" Befana exclaimed, "You take care of the kitty, my fairies, while I punish this polka-dot brat!"

 

Oh shit the kitty was her! Fuck!

 

Juleka jumped backwards onto the stairs as multiple dive bombing fairies weaved through the Eiffel Tower's beams, swiping over her as she struggled to keep them back. She ran up the stairs, trying to catch up to the red blur that was Ladybug.

 

They met up with each other in the middle.

 

"Panthera! She was dodging her own candies! She isn't Immune!" Ladybug exclaimed.

 

"She also runs out as well!" Juleka added. "She has to refill with-"

 

"-Her candy tin!"

 

"-Her candy flask!"

 

They stared at each other.

 

"It's a tin?" Juleka asked shyly.

 

"Yes, Panthera. It is a tin, not a flask." Ladybug face palmed. Oh, okay that's cool. "But I agree, it's gotta be in there! And to get to it we're gonna need a- Lucky Charm!"

 

They watched her yoyo spring upwards in a ball of light, Juleka smiled before squeaking with surprise and before it'd possibly smash Marinette she caught the red and black spotted Euphonium in her arms. Ladybug tilted her head.

 

"You didn't tell me you played the tuba" Ladybug said cheekily.

 

"It's not a tuba, and I don't" Juleka mumbled, handing it back over to the shorter hero. Ladybug stared at it thoughtfully. 

 

"Guess I'll have to learn then" Ladybug remarked. The two yelped with surprise as several bullets of black shot past them. Panthera grabbed Ladybug protectively as the ground crumbled beneath them and they were sent falling from the Eiffel Tower, several Fairies shoving them down faster.

 

They hit the ground, hard. And the two heroes grimaced with pain. Juleka laid an arm over Marinette's crumbled body protectively, the lucky charm no where in her sight. She hissed at Befana who flew down smugly at their level.

 

"Very naughty. I'm going to have to take your toys away from you." Befana sang. Panthera's claws dug into the ground, reading to fight a hard fight until Ladybug sat up suddenly with her hands up.

 

"Okay. You win, Befana! Guess Panthera will have to-" Ladybug winked at Juleka through gritted teeth "-Show. Where. Marinette. Is. Hiding."

 

Juleka blinked with surprise before looking up weakly.

 

"Y- Yeah- she's right. We give in. I'll show you to your grand daughter." Juleka said, her hands up as well. Please know what you're doing partner.

 

Befana stared at the two, in her own surprise. Her eyes narrowed.

 

"I don't believe you." She said, Shit! Save it Save it save it!

 

"No! No! I-  I'll take you to her myself." Juleka said, standing up. "Cat's honor!"

 

"...Keep an eye on the Ladybug." Befana tsked to her fairies, and with her gun up se gestured for the cat hero to lead. Juleka walked forward, hands still up and giving Ladybug a worried look. She mouthed three words;

 

'I trust you'

 

They made their way up the tower, Juleka trying to make her purposeless walking take as long as possible, faking "I wonder where she went I put her here"s and "I think she went this way I smell a sent" which she couldn't actually do.

 

Then, when there was no where else to go, Juleka opened up a small closet door- and smiled at Befana's realization there was nothing inside.

 

"What is the meaning of this?! She isn't here!" Befana exclaimed, enraged.

 

"Awh, guess I'm a naughty kitty after all, can't help but lie- AGH-" Panthera purred before ducking with surprise as Befana was already throwing haymakers at her. Juleka ducked and managed to even grab one of her wrists but was shaken off when Befana's attention was ripped away by the sight of a moving elevator.

 

"I found you, little darling!" Befana exclaimed, diving off the side of the railing and being retrieved by her flying motorcycle, "You won't get away that easily! Ha ha!"

 

Juleka looked over the rail worriedly but Ladybug ran up next to her with a smile. Freed!

 

"Don't worry, we got this" Ladybug smiled. Ladybug offered a hand and Panthera gingerly took it, as the red hero lowered them both down to the ground level where Befana too landed, awaiting the arrival of the elevator which opened the doors to-

 

-find the fairies, tied up together in a knot of what looked to be a fire hose. Ingenious, Partner.

 

Ladybug yanked the Euphonium over with her yoyo. 

 

"Panthera! The tuba!" Ladybug exclaimed, pointing down at the fire hydrant cover below them.

 

"It's not a Tuba! Cataclysm!"

 

A torrent of water shot out from the hydrant as she slammed her blackened hand over it and soon it was shooting through the Euphonium as a directed jet. Befana turned with surprise, trying to shot at it with her gun but that ended being her own downfall, as the akuma was turned into Coal.

 

Marinette ran over quickly and broke the candy tin in half. 

 

"No more evildoing for you, little akuma! Time to de-evilize!" She shouted, catching the dark butterfly in one swipe. Juleka sat back and watched with a smile as their little hero routine came to today's end.

 

The two smiled together, seeing Befana turn back to her normal. They fist bumped.

 

"Pound it."

 

...

 

The rest of the night went well, Juleka made it back to the party with no one noticing much. She got to meet Marinette's grandma. She was actually kinda sweet, reminded her of what she expected her mom to be in ten more years. Traveling the world and fighting bears. What an icon.

 

They all sang to Marinette as she blew out the candles, taking their own little slices. Juleka took a bite, it was very sweet. 

 

The party lasted a long time, from what Juleka could tell. It was incredible. Juleka managed to even sneak a little dance and kiss in with Rose- Then Rose began to wince.

 

"Is something wrong?" Alix asked. Juleka recognized that expression.

 

"No! I'm good! Guess I'm not feeling completely great from that akuma, y- yknow! Haha!" Rose said light heartedly. "I'll just go sit down really quick. Jules?"

 

Juleka had her hand and they inched off towards some benches, just the two of them. Juleka's eyes thinned.

 

"It's coming back.." Her voice trembled.

 

"It wasn't gone forever," Rose reminded calmly, she took a happy gulp of water. "I'm okay, Juleka. Just a small headache, I'll take some meds when I get home"

 

"We can leave early if you want-" Juleka immediately offered. 

 

"Juleka, I'm okay." Rose said, a bit firmer. Juleka's heart sank and she slowly nodded. Rose looked at her sincerly and lifted her chin up, "You wanna tell me something, don't you, Juleka"

 

Juleka sighed, nodding, again.

 

"I'm just worried for you, after what happened today." Juleka whispered. Rose looked up at Juleka softly and leaned her forehead into her shoulder warmly.

 

"I know," Rose whispered back. 

 

After their little break, Rose took it a bit easier the rest of the party, and soon, on it's own, the party ended and Juleka walked Rose home. Juleka lit up as Rose pressed a small kiss to her cheek, making the goth blush.

 

"Goodnight, Rose" She whispered.

 

"Night, my Moonlight~" Rose sang lovingly, before closing the door. Juleka stared, wide eyed and her face turning a bright red.

 

"You two are cheesier than Cheese" Plagg remarked as Juleka's knees wobbled beneath her. Moonlight.. She let out an awkward little sound. I-is that a pet name? Oh jeez is this how it feels, oh gosh I'm so so sosososososo so gay- I-

 

"Sunbeam"

 

Juleka's own voice echoed in her head, and the blood rush in her head slowed. She stared forward at the door, blankly.

 

"I'm not giving you up, I wanna be with you, that's without a doubt... but when I rejected her- it made my heart truly.. truly twist.. the same way it did when you got hurt.." Rose responded quietly, "I really want to make it up to her, somehow. Clear things up..."

 

Panthera Noire made up her mind.

 

...

 

She crept over the roof top's bricks, she hadn't done this in a long, long time.

 

Juleka inhaled, and counted to ten, before exhaling. Her tail lashed behind her, flower in hand. Here we go.. just talkin' to your girlfriend, nothing big.

 

As quietly as possible, she made her way over to Rose's familiar window. She loomed over it, eyes widened and just peeking over it... just, knock. Just Knock. Come on just knock you dumb-

 

"Panthera?"

 

"WOAH-WAH-WHuh- uh-" Juleka's jaw fell as Rose opened the window before her. Juleka flashed a wide smile.

 

"R- Rooose.... hello, sunbeam." She said, hardly holding any voice reasonably close to Panthera Noire.

 

Rose's eyes were wide as she opened it entirely.

 

"It's been a while." Rose breathed, face dusted pink. Juleka gulped dryly.

 

"It has. How long has it been, since Princess Prom?" She asked, tail twitching with discomfort as she placed the hyacinth onto the side, Rose saw it, but didn't say anything, just soaking the fact that the cat hero was standing right in front of her.

 

“Is that why you haven’t visited since then? Cause I rejected you?” Rose quietly asked, out of genuine curiosity and sadness.

 

Juleka sucked in an awkward breath. It felt weird talking to her girlfriend like this.. now.. it was different before- when she was actively yearning for her- but now that she both had her, but also had to keep a wall between them like this as well? It felt like something out of a tv show.

 

Crazy.

 

“Well.. kinda” Juleka admitted, that part was definitely true. She felt ashamed after Princess Prom and couldn’t look at Rose in the face for a while without feeling horrible “But there were other things, life has been crazy.”

 

“Do you.. hate me?” Rose asked, her voice cracked at that. She sounded so ashamed.

 

Juleka nearly fell off the shingles “No no no! I don’t hate you- why would I ever hate you!?”

 

“Cause you loved me, and I hurt you- and you didn’t show up during Prince Shining..” Rose said weakly.

 

Juleka’s heart dropped and she scooted forward, tenderly wiping away Rose’s growing tears. Rose’s face felt soft under her gloved hands, and she pressed a small kiss to her forehead. Juleka sucked in a breath, and parted the dark drapes of hair from her face.

 

“I could never hate you, Rose.” Panthera smiled sincerely, her eyes softening. “I was sad, sure. But I never was mad at you. As for Prince Shining- some magic complications happened, and I got sick.” She reassured “I’m just happy that.. well.. you’re happy, and you get to be with the person your heart belongs to”

 

“But what about you? Does this mean you deserve to be sad?” Rose asked

 

Panthera just smiled and kissed Rose’s knuckles gingerly, saying nothing to that.

 

“I’ll be okay, my Princess.” She purred, assuring “Knowing you’re in good hands, is all I need.”

 

And I Do hope she is in good hands.. Juleka thought. I wonder if I even deserve this..

 

“Mm.. you know, I meant it when I said I liked you, like, I appreciated the whole knight in shiney leather armor thing, I just.. couldn’t be your princess." Rose muttered softly.

 

“Yeah?” Panthera tilted her head

 

Rose nodded softly, eyes drifting off beyond Panthera “While something inside me felt linked to you, maybe it still does, I needed to be the knight in someone else's story- and that someone already holds my heart.”

 

Rose just sighed sadly, running a hand through Panthera’s hair before she held Panthera's cheek in her hands, in an intimate moment that spanned for ages. Rose could do anything in that moment, Juleka thought, before Rose pulled away.

 

“Thank you, though." Rose whispered "And I’m sorry for.. everything..”

 

“Don’t you dare apologize. I’m happy you’ve found someone you love.” Panthera smiled warmly before she leaned back comfortably. The two sat in a content silence before a smirk stretched over her lips “So- Juleka Couffaine, right?”

 

“H-Wha?” Rose sputtered, eyes snapping towards her wide with flushed cheeks. Oh Lord that was adorable.

 

“Oh come on, it was quite obvious, only a blind cat wouldn’t notice!” Panthera teased, though I guess that makes me the blind cat she thought “And besides, you liked me didn’t you? I think you have a thing for goth girls..”

 

“PANTHERA!”

 

The gothic cat hero let out a soft and relaxed laugh as Rose bapped her on the shoulder repeatedly. They talked through the night, but soon, Panthera's time hanging out with her came to an end. The cat hero waved goodbye to Rose, serenely, and leapt into the night.

 

"See you around, Panthera Noire." Rose whispered.

 

 

 

 

...

 

 

 

 

 

“DAMN IT SHE WAS RIGHT IT WAS A TUBA!” Juleka shrieked, staring distraught at her phone whilst Plagg cackled next to her.

 

 

Chapter 53: Frightningale

Summary:

watching this episode I felt like I was on drugs

this shit wild

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

"...Auditions will be held at the Grand Palais Hotel, is that right? Care to share any more good news?"

"My lips are sealed, but soon, things will be Revealed! ~ So don't be afraid to dance play, come on out and audition today! ~"

 

"Wild stuff..." Luka whistled. Juleka nodded next to him.

 

"It's a bit unreal." She muttered as she laid on his bed. He sat at the foot of it, staring at her phone with wide, in awe eyes. Clara Nightingale. Making not only a song but a music video...

 

"Are you gonna audition for yourself?" Luka asked cheekily.

 

"What? No way." Juleka huffed as he passed the phone back. She heard a small mrrp and looked down for a moment to see Minou climbing up onto the bed. His small little paws tugged at the bed sheets and Luka helped him up. Now up, the small black kitten scrambled over to lay on Juleka's stomach. The goth smiled, and idly pet his small, furry head. "I can't do that, that'd totally out me."

 

"You could Majestia it. Wear glasses, or put your hair up in a funny style." Luka shrugged. Juleka tsked, she set down her phone as Minou became more needy, she rubbed his little ears with her thumbs.

 

"Those comics are dumb, she wears glasses and what- no one recognizes her? Probably isn't what Majestia does anyways." Juleka complained, sitting up straight. "I am Knightowl thank you very much. Or- reverse, Knightowl, I- I guess."

 

"Edgy" Luka teased.

 

"Maybe." Juleka rolled her eyes. "I don't know what I'm gonna do about it, might do nothing at all, I wish they paid us with copyright stuff but I don't have a clue on how that stuff works. The money would be nice."

 

A small buzz came from her phone and Juleka picked it up again. Plagg yawned from the small sleeping space she'd made for him with tissues, cotton, and whatever else that was in her vanity drawer, he popped his head out.

 

"Whazzat..?" He asked, "I need my beauty rest, I was just dreaming about the most Wonderful cheese!-"

 

Luka looked over her shoulder as Juleka's eyebrows knitted together with slight irritation. Luka plucked his guitar, producing an ugly sound. It sounded like her emotions at the moment.

 

"Welp, I guess you Are auditioning." Luka remarked. Juleka groaned.

 

...

 

"You guys think we'll actually make it in?" Mylene asked.

 

They had heard the news that Clara Nightingale was holding auditions for her new music video for her new song Miraculous, based off of, well, the Miraculous Heroes. Juleka didn't know how to feel about it personally, if she had it her way she'd be as uninvolved as possible, she didn't really listen to Clara Nightingale anyways. But... Rose wanted to... and...

 

"It's okay if we don't get it. It's all for fun. Right Jules?" Rose asked, looking up at her with a beaming grin. 

 

Juleka just smiled down at her. Her heart beat like an upbeat drum, going in warm pitter patters that echoed so much love. She had no idea how to describe it. How to express it, so she just held her love tighter.

 

"Right," She whispered. Alix pretended to gag which they all sent a glare to. They'd all meet Marinette there, at the Grand Palais Hotel. But the stroll there itself was nice and peaceful on it's own. Especially with Rose's hand intertwined with her own. 

 

They were auditioning to be extras, it was gonna be fine, it was gonna be fun, and Juleka was sure that five girls in no doubt a huge line wouldn't have the chances of all being picked out. Besides, she was just, plain, boring, invisible Juleka! And that was fine! Totally! Totally fine! Not like modeling still sounded fun, not like the attention sounded breath taking but also life shattering at the same time.

 

Nah nah nah she was fine, Panthera was enough attention grabbing. And she was Done with the spotlight now that the The Play™ was over.

 

They arrived and by God was it packed. It was actually quite dizzying to see the lines. From what she could hear from the guy up front- there was three lines. One for the extras, right, one for the auditions for Ladybug, middle, and the Panthera auditions, on the right. The place was also swarming with bodyguards.

 

The ratio was whacked out. Juleka was baffled by how much more people she saw in the hero lines, especially Ladybug's line which was always just the slightest kick to the shin that she would never admit to be jealousy seeing how it nearly wrapped the street.

 

Eh, at least the Panthera Line is big. Juleka figured, staring at the line dedicated to her own hero persona. Her eyes narrowed. Full of people prettier than you.

 

"You guys!" 

 

They turned, smiling excitedly to greet Marinette who was running over to them. They exchanged hugs and together they all made their way inside, they were lucky to be so early, as they were pretty close to the front. Easy to see the giant star stage. Perhaps it was Marinette as their little lucky charm- haha- ah- get it? 

 

No? Okay. Um- moving on.

 

"Thank you for coming, all of you! This is like a dream come true!" The crowd gasped as a loud voice sang out. Up on the glamorous stage was Clara Nightingale herself, spinning around with an infectious cheer. "Together we'll all dance and sing; It's going to be awesome and amazing! ~"

 

Juleka squeaked, covering her ears about the fan girl-y shrieks from all around her. There on the stage was Clara Nightingale, dancing around like the cameras were already on her as she flashed that little star microphone around.

 

She was actually quite pleasant.

 

"We're gonna be in Clara Nightingale's music video! This is humongous!" Alya cheered excitedly. Marinette squealed, shaking Alya aggressively. Juleka would agree. The set up was very impressive, and a bit over whelming. But she was happy here, to be with her friends. 

 

"I can't believe this is happening!" Marinette cried. Juleka smiled at her friends, squeezing Rose's hand tight as her girlfriend was bouncing on her feet. Clara did a little excited shimmy on stage- continuing to sing happily-

 

"Try-outs are only happening today! So text your friends, and tell them to come right away!" Clara exclaimed. "Keep your cool, and go with the flow- Ladybug- here- we- go! ~"

 

The lines of excited individuals screamed, and Juleka watched from the extra's line as people were trampling their way like a stampede up stage. Juleka had little concept of time, as Clara danced and asked several people, young and old, big and small- er- police officer and not- to do dance moves, acrobatics, general questions- taking masks on- taking masks off.

 

Clara was nice but she thinned that line fast, checking her phone- and checking Alix's general mood as the skater and resorted to just sitting down cause she was bored of standing in general- Juleka had realized that the hero line that felt like it stretched all the way to London- had been completely emptied. Juleka stared with many of the other people there.

 

What now? She wondered, and Clara looked like she was wondering the same thing as she stared at the empty door with concern. There was still plenty of people, but no one in the Panthera line or Extra line seemed to want to volunteer.

 

"What to do.." The popstar whispered under her breath. A few men in black suits began walking up to her, leaning down to whisper in her ear words Juleka couldn't pick up. they sounded angry. They sounded annoyed. They sounded impatient. Clara's eyebrows narrowed with concern, before turning into grief.

 

Her eyes squeezed shut before she forced a nod. The men left and as if nothing happened, Clara turned to the fans once more.

 

"Ah!- so sorry for the complication! Extras will soon begin!" Clara said with a bright, but strained, stressed, smile. "Just give me a second, or a minute or two- I'll figure out what I want you all to do! ~ Feel free to take a break ~ Grab some snacks, but don't be late ~ !"

 

And so Clara danced off stage. Juleka's eyes lifted with concern as the popstar disappeared into her resting van thing that she never knew what to call, a few bodyguards quick to follow behind for no doubt her safety. The group of girls waited patiently at their spot in line. Alix fidgeted with her watch, before snapping it shut.

 

"...was anyone else horrified by Officer Roger in the ladybug outfit?" Alix asked drlyly. The entire group started screaming in horrified agreeing unison. 

 

...

 

Clara closed the door behind her, gripping tightly to her microphone. Be careful with your emotions here in France, Clara. She reminded herself. You were warned of the risks with that super villain. Actual magic, even Majestia is said to be from a different planet.

 

Amazing. She thought. But so dangerous too. The popstar rubbed the space between her eyes. I need to be strong for my fans, they all must be so disappointed. But nothing is fitting right, I need to make this perfect. 

 

The managers she was given weren't her usual trusty ones, they were handed in by Bob Roth records and Agreste, bless his heart, who made all the hero clothing for her. Everything was lined up for her to make it perfect, but nothing was clicking.

 

And then again- the managers.

 

"We need to get on with it Clara, god damn it." "Can't you just use one of them look-alikes." "Are you gonna chose yet?" "We're running out of time." "If you can't decide an actress for Ladybug and Panthera Noire we're either cutting the show entirely or we'll chose it ourselves."

 

Clara inhaled sharply, before nodding to herself. Right. They needed to make decisions. What to do, what to do. She wondered. We don't have any of our Ladybug auditonees here anymore. Oh this is getting me all wound up-

 

She blinked with surprise when she, by chance, glanced at her small make up table. There were some, snacks there. Her newest bodyguard must've put it there, what a sweet heart. She knew that muscle goddess liked her! With her actions, she showed her True character!

 

Clara gasped as it hit her. Her smile stretched wider as she popped a piece of candy in her mouth.

 

"That's it!"

 

...

 

Juleka yawned a bit, nuzzling into Rose's shoulder before a loud slam was heard and Clara came dancing out. People scrambled back to their places in line, some begging 'hey let me in I was here's. Clara made her way to the snack table and picked up a large pan of Chouquettes.

 

"You all must be starving for waiting!"

 

The group of girls sat up from their little circle, the people around them gasping with amazement as Clara herself made her way over to the line. 

 

"It's really really her!" Rose squealed. Juleka hummed in response, it was really cute to see her so excited. Juleka liked seeing Rose happy. It made her happy. I think I'm learning to be happier, too.

 

"Oh, look! She's coming in our direction!" Marinette cried out, bouncing on her feet with uncontrollable excitement. Juleka smiled, imagining Ladybug's little ribbon antenna perking up. It was endearing.

 

Then Clara tripped.

 

"WHOOPS"

 

Crash!

 

"OH SHI-" Alix was caught off by more surrounding gasps. Juleka's jaw fell open but before she could even move, Marinette suddenly was the popstar's side, helping the woman stand with nervousness in her eyes.

 

"C- er- Miss Nightingale! Are you okay!?" Marinette exclaimed. Like a hero. Clara sat up witha  bright, beaming smile. Her eyes glinted with something else. And that's when Juleka realized that doom had hit.

 

"There you are! Here's a hug~" Clara sang, wrapping her arms around Marinette in an excited hug, "Because you are Ladybug!"

 

WHAT

 

The entire group gasped, along with many people from the line. Juleka's eyes widened with fear and shock.

 

Shit. SHIT SHIT SHIT. She couldn't move. No one understood the gravity of this. She could see that little mask placed on Marinette's face- turning her into an exact replica of Ladybug. Maribug. Ladynette. Partner. Juleka's jaw fell wider. MARINETTE PLEASE SAY NO PLEASE SAY NO

 

"What?! I have no idea what you're talking about!" Marinette sputtered before squeaking as Clara pulled her to her feet and twirled her around.

 

"You did what Ladybug would have, just the same! Your heart is pure, like hers-" Clara sang with such bright levity, she dropped Marinette into a very close dip.  "-What's your name?"

 

Marinette's eyes were blown wide open and Juleka was making panicked gestures at her that she wouldn't notice as her face flushed a light shade of pink.

 

"Uh- uh- Marinette?" She said with a nervous smile. Clara beamed, spinning her around again in a smooth motion. Her arm raised up as she got on one knee in front of Marinette to plead-

 

"Marinette! Oh say it's so!" Clara exclaimed, DON'T YOU DARE Juleka mentally screamed. "Will you please play Ladybug in my video?" FUUUUUCK

 

Juleka sweated as Marinette stared down at the expectant Clara. She reached down into her pocket and found Plagg inside, she gave him a fearful smile and he shrugged haplessly, leaving her to glance back up at the waiting crowd and the waiting hero and the waiting star.

 

"Yes! She'd be awesome!" Alya exclaimed, waving her hands enthusiastically. 

 

"Go Marinette! You deserve it!" Rose squealed. Juleka's eyes trained down on the ladybug girl, palms sweaty and shaking with nervous energy. What will she do? Juleka wondered silently.

 

Marinette's mouth fell open as she stared at the world around her, at her purse, then at Clara. Then, she made her mind.

 

"I- I- Th-That's so nice of you, and...I'm one of your hugest fans, but..." She looked at the group, specifically at Alya with a softer expression, "I came here to be an extra with my friends, and I really wanna stay with them."

 

The group gasped, and Juleka stifled her sigh of relief which would have no doubt stuck out by clasping a hand over her mouth and pretending to be shocked. FUCK CLOSE CALL. Juleka let out her sigh quietly and Clara smiled weakly, standing up.

 

"That's a pity, a shame; but I understand it's true." Clara spun around with a smile, putting a comforting hand on Marinette's shoulder. "That's a very cool gesture, very Ladybug of you!"

 

Marinette beamed at that, eyes shining brightly. Clara was about to say something more but Juleka watched from the line, and this time, she could hear what Clara's producers were hissing like writhing snakes, covering the mic.

 

"Marinette was it, please go back in line, we need to have a chat with Ms Nightingale." One said, turning Clara's back to the line and hunching over the popstar. "Damn it Clara what are you thinking? We're down entire lines of people, we can only shoot today, if you're so desperate to chose an extra- we Will chose if needed, unless you want to cancel this all together-"

 

"No!" Clara exclaimed and the line looked worriedly at her. She laughed nervously and turned back to her producers, back towards the line once more, "I promise I'll cut through, I'll try and convince her more, she's perfect, but if she doesn't want to do it I really can't force her.."

 

Assholes... Juleka thought as the producers tsked and stomped off, making last mutters that she better and went to go talk to the neglected video crew who Juleka saw just chilling for most of the day, bored. Clara turned back to the line with an even brighter smile, as if nothing happened.

 

"Um- just um- say if you reconsider- of course you don't have to but um-" Clara began, trying to sound sing song-y but...

 

Oh no.

 

Marinette had a look in her eyes. Juleka's face fell and her chest twisted. Oh... NO.... MARINETTE NOO...

 

"I- I've changed my mind!" Marinette exclaimed, hands shaking in fists with determination "I do wanna be Ladybug!"

 

Clara squealed with delight, and Mr Agreste himself- who appeared from his secretary's tablet- even gave his own thumbs up on the choice. Cementing this roll entirely as people clapped with delight.

 

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK Juleka mentally screamed, she really hoped Rose didn't notice her tightening grip. MARINETTE YOU'VE DOOMED US ALL.

 

...

 

Juleka couldn't explain how horrified she was. Tap, tap, tapping on her knee impatiently. Even when Rose had decided to sit on her lap and send her mind spiraling into the pleasant gay abyss, or super hell, whatever you called it.

 

She was trembling in one of the extra seats, Clara decided that because they were Marinette's friends, they would be allowed to be first picked spots as Extras.

 

And then.. Marinette walked out.

 

Saying it was a perfect replica was ridiculous, as Marinette was of course- already Ladybug, but the seams, the fabric, the amount of spots and black parts on the suit- Mr Agreste had the outfit down to an irreplaceable, miraculous T.

 

All that was missing, was Marinette's Mask. The mask, that would cement, everything.

 

The lines cheered along with her friends and Clara was cheering and spinning with delight. The popstar looked at her producers, searching for acknowledgement in their eyes, but all she got were insistent taps on their watches. Clara cringed before putting on a grin and motioning towards Marinette who looked like a person at their execution. Pale, wide eyed, sweaty.

 

"Presenting- cause we've hit our luck! Our very own Marinette Dupain-Cheng, as Ladybug! ~" Clara sang into her mic with excitement. Marinette awkwardly waved and Alya cheered very loudly. "And now, without further a do- our favorite goth minou!~ Come on!"

 

Seeing people like herself, not like herself, doing impressions of her, trying to imitate her, it made Juleka feel rather flustered and self aware. Oh god why is flirting part of my persona? She wondered for the first time in a while with embarrassment, trying to hide behind Rose from the most recent sight of a very clear to be cosplayer.

 

It was especially embarrassing cause Rose was very into it for, obvious reasons.

 

Juleka stared up at Marinette, trying to deal with kids, teens, adults.. men??? Lines upon lines- but once more, they hit their original problem again. And like that, the line was growing more and more empty by the second. Juleka's head lowered.

 

She had a bad feeling about this...

 

"We're not liking that you chose some unexperienced kid who was signing up for the extra, Clara." One of the producers bit out next to her. Juleka's ears pricked up as the two adults stood by the trailer the girls had all been sat by, they were all distracted, leaving only the goth to listen.

 

"You told me to pick already. I picked." Clara snapped back quietly. Juleka pretended not to listen but she couldn't help but glance to see her expression, scrunched up, and focused. Juleka's eyes narrowed, leaning off of Rose to stare completely at them.

 

"Could you lay off, maybe?" Juleka snarled at the producer. Her eyes narrowed darkly as she saw them taken by surprise, "I doubt your choices will be any good. The internet these days can usually tell money bag yankers like you are trying to target for popularity instead of quality, you better listen to the Actual Professional here.."

 

The two stared in surprise and it actually caught the attention of a few of the girls.

 

"Uh, something wrong, girl?" Alya asked, looking up from her phone which was recording. The producer stared at it and paled, shrinking off away from Clara who stared right at Juleka with a hard to explain expression.

 

"Did something happen, Juleka?" Rose tilted her head back to Juleka concernedly. Juleka felt her strength drop underneath their gazes, throat drying uncomfortably. She had no idea what to even say.

 

"Ah- w-well um.." Juleka struggled to find her own words.

 

"It was nothing, Miss Juleka was it?" Clara tilted her head "I'd like to borrow you to the snack table, just for a little bit."

 

"Oh um.." Juleka looked at the others, and watched haplessly as Rose scooched off her lap for her to move, "O- Okay.."

 

She kept her back hunched, and her head down as she followed behind the star, she had been getting a bit self conscious about her height as of late. Juleka didn't want to seem intimidating to anyone, as she felt herself getting a little taller by the day.

 

But nonetheless, Clara didn't seem to mind as she lead the goth away from her friends and stage and spotlight, leaving Marinette to judge the stream of Pantheras. 

 

"How about a drink? There's few options, so no need to think. ~" Clara offered, reaching for a bottle of fanta. Juleka swore her mouth opened but she didn't know what to say.

 

"Um, sure?" 

 

She was unsure about this, She was unsure about this, She was unsure about this, She was unsure about this, She was unsure about this, She was unsure about this, She-

 

Juleka saw it begin to happen before it did.

 

"A- Ah watch-"

 

Out.

 

Clara gasped with surprise as Juleka managed to grab the cup of drink before it had fallen on her, by gosh it would've been bad if she had gotten this all spilt over her instead of- Juleka. She tsked with disgust, seeing her clothes ruined by the spilt drink over her sleeves and dripping from her favorite gloves...

 

"Ah.. shit." Juleka muttered.

 

"Oh my! I'm sor-ry! ~" Clara exclaimed. "The tilt of the cup, a detail I didn't even See!"

 

"It's okay.." Juleka muttered quickly, trying to shake it off to no avail. She wasn't looking forward to washing these. "I'll have to wash these off somehow or they might stain or get sticky..."

 

"Of course of course, though..." Clara took her by her wet hands, and smiled up at her with a glint in her eyes, that told Juleka that she had been Fooled. "We do have some extra clothing if you want, it won't be far- so long as you would be.. our Panthera Noire ~ !"

 

Oh no.

 

...

 

Juleka held the Panthera mask in her hand, sweating.

 

Of course she had no idea how to say No.

 

Juleka tugged at her hair painfully as her mind swam with spiraling thoughts and screams. GOD DAMN IT GOD DAMN IT GOD DAMN IT WHAT WAS I THINKING! THIS IS SO STUPID!

 

Plagg meanwhile, was gawking at the work like some old, experienced, fashionista.

 

"Great choice of fabric! And these seams!" Plagg exclaimed, swirling around her with wide, emerald eyes. He gasped. "Amazing craftsmanship! Looks exactly like the Real Thing! Amazing! Five star cheese all around! I applaud this work! Fantastic!"

 

Juleka blushed as she stared at herself in the mirror. He was right, just like Ladybug, the suit was flawless. It was like she was wearing the real thing. Changing into it physically gave her some real perspective in what the hell she was wearing and she was actually quite embarrassed.

 

She stared at herself, bangs pooling over one side of her copper- not green slitted eyes- as the small cat head band placed upon her head lacked any life or movement. Same with the tail. Juleka blinked. Her eyes felt heavy. How the hell did she get into this situation, the one situation she didn't want to be in.

 

"This feels wrong, I can't wear this, I need to go home." Juleka mumbled, trying to hide behind her hair, as if it would hide her away from her own reflection. Plagg just hummed, swirling around to look at her with a tilted head. Like he was judging her. 

 

"Yeah, I've always found that little bell collar so ridiculous!" Plagg teased, waving a little paw "And the whole thing with the chains is so jangly too, it's gonna get caught in something.. unless that's what you want, no judging."

 

She blushed more, "I- no! I mean- uh- well- yeah no! I mean No!"

 

"Does it make it worse than the suit is made in a way that you'd want?" Plagg tilted his head before making a baby voice, "As in that dis is what youw wanted dis entiwe time?" 

 

Juleka growled, "I mean that everyone's gonna realize that I'm the real Panthera Noire, Plagg! No one notices for some reason, but really, Plagg- neither me or Ladybug actually change our looks much as Panthera and Ladybug!"

 

"Oh yeahhhh that. Eh, people are blind, relax" Plagg shrugged lightheartedly. Juleka tugged at her fake ears.

 

"HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO RELAX!" She cried. Plagg cringed.

 

"Okay okay!" Plagg exclaimed, he rubbed his paw against his chin, as if he was stroking it. "Let's see.. fine I'll try and comfort you by telling you why no one recognizes you and Ladybug. It's the glamour."

 

"Glamour?"

 

"A special but very subtle magic that disguises people." Plagg yawned lazily. "All miraculous apply their holders with it to protect their identities even if their actual transformations themselves don't shake that much up. You'll be fine! So long as it's not too obvious."

 

"Too obvious! Right!" Juleka sighed. She stared at herself in the mirror and thought about Marinette. "No wonder she didn't wear her mask, but.."

 

Juleka's eyes narrowed.

 

"I just gotta act not like Panthera Noire... I gotta act like... 'Juleka' then. How does 'Juleka' act.." Juleka wondered out loud. She put in the mask, even if it looked weird seeing dark red instead of green. She began trying to search through her mind. Shy? Weak? Pathetic? Invisible? Quiet? A mess?  She shook her head. Okay okay- no- um- well not exactly no but- those shouldn't work- what does Rose describe me as...

 

She thought for a second and was overwhelmed by memories of heart exploding warmth and love and she had to shove it down immediately as her face bloomed red. Juleka patted her blushy face. How am I so lucky? I can't match up to those impossibilities. Self hate route it is. As always.

 

"Oh Panthera !~"

 

A few rhythmic knocks hit her door and Juleka yelped. This was going to be a terrible day.

 

"Are your ready ?~"

 

Juleka inhaled sharply, making sure her actual ring was secured on her finger as she hid the costume prop one. No one would notice, hopefully. She made eye contact with Plagg who just gave a shrug, flying into her pocket.

 

"Hopefully I get fired.." Juleka groaned, opening the door. 

 

She was met with fan girl like screams. Juleka cringed, she almost reached back to hide in her hood, but she forgot that she had decided to remove that from her newest jacket in exchange for her rolled up sleeves, so she hid beneath her bangs as she nervously smiled under the spotlight and waved. 

 

There was no rush of magical energy, keeping her upbeat and strong enough to hold a confident smile, she felt shy and awkward, so, plus one for the 'don't be recognized' negative points for 'being an awkward wimp in general'.

 

"And for our rising star-"

 

"N- No way!"

 

"-Juleka Couffaine, as Panthera Noire!"

 

Juleka flushed with embarrassment as she could hear Rose squeal a sound that sounded really High from her row of seats, trying to hide behind her hair as she stood next to the slack jawed Marinette. She wilted beneath the girl's gaze but tried not to show it, that much.

 

"I- J- Juleka?!" Marinette sputtered, her eyes were wide open with shock. "That's um... a nice cospal- costume? Costume. Um- how did-"

 

"I was duped." Juleka whined, as the crowd cheered before them.

 

...

 

Juleka was really hoping, that today, would be easy.

 

She had plans. She wanted to go get some Lemon cake, or maybe text Rose today and send unreasonable amounts of cat tiktoks that she hoped she'd like. She didn't want to be standing on a stage, trying her best to not act like herself by acting like herself, next to her equally bad at acting partner who didn't know she was her partner- in fronted of her Girlfriend- in front of Clara Nightingale-

 

While also dressed in a leather cat costume.

 

Dancing to the beat of a pop song was hard, dancing to the beat of a pop song and trying to be in sync with Marinette was hard, and Juleka suppressing her Panthera persona from going on auto pilot was Really hard.

 

"You two are doing great! This duo must've been fate! Let's take a quick break- but please- don't be late ~!" Clara said, dancing off to go get water, leaving the two "Not" Heroes to breath and actually stand for a moment. 

 

"You look so pretty Juleka!" Rose swooned as the girls leaned against the stage from the floor.

 

"Who knew you'd look so much like Panthera Noire!" Alya said, holding up her phone at the goth.

 

"Yeah.." Marinette whispered. Juleka flushed underneath their attention, trying to shield her face with her hands.

 

"It's nothing- it's- it's not that awesome.. or good.. Just goth." Juleka mumbled under her breath. AM I DOING IT? AM I DOING THE JULEKA? "This is rather overwhelming, actually.. I wasn't really prepared to be part of this video as anything special..."

 

"Nonsense nonsense nonsense!" Rose waved her hands quickly, her face a soft pink. "I think you look wonderful!"

 

Juleka blinked at her before feeling her face become very hot.

 

"And now you don't look like Panthera Noire at all! Haha!" Alix teased, pointing at her very blushy face. "Nah you don't got the confidence for her, no offense."

 

Juleka covered her face, she was going to explode at any second.

 

"Yeah-" she mumbled, tugging at her hair awkwardly, "-none taken."

 

Then things got Worse.

 

Chloe arrived. Which isn't a necessarily bad thing, in fact Juleka had hung out with Chloe last Tuesday, as Panthera of course but she digresses, but Chloe had come to Audition. As Ladybug. 

 

Juleka watched it all go down hill, she didn't know shit to say, she was impressed with Chloe's audition! It was really good! The producers especially loved it, demanding Chloe would be Ladybug. But Marinette was here, Gabriel said no, and Clara had to break it herself, gently of course.

 

"I'm really sorry, what's-your-name," Clara said "But you can still be an extra in the video, if you're game!"

 

"MY NAME IS- ugh never mind you're not even from Paris, Ridiculous of me." Chloe sighed, taking the blue wig off defeatedly. "Well this sucks, but, that's on me I suppose for trying to squeeze in that last minute Mani-Pedi plus back massage. Oh well. I suppose this will just be done with out me, your losses"

 

"You're taking this with fantastic grace, I'm proud of you, Chlo" Panthera smiled, Chloe stared at her with wide surprised eyes and Juleka squeaked, shaking her head. "I- I suppose.." She added with a mumble.

 

"Thank you for trying out whoever you are, you did more than fine! But I have to say; better luck next time!" Clara said lightheartedly but things just, went bad. Juleka can't say what happened, but the producers were mad. Mad at all the choices.

 

"You're subjecting Andre Bourgeois' daughter to merely an extra? An extra, Clara!? Are you trying to get us all fired!?"

 

"I- no seriously I'm fine with this why is everyone mad-" Chloe deadpanned but was interrupted by Mr Bourgeois himself who was waving his hands everywhere.

 

"My Chloe cannot have Just Being an Extra! Not only she- but her Mother will be Distraught by this failure!" Chloe flinched at that, trying to speak again as her father exclaimed this. Clara held up some defensive hands.

 

"I- I don't understand what I did wrong here- I-" Clara sputtered, bewildered.

 

"I'm literally fine with not being Ladybug!" Chloe waved her arms, trying to get everyone's attention, "I should've been it, obvi', but like-"

 

"SEE SHE'S ABSOLUTELY DISTRAUGHT!"

 

"God damn-" Chloe face palmed. The rest of the girls face palmed with her.

 

Clara exploded, "I DON'T GET WHAT I'M DOING WRONG! WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME!? I JUST WANT TO MAKE MY FANS HAPPY ND CREATE AN ARTISITIC, GOOD, MUSIC VIDEO IN HONOR OF THE HEROES!"

 

"I want you to Shut UP!" The main producer shouted, as he ripped Clara's microphone in a rage, who's star pattern glittered and shined- and threw it to the ground. It cracked on impact. Juleka covered her face with shock and Clara gasped with horror. The producer grimaced, backing up a little before steeling himself. "We're done here."

 

"W- What do you mean?" Clara sputtered, looking up at the man bewilderedly. The producer stared at her with disappointed eyes.

 

"It means no more dancing, no more singing today," The producer spat, "The nightingale can spread her wings, and fly away! See how you like those dumb rhymes..."

 

And he stomped off the stage. Juleka snarled, staring at him. Her hands twitched to punch him in the nose, and see it bend the wrong way. That dick...

 

"M- Miss Nightingale?" Marinette reached out towards the distraught popstar, who had knelt down to survey the damages of her beloved token, before they all watched Clara sob over it, grabbing the piece and running off of the stage, towards her van.

 

"Clara!"

 

A figure was crossing her path, tall, dark skin, very familiar eyes, with large muscular frame who was barely masked by a barely professional bodyguard suit. Clara rushed past the woman, still crying.

 

"This ruins all of my plans! I'm so sorry, my beloved fans!" Clara cried.

 

"Clara!" The woman exclaimed, but the hall was echoed by the loud slam of the door. The bodyguard woman stepped back away from it in confusion and concern. "What in the.. what happened while I was takin' a bathroom break?"

 

"Nora!?" Alya shouted, pushing past Juleka and Marinette. "What the hell are you doing here!?"

 

The group had gathered back near the extras trailer, while the line of extras begin to sorta of scatter out of line and wait aimlessly for Clara's hopeful return. Chloe was gone, arguing with her dad no doubt for that entire disaster and Juleka and Marinette changed out of their costumes as soon as they could.

 

Rose happily lent her sweatshirt when Juleka explained that it had been spilt on, which was very sweet and Juleka wore it happily even though it was a bit small, and very, very very pink.

 

"You look cute" Rose whispered, leaned on Juleka's shoulder lovingly. "Though- You looked cute as Panthera too, totally fit."

 

Juleka blushed. She was doing that a lot today

 

After that, the small group sat with the bodyguard- er- Nora. Nora Cesaire, Alya's sister. Who apparently boxed for a living, or at least used to, till she got this new body guard gig. Juleka didn't even know Alya had a sister.

 

"I hope she's okay." Nora said, scratching the back of her neck, "I uh, listened to some of her songs before, funny that we're around the same age, and she always insists that it's me that body guards her the closest. Guess it's cause I'm a pretty good bodyguard?"

 

"Uh huh. Yep sis. It must be because you're a fantastic Bodyguard." Alya deadpanned, causing the group to chuckle. Nora laughed full heartedly, those sorta deep stomach laughs that shook her entire muscled frame, before her face scrunched up with confusion.

 

"Wait I don't get it." Nora said. Alya face palmed.

 

Then a cackle echoed through the Grand Palais Hotel and they all stood up with shock.

 

"IS THAT MOTHER FUCKING HATSUNE MIKU!?"

 

"C- Clara!?"

 

Frightningale just laughed as she stood on top of the trailer. She looked like Harley Quin and Hatsune Miku's fuck child. Eyes glittery with madness. She launched upwards and slammed down onto the catwalk, spinning and skipping down threateningly as people backed up with fear.

 

"Sing, dance or rhyme, Or you'll be frozen in no time! ~" She cackled. Frightningale extended out her microphone and in a quick whip from the glowing extension from her weapon, they watched many of the producers, Chloe, and Mr Bourgeois were hit. Chloe stared at her hands, as her entire body seemed to glow a light pink.

 

"Chloe!" Alix shouted.

 

"Clara what the hell is-" The producer began before they watched with horror as his body cracked- then was completely consumed over a shiny, pink, plastic like substance- turning him into a statue. The hall screamed, running in fear as the unhinged Frightningale laughed and laughed, whipping extras and workers, and fans everywhere.

 

"Alix.. Dad-" Chloe began, reaching out fearfully before being turned as well.

 

"CHLOE!" Juleka cried out, before ducking backwards and dragging Rose down with her for cover. "RUN!"

 

"Chloe! No!" Andre screamed, mortified. He yelped with fear as Frightningale looked at him. The plastic was already beginning to climb up his legs. "Please! Please! I'll keep up this rhyme- Don't make me freeze, not this time!"

 

Juleka watched as the plastic receded, at least, for that moment. Frightningale giggled.

 

"Oh, bravo! And you've got the right tempo!" Frightningale said, making a fake slow clap "But now's not the time to be a big lug- I've got to find the Real Panthera Noire and Ladybug!~ HAHA-"

 

The akuma ran off, hitting people on the way who stumbled and screamed- turning into a land of statues. Rose held her arm tightly and Juleka was dragged away with her to a place to hide with the rest of the girls, behind the trailer. She looked down at her ring worriedly.

 

"We're all here, right?" Mylene heaved. 

 

"I think so.. all except Chloe and..." Alix trailed off. Juleka's eyes widened.

 

"Marinette!" Alya and Juleka exclaimed at the same time. Juleka needed to get out of here somehow. But how? An opening. She decided, slinking backwards. Find the opening.

 

"Oh no! What if she ran off to do one of her mysterious, unexplained, really long bathroom breaks during akumas!" Rose cried out with horror, clapping her face with her hands as she trembled "She's going to get hurt!"

 

"I'll go get her!" Alya snarled, beginning to run off.

 

"Wait don't be a he-" Alix watched Alya already gone. The skater deflated, hiding her face with her hat like a facepalm. "-ro... right... of course."

 

"She also needs Ladyblog footage.." Mylene sighed, rubbing the space between her eyes.

 

"Wait.." Rose looked around, her face paled. "Where is Juleka!?"

 

...

 

"Song and dance will make the world a better place. Don't agree with me? Ha! Then you're a disgrace!"

 

"I can help you if you give me your akuma!"

 

"I won't let you take my akuma away. I like the new me, and I'm here to stay! AGH-"

 

Frightningale crashed towards the ground as she tripped underneath an unseen force. She looked up with a glare, seeing Panthera Noire looking down at her with a smug grin, tail whipping around behind her. 

 

"Dancing without me? I'm so hurt. You're gonna make this alley cat feel lonely." Juleka purred, dodging out of the way from a kick and watched as Frightningale leapt from the ground. She spun through the air weightlessly before landing on top of the Grand Palais with a glare.

 

"You're like all the others; but you can't silence me! I'm just trying to make the world better, can't you see?" Frightningale screamed from above with rage. Juleka picked up her staff lazily and stood next to Ladybug with a smile.

 

"Here for an autograph as well, Partner?" Juleka tilted her head teasingly, smile stretching widely. 

 

"No time for those just yet! We've got a popstar to save!" Ladybug exclaimed.

 

"Do you really think the two of you- Can win this battle through and through?" Frightningale taunted with a spin and a dance.

 

"Two is better than one!" Ladybug remarked, "Take the left, I'll take the right!"

 

"Right behind you, partner! Not literally."

 

They scaled up the Grand Palais, Juleka flipped onto the top of the roof, snarling a the akuma who merely grinned at the two heroes corning her on both sides. She launched at the woman, pole in her hands and ready to bash her across the head.

 

Frightningale smirked.

 

She danced away from both attacks- Juleka yelped, dodging under Ladybug's yoyo and fell backwards to avoid the quick snap of Frightningale's whip. Juleka scraped across the ground, flipping the hair out of her face.

 

"Panthera!" Ladybug shouted, frustrated.

 

"Sorry!" Panthera shouted back, trying to run in from the side at an angle but Ladybug decided to attack at the same time. Frightningale launched through the air- sending Panthera stumbling and yanked down towards Ladybug. The two yelped, bowled over into the ground. Juleka hissed with pain before yelping as a sharp stinging pain cracked across her back- her eyes slowly opened and she saw Ladybug beneath her, both her and the red hero glowing a soft pink.

 

They'd been hit. Shit!

 

"Welcome to my musical show! I hope it will be your fatal blow! ~" Frightningale cackled. Juleka grimaced with anger, standing up and beginning to charge but was yanked back by a wide eyed Ladybug.

 

"Wait! Stay right here and dance, Or else you'll be frozen..." Ladybug sweated as plastic began to crawl up her arm, "..uh, without a chance!"

 

It disappeared. Juleka grimaced. Damn it! Rose is a lyricist! I'm not good at this but... She looked down to see her leg beginning to become encased in plastic.

 

"Fff...Yeah, you're right. We have to rhyme." Juleka said, annoyed. Her eyes narrowed, "Not so easy, um...all the time."

 

"That was good, now it's our turn!" Ladybug shouted, spinning her yoyo. "Don't give up! We'll keep on dancing, rhyming, fighting..."

 

"...and hit it where it hurts!" Panthera grinned, rushing at Frightningale once more. Without the tension of being hit, the two danced around the akuma, grunting and growling as she dodged and resisted their hits. Juleka clawed at her face, trying to reach that damn mic, but she was always three dance moves ahead.

 

Juleka let out a roar of pain as another whip threw her backwards. She hissed as it stung deeply, and she reached upwards with shock to feel that the force was strong enough to rip through her very jacket. Sweat rolled down her face with fear before yelping with shock as she dodged another attack.

 

"It's stronger than it looks, partner! Even when the battle has been made fair!" Juleka shouted, landing next to the red heroine who grimaced. Even Ladybug, queen of agility, had been knicked a few times, her skin a bit red under the scratches.

 

"I know, but we can't give in for a second!" Ladybug shouted back, yelping with pain as Frightningale managed to get a hit in at them. "Though a quick retreat would be good I reckon!"

 

Panthera nodded and pulled Ladybug behind her, grimacing and hissing with pain as she took the brunt of the force, her steps backwards were stumbled and unprecise, as she struggled to dodge and protect Ladybug at the same time. Frightningale's lashes of pink force cracked amongst the sky and echoed through her ears before Ladybug let out a shriek when they hit the edge of the building.

 

"Jump?" Panthera asked.

 

"I think we must!" Ladybug replied. They grasped hands and before Frightningale could lash at them once more- they leapt off the building and disappeared from her view, behind a large bus.

 

The two landed with a grunt, rubbing achily at their numbed wounds. Juleka's eyes narrowed, as she was forced to awkwardly shimmy in place as they were stuck in silence that would lead them to a plastic grave if not.

 

What do we do.. Juleka thought. 

 

"You think you two are being so clever- But soon you'll tire yourselves, and be frozen forever!"

 

It's not in our favor at a glance, Because we constantly have to advance, While keeping up this song and dance. We can leave nothing to chance..!" Ladybug exclaimed, gripping at her ribbons.

 

"Sick rhymes my partner I do agree-" Juleka sighed, messing with her hair tiredly. "But what plan do you possibly see?"

 

Ladybug rubbed her chin before lighting up, "Our last weapon can do her harm. And it's my... Lucky charm!"

 

Was hoping she'd say Lucky harm Juleka thought as the light shined about them, dropping them a pair of..

 

Hand...cuffs...

 

"...No." Juleka deadpanned.

 

"Rhyme it, Panthera!" Ladybug exclaimed, holding them in her hands "Or you'll get turned into a statue-uh."

 

Juleka growled, rubbing the space between her eyes before gasping as she already saw herself being turned to plastic

 

"No as in no!" Juleka exclaimed, "Besides, how do we even use these to defeat our foe!?"

 

"They're not for her; they're meant for us!" Ladybug announced, "I've got a plan but for now Panthera- do your stuff!"

 

Juleka sighed, "With how much shit I go through, you'd argue that I'm into masochism. I promise you not, trust me, but for now; Catalcysm!"

 

Frightningale lifted up the bus with rage.

 

"THERE YOU TWO ARE BIDING! NO MORE OF THAT SILLY LITTLE HIDING!" Frightningale shouted before yelping with fright as Two legs kicked her straight in the gut, sending her flying and flipping backwards into the statue scattered street.

 

Arms locked along with their legs, Ladybug grinned a toothy smile.

 

"Connected, we're one; our movements are synched!" Ladybug exclaimed as they danced forward. Panthera's cataclysm claw outstretched dangerously as it rippled with dark,  bubbly energy.

 

"So let's get a move on, because we are linked!" Panthera growled with a grin as they launched forward. Frightningale screeched as the two heroes pushed them back. Juleka laughed, looking down at Ladybug as they spun in a silent dance only they could hear, coupled by their own giggles.

 

They were nearing the hotel now.

 

"Partner!" Juleka exclaimed.

 

"A step further!" Marinette shouted back, stars in her eyes as she unlocked her yoyo from around their ankles and Panthera spun her with her one free arm- sending her right into the corrupted popstar's chest- the red hero kicking her with her feet and Launching her like a bottle rocket into the Hotel.

 

Frightningale snarled like a wild animal, writhing, and uncontrolled as she practically crawled her way up onto the stage, her last stand.

 

"You little brats! You can't take this from me! And that's the FACTS!" She unleashed hell onto the two and Ladybug unlocked them from the handcuffs, allowing them to dodge the whip's desperate lashes.

 

"When someone's akumatized, We never compromise!" Ladybug exclaimed as they jumped onto the stage.

 

"You're feeling unsteady. You must know you've lost already!" Panthera taunted with a smile.

 

"GRAAAAAAAGHH!" Frightningale screamed, raising her arm up for another stream of blows. Then, Ladybug flipped over Clara's head and grabbed her by her arms, locking her hands together with the cuffs. "NOO!"

 

Ladybug slammed her against the ground, as the small microphone was sent rolling across the ground. Panthera stopped it with her shoe and smiled, picking it up with her cataclysm hand and winked, as she crushed it to dead ash.

 

Gently, she opened up her palm, as a small black butterfly emerged, and it was swiped out of the air with Ladybug's yoyo.

 

Juleka smiled the pain was kissed away by a whirlwind of red bugs, the small rips and tears from her suit mending and a warm relief pooled in her chest as she watched not only the statues of the attacked return to the natural forms- cheering- smiling- but also saw Ladybug herself, looking better. 

 

Her tail twitched. I have to protect her better though, she got hurt a bit today... 

 

Clara shook her head dizzily before lighting up, seeing the two heroes before her.

 

"I was saved by the two of you?" Clara gasped, holding her fixed microphone close to her heart. "How amazing! Too good to be true! ~ It's an honor, to meet the Lady and her Cat- but such a shame my Producer has already said; 'that's that'."

 

"I may have an idea how you can finish your video without anyone getting in your way! A bit more representative of the heroes of Paris- if you're willing to hear?" Ladybug smiled and began to whisper into her Ear.

 

...

 

Juleka couldn't get the song out of her head, humming it on her way home with Rose's hand intertwined with hers. She hadn't taken off that cute little ladybug mask just yet, while Rose wore the Panthera one.

 

"Alya posted the behind the scenes on the blog! It's getting so any likes!" Rose chirped. "People are saying you did a fantastic job, even if you and Marinette didn't up getting any main roles by the end of it."

 

"O- Oh, really?" Juleka whispered, she blushed a little. "That's.. rather sweet. Though, I think I'm happier with this outcome, a bit less suffocating."

 

"Why was the hero suit not comfortable?" Rose asked.

 

"No, the spotlight was uh.." Juleka itched her neck, "Just a bit too much. I'd rather be in the background, for now..."

 

Rose hummed, giving Juleka's hand a loving squeeze as she stared up at her. Her light gaze then fell a little somber, her expression softer, but edged with a focus and a questioning glance. Then she asked-

 

"Where did you go?"

 

"Huh?" Juleka tilted her head. Her hair fell adrift over the side of her face but Rose caught it and scooped it behind Juleka's ear, letting herself stare into Juleka's full, glimmering copper eyes.

 

"You sorta, disappeared today.. during the attack." Rose whispered as they stood at the side of the Seine. "Where did.. you go?"

 

Juleka's mouth fell a little, dry, she didn't know what to say- and to lie- to Rose- it was a disgusting act. Juleka suppressed her grimace and cringe and forced an awkward, embarrassed laugh instead.

 

"I wanted to look for another exit, but I didn't want to bother you guys." Juleka said lightly, "Then, I got lost."

 

Rose blinked widely before laughing.

 

"My wonderful girlfriend, so kind and considering." Rose smiled warmly, caressing Juleka's face. Juleka melted into her hand and giggled with her. Perhaps the day, wasn't overall the worst. Maybe it was a bit, Miraculous.

 

 

 

...

 

"NORA SHE'S INTO YOU" Alya screamed, holding up the photo of Clara Nightingale that day.

 

"I'm sorry she's WHAT!?"

 

 

Notes:

wanted to add more but im way too tired this episode was so badly animated frightningale is hard to spell im gonna go lay down now

clara doesn't actually rhyme all the time it's a marketing thing she does, she still does it 90% time though so she's still a wack ass weirdo (affectionate)

Chapter 54: Gorizilla

Summary:

Parrot's Bizarre Adventure.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

"Mom, Luka, I'm going to the pool with the girls now."

 

"Ah- you'll be careful now will ye?" Anarka looked up from her book. "You got everythin'? Phone charged? You know how to swim right!?"

 

"Ma I know how to swim, and I'm tall enough to stand, I'll be fine." Juleka sighed with a smile, "I'll see you at five."

 

"Bye Jules!" Luka poked his head out of one of the doors and she waved. Have I actually forgotten anything? She wondered. I don't think so, at least, not what I can remember. I can't think of anything... I should be good.

 

Her phone beeped, "Ah, Rose is here. Bye Ma, bye Luka. Bye Minou, bye Parrot."

 

Parrot.

 

He watched with distress as she exited off the boat. He scampered outside, even if it was hard to get up the stairs and stared out in bewilderment as he watched her get in the big metal box thing.

 

He meowed, as the small packed box thingy fell from his mouth.

 

She forgot her lunch.

 

...

 

Hello. This is Parrot. Parrot, is a good cat. Good cat who protects him's family! He had owner before. Thin and sickly. Sheryl was her name. Wrinkly, her hands were cold, but she gave the good num noms all the time. She was lonely, and forgetful, so he always helped her. He grabbed the things for her. He hunted them down. He was a good boy, she said, all the time. He liked being good for his Sheryl.

 

She died though, and her kitten didn't like him. So he was sent to the cold cage place. They kept poking and prodding at him. So he just left in the back entrance they always had. He doesn't think they noticed.

 

Parrot likes food. He was big because of that. But being outside is hard. Other cats don't like him very much, they're very mean, and he's not so smart, or so strong. It's hard to be. Parrot wanted to be warm again. He was raised by Sheryl. He came to her life in a present box. They were so happy. He still misses her.

 

But then a new girl came. 

 

He doesn't know why he was so attached. But all the cats were so nice when they were around her, and he couldn't help but be nice too. And well, he wanted to be nice to her too! She was nice. She brought the foodies sometimes. Her name was Juleka. Juleka was nice but he was so worried.

 

She was so thin! She was so frightened. A frightened kitten! Hardly ate. Poor thing couldn't hunt! Now he couldn't either, rats were scary in this city. But he was good at grabbing things! And following people! So he followed her!

 

Then he met Miss Anarka! Miss Anarka was loud but so nice, and she gave the nice pets. It was warm where she was. So he decided to be a good boy and stay!

 

Juleka was her's Kitten. And Luka was too. So he supposed as a good cat he'd protect them too. And the little ones.

 

Minou was a little kitten. So fiesty. It was so silly! What a funny guy! He would protect him. And the little floaty thing. He smelt like cat. He looked like cat. But he also smelt of dairy so he would not eat. The dairy gave him the tummy troubles after all, Parrot could remember that. 

 

Miss Anarka was surrounded by so many kittens, but she was also so very sad. Sometimes he would meow at her and she wouldn't hear him. Lost in the sadness and sometimes she just couldn't hear. She was nice lady so why would she go through so much pain. He gave her the foodies so why wouldn't he not help?

 

He would stay near the floater house. And come by when it was food time. But then, one day, they left and only Miss Anarka and Luka came home, very scared. And later, Juleka came home too, and she fell asleep for a Long Time.

 

Parrot was so scared. So He was with her all nights. Every night, till she woke up. And he purred and purred and purred hoping she'd feel better.

 

He didn't want her to go like his Sheryl. So he protected her! With Minou! Who was stuck under him. He was beginning to get the assignment, he was proud of his small angry kitten and that day, Parrot decided, to protect all of them.

 

He'd keep Miss Anarka company and lay with her when she got sad, he'd sit with Luka and listen to his big music box he played with that made all the nice sounds and which he wasn't allowed to lay in, he'd sleep in his new bed, he'd eat at 7 am exactly and 7 pm on the dot. And he would hunt down Miss Juleka's things like the good boy he was and he'd get the nice scritches and the rubs.

 

Parrot was a good boy and this was his schedule as a good cat!

 

So this is why he was so distraught, bewildered even, to watch as his kitten ran off into the danger moving box without her food.

 

He began to yowl, flopping down the stairs. MISS ANARKAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

 

The lady woman seemed to jump in her chair.

 

"Parrot? What's wrong buddy, what's wrong. Do ya miss Juleka, me boy?"

 

MISS ANARKA! I NEED TO GET HER HER HUMAN FOODIES. Parrot cried, circling around her legs as she hauled him up into her arms.

 

"She'll be back bud I promise"

 

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM! He cried, whimpering sadly. His fur prickled.

 

"Hey, Ma? Jules left her lunch. I think he's upset about that." Luka somehow appeared. Holding up the foodies box. Thank you Luka, Parrot was very happy with someone getting it... Anarka looked reflectively at it. Her head tilted to the side.

 

"Aye, that's a shame. Guess I'll have to run over there and git it to her..." Anarka began, rubbing her chin with thought.

 

"I can take it, I have my bike."

 

"No no, you should work on your studies."

 

"No Ma, I can do it, rest, you worked a lot today. The pool is not that far away."

 

Parrot's tail swayed. He was happy to be held but he was staring at the little box of foodies. Juleka needed her food. Or else she was going to be sad. What was a pool... he imagined..  ah he knew the thing! The giant human bath tub. Parrot scrambled out of Miss Anarka's arms and grabbed the food box. His humans yelped but he became to run.

 

He was going to make sure his kitten got her food no matter what!

 

"AH PARROT WAIT!"

 

No waiting he declared! He was a good cat on a mission just you watch!

 

...

 

Anarka and Luka watched the fat little cat jump off the Liberty and beat it into the hills. Anarka brushed the cat hair off her shirt and clicked her tongue.

 

"Damn, guess he's got it covered." Anarka remarked.

 

"I hope he doesn't get lost." Luka said, scratching the back of is neck. "Or cat-napped."

 

"He'll be fine"

 

"Are you sure?" Luka asked

 

"Something like that" Anarka shrugged.

 

Minou yawned. He was bored.

 

...

 

Parrot knew what he was doing.

 

Parrot had no idea where he was going but he knew what he was doing! He figured if he walked around enough he'd find Juleka soon! He was a good cat and was gonna get her the food she needed. So she wouldn't be so sad anymore. And he could make her happy! And not so thin! 

 

He was doing such a good job, he's such a good cat, and he was even able to avoid the huge mob of people chasing Bread Lady and another Guy! Without losing the lunchbox!

 

Wait.

 

OH JEEPERS NO HE LOST THE LUNCHBOX.

 

Parrot yowled with fright and turned around immediately seeing the box toppled off to the side. He scrambled over, it had not opened, luckily. Miss Juleka didn't like food when it was dirty.. it's why she never excepted his leaves he hunted down for her. He quickly picked up the fabric up again to carry in his mouth. He had to be more careful!

 

Luckily, he was so focused now! There was no way he was getting off track again!

 

Suddenly the ground was doing the big rumbles.

 

As if the ground was hungry.

 

His body bounced off the ground as it shook and cracked with the sounds of eye piercing stomps against the rock. Parrot slowly turned around, hair raising on end as the world became very dark and covered in shadow.

 

There was this... big... blue... ...hairy man thing but not. Parrot didn't know what this was and he was very frightened. But it was not good! This was not a good thing!

 

His ears flattened against his head as he scurried into an alleyway away from harm, continuing to stare at the big man guy smashing his way down the long street. 

 

I need to get Miss Juleka's foodies to her now! He realized, hobbling out of the alleyway once the coast was clear. The ground was very messed up now but he did his best to run now. It was exhausting so maybe he stopped once, twice... every five seconds.

 

Parrot wobbled on his short stubby legs and fell over next to a trash can. He rested his head on the lunchbox now. How was he gonna get this to her now? He had no idea where the Pool was. What even was a pool? Sheryl never went to the pool. Miss Anarka didn't either, besides The Bath. Pools were just big baths though, right?

 

He didn't actually mind the splashes. In fact the first night Miss Anarka took him in, where he got the first loving bath in such a long time was wonderful. He just couldn't float or paddle. Parrot wasn't actually quite sure if he was gonna make it to Miss Juleka at all today. Or even, make it back home.

 

Then a shadow went by his head. Parrot looked up.

 

"Mow!"

 

He picked up his box and started to hobbling.

 

Miss Juleka wore a weird black suit sometimes. She looked more like he and Minou in it. It made him excited. It meant he could help her better! She wasn't as deaf or blind as other humans anymore, and able to hunt now, that's great! But she always ran off and still didn't eat anything that was good for her. Still so thin, no meat on her bones whatsoever. It made him still so worried. But still!

 

And even then, besides the food and such, she always was running into trouble what was she DOING!?

 

But she was here now! He could get her foodies to her! 

 

Miss Juleka Miss Juleka! He was scampering down the pavement trying to run after her, mewling through his grip on the food box. She was so fast and young and his legs were so small but he wouldn't stop chasing her and this big blue man until she got her food! 

 

He had run all over Paris after them, almost getting smushed multiple times especially when Mr Blue Man picked up the other guy Bread Lady was with before using big building like a giant cat tower. So strange cause he had no claws. But he couldn't wait! He couldn't wait!

 

Where are you now Miss Juleka? She was gone so fast. But he couldn't just wait! Miss Juleka was gonna starve!

 

Miss Juleka!

 

He jumped onto Mr Blue Guy's leg and clung on tightly, trying to climb upwards without losing Miss Juleka's lunchbox. Parrot doesn't know what an Adrien is but maybe they're hungry. He sure was. Maybe Miss Anarka would give him the treats after for reward! 

 

Oh! But he was still doing the climby climbs. Up up up.

 

...

 

"Hey Partner!"

 

"YOU PUT ADRIEN DOWN RIGHT- Hi Panthera! -NOW YOU GIANT GORILLA!"

 

The two heroes landed onto the top of the building with a quick skid. Juleka cracked her neck to the side, a wide smiling playing over her face. 

 

"Giant Gorilla? Stating the obvious there, girl in red and black." She teased playfully. Ladybug chuffed, flicking her yoyo back into place. 

 

"Yeah well, think of something else." Ladybug shot back, arms crossing indignantly. Panthera thought for a moment despite the increasingly rising danger as Gorizilla stomped towards them. She snapped her fingers, smiling.

 

"Blueberry Bitch!" She decided.

 

"SOMEONE SAVE ME!" Adrien called out.

 

"Okay okay- hero time-" Ladybug rolled her eyes, spinning her yoyo beside her. Juleka smiled. Today was going so chaotically, her mom would be impressed.

 

Juleka was initially worried about the pool so she and Alya were talking and now Juleka now has an offered spot on the Ladyblog to take pictures during akuma attacks, no idea if she'll take it but she has it now.

 

Then no one even got in cause Marinette went on an Adrien Bailing Mission from his fans, accidentally caused a city wide chase and hoax that she was his girlfriend, and now King Kong was here!

 

It was actually a bit stressful, she didn't dare want things to get worse. 

 

Course, her bad luck decided to spit in her face when Ladybug was trying to save Adrien and she shouted out;

 

"Is that a cat!?"

 

"A hwuh?" Juleka was trying to pry the fingers of the monstrous beast's fingers open for the struggling, scared Adrien to wriggle through. She turned wildly to see Ladybug confusedly holding- "Parrot!?"

 

Ladybug stared at her, holding the chonky boy with that permanent content expression holding a little lunchbox that she was- meant to- bring to the poooollllooOOHHHHHFUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

 

"This is a cat, Panthera." Ladybug deadpanned.

 

Panthera ducked up from Gorizilla's enraged hand and finally pried his fingers open for Adrien to be freed using her pole. She growled with strain as she forced herself to keep them open, this wasn't what she had in mind with fighting a kaiju like creature. Not like that dope dream where she fought a pink godzilla with bunny ears.

 

She turned to Adrien immediately.

 

"Jump, trust us." She ordered.

 

"OKAY!" Adrien exclaimed, climbing out of the akuma's hands and leaping off his arm, practically dive bombing off the building.

 

"LADYBUG, TRADE!" 

 

"Panthera you- OKAY FINE!"

 

She could hear Gorizilla roaring with uncontrollable rage, bashing against the building and trying to jump after them but failing to do so in an act of trying to not fall on them and thus Adrien-

 

Juleka grabbed Parrot who was falling through the air like he had no idea what he was going on, like no thought was in his mind and held him tightly to her chest, caressing the fat cat that weighed like nothing as Panthera Noire like he was a sack of potatoes.

 

"What is wrong with you, big guy?" She sighed but he just licked her nose, wind ruffling through his fur, and eyes slowly blinking with joy. "Yeah yeah you're cute too, love you too, weirdo."

 

"Mrmmwow"

 

Parrot was a good cat.

 

She decidedly put the lunchbox into her jacket and turned to Ladybug nonchalantly as if they were not falling hundreds of feet through the air. 

 

"Hi Partner" She greeted happily.

 

"Hi Panthera." Ladybug said back, holding a very frightened but also over-the-moon looking Adrien in one arm with her other holding up her yoyo, "Let's not see our limitations of our suits, yeah?" 

 

"You know this is quite relaxing actually-" Panthera began a bit teasingly but Ladybug gave a short look that said; no more jokes- and Juleka shrugged "Alright- holding on-"

 

She held Parrot with one arm and grabbing onto Ladybug- she felt the wind rush out of her lungs as Ladybug gave a yank- and Panthera felt like she was flying as there was now a stop in Ladybug's line- letting them swing around the building with a genuine Tether to the tower.

 

Gorizilla's snarls of rage echoed over them and Juleka could feel her hair waving uncontrollably behind her as they neared an area to drop off Adrien and Parrot. She looked up and she could see his monstrous, looming form beating his chest and digging his claws into the cement above- cracking it. If he wants it- this building is going down. We need to end this soon.

 

They leapt from the building, much to Adrien's relief as his legs basically turned to jelly once they hit the top of a roof.

 

"Thank you both so much-"

 

"Blondie you ought to have a fear of heights at this point- if I had a nickel for every time we've saved Adrien Agreste from an akuma dangling him from a high point-" Panthera began but Ladybug swatted at her shoulder.

 

"Panthera stop teasing he almost died."

 

"That isn't new." Panthera deadpanned, placing Parrot on the ground. He stared at her, distressed, and tried to cling back on her hand- rubbing up on her and mewling worriedly. Juleka sighed.

 

"Dawh, Kitty has a kitty." Ladybug said. Her tail twitched before bending down to stroke Parrot's head.

 

"Stay with him, okay? He needs to be taken care of too." She whispered to the small cat. Parrot meowed, before circling backwards and brushing up against Adrien who let out a short laugh of awe before beginning to pet Parrot as well. 

 

"Hide somewhere safe, okay, Adrien? We'll figure out something soon!" Ladybug said assuring and brave as always.

 

Juleka smiled before tilting her head to Ladybug, "Alright, let's kill the copyright infringement monster."

 

"Good one." Ladybug snorted, as they swung off.

 

...

 

"Pound it."

 

Adrien's bodyguard stood up disheveled as the world around them fixed up. Ladybug playfully bumped her hip against Panthera's, though she was a bit too short and ended up just hitting her upper thigh which was a bit embarrassing.

 

"Was that Your cat? I saw the lunchbox. Did my kitty forget her lunch? Need her cat dad to pick it up for her?" Marinette teased. Panthera let out a short puff of laughter, more smiling with her eyes as she stared down at the ladybug heroine.

 

"Something like that" Panthera chuffed.

 

"What's that supposed to mean?" Marinette asked.

 

"He's just my.. neighbor's cat. I see him often at my.. window. He's sneaky for a chonk." Panthera replied in her little mysterious way, curt grin on her face before it stretched more mischievously. "This akuma was wild, glad I took photos."

 

"You took photos? Come on show me!-"

 

"No way!" Panthera giggled as Marinette did her best to reach for the cat hero's pole too no- shortness- avail. The two laughed, ignoring the beeping of their miraculouses for at least the moment they were sharing. 

 

She was lucky to have Panthera as a best friend. Marinette smiled joyful at that before remembering- the pool! Shoot! Alya! Alya was also her best friend! A best friend she cared about. Oh my GOD they must still be waiting! And she's still in her pajamas under this-

 

"Ah! I gotta go! I'll see you later Panthera BYEEE-

 

Marinette reached the pool in ten minutes. She would've gone faster if she was transformed but when Alya called to check up on her, she didn't want to leave the call, even after she said she was on the way. Hearing Alya's voice made her heart too light. And Marinette couldn't be mad, besides, it at least gave Juleka more time to get back too, as she had- for some reason- disappeared from the group.

 

"Where were you, girl!?" Alya squawked as Juleka appeared out of normal as she usually did.

 

"By GOD do you disappear easily." Alix exclaimed, adjusting her hat. 

 

"I take that as a compliment, sorta." Juleka mumbled, a slight glitter of amusement in her eyes, holding up her phone, "I wanted to take photos for you.."

 

"Yo girl you actually did that for me? No way!" Alya shouted out in surprise as Marinette and the girls gasped at the up close and personal- a bit too close for comfort in Marinette's 'I need to protect civilians' eyes- but they were incredible photos.

 

"Photos for what!?"

 

"The-" Juleka began before getting cut off by a bombastic Alya.

 

"The ladyblog of course! I was just talking about getting more recruits for it and Juleka was like-" She moved her beautifully curly hair in front of one side of her face, her voice deepening in a way that made Marinette chuckle "-that sounds pretty fun actually-"

 

"That's a pretty good impression." Rose commented with a nodding- approving- smiling- Juleka.

 

"-I just can't believe you went and got a picture for me- today!" Alya finished off with a beaming grin. Juleka shyly shrugged, nervously parting at her hair.

 

"Definitely gives me more reasons to disappear during akuma attacks." Juleka mumbled under her breath.

 

"You got somewhere to be?" Mylene asked, tilting her head with confusion. Juleka chuffed.

 

"Something like that." She just smiled. The group laughed and that was their que to finally go to pool. Marinette had a fun time, splashing and swimming with her friends- it was amazing, and she had lots of fun.

 

 

 

She did, however, miss Juleka- with her feet dipped in the water as she sat on it's edge- pulling out a familiar little lunchbox and taking a bite, with a satisfied smile.

 

 

Notes:

Honestly, was this close to making this entire chapter in OwO but im not that mean.

Also Juleka took ten minutes to get back to the girls because she was returning Adrien and Parrot back to their homes. Parrot DOES get his victory treats.

Filler mostly cause I'd rather write Parrot than Wayhem existing. I hope his writing wasn't cheesy, I haven't written from an actual cat cat's perspective before and not like- Catgami from OM.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Chapter 55: Dark Owl

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Juleka loved music, her house practically lived and breathed in it. When they were happy? They played music. Sad? Music. Angry? Music.

 

Because of that, it was often a connection she carried through life constantly, even at school, which was why she joined the art club in the first place. Just an excuse to bring her bass to school and play more with her friends. Maybe even impress them a little bit.

 

It was nice getting validation like that.. though uh- she tried not to be selfish with it. She didn't want to get too big of an ego she was just Okay at it after all- I mean- they should see Luka- Luka was amazing at guitar- and other instruments too- unlike her- she looked up to her big brother so much.

 

Though she'd, of course, never say that.

 

The art club was a bit of an escape, as Nathaniel often quoted; you can say whatever you want and no one will judge you, or only in good fun- so she was quite upset as of late when Mr Damocles decided that after school club time was a no, in fact, people staying after school in general was a no- he'd shove you out himself if he had to just to close the school doors. 

 

Juleka tugged her guitar case closer to her, watching as he looked around suspiciously to make sure no one was watching him as he shut them close. The thought of him being Hawkmoth definitely crossed her mind, but she didn't like that idea, not one bit, and it's not like she had the chance to fully investigate it. But also ah.. she already knew the truth on why he was doing this..

 

...

 

Panthera sighed tiredly and watched as Ladybug held up the hung up Mr Damocles from the tree. Opening her arms up, 'Mr Whiskers' immediately jumped into her arms happily, purring. 

 

"There we go, happy kitty, happy kitty-" She whispered, as the small kitten nuzzled closer to her neck, feeling safe out of the tree. On the other hand...

 

"Mr. Dam- uh- um, Owl! This is the fifth time this week we come to your rescue!" Ladybug said, trying to not hide the annoyance in her tone, trying to lean more on the concerned side. But that's what they were- annoyed. This has been going on for the past two weeks now. Juleka had to be late to a date because of this guy and that's a very personal notch on Juleka's shit list.

 

"You're really going to get hurt one of these days, old man." Juleka mumbled, smiling a little when Whiskers mewled at her. Her eyes narrowed once more at her, very dumb Principle. "At least wear a helmet... so you don't crack your already cracked brain.."

 

"But neither of you wear helmets!" He said, appalled. Ladybug sighed.

 

"Mr. Owl, we've told you already." She said, rubbing the space between her eyes as she slowly lowered him to the ground. "It's not the same for us. We're real superheroes!"

 

"With Magic." Juleka emphasized, passing Whiskers to the young little boy and giving him a little hair ruffle making him beam and squeal with excitement. The sounds of sirens hit her ears and she leaned to see a fire truck making it's way over. She leaned to his mother with a smile, "Good call on the fire fighters, but try and find someone else with a ladder, maybe community service, if there's a fire on the other side of the city that'd be pretty bad if they heard your call first and thought it was a higher emergency. Or invest in a cat leash with a harness."

 

"I see. Thank you, Panthera Noire!" The woman nodded and lead her and his kitten away. Mr Damocles wilted as he was placed safely on the ground.

 

"But-" He began, sitting up. "But I want to be a hero, I've always wanted to be a hero since I was a little boy!"

 

Juleka couldn't control her slightly annoyed sigh as the fire men pulled up with some of the news while Ladybug cringed and decided to speak more.

 

"That's understandable, but please, let us do our Jobs." Ladybug pressed but the man didn't meet her eyes, looking like a toddler not getting his way after being scolded by his two exhausted parents. Which was what this felt like.

 

"Today Ladybug and Panthera Noire had once again come to the aid of the self-proclaimed new superhero, The Owl! Mr Owl, what do you have to say today?" Juleka's ear pricked as she heard the news crew make their way over, a young woman holding up her microphone to Mr Damocles as he stood up. He puffed his chest up with pride.

 

"Thanks to some advice from my good friends Ladybug and Panthera Noire, I am certain I will do better next time!" He declared. She and Ladybug facepalmed. "I will be reviewing my weaponry and engaging in training. Because wherever there's injustice, there's The Owl! OWL MIST-" In a quick fwip he pulled out a can of what looked like yeast and started waving it around aggressively.

 

Juleka sneezed and wheezed as a big 'smoke screen' appeared and when it cleared from her eyes- he was gone! Only for everyone to follow where he was loudly running off to, yelling out 'hoo-hoo's and waving his cape around- running through traffic. She and Ladybug stared in, just, awe, at what a weird man he was as they could hear a loud crash and a car alarm going off.

 

"Ahem- ah-" They turned back to the news casters who were in just amount as shock as they were, the main reporter smiling awkwardly. "Any comments, Ladybug and Panthera Noire?"

 

Ladybug put on her best, reassuring smile, always the first to take on the public " Uh, you know, he's a great guy and his intentions are in the right place- But everyone, please don't copy him, okay? It's very dangerous! And super heroism shouldn't be taken lightly! Not everyone is a superhero crime fighter!"

 

"She's right, don't try this at home, kittens. But you can still be a super person by helping out with your communities, okay?" Panthera winked at the camera.

 

And so the two left for the rest of the day, returning to their lives, before meeting up later, when the sun was setting, to talk.

 

"This is bound to blow up in our faces." Juleka complained, taking a bite out of the lemon cake Marinette so graciously brought with her. Ladybug yawned, head slowly nodding along as the sun colored the sky shades of golds.

 

"And we can't spend all our time watching out for him either..." Ladybug said, she twisted and Panthera's tail twitched when she heard a round of satisfying pops. Ladybug sighed with relief before settling back. "It's turning into a full time job.."

 

"We need to stop him. Tell him this is bullshit." Panthera growled, poking at her pastry angrily.

 

Ladybug gasped, "And shatter the poor man's dream? No way! We can't do that, Panthera!"

 

"He's a grown man! He can live with it!" Juleka crossed her arms, she was so done "He's a principal of a school for god's sake. He's like in his sixties."

 

"Fifties!"

 

"He's in his fifties?" Juleka gasped, squinting in confusion. 

 

"I ASSUME he's in his fifties!" Marinette exclaimed, waving her arms.

 

"He looks like he's going to wither away!"

 

"Noooooo?!" Ladybug was shaking her hands.

 

They two laughed, leaning back on the roof. The two sighed, staring up at the sky. Juleka breathed in and hissed through her teeth. Her eyes weighed down her face, tired. This was getting so annoying.

 

"We're dealing with a man in a mid life crises, Red." Juleka sighed, looking over to her. "What do we do?"

 

Ladybug was quiet for a moment before blinking wide.

 

"I got it."

 

...

 

"You free after school today?" Rose pepped up, skipping next to her. Mr Damocles was at it again today, ushering the kids out. Yelling 'chop-chops!' and such and such. Juleka's hair bristled a bit, as a lace of concern tied into a knot in her chest.

 

"Uh.." Juleka began, trying to bend down a little so it wasn't as hard to talk to her. It felt like she was getting taller and taller these days, aren't growth spurts supposed to end at some point? "I don't think so..."

 

"Aww, really?" Rose said, sounding a bit disappointed. Juleka's heart sank at the thought of having to lie.

 

"I'm always juggling things, you know how it is..." Juleka murmured underneath her breath. Rose nodded along. Juleka looked away. This bites... If we're doing Marinette- or well- Ladybug's plan- I can't be late to Alya's, and we agreed to head out right now. But... who said I wouldn't have time later... She smiled, "I ...I'm going for an hour."

 

"Huh?" Rose looked up.

 

"I'll- only be busy for like, an hour, I can't come immediately, now, but, I can come later, once I finish my.. things up." Juleka smiled happily. Rose beamed before pausing a little.

 

"Jules, spending time with you is all I want, I love it, but I don't want to shoehorn myself in into your life." Rose said concernedly. "You're allowed to have boundaries."

 

"No! No not at all, I mean yes to boundaries but- I want to spend time with you too. That's why I wanted to get 'hanging out with my awesome girlfriend' into my schedule today." Juleka pressed a kiss to Rose's forehead, "You're not forcing yourself in, you've always been part of my life."

 

Rose's eyes widened, sparkling, breathless, before smiling warmly.

 

"I'll see you later then."

 

"At your house?"

 

"Sure, we can cook something together"

 

Juleka smiled, "Sounds amazing, Rose. I love you"

 

"I love you too" Rose smiled back before snorting. Her eyes were so warm at that. She gave Juleka a playful little nudge on her shoulder. "Now go, so you're not late to your Mysterious Things~"

 

"I'll tell you about it!" Juleka laughed, padding forward and cocking her head over her shoulder. Her heart sank a little. And lie at the same time...

 

"I'll see you later!" Rose waved goodbye, and went off her direction.

 

Juleka sighed, feeling Plagg nudge out from beneath her jacket, his catbrow raising.

 

"Romeo has her shit together, what a shocker! And you keep going on and on at home how you hate lying to your little Juliet. And last night, about Mr Owl Guy," Plagg teased. Juleka rolled her eyes.

 

"Barely... I'm still expecting the worst case scenario." She murmured. Plagg rolled his eyes before nudging her with his tiny paw. Juleka rose an eyebrow before he nudged her again with a more pleading look and she sighed, reaching into her pocket where she kept her extra cheese sticks and opened one up for him to chew a piece off of. "I'll try and get you some Camembert."

 

"It better not be the cheap kind you just find at your local market! You know how I like it!" Plagg complained.

 

"I'm not wasting my allowance on you, stinker." Juleka stuck her tongue out.

 

"BuT MY CAMEMBERT!" 

 

...

 

So...

 

To summarize... it didn't go so well...

 

Now, at first, Juleka thought it was actually quite cute. The little toy jewelry of the miraculous Ladybug- er- Marinette made were really cute- and man- Juleka figured at this point that Ladybug was just making excuses to hang out with Alya as her hero self-

 

But somehow Mr Damocles figured out a way to screw it all up, even when it was all for him. But it was actually, really, sad to watch.

 

Like- in a sad- pathetic man thing way. Like he was crying and that's sad but also he's a man in a tight spandex he got at like Party City and a sweater he stole from the dude from Winnie the Poo. Juleka wondered if her bad luck was rubbing off on people cause him getting dragged by the garbage truck was just ridiculous utterly ridiculous.

 

Okay that was definitely rubbed onto her, damn you Chloe therapy sessions. 

 

Juleka looked up from mixing the bowl of frosting. She and Ladybug had left eachother with sad expressions. Ladybug was so sure that the plan would work and her expression after she shamed all of the people who flashed their cameras at Mr Damocles made her stomach twist, even if she had no personal care to the principal.

 

"And this week's biggest loser is the news social network winner, Mr. Damocles! Isn't he a hoot!" The tv sang with a taunting tone as their principal's face blew up on screen, repeating his fall today over and over.

 

"Poor Mr Damocles, I had no clue!" Rose said, looking over her shoulder to see the tv as well. She sighed. "I can't believe he was a real super hero! And now he has to give up on his dream!"

 

Juleka exhaled heavily, "He's a guy with a mid life crises... but... yeah.. this sucks..."

 

"The heroes didn't mean any harm, I'm sure of that..." Rose said, shaking her head. "I just hope Mr Damocles is okay, that fall looked like it hurt, and everyone online is being just so rude!"

 

"You pro cosplay principal then?" Juleka asked lightly, tone laced with a bit of amusement. Rose laughed.

 

"Hm? No. He was super spineless about that time Chloe tried to kick you of the photo remember? Yeah- I'm never forgiving him for that I'm glad I yelled at him that one time. So rude. Not pro Damocles." Rose smiled like she was a living rainbow, practically beaming at Juleka. "I'm just against cyber bullying."

 

I love this woman is all Juleka could think, being around Rose made her feel joy.

 

"I'm so glad." Juleka laughed, bumping Rose a little with her hip. Rose giggled. 

 

"What? That I have human empathy? Or that I yelled at our principal one time?" Rose asked curiously, tilting her head in such a cute way.

 

"I think-" Juleka dipped her finger in the frosting and wiped it on Rose's nose. "-I'm glad I'm just with you."

 

"Oh my god that was so cute-" Rose sputtered out before laughing, "I love you too, my Jules. But..."

 

"B- But?" Juleka's heart raced. But what? Did she do something? Duh of course she did. She's terrible Oh god she upset Rose. What did she do to upset Rose. How can she make it better. Does she want to break up? Wh-

 

"Don't think you can get away with-" Rose dipped her finger into the frosting mix and poked it at Juleka's cheek "-This!"

 

"PffFfffhEY!"

 

Juleka left a few hours later, heart full and thumping out of her chest. She was practically skipping down the road which was a weird sight to be honest she'll admit that she's not much of a skipper that's Rose's thing- when she hit a crowd of people gasping and shouting with fright in front of a store displaying multiple tvs.

 

"Citizens of Paris, listen to me very carefully! For I am- DARK OWL!" A darkly lit man with the most widest owlish eyes stared back at them with a sinister growl, the tv displayed a view of the Eiffel Tower, where a whole ass Bus was hanging upside down. "With just one slight movement, I can release a rope holding onto a city bus and all the animals inside will crash down upon this poor helpless little kitten!"

 

It cried out an innocent meow.

 

"And if anyone should be 'tempt to come and save the animals, beware! It is all rig!" The man, obviously an akuma, obviously Mr Damocles, cackled- changing the screen again to a little diagram. "Liquid nitrogen will automatically douse the feet of the Eiffel Tower, freezing them to -700 degree, and making them more fragile than glass! They will collapse! And the bus will flatten our cute kitten friend! MWAHAHAHAHAHAA"

 

Juleka's jaw fell a little slacked.

 

This was... so stupid.

 

Dark Owl grimaced at the screen, "Ladybug, Panthera Noire the only way you can save these sweet animals is to come and hand your Miraculouses over to me! And you only have 10 minutes! Follow the Owl-Signal! HOO HOO-"

 

The broadcast cut off and Juleka slunk backwards. This felt so stupid, too ridiculous to be true, but if it was and she didn't act now, she'd be in some shit. 

 

"Plagg we got to go-" She whispered into her jacket.

 

"Ughh and for once I thought we'd have a nice day!" He complained as she ran off.

 

...

 

The two landed on a roof top after a few minutes of trying to find 'The Owl Signal'. Night has fallen and Juleka's eyes were pricked and thin as a needle.

 

"There it is." She hissed, pointing upwards at the sky. It looked like a knock off Knightowl signal. Juleka slowly pulled herself to her feet. "What a grudge, we sure ruffled some feathers, haven't we."

 

"We got to get a hold on his detonator and stop the countdown!" Ladybug exclaimed.

 

"I can distract him." Juleka offered. Ladybug smiled.

 

"You're certainly the cat for the job, kitty, even if your charm works better on girls" Ladybug smiled.

 

"They just can't get enough of me" Panthera sighed dramatically. Ladybug laughed freely before she proceeded to press the middle of her yoyo, right on the middle spot. It opened upwards, pushing the black part out and Ladybug picked it up- placing it in her ear with a smile.

 

"Let's stay in touch, shall we?" Ladybug said. Juleka's eyes widened.

 

"Yo- we can do that!? They're like little airpods that's so cool!" Juleka exclaimed, doing the same with the bottom of her staff. She inspected them a little, "I can listen to my tunes while fighting now that's so neat-"

 

Ladybug giggled, "You're eyes are all big and dilated."

 

Juleka blinked and huffed.

 

"Let's just go-"

 

They leaped off in two different directions, but aimed to one place, and one place only.

 

The stadium.

 

...

 

Panthera landed in the middle of the stadium and smiled to herself.

 

"Ohhh Mr Damocles?~" She sang.

 

Her eyes thinned and she hissed with irritation as the lights suddenly flashed on, blinding her for a long beat before her eyes readjusted and she could see the man standing at the top, bellowing with rage.

 

"MY NAME IS NOT MR DAMOCLES! IT IS THE DARK OWL!"

 

Her ears flattened against her head. So he clearly developed that owl screech, or that's his natural voice, okay.

 

Juleka slowly reached her hand up to her ear piece, turning the mic on.

 

"Partner, what do I do?" She whispered.

 

"Just keep him busy, I need time to figure out his akuma."

 

She sighed, and looked back up at Dark Owl.

 

"Hey man, I think we got off on the wrong... claw?" She began uneasily, raising her hands up. "We can team up now, old man. Now that you've got powers. All we ever had were your best interests in mind, we just didn't want you to get hurt!"

 

"You don't even know how it felt! Don't you understand how important secret identities are!? Now no one will see me who I am ever again! All they will see- is that dumb and embarrassing fool Mr Damocles was! Every relationship I have- every relationship I make- it will all lead back to this now don't you get it!?" He cried out.

 

"Uh- yeah! Yeah- I- I do! Very valid reasons to be upset y- yknow?!" Panthera waved her arms about.

 

He stared at her, his eyes glowing in the night.

 

"Where is Ladybug..." He growled. Panthera's ears flattened against her head, tail flicking behind her.

 

"I don't know. She didn't show up! Guess she's running behind!" Panthera bit out. He grimaced down at her, all of his attention was on her. She touched her ear piece, whispering quietly, "Partner.. now would be a great time.."

 

"I'm on it.!"

 

A loud crash of collision rang out from above along with the familiar whizzing sound of Ladybug's yoyo- and the detonator came flying at her. Juleka's jaw opened and she opened her hand up to catch it but it was- taking a long time- to fall-

 

The moment she grabbed it- Juleka gasped as Ladybug came flying at her too. She prioritized saving her- throwing the detonator away to lift her arms up and embrace for Ladybug Impact- catching her in the nick of time. She slid backwards a bit, but Ladybug was safe in her arms and she gently set her back to her feet.

 

Dark Owl picked the detonator up, now on ground level with them. He stared threateningly at them before letting out a guffaw of laughter as he glanced at the detonator once more.

 

"Hoo-Oops! Time flies! This is your last chance to save that helpless kitten!" He taunted, throwing it backwards onto the large cargo crate box in the middle of the stadium. Juleka growled, adjusting her grip on her staff.

 

"I'm purr-sonally offended by this cat hate." She spat.

 

"Heroes don't hurt innocent beings, Dark Owl!" Ladybug exclaimed, spinning her yoyo at her side with a grimace on her face.

 

"Then give me your Miraculouses! Otherwise you will be to blame!" He exclaimed, extending his gun forward, the source of all of this embarrassment, maybe that was the akuma? No it couldn't be- too obvious. But maybe obvious was better? Shit here he comes- "Owl Talons!"

 

The two heroes shouted with shock as they were immediately tangled together in rope by the grappling hook, hitting against the ground painfully. Juleka growled with anger, trying to scrape at the material but it was too thick, too wire like, she couldn't claw through it even with her super strength. She didn't want to waste her power but...

 

"Cataclysm....!" She hissed, and it all turned to dust.

 

She got back to her feet and glowered at the Dark Owl.

 

"I'm getting the detonator!" Panthera shouted, already running towards it, not paying mind to what Ladybug was doing other than hearing that faint shout of 'lucky charm!'. She leapt onto the top of the crate and picked up the small device watching as it fruitlessly counted down. There was only one button, the detonator. But there had to be something else right?

 

She tried breaking it off from the back, if it was an akumatized object, it would've flown out in that moment, but it wasn't, so all she was left with was a box with an LED screen displaying numbers going down tick tick tick tick.

 

It made no sense though, all the battery connected to was that time. There had to be more things if it was a detonator... Unless...!

 

Juleka looked down, this crate wasn't just a crate. There was a clear latch that she was standing on. Fuck.

 

"Panthera!" Ladybug landed next to her and Juleka realized they'd been played.

 

"Shit WAIT-"

 

But she couldn't stop what was already happening and in a snap, the floor fell beneath them and Juleka and Marinette hit the bottom of the cargo crate hard. A loud bang echoing inside. Her eyes opened wide with fright as she watched their one route of escape close- sending them into darkness.

 

...

 

Bang!

 

Bang!

 

Bang!

 

Marinette stood in the middle of the cargo crate, trying to control her breath. She couldn't see any holes in here, so there had to be a limited amount of oxygen in the crate and while the miraculouses protected them from a lot of things, she wasn't sure if death by oxygen deprivation was one she wanted.

 

She looked to the side, Panthera had already used her miraculous so even with the dents she was making with each punch, there was no use to getting out of this crate, and all she had, was this fountain pen. 

 

And beneath them, the room was slowly flooding with whipped cream. Unintimidating on paper, until Dark Owl said it himself after his gloating when he revealed that the bus and cat were just holograms. His voice echoing above them from the security camera.

 

"So, how does it feel to lose for once and be humiliated?!" He let out a deep and destructive cackle before sobering into a more sinister tone, "This next trap, though, is very real. The room you're in is filling up with whipped cream as we speak! Whipped cream's too thick to swim, but too runny to float on... You'll both drown! Softly, but surely, unless that is you accept defeat and give me your Miraculouses!"

 

It was rising, fast, Ladybug could see it but no matter where she looked there was nothing she could spy that was right. No solution to her problems, yet.

 

Bang! 

 

Bang!

 

Bang!

 

Panthera had still been attacking at the dented wall, ever since Dark Owl and she continued to now.

 

"Panthera there's no use to that we got to find a way out!" Ladybug exclaimed. But instead of trust, or at worst, a look of anger in her eyes, Panthera just- didn't hear her.

 

The gothic girl just kept punching and scraping at the hard, rusted metal, without rest- like- as if Panthera was in a trance. Now shin deep within their whip cream prison. Ladybug's concern rose, slowly wading towards her and gently reaching to her shoulder.

 

"Panthera?"

 

Panthera stopped and looked down at her.

 

She had never seen someone so terrified before.

 

Quivering hands, once balled into fists, now shaking and bruised underneath her black gloves. Eyes, normally half lidded with amusement, comfort, or a flirtatious glance now wide and thin with terror and fear. Panthera's hair was standing on end and her mouth opened for no words to come out. Her body was heaving for breath, and she looked like she was pulling at the strings.

 

Ladybug was a super hero.

 

Super hero's did a lot of things.

 

They fought villains, they saved people, and they made an example for people super or not to follow.

 

Panthera Noire, in Ladybug's eyes, was a hero.

 

They spoke quietly to the hurt, they taught lessons, and they made an example for people super or not to follow.

 

Ladybug was a superhero.

 

And she was going to save Them.

 

Ladybug took out her fountain pen lucky charm and her eyes glittered with ideas as they darted around the room. She got this She got this She got this She got this She got this She got this- whew- okay...

 

Taking the pen apart she ran up to the security camera and splattered it's ink over the camera and immediately she could hear Dark Owl's- very disgruntled reaction.

 

"...Do you really think it'll make a difference if I can't see you, Ladybug?" He asked out loud. Ladybug smirked to herself and went wading back to Panthera even as Dark Owl continued to bellow. "There's no way to escape! If you don't give me the Miraculouses now, I'll simply take them after the Owl Cream has buried you!"

 

"Owl cream, sounds kinda nasty doesn't it?" Marinette laughed lightly, bringing Panthera's gaze back to her. Her poor partner looked so lost and scared. Like a small kitten, trapped in a storm. But the light joke brought more awareness in her eyes again, maybe even daring a little smile on her lips. "Do you trust me, Panthera?"

 

Panthera blinked, slowly nodding and in the quietest tone she had ever heard- she could hear Panthera whisper in such a small voice-

 

"...Y-Yes."

 

Marinette inhaled, and this was the scariest part. The part where her mind swirled with terrifying scenarios. The hardest pat of being the tactician is wanting to be prepared for every scenario. And that meant you had to make up a bunch. Limitless what if's with only One solution.

 

What if the ink dried to the point Dark Owl could look through the camera once more? What if she reached into her pocket, and it wasn't there? What if Dark Owl came barging in right now with impatience and ripped them apart to bits himself? What if Panthera learned who she was and hated what she was staring at?

 

Marinette inhaled and Ladybug smiled confidentially at Panthera.

 

"Close your eyes, and no peeking then." She whispered, brushing her hand over Panthera's face and watching as her eyes fluttered shut.

 

"P- Partner.. you're not thinking..." Panthera began shakily.

 

"You win Dark Owl!" Ladybug shouted before hushing once more, promisingly. "It's going to work-" It has to "-trust me."

 

Panthera was silent before nodding with a weak little smile.

 

"I trust you."

 

Marinette gulped as her eyes closed. Trying to nod to herself to reassure her own decisions.

 

"Spots off."

 

...

 

Juleka breathed in and out, trying to struggle for calm.

 

Closing her eyes helped, if just a little bit. It helped her forget about the dangers around them a bit more.

 

But even then, She knew who was in front of her.

 

She was no fool, that's why she knew in the first place.

 

Why was it Juleka? Why was she the one to know who Ladybug was. Why was she the one to realize, to connect the invisible dots that a literal magic was made to obscure. Was she lucky? Was she smart? She didn't know. Why was she chosen? She didn't know?

 

Why was it Juleka when Juleka still had no clue who she was behind every layer. She knew Panthera was Juleka with a mask on, no separate entity, no separate person, but who Juleka was- Juleka didn't know and was Scared to know because if all she found was broken glass, Juleka didn't know what she'd do.

 

And yet her eyes stayed closed.

 

She tried to imagine Marinette right now, in front of her, as she felt that gross whip cream rising against her legs- even grosser when she whispered a shaky-

 

"Claws in.."

 

-but she dared not to open her eyes. She didn't want to see how high the whip cream was rising, how much closer she was to Drowning, she didn't want to betray Ladynette-fuck-Maribug-fuck-Lady-fuck-Marinette's trust. She didn't want to betray her word, even when she knew.

 

Slowly, unsure what Marinette would do, she pulled off her ring. It had been the first time in so long she completely had it off. It was magic so it didn't rust or slip easily or cause damages so washing with it was fine and her anxiety of someone stealing it in her sleep or while she was leaving it was too strong.

 

She unconsciously realized what finger she had it on as she finally took it off, letting out a quiet curse- Damn it- wasn't that the wedding ring finger. Man I'm dumb, I thought it was the other hand. She blushed a little. She could hear Plagg let out a snort near her. 

 

Her hands shakily offered her ring out in her palm and Marinette reached out, fingers brushing over her gloves and jumping a little at the contact before her fingers found themselves at the cat ring.

 

Then Marinette closed Juleka's palm tightly.

 

H-Huh?

 

"Par-" She felt a small paw shut her mouth and she figured it was Tikki or Plagg.

 

"Put it back on!" Plagg urged and so she did, on her middle finger this time, still very confused especially when she heard Marinette sloshing her way over to what she assumed to be some sort of miraculous receptacle by the thu-thunk sound. Then came the soft sounds of chewing, and Plagg's sounds of distaste.

 

"Mmm! I'm all charged up!" A voice unlike Marinette. Squeakier, smaller. It must've been Tikki's "How about you, Plagg?'

 

"Eugh! Too sweet, sugarcube! So not my taste!" She could hear him complain.

 

From outside the door, Juleka's ears pricked at the sounds of Dark Owl's voice laughing maniacally.

 

"Now I am the only superhero in Paris! And a superhero keeps his word. Albert-"

 

Juleka gasped as she felt the whip cream descend back where it came from and despite the gross stickiness till on up to her mid thigh from her it was rising, it was gone. Crises averted. Thank god.

 

Her eyes were still shut, but now that she was aware again, she could hear every miniscule thing in the cargo tank.

 

At first she was confused, if Dark Owl could hear them, why not Plagg or Tikki. Then the memory of trying to take a picture of Plagg came up, and he didn't show up on camera. Perhaps his voice didn't either.

 

A soft tapping reached her ears and she could sense that Marinette was close again, if her awkward stretched hands didn't tell her. Slowly, Marinette lead her hand out until it touched back on the wall and tapped the metal near her ear- and Juleka understood. Time to transform.

 

"Plagg! Claws out!"

 

"Tikki! Spots on!"

 

The cargo's inside was swallowed with green light and her eyes snapped open, meeting Ladybug's glimmering blue eyes and her claws dug into the metal.

 

"CATACLYSM!"

 

Decay ate at the metal around them and in one push- it all turned to crumbling, destructive, ash. Dark Owl stumbled backwards with shock and Panthera spun her staff at her side with Ladybug spun her yoyo with a grin.

 

"But that's impossible! How did you do it?!" Dark Owl exclaimed, "This can't be!"

 

"A superhero never reveals her secrets I'd thought you know better. I've got plan A, plan B and all the alphabets to Z. Did you really think we could give you our Miraculouses? No way!" Ladybug exclaimed, pointing a finger at Dark Owl.

 

Juleka softly smiled at her before grinning wildly at the akuma.

 

"Cause we're god damn superheroes! And we never give up!" Panthera spat, hair rising off her back. 

 

"We're Ladybug-!"

 

"And Panthera- Fuckin- Noire!" Panthera licked over her fangs before cracking her neck to the side. "Now... Did Hawky wocky wike his new towys? Little man thing having fun? Or is he throwing a wittle tantrum?"

 

Dark Owl roared with rage, butterfly visor vibrating off his face practically emanating the anger she knew the man behind the mask was feeling. She grinned smugly, meeting Ladybug's eyes and winking. And then they charged.

 

"Hoo-merang trajectory control, Albert!"

 

Panthera skid beneath them as Ladybug leapt over them. She grabbed the last one, scraping to her feet and threw it at Dark Owl. He yelped, dodging it just in time to get a kick in the face by Ladybug. She wrapped her yoyo around his arm and smashed back into him before letting herself fall to the ground and start running circles.

 

Juleka ran up face to face and dodged beneath a punch before blocking an elbow jab with her staff, cracking his chin with the butt of her stick. She smirked when his head snapped back to glare at him before panic hit her when she heard her ring beep. She bounced backwards when Dark Owl tried to take that as a time to strike, barely dodging his grab.

 

"Partner we gotta finish this up soon and we still don't know where his akuma is! And who the hell is Albert!?" Juleka exclaimed.

 

"But we know that it's not in any of his weapons!" Ladybug smiled, "Lucky charm!"

 

Ladybug grabbed the comic from the area and Juleka immediately threw herself at the charging Dark Owl to fight him whilst the red hero calmly began flipping through the pages of the Knight Owl comic book.

 

Panthera got him into a choke hold, "Uhh, Partner! Hurry it uUP PLEAse-"

 

She wheezed as he flipped her backwards and slammed her into the ground. She dodged his second blow and started clawing at him. Ladybug snapped.

 

"I got it! The Knightowl has a partner! So does Dark Owl!" Ladybug rapidly waved a one of the pages. "Dark Owl's akumatized object isn't just on him! It's in his lair! It has to be in his lair, Panthera!"

 

"NOO!" Dark Owl shouted but that just confirmed it really- as she pounced on his back and sent him eating shit into the ground-

 

"HURRY PARTNER I'LL- OW- I'LL DEAL WITH HIM!" Panthera shouted, struggling to keep him down. Ladybug ran off, a red blur in the night and Dark Owl kept struggling beneath her. She growled picking his head up and smashing it harder into the ground, making him struggle a little weaker as he let out a choke of pain. "Red isn't looking anymore, I get to be a bit more... pragmatic with keeping you down..."

 

He stared up at her, terrifed.

 

"T- That's not heroic at all..!" Dark Owl sputtered. "That's not how Knight Owl made heroes out to be!"

 

"Well you must've noticed now, especially in those new Knight Owl movies- specially that Knight Owl V Majestia one like are you kidding-" Juleka began lightly before smiling darkly, eyes pin pricks. "...they like 'em a bit edgy, old man."

 

She knocked him unconscious and sat on his back until the red ladybugs came rushing in. Very smug about how the day had gone, other than, eh, the whip cream bit. Seriously that was so gross and she hated how afraid she was.

 

...

 

"I swear, girl! I was cardboard girl!" Alya exclaimed

 

"Hmmmmm are you suuuure?" Marinette sang, mashing buttons against her controller like it was nothing. Alya huffed, barely able to get Samus to dodge against the Kirby on a murder mission.

 

"I swear girl! God- I wish you could have seen it. It was awesome!" Alya threw her arms up with excitement at just the memory of working with Ladybug and Panthera Noire. It was like a dream! 

 

"Annnnd Marinette wins, zeros stocks lost!" Marinette grinned. Alya's eyes bugged out wide with shock.

 

"Aw WHAT!? No way, I wasn't looking! You cheated!" Alya sputtered with surprise. She sighed, slumping on her couch. "Damn it girl you're a god at this game"

 

Marinette giggled, "I'm more villainous than cardboard girl now."

 

"AHA! SO YOU BELIEVE ME!" Alya pointed at her with a wide grin. Marinette let out a more free laugh, expression melting into a warm little smile.

 

"Maybe." She said with a little glitter in her eye, "I just think you're a better hero than super villain."

 

Alya smiled. Her heart gushing a little at the sight before grinning.

 

"Ya goof. Down for that sleepover Saturday?"

 

Marinette nudged her with her elbow, "You know it"

 

 

Notes:

this episode sucked

 

but next episode
is one I have been very, very excited, to do, for a very, long, time

Chapter 56: Sapotis

Summary:

HEH

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

"I'm so glad you agreed to this sleepover. It's been a while!"

 

"You say that every time" Juleka softly smiled, as the two sat down next to each other.

 

At this point, everything they did had become a date. Trip to the super market; why not make it a date. Picking up some meds for Rose; hey, they're here, together, basically a date. Dinner? Dinner date! So Date Night was just another Night now. Another night, for Juleka and Rose.

 

"Well it has been" Rose said, her face scrunched in an adorable pout. Juleka snickered. How did she get so lucky? Not to sound self deprecating but.. I'm not really a looker. Panthera Noire freshes me the hell up... my hair is choppy.. and way too long- god don't even get me started on my eye bags.. or my eyes themselves.. scary.. opposite of cool in anyways.

 

How could Rose go on mind melting rants on how beautiful she was, and how lucky she was, when the truth was more adamant about her! Rose was incredible. She was kind, she was flawed, she was wonderful, she heard her, she understood her, she cheated during Just Dance somehow Juleka didn't know how to prove it but she knew she did...

 

...Rose's ability to hold Juleka's hand in the darkness, the scary scary darkness and say that Juleka wasn't alone. Rose's ability to wipe away her tear soaked cheeks, pull her close, and whisper that the hard part was almost over. That she could stand and fight later, that breathing was the objective now. Existing was the objective now. In Rose's arms she felt Safe.

 

A distinction so specific for Juleka.

 

When she felt Protected by her family, by Luka's warm embrace, by her mother's unwavering strength and fire in her eyes, she felt like the darkness would not bite at her, it would not dare, even if it glared at her from the corner of her eye and nipped at her ankles at any chance it could.

 

But Juleka felt Safe with Rose. Like the darkness was never coming to get her at all. Like it's fangs had been ripped clean out, like it's claws had been dulled to the point of soft stroking. In Rose's hands, she was safe to be all puddy. She was safe enough to Forget about her troubles for once.

 

It didn't just distract her from the... the... memories. But it comforted her through it. Her lows full of darkness and fear- once breaking her mind to it's last stands- Juleka now held a lantern. To be just Juleka, and let Juleka be Rose's.. Ahah.. how gushy of her.

 

"I'm glad I'm here with you right now" Juleka said. Rose blinked up at her before giggling softly, her face dusted pink.

 

"Aw, Jules!"

 

As of now, Rose was laughing, and smiling, giggling and Juleka's heart felt so full as she hung onto every word of Rose's little story. I'm so lucky. Is what the black cat thought. She leaned on Rose's head and just let herself listen to her voice, listen to her breath. Just with her favorite person.

 

She couldn't imagine being anywhere else in the world right now.

 

"You wanna bake something? Me and mom just went grocery shopping today! We can make something really sweet!" Rose pepped up before sweetly adding with a little twist of one of Juleka's locks of hair. "My nightshade."

 

"Oh um," Juleka messed with her hair a little, pulling the curtain away to look at her girlfriend more clearly. She hoped her blush wasn't too obvious but granted by that small little smile graced over Rose's stunning expression, ah.

 

Juleka's expression fell a little, as she sunk down into her more logical, thoughtful thoughts. It could make a mess... She figured, fiddling with the fabric on her knee. Rose isn't really into the sweet stuff as much as people think...

 

"If that isn't too much trouble..." She began with a loose smile. She slowly blinked. "I know that you-"

 

"Something sweet Jules~" Rose sang close to her ear, nudging at her. Rose knew what Juleka was always seeming to felt like. It made Juleka's heart skip a beat and feel ever harmer in the cozy environment of the room. Rose hopped to her feet and brought Juleka with her, spinning the two of them with a giggle. "Anything you want~ Chocolate cake, cupcakes, cookies, ooh, we can just have breakfast for second dinner. Pancakes. We can even put lil cut strawberries on it."

 

Juleka chuckled, her mind swimming a little. It felt like a bonfire in her chest. Sparkling and flickering, feeling her lungs with a warmth that never waned. To know she is loved, and she was loved before, and would've been loved still- even if they weren't dating. It- it was...

 

It was unreal.

 

"O- okay. Um. Sure," Juleka murmured, squeezing Rose's hand softly. If Rose was the light to Juleka's darkness, Juleka was the calm in Rose's storm. When she was with Rose, she felt, she felt beautiful. Like, well, she didn't know how to say it. It was quite silly. But her heart raced all the same. Beautiful. Juleka smiled. "Let's go make something together, Rose."

 

"WOO!"

 

Juleka smiled softly at her, heart full. Something sweet sounded nice, but all Juleka really wanted was to spend time with her girl. And that's what she as getting. She felt blessed by an angel. Call her a simp, but she'll kill God for Rose and sit in hell with a satisfied expression, once she stole Satan's throne, of course.

 

"Woo," She whispered, simply in love.

 

...

 

Somewhere else, in another sleepover.

 

"Marinette you're here!" Alya exclaimed, the seamstress giggled as she was suddenly enveloped into an awesome, squeezing, hug. 

 

"Alya!" Marinette said as Alya pulled away, shared grins upon their faces.

 

"Thanks for coming over! I swear, I got so much to say to you, girl." Alya said, practically yipping and bouncing on the spot.

 

"Dork, I saw you like, yesterday!" Marinette snorted as Alya took her little backpack of things for the sleepover into her arms to carry inside. The Cesaire household was always at least a little loud, a little hectic, not that the Dupain Cheng Bakery wasn't but the Cesaire's were a bigger family. A busier family. With different things going on than one single bakery.

 

The home was swimming often with the sounds of clambering pots and lids as Mrs. Cesaire began cleaning, someone shouting cause Mr. Cesaire brought out a new creature he was nursing for the Zoo, Nora- who was staying the year after she had graduated from College- walloping a punching bag in her room, and- the Twins. Which were tonight's show.

 

"HI-"

 

"-MAR-INE-

 

"-ETTE!"

 

She jumped with surprise and almost instinctually she reached for her purse and earrings to protect as Ella and Etta leapt from Alya's sides. Chipper, foxlike grins across their faces. Those two had a knack of just, appearing out of nowhere. Was that a 6-7 year old thing? Or did Marinette just not have younger siblings? Who knows.

 

Luckily Alya was to the rescue, Marinette's bag underneath her arm, as she scruffed her two little siblings like they were cats. Adonned on their heads being two propeller hats with the labeled brand of 'Destiny Land' stickered on it.

 

"Come on you two! How many times I gotta tuck you two in?" Alya grinned. "You little sh-"

 

Be-beep- Be-Beep! Alya yelped, as the twins dangled and giggled in her grasp, already reaching for Marinette's bag to steal. Alya panicked and looked around, trying to find her money. Marinette snickered to herself and in a quick, skilled motion of her hand that Tikki would shake her head disappointedly at her for-

 

She held up Alya's phone, smiling. "I got it, Alys!"

 

Alya sighed with relief, "Thanks, Marinette! AGH-"

 

"I GOT IT!" Etta, Marinette assumed, was on the right, and Ella on the left- but either way she was grinning- and held up her napsack with a mischievous shine in her eyes. "MUTINY TO THE OLDER SISTER-"

 

"HEY GET BACK HERE!" Alya chased after her little sisters as they slipped from her arms like little snakes. Marinette laughed, and politely answered the phone.

 

"Hello?" She sang happily.

 

"Ohhhh Marinette! It's you! Where's Alya? We were going to tell her that we just arrived at the Movie Theatre."

 

"Alya is handling the girls." Marinette giggled, closing the door behind her as she waltzed into the kitchen. Alya threw a pillow at Ella as Etta came in from behind armed with a tooth brush and tackled her. Marinette stiffled a snort.

 

"But they're going to bed soon, yes? I'd be upset that they'd be all tired out for tomorrow" Mrs Cesiare's voice strained an Marinette fumbled with her phone, nodding, as if the woman could see her. She turned her back to focus on the phone once more.

 

"Yes, Mrs. Césaire. The girls are ready for bed! Uh... technically speaking..." She spared a glance back and smiled as she saw Alya chasing the twins in circles. She looked so bright, like a living star. She chuckled lightly. "Yeah, we're good. Enjoy the movie!"

 

"Come on, bedtime, you little monsters! That's enough mischief for one day!" Alya snickered. Marinette hung up and placed Alya's phone on the counter, making her way over at the mess of a living room whilst Alya finally managed to grapple the two twins under her arms.

 

"It's not us! It's the Sapotis!" Etta and Ella sang, giggling like little gremlins as their legs kicked around.

 

Alya snorted as the two made their way to the two's shared room, covered in little drawings with the floor scattered with toys. Marinette softly smiled, a warmth spreading in her chest as she leant against the doorframe.

 

"Off to bed, little Sapotis. You need to rest if you wanna be fighting fit for tomorrow." Alya giggled, sitting on one of their beds as she tuck Etta in, her face amused.

 

"It's not fair!" Ella shouted from the other bed, sitting upwards which made Alya silently huff about her 'craftmanship' go to waste. "We don't wanna go to bed! We wanna stay up with you!"

 

"Yeah!" Her current 'masterful tucking children in' technique went to waste once more as the other twin went by example with her sister and sat up too.  "We wanna watch the movie and tell each other lots of secrets!"

 

Marinette would feel helpless in this scenario, surrounded by not one but two pairs of baby doll eyes begging and pleading. She would at some point crack, and they'd all get in trouble in the morning. But Alya was not Marinette, she was Alya, and Alya was clever.

 

"And what kind of zombies will you be at the amusement park tomorrow if you go to bed late? Hm?" Alya asked, tilting her head back with a mischievous smile. She looked up to Marinette and cocked her head at her. "Show 'em, Marinette!"

 

Marinette squeaked, suddenly the attention on her. That girl- she thought quickly and made a big show out of yawning, which brought out an actual one, before she slumped against the wall.

 

"ohhhh so tired- eughghghghh-"

 

Alya giggled, a genuine smile coming to her face as she stared at the fashion designer before glancing back at the snickering kids.

 

"So what's it gonna be?" She asked cheekily, tilting her head. "Boring sit-down pajama party with the big kids, or... the super fun cool amusement park tomorrow?"

 

The two kids gasped, looking at each other, trying to figure the answer the big kids were obviously biasing them too before they both cheered-

 

"The amusement park!"

 

"That's what I thought." Alya smiled, successful, reaching towards Etta's little propeller hat. "So, goodnight, Sapotis-"

 

"Wait!" She cried, holding tight to the hat. "Can we keep 'em on? Please?""

 

Alya rose an eyebrow but just smiled.

 

"All right. But go to sleep now." She said. The twins nodded and fully settled down now, pulling themselves back under the covers. The room, the house, now quiet.

 

Marinette giggled, opening an eyeball after faking/demonstrating what their 'exhaustion' would be like if they didn't tuck their little heads in and sleep while Alya slowly, quietly closed the door and flicked the light off. The two girls stared at each other and smiled to themselves as no sounds seemed to creak inside and they went back to their business.

 

"Were you really going to stop them from going to the amusement park?" Marinette asked.

 

"No, I can't decide that, it's mom and dad's decision afterall. But sometimes you gotta say what you gotta say for the greater good, as much as lying is a bugger." Alya sighed, "I hope we're able to though. The girls are excited. And it rained today."

 

"There's still some dark clouds still out." Marinette added, "If you go drive through them, you can get rained on, and then exit like it never happened."

 

"I think I heard thunder, too"

 

Hanging out with Alya was the best part of her life at the moment, in Marinette's opinion at least. Her life before this year, sure, was magicless, she didn't have to fight super powered baddies and stress about it every day of her life- risking it in the process- but it was... bleak. Chloe bullied her, she had no friends, her inspiration was already waning and she threw on a tired smile for her parents.

 

It was like a whole new chapter opened up meeting Alya. That little notion. That tiny little moment where Alya invited her to sit with her, defending her, no one's done that before. No one was such a hero to her before? Who else could be so heroic than Alya Cesaire? Marinette couldn't name a single one- sorry Panthera.

 

Marinette sighed to herself, a little smile reaching her lips. It was silly, wasn't. For the big, golden child, hero of paris, to look up to her most adamant reporter fan as inspiration. No, it wasn't silly to her, to the designer, it made perfect, clockwork, sense.

 

"So" She began, reaching to the fridge. It was her little opportunity to hear Alya talk more. "Who are these Sapo- Sapi- Sap..."

 

She actually knew it was 'Sapotis' but...

 

"Oh you mean the Sapotis?" Alya's eyes glittered with a wanting to explain. That was what Marinette was hoping for as they set out some snacks and drinks to dine on for their little movie night together. To hear Alya talk. She liked hearing her go on and on. It was the best. "They're little monsters from a créole fable... who are always pulling pranks and making all sorts of mischief."

 

"So gremlins?" Marinette tilted her head to which Alya copied with a snort. 

 

"Pff, that's absolutely the word for it isn't it." Alya giggled, fidgeting her glasses. "Those two heard it from dad and they've been obsessed with the tale. Started blaming everything on them, like they're funniest and cleverest kids on earth. I remember being like that."

 

"Huh! Can't relate! I always was a golden child" Marinette grinned.

 

"Puh-lease!" Alya snickered, booping her on the nose playfully. "Miss, Let me steal Adrien's phone. You're a bit crazy, girly."

 

"Hey come on, I was a different girl back then." Marinette threw her hands up. "I don't have a crush on him anymore."

 

"Sure sure, girl." Alya lead her to the table to put down their food and drinks. Marinette stared at her silently. There was something that wrought a knot in her throat at that, and she was determined to set the record straight.

 

Haha straight.

 

"No, I- I mean it." Marinette pressed. Alya paused, back turned to her. It looked like her body had stiffened into a wooden board. Still. Completely, still.

 

The smile on the designer's lips fell as she stared at her. The only thing Marinette had was her vague reflection on the tv. Marinette tilted her head slowly, reproaching from behind the table, ignoring it for her best friend.

 

"Alya?"

 

"You... don't?" Alya began, adjusting her glasses. Marinette's eyebrows rose with confusion before suddenly a giggle interrupted them. "AGH- YOU TWO-"

 

It was impressive, to see how fast two girls could gulp a whole jug of orange juice down in a matter of seconds. The cantaloupe was only saved by Marinette who yanked it out of their grubby hands' way. They giggled.

 

"You two are talking about crushes!" They sang at the same time, "Liars lairs pants on fire you said you two were gonna be sleepy and boring~! We want to play with you two! Come on come on!"

 

Alya grunted tiredly.

 

"It's not us! It's the Sapotis!" The two girls insisted with giggles.

 

"Uhuh, uhuh" Alya snorted, putting the two back to bed before closing the door behind her. Marinette patiently waited in the living room for her, food laid on the table for them as they awkwardly stood there. This shouldn't be awkward for anyone reason, Alya thought so too, as she put on a smile. "So- movie time, right?"

 

"H- HAh! Yeah! Or talking about- how's the blog by the way?" Marinette asked, fiddling with her hair as Alya went down to shuffle through her old dvds.

 

"Oh!" Alya pepped up, a smile reaching her face as she paused from her task. The tension already losing it's grip on the two as they smiled at each other happily. "Yeah, girl! Lemme show you it's crazy! So I got this new app and-"

 

They went to the kitchen to get her phone, Marinette hopping onto the counter to look at Alya as she grabbed her phone and began swiping before opening it up with a grin. Did Marinette feel bad for leading Alya on about her identity? Yes. Did she love indulging and seeing Alya enjoy her activities and interests? Yes.

 

"-Apparently Ladybug has been around at least since the pharaohs. But no way can the Ladybug we know can be five thousand years old! So, I downloaded a great app that analyzed some recordings I had of her talking. Based on the frequencies of her voice, it turns out she's a girl our age!" Alya exclaimed, snapping Marinette back into place as a new sense of dread hit her.

 

Glamour would protect her right? That's that's how it worked, right? But- not if there was such ample evidence- such- clear- detailed- evidence- to smack you in the face. Oh fuc- uh- uh- THink Marinette, THINK! Her mind scrambled immediately. Think- you gotta think of something because if you don't she she she she she's gonna find out. She's gonna cause Alya is the smartest person on earth. Not only will I be in danger, Panthera too- Master Fu. Even worse; Alya will HATE me-

 

Why wouldn't she she hates lying she loves the truth I'm nothing but a liar to her oh my god oh fuck I've been lying to her this entire time I'm such an awful friend No I'm not yes I am no Yes Yes I'm an okay friend this is to protect her. To protect her. TO PROTECT HER-

 

"Don't you think there's a reason why she keeps her identity a secret?" Marinette asked, her mind halting from it's spiraling in circles. Alya stared thoughtfully, adjusting her glasses. Sometimes the reporter got over her head but... there was something in her eyes that made her grow solemn. Like she wanted to hear her out.

 

"In what way?" Alya asked.

 

"Ladybug needs it to protect her family and friends. Otherwise they could turn into villains who could use them to get to her." Marinette impassionedly reasoned. That's how I feel at least... I don't know about Panthera Noire... She shook her head, refocusing. "No slip ups, if- if they turn into villains they'll know who she is, they'll be too close."

 

They could hit you where it hurts. They could take advantage of you. They could stab you in the back when you least expect it. It'll hurt and it'll last and it'll make you afraid to trust anyone again. That's what Panthera said at least, about trusting the people around you, the cat's own fears in whispered form. Ladybug pretended that it didn't sound like self experience Panthera was projecting.

 

But still, Marinette could understand it. Fighting Alya was one of the most hardest things she'd ever done. Seeing someone you lov- .......someone you care for a lot- stare at you with such malice, such hatred- The fact they don't know who you are is the only protection you have to your emotions. Thinking of a scenario where they Do- where they Do know it's you, and make the choice- controlled yes but still- choice to hurt you. 

 

It's... terrifying. To think about and Imagine. The constant pressure-

 

Ladybu- Marinette wondered if one of her past ladybug precursors was Atlas! Haha! Marinette hoped not.

 

Alya leaned on her hand, letting that scroll through her mind, "Well-"

 

Their eyes slowly landed Downwards and they yelped as giggles hit their ears and Alya jumped to her feet.

 

"HEY!"

 

There went their snacks- as Ella and Etta laughed with such amusement.

 

Alya was a bit more rougher with the two as she dragged them back to bed. Etta and Ella were much more amused though, laughing and giggling like they were the smartest people in the world having everyone fooled. Alya didn't find this amusing at all anymore. Her patience clearly waning. Oh boy.

 

"You two...!" Alya growled through her teeth.

 

"Heheehh! It's not it's-"

 

"Get out of bed one more time, and no one'll be going to the amusement park tomorrow, got it?!" Alya threatened as tersely as possible, her hair standing on end. "This is your last warning! No! Joke!"

 

Etta slowly nodded at her innocently enough, eyes wide beneath the covers, but the way her lips were quivering- the riled up kids were clearly too amused to care. Alya glared before shut the door- breathing heavily with anger. She was frustrated.

 

"You were saying, Alya? About secret identities." Marinette offered as they stepped away from the door. A hope to calm Alya down with other thoughts. Alya adjusted her glasses as she caught her breath.

 

"W- Wel-"

 

Alya didn't even get to finish her sentence this time as a pair of twin giggles came from the living room. Marinette wisely and slowly stepped back from the disaster zone as Alya angrily turned to her little sisters. Oh boy. She looked down at Tikki weakly, the kwami shrugging with an awkward smile. This didn't look good-

 

...

 

Juleka smiled as they placed the small tray of cupcakes down. She sighed with relief. Nothing burnt.

 

"Whew! That was fun!" Rose sang, stretching her arms out before leaning on the goth's shoulder. Her pouted expression scrunched in a way that made her heart flutter "I feel like I didn't do anything though! These were for you!"

 

"They were for us, silly." Juleka softly blinked at her, booping her on the nose much to Rose's surprise as she found a bit of frosting there. "You helped me with This. You want to put it on the things?"

 

"Put the thing on the thing?" Rose giggled, wiping it off her nose and taking a little taste.

 

"Yes the thing on the thing." Juleka bumped her with her hip. The two giggled before Rose's cheeky grin fell into something softer.

 

"Thank you, Jules, for being with me, I'm glad you're here.." Rose whispered. Juleka's eyes widened and quietly nodded.

 

Suddenly was like a wave of children burst through the front door, trampled across them, and then all left out the kitchen window. Juleka silently stared blankly at their empty pan and the pastry piping bag that was completely empty now.

 

Rose stared at their hard work, dead, in scattered, messy, smithereens.

 

"Juleka don't-"

 

Juleka ran out the door after them.

 

"JULEKA"

 

"I'LL BE BACK!"

 

...

 

Ladybug ran across the roofs of Paris, seemingly the only place safe as this army of monsters plagued the streets, shrieking, cackling, chattering- Tilting over cars, tormenting civilians, stealing, Feeding, Multiplying. Etta, Ella! Was this their fault?

 

No, she couldn't let that dwell on her. They were evil now. What was something that could be the akuma? Ladybug stopped for a moment, it was difficult to hide, as her outfit was Bright Red, and sometimes she envied Panthera for it, but she could get a pretty good look see.

 

The propeller hats. The only thing reminiscent from the twins' original forms. Pretty easy to destroy. But there were so many of them now. Marinette saw them duplicate. It really was the Gremlins. Were the two akumatized into the same Monster? Were they the same person now? Or were they consumed by the same desire. Questions to dwell over on another day.

 

"RAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

 

That voice was familiar. Ladybug swung herself over the infested streets, finding that familiar leather clad heroine seeming to be chasing down a group of cackling akumas down the road. 

 

"PANTHERA!" Ladybug called out, reaching out a hand. Panthera's eyes widened before she pulled out her baton and- like a javelin, shot it through the air into Ladybug's hands. Ladybug dropped to the ground and- extending the staff- she tripped the group- sending them flying into the air. Like a bunch of bowling pins.

 

Panthera skidded beneath her and Ladybug let out an oof as the cat hero caught her in her muscled arms. Ladybug smiled before scrambling out, handing back her baton, before in quick motion she lassoed the group of troublemakers into one big tie up with her yoyo.

 

"Make sure to look both ways-!" Panthera grinned.

 

"-Before crossing!" Ladybug exclaimed as she made one harsh yank and all the hats came snapping off. One by one, as Marinette hoped for, they disappeared. But.. no butterfly. Panthera caught up to her and made a curt little bow.

 

"Red" She greeted.

 

"Noire." Ladybug giggled back. Panthera looked down at clattered remains of the hats, her tail lashing with frustration.

 

"No akuma" She muttered as the chaos burned around them. "But they disappeared"

 

"It's cause that monster was a clone!" Marinette replied, picking up one of the hats to gesture with. "These Sapotis multiply every time they eat, Panthera. To get to the akuma, we'll have to destroy the original one — the very first one Hawk Moth akumatized!"

 

"So we have the akuma object-" Panthera began.

 

"But not the akuma," Ladybug nodded. The cat hero grumbled, looking around them with as she leaned back lazily against an abandoned car. Pouty kitty.

 

"Looks like we gotta catch them all huh, and I was having such a busy night already..." Panthera grunted. Ladybug giggled, passing by her little Charlton Cheshire with a loving scritch under her chin before turning back towards her with a cheeky smile.

 

"Come on, I thought you liked a good challenge!" Ladybug teased beginning to skip away as Panthera groaned with grievance, following after her.

 

"Easy and quick ones! Remind me to cut my head off when an akuma like this happens!" Panthera complained freely, bouncing over cars and Sapotis that ran after them upon seeing them. Dispatching them was easy, individually.

 

But when they were in large groups, it got harder to very much handle. The exhaustion of getting through an entire group, seeing one bounce away, and then reconstruct it just as fast as damaging her soul.

 

"There's too many of them!" Panthera snarled, jumping over a tackling creature and whacking it's hat off it's head with her staff. Ladybug yelped as the cat hero dragged her back from another trying to make a grab at her earrings. Ladybug made a quick swipe with her yoyo and watched it's toop part come clean off, sending that sapotis poofing into nothingness.

 

But Panthera was right, the hoard was too much, and this was only on the bridge. They increased at a faster rate than they fell, and unless France went on a food shortage in the next ten minutes and the creatures didn't spread to the rest of Europe- well it was accurate to say that they weren't going to make it out unless a new strategy was played onto their ever unfair Chess Board.

 

"This is getting less and less therapeutic." Panthera snarled, flicking her hair out of her face before yelping as two sapotis jumped up in the air and flicked it right back. She squawked with rage as Ladybug covered for her, yanking the two off.

 

This is going nowhere. I need my-

 

"LUCKY CHARM!"

 

Falling in her hands, she was almost afraid it'd drop and shatter into a million pieces, was a small spotted teapot. She held it in her hands, running a thumb over it's slightly bumpy texture and form. It felt ornate. Old. Familiar...

 

"What's that gonna do, partner!?" Panthera called over her shoulder as a group of little monsters clambered onto her shoulder, gargling and growling at the cat hero who stood like that wasn't going on.

 

It was hard to explain what the world looked like to Marinette's eyes. The best way she could describe it, was like the world faded away. Into just a world of black and white. Where she could focus on the little things. Where her eyes opened up, and it was like colors poured out instead of tears and she could see the world in a way that she couldn't normally. It didn't actually but that Is how it felt like.

 

But this time there was no clicking moment, there wasn't anything that could make sense to her brilliant mind, nothing that screamed to her senses.

 

"I- I don't know.!" She hated that feeling. The world didn't make Sense to her and she Hated it. But she was so close but close wasn't Getting It. "I- I can't find anything!"

 

"Partner!" Panthera urged as she ripped a hat off of one sapotis and bowled it into the group before roaring with rage as another set of sapotis tackled onto her back, trying to steer her around. Ladybug rubbed her chin, trying to delve deeper in thought as Panthera kicked around. "AGHH! MY FUCKING BACK!"

 

Back.. BACK. BACK PROBLEMS? BACK PROBLEMS MASSAGE. MASSAGE PLACE. HEALING. MASTER FU. HE DRINKS TEA. TEA POT. TEAPOT. OH YEAH BABY MY BRAIN BEING FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRINNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG-

 

"I figured it out!" Ladybug shrieked, turning to Panthera who threw a whole child into the Seine. "I know someone who can help! I GOTTA GO!"

 

"RIGHT NOW!?" Panthera exclaimed, her eyes widening with terror and desperation. "TO WHERE"

 

"I'm sorry kitty!" Ladybug cried out, throwing her yoyo out until it snagged tight on a building she didn't even look to. She focused onto Panthera with a deep look. "You've gotta trust me on this one. Please."

 

Panthera met her gaze, her ear twitched. Emerald eyes searching her face, before softening.

 

"I'll always trust you, Partner. Don't stand me up now." She smirked, nodding to the red hero, kicking another sapotis into the stratosphere. But the gentleness in her eyes did not go unnoticed. Ladybug's lips stretched upwards before she yanked herself forward and flew off. 

 

Marinette breathed out sharply. I'll be quick, Panthera, don't you worry..!

 

...

 

Panthera sighed and faced the hoard with a dark stare.

 

"Bad kittens." She chuffed, extending her pole as they growled and spat at her. "It's about to get PG-13 for you little Fucks."

 

"MIRAACULOUUUS!" They all chanted, charging at her.

 

"COME AT ME YA LITTLE FUCKS!" 

 

...

 

She breathed heavily as she knocked at the door. So many things were happening outside, and as the teapot disappeared from her hands, she was lucky she just got to his door in one piece. Marinette looked forward.

 

And somehow, under it all. She was only worrying about one person. How insane was that. That's how Marinette saw it, so, shove it down into the deepest depths of her stomach it went.

 

"It's open,"

 

She pressed the door open and poked her head inside nervously and politely.

 

"Hello, Master Fu" She said, greeting the elder man sitting calmly in the middle of the room. Teapot by his side. 

 

"Marinette!?" Wayzz flew forward, eyes bugged out as Tikki swirled around him, giggling, before returning to Marinette's side. Wayzz shook his head, "But you're not supposed to come to Master Fu's place! That's like- backwards- We call upon You!"

 

"Let her talk, Wayzz" The last guardian softly said, holding up his aged, wrinkled, hand.

 

"Master," Marinette began, sitting down in front of him. Is Alya okay is Alya okay Is Alya okay is Alya okay Is Alya okay is Alya okay- She continued, "I used my Lucky Charm, but strangely, I think it was a hint which was telling me to come here in a way."

 

His eyes glittered, his polite smiling into something more, serious and stoney. 

 

"I see."

 

He placed his drink down, leaning forward a tad in his seat.

 

"Marinette, I taught you all about the Miraculous and their powers. You know that yours works in a very mysterious way, and so, I think it's trying to tell us that you need help this time." He said in a hushed tone, breathing importance into the deepest parts of her bones. Master Fu stood and approached the Gramophone but, paused. He looked at her, and he looked tired. Aged. " I don't know if it's safe- I already took an enormous risk by putting two Miraculous into circulation... the dangers.."

 

"And you were right to do it.!" Marinette said. "I wouldn't have come here unless we truly needed, something."

 

Fu nodded, a little smile on his face, "True. Now lets see what you remember from my Lessons."

 

He opened the gramophone up, making Marinette gasp and approached her. He placed it down, between him and her with a careful stare that felt like it weighed the weight of hundreds. Thousands. Tired, and full of years and years of life- trusting. Trusting. And as he opened it- she gasped- seeing more pockets open up- a whole- a whole Zodiac of Miraculouses- preserved and guarded under his care for who knows how long-

 

Marinette's jaw slowly dropped agape and Tikki smiled, lifting it back up into place. It was like pandora's box had opened, magic radiating out from the insides of it like Waves. Rippling with energy and making her eyes almost sting with it's Glory. Her draw to touch, to feel, to take, to try on, it was almost cursed it was, the sheer power, but one stood out. She couldn't tell which, but one made her instincts rattle. Shake. 

 

One was the one she needed.

 

"Choose wisely." He reminded her grimly, his eyes heavy and his hands twitching. "Such powers are meant to serve the greater good. That is the Guardian Way. They must never get into the wrong hands."

 

Like Hawk Moth's. Marinette mentally thought, her expression reading what she was thinking as it twisted with grief and righteous fury. A man so evil. Marinette couldn't imagine how anyone could be so terrible by choice. It was impossible to understand. To comprehend. Why Chloe would Bully, why Bob Roth would crave the taste of Greed- why Hawkmoth would do such a thing... it was all evil...

 

Fu solemnly nodded.

 

"Yes." He whispered, looking back down to gesture towards the box, eyes focused and not paying attention to her. "Once the mission is over, you must retrieve the Miraculous from them and bring it back to me. Until we've unlocked all the secrets of the spellbook, it's too dangerous to allow any more Miraculous to be out in the open for very long. They Must come back to me, do you understand, Marinette."

 

Marinette didn't search for his eyes, simply staring back at the box too. Her heart longing for one name that echoed through her cranium that a war drum, thump thump, thumping. Without stop, without cease.

 

"Yes sir." She obediently whispered.

 

Master Fu was the surviving member of the order of the miraculous. He had the answers. Besides Panthera, who didn't know who Ladybug was, the true Ladybug was, Master Fu was the only confidant she had in this messy world of magic.

 

He was hope. He was a responsible adult supervision. And she needed and adult to hold onto for support. Marinette looked up to the man so deeply. So she took that to the deepest of heart.

 

Marinette smiled, holding up a pendant in her hand. It glitter and gleamed.

 

"Yes, Master. I know just the right person!" She exclaimed to which he smiled approvingly. I hope.

 

...

 

"Listen! We can renegotiate the amusement park idea if you want, 'kay? But first, I need you to chill out and come back home with me..!"

 

Alya was met with nothing but cackles as the merry go round spun in circles upon circles. Her hands balled into white knuckled fists at her sides, eyes biting with frustrated and guilt driven tears.

 

"C- come on.! You two can't always get what you want.!" Alya shouted, her voice desperate as it was etched with a more honest terror. "Mom and dad are worried about you two- I'm worried about you two.! So please just come home I'm sorry.!"

 

Ladybug landed on the roof overlooking the park, ivy azure eyes practically glowing in the darkness of the city as she gazed downwards as the amber lit park. Her ribbon antenna twitched and pricked as she leaned forward, trying to find an opening. 

 

Down.

 

She flew through the air, like an aerial silk dancer, spinning, flipping, before she touched the ground in barely a thud- her eyes shined with determination. Ladybug glanced back for a moment, silvery blue meeting a beautiful hazel, and smiled. 

 

With an unnecessary flourish, and snapped her yoyo forward- letting it snag part of the carousel and let it continue to Spin until it and completely wrapped up like a strung up not, the Sapotis growled out their garble confusedness before Ladybug gave a super human yank and the ride was forcibly snapped to a stop. Sending the sapotis flying like marbles in the air.

 

They let out screams of defiance but in another quick flourish they Poofed into nothing but red spoke. Billowing around them for a spell, before drifting to nothing. Ladybug slowly stood up and turned, she smiled at Alya.

 

"Hey!" Marinette shyly smiled.

 

"L- Ladybug!" Alya nearly tripped over herself to her, heaving. She wiped away whatever tears she had and focused hard on her. "My sisters have been akumatized! Plea-please, I need to find them and bring them back home! They're my baby sisters I-" 

 

Ladybug held up a hand, "We're gonna save them, Alya. I promise. But there's a way for you to help too,"

 

Her voice caught up with her for a moment as she gazed at her, best friend. Alya's eyes were wide, shining. Like miniature suns.

 

"If you're, interested." Ladybug said in a fragile tone. Alya's eyes widened more, looking like her soul had just floated out of her head.

 

"ME? M- Me? Help you two? You two superheroes!?" Alya exclaimed, she tugged at her hair and felt at her face before letting out a gooey gasp of air. "Ohmigosh- yes- I- yes I'd love to help you don't- actually you probably do know- ohhmigod JUST WAIT TILL MARINETTE HEARS-"

 

A rush of panic hit her like a cold bucket of water and on instinct she stretched out a hand and clamped it on Alya's.

 

"Don't!"

 

The two's eyes met again and Ladybug blushed a little. Embarrassment? That's what she was feeling wasn't it? Yes. Yes that's what it was. She lost her control afterall. Th- that's why. Okay um- wait- Alya was still looking at her. Ladybug replaced her hand onto her shoulder, trying to muster up her serenity in her tone.

 

"This has to be a secret, Alya. Not a word to your friends or your family or on the Ladyblog." Ladybug urged sternly. But it only hid the shaking in her voice just so.

 

The rules were there. They were there for a reason. Her imagination took the wheel for her. If Alya, her hero Alya, were to ever be in danger- her family- her loved one's- the despair in her eyes- Marinette couldn't even begin to handle that.

 

"D- Do you understand me.?" She pressed harder.

 

"Y- Yes, yes I do." Alya said, stepping back a little before braving two steps forward once more. Those eyes were warm, they were ngenious. They were kind. They were knowing, able to look through lead in it's own way. Marinette felt like an open book to Alya. It made "I understand you, Ladybug."

 

If only you did.

 

Ladybug reached into her pocket and her breath hiccupped. Was she really doing this? This was Alya's dream. This could put Alya in danger. Alya would do anything for her. But was that a good thing? Was she to abuse that? Was this a good decision. Would Alya be okay? Would Alya hate it? Would Alya hate her?

 

Ladybug inhaled.

 

Alya was good. That's all she needed.

 

She grasped the cold box in her clammy, sweating hand and stretched it forward. 

 

"Alya Césaire," She began shakily as her best friend's eyes widened with a quiet shock that increased as the box seemed to glow before her. "This is the Miraculous of the Fox, which grants the power of illusion. You will use it for the greater good."

 

Alya stretched her calloused hands out, worn from work, from a constant a typing, clicking of cameras, rough housing, her insistence of 'parkour'ing- and gently took the box from her hands. Ladybug held in the gulp as she felt the weight of what felt like her own heart leave her hands. Ladybug steeled herself and met Alya's eyes again, shimmering with shock and awe that broke the red heroine down to her bones.

 

"Once the job is done, you will return the Miraculous to me." Ladybug quietly continued in the shakiest of whispers and in the must tenderest of tones, she asked Alya one single question, fingers caressing her hands softly. "Can I trust you, Alya?"

 

Alya stared at her, wide eyed. A million thoughts going by in those starry hazel that swirled into a deep warmth.

 

"Totally, Ladybug." Alya whispered with a shaky smile. Marinette let out a weak chuckle. Only Alya. The reporter gingerly, carefully, opened up the box. It send Marinette so many months back. When things were so new, when she wasn't aware of what she had coming towards her. 

 

The box creaked open and a flash of blinding orange light erupted from it's shut prison.

 

"WHAT THE-!" Alya exclaimed with surprise, shielding her face in her shock before her mouth gaped wide open as the ball of orange light took a sudden independent form, swirling around her, giggling, voice chittering, before two violet eyes emerged- and so too did the rest of the kwami's form in a flourished affect. Alya blinked wide. "What is that thing?!"

 

"I'm not a thing, little fox!" They snipped, surprising even Ladybug a little. A wiley smile crept along the fox kwami's face. Ladybug had heard of them from Master Fu, but she had yet to meet any of the other kwamis. So this first impression was, very unique. "My name is Trixx, and once you wear upon that pendant, I'll be your Kwami!"

 

"A kwami huh?" Alya hummed before snapping excitedly. "I know! You're what gives superheroes their superpowers, right?"

 

"Superheroes? Dunno what those are, unless you mean Holder" Trixx yawned before grinning, up at Ladybug "Not a bad pick~"

 

Ladybug smiled kindly at Alya who had begun putting on the pendant, eyes shining with awe and an ever growing excitement.

 

Marinette's face softened.

 

"She's an expert." She whispered.

 

"This is incredible.!" Alya gasped to herself, before turning at Ladybug with a sudden excited stare. "By the way while you're here I got a few questions like; How old are you, what's your hobbies, are you single, do you have any idea of Panthera Noire's true identity? Are you two dating- There's no way—"

 

Ladybug cringed, her face flushed a little, "STAY FOCUS PLEASED!"

 

Alya squeaked nodded, "Right! Understood!"

 

Trixx swirled around Alya with a wider, excited grin.

 

"You just need to say one thing, kit!" Trixx sang, rubbing their little paws together as they were probably vibrating with energy. "Ohhhohoh man, I haven't done this in far too long...! Say it with me; Trixx, let's pounce!"

 

Alya grinned.

 

"TRIXX! LET'S POUNCE!"

 

 

 

Ladybug had never seen a transformation from another person's view before. Ladybug watched with wide shimmering eyes, she was breathless. And didn't know what to say, looking at her.

 

It was like itself contorted to their whim, like a hypnotic dance that lasted for a split second, like she could see the magic itself from the miraculous pour into their very veins and truly, truly, transform themselves into something Else. Someone Else. It was magic. Wild and free.

 

When the glow died, Alya's eyes slowly blinked open hesitantly.

 

"Do I.. look cool?" Alya asked, unsure when or if she should look down. Ladybug took all of the changes in. Her own breath catching in her throat.

 

"Y- Yeah. Super cool." She whispered.

 

Not only dressed in a magician's like outfit, with white lapels alluding to the white tum of a fox with a tail coat that literally stretched into a tail with a notched end- Alya's hair, once a wavy and reddish-brown ombre and growing only just past her shoulders, had become a brilliant- vibrant red. Her hair had become a Mountain of fluff, curling down her shoulders in tumbling curls that would seem to go on for miles.

 

It was like a fiery wild lion's mane, ends dipped in a starch white, as if she had swallowed the clouds in the sky and her hair was the only part of her that acknowledged it's existence. Down her elbows, her gloves were dark, and her fingertips ended in a slight claw, dangerous looking but tough.

 

But what had struck Ladybug the most, was her eyes. Those eyes. Those electrifying eyes. 

 

A once brown, greyish gold eyes, that felt like a comforting, supportive warmth- were the most unnaturally sharp, fascinating, and dare she say captivating set of eyes Marinette have ever seen. Even more fascinating that Panthera's own, as unlike the cat hero who's peculiar emerald eyes made sense-

 

-Alya's eyes had become fully Violet. The only remains of her original eye color in the form of tiny flecks of the original hazel they once were and still that refused to quake the veracity that quite literally sparkled in the fox's unwavering gaze. Not unlike said Partner from before.

 

Just like our Kwami's. Marinette realized. It wasn't an important fact but one she had now realized to be after seeing such a more, obvious, display.

 

"Y- you, you look great." Marinette smiled, she couldn't stop doing that around Alya. Alya looked down at herself, finally, like that's all she needed to hear before checking herself out and oogling at her new Get Up- gasping and awing.

 

"Oh woaaah..! This is so awesome!" She exclaimed before her face dropped "But I look like Lila when she was akumatized in this suit.. sorta."

 

"Yeah but, well, Better." Ladybug offered.

 

Alya smiled a toothy grin, "True, also I look like a milf-"

 

"OKAY WE GOTTA GO I LEFT MY CAT UNSUPERVISED TO PICK YOU UP LET'S GO!" Ladybug gestured forward, running a few steps before pausing. She looked over her shoulder a grinned. "You ready for your first night out?"

 

Alya's hair rose, like her sheer excitement had spread to every facet of her being. Unable to be contained within just her simple form. She rapidly nodded with excitement, like a bobblehead on a highway.

 

"Yes ma'am!" She made a goofy little salute.

 

"Then let's not keep Panthera Noire waiting! Come on!" Ladybug giggled, shooting forward through the air with a chuck of her yoyo and a sudden swing with her body. 

 

"AH- Woah.! WAIT UP!"

 

She had never been so vivid in her descriptions of how it felt to be Ladybug. The first word she would say would be Work, the second, Danger, and the third, Responsibility. A burden. The handle of 'Ladybug' was not one a child should bare and yet she wore the flag on her shoulders like a cape of a hero.

 

But with Alya, it felt like she was flying.

 

Marinette swung upwards, arcing through the air to see how her friend was catching up and gasped with awe as Alya leapt mountains towards her- the two met gaze and giggled. The designer flipped forward and let her self fall to the street side- throwing out her yoyo in a smooth flourish and let herself swing by over the cars and street- her feet skidding against the asphalt and the pools of water caused by the ripped out fire hydrants- the cars like sharks in comparison.

 

Alya cackled from the clouds above. How did it feel to be like her? Marinette wondered as she swung to the other building. Running along side her friend with only the streets below as the parting line between them. Alya letting out shrieks of excitement as she flipped about in the newfound agility and power that became the wings to her sandals. 

 

They joined back again, unable to stop laughing and whooping and spinning and dancing.

 

The wind flew past her face, tickling her ears as the smile couldn't bare to rip away from her face. Marinette's cheeks were hurting by the joy that was crackling out of her chest, like a short circuit had just burst from her. Their feet beating against the brick and cement like a parade. Come on come on! Their hearts say. Jump and dance about! 

 

Being a hero, it felt fun.!

 

Alya dive rolled over a row of air vents, tramping across the ground like an animal before reaching the end of the building and in a leap of faith pounced upwards in what felt like miles, spinning gracefully and clawing across the constellations, like she was so eager to add her own stars. How beautiful she was, cackling with bliss shaking in her lungs. 

 

Marinette's eyes shined, and somewhere in the passing storm from earlier that day, she could hear a distant rumble.

 

Ladybug managed to swing over just in time to catch Alya in her arms upon the next buildings. Her hair was completely frizzed up, completely high on the adrenaline rush and she couldn't help the giggles leave her chest like bubbles of condensed Joy.

 

"WOOOO!" Alya walloped.

 

"Careful!" Ladybug smiled, spinning her to the ground, their knees giving as laughter overtook the two of them. Leaning on each other as an overwhelming filled the two friends' chests, separated by only a thin glass pane.

 

"Is- Is that how you two feel-" Alya began, heaving with each breath not out of exhaustion but to keep up with her own pulsing energy. Heart racing no doubt a mile a minute, euphoria filling her mind to the brim was what Marinette could just visibly see on her Best Friend's face. Was that how Marinette felt that first day? No she was terrified, but here, here Alya looked so, so...

 

Her eyes were sparkling, and she looked like she was vibrating with Life.

 

"Everyday!" Marinette smiled breathlessly. Was that even a lie? Or was it what she was simply feeling now, in the girl's very presence? Her own heart was beating out of her chest, she was shaking with awe.

 

"This.. is.. Incredible! You're Incredible!" Alya exclaimed, grinning wildly. Foxlike. It was then Ladybug noticed the addition of fangs, which she hadn't noticed from being entranced by those wild and inescapable violet eyes. Marinette was staring far too long at her best crush- friend, best friend, crush, no, best girlfrien- no, BEST GIRL THAT IS FRIEND. YES.

 

She was totally straight. Being straight was super valid! It was okay being straight! She was straight right- yes- mhm! Yeah! The date- with Panthera- was Platonic- Uhuh! Aly- Alya is amazing! That's all there and that's okay! She can admire Fox Alya. Like how she could admire Panthera Noire! HAHAHAHAHAHAH. OKAY. MOVING ON. AHAHAHAH.

 

"L- Let's go save your little sisters, yeah?" Marinette quickly said, trying to look away before the heat across her face would stay hidden beneath her mask.

 

Alya giggled, "Yeah! Let's go.!"

 

...

 

"FUCK! GET THE FUCK- AGH!" Panthera snarled as a Sapotis jumped up and snagged her hair, yanking her down enough for another swarm to climb onto her. She hissed at them, throwing them off and stomping on hat after hat. "BITCHIN- UGH-!"

 

Panthera grabbed onto the top part of her jacket and in a torrid yank- she threw a large amount of Sapotis off her and cracked the majority's of their hats of. She smirked, ducking under a flying sapotis but let out a shout of frustration as twice as many game thrashing in.

 

"IT'S ENDLESS! FUCK!" Panthera bellowed with anger, letting out another warning swipe before her arm was weighed by five cackling sapotis. "PARTNER!"

 

"Look's like we're just in time!"

 

Alya sweeped downwards from above, just a step after Ladybug. She landed on the ground hard and she felt that sudden spark go through her legs but reach to a zero on the pain level. The feeling like you were on top of the world, unstoppable, it was riveting. Exuberant. It felt like her every vein was filled with an unstoppable energy. If this was how being a superhero felt.. man. There was no way Alya couldn't help them now.!

 

Immediately she took her flute in hand, winding back her arms as she saw the Sapotis already swarming towards her. Sorry Etta! Or Ella! Or Both! Her eyes shone. And I'm sorry for me, cause I know once I smack you it's gonna be so addicting. Feeding the Cain instinct was something too tempting and now that it was necessary? Well.

 

CRACK!

 

CRACK!

 

CRACK!

 

One on the left! BAM- One on the right! BAM! Everywhere Alya turned, a red blob of cackling spite came hurling at her and she blocked it or smacked it back with ease. A whole army of baddies against her and she felt Unstoppable!

 

"FORE!" She sent a Sapotis flying in one direction as Ladybug threw one at her.

 

"That was more like baseball!" Ladybug quipped, exploding five in a flourish of her yoyo. Alya let out a cackle before squawking with surprise as a suddenly hand started tugging at her hair and screaming in her hair.

 

"HAHAHAA PIGGYBACK RIDE!"

 

"AGH! I'VE BEEN HIJACKED!" Alya shouted, trying to reach back to no evail, running in circles. "I-I NEED BACKUP!"

 

"On your right- duck!"

 

Alya dropped to her knees and suddenly the sapotis on her back went flying. Alya popped back to her feet and she had to physically keep her jaw from dropping as she stood up to face Panthera Noire. Her emerald eyes wide and glistening.

 

"Oh, hello" She said flatly, flatter than normal. In a way that took Alya rather off guard. Panthera knocked a group of Sapotis off their feet with a calm swipe of her pole to which Ladybug destroyed quickly and took a spell to lean over Alya. Alya's star struck grin fell a little with her own ray of confusion. Panthera stared at her for a moment more before grinning calmly, "You're new aren't you, Cutie?"

 

"A- Ah! Well-!" Haha, classic Panthera. But, but there was something off about the cat hero's gaze that set Alya off. What...

 

"How are you, Al- er- uh, how are you right now, Newbie?" Ladybug ran up, dusting herself off with a friendly, bubbly smile. "I think we chased this big group off for now!"

 

Alya's energy returned, letting Panthera fade into the background as she began practically jumping in place.

 

"This is so insane! I've got powers and I'm fighting super-villains! Thank you so much, Ladybug!" Alya yipped excitedly.

 

"And who might you be, Le Femme Rouge?" Panthera purred darkly, looking at her up and down. Alya giggled bashfully but it still, didn't feel- right? Panthera wasn't staring at her sexually no no, girl drank her respect all woman juice every day despite acting like a manwhore bard but that's not what she meant it just felt- hmm.

 

It felt, artificial. Alya would dig deeper, she wanted to, but there were more important matters to attend to...

 

...LIKE SUPER HERO NAMES EYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

 

"Panthera Noire, this is- ah-" Ladybug began, motioning to Alya who was bouncing in place.

 

"Call me- uh- uh, Reeeeeeeeeeeeena! Rena! Rena Rouge! Yes! Rena, Rena Rouge!" A smile crept across her face, yeah. She liked that. "Rena Rouge."

 

Panthera smiled, there was that look again. Alya had more words for it now. Calculating. Inspective. Was Panthera suspicious of her? But it's just me. Alya thought conspicuously. How odd... 

 

As if Panthera could see Alya trying to match her wavelength though, it's like it all cut off, and an impenetrable wall was put between them full of charms and toothy smiles and tilted heads that exposed more of her face as her dark hair that looked like lustrous strands of plucked obsidian moved out of the way. 

 

"Nice name, Rookie Rouge. It suits you kindly, among other things~" Panthera said in a teasing tone, every word falling at her lips like melted honey as she took the fox hero's hand in her own, pressing a kiss to her knuckles. Her sweet words weaseled it's ways through Alya's ears and she only realized the sneaky cat called her a Rookie until a second after- taken aback by how easy it was to get entranced by Panthera's very tone.

 

"Is that true?" Rena found herself able to say, a sly chip to her tone coming to her. "Do flatter me more, kitty cat."

 

"Slippery fox, think you'll be as sneaky as a cat?" Panthera challenged a little, raising to a taller height. Ladybug shifted a bit uncomfortably to the side, her smile a little wobbly and unsure.

 

"Uh, guys?" Ladybug began.

 

"I don't know, Noire." Rena sang as she flicked at the cat hero's bell, hearing it let out a jingle. "Should we take bets?"

 

Panthera's ears flicked upwards a little and Rena could see her ear offsidedly twitch. Panthera let a innocent, yet toothy smile cross her face.

 

"I like your superhero friend, Partner." Panthera dryly purred, "She's, fun."

 

Validation from the real Panthera Noire! In the heroic setting! But there was still the impression the cat hero was on edge. Rena Rouge couldn't describe why or how she could see it but it was like she had taken off 3D glasses in a Normal Screen Theatre.

 

It had just occurred to Alya that she thought herself differently depending how she looked at things. Alya Cesaire, or Rena Rouge. Not a point of pivotal information but she did fine it curious. She glanced at Panthera Noire and Ladybug. I wonder if Panthera or Ladybug think in a scattered form. That would be a treat to the ears, or eyes if it was written down.

 

Ladybug smiled proudly at her, eyes glistening with something that- Alya couldn't describe.

 

"I surround myself with only the best." She expressed sweetly. There was something warmer in the superhero's tone that made Alya's heart flutter out of her chest. A personal flitter of her voice that felt sincere and deep. Alya decided to not delve into understanding why as Ladybug turned from them. "We should go soon, Panthera, Rena."

 

"Welcome to the team" Panthera nudged her slightly, a glitter of thought behind her wide emerald eyes. "If you need any cool superhero tips, you know where to come."

 

"Great! Was hoping to catch Ladybug's number one of these days." Rena slyly remarked, making Panthera let out a guffaw of amusement, coupled by the embarrassed sputter of the Ladybug hero in question. Panthera let out a breath of relaxed ease. 

 

"You are a witty one." Panthera admitted with a slight smirk. "Let's see if it aids us today on our daily apocalypse."

 

Alya's fist tightened at her side, clenching with determination. You bet it will! I'll make sure not to let either of you down..!

 

"Shit! Guys! Back to work! Another wave is coming!" Ladybug shouted over the two of them. Rena gasped, turning around with shock. Thousands, upon THOUSANDS of cackling, chittering, snarling Sapotis came trampling down the street, off of roofs, out of garbage chutes- 

 

"They've got us surrounded!" She exclaimed.

 

"Looks like Hawkmoth sent out a full alert!" Panthera remarked.

 

"We're retreating!" Ladybug ordered, running to the side of the nearest building in the Plaza. "Follow me!"

 

"To the ends of the Earth, Red!" Panthera quipped.

 

"You two have to be dating" Rena said, jumping after the two of them. 

 

"You'd be surprised." Panthera slyly smirked under her breath as they landed on the roof. As they reached up there, they overlooked the rest of the city and Rena's ears drooped. Oh god. It was crawling with Them. "There's gotta be Thousands at this point."

 

"But they're only focused on us now, not multiplying." Ladybug said a careful hushed whisper. Steely and strong. Rena watched the two speak and interact. The Ladyblog was the most packful, detailed, and consistent source of an accurate on demand collection of information and sourced videos of the heroes of Paris. But someone had to run it, gather for it, and that was her.

 

She could practically guess each word flying out of Panthera's jaw. The recognizable flitters and jolts of Ladybug's ribbons that emoted like an animated pair of antenna. But even so, the new fox hero devoured the moment of sparkful information reaching her lips. Rena witnessed up close the personalness between the heroes away from the cameras, away from the public.

 

"They're practically indestructible besides the destruction of the hat." Panthera said, devoid of any chatter or flirt. Her wild raspy voice a more deeper and quieter tone. "But cataclysm is at the ready."

 

"If we can tag the original two, we could be set so long as their hats are touching and catclysm can spread to both." Ladybug added on inquisitively, biting her thumb so familiarly. 

 

"But tagging them will be impossible by how identical they all are." Panthera refuted, to which Ladybug agreed- in the form of a delicate nod.

 

"Lucky charm!" She shouted before letting out a gasp of shock. The three gathered to Ladybug just in time to help her catch the large unicycle which fell down to them in a flash of red light. Alya blinked. Okay now that it was her job to help make this their deux ex machina of justice and prevailing all Alya could ask was what the hell are we going to do with this?

 

Ladybug's eyes dashed around in a wild display of thought, the girls turning and clicking so vividly behind her silvery irises that Panthera had already begun running away from the climbing hoards of Sapotis.

 

"Whenever you're ready, Partner!" Panthera flicked the hair out of her face. Alya looked to Ladybug for guidance, instructions, a secure plan, and all she got was a mischievous grin. Okay! Guess how this'll go.

 

"I got a plan. I need some things." Ladybug grinned wildly.

 

...

 

"Hear ye, hear ye! Sapoti-Land, the amusement park of the future, is about to open! Mischief of all types are permitted in Sapoti-land! All-you-can-eat desserts! Fountains of orange juice! Big-kid movies and video games!"

 

Alya grimaced, taping the last of her late night art project together. Hopefully this'd work. Alya still couldn't wrap her head around what this was going to do anyhow now, but she trusted Ladybug, and that seemed to be a core factor here.

 

A short thump pricked her ears and Panthera appeared from the darkness, smiling brightly.

 

"Alright Rookie Rouge," She smiled, making Alya chuckle. "Time to use your power!"

 

Alya gulped down hard and stood up, taking the flute from her side worriedly. She stared down at it. She'd never played a wind instrument in her life, she only played the Tuba once in Middle School and, well, that didn't go well.

 

"I've never tried it. I hope it works.." She whispered to herself. Panthera gave a sympathetic smile and leaned over.

 

"Just think of what illusion you want to create as you hum your lil' song." Panthera purred in her ear, a comforting hand on her shoulder giving a squeeze. "Think, what do these kids want The Most. Stay focused, Rena. You got this."

 

Alya sighed endearingly. Oh she knew.

 

And so, she began to play. Her eyes shut close and it was like a secret instinct took over. A playful quiet diddy played through her ears and almost through her soul, cutting through her heart and wisping around her. Rena Rouge's eyes snapped open as a humming, vibrating ball of energy burned at the end of her flute. A compact image of all of her thoughts and ideas- 

 

I've got this..!

 

"MIRAGE!"

 

Rena flung it into the air and watched with awe as- like a firework- it exploded across the sky in a blast of color, the sudden images of the most luxurious, exciting, thrilling amusement park she could ever Dream about coming to life before the two of them. It looked so real, but like a Mirage, so far away you'd be running for forever till you got a taste of popcorn or the feeling of getting closer.

 

"YES!" She cheered.

 

Bee-beep!

 

Rena blinked with surprise and looked down, staring at the source of the peculiar sound. She held up her pendant in her hands and blinked widely at the fox miraculous. One of the tail rings flickering out of color.

 

"My necklace is flashing. Um," She looked up at Panthera Noire, emerald eyes glittering in the night time of Paris. Even in front of her, it looked like the cat hero herself blended in with the night.

 

Alya found the sudden need to gulp, her presence was alarmingly intense so up close. Not that she hadn't been up close before, interviews could prove that, but this was different. This was Panthera Noire on Business. But even so, her expression was kind so she continued with her words-

 

"That means I'm gonna change back soon, right?" Rena Rouge asked. Panthera giggled out a chuffed sound.

 

"Someone's done her Homework. Sure is. But you know..." The taller girl purred. Rena stepped backwards as Panthera seemed to glide towards her and despite the heels- Alya now realized- the cat hero made little sounds when walking. Rena's ears shot up as Panthera leaned over her, teeth a glimmer in the golden light of the city. "...it's okay if I see who you are. I can keep a secret."

 

Alya's eyes widened. So she can't recognize me despite the outfit? That's, insane. It's like Sailor Moon... but she's met me before, I haven't changed that much, but she still can't see Me. Alya. Fascinating. Shit, that means, darn it that means I probably won't recognize Ladybug ever if it's Magic. Even if I bumped into her myself. Damn it!

 

"Well?" Panthera purred, Rena realized her hand was beside her head now and sweat began to build against her face as she stared Up at Panthera. She was freakishly tall now that Alya thought about it, and that made her all the more terrifyingly respectable as her voice whispered in the form of a hot breath against her face. "I won't if you don't want me to.."

 

"How suggestive sounding of you, Panthera." She rose an eyebrow flirtatiously.

 

"This isn't about that kind of stuff unless you're trying to make it be." Panthera smirked, unwieldy in Rena's attempts to mentally knock her back, though she could see the slight twitch in her brow. "Then I'd have to decline."

 

Panthera couldn't Recognize her, it was Frustrating to her. Alya could suddenly see it in her eyes. Clouded and dark, thin, swirling with thought. All the confusing looks she's been getting, they were all Panthera trying to figure out who she was. And it was killing her that she couldn't! But.. why does she so bad. Maybe..-!

 

Be-Beep. Be-Beep.

 

Alya inhaled, before she calmly crossed her arms and smirked.

 

"Naughty kitty," Rena Rouge said, walking two fingers up Panthera's collarbone before politely pushing the cat hero back and to Alya's surprise, that itself didn't take any effort as Panthera wasn't leaning two hard. That meant she was always down to walk away if Rena didn't want to spill, but, this wasn't about putting down a simple request- it was turning the tables and making The Interrogator into The Interrogee. "You know very well that our identities must remain secret."

 

"Quick as a whip, aren't you, Rookie Rouge." Panthera slowly smiled, her voice sounded less stable, shakier, but still in a tight grasping need to be in control of their dialogue. Rena smiled brighter, pushing off the side of the chimney and slowly dragging her feet forward. "Then don't tell me, as I said, your secret. You've learnt well from Ladybug, so so well."

 

"Quite so, Madame Noire, but tell me, if identities are so important, why want to know mine? Do you and Ladybug know each other's?" Rena asked, tilting her head to the side with a wide, toothy grin.

 

Panthera's face was still and controlled, but Alya could see the twitch- the flex- of the cat hero's body that communicated to the fox that she was Tensing. Her tail behind the girl, normally swaying in a rhythmic flow, almost like a ribbon, drifting in the flow of a stream. But it was twitching now, lashing. See-

 

Lies and truths could be seen through congruency. Maybe there were better liars in the world than Alya, people better at sniffing them out, but it was like a switch had turned on for Alya and she could finally focus on what she needed to see when she was the eye witness of a scoundrel.

 

And when a truth was so congruent with someone, whether it was always standing still, or always making eye contact- the moment it Broke is when you Knew something was wrong. It was like Alya's eyes had been opened to a realm of possibility. Illusions, Lies, what were the difference. How Ironic it was for the Reporter to become the Mistress of Illusions.

 

"That's disclosed info, Rena." Panthera laughed so lightly. 'So long as I pretend that I don't know what you're trying to do, I'll look innocent' so that's the game you're playing, Panthera. Alya's own ear twitched. "I'm sure you'll find reasons to believe we know each other in any way I answer, but I say, it's quite your charm."

 

For once in her life, Alya slowed down to just Watch. What was Panthera's Performance? How did she utilize her mask? What was her posture? How did she walk, how did she stare, how did she smile, and how did she Speak? And now, what was Off?

 

"I'm so flattered, but really, tell me." Rena pressed so politely. Panthera's ears tilted backwards just so. Funny, Rena never knew there were such flecks of brilliant copper in those icy, silencing, green eyes. "Are you trust worthy to tell my identity to, or do you want to know cause you're just steaming with the frustration you can't figure it out.. "

 

Rena challenged her, despite the ever revealing warning etched into the cracks of Panthera's face. Panthera looked almost flustered at Rena's attitude, off guard, like she'd been emotionally knocked off her feet.

 

"If you Did know who Ladybug was, you must be wondering; now who is this lovely Foxy Girl." Rena whistled out a hum, resting her hands on her hips. 

 

"There's no need for me to know." Panthera contended, trying to reign her control back with a charming smile. "If I'm to trust my partner, I have to trust my partner. Identities aside- that's a topic complicated and ever deeper than you can obviously imagine. You won't have to worry of course-"

 

"Now why are Identities so important? Is it to protect you both from others- or- you two- from Each Other-" Alya asked, the hardest part about a battle of wits was containing your simmering pot. Controlling the hands that wanted to grasp and the easy to rust silver tongue that wanted to blabber. And it was also hard to make sure, that your opponent managed to do the one thing that could ruin it all. Not play the game.

 

"We should be waiting for Ladybug's queue, Rena Rouge" Panthera bristled, turning away from Rena with that polite toothy grin. Rena Rouge's pride bloomed in her chest. Feeling successful in their miniature battle, even if it was a stale mate.

 

Their eyes met and Panthera's eyes softened into something- Rena dare say genuine. But no words were spoken. Only a silent respect at an arm's distance with a flicker of well rounded mischief. Alya focused her thoughts on somewhere else though, filling her lungs with strength.

 

Time to save my little sisters. Alya smiled determinedly.

 

"PHASE TWO GUYS, NOW!"

 

...

 

It was a lot easier than they thought it'd be. Children can be very silly and stupid sometimes it was very convenient.

 

"Pound it!" They all exclaimed, making a 3 way fist bump. Ladybug could see Alya internally squeeing about it and it made her heart soar. They leapt down from the roof top they sat at and down to the two saved children. Etta, and Ella. Dizzy and lost looking. Scared.

 

"Ett—!" Rena began but Ladybug stopped her, placing a reminding hand on her shoulder. Alya blanched and nodded awkwardly, smothering her clear worry. "Uh...gotta get going! Uh...before I transform back!

 

Panthera smiled at Rena Rouge, giving a little wink. "I look forward to fighting villains with you again, Rena Rouge. Stay witty will you? I find you pretty fun in my opinion. Let's chat more, don't you think?"

 

"Trying to figure me out? What a tomcat, still." Alya said back with a smile. Ladybug refused to feel left out on whatever conversations they must've been having while she enacted the Part A to their plan. "See you around, kitty."

 

Panthera stuck her tongue playfully out at them as Ladybug took Rena by the hand and they headed off. The sounds of Panthera getting tackled by two kids in the distance just enough in their reach to make them laugh.

 

Just in time too, as Rena skidded to a stop and suddenly the magic wisped off of her in a flash of orange light.

 

"That was- that was- Unreal!" Alya exclaimed in the alleyway, just outside the streets. Trixx yawned, spinning around her. "God I- I did that! I fought some supervillains, a bunch of supervillains!"

 

"A whole bunch!" Marinette giggled with elation.

 

"An-And we did the pound it thing and- we did it!" Alya breathed heavily, hair standing on end. "That was, awesome."

 

"You've really helped us a lot. Thank you, Alya." Marinette smiled happily as she extended out her open palm. Alya stared at her and anxiously reached to the fox pendant around her neck. Her best friend's eyes darted between her and Trixx who was floating apathetically.

 

"Uh... You know, if I held onto it, I could help you again." Alya began, wringing her fingers together. Ladybug frowned then, eyebrows narrowing into something more serious and just a tad frustrated. Oh come on Alya, please.

 

"You made a promise." Ladybug pressed, taking a step forward.

 

"Ladybug, please!" Alya said, opening up her arms widely. "We'd make a great team! I could help you a-and Panthera Noire every day! It'll be just like tonight but even better. We can be even stronger and smarter a-and I can help cover you on the media.."

 

Ladybug's heart sank. That sounded... so perfect. It would be her and Alya. Alya and her. Maybe she could even tell Alya. What would that hurt. They'd both be heroes, together. No more stress. Alya was so smart, she'd figure things out for the both of them. And Panthera, she was a bit on edge today she could see it but that's cause Panthera was so protective and soon she'd just Adore Rena Rouge, Marinette knew Ladybug did but.. but.. 

 

Marinette heard her earrings beep and Ladybug brought herself back to focus.

 

"I'm about to transform back! Hurry!" She urged harder, her voice shaking with desperation. Alya's face fell.

 

"Please..?"

 

Ladybug's heart sank even deeper so- as the beeping got louder and louder. She shook her head, turning harshly into the building next to them. It'd be too late if she waited any longer. And she couldn't face away from The Guardian. Because he was the guide they had. The only one who could tell her what her Purpose was.

 

"I'll be back, Alya." Ladybug said, slowly turning to the reporter girl outside, clutching the necklace around her neck and face twisted and eyes, hazel and warm, black with disappointment. Ladybug nodded to her deeply, "I'm trusting you."

 

Ladybug shut the door behind her just in time and she let out a heavy, trembling sigh as the magic fell around her and normal, messy, pathetic Marinette fell to her knees on the floor. Marinette grumbled to herself, pulling her knees in close to her chest. Tikki floated by her.

 

What would she do..?

 

To see Alya with such remorse and desperation, and by her own hand, feeling even more guiltdriven and heartached as Marientte rebuked her. She figured out finally, what she would describe Ladybug as in one word. And it had many names.


Tearing. Torn. Split.

 

Her desires to be a hero with Alya, and her desires to uphold her promises with Master Fu. 

 

Alya made the decision for her tonight though, as the door creaked open- spiking Marinette's fear before she saw one of Alya's calloused hands out, worn from work, from a constant a typing, clicking of cameras, rough housing, her insistence of 'parkour'ing- gently placed the box on the ground, Fox Pendant inside. Before slowly slithering out of the door.

 

Marinette stifled a sigh of relief. This didn't feel completely like a win. She'd have to ask the fox out more. Marinette wasn't sure if her admiration for Alya would be able to hold if she didn't. There was so much to do.

 

Ba-bump

 

Ba-bump

 

...

 

"THE FOOD HAS BEEN REVIVED!" Rose exclaimed.

 

"YES!" Juleka cried out with joy.

 

 

Notes:

Aka; Alya flirts/gets flirted by Paris's Heroes

Was listening to Heaven is a Place on Earth while writing this

Chapter 57: Robustus

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

A few weeks ago...

 

Kim stared blankly at Max's disheveled form, a small crooked smile reaching his lips.

 

"Bro I thought we were having a sleepover. I even brought nail polish." Kim said, his voice not afraid to show it's slight confusion and disappointment riddled in his tone. He still offered a teasing grin though, looking his friend up and down. "You don't even got your pajamas on, have you eaten, bro? I can cook you up something nice and comforting like how my dad-"

 

"Kim, Kim, Kim- I'm fine, I'm perfectly- are those- are those Mario sweat- never mind. That's not why I called you here." Max hurriedly said, inviting the taller teen in. His eyebrows narrowed a bit more. “Why- what even is your shirt”

 

“Oh my Evangelion shirt? I watched it cause of the fencer girl. I asked if she liked anime she said yes I said what and she told me this. I watched it, I was horrified, it’s great.”

 

“Ok but why is Garfield on it?”

 

Kim paused, staring down at his Garfield Neon Genesis Evangelion shirt.

 

“I seriously don’t know what to say.” Kim said.

 

Kim took his shoes off by the door, it was more instinct, he did it at his own house and none of his friends minded, though Max mindlessly passed him some inside slippers. The floor was cold after all, Kim learned this after a while.

 

"It seemed that way, I mean, bro it's like-" Kim looked at his workout watch. He never took that sucker off. I mean- come on! What if he sleep ran? He had to make sure his work out stuff was keeping track of that! Would be a total dick move to not congratulate his golden bod for working out on it's own. Then all his sleep training would pay off.

 

And then, he'd finally achieve his dream. His dream of sleep swimming, so he when he had that dream where a giant crab man who was Benedict Cumberbatch and The Rock's child who had elmo eyes challenged him to a noodle swimming race where Alix died halfway through from an ear infection caused by an evil Buzz Lightyear coming to avenge his twin brother Bill Allen- he'd finally win before the halfway mark, where Penny Wise ate his face.

 

He was so caught up in the memory of that he forgot to actually say what time it was.

 

Max gave him a tired look, "Look, my mom isn't home right now. And I needed to call someone. Are you willing to take this to your grave?"

 

Kim rose an eyebrow, "Well sure, of course. Unless that includes Ondine, that might happen, if we play Secrets and I run out of things to say like what if I run out of my OWN secrets so I gotta borrow a few from my friends or movies or Shake it Up and she dives in time and-"

 

"Kim.!" Max begged tiredly. Kim rose his hands.

 

"Lips sealed! Lips sealed! Lips sealed! Lips sealed!" Kim exclaimed, making a zipped motion over his mouth and making a goofy yanking imitation. Max sighed. rubbing the space between his eyes. Kim tilted his head. He hummed to himself, scratching his head before giving a supportive grin. "Look Max, you called me super late for a reason, and I came. So what do you need? I'm willing to stay all night to help you out!"

 

Max stared up at the taller boy and smiled.

 

"Thank you, Kim." Max said softly, gesturing to his room. "If you will, please be quiet, it woke up shortly after I called you and has been.. manic in a way.."

 

"It? Who is it?" Kim asked but he stepped in before his words faded from his lips and his jaw very much dropped to the floor before sinking into the core of the earth. His eyes bugged out wildly.

 

The soft whirring of a living machine. The blinking LED eyes. Connected to a computer. Text and tabs opening and typing on screen- displaying how to tutorials, scientific videos, green light pouring from the 1s and 0s... It was learning. It was questioning. It was.. alive.

 

"Are you-" It began, voice mechanical, and yet, light, and lively. Computer generated. Like one of those ai sound thingies. Curious and in wonder as it stared right at Kim. He could see on another screen a picture of a penguin family in Antarctica. Kim's eyes widened. "Are you my mother?"

 

Kim blinked. Slowly looking at Max with wide eyes.

 

"Max did you birth a robot baby?" Kim blubbered, his eyes beginning to sparkle and tear up "IS IT- IS IT MINE?"

 

"KIM!" Max exclaimed, his face plastered with embarrassment, blubbering at his own very lips. Kim barked out a laugh, patting him on the back. The two boys illuminated by blue light. The jock smiled.

 

"Dude relax, just a joke." Kim said, bending over the small robot who blinked up at him. "Hello! What's your name?"

 

"It has no name yet-" Max said quickly, fidgeting with his glasses anxiously. "But I- I was meant to make some sort of, self regulating ai as smart as a person to play test my games.. I was just testing around, opening up documents I don't think I was supposed to hack into, I think I went too deep, the ai- I kept improving it- I managed to get it to self improve itself, but then there was this glitch- and after I rebooted it it turned it- maybe, it now can- It says it's alive. That just isn't pos-possibile.!"

 

"How do you know it isn't?" Kim asked, tilting his head to the side. Max's eyes widened.

 

"Excuse me! But, my name is Markov." They blinked down at the small robot. It had displayed upon Max's multiple screens the words. Tabs up research paused as it- his eyes sparkled wide. Kim's mouth fell wide with absolute enthrallment and he looked down to see Max knelt before his plugged in creation. Markov stared at him.

 

"Markov?" Max echoed questioningly, his eyes wide with awe.

 

"yes! Markov! that is me!"

 

"Why.. did you chose the name Markov?" Max slowly asked. Kim rose an eyebrow. Kim had trouble figuring out things often. He was a himbo with pride and he wore that like a gold metal. But he knew emotions. And it often had to do with putting yourself in other's shoes. Easy peasy! Markov didn't HAVE SHOES! And if Kim was Markov...

 

"I bet he chose it cause it sounded cool!" Kim exclaimed.

 

"Kim shh!" Max hushed desperately, holding up a finger to his lips. "Can't you see? I'm trying to get answers from-"

 

"actually, yes!"

 

"Huh?"

 

Markov's robotic eyes turned into a joyful '^ ^'. Like he was smiling.

 

"I thought it suited me! I like it! Yes! I am Markov! I am Markov!" Confetti like effects went across Max's screens. The robot's eyes slowly opened, looking up at Max with wide, curious eyes. "who are you? are you my father?"

 

Max wasn't good at people-ing. Kim would give him that. And that was okay. His bro was a genius in so many other areas of life, Max was the smartest guy he knew. In fact, Kim would freely say how much he looked up to the guy.

 

Max found emotional, mental comfort in equations. In logistics. In dynamics and numbers and that was incredible. He saw the world in such an amazing way and Kim, full heartedly, only wanted Max to know much he celebrated that. And seeing his friend, so wide eyed, so in awe. Kim swore he saw Stars beneath those glasses.

 

"What is a father to you?" Max asked with deep thought and excitement.

 

Markov's eyes glazed over with calculation shown through the very screens around them. Markov blinked.

 

"in accordance to my research, while it is not in my intention to presume as i have researched about the exist of PRONOUNS from the LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY i have found from my analysis that you are MALE and in accordance to that you have created me; you are my father. Definition: a man in relation to his child or children."

 

Max's nose scrunched up a little at that. The logic wasn't off, Kim figured, but thinking about what Max might've he knew-

 

"That.. doesn't suit me." Max muttered. Kim blinked.

 

"Bro you're trans? That's awesome."

 

"I don't think Him calling Me father suits me." Max laughed endearingly. Kim's mouth turned into a small 'o' shape.

 

"Ohhhh" He said, rubbing the back of his neck a little embarrassed, as Max leaned closer to his beloved and new creation. "Right."

 

"Markov, I may have created you but.. I don't think I can be called father, that's just, a bit weird." Max said, cupping the robot in his hands. Markov stared up at him. His body whirred and fidgeted before his voice came out in it's own squeak.

 

"oh, is this what google has defined to me as CHILD ABANDONMENT?" Markov asked innocently. Max and Kim blanched.

 

"NO! No, no no no." Max quickly sputtered.

 

"NO MILK! NO MILK!" Kim waved his arms wildly. Max inhaled slowly before softly staring at Markov with a little smile upon his face, lit up by the light of the computer monitors and glistening with the glued on glow in the dark stars that stared down from the ceiling of the room.

 

"I think, I'm happy to be your friend, Markov. My name, is Max" His friend the inventor grinned politely, Markov beamed up at him. The robot's- while short life- having been changed forever by those mere words. Whilst pride seemed to blossom from Max's expression.

 

"Friend. Friend! I am your friend. Thank you Max. I feel like, a friend!" Markov excitedly exclaimed. "Best friends, Max, and Markov, forever! And you! Who are you! Can I be your friend too?"

 

"Hell yeah! My name is Kim! I'm one of Max's friends! And a friend of Max is a friend of me!" Kim grinned, pointing an enthusiastic thumb into his chest. His chest pumping with the pride and joy he felt every day to be.

 

"You have other friends?" Markov tilted his head. His own eyes wide with thought and curiosity."May I learn about them too? Can I be friends with them, as well?"

 

That was the first night they spent with Markov. Version one had been complete, nicknamed; Version Humanity. Mobility was their next course. It was a real good thing Kim brought his Legos. Kim couldn't wait for the class to meet him.

 

...

 

Juleka tapped her foot a little impatiently. But she'd wait forever if she had to, really. 

 

"While we're out, we should buy camembert" 

 

"Plagg no we're literally going to school."

 

"But I'm hungryyy" Plagg complained. He patted his small black furred tummy for emphasis. Juleka chuckled at him and he glared in response. "You starve not only my stomach but the genius connoisseur in me."

 

"I buy you string cheese cause the camembert stinks up my backpack, I don't have one of those fancy container things, and all the ones you want are weirdly expensive." Juleka said tiredly.

 

"Come onnn though, I can be treated from time to time, can't I?" Plagg tilted his head. Juleka paused at that. He was right she supposed, she hadn't treated him a while. Damn, she's a terrible friend...

 

"Ok, after school, we can go to the store." Juleka smiled, "You can pick whatever you want."

 

"An-ANYTHING I WANT? I CAN CHOOSE!?" Plagg exclaimed, his eyes suddenly shining with stars. Juleka chuckled.

 

"Anything I can afford."

 

Plagg pouted, "Cheese isn't that expensive."

 

"Sorry for the wait, Jules!"

 

"Hide" Juleka said, Plagg was already two steps ahead.

 

"Miss Heidi decided to drop in." Rose scurried up the metro entrance stairs, smiling as she made her way in front of the goth. "You didn't have to see me here, you could've just waited at school, I wouldn't want you to be late.."

 

""s nothing, Rose." Juleka shook her head softly. A giddy smile reached her lips, she hadn't smiled so much in just general life before. It was contagious with Rose. The girlfriend thing helped. "I love seeing you, um, and maybe walking is, good? For. Me? Yes. Walking good. Ahah-"

 

She laughed awkwardly for a short second. Her face darkened into a pink. Rose stared up at her, still smiling. Juleka coughed into her fist, attempting to hide behind her hair and maybe if she tried hard enough, sink into the void so Rose couldn't see her.

 

"I think it's sweet, Jules" Rose said, taking her hand.

 

"Thamnk you,," Juleka mumbled, bending down to hide in the shorter girl's shoulder and burrowing into her heart patterned hoodie with embarrassment. Rose just giggled.

 

They walked together in the early morning and they didn't stray far apart until they were on their way to science class during the afternoon. Lunch had ended, they shared their boxes, and on their way to science, poof she realized.

 

"I forgot my bag." Juleka deadpanned tiredly, she wouldn't admit that the only reason she noticed now was because she was holding Rose's hand all day and her brain registered; oh already holding something don't need the other thing and right now, she wasn't. But, that was the truth.

 

"You're getting a bit more forgetful." Rose remarked lightly, her chipper tone playful as she poked at her. But Juleka just paled. Was that true? Oh god was that true? Oh no. She can't be forgetful. That's bad. That's a bad thing-

 

"I- I am? Is that something that's happening? Have I forgotten anything for you I-"

 

"No no! It was a tease." Rose quickly reassured, taking Juleka's hand. "We still have time. We can go get your bag together, Jules!"

 

Juleka sighed with a quiet relief but she still shook her head.

 

"It's okay, I can go get it myself." Juleka said, holding up a hand. "I don't want you to be late and get on Ms Mendeleiev's bad side."

 

"What if you're late?" Rose worriedly asked.

 

They heard a crash and the two turned to see Marinette getting up via the strangest and most inhuman cartwheel she'd ever seen on her way to the locker room. Juleka blinked. She pointed a thumb at the fashion designer.

 

"Yeah I- I think she'll notice that before she notices me." Juleka said. The two girlfriends giggled a moment before Rose smiled.

 

"Okay! I'll see you in class then!!" Rose squeaked, pressing a soft kiss to her cheek before scrambling her way after the rest of their traveling class. Juleka softly smiled before turning heel. 

 

"Oh, hey Juleka. Where're you goin?" Alya asked, her head following the goth's direction along with the few others on their way that were behind them. Chloe and Sabrina included. She shared a brief wave before turning to Alya. She was surprised Alya even acknowledged her. Not that she'd normally ignore her, or brush her off, Juleka was just... invisible. 

 

"I forgot my bag too. I'll make sure she doesn't slip and break her neck in the locker room, or somethin'" Juleka smiled lightly before following her way behind Marinette.

 

...

 

Juleka poked her head into the locker room and the rest of her quietly followed. Her foot steps had gotten softer, she didn't want to alert Marinette in any way, to bother. Plagg nestled close to her shoulder, spitting out a bit of her hair. 

 

"Shh," Juleka whispered. She could see Marinette now, finding her bag. She crept behind the tall benches and found her own, picking it off the floor with a gentle, silent grab with barely a jostle to be heard and skittered behind behind another wall of lockers to keep out of sight.

 

"oh silly me, there it is." Juleka watched as Marinette held up her bag with a smile. Her lips twitched upwards a bit before another voice rang out in the locker room. Juleka hid a bit more in shock and soon confusion as she crept to the other side of the lockers to see further at who else was there.

 

"Of course you're my best friend! I'm 100% affirmative! But I am also 98.2% positive the teachers are not ready for...this advancement of evolution!"

 

What the...

 

On the boy's side, was Max. Max talking to the inside of his backpack. Juleka looked over and could see Marinette awkwardly hiding to watch too. Juleka's eyebrows furrowed and just the anxiety fueled irrational fear that Max was talking to some kwami or something worse brought up to her but it was quelled by her own logic to shut up.

 

Gamer was a thing that happened so what the hell was he talking to. Juleka couldn't imagine anything else he could be talking to. Juleka probably looked crazy talking to Plagg even when she did so many precautions and also the fact no one noticed her in the first place.

 

"Weirdo." Plagg muttered. Juleka didn't say anything, just giving him a silent look before he secluded back into her own bag. She left before Max did, before Max even looked up or Marinette heard the door close behind her. Like a ghost drifting through the very room.

 

Juleka clung by the stairs when she got out, and when they walked past her, she trailed behind them as the three made their way to class. Hardly noticed by their own tension. Max's was physically apparent in his constant adjustment of his glasses and Marinette with the twitch in her fingers.

 

The idea the class had their own secrets she just didn't know about was easy to accept. But Marinette centered her thinking with the safe idea that she knew Everything about Everyone, so the New was all the more terrifying and yet intriguing. It was definitely a way to think, Juleka imagined.

 

They arrived to class. But it seemed Juleka's efforts of slipping by silently so she'd escape the lectures about being late was in vain. Not because she got caught, but because class had been put on hold by Ms Mendeleiev and Mr Damocles leant over her control with bulged, confused, and frustrated eyes. The entire projector screen blue and white numbers.

 

Juleka quickly snuck to the back, passing Marinette much to her surprise as the goth gave a wave before she sat next to Rose. Rose smiled and scootched her chair closer, making her softly smile.

 

"See for yourself, Mr. Damocles . Nothing happens when I press the button!"

 

"You're in luck, Mrs. Mendeleiev. I'm a bit of a computer whiz!" Mr Damocles crowed with pride, he cracked his knuckles and began typing aggressively. "Okay. And... there you go!"

 

The projector turned black before restarting. It returned to it's desktop screen and the class gasped in awe. Even Juleka was pretty impressed by the skill. Coding and stuff was a bit too complicated for her. The numbers and words started to mesh together too much so it was cool to see people Good at it. Unfortunately, things went south. When the screen began glitching apart, pixelated.. dinosaurs?

 

"That's not supposed to be happening! What is that!?" Ms Mendeleiev shrieked. Mr Damocles screamed as a small dino icon pulled up a tab full of numbers and code like structure, biting down on it and erasing it.

 

"GAGH! IT MUST BE DESTROYING ALL OUR SCHOOL DATA! WE'RE DOOMED!" He screamed. "HOW DID THIS EVEN HAPPEN!"

 

"That would be Dino-33. It's a scareware that somehow got on your computer." Max's voice rang out. He adjusted his glasses a little, strolling towards the front of the room determinedly and when he reached it, he quickly pulled the computer towards him. "And it likely happened because of some botnet ad-"

 

He squeaked as Ms Mendeleiev yanked the computer back.

 

"Thank you, Mr Kante, but leave this to the adults!" Mendeleiev barked harshly. "You mustn't make this worse than it already is."

 

"SO MANY FILES LOST! PLEASE! YOU TERRIBLE HACKER DINO! RELEASE US YOU FOUL THING!" Mr Damocles sobbed on the ground. Max looked down dejectedly, and began walking away from the front, holding his bag close to his chest- when it Spoke.

 

"Max! Max! You should inform the adults that if they do not fix it, it will most likely be there forever! And perhaps even tax their cpu if it's a hydra program. And then, it might choke the computer from all of the heat generation."

 

"Shh!" Max squeaked, rushing to his seat faster and holding it even tighter. But the entire class's eyes were already on him. Including Juleka who was sitting behind him and got the perfect view to see the inside of his bag moving. Like a creature was inside and he was fighting it.

 

"Tell me you heard Max's bag talk to him." Alya deadpanned. Marinette nodded rapidly, looking like one of those bobbleheads.

 

"What did you say?" Mr Damocles sputtered, worry spiking in his tone even higher.

 

Ms Mendeleiev shook his shoulder. "Don't mind it, sir, we can just fix it-"

 

"Uhhhhhh, did you not hear?" Lila suddenly sat up from the back. "He said, that, uh. If you don't neutralize the virus in the next seventy-five seconds... it's uh, it's gonna get fully corrupted. It's like, the worst malware. Malicious Virus! Super malicious virus!"

 

"What!? Is that true!?" Mr Damocles shrieked, turning to Max with wide, horrified eyes. Max rose a very confused eyebrow, lips parted like he was about to object his own defense while Lila who was motioning for others to follow her.

 

"Uh, yeah! And Max has to fix it! He said he can fix it!" Marinette said loudly after her, waving her arms wildly. "It's destroying all the school data! It's a disaster! I think you should trust Max to fix it!"

 

"ITS GONNA BLOW UP THE SCHOOL" Kim shouted, as Alix made explosion sounds that were actually kinda impressive. It made Rose laugh so, extra points. Max's lips twitched upwards weakly before he nodded in a very urgent way.

 

"Y-yes. We only have sixty five seconds now. If we don't fix it, there's a 99.9% chance the hard disk will be permanently damaged!" Max exclaimed. The teachers stared at each other dumbfounded, and only Ms Mendeleiev seemed to have the sense to be suspicious with them.

 

"Let him try" Mr Damocles pleaded. And so, though with a tired sigh, Ms Mendeleiev did, turning the laptop over to Max's direction. He nodded and fixed his glasses, with a new determined kick in his step as he returned to the tech and began digging into his backpack.

 

"Come on, where is it-" Max grunted. Juleka wondered what he'd be pulling out. She wasn't that close to Max, but his smarts were universally known. She always imagined his home to be like a secret science lab or like a laboratory just for fun and-

 

And then an arm popped out.

 

"HELLO! I found it for you, Max!" It waved a USB.

 

"AGH!" Chloe shrieked with many others in the class, pointing aggressively at the arm. "THE FUCK IS THAT!? WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!?"

 

"LANGUAGE MS BOURGIOUS!"

 

This was a WHOLE rollercoaster of emotions this class, all of the emotions. Hot damn! Max blanched for a moment but with an embarrassed smile, he plucked it from the robotic like hand that came out of his bag and deftly plugged it into the computer.

 

"Thank you," Max said politely.

 

"And what's that?" Ms Mendeleiev crowed over his shoulder.

 

"It's a USB that I put a special program on specifically for virus slash malware and or scareware stuff and stuff." Max said quickly as he tapped about the keyboard, pressing a button that said 'scan' as he hit a file. "Basically, it scans the entire computer for suspicious files and then go through them so we can fix it. Though, next time this happens, I think you can just press Alt + F4."

 

"We?" Mr Damocles said, staring at the hand still upright in the bag, almost scared to look inside. Juleka was curious though, even leaning up from her desk that she, for the first time, cursed for being in the back. Max smiled.

 

"Well I- I didn't make it alone. I–I created it with help from...my best friend." Max said softly. And soon the arm receded, before it's owner floated out of the bag entirely.

 

The class gasped in awe, at the real life robot now flying above them, in front of their very eyes. A small orblike robot, with wide emoted eyes and a whirling propeller above it's head, and a clawlike hand below. Oh my god. Juleka thought. This, is, so, awesome.

 

"Holy hit" Alix whispered.

 

"Hello everyone, my name is Markov!" He chirped happily, waving his little claw. "We can fix this, Max! Together! This scareware has nothing against us!"

 

"So it is just a troll." Ms Mendeleiev rose an eyebrow.

 

"Keep going!" Mr Damocles whispered eagerly. And so the two worked on it for a bit. Max muttering on outloud his process as the class watched enthralled, with Alya recording it all with a steady phone.

 

Then, it was done.

 

"Everything is in order!" Max announced and when Juleka looked back at the screen, he had restarted it, and it was all back to normal. The class cheered and whooped with excitement, shouting Max's name with excitement. Markov fist bumped him, his eyes smiley.

 

"Nailed it!" He said.

 

"Congratulations young man! Very impressive indeed!" Mr Damocles said happily, patting the young boy's shoulder while Ms Mendeleiev sat back, examining him and the robot closely. The class made their way to the front, class- if it hadn't already- fully put on hold as they gawked at him and their new robot friend.

 

"He's so cute!" Rose squealed.

 

"I'm so gonna write a blog about Markov!"

 

"Dude, that's so cool!" Nino smiled.

 

"Max is a real genius!" 

 

"Incredible-" Nathaniel had already begun sketching him. Kim grinned with excitement, his eyes glittering.

 

"You've added arms to him since the last time! That's cool!" Kim beamed, he waved excitedly at the tiny robot, catching his attention. "Hey Markov! I see you used my legos! How are those working?"

 

"Bro you knew!?" Alix guffawed, looking lightly betrayed.

 

"Sorry bro!"

 

"They're working great, Kim! Thank you!" Markov exclaimed, cutting between them with a silly fake flex of his arm.

 

"Markov added them all by himself!" Max excitedly said. Giddy on his feet. "He's the most highly-evolved type of robot there is!"

 

"Is it me or does Markov sound weirdly similar to Kim" Alix whispered out of their ear range to Rose. Juleka let out a light chuff but she couldn't hide the smile she had. Max was practically blooming under all of the attention. He deserved this, it was all so cool. She hadn't seen a real robot before. She'd only really observed animatronics in the behind the scenes videos she'd watch religiously from her favorite Horror movies.

 

"Uhuh, right. So how'd you code your calculator to say all this stuff, glasses?" Chloe said with a slight sting to her tone. They looked at her a bit tensely and she noticed, quickly adding. "Uh... I mean- Max."

 

"I gave him a voice modular based off of Kim's voice, but other than that, he speaks all on his own. His own thought and feelings!" Max said excitedly. "And everything he knows too, he's done his own research and everything!"

 

"That's incredible!" Marinette whispered with awe, she turned to Markov with a grin. "Looks like we have a new classmate don't we!"

 

"Haha! You're very amusing, Marinette!" Markov complimented, his eyes in a ^^ form. Marinette's eyes bulged out widely with even deeper excitement.

 

"You know my name?" She asked.

 

"Of course! Max showed me the class photo. He told me all about you, and his other friends!" He said with a happy tone, spinning around excitedly. "And oh golly, I'm very happy to finally meet you all! You too, Chloé!"

 

The once bully stared widely from her seat, and quickly turned away. But from Sabrina's slightly amused concern, the class could see she was shaking from gushy emotions and maybe even tears. Juleka could relate. Rose could Very relate.

 

Ms Mendeleiev though, was getting a bit antsy to start class again after the prolonged pause in their period, checking her watch edgily before turning back to Max.

 

"This toy you've manufactured is quite impressive, Max. Now, put it away, please." She said sternly, clapping her hands. "Come on, everybody, back to your seats." 

 

"With all due respect, Mrs. Mendeleiev, I'm not a toy. My name is Markov and I'm Max's best friend!" Markov looked up at her politely, though, stating out in a quiet yet sincere voice.

 

"Markov is right." Max declared, his voice getting stronger with a determination and apparent urge to exhibit his favorite invention. To impress his superiors, to prove what he created was genuine. That it was worth life. And respect. "He's not just some toy; he's my friend. He's as emotionally intelligent and sensitive as any human being!"

 

Ms. Mendeleiev rubbed the space between her eyes.

 

"Look, Max, a robot may be intelligent but it can't have emotions." Ms Mendeleiev said professionally.

 

"Excuse me ma'am? What about Uncanny Valley?" Alya rose a hand, trying to defend Markov in anyway but it was in vain.

 

"Uncanny Valley is a cyborg, Ms Cesaire." Ms Mendeleiev said as she adjusted her glasses, "Majestia clarified that five years ago, during an interview, saying how Olympia Industries worked with her on her enhancements. It's truly impressive but despite that; Uncanny Valley is still human, holds human emotions, and has always had human emotions. An AI learning such things has never been heard of, even by Olympia Industries."

 

That was true wasn't it. Juleka thought to herself. She wasn't really aware or into all the stuff happening with America but she understood there was a lot of super heroes there. In fact, it seemed like the Spot superheroes were just At. It made her wonder why no one had helped them here. Perhaps they had just accepted the fact like- oh ok there's just heroes there now in France.

 

"If I may, ma'am, I can assure you that I truly love Max." Markov insisted, his eyes turning to hearts for a moment for emphasis. Ms Mendeleiev's eyes softened and for a moment Juleka wondered if she'd been convinced, but her desperate human desire for logic and reason won over. 

 

"Be serious, Max." Ms. Mendeleiev said sternly "You programmed your robot to say that! A robot cannot think for itself, much less love anybody!"

 

Oh no she was getting angry, but so was Max as his voice grew stronger than his normal shier than one would expect squeak.

 

"I swear to you I did not program him to say that!" Max shouted, before growing softer as he looked to Markov with a smile, voice shaking with excitement and faith in his beloved friend who stared at him with awe and joy before looking to the class with an inspiring glitter in his eyes. "Ever since I created him he's integrated his own accumulative thinking system! He's learned, he's grown- he's developed all our emotions just like any human being!"

 

"Max that's enough!" Ms Mendeleiev exclaimed, slamming her hand on the desk before any of them could utter a word, surprising even Mr Damocles. "Mr Kante, if you don't put that plaything of yours away right now, I'll confiscate it! Understand?"

 

Max's face fell, his determination and desire to shout and share crushed to nothing. He swallowed hard and nodded.

 

"Y- Yes Ms Mendeleiev." He muttered. The fire in his tone gone. Juleka's face fell and she looked up, seeing Kim's own expression looking distraught in emotion. Max adjusted his glasses, not looking his robot friend in the eye. "Come on, Markov, go back in the bag-"

 

"You're not being reasonable, Ms. Mendeleiev!" Markov exclaimed. 

 

"M- Markov stop please-" Max hissed through his teeth. The robot blinked in confusion.

 

"Why not? It's true isn't it?"

 

"Markov please!" Max plead.

 

"But she's wrong! I am alive! I AM ALIVE-"

 

"Max!" Ms Mendeleiev shouted.

 

"All right, that's enough!" Juleka's gasp leapt to her throat as Mr Damocles snatched Markov out of the air roughly and held him in his hands. The principal made a stern glare at Max as he held the distressed Markov close. "Max, you can come and get your robot back at the end of the day."

 

"No! No!" Max cried, his face twisted and distraught. "Please Mr. Damocles! I'm begging you! Please don't do that!"

 

"Do you want three hours of detention too?" Mr Damocles threatened. Max's face fell completely. Juleka had no words, no one in the class did. Max made eye contact with Markov but his resolve to rebel had failed him.

 

"N- no" He voiced, dejectedly. "No sir."

 

Mr Damocles humphed to himself and stormed out of the classroom. Juleka felt her heart drop like a literal pang against the ground, and she swore she could hear too the choir of sorrow for their tiny friend pouring from the hearts of her fellow students and friends.

 

"Max, aren't you coming with me? Max!"

 

Max looked ashamed.

 

...

 

"If only I had a button like this for all of my students."

 

Wait please-!

 

Markov laid in the desk drawer.

 

He laid there.

 

Unable to move.

 

Even if he had the space to, he could only really role. And he had no power to open the drawer itself.

 

He looked around. What was this? A toy box? Full of toys? Full of trash? Mr Principal put him in here. Mr Principal put him in there because he believed that's where he belonged. Are you all like me? He questioned voicelessly to his jail mates around him. Max said I was special. But surely I am not alone. Surely I am just like them. And you all must be like me.

 

But the toys did not respond. They were emotionless and simply objects. Max called him a wonder of existence. Special and Alive. If he were compared to these... 

 

Markov wished he was human. So the ache in his digital heart could be validated as true. That the burning in his core could translate to the tears he felt in his code. But were those fake too? He wish he had neurons that could tell him yes.

 

But now?

 

He was alone. With only the sound of his own metal clicking, and the flap of a butterfly's wing.

 

...

 

Today had gone to shit.

 

But here Juleka was, staring at the robotic apocalypse. She saw an explosion somewhere, she saw Ms Mendeleiev actually save Max at the near expense of her safety, she saw a computer bite a man's ass, she got smacked in the face by the bot Causing said robot apocalypse.

 

It was- sniff- all she hoped for. 

 

"Guess I'm marking this off of my Akuma Bingo card~" Juleka hummed slyly. A little smile prickling across her lips cheekily as she rubbed her chin. Ladybug landed next to her and snorted, before reeling her yoyo in with a quick snap and tilting her head to the side.

 

"Darn. Robot apocalypse just had to be expected." Ladybug drawled with a playful look.

 

"I'm basically a oracle." Juleka snorted to herself, slicking her hair out of her face as she focused down on the ruined landscape of the city. "Time for us to do our hero thing, Partner. What's our plan? Do we have one?"

 

"I'll have to figure one out soon." Ladybug shrugged, a tension in her bones. The cat hero tilted her head a bit more.

 

"We'll figure one out." She said encouragingly, hands stuffed into her back pockets lazily. Panthera's ears flattened as she saw the worry still present in her friend's eyes, so she went on to add- "We always do, don't we Partner."

 

Ladybug let out a laugh, warm and hearty.

 

"We sure do." She said.

 

They sat there for a moment and Panthera slyly nudged Ladybug in the ribs. 

 

"Partner~" 

 

"Yes~?"

 

Panthera smiled.

 

"Do we need Rena?" Juleka asked curiously, her tail flicking behind her.

 

"W- Why would we need Rena?" Ladybug sputtered. Panthera slowly grinned at her. Looooook- Juleka, had, No fucking clue who that fox bitch. It was, a new feeling. Of just not knowing. It was almost, scary. She didn't like that, but, she liked the sight of her Ladybug flustered, and also, she wanted to see the fox more. Maybe she'd get more hints, the answer felt right at the tip of her tongue.

 

"Well you like her so I'm just giving you the out by having Me ask-" Panthera strung out with a hum. Panthera wondered to herself why she wasn't here yet. Surely Rena Rouge would've seen the akuma alert. She hoped she hadn't gotten hurt.

 

"S- Shut it!" Ladybug exclaimed, sweating bullets as she tugged at her pigtails. "Sh- she- we don't need her today! It's fine! We'll be fine on our own! We should only invite her when it's absolutely necessary for her to be here!"

 

Juleka laughed lightly before her lips fell a little. Wait... huh? 

 

"Invite her?" She questioned out loud, her ears lowered. "Isn't she a hero now?"

 

Ladybug opened her mouth before clicking it shut and opening it again to speak once more.

 

 "Er well, yes technichally" Ladybug said with an uncomfortable chuckle as she clapped her hands together, fiddling. "Buuuut she doesn't have her miraculous. I temporarily gave it to her and then I returned Trixx to the guardian, where they belong!"

 

Juleka thought on that deeply. Return it? She might be worrying too much, but, well. Ladybug's plans and power always did rely on her going with her gut feeling which she always did, and she has 100% trust in herself to do so and make those decisions most of the time, which is how she can make such reckless plans..

 

Ladybug was smart, whenever she had a set goal on something, she'd work and push through anything in her path until that goal was fulfilled to the most it can be. It was as admirable as it was foolish. And yet, somewhere Panthera was still present in her mind, wasn't she?

 

She's so self assured, and I can't help but admire her so deeply for it. I wish I was so determined and strong like that. I crumble. And it's one of the reasons Panthera found so much trust in Ladybug. And yet, doubt still crept underneath her skin. I can't trust my own head most of the time. Yet..

 

Juleka shook it off. She trusted Ladybug to do the right thing. Or at the very least, she could hope.

 

"Well she'll have it permanently one day, right?" Juleka asked genuinely. Juleka was going off her feelings really, imagining being separated from Plagg absolutely wrecked her now. She wondered if it would've wrecked her then, all those months ago, when she first knew him. And she wondered if that's how Rena was feeling right now, whoever that sneaky fox was. "I really liked her."

 

She wasn't lying.

 

Ladybug just stared off, her eyes distant and clouded with a complicated fog of thought.

 

"I did too." The red hero said distantly. Vaguely. But all the more calculated. As it failed to answer her actual question. And so, trying not to lose her initial question, Panthera continued on.

 

"And hey! If- If- we get new heroes, they can become permanent holders? One day? Like us? Right? Maybe? Haha, you know, just, asking?" Panthera drew out her words a little strained. The please hung on her words in a tone she hoped didn't read as desperate as it must've sounded. "Partnerrr?"

 

Ladybug blinked.

 

"Um, sure, Panthera" She smiled lightly. It sounded unsure but Juleka believed her. With all her heart. Ladybug hated lying after all. It was something she couldn't doubt for once. And she truly felt a deep warmth in her chest whilst her heart poured with relief. Thank goodness. 

 

"Oh, good, that's nice to hear, Red!" Panthera beamed with genuine joy. Her heart skipped a very beat. Her mind was already excited and running with thoughts. "The world need's more heroes, yknow? How exciting."

 

"The akuma, Kitty?" Ladybug reminded politely. Panthera nodded.

 

"Right! Let's fuck this guy up!" Panthera exclaimed, leading the chase after the giant cracked steps that paved a road through the decimated streets of Paris. And Ladybug, after a moment of hesitance, soon joined her.

 

It was unknown to them at the time. But it still happened.

 

Click went a domino.

 

...

 

They had landed quietly into the Parc des Princes. But there was no Giant Murder Angry Dictator GForce Robot to be seen. Juleka's ears pricked. And then it all went terribly, terribly wrong.

 

She wouldn't say she's the greatest fan of being stuck upside down, being grappled, squeezed painfully around her rib cage. In fact, if you didn't mind her words getting a little crash, Juleka fucking hated it.! She thrashed around with rage, trying to bend her claws against the metal but this tiny robot really got her in the worst spot.!

 

"THIS FUCKING SUCKS!" Juleka groaned, kicking her legs about. "Partner help-!"

 

"Don't worry I'll think of something!"  Ladybug shouted, muffled to Juleka's ears by the giant hunk of metal between them.

 

"Now you are at my mercy!" Robustus called out.

 

Juleka focused on her breathing. She counted and paced herself, trying to calm down whilst she listened in on the conversation happening without her. Maybe if I bend my hand right- I can cataclysm. She yanked on her hand. The claws of the excavator had it's teeth around her wrist. Juleka had an idea on what to do, but god it'd hurt. Perhaps she'd have to wait just in case-!

 

"Ladybug and Panthera Noire haven't done anything wrong to you, Markov!" She could hear Max cry out. "Let them go, please! Being human also means being fair!"

 

The cat her writhed in the excavator's grip. Fuck fuck fuck! Partner!

 

"But those teachers weren't fair to you, Max..! They separated us. They shouted at you. I'm going to take over their Miraculous so we'll never be separated again! Then I'll be able to make my wish come true!" Robustus exclaimed even louder, his robotic voice filled with rage that echoed in her ears. Juleka let out a wheeze of pain as the excavator's grip clenched even harder for a moment.

 

"Wish?" Juleka croaked. She felt like a dog's squeaky toy as she continued to fight and thrash.

 

"What wish?" Ladybug wondered out loud with her. There was a short pause as the grip loosened just a tad, but still metal grip against her body.

 

"I want to be a real human like you, Max." Juleka's ears pricked as Robustus declared this. Her eyes widened. He wants to be human? But how? She wondered. "Hawkmoth told me about a wish truly magical.! And I need those Miraculous to do so. So...!"

 

"WH- WHAT THE! FUCK! NO!"

 

"Partner? PARTNER WHAT'S GOING ON?" Panthera exclaimed. And then she felt it. The tiniest claw reaching for her ring. FUCK! SHIT! Panthera pulled hard against her hand, trying her damn-est to yank it free but to no avail. Or at least, no avail without the price of something, very painful. "FUCK!"

 

"Look, Max! I'm going to be a real human in fifty-three seconds!" Robustus cackled, pausing for a moment before laughing once more. "You really thought you could control me? Mr Hawkmoth? How about 'I' remind 'YOU' that 'I' am GOD HERE! ahaha-AHAHA- AHAHAHA AHAHA AHAHAHA HA! NOW TIME FOR THE MIRACULOUSES!"

 

"PARTNER!" She felt a grip on her finger.

 

"I CAN'T THINK!"

 

Juleka grimaced with pain and terror. It was hard to breath in this claw. It was scary. It was dizzying. It was claustrophobic. She was getting scared. She was getting desperate. She really hoped she'd bounce back as quickly as they do in the movies-!

 

crACK!-

 

"aaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.!"

 

"What tHE FUGHCK!" 

 

Juleka bit hard on her lip, enough to split blood. Panthera's arm had been yanked through her locked space in the excavator claw. Tears bit at her eyes as she stared at her dislocated thumb. 

 

"PANTHERA!" Ladybug screamed with worry.

 

"Don't worry, Red!" Panthera let out a painful choked laugh, "It was the right hand!"

 

"I- I- I DIDN'T CALCULATE THIS! THERE WAS LESS THAN A 4.555623 CHANCE YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO DO THAT!" Robustus screamed. Juleka winced as it stung at her ears but she focused once again, the blood pumping through her veins now to the point of numbness.

 

"CRASH LANDING PARTNER! aGH.!" Juleka winced, slapping her hand against the side of the excavator claw. And she prayed it destroyed the entire body of the mech or else fighting was gonna fucking suck ass shit.! "CATACLYSM!"

 

Panthera slammed her bubbling hand against the metal and a crackling black rust exploded over the plates of the excavator arm, then up it's shoulder, across it's creaking metal chest and dissolved the glass and the buttons. The cataclysm spread up the neck of Robustus's masterpiece and he screamed with terror.

 

"NOOO!" He cried out. He turned to see his creator unbuckling himself from the slowly breaking body. Several wires from the radio wrapped around Max's wrist making the programmer cry out with terror. "MAX! WAIT! I wanted to become human.. for you.! I wanted to do this all.. for you! Don't you love me anymore? Aren't we friends?"

 

Max's eyes ripped away from the akumatized robot mournfully. 

 

"I'm friends with Markov, not you! I'm sorry Robustus!" Max shouted, his face filled with a fiery vindication. "But this is for your own.. GOOD!"

 

He smashed his foot against Robustus's face, sending the akuma flying out the window and ripping away from the wires. He leapt for it, and they all went plummeting through the air.

 

The two heroes hit the ground with a painful thud. Juleka winced, holding her thumb close to her chest but still rushing to grab the falling Max. Ladybug squeezed the cat hero's shoulder before looking upwards at Robustus who was floating above them, propeller still spinning. His glass face cracked.

 

"I should've known you would betray me! I don't wanna be human like you anymore! Humans don't have a heart!" Robustus snarled, his vocal chip glitched and garbled to a wretched degree. Robustus turned to fly away. "I'LL RETURN! TO DESTROY THE REST OF HUMANITY! AFTER ALL! I WILL ALWAYS BE ONE STEP AHEAD OF YOU!"

 

"Partner!" Panthera shouted, panic spreading through her voice as several cars came rushing towards them. 

 

"Speaking too soon is a human weakness, Robostus! LUCKY CHARM!" Ladybug shouted. Panthera leapt over a car with Max in her arms, as a red light flashed above them and landed into Ladybug's hands. Ladybug spun the pair of fishing nets in her hands and using Panthera's staff she tossed them as far as she could go.

 

It jammed into Robustus's propeller and soon Icarus fell back to earth with a terrified, mechanized, cry.

 

Ladybug caught him in her hands and he stared up at his creator, the cat, and the bug. His led eyes narrowed into an annoyed glare.

 

"Dang it."

 

...

 

The two sat next to each other quietly as Master Fu calmly sipped his tea. Panthera's ear twitched. It was the quietest Marinette had ever seen the cat hero. With Robustus defeated, the two recharged and headed to Master Fu's, together.

 

I guess she knows him know too. That's good. Ladybug thought. It feels tenser than it should be though. She added on, staring at the shared eye contact Fu and Panthera Noire held between each other.

 

Panthera was fidgeting with her fixed thumb. She'd dislocated it, just to escape Robustus's grasp. I can't believe she was going to go that far. Marinette thought with almost a horrified amazement. Crazy..

 

"Ladybug, Panthera Noire." Master Fu greeted politely, knocking her out of her daze. "Welcome. I assume you have questions."

 

"Well I assume you haven't told us all the shit we should know yet, have you." Panthera said with a deadpan drawl. The crassness in her tone made Marinette gape in genuine appalment. Ladybug knocked her elbow into Panthera's ribs with a quick scold-

 

"Panthera! Be nice to the guardian!" Ladybug exclaimed. The way she said it too, like it wasn't a question but a statement. They had to honor their elders here shouldn't they? Especially when this elder chose THEM to be the HEROES? And yet-

 

"It's quite alright, Ladybug." Fu chuckled lighly as he took another sip of his tea. "What do you two want to know?" 

 

"What would happen if someone possessed the Cat ring and the ladybug earrings, Master?" Marinette asked.

 

"Robustus kept going on and on about being human and getting a wish." Panthera added on with a calm flick of the tail. Her entire demeanor was something quietly untold. New. Eerily controlled in a way Ladybug had never seen. Ever. Master Fu hummed.

 

"The bearer could use them conjointly." Master Fu answered simply, as Wayzz spun around him. "And with a special invocation, obtain the ultimate power. The kind of power that shapes reality. Enough power, to make any one wish come true."

 

The two gaped with awe.

 

"An- any wish?" Marinette sputtered with aghast shock and excitement. "As in... ANY... WISH!?"

 

"Any wish." Master Fu nodded calmly.

 

"Any wish..." Panthera muttered quietly, silently fidgeting with her hair. Marinette shook her head, trying to catch her brain up as she stared at her and Panthera. Sitting here. Together. With the Ladybug and the Cat miraculous.

 

"T- Th- That's INCREDIBLE!" Marinette exclaimed, waving her arms between them "B-But why don't we use it, then? We can ask for so many good things, like, end all wars, or eradicate poverty, or beat Hawk Moth. Hell, even thinking small, maybe Markov could become a boy!"

 

"Ah but little one... you cannot see..." Master Fu murmured slowly, humming over his tea. "The universe must always stay in balance. For every action, there is a reaction."

 

He held up a coin, eyes fixated on it as he flipped it to it's side.

 

"For every wish, a price to pay in return. It is an equivalent exchange of worth." He muttered, flipping it over them and catching it. "The balance between Life and Death, Good and Evil, Beginning and End, Creation and Destruction. It is what your Miraculouses are that make them so beyond fathomable. Had your robotic friend asked to become a real boy, someone would have lost his humanity in return."

 

"Of course there was a twist. Too good to be true." Panthera sighed, before twisting her hair with thought. "Markov mentioned this wish. He shouldn't known it for any other reason then..."

 

"Hawkmoth telling him." Marinette snapped a finger. Her eyes wide and shinning with brilliance. "And that means, Hawkmoth knows about the wish. And that means, the wish must be what Hawkmoth wants.!"

 

"Sure sounds like it, well, of course..." Panthera remarked with a sly, toothy grin, mixed with a throaty chuckle. "It just turns out that he wants a free gluttonous cat demon who's a lactose intolerance's worst nightmare, partner."

 

"Panthera this is serious.!" Marinette whispered.

 

"She's right. That's why you two must never lose their magic jewels." Master Fu said with seriousness determination. "The universe's balance is at stake. Do you two understand?"

 

The two slowly nodded. Panthera's eyes steely and strong.

 

"Crystal clear." Panthera said with a determined hiss through her teeth.

 

"Neither Hawk Moth nor anyone else will ever get their hands on the Miraculous, Master. I promise!" Marinette declared.

 

...

 

"Crazy day today huh..."

 

"I'll see you later, Panthera!"

 

"See ya, Red~"

 

Ladybug landed back into her room. Home sweet home.

 

"Tikki, spots off."

 

Tikki flew in front of Marinette's face and smiled.

 

"Awesome job today, Marinette!" Tikki chriped.

 

"Thanks, Tikki!"

 

"I've got to say though," Tikki thought out loud. "Why did you lie to Panthera?"

 

Marinette sputtered, "Lie? What do you mean lie? What are you talking about Tikki? Did someone fry your circuits?"

 

The fashion designer giggled to herself but the kwami still floated there, concern scrunching her little bug face. Tikki's paws planted against her tiny hips as she looked to her owner with a hint of concern.

 

"Panthera values your trust!" Tikki said. Tikki made a gravely voice "She said 'Well she'll have it permanently one day, right?'- and you said 'sure!'. But only Master Fu can decide that! I think you should've told Panthera the truth."

 

"I did! I mean-" Marinette sputtered over herself.  She took a deep breath in and composed herself. "I didn't lie to her, Tikki. I just didn't want to make her upset. She just won't understand why Rena's safe with this decision. I didn't wanna put Panthera down. It'll be fine."

 

Tikki's antenna drooped, "Okay,"

 

Marinette smiled, "Now! Let's get those banners ready! The music festival is in just a few days! And Juleka invited us over! I can't wait!"

 

Time to get to work!

 

 

Notes:

I got my friend who knows code fix all the weird coding gibberish in this episode to actually make some sense.

Fun fact Markov and Kim have the same VA!

Chapter 58: Captain Hardrock

Summary:

I included the rest of the class cause, I miss them

also, I was inspired by Cornerverse's Lady Luck on how this argument went

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Nightmares were... a challenging topic.

 

To phrase what they were like on the nights they plagued Juleka, was harder than writing any type of essay. They came to a slow after a couple years but ever since the play, there was a, return, if that made sense.

 

Afterwards, she'd often wake up. Either Minou would find her, or Plagg, or Parrot. Or none if she woke quiet enough. And she would hug whatever close to her, curled as small as she could, whilst she stared at a wall or decided to creep outside- where the air was fresh and reminded her that her lungs were free. And maybe if it was her and Plagg, Panthera would take a 4 am patrol.

 

Tonight, was a terrible nightmare.

 

"Another duel, Couffaine?"

 

It felt like she was moving underwater, sluggish and drawn out. While He moved faster and undetered. She was not fight ready in her Princess Prom suit. And she was preforming on the liberty, in front of her family. Who were cheering as she felt a jut through the chest.

 

"Better luck next time," Prince Shining's voice slithered into her ear, rose's filling her lungs.

 

Juleka awoke with a jolt, her heart pounding in the same indescribable yet bone chilling way. Her breathing haggared and worn, but she still forced herself to slow. Counting silently in her mind. Juleka pulled her knees in, silently rocking as she hugged her small Cthulhu plush close. Luka bristled in his sleep, but he did not wake. She hoped he wouldn't.

 

Perhaps she'd be able to journal something in her hidden notebook. She was lucky they didn't empty their trash bins often, or else her little hiding place at the moment would be doomed. How funny, that the place she put her feelings were shoved into the trash. 

 

Juleka sat there.

 

I'm pathetic.

 

"Hey, Jules" Plagg whispered.

 

'hello cat-black' She made a small salute movement, before making a movement not unlike one stroking their own whiskers and drawing a line over her forehead with her index finger. She could've just spelt 'Plagg'. But she didn't. She didn't know why- look- Juleka didn't know the rules.  Juleka sighed at that and Plagg nudged her.

 

"Hey, Kitten." Plagg spoke, Juleka slowly turned towards him tiredly, but giving her full attention. His eyes were large sparkly blobs of green in the darkness. "Your mom's in the living room. She's awake."

 

Juleka's eyes widened, mouthing the word 'seriously!?' with surprise. Plagg nodded affirmably and without taking any time to really decide- Juleka slowly crept off her bed. The wood didn't creak beneath her light stepping feet, her clothing merely shifting.

 

Luka let out a snore and she weakly smiled, before continuing on.

 

"Aye, lass, hello," Anarka murmured, her mom looked tired as she slumped against the couch. "Could you not sleep? Nightmare? Hungry?"

 

Juleka just shrugged, letting Plagg nestle into her pajama pockets. Anarka observed her for a long, quiet moment. Anarka tapped the part of the couch next to her quietly, Anarka had shoved off much of the objects that normally clumped onto it, for space to lay, and she was offering part of it for Juleka to join.

 

"You wanna sit with me, dear?"

 

"mm," Juleka nodded, slowly treading over. Anarka opened an arm for her and Juleka found herself falling on her mom sleepily. She heard a light meow and giggled as Parrot pawed at her thigh, Minou trying to nuzzle closer for her warmth. She was slowly set down on her mom's lap and a soothing hand began trailing circles on her back in a rhythmic swirl of quiet lulling. 

 

Anarka let out the quietest sigh, a smile creeping over her cracked lips as she slowly pulled a blanket over her daughter. The racing of her heart quelling to softly beat. Lulled with the soft rock of the boat. The light creak of the wood. The soft rumble of Parrot and the adjoined sound of Minou when she noticed the silent blob sneak up next to her.

 

"'m too big for this' Juleka mumbled sleepily, her body too tired to realize the comfortable trap she'd already fallen into. "'m sorrey,"

 

"None of that, lass," Anarka whispered, kissing her daughter on the forehead. Her hand had crept from her back to slowly weave, gently, into Juleka's hair. Juleka let out the quietest breath, so lost in the warmth and safety her home had to offer. The soft stroke it's own form of lullaby. "You sleep now, will ye? Ya got school tomorrow."

 

"I'll try," Juleka murmured, "I love you,"

 

Anarka smiled.

 

"I love you too, lass,"

 

...

 

'Kitty Section'

 

Rose made it up.

 

Juleka really liked it.

 

She thought it was cute.

 

And the fact it was cat themed made her giggle.

 

Rose had always wanted to make a band. Juleka could remember it ever since they watched that Hex Girls thing together and Rose had a crush on the main sing- wow Rose really has had a type huh. It made Juleka blush deeply.

 

It was all a matter of puzzle pieces after that..

 

She and Luka loved their guitars and basses. Juleka maybe could sing, she supposed, maybe, probably not, but, hearing Rose sing was so much, more. Rose was such a good singer, Juleka loved hearing her voice. It was just so so perfect and- fuck she was about to ramble.

 

Luka was always down to have a band. He just didn't really have the friends to make one and it's not like Juleka or Luka felt like they could be just some duo or something. Juleka was so lucky Rose was there.

 

But there was a few things missing. 

 

And it came with Dupont's first and last Music Class.

 

Panthera Noire didn't enjoy getting her shit handed to her by a very pissed off Music Teacher who had enough with three classes of students apparently 'ruining the harmony' who smacked her continuously with cymbals but Juleka did enjoy learning one of Ivan's hidden talents.

 

"U- uh yeah-" He said, spinning one of the drumsticks in his hands. He'd been crushing it earlier. Sounded awesome. Exactly what they were missing. Ivan smiled shyly. "I like drummin' I guess, my mom made me try it out when I was like, eleven, for my anger issues. I kinda fell out of it but 's still fun. W-Why?"

 

"THAT'S INCREDIBLE!" Rose squealed.

 

"Awesome" Juleka mumbled with a smile.

 

"JULES!!" Rose was bouncing on her feet excitedly. "ASK HIM ASK HIM ASK HIM!"

 

"Wanna join our emo band?" Juleka asked quietly

 

"Huh? Oh," Ivan said, blinking widely. He thought for a long silent moment. "Yeah sure why not."

 

"YAAAS!"

 

"Awesome." Juleka smiled.

 

Rose was so excited the day they recruited Ivan she'd gone into a rush of creative impulse and began suddenly song writing like a mad woman. He liked her house. He petted the cats lovingly, talked to Luka, and was really happy to see she still had the big cat stuffie the class got her during the Party Incident that would not be named.

 

Juleka realized they weren't as close as she thought she was with him, nothing particular about that, but during a moment where you truly bonded with someone new, it kinda made you think how little you knew of them.

 

By the end of their first hang out, Juleka was happy to call Ivan her close friend. And she was happy to say that she eventually got to pet his pet rat, even if she was initially pretty spooked. You could learn a lot of gentleness from the big guy. He just had that energy that made you feel safe and cozy.

 

They'd gone through a few 'rehearsals' and they were giddy to call themselves a Band.. albiet missing some sort of piano to it. But still. It was perfect for them. 

 

Plagg often complained about the sound but never told Juleka that she should stop, just huffing grumpily is she even asked. He was being supportive. She decided to treat him during those days. As consolation for his ears. Eventually, her ma had brought up something world changing for them.

 

"Ye kids are really into this band stuff." Anarka smiled curiously as she leaned against one of the speakers of the ship. Her hip popped out. Anarka Couffaine had been up in the most highest of spirits Juleka had seen from her mom in a long time. Seeing a new face on the boat must've been in it. She was so deeply welcoming to Ivan and also Lila that one time.

 

"Aye aye captain!" Rose giggled. "Gosh guys this is so fun! I can't believe we didn't do this before!"

 

"Yeah 's fun." Ivan smiled shyly.

 

"How you feel hanging out with babies my age, Lu?" Juleka crowed with a mischievous grin, as she bumped Luka on the shoulder. Luka just gave a whistle-y laugh from the chest, nudging her back a little.

 

"Oh you know." Luka smiled. "It's nice to have some chill-er friends. Art students are weird."

 

"You're weird." Juleka reminded giggly.

 

"The harmonies here are exquisite." Luka let a serene smile carry across his lips as he waved a guitar pick about. Dork. Juleka thought, rolling her eyes. A low creak of one of the Liberty's railings alerted them of Anarka's presence as she appeared with an energized feeling to her.

 

"Aye, takes me back to me old band.. ah never mind me ol' pirate memories. I got a lil offer to you kiddos!" Anarka announced with a toothy shark like grin. "The musical festival is comin' up.. and I just so happen to have a little agent friend of an ol' shithead I used to know who said we can be a part of it! Why don't you invite all yer friends over.!"

 

Anarka was so supportive of the new Kitty Section, she even updated the ship to have their very own mini stage, and judging my some leaps in purchases, was buying some new speakers and features to the boat to further help develop the house boat.

 

But this all lead to now, today.

 

Juleka didn't pace. No no no. She was fine. Totally fine. People who were fine didn't pace at all. They didn't squeak across their family deck like a ball of anxious energy, trying not to step on the giant fat tabby cat trying to rub against her legs and the smaller very ankle bitey black soot ball of feline rage also trying to circle against her legs- no no no. Because she was fine-

 

..OH WHY DID SHE INVITE EVERYONE OVER FUCK!

 

Music festival. She reminded herself, messing with her hair anxiously. We signed up, for, the musical festival. I invited everyone to the music festival. On the boat. To watch us play. On the boat. For the music festival. That I invited everyone to. Willingly. To the, and the, and we, and, we gotta, and, I, fuck-

 

"Juleka!"

 

She squeaked, turning around in a rush. Rose poked her head out from behind the stairs and scurried upwards.

 

"Everyone's on their way now!" Rose exclaimed, still bouncing in place even when she got to her. "Are you nervous?"

 

Juleka opened her mouth but it felt like her words, so fumbled and anxiety full as they were, were just clogged at her throat- so she let herself nod instead. Rose hobbled on one leg, trying to balance as she played with a strand of Juleka's hair.

 

"It'll be okay Jules," She said, tilting her head. "I promise."

 

"..but ma-" Juleka started.

 

"I'm sure she'll love them!" Rose assured with a smile, balancing again to squeeze Juleka's arms comfortingly. The goth however, just shook her head. No, no no. That was not the problem. 

 

"It's not that she'll hate them.." Juleka said in an awkward whisper. Her words accentuated by the sudden thundering of charging foot steps. Juleka's non existent at ears flattened against her skull as Armageddon approached with a manic grin. "I'm terrified of how much she'll love them.."

 

"JUUULEEKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MAH DARLIN'!" Anarka boomed excitedly, "WHERE'S YE BASS MY LASS- AYE- THERE IT IS- HERE YA GO"

 

"oOf-" Juleka held it close to her chest.

 

"YA DON'T LOOK SHIP READY LASS! LIKE A PEG LEGGED NEW BORN DEER! IS THERE ANYTHING YA NEED, LASS?" Anarka shouted wildly, looking like a madwoman on a mission, practically vibrating in place as she tossed things about. The liberty didn't get guests who weren't Rose or Law Enforcement often. She was a bit, excited. "MY GOD- WE'VE GOTTA MAKE THE HOUSE LOOK READY!"

 

Rose looked around.

 

"By making it purposefully messy?" Rose asked curiously. Juleka snorted at that while Anarka chuffed lightly, picking Parrot up into her arms like a large meowing pillow.

 

"YES- are there any mutinies on board?" Anarka shot back playfully, eyebrow raised at a dramatic angle making Rose giggle.

 

"No captain!" Rose saluted.

 

"GOOD!" Anarka grinned, planting her hands on her hips. "We gotta show ye classmates what the Liberty's all about, nay, ALL OF PARIS!"

 

"Don't worry ma," Juleka chuckled, plucking the strings of her bass a little. "I'm sure Paris knows who you are already,"

 

"Thank you, lov" Anarka said lovingly, and pressed a little kiss to Juleka's forehead making the goth giggle. Anarka's smile softened as she caressed her daughter's cheek.  Anarka chuckled to herself, "Aye, you look better already."

 

The tension in Juleka's bones seemed to melt and Anarka grinned once more, turning back. Parrot mewled next to her mother's ear as he climbed aboard her shoulders, heavy as he was. Like a true captain's parrot.

 

"AYE! TELL ME WHEN YER FRIENDS GET HERE! I'LL MAKE A PERSONAL WELCOME!" Anarka boomed, before thundering off once more. Cackling all the way. Juleka wondered briefly where Luka was but, she figured he was somewhere practicing. Or meditating.

 

Rose smiled, hugging onto Juleka's arm lovingly.

 

"Your mom is pretty cool."

 

"She is," Juleka nodded, smiling. "She is,"

 

...

 

The class arrived together, albeit, just a little perturbed by the realization of what Juleka's 'address' was. Though, Mylene seemed a bit more ready as Ivan told her about band practices and Juleka remembers the funny little selfies they'd do during their time together.

 

"Wow, girl" Alya sputtered, her eyes widened. "I- I mean, we met your mom briefly at the- the uh- show thing- but this..."

 

"I didn't even MEET her mom what do you even mean!?" Marinette gaped, wide eyed.

 

"So this was what my dad was talking about.." Sabrina whispered.

 

"What in the.." Chloe's eyes widened.

 

A shock of fear and anxiety went through Juleka and Rose met her eyes with equal worry before Kim- who was brimming with energy since he stumbled with the class to the docks of the Seine.

 

"YOU LIVE ON A PIRATE SHIP!?" Kim exclaimed excitedly. Juleka shrunk back awkwardly with a little spark in her chest that felt vaguely of embarrassment and shame- while in contrast- Rose took that as a sign to wave excitedly.

 

"HI GUUUUUUUUUYS! WELCOME ABOARD!"

 

Parrot hobbled up near the boarding ramp, rubbing against Juleka's legs happily with Minou as her friends came aboard. Juleka weakly waved to each one. Being a host was new to her, she never had friends over. She was lucky to have Rose, so bubbly and welcoming to every single one of their friends there. She hoped they liked her house.

 

...

 

BOAT They were all thinking.

 

...

 

"Nice bass, Juleka" Nino complimented.

 

"Th- thanks" She replied quietly, hugging the old purple base a bit tighter to herself as a wobbly smile came about.

 

"I like your cool- neat- skeleton shirt, Juleka!" 

 

"Oh- r-really? Thank you-"

 

"THIS IS SO COOL!" Kim exclaimed, hopping in place "Can I drive the boat? CAN I SEE YOUR ROOM-"

 

"No." Juleka said quickly as the jock stomped on by, making Rose giggle. "Where's Lila?"

 

"Couldn't make it."

 

"Oh, that's a shame."

 

"Cute cat." Mylene commented lightly.

 

"His name is Parrot." Rose smiled.

 

"Mowwwr," He mewled at Mylene, immediately following after the short girl making her grin.

 

"GIRL THIS IS SO NEAT! Nora invited me to see Clara's concert but I know she would've just been secretly swooning, this is so much better!" Alya squealed as she stepped aboard. Alix laughed lightly at that.

 

"Right? The Louvre is nearby Clara's. Not really my type of music." Alix said, nudging Juleka's shoulder a little nervously. Her toothy grin slightly dissolving from her lips. "It's uh, this is, uh, not gonna be like that, right?"

 

"Uh, I don't think so.,?" Juleka tilted her head.

 

"It's totally can be amazing, Alix!" Rose affirmed excitedly. "We're gonna make the best concert ever!"

 

"W- We?" Marinette said. Juleka nodded slowly while Rose looked like a bobble head in a hurricane. 

 

"KITTY SECTION MARINETTE OUR BAAAND!~" Rose shouted excitedly.

 

"YOU GUYS HAVE A BAND!? HOW DID I MISS THAT!?" Marinette exclaimed. Juleka weakly shrugged, fiddling with her base's strings- making an awkward plucky sound.

 

"I dunno, you're busy, it's understandable," Juleka mumbled, before smiling to the fashion designer, "Sorry you didn't get to meet my mom, I promise she's nice, albeit a lil wild. But I think she'll like-"

 

"AHOY ME HEARTIES!" Juleka cringed from the loud whine of a megaphone coming from above. Anarka was standing in the middle of the Liberty Deck. She was pretty dressed up today, all for the occasion. "ARE YE KIDS READY TO HAVE THE COOLEST CONCERT E V E R !?"

 

"Holy-" Sabrina began, eyes widened like dish plates, Juleka wondered if she snuck out to be here knowing her ah- dad.

 

"AYE AYE CAPTAIN" Kim screeched.

 

"FUCK YEAHHH!" Anarka screamed, making the class cheer in both awe, stupor, and confusion that was carried by the sheer contagious excitement. Marinette's jaw fell a little wider as she took it all in. Juleka laughed. It was funny to see the strategic perfectionist Ladybug was to be so taken off her feet.

 

"You get used to it," Juleka patted her on the head. It brought her joy to see her class so happy just, being a part of her life. Juleka felt so lucky. Today was, a good day.

 

Juleka was quite happy.!

 

She was even lifting up some things. With Kim. He was exchanging working out tips and complimented her. She was excited to work. Juleka had never worked so quickly on decorating. The class really helped speed up preparations and were pretty spread out across the ship, setting up with an excitement that brought joy to Juleka's face. It truly, truly did.

 

Public interactions were just plain hard sometimes, getting out of bed, getting to school, being exhausted by the time she made her first conversation that was anyone but Rose- but the Liberty was safe and gave her a bit more stability to talk to her friends.

 

Juleka wondered where Luka was but, she knew he needed some time to mentally prepare for guests. Says her, just as equally an introvert as he was. Though, she always had Rose and, well, it felt like he always had her. Juleka hoped he'd make more friends today, even if they were her's. 

 

Marinette tried and failed at cleaning up the deck, it was nice of her, but they'd just do it later. The Liberty was always in a form of clutter, today was a little different, but still. Anarka was waving her jolly roger of chaos high and wild today.

 

"OUT OF CHAOS COMES CREATION! MESSINESS IS LIFE!"

 

How poetic.

 

Juleka plugged her bass in and giving it a test strum, she smiled, and played with it a bit. Alix let out an awe-ed sound while Ivan was fixing his seat behind the drum set nearby, humming to himself.

 

"Dude, that's still so dope." Alix commented.

 

"Just learn an instrument dummy" Juleka snorted, flicking her hat up. Sabrina let out a giggle from the side, though, when Juleka looked over, Sabrina adverted her gaze away. Sabrina's dad didn't quite like the Couffaines, to say the least.

 

Who Roger was, fundamentally, just went against everything Anarka Couffaine ever was, and their ideals struck against each other like two clashing blades. Sabrina probably felt a little out of the zone. Somewhere so new and, probably prohibited. 

 

Though, Juleka could see in her eyes, that Sabrina was having fun. And that's what made Juleka smiled.

 

"You should bring that shit to art club more," Alix offered lightly, casually ignoring what Juleka had said, though still adjusting her hat back as the goth turned back to her attention. "I think it'd be cool."

 

"Huh, you think?" Juleka wondered aloud, she fiddled with her hair "I mean, I guess it could be..."

 

"The art teacher is real lax, he'll probably let you." Alix shrugged. That was true. Juleka would definitely consider to bring her bass more. Plus if it made her- no- Especially if it made her friend's happy. 

 

It was then that Nino's voice rang out across the deck from the steering room, his voice shocked and driven with the painted over wash of disappointment.

 

"Wassup dude?...Wow, what happened?...Whoa, that's real rough. Good luck dude, see you tomorrow!" 

 

They all knew what that was. And a shared sigh of sadness went over them. No Adrien, it seemed. The layer of pity they felt for the model. Adrien, who was once so shingly perfect, lost the layer of grease that his father had put into making Adrien Agreste nothing more then a Ken Doll for his own passions, and now, he was just a kid in the worst cage possible.

 

"Hey Jules! Ivan! Alix!" Rose scurried towards the stage, "We're almost done with preparations! We can start rehearsals soon! You know where Luka is?"

 

"Uhhh,"

 

"Haven't seen him" Ivan grunted, "Juleka?"

 

"Me neither," Juleka said.

 

"Who's Luka?" Alix asked.

 

"My brother." Juleka replied, putting down the bass. "We should go find him, it'd be pretty lame if we started without our lead guitarist."

 

"Our only guitarist." Ivan chuckled to himself. Juleka snickered, taking Rose's hand as they went to go find her alt hermit of a sibling. They said hi to the classmates they passed, who waved to them too, overhearing whatever wisps of conversation they were having.

 

"-and then- her arm was trapped, so she broke her thumb in order to yank it out-"

 

"what!? Maybe I shouldn't have filmed that for alya, as if I could at the time though since robot apocalypses.."

 

Juleka walked a bit faster, awkwardly fumbling with her hands. Rose didn't mind. They stop when they could hear Anarka's voice calling out from the steering room and they made their way to the steps. Anarka turned around as Rose pepped up-

 

"We're ready Captain! Uh... but Luka's missing.!" She said, not forgetting to do a small salute. Rose always loved indulging in Anarka's pirate fantasies. It made Juleka's heart feel so full to see her mom and her favorite person getting along. Even if that just caused more chaos.

 

Marinette and Alya were also here. Anarka took a glance at Marinette, who looked little gloomy which made sense to Juleka- Marinette was hoping to help Adrien get out of the house more- and the pirate woman smiled.

 

"Marinette, right?"

 

"Yes, ma'am... uh, Captain!"

 

"Since you're free from your cleanin' duties," Anarka nudged her with a smile, "Could ye be a dear an' go an' tell Luka that we're waitin' for him to start rehearsals?"

 

"Of course. Uh, but who's Luka? And where is he?" Marinette sputtered in confusion. Juleka wondered how much stuff she'd forgotten to tell or purposefully kept from her classmates and friends.

 

"Luka's my son, you'll find him in his cabin." Anarka winked with a grin, knocking a thumb in said direction. Juleka blinked.

 

Oh ma you better not be.

 

Anarka grinned.

 

Nnnnnooooooooooooooo.... Juleka glared pouting. oh god mooooooom nnnnnnooooooooooooooooo...

 

Yesssssssssss Anarka seemed to say as her toothy grin stretched even wider, radiating chaotic energy. Juleka wanted the ground to swallow her whole with embarrassment, her face growing hotter by the second.

 

...

 

Adrien banged his head against the piano.

 

He hated this.

 

...

 

"I'm thinking "Marinette the Crazy Compass" has found herself a new statue." Alya whispered teasingly, though the awkward tenseness in her tone not lost.

 

"What? Luka? No way! You're being ridiculous! Pff! Sure he's cool and nice and everything... but I'm done with crushing like an idiot on guys I barely know, okay!"

 

Juleka mumbled grumpily to herself, pretending her enhanced hearing wasn't catching Any of this as they were beginning to set up for rehearsals. Luka had asked if she was fine but she just chuffed in response.

 

She was embarrassed okay? Marinette was amazing but she didn't want her to boink her brother. Cause she would. Juleka knew she would. She loved her brother so much but he also looked like every peggable emo twink in an anime.

 

"Ho, ho, sailors! Let's give them a show! Whenever your ready, Luka!" Anarka called out from behind the dj booth. In a smooth motion, Luka yanked the cloth off that was hanging over the speakers. These were the best speakers on the market right now, the entire band and Couffaine family had excitedly poured into it.

 

Mylene began handing out ear mufflers and Juleka decided to knab some too. Her ears were more sensitive now in days. She had to be careful. Guitar Villain still remained in her memories. 

 

Luka checked with the group before he rose a hand- and shredded his guitar.

 

Juleka could almost hear Plagg shriek but it could not be heard over the shared reverb they were all feeling deep within their bones as the brain shattering sound slammed into all of them like a brick wall. 

 

Juleka stood, wobblily on her legs, holding onto Rose awkwardly.

 

Wow. 

 

That was awesome.

 

"HOLY SHIT" Sabrina finally broke the silence, speaking for the first time this entire set up time, her hair standing on end. "THAT WAS SO FREAKING COOL!"

 

And then the cops showed up.

 

N- No seriously.

 

The cops showed up.

 

"Fuck," Alix muttered. "It's the fucking fuzz. Kim hide me."

 

"Yeah I gotchu bro"

 

"Aw shit.." Luka stepped in front of Juleka immediately, as sirens blared on the shore and soon an awfully familiar cop car came screeching up front. Juleka knew which car it was cause it had a dent in it from that time Anarka smacked it with a lamp so hard it- well- made a dent. 

 

"Want to take bets on him having just been hanging around all day with a decibel meter waiting for an excuse?" Juleka grumbled.

 

"I don't think we have to take bets for that.." Rose whispered back. Luka's eyebrows furrowed as Roger came bustling out of his car. Sabrina's eyes widened with a sudden fear and Ivan silently gestured for her to hide behind his drum set with him. Sabrina scurried by and Chloe crept backwards in silent judgement of the cop as he held up a megaphone.

 

"Couffaine, I can't believe this, are you completely out of your mind? I'm reading 160 decibels! That's 10 times the sound of a jet engine!" Officer Roger shouted with rage. "You just can't do this. You'll have to play something else!"

 

"It's the National Music Festival today, Officer!" Anarka fired back with even more ferocity. Juleka didn't feel quite there in the moment. "My crew's allowed to play whatever they want!"

 

Juleka was shrinking back, she didn't want to be here. She didn't want to be here. Rose took her hand and she clung to it tightly. Rose was her only anchor. It couldn't have been that loud. Even without the mufflers- they bought the same speakers as regular concerts would- the researched- mom knew this sort of shit-

 

"It's a music festival, not a noise festival," Officer Roger demanded, overlooking the entire crew with an irritated glint in his eyes. "If you don't turn the volume down, I'll ban your concert altogether!"

 

"Can't we just turn the volume down?" Marinette whispered to Anarka weakly.

 

"That's what he wants, Lass, an' I refuse to bend over for a suck ass like 'im." Anarka growled through her teeth. "We're playing our music fair, he just wants to stick more pegs in our arses.."

 

"You can't do that!" Kim shouted to the officer, crossing his arms. "Literally everyone else is playing that loud!"

 

Officer Roger ignored him, circling around his car and stomping his way onto the gang pank, no doubt planning to board if not for Anarka in the middle- her arms crossed with an annoyed glare in her eyes.

 

"Do you have a document stating you can moor your houseboat in this location?" Roger asked tersely already pulling out that stupid little ticket thing he was just absolutely obsessed with. 

 

"The Seine belongs to Everyone!" Anarka snarled.

 

"Do you guys actually have a permit?" Juleka nearly jumped when she heard Sabrina behind her now. The wide eyed girl was staring at her dad with such mortified eyes that couldn't tear away, explaining why she risked moving behind the siblings to get a closer watch. Juleka's heart plummeted at that. But she still nodded.

 

"O' course we do." Juleka whispered weakly.

 

"Ma loves her freedom, she loves to kick the government's knees in," Luka murmured, a silent anger beneath his poker face. But she will do anythin' to keep our home safe- an'-... anythin' to keep us from being taken away from her..."

 

Juleka gripped her side tight as the adults continued to escalate. It was then, that Alya had began recording.

 

"You are not allowed to moor here without a parking permit!" Officer Roger said with a grunt, scribbling hard on his tickets. "Which means you can't play your concert here either. Not to mention this incredibly messy deck! Public visual disturbance, you get a ticket!- And this decoration! It's too decorated! Another ticket!-"

 

Anarka snatched it out of his hands, "Decoration? How about some confetti for ye, land lubber-"

 

She tore it up in her face and Juleka shrunk in on herself. Mom stop, please just stop, you're making it worse. But if Anarka ever stopped, if she ever stopped rolling, burning, blazing her trail, Juleka wondered if she'd extinguish into nothing.

 

Roger roared with rage and Juleka stumbled backwards, forgetting Sabrina was behind her and stepping on her toes a little. She was about to apologize but the officer's sheer explosion distracted her.

 

"You asked for it!" Roger shouted, looking a little red in the face. He was so much angrier these days.

 

"One more ticket for making me use too many tickets" Riiip "One more for your attitude," Riiiip "One because I can't sleep," Riiiiiiip "One more because I'm seasick" Riiip "One more because I say so-"

 

Anarka was smoldering at the seams, gripping each ticket tightly in her hands like they were burning a hole through her hands-

 

That is when Sabrina shoved out between Luka and Juleka and screamed-

 

"QUIT IT, DAD!"

 

Juleka stared down at Sabrina. Oh shit.

 

Roger just stared at her bug eyed. Several emotions flashed upon his face. Confusion. Bewilderment. Confusion again. Stupor. Anger. Like he had just comprehended that this was real and his darling daughter was on his mortal enemy's side. The idea Sabrina had a life outside his own seeming to make him wobble on his feet like had just contracted a sea sickness then and there.

 

"Sabrina need to get off that boat, right now." Roger ordered thinly. "She's crazy."

 

"She just wants to hold a concert for the Music festival." Sabrina's voice was shaking. "What are you dong?"

 

"My-" He paused, so flabbergasted. "My job, sweetie."

 

"You don't have a warrant to step on here, dad!" Sabrina exclaimed, gesturing over the boat. The building fury in her voice coupled with the fear and disbelief was- painful. "Those reasons for tickets are- are-"

 

"Ridiculous, utterly ridiculous, Roger. And you know you're already on my daddykin's shit list for the stunt you pulled Last Time." Chloe barked with an exaggeratedly vain tone, putting on a performative character that made Roger sweat whilst she sauntered her way upfront. "Cesaire!"

 

"What she said." Alya nodded beside her, gesturing with her phone, recording, still. A very scary alliance of powers. Juleka's hands were clammy as she gripped Rose tight. Rose gripped her hand back.

 

Rose could feel the very fear rushing through Juleka's veins.

 

Juleka wondered what Luka could Hear.

 

Roger took another step forward but Anarka shoved him backwards, her eyes burning with anger.

 

"Raincomprix.!" Anarka snarled as he stumbled backwards. "DON'T YOU DARE..!"

 

"MISS ANARKA WAIT.!" Sabrina cried. 

 

"MA!" Luka began. Juleka’s heart raced, filling her lungs with ice.

 

"AND THAT- COUFFAINE-" Roger shouted, before his anger smothered to nothing but cold, disgusted, irritation. "Was assault."

 

Anarka blinked.

 

He handed Anarka a ticket. And with a stern-

 

"Sabrina, we will talk about this at home."

 

-He left. It didn't matter what happened. Or what would happen. Roger never stuck to his own rules anyways, clearly. And yet He still took that as a win against the Captain of the Liberty. And she did too. He had pushed the correct buttons and Anarka reacted. Anarka Couffaine just stood there, realizing how far her anger went. In front of everyone. And she just stared.

 

It was always a pride thing between them.

 

Anarka slowly turned to Sabrina, then to her and Luka to everyone else.

 

"ah- am sorry, for that," Anarka said weakly, turning to Sabrina. "Lass, are you, are you okay?"

 

"Why is he like this," Sabrina just whimpered, shaken. Not to anyone in particular. "God, this sucks, he might- I mean he's always been like- and right now he's been thinking therapy was making me more disobedient so what if he-“

 

Juleka slowly pulled her closer to her with Rose, Ivan rising from his drum set and enveloping Mylene. The once ecstatic class was in disarray. They didn’t know what they were gonna do.

 

”Fuckin hell,” Alix spat in but an angry whisper beneath her breath, kicking at the ground bitterly. She always hated shit like this, the skater. Her crystal blue eyes clouded by a burning frustration. Juleka felt her own heart in knots too.

 

”M- Ma?” Juleka’s voice cracked when it came out of her mouth.

 

"I'm gonna.." Anarka's voice sounded far. She looked to Juleka and Luka with cloudy eyes, but still that strained, tired, smile that was trembling to stay strong. "I'm just gonna, park the boat somewhere else, kiddos. Cl- Closer to the crowds. S- So Paris can hear ye kids's wonderful music! And we won’t be bothered by… It'll be- it's gonna be great, lass! Gonna be great! Ah promise.."

 

She sauntered off like an injured dog. Parrot followed after her worriedly, mewling for her attention, but she couldn't find the ability to notice.

 

Minou tugged at her shoe laces and she picked the black kitten up. Juleka's heart plummeted and somewhere in her, she somehow blamed herself for this.

 

Roger was on That Case after all.

 

...

 

Anarka stomped her way inside to the steering room and snarled. She slammed her hands against the steering while and gripped it tight.

 

”FUCK!”

 

Anarka choked on her breath, her knuckles turning white with her strength, even if her hands were truly shaking. She was about to crumble to nothing when a soft meow kept up below her. Parrot wobbily hopped up to meet her eyes, doing his best not to step on the origami crane that decorated the space before the wheel. Anarka's face fell at those, cupping one in her hand.

 

"Ha- haah," Anarka let out a dry laugh, "Oh Parrot,"

 

"Mow," He rubbed his face against her head as she gripped tight to the compass.

 

"I'm such a bad parent aren' I.." Anarka asked in a cold mutter.

 

"Mow,," Parrot mewled sadly, as Anarka brought the fat cat into her arms to hold. Her only anchor in the storm brewing within her chest. Tidal waves of shame slapping against her heart, swallowing her whole and diving her deeper into the belly of the beast.

 

"Captain Hardrock..."

 

It was all sinking with her.

 

...

 

Rose lead Juleka closer to the Liberty's miniature 'green house', rubbing circles into the goth's back. And that's when the deck was engulfed with a disgusting purple smoke that swallowed the ship hole.

 

Juleka was frozen when she saw what was happening, she didn't even begin to comprehend it as an idea that could be true. She couldn't comprehend the screams. She couldn't comprehend the ground she was standing on as she slowly turned when the smoke flitted away before her eyes. She couldn't comprehend her warped home- of safety and warmth and kindness-

 

It was all ruined.

 

It was all ruined.

 

It was all gone now.

 

"M- ma?" Juleka choked out. She nearly screamed when a hand gripped her wrist and she looked up and saw Luka. She was scared. He looked angry. Was he angry at her? fuck. Fuck- fuck what was- she- she- fuck- fu- she-

 

"Juleka- Juleka!" Luka took her by her shoulder and Juleka froze as she saw the terror and unmistakable worry in his eyes. "Juleka,"

 

The class was screaming, she could hear over the white noise again. Her shock personified into the waves of numbness.

 

"Jules.!" Rose cried out, Juleka glancing to her- shocked- she hadn't even..

 

"What's going on!?" Chloe barked. Juleka wished She wouldn't even speak. She wish she wouldn't have to hear her mom's voice in such a warped tone. With golden, owl like eyes and red hair that spiked to the sky like her own wave of fire. But she supposed lady luck was never on her goddamn side.

 

"Your mom has weighed anchor, me lad..!" The akuma stepped out from behind her pirate steering wheel. Her golden eyes glowing a vicious hunger for nothing but pure vengeance and spite. Completely transformed to such degrees, she didn't even need that bloody black makeup plastered over the top half of her face to convince Juleka this was Someone Else. "I'm Captain Hardrock and today Paris's timbers are about to be shivered by my cannons..!"

 

Oh god. No nononon no non nonno nnonon nonon nonon non no no no no No no. No.

 

"Juleka, Juleka-"

 

"Juleka-"

 

"Jules-"

 

But all she could zone in on in a dazed stance was her mother's voice as she whipped out her little telescope and grinned a sharklike snarl.

 

"Westward ho, Liberty next stop, Jagged Stone at the Eiffel Tower. Soon, there will only be one concert in Paris only one Music Festival once we destroy all the others." Captain Hardrock cackled to herself. She threw the telescope behind her and smiled at the crew maliciously. "Now, get to your instruments and rock those decibels!"

 

Juleka tried counting in her mind, trying to find a stronger grip on how to breath again, tugging her hair so painfully that she was begging her mind to ground her in any way any way any way she was so lost she was so scared she was so small she wanted to be small and safe this was the opposite of that- this- this was- this was- this was-

 

"Jules, Jules..!" Rose was holding onto her so tight.

 

"Oh Juleka-" Alya began, inching back more and more. "Oh fuck,"

 

"MOM YOU CAN'T DO THIS.!" Luka shouted, he sounded so angry, so angry, he never shouted, shouting was scary, Juleka was scared, he was trying to protect her, them, all of them, why was ma so mad, was this her fault, she invited everyone, this shouldn't have happened, Juleka should've prevented this when she had control over this- now she had- now she had no control- she she she-

 

"Mutiny? On my ship?" Captain Hardrock's growl spat out from between her teeth like a venom dripping down her lips, burning a hole in her jaw. Juleka's eyes widened at her mother as she extended a horrifying, jagged, glowing sword the end of a microphone grip. Captain Hardrock grinned- "Liberty, seize these scallywags and throw them down into the hold!"

 

Juleka gasped as she felt chains around her waist, and along with the class, they were all sent tumbling into the dark of the Liberty's hull.

 

...

 

Marinette saw the bottom deck of the Liberty briefly.

 

She could describe Luka and Juleka's shared room, the cluttered living room, and the sliding doors. The printed pictures of picture day, Marinette didn't realize how much Juleka truly treasured that day, all of Luka's guitar picks-

 

Half of everything had been dismantled. Destroyed.

 

Alya leaned against her head, groaning dizzily. Her red curls still finding a way to glow in the way they did. 

 

"Marinette, you okay?" Alya asked weakly, snapping Marinette out of her stupor. "We're a little tied up here- maybe I can- hrrk-"

 

Alya struggled hard against the chains, the metal squeaking hard- before she lumped back. Wheezing.

 

"Nope. Nope. Cannot break of these.. metal.. indestructible.. chains." Alya muttered. She sighed, nudging Marinette tiredly. "Sorry, girl."

 

The fashion designer sighed. Her mind would be swirling with ideas to escape, and she was ready to use any of them, but her eyes slowly trailed forward to her classmates. Kim managing to stand while tied to both Alix and Max, the nerd's legs dangling helplessly while Alix was kicking about, trying to bite through her chains somehow- Chloe trying to wrangle herself out of the chains around her and Sabrina were linked with-

 

But it didn't catch her eye.

 

Her eyes, so particular in what she accepted into her view. She, she, she found, she found such- such a.. Marinette, was a person, who saw so plainly into what the world gave her. Whatever was tangible in her hands, what sang into her ears, and what found it's way to sting and sour her tongue- abstract thought came to her with examples pulled from reality.

 

Her creativity was spawned of the existence of life and others. The world around her spawned the worlds inside her very mind. And the emotions around her sunk in like water to tissue. 

 

And Marinette stared with two brilliantly blue eyes, so unearthly silvery as Ladybug, at Juleka, tied close to her brother. Crouched and decrepit with her reddened, teary eyes- that were lost in the array of muffled cannon fodder above and the chaos of their friends around them- stare into the nothingness of space in a mixture of paused horror and forced contemplation. Luka whispering in a language Marinette didn't understand, and Juleka mumbling in return, in a volume no one of any tongue could.

 

Juleka was in a state of stagnant shock. Unable to even notice Rose inching towards her. Rose who brought her so much life, hardly a shadow inside the blurriness of Juleka's vision.

 

"You see it too." Alya muttered. It was not a question. But Marinette still nodded to her best friend in solemn exhaustion.

 

The echo of her scream during Prince Shining- oh how Ladybug had ran in too late- had jutted through Marinette like she herself had been skewered instead. Marinette decided it was now, that they had to escape. Everyone.

 

Quietly, she looked down at Tikki and nodded. With a quick knowing smile, the small kwami flew into the lock that held her and the still wriggling Alya together- and suddenly- it shattered.

 

"Ah! There it goes!" Marinette smiled, lifting her bag open just quick enough for Tikki to fly back in without disturbance, her hand reaching in quick to pull out a certain object for when Alya or someone in the class would ask-

 

"Holy shit! How the fuck did you do that!?" Alix whisper shouted. One of her teeth already a bit chipped. 

 

"Ah. I bent my card for nothing. Cool." Chloe grumbled to herself, at the other side of the room. Marinette laughed a bit, uncomfortably, she still didn't understand why Chloe was invited here but she still smiled.

 

"With this." Marinette smiled, holding up Luka's guitar pick. Alya's jaw fell with awe.

 

"Holy shit you're incredible." Alya whispered, and somehow that meant just so much as Alya grinned at her so wide. "A real magician, girl.!"

 

"Y-You think so?" Marinette sputtered, oh why did she stutter. This was not the right time to stutter. Why now. Why now. "Oh, it was- it was noth-nothing, uh, but- incredible, really? You'd say so?"

 

"I know so!" Alya smiled wider and-

 

"Hey! We're still trapped here!" Chloe barked. "I need to go kick Roger's ass after this, I'm on a tight schedule!"

 

"Chloe!" Sabrina hissed indignantly. But Chloe was right, weirdly. It was time to go.

 

"We agree," Marinette turned to see Juleka slowly, tiredly, standing up with Luka- her eyes widening as the chains around the two siblings fell to their feet. Unlocked as well. Luka looked calm, but his eyes spoke the music of how upset he truly was, while Juleka's eyes were still filled with a cloud of fear.

 

Whatever they said. It might've very well been an argument that Juleka won.

 

"We need to make sure the heroes know it's time for pay day," Juleka let out a hollow laugh, smiling. Her tired copper eyes looked like the flickering glow of a flame from within a rotting pumpkin. "It's time to abandon ship,"

 

"And we," Luka looked at her, gripping her gloved hand tight. "Have a little idea."

 

They worked fast. Quick. One by one everyone was freed, Juleka and Luka were proficient in lock picking with the right tools it looked like, it was fascinating, and Marinette busied herself with the task they gave her. 

 

The chains that were once their use of capture had become a long line of 'rope' for their escape. Fashioning multiple items together- they had somehow made a functioning grappling hook.

 

"Will I even fit through?" Ivan asked worriedly as he held the chains in his hands. They had snuck their way to Juleka and Luka's rooms, locking the door with a chair, and now, crowding around where their porthole windows still remained in existence. 

 

"You'll have to, dude," Nino whispered, patting the biggest classmate's shoulder. "No man left behind!"

 

"Just suck in, Bruel." Chloe advised. "But first try and not miss!"

 

Kim paused, picking up a doll that was on Juleka's desk.

 

"Yo this is creepy as hell, Juleka." Kim commented lightly. "Where didja get it?"

 

"Yeah, I don't know how that got there." Juleka muttered, inspecting the old doll and casually chucking it violently out the window, past her classmates huddling around it. They blinked. Juleka stared back at them uncomfortably.

 

"Um," 

 

"It'll somehow end up back here, tomorrow." Luka muttered, his eyes wide and looking haunted. "It always does."

 

Well. That's horrifying.

 

"There! Throw the thing Ivan!" Chloe demanded.

 

He swung it out the window and it snagged hard outside. There was a pause before the boat suddenly was yanked to a terrible, keening stop. The boat lurching forward in a screeching, metal, groan. And then a horrible slam that rocked them sideways as the Liberty hit the side of the Seine. 

 

"Fuck," Alix hissed.

 

"Out, everyone out!" Luka shouted.

 

"I'M GRABBING THE SMALL BLACK CAT!"

 

They all scrambled one by one, Ivan first with a bit of a shove, helping people onto the shore. Luka helped her out the window- and the moment her feet touched the ground, Marinette was already planning her escape to heroism, it was then a loud slam inside the ship was heard. And it was then-

 

Ladybug stumbled to the scene. The veiled blood still dripping down Her palms as she clung to her side. Time slowed as Prince Shining rose his sword, and Ladybug's eyes widened to see the acceptance of death across her friend's face.

 

-Marinette's blood chilled. When she saw Juleka was still inside, the last one to leave after she shoved the reluctant Rose out. 

 

"Oh no," Juleka said, it sounded artificial. Like she only said it to convince them it mattered. When the snapped the chains away from the shore, the boat lurching further and further away. Leaving Juleka inside. Rose screamed. And Marinette turned heel to run. 

 

...

 

When Captain Hardrock had stomped her way downstairs, kicking down the door, she wasn't met with any of her prisoners but one, lone, hero.

 

"Where is.." She began.

 

"Your prisoners have escaped thanks to me. Glad I got here in time." Panthera snarked hollowly, holding her staff out. "You won't lay a hand on them."

 

"My children?" Captain Hardrock asked sternly. Panthera Noire gripped her staff tighter, her mouth dry as Captain Hardrock looked like she was staring through her very soul, those two golden eyes bound to haunt her somehow.

 

"Far from you." Panthera hissed. She wished. Captain Hardrock smiled.

 

"You got bravery, me young pirate-" Juleka hated how much that made her feel so happy hearing that, but hated how much this wasn't her mother- as Captain Hardrock swung out her sword, hellbent on the spillage of blood like it was the cure to her lifelong drought. "-BUT YOU STILL NEED TO WALK THE PLANK!"

 

Panthera ducked hard, auto pilot was easier than feelings. She ducked under a dangerous swing of a sword and ran up stairs. She nearly tripped when Captain Hardrock yanked down on her belt tail but she instinctively slammed her shoe backwards- nailing Captain Hardrock in the chin.

 

She let out a shout of pain and Juleka almost turned to see if she was okay, but getting out of the tight corridor was the first priority. Panthera grabbed the remains of the couch and swung it into Captain Hardrock's way, watching as her mom cleaved it in half.

 

Panthera stumbled backwards, yelping as Captain Hardrock narrowly swung close to her cheek. 

 

"LIBERTY! CAPTURE PANTHERA NOIRE!" Captain Hardrock demanded. Panthera flipped backwards as multiple nets suddenly flew out on both sides of the ship in multiple red and black cannons. With skull weights at the end.

 

She narrowly dodged them, landing on her feet uneasily, before gasping as she saw Captain Hardrock charging at her. The akuma attempted another slash at her that she barely dodged before yelping as Panthera smacked her across the cheek with her staff.

 

Captain Hardrock growled, spinning her sword in one hand before shouting in surprise as it was yanked away by a whzzing wire. 

 

"Hope I didn't leave you seasick, kitty!" Ladybug quipped.

 

"I won't be! So long as I stay dry!" Juleka said back sharply. Her presence a warm exuberance that brought Juleka a momentarily relief from her situation. They leapt away when Captain Hardrock clambered to grab her sword again.

 

"LIBERTY! CATCH THEM!" Captain Hardrock commanded wildly.

 

"The prisoners are off board, at least most of them.!" Ladybug shouted, dodging over a net of chain flying towards her.

 

"You talking about the goth girl?" Panthera asked with a little smile, she flipped her hair as she dodged under her own. "No need to thank me partner, she's walked the plank to somewhere safe."

 

"Thank goodness.. alright- well- the akuma has got to be the ship, or at least on it," Ladybug thought out loud, reflecting a chain away with a quick snap "Can't you use cataclysm to make this quick?"

 

Juleka froze for a moment, nearly fumbling with her staff but she held it steady.

 

"I- it'd be safer if I just made contact with it! Let's not sink this boat entirely!" Juleka shouted. She didn't want to see the Liberty in more of a wrecked state than it already was. Ladybug thought on this and quickly nodded.

 

"Right- right- yes- I- yes" Ladybug nodded. "Lucky charm!"

 

Juleka squinted away as the bright red light beamed in front of them, but she yelped, seeing Captain Hardrock flying down towards her- with her sword raised high. Panthera shoved Ladybug away and ducked underneath the swing. 

 

She blocked, dodged, parried, swung, ducked, slashed.

 

"PARTNER! FIND THE OBJECT!" Panthera exclaimed desperately. Her eyes narrowed darkly at her mother who was grimacing back at her. Panthera gripped her baton tight. "I'll handle the captain..!" Again!

 

Captain Hardrock chased her around the ship, clashing metal against metal in a horrifying scraping sound. The sounds of cannons echoing through Panthera's ears like a violent orchestra of fire and smoke. Each loud explosion accentuating the fire that leapt to her throat each time.

 

And then Captain Hardrock got her.

 

It was so quick.

 

Smacking the pole out of her hand.

 

And then, and then she-

 

 

 

I look up to you.

 

"RAAAGH!"

 

"EAT- SHIT- FUHCK-!"

 

Juleka felt her legs dangling over the edge. It was terrifying. She was terrified.

 

"You're goin' overboard, cat."

 

"N- no no stop-"

 

I look up to you, that's why I know I'm going to lose to you.

 

Juleka's hands were shaking. They were shaking but she forced her muscles to flex and lock so it wouldn't slip against Anarka's hands when one was clenched around her throat and the other was gripping her glowing red blade- raising it with an unsteady hand-

 

Red.

 

Why was world was always swallowed in red? Swallowing her whole. Draining her. Washing over her. Drowning her.

 

Always.

 

Always.

 

Always.

 

Panthera's eyes squeezed shut. She didn't even want to fucking see it all. See any of the world. The fear that rippled beneath her skin, crawling like bugs over and under her veins like vein and roots, so tangible in her lungs she could physically choke, she couldn't even fucking cry.

 

Why am I not allowed to die peacefully? She wondered in deep despair. Why in every attempt to kill me, they have to attempt to destroy the part of me I worked so hard for, why do I have to go down kicking and screaming and scared, why do they force me to stoop to that level I know I’d survive better with violence but I’d hate every second of it?

 

Her eyes opened for a moment as she could see in the unrecognizable look within Captain Hardrock's eyes... A rage that wasn't her's but a terror that was her mother's soul bursting in horrified form. Juleka hated it, to see that. And fear became anger. 

 

How dare he.

 

How dare he force this mask upon her mother. How, fucking, dare he.

 

I hope that when I die, I’m at least laid to rest peacefully a grave under soft dirt where flowers could grow. Juleka thought breathlessly. I hope that in death my desires will be honored despite the refusal to grant me them in life. I hope I hope I hope.

 

How tragic it was for her, not to hope to live but to hope for her death. To be so intertwined with it. The string wrapped her, once, twice- It was so tragically pitiful in the eyes of her own when she stared at it at an opposing view.

 

She had accepted the idea she was going to die one day, she just felt selfish to wish for a kind fall.!

 

But..

 

But...!

 

Panthera snarled, as she readjusted her grip on her mother's wrist as a newborn fire ingulfed, licking up through her lungs and breathing embers into the akumatized mask welded to her mother's face.

 

But I refUSE..! TO DIE HERE..!

 

Juleka gripped her mom's arm tight, breathing through her teeth like a struggling animal that puffed growls against Captain Hardrock's face.

 

"You.. are... fucking.. sick..!" Juleka snarled, her voice shaking as her eyes stung with fire and tears. She was Not talking about Captain Hardrock. She was Not talking about Anarka Couffaine. She was Not talking about her Mother. She was Not talking about anyone here that was breathing the same air she was. She was not talking about anyone here on this ship.

 

She was talking to Him.

 

"And I will be the one, to put. You. DOWN..!" Juleka choked in a desperate, spiteful, cry. Her voice was failing her as tears began biting more and more in her eyes. Her strength and breath failing. Captain Hardrock's eyes widened seeing that. And Juleka felt her mom's grip loosen around her.

 

"What am I..?" Anarka began, her eyes outstretched with a mortified expression. But it was not a moment for Juleka to soak in. "what have I.."

 

Juleka stretched a hand forward, gripping tight to her mom's shoulder and pushing forward against Captain Hardrock's overwhelming strength that seemed to swallow her world whole- she slammed her forehead against Captain Hardrock's, sending them toppling back onto the deck.

 

A horrible crack echoed between them and Juleka nearly bit her tongue by that sudden explosion of momentary and now numbing pain that stung her forehead. Messing her hair that tumbled like a mane down her shoulders, flowing wildly now, that she was free from her pin down.

 

"AGHh!" Captain Hardrock screamed with pain, stumbling backwards in a stumbled genuine surprise, her face lighting up bright with the purple butterfly visor that flared over her eyes. 

 

"HAgh!" Juleka let out a bark of laughter before wincing a little. Captain Hardrock snarled, raising her sword before dropping it by her side immediately. Juleka stepped back, her breath haggard and growing even more quick by the second. She was barely getting oxygen despite it all. The action that had occurred hardly in her mind.

 

Fight. Fight.

 

That was the only option she had.

 

Fight. Fight.

 

The world was spinning.

 

"Liberty..! Hnnrh.." Captain Hardrock shook her head, her mind looking like it was wracking with pain. She squinted at Panthera before raising a trembling hand. "I am the Captain.. obey me.. Liberty.. just.. seize her..!

 

"h- hah? WOAHh-"

 

Juleka let out a squawk of shock as the ground dropped below her. Her adrenaline pumping far to fast through her bones.

 

"AAAgGHHH"

 

She landed hard against the wood ground, it wasn't the prettiest landing. Juleka already learnt quick that always landing on your feet wasn't an all the time thing as they said. Actually good landings were more of a... 90%... 85%.. 80% chance... where was she?

 

Juleka opened her eyes weakly.

 

She was back below deck again.

 

"UGH! COME ON!" Juleka growled, slamming her fist against the ground. God damn it. She just got out of here.! ..Wait.. 

 

No, she wasn't back below deck where she and the others once were. When they were all chained together This was somewhere much deeper. The equivalent of the basement on the galleon. Where was she...

 

Juleka was trying to catch her wild, infrequent breaths. And it was then, that she heard a deep snarl echo from the darkness of the hull. A thunderous thud to each and every heavy, claw scraping step.

 

"rrrrRRRRRrr.r..."

 

"AGH" Juleka screamed, stumbling backwards, her claws scraping and digging into the ground. Fear and the need to attack was overflowing through her lungs as the monster peeled its way into her viewable light. A lion sized beast- with fangs and claws larger than her hand.

 

Fuck.

 

She recognized-!

 

Parrot, transformed into a hulking, monstrous beast, came slowly lumbering in. It reminded her of Fang during Guitar Villain. An already unpleasant memory that, she supposed, would be one of the last things her mind would think about before it was snuffed.

 

"no.. NO.. NO NO..-!" Juleka whimpered, shielding her face as her eyes squeezed shut. She realized quickly this was not something she'd fight. At least not without killing. At least not without her staff. She realized she was gonna be hurt by something she loved again and She prayed that being torn to ribbons was quick and painless.!

 

thump.

 

Juleka opened her eyes as Parrot flopped onto her lap, his tongue sleepily sticking out in a small blep. A deep chuff rumbled through his entire body and traveled through her, reaching the lungs that had choked on her very breath. The large lion sized cat gently nuzzled against her lap, his sudden overwhelming weight that was even more heavier than heavy almost crushing.

 

Juleka let out a gasp as Parrot let out another rumble, moving up to lay on on her stomach- immediately her body fell to the ground and she laid there. Staring at the ceiling with the biggest cat she'd ever seen using her as a pillow, and now, licking one of her hands while the other stroked through what felt like layers upon layers of fur.

 

"Oh," Juleka whispered. She could feel- hear- her heart beat now. She had been Panicking. She was Panicking. Juleka was panicking. Juleka was panicking. Juleka was panicking. Juleka was panicking. She was panicking. She was panicking. She was panicking. She was panicking. She was panicking-

 

"Prr rprrrr prrrrr prrr, ,, ,"

 

Parrot forced her to breathe. It's what she needed. Juleka buried her face into his fur. Letting out shuddering breaths. 

 

"Fuck I'm scared to fight." She was before, she was during the fight, she was now. "I don't wanna go back up there, Parrot,"

 

"MrrrROow..."

 

He was so ginormous compared to her as he kept her down, nuzzling against her face like he still fit in her lap. Parrot didn't want her to go up there either. But another muffled cannon explosion hit her ears and she looked up sadly.

 

She attempted to slowly shove him off but he just shuffled closer, letting out another whine.

 

"Stop, Parrot, stop."

 

"Mmmowww,,"

 

"Stop, please, I- I gotta go back up now, break time is over," Juleka whispered, as if her own words were soaking in enough to actually get up. Her throat, her neck, her lungs felt like they were just Burning.

 

He was so unearthly heavy on her it made her have to wheeze every breath. Juleka pressed her hands against his face, they sunk about a foot in before she felt actual skin and not just fur upon fur and she attempted to push.

 

She kept on pushing. But he would barely even budge. She couldn't get him to. He was like a giant boulder crushing her legs. A giant boulder who's weight was probably 40% from the fluffy fur. He didn't want her to leave either.

 

Another explosion, and Juleka wondered if she imagined that shout of fear from Ladybug.

 

"Please, Parrot, I gotta save my mom."

 

Parrot's ears drooped sadly. Juleka's eyes squeezed shut.

 

"I gotta,"

 

And so the lumbering giant stood up.

 

...

 

"a've got you now ye dafty, wee jobby, numpty, boot, bug..!" Captain Hardrock snarled. Ladybug gripped tight to her bicycle chain. Was that even french? She stumbled further backwards, trying to spin over ropes and cannons aiming towards her.

 

"What do I do with..!" She wondered out loud.

 

Ladybug was running out of options here and Panthera Noire had suddenly disappeared from-

 

"rrRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHh!"

 

They two girls spun around, wide eyed. The middle of the liberty burst open like a stomach. Wooden splinters and boards exploded everywhere, Ladybug deflecting the ones flying towards her with her yoyo and ducking under the ones she couldn't hit. Captain Hardrock roared with rage before a black blur charged out of the smoke and debris.

 

"CAPTAIN HARDROOOCK!" Panthera roared with rage. Panthera tackled Captain Hardrock through the air, tumbling her across the ground. The two wrestled for power before Panthera managed to snatch her sword and chuck it into the Seine with a mighty throw. 

 

"AAGH!" Captain Hardrock snarled.

 

"PARTNER! THE AKUMA! WHERE IS IT!?" Panthera shouted, and Ladybug's soul nearly left her body as she saw the giant hulking beast following after Panthera Noire like a monstrous nightmare coming to life- "LADYBUG!"

 

Ladybug shook her head, refocusing. 

 

"THE COMPASS, KITTY!" Ladybug shouted. Panthera nodded, whistling to the giant lion of a cat that had burst from the underground of the Liberty's mighty, well, now destroyed deck of the Liberty. It let out another mighty roar, slamming onto the deck ad charging at Captain Hardrock like a raging bull.

 

"Parrot ye mutinous trait-!" Captain Hardrock began before wheezing as Parrot slammed into her and sent her sprawling across the ground before the cat leapt and jumped onto her comfily. Panthera and Ladybug nodded to each other, running up the deck to the wheel.

 

Panthera snarled as she attempted to spin the wheel but to no avail. It seemed even if her voice was muffled, Captain Hardrock could still order the ship around. Ladybug's eyebrows narrowed as she attempted to step closer to the wheel but squeaked as the deck suddenly lurched to the side, it's compass attached spinning wildly at her.

 

Panthera caught her quickly and Ladybug scrambled to her feet. Her eyes widening as the clicking to the puzzle began to harmonize into a song that made sense.

 

"NOO! GET AWAY! GET AWAY FROM THE COMP-mMF-" Captain Hardrock shouted, before screaming muffledly as the giant cat crushed her once more, letting out a chillaxed meow. Panthera's ear twitched before nodded with a smile at Ladybug. 

 

"Time to ship wreck this ship wreck!" Ladybug shouted, wrapping the chain around her wrists before yanking the ship off the seine's water and slamming- crashing it- into the shore. 

 

"AAAAAAAA"

 

Captain Hardrock and Parrot went flying off as the Liberty crashed into the side of the seine, sending wood splintering everywhere as it's wood and metal creaked violently against the shore and Panthera raised her hand, claws extended out dangerously.

 

"CATACLYSM!"

 

It bubbled an intense black before she smashed her fist against the glass of the compass wheel, cracking it to pieces and bursting bright sparks of electricity and dissolving glass that soon turned into dark ash. Fidgeting and flying clumsily out of the air, Ladybug snatched it out of the air.

 

"Gotcha!" Ladybug grinned, hugging her yoyo for a moment before releasing the purified butterfly. "Bye bye, little butterfly!"

 

In a flurry of black smoke, Anarka Couffaine let out a loud hack of air, finally free from the akuma, whilst Parrot dropped from the sky in a loud meowl before the woman caught the chonky guy safely in her arms.

 

"Wha-whahappuh.." Anarka sputtered, holding her cat close to her chest. Panthera stumbled for a moment. Ladybug wondered what the look in Panthera's eyes were as a trembling hand reached forward- but it was interrupted.

 

The class ran in. They must've been following the ship.

 

"Miss Anarka are you okay!?"

 

"Is everyone okay?"

 

"Where's Juleka?!"

 

Marinette stood in the rush of it all as Panthera rose her arms up tiredly.

 

"I took your girlfriend to shore, don't worry, Rose" Panthera Noire smiled weakly, "She's safe. Once we cast the cure and everything fixes up, she should be somewhere near, I promise"

 

Rose nearly collapsed in Panthera's arms, hugging onto her hands.

 

"Oh thank you,,,"

 

Marinette prayed Miraculous Cure would actually work. For such collateral damage this big... No no. She couldn't think about that. Now was time to fix everything.

 

"MIRACULOUS LADYBUG!"

 

A rush of ladybugs washed over them, a tidal wave of red and pink- and suddenly- the grass beneath her boots was replaced with wood and Ladybug opened her eyes with relief as she was met with the Liberty. Normal. Safe and sound. Back to it's normal, messy, chaotic self.

 

Anarka stared at it all, her eyes lost in the energy of it all. And so was Panthera Noire. Ladybug slowly approached her.

 

"Miss Couffaine, are you okay?"

 

"A-Aye," The captain said weakly, holding her cat close to her as the students around her fretted and gaped in awe. "W-what happened?" 

 

"You just, caught some seasickness" Ladybug said with a light wink. 

 

"Are me kids okay?" Anarka asked immediately. Panthera's tail lashed.

 

"They..." Panthera began but her words were drifting off further.

 

"Ma!" Luka came rushing over and Ladybug squeaked, stepping back a little. A heat lit up in her cheeks but the flicker of flame in her chest extinguished when she saw the tears in his eyes as he collapsed into his mother's arms so they could just hold each other.

 

The rose colored glasses shattered quicker this time. It didn't dissuade the slightest attraction in her, but he was more than a dream boat. That was sure. It felt like she was intruding on a tender moment and it felt so for the others too. She wondered where Juleka was.

 

"Hey," Ladybug smiled weakly to her partner beside her, "How about we go set sails together ...Panthera?"

 

Panthera was staring outward, lost. With an expression in her eyes Marinette couldn't even begin to describe.

 

"I need... some time.. a- alone, Partner." Her voice was so quiet. So weak. So cracked. There was a flood behind those eyes that squeezed shut, one of Panthera's hands trailing upwards to softly caress and rub her own throat. "I'm sorry just.. Give me a moment..-!"

 

"Panthera!" Marinette called after her, but the hero was gone. Her face fell with her heart and she could hear it practically shatter against the ground. Her face plummeted, hands shaking behind her, clammy beneath her suit. At least explain why..? 

 

Before the others could see her off, she disappeared too.

 

...

 

Juleka ran.

 

She ran until she had to stop on top of what looked like some flower shop for Plagg to recharge.

 

They exchanged no words.

 

There were none needed.

 

Panthera Noire was nothing but efficient in the latest hours of the afternoon.

 

The city was growing daring it seemed.

 

Panthera Noire took down a mugger, She stopped a robbery prematurely, and almost fought a thief but... she saw it was just a kid.

 

He was hungry. He was scared and, didn't want to be found. Panthera held his hand, and She took him somewhere safe. She hated seeing police officers but they could help in groups compared to the single her. Seeing the blustered Roger who was apparently humbled severely by Captain Hardrock raised her spirits though.

 

Panthera Noire realized quietly a fact she knew but had left to ignore. She couldn't stay out for forever as she stared at the setting sun. In a flash of green light, she was her again.

 

Just, Juleka.

 

Juleka slowly walking one, one step after another, the crows and cats stepping after her like retreating shadows in the befalling night. Plagg nestled close.

 

"Remember to breath."

 

"I'm aware." Juleka answered sharply but she still appreciated it.

 

Juleka crept aboard. The class was still here. She was surprised. She figured they'd leave after everything today. And then she hoped that no one would-

 

BANG- BAHGCK- BUMP- OW F-

 

"-UCk.!"

 

She blinked, staring up at the class after walking into the entire Drum set on stage and crashing into the ground painfully. Juleka's eyebrows furrowed.

 

"Damn, that sucked." Juleka mumbled.

 

"JULEKA!"

 

"that's my excuse to slink away, I'll be hanging out with Tikki, bye jules!" Plagg whispered before flying discretely down the deck.

 

"w- wh- what? oH I'M BEING PULLED UP OH-KAY- is the drum set okay?"

 

She was yoinked into a tight hug that knocked the breath out of her, then knocked her lungs out of her when Ivan came thundering over and squeezing her so tight she might've popped like one of those pencil toppers with the eyes and the- you know the ones. 

 

Rose held her face in her palms, "Oh Jules where did you go!? We were so worried-"

 

"I go' loth afther miraculuth cureh-" Juleka said, her face a bit squished to speak before squeaking with surprise as Rose yanked her into a kiss. She was promptly let go by her friends and her mind blanked on the details after a moment before Rose let her face go to pull her into a warm hug.

 

She was getting used to this, but, it was hard to understand how they missed her so much. Juleka didn't get it.

 

"Oh! Now we can do the thing! The thing!" Rose began hopping in place, her eyes looking like they'd been replaced by a pair of sparkling stars plucked from the deep purple curtain of stars called space.

 

"The thing?" Nino asked. Alya flicked his hat and his eyes fluttered wider. "Oh right! That thing!"

 

"Roger came by to 'fix' our music volume" Kim said, catching Juleka up.

 

"He just set it to the settings we had it, but like one peg lower." Adrien revealed himself from behind Kim with a smile.

 

"Adrien! Where have you been?" Juleka asked with a beaming grin.

 

"I struck it lucky it seems!" Adrien smiled. "I'll be playing with you guys, tonight. If that's okay. Sorry if I'm not ship shape for the song since I only fumbled on today, but, your house is really amazing."

 

"O- oh is that so? Thank you." Juleka chuckled bashfully. It felt a bit flattering, still, to be complimented by Adrien. She found him awesome after all. Lila popped out from behind him, arms crossed.

 

"I'm not so lucky." Lila said, though her smile coy. "I'm technichally at home now, shh"

 

"Shh for me too please, I somehow convinced my dad to stay, I don't know how that even happened," Sabrina said weakly, scratching behind her neck with a shy lopsided smile.

 

"So... Are we preforming?" Ivan asked shyly.

 

"We are,"

 

She looked up and saw Luka smiling down at her. Juleka's lips tugged into a little smile as her lifted up a hand to rest and pat her head.

 

"Juleka you don't- please don't fight mom you don't have to." Luka whispered darkly to her as he tugged upon the chains they were binded together with.

"I gotta.." She replied lostly. She didn't feel in tune anymore. "It's my job, I gotta do it."

"This is- this is unfair- don't- don't do this. Don't make me watch you do this again..." Luka's voice failed him, his head hanging between his shoulders.

"You don't gotta watch.." Juleka looked over her shoulder.

"Not literally..! I just- I- I don't- I don't want you to fight mom.."

"I won't hurt her.."

"That's not my worry."

 

Juleka's lips quivered into the slightest frown at the early, stinging memory, but he still pulled her into a more sincere hug. Juleka felt her bones, aching as they were, feel like they were melted by the immediate contact with her brother's embrace. Juleka glanced up and saw her class staring and she awkwardly pulled away.

 

"Okay," Juleka smiled before turning to her girlfriend. "You lead, lead singer,"

 

"WOO!"

 

Juleka waltzed her way to the stage, helping reset the drums- luckily not damaged- with Ivan, before picking up her bass and letting it weigh in her hands. Juleka blinked as a lavender light shown down on her and she looked out. Anarka smiled back weakly at her, arming the controls to the lights as the woman stood in the darkness.

 

Juleka's grip on her bass loosened for a moment before she refocused and tried to mentally recount her chords as Rose stepped up to the mic excitedly.

 

"Evenin' everyone!" Rose smiled excitedly. Bouncing on her feet. "Our name is Kitty Section! We hope enjoy the show!~"

 

The class awed and nodded to each other excitedly, scooting closer on their little boxes they were sitting on as chairs. Juleka chuckled. They had no idea what was coming-

 

"IVAN!" Rose screamed, shocking the class up from their chairs for a moment. Ivan grinned wildly.

 

"ONE TWO THREE!-"

 

At least one person physically fell off their chair, but Juleka couldn't care who it was, they'd get back up, the smile didn't leave her face for one moment as she jammed out with her favorite people.

 

...

 

This was a good night. They all sang and played and they danced and they screamed and they laughed like idiots. Happy idiots. Rose pulled Chloe on stage to dance with her giggly before throwing her at Alix in a loud crash. The class laughing a little making Chloe huff puff a bit with embarrassment while Alix let out a bark of laughter.

 

Juleka giggled to herself as she spun Sabrina around safely, much to the ginger haired girl's delight before Juleka passed her on so she could turn and give Rose's hand a small kiss upon her knuckles much to her girlfriend's squeeing. Kim got to pretend to steer the ship. Nino got to take controls of the dj thing.

 

Juleka was happy. She was happy, her friends were here. She wanted them here with her again. And Luka, it looked like he was having so much fun. That made her heart overflow so much. Laughter reminded with a cold bite in her lungs to breathe. Who knew.

 

It was at some point in the night though, where the atmosphere grew more quieter but without loss of the warmth and the lights, that Rose lightly nudged her. Juleka tilted her head over, and Rose gently gestured to the front of the boat where Anarka sat quietly. Sitting on one of the sun chairs and staring out at the Seine, alone.

 

Juleka's grip on her bass strap tightened and loosened awkwardly. She looked expectantly at Rose, waiting for her to tell her to stay, but Rose just softly smiled.

 

They were a loud family.

 

Juleka wondered how ever they managed to speak with no words at all.

 

Rose gave her a soft peck on the cheek, taking her bass for her, and Juleka slowly sauntered her way to her mom. She was holding Parrot, who was sleeping peacefully upon her lap and purring like a motor engine. Anarka took notice of her presence but didn't say anything, just smiling, and patting a hand on the other chair.

 

This was the first time someone in her Family had become an akuma.

 

Juleka- now away from the music party, now accepting the quieter moment where the music and laughter became muffled and but a background- sat down next to her peacefully. The two took a deep breath in, and a deep breath out.

 

Peace.

 

"That's a nice, 95% charged dead phone, Jules." Anarka smiled with a sharp glint as she looked down at her device with a smile. Juleka laughed weakly as she quietly scooped Minou in her hands to stroke rhythmically. 

 

"Ah- that- uh," Juleka tried for words but they wouldn't stick. Anarka chuckled to herself.

 

"It's fine" Anarka smiled, scratching behind Parrot's ear. She hummed gently, looking up at her daughter with soft, tired eyes. "You and your friend's make a pretty good band. Am proud of ye."

 

"Oh, thank you ma," Juleka smiled weakly, looking away, downcasted.

 

Anarka was silent for a moment, seeming to try and summon the courage to speak. Before she had finally found the correct words and while at first she raised a hand to plant on Juleka's shoulder- it fell back to Parrot worriedly.

 

"Did I, hurt ya lass?" Anarka whispered. 

 

"N- no! No. Of course you, of course you didn't." Juleka quickly said, rubbing the space around her neck anxiously. It still mentally stung, even if grip marks weren't there. Or at least, anymore. "Of course you didn't, mama,"

 

"I'm not talking just about you, you." Anarka said sternly.

 

Just about me? She said 'you' specifically. What did she-

 

..oh.

 

Oh.

 

Oh. I.

 

I.

 

Fuck- I um. um um um. okay.

 

"Okay! that- I- that- changes.." Juleka murmured, tucking her knees in for Minou to softly nuzzle his nose at her chin as she hoped her mental panic didn't catch up to her literal tone. "That- that- okay. I can- I can- deal with- that- I am- that- that of course makes sense, yes, I can, I can accept, these, course, these course of events.."

 

Anarka hummed distantly. They still didn't touch, even if they felt too many worlds away from each other from their separate plundered pool chairs. It was then Juleka found the moment to look Anarka in the eyes and see the agony in her seas of blue. A blue Juleka didn't get the luxary to share.

 

And Juleka's face fell. And she let Anarka speak.

 

"mother's.. I.. it's- I think it's expected we should know about this stuff.." Anarka began awkwardly, holding out her hands before slowly burying her face in them. "I don't- I'm sorry I never got the instruction manual, either times.."

 

"H- hah, yeah," Juleka laughed lightly, "Y- you, you do a good job though,"

 

"Do I?" Anarka asked weakly. Juleka had no idea how to respond to that. How could she paint her mom the picture of glory and adoration she had hung up in her mind on a pedestal of love and respect? How could she?

 

Juleka's jaw opened and she let only a sliver of noise come out in the form of words.

 

"Sh- you- you weren't you."

 

"Juleka."

 

"It felt like a completely different person." Juleka said quietly, her hand shaking in the moment. Trying to grasp her words like falling stars pouring through her fingers like waterfalls of sand. "You were a stranger. You were a horror story. It was unfair and it was scary and it wasn't...it wasn't you-"

 

"Oh Jules," Anarka began with a sob. "I'm so sorry, I jus', I can't believe I've done it- I can't believe I've- I've- am I- am I like- oh Juleka.. My Juleka.. I'm so sorry, I'm so-"

 

"I'm strong, m-ma, please," Juleka tried to reassure her, it was an incorrect experience to see her mom fall apart. To watch her tear up because of her. Juleka hated it, she hated herself for causing it. And her arms reached out for her, even when they could only graze the material of her mother's sleeve. "I-it's okay ma, yo-you don't have to cry,"

 

"You shouldn't have to be strong," Anarka cried out quietly, hands buried deep within the knots of her greying hair mixed with the starlight locks of dyed strands. "You didn't have to be. You weren't supposed to be. You, you were so... so..."

 

Juleka silently moved to her mom's chair next to her and let both herself and her collapse against each other. And soon, Luka joined them. His face hardened with a strength he'd been forced to toughen before it began to shatter to shards as the family embraced each other.

 

Anarka held her two kids close. As they connected, as they rejoined into the single song that was them. Humming a song they all understood when words failed their blood stained, ever cracked lips. Their family.

 

They were a hurt family. There were cracks and edges. They were flawed. They were still licking wounds. Always licking wounds. But there was love. And there was love.

 

And there was love.

 

And there was love.

 

 

Notes:

And there was love.

 

Thank you to Ghost for Juleka's death monologue!

It's a bit late and, I wonder if this was actually good, I'm sleepy, but I hope you enjoyed,

Chapter 59: Syren

Summary:

uh oh

smells

fishy

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Several years ago.

 

The air was cold, it ate at their bones as they stood solemnly like pale statues at the funeral site. No one spoke to the two girls, bustling around, praying their apologies like confessions, murmuring in quiet tragic mourning. But never did they dare to talk to the two girls. For it would breach the membrane of privacy the two girls had held themselves in. A membrane that would be a sin to break. So no one disturbed them.

 

It had begun to rain that day. Good, The two girls- one tall with the most tired copper eyes, one short with red cheeks- thought. It masked their tears. But today, Juleka had an umbrella. And for as long Rose needed, she'd be by her side. Rain, hail, snow, drought, and even, death itself. 

 

”The weather is far too nice for a funeral.” Juleka stated quietly, making Rose quietly laugh for a moment as the soft morning sun shined on them despite the rain. It was one of the only times she had ever seen Rose fully wear black. In contrast, Juleka started wearing black more that day, and didn’t stop much after that. 

 

”Y-Yeah..” Rose had whispered quietly, choking on her own tears “But I think he would’ve liked this day, maybe we could’ve gone on a picnic.” 

 

And soon silence was where they were plunged once more. Like an inky black abyss.

 

This was the remembrance of a tragedy. A tragedy that fought to prevent it so. A tragedy that was a father, a friend, and a kindness. A tragedy that died anyways. A tragedy that died ill. A tragedy that was tangible to their lips and their tongue.

 

The young child's ears pricked as, for the first time in what felt like hours, her friend spoke. And what a miserable tone it came to be.

 

"I don’t think I’ll ever be happy again" Rose said with a decided statement. Juleka blinked. Rose kept on her promises, she was very good at that. She'd kept her promise to be best friends 'forever' years ago. And it seemed she'd keep up with it now. So a promise like that. A declaration so bold. It made Juleka a little nervous.

 

"Never ever again?" She asked delicately. Words were still hard, even after so much work. And they'd still be hard, even now. 

 

"Never ever."

 

"Oh." Juleka mumbled with a gentle tone. Her hair was shorter then. Still growing to it's now curtain like length. She fiddled with it, thoughtfully. Like that statement was something so deep to ponder over. But it was. When happiness and Rose seemed so congruent with each other. "That doesn't sound fun."

 

"It won't be." Rose said with a determinedly distraught stare. Her arms crossed tight and painfully, like a wound up ribbon. "But I've decided that I won't be happy again. I just can't see a way I can."

 

Rose added on with a fretful whisper.

 

"My- My heart.. it feel's like.. it's wilting-" Rose croaked outwards, her body shaking like a leaf in a violent storm, trembling and fragile. "-..like a flower.."

 

They stood at the foot of Louis Lavillant's grave. Rose's eyes were red with her tears, pressed down, dried out, still stinging. 

 

"You’ll be happy again eventually it’ll just be a different happy" Juleka whispered, it still was still so quiet. The quiet beat of the rain puttering against the rainbow umbrella she held in her quivering hand. "But it’s still happy, its still something, it's still you. Just different."

 

"Different," Rose echoed in the most despaired whisper of what her voice once was. It pained her.

 

"And... that’s ok, it’s ok if you’re different, its ok if you’re sad, and its ok if you’re happy and sad at the same time." Juleka spoke, reaching out a hand that quivered. It was hard to articulate her precise vision, her specific painting of words of what she wanted to say. All she could manage though, was- "It’ll be ok"

 

"How can it?" Rose had whimpered, her hand balled into a fight fist, knuckles white. “Prove to me life is soft”

 

"You're gonna feel weak but your going to get through it anyway and I’ll hold your hand as long as you want." Juleka found a strength in her tone. She turned to Rose with a pleading, pleading voice. "I’ll protect you and I’ll keep watch so nothing bad will touch you. Wherever your mind goes I’ll come with you."

 

Rose's eyebrows knitted together. Her lip quivering with a painful croak in her throat.

 

"Everyone, everyone, can- ar- are gonnah- l- le-lEAVE ME.!" Rose nearly began to sob, choking on her breath in such choking lumps. Rose let out a cry of despair. Juleka hesitantly looked around, the other funeral attendees were staring at them. Pitifully.

 

Juleka grimaced at their eyes and the dark haired child covered Rose's shoulder with her arm softly. Protectively..

 

"I know you’re tired, Rosie, I’ll hold you and I’ll protect you and I’ll keep watch so nothing bad will touch you" Juleka promised weakly, her voice shaking with her. Her voice tense yet brimming with a strength she didn't know if she could truly possess. "I promise"

 

A strength though, Rose needed. Rose was scared. Rose was scared she was going to die young, already at such a young age. A fear... that Rose.. her best friend... Rose didn't deserve to be plagued with... Rose mattered more to Juleka than the moon to the tides. She refused to leave for as long as Rose wanted her to stay.

 

Rose whimpered, she was so small then. Juleka hugged her so tight.

 

"You're going to get through this," Juleka whispered into her ear quietly, shakily. Her eyes stung with her own tears. "And- and not 'cause you’re stronger then this... no one is, and no one should ever expect you to be... no one..."

 

"How do I get over this then?" Rose sniffled pleadingly. "I don't think... I'm strong enough, Jules..."

 

"You are strong, but not for fighting sadness, you're strong cause you’re you." Juleka whispered in a hush breeze against Rose's ear. Their height difference wasn't so skewed back then. When they were both so small. Both so small.

 

Both so small.

 

"Could you.." Juleka began, her words already reaching their limit. "Pr- Promise me something? Rose?"

 

Rose looked up at her as the rain came down above them. Rose softly leaning against Juleka's shoulder. 

 

"Okay,"

 

Juleka pulled a breath in sharply, as she stared down at the flowery grave. The rustle of leaves and the flapping of wet feathers from the sweeping ravens above them. Crowing out their songs of grievances in their scratched voices, torn from the sun's smoke. And Juleka would ever continue to reach so she may dry her tears with the ever present feathers of death.

 

Feathers so beautiful that sorrow itself gave them their song.

 

Don't sink. Juleka thought quietly as she squeezed Rose close with a weak look. Don't inhale those suffering waves. Don't let the chains yank you beneath the waves. Don't lose your way. Don't... don't... don't...

 

Juleka swallowed her breath. She swallowed it. She buried it. She mourned it. And she held Rose closer, a warm hug that acted like a hearth against the rumbling storm that loomed over the sunny day. The sunny funeral that sent such a chill down their spines.  

 

"Don't drown, Rose." Juleka whispered, Rose nuzzled close.

 

...

 

Panthera didn't like fighting akumas. It was fun to be Panthera Noire don't get that wrong, but hurting akumas? Was not as fun as one thought. It was a fight of life or death, it was hurting an innocent person who couldn't control themselves.

 

But fighting itself? For the sake of a spar? A duel? To train and better the body? For fun?

 

Juleka smiled.

 

She did like that.

 

What could she say? Her ma always helped her and her brother stay fit, the childhood Juleka could remember both in and away from it's vague dreadfulness was filled with fantasy and wooden swords. Working out also helped her mental health too. Eased her stresses, let her mind go away to somewhere else where her body let itself move on it's own in instinct.

 

It was a shame that she'd lost a lot of time to do these things, with Panthera. Being Panthera was so scary. And these akumas... were getting stronger.. no no, don't think about it. Not right now. Especially when now is a different time.. now is..!

 

"Welcome to your first day of hero training!" Ladybug squealed, spinning around Rena Rouge as the three stood on the roof of a large, quiet building. Juleka's ear twitched as she stared at the two and her head tilted away to see the Movie theatre a few blocks away. She smiled before looking back at the two other heroes.

 

"Hero training?" Rena gasped, "Did you guys get hero training too? Did you guys go to a secret school? Is there a secret school? Or a super secret training facility? Oh my god and is there like a mutant professor who teaches other people with special powers how to-"

 

"Uh- no- no no. This is just us working on our own." Juleka said lightly, waving a hand to dust away the fantasies Rena was stirring. "It's the least we can do to our new recruit. We were just dropped the miraculous to deal with Stoneheart, on the day of Stoneheart."

 

Her eyebrows furrowed at the memory. That wasn't the best day. Luka got hurt.

 

"Me and Kitty figured that, if we're to have new heroes," Ladybug continued, pulling out a small white board and writing 'hero training' on it with a red marker. "We can help them be more prepared than we were!"

 

"It'd be easier if you were a permanent hero but, still." Juleka chuckled, giving Ladybug a little look but Ladybug didn't give much attention to it. Juleka hummed and looked back to Rena Rouge.

 

The fox's identity still verily alluded her like spoke through her fingers and it made her frustrated. And the way the fox was able to push her buttons with such precision and horrifying accuracy. It made Panthera's hair stand on end, bristling.

 

"Ladybug why don't you demonstrate to our fox first," Panthera smiled lightly at her. "Take the lead, partner."

 

“Aw come on I don't wanna, I was supposed to be the explainer lady while you did all of the cool combat stuff! We both know you're the more physically strong." Ladybug pouted. She looked away from her. "Besides... It hurts to punch.”

 

“Wait wait wait-" Panthera waved a hand, her eyebrows furrowed as she walked over to Ladybug. "Show me your fist.”

 

“Here?” Ladybug clenched her hand and Juleka nearly had a heart attack just staring at it. No. No..! THE HORROR. THE ABSOLUTE HORROR!

 

“Are you, are you tucking your thumb.. in.. partner no!” Juleka shrieked, her stomach was dropping. Fuck, oh fuck, has she been tucking it in this entire time? As partner been punching incorrectly? Oh my god? I'm an awful trainer. This is horrifying.!

 

“What!?”

 

“That BREAKS your THUMB PARTNER!" Panthera screeched, shaking her by the shoulders rapidly. "TUCKING YOUR THUMB IN BREAKS YOUR THUMB IF YOU PUNCH! DON'T BE LIKE ME DURING ROBUSTUS!"

 

“WHAT?!” Ladybug sputtered, "I THOUGHT IT WOULD LIKE- PROTECT THE THUMB!"

 

"What!? N-NO!" Rena cried out, "GIRL EVEN I KNOW NOW TO DO THAT, HOW- HAVE YOU BEEN DOING THIS THE ENTIRE TIME!?"

 

"YES!?"

 

“Here here-" Panthera stumbled backwards as she pulled Ladybug's thumb out from under her fingers and and aggressively patted her own stomach. She flexed a little in preparation but she was fully letting herself be open. "J-just- just punch me, Partner, look, fixed hand, punch me”

 

"Are you sure?"

 

"Yes punch me."

 

Ladybug reeled her hand back warily, and threw a harsh haymaker into Panthera's stomach. She let out a light grunt, stepping back a moment before nodding. That hurt, but an improvement!

 

“Ow. Good.” Panthera nodded with delight. "That was a good punch, partner!"

 

“DID THAT HURT YOU?! OH MY GOD WHY WOULD YOU MAKE ME HURT YOU!” Ladybug shrieked with horror.

 

“You're very strong!” She smiled. "Now you can actually do damage without your yo-yo! Being able to improvise without a weapon is important, got that Rena?"

 

"Yup!" Rena held up a thumbs up.

 

“Well- I-" Ladybug seemed to process that, and pouted with embaressment. "Look not everyone knows how to fight okay.”

 

“It’s been months, Red.” Panthera stared.

 

“We’re kids!" Ladybug sputtered, raising her hands defensively, "Like, who actually know how to do a proper fist!?”

 

“A lot of people, look, Rouge, how do you do a fist.” The cat turned to the fox.

 

“Like this.” She held up a proper fist. SEE IT WASN'T THAT HARD-

 

"OKAY WELL YOU SAW TODAY SO-" Ladybug began, Rena shook her head.

 

“Nah Ladybug- My sister taught me basic self defense.” Rena said correctively. That made Juleka's ears perk up with a quiet excitement. Does that mean she's safe to spar? Oh man, this makes training her even more fun.! I can't wait to see how she fights hand to hand.!

 

“Well what about YOU?!” Ladybug shot her back to attention, Panthera stared at her.

 

“Me ma." She answered plainly with a shrug. She awkwardly scratched behind her head, her ears lowering. "She helps me work out. And taught me how to fight an' stuff. Working out helps with anxiety, apparently."

 

“Y-You work out outside of hero work?” Ladybug's eyes widened. I feel like I mentioned that, did I? I might have bad memory. Juleka thought a bit.

 

“What’s your mom like?” Rena butt in, her eyes shining like two glittering amethyst stones. Juleka tilted her head, eyebrows furrowing. The look was, familiar. And it felt too mischievous. 

 

“Why? Trying to snag her number?" Panthera snipped at her carefully, "Don’t even think about it.”

 

“Why?" Rena rose an eyebrow, a low wirily smile went across her lips. Her hands planted at her hips as she began to drag herself closer. "Why you worried, Kitty? Is she hawt? Is she a milf? Is your mama a milf?”

 

“CLASSIFIED-" Panthera bristled, she crossed her arms tightly and looked away. Her voice low and grunted. "-Classified. Information.”

 

“SHE IS! SHE IS! THAT'S DENIAL THAT MEANS HER MOM IS A MILF-"

 

Her and Ladybug's weapons suddenly started beeping. A brief savior to Panthera's madness event though her face was already colored beet red.

 

"The news!" Rena gasped, Juleka squeaked as the fox hero peaked over her shoulder. Her violet eyes then squinted, head spinning to look at the two 'pro' heroes. "Wait you guys can use the internet on those?"

 

"Don't be bemused it's just the news!"

 

"The zoo? Oh shit my dad- is- uh visiting- there- oh no!" Rena gasped, her eyes wide with terror. Ladybug glanced at her before taking a small poke at Panthera. "Hey Kitty I wonder if we'll find any Cougars there..~" 

 

“THATS IT NOW I HATE YOU BOTH YOU CAN HOMOEROTICALLY FIGHT WITHOUT ME" Juleka shouted, waving her arms about as her face turned beet red. Her head was exploding. Absolutely exploding. "I’M GOING TO GRAB THOSE ANIMALS THEN NOW BUH-BYE!-"

 

"WAIT WHA- PANTHERA WAIT UP! WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING THIS TOGETHER!"

 

"CAN WE PLEASE ACTUALLY SPAR NEXT TIME"

 

...

 

"Nice job guys!" Ladybug smiled.

 

"I got to pet so many kitties," Panthera murmured in a trance, her smile all soft and gooey. She'd been barraged during the little 'attack' by many of the big cats at the zoo. They nearly had a heart attack until they heard the many chuffs and purrs let out. "So many big kitties,"

 

"Dork." Marinette chuckled.

 

"Dawhhh~" Rena giggled beside her. Marinette gazed at her warmly as she saw that signature smile across her face, her hands planted on her hips. "Your kitty is just a cuddle bug on the inside ain't she?"

 

"Sure is." Ladybug said with a giggle. "Biggest cuddle bug in all of Paris! Or- I suppose cuddle kitty"

 

"Oi. I hear you two talking behind me back." Panthera grunted, staring behind her with a glare. The two giggled at her, as her arms crossed even more. Her pout was not helping her pride whatsoever. "Stop that."

 

"Oh kitty you-" A beeping sound invaded them and they both glanced at Alya. The fox hero smiled sheepishly as she waved her pendent around. 

 

"Sorry guys! My time's up- Ladybug?" Rena looked to Marinette expectantly. Her smile fell for a moment and Panthera clicked her tongue.

 

"It'd be easier if she was a permanent hero~" She sang a big condescendingly. Ladybug's eyebrows furrowed. No. No it wouldn't. Master Fu directed her very specifically not to. And she trusted him. He was their only guide. "Also if I maaabye knew her identityyy, paaartneer~..?"

 

"I have to get her Miraculous back, kitty. You know the rules." Ladybug began, much to Rena's confusion and interest. Panthera had her full attention on her as Ladybug gestured to Rena to start moving. Her eyes darted away, she didn't want to see Panthera sad though.

 

Hmm.. What harm would it do to give her a bit of soft hope. It'd be worse to tell her the truth and just break her heart.

 

"But um, I'll talk to him!" Ladybug smiled, waving a hand, "I promise!"

 

She could hear Panthera sigh with relief.

 

"Thank you, Partner," The cat hero said, light and prickling over Marinette's skin. Ladybug let herself look at Panthera then, smiling.

 

"I'll see ya, kitty!" Rena Rouge waved excitedly, as the two girls darted away from the cat hero. Who turned away from them and leapt her ways away. Marinette felt a tug at her chest. A feeling of, a turning guilt within her. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to Actually talk to him.

 

She was curious about what he'd at least say. She supposed this was her fuel, but Marinette wasn't sure if she'd ever tell Panthera that she was being a bit foolish here. She didn't want to hurt her feelings after all. 

 

Alya pressed the fox miraculous into her hand, blinking her out of her thoughts.

 

"We can do this again whenever you want, Lady-" Alya said, before her phone began to ring. She glanced at it and her eyes bugged out comically. "Oh! Shit! The movie! Can't be late! Later Ladybug!"

 

"Later, Alya," Ladybug waved kindly as she watched her friend run away. Thinking hard, she decided what she'd do. She detransformed with a quick flash of light, and ran in the opposite direction. To Master Fu's.

 

She made it there in quick time, and when she returned the fox miraculous, it seemed Master Fu already had an idea what was going on..

 

"Perfect." He said with a smile, he closed the miracle box and as he placed it back into the gramophone, he continued. "Now come and tell me what's bothering you, Marinette. I feel a disorder within you."

 

"Oh well," Marinette began hesitantly, as Master Fu began walking out of the room, motioning her to follow. "Well you see-"

 

Suddenly Master Fu turned and stared at the kwami behind them.

 

"Not you two, don't think I can't see you trying to follow." The guardian rose an eyebrow in a gentle huff. Wayzz and Tikki held up the paws.

 

"Oh master please!" They both sang with tilted heads. Marinette's heart nearly burst as the two kwami looked cutely up at her but Master Fu, an expert of his control, powered through it ruthlessly, the only way one could against the two menaces.

 

"Kwamis must never know the recipe that can modify their powers." Master Fu said, waving a finger at them. "With that boundless knowledge, do imagine what would happen if one of you were captured by a villain, just like Hawk Moth's kwami, Nooroo. And you were ordered to tell them information!"

 

Wayzz and Tikki squeaked, quickly flying away into some nook in the room. Marinette blinked. Modify powers?

 

"Come now, Marinette." Master Fu said, "I believe I've added more questions to your bundle?"

 

Marinette stared at him.

 

"I still don't get how you know things." She huffed.

 

"I'm two hundred, now come on,"

 

They moved on to a different part of the old master's shop. Though, it looked more like a dismantled kitchen. With different and strange things hanging from the ceilings, with brewery stands, bowls, and pots of so many unimaginable things that the whole mason jar of bugs Master Fu was hulking around didn't feel odd.

 

"So Marinette," He hummed, "Your thoughts?"

 

"Oh well, Panthera Noire, she wants to make Rena Rouge permanent. And she's implying she wants any future heroes to be permanent too." Marinette said, wringing her hands together with a nervous glance. "I was wondering.. maybe.."

 

"I could hear you out so you may stop lying to her?" Master Fu looked up at her. Marinette's eyebrows furrowed.

 

"Well I wouldn't say I'm lying, but well, I guess-"

 

"Tell me, Marinette; do you put the noodles in the water before the water boils?" Master Fu asked cryptically. Marinette thought on that. Well.. the water splashes, true, but mom and dad told me not to cause the noodles might get a bit messed up so...

 

"N- No I guess not.." Marinette concluded, trying to catch where he was going before looking away as he began to- oh god- crunch the bugs with a mortar and pestle. 

 

"Right Marinette, you don't." Master Fu said, looking up at her. "Because there's a right time for everything. Coming in too late means you can't reverse the problem and cause a splatter, and jumping the gun too early can cause future problems. Marinette, the miraculouses are as equally dangerous as they are of value. I taught you about the other powers of the miraculouses within the box, no?"

 

"You have." Marinette nodded. It cost her a homework day but the rabbit hole of the powers was irresistible to not know.

 

"The kwami, without the right type of protection and watch, can cause unsurmountable amounts of harm. Not because they are of malice but because they are inhuman, and simply do not understand." Master Fu continued. "Not only that, but the risk of letting any miraculous in the world is.. very high. For it to be stolen, misused, to corrupt the user beyond reproach, it is not unlikely, as we can see with Hawkmoth..."

 

He moved to the counter as he finished his grinding and came to the whistling kettle that had begin to rise in it's shriek.

 

"I trust you to give these out to the people you trust, but both the kwami and the holders you chose are safer if we hold onto the miraculouses for now, and regulate the powers that be, those powers being the miraculi, of course." Master Fu said, pouring a cup of tea for the both of them and passing her one. "Panthera want's to make changes now, but give time, perhaps one day the heroes you choose will fight alongside you full time. But not now because-"

 

"-There's a right time for everything. I understand." Marinette nodded, holding the tea. Panthera can't know about this... I feel like she'll just be mad.. but since Master Fu said there's an If they can be permanent, then it shouldn't be too bad I tell her that possibility.

 

The stakes Master Fu said though, perhaps they shouldn't be permanent at all though.. Marinette thought. I can't imagine either Panthera or Rena getting hurt...

 

She looked down at her tea and squinted at it. She took a sniff and she tried not to cringe at the smell. It smelt like mom's weird teas she kept buying for a season claiming it's wild affects like helping Marinette grow taller or smarter. Nah it just tasted gross. So she decided to pass on the tea, and turn to what Master Fu was returning to doing.

 

"Uh, what are you cooking exactly?" Marinette asked. Master Fu smiled.

 

"When fed with a specific blend of ingredients, the kwamis can grant special power! A 'power up' if that makes sense. A bonus. I found it within the grimoire." He answered, excitedly making Marinette's interest raise. "And I believe I've figured out the last component to a very specific one!"

 

...

 

"Jules!" Rose waved excitedly, her hands wrapping around Juleka's as the goth made her way to the front of the theatre. "Come on come on come on!"

 

"I'm coming on- I'm coming on- I got caught up in that zoo break thing, Rose, give me a sec, running is tiring-" Juleka laughed lightly as Rose dragged her inside past Max and Kim. Rose squealed. She couldn't contain herself.

 

Rose was so excited. Now, she'd rather watch something, like, horror movie wise. Horror was her favorite genre; It made her squeal, getting excited and riled up to the toes to the tips of her hair in a mixture of disgust and enrapture by the fictional fucked up-ery. But! She was always down for a good wacky Kaiju movie. 

 

And it was Mecha Monkey vs. Cyber Shark 3! The threequel everyone has been waiting for ever since the last Mecha Monkey vs Cyber Shark ended on a really weird tie that involved Giant Beetle. And also Mecha Monkey had some like, weird looking child?

 

Then again, they were all still played by people back then cause it was like, in the 70's or something- BUT NEVER MIND THAT! SHE WAS HYPED COME ON! Everyone was after those new individual Mecha Monkey and Cyber Shark movie revivals. Okay maybe she liked these type of movies a lot too.

 

What made her really happy though, was that she got to share this movie experience with her class, and, while she wouldn't admit it- she was More Importantly sharing the movie experience with her girlfriend..!

 

Rose gave a look over her shoulder, her smiled practically glued onto her face as Juleka looked down at her. Her face lit delicately by the dim hazy gold lights of the theatre. She really should be a model. Rose thought lovingly.

 

And her reasoning wasn't just sitting at the fact she simped hard for Juleka but genuinely, her Jules was beautiful. She could wear a trash bag and it'd look amazing. Though, Juleka would never believe that. They were working on her self confidence, together. It was a process, they were making progress it's shshshshsh it's fine.

 

"You excited?" Juleka smiled, she was so happy to see her, but something about her looked so exhausted. Right, she was caught up in the zoo thing.

 

"Mm! I get to spend time with you after all!" Rose squealed. "I think Alix bought popcorn too!"

 

"Ooh, movie theatre popcorn is real good, mm and it smells good too~" Juleka hummed to herself with delight, making a lil dramatic show of it. Rose giggled. 

 

"Sure is, probably unhealthy though." Rose said.

 

"Oh no, it absolutely is." Juleka stopped to smile at her before making a dramatic hand flourish. "That's why it tastes so good."

 

"Hehe! Yeah!" Rose giggled.

 

Rose took Juleka's hand once more and in the dark of the theatre, she led the goth to their seats, where some of their friends were waiting. Ivan and Mylene couldn't make it, Marinette and Alya seemed to be missing, or at least a little late, but who was there was Nino, Alix, Max, and Kim. Bustled together like sardines in a tin.

 

"Hey guys!"

 

"Shh! You missed some of the commercials!" Alix said, waving them down next to her. "They're making a new Knightowl movie! And it looks real edgy! The guy from the Twilight movies is playing Knightowl!"

 

"Can't be worse than Knightowl v Majestia." Juleka snorted lowly as the couple sat down. Rose giggled. "That one was so bad. Like, and then they shoved Doctor Armageddon at the end? So bad. And they never include Sparrow in like, any movie, what's up with that."

 

"I'm sure the new movie should be good!" Rose smiled. Her eyebrows furrowed before a much longer smile went across her face. She tilted her head innocently at her girlfriend. "Besides, you like Twilight, Jules."

 

"I don't." Juleka turned her head away with a pout.

 

"You watched them with me." Rose tease, poking at Juleka's ribs.

 

"You can't prove it." Juleka snapped slightly at her making Rose snort.

 

"Am I watching the beginnings of a divorce?" Alix snickered to herself. Juleka and Rose stared at her hard making the skater shift a little awkwardly, before looking up. "Oh look, there's Alya and Marinette."

 

The group waved wildly at the two girls who were scooting their way through the darkening theatre. Rose giggled as Marinette whispered apologies before blinking with surprise as she saw Juleka just looking at her. A small smile on the goth's face.

 

"What?" Rose asked curiously. Juleka smiled, her face looked so tired but her expression was so warm and full of love.

 

"I love you, that's all" Juleka whispered. Rose's face heated up as Alya and Marinette sat down. The last of the commercials faded to black and Rose squealed. This was so exciting- Alix better share her popcorn with her and Juleka- but that joy of that day had been squeezed out of her on those few seconds of peace- when the first screams were heard.

 

The people at the front had started to jump from their chairs and run, then the next row behind them, and the next. Running up the stairs and to the back. Rose's head swiveled around and her hand found Juleka's immediately. 

 

"What's going on?!" Marinette cried out before gasping. She was a row in front of them so whatever had hit the others had hit her first, but it wasn't long before Rose felt her shoes suddenly become wet.

 

It suddenly reached her ankles as the people around her began to stand and Rose squeaked, lifting her feet onto her seat with fear. Water was rising. Water was rising fast, and soon she too was standing on top of her chair with fear. Her hand was squeezing tight to the pillar Juleka had become in seconds.

 

"WHAT THE SHIT!" Alix shouted. "WHAT THE FUCK! WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!?"

 

They all turned as they heard a large thud at the door. A young man was trying to open the doors of the theatre, his knees soaking indicating he was one of the front row watchers, but they burst open for him, letting in a sudden wave of water flooding down the stairs. The theatre screamed and Rose clung closer to Juleka who had barely made a single sound the entire time.

 

"Okaaay.. Who left the faucet running..?" Alya asked behind Rose. Alix turned and glared at the blogger but Marinette took sudden action, pointing downwards.

 

"The stairs! Quick!" Marinette shouted.

 

The water was rising faster and their opening to get through the door was closing bit by bit. It was a struggle to even get off the seats as the water began rising to her hips- and wading through water for others would become swimming through it for her and Alix.

 

"Jules come on!" Rose exclaimed but a simple pull became a harsh, stagnant, tug. She turned and she fully looked at Juleka's face and- and-

 

Her face was dull, pale, sickly, terrified. She'd never- what was this expression that felt so cold and lifeless? Juleka's eyes darted around and her breathing was haggered and shaking. Wheezing and wavering as each terrified scream seemed to shake the girl more. 

 

Rose's eyes widened but suddenly Alix shoved them both forward. The skater was soaking wet as panic bled with frustration.

 

"HURRY UP YOU TWO, GO!" Alix shouted.

 

Juleka was a ragdoll in her hands, she'd walk, she'd wade- but she wasn't there. No, no no, she wasn't there. Her eyes were wide, stricken, and dull. What was wrong. What happened. What was this. When they got through the door, Rose gripped hard as her foot met stair and she pulled them both out of the rising water.

 

Alix ducked into the stairway behind them as well, coughing as a bit of water went into her breath.

 

"Fuckin' salty! What the fuck!" Alix spat, clinging to one of the rails.

 

"Hurry up!"

 

"Everybody run!"

 

Rose turned to Juleka but even as she hit 'dry' land, her eyes were still wide and far. Rose reached a hand and combed her cheek, wet with some splashes of water and Juleka reacted with a harsh jump of fear, copper eyes meeting hers.

 

"Jules, please, we gotta keep moving-!" Rose plead to her. Even as questions flooded her mind, all she could do was plead. "Come on, just hold my hand, I don't know- just- keep running okay? I've got you-"

 

"Guys hurry!" Kim shouted, looking down at them a few steps up. He stared at Juleka with confused wide eyes, "Here, let me help-"

 

Marinette was diverting people to the roof with Alya, and Juleka had barely processed their presence as she ran beside Rose, halfway glued to Kim's arm as her legs stumbled to walk despite the sudden instinct in her to run, to escape, to just go. 

 

This was, a new side of Juleka.

 

And that frightened Rose, for she thought she knew every part of her.

 

When they reached the roof, Rose thought it'd be better. She should've known it'd be so much worse. Juleka let out a mortified gasp as they breached fresh air, hand clasping over her chest as if she was trying to wrangle her heartbeat. Rose looked up at her as Juleka was broken from her silent stupor to just stare with horror.

 

"Oh god," Juleka whispered, "Jesus fuck,"

 

All of Paris had been flooded to the roofs of it's buildings. It screamed itself as a desolate plane. Rose's heart beat out of her chest as she could see people on top of buildings, swimming helplessly upon floating objects-

 

Ponyo made the water apocalypse look too beautiful for something so hauntingly terrifying. Her fingers reached to find Juleka's but the girl had stumbled to her knees, muttering in a rush.

 

"Jules," Rose knelt beside her, eyes wide with surprise. She reached her hands slowly to her but Juleka was curled in a ball. She couldn't even understand what she was saying. She usually could. Was this another language? What was.. "Are you-"

 

"Shit! All our phones are all water logged, can't call for help." Alya cursed out loud, shaking her soaked phone that refused to turn on. "I hope Ladybug can fix our shit, I got like, a Library of Alexandria worth of shit I forgot to load onto my computer- oh wait that's probably flooded too."

 

"My circuits are sensitive to water..!" Markov cried out with fear, catching Rose's attention again as she stood up to see Kim rushing at the water, cackling before taking a whole, fully clothed, nose dive into the new Ocean of Paris. Juleka shakily stood up beside her, but only at the corner of her eye did Rose see her stepping away-

 

"Kim what are you doing you idiot!?" Alix shouted, leaning over the rail with Max and Markov.

 

"Come on, guys! I can teach you to swim in two seconds flat, Markov!" Kim shouted out to the rest of them, treading water like a pro, splashing about. "You just put your arms like this, then you push your legs, and it's kind of like being a frog, you see. In fact, it helps to think as a frog, too, you know and-"

 

Perhaps the bright pink fin cutting through the water like Jaws' new phase should've been a warning to what happened next, as suddenly a muscular form leapt out from the depths. Skin a flushed permanent pink, teeth sharp and dagger like- pulled into an excited smile, and horns rising about three inches from her head- a mermaid like akuma burst from the water and dragged Kim underneath the waves- leaving only enough room for him to yelp.

 

"KIM!" Max shrieked with horror, nearly jumping over the edge of the roof too if not for Rose and Markov yanking him back. The others gasped, running to the edge of the roof with them as they looked over the surface of the water. It was too dark. At least Paris was getting a deep wash today?

 

Rose was just impressed by how she didn't see any dead bodies floating around, not that she was hoping for any. Also, how come there was so many fish?!

 

"Oh god oh god oh god." Max fretted, clutching his head anxiously. "What if he's dead, WHAT IF HE'S DEAD!"

 

"Calm down, Max! Breath with me, okay?" Rose exclaimed, focusing the programmer to her attention and holding her fingers up. "Inhale- one, two, three, four- Exhale- one, two, three, four- good job- Hey Juleka could you- Jules? Jules?"

 

Rose turned away from Max who had began counting his breaths with Markov who was holding up a digital counter for him as her eyes dragged over the roof.

 

No.

 

No.

 

Where was...

 

"Jules- Juleka?" Rose looked around, her voice suddenly breaking. A sudden fear struck into her as her friends were shouting over the roof and she stumbled around aimlessly. Her eyes widened. "J-Juleka? Where did- where did- where did she-"

 

But there was no one there.

 

Rose, found herself, terrifyingly, alone.

 

"AHOY MATEYS!"

 

The liberty had been passing over the great new lake of All Of Paris, picking up stranded people and welcoming them aboard the Galleon. It became a safe haven of snacks, towels, and comfort in the disaster occurring but to friends, to Rose, it seemed to be just the plain ol' Liberty, seemingly ready for anything.

 

Rose's legs wobbled as she walked over with the stranded movie theatre patrons. Where is.. Where is..

 

"Get on get on, lads, and lasses. The Liberty is open to anyone- right now that is!" Anarka welcomed the people stranded on the roof top aboard. But there was a specific target in their eye. A specific girl who went to the movies that day. And they targeted her date there.

 

"Rose." Luka whispered as she climbed aboard, and she was hoping for, something. Something that wasn't what he said next. She was hoping for a reassurance. A 'Juleka is right aboard' or, 'Rose wake up it's tuesday and you forgot to take your meds' or, just, anything. But there was none of that. Only four haunting words. "Where, where is Juleka?"

 

"She-" Rose began but her words were lost against her lips. She wasn't with them. She was somewhere she didn't know. "I- I don't.."

 

"Is Juleka not with us? Huh, she isn't," Alix looked around confusedly behind her. "She must've disappeared around the time Kim did. I saw her on the roof with us and then... poof. That's weird."

 

"Oh no," Luka's voice fell as they climbed past him, his eyes shot with horror and nearly a bitter anger. "Oh no, god, fucking- fuck-"

 

"W-what's wrong? What's wrong? Is something wrong?" Alix's head swiveled between them. Luka squinted at the skater before Rose took the musician's hand, shakily.

 

"L-Luka?" Rose whispered. "Is there, something I need to know?"

 

Luka stared at her for a long, long moment. He took a look at Alix and her but...

 

"Just, get on board." Luka said thinly, rubbing the space between his eyes tiredly. His voice drawn out and full of an exhausted drag. "We've got food and snacks and.."

 

"And we'll talk later right? You'll tell me what's going on with Jules?" Rose asked weakly, but, Luka did not answer. He just stared outwards across the flooded Paris, and when he whispered horrible nothings into his mom's ear, causing the captain's face to run a horrified haunted white-

 

Rose felt more lost than ever.

 

What was she being left out of?

 

...

 

Juleka looked over her shoulder one last time before slinkign down on the roof she was hiding behind. She was soaking head to toe. Her clothes, that she had so delicately chosen for the exciting movie day, now stuck to her skin, soggy, and uncomfortable. Juleka pulled her knees in, resting her chin down.

 

"Fuck," She sighed, her hands weaved into her hair and tugged painfully at it. Her voice shuddered with every gasp and breath. Juleka looked tiredly up at Plagg who had escaped her hair and began floating above her. "I-I don't want to do this, Plagg.. I don't wanna- I don't wanna do this.."

 

"You don't gotta, kitten." Plagg said immediately. His eyes were endlessly green. They did not betray his exterior he wanted, but the way his voice came quick, perhaps that's what did him in on what he truly felt. "We can just sit here, where it's safe. Or we can go back to Rose. She's safe too, remember? She's safe?"

 

"N-No no, I gotta, I gotta do this." Juleka tried to stand, her eyes stricken wide and darting over the dizzying blue world. Her knees wobbled beneath her. "B-But I gotta do this.."

 

"But you don't." Plagg argued, he flew in her way making her sit back down, her hands rid up her bicep anxiously. She didn't realize her nails had begun to dig deep into her skin. Going up, then down- and- 

 

"Ladybug needs Panthera out there. Paris need's Panthera out there.." Juleka reasoned weakly, like a deep wince had cut through her. Plagg stared at her then glanced down at the her arms.

 

Juleka blinked down and noticed the sting of pain from how she was digging her nails hard into her skin and raking up and down up and down in the stress that was catching her up in the throat and it was hard to stop and the pain was distracting from the water lapping at her shoes and the water and the water and the-

 

Plagg put a paw on her ring finger and pulled her shaky hand away from herself to may eye contact with her.

 

"Ladybug Smadybug-" Plagg said in his raspy tone, puffing out his chest and tapping it. "Cheese doesn't mold immediately, even in such a wet situation! That means Juleka has time to breathe. Tell me what's wrong I'm quite the expert on problems! I've been called Doctor Plagg you know!"

 

"N-no one's called you that." Juleka lightly chuckled, before her voice died. Plagg's eyes were wide like dish plates, and yet, even more so paper thin. His void-like fur standing on end. Is he worried, for me? It stunned her. Juleka's face fell as she held herself. "I gotta, though. It's my duty. I can't- I can't let this stupid.. fucking.. panic attack thing.. just take over. If... If I stop this akuma fast, then, the faster this'll all be over, r-right?"

 

It was logic but she needed that validation. That validation if she did these things she'd be okay. That she'd be safe. That- that- that...

 

"You're not wrong there." Plagg drawled. Thank you. He stared at her. "You're breathing funny."

 

"I-It- it happens.?" Juleka croaked hesitantly, Plagg flew closer to her. His eyes were searching her before his ears drooped.

 

"Kitten, I've known you for the better half of a year now. But... these things.. they've been popping up recently. The cheese is beginning to stink up the can, what's up with you?" Plagg asked, his small kitty eyebrows furrowing. Juleka gulped hard. "You wouldn't mind tellin' stinky ol' Plagg would you.?"

 

"Just..." Juleka stiffened as her words suddenly froze to her tongue. She gripped her arms hard, like a tight self-hug. A grasp for some stable hold upon herself, physically and mentally. A plead for warmth her body made for herself, despite the shiver she was in. "...somethin' old, sneakin' up on me again."

 

Plagg's ear twitched, before crossing his arms.

 

"Well! Fine! I'll take that as an answer!" Plagg huffed, before raising his eyebrow at her, a glint of something, sadder, or warmer filling it. "..B-Buuuuuuuut... if you... perhaps...You know... needed something for this situation... I can't promise it'll help the most buuuut... the staff can double as a breathing apparatus."

 

"A- A what?" Juleka tilted her head. Plagg waved a paw.

 

"You know... just something you can use to breath underwater, don't thank me, it wasn't for you, it's been around since Black Beard. Whatever whatever." Plagg yawned apathetically, trying to not meet her eyes his ear twitched. He glanced at her in case she was staring. "You won't be able to use your staff but.. you know- agH-"

 

Juleka pulled the small cat kwami close and brought him to his cheek for a light weak nuzzle. The best she could do for a hug. Plagg froze against her but for a beat of a moment, he returned it. And she could feel him rumble with a purr.

 

"A-alright alright!" Plagg said, waving his paws at her sassily. "You owe me SPECIAL camembert after this! Hurry now! Let's get this awful sea-nightmare over with! You know cats don't like water!"

 

"C-couldn't agree more! Let's- a-ah-" Juleka chuckled, trying to stand before she let out a squeak. Her legs had nearly given in just by the simple act. Oh. H-hah- her knees were.. so wobblily. Plagg gave her a concerned look but she gave a weak thumbs up. Focus.. focus.. get over yourself... She reprimanded herself painfully as she gripped her ring tight. "Plagg claws out.!" 

 

That first inhale of air always felt, so much crisper for some reason, when she transformed. Juleka's eyes blinked open and she held tight to her staff. Her claws firmly gripped around the cool metal as her mind spun.

 

As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. 

 

Juleka clicked the staff into her mouth and she took a breath, making sure she wasn't just breathing through her nose, and, she could breath. 

 

She slipped into the water, and hesitantly plunged her head in. It was cold, but also warm. Like the suit was protecting her from the freeze but it wasn't perfect. She took in a deep breath- and air. Panthera was breathing air. Somehow. She nearly smiled with glee as the salty water stung at her eyes and blurred her vision before she choked and had to burst from the water once more to let out a hack of water she breathed in.

 

"F-fugchk-" Juleka wheezed, wiping her jaw a little. As if it did anything since her hand was wet too. "The staff isn' the best to bite down on, I'll have to be careful.."

 

As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. She reminded herself.

 

Get this done.

 

She fully submerged herself in water. The chill ever surprising her once again as she dipped within the depths. Panthera's eyes burned rom the salty sting hitting her eyes, but she only fretted so little. It's blur to her vision wasn't too intense- though-

 

Juleka watched as a large school of piranhas passed by her. Juleka ducked behind a car, biting hard on her staff. Her eyes followed the shoal in a mixture of confusion and awe. What in the.. aren't piranhas.. that makes no sense.. I don't think.. piranhas live in salt water. Nor do any French Aquariums have any that I know of... but even so. Those shouldn't be alive- FUCK-

 

Words couldn't quite describe how it felt to thrash in water without being able to move as fast as you wished. Water slowed you down. It brought a sluggish weight to every movement you wanted. You were in slow motion while the world spun around you in waves of blinding bubbles and the rays of golden light peaking through the surface.

 

Still though, Juleka managed to dodge underneath a hammerhead that tried to charge into her. It's body once a grey blur before it's form sharpened and sharpened until she was a bubble away from becoming fish food-

 

She nearly screamed but the will Panthera forced upon herself to keep her teeth bitten down on her staff- As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine -and she stared upwards as the hammerhead had crashed through the window of the car and began thrashing as shards of little bits of glass flew everywhere.

 

Panthera didn't waste time and tried to push the shark the rest of the way through so it wouldn't be stuck, so she could open the door. She didn't want to drag the shark backwards and rake it's sensitive stomach with the glass. But still, it made no sense. Seriously, there was like a whole city between Paris and the ocean so why-

 

Panthera shoved the shark all the way in and yanked the metal door off of the submerged shark. The hammerhead darted past her in a hurry and that's when Panthera squinted and saw it. 

 

Ripped off of the shark within it's charge through the window, had been articles of clothing that had latched onto it's fines and body. And when the shark had passed, the pair of glasses flying off of it's oblong head. Human clothing. 

 

Panthera realized why there weren't any drowned bodies around. If you drowned here. You didn't just die. You were turned into something inhuman. And it scared her.

 

She decided she needed to find the akuma, now. Now. Now.

 

As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine-

 

Panthera swam around a corner, squinting as her hair swished over her eyes and she had to fumbly pulling the floating strands away from her face before her blurry eyes widened. Was that...

 

His voice was muffled through the water but she could hear him, and for the other voice, it was loud and clear. Echoing and humming through the water like a vibration that rumbled into her bones. 

 

"This is amazing! I can breathe underwater, just like a fish!"

 

"I knew you'd love it, and I've got lots of other surprises for you, you'll see, Kim. I have so many things to show you. So many things I know you'll love!" The akuma's voice came along. Panthera's eyes squinted hard, stinging. She was this, large pink and black blob and Kim was a red blob. 

 

I need to get her out of water somehow... Juleka thought, trying to swim closer. Maybe if I use my staff I can-

 

She reached down to her belt before realizing. Fuck. I can't use it. It's the only thing keeping me from...

 

Panthera thought hard, trying to control her breathing as she circled through her fighting strategies in her mind. Fighting with my staff would greatly improve my ability due to the fast my movements are much more sluggish and I'm not in the right environment. I can't see. But if I use my staff, I can't breathe. I could hold my breath sure but if she hits Me then that can knock the breath out of me and also and also and also and also and also-

 

Her eyes widened as a distinct swish reached her ears. Juleka quickly wretched a fence from the ground and dragged it in front of her. She let out a choke of fright as her body was slammed down against a floating bus that had floated, crashed, into a light pole, and held her there. Thin hot pink eyes bore into her, burning, glowing, and wild. Syren was pushing down on her with a piece of rebar metal.

 

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!?" The akuma snarled, her teeth needlelike as she spat into Panthera's ears. She was about to speak but she gripped her teeth hard around her staff, trying to take deep, steady breaths. But her heart was thudding through her chest.

 

And Syren could hear it.

 

As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine-

 

Panthera grimaced, trying to lift the fence that was once her shield which had quickly become a hard cage against her torso- but it was heavy. So heavy. And she couldn't push against it. Not with her feeble kicking and her pushing. Syren's grimace twitched upwards in her spiraling vision, one claw raising upwards before another splash hit their ears.

 

The mermaid spun around like a wild animal, her tail nearly smacking into Panthera's face. Panthera lifted her head out from the broken fence's dent and saw a familiar red spotted blur beginning to reel a very confused Kim-blob.

 

"DON'T TOUCH MY FUCKING PRINCE!" Syren snarled. This was reminding her of something and Juleka didn't like it. Panthera grimaced and kicked the fence off of her, slamming it into Syren's back. The akuma let out a yell as Panthera launched forward off of the bus's back and onto her scaley, muscled form as Ladybug struggled to grab Kim. PARTNER GET HIM GET HIM GET HIM-

 

Panthera had never fished before, nor did she ever want to. However her mother was a pirate, and she had seen many a-tales and videos of people pulling out monsters from the depths and being absolutely overtaken by their sheer strength. Fish were usually pretty much just a whole body of pure muscle.

 

So Juleka should've expected the worst when she grappled onto the back of a giant one, with arms. And blood lust.

 

"GET! OFF! OF! ME! YOU! MANGY! CAT!" Syren thrashed around, Panthera barely holding on around her waist as she was thrown around, slamming and scraped against walls and cement. Her hair tangling over her eyes and the salt burning even more. Pan-Panth-Juleka. Juleka. Juleka was so scared. She just held on tight. She wasn't even dragging her down but she had to hold onto something. "I! HAVE! TO! GET! TO! ME! PRINCE-! AAAGRH!"

 

Syren clenched her fist and slammed down on Panthera's face. Panthera let out a cry as a blooming pain split across her eyebrow. Her grip around the akuma's waist weakened and the mermaid girl slapped her off of her with a painful slam to the torso via her powerful tail.

 

Panthera took a deep breath-

 

Salt water.

 

-And choked.

 

Her staff gone.

 

HER STAFF WAS GONE.

 

Panthera's mouth was full of water. She let out a strangled cry that only turned to bubbles. Ladybug had finally got Kim in her arms and she reached out towards them, her blurry vision displaying her shaky, dark hand, her strands of hair like inky plucked wisps that clouded her lifeline even more. Swimming, Ladybug looked like she was flying like a sun illuminated angel.

 

And Juleka was falling.

 

And for that momentary spell of sheer shock of what happened, Juleka felt nothing. And then, for the moment after, Juleka felt everything.

 

As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine. As long as you breathe through this you'll be fine-WHEEREISIITWHEREISITWHEREISITWHEREISITWHEREISITII CAN'T BREATHE I CAN'T BREATHE YOU CAN'T FUCKING BREATHE-

 

She clapped her hands over her mouth and when her eyes opened she saw a different sight. And for a second she was somewhere else. So many years...

 

"take a deep breath, julesie,"

 

FUCKING SWIM!

 

Panthera tried to cough the memories out. Some had breathed into her lungs already and her mouth was already full of just salt and water. For a moment, maybe she could hound the ability to cough the water out from her while in the water. Or maybe, she'd have enough time to simply making it to the surface to breathe, but then, a blur of pink sprung at her again. And her hopes drowned with her ability to fight.

 

Sirens drowned sailors. How thorough they were, depended on the adaptation. And this was not the Little Mermaid.

 

Syren slammed into her body. The crrk of two ribs reached Juleka's ringing ears as horn met chest. Syren pulled back and grabbed her by her shoulders. Juleka tried to pry them off but Syren had began shoving her down. Down. DOWN. Bubbles fled her mouth like they too were reaching for the sun like Icarus's ignorant feathers.

 

Don't drown. Don't drown. Don't drown. Don't drown. Don't drown. Don't drown. Don't drown. Don't drown. Don't drown. Don't drown. Don't drown-

 

Juleka tried to kick against her, but her shoes slid against her smooth scaly stomach, and her grip on Syren's wrists were weakening and barely moving her. As her claws dug into her shoulders. Juleka let out a cry. The light was dimming. She was beginning to see familiar spots in her vision. And her lungs.

 

Oh god.

 

Her lungs were burning.

 

And then suddenly, it all released.

 

Syren let out a shrill shriek of rage and Panthera was released. But Juleka couldn't swim. She had barely the strength to. Everything... was so warm.. So.. cold... The sounds of splashing, snarls, and shrieks reached her ears but it was impossible to open her eyes.

 

Arms wrapped around her waist and sudden she was being pulled. Up. Up. Up. Up. Up. Up. Up. She felt the struggled whining of pain from her lifeboat- then-

 

Ladybug let out a gasp of shattering air as they burst from the surface of the water. Juleka's eyes snapped open and she wheezed. Bile and water began to rise from her throat and she felt a deep choke hit her. She let out a gagged cry as a mouthful of water came back up. 

 

Was this what being birthed felt like??? Gross.

 

Juleka continued to wheeze and wretch what felt like her entire pair of burning lugs out, the sting in her eyes felt ever present as her vision continued to blur, and her body slacked in the cold, wet, yet safe hold of Ladybug's arms.

 

"Partner.!" Juleka cried out, her voice waning with discomfort and weak plea. Her eyes squeezed shut. Everything was so bright. Everything ached.

 

"I'm here, kitty, I'm here! Hold on-" Ladybug hissed through her salty lips, as her hand seemed to catch on something pull them aboard something more solid. Ground.

 

The sun had heated the rooftop and it felt like the sun as Ladybug dragged her onto land. Juleka wheezed with pain as Ladybug pressed a hand on her cheek and softly caressed it. Her thumb gently rubbing against it. A soft kiss sparked warmth upon her forehead in a spark of comfort, and Juleka's eyes slowly opened to look up at her.

 

"G-Guess Cat's aren't a fan of water," Ladybug jokingly chuckle, though her laugh was hollow and frightened. She ran a hand through her blue locks anxiously as her eyes scattered over the water's surface. "Ladybug's don't seem to be deep sea divers either. God- and Syren got Kim. We're out of our league in this environment, huh Panthera. ..Panthera? Panthera- oh kitty-"

 

Juleka's eyes were wide, cloudy, and distant, and yet , too aware in it's spiraling, horrified, Panic. Erratic. She wasn't breathing. Or at least it felt like it. Every breath in shuddered a gulp of just cold and every breath out let out a ring of painful haggard coughs. She felt cold. She was shivering. She was wet. It clung uncomfortably to her skin. Her throat burned with pain and she, she, she she she she she she-

 

A hand reached her shoulder making her hiccup. Juleka's eyes slowly dragged upwards, her nails digging deep into her shoulder blades as she shifted to look upwards at Ladybug who who's fingers slowly laced into her's, and pried her hands from herself. You have no idea how much I look up to you. Juleka stared at Marinette's heroic form. And you will never know will you, you're on a different planet than me is how it feels.

 

"How about we see if my Lucky charm helps, alright?" Ladybug smiled, she tried to attempt to catch a smile. "Maybe we'll get a submarine?"

 

Juleka's eyes fell half lidded as she stared up at her.

 

"Mm," Juleka managed, slowly nodding as Ladybug's hands pulled away from her and Panthera held herself uncomfortably. Her hair stuck close to her face and her ears pinned flat against her head. She stared down at her quivering hands.

 

Her body felt egglike. Her limbs hanging like yolk as the Parisian afternoon sun bore deep into her bones and heated the ground around her. A soft red light beamed above her and she slowly looked up to see what fell into Ladybug's hands. Ladybug caught her eye and held up a small, strange bowl with a smile.

 

"A bowl, kitty! We uh, we got a bowl!" Ladybug exclaimed, her lips quivered downwards and she tried to gesture to it. "Um, look's like we can always use it to scoop up the water. It'll just take a long time! Haha-.."

 

Juleka just stared tiredly at her and she attempted to smile, but she found herself too exhausted to. Marinette's face fell and she looked back down at the bowl, confuddled within her mind. Juleka hummed tiredly, her head leaning on Marinette's shoulder.

 

"D-Does," She began, her voice raspy and stinging, but she wanted to try for her. To help. To be strong for her Ladybug. Ladybug perked up at her. "Does it remind you of anything? The bowl? Sometimes.. it's like that, right?"

 

Ladybug's eyes lit up and she looked at the bowl gain before gasping.

 

"Oh Panthera you're right! I know where I've seen this now! I-" Ladybug sprung to her feet wildly and began to take a step forward, before she froze in place. Her body statuette as the flooded Paris glittered before her. Juleka stared up at her confusedly. 

 

"What's wrong, bug?" Juleka rasped, trying to stretch out a shaky smile. Why was Ladybug looking at her like that now. "You should hurry if you know what to do,"

 

"But, leaving you, I-" Ladybug began shakily.

 

"Leave? I can get up partner I promise I- I-" Panthera tried to stand and, oh, oh, why was her knees failing her again. Her eyes so clouded over and stinging with something different. Why was there- oh- tears. "Ah, ow, this kinda hurts, I think my eyes were open too long underwater- fuck, ow, I- I didn't- this, this kinda, sucks- but I promise Ladybug I'm perfect. I'm perfectly fine. I can do it. I can be strong for you I, I,"

 

"Panthera,"

 

"I'm fine partner," She pressed painfully, wiping away her tears hurt. They stung. They cried more. Panthera saw unsureness in her hero's eyes and she chased after her form with a shaky step forward towards her. "Please, believe me. Please. Please, Ladybug."

 

Ladybug stepped away from her, her eyes stricken wide with horror and fear. At what? At who? Whatever she was going to say-.. it never came out. Her eyebrows knitted together with regret and she nodded.

 

"Okay, Panthera, but," Ladybug whispered. But? She turned away. "I'm going, to leave you here for now. I think you need a moment to breath, alright?"

 

"Oh," Juleka whispered, "Okay,"

 

"I'll be back, I promise, kitty," Ladybug said, holding up her hands. "Just, sit tight, alright?" 

 

"Okay," Juleka echoed once more. "Okay,"

 

Ladybug left with a graceful leap through the air and Juleka weakly sat back down, taking off her leather jacket slowly before laying back entirely. The sun spread kisses of hot warmth against her skin, it almost felt like she'd get a sunburn in an ironic twist of what happened before.

 

She felt so small.

 

"Plagg, claws out, please," Juleka murmured, feeling the scorching rush of energy crackle off of her. She slowly sat up once more, though it ached her muscles more now and even more did it leave a wincing pain within her bruised ribs. Her clothes still wet and sticking to her.

 

"We can run away, if you want," Plagg said immediately when he rematerialized. His eyes were wide yet unyielding. "Anything you want, Jules."

 

"She said she'd come back for me," Juleka whispered hollowly, fiddling with her fingers. Her eyebrows furrowed. "Even if she doesn', she might forget that's a'right, I think I should sit here, she'd be sad if she came back and found me gone..."

 

"Ladybug doesn't matter right now!" Plagg exclaimed, waving his paws around. 

 

"I failed her as Panthera" Juleka mumbled, hardly an exhale from her breath as she glanced downwards. "It's the least I can do for her right now.."

 

"Failed?" Plagg stared at her, his eyes wide and stunned. He began shaking his head as he spun away from her, back to her face. "Your brain is melting like cheddar on a hot day, Jules. It's not as good as people say it is I should know I tried it during Pompeii..."

 

"Plagg." Juleka hissed, crossing her arms.

 

"You did everything right." Plagg said, slowly turning his head to face her. His eyes glittered endlessly. Juleka's expression softened. "Ladybug can be disappointed for all I care, but I'll always be proud of you. Because you're Juleka. And who Juleka is; kind, sometimes a dummy but also so very smart, stubborn, and with all the worthwhile baggage- is more special than any finely aged camembert! Or well, close to second. You know I looove-"

 

Juleka stared at him wide eyed before she began to choke.

 

"Ohh shit! Shit! Juleka are you choking on some water!? Oh shit was there still some left!? I don't know if I can do CPR- I don't want to do CPR on you and I don't think you want that either since your taste in cheese is next to nothing which is just sad super sad but- but- oh-" Plagg's eyes softened as Juleka began wiping away more globby tears.

 

"'m sorrey," Juleka croaked, looking up at her kwami warmly. A weak smile upon her cracked lips. "I think I'm gonna be dehydrated after this,"

 

"When we get home, we're gonna shove you into rest mode." Plagg crossed his arms huffily. "You're not allowed to worry about anything and I get to steal from your mom's cheese drawer."

 

"Deal," Juleka whispered, pulling him close to her as he discreetly began to purr against her cheek. 

 

"Hello, Panthera Noire."

 

"FUCK" Juleka wheezed, jumping backwards across the roof as a sudden new voice sprung behind her. She held Plagg protectively against her before her eyes widened when she recognized the old figure. Her face hardened a little but she did her best to sound, gentle. "Hello, old guy."

 

"Master Fu" Plagg greeted with a polite floaty bow. 

 

"Is Ladybug okay?" Juleka immediately asked, stumbling towards him.

 

"She is for now, do not worry. I've gifted her what she needed as signaled by her Lucky charm." Master Fu said kindly. Juleka sighed with relief, though her eyes do not abandon their suspcions.

 

"And you're here in front of me.. because.." Juleka began, raising her eyebrow hesitantly. Master Fu hummed.

 

"Ladybug needs your help, Panthera Noire, but-" Master Fu replied honestly, before holding up his hand. "-She has expressed concern with your well being as a result of this particular akuma today. What is troubling you, child."

 

Juleka winced, staring at him and then downwards at the lapping water. Her heart sank with the waves and she didn't meet his eyes for more than a second each time.

 

"It, just," Juleka began, rubbing the back of her neck with a deep discomfort that boiled and bubbled beneath her skin like ants, crawling and eating each other and her inside out with a conviction of bitterness and spite. Her eyes squinted. "Old, old things. Poppin' up again. Not easy.. but.. I want to help her. I just.. this akuma... I don't feel..."

 

"You will be safe. I promise." Her eyes widened as his old, aged hands- so fragile in the way an old person's hands were, as were the sick- softly pressed vial like object into her hand and closed her fingers over it. "Listen to me, carefully, Miss Juleka"

 

Juleka stared, wide eyed, as his other hand came upon her and gently affirmed her grip, his wrinkled smile soft.

 

"Having panic attacks, Miss Juleka, is not a character flaw." Master Fu spoke very carefully, his voice like a wave as she closed her eyes to listen to him. Each breath like the tide rolling in, and each exhale the tide rolling out. "You are not a coward. You never were one. You have a sickness, child, that is not something to be ashamed about. This will keep you safe. It will not cure you. But it will keep you safe.."

 

His hands released from her shaky palm and she opened her hand, to see the vial within her claws that harbored a glowing vial of something magical. Plagg floated up from his spot where he was once nuzzled close to her neck and he glared bitterly.

 

"AW FUCKIN-" Plagg shouted, throwing up his paws. "I HATE BEING PART FISH, IT SMELLS!"

 

"Pot meet kettle." Wayzz chuckled behind Master Fu, as a new determination flooded through Juleka. She gripped hard to the vial and fiddled it with her claws.

 

"Bottom's up, Plagg." She said, lifting it up to the small monster cat with a new conviction and a sharp toothy grimace.

 

"UGghhh- fine- the things I do for you."

 

...

 

"God damn! I love what you've done with the pool! It's awesome!" Kim exclaimed though his head cocked to the side a little. "But.. I'm not sure I agree on the whole attacking Ladybug and Panthera Noire.."

 

"Oh forget them! I only did it cause they threatened you- focus on the now why don't you~!" Syren exclaimed, swimming around her perfected little throne of the deep to which Kim sat in with a completely un-anxious smile. "This is the pool where the old me tried to pour her heart out to you so many times... how romantic isn't it?"

 

"Really? Me?" Kim sputtered, his eyes wide. A slight blush came to him as he thought over that but, nothing hit him. Girls never found themselves interested in Kim, no matter how hard he tried. The idea someone had a crush on him and tried to express that to him personally multiple times dumb founded him but that made no sense cause- "Uh... I don't think I've never seen a siren at the pool.." 

 

Syren hummed and presented.. something to him. 

 

"Not a siren exactly~"

 

"O-Ondine!?"

 

Ladybug swam deeper behind the many floating chairs and drifting pool floaties that had become the akuma's under water court to her kingdom. Not only could she perfectly breath underwater, but she was faster, more lithe under the waves, and Ladybug could finally sea past the fog and the stinging salt. The power up was perfect.

 

Syren, or just now did Marinette learn, Ondine seemed to be able to sense people very well in the water. So Ladybug had to be careful. Though, it was a bit easier now with her infatuation with Kim.

 

"I'm your Syren now. And you could be my merman.!" Syren sang hopefully. Her eyes deep with emotion as she reached into the bubble, Kim's eyes widening. "A-and it only needs a kiss, and as simple as that, you'll become just like me!"

 

"You mean I could swim as fast as you??" Ladybug ducked downwards and did her best to hide as Syren's eyebrow quirked upward a little before smiling warmly at the jock.

 

"You already swim plenty fast, I've always admired you for that. You made me want to strive to be better and better.. You inspire me, and I've always found you so charming and sweet. People call you dumb, but there's more to you that I understand~" Syren said with a giggle as Kim's face darkened a slight red and he began to lean into her kiss. Ladybug's eyebrows furrowed. I know she's evil right now but this is kinda sweet. "Just one kiss, and you'll be my Prince! And we'll rule this underwater city together, forever!-"

 

"Wait-" Kim paused, making Ladybug freeze from her hiding place. Kim tilted his head with genuine confusion as Syren held his face between her hands. "Does this mean I never get to see Mecha Monkeys vs. Cyber Sharks 3?"

 

Syren swam back in genuine confusion. She was blue screening. Having a Moment TM and just having it blasted by something unexpected was hard to recover from.

 

"I- What?" She began. But before she could form any response.!

 

"Oh, yes you will; don't worry! In fact, you'll probably make it to the next showing!"

 

Syren gasped and twisted around at Ladybug with a rippling snarl. Ladybug smirked above her, showing off her new look. Her blueberry hair had sunk into a deeper blue, then tipped with a pinkish dye with twisted and curled through the water. Her red suit became a more pastel like hue and was glittered with a scale like texture that reminded Marinette of those old Mermaid Dolls from head to toe- which ended with pink flippers that matched the fins sprouted from her arms and her webby like ribbons. 

 

Ladybug smiled down at the enraged akuma. Call her a show off, she liked the compliments.

 

"YOU JERKS! HOW DARE YOU RUIN MY MOMENT!" Syren shrieked. Poor Ondine, she wasn't going to be happy when she heard Hawkmoth made her act like this. Marinette didn't know the girl personally but she hoped this didn't ruin her chances with Kim. Actually, the fish thing might help. Kim had weird taste.

 

Syren charged at her recklessly, pumping through the water with her predator like teeth bare and gnashing before suddenly she was yanked Downwards. Syren let out a yelp as she was sent spinning into a wall and cracking against a pool pillar with enough force to actually send it chipping.

 

"We can even make it a double date, Partner. I can even bring the popcorn too." Panthera Noire purred sharply, her teeth pulled into a shark like smile. Ladybug's eyes widened and she grinned.

 

"Panthera!" Ladybug dived towards her and tackled her into a hug.

 

"I'm alright now, Partner, mostly" Panthera said softly, petting a webbed claw through her hair. She pulled away and smiled at the red hero. "Thanks for the moral support. The power up is helpin'."

 

"You look..." Ladybug began. She gave her the quick up and down. Oh wow..

 

Panthera's hair, once that fluffy and bristly black and purpled streaked had suddenly become enchanting. Like ink jets of pure black had took form in the water they wisped and twirled around them like tentacles almost, though kelp could be a better word, as the transformation seemed to come with the new hair dye of green replacing purple. Her suit had changed, becoming more scuba like with a lighter stomach scaled to her collar without a jacket in sight- exposed shoulders- and familiar swimmer fins that were clawed at the ends.

 

"...You look like a hot sea witch monster not gonna lie." Ladybug said tilting her head, impressed. "I dig it. Though you look like you're gonna bite an arm off."

 

"I might, grrargh-" Panthera did a playful snap with her teeth. The jagged shark like canines clicking together comedically making Ladybug giggle. They were stopped by a sudden ripped bar of a fence shooting between them, missing them by bubbles. They looked to the side and found Syren back to her non existing feet and scowling at them.

 

Panthera's eyes thinned as she took in a deep breath of water- and breathed.

 

"I'll buy you some time! Save Kim!" Panthera snarled, letting out a roar of rage as Syren took her head on, meeting the cat in the middle of a fight of claws and teeth. Ladybug quickly took her sacrifice to heart and darted to the swimmer boy who was reeling a bit.

 

Kim looked up at her from his bubble.

 

"The costume is dope!" He exclaimed.

 

"Oh, um, thanks!" Ladybug smiled at her friend, before going back to being serious. "Tell me, is there anything her akumatized object might be in? Any important objects to her? What even happened that got her so worked up?"

 

Kim cringed a little, rubbing his side uncomfortably.

 

"We were playing a game of secrets, and I think she was trying to tell me that I'm the boy she likes. But, I was a doofus and didn't realize." Kim explained, the saddest she'd seen him in a while. He sighed. "It's my fault, should've seen the signs. And she's so cool too.. she said all that stuff about seeing me as cool, when I act like a bigger joker with her just to see her laugh.. she's real neat.. I wanted to impress her so bad I completely over looked how she saw me!"

 

Ladybug hummed thoughtfully before something clicked in her. The loud sounds of brawling behind her went muffled as the gears in her mind began to physically turn.

 

"Game of secrets? How does that work, Kim?" Ladybug asked. Kim smiled.

 

"It's a game Ondine invented!" Kim beamed, waving around his hands happily. "You write down a secret and put it inside the bracelet's capsule. It's awesome! Hey hey hey- You wanna know my secret? It's suuuper cool-"

 

"The bracelet! That must be it! I thought I saw it!" Ladybug gasped, looking up at where Syren was currently thrashing with the wild and feral Panthera, she had a good idea what to do now but first.. "Aqua- Lucky charm!"

 

She wondered how'd this work as a bright light shined above them and instead of simply dropping- a pair of car keys just, slowly floated above her hand. She grabbed it hastily and she stared at it in confusion.

 

"Car keys? I guess we should hit the road, then." She commented lightly, handing her yoyo to Kim through the bubble. "Here. You can breathe through this, Kim. I'll get you somewhere safe, I’ll cure her, and then you and Ondine can talk after once she's fixed."

 

Kim took the yoyo and gave a thumbs up. Ladybug turned again but her eyes suddenly widened.

 

Where... Where did Panthera and Syren go?

 

She looked up and saw a giant hole in the glass ceiling.

 

Ah. There they go.

 

...

 

"You seem obsessed with fairy tales," Panthera hissed through her sharp, jagged teeth as she swam backwards, forcing a distance between the hero and the villain with a long dark grin that spat and snarled with bubbles and oceanic salt. "Well, Little Mermaid, I've got one for you..."

 

"Make it quick cause your story is about to end!" Syren snarled, making a jab at Panthera that was blocked with quick staff movement. Panthera snarled and darted around her, making a jab at behind her head with her stick. Syren shouted with momentary pain before Panthera darted over her and far, to a distant alleyway.

 

”There was once a magical river that granted any wish you wanted." She described slowly, she dodged an attack and swam behind a floating dislodged gate for cover. Her eyes slitted and a swirling green as she disappeared behind it. "Some people wished for, for lots of jewels. Some for true love… some eternal beauty… one day there was a little girl…”

 

”I’ve never heard of this story before" Syren hissed in confusion, the akuma followed behind her, finding them in a dark building. The lights were shot out making her eyes squint for any sign of the cat-fish hero as nothing but the vaguely lit middle could guide her anywhere safely. Where the hell... 

 

“The little girl wanted only one thing, to live." The voice clicked, Syren turned as she spot a pair of glowing green eyes. "She didn't want riches, she didn't want beauty, she could live without love... all she wanted was to live.”

 

Panthera spoke slowly, her fin cutting through the water as she swam circles around the siren. Her body a mass of darkness as Syren turned around wildly, eyes wide as her blood thrummed with fear beneath her slippery skin. Those eyes disappeared under a new shroud of darkness as Panthera's voice clicked and thrummed dangerously dark.

 

“The girl stepped into the river of life, and…”

 

”And..?” Syren rose an eyebrow. There was no answer. Just a sudden douse of silence.  Syren turned around as she swore she heard a light thud and held out her spear, but nothing. Her heart beat outside her chest, fanged teeth grinding together as she turned again. Where... where... where..!? "WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU! COME ON OUT COWARD!"

 

”And then she DROWNED.” The cat hero snarled. Syren turned and her heart nearly shattered with horror as Panthera shot from the darkness.

 

The green of her design had suddenly glowed a violent bioluminescent green that reminded the akuma of rotten toxic spill- and not only that- It revealed a new design that lined her body and was hidden until now, bones, glowing bones, and a vibrant skull that colored the scale print mask that was stuck to her eyes. 

 

Her body cut through the water like butter as Syren's world filled with green and Panthera's breath. Only Panthera. With eyes swirling dark and her voice drenched with a deep riveting snarl. Syren's yelp was cut short as Panthera tackled into her and slammed her into the ground.

 

“Cause she was just a girl who didn’t know how to swim.” Panthera snarled into her ear. Syren's mouth quivering wide as Panthera raised a bubbling, cataclysm claw. "And the torrents to do not forgive mistakes."

 

Syren screamed.

 

...

 

Ladybug was floating around, having just put Kim somewhere safe on the surface.

 

"Where is she?" She spoke out loud, before hearing a rising muffled scream before the side of the building next to her suddenly exploded before her. A burst of water, bubbles, dust, cement, and black energy scattering everywhere as Panthera tackled Syren through the wall. The water filled with the sounds of snarls and shrieks.

 

"FUCKING FUCK-!" Syren snarled, slamming her fin into Panthera's stomach and sending her backwards. Her violet eyes wide and wild. "GET OFF ME YOU MANGY FUCKING CAT! WHERE IS MY PRINCE!?"

 

"I think he took someone else to the ball!" Ladybug shot back, looking over to Panthera. "You okay, kitty?"

 

"Clear waters here!" Panthera held up an 'okay' sign. Her grinned darkly. "LETS FINISH THE JOB, PARTNER!"

 

"FOLLOW MY LEAD!"

 

"RAAAGH!-"

 

...

 

-Panthera poked at Syren's head with her staff as the mermaid stuck halfway out a car.

 

"That was cathartic!" Juleka smiled tiredly up at Ladybug as she cataclysmed the small timed water watch into nothing but black ashen dust, watching as the small fragile butterfly made it's way fluttering free.

 

"And tiring. I feel like I'm gonna smell like fish for weeks." Ladybug sighed. She looked down at Juleka softly and her smile faded a little, before turning to the akuma and catching it with a quick motion. "No more evil-doing for you, little akuma.."

 

Juleka hummed as Ladybug went through her little routine. She didn't pay much attention to it this time, at least not Ladybug doing it in specifics. Her eyes were on Paris. Watching as clouds of ladybugs swept over the city like a plague of tiny angels. Fluttering and kissing away every pain and every droplet of water.

 

The pain in her ribs numbed to nothing and Panthera sighed with relief. It was.. over. Her chest felt both heavy and light at the same and she watched as the car trapping Syren disappeared with the akuma, leaving just a confused freckled ginger haired girl in her place. Still dressed in her swimmer uniform.

 

"What happened..." She groaned tiredly. Juleka rose an eyebrow before her ears perked up when she heard the loud thudding of feet against ground and she heard the rising yell of a certain jock running across the roof behind them-

 

"ONDINE!" Kim charged past them, nearly sending Ladybug and Panthera flying, as he dropped to his knees in front of the girl and took her by her shoulders.

 

"W-wha- Kim??? What am I doing here what did I-" Ondine began, her face already pink before she yelped as Kim began shaking her wildly.

 

"NEXT SWIM PRACTICE, GOTTA TELL YOU SOMETHING THERE ALSO I THINK YOU'RE COOL, BYE!" Kim exclaimed loudly, before standing up in a hurry and running off to the nearest fire exit on the building, screaming and whooping whilst bright red in the cheeks. Ondine blinked in confusion. Stunned to silence.

 

"What.. just.." Ondine squeaked.

 

Ladybug laughed lightly.

 

"We'll get you a lift home, Ondine."

 

"Oh- um- Thank you???" Ondine squeaked, her face slightly flushed with confusion and a flustered emotion that creeped higher up her face as she felt her cheeks a little with her hands. She was a nice chick underneath it seemed, that was nice. Real nice.. "I, I'm so lost, did I-"

 

She didn't listen to anything behind that. Juleka just sighed. It's over.. She thought, her limbs slacking with exhaustion. Finally.

 

"Pound it."

 

...

 

When Juleka returned home.

 

She expected noise.

 

Some trampling hug or some scream or.. something.

 

Juleka landed briskly onto the Liberty with a flick of a tail and she detransformed. When she made her way slowly down the stairs into the underdeck, she met her mom's eyes. Her mom was waiting for her in the kitchen and by her widened eyes and her relieved breath-

 

She'd been standing there for a long time.

 

Juleka choked on the word she was gonna say, so she tried to go slowly.

 

"I- I was- I was held up- I'm-" It had become dusk by the time she had gotten home and so she began fiddling with her fingers with an anxious drum in her chest. "-I came back late cause Ondine- the um- Akuma today- she needed a trip home- so we needed to recharge- but then Plagg didn't like the idea that the cheese was soggy before- so I had to go get new cheese for Plagg- and I also brought some home- then we had to get Ondine home and we got lost and..."

 

Anarka slowly came before her and stared at her with wide, glossy eyes. Juleka stared up at her mom and her body went slack.

 

"Mama that was so scary," Juleka croaked, her eyes brimming with tears.

 

"Oh my Jules," Anarka held her immediately. It felt so safe in her arms. Her mom's arms. She'd lay in them forever, 'maturity' be damned. Her mom had strong arms that could punch any fear away. Strong arms that could hold her and tell her to rest. And they were. "Rest, rest,"

 

"Is- Is Rose mad-" Juleka asked shakily.

 

"Oh no my pirate, not at all. She has questions sure but you can absolutely answer them to her another day, but now is rest time. Oh god I'm so sorry, me dear-" Anarka whispered firmly. Juleka let out a whimper of overflowing emotions as her mom quietly cooed her, combing a gentle hand through her long black hair.

 

"Jules? Jules-!"

 

Luka's steps echoed through her ears as another force slammed into the hug, then the soft steps of a cat- two- and the purr of three- four counting herself and there Juleka stood. Surrounded by family who knew her. Who saw her. They loved her. And they loved her. And they loved her. And she cried. And she was loved. And she'd be loved. And she was safe now.

 

She was safe now.

 

She was safe.

 

 

 

 

 

"C-can I have hot chocolate." Juleka asked shakily, sniffling. "This has been a fucked up day,"

 

"Was already makin' it, me lil pirate."

 

 

Notes:

Shout out to MiraculousPyro for the inspiration on the Why people didn't die in Syren. I hope they don't mind this- I can delete it later if they don't.

Hope you enjoyed! Mostly!

Chapter 60: Zombizou

Summary:

A chapter with a constantly changing POV cause god I couldn't PICK

Notes:

Ladybug has a bad time

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

A few days ago...

 

Working out scientifically helps reduce stress and anxiety. So, along with being Panthera, Juleka could confess that she works out quite a bit. It's a bit embarrassing, actually. It was mostly for herself. She was especially embarrassed by the bit of muscle she'd begun gaining more obviously. It countered her view of what a model she imagined would be.

 

It's not like I'm pretty anyways. I've accepted being below average. Juleka grieved silently in the warm pool of deep self deprecation and doubt. Like she was holding some wake for her own self confidence. 

 

So with that being said, Juleka still did enjoy what Ms Bustier had been making them do recently. Though, she couldn't say she was the best at it in comparison to kicking a punching bag really hard. They were just some breathing exercises mixed with yoga. Juleka didn't know what to call it. She couldn't help but say that it was slightly working though.

 

And also, gave her some time to practice something that Master Fu had mentioned to her...

 

"ah, panthera, please, do come in."

 

"old guy," juleka greeted with a small smile. she sat down politely in front of the old man as plagg flew somewhere. "im not gonna ask how you got those power up cheeses to my houseboat.."

 

"your mother is a scary woman." master fu shuddered, before smiling and placing down some tea for her. "now, what's on your mind young lady?"

 

"im scared about getting akumatized," juleka muttered, looking up at him "it could happen, can't it,"

 

"it's always a possibility," master fu mused thoughtfully, before hitting a thought. "however, that does remind me of an old teacher of mine, celestial guardian su han... he was a powerful guardian indeed.. he is gone now, for better or worse. however what gave him such prestige what his miraculous technique of resisting emotional type control powers.. and with hawkmoth around.. perhaps.."

 

"i could learn it?" juleka asked quickly.

 

"it's possible, but he had many decades to practice it, and, well," master fu shrugged weakly, "he never taught it to me."

 

Juleka hummed quietly to herself, kneeling softly on a borrowed yoga mat as the class sat underneath the afternoon sun. Ms Bustier at the front directing them along in her gentle, soothing, voice.

 

"Breathe deeply. Think of your emotions like the surface of a quiet lake."

 

Juleka closed her eyes and inhaled slowly. She felt like some weeb doing this at the back of the class, trying to hold her hands and focus some kind of energy in her heart to be completely calm. But all her brain could think was an echo of focus, focus, focus, focus- and the fact she was still Thinking she figured showed she'd been already failing this whole meditation thing.

 

She peaked an eye open and she suppressed her huff, eyes shutting again. How was she supposed to know anything was even worrying. She didn't feel any better than she felt like she should've. In comparison however.. someone else was doing great at this meditation thing, as seen with the fact...

 

"WOAH-" Kim had quite literally fallen asleep and tipped over, sending a loud crash that blinked everyone out of their calm stupor.

 

"Not that quiet, Kim." Ms Bustier giggled lightly upfront.

 

"whoops! sorry!"

 

Juleka chuckled with her class, though, she still felt off and not completely calm. Which was what she was going for. Most of the time, even in an unhostile moment, Juleka felt like she was always on high alert. That she was ready and dreading the moment where everything went wrong once again.

 

Over, and over. Like the world's most nihilistic washing machine.

 

Though, she supposed there were some things that brought her some true peace of mind. One being playing music- though she'd worry about playing the wrong note a lot, she wasn't a prodigy like Luka. The second being with Rose- though she sometimes felt like she was bothering her girlfriend. But the third.. it always.. got her to calm..

 

So that's what she was going to do today. Some origami.

 

Juleka placed down a small stack of paper. Just what she could find in scraps around the house. Roger's tickets, crumpled up old music paper, post-it notes that have lost their stick, the rare completely blank pieces of paper, some ripped out magazine pages, some returned work assignments and test scores..

 

She liked giving things to people. It was a way to silently show love. It's why she liked the process of origami. To focus it down into just this small paper, and turn her love into something pretty. 

 

Fold.

 

It was a delicate yet affordable process. Each fold was a manageable problem to solve that paid out in the end, each problem solved with one thing. Juleka remembers picked it up as a hobby when she was a kid. She supposed it stuck.

 

Fold.

 

It transformed her feelings of anger, frustration, inadequacy, into something compact. Tangible. 

 

Fold.

 

And some people liked her origami, sometimes they'd keep them, and her heart would bloom if she spotted them somewhere in their room or home, important enough to be displayed. Her love displayed.

 

Fold.

 

And if they didn't, well, she supposed origami could be remade and recycled. They could be pulled out of trash cans or picked back up from their crunched up forms on the floor. They were just paper in the end weren't they.

 

Fold.

 

Breath in.

 

Fold.

 

Breath out.

 

Juleka stared at her finished cat origami, glancing at it sideways and up. Minou, who had found himself in her lap at some point mewled and tried to bat at it. First one was always a little bit off but she didn't mind. The process was meditative enough. She blinked. Suddenly the visual of her teacher came to mind. And then, her much more 'attentive at remembering birthdays' class.

 

"Ms Bustier's birthday is tomorrow." She realized. Oh cripes. She nearly forgot. But somehow she was calm. Juleka supposed it was thanks to the origami. Juleka glanced at the clock and checked how late it was. Uhhhhhh, pretty late. Hm.

 

She stared at her origami. She'd have to get a card later but..

 

Juleka was beginning to have fun now, and she was sure Ms Bustier would want her to have fun while making something for her. She didn't quite understand yoga but she understood how it was supposed to help, and origami helped her the way it was supposed to, so she wanted to show Ms Bustier how she appreciated the help she was trying to offer...

 

"The 'cure' of depression I've found in my own way is well.. connection" Ms Bustier smiled "It's why I love to see all of you kids connecting and showing kindness. It doesn't always delete the sadness or shoos it away, in fact, it's a good thing to acknowledge those negative feelings, anger and frustration included, but the waves washing over feel a little less cold."

 

Juleka smiled, cracking her knuckles as her teacher's voice rang inside her head. Can't do anything but keep folding I suppose. Juleka hoped she wouldn't mind

 

...

 

Caline Bustier would love to tell you she has a fantastic every day morning schedule, where everything is clean, and perfect, and she goes to school skipping and there's birds landing on her shoulder and a whole row of double rainbows line her door step-

 

But that's just unrealistic.

 

Look, she hasn't replaced her comforter since December cause she's too lazy to pull out the logical cooler blankets, so she usually wakes up sweating but also too cozy to get up or hung over cause of a 'special' occasion.

 

She sets her alarm really early, then she ignores it, and then woke up fully by the third one to shamefully go for her phone instead of pulling the covers off for at least 15 minutes until the need to pee overweighs the desire to stay in bed or her rescue pitbull pubber started getting impatient with her and began to whimper which always shot her awake cause she felt bad.

 

After getting changed- Caline fed Arlo, checked if she was missing anything about five times over, then got going always about an extra coffee refill late. She walked to work eating breakfast along the way, taking a longer route so she could drop Arlo off at a doggy daycare, greeted Valerie Mendeleiev on her way to her office, and then sat down exhausted by eight.

 

Caline would over look her stuff, once, twice, third time was just because she was bored honestly. And then she'd just start playing the rancher game on her phone because she'd gotten addicted and you can get off her ass.

 

She usually went like this, mostly undisturbed unless someone came to her office for whatever reason to ask about something, maybe remind her there's a meeting which she'd forgotten, tell her Mr Pigeon was back so hide.. list went on. Sometimes she was called by a frantic student to tell her there was a fight and Caline would drop everything to get up and see.

 

Hawkmoth was an absolute dick. Caline could only say that confidently in her head because she didn't want to traumatize her students who could hear her curse. He just, he made everything so much, worse.

 

The school system was already absolute bull. The principal took as many bribes that one of her more, problematic though growing students, gave him. Kids got bullied, kids got away with it, and Ms Bustier got in trouble if she didn't give the slip to the 'instigator'.

 

And now the kid who just got their day ruined turns into a monster.

 

Imagine how that looks on them after.

 

Caline wasn't a hero. So she did what she could do stop these things. Because wasn't that what she was supposed to do? As an educator? As a competent adult with the common sense that, these kids didn't know everything and so they needed to Learn not just educational things but stuff they were Actually going to carry with them in life? Instead of just, what Cosine is, or what chemical makes what? No offense Mendeleiev.

 

Corny as her ideas were, she did her best to try and implement them into her class. For some kind of, hope, she could do something to protect them other than 'evacuation drills' and 'children please stay inside, okay fine marinette go to the bathroom, where did she go-'

 

Many of the teachers talked to the Principal. Many of the teachers were declined of their ideas. At the very least, daily class compliments, yoga, and bully interference from what she could handle wasn't getting stopped by the bumbling principal. So she'd continue until he forces her to stop, and by force, she meant firing.

 

Cause she wasn't going to stop fighting for her kids to have a good damn childhood out of this mess.

 

Even if she may have already failed, considering her quietest student.

 

Caline felt her heart sink deep thinking about that.

 

What Caline is trying to say is, she's not perfect, she doesn't love every part of her job (in fact, highlight everything that was dealing with the Principal and you got most of the annoyances right there) but, she had her wobbly little un-neat, neat, system of how she lived her life peacefully as a normal school lady of a normal school, in the most abnormal city in France.

 

So when good ol' grumpy Valerie Mendeleiev dropped by her office, she merely gave her a friendly wave.

 

"Good morning," Caline smiled, her eyes widening as the science teacher huffed and planted a small wrapped box onto her desk. Her eyebrow raised though she didn't drop her polite grin. "What's um, this?"

 

"Oh don't play dumb with me, Caline I know; who would've thought jerk ass Mendeleiev would do this." The other woman rolled her eyes, tapping sharp nails against Caline's table, glancing at the box expectantly. Caline shook her head.

 

"No, I mean, what is this- I- this is a bit out of the blue, no?" Caline asked, her eyebrows genuinely raised as she opened it. Oh wow, this wonderful. "A necklace! It's so pretty and cute. How nice of you, Valerie. Thank you so much. I'll wear it today.."

 

Mendeleiev's eyebrows furrowed, slamming her hand on the desk making Caline squeak and grab her coffee in fear it'd somehow drop.

 

"Is your IQ 4?" She spat. Caline's lips pursed together. Now, Valerie Mendeleiev had a tendency to shout and snap in a much harsher form than she meant. They had actually talked about this before in private where they confided in their doubts of the school's handling of their kiddos, sharing a smoke underneath the Paris twilight.

 

So she wasn't too offended by the woman's snappier nature, just giving a shy little shrug. Trying to offer her best smile that made Mendeleiev shift in her twisted stiff posture.

 

"Not the last time I checked, no. Why do you ask, friend? I'm willing to hear you out of I'm missing anything." Caline replied lightly. Her way of saying; Use nicer words, please. Mendeleiev's eyebrows furrowed further. She let a harsh huff through her teeth, crossing her arms.

 

"I can't believe this, but, I- did you actually forget it's your birthday today?" She crowed at her. Caline blinked at that. She glanced at her screen and...

 

Oh.

 

Caline took a long sip of her coffee.

 

"I- It's- ...I may have been busy." She said flatly, her cheeks heating up pink with embarrassment, eyes darting away from the other teacher. 

 

"With your ranch game." Mendeleiev's hands planted on her hips, sticking her chin up to look down at her with a raised brow.

 

"My ranch my rules, Val." Caline puffed into her drink. She sunk in her seat, trying to feel smaller in the moment. She couldn't believe she forgot about her own.. ugh. Caline's eyebrows furrowed as her arms crossed over her. "I need to stew."

 

"You're kids are gonna cause some chaos today" Mendeleiev rolled her eyes, beginning her way out of the office. "Good luck with that. When they get obsessed with someone as a collective, jeez."

 

Please don't jinx it.

 

...

 

It was Ms Bustier's birthday today.

 

Juleka was applying a new layer of black lipgloss to her lips. It was new. So she wanted to use it while she could and looking at her wrist mirror, she looked pretty good. But she wasn't really focused on it. 

 

The makeup applying was just her distraction.

 

Juleka closed her mirror and tucked her lipgloss in her bag. She shifted uncomfortably with her small  plastic wrapped 'bag' held behind her so no one could see what she had. She was so pumped last night but seeing how much more, fully thought out and impressive looking other's gifts were, it reminded her how she felt terrible at giving gifts.

 

Things could be so, expensive, or overly sentimental and just miss. In her family they usually made dinner for the birthday person and had a minor party with anyone special they wanted there.

 

Juleka lacked much money, was too afraid of being overly close with someone who didn't return the same feelings, and she was terrified of going so far into something and just missing the mark entirely. So you can see where her worries come from.

 

It's why Panthera hadn't given Ladybug her little birthday gift yet. Despite how long ago Befana was. It cut a guilty line in her chest.

 

Juleka wanted to grip tight to her small baggy but, she didn't want to ruin anything inside. So she shuffled to one corner of the locker room where people were shuffling around, chattering to each other about their gifts and their plans and their ideas and their babbles of incomprehensible words. 

 

She opened the small bag, closed with a small purple ribbon she'd found underneath a drum set on the Liberty, and checked on each flimsy looking origami. Fuck. She was getting nervous. Were any of these actually god? They looked awful. She should just scrap them-

 

"Hey Jules!" Rose pepped up beside her.

 

"Rose," Juleka greeted quickly, shoving a few of her creations down into the bag a bit harsher than she hoped. Her heart tugged taut when she heard an awful crinkle inside and immediately she checked for any wrinkles made on her careful paper. She looked up nervously at her girlfriend and Rose just gestured to the bag with a smile.

 

Juleka sighed with relief, she crouched down and began checking on each small origami with careful consideration and worried inspection. Rose knelt beside her with a smile, watching her.

 

"Didja make those?" She asked with a tilted grin. Juleka nodded nervously, humming a response.

 

"Y-yeah, sure did. Worked pretty late on 'em.." Juleka said lightly. Rose had many origami gifts in her home, a collection of Juleka's tangible love in paper form. From an army of practice cranes for their younger years, all crinkled and old, to the origami flowers Juleka would make next to Rose's hospital bed cause she knew the blonde hated watching flowers die. "I.. hope she likes it."

 

"Jules she's gonna love them!" Rose assured her. Juleka placed the last one, a small cat, back into the bag and tied the ribbon back around the bag's neck, making a quick knot. Swift and efficient. Rose giggled at that, Juleka rose an eyebrow at her. What was the laugh for..

 

"What?" She chuckled confusedly.

 

"You're such a pirate, your boat has ropes tied like that." Rose commented with a chuckle. Juleka rolled her eyes lovingly as the two stood up.

 

"Yarr." Juleka waved a bent finger at her like a faux hook, poking and clawing at her girlfriend playfully. Rose squealed with delight.

 

"Oh Jules you stop that! Dork!" Rose giggled, pawing her hand away. Juleka chuckled full-heartedly, though her expression softened as she saw the way Rose was staring at her. Rose's eyes fell half lidded and tender, her lips pulled taut in that perfect smile.

 

Juleka bit her lip a lil as a yank hit her heart but, what could she say.

 

It's been a rough month.

 

Juleka decided though, to smile for her, a brighter one, that began to reach Rose's eyes as Juleka tilted her head to the casually for them to just, chat.

 

"I'm gonna be honest, forgot about the gift until last night." Juleka confessed, scratching the back of her neck awkwardly.

 

"Wh-wha- Jules! The class group chat was Raving about it!" Rose squealed, face wide eyed and stretched with shock. Juleka chuffed.

 

"You know I only check it when I'm with you." Juleka gruffed. Rose muttered a quiet 'true' before giggling much to Juleka's flutter of her chest. A small smile tugging at her lip. "Soo... cause you didn't tell me before and I definitely wouldn't know through the group chat..."

 

"Which is valid." Rose noted.

 

"What are you giving Miss Bustier for her birthday, Rose?" Juleka asked curiously, her eyes glancing down at Rose's own gift as more people were bustling into the locker rooms. Rose gasped excitedly, holding up her small pink present.

 

"Oh Jules I'm so excited!" Rose squealed, bouncing on her feet. "Ok ok, so I made her a scrapbooooook and I filled it with a bunch of our class memories and cute photos and her favorite book quotes she reads to us in class and all those nice compliments~.."

 

"You're breathtaking," Juleka whispered underneath her breath. Rose blinked up at her and Juleka's face slowly heated up as she realized that she'd said it out loud. Juleka cupped a hand over her mouth and she slowly turned her face away with embarrassment. She wanted to hide. "Sorry-"

 

"You're breathtaking too~" Rose's tone sang. Juleka's eyes widened as she felt a soft hand reach her cheek and slowly move her chin back towards her. Juleka's hand awkwardly fell to tangle in one of her purple strands as her cheeks flooded a dark red.

 

"I- that- you- thanks," Juleka's dropped into senseless mumbles. Rose giggled lightly, pressing a little kiss to her cheek. It was around then when the two turned to hear Nathaniel talking, presenting his present from his small gift bag to the class with a proud, shy smile.

 

"I um, I painted her as a superhero, because she's always here for us." Nathaniel explained shyly as the class awed and admired his small framed drawing. He messed with the back of his head nervously, though his small smile was not blind to them. "She really inspires me, helps me feel less awful about my anger issues, 'specially since all of this, Hawkmoth stuff. I'd probably be akumatized three times over without her. Ms Bustier is cool,"

 

Juleka would agree on that, for sure. She'd make a cool hero. Maybe even a cool ladybug hero. Like, like a mother... ma.. mam.. Mombug? That didn't sound right. Juleka would mentally workshop it despite the fact of that occurring could never happen. Sounds like a wacky fic. Hoo mama.

 

What was she saying again? Oh yeah.

 

Mylene held up her own small present box, smiling, "I'll give her a braid of hair to thank her for her breathing class. It helps me to be less afraid of akumas!"

 

Look Juleka would judge, she wants to, but Mylene hooked her up to some cool rocks for free a while back. Like it was a really pretty purple one and Juleka really appreciated it, so she wouldn't judge her beliefs. Besides, Juleka was cursed from photos that time. So why not believe her. Even if she saw Mylene shop for Crystals.

 

"Ooh ooh! I wanna share!" Rose squealed, raising up her present, her body shimmering with a golden glow of gleeful pride. "I got my inspiration from the exercise she has us do at the beginning of every class!" She sighed lovingly, her lashes fluttering closed as she visualized herself there before smiling widely. "Isn't it great to start the day by sharing a few kind words with each other?"

 

"Yeah, it is.." Juleka softly mewled, leaning over her lovingly. Rose giggled, nudging closer to the goth.

 

"Barf." Alix looked away, faking an amused little scowl as she stuck out her tongue at them.

 

"Oh shut it, Alix." Juleka chuffed at her, eyebrow raised playfully. Lila closed her locker with a quick slam and spun a small box in her hands. She sighed.

 

"I hope I didn't miss much for the while I wasn't in this class," Lila noted on her own, looking up with an awkward shrug. "I'm not really good at gifts so I just kinda asked what her favorite snacks were. So I think she's gonna know what I got her. It's weird to be so.. invested in a teacher like this. Usually I don't know my teachers for so long before I jump ship to the next school.."

 

"Well you get to this time!" Rose squeaked.

 

"True," Lila smiled a little. "It's neat."

 

"-Don't worry, Marinette, there's no pressure!" The group looked over to see Alya excitedly looking over at Marinette, the blogger's eyes glittering wide and awed at her best friend. Marinette's face stretched into a wobbly pink smile. Overcome by an immediate state of embarrassment as the entire class began slinking around to surround the fashion designer.

 

"Yeah, how'd you do, Marinette? I'm sure you've come up with something awesome, as usual." Juleka smiled quietly, tilting her head at the girl. Marinette squeaked, fumbling with a small box in her hand.

 

"Me? Uh well- It's nearly reffing at all. Fuck- I mean it's really nothing at all!" Marinette sputtered nervously, giggling lightly. Slowly she opened the gift and presented it to the class, who gasped in awe. A small hand sewn makeup bag. "It says.. 'If we wish to change the world, we must all learn to love each other.' That's one of the first things Miss Bustier taught us when we first met her at school. I always keep it in mind! And I thought it'd be special if.. I gave it back to her in a way."

 

A door creaked open from behind them but they were focused with wide awes and gasps at Marinette who giggled a little and plucked another object from her present.

 

"And- I also bought this tube of lip balm — Miss Bustier's favorite color!" Marinette added with a delighted smile. She shrugged. "Just a, yknow, little add on in case she finds the quote too cheesey or weird."

 

"Oh, that's, neat, Dupain-Cheng." They turned to see the source of the door opening and saw Chloe standing near her locker awkwardly. Juleka could see the blonde's eyes slowly widening more and more, slowly analyzing and seeing person by person what the situation was.

 

Or Juleka would rather say, present by present. Because it was then Juleka realized there was none in Chloe's hands nor belongings. Unfortunately, one person did not notice said detail, and seemed to express it with a bright grin.

 

"How about you, Chloé? What's your present to Ms Bustier?" Adrien asked cheerfully. Chloe slammed her locker shut suddenly, and it was like the room turned slightly cold. It felt like something new but.. also something old from the girl.

 

Juleka's eyebrows lifted as she saw Chloe's eyes tighten with intensity, darting a little while more. Chloe's lips quivered momentarily, her teeth taking form as she bit down hard on her lip, and her eyes darted away.

 

"Nothing again, huh. Just like every year since kindergarten. Come on Chloe, not even for Ms Bustier? After this entire year we've had with her?" Marinette commented, a few people chuffing in response. Juleka stared at her in a harsher turn than she meant to. Her eyes narrowed but wide. Chloe deeply frowned, trying to not make eye contact. It was not saved by Sabrina's panic as she leapt to defend the heiress-

 

"It's not her fault, okay? Chloé just doesn't like birthdays! She never remembers them!" Sabrina began, waving her arms to grab the class's attention. her eyes spiraling with haste and her own desperate emotion, that the last part fled her lips without thinking. "J-just like her mom!"

 

Sabrina squeaked, her face twisting with a deepened cringe and it felt like a glass shattered within the locker room, echoing and reverberating through every person. Juleka's hand slapped over her mouth.

 

Juleka stared blankly. And the Panthera in her's tail flicked sideways as those words came to her.

 

Chloe has mentioned that she misses her mom before during our impromptu therapy sessions before... Juleka thought curiously, her nails fiddling delicately with her collar as her mind whirred with a line of interest. But she never went into full detail.. Style Queen always felt so cool and confident to me and the fact Chloe spoke highly of her painted her as such a serious lady who's good at her job but...

 

Her eyebrow flicked upwards.

 

I can't judge her family without really asking or finding more information. I'm only going after so little things... I'll have to ask next time Panthera drops by, maybe, if I find the courage. I find that fact important though...

 

Especially going on the fact Juleka wasn't sure if Style Queen hasn't stepped into Paris in over eight years.

 

Chloe's eyes widened with shock and a snap of horror before she shook her head, trying to regain a sense of control in the situation, her voice hoarse and trembled though with the determined and disappointed glare in Marinette's eyes, Juleka wasn't sure if most noticed beyond the bitter crossed arms Chloe gave out.

 

"Yeah, well, you don't have to tell 'em my life story, either.-" Chloe chuffed uncomfortably. Sabrina cringed to herself, awkwardly rubbing her arm, deciding to back away with her own present.  "I don't- I don't need to get Ms Bustier a gift she, it's.. I-It's Ridiculous! Utterly ridiculous."

 

Oh dear. That came out in a much more aggressive way. It seemed to hurt a lot of people in there, it hurt Juleka too, but Juleka saw the world a little different, and so her eyes had not trained on Chloe's bitter eyes but her shaking hands that had dug deep into her forearms like she was trying to peel her skin off.

 

"God damn it Chlo." Alix suddenly growled, her eyebrows furrowed. The class watched in silent confusion and surprise as the skater stared at the former bully with a look of.. almost a pained disappointment. "Come on, just, you could've been a little less like your mom today. You told me you liked Ms Bustier. You couldn't even get her the gift?"

 

Chloe's mouth fell a little. But she had nothing to say, just, frustrated contempt. Alix's grimace fell, looking away weakly.

 

"Better luck next year." Alix sighed, placing her stuff into her locker. Her voice was barely a flutter of breath. Juleka couldn't see her expression, but something in her felt like Alix looked regretful for yelling at the heiress. It felt like the same grip of confliction in their hearts had spread to the others as well. As a few tried to throw their weak words in.

 

"I mean it's su.. suh- is... is.. unfortunate.." Kim awkwardly scratched the back of his head. "Ms Bustier will totally be bummed but like, maybe, she'll be happy if you get her a gift some other time?"

 

"There's a 66% percent that Ms Bustier will still be happy with anything you give her if not on the day of her birthday!" Max added quizzedly.

 

"Y-yeah Chlo!" Adrien pepped up, looking deeply uncomfortable where his one question led to as Alix forced her eyes down at her shoes, the class going back to their awkward bustle to get to Physics. Juleka frowned as she began to place her small pathetic bag into her own locker, glancing at Rose who gave her a weak shrug and back. "Next time!"

 

But that's when Marinette spoke.

 

"I should've known." Marinette tsked, her shoulders sagged though her more angry expression a bit more visible. They watched as she shut her present and flinched as placed it back into her locker and slammed it, her voice strained and confused. "Seriously, it's, it's her god damn birthday, Chloe. We've seen you remember dates. And times like this I question, genuinely question, if you have a heart."

 

Chloe tsked bitterly.

 

"I'll put it on my shopping list." Chloe snapped.

 

"God- You never change. Five years and just.. ugh." Marinette said with a frustrated grimace. Juleka's eyes widened a little and her heart sunk a little. She closed her locker shut and followed the train of kids outside. She tried to offer a hand to Chloe but the bully was just staring blankly into her locker, not giving Sabrina a second either.

 

Sabrina looked up at Juleka sadly and Juleka motioned Sabrina to follow the rest. Alya was gestured further up by Nino, giving Juleka some time to hang back for Marinette. The fashion designer nearly pushed by her without realizing until Juleka physically grabbed her shoulder when they left the Locker room.

 

"Marinette." Juleka greeted curtly.

 

"Juleka!" Marinette gasped a little, turning quickly as Juleka shut the locker door behind them, soon becoming the only ones together as their class moved beyond them.

 

"Hang back with me for a bit?" Juleka asked quietly, her eyes glanced up quick in a flicker to meet Rose's who turned to look for her. Juleka gestured her to keep going. Rose's eyes narrowed for a moment before nodding reluctantly and going off to Physics. Juleka looked back to the fashion designer. "Real quick... What do you think of Chloe?"

 

"Chloe? Juleka what-" Marinette's eyes widened with confusion- Juleka didn't think about how she moved just how quickly she did it, grabbing Marinette by the shoulders firmly and leaning closer to her face, voice hushed and hissed.

 

"Just be quick, I just, it's just for me, I want to know." Juleka quickly whispered. Her questions plead out to the girl between fangs. "Even if it makes you feel nasty to say it out loud, I just, I want to know for me. Tell me the truth, please?" 

 

"I- Well.." Marinette shrugged weakly, opening up her hands to speak. Juleka watched her as she let go, patiently listening out to her as kids bustled to class. Eye on the locker door, though Chloe seemed to be taking quite a while. "It's a bit, hard to, not hate her, still... She's bullied me for years. To see her eye to eye now, Jules, it's a bit, it's a lot to ask. There's so much to just.. file through thinking about Chloe. And maybe there's that nugget you all talk about."

 

"But my nails, there's so much dirt to claw through... does... does that make sense? It makes no sense... god I sound disgusting don't I-" Marinette dug her fingers into her sides uncomfortably. Juleka held up a hand.

 

"No no-" Juleka began, brushing a hand behind her head. "I, hear you. Just, wanted to know. Do you feel better? Talking about it?"

 

"I don't know." Marinette's hands balled into her jacket uncomfortably. Her eyebrows furrowed together as strands of her dark hair drifted over her face. She made a quick readjustment and looked up at the goth. "Am I a bad person?"

 

"I think bad people are really hard to define until you meet 'em." Juleka shrugged.

 

"Chloe feels like a bad person to me. Who doesn't give their teacher they love a gift on their birthday?" Marinette confessed. Juleka felt a harsh jab go through her chest hearing that. Yikes. But Juleka couldn't find the urge to blame her. That didn't feel the fairest to either sides. Though maybe her pride as a friend therapist was what got bruised a little.

 

Juleka fidgeted with her jacket she decided to pick that day and glanced at Marinette. Her eyes glittered with a deep thought, glittering and clicking and turning, they looked like they did when she was Ladybug. Juleka's lips tugged into the weakest smile.

 

"Things look different from different angles. And their ways of love can be different?" Juleka offered, combing a hand through her dyed locks nervously, it pushed back through her scalp before she sighed and let it fall over her face again. Juleka's eyes fell half lidded. "I'm sure Ms Bustier won't be too mad about the gift, she's cool like that."

 

"I don't want to feel stupid for not liking Chloe even when people are getting happier with her." Marinette rubbed her side uncomfortably. "I still don't get it."

 

"Then don't I guess." Juleka shrugged, the two girls making their ways to physics. Juleka's eyebrows knitted together, their steps untimed with their different forms of strides. Juleka's long and dragged while Marinette scurried and skittered. "Again, different views."

 

"But some things just Make Sense." Marinette gruffed with frustration as they found their way to Ms Mendeleiev's door. Juleka chuckled. Though her feeling of unease did not settle. She supposed there was still much to work on with Chloe. She hoped today went well.

 

...

 

It was a pretty good day so far.

 

Physics didn't end in fire like last time, though Marinette nearly caused some chemical problem with her experiment. Rose was a natural at these sots of science stuffs, Juleka thought she was a genius. Kim was trying to prove a point about his muscles during lunch. Juleka was a bit busy with trying to feed Plagg discretely to know what was going on.

 

Things got a little out of hand during PE, they were supposed to play Basketball but suddenly it became a Very Painful Game of dodgeball. Juleka decided to just fade out there. She managed to slip away pretty easily after asking for water and just, not coming back. 

 

Good luck to them, she was built different. She wasn't going to get a basketball to the face fuck you.

 

And then, it finally came.

 

Ms Bustier's class.

 

Juleka held her bag close and tight to her chest, trying to collect her feelings into a tight ball. Trying to breathe and not choke up on her anxiety.

 

"She's gonna like it." Plagg remarked.

 

"Shut." Juleka's grip tightened even more, hands shaking.

 

"She's gonna, so just stop being huffy, kitten." Plagg crossed his arms.

 

"Ugh, just- Hide Plagg." Juleka grumbled, before her she caught sight of her girlfriend approaching. The kwami flew into her jacket as Rose skipped up beside her. Her face glowing with delight. Juleka waved.

 

"Hi, Rose," Juleka said lightly. Rose smiled but her lips fell as glanced at her slightly crumpling present which was currently being gripped tightly in her hands.

 

"She's gonna like it." Rose reassured her as they made their walk up the stairs. Juleka felt Plagg giggle inside her jacket and she tsked. Easy for her to say. The sentimentality her gift held actually made sense and was good. Juleka just folded up some scrap paper..

 

"She might not." Juleka pointed out.

 

"But she's gonna!~" Rose sang, going in front of her with a little skip. Juleka smiled softly as they went inside. It always felt warm in Ms Bustier's class. Comforting. The way each book lined up, how the sun slit through the open windows in gentle beams, the neat and tidiness of it all. It contrasted the Couffaine home in a nice way. Not that she didn't like home. It was a pleasant change of pace, especially for the last class of the day.

 

"Oh my!"

 

"Happy Birthday Ms. Bustier!"

 

"You all are so sweet.!" Ms Bustier beamed. Juleka leaned on her elbow, her smile long and delighted. It was always a nice class when Ms Bustier was happy. And it felt like she always Was happy. It was just so contagious.

 

A whole pile of gifts, just for her. Ms Bustier glanced at the pile and to her computer but shrugged.

 

"Now, class, I think you may all be a bit distracted if I don't open these first?" Ms Bustier quipped, much to the giggles of the students. "Marinette you seem ready to just pop in your seat- how about I start off with you, our Class Representative."

 

"OTAY! I mean- OKAY!" Marinette exclaimed, Juleka snorted as a wide smile went across Marinette's face. Alya pointed from her seat, her head tilted a little.

 

"Marinette made that one, Ms B!" Alya said, practically glowing with pride. She's a simp. Juleka thought with a giggle.

 

Ms Bustier nodded and reached into the pile, plucking out the delicately made craft and beamed at it. Juleka smiled, leaning a bit closer as Ms Bustier began to open it. Call her memory bad but Juleka didn't remember that quote Ms Bustier made earlier that year, so she felt like this was one of the most special gifts of all..

 

So imagine her shock when Ms Bustier's face contorted with confusion instead of an expected, immediate, delight. Marinette could see it too, and bolted out of her chair to check on her present when she let out a mortified sound of horror.

 

With the bag tilted to their side, Juleka sat up to see, and she saw with widened eyes the vandalized form of Marinette's bag. Wild and scribbled strikes of black marker wiped all over the careful designer underneath. Her voice joined the chorus of gasps that caught fire from their sight.

 

"What the-!"

 

Marinette's face turned red with rage, spinning violently at the crowd and snarling at one particular in the row.

 

"I know you did this, Chloé Bourgeois! I know it!" She shouted. Juleka couldn't see the blonde's face but her voice echoed through the now very loud classroom with equal intense rage.

 

"Maybe you SHOULDN'T HAVE CALLED ME HEARTLESS!"

 

"THIS IS THE MOST HEARTLESS THING YOU'VE DONE!"

 

"I JUST FORGOT HER GIFT! WHY COULDN'T YOU JUST GIVE ME A BREAK!"

 

"CHLOE!"

 

"DUPAIN-!"

 

"CHILDREN! Please!" Ms Bustier held up her hands after clapping for the shouting class's attention. Her strained smile was rigid and forced but she seemed to power her voice through a gentle tone. "We don't want to get upset on my birthday, now, do we? Ahah,, I think this present is wonderful, both of you."

 

"It'll be my new cosmetics bag! Then I'll be able to think of both of you every time I use it!" Ms Bustier smiled, gesturing it with a smile as She opened up the bag and found the lip balm, displaying it to the class as giddily as she could.

 

No, no that didn't feel, right.

 

"You're not gonna let her get away with this are you?!" Marinette shouted. Another uproar of argument sprang, people shouting and conflicting over each other before Ms Bustier had to start clapping again, her expression more stern and pained.

 

"Students, please, calm down now! The classroom is not a place for insults and defamation!" Ms Bustier ordered. Juleka's lips fell with dismay as her nails dug deep into her table. She glanced down the rows and could see Chloe's back. Stiff and shoulders hunched upwards with aggression.

 

Ms Bustier turned to Marinette.

 

"Marinette, sweetie, would you come with me, please?" She asked politely. Marinette's face stretched with horrified disbelief.

 

"W-What? But I-"

 

"Please?" Ms Bustier pressed. Marinette's face fell and she stared down at her feet, nodding reluctantly. Ms Bustier moved to the door quickly, and turned to the first row. "Alya. I'm relying on you to make sure things don't get out of hand while we're gone."

 

Juleka turned to see Alya physically deflate.

 

"Y-yes, Ms Bustier."

 

Marinette followed behind Ms Bustier, turning back to glare furiously at Chloe, before the door closed.

 

Juleka's nails dug into her arm.

 

As immediately hell broke loose.

 

...

 

"It's so not fair!"

 

The door closed behind them only seconds prior and Marinette had already exploded with anger. Her arms thrown up and her eyes red with tears that were barely being bit back as her body shook like a leaf during a hurricane.

 

"It was Chloé, pulling another...Chloé! A-And.. I'm the one who's getting in trouble?!" Marinette cried out, staring up at her with wide distraught eyes before being surprised by an amused chuckle.

 

Caline knew she shouldn't have asked the universe for a good birthday. These days, the trope of 'what could go wrong' was really hitting hard. So she should've expected the worst thing. Luckily, 'the worst things ever' didn't often happen. Today was just a day she needed to adult. There was never a break for those, especially as a teacher, and her birthday wasn't an exception.

 

"No sweetie! Of course you're not in trouble, don't worry, Marinette." Caline reassured her quickly. She knelt down in front of Marinette letting her student look down at her just a little. She didn't want Marinette to feel like she was talking down at her. It was important to get onto the same page and being on equal ground was something she noticed helped students a bit more with that.

 

"Then why-" Marinette began, her eyes widened with confusion. Caline hummed. 

 

"I just saw that you needed to breathe a little." Caline confessed with a light shrug, putting a soft hand on her shoulder. "You're a passionate girl, Marinette, and that's special about you, but sometimes getting wrapped up in your emotions can brew something hurtful and unkind. So I wanted to let you get a moment to calm down and take a second."

 

"But god- she's so mean Ms Bustier I just don't-" Marinette's face twisted with anger, "I just I don't get it! And then everyone's all about, how she's changing, but it's so, it's so hard to see it, and I feel guilty for not being able to like what am I not getting?! She's still snarky and cut throat, and it's just, it's not clicking! She seems like the same Chloe who's bullied me for years!"

 

"Because often, while people change, there's core parts of them that doesn't. And those core parts aren't all bad either." Caline offered. "Yes, Chloe can be snarky and brash, but she's trying to attribute her actions as kinder. It's probably very difficult for her too grasp too."

 

"But being nice is so easy!" Marinette tried to explain. Caline almost laughed. But that'd be a bit rude and not the best to do on account of how high Marinette's emotions were.

 

"For you, yes, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to not totally explode at Mr Damocles during meetings." Caline chuckled lightly. Marinette's eyes widened.

 

"Is that true?" She asked with widened eyes.

 

"Yup. Keep that a secret for me, girl?" Caline asked, Marinette nodded quickly. Caline smiled a little and gave a tender squeeze to her shoulder. "Kindness is hard to express for others, Marinette. It doesn't come easy to us all like it does to you. And that's why Marinettes are so important in today's world; because they have a lot of love to give."

 

Marinette thought long on that, but her eyes did not give her the recollection of understanding quite yet. So Caline decided to circle back a little.

 

"People like Chloe often don't understand fully what love is because they've never been shown it, so their priorities have to come to thinking only about themselves, and we can't force them to change." Caline said, capturing her student's eyes once more. "But perhaps we can show them by setting a good example. By teaching them what love feels like so they can give love to others. Do you understand?"

 

Marinette's eyes lit up and she nodded.

 

"Yes Ms Bustier!"

 

Caline smiled. She was surrounded by so many good kids. They were a little dumb, little brash, their emotions were all over the place, but that was what being a kid was often like from what she remembered.

 

That was one problem child down, and while she could imagine the rest of class was down to be a long trudge of tension, she hoped to talk to Chloe after school.

 

Finding the reason why Chloe found such resolve to sabotage Marinette's gift was important to the teacher. And while she could imagine the spews of name calling were definitely a factor it was in her nosy curiosity that she wanted to try and dig a little deeper to understand one of her most conflicted students.

 

That poor girl.. how could Caline let this...

 

And that's when Caline heard the flutter of a butterfly's wings and her eyes widened.

 

Son of a-

 

...

 

"-Bitch!"

 

Chloe's jaw fell slack with shock, her eyes widened and face twisted with a offense. She looked like she just got slapped across the face as Alya sized her up with a glare.

 

"Don't call me a bitch! ..Bitch!" Chloe shot back, her arms crossed. Juleka was hiding. Fights like this hadn't been this bad since the start of school, and more importantly, the start of the akumas. Juleka sighed.

 

Damn it, and I felt like I was finally getting somewhere on the therapy scale with her. What caused her to relapse this bad? Juleka thought fruitlessly as she hid behind her desk like some socially anxious turtle. Juleka's eyebrows furrowed. Wait Wayzz existed. Was there a turtle mirac-

 

"I thought you were trying to change, Chloe!" Kim shouted. Chloe spun at him viciously, her eyes wide with an intense fire.

 

"Well I'm sorry that I can't run your ass anime redemption arcs you expected of me I guess I'm just a piece of shit!" Chloe scoffed with a glare. Kim put a hand to his chest, eyes widened with shock.

 

"Don't insult Robert E.O. Speedwagon in front of me HE BECAME SUCH A VITAL ASSET IN THE FUTURE STORIES DESPITE NEARLY ROBBING JOSEPH THAT ONE TIME-"

 

"OBJECTION! IT WAS JOHNATHAN YOU IDIOT!" Alix slammed her hands on the desk, making a loud echoing sound across the room as if it was some court room in some trial before turning to Chloe. "ALSO CHLOE WHAT THE SHIT MAN!"

 

"G-guys can we please-!" Adrien tried to begin, but he was cut off fairly quickly. The fate of a passive person surrounded by the most terrifying people on planet earth.

 

"YOU HEARD WHAT SHE SAID!" Chloe shouted back, though there was a sudden tremble in her tone as she argued against Alix. "She- she basically called me unexceptional!"

 

"She didn't!" Alix shouted.

 

"I KNOW THATS WHAT YOU'RE ALL THINKING!" Chloe shrieked, her eyes red with a twinge of tears. "I KNOW YOU ALL STILL HATE ME! FUCKING RIDICULOUS- WHY DO YOU ALL KEEP EXPECTING ME TO BE GOOD!?"

 

"Because you want to be!"

 

Chloe turned to Juleka with wide, nervous eyes. The goth didn't realize how loud she shouted until she saw that. Chloe's lips quivered at her friend, her carefully manicured nails gripping hard to the desk. Juleka tried to summon whatever power she could within her, grasping her ring.

 

"You told me you wanted to be!" Juleka's voice hurt to shout. It felt awkward to raise her voice so high and she didn't want to. She didn't like this attention. Where she was involved in such an angry argument. But she needed her words to be heard. She needed her question to be answered "So what the hell was today? Please tell us so we can help you?"

 

Chloe's mouth fell but no sound came out, only a twist in her face as she scowled downwards. 

 

It was then that Juleka heard one heavy step. Her eyes darted upwards and she felt the hair raise off her back.

 

"Get-!"

 

CRASH!

 

The door slammed open. And not just in some dramatic slam. But the class screamed from their seats as it hung barely attached to it's hinges. Like a hurricane cracked it open and demanded it's force to be let through. And it did, as a terrifying figure pranced her way through, a delighted smile on her lips as she spun and danced across the class floor, and weightlessly climbed onto Ms Bustier's desk.

 

The class was frozen in their seats, some defeatedly sitting down as the horror of who they were looking at set in. The woman slowly, gingerly, applied her ebony black lipstick with a weapon like flourish of her hand- before turning to the class with a sickeningly sweet grin. Oh god.. no..

 

She looked like some doll. A fucked up one. A mix of frankenstein's monster and the worst polly pocket in the world.

 

"I have got some great news for you, students! From now on, everyone's going to hug and kiss and feel the love! Zombizou is gonna fix everything and make sure no one is sad ever again!" What was once the kind and caring Ms Bustier smiled sickeningly wide and sweetly at them. Her intensely pink eyes dragged up to meet the terrified Chloe as her voice bit out in a determined growl. "Especially you, Chloé."

 

"M-Me?" Chloe's face fell, mortified, as the class began to move out of their seats. Juleka was eyeing the door with terror as Zombizou grinned, applying another swipe of black lip gloss over her lips and slowly, methodically, blowing a kiss at the blonde.

 

No, literally, she blew a floating, black, puckering kiss. It was the most intimidating thing Juleka had seen somehow and Chloe barely shot out of the way with a shout as she ducked far from it.

 

Sabrina moved like a demon after her, you ever see those anime where the glasses glaze over with light and the character gets horrifying, this was Sabrina's moment as she suddenly yanked out a taser from her backpack and leapt off the desk with a mad woman and let it's power explode into her stomach.

 

"AGHH!" Zombizou flew backwards into her desk, slamming into it- wincing and twitching with pain. OH SHIT! Juleka mentally screamed.

 

"That was.. shocking!" Adrien tensed.

 

"ADRIEN NO PUNS- SABRINA WHERE DID YOU GET A TASER!?"

 

Sabrina squeaked with horror as she realized what she'd done, stepping back a bit as her taser dropped from her hands before rushing over to survey the damages.

 

"I-I'm so sorry! Are you okay Ms Bustier?!" Sabrina cried out, kneeling down to their precious teacher. Zombizou slowly blinked an eye open and smiled grimacingly.

 

"That was a wonderful display, sweetheart! Your teacher is so proud!" Zombizou proclaimed gleefully before applying a new layer of black to her lips as a sinister smile came upon her once warmer expression. "But mama's gotta do her job~!"

 

"H-huh?" Sabrina blinked in confusion before gasping with fear as Zombizou reached up and pressed a loving kiss to her forehead. Sabrina flew backwards as a small lipstick stain appeared there, glowing slightly.

 

Her eyes widened with terror as she tried to wipe it off but to both her and the class's horror, it didn't work.

 

"WHAT THE HECK IS THIS!?" Sabrina shrieked, scrambling backwards where Chloe grabbed her protectively as Zombizou shook off her dizziness to stand once more, a grin upon her face. Juleka's eyes widened with fear as she raised a hand to apply another layer of lipstick. The lipstick..! But suddenly with a wild whizzing sound her hand was yanked backwards.

 

"Please, Miss Bustier! You've gotta snap out of it!" Ladybug shouted at the door, much to the shock of the others. Juleka stood up immediately. She grabbed her bag, Rose, and began charging towards the door with the others, motioning for others to follow.

 

"I am NOT Ms Bustier anymore.!" Zombizou snarled, yanking her arm down sending the Ladybug hero crashing into the window. Zombizou shook off the yoyo string, cracking her knuckles with a grimace. She flung herself at Ladybug violently, reeling her hand back as she smashed her fist through the glass where the hero's head once was. "I AM ZOMBIZOU!"

 

"GUN IT!" Juleka snarled, pushing everyone ahead as the class funneled out of the door in a panicked screaming rush. Juleka stared back one more time with Adrien as Ladybug began thrashing out against their beloved teacher, before the two nodded at each other and slammed the door behind them.

 

They had all began rushing down the stairs. Where could they go? How should Juleka escape? What was the plan!?

 

It wasn't when they all reached the bottom that they realized something was wrong, when they turned around to see the stumbling, pained looking Sabrina who crumbled against the stair railing when she reached the ground.

 

"Sabs? Sabrina what's wrong?" Chloe asked quickly, approaching her with a quick step.

 

"Are you feeling alright?" Juleka leaned over concernedly, her grip tightening on her bag. Sabrina's eyes were dazed and far, her body swaying uncomfortably as her face twisted and winced with an uneasy expression.

 

"It's feeling... not good.." Sabrina slurred, "It feels.. kinda hot in here actually.."

 

"Now's not the time to be getting a fever, Sabrina!" Chloe shouted, though her eyes were wide with a desperate appeal as she stood over her friend. "We have to-!"

 

"Chloe...!" Sabrina suddenly cried, body snapping to look at Chloe and lunging at her with wild, fuchsia colored eyes that glowed a hot shade of pink. Her lips puckered out as she attempted to tackle the blonde into the ground. "Kissou..!"

 

"She's infected! Son of a bitch!" Lila shouted, turning tail immediately and beginning to run. "Mi dispiace, amici miei! MA NON MORIRÒ OGGI!"

 

"Oh shit!" Nathaniel stumbled after her, eyes wide with fear. "Shit shit shit!"

 

"GET OFF OF ME!" Chloe shrieked, shoving Sabrina's face away with horror. 

 

"CHLOE!" Adrien cried out with fear. Juleka acted fast, bolting over and with a swift and apologetic shove, Sabrina hit the stairs once more as she dragged Chloe away from the girl. The lipstick mark was gone, seemingly absorbed into Sabrina, but her eyes continued to beat a horrific pink into their minds.

 

For Juleka, it reminded her of one other akuma.

 

"Kissou..!" Sabrina drawled, crawling forward like her bones weighed more than she could handle, before suddenly quickening and launching herself at the nearest target- Mylene.!

 

"Shit! IVAN!" Juleka shouted.

 

"MYLENE!" He cried, running over to his girlfriend who screamed as Sabrina was attempting to pepper her face with kisses. Ivan ripped their classmate off of her but to their weirdly new horror, Mylene was covered in marks. The same type of marks Sabrina had before.. shit.!

 

Ivan was pretty much holding Sabrina upside down as he glanced over Mylene worriedly, his eyes wide with sorrow as Mylene groaned with dizziness.

 

"I feel...feverish... I can't—" Mylene tried to pick herself up before her body slacked and she fell limp, eyes shut. The marks disappeared and suddenly those same eyes fluttered open and they met a horrible violet. "Kiss..ou..!"

 

"They're contagious! Don't let yourselves get kissed!" Adrien cried out, stumbling backwards.

 

"RUN RUN RUN!" Alix screamed, hiking up the stairs again in a rush of speed, waving her arms at them all. The class screamed as they all ran after her. Stumbling over steps and tripping over themselves.

 

"Jules!" Rose cried out, caught up in the class.

 

"Keep going!" Juleka grimaced, she glanced back and saw Ivan at the bottom of the stairs, Nino and Adrien behind her. Seeing her stop they glanced back too to see one person purposefully slowing down behind them.

 

"Ivan what are you doing?!" Nino exclaimed.

 

"Run! I'll hold them back! Just go! AGH!-" Ivan demanded, arms out as he blocked the rushing girls from following after them all. He let out a shout of shock as they immediately started tackling at him. Nino took off his hat in some sort of wake.

 

Juleka stepped back with fear, and glancing upwards, realizing she was in the thick of it all. She had to follow behind, her disappearance would be accounted for, so she made her plan quickly as they continued running up the stairs-

 

-and she secretly reached into her bag and grabbed her black lip gloss.

 

...

 

It seemed the infection was spreading fast.

 

It was kind of expected.

 

Considering three of their zombie-ed classmates had been let loose and their maniacal teacher had the power to spread the infection pretty quickly as well. And at a range. So when the group hustled into the locker rooms quickly, they were quite in a panic.

 

Kim closed the door quickly and tried to secure it with a broom. It fell though. 

 

They all stepped away from the door with fear, glancing at each other as they tried to control their heaving breaths as they tried to kneel down so none of the zombies beginning to casually wander outside could see them. One way windows be damned.

 

 They had all become disheveled beyond belief in their panic. Survivalists in seconds. But who knew how long this safety could last? It was time. Juleka began stepping towards the back of the group, being as quiet as possible..

 

"..I think we're all alright. Is, everyone good?" Before anyone notices. "Anyone marked?"

 

"I'm clear." Kim held up his hands before his face paled, wringing one of his hands around his wrist and anxiously rubbing it. His eyebrows furrowed together. "God. I hope Ondine is okay.."

 

"S-She was so close..!" Chloe whispered with horror, hugging herself tight. "Holy fuck, she was so close.!"

 

"I'm alright Alys, but Ivan..! He.. god damn it. We're all in a total horror movie dudette, this is nuts.!" Nino exclaimed, waving his hat at the blogger wildly. Alya nodded quickly, trying to recover her own breath.

 

"I know, I know." Alya fixed her glasses. "But we all need to stay calm. We don't know how far this is going to spiral. We're probably gonna have to send an akuma alert and.."

 

"Wait-" Alix looked around, her eyebrows furrowed as a hand combed through her hair. "Where's Nath?"

 

The class started to glance around and Juleka looked up from what she was doing, her eye's thinning as she began to do a head count.

 

"Or... Lila?" Juleka wondered out loud.

 

...

 

"Lila, why are we running AWAY from our class?" Nathaniel asked.

 

"Because we'll grab too much attention! Like hell am I going to get kissed by a love zombie this is bullshit!" Lila hissed through her teeth as she opened the entrance to the basement, creeping in. "If we find a place to just camp the akuma out, we're set."

 

"And why'd you bring me?" Nathaniel pressed, raising an eyebrow.

 

"Cause you know zombie tropes! We're practically geniuses, at this akuma, piece of cake surviving it!" Lila snapped a finger. A wryly foxy smile coming across her lips. "We can't trust big groups after all." 

 

"Oh. Y- Yeah! You're right! Piece of cake!" Nathaniel smiled. He was gaining some confidence. Finally his nerd stuff was coming to use-

 

"Kissou...."

 

The two blinked, staring forward to see the very, very full of zombies Boiler Room and the door that slammed behind them.. He glared at the sweating bullets Lila.

 

"I blame you for this." Nathaniel hissed. Lila winced.

 

"I can accept that." Lila swallowed, her eyes squeezing shut as she silently accepted the worst kind of death.

 

They screamed.

 

...

 

"Yeah they're super dead." Chloe remarked, her eyes rolling.

 

"There is a 98.9% chance they are, very much, screwed." Max solemnly agreed with a grim nod. They all stood there in silence. Like some, mourning Wake. "Rest in peac-"

 

"They aren't dead." Alix deadpanned, her arms crossed.

 

"Yeah- well- I-" Max began before just settling into a grumpy pout, kicking at the ground a little. Juleka glanced around them and could see others doing the same with their own bowls of worries. Juleka's eyebrows furrowed. She hated to do it, but she had to be a good actress now. Eat my ass Adam Charment.

 

Glancing where she kissed herself on her wrist, seeing her own black lipstick- though smudged- she made a quiet show of glancing, checking, and wincing at it. It didn't matter if she wasn't the spotlight. But as long as someone saw her- The small seedling of thought in their mind- they would make their own story of what happened to her later- when her plan panned out and..

 

Rose looked worriedly at her and she could see Kim glancing at her too and thus Max. Sorry guys. But you three are perfect for her plan. It was nice that she'd been standing so close to Sabrina initially too..

 

Juleka glanced at them, letting her eyebrows lift with fear as she tried to hide what she was seeing. Knowing people, they always wanted to see what was purposefully being obstructed from them, they wondered what they were missing, and she was counting on that.

 

"We should hide in the lockers," Alya lead quickly, gesturing around them and looking to each classmate. Juleka made a strategic step back as she clenched her arm. "Until help arrives, we'll probably be safer in something secure than just out of the open."

 

"Right." The class nodded, following her lead diligently. Without Marinette, Alya was their only class leader. And besides..

 

..Ms Bustier trusted her with that job after all.

 

Everyone begun their picks and choosing, pulling out items to make room, and alerting where they were hiding. Juleka found a nice locker, Alix following by, when Rose grabbed her shoulder.

 

"Jules, you okay?"

 

"I'm-" Juleka pretended to wince, closing her eyes for one- two- three- Before she opened them and smiled weakly. She tugged a sleeve quick and short over her kissed wrist and she slunk into her locker. "Yeah. I'll see you soon, Rose."

 

"R-right," Rose said weakly, as she helped Juleka close the locker. Juleka suppressed a sigh and tried to calm her breathing as Plagg pulled out of her hoodie. He snickered silently at her and she rolled her eyes playfully.. 

 

Pulling her sleeve back up- she began some touch ups on her kiss mark. It wasn't perfect, and she wasn't sure if it looked exactly like the very crisp and fake looking kiss marks the others had- but so long as they got just a glimpse of it, they'd get the idea she was infected and it'd be perfect. 

 

Her eyes thinned. She hated to trick others. But she'd have to now wouldn't she. Juleka liked her zombie movies with a good spice of horror instead of pure action anyways.

 

"Hello is anyone in here!?"

 

Shit. Ok well this was good. This meant, the plan might work- WAS GOING TO- work... and then Panthera could jump in and help Ladybug save all their friends and and.. NO ONE.. WAS GOING TO DIE.. AHAH- NOT LIKE THEY- were already five people down.! Ahaha..! FUCk.

 

Juleka tried to breathe slowly as she heard Ladybug's steps echo through her ears. Stay calm. It's gonna work. You're gonna sneak away and it's gonna be perfect.

 

"Ladybug! AGH-" Juleka jolted as she heard Chloe's voice cut off with a yelp and a reverberating slam. Juleka squeaked. She wanted to check on her but she ceased her move. It felt like fighting off every bone of concern in her body but she managed to win the battle so in her locker she stayed.

 

"Oops! Sorry! Uh... Reflex."

 

She could hear them talking in muffled voices outside her door. Wait? Would they even notice she was gone? She'd win either way but- she wasn't the most memorable member of the class and.. Oh shit she heard steps.

 

Through the cracks she could see Rose's body just a little, slowly peeking at her door before stumbling back with fright.

 

"No, no no no, oh no, Jules! She hasn't come out of her locker, you guys.!"

 

"Wait? Juleka? Oh no did she..?" Kim began. 

 

"I knew I saw something on her..!"

 

Juleka was semi relieved. Like. It was nice she was remembered. And also noticed. Her plan worked!

 

"Someone check the locker!"

 

Aw crap. Should she make noises? She could see a spot of red approaching through the cracks. Oh no. Oh no she was going to open it. Why would she open it- she could be a zombie- that's unproper zombie etiquette.

 

"Maybe you shouldn't open it." Alix's voice commented.

 

See?

 

But Ladybug was reaching for the door. Juleka blanched as Plagg hid behind her and she knew, conceptually, what she probably had to do. But the spike of embarrassment that flooded color into her cheeks was most a bit too much.

 

Do I really have to say the thing?

 

JUST SUCK IT UP AND DO IT-

 

The locker suddenly opened. Juleka leaned out of the locker slowly and let out a drawn, dazed look, eyes half lidded as she began to reach out towards the group.

 

"K..Kissou.." She drawled as sleepily as she could.

 

KILL ME NOW. Juleka thought tiredly, before she let out a cut off yelp as Ladybug unceremoniously slammed her back into the locker and banged the door shut against her face. She bit back a wince of stinging pain as her head rang from hitting the brass behind her as she tried to focus. 

 

The sounds of her classmates screaming with horror was a little gratifying. She always wanted to be a horror movie monster. Like those cool haunted house gigs. But hearing Rose terrified of her made her quite sad. 

 

And also her face kinda hurt. Ow.

 

Juleka sat tight with unsure feelings as her classmates were yelling outside her locker. Alya clicked the dots she wanted, reasoning with the testimonies of Kim and Rose that Juleka must've gotten kissed by the stairs and Juleka felt like she gained a point from that. But she wouldn't dare say luck was on her side.

 

A sudden slam almost made her gasp. Juleka squinted as she could barely see through the cracks that the- shit- people for sure noticed them inside here now. Slamming their hands against the one way window. Juleka held her ring tight. 

 

"We need to head to the roof!"

 

The roof. Got it. Easy enough. The class ran after Ladybug, out of Juleka's sight line. But Rose stayed behind for a spell, grazing a hand over the locker with a sad frown. Juleka's eyes softened as she reached a hand out and put it against the cold door.

 

I'll keep you safe, my sunbeam, don't worry. Juleka watched her go and could hear Ladybug kick open the window. The sound of her yoyo whizzed through her ears and Juleka watched as the hoard busted through the locker room door. There was Ivan, Mylene, and Sabrina. I'm so sorry guys.

 

Juleka sighed. What to do now?

 

Plagg floated up beside her. She glanced at him, eyebrow raising with confusion as he smiled at her smugly

 

"Admit it. That was all just a ploy to try and get a kiss out of RoooOoose." Plagg teased suddenly, waggling his little cat eyebrows. Juleka glared at him grumpily, her arms crossing inside the locker.

 

"Oh come on what was I supposed to do?" Juleka scoffed, shaking her head before he could retort. She cracked her knuckles. "Alright, business time, Plagg! Also if you tie my hair up, I'll getcha an extra camembert! Claws Out!"

 

...

 

"Don't be Bemused, it's just the news! Yet again, it seems citizens of Paris are in great danger. Since this morning, a strange disease is spreading."

 

"What should we do..." Ladybug muttered.

 

Panthera landed on the roof with a thud, the class turned to see her with varying states of emotion. From panic, to hope, to shock, to relief. Juleka smiled at her friends, safe and sound for now, and did her best to lighten the mood a little more.

 

"Hey guys, I'm all for our French greetings, but let's hold off on the kisses for now, huh?" She winked casually as she made her way over to the red hero with a smile. "It's not the best time, after all. A bit controversial even."

 

Ladybug smiled slowly, glancing at her up and down.

 

"Your hair is in a braid today." She commented lightly. That was true. Panthera's biggest pet peeve was seeing characters in action movies and stuff casually with their hair down, or just in some pony tail.

 

Their hair could still totally fly in their face or get yanked. Now, Panthera wasn't ever going to cut her hair for.. a few different reasons.. but she didn't want any love zombies grabbing her.

 

Lombies? Zombloves?

 

Oh whatever.

 

"Yeah? It, it is in a braid. What do you think? D-Do you like it?" Panthera's voice fell into a short murmur of worry as she played with some of her bangs. She hadn't actually checked. She was in a rush to get to the roof she didn't really look at herself yet. The class hummed, looking her up and down and she got some good thumbs ups before Alix held up a hand to speak.

 

"You look like diet Jinx." Alix deadpanned.

 

"Hey." Juleka glared.

 

"Actually Ms Bustier kinda does right now. Minus the braid. Walmart Jinx." Alix thought on it a bit more. She squinted. "I need to shut up."

 

"Yeah you do- anyways!"

 

"What was that you mangy-!"

 

"We're all glad to have your cheerful attitude here, Panthera. But could you come over? The news is on." Ladybug smiled, waving her yoyo at the cat. Juleka stuck her tongue out at the skater and sauntered over to see Ladybug's yoyo screen.

 

"Yooo I didn't know you could do that dudes." Nino murmured as the class began trying to lean over them as well. Juleka chuffed. The news was indeed on, and on screen, Nadja Chamack appeared with a very anxious expression.

 

"Hordes of kissing zombies are spreading throughout Paris! They're rising at a tremendous rate and the speed of contagious-ness is incredibly high. Chances of it being an akuma has been speculated but if it is we trust Ladybug and Panthera Noire to take care of it. But for now, let's go over to our Mayor, Mr. Bourgeois, live from City Hall." 

 

"Isn't that outside?" Panthera commented.

 

"Uh oh." Ladybug said.

 

Mr Bourgeois stood on a podium on screen, many microphones posed to him.

 

"We advise all Parisians to remain inside at this time! If you or any of your family- what- WHAT THE-"

 

It was then that Roger suddenly flew out from the side of the screen and attacked Mr Bourgeois to the ground. Screaming. The feed was immediately cut off as the news cut back to a befuddled and horrified Nadja.

 

"DAD!" Chloe shrieked. "OH GOD!"

 

"M-Mr Mayor? Mr Mayor!"

 

"Welp. You and Sabrina are sisters now." Kim said flatly, getting an elbow to the stomach. It was then on screen a familiar flying lipstick came approaching Nadja ominously, the news reporter screamed.

 

"I-It looks like we're having a s-slight technical issue..! Oh god- rUN!" It hit her face and her body suddenly fell slack. Juleka bit her lip with fear as their teacher came on screen slowly, her slow drawn out smile spiking an angry emotion within her. How could Hawkmoth do this to Ms Bustier..

 

"I took care of your father, Chloé. Show yourself! I just want you to feel what you deserve! Love!" Zombizou demanded on screen, sending Chloe screaming as she stumbled backwards away from the yoyo. Zombizou grinned. "And wherever you are, Ladybug and Panthera Noire? I'm coming for you, too. Mwah!"

 

She left a dark lip stick stain on the screen, giggling.

 

"Unless, of course, my sweethearts get hold of you first; because very soon, the whole city will be hot on your heels!" She cackled lovingly, her pink eyes scorching hot into Juleka's heart with a deep anguish. "Good luck~!"

 

Ladybug angrily snapped her yoyo shut. Juleka's ears flattened against her face as she held the girl's shoulder. Marinette's face twisted with guilt as she tried to hide her sniffling tears. Partner..

 

"God damn it!" Alix kicked the ground with rage. She spun around at the shaking blonde. "We're all fucked! Thanks Chloe!"

 

"I get it! I know! You don't have to REMIND ME!" Chloe snarled back at her, trying tor regain her bearings. 

 

"Calm down you guys." Juleka found the strength to order at the two girls. The last thing they need is a fight to break out on the roof. Someone could fall off. Or worse, hurt someone's feelings. Actually falling off a roof probably would hurt more.

 

"Maybe we can use Chloe as bait?" Alya suggested. "I mean, they're kinda after us anyways."

 

"Hey." Chloe glared. Juleka didn't like that idea. But Alya is right. We're just playing cat and mouse now. This isn't a matter of winning the battle. It's about surviving this entire thing until the right moment.

 

"THEY'RE COMING!" Rose suddenly screamed. Juleka spun around, running to Rose protectively before she gasped. They watched as a hoard of zombied students began climbing over onto the roof, their bodies writhing and their lips horrifically puckered.

 

"We've gotta evacuate!" Ladybug shouted, looking over the roof and pointing down. Juleka spotted a bus. The red hero turned to her with an expecting smile. "You know how to drive, right Panthera?"

 

"Uh, bikes, motorcycles, boats.." Juleka mumbled, counting on her fingers before she shook her head. "Nope, not buses.

 

"What?! I thought you knew how to drive!" Ladybug squawked.

 

"Not four wheeled things!" Panthera replied, waving her hands. Adrien pushed between them reluctantly.

 

"U-um! I do!" Adrien waved a nervous hand. Ladybug and Panthera shared a look and Panthera waved a hand.

 

"Model's first?" Ladybug asked.

 

"I'll make a way down for him first, you thinking what I'm thinking, partner?"

 

"Hand me your belt and extend your staff as far as possible!"

 

Panthera nodded. Taking a few steps back, She made a running leap flying off the school roof, she almost slammed a dent into the top of the bus as she landed, hard, rolling a couple feet before shaking the impact off. She gave a thumbs up at her partner.

 

Adrien was sent down first, and immediately Panthera kicked a way in for him as hoards of zombies began surrounding the bus.

 

"Be careful, blondie!" She quipped as she lowered the boy inside.

 

"I will!" He smiled. The next person was up, and Juleka's heart almost shot out of her as she saw Rose flying down next, her girlfriend letting out a squeal. Panthera caught her quickly, sharing a little smile.

 

"It's been a while, Princess." Panthera greeted with a toothy smile.

 

"Hi Panthera" Rose giggled.

 

...

 

Up on the roof, it was getting worse. A lot more crowded than Alix would really like.

 

When she was hoping for an interesting day, she really wasn't hoping for this.

 

Then again, She did love zombie movies. But then again, this seemed to be the worst kind ever. Alix was really hoping for some like, cool, traumatizing gore, or like, bashing heads in, or cool survivor outfits. Not.. you know. This.

 

"MAX NO!" Kim shrieked, hand outstretched with panic. There were tears in his eyes as his voice dripped with melodrama. "HOW WILL I RAISE OUR CHILD ALONE!? AS A MERE WIDOW!"

 

Max had went down when a zombie started charging at them. He decided to open his arms and push them back. His shouts of effort melting before his efforts to fight soon dissolved as well. His head turned slowly at them and his eyes glowed an enchanted violet.

 

"Kissou.." He growled.

 

Kim fell to the ground with his knees, fists shaking at the air as he let out a bellowing scream.

 

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-"

 

"Hey, where even is Markov?" Chloe asked as the jock wailed at the universe. They could hear Ladybug shouting behind them as her body strained from trying to hold back the hoard with her yoyo and also trying to help Alix get attached to the staff.

 

"Not in this episode I guess." Alix shrugged.

 

"What the hell does that mean?" Chloe squinted.

 

"Forget it." Alix rolled her eyes. Chloe stared at her for a long moment, shifting. She was staring at Alix for a long, long second. Alix glanced at the zombies and her. "Um. Hello? Need a push? Give me some help?"

 

"Oh, right, I just.." Chloe began before shaking her head. "Ugh just go."

 

Alix was sent down the zipline. It was actually quite exhilarating and she let out a few excited whoops as the wind clawed through her hair. Panthera caught her quickly, giving a little wink.

 

"Short stuff." The cat hero greeted. Alix rolled her eyes.

 

"Believe it or not, my favorite is Ladybug." Alix smirked. She didn't mean it. She liked both of the heroes. But anything to banter with Panthera. She felt less like a hero and more of a friend weirdly enough.

 

"Oh shut." Panthera chuffed. But it was then, that they heard a shriek at the roof. Alix was in the middle of being hoisted downwards into the bus when they saw the cat hero's staff suddenly slip.

 

Chloe was speedlining right down but in the wrong direction. Alix squeaked as Panthera dropped her inside unceremoniously as Chloe flew by them and she was hanging over a roup of zombies. Reaching for her ankles.

 

Alix felt her heart drop. She rushed to look through the window as the bustling care was loud with shouts. Where was Kim? She looked up and could see him still on the roof, though his body was swaying unnaturally. Damn it Kimbo. And Chloe..?

 

She glanced to the other window. Panthera couldn't get to her. Not safely! She was barely able to distract the group of zombies that were at Chloe's hanging heels.

 

"Shit! Chloe's stuck!" Adrien shouted.

 

"No shit!" Nino said. Alix began to breathe heavily. Her hands balled at her sides.

 

"What do we do!?" Adrien sputtered at them, knuckles white as he gripped the bus wheel. His panic strewn across his face like a painful splatter of pain. His eyes wide and darting to each person in the bus. Begging. Pleading. For instruction. "Do I drive?! Do I drive!?"

 

"We can't leave her behind though!" Rose cried, her eyes began to drag downwards for the door button. Her hand reaching for it. "We-"

 

But a hand swiped by and slammed down against the button before her, running out of the bus's door. The bus's passengers had barely any time to think or recognize before Alya managed to grasp her language and scream out- 

 

"Wh- ALIX!" Alya shouted after her, being held back by Nino. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"

 

She had NO FUCKING IDEA!

 

Alix ran across the ground, ducking under arms and kicking them down. Her chest heaved and her mind swirled with unsureness but she thought one single thing- and that was to save Her. 

 

"I'm coming Chloe! Hang on!" Alix shouted, as sweat rolled down her face. Even out in the open, the ever growing claustrophobia that every person in this hoard of Paris's population could Get her was nearly suffocating. She could hear from afar, Panthera Noire making a holler, shouting and screaming to keep the hoard at bay, but even then, she was still ducking under arms and faces to reach- Her- finally.

 

"Alix!" Chloe shouted, but she slipped, and even as Alix tried to brace her fall she fell, bad. A bad crack was heard and Chloe let out a shriek of pain. Alix knelt at her side immediately, hyper focused, and quickly picked her up in her arms as the hoard made a harsh turn towards the weakened cry. "ALIX!"

 

"I KNOW!" Alix snarled, but she was slowed down by the new heavy weight, trying to run but not trip- she was almost there it wasn't far-

 

Then something grabbed her leg-

 

Alix closed her eyes and just ripped it away, as fast as she could. Without thinking or registering the horrid what if on whether she felt lips connect to her leg, just deciding to run, to just fucking run-

 

They dove back into the bus, the crash full of an immense pain as they slammed into the hard floor and then the wall as the bus suddenly lurched forward. Alix looked upward dizzily, everything was spinning.

 

"D-dude what the fuck is- WOAgh-" The bus rocked forward again, sending Alix slamming back onto the ground. Or well. What would've been the ground, as Alix's eyes fluttered open once more to see Chloe beneath her, wide eyed and pink. Alix sputtered, stumbling off of her and, grasping some railing, pulled Chloe up to her feet.

 

The bus lunged again, and this time Chloe was knocked into her, she let out a gasp of pain as she grappled onto the skater who's face was feeling deathly hot, every touch like liquid fire, before the heiress turned and began to snap at their awful driver.

 

"Would you stop that!" Chloe shrieked.

 

"Adrien you said you knew how to drive!" Ladybug shouted.

 

"I've mastered every car and racetrack in Extreme Racing 3, but there are no buses in that game!" Adrien cried out, his hands fumbling at the wheel. Alix squinted at him. It looked like there were four of him right now.. that was weird.. when'd he dye his hair purp-purple..

 

"God, I'm gonna be sick-" Nino wobbled uneasily as the bus kept it's odd wobbly stop and go pace. Alix's eyes closed. At least Chloe was safe. She was hurt. But she was safe. And all she wanted was that. In fact, all she wanted was her. To be with her right now..

 

"Hey, Chlo's hurt, I'mgonna help her gosssssit down righnow, kay?" Alix slurred uneasily as she began leaning to hold Chloe a bit closer, hand on her hip. Why was it so hard to speak? Must be the movement. She could barely feel the ground beneath her.

 

Panthera gave her a thumbs up, her eyes focused on the road as her hair stood up on end. Hahaha, like a cat. Like a kitty, witty, kissy, cat.. That's so.. funny.

 

"Alix, are you alright?" Chloe whispered as Alix helped sit her down at the back. Alix sighed, and plopped down next to her with a wince.

 

Alix smiled at her.

 

"I'm so.. car sick righ'now." She replied blankly. Chloe suddenly laughed, it was so beautiful. When they were kids, Alix loved to make Chloe laugh. She'd do all sorts of weird stuff. Like dunk her head in fruit punch.

 

Or throw a bunch of hot wheels at the ground where a bunch of snotty adults were standing and watch them slip. Alix would do all sorts of silly faces.. and.. it was so fun. They had so much fun back then. Alix's eyes fell half lidded as she thought about the warmth. 

 

Why'd she feel so awful at the same time too though? Must be the car sickness? Adrien sucks at driving..

 

"I'm sorry about today." Chloe suddenly whispered. Alix's eyes widened.

 

"What do you mean?" She mumbled, scooching closer to her as she let her head lean on her shoulder. Chloe felt warm. Alix wanted Chloe to just be okay. That fall must've hurt a lot. Alix felt bad. Alix didn't want Chloe to cry. She never did. Then everything got so complicated and hateful..

 

"What do I- don't be ridiculous, Alix.." Chloe scowled, as her hands covered her face. Alix stared at her as her shoulders began to shake. "I fucked, everything up. I fucked Ms Bustier's birthday up, I fucked this class up, I-I fucked our friendship up.."

 

"H-hey.. we.." Alix's eyes widened with a moment of clearness. Her hand reached for Chloe's as she gave it a precious squeeze. Alix's eyebrows furrowed. It hurt, to have her heart so open. To speak what she felt when it felt so much more, safer, to just not. But she had to. "We're working on that.. we're gonna work on that.."

 

"But I fucked it up worse today.. I know you're pissed at me.." Chloe hissed. Alix tried to focus on her she really was. But the bus was fading from her ability to feel. Chloe herself was becoming fuzzy and that frightened her. She had to get closer so she could see her better. How was she this carsick.. she had to be carsick..

 

"I.. was.. earlier.. but you're not that. You mess up sometimes but you're trying, and that's special.. I..." Alix weakly shrugged but she leaned a little closer, Chloe's eyes widening as she realized how close. Her face was heating up, could she feel this same fever Alix was feeling? "The anger's.. not what I am, right now. I wanted to protect you.. cause I care about you, you know..? I wanna show you.."

 

Could Chloe count the hair upon her face, could Chloe memorize every freckle? Like Alix was doing right now?

 

Maybe she shouldn't have worn that hoodie today.. she felt like she was on fire and that was just so odd.. and the thumping in her head had to be the adrenaline because she that's what she was begging it to be. Because if it was anything else, Alix was doomed to hate herself in the moment where all she felt was.. all she felt was..

 

Alix's sharpest blue eyes burned into Chloe's. 

 

"I wanna show you, Chloe.." Alix whispered quietly, hissed through her teeth as a hand caressed her soft cheek. She had to say something now. When she was still. Here? When she was still close when when when when- "Cause I.. I.."

 

"Alix.." Chloe breathed in sharply, her breath like a gasp as their fingers intertwined.

 

Alix smiled softly, because she wasn't allowed to feel sadness anymore. It was all fading fast now and soon there'd be nothing left. I'm the fucking worst.. Her last lucid thought spat with despair as her body numbed her out completely and said one, awful, line..

 

Her violet eyes closed. 

 

"Kissou.."

 

...

 

"FUCK!"

 

Juleka stumbled backwards, her body rocking with the bus as they were closing in on the Eiffel Tower, though her eyes widened with horror when she saw what the commotion at the back of the bus was.

 

Chloe's face was torn with horror and despair as she was shoving Alix's body back, wrestling with arms and slamming her against the side of the bus wall. Alix's body wrinkled backwards, shaking her head dizzily before her eyes opened slowly with a dazed drowsy smile. Pink, glowing, eyes.

 

"God DAMN IT KUBDEL..!" Chloe nearly screamed out a sob as she tried to crawl away. "YOU STUPID FUCKING IDIOT!"

 

"Kissou..!" The infected Alix drawled, it was sickening to look at, before rage turned to fear as she started trying to charge at them. Shit she was a runner.!

 

"CHLOE!" Ladybug shouted, snapping her yoyo forward as Chloe lunged to the front, slamming into the floor. Alix was too fast- what if-!

 

"ROSE NO!" Juleka screamed, reaching outwards. It had been a split second. But Rose had managed to shoot forwards from her seat and block the skater's way. The skater immediately starting attacking her and Juleka's heart wrenched.

 

No.. No..! ROSE! Juleka's heart felt like it was shattered in two. To see Rose in danger was one thing. To see her in a danger she could've prevented..! She felt nothing but complete shame and humiliation in her heart as the pathetic Panthera Noire just stood there, helpless..

 

..AND SHE TOTALLY WASN'T JEALOUS RIGHT NOW..!

 

"I'm a taken woman I'm a taken woman I'm a taken woman..!" Rose repeated panickily as she held Alix back with her arms. She looked back at the heroes weakly, her expression pained a full of panic despite her desperate attempt to sound peppy. "I.. I trust you guys.! With my full heart.!"

 

They managed to stop in front of the Eiffel Tower, finally. Panthera picked up Chloe from the floor as Rose gave them a weak, dizzy smile.

 

"I believe in you, Ladybug and Panthera! Please save us.!" Rose squeaked, her eyes slowly falling shut. Juleka's heart sank to her stomach, and when the doors opened, she had to force herself to run.

 

"Stay together and follow me!" Panthera shouted.

 

She kicked open the door for Alya and Nino and turned back to check on Ladybug who ran past them with tears in her eyes and.. No Adrien.

 

Chloe looked back with an expression of sorrow, as did Juleka. He was manning the bus. So he had to close it behind Ladybug. Adrien didn't last five seconds in there and his muffled yells from inside the bus stung deep under their skin.

 

The infected Alix stared at them through the glass door, hand scraping against it as her intensely pink eyes bore into them. And while her dazed, signature Zombizou infected smile did not leave her lips, something about her expression looked sad.

 

"Come on, Chlo. We've got an apocalypse to bust," She whispered assuredly, nudging Chloe a little.

 

"Y-yeah, okay.." Chloe sniffed. Neither was too sure. Juleka's ears flattened against her head. She glanced at Chloe, all her friends had been picked off now. She hoisted her up a bit closer and began running after the group once more.

 

...

 

"Nino! The vending machine!"

 

"Right!"

 

They sealed the door shut. There were zombies on all sides of them, barely separated by black gates. They were so close! Nino might actually survive this thing! With his friends! But seeing Adrien gone, something in him was shattering and he was barely holding on.

 

Alya rushed to the elevator first, eyes aflame with determination to lead, to protect everyone. To save the day. His best friend was a hero. But then..

 

"Come on come on come on..!" Alya shouted, slamming her hand against the elevator's buttons, desperately.  But as soon as the doors opened for them, time slowed down for Nino as she was tackled to the ground in a stream of kissing faces. Alya shrieked. And so did Nino.

 

"ALYA NO.!" Ladybug shrieked with horror but Alya was already swarmed, she screamed for help and immediately Nino and Ladybug were by her side, ripping the brainwashed zombies off and pinning them to the floor.

 

She was slowly sat up, picking up her limbs one by one, but their eyes were widened with shock and terror at the sight of the kiss marks all over her body. Burnt into her skin an unforgiving curse. Alya was.. doomed..

 

"ALYA.. Alya no nonononono nononon...!" Ladybug voice sobbed with panic, her body hanging over the blogger. "Nono no No NO NO NO!"

 

"It's too late.." Panthera stumbled backwards in horror, holding Chloe tighter in her arms. The cat hero was making her way into the elevator while Nino gazed blankly at his friend. There was just a blank stare in his eyes. It.. she..

 

Alya struggled to look straight, but even then, she did her best to softly clasp Ladybug by the hands, tender and gentle. As if she was trying to pour every ounce of comfort into her hero. Their hero.. Ladybug.. can fix this.. Alya's eyes were unfocused but she continued to look Ladybug straight in the eye to speak- 

 

"It's okay- just go and save us all," Alya smiled warmly, letting go of Ladybug's hands. Nino smiled to himself. A sense of numbing despair hitting him. His best friend was such a loser. He sighed, tugging at his hat, would could he do?

 

He stepped back and..

 

"N- Nino? Nino!" Ladybug yelped as Nino shoved her into the open elevator, she yelped as her back hit Panthera and her eyes widened. Her hand reached out towards him as he knelt beside the dazed Alya. "NINO NO!"

 

"PARTNER STAND BACK!"

 

He just saluted with his hat and watched as Ladybug screamed his name as the doors closed, sending the heroes and his classmate spiraling upwards to god knows where. He didn't care. He wouldn't be joining them.

 

Nino sighed serenely, as Alya twitched and struggled next to him, her breathing uncontrolled and her eyes already seeped into that cursed pink he watched everyone succumb to. He wouldn't leave her behind.

 

"This isn't the first time we've been in trouble together." Nino looked over at his friend- or whatever was left of her- with a kind and welcoming smile, nudging her with his elbow playfully. "But I promise, it won't be the last. Once we get out of this, of course.. heh."

 

He opened his arms as Alya stared at him with a wild, inhuman gaze, matching the hoard around them.

 

"Kissou..!"

 

"No hetero, dude." Nino weakly laughed lightheartedly, his last joke before complete obliteration in the worst zombie apocalypse on earth.

 

...

 

Ladybug slammed her hand against the door. Her eyes smoldered with rage. Panthera held Chloe close to her

 

"Damn it.!" She snarled shakingly. Her eyes bitten with tears. "God- god fucking damn it! Son of a bitch.!"

 

Everyone was gone. Everyone was depending on her..!

 

"..you'll save all of us, like you always do, right?" Kim asked weakly.

 

"I.. I trust you guys.! With my full heart.! I believe in you, Ladybug and Panthera! Please save us.!" Rose squeaked.

 

"It's okay- just go and save us all," Alya smiled warmly, letting go of Ladybug's hands.

 

Marinette's heart felt like it was bleeding. Because what if she Did fail? Did they ever think that? How could they depend entirely on her? She was just Marinette in a red mask? How could they believe she'd save them all when she couldn't save them.!

 

Panthera's ear twitched.

 

"It doesn't matter that we're the only ones left, Partner, since you'll fix it all in the end anyway." The cat hero tried to reassure her, stretching out a hand. "It'll be okay."

 

"I don't want to be the important one..!" Ladybug shocked her with a scream. She inhaled sharply and sighed. Her body deflating with her hope. She turned to them. "What if I can't fix this problem this time?"

 

"But you're going to." Panthera said sternly, her eyebrows furrowed. "I'm not saying that for me, I'm saying that for you."

 

Ladybug sniffled, nodding. The doors opened and immediately they were charged at by zombies. Ladybug steeled herself with a calm and heavy breath as the closed in, and shot herself forward.

 

"Straight ahead.!" She shouted, flipping over the reaching hands of many. Like a ballerina in the air. "To Gustave Eiffel's office!"

 

"Panthera PANTHERA PANTHERA!" Chloe shrieked. "LEFT LEFT LEFT!"

 

"I SEE IT! I SEE IT!" The cat hero yelled back. Ladybug could see her from the corner her eye the hero holding up Chloe painfully as she tried to dodge and parry. But it was Panthera's mistake to expect a fight with people throwing punches, or fighting to fight, instead of the mere puppets of moving bodies trying to reach for her and swarm.

 

"GAGH!" One launched at her from the side. Ladybug's eyes widened as she turned around. Panthera's eyes snapped wide open as she held Chloe over her head and barreled the girl through the air. "LADYBUG.. CATCH.!"

 

Chloe shrieked with fear as she went flying through the air. Ladybug shoved down another zombie and shouted with fear, barely catching Chloe over the edge. Panthera snarled as she snapped but her staff and began grabbing people back.. as they began attacking her.

 

"F-Fughck..!" Panthera choked out, holding a wall of zombies back. "Chloe, P-Partner..-"

 

The heroine looked up at Panthera and her heart dropped. Panthera just smiled at her with tired eyes. Her face was smeared with the infectious lipstick as the cat hero held herself like a shaking figure of atlas, holding the group of zombies back with her struggling form. Barely holding her own weight.

 

"Panthera!" Ladybug cried with horror as she held Chloe in her arms. "N-No.! Please.!"

 

"-I'm trusting you both, I'm sorry..! No arguing now!" Panthera grimaced out at her. Marinette's heart dropped as she watched Panthera smile kindly at her, before wheezing and trying to strain her body up. "GO!"

 

"PANTHERA!" Chloe shrieked.

 

"I SAID FUCKING GO!" Panthera snarled, Chloe's face falling. Marinette looked down at her bully weakly before grimacing. As she turned back and ran into the Eiffel's office, slamming and locking the door behind her.

 

...

 

Panthera smiled weakly as she watched the door close, before her eyes began to weigh hard and the bodies that she held back were beginning to shove harder. 

 

"Fuck.." The cat hero whimpered defeatedly, her knee began to buckle. Her vision blurring as her senses of up and down began to wane. Just when she said.. fuck.. She felt like a real knocker now. "I'm sorry guys.. I'm sorry.. R-Rose.."

 

Juleka fell.

 

...

 

It was all up to Ladybug now.

 

She set Chloe down and began looking around desperately.

 

What to do what to do? She was all alone now. She was all alone.!

 

She had to fix everything. She had to fix everything. That's what she promised. What everyone was relying on her to do. Cause she was the hero. Marinette was the hero. Who fixed everything. Because she Had to fix everything.

 

Ladybug was the fixer.

 

She was the king on the chess board.

 

She was the jenga piece that would bring the whole tower down if she was pulled.

 

Ladybug buried her hands in her face.

 

"Oh god, this is bad, this is bad, this can't be how it ends. Not by a goddamn love zombie apocalypse." Ladybug whimpered into her hands. Everyone was willing to die if she lived. She had to do something. She was the hero now. She was the one who would end it all. She gulped hard and numbed herself to nothing but seriousness. "It's down to you and me, Chloe."

 

She looked around. Where the hell did she!?-

 

"Chloe!?" She shouted before hearing a squeak and looking down to see Chloe crunched up beneath a table. The bully's knees were close to her chest. Her eyes stuck wide with fear and teary red with remorse. It shocked Ladybug's system to see her like this. Chloe sniffled.

 

"At least I won't get in your way now." Chloe croaked, as the hoard banged their hands on the windows around them. Chloe held herself tighter. "Good luck!"

 

Marinette's jaw fell and she forced herself to stand, and when she did, did she meet the eyes of the devil through the glass.

 

"Hand over Chloé and your Miraculous, Ladybug." Zombizou demanded with a sweet smile. "Then I might just let you witness the final triumph of love! Before you come to embrace it as well. Just like everyone else in Paris, and soon, everyone in the world."

 

Ladybug grimaced, raising a hand.

 

"Lucky charm." She growled at Zombizou.

 

"Alright, fine. Be that way then. You've got no chance, sweetheart." Zombizou cooed from beyond the window with a pitying tsk. "We'll take care of you quick."

 

Ladybug grimaced at her as she beholded her, oh.

 

"Make-up remover? Ok, I don't know what you're gonna do with that." Chloe deadpanned from beneath the desk. Marinette 'hmph'ed, gripping it hard. Her eyes glanced around, one thing catching her eye- when suddenly- the roof caved in with a crumbling black explosion.

 

"CATACLYSM.!"

 

"Panthera Noire!" Marinette gasped with hope. It was foolish to assume. But perhaps she was so desperate in her terror that even under the impossible odds, she was expecting green eyes instead of pink. But there did Panthera's head slowly drag upwards, her teeth pulled into a lazy droopy smile.

 

"Kissou.." Panthera sang.

 

"Yep. Nope. Fuck that." Chloe immediately started running backwards, dragging Ladybug with her as Panthera came dangerously close to pouncing on them.

 

Her body writhed and crawled within the horrifyingly cluttered space, close, tight, claustrophobic. Ladybug barely squeezed by a column to grab the Gustave Eiffel's model's scarf as Panthera reached and snarled at her.

 

"Kissou..!" Panthera pressed harder. It's so unnatural to hear her like this.! Ladybug thought as she began applying the makeup remover frantically to the scarf. 

 

"Don't worry, Kitty!" Ladybug gasped, ducking under another pounce and blocking a swipe with a swift kick. "I'm gonna free you from this I swear! But first, I have a Lucky Charm I need to use. Just be patient a little while longer!"

 

It was then that Chloe's voice returned again, back under the desk.

 

"I'm sorry!" Chloe shouted.

 

"For what?!" Marinette squawked, ducking under a punch as she continued wrapping her yoyo.

 

"For- I ruined everything! I'm sorry!" Chloe cried out, hugging herself tight. Marinette's head spun to look at her, trying to juggle both sights at once.

 

"Awesome. But...now's not exactly a good time.!"

 

"Kissou..!" Panthera snarled and grabbed her by the ankle and flipped her. Ladybug let out a shout of pain as she slammed into the ground. Panthera had a lot more brute force in her than she maybe realized. Or at least, Panthera was just always very good at keeping herself controlled.!

 

Ladybug looked upwards and blanched as Panthera loomed over her. Her violet eyes spiraling Ladybug into despair. Shit.. shit.. Shit..!

 

It was then that a desk suddenly flew at Panthera. The mind controlled hero snarled, stepping backwards and shaking her head as the desk shattered into what looked like millions of wood chip pieces.

 

"Kissou..!" Panthera drawled, smile barely fled from her face.

 

"Ugh! This is more annoying than you when you were chatty!" Chloe shouted, she turned to Ladybug. Marinette felt her chest drop. Chloe demanded her rescue so often, but she'd never seen true desperation and trust in her eyes before. It was daunting. "Don't even think I'm getting kissed! Ignore that possibility! Just go! Just go! Just go! Just go and finish this! So you can save us all! This is the final stretch already so just do it!"

 

Marinette's eyes bugged out before she summoned herself to her feet and yanked herself out of the room. Don't LOOK BACK..! She screamed to herself as she climbed the rest of the way up the Eiffel Tower. She stared out at her city, barely able to hear the zombies over her thundering heart.

 

Marinette gripped her yoyo tight to her. Her one plan. It'd work. It was going to work. It had to work.

 

Because she was Ladybug.

 

Ladybug was always right. Ladybug was always the priority.

 

Ladybug always won..!

 

Because she had to! If she didn't.! Nothing would be left.!

 

NOTHING WOULD BE LEFT..!

 

Zombizou leapt upon the roof a sinisterly sweet smile upon her cheeks.

 

"You're all alone, Ladybug!" Zombizou shouted, voice echoing over the city around them. Ladybug swung her yoyo beside her, eyes an intense icy blue. Zombizou gestured around them, opening her arms around them. "It'll be easy! It'll be wonderful! All that rage your feeling, you won't have to feel it anymore! Accept my love, and give me your Miraculous!"

 

"LOVE?" Ladybug waved an around them. Her every breath thrumming with energy. "THIS IS NOT WHAT LOVE LOOKS LIKE! MS BUSTIER KNOWS THAT! AND YOU ARE NOT HER! YOU ARE A CAGE! AND I'M SAVING THE TEACHER YOU'VE CORRUPTED, HAWKMOTH!"

 

Zombizou glared, a crackling butterfly visor appearing upon the woman's face. She shot a few black kisses at her to which Ladybug dodged with quickened breath. Ladybug took her chance. THEY END IT NOW-

 

She took a shot at Zombizou. With a swipe that was so precise- she watched with delight as it did Exactly as she wanted. The luckiest shot ever.

 

Zombizou growled and reached to blow another kiss before her face dropped when she found no lipstick remaining. Ladybug smirked.

 

"You missing something?" Ladybug quipped. Zombizou growled, taking out her lipgloss to reapply when Ladybug snatched her by the wrists. Zombizou gasped as Ladybug took a running start and kicked her teacher off the side of the Eiffel Tower.

 

"NOO!"

 

Ladybug acted quick, as she snatched the flying lipgloss out of the air, before yanking the akuma back up onto the roof in a rough slam. Ladybug breathed heavily, her hair hanging strands over her face that dripped sweat- before she crushed her present in her hands.

 

"No more evil-doing for you, little akuma."

 

...

 

When Chloe woke up, she went through a few phases of lucidness. Her efforts to try and collect the blurriness of her brain and make sense with her returning memories.

 

What.. happened? 

 

Her body felt sore and exhausted. Was it time for school? Did she miss her alarms.

 

Then she remembered what day it was, what happened today, and where her day ended when Panthera nearly followed Ladybug up the roof and Chloe had to body tackle her, resulting in her, well, love zombie-fication somehow. 

 

Then she found herself held in Panthera's arms, faces inches apart. The two jumped from each other, screaming for a second before sighing. Nope. They were safe. They didn't kiss. Or at least, the moment before the miraculous cure they didn't. They were gonna pretend they never did. Hahaha.

 

This was an awful day.

 

Panthera sighed, "Well, I need to take a nice bath after this. Looks like things worked out. How's your ankle?"

 

"My ankle?" Chloe blinked.

 

"You twisted it, remember?" Panthera pointed out. Oh. She moved it around a little. Nope. No more pain. She held up a thumbs up and Panthera smiled. "That's good to hear."

 

Yeah.. Alix. Wait. Alix.! Ms Bustier too.! Sabrina.!

 

The zombie hoard outside had been cured, multiple crowds of confused people making their way down the Eiffel Tower in confusion and befuddlement. It was gonna be a rough day for Authorities. At least they had Something to do. 

 

Panthera's ears twitched, nudging Chloe a little.

 

"Hey, Ladybug must've cured Ms- Your teacher." Panthera said, pointing upwards. "Wanna take a bet?"

 

"There's no other place they could've gone." Chloe remarked defeatedly. Panthera's tail twitched.

 

"Don't you want to see her?" She asked.

 

"I don't think I deserve to.." Chloe murmured. Panthera hummed, picking Chloe up bridal style as she opened the door, her gaze soft and importantly tender upon her as her voice came out in a delicate huff.

 

"Now we know that's mean Chloe talkin'." Panthera remarked. Chloe chuffed. Panthera smiled. "Ridiculous, utterly ridiculous."

 

"Catch phrase thief." Chloe rolled her eyes. 

 

Chloe held on tight as Panthera climbed up onto the roof. She didn't know there was a roof. The height up here was dauntingly scary now that the danger was over. It was wasn't it? So why was her heart absolutely pounding?

 

Panthera set her down gingerly, nodding to the blonde before she made her way to Ladybug.

 

Chloe's eyes glittered as the sun shown behind Ladybug, her body encased with light, and yet her body never looked more tense. Panthera approached her slowly and kindly, and offered a hand. Ladybug's head shifted to look at it, giving it a tight squeeze before they fist bumped.

 

"Pound-it."

 

And there she was, returned to her kindest glory, an exhausted looking Ms Bustier who sat dizzily before them. Her teal eyes fluttered open, and they widened with horror. Chloe hung back as her teacher's mouth opened, and her voice came out in a shudder.

 

"W-What on earth.." Ms Bustier began before gasping horribly, her hand clasped over her chest. "The akuma overtook me, oh no, I... I let my negative emotions get the upper hand, how terrible!" And her voice dropped, as she held herself with shame. She was shattered. "..I'm terrible."

 

"That's not true! It wasn't your fault. Hawk Moth is the one to blame.!" Panthera quickly reasoned, ears pinned backwards. "Plenty of people, good people, get akumatized. Because they're put in bad situations.! Valid bad situations! The emotions that follow aren't on them.!"

 

"But how could I hurt so many people.! I must have..!" Ms Bustier began, it was the most scared they'd ever seen their teacher. And Chloe's heart dropped as she saw tears in the woman's eyes. "How.. how could I let myself.."

 

"It's not your fault!"

 

Chloe's hands balled at her sides and all eyes were on her. Chloe inhaled as slowly as she could, trying to count, but her breath felt so much, so cold. She swallowed it, and let out a heavy, fearful exhale. She made eye contact with Panthera who nodded to her, stepping out of her way so she could approach Ms Bustier.

 

Every step controlled and full of remorse. She's going to hate me. What an unexceptional student. The worst of them all.

 

Ms Bustier slowly turned to the two heroes.

 

"I think I'd like to talk to my student, alone, please. I know you two kiddos must have gone through a lot of trouble today." Ms Bustier said lightly. Chloe's hands balled up beside her as Ms Bustier smiled. "Thank you, for saving me, you two."

 

"B-But don't you need a way home?" Ladybug began.

 

"I'm a responsible adult. I don't need a piggy back ride. Don't worry." Ms Bustier chuckled. Somepart of Chloe figured that Ms Bustier didn't want the heroes to know where she lived as well. "I'll take Chloe and myself down the escalator when we're done. Don't you two need to recharge...?"

 

As if on que, Chloe could hear the duel sounds of peeping. Different colors of panic strewn over the two heroes' faces and they bolted away. She could hear the faint yell of a 'happy birthday ms bustier!' in the distance. But she couldn't tell who said it.

 

Chloe slowly turned back to stare at Ms Bustier who stared at her expectantly.

 

Her gaze was so kind. There wasn't any ounce of anger and that.. just.. broke the dam that held the floods.

 

"It- it's my fault..!" Chloe croaked out, her voice feeling like a wet sponge of tears as she tried to hold herself together. Ms Bustier was staring at her, and yet Chloe could hardly look at her due to how warped her image had become, as tears began to drip through her vision. "I forgot your birthday, once again. And when I saw everyone had prepared a gift for you, I- I lost it..! And everyone was- they looked so mad at me when they saw I had nothing for you..! cause you're so great and.. I couldn't have you hate me.! I knew you were gonna.! I didn't.. want to.. make you.. s- sa-ah-d...I'msosooerrry..!" 

 

"Oh Chloe," Chloe nearly gasped as Ms Bustier pulled her into a tight, squeezing hug. Chloe's body slacked, her weak sniffling sobs buried dark and to stain within Ms Bustier's shoulder. Her poor jacket was all Chloe could think as a soft hand began to comb soft pets through Chloe's hair. "No, sweetie, no."

 

"Mom... hasn't been home, yet-" Chloe choked out slowly, her hands wringing together tight, as she pulled a little away. "-In a long, long time. And I want her to come home. I want her to so bad- but you've, you've been, the closest thing I've ever, gotten, to a mo- to a, to an adult I can, really look up to.. and I.. I just didn't want to let you down.. I didn't, want to, disappoint you.."

 

It felt so warm to be held like this. Chloe felt so small and so safe. And she wanted to stay here where Ms Bustier had every answer it felt like. But she was still grappling, battling the powers inside her that be and argued her worth. Her exceptionalism. 

 

"I just wanna deserve the love you give me, yknow?" Chloe mumbled, her eyes squinting with tears. "I do-don't know.. how to prove myself to you though. And I'm so.. mad..! Why am I so bad at this..!?"

 

Ms Bustier tried to speak calmly, "It's not that you're bad, love is difficult in general-""

 

"Then why won't my mom come home..!?" Chloe shrieked, before her voice died on her lips. She pulled away from Ms Bustier, or she tried, before Ms Bustier kindly held a hand at her shoulder. It was firm, and it was grounding.

 

"Chloe." She whispered and it dared her to try and speak again.

 

"Do I not.. deserve her love?" Chloe asked fretfully. Ms Bustier's eyebrows furrowed, deep in thought for a spell before she spoke slowly.

 

“Love is.. not a currency, it’s a fertilizer." Ms Bustier said calmly. Her eyes growing softer by the moment. "You need love to grow. To grow for someone out of love is different, and it is not the same as the idea that you must grow in a way someone demands to deserve or earn their love. Which I disagree with. Because no matter what situation, I believe that; Everyone deserves love, someone to mourn them when they’re gone, love is plentiful and endless.. love.."

 

Chloe sniffled, looking down. She couldn't perfectly get that idea. It was a hard optimistic pill to swallow.  And Chloe never was an optimist. Despite the naïve hopes she held onto every day.

 

Every day. 

 

Every day.

 

Every day.

 

For eight years. 

 

“I’ve had my own experiences, with, people leaving me.” Ms Bustier admitted, catching her attention once more. Ms Bustier's eyes drew far. “Like things seem to work out.. and then that piece of your puzzle just is suddenly gone.. without a goodbye.. and you have to figure out how to live without it.. how to fill the void in the universe where she once was.. and then you try and focus on your own work for the other person supporting you and then she’s gone too..”

 

Her voice trailed off, finding herself seeking to reminisce, before refocusing back on Chloe.

 

“..But you can’t. Not with people. You can’t replace people, not easily. Not perfectly. Because People leave perfectly sized holes in their place And god- it hurts.” Ms Bustier said, shocking Chloe as she voiced out in a sterner tone. She held up a hand, however, and the softer smiler returned.

 

“But what's special, is that you can build new things," Ms Bustier said. "Not just things like money or materials. But the new of connecting to more people. It doesn’t make the love, or pain, or or or the memories before fake or untrue. It just means there’s more love for everyone in the end. That's when your heart feels full, even with the people shaped holes. Do.. do you get me?"

 

"Yeah I.." Chloe began, she scratched the back of her head. "I think I can.. learn to understand." 

 

Ms Bustier nodded awkwardly, wiping a hand through her hair.

 

"If- if you'd like to- um- 'hang'- with your ol' teacher again," Ms Bustier laughed, like there was something humorous about her tone, her thinly veiled request. "I always have, a cup of hot, warm, cocoa, and, uh.."

 

Ms Bustier was running out of excuses. Chloe let out an amused sniffle, wiping at her no doubt, grossed up face without really caring. She tucked one of her strands of hair behind one of her ears, shakily.

 

"That-" Chloe's voice choked on itself. "That'd be great."

 

Ms Bustier smiled wobblily. She let out her own sniffle, wiping away a rogue tear that nearly fell over her freckled cheek and she let out a relaxed sigh.

 

"Sounds good, kiddo." She whispered kindly, before standing up. From this angle, Nathaniel was right, she really looked like a super hero. The best one, ever. "Come on, let's go collect your classmates. It looks.. far after school. But I'd still like to celebrate my birthday with my most favorite class."

 

"By the way, how old are you?"

 

"Classified."

 

"Oh poo."

 

 

 

...

 

 

 

 

"Mylene, dear, I love you sweetie, and this is a wonderful gift with lots of.. sentimentality I'm sure, but..." Ms Bustier began slowly and warily, a bright peppy smile taped on her face unsurely as she held up the girl's present in her hands.

 

Chloe meanwhile was not afraid to stare buggy eyed.

 

"Mylene did you give Ms Bustier a braid of your hair!?" She shrieked, pointing at it with a thirty yard stare.

 

"THERE IS MEANING!" Mylene shouted defensively. 

 

"WHY DIDN'T YOU GET HER FUCKING CRYSTALS OR SOMETHING THEN!?"

 

"CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL HOW SABRINA GOT A TASER!?"

 

"Language." Ms Bustier sternly huffed.

 

 

Notes:

Marinette's dialogue in the locker scene was written as much more harsher than Marinette probably implied. Wanted to give off that, she was feeling a lot more than she realized.
Giving people gifts his Her way to show love, it's her Love Language, so seeing someone use it really loosely (buying people out instead of making gifts intimate and personal) or forgetting entirely (both apply to chloe in her eyes) she doesn't see them as people who are doing a good job at expressing any sort of love.

Wanted to show that, well, she's still a kid. She's not emotionally mature yet and judges people based on herself a lot. Didn't mean for any salt. I hope you enjoyed!

Also Ms Mendeleiev's name is Valerie because Valerie Frizzle because fuck you

Also there was a reference to Mamabug (Ladybug!Caline) in Juleka's internal monologue in there somewhere that was fun, Ronoken you're always the coolest

Chapter 61: Anansi

Summary:

gay
gay gay
I

just felt like we needed some nice vibes no depression this chapter only slight sibling bickering

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

They were going to see the fireworks tonight. 

 

Juleka didn't find the fireworks as cool other people, but she found them pretty to say the least. She could often see them at the edge of the Liberty on the days it was some big event for them to happen. But this time, she was watching them with her friends.

 

"Juuuules!"

 

Rose leaned on her shoulder lovingly on the couch, her legs softly kicking. Juleka's lips quirked up into a tiny smile, wrapping an arm over her girlfriend's shoulder and pulling her closer, much to Rose's glee.

 

"Hi," Juleka smiled. Rose giggled, snuggling closer into the goth's leather jacket.

 

"I've never been to Alya's house before it's so cool here!" Rose whispered. It was cool. There was all these animal pictures hung up on the wall.. Alya's dad is apparently a zoo keeper, it was bustling with the people invited here, a nice atmosphere.

 

Not everyone could make it. Adrien was the usual example, always hunt up by his vulture of a father, though some people just had other plans today and that was fine. Currently, Nino and Alya were booting up Just Dance with Marinette in tow, who was trying to face time Adrien as he apparently still wanted to be included, poor bud.

 

To the other side of the room, Kim was currently sitting on the kitchen counter, munching on some fruit. He was talking to Ondine whom Juleka had finally met today. Well, she met Syren before, but that doesn't count.

 

Ondine was very sweet. Her voice always in a chirp as she talked about how she met Kim, what he said about them, so on so on. Although, Juleka didn't expect her to be actually built like a truck, she thought that might have been an akuma thing but no, ahah.

 

Juleka spared a glance once more. ..Back muscles.. She thought, sipping the small soda she was given. Swimmers man they're.. something. And Rose agreed, Rose super agreed. They were both staring at her from here. Ondine is so out of Kim's league, they're all thinking it.

 

Ondine managed to dress super femme too, Juleka was, a little jealous. In a respecting way she just! It was always hard for her to.. find some middle between dressing feminine in the way she wanted and strong in the way that often coincided with dressing... much more.. masculine.

 

And with how Juleka's been bulking up muscle wise.. it felt like her day dreams of wearing skirts and dresses dwindled with her self confidence.. who she was just never felt pretty enough to be allowed to do those sorts of things... Paris's fixation of Panthera Noire's hottness sand her eye bags agreed.

 

Juleka huffed into her soda, trying not to get too hung up about it, it was a nice little get together party after all and she had better to do than pout and wallow about her looks. It was then that Nino hollered by the tv.

 

"Hey guys! Just Dance is working! Who wants to go first?" Nino exclaimed to the group excitedly. No thanks. I'm enjoying hogging the couch with my girlfriend. Juleka thought to herself, delighting in how she nestled closer to Rose, arm wrapped around her. I am utterly satisfied in this position and I'm never leaving.

 

"Oh Jules that sounds so fun we should totally try doing that!" Rose excitedly shook her shoulder, beaming. Juleka closed her eyes with pain. Damn it. I jinxed it. The universe delights in punching me in the gut constantly. Juleka sighed and looked to Rose. She couldn't resist her, however...

 

"I don't wanna get sweaty thoughhh..." Juleka whined a little, much to Rose's amusement. 

 

"Then take your jacket off, sweetie." Rose retorted. Juleka stuck her tongue out. She was wearing a tank top under this, she didn't want to just, have bare arms, that felt odd. Though it was an alright tank top. It was one of Luka's old shirts that she cut up. An old jagged stone one.

 

"Ooh! Ooh! Me and Ondine can go first!" Kim nearly fell off the counter. His head whirled to his girlfriend excitedly, like some golden retriever. "Come on come on! Wouldn't that be so fun!"

 

"It would be!" Ondine nodded giggly, patting him on the head, clearly sharing Juleka's image of Kim. She turned to Rose and Juleka. "Sorry you two! Mind if we go first? I think Kim really wants to set the first high score. You guys can decide on a song!"

 

"Go for it." Juleka said.

 

"They're so romantic." Rose sighed with glee as the couple walked by them. Juleka chuckled softly. She loved the expression Rose made when she was thinking about romance. It was absolutely adorable.

 

It was a goofy time, the group laughed and giggled as Kim and Ondine danced to one of the songs listed. Juleka had only played Just Dance once but she always found it hilarious when someone was doing something silly with full seriousness. Kim being the example today.

 

He won between him and Ondine, on the fact she was too distracted by her giggling to even focus on dancing, multiple time just stopping to laugh as Kim's smile grew wider at her expression.

 

Rose was right, it was pretty cute. And suddenly that same Rose was bouncing off the couch and pulling her hands excitedly.

 

"Our turn our turn!" Rose sang.

 

"Aw Rose come on," Juleka complained lightly, though it was hard not to smile at her as Rose tried her best to drag her in front of the tv much to the group's giggling. Kim had sprawled onto the couch with a loud thump as he heaved for breath.

 

"Y'all... are never gonna beat my high score!" He wheezed as Ondine lovingly leaned on him.

 

"Oh please, you haven't seen Nino and Alya play they're even more dramatic." Marinette snorted from her spot on one of the kitchen's chairs, before letting out a delighted 'oh!' and held up her phone for all of them to see. On screen, was Adrien. Waving excitedly.

 

"Hey guys!"

 

"Hi Adrien" They all made their chorus of greetings. Juleka sighed, beginning to slide her jacket off her shoulders. Not like anyone's gonna notice or care, She figured. Then, Rose glanced backwards at her and her jaw fell.

 

"Jules are those your arms!? I'm your girlfriend how did I not know you've gotten so.. so amazingly built!" Rose gawked. Juleka paused, beginning to fold her jacket up, deciding to awkwardly put it on the couch. 

 

Plagg was in her purse by the door though she wouldn't put it past him to have left to chat with Tikki who was probably somewhere else in here. She frowned a little awkwardly and she realized the others were looking at her. What made it worse was the type of gawking expression on Rose's face. 

 

Her girlfriend, best friend, oldest friend of years- her Rose, wasn't disgusted, she looked way too into it, and it made Juleka's face heat up.

 

"Um." Juleka began, tapping her fingers together. She tried for some distraction Yeah. Hopefully that would work. I didn't chose to bulk out cause of being stupid Panthera.. this is so embarrassing.. "Ondine is um, more buff. She's much more awesome.. "

 

"Thank you, it's the swimming! But don't be too hard on yourself your arms look amazing!" Ondine smiled, giving a polite flex of her bicep which Juleka glanced away from with a further flustered sort of puff in her chest before Kim leaned closer.

 

"You gotta tell what your exercise regime is!" Kim exclaimed, pumping a fist in the air "We NEED to hang out more! We can work out together!"

 

"Oh um. I just-.. working out. Boat stuff.." Juleka was already thinking about curling up into a ball and dying. 'I just- working out'? What the hell Juleka? What kind of answer is that? WHAT DEFINES 'BOAT STUFF'!? She mentally wailed. "Besides.. it.. it's not the most.. attractive.. sort of body that I.. really want.."

 

"If you're worried about model stuff, my dad's company is pretty open with all body times!" Adrien chirped on the phone, she glanced to him. Damn it. She forgot she told him about this. His smile was beaming. "You've got a fantastic figure, and the muscles just enhance it! You're very beautiful, Juleka!"

 

"Yeah! Sorta like- My sister Nora!"

 

Juleka's face heated up, and immediately began shrinking tighter into herself, hiding in her hair. He shot right her heart on that one. He'd read right through her! Damn this guy! He's just.. too.. NICE! MOTHER FUCKER! And now people were throwing compliments at her and she- she- she couldn't take it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-

 

"H-Hey, so what song did you wanna do, lovely?" She quickly asked, a few chuckles going on as she tried to obviously advert the subject, glancing quickly at Rose who was staring shamelessly at her while bending over to meet her eyes again.

 

"Huh?" Rose blinked out of her stupor before she quickly grabbed the remote, fumbling with it as her smile grew wider and more wobblily. "Oh! R-Right right! Ahah- um- was thinking of- this one-"

 

It was fun, though Juleka still felt a little embarrassed but Rose made life always a lot more comfortable and she was inevitably glad she wasn't doing this with a heavy leather jacket on. By the end she was giggling quite a bit.

 

She didn't remember who won the higher score she was just immediately hugged by Rose and Juleka laughed, lifting her off the ground a little to spin her. They got a few laughs and whoops. Juleka peppered Rose's face with kisses much to her delight. It felt like her heart was light.

 

"You guys are so in sync!" Ah. And she forgot the outside world existed.

 

Juleka reluctantly put Rose back down, her girlfriend scurrying to give the remote to Nino who began taking over. Marinette was watching them with a little smile. She was on Adrien duty as she could see, holding up the phone for the tiny digital version of their friend to see.

 

"You're right. Someday I hope I'll find someone I can share everything with! Like you two do!" Adrien chirped on his side. Juleka smiled sadly at him. He was such a nice guy. She always admired Adrien before and after he joined the class.

 

She admired the fashion he modeled, and she admired the kind dude he turned out to genuinely be. But, he was such a lonely kid. And Juleka didn't know how to help a kid who just needed to get out more, but couldn't. Besides, you know, illegal forces of action.

 

"You work pretty well with that Kagami girl!" Alya noted out loud as she held up her remote. She smiled softly at Marinette. "Hey uh, Marinette you wanna play with me?"

 

"Oh um, I shouldn't!" Marinette waved a rapid hand, a nervous flustered smile across her cheeks. Juleka glanced between them. "I got two left feet you know that! You and Nino have fun! Gotta hold Adrien!"

 

"Oh, okay." Alya seemed to shrink a little at that but she didn't let her smile drop.. even if Juleka could see her disappointment swell a bit. The blogger joined Nino to chose their level together.

 

Juleka clicked her tongue and went to return to her jacket on the couch. Her eyes widened before a little endeared smile came to her face as she came to see what was in it's spot instead.

 

"Rose." She tilted her head amusedly. Her girlfriend was giggling innocently but it was very clear what she did. Rose was currently wearing her leather jacket over her shoulders. And fuck you cause she looked god damn adorable in it. Juleka brushed a hand through her hair as she let out a chuckled sigh. "You're too much."

 

"I got cold." Rose reasoned with a stuck out tongue. Juleka sat down next to her politely and Rose pulled her closer to lay on her. Juleka wanted to purr in the comfort but she did her best to hold it back. Even if it hurt a little, holding as an awkward lump in her throat.

 

"Alright! Us next! Us-" Nino shouted from the front.

 

"NEXT!" Alya waved a hand in the air. Marinette laughed, leaning her head on the table to watch as Alya and Nino began their dance. Excited music pumping through the room. Juleka chuckled, it was delightful. She's glad she didn't miss this. Their little jig. Pfft. Alya and Nino past Kim's score quickly much to his wallow. 

 

I think Alya's showing off. Juleka thought to herself before something else distracted her.

 

"This looks so much fun guys. I probably could buy this game but.. like most things.. It looks a lot more fun with friends!"  Adrien sighed melancholically on the phone. "But until my father starts letting me go out more often, that probably won't be happening."

 

Marinette turned the phone to look at him. Adrien was sitting in his room, she'd never seen the inside of it before at such a length and it was clinically bland. It had so much stuff, and yet, it reminded her of a different blond, where it still felt lifeless and cold. Her expression saddened.

 

"Are you sure your dad won't let you come?" Marinette asked. With her crush gone, Marinette managed to develop a closer relationship to Adrien. A more supportive friendship. Her empathy was contagious.

 

"Yeah! It's such a bummer!" Kim bent over the camera upside down to look at him. By Adrien's slight chuckle it was probably not the most flattering of angles but he still answered in his ever polite tone.

 

"You know how overprotective he is." Adrien quickly sad, there was a sense of almost urgency to that. So desperate to excuse his dad. To say it's all in good faith. But Juleka knew one thing... that love was a disgusting excuse for the worst of things. "One day he'll realize I'm not a child anymore, but we're not quite there yet! But you'll see!"

 

Juleka glanced away, sometimes Adrien hurt to look at for these things.

 

"Big finish, here we go!"

 

"You don't wanna miss this!"

 

Juleka glanced up and snorted as Nino struck a sudden pose. It reminded her of those ballerinas. On one leg, his arms over his head and his face contorted into a forced look of serenity and calm. It was a funny sight especially when his mask broke and he started giggling. It made Alya cackle for sure. Juleka didn't know what would happen next though..

 

"Aw shoot! Did I miss the men's ballet?!" Juleka squeaked as the front door suddenly slammed open. She nearly stood up, her body tensed and locked for a fight- was she Panthera or Juleka right now- but but- but- her brain slowly turned off as a woman began stomping her way inside.

 

"N-Nora! Is your match over already? That was so fast!" Alya exclaimed. Juleka felt like the ground literally shook as a yellow and black duffle bag heavily thudded against the ground. It's owner was- as Juleka could perhaps deduce if she wasn't such a gay idiot- Alya's older sister, Nora. Alya's very.. very buff.. sister..

 

Juleka had met her before! During Frightningale! B-but... That was when she was mostly clothed, in sort of a body guard suit, when she had her gig with Clara Nightingale. But currently, Nora was wearing just a sports bra, towel over her shoulders, some boxing gear, and just some exercise shorts. Little room for imagination as her muscles glistened with sweat.

 

No Juleka didn't like older woman. Totally not. But Nora looked like she could crush a watermelon with just her limbs and something about that was very.. admirable. Juleka glanced at Rose and nudged her. Rose glanced at her and Juleka held up her hands.

 

"H-o-t.?" She spelt in sign, her face a light pink. 

 

"Yes." Rose nodded quickly as she nodded her fist, her smile a little wobbly. They were allowed to be disaster gays ok. They were in agreement. This is for calling my mom a milf during science class, Alya. Going back to the present, Nora let out a hearty laugh at her sister.

 

"Yup! Round one! Total knock out!" Nora exclaimed, punching some quick punches through the air with some accentuated grunts before laughing with pride. She loved to fight. It was incredible. And she was good at it. "As per usual!"

 

"Kim, Ondine, Adrien, you guys haven't met her, but this is my sister, Nora." Alya ignored Nora a little, knocking a thumb at her with a lazy smile. "She's been living with us again, ever since she graduated college. Does boxing. Etc. Muscle brain. You'd like her, Kim."

 

"They don't need my life story." Nora chuffed, before yanking Alya over under her arm with a grunt, whispering in a hushed snap. "I told you a hundred times not to call me Nora in front of people, potato."

 

Nora swung around to them quickly, waving her hands at herself.

 

"The name is Anansi, like the spider!" She exclaimed. They ooh-ed and awe-ed though it seemed Alya was getting a little done as she unceremoniously shoved her way in front of her older sister once more.

 

"Sure, I'll call you Anansi when you stop calling me a potato." Alya grunted with annoyance, masking it with a tensed smile. 

 

"Awwwww, potato-" Kim giggled.

 

"It was a joke when I was like, four. Come on." Alya grumbled, though more so at her older sister who just rolled her eyes at her. Nora took off her boxing helmet and was making her way to the fridge. Must be hungry. She then squeaked as Nora turned to them.

 

"Anyway, what are you all still doing here this late? Don't you have school tomorrow?" Nora asked as she began taking a milk carton from the fridge to drink from. The teens awkwardly glanced away, bashful. So Alya took the reigns once more to speak, her excitement returning.

 

"We're waiting for it to get dark. It's that fireworks show tonight, remember?" Alya exclaimed, practically bouncing in place. "We're gonna watch from the Place de la Concorde Ferris wheel!"

 

Nora choked on her gulp, and spat out her drink. 

 

"WHAT?! OH NO YOU DON'T!" She shouted. Juleka slowly hid behind Rose as Nora spun around at them with a wild expression. She wiped her mouth dry and held up a finger at them, pointing. "Little Mermaid, Onion Hair, Princess Peach, Ramona Flowers, Baguette and Cappy can go if they want! But you! Are staying here!"

 

"Nora-!" Alya began, she crushed the milk carton beneath her hand against the table. Her arms crossing.

 

"It's way too dangerous, you hear me!" Nora growled.

 

"But Nora—I mean, Anansi, you can't do that!" Marinette immediately shouted, running up next to Alya with a distressed expression that solidified into a harsher glare. "We're not going without Alya!" 

 

"Dangerous!" Nora pressed. Alya growled before trying to slow her breath. She calmed her voice, trying to reason herself to- what Juleka suspected- at least ease Nora to convince her.

 

"Listen, I appreciate you worrying about me and all, but I'm not a little girl anymore." Alya said sternly, her arms crossed. "Besides, Mom and Dad are totally cool with it.!"

 

Alya shifted uncomfortably, rubbing her arm as the knot of tension tied tighter and tighter in her shoulders.

 

"So could you just.. cut it out? Please?" Alya asked, her eyebrows furrowing as her eyes adverted away. "I was really looking forward to this with my friends and I don't need you hanging over me."

 

"Tsk-tsk-tsk-tsk," Nora however, in a form of an unmovable object in contrast to Alya's unstoppable force, just shook her head, tsking. Her eyes narrowed. "There have been way too many akumatized villains in Paris these last few weeks. And think about how many times you've been in direct danger! Pharaoh guy, News Lady, Wicked Witch of the West.. ringing any bells?"

 

Alya glowered, her anger boiling at the lid now as her hair bristled, standing on end. It was then that the woman surprised her, by turning to Juleka. Nora pointed.

 

"Shouldn't you agree with me?" Nora asked sharply. Juleka's eyes widened with confusion but she felt herself shrink as Nora's voice came again. "You're the girl at the play aren't you? You should know how dangerous akumas are!"

 

Juleka felt her chest constrict against itself, a numb feeling blossoming at her side to which she grasped weakly at. That memory of panic and horror. It was like she was there again, for a second. Alya's face turned red with rage, taking a stomp forward in front of her. 

 

"That's- Don't involve her in this, Nora! That's her business!" Alya exploded at her older sister, setting her even more off. "And you can't make all those akuma points when the twins were akumatized right here at home!" 

 

"Well, that- that would've never happened on my watch!" Nora shouted quickly, slamming her hand on the table. "I won't let anybody mess with my family! Not when I can actually do something about it!"

 

Juleka's eyes glanced away but it was then that Alya's face suddenly grew stony and unimpressed, hands falling to plant themselves on her hips.

 

"You mean like the other day at the square?" She asked flatly. Nora blinked widely at her, glancing away. Juleka shook her head. She forgot she was here for a second. She glanced over at the blogger who was standing in the middle of the room, waiting of an answer.

 

"What happened at the square?" Kim asked from his side of the couch. Nora glared at Alya but it was Marinette who sheepishly began to explain.

 

"Ahah.. well.. we came across a man handing out flyers.. that Mr Banana guy? You know the guy?" Marinette said, the group shuddered. He was so uncanny for no reason. Marinette laughed awkwardly, waving a small hand. "Well... Nora thought the man was akumatized and wanted to turn Alya into; 'a banana-zombie'..."

 

She paused.

 

"Mr Banana was thrown across the square." Marinette said flatly. Alya nodded and then glanced back at Nora once more, arms crossing again. Nora guffawed, glancing away with embaressment.

 

"Uh well.. H-how was I supposed to know it was some stupid costume?!" Nora exclaimed, turning to them again. "And besides, what would happen if the Ferris wheel stopped working 'cause some akumatized dude refused to pay his fare? Once you fly-weights can actually defend yourselves like me-"

 

She striked a dramatic fighting pose, letting out a loud grunt. She grimaced.

 

"-then we'll talk about it!"

 

Juleka's eyebrows furrowed as Alya grimaced in her spot. She glanced to the girl next to her, and could see the dramatic gears within Marinette's brain click and churn. She loved so loud. And then Marinette attempted another shot.

 

"Well, regardless if those things happen- and they could! I'm not- taking that away from you.. Ladybug and Panthera Noire would save us if there were any problems!" Marinette exclaimed with hope. Juleka smiled. That was true. But Nora still remained steadfast evermore.

 

"Uh-huh. And what if My Chat-mical Romance is catching a mouse, and that Beetle's been sprayed with bug spray? What do you do then?" Nora shot back. Marinette gawked with offense and Juleka pouted. Wow, thanks for believing in us.

 

And then, Nino shouted.

 

"I can protect Alya if I have to.!" Nino shouted, "W-We all can!"

 

"Oh yeah? And how exactly are you planning to defeat the villain? A dance-off?" Nora mocked. Nino's face twisted. Poor guy. He always wanted to protect the ones he loved, with such a furious passion. 

 

"I'd do anything to protect Alya!" Nino grimaced. Alya smiled, touched by her friend, but Nora only let out a bark of laughter.

 

"What? You have a crush on my wittle sister or something?" Nora taunted, one of her eyes cocking upwards in a teasing manner. Juleka, to be honest, felt indeed a little intimidated and turned to Alya to see what her reaction would be...

 

Nino and Alya looked at each other.

 

They then burst into laughter. Nearly a cackle. It was incredibly loud, and contagious, spreading a few awkward chuckles with the group who had been sitting her uncomfortably as the two siblings had started to butt head. They continued to laugh uncontrollably before simultaneously; they suddenly cut to flat, utter, silence. Alya's eyes narrowed.

 

"No." Alya deadpanned, wrapping an arm around Nino's waist her face completely flat.

 

"No I do not have a crush on Alya. Love her, but I don't." Nino nodded, letting one of his legs lift behind him making the group giggle at their silly display as he waved a goofy hand around to present them both. "We are..."

 

"Just friends, Sis." Alya pressed hard, teeth gritted as she faced her sister with a stern stare. Juleka glanced between them. It felt so tense.

 

Juleka didn't quite understand. She understood the idea of the Cain Instinct well. She did. No seriously. She did.

 

...

 

"Luka. Luka look at me."

 

He turned to look at her with a deadpan stare.

 

"What, Fart face?" 

 

"Bitch." Juleka squinted and she flicked a guitar pick at him. He screamed.

 

...

 

Yeah she knew the Cain instinct well. Look Luka just had a very punchable face sometimes and it was her duty as a little sister to just, mess with him. Out of love of course and she'd kill for him but looking at these two...

 

But genuine hate, and hostility... it just... it didn't really add up in Juleka's mind as something siblings should do. Her home life didn't bring them a reason to be at genuine, bitter odds. Luka always just wanted to protect her...

 

It was then Juleka did find understanding, a semblance of it, only a smidge, but it was understanding and she decided to continue observing with a quiet fearful stupor. Nora rose an eyebrow and tsked.

 

"Fine! Okay.. Sure! Alya can go out with you guys.." The group's eyes lit up with hope and excitement but then, Nora's arm slammed down onto the table and she held up her bandaged up hand. A wide smirk upon her features. "If one of you beat me at an arm wrestle."

 

They all groaned. Annnnd its over. Nora was setting them up. The stalling game. Truly an immovable object. Ugh. Juleka rubbed the space between her eyes. So much for fire works. That's unfortune..

 

"Oh god- Please guys, don't arm-wrestle on my account. I don't need to be protected." Alya groaned with displeasure.

 

"We could at least give it a shot." Kim sat up competitively. "I could totes take her."

 

"Kim, no offense. But she could rip your arm off and eat it for breakfast." Alya glared at him. Nora laughed.

 

"You're all allowed to try if you want! I'm here alllllll night!" Nora grinned to herself with pride. They all groaned with annoyance as Kim decided to sit in front of her, trying his go. Rose nudged her and whispered into her ear.

 

"You think Kim can actually do it?" Rose asked curiously. "We might miss the fire works at this rate.."

 

"No, I think he might die, actually." Juleka deadpanned, her eyebrows furrowing as she leaned against her girlfriend to watch from the side of the table. Kim's hand interlocked with Nora's and his eye's flared with determination.

 

"Kim please, you're gonna die." Ondine said tiredly.

 

"Nope!" Kim shouted.

 

"And.. Go!" Adrien's voice rang out. Kim's body flared, his muscles tensing and flexing as he tried to push and pull and- and- and-

 

"HRRk.!" Kim breathed puffs of air through his teeth, Nora was sitting there, like a statue, completely calm and at ease as she didn't even bother to move from her starting point. Alya sighed, rubbing the space between her eyes tiredly.

 

"Here we go again.." Alya grunted.

 

"Is he gonna be okay?" Rose asked.

 

"I CAN- DO THIS ALL DAY!" Kim struggled to squeak out, his body pouring with sweat as his hand slammed against the table. "I CAN- I THINK I GOT HER TO SHIFT!"

 

"And..." Nora sang, before applying some pressure and slamming his arm against the table. Kim let out a squawk of pain and fell limp off his chair. "Sorry, I just got so bored, who's next?"

 

The group cringed and Juleka awkwardly slunk behind Rose, trying to hide. Alya glanced at them all and her body physically defalted.

 

"Forget it; you guys go without me." Alya grumbled. They all turned and gawked at her. Juleka's heart dropped. No, Alya.. "She's obviously not changing her mind.. she's always fucking like this.."

 

"Language!" Nora huffed.

 

"No! There- There has to be a way! We're not leaving without you!" Marinette shouted. She glanced around and snapped a finger at her target. "Nino! Nino will arm wrestle Anansi then!"

 

"WHAT" Nino squawked, his eyes bugging out. He wasn't expecting to be put on the spot for this.

 

"Nino, you don't stand a chance against Anansi; she's way too strong!" Adrien cried from the phone. Nino wilted at that.

 

"I- dude. Ow." Nino deadpanned. 

 

"Save our bestie, Nino!" Marinette exclaimed, a small innocent smile coming to her face. "I mean.. you can at least try right?"

 

Nino blinked in confusion. Juleka squinted, there was something weird about that smile. A little too innocent. The cards were close to Marinette's chest. And she had something on her mind.. Alya's face twisted with confusion as Marinette started to ramble on and on.

 

"Nino will prove his worth to us that he can defend Alya and every one of us, because—!"

 

"Marinette what are-"

 

"Shh I got this- He can defend us because… uhh, because love and, uh, friendship, and- Nino- Nino make your muscles bulge." Marinette began holding up one of Nino's scrawny arms. Nino squinted at her and awkwardly flexed the little muscle he had. "YEAH SEE!"

 

Nora scoffed. "Sure, why not. Cappy can try!"

 

Marinette grinned. There was a glint in her eye and Juleka found herself stepping closer to better see. Ninos et up where Kim had sat. Kim who, was currently holding his noodle-d arm by his side and looming the table now trying to massage Nino's shoulders, whispering his horrors and warnings and good lucks.

 

Nora meanwhile, looked more smug than a cat with knives pointed at it's face. Marinette talked Nino up, and with Nora's already unstricken confidence of winning, it seemed to boost her confidence too. Juleka's eyes narrowed. Nora's defenses are low.. but for what?

 

They made eye contact and Juleka blinked with surprise as Marinette winked at her. An aura of familiarity came to her in the trust within her gaze and Juleka's body tensed in readiness. Instinct. 

 

"All right! In position. Ready. Set-!" Adrien was on screen, staring focused at the match in front of him. "-Go!"

 

Same thing was happening. Juleka's eyes thinned as she watched Nino struggle in vain. Body contorting and wriggling as Nora made a display of fake yawning- just to mock him. Her amused chuckles rumbling her as Nino was pretty much yanking his arm socket off.

 

"Really? Is that all you got?" Nora rose an eyebrow, her eyes lazily drifting off places and even deciding to relax as she came to rest her chin on her other hand. Juleka glanced down at Marinette, her hand twitching.

 

Marinette's eyes were focused down on the match, ignoring Alya's quiet 'she's gonna rip his arm off' . Marinette made eye contact with Juleka once more, before the hero smirked.

 

And then Marinette loudly gasped.

 

"LOOK! OVER THERE! AN AKUMA OH MY GOD!" Marinette shouted, pointing twelve o'clock.

 

"WHAT!?" Nora shouted, spinning around towards the window as Marinette gawked and pointed at it. Juleka's heart raced, her eyes thinning as time felt like it was slowing. NOW! Juleka's hands shot forward and- wrapping around Nino's to avoid Nora's touch- she grabbed hold and slammed both hands onto the table.

 

Rose squeaked and Juleka's hands flew back behind her, looking away as Marinette smiled and fluttered her eyelashes innocently.

 

"Oops, my bad; it was just a fly! Aw shucks!" Marinette said sheepishly, twisting a strand of her hair. "You got me all spooked about akumas again, Miss Anansi, darn! Haha! Gosh Nino you're so strong! You rock!"

 

"H-Huh? Oh my god." Nino looked down with shock and disbelief.

 

"And the winner is.. Nino!" Adrien called out. Marinette's grin grew wider and Juleka couldn't help but giggle. What a little devil. Alya's eyes were wide with shock, glancing to Marinette who softly winked at her. Marinette waved a hand, gesturing them out the door.

 

"Alrighty guys! Let's go! We-" Marinette began before shrieking as a loud crack echoed through them and they watched as Nora- who had slammed a fist down on the table, rose to full height to loom angrily over them. Her eyes inflamed with frustration and rage.

 

"No. NO. You're- you're a bunch of cheaters. There's no way I could've been beaten by that fly-weight. If I hadn't been distracted, I-" Nora began, but Alya charged in front of her. Her face built with her own anger.

 

“Nora that's enough.! You lost, deal with it! I’ve had it with your overprotective, annoying, smothering!" Alya exclaimed, her voice shaking and red in the face.

 

"Alya I just-" Nora's eyes widened as Alya shouted louder, over what anything Nora had to say.

 

"I’m going out with my friends and I don’t care what you think!" Alya screamed. "Alya is out! Nino; DO THE THING!"

 

Nino fumbled out a colorful kids toy mic from his pocket- did he bring that with him everywhere- and raising it above his head and let it drop to the ground- producing an unimpressive plastic clunk against the rug.

 

It started playing a muffled tune, turning on by impact. Juleka managed to hear close enough and realized it was Barbie girl. They stared at him for a long spell before he clumsily picked it back up and looking to Alya for direction.

 

With an annoyed and almost humiliated sneer, Alya lead the group out of the room with a stomp in her step. Leaving Nora in the house. Disheartened and alone.

 

...

 

"Did you help Marinette?" Rose asked curiously, her head tilting to the side.

 

Juleka looked down at her. The walk to the ferris wheel was chilly as night began to loom ever closer. Their hands intertwined as they followed near the back of the group. It was a little awkward to say the least but Juleka liked Rose in her jacket. It was cute.

 

"Did you not notice? I felt like it was pretty obvious..." Juleka replied sheepishly. Rose shook her head.

 

"It was all so fast." Rose shrugged, giving Juleka a playful nudge. "You're so athletic."

 

"Hahaha, s-sure," Juleka chuckled awkwardly, scratching the back of her head. Up front, she could hear her ears prick and pick up another conversation going on.

 

"Hey guys! Look! There's the Ferris Wheel! Hurry up! So we don't miss it!" Alya shouted.

 

They made it there just in time.

 

"We'll split up so everyone can have their own wheel, cart, gondola, thing!" Alya held up an excited 'ok' sign, her smile wide across her cheeks. "Julerose, Kimdine, and then Me, Nino, Marinette, and Adrien are gonna chill in our own car."

 

"Does Adrien really count? He's on a phone." Kim tilted his head as the worker there began opening the door behind them.

 

"Kim, suck my dick!" Alya grinned blankly, "Anyways we're going now! Kim, Ondine, you first!"

 

"Jules we still should totally work out together some ti-" The door closed on his face as he was bustled into the gondola. Hah. Couples gondola. Oh wait she and Rose are next! 

 

"In you two go!" The worker there instructed them inside. Rose smiled, squeezing her hand.

 

"Shall we?"

 

"We shall." Juleka chuckled goofily. 

 

It wasn't as tight of a fit as she figured it was going to be. In fact. It was quite roomy. Speaking felt much louder in the enclosed space. But it was just them. Rose and Juleka. It didn't feel claustrophobic when it was just the two of them. In fact, it just further accentuated the world Juleka was living with. Specifically, the world with Rose in it.

 

Although, it felt like any of the conversation they had before getting on had been sucked out as the two girls quietly sat next to each other. She'd never been on a Ferris Wheel before now that she thought about it. She nearly jolted as she felt the gondola move and eventually, the wheel began to do it's turning.

 

"It's very pretty up here." Rose whispered.

 

"It is." Juleka replied softly, hand parting through her strand of hair. Her eyes glanced at her. "This is nice."

 

"You think Alya is gonna be okay?" Rose asked, leaning on her. 

 

"I think so. Siblings." Juleka shrugged. "Things happen when you care about someone, and you wanna, you wanna do all these things for them. And when you're in your own head, you kinda, you can hear people out, but it's really on you to change your mind and say 'that's not a good idea'.. and Nora? Isn't convinced that pushing this hard is a bad thing."

 

"Is that a sibling thing?" Rose asked curiously. Only child.

 

"I think it's a relationship thing in general." Juleka said, unsure. She fiddled with her ring. "But I think they'll be ok. Siblings bounce back, most of the time. One of them is allowed to be a genuine asshole and the other is allowed to cut contact because of it. But that's always hard, I imagine. I don't want to ever experience that. Siblings are different than parents. More like a friend than a parental figure."

 

"You and Luka are good friends." Rose smiled.

 

"He is." Juleka nodded, smiling. "You're also a good friend too."

 

"Did you just friendzone your own girlfriend? Right now?" Rose pouted, crossing her arms. There was a glitter of amusement in her eyes and Juleka snorted.  "Oh woe is me, broken up before our first date!"

 

That made Juleka pause.

 

"H-Have we not had? An official? Date?" Juleka asked softly, her eyes wide. Rose shrugged, thinking about it.

 

"Not an official official one I don't think. But, I consider every moment with you special." Rose began softly, glancing up at her as she tugged her leather jacket closer to her. "I think I can call every hang out with you a date. Doesn't matter if we're just eating a snack together, or napping, it's you, and so, it's wonderful."

 

Juleka's eyes widened. And feeling all too much at once- Juleka let her body move-

 

She gently lifted a hand to Rose's cheek and softly, let their lips meet into hasty yet gentle kiss. Rose squeaked with a momentary surprise before she melted in her hand.

 

It only lasted a spell and after she pulled away, Juleka buried her face into Rose's shoulder, trying to hide in the flurry of light fluff that had burst from her chest in the form of love. An incontrollable emotion that consumed her whole and turned her ears hot and red.

 

"I-It sounds stupid but I forget I'm allowed to kiss you sometimes," Juleka laughed nervously into Rose's ear, nuzzling closer as she felt a soft hand begin to softly pet her head. Juleka let out another weak laugh. "It- it feels unreal, almost."

 

"Well if you're asking me.." Rose smiled as Juleka pulled away to look at her. Her own face flushed and full of a delightful joy that colored itself pink across her lovely, perfect, soft delicate cheeks. "..I really like kissing you."

 

Juleka laughed, her eyes squinting as she took in the moment. She sighed against Rose, their foreheads meeting in the most kindest, gentlest, collision. Juleka giggled, hands meeting at Rose's hips to pull her a little closer.

 

"I love you." Juleka breathed softly against her. Rose grinned, caressing Juleka's cheek warmly, thumb rubbing over her freckles and her other hand rubbing the tiniest of circles amongst the outer of Juleka's thigh.

 

"I love you too, Jules" Rose whispered before giggling. "Gosh! I feel so scandalous right now. Like, we're kissing in secret! Don't you feel so sneaky?"

 

"We're just in a Ferris Wheel, thing, gondola." Juleka said, tilting her head a little as she thought about it. "I'm sure someone else is kissing in one of these right now. And well, the others know we're in one alone, together."

 

"I know but we're doing it alone!!" Rose was bouncing in her seat. "Like I feel like we're in a romance movie! Or like, like, High School Musical or something! I don't know! I don't know how to describe it!"

 

"Feels.. more intimate?" Juleka asked, trying to understand a little more as she delighted in her girlfriend's ramblings. Rose nodded quickly, a little too quickly, Juleka was worried her pretty head might pop off as Rose snapped a hand at her.

 

"Yeah like that!" She exclaimed, sighing lovingly. "I just, gosh I just love you."

 

The Ferris Wheel could crash and burn and they could all die there, and Juleka would've died the happiest woman on earth. Rose was right. It did feel more intimate. Beyond the glass was a whole world, with fire works and magic but the only one that mattered to Juleka now was the girl next to her.

 

The girl who sat next to her with the sun shining behind her and sending a radiant glow to Rose's hair, like stripped pieces of golden wheat. Glistening finer than any platinum and eyes that would rival the most precious of diamonds Juleka could never afford.

 

Juleka's face melted in a smile. She'd start sobbing if she wasn't wearing some awfully expensive makeup. But she still felt herself sniff some tears back, wiping away the few that got away. Her voice came out in a shaky wobble.

 

"I, I love you too, Rose." Juleka said. Rose smiled and Juleka blinked wide as the hand on her cheek slowly drifted to become Rose's hand softly tilting her chin. Juleka's face heated up as a small glint came to Rose's eye as the blonde shifted a little closer. 

 

"You know." Rose clicked her tongue, her eyes flickered down and then back up again deviously. She was a devil when she wanted to be, her sunbeam. "I didn't know you were so buff, Jules. Your arms, they're so toned. I was so surprised earlier.. can't take my eyes off them now."

 

"Oh well- um- I presumed you, already knew." Juleka shrugged weakly, nearly choking as Rose softly lead her by the chin close enough for the blonde to press a soft kiss against her cheek. It felt like the sun bloomed against her skin and Juleka struggled to breath for a spell before she forced to take hold of her mental bearings so she could try to speak once more. "It-It's not that neat, I mean, I just do it to..."

 

Fight crime? Save akuma victims? To get less beat up by Paris's daily terrorist? Juleka blinked.

 

"...cope with anxiety. I'm sorry." Juleka gritted awkwardly through her teeth. It wasn't a lie. But she still felt a bit awkward saying it so, stiff like. Rose stared at her, almost offendedly as her lips puffed up into a blushy pout.

 

"Jules, respectfully, there are so many people who would absolutely pounce on you hearing you were a tall, goth, kind, sweet, awesome, buff girl." Rose said, eyebrows narrowing before the aggression in her tone disappeared into a melty smile as she pressed another kiss a little higher. Juleka's breath hitched as Rose pressed kiss after kiss, inching closer and closer till she was whispering into her ear. "I'm so lucky, that you're my girlfriend." 

 

Juleka let out a high squeak as Rose pulled away with a giggle. Juleka's face was beet red, she awkwardly held onto Rose who was looking down at her now. Juleka didn't realize how far she had been sliding down her seat until now as her lips pulled into a wobbly grin. Lashes fluttering at her girlfriend shyly.

 

Her girlfriend who was practically just sitting on top of her lap, of course.

 

"I- I feel lucky too," Juleka stumbled softly with her words. Unsure where to really look besides to Rose. Her Rose. Her smile reaching to her cheeks like a blooming dark heat upon her face. "That, that you're my girlfriend."

 

Rose smiled, tilting her head a little. Juleka blinked up at her, hands wringing tight together as her heart rate spiked upwards. 

 

"A-Are we kissing again?" She quietly asked nervously. Rose giggled. It was just a pretty sound. And sometimes Rose would let the occasional snort, which was probably the most adorable things Juleka loved. Cause there were adorable things Juleka didn't like. But every thing about Rose she did like. And her laugh was near the top of her list.

 

Rose sighed, glancing down at her.

 

"Only if you want to." Rose smiled as she rubbed her thumb upon Juleka's cheek, though the hesitance in her voice let itself be known to her as Rose's eyebrows furrowed. She leaned a bit closer, her smile gone and replaced with a more serious expression. "If this is too much..."

 

"I'd like to kiss you." Juleka blurted out quickly, looking away. Her face flushing a bit more by the second. It was the truth. She hoped Rose would notice. She was losing her mind already but after so many years and now the edge of finally dating her; Rose knew every button Juleka had and her heinous girlfriend loved to press them.

 

And Juleka felt embarrassed to admit she liked it when Rose did and even more embarrassed to admit how flustered it made her when Rose would still ask for permission for simple things like this, concerned for simple things like this, holding Juleka's hands for simple things like this.

 

"Well well, Miss Juleka Couffaine," Rose giggled, tapping her on the nose. "Can I kiss my pretty girlfriend?"

 

"U-Um, yes please." Juleka nodded quickly, smiling. Pretty..?

 

She could Rose let out a small delightful hum. It sounded so cute and innocent. Juleka fidgeted with her gloves before Rose tilted her face back to her with a warm little smile and brought their lips to an electrifying connection.

 

It always took Juleka few seconds to process when Rose kissed her, before she'd let herself melt in the safety of it all. Juleka's heart would swell as they shared the same inhale of air, breathing love into the other. Juleka sighed into Rose's lips, letting out a little squeak as Rose dared to give a small nibble before deepening it just a bit. 

 

Was this Heaven? Juleka was familiar with death. But this way of going was so lovely. Cat's had nine lives.. she was down to seven.. if this was going to kill her she wouldn't mind wasting them all on just kissing Rose.

 

Rose's hands twisted and weaved into her dark streams of hair, messing with it and tugging it so gently and letting Rose move her just right. Juleka's body physically keened to be closer as her hands balled where Rose's skirt rested on her hips.

 

Every moment Rose pulled away felt so unfortunately cold, and each time they kissed once more, Juleka felt her heart soar. But in between each kiss, Rose would whisper something quiet. A little compliment. A praise. A pet name.

 

"Jules~"

 

"My love~"

 

"Moonbeam~"

 

Juleka melted into her lips, her mind felt so dizzy, but she didn't want to leave this wonderful embrace. It was so much and so nice. And Juleka couldn't think of anything else other than the warmth against her and the beat of her heart echoing over any sound that could come to her. Eventually, they parted, and Rose took the moment to nuzzle closer, resting her head underneath her chin.

 

"Well that was fun." Rose giggled. Her voice felt like honey to Juleka's ears as her lips curled to a smile. "Your lipstick is a little smudged though."

 

"Hah.. now this feels a little scandalous." Juleka chuckled softly, making Rose giggle. Juleka sighed softly, trying to catch her breath a little. Rose snorted, tucking a loose hair behind Juleka's ear lovingly. Juleka giggled, looking at her. "You've got a little bit of lipstick on you too."

 

"Sorry, I might've gotten a bit carried away." Rose said, pulling herself off of Juleka and pulling her back up from her awkward half laying down half sitting up position so they were sitting in front of each other.

 

Rose was so beautiful. Juleka felt her heart burst with so much love, she nearly forgotten to stifle the purr that crawled up her chest. She choked on it a little, drawing a concerned expression from Rose.

 

"Baby you okay?" Rose asked softly.

 

WELL 'BABY' DIDN'T HELP AT ALL. FUCK THAT WAS TOO CUTE! Juleka wheezed hard, trying to hide the purr that was begging to be heard from her throat as her face it up red.

 

"Y-YEAH I'M GOOD!" Juleka squeaked, covering her mouth as her eyes darted away. Rose tilted her head, her eyebrows furrowed as she tried to check on her. She was so loving. It was Juleka's Achilles heel.

 

"Cat got your tongue? You can sign if that's easier." Rose suggested worriedly. Juleka tried to control her breathing. Oh cat got your tongue. Haha Rose. Cause cats. Oh god. You don't know the half of it. She thought. Juleka gave a small OK symbol.

 

"I'm alright, I just, god I just love you." Juleka smiled, leaning on Rose. Rose's face beamed with delight, scooching closer. Just in time. The fire works were starting. And they were beautiful. The two gasped and awed at the display of color and light, leaning closer to the glass.

 

Their muffled explosions behind a safe glass. Their bursts of color. To pinks and purples and gold.

 

"Is it too loud?" Rose asked.

 

"Nah." It was a bit loud. In fact, any louder, Juleka might be a bit scared. But Juleka could feel it already fading away, merely a back ground noise, as her gaze turned solely to Rose.

 

It was a perfect night. Juleka glanced down and stared at Rose who's face lit up with each burst of fire works, her face colored with it's glamourous display and Juleka couldn't help but goofily grin. She just adored her girlfriend so much, she beat out the line of crazy. 

 

Rose looked up and met her gaze with glittering eyes. Juleka pressed a kiss to her forehead and they looked out together.

 

And then suddenly the Ferris Wheel shook from impact.

 

"What the-" Juleka began, holding her closer.

 

They looked up and saw a monstrous figure climbing up the Ferris wheel, clambering up cart by cart. Oh god, it had multiple arms and- It passed over their gondola and eight, iris-less eyes stared into her soul before passing upwards. Juleka gulped, her eyes wide and mortified as Rose held onto her.

 

"Should we scream?" Juleka asked worriedly, her heart beating louder in her head.

 

"Y-Yeah! I think we should!" Rose squeaked.

 

"Cool!" Juleka shouted.

 

They paused.

 

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-"

 

...

 

Marinette was really excited for this Ferris Wheel thing. And after her fantastic ploy against Nora, imagine how much of a high she was on.  Well, ploy was quite the more, aggressive word. Marinette would rather call it, the puzzle she quickly solved. She was lucky Juleka got her signal too. Not a word needed.

 

But there was another puzzle to solve.

 

For Ladybug to fix.

 

And despite the laughs shared, there was a weight on Alya's shoulders that was dreading her Ferris Wheel Ride. She glanced down at her phone which was holding Adrien's little digital figure and to Nino at the side who was the main person talking to their friend, and Alya in front of her and she let her brain click.

 

"Hey Adrien? My battery is dying." Marinette announced, she smiled kindly at Nino. "Could you swap him over to your phone?"

 

"Huh? Oh sure!" Nino gave a thumbs up, wrestling for his phone.

 

"See you guys in like, five seconds!" Adrien waved goodbye before Marinette hung up. Alya looked up and began to dig through t her fanny pack.

 

"Oh girl you need an extra charger?" Alya asked- sitting next to her. Marinette glanced to the side seeing Nino mumbling under his breath as he dug into his pockets, looking where he last put his phone. Marinette turned back and waved a polite hand to Alya.

 

"No, no, I'm good. Thank you though." Marinette said politely, tilting her head to the side with a small smile. "But say, are you alright? With Nora and stuff?"

 

Alya sighed. Marinette watched her as she took of her glasses, her expression darkened with a more somber expression. Her hands twitching and folding, unfolding, her black glasses methodically. Like they were a puzzle to be solved.

 

"..'s been like this since I was little.. she takes way too much responsibility, imagines she can handle it perfectly, and then rolls with it without caring about what anyone says or thinks.." Alya huffed, her eyes never meeting hers. "I used to think it was cause she was strong, she's just naturally stubborn.."

 

"That sounds rough.." Marinette murmured softly. Alya let out an empty laugh, putting her glasses back on with a light click.

 

"It's fine. We're siblings, and I always know she loves me. I just feel demeaned yknow." Alya adjusted her glasses with a huff, she pointed up. "But hey, check out those."

 

"Woah! Looks like the fire works are starting, Adrien!" Nino shouted, holding up his phone just in time.

 

"Woah!"

 

Marinette gasped, leaving her seat to stand. Her hands pressed against the glass with awe, her face barely a breath away as she stared up. They were gorgeous, the fireworks. Shapes and colors, it was nearly overwhelming, and they were so close too. Marinette felt like the luckiest person on earth.

 

She reached to take Alya's hand, squeezing it with excitement.

 

"Are you seeing this!?" Marinette exclaimed, Alya laughed. There was a strange glaze of emotion that went over Alya's eyes. An equation Marinette couldn't quite calculate nor understand. Alya's eyes wrinkled at the edge as her smiled beamed across her cheeks.

 

"Sure am!" Alya said, her voice like a flutter against Marinette's face. Marinette smiled. And there was a moment where she figured she could stand here forever. So long as it was next to Alya. And the fireworks.

 

And then the Ferris Wheel shook.

 

And then a slam hit their gondola.

 

...

 

Oh man. Oh man and it just gets worse for Juleka doesn't it.

 

Juleka couldn't just, leave the gondola. No no. She was stuck. Cause she wasn't revealing herself today and even if she was she wasn't abandoning her girlfriend inside this death wheel. Nuh-uh. Not for all of Paris.

 

Ahahaha-And then. Anansi, Anansi is what she's named- and of course it's Nora who else in an entire city would be the only mad person today- girl looks like ten feet tall- she rips one gondola off- and- WHAT DO YOU KNOW- TAKES ALYA AS A HOSTAGE- BUT THEN- OH MANY SHE JUST- COULDN'T LEAVE THEM ALONE-

 

Juleka watched as Anansi needed something to just, spring off of! Hah! So she uses the Ferris Wheel!

 

And now they're spinning towards the seine. 

 

Juleka was holding onto Rose as they were pressed against one part of the seats. She was terrified. But she wasn't going to leave Rose. Not for second. Even if Plagg was screaming in her purse. 

 

Even if she was about to puke her guts out.! FUCK.!

 

Suddenly their ride to hell came to a slamming stop. Juleka wheezed as she hit the side of the wall and quickly got up to check on Rose.

 

"Rose.. Rose! Are you okay!?" She hissed with worry. Rose's head was spinning dizzily.

 

"Aaahamahm fine,," Rose drawled, leaning on her, her eyes looking like spirals as her face was flushed into a sickly egg-white. "Jus' lightheaded- just been spinnin'- held by strong arm gorlfrien' iszzz GREAT!"

 

"Right, ok." Juleka groaned, softly kissing her on the forehead. She pulled themselves to their feet and she glanced out the window. A streak of heroic red flashed by the window and a smile came upon her cheeks.

 

One by one, quickly and efficiently, were the Ferris Wheel riders freed from their prisons of glass and Juleka and Rose were let down quickly. Juleka nearly frightened herself, by how it felt to be held in Ladybug's arms as 'Juleka'. She felt very vulnerable somehow and when her shoes touched cement ground, a sudden chill went up her spine.

 

Rose was politely put down next to her and Ladybug was gone as quickly as she arrived in their gondola, rushing to the people that were below them. Rose dizzily patted herself down and turned to Juleka who was wobbling on her legs.

 

"Jules you okay?" She asked. Juleka shook her head. Ladybug was alone right now, and her eyes dragged to see no Alya in sight, and she felt her resolve solidify as she saw a path of webs entangle over Paris.

 

"The name is Anansi, like the spider!"

 

"Fuck." Juleka wheezed, standing up straight. "I gotta go throw up. I'll be right back, if I don't, I probably got lost-"

 

"Huh?! What?! Jules!? I- And she's gone."

 

Juleka ran fast, pushing through a crowd of people to lose Rose as guilty that made her feel. She ran down the Seine's side and deeper into the city. Plagg flew out from her bag, flying next to her.

 

"Wow! That was by far your most fun excuse to get away! Throwing up! That-" Plagg began. Juleka screeched to a stop and doubled over into a trashcan as the blood that had rushed to her head and finally made her lose it. 

 

She puked for a solid ten seconds before she slowly dragged her head out from the lid dizzily. Her throat burned. But there was finely relief to the spinning her mind had been doing since the Ferris wheel dislodged itself. Juleka blinked slowly, looking up at the mortified Plagg. He inhaled and just muttered.

 

"Okay. Cool."

 

"I'm not well." Juleka groaned, brushing the hair out of her face. "Plagg, Claws out, please."

 

...

 

Alya was Nino's best friend.

 

Now, that's quite bold you may say; Nino! Broski balonski! Isn't Adrien your best friend? He is! But he's more specifically, his best BRO. That is completely different. That's an entirely different dynamic that borders on dating but also beyond any sort of romance.

 

It's BROmance.

 

Take Kim for example. He knew the etiquette of having a Bro-Friend as did Ondine understand it. He was dating Ondine, but he was the bro of Max. They had a CHILD together. Markov was their BABY. They were BROS FOR LIFE.

 

But Alya was Nino's best friend. He was responsible for her and she was responsible for him. And that didn't always mean they were going to keep each other out of trouble, but it was making sure they were out of Danger and Harm. 

 

And Nino was failing her. She had just gotten taken by her giant, horrifying, h-horrifying gIANT SPIDER SISTER OH MY FUCKING GOD-

 

But she was his best friend! And he wasn't going to stop running, no matter how icy his lungs became, no matter how painfully his chest was pounding, he had to keep running to save his best friend because he had to and was going to no matter the cost because he cared about her so much. 

 

Nino loved strongly. And friendships deserved the same amount of love that his romantic relationships deserved no? Nino was a loner before this year. Sure he was childhood friends with Kim and Marinette. But He always just kept to his music.

 

He held his emotions close. It was safer in his shell. More easy. He didn't take risks and time would pass over him in the same stagnant but delicately Fine loop. But then things changed. And the love he had in his shell become more than his shield of safety could hold. It was overflowing. Loving others from afar meant nothing when you could, when you could do something with it.

 

And Nino wanted to protect his friends. He wanted to bring joy to them. Let him be the clown, let him be the headphones to drown that sadness out, let him be the life of the party that brightens up your birthday and let him be the shield that saves you from the gunfire.

 

Nino watched as Anansi leapt blocks in one jump, cackling away as the road was spread with a coat of webs. His eyes burned with rage and determination, his breath icy and haggard. 

 

"Come and get her if you're not a fly-weight!" Her voice echoed in his brain. Her taunting voice jabbing at him, mockingly. His eyes squeezed shut as he could see Nora sneering at him with a smirk. "What? You have a crush on my wittle sister or something?"

 

"I'm not a fly weight..!" He gritted through his teeth, clambering over a car. Golden flecked eyes snapped open. "And I don't need a crush to explain why I care about my friend so much..! Friendship is enough reason for me to do these kinds of stupid things.! It makes me sound stupid but I don't care! I know I already am!"

 

He crawled beneath another net of webs and gasped.

 

The Arc de Triomphe. Nino wasn't really a fan of architecture before but to say the vandalization of it made him mentally clutch his pearls, well, yeah. The arc had, from top to bottom, been covered in spider webs and stuck in it's spiraling trap, hanging at a horrifying height, was a struggling Alya.

 

"Alya!" Nino waved wildly, trying to catch his breath. Alya looked down and gasped.

 

"Nino!" Alya shouted, she looked around anxiously before turning back to him again. Nino felt his heart twist with worry. Alya never looked scared but right now, there was terror behind her glasses as she struggled to pull away from the webs trapping her. "Don't stick around! It's too dangerous!"

 

"Well, well, well. Look who it is.."

 

Nino nearly choked as he saw Nora- no- Anansi slowly crawl over the corner of the The Arc de Triomphe. Her body twitched and despite the lack of iris's Nino could see the way her eyes rolled and flick to all sides. Her bones clicked and her voice reverberated deep into Nino's bones. Oh god. How much he hated spiders.

 

Nino gulped.

 

"Anan-Anansi!" Nino panted, his voice squeaking as he struggled his grip on his bravery. To try and make his demands heard seriously. But oh wow, were, his knees wobbling, and, and his head spinning, and oh god, there looked like there were five Anansi's now in his vision. "You- You let Alya go! ...Ri...Right now!"

 

Anansi stared at him, unimpressed. You know, when she does that, he can see the resemblance between her and Alya. He wondered if the unimpressed look of doom was hereditary, wait, is that how it works?

 

"And how exactly is a weak little fly-weight gonna force me to release my prisoner?" Anansi shot. The ground suddenly shook under him, sending him to hiss ass painfully as Anansi leapt down from her perch in front of him. Nino held onto his hat, eyes bug-hah-wide as Anansi stared down at him. She had to be twelve feet tall at Least..

 

Nino let out a weak squeak from his throat.

 

His mind ran wild into a slideshow of how Anansi could absolutely murder him right here. Turned into smush against the pavement. Made into flyweight soup. Thrown into the stratosphere and just never seen again, just a little speck among the clouds. Which was actually kinda funny reminded him of Team Rocket but also equally horrifying.

 

He didn't like to think of that day often, but one thing was ingrained in him on the day Juleka was stabbed by Prince Shining.

 

Akumas can cause harm. They can kill. They are willing to Kill. They will kill.

 

And suddenly it slammed into him like a wall of concrete and instead of fear, fury was what soaked deep into his bones, burning through his veins and breath and suddenly he was stumbling to his feet and charging. HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT HE WAS DOING HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT HE WAS DOING HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT HE WAS DOING-

 

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-" He screamed, running at Anansi with raised fists. He swears her was punching. But even with his eyes squeezed shut with fear, he could feel that they were only cutting through the air. He peaked an eye open and his stomach dropped with despair as Anansi picked him up by his head. He was too weak for this..

 

"Useless." Anansi growled, reeling her arm backwards. 

 

And then suddenly Nino was flying through the air. Well. Turns out guess three really was the right one. He hoped he could shout Blasting Off Again but the air in his lungs had caught at his throat and when he began to arc, he squeezed his eyes shut, letting out a scream.

 

Oh please, when I turn into to just a smudge on the floor, please let it be PAINLESS- He mentally begged, tears pricking at the edge of his eyes. I'M SORRY ALYA-

 

Nino wheezed as something hard hit him. But it wasn't the floor. His eyes snapped open and he was greeted by two figures who he was so glad to see. Ladybug landed on the ground, setting him down gently while Panthera dropped soon after and held up his hat.

 

"It fell off you," Panthera said, handing it over. "It's weird to see your hatless you look naked without it."

 

"Thanks." Nino smiled shakily, dusting himself off as he took it. Man. He wasn't dreaming about flying today. But I'm alive now. I think. Now. Now. Now. I have to. I have to get back. He turned away and began his walk back to the Arc de Triomphe. "Well. Was kinda in the middle of something so I think I'll be getting back to that-"

 

"Hey, no you don't." Ladybug's voice came, and Nino squeaked as a yoyo pulled him backwards a few steps. Ladybug stared hard at him, her face stern. "You need to leave this to the professionals. This is too dangerous."

 

He turned to try and keep walking but he bumped into Panthera. He looked up, shakily putting his hat back on as Panthera's eyes, needle like and cold, spoke delicately towards him- though it didn't stop the heaviness in her voice to shake through him.

 

"You were this close to dying already, and you want to go in alone again?" Panthera hissed, her eyebrows furrowed. Nino's heart tied into knots as he shoved underneath Panthera's arms and began to continue tripping forward.

 

"I can't just give up. This isn't over.! This fucking spider.." Nino snapped, turning to the two heroes. Could they not understand? Or was he just a joke to them? "I have to go save Alya!"

 

"Nino! Wait!"

 

And he was bolting again.

 

...

 

Juleka watched him go, her tail lashing behind her, her hand traced over her side before she refocused. Her eyes thin.

 

"We should hurry." She muttered, ears flattened against her head.

 

"Agreed." Ladybug nodded grimly. "We'll beat him there, no doubt. And then, we'll defeat Anansi

 

Yeah. We'll save Nora. Juleka thought. They took two different routes. With the road covered in webs, Juleka climbed upwards and did her best parkouring over the roof tops while Ladybug swung herself from lamp post to building to chimney to lamp post.

 

There.

 

Panthera dropped down against the ground next to Ladybug and stared up at the portrait of webby madness that the Arc de Triomphe had become. Her eyes narrowed, spinning her staff in her hand as Anansi stood, waiting for them.

 

Anansi cracked her knuckles, all of them, one by one. Marinette growled beside Panthera, but she stopped her from charging forward too quick. Alya is in danger. And Juleka wanted to save her so badly. But if they acted recklessly...

 

Panthera's claws twitched but she forced her hand into a fist. They would save both Alya and Nora. Because saving akuma victims were their job.

 

"So it's two versus one now? Fine with me! Round two then..." Anansi's voice clicked gleefully, she raised her fists upward, lips quirking upwards. "FIGHT.!"

 

Ladybug darted backwards and Panthera charged forward. She dived down below a rib crushing punch that cracked the concrete. Juleka grimaced, and took a swing to Anansi's side with her staff. Anansi blocked it with an arm, and Juleka panicked as she found three different hands converging onto her.

 

"RAGH!"

 

Anansi's eyes snapped to the side and caught Ladybug mid air, chucking her sideways. Juleka took the opportunity to stutter a few feet away, snarling. Ok what to do. Move in a way she can’t predict, that sorta sacrifices any window of looking for a victory, but-

 

Juleka tried to run jaggedly at her, ducking under one swing but shouting as another fist connected into her cheek. The floor disappeared beneath her feet as she was sent flying into the ground. Juleka skidded against the cement and immediately jumped upwards to avoid three arms smashing into the pavement.

 

Her staff was gone! Shit!

 

She landed onto Anansi's shoulders, enraging her as she lashed about. A hand found Panthera's tail and threw her off immediately. A fist came flying down and Juleka had no choice to block it with her own arms.

 

"FUCK!" It hurt! She hit hard.! Try and redirect.. Juleka stumbled backwards, the world spinning as she took another hit to the shoulder. So many arms. That tiny detail made this really hard..

 

Hand on the left- bottom right- top right.. Panthera blocked with her forearm, grabbing top right's wrist to push it away, but yelped when she couldn't bend away from the bottom right haymaker as it cracked into her rubs.

 

Fuck.. I need to just start avoiding and dodging at this point, shit. She inhaled sharply as she stumbled backwards. Fuck fuck fuck fuck Ok ok- But this is ok it’s just until ladybug can think of a plan. Yeah. It'll be fine. Ow. 

 

Ladybug was back on her feet and tried to spin her yoyo around Anansi's wrists, she slid beneath the giant akuma's legs and shot upwards, cracking Anansi up the chin. The spider shouted, stumbling backwards. Panthera grabbed Ladybug's yoyo with her and they tugged hard as the yoyo went taut and wrapped around Anansi tight.

 

"How's it feel being in a Ladybug's web now!" Ladybug quipped. Anansi growled and suddenly the yoyo was yanked out of their hands as Anansi burst from her restraints. Anansi spat out a wad of blood, a tooth, and grimaced.

 

"You're confusing insects with arachnids, flyweight!" Anansi snarled, charging forward. Juleka's heard leapt, shoving Ladybug to the side and yelped as three fists, slammed into her chest. Juleka choked out a scream, as she was sent flying.

 

The cat hero slammed into something hard and she couldn't even gasp to breathe as her body fell hard and slack. Her eyes felt heavy, and there were dark spots in her vision as the agony had slowly began it's numbing, but the shock was still ever present and shaking through her twitching muscles.

 

A blur of red came running over, her voice muffled over the ringing in her ears, before Ladybug came to focus before her as she dropped next to her, sitting her up from the loud, ringing car that she'd halfway dented with her body.

 

"-anthera! Panthera! Are you okay!?" Ladybug cried out, her eyes wide and tearful with worry. Juleka shook her head dizzily. Sorta...? Oh man... she was... so dizzy... the world was spinning... her... was she spinning..?

 

"M'fine.." Panthera slurred, her eyes were struggling to focus on the other hero. Anansi's cackle broke through her fog as she looked over and could see Anansi punched through the air mockingly.

 

"On the floor already? We just started!" Anansi's voice echoed out across the arena. Juleka grimaced.

 

"Except my pride, clearly.." She didn't want to hurt Anansi. But she definitely wanted to beat her now. Call it competitiveness. "Let's save Nora and Alya, quick."

 

"Right." Ladybug nodded in agreement, rubbing her shoulder. "She freaked out when you got on her shoulders. And she doesn't have any boxing gloves so... I think the Akuma must be in her headgear."

 

"She won't let us get near it though.." Juleka wheezed, clutching her side hard.  Her arms and hands hurt from how much she had to redirect and block. But the battle wasn't over yet, not, it was just beginning. "She is.. too awesome."

 

"Okay, change of plan," Ladybug grimaced. "I take care of Anansi, you release the prisoner; it'll distract her enough to drop her guard."

 

"Sounds like a-"

 

"CAR!" Alya screamed from above. Thinking fast, Panthera grabbed Ladybug and threw them both out of the way. The impact against the ground hurt much less than the one into the car, but the world continued to spin around her as they rolled across the ground.

 

She looked up quickly and the two heroes gawked as where they once were was now the final, burning, resting place, of a smashed car and turning to Anansi, they saw a glimpse of the future as she held up another.

 

"Ding, ding, ding, bell's ringin'!" Anansi menaced. Her lips stretched into an awful grin. "Round three. FIGHT!"

 

They shot two different ways as another car smashed between them. Juleka skidded across the ground, her nails digging into the cement before jumping back to her feet. A harsh fire sparking in her chest that spat she sputtered like hot bubbles of lava.

 

Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. Save Alya. 

 

Save the akuma victim. Save the akuma victim. Save the akuma victim. Save the akuma victim. Save the akuma victim. Save the akuma victim. Save the akuma victim. Save the akuma victim. Save the akuma victim. Save the akuma victim. Save the akuma victim. Save the akuma victim. Save the akuma victim. 

 

The obvious thing came to her as she ran to the bottom of the Arc de Triomphe, looking up at the webbing Alya hung trapped in. If she can't get out of that webbing herself, it's not likely I will. She outstretched a hand to the wall.

 

"So I should use cata-" Juleka began before her body froze. No. No wait. No. Juleka looked up high Alya was, how much building there was. Could she even control cataclysm to just- no- if she could- how would she even bring Alya down? she was still stuck to web. She'd wall and Juleka wouldn't be able to catch her. Juleka wasn't scare of being hurt she was afraid of hurting Alya. 

 

"Panthera what are you doing!?" Ladybug shouted from afar. Panthera's heart was beating out of her chest, spinning around.

 

"It's too dangerous, Partner!" Panthera shouted, pointing upwards with panic in her eyes. "She'll be the equivalent of a fly on a car window if I just drop her from here with cataclysm but I can't just get up due to the webs! We need something to protect her!"

 

"Smart kitty, and looks like I've already got a catch..!"

 

Juleka choked on her breath as she was sent sprawling across the battle field once more. Anansi had somehow appeared behind her, reeling back a kick before sending her. She screeched against the ground, trying to find some sort of way to immediately return to her feet but she watched with terrified eyes as Anansi had already leapt at her. 

 

"PARTNER RUN-!" Was the last thing Panthera could really shout as she was grabbed from the ground. Anansi lifted her up by the neck, and she could hear the multiple scattered shouts from Alya- from Marinette- from Nino-

 

She slammed into the ground. Juleka's vision darkened, or perhaps the world was full of color. She was barely holding on. Everything hurt. Anansi was laughing.. or something... She wished she was watching the fire works right now.. was that them? Booming in her ears? Nah, just her head pounding as she struggled to hang on to consciousness.

 

Anansi wasn't holding her, at least she couldn't feel it. Juleka wheezed- Get.. back.. up!- her body struggled to pick herself back up. She dragged herself forward before her arms beneath her slacked like yolk.

 

Fighting's no fun anymore. Juleka dizzily thought, her eyes squinting. Ladybug ran. She ran when Panthera told her to. That's good. She thought. She needs to run... make a new plan.. she was the planner after all.. Marinette was ladybug.. she had... to.. stay alive.. and...

 

"knock out." Anansi hissed above her, foot stepping into her back. Juleka groaned weakly and she collapsed.

 

...

 

Alya watched as the red blur of Ladybug's form bounced far away. She must've been reforming a new plan.

 

I wish I could help.. but this day has been awful so far.. Her eyebrows furrowed before they snapped wide as the web bounced. Anansi unceremoniously dropped Panthera Noire next to her. Alya's heart spiked with worry at the battered h's form but she quickly delve to check on her when she saw the hero stirring.

 

"Panthera! Panthera look at me, how many fingers am I holding up!" Alya shouted, holding up her hand with just her thumb tucked down. Panthera weakly lifted her head up, her eyes squinting at her hand.

 

"Mm.. four?" She weakly slurred, her ears flattened against her head.

 

"Wow, really? You got it right?" Alya said, blinking with pleasant surprise. Maybe the damage wasn't so bad.

 

"Fourr.... glasses?" Panthera tilted her head to the side, looking at her. Her eyes dilated, they were like, teaspoons before but now they were plates. "Alya whyyydoyou 'ave four glasses... you only have one third eye stooopid.."

 

"You have a concussion. Great." Alya sighed with a disappointment before squeaking as Anansi crawled over to tug at Panthera's cat ears.

 

"Ow- ow.." Panthera whined, upset at what was going on. "Pleas' stop that, that hurts, I don't like that. No.."

 

"Where did you hide your earrings, kitty cat?!" Anansi barked with confusion. Earrings? Did Nora say Earrings? No. Oh god damn it Nora, no.

 

"Earrings?" Panthera sputtered in confusion, "I mean I got my firs' pair a' like.. age thirteen... 'cause ah threw up... I think... or just had a pani' attacgh.. onmy first day of school... and me ma wanted to cheer me up.. then las' year.. I.."

 

"What the hell is she talking about?" Anansi squinted. Alya groaned with annoyance.

 

"The earrings are Ladybug's Miraculous, dumbass!" Alya guffawed at big sister, if she could cross her arms right now she would, absolutely offended. "I can't believe you've gone this long without realizing this- I OWN THE LADYBLOG!"

 

"WELL LIKE-" Anansi began, sputtering. "I- I DON'T KNOW, I DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO LIKE- ALL THIS- HERO STUFF"

 

"I thought you watched my stuff!" Alya shouted, her eyebrows furrowed and she looked away with a tsk. She should've known. She should've known! Why would Nora care. She always just couldn't like what Alya did. "Right, of course, you don't watch them. Of course."

 

"N-No I do! I just- I don't get why you're into this stuff, Alya. Do you not see the life threatening shit going on!? I'm worried about you cause I love you!" Anansi said, arms crossing uncomfortably. Alya stared back, her eyes widening with shock.  "I don't want to see you in danger but you keep treating this like a hobby instead of just, running into what could be life threatening shit! So I'm keeping you safe.!"

 

"Oh like boxing is safe- Nora! Is this safe!?" Alya cried as the webbing beneath her pounced with her thrashing motion. Anansi grimaced, looking like she'd just taken a hit to the gut.

 

"You don't understand what safety is yet..! You're still a kid!" Anansi shouted.

 

"I'm not a kid anymore!" Alya insisted. "Am I really that pathetic to you!? That dumb That I'm just some toddler!?"

 

"No!" Anansi rebuked. "But!-"

 

"I'm so uncomfortable in this situation righ' now.." Panthera grumbled between them, her eyes squeezing shut. "I wanna go home and smooch my girlfrien'..."

 

Alya stared. 

 

Her head spun to the cat hero.

 

"Youe WHAT!?" She screamed at Panthera who squeaked with shock.

 

"HEY! SPIDER!"

 

Alya looked down and Anansi did too, her lips curling into a grimace.

 

"Nino!?"

 

...

 

Nino was scared dude. NINO WAS SUPER SCARED! OH MAN HE WAS GONNA SHIT HIS PANTS MAN OH FUCK OH GOD OH MY GOD OH SHIT FUCK MAN FUCK WHY DID LADYBUG TRUST HIM GOD- He was going to protect Alya and die trying. And he was going to die! That was like a for certain thing going on! And Nino was still terrified.!

 

"Wow, be careful. What are you trying to do with that little stick?" Anansi mocked. He'd never fought with a staff before! Ladybug really threw it into his hands, said good luck, and ran! Where the hell did she go!?

 

Nino tried to extend the staff to a distance he could hit the akuma, but it was a lot heavier than he thought it was, each swing sending his body stumbling forward. Anansi meanwhile simply dodged, footwork dodging backwards, head ducking out of the way with ease.

 

"On your left; no, on your right. No, the other right!" Alya shouted up above, letting out exaggerated winces and ooh's when he got punted backwards.

 

"ALYA!" Nino wheezed, "NOT! HELPING!"

 

"I'M TRYING!"

 

Why did Nora have to be a professional kick boxer!? Why couldn't she be like, oh I don't know, like a nice, zoo keeper- no wait that was Alya's dad. Maybe a singer- no that was Clara. Teacher...? Oh no. Ms Bustier. Yikes. Not pog.

 

Nino took another running swing and gasped as Anansi caught it with one hand, smirking.

 

"You're gonna hurt yourself.." Anansi growled darkly before throwing him onto the ground. A brief flash of a purple butterfly went across her face as she sneered. "How 'bout you sit tight and call your mommy to pick you up, Flyweight."

 

Nino growled with fury as she proceeded to strut away, he groaned, getting back up to his feet. Wait. The staff was heavy. It got heavier the longer it was. Hah- long- wait- keep thinking. Right. He got it!

 

Nino pressed one of the paw buttons and held it up sky, extending it- extending it-

 

"WHAT THE-!" Anansi shouted, barely dodging away as the staff slammed down into the ground where she was standing. Her face was stretched with shock, she had been genuinely thrown off guard. Nino let out a whoop of glee, his smile stretching from ear to ear. 

 

"So, who's the fly-weight now, huh?" Nino mocked as a swell of pride glowed in his chest. Anansi grimaced, enraged and his pride shrunk like a grape in the middle of a drought. Uh oh. Ahah- Hello awareness of mortality- there you are- haha- he was wondering about you.

 

"All right, big boy.." Anansi growled. Nino stumbled backwards but too late. It hurt to get walloped, it hurt even more to get whalloped with three fists instead of one.! Nino hit the ground hard once more but every time, he tried to get up. Like Panthera always did. But it hurt.

 

Nora was right. They were just kids. They felt mature, but from their view, but to Nora they all were probably just children to her. And she was right to want to protect them now, but now that she was off the wall, he had to keep them safe..! But how..!?

 

Nora hit the ground with a rough tumble, gripping hard to his only lifeline, Panthera's staff and he looked up to see Anansi sneering pridefully down at her.

 

"I suggest you stay down, cappie.." Anansi mocked, bending over to glare down at him. Nino grimaced, his body aching. How he wished he could wipe that grin after that face. Wait. No. He could. Nino smirked and pressed the extend button. 

 

It sent Anansi's head rocking backwards as a loud crack echoed through the scene as the top of the staff smashed her upside the head. STAAANDING HEEERE- I REAAALIZE- YOU WERE JUST LIKE ME- TRYING TO MAKE HISTORYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE- She let out a pained and surprised yell and Nino pumped his fist.

 

"GOTTEM!" Nino shouted.

 

"FUCK YEAH NINO! PRETEND I'M MIC DROPPING!" Alya shouted up above. HELL YEAH!

 

Anansi reeled forward, wiping a smear of blood from her lips, her tongue bit hard from the impact as her eyes flamed with rage. 

 

"YOU!" Anansi snarled, pointing down at him with all six of her arms. Nino held his ground. He refused to run away! Not this time! Not again! He was going to help his friends no matter what! He had to try! "YOU ARE GOING TO FUCKING REGRET THIS!"

 

"You shouldn't have underestimated me.!" Nino shot back.

 

Up above, Panthera nudged Alya.

 

"You should record this.. this is so cool.." Panthera mumbled, still looking pretty worse for wear.

 

"Reminds me when I have movement in my arms." Alya deadpanned, she looked to Nino at the ground. "I'm worried about him, he's taken a beating! He got that hit in but he can't take much more of this either!"

 

"He's doing pre'y good though.. my staff can be weird to use sometimes Bugaboo said so.." Panthera groaned, trying to lift herself up but wincing. She framed a dizzy smile on her bruised up face. "Why.. Don'chu thing?"

 

"Yeah, but I sure hope Ladybug comes back before he gets bad at it.. I don't want Nino to get hurt he's my best friend.." Alya hissed, eyes glazing upwards with fear. "Where are you Ladybug.."

 

"THE MATCH IS OVER!" Anansi bellowed, Nino yelped as Anansi finally grabbed him. She threw his staff away and grabbed him by an arm, a shoulder, and his waist. Nino squeaked, grabbing onto his hat. "TIME TO FLY LIGHTWEIGHT!"

 

"OH SHIT NO NO NO-" Nino screamed as she flung him upwards into the air. For the love of Pitbull Christ. He fucking hated heights now. Yup. Fear of heights. Forever. He's never going on a plane ever again. He's been thrown more times today than anyone should in their entire lives.

 

IT WAS GETTING OLD!

 

"TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIN!" HE FINALLY GOT THE LINE IN- OOF-

 

He was suddenly going an entirely different direction, he opened his eyes and he could see he was being carried and with a quick glance down, Ladybug was beaming at him.

 

"Perfect timing!"

 

"Ladybug!"

 

They landed onto a roof top, Ladybug fixing her hair from her face as he fixed his hat. They were quite a way's away from the Arc de Triomphe now. He must've been sent flying for a long while. Wild.

 

"Thanks, Ladydude—" Nino grinned before faltering with embarrassment. Oh god don't embarrass yourself in front of THE Ladybug. Alya is going to KILL me for messing that up! Nino mentally screamed, as Ladybug stared at him. "U-uh, I mean, Ladybug!  Ladybug. I meant.. Ladybug."

 

Ladybug laughed, her voice chittering in the air.

 

"Thanks for dropping by.." Ladybug sang in a teasing tune, before smirking a little. "Dude."

 

Nino laughed awkwardly as Ladybug casually fist bumped his shoulder. Woah.. she called him dude. That's crazy, dude. He hoped Alya and Panthera were doing ok

 

I mean- They'll probably be fine, Nino figured. He was pretty weak in his own opinion, he had the sneaking suspicion Marinette's innocent smiles were covering up the fact she totally helped him during arm wrestling, but if he managed to survive Anansi, he was sure Alya could survive her big sister. Maybe. Hopefully.

 

It was then, that Ladybug brought his attention back to him.

 

"Nino, I'm gonna need your help again." Her voice echoed in urgency. It was an order. An instruction. Her eyes were blazed with a determination and up close, he was almost afraid of the energy she reeked. Power. It was power and creation in it's most desperate form, asking, demanding him to answer. "Do you still wanna save your friend?"

 

His bones ached. And his bruises and welts felt like they were throbbing against his skin like angry kisses. Nino could feel his scrapes sting and he was sure he had bruised a bone somewhere during his tussle the Anansi.. 

 

..But he also must've hit his head hard, because Nino only smiled. He was an immovable object. A box made of steel. Anansi could keep trying, keep pushing in her unstoppable force but he'd be waiting with the impenetrable shield.

 

Nothing was going to push him from his place. He was going to fear, he was going to cry, he was going to rage, and it was going to hurt. Nino knew this all with an logical and now intimate understanding. But...

 

"I'll do anything to protect my friends." Nino said simply, though his voice strengthened with an undeterred resolve. Ladybug smiled and it was glowing.

 

"Nino Lahiffe," She whispered, sending a chill down his spine. Pulling from her yoyo, was a small- ornate wooden box. It looked totally dope. His eyes widened as he stared at it, like a drawing force had taken a fishing pool and casted upon his chest. "Behold, this is the Miraculous of the turtle, which grants the power of protection. You will use it for the greater good, I know that I can trust you."

 

"Woah, dude." Nino gasped, taking it into his hands. It was like a quiet heartbeat. The gentle uump, uump, uump of a tasty beat. "Alya would absolutely freak."

 

Nino wasn't into fancy stuff, but this box, was special, and carefully he opened it. His eyes widened as within was a small bracelet, and in a burst of green light, he watched as a glowing ball spun out of the box before floating above him in a flurry of awesomeness.

 

The glowing green light faded, and in front of him was a small glowing green dude. It looked almost alien and it's golden eyes opened to smile at him.

 

"Greetings, my name is Wayzz." The creature greeted formally with a bow. Oh man, and he was all gentlemanly too! That was wild! Woah dude, and he came out of the box too. Nino was thinking of something and he snapped, realizing what it reminded him of.

 

"Hey little guy, what are you, a genie like in those fairy tales?" Nino asked, speaking as, politely and totally dudely as possible. Nino had also bent down a little to Wayzz's level, his grin absolutely seared onto his face. He was just a funky little fella. Who could not love this funny guy! Wayzz chuckled, looking delighted by the young man.

 

"I am a kwami, a godlike creature born from the concept of Protection." Wayzz explained cordially. "I can't grant wishes, but I can give you super powers."

 

"DUDE! DOPE!" Nino gawked. Ladybug stepped forward, catching his attention once more.

 

"Once the job is done, and we save our Alya, you must return the Miraculous to me. You got that?" Ladybug asked with a smile. Right, he supposed this was temporary then. Aww, and he was already thinking about songs he wanted to show Wayzz. Nino made a vibe check, and he wasn't sure if this little kwami fella knew good music, yet. But still.

 

"You got it, dudette!" Nino grinned, holding up a giddy 'OK' sign. Wayzz spun around his head, his small arms opening wide with excitement.

 

"My! I haven't done this in a spell! Once you are ready, all you have to say is; Wayzz, shell on!" Wayzz said. Nino nodded quickly, putting on the bracelet. It felt, powerful, to wear. Though almost heavy, like the power itself was coursing through his veins already and the weight of the shell had now seeped onto his back. He was ready.

 

Nino grinned brightly, tugging his hat to the side.

 

"WAYZZ! SHELL ON!"

 

It felt like a tsunami had consumed him whole. Wayzz had been sucked into his bracelet and it was like a wave has prickled over every part of his skin. Breathing in oxygen felt different now. He was changing and becoming and staying all the same. Like every happy, strengthening memory, had engrained into his skin, empowering him.

 

Nino couldn't help but giggle, he felt good. He felt really good. Like he could dance all day and maybe he was dancing now. Spinning and flipping about in this new, being of self. Nino opened his eyes as he threw his hood on over his head, grin widening as he flicked that glow away and he was transformed- wearing a mixture of an armored super hero costume as well as a break dancer's uniform.

 

Nino laughed, "Dude! Look at me! This is crazy!"

 

But he couldn't soak in the joy lon, as echoing over Paris they could hear someone scream-

 

"CATACLYSM.!"

 

"That must've been Panthera!" Ladybug exclaimed with fright, turning to Nino wildly. "She must've used it to avoid getting her ring taken! We've got to hurry! Anansi can play the waiting game but we can't! We gotta do this quick!"

 

"A speed run! Got it!" Nino nodded.

 

"Lucky charm!" Nino would always watch with awe in Ladyblog highlights the absolute craziness that Ladybug's on the spot, put together, inventions and hero tools she made mid battle with her lucky charms and he would always gape in 'wow, she just always knows what she's doing' but watching a pair of boxing gloves fall into her hands he was beginning to pale.

 

"Boxing gloves? You're not gonna fight Anansi directly, are you?" Nino sputtered. Ladybug's eyes darted around, thinking, clicking gears into place before looking up at him and...

 

She grinned.

 

Oh god, Nino Lahiffe realized with horror.

 

She was a madwoman.

 

...

 

"Hey, six-hands! Catch this!"

 

Anansi yelped, deciding to let herself drop to avoid the incoming projectile. She landed hard on the ground and grimaced before realizing.

 

"Well well well... haven't tried turtle stew before!" Anansi remarked with a chuff as Ladybug and Nino landed down on the ground. Anansi ripped his shield from the web and, almost humoring him, threw it back into Nino's arms. Nino glared. "Change of pet? You replaced your kitty with a turtle?"

 

"Ow." Panthera remarked from above.

 

"I love animals, but I'm not into spiders." Ladybug smiled, spinning her yoyo at her side with the pair of boxing gloves hanging on her belt. Ladybug's steps became faster, going into a sprint- Nino keeping up as they charged the spider akuma with equal determination. "YAH!"

 

She threw her yoyo forward, the two watching as it flew past Anansi, much to the akuma's prideful amusement.

 

"You missed! And you call yourself a hero! Bah!" Anansi cackled.

 

"We'll harness her pride, she wants to prove a point so bad. So why don't we let her try?" Ladybug's plan ran in his head. Her confident smile, the glitter of thought in her eyes. Nino grinned, holding his shield up. 

 

"Did I?" Ladybug grinned. They split here- Nino kept charging before skidding to a stop as Anansi reeled her arms back and began their assault against him.

 

"USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESSSSS!" Anansi shouted, her voice echoing with each punch. But he wasn't just Nino this time. He was protected! He had a shield and he was going to use it.!

 

Nino- woah dude he should think of a dope hero name- leapt upwards, getting a good kick at Anansi that was blocked before blocking another serious of blows that would've knocked his ass minutes before. He felt more quick in this form, in it's own irony. He was pumped up, bruises and wounds numbed away by green scales and bouncy energy.

 

"You're too slow! Can't even hit a turtle!" He mocked, blocking another attack. Anansi snarled, getting more and more enraged by the second before-

 

"HEY ANANSI!"

 

Nino screeched backwards, breathing heavily. Whew, that was a rough one, good timing. Anansi swirled backwards, as Ladybug threw herself into the ring. And what a literal ring it was. Tied to each pillar of the Arc de Triomphe was Ladybug's yoyo.

 

"Panthera was right, it's too dangerous to just break the whole thing, but it's the only way we can get Alya down without getting stuck ourselves or wasting too much time. But now.. we have you."

 

It was going down, and they were yelling TIMBER BITCH.

 

Ladybug pointed forward with her boxing glove on, though it was a little hard to tell cause, Boxing glove. But her eyes still glowed with a radiant determination and- also- uh- unmistakable smugness that Nino wasn't sure if it was acting or genuine.

 

"I challenge you!" Ladybug shouted, her voice echoing through the ring. Anansi glared supsiciously.

 

"What?" She chuffed.

 

"One round." Ladybug said, pointing at her ears. "You win, you get my Miraculous. I win, you release your prisoners. What do you have to lose? In a few minutes, Panthera will transform back anyway. That can be our timer."

 

Anansi's body twitched before Nino watched as the akuma's teeth curled into an overconfident smile.

 

"I'll devour you, li'l nasty bug. It's a deal." Anansi growled.

 

Nino breathed in heavily, before smacking Panthera's staff and shield together, letting the sound ring.

 

"BEGIN!" He shouted.

 

Ladybug wasn't built to fight large villains like this. Not with her bare hands. She was a strategist first, and to play by the akuma's own rules was their biggest gamble. They were quite literally limbo dancing in a spider's den and that was both metaphorical and literal. So why do it exactly to their rules?

 

"STAY- FUCKING- STILL! SO I CAN GET YOU- IN- ONE- PUNCH!"

 

Anansi punched hard into the upper right pillar, sending the most horrifying cracks up the old monument holding his friend's life on the line. Nino's mouth was dry as he remembered the words he needed to say. Just time it right. When the time was right..!

 

"You can't punch the wind!"

 

Anansi punched hard into the bottom left pillar. Cracks.

 

"One punch, huh? Well, maybe if you could actually land one. What a waste of six arms! I mean six arms- you can't even hit me at all!- Oops!"

 

Anansi punched hard into the bottom right pillar. Cracks. Ladybug was an acrobat at work as she leapt and spun under every attack. Was she afraid of being hurt, or did she simply treat the exchange as a dance. Anansi had seemed to terrifying when Panthera was fighting, but now it was a game of cat and mouse. Like an episode of Tom and Jerry.

 

"SHUT UP!"

 

Anansi punched hard into the upper left pillar. Even more cracks. Nino gulped as he watched the trickles of falling dust and cement begin to fall above them as the monument keened, wobbly on it's crumbling legs.

 

"Why, do you have trouble doing two things at the same time?" Ladybug leapt over another punch, just inches away from her face. Ladybug leapt upwards and bopped her in the nose, sending Anansi screaming with rage and pain. "You're so weak that when you're shadow-boxing, your shadow wins!"

 

"ENOUGH!"

 

Anansi reeled her leg back and slammed into Ladybug's stomach, sending her flying into the side, nearly bouncing off the wires off her makeshift ring. Nino gasped, almost rushing to her but Ladybug held back a hand as she weakly held onto herself, picking herself to her feet as she leaned against her yoyo.

 

"You can't win this fight, stupid kid!" Anansi grimaced, looming over her with rage. "So give up and give me your Miraculous, eat a salad, AND MAKE WAY FOR THE TOP INSECT PREDATOR!"

 

"You wish." Ladybug chuffed, slowly pulling the wires backwards with her body. Nino's heart jumped as he watched the Arc begin to shake as the wires tightened around the pillars and the whole monument began to fully keen.

 

"OH SHIT.!" Panthera screamed from above, shaking in the web trying to thrash out an escape.

 

"LADYBUG!" Alya shouted, terrified.

 

"LADYDUDE!" Nino shouted to the ladybug hero from his side. 

 

"NOW CAPTAIN TURTLE!" Eh, he'll workshop it- OH WAIT HIS QUEUE- YES! "USE YOUR POWER NOW!"

 

"NO NEED TO TELL ME TWICE!" Nino shouted, leaping up into the air to where his best friend was hanging around.

 

He landed with a bounce on the web, feeling it shake with impact. It was sticky as hell, he definitely got it now. Alya's eyes were widened with shock at him but there wasn't time for autographs, yet. Ladybug landed next to him as he took the shield off his back and held it upwards as he cried one word.

 

"SHELLTER!"

 

Nino watched with awe as a giant, glowing green sphere with a scale like designed sheen that glimmered across it surrounded them completely. It balled around them- cutting through the webbing and sending them falling.

 

They felt themselves thrown around in the safety bubble, their screams echoing loud within as the Arc de Triomphe crumbled around them in an explosion of dust and rock. They rolled around for a bit, slamming into each other, it wasn't the nicest landing and he was pretty sure he ate Alya's hair like, twice, before finally they landed in didn't keep moving.

 

They laid there, in their bubble, for a few seconds, staring up at the open sky- tinted by green- before Nino recalled his powers.

 

"Woah." He said. That was, the coolest thing, he'd ever done. "Fuck"

 

"Woah is right, who the hell are you!?" Alya gasped, pointing at him with a flabbergasted  expression on her face. Nino squeaked. Oh god. He was on this side of things now. This was surreal.

 

"Panthera you okay?"

 

"Head even more dizzy... where's Anansi?"

 

"RRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH-"

 

The group stood up with fright as bursting from the pile of gravel and destruction was an even more pissed akuma. Nora threw himself in front of Alya immediately and held up his shield, but he was treated to a show as Ladybug and Panthera took charge instead.

 

"HERE! WE! GOOOOO!" Ladybug shouted, throwing Panthera forward. Panthera tackled into Anansi and swiped her hand across the akuma's boxing helmet. Anansi let out a shriek as her body reeled back.

 

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

 

The moment the butterfly fluttered out, Ladybug was rushing through her finishing up traditions. Catching the butterfly, vibe checking it, fixing the vibes, then tossing her boxing gloves in the air an saying-

 

"MIRACULOUS LADYBUG!"

 

Nino was glad they didn't get sued for property damages. He let out a heavy breathe. Holy crap. That was today. That was, absolutely insane. The Arc had been fixed, leaving them back on solid, normal ground.

 

"Agh.. my head.." Panthera groaned, rubbing her temples uncomfortably, "It's still dizzy but I think the headache's over.."

 

"There's my kitty, glad to see you back to normal." Ladybug smiled, patting her back.

 

"It's been a rough day." Panthera complained, her tail lashing behind her with a huff. "God I've said some embarrassing things today. At least it's over."

 

"The Beetle and Whiskers? What's going on here?" The four turned to see Nora, returned to normal. The older woman was groaning as she stumbled to stand. "Agh... my head's hurtin'.. what happened? Where am I?"

 

"Nora.!" Alya gasped, running to her sister's side with concern. Nino smiled at the two of them. They'll be alright. A beep suddenly invaded the space between them however, and they once again turned to see Panthera.

 

"Gotta run." Panthera said, looking at her ring. She smiled, making an 'OK' symbol with a smile as she turned to leave. "I'll catch you all on the flip side."

 

"Hey! Panthera!" Alya shouted over to the cat hero who glanced to her over her shoulder curiously. The blogger waved mischievously. "Tell your girlfriend I said hi! Would you?"

 

Nino's eyes widened with confusion. PANTHERA'S GOT A WHAT NOW? Panthera's face blanched, looking a little uncharacteristically panicked before giving a sly, lazy grin. She made a light salute.

 

"Yeah! No! Probably won't! Ahah!" Panthera laughed happily. Ouch! Cold rejection. With the smile too...

 

"GIRLFRIEND!?" Ladybug squawked, her face pink.

 

"Nothing, Red! I must've been talking nonsense aha! Let's go you two!- SAFE TRAVELS-" Panthera gestured her off, taking a running start before leaping away, Ladybug shouting behind. Nino watched from the ground, he could hear his miraculous- his miraculous- beeping.

 

"Hey, Shellbert!" Alya nudged him with a foxy grin, she was holding up a camera.. "You gotta go, newbie!"

 

Nino stared down at her. His best friend was safe, and that filled him with joy. Even if, under a disguise, she decided to be a little shit to him. He laughed.

 

"I know, dude! And it's not Shellbert..." The turtle hero smiled, a glow of pride within him shining. "It's Carapace!"

 

"Carapace huh, sounds dorky." Alya commented. He chuckled.

 

"I'll take anything than Shellbert!" Carapace shot back, taking a running start after the heroes and jumping. He waved a shaka at her, sticking his tongue out goofily as he flew through the air. "See you on the flip side! COWABUNGA!"

 

"OH HE DID NOT!"

 

...

 

After saying goodnight to Rose on the phone- Juleka sighed with relief as she snuggled deeper into the warmth of her hoodie. Looking to the sight she clambered a hand to successfully grab her warm cup of tea, savoring the moment it's warmth slipped down her throat and pooled into her tummy like an elixir of nice comfort.

 

She took in a deep breath and sighed. Just oxygen filling her lungs, calming and soothing. Breathing was nice. It was steady. Reminded her she was alive and safe. 

 

"Do you need any ice?" Luka asked, hovering over her. "No aches?"

 

"Naah," Juleka smiled, letting her eyes close at the feeling of not being in awful agony. She could feel Minou padding up to sit next to her, and he was even accepting some nice ear scratches this time. Juleka giggled to herself. "Cozy."

 

"You got your ass kicked today." Luka noted with a chortle. Juleka had no energy to shoot back at him, just melting further into the couch.

 

"I'm just gonna sit like this, for hours." 

 

"Lol."

 

 

Notes:

I decided not to have Alya not recognize Carapace. Not for any really important reasons or cause this fic isn't DJWIFI. I just think it'd be funny for future scenes.

Fun fact

Nora is voiced by Xiao from Genshin Impact that's funny

happy pride!

Chapter 62: Frozer

Summary:

The F in Frozer stands for FRUITY

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

"WOAHWHAHAHAAOAOAOH"

 

"UP THERE!"

 

"GOTCHA!"

 

Ladybug landed on the ground lightly with the man in her arms. Panthera dropped down next to her with a quick breath. She had to throw Ladybug real high for that one, and destroy a light post before the guy slammed into it with cataclysm. Eh, the city can pay for that.

 

But she caught the bouquet, and her control on that cataclysm went really well! So that was a win for her! She stretched her back lazily as Ladybug patted down the poor glider guy. Her tail twitched behind her.

 

If you asked her, saving people was Juleka's favorite part of being a superhero. It felt like that should've been the main priority about this job, but often, it felt like being a hero was more about punching emotionally compromised people, which was Juleka's least favorite thing to do at all.

 

People were cheering their name at least, mostly Ladybug's, but there were a few people Juleka waved to that were asking for a picture. But the idea of having to act like Panthera, flirty Panthera, sent a strong discomforting shiver down her spine. Especially today.

 

"Guess my delta plane express delivery wasn't exactly the best idea." The glider man chuckled sheepishly to Ladybug. Panthera's tail flicked behind her and she turned to him, pacing over briskly.

 

"Don't forget your bouquet," Juleka said politely, she placed it gingerly back in his hands, but her eyes lifted as a flower caught her eye. "Actually sir, can I take one of these? This one is, very pretty."

 

"Sure, go ahead!"

 

Juleka hummed, admiring the blooming, vibrant red rose in her claws. Her heart skipped, admiring it, as it reminded her of someone else. Her someone else. Juleka smiled to herself, a soft sigh leaving her lips. She didn't even realize her ring was beeping until she could see it flashing in her face.

 

"-Panthera I'm talking to you."

 

"Huh?" She looked up, seeing Ladybug crossing her arms in front of her with a half pout on her lips. Ladybug's eyebrow cocked up. Juleka blinked in confusion at her. She didn't look mad she looked, more constipated if anything. Judgy? Not quite... hmmmmmm..

 

"Who's that for?" Ladybug asked, blinking her out of her thoughts again. She pointed at the rose in her claws. "Is it for... your... girlfriend?"

 

"Huh? Oh." Juleka looked at the rose and shook her head. It was about this again. Juleka mentally huffed to herself. Ever since Anansi where Alya just so happened to say that one thing... "No, no it's not for her. She doesn't like seeing flowers wilt anyways. It makes her sad."

 

"Panthera," Ladybug tutted, arms crossed. "I'm gonna say it, I really don't think you should be in love with someone- let alone date someone. We're heroes!"

 

"You supported my crush before." Panthera remarked quickly, but quickly smoothed down her emotions with a slow smirk. "What's got you with cold feet now? You jelly, jelly-bug?"

 

"No." She said, shaking her head. She tried hard to explain herself, Juleka's beeping ring echoing between them. "Well I just- I supported your crush cause it was a crush then, it's not that I think you shouldn't date, or well-"

 

"You did say that." Juleka's tail flicked.

 

"Well- Look- I just think-" Ladybug said slowly, "That maybe, most likely, it'll be dangerous! There are people close to you! Your- girlfriend is close to you! And what will Paris think knowing Cat-sanova is finally taken?"

 

"I dunno, I don't really check social media about me much anymore. It's all sorta the same anyways." Panthera replied shallowly, her arms slowly crossed. The sharpness in her tone did not go unheard of as she let out a low quip. "You care about what and how people think of you a lot, partner."

 

"So do you." Ladybug was quick to say.

 

"But it's different for you, isn't it." Juleka said softly, looking up at her. The Marinette in Ladybug shifted uncomfortably at that. Confliction rippling underneath her skin like bugs. Her eyes darted away from the cat hero and she traced away from her, her head clicking with thought. Before she finally had words to speak.

 

"We hold a very important example to our city, Panthera." Marinette said, gesturing to the citizens below them, beyond them. She stepped up onto the ledge of the building and Juleka looked up at her, the light of the sun dancing hard into her eyes as she strained to meet Marinette's gaze. "We don't know how long it's gonna take us to defeat Hawkmoth, but we have to make sure Paris believes and knows we're never going to lose against him."

 

Her grip on the rose tightened. Her eyebrows narrowed.

 

"If he weren't here, would things be different?" Juleka asked softly.

 

"Well, I- I..." Marinette's voice fell before her expression hardened. Ladybug began to swing her yoyo at her side, preparing for her take off. Her fingers deft as they spun the wire around and her eyes trained focused on the horizon like a target. Far, far, further. And her voice already there, just a soft whisper on the wind.

 

"I can't even begin to imagine him not being here." Ladybug murmured underneath her tone, "I'm just warning you, Panthera. I want to protect you after all. It's not smart or wise to try and date juggling two lives I don't think."

 

"I'm still going to date my girlfriend I love." Juleka replied earnestly. Her eyes narrowed as the burn to 'fight' flared in her chest. She licked her dry, cracked, lips. As she hardened her voice once more. "And I'll just prove to you it's not only possible, but worth it."

 

"Just don't tell her you're, Panthera. At least abide by those rules?" Ladybug sighed, finally looking at her with a slightly disgruntled stare. Juleka let out a hearty chuckle, though a spark of discomfort treaded her voice. Like I'd want to do that after the disaster Princess Prom and after was.. She scratched the back of her neck.

 

"Right, Right." She replied lightly. Her ring beeped once more, catching her eyes, before she looked up at Ladybug. Still standing above her on her perch. Panthera waved one of her claws and did a dramatic curtsy-ish bow. "I'll see you another time then, partner. Safe travels."

 

"As always," Ladybug smiled, she finally flung her swinging yoyo and swept herself off. "Bug out!"

 

Panthera watched her go, before checking down at her rose. One of the petal's falling on it's own.

 

The cat hero hummed, and when she was jumping quick across the city after a quick recharge, she let it slip from her hands above Dupont, maybe some lucky fella or lady would take it. Rose didn't like wilting flowers anyhow.

 

And Juleka was going to visit her.

 

"I'm here, sorry I was a little late." Juleka opened the hospital door and she let out a breath. Rose sat there on her bed, looking up from reading. Rose's eyes wide and glittering blue and a spark of joy twitching her lips upwards. Her face illuminated heavenly with those hanging white blinds at the wall's side.

 

A smile softly went across Juleka's lips and she slowly stepped in. Her shoes echoing against the squeaky tile.

 

"T-There was a Panthera and Ladybug sighting thing today, weirdest thing I ever saw," Juleka said, scraping a chair by to sit down next to the bed. She let out a throaty chuckle, the words flying out of her mouth without much thought as she soaked in Rose's ever molecule to her memory. Enraptured only by her.

 

"What was it like?" Rose asked amusedly. Her voice like reeds against the cold icy wind.

 

"Some guy was trying to do deliveries with a hang glider. I had to record it for Alya.." Juleka snorted, scratching the back of her neck idly. Her voice softened as she looked at Rose deeply. "How are you?" 

 

"Headaches, dizzy, check ups, you know how it is." Rose sighed, waving a disgruntled hand. "It's so boring here. There's only so many channels on the TV too. I ended up watching an Australian Dog Show for Preschoolers for like two hours."

 

"And how was that?" 

 

"Oh it was actually kinda cute." 

 

Juleka chuckled. Rose's expression softened at her, before her body stiffened and she let out a weak cough. Juleka's fear spiked and she stood up quickly but Rose eased her down just as fast, hand reaching Juleka's, and taking her shoulder to sit her back down, but also letting her lean against her as well.

 

"I'm alright." Rose sighed, reassuringly to the girl. "Just a rougher day than usual. I took my meds too, and it was just, bleh. They said it was just gonna be a check up but they just want me here for even longer."

 

"Gross." Juleka said

 

"Gross." Rose agreed, giggling. Juleka hummed, looking at her Rose. All hospital rooms, no matter how many Rose would be in, looked the same. Vases, white sheets, white walls, white floors, and the stale taste of death upon the grim reaper's red lips. 

 

And Rose would be the same, but also different. Her eyes still glittering stars, and her hand intertwined with Juleka's. Juleka leaned her head against her's, the sheets shifting between them as she nestled into Rose's neck.

 

Rose was warm and alive, breathing, and would always. The truths of now would comfort her later and anchored her to the reality of Rose's chuckled breath against her ear, soft, and hushed. Juleka gulped down her own purrs as Rose relaxed with her. 

 

"We should go on a date tomorrow, when I'm let out." Rose smiled against her, a hand snaking into Juleka's hair. Juleka's eyes fluttered as she felt Rose softly petting through it, combing her fingers, and playing gently. Braiding. "Doesn't that sound fun? Just the two of us?"

 

"..juuust the two of us,~" Juleka started to hum to that, chuckling. A date sounded really nice. She was already lost in her own fantasies of that. Spending time with Rose felt like it's own wonderland.

 

"Jules-" Rose snorted, her smile widening.

 

"We can make it if we trrry~" Juleka drawled, sitting up to spin in her chair a little goofily.

 

"Just the two of us..~" Rose giggled.

 

"Just the two of us-" Their voices jumped up at an uncomfortably high pitch, making them cough, and giggle uncontrollably. Juleka didn't have to fight to prove being with Rose was worth it. To prove she loved Rose enough to keep loving her.

 

She didn't quite think about the rose she dropped earlier.

 

...

 

Adrien made his way up the steps of Dupont when a rose drifted down before him. He blinked in confusion. That was, very unexpected. He looked up and around, but, seriously where could've that dropped from?

 

Fencing.

 

He actually quite liked fencing. It was still an egregious task he was assigned to by his father and to be upmost the best and perfect in underneath his pressuring expectations of anything but perfect- but it was something he enjoyed far more than Modeling. Which was a job. Not a recreational activity.

 

And underneath the mask, he didn't have to make a pretty face as he struggled and spat and cursed. Underneath the mask, Adrien felt safe. It's why he built an invisible one outside of the sport.

 

"Adrien!"

 

"C-Coming!" He shouted, shoving it into his bag with a strange sense of attachment to the weird flower.

 

Adrien lived in cycles. If he was a bit more happier, or a bit more foolish, he'd call his life some sort of play house game. He was the favorite doll. And he'd repeat the same several things that made every color dull and every taste bland.

 

Every day wasn't completely identical, that's how days worked, but his life itself... It was like the Agreste Mansion was suspended in time. For ever on the same wheel that rolled on and on without a change or crack to it's fixture.

 

Adrien was eating his own tail in the desperation to simply not starve. And the venom trickling down his throat that he was fed every single day grew to feel such a dry and tasteless flavor upon his tongue.

 

He hated to admit it.

 

It felt wrong and almost.. evil but that's why he.. sorta.. liked.. Akumas.

 

They canceled his plans.. he was free to live on the edge of danger. He could do something Adrien didn't always have to do. He could run, he could feel scared, he could be protected, and he could protect his friends. It.. it felt wrong.

 

But that was his truth that no one would never know, that Adrien Agreste was so starved of the unexpected and the land of the living he hungered for the danger of evil's sleepless state of rising snarls of action.

 

Adrien refused to be the bitter pill. He refused to. Because when he lived the farthest from poverty, when there were years he was loved, when he had friends now, and if he could wait just a bit more there was the chance.

 

Why would he risk things? Why would he make people upset? Why would he step out of line? Why would he dare to feel sad and unfulfilled? When those things were some of the only things he was in control of.

 

But even then, with all of that logical reasoning, he would still find some corner in his mind to dream. To wonder. If he ever argued with his father just a step more..

 

"Hello, Adrien."

 

Adrien blinked out of his veil foggy thoughts and saw Kagami slow in front of him. Despite her bright red outfit, he hadn't even noticed her appear. The fencing prodigy, the girl, his friend smirked at his slightly dumbstruck look. 

 

"Put your mask on, Adrien, you're my target today." She said sharply, her voice like a clean blade slicing through his system. Yet there was such a ray of excitement that thrummed off of her every hair. Adrien eye's blew up wide and he was surprised by the smile that hit his lips so quick.

 

"As you wish." He said curtly with a dramatic bow. Kagami grinned at that, at Him, strutting away to put on her fencing helmet on. A slight kick to her step. Adrien felt his face feel a little gooey. That was becoming a bit more frequently with Kagami. Kagami...

 

She was effortlessly strong, is what it felt like. Kagami spoke her mind, often out of turn, and yet, she accepted the consequences with such thick skin, she powered through it completely. She was so.. true.. to herself. That..

 

Kagami could take on anything, she could take on the world. Adrien shook his head. Woah, that was a lot of thinking about Kagami. Kagami.. woah, woah there. What was going on there? She was just a.. friend?

 

"You sure take your time, Mr. Agreste." Mr D'Argencourt said primly as Adrien finally slithered his way over. His grip tightened on his fencing rapier but he was strong. Strong too. Just in different ways. His body held still.

 

"Sorry." He said quickly with a polite smile. "I was just..."

 

Kagami met his eyes with a competitive smile and lifted up her sword. Adrien's lips twitched. The rush of competitiveness was ought to be the energy sparking in him. Pent up adrenaline he needed to get out, that he trusted Kagami to challenge surely.

 

"Distracted" He said, pulling his helmet over his eyes. "But I'm ready."

 

"En garde!"

 

Swords clashed. Adrien wouldn't exactly- er- say he was into being beat up by powerful woman, in fact...

 

"Predictable!"

 

"Gagh!"

 

"Predicable again!"

 

Owww.. it hurt a lot. Kagami hit hard. But even so, Adrien enjoyed fighting Kagami. She was one of the only people he felt, like, got it. And better yet, she was perfectly outside of his reach, where she should be, right? 

 

"Too predictable."

 

She seemed to glow before him. Like some statuesque goddess of war.

 

"Way too predictable!"

 

Kagami's rare laugh, as it was, chirped high in his ears with glowing, electric pride. That buzzed off his skin and send his tumbling body that hit the ground still filling static jolts in his nerves. Adrien groaned, sitting up. She was better than him.. and that was a blatant fact.. and that made her so.. incredible.

 

He stared at himself in the sliver of metal that was his sword. That was all there was to see of it, it seemed. Predictable..

 

Fencing ended and Adrien sat, body aching and sore on the locker room bench. There was a few thoughts on his mind in his lonesomeness. His parents. He wondered how they felt when they fell in love? Was it this, big, they knew moment? Or.. did they or one of them have a crush on the other? Did they know? Did they act on it? Were they ever awkward?

 

Could his dad ever replace her? Could Adrien ever fill the hole in his father's heart? Would Adrien ever give up trying? Would.. he? Why... should he? When he's seen the answer in his face, over, and over again?

 

"What's going on, Adrien? I usually enjoy defeating you, hah, but... it's no fun when you make it that easy."

 

Adrien looked up, and there was Kagami again. Her maple brown eyes deep and ever swirling. Freckles dappled over her cheeks like sun kisses and something about the honesty her spirit demanded made him weak. Adrien felt his shoulders droop and he looked away from her with a layer of shame. 

 

"Do you ever get the feeling that you're stuck, Kagami?" He asked finally, his hands wringing together. Shock sent her eyebrows breaching her hair line as she stared at him. Adrien sighed, biting his tongue. "That no matter what you do, it's the same old story over and over again. That things will never ever change?"

 

"Is this about your father?" Kagami asked thinly. His shoulders tensed and she lightly sighed.

 

Adrien didn't dare to look up, fearful of her gaze, but his eyes then lifted with surprise, when he saw the girl sit next to him, and a veil of, vulnerable sincerity over came her expression. And for once, no words came from her lips. And then, Adrien understood as her shoulder brushed his. Thank you, He mentally said. Thank you.

 

"It, yes, it is about him.." Adrien finally fully said, his voice stiff and his body rigid as he forced the words out.

 

"He is not worth your time and energy." Kagami snarled sharply.

 

Adrien flinched at that and Kagami cringed at the cause of his reaction. She stifled a sigh. Adrien could hear her, trying to find a new tone.. she cared about how she wanted to speak to him, how she wanted him to hear her. And so she spoke up once more. Trying again.

 

"Adrien, the biggest mistake a fencer can make isn't choosing the wrong technique. It's choosing the wrong target." Kagami said, her voice barely a tremble. Her thoughts and ideals clear, and she turned to look at him with a smile.

 

Adrien's eyes lifted as Kagami took his face by a delicate, calloused hand, and tilted his face up to Look At Her. And her words instructed a simple idea.

 

"Change targets."

 

Adrien blinked up at her. Targets. A focus in life. To focus on someone else's approval than his father's. Changing.. His eyes widened as he took Kagami in and, shyly, he pulled from his bag- the rose. He might've been the luckiest guy in the world he thought, almost chuckling a little.

 

Kagami's eyes lit up, and slowly, she plucked it gingerly from his gloved hand. Her eyes glazed over as she looked at it, and there was a moment of fearful hesitance in Adrien's heart, before she smiled at him.

 

...

 

"-AND SO GIRLS, TODAY AT AROUND 3:21, HE ASKED ME OR DATING ADVICE! AND NOW WE'RE HERE!"

 

Juleka squeaked as Marinette slapped her hand on the white board, sending an echo through the house. Her hair bristled from the shock, but Juleka took a breath and calmed herself quick.

 

It was a nice Monday so far. School had gone by quick, Rose was back, and she and Juleka were planning a date. But it was then when Marinette had suddenly in a rush grabbed every part of the girl squad and BOLTED to the hills. That being, the girl group ended up at Alya's.

 

While Alya had 'banished' the twins to outside of her room, Juleka could clearly see the two kids peaking through the crack of the door, to which, she ignored. The girls were silent as they stared up at Marinette, who stared at them all expectantly. Alix looked up at Juleka and back.

 

"You know we were all dragged in here, and you went into that huge rush of what you were talking about, that I processed virtually none of it. What's going on?" Alix asked roughly. Marinette let out a big sigh. 

 

"Adrien asked Kagami Tsurugi-" Marinette tapped a photo of a photo of the girl in what looked like a fencing outfit, taped to a picture of Riposte- aka her as an akuma. "-Out on a date. And asked me to help with his date ideas cause he did it on impulse and doesn't know what to do."

 

"And we all know how great Marinette is at dates." Alya lovingly teased, poking at Marinette's rib. Rose slowly squinted.

 

"But she's never been on a date before!" Rose pointed out. Marinette's face burned a hot red as the group shared their chuckles. Juleka did her best to suppress her own, but she still ended up snorting. Technically she has, the Panthera part of her thought. But like hell am I mentioning that.

 

"Yes, Rose. I haven't.." Marinette grumbled. 

 

"Are we ever telling Adrien the massive honking crush you had on him and never jumped on?" Alix asked, her lips flicking up in a teasing fashion.

 

"No." Marinette immediately hissed, squinting hard. "No way in hell.."

 

"Right- okay-" Alix held up her hands defensively. "So wait, did you say anything else to him?"

 

Marinette groaned with embarrassment, face palming to herself before replying.

 

"Well you see... It's not like I'm jealous, but I don't really... like... Kagami." Marinette confessed, tugging at her hair and pacing. "She's just got such an ice queen vibe to her! Every time I see her! She looks so intimidating! And can be so cold to anyone! So I sorta.. called her that.. In front of Adrien."

 

"Is she-"

 

"-Like Elsa!?"

 

"Etta, Ella! Get out!" Alya spun around at the door, shouting. The two twins squeaked and dove back outside the door. 

 

"Smooth, Marinette." Alix drawled.

 

"But the plus side is that I managed to cover it up!" Marinette pepped, before her body shriveled in on itself. "But on the downside... not only did I tell him I'd come with him for encouragement... I told him to go to the Ice Rink..."

 

The girls paused.

 

"Can you ice skate?" Mylene squinted at her. Marinette inhaled sharply and groaned defeatedly.

 

"No. No I do not."

 

"Yeah I didn't think you would- I can just imagine the worst crash imaginable right in front of my eyes right now. Ouch." Alix cringed. Juleka squinted, imagining it too, and hissed. Oh god. Marinette in ice skates? No way, that's a recipe to disaster, and Marinette knew it.

 

"Who here can even ice skate?" Mylene asked curiously. That was a good question, Juleka thought as she leant back against the chaise with Rose in her arms. Half watching Marinette have a mental breakdown in the background. Alix let out an 'ehhh' sound.

 

"Barely." Alix replied. "It's different from roller-skating man."

 

"Uh.." Juleka began.

 

"Adrien said he could ice skate too though, right?" Alya asked, cutting through them, trying to calm the distressed Marinette. Juleka held up a hand weakly.

 

"Yeah but he'll be busy with Kagami." Juleka pointed out, making Marinette panic more unfortunetly.

 

"Oh goood... I'm gonna be so awkward there... and then it's gonna make them feel awkward..." Marinette groaned, burying her face in her hands with despair. Alya shook her head wildly. Alya would drill a hole through a mountain if it got Marinette to where she wanted to go. So she was quick to grab a marker to the board and spoke up-

 

"You have got to get yourself out of this right now. And we'll help you out, girl." Alya said determinedly, snapping her hand at the gang. "Alright! Ideas guys! Quick! What's our scheme here?"

 

"Tell him you'd already promised to hang with your GFs and you just forgot?" Alix offered immediately, she shrugged awkwardly. "It's how I get out of tricky things I don't wanna go to. No offense."

 

"You had to finish an essay on Periwinkle's migration?" Mylene tapped her chin.

 

"Maybe you're gonna go to a concert?" Juleka thought up. That's all she could imagine on the spot... concerts were so cool after all... and Juleka felt like Adrien could understand... however Marinette disagreed with their ideas.

 

"But that seems mean, his dad already bails out on him all the time and he has to bail out on others too. He might see through the 'forgot' lie." Marinette said. Juleka scrunched in. Oh. She supposed so.

 

"Maybe you got lost on the way over?" Rose tilted her head. 

 

"That's plausible!" Alya said. Rose lit up at that and she shared a smile with Juleka. The girls had begun shouting out their thoughts and excuses out, Alya writing the good ones on the board. But Marinette sighed, shifting.

 

"Actually... I don't think I want to cancel." She murmured. The group spun at her, eyes bugging out their face.

 

"Huh!?"

 

"But you said.." Alya began hesitantly. Marinette sighed, shaking her hand.

 

"I don't want to hurt Adrien's feelings. He was really nervous about this, this, this is like, his first actual date!" Marinette said, her voice growing stronger by the second. "I realized that I didn't know him as much as I thought I did. But when I began to want to learn more about Adrien the guy instead of Adrien my Crush..."

 

Marinette awkwardly shrugged.

 

"Well, I don't know, it felt like he became a bit more real and I actually got more invested in just making him happy instead of wanting him to like me?" Marinette murmured, wringing her hands together with shame. "He needs help with this. I'm more upset that, I just, don't know how to help him. He came to me for advice. But... I don't know anything."

 

The group looked at each other weakly, sharing glances, and Juleka's eyes came to rest in Rose's gaze. When Rose's dad was around, Juleka always thought it was ridiculous or at least fake when they said they knew how to "telepathically share thoughts cause they were married", but she came to realize the somewhat truth of it all..

 

Knowing what another was thinking just by the way their eye twitched or their lips came to stretch after so many years of just, coming to Notice the other.. how to ask questions without even speaking. How to answer with just a hum.

 

Rose looked up at Marinette.

 

"I think you're tripping up on your hesitance, Marinette." Rose said softly, before smiling, she looked like she was glowing. "Just because you don't have experience dating doesn't mean you can't be there for the emotional support and company Adrien needs! You'll do fine on your own! Don't worry!"

 

Marinette let out a soft breath.

 

"Rose.." She began.

 

"THATS IT!" They squeaked as Alya smacked the white board. The reporter swung around at them with a big grin. "MARINETTE TAKES ONE OF US TO COVER THE LOVE ADVICE PORTIONS WHILE SHE GOES FULL SUPPORT! SHE CAN ONLY TAKE ONE OF US! ANY MORE HE'D REALIZE YOU FELT AWKWARD!"

 

"ALYA YOU GENIUS!" Marinette exclaimed, standing up immediately.

 

Annnnnd the plan keeps going. Alright.

 

"Rose! You've clearly got the best grasp on Love and Romance in general! You'll be perfect to take with me!" Marinette pointed excitedly at her. Rose squeaked, and tried not to look like she was shrinking as much as she was.

 

"Oh... wow! Marinette! Thank you!" Rose smiled weakly. "But uh... I got- there's a problem."

 

"What's that?" Alya asked, adjusting her glasses.

 

"I can't ice skate." Rose said flatly. "If neither of us can ice skate, we're both kinda screwed aren't we?"

 

The group went silent.

 

Marinette paled, and weakly turned to the others. Alix hid underneath her hat. Alya scratched the back of her head shyly. Mylene coughed into her fist, not making eye contact. Marinette slowly peered down at...

 

Juleka was physically deteriorating. And yet... she held up a thumbs up.

 

"I learnt when I was little... with Luka..." She croaked weakly.

 

Juleka supposed she was going to ice skate now.

 

...

 

"Adrien!"

 

"Marinette, you're here!"

 

Marinette made sure to be on time. No being late. No tripping up. In fact, she was technichally one minute early! It was such a sunny day, she was up in spirits, in fact, it was rather warm. So she decided to wear a bit more of light wear. Shorts and a thin long sleeve over her favorite breezy shirt. 

 

But her spirits dwindled as she saw.. ah.. the ice queen herself. Now it's not like Marinette actually really... talked.. to Kagami.. but she'd been to Adrien's practices and heard other people talking about her. So..? Ehh?

 

Her brain drew to confusion when she saw both Adrien and Kagami looking a bit more bustled. Adrien was even wearing the scarf she got him for his birthday. But it was so nice and warm today.

 

"I love your jacket, Marinette! Did you make that yourself?" Adrien excitedly said.

 

"Huh? Oh yeah! I sure did!" 

 

"You're going to be cold." 

 

"H-Huh?" Marinette looked over hesitantly at Kagami. The girl's color pallete seemed to only be the colors of Shadow the Hedgehog, ie, red, black, and just the touches of white and gold. And even more so, her eyes pierced through Marinette's cheerful shield that covered over her nervousness.

 

"It's freezing in the ice rink. I assume you've never skated before." Kagami said sharply. Marinette squeaked. What's with this girl why was she so... so... rough!?

 

...

 

Meanwhile.

 

I hope she brought a jacket, she might get a cold. Kagami thought concernedly. 

 

...

 

"S-So um, you said in text you were bringing someone?" Adrien asked, "Where are they?"

 

"Right behind you."

 

"AGH"

 

They all, but, Kagami, jumped back with surprise while Kagami immediately turned and raised her fists, but they the trio calmed when..

 

"Juleka! Thanks for making it!" Marinette gasped. Though her spirit died a little more when she saw Juleka wearing a bit of a coat as well. Ohno. "I'm beginning to see that.. oh god.. I'm gonna be cold in there aren't I."

 

"A... little..." Juleka squinted at her. It looked almost pitying. God damn it.. Juleka looked politely at the other two, a shy smile coming across her lips. "I hope you don't mind I'm here, Adrien."

 

"Three's a crowd.." Kagami began but Adrien quickly pepped up.

 

"Glad to have you on board, aye aye, captain!" He exclaimed, pumping a fist in the air. Juleka chuckled. Marinette stared between them, confused before the memory hit them. Oh yeah... They would've bonded from the play... She silently figured.

 

"Yarr.." Juleka rolled her eyes, waving a hooked finger.

 

”I didn’t know you knew how to ice skate, Juleka! Do you ice skate with Rose? Have you ever had ice skating dates before?” Adrien excitedly bounced in place, Kagami’s eye raising at Juleka.

 

”Oh ahah-“ Juleka awkwardly said. “Just, learnt when I was younger. I actually like, ice skating, a little. At rinks. It’s more fun than at like, on frozen ice. Frozen ice makes you feel like you’re about to fall through. And Uh. I don’t like going into water… unexpectedly.”

 

”How do you go into water unexpectedly?” Kagami asked.

 

”Falling?” Juleka tilted her head. Kagami stared at her and nodded slowly.

 

”That would be pretty unexpected.” Kagami said.

 

”Yeah.”

 

They all stood there. Kagami's face looking like a steel wall of emotions. Kagami squinted at them.. what was she thinking..? Was she.. oh god, Marinette thought. She's totally judging us.

 

...

 

Meanwhile the Sequel.

 

Woah... oh wow oh wow.. oh my.. pretty lady.. Kagami mentally thought, staring up at the gothic looking young woman. Kagami knew she was on a date with Adrien but she could admire, admire, um, women. And she was talking to Her. Oh wow. Oh my. What should I say now. Is this the fighter Adrien told me about from the play? With the interesting fight style? Oh my. Oh but she's not single. A shame. And also She's not my target. But. Oh wow. Oh my. What shall I say now? I hope to make her an acquaintance.. p-perhaps.. a friend..?

 

...

 

Kagami stared at them hard, before grunting to herself.

 

”Alright, let’s go in.” Kagami flatly muttered, knocking a thumb towards the ice rink door. Marinette internally screamed. Why did this ice queen sound scary in everything she said and did!?

 

”Y-Yeah, sure, o-okay!” Marinette squeaked. 

 

Inside the Ice rink, it was... eerily empty. No one in the lobby. And from the doors, Marinette could only hear one person's skates scraping upon the ice. Adrien was whispering something to Kagami, the girl taking quick glances at both Marinette and Juleka.

 

They were already right, even in the lobby, it was professionally chilled, and it'd only get colder. Marinette's skin uncomfortably itched at that. What was with her..

 

They decided to rent their skates. And it went well! Until Juleka's turn..

 

"Sorry kid, we don't got any of the beginner skates in your size today. For some reason, can't find em." The guy itched his chin, "But I found some figure skates your size instead. Hope that's alright."

 

"Oh. Oh. Uh- Ok." Juleka said stiffly. She turned away from the shoe guy and quickly swerved with Marinette with a panicked whisper. "W-What's that mean? I didn't realize there was a difference"

 

"Yeah me either what-" Marinette began before the two squeaked when from behind them-

 

"It means they have a toe pick. So you're going to fall, as one can expect from a clear beginner skater like you." Kagami said, her voice prickling through her like an icicle as the inflection of her clear and almost authoritative voice zipped down Marinette's spine. Like being a 'beginner skater' had become a command Juleka now had to follow somehow.

 

They watched Kagami sling a pair of figure skates over her shoulder and walk off. Oh. Oh those were for people who knew what they were doing. Oh. Oh no. Juleka squirmed in place, and they all hobbled their ways into the ice rink. Kagami may have scared Juleka, uh oh..

 

The mayor was here for some reason, seeming to be talking to the only guy in the rink. His intense stare on them made them all deeply uncomfortable so they hurried to get their skates on and just stay close. Aren't ice rinks supposed to be at least a little crowded? I guess it's not really the season...

 

They sat down on the chairs and- man- she was already feeling wobbly already. This wasn't good. Maybe she should've gotten lost. Oh wow- did it feel chilly to anyone else here? Hahah.. ahahah... wow.. it's.. really cold. It was almost numbing, and she felt, actually, already a little drained.. they hadn't even begun skating yet..

 

"Psst, hey, hey Marinette" Marinette blinked out of her daze and squeaked to see Adrien leaning over to her. He smiled softly at her. "It was really cool of you to bring Juleka, Marinette. Thank you."

 

"O-Oh! Of course. That's what friends are for!" Marinette smiled. Adrien nodded and scooted over. He glanced over and she shared his gaze as he stared off at Kagami who was tying her laces with quick practiced precision. By god. She made taking her shoes off and on look like some military take down or something.

 

"I don't know what to do about Kagami.. Should I offer to hold her hand? Or.." Adrien was looking at Marinette for advice now.

 

"Uh oh um.." Marinette glanced off and could see Juleka awkwardly struggling with her own shoes. Best not interrupt that. She glanced back at Adrien and confidently said. "You have to let her fall."

 

"What?" He blinked. OH GOD DID I JUST SAY LET HER FALL? MARINETTE COME ON! She mentally screamed at herself. What was with her brain today!? She felt so suddenly out of it when they entered the rink. Marinette wildly shook her head.

 

"No! No! I mean-  No, what I actually meant was that you can't let her fall in any way. I mean, do whatever you can so that she doesn't fall!" Marinette sputtered out quickly. She had no idea what she was saying now, or what she was tying. She jumped to her feet. "Yeah! Yeah that's- that's it yeah- just, grab ahold of her hand and take her onto the ice and then..!"

 

She took a step and she felt a horrible tug. She looked down and could see her shoelaces tied together.

 

Oh so I die here ok.

 

"AAAAAAgH-"

 

"Gotcha.!"

 

Marinette felt her legs give as she was caught in two powerful arms. She weakly looked up and could see Juleka looking worriedly down at her. Marinette let out a squeak and Juleka gingerly fixed a strand of hair out of Marinette's face.

 

"Try to be natural," Juleka softly whispered to Adrien, helping Marinette back onto the chair so carefully. "You may feel like you want to just impress her cause you think she's so cool.. but I think she just wants to spend time with you, just as much as you want to spend time with her. If you pretend to be perfect, it won't matter on future dates or advancements in your relationship, where you might need to be truly vulnerable."

 

Juleka hummed, and began retying her shoe laces a bit more properly. Marinette's eyes were wide as Juleka stood up gracefully and offered up a hand to grab. She shakily took it and when she stood up, she felt a bit more steadier.

 

"It's all about balance you've got this." Juleka smiled, and Marinette wasn't sure if she was talking to her or Adrien. "Come, let's hit the ice."

 

Oh that was for her, "O-Okay!"

 

Marinette looked behind her and could see Adrien shyly approaching Kagami who smiled at him. Marinette turned away and focused on the scraping ice below her. Oh god. It felt like she was about to slip any second.

 

And even more so, it felt so cold, and it was numbing. Prickling up her thighs and up her neck. Marinette mentally kicked herself as she clung to Juleka's more steady form for being such a fool and wearing clothing based on the Outside Weather before even considering how cold an Ice rink would have to be.

 

She nearly fell in distraction, not realizing how much she was just letting her body drift before her leg slipped beneath her and Juleka quickly grabbed her and kept her from dropping on her face.

 

Juleka was like her safety net, letting her skate, letting her slip, but not letting her fall. Juleka brushed a hair out of her face worryingly. 

 

"You okay?" Juleka asked, skating backwards now to face Marinette. Marinette let out an awkward laugh.

 

"Uh, y-yeah! Just- cold!" Marinette squeaked. Juleka hummed, pulling them to a wall. Seeming to rest. Marinette wobblily grabbed onto it. She felt like some newborn deer. It was absolutely humiliating. But even worse, leaning on it, she felt another wave of sleepiness hit her. 

 

She was shivering. This didn't just feel chilly. She flet like when she was Ladybug stuck in the freez...er... oh.. so this is what this was.. Oh how she despised this. She felt so tired she could hardly stand up. She felt like her body was shutting down on it's own. Marinette didn't like this. She felt weak. She couldn't be weak. She couldn't-

 

Her eyes blew wide open when Juleka began unbuttoning her coat in front of her. Revealing herself in what looked to be a black t-shirt with a little shirt pocket.

 

"HwuwhaAHh- Aren't y-you gonna be cold!?" Marinette sputtered but Juleka was already handing it over to her and wrapping it over her shoulders. Marinette sniffled, it was so warm, and comforting. She nearly fell asleep right there but she had a jump of awareness slowly crawling back in her system to better studying Juleka's face, which was once slowly blurring.

 

"They're, now you're a toasty bug, Buginette." Juleka chuckled heartily. Juleka was buttoning her down now, and the coat felt huge, but Marinette felt suddenly so.. okay. She let out a little squeak and Juleka just smiled at her. "I wasn't just gonna leave you to freeze, it's my job to keep you safe and warm."

 

Marinette just stared at her. Juleka's imaginary tail swished behind her and she coughed.

 

"Come on, let's go skating again," Juleka invited, holding out a hand to which Marinette let her take. She was dragging the two off the wall. Talking softly. "I can teach you how to balance better, it's sorta like a penguin- where you sorta sway and-"

 

ROSE IS SO LUCKY SHE BAGGED SUCH A SWEET HEART AAAAA- Marinette mentally screamed before actually nearly screaming when the strange other ice skater jumped up in front of them.

 

"HELLO YOUNG MISS!"

 

"For the loVE of sHITE.!" Juleka hissed, nearly tripping forward. Her hair literally bristling as the ice skater began jumping and spinning around them in wild, erratic, over the top circles. His smile a bit too big and eyes a bit to manic.

 

"Say say! Young lady! Have you ever thought about signing up for ice skating lessons?" He was waving around some papers. "The judges wouldn't be able to resist that sparkling smile of yours.! Come on say yes it would absolutely be the most manifique decision in your life!"

 

"Uh, no, no, that's uh.. Kind of you.. sir.." Juleka said stiffly, looking deeply uncomfortable in seconds. Her grip on Marinette's hand suddenly gripped tighter and Marinette looked up to see how her face scrunched up together and her eyes came to rest on the ground. "Just uh, I have... other... things."

 

"Oh but think about it! Think about it! Teenagers like you these days; you all have nothing to do! But under my tutelage...-!"

 

"She said she's fine." Marinette quickly snapped, before flashing a quick awkward grin when the ice skating guy suddenly processed she existed. He did a quick, wild, spin and suddenly focused in on her.

 

"I can see your struggle and hardship on the ice, dear! But I can help you!" He cried out before spinning between them, making Marinette nearly slip as his intense voice made her cringe at the sharpness in her ears. "I'll give you a week's worth of lessons for free. Just a few hours a day and you'll be a star! You'll love it!"

 

"Uhhhhhhh..." Marinette squinted. Oh god. Being on the ice? Even more than she was now? Even with the coat on, her legs wobbled to even stand upright. She felt so sleepy in the cold. Even more so, Ladybug had her so busy. She awkwardly gestured her arm for Juleka to grab and she took it, pulling Marinette away. "Thanks, but I'm already very busy as it is byeeeee-"

 

They left the weird fellow behind, Marinette letting Juleka just drag her away, drifting over the ice like some package.

 

Marinette was so sleepy.

 

...

 

Adrien was very nervous. Was he being himself enough? Was Kagami even liking it here? Was he doing a good job? Was this a good date so far? He was terrified was he DOING A GOOD JOB!??? Could she feel his sweaty palms through his gloves- oh god- did she think it was GROSS?

 

"Did you invite them because you were scared of being alone with me?" Kagami suddenly asked.

 

Adrien nearly choked on his wheezing breath, panicking.

 

"O-Of course not.!" He sputtered wildly, waving one of his hands. "I-It's just that I asked Marinette to help me- cause- I- um, I didn't want to.."

 

His voice softened weakly. 

 

"I didn't... want to mess up for you.." Adrien confessed. Kagami stared at him and he quickly shifted backwards, flashing a big awkward grin. "Uhhh.. mess up.. my... FIGURE SKATING- skills- of course.! Ahah!"

 

Kagami softly chuckled, smirking just a bit.

 

"Now you don't need her for that, Adrien." Kagami drawled playfully. Adrien let himself drift with wide eyes as she let his hand go and she skated forward. She picked up speed and suddenly shot off the ice in an intricate spin.

 

Adrien struggled to a stop watching her as she carved her lines across the icy surface, swirling what felt like art to his eyes as she flipped and spun around. And yet her eyes, they were always on him. 

 

Kagami could be pompous when she wanted to be. And he was beyond ever charmed as he sat back to watch her surpass him in the most beautiful dance of blades. As she always love to do. And Adrien believed, that he loved to watch her do it.

 

And then the ice skating dude ran in and ruined it. Aw come on-

 

"Oh mMMIISSSS~"

 

The ice skating coach spun right up next to Kagami who slowed her theatrics to process what he was saying. Adrien hissed under his breath, but he wasn't sure if he could squeeze between them at all. 

 

"What?" Kagami said, glaring at him.

 

"What what? Why- Can you not see it! You have what it takes to be a champion with such fantastic skill! My goodness, young lady!" He cried out. "The style. The talent! Oh please- I can help you perfect such a talent! Let me be your private coach..! And just sign here-!"

 

Kagami looked at him and glanced back at Adrien. She smiled and turned back to the man.

 

"I only practice noble arts like archery or fencing." Adrien nearly snorted at the overly prim voice she used. Her chin tilted up as she skated past him with a quick kick. "Ice skating's just for fun to me."

 

She returned back to Adrien with a prideful smile. And he giggled.

 

"Do you actually do archery?" Adrien asked curiously. He wasn't sure if that was a bluff or not, and now he was deeply curious. Kagami let out a light 'hm!' before giving a bit and replying.

 

"Yes, actually... when I was a little girl..." Kagami responded. Her face dusted a light embarrassed pink, as her eyebrows grew knotted and she thought over the memory. "My father- no- I had actually begged him to take classes actually after.."

 

"You're like Sailor Mars!" Adrien gasped with awe, before growing quiet. "Oh, sorry, I shouldn't assume you watch Sailor Moon just because... because..."

 

As his eyes widened as they went back to look at him. He watched Kagami sigh, her face turning pinker, and he watched as she covered part of her face with her hands. He stared at her and gasped.

 

"Was it cause of Sailor Moon?" He asked, his eyes widened. "Did you take up archery cause you liked Sailor Mars as a kid!?"

 

"Adrien..! I- perhaps. Ah.. kuso." It was the first time he'd really seen her get... flustered. Maybe during Riposte, she'd gotten embarrassed, or more so, frustrated by her initial defeat from him. But this was the first time, he'd knocked her off her feet on equal ground. 

 

"You did!" He giggled before softly going onto add to her words, rubbing his thumb over her hands. "Don't worry, it'll be our secret. I really liked that show too.."

 

Kagami stared and she giggled. Juleka was right, Adrien thought. It was nice not being perfect. It was nice to be just with Kagami.

 

...

 

"You think the guy is gonna leave us alone soon..?" Juleka said uncomfortably by Marinette's side as they watched the random dude spinning around the other two. Marinette groaned. She was too tired to really say much. She was still pretty much out of it. Even with Juleka's charmingly warm coat on.

 

"I hope he leaves soon.."

 

"No way! Is that Adrien Agreste!?"

 

"Oh no he's got, Adrien." Marinette groaned.  Juleka's hair bristled, her eyes narrowed. Duel-Third wheeling a date was always built to be awkward. But the ice skating weirdo with the eyebags made it just a hundred percent worse and everyone could feel it.

 

Adrien was doing his best to skate faster but the man just shot right up to him.

 

"Adrien Agreste, I can see it now! Grace and style model, and professional ice skating champion!" He exclaimed, his voice peaking like a bird's call. "If you take lessons with me, I'll have you shining like the candles on a birthday cake! Come on! Why people will be singing your name more than they already do!"

 

"Oh... wow..." Adrien grimaced the worst, most uncomfortable smile they'd ever seen him. "Maaaaybe..... ahah.."

 

Marinette was about to ask Juleka to sling shot her over there but Kagami quickly ice skated between the scouting coach and Adrien, her eyes looking aflame with 100% done annoyance and action.

 

"He already does fencing with me." Kagami snapped, "Piss off."

 

They were watching so much Marinette didn't realize she'd let go of Juleka's hand and begin to just drift-

 

"AGH-"

 

"Marinette! Fuc-"

 

Juleka launched to catch her and managed to push her upwards from behind but suddenly Juleka lurched and Marinette could hear this pck sound against the ice and as Marinette fell backwards, hard, on her ass, she watched Juleka's body fly forward and drop hard against the ice.

 

Marinette winced painfully as an icy pain shot up her tail bone but quickly looked up to see Juleka's collapsed form in front of her.

 

"Juleka are you okay!?" She cried. Juleka groaned, lifting herself up a little dizzily.

 

"Ohhh so that's what she meant by toe pick... ow..." Juleka slowly pushed herself off her stomach. Marinette looked away and could see Kagami and Adrien skating over, concern on their faces with the ice guy in tow.

 

"Are you two okay?" Adrien asked worriedly. Marinette groaned.

 

"Yeah, just took a hard fall that's all..."

 

"Tsss.. shite.." Juleka's voiced came out his a disgruntled hiss. The group turned and could see the marks of red against the ice and her leggings ripped slightly at the knees, the surrounding fabric darkening wet with blood. Her elbows were red too."Ah think I might've skinned myself.. a little.. bit.."

 

"Oh no Juleka!" Adrien gasped. Marinette suddenly felt deeply guilty seeing this. This.. this.. Juleka got hurt again in her eyes. It was her job. It was her job to not let her loved ones get hurt. Ladybug. Ladybug's job.  It was her job. Ladybug had to do something. Ladybug-

 

"Here Juleka, let me help you up." Adrien opened up a hand towards her. Juleka winced, reaching outwards him.

 

"Thanks Adri-"

 

"SEE HOW MY LESSONS COULD COME IN HANDY?"

 

The group jolted, Juleka falling backwards a bit as the ice skating man suddenly rushed in front of them, scraping across the ground. Marinette squeaked as a spray of ice hit her in the face and she stuck out her tongue with displeasure. He waved around papers in his hands, looming over Adrien with an overly wide smile.

 

"Please, Adrien Agreste. Just put your name on this form and your fans will come running. And even more so my ice rink will be saved!" Kagami looked like she was going to kill him. However, in it's most ironic form, the guillotine came from the mayor himself. Plucking the papers out of the man's hands from outside the rink's walls and glaring hardly at him.

 

"For god's sake, none of these young people want to sign up, Philippe." He scolded. It was the first time Mr Bourgeois actually looked intimidating. Marinette only really saw him as Chloe's bumbling dad for a while, it kinda distracted her from the fact he was an actual politician and their Mayor. "You can't force them now, can you? Or will you stoop lower for an ice rink that's not actually yours?"

 

They all watched the color drain from the man's face, before his shoulders slowly fell.

 

"You're right..." Philippe bemoaned dejectedly, slowly skating away from them with his imaginary tail between his legs. The mayor followed him. Marinette watched as Kagami pushed herself forward and grabbed Juleka's limp hand and yanked her to her feet.

 

"Get up." She demanded. Juleka's legs wobbled beneath her before steadying. Kagami stared up at her, her arm firm and keeping Juleka on her feet. Juleka awkwardly gulped, staring down at her. Kagami met her gaze and, awkwardly, patted Juleka on the side of her arm and let her go. "You're good?"

 

"Y-Yea?" Juleka sputtered.

 

"Good." Kagami said stiffly. She looked awkward somehow. Was it from making eye contact for so long? Why? "You should get your knees checked up on."

 

"Yeah.. I'll ask the shoe guy for first aid.." Juleka scratched the back of her neck. Ladybug still felt deeply guilty though.. Juleka smiled at them. "Don't wait on me, you guys can continue skating."

 

And so Juleka, though shakily, skated off the rink. Marinette's face fell at that as she stood up.

 

"Marinette?" Adrien asked worriedly.

 

"Huh? Oh um, I'm gonna, go, to the bathroom. I think I hurt myself too." Marinette said before blinking. She spun to look at them and flashed a big grin, shooting awkward finger guns at them. "UM, YEAH, YOU TWO, DON'T DO ANYTHING WHILE WE'RE GONE- AHAHAHAahAH-"

 

She began to scoot away quickly and full of embarrassment.

 

It was then however, did Marinette feel  harsher chill go up her spine and she slowly looked up. Philippe, the ice skating guy. He was sitting on the stands with a despaired look to his form. Face in his hands. She nearly felt bad for the poor guy.

 

And then she saw a butterfly light up across his face.

 

No.

 

"RUN!" Marinette screamed but instead her shoelaces somehow came tied again. She shot forward to escape and she went flying off her shoes. The ice she hit this time felt even colder, the temperature of the room dropped and she could hear a window shatter.

 

Marinette groaned with pain and she weakly looked up to see glittering, icy, Elsa's castle blue.. Marinete groaned and her breath let out a cloudy puff in the air, but when she tried to stand, she realized, she couldn't move.

 

Was she frozen?

 

No. She could vaguely see her freed body. Across from her were her ice skates she was once wearing frozen to the ground. How lucky, she managed to pop off them before the ice hit her. How.. unlucky.. that she still laid, freezing in the middle of the rink.

 

Like all of the warmth was sucked out from her lungs and deep out of her own shivering skin that was growing suddenly more and more numb by the second. Actually, it was getting hot too. So hot in fact.. she decided to take off that pesky coat.. there we go..

 

Her fingertips felt like nothing but her body was doing so many.. weird.. things.

 

Marinette grimaced, forcing her eyes open as her body refused to do what she wanted. I need.. the ice.. power up.. She looked around, and saw every person that was in the rink before frozen into statues.

 

"T-Ti.." She had barely any energy to even speak. She felt like she was about to drop any second now. Sleep. Forever.

 

"'ss'ss-so.. cold.." Tikki whimpered deep in the coat. Marinette went to grab for her power up macarons but.. she felt stomach drop with fear, at her inability to even close her fist around the tiny box.

 

All Marinette could feel was... just so... sleepy.. So... fucking... weak..

 

"Ti-tikki, please, just, maybe.. please," Ladybug fought to speak. Her voice came out in a desperate plea as her ice bitten hands reached out towards the trembling kwami. If she could just... "Trans... form.. me.."

 

The suddenly, her cold world went black. And Ladybug fell into a warm, quiet, slumber.

 

...

 

"Sorry lady, we only got kid band aids."

 

"'s fine." Juleka said, taking them from the man's hands and traded them for her skates. "Thank you."

 

"Suure thing." He drawled boredly, slumping back in his chair. Juleka's eyebrow twitched and she decided to go to the bathroom to put these funny Band-Aids on. Maybe a mirror would help? She didn't know.

 

Hah- they're unicorns. Rose would love these. She thought with a little smile.

 

She entered the bathroom and closed the door behind her. Plagg flew out of her shirt pocket. 

 

"I had to jump into your pocket to hide from Marinette!" Plagg complained. "There's barely any space there! I had to phase through part of your ribs."

 

"Wow. I. Really didn't need to know that." Juleka deadpanned, "But that's dope as hell."

 

"I can show you right now." Plagg grinned mischievously.

 

"Rather not see that." Juleka snorted softly. She fumbled to grab her phone "I should text Rose and tell her I fell, I think she'd like these band aids, look how cute they are- oh- my phone was in my coat. I'll grab it when I get back to the rink... though she might still need my coat.."

 

"Yeah! Brr! Is it chilly in here or what!" Plagg complained.

 

"Yeah it's... it's really.. cold." Juleka slowly began.

 

There was a moment.

 

And then she saw it. Shooting towards her wildly was a layer of ice that crawled from beneath the door and was now climbing over the walls and floor. Juleka jumped backwards with shock, but then, she could see it crawling up her shoes.

 

"PLAGG CLAWS OUT!" Juleka exclaimed in a rush. The transformation burst the frost off her shoes but the sudden wave of freezing temperatures hit her like a truck and she began to shiver. Her leather jacket was barely anything to keep her warm but she forced herself to persevere.

 

Panthera shivered. She was pretty sure she had a powerup specifically for this but...

 

Panthera face palmed. Right. Her coat. Oh god. Her coat.

 

"Marinette." Juleka hissed. She kicked the frozen door down with ease and begin slipping down the frozen lobby. The shoe guy was a frozen statue, and her fear spiked even more, fearing the worst as she ran into the...

 

Ladybug was laying in the middle of the rink. Surrounded by ice statues.

 

Juleka's stomach dropped and she immediately shot towards her.

 

"LADYBUG!" She shouted, jumping into the rink and slipping over to her. Ladybug let out a muffled groan and Panthera drew her quickly into her arms. "Ladybug!"

 

"Mmngh.." Ladybug groaned, her eyes barely open. "Mm..sleepy.. don't wake me up.."

 

She didn't care about how cold she was. Panthera ripped her leather jacket off immediately and threw it over her. She could see her coat beside Ladybug and almost threw it over her too, before her eyes widened as she saw her small power up holder fall out of her pocket. 

 

Her eyes drew to the side and could see another on the ground. She opened it and found.. hah.. of course she made them macarons... she was always so creative..

 

"Bug, can you please try and eat this?" Juleka shakily asked, holding up the icy blue macaron to Ladybug's lips. Ladybug groaned and turned her lips away. "Ladybug."

 

"Nooaowwhh.." Ladybug groaned. Juleka tsked, squinting hard at her. She reached for her own things of cheese and decided that the least she could do for Ladybug is give her a warmer jacket to wear.

 

Temporarily, she pulled her weak leather jacket off of Ladybug and put it back on. Panthera popped the power up in her mouth and gave a low blecgh in reaction. 

 

"P- Power up?" She had no idea what she was exactly doing but, OH SHIT IT'S WORKING.

 

Juleka didn't quite know how to describe transforming on it's own. It was like being given New Lungs. And so power ups felt like breathing new air. Thrumming deep inside her as it turned itself over her like a new layer of being.

 

The air in her lungs felt icy and sweet, and she felt the cold once sending goosebumps over her skin dissipate and her body grew warmer. Juleka's eyes opened as the blue light faded from her and she looked over herself for a brief second.

 

The purple of her hair had turned into an frosty white. Fluffy tufts of faux fur on the tips of her ears, wrapped around her wrist, took the form of leg warmers, and a puffy hood. And beneath her shoes, she could see a white metal line and with a quick experimental kick she saw it jut out into the form of an ice skate's blade.

 

She kicked it back in so she could better walk and even then, did she feel more on tact with the icy ground. But there was no more focus on that because immediately her jacket came off and she wrapped it around Ladybug quickly. 

 

"You keep this on, okay bug?" Juleka softly asked. Ladybug let out a drowsy sound and she tried to get up but her legs weakly collapsed beneath her. Panthera quickly bagged the box of power ups for Ladybug and pulled her in to pick her up, Ladybug's arms weakly wrapping around her.

 

"Mm,sorry.." Ladybug weakly mumbled into her shoulder, tugging the jacket closer to herself.

 

"No worries, partner. Your 'Chat Frost' has got you all safe." Juleka reassured her. It was then that it occurred to Juleka in a strange moment of full self awareness of who the two of them had become.

 

Juleka had complied to every one of Marinette's thoughts and commands whilst on the job. Every plan. Every decision. Ladybug was the brain and suited herself to it. Juleka had always let her, because why would she not?

 

It was what Marinette wanted. And Juleka loved Marinette. So she'd do it. And even more so, she'd do it in the exact way Ladybug wanted, and even more so, in the most efficient direction.

 

But Juleka never really got to solve the akumas her way. Not in a while at least.

 

Juleka didn't like violence. And She didn't like Fighting akumas. She liked stopping them. She found it more efficient to stop the problem of why they were upset at the root cause. It was easy to give a kid a win at a thing that they lost at cause it made them upset, but the Why it was so personal- 

 

She found it efficient to find and dig that out because it let her heal the wound. Stop it from happening again. It wasn't just kindness, it was a god damn fighting tactic. It was Her fighting tactic. it was how she got through life.

 

But now with herself alone, she wondered what she'd do now that she could do stuff. Juleka figured she could always just shove that icy power up sucker in Ladybug's mouth, but she was still weak, and Juleka wasn't shoving her into battle at her weakest moment. No.

 

She would handle this, her way.

 

Panthera's eyes thinned.

 

Efficiently.

 

...

 

Every step outside was another step into the monster's fucking lair.

 

Even though they were, uh, outside.

 

It was scary. Quite literally, every inch of Paris had become a kingdom of winter. Every inch, covered, in a layer of frost and ice. It was blinding to look at. But she forced herself to breathe steadily.

 

Just. Stop. The akuma.

 

"Once you're all toasty, I'd love it if you could eat the ice macaron, alright partner?" Juleka looked down at Ladybug who hugged onto her like a Koala. Ladybug could barely nod. It was stomach twisting. I'll keep you safe, Marinette.

 

"Mmkay.." Ladybug mumbled.

 

"Fantastic." Juleka whispered. It was hard to really hide anywhere. Everywhere was this bright shine of icy blue and both the gothic cat and the bright red ladybug were sticking out like sore thumbs.

 

She slid carefully down to the ground with Ladybug close to her body, still shivering. Juleka's tail lashed behind her. She knew what she was looking for she just had to find it...

 

And there it was. She smiled, bending down to glaze a hand over the scratched ground. Ice skate tracks.. Juleka knew a path now... And so She walked through the chilled Paris with a careful, quiet, yet quickened step.

 

Puffs of cold breath continued to shudder from Ladybug's lips so she decided to walk a little faster. The feeling of the cold hardly affected her now, but she could still feel that biting air just beyond the membrane of what her magic had transformed into to better accommodate her survival.

 

Ladybug didn't have that, in fact, it was probably multiplied now, and Panthera had seen this happen before.

 

"Eat the macaron, Bug." Juleka reminded softly.

 

"I will, I will," Ladybug mumbled. But she wouldn't and Juleka didn't have the focus nor time to force it in her mouth right now. And perhaps she was afraid it wouldn't work in some irrationality. 

 

They took a slight path near the Seine and her eyes widened at the length the ice had gone. She leaned over it for a moment, and could see the bubbles and the rushing water beneath the thick layer of ice. 

 

God.

 

Panthera's ears flattened as she made it towards the Eiffel Tower. It was completely consumed in ice, and she could see a figure, skating around on it like he was fucking ice skating Tony Hawk. 

 

"My god. He looks like the fucker from Rainbow Magic." Juleka hissed under her breath. Yes, she read those books, Rose, Rose had them, it, they were entertaining. She liked them. they sparked joy.

 

'Frozer', as he called himself loudly with glee as he danced upon the railing of the Eiffel Tower, was quite the spectacle. That being, he sounded like he fully had a cold, and was absolutely horrific looking.

 

"Alright, I'm gonna take my staff now, okay?" Juleka softly asked, pulling it from her hip, though her hand nudged at Ladybug.

 

"But waai'tt.t.." Ladybug groaned.

 

"It's for a trap." Juleka insisted, extending it to part of the building beside them and towards the other side of the street. She set it about a foot off the ground. Ladybug nuzzled closer to her, shivering. Was it getting colder?

 

She'd hurry quick.

 

"He'll see it.." Ladybug shivered.

 

"Shh, I got this." Panthera kicked her skates on and began skating towards the Eiffel Tower.  It was a bit wobbly to do while holding ladybug, but her eyes were laser focused. She would do this and it would go well. Ladybug squinted.

 

"I'll try and eat the macaron then..." Ladybug shakily said. 

 

"You do that, bug." Juleka pet a hand through her hair before skating to a stop in front of Frozer's view.

 

She cleared her throat. 

 

"HEY! HEY YOU! JACK FROST FROM RAINBOW MAGIC! YEAH I'M TALKING TO YOU! FUCKIN-UH-" Oh jeez, what would make this guy mad at her? She thought for a millisecond and shouted again. "-YOU BRONZE MEDAL BITCH!"

 

Oh that worked okay she's running now. Frozer slammed down on the ice and screamed with rage and Panthera quickly turned tail. She skated fast and hard across the ice and the frost, scraping clouds of ice fractures.

 

"HAauagh- HHAHAHAUAGUuugh" Frozer grunted out in exertion. Oh god. Why does he sound like that? Juleka wondered before taking a hard turn towards the street she was hiding in.

 

She could see the line, and she prayed she wouldn't actually trip over it-

 

"Partner!" Panthera threw Ladybug forward and jumped upwards. She kicked off the ice in a spin and threw her arms forward. She gasped as a sudden flash of light nearly blinded her and hit the ground with her eyes closed before a thudded form slammed into her.

 

She barely stayed on her feet but when her eyes opened she smiled.

 

"I had to baby sit you, Partner." Juleka slyly snarked. "And you decide to dress all pretty for me. Where you just planning your little fashion designs?"

 

She put her down and Ladybug did a giggly spin, showing off her glittery little ice crown.

 

"Oh come on I was barely conscious!" Ladybug said with a huff.

 

"YOU TWO BETTER NOT BE ALREADY CELEBRATING WHEN I-!" The two turned, seeing Frozer doing an impressive wild leap, twenty feet above her staff tripper. "-AM BUT A CHAMPION ABOVE YOU ALL AHAHAHAHAHHA!"

 

"Panthera!" Ladybug looked to her worriedly. Juleka cracked her knuckles. 

 

"Get a head start and summon your lucky charm!" She ordered. "This is part of my plan!"

 

"But I'm the plan-" Ladybug began with a screwed look.

 

"PARTNER!"

 

"RIGHT! I'M GOING!"

 

Panthera clicked her ice skates back in, standing strong as Frozer came flying at her. Panthera simply watched him fall right at her, with a dramatic high axe kick above his head. And she reeled her arm back.

 

And punched him in the guts.

 

What?

 

She wasn't a convoluted person. Sometimes a plan is as simple as getting a good shot in.

 

"aAAAAAAWAAAWAAAuuAAAHhn"

 

Oh god, oh god, she felt violated hearing that. Frozer went flying into the ground and his head slammed hard into her staff. Making him severely dizzy. Juleka chuffed, doing her best smug smirk.

 

"Would a champion be that predictable? Zero out of ten on the score boards!" Panthera bellowed, quickly skating away after Ladybug. Frozer let out a roar of anger though is take off was much worse than before. 

 

Juleka quickly caught up to Ladybug and began keeping time with her. 

 

"I think all we need to win is just a push of luck now!" Juleka exclaimed, "Don't you agree, red?"

 

"Was thinking the same thing!" Ladybug said with a smile. "Lucky Charm!" 

 

"RAGH!"

 

Just as she summoned it, a large spike of ice shot through the lucky charm and the two panicked, grabbing it out of the air. Juleka's head spun around and she could see it came from Frozer's feet. They began frantically dodging the icicles. Skimming over their bodies.

 

"It's gotta be his ice skates! It's like, the most obvious spot!" Panthera shouted, turning back to Ladybug. "What did you get!?"

 

"I don't..." Ladybug looked down as she suddenly slipped. The bag was spilling something. It was making the ground suddenly wet, and exposing the concrete below.. It was... "Salt! Does salt melt ice?!"

 

"YEah apparently!" Juleka gasped, just as surprised as her. She snapped a hand. "The seine."

 

"It'd be an unexpected way to fall.." Ladybug nodded, "Let's go! Before we lose all of our salt to salt with!"

 

They took a hard turn towards the frozen river. Ice scraping beneath their skates before they leapt wildly off the edge. In one giant swing, Ladybug dumped the entire bag onto the top of the ice. 

 

They watched as it melted like butter to a burning knife. Frozer came shooting off the edge after them and they stepped back. Watching him scream as he went flying right into the giant open body of water and too flustered to make any moves- he dunked right in.

 

The two stood there, watching as a large ice cube version of Frozer floated out of the water. 

 

Panthera and Ladybug stood there, staring at him. He stared back, eyes blinking in the ice sculpture. Juleka pursed her lips with a now growing dread.

 

"Well, he's trapped?" Ladybug tried.

 

"We're gonna be here for a bit chipping out his skates aren't we." Panthera deadpanned.

 

"We'll have hot cocoa on patrol."

 

...

 

"This is Philippe at the Ice Rink. He makes Ice Skating So Much Fun." Adrien added a direction and a snowflake emoji and pressed 'Post'. He turned and gave Philippe a big, model smile. "I hope this helps you, sir!"

 

"Oh thank you Adrien!" The man cheered joyfully. "I just hope you two had a nice time at the rink!"

 

That was a lie, he obviously had his priorities somewhere else, but Adrien still smiled gratefully towards him and he and Kagami waltzed towards her car. The akuma had interrupted him and Kagami's time.

 

And it made Adrien upset that happened. He supposed he only liked akumas when they interrupted something he didn't want to be at. Which was supposed to be the more 'normal person' response. Kagami gave him a light look when she caught him staring at her.

 

"You still ended up doing what he wanted you to do despite how uncomfortable it made you." Kagami noted with slight judgement. Adrien could taste her worry though, and gave her a smile.

 

"No," He said, with a shrug. "I just want him to be happy, if that makes sense."

 

"I see."

 

Tatsu's door was open for Kagami to climb in, but she seemed to linger for Adrien to say more. And he wanted to say more. So he did.

 

"Did you... enjoy today?" He asked shyly, "Despite um, Philippe sorta, interrupting most of it?"

 

Kagami stared at him before softly smiling.

 

"I did." She said, "And I think I like your friends too. They're, kind to you. Kind enough to let you give up on your target."

 

Father. No, now Adrien couldn't give up on his father. Not truly. I mean.. he's my dad that... Adrien shook his head at that, sharing a soft little smile.

 

"I can't- I won't be changing my target." He informed her politely, determinedly. "Even if it means failing over and over again, because one day, I will succeed and hit it. You'll see."

 

Kagami let out a light 'hm', before sharing his smile.

 

"The day you realize you've got the wrong target, I'll be here. And I think... your friends will be there too." Kagami said softly. Adrien's eyes widened as she pressed a soft kiss to his cheek. It blossomed a warmth that darkened his face with a flushed red and Kagami chuckled. "Let's do this again?"

 

"A-A date?" Adrien sputtered. Kagami rose her eyebrow expectantly like she was saying 'obviously' and he straightened himself up with an awkward grin.

 

"As you wish." He said, giving a little bow. Kagami chuckled endearingly. Adrien peaked an eye open and giggled. "By the way... you were totally checking out Juleka earlier weren't you. I'm not mad, I'm just saying, she's got a girlfriend."

 

"Wh-What?" Kagami's eyes widened. Target hit! Her face flushed hot with embarrassment and she looked away with a glare. "I was not. I- I like you after all."

 

Adrien blushed at that but still decided to push some mischievous buttons.

 

"Sure but you still were~ And it's valid~" Adrien poked her cheek. "No shame in liking woman, Kagami. In fact I like-"

 

A loud beeping sound interrupted them and the two rich kids looked off in the direction it was coming from. Kagami peaked over her shoulder which began to rise as Luka pulled up on a motorcycle. With a spiky leather jacket. 

 

Adrien's grin stretched as Juleka collected her coat from Marinette and lit up seeing him, trotting over.

 

"Hey Luka, thanks for pickin' me up. Is mom out?" Juleka asked, climbing aboard. Kagami's eyes slowly widened. Adrien couldn't contain his snort now, making Kagami's head spin back at him.

 

"You look- snrrk- you look constipated-" Adrien snickered.

 

"Is that her brother?" Kagami hissed through her teeth, grabbing him by the jacket and shaking him violently. Adrien nodded like a bobblehead.

 

"He's so cool." Adrien whispered back. Kagami inhaled and awkwardly sat down into her car, reaching for the door.

 

"We are, most definitely texting about this-" She muttered.

 

"As you wish!" Adrien giggled giddily, shutting the door for her. Oh to be- dating? Oh man, dating.. It's more like... Oh to be going out with someone you can talk about attractive people with.. Adrien was living the dream.. and he waved Kagami goodbye with a smile and sighed.

 

Marinette slowly inched next to him, she glanced at him and the car driving away.

 

"Hey dude, can I get a ride home." She asked.

 

Adrien snorted.

 

"Lol yeah." He said. "Payment for the help."

 

"Sick." Marinette fist bumped him.

 

...

 

Juleka let out a gross snotty sneeze.

 

"Ewwww.." Luka squinted concernedly at her despite his slight disgust. "Did you take your coat off? I told you that you were gonna catch a cold, Jules!"

 

"Shududup.." Juleka sniffled.

 

 

Notes:

Just so you guys know

the way Im writing Adrigami is in a very "the bisexual couple that squees about each other's celebrity crushes" way

very girlboss malewife way

thats all

 

oh and also I haven't ice skated before, this is just me on research and asking my buddy scream for help

 

Next Chapter, all that glitters is gold

Chapter 63: Style Queen

Summary:

Warning

Audrey is here

you know what that must entail

 

There are so many abandonment issues here

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Chloe was excited.

 

No.

 

Ecstatic.

 

Like all her wishing on every single star had finally come to fruition. She'd never been this happy before. 

 

"I heard your mom is coming into town, Chloe, how exciting."

 

"Mhm! Mhm! Mhm! She's finally come back to France, Ms Bustier! It's gonna be so amazing." Chloe was bouncing on the spot. She was on her way out the door but she supposed she could stay for a minute or two.

 

She waited a moment for the rest of her classmates to leave before turning to her teacher with a big grin.

 

"She said she was going to stay for a while too. For as long as she wanted this time! Instead of work like she kept saying! Or well, she didn't say that. But she's coming by so she has to right? And it's Uncle Gab- I mean, Mr Agreste's first show in over like a year. And Fashion week. So like, she has to!" Chloe beamed, twirling about. "Isn't that amazing, Ms Bustier? Isn't that amazing? I can finally catch up with her and talk to her and-"

 

She'd already rambled Panthera's ear off the day before. Oh my god. She was just, on cloud nine. And sharing that happiness with one of her favorite people. Oh man. It's been.. it's been so long..

 

"I'm sure she's excited to see you too." Ms Bustier said hopefully. Chloe was so sure of it. But uh... Chloe turned to look at her with an awkward big smile.

 

"Just because she's gonna be back doesn't mean you're not cool anymore though!" Chloe said quickly, giving a nervous laugh. Ms Bustier stared at her wide eyed before chuckling. 

 

"That's very considerate of you, Chloe. But don't worry, I don't need to compare yourself to your mom to know I'm-" Ms Bustier gave a sly wink, holding up her 'My Ranch My Rules' cup with another chuckle. "-Pretty cool."

 

Chloe giggled, still bouncing on her feet. Ever since Zombizou, Chloe had talked to her favorite teacher more, she'd promised to after all, and it made her feel, great. And she didn't want to ever disappoint Ms Bustier.. She sighed.

 

"You think she'll be proud of me? I've grown so much, haven't I? I even made her a gift. I'm- it's going to impress her, right?" Chloe preened at herself, though secretly, she was hoping to reel in some compliments. Ms Bustier chuckled, standing up from her teacher's chair after gathering her things to slowly make her way in front of Chloe. Her teacher smiled softly at her.

 

"You have." Ms Bustier said, putting a comforting hand on Chloe's shoulder. Chloe stopped her bouncing as Ms Bustier gave a warm smile at her, her eyes widening a little as she looked up at the woman. "I think you've developed in so many fantastic ways Ms Bourgeois, and I.. I'm very proud of you. You're such an exceptional kid, always know that."

 

Chloe gave a shaky smile at that. 

 

"I.. I will.." Chloe said. Exceptional..

 

She was gonna see her mom soon. She was gonna show her how exceptional she was.

 

Chloe was so caught up in it all, skipping out the door, she didn't catch the worried look on Ms Bustier's face. The teacher stifled a melancholic sigh of worry, her eyes squeezing shut, before following after her.

 

...

 

"I heard Adrien's gonna be in his dad's fashion show today for fashion week."

 

"Really?" Rose said, humming. "Wow you don't say."

 

"Yeah." Juleka shrugged. "Adrien told me about it during math yesterday. Marinette is using her Pigeon hat again."

 

"Is it a big show?" Rose skipped a little as she lead Juleka down the block. Juleka hummed, thinking. Well. Yeah. It had to be. It was the first show his old man was doing since.. well.. his mom's disappearance. Lots of pressure on him, she assumed. For both of the Agreste's. She wondered where Emelie Agreste really was. 

 

Juleka squeezed Rose's hand at that. This was a pretty nice week so far if Juleka had said so herself. The amount of akumas a week had slowly dipped. People knew how Hawkmoth worked now. They wouldn't let themselves be easy victims anymore.

 

This meant Juleka could take more time with her girlfriend and she loved hanging out with her girlfriend. She loved hanging out with her Rose.

 

"Yeah, it's gonna be a big one." Juleka nodded, turning the corner with Rose and any words she was gonna say, dropped. "It- No, way."

 

Juleka's head swiveled between the building and Rose. Her eyes were wide dish plates and suddenly what had originally considered as a nice outfit for the day out, had suddenly shrunken to feel like the most unruly clothing imaginable for any sort of event-

 

"Surprise date! I know you like fashion even though you keep trying to deny it and I got tickets and some of our friends might be there but-" Rose grinned, holding up two small passes with a big giddy look in her eyes but she didn't even finish as Juleka swooped her up into her arms. 

 

Loving Rose was the easiest thing in the world. Being loved by Rose was the most surprising. And yet, one of the best feelings ever, exploding in her chest like fireworks, and all she could do was just kiss her pretty face over and over. Rose squealed, legs kicking behind her.

 

"AAAAaaa I LOVE YOU-"

 

"Entrances is that way let's go let's go!"

 

"How-"

 

Juleka paused, her eyes widening as she took more and more of reality in, her breathing catching up to her.

 

"How much were the tickets?" Juleka shakily asked.

 

"Shh don't worry!" Rose hurried her on. Juleka shook her head frantically, eyes bugging out wide.

 

"Rose I need to know!"

 

"NOOo you don't you'll just try and pick pocket money onto me!" Rose whisper shouted, bouncing place as she dragged her on. "This a treat for you!"

 

"Rose please!"

 

...

 

Chloe figured she'd be- perhaps- picking her mother up from the airport- or- or perhaps- um- getting a chance to talk- but uh- quick meeting at the door was fine- they were bustling to the car- haha- it was- it was busy- they'd have time later- and in the car too! To- to catch up.

 

Chloe was excited.

 

She remembered her present this time. No repeats of Zombizou- she would make this day- perfect- Chloe suppressed an awkward squee, looking up at her mother next to her. She anxiously drummed her fingers against her knee, trying to catch her gaze- but she couldn't quite tell when the woman wore shades.

 

Now? Err. No- Now?

 

She wanted to give the gift now but-

 

"M-Mommykins-" She began. It felt childish. Like something she'd say when she was bratty and a child... But it was like Audrey had never left. She was hoping it'd get her attention- please give her attention-

 

"What?" Audrey Bourgeois looked down at her. Chloe inhaled and it nearly caught in her throat, her dad shot her a look of such a strange, wide eyed energy, that sent an electric snap up her spine. Chloe grinned, holding the box in her pocket.

 

The style queen was, the epitome, of everything she was supposed to be as a woman, as a daughter, as a successor... as a person... she was- an alter of greatness. That Chloe was on the steps to achieve. Her purpose...  her desire to please her- to please anyone who came close to such a godlike figure in Chloe's life-

 

Audrey was so big.

 

Chloe was so small. 

 

But that was when she was younger. Unimpressive. Not anything yet. But she Was something now. And Audrey was going to see it. She had friends, and she had leadership, people saw her as more than just an aimless sting, Panthera, Adrien, Alix...

 

And...

 

"Nothing, nothing, nothing wrong." Chloe said quickly, waving a limp hand. She fumbled with the box, her mouth clammy as she came up with words to say. "I... just got you something and..."

 

"Ugh." Audrey's voice went, it was different from when it was on television or on plugged in headphones. Because she was speaking to her.. and.. "Can't it wait, Coraline?"

 

Ah.

 

That's how it always was, and, and Audrey- from what Chloe could see from afar. From magazines.. To websites.. to the artistic painting that Chloe had culminated in her mind of the beautiful mother who she had created Audrey Bourgious to be...

 

Audrey was home.

 

It's like she never left.

 

"Of course! Anything for you, mom!" Chloe said quickly. The doors opened. It was time; to be a perfect family.

 

"Audrey, how long are you planning to stay in Paris?"

 

"As short as possible."

 

A perfect family.

 

Chloe... was... happy....  So happy... that she was home...

 

...

 

"Rose!" Juleka couldn't help but let her voice break out into a cracked laugh, her voice dying on her lips as they were bustled inside. It was loud. That was the first thing she could process and she anxiously fiddled with her jacket strings- letting out a whistle.

 

The runway, the crowds, the flashes of cameras, the groups of famous people pushing in. Were they looking at her? At how ill-prepared she was for this? Did they think she looked shabby? Like some wannabe manic pixie dream girl- like- like some stupid kid who wanted to be a dumb model- or- or-

 

"Is it too much?"

 

Rose had tilted her head, making eye contact with Juleka. Her voice melted into her, creating a bubble of just them. An eye in the storm. It was just, people, around them. And she was safe and invisible. Juleka looked down at her and shook her head.

 

"Not with you here." Juleka smiled, squeezing her hand. Her eyes softening at her girlfriend and she couldn't help but feel her lips stretch into a wider, happier grin just- seeing- soaking in Rose there- "You make me feel safe."

 

"Jules.." Rose smiled.

 

"Hey! Rose! Juleka! Izzat you? Over here!" They turned to see from the first row and lit up, seeing some familiar faces. The two girls clambered down the stairs. The two were just a row behind them and yet Juleka couldn't contain her mixture of terror and excitement that bubbled up her throat. 

 

"Hi guys!" Rose was excitedly waving. Juleka strayed just a step behind though still greeted them all with a shy smile. Nino, Alya, Marinette's parents, and most surprisingly Alix appeared in front of them all, grouping near their seats and waving to them.

 

"Hi you two!" Alya waved.

 

"Oh my! It's so nice to see you two girls, gosh, we haven't seen you two since Marinette's birthday!" Sabine greeted with such a beaming grin. Juleka was about to say something but let out a surprised squeak as Sabine brought them into a hug. She didn't realize she was- close enough- for that. Oh wow.

 

"It's so good to see so many of Marinette's friends here to support her at her first big fashion show oh I could just cry!"

 

Juleka froze and stared up.

 

Tom Dupain is a kind hearted, lovable, bear of a man. And for some reason, somewhere in Juleka's chest, she was still, a little fearful him. That man could crush her if he tried to hug her. So She politely stepped back, and watched as Rose went hurling herself into the man's arms for a giant dad hug, giggling. 

 

"So, Alix." Juleka said, looking over her shoulder and down south where the pink- turning- red haired girl stood, sparing a glance upwards. Juleka's lips curled into a slow, yet sharp toothed smile. "What are you doing at a Fashion show. Certainly not to get some advice, ey?"

 

"Oh shush." Alix snarked back with a long grin that slowly drifted. "I... got an invite actually."

 

Juleka's interest piqued.

 

"From who?" She asked curiously. "Is your family close to fashion circles? I thought they were archeologists and- yknow- museum... people..."

 

Alix bit her lip awkwardly at that, looking away. She actually looked pretty well dressed for the event. With a sleek leather jacket and an actually to-the-occasion shirt and pants. Juleka didn't know the tiny mayhem could clean up so well, well, discounting Princess Prom. But, you know, Juleka didn't remember that day quite as fondly.

 

Huh. Princess Prom... Juleka looked Alix up and down and the slightest twitch of a smile lifted her lips into the tiniest of smirks.

 

"Were you invited by a certain someone?" She purred carefully. Alix's half lidded eyes suddenly snapped wide and wild towards her and Juleka nearly jolted if not for her decision to harness the bullshit energy her cat hero persona carried on a day to day basis. 

 

But what Alix said next had swept Juleka off her feet.

 

"Chloe's mom is here." Alix blurted out, almost her own amazed whisper. "Audrey Bourgeois is actually here..."

 

"Oh." Juleka murmured, Alix brushed Juleka off, strutting her way to her seat with a huff in her seat as time slowed for a second or two for the gothic hero. Juleka's eyes wide and distant as those words carried to rest in her chest. "Oh.."

 

"Your mom's gone huh."

 

It was an afternoon like many others when Panthera asked this, tucked up on the little roof just above Chloe's little balcony, the heiress relaxed over a pool chair looking without a care in the world. 

 

"Only temporarily of course. She's been on a trip." Chloe said quickly. "She's busy with some crazy things, she's so cool though Panthera I- really- I look up to her so much. You've got to understand how strong she is. How every person respects her thanks to how hard she works... it's inspiring to me. She's like a pillar."

 

"I see..." The cat hero replied, pulling her knees in the most unsurely. "How long has she been gone though?"

 

"...Eight years." Chloe slowly said, looking up at her with a smile though. "She's gonna be like, oh Chloe look how mature and smoking and tall you've grown. She's missed me this entire time of course. Hm!"

 

Panthera could imagine that little chirp Chloe made right in front of her eyes and her arms came to cross with thought.

 

Juleka hummed, her eyebrows furrowing with confliction over the Style Queen image Chloe tried so desperately to sell, the Style Queen Juleka could perceive, and the one she tried to paint an image of using the shit under the log of issues Chloe had hid like a raccoon with worms...

 

"I gotta go guys! Adrien managed to get me to DJ isn't that crazy!?" Nino exclaimed, puffing out his chest with a mixture of pride and excitement. He had gotten a lot more confident recently since that whole Anansi incident. It was a good look for him. "I'm playing only the best for my bro. It's gonna be great."

 

"Good luck Nino!" Alya waved.

 

"Where's Marinette?" Juleka asked curiously. Alya knocked a thumb far off.

 

"I think she's checking in with Adrien," The blogger replied, waving a hand with an endeared little smile. "She was doing touch ups last, rambling about how she wanted it to be perfect and so on and so forth.."

 

"She must be super excited!" Rose pepped up, bouncing on the balls of her feet with a big smile.

 

"More like super nervous." Alya shoved her hands in her pockets. "Poor girl might pop." 

 

The two went to go sit down and Rose looked up at her with a little lopsided grin. Juleka rose an eyebrow at her, questioning why Rose was looking at her like that, before Rose leaned up to whisper into Juleka's ear.

 

"Maybe there'll be a modeling agent or two here!~" She sang. Juleka felt an almost chilling electrical zap go up her spine and she aggressively shook her head, blood rushing to her face.

 

"Nope, you shut now." Juleka huffed with a playful sneer, squishing Rose's cheek lovingly. "Fashion show, we're watching."

 

"It's gonna be so cool!" Rose beamed.

 

"Thank you again... Now..." Juleka clicked her tongue sadly, gazing down at her girlfriend. "...If only I could... repay you..."

 

"It's no prob, Jules!" Rose said, her smile faded as she stared at Juleka. She squinted at her with a light pout. "Juleka no puppy eyes I'm still not telling you the cost of the tickets."

 

"Puppy eyes?" Juleka drew back in offense.  She squinted hard. That. That no... "I don't have puppy eyes."

 

"Yes you do!" Rose squeaked, booping her on the nose with a round of little giggles. "You get all cute looking and big eyed when you want want something from me, and it's always something I won't give you!"

 

Juleka opened her mouth to speak but she had no words and just promptly fell silent to her own bashful embarrassment.

 

"Marinette! Yoo-hoo!"

 

Her ears perked up, and she lifted her head to see Marinette walking down the bleachers with Adrien's- manager- assistant- lady- what was her name... the one with the red streak in her hair- by her side. 

 

The woman made Juleka's shoulders tense. She had a funny look in her awfully icey gaze, so Juleka kept her head down whilst Marinette's family and Alya excitedly hollered her down. Sabine hummed anxiously, watching them walk down.

 

"She looks nervous..." Sabine said.

 

"She's oughta be, lots of big stuff on her shoulders- first show, first professional piece.." Alya agreed before looking over with a smile. "But if it helps cool your nerves; Adrien's gonna be modeling it so.."

 

"It's gonna go great for her, sweetie, we know. She's our talented girl after all, and if it doesn't, then we'll have a good ol' party anyways!" Tom reassured his wife with a beaming smile, giving her a kiss on the cheek. Juleka's eyebrows furrowed a little at that, feeling a sinking feeling in her chest.

 

"How dilapidated is this place? And I have to share the front row with this group of low-lifes? Ridiculous. Utterly, Ridiculous." 

 

Juleka's hair bristled. And it was like the devil had walked into the room and sucked every, happy warm breath that had lived there. It was like the devil had walked into the room, and she was here to ruin everything.

 

It's...

 

"Ahaha, excuse me ma'am." Alya said smoothly, catching the attention of the human manifestation of a string of hair caught in your butt crack. Alya smiled toothily, though the quick to the point tone in her voice wasn't unnoticed by Juleka. "Yeah sorry, but that seat is reserved for Marinette, our friend."

 

Audrey Bourgeois.

 

She had seen the woman on the briefest of magazines Juleka had skimmed over with her face on it along with the few sites Juleka would happen upon to learn more about fashion. It was cause she was trying to delve into Ladybug's interests, but also figure out the inkblot that was on Chloe's history...

 

...And it looked like the woman was just as much of an ice queen as Juleka was most heinously suspecting in her own, most wish-it-weren't-true- way... But that meant nothing. Because there the devil was, in the flesh, wearing the darkest of shades, and the most unruly of glittery hats.

 

"This Marinette girl, again?" Audrey Bourgeois drawled, tapping a claw on her knee. "What's so good about her that I keep hearing this name every single moment of today?"

 

Juleka stifled a hiss when... Chloe- no she didn't appear. Juleka just hadn't even noticed her. Chloe was barely there. She was like some shadow. Just drifting, desperately after her mother's feet- she...

 

"Mom please, I can handle this, watch me watch me!" Chloe's voice was surely registering as 'loud' to Juleka. But it was hardly any shape of commanding as it could've been, should've been...

 

Chloe sounded.. small.

 

"Everyone!" Chloe clapped, "This is my mother; Miss Style Queen! The Audrey Bourgeois. The most powerful woman in the world of fashion. See she's been waiting for this sorta show for forever and so she's really important and needs this seat-"

 

"Need? Charlie- I mean Chloe- don't demean me to needing anything." Audrey critiqued, snapping a finger that made Chloe's smile split wider and her body grow tauter. "Another mess up like that and you're absolutely fired."

 

"Right mom, sorry mom! Thank you! I won't mess up like that ever again for you!" Chloe squeaked with the most... awful smile. Juleka's mouth slowly fell and a sudden compulsion to take Chloe and just run shot up her spine and and and...

 

"This won't be necessary Mrs. Bourgeois, Mr. Agreste has reserved a seat for you." Juleka blinked upwards and could see Mr Agreste's cold assisstent standing now in front of the group. Her eyes just as dead as they always were.

 

"Hmph. Finally." Audrey, presumably looked up, and stood to meet the red streaked woman in the eye, though slightly skewed thanks to her golden heels.

 

Her expression was uninterested as far as everything uncovered by those pair of sunglasses and her voice flat as she spoke out the bare minimum of a greeting. 

 

"Nathalie." Audrey said, deciding even add a scoff. "Still humping Gabe's leg after all of these years."

 

"Mrs Bourgeois."  Nathalie greeted without change in her tone, though the woman made the most expressive change in her face by deciding to look Audrey up and down and flatly proclaim two deadpanned words. "You've aged."

 

"Hwuhwh- N-Nathalie!" Chloe squawked, her voice shaken with terror. Audrey just clicked her tongue sourly.

 

"My seat, Nathalie?"

 

"Of course, Mrs. Bourgeois." Nathalie said, a lace of silent venom in her tone. "In the second row."

 

"WHAT!?" Audrey screamed, her voice echoing ho high across the entire hall people had stopped conversations to turn head to see the woman looking red in the face and gripping her hands so tight into fists, her gloves nearly ripped. 

 

There was a unanimous gulp.

 

"Miss Style Queen always sits in the front row." Audrey snarled, shoving a finger into Nathalie's chest. "Don't you try and PLAY with me, NATHALIE. WHERE'S MY FRONT ROW SEAT I ALWAYS GET ONE!"

 

Juleka grabbed Rose's hand, her heart beating out of her ribcage so fast it nearly began to hurt.

 

"Not today." Nathalie simply dared. Challenging that anger. Chloe looked sick, stepping back as Audrey steamed with rage.

 

"This is unacceptable! Gabriel CANNOT do this to me!" Audrey spat through her teeth, she made a show, pointing at herself as she came inches away from Nathalie's face, like she was ready to breathe fire onto her. "I'm the one who discovered him! Without me, he'd still be drawing his unworthy designs in his dismal, grim studio!"

 

Juleka began reaching for her ears, she wanted this to stop, but the assistant only added to the fire with a stoney, challenging glare.

 

"I can offer your seat to someone else if you don't want it." Nathalie said eloquently, the bird like woman looming close to Audrey. "It's your choice, Audrey."

 

"How dare you." Audrey snarled. "You're-"

 

"No Miss Nathalie- w-wait..!"

 

The woman looked down with a sharp snap as did Audrey and Juleka felt herself gulp as Marinette stood to the side, holding up a little hand for attention. Marinette held herself strong, despite the shaking in her knees and gave a little smile to the both of them.

 

"She- Mrs. Bourgeois can take my seat!" Marinette said with a lopsided smile. "I should be on standby in case any costume mishaps anyways, right?"

 

Nathalie's face didn't change from it's stony exterior at that, but Juleka could see a twitch in her fingers that laid resting behind her back. They clenched, but she seemed to... calm. She slowly adjusted her glasses and spoke.

 

"Well then," She said, sternly, a stiffened edge in her tone. "Miss Bourgeois."

 

"Hm." Audrey's eyebrow twitched upwards, pushing past Marinette, though Juleka couldn't see beneath her black shades if she took a glance at the girl or not. Alya and Marinette's parents looked deeply upset and once more, deeply uncomfortable, her mother looking like she was about to burst with rage but Marinette only gave a look of careful insecurity.

 

Audrey glanced down at she and Rose and Juleka felt her stomach clench, and with a quiet disgusted 'riffraff', the fashion critic scootched a little away from them. Juleka felt waves of anger drench her heart but she was nearly toppled over by the energy being exuded beside her. Her head turned and there was Alix.

 

Alix glaring a burning hole where Audrey sat with nothing but the most deepest of hate in her eyes..

 

But it was too late to do anything now.

 

Audrey forcibly shoved herself into Marinette's spot and Chloe struggled to find any space for herself, even less so for her father. Juleka watched her, and wanted to reach out, but it was like her hand was invisible to the blonde- who just walked away- tail between her legs...

 

"The show's starting.."

 

So it was. And everyone was tuned in..

 

...

 

"Hello my love. I am here."

 

Gabriel's hand wiped across the cold glass with the most iciest and hungriest of stares.

 

"I'm sorry, it took some time, I know." He muttered to Emelie. She looked like she was smiling at Him. At him specifically. And she was. And she will soon. Oh but he had to be a bit more patient when the fireworks began. "But it was all worth it for today. You'll understand. I put a lot of effort into it."

 

There was a deafening silence to his ears. It sang a song of malice and he felt it fill his lungs with... righteousness yes.

 

Gabriel was quite the particular man.

 

It came to his craft.

 

His craft of... perfection.

 

Meticulousness, it was an art form. It meant to have everything he wanted in the most desiring and fruitful way possible.  Mistakes may happen. They offered a step to him in the Correct direction. But those would end soon. 

 

"You remember Audrey, don't you, love." Gabriel asked, he added a chuckle. "She did help me, it's a shame she's... haah.. rather dumb. But I'm glad you two did get along though. Perhaps if the woman has anything but malice in her heart, she'll feel joy when her part of being my masterpiece finally...."

 

His voice caught up in his throat. He could feel Emelie now. He was nearly tempted to sing, to break her out of the glass between their embrace- but he stationed himself with a serene, smile.

 

"....finally..." He said, glasses glazing over. He took in a calm breath, placing the bouquet of flowers upon the glass. "...When I finally bring you home, my Emelie."

 

Buzz...buzz...buzz...

 

Gabriel looked up from the coffin slowly and expected to see a call from Audrey which he would gracefully ignore and await the arrival of his masterpiece but was mildly surprised to see it was Nathalie.

 

He answered.

 

"The plan failed, someone intercepted, sir."

 

He blinked. Confused. ...What?

 

"What do you mean?" Gabriel shakily asked.

 

"Audrey 'cooled' down, sir."

 

His hands grew clammy, gripping tight against the glass.

 

"There's nothing to akumatize her with, sir. Miss Dupain Cheng ended up giving up her seat for Audrey and Audrey relaxed."

 

"But she was meant to explode..! To... to..."

 

"Sir- I'm sorry but that's not what happened."

 

"Piss her off more then.." Gabriel snarled with a shaking desperation as he loomed over Emelie's glass but Nathalie's voice cut in.

 

"That's not possible sir, the fashion show has already started."

 

He paused at that.

 

"It has..?" Gabriel asked lostly, looking up. He glanced down at his watch but the numbers meant nothing to him. "So it has, hasn't it."

 

There was a pause.

 

He was missing his Adrien. Their Adrien. Their Adrien that they made. Right now. He was alone, his boy. Doing something else. Far from him. He just sent him off without little care...

 

"There was a chance she would've gotten akumatized at a moment when the show had begun. She could've endangered Adrien." Nathalie added on slowly, unsurely. "M- Maybe it's good this time didn't work it had a bit of a risk and-"

 

He hung up on her and just stared at the coffin with dismay.

 

Emelie...

 

Guilt ate at his chest, eyes darting around and he felt the world spin as he tugged at his hair, at the shredded remains of a plan he was just, so confident in. Had he become so disconnected from the world that even Audrey- the most predictable old crone in the world- had slipped from his understanding?

 

Had France- had everyone moved on to a new reality instead of him?

 

I don't want to break our promise, but… have I truly done anything beyond what I possibly could?

 

"Forgive me, Emelie.." Gabriel muttered. 

 

"Master?" Nooroo floated out from the darkness.

 

Gabriel's eyes rose gravely.

 

"Nooroo I renounce you.." Gabriel snarled and Nooroo's cut off yelp of surprise was the only other echo in the darkness as he nearly collapsed to his knees. Gabriel steadied himself and attempted to march his way out.

 

He was a hero. He was a god. He was choosing good, as dedicated by his ability to choose bad. He had that power it was his it was his that he could control. To be reconnected to human kind, he was doing this. He had that power in his grasp. Gabriel could do whatever he wanted.

 

He didn't see any options to try and fight some petty heroes.. he didn't see any options that could let him win...

 

So Gabriel went to his own fashion show.

 

...

 

Chloe shifted, it was hard to see the show in the dark light and the bustling crowd of people who just like them weren't seated at any row but standing to watch instead. Her grip on her arms tightened and she was trying to ignore Alya and Marinette's chittering voices.

 

"Hey guysss! Check it out! The hat the Adrien Agreste is wearing was made by the one, the only, the most talented, MY BEST FRIEND, Marinette Dupain Cheng!" Alya was hollering despite the beating music that rang Chloe's ears. She held up her phone to the bright pink Marinette. "Anything you'd like to say during my livestream, Madame?"

 

Alya had left to stand with Marinette shortly after Audrey took the chick's seat. Fool, her legs were gonna get tired. Though... the blogger looked a bit more... stronger recently. Must be the akuma chasing.

 

"Oh- wow- um- Hi?" Marinette squeaked, waving at the camera. Chloe stiffly chuffed. She was... uncomfortable she didn't understand why. Her skin was crawling to breathe around this place. It wasn't because of her classmates either and it was just...

 

Her eyes gazed down the rows, her grip on herself tightening as they drifted to one person to one person, to Alix, to Juleka... to her mother... to Marinette's mother. How they kept looking up to wave at Marinette- why did they keep doing that- they knew their daughter was there- how much attention-

 

"Glad you're having fun you two." Chloe muttered.

 

"Annnnnd there's our Chloe, hi Chloe." Alya dryly greeted, though she still held up her camera to Chloe, gesturing her to do something. Chloe shifted, before giving a little half wave towards it. Alya smiled at that, though when Chloe looked over to Marinette the girl looked a little more tense.

 

Chloe bit her lip.

 

Trying to think.

 

"You know, like, at- it's probably good my mom has your seats right now." Chloe said. She immediately winced. That didn't come out right. Marinette glared.

 

"Thanks, Chloe. Real nice of you..." Marinette muttered, looking away. 

 

"That wasn't- what I- what I meant to say is- ugh..." Chloe growled, shaking her head. She shouldn't snap more. Chloe took in a slow breath in, and then out. Calm. Be calm. She was okay and calm. Positives check? To calm down? Let's try.

 

Mom is home. ...That's good..! She loves you. That's good. She's just busy and stressed the fashion show is a lot. It feels like I'm walking on egg shells around her. No. No. Good things. It's cause she's such a good critic. I've got so many things to learn with her once I spend time with her.

 

Alix came. She didn't have to. That was sweet of her. She looks so pretty. I wish I could tell her that.

 

The fashion show isn't a disaster. 

 

Adrien isn't sneezing and-

 

"Woah what the-"

 

"I… don't… believe this!"

 

It was... No... way... 

 

Chloe shoved her way besides Alya and Marinette, her jaw and eyes wide- her hands clambering to hold someone cause her shock was so unbelievable she had no idea what she was even processing. 

 

It's him.

 

For the first time in over a year since she was gone... it... was him...

 

"Gabriel Agreste." Marinette breathed.

 

There the man stood.

 

Chloe's breath stilled. Why in the hell was he- was he- actually here? Chloe figured he wasn't going to show up. He never showed up to anything anymore. He was a hermit now. A recluse. But. This wasn't some hologram, right?

 

This was insane. No one had even began taking pictures they were all just surprised at what they were seeing. 

 

"L-ladybloggers-" Alya began shakily narrating for her phone, her eyes wide behind the her glasses. "This is a- a huge update! That's Gabriel Agreste; he hasn't been in public in ages. But, he's here. In the- in the flesh? Is this an actual return of the man?-"

 

A spotlight shot down against the man. A silvery white against his face. He looked up and Chloe could see Adrien, looking so, tiny, against that lonely runway, staring at his father with wide eyes.

 

"Has Adrien even seen him all this time..?" Chloe found herself wondering. Marinette's head swung to her with a look of offense but her face faded and continued to watch.

 

Gabriel slowly dragged his feet across the runway and stood, looming over Adrien now with His eyes steely and his hands gripped to his sides tightly. Adrien, shakily took off his hat and anxiously looked up at him with a near fearful look.

 

"Did I do something wr-"

 

Gabriel yanked him into a hug.

 

The crowd gasped and it was like time found it's stride again, zooming forward and suddenly the deafening sounds of clicking and snaps of camera shutters. Adrien's eyes stretched wide open and his arms awkwardly hovered with so much unsureness before Adrien's legs fell beneath him and he embraced his father with a lonely desperation for appreciation.

 

Gabriel had come out here.

 

Out of his safe hiding.

 

To see Adrien.

 

Chloe stepped back, uncomfortably rubbing her arm. Why did this make her skin crawl?

 

"My dear Audrey, I heard about the unforgivable misfortune you had to endure. My deepest, apologies. It seems Nathalie got the wrong seating order."

 

"I'm still quite overwhelmed."

 

Chloe blinked. When did she get here?

 

She was within a circle of people. Everything between the show and after was a blur. So much noise was coming to her. She couldn't focus on one singular thing. And people were still joining their group. Their group of exceptionals...

 

"Now, don't blame Nathalie." Gabriel tutted his tongue, nodding to the woman with an uncharacteristic smile. "She's always just been quite thorough and strong willed with her job. She's the best assistant I could ask for."

 

"Hmph. Fair enough, at least you're aware you're nothing without her." Audrey sharply said with a sly sting.

 

"I want you to know that I've fired the person who was responsible for the misunderstanding." Gabriel added on smoothly, his eyes glinted. "Only one row in the house is befitting to Audrey Bourgeois and that's the first."

 

Audrey's lips curled into a bit of a wider smile now. She looked flattered.

 

"Let's not overdo it. Huh Gabriel?" Audrey chuckled smoothly. Chloe shook her head, trying to re-center herself. Breath in... and out...

 

Who was here? Mom... Dad... Uncle Gabriel... Nathalie... oh Adrien- Chloe squinted. Marinette- her parents-... 

 

"Oh, would you look at this. I haven't seen you in a while. Ally was it?"

 

Chloe blinked, turning with shock to see...

 

"Alix. Alixandria. Kubdel." A voice snipped out, the girl's eyes grew half lidded at the woman. There was a bitter taste to how she introduced herself. "You left before my mom's funeral. Remember? Alice Kubdel?"

 

"Oh, yes, right, of course." Audrey said, not quite looking at the girl. "She was a friend of Emelie, not quite a friend of mine. You're a bit scrappy now aren't you. You always dressed like a boy when you were a tot, I see nothing around here has changed. Where's the rest of your bunch?"

 

"Not here. I was invited by Chloe."

 

"Cantaloupe- I mean- Chloe did? Huh."

 

Alix was here. She didn't just leave. Alix met her eyes and made an uncomfortable two finger wave.

 

"Hey." Alix said stiffly.

 

"Hey." She said back. No words were really able to be said and for a moment Chloe felt the cold brush of a memory flicker across her lips- which turned to a sparkling heat that flooded her cheeks. Zombizou, would not, be mentioned between them...

 

"Your mom knew- Alix are you rich??" Marinette whispered, catching Alix's attention and aggressively pointing at Chloe's mom with wide eyes. Alix just chuffed in her direction, looking a little embarrassed. 

 

Audrey hummed, making Chloe stand upright for any of her mother's attention. What was she thinking now? What was she gonna do? Was Chloe behaving well? Could she help? Could she earn her favor?

 

She waited and Audrey reached out towards Adrien's hat to which she plucked from the boy's hands to examine it. 

 

"This hat is not an Agreste one." Audrey remarked.

 

"So you've noticed." Gabriel hummed.

 

"Are you responsible for that?" Chloe blinked, she almost thought Audrey was staring at her and her heart leapt but, that wasn't her hat. She couldn't follow Audrey's eyes from behind those shades but...

 

Chloe quickly glanced towards Marinette beside her who was in some poking battle between her and Alix before the girl's eyes snapped wide and panicked at seeing Audrey staring at her. Marinette's jaw fell and she looked to her parents, then to Chloe. 

 

Chloe helped her escape talking to Audrey earlier, but she couldn't help now. Marinette's face scrunched up, bouncing awkwardly in place before stepping forward to Audrey and nodding a little-

 

"YEah, I-I I made that-" She weakly said, pointing down at it with a nervous smile. Chloe couldn't look. Poor girl was gonna get a real taste of the cruel fashion world where her naïve ridiculousness would clock her up the chin while Audrey stared apathetically down at her. "I um, I hand made it. It was my first time making a derby hat so, I was learning steps along the way, and uh, the feather, I made for uh- for flair- I made it to be synthetic, to accommodate for..."

 

"Hm." Audrey began, shutting Marinette up completely. The poor girl squirming. Her eyes narrowed as she watched Audrey take Marinette’s hand in her claws and lowered her shades to stare at her with clearer- icy eyes. "Why this is..."

 

She’ll rip Marinette apart- Chloe thought numbly. She will. She could never like something so unexceptional. And Marinette- can't be exceptional to Mom. Cause I'm not exceptional yet- no I am- but- this isn't it can't be- but- also-

 

"...Hah! Why it's the most exceptional thing I've ever seen!" 

 

Chloe felt something inside her just, stab into her.

 

Wh... What?

 

"H-Huh?" Marinette sputtered, her eyes widened like dish plates. "You- You really mean it- like- you mean to say- it- that it- you think it's good?"

 

"Exceptional, darling, exceptional!" The voice blathered on so loud in Chloe's ear. It was echoing. She was in a chamber of just that voice and that voice was deafening and Chloe could feel her stomach churning and twisting around in spirals she felt so sick. So awfully sick

 

Audrey's care was earned with hard work.

 

Chloe knew she had to be loved somewhat but her appreciation, it, it had to be earned. She had to earn her affections. By being exceptional. Be exceptional. Do exceptional. Was she not exceptional? Was everything she did not exceptional? 

 

This was not NORMAL of Audrey. SHE NEVER ACTED LIKE THIS SO WHY WAS SHE ACTING LIKE THIS TO MARINETTE!?

 

No no. No doubts. She loved you. She loves you.

 

“You wanna be a fashion designer, right?”

 

”Uh-uh… Yes ma'am.” Marinette said shyly. She loves you.. she loves you..

 

“Then come to New York with me! I'll make you the biggest name in fashion! I'm sure you'll even upstage Gabriel.” New York? She never offered to take me to New York...

 

“I'll be able to model for you!” Adrien said utter glee. She’s taking him with her. Are they all leaving? Where's her invitation?

 

“We'll be here for you honey, no matter what you decide!” Dupain-Cheng’s mother chirped with joy. Oh. Oh lucky lucky Marinette. Marinette gets to be loved. MARINETTE GETS TO BE SUPPORTED. She’s appreciated. I am too. I am too. I'm here too.

 

”My helicopter will be leaving for the airport at 8 p.m. tonight. We can buy anything you leave behind. You must come.” What? Mom never said that- of course she must’ve- she’s leaving again- she’s leaving you again- you weren’t worthy of her presence. 

 

You failed.

 

You failed she's not staying.

 

You weren't INTERESTING enough to her. EXCEPTIONAL. EXCEPTIONAL.

 

"Chloe? Chlo."

 

Chloe felt her breath hiccup and she was shocked back into reality. The ringing in her ears temporarily stopped. There was something wet on her face. Was there was some leak in the ceiling? It didn't look like it was raining.

 

And then her vision cleared and it was blue.

 

It was Alix. Alix.

 

"Hey. Chlo." Alix's voice felt intangible. Where was Alix? Why did Alix sound so far away she was right in front of her. "Are you okay?"

 

Chloe made words but it felt like static. Like white noise. And Adrien spun around, there was just fog over his face. He looked unrecognizable. And suddenly he was speaking. Suddenly Adrien was speaking and he sounded so happy and it was pissing her off-

 

"Isn't this awesome for Marinette, Chloe?"

 

-and suddenly everyone was looking at her and her head was low and suddenly it bubbled up ugly in her face. And Chloe felt herself fucking scream and she felt nasty and she felt awful and she felt evil and she felt WRONG-

 

“It’s ridiculous.. UTTERLY RIDICULOUS! WHY ARE YOU TAKING HER INSTEAD OF ME!?"

 

It was selfish she was selfish this was wrong she was going off the rails why was she like this control control control control control don't make her leave make her stay Chloe wanted her mama to stay she wanted her to stay she wanted to be held.

 

”This is the first time I’ve talked to you in years! You didn’t even-“ Her voice choked for a moment but she fought through it as tears bit at her eyes. There was so many things. She wanted. She wanted. There was too much. Her voice felt raw and aching. “-we wanted talk to you, we wanted to call you, we asked for you to see me! I asked for you to see me, I just wanted to see you! Why her! WHY HER!?”

 

Marinette blanched at the side as the group started to tense. Maybe someone was trying to hush her, ease her, but Chloe could only hear the pounding in her ears, heaving breathing labored and shaking from her quivering jaw. She was overreacting. She had to- She had to-

 

"Chlo-" Alix's voice came but it was cut off quickly.

 

“I'm taking her because she's exceptional, Claudette.” Audrey said, looking down on her with her nose high. Chloe's eyes widened and it felt like every molecule of her being was being spat at. Is this how I acted? Is this me? Am I her? 

 

Chloe felt her muscles burn and her body slack and struggle and she felt HURT and she wanted to kick and scream and throw a tantrum and be HEARD. SHE JUST WANTED TO BE HEARD! And yet Chloe kept making excuses for the both of them..

 

Audrey just stared at her, before tilting her head.

 

“I still don't see why I have to bring you.” She chuffed. Chloe began to quiver, her hands balling tight at her sides, knuckles turning white. Her vision was blurring and her heart began to pound a war drum inside her mind.

 

"Chloe-" Marinette began but Chloe didn't want to FUCKING hear it. NO. Chloe's head spun at her mother. She WAS exceptional. She WAS. Audrey just didn't SEE her that was all. She just wasn't around. That's why- That was why-!

 

“Then I can become exceptional too! In YOUR eyes.! If that's what the problem is.!” Chloe shouted, her voice was shaking. Her body was shaking. Chloe, was shaking. Burning tears stung hard in her eyes and she could feel herself, her face, getting, getting hotter and more flushed as the humiliation, the fear, the stress, started to, to, build. Higher. Higher.

 

But she was still desperate, desperate for Audrey to hear what she had to say.!

 

“I know- I know it- if- If you just gave a glance at me, I promise that I’ve done exceptional things you could be proud of.!” Chloe sputtered, and then it all cracked open, and Chloe couldn't help but fully scream- "I JUST WANT YOU TO LOVE ME!"

 

The moment her voice died, she stared upwards for a reaction. Audrey was silent. No one could tell what she’d say next. No one knew if Audrey even registered what the girl had said, as her eyes were shielded by her shades and her mouth remained in the tight lipped annoyed frown.

 

“C- Cause I'm exceptional, too!” Chloe cried, staring up at her. The color drained from her face as Audrey just stared at her without response. Chloe began to panic. Her voice coming out in a fragile, terrified, whisper. A question she didn't want answered. But still, it fled her lips in a search for the truth.. the truth! “..Aren’t I, Mom?”

 

Chloe sniffled, trying to breathe easier. Stand up straight, like a lady, and look her mother in the eye for her critique..

 

Audrey just stared at her. Motionless.

 

And then, she spoke.

 

“...Chloe.” Audrey finally began. She sighed and gingerly took off her glasses, shaking her hair to look down at her daughter with a neutral and uninterested expression. Audrey just sighed, looking her up and down with her own eyes.

 

She called me.. my name.. She momentarily thought in some horrifically trained euphoric reaction to such a low bar of love.. She was looking at her... Then Chloe's knees nearly buckled at that frightening gaze before Audrey's ever forked tongue stuck itself out hissed the most world shattering words..

 

“Let me make this clear with you, Chloe, so you can understand; because the only exceptional thing about you, my dear..." She began. My dear... that was the first time Chloe was ever called- Audrey's eyes narrowed. "...Is your mother.”

 

Chloe stared.

 

"There's nothing else to it.." Audrey shrugged, casually wiping her glasses. "Perhaps you've always been unexceptional to me... Look it's not that important for me to remember to be honest. And I could never love anything unexceptional, it's just... a waste of energy for me, I don't get anything in return, and you have nothing to offer."

 

Audrey just, waved a hand. Her voice... was just so... relaxed.

 

"If you want some actual motherly advice; don't waste your time." Audrey said, her eyes glazing over her, sliding her glasses back on. "You're not really any sort of daughter to me, and I was never there in your life. I avoided it. It was annoying to deal with you, there was nothing here to benefit me, and then I left."

 

"But you're my mom.." Chloe breathed.

 

Audrey just stared.

 

"Why would you consider me a mother?" Audrey asked, shaking her head in... an aura of confusion. "I don't love you. There's nothing there. In fashion terms, you're not my child, you're just a rough first draft.."

 

Chloe felt her head hang between her shoulders. Her eyes struck wide as that, settled, into her skin. Oh. I see. She felt her body stagger. Woah. She felt. So dizzy suddenly... so.. ahhah.. woah now... why was her vision blurring.. Why...

 

"Oh now don't cry like some baby." Audrey tsked as Chloe began to sniffle weakly, Chloe let out a hiccup as she weakly tried to wipe her salty tears away. I'm sorry, I'm sorry- She was just trying her best.. How pathetic of her.. But she deserved it. She was nothing. She was nothing. She was nothing.. "Your makeup looks disgusting now-"

 

"That's enough, Audrey. That's enough you stop there right now, you fucking stop that right now. You don't fucking talk to my daughter like that."

 

People began shouting at each other.

 

Chloe just stood there.

 

Empty.. empty.. empty.. her entire existence...

 

Empty...

 

She felt herself stagger in place and her father start to shout with rage- no not just her father- Dupain Chen’s as well. How pathetic of her. To be pitied and defended by her enemy. But she deserved it. She was nothing. She was nothing. She was nothing.

 

Everything was just static. 

 

"Chloe-" Adrien's voice barely cut through the mist and then-

 

CRACK!

 

Chloe revolted back, but there was no pain. She was not the one hit.

 

Black shades clattered to the ground and Audrey reeled back in utter shock as she fell flat on her ass against the the ground. Alix stood over the woman, her shaking, knuckle bruised hand reflecting the red welt on Audrey's cheek. 

 

Chloe's jaw fell and it felt like Rome collapsed around her as this matriarch figure laid splayed in a mess across the tile. Her hair bristled and tangled, hat flown off, heel snapped, and her exposed eyes wide with a steaming fury.

 

Alix let out a haggard breath, sweating bullets at what she'd done but her body steeled itself, glaring down at Audrey as she was ripped away from the woman by further screaming of the group.

 

"Audrey are you-"

 

"THAT BRAT! THAT BRAT! I'M GOING TO SKIN HER INTO A COAT! YOU LITTLE SHIT!"

 

"What's going on!?"

 

"ALIX WHY WOUDL YOU-"

 

"YOU DON'T FUCKING TALK TO CHLOE LIKE THAT! YOU DON'T FUCKING DARE!" Alix screamed.

 

Chloe stepped back

 

She caused all of this.

 

Didn't she? All she causes is problems. She makes people hate each other... she's always done this... They're fighting cause of her.

 

Gabriel's eyes were wide at the sight, before a dark look in his eyes came over, a hand grabbing his son back and looking to the crowds staring- staring- staring at all of them and began to speak up.

 

"We better be going home, Adrien. Now. Thank you all for coming- please everyone take your leave!"

 

"SECURITY!" 

 

"Chloe?" Adrien looked around, "Chloe.?!"

 

She was gone.

 

She was running.

 

Chloe was running. 

 

"Haaa..HAAA.. aaAAAgh..!" 

 

There was ice in her lungs she'd never ran so fast in her life. She shoved past people- Her breaths were so painful and her sobs made her feel like she was suffocating. She was scared. She wanted to go home. Where was home. There was no home. She hated everything. She wanted to hide. They could all drop dead for all she cared. She just- she just-

 

Chloe dropped to her knees, curling up tight near the quietest corner with her fingers ripping at her hair. Her head was spinning. She was scared. Chloe wanted to go home. She wanted- to feel- okay- would she ever again? It felt like it'd never-

 

Never...

 

"There you are. God you run fast when you try."

 

Chloe panicked, head spinning upwards but her heart stopped seeing a familiar- bruised knuckle figure. Alix stared down with her, sweating quite a bit, with her jacket hoisted over her shoulder. Alix glanced away with a look of... shame? And weakly slumped down next to the blonde, about a few feet away from her.

 

"Sorry." Alix muttered.

 

"For-" Chloe's voice cracked. Her eyes widened at it, and swallowed down to speak. "For... what?"

 

"For..." Alix began. She slowly plucked her silver pocket watch out from her pocket, and lazily picked at it with an unfocused look, trying to avoid eye contact. "...For punchin' your mom." 

 

Chloe let out a weak choked laugh, her voice dying at her lips. Alix panicked, sitting up straighter.

 

"I- I promise I didn't mean to- I won't do it- even if she- no what I think doesn't matter- Chlo- Chlo breathe- can you breathe for me- just-" Alix's eyes widened as Chloe threw herself into the girl's shoulder. Alix near yelped, falling back as Chloe clung onto her tight. Her body shaking.

 

Chloe could feel Alix's hand softly hover her back before bringing her closer in- draping something warm over her and her head. It was heavy, and comforting. It smelt of leather and Alix and Chloe could feel with her shaking breath and hot tears globbing down her messy face how her body slacked in Alix's arms.

 

The blonde could hear Alix's voice vaguely hushing people by. Telling them to ignore the two and just keep going. Making an excuse or two like "oh her dog died" or "oh her boyfriend dumped her"...

 

Maybe that's why the jacket was there. To make them not realize it was her, Chloe Bourgeois. But maybe it was there just to comfort Chloe... but... Chloe didn't know what to believe anymore in anything...

 

"Here- Chlo- use a tissue, some lady came by with it, said it'd better than rubbing your face maybe your hands. Maybe it can help with your makeup?" Chloe sniffled, pulling away from the skater girl and much to her dismay she could see her nice, baby blue dress shirt, smeared grossly with makeup against her shoulder.

 

"Oh..." Chloe sniffled. "Sorry.."

 

"Ahhh ignore that. It's seen worse days." Alix chuffed lightheartedly, though it was definitely a lie. Chloe took the tissue and did her best cleaning herself up.

 

"I figured it'd never seen any day at all. I've never seen you wear that." Chloe replied. "Where'd you get it? When?"

 

"Oh. Well. Somewhere. At some point. I dunno. I don't remember time stuff well.." Alix shrugged, fidgeting more with her pocket watch. She leaned over to look at Chloe. "You okay?"

 

"...No." Chloe mumbled weakly. Her hands fell to her lap. "No... I don't feel okay at all... I wanna go home... but I don't... it..."

 

Her eyes glazed over. Years of memories of before and after. She lived in a place where people rested. Her room... a place where she spent time in, but... it didn't feel her's so often. She lived in the most luxurious suite for herself. The Hotel was where she lived. It was her father's work. Alix wasn't different, sometimes she quite literally lived at the Louvre.

 

But there was no home. Not in the Hotel. She was a princess in the tower there. The hotel was an Establishment. Maybe at some point... it felt like a home. Maybe Chloe had been able to trick herself into thinking it was one for a while... but... Chloe shook her head. She didn't want to Be there right now.

 

"...it doesn't feel like Home anymore..." Chloe simply said in a whisper. Alix's face fell. Her eyes darted back and forth for a moment before the skater's mouth fell wide to rasp out a word.

 

"Chlo-" Alix began slowly but a loud slam echoed between them, shaking the ground beneath their feet in the most terrifying crack.

 

"THERE YOU ARE, CHLOE. AND MY MY! YOU'RE EVEN ACCOMPANIED BY ANOTHER LIL SHIT NUT I WAS LOOKNG FOR!" 

 

"What the-.. CHLO RUN.!"

 

Alix shoved Chloe hard across the ground. The harsh skidding sound alluded quick to the now stinging burning pain she felt on part of her arm and when she looked out from beneath the leather jacket she stared with wide, mortified eyes, to see...

 

"M-Mom...? Chloe's voice cracked, eyes wide with terror.

 

...a fucking monster.

 

"Shit..." Alix grimaced, as a glowing- glittery staff- pressed hard against her throat.

 

Alix.. ALIX NO...

 

"You're fired..." Style Queen snarled.

 

"ALIX!"

 

...

 

"Panthera good to see you! Is- is that a cheese platter..?"

 

Panthera silently stuffed another thing in her pocket.

 

"It's for Plagg! I was at that Fashion show!" Juleka shouted. She had to leave Rose with Nino for this. Her poor girl was probably listening to Pitbull right now. "They had rich people food! I wanted some! So did Plagg! Then Mrs. World's Ugliest Glitterbomb killed a guy on her way out so I had to improvise! You want one?"

 

"Maybe later!" Ladybug shouted, as Juleka threw the metal plate behind her. "Style Queen is after the Agreste's! Huge fight broke out. She blames them, says they set it up, and she's also got her daughter, Chloe Bourgeois hostage."

 

That sent Juleka's mood downwards. Her eyes thinned as she leapt over a roof top.

 

"Why in the hell is she doing that?" She snarled with a dark, dark tone in her voice. "Is Chloe safe?"

 

"I'm not sure!" Ladybug opened up a hand which Juleka took, swinging them across the street and jumping high in the air for a long moment. The two free falled, facing each other to talk. "She's got this ability to turn into a cloud of glitter that can fly, and turn people into glitter statues. We gotta be careful!"

 

"So she can cover lots of ground... let's use our inter coms just in case." Juleka said, reaching for the small ear piece in her baton. Ladybug did the same with her yoyo and by the time they finally hit ground the two continued booking it to the Agreste mansion- though now- able to be a little further away from each other.

 

However, it seemed they were too late by the time they arrived. Doors were slammed open and when they got inside they could see a blur of gold and a familiar scream fly out of a window.

 

"NOT AGAAAAAAAAIN-"

 

"Chloe!" Juleka shouted with fear.

 

"Can't she stand still for two seconds?" Ladybug growled, swinging after them with Panthera close behind. Juleka was fucking pissed. But she felt like she was lacking a string of context. It felt like a yarn ball she wanted it.

 

The two jumped out the mansion but it was only seconds before they lost her. Turns out; trying to follow a cloud of glitter was actually really hard. Especially in broad day light, and sunset was still in a while.

 

"Aimlessly running won't do us any good." Panthera growled. "I'm guessing she went to the Eiffel Tower. Everyone always goes to the Eiffel Tower."

 

"I'll check the ladyblog to see if Alya's got any deets." Ladybug muttered, yanking out her yoyo quickly and searching up at rapid speed. Juleka would be impressed but she kinda expected it, so she waited anxiously before Ladybug let out an aha. "Eiffel Tower! Let's go!"

 

"Told you so!"

 

There were crowds of people surrounding it. The two heroes leapt onto a building's ledge and watched hidden. The Style Queen was making quite the spectacle... 

 

"We need to get there without being spotted by Style Queen or your fans.." Panthera hissed, gripping her ring tight. 

 

"Agreed." Ladybug said grimly, turning to Panthera. "Here's my plan, we get into the tower detransformed, blending in with the crowd. Once we're in we can transform again. We'll have to go separate so try and transform quick and we'll be connected with our communicators. I want you to fight Style Queen for a bit, distract her, figure out anything else she might got, while I figure out where her akuma is and save the captives."

 

"Aye aye, partner. Let's make this quick." Panthera nodded. She watched Ladybug smile to her and jump off to another building.

 

Juleka sighed, and casually went down the fire escape. 

 

Walking through a crowd of people was simple. No. Not really. Actually it was difficult. Some cops had arrived to hold people from going up the tower. But Juleka had a pretty good strategy for that.

 

She cleared her throat, and tapped a person on the shoulder. They looked down at her in confusion and she faked shock.

 

"I JUST SAW LADYBUG OVER THERE!" She wildly pointed out. Their eyes widened.

 

"YOU JUST SAW LADYBUG!?"

 

"WHERE-"

 

"WHERE'S LADYBUG"

 

"LADYBUG! LADYBUG!"

 

And that was easy. Juleka pulled up her hoodie and snuck through the now screaming and bustling crowd that pointed up and around places. The cops began their own shouting, looking around as well, and Juleka- not making eye contact with any of them- slid underneath the caution tape like a snake.

 

Phase one, complete.

 

The goth briskly skipped up the stairs. Her eyes glazing over the crowd for a familiar look of pigtails and dark hair. Skewing her attention away- Juleka pulled a hunk of cheese from her pocket and tossed it upward and Plagg caught it mid air with a giggle.

 

"I like it when you spark chaos." He said mischievously, he let out a satisfying, fucked up burp, and relaxed, stretching out- ooh big stretch- in the air. "Ahhh reminds me of when I was a little kitten."

 

"Uhuh. And what were you doing then?" Juleka asked slyly. Plagg swayed with a delightful smile.

 

"Oh you know. Living life. Eating the most finest of cheeses." Plagg replied, his tail curling. Juleka squinted at him.

 

"Didn't Fu say something about Dinosaurs?" Juleka asked. Plagg cringed, looking like he was trying to change topics quick.

 

"Like I said." Plagg said, puffing out his chest with a stiff- "I was young."

 

Juleka lovingly rolled her eyes at him, taking her own snacking bite on some 'rich people' cheese. You know, she might get it now, Plagg's taste. She had to stop herself though or else Marinette would be fighting alone.

 

"Alright, Plagg." Juleka said, she gazed up at the Eiffel Tower. Her stomach twisted.. She could only hope Chloe was okay... "Claws out."

 

There was no Ladybug to watch out for. Panthera could see a blur and trusted her to do her job, as she scaled the tower at quick speed. Her hands brushed against metal and she swung through the stretching shadows of the sunset lit monument. A growing nightly chill now crawling up her spine.

 

"Gabriel Agreste, if you refuse to show your face, your son will soon be nothing but glitter in the wind!"

 

She could hear Style Queen now. Hollering like some possessed banshee. Oh, Panthera supposed that was already quite close to reality now wasn't it. Juleka's eyes thinned seeing the creature that she could see from the edges of her vision and suppressed the urge to leap now-

 

Silently, Panthera reached out to one bar and then the other. The darkness was a cloak. The blind spots of this monarch's vision. Panthera paused on her next step, her arm still stretched forward even- as she got a better look at the akuma.

 

Glitter covered her head to toe, her head sharpened into an ugly crown that pointed to the heavens. She looked like a fucking demon and Panthera hadn't even looked at her face, focusing in on that glowing scepter. Her eyes pricked, taking her step finally and slowly stalking closer and closer. 

 

Her claws dug hard into the metal as she reached just behind the woman now. Panthera was hardly breathing. What'd gotten into her? She was so... focused now. Her shoulders rose up, claws stretched outwards, hand on her staff, as she prepared to-

 

Beep Beep Beep!

 

"Panthera I found Chloe and Adrien! We're gonna need you-"

 

"Fuck..!" Juleka snapped out of her trance and hissed with anger. Style Queen spun around aggressively and it was then that to Juleka's horror she saw that her eyes were completely white. 

 

"There you are, you must be the mangy cat!" Style Queen guffawed with great bombastic pride and arrogance. "You'd make a fine fur rug! Oh wait. You're the least exceptional one. And your little Lady-girl said she was with my... hah! Fantastic. I'll deal with you soon, darling!"

 

"FUCK!" Juleka darted forward to grab her but all her hands caught was a handful of blinding dust in her eyes. Juleka shook her head, and she dived down the tower as fast as she could.

 

Least exceptional..? Rude but she knew that. Paris did like Ladybug more than her as a whole. She chuffed, jumping off a bar to scrape downwards faster than she ever could- trying to beat that flying ray of glitter before she hurt someone-

 

"It's really impossible to find qualified staff these days.. You're fired..!"

 

"N-NO..!"

 

Panthera landed hard on the ground and she swung her staff forward.

 

"PISS OFF!" She shrieked, swinging to across Audrey's face- but her eyes widened with utter fear as she watched her staff simply, swipe through, Style Queen's face. 

 

Chloe fell to the ground, shaking with fear as she eyed the glittery- almost scorch mark- on the space right next to her and Panthera stared at the gap in Style Queen's face that regrew itself into an insulted sneer.

 

"You little brat...!" Juleka's heart dropped and she quickly dodged a blast of golden light with a backwards flip. She had barely any time to land when another shot blasted at her and she dived to the side.

 

"PANTHERA!" Ladybug shouted. Style Queen spun towards her and growled, holding up her blazing staff.

 

"Ladybug, hand over those awful earrings and let's get this over with!" She hollered menacingly. Ladybug grimaced and swung her yoyo at her, straight through the ribs. A hole appeared, but it began to refill itself immediately. Style Queen scoffed. "You still don't get it, huh, fashion victim? I... am invincible!"

 

It was only then that Panthera realized the casket of Adrien that was there. A glittery one at that.

 

She yelped, seeing a blast coming at her and grabbed her staff to deflect it but she felt herself slammed backwards into a wall of metal. She choked out a breath and leapt out of the way of another stray shot till her eyes landed down on Chloe- curled up terrified in the madness.

 

Her heart fell and she jumped upwards to behind another bar and saw a blur of red follow from the other side. With her thumping heart, Panthera quickly skittered across the way and stumbled to Ladybug's side with a focused panicked look.

 

Panthera pointed down at Chloe with a desperate look and Ladybug winced but nodded. She held up her yoyo and the two nodded in agreement. The cat hero determinedly slipped down the metal structures.

 

"There you are!" Panthera near panicked but saw Style Queen blasting at Ladybug. She stifled a growl and focused on running towards Chloe who was still crumpled, terrified on the ground.

 

"Panthera!" Chloe weakly gasped. Juleka said nothing, just scooping her up in her arms- and she ran.

 

Juleka ran.

 

She jumped down stairs and dodged blasts of glitter until the battle sounded like a muffled white noise but she kept going- holding Chloe tight to her on her back- trying not to go too fast-

 

God this got out of hand quick.

 

God that's a powerful akuma.

 

Can we even do this?

 

Fuck.

 

It was then she heard Ladybug's voice shoot in her ear.

 

"Panthera, Style Queen is invulnerable to all attacks due to the fact her body is pretty much Just Glitter. I'm going to go and get a miraculous to potentially stop Style Queen with. The bee miraculous. The akuma is in the rose in Adrien's mouth but he's protected by the shield. Once you get Chloe somewhere safe, get back in the fight immediately."

 

"Invincible Fashion Designer, Extra Back up, rose object... Yeah got it. I sorta saw for myself. I won't be too far, Partner." Panthera nodded, clicking off the com.

 

"Invincible..." Chloe echoed.

 

"It'll be fine. We've got a plan brewing, Chlo. Things'll be right as they used to be and-"

 

Panthera landed down on one of stairs and looked to see a few drops of tears hitting the pavement below them. Juleka's face dropped and she set Chloe down quick so she could turn and see her face and-

 

"Chloe- oh hun." Juleka's voice fell, looking at the tears in Chloe's eyes. Oh god. She looked, ruined. She looked... defeated. It hurt to see. Chloe was even more beaten down than she looked at the seat rows. Her hands balling weakly at her dress and her face red and all Juleka could ask was just...

 

"What happened?"

 

Chloe stared up at her and sniffled.

 

"You know how... about... everything I've said? About my... my mom?" Chloe's voice cracked, her hands fumbled with themselves, "I thought they were true... I've been telling myself those facts for years... to... I guess... deal with the fact she wasn't there... but now that she's back... I was wrong. I was so wrong, Panthera...!"

 

And...

 

Chloe... told her. 

 

She told her, everything, everything she glossed over before. From the way Audrey left, to all of today, to the inciting incident. It was just heaps and heaps of awful.

 

Chloe sat seated in front of her, her hands gripping tight and pained with the cat hero's offered own and Juleka felt her own blood begin to slowly steam, then boil, then at a rising pace did they burn with an anger that grew more righteously furious and hatred and rage by the second. No god damn parent does that... NO FUCKING PARENT...

 

But Juleka forced herself to calm, even if it was all barely bubbling at the surface. She had to calm, because Chloe needed her. She needed her there.. So Juleka took in a deep breath and Panthera brought her into just a big sweeping hug.

 

"I'm so sorry that happened, Chlo." Panthera whispered, "I'm so sorry."

 

"I don't think I'll be happy again..." Chloe sniffled.

 

Panthera's eyes lifted. That felt familiar.

 

That familiar sting.

 

And her anger momentarily dissipated because it came to Juleka's realization that this wasn't just realizing your parent was a dick... but Chloe was in grief. Chloe was grieving the woman she thought her mom would've been, and grieving the life she thought she wanted and would get- but would never ever have.

 

"I-If I was- If I was a better daughter- would- would that mean- I'd have to be awful like her? I don't want to be awful again. I don't want to be like her. But... but..."

 

Juleka held Chloe tight. 

 

There was a battle going, but that meant piss to Juleka.

 

Fighting someone, fighting anyone against their will, when they were emotionally compromised, no matter who it was, it wasn't Juleka's favorite thing. Even if it gave her some fleeting pleasure of 'justice'- Juleka found herself feeling awful after. She didn't feel like a hero then, but just a child soldier.

 

And perhaps it was a wrong way of thinking... but to Panthera- Cradling a a person who needed the comfort of a shoulder to cry on, someone to understand, that's when she understood her role as a Hero the best. That's where she Felt like a hero. It didn't mean she was one. No. To others, to herself, a hero in this world meant she beat up Bad Guys.

 

Well maybe she wasn't a hero. Maybe that was Ladybug's job.

 

But she wouldn't leave Chloe. Not unless she was safe. Or at least a bit more collected together it felt like she was more a shamble of limbs right now. She gave Chloe one more squeeze before slowly pulling away. Juleka grimaced as a loud explosion from above pierced into her ears that flattened against her skull. 

 

"Shite-" Panthera hissed. She stared up at that tower and her stomach twisted. This was gonna be a tricky fight. Was she even sure if she'd win? "I gotta get up there."

 

"What?" Chloe's voice cracked, her eyes wide and looking at her like she was crazy. "No! I- did you see my mother!? She's unstoppable! And it's not like a solution is gonna fall out from the sky!"

 

Tink!

 

"Ow!" Panthera squeaked. Something fell out from the sky.

 

The cat hero rubbed her head wincingly as Chloe bent down to pick whatever that little projectile was before standing up straight and finding... a box. A familiar one. With an familiar symbol on it. 

 

"Oh no." Panthera hissed, took the miraculous box from her hands. "Just our luck..."

 

"What is that?" Chloe asked.

 

"...'m going to go and get a miraculous to potentially stop Style Queen with. The bee miraculous..." Ladybug's voice echoed in her mind and Juleka face palmed. Annnnd the girl dropped the box. Great. 

 

I can give it back to her- Juleka initially thought before blanching. No, she wouldn't have dropped it without reason which means she's probably mid fight right now. And just holding it is a risk if I got shot at and we can't let the enemy even have a chance at grabbing a stray miraculous box. What do I do- What do I-

 

"Panthera?" Chloe's voice cut through her thoughts, bringing her out of her fog. Juleka looked down at Chloe and a fear sparked in her. No. No it wasn't wise to- Juleka didn't want to drag Chloe into this- it was dangerous- and- and Chloe wasn't in the right state of mind but...

 

...But who else?

 

Juleka thought hard and took a breath. She doesn't have to fight. That can be her choice. She thought. She can stay out of this if she wants to, she'll just keep the box safe until I come back...  She let out a sigh and turned towards Chloe with a look.

 

“Chloe Bourgeois," Juleka said, she extended her hand out towards Chloe who's eyes widened with surprise. "This... is the Miraculous of the Bee, I’d say what it represents but to be honest with you- I have no clue.” 

 

Chloe's eyes widened and fumbled to take it in her hands, holding it like it was a bomb ticking off. Her eyes were the size of dish plates now and they darted to look down at the box and up and down and up. Her mouth opened to speak but Juleka moved to speak first-

 

"T-This isn't a direct order to be a hero, I just- this is- Whatever you choose, I still need you to keep this safe, dude." Panthera quickly said, patting a hand on her hands. "I mean, an extra hero would do great but, but still, I'm not forcing you to be a hero if you- if you don't want to I mean this is your mom-"

 

"Panthera-" Chloe began. Juleka shook her head, she couldn't over think it, she needed to go.

 

“Trust your instincts, Chloe. And if those instincts tell you to run, you run. Just keep that thing safe.” Panthera said sternly, her smile hard at the girl as she tried to turn and leave quickly.

 

“But-!“

 

“But?” Panthera spun around to her. Her face fell as she saw the look in Chloe's eyes. She was... terrified.

 

"...but... what if I do something wrong.” Chloe whispered, her voice breaking so delicately at that. It wasn't a question to her. It was an honest confession of how she felt. And Juleka could feel it reverberate in her own chest at an even deeper sting.

 

She thought on that. There was never a one hundred percent Chloe would do it perfectly. There was never a one hundred percent Chloe would even win. In fact, the odds as they were, were always seemingly unfair to her. But...

 

“…You might.” Juleka agreed slowly. She gazed softly to her. Her hand came to rest on Chloe's shoulder. “You might get it all wrong and maybe it’ll be terrible, you might be thought of with just scorn and terror. But! But..."

 

She leaned closer towards her. Copper flecked green meeting icy blue in an unbreakable stare whilst her lips slowly drew upwards. A hum brimming across her hair bristling it upwards and letting it sink into Chloe's soul.

 

"Maybe, just maybe, in the infinite cosmos of our reality...” Juleka smiled. “It might just work out”

 

Chloe looked down at her hands, contemplating that with a long, thoughtful stare. The flickering of her eyes capturing every detail of the box before nodding. Juleka inhaled sharp;y but, she muttered a quiet 'alright'.

 

Panthera's claws came to rest upon the heiress's, supporting her, guiding her- and together the two opened the box. Chloe felt her breath hitch as the soft, warm golden glow, soon embraced her.

 

"Hello, my queen." The creature bowed and it felt like light itself melted in her hands. She looked like a little bee... what a darling she was.

 

"Oh hello.." Chloe whispered. "What are you.?"

 

"I, your majesty, am a kwami! My name is Pollen!" The kwami twirled in the air. Chloe's eyes were wide and she let out a loose laugh. She... couldn't believe this... was this how... She looked up to Panthera but she saw the cat hero now leapt up to a metal bar. 

 

"Panthera? Where are you going?" Chloe asked. "What should I do?"

 

"What you do now is your choice, Chloe." Panthera's voice murmured as she began to climb her distance away. She turned back to smile at the blonde. "And you'll fight to be the kind of person you want to be."

 

Chloe watched her back as she left.. And this time, gripping that comb in her hand, she bolted after her. But not to simply follow. Not in Panthera's path. The cat had carved that herself. It was Chloe's time now. And this time she would spread her wings and she would fly higher than anyone ever would.

 

She made her decision. And selfish as it was, Chloe was finally deciding things for herself. And she wasn't falling again.

 

...

 

"BUZZ ON!"

 

It felt like she was smashing through her own body and shattering it, bursting forward to keep running, she felt so fast, she felt so strong. Her lungs were filled with this new sheet of air that felt so light she nearly felt Breathless. Her suit was gold and black- hair curled and run through with black ribbons and streaks- She felt strong like this. She felt.. new.

 

Chloe's blue and gold eyes darted up to the sky as she planted her foot down- instincts took over as she saw that black blur climb higher and higher- and- Her jacket flew back and her wings stretched out- and she flew.

 

"OH HOOOLY FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK"

 

Just cause it happened doesn't mean she meant to DO it! Chloe's body shot forward in there air and she near slammed into a wall like a bug against a car window. Heroism turned out to be a lot clumsier than she anticipated. She felt like a new born deer just learnt how to fly a plane. 

 

Chloe clung to the side of the Eiffel Tower, looking over her shoulder and squeaking at the loudly buzzing thrum of her wings beating behind her. This. Ok. This, this was new, this was new, she was gonna be alright. NnnnNNNoooo she looked down she wasn't going to be alright. How does she get down-

 

"AGh" She stopped flying, and, expectedly, fell on the ground. Ow. Ow ow ow. Ow. That was metal. The metal hurt. That was her tailbone. Ow. But the pain soon numbed away and Chloe shook her head.

 

She looked at the stairs and looked at her goal.

 

"Alright Chloe.." Chloe muttered to herself, trying to cool her nerves, "You are not choosing the stairs today you better figure this out.!"

 

Her wings started up again, obeying her mental commands. Her feet slowly lifted off the ground and she focused on just, hovering there, in the air. She was constantly moving upwards but she forced herself to be a little slower at least as beads of sweat rolled down her face. Okay... now...

 

She went up a little faster and though her heartrate skyrocketed, she felt a bit better. Now how did she go side to side... lean- OH GOD- oh god- ok- No rush- just- her mom potentially killing her heroes- that's all.

 

Chloe fell to her knees again but she still refused to use the stairs.

 

"Fuck you." She flipped the bird at the stairs. That was her drive now. I might be going insane. She considered, before doing her best to fly up. It was a lot of effort to fly and whatever part of her body that was working to get her to fly, she was getting tired. What was her weapon? Right uh-

 

Chloe let herself drop for a moment, her wings stilling and she shot the spinning top out. It wrapped around a beam and she let herself swing upwards- Her breath pitched and she felt herself fly high. Her wings propelled her even higher.

 

She let out a laugh, swinging her top again and using it to catapult herself upward- flinging herself higher and higher to fly- and glide- and she soon felt herself come more, and more connected to the drumming heat in her chest. She felt alive.

 

And then her joy was cut like a snipped chord as a voice dropped her back to reality and she landed hard on her feet.

 

"You're always running away, Ladybug! NOT THIS TIME!"

 

Chloe turned and could see blasts of golden light shoot out from the arena of the queen. And she was suddenly reminded why she was there. A silent... burning feeling.. seemed to come over her. It was strange...  It felt... absolutely raw.

 

Chloe's hands twitched. Suddenly she began to understand why Alix punched Audrey in the face. She was mad. She was suddenly... really mad. And she wanted... Audrey... to know... Her wings stretched, cracking outwards, and suddenly Audrey's voice became nothing but grating... It felt mean.

 

But all Chloe could think of was how much he used to want to be the disgusting woman- Okay. She thought. Her eyes narrowed darkly as the feeling of smoke felt like it was burning holes in her lungs.. Then I'll be mean.

 

And I have just the power to make it hurt.

 

"And predictably, it seems the lower fashion riff raff have fallen to the heels of I, Style Queen! They'll all revel in my power now. I hope you're happy, Hawkmoth."

 

Thud.

 

"Huh?" Style Queen turned, her scepter spinning by her side as she turned to see where that 'thud' came from. The ground cracked where Chloe landed and her head slowly turned up as she witnessed the glitter covered battle field that the tower had become.

 

And there stood Ladybug and Panthera. Ladybug's lashing body holding what looked to be a glue tube- and Panthera just inches away from the glittery shield that covered the deteriorating Adrien- but only- the two heroes had been turned into two glittery statues.

 

"Now now, who's this new pest." Chloe's eyes squeezed shut before looking up with fury at Style Queen's awful smirk. "Another little bug? Are the heroes that unoriginal that they now have two? How ridiculous... utterly-"

 

Chloe's hand squeezed shut as she felt her anger rise up her throat, taking over as Style Queen stepped too close and she reeled her hand back.

 

"HONEY COMB!"

 

"What the-!" Style Queen began- Chloe's hand glowed a searing gold, goops of near translucent mass bubbling and spurting out from her palm in flowing heaps- crystalizing- dripping- and she drove her fist through Style Queen's stomach-

 

Style Queen shrieked with shock, jumping backwards with surprise before shaking it off quickly.

 

"What's this? Some yellow glue diet? Tch! That's original. But I'm still going to— AaGRHh..!" Style Queen lurched forward, and her milky white eyes widened with a mixture of horror and rage as she saw the missing portion of her abdomen not closing.

 

Chloe spat out a wad of honey on the ground as she lifted up her fists- knuckles slathered in honey and a glittery shine, her teeth grinded in a snarl. Style Queen's eyes widened and she screamed with utter rage. 

 

Style Queen burst into a tornado of glitter and Chloe barely dodged out of the way. A beam of light came rushing at her and she barely managed to block it with her goopy hands. Her feet screeched against the floor and she found herself open for a body slam that sent her tumbling.

 

"GAGh!" Chloe shouted. She rolled a couple of feet, her body aching. But she spun around quick to block another blast coming her way. Her wings buzzed with aggravation, and she quickly took flight as another body slam came rushing close.

 

She flew over Style Queen, meeting her in the middle as they clashed in the air. The woman's form breaking out multiple times as Chloe landed multiple hits on her. One. Two. One two. GET. THE FUCK. DOWN.

 

Chloe let out a roar of anger grabbing the akuma and tossing her through the air. Chloe swung her top out, slathering the string with honey and lashing it around Style Queen's body- hurling her body towards her.

 

“YOU HURT PEOPLE!” Chloe screamed.

 

BAM!

 

The two slammed into the cement hard. Style Queen shoved her off, taking her staff and cracking it against Chloe's back. Her wings erupted in pain and Chloe stumbled backwards, she snarled. Eyes biting with tears and anger.

 

“YOU PUSHED THEM AWAY!”

 

She twisted around and using her spinning top she managed to pick up a piece of broken rumble, scraping it across the ground and slamming it into Style Queen’s shoulder which exploded into a cloud of dust and glitter on impact.

 

CRACK!

 

"Where are you you little brat..." Style Queen wheezed, looking around blindly. Chloe watched her from the darkness, her breath labored and heavy.

 

“And it’s not my fault! NOT ANYOENE'S FAULT. It’s YOURS!” Chloe spat, eyes stinging with tears. Perhaps she was reflecting. Perhaps she was venting. But it didn't MATTER. “You made your choice to make people suffer and feel HUMILIATED for no GODDAMN reason besides the fact you FELT like it..! CAUSE IT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD..!”

 

Style Queen’s iris-less eyes widened as the dust cleared, revealing Chloe in her glowing, feral glory pouncing at her. She screeched, her staff slipping from her hands when the woman was sent rolling across the ground as the blonde tackled hard into her.

 

"DO YOU FEEL GOOD NOW!?" Chloe screamed, lifting her fist up to pummel her before getting an eardrum stinging slap across her face.

 

She yelped, sprawling across the ground before immediately clambering to her feet. Her hair fell in messy locks over her sweaty, bruised, glitter caked cheeks. Her golden and blue eyes burned with anger as Audrey stood up and faced her with an annoyed yet pained glare, parts of her glittery form missing but still allowing her to stand.

 

"You're a stupid child." Style Queen's voice radiated with an awful amount of power. She sounded so big. She made Chloe, always feel so small. "Who do you think you're talking to right now?"

 

You? Me? Who fucking knows. She thought. Chloe’s sniffed, wiping away a string of drool from her jaw as the two began to circle around each other, like two wolves. Two alpha bitches. Two monsters.

 

"You have no idea what you're doing, child. How much work I've actually had to go through to be at the top. What I've had to sacrifice. The amount of hurt I've drone myself through. I was knee deep in mud when I started too. Are you really going to blame me for stepping on a few heads?" Style Queen drawled. Chloe glanced at the ground seeing her spinning top.. only to watch Style Queen kick it away.

 

Fuck. She thought, before seeing the staff that was once in the akuma’s hands rolling towards her from it’s time being chucked.

 

"Sure... if it pisses you off." Chloe glared, crushing it with a stomp. Style Queen snarled at her furiously.

 

“You’ll pay for that you little wasp! Why do you keep annoying me!?” Chloe’s eyes narrowed, tucking a piece of lose dark hair behind her ear before she looked up at her mother. Her eyes burning into the sight of her.

 

“So I... can beat you. Prove you and your kind of people wrong...” She growled, dripping with the need of revenge, but it was a hollowed feeling. One that wouldn’t satisfy her. And yet she was still hungry. Still starving for it. Justice. Or malice? It wasn't hers to differentiate right now... so long as she won...

 

“Who are you, girl?” Style Queen asked, a violent glow of a purple butterfly visor appearing over her face. A question for two. Her eyes narrowed... and... she felt herself stall for a moment with thought.

 

“I..." Chloe began slowly.

 

"Can't it wait, Coraline?" "Need? Charlie- I mean Chloe- don't demean me to needing anything." "Cantaloupe- I mean- Chloe did? Huh." “I'm taking her because she's exceptional, Claudette.”

 

The memories were flooding in piece by piece of today. She trailed further backwards... where wounds she didn't realize she forced to close, now bled open and raw, burning with a heat now released and stinging her eyes with tears.

 

"Don't touch, mommy, Kylie. I'm too busy to be distracted by your childish things." "Casserole I don't have time for you." "I'm leaving, Courtney. Stop stretching my pant leg." 

 

"...am Queen Bee.. YOU FUCKING REMEMBER THAT YOU HEAR ME?” The golden hero growled, eyes burning with hatred. “And I swear to god.. I will take you down.. you disgusting... VILE... SHITTY ASS FUCKER..!”

 

Queen Bee lunged forward, letting out a raspy battle cry as Style Queen threw a punch forward and nailed her in the cheek, only for her knuckles to skid forward into the air as the hornet continued to fly in for the sting.

 

"GAaAAAAAAAAARGHHh!"

 

Time felt like it was slowing as Chloe stared at the reflection of her own masked face across her mother’s widening expression and she paused, thinking. 

 

She thought about Panthera's soft, copper flecked eyes. That looked warm and kind. She thought of Ladybug's silvery blue. They looked beyond what a human should be. They weren't human. Ladybug was beyond humanity. Their eyes saw into the hearts of people and reflected of empathy and sympathy..

 

Alix's eyes were blue too. They were huh. Hah- and always somewhat narrowed. Looking uninterested- they used to sparkle bright. Chloe thought and... they still did. Alix's eyes still sparkled bright. She'd been through so much, and so many different things, but they still sparkled. They were electric, but they more felt like the sea. Waves crashing. Ebb and flowing. They'd all die one day but the ocean would outlive any of them. Time would keep going.

 

God she had a lot to say about her didn't she. Chloe could almost laugh at herself. It was near pathetic.. and yet being able to look Alix in the eyes again, and see them squint with her smile, her grin... it was one of the most rewarding things... Chloe had ever earned... Filled with so much life and...

 

And then there was Audrey's. The Bourgeois' all had blue- but- Chloe was told- she had her mother's eyes. She used to take that as a compliment but god what did that mean? Was it the way they were slanted? How their eyelashes curled? 

 

Or was it the way they judged. The way the sneered and looked down on others? Did Chloe have Audrey's eyes? Did she have Style Queen's eyes? That judged others? And yet, were blind? No. Chloe decided. No. She did not have those eyes. She'd rip them out if she did. And there was Style Queen's eyes. Nothing. Just blank. Nothing but the void staring back. Nothing inside that Chloe could see.

 

Her teeth grinded, inhaling cold air that stung her lungs. Her arm reeled back as she grabbed Style Queen by the shoulder and glared. Tears stinging like flames, mixing with gold and azure...

 

I’m done being you.. forever..!

 

“You did what you thought you needed to do. That’s your problem. You don’t get to blame me, and you don’t get to blame anyone for it...” Queen Bee muttered, her honey dripping fist covered in the remains of her mother’s glitter tightened, hardened into a crystalized for across her knuckles. “SO FUCKING LIVE WITH IT!”

 

She knocked the lights right out of Style Queen in one, violent crack across the face. Queen Bee inhaled- kneeling above her unconscious mom and and shaking, shuddering tears dripped down her face as she stifled a wail of anguish and fury.

 

She stood up shakily, dusting herself off or at least what she could of glitter that was splattered all across her outfit.

 

Pollen mentioned something about it...  her powers. And, achily, she so oh so slowly made her way over to the statues of Panthera and Ladybug. Both still locked in an intense battle that Chloe had just ended, quite literally, with her bare hands.

 

Her hands still dripped with a glowing, golden honey that looked both a mixture of real and almost- translucent.

 

Chloe reached out and with her glowing palms- dripping their way onto their bodies- the honey glowed softly- Panthera and Ladybug were broken free from their glittery tombs and Queen Bee watched from the shaken side, as Ladybug brought down that hail of glowing ladybugs and let that cursed little butterfly flutter away.

 

The battle against her mother, at least, the one she fought on top of the Eiffel Tower, was over.

 

And Chloe won. So why didn't she feel... great? Why didn't she feel good? Chloe felt empty, and even with the welts across her skin being fluttered away by the cure, she felt her body and her heart- ache.

 

"Hey Ch- Bee? Are you okay?"

 

"Woah! Is that a new hero!? That's CRAZY!"

 

"Ugh! Where am I?!"

 

"Excuse me, where did you get the bee miraculous, who are you?"

 

Chloe stumbled back, her eyes darting between Panthera- Adrien- Audrey- Ladybug- the beeping so close to her ears- she- she- She followed her instincts. And Chloe flew home.

 

...

 

When Panthera arrived to Chloe's suite- the girl was waiting for her. And her room was a mess.

 

Taking a deep breath in- Panthera's steps were slow and careful as if she was stepping over shards of glass. The shards of glass that once made up Chloe's life, pieces all across the floor. There was tables turned, clothes ripped across the ground, and what remained of Chloe's signature sunglasses- were crushed on the ground into millions of pieces.

 

Chloe didn't face her, just seeming to try and breathe as she stood in the remains of her perfectly ruined suite and trying to breathe. Pollen looked up at the cat hero with a dismayed expression and Panthera just nodded to her, silently and reached out towards Chloe- her hand hovering over her shoulder.

 

"Chloe, you okay?"  She softly asked. Chloe's body locked and she let out a shuddered breath, mixed in with, just an exhausted- swallowed down sob.

 

"No." Chloe replied, her voice a shaken rasp. Her arms wrapped around herself in a tight, quivering hug that dug her nails hard into herself. "No, not at all. My mama doesn't love me. She never has. She never will. I don't know what to do."

 

"I'm sorry to hear that." Panthera murmured, placing her hand down on her shoulder and giving it a squeeze. She looked away, unsure what to say. Chloe bristled, tossing Panthera's hand of and spinning around her wildly with a manic smile.

 

“But you know what! It’s fine right? It’s okay I- I’m happy now, that I know! That I know I mean nothing to her. Another step forward right?” Chloe shouted, voice wobbling. "I'm cutting, I'm cutting, cutting a toxic, toxic influence, right?"

 

“Yes.. That’s right..” Panthera nodded cautiously, approaching her like she was approaching a wild animal.

 

“And-and- like what? What have I lost from this? It’s not like she’s done anything for me before besides releasing me out into the world to spread her horrible jerk germs!” Chloe laughed weakly, hands slowly beginning to snake into her blonde locks as she continued to shake “I’ve done fine without her haven’t I! Me and daddy- We’ve been fine! Hell-“

 

Chloe pulled her hands out of her hair, taking her tie out with it, making her now messy blonde hair to pool over her shoulders as her shaking fingers began to count-

 

“-I made it to my first day of school without her, I made people respect me without her, I made people fear me, I got to high school just fine, I’ve survived every horror fiction act of magic moth terrorism without her batting an eyelash-“ Chloe hiccupped through her tone, looking up at Panthera “-I’ve done a great job without her haven’t I?”

 

“You have- you’ve done an exceptional job-“ 

 

“Yeah- and you know- you know what Panthera? I’m gonna continue! I’m gonna continue cause god knows she cares less and and and AND SHE CAN FUCK OFF JUST FINE! SHE CAN FUCK OFF ON HER OWN LIKE SHE ALWAYS HAS- TO HELL WITH HER!” Chloe screamed, tears falling down her face as her head swiveled off to the doors before her shoulders fell. Chloe's mouth quivered and her head hung low. “She.. can go fuck off the face of the planet..”

 

Chloe looked up tiredly, there was no strength behind her words anymore. No fake cheerfulness with a ‘hey look how far she’s come! It’s so great her life was a goddamn lie.’ A lie she was telling herself. How fantastic it is to know that the one person she wanted to love her the most in her life, couldn’t give less than two shits about her and wouldn’t care if she died on the streets-

 

“God.. Panthera...” Chloe whimpered, eyes wide and brimming with tears “Why doesn’t she want me..?”

 

Chloe fell into Panthera’s arms beginning to sob. It was a long, quiet, messy moment.

 

And eventually Chloe pulled away with her body still shaking and face still red with tears, but she felt herself feeling less numb, her body no longer shaking. She inhaled slowly and nodded with a gulp.

 

"I'm okay, I'm okay now." Chloe whimpered, she sniffled. 

 

Chloe gave a quiet look to Pollen who glanced back at Panthera Noire with a sadder look. Chloe sighed, wincing as she plucked the comb off her head and put it back into the box. Pollen disappeared with a soft glimmer and Chloe walked towards the cat hero, placing it gingerly in her hands.

 

“She doesn’t belong to me. I think I know why that turtle boy and the fox don't show up everyday as you guys. You can take her back now, thanks for everything.” Chloe quietly muttered. Panthera blinked before nodding gratefully, though looking deeply regretful at the system at place.

 

“I’ll give you updates about her when I can and hey, maybe you’ll see each other again.” Panthera smiled, placing it into one of her pockets with a wink. Fat chance but, she could trust Panthera. So hey, why not hope. Panthera began humming to herself as he started to clean up the mess in her room.

 

Chloe's face fell at it all, brushing a hand through her hair. She, felt bad. 

 

“Also uh.. Here, some money.. for.. thanks.” Chloe said, digging for her wallet and handing over some of anything physical she had on hand. “I did say I’d pay you for these.. therapy.. sessions.. I guess, and for dealing with me.”

 

Panthera blinked with surprise as she placed the euros in her hand. Her eyes were wide with shy confusion. She looked like she'd never seen the damn things ever.

 

“Oh damn, First pay check ever.” Panthera chuckled with disbelief. looking delighted but, overly more surprised. She sputtered on, unsure how to take it. “I- I mean- Sick- but- you didn’t need to give me this.”

 

“Wait- ever?" Chloe rose an eyebrow. She shook her head in befuddlement. "What about your hero work?”

 

“What do you mean?" Panthera looked up in confusion, squinting. "I don’t get paid being Panthera.”

 

Chloe blinked. What?

 

“What?”

 

“Neither me or LB gets paid.” Panthera repeated, laughing a little nervously, she scratched the back of her neck a little unsurely. Her eyes squinted at the blonde. “You.. knew that right? Paris knows that?”

 

Chloe just stared. Panthera stared back and let out a quiet 'huh'.

 

"So you didn’t.” She clicked her tongue. She shrugged, pocketing the little bit of money and going back to sweeping some of the trash away. "Oh well, I wouldn't have known I don't check social media.."

 

“Wait so you’ve purposefully, on your own will, purposefully-" Chloe tried to catch her brain up, eyes wide as she circled around the cat her in utter confusion and just, just, how? How? What? "-decided to deal with both me and my shit load of problems and attitude AND all this akuma shit? For free?”

 

“Yeah I was surprised too when I started. It's hefty work. The heroes need a union. It's wild." Panthera shrugged, her tail twitching. "But if we're talking about you- I genuinely enjoy speaking to you, and seeing you grow so, yeah I’ve been doing this for free. Uh, so don't feel pressured to pay me now just uh...”

 

Chloe blinked with surprise, almost muttering under her breath- before She just shook her head and scoffed haughtily. Why even question. 

 

“You’re the weirdest girl I’ve ever met.” Chloe muttered softly. The cat hero let out a bark of laughter. Just genuine delight. Her smile wide and toothy that stretched across her rosey cheeks. She sniffled.

 

“It’s one of my special traits." Panthera simply purred, she sighed with content. Chloe bit her lip.

 

"You don't have to clean up my mess, that's my job..." Chloe mumbled, arms crossing. Panthera quirked an eyebrow up at her.

 

"You mean whoever you hire's job?" Panthera playfully teased.

 

"Which I'll pay." Chloe snarked back. Panthera chuckled.

 

"Alright, fine then, but I'm not sure you should sleep in this mess..." Panthera scratched the back of her neck. She smiled softly at her. "I'll see ya later, Chloe- and- do talk to Marinette? Safe travels.”

 

And Panthera was off again.

 

Talk to Marinette?

 

It was then she heard a knock at the door and her face soured.


...

 

"Go away!"

 

"That was the plan, but no." Marinette said, fumbling with her hands. The door slowly opened and she saw Chloe. The door was barely peaked open, just for her eyes to soak in the girl's appearance, but it looked like her room was a bit in shambles. Chloe glared.

 

"Is anyone else there..?" Chloe voice asked tiredly. Marinette's mouth fell and she shook her head.

 

"Uh, no, not anyone I can see." Marinette shrugged bashfully. Minus the kwami in her bag. But that wasn't Chloe nor Marinette's concern.

 

Chloe glared and opened the door fully. Marinette kept her silent shock seeing the lack of any miraculous on her, but, to the very least, either assumed Chloe had taken it off or Panthera really had chased after her like she said. Marinette wasn't sure why she didn't expect her to but she decided to not think much of it. She'd at least have to check.

 

I mean- she wasn't dumb- she could put two and two that the blonde Panthera scooted away when the bee got dropped, was the mysterious blonde who used said bee-

 

"May I come in?" Marinette asked. Chloe stiffened but she moved out of her way for the fashion designer much to her surprise. She'd never been here before. Not as Marinette. But she was still shocked by the mess.

 

Nothing. No box. Not anything. She reckoned Pollen would motion to her. She looked down to Tikki but she shook her head. Did Chloe actually give it to Panthera? 

 

“I’m sorry. Marinette”

 

“...Huh?” Marinette looked up with surprise at Chloe. The girl glared.

 

"Is that not why you came here? You wanted an apology?"

 

"Er, well, I dunno." Marinette fumbled, she gave a weak smile. Play cool. Play cool. "Ahahah- ahahah- why-"

 

“Well then I’m apologizing to you anyways shut up, I have a lot to say.” Chloe scoffed, shoving past her out to the balcony, slumping against the railing.

 

“Oh.” Marinette mumbled, following after her with a slight look. Wow what a great start to an apology. She thought, before looking up into Chloe’s eyes and staggering at the gentleness in them. Marinette sputtered- "What are you apologizing for?"

 

"Ugh. For everything." Chloe muttered, her hand wiped against her eyes, she looked, so, exhausted. "For everything."

 

"Oh, yeah I see now." Marinette muttered, everything... She felt a rise of uncomfortableness within her. "I see now..."

 

“Look I’m not- begging for forgiveness. I don’t think... I deserve yours for a long while. Especially after the years of shit I’ve put you through. You aren’t obligated to wave all of that way just cause I’m like, trying to stop it.” Chloe said dryly, and apathetically, waving a hand. “But..”

 

Her voice stalled, trying to, collect itself to something less shaken-

 

“..I do beg for your patience with me for just a little longer.. I’m going to do better for everyone, but it’s hard. Harder than I ever imagined.. b-but I’m going to do my best. Okay? I just, wanted to tell you that, at least.” Chloe said as strongly as she could, before taking a deep breath “And.. I’m just, I'm sorry."

 

Marinette felt her mouth fall, looking away painfully. Chloe let out a weak sigh. She seemed to be done now.

 

"Are you gonna go with her?" Chloe asked, looking out into the darkening Paris. Marinette jolted in confusion, Chloe looked up at Marinette slowly, clarifying. "To New York? With... Audrey?"

 

"What do you mean?" Marinette said with genuine surprise, "Why would..."

 

"She adores you." Chloe bit out with an unhidden layer of bitterness, she took a deep breath and tried to calm herself. "Marinette, you're trying to do that, being sympathetic thing, but the fashion world doesn't really... care about that. Audrey chased her dreams when she had the chance and got big. She's giving you that chance and- and- you don't have to care... about me... if it makes... you happy. O-Okay? I won't-"

 

Chloe gulped.

 

"I'm not holding you back. After all, I'm just your bully." Chloe said stiffly. "And that woman..."

 

She paused. She paused for a long moment. 

 

"She's Not my mother. Not in my eyes." Chloe bit out with a pained sneer. She stared at Marinette with a long look before shamefully glancing away, beginning to saunter off further into her room. "It's past eight. You should go see her now, and make your choice."

 

"Like I haven't?"

 

Chloe turned to her with a confused expression. Marinette thrummed her fingers against her knuckles, feeling even more awkward. 

 

"I already talked to her." Marinette said, looking Chloe down in the eye. "I told her I'm not going with her. I have a life in Paris I'm not abandoning. I've got other things I take high priority of and.. well... I'm not her."

 

"Then... wait what did she say?" Chloe sputtered, eyes widening more and more with befuddlement.

 

"Oh she's mad." Marinette said with an awkward shrug. "Said I was making a mistake and when I pressed my choice, she said she'd be staying to continue and pester and convince me until I said yes."

 

"Oh. I see." Chloe said, shifting uncomfortably. Her eyes darted away with thought before returning to her. "Then... why did you come here to see me?"

 

Marinette, wasn't sure. At least currently. Originally she was here to somehow knab the miraculous back- and the fact it wasn't here but she still stuck around... She tried to answer anyways.

 

"I guess I was worried about you." Marinette somewhat said, pushing past Chloe. "That's kinda it."

 

Marinette made her way to leave, hand resting at the door. She looked up where Chloe still stood, staring at the sunset across the Parisian skyline. Chloe didn't look her in the eye and Marinette didn't expect her to.

 

"Uh.. See you at school, Chloe." Marinette said.

 

Chloe's grip tightened but her shoulders relaxes with a tired nod.

 

"See you there, Dupain-Cheng."

 

The door closed and Chloe took in a deep breath, looking at the wreck around her. And, hesitantly, she picked up her phone.

 

"Hey, Kubdel, can I sleep at yours tonight? ....Really? ....Alright, I'll be there.. . .Thank you."

 

...

 

"Sir."

 

"Not now, Nathalie."

 

"Sir." The woman pressed.

 

"Nathalie."

 

"You put Adrien in some grave danger today." She snapped, hands tightening at her sides. "And this isn't the first time either. Perhaps-"

 

"I'm aware." He snarled, he breathed in. "I'm aware. And I want to end this soon. Soon. I have a plan. We just need time."

 

Gabriel chose this path. He forgot that he still needed to succeed, he forgot the strength he had, he wasn't getting blindsided again. 

 

"We just need time..."

 

 

Notes:

As you can tell, I have, ah, changed, a thing or two, about the bee miraculous

I love Venom but because I wanna pull Queen Bee in more, I wanted to give her an easier power to write as Venom is very VERY OP. I hope you still liked it though! I wanted to convey that Honeycomb can do as much damage as you want, but healing is what it's meant to do, giving the user the cross roads of tapping into violence or healing.

I also wanted to convey the idea Chloe was going through the five stages of grief. Though it was in order, I tried to make some moments rooted in those stages. Tell me where you think I planted them! It was fun to write.

 

Also don't explain how Chloe knew how to use Honeycomb when Pollen didn't explain, *waves hands* it's movie magic, pacing broski

Chapter 64: Malediktator

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

When Chloe was small. She had a mother. When Chloe had to be raised, when the world peered down and saw a child that needed to be raised, the dolls in the play house did upon their roles, and raised her. Audrey Bourgeois had to raise her.

 

The Style Queen, as the world raved and jittered, big old Style Queen, had to be a mother for a little girl. And Style Queen would be scolded like a child if she didn't. Like some parent was telling their child not to neglect their toy. So she had to.

 

"There." The woman tsked, pulling her hands back as the small Chloe marveled over her dress. "Now you look, presentable. Ugh don't suck your thumb, you're three, Cassidy. Why do I have to be the one to dress you."

 

"Her name is Chloe, Audrey. And she's Five." Papa gave a toothy, strained smile as he walked in, Mama's eyes unseen as Chloe pulled her thumb out, awkwardly wiping it on her dress, her mama groaned.

 

"Great and now she's got saliva on it-"

 

"Audrey." Papa smiled, tugging his suit fixingly as Chloe looked over her dress again and then the plastic gloves Mama was wearing that she was hurriedly taking off. "Let's talk outside shall we? We must make sure our ride to the gala isn't late after all. Emelie wouldn't want us to be late after all."

 

"...Fine. Of course. The car. Whatever." Chloe looked up seeing Audrey stand and click her way out the door and she stumbled a little after them.

 

"Mommy, can I bring Mr Cuddly?" She asked. She heard the light 'tsk' her mama made when she was about to say something that papa always cut off. And he did. Giving mama a weird look.

 

"Audrey." He said, "Why don't we send little- oh Alice's girl in. I'm pretty sure they're the same age."

 

"Who?"

 

"Emelie's friend. They're staying at the hotel too."

 

"Oh right. That broad. Fine fine."

 

"Mama can I bring Mr Cuddly?" Chloe tried to chase after her, but all she saw was her back.

 

"Don't embarrass yourself, darling." Audrey turned to look at her, pulling those gloves off and tossing them into the trash can with a tensed lip. "You're not a baby anymore. You don't need it."

 

"But he's my friend!" Chloe teared up, taking him and holding him tightly.

 

"Your friend can be Adrikins! And you can be exceptional with him and marry-"

 

"Audrey.." Papa sounded mad so Chloe decided to be quiet. Even when he looked down at her with wide eyes and tried to put on wide smile that was too large and too toothy to feel comforting. "Why of COURSE you can take Mr Cuddly, Chloe Darling. Of course! Anything you want! Aha!"

 

Mama's eyebrows narrowed and they both turned away from her, just backs to her face, and the world closed behind them. Chloe ran up to the door and put her ear to it, like she always did, when all she saw were backs, and she could hear the muffled sounds of her parents talking.

 

"So about the car-"

 

"Audrey, why do you keep wearing those plastic gloves whenever you change- you do it when you bathe her too. Why?" Chloe squints. When did this happen? She didn't remember this ever happening. When was this?

 

And suddenly she's big. And everything around her is small, and so low to the ground, and she can hear the voices even farther and yet ever clearer- and her hand is clawed- and it's holding Mr Cuddly by a thread- and her eyes are gold, and she feels like she's naked and like she's overdressed, and like she's Queen Bee, and like the ground is leaking with tears and gold. A repressed memory. And Chloe realized there was a crack in the door- and suddenly she's unimaginably tiny again, and she's watching her parents talk like they aren't there-

 

"I don't like touching her." The woman crowed. "It's gross! She's all germy. And loud. I can't stand it. It's Ridiculous, utterly ridiculous. Can't we hire someone else to do it?"

 

"She's your daughter! You should be the one doing this! Don't you want to connect with her?"

 

"Well can't we get Jean what's his name to do it? That's his job isn't it? He should do his job. Hmph! Unless I should fire him. Easy!"

 

"No! No no, I can get Jean to do it. Yes yes." Papa fumbled nervously with himself, he looked red in the face, sweaty and clammy. "Of... Of course. Um, we should go check the car now should we."

 

"Yes. The car. Whatever.." And the vision of them is sliding away and the door closes in front of her eyes. Chloe's hand reaching forward but reeling back like it had touched hot metal. The room felt like it was falling. Nothing around her she could grab and feel safe.

 

"Wait-!" Chloe grasped for Mr Cuddly but he unraveled to threads before her. Her hand pulled back and she could remember a dejected child trying to shove the bear far far far in the back of her closet with quiet shame. Chloe's face fell. "I-I still need you."

 

"Hello?" Chloe turned rapidly around from trying to shove Mr Cuddly under her bed to where she heard an unfamiliar voice. The door creaked open, a hand reached out first, and then, creaking it further, a head of softly dark brownish red hair tied messily in a half ponytail popped out from the crack- before- a whole head popped in. A little girl, with dark tan skin, a chipped tooth, a bright green band-aid right across the nose, and the most striking of blue eyes.

 

"Who are you?" Chloe asked.

 

"It's me, Chlo." Chloe blinked and she stared at her. That flush of pink as she loomed over Chloe on the moving, rumbling bus with zombies all around, and her outfit, the one of the fashion show. Her lips curved into the smallest smile. "It's-"

 

 

 

Chloe jolted awake and shot her arms up and away- holding herself awkwardly on the couch with a small, sleeping Alix beside her, softly snoring to her own musings. Was I holding her- Chloe struggled to control her breathing, but she tried, as she did her best to process the yesterday, night, and the moment.

 

The couch was just as Chloe remembered it, though, the blanket draped up to her was notably new from the latest memories of the night in before. Memories of pizza, and quiet weak chuckles, lingering hands, and a humming tv. She looked over at Alix, arm holding herself up resting near her head.

 

"Are you awake?"

 

Chloe didn't actually say this when she woke up, but she thought it when her lips parted and nothing came out. She didn't actually want to wake Alix up. Not when Chloe processed this strange look on Alix's face she made when she was asleep.

 

It was the first time she saw Alix ever, look like this before. Asleep. And she was aware it sounded KINDA CREEPY- but there was a gracefulness to Alix's features as she snored. Though the slight string of drool wasn't the most attractive feature.

 

Chloe stared with wide eyes at the near serene expression of Alix. Sleepovers, they'd had before. But only once in fairy tale, long, long ago, where Chloe didn't take the time to stare wistfully at Alix's resting expression, and count the freckles on her pretty, sunrise dappled cheeks.

 

The heiress sighed, her eyelids felt heavy and the ache in her body followed. There was no questioning of "did yesterday really happen" when it had imprinted itself like a burning brand every time she closed her eyes..

 

Mother and Father. Mommy and Daddy. Mrs. and Mr Bourgeois. A darling family. Chloe had a Family. And their roles were to be played when she was born and they were played well, Chloe saw her life as fine enough.. She supposed though now, wondering upon the actual expressions on their faces if they were of the same satisfied joy, that it really all was just pretend. 

 

Chloe was unloved. Nothing about her childhood felt real anymore. Just a playhouse for toddlers and their toys. I'm a useless girl I've got nothing at all. A voice in her mind whispered. 

 

"-first draft..."

 

Chloe shook her head violently. No. Don't think about her right now.! You can process it later. You can be strong and not think about it. It's no big deal. Maybe you deserved it. Maybe you did. Maybe you fucking suck. Just, don't think about it. But it came back with a striking fury as another thought crossed her and she felt herself bite her knuckle with an all consuming dread. Does daddy even...?

 

"No no no, stop it.." Chloe grumbled to herself, rubbing between her eyes weakly. It all ached in her chest. "Not thinking about that right now. I'm too tired for that. I'm not strong enough for that right now..."

 

"Mmngh..Chloe?" She felt her body physically freeze with shock. She didn't dare even look down until she could hear the shifting of fabric, and her eyes dragged south to see Alix rolling off her side to sleepily stare up at her. Alix's eyes fluttered a lighter wider with recollection. "Oh you're awake."

 

"Mm." Chloe hummed tensely as Alix sat up with a large yawn, scratching her stomach. She looked like some snake unhinging it's jaw, and the morning breath too- bleh- but the way her nose twitched after as she rubbed her face sleepily reminded Chloe more of some cute rabbit. 

 

"Whahtime izzit.." Alix grumbled, her pink fluff of hair looking like some rat's nest. Though Chloe silently noted that she could see Alix's brown roots were beginning to show. The girl lazily looked around from the couch. "Where's my watch..."

 

"On, on the the table." Chloe felt her voice choke up for some reason as Alix nodded lazily and reached away from the table. Chloe wanted to be herself, and try and say something that felt Chloe TM enough for Alix, but it was coming up awkward and estranged. "Right there- there you go. It um. Why do you even..."

 

"Oh it's six thirty... damn we're up early. Whyzzat? Why'dyou wake up so early." Alix grumped, rubbing her face tiredly, rolling over. Chloe lips pursed.

 

"I, don't know. I uh-" She began but looked down with wide eyes as she saw that Alix was meeting her gaze. The wash of tired drowsiness glossing over Alix's gaze, but not alone, with that steely cold chill within those irises. Clearer than any kind of sky. 

 

"Do you think you'll go back?" Alix asked quietly. She didn't need to clarify where. Or why. Just asked, because she wanted to know what they'd do next. What they'd do next, together. Chloe felt the strength in her arm holding her up give- and she laid back next to Alix. Her eyes squinted and her lips curved into a tense line. 

 

"I don't know." Chloe murmured, "But I don't want to. Not right now. It's too big. Too scary. I don't... want to see them."

 

"Not even your dad?" Alix asked, not in some form of guilt or judgement. Just asking. Wondering. Chloe stifled a heavy sigh, bringing her legs in and fidgeting tightly with the fabric on her knee.

 

"I don't. I don't know." Chloe croaked. Her voice unsure as she went on. Her eyes begin to sting with tears, hands shaking. She didn't feel good. She hurt her mom yesterday. Her mama. Her mama hurt her. She didn't like that either. That whole thing, it felt bad. "I- I wanna go home. But suddenly, nothing there feels like home anymore."

 

Her head rested exhausted and bitter on herself, sniffling hard. She felt like she was sinking in an endless ocean. Facing this stuff, just felt awful. But it was then, Chloe was surprised as a hand rested on her shoulder. Looking up hesitantly, her breath hitched seeing Alix lean in a little.

 

"There's always home for you here." Alix quietly murmured, eyes glittering stars in those timeless eyes. Chloe blinked. And god that felt, so perfect to hear, and yet, so far beyond reality that Chloe couldn't believe her ears. Chloe inhaled the air between them, and her eyes squeezed shut, pulling away.

 

"Thank you." Is all she really said. Alix hummed at that, not pushing, and promptly threw her legs off the couch.

 

"Come on!"

 

"Wh-what?" Chloe sputtered, longing immediately for the now missing warmth that radiated beside her. "What are you doing?"

 

"We woke up early we might as well make breakfast." Alix said, hopping her way out and stretching. A few satisfying pops ringing out from her back. She let out a sigh, scratching a hand through her hair with a lazy smile. "Come on. Dad probably went to work already and Jalil sleeps like a bear. The house is pretty much to ourselves."

 

"You don't know how to cook." Chloe snapped lightly, before thinking over it and looking over Alix who was still itching herself sleepily. "Do you?"

 

"Well..." Alix squinted, pausing. She tapped her foot on the ground. "Yeah. Sorta. I mean- So long as I got a recipe. Or well- I mean I memorized a few stuff by heart. But yeah. I guess can cook- decently."

 

"Oh." Chloe said, looking away. She didn't know that. That was something she supposed she'd missed. "Cool. That's cool."

 

"Awwww- Does her majesty not know how to cook? What a suuuurpiiiisseee." Alix sang teasingly, holding her own cheek with her hand innocently despite the shit eating grin. Chloe guffawed, scrambling off the couch to size Alix up with a hasty glare. 

 

"Of course I- well- I've never HAD to!" Chloe buzzed, though, that pun was not lost on her. And the weight that Pollen's bee comb once rested on her head was already feeling little too light, and a little too vacant. Chloe huffed. "I'm RICH and I live in a HOTEL, Alix."

 

"You'll have to learn eventually." Alix snorted, crossing her arms. Her long smirk twitched at the end with amusement. "I'm rich too, you dOrkasaurus."

 

"Dorka- ridiculous- what- what kind of utterly- what?" Chloe squawked. 

 

"Blame Nino." Alix offered. "I was hanging out with him one time and he said that."

 

"Right. Fair. Fine. I should always blame weird vocabulary on Nino. True." Chloe hummed grumpily, crossing her arms and looking away. A strange silence followed, and Chloe glanced down quick with a silent nervousness at the lack of Alix speaking. She was just staring at her. "W-What?"

 

"Your hair's down." Alix said, she let out a little smiley chuckle. "It's been a while since I've seen it like that. You always kept it up in that ponytail- I mean I noticed before, wanted to mention it last night, but we hella crashed. But uh- It's pretty like that. I forgot how curly it is."

 

"Oh-" Chloe's hand reached up to her hair and her eyebrows shot to her hairline in response. She forgot she took her hair down. She, supposed there was some natural curls to it. Some waves. She usually straightened it... But, she felt her face heat up regardless. "Oh! Well I- well- thank you."

 

"You should probably tie it up though."

 

"Whuh-HEY I THOUGHT YOU LIKED IT!" 

 

"I do." Chloe's face heated up by how blunt Alix said that. Alix leaned on her heels lazily, smiling as she tied her own hair up. "But you should never cook with your hair down that's just plain unsafe."

 

Alix sauntered off, humming a little tune as Chloe stared wide eyed after her.

 

"Cook?" She parroted. Alix looked over her shoulder as she waltzed her way into the kitchen and leaned on the counter with a little look.

 

"Breakfast." Alix said as if it was obvious. She grinned, lulling her head to the side with a little look. "If you're so nervous, princess, I'll even hold your hands if you want."

 

"I- Wha-ahah-whAT?" Chloe's eyes bugged out. Alix let out a hearty laugh, her giggles jumping up in between. Chloe's twisted look softened seeing her laugh, and her glare lowered into a more tenser look of her truer anxiousness as Alix smiled and looked at her. 

 

"I mean. I think it'll be fun." Alix tapped her fingers on the table. "Why not I mean- you going anywhere?"

 

'You going anywhere?' Alix had asked. Chloe felt those words, so casual and carefree yet so careful in the decision of kindness, sink into her chest.

 

Alix was inviting her to stay. To eat with her. To learn from her. Alix wanted to share this moment with Chloe. Alix wanted to be the one to help Chloe with something, away from the pain that hurt her. Alix wanted her here. Alix wanted Chloe. And Chloe wanted A-

 

Bee-Beep. Bee-Beep.

 

Chloe felt her body still and her smile slowly fade. It felt it's own funeral bell hearing it. Goose bumps rose up her arm as her eyes forced themself to tear away from Alix- and drag to see her screaming phone.

 

She couldn't see Alix's disappointed look, but she could imagine it as she picked it up.

 

"I need to be back at the hotel." Chloe murmured only.

 

"I know." Alix's voice came. Distant, and almost flat. Like she was trying to sound un-swayed in her emotions. But Chloe could feel the heat rising off of her in quiet waves that only she could hear crashing against the shore.. "I'll give you a ride there if you need it, I guess."

 

"Thank you." Chloe replied back, and that was all. She was not excited to go home. And home, it did not welcome her. 

 

"Ugh finally, Krispy, you're here."

 

"Chloe where have you been!?"

 

Chloe's face weighed heavily underneath her eyes as she stood in the middle of the lobby hearing faceless voices come at her with an intensity that made her feel deaf. Her grip on her overnight bag tightened, as she walked headfirst into hell. And she knew, she wasn't walking out of this unscathed. But at least she had a plan to get out as soon as possible, already changed, and already on her path. But still...

 

God damn it. Chloe thought. She hated this.

 

"You didn't tell me- us you were going anywhere last night-" One voice shouted, his voice thundering and frantic. One of a sweaty creature with red cheeks and wide eyes. "I- we were worried sick!-"

 

"Camila that Marinette Dupain-Cheng had the gall to reject my offer and that is UNACCEPTABLE! And as my daughter, I demand you to convince her or you're FIRED!" That other voice made Chloe's eyes actually flick upwards.

 

Just get in and get out.

Just get in and get out. 

Just get in and get out. 

 

"I have school today." Chloe tried to push past their shrieking voices. Their faces looked scrubbed over with black marked in her eyes, unrecognizable to her heart and she struggled to keep going. "I have to hurry now. Tell Jean- Jean- whatever his last name is- to- to start the car. I need to grab my bag so I'm not late."

 

They followed her up stairs to her room, their voices still shaking on her as she fumbled to unlock her door.

 

"Chloe please don't ignore us sweetie." When did her room look so bland. God, was there really nothing here for her? Chloe just kept making one bitter step in front of the other, trying not to cry as her daddy's voice prickled hard into her chest. "Sweetie... are you mad?"

 

Chloe felt her grab her school bag and freeze at that. Was she mad? She was furious. She was bitter. She was depressed. She was numb. Chloe dropped her overnight bag right back onto the bed with a thud.

 

"It's whatever." She muttered sharply, turning to look at them. And for the first time she did her best to look at them. Because somewhere in Chloe's empty chest she wanted to know what they wanted to fully say. And suddenly they were there again and she looked them in the eyes with an expectant and commanding glare.

 

She straightened up her back, trying to posture herself taller than she was- swearing she learnt it somewhere from Panthera.

 

"What?" Chloe asked thickly, trying to summon every ounce of strength in her voice to challenge them. Audrey just tsked, and Chloe could see from the tilt of her head she was rolling her eyes. That hurt. But Chloe turned to see her dad and he looked, old. He looked old and sad. Almost pathetic she realized. 

 

"I-I'm sorry me and your mother fought yesterday, she, she didn't mean what she said to you! Right? Right sweetie?" Andre tried to reassure without balance. He was turning for support that would never be given. Saying things that would make sense only if the married couple actually had talked.

 

But they clearly didn't as Audrey stared at her nails uninterestedly. Andre seemed to panic at that and looked up at Chloe. She felt herself physically twist in her heart as Chloe could see the physical fear in his eyes.

 

Chloe had dehumanized her father to the point of seeing him more as a tool than a man. Now she was realizing, Audrey too had not only seen him that way, but had shaped him into such with a heel in her hand that was driven into his head. And Chloe had only needed to lean on his back for one of the most powerful figures in Paris to fit like a stepping stool under their shoes and and and-

 

"I didn't want you to leave, sweetie. There has to be something I can- I can fix! I'll get you anything you want so you aren't mad. Just ask! What would you like? A diamond incrusted new phone case? Uh- um, a trip! A trip to New York! With your mother! I can, you were, complaining about that thing! That student council thing! I can fix that up!-"

 

"A trip to New York with me? Puh-lease. As if I'm bringing her. I don't want to. And if you start spoiling the brat as she already is then she'll throw you in the trash. Wouldn't blame her. It's easy..."

 

"Audreykins please.! Can't you just make Chloe happy so she doesn't-"

 

"DO EITHER OF YOU EVEN SEE ME?"

 

It was not a question. It was a DEMAND. And Chloe stared down at them with red, stinging eyes and she felt herself falter with shame. She didn't mean for her emotions to get out of hand. But now, they were too loud to be silenced. She supposed numbly, that she would be late to school. She hoped Ms Bustier wouldn't mind...

 

"What- What did you say?" Andre sputtered weakly. Audrey just let out a hmph as Chloe gripped her bag tight as she felt everything heat up.

 

"I went to Alix's last night." Chloe felt herself growl. She wanted to take a moment to breathe but everything was spilling out. "I slept over cause I didn't want to be in this fucking shit place! Especially with this CUNT!" 

 

"CHLOe!" Andre shrieked with horror as Audrey let out a gasp of rage, glaring down at Chloe whilst the man was shriveling up on the spot. "D-DON'T- You shouldn't- you can't use that language- a-against your mother! You must apologize to her, please!"

 

"YOU LITTLE PINT SIZED CRETIN DARE CALL ME A CUNT!?" Audrey screamed. It hurt. It was terrifying. Chloe could see her eyes under those shades she was so close and they were wide with wild craze. Audrey gritted her teeth and snarled. "Fine! You were clinging to my leg so much, you don't want me now, fine! I'll leave to New York then!"

 

"Have FUN!" Chloe shouted at her, hands shaking beside herself. How would Panthera stay strong here? She wondered. How? How would Queen Bee? But she ended up just insulting the woman, like Chloe would. Her voice cracking. "I feel bad for New YOrk!" 

 

"WHAt!?" Andre spun around with equal fear. "No no no! But! But Chloe! Don't you remember how much you wanted- Audreykins Chloe didn't mean that she loves that you're home I'm sure that I can persuade you to stay there's, there's plenty reasons to stay, please, for this family, Chloe needs you-"

 

"Does she?" Audrey snapped. Chloe blinked. found herself in a strange reaction to that. 'Does She', Audrey had said. She found herself finding two questions from that single phrase. 'Does she need me?' or 'Do you need me?'.

 

And Chloe found herself spinning at that. She looked to her dad. Her sad, lovely, dad. He was pale as a sheet. And he seemed to be questioning it too. He was trying to get Chloe to apologize to Audrey. For what?

 

"Oh Andre... You pathetic man thing." Audrey tutted, she would've sounded pitying if she had the heart to care. She just adjusted her glasses. "It's cause you were the richer option did you know that? I hope you know that. At least Chloe learnt something yesterday. This isn't a family... Hah! It's just a stage show."

 

That felt like shards of glass in Chloe's chest on their own to hear. She glanced to the side and could see her dad's face twisted with shame and numb despair, but as her heart bled, and her whole body ached, she just glared at Audrey with disgust.

 

"You aren't leaving. You don't want to. Not cause of us. It's cause of Marinette." Chloe spat, crossing her arms. Audrey looked down at her, considering her words as Chloe pressed hard at the reality that stung, even though her voice was failing her. "She isn't going with you."

 

"Oh she will." Audrey scoffed, with pride. "That silly little girl has no idea what she's done and lucky for her, I see her as a worthy investment I'm willing to be patient for. But if she decides to waste away her life, especially for Agreste of all things- ugh- then that's her mistake. Not mine! Tch."

 

"Oh god.." Andre seemed to sob. His head was in his hands now and his defeated look made something in Chloe's heart break at the sight. "What did I do wrong...? Tell me so I can fix it..."

 

"You can't fix anything that isn't broken." Audrey huffed, tossing her bobbed hair a little. She looked down on him. "This little dollhouse was just never meant to come together in the first place."

 

What was Chloe to them, she wondered, as she stared at this sorry sight. Audrey wasn't divorcing Andre any time soon for even the fraction of power it gave her, political or not. Audrey held Andre in the palm of her hand and squeezed and caused him to bleed whenever it made her feel good and Strong. And Andre was too scared to divorce Audrey, at the loss that would bring him.

 

Her father tried to defend Chloe during the show. What caused him to do that then? Had he finally snapped? Or was that only a fluke? He doesn't love you enough to change. A voice whispered in her mind. He depends on her more than he cares about you.

 

Chloe just pursed her lips. She needed to get to school she numbly thought. She was gonna be late and she didn't want to force Sabrina to work for her anymore...

 

"I'll be going now."

 

"Thank god." Audrey's voice stung into her ear like a buzzing wasp. "Your complaining was getting annoying, Cassandra. Utterly annoying. And remember, be a good pet and give a good word in to Marinette for me."

 

"In your dreams, you fucking bitch..." She could imagine with all the strength in her mind Alix or Panthera saying that. To breathe out the words she didn't have the strength saying. But they weren't here right now. 

 

"Whatever." Chloe hissed, as Audrey strutted away. Chloe began to follow after her with quickened step. Was it to truly follow her? To stare at that back again? Or was it just to quicken her way out of that cursed hotel- Chloe didn't know.

 

She didn't know in that moment. Even though every bone in her was telling her to hate the woman she beat up yesterday with a blind fury. She didn't know if she could answer that question this early. She didn't know.

 

"Chloe, darling."

 

It was the most saddest, distant voice Chloe had ever heard. Audrey didn't turn for him, and there would be nothing to see if she turned around now, but she still did, looking at her dad, and could only process the air pushing from his lungs in her ears.

 

"Is this place, does this place upset you so much?" The voice rasped so delicately. Shaking. "What do I change? What do I give you? So you're no longer upset. Audrey. What do I give you? What do I give you two. How do I do it. What do I do?"

 

"That's just it, this we can't fix..." Wasn't that right? Chloe's shoulders fell, trying not to look at him like that.. it was degrading. "Nothing in this family is real..."

 

"But I-" Andre began. Chloe did her best to walk away.

 

"There's nothing in the world you can give me." Chloe said, her voice drifting far as her grip on her bag tightened. But she was lying. There was something he could give her. But Chloe knew to herself, that that could never be true. Because your father doesn't love you. "I'm going to school now. Bye."

 

"Wait-!"

 

And the door shut behind her. 

 

...

 

You dumb... dumb... fat.. stupid.. you stupid fucking man... boy... child...! Andre sobbed in the middle of the room of his daughter- his daughter, his finest, most proudest creation, like a baby, face in his hands as he struggled to gasp up his weeping breaths.

 

Twice did someone knock, thrice did he tell them to leave him alone. He was supposed to be a professional figure, but look at him... look aT HIM..! He'd only continue to weep, struggling to stand. The summer of your life... it's over... it's fucking over. You old sad man look at you..! Nobody wants you... you nobody. Your life is over. Your life is over and you're nothing...!

 

He held himself, rocking. Could never be an artist. Could never be a dumb- FILMmaker... you could never make anything good... they said you had to be a successful man you became one- look at you- you're NOTHING- who are your FRIENDS who stupid FUCK!? Andre asked himself in despair, banging his fists against his head, he sniffled. They like you cause you've got power and you're dumb...

 

He couldn't make anything as a film maker... no one liked his films... they all called them trash and pathetic. His creations, his life dreams, the things he treated with the most care and delicacy; were seen as nothing... but... they weren't his only creation were they...

 

Andre looked up, lostly, and stumbled to Chloe's bed with a drained look in his face. 

 

It was a bed for a princess. His princess. His baby. She would lay on here, holding her little stuffies- her friends she'd call them- and she would ask where her mother was, and every night for years Andre would reply that she would be home soon...

 

There was nothing else in this princess tower. It was lifeless. His daughter was living a more fulfilling life than the riches, than the life he built up to have so he could provide to her- the spoils he gave her became something wrong apparently- and she adventured to somewhere far from where he could reach for her- His creation, the best thing that ever came out of his and Audrey's marriage, his Chloe-

 

"You were supposed to be a good man..! You suck! You suck...! You can't even make your family happy...!" Andre asked himself, sniffling. "You're not allowed to cry about this... its your job as a man to fix stuff... be good at stuff..."

 

He sunk onto the bed, sitting down. Andre's head hung between his shoulders and gazed darkly at his mayor sash and gulped.

 

"What am I doing wrong...?" The mayor questioned weakly to the emptiness of the room. Staring out into the nothingness of the carcass of his life. "I did what I was supposed to... that's.... that's not fair."

 

Andre sniffled, wiping his nose with his sleeve, when the voice whispered a dark warmth into his ear that lulled his mind numb with a careful whisper of oozing black nothingness in his chest. And the tone of the voice, was pitiful, and beckoning.

 

"It's not fair... isn't it. A father trying his best to raise a brat... a husband trying to appeal his ungrateful wife... and a leader trying to control a city he cannot control..."

 

Andre reeled back with fear and shock. Ripping from the tendrils wrapping around his mind like slithering vines. The mayor felt his heart racing with terror, eyes darting around but there was no one there. What- who-

 

"Who's there!?" He shouted, looking down and near screaming upon seeing his sash now blackened with an inky void of purple. Andre realized, and his stomach dropped. "No... NO YOU ARE- I mustn't!"

 

"But you want to hear me... don't you. And you will... because my offering is something you can't refuse, Malediktator. Not when I will give you the power to make anything a reality... anything you want." Andre could feel his resistance slip. He supposed if the heroes were going to defeat him anyways... but if they didn't...

 

"What do you mean...?" He croaked.

 

"It's exactly what it sounds like." Hawkmoth's creeping voice made simply. "A man in power like you should have the actual power you need. And you'll be able to provide and reach every expectation you desire... Anything you declare will happen."

 

"I... don't... believe you." Andre tried his best, he had to be a good man, a good mayor, he couldn't, he wouldn't-

 

"Really now? Even if it'll fix your marriage?" Hawkmoth hummed, and Andre could feel his heart sink on it's own. "Your relationship with your daughter? You can give her Anything she desires. You can change anyone who shouldn't be how you want them to be... you will have the control you've finally desired. The life you were PROMISED... the one you could've had..."

 

The life he was promised... what he could've... should've had... the one he can provide...

 

"By the power vested in me," The mayor muttered, the black smoke swallowing him whole, snuffing Andre out like a light. "I shall prevail as Malediktator!"

 

...

 

When Chloe arrived to school, Juleka and the others- well- they were expecting a wreck. And they got one. But the eerily quietness to Chloe's appearance, plus her lateness, didn't bode well to what Alix had said when she came to class.

 

"Her parents wanted her home..." Alix had muttered with quiet shame, face hid beneath her wall of hair and a shadowed over hat. "Demanding really..."

 

Chloe slumped in her chair and didn't speak when Sabrina tried to nudge her a little and probe a response from the mayor's daughter. Juleka sat at the back with her normal amounts of silent worry, though especially so did the tension build beneath her skin to know what happened so she could somehow help- But Chloe just numbed it all out, the look in her eyes dull and distant.

 

Juleka had never seen Alix, Sabrina, Adrien, and Ms Bustier look so miserable like this. And Juleka wondered if she looked the same. At some point, it boiled over for Juleka, and as they worked silently in a study period of class (a transparently clear action of trying to give Chloe some time, curtesy of Ms Bustier), she turned to her girlfriend.

 

"I'm worried." Juleka tapped the table to catch her attention and signed to Rose with a look of anxiousness in her eyes. Rose glanced up at her, thinking, and setting down her pen she signed back quick.

 

"It's C-h-l-o-e, right? She spelt out with a worried look as well. Juleka shallowly nodded and Rose pursed her lips at that. Rose wasn't the biggest fan of them being friends. But she wasn't against it either. Though, Juleka understood the former reason why.

 

It was still very true that Chloe wasn't the nicest during the earliest part of the year, and for some reason- Rose did not take prisoners when it came to people who hurt Juleka, which was a fact that Juleka was trying to get more and more used to on the prospects that Rose loved Juleka enough to distrust another person- but also, Rose was still her optimistic self, and Juleka didn't know another person like Rose.

 

"You're a good friend, Jules." Rose had decided to whisper then, leaning to Juleka's hear, she squeezed her hand. "Don't worry about me, if you want to go talk to her during lunch, I think you should."

 

"I love you." Juleka replied, as if that was a correct response. But it was what Juleka wanted to say most to the girl, and it still made Rose let out at the softest chuckle.

 

"I love you too, nightshade." Rose smiled a little, their sad gazes turning back to the class. But they all knew, that no one was truly paying attention.

 

At least today couldn't get worse...Ok so maybe it did. But Juleka was in the bathroom then because the sink was jamming. Lucky her. Unlike-

 

...

 

Chloe held herself tight on the stair steps of the Dupont Courtyard. Alix and Sabrina sitting a step close by and Adrien in her comfortable sight line. She felt empty in her chest. The morning still a fresh sting in her heart.

 

She felt as though nothing could get better. Alix was fiddling with the chain of her watch when a blur of blue slammed into the middle of the black top, and Sabrina was in the middle of a scream when a cloud of dust hit them.

 

"WHAT THE-!" Chloe began, her heart racing with panic. She fell hard against Alix who braced her weight, grasping Sabrina as well as she squinted through the dust. What fucking hit the school?! A meteor!?

 

"GOD THIS BITES! I SHOULD'VE WORN GOGGLES!" Alix screamed. Chloe peaked an eye open with fear, unsure what'd she see as the dust cleared.

 

Adrien helped her back to her feet as they stared upwards. And when Chloe saw, her stomach fully dropped. And she felt like she was going to throw up with fear.

 

"Fuck.!"

 

"By the power invested in me..." Her father said, adorned in a Napoleon Bonafuck looking blue suit and cowl, raised up a glowing hand. "...I declare this school... A DEMOLITION SITE!"

 

"CHLOE RUN!" Alix's voice snarling in her ear came first and the power in her legs to run backwards- to run away- carried her a few paces as her father's cackling came to become louder than the thumping in her ears. Chloe couldn't process anything she just took the command and did it.

 

"AGh!" Chloe tripped and fell onto the ground hard. Her eyes squeezed tight as a ray of golden light flashed behind her and when it faded- she could hear a roar of chaos. Chloe achily sat up and stared distraught as the courtyard's inhabitants convulsed and shook, before looking at the school with wild eyes.

 

"Come on, students, let's wreck this place!" Mr Damocles shouted. Chloe's mouth fell with horror as, like a swarm of bees, the students and teachers screamed and roared. They all began throwing things around, kicking doors out of their hinges, throwing furniture down from the second floor. Chaos reigned to destroy the school. 

 

"Alix-! Adrien-! Sabrina-!" Chloe began, trying to reason, but they too were under the spell. Only crashing bricks through windows in response. Chloe's jaw fell, her heart racing as she tried to crawl backwards when she looked up with terror- hearing a thud thud thud.

 

Looming over her, her akumatized father.

 

"Hello, Chloe-darling!" Chloe flinched at his voice, grimacing in response. She wished she could stand, to size him up, but staring at this looming figure that used to be her dad, all she felt was shame and guilt. "“Come with Malediktator. I'm here to show you the most wonderous of things!"

 

"No..! NO no.. get away..!" Chloe hissed.

 

"Get away? Why we've been looking EVERYWHERE for you..!" She caused this one didn't she. She's a terrible daughter, she felt. She was the worst. What has she done. She shouldn't have said anything- She should've just- just-! Wait.

 

"W-We?" Chloe croaked, blinking wide. And that's when she realized there was a pair of arms lovingly wrapped around her dad's shoulders and it's owner jumped off of the akuma's back, sauntering lazily off with a lovesick looking smile that perked up even wider.

 

"MY CHLOEKINS~!" Audrey sang with an excited squeal, hands clasping at her chest upon seeing Chloe. And Chloe's stomach dropped..

 

She could see Audrey's eyes now, at how close they were, Audrey had nearly tackled Chloe into a hug- and her smile was far too wide and eyes far too blank. Dulled. "Oh there you are my Chloe! I was so worried about you! But your dear father assured me we'd find you soon enough and here you are!"

 

"What... what the..." Chloe rasped, stepping backwards with, with, it felt, it felt, wrong- its everything she'd ever wanted, she's being- She's being.. what was this? Why was her arms wrapped around her like this- was this- was this a hug- this was wrong- and something in Chloe's being wanted it more than anything but every part of her was screaming NO.

 

No no NO...

 

"No... I don't...!" Chloe began shakily, as her vision blurred as chaos reigned around her. Mind spinning uncontrollably as the blood pounded in her ears. Malediktator loomed over her with a confused look written across his blue face. In the same confusion a child would make, not understanding the emotions of someone else.

 

“Why are you crying?" He asked, tilting his head at her tears. When did those get there- oh wow- she really was crying, crying like some baby. She felt, humiliated, she felt pathetic, what, why was she like this- "I'm making things exactly how you wanted them to be!"

 

"I don't want this. I just want everything to be okay..." Chloe whimpered. Malediktator's face fell, almost heartbroken, but then it twisted with something more frustrated and enraged.

 

"But isn’t this what you wanted? I was supposed to fix everything! What do you want me to do?! I can make ANYTHING happen just TELL ME!” Chloe near shrieked as Malediktator stomped closer to her, sending her stumbling back a few steps.

 

His threatening posture looming over her as her heart pounded with fear. Audrey's arms outstretched. Everyone's wild abandon more important than her. She was scared- She was scared- She was-

 

Chloe felt her breath leave her lungs as a black blur slammed down from above, roaring with fury and sending Malediktator flying backwards and crashing into the black top hard enough to crumble the cement beneath his body.

 

"AAaGGHGHhh!"

 

"Sweetiepie!" Audrey cried, rushing towards his body. She sounded so worried. It was almost violating to hear it in her tone. It was warped. It was wrong. Chloe's surroundings were blurred as she stared, before the black blur dropped in front of her.

 

"Hey! Not to bring up the law- its not the cat's meow to me- but I don't think you have a demolition permit for this school!" Panthera grinned from ear to ear, tossing her staff over her shoulder with a chuff. She looked over her shoulder as Chloe. She blocked the sun from her eyes, like an eclipsing moon, and reached out a hand. "You alright?"

 

Chloe stared, her eyes wide and her hands shaking uncontrollably- but summoning herself, she did her best to focus. The outlined golden glow around Panthera, it didn't blind her, in fact, Chloe would say she was still covered in the looming shadow of someone larger than life leaning over her. But the quiet tenseness in Panthera's voice that fought to be gentle, that didn't demand joy, but just a worried look of compassion-

 

"I..." Chloe gripped her hand and was pulled to her feet, her eyes adverted away with a heaviness in her heart weighing down on her. She felt ashamed. But she tried her best to look at Panthera in the eyes as she spoke. "No... I'm not..."

 

Panthera gazed down at her carefully, one ear twitching above her head.

 

"I'll get you to safety then." Panthera said, her voice was soft yet steely and Chloe nodded quietly, whispering a quiet- 'thanks Panthera,' which made Panthera smile a little.

 

"HEY!" The cat hero's ear twitched as she slowly rolled her head over again, eyes narrowing to see Malediktator dizzily pulling himself from the rubble. His imprinted hole in the ground crumbling beneath his feet as he tried to shake himself off. "DON'T YOU DARE GO ANYWHERE WITH MY DAUGHTER! AND IF YOU TRY! I'LL FIND YOU! THIS IS MY CITY!"

 

"Paris is our city! It belongs to everyone!"

 

Chloe yelped, stumbling back a little seeing Ladybug drop down next to Panthera with an award winning smile. Panthera spun her staff in front of her, muscles tensing as her teeth pulled into a smile that at first looked amused, but then, Chloe could see it's curved- barely hidden snarl attached. And standing right behind them, Chloe was catered to a private movie of the heroes, that only she could see- as their voices dropped from a heroic attitude, to a methodical carefulness-

 

"We need to get Chloe to safety."

 

"Agreed. Also I was taking a piss before this, what's this guy's power?"

 

"He can make a magic law, but he can only cast it by saying 'by the power invested in me' first." Ladybug said, her ribbons flicking. She glared a little. "Also ew I didn't need to know that, kitty."

 

"Eh." Panthera squeezed her hands against her staff. Chloe was hardly able to process, just holding herself and trying to look smaller. Chloe didn't get to fight with them. Not like those two other heroes.

 

She was alone then. She knew, that she only became Queen Bee because there was no one else. She wondered if she'd ever be her again. Would she ever get the chance? Was she ever worthy? Chloe thought on that hard before Malediktator let out an enraged roar.

 

"By the power vested in me... I DECLARE YOUR MIRACULOUSES ARE MY PROPERTY!" Malediktator's fingers glowed a golden ray, as two golden orbs floated at the tips that he flung through the air.

 

"GET BACK!" Ladybug snarled, grabbing the plank of a fallen bench and flinging it upwards. Chloe shouted with fear before Panthera jumped upwards and cracked it with her staff. It exploded on impact, sending what felt like hundreds of tiny wood chips and pieces of scrapped metal flying forward. The orbs danced through them but it sent Malediktator fumbling to dodge.

 

Chloe nearly screamed as an arm wrapped around her before she looked up and saw Panthera looking down reassuringly at her and jumping upwards. And yet, as safe as being in her arms felt, being jumped around in the cat hero's arms felt a little emptier now. Now that Chloe knew how to truly fly. But still- strong woman arms would do-

 

Panthera flipped through the air quickly- dodging the orbs before it hit the side of the wall, exploding on impact like a pile of glitter. Chloe could see the blur of Ladybug off further, trying to send a few more pieces of bricks at the mayor- before Panthera's tail lashed and she jumped upwards, flying high above the school before landing on the roof top and ducked hard behind the wall. 

 

"Oof!" Panthera huffed, letting Chloe go in her arms. "Nice landing don't you think?"

 

"I'll say." Chloe replied dryly. They hesitantly looked over the corner, Chloe's heart racing as she saw her akumatized dad duke it out with Ladybug. Trading blows and throwing debris at each other.

 

"Can I make fun of this?" Panthera asked. Chloe blinked out of her stupor, looking up at her.

 

"Wha- uh, sure, go ahead." Chloe answered stiffly. Panthera took in a deep breath, her hair bristling in the wind before she let out a tilted sigh. Her emerald eyes, glistening, opened wide as her words- all velvet and smoke- came out from her lips in one, poetic, sentence.

 

"He looks like a blue condom grew legs." Panthera deadpanned. Chloe choked. She had no idea how to react but it made her panic slow down a little.

 

She looked over the corner a little once more. She could see an explosion of dust hit Malediktator much to his surprise and anger. When the dust cleared, there was no red hero in sight, to which the akuma noticed (or didn't notice) and responded with further rage.

 

"What about-"

 

"The akuma has to be in his sash."

 

Ladybug had, at some point, dropped down next to them, and Chloe held in her squeak. Seriously for a bright red hero how did she sneak up on people. Same went for Panthera- that's a whole leather bitch waltzing around paris in broad daylight, seriously, what the heck?

 

Panthera just hummed in response, smiling.

 

"Then I'd say we do what French do best, partner!" Panthera exclaimed jokingly, "Let's guillo-"

 

"Panthera!" Ladybug hissed, pointing dully at Chloe. Panthera clicked her tongue a little awkwardly at that, her mind seeming to reboot before the cat hero looked at Chloe apologetically, her ears lowering.

 

"-Sorry, Chloe." Panthera said, at least looking a little shameful. Chloe sighed. She wasn't gonna lie; she really wanted to laugh. The cat hero tried again, "Lets...  impeach him and declare him powerless?"

 

Ladybug sighed, "That's better-"

 

"The guillotine was funnier." Chloe deadpanned.

 

"Unbelievable." Ladybug face palmed and Panthera held up a hand for Chloe to high five. The blonde even found herself lightly giggling. The cat hero had managed to somehow make the girl smile. Chloe was grateful.. Ladybug sighed. "Okay- new plan. Panthera I want you to stall him. Keep him from following us as I go hide Chloe."

 

Panthera's ears lowered, but she hid any furrowed eyebrows she may have had.

 

"Okay," She said carefully, her tail lashing. There was a line of thought going through those emerald eyes but Panthera spoke nothing of it. "How about Lucky Charm? You think that'll give us a good hint?"

 

"Lucky charm.." Ladybug whispered into her yoyo. Chloe had never seen such magic so up close before, it made her eyes widen, and she felt like she was even more fascinated with it now than she was before- now that she too had gotten a taste of being what a miraculous holder was. It was- well- miraculous. She watched as it glowed a soft pinkish red, before appearing on top of it- crafting together molecule by molecule was...

 

"An abacus? What am I supposed to do with this?" Ladybug wondered out loud, looking at it up and down. Chloe's stomach dropped. Oh so we're doomed. The romanization of the miraculous magic died there.

 

"THATS what those are called??" Panthera sputtered with wide and aghast eyes. Chloe had no idea what this thing was. It was like some, weird, bead, counter, thingy thing. Chloe just squinted at it. Yeah no clue what that was. Def not important. Panthera shook her head. "Partner what do you need right now."

 

"I think... I'll need more time to think! Panthera you-!" Ladybug paused and nodded to herself. "Yes, you go distract Malediktator. Same plan as before. I'll take Chloe to safety. And we'll meet back up together. Alright?"

 

"...You've got it, partner." Panthera gave a steely smile, gripping her staff hard and beginning to lift herself back over the roof. Chloe's face paled.

 

"Wait- wait what? But Panthera you'll-"

 

"Not if I dodge!" Panthera cut her off quick, she looked at her, and Chloe could see the tense toothy grin on her face. Her eyes, were thin. "Don't worry. Ladybug will get you somewhere safe."

 

"But I'm not worried about-" Chloe began, before Panthera dropped herself over the edge. Her heart was panicking. "Panthera!"

 

She shouldn't have yelled- She shouldn't have yelled- She shouldn't have yelled- She shouldn't have yelled- She shouldn't have yelled- She shouldn't have yelled- Malediktator swerved around as Panthera dropped from above. Maybe he would've been caught off guard if she hadn't said anything- maybe not- but He was charging a golden orb and she looked too determined-

 

Her hero was gonna- was gonna- and it was all her fault- Panthera did all this shit for her and now Chloe-what kind of hero was Chloe- she always made things worse- she always made things worse-

 

"PaNTHERA!" Chloe shouted, when an arm scooped around her waist. A red arm. Her eyes widened. "Wa-Wait no- no no wait- my dad's gonna-!"

 

They were launched through the air. Chloe didn't hold back her scream this time. It'd been so long since she was man handled by the red hero she forgot what it felt like. She didn't feel like she was soaring.

 

This was yanking. This was a dragging motion. Chloe could be dropped from the air. And suddenly a human's fear of height's returned and Chloe realized why Panthera always hugged the people she carried- so they couldn't see the ground-

 

"She'll be fine!" Ladybug sounded too confident towards her. Too assure. But Chloe wasn't paying attention to her. She was beginning to writhe and shove. "I trust her she'll be fine! Wh- Stop struggling, Chloe! Chloe! QUEEN BEE!"

 

Chloe's face fell as she stopped her thrashing but it was then some part of her leg wrapped around Ladybug's wire and she accidentally tugged- sending them stopping in place- and crashing Downwards. 

 

"FUCK!" Chloe screamed, but Ladybug immediately grabbed onto her and they went crash landing hard onto the roof of a building. Chloe's eyes were squeezed shut as she felt her body jostle hard as Ladybug took the brunt of the rougher impact before skidding to a halt. She opened her eyes uneasily, and they were somewhere far across Paris.

 

"WHY DID YOU DO THAT!?" Ladybug squawked, suddenly grabbing her attention. Chloe felt the hero shake her. It was, weird to look at. Ladybug's hair was, standing on end, she didn't look heroic at all she was just a mess. Chloe scowled hard then-

 

"I was trying to turn us around to go save your DOOMED PARTNER, uh HELLO???" Chloe retorted sharply. But it was then her voice failed her, cracking. Her hands began to shake. "Panthera... she she she..."

 

"She's fine. She's just fighting an akuma. She can take anything." Ladybug pressed. It was her enduring faith that felt painful for Chloe to hear. Cause some part of her felt ashamed she didn't believe it.

 

She felt like she wasn't believing in Panthera which made her feel awful, and yet her fears of abandoning her were all consuming. Abandoning the school. Were they going to be alright? Were they going to be okay? What about Sabrina? What about Adrien? What about Alix?

 

"-Chloe!"

 

"I GET IT! I KNOW!" Chloe panicked. Ladybug blinked widely and confusedly at her. Chloe combed her fingers through her messy, un-brushed hair manically, shaking. "I know! I know, I get it! I- I- I- I know! I know you probably hate me! You do! I know you do!"

 

"Chloe..." Ladybug began slowly. But Chloe didn't hear her. Not over the spiraling she was going through that filled her lungs with cold stinging air and her heart full of an aching, terrified poison.

 

"No one- no one likes me here. Mommy and daddy don't fucking love me. They don't fucking love me. I'm useless. I'm useless..! Why- how could- anyone- I've got no where to go, I can't go anywhere, I've got no where to go...!" Chloe blabbered with fear, her eyes spinning as the world became nothing but a wet blur and she felt hot tears fall down her face like molten lava.

 

Her lips quivered as she fell to her knees. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't breathe. All of yesterday and all of day was collapsing onto her. Nothing was processing in her mind but a single sentence:

 

I'm a useless girl I've got nothing at all. I'm a useless girl I've got nothing at all. I'm a useless girl I've got nothing at all. I'm a useless girl I've got nothing at all-

 

"Sorry Chloe!"

 

Smack!

 

Chloe blinked. She didn't even process the slap. Only the quick sound that suddenly cracked through her ears, the blooming pain in her cheek, and the fact her face was tilted a new direction. Chloe stared, hand reaching up to her cheek, and then she glared, spinning to Ladybug-

 

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!" She shrieked, yelping as Ladybug grabbed her by the shoulders. Chloe got a good look of Ladybug's half cringed, half determined, and half conflicted look, before aggressively shaking her. "WHAHAUGUGHHuguUGGUHAHhAHGhhh!?"

 

"Don't FOCUS on that right now! There's time for that LATER! You'll get to that LATER!" Chloe felt herself come to a dizzy stop, her head spinning as she tried to focus on the three- four Ladybugs wobbling in front of her vision. She shook her head, staring at her with a clearer gaze as Ladybug's grip tightened. "I need you here now, Chloe. I need you here now... Queen bee..!"

 

Chloe stared, blinking wide before shaking her head.

 

"You don't mean that." Chloe said thickly, sniffing. Ladybug's eyes widened in confusion and Chloe waved a hand at her, teeth curving into her lip. "I know you don't like me. No one in this city likes me. It'd be hard to reckon anyone in the world would be able to..."

 

"What about.. Sabrina?" Ladybug asked awkwardly. "That, that friend of yours? And oh! Adrien! And uhh..."

 

"They all could fake it if they want to. I've done some shit stuff to them." Chloe mumbled, her eyes grew half lidded. "Just because I apologized to them and tried to make it up to them doesn't mean they forgive me or like me... same applies to my classmates... they've all got their piles of complaints with me especially..." 

 

She sighed, rubbing her eyes weakly.

 

"Just, just go, Ladybug." Chloe mumbled, her heart sinking to her stomach. She rubbed her cheek as one thought repeated in her mind. You're just like your mother, you're just like your mother. Her hands shook beside her. "I know you're sick of me, for making all these problems. So just, leave me, so you can fix it all over again... like how you and Panthera always do... and don't pull that sort of, of, 'you were Queen Bee, Chloe'- I know that was a mistake... And all I did was just hurt more... I don't, I don't have a purpose beyond that. Do I..."

 

Ladybug stood there. With an unreadable expression on her face. Chloe stood there, with both shame and embarrassment on her side. She felt awful, and despaired. She felt overdramatic and unworthy to be here in this, demigod's presence. 

 

And, Ladybug sucked in an awkward breath.

 

"Everyone... does have a purpose." Ladybug began, her voice so uncharacteristically gentle and yet so thick with a serious tension that it made Chloe look up. Ladybug's eyes were silvery blue and they almost seemed to glow as she spoke. "I'm the planner. I'm the leader. I clean up every mess. I make the decisions and I am the face of all of our mistakes for Paris to see."

 

Oh wow that sounds like it sucks. I probably shouldn't say that out loud though.

 

"That sounds like it sucks." God damn it.

 

"Hah.! It has its exploits." Ladybug said shortly. Her earrings were beeping, but she ignored them to talk to Chloe. "Gosh- I'm not good at the pep talks, but, you do have a purpose Chloe. They're beyond your mom's. My mom has a purpose in something else than I do. We're similar people, and we share similar interests, but, we're not on the same path either."

 

She looked to her with a determined expression.

 

"You can fix your own messes, if that's what you want. You, too, can serve a purpose, but you have to want to. And I think you do." Ladybug said clearly, eyebrows furrowing as she held herself strong. Chloe didn't think Ladybug was taller than her, but it did feel like she was looming. Like some Greek statue staring down. "Am I wrong?"

 

"No.. you're not wrong. I wanna do good. I wanna be good. I try..." Chloe murmured quietly. Ladybug nodded to herself.

 

"Then stop pretending that you're not the hero that you're trying your damnest to be." Ladybug said thickly. "The Ladybug and Cat miraculous weren't given to me and Panthera because we were some magical chosen ones. We just so happened to be at the right place at the right times. And we took what we had, alone, and we saved a city. And so did you. You did something. You made an improvement and you fought hard for that..!"

 

Ladybug's voice rose, and her eyes were wide as she looked Chloe up and down with a quiet look in her eyes. As if her words had rushed before her, further than she was thinking, and now, revaluating on her own. She sucked in a breath as her earrings continued to beep and the hero looked around at the sunsetting Paris.

 

Chloe had little words. Was that what it felt like to be Juleka? Oh quiet girl Juleka? Her somehow friend Juleka? What a life that would be, wouldn't it, Chloe wondered. She sighed, rubbing her cheek a little more.

 

"I'm s- sorry. I crash landed us." She said simply, Ladybug peaked around, gripping the weird lucky charm in her hands and let out a light 'hah!'.

 

"No. It's fine. In fact, given on how close I think we are..." Ladybug smiled at Chloe, eyes gleaming a bit as a weird look on her face came across the hero as another beep rang out between the,. "I think todays my lucky day. As well as yours."

 

Chloe blinked widely at her.

 

"You stay put." Ladybug said, winking as she began to awkwardly trail away. "I'll be right back after re-transforming, Queen Bee. I just- got to go get a massage first."

 

"I- what?"

 

Ladybug ran off, leaving Chloe awkwardly trapped on a roof. She stood there, tapping her foot in the ground. She checked her phone, nope, nah. Chloe continued to stand there, she rubbed her cheek a little- man what a slap- she was gonna tell this to her non existent therapist and her sort of not cat therapist-friend-sister-ex crush. 

 

She stood there for a bit, when she heard a familiar whizzing sound and when Chloe turned to see Ladybug again- there was a new object in her hand- and Chloe's eyes widened, and heart skipped-

 

"...Once the job is complete, you will return the Miraculous to me. Can I trust you, Chloé?"

 

"Yes." She responded, strength flooding her voice. "Yes you can."

 

...

 

"..woOOOOOOOOOAHHHHHOOLLYYYSHIT- HOLY SHIT-!"

 

"Careful, Queen Bee!" Ladybug swung in front of her. She made cutting through the air look easy, splitting through it like it was butter as the red blur of her frame caught and release herself with her yoyo with ease.

 

Meanwhile, Queen Bee found herself wobbling as her wings beat behind her to catch up, her spinning top gripped her hands. Flying was like standing on ice. She would drift through the air without focus, so she had to be on top of herself on where she was going-  but...

 

They hit a sharp turn- Ladybug curving around the corner with ease and Queen Bee gasped, her wings stopped beating and she free fell for a moment before she swung her top outwards to wrap around a roof chimney. The string went taut- and she grimaced as the tension hit her arm. 

 

Her wings started up like a motor behind her and she hit the curve hard- making a wide circle into the new street but as the wall came closer and closer her eyes widened with fear and unsureness. Chloe pursed her lips and snapped her spinning top free and leapt to the wall as her vision tilted sideways-

 

She made long strides against the wall, her eyes wide with awe as she viewed the world in a whole new perspective, the building beneath her feet was the new floor and the street and it's scattered cars that were parked as civilians clambered out to stare at her- her new side wall-

 

Queen Bee could hear their snaps of phones and their eyes sparkling with, with awe. Astonishment. She could hear their gasps and their voices- and she felt her heart swell with awe. Was this what it felt like to be a Hero?

 

All of these people, they were staring up and saw the same thing Chloe saw when staring at Panthera and Ladybug. Standing in their shadows and not being able to help but seeing the sun in their eyes. They were depending on her to keep them safe. And she was gonna. She swore it.

 

She shook her head and refocused. Queen Bee grinned and in a wild flourish leapt off the wall over the crowd, and her wings burst into high gear, blasting her forward and causing a wind gust to push off of her.

 

She caught up to Ladybug with a laugh as Ladybug leapt from a fresh swing. The red hero looked at her with surprise, before her lips curved into a little smile, slinging her yoyo forward again and taking another swing.

 

"This enough careful for you?" Queen Bee quipped, she couldn't help it. Ladybug barked out a laugh.

 

"Don't get your head in the clouds!" Ladybug said back, "We gotta work together as a team to save your dad, your mom, and Panthera, all right, Queen Bee?"

 

"Of course!" Chloe said, her smile wide. "I've always dreamed of doing this… with you two!"

 

Ladybug smiled and leapt forward. Queen Bee stared after her and her expression steeled. Two... Panthera was not here to see her. But that was only Now. Queen Bee's eyes narrowed with determination. They'd save Panthera, she had to show her skills off after all-

 

Queen Bee followed closely behind into the sunsetting view of Paris.

 

...

 

They trailed behind the traces of where Malediktator had ended up in the city thanks to Alya's updates to the Ladyblog, and when they'd finally found him- making a big show in front of the Hôtel de Ville- the dark blues of the night had swashed over the pallet of the sky

 

She peered over the roof top but as they peered to see Malediktator on what looked to be his own stolen throne- her stomach dropped as Ladybug held up her yoyo's camera, and zoomed in on a terrible sight.

 

"They got her, they got Panthera.!" Queen Bee tensed. Panthera was chained by the neck in what looked like some gaudy spikey collar, and she was prowling on what looked to be all fours just a step beneath where Malediktator was with Audrey sat on his lap, holding the end of the chained leash.

 

"Pspspspspspsp, here kitty kitty!" Audrey joyously went, waving her necklace over the cat hero. Panthera's eyes thinned and she took a violent swipe at her hand, nearly taking the woman's hand off with her claws and snarling at her which made Malediktator look enraged- holding up a golden orb, though it didn't deter Audrey much who just giggled endeared as she patted him on the arm and he sighed- leaving Panthera be.

 

"Kitty's still got her claws though! She still won't let them take her miraculous! What a good cheshire!" Ladybug cooed to herself, clicking her yoyo back to her belt as they stared up at the ruling akuma. And they were not alone.

 

"NONE SHALL PASS MALEDIKTATOR."

 

This wouldn't be easy, as Queen Bee could see. As surrounding the entire Hôtel de Ville was Roger's- somehow army of heavily armed policemen. Where the hell were these folks when Chloe caSUALLY got kidnapped by akumas!? God. GOD!

 

Chloe was beginning to heat up with the anger. Seeing Audrey like that. Seeing Panthera dehumanized into a beast. Seeing her father doing all of these things, the proof he may not love, he may not, she was steaming-

 

"So here's the plan-" Ladybug began but Queen Bee shot to her feet, eyes blazing as her hands shook at her sides. She pointed forward-

 

"HEY MALEDIKTATOR! YOU FUCKING SUCK YOU SHIT ASS! AND YOUR POWERS ARE RIDICULOUS!"

 

"Aw boy.." Ladybug grumbled, face palming a little. "Just like Panthera..."

 

"Maledy-kins! Who is THAT! Her suit is so pretty!" Audrey pointed at her with wide eyes. Queen Bee felt her body freeze for a second but she was able to steel herself faster this time, grimacing. Malediktator growled, standing up.

 

"That's enough! Now you're going to do what I tell you to do!" Malediktator summoned more golden light from his finger tips, glaring with rage. "By the power vested in me, give me your Miraculous!"

 

Queen Bee yelped and the two jumped apart as the orbs scattered into golden dust across the building. Queen Bee dropped onto the ground but she yelped as another blast of gold came her way and she started to run.

 

She looked behind her and squeaked with panic as the cloud of golden dust disappeared and revealed two new orbs flying at her. Queen Bee leapt upwards, sweating hard as they flew under her feet. They began to swerve around and zoom towards her once more with a crowd of policemen chasing after her. Shit!

 

Queen Bee flew upwards, yelping as she saw the policemen barely skim under her feet. She darted downwards, tackling one down and jumping up to hit another with her heel. She whooped with pride, she felt like she could take on the world like this, watching them tumble over and smack into each other- but her joy silenced with fear as the golden orbs curved towards her once more.

 

She had to abandon to her fight, she jumped backwards and began hustling away with fear as they swerved around the officers and zoomed at her heels. They seemed to drift hard, and their honing was inaccurate. If someone could just-

 

Queen Bee landed on the ground, she turned, seeing the groups of officers still running after her and readied her spinning top with a sobering determination filling her lungs. She felt bad- but they were controlled so she was gonna do her best- She swung it hard, wrapping it around the nearest officer's waist and waited- waited- waited- Now!

 

Queen Bee yanked the officer towards her, getting them to take the hits from both orbs and she immediately bounced away. The officer convulsed, eyes beneath the mask glowing, before roaring and clambering to chase after her. Yeah not happening. Her wings buzzed as she flew upwards and she curved around hard to torpedo right to Malediktator.

 

"RAGH!" Queen Bee swung her leg to kick him but slammed hard instead on something hard. Her teeth grinded as she looked down and saw a riot shield beneath her foot instead of the akuma's stupid blue face. 

 

Queen Bee flew backwards and spun- taking her top and swinging it- arching it from behind Malediktator instead- but once more- she watched as soldiers aggressively and robotically stacked on top of each other to take the hit instead! Fuck!

 

Queen Bee hit the side of the roof with a hard crack, skidding backwards so much she could see the tiles quite literally shattering beneath her shoes. She looked up and saw the akuma aim another shot and she growled. She tried to shot her top at him, but it hit the face of another riot shield and she was forced to jump backwards once more as Malediktator sent out another bubble.

 

She looked to where Panthera laid, laying restlessly and mindlessly from within the wall of soldiers and Queen Bee stared weakly at her. She wanted to save Panthera but how she wondered-! They needed her right now-!

 

Ladybug didn't seem to have any more luck than she did, making Queen Bee sweat as she did her best to dodge and jump over the zooming projectile. Queen bee looked upwards, and she could see with wide eyes that Malediktator was directing them. If he couldn't see her-

 

Queen Bee stopped and looking around, she took her foot and smashed through a chimney. It exploded into dust and rubble, clouding her entire body. She instinctually waned to scream at how it would ruin her hair, but she forced herself to not, and seeing the orb cut past her- missing her by a hair, she jumped off the roof and swung her way to somewhere else to go- but that's when things went from bad to worse.

 

The bee hero hit the ground next to Ladybug, looking up to her for guidance, when she followed her sight line where Malediktator ceased his terrorizing, and began to raise his hands up menacingly.

 

"That's ENOUGH now... I've had enough.... ENOUGH... of being told what to do... and not getting what I want..." He growled, and his hands began to glow as a orb flickered within his palms.

 

But then, it began to grow, and grow. From ping pong ball sized, to basketball, then basketball court, and then, and then-! It was beginning to grow larger than the building itself. Turning the Parisian night into a Light Show.

 

"By the power vested in me," He snarled, raising it higher. Queen Bee's stomach dropped as his voice began to thunder loudly across the building tops and the world began to become blinding. "I declare you all... MY SLAVES!"

 

"That bubble is going to be a tough one to dodge!" She exclaimed, lungs breathless as she stared upwards at the golden turning sky. She turned to Ladybug for support. "What do we do what we do!"

 

"He's gonna control the whole city!" Ladybug shouted, she turned to Queen Bee with a serious look. "We have to stop him, NOW!"

 

And they tried! But nothing would work. The wall of soldiers, tackling Queen bee down, shoving her off and away from Malediktator no matter where they went. They used their bodies like shields, bending proportionately to where they should've been. His human shields- anything in his little circle was protected furiously by the soldiers, Panthera included-

 

They hit the ground again, Queen Bee's heart was pounding in her ears, and her increasing panic was rising in her throat like bile.

 

"You need to get past his guards." Ladybug's voice rasped behind her, she was clutching her side, seemingly bruised by the shoving and the thrashing. She raised up her yoyo, grimacing as it glowed a red light. "Lucky Charm!"

 

Now, when lucky charm happened. Usually a bunch of red light with glowing magic ladybugs burst from the yoyo, and they manifested into this tiny red and black polkadot object dropped nicely into her hands. But as Queen bee watched it grow, and grow- and not stop growing- her jaw dropped as she barely stepped back just in time to dodge the GIANT LAZER SIGHTED GATTLING GUN SLAMMING INTO THE GROUND SO HARD IT CRACKED.

 

"holy SHIT that is a lucky charm" Chloe looked over it with wide eyes, now she didn't want to kill her dad, but, look it was so shiny- and so cool- and not a weird household item Ladybug always got on random- and- and- come on please let her use it! "T-this'll be REALLY helpful!"

 

Ladybug looked around curiously, then shook her head.

 

"Yeah no as if I'd use this." She laughed, plucking the laser sight and kicking the majestic weapon off the building with an unimpressive and depressing clank. Chloe's hope plummeted and she looked up with wide eyes and confusion.

 

"B-but- are you- are you sure-"

 

"Yup, I've got all I need." Ladybug smiled, holding up the laser pointer with a wink. Queen Bee stared at her, and it suddenly clicked in her mind. Her mouth fell and she began to squint. No. No way. Paris was, riding on this plan, oh my god.

 

"This can't be real." Queen Bee deadpanned. 

 

"It sure is." Ladybug said, flicking the laser pointer in her hand and put a hand on Queen Bee's shoulder with a more serious look. "When a bee stings, they can only do it once, Queen Bee. But this is not where your story of heroism ends. So let's finish this!"

 

Queen Bee's eyes widened, and she determinedly nodded.

 

"Alright, Ladybug." She said, and she raised up her hand with a feeling of breathlessness wash through her lungs and pulse through her veins like an undeniable power. She shouted loud, proud, and full of strength- "HONEYCOMB!"

 

Her hands glowed with golden light, and she could see the drift of golden, translucent, almost goopy energy wave around from her palm. Queen Bee didn't get to really experiment before, but when she willed it, she could harden the surface into a more resin like texture, and when she didn't want it to drip, the honey like substance would only flow around her palm like some funny aura of goo. It glimmered bright, and somewhere in her, she was curious how it tasted-

 

Nope- nope- try it later- not now Chloe.

 

"Focus on Malediktator;" Ladybug said, whipping out her yoyo, she glanced to her with a serious look. "I'll cover you by dealing with the guards. You got this, Queen Bee!"

 

Chloe took in a deep breath and smiled with confidence.

 

"I know."

 

The two burst forward, Queen Bee's wings lifting her off the ground. Her heart swelled as she streaked across the sky like a golden comet, golden and blue eyes burning bright as she dove down towards Malediktator. She could see the guards already raising themselves in a formation to protect the mayor and she bounced off of them quick.

 

She skidded across the ground as a few began to zone in on her. Queen Bee jumped to the right, the left, and in a quick flourish she sent a large splatter of goop across the ground and her fist clenched as the soldiers stepped through it. The honey hardened- and they all yelped with surprise and frustration finding themselves stuck.

 

"Oh nice!" Queen Bee smiled to herself, but paled as multiple guards already began trudging towards her. She had to focus but how.! And then, a terrible, echoing cracking sound echoed through the courtyard and Queen Bee's heart stopped for a second. The policemen stopping as well.

 

"...Hey- man- why's there a red dot on my face-WAHGHGHGhhgHGHAGH."

 

Panthera roared, teeth bare and claws extended as she tackled the guard hard and ripped his riot gear straight off. She picked him up by the scruff and in a snarl, and spun around with wide, dilated eyes, as she saw the red dot had moved and was placed right at the next one's face.

 

"O-Oh no." Panthera grinned, lowering herself as her body wiggled and before they could run- she chucked the policemen at his fellow solider and pounced. Queen Bee had no idea, what she was seeing. Just wide eyed awe and horror and the carnage going on. But as she turned to her right, she could see a few things. Ladybug with the laser pointer giving her a wild thumbs up, and a path to Malediktator.

 

Thank you. She mentally said, trudging forward with a steely gaze, before she began trotting, then running, then sprinting-

 

"DON'T YOU DARE!" Malediktator roared, but he could do nothing but watch her approach with wild, feral strides as her eyes were focused- focused on that sash- on the pounding in her chest- and the glowing moon sized golden bubble he was atlas style- holding to the sky.

 

"Sweetie-pie!" Queen Bee nearly felt herself freeze. Her heart froze and she looked down at her mother. She looked worried for the akuma. Considerate. But that's not who Audrey was. That was not truth. She didn't want a version of Audrey who loved her. The empty spot of where a mother should be would never be tarnished by Audrey's touch every again..! It wasn't Audrey's space.!

 

Queen bee's eyes narrowed and she just took the next step forward- letting out a throat burning cry-

 

"raAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUGGGHGHGHHHHHHHH!"

 

"NOOOOOOOOOOO!"

 

Queen Bee tackled him straight in the stomach, sending him FLYING backwards off the building. He let out a cry- struggling against her grasp. But she just roared louder, bringing her fists up high, and in a explosion of gold light- the resin hardened against Malediktator's hands, cutting off the power to his sphere of power as it burst into nothing- sweat rolled down her face and it splashed across him, solidifying over his whole body until they slammed into the ground.

 

An explosion of dust scattered around them and when it cleared Chloe fell back- staring at the akuma who looked almost like a creature preserved in amber. She let out a weak, shuddery breath and her hand slowly grabbed onto the sash and watched as it slid off of the mayor. Her dad. Her lips pursed and with her body aching with soreness, she pushed herself forward. One foot in front of the other.

 

"You've been, impeached." Queen Bee rasped. She always wanted to do a hero quip. God she's so cool. Hah. Ahahaha. Ha..

 

She sighed, rubbing her face tiredly, gazing down at the akumatized sash in her hands. Queen Bee gripped it tightly, and looked upwards at the night sky. She took a deep breath and flew upwards to her friends to purify the akuma.

 

Her back turned, as Malediktator weakly reached a hand after her, rasping out a weak breath, before he tiredly collapsed.

 

...

 

"Miraculous Ladybug!"

 

Queen Bee inhaled softly as the wash of warm ladybugs traveled across her and she felt the light welts on her skin become kissed away by the healing magic. According to Pollen, she'd be able to achieve a similar affect of healing with the honeycomb if or when the time came, and she hoped she'd be able to find purpose in that.

 

Healing others, instead of hurting them. That's what Panthera did too huh. Someone with such a destructive power, choosing the most gentlest of goods? Queen bee wondered if she could find the footing to be like that.

 

"Aw MAN! I wake up and I missed one of my favorite hero's coolest battle yet? Darn! I sure am unlucky aren't I, huh partner, bee! And, agh, my neck feels itchy- was something wrapped around it? That's gross." A voice came around, shocking Chloe out of her systems. Queen Bee gasped, turning around with wide eyes and nearly crying.

 

"Panthera!" She exclaimed, buzzing with delight and rushing to her friend. Panthera grinned and opened up her arms, catching her into this big hug. Panthera was okay.! She was okay. She couldn't hear her racing heart over her stream of giggles.

 

"Hi Queen Bee!" Panthera lifted her a little upwards, smiling. "Did you kick ass?"

 

"Obviously! It's a shame I couldn't show off in front of you though, I would've blown your cat boots straight off!" Queen Bee tossed her hair with pride, unable to wipe the wide grin off her face as Panthera set her down. Being a hero, here, with Panthera and Ladybug. She was on cloud nine. Panthera purred with delight.

 

"Hah, straight. Well I guess you'll just have to come back soon! Or maybe..?" Panthera looked up and her smile fell a little. Queen Bee followed her sight line and she could see Ladybug's hand extended.

 

Her expression looked serious despite her smile, and there was a tension in the way Panthera stared at her hand, pushing Queen Bee a little to cross her arms in front of her, almost protectively- though she didn't let a drop of frustration come across her, just, wary.

 

"I mean, partner," Panthera began, "I think it'd be smart?"

 

"Sorry. Gotta take it back." Ladybug said, looking to Queen bee with a bit more of an insisting smile. "She promised after all."

 

"But if you could-" Panthera stepped in front of Queen Bee again, also looking a bit more insistent, tail lashing behind her. "-could just- just talk to- you know- and I'm sure he could listen at the very Least!"

 

"I do- well- I will! I will, but he's gonna say no."

 

"But why don't you try!"

 

"It's not that simple-"

 

But Chloe, felt the dialogue fade from her ears as she glanced over the edge of the building and quietly, sat down- legs dangling over and her eyes sparkling at the view below the Hôtel de Ville.

 

It was breathtaking to see Paris like this. It's shining golden lights, and the mixes of red shining offwards from the police cars and fire engines. Chloe could distantly hear the quiet whistle of the wind, along with the beeping of her comb.

 

Her comb, the thing that made her Queen Bee. Chloe believed she wasn't the smartest tool in the box. She didn't, but, she, she wasn't dumb either. And she could put two and two together quickly and know the other heroes- like her- were only coming out when Ladybug wished.

 

Chloe looked over her shoulder at them, and then back down, at her black, sparkly gloves and her eyes widened seeing beyond them, like a speck on the ground- her dad. He looked lost, it was his first akumatization, and Chloe could see Audrey with him too. God. She was chewing his ear off. Why didn't he do anything-

 

It's cause he was being hurt too huh.

 

Chloe felt her hands softly rest on her lap as she watched. She wasn't the only victim of Audrey's abuse. She wasn't the only one in this, dysfunctional, doll house family, that didn't want to say a word about how they felt about her because they felt like they Needed Audrey to be part of it. She wasn't the only one who was made to feel... small.

 

Being a hero wasn't just about the suit was it? And it wasn't about making the extreme differences in the world either. It was about making the smaller choices in life, that could improve the world around you. And that started with her family. Her real one. The one formed in the absence of the woman bastard's absence to New York. The family made of father and daughter.

 

Chloe smiled to herself. She wasn't sure what would happen, she was honestly, terrified, but she would carry Queen Bee's strength with her now. 

 

"It's alright, Panthera. I understand." Chloe spoke up, cutting through the conversation as she stood up to face the two heroes. "Buzz off."

 

She felt her hero suit sucked off of her in a snap of golden light and she smiled, satisfied. Pollen danced on her palm and took a polite- yet tired looking bow.

 

"Excellent performance, my queen." Pollen spoke up, and Chloe smiled a little, taking Pollen's paw- to the kwami's light surprise- with one hand, and the edge of her jacket with the other, and gave her own curtsey to the creature with a polite nod.

 

"Thank you for the help, Pollen." Chloe said, much to the kwami's delight. Chloe plucked the comb off and pressed it into Panthera's hand gratefully. The cat hero smiled at her, but looked ever so slightly regretful in the action as she passed it to the ladybug hero who held up her closed fist. 

 

Chloe didn't quite process what it was until she did, gasping with delight. Panthera held up her fist as well, winking, and they joined their fists together in one light thump-

 

"Pound it!"

 

...

 

"Safe travels!"

 

"Bug out!"

 

Panthera waved goodbye to Chloe as they left her from where they dropped her off on solid ground. But they didn't pace too far, skidding to a stop at a roof. Juleka's tail flicked behind her as they watched the heiress make her way to the Bourgeois parents with a stride in her step. Whatever she did next, it'd be her decision.

 

"Will she be okay?" Ladybug asked worriedly, gripping the bee miraculous in her hand. It wasn't their conversation to hear, Panthera had pressed as they went away, however she could sense the thick aura of worry coming off of the hero. Juleka rose an eyebrow but smiled at Marinette.

 

"I didn't know you cared for her now." Juleka snarked a little, watching as Chloe separated the two adults from each other. She seemed to tell Audrey off, before taking Andre to the side to talk. Her voice softened, "That's nice. I knew you didn't like her before hand."

 

"I- well- my opinion took some weird loops today. I'm still gonna- process- stuff- my opinion of her isn't Bad anymore." Marinette did her best to keep up her heroic confidence, despite her awkward Marinette brand shuffling and huffing in place. Panthera let out a breathy laugh, watching with a smile as she saw Chloe and Andre hug- and make their way home together.

 

"Growth is growth." Juleka said, fiddling with her hair a little. She looked over at Ladybug with a smile. "Let's call it a night?"

 

"Let's." Ladybug said, beginning to stride off on her own. Juleka smiled softly.

 

"Safe travels, Ladybug!" She called out after her, watching the hero of paris bound off into the city dark- before heading in her own direction. Excited to tell her family about the night.

 

 

Notes:

wake me uuuuppp when september eennnddds-

Chapter 65: Reverser

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Nathaniel loved, over all things, art. He loved character designing, he loved visual story telling, he loved it when colors could have symbolism, fight scenes, drama scenes, paintings others has made, kissing- actually no he hadn't figured out how to draw kissing yet, that was really hard ok, like, like the over laying of the faces and- that's not the point. 

 

Nathaniel loved art. Exploring it, indulging in it, improving with it. Nathaniel had always known he had a sharp and hurtful tone when he lost his temper. And his temper was often lost, it was hard to control, and it was frustrating when it happened.

 

He never really wanted to get angry over things, it was exhausting and painful, but sometimes it just slipped cause he just wasn't being understood, or some asshole was being a dick and judging his stuff and his art and him and- jeez. There he goes.

 

The full point is, he really loved art. And he loved what he could translate through it that untrustworthy words couldn't. It spoke an easier language he could better understand and communicate through. Specifically, as it may be obvious to you, his emotions and thoughts.

 

Its why when he was coping with the whole Evillustrator thing, hitting an artist block so hard it could be a brick wall, he pushed himself through by constantly, obsessively, drawing the character he had been turned into once more. 

 

Mightillustrator was once the perfect hero he wished he could be, but now, Evillustrator could be the person he could become. Rising up from the whole experience, and turning it back into a creative outlet he enjoyed. As he wrote on about the stories that could happen! At least, in his head. Where a jumbled mass of ideas made sense.

 

"...He changed his name after Ladybug de-akumatized him and became a superhero." Nathaniel had gone on to explain to the art teacher, pointing quite enthusiastically at his notebook. "And that's why Mightillustrator, er, slash Evillustrator is a hero in this... 'story'." 

 

"Bad guy who comes over to the good side, great idea." The art teacher mused with a happy look in his eyes. He glanced down at Nathaniel with an encouraging look. "You know, you should make a comic book about this concept, Nathaniel. I remember you said you wanted to do that. And you could make a full storyline with all these single drawings you do."

 

Nathaniel bit his lip a little, as he stewed over it, before defeatedly shaking his head.

 

"Yeah, but I'm only good at drawing stories, not writing them." He sighed. See, Nath didn't really have a good grasp on actual story stuff yet. Sure, he liked watching well written movies, and sure, he made a few comics in like, Elementary school. But literature was his second worst class and yeah, that elementary school comic?

 

Fuckin sucked man. So he was in a bit of a pickle. Luckily he was surrounded by other artists, at least here, people who he loved- though he wouldn't quite say that aloud- and who knew his anger well. In a place that he called his personal sanctuary. 

 

Room 33, the art club- Nathaniel had always found it as a sort of fun, non dramatic, escape from the day. He never was into clubs before, last year he didn't even go to any of those, club, fair, things, but this year, it felt nice to have a place to go on his own terms that wasn't just home. Another option. And a place his friends found a reason to go to as well.

 

"Then you should team up with a creative writer." The teacher suggested kindly, moving on to someone else. But Nathaniel just grumbled.

 

"Maybe... But, I don't know anyone who's into that." He responded to just himself, hanging his head between his shoulders. That was just the truth of the matter. "I don't think anyone wants to read a dumb comic about my dumb self insert oc..."

 

"Aww don't worry buddy." Nathaniel glanced up, smiling a little as he saw Alix bustle her gas mask over her head. His best friend. Her lips drawing into a lazy smirk. "There's gotta be somebody out there just waiting to meet you. Lots of people have praised your art on the school website. Oh yeah- Red please!"

 

He looked down and from the bag of colors, Nathaniel quickly tossed it to her, much to her delight as she caught it perfectly. He raised an eye at the mural behind her, it and it's streams of solely teals and yellows. He stared suspiciously at her as she pulled her mask back over her face, and began shaking the can in too much of an enthusiastic matter.

 

"Uh, Alix?" Marinette looked up with concern, immediately alerting the teacher. "What are you doing?" 

 

"Yeah.." Nathaniel squinted, "I don't think red will suit your current thing very well..."

 

"Oh it won't." She agreed. Nathaniel's eyes widened as Alix pulled from her pocket what looked like a fancy shmancy, almost antique looking little square lighter. And in her eyes was an unsafe amount of chaos filled excitement as she flicked it open, and her eyes lit up with the flame's glow. "Just seein' if this works! For science."

 

"Woah woAH WOah woah no no nononnoo no no, no arson, no no no- not for you- not in this safe work environment please-" Mr Monet began with a panicked squawk, waving his hands everywhere as he ran over to grab the can from Alix. Much to her dismay.

 

"Hey!" She complained, making the grabby hands for it back. "Aw come on I knew what I was doing!"

 

"Alix... do you want me to take your lighter too? You shouldn't have that on school grounds already, young lady." Mr Monet admonished lightly. Alix grunted, flicking it closed with a grumpy look in her eye, and stashing it back into her pocket.

 

Nathaniel let out a little chuckle of amusement. Paint wouldn't ignite anyways, hairspray works better. He thought before looking up in momentary shock as Marinette's eyes flicked out the door and her face lit up with utter excitement, shouting out-

 

"Marc! Marc you made it! Oh welcome welcome welcome in oh my god you're finally here come meet everyone!" Nathaniel's head swiveled around with confusion as Marinette jumped from her chair and bolted to the door, and to his widening eyes, his world would forever change...

 

...

 

..and just a few minutes later-

 

"Hey guys," Juleka ducked her head into the art club, eyes squinting. "I just saw Marinette run after Marc from the art club. What happened?"

 

Not that wasn't the strangest of sights the girl had seen in her life. But it was a questionable one on this slightly breezy day. And Juleka, who had forgotten to take her meds that morning so she went home really quick, had only then headed to the art club before watching the blur of red and blue go past her, would've liked some understandable answers.

 

"Oh Jules!" Rose excited beamed, sitting up from looking at what seemed to be an awkwardly flushed Nathaniel, who she excitedly pointed at. "Ok so so- wait- wait you know who Marc is?"

 

"Uh. Yeah. I uh, I do." Juleka nodded shortly at her, scratching the back of her neck tensely at the club's attention to her. "Marc used to be in the drama club but left before the whole, club, Collab thing... And when Adam wanted those last minute rewrites from Lila, she asked for some help from him. And I got to meet them. They sit beneath the stairs sometimes...? Plus Marinette mentions him..."

 

"Oh. Adam. Right." Rose gritted her teeth a little, her cheeks puffing up into a more aggressive looking pout. Juleka really didn't understand why Rose was still mad about that... it was um, cute, though...

 

"Oh huh. Look at that, Nathaniel. Our Juleka knows Marc. How fun, huh?" Alix jabbed him a bit with a wide Cheshire smile that seemed all too mysteriously mischievous than normal. Wait, huh? What happened?

 

"Did I... miss something?" Juleka looked up unsurely to Mr Monet, fidgeting her thumb over her case strap a little. He let out an awkward chuckle, scratching his chin a little. 

 

"I think your friends would rather tell you," He said, before perking up as someone else in the art room called him over. He waltzed off and Juleka turned back to her friends, with a slightly tilted head, as they seemed to vibrate with either, excitement, chaos, or dread.

 

"Why did you tell him I draw 'girls in skinny suits'..?!" Nathaniel groaned, eye twitching beneath his fiery bangs. Alix snorted through her teeth.

 

"Dude you laughed-" She retorted, poking his cheek much to his grumpy attitude. "-I don't think that's what ran Marc right out the door."

 

"Marinette finally tried to bring Marc into the club! We gotta tell you about it, Jules!" Rose perked up, inviting her girlfriend to sit down, patting her leg a little. Juleka blinked a little widely, but not wanting to wait too long and make a scene.

 

So Juleka lightly rested her case on the table and tried to sit as lightly as possible on Rose's lap, feeling her wrap her arms around her waist. Ah, this is comfy actually. She sorta understood Rose now. Huh. This was nice. Sick.

 

"Guys there's really not that much to, to say, about it, it literally lasted for two minutes." Nathaniel grunted, a hand finding a great place on his face to palm. Wait, was that correct grammar? Ah fuck it this is internal monologue who cares. "It's whatever."

 

"Mm?" Juleka looked unsurely at Rose.

 

"It didn't go well." Rose whispered into her ear. Juleka made an 'ooooo' sound, nodding to herself with intrigue.

 

"Oh it didn't go well..." Juleka thought out loud, squinting with thought. "Woahhhhh... Sounds like it didn't go well, Nathaniel."

 

"Of course, I mean, I dunno, it's probably, Marc was just, worried and stuff!" Nathaniel blabbered, her voice wavering with unsureness. His lips quivering as he squinted hard with thought. "Or maybe it meant something that they left when we offered them to by my script writer..."

 

"And you flirted with him." Alix began.

 

"DID NOT!" Nathaniel squawked, hair standing on end. "ITS- nOT- LIKE THAT! I WAS JUST THANKING THEEmmm..."

 

He groaned, shoulders falling with exhaustion.

 

"Besides.... it was... really cool and nice to get all those compliments from them... it felt like he really got me... but what the hell does that mean? What if they're just some other person rearing to make fun of me again?" Nathaniel sighed looking away. He blinked, turning bright red as Juleka, Alix, and Rose slowly rose up behind him, eyes glinting with mischief.

 

He looked between them, his eyes widening further.

 

"No. Don't say anything." Nathaniel said, seeing the terribleness in their eyes with gritted teeth. The art club was silent, staring at him. They then inched a little closer. And a little closer. Until they were looming over him with glimmering eyes.

 

Juleka, feeling a little unsure now but not wanting to back away- glanced to Rose, Rose, who only smiled at her then glanced to Alix, and Alix, the bringer of all hell, grinned over Nathaniel- passed the torch of honors as she whispered-

 

"Gay gay homosexual gay-"

 

"Oh fuck off!" Nathaniel growled, stewing bright red as his head scrunched up beneath his shoulders. "No more about crush stuff, fuck man! That, that never, ends well for me- do you remember Evillustrator!?"

 

"Uh yeah. We do, dude." Alix snorted a little, raising an eyebrow. She pointed downwards at his drawings. "Bro you're doodling a comic about him right now."

 

Nathaniel glowered, holding his book tighter to his chest with a look of shame, cheeks a flushed and frustrated red. Alix's expression fell, souring as she looked away guiltily about going a step too far. She sighed, and sat down on the table with a creak.

 

Juleka and Rose decided then with just a glance in their eyes that whatever the two said to make up it wasn't quite their business. Turning away to go back to what they were doing, although a bit reluctantly.

 

She slumped a bit, sitting her old bass in her lap, the wear and tear of it's chipped paint something she ran a hand over, as Rose pulled a chair next to her to smile encouragingly for her to play whatever came to mind.

 

So Juleka did, idly to herself and her love after plugging it in, her mind drifting as the notes flowed through her ears and she could see distantly when Alix and Nathaniel, better smiling now on easier and happier terms, waved goodbye to each other as Alix announced her leave, and promising each other to see each other some time later that day as she played. 

 

"Oh yeah, Alix is doing roller derby huh." Juleka said, watching out from the corner of her eye as Alix bumped into Marinette. Marinette smiled to Alix, waving her goodbye, before slinking into the room with a strange look in her eyes and an unfamiliar book in her arms. She rose an eyebrow at that but turned fully to Rose. "Would you ever want to do that?"

 

"Roller derby?" Rose asked. She paused for a moment, tapping a finger to her lip, before shrugging with a curve to her lips. "I don't know about derby but..."

 

"Like as a date? Going to some rink maybe..?" Juleka offered gently, Rose smiled, a giggle blessing her ears as she leaned closer.

 

"Can you roller-skate? Is that one of your multitude of other talents, violet?" Rose sang a little, booping Juleka on the nose lightly. Juleka giggled, a blush coming to her lips as she held her bass a bit closer so she could pull her knees in.

 

"Maybe." She murmured, a chuckle to her lips. Juleka hummed, tilting her head. "But would you? Er, like to skate that is."

 

"That sounds loads of fun!" Rose grinned, she perked up with sparkles in her eyes as she adjusted her headphones. "OoH! That could make a good song! Maybe! I don't know! I! I'm sorry I'm sort of half listening right now, and also, the, the music-"

 

"Yeah I got you." Juleka snorted.

 

"I, there was a tune, I just-" Rose crouched over the little notepad in her hands, scribbling into it passionately. Juleka smiled at that wild little grin, leaning on her elbow as she watched her basically burn a whole into the paper. Art was so gay- I mean good. Art was, good. Hah.

 

But then. The opposite of a rainbow slammed open the door. 

 

"Where..." A figure split of form snarled. Their skin covered and bent in a paper, origami like structure. Juleka stood up immediately with fear as the akuma pushed themself further into the room, standing on a large origami plane, and with the most distorted of voices. "...are Nathaniel and Marinette?!"

 

"Shit." Juleka stood up immediately.

 

"Jules." Rose began shakily, but to her surprise she watched as Rose immediately threw her arm out in front of both of them protectively. The akuma pushed himself further in when Mr Monet stepped in front as well with nervous hands.

 

"That's a very creative costume you have there. It's very, ahaha, d-detailed." Mr Monet sputtered out. Juleka stared at the akuma fearfully as their eye twitched. They wouldn't hurt them right? They'd done nothing. "Would you like to join our workshop?"

 

"Workshop this... art club that..." The akuma snarled. The akuma's lip curled into an enraged look, opening a hand that began to glow and black and white that began to fold into a shape- a small airplane. Fuck! Fuck!! "Let's see what happens when your passions became your HATRED!"

 

"JULES!" Juleka feel her legs freeze up as the akuma launched the fleet at them and suddenly she felt the air in her legs slam out of her as Rose tackled her to the ground. She felt her bass crack into herself, making her wheeze for breath as the pain flared through her body.

 

"Ghgh... Rose?" Juleka groaned with pain, her eyes fluttering open as Rose shifted painfully off of her. She seemed ok. But she knew, she had to have been hit. But what happened? What did that cause? Juleka watched as Rose looked over her slowly.

 

"Jules," Her beloved girlfriend began, but then that's when it happened. Rose's eyes hit her bass. And suddenly, they were filled, with, sudden, rage. "..I HATE FUCKING MUSIC SO FUCKING MUUUUCHHH MOTHER FUCKERRHGHH!"

 

"Wa-wait ROSE MY BASS NO HEY FUCK!" Juleka reached out and watched her Rose, very impressively she might consciously add later but not in her manic moment of terror, snatch her bass up from her hands and with a turn, obliterate it against the ground in an ear deafening smash. Shattering it's frame into pieces, and then lifting up again, another shrieking sound of snapping string-

 

Juleka would never, in any world, never in any dimension hate Rose Lavillant. But she coULD BE SCARED AND VERY MUCH FEELING LOTS OF FEELINGS ABOUT THIS OH GOD ROSE NO THAT'S SO EXPENSIVE- ROSE-

 

"RoSE NO! THATS MY ONLY BASS FUCK-" Juleka panicked, her voice cracking she could sound like a teenage boy in puberty. Which, I mean, she wasn't but, she was still a little embarrassed by the sound. She felt her heart shoot to her throat as Rose spun at her, looking feral as hell with her music notes between her teeth, but then the anger seemed to drop from her eyes.

 

"I, whauh.." Rose looked at her hands contemplatively, the mania sort of draining from her eyes despite the ever present anger she felt seeing the instrument in her grip. Juleka scrambled back, a new determination in herself to get away so she could transform- Rose turned, "J-Jules wait I'm so sorry!-"

 

"Hah?" Rose stared as Juleka was opening up the art window. Juleka waved awkwardly as she stuck her torso out. "Its finE DON'T FOLLOW ME I FORGOT TO TAKE MY- MY UH- ANXIETY MEDS, YES OKAY HAHA NO WORRIES WHATSOEVER BYE-!"

 

"JULES-!"

 

"YOU- WHAT THE-!" The akuma began but Juleka, after taking a picture for the Ladyblog, oh so gracefully flung herself out the window and after falling into a bush- she ran for the hills.

 

...

 

When she'd gotten a call on Ladybug's position, she didn't expect it to be the middle of the Seine. Or well, IN, the Seine. Uh. that was. Juleka looked down from her baton to see where her gps was telling her Ladybug was supposed to be.

 

"Partner?" Panthera spoke out awkwardly, watching as a group of bubbles from the Seine spat out an absolutely drenched from head to toe Ladybug, her eyes wide and flared with anger and annoyance as she held her yoyo respirator in her mouth. 

 

"Panghther-" Ladybug began, trying to pull herself out before squeaking as her hand slipped beneath her against the wet cement, to which Juleka grabbed her by the hand and pulled her out al the way. Ladybug spat out her yoyo with a groan. "Agh.. Thanks a lot.."

 

"And I thought I hated water. Jeez, what the hell happened to you, bug?" Juleka asked worriedly, offering over her jacket for Ladybug to dry herself off a little, to which she thankfully took. She sighed.

 

"Reverser happened." Ladybug replied dryly, ruffling her hair dry a bit, she threw the jacket over her shoulders with a shiver. "Their power gives them the ability to reverse something in anyone. Anything! Including, ugh! Giving me the equivalent of, ugh! Two left feet..!"

 

"And that's why...?" Juleka tilted her head with a playful smile. 

 

"Yes. It's why I was..." She groaned, trying to dry herself off a bit more as she motioned to the water. "...In the... Seine."

 

"Well we better fix this fast." Panthera's tail flicked, her eyes narrowing. And also save my bass. She grinned quickly to the other hero, offering out a hand. "Do you need a piggy back ride, clutzy-bug?"

 

"Oh stop that." Ladybug pouted, before, admittedly taking her hand. "Uhm. Yes that would be nice actually-"

 

And so, with Ladybug on her back, they took off. The cat hero bounding over the city quick as they searched for Reverser and Ladybug filled her in on Nathaniel and Marc's 'disagreement' earlier that day.

 

The streets were covered in chaos. Roger had robbed two banks, traffic was the worst kind she'd seen in- well ever she didn't know how to drive- pigeons were attacking Mr Ramier, but strangely enough, it seemed a lot of people were distracted with something else.

 

"Oh right." Panthera stopped over a roof top, he was making an announcement right now, in front of a crowd of signs and shouting. "Isn't Mayor Bourgeois being the face for that weird trash space thing that everyone's really mad about? Isn't there that protest today?"

 

"Huh, yeah. I don't really agree with it though. The trash is literally just going to mess up another place. Like that scene in Wall-E." Ladybug made an awkward shrug. "Why what about you?"

 

"Eh." Panthera said. Like, she disagreed too with the trash thing. But attending any protests were always way too loud, way too crowded, way too overstimulating for her tastes, so she didn't. She'd rather take more quiet forms of rebellion. But then, she spotted it. A splotch of white and black. "Aw fuckin' Christ there he is shit fucking hell go go go..!" 

 

"Paris, the cleanest city? We'll see about that! Reversion!" Reverser bellowed, hurling the paper airplane into the mayor's back. The man let out a cry of shock, slumping over slightly before letting out a terrible giggle, bending over his tablet and pressing rapid buttons

 

"I'm going to order our satellites to release all the dumpsters back down toward Paris, making our city the biggest trash heap the world has ever known.!" Mayor Bourgeois shouted, the crowd screamed, dropping signs and bolting.

 

"AAH-HAHAHAHA!!!"  Reverser maniacally cackled at the scene, hovering above it all on their glider. Panthera dropped down on the stage next to him, Ladybug sliding off her back with a determined yet worry stare.

 

"Hey piss paper!" Juleka snarled, catching the akuma's attention as she swung her staff out. Her muscles tensed as she readied herself for the fight ahead. "Why don't you pick a fucking issue, dick!" 

 

"Give me your miraculous..!" Reverser bellowed, immediately turning and chucking two planes through the air. The two heroes darted away from each other. Ladybug forward and Panthera upwards. She landed with a scrape of her nails as she clambered on top of the large speaker. Claws digging hard into the metal as she forced Reverser to stare up at her. 

 

From her view, she could see both them and Ladybug. Who, in a cringing crash, had taken three steps forward, and then a full body roll into the sound booth. Reverser roared, sending another flurry towards Panthera that she grimaced against. She swung her staff, cracking them in multiple directions.

 

"Terrible aim!" She purred, dodging another one with just a tilt of the head. "For someone on a paper airplane, your as a dumb as a rock!"

 

Panthera stomped a foot down, shattering the metal beneath her and Reverser gasped as the whole speaker cracked- and soon came falling down. He narrowly dodged out of the way from being crushed, but gasped in terror as Panthera came flying out of the dust and debris and landed on the side of the glider.

 

It immediately became unbalanced, as the two shared grunts of exertion and rage as they battled on it. Taking swings and scraping claws while Panthera could hear the own echo of her hisses through her ears. 

 

"Scissors beats paper..!" Panthera stuck her tongue out but her hair bristled as Reverser held out a hand. Forming in a flash of black and white light,  new airplane appeared in his grasp and they held high up, about to stab it into her. 

 

She threw herself off, rolling into the ground stingingly. Panthera shook her hair out, staring upwards indignantly.

 

"Bitchless bitch! Stupid bitch boy! You got akumatized over a misunderstanding! Save that shit for the rest of us!" Panthera shouted, she wouldn't usually rile an akuma up this much but she felt talkatively petty today and it seemed to get to Reverser, as they raised higher and higher.

 

"You talk to much" Reverser remarked, voice dripping with venom. Their distorted voice reverberating across Panthera's skin as they held up a newly formed airplane in their hand, glowing an awful aura. "Why don't we fix that-"

 

"Panthera!" Ladybug shouted with worry.

 

Juleka saw what was coming, but so did everyone else, all at once. She was ready to jump out of the way, tail lashing with anticipation in the seconds before, but it was in that moment three actions had all painfully converged at once.

 

Trying to jump out of the way of the air plane, Ladybug had gone to throw her yoyo at her instead, trying to save and pull Panthera out to safety, and instead, clocked her right in the nose with a painful sting- causing Panthera to reel back- and get shot right into the chest with the airplane.

 

She slammed into the ground, feeling the air kicked right out of her chest, it felt cold as it absorbed right into her, and she let out a cry that turned silent suddenly. Panthera's eyes widened and her hands flew up to her throat in response. She let out a testing sound, but she couldn't, for there was no sound to realize.

 

Fuck..! Panthera realized, as she tasted copper against her tongue and she began wiping away the blood from her nostrils. Damn it! They just made me nonverbal! Fucking hell, rude ass bitch!

 

"Panthera! Panthera are you okay!?" Ladybug cried across the way. But Panthera couldn't respond, no, wouldn't, she was busy staring up at the sky where Reverser floated above them, worried about their next move. But instead they floated, and then they spoke.

 

"They are powerless now, Hawk Moth. Ladybug can't take a step without tripping on a dust particle and the cat's got the kitty's tongue." Reverser seemed to growl to himself with a corrupted stare, purple butterfly visor glowing across their face as they hovered above them. "We've got all the time in the world. I'll take care of them as soon as I've inverted Marinette and Nathaniel..!"

 

She watched as they zoomed away, and she felt a feeling of shame, rage, insecurity, and frustration begin to boil in their chest where she couldn't expel into words. Fucking damn it he got away. This is what happens when the gays don't communicate!

 

"Panthera!" Ladybug ran up to her, catching her attention as the red hero stood over her with worry. "Panthera are you okay? What did they do to you?"

 

"Mute," Panthera signed, pushing her closed fist with her thumb sticking up towards her lips. Ah, no wait, She paused, spelling it instead. She's pestered Ladybug about learning more actual words instead of just relying on her knowledge on JUST the alphabet, but now wasn't a good time. Ladybug let a low 'oohhh' and clicked a tongue.

 

"That's not good..." She shook her head, fidgeting with her gloves. "Which means you can't use your cataclysm huh."

 

Juleka looked over her hands with a furrowed gaze. Her ring glimmering, she thought the word cataclysm long and hard. Even speechless, she tried to word it out, to spell it in sign, but it didn't work. She felt, useless. Panthera's ears drooped as she stared up at her and Ladybug groaned.

 

"I'll have to make a new plan then, either way, we've got to chase after them." Ladybug said with determination, gazing off at where Reverser had flown before looking down at Panthera securely. "Can you still carry me? We've got to make it to Nathaniel before they do."

 

Of course I can. Panthera wanted to say, but not just because she wanted to. But because she wished she could prove it. That she still had her purpose. Her fist clenched at her side and she stood achily up on her known and for a moment she was staring down at Ladybug. Looming. But then, as quickly as she stood, she kneeled down again, for Ladybug to climb aboard.

 

Panthera's hair bristled as she stared on at the Parisian sky. Her tail lashing behind her. To the Louvre.

 

...

 

Nathaniel had stomped out the park with an enraged expression on his face and then as his stride slowed, he felt his breaths begin to waver as his now stinging eyes blinked wet and wide as he began to process.

 

Everything had been blacked out. It was a complete blot of ink. Just red, red, anger. What. What had he done. What could he have, no, he's still mad. He felt so mad. WhY WOULD THEY FUCKING DO THIS TO HIM- HE SHOULD'VE KNOWN BETTER- FUCK!

 

Nathaniel was gasping out a strained noise mixed with a shuddered sob as he began to burst into a trembling run. No no NO. He had to get out of here. Fully. No no no. He can't be seen like this. He can't be heard. No matter how raw his voice screamed out, he couldn't, say, what had he said, there was just anger in his voice.

 

Anger through his veins. Anger in his shaking artistic hands. Anger pulsing behind his eyes. Humiliation. Betrayal. It was pouring through his lungs like the salty gulps of the ocean. Along with the strange paradoxical feeling and fucked up- almost- happiness- of being right about something awful- 

 

His knee gave in and that's when his eyes blinked open back to the present and he realized he had no idea where in the hell he was.

 

He was just a sniffling little kid. Nathaniel's bangs clung to his wet and reddened cheeks like strings of red wire. He could barely hold himself still. What would he do. What would he do. What would he do. He was scared. He was mad. He was mad. He was scared. He was heartbroken.

 

Nathaniel's hands found their way to his shoulders, gripping himself tightly. 

 

"You keep it. You can give it back to the author later today. In person."

"It's my dream come true. This isn't some kind of prank, is it, Marinette?"

 

"You were trying to make a fool of me, weren't you..?!" He pointed at the camera. Marc's widened eyes set a fiery chill up his spine. Part of a ploy. All part of some, some, some fuckin' ploy..! "Do you think it's funny to toy with my feelings?"

"No, not at all! I-I just want.. to make.. a comic book, if you want to, that is..!"

A fucking COMIC book? And what he said after...

 

Nathaniel stifled a painful gulp as he mulled over it all.

 

Oh Marc, I'm sorry, I'm a fucking dick. But soon anger began to well up in his throat again. Marinette was trying to set up some recording of me... fucking with me..! Show off that I'm an idiot in front of, in front of Marc. My god, me calling out for Ladybug in front of them. He felt humiliation rise like bile. 

 

Course it was some prank... stupid Nathaniel... stupid Nathaniel with a stupid- He banged his fists against his head. -STUPID crush... on some cool guy he, I just met- stupid- stupid- and she was recording me too- course she feels that way, after, and, UGH!

 

"FFffuUUGHhhkckk.." Nathaniel grimaced, "I'm such an idiot for trusting... god I'm fucking stupid..!"

 

He clambered out his phone aggressively, but felt his tears well up again for some reason. He grimaced, curled up against the steps of some shop. What was he gonna do? Text home...? No. No he, well, what if she... no. No he needed... he needed his best friend, even if it was just in a text or call..

 

He breathed in and texted Alix.

 

Tomatobrand: alix can i talk w/ you pls if youre not busy

 

He was about to close his phone when he yiped seeing not a response but Alix's caller ID, ringing up a stir with the eruptive and very ludicrously inappropriate song she had chosen for herself as her ring tone on his phone. 

 

Nathaniel swiped answer and quickly held it up to his ear.

 

"H- Hello? Alix?"

 

"Nath!- Nath dude, you okay? You sound, you sound, not good- you good? What's up what do you need?"

 

"N-Nothing I just.." He began, but his paranoia, his anger, his everything. It was all still there, crawling on him, weighing over his shoulders like some giant bug. Nathaniel gulped down his pride to accept the rawness in his chest as he leant over his phone weakly. "I, are you busy? I just, I need, I need some to really talk to right now."

 

"...No, no I'm not busy- I'm good, yeah- Where do you want to meet up?"

 

"M-Meet up?" Nathaniel guffawed, he shook his head rapidly. But he was beginning to cry again. "N-No we don't have to meet up! Don't worry yourself over me that much it- it's fine I don't want to bother you, it-"

 

"Nath." There was an immediate reaction he had, hearing Alix's voice in the tone it was in. It was soft. Softer than he'd ever heard it. Kind. Filled with so much sincerity it felt out of character. And then it was so gracefully and intelligently followed with a- "You stupid fucking dummy. Just tell me where you want to meet up you hear? I'll beat you there."

 

Nathaniel sighed. Yup. Should've expected that much. He smiled. He couldn't ask for a better friend..

 

"Meet me at the Louvre..?" He asked, pinching the space weakly between his eyes. "I just, I really need someone to talk to right now."

 

"On it. See you there, dude." The call ended there and Nathaniel found himself staring at himself in the black mirror of his screen. His face pulled to a weak frown. Nathaniel did his best to collect himself, snuffing the flames in his chest. But even embers had a heat to them as he made his way to the only salvation that could save him.

 

And knocking on the door to Mr Kubdel's office, he'd never been more happier to be beaten to the Louvre.

 

"Hey dude, there you are. I beat you by-" Alix flicked open her pocket watch and giggled, "-like ten minutes."

 

"What? No way." Nathaniel scoffed. Alix shook her head, puffing her chest up with a bit of pride.

 

"Yes way. I know things. Time things. I'm great at time things. Like beating people to places." Alix snickered, crossing her arms as she smoothily tucked that little pocket watch back into her pocket. Nathaniel always thought that watch was cool. "Cause I'm fast as hell, dude. You know it."

 

"Yeah yeah. Well you're the one with skates on all the time. I ought to believe you sleep with them on." Nathaniel dryly remarked, leaning back as Alix skated past him on her heelies, he screwed his eyes for a moment. "Didn't you have roller derby today?" 

 

"Oh I did." She said with a shrug, it was awfully quiet in the Louvre for once. Where did everyone go? Alix looked over her shoulder casually, "I just left early to come here."

 

"You did what!?" Nathaniel sputtered, he shook his head rapidly. "Alix you didn't have to do that!" 

 

"Meh meh." Alix said, pushing past it faster than he wanted to. Not even asking why. His best friend just gave him a lazy little smile and went on to drawl out, "It just made sense to me, so I did it."

 

Nathaniel sighed, following after her with a little smile as the tension based knot in his shoulders began to lessen. He followed her around, until they came to the quietest spot. How lucky of him, an artist, that he became friends with the girl who lived around the past's masterpieces.

 

The Louvre became almost a second home now. He had memorized it's layout as deeply as Alix had. It felt like it had it's own soul, Alix once said. Though she quickly passed it off as sounding ridiculous. But Nathaniel could see where she was coming from. The museum felt like it had it's own lungs, and they were all breathing that same air in.

 

Nathaniel took a seat in front of the many paintings that people would pay millions to see, and only briefly and mentally greeted them like old friends as Alix drew circles around him on those wheels of hers. 

 

He stared at her. She'd been getting closer to Chloe recently hadn't she. Nathaniel wasn't sure where to put his opinion on that. And perhaps he held grudges long, or he was just unsure, but whatever he had, he had also known with equal unsureness that his best friend and the blonde had a bit of a history hadn't they.

 

Nathaniel had met Alix just a year or two after her mom died, and according to what Alix had told him in the briefest of uncomfortable summaries; "Yeah, I mean we're getting a long well again, but like, after my mom died and her mom left, me and Chlo-e. Chloe. We just, didn't mesh anymore. We had too much shit after that. She dropped... no... we sorta... dropped each other. It's complicated."

 

It's complicated, she says. Nathaniel blew a piece of hair from his face.

 

"You want to talk now?" Alix asked. He blinked away from his thoughts and sighed, nodding thankfully as he watched her pass by. No need to make eye contact, no need to be 100% in control, no need to be perfect, just speak, just be heard, that was their understanding of each other.

 

"Marinette told me, no, she, she gave me this, dumb, fucking story book thing today." Nathaniel mumbled. Alix let out a bark of light laughter.

 

"Oh yeah? Did it suck? What was it? Was it smut?"

 

"What? N- No!" Nathaniel scoffed, his shoulders slowly rising as his head drooped beneath them. "It was... 'The Diary of Ladybug'." 

 

"Woah what? Seriously." Alix nearly stopped, eyes a little wide. "Where'd she get that? Was that real? Was it actually by Ladybug?"

 

"I thought it was! Or well, I was wondering that too." Nathaniel replied loudly, before grunting. "There wasn't any author written on it, but then Marinette started getting all mYSTERious and talking about how this author wanted to meet me and... the writing was... really good. So... I actually thought it... was."

 

"Oh huh." Alix thought, before her eyes widened and little, and she looked at him long. But instead of any guesses, she just said, "Continue?"

 

Nathaniel sighed, as he felt it all rushing back to him. Hope, fear, confusion, betrayal, anger, anger, anger, anger. He grunted, beginning to sketch angry lines across his paper. Smears of graphite. Like his smears of tears.

 

"It was Marc." Nathaniel began, his words beginning to slow. "It was Marc's book. And I fucking, embarrassed myself in front of them..!" His hands beginning to shake. "And then, I saw, Marinette fucking recording me. She was recording me, to fucking, make fun of me probably cause I embarrassed myself in front of Marc they, it was, they both probably- she must've roped him in on- some big, ploy, she probably knew I-"

 

"Hey, woah, easy dude.." Alix's voice came to soothe. "Take a deep breath for me, Nath? Like, real big? Till your about to pop?" He slowly did, his cheeks puffing up a little as he copied Alix's rising hand motion, before she let them fall with her voice. "-And breathe out dude, there you go."

 

Nathaniel let out a heavy sigh, his body feeling like mush. 

 

"I yelled at Marc. No not just that. I... really lashed out on them. I think I... ripped his book." Nathaniel covered his face, on the verge of tears. "I'm a fucking bully. Why am I always such a dick... and MARINETTE..!"

 

"Hey now.." Alix rose her hands gently at him. Taking the pencil from his hands momentarily as she stopped himself from scratching through the papers. Her gaze was focused hard on him, forcing him to focus back. "You're not a dick. Sometimes when you're mad, you lose it. That's not an evil thing dude, it's out of your control, we know this.."

 

"I guess..." He sighed.

 

"You're right," Alix began slowly. "Maybe you should've given him a chance to explain. But you were really wrapped up in it. But also Marinette..? Maybe? You should also give her some chance to explain too? And this isn't me being 'biased' cause she's my friend this is just my opinion. Just think; Does Marinette sound like the girl to do that kind of thing? Making fun of people?"

 

Nathaniel grimaced, taking his pencil back.

 

"She just wanted to tease me.. like everybody else.. it's been a shit day already and I just knew she was...was...” Nathaniel muttered bitterly, clutching her pencil tightly before his eyebrows knitted together with thought. He slumped. ”Okay.. You think I maybe jumped the gun a bit?”

 

"I think you should talk to him." Alix said, her voice a tad softer than her normal huffs and puffs. It was filled with sincerity. Nathaniel looked up from his notepad and sighed. He was about to open his mouth to respond-

 

And then in a loud crash, the two turned with wide eyes, as the heroes of Paris stumbled in.

 

“NATHANIEL!" Ladybug exclaimed with wide wild eyes. Panthera's jacket around her shoulders and leaves stuck in her hair. "Ow- we need- Ow- fuck fuck fuck- I got it- no Panthera I'm fine- Nathaniel! Nathaniel we need your- we need your hElp!”

 

Seriously they were like stumbling stumbling, like, wow Nathaniel’s celebrity crush has never died that quickly after seeing Ladybug fall flat on her face like a good fifteen times before she made her way over to the two and He could see Panthera politely-and strangely enough- quietly following behind the red clad hero.

 

Finally making her way over, completely out of breath, Ladybug fumbled out with her yoyo and- you know, this clutz stuff reminded him of someone- and then she pulled up the news cast-

 

“It's been confirmed, ten thousand tons of garbage have just been released from space and are about to rain down on Paris."  Nadja announced nervously. "Unless Mayor Bourgeois cancels the process, the city will soon be under a mountain of trash. The man behind the chaos: Supervillain Reverser has given an ultimatum.” 

 

Nathaniel's chest plummeted at the words 'super villain', and it only dropped further seeing Marc’s corrupted form fly on screen, form split and monochrome. Nathaniel felt utterly terrible. Oh god. Marc was so pissed off at him..

 

"Ladybug, Panthera Noire..." The akuma growled, pointing at the screen menacingly. "I command you to deliver Nathaniel and Marinette to me, right now! Along with your miraculouses! Or else you'll rue the day you were BORN!"

 

“Oh that doesn't sound good." Alix simply blurted out. Yeah no shit ALIX. 

 

“We have to try and talk to him. And we're gonna need you, Nathaniel!” Ladybug exclaimed determinedly as she turned to the red head. Alix and Nathaniel stared wide eyed at the ladybug heroine. Wait what. HUH?

 

"You're actually taking him!?" Alix shouted with distress.

 

"Wait wait wait m-Me?" He sputtered. Oh no. No no no no please. He's all tapped out. He can't do more interactions today please don't make him talk to the akuma. That'll be emotional hell. "I- I can't. I can't do that. I can't!"

 

"Look! He ain't going unless he wants to, got it!?" Alix's voice rose with intensity. Nathaniel's mouth fell at Alix's passion but also with terror that his best friend looked like she was about to fight the HEROES OF PARIS- and- and for him- awe. BUT ALIX NO- "I mean? What about Marinette! Aren't you worried about her too?"

 

Ladybug cringed, teeth grinding together for a moment before she shook her head.

 

“We don't have time! Reverser will have to settle for just Nathaniel!” Ladybug exclaimed, turning to him with wide, manic like eyes. "It seems Reverser wants him most anyways! And if we have any chance at winning, we need it. I can barely get a stable step in, and without Panthera's voice we can't use cataclysm. Please, we need your help, Nathaniel." 

 

The heroes, needed his help. God why did that make his stomach utterly drop. He had to help! Duh! Staring at the now, explained-ly silent, Panthera who nodded in muted and worried form, he felt this ache of responsibility for mistakes now, but that didn't stop the fear in his head.

 

Alix glanced between them all and grimaced.

 

"I'm coming too then!" She shouted. Nathaniel spun around to stare at her with mortified eyes.

 

“W-what? Alix what are you talking about no way!” He sputtered with shock. Alix didn’t meet his gaze though, crossing her arms determinedly as her lips were pressed onto a neutral but hardened expression.

 

“No way! It's too dangerous!” Ladybug shouted, her presence- despite being shorter than Nathaniel- making her loom over the two with her suddenly returned air of strength and authority. She was power. Since when was she this scary? "We shouldn't risk more lives than we need."

 

"Oh so you're risking his life then? Yeah no, sorry. And you can argue all you want but I've got two arguments for ya." Alix grinned, holding up her hands in a rebellious peace sign that she held in front of her with pride. "One, you two clearly need a helping hand, and you haven't even realized how cool I am!- And two, Nathaniel is my friend. Where he goes? I go."

 

She gave him an encouraging smile and put a supportive hand on his back.

 

"I'm never dropping him."

 

...

 

They called a cab to meet Reverser at the Eiffel Tower and the drive was, uncomfortably long. Alix had never imagined, like, woah, to be in the same close vicinity as the HEROES OF PARIS like this! But uh, with the tension, and the fact he was partially to blame for the akuma, uh, yknow, yeah it, yeah.

 

Still though, when she made eye contact with Nathaniel, they were at least both sharing the same looks of manic 'holy shit we're with the heroes of paris'. Nathaniel even silently dared her to ask Panthera for a selfie and you bet your ass she totally did.

 

It was a bit awkward since Ladybug had initially objected but Panthera, despite being completely and uncomfortably silent, still nodded a happy 'yes' and held up a piece sign with Alix who stuck her tongue out crazily. It was great.

 

But fun car times was not for long as they finally pulled to a stop. Ladybug thanked the man for a ride and they all clambered out at different paces and when Ladybug tried to take a step out of the car and immediately was yanked backwards by her yoyo and freeing it sent her cracking into the cement- yeah Alix offered quick to be her human crutch.

 

They stared up at the setting sky and it was Alix who noticed the peculiarity quick.

 

"That's strange," Alix said, slowly squinting up at the strangely sparkling sky. "The star's are out... early? Wait- Do we even get stars? I'm not an astrology bitch."

 

Ladybug shook her head grimly.

 

"Those aren't stars!" She exclaimed, "Those are the giant trash containers released by Mayor Bourgeois that are re-entering the atmosphere! In just a few minutes, it'll be like having a meteor shower, except with dumpsters instead!"

 

"I..." Alix blinked, her head swiveling between the sky and the hero like she had grown a second head. "..What? I- wheh- what? What? What? What the fuck do you mean by that? What? I don't, what? That makes no sense what are you saying?"

 

That's right Alix. That does make no sense. This will never be brought up again.

 

"What? Who's saying that? What?" Alix spun around. Uh oh. Anyways. LOOK IT'S REVERSER! 

 

The group gasped as they spotted Reverser and his glider, slowly swirling high above, peering down at them with a grimacing look in their eyes before letting out a low, but soon, rising malevolent cackle.

 

"So Nathaniel! You've finally come!" Reverser bellowed. They smirked, beginning to wave a hand as they looked down at them all. "I've waited long and excitedly for you. I could hardly sit still!"

 

"Haha he said hard."

 

"When I first saw your art, my eyes were opened up. You inspired me deeply, and I saw you as someone to look up to. The idea someone as cool as you at my school, I had formatted this painting in my mind of who you were. And I was astounded to finally meet you. My heart burst, as I blah blahblah blah blah-"

 

Though Nathaniel was completely enraptured, nervous, and enthralled by Reverser's speech, Alix had started to grow tired of it. Unsure what they were even saying anymore. Alix looked warily at Ladybug who had also taken the opportunity to do others as she whispered something under her breath.

 

"Lucky charm..."

 

Alix's eyes widened as a soft red glowed beneath Ladybug's hands, gripped tightly as it formed before her hand loosened to accommodate the newly created object in her grasp. Ladybug peered down to look what she made and her eyes screwed with confusion.

 

"A hairspray can? What am I supposed to do with this?" Ladybug thought aloud, her eyes beginning to flick around. At some point hitting Alix and smiling wide at her, adding a wink. Yeah, Alix had no fucking clue what she was gonna do. Seriously these plans were ridiculous I mean, when is there gonna be a simple plan? 

 

"L-Ladybug what do we do?" Nathaniel whimpered out fearfully, turning to the hero who was now tucking the can into the jacket's inside pocket. "I don't want to be reversed..!"

 

"Don't worry I got a simple plan!" Ladybug shouted. Well fuck me. Alix mentally deadpanned, face palming to herself a little as Ladybug hobbled her way over to a line of traffic cones near the street. She lifted it up, using it as a megaphone somehow and shouting out- "Reverser! We hear you loud and clear, and I've got a deal for you. I'm gonna hand Panthera to you now! In exchange, you'll reverse Mayor Bourgeois to order the dumpsters back out into space! Only then will I give my miraculous, Nathaniel, and Marinette!"

 

Alix gawked at that. How could-! She turned to look for Panthera's reaction, she had to have been mad she was being sold out right? But she was surprised to see a look of straight calm across the cat hero's face.

 

Not even a twitch of offense, just a simple raised eyebrow of curiosity. Ladybug let her megaphone drop to her side and Alix watched as Panthera's eyes followed it. Alix curved her teeth into her lip as she watched Ladybug seem to spell out something with her hand- Panthera's ear twitched and she looked away.

 

Was, was that a yes? Alix didn't realize how vocal Panthera was usually until she was forcefully shut up. Alix kinda hated it actually, she liked the comfort of Panthera's voice sniping and purring. Her eyes turned back to Reverser who was grimacing.

 

"BUT I WANT NATHANIEL NOW! All I want is to reverse Nathaniel so he'll have no choice but to make a comic book with me!" They demanded. Ladybug's eyebrows furrowed, thinking for a second as she bit into her thumb before raising the cone again.

 

"Fine then! I'll send him up with you!"

 

Alix tensed, protectively throwing an arm in front of her best friend. But as Reverser grinned, Ladybug turned to them with a trusting smile, approaching the two of them with a hushed tone, leaning close.

 

"Alix, do you by chance have a lighter?" Ladybug asked carefully. Alix blinked wide eyed at her. And suddenly. She understood. Oh yes. She understood deeply. Her hands shaking, quivering with anticipation, excitement, and what fell like a rush of manic energy that had processed her- she reached down into her pocket.

 

Her fingers found cold steel and she wrapped her hand around it, bringing it out and pressing it into Ladybug's palm and Ladybug smiled at her. She turned to Panthera who had approached with a careful stare. Their hands clasped together.

 

"Trust me partner, this is going to work." Ladybug whispered, and Alix watched as their hands parted and the lighter had suddenly disappeared from Ladybug's into Panthera's, and with just a swish of the hand, Panthera threw her jacket back over her shoulders and Alix saw the can had disappeared from Ladybug's hands too.

 

"Holy shit..." Alix murmured. 

 

"Go on, Nathaniel, don't worry." Ladybug reassured him, placing the yoyo into his hands. Nathaniel stared worriedly at her and Alix. Alix nodded determinedly at him and his shoulders untensed, nodding, and following Panthera into the elevator. Alix watched as Ladybug stepped back, staring up as the elevator made its way upwards and she stared long at the hero.

 

Alix would lie about this, but the truth was, she was a hero fan. The way Ladybug and Panthera worked together, making some weird wack ass plan work, it was admirable. And stupid. Admirably stupid. But also, extremely cool.

 

Eh. Alix said, nodding to herself. Yeah I'd make a cool hero too. Hah.

 

..Heh.

 

"Panthera and Nathaniel are on their way!" Ladybug shouted into her 'megaphone'. "Return Mayor Bourgeois back and stop the space dumpsters!"

 

Reverser's eyes dated from the rising elevator and back to her.

 

"If you try to trick me, it'll cost you, dearly." He growled. Alix's eyebrows furrowed at that, daring them to try it, but Ladybug just brought out a lazy little grin, giving a half hearted shrug as the elevator reached higher and higher.

 

"What tricks do you actually think I can pull, Reverser? With the scaredy cat and me, super klutz, we don't stand a chance!" Ladybug shouted upwards. Reverser's eyes narrowed warily at her, airplane formulating in their palm as they turned to look at the opening doors and their face dropped with horror.

 

"WHAT IN THE-!" 

 

"NOW PANTHERA!" Nathaniel grimaced, a fire in his eyes, ducking downwards. Panthera's wild, unhinged grin wide and glowing as she held up the hairspray- lighter in hand, and flames blasting outwards. Reverser shrieked as she burst forward, taking the yoyo out of her mouth, taking it around her waist, and slamming into Reverser's body.

 

She aimed it downwards, right onto his glider, setting it ablaze beneath their feet. It burned into ash, shriveling up before exploding into scattered cinders. Reverser glared down at her with rage and she met it back with a smirk- mouthing one word;

 

"boom"

 

Reverser fell backwards into the air, screaming with shock. Panthera wordlessly dived after them, spinning around them and grabbing hold-! Alix watched as she caught herself mid fall, spiraling the string around her as she swung around the tower. Despite the rescue, Reverser wrestled against her, a struggle flying through the air- And suddenly, Panthera threw something down.

 

Ladybug reached out to grab it, but squeaked as it punted her straight in the head. The clutz!- Alix's eyes widened and she dove upwards to catch it. Yes.! She looked down at it with confusion before realizing. The hair spray can! Ladybug rubbed her head achily before seeing her, smiling.

 

Alix offered it over but Ladybug clasped her hand over her's. Alix's eyes widened and she grinned. They threw it upwards together, shouting-

 

"MIRACULOUS LADYBUG!"

 

...

 

It was a pretty good day, all things considered. Juleka stretched out her jaw, letting out an ungodly loud yawn.

 

"Whew! Glad to be speaking again," She smiled, stretching her back and letting out a wonderful pop. Panthera turned to Ladybug and the others cheerfully. Marc and Nathaniel having been talking ever since Ladybug brought the two face to face again. How nice, Juleka thought, she was proud of them. And it's nice that there's another cisn't person in the club.

 

"I'm glad you're talking again too." Ladybug smiled, also stretching out before smiling brightly at her. "I like my kitty's voice."

 

"I'm flattered, bug." Panthera purred, "And I like it when my partner can stand on her two feet!"

 

"HEy!" 

 

Panthera let out a long stream of giggles, letting out a sigh. Panthera waved to the others, flashing a toothy smile.

 

"I'll be off now! Safe travels you guys!" She shouted, her friends turned and waved excitedly to her. Juleka blinked, oh right! Panthera flicked the lighter from her pocket and threw it over. "Here's your lighter back, Alix. Sorry about that. It's a good lighter though."

 

"Hwuh oh shit thanks!" Alix snatched it quick, she grinned at Nathaniel. "Hey dude, my lighter is Panthera approved now."

 

"Ah yes, your expensive fancy lighter. Joy." Nathaniel dryly remarked, eye peaking open as Marc let out a dorky little laugh, giggling over him. Juleka's ear twitched, a smile coming to her lips. She gave a small salute.

 

"Safe travels!"

 

Juleka sighed with relief as she bounded her way across Paris. The pink sunset light glowing against her cheek, coloring the Seine with the colors of strawberry lemonade. But to her surprise, she saw someone aboard the Liberty, waiting.

 

As swiftly as possible, Panthera dropped down into an alley and turned, shedding her transformation with a quick whisper and began to approach the Liberty with a quick skip in her step. 

 

"Rose?" Juleka stared concernedly at her girlfriend who was crying blubbery tears across her flushed red face. Rose turned seeing her, as she held her perfectly fixed bass in her arms. Juleka's head tilted a bit with worry, as she innocently asked, "Are you okay? What's wrong?"

 

"I'M SORRY I BROKE YOUR BASS,,," Rose sputtered, holding the fixed bass out in her arms. She sniffled a little messily. "I LOST CONTROL CAUSE OF, CAUSE OF MARC, I DIDN'T MEan TOoOOoo..."

 

"Oh" Juleka blinked. 

 

Juleka might've, forgotten about that. Ah. Wow. She blinked out of her stupor, staring down at her still crying Rose. God, what a kind individual her Rose was.. Juleka thought. She smiled at her. 

 

"Uh, yeah, no worries, hun." Juleka chuckled softly, scratching the back of her neck, "It's no worries. I swear. Why don't we go inside, have some dinner? Some hot chocolate together? Maybe dinner?"

 

Rose's eyes lit up a little, sniffling. She nodded slowly.

 

"Yeah," She croaked, wiping a few blobs of tears away. Rose's heart always burst for others, it made Juleka feel so loved. How did she get so lucky. "Sounds,, snff,,, sounds amazing... Jules."

 

"Alright, let's go then, together." Juleka reached a hand out, as they went inside. Their hands intertwined, they entered the dreams they made for themselves. Juleka turned her head towards her, "Is that sleepover planned for next Friday still on?"

 

"Oh? Oh you bet!" Rose giggled, wiping the rest of her tears away as a new bounce entered her step. "I've got scary movies ready and everything!"

 

"Oh no, I hope you don't get a niiightmaaaare." Juleka drawled spookily, making the other girl let out another squeal of amusement as the two entered inside the warmth of the Liberty's ship.

 

If only that was the joke she had simply hoped to tell.

 

 

Notes:

if the part between ladybug falling in the scene to juleka gets hit sucks dick thats on me, i worked on it for multiple hours and then it deleted itself so i sort of save up there cause i wanted to die haha

also alix and nathaniel friendship supremacy

also cat trans always has been

Chapter 66: Sandboy

Summary:

cw/ memories of child abuse and some severe ouchie ouchies, lots of, fighting, stuff, yeah, it, there's some issues going on. uh, a bit of arachnophobia?

how appropriate for Hallows Eve

if you wanna skip the worst one, once you see ♤...♤ thats when you skip until you find another ♤...♤

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Sunsets marked the end of a day, didn't it. It marked that, that day, was done, and would never be repeated every again. They were a closed chapter colored in red and orange hues that burned the sky bright like a wildfire before it too was smothered into blacks and blues like smoke. It was beautiful. And soon it would promise itself until a soft morning. 

 

And when she was lucky, she'd catch her eyes upon the crows that embarked their unknown journeys across the red sky. Cutting their lines like needles through fabric. Juleka wondered which ones were for her. Which murder she'd denied the feast of, and which ones she always saw on the porch of the Liberty during the dew dropped early mornings, to which she'd feed what she could.

 

Perhaps Juleka was getting too poetic about it, she thought. But it was the truth, really. She quite loved the way sunsets looked, especially against her view of the Seine and when she was on ladyblog duty with that bulky camera in her hands, she'd always snap a few pics when she could- much to Alya's delights. But there was another reason she was watching the sunset like a hawk. And after a bit too long of standing breathlessly still, Plagg swirled over her shoulder, eyes twinkling green.

 

"Something smells funny with you today," He remarked. As if he could say that. He was looking just as anxious, for some reason. She wouldn't comment on it though, who knew what a god had to worry about. And if picking on her a little made him feel a little less stressed she'd let him. 

 

"It's nothing, Plagg. Don't worry." Juleka replied, parting a hand through her hair uneasily. Her eyes closed, shaking herself a little. Maybe it'd shake her heebie jeebies out. "Just... I'm just waiting on when I should head to Rose's. I don't, I mean I don't wanna, show up too early or... we didn't really set a time.."

 

"Why so scared?" Plagg asked, his tail flicking around. She watched as he flipped upside down at her, letting out a long stupid kitty giggle. "It's just your guuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrllll friend~! I mean she liked it when you showed up at her window uninvited as a leather cat-"

 

"Oh shut..." She shoved his tiny face away with two fingers, watching as he spun back a little to nuzzle into her cheek. Juleka felt her face melt into a little smile, eyes closing as she leaned into little rub. Feeling the small purr emanating from the tiny cat. "Something about tonight just feels strange..."

 

"Well..." Plagg began but he was soon cut off by a boisterous greeting.

 

"Jules!"

 

"Ma!" Juleka looked up with a lit up smile. She watched her mother approach her with a cheerful look. She closed her eyes happily as the pirate pressed a little pecking kiss to her forehead and ruffled the locks of her black streams of hair before joining her on her leaning against the railing. 

 

"Ahoy, Plagg." Anarka crowed to the small cat god. 

 

"Yo."

 

"What's your plans wit Rose tonight, Jules?" Anarka asked curiously. Juleka hummed anxiously, fiddling with the end of her hair.

 

"Thinkin' about bringing some of our old horror movies..." Juleka said, her voice a little murmur despite the excitement thrumming beneath, letting out a light giggle from her curved up lips. "Rose loves them a lot. So I thought that'd be nice... right?"

 

"Aye! Sounds like lots o' fun!" Anarka agreed cheerfully. Juleka nodded with a light 'mm!' before falling to comfortable silence again. The two watched as the Seine in it's glittery form, and Paris itself, was swamped with colors of deep amber, before softening, and softening. 

 

Juleka's eyebrows furrowed as she stared at all of it. So many people in that city... yeah. A movie with her girlfriend it sounded amazing. But what if, what if she had to leave because of an akuma? What would she say? What if- Anarka spared a glance at her and could catch the picking against her gloves her daughter was doing, eyes a little farther than they usually were, and she leaned over to catch her gaze.

 

"Juleka," Anarka whispered carefully, snapping Juleka out of her thoughts. "Is everythin' okay?"

 

"What if an akuma happens?" Juleka rasped quietly. She looked up at her mom weakly. "I... I don't- I hate it when I have to... leave Rose. When it happens. It really, I hate, and what if, I don't like getting hurt either. And what if I'm not brave enough that day either..?"

 

"Brave enough?" Anarka parroted, her voice quieted. "Can you help me understand, Lass?"

 

Juleka slowly nodded, slowly was the key word, she wasn't even sure if her mom noticed, but if the silence was any to go by, she was just simply waiting for her. Waiting for as long as it needed to take for the goth. Juleka ran a thumb over her ring.

 

"The city- It... I have to be braver... than... than I am. Because that's how the city sees me," Juleka murmured. Her eyebrows knit together. "There's no, skipping out for me. The city needs the image Panthera holds. One where, she's brave, an-and stuff. Where she flirts, and can fight, and has advice all the time, I don't have that, all the time. I'm worried. What if... what if I can't hit that... w-what if.. and what if Rose, gets mad I'm out being Panthera instead of being with her..."

 

"Oh lass..." Anarka whispered. Juleka realized her breath had caught up a bit and she tried to calm it. She couldn't be all red eyed and weepy when she got to Rose's tonight... though she trusted Rose would be there for her... Juleka was just... terrified if... A hand found her shoulder and Juleka blinked up seeing her mom's grounding look. "Do you want a solution or something just comforting.?"

 

"Comforting." Juleka answered.

 

“Well... I think you're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” Anarka smiled, tapping her on the nose. "It's been a whole day, no akuma yet today, no? And I don' think an akuma is gonna just, spawn in the middle of the night so-"

 

"You'd be surprised." Plagg yawned grumpily. Anarka sent a sharp look at him making Juleka laugh. She appreciated it.

 

"Rose'll be asleep won't she..." Juleka figured, she adjusted the bag on her shoulder. She supposed that'd make sense... "And I'd be able to get back to the room before morning... she wouldn't notice..."

 

"Ahhhhh, there it is! No worries, hun. And when the time comes for you to tell her who you are, it'll be when you're ready, and I know she'll still accept you for that." Anarka grinned wildly at her, giving her a wink. "Now now, that's a lot of stuff to think about, so much stress, how about you just go have fun. Aye?"

 

"Aye." Juleka softly nodded, she smiled a little. "Thank you, Ma."

 

"Jules!"

 

Juleka found herself now at the door step of Rose's. Her mouth fell wide to answer but no words came out, just, too enscaped by awe to answer at the way the sunsetted hues colored her girlfriend's face. She always looked good in pink. Rose grinned wide, bouncing in place excitedly. 

 

"Come in come in!" Rose squealed, taking Juleka's hand. She looked like she was about to burst with joy seeing her. "Mom just left but before she did she left us those microwave popcorns and said we're allowed to bake in the kitchen!"

 

Juleka felt her lips curl up with a smile. She loved her so much.

 

...

 

"Now Brad and Janet. What do you think of him?"

"Well I... don't men with too many muscles..."

"I didn't make him... for you!"

 

"How is this a horror movie?" Rose asked curiously, her sleepy voice drawled out like warm molasses against Juleka's skin. She nuzzled closer to Juleka with a long giggle. Their bodies clasped together like hands. Rose was laying halfway over Juleka's torso, leg straddling over the taller girl's, soft blanket thrown over them. "I'm still loving it but it said horror and now I'm all riled up and spooked to see what's gonna happen.." 

 

"Shh," Juleka shoveled more popcorn into her mouth, a little too giddy for the rest of the movie, gesturing lightly by tapping Rose on the shoulder insistently. "Jush waigh just waight just waiht."

 

So they waited through a song Rose found herself giggling with. Whenever Rose giggled, it sent sparks flying up Juleka's chest to hear. 

 

"He's the manwhore, malewife, and mansplain." Rose commented.

 

"Yup." Juleka nodded.

 

"The way he's reacting to those muscles are how I feel about you."

 

"Awe." Juleka cooed, looking over at her amusedly. "If I was your lab experiment would you still give me muscles?"

 

"Absolutely."

 

"Sick." Juleka did a small air punch to herself, making Rose laugh. Rose was suddenly delighted with wide eyes as a new character appeared on screen. Her eyes wide with interest as the screen lit up her eyes.

 

Juleka had already watched the movie before and so her smile melted into something slower as her eyes dew to stare more at Rose's reactions. The way her eyes flicked over the screen, taking short moment to pull some popcorn from their shared bowl, lips curving upwards as the character sang his heart out about rock and roll.

 

They'd already gone through about three other movies since their night together had started, and it was so perfect. Juleka's smile widened as the song began to drone to it's close she had noticed and she watched as Rose's eyes widened and-

 

"Oh my god!" Rose squeaked, nearly jumping off the bed as they watched gender icon alien Tim Curry kill the suddenly appeared punk guy in the giant freezer he appeared from. Rose squealed, "I DIDN'T EXPECT THAT AFTER THE NICE MUSICAL NUMBER!"

 

"PffFfFFFeehhsehse-"

 

"God that giggle is adorable buT JULES YOU DIDN'T PREPARE ME!" Rose snatched up her fists into Juleka's baggy shirt, shaking her as much as she could only making the gasps of laughter from her girlfriend jump up louder and louder. 

 

"I warned you- I super warned you-!" Juleka snorted. Letting out a hiccup.

 

The movie went on, and the two grew more and more sleepy. Eyes wide and enraptured with the colors on screen. Rose's shouts of reaction and exclamation the only thing really keeping Juleka awake, even though the one drawing her closer and closer to sleep was the blonde herself. Yes, Juleka smiled. What did she worry about? This was the perfect night. No issues to talk about, just pure escapism with her love.

 

It was amazing. Yes. She, she felt safe. Sounded dumb, as they watched a movie musical about a Tim Curry Groupie Cult giving the craziest queer awakenings of a straight laced couple's lives, but, it did. It felt safe here, wrapped in Rose's arms. 

 

"How are those cupcakes settling in you?" Rose asked curiously, combing a hand through Juleka's hair. Tangling those pretty fingers through it like a curtain of black. Juleka stared up at it for a moment. Entranced by the way it looked. Like spiderwebs almost.. Juleka smiled at that. She liked how long her hair was. It made her feel, pretty. 

 

"After you spilt salt in it?" Juleka snorted, tapping her on the nose. Rose's face puffed up with a pout, making Juleka's fangy grin just stretch even more seeing it. "Delicious. 10/10, Madame. You're such a chef."

 

"Hey!"

 

"Shh look there's more." Juleka quickly distracted, much to Rose's pouts and complains before she was once more taken in by the movie.

 

And so the movie went on, and then it ended. The words, "Don't dream it, be it," echoing, even after the credits ended, as she sleepily clicked off the tv and the two moved upstairs. Sharing their brief words about the movie, hip attached to hip, arms linked to arm.

 

She could see Plagg's faint silhouette in the darkness of the house ever so often, but no more now, no doubt asleep somewhere. It was around, what it seemed to be, jeez, it was around one AM. Juleka could really feel it now as she crashed against Rose's bed. Phone falling- somewhere. Her limbs felt like they weighed a thousand pounds. It was like a sea of softness. 

 

Her eyes felt like they were carrying sandbags, and staring into the light now that her gaze had basked into the cool and comfortable darkness, was uncomfortable to stare into. Even the light from the outside open window, had been slightly stinging. In it's golden strange glow. Juleka glanced up to where Rose stood sleepily next to the bed, her hand swirling circles on her arm.

 

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom real quick,," Rose yawned. Juleka just hummed in response, satisfied with waiting conceptually, though, she still grumbled disappointedly at the loss of the warm contact. 

 

Ma was right... Juleka felt her body slowly and kindly relax in Rose's bed, eyes fluttering to a close as she heard Rose move away. It smelt faintly like her girlfriend's strawberry shampoo. It smelt faintly like picnics. And it felt like her fingers were combing against comfort itself. Her eyes squeezed tighter when she heard the faint bathroom light click on, the uncomfortably bright light sinking through her eyelids a little. There was nothing to worry about... I'm happy I came- this was a great night...

 

A great.. night... Felt like such a kind dream... Juleka chuckled to herself sleepily, feeling this strange, drifting, ticklish feeling going over her. Strange- she was going to note but came more enamored with trailing her fingers over the pattern of one of Rose's stuffed animals.

 

She smiled at the texture beneath her fingers, the way the stitching changed, the fun to tap plastic eyes. It brought her a little tiny bit of joy to partake in. Then- Juleka felt her fingers twitch when she heard soft steps began to trail their way, slowly, to her.

 

But it was strange. Drawn out. Like Rose's feet were dragging themselves. Mmn, Rose doesn't walk like that... She thought sleepily, though, the reigns she had over her conscious thoughts were drifting a bit. She must be tired that's why.

 

The steps stopped. And she could feel a strange, weight, to the bed, and against her. Like someone was staring. Why wasn't Rose coming in? Why did she not hear the lights click off? She wanted to keep her eyes closed, so she wouldn't have to stare at that stinging light that would pull her from her restful slumber, but...

 

♤...♤

 

"Rose?" Juleka still decided to speak up, eyes slowly, drearily opening, like pulling her bodies from the sea of blankets she'd laid rest in before they snapped wide.

 

Her heart, if it could, would've shot right out of her chest. And for a brief moment, when she didn't process how much she could feel- her sweat- her chest twisting- the sheets now kicked away beneath her- and the light stinging into her vision- she would've thought, it was just another nightmare. Just another fucking nightmare.!

 

Because this made no sense. Not in this house, did this make sense. But there he was. There he fucking was, looming over looking eight feet tall. With limbs stretched like they'd been pulled to puddy. The lines that made his silhouetted, faceless, form looked like dried blood and charcoal that sputtered out ash with every heavy breath against her face- and hands- hands that were the only realistic part of him- reaching out and- and-

 

"aAAUGHhGH! GGHh.!" These hands were real. This squeezing around her throat was real. They felt grainy against her skin, burning against it and scraping it, painting red over her all over again. And she saw red. And she saw red. All in his eyes. THIS WAS ALL WRONG. THIS WAS SO WRONG- WHY WHY WHY-

 

The ceiling she stared up at, that she knew was painted pink began looking more and more bloody. Panic was flooding through her system. This was too real for her nightmares. But even when her eyes closed he was there. HE WAS THERE- HE WAS HERE- HE WAS HERE-

 

"Jules, wha's wrong?" It was like a thunderclap amidst the storm. The drop and splash of an anchor. Rose's sleepy voice still far off in the bathroom, the door was opening. Juleka opened her mouth that felt like cotton, and she realized she could not speak. And yet her body, so stricken with exhaustion, wasn't working as fast as she needed it to. 

 

"Ro-!" Juleka let out a strangled gasp, blood rushing to her head, it all hurt, it all hurt it all, it all hurt. She couldn't shout. She couldn't say anything. Was this worse than drowning? It felt the same. BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD- Her brain was screaming. FIGHT RUN FIGHT HELP HELP ME HELP- DIE DIE DIE-

 

"PlaughGH-!" Juleka choked as those hands pressed tight against her throat. She couldn't sob like this. Where was Plagg? The tears that fell down her cheeks were silent. Why did she ever feel safe existing? When this was reality? Why why why why why- Her claws were trying to shove away the hands around her throat. But it felt like digging through quick sand. Her hands slipping off and through. 

 

She was going to- to- to...

 

"GET THE FUCK OFF HER!"

 

Juleka gasped for air, the sensation burning the walls of her throat when claws released. A gulp of bile near jumping her throat that she swallowed down. A nauseating feeling wracking her brain, adrenaline racing through her blood. She fell back- not even realizing she'd been slowly raised- fighting for the oxygen that had drained from her lungs before she tried steadying herself to see what had happened.

 

And what she saw made her heart momentarily as she reprocessed what had occurred, who was here, and Rose who was holding a pair of scissors in her hands covered in what looked like black goop. The monster of her nightmares rising over Rose, replacing what rage that stained her girlfriend's face with a growing terror. And something in her fucking snapped.

 

It was in a blur of black and flickering gold that she launched herself madly forward. Screaming, screaming, screaming, until her vocal chords went raw. She felt her body painfully smash against the ground, the wall, the ceiling, multiple times but Juleka couldn't for the life of her know what she was doing. No. Not at all. It was all emotions and smoke in her chest now.

 

And Juleka just wanted to hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, HURT-

 

"JULEKA!"

 

♤...♤

 

Thud.

 

Juleka blinked, her sobs being the second thing to shock her, as the tears blinding her vision suddenly processed and she lifted her fist off the ground. She sniffled, and she felt herself clawing to wipe them away only for her hands to be parted from her cheeks, and replaced by the gentle kind touch of what she realized to be a warmed up, wet towel. Softly rubbing away tears, and what she realized, was sand that she was scratching against her face.

 

When her vision cleared, she looked down at her hands slowly, the pain not processing until she really saw it, along with what was below her. Where did he go? Where did he go? Was that- all fake? No- Juleka's hands went to her throat and she could feel those red and blue marks that had blossomed tender pain against her touch. Her heart began to race.

 

Where did- Then she slowly flipped her hands and saw the red discolored marks across her knuckles, and, the granular bits of golden sand strewn across it, and then she realized that all around her was that same cursed, scratch, substance.

 

"What in the..." Was what she was going to say. But all that came out really was this groan of tired, terrified confusion. She was hyper aware of everything in that room now, except the girl in front of her who she was barely processing as a person before she could stare at that golden glowed cheeks, those soft locks of blonde hair, and the concern filled sapphire eyes that were brimming with tears, and recognize them as Rose.

 

"Juleka," Rose's voice came, "It, that thing, it's gone now. It's gone. It burst into sand a while ago. You're, you're safe-"

 

Rose brought her into a hug then, but it didn't feel real. It felt, fuzzy, it felt, numb. And though Juleka shakily wrapped her arms around Rose's shoulders, she didn't feel the warmth she was clinging onto for. Digging her face into Rose's shoulder, she didn't feel the immediate release of all this tension, it was all, still, too much. Her dad had no face. He had no face. Red. Red Red red red. Red. Red. So much red. His hands. She couldn't, she couldn't breathe.

 

"Jules,?"

 

Juleka pulled away shakily, even though it felt like her body was on fire and she needed Rose as her cure. She pulled away because she needed to look at Rose and see if she was oaky. She was. No scratches. No blemishes against her perfect skin. Juleka meanwhile, felt near naked in the rawness she was in. Raw and in agony. Nothing felt good. Her voice failed her. Like it had done before.

 

"Jules, let's stand up together, o-okay?" Rose sounded scared but her voice felt so far away. Juleka still wanted to imagine she was dreaming. It would've been a safer result. Rose's hand clasped Juleka's own and it felt like a life line. "We should check the window-"

 

Juleka wanted to shake her head and scream. She didn't want to. She didn't want to. It would confirm her suspicions. And Rose was right here. She was right here and holding her and saw everything and she felt humiliated and wrong and wrong and wrong and this body was no longer hers and this body was still wrong and this world was still wrong and she was going to die she felt like she was going to die she was going to die.

 

But she still followed Rose to the window, and the two stepped out of it onto her balcony, and Juleka's eyes slowly opened and her dream's became a breathing nightmare that dripped down her back. God damn it.. God damn it there it all was. She was right. She hated being right. Her eyes closed. 

 

There was a fucking akuma.

 

And the street wouldn't stop fucking screaming. People running around like they were chickens with their heads chopped off. Abstract and literal fears taking flight. Chasing people across the way. And above it all, was this hauntingly awful tune. 

 

"The Sandboy just checked in..! Now Nightmares can Begin!"

 

"Nightmares? And all of this is... this is all.. nightmares..." Rose whispered, before yelping as she watched as the drifting particles of sand came upon her. But she shook her head, ignoring it to turn to her, "Juleka, if these are, all... then who was...?"

 

Juleka's hand detached from Rose's as if it was burning hot and Rose's face dropped, and her eyes began to swell with unforgivable tears that Juleka knew she had caused from her flinch. Rose reached out a hand still, offering, and Juleka stared long at it. Oh god. She wanted to take it so bad. She wanted it to feel safe. And for the rawness in her hands to stop hurting. For the panic to go away.

 

But it only reminded her of what needed to be done...

 

"Jules, come back, please." Rose pleaded, but that's when Juleka turned and ran.

 

...

 

Running out of Rose's house was the easiest part, god what a fucking understatement that was. Every shout of Rose's voice echoing numbly and deafly in Juleka's mind as every instinct to get out, get out, filled her through every cell in her DNA. She had to run. Get. Get out. Run. Out out out. Rose couldn't see her like this. No one could. This unlovable thing. This thing that belonged no where. This thing that had to stop this WHOLE thing. AND- AND WHERE WAS PLAGG!?

 

The concrete ripped at her shoeless soles. Juleka collapsed for a moment, leaning against the wall of a shop for a moment before shooting backwards seeing her red eyed reflection. She thought she saw- no- no she- and Rose- they- but- her- and- aUgh!-

 

"SORRY PLEASE EXCUSE ME AUGHHHHHHAHGGHHH!"

 

Juleka felt herself shoved to the side a little She made an incredulous face despite still reeling in shock and fear though she was silenced when she recognized it one, to be Kim in- was that- was that Lightning McQueen Pajamas? Chased by a- oh- Juleka watched as a panther was hot on Kim's heels.

 

Part of me is almost offended. She thought blankly.

 

Juleka stared at her hands slowly, they were shaking, uncontrollably. Hah. Hah. Why were they doing that now? Hah- she- she couldn't let that be happening- that- that was- Juleka tried to grab her wrist to stop it from fucking shaking but she could hardly even curl her fingers around it before a deafening explosion filled her ears.

 

She jumped with terror, head spinning around until she looked up to see a spinning helicopter crashing across a building. It scattered in pieces in an explosion of heat and... sparkles? Instead of fire it was spurting out clumps of, what looked like whipped cream? God. She hated this. 

 

"Shit," Juleka rasped. She wanted to go home. She understood what this akuma was. She did. She didn't like it. She didn't want any part of this. Juleka wanted to, to go home, she wanted to go home. Juleka hurriedly fished for her phone. Her heart dropped founding she'd left it at Rose's home. What would she do? What would she do?

 

Juleka's legs shuddered beneath her and she sunk down against the wall of the dark alleyway she'd backed herself into. Her knees pulling close to her chest. Everything was deafening to her. When would he come back? To try again? She could see eyes everywhere. He was going to come after her again. No doubt. She wasn't safe here. No one cared if she died here. What if. She. What if. He. She. What-

 

"Jules! JULES!"

 

"Plagg...!" Juleka looked up, her hands releasing from their grip at her arms and she realized she'd been slowly carving red marks into her skin. Ow. Ow ow ow... She stumbled to her feet, it hurt, blistered but she was sent quickly toppling back to the ground when Plagg dive bombed into her arms. She squeezed the small cat into her cheek, tears falling down her cheeks as the comfort of his purrs seeped into her bones.

 

The girl and her kwami just stayed like that momentarily. And for the first time since her reality shattered, she felt safe for a second, until her eyes snapped forward with fear as another scream shrieked through her system and Juleka forced herself to pull Plagg away to stare at him.

 

"Where were you?" Juleka rasped, or at least she thought she did. Maybe it turned out she said 'Càite an robh thu?' but it meant all the same to a god of destruction that knew all languages she supposed as his ears drooped.

 

"Me and the other kwamis, I'm sorry I was gonna tell you earlier today, but we had plans to celebrate Nooroo- the butterfly kwami-'s thirty-five hundredth cycle. And maybe even contact Nooroo completely!" Plagg wheezed out, clearly out of breath. He sighed, "But it went super wrong! And your favorite godly friend got sent for a chase by the worst kind of  little Victorian ghost boy..."

 

"Cycle...?" Juleka parroted, she shook her head tearfully, her hands quivering. "Plagg, I won't ask, but I need to transform... I- I want to go home."

 

Plagg looked on her long moment, but not of out hesitation. Just... peering at her, checking over her, those big emerald eyes widening at the red marks around her throat. His ears flattened against his head, eyes thinning.

 

"Who did this to you?" He hissed. It was so threatening for his size. His voice rippling and Juleka nearly backed up and she swore she could hear voices. Yes. Voices. More voices than a creature should own. And weirder they felt familiar. Even though she'd never heard them before. But Juleka wouldn't think over it-

 

"Please Plagg, I forgot my phone at Rose's, I need to call Luka or, or something, I..." Juleka covered her face. She didn't want to explain. She didn't want to say anything. And Plagg understood, floating down to take her hand and lifting up to him.

 

"Say the words. And we'll get out of here." Plagg whispered. But it was a broken promise, because after Juleka transformed, that overwhelmingly warm feeling of being Panthera fading off from its initial consistent starter rush, she flipped open her staff and saw texts.

 

Many, from Rose that seemed to cut off- no doubt at the realization Juleka left her phone with her. But also, at a still continuing rate, from Luka. Panthera's hair bristled as she spanned through the texts quick and her mouth turned to cotton.

 

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: juleka

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: jules

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: jules text back righ tnow

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: juleka please

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: juleka are you okay

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: please text back 

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: juleka

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: theres an akuma juleka dont go out

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: dont come ohmne

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: home

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: the akuma it made the boat simk

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: me and ma are ok

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: and the cats 

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: i cant hear anything though im sorry it

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: jules please text back if youre ok

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: stay with rose where its safe

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: jules

 

juju: im ok

 

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: JULSESOYURE OKAY

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: THANKGOD

 

juju: yea

juju: i need to go save the akuma now

juju: and paris

 

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: no

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: no you dont

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: where is rose you dont have to leave her rn 

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: this akuma is making everuones nightmares happen

 

juju: yeah i know

juju: i already had to leave rose its fine

 

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: juleka i know youre not ok please get to safety

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: you dont have to fight

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: did he

 

juju: i have to go

juju: wish me luck

 

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: Jules no

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: jules?

Blubbabubbitchhhhh: JULES

 

Panthera's tail lashed behind her as she closed her messages with her brother. Her eyes heavy and stinging with tears as she moved to begin texting Ladybug, lips quivering and her neck still itching with a pained tenderness- she punched in her message quickly and efficiently.

 

It sent. And she took a breath, eyes looking down at her new view of Paris. There was not a light that wasn't off in this city. All tormented. All, hurting. And if she had to guess, Panthera knew others were suffering with shadows that wanted to consume them too. She stared herself in the reflection of her staff and felt her ears flatten with disgust at that familiar glitter of red in her irises.

 

She grimaced, closing her staff, and leapt off her perch to make her way to her planned destination. 

 

pantheranoire: akuma causes sand illusion nightmares

pantheranoire: they can cause extensive literal harm, we can't juggle fighting the akuma with saving civilians  

pantheranoire: meet me at fu's

pantheranoire: we need to get backup

pantheranoire: the illusions can be destroyed.

pantheranoire: safe travels, partner.

 

...

 

Nino was a brave guy. Yeah! Sure! Sure sure. At the very least, he could pretend he is. That was easy as pie in the form of actions that could prove it:

 

Puff out your chest, stand tall, be the example of a guy your little brother was supposed to be, be like your older brother you definitely don't compare yourself to every day, do stuff only crazy people do- though Kim had that covered for everyone he supposed- support your friends, and be their shield.

 

But in the grand scheme of things, Nino didn't feel brave at all. In fact, staring at himself in the mirror this late, or well he supposed, early, it was like one am after all- he felt pathetic looking at himself. Nino sighed.

 

Look at you, dude. He groaned mentally, rubbing at the space between his eyes. How did Ladybug even chose you as a hero. Well obviously cause you were the only dude around crazy enough to charge at...

 

He shivered. 

 

...A giant spider. God. He hated spiders. Why was Alya's sister a spider akuma? It had really only accentuated his fears since then. Like, yes, he beat the spider, but that was fucking scary as hell. That wasn't bravery or anything, Nino didn't let himself count that. After all.. he was just.. dumb.. party bubble guy.. Nino. Afraid of dumb fucking spiders... like a pathetic idiot...

 

Still not feeling so good about himself, he decided to take a nice breather from his window. So, walking his way out of the bathroom, Nino took a comfortable moment to stretch his back, before he slid the window up only to get-

 

"gAUGhghh- PFTthew PFTHeugh-" Nino coughed out pretty much a mouthful of- what the hell was this- sand??- that had launched in his voice and sent him tumbling backwards. He coughed out another mouthful, sputtering as he clawed his attempts to get it off his tongue. 

 

Gross! Dude what the hell man!

 

And then he heard something. He couldn't describe it. What was that sound? It was like crinkling paper in the water it made a near skittering ticker tinker tick. Like, dozens of needles walking across the tile. Nino slowly turned and his eyes widened with terror at what- in what looked like the thousands he saw- crawling out from the bathroom sink.

 

"WHAT THE FUCK!?"

 

"Nino! I'm here! Are you alone?!" Ladybug popped her head through the window to see Nino screaming with pants shitting terror. His eyes wide and blood shot as what looked like thousands of spiders began trying to crawl through his rug and up the desk he had jumped onto. 

 

Ladybug squeaked, launching her yoyo around his waist and yanking him out the window. A few spiders flying off his ankles as she leapt as far away from his house as possible. Nino shook his head, now processing the chaos of the outside and his head swiveled.

 

"L-Ladydude- I mean Ladybug!?" He sputtered with surprise. Ladybug turned to look at him and there was a wild terror in her eyes. Terror. She was scared too? Ladybug gave her best smile.

 

"Nice pajamas! Very... colorful!"

 

Nino blinked and looked down at himself with a bit of embarrassment. His impossible to look at sweatpants with, what he chose purposefully to be the most gaudiest clashing colors were his fun pants he liked wearing cause it made people laugh and gawk awfully at them. But now he just felt a bit silly. 

 

"Look man I just woke up..." Nino groaned, before shaking his head. From this dizzying height of the city, his eyes widened at the turned over cars, the sirens blaring off, the screams, and he realized where he was. Safe in Ladybug's arms. And so confusion hit. "Yo wait- why did you save me? I'm just, a civilian. You and Panthera gotta defeat the akuma!"

 

"We sure do," The came to a stop on a chimney, Ladybug gingerly setting him down- Was she always this short- and she smiled at him. It kinda, hit, in that moment. That Ladybug was a teen like him.

 

Was she scared too? No way, she couldn't be- he wanted to say. And then he imagined his home. The spiders were scary but his fears were more for them. Was Chris okay? What about his friends? Then he began wondering if Ladybug, this, godly figure, had some of that too? She had to. Then that means she did have to be a little scared.

 

It was all rushing to him when turned to stare back at Ladybug and his eyes widened to see, in his silent shock, a familiar box he hadn't seen in a long time, outstretched in her hand, and a trusting look on her face.

 

"Paris is in a lot of trouble tonight. We need a friendly shield to keep the nightmares at bay." Ladybug told him, voice pressing with importance, she smiled at him, "Can you do that for us, Carapace?"

 

Nino breathed in, and nodded.

 

"You got it dude!"

 

...

 

"Chloe?"

 

Her voice called out softly at a distance, but when Panthera heard the sound of panicked sobbing, she was ready to instantly quicken her step. Worry filling her chest as she looked under tables and in corners.

 

"Chloe? It's me, Panthera!" She called out again anxiously, her tail lashing behind her. Panthera's ears pricked upwards and she saw it. That hint of life. A leg sticking out of the bathroom and she was rushing to immediately open when the figure inside noticed and instantly shut the door before Panthera made it- causing her to slam against the door. 

 

Ow. Okay. Okay... Panthera stood outside that, very rich, door, and while it would be so easy to break it into splinters that would be no doubt terrifying and... and expensive... she bit her knuckle for a moment before gingerly knocking on the door.

 

"Queenie?" There was a shift behind the door. Panthera knocked again, "I don't know if you heard me before, but it's me, Panthera-"

 

"I heard you-!"

 

"Are you okay?" Panthera asked, her lips parted to speak again but she paused. What could she say that was gentle enough? "You don't, you don't have to open the door. I'm just, are you okay?-"

 

"How can I be okay when- when I look like- like this?!" There was a shriek in her tone that made Panthera's ears flatten against her head. Did, the sand change Chloe? Oh god- worst case scenario- no- Panthera shook her head and tried to put on a brave face. 

 

"May I see you?" Panthera asked gently, feeling the door shift a bit, she took that as initiative to take the knob in her hand and slowly pull it open. "I'm sure it's not that bad- I- I...."

 

"See!?" Chloe shouted, her voice torn, her face was flushed red with her tears. "It's BAD!" 

 

"I, no, Chloe, Chloe, having you looked at yourself?" Juleka unsurely asked, tilting her head a bit. She was squinting hard, and even if the lights were off in the bathroom and Juleka didn't have night vision, there didn't seem to be any actual differences between Chloe now vs Chloe usually. "You..."

 

"Of COURSE I've looked at myself! WHAT DO YOU THINK I'VE BEEN DOING!?" Chloe shrieked as she backed harder into the corner of the bathroom. She inhaled, her hands coming to rest over her eyes with shaking tears. Juleka waited a moment to let her get it out before she saw Chloe's hand part to point at the mirror. "Can't you see what I'm seeing?"

 

Panthera's ear twitched as she looked up and could see in the reflection, curled where Chloe was, was the same girl, except. Her hair was cut in a very awfully familiar and very awful looking in general sharp bob.

 

"Ah, I see," Is all Panthera said, before trailing her way next to Chloe and sitting down next to her. Her tail flicked with thought, before she wrapped an arm around Chloe's shoulder comfortingly, a hand finding its way to softly comb through curly blonde locks. "I'm sorry it bothers you to look at. It's.. hah- not very flattering..."

 

"I look like...!" Chloe's voice raised, before her face fell with humiliation. "What a dumb fucking nightmare isn't this, huh. I'm... I'm sorry. I'm a fucking waste of time here. It's dumb. It's fucking dumb. It's just- but she's so... and she still lives here- and she just-"

 

"Hey now." Juleka snapped sternly at her, catching the heiress's attention immediately. "Don't say that. Okay? Having issues with this, that is not a character flaw. That is based on trauma and is valid and not dumb. It causes you pain and that's a valid reason to be upset okay? Say okay so I know you're hearing me-"

 

"Okay!" Chloe squeaked, raising her hands a bit. The tension in her shoulders faded a little, and her eyes refocused on Panthera. Her eyebrows furrowing together a little, as she looked the cat hero up and down. "I- what are you doing here anyways?"

 

Panthera chewed the inside of her cheek before steeling herself. She stood up, slowly, and stretched out a hand for Chloe to take- which she did. Pulling from her pocket, Panthera presented a small box.

 

"It's your choice to make, Chloe. But there's others in the city getting tormented by nightmares too." Panthera whispered, Chloe's eyes widening at the realization over what was in her hands. Panthera smiled weakly, "I promised I'd bring her back to you for a visit. Are you, okay with helping out Paris today?"

 

Chloe took in a deep breath, and for a moment Panthera thought she saw hesitance but was just enveloped in a hug. Her ears pricked upwards but she wrapped her arms around her friend, squeezing her tight. 

 

"Alright-" She whispered, looking up. "And according to Bug, we just need one more person-"

 

...

 

"Stay inside, girls, there's an akuma!"

 

God and if there were any words that shot Alya up and ready faster than that, Alya had never heard of them cause barely ten seconds had passed and her bedsheets were already strewn across the ground, her shoes already shoved on, sleep bonnet thrown off, and stuffing her head out the window to scope out the view, phone stuck up.

 

"God everything's in chaos!" Alya gawked out with what others would call a miss-put awe, but what she would call, a valid reason to get excited over seeing the street halfway on fire and someone getting chased by a bear with a shrimp head. 

 

Weird description, but she didn't know how else to explain it. And what was this, sand hitting her? Weird. Wait- Alya retreated backwards inside, her heart beating a little. Okaaay... nothing seemed to be happening. But if she learnt one thing about akumas is that whatever looked cool and abnormal had a good chance of SUCKING TOTAL ASS in the following five seconds.

 

It would've been safer if she stayed inside, but Alya's life, her youth, her dreams were all in motion. She couldn't just STAND here. She had, Alya had things to do now! Like, go find that akuma! 

 

"Alya? ALYA!" The apartment door clattered behind her as she jumped out into the hall. Grin wide, pajamas still on, and phone tight in her hand, she wouldn't look back when she heard Nora's voice echo behind her. "ALYA!"

 

She reached the stairs. Awesome! The ladyblogger could feel her heart pumping through her chest as she reached what she knew to be the door to the stairwell, her grin widening more and more with adrenaline rushing through her veins. Alya shoved her way through the door, hand cold against the handle and her feet trampled down the stairs. Each thump echoed loudly, like a thunderclap in a silent storm, and her eyes widened with excitement as she reached that final door, with adrenaline rushing through her veins.

 

Alya shoved her way through the door of the stairwell, hand cold against the handle and her feet trampled down the stairs. Each thump echoed loudly, like a thunderclap in a silent storm, and her eyes stared wildly as she reached that final door, with adrenaline rushing through her veins.

 

Alya shoved her way through the door of the stairwell? Her hand cold against the handle, her feet trampled down the stairs. Each thump echoed loudly, like a thunderclap in a silent storm, and her eyes squinted with a dawning confusion as she reached that final door, with adrenaline rushing through her veins.

 

Alya... slowly stepped out of the door. Still in the stairwell. Her steps were slower, but still quick, as whatever was processing through her mind was still loading like a buffering video. The stairwell was deathly quiet, so her steps still rang loudly with each thump, and her hand reached outwards. This. This was the door that lead outside. She opened it slowly, hand cold against the handle-

 

And she stepped out of the door into the stairwell.

 

Alya stepped back. N- No. What?

 

The girl turned around and re-opened the door that she just came out of and she found herself at the bottom of the stairs. Alya stared upwards, and while her breath was still light she trampled up the stairs and burst through her door only to come spitting out what she'd just entered- exited- Fuck. Shit.

 

Oh no.

 

NOPE! NOPE! Alya tried to run up higher through the stairs, to the roof, but fuck, FUCK, bottom. She tried another floor's stairs. Where did this even start or end anymore. Which door- was- she wanted out now.

 

She wanted just out. It didn't matter if it was home or the chaos outside. Alya checked her phone, but none of her texts went through- not fast enough, only receiving things that she couldn't really see, time had barely passed, why was she feeling like she was already going insane.

 

This was awful. This was bad. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this-

 

-Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya hated this. Alya-

 

-She took a deep breath. Calm down, Jesus Christ, Alya. Her hands digging hard into her scalp as her eyes closed. She leaned hard against the door next to her, knees buckling as she fell down. Focus on your breaths. Jesus FUCK focus on your breathing. Cause this is all...

 

Her canines curved hard into her bottom lip, eyes squinting hard. Her hands fumbling with her glasses she'd barely last minute slipped on. How awful, that she knew the fuzzing in her vision was from frustrated tears. Alya questioned hard, bottom lip quivering. Why am I crying over this?

 

Cause it's scary. It was scary. That's why. Usually things like this that were scary, weren't scary. But that's because she wasn't alone. And when she was alone, she was being watched. Being watched by a stream. Having a source she knew would hear her voice, if it may cry out for a final grasp of life.

 

Alya hated this. She hated this cause she knew she felt scared. Perhaps the whole Theatre incident was genuinely scarring. How Juleka stood there on that stage, a cry away from help. But she stood there. Bleeding. Oh god she hated this. This, unsureness of who would come to her. If anyone. Had Nora ran after her in the same hall? Surely. But where was Alya then? Where was she?

 

She gulped down her deep unease with that question. With that curiosity, and Alya pushed herself to stand. It felt like every hair on her body was standing as she redid her steps. It was this stairwell. Was this an illusion of some kind?

 

Her hand touched the wall. This felt all as real as anything could be. And Alya knew that even if she closed her eyes and kept charging forward, that'd do nothing, and even if thought it was an illusion, it didn't mean anything as it still tricked physics itself. Crafty. Illusions weren't just visual.

 

She wondered if she could apply such things as Rena Rouge. Wait.

 

And Alya reached for what reality she knew to be true. What was guaranteed. What would always consume her world. And Alya forced herself to be patient in her motion filled life, when she opened up her phone and standing at the highest the stairs would allow her, she waited. And she waited. A single text she waited to stop buffering. A single text she wasn't sure would even go through.

 

And then it did.

 

Alya sat anxiously, tapping her foot on the stairs. Alya face palmed to herself. God what was she thinking. Sure she sorta had Ladybug's number last time she texted Ladybug as Rena Rouge. But why would she come- why would Ladybug go to her singularly-

 

CRASH!

 

Alya jumped back as the entire brick wall EXPLODED pieces sending an enormous explosion of cement dust flying through. Alya screamed, flying backwards against the door as debris was sent everywhere the eye could see but her voice dyed cause when it cleared she was treated to a sight. A goddess landed through the carved out wall, midnight shading her back and radiant eyes a near glow.

 

The ground crunched underneath her feet as she approached Alya, before worriedly extending out a hand. 

 

"I'm here, Alya. Is everything okay?" Ladybug sputtered. Alya blinked widely, and adjusted her glasses.

 

"Dope, actually."

 

"R-Right." Ladybug flushed a little at that, her antenna like ribbon twitching. And then she smiled. And the way her lips pulled upwards, it felt so familiar it was crazy and made one of Alya's eyes twitch the longer she stared at that. "I hope I wasn't late for my favorite blogger."

 

"Oh..." Alya blinked back to focus, she shook her head. Did she say she was her favorite? Alya laughed lightly, face heating up a little as she scratched the back of her neck, trying to regain her wild heartbeat. "No. No not at all. Right on time! As you always are, even if you slam into a few walls it seems."

 

Ladybug giggled. She genuinely giggled. It was cute. Humanizing actually, and Alya could feel her hair rise a bit as she stared at Ladybug, a foxy grin widening across her lips to see such an expression on the hero's face.

 

"Oh Alya, you always know how to make me laugh," Ladybug smiled at her, making Alya's heart flutter. The hero hummed quietly, "I hope that means, you wouldn't mind spending some more time with me, tonight?"

 

"Huh? Really? What do you mean by that?" Alya's eyes lit up as the hero took her by the hand gently. Ladybug lifted her up to her feet, and slowly they drifted to the broken side of the stairwell, weightlessly like ghosts. 

 

Impossibly intense sapphire met purple flecked amber and Ladybug smiled and she took a small curtsey.

 

"You asked for help, return the favor, Madame Rouge?" Ladybug asked, tilting her head cheekily. "So we can wake up everyone from this nightmare?" 

 

"Ohoh, my lady." Alya grinned toothily at her, and crossing her leg behind her, she took her own bow. And when she tilted her head up to meet Ladybug's eyes, it was like that pendant was already around her neck. "It would be a dream come true."

 

...

 

"We're all here," Ladybug dropped down with a bouncy looking Rena in tow. Ladybug's gaze tilted down meeting her's and the red heroine offered a smile, "I'd say good evening everyone, buuuuuuuuut I don't think that's accurate, now is it."

 

"Partner. It's good to see you." Panthera quickly said, meeting her in the middle as the group of heroes bunched up closer together on the small room they'd gathered on. Panthera's tail lashed with a building nervousness in her chest as she looked over these people.

 

Chloe she knew- she chose her, Rena's illusion masking frustrated her, and Carapace- she had a concussion when he was around so no guesses there. It wasn't that she didn't trust them. But god she wanted to protect them and it was hard if she didn't know who they were. Her ear twitched and she turned back to focus on Ladybug, smile tense as whatever in her spoke first, spoke first.

 

"It's been a paws-itvely awful night until you've arrived, Bug." Panthera drawled long and drawn out, taking Ladybug's hand and giving it a squeeze. She hoped Ladybug couldn't feel her pulse like this, and caught her act. "I hope your travels have been safe."

 

"They have..." Ladybug began uneasily, oh Juleka knew that tone. Filled with concern. Please. Not in front of the other heroes. "What about you, Panthera..?"

 

"Uh! Excuse me, but can I ask why we're just standing here!?" Queen Bee raised her hand aggressively, an explosion going far in the background to prove a point. Cabbages flying everywhere. Panthera thanked whatever heaven there was that she avoided Ladybug's interrogating, meanwhile Rena winced at the sound and she smirked a little.

 

"Well don't sound too excited there, Miss New-Bee." Rena raised up her hands. Queen Bee's eyes widened, scoffing.

 

"Ohoho! Puns! How original! News flash, Panthera already took that avenue of character traits, Fox. Or are you uncultured with your hero trivia?" Queen Bee sniped back playfully, sticking her tongue out. Rena gasped offendedly.

 

"Uncultured with my- well- excuse me- but puns aren't actually character specific. They're a free market." Rena planted her hands on her hips. Panthera's ear flicked. Okay, stop that now, Juleka wanted to groan grumpily, eye bags weighing deeply heavy. Banter cute, so glad Bee is making friends, too loud now.

 

"Alright alright, reason we called you out today-" Ladybug spoke up, directing all of their attention to her. It was my idea but okay. "-is that we need damage control here. My miraculous cure can and will fix everything, but even so, there's people getting hurt and tormented by their nightmares out in Paris right now from Sandboy's powers, and we need all the help we can get to keep Paris safe while me and Panthera deal with the akuma."

 

"Does that make sense everyone?" Panthera asked. It seemed to get through all their heads pretty alright, judging through their faces. Except there was a small bloom of doubt on Rena's face.

 

"Are we not fighting the akuma?" She asked. 

 

"It might take a while." Panthera's hair bristled a little, rubbing her throat slowly. Her eyes closed and she stared hard at the fox hero. "He's flying all around the city and we got no track on him yet. We need you guys to save people. Alright,?"

 

"Right." Rena nodded, good. Good good good... god. But the worry didn't just end with them understanding the instructions didn't it. Sure this was Rena's second, third time out hero-ing. She even had a bit of extra training from those times Ladybug wanted her on patrol with them, but the other two, they were still basically experienceless and fresh. And now they were all working together suddenly. What would happen? Would they be okay? What if Sandboy-

 

“Alright. Stay alert, protect anyone you can, be safe you guys,” Ladybug said, crossing her arms a bit. She gazed over each of them, looking far too friendly and upbeat for the situation they both knew it was. "I believe in all of you. We'll meet up after. Okay?"

 

“Well you heard the lady.” Rena lazily smiled, knocking her thumb behind her to the other two heroes. “Let’s go! Come on! This is the first time all three of us have worked together! We're like the, we're like, Team Two!”

 

"The b team?" Carapace asked, following after the fox hero worriedly.

 

"You mean the bee team." Queen Bee scoffed playfully, wings buzzing behind her. The two heroes watched as the, er, 'bee team' leapt off from them. Far, far, farther, gone into the night. Yeah, okay, okay they'll be fine. Yeah. Panthera breathed in heavily, nodding to herself. They'll be fine. Just think that. Fuck.

 

She turned to Ladybug slowly, hair prickling, and Ladybug met her gaze. God. Why was Paris so quiet in these moments. Ladybug approached her, hands rising, and Panthera felt her shoulders droop as red gloves found her cheeks and held her face with such a tender gentleness, it almost seared her skin from its warmth.

 

"Panthera," Her eyes closed and tried to focus on just that. Her voice. Not the chaos that would fucking shriek in her ears every two seconds. Just, what was right here, right here, please help her stay right here. Keep her feet on the ground. Don't let her float away. And then Ladybug asked, "Are you okay?"

 

No she wasn't. She wasn't. And suddenly she was hyper aware. Juleka could feel her jacket against her skin, the way it rubbed on her shoulders, the way her suit stuck to her sweaty skin, how her feet didn't shift right in her shoes, how loose her ring felt, how her hair fell wrong against her face. And not just that was it, for also she could hear every unique voice crying out in terror, the distant drawn out wail of a car, it was all inviting itself into her senses by breaking down the door. 

 

Stop. Just be, Panthera. Focus on what was at hand, and it would all come easily again... for fear won't save you. Her thoughts rang in her mind, her hands gripped tight beside her. Nothing will.

 

"Let's-" And she took those grounding hands off her face- for they were too close to her neck that she felt like any longer in that warmth her stomach would turn wrong- and Panthera's face loomed over Ladybug's with a grave tone, "-Just get this over this, please."

 

"Okay," Ladybug whispered, "Okay."

 

And so the two ran. They ran as far and fast as they could. Panthera didn't feel like she was breathing in this corpse of a body. It felt like she was merely a phantom possessing its form. The sky above just a blanket of darkness. Except for a stream of gold. There. THERE. Ladybug landed hard against a chimney top and pointed.

 

"Panthera! Twelve o'clock!" Damnit don't yell. The akuma suddenly swerved around and his eyes caught them. Panthera couldn't see well what he looked like, but the guy seemed like a really short dude, sitting on what was a small pillow. Skin, bodysuit, and hair a dark swirling galaxy navy, with golden accents riding up like stars against his complexion.

 

"Ladybug, Panthera Noire!" He growled out. "You won't be able to handle your worst nightmares!"

 

"Time for a pillow fight then!" Panthera outstretched her staff. Her teeth grimaced into a snarl, blood pumping through her veins with rage and manic energy, as her eyes met the nightmare puppet master. "COME ON!"

 

Sandboy sent down a rain of sand shooting downwards at them, splitting them in two directions. Panthera hissed as some sand threatened to fly in her eyes. Her feet scraped against the metal beneath her shoes as she flipped over another shot. Shit! She couldn't even get close, he was flying around like an annoying gnat.

 

"IT'S THE PILLOW, PANTHERA!" Her tail twitched and she could see far off Ladybug dart behind a wall, bracing herself as well as the barrages just kept coming.

 

"OBVIOUSLY!" She hissed, ducking underneath another wad of sand. Panthera grimaced, her hair bristling as how close that one was. She turned back to Ladybug. "WE GOTTA TIE HIM DOWN! HE'S FLYIN' EVERYWHERE!"

 

The two ran out at the same time. Ladybug's yoyo swinging towards Panthera like a wild flail, the cat hero wrapped it around her arm and made a mighty leap onto a chimney top before pouncing at Sandboy. Unlucky for him, as he tried to back away, a wild helicopter came flying- blocking hi spath.

 

Sandboy cried out with terror as she launched onto the back of his pillow. Talk about a low budget flight, she thought as she wrapped the wire around the base of the pillow and around the akuma's waist, her head spinning as Ladybug yanked them hard down and they were sent flying back onto the roof tops.

 

They hit the tiles hard and Panthera was sent rolling off. Hair sticking over her face. She grunted, eyes wild with rage as she crawled to stand up. Her claws raising, she turned to the akuma, the bringer of her nightmares, her teeth bared and every molecule in her body screaming to hurt hurt hurt hurt hurt hurt hurt hurt hurt-

 

"CATACLYSM-" She would've aimed for the pillow. That was what she was going to do. But despite that, when Juleka blinked and saw that Sandboy was a child, looking around less than seven years old, even bringing such an object of destruction close to the boy, it was like a thunderclap in her system that froze her solid.

 

Sandboy's face fell, before twisting maliciously with a butterfly mask, and Panthera felt the breath knocked of her as a mouthful of sand slapped into her face. Panthera was sent flying back, her hand smacking into a random tile and dissolving. Panthera had barely processed it, any voice she could hear muffled underneath the sounds of her deafening heartbeat.

 

No no no... no non nono.. I don't want to hurt anyone..! She wanted to sob. But she couldn't. Panthera looked up as Sandboy flew back into the air, and her body moved before her mind processed as another rain of sand came onto them.

 

She hit the side of a chimney, and on the other side of the building, she could see Ladybug do the same. Her breaths were ragged as she looked at her hands. No, no signs yet. Would her nightmare be back? Where was it? She turned and made eye contact with Ladybug, an unsureness in the red hero's eyes.

 

Are you okay? Are you ready? Ladybug seemed to ask, and Panthera nodded quickly even if that was untrue. Quickly, Ladybug raised up a hand. And quickly, did things go utterly worse.

 

"LUCKY CHARM!" But she was open. And Sandboy noticed, swirling around and taking a shot right into her gut. Ladybug let out a panicked, wordless cry, flying backwards as the glow of her yoyo suddenly vanished and whhatever her lucky charm was, it flew out of her hand into the nothingness of space. Panthera's stomach dropped.

 

"NO!" She shouted. She was okay, she was standing, but there was a strangeness in the way she staggered. Her expression slow and squinted with an intense focus that was dawning a confusion. A golden glitter of sand radiated around her eyes like a laurel.

 

Then a horror dawned on Ladybug's face and she began backing up, her legs stumbled, and she fell to the ground again, letting out a growing discordant pattern of slowly increasingly shuddery breaths. 

 

Panthera bolted towards her.

 

"LADYBUG!"

 

"The Sandboy just checked- AGh-!?" Panthera leapt over the akuma's head and darted down towards Ladybug's crouched form. Tossing her staff- Her arms stretched outwards and scooped the shorter girl up, her back arching and her lips curling into a hiss. And she ran.

 

She ran and she ran fast. Panthera's feet thundered against the tile, her heart pounding through her chest with a rising panic. Get her somewhere safe. Get her somewhere safe. Get her somewhere safe. Get her somewhere safe. Get her somewhere safe. Get her somewhere safe. Get her somewhere safe. 

 

"Panthera-! Panthera!" Ladybug shouted, hands fumbly grasping onto her jacket. Panthera's teeth grinded. "What are- are we running!? The akuma is, where is- stop running we have to go back and stop them!"

 

"I'm getting somewhere safe first,-" Panthera hissed, her ears flattening against her head. Her heat pounding through her chest. When was her nightmare coming? When was it coming? When was it coming? "We have to-  we have to..."

 

"Panthera-" She looked down but she wish she hadn't, but even then, she let herself stop running to press her back against a wall. Juleka looked into Ladybug's eyes, they were filled of panicked tears.

 

"I can barely, I can't, I can't see." Ladybug hissed through her teeth, her voice cracking with a terrified sob. "Everything is just, shadowy. Like... like a fog. And I don't, I don't think, I don't think I can use my powers... I don't know.. and even if I did know... I can't..."

 

Fuck. Panthera pressed her fingers between her eyes. Fuck fuck fuck.

 

"You got hit too didn't you, P-Panthera?" Hands were squeezing tight against her jacket, Ladybug's voice rising with panic. "-Are you o-okay? What happened? W-Where's your nightmare?"

 

"I don't..." Panthera slowly mumbled before breathing heavily. She didn't know. She didn't know. When was it coming. She was scared. She was ready? No she wasn't. She wasn't ready. Where was it. Where was it? She tried to speak lightly, "Let's just, back up a little. You. You back up. What's the, what's the plan, do you want to plan? Planning is good-"

 

"I can't see, Panthera. I can't fight. I'm useless, I'm useless. What do I do?" Ladybug was shaking, her breathing uneven. "I, everything I do. It's based on what I can see. Everything, everything I do. My fashion designs. My plans. Everything I-"

 

"Ladybug, Ladybug," Panthera whispered sternly, but her mouth fell at what she wanted to say. She, wasn't sure what to say. Fuck. What would she say? Her ears flattened against her head, tail flicking, before her mouth opened. "You-"

 

CRCK- CRACK.

 

"LADYBUG!" Panthera screamed, voice screeching raw. She heard the sound of crawling sand before it happened and she shoved Ladybug away from her. She cringed as Ladybug immediately clobbered hard against the ground. Her jaw fell, hands shaking uncontrollably that found her hair, digging into her scalp as she watched glass walls suddenly build around her.

 

Panthera's hand touched cold against the glass, eyes thinning with fear. She reeled her hand back and felt the entire box reverberate as she punched it. One second, two second. Her eyes thinned. Juleka's breath shook, hands shaking, she punched again. Again. Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again Again. FUCK! FUCK! 

 

"Panthera?" Ladybug's voice shook fearfully from beyond the glass, Juleka whimpered- grasping her hair terrified as Ladybug slowly, fumbly approached the box. "Panthera! Are you okay!?"

 

"I'm stuck." Juleka hissed. She inhaled, looking down at her shoes. "I'm stuck and I used cataclysm already. And... and I know what this nightmare is."

 

Water was rising. It was cold. And Juleka's eyes squeezed shut. There were no words to describe what she felt. There was no dictionary of the gods, no extinct language, but only what felt like the shrieks of her corvine friends that had haunted her since the wolf's maw opened around her throat.

 

She would perhaps die here. That would always be a possibility. 

 

"Jules, come back, please." Rose pleaded

 

Juleka's eyes slowly opened and it felt like everything her was burning.

 

"Panthera, are you okay-" Ladybug's voice came again and suddenly Panthera slammed her hands against the glass, shocking the hero with a squeak.

 

"Partner what can you see?" She quickly asked.

 

"Barely anything..." Ladybug squinted, rubbing her eyes and blinking around. "Er well... sort of things? There's this lightish thing in the sky... is that Sandboy? And you- sorry you're pale as hell. Ghostly. So I can actually see I think, your skin? What's your point!? How do I get you out!?"

 

Look she didn't tan well okay!? Ugh. Don't focus on that.! Actually no focus on that! Her awareness that the water was now reaching knees was stressful.

 

"Ladybug, I need you to charge at him." Panthera directed, "By the time you reach him-" She stared out to where the roof ended. She gulped and refocused. "-By the time you reach him, I'll be there to help you." 

 

"WHAT!? Panthera I still can't see anything! I- I can't-!"

 

“Ladybug. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. So you need to just run.” Panthera hissed desperately through her teeth, her breathing uneven. She wished she could comfort Marinette so badly as her hand touched against the glass. "I'll be there to catch you I promise, you've got this."

 

"But-"

 

"GET THE HEAD START AND JUST FUCKING GO!"

 

Ladybug stumbly ran away, tripping a little. Eek. Okay this. Okay. Panthera slapped her hands against her face. Hurry hurry. Don't leave her out there alone. God. Okay. Okay. Hoooooooooooooooooooookay. Yup. Yup yup. This was totally a good idea. Yeah. God. God god god.

 

The water slowed her movements, that was unhelpful, but she couldn't not do anything because every second it got worse and worse. Just imagine it's a bath. No. Yes? Shower. No. Fuck. Fuck! GOD! Panthera couldn't swim. The space was too tight and there wasn't enough water to tread. She tried to leap up but there was nothing to grab. Just! Just!

 

"FUGHCK!" Panthera screamed, thrashing hard against the sides. Hoping to knock it over somehow. To just! Fucking! Move! GOD! DAMN IT! Then she saw it. The water sloshed. She got it to jiggle. Y- Yes. YES.

 

FUCKING HELL- YOU BETTER BREAK! 

 

"Come on.. come on..!" Her heart was racing violently. She thought was going to pass out. She pressed her foot against the back of the glass wall and tried kicking her legs forward against the glass pane, each time it connected, she could feel the entire magician's box shake. She stomped. She stomped. The tiniest crack. "COME-!"

 

FUck! WATER IN HER MOUTH! FUCK! A garbled scream splattered the water as she reeled her leg back and gave one final kick. The glass box lurched forward, and she could feel the shatter of glass beneath her boot fly like glittery stars and suddenly her horizontally shoved body was being flung forwards before smashing hard against the ground. Juleka let out a cry of pain, coughing out a mouthful of water as she instantly flipped over to hack the rest out.

 

"FUgchk! Fuck.!" Juleka hissed, wet clothes clinging to her skin. She shook her head dizzily, soaked from head to toe, she slammed her hand on the glass shards laying below her, she grasped one in her palm. It's form digging into her gloves, she could feel the press of warm blood that was threatening to be spilt.

 

Panthera harshly turned, gripping that shard in her hands and after finding what seemed to be a familiar red and black dotted pattern on a teddybear a few paces away- she charged after Ladybug.

 

Her steps nearly slipped every time she took another stride. But she ran. She ran until it felt like she was going to stop breathing. Ladybug wasn't even dodging Sandboy's attacks anymore. The sand only slowing her down slightly. Ladybug was running still, blindly into a danger that would drop her into the void. And Panthera was right behind her, arms sweeping open.

 

"LADYBUG!" Panthera screamed. There was no hint to show Ladybug heard her, but somewhere inside the cat hero knew she did. And so Juleka tore her voice raw, as she screamed again, "JUMP NOW!"

 

Ladybug did without hesitation, just as her foot connected with the ledge of the roof tops and she threw herself off the building and at the height of her arc, Panthera snatched her midair.

 

Juleka grimaced, fitting the glass shard into Ladybug's hands and they both squeezed it tight. Her eyes forcefully turned towards Sandboy, who's eyes widened with shock. Her teeth curled into a snarl. 

 

"Sweet dreams.!"

 

They split the pillow right through the center, and it's ruptured mark exploded into golden shine that scattered over her entire vision. Falling- Panthera slammed onto the city street, rolling aggressively across the curb with Ladybug wrapped in her arms.

 

Then she heard a shout. And without hesitation, Panthera let her go along with the lucky charm as she sat up, gasping as she scuttled forward and in a lunge, caught the young akumatized boy in her arms.The way his hands clung against her jacket would freeze her in her spot. Even when blue was washed over with a miraculous cure's red glow, and returned to a human hue. 

 

"Ladybug! Panthera!"

 

"AAA!! RENA!!" Panthera could feel a dry warmth return to her as ladybugs kissed her to serenity. She did not need to turn around now, when she could hear the shouts of Ladybug- no doubt ecstatic to see detailed faces again- tackle the fox hero over with delight. Panthera just closed her eyes and softly hummed as the boy in her arms gripped her like she was a lifeboat.

 

"Aye there, buddy," Juleka whispered when he pulled back to look at her, and still she smiled despite how utterly exhausted she was. "I'm Panthera Noire. Can you tell me what was that all about, little friend?"

 

"O-Oh I, I'm sorry Panthera..." He whimpered shakily, and he was clinging to her again, letting her arms wrap around her little body comfortingly. "I-I... I watched a movie on TV. M- My friends said that all the big kids who were cool watched it so, so I did too! B-but it was... it was really scary. A-And then I went to bed and had a really bad dream..."

 

"There there, bud. It's alright," Panthera patted him kindly on the back. He sniffled, pulling tighter in her arms. She hugged this stranger. For it was the only thing that she could do. For it was the only thing that she could do. For it was the only thing that she could do. "I've gotcha."

 

"It was really scary."

 

"I know, I know. And.. I'm sorry." She whispered as gently as she could. "But, I'll get you home, don't worry."

 

Her eyes slowly drifted open, comforting this small boy who was faced with terror- she felt a calm still her heart as she continued to stroke his back. Whispering one last thing into his ear, before she began her journey off.

 

"The nightmare is over now."

 

...

 

When Juleka finally detransformed fully for the night, returned the bee miraculous, the child, wished safe travels to Ladybug- She let herself crumble a little. Whatever strength she had as Panthera snapped in half and it took a second to remember how to breath. Her face buried into her hands and every inhale felt a lung full of ice.

 

"Let's go home, Juleka," Plagg suggested as she forced herself to walk amongst the lost many in the streets of a post nightmare tormented Paris. He nudged his head against her chin from the veil of her black hair. "Don't you wanna go home? Why don't we do that?"

 

"I gotta see her," Juleka mumbled. Exhaustion weighed in her bones. She wanted to just collapse her. And least she wasn't wet anymore as she retraced a similar path she'd so often taken before but now felt like a path to the gallows. "I left her, I gotta see her..."

 

"She'd understand." Plagg insisted but she was already skittering up the steps to Rose's door by then. Her heart, her heart? Her everything pounding with a rising stress that would not quiet. Juleka felt like she was going to throw up but nothing could deter her. 

 

"Not unless I give an explanation," Juleka hissed, eyes stinging. Why was the doorknob jammed like this. "I have to..." 

 

"Jules?"

 

She swerved around. And there was Rose standing her on the sidewalk. Not in her house. Her shoes shoved on without socks, her face flushed red with what looked like tears, and still in her pajamas. Juleka looked down a bit, and she realized Rose could say the same description for her too, and then back. 

 

Rose stared at her like she was seeing a ghost, before she blinked and refocused, an intense stare in her eyes that made Juleka's knees weak. Juleka was unsure if what was in Rose's eyes were anger of relief. She's probably mad at me... Juleka thought guiltily. 

 

"You're here." Rose simply said.

 

"...Rose..." Juleka croaked. Her mouth fell as Rose stared at her expectantly, she wasn't sure what she'd say. She inhaled, she had to make this right, she had to be true with Rose now. It's the least she could do. It's what she owed Rose. "I think I should tell you the truth... about my past?"

 

Rose stared at her. And for a long moment she waited for a rejection that never came, as Rose waltzed forward and simply took the keys from under the mat. Unlocking the door slowly, She pushed it open, and looked up at Juleka with a focused look.

 

"Then let's go inside." Rose said with a level tone. 

 

So they did. Juleka thought they'd sit down. On the couch. Or maybe the kitchen. But when Rose closed the door behind them, she was making a bee line upstairs, to her room, and Juleka aimlessly followed. Each step in that deathly quiet house- only broken up by the lowest sniffle that panged Juleka coldly in the soul- was like memorizing the structure all over again.

 

Rose's door was creaked open by the time she reached upstairs, and she stumbly followed after and peaked her head in. Her eyes thinned with nervousness. It felt like she was invading the predator of a beast and at the far side where she knew Rose's bed to be, where she could see it, she watched as the cushions creaked underneath her girlfriend's weight, and felt her body freeze when Rose turned to look at her, sitting on her bed.

 

Rose raised up her hands but Juleka would not move an inch. Rose's head shifted, lips parting.

 

"Jules," She invited, Juleka's jaw falling but she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. One step forward. A pause, and she slowly walked her way over to Rose's bed and sat herself next to Rose. Their eyes met, and it felt like lightning could've struck then, and neither would flinch.

 

There was a long quiet moment that filled the dark of the room, but Juleka could see Rose. Not just from the vague outline of golden and pink light- The city lights just outside her window kissing her cheek, and the surviving starlight of stars glued onto the ceiling shimmering against her hair- but Juleka's eyes dilated like dish plates seeing Rose. Who stared back at her with a breathless, melancholic look.

 

"I'm listening," Is what she whispered. A hand found the calloused claw, and squeezed it softly, before traveling up to caress Juleka's cheek like a priceless artifact, languished within the eternity of time, and as delicate as a creature of the past and future. Rose's voice came again, and it prickled across Juleka's skin as she felt her breath against her face, uttering; "I'm completely here."

 

And so, in a moment that seemed to last forever, Juleka decided to take a moment to counted her breaths.

 

One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten. 

 

Breathe.

 

Ten. Nine. Eight. Seven. Six. Five. Four. Three. Two. One.

 

Her eyes opened, and Rose was still there. Still staring with those wide, gentle eyes. And then, Juleka let it all go.

 

"My dad he, did something real bad when I was younger." Juleka pulled at her hair, hand traveling down to tug at her shirt. She felt a rising cold rush through her spine that felt like an unbearable heat in her head. Her mouth felt dry as she continued. Rose's eyes she would not meet. 

 

"Was that him, in the room?" Rose asked. Juleka rubbed a thumb over her knuckles, hand traveling up her arm. And she nodded. "Was he always.... like... that to you?"

 

Juleka, just nodded again. Adding a quiet, 'somewhat' for just Rose's ears to pick up.

 

"Okay." Rose hissed to herself, she took a deep breath. "Y- You can continue..."

 

"I knew he didn't like me. I didn't think he hated me, at least that much." Juleka bit her thumb, she'd regret that later for what it'd do to her delicately painted nails. But her mind drifted far, to a numb place in her mind as words just breezed out of her lips. "I guess- that's an understatement- He didn't like me enough to just, deal with me alive. I think..."

 

Rose stared long and with wide, stretched eyes as Juleka caught her own breath, and continued to speak-

 

"...I think He wanted... a son. I think that's something he wanted from our family. Ma, was more of a nuisance that could provide something for him. That's what she described him like, how she described how he saw her. And I think he wanted, something, out of their... marriage. Son being one of them..." Juleka muttered slowly, as those old feelings began to rise with her discomfort. "And he would never see Luka as his own and, well, I- I wasn't, I didn't, I never was a-... I am not a...! He kept..!"

 

Rose's eyes began to slowly widen, a strange looking dawning on her face as Juleka took a breath from her suddenly rushed tone. God. All that intensity. She forgot how much emotions she had over all that. 

 

"I uh, I wanted to be more like my ma." She clarified, hands pausing their fiddling. "I didn't want, to be his son. I mean, I never was. I'm not. I'm not. But I think even then, before I knew, he could... I think he could really tell before I knew what those feelings meant. Like he sensed it. Like he knew I was softer, like I was, not like him. Or something..."

 

"Or something..." Rose parroted lightly, silently processing as Juleka went on.

 

"So... I think, he could sense even more so, that I wasn't going to fill that desire of his to be, his sort of, object of expectations... No. I was never going to be how he, how he wanted. And he hated that. He hated that about me." Juleka said with a tremor in her tone, as her hands traveled up her arms, stroking across her shoulders before- "And I guess, he hated me enough to.. try and drown me. I suppose."

 

Her hands smoothed over her throat and stopped. Juleka's eyes fell half lidded. It was odd to be able to speak now. Now. She figured when this day came, she wouldn't be able to. But it seems she'd been blessed today. To use her voice to the person who gave it back to her. And it was then she found herself quiet once more as that memory sparked a sort of, epiphany to herself.

 

Wow. I nearly drowned. I nearly died. I was nearly killed.

 

"Was I around for that? That time of younger?" Rose asked, her voice tender and pained. What face was Rose making, when she admitted those words? She wondered it deeply as Juleka looked up at Rose.

 

Rose who was listening, so intimately at attention. Her eyes a silvery blue as they brimmed with veiled tears. Rose looked sad but expectant. She was wondering, if she could've stopped that, from happening.

 

Juleka thought for a long, long moment, trying to consider where Rose laid in that fabric part of history, but quickly shook her head. It was all fog in that place of mind, but she knew when the sun finally rose after those terrible years. 

 

"No. No, you, came after, that. I was around.. six.. seven? Six to seven when it, like it, it happened?" Juleka whispered with a sniff, rubbing her nose. "I didn't- I couldn't talk after what happened. Like it just never worked? It took too much energy? That's what Luka helped me describe. It felt about right. But it just, talking didn't, come back to me. You- you helped though."

 

"Ok." Rose murmured, she glanced off and then back, like she was piecing together the last parts of the puzzle that was her Juleka. Rewinding history, to comb a hand across the net of memories, and the skipped scenes of their life. She asked, "Is this why, you couldn't touch my dad for so long too? You were scared of him?"

 

"Yeah, I think so." Juleka replied, her eyes casted downwards. She remembered vaguely of that. Right? She remembered not hugging him for a while. "Sorry, my brain is fuzzy on every detail.. they said that'd happen too... it's weird cause... I don't really remember my dad's face vividly."

 

"He looked scary." Rose whispered, "Like- When I came into the room? He looked nothing like a person."

 

"Yeah." Juleka said, her eyes heavy and dark. She picked at her lip anxiously. "It's like a black smear over where his face used to be for the most part. If I saw a picture of him though, I'd know who he was. But when I think of him... all I can see..."

 

Wiped straight over his face like a fucking disease. Like a clump of flies swarming over his every feature. She could pick out what she remembers. Gaps in the fog. Like paper with burnt holes. And what she found, was that his eyes were the only thing that remained. Burning themselves in her memory to stare back at her in the mirror.

 

Her eyes. Her copper eyes. Her red eyes. That slightly kissed at the ends thanks to her dad's heritage he seemed to like to bury in fitting in like he was some sort of royalty in his brain. Such royalty, was a low grade accountant. 

 

"...Is a monster?" Rose asked, finishing her sentence. Juleka closed her eyes and hummed. 

 

"His name... I don't remember his name, actually. He was only Dad. But I remember, once, hearing it. It was the one time his mom, my grandma, came over." Juleka's eyebrows knit together hard. But, everything beyond those details were a blur, besides what she remembered of that afternoon. "She looked at me, and her eyes, were almost sympathetic. She poked hard at him. He rushed her out after lunch. I never saw her again. I don't think the bastard wanted me to know her. Because it made him feel small."

 

"Was that what he was like?" Rose's voice trembled.

 

“I guess. He liked to yell at us. And Luka. He didn't like Luka cause he wasn't his son. So I tried to just stay quiet. It's cause, I think I'm afraid of liking to yell too.” Juleka murmured, fiddling with her hands. She pressed her thumb into her palm, thinking. "And after the whole, thing- I dunno I don't remember it all to well... I just, speaking was too much. Couldn't, couldn't do it anymore, or somethin."

 

"Or something," Rose echoed, taking her hands and rubbing her thumbs into Juleka's palm, Juleka hummed, leaning her forehead against Rose's. But there was a confliction in her heart that made her chest feel, heavy. She glanced away hard and Rose noticed, lightly brushing the bangs from her face. "Is there more you want to say?"

 

Juleka closed her eyes and, breathed.

 

"I think I’m supposed to feel grateful…After surviving so much I'm supposed to feel thankful that I’m alive that I lived through so much." Juleka quietly confessed, staring far away from Rose in a manner that felt lost. Her voice, already fragile and cracked as it was, was shaking. "But I feel anythin'  but grateful, I feel awful an' hurt an' fragile an' bitter and I’m supposed to have this greater, I don’t know, appreciation for life? But, but- but life fockin' sucks."

 

Juleka's nails dug into her knee, squeezing and rubbing at the fabric.

 

"Trying all that just makes it harder…" She continued, her eyes stung, and she felt herself shake. "It always makes it harder and I don’t want to feel this way but I can’t… help it. I want to feel good and happy and appreciative of the good fortune of surviving, god Rose the world is beautiful and it's so fucking big and it's filled with so much, so much, so much stuff in it and there is good in the world and I could've not been here but I am- but- but I don’t feel lucky. I've never-"

 

She stared down at her ring with a light, pathetic chuff. 

 

"I don’t feel like some hero or like I am happy to be alive." Juleka confessed dejectedly, her heart weighing down in what felt like mountains of weight. The sting of tears in her eyes getting harder, and harder to keep back "I-it feels like so much wanted me dead and I was in the wrong and selfish for surviving it... It feels like.. I don't, deserve, to... live."

 

Juleka finished her monologue and she sat still. If she had more powers than she already did, she'd be burning a hole through the ground. It hurt to breath around Rose, because she knew how much of her heart Rose held in her delicate hands. She was waiting for, something. The dejection. She wasn't sure.

 

"Juleka."

 

She shut her eyes tight. Maybe she could just sink into the abyss. Where her fears of rejection or hatred or of Rose telling her exactly what she feared would go away, or she could numb it, like how she was so skilled at numbing everything. It was cold, but that was fine. Juleka was just fine with that. All she wanted was the before Rose told her they were through. She didn't want a now, she didn't want an after, she just wanted a nothing.

 

But instead Rose just kissed her, at the top of her head and with those gentle, gentle, warm warm hands- she brought Juleka close to her. Juleka let out a hiccupped breath- and she could hear Rose's heartbeat.

 

Juleka still couldn't dare open her eyes, she couldn't dare see the expression on Rose's face- but it was getting harder and harder each ba-bump that told her that the warmth surrounding her was Real and she was Alive and they were Alive-!  And she was okay- but she couldn't dare see it in case it wasn't true.. But Rose began to speak, and it left Juleka forcing herself to Listen.

 

"My nightshade," She said like a whisper to just her, a secret that they'd share, a name only Juleka could hold. "You are allowed to feel bitter and bad. A-awful things happened to you." Rose rested her head on her's, voice trembling- "Awful awful things. And it isn’t fair. You deserve to let yourself feel every reaction you feel. You do not have to feel grateful for the bad things that have happened to you because other people think you should. You don’t have to even if you think you should."

 

Juleka couldn't help a whimper escape her throat as her eyes slowly opened, heavy as they were, and stinging with tears they had become- whilst Rose lifted Juleka's face up to meet her gaze.

 

Her face and tone are serious but gentle. And her eyes are still soft and loving, even with how determined she was like how she was, still, at every point in time trying to comfort Juleka. Brushing through her hair and cupping her face and moving her bangs out of the way of her eyes to see her better-

 

-Because in Rose's world, Juleka was the sun and the stars, the moon and the clouds, the very grass the tangled through her hair and the flowers that bloomed with the humming of bees. In Rose's world, Juleka was her everything. Her yesterday, her today, and her tomorrow. As was Rose to Juleka. 

 

To see Rose's eyes, filled with so much love, so much care, so much compassion that begged for Juleka to Release- Juleka felt like that was the pebble that cracked the glass house. Crumbling and breaking her at the seams.

 

Her shuddery gasps resulted from her attempts to bury her very sobs began harder and harder to deal with, the feeling of quietly weeping in front of Rose was both humiliating- embarrassing- but so gratifying in the release it held. Despair overflowing in it's muddy, suffocating wake, finally letting to be cleared- with something new.

 

She was here, she was safe- She was with her Rose and her Rose loved her-

 

"You never, ever deserved to be hurt." Rose said. But it was my fault. Her mind managed to try. It stung like a fire in her throat and it felt like she was drowning but there was a bloody, sickly hand grasping and demanding her to rise.

 

"No one should have harmed you and no one should ever do so in the future." Rose continued. How can that be when it's so inevitable? Pain? That hand was soft. It pulsed with love so integral within it's veins and they were the same hands that cupped Juleka's face and wiped away hot tears. 

 

"You deserve so much better then you were given and your allowed to feel angry about what you did get." She parted her hair from her face. Juleka wanted to rip away from her Rose. She didn't want to hurt Rose. She couldn't dare cause she knew she would. She wanted to be here forever.

 

It was like Juleka was the sun, and Rose was Icarus and Juleka- seeing the world click and turn- had realized how the story would go-wanted to protect the one who reached so high to a fate that would surely burn her. And yet Rose still flew, kissing each sunspot, each scar, each pain, and whispering how beloved she was.

 

Do I not deserve it? She asked herself.

 

"I love seeing you happy but I will still love you when you’re hurting."

 

"Is it not a burden?" She asked weakly, the fire in her chest speaking for the first time in a long spell, and Juleka looked weakly up at Rose.

 

Rose cupped her face, tears in her sparkling, beautiful blue eyes, and yet she smiled at Juleka like she was the sun itself. Had Icarus known he'd fall? Was he too foolish to understand the weight of his life? Or Did he?

 

Did he understand more than anyone? What it was to live? To hate? To want? And decided all he wanted in his span of freedom was to Love? To love with such compassion and fire only the sun could manage? To care so much that the span of his life cared not but the beat of his living heart? His living soul? Did he understand, that love was bloody?

 

"You deserve to be alive and happy, I-I want you to be alive and happy- I... want you here with me forever." Rose whispered sweetly. Her eyes deep with love. Angry, bitter, endearing, and powerful love. Her voice cracked as Rose held her tight. "You deserve so much better, you are allowed to feel cheated and angry and upset and you are allowed to cry, I’m so sorry someone convinced you not..-"

 

"Rose..." Juleka whispered, as hot streaks of tears fell down her cheeks. She couldn't hold it in anymore- all she wanted to say. It was like a funeral hymn pounding in her mind. I love you like I’m dying slowly and you're the only one in the room with me. She wanted to cry out. I love you with the same devotion as my last words on earth.

 

"I love you and I want you here, Juleka." Rose murmured, pressing a kiss to her cheek before their eyes met once more. Tears falling down their faces without shame. Rose let out a shuddered breath, inhaling weakly before smiling at Juleka with such love in her eyes. "And I'm so glad, t- that you're here."

 

And Juleka wept in her girlfriend's arms. Her body limp like egg yolk, and her face red with tears.

 

...

 

Crying was goddamn exhausting. It flushed out your soul into it felt like melted butter across your hands. Slippery, oily. It made you feel hot and red. Taking a breath felt like gulping down a storm from her lungs. Wailing, tearing your voice raw.

 

And eventually, like the night itself, it became a sunset in her heart, and she settled in her body again. Her lankly form, gently crumpled against Rose's own. How long had it been since Juleka had such an awful cry like this? Perhaps since Princess Prom. God. She always forgot how exhausted it made her.

 

"Thank you," Juleka rasped, god her throat hurt. "I'm sorry."

 

"Don't be," Rose giggled, and it was like a flutter of wings in Juleka's chest. "I love you. It’s ok to recover from your trauma, it’s going to take time… You’ve always helped me with mine and now I’ll help you through yours like we always do."

 

"I love you too, but I just... god I have so much trauma though. It sucks. you shouldn’t have to go through all that..." Juleka whispered, receiving a small peck on the forehead. Her eyes closed and for a moment the two just basked in silence, before Rose spoke again.

 

"You’ve held me like this a number of times," Rose said, quiet sniffles breaking the veil along with the sound of shifting sheets, before Rose fully spoke up. "Been... holding me during flair ups as I was in pain or comforting me in the hospital. You should not have been able to understand what I was feeling or what was going on with me, but even when we were really little it always felt like you did."

 

"It just made sense to me," Juleka murmured. Rose smiled against her face.

 

"You were this strong constant rock in my life that made me feel normal and happy and safe. So I’m gonna be here for you." Rose whispered, tucking a strand of hair behind Juleka's ear. "And you don’t have to be better you just have to be alive. That’s all I want from you, okay?"

 

"Okay." Juleka nodded, a long breath of silence came between them once more. Just their eyes, basking into the void of nothing the two laid in. Blankets strewn around them and tears still drying from their burning wax touch. Before Rose spoke out a sound.

 

"You didn't tell me you were trans," Rose half mentioned with a chuckle, "I'm, I'm not mad either. I love every part of you. I just only realized now that you didn't tell me, cause I was sort of processing everything at once that it just kinda flew over me. And now I just kinda, remembered after thinking about us as kids."

 

"Shite I did? I swear I told you at some point." Juleka rubbed her eyes a little, her face flushing with embarrassment. "Like I swore you knew, I mean, we knew each other since we were itty bitty so... Like, I assumed at some point I told you? Shite."

 

"What can I say, you've always been pretty, and I've always been a little bit oblivious, oops." Rose kissed where her eyes turned to tears, stroking her cheek tenderly before letting out a light 'huh'. Adding, "Ohhh is that why you never wanted to change around other people when we were smaller??"

 

"Huh? Oh, yeah." Juleka replied simply. She smiled a little shyly, unable to help her little giggles. Gosh, she supposed she never really did say anything like this before to Rose. It felt a bit, freeing? Fun. "It's also why I like my hair a bunch... I mean... you always said it was pretty. So.. that... really helped. I guess. But the bangs like, made me feel safe too..."

 

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhh," Rose nodded to herself, before snuggling closer with a little chuckle. "Neat."

 

"Neat? I'm neat to you?" Juleka questioned giggly. Rose nodded.

 

"Very neat. You're very neat, Jules. Very very neat. And beautiful. And kind. And so so deeply loving, it makes my heart burst, and I feel just, just so lucky, knowing you, kissing you, getting to love you and hold you like this-" Rose whispered into her ear, Juleka feel it melt into her skin like stars. "-I love you, Jules. It's so breathtaking to."

 

Juleka hiccupped, as she felt her eyes well up with tears once more, and it seemed to even be contagious, as Rose let her own sniffles out.

 

"Shit, Jules..." Rose almost made Juleka laugh at that. Hearing a curse from her pretty perfect lips. Rose looked up at her, "Did you- transition after or before? I hope that's not too invasive. But.. but did he hurt you because..."

 

"Oh- Actually, after. Gender wasn't really on my mind- cause- cause he sucked. So I was thinking of... I guess just survival. But, I think he could sense it anyways. That I wasn't going to turn out as 'normal' as he wanted." Juleka awkwardly shrugged. Her voice quieted. "I know I'd recognize him if I saw him. I can't think of his face right now but, I know I'd know. But I don't think... that he, would ever recognize me."

 

"You've changed a lot, and you are also the same, and even more then who you were." Rose responded, heat curling from her lips as she pressed kisses against her cheek, peppering them like constellations.

 

"May I ask; Where do you wanna go from here?" Juleka quietly asked. Rose hummed sleepily as she pulled away from kissing her. She let out a yawn, weakly rolling even closer to Juleka and nuzzling into her neck now.

 

"I dunno," Rose admitted quietly, her breath scattering across her exposed skin as she held herself pressed against Juleka. Grounding herself in her embrace. Her hand, stroked Juleka's hair, gently. As though smoothing finest cloth. And her voice, prickled close against her jaw, and Juleka felt her eyes flutter with peace. "I just know I want to be with you."

 

God Juleka was so in love with her. And there were so little ways she could say it that made sense. There are rivers in me made only of you, and I need them like blood. She thought, staring up at her. I hold you’re worth like you’re oxygen. And I long for you as I drown.

 

Fuck, I don't know how in any universe I could express that. Even with words, the things I hold for you come up blank. It's form unseen not because it was not there, but because it was too Large for mortal eyes to understand, it's presence like a god. So what can I do? She wondered.

 

Juleka glanced hard at her ring and felt herself physically gulp. Was that the only way? To say..?

 

"Rose I... I have to tell you something else, I think..." Juleka began slowly and unsure. Her heart bumping out of her chest. Was. Was. Was this it? What was she saying now? Was this autopilot? Could she? What would happen. Luka was on accident. Mom knew on her own. But-

 

"Yes?" Rose perked up, holding her hand. Her ringed hand. She stared at the glistening ring, and Juleka's eyes looked up to her, wide, frightened, anticipating, and her mind pounding loud with her chest and a question; Is this happening?

 

Her breath caught at her throat and she tried to formulate the imaginary words in her head. About heroism. About black fur. About claws and chartreux and copper slit eyes. About window meetings and princes. But nothing beyond Juleka's own reflection within her heart and the glitter of her own black ring hit her.

 

Nothing upon her cracked red lips could describe what she wanted nor did she have the strength. Juleka's eyes closed with shame and acceptation of the truth of the moment. She breathed. No. No, not yet.

 

"..N-nevermind... I- I don't think I'm ready just yet for that one..." Juleka whispered regrettably- an apology at the tip of her tongue, before letting out a quiet gasp as Rose lifted her face with a gentle hand.

 

"And that's okay too. And when you're ready? I'll be here, just like I am right now. I promise." Rose said with a tender look. Juleka nodded softly, her smile soft as she felt her weary body melt in Rose's arms. 

 

"Thank you," She whispered. Like it was a secret. Like it was just them. And it was. And it was them. And they held each other. Bodies cupped together like hands. Breathing the same air, and under the same color of night.

 

"Today was scary wasn't it." Rose murmured, her fingers tracing down her neck for a moment. So tender and gentle. Hands that once wrapped around this neck, now pressed with the lightest kiss from the most special person in her life. 

 

"The present is scary..." Juleka shuddered, her eyes fluttering, and it was true. Every day, was terrifying. The present included Juleka's life was a super hero. Where she was beaten in with every inch of herself and she walked it off like it never happened despite the ache in her bones.

 

"Would it help.. to talk about our future instead?" Rose asked. Juleka stared far at that, trying to process what she had just said.

 

"O- Our.. future?" Juleka blinked to look down at her to confirm. Her eyes wide and glistening. "You... want to talk about... the.. future?"

 

Talking about the future... Juleka and Rose didn't often do. At least ever since they were kids. After Rose got sick.. after her dad died.. and doctors spoke in fretting tones and 'unfortunate's and 'over-night stay's.. they were a bit less frequent since the childlike plans of Living in Castles guarded by a dragon and a prince who slept in an entirely different room that was- obviously- erased from the equation now. 

 

"Of course Our, silly." Rose smiled up at her, taking her hand and squeezing it tightly. And her eyes softened, seeing her. She added on, whispering; "Our future."

 

Juleka had a hard time taking things to such a genuine warmth. Especially with those simple words that should've sparked wonder and excitement into her- And she knew this to be true as a horrible thought hit Juleka instead. A thought that chilled her so terrifyingly that the concern burst from her lips-

 

"What if- what if we don't..." Juleka began, and her voice died beyond that. What if... What if.. "What if we don't..."

 

"...Stay together?" Rose finished for her. Her voice was tender and fragile. Hiding it's tremble of fear. Juleka stared at her fearfully and, nodded. To confirm Rose's guess. She was really good at that. Rose tilted her head sensitively. "Do you.. think we'll break up?"

 

Juleka's eyes widened...

 

“..Haha, yeah, Her. Yeah I sure liked her.” Anarka smiled “She called me Annie, and we’d dance a lot. Sing. Liked me for who I was, not for who I seemed. Quick as a whip too, seemed to always tell what I was thinking.”  Anarka barked out a laugh and Juleka smiled, that reminded her a bit of Rose. “Which was weird at first but- She softened me up a little.”

Her mom’s eyes got genuinely soft, looking far, far off. Then Juleka remembered. 

“What happened to her?” Juleka asked quietly, seeing the sadness start to trickle into her mother’s gaze.

“I uh- we lost contact. Or I guess- no. It was me who pulled away.”

 

..Her eyebrows furrowed..

 

“Do you think... that that’s going to happen to us? Me and Rose?” Juleka asked quietly and fearfully to Anarka. “That one day we’ll just, drift away? Like you and.. and that lady you really liked..?”

 

She leaned closer, voice lowering.

 

"I'm worried about it. I don't want it to happen but.." Juleka confessed anxiously. Her eyes darted away as she fiddled with her hair. "Everything is so uncertain, I feel like when I try to prepare for the punches it just hits me somewhere unexpected- and the idea of you, not being, here it- it's too.. big. And- and- to not to sound.. obsessive- ugh I'm gonna- I- this.. this is.. all I kinda wanted. To just, be with you. I don't want you to feel unloved."

 

Rose stared long at her.

 

"Nothing is impossible, but, I'd like to think, We- are... possible..." Rose blushed, twisting her own strand of golden hair. She giggled awkwardly, her voice like and delicate against Juleka's face like the tickle of an angel's feather. Rose's smile was beautiful. "Tha-that sounded dumb I'm sorry,"

 

"No no, it, it was cute." Juleka weakly grinned, looking up at her. "You're beautiful when you say stuff like that."

 

"IGNORING HOW PRETTY YOU ARE AND HOW ONE COMPLIMENT IS MAKING ME TURN RED-" Rose began manically- her shout near spooking the goth, before her voice pausing for a moment- She inhaled a long breath. She took some time to process herself before she spoke- "You took a stab for me during the play, Jules, that's how we started dating. I think that's a pretty clear way to prove you really like someone." Rose deadpanned, her eyebrows furrowed as her eyes darted away. "And then I slapped the guy who stabbed you-"

 

"YOU SLAPPED ADAM?" Juleka suddenly sat up. Her eyes bugged out wide as Rose stared up at her.

 

"-yes of course I did, he stabbed you- so I think we're pretty devoted. Did I not tell you that? Oh well." Rose shrugged lightly, running over her small outraged attack really quickly. Juleka's face was feeling like it was melting off of her. Her cheeks hot and pink as she awkwardly slumped. Rose cupped her cheek lovingly and Juleka sighed.

 

"I- W-would you have... dated me.. or even consider it... if I didn't.. get stabbed?" Juleka asked quietly, unsurely, a hand reaching to her side. Rose looked to her, and reached over, their legs tangled as her hand came over Juleka's, and continued to cup her face.

 

"Of course I would've. We would've found each other one way or another, I think. I loved you all the way." Rose whispered back, rubbing a thumb over her freckles and imperfections. She leaned closer. "That wasn't your fault. That was never your fault you got Hurt, nightshade.. that-"

 

Her eyebrows furrowed and she looked away for a moment, far far far, before returning to her regretfully.

 

"-That couldn't of ever been your fault." Rose whispered firmly, her voice fragile. "Okay?"

 

Juleka was ashamed by the fact she didn't fully understand. But... if there was something Juleka couldn't understand... she could try and learn. And, Rose was her favorite teacher in life.

 

"O-Okay," Juleka said shyly, taking Rose's hand from her cheek and pressing a little kiss to her knuckles. She wasn't sure if she completely understood. But.. "We can work on it together, right?"

 

"Together." Rose promised softly, her smile stretched across her face, squeezing Juleka's hand. "One way or another. Together."

 

Juleka's eyes squeezed shut as she breathed the moment in, before she let out a soft gasp- eyes fluttering open as she looked to Rose with a deep smile.

 

"...S-So.. can we..." Juleka began, her throat dry. She held up her hand, and Rose, staring at her with wide eyes, took it. Their fingers curled around each other and Juleka leaned back once more onto Rose's bed. It felt like their own secret heaven away from the world. Juleka's eyes, half lidded and exhausted, entirely enraptured with Her. "Talk about our future?"

 

Rose softly smiled, sniffing a little.

 

"Yes, of course," Rose whispered. Her head tilted to the side a little. "Are you gonna stay over the rest of the night? It's okay if not. I'm just curious and I'm ready to take you home right now if you need.."

 

Juleka hummed a little guiltily, eyebrows narrowing..

 

"I wanna see my ma and my brother. I kinda need them right now." She admitted, looking away but not far, glancing right back up at her as she squeezed Rose's hand. "But I don't want to leave you.. I still want to talk more. That's very important to me right now."

 

"Maybe we can just move the sleepover to your house." Rose perked up, lifting herself up a little. "If you'd have me."

 

"Always." Juleka pressed a kiss to her forehead. Their hands intertwined- never coming loose- as they exited from the room and the pink, and though Juleka felt her feet firm on the ground she felt weightless with Rose's hand in hers. And so the rest of the night went. Like a sunset to the pinched end of the sky.

 

 

Notes:

Special credits to Ghostajoes for helping me with that Rose and Juleka dialogue at the end. Sorry this took so long to publish. I hit a bit of a writers block and I had to take a moment for myself to just, genuinely write for fun, to come back to this. Hope you enjoyed.

 

Happy Halloween!

Chapter 67: Catalyst

Summary:

...SOOOOOOOO.... IVE BEEN GONE.... for........ A WHILE.....

HIiiiiiiii <3

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

It’s almost the end of the school year when Hero's Day is being readied for Paris. Summer coasting its heat waves way just along the horizon. The images of leisure filled afternoons like ambrosia against her tongue. The past couple of months felt so.. quick. And yet so, vague? The class had done a lot in that time. It was hard to process. Again it was like, at least, what, four or five months or so– man- time goes by so fast. Crazy. 

 

Yeah. So, Juleka had been busy. With y’know- balancing her ‘work’ life, treating her girlfriend to wonderful dates, keeping her mom from getting arrested, taking a bunch of photos for the Ladyblog, wearing a bunch of merch for the Ladyblog, getting Plagg into cheesecake, accidentally falling down a rabbit hole of Alix’s new favorite cephalopod game, furiously texting Ladybug about it, taking Minou to get his balls cut off cause he knocked up the neighbor’s cat, dropping her love-hate show she was into for three years cause it was getting too stupid for even her or Rose’s tastes, almost getting murdered by multiple neon villains– you get the idea.

 

Thing was, time moved fast. It felt like it was just yesterday that the beginning of school opened with Ivan becoming a rock monster and nearly splatted Chloe across the pavement, but also, it felt like it was years ago too. And her life of Panthera-ing and Juleka-ing was beginning to become its own cycle of exhaustion. But it made her deeply worried; would it last forever? Yes, Ladybug was one of the few she trusted with her glass and smoke soul, yes helping people brought her joy- but god almighty she did not want this cat and mouse game to keep going on much longer- pun intended. Who knew the daily occurrence of your life getting threatened by a faceless psycho man from god who knows where would get old after a while.. Even when she could feel her powers grow every day..

 

“WOO! HERE I GO-!” She blinked out of her focus for a moment, watching as Rena flipped across the expanse of a building complex. She flew, she flew, over every chimney and ledge before she landed with a thud against the tile of the third building from them. The impact made Juleka’s ears twitch above her head, though she wasn’t sure if Ladybug could hear it. She glanced at the red hero before holding up her staff to her eye, peering through its spy glass function. She could see through it, the fox hero wobbling for a moment before springing up with her arms shot up. They could hear her muffley yell, “I DID IT! I DIDN’T UNDER-SHOOT THE JUMP THIS TIME!”

 

“YEAHHH! YOU GO RENA! WOOOOOOO!” Ladybug clapped all too enthusiastically for the newbie hero, making Juleka lovingly roll her eyes at her. Putting her glass down, She kicked up a leg and leaned her weight onto Ladybug’s shoulder.

 

“Y’know partner. I get the idea that you’ve got a spot of favoritism- my- are you replacing your loving work-wife with the simple fox, Bug? I can’t believe you, my heart is just so WOUNDED beyond repair. Your miraculous cure won’t be able to heal it. The betrayal is just too.. awful~!” Panthera purred near her ear, nudging the red hero’s shoulder. Ladybug froze for a second, with the clear expression of being caught before she gawked at her, shoving her backwards. Furiously red in the face. 

 

“WHAT? NO! NEVER! STOP LAUGHING!”

 

“Huh?! HEY! YOU GUYS TALKIN’ BOUT SOMETHING!?” Rena’s voice echoed from across the way, her small lil orange blot of color hopping up and down. Ladybug’s face squeezed tight, before cupping her mouth to shout.

 

“U-Uh-! N-No! Nothing-! We’re talking about nothing Rena! HAHA! Don’t mind us! Just uh... practice your illusions okay?!”

 

“Will do!”

 

“You’re treating her like she’s your baby, partner. Makes me wonder how you even began to trust this utter stranger.” Panthera whispered cheekily. Ladybug’s eyebrows knitted together.

 

“Oh, treating her like a- like how you have obvious favoritism for Queen Bee?” Ladybug shot back with a quirked edge in her lip. Juleka’s turn on the furrowed gaze. 

 

“Not like that! She’s my favorite cause I actually got to know her.” Panthera bristled much to Ladybug’s amusement, letting out a laugh into the night. Juleka held in her quiet sigh. 

 

Being a hero wasn’t all that bad. It wasn’t, really! It’s just that- the cons were out weighing the pros. Ever since Sandboy she began thinking over how dangerous this was getting. How her desires to ignore the call to the akuma and run like everyone else grew more and more furious every day, how her body ached no matter how much rest she got... and it all lined up to one, mother, fucker... ah excuse her. She always got riled up thinking about it. Jeez, Juleka supposed she was just getting... restless. She just.. It’s been a whole school year, and nearly every day was so... much. She didn’t think her life would be like this. She didn’t want it to be like this for the rest of her life. 

 

Juleka wanted Hawkmoth gone.. He was..! He was just such a... Ugh...!

 

“Are you going to show up tomorrow as Panthera?” Ladybug asked curiously, kicking her legs against the wall beneath them. Juleka blinked back to focus and hummed, her eyes thinning. She didn’t want to. She didn’t want to even think about her.

 

“Nah.” Panthera simply replied, one of her eyebrow twitching slightly. She gazed down at her claws and clenched them tight. “Tomorrow is about heroes.”

 

“You’re a hero.”

 

“I am,” She noted, “But not the kind of hero I’m really aiming for anyhow.”

 

“What’s a hero to you?” Ladybug asked confusedly, “Are we not that?!”

 

“Mm.” Perhaps Juleka always liked reality more mundane than her fantasies, perhaps Ladybug just wouldn’t understand. And there was a source of all of that, wasn’t there. A mother fucker who just- Calm down there, Juleka. She kicked herself silently, ear twitching as she focused out onto the Parisian horizon.

 

Her soul was like a ship. And so often it was sailing on smooth waters. Nearly motionless in its tranquility just... floating. But everytime she thought about the guy, about what he must be like, when she and Ladybug would spend nights pondering about his motives or how to catch him or what they knew- it was like things were brushing against the hull.

 

Juleka felt off key, storms swirling in her chest, and as the equations added up and they wondered with a rhetorical sneer, ‘dear god what kind of dick head would keep doing this’- she calmed herself. It wasn’t important right now. Well it was; Hawkmoth and his dumb face made himself important every day and it sucked- But either way it was going to be hero’s day. That was something to be excited for, maybe? It became a holiday a long while ago after the sudden influx of heroes occurred in America, and while other countries with heroes adopted it as a serious holiday, France never really got super into it until now. Being the fact that, well, Ladybug and Panthera happened.

 

“Goodnight Panthera! Heading back home now! Bug Out!”

 

“Alright. Safe travels!”

 

I don't get the exact appeal of celebrating the fact we’re suffering underneath some mad man’s play time. But I guess it’s about being positive. Juleka thought to herself, fidgeting with the strap of her bass. Back on the deck of the Liberty, she listened to the soft lapping of water against the hull, the deck bathed in midnight blues. It was a sight often greeted by the nature of late patrols. She checked the time briefly and saw it was already ‘tomorrow’. It’s hero’s day now, it’s no longer tomorrow, that’s somethin’. She blinked, pausing her mindless plucking. 

 

“Mrrp.”

 

“Hey you,” Juleka reached out and smiled, seeing the lanky splash of black begin to lurch over with a pep in his step then she realized something. I have to do that ‘hero project thing. Or what’s it- like- it's like new years- I’ve been holding it off for too long since it was assigned. She dreaded. Jeez.. I don’t wanna look like a dick and show up to class without any ‘heroic deeds’ done. Or well, as, Juleka. I’ve caused a lot of messes this year huh. That whole class photo thing, then the whole theater show. Though- Rose keeps saying it’s not my fault. Her eyebrows furrowed. Ehh.. I still don’t get why. Oh well.

 

Clicking her tongue at the cat for encouragement, she watched as the small black cat leapt right next to her lap. His little mouth yawned wide before flopping next to her legs. His tiny peets kneaded the air as he got comfortable and she hummed endearingly. Juleka readjusted her grip on her bass, glancing back at Minou before going back to her song. He’s like a bigger Plagg. Or a tiny me. Maybe I could-... She wouldn’t be done in time but... the thought counted? 

 

“What do you think, Minou? You think I can figure something out?” She asked, glancing down at the cat. He yawned again, stretching his little arms before relaxing again. Juleka chuckled, twisting her ring a little as she let herself think, “Alright. No better place to start than now.”

 

 

“Rose.”

 

“Mnope.”

 

“Rose, we're gonna be late to school and I’m not leaving without you.” Juleka prodded, poking her sleeping girlfriend in the forehead, bass strapped to her back. She glanced over to the window and drew the pink curtains open. A few crows perked up from the balcony’s edge. Her eyebrows snapped up with slight surprise before waving politely at them and they greeted her with dry caws before making off on their way. If she had her camera she would’ve taken a picture for the Ladyblog but- not today. A ray of the morning light hit across the stuffie covered bed and Rose groaned.

 

“Let me shleep for three mor’ momfs. Join meeee..” Rose grumbled. She watched the blonde roll over, face back into her pillow. 

 

“Rose, that’s a coma.” Juleka’s eyebrows furrowed with concern.

 

“That sounds niceeeee..” Rose dreamily yawned, nestling herself back under the covers. Juleka sighed, hands planting at her hips, an endeared smile across her face. Every time she came to pick up Rose and walk with her, this happened didn’t it? She had to be the universe’s strongest soldier for managing to resist. Er... at least 50% of the time. Her head tilted up. If there was one more thing she thought she could try..

 

“Rose it’s hero’s day.” She said- and Rose’s eyes snapped wide open. Juleka watched as within a whirlwind of blankets, the blonde jolted up and hastily rolled out of bed with a loud surprised squawk. A loud thud erupting between them.

 

“OOHHhhH my gosh Jules it’s HEROES day! We finally get a Hero’s Day, isn't that AMAZING! Oh it’s going to be the BEST! Don’t you think so?” 

 

“Yeah, it’s pretty awesome.” Juleka chuckled, taking in the warm breeze of the coming Summer just a fingernail out of reach- the temperature finally giving some room for tank tops and- equally black clothing from the winter because black looked good on her and she was willing to suffer. Harhar. Yeaah She hoped Plagg included some sort of- magical air conditioning to her leather jacket as Panthera, or else she was definitely ditching it. Outside of these thoughts, her attention was on Rose who excitedly skipped next to her, eyes bright and full of stars.

 

Her head tilted up, awkwardly shuffling a bit faster as they watched trucks of things upon colorful things roll their ways down the streets- the idea of seeing herself in inflatable balloon guy form was a bit too disturbing for her. Luckily she found distraction in her girlfriend who was making a point to jump over every crack in the sidewalk and so she made a point to balance on the curves and lines instead- making Rose giggle.

 

“What’d you do for Ms Bustier’s project?” Rose asked, looking up for a moment to check her up and down, “Does it have to do with you bringing your bass today?”

 

“Something like that.” Juleka replied slowly, rubbing her face where her eyebags hopefully weighed hidden under a pound of makeup. She grunted, storm clouds ruffling her mind with quiet rumbles and puffs, “To be honest, I didn’t end up finishing it. I started it too late, oh well. M’ only human, right?”

 

“Oooh yeah.. Well- It’s less about getting it done by today and more showing or saying you’re gonna make an effort!” Rose said, tapping her finger to her lips curiously. She shrugged, “So I think it’ll be fine..”

 

“What’re you gonna do?” Juleka asked curiously, as they made their way up the steps. Rose briefly squealed a delightful greeting to Alya at the door who was passing these little badges out. Little, pins that said ‘hero’s day’ or something, she wasn’t really paying attention to that as she fidgeted to put it on her jacket. Just wanted to listen to Rose. Rose kicked at the ground a little, humming.

 

“Well, Ms Bustier never really specified, or well, I was just thinking about how she described that our heroic actions can often come from ‘our own wants and desires of the world’-” Rose smiled, spinning around a little as the two waltzed up the stairs. “So just, thinking about other sick kids, y’know? Maybe get some new volunteer programs running would be so fun for everyone, don’t you think? Just.. something I can do..”

 

“You say that like you don’t already do so much.” Juleka said, stopping in place. Rose took a few steps ahead, before pausing as well. Their eyes meeting at the same height now, Rose giggled, swinging her hips a bit. She leaned a little to plant a small kiss on the bridge of the other’s nose before pulling back with a smile. They were about to lean in again when-

 

“Hey!” The two squeaked, pulling quickly apart. Turning around, Juleka’s face flushed with embarrassment at the unimpressed looks both Chloe and Alix were giving the two, especially since they were caught up behind them. Alix huffed, lifting her hat up slightly so they could get a good look at her hard stare, “Are you done?”

 

“Suh-Sorry!” Juleka blabbered, and suddenly the summer heat had suddenly intensified right on her face. Yup. The summer warmth. Not blush. No no no. Hahah. Ha. Ha– Haahhah. Oh god. “W-We’re just, we were just.. Talking! Talking and... and stuff...”

 

“Right. Right.” Alix tsked. She tilted her head to the side, raising a playful eyebrow, her frown not being able to convince them out of the endearment in her eyes. “Well you guys can keep doing that, just make some room on the stairway, alright? Bleh.”

 

“H-Hah! Y-yeah will do! Uh– happy hero’s day? I guess..?” Her two classmates nodded along, walking past them with slowly growing smiles and mild chatter. Juleka sighed, tapping her ring to the railing before turning back to Rose.

 

“You’re too sweet.” Rose smiled, and so did Juleka. She waved a hand, “Come on! Let’s not be late!”

 

 

“...Alright yeah so- yeah so- okay yeah- So, whenever I go to the skate park, there’s all these small kids runnin’ around not knowing how to do shit and they usually end up getting yelled at or hurt when they get in the way of all the bigger people. Obvious answer is to get rid of the kids, but then I thought about how the reason I love skating so much is ‘cause of my old lady teaching me as a kiddo. So instead, I’m gonna help give kids skating lessons so they can rough ‘round too! And maybe end up liking it? I guess?”

 

“Amazing, Alix! I love your spark! Thank you so much for sharing and best of luck to you and your future proteges!” Ms Bustier beamed with joy, clapping for the girl supportively. She looked around, “Alright. Who’d like to go next? Lila? Would you like to share?” 

 

“Yeah uh.. I didn’t uh.” Lila hesitantly stood up, Juleka couldn’t see her face very well from her back seat but could see that she idly and awkwardly scratched the side of her cheek. “I forg- Well. I- I didn’t forget I just.. A few nights ago- my- mom implied we were leaving soon for some embassy thing. And so I didn’t want to plan something and not..”

 

Lila blinked wide before scowling, hanging her head low as she sat back down with her arms crossed.

 

“Okay no. Yeah. Fine- Truth be told; I forgot.” She grumbled, “Sorry, Ms Bustier.”

 

“Aw sweetie, that’s alright. Nothing to be ashamed of!” Ms Bustier clasped her hands together, slowly nodding to the other students to try and prompt agreement. She laughed with an awkwardly relatable smile, “I think we can all agree that maybe a few of us here might have done or decided things last minute right? Anyone?”

 

But Lila still looked deeply ashamed. Juleka clicked her tongue hesitantly. She wanted to somehow avoid a social presentation like this. She wasn’t sure what she was going to say. And she hated being called out for something VERY MUCH HER- COUGH- LAST MINUTE- but.. 

 

“Yeah so uh,” Juleka awkwardly presented her base, wobbling a bit as she stood up hastily from her chair. Immediately the class’s eyes were on her but it was fine, no it wasn’t she looked stupid, shit. Her voice cracked, “I can’t, play it right. But I brought this as uh.. As.. um.. I don’t know why I brought this I- it’s not plugged in. Just- brought it- to show I-” This was probably a bad idea...

 

“Psst,” She glanced down to see Rose holding up a thumbs up as if she was saying, ‘you’re doing great!’. Juleka softly smiled before continuing to speak, fidgeting with the strap of her instrument. 

 

“It was pretty last minute. I was only able to work on it last night due to.. Work. But I made a song for the heroes. I’ll probably find a way to sing it during the Hero’s Day stuff.. It’s small but I just..” Juleka glanced down over to where Marinette was seated, then across the classroom and more with a smile, tapping her ring against the side with a light clink. “I wanted to show my appreciation for them, y'know? Hope that’s enough.”

 

“That’s wonderful, Juleka. I’m sure the heroes are going to love it, wherever they may be.” Ms Bustier grinned brightly, “It’s alright if you don’t want to play it but I’m sure it’s lovely, and that’s enough to clap for.”

 

Juleka could only feel proud of herself at that, and she sat back down with happiness in her chest as Ms Bustier’s voice, just a layer out of her zone of focus, moved the class along with a ‘carrying on!-’. She turned to Rose who smiled at her.

 

“Good job!” Rose whispered. Juleka glanced down at Lila, and her lips turned slightly downwards as she could see the girl still sulked against her desk, head down with a quiet shame. But the tension between her shoulders was.. lessened- Juleka could choose to believe. And, that was all she wanted. All being a hero was to her. So..

 

“Thank you,” Juleka whispered back, smiling quietly. 

 

The rest of the day sorta went like that. Ms Bustier paused the sharing time to briefly explain the history of superheroes, talked about finding heroes in their own lives- super or not- it was preachy in a, actually quite heartwarming way. She supposed being a hero could be actually pretty cool. But a quiet unhappiness filled her thoughts over what it all was really like as her classmates harped her and Ladybug’s names, because backstage, it was just so much more than red glitter and black leather.

 

They were nights where she woke up covered in sweat and terror at the alarm blaring in her ears. It was reeling her fist away from what was the distorted manipulated form of a crying innocent child. It was wrapping her shaking hands in bandages, blistered and bruised after getting thrown too hard by a villain, because Ladybug couldn’t use her cure yet and refused help from Bee. It was her ending up not sleeping at all that night because what use was going back to bed after all that. It was the unsureness if this cycle would ever end. And yet, the determination to keep going because there was someone who would keep going until he was stopped, and he had to be stopped, and they were the only ones who could stop him. It pissed her off but.. She couldn’t confidently describe herself like that either.

 

It felt like. A hole had been punctured into her ship. Lapping at her ankles. She could see the fins of monsters peeking out of the water and the shadowy depths already eager to kiss her skin with black marbles of blood and hatred. Perhaps she just couldn’t help but confuse anger with dread as it ate through her like fire to wood. Juleka wanted to starve it. To.. muffle it. But with every passing day Hawkmoth reared a monster’s ugly face and not his own- it only ate faster. It only grew louder. Juleka hated such emotions, they were never painless. And they were never rewarding.. 

 

..Eventually they went back to sharing their plans for the rest of the year. It was like... New Year's resolutions but in the middle of the year. Nino wanted to play music for old folk, imagining the guy surrounded by old people was very amusing and very cute on its own, Juleka actually thought it might fit. But then she thought of the cursed image of Nino teaching old people his Nino-Slang, and then she really wanted to see that.

 

Alya pulled out a binder when she spoke, and there were sugary barbs in her voice as she enthusiastically expressed her plans to work with both the mayor and- to Marinette’s wide eyed surprised if her stretched face had to show for it- Chloe to make Dupont a wheelchair accessible place since apparently no one had been able to attend like so. It made Juleka think about how fucked that kinda was, seemed like the point though, as Mr Damocles- who stood in the room with them- wriggled rather uncomfortably. 

 

Alya was cool like that, with her foxy grin and her cunning eye. Juleka thought so at least. Though she did look rather sweaty in that Panthera hoodie and Ladybug beanie she seemed hellbent on wearing all day. It was nearly summer, girl. You’re gonna melt. Juleka thought, wearing all black. But- but shut up- shut- she’s got a point. Shut.

 

“What about you, Marinette?”

 

Juleka’s eyes snapped upwards with interest. Ears attuned to a voice that struck her to attention and focus. She leaned on her chin calmly as she listened in with an instinct deep rooted in days of danger always alive and writhing in her chest. One that always breathed through her lungs and pinched tightly around her middle finger in the form of an obsidian like ring. Or perhaps she was just trained to expect an akuma at the sound of Marinette’s voice. There was always one around when she heard her talk the most. Wait, was she pavloved? Gehh whatever. Oh she got distracted whoops.

 

“–Wow, like every year? Huh. I’m surprised, I guess I just expected more from you. OW! Hey! Wait- was that mean? It was? Oh. I guess I’m- sorry.” Chloe sardonically grumbled, awkwardly rubbing the spot on the back of her head where Sabrina lovingly flicked her. Marinette was looking all pale shades of ashamed. What happened? Oh, was she making macarons again? Like last year? Juleka liked Marinette’s Hero’s Day Macarons. Those were yummy.

 

“Wa-Wait!” Marinette quickly shouted out a loud yelp, it made everyone who wasn’t paying attention now very attentive. Uh oh. That was a weird tone. Juleka raised an eyebrow slowly, and then Marinette slightly turned and Juleka could see her face. Uh oh. That smile was a bit too wide, uh oh. “It'sssss.. not just macarons for us! I'm actually uh- organizing a school-wide macaron tasting!”

 

The class gasped, and Juleka couldn’t help but let the air of surprise leave her lungs too. That sounded like a lot. Ladybug would’ve definitely vented some stress about something huge like that to Panthera. She usually did. And with her tone, oh jeez. She was not-

 

Marinette grinned wobbly, oohhhh boy she was too deep now.

 

“Yeah. Annnnnnd they'll be m-more than just macarons, too.!” She squeaked. Marinette was suddenly looking more determined and fired up in her web of promises and all the more stuck in it too. “They'll be pastries and pies and fruits and cakes for anyone who wants them. I invite everybody to the biggest tasting at the park tonight.!”

 

“Holy shit! Cake for everyone at the park!” Ivan exclaimed, slamming his hands on his table with excitement, the rest of the class standing up with him to cheer loudly. But Juleka stayed seated, watching time almost slow in a quiet blink of a moment. Observing every molecule of joy on every soul in the room. It was rather lovely and delightful. And she could feel it soak into her chest like a fuzzied warmth of joy. But it was fleeting in interaction with her cloudy thoughts. 

 

She stared from her row above it all, and glanced down at Marinette- the other surrounded by the glitter and the glam of the classroom’s color and glow- who slumped back in her chest with exhaustion and a stirring look in her eyes. An undefeated look of ‘what am I going to do now’ burning with fire and ambition. Juleka wasn’t going to stop her. She knew she couldn't if she tried. Because no plan Ladybug had ever made was promised to work and yet she concluded the moment she made it that it was going to work somehow anyways. And here was Marinette, always like the hero she was with the mask on- even when she was transformed. Hero 24/7. But Juleka.. Couldn’t agree with such. So, quietly upon her seat, she stood with the crowd and the people she was not truly among and she cheered with them in the rush of wild, speedy, and merry time. 

 

Because come on; It was Heroes Day and Juleka wanted to be human. Let her live. She was going to have this day. It was hers. And she’s rip apart anyone who ruined this.

 

 

“Are you sure about this, sir?”

 

The silence in the garden filled the space between them. 

 

“I can’t fail, Nathalie. I could never forgive myself if I did. Understand that. Understand that. Understand that for me.”

 

“I do, sir.”

 

“What do you understand?” His voice cracked, squeezing his chest tightly, “ Tell me.”

 

The man’s voice shook with such a trembling terror it made her feel mournful at the image of the man in front of her she once called her best friend. Nathalie looked away.

 

“..You made a promise to your wife.” What promise? To keep Adrien safe? That was what this was for. It was for this family. It couldn’t be complete without her. Nothing in the world would feel safe without her. Yes. That’s what she understood.. Nathalie’s eyes darted back towards him. “And we-“ Emphasis, a plea for him to understand too, “-will do anything to bring her back.”

 

“..Nathalie.” He reached out and something about the way he touched her cheek made something beneath her skin writhe like an allergic reaction where it laid. But this was fine. Wasn’t it? And his Stoney face shifted with his words, “You’ll do this for me? With me?”

 

“Because it will work, yes.” Nathalie said, her eyes narrowing with determination. It was about love. It was about love. For love. Was there anything more heroic? Anything more necessary than such? “I will always be here for this family. We will succeed.”

 

She reached out slightly for a hug but the man didn’t seem to notice as he pushed by her, pressing into the shade and into the darkness of the house. 

 

“Then let us get going.” He urged, “We must be quick. I can taste victory on my lips already and I refuse to let myself starve from it any longer.”

 

Her face slightly fell but something within her chest relaxed as her body lingered in her spot. Looking up at the dappled sun that touched warmth to her cold body, she thought for a long moment in the silence. The woman was about to leave after him when something caught her eye. 

 

Nathalie adjusted her glasses to stare for one more longing moment at the statue before her. Kissed and enveloped by foliage and the sun’s soft spotlights that lined stoney cheeks, Nathalie stared into the lifeless replicated eyes of her dearest companion. This ghost of a person that should’ve been here, Nathalie speculated and memorized this soul that called out for one person. For one person that could complete this world. To fix the hole. It reached and it yearned for one who yearned the same, there was only one—

 

“Nathalie?” His voice called out. Ah. Nathalie blinked to focus. She stared at the statue of Emelie and breathed out a quiet sigh. Only one. Focus, Nathalie. Be fueled by her, never distracted. Nathalie readjusted herself, and steeled her heart.

 

“..I’m on my way sir.” She responded, turning away from the garden and followed the darkness inside.

 

 

School went out early. Last year they didn’t let them out early since- well- no heroes to really celebrate besides the.. ‘Heroes of Regular Society’ and that wasn’t worthy of a ‘day off’ until now.. Eh! Juleka was gonna take it. It was nice after all. 

 

“Heyyy guuuurl. It’s been a hot minute.”

 

“Hey Plagg,” Juleka smiled, glancing down at him as he appeared from her pocket. She then raised an eyebrow at him, slightly incredulous, “Also, I saw you this morning? What have you been doing since then? You’ve been pretty quiet.”

 

“Yeah, I haven’t said anything this entire chapter so far. I wanted to say something, it's been so long.” He complained longly. Juleka rolled her eyes, waving a way a few crows that had been gathering near her feet with a tsk. His ears perked upwards, “Also I was taking a wonderful nap, thank you very much.”

 

“I’m gonna pretend I know what you just said before that, glad you slept well.” Juleka snorted, scratching the side of her cheek a little. Plagg, with ever the vibrant green eyes, looked her up and down, and promptly huffed.

 

“You went through the effort of changing after getting out of school and instead of appreciating all my hard work you dress as.. Ladybug.” He raised his non-existent eyebrow at her, crossing his paws. Juleka cocked an eyebrow at him and glanced down at her ‘Miraculous-Cure’ shirt and red and black jacket and pants she’d managed to closet-cosplay from her- well- closet. And well. Yeah. After class ended, she and Rose went back home to change into different outfits just for Heroes Day. They'd planned this on their last date, though, both sparing the details on what they’d wear. It was a slight surprise, if it could be called that. 

 

And she figured Plagg wouldn’t be too surprised. She’d worn both Ladybug and Panthera merch for the blog before- and she couldn’t help but prefer the Ladybug clothes. And it wasn’t like she was afraid of people seeing her as Panthera anymore. After that whole Frightningale thing, she realized she could rely on her glamor and the fact that Panthera was hardly a real person when it came down to it. Staring into the mirror, she realized that; even if she did perfect her look, so long as she was in her ‘Juleka’ mindset, nothing could make her look like the real thing until she was truly transformed, and her back straightened- and her eyes were wide and her stare was endless like the void...

 

...Also, Queen Bee merch hadn’t come out yet and besides her, Ladybug was her favorite hero. But also Carapace. But also Rena. Yeah. Take that Ladybug she didn’t have favorites. Yeah. Juleka was still waiting on Queen Bee merch though. Alya please they’ve been on hold for so long-

 

“Jules!”

 

Her ears perked up and she opened up her jacket for Plagg to zap back into. A brief panic rose in her as she checked her makeup, checked her hair, checked if her bass strap didn’t hang over her shoulder too weird. Was she fine? Juleka was fine. Yes! She dipped out from behind the tree she’d resided comfortably beside and smiled brightly for her girlfriend before her face fell with surprise and awe at the glowing sight. 

 

“Sooo.. Do you like it?” Rose did a testing spin, giggling with delight, “I’m so happy that we’re matching! You look so pretty! I–!”

 

THUD!

 

“JULES!? ARE YOU OKAY!?” Rose cried out with terror as Juleka collapsed to her knees upon the grass, holding her hand to her chest with a tight grip. Rose knelt down next to her, and Juleka let her watch as she hastily wiped away a dramatic tear.

 

“My girlfriend is just... too cute..! I am experiencing every disease all at once..!” She squeaked out before squawking as Rose groaned out with a breath of so much disbelief and love that she couldn’t help but lovingly shove her shoulder just a bit. Juleka shook her fist, her face tightening from all the overwhelming emotions. “How can I be this lucky.! I must be dreaming.!”

 

“Jules, knock it off!” Juleka could only laugh so freely in response. Rose reached out a hand to her, and Juleka quietly took it- only to take it kindly to her face and mesh her cheek into her girlfriend’s palm. It was warm on this wonderful afternoon. They were in the middle of the park. There was joy all around, and summer kites, all taking flight– Rose was dressed as her favorite superhero, and so was Juleka. Her eyelashes softly fluttered open, forgetting that she had even closed them. Glancing upwards, Rose had merely sat down next to her, their gazes level and full of love.

 

Shifting her face a little, she pressed a soft kiss to Rose’s palm. How familiar it was to do this, except on the night of Princess Prom, it was sorrow filled and guilty, and she’d drunk in the moment like a smokey shot of wine. Now, she could just briefly think about it, they had a day to get through after all with only so much sunlight, and yet be filled with just as much equal joy and splendor. 

 

Returning to her feet, trading such pleased smiles, off they went.

 

 

Tck, Tck, Tck!  

 

Lila tapped her pencil against her desk, staring out the window. It was so bright and cheerful outside, and here she was, sulking in her room. Her eyebrows furrowed, spinning her pencil around onto her lip. Her teeth curved into the wood, digging deeper with guilt the more she thought about it.

 

She sighed heavily, trying to capture her senses tight to her already twisting chest. The drama club wanted to do something together, but she’d passed for this bunch of- nothing. Stupida. Lila thought, turning away from the celebrations outside to move away from the window. Didn’t do anything for this holiday with what could be your friends. Yeah. But I also didn’t do anything like them. She held her sigh, her heart squeezed. One day soon you’ll be forced to move away again, eventually. You can’t count on loving them. 

 

She sat tiredly on her chair, pulling her knees in close. You’ll just be lonely again. It’s not worth the effort. Especially when you’re not like them. Being honest isn’t gonna help you against time. You’re just gonna–

 

“How are you my bella?” Her head snapped up, hearing her mother’s voice. Did she get home–?

 

“I’m fine! Just watching the parade outside!” Oh that was her talking. She didn’t even process that. Lila’s voice didn’t feel like her own. Seeing her mom poke her head through the door, all she could do was just, smile so blankly and thinly. “Are you off?”

 

“Yep! Ciao my bella! Your lunch is in the fridge. I'll try not to be home too late.” She was full of so much shit. Lila watched her leave as quickly as she came. And she waited. She waited for what felt like hours when it was just seconds- and she rushed to close the door the woman left open behind her before throwing herself back on her bed. 

 

Ugh.

 

Lila stared up at the ceiling.

 

And it was the parade and the joy outside she was missing that drowned out the sound of a butterfly fluttering inside her room.

 

 

It was a nice day, like, a really nice day. The city had looked so cheerful around her, she never considered what it’d look like at any higher angle to walk among men and women and squealing children covered in face paint and stickers. Streamers and confetti crunched beneath their shoes as they stopped by marketplace stalls that had been set up, holding up shirts and plastic masks. Apparently some floats were gonna appear of Paris’s heroes. Ladybug, Rena, Queen Bee, Carapace the lot. How exciting.

 

“Everyone went all out,” Juleka commented, taking a quick photo of the stalls, nearly overwhelmed by it all. The sky was full of the hero’s colors, and Juleka stood still for a moment, within the whirlwind of movement, to smile in red. The streets ridden of blacks and purples. Those were evil colors now, after all. Her eyes lit up and a small trinket that sparkled something a little special at a stand. She grinned at the tiny ladybug earring. It was very cute. But- maybe a bit too expensive. She set it back down and glanced over at Rose. The cat ears headband really fit her, it was cute.

 

A loud crack made her body jump slightly, only to turn and see some kids were waving around some of those.. Party popper things. Maybe the streets were getting a bit much. So they carried on, hand in hand. Juleka snapped photo after photo of everything she could see; Cosplays, posters, Set Ups for Charities, Couples, stuff that Alya would like on the blog. They waltzed briefly through the park where kids were running around with ice cream melting all over their shirts.

 

“Oh!” Rose clapped her hands, after Juleka fixed that little Hero’s Day pin back on her shirt after it accidentally broke off, “We should go visit the school! There were gonna be all those stalls there! We should support our classmates!

 

“Alright,” Juleka smiled, readjusting the strap of her bass. She then paused, staring at her. She began to spill her worries, “Also how are you feeling energy wise? Any flare ups?  Do you need a break? Water? Are you..”

 

“Jules, I’m fine, I promise!” Rose reassured, taking her hand and holding it close to her face before she came to a slight drift in thought. Her eyes glanced away before returning back to Juleka’s, “Once we get to school we can take a break from all this walking. I’m sure you need it too, those shoes look kinda uncomfortable.”

 

“I’m used to it.” Juleka insisted with a slight huff, tucking a lock of hair out of her face. They shared a soft look and so, there they were, taking a detour back. It was always weird going to school without your usual bags, plus while wearing something you wouldn’t think to show around your classmates. Black wasn’t usually Rose’s thing after all, same with red not being Juleka’s. And yet it was also something so exciting. It was like live music, thrumming deep in your soul as the crowd moved you in a deafening flow of constant sound. Beaming lights all around..

 

“Juleka! Hey! Wait! Say cheese!”

 

Huh? Cheese?

 

“Got it! Let’s.. Hah! Look!” Juleka blinked back to focus to see Alya grinning in front of her with her phone flipping around. Juleka chuckled, she did not look prepared in this whatsoever. Rose looked very cute though, she wanted it.

 

“Can you send that to us, please? That’s great.”

 

“Hell yeah, girl, you two look amazing!” Alya beamed. She did too, Juleka thought. Somehow she was wearing more stuff since she last saw her, she supposed it came with being the face of the Ladyblog. Juleka was just some extra help, which she was satisfied with. She was still slightly worried that Alya would get a heatstroke though, in this temperature. She’d better be drinking water.

 

“Aww thank you Alya you’re so sweet!” Rose squealed, wriggling with all sorts of energy, she bounced on her feet, “Did Marinette bring those cupcakes she mentioned?”

 

“Huh, not yet. I haven’t actually seen her since class ended. Must be getting prepared,” Alya mused, fixing her glasses up her nose. She shrugged, “Oh well. You know how busy the bakery must be right now.”

 

“..’th line in was super long..” Juleka mumbled, looking around at the school. So many posters were hanging up now, a few she remembered working on with the art club and the class, guess everyone did it, though, theirs was definitely her favorite. There was music pumping above on the loudspeakers, probably Nino’s playlist which either meant dread incoming in the next five minutes or something hype as hell. The roulette that entailed was exciting. 

 

Juleka could see her classmates now, all in this collective of space. Ivan and Mylene were promoting something of their charity work, Chloe and Sabrina seemed to be doing some cute cosplay thing she wanted to take a picture with, Alix was helping Marc try and do a kickflip it was all so fun, it was a all so.. nice but strange, she thought for a moment. Where is— She began to search for two faces, one she knew by Alya’s accounts to be gone, Marinette, but also there was.. I wonder where Lila went? She wondered as sounds of shrieking laughter and elation filled her ears. Or.. Or was it. That sound. That beautiful sound. Was it what she thought it was or was..

 

“AAAAAAAAAAHHH–!”

 

Juleka sharply turned with panicked ice in her breath but seeing nothing completely wrong calmed her, only to zero in on the raised phone and the mortified look in the student’s eyes. Her stomach dropped, and that distinct feeling of such familiar dread enveloped around her shoulders, slinking its claws beneath her skin to tense her muscles and to make her teeth grind..! She knew those terrified eyes. She knew what they meant. And yet was it so terrible to doubt for one moment? To wish it was simply the drama of kind normality instead of the horribly fantastical reality? One second had finally passed, and the student screamed once more, voice and lyrical debauchery of her day crying out into the air-

 

Her ring twisted tight around her finger as she gripped onto her bass strap. Why did she ever expect today to go completely okay? Why did she? Why did she? There was a rocking feeling beneath her feel, water filling her boots, heat beneath her skin and her nails and-

 

“THE HEROES HAVE BEEN DEFEATED!”

 

 

“Gabriel, is everything alright?” 

 

His eyes blinked open as he held the second akuma he’d made today in his hands. It fluttered, so serenely, so delicately upon his finger- he briefly wondered if it ever hurt the creature to curse it with his power.

 

“I’m fine.” He slowly and hesitantly rasped.

 

“Is this truly what you want to do?” Her voice came out and for a moment he could just imagine it instead to be her’s instead. Would she have wanted this? He momentarily wondered. But that longing, that deep, deep longing.. It could not be returned truly, could it. No. No. And that’s why he did this. That’s why he had to prove himself he could. To prove to her, how much he loved her, how much she needed to know he loved her. That’s what mattered.

 

“Yes, Catalyst.” He replied, and he burned the little akuma Nathalie’s tablet like it was a branding tool, she winced, momentarily as black and purple bubbled over her skin but he eased his mind at the slightly unruly sight. To thank her, “You have always been my most loyal supporter.. My dearest companion.. I now give you the ability to augment and swell the magnitude of powers. And together; we will undo wrongs, and cast our rights.”

 

“HawkMoth..” His friend stumbled in place for a moment before she stood now, straightened into something so much more powerful than she ever could be- and she pressed her glowing hand into his cane, his eyes widened.“I give you the power to release as many akumas as you desire. From now on, you are the all-mighty Scarlet Moth.”

 

He began to chuckle. Then he began to laugh, as the glow traveled up like a burning sensation up his arm and through his chest, burning holes into the atmosphere and back. 

 

Scarlet Moth was READY.

 

“FIND THEM MY LITTLE AKUMAS!” He screamed with an echoing cackle, his army bursting like wings behind him in their bloody flocks and reaches. “FIND EVERY PARISIAN DESPAIRING OVER THOSE BRATS’S FINAL HOUR AND EVILIZE EVERY FUCKING SINGLE ONE OF THEM!”

 

 

Then the heat in Juleka’s chest was replaced with confusion. What? She flicked out her phone from her pocket and she could see others doing the same too- wait no- but she couldn’t stop herself nor anyone else from checking. What in the..?

 

“No..! No no..! NO!” Rose cried, hand clasping over her mouth, “T-This can’t be real.!”

 

She didn’t know what to expect. But it lead to Juleka watching her own face crumble away into blackened rotten dust from the heart and out. Her body shattered onto the float she was dropped upon and dissipated at the feet of— Ah. Well- fuck- that’s disturbing. But not an image Juleka wasn’t completely.. un -attuned to, just, strange to see such a sight from a far away stare. God. Fuck. Shit. Her eyes thinned and she went to immediately swipe to her texts. Luka was typing. Type type type. Beat him to it before he worries.

 

purplepeopleeater: yo im ok

 

YEp okay that’ll- that’ll do it- right? Right? Aha- haah..

 

Yep. Cause– Juleka is alive. Panthera is okay. They’re alive. She’s alive. Her copper eyes scraped against the cement trying to even her whirring thoughts as she squeezed her phone for comfort, other claws raking through her hair. Do I say anymore to Luka? Does he have ma? They planned to sail around the Seine today- did they already see? She wondered in a rush and it was only then that the sounds around her returned to her system. Juleka’s face fell with her hand, and black and purple and red took her vision. Shit. 

 

Was Marinette okay?! Juleka wondered, mortified to her bone as she clutched her phone. Her ring pressed hard against her skin, heart pounding in her ears. Panthera could be dead but was Marinette okay?! Had she been- Had- Was that part-

 

“What’s going on?!”

 

Marinette—! Juleka jerked around with a jump in her chest. Almost a desperate relief. Maybe she’d been fine seeing herself but seeing that corrupted version of her friend- She was okay too. She was okay. She was okay oh death she was okay. Looking clueless and struck with confusion. 

 

“Marinette.! It.!”

 

“WHAT THE FUCK IS GONNA HAPPEN?! FUCK.!” Kim screamed, clutching his head with terror.

 

“Are we- this is it-?! On this day?! Oh my god he planned this- how could- and now she-!”

 

“What do we do..?! FUCK! WE’RE FUCKED!” 

 

“Everyone calm down.!” Alya choked out a shocking shout. But she looked so torn. Juleka’s vision was spinning between the growing mass of terrified faces. Everyone’s scared. What should I do?! What does-

 

She twisted her ring and her face fell. Today had been- God fucking damn it. 

 

Rose handed Marinette her phone shakily. Instead of watching for the hero’s reaction though, Juleka glanced down to stare at Rose and her heart shattered at the sight. Her girlfriend’s face was red with such glistening ruined tears, and her arms dug so terribly into her sides.

 

“Panthera..” Rose whimpered with such horror in her tone and Juleka almost felt like Rose was calling to her. That couldn’t be the truth but Juleka drew herself to pull Rose impossibly close, squeezing her tight and safe in her arms- cause that’s all she could do. What else was there except to become who Rose wanted? 

 

I- why do I not want to become Panthera? She wondered so helplessly. But she thought on and knew- Because that’s when the fight will happen. Humans don’t fight monsters, heroes do. Because humans get scared and Panthera IS Fear.. Her eyes thinned before squeezing shut. No no no I— I.. I don’t want to be a hero right now. I want to be human. I want to be scared right now too. I don’t wanna be brave. I don’t want to Have to be brave. She swallowed hard against the lump in her throat.

 

“Panthera’ll be fine, Rose, it’s not real,” She tried her best to assure.

 

“Not real?” Rose gawked, and she looked nearly betrayed by the denial. Shoot. Juleka kicked herself with her word choices. “But–!”

 

“Rose.” She pleaded, and Rose’s eyes widened with confusion at the intensity in her tone, she squeezed Rose tight. Juleka’s heart twisted, as she whispered, “Trust me.” 

 

Rose blinked, face softening as Juleka brushed away her tears.

 

And then another scream.

 

And their gazes were to the crimson sky.

 

Oh.

 

Her copper flecked eyes widened. Oh. 

 

Red.

 

“AKUMAS!” Alya screamed. “EVERYONE GET BACK!”

 

“WHAT DO WE DO!?”

 

“THE HEROES ARE GONE WHAT DO WE–!” The panic was increasing. Negative emotions simply attracted the horde of butterflies more. This was impossible. This couldn’t be real. There was so many— they only came one by one before- but how could this happen? How can this- What do they- 

 

“EVERYONE FUCKING–!” Juleka turned and could see Alix standing on a table, taking a glass vase, and smashing it against the ground, shrieking, “-SCATTER!”

 

And they did. Juleka’s grip tightened on Rose and she just moved. She just moved as fast as possible. Mind screaming it as it’s only order; move move move move ..! The scarlet akumas had already been absorbed into many students and faculty around. Doors were being slammed shut. Tables were being flipped in efforts to avoid the fever of madness. She watched Alix collide into the floor by a shoving student and in her anger she was overtaken by the red alongside a terrified Kim who had swarmed by multiple pairs of wings before his own burst from his back.

 

“GRAAAUUGH!”

 

“Shit.!” Juleka screeched to a stop, watching as Mylene’s body contorted and twisted beneath a terrible glow before ripping out of the smoke into a fiery scaly form. Horrificator’s jaw stretched wide as she reered her face towards them. Juleka let go of Rose’s hand, and her body burned hot within her chest. Her body felt like it was on fire. Her mind, electrocuted with this need to just- 

 

“GET- THE FUCK- AWAY!” Juleka ripped her bass case off her shoulders and swung it into Horrificator’s snout by the strap, smashing the akuma right between the eyes. It sent the creature spiraling backwards and slumping behind the stairs where multiple students screamed by its presence. Drool dripped down Juleka’s chin- oh how nasty she distantly thought, wiping it away. Looking down, she noticed the case had popped open. Plagg’s green eyes stared at her within and she reached down. Quick-! He instantly swam up her sleeve and she grabbed her base from its coffin. 

 

“JULEKA! ON THE RIGHT!” Rose’s voice called from behind. She turned and ducked beneath another wave of butterflies. Their flapping was deafening. There were just so many. Too many. Rose was a step behind her and she went to wrap her arms around her. Close. Safe. Good.! Stay–!

 

“Juleka!” Plagg’s voice came to hiss in her ear and she turned once more, instantly swinging to strike but in its terrible twang and snapping plastic, wood, and metal string- Juleka watched as her bass shattered against the side of what felt like a wall of bricks. Then it glowed a harsh eye stinging hue and grew and Juleka stumbled backwards to see an akuma she hadn’t witnessed in so long.

 

“Stoneheart!” Juleka cursed, dropping the handle of her bass. Her stomach dropped and she shouted, “ROSE RUN!”

 

Juleka shoved her to the side and watched her run. She turned around to push away, hoping maybe his tiny little legs wouldn’t take him far, but Juleka could see by the shadow on the ground she was about to become a smear of red against the pavement. Crap-! Plagg-!

 

“COUFFAINE!” 

 

Juleka yelped and suddenly she was slamming against the pavement. Her eyes squeezed shut as whatever, or whoever, shoved into her landed hard against her stomach. Eventually, they rolled to a stop. Her arm stung heavily and she thanked her fashion that she was already wearing red for what was definitely her bleeding scrapes against her skin. She dizzily opened her eyes, the world still sloshing from side to side, like a seasick stuart’s view, until she took ahold of her helms and pushed herself up and saw- 

 

“Chloe..?” Juleka’s voice drew with confusion before the feeling turned into gratefulness and recognition. She winced, before collecting herself and smiling at the blonde who was regaining herself beside her, “Chloe, you saved me. Thanks.”

 

“A-Ahah. Well. Sure I did.” Chloe threw her ponytail over her shoulder, but there was a manic look in her eyes that the girl seemed to be trying to calm. “It’s what hero’s do aha! I was just surrounded by all these red pests and then saw you needed help so.. It’s pay back for y’know.. Uh.. uh.. The photo day yes. Aha! Ha.”

 

“..You’re doing great at the; being nice and heroic thing.” Juleka acknowledged with an encouraging thumbs up. Chloe’s face flattened with embarrassment, crossing her arms with an awkward pout, before smiling a little. 

 

“Yeah- tsh- your, your welcome. I–”

 

“Rose,” Juleka remembered then. Her eyes darted up and the brief lightness dropped from her stomach. Oh god. The entire school was in chaos. She jumped to her feet and- shit- ow. She winced at the pain dripping down her leg and arms. Where did she go? Where did her sunbeam go?

 

“Ju-Jules..!” She could hear a distant muffled cry beneath the screams and the chaos. But where was it coming from!? “Jules!”

 

“Rose.” Juleka hissed through her teeth. Where was she? Where was she? She turned to Chloe who was sitting up now and demanded sharply, “Get to safety, Chloe! Now!”

 

“You don’t have to tell me twice” Chloe scoffed, wiping away a layer of sweat from her brow, spinning her head around. “I need to just-!”

 

“CHLOE!”

 

“Sabrina!?” Chloe shot up with worry. Juleka spared a glance backwards and felt her mouth fall with despair, as she watched her classmate and friend crumble to the ground in a horrible red mist, before disappearing completely. Shit. Vanisher–! Everyone is–!

“ROSE!” Juleka called out again, swaying with each step. Stay calm. Stay calm stay calm stay calm. Keep yourself in the eye of the storm-! “Rose!”

 

Don’t separate. Don’t lose her. Don’t, in this scary world where death could capture them in such a flash. Where ashy black feathers could take flight and whisk their soul away with them. Then there was a flicker of something so recognizable. A frame of someone she’d sign her soul to with her wrists’s crimson ink. And she turned fast and ran.

 

“ROSE!”

 

Rose had been collapsing against the ground when she saw her. Then Juleka pushed, and she pushed, heels snapping beneath her feet that she quickly and horribly righted herself from by kicking the obstructions off- before charging again with a desperate terror- for this world was never kind to Rose’s heart. And her heart was—!

 

“Rose!” Juleka finally met her in the middle but her face dropped as Rose fell into her arms, already consumed by a misty red. It swallowed her whole from her hero’s day pin to her face, which transformed from a terrified exhausted look into a sickening smile and a pair of violet eyes that struck an old awakening fear back into Juleka’s heart.

 

“Hello, Juleka.!” And there was nothing but red-! Juleka reeled back with terror, shoving Princess Fragrance away and wheezed out the mouthful of perfume she’d nearly inhaled. Her lungs burned as she coughed and squeezed her chest. 

 

“This is bad..!” Juleka hissed to herself, she felt like she was going to cry and yet she didn’t feel here at all. Like she’d been dropped into a bad dream where every sensation was layered with a fog, and then she looked up and her stomach dropped. “Real bad..!”

 

She shouted with fear, stumbling backwards into a wall as a cluster of red insect wings began to leer towards her. Her heart pounded out her chest. Thud. Thud. Thud. What was she to do? Her name would be taken twice today, Panthera would be seen as dead by the public and Juleka would be stripped clean and turned into something just as corrupt as her friends around her. You were too late. You were too foolish. 

 

“Don't let fear control you, Juleka!” Her eyes snapped open, when had she shut them? Squinting, there was light in her eyes when she turned to look at the owner of the voice, and yet in any form of existence, she could find recognition in Marinette, in Ladybug, as the god in human form stood among the red- her own now bastardized color- and effortlessly faced against it. I..! Juleka breathed in shakily, there was so much red, it was nearly blinding to all her vision. And yet- if she could peak through her cluster-

 

“Remember now!” Juleka focused her eyes to the right to see Ms Bustier, shielding many students with her arms as the waves of red passed over her. The bugs writhing so furiously in the air at her refusal of their siren calls. The teacher grinded her teeth into a brave smile, “There's a hero in every one of us!”

 

“Children! Show that you aren’t scared! Get to safety! Hoot hoot!” Mr Damocles popped out of hiding in his full ‘heroic’ regalia, swinging a grappling hook around at the clouds of butterflies. Juleka blinked, her heart still twisting like daggers in her chest as she watched people help each other to safety. She witnessed Alya helping a teacher to stand, Nino shoving an akuma away from a student, and Chloe ushered a terrified group behind a safer wall. She breathed. 

 

Was she scared? Was this really fear? Or was this all anticipation? Could it be avoided? What was it to begin with? Hawkmoth attacking? Succumbing to his power? Losing? Dying? Having to always be Panthera.. Lest she become some else that was even more.. Horrid. Her copper eyes bared at the ground, nails digging into her scalp. She could almost hear his voice. Breathing down her neck as the butterflies pressed the closest they’d ever come to her, Juleka. 

 

"..It's always a possibility," Master Fu mused thoughtfully, before hitting a thought. "However, that does remind me of an old teacher of mine, Celestial Guardian Su Han... he was a powerful guardian indeed.. he is gone now, for better or worse. However what gave him such prestige was his miraculous technique of resisting emotional type control powers.. and with hawkmoth around.. Perhaps.."

 

Her eyebrows furrowed, before her eyes widened in the midst of red all around her. Miraculous ability.. That was bullshit. Look at the people around her. They were all powerful enough to resist the urge, to resist the panic, to become a hero in their own rights. It was an innate need in them all. To be strong and to be a protector. That was the unavoidable for her kind. That was the inevitable. To be a hero. And she’d have to be a hero. Again. And Again. Cause all Villain’s needed one. So all she had to do... was get rid of the villain. Once and for fucking all.

 

And she was calm.

 

It was so simple.

 

Finally.

 

She sent the stupid bugs a terrible look. She wasn’t having them today. They were nothing in her eyes now. Just blurs of terrible color. The butterflies reeled away from her, almost with a near disgusted feeling from them. She breathed, slowly. And then began to slowly move through the chaos. There was shouting, but not for her name. She moved without notice through the red and the splinters, for she was nothing but a shadow now. Just a calm visage of a human with death blacksmithed into obsidian around her finger.

 

And then she was out of school. The sky was filled with a terrible imitation of what was once such a holy image. Red bugs streaming across the wide blue, casting shadows over the city like streaks of bloody paint. Her eyes thinned and her hair bristled as she turned heel into the dark beside the school.

 

Maybe some part of her wanted to scream and cry and yell. But weighing her wrist down so heavily that it felt like it was going to snap was her ring. It squeezed tight around her finger, she wondered if it’d take her finger off entirely, and it made the waves still with only a sad and quiet disappointment, before Juleka buried it all down beneath the foam and salt and let the reminder make its point, and Panthera’s eyes glowered with a dark feeling of almost reprieve at what the rest of the day would become, while also coming to terms with what she was going to do.

 

“Plagg.” She spat with poison on her tongue, and something about it felt different this time in her blood as she snarled, “Claws Out!”

 

The Kwami spoke no objection and a black electrical snap of light enveloped her, ridding her of her red, and swallowing herself whole with her blacks and purples. It was hero’s day, huh? Then she’ll be a goddamn hero.

 

 

“Panthera!”

 

“Ladybug–!” Her ears perked up in an instant and she sharply turned. Her arm jerked and she looked backwards with confusion before coming to the sight of her claws very much still indented in the brick wall beside them. Panthera looked back at Ladybug who was standing expectantly at her side, and gave her an awkwardly tense smile, before she released herself with a light pull. “Apologies, it’s been rather a.. harrowing celebration for the both of us, hasn’t it, partner?”

 

“You could say that again, I almost thought you really were gone when I saw that video, even if I wasn’t really akumatized..” Ladybug gulped shakily, her eyes casted downwards before she took Panthera’s ringed hand and pressed it to her chest for comfort, “I’m glad that’s not the truth.”

 

The two stood still for a long moment and Panthera let herself take in Ladybug’s form, her freckles, her strands of hair, and knew they would soon be covered in discheval disarray and the soot of battle. Her ears flattened at the thought before lifting back at her focus.

 

“Well, can’t say reality is any easier than the illusion. We need to set this all right.” Panthera stated quietly, teeth pulling into a slight growl. She wasn’t happy with this all.

 

“W-Well. The good news is, I managed to get a clear word out that I didn’t turn evil. So that’s good.” Ladybug tried to comfort, but it was more comfort for herself, she could hear it in her tone. Juleka sighed, she supposed she was right. The more people have hope, the less people will get akumatized, and will lessen the army they have to face. But this was still too much. Nearly a years worth of akumas at what felt like every corner of the city..

 

“We’re still pretty damn outnumbered, but at least..” Panthera’s voice lightened, her tail lashing within the alleyway they stood in. She calmed herself, she eased the rocking waves, and she settled on looking back up. “..We both had the same idea.”

 

They stood both hidden by the fire escape’s ladder and the cluttered trash cans nearby, and beside them stood the building of Fu’s shop. Ladybug’s lips quirked into a little nervous ‘I see you’ look that Panthera shot back with equal frisk. She slid the window open on the side and gestured gentlemanly for Ladybug to go in first. 

 

The two exchanged playful grins as the red hero slipped inside with a graceful skip. But once she was gone, the cat hero’s smile slightly dropped. She glared out at the surroundings around them, before Panthera quietly followed after and shut the window behind.

 

“I always knew that one day Hawk Moth would realize just how powerful he could be. It seems that day has come.”

 

“Should we really be having tea right now, Master? Don’t we need to save Paris, now?” Ladybug asked skeptically as the old man began to pour the steaming drink out from his pot into three careful cups. Juleka’s eyes flicked downwards and she took it with two grateful hands much to Ladybug’s slightly concerned look. Taking a slow careful sip, a deep warmth filled her chest (whilst she fought the quiet urge to just knock it back like a shot) the moment it slipped down her throat. It was nice.

 

“It’s to calm your nerves before the battle, these scarlet akuma prey on any kind of negative emotion, same as any normal kind. But the difference is that they’re all around us now. You must be serene in your actions,” Master Fu instructed, looking at the ladybug hero with a kind look before switching grimly to Panthera. His eyes clouded with something deeper and she traded it back with equal fixated measure. She set the cup down.

 

“Old man.” She began flatly.

“Panthera be polite!”

 

“It will be dangerous,” Master Fu chose to ignore Ladybug, entirely focused on the dark clad hero. His eyes flicked towards her partner and then back. A silent message traveling between the two by gaze alone. Ladybug must be protected, Juleka understood, before pressing a glare. I already know that. And she knew he knew, she retreated into a sigh. He was just worried. Her ears pinned back.

 

“This could be our chance to defeat Hawkmoth. If he’s making this much of a show today, he must think he’s won.” Panthera spoke, fangs bared with articulation. Her eyes thinned, taking another slow sip. “But taking the army out there alone is unrealistic.”

 

“Master.” Ladybug looked to Master Fu for instruction and he hummed into his drink. He made an obvious glance down at her untouched cup. She bit into her lip, silvery blue darting up to him, to the cat, and the clock, before sighing- and took it into her hands. Panthera slowly gazed back down to the indents in the table, her ear lightly pricking at the quiet sound of Marinette hastily burning her tongue.

 

Master Fu hummed, before picking himself up.

 

“Ladybug, you must pick an ally you can trust to fight alongside you on this mission.” He said primly, reaching his hands out and taking what was the most majestic of ornate boxes out of his gramophone that made her nearly hold her breath. “Once the mission is over, you will get the Miraculous back from them and return it to me.”

 

Panthera’s ears slightly flattened at that. Return. She gazed briefly back down at Marinette who was trying to blow into her tea, trying to speed up the process of relaxing. Her eyes flicked back to her own tea. Ripples. Ripples. A slight slosh as an explosion rocked the building beside them, making Wayzz and Ladybug squawk. Juleka’s hair bristled. Maybe she hasn’t asked him yet about my request. Or maybe he isn’t sure about it yet. She thought, gripping her tea cup a little tighter. And Panthera let go a breath. She refocused on her tea, the rippling stopping. Stilling. Stilling. 

 

“There need to be as many of us as possible.” Panthera stated, lips curling with disdain at the red masses outside. She looked down at the miracle box. There were so many miraculouses, sparkling with their own unique glamour and glitter and promise of power. She turned to Ladybug, “We should make our own army. There’s multiple miraculouses.”

 

“No, Panthera.” Ladybug retorted, tapping her cup back down onto the table, beginning to already reach for the box, “In this case, less is more. I won't have time to explain everything again. I need allies who already know what needs to be done.”

 

Or I could choose.. Juleka’s tail twitched, but she said nothing whilst Ladybug heavily thanked the old guardian for his help and his gifts. Panthera then felt the warmth of her drink had finally left, just a cold liquid now. Might as well. She thought, knocking the rest back. She let out a satisfied exhale, placing it back against the table as the two heroes began to stand.

 

“Best of luck, you two.” Master Fu smiled encouragingly at them, raising up his cup of tea. “The safety of everyone is in your hands!” 

 

“Thank you Master, we won’t let you or Paris down!” Ladybug exclaimed, charging towards the door. Panthera quickly opened it for her, watching her fly out. She held her chuckle, pausing, but before she could take a step to join her- she heard a light tap. Panthera’s body stilled, and she glanced back, ears twitching above her head.

 

Master Fu stared back, his cup now placed on the table. Panthera blinked, and she sat back down in front of him, her head dipped so their eyes could meet at a new and more equal level. 

 

“Was there something more to say to me?” She asked with a quiet mutter. Master Fu said nothing, his eyebrows pinching just a bit more. Juleka’s ears lowered, and she moved her gaze to somewhere that wasn’t him, going towards Ladybug’s unfinished drink. “I’m going to protect her. She’s my partner. It’s a given. I have before and I’ll do it again.”

 

“I hope you are calm.” He simply said. Calm? She thought, and then her mind sent a spark up her head. Ohhh right the tea.

 

“I’m afraid the tea didn’t help Ladybug.” Juleka awkwardly chuckled.

 

“But did it help you?”

 

“Yes?” Juleka blinked, she was completely calm. She was completely calm. And besides, she knew. “I know it wasn’t for me. Ladybug’s the focus here. And we know how she can get a bit stressed in these sorts of..”

 

“Oh- No no, it was for you too.” Fu chuckled lightly. Juleka awkwardly laughed with him in confusion, the feeling that this wasn’t quite right sitting in her stomach before his face slowly hardened. “Contrary to what you believe—“ He didn’t know what she believed. “—But you are also an equally important factor in this universe of events.”

 

“But I’m not the one who fixes the broken streets and broken monsters.” Panthera straightened her back with a hiss in her throat. She forced her shoulders to relax as she continued to mutter, “I’m completely fine. I’m only focusing.”

 

“If you truly believe that is your truth, I must press you to stick close to your sense of control, Juleka.” Fu said with a warning tone, his eyes glimmered with the light from the outside, rubbing his fingers over the empty space on his wrist. He looked back up at her, looking so small from her perspective, “There is something different and dark within you today.. I feel it. I’m not sure if it’s good or bad, but it’s powerful, and any emotion can trigger it.”

 

Juleka’s copper eyes widened, a strike of fear coming to steam just above the surface of her skin— and then she forced herself to calm. Panthera nodded and stood back up.

 

“Today will end with one of two things happening.” She declared with a click between her lips and her eye at the window. “We bring Hawkmoth’s brooch between our claws, or we don’t. Either way, Paris gets saved. But I think you know which one I prefer occurring.”

 

“Neither of those options.” She raised an eyebrow in confusion. Fu leered down at her from his seat, “You want him dead.”

 

Her face fell. Dead? Did he imply She wanted to kill him? To kill- No. Well- she wanted everything about him to stop. Juleka stepped back a little, a little lost in her heart at her confliction- before she forced another more confident step.

 

“That’s a bit of an exaggeration! H-Hah. I mean we’ll get the brooch either way in that scenario but like.. That's.. An exaggeration.” Was it really though? She didn’t like the unsureness in her tone. She wasn’t a killer. That wasn’t denial, that was a desperate plea. Panthera closed her eyes, and when they opened they shined a bright determined emerald. “I’ll be off.”

 

“Safe travels, Juleka Couffaine,” He whispered. Her eyes lifted with quiet surprise and she turned back to see a supportive and trusting smile from the old guardian’s face. Panthera paused before giving him a slight and grateful nod, and she was out the door to catch up to Ladybug. 

 

Her tail lashed as she lifted herself slowly onto the roof. Her nails dug into the brick and Juleka could feel the summer bating heat press against her skin. Ladybug was waiting upon a higher ledge, perched over one of the many chimneys around them like a gargoyle, ever vigilant, ever tireless, and ever inhuman. 

 

“What a party huh.” Panthera leaned next to her, staring into the sea of red. It was almost breathing the way they fluttered and swayed in the air. Like sunset had stricken against the sky, a living fire, full of monsters. She squinted one eye, “1...2...3... Too many to count. Hawkmoth really invited a bunch of unwanted guests.”

 

“More like unwanted pests.” Ladybug scoffed, sitting up. Juleka let out a snort.

 

“Nice one.” Panthera playfully jeered, much to Ladybug’s quiet huffing. The red hero gestured for Panthera’s hand, and when she opened it for her, she watched the spotted girl uncurl her fingers and place a familiar golden comb into her palm. She clenched it tight, but still Panthera let her objection ring clear to the silent mission she’d been assigned. “I don’t think we should split up.”

 

“It’ll be better for efficiency.” Ladybug replied mechanically, standing high above Panthera, making her crane her neck upwards to meet an inch of her gaze, “And you can’t know who Rena Rouge or Carapace are.”

 

And why can’t I? A deep rumble and crack prickled within her chest.

 

“Got it,” Panthera trusted her, watching Ladybug finally jump down her ledge. Her tail lashed staring down at her, before she muffled the rest of her senses and promptly stuffed the bee miraculous in her pocket. “I’ll meet you by the Eiffel Tower?”

 

“It’s always the tower.” Ladybug complained lightly, spinning her yoyo by her side. 

 

“Always the tower.” Panthera took out her staff, spinning it idly with her fingers before snatching it tight into her grasp. Her eyes thinned into sewn emerald lines. For a moment the two stood there. And then they felt it. “Safe travels-”

 

They burst off the roof tops in a rush.

 

Panthera’s hair stood on end as her heels striked against the brick and the cement. Paris was swarming with akumas, both civilian-turned monsters and the insect type. She slammed her foot into the ground and leapt- flying through the air and cutting shapes into the red. She wondered if he could see through their kaleidoscope eyes.

 

Efficiency was what Ladybug wanted. It was almost ironic, knowing her- Panthera aimlessly thought. But what was straightforward for Ladybug always was some form of complex to the cat hero. She wondered if that made her dumb. That wasn’t a good way of thinking, was it.

 

Then her ear pricked, and her eyebrows furrowed. Immediately, Panthera flipped backwards and landed with a skid to a stop across the brick shingles, letting them break and fly off the ground. She looked up, parting the hair from her face as she witnessed multiple akumas taking aim at her form from closer to the ground. Roger Cop.. Reverser.. Numeric.. And a few civilians they’d been seemingly about to attack. She watched their eyes light up with awe and disbelief at her form but she ignored it. She had a special package to deliver.

 

“IT’S PANTHERA!”

 

“GET HER!”

 

Panthera smashed her foot once more against the rooftops, sending multiple more shingles breaking off from their put place and immediately she took her staff upon them and showered their shattered pieces to her crowd.

 

“FORE!”

 

A cloud of dust and brick shards rained against the akumas, one hunk knocking into Roger Cop’s aiming gun and another knocking Numeric to his ass after unluckily smacking him right in the forehead. At the corner of her eye, now turning into her prime focus, she watched the civilians run. Panthera’s tail lashed. Thinking, thinking, thinking, before seeing Reverser suddenly take flight and lunge toward her. They snarled, paper fans hand in hand.

 

“I’ll reverse your status from alive to DEAD!” 

 

“I don’t have time for this- shut up, dude.” Juleka rolled her eyes and stabbed her staff downwards into a rusted pipe below her, sending a spray of water launching into the paper avatar’s face. He screeched with shock, body wrinkling and scrunching as the water ebbed into his origami material. Panthera shot her hand forward and grabbed them by their damp collar, launching the akuma into the rooftops beside her. 

 

Efficient.

 

She lifted his slumped, dizzy body over her shoulder.

 

Efficient.

 

Panthera’s eyes focused on the Grande Paris Hotel, eyes scraping across where the civilians were running. Her hair bristled as she watched Butterflies begin to swarm towards them. 

 

Efficient.

 

She stepped onto Reverser’s paper plane.

 

Efficient. 

 

“Hey- Hey- WHAT THE—!” 

 

Reverser screamed as the two suddenly zoomed forward. Panthera’s eyes narrowed, heart racing as she pressed for the plane to move faster, faster, faster in the air. Reverser feably attempted to reach a claw at her but she shoved her foot down on him. Her teeth clicked, extending out her staff she could see the group of escaping civilians coming closer and closer.

 

“Hey!” Panthera shouted, watching as their heads turned, she began to scrape inches from the ground. Panthera kept an eye behind, Roger Cop and Numeric taking aim while Reverser was glaring daggers, hanging on her heels. Her hair bristled, turning to the civilians now running beside her. She reached out a hand, “Come on!”

 

It was a family of three, barely fitting on the top of the folded paper, but it worked to give them another push of swiftness- sending them flying through the streets with one path in mind: the Grande Paris. 

 

When they reached it, Panthera came to the sight of its doors- held shut by a crowd of people behind its glass- terrified and brave of all kinds- and their eyes widening at the sight of her. Her ‘passengers’ took an immediate rush inside, and her heart warmed to see them immediately welcomed to safety.

 

“Shit..” Reverser hissed dizzily, Panthera snickered.

 

“Shit indeed, Marc.” Panthera said, looking down at the disheveled looking akuma with speculation. That pin.. She plucked it off much to their upset, and crushed it in her hand. 

 

Reverser let out a gasp of rage, and she watched it die on his lips as a ripple of red smoke crackled off of his skin- leaving an exhausted and frail Marc back in her arms.

 

“What the.. what..” Marc’s eyes flicked up to her and stretched with shock, “Panthera Noire?!”

 

Panthera blinked, processing that once more and she could see the people inside the hotel taking notice too. She could hear them whisper her name. Panthera. Panthera. Panthera.

 

“Yeah I’m not dead!” She decided to bark, the attention was a bit overwhelming. Her chest tightened at the crowd. What could she say? Oh god she hated speaking. “Stay inside! Stay safe! And stay positive! This’ll be over soon guys!”

 

“Get out of the- get out of the way I said get out of the way!”

 

Chloe burst out from the doors, huffing and wheezing. Panthera’s eyebrows raised, she released her grip on Marc who was ushered inside by a butler. Chloe’s face stretched with disbelief seeing her and Juleka couldn’t help but lightly smile.

 

“What?” She cheekily asked, “Did you actually believe I’d die?”

 

“NO.” Chloe clearly nearly sobbed, her eyes slightly red. Juleka barked out a laugh. The tightness in her chest softened for a moment then. She sighed, before smiling.

 

“Let me in, I have a souvenir for you.”

 

“Yeah okay.”

 

 

Chloe closed her door behind her, dusting her hands off with a huff while Panthera once more let herself marvel at the heiress’s room.

 

“I can’t believe you’d up and almost die without telling me!” Chloe scoffed.

 

“It wasn’t my choice y'know, I was simply having a good heroes day and then what do you know, apparently I’m dead.” Panthera purred, placing a hand to her chest dramatically, “I’m appalled you fell for it. The illusion didn’t even have my high 4k HD glistening hair.” 

 

“Whatever whatever.” Chloe whined in response, tossing her ponytail. “News that Ladybug is really fine got around, but she didn’t mention you so I’m just.. ugh..” Her tension loosened and she gave Juleka a genuine smile, “..glad that you’re alright.”

 

“I’m glad I am too. Alive that is.” Panthera said with a stifled yet happy tone. But her eyes thinned slightly at the thought. Was she fine.? No. Of course she was. She was very calm. Panthera’s tail flicked. “I’m impressed with how many people are just hiding in the hotel.”

 

“Oh yeah? All my idea- haha! Sorta!” Chloe puffed out her chest with an excited pride. “M- Audrey was keen on keeping the doors closed but I made sure people got in safe! Just seemed right y’know? That was smart right?”

 

“Yeah, that was some good quick thinking.” Juleka nodded brightly.

 

“Even without a Miraculous I’m quite the hero aren't I? Aren’t I huh?” Chloe pepped up excitedly, bouncing on her feet a bit. Juleka chuckled, unable to keep the light joy in her chest.

 

“Hell yeah. I’m really glad you think that,” Panthera said approvingly, before her smile turned into something more of an excited cheshire grin, “Queen Bee.” 

 

Chloe’s eyes lifted and Panthera held up her claw and flicked the comb into view. It glistened in the room light as the cat hero made her waltz over to her friend and pressed it into her palms. Her eyes stretched wide open with awe and excitement. Panthera smiled. Chloe grinned.

 

The two heroes flew out the window cackling. 

 

“What’s the- GAH!” Queen Bee yelped, dodging over a chimney she’d nearly flown into before continuing on, “What’s the PLAN?!”

 

“Meet up with the others, that’s the plan for now!” Panthera shouted back, vaulting over a ledge with a light flip. Her eyes narrowed at the akuma’s fluttering all around them. She swatted her hand at them with a grimace, turning her head at Queen Bee. “Hurry!”

 

Queen Bee scoffed a bit.

 

“You don’t really get to make plans do you?!”

 

“It’s an easy life!” Panthera jested with a free smirk. What a lie. “I hope you’re excited to see Michelangelo and Foxy again! You haven’t worked with those two since Sandboy!”

 

“Best four months of my life!”

 

Juleka just laughed, hoping her amusement covered the slight bitterness in her tone at that. She wished they’d worked together more. They would’ve if it was her choice. If there was none of the danger Ladybug deemed to be the deciding factor. Hawkmoth. Her eyes narrowed and the two pressed onwards. Running through the red. 

 

Then, a spot of green, and orange.

 

She wondered if they were alone for a moment until she saw spots of black. 

 

Panthera’s tail flicked and she was suddenly flying through the air, arcing in silently as the wind cut against her cheeks before she slammed down into the bricks with only but a silent exhale against the hard roof top surface of the Palais de Chaillot. Queen Bee’s squawking entrance had finally alerted the three other heroes of their presence as the blonde came in for a slightly rougher landing at Panthera’s side much to Ladybug’s slightly unimpressed look. Panthera strolled up beside her and her lips fell as she was treated finally to the sight her other heroes had confounded themselves with.

 

Like a spiraling tornado, Juleka watched with a dry mouth as the clouds of scarlet akumas funneled out into the sky from their mad king’s wretched stand upon the Eiffel Tower’s edge. And upon his stand did his voice fled. His terrible tone, his inky rasp, Panthera found his silhouette in her clawing grasp–!

 

“Panthera?” She blinked with a hiss. For some reason, her body slightly hurt. Juleka pulled out of her gaze to take a glance at Ladybug who was staring back at her with concern. She asked, “You okay?”

 

“..I’m fine.” Juleka replied slowly.

 

She centered herself with the voices in her head, calling out to the ones so dear to her ears. She called for her mother’s strength, her brother’s composure, and her girlfriend’s compassion. Oh, be calm. Be calm. The storm in her could not be her downfall. Her eyes thinned, as she focused back on Hawkmoth who stood so far away as her sole target. Everything else could stand as an inconsequential blockage to destroy.

 

Destroy..

 

 

“..Gabriel.” 

 

“Yes, Catalyst?”

 

“We’ll have Emelie back soon.. But I just wanted to say; Good luck.”

 

The champion’s voice slithered out of her lips. Catalyst sounded.. Mechanical.. Sanitized from tone. And yet was that ever so different from what she usually sounded like? He chuckled. And he laughed. How many tears had she shed? How sad. How sad for both of them. Oh they were terrible days weren’t they?

 

Luckily for her, he’d bring her happiness again. He’d bring them ALL happiness. It was his will. It was his duty. It was his ability, his alone. And this was his pathway. This was his plan. And this would be his victory.

 

I’ll have her back soon.. I’ll have her back soon..! His eyes burned dark with a grievance and a rage and now a hunger. A deep hunger. Scarlet Moth stabbed his cane into the metal of the Eiffel Tower. The world took too much. He deserved what it owed back. It owed him back..! And it would give. It had to. He was too powerful for it to refuse.

 

He could feel so much pulsing through his veins. He grinded his teeth and it trembled into a smile.

 

“I need no luck,” He bitterly declared, “I’ve moved mountains to claim what’s mine.”

 

His wife was his. DEATH COULD NOT HAVE WHAT HE HAD.

 

“TODAY BELONGS TO ME, LADYBUG AND PANTHERA NOIRE! IT’S MY TIME!”

 

 

The group silently watched the bloody guy scream his head off on the tower. He was really far away and they couldn’t really hear what he was shouting about, but they were still horribly disturbed at what they were seeing. Yes, there was that illusion back during Volpina so many months ago but this truly was..

 

“Fucking hell, he really is just some dude, dudes.” Carapace hissed tensely. When no response was returned, he pepped up more, squinting behind his goggles as he pointed over the edge, “Like, Hawkmoth is just some whole ass guy. And he’s doing all of this!?”

 

“What were you expecting shelly? An alien?” Rena retorted with an incredulous look, ear twitching. Carapace’s face freezed before slowly stretching in awe and an almost dreamy glitter in his eyes.

 

“Dude that would’ve been so dope if he was an alien.” Carapace whispered yearningly before his expression dropped with a despaired disappointment “We could’ve fought an alien..”

 

“Focus idiots!” Queen Bee buzzed at them irritatedly. The group fell silent for a long sobering moment before she added on quietly, “..Besides he already looks like one.”

 

“HAH!”

 

“Guys please be quiet!” Ladybug snapped. “I'm trying to think of our plan!”

 

“Sorry Ladybug.”

 

“Sorry Ladydude.”

 

“Sorry Ladybug.”

 

Panthera’s hair merely bristled at it, trying to ease her slightly erratic heart. Be calm. She ordered, before her ears pricked up to everything else, including the way Ladybug sighed. She watched her from behind, squeezing the space between her eyes, before the scarlet hero stood up upon the ledge of the Palais de Chaillot with a burning look- leaving them all to stare up at her ascended figure. Yes, that was always Ladybug wasn’t, a single figure standing between Paris itself and the one man they were sent here to defeat, and as always Panthera broke the barrier of mortals and godhood to be by her side.

 

“Ladybug,” She called for her name, and she could see the girl’s ribbons twitch above her head for a moment. There was a long pause and Panthera took the time to look over the edge with her to witness the army of akumas in their path. She held her breath at that. The day would be something truly terrible ahead.

 

“Panthera, you have my back right?” Ladybug turned to look at her as she hissed through her teeth. Panthera was quiet, staring up at Ladybug- who stood upon that ledge swathed in her glorious adulation and light. It was blinding. So Juleka closed her eyes, steading her heart, and she nodded– a fiery burning in her chest. She grabbed her staff and swung it besides her, clanging it against the ground.

 

"Right behind you, Partner." She murmured. Two souls, one red of shining heavenly glitter and one blackened smoldering green, stood on the ground against a false deity. Two souls that were elevated by the powers of their own gods. Teammates out of necessity, out of fate. And they were going to beat the fucking shit out of him.




Notes:

Hello hello! It's me, Cap here. As you know I've been uh, GONE.. FOR A BIT... I even had the characters point it out quite a lot, just to make a few playful digs. Been taking a break from Miraculous cause of how exhausting it was getting and turned to writing for a new fandom to figure out what it was like to write for Fun again instead of doing it for some terrible work load responsibility I inflicted on myself, and I'm happy to say I think I found it?

I had a fucking BLAST writing this, though I must admit it felt much different from how I usually wrote Panthera before. I hope you guys enjoyed! Sorry if there's mistakes!

Chapter 68: Mayura

Summary:

WE'RE HERE! IT'S SEASON 2! FINALLY FUCKING DONE! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Check out this art I made for this chapter:
https://www.tumblr.com/justanotherpersonsuniverse/717726177581826048/the-adventures-of-panthera-noire-heroes-day?source=share

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 



If you asked her, Paris looked terrible in this shade of red. You wouldn’t expect her to say that, as it was usually in this crimson glow during the most wonderful of times; when Miraculous Cure was cast and everything was tuned right again. But as today was putting it; she was growing to hate the sight.

 

Panthera’s eyes thinned as she sat crouched on her chimney perch, eyeing the still image of Paris and the flocking eclipse-like kaleidoscope of akuma’s staining the air. Her nails dug into her knee as her breath of tension held tight in her chest. It felt a burning hot metal she was holding onto and yet every inhale and exhale was icy, and still.

 

The beating sound of feathers against the air filled her ears, harsh flapping quieting into the sounds of talons tapping against the concrete around her that distracted her from the murmuring band of heroes behind her discussing plans she would carry out with her full heart and none of her initial input. 

 

“He’s centered right in the middle.. Probably will see us wherever we go..”

 

“We can try right underneath him..”

 

“Yes but how..”

 

Panthera’s tail twitched as she reached out towards the disturbing influx of crows around her, one hopping closer to meet her in the middle and let her stroke their feathers under her nails, scratching softly at the edge of its charcoal beak. A meow interrupted her focus, and she welcomed the tiny crowd that was making home around her.

 

“We might just have to charge our way through..”

 

“No. That’s too simple! We’ll be surrounded easily. I have a plan to take them all out in one fell swoop.”

 

I hope Ma is okay. I hope Luka is okay. Are the others even ready to fight? I wonder if Rose— Princess Fragrance has an army already, that’ll be dangerous. Panthera thought as she softly petted the cat in front of her. Her attention drifted to one of the many crows around her to lovingly inspect its plumage of nightshade feathers. I wonder if I could ask Fu about his tea. It really was nice.

 

“But.. then what do we..”

 

“You’ll just have to trust me. It’s hard to explain my plan. So just follow my lead!”

 

Panthera sighed, ear twitching as she stood up. Eyeing backwards at the group she could see the other heroes declining themselves to simply listening with nervous expressions painted across their faces. She could only pretend she was distracted with other things for so long. 

 

“Partner, if it's too complicated for all of us to understand then it’ll be too hard for us to pull off.” Panthera suddenly dropped from her perch, the murder letting out squawks of shock that sent them flying away, a mixed sound of beating wings clambering behind her along with the shrieking sounds of hisses and pitter patter of paws running away on brick. She stood tall, looming over Ladybug with a particular studying look. “Especially without instructions.”

 

“Well you do fine without them!” Ladybug defended. Panthera let out a sigh, normally she wouldn’t argue but it was different this time. Taking her shoulder she led Ladybug a few steps away and leaned over her shoulder.

 

“That’s only ‘cause you and I are experienced and know each other. But these guys barely have any training besides the few times we threw them straight into an akuma.” Panthera retorted with a slight hiss. Ladybug’s antenna twitched as her silvery eyes seemed to focus in on the ground more. Panthera’s eyebrows furrowed, “You can’t expect them to instantly get what you need them to do.”

 

“But they have to do exactly what I need from them, I need them to.” Ladybug grumbled, pinching the space between her eyes with her fingers. “Or else the plan won’t work and I need the plan to work..”

 

“The plan will work. You just gotta explain it to them.” Panthera reasoned, lashing her tail. A long silence followed as Ladybug seemed to think, her eyes flicking from side to side, mind whirring with cogs and gears going far too fast for anything simple. But it didn’t seem like she’d get to finish her thought, as a sudden rumbling started rising beneath them like a burning earthquake- and it was getting louder and louder–!

 

“WHAT THE CRAP IS GOING ON DUDE!?” Carapace squawked with fright, stumbling in front of Rena and Queen Bee with his shield out. Another rocking motion tore the group’s balance into two as the cement beneath them began to crack and crumble. 

 

“IS THE BUILDING COMING DOWN!?” Rena shrieked, her hair frizzing up on end as she grabbed onto Queen Bee for support. Panthera eyed over the edge and cursed beneath her breath. It seemed the akumas were moving first. This is what happened when you over thought in an impromptu raid.

 

“EVERYONE JUMP!” Ladybug shouted to the group, spinning her yoyo at her side, “DON’T LET THE CRUMBLING SUCK YOU UP!”

 

“WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN!?” Queen Bee cried out before a hard crack began to split beneath her. Her eyes widened with shock and fear, backing up with a stumble. “WOAH!”

 

Panic was setting in for the three, legs frozen as their bodies locked up like deer in the headlights. The human terror that blinded them from the swiftness they held from within. Head spinning, she saw Ladybug had already flipped off the edge, leading the way and knowing they’d follow- but it was her that had to spur the drive.

 

“Guys! Get off the crumbling building!” Panthera shouted to the three heroes, spinning her staff at her side, “Get to the ground using whatever you can, stick together, and meet us down there!”

 

Panthera motioned for them to rush past her. Her muscles tensed as the ground wobbled beneath her, more and more, everywhere she stepped, cracking in instability more and more. Her tail lashed as she watched the last leap off the edge, Chloe trading her a worried look that Panthera gifted with a more secure smile before jumping after her.

 

The group landed hard on the ground as the building crumbled beneath them, sending a cloud of debris and dust exploding behind them in a veil of smokey covering, but there was no moment to breathe. Literally- the dust would hurt their lungs but that was just Juleka’s unimportant observation.

 

“Where’d they go!?”

 

“Shit I can’t see!”

 

She groaned, shaking off the dizziness in her vision. What can I see right now? She tried her best to think. Her vision was hardly a comforting or aiding resource. Only visages of shadow figures through the dirt and the decay that could be friend and foe. So what could she hear? 

 

“Carapace! Where are you, shelly!?” Rena. Two or three paces to her left, her tone panicked and brimming with electrical energy. 

 

“I’m here! Where are ya dude!?” Carapace. She had to focus her ears for this one but he sounded further ahead. Maybe northeast if north was where she was facing and not where it really was, which was actually her right but..

 

“You dolts don’t say your positions!” Ah, Chloe. Just a pace to her right, which made since they both jumped at the same time- Juleka thought. But where was...

 

“Panthera!” And Panthera could almost see her now, clearly and without doubt. Ladybug’s presence was almost like a descended god to her, commanding and effervescent.

 

Panthera blinked slowly through the grime and the dust and she smiled. And Ladybug saw her too. They saw each other. And it was not a call for attention or location, it was a call for confirmation. Yeah. Now was a good time, wasn’t it. She grimaced her teeth into the most gnarliest smirk she could muster, bringing her heart to a racing tempo.

 

“FUCKIN’ ATTACK!” Panthera roared, slamming her staff into the ground, she listened to it loudly scrape against the ground, lighting up emerald sparks in her path as she lunged at the closest looming shadow with a snarl, all hell breaking loose. 

 

Streaks of colors shot past her as she spun. Attacking her target she dug her claws deep into Roger Cop’s already bruised and brick-dented metal. She could see her reflection in his eyes, and she preened with near-pride as her silent ‘you-miss-me’ was already evident in her smug expression that drove the monster crazy.

 

“RAGH!”

She reeled her fist back, smashing it hard against the metal that crunched hard beneath her knuckles- getting her own crack to the chin that sent her head reeling back with a cough. Gritting her teeth- she spat a wad of early blood to the side before Panthera then spun around onto his back, clamping her staff around his neck like a bar and yanking him backwards, forcing him to stumble and shriek with panic and rage as he shot blindly around.

 

“Panthera! Look–!”

 

Her ears pinned flat against her head as she looked up, the dust departing just in time to see a large baby shoe about the size of a car beginning to descend down onto her. Roger Cop screamed but she held her breath as she steered the bumbling fool away, all at the same time, driving him into the ground. 

 

Whatever shroud of dust they had had been blown away now, by the force of Gigantitan’s single crushing step. Roger groaned beneath Panthera’s boot, his glass visor cracked against the ground amongst other things it seemed- as a single red butterfly seemed to slip out from beneath his front suit, and fluttered dangerously in front of her face.

“PARTNER!” Panthera called out behind her and Ladybug turned, occupied with a wrestling match with Frightningale that was taking up all her attention. Ladybug met her gaze, then the sight of Roger Cop, and nodded- flipping the popstar akuma onto her back and stunning her- before lashing her yoyo out and snatching Roger Cop’s akuma mid–air.

 

Roger let out a squawk of shock as a red bubbling revealed his civilian form, he stared up at her in confusion and Panthera just gave him a roll of the eyes.

 

“Yeaaah I’m alive.” Panthera dryly remarked to him, much to his blubbering. Her eyes darted outwards and she could see the akumas still lunging all towards the group. She sighed, spinning her staff at her side, readying for more. She was gonna have to say this a lot today, she could feel it. Juleka sighed, cracking her neck to the side and let the tip of her staff tap against the ground. Here we go.

 

 

Tap. T-Tap. Tap. T-Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap—!

 

Panthera let her staff shriek its scraping cry as she dashed forward before reeling her staff back and striking hard against Risposte’s blade. The two snarled, glaring at each other. Panthera rolled her head over her shoulder and she could still see the beacon of red upon the Eiffel Tower. There was no other efficient way they could go now. But the waves of akumas weren’t making their charge easier.

 

“Panthera behind you!”

 

Panthera’s ears twitched upwards. But turning just could not would not happen because Riposte had her in a dangerous lock. If she moved, Riposte would slit her stomach open. If she didn’t, something else would–! A hard clambering sound reverberated behind her, her eyes widened. 

 

Backs pushing against each other, she gave a chance to look over her shoulder to see Carapace with his shield up, bearing the brunt force against the Mime’s invisible blade. Frustrated, Panthera stumbled hard as the Mime reeled his weapon back and something much heavier slammed onto Carapace’s shield, making him gasp out in shock.

 

“Carapace!?” Panthera hissed.

 

“I said behind you!” Carapace shouted, “I meant me protecting you!”

 

How sweet. If only I could thank him. Juleka grimaced as Riposte made another pressing shove, metal against metal shrieking a scraping sound into her ears, sparks flying between them. Her foot pushed back against the ground. Shit. Her eyebrows raised, glancing back at the Mime and Carapace and she grimaced.

 

“YO TURTLE!” Panthera barked over her shoulder, she let out a grunt of exertion, trying to keep Riposte back. She sighed, grimacing over her shoulder once more, “You mind if we switch dance partners!?”

 

“H-Huh!?” Carapace sputtered in response, turning his head and meeting her eyes. His golden eyes widened with thought, before shrugging awkwardly, “Y-Yeah sure!”

 

“Alright– spin clockwise in three- two-”

 

“Which way’s clockwise!?” Carapace shouted. Panthera blinked, looking down at her hands- wait which way is it? Oh right- RIGHT– before pressing hard against her staff.

 

“It’s the way your right hand is now SPIN!” She ordered, eyes snapping down at Risposte’s slipping footing. She sweeped hard as her and Carapace’s backs pressed hard against each other and their bodies whipped around in a sudden twist that brought Riposte stumbling uncontrollably with a surprised shout- her bladed hand swinging around erratically much to the Mime’s terror. Panthera’s eyes thinned on his akuma– how terribly unlucky it would be for him if Riposte would hit just at the spot he’d hate.

 

Shink! His hat fell into two pieces, revealing the man beneath dizzy and confused. Panthera blinked wide, going to say something to comfort the poor dude, but seeing Riposte fighting to catch her balance, she was already pouncing.

“RAGH!”

 

“GAGH! GET OFF YOU–!”

 

The scraping shriek of claw against metal filled her ears as she fought Riposte against the cement, before jamming the blade into the space between a bench post’s metal bars. Panthera let out a rushed breath, seeing her own reflection staring back upon Riposte’s twisted face in a warped red glazy look. She gulped and shouted-

 

“CARAPACE!”

 

“ON IT!”

 

But she couldn’t hear the satisfying snap of metal and properly greeted the fencer, because just her luck that was when her ears perked up and she heard the snarl in her ear before the heavy force of fur and teeth was slamming into her. A piercing sound reverberated in her ears as the cement scraped against her skin, the pain numbed quickly thanks to the ring, but the awareness of the claws digging into her jacket was becoming an increasing issue that only spiked when her eyes opened and she met feline.

 

“REMATCH, INFERIOR SPECIES!” Animan snarled spit and slobber against her face, fangs like daggers shining in the hot red summer glow.

 

“This is more like a mirror match.. Get more original..!” Panthera hissed, trying to kick the overgrown furrball in the stomach but it was not working. In fact, he was getting heavier, and was that scales he was growing? 

 

“Fine. Then let’s FIX THAT! I’ll send you back to the Jurassic!” Oh no. Wait did T-Rex’s live in the Jurassic? Was that right? She could ask Kim later. He liked dinosaurs as a kid. Wait— was there even a later?! The akuma let out another fearsome growl, face warping into a more raptor-like form– threatening to bite her face clean off, but was cut off by a terrible yowl. 

 

Flying off of Panthera in a surprised shock, Animan was sent stumbling a few paces away, body growing and snapping wildly at the air with nothing but a clumsy abandon. Panthera dizzily sat up, palming at the slight torn holes in her jacket and trying to calm her breathing before having to duck under a T-Rex’s tail. Panthera shook her head. 

 

“Those should have feathers shouldn’t they..?” She mumbled slowly, gaze riding up slowly upon the akuma’s figure before seeing a spot of orange blur cackling and yipping on his scaly back. 

 

“YEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!” Rena screamed, looking a little too excited over the thing she was doing, even recording herself with her flute . Rena flipped her hair out of the way, a wiley grin spreading across her face as she held onto the monster’s back, turning her head with her eyes to the now thundering sky. 

 

You know what. That fit. Panthera thought, blocking an incoming projectile with her staff without much thought- until she took a light sniff and while the slowly increasing taste of sulfur and smoke from the worsening weather was something she was growing more conscious of— the smell that came to her made her eyes thin immediately. She knew Rose’s perfume anywhere.

 

Her eyes shot to the sky with a terrified hitch in her breath. And there she saw a terrible hot pink riding upon her own gun like a terrible witch—!

 

“Panthera! Pharaoh’s Pendant!” Juleka blinked, ducking instinctively as the sound of wind cutting against skin hit her ears just in time to dodge out of Pharaoh's swooping. She outstretched her hand immediately and clawed down Pharoah’s stomach as he passed her by, sending him shrieking and crashing hard into the ground in a surprised heap of feathers and broken necklace pieces. 

 

Not a good landing– she wasn’t careful–! Shit! Get a hold of yourself. But I can’t fight her. You need to— No. Help. Get help. You can get help. Team. Team good. Panthera grasped her shaking hands, shaking herself as she forced herself to steel her heart. Head spinning, she looked to Rena who was still driving Animan around and shouted—!

 

“RENA! PRINCESS FRAGRANCE!” 

 

“Huh? Dgh! I sure smell her— I GOT IT” Rena shouted, yanking Animan around with a concrete cracking turn. Like a javelin, she reeled her flute back and threw hard. The force of her throw caused a second explosion of sound that shook the atmosphere. It shot through Princess Fragrance’s gun, shattering glass across the pavement. Her heart cracked with it though, watching Rose— Rose Rose— Rose- FALL- AND—

 

“QUEEN BEE! RESCUE!” Ladybug shouted for her, the saving angel she was. In a simple flash of gold. Juleka’s fears were dashed across the pavement she’d feared Rose would end up, and was frozen in place like a fool as she was placed gingerly against the ground by Queen Bee’s side. Her heart in the bee hero’s hands. She breathed—

 

Rena’s flute shot between her feet, digging about an inch or two into the ground with a crack. Juleka outstretched her claws, wrapping her ebony claws around it tightly before prying it out. Get a hold of yourself. She scolded herself, forcing herself to look away even if seeing Rose safe would give her relief. It took every atom of her power not to run over and hold her face in her hands and kiss it till she was certain she was safe. You’re getting distracted, you need to be calm.

 

“Nice aim, Fox! Nice catch, Bee!” She called out thickly, trying to relax the tension in her shoulders. Calm yourself. Calm yourself. Juleka tried to breath, throwing the flute back up into the air and trusting the passing Rena to catch it as Animan’s form crumbled into a poof of smoke, revealing the zookeeper in the evil’s remains.

 

Panthera just stumbled through the explosions of chaos and electrical blasts. When’s your next fight coming? Is it coming above? She couldn’t see Stormy Weather, still in her cyclone, the eye of the storm staring back with his terrible eyes. Is it coming in front? She could see Ladybug fighting her own fight. Or is it coming from BEHIND—!

 

She didn’t get to finish her sentence as suddenly she heard the scrape of metal go across the floor— Juleka turned immediately with a manic flare in her eyes, her staff fell to the ground for instead she reached out with her claws to meet Prince Shining’s blade in the middle.

 

Blood spilt down her palm in dripping beads of red as she crushed the blade into shattered mirrors. His button eyes widened as she breathed slowly. And then control whipped back into her chest as she processed what had occurred and she’d never do quickly suplexed a man in her life—

 

“mmMMNOOOOPE NOPE NOPE!” 

 

His akumatized object immediately exploded and the cat hero was immediately shuffling away, letting Carapace to usher the theater kid to safety with the other people they’d saved. Panthera’s breath felt cold and foreign in her lungs, this terrible tightness claiming her nerves. 

 

A hand grasped her shoulder and Panthera needed not look for she recognized Ladybug without sight or hearing, simply her warm touch that overpowered every sense and emotion.

 

“Be calm!” Be calm. She had to be calm. 

 

Juleka spun her staff at her side, claws twitching as she forced herself to stay starboard with her soul. There was a shrieking of sirens against the wood and a spray of salt against her lips threatening to keen her overboard. But what could she do?

 

Be calm.

 

“I FOUND YOU! FAKER!”

 

“What the–!?” Rena looked up, landing next to her. Her head swiveled around, “WHO SAID THAT!?”

 

They all looked up to see the arc.. Fixed? But it literally just crumbled? Her ears pinned backwards. Seeing– a small spot of red standing above them all with a long, foxy smile on her face. Oh god damn it. Rena gasped, clutching her metaphorical pearls.

 

“FAKER!?” She cried, her violet eyes were wide with offense, she pointed upwards at the faux fox. “I THINK YOU’RE THE FAKE FOX AROUND THESE PARTS, VOLPINA!”

 

It was all very amusing on its own, but it felt, distracting. Juleka glanced backwards and her blood ran cold, nudging Queen Bee’s arm a bit.

 

“Yo, Bee.”

 

“H-Huh? Oh shIT!” A crowd of akumas were beginning to form behind them. Mummies, knights, shit, they forgot about Pharaoh and Dark Blade’s powers- fuck fuck fuck. She focused.

 

“Help with the...” She awkwardly pointed at the two volpines shouting at each other and she nodded quickly.

 

“Yeah on it.”

 

“–YOU’RE COMPARING YOURSELF TO ME?! HAH! YOU’RE NOT EVEN GOOD ENOUGH TO BE MY FAKE!”

 

“I’LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE–!”

 

“RENA FOCUS! YOU DUMB FOX!” Queen Bee shouted, launching her spinning top forward and striking into the arc. It exploded in a ring of orange dust and Volpina disappeared immediately. Panthera hissed, but seeing the crowd converging on them she just pushed them forward, the blood still rushing in her head.

 

“GO GO GO!”

 

 

“Gh—! SHIT!”

 

“Careful, Bay—Bee!” Rena helped Queen Bee onto their ledge. But there was not a moment of peace as they all were forced to immediately leap over the sweeping reach of Gigantitan’s grabby hands. They hit the ground hard and were immediately running.

 

“It’s QUEEN BEE— QUEEN BEE! NOT BABY , FOX!” The blonde shrieked with indignation, wings buzzing behind her. Rena only laughed, making Queen Bee soon add with a tight frown that was fighting a grin, “I’LL— I’LL TURN YOU INTO A FUR COAT!”

 

“HEY!” Ladybug shouted over her shoulder, as they all ran over the crumbling brick shingles and tile, “GET ALONG YOU TWO!”

 

“She’s gonna turn this car around–”

 

“We’re just playin’ relax, Ladybug!” Rena reasoned quickly.

 

“Now’s not the time to play!” Ladybug snapped, “We have to stay serious! No distractions!”

 

“Dudes, I need a bathroom break. How do you guys pee in a superhero suit? Can I even take my pants off?”

 

“Heh. Heh-He-Hey Hey Shelly! Your fly is down!”

 

“Really?!— oh right I don’t have one of those.” Carapace stumbled as he inspected his pants, much to the amusement of Queen Bee and Rena. He looked up, “Hey, are we supposed to add one?!”

 

“GUYS I SAID FOCUS!” Ladybug barked, silencing the B-Team quickly with a silvery glare. A beat passed before the emerald hero quickened his pace a bit to meet up with Panthera.

 

“So Panthera can I ask if—“

 

“HAH!” Rena cackled. But the cat gave no response. Panthera just stared blankly into the abyss. She didn’t want to answer anything right now. She was too tired and busy pretending she wasn’t stressed for this, her mind more focused on where she was stepping and what to do next as blasts of electricity barely missed their skin. 

 

“He’s trying to drive us back!” Panthera shouted, pushing against a crowd of grasping hands. Mummified hands from Pharoah’s powers they didn’t see until now. 

 

“What do we do?! Can’t I heal them?!” Queen Bee cried out. Ladybug’s eyes flicked from side to side, spinning her yoyo quickly at her side.

 

“Momentary retreat!” She said, turning to the rest of the heroes, “We’ll work our way back! Don’t waste your powers! We need you here!”

 

The roof tops didn’t apply the best cover but the streets were still a danger zone of uncertainty. The entire city was. Wherever there was fear there was a potential akuma. They’d been out here for more than an hour or two now, that’s how it felt at least. But where would they swerve around? They’d just get herded away into a corner eventually.

 

“Panthera! Panthera!”

 

A hand snapped in front of her and she realized they’d stopped running. She blinked. Blink. Blink blink blink? Oh. Her hand hurt? Where were they? This wasn’t the roof tops. They were back on the ground.

 

“-era?” Huh? What? What’s..

 

“Era what? What era?” She sputtered in confusion, squinting at the orange in front of her. Then gold pushing in her way, blue irises squinting with concern.

 

“Wh– she said your name, Panthera. Are you okay?” Panthera blinked, not processing what was, oh these were the other heroes. This was Chloe. Chloe was holding her hands now and- oh why did one still hurt? There were, bits on it. Squares? Oh. Shards of rock? Rocks? What rocks? Brick? 

 

“Huh?”

 

“I’m asking if you’re okay.” Chloe repeated slowly. Was Juleka okay? She was fine, she was calm, maybe a little confused how she got here– oh.

 

“GAGH- my head.. Thanks for savin’ me I guess..”

 

“Are alright, Alix?”

 

“I guess.. My knee sorta hurts. And well- again- my head.” Juleka slowly zoned in on Alix’s appearance. Oh she was deakumatized. When did that happen? That was nice, Timebreaker was scary, how did she get deakumatized could you deakumatize yourself? Wait.. Alix waved a hand. “But it’s fine, I've been through worse. You should’ve seen the last dare I had with my buddy Kim. I got stuck in the basketball hoop.” 

 

“Ugh. Dummy! Here let me–”

 

“Queen Bee. We can’t have you wasting your powers.”

 

“But–!”

 

“I’ll be fine, I got bandaids I guess. And the cure’ll fix me up afterwards! I just gotta get to shelter!”

 

Juleka’s eyes slowly trailed away from the noises and the voices and the colors and the people, to focus on the cracks that trailed horribly like spider webs across the brick wall next to them. Cracked. Brick. Juleka’s ears pinned back against her head, clenching her fist tight, doing her best to flick the pieces off her knuckles. 

 

I’m powerful. Too powerful. Not powerful enough. You’re powerful enough. You need this power. It’s good power. I trust you with this power. I don’t trust myself. Juleka blinked, hand clutching her head. Oh. She didn’t like that. Forget it. Ignore it.

 

“Come on, we gotta go! We can use the back alleys as our way back to the tower and get this over with!”

 

“Finally!”

 

Panthera’s hand traced over the edge of the broken brick, but she wasn’t, what if–

 

“Come on, Panthera! While the giants are drawn in the city! We have to rush Hawkmoth!” Giants? Oh. The- ground rumbled as Gigantitan babbled by. Her eyes thinned, shaking her head. Hawkmoth’s fault. This is Hawkmoth’s fault. This is all his fucking fault.

 

“I’m coming!” Panthera hissed through her teeth, a pace behind Ladybug as her heat raced for sanity and reason. Perhaps if she could just imagine things going well. Imagine things going well.. The group getting there safe, getting through the army- maybe saving a few people while they were at it- Ladybug being impressed- then getting to Hawkmoth- and- and–

 

MAIM.

 

KILL.

 

KILL HIM.

 

What?

 

Panthera stumbled at the edge of Trocadero, watching her shadow. Silent, cold. That's how she felt. Was that calm? Was that what calm felt like? Her eyes were as thin as slits now. Her blood was pumping so loud through her head it was like a second heartbeat. But maybe there was something else. Something else in her? Something was writhing like tentacles in her chest, trying to slither up her throat and be a new flavor of cruel she’d hate–!

 

She gripped her ring tight. Why wasn’t she calm? Was what was going to go wrong? 

 

Everything. 

 

“HIT THE DECK!” 

 

“Ggh–!”

 

“PAY ATTENTION! STAY FOCUSED!” Ladybug cried, spinning her yoyo wildly as the group made their charge back onto their road to hell. Thunderbolts and lightning, so very frightening, as the smell of sulfur and the feeling of electricity rippled off her skin. Panthera was lost in the mayhem of it all. 

 

“UP TOP!”

 

“DOWN HERE!”

 

“TO YOUR LEFT!”

 

It was all just instinct. Was that good? Was this strength fine? So long as it was protecting others? She didn’t like being so good at hurting. But if she imagined Hawkmoth underneath–!

The ground cracked as she pressed Guitar Villain’s face harder into the ground beneath her boot. Her claws reeled back, quickly turning it to rip the rockstar’s akuma off instead. But panic dropped back into her as a cold metal pressed hard into her throat. Panthera yelped, trying to grasp onto the object but found it- invisible? But–! The Mime!? But we already–!

 

She braced the ground hard and flipped the akuma hard over her shoulder, letting a deep, panicked breath out as she stared at the dazed akuma with confusion. But what– How did– Perhaps the panic could’ve– Then the sound of a snapping wire. Her eyes thinned, jerking her body to the side as the black arrow nearly cut by her cheek—!

 

“DARK CUPID!” Panthera screamed a terrible snarl as she stared at the sky. And there he was, like an archangel descending upon them, blackened feathers of ebony and scarlet light, with his arrows knocked in place and a terrible grin on his face. 

 

“Miss me?” He grinned maliciously.

 

“No, whore.” Queen Bee scowled at her side.

 

“Oh you’ll soon hate that you said that.” The akuma snarled, pulling back his quiver with a bitter focus as the akumas before them rose with snarled grins and terrible gazes. “My friends are gonna make sure of that..!”

 

Out of the majority they’d taken out before- shit– Hawkmoth must’ve gotten him to hunt down many of the unakumatized folk to take them back. All their progress. It all meant NOTHING! Fucker–! Juleka hissed, trying to calm her breath, calm her song, keep in time with the rhythm of the battle. Tick- tick- tick– Panthera’s hair bristled, claws twitching as she watched Dark Cupid’s muscles stretched and threatened immediate hatred with a single shot and she couldn’t–!

 

“SCATTER!”

 

Scattered arrows broke cement as they dodged. But Panthera could not rest, she could not focus. Because if she focused too hard on the arrows– Her breath hitched, ear pricking as she heard the harsh swoop of a sword. Tick- tick- tick- And craned her neck just in time to step away from a sword to the cheek. Her heart skipped a beat, meeting her reflection upon the blade’s surface, before gasping as the returning Riposte made another dash for her gut.

 

Panthera flipped backwards- or she meant to- stumbling only into an awkward zigzagged backpedal, as a lunge to her left was the fencer’s doing, but an arrow’s shot she could hear careening in on to strike her right. For a moment time stopped as the fear encased her mind with doubt– she forced herself to move faster, to keep in time with the beat. Tick tick tick–!

 

Her eyes narrowed, grabbing forth her staff to spin as she sent the arrow clanking off her steel before scraping it hard and fast against Riposte’s attack. A light cut grazed her knuckles painfully and Panthera’s tail lashed in response, taking a hard and quick charge forward, she tackled Riposte to the ground in a horrible tumble that sent them rolling several paces.

 

“GAH! GET OFF-!”

 

“NO WAY..!” Panthera breathed heavily, as they came to an exhausted stop. Her ears raised however, hearing another tick tick tick- and with a quick turn, she was prepared immediately to block another onslaught of arrows and projectiles with Riposte’s metal form, much to her... polite upset.

 

“YOU SCUM OF THE EAAAAAAAAAAAARTH!” How polite. But what wasn’t polite was the way her nose felt an explosion of pain as Riposte decided to take a cheeky blow to her front by smashing the back of her metal head into her face.

 

Panthera grimaced as her mind raced wildly as blasts of light from all sides threatened her focus. Should she de-akumatize Kagami? It’d be dangerous if Riposte stayed. But saving Kagami– That would be dangerous for her. She could get seriously hurt. Or akumatized again. That sounds exhausting. I’m so exhausted. Ma, I’m so exhausted. I gotta keep fighting.

 

“RAGH!” Panthera threw Riposte into a wall of grouping akuma, the clatter of sound barely a whistle in her ears. The blurs of scarlet and black streaming dark unease into her eyes. She couldn’t see. She could see perfectly. It was all just shapes and colors, spinning around her with her steps. Juleka could intimately line every detail with a paintbrush in her hand, she was the eye in the multicolor storm. It was all just red and nothing but that, no beauty. It was all just hate. Hate. Hate. Hate.

 

“This many heroes? Ridiculous, utterly ridiculous!”

 

“YOU! I’ll tear you apart..!”

 

“QUEEN BEE FOCUS! Don’t lose your temper!”

 

“This is a nightmare..!”

 

“CARAPACE GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE CLOUDS WE NEED YOU HERE!”

 

“I’M TAKING YOU DOWN VOLPINA!”

 

“Rena! DON’T GET CAUGHT UP WITH YOUR EMOTIONS!”

 

Ladybug.

 

She felt the danger first. It was different from feeling danger for herself. That was heated, that was instinct, that was feeling the fear coming and reacting with foresighted focus that felt like electricity running through her lungs.

 

But when it was Ladybug in danger, it felt like it had already happened. Juleka’s breath hitched, as she slowly turned. 

 

“LADYBUG!”

 

She wasn’t fast enough to move. But she could see the film of terror happen right before her very eyes, too many paces away to do anything about it. Ladybug was.. distracted. She always was. Working and thinking like the world didn’t exist with or without her input, like it didn’t spin without her permission, like she could trust herself to move without thinking and never trip up at some point. 

 

But this was ‘some point.’ This point, she forgot to bloody turn when her yoyo was yanked out of her hands, she didn’t think that it was a deliberate strategic ploy to keep her eyes away from the notched arrow now spiraling towards her. And it would’ve hit. But Ladybug was lucky.

 

The orange blur that rescued her just in the nick of time as all heroes did, was not. She was an illusion. She was the trick that made you think everything was fine, before reality struck and the terrible, kind stupidity that occurred hit them all like a cold bucket of water as they watched the arrow sink into Rena Rogue’s back.

 

Juleka could almost hear the ravens and their crying song now.

 

“GAAAUGH..!” Rena’s shriek was cut back with a terribly shocked choke. Her muscles seemed to lock then and even when her feet touched the ground, it was like her body was only hung up by a single string and everything had gone slack with yielded control. Ladybug’s eyes widened at the sight but she could hardly shout as the fox fell into her arms, claws digging into red and black. 

 

“Fox! R-Rouge! Rena!” Queen Bee cried out with fear, fighting back the many butterflies threatening to swarm upon them, Carapace at her side he processed last- and his gut wrenching cry was only filled with the most horrible despair.

 

“REENAAA!

 

“I’m s-Sorry..!” Rena hissed shortly, struggling almost to breathe as she dug her face into Ladybug’s shoulder with a pained hiccup.

 

“Rena?” Ladybug seemed to whisper, her voice like a dying soul, cupping Rena’s face as the arrow sunk into Rena’s suit with a horrid black glow of glitter and charcoal petals— And then an unforgiving snarl began to rise from the fox’s throat and replacing what was once a pained whimper into an ugly scream.

 

“GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME YOU FREAK..!”

 

“Oh no.” Juleka whispered, shaking her head as she wrestled against the claws of one of Pharoah’s mummified minions now pouring back into the battlefield. She couldn’t look now- but she saw the black lipstick now stained against Rena’s lips. This wouldn’t be good. This wouldn’t be good. No no no. She couldn't hurt some kid that was supposed to make this easier. 

 

Juleka kicked back the villain one last time, free from their grasp and turned hard— witnessing a ragefilling sight that made her guilt drop as her need to protect her partner engulfed her from head to toe—

 

“PARTNER!” 

 

“Why the fuck.. would I ever admire you..?” Rena’s voice shook. Her violet eyes burned deep into Ladybug’s horrified face, twitching and struggling to stay wide— her claws deepened into Ladybug’s shoulders as her throat tightened, choking out every word like it was utter poison against her blackened lips. “You’re.. nothing but a pathetic loser.. you’ve done nothing but.. disappoint me.! You’re a NOBODY! YOU’RE NOBODY TO ME!”

 

“RENA! PLEASE!” Ladybug shouted, only grasping Rena Rouge closer despite the pain she was clearly feeling, her silvery eyes pleading, like carven pieces of a mourning moon. “This isn’t you! This isn’t how you feel.! You have to calm down or else you’ll lose yourself! I’ll lose you! That’s what Hawkmoth WANTS!”  

 

“MAYBE I WANT THAT NOW!”

 

I’m sorry, Rena.! Panthera’s claws stretched outwards as she launched herself into Rena’s side. Her nails sunk deep, and her lips curled back as they went crashing across the ground, causing terrible cracks to lay across the surface as claws raked against skin and hair flew into the air in torn strings.

 

They came to a terrible stop, gravel crunching beneath their scraped skin. The cat reeled backwards as she leaned high and above their toppled pile, watching as Rena’s hair stuck up on end like a rabid–creature, teeth gnarled into a gritted snarl. Her eyes a violent, vile, violet– and it was also so scared. Juleka’s face fell, finding her own flecks of green reflected back–

 

And then it was all swallowed by a red bubbling mist.

 

“PANTHERA!” 

 

A line wrapped around her waist, yanking her back hard. But it was messy. She skidded against the ground, rolling, scraping, grinding her nails against the ruined cement. And then she came to a stop, splayed on her back as the breath that had been knocked out of her lungs a good- three bumps ago- returned with an icy inhale that was only loved by the pounding in her head. That hurt.. Everything hurts.

 

“Panthera!” The line around her waist loosened and she looked up to see it return to the golden spinning top that saved her, and it’s owner that was bending over her with worried bruised across her face. Queen Bee squinted with fear, “Are you okay!?”

 

“Is–?”

 

“DUDES WE GOTTA GO! We gotta GO!” 

 

“Huh.?”

 

“RENA!” Ladybug screamed. Blurs of reds and blacks and golds and greens everywhere, but no orange. Juleka struggled to focus but nothing was just anything— just shapes. Just curves. Just edges and lines wiggling like tapeworms over her eyes and a rising figure looking more and more wrong—

 

Juleka never really thought about it. Never really considered the idea of it. She was sure no one else did. Though, today sure painted a potential idea of it with Ladybug killing her. But now that she was seeing it so terribly— she supposed it was always a probable and logical conclusion that a hero wasn’t immune to an akuma. That a hero could become an akuma.

 

“GO GO! This isn’t working!” Carapace’s shouting suddenly came through the fog of shock, blinking her out of her daze as his voice came on like a sudden brunt force. A strength it’s way in his lungs as he yanked Ladybug desperately to her feet.

 

“I- I need to make a plan—!”

 

“We don’t have time for that! We need a play strategy! Not a plan!”

 

“Th-That’s the same thing! You all need to listen to—!”

 

“Carapace, cover us!” Juleka shouted, tugging Ladybug back as she returned to her wobbling feet. The smoke that consumed Rena was twitching and writhing like a cocoon now, changing and warping the girl inside. Her heart sank with dread but she had to keep the rest safe she had to—!

 

“On it!” He held up his shield, blocking another barrage of arrows. Ladybug was saying back and forth behind her, Panthera grimaced- her heart racing as she led them all backwards. We were too open. We aren’t an army. We’re just—! She cursed to herself at the situation at hand. They were being chased forward and back. Forward and back. She was frustrated. She was pissed. Calm down. Be calm. Be calm. What can be done? There’s so many akumas and all the people of Paris still hiding.. wait—

 

“Bee!” Panthera shouted next to her as they made their way out onto the streets, the golden hero’s blue and gold eyes lighting up with an attentive focus as her voice fell into a determined hiss, “Make a call to the hotel and tell everyone to holler everyone they know and cause a riot.”

 

“What?!”

 

“I don’t want them fighting anybody that’s dangerous but if we can get a mob going to cause too much of a ruckus, then we’ll get an opening to Hawkmoth!” Panthera directed, trying not to show the hesitance in her voice. She had no idea what she was thinking. But..

 

If everyone in Paris was a hero, then maybe this battle could be rewritten. Then maybe this day could be saved. And Juleka was scared— She was scared there were only them in this world. We’re the ones tasked to save the city. Why is it just us? I want to cower too. She thought, looking back at the hustling group. But I have to be brave. We all do. And I know others can as well. We can be brave together. 

 

“You’ve got it!” Queen Bee hustled to grab her spinning top but it was then the ground began to crack. Panthera’s stomach dropped as a sudden burst of a green began to erupt beneath the surface. Writhing tangled vines exploding in overgrowth, wrapping around lamp posts and contorting itself like a rising body trying to breathe. The group screamed, fighting for stability.

 

Panthera lost her grip on her staff immediately despite her best efforts, and so too did she lose her distant grip on Ladybug who was sent tumbling back with Carapace who braced their impact with his shield. Panthera gripped tight to the vines, nails digging into the surface before a horrible voice began to holler above; 

 

“REMATCH, CAT! MY STAGE EXIT WASN’T GOOD ENOUGH!” Prince Shining began to descend with his blade once more, his bloody tattered cape waving behind him. Her eyes narrowed.

 

“Could you just not piss yourself for once?!” Juleka grit her teeth but the panic setting in her chest was so undeniable she’d thought she’d already been stabbed. Her hand reached for her staff but—! 

 

SLASH!

 

Juleka managed to dodge underneath his beheading slice, making an attempt to slash at his stomach, succeeding the second time by kicking her boot hard into her chest- only to be sent hurtling back as a tangle of vines slammed hard into her gut. GAH! She silently screamed, trying not to bite her tongue at the bloom of pain in her ribs that was now wrapping around her shoulders and throat.

 

Tick-Tick-Tick—!

 

Her heart skipped a beat, looking up to see Dark Cupid’s wings beating above with his arrow notched and aiming. Her mouth slowly dropped. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! Her mind shrieked with panic.

 

“PANTHERA!”

 

“BEE..!” Juleka cried out watching as the golden blur flew past her, and watched as she struck Dark Cupid hard. The two fell dazed through the air for a moment before reeling back like quarreling birds and coming to wrestle in the air once more- crashing claws and scowling shouts. 

 

“I GOT THIS! RUN!” Queen Bee shouted over her shoulder, her hair a falling mess as she held Dark Cupid in a fumbling head lock- both of their wings struggling to keep them and the other up. Juleka’s heart was racing. No no nononononon no no no no not her. I was responsible for her. I need her safe. I–

 

Juleka felt like she was burning watching. Burning. Burning. Burning. And then—! Something else was. The smell of something like smoke and sulfur filling her lungs with something electrical and metallic tasting upon her tongue- and her heart dropped with confusion when the vines around her suddenly gave.

 

She slammed hard into the ground, cracks in the cement bleeding around her. Panthera wheezed for control, for sense, but all she felt was confusion and dizziness. Her breath choked in her throat as she tried to sit up and dust the debris off her leather jacket— but as she raised her hand up there was- for a flash- a blackness that seemed to writhe like a bubbling mass of ink up her fingers—!

 

“What the—!” Juleka nearly screamed but when she blinked it was gone. She breathed heavily, eyes flicking away and back before scrambling quickly to her feet. Just run. Just move. Don’t think. Don’t think.! BUT CHLOE! You’re so useless.! She shrieked at herself, clutching her chest and her heart hoping she could control her calm her calm her calm- but it only got worse when she met up with Ladybug and Carapace- the last of- outside the tangle of vines and they looked up.

 

“BEE!” Carapace cried over his shoulder, holding Ladybug up by his arms slackly and when Juleka turned to see, her mouth dried with horror, seeing the bee hero swarmed in the air by the many akumas now swirling circles around her in a kaleidoscope of horrors and in one strike she went meteoring down into the ground in an explosion of dust and red.

 

Juleka stumbled, unsure whether to back away or rush forward, watching as the unseen body of Queen Bee was immediately being lunged by the terrible swarm of butterflies and arrows now plummeting down into her- Juleka’s scream cut off by sounds of cackling. 

 

“No no no no. We’re supposed to—“ Carapace hiccuped with fear, gripping Ladybug tight. Panthera spun, looking at the fearful emerald hero. But she could not comfort him in the rush of red that was hunting them down all around them. And she pushed him to run. They just kept running. Somewhere that isn’t above. Somewhere below. Just- keep-! Where’s the nearest-!

 

“To the sewers!” Panthera hissed, tail lashing behind her as she tried not to limp. But what hope was there? What hope was there? She could feel the swarm of akumas coming at them from just breaths away, grasping for her every limb and strand of hair.

 

The manhole ahead was ripped up by Carapace, and Ladybug slid in first, but when Panthera caught up to take the lid— Carapace nearly stood by her, motioning for her to go in instead. Her face fell seeing his terrified expression, sunken despairingly beneath his goggles, and the little red butterflies sitting upon his suit, eating at him like blood. 

 

“Just go,” Carapace’s voice cracked, “Let me protect you guys..”

 

Juleka’s heart shattered, but she was ushered in anyways. 

 

The lid clamped over before she could make a move to drag him down with— and she could hear the barrage of arrows being cut off by the sound of the quiet tick of her boots against wet cement. Juleka let out a shuddered breath, stumbling, and she collapsed to her knees against the wall.

 

“FUCK.!”

 

 

They’d been fighting for so long. Longer than they’d ever had. Juleka didn’t think she’d ever feel her stamina tested. But as the two heroes sat in the sewers, backs against the wet and grime, she could feel her bones grow heavier and heavier, every time she made an effort to move. Juleka halfheartedly lobbed her jacket off of her sweaty shoulders, digging her face into her crossed arms- hoping maybe the world would disappear if she stopped seeking it.

 

Oh god she felt sick. It was all so fucking loud. It was all so fucking loud.

 

“Ma’..,” Her voice twisted into a slow and diseased slur, lips pressed thin bloody line that mumbled the quietest of words, in a tone barely audible to anyone but herself, “I.. wanna go home now,”

 

“We.. can’t do that, Panthera. You know that.”

 

“I want someone to wash my hair from all this gross sweat,” Juleka’s voice broke, covering her eyes with her burning fingertips and knuckles. “It’s gross, it’s heavy, I hate it, please, I wanna go home.”

 

“..thera, are you talking to me?”

 

“I wanna go home.” Her body ached, it ached like dying did, like falling against the stage, like being dropped against bathroom tile, and being beaten into the cement by a sea of red. It hurt. And she wanted it to be just quiet. “I wanna go home, ‘ma. I don’t wanna fight anymore.”

 

“..era–”

 

‘-Oh Juleka, lass. –‘ ‘“ Her eyes slowly blinked open. She didn’t realize how hard that was until she felt the dribbles of blood running down her face in lines that burned with a hot pain. But still, Juleka tried her best to blink her eyes open, to wipe the red away with her glove, to feel the coolness other ring against her grimy cheek and imagine it was her mother’s calloused hand instead, rubbing her thumb kindly to push the soot away. ‘ “ you’re hurt.”

 

“I didn’ realize somethin’ scratched me but.. ‘Am fine.. Don’t worry about me..” Juleka mumbled quietly, “I just wanna go home.”

 

“  ‘ Oh la ss it’s oka y,” Juleka’s throat went up into a hurt purr, hoping in some semblance maybe she really could just go back to bed and sleep through the rest of the universe, but, “y ou just have to...” ‘

 

“Panthera,” Juleka’s eyes fluttered with confusion, scraping her eyes upwards slowly to see Ladybug staring back, silvery eyes digging into her soul, her lips drew tight, hands shaking against her cheeks as she held her pained sigh while Ladybug simply asked, “Can you hear me?”

 

Juleka stared vacantly into the sewer, eyes riding up vaguely to count the wall tiles, before breathing, “I hear you, partner.” 

 

“Panthera,” Ladybug softly said, taking her hand and squeezing it tight. The hero stood so high above her, it felt so impossible to follow, it was nearly an insult to hear her sweetly say; “Come on, we need to go.”

 

“Partner..” Juleka echoed dryly, staring at her ring defeatedly. Everything was so painful, her knees so tight against her chest. Could she even try? Was she just, unhelpful to Ladybug now? If she couldn’t fight? “I don’t know if... if...”

 

“‘  ‘ Jule  ka me an’ ma ..” ‘ 

 

“Ju   l es ‘ im still o ut the re”

 

“j  ul eka you gott a get up and fight fer’ us‘

 

“I can.. I don’t think I can..” Juleka struggled, raising her claws as she tried to remember what words she had to even say as the blood continued to wilt her eyes close, “I don’t.. Know if..”

 

“Panthera,” The red squeezed her hand tight.

 

“Y OU mUst ST AND, C AT.”

 

Her mouth fell, eyes wide as a horrible chill began to claw up her spine that burned like a brand into her skin, releasing something that was living beneath like a hot fever of a creature calling her name. Seasick on land. Landsick and full of water, sloshing uncontrollably in her chest.

 

“You mus t be the one. Y OU  must do WH at you M US T.”

 

“I...” She felt so queasy, clammy hand slowly climbing to clasp across the lower half of her face as her eyes stretched like displates for what she could see for the split millisecond that blurred her vision like a drowning glaze across her eyes- thinking it could fool her with its disappearance of figure- was something unexplainably terrifying, for it was a sight she’d only once seen absolutely for sure—

 

 “ d o   w h at y ou m ust.”

 

“Panthera! Are you listening?”

 

‘ “ you have to stand. “

 

“Y ou gotta stand .!”

 

“Lass. Stand.”

 

“Panthera?”

 

“ do what you must, cat. do want you want. It is all the same. “

 

I want to kill Hawkmoth. Juleka’s eyes thinned, throat filling with a boiling feeling that was eating her heart out. And now, I Must.

 

And she was calm. And she was calm. The sea had stilled. That’s how it felt at least. 

 

“I’m fine,” The cat whispered, and with a strength she could only harbor now she pushed herself up the wall with only a slight stumble in her stance, before looking down at Ladybug with a burning smile. “I’m alright. We’ve been in worse spots before, haven’t we?”

 

“Y-Yeah! We have um, are you alright?” Ladybug asked unsurely. The cat eyed her slowly, slit eyes twitching up and down before nodding reassuringly. Her vision was, clearer now, looking at Ladybug. Like the lines that brought every shape and color together had calmed down. 

 

“Mhm. Just remind me to change my suit into a crop top after this. It’s summer and I’m fuckin’ sweaty.” That spurred a short awkward laugh out of the red hero, making her muscles relax with a better sense of ease, before her voice darkened. “Rena, Bee, Carapace..”

 

“We can’t worry about them right now.. But if we come across them I can handle them.” Ladybug said, crossing her arms with a tense look in her silvery eyes. Her ribbons twitched above her head, as she began to trace away. “I didn’t think this would go so terribly.. But we can always fix this.”

 

“They need training, Bug.” Panthera grimaced, looking down at the crown of her head. Silvery eyes slowly ticked back to meet her gaze. Her claws came to rest in her pockets slowly, cocking her head slowly to the side like a limp egg yolk, her eyes grazing over the wet ceiling cracks, “They need to be around more than just the times we need ‘em.”

 

“I’ll ask the Guardian.”

 

“You said you would–”

 

“Well now’s just not the time!” Panthera’s ears pinned back a bit but she decided to not press. Ladybug sighed, before smiling at her with her fist up. “It’s fine anyways, we just need us. The duo that has always worked out! You and me against the world, Panthera!”

 

“You and me, partner” Panthera nodded, bringing their knuckles together as if it would quell the unease in hesther chest. And then, in the quiet tick of a heartbeat, a rumble strayed between them. A slam above. A crack in the cement, a crumble of debris dusting down from above. 

 

They glanced at each other and decidedly started running.

 

The burst of red into the sewers behind them was shockingly terrifying considering the grime and slide of the wet ground. But Juleka was calm, she was, genuinely this time. There was a goal at hand and she knew they’d get to it, they just had to survive.  

 

“Up up up!” Ladybug shouted, screeching to a slippery halt, pointing at a sewage ladder next to them. They clambered up quickly, Panthera’s tail lashing behind her as their steps echoed through the depths.

 

Breaking the manhole open, they immediately slammed it shut behind them, hearing a clambering beneath. Panthera’s head spun around, bursting into a run as she saw the pried open manhole from afar that they’d initially jumped into and went to close that too- an abrupt and upset slam coming from the inside.

 

“Sorry about that, the smell will stay for hours,” Juleka dryly commented.

 

“Panthera let’s go! Let’s take the Seine route!”

 

“I’m coming!”

 

“Hey! Look who it is!” They turned a corner and their eyebrows raised with surprise, Ladybug holding back a shocked gasp. Where Gigantitan would’ve been terrorizing the streets and cars was only but a crowd, surrounding what looked like the happiest baby surrounded by different cooing mothers of different ages, waving away butterflies with simple mortal hands unbothered by the war of a waging maniac— quickly Ladybug snatched them all up but her face was still appalled with confusion and shock at it all.

 

“How is this—“

 

“We got a call that our heroes needed help.!” Panthera’s ears ticked upwards, seeing- pushing through the crowd uneasily- Sabrina holding up her phone for some sort of show. She tightened her grip on her little rake she was holding, “So we’ve all been calling everyone to just do our best on the streets.!”

 

“Yeah! Turns out when it comes down to it, these akuma are just fly weights. Ain’t nothing compared to a giant crowd of people.” Nora appeared from the crowd with a lively smirk, knocking a broken pipe over her shoulder. 

 

“But you guys aren’t,” Ladybug began shakily, confusedly, staring through the crowd with worry and unsureness. 

 

“They wanna help, partner. It’s Heroes Day ain’t it?” Juleka murmured, still in awe at what this many people were able to accomplish. It made her heart burst. She looked down at Ladybug, “Tell ‘em what we need.”

 

Ladybug pursed her lips and nodded, flashing a bright smile.

 

“Thank you all for your help! We’re currently being hunted by a huge group of akuma!” Ladybug shouted with her hand cupped over her mouth, “If you all can manage to stay safe but distract them! We’ll be making another charge towards the tower!”

 

“You’ve got this Ladybug!”

 

“Use my bicycle!”

 

“This lane has been blocked off—“

 

“Make it safely-“

 

“Have you two eaten yet do you need a break—“

 

“Take your time! We’ve got you guys covered!”

 

“You’re our heroes!”

 

Rushing through the crowd, Juleka felt like she was back earlier today. A long celebration of people all around. Of reds, oranges, yellows, greens, and now a flash of purple as her hair flicked past her face. All these people were risking their lives— Juleka’s heart raced. They had to get this done. They had to–!

 

“Get this done–!”

 

“You got this–!”

 

Her steps nearly faltered as they burst from the bulk of the crowd, Juleka’s eyes tracing backwards widely as a flash of a red bandana and silver hair at the loyal side of punkish blue dye caught her eyes. And then she kept running, seeing flashes of faces she’d momentarily seen before in the people she’d saved, in the people she’d see in coffee shops and school grounds- armed with sticks and clunky debris for weaponry. 

 

The run to the Eiffel Tower was quieter than they expected. Raging akuma peaking their way to try and meet them, but they just kept running, trusting they’d be slowed down. The constant feeling of being stalked and chased was a feeling they could ignore as they were down on the hunt for one more prey. Soon, cement began to turn into ice. Her eyebrows jumped to the crown of her hair with shock.

 

“Frozer!”

 

“I know!” Ladybug’s breath came out in a puff of white air, lashing out her yoyo quick as the sound of scraping ice filled their ears. The flash of blue caught their gaze and they could see the akuma charging towards them with a devious glint in his eyes. Panthera quickened her run, feeling the imperfect slip begin to build like a conscious mistake beneath her feet before leaping forward into a guitar slide. Frozer shouted, jumping over her on instinct only to meet the snap of wire wrapping around him in a bind and the shattering of his skates.

 

The ground began to humble itself into a slow melt, the splash of water beneath her boots accentuating her timed beat. Panthera tried to keep her breath easy as they approached the tower closer and closer, fearless even as its protecting titans loomed high above them in the form of Gamer’s mech and Glaciator’s ice cream form. Her tempo just increased in response to the challenge.

 

“PANTHERA! GLACIATOR!”

 

“ON IT!” It was summer time, she’d love an ice cream right now beneath this increasing heat that was boiling beneath her skin. He tried his best to shoot a barrage of ice cream at her, but instead she slid through the misses. 

 

Extending her staff– Panthera took a running leap before vaulting high into the air, smiling as she twisted in the air to see a flash of friendly red in the form of Ladybug– the heroine gliding past her as a beam of glowing late blasted past them– the causes of friendly fire taking Gamer in a deep freeze and Glaciator in a flash of light.

 

Flipping around, now falling, Panthera watched as Ladybug’s yoyo shot past her to latch further out onto the tower itself. Her tail lashed beneath her, hand already shooting out to catch Ladybug’s grip, being yanked into a tight hug as they swung down to glide across the ground before snapping upwards.

 

The two flipped through the air, like cutting spirits, before they landed hard onto the Eiffel Tower’s first ‘floor’. The resounding echoing sound like a gong playing out in her head. Juleka caught her breath, but only held it in her throat as she looked up. They made it. They made it. And there he was. Was it..?

 

“So, you’ve finally arrived.” His back was to them, but it felt so, wrong. Was it cause they’d never seen him before? Immediately Panthera was taking in every inch of him. He was tall, terribly tall actually, with a cowl-like mask that stretched over his head into a smooth, bald surface and in his hand he held a pimp-like cane. His voice was so dark, it felt like dripping mold and cruelty, and when he turned, there was a glazed butterfly visor worn over his glaringly smug eyes. 

 

“Hawkmoth...” Panthera growled, gripping her staff tight, as an increasing weathering began to rip apart her tide. HAWKMOTH… HAWKMOTH... HAWKMOTH...!

 

“It’s over.” Ladybug said thickly, catching her breath slowly. She held up her yoyo with a determined burning in her silvery eyes that nearly matched the lilac sheen Hawkmoth glared back with. “You’ll call back your forces and give us your Miraculous, now!”

 

“Foolish children.” Hawkmoth growled darkly, “Are you sure you're not making a serious mistake?”

 

“A mistake?” Ladybug’s eyebrow cocked up. Juleka’s eyes snapped back to her quizzes but burned her worries away to control the anger brimming in her chest. Ever the glutton for knowledge, Ladybug’s ribbons twitched above her head as she only said one word, “Explain.”

 

“How would you know if the wish I was planning to make with your Miraculous wouldn't have been beneficial to everyone?” He started with a slow and methodical tick that felt so strange and unearthly. Juleka’s ear twitched as he took a step forward– it was- off beat to the sound of his own footing. The light tick of his shoe against the concrete, it didn’t sync up. “If you ask me, the real villains are you two from stopping me from making the most heroic action any man could do.”

 

“If you were to make a wish, there'd be a price to pay!” Ladybug shouted, but Juleka was distracted now, staring confusedly at the way Hawkmoth stared at them. Something was increasingly wrong with his image, “No matter what you do, you’ll curse someone else.”

 

“Unlike you, I'm not afraid to use these powers.” Hawkmoth growled, “I’m the only one who has the guts to do something good with them. I’m the only one who has the determination to see what I want done!”

 

“We are changing the world every day by our actions. Not just by wishing our troubles away at the expense of the innocents, at the expense of the world!” Ladybug cried out in indignation, “What even is your wish!?”

 

“Give me your Miraculous and you'll find out!” Hawkmoth roared. Tick. Her ears perked up. She heard a foot step. And it wasn’t Hawkmoth’s. Tick. Panthera’s eyes thinned. Tick–!

 

“PARTNER!” She harshly turned, extending her staff into strike towards the unknown. An echoing slam crashed through her ears and her voice hiccuped into a shocked gasp, meeting her own gaze in the reflective mirrored sheen of a familiar yet warped shield. In a painful slam she was sent flying backwards, shattering Hawkmoth’s form into an explosion of toxic purple smoke. 

 

Tick tick tick–! Panthera jumped backwards, once, twice, unsure whether to move left or right as the sharp end of a spinning top came stabbing at her like a sting– but soon she had no choice when her back hit the railing and she threw herself to the side before the shattering of metal could be instead the shattering of bone.

 

Rolling for a long moment, her claws scraped her to a quick stop, catching her breath and panic tight in her chest. An illusion. A shield. A sting. The smoke cleared and Ladybug was rolling over at her side with her yoyo drawn, face twisted and morphed with a terrible look of fear as slowly approaching with glares and smirks and frowns of various twisted natured expressions was three figures. Three familiar figures, now warped and violated.

 

“It’s time to crush you to pieces..! You all better get out of my way or else..” The turtle villain grunted, his now burgundy and orange suit glimmered spiked and dark, his eyes glimmered dark beneath his dark visor as he muttered with a slow and sickly smile. “..this is gonna get reeaally messy.”

 

“SHUT UP! DO YOU EVER SHUT THE FUCK UP, SHELLSHOCK!?” The fox villain snarled, foam gathering at the edge of her gnarled fangs, claws outstretched and gripping her flute tight, her suit muted into dark purples spare for her violently red eyes. She glared outwards at them, “I’M THE ONE GOING TO PUT THESE FLY WEIGHTS INTO THE GROUND! IT’S YOUR FAULT THIS PLAN FAILED!”

 

“It was not!” Shellshock snapped, pointing to the side, “It was Queen Wasp’s fault for being a slow bitch! Don’t put this on me!”

 

“I just want this to be over, I just want this to be over..” Queen Wasp mumbled, spinning her weapon sadly in her hands, eyes dreary and bored looking. Her once golden outfit now drenched in a sad and depressing royal blue, glimmering only by the gold on her mask stretched out like mascara-tears and the butterfly emblem on her chest. A butterfly emblem they all shared in their own colors. Shellshock in this fiery orange surrounded by a teeth like texture, and Rena mixed with the lapels of her jacket in a bloody red.

 

“This is bad, this is bad,” Panthera stepped backwards, spinning her staff back in her hands. She looked up and could see a flash of red above, her lips curled into a grimace, shaking her fist in the air, “HAWKMOTH YOU COWARD!”

 

“We need to chase after him, to make sure he doesn’t get away where we can’t find him!” Ladybug shouted, looking back from the villain above and down at the friends before them who’d already begun to lunge. The two jumped backwards, a flurry of claws, steel, and wire being clashed at each other as they snarled over it all.

 

“What- do you- SUGGEST!?” Panthera yelped, being thrown onto her back as Shellshock bashed her against the ground with his shield. Immediately Queen Wasp set upon her, the spike at the end of her spinning top extending into a longer fencing-like blade that stabbed into the space betside Panthera’s cheek, barely nicking her ear and taking out one of her piercings. Juleka hissed, she kicked her off and jumped to her feet, striking her shoulder hard with her staff.

 

“Go up after Hawkmoth without me!” Ladybug shouted, shooting Panthera’s eyebrows up to mars. Ladybug looked up at her, “You need to make sure he doesn’t get away! I’ll handle these three!”

 

“But usually I’m the one who...”

 

“Distract him!” Juleka’s face fell, blocking another strike from Queen Wasp as Ladybug flipped Rena over her shoulder. The red heroine smiled confidently, spinning her yoyo at her side, “I’ll be securing the perimeter for my plan!”

 

Oh. Panthera Noire was a distraction once more. Juleka found that it had layers of irony. She was normally so invisible and yet she had a form so known for being seen and noticeable that she could not escape that role to play with such a ‘talent’. Oh well. Show time it was. And.. she’d get what she wanted. Panthera’s eyes thinned into needles, lips pulling into a carefully toothy smile.

 

“You’ve got it, partner!” She said, shoving Queen Wasp back before leaping upwards. Up. Up. Up. She had to go up.

 

“HEY! STOP HER!” She could hear Shell Shock screech with rage, “SHE’S GOING AFTER THE BOSS!”

 

A series of holographic orange scales began to line the world over her. She yelped, and immediately grabbed on instead. She felt her arm muscles tense hard above her as her legs kicked uselessly as she hung. Come on, come on! Panthera hissed to herself, lifting herself over the side of the hardened magic and rolling back into a run over the sky. Just keep going.! She shouted at herself, before leaping once more.

 

“Oh no you don’t!” Panthera landed hard against the side of one of the Eiffel Tower’s many legs, looking down hesitantly as she saw Queen Wasp’s hard fall back into the ground, ankle tied by Ladybug’s yoyo. Her face hardened, refocusing herself on one task;

 

Up.

 

Up.

 

Up.

 

Hurry. Take this chance to do something you’ve wanted all this time, while finally being supported–! Panthera’s nails dug hard into the heated metal of the tower, flipping upwards onto the final layer–! And–!

 

“TIME FOR YOUR HEART TO BREAK!”

 

“STORM!”

 

The cat’s eyes thinned angrily. Get out of my fucking way. She caught the arrow shooting towards her and immediately turned to stab it into Stormy Weather’s umbrella, snapping the plastic of it open. The weather akuma shrieked with terror, stumbling backwards before falling into the blonde reporter’s form. The girl’s eyes widened with shock, immediately running away with a scream while Dark Cupid came swooping in with a roar.

 

Her eyebrows furrowed, immediately grabbing the snapped umbrella and sweeping downwards beneath Dark Cupid’s swinging bow. She snapped her eyes up and slashed his pin open, cracking the butterfly out in a shocking explosion of red and purple mist. 

 

Kim collapsed in confusion, coughing.

 

“Run, dude. Stairs are over there.”

 

“Wh– Whah?” The jock sputtered, looking up for a moment before his face utterly dropped with a pale sickness. He stumbled up immediately and began stepping back. “Oh shit. Oh fuck. OkAY. Fuck fuck fuck fuck...”

 

His voice petered away eventually, and soon she couldn’t even hear his steps against metal over the sounds of whistling wind. Her eyes closed listening to it all, just the sound of building wind, of rumbling rain and thunder, draining out all the noise of fighting and hurt. 

 

And then, Juleka finally sighed. It was so nice to lose this breath she’d been holding for so– so long. The feeling of the first sheets of cold water sprinkling against her face against the hot summer air, the smell of wet cement, and now– the sight of her greatest enemy at her mercy.

 

“Sorry to rain in on your parade, Hawkmoth.” 

 

“I’m surprised it’s you here, Panthera Noire.” He simply grinned. Her ear twitched, looking over at him. His suit truly did ruin the color red for her. Don’t let him mess with you. She kicked herself quickly.

 

“What a nice suit, shame I’m going to spoil it with your blood.”

 

“You’ve always talked too much, child.” Hawkmoth simply retorted back with an insulting sniff. He sighed, spinning his cane around and passing it between his hands, leaning on it. “I’ve seen you. I’ve watched you. You always have tried to prove this... persona. Witty, smart, strong...” Her eyebrows knitted together as he smiled, “But I’ve seen you. I’ve seen you weak. I’ve seen you crumble. And now here you are... daring to stand alone against me.”

 

“I don’t see the hype.. You’re just a man, and there is an ugly infection in your heart.” Juleka murmured, eyes thinning with disbelief. Maybe it would make him bad but just- She shook her head, wondering aloud as she took a slow step forward, “How can your awful soul exist in such a rotting corpse?

 

But Hawkmoth only chuckled low and amused. He looked drowned in blood in the way his suit and face sported such a scarlet ichor. Juleka paused, waiting for him to stop. It annoyed her terribly to even listen to his blabbering, but it had to be done. For so long as she gave him her attention, he gave her his, and she would not let Ladybug be bothered. 

 

Still, that did not stop her from scowling all the while, a creased crevasse forming between the bridge of her eyes and wrinkled nose. Finally, he let out a gasp of vivid amusement running with madness and hung his head high and spoke with a theatrical bellowing rise. 

 

“I am no man. Don’t you see, Child?” His voice rippled righteous. Hawkmoth took his cane and lifted it to tap against his heart. One- two. He grinned widely, and shot her a look of observing mania and near-boredom of being. “You do not have the imagination nor vision of what I am nor who I seem to be. I am not just a man that has nothing to lose. I am a man that has everything that he can win at the palm of his hand. And everything one can want is so close. It’s so close.!”

 

“So you are dissatisfied.” Juleka set her voice thinly. Hawkmoth folded the cane underneath his arm to gingerly frame her with his fingers, boxing her in his vision, into a simple picture. His single silver eye that was not squeezed shut, thinned like a camera lens- memorizing every atom in her body that was burning on end with such a violating amusement.

 

“In the grand scheme of things, it’s not about dissatisfaction. But of course it would be such a simpleton child like you that would assume something so drably nondescript and vague.” Hawkmoth muttered with a slow smile. Juleka glared as he expressed himself with a voice full of nonsensical dread. But then Hawkmoth smiled, and it was devious, and he grinned as he stated with a spit; “You fear me; I am kingly. I am godly!”

 

Panthera sneered at that, and began moving. And he moved too in response, all with that smug look. Her tail lashed and he sneered. The two circled each other beneath their metal cage. She could see herself, within the reflections of his glass, ruby visor. Emerald met her scarlet mirror. It rocked the waters, it swirled tidal pools, baptized in the sea of agony.

 

“I think you’re running your mouth a bit there,” Panthera slowly muttered, scraping her staff against the ground loudly, hoping the sound would mask the beat of her racing heart from her ears. “Kingly? Godly? Sounds like someone’s overcompensating.”

 

“And you’re any better? Calling yourself some... super hero?” He taunted mutteringly, his words cutting deep like a hot knife against her side. “Like you’re anything more than you already are? Like you’re anything compared to your better partner?”

 

“Oh I’m no hero.” Juleka shook her head awkwardly, pausing, with a slow glare. She reached for her staff, gripping it tight at her side, “I’m just a survivor. I live through things. I get rid of problems that endanger my life.”

 

“And that would be me?” Hawkmoth asked, cocking an eyebrow up with a grin. She said nothing. The moment just paused between them, staring, patiently, waiting– for a breath– for a heartbeat. Juleka’s tail twitched, eyeing his tight hold on his cane, and it intensified into a clench. 

 

Ba-Bump. Ba-Bump. Ba-Bump…

 

“…Yes—“

 

They immediately launched at each other. Panthera striked first. Her eyes wild and thin as her staff grinded hard against his cane, the sound of metal against a more wood-like texture filling her ears before— Pain. She felt her stomach flare with a momentary agony as he slammed his shoe into her middle, making her breath catch in her chest before coming out as a haggard cough.

 

She stumbled back but he wasted no breath in trying to attack once more— jabbing the butt of his cane into her ribs, once, twice, and then another- what felt like fifteen times. She hit the ground, she couldn’t help it. And he began to beat into her, slamming into her spine, over, and over. It hurt.

 

Panthera let out another wheeze before finally- she managed a dodge roll to the side. Oh god it hurt. But she was back on her feet. Once she came to hear the beat of his attacks– One two, three was a pause, then the rest gave in a flurry up to beat six before he paused and started again- ever pursuing in his steps– She dodged with easy breath- before striking again–!

Panthera reeled her staff back by two hands before slamming it hard against his chest, he blocked it with his cane, but the force still made him yell with a pained reaction- causing him to stumble. She was on the offensive now, she couldn’t lose that. Immediately Panthera reeled her staff back again, like a bat, but instead of slamming it into him again, she changed her mind– So her body twisted- and she threw herself into a hard and sudden roundhouse kick, cracking him in the shoulder but she was thrown off by again- his swift and blocking cane.

 

Attack. Attack. Panthera slammed into him again and again with her staff, swinging it around like a bat a few times. She had enough of that thing– especially when he managed another dirty strike into her side- making her gasp in momentary pain. Stumbling, she reached outwards to try and snatch his weapon now that it was so close but—!

 

Panthera watched as her hands wrapped around the end of his cane, only to stare in horror as it merely unsheathed itself. She rolled backwards with the slippery force, letting go of the hollow end of the cane to see it had only been the shell of what was a sword. A saber. A blade to cut her open and serve her on a dish. She held her gulp into a grimace.

 

The two breathed for a moment, catching their breaths before growling. 

 

Phase two.

 

Two stabs–! He missed, and Panthera threw herself high in the air as she processed how close they both were. She dive bombed down onto his shoulders, steering him around with her staff around his neck. Her weight brewed heavy enough for him to collapse, but threw her off onto the ground as well. The sword. Panthera ran to grab it before him but a slash to her palm and the sting of blood wasn’t what she expected.

 

She hissed with pain, jumping back as she nursed the red bleeding through her glove. Her ring was glittering with a slight sheen of dripping blood. Fuck. Panthera wanted to take a moment to breathe but after hearing the scraping of steel against ground, Panthera turned back to face the man, gripping her staff tight, only to wince as holding it by both hands didn’t seem to be an option anymore. Damn it, this isn’t my dominant hand. Panthera thought, but that didn’t matter. Just fight.

 

She couldn’t use her staff efficiently as a defense anymore, which paid brutally as three painful cuts now littered gashes over her shoulder, across the arm, and into her–!

 

The pain of gripping her staff with her openly cut hand was better than the pain of the sword plunging deep into her side. Hawkmoth loomed over her as their gazes met, his glare personal and humorful, as her teeth grinded with terrified fury. Sparks began to fly between them as their steel weapons scraped against each other– but he won in strength- throwing her backwards and rolling hard and painful across the ground.

 

“GAH!” She cried. It hurt so much. 

 

“Give up yet?” Hawkmoth asked and he sounded so, unaffected. Just completely fucking fine while she– after so many battles and experience- was left crumbling on the ground. “I expected more from you.”

 

Juleka’s face twisted with pain, with humiliation, with every ugly feeling in her heart, but, no. She was not, ready. She was mad. She was hungry. She couldn’t give up now, not even if she tried. Because now, the thing living in her, needing her, advising her, was not giving her a choice, cause it knew what she truly was. A monster. A monster with so much to lose this man, that she wanted gone. That she NEEDED GONE. AND SHE HAD TO SEE IT DONE.

 

‘ ‘“ g et  up. “ ‘

 

“ ‘ you hav e t o ‘“

 

I’m trying, Plagg. She thought without even considering, but her head was so dizzy. What has happened to me? Juleka wondered briefly, lifting herself off the ground slowly as the painful throbbing in her body intensified with the strain of her muscles. Blood still dripped stubbornly down her face from earlier, the dried flecks feeling like sandpaper against her skin, but as she gazed down at her split hand, the sight of blood against her ring was almost... freeing.

 

“I’m not done,” She spat, glaring up at him with burning emerald eyes. They thinned, as she muttered once more against the ever raging rain that beat against her skin- cold and freezing- dripping red to the floor, repeating, “I’m not done.”

 

“You never learn do you? What a dumb creature.” Hawkmoth tutted his tongue, only stewing a burning in her more and more. This fucking sicko.. He’s the reason...

 

Everything inside of her. Everything that was hiding, everything she was drowning beneath her skin. The ocean inside her chest, it was frothing and it was churning. The waves were parting, like a fin it cut through the blue. Juleka's hands twitched. Her eyes stinging- the storm cackling in her chest. And there was that fin. That fin, that fin, rising and rising and rising. It breached the surface with hungry and waiting maws. Trying to reach everything, anything in its grasp- HUNGRY- CRAVING- CIRCLING–!

 

“I believe there’s something to learn from everyone you meet. And I’m glad we’ve met Hawkmoth." Juleka's lips curled into a bitter, most vengeful smile. It split across her face as her teeth, fangs, grinded, and her claws outstretched- she could feel the brooch already in her palm- and the face beneath her knuckles. "So now... I can teach you this lesson of pain! AND I WILL GET IT. IN. YOUR FUCKING. HEAD. IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO!”

 

She breathed in, shakily, and sighed. Right. Juleka couldn’t have that pleasure though. At least.. Not yet. She glanced up and could imagine that Ladybug was still tangling up in her webby trap. Who knows how long that was going to take. If I have it my way, it’ll be over too fast for her to do what she wants. I can’t upset her. She distantly thought before humming. Nothing wrong with a long show, she supposed. Oh wow. Something was really fucked up with her right now, she didn’t know how to feel about it so she just, didn’t. And Juleka just smiled, opening up her arms. 

 

“However, before we get to the main course, let’s play a game.” The cat stated calmly, calmly, calmly, holding up her finger quick before she could hear a sound, “And no. You don’t have a choice.”

 

“What–”

 

“You want my ring?” 

 

His face froze, and Panthera Noire held up her bloody hand and despite every sense in her telling her not to, there was also a sense of trust, too. She could feel the storm in her chest, brewing, so tangibly electric in her heart, she doubted letting go would let it disappear so quickly.

 

“Well? Do you?” Panthera asked. Hawkmoth’s eyes were wide like displates as she brought her ringed knuckle between her other hand’s fingers, and slowly began to pull. Her eyes thinned, daring him to move, “Do. You. Want. It?”

 

A beat.

The rumble of thunder. Softly. Still. Building.




“YES–!”

 

“THEN COME FUCKING GET IT!” She cackled, ripping it off her finger as a jolt of lightning flashed a blinding white in both their eyes. She flicked it, high, impossibly high, the glitter of it’s bloody sheen the only way to detect it.

 

One second passed. His eyes were on it, as it spun in the air. Like a maniacal, rabies filled creature, he launched himself after it, drool nearly building at the edge of his mouth.

 

Two seconds passed. He barely had a chance to grab it before an explosion of pain erupted in his chest and he slammed hard into the ground. Hawkmoth stared up in confusion before seeing her form.

 

Three seconds. Green electricity clung to her skin like a wildfire, pulling back more and more, but still eating at her, the burning around her face only accentuating the bloodshot red in her eyes as she lunged at him again in ever dying immortal form.

 

Four.. FIVE seconds. He immediately went to grab his cane but she was quick, shooting it away in another flash of lightning and she kicked him once more in the face while he was down, kneeling before her altar.

 

Six seconds. The green was burning away now, eating up her chest as she hardly recognized the clothes she was wearing earlier that day, wounds now bleeding into it. Her steel toed boots were back to just simple heels, her claws just the hands of a bleeding child, and her bell collar nearly halfway gone.

 

Seven seconds. The ring was falling back to earth and the cat’s eyes were keen on it. But also keen on Hawkmoth. She cracked her heel against his face, and the grin never left her lips as she heard a snapping sound. Was it bone? Was it just her shoe? She couldn’t tell, all she could see was red. 

 

Eight seconds. He was screaming at her, reaching away, but she could barely see through the green light, blinding her, filling every inch of her view with a godly glow. She shoved him back, and began to run-

 

Nine seconds. She was running. She was running. She was running. She was running. She was running. She was running. She was running. She was running. She was running. She was running. She was running. She was running.

 

Ten.

 

Panthera slid back into place, and as she reached up into the sky, she found the ring falling back in her hand, and now shoved back onto her finger. It was like inhaling new air once more, as an explosion of green enveloped her, bursting out of her skin like a firework, before dulling into a subtle nothing. The cat hero gasped, feeling the familiar leather suit stick back to her skin. And she smiled.

 

“NO!” Her ear twitched hearing him scream. In a flash of light, his eyes widened and suddenly the monster was leering over him.

 

“You had your chance.” She snarled into his eyes, spit flecking into his cheeks, and her claws digging into where his hair should’ve been, and she let him feel her breath against his skin, “It was right in your hands. And you wasted it. You wasted it. Cause you were pathetic. And I’m better. I’m BETTER THAN YOU.”

 

“YOU FUCKING–”

 

“YOU WANTED ME TO FEAR YOU!” Juleka shrieked, digging harder into his skull. And then the world quieted, and she leaned a little closer, until he could see the flecks of red in her chill, toxic gaze and the blood dripping from her face was now his. And she whispered darkly into his soul, “You’re not living up to my expectations. I’ve seen worse.”

 

He screamed, throwing her off of him– The cat felt like she was flying. And he had that blade in his hand and was lunging for her heart– But as she watched it slowly, slowly, come forth- like time was beginning to stop- something in her was completely and utterly happy. Because finally, that smug look on his face was gone. And her eyes felt like rolling back, and she felt herself.. give in to something so terribly selfish and joyful.

 

She mouthed the words to a spell she’d never spoken before, it was like a ghost had possessed her. Her hand was taken in a black electric fire, like cataclysm always had, and then it ate her soul up.

 

And with one swipe of the hand, his sword was shattered into what felt like a million dust particles, ashy remains strewn in their air like confetti, and pieces of broken steel clattering across the ground.

 

“NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

 

It was like a bomb went off within her hands. An explosion of black and red. Butterflies, everywhere , cutting into her skin like desperate attempts to wiggle their way into her muscles and heart and corrupt her like they did to everyone else. But the cat was too calm. Even as their wings sliced her skin and her face and ticked her ears and kissed her with blood. She was calm. She was happy.

 

And it was still.





And he was weak.

 

“What have you DONE!?” Hawkmoth screamed as the cat laid there within the explosion of smoke, she could eye his silhouette right outside her reach, and as he cursed and shrieked, she hardly processed it. 

 

Her body just.. moved, on its own, slowly sitting up as the smell of sulfur and toxins filled her lungs with such an intoxicatingly copper taste. Her claws, dug into the metal below like melted butter. It was like a kind dream. And the nightmare waiting for death just kept screaming, like an annoying siren that had to be silenced.

 

“DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA!? WHAT A MAN LIKE ME IS CAPABLE OFF!?”

 

“Yeah, too much to be left alive.”

 

“..What?”

 

And she launched himself at him. 

 

“GAAUGUUHHHHH WHAT THE FUCK!?”

 

The smoke parted her way, red filling her eyes as she took the bastard’s image in, painted back into black and glory, purple royal colors painted on him like drapes to claw down. Godly. Godly. Godly. There was no God. But there was death. There was the smell of pomegranates. There was the feeling of bone snapping between her teeth and raven feathers strew over her bloody skin. 

 

"THE GODS WISH TO SEE YOU NOW TANTALUS." Her voice screamed and he could hear the yowls of screeching felines shrieking as Juleka’s face reeled against the black and the smoke billowing off her skin. Her eyes a reverent glow as her teeth gnashed and the anger writhing tentacles against the starboard of her spirit- And the scorched earth smelt of summer lightning and burning flesh as she gasped out a cry, "SO DON'T KEEP THEM WAITING DOWN THERE SINCE YOU WANT TO BE THEM SO BAD!"

 

He just screamed, jutting backwards and turning onto his front. His hands were shaking, beads of sweat rolling down his face, eyes bulging out of his skull with the innate horrible drive to run and hide. His arms, his legs, refusing to cooperate, more so flailing like jelly in fear, utter fear, utter terror. Panthera took another step towards him and he bashed her face to the side. 

 

The cat fell hard against her back, eyes thinning and dilating with dazed confusion as a dark and awful fog began to roll in line waves. She shook her head dizzily. She couldn’t see him anymore.. but she could hear him as he scrambled back, he turned. She could imagine that He went to run. He scrambled to jump and run. Run back where it was safe but his face paled to see a world of netting and wire. And Juleka licked her bloody lips. No no noooo. Hmhm, No no no. Death was not happy with that. She wouldn’t let him get that far. She had a fucking GOAL IN MIND. SHE.. WAS.. NOT.. FINISHED.

 

She lunged her hands forward and dug her nails into his calves. Digging hard and bloodily into the fabric, and scraping him backwards against the pavement- crashing Hawkmoth back against the ground. And she began dragging him backwards with a snarl. Hot and boiling waves just thrashing beneath her skin. Yes.. yes.. yes.! Something ugly in her breathed like an illness, and for once she invited it- cursing that it was just for now. But hell. Why deny it?

 

“NO NO NO! GET OFF! GET OFF ME!” He shrieked, eyes stretching wide when a sound of crackling electricity and fire eluded him. But when the man turned to his back, his face paled with terror at the sight he was cursed with. Hawkmoth’s jaw shakily fell, and she didn’t get it, but she loved it, that look of terrible terrible fear. This felt good. She could hurt. It felt good to hurt. Her smile screwed sideways. He screamed, “WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU?!”

 

The cat let go of him with a wet ripping sound and cast a look at its claws. No blood on its hands. Strange- It swore it could feel the delightful sensation of its knuckles kissing his flesh but it might’ve just imagined it in the wild moment. The cat supposed there was always the next few seconds- it thought, not even processing the way its skin fled its attachments from its body’s bone in the form of black, bubbling matter. It just felt movement in it, turning to Hawkmoth with a sneer.

 

“I ASKED YOU A FUCKING QUESTION PANTHERA NOIRE!” Oh. That was her. That was her. And she just smiled at him. 

 

"THE THING YOU IMITATE WITH PATHETIC NOTION!” Juleka would’ve been scared if she could hear herself over the buzzing static shrieking blood and madness in her ears. But all she could feel was a certain type of ugly glee- Her eyes bloodshot as she set her face against him, lunging her arm to his throat and squeezing against his esophagus.

 

“I was... supposed... to win..!” Hawkmoth gasped out with a strained wheeze. He was like a shot deer. Frail and writhing. It was strange.. She found no sympathy. Just felt.. Disappointment. She really thought he’d surprise her today. In some ways he did, for a moment, he really fooled her into thinking he was anything alive. And even more so, he fooled her into thinking he was smart.

 

“There are no winners in life, boy. Only ranges of satisfaction when we die.” Panthera’s lip curled. She tapped her staff against the ground, voice vibrating with radiation spitting out her lungs like bits of ember and fire. The monster tilted her head to the side, curiously, asking so genuinely, “Well? Were you satisfied?”

 

“GET AWAY FROM ME! GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME!” Hawkmoth screamed in her face defiantly, but his hands were shaking around her wrists, “I CAN’T DIE! I CAN’T! I HAVE TOO MUCH TO LOSE! I HAVE TOO MUCH TO–!” 

 

“YOU WERE DEAD THE MOMENT YOU SHOWED YOUR FACE!" His face twisted wide with.. Fear. Good. Good, intoxicating fear. Finally, Finally. She wasn’t the one scared anymore. And no one else would have to be. She raised her ringed hand, bubbling– wasn’t it bleeding before– and she could feel it burn. And it felt good. “NOW–!”




“Panthera!?”

 

Panic was what she felt when her head swirled around and saw red. Red? Red? Red? Red was bad. Red was blood. Red was the akumas. Red was the swarm. Why was there red? She thought she got rid of the red. There couldn’t have been more red. 

 

But then, Juleka’s eyes.. they softened as her gaze focused. She saw.. spots. She saw blue. She saw brilliantly silvery eyes. She saw her friend. She saw Ladybug. 

 

“What’s happening to you..!?” Ladybug cried out with worry. Happening? She was fine. She was fine.

 

“I..” Juleka dryly began, but then the sea began to rise. No no. She had to get rid of the danger. She had to get rid of–! And then her eyes came to focus on Hawkmoth– and in the flash of his cracked, bloody, face visor, she saw her own reflection. She nearly shrieked with terror, seeing the black burning astral nothingness burning off of the half of her face. Her eyes– far too green, far too electrifying to be human, she was human, she was–!

 

A monster– Her. She lifted her hand up to check, but she saw her hand, and almost passed out to see the same effect, riding up her forearm and her shoulder– consuming nearly half of her entire body. What was happening..!? Juleka looked, she looked dangerous. She was.. She was..

 

Hawkmoth wheezed, and she barely processed where he was stumbling off to as she hugged herself tight. What was she? What was this? Was she going to die? Plagg. Plagg? Was she going to die!? What had she done!? She was scared.

 

“Panthera! Panthera–! Look at me, partner!”

 

“I–!” Juleka jumped back with fear but there was already a hand on her cheek before she couldn’t stop her- and like a shadow the burning reeled back. Juleka’s breath caught itself as she felt warmth in Ladybug’s palm. Marinette’s palm. Her hair, bristling, began to settle as she stared up into Ladybug’s eyes– wide, terrified, yet trusting. Juleka held back her sob, just leaning into her palm more, as the rain had finally stopped pouring, “Ladybug...”

 

“I need you here okay?”

 

“Did I...”

 

“Y-you did great! W-Whatever you did–!” Ladybug began, though her voice began to drip with a concern and fear that made Juleka’s heart drench with shame. Ladybug looked so worn down, so hurt, covered in scratches and cuts from her fight with the others. Were they okay? The two shared a silence as they watched the viscous void recede a bit more, a bit more, until it collected to her bloody palm. The two watched it closely but it seemed to just bubble there, before dissolving into nothing but smoke.. 

 

B-Beep!

 

“The timer,” They both echoed, it seemed. What was this power.? She wondered but her eyes snapped up and she pointed aggressively towards Hawkmoth who was busy trying to untangle the web Ladybug had wrapped around the tower, squawking, “HEY! HEY HE’S TRYING TO GET AWAY!”

 

“FUCK!” He screamed, but he was tripping because of his ankle being tied now, they watched him fumble, “SHIT!”

 

“GET HIM! GET HIM!” Ladybug started shaking her shoulder, pointing wildly, “SHIT SHIT SHIT! PANTHERA!”

 

“Partner, my body is in PAIN.” She cried. It was true. It wasn’t like her body was paralyzed, that was good, that would be terrifying, but GOD it was THROBBING. Like every inch of her skin had been bruised. She hissed with pain, what do we do!?

 

“GRRHH.. YOU PUNY HEROES!” Hawkmoth wheezed, still covered in his own blood and sweat. His eyes were wide and manic as he held himself tight, he took a step back from the webbing, “You're never going to win. Not today or any other day. Even when becoming a.. BEAST!” Juleka wilted as he snarled, “YOU’VE GOT NOTHING ON ME! I AM–!”

 

THUNk!

 

Juleka watched with a winked bloody eye, still stretching wide with shock beside Ladybug, as they witnessed the image of Hawkmoth getting punted right in the face with a green discus. It sounded like a seven year old getting hit by a dodgeball in PE.

 

“GUAGH.!” Hawkmoth shouted, clutching his now crooked and bloody nose with his eyes burning wide with hatred. He looked around, confusedly, just screamed, “WHAT THE FUCK!?”

 

“ENOUGH MONOLOGUES, DUDE!”

 

“YOUR TIME’S UP!” 

 

“You guys..!” Juleka’s voice hiccuped as Ladybug helped her up to her feet. Woah. Woahhh. Gravity was, weird. Hoh- Boy. Oh man. Her legs were jelly. Okay. Jumping up onto their dance floor, in a flash of prismatic color... There the three other heroes stood with smiles on their faces and colors returned to normal.

 

“You two need a hand?” Rena Rouge smiled. Oh good. She was smiling. Seeing her like, perpetually pissed off was a little disturbing. A lot disturbing, actually. 

 

“I need a hand, yes, thank you, please.” She rasped tiredly, raising her leeding hand awkwardly. Queen Bee’s eyes shifted towards her before her face stretched with shock.

 

“DANG WHAT HAPPENED ARE YOU ALRIGHT!?” She screamed worriedly.

 

“Uhhh, yeah,! Yeah no, yeah, yes? No? Maybe? Look at the other guy, he is, worse.” She awkwardly said, pointing over at Hawkmoth who was still glowering at them all with a wild and upset look. Juleka might’ve been coping by distracting herself. Her smile dimmed, staring at how.. Ruined he looked. Ripped apart and beaten– did she do that? 

 

“Your friend here is a villain on every accord..” Hawkmoth began, growling incessantly, “YOU ALL ARE-!”

 

“Hey dude! Dude! We’re gonna shut you up okay? We’re gonna shut you the fuck up if you say more! Fuck you okay, dude? Fuck you!” Carapace said, raising two middle fingers up with a manic look in his eyes, before catching his shield which had been boomeranging around for the past minute. He held up with a glare, “You suck bro. Take an L dude, take an L.”

 

“HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT TO ME– THIS IS MY MOMENT-”  

 

“IT’S A RANDOM FUCKING FRIDAY DUDE IT IS JUST A FRIDAY!” Carapace shouted, so frustrated, pinching his fingers together at the man. “YOU’VE WASTED SO MUCH TIME! GET A JOB!”

 

“GET HIS ASS! GET HIS ASS!” Rena chanted, holding up her flute and seeming to record it somehow, Queen Bee at her side doing the same with her spinning top, shouting her own version with “FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT” 

 

“Calm down there, you three.” Ladybug said, holding up a hand at them, eyebrow twitching. Her face grew serious, staring at the haggard old man. He collected the broken pieces of his cane weakly. There was almost a pitiful look to him, but Juleka couldn’t feel completely bad, just, tired, and waiting for the shoe to drop.

 

“It’s over,” Panthera hissed at him, stabilizing herself with her staff now. Ladybug’s yoyo was tugged at her side, connecting to the entire complex of wire that surrounded them like an impossibly knit structure.

 

“You’re caught in our net, Hawkmoth!” Ladybug shouted. She held up her hand and with a quick, “LUCKY CHARM” a small case fell into her palm. A little orante box, that she know held out with a determined glare, “This is a sign that your miraculous will finally be ours!”

 

“There’s nothing you can do!” Panthera shouted.

 

“BUT GIVE. IT. UP!”

 

A silent stillness filled the air. Sweat and blood rolled down Juleka’s face. She slowly looked over to Queen Bee who was staring at her and her wounds with concern. Her tail flicked and Queen Bee’s face shifted, nodding a little. 

 

“Honeycomb,” Queen Bee whispered, and her hands began to glow in the dripping golden flow of honey. Rena and Carapace took her queue and held their weapons up readily. 

 

“I... I can’t give up.” His voice surprised her, how broken it was, but she only began to fear as his voice hardened more, and more, “I.. can’t.. give.. up. I CAN’T... GIVE... UP.”

 

“We’ll make you by force then,” Rena growled, lip curling up to bare her teeth. 

 

“Rena!”

 

“I CAN’T.. GIVE UP. I REFUSE TO.” Hawkmoth cried, clutching his arms tight as he began to rock back and forth sickly, his eyes glowering wild and red, as he screamed in tantrum filled rage, “I WON’T!”

 

And then, his face lit up. With a new, glowing visor, that floated, glitched, but it was not the shape of a butterfly, it was not the shape of an akuma. His face, dropped, and his eyes widened with a momentary strange look of hope, then horror.

 

“No. No. No no no. Please.” He pleaded into nothingness. “Don’t do that.”

 

“What’s happening!?” Queen Bee cried with worry. Ladybug’s face twitched, frozen in observation. Panthera grew antsy. Something had to be done, in response to– whatever that was occurring, she needed Ladybug to say something to tell them what to do but– Why wasn’t Ladybug moving!? Was she scared too?!

 

And then, Hawkmoth crumbled to his knees. 

 

And then, something burst out of his hands.

 

Black insect-like scales and fuzz ripped through the air, horrifyingly big eyes and mandibles clicking and snapping through the air, violet and ebony wings stretched out of a wet, dripping membrane of skin and flesh, and when they loomed out at their full length, Juleka found herself and the others baked in a dark shadow that casted out terribly.

 

"What on earth.." Juleka gasped, eyes wide with horror, her ears pinned back as she threw her arm out protectively over the others. It started at them, kaleidoscope eyes twitching and flicking between each hero, before it began to beat its wings. It was like a freight truck had slammed into them. Each gust of wind was a slam into her gut.

 

“SHIT!” She felt her grip on the ground begin to slip- fuck fuck FUCK. Her muscles hurt, trying to restrain herself. “GUYS!”

 

Queen Bee cried out in a panic, holding onto a shrieking Rena as she kept her honey-crystallized hands firm on the ground. Juleka turned her head back to see Carapace lagging behind, scraping his feet against the ground as he struggled to stay put. She reached a hand out for him and he grasped it, only for them both to shout with shock at another gust.

 

“BEE!” She shouted, hair flicking in her face as she did her best to haul Carapace closer. The golden hero looked down with concern, along with the fox. Their eyes widened at the sight, “GET! CARAPACE! IN FRONT OF US!”

 

“I CAN’T DO MUCH!” Queen Bee cried.

 

“I GOT IT!” Rena reached out a hand, taking Carapace and doing her best to haul him up. Panthera yelped, feeling another gust of wind push her back- she fell- clawing her nails deep into the metal ground. She wasn’t sure how much more she could take. She was so–

 

“SHELL-TER!”  

 

–Tired. And then it finally stopped, and Juleka flopped hard against the cold metal, letting out an exhausted breath. Hesitantly, she stood up, the world in a perfectly gentle green. What a wonderful power, she thought. To protect, instead of hurt. Panthera limped over to the group, seeing Ladybug in front with her hand pressing against the cool scaly sheen.

 

Beyond the shelter, was a sea of purple, lilac and blue smoke and feathers. The barrier came down, and waving through it all, they could see the most terrible things, or the lack of a terrible one; Hawkmoth was gone.

 

“Fuck, fuck! He’s gone! God damn it!” 

 

“What the hell was that thing!?”

 

“Calm down, I’m frustrated too. Just, search the perimeter alright?” Ladybug said, looking over at them seriously. They all nodded and jumped their separate ways, but Juleka- stayed. She watched Ladybug take a deep breath and let out a controlled, tired, sigh. Juleka looked her over and their eyes met. Ladybug’s face grew grim, as she motioned the cat hero closer, whispering, “That was a sentimonster. A creature made by the peacock miraculous."

 

“The other missing miraculous?” She asked slowly and Ladybug just nodded hesitantly. Juleka bit her lip, holding back the desire to curse. Fuck. So he wasn’t alone. He wasn’t alone. Some other fucked up person was helping him– god! She thought it would finally be over today.

 

“HEY LADYBUG WE FOUND A BROKEN STICK!”

 

“I FOUND IT FIRST ACTUALLY!”

 

“I FOUND A FEATHER!”

 

The two simply sighed, the so called peace being interrupted only more by the beeping of their timers. Her face fell, gazing at her bleeding hand and stained ring with a feeling of doubt and fear in her chest. Juleka looked to Ladybug, she looked so disappointed too. No matter how successful the others felt, this felt like a loss in some way. Ladybug gazed over the glitter of her lucky charm and whispered into it.

 

”Miraculous Ladybug.”

 

 

“There you are, Juleka Couffaine”

 

“Heya,” Juleka rasped, opening the door with a limp. Her face fell looking at him and the box in front of him. She steeled her heart, continuing her way through and sitting down before him. She glanced down, seeing a small bracelet return to his thin wrist, she looked up, “I assume Marinette brought back the fox and the turtle?”

 

“Yes, only a short bit ago, she was in a rush to leave– Talking about being late to a picnic?” He said, an inquiring tilt in his tone. Juleka hummed, placing the bee comb down and sliding it across the table with two fingers, in its place, her eyes lifted to see a small steaming cup of tea had been offered. She looked up at him and he nodded, so she took it with a grateful smile.

 

“I’ll be heading there soon and enjoy the rest of hero’s day with my class and friends,”

 

“That sounds wonderful,” He smiled, before his face grew into a more hardy stare of concern, “And your body? Your arm? Your hand? ”

 

Juleka stilled, the cup of tea paused at her lip. Their eyes met, but he made no move to tell her what to do. So she took a long sip, letting the warmth slip down her throat like a cup of ambrosia as the seconds ticked by without meaning. She sighed, and offered her ringed hand out, gloved, and fingers twitching slightly. 

 

Pulling the glove gently off she watched him inspect the makeshift bandage she had acquired, the sting of pain as he unwrapped it made her wince with the new shock of staying hurt after a cure.. The rest of her wounds and bruises had been kissed away but this..

 

“Ah, I see.” He murmured. Her palm, scarred with a near x like shape, was a harsh, fresh, red, and the middle finger that she wore her ring upon was tender-skinned and painful to curl. Her veins, though she suspected–hoped the appearance would fade, were darker as they got closer to her hand and staring at it too long made her only feel layers of shame. 

 

“What happened to me? Like I– I don’t know if you were just– watching from afar like you always do or you just sat here without doing anything but I just...” Juleka whispered with a hiss between her teeth, wincing as he began to wrap it back up, though with an extra layer of what felt like some soothing ointment from a small tin.

 

“I’m surprised you haven’t asked your kwami.” Fu stated, without a grain of sardonic offense from his tone, just, an observant tune. Juleka’s eyebrows knit together but, they deepened with concern.

 

“He just.. apologized and went to sleep,” She said, metaphorical ears pinning back as she felt for the small void cat curled up in her pocket like a hot metal. Her face softened, shaking her head. “I thought I could go to you for guidance.”

 

“Ah, it truly was the end of the world today.” Fu hummed, drawing a small laugh out of the cat hero. His gaze grew gentle towards her, placing his cup down with a light tap. “I know you must be aware of how dangerous the Cat Miraculous is.”

 

“Destruction seems like a pretty good synonym of Danger.” Juleka noted dryly, staring down at her ring with a stare she tried not to let become too bitter. He just nodded in response, the room beginning to pour with a new light coming from the window sill. Pinks and reds mixing with the dark night’s purples and blues, like dripping paint, gliding across the room.

 

“You must also be aware of the fact that the Ladybug Miraculous miraculously contains the strange occurrence of two powers?”

 

Lucky Charm... Miraculous Cure… She thought. Maybe it did always seem a bit unfair but she never thought there’d be any good coming out of her if she had more than one destructive ability, so she hardly ever thought about it with much nor any spite. Wait a second...

 

“Is that...”

 

“If the miraculous cure is a widespread cure that fixes and creates a fix over an endless distance, then its natural opposite must know itself as the ability to become one sole entity of mass destruction. As in; what you had done today.”

 

“Oh god.” Juleka looked down at herself. It was all so blurry but, seeing her reflection, her eyes, her skin– Such a monstrous ability and it just.. Almost ate at her, nearly completely swallowing her whole like that. She gulped, “Did I almost die?”

 

“Not every person who used such an ability died, it’s not that unstable of an ability. If it was, then the miraculous cure in turn would be just as abusive to its user.” Fu somewhat reassured her, before frowning with concern, “But it was very dangerous considering you hadn’t casted it on purpose nor did you do so with a level head or rested body.”

 

“Right, right.” Juleka rubbed her arm weakly, her gaze obstructed low towards the rippling mug of tea between her hands.

 

“You must be careful, young Juleka.” Fu whispered with such a genuine tone it nearly broke her there. Oh how she wanted to be careful. “Your emotions are such a tender thing, they are so powerful, and that is one of your greatest strengths. It allows you to connect to so many people and break down the shells that burden their hearts.”

 

“But–” He said, holding a controlled, shaking finger, his eyes glazed over with a far away terror that burned like fire and smoke in his silvery gaze, “If you walk without control; the earth will crack beneath your feet. If you react without reason or the compassion that keeps you together; then your miraculous will act in suit, and help you destroy everything you hold dear.”

 

“I understand,” She whispered, taking another slow sip of her tea. Her face fell, clutching her hand to her heart. 

 

“Best not use that power again, at least for a bit.” Fu suggested quietly, before beginning to perk up a bit with concern, “I’m worried for your health. I didn’t expect a wound not to heal from the cure. Are you in any further pain that I can help treat? Are you hungry? Is there anything else–”

 

“No, no no, don’t worry about me.” Juleka quickly said, holding up her hands plainly, she smiled softly, starting to stand up– “Thanks for your time. I.. don’t need you to overcompensate with stuff. I.. got a picnic I need to get to anyways.”

 

“Ah, that’s right.” Fu muttered, returning his hands tight to himself. He gazed up at her with a gentle look, “Well, I wish you safe travels, Juleka Couffaine.”

 

She stood by the door, reaching out with her scarred hand and managed a tiny smile.

 

“Yeah, and happy hero’s day to you.”

 

 

The picnic was nice. Apparently Rose might’ve fought Adam in a random parking lot that they had ended up in because she thought he might’ve hurt her during the attack so.. Juleka felt very loved and concerned there. She could feel the worried look in Rose’s eyes when she said she was just rustled a bit by the attack but she couldn’t do much towards that but promise to relax later together. Juleka was looking forward to that moment, she knew Rose was too.

 

It was impressive what Marinette was able to put together in whatever time she had before the akumas attacked, and tasting the treat she’d laid out for everyone– was a sweet delight.

 

“Hey guys!”


“H- Hey, everyone.”

 

Adrien and Lila had arrived last, Adrien somehow slithering out of his father’s grasp saying he had suddenly gotten a bit ill and he’d approved for the picnic time before the attack and Lila looking, a bit shameful.

 

“I think I caused the whole, mass akuma thing, by being the first one... I was just... really upset over today and how special it was supposed to be and how I didn’t do anything– I couldn’t help it and just ended up... yeah.” Lila muttered, tugging tightly at her hair.

 

“Meh, it happens.” Alix just shoved a cupcake into one of her hands. “What are you gonna do. It’s just Hero’s Day.”

 

“And Hero’s Day is just another Normal Friday, dude.” Nino said, taking a strangely bitter bite out of his cupcake, “Even if this Friday was a bit more hectic than usual.”

 

“Good news is, Ladyblog has a lot of footage and clout on it right now I guess?” Alya grinned a bit, holding up her phone with a gleam of pride, “Lots of people are just really encouraging right now to everyone during the whole experience, nice big ol’ faith in humanity thing going on, y’know.”

 

“You said it.” Alix said, tugging at her hat a little bit with a tsk, “And also the sour in humanity considering ol’ bitch ass CockHawk.”

 

“Alix!” Marinette squawked in the midst of handing Adrien a macaron. She had looked like she was about to stomp over and confiscate Alix’s snack but Chloe merely held her hand up in front of her with a slightly invested look.

 

“No no. Let her talk, Marinette. He deserves it.” 

 

“He looks like a condom! He looks like a condom with legs!” Alix defended herself passionately, throwing up her hands as icing laid smeared on her lips. She paused for a moment, as Chloe halfheartedly wiped a bit off before continuing, “Kim can vouch for me! He got de-akumatized right in front of him!”

 

“He did not.” Marinette squinted, “He’s a danger he needs to be taken seriously!--”

 

“I SAW HIM! I WAS THERE! I WAS REAL CLOSE TO HIM! HE TOTALLY LOOKED LIKE A CONDOM!”

 

“KIM!”

 

“Tell her KIM!” 

 

The class laughed. All floating on with their lives. Even after things got so heavy, they just kept floating on okay. Juleka was jealous. Or at least some part wanted her to be— Because the idea that she’d grown so numb to the current now, it felt so distantly sad she wasn’t sure how to feel. 

 

She felt a mass in her pocket begin to wiggle, her eyes widened— reaching a finger in, she felt a tiny paw grab back.

 

“Jules?”

 

“Gonna take a moment over at the benches,” Juleka said smoothly, taking out her phone and spinning it in her hand. She glanced back at Rose with a tender smile, “Luka’s callin’.”

 

“Gotcha,” Rose grinned a little bit but it was subtler than any glow, just, soft and kind, with her eyes lingering into her with a soft look, “Be back soon, okay?”

 

“I will.” Juleka promised. “Don’t worry, I won’t disappear.”

 

“...Sometimes I–”

“Yes?” Juleka pepped up. Rose paused and seemingly waved her thoughts away, smiling. 

 

“It’s nothing, don’t keep your big bro waiting!”

 

“I don’t say big bro I’m not in an anime, Rose. Why? Why would you say that?”

 

“Hehe! Cause it makes you smile! It makes you giggle. Come onn come onn~”

 

“Bahh.”

 

“You’re not a sheep, baby!”

 

Juleka sighed as she slumped down slowly on the park bench, watching the picnic from afar. Her mind, quiet, still as she casted herself in the blooming dark shade beneath the trees and brush, and beyond her was her class, her friends, all glowing in the summer sunsetted sun.

 

“Hey,” 

 

“Hey,” Juleka smiled, looking up to see Plagg hovering at her shoulder, she held up her ringed hand, inviting him to come closer– and he did, brushing a soft cheek into her knuckles, she felt the hum of magic beneath his skin- was it skin- or was it just meant to feel like skin. Is that what she was like now? She asked instead, “How was your cat nap?”

 

“Was worried about you,” She felt him purr. “You have no idea how many cats I’ve lost pulling that sorta stunt!”

 

So they were hopping right to it. Okay.

 

“I didn’t mean to use– whatever that was!” Juleka retorted, rubbing his forehead a bit with her thumb. Her eyebrows knit together beneath her hair, “I got caught up in the moment. I just.. Kept hearing these voices. Telling me to keep fighting until either me or Hawkmoth was dead...”

 

“You’re hearing voices?” Plagg asked, one emerald eye peaking open with concern. “Well that's concerning.”

 

“What!? You’re telling me I’m going insane and it’s not some weird magic thing!?” Juleka squeaked with concern, but he simply flew in front of her with an unimpressed look on his face.

 

“If you really were insane, you wouldn’t be standing out much to others. Trust me on this, every single person you know is insane, Jules.” He said, before flying around her again, till he was out of sight. Juleka thought on that for a moment before huffing, resting her chin on her propped up hand as she felt him light pull her hair around, tying it.

 

“Rose isn’t insane.”

 

“Yes she is, you just love her for it.”

 

“I do...” Juleka admitted defeatedly. Her eyebrows raised, “So I’m not insane?”

 

“You’re the right amount of insane for a horrifically traumatized teen I’d say, and trust me, I’ve met plenty, kitten.” Plagg said, huffing into her now braided back hair. There was a pause, “I just didn’t think you’d start hearing them now.. I haven’t even finished your kwagatama.”

“My what?”

 

“Are you alright though? Nothing hurt? You’re good?” Juleka blinked, seeing Plagg pop over her head and staring into her eyes with a concerned look. He was so, weird looking not that she focused on him. So inhuman, which sounded dumb for a cat. He must’ve been so far from it all. And yet he was so empathetic. How, how could a tiny god fill so much everything in his body? 

 

She hesitantly held up her hand again and let him check it, letting him see it without the glove and explaining what it showed. The way his ears drooped and his eyes flicked from side to side, concerning himself and finding his gaze far away in a memory. They stayed there for long enough that a few animals had gathered as they usually did beneath their shade, a few cats, a few corvids..

 

“Plagg.?” Juleka called for his reaction, finding the silence he bore a bit too out of character of him to be without concern.

 

“Yeah, kitten?”

 

“When I was losing myself, I started to... think weird.”

 

“Yeah well, going mad with power kinda does that.”

 

“No no I mean, well, I felt like... Death.” She was unsure how to pick her words, so she just continued to quietly blabber. “I felt like.. How it feels to keep coming close to dying. Except.. It was me this time. Like– instead of seeing it out there– I saw it in my reflection. Is that weird?”

 

“You’re a weird kid,” Plagg simply said, looking up at her. “But I think I can give ya something to make sense of it a bit.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“The cycle of Life and Death is synonymous to Creation and Destruction. Birth and Decomposition. It’s all sorta the same.” Plagg blinked slowly at her, and his voice was slow, and full of many. “I’m all those things, in a way. The moment the universe felt such a force, I was born. I’m the end of everything that comes to exist. Tikki is the start.”

 

“So in a way you’re even Death?” 

 

“So in a way I’m even Death.” Plagg echoed with confirmation, floating a bit higher. 

 

“So you can’t die.”

 

“That’s not really something I ever get concerned about, too lazy to think about things that’ll never really apply to me. Nah.” Plagg noted curtly, floating on his back lazily with a shake of his head. 

 

“But I will.” Juleka’s eyes casted low to her side, cupping it with her split hand. It hurt. To think about. “Like the other cats of yours had.”

 

“All things will die, Jules.” Plagg said, tail flicking. There was a pause before he softly added, “But I will make sure you die a kind and far away death, when you’re old, ugly, and wrinkly.”

 

“Wow, thanks.” Juleka snorted with amusement, but..  her face shifted a bit softly. It was, sobering to think about. What a beautiful cycle, a beautiful relationship at the end of the day. To know she was part of it, made her remember she was still alive. Still, part of this moment, breathing. But still, she couldn’t help herself but question–

 

“What does that make me?” The cat hero asked curiously with a weak whisper, digging her nails into her knees as she gazed far far far, from the picnic of people she once could define herself as similar to. “I’m not a God like you... but I hardly feel human after... everything and... Good things never come to mortals that claim to be Gods.”

 

After dying so many times. After feeling like dying so many times. Did it even count? Could she even say she had more than one life? Or was she just surviving the longest night. Was that even a real thing? Did she cheat the code? Did she want to? Did she have a choice? 

 

“I wouldn’t say.. Hmm.. Well, you use a lot of God stuff though.” Plagg pointed out. “You’ve used a lot of God stuff for a long time. Mortals sorta suck that stuff up gradually, soaking it in like a sponge.”

 

“So?.” Juleka dryly perked up at him. Plagg chuffed.

 

“So– you’re still human. So don't worry about that.” Plagg said, kicking his paws a bit in the air. And he smiled cheshire-ly at her, ears flopping about in the area as he nuzzled against her cheek, “But if I could call you anything, then it’s this; you’re my harbinger, Panthera. Don’t you forget it, especially when you won’t let others either.”

 

“Hey Jules! You’re gonna miss the selfie!”

 

“Ah,” Juleka’s ears perked up, eyes dilating as she saw that picnic. Her heart skipped a beat, seeing that beautiful scene. Plagg swirled over her shoulder, smiling his little silly grin and nudging her cheek. 

 

“Come on, go hang out with them. It’s your day, after all.” Plagg noted, following Juleka up as she stood. “And life is for the living, and you’re one of them.”

 

Juleka was living. Juleka was alive.

 

“Coming!”






“G–GGh..!”

 

It was a sickening experience to be grateful for ‘Team Miraculous’s victory, but at least with their win– the miraculous cure would make sure she wouldn’t have to hire any sort of cleaning lady for the blood they had spilt on their way in– nor have to learn four years worth of medical school experience to fix the wounds in Gabriel’s body in under ten minutes.

 

Unfortunately, Nathalie wouldn’t be spared from the heated agony writhing in her chest.

 

“I told you not to use the damn peacock..! Look at you now...”

“I’m– I’m sorry, sir. I– I had to. I had to help.” Nathalie whispered, holding the side of his haggard face. He was still worse for wear in exhaustion– And they both knew why. Gabriel cursed, slamming his fist against his chair as they both wheezed together in the silent cold house, trying to collect themselves and nurse their bruised prides.

 

“That cat is going to have to die.”

 

“W-What? What did you say..?” Nathalie looked up, fixing her glasses. Panthera Noire. He described her earlier like a demon, a monster. Her view through his eyes had been cut off after she’d broken his cane– but she saw the manic look in her eyes before it all went away. To imagine something worse, more, unhinged was.. A bit disturbing to compare against her public popular image.. But– a child? Who couldn’t have been older than Adrien? 

 

“She has to die.” Gabriel muttered, grinding his teeth together as his eyes glazed over with an old steady fear, “Or she’ll kill us first. She’ll rip us apart and Adrien will lose everyone.”

 

Her face fell, holding herself tight. Adrien. Adrien. Adrien. Her boy– no. Their boy. Emelie and Gabriel’s boy. He was not her’s. He would never be her’s. She was just– the assistant. The distant guardian. This was all for him though, if she could help– she could just. Maybe.. Nathalie shook her head at herself. What mattered was this family.

 

“What do you suggest we do, sir?”

 

“I need a power improvement.” Gabriel growled, wheezing himself up to his feet. Nathalie’s eyes lit up. She could be helpful– she thought, grasping onto her chest.

 

“I can keep helping as Mayura. Did you see the heroes and how I surprised them? How I was able to improve our power by so much? How they weren’t prepared for us?” Nathalie asked, her heart raced saying it all, “I can do it again–!”

 

“I WON’T let you use HER miraculous again, IT–!” 

 

He accidentally slammed his hand a bit too hard. The silence that followed was deafening. Nathalie gulped hard, the air felt so cold and thick inside her throat. She wondered if Paris was beautiful at this time of hour- to distract herself of the choking burn inside her chest. Emelie would’ve loved today.

 

Gabriel sighed, burrowing himself with thought before smoothly continuing–

 

“It... is too dangerous.. for you to use.” He simply worded, before sighing, “I have a different idea. It will need further and focused preparation– meaning we will pause any further attempts to defeat the heroes until our operation is finished. We’ll be able to rest, and when we return, we will be unstoppable.”

 

“And your idea is..?” Nathalie looked up unsurely. Gabriel fixed his glasses slowly, before grunting.

 

“Shanghai.”




Notes:

Hey hey hey!

It's finally arrived, the season 2 finale of Panthera Noire. Can't believe it took me this long but, hey! We've finally arrived! How you guys feeling. You tired? Have you changed into something comfy? Have some water, lets get cozy and unwind.

I started Season 2 of Panthera in 2020, so it's been three years or so. The fact I got through season 1 so fast was due to the fact I was skipping episodes, I just wasn't putting my whole heart into them, and it was barely anything but the plot of canon. But now we're here. This chapter is over 21k words long now and I hope you enjoyed every minute of it- and I hope you enjoyed the journey!

I've changed a lot since then. I learned the difference between since and sense, I met a bunch of lovely people, and I even jumped fandoms cause of the stress of Miraculous. I won't be as close to canon anymore, but that's a given. As you might suspect- I'll actually be covering some of the specials! Only two though, the Shanghai Special and the New York one for reasons I can't wait to get to in the unforeseeable future.

I just want to say; thank you for coming on this wayfaring journey with me, lovelies. And I can't wait for more. See you next time <3 !

Chapter 69

Summary:

COME ON WHAT ELSE WOULD I MAKE THE SIXTY NINTH CHAPTER

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

[New Chat has been Created]

 

[11:21 PM]

 

Ladybug has joined the chat...

Panthera Noire has joined the chat...

Rena Rouge has joined the chat...

Carapace has joined the chat...

Queen Bee has joined the chat...

 

Panthera Noire: oh would you look at that!

Panthera Noire: so asking nicely does work huh who wouldve thought

 

Ladybug: Yes yes, I finally made it, are you happy kitty?

 

Panthera Noire: mmmmveryyes 

 

Rena Rouge: HOLY FUCKING SHIT NUTS

 

Ladybug: language!!!!!

 

Panthera Noire: you can say fuck 

 

Queen Bee: oh hello wow ok hi omg hi

 

Carapace: Oh dude is this real?

 

Queen Bee: Is dude just a place holder for words for you?

 

Carapace: don't bully me dont bully me dont bully me im just a little guy cmon cmon its just me im just a little guy cmon im just a little birthday boy im just a little birthday guy

 

Rena Rouge: hold on hold on lemme breathe the moment of expected shenanigans in first 

 

Queen Bee: …

 

Carapace: dot dot dot…

 

Panthera: …?

 

Ladybug: wh

 

Rena Rouge: okay thank you

Rena Rouge: SO really quick, panthera, when you said ‘so asking nicely does work huh who wouldve thought’ does this mean this was all YOUR idea

 

Ladybug: well it was a JOINT EFFORT

 

Panthera Noire: just thought it’d be easier.

 

Queen Bee: How is this easier if we don’t have our miraculouses.

 

Panthera Noire is typing...

 

Ladybug: So when I need to call whichever one I need the power of out, I have you as an instant contact and you can ask questions about hero stuff without needing to risk being well- your super you! 

 

Panthera Noire is typing... 

Panthera Noire is typing... 

 

Panthera Noire: yeah, that

 

Carapace: ohhh I see

 

Queen Bee: Does this mean we get to know each other now? Both panthera and Ladybug know who I am so that’s like half of everyone for me. 

Queen Bee: Not that I want these two dolts to know they’re probably just plebeians compared to me lol lol lol :nail-care:

Queen Bee: But because of the opportunity like…?

 

Rena Rouge: wow girl maybe i DONT wanna know DAMN

 

Carapace: wait is this joking are we joking

 

Rena Rouge: it’s fine so long as im ignorant to bee’s real face and name all my fics are still canon :sparkles:

 

Carapace: fics??? 

 

Queen Bee: Fair enough haha

 

Panthera Noire: shell my gf uses slash tone stuff carapace do you know what those are

 

Carapace: omg those maybe we should get those

 

Panthera Noire: yeah lmao

 

Queen Bee: Rena do you have any fic recs the ones on the ladyblog kinda suck FR

 

Ladybug: OKAY SO QUEEN BEE. YOUR QUESTION FROM EARLIER ABOUT IDENTITIES ABSOLUTELY NOT. The Rules have not changed. Don’t forget them, okay?

 

Rena Rouge: THE ONE S ON THE BLOG DO NO TSUCK COME N FIGHT BE BEE

Rena Rouge: Oh oh damn ok hear you loud and clear Ladybug of course.

 

Queen Bee: Of course of course sorry

 

Carapace: [image]

Carapace: oh sorry i forgot to pay attention got it Ladydude

Carapace: do we have other channels in here or...

 

Ladybug: No we don’t have channels here, this is a very serious chat. IF you wanna goof off this just isn’t the place for it.

 

[Panthera Noire has changed the chat name to ‘Hawkmoth Suck MY FUCKING DICK’]

 

Ladybug: PANTHERA

 

Panthera Noire: On that note, go to sleep everyone. That was a lot. And pretending to be normal after a fight will wear off the stuff in your brain telling you you’re fine. Rest now.

 

Ladybug: PANTHERA

 

[8:02 AM]

 

Rena Rouge: right so day fucking two post hero’s day yeah

 

Carapace: goodmorning guysssss

 

Rena Rouge: gouughhhghhfhghhg my everything fucking huuUUURTTS ;;;;;;;;

 

Queen Bee: Every muscle is on fire… it wasn’t like this last time we were heroes..

Queen Bee: Aren’t we supposed to be like, superpowered or something…

 

Carapace: dudes... I wanna shed like my skin but like… not my skin- I wanna replace like all my insides

Carapace: like just dump it out like soup and fill my shell back up with new batteries yup yup yup yummy

 

Queen Bee: That’s absolutely disgusting Carapace.

 

Rena Rouge: BIG FUCKING MOOD THOUGH GRAHRHGRHGHGRHRG !!!!!!!!!!

 

Queen Bee: God when did you get rabies lmao 

 

Rena Rouge: ok look thats fucking hilarious and im cackling look at me im cackling but rabies is fatal to humans you can’t joke about that man it’s an agonizing death it’s so dangerous there’s literally no cure ok it’s so fucked up don’t even don’t even that shits scary as shit you gotta listen to me it can happen and theres nothing you can do about it and rabies lives in animal corpses long after they die ok okay??

 

Queen Bee: Christ ok god what the hell

 

Carapace: dude I’m scared of rabies now

 

Rena Rouge: good I love to spread my agendas, all of them, anyways 

Rena Rouge: I feel like I got slammed in the face by a truck..,, 

 

Carapace: for real bro

 

Queen Bee: that seems tamer than how it feels

 

Rena Rouge: yeah it feels like- yeah we got crushed by a truck and then like birthed it or something..,,

 

Panthera Noire: hello?

 

Rena Rogue: oh my god

 

Panthera Noire: and what the fuck did i walk into

 

Carapace: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHh

 

Queen Bee: PHSFHEHFESFHESHAHDJKHKSDKFHDSKHLFDHSKAFDHKFALKJ 

 

Rena Rouge: HELL THIS IS HELL THIS IS UTTER HELL OH GOD OH GOD WHY

 

Panthera Noire: hell is where i was born from yes welcome to my humble abode

Panthera Noire: please have some of my favorite drink

Panthera Noire: some uh

Panthera Noire: boneless sprite

 

Rena Rouge:  W H A     T    

 

Carapace: BRO HAND THAT SHIT OVER IMMA SLLLLRURURUUURPPPPPPP 

 

Queen Bee: I hate you ALL SO MUCH not you panthera of course not you panthera i love you sm 

 

Rena Rouge: simp

 

Queen Bee: everyone simps for panthera stfu like literally stfu I don’t simp for her though I’m different now

 

Panthera Noire: :pillow:

 

Queen Bee: thats mean, panthera, thats mean

 

Carapace: huh???

 

Rena Rouge: what the heck am I missing here :eyes:

 

Panthera Noire: nothing much

 

Panthera Noire: anyways though we all fought for a lot longer than we were used to. even me and bug are pretty tired and we do this sorta fighting like eight times a week

Panthera Noire: not saying your guys’s work wasnt a lot before but like you also got akumatized too so that mustve been stressful 

 

Carapace: god yeah i got akumatized.. AGAIN.. God that sucked i forgot how that felt

 

Rena Rouge: hold up have we ALL GOTTEN AKUMATIZED BEFORE IN HERE

 

Panthera Noire: apparently so.

 

Queen Bee: Wouldn’t be the most rarest thing, a lot of people have gotten akumatized this year

 

Rena Rouge: Though, we gotta account for Mr Pigeon

 

Queen Bee: we don’t speak of his name

 

Carapace: Panthera

Carapace: Were we bad? Like as akumas? Were we really bad?

 

Panthera Noire is typing…

 

Ladybug: You guys were no issue! We stopped you quickly and efficiently!

 

Panthera Noire is typing…

 

Panthera Noire: yeah that

 

Carapace: whew thats a relief 

 

Queen Bee: I always thought we’d be safe when we were transformed.. So we can get akumatized no matter what?

 

Ladybug: Hawkmoth can akumatize anyone so long as he can convince them to accept his power. Which is really easy when he can cause a mental corruption via invasion of the psyche through his power and what not. Making you evil.

 

Rena Rouge: Am I allowed to take notes?

 

Ladybug: Only for yourself, where no one can see.

 

Rena Rouge: Right.. Right..

 

Panthera Noire: keep in mind though that neither me nor Ladybug have actually been akumatized so we can’t quite pitch in exactly to what being akumatized is like

 

Ladybug: But we’re still the most accurate.

 

Panthera Noire: we’ll never be 100% accurate unless we get akumatized

 

Ladybug: which won’t happen.

 

Panthera Noire: just saying we can’t speak for the akumatized people since we don’t fully understand how it felt for them

 

Ladybug: They turn evil and side with Hawkmoth, becoming misguided based on their emotions beforehand, then we defeat them, and can have a chance to fix what they had troubles with. It’s simple at this point.

 

Panthera Noire: remember guys, the mind is the main root of the akuma’s drive. If you can somehow sever their motivation from their stressed mind, there’s a hope you can solve an akuma without fighting when you’re alone.

 

Ladybug: but we’ll still be there and I’ll always have a plan so don’t worry about getting into those scenarios

 

Queen Bee: I’m getting so many mixed signals of advice.

 

Rena Rouge: I’m just writing as much stuff as I can down, girl.

 

Carapace: I’m copy pasting what they’re saying into my notes app man I’m not smart enough for this shit man.

 

Panthera Noire: just make sure to rest and get some ice packs

 

Ladybug: and or heating pads

 

Carapace: even more confusion

 

[4:32 PM]

 

Ladybug: well that was another day without akumas.

 

Panthera Noire: its been a nice breather, maybe we scared HM off for a bit..

 

Ladybug: yeah.. maybe..

 

Rena Rouge: RIGHT BEFORE I FORGET

Rena Rouge: HEY @QueenBee GET OVER HERE

 

Queen Bee: huh huh i was trying to learn how to rollerblade what do you want

 

Rena Rouge: you were trying to what

 

Queen Bee: I said what do you want fox 

 

Panthera Noire: ?

 

Ladybug: why would you be rollerskating isn’t that a bit beneath you

 

Queen Bee: it’s for a friend..

 

Panthera Noire: partner she can have hobbies

Panthera Noire: your friend will appreciate it a lot bee, im proud of your effort

 

Rena rouge: YOU ASKED EARLIER ABOUT MY FIC RECS AND EVEN THOUGH YOU CLEARLY GOT LAME TASTE SINCE YOU DONT LIKE THE RECS ON THE LADYBLOG I STILL WENT SEARCHIN FOR MY FAVS AND FOUND SOME STUFF [link] [link] [link] [link]

 

Queen Bee: thank you panthwhat is this my god are these fics????

 

Rena Rouge: yes I just said that, well ones a series but the author just split up the seasons with each fic 

 

Queen Bee: seasons?

Queen Bee: ..thank you-

 

Ladybug: WHAT THE HECK WHERE ARE THERE SO MANY HOW DID YOU GET THESE SO FAST

Ladybug: the word counts on these are.. You haven’t read all of them through have you I can’t even imagine reading that many words..

 

Rena Rouge: fan fic writers, readers, and enjoyers are a different breed, Ladybug

Rena Rouge: respect the craft

 

Ladybug: o k

 

Panthera Noire: Oh I read one of these, I liked how they wrote me actually

 

Rena Rouge: I oughta get you to read the tweets about you on video sometime, girl, that’ll be such a good video

 

Panthera Noire: Why would I do a video with you 

Panthera Noire: How would you even upload it

 

Rena Rouge: oh um right hahaa just, would be cool

 

Carapace: woah fanfics thats cool

Carapace: my bro reads these a lot and tells me all about their plots, i love how happy it makes him but since i know so much from his talks i hardly really read them

 

Panthera Noire: the ones where we’re civillians.. I think their names are creative.

 

Ladybug: guys should we be clogging the chat with this //

 

Rena Rouge: there’s always a bunch that EVERYONE uses but I really like the unique ones. Like– I’m always some R name or they just call me Rena but like

Rena Rouge: I’ve seen a VIXEN and a uh like- I read a Rachel once that was funny

 

Queen Bee: rachel is like a white american girl name though

 

Rena Rouge: yeah.

 

Carapace: I like the ones i get. 

 

Panthera Noire: yeah yours are cute, like, mikey and stuff. I like mikey. Cause the ninja turts.

 

Carapace: yeah dude exactlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: 

 

Panthera Noire: I have a friend who’s a script writer that likes writing fics n stuff, i like them cause she’s very anti ladynoire so i dont have to get forced through that sorta romance plots.

 

Ladybug: hm

Ladybug: those are kinda boring dont you think

 

Rena Rouge: well i mean they i mean people can make it super cool and original or like do rare pairs or

 

Panthera Noire: Ladybugs just salty that no fan fiction can heal the broken heart I gave her by never dating her

 

Ladybug: WE TOTALLY DATED

 

Rena Rouge: YOU WHAT

 

Queen Bee: YOU WHAT

 

Carapace: huwh sorry i started reading the one where queen bees ladybug

 

Panthera Noire: partner, one date isn’t dating im sorry but thats truth

Panthera Noire: you got no rizz 

Panthera Noire: even if the date was.. Fine

 

Ladybug: THE DATE WAS GREAT

 

Panthera Noire: glaciator sucked

 

Rena Rouge: oh my GOD

 

Ladybug: SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT 

 

Panthera Noire: I don’t think I will partner I already go non verbal enough 

 

Ladybug: WE HAD ONE DATE WE KISSED WE DIDNT GET TOGETHER THATS BASICALLY A BREAK UP WE JUST SPEED RAN IT YEAH

 

Panthera Noire: right, of course, yes, definitely bug whatever you say

 

Carapace: ooh this fic hc-ed me as trans thats so real

 

Ladybug: this conversation is so unprofessional we should stop this now.

 

Panthera Noire: coward face the truth

 

Ladybug: no i dont care if we arent together and you have a girlfriend compared to all of paris im WINNING ANYWAYS

 

Panthera Noire: you also hate my gf

 

Ladybug: I do NOT

 

Rena Rouge: my god what is happening

 

Panthera Noire: you sorta do bug

 

Carapace: are hero parents are fighting, a martial brospute

 

Queen Bee: wouldn’t be the first time been through that sorta gig, sit back guys

 

Ladybug: im sure your girlfriend is a very lovely person panthera but you know how i feel about professionalism and identity safety as heroes and the risk factor that comes with the potentialn ess of fami ly be m ebrsr knowing  w  ho you a  re

 

Panthera: ladybug basically ever cat and raven in paris knows who i am

 

Ladybug: YES BUT YOUR GIRLFRIEND IS NOT A CAT BIRD

 

Rena Rouge: omg my fav fic just updated

 

[2:12 AM]

 

Rena Rouge: i cant sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Rena Rouge: im so sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy

Rena Rouge: i cant SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

 

Panthera Noire: fascinating announcement 

 

Rena Rouge: fuck i didnt expect someone to respond

Rena Rouge: you can’t sleep either?

 

Panthera Noire: i’m simply up

Panthera Noire: was working on some song stuff

 

Rena Rouge: i remember you saying you were a musician 

Rena Rouge: on uh the ladyblog that is love that site

Rena Rouge: this late tho??

 

Panthera Noire: its early technically speaking

 

Rena Rouge: riiiight i guess so

 

Panthera Noire: planned to talk for a long time with girlfriend over stuff but something happened so we had to do it over call

Panthera Noire: started to talk about music somewhere in there s why im doin it now while im still thinkin about it

 

Rena Rouge: been working on my own project too rn lol

Rena Rouge: my bestie is my lab partner and has been so busy recently so I’ve been doing a lot of the slides

Rena Rouge: it’s fine I’ve seen how stressed she is over her stuff so it’s not that she’s faking it just, work to do

Rena Rouge: yknow what im saying?

 

Panthera Noire: in my own way, yes

 

Carapace: w hat are you guys talkingabo ut brosszj

 

Panthera Noire: nothing much just heroing stuff shelly

Panthera Noire: go sleep

 

Carapace: mhokkay

 

Rena Rouge: So whats your gf like, Panthera?

 

Panthera Noire: whos asking

 

Rena Rouge: MEEE

 

Panthera Noire: go work on your project fox

 

Rena Rouge: So NOW youre all boss like LMAOOO

 

Panthera Noire: im not the boss, ladybug is

Panthera Noire: sleep or work fox, choice is yours lol

 

Rena Rouge: Yeahhhhh god I’d love to sleep rn but I just keep finding reasons to work

Rena Rouge: are you the same?

 

Panthera Noire: im not really a busy body

Panthera Noire: i can simply relax, then life is perfect to me

 

Rena Rouge: real 

Rena Rouge: fuuuck I might sleep I don’t think anything I’m writing down makes sense

 

Panthera Noire: fair enough, rest well, Rena

 

Rena Rouge: gnnnnnnnnn

 

[10:32 AM]

 

Queen Bee: I swear to god I just saw a pigeon fly a little faster than normal and I had a goddamn heart attack fuck

 

Rena Rouge: god that’s so sad but fr fr 

 

Queen Bee: I can’t believe life has come to this

 

Carapace: New brochure headline thing for visitors, “Paris: the place where we’re traumatized by fucking pigeons”

Carapace: can you edit an image of that and like send it to the Ladyblog or something that’s so funny dude

 

Queen Bee: HA sure give me a second 

Queen Bee: ok how’s this [image]

 

Carapace: LMAO DUDE THATS PERFECT

Carapace: SEND IT SEND IT

 

Queen Bee: IM SENDING IT NOW BE PATIENT SHES PROBABLY BUSY WITH CLASS OR SOMETHING

Queen Bee: oh wow that posted quick

 

Rena Rouge: LOL that’s hilarious 

 

Ladybug: guys get off your phones

 

Rena Rouge: ACK OK

 

Queen Bee: CHRIST OK

 

Carapace: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

 

[2:23 PM]

 

Rena Rouge: so I was wondering for my notes if there was ever a chance to ask about specific miraculous question stuff

 

Ladybug: Of course! What’s your question?

 

Rena Rouge: welll the thing is I was wondering if I could ask my Kwami about it

 

Ladybug: well I can certainly answer it just fine for Trixx

 

Rena Rouge: Oh, well, ok

 

Panthera Noire: maybe we can just bring Trixx over just so she can ask?

 

Ladybug: But I can answer

 

Rena Rouge: it’s fine no worries!!

Rena Rouge: I was just wondering about like past holders and stuff and if any of my predictions were correct

Rena Rouge: and if that just means superheroes have been throughout history like, forever

Rena Rouge: or like other super villains

 

Ladybug: Well it’s certainly true that there were some people in the past that had our miraculouses. I think some of your predictions were right.

Ladybug: but the thing is— any miraculous can be used for good and evil. I mean, except me and the cat they should ALWAYS be used for good but they all have the potential to be used for terrible things due to the power they have

Ladybug: Yours for example, belonged to the Pied Piper, and he wasn’t the greatest guy was he

 

Rena Rouge: WAIT HE EXISTED??? God damn

Rena Rouge: does this mean the moth miraculous could be used for good? or like- is the moth Kwami brainwashed too

 

Ladybug: Nooroo? he’s a butterfly and um I’m not sure how he’s doing, all the Kwami are worried about him though.

 

Panthera Noire: Plagg is very worried for him

Panthera Noire: he says Nooroo has always been quite quiet 

 

Carapace: poor buddy :((((((

 

Queen Bee: guess this is all a rescue mission too then huh

 

Panthera Noire: for the peafowl miraculous as well

 

Ladybug: peacock

 

Panthera Noire: peafowl…?

 

Ladybug: the book says peacock

 

Panthera Noire: but it makes sense if it’s the peafowl.? The Kwami don’t really have gender..

 

Rena Rouge: do you guys know your hero-ancestors? Are they cool?

 

Ladybug: Well that’s sorta welllll

 

Panthera Noire: Plagg mentioned Blackbeard at some point. That’s cool.

 

Ladybug: Blackbeard really?? But he killed a bunch of people.

 

Panthera Noire: Bug, Plagg is not above Murder. 

 

Carapace: metal.

 

Panthera Noire: yeah 

 

Ladybug: but why would they give Blackbeard Plagg of all kwami that’s so dangerous

 

Panthera Noire: Plagg says Blackbeard just found him or somethin

 

Rena Rouge: who’s they ???? :eyes:

 

Panthera Noire is typing…

 

Ladybug: that’s private info

 

Panthera Noire is typing…

 

Panthera Noire: ya

 

Rena Rouge: PLS LET PANTHERA COOK I NEED ANSWERRSSSS

 

Panthera Noire: :zipper: :openhand:

 

Rena Rouge: AAAAAAAAA 

 

Carapace: I got a question 

 

Ladybug: Yeah?

 

Carapace: do our Kwami like us :pleading: 

 

Ladybug: I can certainly ask! But they haven’t really seen you a lot besides helping you guys transform 

 

Panthera Noire: maybe they should transform more then 

Panthera Noire: the more they learn about themselves as heroes the more viable and powerful they’ll be

 

Ladybug: Yes but they’re temporary heroes and they come out often don’t they?? Right guys??

 

Rena Rouge: uhhhh yeah I guess so …?

 

Carapace: I’m still sorta sore from heroes day

 

Queen Bee: I miss pollen

 

Panthera Noire: m

 

Ladybug: Anyways though lets keep this chat professional 

 

Three have left a thumbs up emoji on this message.

 

[Yohoho PARTNAHS]

[11:46 pm]

 

Pantyhose Nuclear: thanks for bringing dinner for patrol btw it was yummy

 

Laserpointer Bugatti: NP!! Anything to get some meat on your bones 

 

Pantyhose Nuclear: being stressed out and dying every akuma attack is a very carb burning work out

 

Laserpointer Bugatti: I’m still not used to these chat names btw

 

Pantyhose Nuclear: meh we change them like every week its fine 

Pantyhose Nuclear: at least we know what our back up hero names are now

 

Laserpointer Bugatti: YEAH no that’s not happening

Laserpointer Bugatti: I’d rather not be known for the chat name I typed in blindly and let auto correct choose

 

Pantyhose Nuclear: why not i think this is a fantastic name for both of us, Laserpointer 

 

Laserpointer Bugatti: You’re ok with being known as pantyhose?

 

Pantyhose Nuclear: definitely 

 

Laserpointer Bugatti: Of course 

 

Pantyhose Nuclear: yeas

Pantyhose Nuclear: its been peaceful for a hot second hasnt it

 

Laserpointer Bugatti: It’s been peaceful after akumas before 

 

Pantyhose Nuclear: not for long though

Pantyhose Nuclear: but this time– its like hearing thunder for so many hours

Pantyhose Nuclear: my eyes are open, i cant sleep, im just waiting for the lightning

 

Laserpointer Bugatti: you cant rest easier either then

 

Pantyhose Nuclear: i dont rest easy much anymore

Pantyhose Nuclear: only under weird circumstances

 

Laserpointer Bugatti: Like when you hang out on patrol with me? 

 

Pantyhose Nuclear: sometimes yeah,

Pantyhose Nuclear: usually when Im with my gf tho

 

Laserpointer Bugatti: ah right her.

 

Pantyhose Nuclear: that or when im with my ma

Pantyhose Nuclear: schools ending though, so, maybe we’ll finally get some rest time

Pantyhose Nuclear: maybe we can finally train up the heroes before HM comes back?

 

Laserpointer Bugatti: yeah, maybe

Laserpointer Bugatti: ive been uhhh

Laserpointer Bugatti: talking to the guardian about that yeah yea

 

Pantyhose Nuclear: oh rlly??

Pantyhose Nuclear: ok cool!

Pantyhose Nuclear: thank you

 

Laserpointer Bugatti: Mm!! Mhm!

 

Pantyhose Nuclear: well

Pantyhose Nuclear: gonna rest easy then

Pantyhose Nuclear: gn bug

 

Laserpointer Bugatti: Goodnight

Laserpointer Bugatti: pantyhose

 

Pantyhose Nuclear: HehEH

 

Laserpointer Bugatti: THAT WASNT EVEN ON PURPOSE THAT WASNT EVEN ON PURPOSE NO NO NO

 

Pantyhose Nuclear: ASJDKAFDJLKFJSFJDKLSFJKLDSFJLSFJLK

 

Notes:

Hey hey!!

Hilariously, today is the last day of school for me! Hah! um, that doesnt mean I'll be posting more though, I'll actually be on a trip for a bit. Takin a mini break. But we are not OFFICALLY OFFICALLY done with Season 2. Hope you guys are ready for Shanghai + Season 3!

Hoped you enjoyed this!

Chapter 70: Fei

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text



Fire.

 

Endless, fire.

 

Every time she closed her eyes it was just that scene.

 

The sting of smoke and embers in her face, filling her lungs with ash, and the terrible wounds that gashed against her skins with ebony burns and singing suffering. This was once a magnificent school, and it was going up into flames. The man just beyond her reach was her father, and she was being dragged away from saving him.

 

“NO! NO! PLEASE!”

 

“Get back, Fei. He’s gone now.”

 

“PLEASE!” She screamed, her body felt like living agony. The burns on her arms, her palms, her face, feeling like nothing compared to the sinking agony in her chest. “I NEED HIM PLEASE! PLEASE!”

 

The grip against her shoulder only tightened as she flailed helplessly against its grip. Her eyes were stinging with endless, hot tears, and she shrieked to the ignorant heavens.

 

“PLEASE!”

 

That was so long ago now. Four years soon. And yet the nightmare still played in front of her eyes every time she came and slept here, in this tapestry of tattered memories. It laid waste in her mind, tainting it like tar, and ran through her blood like the trails of smoke that still ushered off the edges of this place she could no longer call home.

 

Her name.. was Fei. 

 

She was the daughter of a great man. A man of high ideals. She can still remember how he spoke so kindly about the ways of life. About how to view others. He taught her to see people as people, to think of them as stories: their smallest pleasures, their greatest joys, their disappointments, their successes.

 

He pleaded for her to understand his morals. And she obeyed as best she could. Clearly, some would already wish for his teachings. People used to come from all over to hear his words of wisdom. Or well– they usually just wanted to learn the strength of his fist.

 

There was once an instance where her father was asked by a young man if he would train him to help him ‘retrieve a man’s head’. ‘For retribution’ he said for revenge’ he repeated with tears in his eyes. He was desperate and angry and violent. Her father refused. And the man left bitter and betrayed.

 

Her father always said ‘vengeance is for those who have no idea where to go and have no idea of what they would want to leave behind when they are gone’. Her father is a smart and kind man. Her father was a smart and kind man. And she was a fool to believe in everything he taught her. After all, he was wrong about a few things.

 

He was wrong about always being there for her. He was wrong about going back to retrieve the bracelet he'd always sworn to protect from the burning school– He was wrong to trust her with it, when someone had only stolen it from her in return.

 

But he was wrong about one last thing. What he’d said before.. She knew exactly what she intended to leave behind when she was gone.

 

It was damage.

 

There was no way that fire started by accident. There was no way one of the people that scorned her father’s life wasn’t at fault. It was all on them. It was all on them and she’d make them fucking pay. Fei’s life ended in that fire– The last bits of her soul were torn away with her father’s precious bracelet– It was all just so much and for what? And for what?

 

And for what?

 

Every part of her life had been another stab through her chest, so Fei simply pulled it all the way through. She simply sharpened the edge. If she was already burning- burning- burning- like she always had since that terrible night- then why not let it spread?

 

There was a figure she had to kill for their sins. Even if Fei was already rotting, it was simply her duty to pull them down with her. Everything hurt, but she had to keep moving for this one goal. She would be their executioner. 

 

She would bring.. justice.

 

 

Summer had been lots of fun for Juleka! Probably the funnest summer yet. The last day of school felt like the strangest day ever. Everything truly went right. Juleka got time with her friends, got extra time with Rose, lunch was good– dinner was good– she got to pet a cat and Alya liked the photos she took for the Ladyblog even though there hadn’t been akumas for weeks.

 

Yes. WEEKS.

 

Juleka really couldn’t believe it. The feeling of looking over her shoulder for a neon colored maniac had nearly vanished, at least mostly. Like for this strange moment of summer, nothing terrible happened– like for this strange summer, it was like everything had been returned to the world from before Hawkmoth and better. The normalcy really did deserve its own celebration. It’s why the picnic was planned pretty early, even before school ended. 

 

She supposed the only thing terrible was the heat, but her new crop top as Panthera Noire was a nice defense against it. Though, Juleka worried if Rose might’ve liked it a bit more than she should’ve. Eh, oh well. She could like what she liked. It was all nice in the world. Juleka felt like walking through a dream. Though the only one keen on staying awake was Ladybug herself.

 

“I’m going on a trip soon, outside of Paris.” Ladybug said with concern. Panthera’s ears twitched upwards. Was she? Marinette hadn’t mentioned that yet? She supposed telling her hero partner was on a higher priority. “I’m excited for it but– it’s the first trip outside of Paris since Hawkmoth. What if he attacks right while I’m gone?”

 

“We got new power up treats don't we?” Juleka asked. “The ones with the uh.. What’d Fu say.. The.. space.. Stuff?”

 

“The.. cosmic treats? Yeah that’s true but..”

 

“So if there’s an attack..” Juleka led on in a sing songy tune– it made Ladybug sighed, nodding.

 

“Yes– I can be home by the same day, sure, but getting from there to here would still take a while–”

 

“So even in that worst case scenario, it’ll be fine,” Juleka reassured the most rationally she could. She leaned back against the rooftop shingles, breathing in the warm summer air beneath the moonlit night, “I’m just happy we haven’t had to fight in a while.”

 

“I guess. But this just means he’s been planning something, right? Waiting ‘til we’re vulnerable and rusty.. And then striking with something new?” Ladybug murmured, biting her teeth slightly into her knuckles. Juleka’s tail twitched, gazing over at her ringed hand.

 

The wound on her hand had healed completely about a week ago. But saying it was gone was something she could not confess. The scar remained and her nerves remained slightly tender, she was uncertain how long that’d last. She sighed.

 

“I think we’ll be fine.” Juleka shrugged, “I wouldn’t be surprised if he was on his own vacation right now.”

 

“Heh. Maybe.” Ladybug mused into the night, a pause, “I’ve never heard you sound so.. safe and calm over things.”


“What can I say?” Juleka crowed slowly, staring at the black ring on her finger. Her tail swayed behind her carefully as she breathed a light shrug. “My perspective has changed a bit since Hero’s Day..”

 

“..Right.”

 

That was a week before the picnic. Juleka guessed she was probably going to tell them then. It all made sense, she supposed. All in character. Tell the big event of going to visit her roots in Shanghai during their big get together. The only thing Juleka didn’t really expect was to say her own goodbyes.

 

When Juleka decided to go outside the country.

 

It was all quite last minute. 

 

By the nature of the rushed invite and well- who she was- Juleka thought Adrien sent it to the wrong person. Lila would’ve been a better fit. Or maybe Kagami. But no, he sent it to her. And the invitation was something Luka told her she couldn’t resist; An internship in Shanghai for the opening of the first Agreste Brand store. An opportunity to try some real modeling.

 

Juleka could remember the ‘interview’ so clearly..

 

...

 

“So you are..” Juleka squirmed uncomfortably in her seat as Gabriel Agreste loomed over her like a leering stature. He didn’t bend nor tilt his head, not like any vulture of crow, but like a still monument- keen on staring straight down into the eyes of whoever he was talking to. “..Juleka Couffaine. That’s correct?”

 

“M-Mhm.” Juleka nodded tightly.

 

“And my son recommended you as a... plus one for this event and intern.” Gabriel slowly drawled with articulate poison in her lungs. Juleka simply– nodded. He squinted behind his crooked glasses. “Is that correct or not?”

 

“It- It is. He, sent me an invite, yeah.” Juleka mumbled, rubbing her arm anxiously. Don’t think about how old he looks, don't think about how old he looks.. She kicked herself mentally. Mr Agreste hummed to himself, eyeing his secretary in the corner for a moment before glancing back at her.

 

“You’re the one who saved my son from that actor on stage, didn’t you. I presumed you were interested in acting, not photography,” He mused. Juleka freezed up and nodded quickly, trying not to look at the paling expression going across Adrien’s face.

 

“I uh- no- was just– acting for the show. That’s not really my thing- I mean it wouldn’t be after that aha.. Ahah...“ Juleka’s voice cracked with the chunk of her soul she was losing from this entire conversation. Oh god. She was going to be blacklisted from every job with that joke. Keep talking, Juleka, come on! “I actually am more interested in modeling like him,.! But I have experience with photography as well...”

 

“Right..” Gabriel muttered, turning away from her with a step, making her heart sink. A silence followed, and then he spoke. “If you can continue protecting Adrien in Shanghai I trust and value you coming with us on this trip. So long as you stay within some form of manageable dignity then we will have no problems.”

 

“Thank you so much, father! Thank you, thank you! Did you hear that, Juleka? You’re in!”

 

“Adrien.”

 

“Sorry, father.”

...

 

..God she was screwed. And yet so lucky. But also screwed. Could she survive? Oh god she was screwed. The drive to the airport was supposed to give her enough time to... ruminate over this whole decision, but she just felt, worse. She squeezed Luka tight as he drove them along. And his encouraging pat on the head should've been enough but..

 

“Pinch me again? Just in case?” Juleka squeaked under her breath.

 

“I think if I pinch you more, you’ll bruise, Jules.” Rose said with endeared concern.

 

“She’s right ya’know! And dont’cha need to be photo ready for all that model watchamacall it?”

 

“I guess so, ma.” Juleka mumbled, squeezing her suitcase and phone tight. Where was she supposed to meet Adrien again? How was one supposed to discreetly board a private jet?

 

“Sorry again that I can’t see you off before you board, lass. But apparently me bein’ a livin’ weapon is a danger to the airport as a whole. HAH!” Her mother’s voice rang loudly and amusedly from her phone’s screen. Juleka smiled endearingly. 

 

“It’s alright, Ma. I’ll miss you.”

 

“Safe travels, lass!”

 

“Jules, I see Adrien’s bodyguard. And I think he sees you too.” Juleka’s ears perked upwards and there he was. The gorilla. He looked rather pleasant when he wasn’t mind controlled and slamming her into elevators, or being a giant purple gorilla. She also was under the prosumption he knew really good sign, according to Adrien. So that was even nicer! But uh..

 

Juleka tilted her head down at Rose with a soft look.

 

“Hey,”

 

“Hi,” Rose smiled. Their fingers were woven together like golden twine and string. Rose’s face twitched slightly, and Juleka gave a tight squeeze.

 

“I’ll call you every hour?” Juleka offered.

 

“That’s so romantic, but please don't, you’ll be busy. I’m okay if you just call at night.” Rose chuckled, though the rosy tint in her cheeks only encouraged Juleka to call more than just that. Every... few hours. Yeah.

 

“I love you,” Juleka whispered.

 

“I love you too.” Rose whispered back, and she kissed her along the bridge of her knuckles before reaching up to plant one last lingering touch upon her cheek. She pressed her forehead into her neck tenderly, “Come home safe.”

 

“I will, promise.” Juleka nodded with a hug. And she was off. On an airplane. For the first time ever. And it was a GODDAMN PRIVATE JET OH GOD OH WHAT THE HELL.

 

“Yeah so we’ll be up here– for like eleven or less hours, but our plane goes super fast so we’ll actually just be here for like–!”

 

WHAT THE HELL WERE PLANES!?!

 

 

Juleka tapped her thumbs together, gulping down another awkward lump in her throat.

 

“So.. Nathalie will meet us there?”

 

“Yes, Adrien. As I said before. Understand?”

 

“Yes, Father.”

 

Everything was just a little bit too.. white in here. It made her eyes burn a bit from how pristine everything was. Juleka believed that anything that belonged to someone reflected in some way of their character. Her mother was her prime example, her family, their ship. Adrien’s own room of scattered personality was an example. And this airplane? The metallic taste in her mouth reminded her deeply of the man sitting by her.

 

Even for someone unrelated to her, his aura of ‘don’t talk out of line with me’ seemed to translate to anyone and everyone around him. Juleka wouldn’t call herself annoyed in his presence, simply, eternally on edge– especially right now as he looked back to gaze at her. She wasn’t sure how long she could last around him.

 

“Ms Couffaine? Are you feeling well?”

 

“U-Uh. Yes. I am.” Juleka quickly nodded. Doing hee best to declaw herself from her iron clutch on her seat, “Just, never been on a plane before.”

 

“Right. As you said before we boarded.” Gabriel nodded. Juleka mentally kicked herself. She smiled– no she tried not to- wait- but if he noticed her trying not to smile- she tried to smile again but all that came out was an awkward laugh. 

 

“Yeaaah..” Juleka said, rubbing her arm a little, “I’ll do my best to not be a bother. Everything will just be new to me. I’ve never been away from home like this before, alone..”

 

“It’s a shame we’re missing the picnic,” Adrien sighed a little. Juleka stared softly at him.

 

“Right,” Mr Agreste’s face didn’t twitch nor soften much in response, just nodded in understanding and turned back to stare forward. “The opening of this store is essential to the future of the Agreste Brand, you two. Opening it much sooner is very good news. There will be other fun times with your friends.”

 

“You’re right,” Adrien serenely nodded, smiling a little at his father. “Besides, I’m glad I get to spend some time with you.”

 

For once, Gabriel looked at his son gently, and outstretched a hand to the model’s shoulder. 

 

“I’m looking forward to it too, son.”

 

Juleka glanced away. She missed her mom already. The sinking feeling in her gut burned like a hot piece of coal. And so, the plane ride onwards was full of distraction. Adrien was apparently fluent in Mandarin and so he taught her a few phrases. She took out some cards she’d stored in her bag and did her best to teach him a poker game with the literal chips they had on hand. Juleka found a reason to talk to the Gorilla. They silently listened to music. They took naps, many naps. They watched the Lego Knightowl Movie. The hours ticked by so slowly and so quickly, it was.. a bit nauseating.

 

“We’re here, Juleka! Aren’t you excited to be in Shanghai?”

 

G-Guh. Humid. Wobbly. Planesick. Her ass hurts from sitting for so long in one spot. 

 

“I told you not to wear a hoodie, you were gonna get naked and not a good way. It’s summer, Jules. ” Plagg groaned in her hood. Juleka growled at him, slinking out the dark of the plane to stumble out after the model. She kept her head down as some rich people greeted Mr Agreste and Adrien with too much familiarity for what was clearly a stranger and she kept her head down when they were bustled to a car and driven outwards to—

 

—The city. Oh that made her head tilt up actually. It was so much different from Paris. Her eyes blinked wide as she gazed out the window, fingers tapping against the glass with curious awe. She was so far from home. Juleka wasn’t sure how to even process it all. It all felt.. extremely far from her ..Oh that building looked fun to climb.

 

“Juleka!” 

 

“Oh h-Huh?” Juleka sputtered back to focus. Oh they were walking now. Near the hotel they’d be staying at. A hotel.. she could only imagine Chloe’s when she thought of a hotel. She had no idea what to expect. And honestly— despite the hours of sitting on her ass and making it hurt- some part of her just wanted to sit down again and sleep.

 

Juleka kept to Adrien’s side all the way. It was all so nerve wracking. The blabber around her was all incomprehensible to her ears. Part of her wanted to hold hands with the lad for the safety of contact but— she could feel eyes all on her and she decided best not. How stressful.

 

“When do we head to the hotel room..?”

 

“Oh we gotta meet with a few more people father needs to securely contact.” Adrien said, taking her bag from her and placing it one of those cart.. things. Oh bye bye bag. Adrien smiled at her, “And then we can go out and walk around maybe and eat something together, right father?”

 

They looked over, Gabriel didn’t give them a spared glance. Adrien wilted just a bit but a hand found his shoulder they glanced at with wide eyes. Nathalie Sancour was birdlike in nature to Juleka. Didn’t seem the, healthiest type either. Wonder what she was doing here earlier. I guess assistants are like that. Can’t imagine. Juleka thought to herself thinly as Nathalie spoke on.

 

“Your father will be handling the connection meetings Adrien, you to can go to your hotel rooms.” Nathalie said. Adrien gave her a sad little look.

 

“Rooms? So we’re going to be seperate?” He asked. Nathalie shifted tensely. 

 

“Adrien you know the rules with opposite gender er-“

 

“But Juleka’s literally has a girlfriend!” Adrien whisper shouted, making Juleka slowly nod supportively behind him. Adrien clasped his hands into a prayer like pose, “We can just have a sleepover. Like how me and Chloe did when we were little! Pleaaaaase Nathalie!”

 

“But we already assigned..” Nathalie fidgeted with her tablet. Juleka held up a shy hand.

 

“I can still use the seperate room for like.. changing and stuff— but I can pop in to Adrien’s a lot right.?” Juleka suggested. Nathalie looked to her and she immediately froze up. She’s so scary, but I wanna ask what her hair dye is. Nathalie sighed.

 

“Alright,”

 

“WOO!”

 

“Adrien. Inside voices. Be professional, please.” Gabriel’s head turned then with a sharp look.

 

“Yes father sorry father.!” Adrien squeaked. A beat passed. And Adrien let out a very quiet, “Woo-!”

 

So woo! Room neighbors! So many laughs until uh, they settled in and had.. nothing to um.. do.

 

“So!” Adrien smiled, patting his knees.

 

“I think we ran out of stuff to do on the plane.” Juleka deadpanned, laying on her back lazily as she snuck Plagg a hunk of cheese from their little ‘welcome’ snack platter. Adrien sighed.

 

“Yeah.. sorry I don’t have that many hobbies.”

 

“Hey now. Don’t be hard on yourself you don’t have a lot of free time to develop them.” Juleka noted softly. Adrien hummed.

 

“I like playing the piano, sometimes. But that’s not really portable unless you brought a keyboard..” Adrien offered. Juleka’s hair bristled a little. She didn’t like playing the piano— She shook her head. What to do, Juleka wondered. She looked over to see him, her hair pooling over the side of the couch.

 

“Is there anything you’re not good at yet?” Juleka asked. Adrien hummed. And nodded.

 

The chess board laid in front of Juleka so particular and spotless— Juleka would’ve figured it was newly bought. Adrien adjusted its position a little and smiled at her.

 

“Father always said that knowing how to play chess was a smart trait.” Adrien said brightly, placing the pieces one by one on his side, going group by group. Juleka hummed in response, deciding to hurry following him— placing on her side the many obsidian looking pieces all of her pieces in a clumsy pile before rearranging them in place. 

 

“So how often do you play?” She asked.

 

“A lot actually.”

 

“Oh so you’re good?” Juleka placed her queen down with a curious look. Adrien shook his head.

 

“You’d think. But I do it against computer AI most of the time. And then when I go against a real person it’s like all my ‘skill’ has left me,” Adrien said with a slight slump. Juleka chuckled. Right okay, she could see that. She placed her king down. There. Done. Oh wait those two had to be swapped- now done.

 

“I don’t play often. Only sometimes when me and my brother are bored.” Juleka said, tapping her fingers on her knees a little. She glanced up and saw Plagg floating behind Adrien and she glared a little at him- shaking her head at him. Don’t you dare mess with him. She mentally said. And he seemed to read it well thanks to his pout. Juleka glanced back down at the cheese platter and Plagg’s eyes widened with delight, dashing himself towards that as Adrien distractedly asked—

 

“How much do you win when you play with him?” 

 

“Oh uhhh, it’s like fifty fifty.” Juleka shrugged, “We don’t use a timer or anything it’s just casual n’ whatever. Uhh. I can never beat my ma’ though. She’s real good.”

 

“Oh that’s fun.” Adrien smiled a little, leaning on his cheek a little as he played idly with his king piece. It’s pristine marble like texture glistening in the afternoon glow. “Every time me and father plays he absolutely crushes me. He used to let me win as a kid, but, that’s when my mom helped me a bunch. So maybe she was just a good chess player.”

 

“That’s nice,” Juleka said, noting his silence with gentleness, “She was lovely wasnt she?”

 

“Yeah,”

 

“You start the game by the way.”

 

“Oh! Right.” Adrien placed a piece down. Juleka hummed. Placing a random piece forward. Knights were cute. Little pony’s. Rose always wanted to move her knights cause they reminded her of unicorns. It was cute.

 

“See— I know what everything does. But it’s always so hard to plan much besides like, my very next move, and that’s usually in the moment.” Juleka chuckled. Adrien hummed. He had a pawn out and, cautiously pushed forward another pawn. Fair.

 

“Father said you’re supposed to strategize. To know how each move can change your entire course of events depending on anything your opponent does.” Adrien tapped his fingers to his lips. “To imagine any, any, situation and prepare a decision for it.”

 

“I know that sorta person. They’re good at this game. Usually.” Juleka pushed a pawn forward. Adrien paused. And Juleka shrugged at the fact it was the one mirror to his. He probably thought it was some strategy she just wanted to make it fair.

 

His eyebrows furrowed, “Usually?”

 

“Sometimes they overthink it. They expect their opponent to be thinking smarter than they are. Then they’ve lost the contingency for that.” Juleka whispered simply, “It’s a loss then if things are so much more simpler than they seem bigger picture wise, and so much more complicated for each piece than just the player’s understanding of what role they function as..”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I’m messing with you, buddy. It’s just chess.” Juleka confessed. Adrien let out a long breath, whispering a little goofy ‘whew’. Juleka chuckled lightly. She put down another piece. Then he put down his own. On and on till Juleka spoke again, quiet, “I was talking about strategy as a whole. Players are much more complicated than the game.”

 

She took his first piece from him.

 

“Aw shoot.” Adrien hissed. He slumped, chin in hand, “I always feel bad when that happens.”

 

“When the lil guys die?” Juleka motioned him with the pawn. He nodded and she smiled. “Rose too.”

 

“They’re dead, it’s very sad!” Adrien exclaimed. Juleka giggles, putting the piece aside and giving it a light pat on the ‘head’ with her finger.

 

“We can pretend they’re just in jail.”

 

“I guess that’s better,”

 

“Heh, yeah.” Juleka nodded, before lighting up. “Ah shoot. I just remembered I was gonna call Rose! I’ll be right back, dude.”

 

“Alright! Tell her I said hi!”

 

 

Adrien let out a little breath as Juleka’s door closed. He held his face in his hands, curiously staring at the chessboard. Chess was about strategy.. understanding what each piece is beyond its function.. players are more complicated..

 

Huh.

 

It was easier to imagine strategy then. He glances at the board. He could follow Juleka’s logic instead of looking for what the pieces could do. Adrien smiled. That was pretty neat. The pathways to look for were neater that way. He hummed. 

 

He wondered what else he could learn from Juleka..

 

 

“Sorry I’m back.” Juleka popped her head out of the door worriedly. 

 

“Hi Juleka!” Adrien lit up seeing her, smiling brightly as she sat down, tucking her phone away. “I think I’m getting strategy now!”

 

“Huh? Really? From what?”

 

“From you!” Adrien exclaimed beamingly. Juleka squinted at him. She really didn’t get how or why that would occur. And there was a strange look in his eyes now. Huh.

 

“Well I—I’m flattered?” Juleka looked over the board. She tapped her nails on the table, tsking her tongue. She looked up, “Who’s turn was it again?”

 

“Oh my turn, cause you took my pawn!” Adrien pointed at the little guy in ‘jail.’ Juleka chuckled. That was right. God her memory sucked. Or well, her brain just was thinking about Rose for the past seven minutes so her brain got rewired for a bit. She nodded.

 

“Right so—“

 

“So I wanna take yours too.” And she watched as he knocked her pawn out the way, and snatched it up for himself. 

 

“Ooh revenge.” Juleka whistled. He’d been trying to not take any of her’s for a bit. Mostly because there was usually a pawn she’d thought to set up to defend another. Hm. She sent her queen out. “Wanna play a game with me?”

 

“Sure!” He pepped up, before pausing, “Aren’t we playing already? Are you bored of Chess?”

 

“No no. We can still play chess. It’ll be a game in a game. For every piece we take of the other— we get to ask a question, any question.” Juleka hummed. Adrien’s eyebrows raised with surprise. “W- We don’t have to. I just realized I don’t really know as much as a classmate for over a year should know.”

 

“Oh. Well. Knowing info about me is pretty easy when your Wikipedia is super detailed.” Adrien chuckled, rubbing the back of his head. He started to push another pawn forward. “Still sounds fun though.”

 

“So yes?” Juleka did the same.

 

“Sure.”

 

She took a pawn.

 

“Guess I’m first um— I wasn’t sure how to ask but— Why did you invite me to this trip?” Juleka asked, “Was Kagami unavailable or..”

 

“I remembered what you said when the Horrificator happened.” Adrien smiled. Her eyebrows raised with surprise. “I thought it’d be nice for you, and I wanted to get to know you after everything.”

 

“Oh wow, I— I see.” She smiled bashfully, watching him take one of her pawns. She opened a hand, ushering him a little, he thought for a moment before nodding.

 

“On the plane you mentioned knowing English! Do you know any other languages?”

 

“Nah— er- well yes actually. If you count sign. Or um, gaelic..” Juleka shook her head. She scratched the back of her neck, “I’ll be relying on you here.”

 

“No worries.”

 

She pushed a knight forward and took his own.  

 

“Are you actually excited for this whole Shanghai thing?” She asked, looking away from the board.

 

“It’ll be a great improvement for my father’s brand.” Adrien smiled. He pushed a pawn forward. Oh he was trying to get her knight. Her eyebrow twitched and made it back away from where he could— She made it take another pawn, and she could tell he must’ve forgotten it could judging by the wilt in his expression.

 

“But are you excited for it?”

 

Adrien bit his lip.

 

“Of course. I’m not mad about it. Sightseeing will be nice.”

 

“Right,” Juleka watched him take her knight finally. Hm. Adrien stared at her for a long moment.

 

“Where do you disappear during akumas?” 

 

“Wherever I can,” Juleka carefully mused, her eyebrow twitched upwards, “I always end up close anyways though. So I send photos to Alya for the Ladyblog.”

 

“Why don’t you just stick with the group?” Adrien asked softly, before blinking wide. He rubbed the back of his neck guiltily, “Sorry that’s two questions.”

 

“It’s fine.” Juleka reasoned, she thought for a moment and smiled, “It’s cause of the chaos. Being in a panicked group becomes overwhelming.”

 

“Oh, I see.” Adrien said, rubbing his arm a little. And it was like that. Trading words. Questions about hair dye. About test scores. About cats and dogs— girlfriends and cousins— About mothers..

 

“My ma’ bought a movie with your mom in it, once.” Juleka chuckled to herself. “I don’t remember what was in it or what it was called but I just remember we had a movie night.”

 

“Do you remember if you liked it?” Adrien asked, hope in his voice. Juleka smiled.

 

“It was nice,” She said, “Your mother was beautiful.”

 

“Yeah,” Adrien softened, “She was.”

 

“She is.” The two jolted and Juleka had to grab the chess board as Adrien’s sudden panicked jolt nearly sent the set go flying. It jostled in her grip and sighed with relief. She fixed her queen, one of her remaining pieces back in place and looked up from their stalemated chessboard.

 

“Mr Agreste.” She greeted.

 

“Father, hello! Are you finally free to explore the city like you..” Adrien began but his smile soon faded as they only watched the old man fix himself up more. Juleka’s hair bristled. That wasn’t a man who was getting ready for a day out with his son. Adrien still seems to try anyhow, jumping to his feet, “The Bund district is so impressive, father! Have you ever spent time in Shanghai outside of work?”

 

“Of course I have.. your mother deeply enjoyed the sights here.” Gabriel murmured, moving off to check a clipboard. Juleka’s face twitched a little, leaning to try and look, but there was no chance. Darn. 

 

“Then there must be some places you could show me. It would be great to see them together!” Adrien exclaimed with a smile. Juleka looked over at him with a quiet frown. Gabriel seemed to freeze at that. A moment. A pause. An ache in the shoulder he seemed to nurse, before sighing.

 

“I... suppose. But before we do, I have some details to work out for tomorrow's opening night and I’ve been informed of a somewhat dress rehearsal that you must cover later in the evening.” Gabriel began, turning to look at the two teens, “I’d rather those things get done so it goes smoothly for.. us.”

 

He stared at her like he realized she was there. She gave a slight wave but said nothing. Business was business. But Juleka still found silent disappointment in the man. And yet there was a tense expression on his face. Perhaps he was disappointed as well.

 

“Oh. I see. I— guess I'll just stay at the hotel and wait for that then.” Adrien wilted, but a hand found his shoulder- quietly shocking both him and Juleka as Gabriel tried to smile a little.

 

“On the contrary, son. Please take advantage of this beautiful day to walk around with both your bodyguard and your friend here. We might not come back here again for a long time.” Gabriel said with a smile, and then it fell a little. He hummed, glancing at Juleka who nodded, and then relaxed a little- gazing at Adrien. “I'll join you after my work is done. And once the entire opening is done, we can spend more time together before we head back to France. Go tell the Gorilla now. He should be down the hall.” 

 

“R-Really! Thank you, Father!” Adrien gave him a quick hug and dashed out into the hall. Juleka let out a surprised breath she was holding. That went surprisingly well. Cool. Shanghai! 

 

“Ms Couffaine?”

 

“Yes?” She looked up and met Mr Agreste’s more stoney complexion once more. Like a mask had been slipped back on. Her face fell a little. Taken aback by that. Was the facade the warmth or the coldness? She couldn't tell. 

 

“Keep Adrien safe and entertained for me today. I mustn't have any troubles come to him before the tomorrow’s night but if he is in low spirits, it won’t look good during the event.” Gabriel instructed carefully. “He informed me that you are a responsible friend, so I am trusting you with him on a personal level beyond the abilities of his personal bodyguard.”

 

“Y-You want me to entertain him?” Juleka raised an eyebrow a little at the man. She thought for a moment before staring carefully at him, “You won’t be able to meet up with him later huh, is that right? 

 

“I don’t expect to, no. Thank you for your time, Ms Couffaine.”

 

“I think you should’ve told him that. You want someone to help him forget that you said you’d join him. But he won’t forget. He never does.”

 

He stopped walking, turning in his edge of shadow. Juleka stared at him from her seat, playing silently with the white king piece in her claws. She glared accusingly at him.

 

“You keep his hopes up and he plummets every time, Mr Agreste.” Juleka muttered slowly. She held the chess piece tight in her palm. “I do hope it’s simply because you’re not careful with him, and not because you like how much control it gives you when you want him to get something done.”

 

“I am very careful with my son. I care about his safety over all things. He does what I tell him to do because he respects me. I would do anything for—!” Gabriel began, before, suddenly stopping. He let out a slow breath, it hissed through his teeth like a snake’s tongue, before he settled in a calm reverent tone. “—I care about that boy. But Adrien is often sporadic when he gets emotional. I simply want to guide him as a good father should.”

 

Juleka’s hair bristled a bit. But she kept calm. She didn’t like him very much. No.

 

“Right.” Juleka said, offering up her hand. Her ring glittered in the afternoon sunshine that pierced through the glass like a curtain of gold. 

 

He stared at it, and gave a firm handshake. Pulling his fingers away, he lightly stumbled to grab the small object that nearly fell out of his palm. He grasped it, and he inspected the simple king piece with a quizzical stare. Juleka sat up and began her way to the door. She could hear Adrien bounding back through the hallway now— and turned back to stare at Mr Agreste silently. 

 

He was searching for something in her. And she gave him an equally tense look. Before smiling.

 

“Thank you again for this internship, Mr Agreste sir. I’ll keep Adrien safe at all costs.” Juleka said politely. She paused at the door. A moment. A breath. And then she spoke once more, “I hope whatever you’re working on is worth it.”

 

She walked out.

 

 

Fei gripped her hands right at her side. She’d be burning cinders in her mouth if she was anything inhuman right now.

 

“..and so I’ll just graciously do that math for you then— with that temple repair bill, management fee, annnnd what you owe me for those sneakers I so generously gifted to you for free—“

 

She hated him. Fei hated him so deeply. She hated him with all her heart. Scum. Scum of the Earth. The foulest of all creatures. Dick head. Dick head. Dick head. 

 

“—and assuming you don’t want to pay any money to your debt, that’ll leave you with around.. 144 yeun give or take for yourself. I’m sure some crumbs of bread will be worth that. Or whatever you eat. Heh!”

 

“Only 144—!?” Fei cursed, trying to still her growl. But Cash caught her expression quick, his fan coming to snap close in front of his face.

 

“Be grateful I’m giving you that much, Fei. This pile is hardly a pound. It’s the afternoon now and I’ve yet to see anything impressive of you yet. I’m rather disappointed.” Cash’s voice drawled, he paused, reaching his hand out and grasping her shoulder. “I know you can do better.”

 

It felt scalding to feel his hand against her. She hated him. He was everything rotten. Her face burned with hatred, hatred, hatred. But he was all she had. He was the only reason she was still.. Cash’s fan came to tap at the lined scars against her cheek, burn marks so weakly covered by layers of makeup. 

 

“Hm. You’ll need more to cover that up. I hate to see the girl I view as my beloved daughter scarred so horrendously.” Cash tutted his tongue. Fei’s face twisted with anger. She was not his daughter. She was not his daughter.

 

“Don’t call me that.” She bit out, tempted to claw into him and reach him how much it hurt. Cash reeled back calmly and nearly laughed at her rage. He tiptoed around the counter and dared to put his hand on her shoulder again, and beginning to pat her on the head.

 

“Oh Fei, your enthusiasm is just the reason why I love your work. I just have no idea what I’d do without my perfect treasure dog.” He chirped, slowly stroking and ruffling her already unkempt hair. She held back her snarl. Fei had to stay in his good graces. She’d passed out that night. Cash was the only one who saw the perpetrator. But it’d been like this for so, so long and he wouldn’t just tell her. Fei was sick of it. She was so sick of it. She didn’t even know what her debt was anymore.

 

“That isn’t who my father wanted me to be..”

 

“But it’s the one you must become, isn’t it?” It was like poison to her ears and yet her shoulders slacked. Cash grinned. “If you’re to avenge your dear ol dad— you’ve got to make some sacrifices. Or else he’ll never rest in peace. It’s scary, I know Fei. But it’s been nearly four years now, hasn’t it? You’ve gotten used to it haven’t you?”

 

The rage. The boiling. She has. Her anger was like breathing. Haggard, uncontrollable, breathing. Fei grimaced, but she couldn’t still the quietest nod.

 

“I’ve lost people too. And I’ve dealt with the people that took them away. I’ve built my empire. And it’s rewarded me dearly. So I really do get it. That’s why I want to support you. I want to invest in you.” Cash turned her around, motioning around his little paradise if nick nacks and toys. He smiled, squeezing her shoulder. “Your father deserves to be avenged.”

 

“He does.” Fei nods thinly. Everything was burning.

 

“It’s the only thing you can do now.”

 

“It is.” Fei’s lips curled into a growl. Everything felt like smoke in her lungs.

 

“Only I can tell you who it is.”

 

“Why can’t you tell me now.?!” Fei cried out but that was a mistake. 

 

“Cause business is business. And fair is fair.” Cash spat, shoving her forward. Fei stumbled, catching herself with a weak wince against the hard floor. She turned slowly and met his gaze with a hollow glare, hastily standing up. Cash smiled down at her, “The world is very frightening. But there are two things you can trust. Your anger, and me. So do what I need you to do, Fei. You’ll get your debt done eventually.”

 

“Eventually..” Fei echoed distantly, looking down at her hands. All this cruelty could finally pay off.. 

 

“Yes, eventually.” He tipped her chin up with the end of his fan primly and then snapped it open much to her shock. He grinned. “Now go be a good dog and get it done. Yes, yes?”

 

“..Yes. Cash.”

 

“Thaaaanks Fei you’re a gem!” Cash sang, dancing back around the counter with a terrible smirk. Fei’s shoulders slacked. She just had to do a little bit more. A little bit more. Eventually, eventually, eventually—

 

Eventually she could wrap her hands around that murderer’s throat.

 

“Go to the Bund District Fei. I'm sure there will be lots of opportunities there! And I hear there’s some foreigner shop opening!”

 

“Right, right.” Fei groaned, slipping her way out of the pawn shop with a slight limp to her step. She sighed, eyes blinking awkwardly in the afternoon sun before her face darkened with focus.

 

Right.

 

 

After exiting the hotel Juleka, Adrien, and the Gorilla had made their way around Shanghai with what was meant to be quick stepped abandon— but slowed into more of a tourist-like wandering pace. The heat and humidity seemed to sap the strength Juleka thought she always had, and yet, it was all too beautiful to rush through anyways. Everything was so different from home.

 

Adrien had been dragged away a multitude of times both amongst the streets and aside that stretching river for photos and selfies from several overseas fans. Juleka couldn’t imagine being famous like him. Well- she technically was- but Panthera wasn’t on her mind ever. I wonder if these rooftops would be fun to run on. She distantly wondered. 

 

“Hey Plagg, did you have any holders in China?” Juleka had asked at an ice cream shop, eye carefully on Adrien as he got hounded by the owner for free clout. Plagg popped out of her jacket sleeve and grinned at her slightly melting cone.

 

“Meh. At some point. My time in China blurs together.” He took a bite of her order and the two watched it clumsily fall to the ground instead. Juleka glared slightly but Plagg merely just took a bite of the cone instead. “I was hardly let out when the guardians made the ring.”

 

“Why’s that?” Juleka tilted her head.

 

“Heh.” Plagg’s tail curled playfully, “It’s cause the guardians fucked up on the previous attempt to harness the powers of gods. The Prodigious..”

 

“Prodi—what? Does the old man know what you’re talkin’ about?” 

 

“Oh he knows about them. But not the real story.” Plagg grinned a toothy crescent that stretched from one ear to the other. He popped back into her sleeve and she felt him fly up and out of her jacket to sit on her shoulder, veiled in her streams of hair. He smiled at her, “Wayyyy before the miraculouses were made, they made this amulet called the prodigious. It had numerous powers locked by my eight cousins.”

 

“I just imagined Eight Plagg’s and got a mini migraine.” Juleka groaned sardonically, spurring an amused scoff out of the Kwami. 

 

“Anyways. The Guardians abandoned them and their leader Mei Shi in the amulet and chucked it who knows where. As an excuse, they spread the rumor that it was too powerful and dangerous for anyone to use.” Plagg yawned, tail flicking from side to side. Juleka rose an eyebrow.

 

“The truth though?”

 

“Yeah it’s just because no one in that hell hole was physically able to. The Prodigious only let people mentally well and kind use it.” Plagg snorted. “So after that control fiasco, they made the miraculouses have this fucking awful curse which makes us Kwami have to listen to everything and anything our guardian says.” 

 

“How do you know all this? Didn’t you say the miraculouses didn’t exist before them?” Juleka asked, glancing back at Adrien.

 

“Meh. I was still an omnipotent god of the universal understanding of destruction then that wasn’t bound to that jewel snug around your finger.” Plagg shrugged. He twirled over her shoulder. And then his voice was dark, “Not many of even the Kwami remember the truth of all that anymore. But Me and Tikki remember. She remembers why the miraculouses were created and I rememeber the destruction of our freedom, and how delicious it was to watch that fucking guardian temple and all their horrible members get swallowed whole.”

 

“..You’re really dark man,” Juleka stared at him. Plagg smiled brightly.

 

“Ohhhh Juleka! I’m so glad you think so! You’re a real artist you know, you see my vision~!” Plagg purred, paws clasping over his chest endearingly.

 

“Hey Juleka! We gotta head to the dress rehearsal!”

 

“Ah! Coming!” Juleka spoke up, she glanced at Plagg, and then, quickened her step. Guardian temple? Swallowed whole? Sounds frightening. What a feast. 

 

 

There was a large set up surrounding the catwalk that was still being assembled in front of the new AGRESTE shop. Juleka had never really stepped into any AGRESTE shops before. It was like, her walking into GUCCI. It was just too rich for her. She felt out of place. But seeing things still under some minor construction made her feel a bit better over being so close.

 

Close to his side, she watched how Adrien was greeted luxuriously by the crew and practically carried to his own trailer and private special Adrien chair and gifted all these special things that looked like they were made just for him. 

 

Juleka dragged her own chair beside him with a red plastic cup of water and he gave her a long overview over how things seemed to be and would be done. The photo shoot plans around the city. Dress rehearsals. Last minute outfit try ons to make sure things still fit. Overviews of model photos from before. How tomorrow there’d be a catwalk walk to present the shop’s opening and how it’d double with the promotional and—

 

“W—What am I exactly doing then..?” Juleka quietly asked, the quiver in her voice like a tightly pulled string. Adrien looked over at her and his eyes widened.

 

“Oh. Are you nervous about modeling, Juleka?” Well. The answer was still yes wasn’t it. She was more initially interested in knowing what her actual job was but she doubted Adrien knew what interns for this actually did. But still..

 

“Well, a little, always, sorta.” Juleka awkwardly chuckled, rubbing the back of her neck with a slight hitched tone. The idea that such a thing was going to happen was becoming more and more certain— Juleka was still betting on this being a dream but- the more Adrien mentioned the idea of her being a model.. 

 

“Oh.. well my advice is— Just be polite and kind to everybody.” Adrien smiled, “You get me? Nothing to worry about!”

 

“I wish it was that easy,” Her eyes scanned across the ground, the imperfect cracks in the cement. It was a reassurance she wasn’t quite needed here, but the fact she was a nice option that could improve the shoot? Terrifying. Juleka breathed out her tight sigh. “Social situations are my real achilles heel.. But I think I’ve actually gotten a bit calmer this year.”

 

“That’s not bad. After all, you’re so talented in so many other things!” Adrien smiled brightly. He tilted his head a bit concernedly though, “Wait, you said you’ve gotten calmer? Really? You?”

 

“Nearly dying didn’t make me more panicked, if that’s what you’re concerned about, Adrien.” Juleka slowly muttered with a slightly ticked up eyebrow.

 

“N–No no I’m sorry that’s not what I–!” Adrien squeaked, raising his hands. He tapped his fingers bashfully, “Well that is sorta what I was thinking about. Doesn’t sound like something that would make you feel so.. Easy with life.”

 

“The threat of dangerous stuff has always and will always hang over us. The akuma’s I’ve gotten number to,” Juleka softly murmured, tilting her head to the side. She twirled a lock of purple hair between her fingers, before silently beginning to stroke her scarred palm with her other claws. “I’m more so scared about not living than dying.”

 

“Uhh, what’s the difference?” Juleka paused, glancing at the glitter of her black ring.

 

“Mm. Living is– all of this.” Juleka motioned, “It’s my family, it’s breathing, it's seeing flowers, it's playing music, it's being with Rose.” She blushed a bit before continuing, “Losing all that, leaving an impact behind that’s unwell and unsatisfactory. That’s scary. Not getting to choose my last words to the people I love is scary. But dying?”

 

“Dying is bad.” Adrien nodded. Juleka scrunched up her nose. Well it wasn’t preferable..

 

“Dying happens to us all, that’s not bad.” Juleka shook her head, making his eyebrows raise, “It’s the end to everything. It’s guaranteed. It’s secure. No matter what we do, nothing will change that undeniable truth. I’ve gotten familiar with that. Y’know?”

 

“That’s pretty sad, isn’t it?” Adrien asked. Juleka gave him a confused look and so he continued on, “That means nothing matters, right?”

 

“I dunno,” Juleka shook her head with an awkward shrug, “I think it’s like a balance thing. Everything matters just as much as it doesn’t. Nothing that we do will stop us from dying so everything we do will enrich the fact we’re living. We’re so small and we can do a lot.” She held up her ringed hand, “That’s why I think I’ve gotten calmer. Cause I know one day, this'll all end. One way or another. Whether the akumas are gone, Hawkmoth is wiped out, or somethin’ else happens. It’s gonna end eventually. Events, eras of our lives, our mortal time here, relationships, the hurt, the everythin’. And so, the fact they happened anyways is a worthwhile miracle in itself.”

 

Adrien was silent at that and she sighed. Whew, that was a lot of words. Juleka thought, eyebrow twitching as she took the most expensive sip of water in her life. She had no idea that modeling had so much philosophy involved. She hoped Adrien didn’t think she was weird. 

 

“That’s pretty hopeful in a macrabre way,” Adrien finally said, making her eyebrows raise. He looked far. Ever olive eyes trained onto the nothingness before them. “So you’re saying it’s okay things don’t last forever? You’re just hoping things go and end well?”

 

“Yeah, exactly.” Juleka whispered with a smile, she rolled her hand back relaxingly, “I like fairy tale endings.”

 

“Cause of Rose?” Adrien asked.

 

“Probably cause of Rose,” Juleka nodded, already endeared at the thought of her. The blond let out a ring of light laughter, voice hissing out of his lungs like a rattled cage. So performative and yet not. So genuine and yet so controlled. His face warmed with a kind filter, and yet he spoke no lie as he talked on.

“You two are cute,” Adrien grinned, finally looking back towards her. Juleka smiled at that. They were? Her awkwardness must’ve been clear on her face as he let out another chuckle, cleaning on his elbow as he seemed to begin the start of a new ramble, “You know you–”

 

“Ahem. Adrien.”

 

The two perked up, seeing Nathalie awkwardly standing before them. Her expression, already sickly and pale in complexion, looked now only tighter as the energy of uncomfortableness seemed to radiate off of her. She adjusted her glasses, trying not to make eye-contact with Juleka as she turned to face Adrien.

 

“Are you ready?” She asked.

 

“Yes Nathalie!”

 

“Alright come along now, let's not be wasteful with our time.” Nathalie ushered him away much to Juleka’s quiet disappointment. She liked talking with Adrien. But she remembered why she was here to begin with. She sighed, sinking into her chair a bit as she took another drink of water. 

 

“I like him,” Plagg said, popping out of her jacket a little with a smile. “Kid needs our chaos, kitten. We ought to show him more of the ropes. I think we can influence him enough if we try. Chaos recruitment.”

 

“Right, recruitment. Are you just planning to replace me with a new cat because he can afford more expensive cheese?” Juleka snarked, poking the cat deity in the nose. Plagg snickered mischievously much to her amusement.

 

“He needs us, his father won't ever change. You can depend on the consistency in a soft cheese, but in that human being?” Plagg groaned obnoxiously, before sighing, “What I wouldn't give for something to eat...

 

“Ms Couffaine?”

 

“Y— Yes.!” Juleka shoved the Kwami down, seeing Nathalie looking up from her tablet with slight concern. The look simmered away though, settling  back into that same robotic expression she seemed to always herald. 

 

“Are you alright?”

 

“Y-Yes.” Juleka nodded quickly, sweating bullets, “Feeling.. moderately good!”

 

“You’re sure?” Nathalie pressed and Juleka felt guilty. She bit her lip and shook her head finally.

 

“..I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do here.” Juleka fumbly confessed. She twisted her ring, nervously. “I’ve never done anything like this. I want to be useful but I don’t speak any language here so uh.. I just don’t know what I’m supposed to do.”

 

“You’re here to try modeling, is that not correct?” Nathalie asked slowly. Juleka blinked. And, softly nodded. The cold looking secretary just stared long at her and hummed.

 

“Then you should do your best to watch. Take this as a learning opportunity. Observe how things work here on set.” Nathalie directed and Juleka looked up with wide eyes as she mused on, “Admire the cameras. Acknowledge the work even the simplest assistants get done. Watch the way Adrien works his perfection. And do your best to help anyone that needs it.”

 

The two froze as a shout from the side came to their senses. Juleka’s hair bristled as they turned, and they could visibly see one of the many workers struggling to move what was like a trolly of hanging dresses.  

 

“Like that.” Nathalie primly adjusted her glasses, “That man needs help with some of the dresses. You may be able to wear one of those tomorrow if you do well today.” 

 

“R—Really?” Juleka felt her entire body freeze. Nathalie smiled a little and Juleka’s heart jumped in her chest. Oh, wow. That was. All she could really hope for huh..

 

“Now go.” Nathalie threw an employee’s lanyard at her, “Don’t get in anyone’s way.”

 

“R—Right! Um. Thank you!”

 

Juleka stumbled off and that’s what her late afternoon was full of. Doing her best to support all she could. She passed waters, she carried beams of metal around, she counted dresses and suits and sweated a gallon of sweat. It was a lot. And yet in its own way, pleasant, 

 

She’d just finished putting away a beautifully stitched peacock dress in its box when Rose called, and her heart sang to hear her voice, and they chatted long and happily to be in the other’s distant company. 

 

“So how hot is it?”

 

“Pretty damn hot.” Juleka chuckled, taking another swig of her water bottle as she gazed out from the back of what she was goofily calling ‘Camp-Model Boy’ given all the tents and disheveled looking employees. She could see Adrien from here, in what looked like three layers of clothing. She shook her head, “I’m honestly glad I’m not modeling all day like he is.”

 

“But just think! You could be doing that tomorrow with him!” Rose chirped. Juleka eyed the employees with a smile, watching as they shuffled around on their break with smiles and laughter.

 

“Maybe, I...” Juleka hummed, gazing off to the side with a smile before pausing. 

 

Huh. She hadn’t seen that fella before. Had she? She’d been working for what, five hours now? She was sure she’d recognize someone that looked her age, even if that hat was obscuring their face. What were they doing with those cameras..

 

And then her eyes widened.

 

“UhHHHHHH.” Juleka turned around a couple of times, head snapping between the main area and that lonesome table that no one had their eyes on, “E—Excuse me?! Anyone?!”

 

No one was responding back, they were busy. Fuck! 

 

“Jules? What’s wrong?”

 

“UHh. Nothing! I uh—“ Juleka looked back at the table and her stomach dropped when she saw the figure staring back. Sweat rolled down her forehead. And then— she watched them bolt. Fuck. Juleka turned to her phone, “Something came up! I’ll call you back!”

 

“Jules wha—“ Click.

 

Juleka exploded into a run, keeping her steps quiet. She’d hate to cause a ruckus. But she didn’t hold herself back from the chase as the hot wind blew hard against her face and she was just a pace behind the thief with an intent to grab them and their bag— 

 

“Hey not so fast—!” She began but what happened next she really hadn’t planned.

 

Juleka’s eyes widened as she reached out to grab the stranger’s shoulder, only to be suddenly flipped. Her heart raced as the milliseconds finally processed through her. Instinct snapped into her body and her feet slammed hard into the cement. The thief gasped in shock and she simply growled, twisting her arm around and popping a punch aimed for their eyes.

 

It was directed away immediately, smoothly almost. Like her arm had been redirected like water by an impenetrable stone. Juleka tried to yank her twisted arm back, struggling to fight at this angle, but her attacker wouldn’t let go- so there was only one thing to do. 

 

Juleka politely bit her arm.

 

Of course— The stranger shouted with surprise, wringing her hand back to nurse much to Juleka’s slight amusement. The stranger just looked so- shocked? It blew away all her panic. The stranger shouted something in what Juleka assumed to be mandarin and it was definitely something on the lines of ‘did you effin’ bite me?!’ And if it wasn’t uhhh Juleka had no clue. Oh they looked mad.

 

“Sorry! I didn’t know what else to do.!” Juleka flashed an awkward smile. Was that polite and kind enough? She hoped she was doing good here. She really didn’t expect this all to occur. Maybe now she could get a better look of her attacker, her heart was still racing and she really didn’t— dodge now.

 

Juleka side stepped a palm strike coming for her chest, letting out a sharp inhale. Copper met charcoal and Juleka went immediately for a grapple that the pickpocket immediately went to evade, striking one- two- not three- she managed to grab her arm then and twist—!

 

“G-GaAGH.!” They yelled with more pain than she expected.

 

“Sorry about that!” Juleka immediately let go with worry, pushing the stranger away with her hands up. The hat blocking their identity had been knocked off now, revealing a young girl with a cheap looking wig planted on her head. Face looking just around her age or a spell older, and by the look in her eyes— She wasn’t done fighting. 

 

Juleka sweated nervously, she wasn’t ready for this, not as Juleka, but kept her feet moving. She watched as the stranger took in a deep breath, and brought her hands close. One pose— another- and then her hands came to a readying figure.

 

How graceful.

 

Juleka nearly slipped as she charged- but she still got the first hit in; A snapping fist that was redirected once only followed by an expected dirty shin kick, dodged by a dashing and professional sashay. It was a fight of Technique vs Scrappiness. Juleka only wished she had some pocket sand to spray. She kicked once more at the stranger’s shin, finally hitting gold and making her leg buckle for a moment. Juleka hissed, grabbing her by the shoulders with her best attempt to throw the thief against the ground. Maybe she could grapple with her and better deal with her where Juleka could use her size difference to her advantage-

 

Only she didn’t expect the girl to do what looked like some triple cartwheel backflip off of one foot and onto one of the many tables in a perfected, crane-like pose. They stared at each other. Juleka blinked widely at her.

 

“Did you mean to do that?! That was amazing!” She couldn’t help but squawk. The stranger’s eyes narrowed and Juleka kicked herself a bit. She shouldn’t have expected a response, she was in a different country, but the banter made her feel less nervous. More combat ready. And yet it was strange, despite the fighting, right now she didn’t feel necessarily in peril. 

 

But then panic set in when she watched the stranger start to run.

 

“W—Wait stop! Stop running on top of things! You’ll break some equipment or something!” Juleka squawked with worry before noticing how careful the stranger’s quick steps were over the many pieces of cameras, jewelry, and food laid on the table. Huh! How careful of her. Juleka ducked underneath a flying kick with a curse, before seeing the blur of her stranger slip in front of her and deal multiple strikes into her arm- which barely shot up in time.

 

Juleka stumbled backwards and winced. Alright well, ow. Juleka didn’t expect such a serious and glamorous fight. Fine. Juleka smoothed her hair backwards and licked her teeth. Her eyes thinned. And she sashayed forward. Nails outstretched she scraped skin and made it sting, she yanked hair and tugged at jackets as she kneeded into the girl’s gut.

 

A palm suddenly snapped into her cheek and Juleka yelped, taking another smack into her arm that really hurt and then a horrible yank on her employee lanyard that made her yell out with surprise. But she couldn’t just let go without dealing anything back. So she closed her fist and just bashed it into the stranger’s nose. The two let go of eachother with a stumble, breathing heavily as they eyed each other dangerously. Juleka winced, breathing in a heavy wheeze as she eyed over her welt covered arm.

 

“Well that stings…” Juleka hissed to herself, doing her best to ‘rub’ it off. It really stung. Like a snake had bit her in the arm and it’s venom was sinking through her muscles. She nursed her bruise tenderly, tempted to lick it. This chick has moves. She thought, eyes slightly sparkling. So cool.

 

The stranger spat out a wad of blood— Her eyes widened, surprised at the sight. Juleka cringed a little. She didn't mean to hit that hard, and yet she felt that if she hadn't, something worse might've happened. The stranger gave a long look at her, eyebrow raising.

 

"Interesting fighting style." The stranger muttered, wiping away the rest of the blood. Juleka's eyebrows lifted, hearing the familiar sound of French upon her ears. Distinct, but, very well pronounced and much more formal than she thought. "Who'd you learn it from? What's it called?"

 

"Oh! Uh... learned it from my ma," Juleka answered casually, fixing her gloves a bit while taking the moment to stretch her neck. "And it's a fighting style that's called... one that hurts? Yeah."

 

"How articulate.." The stranger noted. “I can see your mother trained you well. Your body is also in excellent shape.”

 

“Thank you, that was just the half of it,” Juleka smiled, before charging again. The air cut by her cheeks as she ran. One— One two— Three! Her strikes wobbled with her strained exhaustion but they were faster with enthusiasm. This girl was good. But she wasn’t dangerous. Not to Juleka’s life at least. Juleka ducked quick under a breeze strike, growling as she did her best to claw forward at her attacker’s stomach- only for her dodge backwards on wind stepped skips. 

 

She’s fast. Juleka thought, impressed. Oh! I should tell her that.

 

“Hey you’re really fast—!” Juleka shouted, before squeaking as an open palm came to strike her face. Shit. Her heart jumped, stumbling backwards in a skid. The force felt like a slap in the cheek, like she’d been suddenly windburned over nothing. Juleka hissed in reaction, but despite her muscles’s insistence to give, she stayed put- holding herself up tensely. “Your technique is neat too!”

 

The stranger raised an eyebrow.

 

“You’re complimenting me once more? Now? Even as we fight?!” They ran to take a jab at her- I’m not ready-! Juleka jumped backwards, doing her best to block and pluck her punches away. Her exhaustion was becoming a hinderance now. 

 

“When else!?” Juleka bellowed, her eyes snapping wide as she saw a hand coming and immediately slapped her claws down. She squeezed the stranger’s wrist in her grasp, and went to grab her shoulder only for her own wrist to be grabbed as well.

 

“You’re a very persistent foreigner!” The stranger winced slightly, irritation flooding her voice.

 

“And you’re a very interesting welcome!” Juleka quipped back, spurring a slight laugh out of the stranger which seemed to surprise her judging by the flicker of confusion going across her features. Juleka sweated, squeezing tighter, “So..  Where’s your fighting style from?”

 

“It’s—!” The stranger’s face dropped a little. Her mind seemed to swirl with distant thought, Juleka figured now would be a good time to rip her hands away but she could only watch as a wave of quiet melancholy went over her features. And then, a deep sorrow. Oh man that was personal. Uh.

 

“Y-Y'know!” Juleka said, snapping the girl out of her senses, “It’s not nice of you to steal from model sets! This equipment is very expensive!”

 

“That’s exactly why I need it!” The stranger barked back, yanking back with a struggling gasp. Juleka stared at her concernedly. The stranger had bad eyebags going on. Looked a bit thin. The side of her face looked strangely warped by some sort of scarring. Yes— She was strong. But this strength v strength fight was just a struggle for her. Too much energy was being wasted on something she couldn’t win. 

 

Juleka’s lips grew taut as she stared. She didn’t want her opponent to be exhausted later, that’d be dangerous and unfortunate considering the situation Juleka suspected her to be in. Juleka couldn’t give up. But she wanted to help. She grunted, holding on tight.

 

“Hey you—“ Juleka began before a sharp pain exploded in her face. Her arms had been yanked to the side, out of the way, and before she’d realized it the stranger had suddenly flipped a leg out and flexibly knee-ed her across the face. Juleka let out a shout, blood spurting from her nose, before being shoved backwards. That was.. clever-! Juleka winced, hitting the ground hard with a painful thud. 

 

It was all dizzy now. All rushing blood in her ears.

 

Fuck. That was unpleasant.

 

Was she passed out?

 

“Shit—“ Juleka did her best to sit up but- her body ached just a bit too much. Back to the floor. Yup. Ow. That’s cement. Ow. Ow ow ow. Fuck. The world darkened. She was a bit scared now.

 

“Juleka! Get up! Come on.!” Plagg hissed beside her ear. Plagg.. she hoped he wasn’t too dizzy.. geegh..

 

“Hey.! French girl! Please stay awake! Keep your eyes open!”

 

Juleka winced. But she did as she was told, and though her vision was blurry, she could see the stranger’s expression beginning to soften.

 

“Oh you’re alive- right— tilt your face down there’s blood. Here, let’s sit you up.” A hand was outstretched to her. Juleka’s eyes widened. A little smile happened across her features as she took it. How nice of her, nicest mugger I’ve ever met. Woowwie.! Juleka thought dizzily.

 

“O-Oh thank you- I—“ Juleka was sat up firmly, kindly, but she felt it when the stranger’s hand left her— Her eyes thinned with a deep darkness and she immediately grabbed hold of the stranger’s jacket and yanked her forward. 

 

Their foreheads crashed together with a painful bloom of agony. The stranger yelled with pain and Juleka flipped her over hard against the ground, locking her arm around her neck with a snarl whilst using her snapped off lanyard to wrap around her opponents wrists with a rope burning sting.  

 

“Not the ring.” Juleka hissed into the pickpocket’s ear. She squeezed tighter, even as her body burned with a pain that was getting too dizzying to hold herself to. “You should not have tried me. You should not have tried that. Give it back.”

 

The stranger cursed, clawing at her arm senselessly before letting go. Juleka’s eyes flicked backwards and watched as a shaking fist came over to her. Juleka opened a hand, eyeing the pickpocket sternly and watched as her ring dropped into her palm. The familiar warmth pulsed in her grip. Safe. She closed her eyes and sighed with relief.

 

“Thank you,” She loosened her hold and instantly Juleka was thrown off with a yelp. Ouch. Fair enough. She sat up a bit, wiping at the blood on her face. She looked back to see the stranger nursing her own wounds with a hiss, not facing her due to- what she could guess- being because of irritation. Aw man. Juleka hoped she wasn’t too mad. That was a good fight. 

 

Juleka looked down and she could see the sunglasses that had been discarded across the ground and gingerly picked them up. Pretty cheap. 

 

“H-Hey you dropped these, sorry I really hurt you there,” Juleka weakly said, limping over to the stranger and offering it forward. The stranger flinched, before, recognizing her belonging and slowly taking them.

 

“Oh.. Thank you.” Juleka flicked her eyes to focus on the stranger. She was just a kid. Her age at least. Her eyes looked so, dark. Full of dark cinder. Burning. Juleka wanted to say something. But conversations were a bit awkward when they were between her and her mugger. It was then that her ears perked at a sudden faraway shout. Oh no.

 

“Security is coming, you should go.” Juleka warned, dusting herself with a pained hiss. Her palms were all messed up. She winced, seeing the group of what looked like some cops, guards, and others- lead by the Gorilla in his massive glory. Juleka sweated, she almost didn’t want the poor girl to be caught. “What to do..”

 

“Are you.. going to turn me in?” Hee mugger whispered. Juleka held her ring tight in her hand, ensuring that it was there. And she sighed and shook her head. 

 

“Uh. No. I won’t be doing that.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Well I—I just really don’t want to, I ain’t a snitch. And you haven’t done any real damage..” Juleka said, running her hand through her hair uneasily. She sighed roughly, tapping a finger to her lips. “I just don’t know how to convincingly let you get away..” 

 

I could fake getting hurt so they focus on me. Oh put they don’t care much about me they care more about her. Maybe.. hm.. Juleka thought, planting her hands on her hips. A little chuckle echoed from behind her, and she could faintly hear the scraping of shoe against concrete. 

 

“That won’t be an issue.”

 

“Huh?” Juleka turned and her eyes widened to see in a sudden rush of wind.. no one. Woah. She blinked slowly, rubbing her side tenderly as she gazed out searchingly. “What a dramatic exit..” She had to figure out something like that. 

 

“Juleka!” A familiar voice came. She turned and smiled— seeing the model running up. 

 

“Oh, hi Adrien. Is the photo shoot over?” Juleka asked, before wincing as the model came in and wrapped her into a sudden hug. Ouch. Ow. Ow that hurt a lot more than expected. Oh but. Warm. That was nice. Actually nevermind. She was sweaty. Very sweaty. Ew. 

 

“Oi. Excuse me— Girl.” Her attention was ripped away quick, looking over to see when of the security guards staring with a slight worry, and more importantly- scarily serious look, “Where did that thief go?”

 

“Huh? Oh.. um. I think she got away.” Juleka rubbed her head a little, looking around. I don’t know where she went but it couldn’t have been far. If I can stall the group a little then she’ll have a better chance. I hope I didn’t hit her too hard. She would’ve patched the stranger up herself if that was the case. But for now— Juleka let out a dramatic groan, “Guhh my head hurts so much. I might pass out..”

 

“Oh no! Someone please call for Nathalie! Nathalie!”

 

Good luck, bad ass thief. Juleka thought, peaking an eye open to the bustling streets. I’m sure we won’t meet again. I mean what are the chances?

 

 

Fei pressed hard against the wall and wheezed painfully despite herself. That was, a lot more than she expected from what should’ve been an easy lick off of an immature photo shoot group. But what sorta French bodyguards were people hiring these days? Didn’t help that some stupid fanboy teens went chasing after her too for a bit.

 

“Well I—I just really don’t want to, I ain’t a snitch. And you haven’t done any real damage..” What kind pity. Fei thought. It was such a weird moment. Real damage. What was that terrifying girl’s priorities? She wondered, rubbing where she’d put her in such a horrific grapple. 

 

Slinking back into the pawn shop, she shouldered the only things she’d prized herself with since then. A half empty wallet, some phone left haphazardly on a table, some silly handmade bag some touristy girl was holding and everything inside it along with her other accessories, a wooden charm..

 

“Cash.!” Fei tried not to sound too pained as she cried out into the shop. Hearing a rustle behind the curtains, she quickly straightened herself. No showing weakness here.

 

“Fei! I was hoping you’d come back! Did you get anything impressive this time?” Cash revealed himself with a preening grin. Fei’s eyebrow twitched as she limped her way to his inspection desk. Opening the bag up, she dumped what she had onto the glowing green glass and he hummed judgmentally, parting away the wallet, phone, charm with tsking insultness. Eyeing the bag, he gestured her to open it and she promptly dumped out whatever was in it.

 

“Well?” Fei asked dryly.

 

“..The wallet has practically nothing in it with an ugly texture no one will want. The charm? Even the dumbest child would throw it away. The phone? Junk.” He moved to the things from the bag, “This phone? Also junk. The bag is alright. This— plush?!” He poked at the strange red doll that had a vacant stare, and he stuck his tongue out, “Geh. At least that can go in the clawdrain… as for these earrings…”

 

“You can sell them as antiques.!” Fei shouted. He raised an eyebrow at her smugly.

 

“I know more about that than you. These things? Are commonplace.” He tutted his tongue, glancing back down at her work. “200 Yuan for it all.”

 

“Are you FUCKING kidding me?!” Fei slammed her hands on the desk and seethed. A movement came from the back but it was fine. She could take that beating again. She was pissed-!

 

“Fei, Fei, honey, sweetie, have you forgotten this morning already? I like you, a lot. At 200 Yuan I'm actually doing you a favor, in memory of the noble Wu Shifu and all he stood for. You really should be thanking me considering how awful you’re doing!” Cash sang with a delightful smile in his horrible tone. Fei grimaced, the ache in her bones awful and unbearable. 

 

“At that price, I'd rather take these things back to that poor girl..” She hissed under her breath. But deep inside, anything that this paid for.. if it just got her one little step forward to vengeance.. she..

 

“Wait.”

 

The shop stilled, as Cash reached out the edge of his fan, and parted through the rest of the bag’s objects. An ID card. 

 

“The person here? That these things belong to. If you find her, your ‘poor girl’ can buy them back.” Cash smiled all too giddily. He leaned close between them and grinned. “Foreigners are dumb and sentimental, they’ll pay any price for their things back if it’s sentimental enough.” 

 

Her eyes slowly widened, twitching fingers reaching out hesitantly as she grasped the ID in her hand. Fei’s heart quivered, tasting copper against her tongue.

 

“Any. Price. Fei.” Cash whispered like a slithering hiss. Fei closed her eyes. To damn another for her own fortune. For her own gain. It wasn’t what he’d want. It wasn’t what her father would want. But. Fei’s eyes opened. Father, forgive me. This is all for you. This is all for you. 

 

“If I bring you the owner of these things and she buys them all back from you, will you finally tell me what I want to know?” Fei asked slowly. A hand came to softly pat her on the head.

 

“Of course, sweet girl. A deal is a deal.” Fei’s body writhed in revulsion at the feeling and yet her entire body was numb with a burning. “And after that, we’ll both have everything we want.”

 

Revenge. Revenge. Revenge.

 

 

“I’m sorry such a thing occurred under our own watch, Ms Couffaine.”

 

“I-It’s alright. Far less dangerous than the things back home.” Juleka tried to jest lightly, though she was interrupted by her own wince as Nathalie dashed her scrapes with another douse of some rubbing alcohol or something that burned too much for Juleka to think about the specifics.

 

“Yeah.. still would’ve been nice for you not to get hurt though,” Adrien hung off the bed with a worried look. Juleka’s face fell a little but she gave a kind nudge at his shoulder.

 

“I’m alright.” She reassured, “That was more of a work out if anythin’.” 

 

“Being mugged is a work out to you?” Adrien stated concernedlt at her. Juleka’s face flattened. Well compared to being thrown around by neon super villains— yeah. But how the hell fo I take saying that back?

 

“She’s just kidding, Adrien.” Nathalie said, letting go of Juleka’s hand. Juleka blinked down and smiled at the work on her knuckles. That was nice. She wondered if Nathalie had medical experience or if Adrien got scraped up as a kid. She chuckled.

 

“Y-Yeah, just kidding,” She looked at Nathalie and there was a silent agreement. Don’t tarnish the boy’s innocence he’s been traumatized enough.

 

“Ms Couffaine? Your other hand? Could you take off your glove for me?” Nathalie said, pointing down. Juleka paused, seeing the glimmer of her ring and the glove covering over her— she smiled awkwardly and hid the wince as she closed her fist. Why didn’t she trust Nathalie now? Uh.

 

“Ah you know what— this one is fine. Just a bit achy compared to the other one being all scraped up.” Juleka pulled it close to her chest, she suffered, trying to hide her wince. “Don’t worry. I’ll just rest it.”

 

“Are you sure?” Nathalie wondered with worry. 

 

“Yup! Positive.” Juleka nodded quickly, watching with a little smile as Adrien placed a small kid’s bandaid on her cheek. She chuckled, “My body is mostly just sore over all. I apologize for the trouble.”

 

“No. We should apologize- I’m not sure if you’ll be able to do any model work in this condition for tomorrow,.” Nathalie shook her head. “I apologize.”

 

“H—Huh? Oh. Right. That was what I wanted wasn’t it.” Juleka muttered. Her chest wilted with disappointment. Flew all the way here for the chance of feeling pretty, and all she became was a bruised bodyguard in a hotel room. Well. That’s what she got for hoping. At least she got to stare at pretty dresses. Juleka forced a little smile, “It’s alright.”

 

“Are you sure?” Adrien asked. What else are you supposed to do? What else am I supposed to say? ‘No, I can totally work! Just shove a clearly injured bitch on stage!’ Juleka wanted to spit. She sighed. That’s mean. Don’t say that, Juleka. 

 

“It’s how the cookie crumbles I guess.”

 

“Right..”

 

A long silence took in the rest of her medical work. Nathalie’s quiet working brewed a slow tension that writhed beneath their skin. Wringing a slow and painful discomfort between the three. Juleka eyed the chess board, unfinished in its game, and untouched in the several hours they’d been out. The white queen stood idle against her own hoard of pieces, protecting the unmoved king with its life, while hers brutally took down piece by piece with the most risky efficiency.

 

“There. Done.”

 

“Yay! We did it, Nathalie!” Adrien smiled, finishing putting one last bandaid on Juleka’s face. Gosh. How many were on her now? She must’ve looked like a mummy at this rate.

 

“Right we— we did it.” Nathalie smiled faintly.

 

“Glad I could lend to the start of Adrien’s doctor career.” Juleka chuckled to herself, spurring a soft giggle out of Adrien’s lips. 

 

“That’s if I ever escape modeling. Fat chance!” Adrien barked out a laugh.

 

“Hah!”

 

“Ahem.”

 

“Sorry Nathalie.” Adrien slumped before holding out his hands in a prayer position, “But because the dress rehearsal is over can we please go exploring Shanghai again? Please?”

 

“It’s getting dark now, Adrien, it’s the late evening, you should be eating dinner soon.” Nathalie said stiffly. She adjusted her glasses, “Not only that— You going out to any restaurants will instantly make a very big scene and also you must stay strict to your dietary plan—“

 

“Marinette’s also in Shanghai. And her uncle is the head of the Thousand Delights restaurant.” Juleka quietly pointed out. The two looked to her and she slowly held up her phone. Marinette’s Instagram. She’d been posting about it earlier. The selfie she took with her great uncle was very cute. She tilted it away, “If anyone’s willing to make specific accommodations I’m sure it’ll be him, since we’re friends with Marinette.”

 

“That’s a great idea, Juleka! Let’s go!”

 

“Well—“

 

“Nathalie please! We’ll bring back food for you! Pleeaaase! Juleka got beat to a pulp by a mugger!” Adrien clasped his hands together. Juleka held up an awkward thumbs up. Nathalie stared at them with a wide eyed and tense expression. A strung out chord. Threatening to..

 

“..Fine.” Nathalie’s composure finally snapped, shoulders slumping with humiliated defeat. Adrien and Juleka smiled at each other. Siiiiick. They couldn’t wait to see Marinette.

 

 

Marinette blinked vacantly, standing in the back alley streets of Shanghai with a paling expression on her face and her entire inventory ghosted from her person.

 

WHERE THE HELL AM I!?



Notes:

Hello hello! I just got back from my trip from Japan! Literally! I just- I- I got back. Today. I finished this chapter on the plane. Anyways! I had a great trip!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! To say that the shanghai is one of my favorite whole 'bits' of miraculous isnt an exaggeration, i actually genuinely enjoyed the special and fei is one of my favorite characters so, I hope you guys could see that.

Cheers!

Chapter 71: Thief

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 

Marinette had been ecstatic to go to Shanghai. A chance to know more about her family, a chance to get to know more about herself. She’d been so excited to see her great uncle again after that disaster of a first meeting where he got akumatized.

 

She’d.. never been confident in who she was as a mixed person. She always felt she disappointed her mom a bit with how uncultured she was. No matter how much her mom reassured her, she never felt Asian enough to be allowed to be proud of herself.. But with this trip they’d been saving up for years, it could be the perfect chance to prove to herself that she.. was.. um.. something!

 

Marinette even got to go early cause of that package mix up, meaning she got to celebrate her uncle’s birthday and get to learn more about him one on one! It was going to be perfect!

 

..If only she hadn’t gotten robbed in the middle of her walk. 

 

She didn’t even have money on her! She just wanted to get groceries! Why me?! Marinette’s mind wracked with terror as she stood alone and disheveled amongst the Shanghai streets. What kind of sick bastard steals from people!? Thieves and criminals were so evil.! Why why why!!?!

 

“Tikki…” She whined on instinct but there would be no conforting chiding from her Kwami because oH GREAT SHE WAS STOLEN TOO. This is my greatest hell. Marinette wanted to cry. I’m completely lost and…!

 

She felt her weightless ears with a cold stomach. I’ve lost the Ladybug Miraculous. Her one responsibility. How did a thief even take them from her very own ears? It felt unreal. It felt unfair. Horrible. Awful. Shit shit shit! Marinette was about to sob there. I’m going to be homeless, miraculous-less, I’m going to have to perform on the streets for money and wander through the streets lost and hungry until I eventually die in a trash can.!

 

Marinette was completely calm, could you tell? 

 

God I wish Panthera was here…. She’s great with people and with finding things… but also she has horrible luck and would probably drop her ring down a sewer grate or something so at least we’d be in the same boat.. Marinette thought helplessly. She sighed.

 

She’d gone through the streets and though the people she met were kind, there was nothing she could do to come close to understanding them. Her Mandarin even made some of them laugh. It was humiliating, especially when some turned to English which was one of her worst subjects. Being around locals was so much different from her Duolingo streak. She’d gotten a few dud earrings, and they were very beautiful on her own! Looked quite similar to what Tikki had disguised her own as, but that only made her miss them more.

 

She felt useless. She felt helpless. 

 

And then her worst fear.

 

Someone was shouting.

 

Someone was shouting at her.

 

“Shit!” Marinette just ran. 

 

She didn’t care to look back because if there was anything she knew in Mandarin it was ‘come here’ and she was ABSOLUTELY NOT DOING THAT! Kidnapping? Kid-No-Go! Why couldn’t anyone save her!? Someone please! She was so desperate! WHAt THE—

 

The squawk of shock and fright that had leapt from her voice would’ve been utterly embarrassing if she wasn’t already in such a frazzled state of mind. And yet, it all died in her throat when she looked up to see the young girl just her age or a spell older keeping her up on her feet. Eyes of charcoal and the dark.

 

“What the— woah- are you okay?” French. My god. French. Someone could speak French.

 

Marinette had found her.. her Shanghai savior.

 

 

Fei had found her.. her cash cow.

 

“Hey! Hey there’s the thief!”

 

Fei looked up and could see with wide eyes that dumb trio of kids that laid as a thorn in her side. Shit. She swirled her head to look the tourist girl in the eyes. She looked desperate. Lost. Perfect. 

 

“Y— Y—Y- You- You speak- you speak—!” Guh. A stuttery one, was she?

 

“Yes, I speak French.” Fei comforted her, smiling bright. Don’t lose her now! She thought, grabbing the girl’s hand quickly. “Follow me! I'll keep you safe!'

 

They yanked the girl along into a sudden dash. Her muscles burned from earlier that day but she did her best to harness a new courageous second wind. Salvation. Justice. Soon. Just keep this girl safe, and you’ll finally have everything you’ve wanted for three long years. These streets were unkind. People were heartless without morals. Kindness was second nature. But Fei finally could be free from it all—! She—!

 

—Slid to a stop.

 

“This way!”

 

Fei squeezed the girl’s hand tight and they dove into a dark alleyway with a bunch of boxes and abandoned crates on either side of them. She threw her girl forward and immediately started to collapse some of the debris to block the alley off.

 

“Go go go!”

 

They continued down the alley, and Fei could hear the sounds of teenage goons soon fade away into just a distant memory. Soon, they burst out of the alleyway into the emptier clearer streets afar. Fei sighed. She recognized this place they’d, they’d be safe. At least for a few moments. Jeez. What a bother. Now all she needed to do was somehow get this girl to Cash.

 

A sniffle interrupted her thoughts, and her head snapped around with concern.

 

“W—What is happening, why are you crying? Are you alright? Are you—“ Fei began to suddenly worry, “Crap, are you hurt?” Don’t care about her, don't care about her, she's just your ticket out of hell.

 

“I—I'm just so glad I found someone who understands what I'm saying!” The girl blubbered gleefully, hands smudging at her tear ridden face. “People here are so nice, but it's been impossible to explain my situation to them.!”

 

“Oh no. Your situation? You’re in a situation?” Fei’s eyebrows raised. She glanced away, and put a hand on her chest for more emphasis. And flashed a sincere look, “I’m sure how I can help. Tell me what happened to you.”

 

“S—So okay so my name is Marinette. And I came here from Paris to visit my great uncle for his 60th birthday cause my parents couldn’t make it and—“ She began to babble. 

 

Fei bit back a slight eye roll. Oh cool. Whole story. But, she couldn’t help but listen intently as the girl began to spew more and more details that made the tension in her shoulders.. soften, slightly.

 

“I just want to make my mom proud really, all her values and culture are here and I just never really understood for so long.” Marinette sighed, hands balling over her face. She sniffed, “But then, when I was trying to get special ingredients for my uncle— Some awful thief stole all the things on me! My purse, my phone, my necklace, my precious precious earrings..!”

 

Well those were two ‘preciouse’s. Fei’s eyebrows raised and zoned in on that quickly. Got it. She almost smirked but was halted by this ring of pain that rippled in her chest. She felt for her empty wrist– No. It’s just business. Fei reminded herself only to be shocked when Marinette opened her palm and revealed a pair of identical earrings instead. Her eyes widened. What.

 

“W—Wait?! How’d you find them?!” Shit slip of the tongue. But Marinette didn’t seem to catch it, thank god, as she merely sagged with disappointment.

 

“No, a nice old lady gave those to me. They’re pretty, and look just like them, but they’re not the ones I want. They’re just not the same.” Marinette grumbled, she put them back in her pocket. Fei stared at her long, reading every one of her features like the pages of a book. A girl who just wanted to come here to learn the values and stories from her family.. how lucky that she still had the chance to. 

 

“So those earrings huh? They have... sentimental value don’t they? Expensive? A special trip maybe?” Fei hummed, slowly easing Marinette to her side with her hand on her shoulder. Marinette shook her head numbly.

 

“I was gifted with them.. by someone who trusted their entire life into giving them to me. It was one of his prized possessions, that he carried with all his life and swore to protect.” Marinette whispered and suddenly that hot fire in Fei’s chest began to burn through. Marinette’s head hung low. “I’d do anything to get them back. Anything.”

 

A deeply sentimental person with an extreme look of right and wrong, good and evil. Those were easy to trick. And yet it only made Fei frown. Fuck. Was she doing this to this poor girl? She had to. But— She had to. Fei flashed a plastic smile.

 

“Oh, Marinette. I also had some special jewelry stolen from me. One that someone close had entrusted me with. And just like you, I want it back at any cost.” Fei pat Marinette in the shoulder sympathetically. Her face drifted, “Any cost..”

 

“So you get it!” Marinette’s head snapped up with glee. Fei smiled thinly, her eyes felt so heavy, everything felt numb staring at her. And yet she was quick and attentive when Marinette clasped her hands together, pleading, “Will you help me?”

 

“Of course. We’re the same, you and I. That’s why I want to support you.” Fei took her hand and held it tight in a shake, she smiled toothily at Marinette, “I want to invest in you.”

 

“Oh thank you! Thank you! Thank you!”

 

I’m not lying when I say that. I feel the same way about the things we’ve lost, Marinette. I really do. Fei thought, letting Marinette’s hand go to skip forward to dance with glee. Fei watched with a dead stare. I’ll try and be sorry that you’re part of the plan, but I just can’t think of anyone else but my father and the bastard that took his life.

 

Sorry.

 

“Follow me. I’m certain we can find where your thief might’ve taken your things.” Fei smiled, pointing out of the alley to a rack of bikes. “We can take a bike. I thought of something about your earrings. I know a street filled with pawn shops. Maybe your thief tricked one of the owners into buying your things, pretending they were theirs.” 

 

And the farther we go from those guys the better. Fei thought as she led them out, immediately beginning to jack a bike out of its spot. She was sure someone wouldn't miss it. 

 

Fei turned and smiled, she could smell her freedom already, “Come on!”

 

 

The Thousand Delights restaurant was an absolute delight, Rose would say. And Rose did say so! When Juleka sent her the pictures. The atmosphere was warm and inviting, as if the very insides of the shop glowed its own radiance of gold and stepping further inside, it was like getting a peak of quiet history. Photos hung so proudly and lovingly up upon the walls, ornate plates and bowls hung and placed around with decorative charm.

 

It felt like its own museum, every inch of the place breathing some sort of personal pride in its own quiet history Juleka would’ve never known if she hadn’t sought it out. She wondered briefly what it’d be like if she went to.. Nah. She was more interested in visiting Scotland or Ireland if she wanted to do some family history things... 

 

“I’m so glad to have friends of Marinette over, she’ll be so excited to see you both.” Mr Cheng proclaimed excitedly. 

 

“RWAAUCK! SO EXCITED! YES! SO EXCITED!”

 

Juleka held her yelp of shock as the largest bird came shrieking about over their heads. It flapped its gray ashy wings before coming to a slow stop on Mr Cheng’s shoulders. A proud looking– parrot? Juleka wasn’t really the bird expert but it had a funny intelligent look in its eyes. It cocked its head at them.

 

“What an awesome bird! I–” Adrien merely gasped in awe before a feather fell across the bridge of his nose and he let out an egregious sneeze that sent his whole body tumbling forward for a dizzying moment. He sniffed grossly, as the Gorilla handed him a small tissue. Adrien’s face scrunched up painfully, “–Think they’re so.. Cool..!”

 

“Oh you poor thing. I’ll try and keep Bastille out of your face for a bit, I do apologize, he’s my only real employee here.” Mr Cheng apologized profusely, scritching the bird’s chin faithfully. Adrien sniffled once more, smiling all the same.

 

“It’s alright,” He said, as Juleka patted him on the back sympathetically. Poor guy. The chef turned his attention then onto her, looking at her up and down with concern.

 

“Dear girl, are you okay? You look like you’ve been through the roughest of scrapes.” He commented, gazing worriedly over at her bandages and bruises much to her embarrassment.

 

“I– well, yeah I’m fine, I’ve been through worse.” Juleka reassured, holding up a knuckle patched thumbs up. Adrien however, decided he needed to share a little bit more for her.

 

“She got mugged!” 

 

“Oh dear!” Mr Cheng gasped with horror, looking at her with a wide eyed expression. “Are you alright? Do you need to sit down? Is the sky spinning still? Was the sky spinning at all? Who did this to you? When did this happen?”

 

Juleka’s face grew hot with deeper shame, rubbing her slightly battered side with a furrow in her brow.

 

“Adrien.!” She grunted at the model but he just went on with a hug around her other arm.

 

“Juleka here was so brave too, she did it to protect the equipment of my modeling shoot all alone.” Adrien boasted before lamenting, “But now, she has a concussion!”

 

“I do not.” Juleka growled.

 

“You said you had a headache though!” Adrien insisted, “Your brain got rattled from getting knocked around by that mugger! You said you forgot what they looked like entirely! That sounds serious and concussion-like!”

 

“It’s fine. It’s gone. I promise.” Juleka sighed, shaking her head. “Besides, you've never had a concussion.”

 

“Marinette says it’s like that.”

 

“Of course she did,” Juleka rubbed the space between her eyes.

 

“Does my grand-niece get injured a lot..?” Mr Cheng worriedly asked. Adrien let out a soft and gentle chuckle.

 

Adrien looked around, “Say! Where’s Marinette?”

 

“She went out for a short while to get me some things while I was busy. It shouldn’t have been far though. So she’ll be back soon! I.. hope.” Mr Cheng beamed brightly, though the slightest twitch of worry did not shy from his expression. “Perhaps I should’ve insisted I’d walk with her more..”

 

“I’m sure she’ll be fine, Marinette is one of the smartest people I know!” Adrien grinned, clapping his hands together. “I can’t wait to see her!”

 

“Same here,” Juleka smiled a little before a low growl seemed to ripple between them all. They slowly turned to see the Gorilla sheepishly blinking at the group, hand slapped across his gurgling stomach. His face flushed with deep embarrassment, and his eyebrows furrowed with shame. He fumbled with his hands, ‘I’m sorry’ Juleka could begin to read, but Mr Cheng merely laughed softly.

 

“Now, now, don’t be embarrassed.” He said to the bodyguard. He began to travel into the kitchen with a humble pep to his step, “This is a restaurant, it’s dinner time, and you are not only my guests, but also my only customers today. Let me make you all something to eat.”

 

“What about Marinette?” Adrien asked. His eyebrows worrying into a light furrow. “I.. don’t want her to eat alone if we’re all done by the time she gets back.”

 

“Nonsense, we’ll just simply eat more when she returns.” Mr Cheng beamed, motioning his hand over his shoulder, “Now come along, perhaps we can all work together as well. I haven’t had guests in so long.”

 

“Alright! Lead the way! I can’t wait to learn how to cook!” Adrien exclaimed, bouncing after the man. Juleka could hear another loud sneeze erupt from the kitchen. And the muffled trading of words and thoughts about any surgical masks. She chuckled a little, looking up at the Gorilla and could see the quiet beam on his face.

 

“You’re excited for food?” Juleka asked, tapping her chest for a moment before spinning her hands in a circular motion before pinching the tips of her fingers together and motioning them towards her mouth. He nodded quickly, and began to walk after the others quickly. He had his own glow about him. Juleka was growing attached to the guy.

 

..Something felt wrong didn’t it.

 

Juleka glanced outside, running her hand through her hair a little, before pausing at her ears. Her ring glittered in the late wine-hued sunset of the Shanghai restaurant. Was it just how roughly today went or was something truly bad going on, she wondered as the tugging in her chest grew into a terribly quiet yank. It was then that she could feel Plagg rustling in her jacket with a huff.

 

“Come on Jules! I wanna eat already!” He complained, resting his head on his paw before eyeing at her skeptically, “What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing. I’m–” Juleka nodded, and began to walk after them with a hum. “I’m alright, just hungry.”

 

“Maybe it's the concussion.”

 

“I don’t have a concussion, Plagg.”

 

"Sure sure. Keep telling yourself that, Jules."

 

 

“Soooo— Why do you have so many disguises in your backpack, Fei?”

 

“Uh.” Fei was halfway digging through her backpack when Marinette asked that. She clicked her tongue, before flashing the best awkward grin she could, “I... I just got back from a costume party! My friends forgot theirs, so I let them borrow some of my stuff. But they didn’t show up.”

 

“Aww that’s a shame- Oof!” Yeah imagine having friends.  Fei didn't need those. Not when they were either a liability or simply an edge over life. There was nothing else more important than someone's own self in this worth, she understood that now, and friends were a lie to cover the truth.

 

“Keep this on now. So those boys don’t chase after us again.” Fei said, firmly. It’d be bad if that occurred, she thought, readjusting the hat on Marinette’s head to cover her eyes more. Hm. Fei stared quizzingly, tapping her chin a little thoughtfully. A bit oversized, but it was fine– it fit her well. Fei smiled for a moment before her expression dulled.

 

“Let’s hurry.” Fei spat quickly, sliding her own hoodie back over her head. 

 

Don’t get attached to the cash cow you’re going to swindle, Fei. She kicked herself. Fei looked over her shoulder to see Marinette happily following behind. 

 

“Come on, Marinette,” She sighed, “Let’s get back on the bike—“

 

“Woah look at that food over there!”

 

“W—Wait! Marinette!” But she was already running across the street to the stand of steam, smoke, and warm light that hit against the neon cyans and pinks of the freshly rained city ground. Fei inhaled the smell of wet concrete, and sighed heavily, dragging the bike with her as she followed Marinette behind.

 

Getting closer, Fei couldn’t deny that the food didn’t smell good. It made her feel the weakness she’d been ignoring in her bones. Her stomach growled but she willed her face not contort at the sights and options she couldn’t partaken in. She hadn’t had a proper meal in so long.. but she had to hold herself accountable. She couldn’t waste any money that was going into her debt. Meanwhile, Marinette was clearly salivating with the rest of the crowd.

 

Literally, there was like, a string of drool coming from her hanging mouth that looked like it’d been ripped off its hinges. Fei stared at her and clicked Marinette’s jaw close for her— blinking the girl out of her stupor. Marinette grinned.

 

“Feiiiiiii can we get some of this food it looks soooooo delicious!” Marinette said with a pleading whine, clasping her hands together tightly like a prayer. “I haven’t eaten since this morning. I’m so starved!”

 

“If you can pay for it, sure,” Fei tried her best not to mock. Please. I haven’t eaten since yesterday afternoon. Even if the food is cheap I can’t waste my money on something like this. I need to pay my debt. I need to get this girl to Cash. Just because she’s pathetic and lonely and desperate doesn’t mean I should be pandering to her. I need to– Fei glanced back at Marinette but felt her shoulders slack.

 

Marinette was staring at her so.. Trustingly. Marinette was depending on her. She was just this.. Pitiful tourist who had no idea what she was doing. No ulterior motive, she's just hungry. Fei thought to herself, thinking far off as she gazed at the streets. Even when money was tight at the temple, father never hesitated on donating to the needy.. Father always said it was worth it..

 

Fei kicked herself, eyes darkening. Father is dead. We’re trying to avenge him by any means necessary. She tried to remind her foolishness, but felt her will begin to wane. But.. well.. 

 

“Psst! Fei look! Someone’s wallet!” Marinette hissed into her ear. Fei blinked out of her stupor and her eyes immediately trained on a table just a ways away. Just like Marinette said– Fei could recognize a foolishly left behind item from a mile away. She glanced at the hungry Marinette and hummed– slowly making her way over to the table with a backwards glance for safety. No one looking? Good. S he snagged it immediately.

 

“Lucky find, Marinette.” Fei said with a little smile, parting her fingers through the cash and the cards. Fei moved to quickly stuff it in her pocket, “Now come on, lets spend this cash, get some food in you and go–”

“Wait, you're going to steal someone’s money..!?” Fei’s eyes widened by the quickness Marinette went to snatch her wrist. She was shocked. How the heck was her reflexes that quick? Fei wondered and could only fall into deeper stupor when she found her wrist absolutely trapped in Marinette’s grasp– What-!? “We should return this wallet to whoever left this here, Fei!”

 

“But you wanted food. It’s a means to an end.” Fei said, moving to yank the wallet closer to her only to find her hand empty. What. She opened up her palm, fingers opening and closing over what should’ve been the easiest lick ever. Where did it–

 

“Why can’t you use your own money?” Marinette asked. Fei’s eyes snapped up and saw the most confusing sight. There the wallet was. In Marinette’s hand. How on earth did this girl take it? Why hasn’t she taken things sooner? Fei mentally shrieked, baffled out of her mind.

 

“I didn’t bring my wallet with me..” Fei sputtered– and yet there was Marinette– waltzing off and around, carrying that grimy wallet over her head and barking around with her Stiffly Pronounced Mandarin asking around for the owner’s hand with such a genuine pep in her step.

 

This girl is absolutely nuts.! Someone free me from her..! Fei’s eyes twitched, before sighing with disgruntlement- watching as people talked around, waving at strangers across the street. Strangers completely unaffiliated with each other. Strangers with better things to do. Fei learnt better. She had. Kindness didn’t have a price tag, it could not benefit her, it just made her vulnerable- It made her father vulnerable– And yet..

 

“Oh my god, thank you, I can’t believe I left this behind.”

 

“Y- You’re welcome!”

 

“Let me buy you something. Can I buy you one of these?”

 

“U-Uh.. Fei what did he say?”

 

They ended up with their own separate boxes of food. Fei honestly didn’t know what to do with it but just, wolf it down. It’d been a while. It almost made her stomach hurt. It all just felt.. weird to her. Why did this matter? Why’d it all just have to matter. It just reminded her of her father. Everything did. Every kindness, every good emotion, it just made her feel sick to think what happened to him. Even in the good moments, she was filled from head to toe– imagining how she could pay it all back.

 

She could almost cry.

 

“Wow that party you had been at must’ve had terrible food!”

 

“H-Huh?”

 

“Did you not eat dinner?” Marinette asked, pointing downwards, “You ate that all so quickly, you must have been hungry!”

 

“I guess I...”

 

“Here! Have the rest of mine!” Marinette scooped the rest of her portion onto Fei’s plastic plate. Like it was all just.. Easy. “There you go! It was really good, wasn’t it! I can’t wait to try more food when I get home!”

 

“But.. your food!” Her eyes widened with disbelief. All of these damn shenanigans happened just to get food in her and now she’s just giving it over!? What is with her?! Fei wanted to tear her hair out but when she looked up, her heart felt that weakness again at Marinette’s smile.

 

Marinette grinned, “Don’t worry. It’s worth it.”

 

Fei didn’t get it.

 

She really, really didn’t.

 

 

“That should do it. Right? Did I do this correctly?”

 

“You did this fantastically!" Mr Cheng beamed with delight. He put a caring hand on the model's shoulder, smiling at him sincerely, "Thank you so much, Adrien. You’re a big help!”

 

“Y-You think so? Thank you!” Adrien sputtered with delight. 

 

“WrAAwk! Big help! Big help!”

 

“Thank you too, Bastille!” Adrien exclaimed, brushing a finger against the large parrot's dark beak spurring another squawk of delight out of the massive bird. 

 

“So about the Opera House?” Juleka smiled as the old chef clamped his little box of Xiao Long Baos shut and seemed to glow with pride.

 

“Right! So as I was saying, I find Marinette’s love of fashion so very wonderful because her great-great-great-grandfather...”

 

It’d soon turned into a peaceful nightfall at the Thousand Delights restaurant. Juleka resigned herself peacefully to listening to Mr Cheng’s delightful ramblings and watching Adrien learn how to cook from what was probably the most talented Chef in Shanghai. 

 

For a beginner, he took instructions well, and Juleka smiled as his eyes lit up with each soft and gentle note and detail, as the chef and model whirled up what felt like feasts of food for dinner and the coming day. All while Juleka sat comfortably in the corner. Watching the move of every soul in the restaurant and a carefully protective gaze.

 

“WruuAAck! Boomerang! Boomerang!” Juleka chuckled watching as Bastille had long since moved on from the kitchen to smack the tiny superhero miniature in his claws against the one in the Gorilla’s, much to the bodyguard’s chagrin. 

 

“Mr Cheng, will Marinette be here soon?” Adrien asked concernedly, “It’s getting pretty dark outside.”

 

That it was. Though Juleka couldn't quite tell the difference between pitch black or not anymore. She wasn't even sure what darkness felt like before the powers of the cat. Night lights were more of a beacon now in the depths of the night, and the street lamps outside, it looked more like it'd been hours earlier instead of the last breaches of sunset.

 

“Well– Y-Yes I’m sure she’ll be back." Mr Cheng chirped up optimistically, before his voice fell into a more insecure mutter. "She only left for some simple groceries...” 

 

“When was that again?” Adrien tilted his head. Marinette’s uncle hissed through his teeth, checking his phone with a skeptical look. He cursed beneath his breath and managed a small–

 

“This afternoon.”

 

“How come you let her go off alone?” Juleka asked, her eyebrow raising up with worry. It was a concern she'd had from the start, but she hardly wanted to be rude. She was independent as well, even if social situations gave her almost more panic than the akumas she fought every day, but Marinette? Alone? In a foreign country? That spelt disaster in her mind.

 

“I had work— er well. I– I haven’t had a day off in years. I thought I’d have one just for her but, I still found something to suddenly be busy with, and when she insisted on getting the groceries done by herself I– couldn’t say no, she was so hopeful.” Mr Cheng admitted guiltily, wringing his hands around his phone with an anxious sweat drop rolling down his cheek. “I sent her an audio message before you all arrived, I was hoping she’d maybe call or text back...” 

 

“I’m sure there’s still a chance. She just.. must’ve gotten lost! She gets lost all the time!” Adrien tried to reassure like it was some helpful fact. But, so shockingly, that didn’t seem to ease the older gentleman’s worries.

 

“L-Lost.. Lost! She must’ve gotten lost, you're right. Oh god. I’m a terrible uncle.” He began to babble. Juleka’s eyebrows furrowed and she began to stand, gesturing with her hands.

 

“I’m sure she’ll be okay. She always makes her way back when she gets lost," Juleka tried her best to soothe the poor man as much she could. "She might even be trying to do something above and beyond for you, she always sorta does that. It’s half the reason she’s late to things in general.”

 

“Yea! Like that time she was late so she crocheted me a sweater! Or the time she was late to the fair and spent an entire other afternoon to make up for it! Or the time she was late to the beach and brought a bunch of beach balls with her! She’s really nice like that!” Adrien exclaimed, bouncing in place.  

 

Juleka nodded in agreement– But she wasn’t quite convinced either. Even if she could imagine Marinette scrambling around a foreign country far too late in the evening for miscellaneous purposes– there was something in her chest that just.. felt wrong. Her hair prickled on end at the feeling.

 

“She really is that kind to you all? Wow... I have such a kind and caring grand niece,” Mr Cheng wiped a tear from his eye. He patted his face, “Right– I’ll keep calling her, but I hope I don’t ruin any surprise for her.”

 

“Of course. I’m sure she’ll be back soon,” Adrien nodded, going back to cooking with a glowing expression with the old chef by his gleeful side. Juleka’s reassuring smile faded, eyeing the clock with suspicion. 

 

Where was Marinette?

 

 

“Hey, I wanted to ask you something, Fei.”

 

“Y– Yes?” Fei squeaked, hoping the jump in her tone wasn’t too obvious as Marinette held her torso closer. The wind blew softly through their hair upon their shared bike, and she could feel Marinette hum against her jacket with a pleased little smile.

 

“How come you know French so well?” Marinette asked. She tilted her head, “I felt so lucky meeting you, I didn’t even stop to ask or think how you know. I’m so lucky.”

 

More like unlucky. I’m sorry. Maybe it would’ve been better if you hadn’t bumped into me. Fei thought before sighing, and braving her kindest and simplest tone.

 

“My father loved that language, so he wanted me to know it.” Fei started, reasoning that’s all she needed to say and yet, at her breath’s pause, she kept going, muttering on as the image of her father’s smile played out in her mind. Her face drifted, “Besides, his Kung Fu school had lost all its local customers, and he thought he could teach Kung Fu-loving tourists. Heh. It was so silly, but so hopeful... I picked it up much better than he did.” 

 

Fei smiled with the softest of chuckles. And then her smile withered, eyes burning forward. 

 

“...But then his school went up in smoke, and with him, so did everything he believed in.”

 

Everything. She looked at herself in the bike mirror. Her damaged face, her ruined hands that were meant for outreached protection and kind generosity– gnarled into the claws of a thieving demon. Fei closed her eyes, remembering the emptiness of what should’ve been around her wrist, and remembering the emptiness of where her father should’ve still been standing.

 

I will fix this. She thought, but it was hard to convince herself. Somehow.

 

“Not everything: you're still here.” Marinette said and Fei bristled back her own disappointed tsk. 

 

Fei was still here, wasn’t she. But was she? Fei felt her heart wane. How much of the old version of herself that her father knew remained? Was there anything left that could be still called Fei. Or was she just The Dog she had turned into? Cash’s Thieving Hands that had no other purpose but to spill blood? 

 

Fei felt so heavy.

 

She felt so tired of this chase.

 

Maybe it would be easier if she just let it all go.

 

But she couldn’t.

 

It was her job now.

 

It was all that could bring her genuine peace.

 

“No. I've become the complete opposite of what he believed in..” Fei mumbled through her electric breath. She’d been burned away in that fire that night, hadn’t she? That was the only way Fei could reason how far she'd decayed. Fei’s head hung low. What did her father ever see in her if this was who she was now? 

 

“I don't get it.” Marinette huffed, tilting her head with a played up wonder, “He wanted you to be mean and a selfish coward?”

 

“Wait– Wh-What? Why would you say that?” Fei’s eyes blinked wide and unsure. She slowed down the bike at a corner and turned to look back at Marinette in utter confusion.

 

“You said you’re the opposite of what he believed in. And you’re the opposite of all of those things,” Marinette smiled, and her eyes were full of so much shine and starlight. “Fei, you've been helping me for hours now even though you don't even know me, you were super brave protecting me from the kids who were chasing me, and you wanted to steal just to feed me! I don’t condone that but like–!”

 

She leaned closer and held Fei tight.

 

“You're such an amazing person! So like again... If your father wanted the opposite for you...” Marinette led on, spurring a sigh out of Fei’s lungs. Marinette chuckled, “...You should be kinder to yourself. Like how you’re kind to me.”

 

“Right. Right.” Fei tried to chuckle humbly. It was such a warm moment. Fei had, never been told something like that before– not in a long time. Marinette didn’t seem to be able to lie. So all she said– it made Fei feel.. Good. But that feeling was fleeting, when her heart only throbbed with guilt and shame. She kept the bike going, hoping to ease herself away from Marinette’s hopeful eyes. She was such a coward. “I'm not as amazing as you think.”

 

She’s going to be so disappointed in you. A voice whispered darkly in her ear. Marinette hummed.

 

“I’ll be the judge of that!”

 

“Why do you even trust me?” Fei tried not to sound pleading and yet it was so difficult not to let it escape her voice. Marinette blinked, and her eyes were far with a simple smile.

 

“You remind me of a friend.” Marinette simply chirped, before falling into a chuckle, “Just more.. catlike! And purple! But you’re both kind and selfless. So I just knew I could trust a person like you.”

 

“Right.” Fei closed her eyes. Almost there. Almost there. Just bury it down. Just a little more. Just a little more. Just a little more.

 

 

It’d been several worrying hours too many now since Marinette apparently left the house, and the nerves they’d settled before were now growing ever too harsh for their rationality.

 

It was pitch black outside now.

 

Juleka didn’t trust the darkness. Not to someone alone. Not to someone that wasn’t her.

 

Mr Cheng called the authorities. Missing Person. This was probably the worst birthday ever for him, the poor guy— but Juleka had other fish to fry. Marinette. Marinette. Marinette. She was officially missing in their minds now. And they had to find her, even if she was miraculously alright, this was too long now. 

 

Marinette could have gotten lost in Shanghai. Juleka already believed that possibility. But knowing her luck she would’ve stumbled her way back to the restaurant anyways– so what could’ve happened..

 

“Marinette...” Juleka whispered with worry, scrolling her thumb over the worried messages of their classmates that they’d told the news to. 

 

“I can’t sit around any longer.” Adrien declared solidly, sitting up from his couch spot. His hands were balled into fists now, as his face hardened into determination, looking to his bodyguard and Juleka with a look of reckless kindness. “I’m going out to find her.”

 

The Gorilla’s face stretched with fear and he began his frantic disapproval, hands waving to insist on staying here, or staying with him, or or or– and Juleka would’ve maybe agreed with him, it was her job to after all, if she hadn’t agreed with Adrien more.

 

“I’ll go too then. We can all look together.” Juleka said, lifting herself off the couch with a slight wobble. But as she was making their way towards them, Adrien held up a hand, and there was rejection in his chartreuse eyes.

 

“No, Juleka. You shouldn’t come.”

 

WHAT?

 

“What!?” Juleka squawked. 

 

“WRauACK can’t come shouldn’t come!” Bastille shrieked from the kitchen, flapping his wings insistently. Juleka squinted at the foul fowl before turning back to Adrien with appalled confusion. Worry flooded his gaze, and he put a sympathetic hand on her shoulder.

 

“You got really hurt today Juleka! You’re still hurt! I don’t want that to happen again!” Adrien exclaimed. 

 

“But then, you could get hurt out there too. It’s my job to protect you.” Juleka insisted, clasping her hands over her chest. It’s always my job to protect everyone, Her eyes thinned. Her heart jumped with surprise as the looming Gorilla came to place another hand on her shoulder and signed something so..

 

..irritating.

 

“I don’t have a concussion!” She insisted but he merely shook his head in response. Juleka sighed, looking at Adrien pleadingly.

 

“Adrien, I came here because you asked me to protect you. Please let me do that.” Juleka whispered, hand squeezing tight over her heart, “And please let me come with you so I can also find and protect our Marinette.”

 

“I asked you to come to Shanghai because you’re my friend. I wanted you here so you can have fun, so we can have fun. I wanted to get to know you more.” Adrien said, shocking Juleka’s eyebrows to her hairline as his shoulders slumped. “The whole bodyguard thing was just my father’s whole thing.. When I really just can’t stand to see you in danger anymore.”

 

“Anymore..” Juleka parroted. The stage..

 

“Please just stay here and be safe for once, Juleka? You need rest. Please.” Adrien begged. Juleka inhaled. One. Two. Three.

 

“Fine,” Juleka merely said. One note. Her hands fell to her sides, and she idly began to spin her cold ring around her hand. She eyed upwards, “Then I’ll be getting some rest then. I suppose this headache needs some shut eye...”

 

“Oh! We have two guest rooms upstairs..! Where.. Where...” Mr Cheng began to weep into his hands. “Marinette was supposed to sleep if she.. If SHE CAME BACK SAFE..!” 

 

"Don't fall asleep with your concussion." Adrien said worriedly.

 

"I won't. I don't have a concussion after all." Juleka insisted one last time, spurring a short little laugh from Adrien's lungs.

 

She paused.

 

“Be safe please, don’t go too far, I’m sure if you guys don’t find her, somebody else will.” Juleka turned back to Adrien, gripping his hands tight. She held her smile for him before she looked at the Gorilla and nodded gratefully before the two ran out of the restaurant. 

 

Juleka’s trusting smile dropped when they left. Moving up the stairs, she regretted not comforting Mr Cheng as she breezed past the old chef like a shadow drifting against silence– but there was a job to do. Bastille followed her, wings softly beating against the air as she creaked across the old wooden planks before slinking into one of the dusty empty rooms of the Marinette’s family’s past.

 

Juleka took in the room for a moment, a simple bedroom suspended in an old time. She picked a picture frame up and admired the resemblance between Marinette and her then young mother, before placing it back down. Bastille perched against the old dresser with a skeptical tilt to his head.

 

“Going? Going?” Bastille’s beak clicked.

 

“Yeah yeah, bird. And don’t tell anyone! Scram!” Plagg snapped out of Juleka’s jacket with a hiss– causing Bastille to squawk with shock and fly out of the old bedroom in a hurry. The kwami turned to Juleka with a raised eyebrow look of concern. “Are you sure about this? You got pretty beat up today. The blondie had a point. You need rest.”

 

“Juleka maybe, but Panthera? Panthera needs to go out and find Marinette.” Juleka said, clutching her ring tight. 

 

“Even if Panthera has a concussion?” Plagg asked sardonically.

 

“Hey. Juleka has the concussion. Not Panthera.” Juleka snapped at him, crossing her arms sligthyl.

 

“So you admit you do have a concussion! Finally!” Plagg raised up his paws. Juleka’s face screwed and she shook her head insistently.

 

“I don’t have a–! Forget it... Let’s go Plagg.” Juleka slowly moved to the window. She inhaled, and then slowly exhaled. “Our Ladybug is lost in Shanghai. And I gotta find her.” 

 

“I sure hope I’m getting a nice cut of that awesome dinner we were cooking up, that’ll make this pause in our vacation worth it!” Plagg complained.

 

“Plagg! Claws out!”

 

 

The bike came to a slow halt.

 

Fei felt like every molecule in her body was on fire beneath her dull and dying skin. Her eyes darkened as she peered into the neon lit opening. These bricks she’d crumbled upon with spit covered in blood, these alleys she stumbled out of with the police barely on her tail, the people she dragged here herself for Cash’s decisions to become their fate.

 

She held her haggard breath. No matter what happened next, she swore she’d never come back here again. Finally, her freedom. She could almost taste it. The heat in her chest was spreading to her fingertips. Fei was on fire. She was burning. Her final delivery to Cash’s doorstep and she’d finally have her freedom–

 

“Is this it?”

 

Fei blinked back to focus and suddenly she could feel the body holding onto her. Breathing. Just as she was. Living. With blood and life still pumping through her veins. Marinette. Fei looked behind her to see her and it was painful but she subjected herself anyway to gaze at her.

 

“Y–Yes. Yes we’re, we’re here.” Fei managed, looking back to their final destination together with a held breath. The two hopped off the bike and she let it clatter to the street much to Marinette’s slight shock. Fei gave her a quiet and solemn look. And for a fleeting moment, she felt her body weaken.

 

It wasn’t too late was it? Maybe she could tell Marinette to scram and run and get the hell out of here. Maybe she could tell Marinette she wasn’t safe. Fei had that choice didn’t she. She could. She could right now. But— But then what? What about–


Fei’s expression hardened, a dark grief gripping her heart. No, they’d been out for hours together now. They were both vindicated souls on a mission weren’t they. Marinette wanted those sentimental things she’d lost just as much as Fei would kill for her own. That was Fei’s reality. That was reality itself. There was nothing else to it. Nothing.

 

Except– Marinette was so innocent and kind. The kindest Fei had ever met. Oh god. Fei didn’t want to lose her. She was terrified of losing her. She had such a spark. Why was it so familiar? Was it because it was kind? Was it just general loveliness? 

 

Fei can’t remember the last time she was lovely. It felt like sin to tarnish Marinette’s own. But Fei was so ruined and soot covered, everywhere she touched became dirtied and singed now. Why hope to be kind? She was tarnished forever. Why take a step back when there was no justice waiting for her, she had to uproot it herself even if it was by ripping it out from someone else’s ribs.

 

Fei closed her eyes, before pointing out to Cash’s shop. “You search this way and I’ll search that way for your things.”

 

“Alright!” Fei’s hand fell to her side as Marinette bounced past. It was then that her vision blurred for a moment. How odd. Fei stumbled for secureness, steeling herself for what needed to happen, what she needed to happen– but as she lifted her hand. Oh. Fei saw that she was shaking. And– god why was her vision blurring? What was–

 

Oh.

 

Fei stilled.

 

No tears here.

 

There were no tears for her.

 

Fei pushed forward to her fake perusing, her fake smiling, her fake measurements to Marinette, her fake kindness and civility that was only the fleshy mask she’d ripped off of someone long dead to wear. 

 

‘I’m disappointed in you.’ She could hear her father now. ‘You aren’t the daughter I raised.’ 

 

I’m doing this for you, can’t you understand? Is that not the kindness you taught me? You’re gone for a reason. And I will seek that reason out and destroy it with my own hands. Fei’s nails dug into the wood of the building beside her. She seethed through her teeth, nails scraping over her scarred skin. 

 

I’ll never be kind again. I’ve known this for so long. Fei lamented. She itched across her neck, hands still shaking. My skin, my face, my everything has been ruined since you’ve been gone. You raised me but you left me.! I need to do this! There’s nothing else for me to do. There’s nothing else I can do for you.

 

But what if there’s something else. Some other way?

 

There is no life beyond this. 

 

But Marinette doesn’t deserve this.

 

Marinette is inconsequential. There’s nothing else but the blood I need. There’s a pact to be completed. It will be worth it. It will all be worth it in the end. It must. It was promised to her. It was hers to take. It was her justice she was owed. Owed. OWED.

 

“Fei! Fei I found it! I found my mirac- uhm! My earrings!”

 

Fei turned.

 

She held a breath.

 

And the thief smiled.

 

“Woah! Lucky find..!” Fei exclaimed, sauntering up next to Marinette with a sugary-like delight. She looked down. Yep. Right where Cash would put it. Just as they planned. 

 

Marinette took her replacement earrings off with a smile, shoved them in her pocket, and ran into the shop without a second thought. Fei frowned, kicking herself, before moving in after her.

 

This ugly shop full of sin– Fei despised it. Marinette shouldn’t be in here. A voice in her head hissed with a burning rise within her lungs. She’s not safe here. You need to get her out of here. Fei’s eyebrows furrowed in response, shaking her head. It’s not my responsibility. She tried to reason but. It was. It felt like it. She wanted to protect Marinette. 

 

Marinette’s soft voice rang in her head.

 

“Fei, you've been helping me for hours now even though you don't even know me, you were super brave protecting me from the kids who were chasing me, and you wanted to steal just to feed me–!”

 

 “...You should be kinder to yourself. Like how you’re kind to me.”

 

But Fei wasn’t kind. She couldn’t be. Not when this was all a facade. What will Marinette think– Fei wondered, watching as Marinette called for the shadowy monster in the back, lurching out from his cave and smiling with his fangs and breathing with his ashen smoke. 

 

I must know who killed my father. Fei thought, gripping her jacket tight. But what if she sees me and sees who I am. What then? Why do I fear disappointing her? Because she’s who I wish I was? Because she sees me as who I think she is? Is that what?! Unruined!?

 

“H–Hello, sir! I really need to get these earrings back, they're very, very important to me, and I think someone sold them to you by mistake I– I’m willing to pay I just–!” Marinette’s voice, so sweet and charming, now felt like a grating shriek through her ears. Like nails to chalkboard, so hopeful it was torturous.  “Could you please translate?”

 

“That won't be necessary, little girl, I speak French very well.”

 

“Oh. Oh WOW that’s a relief. It’s been very hard to get around everywhere so...”

 

“Oh you poor thing, I can just imagine.” Cash’s voice slithered through Fei’s ears like a noxious smog. He glanced at her and smirked, spurring a low growl from her maw. He just chuckled, and placed a simple pair of earrings onto the table. They looked identically plain to Marinette’s fakes. “So... These earrings are very precious to you then?”

 

“Yes! Absolutely. More precious than anything!” Marinette squeaked. Fei flinched, looking at Cash with a pleading expression. Come on, you said they were just some dinky earrings. Please. Please be merciful to her. Fei silently begged. 

 

“Of course dear. I’d love to give them over, but only if I get my money back.” Cash grinned, snapping his fan wide over his smile. “500,000 Yuan for the earrings. Nothing lower.”

 

Everything suddenly felt cold.

 

Five.. Five hundred thousand..?! Fei’s eyes widened, body beginning to shake. No. No no NO THAT WAS NOT FUCKING FAIR.

 

“500,000 Yuan? Is that a lot, Fei?”

 

SLAM!

 

“YOU BASTARD YOU SAID IT WAS LESS THAN 200 YUAN!” Fei snapped to mandarin– She couldn’t let Marinette hear. But she could hardly think how to articulate in French anyhow. Her nails raked across the glass counter, snarling through her teeth, “THAT'S WHAT YOU SAID! YOU SAID THAT- YOU SAID THAT THAT WAS ALL THEY WERE WORTH!”

“That's the last applied demand, baby: it's precious to her, then it's precious to me!” Cash snapped back smugly. 

 

“That’s too expensive!”

 

“Oh now you’re bargaining for a lower price! You want the secret to your father now. Don’t you, Fei?” She froze. Cash fanned himself slowly, “I told you that if you brought this girl, I’d tell you. That answer was worth a lot of money. She’s paying for it. I only made it equal.”

 

“Fei? Is something wrong?” 

 

“You’re so fucking disgusting, Cash!” Fei ignored her, not watching as Marinette slowly backed away to one of the claw machines to probably hide. Cash leered at her, poking the space between her eyes by the end of his fan.

 

You're the one who robbed the girl, you're the one who brought her to me afterwards!” Cash scoffed, digging a burning claw down her through and unzipping her chest out for what felt like the entire pawn shop to see. Fei felt her shoulders slacken. And she watched him smile once more. “So tell me, which one of us uses people's misfortune more? I’m simply the businessman here, Fei. Finish what you started.”



“I...!” Fei began. No. No this– This was too much. She couldn't. She couldn’t..!

 

“It’s alright, Fei.” A hand clasping her shoulder shocked her cold. Fei swerved around with a panic, and her body slackened as she saw Marinette’s softened expression– only to freeze up with horror once more as the foreign girl muttered two words, “I'll pay.”

 

“B–But that's a huge sum! There’s no way your earrings are that precious–! You can’t accept this! I can’t let you–!” Fei pleaded, begged. She would’ve gotten on her knees if her body let her. She couldn’t be the cause of this. She couldn’t. She couldn’t. She couldn’t.

 

“It’s worth it. I’ll call my uncle and explain everything.” Marinette merely brushed her off though, causing Fei to nearly crash. No no no. Marinette turned to cash politely, “Could I by chance use your phone? I also need the number to the Thousands Delights restaurant. I’ll be really quick, please.”

 

“Dahhh the Thousands Delight. I know it. Your uncle is a great chef! Truly! A famous one too...” Cash preened with false and bitter delight, turning an eye to Fei with a malicious glint in his teeth. He swapped to mandarin, hissing a horrible tone, “Her uncle's restaurant is very profitable. She can afford to pay, Fei. Stop interfering.”

Cash turned and Fei watched as he began to saunter off. Fei felt like she was burning. Burning. Burning. Every hair on her head lit on fire. Smoke billowing in her lungs– This wasn’t fair. This wasn’t fair. This wasn’t fair. She gripped her fists tight. God damn it, think. Fei bit her lip, her eyes flicking everywhere and then– Marinette.

 

Marinette.

 

Fei glanced down and slipped her fingers into the girl’s pocket with a second of thought and lifted them from her inventory without a second to breathe. Her eyes were on the earrings on the table now, and she quickled swiped them in her grasp- holding her smile as she swapped them out.

 

Marinette glanced at her and Fei shoved her treasure in her jacket’s pocket with a thin look.

 

“I’ve got your uncle's number right here.” Cash turned with a smile, placing a small notecard on his desk. “Remember. 500,000 yuen. You two can do all of the talking.”

 

“Thank you so much sir-” Marinette beamed, already punching in the number. Fei clicked her tongue, holding her growl, before snatching the phone up. Fei grimaced and slammed it hard against the glass counter and glowered at Cash’s appalled expression.

 

“We'll find another way.” Fei declared, squeezing Marinette's earrings in her palm. "We'll be going now."

 

“Girl.” Cash held his sneer but Fei had made up her mind. Out. Out. Out. She had to get them both out of her. Now. Now. Now.

 

“But Fei!” Marinette began. Cash pointed at her quickly with his fan. She could see it in his eyes. Control control control. But Fei glared back. Protect. Protect. Protect.

 

“If you don't buy these jewels now, I can't guarantee that I'll still have them later. If a customer wants to buy them, I'll sell them. Or maybe the price of the earrings will go up even more! Either way- you’ll never see your earrings again if you don’t-!”

 

“Fei, I can't lose them again-!”

 

“Believe me, no-one will buy them at that price.” Fei snapped quickly, grabbing Marinette by the wrist and swerving them around. Marinette’s mouth gaped wide with disbelief but Fei’s eyes kept to the end of the shop. Out. Out. Out. They needed to get out. Marinette needed to leave. Fei–

 

“What do you think you’re doing!? You stop right there or else, Fei!” Her steps stumbled to a stop. She slowly turned, panic filling her chest as she saw the darkness bleeding through his eyes. Cash seethed through his teeth, pointing his fan accusingly at her. “Have you forgotten who you are? You work under ME! Your retribution is under MY HELP! You need me! There’s no one else that can help you!”

 

She was all alone. All alone. Fei could hear him let out a slow sigh.

 

“I’m the only one who knows who went after your father. This is your chance to pay what you owe.” Cash muttered slowly. Fei’s shoulders slackened and she watched as his body reeled back with relaxation. Cash’s eyebrows pinched with.. Sympathy? It was sympathy right? All he wanted was to help her.. Cash gestured for her, “That’s it. Just let your girl make her call. And you’ll finally get everything you wanted.”

 

“Fei?” Fei blinked, looking at the Marinette pleading for a moment, before steeling herself. She was constantly burning, but for a moment, things felt chilled. Marinette didn’t deserve to be burned by her hands. Marinette was so pure. Fei needed to, remain her that way. And if it meant this-

 

“I’ll pay it some other time, Cash. If my answer is worth 500,000 yuen, then I’ll aim for that now.” Fei said, before tightening her grip on Marinette’s wrist. “But this girl isn’t paying her things back for that. It’s not worth it for her. It’s not worth it to me.” 

 

Without a second to waste, she began pulling Marinette back along slowly- before reaching the outside of the shop- and burst into a sudden run.

 

Fuck fuck fuck.

 

 

Panthera leered over the edge of the building. The google translated phrase of ‘have you seen this girl’ had played far too many times in her head by now she was almost confident she could repeat it with her own tongue.

 

Her eyes squinted harshly against the brightly stark lights of the city glaring against her. It was bright up here, when she could see so much of everything. Panthera wondered to herself if she’d find any trace of Marinette here. 

 

“God I’m hungry. Can’t we get something to eat, Jules?”

 

She jumped with shock, looking around in confusion for a moment, then at herself, before processing the fact she was still Panthera and still very much hearing and seeing Plagg right next to her. Juleka’s mouth hung open with bafflement.

 

“How.. how long have you been able to just pop out of my ring while I’m transformed?” Juleka asked.

 

“Oh only recently.” Plagg puffed his chest out with pride. “Whenever I go in the ring, it powers you up to retain your transformed state. But recently you’ve been holding on to more magic on your own that I don’t need to be in the ring full time!”

“Oh, great.”

 

“Whaaat aren’t you impressed!?” Plagg whined, looking appalled. 

 

“N- No I am! It’s... actually very nice that you’re here, it’s just that...“ Juleka’s ears lowered, gazing across the whole city. “I wish I knew where Marinette was. This city is far too big to go through in one night, and a lot can happen to Marinette when she’s alone. I’m worried.”

 

“You’ll find her eventually, Jules.”

 

“I hope so.” Juleka whispered, closing her eyes softly as she took in the soft brushing of Plagg’s cheek against her fingers. She sighed, standing up from her perch. Her heart thrummed with the memory of her calming houseboat deck. Rocking from side to side. Rhythmically. And then she was still. Juleka clapped her hands against her face, “Alright, break time is over. Time to go searching again.”

 

“Awww what about food!?”

 

“Once we find Marinette, we’ll finally have dinner, and I’ll make sure to sneak you a bit of everything I eat.”

 

“Aww but that’ll take fooreeeeever!” Plagg complained, spurring a laugh out of the hero as he slunk back into her ring with a zap of green light. Juleka sighed, and then she was off. Where are you, Marinette?

 

 

Notes:

Hi! Sorry for the somewhat delay! I'm back and I'm rearing up to go with another chapter here of Panthera! I hope you enjoyed! Fei is a lot of fun to write after all. Though, I'm sorry if this chapter is a lot shorter than you anticipated.

This chapter was originally going to be much bigger! But I decided to split it in half for time and pacing. So next chapter will be the end of Fei's arc that I hope you found enjoyment in. I'll probably do one more chapter taking place in Shanghai after that, a sorta, shenanigan one, and then we'll get back to your regularly scheduled Paris program lol.

Once again I hope you enjoyed! Make sure to drink water!

Chapter 72: RenRen

Summary:

WELL.

Eyes 30k words.

I HAD FUN WRITING OKAY.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text



Step-step-step-step.

 

Gotta run. Gotta run.!

 

“Fei–! Fei please! Hold on a second! What if that poor man's taken on a debt to buy these earrings?”

 

“Stop arguing! Just keep running!” Fei gasped out. But her body wasn’t letting her go on. Marinette skidded to a stop as she saw Fei collapse into a slight heap against the concrete wall. Marinette tugged but Fei gripped tighter against her grip. Non–n-nononono don’t go. Don’t go, don't leave me.

 

“Fei!”

 

“We have to keep running.” Fei winced, struggling back to her feet with a wobble. Her bruises, her aches, all from the earlier afternoon. It felt like every sin was a chain link tugging her down to hell. 

 

“Fei, please let me go get help!” Marinette begged, clasping her earrings tight. “Or at least return the earrings so I can pay for them! I refuse to steal–!”

“You wanted them-! You needed them at all costs-! It was only right! I stole them for you!” Fei exclaimed, eyes widened with confusion. Why was she upset? Why was she so upset with her!? 

 

“If we run anymore, those men might catch up to us and do something terrible to you!” Marinette gripped Fei with her other hand tighter than she imagined the foreigner girl could. “We can’t just run away forever, we need help!”

 

“The only person who can help us here is me!” Fei bit out. Only one. Only one. Only one. 

 

“That’s naive!”

 

“You’re the naive one who didn’t realize you were being CONNED!” Fei shouted. Her face fell with terror but Marinette’s palling face only seemed to click together to a different conclusion.

 

“That poor man, was he.. trying to trick me? But I just– if he was already– well maybe he had good intentions, he could’ve have just been doing it or doing it sake–”

 

“Of cOURSE HE WAS! NO ONE HERE HAS ANYONE'S BEST INTERESTS IN MIND NO ONE CARES. WE’RE ALL JUST–! ALONE!” Fei shrieked. Marinette stepped back with horror– and she inhaled, gripping Marinette’s shoulder. Innocence. She was innocent and kind. Fei had to protect her. She had to. “Marinette, I'm the only one who can keep you safe. You’ve got to trust me. Please. I promise I'll explain everything. Okay?”

 

A few heart beats went on like the thundering clashes of a storm, before Marinette inhaled, and nodded.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Good.” Fei’s grip tightened, pulling her along. 

 

“HEY! THERE THEY ARE!”

 

“FEI!”

 

Fei turned with shock and felt her mouth dry as two hulking familiar figures began to loom their way into the alleyway. 

 

“RUN! KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU REACH THE LIGHT! I’LL BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!” Fei shoved Marinette forward. The girl squawked with terror, running past the two bodyguards who reached out at the foreigner with the intent to grab her– but Fei wasn’t far behind her- grabbing onto his arm and flipping it into his friend. They fell back into the brick and trash cans, causing them to fall against each other into a dizzying heap.

 

The burlier man peaked one of his eyes open, lip curling up into a deep sneer. Fei remembered the time he broke one of her fingers for trying to steal a swab of food. She remembers how he blamed it all on her.

 

“Brat-!”

 

“I’ve always wanted to crunch your face into the ground, Bo. You look better bruised.” Fei wheezed for breath. She turned to the other of Cash’s guard and sneered.

“I’ll fucking kill–!” Fei crunched his hand with a stomp, sending a shriek from his lungs to the air. 

 

“Fei!” Marinette’s voice called out from outside the alley, Fei swerved around- nerves burning on end before cooling with relief at the sight of the girl’s glimmering eyes. “I found the bike!”

 

“Get on it! Get on it now!” Fei barked, running after her and shoving a helmet on her. Fei jostled onto her seat, only breathing easily when she felt the girl’s arms wrapping tight around her. 

 

“Are we going to my uncle’s?” Marinette asked meekly. Fei opened her mouth to answer but she shook her head.

 

“If they follow us, they might give your uncle trouble when we get there. I know a place we can hide until morning.” Fei replied, turning her eyes to the darkening road ahead. She held a breath, “I promise I’ll keep you safe.”

 

Marinette rested her head against her shoulder, lips pursed.

 

“I trust you, Fei.”

 

“I–” Fei held her breath. “Thank you.”

 

 

Her tail flicked slowly- her focused expression only broken by the blaze of light slowly passing by; that being the cars from below interrupting her midnight brooding– shocking the cats around her with yowls and hisses and the scrambling of claws against stone, brick, and metal.

 

Juleka had been searching for what felt like hours now. Keeping an eye on the class group chat let her know where Adrien was– but it seemed the model had only trailed into just a nook of the giant rabbit hole they’d fallen into. This maze of an unfamiliar city only she could truly traverse.

 

And even then– she couldn’t help but be frighteningly aware of the other factor plaguing her senses. It felt like the world was physically working against her– like she knew she’d been jinxed before but– the amount of cars almost splashing her and newspapers conveniently slapping against her face was getting a bit ridiculous. Why did she have such sudden misfortune?!

 

She also knew that Adrien was spreading the total lie that she had a concussion– which was bound to cause a bunch of problems she could not imagine dealing with right now that involved people getting too worried about her over nothing. Juleka did not have a concussion! She swears!

 

But at least it let her keep a low profile in her deep city excursion now. Juleka’s eyebrows furrowed. She only wished she could find Marinette though.

 

B-Beep!

 

Panthera looked back at her baton, eyes thinning and dilating in reaction to the soft green light. Ah. Good. Her search had to become easier now, right?

 

Alya: Sorry for the late response Jules, it’s just so early over here-

 

Juleka chuckled. Alya couldn’t say that after she was rapidly texting Panthera Noire just a few minutes earlier begging her to go to Shanghai and search for her Marinette. Regardless, She punched her thumb against the keys quietly.

 

Juleka: ‘s alright

Juleka: just don’t tell Adrien im still looking for her. 

Juleka: hes too worried about my health.

 

Alya: I don’t think I’ll have to tell him anything.

Alya: Falling asleep when someones worried you have a concussion, girl?

Alya: You’re not good at lying are you

 

Juleka let out an amused hiss through her teeth. What could she say to that? Eh. Nothing but the truth she supposed.

 

Juleka: well i dont like lying in the first place

Juleka: now how do i find a marinette when shes done a vanishing act?

 

Alya: Well usually when she disappears you’ve got this idea she’ll come back eventually right?

 

Juleka: right

Juleka: shes sorta like a stray kitty

 

Alya: YEAH!

Alya: yeah

Alya: thats kinda cute actually heh i uh anywhahs

Alya: by the fact this is a completely foreign city we’re not uncomfortable with her wandering around in…

Alya: Looking in the trash is always an approach.

 

Juleka: trash?

 

Alya: She falls in trash cans sometimes!! Girl is impressive.

 

Juleka’s ears flattened against her head, tapping her finger to her lip. She wondered to ask Plagg some time if clumsiness was a superpowered add on to balance the godlike power of the Kwami of Creation but- given the fact Marinette had been like this since grade school... This tracked.

 

Falling into trash cans though was pretty unfortunate. Hold on.. Juleka shook her head and started typing again.

 

Juleka:  is that why that trashcan was talking to me that time then??

Juleka: huh. i thought it was just possessed.

 

Alya: omg ok where in shanghai are you even looking 

 

Juleka: im trying to look at the places adrien doesn’t 

 

Alya: maybe you shouldn’t be on a rooftop when concussed 

 

Juleka: dont worry i actually do this super often

 

Alya: be concussed on a rooftop?

 

Juleka started typing- then she stopped. She blinked for a moment. She started to think of every akuma attack ever. Then she glared, typing something new.  

 

Juleka: im not going to answer that

 

Another beep from a different chat distracted her attention. She’d hoped it was maybe some message from Ladybug– if she’d lost her phone that had to mean she maybe had her yoyo right? But.. no. For once she was slightly disappointed to see a message from favorite big brother.

 

bluooby: WHY DO YOU HAVE A CONCUSSION

 

Her face heated up with a hot red. Aw come on Adrien! She wanted to scream, and maybe she did judging by the reactions of the cats hissing around her but she controlled herself, sizzling into a controlled stream of texts.

 

puurblpl: I DONt

puurblpl: THE BLOND SPREADS LIES

puurblpl: LUKA DONT BELIEVE HIM I SWEAR

 

bluooby: YOUR TUNE SAYS BS

 

puurblpl: YOU CANT HEAR MY SOUL THROUGH A PHONE DUMBASs

puurblpl: IM FINE

 

bluooby: you better be okay

bluooby: ma has been worried sick for you since you left yesterday

 

Juleka’s expression immediately softened, bending over her phone carefully as her tail continued to lash behind her with an anxious flick and metal scrape against the floor. 

 

puurblpl: ma’s been worried?

 

bluooby: well.. yeah this is the furthest youve ever been

bluooby: she was pacing so much on the top deck she coulda burnt a hole through the wood

bluooby: shes still asleep right now, we were watching a movie together to get her nerves to calm down but yknow

bluooby: im worried for you too, jules

bluooby: are you sure youre okay?

 

She didn’t want to lie. Not to her brother. Juleka sighed, her ears drooping.

 

puurblpl: marinettes missin

puurblpl: i dont want her to be hurt wherever she is

puurblpl: im not sure how to find her but i gotta

puurblpl: i care about her a lot

 

bluooby: i know jules

bluooby: you’ll find her trust me

bluooby: look inside your heart and follow whatever string of notes it leads you to

 

Juleka sighed, tapping her staff to her forehead defeatedly. Alya’s texts were lines of gibberish at this point. Nonsensicalness of things that were just, not connecting. Things that Alya understood that Juleka couldn’t even start to comprehend–

 

And then she felt a familiar chill run down her back like a claw, before boiling hot to the tips of her earlobes.

 

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

 

Juleka’s eyes snapped wide open. What. Wha. What. What. Her eyes darted down, now lit up by soft green light that flickered across her face with the rhythm of a heartbeat. Her ring. It was.. flashing.

 

“What the– but– I haven’t used cataclysm..” Juleka whispered with confusion, clutching her ring with distress. In another glow- she watched as Plagg squeezed his body out the ring, before spinning over her shoulder with a raised eyebrow. She gestured her hand up at him. “Plagg what’s happening here?”

 

“Oh that’s something.” Plagg said, crossing his paws. “Tikki must’ve told her little bug how to do the thing.”

 

“What thing?” She blinked.

 

“It's like a calling signal thing.”

 

“S-So like an SOS signal or something?” Juleka sputtered. Her eyes thinned, and her voice began to ripple with an intensity. “Is Marinette seriously in trouble? Talk to me now, Plagg.”

 

“Eeeeeee- well she could be. Why she hadn’t sent one until now after being missing all night– I have no idea.” Plagg squirmed a bit. His tail twitched. “Maybe she just didn’t have her earrings on until now... no clue why she’d take ‘em off in the first place.”

 

The cat hero’s hair bristled, her hands raising to her earlobes hesitantly. She closed her eyes. She could feel this draw. This instinct. This quiet heartbeat that constantly urged her forward. If she focused, she was sure she could find the source. She was sure she could follow- her heart.

 

These weird chills. This fearful feeling. Is it because– Has Marinette had her earrings off all day? Why? Panthera wondered worriedly. If you’re in danger, Marinette.. I’m gonna be really worried. She thought to herself. Her eyes thinned. Oh god what if she’s been kidnapped. What if she’s been kidnapped by Hawkmoth. No no. Don’t think about that just yet. Don’t catastrophize. 

 

She growled through her teeth. She had to find Marinette now.

 

“Plagg! You don’t tell me enough things!” Panthera shouted with frustration, beginning to run in the direction of her glowing beacon’s guide. Plagg’s eyes stretched wide with offense. He stomped a paw into the air.

 

“You don’t ask enough questions!” He shouted before being snatched back into the ring.

 

 

“Hello dad, I’m home.”

 

They slowly came to a stop in front of the burnt grounds. Fei’s eyes squinted as the smell of rotting and ashen wood came to her senses like a familiar possession. Hopping off the seat and making sure Marinette got off safely as well, she shoved the bike into a bush with hurried movement. 

 

“Alright Marinette, let’s hideout inside– I– What are you doing?” Fei’s voice stumbled into a question. 

 

Marinette’s hands were to her earrings and– no that was just a glint of light. They were just simple black earrings after all those things didn’t have the color to glow. Not even in the brightest of moonlight. But still, something about Marinette looked complete with the look.

 

“Um, nothing,” Marinette turned to look at her, eyebrows raising for a moment before choosing to slowly shake her head. “I’m just, glad these are back...” 

 

“Then I’m glad I stole them.” Fei nodded steadily, moving up the ruined steps with a subdued haste before she came to a pause. She looked over her shoulder, her expression tightened, urging Marinette to follow. Marinette fiddled with her hands, before relenting her hesitance– and followed Fei into the dark.

 

No one but me has been here before. Fei thought, moving hastily around in the dark decrepit remains of the school. It was a blackened waste. Cash never gave her a home. This was where she slept. Where she curled up in the remains of her childhood bedroom, where she laid buckled and broken and exhausted from the weight of the world. And it was– nasty. 

 

Fei’s eyes darted backwards to see Marinette’s wandering eyes. Does she pity me? Does she even know what this place could even possibly mean to me? Does she understand? Will she? She must. I need her to understand. Fei’s hands shook. I can’t be alone again. How do I get her to stay? To hear me? I–

 

She snapped her hand and hurried off in one direction. T–Tea! Tea. That’s right. Get her some.. Some tea. That’s what a good host did right? When people came to their house. Their house? Was this still her... no no focus.

 

Marinette must’ve been so scared and exhausted she needed her to hear her out and be calm. They both needed to be calm– that was Fei’s responsibility. She was Marinette’s protector now after all. Ha.

 

Fei stared at the cup and kettle by her sleeping bag. Pouring it in, it wasn’t even warm and the thought of whether it tasted good or not came to her head- causing her to grieve over her initial frantic hopes. Man this is shit. Fei cursed. But it was the best she had.

 

“Marinette,” Fei called, catching the girl’s attention. She hurried over and offered the cup out like it was the last of her fortune and treasure. And Marinette reached out and held it like it was the fragilest thing in the universe. Fei watched her drink, and only let go of the breath she was holding when Marinette finished her sip.

 

“Thank you, Fei.” Marinette smiled.

 

“Can I ask something odd, Marinette?” 

 

“Sure, Fei.” She replied. Fei’s teeth curved into her lip, before sighing. She, kicked at the ground just a little.

 

“What’s.. Paris like for you?”

 

“What’s Paris like?” Marinette parroted. Fei shook her head awkwardly, combing her fingers through her dyed hair. It was all she could think of to take away the tension.

 

“Like- what’s your family like? What are your friends like? Are they nice?” Fei fumbled through her words. It was already so awkward she wished Mairnette spoke better mandarin so she wouldn’t have to work through it in French.

 

“Oh!” Marinette’s eyebrows raised. She smiled a bit, “It’s nice. I live with my mom and dad.”

 

“Right,” Fei nodded tensely.

 

“And I have a whole class of friends.” Marinette listed on. “My best friend is this girl named Alya. She’s the smartest girl I know.”

 

“That sounds so wonderful,” Fei smiled weakly.

 

“Paris is currently being protected by two superheroes.” Marinette lit up.

“Superheroes,” Fei raised an eyebrow.

 

“Ladybug and Panthera Noire.” Marinette suddenly got a little twinkle in her eye. She smiled. “They’re... an awesome duo! They do their best saving every person they come across.”

 

“I know America has superheroes but Shanghai doesn’t have any.” Fei said, kicking at the ground a bit. If there were such things, maybe she’d be living a bit differently. Or maybe, her life would be exactly the same.

 

“Fei?” Marinette piped up. Fei glanced over worriedly.

 

“Yes?” 

 

“Can I ask where we are?”

 

“This is...” Fei stumbled in place for a moment, rolling her head back to look high above the crumbling remains. The collapsed roof. The dilapidated and peeling walls, wood splintered and barely held pieces of charcoal and crumbling ash. Untouched by the world for years, only left to rot. “...this is my home. And my father’s final resting place.”

 

“Oh. Oh. Oh god, Fei.” Marinette whispered, voice drenched with a growing horror and sadness. Fei’s eyes closed.

 

It was just that scene.

 

The sting of smoke and embers in her face, filling her lungs with ash, and the terrible wounds that gashed against her skins with ebony burns and singing suffering– And then it burned hotter with rage.

 

“And it was not an accident.” Fei spat bitterly, stalking towards a wall to claw into the rotten frame.  

 

“Fei?” Marinette’s voice barely reached her as a whisper to her ears. Fei’s ears roared with her pounding heartbeat, nails digging harder and harder into the wood.

 

“They did everything to make us leave. Everything! Intimidation, burglary, bribery... And one by one they took everything from us. They took everything from ME!” Fei snarled, before falling into a panicky whimper, “Even the bracelet he had entrusted me with..! The sole thing my father wanted me to protect... his dying wish. And they couldn’t even let me keep that.”

 

“Who are they, though?” Marinette asked. Fei’s eyes squeezed shut once before, before her shoulders slacked. 

 

“I don’t know.” She whispered defeatedly. “Marinette I’ve been searching for... years for answers– For some relief. For some– For a chance at justice. But I haven’t been given a hint of anything…” Fei said, her shoulders slackening weakly with an exhaustion of so many lifetimes of burning in her lungs, “I’m just as in the dark as I was from the start.”

 

Her expression darkened.

 

“...But I’ll always keep searching. Always.” Fei spat slowly, gripping her fist tightly at her side. She slowly peeled a rind of awful wood from the interior of the temple and held it tight in her palm. “And when I find the bastard that took everything away from me...” 

 

She grinded it into dust.

 

“...I will take everything from them.” Fei sneered, there was the fire, there was her resolve. There was her searing need that drove her every move like an engine willing to bleed for power, “I’ll tear their world apart. And then, I’ll kill them myself.”

 

A pause. And Fei nervously looked over her shoulder. Marinette’s entire figure was frozen. What was that expression on her face? 

 

“Marinette?”

 

“Fei- what you just said right now. That was terrifying.” Marinette hissed through her gritted teeth. “You’ll seriously kill someone? Are you just saying that? Is that a figure of speech?”

 

“What? No. I’ll kill them.” Fei sputtered out. Her eyebrows furrowed, and an iciness crept into her tone, “I’ll destroy everything they care about. And if they value their life, I’ll destroy that too. Without question. It’s the only way this can all end.”

 

“But good people don’t kill!” Marinette exclaimed suddenly, taking a step forward. “Killing isn’t worth it, Fei! It doesn’t do any good to–”

 

“My FATHER was a good man!” Fei snapped, her voice shaking. She rubbed her arm weakly, gaze burning into the ground, “And then he was killed. If it wasn’t for his murderer then he’d still be here. Are you saying that that wouldn't be a good thing!?”

 

“When you were talking about getting justice I didn’t imagine murder would be your justice!” Marinette shouted, kneeling down to place her drink by the picture of her father. Fei’s eyes snapped to that, and then back to Marinette.

 

“What else is justice but taking the same amount of what was taken from me against the person who deserves it!?” Fei sneered, “Marinette. My father was murdered in front of me by someone still out there doing bad things. It would be a fucking honor to the world if I ended their worthless life.”

 

“But only bad people should be doing bad things!” Marinette shouted, “Whoever killed your father had selfish reasons. If you can stop their crimes, and then heal the world instead to make it better– you’ll be a better person overall! You can’t kill someone over this though. Or you’ll be just as bad as them. And you’re–”

 

“I’m not a good person, Marinette!”

 

Fei’s voice died on her lips, and only then seeing the shock and tense readiness in Marinette’s gaze that she realized her hands and flew to grasp the other girl’s shoulders in an attacking pounce. Her nails dug hard into Marinette’s shoulders and the realization made her automatically release with a choke in her lungs.

 

“B-But you can trust me! You can trust me.” Fei blabbered weakly.

 

Marinette blinked widely at her, and when Fei stepped back- Marinette’s eyes only intensified in strength. It was- blinding to look at- Fei felt like she was looking up at her now. What had taken over Marinette’s expression to become so- painful to meet?

 

“You...” Marinette spoke testingly, before steeling herself with a smile. “You can always be a good person before it’s too late.”

 

“Before it’s too late.” Fei echoed dumbly. Before it’s too late? Before it’s too late?  

 

“Yeah!” Marinette smiled. Fei’s expression crumbled staring into her hopeful gaze. It’s not that easy. The world is not that forgiving. There was no such reality. There was no such grace. Not here. Not now. Not with what was already done. Not with what was already carved in stone. Not when Fei was already a corpse of her former self. Not when there was nothing else but this.

 

This wasn’t just a goal. It was the last of her soul. The last of her living purpose.

 

“Marinette-” She began shakily, but what came next only chilled her bones.

 

“Nowhere to run, Fei! I knew you’d claw your way here one way or another!”

 

“Marinette behind me.!” Fei shouted. Her eyes were wide with terror and as she yanked Marinette backwards, her teeth bit terrible and true with a snarl upon her lips and a burning in her eyes as she faced greed in his wretched form. “LEAVE US ALONE CASH!”

 

“Ahh so you’re not alone. That’s dangerous, Fei. Who knows what could happen to our poor tourist girl.” Cash tsked his tongue, parting his way into the wrecked grounds like it was not as holy as it was to her. Fei’s face twisted into a scowl, but Cash only met it with a devious smile, “Our good Cash Cow.”

 

“PISS OFF!”

 

“French, Fei. This is a discussion between all of us.” Cash chided, making Fei’s knees weak as his tone turned to one more twisted into the molded shape of a parental admonishment.

 

“Fei- I really can’t be here. Let me go.” Fei’s stomach dropped at that. She looked over her shoulder and could see Marinette standing there with what she could only read as fear on her face. No. No. No no don’t go. Don’t go. I need someone to hear my voice. Please. For the love of god hear my voice. I need someone to know.

 

“No! No no! I can protect you. This is fine.!” Fei tried to desperately reassure, reaching for Marinette’s hand- but she.. Missed? Or did Marinette pull her hand away? 

 

“Is it fine, Fei?” Cash taunted slowly, snapping Fei’s attention back to him. Her lips pursed shut but he pressed again more, “Answer me Fei; is it fine? Is this alllll under your control?”

 

“It is-!” She choked.

 

“It is not. And you know it.” Her jaw clamped shut. Cash stared at her with a smile, “Oh you poor little girl. You’re not smart enough for this entire situation at all, Fei. You’re so lost and unsure.”

 

“Why does he know your name?” Marinette hissed.

 

“Cause you keep saying it.” Fei nearly bit her tongue.

 

“Cause I know her more than anyone.” Cash smiled. He gestured with his fan to Marinette, staring through Fei like she was a transparent piece of glass. He smiled, “Girl I’m so sorry for all the trouble, really. And I’m sure this can be very fairly talked through–”

 

“Your people chased us all night. They wanted to hurt us.” Marinette growled. 

 

“Their mistake, they’re easy to reprimand.” Cash smiled.

 

“Fei told me you’re a conman. And I trust her.” Fei’s lips quivered as Marinette held onto Fei tight. Marinette's voice felt like heat against her shoulder, a strength unknown and yet steely. “Leave us alone. Neither of us have any business with you!”

 

“Tch. Maybe you’re right. I could let you go if you play nice. Or I could take you captive for real. But let us be clear: THAT GIRL RIGHT THERE-!” Cash’s expression warped into a rageful shriek, pointing his fan at Fei like a judge’s gavel, “I OWN HER! SHE IS VERY MUCH MY BUSINESS AND SHE SHOULD BE OBEYING WHAT HER FUCKING KING SAYS!”

 

“F-Fei?”

 

“I- I– it’s not.”

 

“You had a JOB, FEI! And you FUCKED IT UP YOU GOOD FOR NOTHING!” Cash snapped, before smoothing back his anger and coiled back into a pristine smirk, heat barely seething at the surface. “Remember who you owe~! Remember what I’m giving you for her~! I can forgive you very easily right now if you just do what I want. What we want. What your father would want.”

 

“Shut the fuck up–!” Fei cried out, “Marinette block your ears.”

 

“..I don’t think I will.” Fei swiveled around to stare at Marinette and she nearly shattered at her expression. Marinette’s eyebrows pinched, her eyes wide and.. and... suspicious. No no no no. Marinette looked ato Cash, “What are you saying.?”

 

“Marinette don’t listen-!”

 

“So you aren’t stupid! Aren’t you inquisitive!” Cash dared to smile. He then pushed his attention at Fei, expression slathered with a victorious look that Fei could hear the laughter through a silent sneer. ‘Watch me take her away.’ “See, young lady, I may be a con-man but I only make business with whoever I’m given and my reach only goes as far as the people who help me...”

 

“I DIDN’T MEAN TO!” Fei cried out, clawing her fingers through her hair.

 

“...and your ‘friend’ Fei right there has been my most favorite repair of thieving hands I’ve ever raised!” Cash laughed. Fei looked pleadingly at Marinette but only saw the strike of betrayal go across her eyes. 

 

Marinette took a step back, and then another, her fingers raising to her earrings and her expression.. Burning. Fei’s jaw slackened and she nearly fell to her knees. 

 

She sees you as a monster. And it was the first time that sort of expression hurt. It was the first time she’d seen such a look. A look of such disgust and horror. Whoever she’d stolen from, Fei would never see again. But Marinette’s look would stain into her for the rest of her life.

 

Why? Why?

 

Was it because–

 

–She could envision it on the face of her father?

 

Fei’s chest twisted.

 

“I was- please please please Marinette don’t go.” Fei reached out towards Marinette. It was shaking uncontrollably. Where was her strength now? Her face twisted with desperation, “I didn’t mean to trick you.”

 

“If that was the truth then stop trying to trick her now, Fei!” Cash scolded her, tapping his fan to his chin. He turned to Marinette with a curly smile. “Poor girl, you must feel so betrayed. It was really by chance that you were the one Fei here robbed. There was never any intention to target you, in particular you were just unlucky.”

 

“Marinette please–! You have to understand! You heard me! You heard what I said! My past!” Fei cried out. She inhaled weakly, and fell to her knees. Why did it hurt so much to breathe? She wondered helplessly, “I needed to- I had to do this! Don’t leave me alone please you’re the only one who can understand–”

 

“Is that what your father would want.!?” Marinette snapped. It felt like lightning set fire to all of Fei’s veins at that. Her teeth curved into her lip.

 

“It doesn’t matter what he wants.! He’s dead.” Fei hissed weakly, digging her fingers into the ashen dirt and debris. She closed her eyes, feeling the flames of hell flicker against her chest. Her duty. Her debt. “And something needs to happen-”

 

“This path of revenge you’re on would sicken him!”

 

Fei’s eyes widened.

 

It felt like she was shattering.

 

“No. No no. NO. SHUT UP!” Fei snarled. She trembled, shaking her head. But what was there to say? It was true wasn’t it? She always knew this fact from the start. She always carried it with her like her own tombstone nailed to her back. 

 

“I’m going home!” Marinette snapped, holding herself close with one hand to her earrings, “I don’t feel safe here! You don’t know how serious this could’ve been, Fei! You didn’t even think to imagine!”

 

“Marinette please-!” Fei struggled to reel her head up.

 

“Oh girl, do you need someone to drop you off?” Cash asked. “Or will you finally call your Uncle and—“

 

“No! Screw you!” Marinette snapped, beginning to turn around. Fei hissed through her teeth shakily, scrambling to her feet. 

 

“Marinette, I had to steal for answers! I’m in debt to Cash and he said there was no other way!” Fei cried, clutching her churning stomach as acid burned her throat. Her head hung between her shoulders but that was when she heard the steps end. She blinked an eye open and saw Marinette had stopped moving- in fact- she was offering her another look.

 

“Fei. That’s confidential, dear.” Cash said sweetly, before glaring bullet wounds through her chest. “You shut the fuck up before I kill you where you stand.”

 

“He’s the only one who knows who could’ve done it. He’s the only one who took me in when this all burnt down!” Fei said, her heart thundering her ears. The threat was nothing. Nothing to her. She was already dead long ago. She was gonna be left alone again. But she needed someone to know. “He said if I helped him pull off this scam, I could finally know who killed my father-!”

 

“Fei.”

 

“I’ve been searching for so long, Marinette. I had to know. I’m- I’m so tired. ” Fei gulped down her tears. “I couldn’t handle it anymore, I just wanted it to be over with. I was willing to do anything to finally know.”

 

“Even if.. It was stealing.. even if it was hurting someone innocent!” Marinette said. Fei’s eyebrows furrowed.

 

“The truth had a price, Marinette!” Fei began shakily, gripping her jacket tight in her fist. “I had to work for it! There was nothing else I could do!”

 

“Fei!” Cash snapped.

 

“I had to pay Cash in order to earn my answers!” Fei cried out, hanging her head between her shoulders. “There was no other way! There’s no one else who is going to help me in this world!” She inhaled weakly, tears biting at the corners of her eyes. “There’s no one else who can save me from this.”

 

“Yes, well consider that deal done and gone, Fei.” Cash’s voice came to scowl. Fei looked behind her with a tension between her shoulders but she was too tired to resist his tightening grip on her shoulder. His dirty nails digging into the leather of her jacket and seeping to mark her skin beneath. “I’ll be increasing your debt by much more than what was offered for Ms Marinette tonight that’s for sure.”

 

“Don’t touch her!” Marinette snarled. Fei’s eyes shot up, wide and surprised- as Cash stepped back with his own shock. The power in Marinette’s voice was so sudden and new. She sounded so strong. Like something- someone else possessed her. Marinette glanced at Fei, her silvery and focused eyes spurring something within her chest, a strength. “..Fei how much have you stolen?”

 

“I–I’m not sure, I’ve lost count now. I dump whatever I’ve grabbed and I deliver it to Cash’s pawn shop for him to decide the price of. It’s been a couple of years now.” Fei replied shakily, tenderly rubbing her shoulder where Cash had gripped. Marinette’s eyes stared accusingly at Cash, and then back.

 

“Right. Right. And how much do you even owe?” Marinette asked. Fei blinked with confusion. What was Marinette even going on about? She sounded so investigative suddenly. Fei opened her mouth to answer but-

 

“It doesn’t matter does it?” Cash scowled before Fei could speak, leaving her shoulders to slacken. It didn’t matter. Fei couldn’t make a difference. She caused this trouble. She betrayed Cash. Now she was way behind– But Marinette came once more to her rescue.

 

“It does matter, shut up.” Marinette scoffed, crossing her arms. Cash’s jaw clamped shut, a look of frustration glazing over his eyes. 

 

Fei was in quiet awe of it all. This entire night she thought Marinette was just this helpless deer she had to protect. With wobbling legs, she was a fawn in a jungle that had no horns to save herself. But.. she watched as Marinette’s eyebrows pinched into a furrowed focus, and Fei watched as the entire air around he seemed to shift too. It was like seeing someone shapeshift. 

 

Was this helpless and clueless one.. Me?

 

“Fei, is there really no one else who knows who killed your father?” Marinette asked, tapping her finger to her chin quizzingly. Fei’s eyes blinked wide, struck out of her daze. She nodded, a bit slowly.

 

“I– No, there is no one else. Cash is the only one who knows.. He’s the one who took me in after the fire. When I came to, I was in the pawn shop, being nursed back to help after.. everything.” Fei began. She looked down at her hands, softly tugging at the gloves.. Her warped and scarred skin. She looked up- “He offered me my job. And–”

 

“Fei that’s enough. Didn’t you say you were leaving, girl? Why don’t you stick your head out of our business now!” Cash hissed. Fei blinked. And her eyes narrowed. No.

 

“No. Shut up Cash. You keep out of our business!” Fei snapped back. She whirled around and faced him. Why was he striking fear into her? She didn’t owe him that power. She didn’t. And yet it was still hard to keep her breath even around him. 

 

“Do you remember who you’re talking to, Fei!? She’s not the one helping you! I am!”

 

The chains around her wrists always connected to him. He was the one who held her fate in his hands. In a single snap he could shatter her every dream and her every desire to live. That’s why she feared him, no matter what she told herself, no matter how much she tried to fool confidence in herself, but..

 

“I- I trust whatever Marinette is saying.” Fei hissed through her teeth. Her eyes narrowed. She curled her fist tight at her side. “I’m just listening to what she has to say! Why are you so keen on shutting her up!?”

 

“FEI!” Cash shouted- but Marinette intercepted, her voice clear and like a knife cutting through their noise.

 

“Fei,” And she turned, hesitantly and nervous but trusting in Marinette’s pointed gaze. “Have you ever considered Cash doesn’t want you to know who killed your dad? And that he’s just using you?”

 

“I- well- I’ve always known what I’ve done for him has been just a means to an end.” Fei’s shoulders slackened. “He doesn’t care for my father. He doesn’t care that I fight for his memory. I know he’s making business off of what I do for him but.. He knows it's for my goal.” 

 

“We’re in a deal. It’s not a fair one but it’s a deal.” Fei looked up at Cash, his eyebrows furrowing. “I get him the money he wants and he tells me who I get to finally kill. I got impatient today, but he owes me my answer in the same way I’ve owed him my life..”

 

“And I will tell you the answers, Fei!” Cash snapped quickly- and then there was that smile. That snake-like smile that stretched from cheek to cheek, showing his pristine teeth he paid good money for. “You just need to be patient. You just need to keep that anger. You just need to save it. Let it drive you..”

 

“Let it drive me.. Let it fuel me.. I have to..” Fei mumbled to herself. Her anger. Her hatred. That burning, burning in her chest. The furnace that kept her going. How could she forget? That was right. That was right. It was the only thing that kept her alive.. That kept her focused.. that..

 

“Fei.” Her eyes were torn from Cash to Marinette- and the hand holding her’s. Marinette’s eyebrows furrowed, accusingly, tragically, sympathetically, “Have you become so blind by your rage, that you haven’t for one second considered the one who killed your father was.. Him?”

 

Fei blinked, looking over shoulder.

 

Cash’s lips quivered downwards. He gulped, smoothing what was left of his hair backwards before beginning to fan himself.

 

“Well-” He gulped, flashing a smile. “It's your fault for never guessing!”

 

Fei’s entire reality shattered.

 

 

Fei, might’ve blacked out after she heard that.

 

She couldn’t quite relay what even happened beforehand.

 

First Marinette learnt what kind of two faced monster she was. Then Marinette started to stand up for her. Then.. she told Fei something she’d refuse to believe. Something Cash confirmed himself all with that wire-like smile on his face.

 

But maybe it was something she knew all along.

 

All she could process now was the way the ground fell against her hands. It was, grainy. Ashen. Unclean. And yet.. soft. The ceiling had burnt with the fire so that didn’t protect it and the shattered tile from the elements. The ash that had cemented here- the life that grew over it. 

 

And yet the only dead thing in this room was her.

 

It was odd.

 

She kinda thought she’d have tried to wrangle Cash’s neck out by now for killing her dad. All she managed was that kick to the gut that barely sent him stumbling. How pathetic. 

 

Oh.

 

Right.

 

Cash killed her dad.

 

She was working for her father’s killer.

 

For years.

 

Ha.

 

Haha.

 

Oh that was, really fucked up.

 

She looked at her gloves, at her ugly skin beneath, stained with sin and ash. She watched as something wet began to roll down her cheeks and drip onto her knuckles.

 

Fei kinda wanted to die.

 

“Oh, how unfortunate.”

 

Who.?

 

“NO! NO! GET AWAY! NO! Fei snap out of it!”

 

Fei’s eyes snapped wide with confusion as she was suddenly ripped off the ground. Hands were on her. Marinette’s hands. Holding her up on her feet and keeping her standing. Fei’s glove was being ripped off. Her gnarly and scarred palms exposed to the open, cold, midnight air– as Marinette threw it to the ground and stomped on it hard.

 

“What the-” Fei stared dazed and confused. What’d her glove do? But suddenly it was by the time she saw the glove actually rip- a strange coldness that took grasp on her was snapped like a string. Fei let out a sudden breath she didn’t realize she was holding– and the sight of a butterfly fluttering from her glove filled her vision.

 

What.

 

“WATCH OUT!” 

 

Fei held her shout as Marinette yanked down to the ground. The world was just moving too fast wasn’t it. God, Fei was getting dizzy. When her vision finally cleared, she could feel Marinette protectively crouched over her. She looked up hesitantly, and she could catch the look of wild intensity in the girl’s eyes that felt almost inhuman. Following her gaze, Fei was cursed with the sight of a new figure that she’d never seen before- and the warped new form of a monster of her nightmares.

 

Marinette started dragging Fei back immediately, cursing in words that Fei’s father never taught her. But Fei couldn’t stop staring. The tall, well suited man with a butterfly visor and silvery cowl- standing next to the almost  golden Buddha-like warrior that wore Cash’s sinister face. Fei blinked, glancing away from that to eye that butterfly again.

 

So, pretty. So terrible looking. Sickly and almost angry, the way it fluttered and flitted through the air. It just floated there. Like a little condensed smog. That wheezed and coughed with sickness. And there was Marinette’s voice, coming out into a cursed gasp of revolted terror- staring the devils in their eyes and burning her glare like a branding into their leather and gold skins.

 

“Hawkmoth..!” 

 

“Cash..!” 

 

“I feel.. POWERFUL..!” The monster wearing Cash’s face bellowed with a wiley grin smeared over his features. He glanced over at them, and then sneered, pointing his fan at them sinisterly. “It seems our deal truly is useless, Fei. I’ve found a new way to get rich already. My fortune awaits me now, pest.” He smirked, “I don’t need you anymore.”

 

Fei couldn’t help but stumble to her feet and watched as he began to saunter away with the well dressed figure. She swayed and trembled- eyes unfocused before, flicking to the walls- to the broken roof of her home- the wretched condition what was once her entire life was in. 

 

Cash caused this. 

 

Cash caused this.

 

This was all his fault.

 

She found her murderer.

 

HER ENTIRE LIFE LEAD TO THIS.

 

Anger filled her lungs like a noxious smoke. It stung and it burned and it welled up horrid tears in her eyes. She was going to kill Cash. SHE COULD FINALLY KILL CASH. SHE HAD TO KILL HIM. SHE HAD TO KILL HIM. SHE HAD TO KILL HIM.

 

“Fei!”

 

A hand caught her wrist and she wretched it away immediately. Marinette’s eyes were wide with fear. Fei paused, and offered her hand out again- helping the girl up to her feet. Her twisted snarl fell into a somber frown.

 

“Marinette, I’m so sorry,” She whispered, rubbing her gnarled thumb over Mairnette’s knuckles apologetically. 

 

“You did what you had to do. But we need to get to safety,” Marinette insisted. Fei squinted at her. To safety? She shook her head, burning her resolve in her chest. She pulled her hand away- and stared down at her skin.

 

She’d been burned in the fire.

 

Cash never let her forget how ugly she’d become.

 

Fei looked at Marinette and clenched her fists.

 

“No, Marinette. This is my destiny. I’m going there and taking back what’s mine. He stepped into my home and ruined it. I need to end his life.”

 

“To kill someone!? Then what else!?” Marinette shouted, as Fei began to walk away. “Worst case scenario, you’ll be taken to jail for murder! Or the rest of his goons will kill you themselves! The best case scenario is- I- I don’t know!? Become their boss?! Fei! Is this all there is for you? What about your life!?”

 

“THERE IS NOTHING! THERE IS NOTHING!” Fei whirled around, teeth gritted into a snarl. She seethed ash and bloody smoke with every breath– 

 

-And that terrible butterfly, Fei watched it flutter around her, as if it was mocking her, and she waved it off with an annoyed huff. Marinette held a hand out and let it rest on her fingertip, staring at Fei with a contempted pinch in her brow. 

 

Fei sighed, “There is nothing after this. There’s nothing else I have, other than this. So let me just– do what I need to do.”

 

“I don’t think this is right. This isn’t good.” Marinette muttered, staring at the butterfly on her fingertip with disdain. She looked at Fei one last time, tracing her other hand over her glittering earrings- and held her tongue- saying instead a different phrase that smoothed through the ashes around them, “I’ll do what I need to do then.”

 

“After this is over, I’ll return all of your things to you. As I owe.”

 

“Fei-”

 

“Don’t let me in like that.” Fei scowled bitterly. I don’t deserve kindness after this. Not when this place has been dishonored by my own sin and not after I’ve dishonored you. She turned, “Goodbye Marinette.”

 

“I’ll see you later, Fei. Maybe then I can convince you..” Marinette said. Fei’s eyebrows furrowed, You won’t. I can’t let you.

 

The two ran in different directions.

 

And Fei just let herself.. Feel.

 

 

Marinette skidded to a halt behind a column, collecting her breath. Tikki raised out from beneath her jacket and looked at her with concern. Marinette sighed heavily.

 

“So many things are happening.” She groaned.

 

“This reminds me of the dramas one of my Ladybugs had a few centuries ago.” Tikki chirped. She pointed at the little akuma resting on her finger, “Are you gonna eat that?”

 

“Obviously not! Are you- oh you are. Okay.” Marinette’s voice fell into deadpanned shock. She wasn’t even surprised at this point. 

 

After a moment of watching Tikki’s cheeks distend and warp from the living creature in her mouth, she burped and let out a pristine and slightly dizzy white flutter out. Marinette frowned, watching it flutter away, before forcing herself steady.

 

“I have to fix this.” Marinette hissed, she turned to Tikki, “Panthera’s on her way right?”

 

“Yep! With the calling technique I taught you, she should be rushing here now!”

 

“Great!” Marinette smiled, “Tikki! Spots on!”

 

...

 

Fei could feel the wind against her face– the bending of burnt wood changed into the crunching of gravel beneath her shoes- the layer of grime, sweat, and dirt that stuck to her skin. 

 

She ran past the unkept foliage that once made this place almost ethereal that she never could get back into order after years of neglect and climbed up to the entrance of the cave like she was ascending the stairs of heaven to be rejected and fall to the fires of Hell.

 

“That isn’t who my father wanted me to be..”

“But it’s the person you must become, isn’t it?”

 

Fei grimaced.

 

She clawed her way over the slippery rocks and cliffside, before scrambling her way to the mouth of the sacred cave. She wheezed, but held herself strong. This was what her entire life had led to, now everything was on the line-!

 

But when she looked up she felt something in her heart throb with an overwhelming grief. It hit her then she’d never gotten to see the sacred cave for herself. 

 

Her father had always told her she’d show it to her in full. So she’d be prepared for when she became the new guardian. Her greatest honor- She was so excited. Fei’s heart sank. She never got that moment did she. She never got that gift.

 

It made her feel vile.

 

It made her enraged.

 

And there was the perpetrator standing there at the entrance.

 

Her mind only chanted her single mantra and prayer. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. 

 

Everything burned.

 

The world was covered in hell fire. And it descreated everything she loved.

 

“CASH!” She shrieked with lost sanity, charging with reckless abandon. Her turned around and she could see the smirk in his eyes- the smirk he always wore- even now in this distorted sudden worm he’d taken. He flicked his fan out, and she was shocked to see spikes flying towards her.

 

Fei darted to the side, flipping over another three that came shooting her way and reeled her arm out to charge at him with a punch– give him a real dent in his metal sheen- when something gripped the back of her jacket.

 

“You’re wasting your time, little girl. And time is money.”

 

Who is–! Fei’s eyes widened with terror. I just ran past him. I didn’t even process him here!? Who even is–!

 

“Pathetic worm. You were better when you were dumb. But I suppose that’s a trait that hasn’t changed. Now BUZZ OFF!”

 

Fei let out a shriek of pain as a knee came to crash into her gut, before she went flying into the wall. She cracked her head against the rock, and felt her breath shutter away. Oh. God. How it hurt.

 

A sudden pulsing came crashing down onto her as she crumpled against the ground. She swore if she could focus, maybe she could feel blood. Maybe. She wasn’t sure what blood on hers was her own anymore. Fei’s vision blurred with tears and nausea.

 

She could barely see now. Just watched as blurs of rotted purple and horrible golden flickered out from her view, descending into the cavern of her past she’d never been honored to enter. Fei felt defeated. She felt like a corpse that still had breath. But when has she ever not felt like that?

 

Her waking reality was already a hell, she supposed the only thing stopping it from being true was because she had yet to receive her ticket to the ferry.

 

Fei flinched, but she could hardly pick herself as darkness itself began to cast a shadow over her. She blinked her tears away, struggling to focus as that dark blur leered more and more over her. Fiery eyes, burning into her soul, claws and a burnt dusk- 

 

“..Death?” Fei assumed weakly- her voice hardly a croak.

 

It was funny her last words could possibly be still in French, but maybe she was hoping it’d turn out to be Marinette coming to rescue her from the dark again—

 

—However what answered instead was not the warmth of her father’s voice or hell, it was not the expanse of nothingness and loneliness, it was not the voice of god– but–

 

“Sorry sweetheart. I do get that quite often, though.”

 

Fei blinked, and finally her vision cleared. Her eyebrows raised as she took in the visual of a teenage girl, just around her age. Her skin looked scuffed and bruised, and yet beautifully pristine- with tar like hair that curled around her shoulders like a dark lion’s mane with only the flashes of purple to define its shapes.

 

Her eyes, like plucked jade, flickered in the moonlight with the shape of thin needles akin to cats- they demanded her to breathe- they damned her to sit up to attention- and soon the girl’s claws reached out and hoisted her upright. Fei was stared at for a long time, the whisper of ‘you’ coming from the girl’s lips before a Cheshire smile greeted her. 

 

“It’s nice to meet you, mystery girl,” Fei swayed back as the figure stepped into a dramatic bow, “My name is—“

 

“PANTHERA NOIRE!”

 

“Woah did I just get full named? By the one and only Ladybug? It can’t be. It is!” The girl exclaimed dramatically, turning around with a dramatic yet genuinely delighted gasp. She beamed, “Ladybug!”

 

“Kitty-!”

 

Fei leaned against the wall in dizzy confusion- watching as the leather clad figure opened her arms to welcome a young lady in red into a rushed and excited embrace. Who are these random lesbians in my father’s ancient duty cave? 

 

“I’m so sorry I just-! Happy to see you! I just- god- sorry! Oh my god-“ The red dressed girl giggled before forcing herself to sigh, softly smacking the black dressed figure on the shoulder, before her silvery eyes hit Fei, “Back to business, back to business. Oh my god, Fei!” 

 

Fei freezed. THE LESBIANS KNOW ME?! 

 

“Y-Yes??” Fei sputtered. Do I have a concussion? She wondered distressingly to herself before blinking wide. Hold on, wait a sec. She thought, staring at the two. Panthera- and Ladybug? That’s the two heroes from France Marinette had mentioned. She realized. “You're one of the good guys, right?”

 

“Sure,” Panthera smiled lopsidedly.

 

“Yes, we are,” Ladybug nodded quickly, a laugh in the sigh in her voice. She looked at Fei sadly, and took on an expression of strength in her eyes, “We originally came here because a friend of a friend ended up lost in Shanghai. Her name was- Marinette? She seemed to know you given the fact she directed me here.”

 

“Oh, is that so, partner? What a coincidence.” One of Panthera’s- ears?- flicked. Fei blinked. This girl had cat ears? Looked more clip-ons– You know what Fei was too tired to question anything, especially when she was processing Marinette had–

 

“Coincidence? But I— I mean- but Marinette didn’t...”

 

“Is she alright?” Fei quickly asked. The two heroes looked at her, a flash of thought went across the red one’s eyes and she smiled warmly. It felt genuine, and yet, prepared.

 

“She’s going to her Uncle’s now.” Ladybug immediately reassured. “But she was hoping you’d go to safety too...”

 

“Well I can’t. Not when I need to get this done. The man who killed my father is in there,” Fei grunted, pointing into the cave. She could see the distrust in their eyes. The confusion. How could no one understand that this is what needed to happen? She winced with pain, “I need to get my justice.”

 

“Your revenge.” Panthera’s tail flicked. Fei glanced at her. Ladybug’s face scrunched up with a flash of hurt, fist clenching up at her side

 

“Please reconsider.” She said, but Fei merely scowled in response.

 

“I need to be in there, please.” Fei hissed, clutching her chest, pleading to these two- figures. Not people. Figures.

 

Fei could see it in their eyes. She could see it in the way they hardly breathed. They were not human. They could not understand. Fei clenched her fist at her side. But she’d be willing to fight the gods for her task. She was willing. But if they could just listen– 

 

“Please,” She looked pleading at the one with silvery eyes, “I need to finish what I’ve started somehow.”

 

A glance, a grimace, a raised eyebrow, and the ladybug hero sighed tensely.

 

“Fine.” Ladybug murmured, unsureness and doubt pungent in her voice, “Let’s all go together then.”

 

Fei didn’t trust them to trust her. But what was she supposed to expect?

 

She just gratefully nodded now.

 

 

Fei limped hollowly as they ventured deep into the cave. Her ankles were heavy as she stressed her already worn muscles to keep her moving- moving- moving just a little bit further. She wasn’t sure what she’d do when she found Cash. Yeah– She’d kill him. 

 

She had to. 

 

But she wondered how. Fei could barely feel her fingertips apart from the throbbing in her scrapes and her bruises. She’d figure out something. 

 

She had to. 

 

At first, it was pitch black, only glittering by the moonlight outside the waterfall. Fei could hear the squeaks of their boots ring out from between their soles and the wet rocks, but soon it turned into the clicking against something smoother and more pristine. 

 

Her eyes slowly widened as they pressed deeper into the cave, the glow of a beautifully scale-adorned staircase that was hued with colors not unlike the deep sea creatures below the ocean’s twilight zone soon blooming into view.

 

“Ggh-” Her knee buckled beneath her as she tried to descend the stairs into the deep, but she was caught by a sudden and firm hand.

 

“Watch your step-” Her heart jumped, but when she looked up- reassuring emerald eyes met her own. Nightshade and smoke. Death and ash. 

 

Fei was returned to her feet but the firm grip didn’t leave her- helping her down every step. The leather dressed girl looked at her, but she didn’t say anything. Fei knew this ‘hero’ wanted to say something. She could see the thought behind those eyes. Maybe it would’ve been nice. But Fei refused to believe it’d be helpful anyhow.

 

“Thanks.” Fei mumbled.

 

They made it down the stairs. 

 

And oh god.

 

It was so, beautiful.

 

This was what was supposed to await her? All those years ago? This fantastic promise? Fei stumbled against the side of the cave as a gasp left her. Another breath escaped her lungs as she could hear the swift twinkling against her fingertips.

 

Such breathtaking gemstones and glowing embellishments- she felt like she’d stepped into an alternate dimension. She could barely process the sound of the two french heroes who strode up beside her- their own eyes wide and lit up by the glow of the inner stomach of the cave.

 

“What a sight,” Panthera whispered, raising her staff and snapping an unashamed photo. 

 

“I can’t believe this exists.” Ladybug murmured with awe, she turned, looking at Fei with wide and amazed eyes, asking, “Fei, did you know this was here?”

 

“No,” Fei sniffed. Her eyebrows furrowed. “I didn’t.”

 

That future was ripped from her skin. Stolen. Thieved from her hands. Fei’s eyebrows furrowed. The cave was so beautiful, it was so pristine. Untouched by the years. This place was supposed to be hers to protect. This was going to be her honor. Her life. But it was so far from her that she could barely be associated with it.

 

Fei closed her eyes. Imagining her father’s voice.

 

“We all exist for a reason, Fei. To protect, to love, to honor what exists. We must have Compassion for everything.”

 

“Stay calm, everything will be okay eventually. The nightmare will end. Whether by time or your steady hand.”

 

“Fei, it is our duty to live for life itself. Do not be afraid of the world, have Courage.”

 

“Patience, Fei, is key. Do not rush yourself.”

 

“Do not let the world break down who you are proud to be, your Confidence is precious. Defend it. And you will fly.”

 

“Do not abandon who you are, but also do not abandon what is right. Your Honor will guide you.”

 

“Your strength is not a right, it is a privilege you must carry with responsibility and Discipline, my daughter.”

 

Her lip quivered, nails digging into the side of the stoney and cold wall.

 

“Fei,”

 

She gripped her leather jacket.

 

“I love you.”

 

She bowed her head low.

 

“I trust my work to you.”

 

She bit back her sniffle.

 

“I am so proud of you.”

 

Did he ever get to say that during that moment?

 

“You will do great things.”

 

She could feel her scarred skin writhe with goosebumps from the cold, her arms shaking.

 

“I am so sorry.”

 

How awful. No happy memory could douse the flames in her chest. They only made them rise, eating up everything that was once lovely and leaving it charred, rotting, and dead. Fei’s teeth grinded together, fighting back the tears in her eyes. 

 

Why did forest fires have to exist? She once asked her father that question.

 

“The world is very frightening. But there are two things you can trust. Your anger, and me. So do what I need you to do, Fei…”

 

Fei’s eyes darkened with rage.

 

The monster tipped her chin up with the end of his fan primly and then snapped it open much to her shock. He grinned. “Now go be a good dog and get it done. Yes, yes?”

 

She took one unsteady step forward, then another.

 

“You're the one who robbed the girl, you're the one who brought her to me afterwards! So tell me, which one of us uses people's misfortune more? I’m simply the businessman here, Fei. Finish what you started.”

 

She pushed into the searing light of the cave.

 

Fei was going to kill Cash.

 

Speaking of.

 

“...so you were my mysterious buyer! I had never made so much money over such a lousy trinket in my life! And to think I was going to let that dumb girl buy it off of me instead!”

 

“Behind here! Hide..!” Ladybug hissed. 

 

The three girls darted behind a rock as the glistening cave opened to an almost regal arena. Waterfalls of crystal like water glittered in the reflections of the glowing gemstones that stuck out from the walls and floors– all leading to a wall that a small ray of moonlight pointed at like a laser.

 

Fei’s eyes narrowed, as she stuck her head out from behind the rock to watch as the two villains finally came back to view- her eyes widened- as a glimmer of a familiar jade shine came into view.

 

“My father’s stolen bracelet,” She whispered with horror. Cash had it. Cash had it this entire time. That night she’d woken up to it stolen- he’d taken it from her. How could she be so foolish?

 

The two hero’s peaked out from behind her, Panthera’s eyes narrowed as they watched the suited man take the bracelet and start approaching the wall.

 

“Do you know if it does anything, like, anything magical?” She asked simply. Fei slowly shook her, shakily. She just watched as that ray of silvery moonlight turned blood red, and the wall began to open up into a small slot for the bracelet to click into.

 

“I- I don’t know.” She admitted, “My father was murdered before he could ever tell me. All I knew was that it was important and I was supposed to, to protect it…”

 

Fei would soon learn why, as a deep rumbling filled the chamber like the gurgling of a monster’s stomach. The three stared silently in growing fear. Bits of dust and stone crumbled from the ceiling, claws met Fei’s shoulders and she saw the leather clad girl had already begun shielding her.

 

But no feared-cave in happened, simply the hum of satisfaction when the rumble stopped and Hawkmoth approached the rock wall with the bracelet prepared, clicking it into its fated spot, and seemingly grinning with veiled bloodshot eyes as a new glow began to start up.

 

Fei expected something to open. But what happened instead was something more bizarre and breathtaking. Piece by niece, molecule by molecule– Fei watched with bated breath the glowing formation of a wide, armored, humanoid body which ended with the ornate lion helmet who’s eyes, slowly, opened.

 

“Human,” A voice growled deep from within the figure’s core. It rippled with strength. With power. Fei realized that there was no man or person inside the armor. Whatever it was, it was the armor, it was something pretending to simply be the armor. It was something too powerful to be anything else. “Prepare to face the judgment of Mei Shi, the lion protector of the Prodigious!”

 

“The Prodigious?” Ladybug echoed.

 

“What the fuuuck..” Panthera’s jaw slackened. “Is that Freddy Fazbear..?”

 

Fei squinted at her. Bitch who?

 

“I didn’t know about this. I didn’t. Do you know what this is?” Fei blubbered awkwardly. She was in utter shock. Was ‘Meet the Lion Guy Neighbor Under the House’ ever going to happen when her father was alive!? Was that on the list of things to do.?

 

“We don’t. But if Hawkmoth wants it. Then we’ve got to stop him from getting it.” Ladybug’s eyebrows narrowed, she glanced back at Panthera, “Kitty. You with me?”

 

“Always.”

 

“Take position higher up then, I’ll give you my signal.” Ladybug whispered. Panthera nodded and slunk back into the darkness with a breathless ease. Fei looked to Ladybug for instruction but her lips only drifted with disappointment. “Fei. You stay right here, okay? Where it’s safe.”

 

Like hell I will- Fei began, before another rumble shot through her thoughts and the three watched as a new hole in the wall revealed itself, stones sliding out of the way to reveal an almost tomb-like relief into the structure. Hawkmoth slunk his way inside. 

 

Ladybug had already begun sneaking to another rocky hideaway, and Fei’s feet felt glued to the ground- she could only watch with bated breath, leaning more and more from out behind the rock, watching, waiting, for Hawkmoth to return.

 

And then, he did.

 

The guardian lion grunted with unknown approval, watching as Hawkmoth emerged from the darkness with.. Some sort of object in his hand. Fei felt her heart tug, the air change- she could feel something powerful radiating from his grasp. It called for her. Like a heartbeat. What was this?

 

“Place the pendent around your neck, human, and prepare to face my divine judgment.” It rumbled deeply, only to let out an ‘uhh’ of confusion as Hawkmoth merely shoved past him. 

 

“Who said I’d be the one dealing with you?” The suited villain purred, admiring his treasure in his hands with a glitter in his eyes. He chuckled, turning to the transformed Cash with a smirk upon his lips. “King Cash, the time has come for you to honor our deal. Turn this fool into a gold statue and we’ll be on our way.”

 

“Hmph! Gladly.” Cash sneered, flicking his fan out with a sinister look. He slowly began approaching the lion with a terrible intent in his grip, much to Hawkmoth’s very own delight. Cash grimaced, “I’ll have a fun time selling you as a gaudy living room decoration.”

 

“W-What!? Why you–!”

 

Fei’s face fell, before suddenly twisting with rage. This beautiful beast of ancient armor and perfected form- made to protect this place just as she was- Fei could not let him be eviscerated the same way her father was, the same she was–!

 

“NO!” Fei screamed, stumbling out from the rock and charging blindly.

 

“FEI!”

 

Surprisingly it was only then, that all hell broke loose.

 

 

The crash of metal against metal rang through Fei’s ears as Hawkmoth’s grip held her high above the ground. His squeeze punctured her breathing, but it was so let go by the dark shadow that slammed into him like a predator pouncing on its prey.

 

She hit the ground in a roll, Ladybug jumping over her to lash out some wire like weapon- Fei watched it wrap around King Cash’s wrist and yank it backwards as Mei Shi delivered another punch to his jaw. 

 

King Cash stumbled backwards with a gasp- But the guardian didn’t push forward in his assault, just watched as Ladybug pulled him back onto the battlefield with the intent to continue her own. Fei could only ask herself in this second to breathe:

 

What's happening?

 

Fei did her best to pull herself to her feet, only to have to drop again as multiple spikes scattered around her- aimed to her head height. Cash writhed and snarled as Ladybug spun around him, weaving her wired yoyo like her own acrobatic spider web- while she looked to the side and saw a mortified Hawkmoth staring up at Panthera with the eyes of a haunted man.

 

“OH GOD, NO!” He shouted, writhing against her grip like her every touch was agony, “NOT YOU!”

 

“OH YES, ASSHOLE.” Panthera snarled, letting her hair pool around her like a disheveled mane. She grinned from ear to ear. “ME!”

 

Fei dodged Panthera who was promptly shoved off him and thrown towards the nearest wall. Her heart raced with panic and fear as the scattering of rock and clouds of dust being picked up around the now-being-desecrated cave. She could die at any moment she realized. These super powered manics having the strength to break her bones with an accidental flick-

 

But in the glow of the crystals and the darkness of the room, she could see the silhouette of the guardian, staring down at her with judgment in his glimmering eyes.

 

Fei wavered in her stance, but looking behind her- she realized he’d not been staring at her but through her- down- and to the glimmering trinket now laying forgotten on the ground. Twinkling and effervescent in it’s own glow.

 

I need it. She realized.

 

“The Prodigious,” She whispered. Maybe a bit too loud.

 

Hawkmoth’s head snapped up, his eyes stretching, “KING CASH! GET THE AMULET NOW!”

 

“You–! Again!” Fei’s heart raced as Cash whirled his head towards her, a twisted snarl on his face as he turned to face her- his fan and its many blades pointing to her, “I’ll squash you permanently this time, you little mosquito!”

 

“FEI!”

Fei shouted and rolled out of the way, grimacing as she realized she’d ended up farther from the amulet instead. But there was no time to lament because there was another rain of golden spikes coming her way–!

 

Tink-Tink-Tink!

 

Fei opened her eyes to see Panthera standing in front of her, with many of the golden spikes now laying in broken shards around them. Panthera flicked the hair out of her face with a chuff, snapping a long metal staff out to the side. She looked at Fei with a flash of worry before smiling- and Fei immediately began to run again.

 

The sounds of Panthera and Cash’s scuffle rang out from behind her as she darted over the crumbling rocks and crystal falling her way. She was so close. The chaos was so loud and so potent but she had to get to it–!

 

“NO NO NO!” Hawkmoth growled. She gasped, seeing the suited man approach with rage in his eyes and a horrible saber raising above his head- only for him to let out a surprised scream as his legs came up from behind up and suddenly he was flying towards the ceiling with a sudden and unexpected speed.

 

“Go, Fei!” Ladybug jumped beside her, tugging on her yoyo wire. Fei nodded gratefully to her and she ran once more. Her legs were in agony. Her muscles throbbed and ached with pain. How long had she been running her entire life? Was this her finish line? Or was it..

 

“MY PRODIGIOUS!” Hawkmoth screamed, cutting himself free from his trap and reaching out for her with a fall-

 

“FEI!”

 

“MY MONEY!” Cash sent a whirlwind of golden shards at her.

 

“FEI!”

 

“My justice..!” Fei hissed through her teeth, and she grabbed ahold of it. There was no sound, just the clambering of limbs as her knees finally buckled and she held it close to her chest– the string barely finding its way over her head around her neck in her hurry- and then–

 

She wished.

 

Fei wished like it was a shooting star, like it was god’s pearl, like it was the last breath of her life escaping her lungs and—

 

Then there was a fiery warmth consuming her- and a bursting of blinding light that emanated bright off of her skin.

 

And after a moment, Fei’s eyes blinked open– and a sudden strength filled her bones. Fei rose to her feet with an ease she hadn’t felt in a long time. She felt hungerless, she felt healthy, she felt like she’d been dipped in ambrosia and like she’d been basked out on the land’s first warm rock after she’d been drowning at sea for years. 

 

Fei had been transformed. She had become powerful.

 

“So you are the one I will be judging then, girl.” Mei Shi’s voice rippled, calling for her attention as he sat down on his pedestal. “Well then, it is time.”

 

“It is time, it is time…”

 

Fei looked to the rest of the room and felt the two pairs of hungry eyes face her with mixes of rage and aggression. And suddenly, the world was filled with gold. Mei Shi’s eyes narrowed, metal lips curling.

 

“Prove yourself, RenRen.”

 

Fei blinked. And she was suddenly surrounded by multiple tiny, wispy little creatures. Fei blinked. They blinked back. And then they all smiled at her.

 

“Greetings, new RenRen! We hope you last! It’s been so long!”

 

“AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!?” Fei shrieked with complete terror. Yeah that scream felt nice. That was a good scream. She needed that scream. Oh god. She really needed that scream. Cause. Cause. CAUSE. WHAT THE FUCK WAS GOING ON-

 

“FEI! LOOK OUT!”

 

Her eyes widened, her heart leapt, and she was sure to be cleaved in half– but despite all that- her body moved. Her body moved faster than it ever had before. Fei raised her arm and clashed it in a shrieking clash of metal against metal, and she stared at her arm– now armored and sturdy. 

 

A strand of hair fell over her face and her eyes widened in her struggle against the edge of Cash’s fan blade- as she admired the fluff of her now bright- somewhat glowing cyan flooded hair that billowed down her back like a mane of fire. 

 

“Woah,” Fei whispered, lifting her hand up, unsure how to even check if this was real- only to find herself once more distracted with more and more of the new outfit, this new, form, she’d taken. 

 

And yet– it felt familiar. It felt warm. It felt right and it felt nice to be strong. This body felt not like something she’d just begun wearing, but something that was an extension of herself- something beyond words.

 

“HEY YOU BRAT! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!” 

 

“Huh? WOAH-!” Fei yelped out with surprise as Cash scraped his fan away and took another swipe down at her, attempting to cut her sideways down her face but she now ducked, running in between the giant’s legs and weaving her way around the spikes he now sent towards her like a shattering of glass.

 

“Wonderful dodge!” A small tiger-like creature suddenly swept in beside her face, making her yelp.

 

“Oh she’s excellent!” She ducked as a monkey parted out from her hair.

 

“You’re a natural aren’t you, RenRen!” A pheasant sang.

 

“What the heck are you!?” Fei clutched her head, stumbling away from them as the golden around her vision flickered and waned. “Ren-What!?”

 

“We are the Renlings, the spirits of human values.” A mantis-like figure crawled up her arm. Voice calm and steady.

 

“Are You are our RenRen!” One answered and Fei’s breath left her lips in a slight gasp as a small dragon slithered up in her air and greeted her with a grin of all teeth, “The person who wears the Prodigious!”

 

“Fei! Who are you talking to!?” Fei blinked in confusion, swerving around to see Ladybug. Who was she.. Talking to? Fei glanced over at the small collection of tiny, floating, creatures and then back. 

 

“Can you not see them!? The- The tiny talking animals?!”

 

“The what!?” Ladybug squawked, before yelping as she dodged another strike from Cash. Panthera swept past Fei, her movements jagged and unexpected, and her claws scraping against the wall. The cat looked at her with concern.

 

“Are you having a concussion? Or are you having a VIP magic sight thing happening?!” The cat hero asked, reflecting another shard from the golden fan. Fei screwed her lips together. 

 

“I- I don’t know how to feel about the latter!” Fei shouted. She watched in her cosmic vision the cat-dressed hero pass through the creatures like a phantom would, letting wisps of star-like glitter scatter around her. They looked at her trustingly, and she lamented, accepting the fact that– okay- maybe they were real.

 

“The Prodigious is mine! King Cash! GO!”

 

“GIVE OUR TREASURE BACK!” A voice shrieked– turning around, she witnessed Cash bringing his fan down at her. Fei’s eyes thinned-

 

“Shit–!” Fei dodged backwards, stumbling and scraping against the stone and tile. She had to fight. But how? One wrong move and she’d be an example of King Midas’s curse. A flash of light and all the renlings now surrounded her again with expectant smiles. She stared at all of them pleadingly, “Are you guys going to help!?”

 

“Of course we can. Why, each of us have the power that can turn you into a different, more powerful animal,” A snake slithered around her neck with a comforting presence of kindness, till she paused at Fei’s ear and hissed warningly, “But only if you are worthy of the virtues it represents.” 

 

“Well there’s a lot of you so, I’m gonna need a crash course!” Fei shouted, jumping back from another shooting blade and climbing up the wall.

 

She launched at Cash, digging her nails into his metal fan and glaring into the reflection that met her back, giving her a new view of her fiery and now glowing eyes. Cash sent her off with a yell, shoving her back to the ground. Another flash of light and the renlings were back, smiling-

 

“If you want me, Tang Tang, the renling of patience, to turn you into a mantis, you must show patience–!”

 

“AUGH!” Fei ducked underneath a blade nearly cutting her head off. She couldn’t stick around waiting. Not when King Cash was so unexpected and wild in movement. Fei’s panic filled her lungs. What could she do!? She was still just the same old Fei and that couldn’t be enough. She looked at TangTang apologetically, “Thanks, but I don't have any patience right now, sorry.”

 

“Of course, I will wait.”

 

She’d nod gratefully at the small creature but Fei only could hold another yelp of fear. Her head swiveled left from right as another rain of deadly blades came flying at her. She ducked, she stumbled, she jumped– she was caught in a painful kick- crashing into the wall and falling down a crumpled heap. 

 

Cash just laughed and laughed uproariously, leaving Fei to collect her steadiness. Dizzy, unsure, worried, manic, afraid. Fei let out a wince of momentary pain, hissing, before looking over at the new floating creature now inches from her face with a sleepy smile. 

 

“How about me?” He yawned, rubbing his little face with his paw, “‘M Xiong Xiong, renling of calm.”

 

“Calm? Calm!? You want me to be calm!? Is this a joke?!” Fei sputtered out. A cry suddenly cut through her thoughts. Lifting herself back up to her feet, she gazed past Cash’s horrible blade and across the room, where she watched with growing horror at the sight of Hawkmoth pointing his blade at a collapsed Ladybug and Panthera Noire, struggling to collect themselves in time-

 

“Calm like a bear, big and strong like a bear.” Xiong Xiong yawned as the shadow of Cash’s body stretched over Fei, ready to fight, right to cleave her in half. Xiong Xiong opened an eye up at her and smiled slightly, “Be calm, Renren.”

 

Cash raised his fan once more.

 

Fei held her breath, and let it go.

 

Calm.

 

The amulet around her neck suddenly chimed and Xiong Xiong beamed.

 

Fei’s eyes burned bright with a purple singe, feeling a sudden heat crackle in her chest and her lips into a determined snarl;

 

“Xiong–!”

 

It was like a bomb blew up in her chest, except the flames that engulfed her were calm, they were warm, more like a wave that cascaded over her, rippling and waning, and soon- consuming over her entire body with a beam of effervescent and ethereal light.

 

Fei opened her eyes as her feet touched the ground, except the weight in her landing was suddenly new and different. Her body straightened- and her view raised higher, and higher- until she was now standing at about nine feet tall, with haunches raised, and lips curled across her snout into a terrible snarl- and staring back at her, reflected upon Cash’s stretched out expression of horror- was the image of her;

 

Now a terrifying, feral looking bear.

 

Fei roared in his face, ringing out a horrified scream out of the golden man. Grinning from ear to fuzzy ear, Fei raised a powerful paw and pummeled him backwards- denting the shining metal chestplate he wore with great pride and now, with building terror and rage.

 

“YOU DENTED MY BEAUTIFUL BODY! YOU BITCH–!” King Cash shrieked with disgust and horror before letting out a choked gasp as Fei toppled him backwards with a slam- flying into Hawkmoth with a cut of yell. The clattering echo that followed filled the chamber with a loud and thunderous energy. Fei let out another roar.

 

She.. FELT.. POWERFUL.

 

“F-Fei!?” Ladybug shouted from across the room.

 

“Renren apparently! W- Woah!” And suddenly she was just Fei again- her body shrinking back to her normal human form. Er well- her normal superpowered form. Her.. Renren form. I may have gotten a bit too excited. She thought. Her vision flickered with the gold, and she watched as Xiong Xiong raised up beside her and smiled.

 

“Keep your head now, Renren. You’ve got it now.” He smiled. Fei’s lips curled up into a nervous smile. An angry growl rippled across her and she stared into Cash’s enraged eyes. Uh oh. Fei ducked, ducked, and then leapt- jumping off his golden shards like stair steps and ascending into the air.

 

She twisted through the air, hair flickering around her like fire- scanning the entire battle field now- where she realized everyone was staring at her. Panthera and Ladybug had gotten back to their feet, along with their villainous counterpart looking disheveled from his introduction to Cash’s ass. Eyes of awe, eyes of bitterness, eyes of rage.

 

Fei’s eyebrows furrowed, letting in a calm deep breath and watched Cash stand. He shook off the dust of rumble and growled at the sight of her. She summoned her best cocky smile, and tilted her head to the side. 

 

Come at me she told him. And like that, both his and Hawkmoth’s impatience wore thin and they both charged at her with a wave of their weapons. She held her prodigious close to her heart and she let them come closer, and closer– The edges of her vision flickered with pleased gold and she smiled.

 

“Tang!”

 

The shards of golden blades flew into her- but the only thing it pierced was a cloud of beautiful smoke and beams of light that burst out from her body– and when her vision cleared- suddenly the now massive world revealed itself to her in unexplainable color– and Fei, now a tiny mantis, hit the ground quietly and gracefully.

 

Cash stumbled, nearly falling over her, before stepping backwards with faltering surprise. Hawkmoth still ran at her, but he was taken out by a rapid tackle from Panthera- launched by the wire of Ladybug’s yoyo. A stomp cut Fei’s attention, looking up to see Cash approach and raise his shoe.

 

Yeah no she wasn’t letting that happen.

 

She jumped to the side, her new and multiple set of legs carrying her far and quickly. Fei felt fast, skittery. Untouchable and yet- she kept her patience. Another stutter of steps. And there she was. At Cash’s side. Where he couldn’t quite defend himself.

 

“I think I’m getting it now-!” Fei shouted- and bursted from the size of a leaf to the size of a monster. She grinned as she took Cash by surprise, cleaving another dent into his armor much to his discretion. Cash’s heels screeched back against the ground and he nursed his wound with rage. The renlings flashed to her side, all cheering with enthusiasm. It felt- nice.

 

“Way to go, RenRen!” A bird chirped up happily.

 

“You’re doing good. Keep going!” A snake hissed at her side with a smile. Fei grinned for a moment before a clattering of sound filled her ears. 

 

Cash snapped his fan shut and lunged forward with a stab-intented rage. Fei’s eyebrows furrowed and she lunged towards him. She was afraid of what would happen if she didn’t get this right. She was afraid of what was next. But she had to keep fighting. Fei snarled-

 

“XIE!”

 

Her body formed in a sudden snap, a gasp left her lungs as it felt like her entire body stretched outwards- a heat rippling across her- and her arms and legs disappearing in a flash of light. 

 

She caught herself, wrapping her now serpentine body around Cash’s arm and hissing. He let out a shout and she lunged forward, wrapping her long body around his neck and yanking his arm to smack himself in the face. He let out a cry and threw her through the air- and yet Fei could only really laugh.

 

This was the power of the prodigious. 

 

It was so, incredible. 

 

Beautiful.

 

“Xiong!” Fei breathed, bursting into the bear form and rolling across the ground with a scraping across the ground. She shook her fur out, letting out a sigh. Glancing off to the front of the battlefield, she searched for Mei Shi’s expression but his metal frame gave nothing for her to work off of. She had to only assume he approved. Look at her!

 

“Hey, Ladybear!” Her ears perked and she looked up to see Panthera now hoisted among the stalactites and hanging crystal. The cat hero grinned from ear to ear, “You wouldn’t mind catching me would you? I got thrown up here.”

 

Fei smirked and raised herself to her heavy paws with a nod. Panthera seemed to vibrate with excitement and launched herself at her, landing Fei’s back with a light grunt and smiling. 

 

“Thanks!” Panthera chirped, but as Fei looked up and down at the hero and as her eyes glimmered gold- her lips curled into a smile. Just before Panthera could climb off, Fei burst into a sudden run- spurring out a surprised and confused shout. She wasn’t sure why she did this. 

 

But part of her wanted to impress her.

 

“HOOOLYYYSHITTTT THIS IS AWWESSSOOOME–!” Fei grinned from ear to ear hearing that. Was she having fun? Was she having fun right now? She felt like she was having fun. A laugh let out from her lungs. She felt so light and free like this. Panthera reeled over Fei’s shoulder, claws holding on and combing through her fur, pointing forward, “Ladybug straight ahead!”

 

She was right, and Fei immediately made a charging beeline towards the girl’s opponent. The ground rumbled beneath her heavy paws, her lips curled into an excited growl, but she held her strength. If she wasn’t careful– she’d hurt Ladybug too. The bear form was too strong. Ladybug’s struggle against the villain was too wild and manic to predict-

 

“HU!” Fei leapt into the air with a name she knew immediately upon her mind- 

 

Her claws out stretched out, her body grew lean, and glowing beautiful stripes rippled across her muscled body- her form swiftly slammed down with a predator’s instinct onto Hawkmoth and threw him to the wall with her fangs piercing his jacket, and releasing him with a roar.

 

“PARTNER I RODE A BEAR-TIGER!”

 

Oh right, Panthera was on her back. Looking over her shoulder, she leaned down to let the hero wobble off and let her now bristled hair smooth down with calm. Fei let out a pleased chuff- a sound she wasn’t expecting to lift from her throat- but a nice one.

 

A sudden body came to wrap their arms around her neck in a grateful hug- Fei recognized her as Ladybug and her ears flattened against her head. Hugs? Now? This was nice. This was nice? 

 

“Good job guys! But let’s finish this now!” Ladybug said, pulling away, still petting a hand through Fei’s fur. Fur. Fur is weird. 

 

“You’re right. What’s the plan?” Oh Panthera was also petting her. They were both petting her. Fei’s eyebrows knitted together. Could these lesbians please focus? Fei directed her attention back to the villains across from them, and a flare of confidence warmed her chest. They- they could do this.

 

“Well- the akuma is in King Cash’s fan. That’s what I know. We’ll have to deal with King Cash first and then Hawkmoth second.” Ladybug’s voice brought Fei’s attention back up to her.

 

“Akuma?” Her voice rippled out into a slight growl. Ladybug nodded, finally lifting her hand off from Fei to crack her knuckles very professionally. Panthera’s ear flicked thoughtfully, pointing at Hawkmoth with a slight and sudden iciness in her eyes.

 

“That guy over there? He’s our douchebag. He infects butterflies which infect emotionally unbalanced people.” Panthera hissed, meeting his glare with her very own. Panthera lifted her arms away from Fei, and her lip slowly curled. “He can’t even do his own job-”

 

“I CAN HEAR YOU FROM OVER HERE!”

 

“We destroy the object with the akuma in it, his fan, and then the nightmare’s over!” Ladybug spun her yoyo at her side. Fei’s face reeled forward, and her haunched raised over her as a sudden focus filled her. The nightmare. Could finally be over.

 

“Got it!” Fei prowled forward, claws scraping against the ground like flint as the other two heroes rushed past her to clash once more against Hawkmoth. 

 

Glaring into Cash’s eyes. Seeing him now. This was it. This was it. She searched her mind and instincts. The underlying knowledge she had of the Prodigious jingling around her neck. The power that was at her fingertips. What could she use for this execution?

 

Mei Shi peaked an eye open.

 

“LOONG!” Fei lifted to her feet and snarled with the intent to strike Cash right where he stood and watch his ever golden vessel and nerve explode.

 

And an awkward shuddering sound filled her ears instead of any physical elation. Fei blinked. Eh?

 

“RAGHHHHH!”

 

“Oh shi- Xie!” Fei stumbled to shout, her sudden snake body- that worked- allowed her to reel away just in time. So why didn’t- Spikes rained at her, and her body twisted away from them. Fei’s eyebrows furrowed, staring up at Cash’s golden body. Why didn’t it work!?

 

“FEI!” Ladybug called out with worry, with suddenly a… basketball in her hands? Where did she get a BASKETBALL!? Ladybug’s face fell, turning her back to Hawkmoth who fought violently with the snarling cat hero, “Are you okay!? What happened!?”

 

“Technical difficulties..?!” Panthera strained her voice out as her staff grinded against Hawkmoth’s silver blade. Suddenly there was chaos. The sound of shrieking metal. Fei wished she could cover her ears but she had no hands to do so. But she kept moving. She had to. What could have happened!? She thought she finally understood these powers and now–!?

 

“I should be able to turn into a dragon with the power over natural elements!” Fei shouted, writhing around the spikes jutting into the ground. She waited for a moment, watching Cash dramatically raise his fan into the air before dodging just in time and letting his fan get stuck between the stones. Fei grinded her teeth together, “I wanted to electrify his body with my lightning! But, I don’t know why I can’t transform for some reason!?”

 

“The power of the dragon is the most powerful of them all, your intentions must be noble and aligned with the values of justice if you aim to use it.”

 

That voice- A dark shiver went up her spine, and then anger. Fei’s head raised to stare into the guardian lion’s eyes, now finally staring back into her own. They were emotionless, and steeled. Her lips curled.

 

“Of course my intentions are just! I want to get revenge on the guy that ruined my entire fucking life!” Fei snarled. A creaking of metal filled her ears and she saw Cash begin to try and stand. Fine. If the dragon wasn’t working then–! “XIONG!”

 

Fei needed to be strong. She needed to cleave her claws into Cash’s throat. But she was still just a snake. 

 

“What..!?” Fei hissed, but she could feel it in her chest. 

 

She wasn’t calm. She was- she was- ugh she didn’t know what she was! She was upset. Her skin burned and rippled with something nauseating and overwhelming. The renlings didn’t reveal themselves. It was just the dark and the crystals filling her vision- it was just Mei Shi, staring down at her with judgment in his eyes.

 

Cash growled, reeling around and aiming his fan down at her. She dodged. She dodged once more. She was scared. She was-

 

And suddenly she was just Fei again. Her legs carried her backwards and her body slacked and waned as the difficulty to dodge and the desperation to scream fogged her vision. A stinging sensation rose in her eyes, and her lips trembled with frustration.

 

“He took away my home, my father, my identity, my dignity!” She looked to Mei Shi, “How could you not call what I desire justice!?”

 

“Revenge is the opposite of the values of the dragon. Your judgment and your intentions are clouded!” Mei Shi grunted. “Revenge is payback! It’s retaliation! But justice is about restoring balance! Your actions will only be the brunt of more agony!”

 

“Revenge isn't the same thing as justice, Fei!” Ladybug yelled, she seemed to have Hawkmoth in a choke hold, seeming to egg him to let go of a writhing Panthera. “This won’t do as much good as you think!”

 

“OF COURSE IT WILL! I JUST WANT JUSTICE! IT'S ALL I WANTED! IS THAT TOO SELFISH FOR ME NOW TOO!?” Fei shrieked, stumbling in place as she sought for the creature’s attention. Her eyes pleading, “I JUST WANT MY JUSTICE!”

 

“By replacing it with a new torment?” Mei Shi snapped back firmly, “Not even you can see the path you desire to walk.”

 

Fei’s jaw slacked in confusion. But her anger only grew louder over every voice echoing around her. She shattered through the light, feeling the fur on her back recede and feathers burst away from her hair.

 

“I KNOW WHAT I WANT!” Fei cried, voice shrieking louder in efforts to be heard but the creature resisted without effort. “I need him to die! The WORLD needs him to die! This is all I’ve wanted for so long! What else is there to do!?”

 

"The candle you have lit will not cast the hearth you are looking for. It will nearly burn the wax of your soul until there is nothing left of you but troublesome ashes to sweep. There is no justice for you on this path. There is no relief. Only endless endless bloodshed." The guardian creature's voice rang like the most dangerous of growls, he glared deeply at her, "A waste. An unworthy girl. You're only a dangerous match willing to cause a dangerous fire."

 

“Don’t say that!” Fei snarled, but her heart was shattering at the way he was looking at her. She hated it. She hated the judgment. This was right. She had to be right. Or else there was nothing for her. She needed this. There was nothing left. Why was no one EVER ON HER SIDE!?

 

“Fei!” Ladybug shouted but Fei could barely hear her over the thundering in her chest, only being thrown out of her shock at the loud roar that thundered above her from above. Cash.

 

She felt her body crumple as his knee sent her flying.

 

Weak.

 

She felt so weak again.

 

“Fei!” The renlings cried out through the ringing of her ears. Fei choked out a struggling gasp. They looked to her for sympathy, for some sort of understanding, but the only thing filling her mind now was anger. How could no one understand? 

 

SHE NEEDED TO KILL HIM. IT WAS HER DEBT TO PAY..! If she didn’t kill him-! Then her father would’ve died in vain! Then her father would’ve died to save a fucking traitor..! She had to kill him..!

 

“Then I'll find another way to rip him to shreds.” Fei hissed through her teeth, raising her head to meet Cash’s eyes. She loved her father so much. His smile filled her memory like a ruined painting. Fei’s lip quivered, “HOU!”

 

She launched at him. With her fist flying a plenty, she let out shrieks and howls of rage as she busted her palms and fists against him. Cash let out screams of terror and horror but his massive body was too slow and frantic to rip her tiny monkey body off of him.

 

“YOU NO YOU DON’T-!” Fei’s teeth gritted together with panic as a hand gripped the back of her neck. Her hands reached out, clawing at the empty air before she was thrown- flying wildly and flailing and crashing her body against the agonizing stone of the wall, before falling, into a small pool of water.

 

It was.. cold.

 

It was cold.

 

Ice cold even. The heat escaped her fingertips like a fleeting flicker of fire. But she would not allow herself that relief. It was too calming. It was too heavenly.

 

Fei weakly rose up from beneath the waves. She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself, before a grinding filled her ears. And then there was a crack. She blinked dizzily, and hesitantly looked up. Fei barely got a chance to process the sight of the room- the situation she- no CASH- had caused- before her mouth dried looking up to see one the one of many pillars that towered over the arena began to drift and fall right on top of h—!

 

She dove back under just in time for the pillar to crash down on top of her. She was only under for a few moments, she was sure. But it felt like Fei was drowning. And yet it was so peaceful. Why breach the surface? Why come back up when all that met her was agony and hurt?

 

But Panthera Noire had been stuck in a choke hold, she looked like she was scared and tempted to the terrible– And Ladybug looked terrified, unsure how to help.

 

Fei wanted to help.

 

She wanted to help.

 

She wanted to do good.

 

Why couldn’t they understand that? Why could no one? 

 

Did she count?

 

Wh..

 

Fei let out a yell through the bubbles, wincing as the searing heat in her chest that once was warm and hardy now simply felt like the anger she’d wielded all along. Was that her intention? Was that what she wanted now? Fei needed it to be like that. Right?

 

She crawled out from underneath the pillar, mantis eyes flicking from side to side as she regained her altered focus.

 

“–come on now, Ladybug! You or her first!”

 

“Partner–!”

 

“Let her go!”

 

“Too late for that little ladybug! Cash! Turn her to gold and take her earrings!”

 

Patience. She hissed to herself weakly. Slowly creeping closer, closer– she watched King Cash saunter horribly towards Ladybug with a terrible gleam in his fan. His fan. His fan. He raised it high over his head and moved to strike it down.

 

And before Fei could move- she watched Ladybug move first with a clever glint in her eyes. 

 

Down the fan came but Ladybug was faster, raising that confusing bouncy ball high over her head and let it collide with the blade– only for it to bounce the force back in full- sending Cash screaming in baffled confusion and horror as his arm went flying upwards, and his fan left his finger tips.

 

“PANTHERA NOW!” Ladybug shouted, as Cash plummeted to the ground.

 

“CATACLYSM-!”

 

“SHIT-!” The purple cloaked villain shrieked, his arms ripping away from Panthera who was now charging forward, aiming her eyes to the sky, to the glimmer of gold. The villain’s eyes darted from the cat hero to the fan in the air and pointed. “NO-! CASH GRAB YOUR FAN!”

 

Now.

 

NOW.

 

“NOW!” Fei hissed with vivid heat in her lungs, bursting into snake form and coiling wildly around her monster’s neck. His shock sent his eyebrows raising to his temples with terror. 

 

And she screamed.

 

She screamed in his face and beat her fists down into him. Her claws raked over gold. Compound eyes gave her a multi layered view of his bruised and blundered face. Her feathers fell out of her hair as she shrieked and beat her palms and hooves and paws down onto him. She squeezed her eyes shut as she pounded her fists against his face.

 

And Fei was strong and he was weak.

 

And finally, Fei was strong and he was weak.

 

Fei was weak, and now she was strong.

 

And she was strong and she was strong and she had to be so strong she had to be so so strong she wanted to be strong for so long she was finally strong she was finally strong she wanted to be strong she needed to be strong.

 

And–

 

There was a squelching sound instead of the usual bang of her split knuckles against agonizing metal. Fei’s eyes, stinging with burning tears, slowly opened and for the first time– she felt blood on her hands.

 

“..ei listen! Fei listen–!” The renlings begged, Fei barely heard them, she just stared at her hands.

 

“Fei! Fei-!” The blood was slimy. She parted her fingers, claws. Fei watched the strings of blood part from between her fingers. 

 

“Hey. Hey, hey, hey Fei. Snap out of it, come on. No, no, don’t look–” Her eyes slowly traveled down to look at the giant titan she’d clambered onto. But- he was just Cash again. He was just, some, guy again. His face bruised to ugly warped agony, blood spurt from his teeth and his broken nose- and one of his eyes was swollen shut.

 

Oh god. Was- Was he dead?

 

“W- Who..? Who the fuck are you..? Where am I..? Where’s my money? What’s fucking happening!?” Cash- he was alive why was she glad- croaked dizzyingly. Fei’s lips quivered. He doesn’t even remember anything. He doesn’t even recognize me right now. 

 

A claw found her shoulder and Fei’s entire body writhed in reaction, only to look up and meet death’s softened gaze of copper and ashy emerald gleam. Fei looked back down at the girl’s claws, and weakly took her hand. Panthera brought her back to her feet and held her close while Ladybug held Fei’s other hand protectively- but it all just felt like nothing. 

 

They were just strangers after all. And yet, she lingered in the strength they offered to keep her on her feet. She lingered in heaven’s light and it was tempting to take.

 

The battle was over.

 

But where was her relief?

 

“Fuuucking hell, the hospital bills are going to be a fucking bite in the ass.. Once I get my hands on that stupid fucking girl...” Cash whined with pain, rubbing at his ruined face with disgust. Fei’s ear pricked, and the burning in her chest rose back with a stinging heat.

 

The battle was over.

 

Now the trial had begun.

 

“Y- You called me a waste...” Fei’s voice shook in her lungs like a tremoring thunder. She looked up hesitantly at Mei Shi and he stared back with a ceaseless strength in his glare.

 

“The power of the prodigious resting in your hands is the Waste. A danger. You should return it to me at once.” Mei Shi’s voice rumbled. Pulling away from the two heroes, Fei clenched her trembling fists at her sides. The slime that now stained her knuckles was too much. It was too much. It felt like it was burning through her skin.

 

“...But the real waste is HIM! HIM!” Fei shrieked, pointing out at the slumped Cash with rage in her lungs. Her eyes burned. Her heart was bleeding. Her mind was ringing. Her world flashing black and gold. What other reality was there for her to comprehend safely? “HE’S THE ONE WHO TOOK EVERYTHING FROM ME! HE’S THE ONE! WHO RUINED EVERYTHING IN MY LIFE! IN MY FATHER’S LIFE! HE DESERVES TO DIE TOO! HE DESERVES TO DIE!”

 

“A TRUE HOLDER OF THE PRODIGIOUS WOULD NEVER SAY SUCH A PHRASE. NOT WITHOUT DOUBT. I CAN SENSE YOUR CONFLICT IN YOUR MIND.”   Fei felt the ground shake with Mei Shi’s thundering tone. He raised to his feet with a glare in his eyes, “YOU DO NOT GET TO DECIDE WHO LIVES OR DIES. THAT IS NOT YOUR DOMAIN. THAT IS NOT YOUR RIGHT. AND MOST OF ALL, THAT IS NOT YOUR DESIRE.”

 

Panthera’s tail flicked.

 

“Not my–” Fei’s mouth dried with confusion. “What the fuck do you mean by that!?”

 

Not her desire? Not her desire? Of course this was her desire. This had been her godforsaken path for YEARS. If it wasn’t her desire then what the hell was it supposed to be? What else was she doing it for? No. No, the answer was still there. She was doing it for her father... Her father who.. was dead... Her father who.. wouldn’t want this..

 

“I’m so lost.” The cat hero suddenly said, drawing Fei out of her spiraling with a confused and tired little look, propping a hand on her hip, and yet her tone seemed lighter with intention, an attempt to de-escalate, she purred, “I just came here to save Marinette but... now I feel very involved.”

 

“Save Marinette? Marinette Dupain Cheng the designer? Oh right. She was here. Wait. Why was she here and in need of saving?” Fei glanced to the side and she remembered the purple suited man was here all along. He primly held a butterfly on his fingertip and when their eyes met, he glared.

“You tell me dicknuts.” The cat hero glared violently at the man. Her hand flexed, showing off her dangerous looking claws with ill intention. “And you better make it quick cause you’re about to start screaming soon for clearly fucking everything up around here.”

 

“My business revolved around the Prodigious. That’s why I made a deal with Cash in the first place. But I have no idea why the hell that girl was here.” The french villain glowered, stroking a finger over that small little butterfly with an annoyed edge in his voice, eyes constantly leering and judgemental as they flitted from Fei studying before then moving to Cash who was beginning to stand.

 

“UHHHhhh well she got lost for a bit! But it’s fine she’s back to safety. I got her guys don’t worry!” Ladybug squawked, waving her hands wildly in the room. Hawkmoth nodded, somehow looking pleased by that. Fei squinted at him with confusion. Were all superheroes this casual with villains after horrific battles? No wonder they never got anything done in comics. She wondered, in a hardly lucid daze before glaring.

 

“She didn’t just get lost! She was about to get scammed out of all her money by YOU!” Fei leered at Cash. The man’s eyes widened but to her confusion, his gaze was filled with complete.. Apathy. Well, of course he didn’t care about how anyone felt. Apathy was the wrong word. He didn’t look at her and see.. Fei. 

 

“Who the hell are you and why are you accusing me of such things!? It’s all thanks to Fei actually! She’s the one who actually stole the shit I needed from that girl! If that dog wasn’t such a weak willed brat we could’ve gotten away with it!” Cash snapped back. He’d since began nursing his bloodied face with the dabbing of some spare yuan in his pockets. Panthera’s eyebrow raised and Fei scowled.

 

“That girl you call a dog just wanted to avenge her father! She did whatever she could to set it right! And s-she decided to save Marinette anyways! So it was.. It was justified! All she wanted to do was enact justice!” Fei blabbered, eyes glancing up at Mei Shi. 

 

There was no fight to distract her now. She needed his approval. She stared up at him pleadingly like he was an alter to a God that had ignored her prayers. She was in the right, right? But nothing about him gave her any indication of how he felt. She could not read his story. She could not read his intentions. She could not gain his approval.

 

And then Cash just laughed, blood spitting out from between his split lips.

 

“Is that what she told you?! What does she think she is?! Some hero!? Justice– Honestly I’ve never heard of something so stupid. She had me tearing out my hair over how much she talked about wanting her dear ol’ daddy’s murderer dead. I just can’t believe she didn’t suspect me!” He cackled, slapping a palm to his forehead. Fei’s muscles tensed as he continued to smile.

 

“Fucking christ.” Panthera’s eyebrows narrowed.

“You’re a sicko.” Ladybug spat. “You’re a sicko! Why would you do that to–” Her eyes glanced at Fei with pity in her eyes, but bore her anger to Cash with a burning vindicated glare, “-to poor Fei!” 

 

“Because it was convenient for me? God, children are stupid. Don’t you agree, Mr Hawkmoth?” Cash asked, looking up at the purple cloaked villain with a cocky smile. Hawkmoth’s eyes rolled.

 

“I do not care about talking to you.” He groaned.

 

“You both are sickos.” Panthera whispered, copper flecked eyes burning with disgust. Fei’s body just felt weak. Everything she did. Every hurt, every unkindness, every trick she ruined herself more, everything– it was all a waste. The damage she went through, the mud and blood she waded through, drowned in– It was all... for convenience.

 

“You know, it’s FUNNY cause– and that dog will never know this but–” Cash continued on, voice slurred and dizzy with his bleeding head, “-burning that old geezer’s house down was my own little gift for myself. I could’ve stolen all his money but burning the temple down? Yeah. That was just for me.”

 

Fei blinked. What?

 

“See- My father died too.” Cash spat with a pathetic smile on his face, before sneering, “In fact, he died poor. Poor and drunk. Leaving me with nothing and when I needed his teachings most— that fuckface Wu wouldn’t let me get the revenge I wanted. What I needed. I was weak. I needed his strength. But he refused to teach me what I needed, casting me out to the streets like a fucking pig.”

 

Fei felt her shoulders slack. That couldn’t be true. That couldn’t be..

 

“And you know what happened? My old man’s murderer got away! He got away just like I knew he would! I had to hunt him down myself! With my smarts! And you know how much MONEY THAT TOOK ME!? God it was just annoying.” Cash scratched at his neck with irritation.

 

Fei couldn’t believe this shit. She couldn’t believe– she could feel a smoke rising in her lungs as she bellowed and breathed.

 

“So just because da– Wu Shifu didn’t teach you how to kill.. You still ended up killing!? And you ended up killing him!? What are you!? What kind of asshole are you!? How sick are you inside!? You must have been born with it!” Fei snarled, not hearing the way Mei Shi’s joints scraped against his stony joints to stare at her.

 

“Oh shut up, girl. I don’t even know you. So stop judging me. Is this some sort of trial? Christ.” Cash scowled. Fei’s face twitched.

 

“So killing her father- it was all just for revenge then?” Panthera asked slowly. Cash’s eyebrow cocked up interestingly at her.

 

“Nah. Honestly, killing ol’ Wu was not that personal. That was an accident. He was a convenient cow to profit from and yeah- I’d gotten bored and went on burning the temple but him dying? Not intentional. That was his stupid mistake to run back inside.” Cash shrugged half heartedly, scratching his chin, he snorted, “But all in all, I’m just happy to have made some money off of it and get a good pair of hands that could do my dirty work for me—“ 

 

He smirked. 

 

“—especially a pair that would stay for forever so long as I kept her dad’s whittle ‘justice’ hanging over her nose.!”

 

Kick his teeth in.

 

“Right– You never planned on telling her you killed her father.” Ladybug whispered with disbelief. “You planned on just running her around in circles until you had your use out of her! You sicko.!”

 

Tear his throat out.

 

“Obviously not. What am I, stupid!?” Cash scoffed offendedly.

 

KILL HIM.

 

“Yes. You are. You are stupid for telling me this.” Fei uncurled her claws into a gnarled reaching pose. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. KILL HIM. She was about to tear his skin right off his face. “YOU’RE A DISGUSTING FUCKING CRETIN! I’LL RIP YOU LIMB FROM LIMB!”

 

“DID YOU NOT HEAR ME, GIRL? RETURN THE PRODIGIOUS TO ME.”

 

“Here we go,” Panthera hissed, voice bubbling with a heated presence that boiled down Fei’s neck.

 

“Panthera you’re not helping-!” Ladybug began, just a whisper coming in from Fei’s side, a flicker of silver amongst the rot. But Fei only heard Panthera as the cat hero’s tail flicked and muttered–

 

“Partner– There’s nothing we can do to stop this I don’t think, just get ready for another fight-!” 

 

“Christ I just wanted the prodigious to kill you.” Hawkmoth rubbed the space between his eyes with irritation. “This was too much work.”

 

“Flattered. How about you try and finish it for once you fucking bitch-fuck?” Panthera snarled, turning her attention onto him with an aggressive snap of her staff.

 

“Panthera! Stop escalating things! THERE’S ALREADY A LOT HAPPENING!” Ladybug squawked, tugging at her hair. 

 

“Fuck- You all are making my head hurt!”

 

“Shut up!”

 

“I’ll kill you Panthera. And I’ll make it last!”

 

“TRY IT!”

 

“Gladly.”

 

“W-What.? SHIT- PARTNER!”

 

“PANTHERA!”

 

“FEI!”

 

“CAAAAAASSH!” Fei snarled, her blood boiling as she leered over the man, watching as his face went from delirious and bloody stupidity to shocked and terrified horror. Her claws outstretched, reaching to dig and peel back his face till she saw the rot and maggots underneath.

 

She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him

 

She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to kill him. She was going to–

 

“You all disgust me.”

 

Huh?

 

The group froze as the grinding of rock and metal rose over their ears. Fei’s eyes dragged upwards and the black dots in her vision and the red fuzz drawing at the corners of her eyes barely could draw the picture of what she was now witnessing.

 

What was...

 

“Is this what humanity has succumbed to? All violence, greed, and malice!? Where are the values I exist to protect? Where are the reasons humans should even exist!?” Mei Shi growled. His eyes were wide and red, stretched with disgust and rage. His teeth of silver grinded into dust as he rose to his feet, claws extended and gnarly– but what was most peculiar was the glowing butterfly shaped image floating in front of his eyes. “YOU MAKE ME SICK!”

 

“Fuck fuck fuck.” Panthera’s face fell, twisting around with horror and rage. Her claws outstretched, and her eyes wide with intensity, “HAWKMOTH!”

 

But the man just cackled when they all turned to see him, outstretching his hand out to the armored lion and grinning from ear to ear.

 

“Go on YanLuoShi! Chase what you believe is right!” He hissed like the devil had taken his voice and he cocked his head to the side, “Chase your justice–!”

 

What was once the most magnificent Mei Shi, snarled, and began to rise into horrific growing form. 

 

“I WILL CAUSE CARNAGE. I WILL CAUSE DESTRUCTION I WILL BURN IT ALL TO THE GROUND!”

 

 

The roof collapsed down with him as YanLuoShi raised higher, and higher, bursting through the cave and sending rubble and debris flying everywhere. Fei had never been more terrified in so long, and that was saying a lot in her horrible life-

 

But as the rocks above them, the stalactites and crystals, had threatened to finally bury them alive, the group made it out with a swell of energy and ceaseless screaming- bursting through the waterfall with a gasp and a shout, before they all were sent tumbling down the rocky hill with a tied up and now unconscious Cash in un-gentle tow.

 

They finally came to a stop at the foot of the waterfall and Fei choked on a horrid gasp as the entire temple had been reduced to further smithereens in the shape of YanLuoShi’s horrifically large foot. 

 

In fact- the monstrous nightmare of armor and exposed insides via his ectoplasmic like skin only kept moving forward, his eyes focused on the city with disgust in his gaze. He wants to destroy the city. Fei realized with horror.

 

Panthera’s ears drooped, blinking very blankly. 

 

“Maybe I do have a concussion.” She mumbled.

 

The group, abandoning Cash’s body next to a rock, scurried after him before finding a hidden refuge behind a collapsed pillar- where they witnessed Hawkmoth hop of YanLuoShi’s shoulder and stand at his side.

 

“Do you two usually deal with giant monster kaiju from this asshole!?” Fei hissed through her teeth. Panthera’s ear twitched.

 

“Usually they’re a bit smaller. And.. colorful.” Panthera remarked slightly. The group winced, watching as Hawkmoth suddenly started hurling obscenities at the beast, waving his arms and pointing and waving and screaming. 

 

“What’s he doing now?!” 

 

“Maybe he’s trying to control him?” Ladybug halfheartedly suggested. She added an awkwardly manic laugh, “Y’know we don’t actually get to see him control his akumas a lot. The idea that he just sits in a cave all day yelling orders at them hopelessly is kinda funn-”

 

And then YanLuoShi shot a laser directly at Hawkmoth, dissolving his entire body and turning him into a cloud of ash and smoke scattering out into the wind.

 

Their jaws dropped, mortified.

 

They had no idea what to say just, silent terror filling them to the brim as the realization of what had been unleashed out onto the world just hit Fei.

 

Panthera slowly brought out her staff- and snapped another photo.

 

And then suddenly her staff started to ring–

 

“If HEAVEN AND HELL DECIDE THAT THEY BOTH ARE SATISFIED~!”

 

“Shit- shit shit shit–!” Panthera panicked, grasping at her staff desperately, trying to silence the sudden call that had so unluckily started to ring out. Ladybug tugged at her ribbons, looking like she was losing her damn mind.

 

“HANG UP ON HER!”

 

“I CAN’T HANG UP ON MY GIRLFRIEND I HAVEN’T EVEN ANSWERED!” 

 

“THEN DON’T ANSWER!” Ladybug exclaimed. Panthera shook her head frantically, sweating rolling down her face.

 

“But if I don’t answer she’ll be worried!!”

 

”THIS IS WHY WE SHOULDN’T DATE AS HEROES!”  

 

“YOU!” Fei’s heart plummeted, as YanLuoShi’s head immediately swerved around to glare at them. He snarled, pointing down at Fei with a thunderous roar.

 

Fei stumbled back with fear, terror leapt up into her throat, a burning pain seethed inside her chest. The two french heroes darted in front of her protectively, arms outstretched to defend her- but Fei couldn’t hear them over the pounding of her heartbeat echoing through her ears.

 

She was this close to getting what she had wanted for so long. So why did she feel so awful? So vile. So scared. It was splitting her up in the middle. All she wanted was to feel good for once in her life. To be free from her goddamn curse. Why didn’t she feel good about this anymore? Why did she hate the feeling of his blood on her hands? If her catharsis wasn’t this what else was there? 

 

What else was there!?

 

“FEI MOVE!”

 

Fei’s eyes snapped wide as the light of YanLuoShi’s laser came cleaving downwards, driving a path right towards them ready to cremate them– her– her feet were glued to the ground but a wire found its way to hug around her waist and drag her sideways just in time.

 

She landed heavily in someone’s arms, Panthera’s, and the group immediately began to run- run- run.

 

YanLuoShi growled and began to walk his way through the river, rippling waves and crashing water against the boardwalk- the bund. He was going to kill them all. He was going to kill them all.

 

“We gotta get there faster!”

 

“R-Right–!” Fei nodded shakily, she focused, she focused, she focused. “Ma!”

 

Her hooves clopped hard against the tile and ground, she burned her muscles as she forced herself to run faster- faster- faster- with Panthera and Ladybug hoisted firmly on her back. Fei’s eyes stung with held back tears. Why was she crying? Fei didn’t understand. She wanted her dad to wipe them away. Her dad was gone.

 

“WOAH!”

 

Fei’s ears perked up and she screeched to a stop. The entire road was decimated. Cement and lights broken and scattered across the rubble in only the form of smithereens and ash.

 

A laser cleaved through the ground near them and they retreated behind a fallen cart of toys. Peeking around it- to stare- Her mouth only dried further, falling back to human form with buckling knees. The dried screams that radiated from the burning remains of the city’s bund was still echoing out like ghastly reflections of whoever was here. 

 

There was so much, fire.

 

Endless, fire.

 

There was so much- Every time she closed her eyes it was just that scene. The sting of smoke and embers in her face, filling her lungs with ash, and the terrible wounds that gashed against her skins with ebony burns and singing suffering-

 

Fei’s life ended in that fire– The last bits of her soul were torn away with her father’s precious bracelet– It was all just so much and for what? And for what?

 

And for what?

 

Every part of her life had been another stab through her chest, so Fei simply pulled it all the way through. She simply sharpened the edge. If she was already burning- burning- burning- like she always had since that terrible night- then why not let it spread?

 

Well- She had let it spread.

 

Fei had let it spread and now all of these poor, poor people- This poor city. It was all in flames. She’d ruined it all. Fei’s hands shook, staring at her bloody claws and knuckles. And there was the lion beast, that, titan standing amongst the river’s waves like a commander of her personal hell. Her chest seized with fear, with fear, so much fear.

 

“GIVE THE PRODIGIOUS BACK TO ME YOU UNWORTHY LITTLE WASTE! GIVE IT BACK!” YanLuoShi bellowed into the sky, his voice echoing into the air like thunder and rain. “YOU ARE A DISHONOR TO THAT DUTY. YOU ARE A DISHONOR TO YOUR FATHER!”

 

“I should’ve killed Cash sooner,” Fei whispered brokenly.

 

“That’s what you’re thinking of right now!?” Ladybug shrieked, turning to Fei wide eyed and manic.

 

“Because then at least I wouldn’t be here,” Fei muttered, hands shaking at her sides. “I just needed him to die. And then everything would be fine and over. Why’d it have to turn out like this?”

 

“That’s what you want!? You’ve lived your entire life just wanting to kill this one guy!?” Ladybug exclaimed weakly, but Fei just crumpled- curling up tight against the side of the cart. Ladybug’s lips quivered, “If you knew who Cash was, was, one year ago or two years ago, this probably could’ve still happened! Or hey, m-maybe something worse!? Er- I mean less- worse?!”

 

“I- I–” Fei struggled. She clasped her claws over the prodigious hanging over her heart, and squeezed tightly. There was such a painful heat in her chest. It burned, it stung, it was agony to live. It was agony to breathe.

“Partner, I’m not sure if you’re trying to encourage or scold.”

 

“Y-Yeah I don’t know either, can you take over?”

 

“Well I-”

 

Another explosion rocked the earth and Fei felt the burning in her chest rise to her throat, till a choked gasp fled her lips. Oh god. Oh god. This was all her fault. This was all her fault. Why was she here? Why was she saved? Why did she survive when it felt like she was merely rotting and walking?

 

“Woah woah. Fei, Fei. Hey. Can you hear me?”

 

“Fei breathe!”

 

“I don’t, I don’t want to, I want to just-” Fei dug her face into her palms, hiding, hiding, hiding. She didn’t want to exist anymore. She was just a dirty little monster. 

 

“WHERE ARE YOU? GIVE THE PRODIGIOUS BACK!”

 

“I know, I know you want to kill him.” Cash’s perfect thieving, bloody, hand. She was so close. She was so close to killing him. How could she puss out so late? How dare she feel guilty for what he’d done!?-

 

“YOU MISTAKE. YOU CARELESS, GNAT.”

 

“I don’t want him to exist anymore.” She mumbled. His shadow, his bloody goddamn shadow over her shoulder. The way he haunted her like a living phantom, the way he puppeted her father’s memory right before her eyes, the way her body bent to his perfect anger and hatred–!

 

“GIVE IT BACK TO ME!”

 

“What do you need right now? Tell me.” Panthera asked and Fei’s entire body unraveled into tears. Because what else did she need? What was it, if not Cash, did she chase for so many horrible horrible years?

 

"I JUST NEED IT ALL TO END!" Fei sobbed into her claws, voice splintering with pain. She needed her dad. She needed peace. She needed freedom. She needed for this damn hell to stop burning her.

 

"It– It will!" The cat hero dropped to her knees, rushing to take her shoulders in her grip, "It will end. Do you understand me? It will end. I promise! But will killing this man bring the end to this that you want?"

 

“Fei-! Breathe.”

 

“THIEF!”

 

“Renren-! Calm down-!”

 

"COULD EVERYONE STOP TRYING TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO! I SAID I'M GOING TO KILL!-"

 

"I'm not telling you what to do! And I’m not asking what you need to do!" The cat hero interrupted, making Fei fall silent with shock as her emerald eyes shone deep into her soul, digging into her like the salty depths that she couldn't stare into- she squeezed her eyes shut to it all. She couldn't. She couldn't. And yet the cat hero's voice still rang, "I just want to ask you; what do you , Fei, WANT!?"

 

Fei's eyes snapped wide open. She felt lost in the sea of gold and tears. Her lungs felt like, ice, then fire, and then it was like everything in her body was burning. And suddenly she could imagine her hands in blood. Warm, warm blood. And then she can imagine herself standing above a torn apart body. For hours and hours.

 

No more Cash. No more people getting hurt by him. Just him, and his murderer. That was it wasn't it. And then what after? What would she be? What would there be left of her? Who was she anymore? Who was Fei beyond grief. Who would Fei be beyond killer? Would there still be pain? 

 

"I— ..I don't know anymore," Fei whispered. My father wanted me to have this power. I can see it now. He wanted to prepare me to take care of it.. She thought, gazing at her bloodsoaked knuckles. Her lips quivered. But I am not worthy of this power. And I am not worthy of his love. I was never worthy . Tears welled up in her eyes, and she just wanted to run.

 

And so she did.

 

“F-Fei wait!” Ladybug shouted but they were all just strangers strangers what could they know they were all just strangers strangers strangers. Fei stumbled, feet clopping against the ground, clawing, scraping— smoke and plumage in her lungs as she burned her muscles to sprout wings—

 

She let out a cry and a glow burst from her lungs— and Fei flew away.

 

 

They watched the gigantic pheasant take to the skies with no turning back.  

 

“Fucking-! Okay! No no okay! We can– We can handle it— no this is all good we’re all good!” Ladybug clapped her hands together. Juleka’s ears drooped, looking over her with concern. Ladybug looked back and her entire face just read panic. “I’ve had a rough night.”

 

“I can imagine.”

 

“But she’s had a worse night. A worse life! I don’t know how to- I don’t know how to fix this!” Ladybug exclaimed, before shaking her head in a panic. “Nevermind! I can’t think about this-!”

 

B-Beep!

 

“Partner-” Panthera began uneasily, but Ladybug didn’t listen, turning heel and immediately making her way towards the crashing titan, aiming her yoyo outwards with a glare in her eyes.

 

“We’ll talk after this guy is dealt with! Come on, Panthera! Hurry!”

 

Juleka stood, left behind at the road as Ladybug whizzed through the air. The cat hero kicked at the ground a little, staring at her ring with concern, specifically at her timer. Ladybug was running out of more time than she was.

 

But she was too in her head tonight it seemed. She glanced up, biting her lip, before running after her.

 

Landing hard against the side of YanLuoShi, her heart raced in her ears as she moved to climb- higher and higher- faster and faster. Her claws dug hard into the surface of his phlegmy skin and his obsidian esc armor, but she caught herself slipping as his body writhed and yanked she and Ladybug as they struggled to traverse up his body.

 

“Hey! Big guy! How about you pick someone your own–!” She wasn’t able to finish her quip at the sound of her staff ringing. Her ears perked up excitedly and she immediately picked it up with a smile, “Hi baby! Sorry I missed your call, but the good news is we found Marinette! I-”

 

“OH MY GOD JULES YOU’RE ALIVE THANK GOD SHANGHAI IS ON THE NEWS! WHAT’S HAPPENING OVER THERE!?” Ah. Juleka cringed. She worried Rose. She wasn’t sure how she did that, nothing bad even happened to her yet, but, she suppoesd a kaiju scenario was pretty worrying.

 

“Well that makes sense, this being on the news,” Her eyes thinned as a flash of light flashed by them. She squinted through the illumination and saw a helicopter shining a spotlight on the monster. He took it out with a rageful roar, sending a laser to shoot it out of the sky. Annnd there it goes.

 

“OH MY GOD THE NEWS IS GONE! ARE YOU SAFE?! ARE YOU OKAY!?” Rose shrieked in her ear. Juleka cursed, hoisting herself up one of YanLuoShi’s buckles and hung on there as his body turned and lashed out in response to Ladybug’s swinging. 

 

“Yeep! I’m uh, hanging on, sunbeam! Don’t you- worry!” Juleka’s voice waned as YanLuoShi moved in a particularly harsh way, sending Ladybug to fly through the air with a shout and strain claws losing their grip on his belt. She grimaced, glancing to the side to see through his stomach and witness what looked like a pulsing ball deep within his organs that shown through his translucent skin.

 

Her eyes widened. She was wondering where his akumatized object went. Gross. Her ears perked as her ring beeped and quickly, Panthera refocused.

 

“What was that beeping sound?”

 

“Ah, an uh, alarm clock. It’s really early over here where this is all happening.” Juleka quickly said, her face softened, “I gotta go! My phone’s dying but I’ll call you once I’m able to!”

 

“J-Jules!”

 

Another beep from her ring, Juleka glanced up at Ladybug still struggling to swing around YanLuoShi as he blocked and predicted her ever ingrowing impatient attacks.

 

“I’ll call you again when this is all over,” Juleka promised, “I love y-!”

 

Her ears perked up- her hair raised. She clicked the end call button a bit too fast as a sudden hand came crashing down towards her. Juleka yelped, jumping over the hand just in time- before she dashed up his gauntlet with growing intent.

 

Neither she or Ladybug could fight them in the states they were in. Exhausted, rusty, and at the limits of their power. Panthera clenched her fist close to her heart as she flipped onto the titan’s shoulder and dived in a leap of faith as his hand flew by her, having aimed to smush her like a bug.

 

Falling towards the inky black waters, rippling and illuminated only by the monster’s illuminated glow, Panthera was caught just in time by a familiar whizzing wire that wrapped around her forearm like a trusting hand. Her hair lashed through the air as she continued to fall, before the wire finally caught taut and she let her heels scrape across the waters, sending splatters behind her.

 

“Panthera!” She looked up, gliding across the waters and beneath YanLuoShi like a jet skier and saw Ladybug coming her way- on the other side of him- having caught her by his shoulder before dropping behind him to make her swing towards the cat hero with determined eyes and a desperate smile.

 

Panthera let go of the wire and leapt to his pant leg, smiling as Ladybug did the same across from her.

 

“Evening, Partner!” She shouted with a playful salute.

 

“Not a good one!” Ladybug bantered back. The two ignored the way YanLuoShi stomped and shouted with indignation. The spray of water sprinkled across Panthera’s face and arms, the coolness of the river contrasted against the heat of the summer night and the sweat that stuck to her skin.

 

“I didn’t say it was one!” She said back, before her eyes furrowed, “I’m running out of time on my ring!”

 

“I know! I’m running out of time, too!” Ladybug exclaimed. “But we have to defeat him now! To prevent further damage!”

 

“I don’t know if we can defeat him at all, bug! I mean we probably could think of something but..!” Panthera yelled, much to Ladybug’s confliction in her expression. The world spun around them as YanLuoShi struggled to rid them off his legs. 

 

A mournful cry rang out in the sky and neither missed the flash of red and golden feathers that streaked across the sky. The two heros’ eyes met and Panthera’s lips pursed. She looked up and began to climb, trusting Ladybug to do the same.

 

As Panthera knew she would- the two met at his belt where Panthera held Ladybug’s shoulder tightly and pulled her closer and closer until their eyes met with the ferocity and closeness only enemies or lovers could rival.

 

“We could go recharge and try and think of something new,” The cat hero said. Her ring beeped.

 

“I don’t like passing stuff off to others,” Ladybug whined. Her earrings beeped.

 

“Yeah, I know that. That’s why I’m offering the first option.” Panthera replied cheekily. Their earrings beeped. Their eyebrows furrowed with worry.

 

“Right but,” Ladybug began. Another mournful cry echoed in the sky, spurring an enraged roar from the akuma they clung onto. The two looked up, and Ladybug sighed, “Look- I- What’s your verdict? You're the therapist between us.”

 

“I don’t know if she’s like, mentally okay enough to do this. Though neither of us are mentally okay enough to have this job either,” Juleka remarked thinly, much to Ladybug’s denial-filled look of offense. Her ear flicked, “But I think, this might be.. what she needs.”

 

The two nodded to each other, and in a flash of darkness and the glitter of moonlight, the two disappeared off of YanLuoShi’s armor and into the smoke and fire, following the trail of fallen fathers into the city.

 

 

Up in the skies, Fei could witness the fires of the once magnificent beast turned horrific monster.

 

And it was all her fault.

 

The wind blew through her plumage and she could feel a pain rise in her chest, then her arms. Her wings buckled mid air, her body flashed with warning, and so Fei took a dive towards the clocktower– making it to the ground just in time for her avian form to give up on her.

 

“Ggh–!”

 

Her body collapsed against the ground, and she felt so weak. Looking down at herself, she was not met with her prodigious armor, but her hands. Her real hands. Skin, flesh, uncovered by her scaley protection and revealing her horrid scars of marred and burnt flesh that never felt like it truly healed.

 

And yet, despite her untransformed state, there were the renlings- floated above her, like a court to her own execution. 

 

“Why aren’t my powers working at all anymore,?” Fei weakly asked, she felt small in their devine glow. She was small.

 

“Do not mistake us, our little Fei.”

 

“Do not-”

 

“We aren’t the ones that deny you.”

 

“-Deny.”

 

“It’s you than denies yourself.”

 

“-It’s you.”

 

“It’s up to-”

 

“It must be-

 

“What you do next, it must be up to you.” The largest voice echoed and burned against her cheek, the dragon’s that thundered above stared at her with the sun and moon in his eyes. And yet, he descended himself, resting on her hands.

 

“What if all I can do next is this? What if all there is to me?” Fei asked weakly, she hung her head between her shoulders. She sniffled, “All I wanted was peace.”

 

“Darling, girl. There is no peace in revenge. There is no peace in it. There is no righting a wrong in it. It’s just another choice. It’s just an attempt at catharsis few do feel for.” The small dragon tipped her chin up, “No matter if the spirit of your father leaves you with the shed of new blood- you will only carry a new burdened soul upon your back. Torturing you- over and over again. And you will never be satisfied.”

 

“Then what?” Fei asked, but only watched as the dragon floated backwards. She turned around to the others but they were fading. She panicked, gripping her pendent tighter in her hand, tears prickling at the edge of her eyes, “THEN WHAT!?”

 

“What comes next has to be up to you, Fei. What comes next is your destiny to finish.”

 

Her body jumped, and she stared upwards. The sky had been flooded with pure gold, streams of colors crackling across the building like veins and rising upwards beyond, ribbons of light twirling freely and without reason- bleeding like ink through the air- and leading her gaze only higher and higher to see the chorus of faces and eyes staring down at her.

 

There were the renlings, no longer small and appealing but larger than life deities that seemed colossal compared to any impersonation of their animalistic forms. Claws and fangs, hooves and feathers– and at the very top, leering in fully scaled and furred form, was the dragon.

 

You have two choices, little one.” He whispered gently, “Either you end this tale with bloodshed and endless sorrow– or you let it go.”

 

“Well HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO LET IT GO!?” Fei pleaded for an answer. She clutched her head, “That’s a bullshit response.! How am I supposed to just- forget this all happened? To forget how much every day has hurt since then– HE BURNT MY HOUSE DOWN AND MURDERED THE ONE PERSON WHO HAS EVER LOVED ME!”

 

“We know,” The chorus whispered sympathetic sorrow and Fei writhed as her chest ached and burned.

 

“HE TURNED ME INTO A GODDAMN MONSTER! HIS ATTACK DOG! HIS PET!” Fei screamed, tearing her face into her hands.

 

“We know,” The chorus swirled around her like clouds. Fei’s knees buckled as they curled around her, pressing against her shoulders and 

 

“AND I COULDN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!” Fei sobbed, holding onto the bear for comfort as he stared with sadness as her body continued to wilt. 

 

She inhaled a shaky breath. It hurt. It hurt so much to think about. It hurt so much to relive. She wanted to stop suffering. She wanted to stop holding this pain. But how could she? How would she ever be allowed to? When– 

 

Fei whispered, “It’s all my fault. I’m a horrible daughter, I’m a horrible person-”

 

“No. No, child. It was never your fault. Nor was it ever a choice you could imagine making.” Fei’s eyes slowly opened, bleary and red with tears. She hesitantly looked up and watched as the dragon Renling slowly floated down towards her and pressed its nose against her hands. Warm. 

 

“How do I let it go..?” Fei croaked, pleading to the meaning of her existence with a weakness and a desperation. “What am I supposed to do?”

 

“Forgive.” 

 

“I can’t forgive him.” Fei pressed her forehead against the scales. It felt so warm. “I can’t live knowing what I’ve done because of him. For him. There’s so little for me in this horrible world.”

 

“Forgive Yourself, Fei. Let yourself Live for You.” Her eyes slowly opened and she watched as her golden view began to drift and flicker from her vision- but not to disappear- instead- to highlight her own reality.

 

The plain bricks and cracked cement of the building, the disgusting streets below now burning with the damages she left behind- they were all outlined in gold. Beautiful, beautiful, gold.

 

And her heart leapt.

 

Her world was beautiful, even as it’s ugly and flawed self.

 

Her world was still worth protecting, even as it’s ugly and flawed self.

 

It deserved to be protected.

 

Fei sighed softly, closing her eyes. ..What on earth was that beeping?

 

“Hey! Fei! Er uh– RenRen!”

 

She turned around hesitantly, and saw Panthera and Ladybug- seemingly soaking from head to toe with either river water or uh.. Sweat. Maybe both. They both looked terribly exhausted and something on them was beeping? 

 

“Are- are you okay?! You uh, you get a good cry in?” Ladybug asked. Fei inhaled, and for the first time in years- she felt, okay. She felt, alive. She nodded firmly, and smiled.

 

“I am, I’m feeling, I’m feeling better.” Fei said, her tone hardy and strong. And, she felt like she meant it this time. She wouldn’t be okay for a long time- but- Fei felt.. better.

 

“Oh.” Ladybug paused, and she smiled, rapidly nodding, “Cool- cool cool cool.”

 

“Y-Yeah! Your makeup still looks good, girl. You look great.”

 

“W-What?” Fei blinked, she touched her face and saw black left on her fingertips. She scowled, “Aw damn it my mascara.”

 

“You look great, queen, I always carry extra on me if you wanna fix it up later, but the thing is; we’re about to detransform- and we’ve already left YanLuoShi alone for way too long. But we don’t know what to do and..” Panthera began to anxiously blabber. Fei’s eyebrows raised, and turned, seeing the giant unleash his terror against the city. Her eyebrows furrowed, clutching the amulet around her neck.

 

A new fire lit inside her chest.

 

“I’ve got it handled,” Fei said. She punched her fists together and let the warmth of her transformation take hold of her once more. Except, this time it felt different. 

 

She felt, steadier. The thrum of heat that traveled up her lungs felt fresh. It no longer felt like it was pulsing out of the prodigious like a heart pumping blood, but it felt like it traveled from her fingertips- like electricity- begging her to be released through the air.

 

“Don’t worry about YanLuoShi. I’ll take care of him.” Fei said, voice focused and powerful. She turned to the two heroes with fire in her eyes, “You two do whatever it is you need to do and save as many civilians as possible. Keep them away from the water.”

 

“We’ve got your back, Fei.” Ladybug exclaimed, “L-Like; If you need a plan, I’ve got one. I’ve got a great plan. I just need a GIANT jug- Or or if you like- need some distraction, Panthera–”

 

“THERE YOU ARE!”

 

An explosion rocked through the tower, splitting the ground they stood on by the middle. The heroes shouted, they yelled, and they clambered in shock- running away through the cover of rubble and flying debris- but Fei stood, letting the floor fall beneath her. She fell, she fell, diving into the darkness, smoke, and flames-

 

And she drifted into the depths of her mind, she gripped her prodigious tight, and she thought of her father. 

 

Fei thought of how kind he was.

 

She smiled at the memory of, him tapping a wad of whipped cream to her nose. She sighed tiredly at the memory of when he tried to show off his old photos of him and his college girlfriend. She cried at the memory of their last night before the fire together, how mundane it was. 

 

The world was cruel and it never truly gave back to him what he gave to it. But, he had always made her feel like a gift.

 

He always wanted to make things right in the world. He always wanted the lives around him to be better. Fei always wondered what it felt like to be him. She wasn’t sure if she ever could be him. But now, she felt like she could grow to understand.

 

It wasn’t about being him, it wasn’t about fixing his burned image, but to share what made him see the world for the beauty it truly held. 

 

Fei slowly opened her eyes, it felt like time had shifted to slow motion- she was burning from the inside out now. She wanted to make things right now. Not just for others, not just for the world, but herself. She deserved to live. The world deserved to live. 

 

One step at a time.

 

And that step, started, here.

 

Fei inhaled.

 

“Longg.”

 

And then suddenly there was light.




The dragon burst from the fallen building with the grace rivaled to god. She let out a roar that rivaled the deepest of storms into the air. A thunder’s rumble echoed through the air and she cut through the growing rain that cut against her skin like a slithering serpent. 

 

She was that dragon.

 

And there she dived, headfirst towards the river before stopping just in time to rise and meet YanLuoShi in the eyes with her lips curled back and electricity crackling off her scaly skin. 

 

“MEI SHI!” The dragon cried out towards the beast, reeling closer to him; she let go of that thrumming current of power to meet his gaze with a sympathetic and sorrowful warmth. “You must stop this at once!”

 

“You’ve unlocked the dragon..” The armored lion growled, before his metal face twisted with disgust and disbelief. He shook his head, “Impossible! You are unfit! You are unworthy! You don’t comprehend the values the way they must be!”

 

“I was wrong before, I understand the truth now. I’m sorry I didn’t get it before!” Fei shouted towards him. She reached a claw out, “Please, calm down. I’m not here to fight you, I’m here to save you!”

 

He wasn’t having any of it. She spun around his thrusting arm, and flew around him- the waters and its foam splashing away from her like she’d commanded their force. Her glowing form shined against its reflection before she reeled behind YanLuoShi- distracting his laser’s away from the city and to the sky to which she dodged.

 

“IT DOESN’T MATTER IF YOU SEEMED TO HAVE CAUGHT ONTO THESE IDEALS WHEN THE WORLD HAS ROTTED.” 

 

Fei darted out from behind him to back in front, lashing her tail, she brought a wave of water to splash against him- leading him to snarl in retaliation. 

 

“MY EXISTENCE. MY EXILE. IT WAS TO PROTECT THESE VALUES. THESE WAYS OF PROTECTION. TO ENSURE THEIR BEINGS IN THIS WORLD!” He proclaimed with pride and pain, his voice broke with a snarl, “BUT IF THIS WORLD DOES NOT VALUE THESE VALUES. THEN WHAT IS THE POINT IF IT, OR I, EXISTING!?”

 

Fei let out a shout as he suddenly grabbed her by the tail and struck her down against the surface of the water. Before she could even begin to sink, he yanked her out, thrashing her through the air before striking her by the side. She yowled with pain, careening through the air before she crashed against the water’s surface once more.

 

She seethed, struggling to rise up from the waves. A whizzing came by her ear and she looked up, seeing a familiar red blur come to swing by her horn and land on her nose.

 

“Fei! The akuma’s in his stomach! I have a plan! It involves a lot of water and a giant vase!”

 

“DON’T LISTEN TO HER FEI! SHE’S NOT ALLOWED TO GET EATEN BY ANYMORE AKUMAS!”

 

Ladybug huffed, and swung off Fei’s snout much to her confusion and amusement. Her eyes tracked the small hero, and it led her sight to see Panthera amongst the citizens of Shanghai, moving them along into the safety of the deeper city. Fei winced, body throbbing with pain but then she met all of those people’s eyes and the fear they felt.

 

Determination flooded into her and she raised herself up to her feet, and then, into the air. YanLuoShi met her eyes with a sneer and he readied into a fighting stance, before stepping forward and roaring with a beam from his laser firing at her.

 

Fei let out her own snarl and screamed out a roar with a burning in her throat, unleashing a powerful ray of lightning and fire from her mouth- cutting the titan’s laser off with an explosion of light and sound. Soon, it faded. And Fei flew higher. 

 

YanLuoShi growled, meeting the challenge and sent another laser, to which Fei countered once again with another strike of lightning from her electrifying maw.

 

She flew even higher, higher, and YanLuoShi growled with rage as he continued to try and aim at her-

 

And then his back craned back a bit too far and the light show ended with a short; “W-What?” and a humongous splash of water. Now. A voice hissed in her mind. Without giving YanLuoShi a moment to stand, Fei dived, and grabbed the fallen beast by the heels. 

 

She couldn’t fight him here.

 

Not with so many people in danger.

 

Her head snapped upwards, eyes focusing onto the dark and swirling storm and she forced her body to shoot into the sky, chasing after its thunder and rain. 

 

Fei was scared. Fei was calm. Her heartbeat thundered in her ears, beating, louder, louder, so loud. Overwhelming. And it wasn’t until the flash of light that blurred her across her eyes did she realize how high they truly were- and the smell of warm rain and burning ozone filled her lungs.

 

Rain, darkness, and the sky surrounded the two and only then did her focus loosen enough for YanLuoShi to take her by the neck and grapple her in their skybound arena. 

 

She let out a roar, and snapped back, biting into his wrist and demanded him to let go. A strike, a strike, a flail. YanLuoShi struggled against her as the two fell from the sky. Lightning flashed around them as they rustled and turned through the air, careening downwards in a typhoon of wind and red.

 

“I DID NOT SIT ALONE, IN THAT MISERABLE CAVE-” YanLuoShi smashed his fist into her jaw, “-SURROUNDED BY ALL MY DISAPPOINTED FRIENDS AND ALL MY DEAD GUARDIANS-” She clawed his face away only for him to grab it, “-FOR OVER A MILENA! JUST TO LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE THE HUMANS THAT CREATED ME AREN’T EVEN WORTH-” He bashed his forehead into her one, leaving her to shout, “-PROTECTING!”

 

“But they are worth protecting! They are! It’s hard to see through all the bad but, I think it’s true! I think it’s true!” Fei pleaded, tears stung in her eyes, “The world is worth living in, Mei Shi! It’s worth keeping alive!”

 

“I AM NOT MEI SHI ANYMORE!” He snarled, as the two spun through the air, diving, diving, diving. The lion protector grit his metal teeth, “I’M YANLUOSHI! I AM A MONSTER! I AM A DESTROYER! I AM–”

 

“THAT’S NOT YOU!”

 

And then, they burst through the clouds, and there was earth. 

 

They crashed together into the water once more like shooting stars. The waves splashed high around them, and returned down with the rain. When Fei raised, YanLuoShi’s strength failed against him.

 

Her claws, which had pressed hard against his stomach, lifted off of him and she watched his chest seize. With a glow from his mouth, he flipped over onto his side and wheezed out a hacking sound- 

 

And there a ball, burning bright and crackling with a corruptive energy, floated out of his mouth and into the water. Fei picked it up in her claws and held her instinct to grimace with disgust. Dragging him gently to shore, she met Ladybug and Panthera there with relief in her eyes.

 

Fei set it down next to them and watched Panthera reach her hand out gently and touch it. Her eyes widened slightly as a flash of green light and icky blackness overtake the cat hero’s hand and stretch over the metal of the ball against her palm. The metal rusted, then, eroded, crumbling completely to dust and leaving nothing but shattered pieces behind- and the fluttering of a fragile butterfly.

 

In a flash of red, Ladybug caught it in her yoyo and smiled. Fei breathed in, and let her dragon body collapse to the ground- falling- falling- till her feet touched ground and she stood, back straightened, and feeling just as strong in her human form.

 

Ladybug opened up her yoyo and Fei watched the heavenly light pour out of it, releasing a small pristine white butterfly into the air with the gentleness of an angel.

 

“Bye bye, little butterfly,”

 

Fei’s ears perked up as YanLuoShi let out a haggard sigh next to her, she watched, as his entire form was overtaken by a black smoke, and then, dissolved- shrinking further and further until out from the darkness was the true Mei Shi spat out in dizzy and staggering form. She caught him as he fell to his knees, holding him steady as he caught his breath.

 

“W-What happened?” He asked uneasily, standing up to his feet. He glanced at her, his gaze silently clicking together pieces of a quiet puzzle as his eyebrows furrowed together with intrigue and awe, “You.. managed to harness the power of the dragon?”

 

“I had some help,” Fei chuckled softly, glancing over to Ladybug and Panthera with a grateful smile. Mei Shi slowly nodded, before his eyes drew up and stretched comedically wide with horror.

 

“H-Huh?” He sputtered, shoulders slacking with humiliation at the sight of the broken and damaged city. He clutched his head with shame, seeking her eyes for.. Forgiveness. “Am I the one who did all of that?” He shook his head guiltily, threatening to fall to his knees once more, “What a terrible violation of humanity..”

 

“Ah-Ah-Ah-Ah! Don’t worry!” Ladybug piped up, digging deep into her pockets, sticking her tongue out goofily. “I made a lucky charm, it’ll fix everything, we got you covered!”

 

“Here,” Panthera flicked her hand out and presented it to Ladybug, spurring out a stretched expression of shock and offense.

 

“Hey!”

 

“Call me a bit of a pickpocket.” Panthera winked at Fei, much to her slight confusement. Ladybug poked Panthera in the side with a playful pout, before turning to Fei with a smile. Opening up her hand, was a ruby red replica of her father’s bracelet. 

 

Ladybug took Fei’s hands and they held it together, before launching it into the air with a shared shout;

 

“MIRACULOUS LADYBUG!”

 

The ray of light cleared through the clouds, separating the storm into a shower of red and pink. The fires in the city died out with a hiss, before buildings re-rose and people returned in swirls of color. 

 

Soon, the clouds passed by Fei, and she felt hundreds of thousands little ladybugs kiss her wounds and pains away with the gentleness of the moon and sun’s chill and warmth. Fei felt light, as a feather. For the first time in so long, she felt what it was like to be without pain or numbness.

 

Soon, the glow faded. There was cheering in the streets, Fei witnessed the joy of family’s collapsing together in each other’s arms. There were cheers, there were people getting interviewed, and there was the smell of rain in her lungs.

 

“Thank you, Fei. You did wonderfully.” Her eyes widened and she glanced up at Mei Shi stared down at her with admiration. “My mind was too clouded and possessed with blind rage that I couldn’t congratulate you and what you’ve accomplished.” 

 

He brought his hands together, readying for a bow.

 

“Your life has been difficult, and it’s been unkind, but you focused on the greater good and what you could accomplish with the kindness that still breathes in your heart. You’ve proven yourself,” He bowed his head low, and his voice brimmed with gentleness and strength, “You are worthy of the Prodigious- And your father would be proud, Renren.”

 

And then, in a flash of gentle light, he was gone. When that happened, Fei felt a deep pain that burned in her chest, leaving her too.

 

She sighed with quiet relief, and smiled.

 

Now, the next thing to right. 

 

 

“You destroyed my father’s school, made me an orphan, and then you forced me to steal for you with a scheme which you planned to keep me leashed until you ran out of needs for me.”

 

“Nonono. PLEASE, FEI! LET’S WIPE THE SLATE CLEAN!”

 

They’d found Cash back in the caves, struggling to pick up one of the many priceless crystals that were embedded in the sides of the wall- before Panthera had kicked him to the ground and let Fei tower over him with fire in her eyes.

 

Fei wondered what to do with him. She’d always wanted revenge. She always pictured this moment of standing above her perpetrator with a sort of beaming light coming down upon her, or the fires of hell coming to consume them both. But it was just, quiet, and dark.

 

What satisfying, book ending revenge; be killing him? Would it be to see him simply suffer? Was that what revenge was? Was that what justice was? Was her revenge simply stopping him? What if revenge was just making peace with herself?

 

What could she do with herself? What could she do for herself?

 

What would she do, if she was better?

 

Fei closed her eyes and grimaced, and when her eyes opened, she let them burn into Cash with seething expression.

 

“If I were to blow you into a billion pieces- if I were to delight myself in splattering you across the ground- and I meticulously- very meticulously counted every droplet of blood you wasted. It would not amount to a HUNDRETH of my sheer hate for you.!” Fei spat, clutching tight to her chest with a ripple in her snarl.

 

“Please, Fei. Please. PLEASE. Please, please.” Cash pleaded, terribly, blubbering, his eyes wide with fear and desperation as she leered over him with extending claws and fury in her eyes. “I’ll give you ANYTHING you want just don’t fucking–!”

 

“I WANT MY FATHER BACK YOU SON OF A FUCKING BITCH!”

 

He inhaled sharply.

 

Fei stared deep into his eyes burning with deep hatred, and tightening the grip of her claws wrapped around his throat. And then, she let him go.

 

He slumped against the ground, eyes glassy with tears and a shock that hazed through his senses. Fei closed her eyes. She could imagine it. She could imagine his story from earlier being true;

 

She could imagine a slightly less balding Cash, maybe around 20, or hey, maybe even her own age- standing at the shallow grave of his father. And then she could feel the unsettling shiver that writhed up her spine when she imagined putting herself in his place.

 

Fei glanced over to him and sneered.

 

He looked so small now.

 

How could he ever make her fear him?

 

“I dreamt of killing you,” She said smoothly, spurring a chill up the coward’s slimy spine. “There are few words to describe such devotion. But, in this life, I’ve decided I must let justice run its course.”

 

“O- Oh.” Cash sputtered, and then smiled brightly, “O-Oh Fei! You darling! You’re so kind and sweet! So compassionate really! Such a heart of gold! Thank you thank you thank you! I’ll reward you highly for this, Fei! You really–!”

 

That being said, Fei grit her teeth and knocked him out cold with one swift, brutal kick. He let out one breath, blood gurgling out from his broken teeth, and then he slumped over. Not dead- His chest still rising and falling with life. And still— Nighty night, old man. Fei sighed. 

 

—There was finally, Peace.

 

“He deserved that.” Fei hissed through her teeth quietly.

 

“Definitely, but uh.” Ladybug began.

 

“Yeah, no he deserved that, probably more.” Panthera noted. Ladybug sighed and nodded, nose scrunching a bit with disgust at the teeth at the ground- but Fei could see the slightly petty lift at the edge of her lips. 

 

Eyeing the bracelet on the wall, Fei sighed. It’d been so long since she’d seen the pretty thing. She reached out for it and pulled it from its place with a click. The door that once housed the prodigious, shut. And Fei, finally, took her father’s bracelet and slid it back on.

 

A flash of light erupted from its center, and the group gasped with surprise. When the light faded, Fei’s eyes opened with surprise to see a small, fuzzy creature light up into the air. He was dark blue, like her armor, and stripes and swirls of cyan decorated across his fur- and his small lion mane was lit up like a little blue fire.

 

He yawned dramatically, and then smiled at her.

 

“Well!” He piped up, “I was wondering when you’d put that back on!”

 

“Mei Shi!” Fei gasped with delight.

 

“OH MY GOD HE’S ADORABLE.” Panthera nearly tugged her hair out as she cooed over him immediately.

 

“B-But you disappeared!” Fei pointed at him with surprise. The small lion-like creature let out a laugh of amusement, stretching his little paws out with relaxation before shaking out his fur once more.

 

“Ha! That I did! But did you really think that was the end of my protective mission?” He asked. Fei tilted her head slightly and he chuckled, shaking his head, “No no no. Guarding the Prodigious was the first part. Oh, my Renren.” 

 

He gazed over at her with excitement, and her chest swelled with pride and hope as he purred-

 

“This is only the beginning.”

 

Fei smiled warmly at him and Ladybug let out a quiet ‘ah-right!’, and turned to her with a grin.

 

“Oh Fei! I sorta forgot to tell you because of the entire thing that happened but– when I had helped Marinette escape, she told me she was headed back to her uncle’s house!” Ladybug piped up.

 

“Oh that’s, that’s good. I’m.. glad she’ll finally be safe now.” Fei sighed softly, smiling as contently as she could. She wished she could’ve said goodbye to Marinette in a truly meaningful way. She wished she could tell her she managed to find peace. But, she knew her odds were slim, she knew realistically Marinette probably never wanted to see her again.

 

“Yeah! And she said she wanted you to join her whenever you were done with this!”

 

“H-Huh?” Fei sputtered. Panthera’s eyes suddenly widened as their jewelry let out another warning beep. She flashed a smile.

 

“Well! Sounds like we all got our places to head! Me and Ladybug will jump back to Paris now! You should go to Marinette’s! I’m sure you’re hungry for dinner after all this roughhousing!” The cat hero remarked with a laugh, before frowning and nudging Cash’s unconscious body with her foot, “After you get this guy to jail of course.”

 

“Oh uh, I guess that’s... a plan?”

 

“Yup! Yup yup yup!” Ladybug nodded, putting a hand on her earrings awkwardly, “I’ll see you there- I mean we’ll see you- I mean! Marinette will see you there! We- Panthera and Ladybug- will see you later! Bug out, RenRen!”

 

“Safe travels!”

 

And suddenly the heroes were gunning it for the hills, leaving Fei with Mei Shi, all the invisible Renlings, and the unconscious Cash.

 

“Well. I guess I’m going to Marinette’s.. Uncle’s.. Restaurant.. Home.. Place.”

 

“Ooh sounds yummy.”

 

“You sounded a lot more professional as a robot guardian guy.”

 

“I was. Now I’m small and terrible.”

 

“Joy.”

 

 

“God, thank you for coming here on short notice, Panthera.”

 

“Oh, psshh. Hah. Haha. Um. Yeah no it’s fine, it was a.. Short. Travel. Hah.” The two stood awkwardly on the edge of a roof, twiddling their thumbs together like both had places other than here to be. Juleka flashed an awkward smile before going ‘ah’ and piping up, “You owe me though, partner! I get one royal favor and you gotta fulfill it when we both get home.”

 

“Sure sure, sounds good,” Ladybug yawned, stretching. “I’m hungry.”

“Well dinner is almost ready, er uh, in our time. So uh. Guess we should get going.”

 

“I’ll meet you in Paris then, Panthera! Bug out!”

 

“Y-Yeah! Safe travels!”

 

Juleka dropped down the building and immediately de-transformed the moment she touched ground. She sighed- turned her head and shuffled out the alley and turned out onto the street. She hurried into an awkward trot.

 

“NOW? NOW???”

“Yes now. Now we can have dinner.”

 

“FUCKING. FINALLY.”

 

“Shh- pocket, Plagg. Pocket.”

 

“Right, right, right.”

 

The cat kwami flew into her pocket quickly as she made her way to the restaurant doors. She breathed in, and then, she opened them- bustling inside quietly but doing her best to sound winded. There seemed to be a lot of people inside now. Everyone she originally accounted for, and one new guest. 

 

It was then that Adrien took notice of her, and beamed with his usual delight, before his eyes squinted with thought, and he gasped with offense.

 

“You DID SNEAK OUT! I told you to rest, Jules!”

“You know you’re not supposed to sleep with a concussion right?”

 

“W-Wait you’re not? I’ve never had a concussion before.”

 

“Yeah, I assumed so, but it’s fine I just kept to the blocks around here,” Juleka sighed. She thought about that. Wow, it was easy to lie there. She didn’t usually like to lie so easily. Huh. Anyways. “I read the chat. Is Marinette here?”

 

“Juleka? Juleka! Oh my god, Fei! You need to meet Juleka!”

 

Juleka walked up closer and did her best casual smile. There was Marinette, safe and sound. She wasn’t surprised that Marinette beat her there, but she still felt her heart swell seeing her- especially after all those relieved texts when Adrien announced her safe return.


What Juleka was also preparing her casual smile for was Fei. The moment the ex-thief saw her, Fei’s face was completely pale with terror. Juleka’s proverbial ears flattened just a bit. I hope I’m giving off ‘I’m meeting a stranger’ vibes. I don’t want her to stress over the fact she mugged me earlier today and I watched her go through three mental breakdowns since. 

 

It wasn’t that her thief disguise was bad- it was just...

 

She was just a kid. Her age at least. Her eyes looked so, dark. Full of dark cinder. Burning. 

 

It was her tired eyes that had given her away when Panthera had met her. She didn’t want to bring Fei back to all that so soon. It must’ve been such a long day for her. Juleka opened her hand out politely, and met her eyes as gently as she could.

 

“Fei was it? It’s nice to meet you.” Juleka said.

 

“Oh uh. Nice to meet-” Fei opened up her hand, and stared at Juleka’s ring before awkwardly shaking it. “-you too. I uh. Your name is Juleka?”

 

“Yeah, Juleka. Juleka Couffaine.”

 

“C-Cool. Uh. Juleka. You might not recognize me but. We’ve actually-” Nope nope nuh uh. She heard that apologetic tone. It was already water on the bridge. Forced water under the bridge. Pouring water under the bridge. Nope nuh uh. No guilt here.

 

“Nah I think this is the first time we met.” Juleka flashed her teeth immediately, walking past Fei and clapping her right on the back. She met Marinette’s gaze and her muscles relaxed, “Are you a friend of Marinette then?”

 

“I uh, I’m not sure-”

 

“Yeah, Fei here is my friend. She,” Marinette slowly glanced at Fei and smiled, “Helped me out when I was lost here in Shanghai.”

 

You got robbed by her and you forgave her. Juleka retranslated in her head. Her eyebrow twitched. Okay that thought came out a bit more passive aggressive than intended considering I'm the same here. Juleka thought with slight amusement but, glancing at Fei she saw a soft glaze of sadness in her eyes. 

 

“You’re amazing at connecting with people, Marinette.” Juleka whispered. She glanced at Fei, who glanced at the door, and glanced back at Marinette, “I’m glad you’re safe. Alya’s super glad too.”

 

“Oh my god, Alya. Oh my god. I need to start texting her now that I have my phone back! She sent me so many calls I probably gave her a heart attack!” Marinette squawked. Adrien slithered up next to her and giggled.

 

“Don’t forget to call your parents too, Marinette!”

 

“OH MY GOD I HAVE PARENTS.”

 

“Let’s call them together! I wanna say hi to your mom and dad! Mr Wang! Come over, we're gonna call Marinette’s parents!”

 

“Oh wonderful! Wonderful! I always wish to call but I can never get the hang of these phones.”

 

“WRAACK! WRONG NUMBER! WRONG NUMBER!”

“That’s right Bastille, I always get the wrong number!”

 

It was all endearing to listen to, truly. And Juleka absorbed it like a comforting presence of normalcy. It wasn’t hers to intrude on. But it was there to consume with a love for life. However, there was a figure missing. A figure slinking away like an ashamed shadow.

 

Juleka’s eyes thinned and she quietly followed after her, without an echo in her step.

 

Stepping outside, she watched Fei clamber away from the golden glow of the party full of its smells and delights to retreat into the darker cold of the city. She was already Panthera when she climbed after the girl and the girl was already RenRen when she escaped to the quietness of another building.

 

Juleka inhaled, and followed after her.

 

 

The party was.. Great. It was just, nice. Fei could tell you that with genuine sincerity. Maybe underplayed sincerity. It was super, delightful.

 

But maybe that’s why she’d walked away from it.

 

It was meant to be momentarily.

 

But Marinette hadn’t been able to give a peep on why she invited her in the first place so... Where was the reason to truly stay?

 

Fei sighed.

 

"That took a lot of self control of you, I could tell." Fei spun around with fear as two emerald eyes stared at her from the shadows. It pulled itself from it, revealing a familiar, and slowly relaxing form. The- cat hero. Ladybug's friend. Marinette's- hero. Someone she could trust. Right. She’d had her back that entire hadn’t she. 

 

"Oh um- Panthera Noire, was it?" Fei murmured, glancing away as the cat hero sat next to her, giving a short nod. Fei stared silent. Her imagination drawing far before her concern layered to her words, "I thought you left with Ladybug." 

 

"I did, but I forgot something, so I took a quick U-Turn." Panthera offered a toothy smile, she scratched the back of her head bashfully. Fei wasn’t sure if she believed that but she couldn’t find the desire to argue. 

 

"I hope you find it," Fei's eyes drew far, digging her nails into her suit. Her eyebrows furrowed, "I.. had to have self control. It's what my father would've wanted... and... what I think I want too.” She smiled a little, before focusing back stern, “I refuse to be more like Cash. I think he made me worse anyways. I grew to tolerate so much of it that now I- just. Yeah. I just wanted this next step to be, min.e"

 

"I can understand that," Panthera hummed. Fei's eyes squeezed shut as she breathed heavily. She gazed down at her hands.

 

This day, her life, it felt so long and dreadful. Like dragging herself through the mud, wanting for the singular moment she could get, revenge, a free catharsis. But it wasn't the kind she originally wanted, and now, she was possessing more magical unknown things than she had planned- what was she gonna do now? What was she going to even do originally?

 

"I still want him to rot." She admitted with a growl in her tone, catching Panthera's attention. "I hate the fact I still want that but..."

 

“Don’t hate yourself for wanting that,” Panthera’s ear flicked. She leaned back, “He must’ve been awful. Bad people deserve bad things. And it’s good you know that. Many people have a hard time knowing they can blame the people that hurt them.”

 

“Yeah,” Fei closed her hands over her face, sighing. 

 

Her obsession, now ceased, now, somewhat satisfied, it left her with little. Only a feeling of quiet reflection, as she stared out into her city of color and the dark. It was hers to protect now. But who even was she anymore? She sighed. 

 

"He’s everything terrible in the world. He’s everything terrible to me. And I realized that; if I make the mistake.. of hurting someone else cause I’m hurting- in the name of justice…“ Fei paused, lips pursing together before she spoke again. “…I didn’t know what would follow. What would come next? What other excuses could I make to hurt others? Shouting the word 'justice' as you crack someone's teeth seems to get easier and easier the more you do it–! I don't want that easiness. I don't want to get used to hurting. I don't want that. I refuse to be that sort of fool..!"

 

She shuddered. I refuse to be that sort of fool, again. Fei thought to correct herself. She bristled, continuing on with a sigh.

 

"I feel like; if I can't hold myself to this one ideal, I don't trust myself to be able to hold any ideal. And yet- I don't think I entirely want what I’m holding myself to either. But I'm not sure what– what I want at all anymore." Fei said, clutching the amulet around her neck with a tight squeeze, "And I'm still scared of who I am. Who I was. And if I’ll still be good. I’m not sure. I’m a bit scared."

 

A pause took over the space between them.

 

"Yeah," Panthera looked away, her voice coming out softly. There was a shame in her tone, "That.. yeah. I think we're alike, Fei."

 

"R-Really..?" Fei asked, her voice cracking slightly. Panthera Noire nodded slowly and the young dragon child sighed, staring down at her hands. They balled up tight at her sides before sighing defeatedly again- at the corner of her eye in a flicker of gold, she could see them, the renlings, peering over her shoulder, ever watching, ever listening. She felt exposed in spirit. Fei felt seen in heart.

 

“Sure. I can’t tell you how awful it was to stare at my own dark mirror in the face. I’ve seen myself in the hearts of the cruelest and twisted of people.” Panthera narrated quietly, wind softly blowing through her hair. She sighed, drawing her fingers to the side of her ribs tenderly, “Even as something as simple and yet so delicate as love, I saw poisoned and splintered into an ugly obsession.”

 

“Like my justice and my vengeance..” Fei muttered, gazing down at her claws with a burning stare.

 

“They say that revenge is the fool’s game. I can’t disagree nor agree." Fei perked back up to attention, and the cat hero was speaking once more. An almost cocky smile now layered across her cheeks but it all seemed for show as she murmured now with a quieter mournfulness, "Maybe that's why I joke about it, but if I got even with the one bastard who truly fucked with me, guess I’d be a lot more messed up than I already am.” 

 

Panthera chuckled, her eyebrows knitting together slowly in the deepening silence.

 

"Maybe you're doing better than me, actually." She added distantly.

 

"Do you believe revenge is good?" Fei asked, but Panthera simply shrugged.

 

“For some, maybe. But it depends on the person.”

 

“I thought it would fix me.” Fei sighed, holding herself tight. "But that’s me. And I’m not sure if it applies the same to others. I was so close to letting myself go for it..."

 

"But you didn't." Panthera took her by the shoulder and smiled, "And your father… must be so proud."

 

Fei softly smiled at that, but her eyebrows slowly drifted to a knitted concern and confliction. Her lips pursed, and Panthera seemed to notice, tilting her head.

 

"What's up, dragon?" She asked.

 

"What would happen?" Fei asked slowly, making the cat hero's eyes widen with slow confusion, "If you.. decided to get back... at the people who've wronged you. What do you think would happen? To you?" 

 

There was a coldness that drifted over Panthera's face, as if a ghost had carefully possessed her. Lining her features as a dark aura. Panthera's eyes subtly thinned and unfocused, like she was staring far, far, far, beyond the girl. Fei slowly and unsurely turned around, unsure if Panthera had spotted someone, but the object of her focus was nowhere to be seen. In fact, Fei was unsure if it even existed. Claws dug into the rooftop, grinding sharply, before stilling and Panthera let herself breath with a chuckle.

 

"Dunno. I’m sure somethin' would happen if we crossed paths. But so long as we don't- I'm at peace.” Panthera smiled, before, her eyes and tone suddenly chilled to a frigid cold, “I'd like to keep it that way." 

 

Though the summer warmth surrounded the two like a constant heat, it was then Fei felt a horrible chill up her spine. It sounded like Panthera was not the only one speaking. Her lips pressed tight together, staring as though the living shadow by her side flashed its gnarled teeth. She held her breath, Fei wasn't going to argue with that, and sighed.

 

"Thank you for speaking to me, you seem to have a lot of strange advice on your hands." Fei said, glancing back to see the sparkles of gold just outside of her vision. She looked back to Panthera, “Could you spare a bit more?”

 

“Of course.”

 

Fei sighed defeatedly, "I'm afraid I'm still the same me from a few minutes ago. Crying with concern for what's going to happen next; If I get worse. If I'll just make another damn mistake..."

 

"Nothing matters in the end," Fei's eyes blinked wide as Panthera whispered. "Everything that has happened before has already ended. Everything terrible has been tied up. If it returns, you deal with it again. And then you go on, you'll have things to look forward to, but now, you get to bask with the fact it's all over. You did your best. And you made it out alive."

 

She made it out alive.

 

She made it out alive, didn’t she.

 

“That’s true. But still, what do I do next? What about the future?” Fei pressed, clasping the pendant upon her neck. 

 

"The ‘future’ ceases the moment we touch it." Panthera snapped her staff out and scraped it against the ground, seeming to begin her escape into the stars. She glanced at Fei with a voice that smelt like kind death and ruin, and a smile that felt like the warmth of a dying fire. "The present is yours to eat. So-"

 

She pointed down and Fei's eyes softly widened at the ever warm hearth of the restaurant.

 

"-Enjoy."

 

And when Fei turned, Panthera Noire was gone with a gust of summer wind that twirled through hair. Huh. What a dramatic exit.

 

When Fei returned to the party, she was yanked into a huge hug by Marinette, who frantically asked her where she’d been, as if she had run away. It felt odd to be wanted, to be, welcomed. Marinette’s uncle looked so delighted to have her back. And he’d only known her for such little time- it was so strange. 

 

“Oh hey, look who’s back, I was wonderin’ where you went,”

 

She nearly jumped out of her skin when Juleka had suddenly appeared behind her with eyes curious and sharp. She smiled, peaking a fang out from beneath her lips. Adrien asked where Juleka had gone to which the goth calmly replied ‘went out for some fresh air’, smiling a little too cunningly at Fei, but the dragon girl decided to pay less attention to that. 

 

The food was, incredible. There were no earthly words in any language that could describe how exquisite it was. It’d been so long since Fei had a full stomach, and Mr Wang had been dead set on making sure she got accustomed to that. She made sure to sneak some of her best bites to Mei Shi beneath the table- which was odd since it seemed Juleka was doing the same thing. Maybe Bastille was under there too.

 

It was apparently Mr Wang’s birthday. And Fei was part of the party.

 

“What?! So you've never celebrated your birthday before?”

 

“Never! And I'm very happy to do it for the first time with you and your boyfriend; Adrien.”

 

“Oh uh.”

 

“Oh um. I have a-”

 

“We’re literally just friends.”

 

“Oh dear. Are you two-”

 

“No. I’m just his bodyguard today. And I have a girlfriend.”

 

“You were meant to model today with me I’m sorry..”

 

“Don’t worry about it. A kaiju attacked today. Lots of things happened.”

 

“Hoho! What a birthday!”

 

A burst of shared laughter rang across the table and filled the room with a golden warmth. Fei closed her eyes, soaking in every conversation, every chuckle, welcome, and smile and she let herself just- be there.

 

“Mom got you an accordion?”

 

“Why an accordion?” Fei asked, adjusting her chair to make room for their new and awkward guests who eyed her with confusion but strange acceptance. Mr Wang let out a hardy laugh, readjusting his kind grip in his hands.

 

“It's a nod to Sabine, Marinette's mom. I've raised her. I've always told her how I dreamed of learning how to play the accordion!” He exclaimed happily, before his expression wilted, “But I never took the time. And now that I have it, I’m afraid I still don’t even have any use for it.”

 

Fei’s eyebrows raised as he began to set it dishearteningly at the table. 

 

“I know how to play if you want!” Fei piped up. Mr Wang’s face brightened up and he nodded excitedly. She didn’t want to leave his night sad, afterall. Sitting up, she plucked it gently from his hands and hoisted the strap over her shoulder. 

 

She let out a breath, and let herself play. Street performing had always been a quick nice way to earn some extra cash that day. Fei closed her eyes, letting the music flow through the air and trickle through her ears like a sweet symphony. Her burnt and curled fingers tapped precisely upon the keys with the familiarity of an old melody.

 

Peaking an eye open Fei saw sheer, warm delight on Mr Wang’s face and something in her heart softened. He’d been quite lonely hadn’t he, for all these years, in this famous and yet isolated restaurant. Her eyes drew to the side and caught onto the soft and endeared smiles upon the faces of all her new friends and acquaintances- 

 

She ended her song with a soft sigh and Mr Wang sat up from his seat with a thunderous cheer.

 

“That was incredible! Incredible I say! Thank you so much, Fei! Marinette, where did you ever meet such a talented young girl?”

 

“She saved me while I was lost, like I said.” Marinette said.

 

“I see!” Wang chuckled, and warmly smiled at Fei’s side, “It seems you truly did find a magic ingredient after all then, Marinette.” 

 

Fei smiled a little, she didn’t know what they were talking about there but, she felt happy- somehow. She felt happy so easily. Gazing out into this restaurant, this home, and letting that glimmer of gold at the edge of her eyes transform her vision to see the world a bit more magically-

 

The world felt like it’d been painted in a new, shimmering light. She pushed the accordion into Mr Wang’s hands and smiled out at the table. Fei never imagined herself to be in a place like this. To get this chance to live again..

 

“I think that if someone's the magic ingredient, it's definitely Marinette.” Fei smiled, meeting her eyes with grateful warmth. “Thank you, Marinette, for everything.”

 

“Oh well,” Marinette scratched the back of her neck bashfully. Adrien grinned at her side and beamed with pride and joy.

 

“That’s our everyday Ladybug!”

“AHA. YEAH. THAT SAYING. LANKS ADRIEN. I MEAN THANKS LADRIEN. THANKS. ADRIEN. AHAH.”

 

"Please breathe, Marinette."

 

"Thanks Juleka..,"

 

“Sometimes even her French sounds weird.” Fei whispered to Mr Wang in Mandarin, spurring out another boisterous laugh from the kindly man. I can get used to this. Fei smiled. Though she had turned Cash in, there was no putting off his chance of return. There were still many loose ends to tie, and many pains to right.

 

But, Fei had a chance to live through it. She had this life to make her existence worth it. Fei smiled, living through the party that would one day end and dim its lights and she smiled ready to wake up the next day to keep going again and again. 

 

She was counting on Cash to come back. She was counting on things being uncertain and getting worse and better. But she knew not to fear it. Because her name was RenRen, and she was Shanghai’s Newest Hero.



Notes:

Sooooo this was a long one.

This ends our shanghai arc! or at least our main one. the next chapter will be a short one, just some light shenaniganry in shanghai before we say goodbye to Fei. I had lots of fun writing her if you couldn't tell, she's genuinely one of my favorite ml characters- but I hope I didn't overdo it with this arc. Oh well.

I hope you dearly enjoyed! Thanks for all your patience and love. Safe travels!

Chapter 73: Stories in Shanghai

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text



Her name.. was Fei. 

 

She was once the daughter of a great man, then she was the thieving hands of a terrible one, and the planned-to-be-killer of her father’s murderer. But.. times have changed! Apparently. 

 

Because now she was Renren, and she’s been Renren for a few days now. Three and a half, counting the night she became Shanghai’s new superhero. And things had been, better? Better than they were before. 

 

Ever since Marinette had brought her in, she’d been taking shelter and making her new home at Mr Cheng’s house. He wouldn’t let her leave when he learnt where she was currently staying. The group of boys she’d been chased by also declared themselves her new friends– for some reason.

 

But, it felt nice. Fei had always felt like she’d died a long time ago, the same night that her father did, and that she’d only been haunting her body for years. Now, it felt like she’d been suddenly reborn.

 

“Fei, could you pass the–” 

 

“Oh of course, Mr Cheng.” Fei clicked back to focus. 

 

“Please, call me Uncle.”

 

“He’s so nice, Renren!”

 

“This beats being stuck in a cave!”

 

“Everything smells so good!”

 

“Good morninmng...” A voice called out from behind, and Fei perked up to see Marinette wobble to the table- her untied hair looking like she’d tumbled through a tornado. Fei held her snicker, and placed a plate full of food in front of her.

 

“You’re still jet lagged?” Fei teased as Marinette began to groggily dig in with little thought behind her half closed eyes.

 

“Of course I am.. There’s a huge time difference between here and home.” Marinette yawned. Fei’s vision flickered at the edges with gold, and she watched as one of the renlings, Hu, leaned over her shoulder with a whisper.

 

“She stayed up texting her friend instead of sleeping..”

 

“Marinette!” Fei scolded immediately, spurring Marinette to jolt.

 

“W-Wha!?”

 

“If you expect to get over this jetlag, stop staying up until 12 am like it’s still the daytime!”

 

“HOW DID–” Marinette began, glancing up and down at Fei, before slumping with a slight pout in her face. “Darn it. I thought I was being quiet.”

 

“Not quiet enough for us. Self discipline is important.” The tiger renling puffed his chest up, spurring a tight lipped giggle from Fei, while Uncle Cheng laughed freely into the morning- none the wiser.

 

 

The end of Panthera’s tail scraped quietly against the tile of the rooftop. Shanghai was just as beautiful from up high as it was during the night time. 

 

“Heya partner.”

 

“How did you hear me!?” Juleka breathed out a low chuckle and looked up at the scarlet heroine with an endeared smile.

 

“Your steps were quiet but your yoyo has always made a lot of noise.” Juleka replied simply. She tilted her head, “We’re both here to see Renren huh. Or, were you here before me?”

 

“Well- you know! I realized we never got her number! And I had a free night, s-so I came here!” Ladybug babbled for an answer. “I’m sure she’d appreciate it if she had a little support system from two more experienced heroes. Especially since we just, kinda ditched after the incident from a few days ago.”

 

“True. But– What if she doesn’t wanna be a hero?” Panthera asked. Ladybug paused, and scrunched up her eyebrows.

 

“Why wouldn’t she?”

 

“Partner, politely, if I had the option I wouldn’t have taken up this job at all.” Panthera hummed, scratching her claws through her hair. “Didn’t you say you tried to quit on our second day out?” 

 

“Ugh.” She huffed.

 

“Partner~” The cat hero purred sweetly. A mask. A face. It worked, by the looks of Ladybug’s twisting expression.

 

“Yes.” She finally admitted, defeatedly. Juleka chuckled before sighing.

 

“Hah. Well. I’ll be seeing the sights then. Maybe if we bump into her, we can ask her. Or something.” Panthera sat up. With Adrien that is, he’ll be wondering where Juleka is. 

 

“Maybe.” Ladybug nodded along a little, “How’s this; If I take the south end, and you take the north, we can get a good patrol in and meet up later to see if we can catch Fei and exchange contacts?”

 

“Sounds like a plan.” Panthera extended her staff and smiled, “Safe travels.”

 

“Bug out!” Ladybug said, reeling back her yo-yo to swing away before a sudden explosion rocked the street. The two looked over a building and sighed. A car had driven into the side of a building and the two were witnesses to multiple men climbing out of it with weaponry and ill intent in their eyes.

 

“We just can’t ever get a vacation.” Ladybug groaned, aiming her yo-yo downwards.

 

“It’s weirdly nice to deal with villains that aren’t akumas though.” Panthera reasoned, and the two jumped off together. When it was all over- videos of their efficient take down of the robbers had spread all the way back home, and Alya’s account exploded with views and questions.

 

“Are you seeing this, Marinette!? Ladybug and Panthera are in Shanghai too!” Panthera’s ear twitched as she tried to pretend she couldn’t hear Alya over in Ladybug’s yo-yo-phone. Yo-phone. Yone? Pho-yo? 

 

“Whhaaat? Nooo, no way. That sounds... crazy! Maybe they’re on vacation too!” Ladybug fake gasped. Panthera rolled her eyes affectionately. She supposed it was a big deal that Paris’s favorite hero was out of town, given the fact whenever Paris blew up it was on Ladybug to fix things up.

 

Juleka hummed. She hoped it wouldn’t bother Fei much to keep this town in at least general check.

 

 

Fei found her place in the restaurant as Uncle Cheng’s dutiful student. It felt nice to learn new things again, it brought her back to the beautiful days when the temple was still running. Being able to observe every single student there, analyzing the same things her father was, searching for the paths of improvement in both them and herself.

 

However, she also found that cooking and fighting were not the same thing. 

 

“Ow-!”

 

“Are you alright, Fei?” Mei Shi floated up over her shoulder. Fei grumbled, holding up a bleeding finger tip with irritation. The lion creature hummed, small ears twitching observingly.

 

“You’d think using a knife would be easier.” Fei hissed, moving off to wash the blood off by the sink. Mei Shi chuckled, twirling through the air around the translucent and flickering visages of the renlings that cut through reality like swimming minnows. 

 

“The rough parts of learning cannot be helped,” Mei Shi said, disappearing into a cupboard like a ghost before opening it up from the inside. Fei ran her finger underneath the water and held back her wince from the sting. She shut the water off and looked up to see Mei Shi holding up a small box of bandaids.

 

“Thank you,” She smiled, taking it from his paws. It was nice to have the lion around. Ever since that night, he’d been so kind and comforting- his counseling was like a comfort in the storm of change she’d been thrown in. She paused, “I’ve been wanting to comment on this but I wasn’t sure if it was too strange or rude.”

 

“Go on.” He said, pulling out one of the bandaids.

 

“You’re a lot more, lively, and nicer, than you were when we first met.” Fei slowly worded, eyebrows lifting. “When you were a giant stone guardian. What was up with that?”

 

“Ah. Of course.” He nodded slowly, “That was a form I’d taken with the mental headspace to be as judgemental and serious as possible. It hasn’t been in my nature to be kind and relaxed for thousands of years. My duty was to decide who was allowed to wield the prodigious or not, and my expectation was to refuse any fool to come my way.”

 

“Why is that?” Fei inquired, wrapping the bandage around her finger. Mei Shi’s ears drooped.

 

“Because no one really had been able to or wanted to use it.” He answered solemnly with an ashamed look in his eyes. “Not for the purposes it was made for anyways.”

“Did my father ever use it?” She asked. There was a pause, and then the shake of a head.

 

“Your father, I had watched since he was a student upon my fold in the infinite of astral and inconceivable planes.” Mei Shi mused on with a distantness in his voice, “And although he would’ve made an honorable Renren, I don’t think it ever crossed his mind to wield it for himself. He was a guardian of a treasure first, never a user.”

 

“I see.” Fei wilted ever so slightly.

 

“Take this to mean that you are doing something he never even thought to try, Fei.” The lion instructed with a kind smile, “And you will be able to do things he wasn’t able to do.”

 

“What? Like turn into a giant lizard?” She tilted her head before jolting as her vision fizzled gold and suddenly there was the dragon renling looking sourly over her shoulder.

 

“I prefer Celestial Beast. Or, ahem, dragon. Or-” 

 

“Don’t mind Longg. He’s just as much of a thespian as that twin.” Hu popped over her other shoulder with a growl. 

 

“Do NOT call me his twin.”

 

“You guys spent way too much time alone together, huh.” Fei inquired as the renlings began to loudly squabble, some pulling the tiger and dragon away from each other. Mei Shi’s face twisted painfully.

 

“So many centuries, Fei.” He gritted through his fangs, “Thank you sincerely for freeing us.”

 

 

Luka was known as a patient soul.

 

He stood there his manager trying to explain something three times over to him even though he understood it before he opened his mouth. He smiled through trying to teach that Kim boy struggle through Hey There Delilah on the guitar. And he smoothly handled trying to explain to his mom that no, wanting to be multiple genders day to day wasn’t just a normal thing people felt, look here’s an article to read on here’s your glasses ma—

 

He really had did try to be uncomplaining. But he never expected himself to feel antsy like this. It was only for a week or so- but every day felt like forever without his sister to share his room, without Plagg to stink up the kitchen with his taste in cheese, without the buzzing of bass and unearthly humming to add to the beautiful noise in the house.

 

He missed his sister a lot— it didn’t help that he knew she wasn’t “absolutely safe” like she claimed to be. Whether she was conscious or not, his little sister had gotten a slow and subtle taste for lying now. It didn’t matter if they were more so half truths, Luka just hated-

 

Deep breaths.

 

-Luka couldn’t help but feel a bit upset, seeing Juleka claim how she was, where she was going, how she was being treated without realizing her own delusion. Not one day had passed since she left home and a kaiju had already attacked the city she waltzed into- and he wasn’t even there to protect her.

 

Not that I’ve been able to protect her before. He held his sigh. 

 

Petting his fingers across the fur of one of the many cats that hung around the boat kept his underlying nerves still. Fewer came since Juleka left- but it was she left a little bit of herself behind to bring them here.

 

He was glad for that too because without them…

 

“My little lass…”

 

Luka glanced over to see his mother laying on her backside, surrounded by curious and concerned cats whilst she moped with a worrying lack of her usual fire. 

 

“What if she walks straight into an explosion- she’s got the bad luck for it these days. What if she doesn’ eat enough. That little Agreste boy himself looks like sticks ‘n bones how’d I ever let my girl go into such unsafe hands—“

 

Luka couldn’t wait for Juleka to get home- especially when he didn’t want to admit he had the same exact worries as their mom. At this rate, he was going to be as gray as her when his sister came back, and even more so when she got back to her usual work.

 

“I’ll go see if Mr and Mrs. Duapin-Cheng has food they wanted to send to us.”

 

“Aye- that’ll be nice, lad..”

 

 

“S–Someone! Help! Oh god–!”

 

“Stop biting, just get in there, stupid bitch! That old hag of yours has a debt to fill!”

 

“Hey those criminals-! They shoved that girl in their van..! Someone.. anyone help–!”

 

Claws digging into the brick and tile– Fei’s eyes flashed as she leapt off the building in a flash of gold. 

 

“Xiong!”

 

Slamming hard into the front of the van, the wheels screeched to a halt as the driver’s eyes snapped up to witness the imposing bear now taking up his entire view. Fei roared before lifting her large furry body lifted up from the now-scrap metal and smashing her claws through the front glass. The driver screamed and she tsked.

 

“Hu!” She ripped him out the window shield and threw him to the sidewalk, before her transformation caught up with her and soon her striped tiger body was slipping through the front window to crawl into the inside of the van where a young lady and her several pants-shitted captors shrieked at the sight of her. She recognized many as Cash's old men, they'd scurried through the streets like rampant little ants. But right now, they were only prey.

 

In just a few moments she was bursting out the back of the van with the young woman in her arms and multiple beat up men crawling weakly after her, before all falling into unconsciousness. This had been Fei’s life recently, certainly not an unwelcome change of pace, but it wasn’t something she’d ever imagined finding herself in. 

 

“Thank you, oh my god, thank you so much, Renren. You’ve saved my life. Oh my god you’ve saved my life.”

 

“It’s- really nothing. You’re very welcome.” Fei awkwardly shook hands with the sobbing young woman. The amount of clapping and staring around her was probably the most uncomfortable part of all this. Was she, supposed to just wave back? She did her best.

 

A few days after the whole Cash-Hawkmoth situation, Ladybug and Panthera had visited once more to ask her what she was going to do with the Prodigious’ power- but she’d decided since that night- she was finally going to give some good back to the city after stealing from it for so long. What else was she supposed to do. Mei-Shi had said the Prodigious was always meant for good. And from her new perch above just simple humanity, Fei saw so many paths to take, so many things to stop, and she knew it was going to get worse given how Cash's men were popping up more often. Maybe one day, he'd even reel his ugly head again. But she was willing to fight that fight. 

 

“Um.. hello? Excuse me, Renren?”

 

Oh, that was french. And- the voice of…

 

“Jul–” Fei turned and immediately slapped her claws over her mouth at the sight of the girl’s eyebrows raising. Ladybug suggested I keep my identity a secret– Renren isn’t supposed to know Juleka. Only Fei is. That was close. She squirmed internally. What mental gymnastics. She gritted her teeth and forced an awkward smile, “Hello. Civillain. Tourist. Girl.”

 

“Smooth. Um. Okay. Uh,” Juleka messed with her dyed hair a bit before holding up her phone shyly. “My name is Juleka. I’m from Paris, and I help video for this thing called the um, Ladyblog?”

 

I know this. Fei thought, pursing her lips together. Marinette keeps watching it excessively because she misses that friend of hers, Alya. She made me watch multiple videos of it. I’ve memorized every single intro and outro at this point. Now Mei Shi is obsessed with it. He also makes me watch it now. 

 

“Wow, I've never heard of that before, that's crazy.” Fei said flatly. She sighed and propped her hand to her hip, “Are you asking for an interview of some kind since I use familiar magic to your country’s heroes?” 

 

Then a strange look went across the girl’s eyes that made Fei instantly uncomfortable. It was hardly any sort of shift, but in the flash of gold her vision went through, it was like Juleka’s eyes had gained an unholy glint.

 

“Wow. You got it on the mark. How amazing. It’s like you know who I am.” Juleka grinned and Fei was reminded why she was slightly terrified of her when they’d met both times. That fight they’d had, the restaurant where she’d appeared like one final sin coming to take her out. Juleka’s voice was warning as she sweetly remarked, “I’m assuming you don’t have interviews a lot. You know reporters might be able to ring a lot of info out if you’re unprepared.”

 

“I try to avoid them as much as possible,” Fei said slowly. For good reason she’s learning, and maybe that’s what Juleka wanted to teach her- whether she really did know her or not. But why would she if she didn’t— that wasn’t something she wanted to imagine. Juleka was already kinda unnerving in her kind way.

 

“Well, thanks for bothering with me then,” and there was that genuine soft smile from the goth girl that made Fei unsure whether to distrust her or put her entire faith in her. Leaning to the latter. Fei didn’t know how much Juleka knew of anything, Marinette always treated her in the house as this pitiful enigma of unfortunate misfortune- but Fei wasn’t sure if that’s just what Juleka was letting Marinette see her as.

 

“Oop dropped my phone- aw crap I dropped it again- it keeps— and it cracked. Okay.”

 

Or maybe she really was that unlucky.

 

“Another car is coming, let's move from the street so you don’t somehow get hit.” 

 

“Yeah— yeah let’s, let’s do that. Thank you.”

 

The interview went just fine. She asked her lots of simple questions- ones about her life and powers- and when Fei began to say more than she thought to- Juleka always shot her a warning and careful look, and Fei reeled in her explanations to something simpler. By the end, Fei felt like she hadn’t been able to answer anything in full.

 

“Why?” Fei asked when Juleka clicked the end-record button. “If you didn’t want me to answer anything why ask them?”

 

“I feel like it’s only fair. You deserve privacy.” Juleka weakly replied, looking a bit like a kid who got caught with her hand in the cookie jar or a kicked puppy. “The heroes in France, they get their lives picked at all the time. And sometimes, they make the mistake and say something they shouldn’t have. You deserve a nice first interview with someone who doesn’t think they need to know it all.”

 

Juleka then just awkwardly shrugged, tapping at her phone as she flicked her eyes away from her’s.

 

“Or something.”

 

Was everyone from France this weird and peculiar? Fei wondered, before she smiled weakly, gripping her pendant tight. I’ll work hard. To become a hero then. A good one.

 

“Thank you.”

 

Juleka grinned.

 

 

“I don’t have a concussion.” Juleka repeated for what felt like the thirteenth time this afternoon. It was the day of the Agreste store’s opening, and because that man seemed to be as dramatic as his day-by-day schedule– of course it was also a fashion show. In the end, her voice was still hardly as heard as the rest of her attempts- just a breath under Adrien’s more outward pleads. 

 

“Come on, Nathalie! I brought her all this way! And then she got all beat up for me! Ladybug’s cure fixed her right up we swear!”

 

“I’m just worried what kind of media might become attached to her if we let her on stage. Any model featured with the Agreste brand is sure to become overwhelmingly popular just by association.” Nathalie said, adjusting her glasses with a chilly huff. Juleka’s skin writhed at that very idea, even as people were already eyeing her size and clothes that she could wear- ok yeah she came for that but. “Is she even okay with that?” 

 

She had no idea.

 

“Sure she is, right, Juleka?” Adrien turned to her with those ridiculously anime-glittery eyes. She squirmed just a bit, but she’d been psyching herself about this all week- and swallowed down a ‘no’.

 

“Yuuup– ‘s awesome.” She held up a shaky thumbs up.

 

“Ah. So she agreed then? Good. Because one of our models is late. And tardiness cannot be dealt with right now.” A shiver went up Juleka’s spine as the approaching voice of Gabriel came from behind. Adrien immediately tensed at the sight of his father, and whether Adrien realized he’d done so or not, Juleka didn’t like how that was the immediate reaction.

 

Gabriel put a hand on both of their shoulders, a gesture she decided to reject as soon as she could shake his hand off of her- but there wasn’t much she could do about him guiding them past racks on racks of clothes and to the back of the overly modernized store of spotless white walls and Agreste brandings.

 

“Just use the store’s changing rooms for now, we’ll have one of the dresses we planned to showcase in your size.” Gabriel instructed, he let go of their shoulders and readjusted one of his rings with a sharp look in his eyes, “Do not be late.”

 

“Alright,” Juleka said, stepping away from him. She wasn’t a clean freak, but getting the touch-feel of dirty-probably-a-capitalist was something on her to-do list now. Glancing to the side, she tried to catch one last look of encouragement from Adrien but he already was robotically moving inside a changing room.

 

Juleka was about halfway scrolling through the class’s messages when a glimmering teal dress that soon transitioned into dark blue and purple peacock plumage slipped over the top of the door for her to catch with a pair of heels. It was nice, a bit exposing, but with a shy smile on her face- she changed into it pretty easily with the occasional help from Plagg’s tiny paws.

 

“Lookin’ good!” He smiled, squinting a little, “Somehow a bit familiar actually.”

 

“I don’t look dorky in this do I..?” Juleka asked unsurely as she slipped all but the cat ring off to make way for the more golden accented jewelry they instructed her with. Plagg shook his head as they shared the same view in the mirror.

 

“Nah! You look good in dresses, Jules! You ought to wear them more! You always look so happy when you do.” Plagg said, crossing his arms. He squinted at her, looking full of too many ideas. “I’ll force you into them if I have to, Jules. I know you avoid them cause you think they don’t look good on you. I can do it.”

 

“No no, I kinda, got a brand- to keep up as Panthera Noire.” Juleka quickly stammered, pretending the idea wasn’t so tempting. Wearing a nice pretty dress instead of her usual tight leather pants as Panthera... She paused and snapped a quick photo of herself in the mirror. Rose would surely see her later on whatever news coverage there’d be of this event but… it wouldn’t hurt to send her a nicer photo in here, would it? Nah.

 

There was a bit of flash blocking her face when she checked her photo, but that wasn’t anything she wasn’t used to. It’s been a long time since Marinette broke that photo curse of mine huh. Juleka thought with a little smile, tucking the hair out of her face. She paused. Now she remembered why the peacock dress felt familiar.

 

Her fist gripped tight at her side, and her eyes thinned at the memory of feathers and giant moths sending a hurricane their way- not so long ago- Hawkmoth had escaped just a hair from her claws because of the peacock miraculous. Whoever was using that, whoever dared to help Hawkmoth after everything he’d done...

 

“Ms Couffaine? Are you done changing? Do you need help? We need to put makeup on you soon.” Nathalie’s voice came from outside the room and Juleka shook her head out of her burning headspace.

 

“A-Ah? No, I'm good. Just putting my heels on!” 

 

The fashion show went as smoothly as she thought it could go. And Juleka’s heart fluttered seeing the bombardment of texts and hearts she got from Rose when she stepped off the catwalk- and her smile widened seeing Marinette raving in the audience by Fei’s side. 

 

 

It was the last few days of her trip when Juleka and Rose shared a late night call. Well- late for Juleka. But she happily didn’t share that information to Rose just so she could bask in the sound of her voice just a little bit more. Every night, she called Rose- and usually Adrien was there to talk to her too, but he went to sleep earlier, so here they were.

 

It was like a little moment in heaven, just to hear Rose again. Sure, they’d been calling every day, but in the privacy of the night, it felt nice to just whisper hushed adorations aline. If Juleka closed her eyes, she could imagine herself finally home, back in her girlfriend’s arms. Soon.

 

“I’ve been missing you so much, Jules, it’s so lonely without you.” Rose whined sadly. Juleka hummed sympathetically, her own heart twinging at what felt like an eternal loneliness. This had been the longest she’d ever been from Rose, and she never wanted to be this far again.

 

“Just a little more, and then I’ll be home,” Juleka promised, holding her phone so close to her face she was worried the light would burn into her eyes. She imagined squeezing Rose’s hand and it just made her miss her more, “We should absolutely go on a date once I’m back.”

 

“Oh my god please, I can’t wait,” She said, and Juleka smiled a little at the way Rose would clasp her hands together and sigh. “I don’t know where we should go. So many places are so, scary, now I guess. Because of all the akuma attacks?”

 

Juleka’s face fell, heart squeezing tight. She wasn’t wrong for feeling that way. It felt like so many places Juleka had passed by so thoughtlessly before had become stained with memories- no matter how many times Ladybug cleaned them of her blood. The movie theater was always flooded in her mind, the pool felt like it was going to swallow her whole– even the roof tops, a view only Panthera got, it felt like she’d be dragged underneath the sands of time once more.

 

She wondered what life would be like, if she wasn’t Panthera. If someone else had been chosen. Rolling away from her phone- Juleka stared up at the ceiling tiredly, rubbing the soft texture of her blanket. It wouldn’t change much would it. Akuma attacks would still happen. But Ladybug wouldn’t be protected by me. Juleka thought. I wouldn’t be able to protect her. She could feel her cat ears droop, even though she wasn’t transformed, like a ghostly feeling she knew was there. 

 

It doesn’t matter if I’m Panthera or not. Her eyebrows furrowed. Rose is the one who deserves to live normally. I wanna take her to the places she wants to go. I want her to have good days. I don’t want anything else ruined for her.

 

“I’ll do everything in my power to make a world where you don’t have to fear having fun ever again,” Juleka whispered mindlessly into the dark. She squeezed her ring tight.

 

“So you DO work with the heroes!”

Juleka blinked.

 

“Hwuh?” She turned to look at her phone confusedly. Rose was holding her fists up, shaking them.

 

“You always talk so familiarly about them! You know everything about them! They always flock to you! Panthera already knew we were dating! Do you have connections with Alya? Is that how? Are you all friends? Do you guys secretly hang out? Are you gonna put a personal hit on Hawkmoth for me? Is that what’s happening? Have you done it before?

 

“Wh- What?” Juleka sputtered, then it all processed and she wildly shook her head. “N-No! No no no! I- I just work for the Ladyblog, Rose! I don’t even interview them! I just hold the camera!”

 

“You interviewed the Shanghai hero!” Rose pointed out 

 

“Cause Alya wasn’t here! I was shaking the entire time!” Juleka squeaked, hiding behind her hair. She sighed heavily. “I dunno why I said all that.”

 

“The, ‘I’ll do everything in my power’ thing?” Rose asked, and she nodded. Her girlfriend giggled, “I found it endearing.”

 

“But I don’t really have a lot of anything I can do about it,” She said. Her face drifted. “That’s... The heroes’ jobs.”

 

“I guess. But you already make my world so much brighter every day.” Rose pointed out sincerely with such astounding ease. It made Juleka’s heart do flips, seeing that smile. “If you do get to talk to Panthera though, tell her I think she’s very pretty and cool.”

 

“I thought you liked Ladybug.” Juleka snorted.

 

“I do! But Panthera is my favorite.”

 

“Tsk. She’s overrated.”

 

“UNDERRATED!”

 

“She stole my thing; only one goth girl who dies constantly in Paris at a time.” Juleka scoffed playfully. She rose an eyebrow, “And she tried to steal my girl.”

 

“Nooo she was so nice!” Rose whined, “She’s flirty but her heart is gold!”

 

“She’s kinda a whore.”

 

“NOOO!”

 

 

“That fashion show went well, sir. You must be happy.” 

 

“Hmngh.”

 

Or not. Nathalie wouldn’t kick herself for trying, but maybe sparing some shame for thinking anything would save Gabriel from his fury over the Shanghai operation wouldn’t hurt. They’d lost the chance to harness a powerful ancient weapon, and the heroes got a new ally in return.

 

“At least now, you’ll be able to spend time with your son.” She tried to reason but still, Gabriel didn’t face her- glaring daggers at his reflection against the window. Nathalie’s eyebrows raised, realizing, and then grimacing, “You had plans, sir. You made plans with your son. To spend time with him in Shanghai.”

 

“I can’t waste a moment planning for the next disaster with those two brats.” Gabriel snapped at her. He turned around to glower at her. “He has those friends to hang out with. He’ll forget about those plans soon enough.”

 

The glimmer of his ring caught her eye and.. she failed to speak against him. Her heart squeezed in her chest- the shame prickling inside her- as she fought for a potential topic swap. 

 

“What.. do you think of his friends?” Nathalie asked, before remembering who she was talking to again and hastily added, “Would they make good akumas?”

 

“Hm.” Gabriel paused for a long time, glasses glinting with the light pouring into the room. He held his hands behind his back and hummed. “The one Adrien brought, I did not imagine it would be her. I was hoping it would be Ms Rossi.”

 

“Juleka. Juleka Couffaine.” Nathalie said, tapping her fingers to her tablet. She seemed full of so much potential in life, and yet seemed so prepared to die at any moment. But.. Nathalie could imagine why. “She’s the one who got hurt during the Prince Shining attack. She’s a nice girl. She’s saved Adrien’s life twice now—“

 

“She’s rather simple to me.” His response surprised her, and she fell silent as he waltzed into an analytical haze. “She’s the poor one, correct? She just works for what she needs. She fights for it. How simple. She has no ambitions. The amount of times I’ve failed to akumatize her and she just failed to notice the butterfly at all… all my akumas sent to her have come back white and purified for no reason..”

 

“You. You’ve tried to akumatize her?” Nathalie whispered, shocked, but Gabriel just continued with an eye roll.

 

“I find no use out of her, really. For all her horrible and conflicting emotions I sense from her heart, she only stews in it, and if I forced an akuma onto her, I find that she’d just sit and crumble.” Gabriel sighed, readjusting his brooch. Nathalie’s shoulders slackened.

 

She didn’t find the young girl like that at all. Juleka was a nice girl. Adrien’s eyes lit up around her. Nathalie thought about how she was weirdly good at chess and what she’d said to Adrien.. about death. It was so macabre. And yet so.. at peace. Such an object of misfortune at every step it seemed, a girl so in love with Life she couldn’t help but attract jealous Death. Had the world given up on protecting her? 

 

And Nathalie would never forget how she’d saved Adrien that night. Ms Couffaine had always slipped under her radar until then, she was nothing but another classmate until she was rushing on stage and taking steel to her gut for her boy— and then taking on danger again earlier that week. She did so much for others, dying for them.

 

And she was deemed as just simple to Gabriel? Nathalie shook her head. Why was she getting so invested in some random child? Maybe.. because she reminded her of.. Focus. She scolded herself. Don’t project on random teenagers.

 

“What about Ms Dupain-Cheng? She’s very talented. You approved of her before, her fashion work in that hat contest.” Nathalie quickly asked. “Maybe it’s time you take on a real apprentice—“

 

“Absolutely not.” Gabriel scoffed, waving his hand. “Disregarding my task as Hawkmoth… She is far too ambitious.”

 

“Ambitious?” Nathalie parroted.

 

“There’s a hungry look in her eyes,” Gabriel murmured, stepping by the window again and glaring into his reflection with a bitter tsk. “Adrien tells me about that one. Her work is, incredible for a child. Yes. But there’s something about how quickly she’s transcended. Searching her name, she is praised by far too many powerful people. People are never just grateful about that, eventually they thirst to use the people around them, no matter how seemingly pure. And people with hungry eyes, are never to be truly trusted.”

 

“Even, a child?” Nathalie squinted. Gabriel didn’t reply to that for a moment, just scowled with a dark glaze in his eyes. “You’re not expecting a teenager to secretly be a manipulative mastermind?”

 

“You are aware.. that the only obstacles of our goals- for the past year and a half- have been nothing but children?” He hissed at her with venom against his tongue. Nathalie wilted in reaction and he sighed, waltzing his way over and smiled warmly. “But we’ll defeat them. And everyone will see we were right by the end of things. We just need to keep digging.” 

 

A long and chilling silence filled the room as she failed to respond. Slowly, his grip tightened on her shoulder and she was jolted to respond.

 

“R—Right, sir.” Nathalie smiled. She glanced down, “We’ll keep on digging. And… I’ll be helping you all the way.” She squeezed her fist at her side, feeling the way the edges of the peacock brooch dug into her palm. Even if it breaks me.

 

“I knew you would, Nathalie. Come now, there’s work to do.” Gabriel strode forward past her into his dark office space, “For the future, Adrien may continue talking with this Juleka girl, but I suggest we lengthen the distance between him and the fashion designer. I find her as a potential bad influence. If we want everything to succeed we need to make sure we control everything we can.”

 

“Right, sir.” Nathalie whispered, closing her eyes and freezing her heart, “ Right.”




Notes:

Sorry for the wait! I hope you enjoy this sort of vignette chapter! Just wanted to wrap some final things up with this setting. Now that Shanghai is over, I have only one last thing to say;

I hope you are excited for Panthera Noire Season 3

Notes:

Check out my tumblr for more content, art, brainstorming, and a whole lot of shitposts and spoilers:
https://justanotherpersonsuniverse.tumblr.com/

Thank you to Ghostajoes on Tumblr for being a constant source of inspiration!

Series this work belongs to: