Actions

Work Header

A promise made from simpler days

Chapter 3: Hayate Gekko ch 3

Chapter Text

A/N Thanks for your reviews and support.

Hihi: thanks for your review, my friend. Sorry, it took so long for me to come back to this fic. I got drawn into another fandom and I forgot. No matter if he stays or if he goes he will have to prove himself. Murim life would give him a fresh start. Village life would mean pushing through their prejudice. There are many things that could go right or wrong with him in the village. Such as if he wasnt there would they have survived Gaara's attack? Gaara wouldn't have gained a heart without Naruto I don't think. You've given me a lot to think about.

DarkRavie: thanks for your review, my friend.

CAD270895: thanks for your review, my friend. I'm so glad you enjoy it!

I'm alive! And this is not abandoned! I was just pulled into another fandom. I promise that this fic isn't abandoned though. Not male/male.

Naruto's POV

Classes that day went about as well as he expected. Iruka sensei watched him with curious eyes while the other teachers ignored him. Naruto wrote down notes in order to do better in class.

Hayate warned him that he wanted to be acknowledged then he had to do better in class. It wasn't all about being good at practicals. He needed to have the knowledge behind it as well.

So he tried his best to pay attention and take notes. By the end of classes, his hand cramped from writing so much. It was worth it though maybe he would actually pass his next test.

As soon as the class was dismissed he ran off towards the training grounds. Hayate promised to be there when he arrived. The promise of swordsmanship was too much for him to linger.

When he entered the training grounds he found Hayate in his civilian clothes. He wore a black shirt and grey pants. The leaf headband was still being used as a bandana. His warm brown eyes lit up when they saw Naruto's arrival.

A small tentative smile crossed the blonde's face in return. There was still an unsureness about him. As much as he wanted to trust Hayate it wasnt there. Not yet.

There was a bag lying at the man's feet that caught his interest. Could he be keeping the swords within it?

At his glance, Hayate smiled and said, "There are swords in there Naruto. Two wooden practice blades with special weights within them to feel grow heavier as you become stronger. It will stop when they are at the correct weight for a real blade. My old training sword is also within it. When I feel you have come far enough I will let you keep my training sword."

Naruto responded, "Yes sensei!"

Hayate brought out the two wooden swords and handed one to the blonde. The sword was heavy in his hands it wasnt more than he could handle. It would be a strain on his muscles to use continuously.

Hayate lowered his sword to lay it on the grass. He gently wrapped his hands around the boy's wrists. Firm hands guided him into a grip.

Hayate calmly said, "When you draw your sword this is how you should hold it. Keep your elbows bent and be up onto the balls of your feet."

Naruto moved up onto the balls of his feet. Adjusting his body to the correct form felt awkward. Even more so as Hayate adjusted the form silently.

They went through the basic form a few times to make sure that Naruto had it. Then came the practice. The first four katas were shown to him and Naruto tried to copy. Then Hayate would call him to a stop to adjust his form.

By the end of the practice his arms burned with exertion. While he tried to keep in shape the best he could he was by no means the strongest. Even his next to unlimited stamina was nearing its end.

Hayate explained as he began to put away the swords, "Your muscles aren't used to this level of exercise. They will be sore for a while until you get used to the exercises. I suggest a warm bath to loosen your muscles before bed."

"Thank you sensei!"

No one had ever cared to tell him how to ease muscle pains. Still, he had to be cautious. Hayate could be like Iruka sensei. Pretending he cared but in truth thinking no more of the blonde-haired child than the rest.

One day he would be the best and they would regret looking down on him. Until that day he would continue to improve himself. He had to be stronger than anyone else.

Naruto was about to leave the training ground. However, he hesitated and glanced back. As if sensing his gaze Hayate looked up questioning in his eyes.

Without saying anything Naruto turned back and left the grounds. He couldn't shake the feeling that there was something different about the man. For now, he would wait it out and see if his attitude continued.