Actions

Work Header

Adelaide

Summary:

Adelaide, like her Grandfather John Hammond, has always been considered an oddity to her family. An avid traveller and writer, she is never in one place for too long.

One chance encounter; an extraordinary island, and a few dinosaurs to boot, change Adelaide's perspective on life, love and herself - in more ways than she could ever imagine.

Ian Malcolm/OC

All characters ar not mine apart from Adelaide and any others not in the Jurassic Park books or films!
Copyright - it is illegal to use, sell or buy content without express permission of the author.

Chapter 1: Chapter One - The Island

Chapter Text

Chapter One: The Island

 

Isla Nublar, 1993

Adelaide

 

The journey by helicopter transporting Adelaide from the Pacific Coast, to the small tropical island of Isla Nublar, did not take very long. Set with dense, thick jungle and often wrecked with torrential thunderstorms, the once uninhabited patch of land now homed a small collection of very dedicated human beings.

Her Grandfather, John Hammond, being one of those people.

Adelaide viewed the green tops of the trees whip past in a flurry, blanketing the land and rendering it impossible to see what lurked beneath. This was her favourite part about travelling – the not knowing, the guessing, the wondering of what adventure may lay ahead. At 27 years old, she was not shy of experiences. Her travels had taken her all over the globe.

She owed a lot of proficiency to her Grandfather, who from time to time dipped into his pockets and offered her a bit of ‘wee boost’. Her parents refused to acknowledge their daughter anymore and sometimes working wasn’t quite enough to pay the travel expenses.

It was for this reason that she now occupied the descending chopper, the powerful wind sheers causing it to jerk and drop in unexpected intervals (she was grateful not to have eaten lunch yet). Hammond didn’t ask her for much, but when he’d excitedly invited Adelaide to see his new ‘exhibits’, well, her curiosity peeked.

A bonus, was also his promise that she may write an article about her experience on the island. Adelaide did get paid to send in her entries to the Globe Traveller magazine, but her inspiration had run dry as of late. She really needed the fresh story, and what better than the exclusivity of her Grandfather’s endeavour?

Finally, set on solid ground, Adelaide flipped open her seatbelt. A man in kaki-shorts strolled up to the helicopter pad, holding a sandy brown hat onto his head prevent it being blown off. He wore knee length safari socks, with hard wearing boots that matched the overly UV exposed complexion of his face. He looked like one of the men she’d worked with in the South African Bush – all professionalism and stoic seriousness.

“Afternoon, I’m Robert Muldoon, I work for you Grandfather,” He announced in a familiar British accent. Adelaide smiled, taking his hand as he shook hers strongly. His hand was rough and calloused, from years of working outside.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Adelaide but call me Aida,”

“You need help with any bags?” He asked matter of fact, as she swung her backpack over her shoulder.

“Oh no, I only travel light,” She gestured to said bag and the man nodded, beckoning her forwards and jumping down off the platform. Adelaide followed him eagerly, her laced boots crunching on the gravel.

“I’m going to have to be quick dropping you off, if you don’t mind. A few of the…assets, have been giving us trouble,” He said this with a tang of disapproval in his tone, dark eyes forward as they sped off into the trees. A road meandered through the thick brush, sometimes the leaves or branches hitting the windows as if trying to claw inside the vehicle.

“I would love to know what these assets are, Granddad has been extremely secretive,” Adelaide hinted, seeing the man’s lips twitch a bit.

“You’ll get nothing out of me jongeen’,”

“jy ken Afrikaans? (You speak Afrikaans?)” She asked and smiled when he turned to her in surprise. People, she found, were often surprised by her.

“I lived in South Africa for many years,” Robert nodded his head.

“I volunteered out there for a year,” Adelaide spied a large set of gates, at least a good mile away, but she couldn’t make out the writing. They were impressively large, made, it would seem, to create an impression. “So, this is some sort of park…? Like…an amusement park?”

Muldoon just tapped the side of his nose and she sighed, leaning back and continuing to gaze out of the window until the jeep finally crunched to a halt.

When she stepped from the vehicle her nose was immediately assaulted by the smell of thick, dense humidity. It was jungle heat, the type no one understood properly until they felt it for themselves. It hit you like a wall and made you instantly wish you were wearing less clothing.

Adelaide turned to see her Grandfather hurriedly hobbling down a set of steps, his walking stick clacking over the concrete. John Hammond was the eccentric of her family, the one they all talked about with exasperated sighs and rolled eyeballs. He outstretched his arms in welcome. “Adelaide! My dear girl!”

“Hey Granddad!” She beamed, embracing the old man tightly.

“Let me look at you then,” Hammond regarded her with a warm look in his eyes, which were covered with his square rimmed specks. “You get more beautiful every time I see you! She is stunning is she not Robert?” - Adelaide blushed as he continued - “Well, you are! Thank you for bringing her my friend,”

“It’s not a problem John, anytime. I’m sure I will be seeing you around soon, good to meet you,” Muldoon tipped his hat towards Adelaide who smiled at him brightly.

“You too! Thanks!” She heard his jeep roar to life as she turned back to her Granddad. “I’m dying to know this secret of yours, will you not at least tell me something?”

“All in good time, my dearest. First things first, I will show you to your rooms for the weekend, and then I’ve had our chef rustle up a spectacular lunch – I hope you’re a fan of enchiladas – we spared no expense you know!” Hammond led her forwards, babbling away at ninety miles per hour. He had not changed, well, save for the greyness of his hair and the prominent crow’s-feet in the corners of his eyes. She always suspected her Granddad would out last them all – but age, it seemed, caught up with everyone in the end.

By the time they sat down for lunch, Adelaide was starving. She learned that including she, Lexi and Tim, there would also be four others joining them for the park tour. Two palaeontologists – Alan Grant and his partner, Ellie Sattler. Both experts in their fields. The third was a Lawyer, Donald Gennaro who had been instructed to inspect the park for future investors based on safety and profitability. He had invited the fourth guest, Dr Ian Malcolm. Her Grandad’s voice lilted in annoyance at the mention of the man, who was a Mathematician and a Chaotician (whatever that was).

Adelaide was quite excited she would be exposed to such intelligent people. She often wondered what direction her life would have taken if she’d taken the path her parents planned out for her. After completing her English degree (which was a waste of a degree – according to them), her father was adamant she finalised her education with a masters and PhD qualifications. Adelaide decided against it – she wanted real life experiences, whilst she was young enough to acquire them.

Life was short, and she did not intend to waste it.

“When will these other guests of yours be arriving then?” Adelaide asked Hammond after they’d stuffed themselves with excellent food. She finished the rest of her glass of white wine, thoroughly enjoying the time spent with her Grandfather.

“Tomorrow morning. I will go and fetch them myself – I would have come for you today dear but we’ve had a few issues with our attractions,” He looked regretful, the man did know how to worry.

“It’s no problem, I’ve travelled through rural China by myself. I think I can handle a helicopter ride,” She said teasingly, then looked at him in all seriousness. “Honestly though Granddad, you can’t keep me in suspense until tomorrow!”

Hammond chuckled at her, thoroughly enjoying the game he was playing. “Fine fine, follow me and we will go for our own little adventure around Jurassic Park,”