Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2019-05-21
Completed:
2022-12-22
Words:
35,381
Chapters:
16/16
Comments:
3
Kudos:
12
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
1,213

Slaves and Warriors

Chapter 13: Chapter 11

Notes:

warning: contains mentions of birth, degradative language mention

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Blue walked back to her own quarters, dodging a few people, as she cursed at herself for falling for Crash. 

“What are you thinking, Blue? Are you this stupid?” She mumbled to herself. “You’re a princess, he’s a normal peasant. Oh, but he is sweet and understanding. He’s liking you, too. No, he couldn’t be. Maybe. No.” She groaned in frustration. “Why is this so complicated?” 

She was too focused on her feelings for Crash and on her way back to Ferdinand and Java until she heard panting and quick footsteps approaching her. She turned to find Sam, his hands on his knees and facing the ground. 

“Sam? What is it?”

“Mo-Moses,” he panted heavily. “He’s-he’s…”

“What about him? Did something happen?” Blue was starting to become worried for him. 

“You need to-you have to come see this.” 

She could tell by the looks of his eyes that something really is happening, but she didn’t know if it’s good or bad. And she wasn’t going to wait around to find out. 

She followed behind Sam as he started rambling to her. “At first, he was fine, he wasn’t having any problems whatsoever. But then he started having those pains-“

“How bad? How bad are they?”

“Like, really bad. We don’t know what’s wrong, but we’re trying everything we can.”

As they got closer to where Moses is in, people had gathered around, chattering among themselves and trying to get a closer look at what is happening. 

She found Nabel, who is standing with Mariam with a towel and a bowl of water. “Guys! Guys!” Blue called for them. 

They thankfully turned their attention to her. “Blue! Thank God! There’s something wrong with Moses,” Nabel said to her worriedly. 

“I know, that’s what I’ve been told.”

“We’re trying everything we can, and we haven’t figured out…”

“Did you get everyone else?”

“Yes, we have. They’re already here right now, or they’re on their way…”

“Nabel! Thank the heavens you’re here!” Gamora rushed out of the tent. “We need the healers here now!”

“Why? What is happ— Blue? Blue!” Nabel saw that Blue was gone, then saw her running in the tent where Moses is. 

She shoved her way through the gathering crowd, all while her mind was going through on what was happening with the older man. Through an opening, she could see the backs of the healers that were all blocking the view of Moses. 

“Oh, my heavens!” One screamed. “Someone get Tzipporah now!”

“Excuse me, sorry,” Blue grunted as she passed one of the Hebrews. “Moses! Moses! Hang on!” 

That’s when a shrill wail broke open and the chattering stopped. 

A wail that sounded like an infant. 

The people stopped chattering, some of them gasping and parting away for her to come through. Blue stopped for a small moment but gently shoved her way through a few more people as the wail ceased down to cooing. When she finally got to the clearer front, her eyes landed on the shocking sight in her life. A small gasp left her lips without her even realizing it. 

Moses sat on the floor, holding something in his arms and soothing it. He was covered in sweat and his hair was messy, a blanket covering the lower half of his body and his legs. 

‘What happened to him?’ Blue thought, staring at the event that had happened before her. 

She wanted to get a closer look at it. Her internal mind was begging for her to stop, but she didn’t listen. She took a hesitant step forward. As she did so, Moses looked up and saw her before smiling warmly. She stopped suddenly, unsure of what to do next. 

“It’s alright,” he said to her. “He must be wanting to see you, too.”

Blue, although hesitant, stepped closer, her breathing light and her hand covering half of her mouth. She knelt down beside him and gasped when she saw the small bundle clearly. 

A baby, a newborn boy, she understood. 

“Oh, my God,” Blue whispered. “He’s so beautiful.” 

The baby cooed and rubbed his eyes with his small fists. When he opened them, he first saw Blue, then his father, and raised his arms up at him. 

Blue could barely hold back her tears and covered her mouth, muffling her happy sobs. 

“What? What just happened?” Dean asked softly. 

“It’s a miracle,” someone said. 

“A gift from the gods above.” 

Soon, the silence was half-broken by soft murmurs and quiet ‘awws’ as the people in the tents got a closer look at the infant from a good distance. 

Blue was already in quiet tears as she continued to stare at the infant. By then, Tzipporah made it to the front of the crowd and noticed Blue shaking a bit. 

“Blue? What’s wrong?” She asked her with concern. 

The younger girl glanced at her with happy tears before gesturing towards the baby boy in Moses’s arms. She then got up gently from the ground to give Tzipporah room and took a few steps back. 

“Oh, my...” Tzipporah whispered, covering her mouth in shock. She was already in too much astonishment to ask what or how this happened. Her own eyes were already filling up with tears as well. 

Blue got up from the ground to give the two new parents some space, but her warm smile remained on her face. She didn’t to ask how it happened, she already knew the answer. 

“Blue.” 

The blonde-haired girl turned towards the source, which is outside the tent. Blue backed away towards the front, where, luckily, some people let her pass without asking her. After checking to see that no one is watching her at the moment, she followed the voice until she is but a good distance from the campground. 

“Blue,” the voice called to her quietly again. 

The wind then blew across her face tenderly, her blonde locks flowing from the gusts. “I am here,” Blue spoke. 

“You have seen the miracle I have bestowed upon Moses,” God spoke to her from above the night stars. 

“I saw,” Blue nodded, a brief grin on her lips. “A beautiful miracle...All the same...” her smile fell after a moment. “What if my father was right? What if I’m truly an abomination, like Raiven? That I have shamed all of Maplebarrow...and my family?” 

Visions of Raiven being taken away, her father destroying the things she had created with her bare hands, his enraged and disgusted look facing her before her escape, overtook her mind. Blue felt tears demanding to be set free from her eyes and turned to the ground. 

“Everything your father had said to you, he was wrong about them, about Raiven...about you,” God said. “It wasn’t your choice to be who you are right now, but rather who you are meant to be.” 

Blue glanced up surprised, just as God was vanishing away again. “I shall be with you, Blue...” 

She stared up at the stars in the night sky, the marks of her tears streaking her cheeks. She remembered Raiven arguing with the King about her sexuality the night she made her escape, her words filled with solemnness and desperation. 

“I had no choice! It was what I couldn’t control, it wasn’t my decision! I’m not changing who I am!”

Then it all hit her. 

She now knew what she and God had meant by those words. 

Her mind shifted to the memories when she was younger, how her cheeks would turn red at each and every man and girl in the village, about how she acted around Raiven during their long-time friendship, about how her friend revealed her secret to her during their outing in the village. 

She understood what they had both meant. 

Java barked next to her feet, which caught her attention, and wagged his tail happily. Blue smiled and scratched at the back of his ear. She then turned towards the camping grounds, where everyone is right now. 

“I’m not giving up on them now…” she told herself proudly. “…not when they need me…and I need them…” 

Notes:

Sorry this took so long, and that the chapter is short. I will update this story as soon as possible