Actions

Work Header

Wrong Number

Chapter Text

image

Shortly after moving to Washington with Chris, he was off filming another movie; The Magnificent Seven. You had wanted to go with him, but you also needed some time to yourself. Chris had been right, the farm was secluded, far enough away from town and prying eyes. He wanted to make sure that you got plenty of alone time, though you weren’t really alone.

There were plenty of sheep and cattle to keep fed, to clean up after on a daily basis. Enough so that you stayed fairly busy on a day-to-day basis. Granted, Chris had hired several other men to help when he wasn’t around. There were times that you went fishing, the same place where Chris ventured, where he had sent you the picture that started your relationship. It was peaceful and serene, and absolutely perfect.

Early evenings were your favorite time of the day. The sun dipped down in the sky, its colors glittering on the lake like bright gems, acting as an opening number for the stars that would emerge. More often than not, you’d wrap a blanket around yourself and sit on the porch swing, staying there until the cold seeped into your bones, leaving your teeth chattering and your fingertips numb, nothing a hot bath couldn’t fix.

Chris called you every chance he got. It wasn’t daily, but it was enough to help ease the discomfort of being so far away from him. He was always smiling and bubbly, telling you about goofing off with his costars. In exchange, you told him about what you did to occupy your time in his absence.

Sleeping without him was hard. You’d grown accustomed to the thick weight of him at your back, pressed to your chest, legs tangled together, his fingers in your hair, lips pressed to your forehead. You’d never slept as well alone than you did with him. Last night was no exception.

You tossed and turned, couldn’t get comfortable long enough to fall asleep. It was too hot, so you kicked off the blankets. Then, it was too cold, so you pulled them back on. One leg out, both legs in, beating your pillow into submission; nothing worked. The only reason you fell asleep after two in the morning was because you hadn’t slept well the night before and you were exhausted.

It was raining when you woke, the sky grey and blurry, streaked with lightning, thunder booming through the clouds, shaking the house, scaring the animals. They scurried across the fields and into the protection of the barn, bellowing in protest as they went.

After going to the bathroom and brushing your teeth, you grabbed a book and climbed back into bed. With as dreary as it was outside, you had no doubt you wouldn’t get much reading done, but it was the thought that counted, right?

You weren’t sure how long you had been reading, but the words began to blur together and the book slipped from your fingers, landing against your chest with a dull thud. When the bed shifted, you groaned in irritation, shoving your face into the pillow and groaning. A heavy arm settled over your hip, pulling you into a body whose thickness and taut muscles you had memorized. You shifted against Chris, sighing happily.

“Hey, sleepy head,” Chris purred, his lips on your neck.

You hummed in contentment, not fully realizing that you weren’t dreaming. “Don’t wanna wake up.”

Chris’ whiskers tickled your skin, making you wince and shift against him. “That’s alright,” he assured you, his voice thick and weary. “I could use a nap, too.”

“I like the sound of that,” you confirmed with a yawn. You gripped the hand he had pressed to your stomach and brought it up so you were more or less cuddling with his arm. His chuckle rumbled against your back as he curved his body around yours and your legs tangled together.

The smell of bacon woke you. At first, your heart hammered painfully against your rib cage for approximately ten seconds as you scanned the bedroom with wide eyes. There, at the end of the bed, was Chris’ suitcase. So it hadn’t been a dream!

You quickly brushed your teeth and ran a brush through your hair before going to find your boyfriend. The sight of him in front of the stove, singing low and under his breath, in front of the stove made you smile. You wrapped your arms around his waist and pressed a kiss between his shoulder blades.

“I thought I was dreaming,” you told him. “You should have told me you were coming home.”

Chris gave your hands a squeeze. “I wanted it to be a surprise.”

“Mission accomplished.” You peered around him to find a pan of bacon sizzling, another pan filled with hash browns, and yet another pan ready to fry some eggs. “Breakfast for dinner?”

“Breakfast for a midnight snack,” he corrected you playfully.

You glanced at the clock as you pulled away from Chris, your hands lingering on his hips. “Damn, I didn’t think I was thattired.”

“It’s all that fresh air you’ve been getting,” he said with a smile, turning just enough to kiss you before turning his attention back to the food.

“I’ve had to keep myself busy while you’ve been gone. Otherwise, I’d go crazy.” You grabbed a couple of plates and glasses, two sets of silverware, and grabbed the orange juice and butter from the fridge while the bread toasted.

Chris turned off the burners and loaded up each plate before following you to the table. “Sorry.”

“Hey, no,” you admonished him gently, reaching over to grab his hand. “It’s part of the territory that comes with dating you. I’m not complaining.”

“I want you to tell me if that ever happens, if you can’t handle it anymore.”

Confusion rocketed through you. Was he trying to tell you something? “I will.”

He gave you a soft smile and nodded. “Okay, good.”

You could see the anxiety flickering in his eyes, and the sight of it made your stomach drop. “Chris?”

“I was going to wait,” he announced as he stood, your hand now gripped tight in his.

The sight of him dropping to the floor, on one knee, and a nervous smile tugging on his lips made your heart stop beating altogether. “What’s going on?”

“I can’t imagine the rest of my life without you, sweetheart,” Chris said, tugging something from his pocket.

God, you couldn’t breathe and your heart just started kicking into overdrive. Your eyes went wide as Chris opened the small box, revealing a diamond ring. A small gasp escaped you and tears stung your eyes.

image

“Would you do me the honor of marrying me?” he asked roughly, emotion clogging his throat.

“Yes,” you rasped, tears falling down your face. “Yes!”

Chris let out a shuddering breath as he removed the ring from the box and slid it onto your finger. Once it slipped over your knuckle, you launched yourself at him, catching his lips in a passionate and searing kiss. When you pulled back to breathe, he swept his thumbs across your cheeks, wiping away the tears as best as he could.

“God, I can’t wait to marry you,” he murmured.

With your hand on his chest and his heart hammering against your palm, you couldn’t stop staring at the ring. “Chris, this is… it’s gorgeous. When did you even have the time -”

“First weekend after we started filming,” he interrupted, answering your unfinished question. “I’d known for a while that I wanted to marry you, I just needed to get you a ring.”

“You didn’t need to get me anything,” you assured him. “I don’t need a ring to marry you.”

Chris held your face in his hands and kissed you firmly, tugging your bottom lip between his teeth. “I wanted to,” he growled. “In fact, there are a lot of things I want to do right now.”

“Oh?” you purred, your arm curling around his waist. “And what did you have in mind?”

With a wink, Chris stood, tugging you with him as he went. Then, he was picking you up and throwing you over his shoulder, his hand clapping loudly against your ass. You gave a yelp of surprise before giving into the giggles that bubbled in your chest.

“I’ll tell you in the bedroom.”