Actions

Work Header

Wrong Number

Summary:

You accidentally get a text message from someone that reminds you a lot of that guy from Parks and Rec.

Chapter Text


 

You squeezed the bridge of your nose and blew out a heavy breath. It wasn’t that you hated your job, you loved it, really. Becoming a teacher had been a dream of yours since you could remember. It was the politics you hated, the hoops you had to jump through to make sure your students got the best education you could provide. Then there was the money out of your own pocket that you were sure how much longer you could afford. It was all wearing you down.

“Maybe one day,” you rasped after taking a long drink of wine. Another dream of yours was that everyone would understand just how difficult it was. You weren’t just a teacher. You were also non-judgemental, giving them an outlet they might not have otherwise, being an adult that listened, an adult that gave their shoulder for them to cry on. Some students had become close, almost as if they were your nieces and nephews. You always did lead with your heart.

Having finished grading the papers, you set them into your bag, poured the rest of the wine into the glass, and wandered into the living room where you sat on the couch, stretching your legs out on the table.

“Another exciting Saturday night,” you chuckled to yourself as you searched Netflix for something to watch.

You decided just decided on a show that never failed to make you laugh; Parks and Recreation, when your phone chirped. Flipping it over, you didn’t recognize the number that had sent you a text, so you ignored it. It chirped a minute later, making you groan.

Rather than ignore it again, you swiped the screen with your thumb, fulling intending to let the other person know they had the wrong number, but your thumbs halted the moment you saw the extremely attractive man holding up a fish proudly.

image

 

I’m sorry, but I think you have the wrong number, you quickly typed, resting the phone on your thigh as you took a drink, fully intent on watching the show.

Less than thirty seconds later, it chimed again.

Shit. I’m sorry! Hope I didn’t bother you.

You paused the show before answering. You’re not a bother. I was just relaxing with some wine.

I’m more of a beer guy, but I dig wine every now and again.

That just means you haven’t had the right kind, you replied, gnawing on your bottom lip.

It wasn’t like you to text a complete stranger, but there was something about his picture that drew you to him. You wanted to know more about him, find out what his hobbies were - besides fishing, what he feared and loved, what made him laugh. Also, he was kinda hot. Sort of reminded you of someone, but you couldn’t place it.

So I’ve been told.

Tucking your legs beneath you, you stared at the screen for a moment, unsure of what to say, if anything.

That the only fish you caught?

Today? Yeah. They weren’t as frisky as yesterday.

Well, it’s a good sized one for dinner.

I was just about to fry it up. He added a smiley emoji at the end, and you couldn’t help but chuckle.

Again, you weren’t sure what to say, but you found the thought of ending the conversation to be less than desirable.

Beer batter, I presume.

It’s like you know me, or something. A laughing emoji this time.

You added the same emoji to your message. I don’t even know your name, yet, I know what you like to do in your spare time.

Fair point. Name’s Chris. And you are?

Y/N, was your simple response. He had shared only his first name. Who were you to share more?

That’s a beautiful name.

You couldn’t stop the blush that crept up your neck. I was born with it.

Chris sent another laughing emoji. Nice one!

You responded with a winking emoji, nothing more, leaving the ball in his court to see if he wanted to continue the conversation. When Chris didn’t send another message, you couldn’t stop the way your heart sank. You didn’t know what you expected. Chris was a complete stranger who had messaged you on accident.

“Probably just being nice,” you murmured, tossing your phone down.

You resumed watching Parks and Rec, sipping your wine through two episodes before your eyelids started to grow heavy. It was time to brush your teeth and take a shower.

There was a light blinking on your phone when you crawled into bed. You wanted to ignore it, but found yourself reaching for the phone before you could convince yourself otherwise.

Sorry ‘bout disappearing. I was hungry.

Priorities, I get it. God, you hoped he didn’t feel the self-pity on that comment. You really hated yourself sometimes.

Hey, you ok?

You blew out a shuddering breath as you rolled to your back. How the hell were you supposed to answer that? Chris was a complete stranger, he didn’t really want to hear about any of your problems, least of all the anxiety and depression that threatened to take control of your mind.

Y/N?

Shit, you had been lying there for almost five minutes.

I’m fine, Chris. Thanks.

I know we’re only chatting because I text the wrong number like a jackass, but I don’t believe you.

You hated the way your eyes stung as tears tried to form.

There’s nothing for you to worry about, I promise. You decided at the last second to add a thumbs up emoji to emphasize how - not - okay you were.

Would it be weird if I asked for a picture? Just so I know you ain’t lying.

Scoffing, you almost turned off your phone and forced yourself to go to sleep. You should have known better, he just wanted to know if you were pretty. That was what your brain tried telling you. Clearing your throat, you raised the phone and, despite thinking how horrible you looked, sent the first selfie you took.

It took Chris a full minute to say something.

You’re gorgeous.

Prefacing your response with a blushing emoji, you answered, Nah, you’re just saying that.

You calling me a liar?

That made you laugh. Maybe I am.

You weren’t expecting him to send a picture, and when you saw it, you snorted in laughter.

image

 

Legit my face right now.

OMG are you okay? You were laughing so hard it hurt to breathe.

What? It’s my Elvis impression.

You covered your face with your hand as you continued to laugh and took a picture. For the first time in a long time, you didn’t care what you looked like.

There’s your smile.

It comes out every now and again.

It should come out a lot more than that.

And that, Chris, is a long story.

I ain’t going anywhere.

At his words, your heart started pounding in your chest. It had all been fun and games up until now. So why did you feel like opening your closet and showing him all your skeletons. You couldn’t explain it, but you had this feeling he wouldn’t run away screaming.

Maybe another day.

Whenever your ready. I mean it. You can text me anytime.

There was this warmth in your chest that spread to your face. 

I might take you up on that. Goodnight, Chris.

Goodnight, Y/N.