Actions

Work Header

Mistaken and Taken

Summary:

Dracula is back and more determined to finish the Valerious line then ever, yes there are more of them! but now he has a case of mistaken identity on his hands... my first Van Helsing Fic. Please be nice. and please REVIEW! DracXOC, GabrielXOC OCXOC

Notes:

Dracula has a new life, new brides and a new set of Valerious upstarts to deal with, or so he thinks. As a centuries-old vampire, he might think he is beyond being able to be surprised, but he just might be wrong about that.

Chapter 1: Mistaken And Taken

Chapter Text

The young girl of seventeen screamed and her sisters, Sophie, 15 and Clarisse, 19, who shared the room with her, ran in.

“Natalie! What’s wrong?” Claire asked frantically at the sight of her pale and frightened sister.

“N-N-Nosferatu!” she stammered, “ outside the window!”

“Don’t be silly Nat,” that was Sophie, “ there aren’t any Vampires in this area any more. You know that, that’s why mom and dad moved into this place. Though I wonder... why was that... oh, what was his name?” she glanced at Clair who had just finished checking the window and found nothing.

“Raphael Valerious.” Clair supplied, Clair was good with names.

“Yeah him! I wonder why he was so eager to get rid of this place?”

“I’m telling you I saw a vampire it was sitting outside the window staring at me!” Natalie implored her sisters hoping that they would believe her or at least prove to her that she had been wrong, she desperately hoped for the second one.

“Nat, trust me there is nothing out there. Okay?” Clair said gently.

Natalie took some deep breaths to calm down, “ you’re right, Claire, it was probably just my imagination and my eyes playing tricks on me.”

Once Nat had calmed down she and her sisters played chess. Then they told their parents good night and went to bed.

Natalie couldn’t sleep though. She couldn’t stop thinking about vampires. The girl could have sworn she had seen one but Claire had looked and there had been nothing there. Still, Nat couldn’t shake the feeling that someone was watching her. Stop it! She told herself, you are just nervous because it is your first week in a new house. As Nat watched the moonlight dance fluidly across the ceiling she began to feel drowsy and slowly her eyes drooped shut and she fell into a deep sleep.

Sometime later, the latch on the French doors leading to the girls’ balcony opened. Three extremely beautiful women entered and went to stand around Natalie’s bed.

“She is the one the master wants.” Said the eldest bride, who wore an elegant and revealing midnight blue gown that went well with her long black locks.

“But why…” one of the others, a curvy brunette in deep purple, started but was interrupted by the first.

“Hush, Alina! You will wake her and she will wake the whole house. Besides, I would not question the master if I were you… He won’t take it well.”

Nat moaned in her sleep and seemed on the verge of waking. The eldest bride, whose name was Selena, gently touched her fingertips to Natalie’s forehead and the girl sank back into a deep sleep. Then Selena scooped Nat into her arms; the three of them transformed and took off through the open doors.

Sophie lay for several moments frozen in fear by what she had just seen and heard. Finally, she worked up enough courage to run to the other end of the room and wake Clarisse.

Chapter 2: Mistaken Identity

Summary:

Natalie awakens in a strange place only to be confronted by a mysterious man, who seems to have kidnapped her in the night. How will she cope? How will she survive?

Chapter Text

Natalie awoke in a room she had never seen before. The colours were somewhat disturbing, blood red and black with gold accents. It was elegantly furnished with an armoire, vanity, full-length mirror, two armchairs and a chaise. Many candles burned throughout the room and gave off enough light that Natalie could see when she stood up that she was no longer wearing the matching sweats and a tank top that she wore to bed. She was instead wearing a floor-length forest green dress with delicate silver embroidery. After seeing all this she reacted the only logical way, with fear. In fact, Nat was terrified out of her mind. ‘Okay Nat just calm down,’ she thought to herself, ‘just breathe, nothing has happened to you yet. You are still in one piece. Just relax.’
“Good evening.” Said a sophisticated male voice from behind her. Nat gasped and spun around so fast that she almost lost her balance. A few feet away from her stood the most handsome man that Nat had ever seen, but something about him put her on guard.
“It is good to see you have awakened Natalie.” He said with a strong Transylvanian accent. He was absolutely gorgeous! His long raven black hair was held back in a gold clip, but several strands escaped to frame his face. His clothes were luxurious and all black but for some gold trim on the high collar of his jacket. They resembled old army fatigues. Those eyes…they seemed to draw Natalie’s to them and …
‘Wait a minute! Did he just say my name?!’ with that Nat broke free from her light trance-like state. “Where am I? How did I get here? How do you know my name?” she demanded shakily.
He smiled a rather evil looking smile, “I know many things about you Natalie,” he chuckled when he saw the look of fear on her face, “though I must say you have quite a scream.”
At this Nat’s face paled in fear as well as rage, “You were the one who was watching me the other night!” She accused, “Who are you a vampire? And what do you want?!”
“What… a Valerious of seventeen who does not know who I am? Could they really be getting so careless.” He pondered.
This remark surprised the young woman, “Whoa! Rewind for a minute. I am not a Valerious. My last name is Madison.”
Now the vampire, who was Dracula, was getting annoyed, “and yet you live in Valerious Manor which makes me think you are lying, my dear.” The count hissed angrily, he did not like to be lied to.
“Because I live in a house you automatically assume I am a Valerious?” Nat was shouting now, “My parents only bought that house a week ago from some guy named Raphael!”
“Curse that coward son of a bastard! Ten generations of his family die trying to vanquish me… one of them succeeded and he runs away with his tail between his legs!” Dracula muttered to himself.
“Well now that’s all settled, I’ll just be going now,” Nat said as she tried to get around the prince of darkness to the door. The vampire heard this and took hold of her arm, stopping her in her tracks.
“You are not going anywhere Natalie because if I let you go you will tell someone about me and through an inevitable chain of events Rome will find out I am here. They will undoubtedly send a hunter to vanquish me. It is more annoying than anything else but I would prefer to avoid it for as long as possible, so welcome to your new home Natalie.” He walked out the door with a smirk, closing and locking it behind him.
Soon after Nat started pounding on the door and screaming, “Let me out you monster! Let me go! PLEASE! Someone let me out!” She continued this for two hours before she broke down in hysterical tears on the hearth-rug before the fire. That is where Selena found her the next evening in a deep exhausted sleep before gently scooping up the girl and putting her to bed.

Chapter 3: Chapter 3

Summary:

Natalie suffers a depressive episode.

Claire goes to Rome in search of assistance and to track down Raphael.

Chapter Text

Chapter 3

Several days after Natalie had first been captured Selena had just finished checking up on the girl and she was worried. She may have been a vampire but she still had her mothering instincts. The senior bride went over the words she wanted to say in her head as she made her way to the master’s study and knocked.

“Enter…” Came the smooth aristocratic voice from within. Selena slipped into the study closed the door quietly behind her. “Selena, my senior bride this is a pleasant surprise, how may I help you, my love?” Dracula said as he looked up from his papers.

Selena took a deep breath, though she didn’t need to breathe, “Master… why do you keep this girl here? You said yourself it was certain that she is not a Valerious… why do you not release her?”

“Selena, my dearest, I can not release her. She would tell someone of our existence, and it would get back to Rome, who would send someone to try and destroy us.” He replied attempting to sooth his bride’s anxiety.

“Yes but, My Lord, you could easily erase her memory of us could you not? Or is not it likely people would think she was hallucinating if we left her in the forest?” Selena implored, trying desperately not to upset him… she failed.

Dracula’s eyes glowed slightly with annoyance and anger, “Why are you so eager to get rid of this girl, Selena?” The king of vampires growled.

“I am not master… but…” she faltered in the face of her master’s temper as he interrupted.

“Then I do not see what the problem is. What is the matter?” He was practically shouting now.

Selena gave a resigned sigh and answered his question, “she is not eating master…we put the food in her room but she will not touch it. I even had Tasha, one of my maids, sit with her for a time, she either just sat and stared at the food or else she looked out the window. Whenever Tasha tried to initiate conversation Natalie either just stared blankly at her or if it were a yes or no question she would shake or nod her head. It may be that she is suffering from depression and homesickness.” She had been looking at her hands, which were folded together on her dress, now she looked up at her husband, “Did you have to be so harsh with her master? You were not exactly gentle when you told her that she could not leave… we could all hear her screaming and pounding…” Dracula was silent; Selena took it as a sign to continue, “Master please, it has been ten days since we brought her here. If we do not do something she will starve.” She pleaded with him.

Dracula thought for a moment, this was not something he had anticipated. “Very well, my love, when she awakens you and I shall speak with young Natalie, then we will decide on the best course of action.” He gave her a small smile, though he was somewhat confused as to her concern for the girl. He was glad she was or he might have missed the problem completely.

“Thank you, Master, you are most kind.” She bowed and left the room as quietly as she had come.

 

Meanwhile in Rome…

It had taken Clarisse six days to get to Rome from Transylvania. She had heard that Raphael Valerious had run to Rome…well he would need more then some doddering old men in robes to protect him from her wrath. Claire had found out that Raphael had known about the vampires and, because he had not warned them her sister was kidnapped. Claire refused to think Natalie was dead. Claire had been in Rome for three days and it was now her fourth. She had now looked just about every where except Saint Peters. When she arrived, she told the priests that she was looking for Raphael Valerious and that it was of great importance that she find him, but she had been turned away, ‘I thought the church was supposed to help those in need.’ She thought dejectedly. She was about to return home and report to Sophie that no help was to be found when she saw a familiar figure enter the courtyard.

“Raphael Valerious! I need to speak with you.” She shouted and moved to block his path.

“What do you want? I am in a hurry.” Said Raphael, as he attempted to move around her.

“You will listen to me Valerious or God help me I may do something I will regret,” Claire said vehemently unaware that they had an audience of two.

“Go away child I have no time fo-…” his reply was cut off by Claire slapping him across the face. He looked utterly shocked at first then his face began to take on a reddish hue, “What the Hell is wrong with you!” He shouted.

“You lying, deceiving bastard! You knew about those vampires and you sold my parents that house anyway!” she glared at him with tears in her eyes, “they took my sister! They think she is a Valerious. Who knows what they have done to her? She…” Claire choked out her next words, “she… could be…dead! And it is entirely your fault!” she emphasized this last statement by hitting the man some more.

“What do you want me to do? ... Your family is not my problem.”

Claire just stared at him in shock. She pulled out a dagger and lunged at him, “you fucking coward, you bastard, I’ll kill you!” However, before she could stab the last Valerious one of the men who had been watching grabbed her arm and with a gentle but firm hand wrestling the knife from her grasp and pocketing it. After this Claire sank to the ground sobbing in the downpour that had recently started. A small blond friar named Carl was applying pressure to a shoulder wound he had received trying to keep Raphael from stabbing Claire.

“You alright Carl?” asked the man who had taken Claire’s blade in a gruff voice.

“Yes, yes…it isn’t deep.” Said the friar dismissively, “but you,” he turned to Raphael; “you were going to stab a woman?” he looked shocked at that thought.

“She was trying to kill me! What was I supposed to do?” came his waspish reply.

“You are an experienced fighter Raphael… she is not.” The older man’s voice was full of scorn as his black duster flapped in the wind.

“How do you know whether she is experienced or not?” The younger Valerious spat.

“Anyone could see it… the way she held the knife was bad and her stance was weak.”

Meanwhile, Claire’s sobbing had increased in intensity, “Natalie I am so sorry we didn’t believe you…” she looked at the three men standing about her and pleaded, “ Please, please help me… sh-she will die if we don’t do something. If we are not already too late. I-I- I can not just leave her there…”

“Van Helsing… surely we can do something?” Carl said soulfully, he obviously felt for the girl’s pain.

The monster hunter thought for a moment, “of course we will help you. I just have one question.” Claire looked up at him from her position on the ground, “why are you here? Why haven’t your parents come to seek help?”

“Mother and Father don’t know Nat is gone. They left to visit some of dad’s old friends in England the night she was taken and they will not return for three weeks.”

“Carl, inform the Cardinal of our mission and start packing provisions for the four of us.” Van Helsing began as Carl ran off to do as he was told.

“Four?!” Raphael and Claire exclaimed simultaneously.

Van Helsing glared at Raphael and growled, “yes four, you created this mess and you are going to put it right! No matter how much of a bloody coward you are.” Raphael opened his mouth to protest, “Would you like me to ask Cardinal Jinette what he thinks of the situation, come with us freely or have the Cardinal order you to come it makes no difference to me.” Unfortunately, his faith in the man in charge of the order was miss placed.

“Uh excuse me…” Claire started hesitantly as she picked herself up off the ground, “ Mr Van Helsing?”

“Yes miss…” he didn’t smile but his eye were full of kindness this emboldened the teen.

“Clarisse Madison, but you can call me Claire. Mr Van Helsing don’t force him to come he will just begrudge it and be more of a hindrance than a help. Let God be judge of him.” By this time Carl had returned with all the weapons and supplies, they would need. The cardinal followed closely after him.
Cardinal Jinette frowned when he saw Claire, “Van Helsing, do not tell me you actually believe this child’s insane story about Dracula returned from the dead! The girl needs a psychiatrist, not a monster hunter!”

Clair glared daggers at the Cardinal, “I did not say it was Dracula per se I said that vampires kidnapped my sister. From a house we bought from that man,” she gesticulated towards Raphael, “He knew those vampires were about yet he told my family that the area was free of vampires and werewolves. Generations of his family fought vampires and werewolves, they defended the innocent, but he deliberately put us in danger and ran away like the coward he is!” she spat.

The Cardinals face began to colour from suppressed rage, “there she goes again! Insulting a member of one of the most honoured families in the whole history of the Order!”

“I heard it from his own mouth father he admitted it, Carl will back me.” Van Helsing said through gritted teeth, Carl nodded fervently, “besides it is my job to help and protect innocents in need. This girl, Claire, she asked for my help and I intend to give it to her!” he was almost shouting by the end.

The Cardinal threw his hands up in exasperation, “what do I care? I am not your mother! Do what you want Gabriel. But I am telling you this is a waste of time. We have had not a single report of vampires from that area in the eight years since you vanquished Dracula!”

“Thank you for your opinion Jeanette, now if you will excuse the three of us? We have very little time to lose.” Van Helsing said glaring at the Cardinal before he turned and walked towards the stables. Claire just stood there and stared at Raphael who was staring after Van Helsing.

“I hope you can live with yourself if she dies!” She hissed at the last Valerious. Then the young woman turned and raced after Carl and the hunter.

They had been on the road maybe five minutes when Raphael caught up. He had clearly been doing some serious thinking, “You are right Van Helsing… I made this mess I should be the one to put it right… also the young woman.” He took a breath, “What you said about my family, you were right… I am an absolute coward when compared to Boris or Velkan or even Anna.” This last part was hushed and he looked rather ashamed of himself, “I have shamed and dishonoured my family and ancestors but I hope I can begin to put that right. I am sorry, Claire, for the way I acted towards you it was callous and extremely rude. I can see how much your family means to you and that you care for them deeply indeed.”

The nineteen-year-old did not say anything she just simply nodded. Raphael could tell he would have to do more than apologize to gain the young woman’s trust. Van Helsing and Carl were also silent though they shared a look. The four of them then remounted and continued on their way in complete silence except for the sound of hoof beats and the wind blowing through the trees.

Chapter 4: Fear and Conversations

Chapter Text

Chapter 4; Fear and Conversations

In the days since she was held against her will, Natalie’s mind was thrown into a deep depression; she entered a most disturbing state of: crying, staring aimlessly out the window, and sleeping. They left food for her but she wouldn’t eat. Maybe, she thought, if she didn’t eat they would be forced to let her go or she would starve… she quickly dismissed that idea as ludicrous. If this vampire was who she thought he was… and it was just possible, then what would he care if she starved? He would be more likely to just let her rot or use his power to convince her to eat. She thought it much too likely that he would end up turning her from a prisoner into a future bride. None of these options were the slightest bit appealing. Natalie could see no way out of her predicament and so sank further into depression.

Eleven days after her capture Natalie found herself becoming desperate for an answer. Around noon she had all but given up hope, ‘I should just kill myself and be done with it.’ Seconds later the girl realized what she had just thought, ‘Oh my God… No that is not an option what kind of a sick, sorry state am I in?! …. I can’t give up. Claire and Sophie will come for me, they will find some way to rescue me. Besides who says I’m completely helpless! I could still find a way to escape on my own! Either way I will have to keep my strength up so ,No more of this starving myself nonsense.’ These thoughts were all very uplifting and the more she thought about it the less depressed she felt. Natalie resolved eat something the next time they brought food in to her. She would have to be careful though, after not eating for ten days, she could make herself sick. Maybe she would talk to that servant girl as well, ‘what did she say her name was… Tasha that was it!’ She had nothing better to do, so she picked a book from the shelf in her room and began to read. Soon after Natalie found she was unable to stay awake and fell asleep, the book tumbled to the floor next to the bed.

About an hour after Natalie woke up the next day Tasha came in as per usual with a tray of food. She was desperate to get this girl to eat something. After all mistress Selena was counting on her she had sent Tasha in to try and cheer the girl up and encourage her to eat. “Good evenin’ miss, and how are we feelin’ today?” She greeted Natalie cheerfully out of habit, not really expecting an answer.

“I am feeling much better thank you Tasha.” Natalie replied politely in hushed tones.

Tasha was baffled by the first words Natalie had spoken since Tasha was sent to her five days ago. However she recovered quickly, “I brought you somethin’ t’ eat. You must be ‘ungry.” Her voice was calm but Tasha was excited to see that progress was being made; she was truly desperate to get the girl to eat something as her face was starting to look gaunt.

“Thank you… but I’m not really hungry.” Natalie said, even though she had decided to eat she didn’t want to make Tasha suspicious by changing her mind about eating so quickly. After all the maid night suspect that the girl was up to something and she would be right. It wouldn’t bode well for her escape plan if the servant found out about Natalie’s plan which wasn’t fully formed as of yet but the concept was there.

“Please miss you must eat somethin’. You haven’t eat’n anythin’ in twelve days! Please, Miss Natalie you must eat. Please?” Tasha pleaded.

Natalie was about to answer that ‘fine yes she would eat something’ when the door opened and the most beautiful woman Natalie had ever seen entered the room followed by the man she had first spoken to. When she saw him she forgot about the woman as her heart skipped a beat with anxiety.

Tasha was surprised that her master had come to see Natalie as he had put her mistress in charge of that but concealed her surprise and apprehension behind a calm manor. “Master… I was just tryin’ to get Miss Natalie t’ eat some breakfast!”

It was the beautiful woman who spoke next, “it is alright Tasha. We simply wish to speak to Natalie in private.”

Tasha had been worried that the mistress was angry with her for not succeeding in her task, she had never angered easily but frustration could be misdirected at a certain unsuspecting servant. But the gentle way in which she spoke reassured the maid, “as you wish mistress, master.” She replied with a curtsy and left the room quietly closing the door behind her.

Now both vampires turned towards Natalie. The man spoke first, “Good evening Natalie,” his accent still struck her ear pleasantly.

Natalie did not say anything. She just glared at him, carefully avoiding his eyes in an attempt to hide her fear and avoid any tricks he might have up his sleeve.

“Allow me to introduce myself, as I failed to do so when we last met. I am Count Vladislaus Dragulia.” He gave a bow for effect. Natalie just gave a small nod in reply and tried to hide her newly heightened sense of fear. Her worst fears had been confirmed… she was prisoner to the most powerful vampire who had ever lived.

‘Didn’t Van Helsing kill him?’ she thought but didn’t say it out loud. She had always read that Dracula had a bad temper and a short fuse and she would rather not be on the receiving end of that.

The teenager took a moment to look the vampire king over, ‘he looks exactly how I always imagined him… except more real. All I can say is Bram Stoker way off on his description.’ She mentally rolled her eyes; she was talking to herself in her head again.

“I don’t believe you have met my senior bride.” The count continued bringing Natalie out of her reverie, “This is Selena; she will be looking after you from now on with assistance from Tasha. Now Natalie, Selena has informed me that you are not eating. She has also informed me that my manor when we last spoke may have been a little harsh…” then Natalie interrupted which frustrated the vampire lord to no end as he really hated apologizing to anyone, even his brides knew to very rarely expect an apology..

“Harsh! Are you crazy? First you kidnap me and you have the nerve to get mad at me and accuse me of lying. Then when I prove to you that I’m not lying you say that I can’t go home and lock me in a room where I am left to scream myself hoarse! Then to top it all off you completely ignore me and fail to realize that being trapped in here would drive any normal human being to the brink of insanity!” the teen yelled as she glared at the arrogant Prince of Darkness.

The count took a deep breath and counted to ten to maintain his clam, then continued, “I am sorry you feel that way Miss Madison and I … apologize for any hard ships you may have suffered these past ten days on my account.” This was said through gritted teeth as he concluded his rehearsed apology, God how he hated apologizing. “Now if you ladies will excuse me I have some business to attend to. Oh and Selena, my love? Make sure Natalie eats something, you have my permission to use whatever means necessary.” As he said this last part he sent his favourite bride a significant look meant only for her but Natalie also caught its meaning, before he walked out the door closing it with a sharp click. For a moment all was silent in the room while its occupants studied each other. Natalie was nervous as she watched the vampiress trying to remember if Tasha had ever said anything about her mistress. Other than making it completely obvious that she was devoted to her vampire mistress.

At the same time Selena was trying to figure out the best way to deal with Natalie’s unwillingness to eat. She decided it was best to give Natalie an option. “So, Natalie,” the bride began in a calm voice, “will you eat now or will I have to… convince you?” Selena asked making her meaning clear.

“Oh no… uh… that’s alright I’ll eat on my own.” She quickly assured the vampiress, “I’m feeling much better today.”

Selena surprised Natalie by smiling, “good, I really would prefer for it to be your choice to eat. My lord, as you may have realised, has no real preference he just wants you to be well.” Selena could tell the teen did not believe this last statement. The young woman just nodded in reply. This made Selena chuckle. “You need not fear me young one.” She said gently, “my only concern is for your well being… as my master’s guest of course.”

At this time Natalie had picked up a piece of toast and was spreading strawberry jam across it, “I am not afraid.” She replied with determination in her English accent. She then folded the piece of toast in half and ate it.

“You are a very good actress my dear, but you will need more than that to fool my master. Your heart beat tells the true story. We both heard how it sped up when the master entered the room.”

“You have to admit though our first conversation was far from pleasant. Just because he makes me anxious does not mean I am afraid. I should think vampires would make anyone nervous.” Natalie pointed out knowing full well she was lying. She did fear Dracula but for some reason not as much as she had expected.

Selena was silent for a moment. She studied the girl as she took another piece of toast, spread it over with jam, folded it and slowly ate it. “Now that you are eating my master has decided that you will now be allowed to wander about the castle. However for your own safety there are a few things I must warn you about. Firstly be wary of my sisters, my fellow brides. They are not quite as human as I am and much more possessive of the master. Tread carefully around them especially Alina she is the most possessive as well as mean spirited.”

“Just out of curiosity… how many of you are there?” Natalie ventured.

The eldest bride gave a small smile and answered, “There are three of us me, Alina and Aria. Now, when out and about you must watch for the Dewergi, they are small dwarf looking creatures, they should not harm you as my master has forbidden it but I suggest you try to stay out of their way. They can be extremely vicious at times, and if you come across the werewolves just be sure to give them their space.”

“w-werewolves?” Natalie stuttered as her voice raised a couple octaves.

“Do not worry they are well trained, but some of them tend to get irritable and unless you are experienced in dealing with them it is just best to give the master’s pets their space.”

Natalie nodded tiredly though her fears were not entirely assuaged and attempted to stifle a yawn but Selena noticed this.

“For now though you should rest. I am sure you are tired, Tasha will bring you breakfast when you wake up. Just pull the rope next to the bed and she will come serve and help you dress. Your dinner will be served at seven.” After this Selena bid the girl good night and went to feed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Transition to Claire and company…..

It had taken the four of them four days to return to Valerious Manor. Claire used her key to unlock the door and she led them into the entrance hall. “Sophie! I’m back and I brought help!” Claire shouted. The manor was extremely quiet, too quite for anyone’s comfort. “Sophie?” There was no answer, “something is wrong.” The eldest sister whispered just loud enough for her companions to hear. At this Van Helsing readied his automatic cross bow; Raphael unsheathed his silver laced sword.

“Lead the way Claire,” Van Helsing instructed, “We have you covered.”

Claire nodded and proceeded up the stairs. The girl led her companions through the house calling for her sister. They looked in the armoury, the girls’ room, their parents study and every where else Claire could think to look. Finally they entered the library and Claire called out again, “Sophie Marie Madison, this is not funny!” Then to all of their surprise they heard a quiet voice from the rafters.

“Claire is that really you?” They looked up and saw a young girl straddling a ceiling beam and looking down at them. She looked pale and frightened.

“Sophie! What happened? How did you get up there?” Claire asked trying to stay calm as slight anxiety crept into her voice.

“Claire I’m scared. I climbed up here but now I can’t get down and I was so scared that they would come back and find me!” The last part confused Claire but she would ask about that later.

Raphael remembered meeting Sophie. She had been full of energy and was absolutely fearless in exploring the whole manor from tower to dungeon. For some reason he could not fathom Raphael could not stand to see her frightened and he felt he would do whatever he could to make sure that she felt safe.

He stepped forward to speak to the youngest Madison, “It is alright Miss Madison, you can jump, I’ll catch you.” His voice was gentle but firm and his accent gave it a somewhat soothing quality.

“I can’t do it I’m scared! What if I miss?”

“Yes you can,” he reassured, “trust me, I’ll catch you.” The girl still hesitated, “I promise I will not drop you.”

The girl fidgeted and muttered to herself seemingly talking herself around to what needed to be done. When she spoke her voice was quiet and very shaky, “Okay, I’m going to jump now.” She closed her eyes and slide off the ceiling beam. She gave a small squeak of fear before Raphael caught her bridal style. The young woman gave him a weak smile as he gently placed her on her feet.

“On my God! Sophie are you alright? What happened? What the bloody hell were you doing up there in the first place?!” Claire had, by this point, all but lost her cool.

“Claire, relax. I am fine; I don’t even have a scratch.” The youngest sister seemed much braver now that she was not twenty-five feet above the ground, “let me catch my breath and then I will tell you what happened. Who are your friends?” She asked momentarily changing the subject.

Claire took a few deep breaths to help her regain her calm. “Right, Sophie I would like you to meet Gabriel Van Helsing and Friar Carl. They heard about our dilemma and offered their assistance and you’ve already met Mr. Valerious.”

“Miss Madison how many times must I ask you to please call me Raphael?”

“Until I have to stop asking you to call me Claire.” She replied pertly, “you call me by my first name and I will call you by yours.”

Van Helsing stepped in before the two could start bickering as they had been for most of the trip. “Now Miss Sophie, perhaps you can enlighten us as to what took place here in your sister’s absence?”

“Yes what on earth scared you so badly that you had to hide in the rafters?” Carl looked nervous as he considered the possible suspects.

“Vampires of course!” she stated matter-of-factly and looked at her sister, “it was the same ones Claire, except there were only two this time. The brunette and that blonde.”

Claire frowned in worry but Carl asked the important question before anyone else. “What did they want though?”

Sophie hated to be interrupted. Carl, of course, didn’t know this but she glared at him anyway. “I was getting to that. Anyways it was two days ago when they came, it was miserably cloudy, so they were able to be out side. They were only here part of the first day and the night. They must have been here for Natalie’s things because I remember the brunette saying ‘Let’s just get the brat’s stuff and get out of here’ and the blonde was worried about someone she called ‘the master’ hearing but the brunette, I think her name was Alina, told her not to be silly. Oh and the blonde’s name was Aria I remember that too.”

This is where Van Helsing jumped in with a question of his own, “Did they say where they were going?” his interruption caused the girl to scowl.

Sophie thought about that for a moment, “no the brunette just said that they should get back to the castle they did not say a name. But the fact that they were here for Natalie’s things means she is probably still alive!... Right?” she asked the hunter looking hopeful.

“Yes there is a very good chance of that” Van Helsing answered, then thought to himself, ‘but for how long’

Raphael was obviously thinking something similar, “we should all get some rest in preparation for tomorrow, but first miss Sophie and I will go down to the kitchen. After all she has not eaten for three days.”

Claire agreed immediately but Sophie was confused, “what is happening tomorrow?” she inquired.

It was Van Helsing who answered, “Tomorrow we look for your sister.” Raphael nodded in agreement.